Moonlight Sonata

Tayler

Rating: G
Genres: Romance
Relationships: Draco & Ginny
Book: Draco & Ginny, Books 1 - 5
Published: 27/03/2004
Last Updated: 01/04/2004
Status: Paused

It was his life, his soul, the only thing that keeps him alive. What happens when he shares it with another? I changed the some things in the second chapter and sorry bout the mess up.

1. Chapter One

The sad notes of Beethoven’s Midnight Sonata floated around the room, sending it’s player deeper and deeper into depression. The slow piano notes brought back every painful memory he had, flashing them before his eyes like he had been sitting on the sidelines instead of actually experienced them.

His fingers danced on the keys, playing the mournful melody, playing his pain. He loved this piece more than any other, the way it sang every emotion he had with every note that came from the old piano. He swayed back and forth with it, caught up in the music.

At home his mother would sit and listen before letting her own memories surface in her mind and brining forth tears, making his pain grow even more. His father hated it, beating him every time he played it and finally smashing the scared instrument while scolding his son for showing weakness.

But no one could stop him now, not when he sat alone in an abandoned classroom deep in the heart of his school where no one could hear. He had bought his own piano and brought it here, to his room and played away all his sorrow. When he finished, he would leave his beloved and replace the mask of the ice prince he was. He would wander the halls, watching as people cringed at the sight of him. He’d sneer and then walk away, not letting them notice the pain he felt whenever someone shied away from him like that. No one ever noticed.

It became his ritual to come back to his room every night and let his fingers dance once more. He would close his eyes and move his hands gracefully up and down the keys, listening to the sound that came because of it. This was his release and he would die if anyone took it from him.

He played the last note and looked down at the pearly keys, sliding his finger softly over one of them as if caressing it. All his pain, suffering and depression were in these keys. The piano was the most precious thing to him because it was the only one listening. He slid his fingers over the keys once more and jumped when he heard a soft voice from behind.

"That was beautiful," it said, so softly it could have been a whisper. He whirled around to be faced with a girl with crimson hair.

"What are you doing here Weasley?" he asked in a spiteful tone, eyes flashing at the intruder.

"I’m sorry," the girl apologized. "I heard the music and I followed it here." He snorted and turned to close the piano cover but stopped when the girl spoke again. "Please don’t."

"Don’t what?" he snapped.

"Don’t shut it just yet."

"And why not?"

"Please, I just want to hear it once more. Please play it again Draco," the girl pleaded. He cringed at his own name; it was associated with to many hateful things that shouldn’t be uttered in his sanctuary. He turned to look at the girl again and saw the sincerity in her eyes. Not being able to say no, he nodded slightly and pushed the cover back. Once again, Beethoven’s piece sang out in the darkness of the room. He played it with just as much passion as he did every time, making the sad melody express his emotion for him. The room around him faded and it was just himself and the piano. This is what always happened and this time was no exception. He swayed just like he always did, whether out of habit or familiarity he did not know.

He played the last note and sighed before turning back to the girl. To his shock, she was crying. She hastily wiped her eyes and let out a shaky breath, apparently trying to calm herself.

"That was the saddest and most beautiful thing I have ever heard," she said, her voice still nothing but a whisper. "What’s it called?"

"Moonlight Sonata by a Muggle composer named Beethoven," Draco replied calmly.

"I thought you hated Muggle things," the girl said before clamping a hand over her mouth and blushing with embarrassment.

"Something’s yes, others, like this…" he said before trailing off and looking back down at the piano.

"Why do you play something so sad?" she asked hesitantly.

"Because its how I feel." His voice was purposely stern so she wouldn’t purists. The stayed in uncomfortable silence for a moment, the kind that you could cut with a knife. It was the girl to speak first.

"Could you teach me?"

"You want to learn?" Draco saw the girl nod her head out of the corner of his eye. "Why?" The girl played with her fingers, trying to find an answer but not finding any.

"I don’t know," she finally said.

