Worlds Apart, Hearts Close by Hermione Potter Rating: PG13 Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure Relationships: Harry & Hermione Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 4 Published: 29/05/2004 Last Updated: 13/07/2005 Status: Paused AU Fic. When Harry meets Hermione Granger, will it change his life? Will he fall in love with her? And what happens when the whole Kingdom finds out? READ ON! 1. The Mysterious Rider ----------------------- *Disclaimer:* *Sadly, I do not own Harry Potter. I make no money off it. But JKR does. Everything belongs to her.* *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 1: The Mysterious Rider* Seventeen-year-old Harry James Potter sat with his parents, Lily and James. Harry was no ordinary wizard of your everyday life. He was Prince of Gryffindor. His best friend was Ronald Billius Weasley. The Weasleys were like his second family of course. But it was harder than you think. Not all the Weasleys remained harmonized with Harry in a way. The youngest child, Virginia, referred to as Ginny had a crush on his since he was twelve. He considered her as a sister and nothing more. But her crush on him had developed into a case of love. “Harry, seeing as how you’ll be eighteen soon, you should consider marriage. We are not forcing you to be wed, but only giving our opinion. I think you should marry in your own time and with the person you will love for eternity,” Lily Evans Potter said softly to her son. Harry turned to look at her. “Mum, I don’t think now is a good idea. Millions of innocent people have been killed because of the war against Voldemort. I cannot risk a person’s life because of my own needs. And anyway, I love no girl here in the Wizardry World,” Harry replied, waving his hand and dismissing the idea. “What do you think of that Ravenclaw girl? I think her name was Cho Chang,” James suggested. Cho was the Princess of Ravenclaw. But she was just another pretty face. Sure, she was a great Quidditch player, but after what happened in 5th year, he wouldn’t want to deal with her again. “No, thanks Father. I know I used to like her, but it was a physical attraction. Nothing more,” Harry told. “Excuse me, your Majesties, but Prince Harry is needed in the Forbidden Forest. It seems that there is a quarrel with the centaurs,” a man from their royal court, informed. “Thank you, Remus. Why don’t you join my parents for lunch? I’ll be right back,” Harry grinned, before exiting the dining room. “Remus, come, come. Sit. Eat!” James laughed. Remus smiled politely and thanked him. Harry walked out into the stable and took out his faithful horse, Lightning. The horse was black with a beautiful shiny coat. His eyes were a soft brown that could be loving, but fierce at the same time. Harry swung his leg over the side and patted Lightning’s head. “Ready, pal?” Harry asked with a smile. Lightning neighed and ran into the Dark Forest. When he got there, he saw the centaurs surrounding something. “What’s wrong here?” Harry asked. One of the young centaurs, Jacob, turned to him. “Ah! Prince Harry. We found a girl who we had tried to help, but treated us like vermin,” Jacob said, a bit upset. “Please move out of the way,” Harry commanded. His mouth dropped. “Ginny?! You aren’t allowed in here! What were you thinking?!” he scolded. But she didn’t answer. She flung her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest. He rubbed his temple before pushing her off. “I’m sorry, everyone. She is from the Gryffindor Kingdom. I’ll take her back with me,” he sighed, looking around. It was quiet. Too quiet. Even for the Dark Forest. “Does it seem too quiet in here or is it just me?” he asked. “It is unusually silent,” Jacob replied, looking around. Suddenly, hundreds of Dementors erupted from the shadows. “What? Dementors are never in here! Run! All of you!” Harry commanded them, pushing Ginny, who was clinging to him like a pest. *(A/N: No offense to Ginny fans!*) The centaurs scattered out of sight as the Dementors reached their hands out to Harry. He backed away slowly with Ginny in back of him. He grabbed his wand and pointed it at one of the Dementors. ‘*Damn it! I forgot the spell! I need to pay more attention in class,’* he cursed. “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” a voice shouted. A silver light exploded through the forest as Harry watched a unicorn Patronus (*A/N: Remember! It’s AU!)* run through the heap of Dementors. They scurried away as fast as they came. Harry looked around to see no one around. “Oh, Harry! You were so brave!” Ginny squealed, kissing his face. “Blah, get off Gin. I don’t have time for this,” he shook her off and heard someone approaching. A horse jumped out from the trees. But it was not like any other horse Harry had seen. It’s coat was pearl white. But what was extraordinary about the horse was that it had flames on its sides, hooves, and mane. Its eyes were blue with silver specks. On its back was a person. Harry could tell it was a girl. Her face was hidden by the hood of her cloak. She dropped it. “You are not welcome in this place. Leave. Before it’s too late,” the girl warned. Harry examined her face closely. She had wavy brown hair and cinnamon brown eyes. Her cheeks were tinted. And on her back was a bow and arrows. “We are not looking for any trouble,” Harry said slowly. “Yeah, so why don’t you just back off and leave US alone,” Ginny spat from behind. Harry shushed her. The girl’s eyes narrowed. “Leave with your woman. Don’t come back to this place. Leave and never set foot in here. It is not safe. Hurry before they come back,” she said, kicking her horse gently and ran off. “Wait!” he shouted. But she was gone. “Come on Harry! Before the Dementors come back!” Ginny whined, dragging him onto Lightning. She wrapped her arms around his waist a little too tight for comfort. Harry rode off, his mind drifting back to the mysterious girl. *A/N: I know this is a lot to handle for an author. But what can you do when you have ideas bubbling inside your head? This idea came to my head thinking about medieval times. Hope you enjoyed it! Please review!