"If you don’t know then why should I teach you?" The girl shifted from one foot to the other in discomfort.

"I guess its because I have never played anything before and to be able to play something like that would be amazing," she said truthfully.

"It isn’t an easy piece to learn," Draco warned.

"I understand." How could he say no? He knew he could but having someone’s company other than the piano was what he wanted, wasn’t it? He sighed and ran a hand through his platinum hair.

"I don’t see any reason why not…" he began but was interrupted by the girl’s squeal of delight.

"Really?" she exclaimed. "Thank you so much!" Draco put a hand up to silence her.

"You will be here at nine o’clock every night and you will not speak of this to anyone. This place is sacred to me and if you tell anyone, there will be hell to pay. Do you understand?" The girl nodded. "Good. I’ll see you tomorrow then Weasley." He stood and closed the cover on the piano, ready to leave but noticed the girl was still standing there. "Is they’re something else?"

"Could you call me Ginny? I know you’re used to calling me and my family Weasleys or weasels but, if its not to much trouble, I’d really like you to call me by my name."

"Keep my secret and I will call you by your name. Now if that is all, I must be going. Goodnight Ginny."

"Goodnight Draco." The two of them parted at the door, one going one way and the other going the opposite. When she was out of sight, Draco leaned up against the wall and cursed himself.

"What have I done?"

Author's note: I hope you enjoyed this fic. I love this piece and decided it was time for Draco to play it. As you know, none of these characters or Beethoven's Midnight Sonata are mine. Please R&R!!!

2. Chapter Two

"What have I done?" Ginny slid down the wall, scolding herself for doing what she had just done. Ask to take piano lessons, from a Malfoy? Had she lost her bloody mind? Why had she even followed the music when she had no idea who or what would be on the other end?

She buried her face in her hands, trying to clear her thoughts. Why could she just keep her nose out of things? She was always getting in trouble for snooping at home and now she’d been stupid enough to do it here.

Groaning audibly, she pushed herself to her feet and made her way to the Gryffindor Tower. She let her fingers trace the creases in the wall as she walked, the sad music floating through her mind. Something about it made her feel sympathy for the snobby Slytherin git, which was a surprise in itself seeing as she had never felt sorry for him. He looked so sad when he was playing it and the sound that came when his fingers danced on the keys was breath taking.

Ginny had seen a piano before. Having her father in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts department at the Ministry of Magic had its perks. He had brought one home once, returning it soon after because he had no idea what to do with it. He knew it made sounds when you pressed the ‘keys’ but he didn’t know how to put the notes together. Ginny had been fascinated and attempted to make her own music in the short period of time that it was in the Burrow. Her brothers had complained, begging her to ask her father to put a silencing charm around the room where it stood. She had snapped at them and told them to go elsewhere if they were going to whine. She had however asked her father to bring her a book or someone to teach her but he had shook his head, saying teachers cost money and he didn’t know where to get a book for such a contraption.

Well now she had her chance to learn and didn’t want too. She didn't like him one bit and now she was going to spend more time with him than necessary. It wasn't that she was afraid or anything, she brought him down to size last year with her little Weasley special but there was something about him that just didn't make her feel right. He was…strange. And now she was going out of her way to be with him! Why the hell did she ask?

Once again the music danced in her mind, the sad melody telling her the reason. Yes, she would go, despite everything inside her telling her to back away and never go back. She looked down at her watch. Eight forty three the crooked hands told her. ‘This time tomorrow,’ she thought to herself, ‘I’ll be on my way to my first piano lesson’.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Where is that girl?" Draco grumbled under his breath. He leaned against the wall beside the open door, staring at the open space and drumming his fingers impatiently against his upper arms. He did say nine o’clock didn’t he? Yes, he was sure of that. He didn’t know why he had allowed this waste of his time happen. Company or not, if she didn’t get here soon he wouldn’t bother showing up tomorrow.