* *-Mione Lynn Potter* 2. Meeting Hermione ------------------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 2: Meeting Hermione* “VIRGINIA MOLLY WEASLEY! How dare you wander into the Forbidden Forest! How could you be so foolish? You could have been hurt. Or worse, killed! Tell me, what was so important that you had to wander into the Forest?” Molly Weasley asked, her face red with anger. (*A/N: I know Ginny’s name is Ginerva, I just decided to use Virginia.)* Harry had brought Ginny back to the Burrow. The Burrow was where the Weasleys lived. They didn’t have much, but they had enough to survive. When Harry had spoken to Molly and explained everything, she was furious. He had never seen her so mad, not even at Fred and George, who were twins and always got in trouble. “Mother, a *thing* dragged me in there! And then the centaurs surrounded me! It was awful! But Harry came to my rescue like he always does,” Ginny said with a shrilled voice, looking at Harry with lovey-dovey eyes. He squirmed uncomfortably under her heated gaze. “Ginny, that is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard! Centaurs are dangerous! You know that. You know better than to just go out like that! Go to your room right now. When your father gets back, we’ll talk about what your punishment will be,” Molly told, pointing her finger upstairs. Ginny, with her head held down, trudged up the squeaky stairs as she longingly looked at Harry. When she disappeared, Molly turned to look at Harry. “Thank you for bringing her back, dear. Sometimes I don’t know how to deal with her. She’s impossible. I can never get her to stop doing these foolish and dangerous things,” she explained, pinching the bridge of her nose. “It’s no problem, Mrs. Weasley. You’re all like my family. I’m really glad to help out when I can,” Harry smiled. “Oh, how sweet you are. You will make a wonderful husband and father someday,” she smiled back. Harry blushed. “Is Ron home?” he asked. “He should be up in his room. You can go up,” Molly answered. Harry nodded absently and walked upstairs. He couldn’t get that girl off his mind. She was just so mysterious. He knocked on Ron’s door and hurried shuffling inside before the door flipped open. He came face-to-face with Ron who looked like he had just ran 5 miles. Ron was a bit taller than Harry, a bit gangly. He had fiery red hair that grew uncontrollably, but he had always managed to get it cut once in a while. His blue eyes were deep that it almost matched the night sky. “Hey, mate! Come on in. I was just. . . .straightening things up,” Ron said slowly, scratching his head. “You? Being clean? I thought I would never see the day!” Harry chuckled, walking in and taking a seat on a worn out chair. “I heard what happened downstairs. Ginny is kind of clueless when she least expects it,” Ron laughed. Harry nodded in agreement as he leaned back in the chair with his hands under his head. He kept thinking about *her.* “Mate? You in there?” Ron asked, waving his hand in front of Harry’s face. He shook his head and looked at his best friend. “What happened? I mean in the Dark Forest,” he asked. Harry turned his head to look at Ron. “It’s just. . . .I saw this girl. And she was riding this amazing horse. It was surrounded by fire! And her face. It was just so. . .,” Harry couldn’t find the word. “Beautiful?” Ron suggested with a slight frown. “Yeah. Definitely beautiful. She was a riding maiden if you ask me,” he sighed with a smile. “That’s what some people call her. The Riding Maiden. Or the Keeper of the Forest. Guardian of the Fire Stallion,” Ron ticked off the names on his fingers. “Everyone knows about her? I was never told about this. So spill,” Harry laughed. Ron remained quiet. “Ron? Is something wrong?” he asked, worried. “Her real name is Hermione Jane Granger. She’s a loner. People say she was raised by magical creatures in the forest and that her parents were killed by You-Know-Who. Mum and Dad have told me myths and stories about her. Whenever someone wanders into the Forbidden Forest, she banishing them away. She’s a Muggle-Born witch. Powerful though. She’s different from us, Harry,” Ron explained softly. “I’ve never heard a legend like that. It’s far-fetched,” Harry disagreed. In the Potter Manor, Harry sat quietly with James and Lily at the dinner table. “Is there something wrong dear? Did something happen in the forest?” Lily asked, concerned. “Nothings wrong, really. It turned out Ginny was being swarmed by centaurs. Don’t know why though. The centaurs in the forest are gentle. But they can be rough sometimes. They only get defensive when something really offends them. And then, well, we saw Dementors,” Harry mumbled. James’s eyes widened. “Dementors?! Are you all right?” Lily asked with panic, “I’m perfectly all right, mum. No worries at all. I wasn’t hurt,” he smiled softly. “Oh, what a relief. I wouldn’t know what to do if something happened to you,” she said with her hands over her face. “Could you tell me about Hermione Granger?” Harry blurted out. “Hermione Granger? You mean the Keeper of the Forest? Did you run into her today?” James asked. “Yes. Yes. And yes,” Harry answered repeatedly. “Well, she *is* a mysterious young maiden. Her parents were friends of ours. Very close. But then, Voldemort murdered them. At first we thought they had killed Hermione as well. But Mr. Weasley had a run-in with her when they were investigating something.” “She doesn’t really communicate with humans. She guards the forest and the creatures inside of it. She tries to protect them as much as she can. But you can go so far, She has something against humans who are wizards or witches, even though she is a witch herself,” Harry’s father explained. “She told me to leave and never set foot inside again. Before I could say anything, she just rode away,” Harry replied, half truthfully. “You know you can talk to us about anything, honey,” Lily assured with a gentle look in her eyes. Harry nodded his head and answered back, “Yes, mum. I know. Do you know where Sirius is?” “He should be in the library,” James thought. “Thanks. It was a delicious dinner, mum.” he said with a slight bow and exited. (*A/N: Yes, Lily makes the meals. No servants or anything.)* Harry walked through the halls up down the stairs into the grand library. “Sirius?” Harry called. “Harry, my boy! What brings you into this place? Usually I see you here when you’re bored out of your mind,” Sirius grinned. “I know. Sirius, since you know everything about the Forbidden Forest, I wanted to know about Hermione Granger,” Harry said quickly. “Ah, the graceful Granger. She’s a legend in your generation, Harry. But I know that parents have talked to you about her already. Many people in the Gryffindor Kingdom think that she was Princess of Ravenclaw. For what reason, I have no clue. It was most likely of her intellect and knowledge,” Sirius explained. “Do you know where she can be found?” Harry asked. Sirius eyed him carefully. “So, you’ve grown a liking to her, I assume. A very strong liking, I see,” he laughed. Harry’s face burned. “It’s not like that. Really. She just seems mysterious and I somehow need to meet her. It feels like I’ve known her all my life,” he stated. Sirius smiled, inwardly. “She’s usually found at the middle of the forest. Where the lake is,” he answered. “How do you know about all of this?” Harry asked. “When you get to be as old as I am, you know a lot of things,” Sirius answered. Harry nodded and walked toward the window. “She was just so. . . .beautiful. I couldn’t stop thinking about her,” he sighed. “Many noble men have fallen for her, Harry. None of them managed to snag her heart. Maybe you will triumph where others have failed,” Sirius whispered. Harry blushed slightly, but shook it off. That night when everyone was asleep, Harry snuck out of bed and grabbed his Invisibility Cloak. He made his way down to the front door and slid out as quietly as he could. Harry ran into the stables and took Lightning out. “Come on, boy. I have to see Hermione. Let’s go,” Harry whispered, getting on the black horse and riding off into the Dark Forest once again. ‘*The lake, That’s where she usually is,’* he thought, ushering Lightning to go toward the middle of the forest. Harry hopped off Lightning and tied him to a tree branch, “I’ll be right back, boy. Don’t worry,” Harry promised, petting Lightning’s snout. He walked slowly toward the lake and held in his breath when he saw a cloaked figure kneel at the edge of the lake and gather some of the water in a bowl. Harry hid behind a tree watching her. The figure took of their hood and revealed Hermione. Then he saw something on her forehead that wasn’t there before. It was a head piece. In the middle was a sapphire with a white gold band around her head. ‘*What is that?’* Harry thought, questioningly. Hermione sat down on the ground next to what looked like a wolf. It seemed to be wounded. But Harry rarely ever saw a wolf in the Forbidden Forest. “Drink this, little one,” Hermione said softly, giving the little wolf the bowl. She took out a cloth and soaked it in the lake. Then she brought it back and dabbed the wound. The wolf howled in pain. “I’m sorry. But it does hurt sometimes,” she apologized, stroking the fur on the wolf’s head. When Hermione was done, the wolf was fast asleep, obviously from pain and lack of strength. Harry took a step back, but unfortunately stepped on a twig. He clasped a hand over his mouth. Hermione turned to the trees. “Who’s there?” she called, standing up. Harry gulped slightly when he saw Hermione take out an arrow and bow. She shot it into the air and a light erupted from it. Hermione looked toward the tree where Harry was hiding and her eyes widened. “You! What are you doing here? I told you to never come back!” Hermione shouted with a slight glare. Harry walked out and stopped in front of her. “I’m not looking for any trouble, really. I wanted to meet you,” he said softly. Hermione looked at him with a slight shock. “I’m Harry Potter from the Gryffindor Kingdom,” he introduced himself with a polite bow. “I’ve heard about you. Aren’t you the son of James and Lily?” Hermione asked. He nodded, answering. “Well, it was nice meeting you. Goodbye,” Hermione dismissed, turning around. “Hey!” Harry retorted, grabbing her shoulder and making her turn around. She shook him away. “Don’t touch me. I’ve been hurt far too many times by your kind,” she spat. Harry looked at her with a slight hurt look on his face. “I would never hurt you. I’m not like Voldemort, Hermione. I don’t hurt innocent people,” Harry said softly. “I don’t trust people that easily. And how do you know my name?” she asked. “I don’t blame you, Hermione. I know your name because I’ve heard about you,” he answered with a gentle smile. She blushed softly. ‘*Who is this guy? And why is he making me feel like this?