He groaned softly under his breath and moved to shut the door. It swung into place with a satisfying click. After letting his fingers linger on the door handle for a moment, Draco retreated to his beloved. He gracefully sat on the bench and opened gently lifted the cover that protected the sacred black and white keys. Did he really want another touching them? He slid his fingers over them with care, relishing the smoothness of their touch.

His hands took their position over them and began to dance. The same sad music lifted into the air, almost drowning out the sound of the approaching footsteps. He heard the door fly open behind him and someone breathing hard.

"You’re late," he drawled, continuing to play as if he was still the only one in the room still.

"I-I’m s-sorry," a soft voice panted. The harsh breath began to calm and quiet down. Muffled footsteps approached him and then stopped a few feet away.

Draco wasn’t bothered by her closeness but he felt her eyes on him and it was…unsettling. His father had watched over his shoulder his whole life but it wasn’t his father here. Why was this so bothersome?

He finished the last notes and turned to the flushed face girl. Her crimson hair hung down to just below her shoulders in loose curly locks. She played with the hem of one of her robe sleeves while her she shifted her weight from one foot to the other in either nervousness or impatience. Biting her lower lip, her innocent ocean blue eyes stared sown at him.

Draco realized he was staring, What was wrong with him? How was this girl getting to him by just looking at him? He regained composure and tilted his head to the side, meeting her gaze with his own.

"Are you going to just stand there or are you going to sit down?"

Author’s note: What was I thinking?!?!?! Ginny timid! Bah! I'm sorry for the mess up and hope you can all forgive me. Please keep reviewing and thanks for catching that when I didn't.

3. Chapter Three

"Are you going to just stand there or are you going to sit down?" She didn’t like his tone. It was a challenge and mocking her bravery. The way he looked at her was saying the same thing. He expected her to run away or shrink under his gaze, that much was obvious. Well, the arrogant git would be in for a surprise then wouldn’t he?

"I came to learn didn’t I?" Ginny replied and sat gingerly beside him. She cocked her head to the side, defiance in her eyes, and looked up at him expectantly. She saw amusement in his eyes as a smirk formed on his lips and annoyance stirred inside of her. She wanted to smack him and it was hard to refrain herself.

"Well teacher? What now?" He snorted lightly when she said "teacher" but it was gone with the amusement when he spoke next. His eyes were suddenly stern and almost commanding.

"All right then," he drawled. "We are going to start out slow so don’t get impatient. I don’t need to hear your complaining and you can say goodbye to these lessons if you so much as whine. Do we have and agreement?" She gave a short nod and did not lower her eyes. "Good. First I’m going to teach you the scale."

Ginny watched as he put his fingers over some keys and expertly played some notes. He then instructed her to put her fingers on certain keys. Taking her hands lightly, he positioned them over the right ones. Ginny willingly let him even though her mind was screaming at her not too. His hands were cold as ice, probably from staying in this room for so long. She noticed how they lingered over hers for a moment before retreating to further down the keyboard.

He played the notes over again for her and motioned for her to follow. It took her a few tries but soon she had mimicked him, shakily of course but it sounded almost the same.

They spent an hour or so, just learning the basics. By the end, Ginny had a general idea but still had a long way to go till she was playing Moonlight Sonata.

"That’s all for tonight," Draco said before stifling a yawn. He began to close the cover but Ginny placed her hand on hid fore arm. He looked down at her hand before raising his gaze back up to her eyes with a confused look on his face. She blushed and removed it quickly. Scolding herself, she shook her head slightly and regained her confidence.

"Can you play that piece for me again? Please?" Draco groaned and dropped his head. He raised his eyes though and gave her a you’ve-got-to-be-kidding look.

"I’m not going to play it every time you ask you know," he replied in an exasperated tone. "I have things I need to do and I’m not here to entertain you."