*’ she thought, a bit dizzy. “I must go,” Hermione whispered. “What? But why? We just met,” he said was a frown. “I have to get back to my home. The animals need my help. It’s already morning,” she said, “When can I see you again?” Harry asked, grabbing her hand. “Meet me here tonight,” she said thoughtfully. ‘*I can’t wait,’* Harry thought giddily. “Till tonight. Goodbye for now Harry Potter,” she bid goodbye, taking back her hand and disappeared into the trees. “Till tonight, Hermione Granger. Till tonight,” Harry whispered. *A/N: Well, this was a long one! I hope you all enjoyed it. Please review! I’d appreciate it! Thanks for all your reviews for the first chapter!* 3. New Places ------------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *A/N:* *I can’t believe it! 2 more days until Prisoner of Azkaban! It’s amazing how time flies, doesn’t it? Anyway, I hope all of you Harry Potter fans get to see it and I hope you enjoyed it because Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book of the series. Oh, and I definitely hope all of you H/Hr fans look out for the H/Hr moments through the movie!* *Chapter 3: New Places* “Your Majesty?” Marybeth, the head maid called. Harry looked up from his desk and looked at her. “Marybeth, I’ve told you, you can call me Harry. I don’t like being called all these formal names, really. What did you want?” he asked with a slight smirk. Marybeth blushed. “Well, Yo-Ha-Harry, Princess Chang is here to see you,” she stuttered with a slight bow. Harry groaned. “Could you please tell her that I’m a bit busy?” Harry asked. She nodded violently. “Will do, Sire,” Marybeth rushed out quickly. Harry chuckled before turning back to his work to find it scribbled over and over with Hermione’s name. He crushed the parchment and quickly threw it away. ‘*Why can’t I stop thinking about her?’* he thought. He tried to shake her from his mind, but for some reason he couldn’t. “I’ve got to see her. I can’t wait until tonight,” Harry murmured, grabbing his cloak and sneaking out. “Harry Potter! Sir!” a squeaky voice shrieked. Harry grimaced and turned around. It was Dobby, their house-elf. “I’m going out for a while, Dobby. Don’t tell anyone,” Harry whispered, pushing his finger against his lips. “Oh, yes, Dobby promises! Goodbye, Harry Potter,” the house-elf said with big eyes. Harry sighed in relief and slipped through the door. He quickly ran to the beginning of the Forbidden Forest and stopped abruptly. ‘*Maybe I should wait until tonight,’* he thought. Then he heard a soft neigh. He squinted slightly and saw moving flames running toward him. As it got closer, Harry realized it was Hermione’s horse. It stopped before him. He pet the horse’s snout as she *(A/N: I’m making it a girl because it will be useful later on in the story.)* neighed affectionately. Harry observed her carefully. She beckoned him to get on her. He nodded hesitantly and touched one of her flames. He thought she was going to burn him, but it felt soothingly warm. He swung his leg over and yelped as she rode into the forest. As they had gotten closer and closer to the middle of the forest, Harry saw sunlight streaming through the trees. (*A/N: I’m so sorry if this is being rushed. I just can’t help it. ^^||)* When they reached the clearing that surround the lake, Harry Saw a figure laying on the ground shaking a bit. He hopped of the horse and slowly made his way over to the person, only to find it was Hermione. She appeared to be wearing nothing but a tatter shirt and pants. Dry tears were on her cheeks and that she was shivering. ‘*I wonder why she’d be crying,’* Harry thought sadly. He unclasped his cloak and placed it over Hermione’s body. Instantly, she stopped shivering and pulled the cloak tighter around her body. “*Harry,”* she whispered in her sleep. He smiled and tucked Hermione’s hair behind her ear. He pulled his hand back as he saw her eyes blink open. She rubbed her eyes and yawned. When she looked at Harry, she squealed in surprise. “HARRY!” Hermione shrieked. Harry smiled softly. “You scared me,” she breathed. “Have you been crying?” Harry asked, avoiding her comment. Hermione blinked. “N-No. Wh-What makes yo-you say that?” she stuttered. Harry took a neatly folded cloth out of his pocket and walked over to the lake. He moistened it slightly and went back over to Hermione. Harry cupped the side of Hermione’s head and wiped the dried tears. “If you’re going to lie, you should at least erase your tears,” he said softly with a smile. She blushed with embarrassment. Then Hermione noticed the cloak. “Oh, you’re clo-,” Harry cut her off. “Keep it. I wouldn’t want you to be cold,” Harry said. “Not to be rude or anything, but what are you doing here? I thought we were going to meet here tonight,” she asked with a furrowed brow. “I wanted to see you again,” he whispered. “Oh,” was all she could say. Hermione tried to stand, but winced and fell back down. “What’s wrong?” he asked worriedly. “My ankle,” she whimpered showing him the wound that rested in that spot. Harry looked at it carefully. “This is an animal bite. And by the looks of it, the animal was a wolf,” Harry stated, ripping a piece of his sleeve and wrapping it around her ankle. “Thank you,” Hermione replied. “How did this happen?” he asked. “Do you remember that wolf I was helping last night? The one I was helping last night? It died. The pack sent one of their wolves after me because they had thought that whatever I did killed it. And then I fainted. That’s how I’m here,” she explained. Harry turned his back to her and knelt down. She looked at him confused. “Get on. I’m going to back to your house,” Harry said, nudging his head. “Oh no. I can ride back on StarFire,” Hermione shook her head while gesturing toward her horse. “Ah, I think I’d like to take the honor,” he winked. Hermione blushed and slowly climbed on his back while wrapping his arms around his neck. He latched his arms under her legs and stood up easily. “You don’t have to do this. I must be heavy for you,” she said nervously. “You’re not heavy at all. Light as a feather,” Harry grinned. StarFire started to walk toward a different direction. “Just follow her. She knows the way,” Hermione murmured, laying her chin on his shoulder. “All right,” he replied following the horse. After a while, Harry heard Hermione’s slow and deep breathing. He turned his head to find her sleeping with a content smile on her face. He grinned and bumped into StarFire. He looked up to see a comfy looking house with smoke coming out of the chimney. “Thanks, girl. Should I go in?” he asked the horse. She neighed and nodded her head. Harry slowly made his way over to the door and walked in, shutting the door behind him. (*A/N: StarFire is tamed enough not to run around.)* It was roomy. On the side of the room was a fire place with warm flames warming the room up. There was a sofa and some wooden chairs. There was a door that lead to a little kitchen with a round table and two chairs. In the kitchen was an oven, cabinets, and oven, etcetera. He walked out and went into another door, assuming it was her room. Inside, there was a simple four-poster bed with white pillows and sheets. There was a bookshelf and some windows. There wasn’t much in the little warm house. Harry laid Hermione on her bed and walked inside the bathroom. It was just an ordinary one. There was a bathtub, a shower, a sink, and a mirror. ‘*I wonder if she’s ever alone. Living her all by herself,’* he thought. He walked back out and saw that Hermione was sitting at the edge of the bed with her back facing him. “Hey, sleepy head,” Harry called softly, walking over and sitting next to her. She turned her head and smiled at him. “Thank you for carrying me back,” Hermione said, twisting her hands around. She saw Harry lay his hand on top of hers. “Hey, it wasn’t a problem. Are you ever lonely here? I mean, living here by yourself,” he asked. “Sometimes. The animals are my friends. Including StarFire. When I was a child I had friends. Until my parents died. I became depressed and angry. I didn’t want to be friends with the kind of people who murdered my mum and dad. Even though I’m a witch too,” Hermione answered. “Not all witches and wizards are like that,” he argued. “I know that now. I learned that from you. You made me realize that not everyone is like Voldemort,” she retaliated. “Well, I’m glad I helped. Now, I know you’re a Guardian. But not of the Fire Stallion. You’re Guardian of the Forest. You keep watch over this whole place. And that’s wonderful,” Harry smiled. “Shouldn’t you be getting back to your home? I mean, aren’t your parents worried about you,” Hermione asked. “They don’t even know I’m here. Only Dobby does,” he chuckled. “Dobby?” she asked. “Our house-elf,” Harry answered. “I think house-elves should be free. Not enslaved their whole lives,” Hermione said. “We pay him, Mione,” Harry mentioned. “Mione? You called me Mione,” Hermione looked at him. “Yeah. I’m sorry. I won’t call you it any more if you don’t like it,” he apologized. “N-No! I-I mean I like it. A lot. I’d be happy if you called me that,” she stuttered, burying her face in his shoulder. Harry smiled, stringing his fingers through her bushy hair. “I really think you should go back,” she suggested. “Then come back with me,” he whispered in her ear. She took her head off his shoulder and looked at him. “What?” Hermione asked. “Come back with me,” Harry said softly. “What do you mean by that?” she asked again. “Come back to my home with me.” *A/N: Sorry about that. I apologize if this chapter was rushed. I can’t help it. Soooooo sorry. And thank you to Frank Thomas for being so dedicated. I appreciate your pushing. LOL. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!* 4. Not Worthy ------------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 4: Not Worthy* “Oh, I could never!” Hermione exclaimed with widened eyes. “But you’re lonely here. Please come for a while. If you don’t like it or you feel uncomfortable, you can come back here,” Harry pleaded. She bit her lip. “I don’t know about this Harry,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “Come on, Hermione. For just a while. Please,” Harry begged squeezing her hands. She sighed. “All right. But only for a few days,” Hermione said, getting up and rummaging through her things. “*Now* what are you doing?” Harry asked. “Taking some things with me. You don’t expect me to wear these dirty things every day in front of your parents, do you?” she asked, gesturing to her tattered clothes. “Well of course not. But you’re a witch. You have a wand,” Harry stated. Hermione bit