"I know. Please? Just once more and I promise I won’t ask again," she pleaded. He groaned again but pushed the cover back and set his fingers on the keys. Gently, he began to play. It sounded just as mournful as it had the night before only this time. Ginny, being closer this time, saw the concentration in his eyes but there was something else there as well. Pain? What for? She had seen it last night but it was more apparent as he lost himself in the piece. It looked like his didn’t even remember she was there anymore. His brow furrowed and he swayed back and forth in time with the music. Ginny saw his jaw clench and his eyes become distant. What was wrong with him?

The last note echoed in the room before it became eerily silent. He stared at the keys, his shoulders slightly slouched and his hands fell to his lap, looking so…so…innocent.

"Draco?" Ginny asked hesitantly. "What’s wrong?" She put her hand on his shoulder comfortingly but he shrugged it off and straightened his back, the look of sadness gone from his eyes. He turned to her and looked like nothing had happened at all.

Ginny felt her eyebrows come close together and her lips part slightly. What was going on here? He closed the cover and stood, walking away from her without a word. He hesitated at the door when she called him. He turned his head slightly to the side.

"Leave it alone Ginny," he said sternly. "Don’t go sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong." With that he disappeared out of the door, leaving Ginny with her confusion as well as concern with nothing but the piano for company.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He cursed quietly as he stormed down the corridor. He had almost lost it, infront of her no less! She wouldn’t let it go, he knew she wouldn’t. She was a Weasley, its what they did. Why did she have to look like she cared?

Laughter above him disturbed his thoughts and Draco groaned, knowing from whom this laughter came from. Peeves was standing on the ceiling and snickering, a wicked grin on his face and his eyes had the look of mischief. No doubt he had caused some trouble somewhere or was about to, his body language screamed it. His hands were behind his back and slowly rocking back on forth on his feet.

"Try anything Peeves and I swear you will regret it," Draco snapped. Well that was an invitation of a lifetime for the poltergeist and he cackled before tossing a rather large water balloon at Draco’s head. Draco scrambled to get out of the way but Peeves must have charmed it because the balloon swerved and hit him face. With a loud pop, the balloon burst open and the water inside exploded onto Draco, soaking him completely. He snarled and snatched his wand out of his robes and pointed it to where Peeves should be but before he could hurl a curse at him, Peeves stuck out his tongue and disappeared leaving his cackles ringing in Draco’s ears. Draco swore that he would get the retched little monster if it was the last thing he did. Casting a drying charm on his cloths and hair, he continuing down the corridor while muttering curses under his breath. He soon stopped infront of a portrait of a tall man in green robes. The portrait smirked upon noticing Draco’s rather visible scowl.

"My, my Mr. Malfoy, you do look cross," the man sneered.

"Basilisk eyes," Draco hissed and glared at the portrait as it swung open to his private room. He practically ripped off his robes and tossed them onto a near by armchair before stopping infront of a black, leather couch and flopped down onto it. Dropping his head back, he stared at the ceiling and breathed deep, wincing as he felt a headache beginning.

Why, in the name of Merlin’s beard, did he show his emotion?! He had let himself go when he started to play, not even thinking about the consequences. It had taken all he had to get a hold of reality again and shrug off Ginny’s hand, replacing his mask. Oh, and the way she had looked at him almost made his mask shatter into a million shards. Why did he have such a desire to tell her everything then? This wasn’t natural. She had him under a spell or something. That’s it. She had put some sort of spell over him as he was playing and that made him feel so vulnerable.

"Don’t be stupid," he scolded himself. Leaning forward, he pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath. If these little lessons were going to continue, he would have to keep control. He couldn’t let himself fall apart as he had come so close to doing tonight. That would be unbearable.

With a light sigh, he pushed himself off his couch and made his way over to the rather large bed. Pulling off his school shirt, he crawled to the center and let himself drop. With in minutes he was fast asleep and dreaming about the girl with the crimson hair.

Author’s note: Okay just so you know, I have never taken piano lessons in my life so if I mess up on the terminology fell free to correct me. I hope you liked this chapter. Please R&R!!! J J J