her lip nervously. “No, I actually don’t have a wand,” she replied. “Oh. Well, I’ll get you one,” Harry said simply. She gaped at him. “No! You don’t have to do that. I can do fine on my own, thanks,” she declined. “Hermione, I’ll get you a wand. Even if it means spending all my galleons, sickles, and knuts. What are friends for?” Harry asked grinning. “F-Friends?”she stuttered. “Of course. I am your friend, aren’t I?” he asked with a frown. “Yes! Yes, you are. Thank you. It’s just, I’ve never been able to be friends with a witch or wizard,” Hermione confessed. “Well then I’ll be the first,” Harry smiled. “Is your house far away?” she asked. “No. It’s just beyond the Forbidden Forest,” he stated. “When are we leaving?” Hermione asked once again. “Well, we could leave now. My parents would be there and I’d like you to meet them,” Harry suggested. “Do you think they’ll accept me? I mean, considering the look of myself,” she questioned, Harry placed his hands on Hermione’s shoulders and squeezed them reassuringly. “My parents will love you just as much as I do, Mione,” he said with a slight blush. “Well then. Let’s go!” Hermione smiled running out to get StarFire. Harry chuckled, walking out and over to where Hermione and StarFire were. Hermione was already on the horse’s back. “Hope on Harry,” she urged, holding out her hand to help him up. Harry grabbed her hand and swung his leg over. He wrapped his arms around her waist, feeling her tense, but relaxed as she kicked StarFire’s sides and galloped away from the small house. After about fifteen minutes, Harry, Hermione, and StarFire arrived on the grounds of the Potter Manor. “Oh my,” Hermione breathed looking at the big home. The walls were painted sheer white. There were many shining windows that had dark green shutters. There was lush green grass in the front and back of the manor. “Come on,” Harry beckoned, helping Hermione off StarFire and leading them to the stable in the back. Harry opened the latch to the door on the stable and stepped on the dirt ground. He walked over to Lightning and stroked him gently. “You’re going to have some company, boy,” Harry informed softly. Lightning nodded. Harry motioned Hermione to bring StarFire in. Hesitatingly, she walked StarFire in and next to Lightning. Lightning bent his head to nibble on some hay. He glanced at StarFire and nudged the hay toward her. She smiled through her eyes and started to eat with him. Harry smiled and whispered in Hermione’s ear,” I think they like each other.” Hermione shivered as she felt his warm breath. “Let’s go in. I’d like you to meet my mum and dad,” Harry smiled, grabbing her hand and rushing into the manor. “Welcome back, sir,” Marybeth greeted. “Hello, Marybeth. This is Hermione,” Harry introduced, motioning to Hermione. “Nice to meet you,” Hermione said with a polite smile and bow. “Yes, pleasure,” Marybeth replied curtly and walked away. “I don’t think she’s quite fond of me,” Hermione laughed. “I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because you’re a girl,” Harry winked. Hermione blushed. “They might be in the study,” Harry said leading her upstairs. “Mum? Dad?” he called as he opened the door. “Harry? Where have you been?! I was so worried about you!” Lily exclaimed, hugging him tightly. “Mum, I was only out for a while. I can’t breathe,” he choked up. Lily let him go. “Don’t scare us like that again, son. What was so important?” James asked. “Well, I’d like you to meet someone. Mione?” he called. Slowly, Hermione walked in with her hands held together and bowed. “It’s an honor to meet you, Your Majesties,” she greeted and smiled slightly. “He-Hermione? Oh my!” Lily exclaimed cupping Hermione’s face. “We haven’t seen you since you were a year old. My, you’ve grown into a fine young woman,” James complimented. “Thank you, sir,” Hermione bowed again. “Oh, no need to be so formal. Harry, take her to Gwendolyn, would you Harry? Would you have dinner with us this evening?” Lily asked. “Oh, of course. I could never decline such a generous offer,” Hermione answered. “My, how polite you are. Now, go on Harry. Take her to Gwendolyn. We’ll see you at dinner,” James smiled and bid them goodbye. “All right, dad,” Harry replied, before taking Hermione’s hand and guiding her to where one of their maids, Gwendolyn was. “Gwendy?” Harry asked. “Oh, Sire! What do you need?” she explained, bowing to him. “Well, my friend Hermione is a bit ruffled up, no offense Hermione. Could you please show her the bathroom and get her into some nice clothes?” Harry asked smiling. “Oh! Of course. Of course. Come. Come. Miss. . .,” she trailed off. “Granger,” Hermione informed. “Ah, yes, Miss Granger. Just follow me,” Gwendy suggested leading Hermione away from Harry. “See you at dinner,” Harry grinned, waving at her. Gwendolyn opened a white door and motioned Hermione inside. She slowly walked inside and looked around, astounded. The floor was made of white marble and the walls were plastered with white tiles. There was a shower and bathtub that had gold taps. Hermione looked at the sink and noticed that there were two sinks, also with gold taps. Next to the taps were small towels and soap. Above the sinks were mirrors. “Here’s a bathrobe, miss. When you’re done, just enter this room here,” Gwendolyn smiled, gesturing to a door at her left. “Oh, okay. Thank you for your kindness,” Hermione bowed. Gwendolyn left. Hermione sighed and walked over to the bathtub. She turned the hot water tap on and watched as the tub began to fill. She looked over it and saw a variety of bath bubbles. Hermione picked one up and saw that it was lilac. She had always loved that smell. She dripped a few into the water and saw bubbles gathering. When the tub was filled, Hermione turned the water off and stripped her clothes off. She stepped into the water and sunk below the bubbles. ‘*Harry’s not what I expected him to be,’* she thought with a smile. Hermione sighed in relief as her tense muscles loosened. ‘*He was so. . . .gentle and sweet. No! What am I thinking? I couldn’t like him, could I?”* Hermione thought with a slight blush. But she quickly frowned, saddened. “But he could never fall for someone like me. I’m so low compared to the other girls he’s seen. All I am is just an orphaned girl. But he’s a prince. I’m not worthy of him,” Hermione whispered, rinsing herself off and wrapped herself up in the bath rob. She dried her hair and walked inside the other room. (*A/N: I’m not going to describe the room. Sorry.)* Gwendolyn was in the room waiting for her. “I’m sorry if I kept you waiting long,” Hermione apologized. “Oh, no not at all, dear. Come now. Sit on the chair,” Gwendolyn commanded. Hermioe did what she was told and sat in front of the mirror. Gwendolyn did a quick drying spell on Hermione’s hair and placed a straightening charm on it. “That looks very nice on you. How about if I put a permanent charm on it?” she asked. “I’d like that. Thank you, ma’am,” Hermione replied. After Hermione was finished with her hair. Gwendolyn placed a bit of lip gloss (*A/N: Call me stupid for saying lip gloss. I didn’t know what else to call it! Don’t flame me!)* “Now that’s done. Next, your dress. Somehow, I think this dress would look lovely on you,” she smiled showing the gown to Hermione. It was beautiful. It was a deep blue gown made from velvet. It was a long dress that stretched to her ankles. The sleeves extended to her wrists and expanded out. Around the waistline was a silver chain that had stars and crescent moons. “It’s stunning! I couldn’t wear something like this,” Hermione breathed. “Ah, but you haven’t tried it on, so how do you know?” Gwendolyn grinned. Hermione blushed and stood behind the bathroom door. A few moments later, Hermione walked out and spun around for Gwendolyn. “Well, does it look all right?” she asked. “Oh, you look absolutely magnificent in it! Oh dear! And close to dinner time. Here are your shoes. They go perfectly with your dress,” Gwendolyn exclaimed. Hermione stepped into the black shoes and took a breath. “Let’s hurry or we’ll be late!” Gwendolyn exclaimed. “She seems like a sweet girl,” Lily smiled as James pulled her seat out for her to sit. “Yeah, she sure is,” Harry sighed a bit dreamily. “My, someone seems quite fond of Hermione,” James chuckled as he saw Harry’s face color. “No! It’s not like that!” Harry said quickly. “Um, excuse me?” a hesitant voice interrupted. Harry, Lily, and James turned toward the door to see Hermione walk in tentatively. Harry’s heart started beating violently against his chest. He was sure that they could hear it. “Hermione, you look absolutely exquisite, doesn’t she James?” Lily asked. “Quite. Don’t you think Harry?” James laughed. “Beautiful,” Harry breathed, looking at her. He saw her blush and smile at him. He slowly made his way over to Hermione and grasped her hand. Harry leaned down and kissed it softly. She blushed more. “May I take you to our dinner that awaits us?” he asked. Hermione nodded shyly and followed him as he pulled her seat out for her and sat down next to her. “Now Hermione, how have you been? It’s been what? Fifteen or sixteen years?” Lily asked with a furrowed brow. “O-Oh, I’ve been quite all right. Yes it has been a long time. I don’t really remember much. I’ve lived in the Forbidden Forest all my life,” she exclaimed. “How awful that must be. Isn’t that dangerous? I mean, with all those creatures and such,” James asked. “No, I’ve been able to fend for myself. I haven’t ever used magic. I don’t have a wand either. And the creatures in the forest are my friends. Most of them at least,” she answered, chewing some of her roast chicken. “Well, why don’t you live here with us? I know I’m being a bit forward, but we’d love for you to stay here,” Lily suggested. “No, I couldn’t oppose as much as I have,” Hermione admitted. “You’re not opposing at all! It’s quite nice actually. Harry would always have a friend around. Could you just think about it tonight?” the young mother asked. “Of course I will. Thank you for the offer. I’ll be sure to think deeply about it,” Hermione smiled. She side glanced at Harry and saw him grinning impishly. She looked at him confused, but shrugged it off, continuing to eat the rest of her dinner. That night, Hermione walked onto the balcony that was in her room. There was a wonderful view of the kingdom from where she was. “Great, isn’t it?” a soft voice said behind her. She turned around and found Harry standing in front of her. “Hello Harry,” Hermione greeted, turning back to the view. She felt Harry stand next to her. “So, have you thought about staying at the Potter Manor?” he asked, not looking at her. Hermione turned her head to him. “I don’t know. I’d just like to sleep on it until tomorrow,” she replied softly. “I’d really like it if you stayed here,” Harry said thoughtfully, staring into her eyes. “Re-Really?” she stuttered. “Yeah. Of course. You could keep me company. And I do like spending time with you,” Harry whispered leaning close to her. “I-I do too,” she whispered back, closing her eyes. Before their lips could meet, Hermione opened her eyes and shook her head. “I should get to bed,” she said. Harry blinked and looked away. “Oh, all right. I should be getting to bed as well. Goodnight,” Harry said curtly before walking out silently. She sighed softly before plopping back on the bed. ‘*Maybe I should just go,’* she thought as her room darkened. (*A/N: Bloody hell I’m sorry if this next part is rushed! Don’t patronize me Frank Thomas! LOL!)* Later, once everyone was asleep, Hermione got off the bed quietly and rushed out as fast as she could. She stopped in front of Harry’s door and bit her lip. Hermione gripped the door nob and thought about going in. ‘*He wouldn’t want to see me after what happened. He’d want me out as well,’* she thought sadly, loosening her grip and sighing. She rushed out of the manor quickly and outside. Hermione walked slowly to the back and took one last look at the house she was warmly welcomed at. Her eyes traveled to Harry’s window and felt a tear slide down her cheek. She walked inside the stable to see Lightning and StarFire standing together, StarFire’s head was nestled under Lightning as they snuggled together. She awed at the sight, knowing that she didn’t want to break this up. “StarFire, you stay here. I have to go back. You look happy with Lightning. Don’t forget me. Because I’ll miss you,” Hermione whispered, kissing StarFire’s forehead. StarFire neighed before nuzzling Hermione’s neck. She smiled and stroked her mane. “I need to go now. Goodbye,” Hermione smiled weakly before latching the door and walking toward the forest. “Going so soon?” a voice said behind her that made her stop dead in her tracks. *A/N: Don’t patronize me, Frank Thomas! I’ve got enough pressure with my other stories. LOL. But continue pushing if you’d like. But no patronizing! LOL. Anyway, I hope all of you enjoyed this chapter. I tried to get it in before June 4th as a treat to you all! Prisoner of Azkaban rocks! I apologize if any part of this chapter was rushed! A bad habit of mine. If any of you would like to view more of my stories you can go to:* http://www.fanfiction.net/~mionelynnpotter*. PLEASE REVIEW! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!* 5. Searching Souls ------------------ *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 5: Searching Souls* Hermione turned around and blinked. A weary looking man stared back at her. “Who are you?” she asked nervously. “Do not be afraid. I won’t hurt you. I’m Sirius Black. Harry’s Godfather,” he introduced softly. “Oh, I’m sorry. Did I wake you, Mr. Black?” Hermione asked. “Please, call me Sirius. Why are you going so soon? I know my godson is very fond of you,” Sirius smiled. Hermione blushed slightly. “I just don’t fit in around here. I mean, really. I’m just an ordinary girl. Harry has this whole kingdom. He’s famous and the Prince of Gryffindor. What do I have to offer to him?” Hermione replied dully. “Your friendship. Harry really doesn’t have many *real* friends, Hermione. Even though you haven’t known each other for very long, I can tell you are a very true and loyal person,” he told to her. “I know, but still. It’s just hard. Living up to the standards of all the royals here,” she whispered. “I can sense that you have a kind of love for him. Am I correct?” Sirius asked. “N-No! O-Of course not! Why would you think that?” Hermione stuttered. “You don’t have to lie to me. I can see it in your eyes. That emotion that is rarely found truthfully in any person. You love him a lot,” Sirius stated. Hermione bowed her head. “I could never live up to the girls he has seen. Lady Cho and Lady Virginia. They are all extremely beautiful and graceful. For I am ugly and rough. I was born in the Forbidden Forest. Not among Gryffindor or Slytherin. Not even Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. No. I was born in an unknown place. A place of darkness and despair,” Hermione explained, a bit teary. “You speak so deeply, Hermione. But even if Miss Chang and Miss Weasley are beautiful on the outside, they could never compete with the beauty you have. On the inside. You shall never be ugly or rough if you remain loyal and truthful to your loved ones. That means you cannot just run away without any consent,” he said solemnly. “But Si-,” she was cut off when she saw Harry behind Sirius. “Hermione? Sirius? What’s going on here? Were you planning on leaving?” Harry asked all at once. “Harry, I-,” he cut her off. “No! You said you would stay! At least for a while! And I find you here, running away at night! Without me knowing! Did you think that I would not notice if you were gone or not?” he asked upset. “I don’t belong in a place like this! This is not my world!” Hermione argued. “What do you have to go back for?! There’s nothing there for you! Why go back there when you could stay here? With people who care for you?” Harry replied angrily. “How dare you? How dare you?! How can you stand there and tell me there’s nothing there for me? The animals were my only friends, Harry. Way before you were! I had nothing Harry. Nothing. My parents died in there. They died in there! I thought you were different Harry. I thought you would be the one man that would never be an insufferable prick! But I was wrong. Very wrong. You’re the same as every man I’ve met. I can’t believe I came here. It was a waste of my time,” Hermione whispered with tears rolling down her cheeks. Harry stood there, contemplating what he had just said and heard. He fisted his hands in regret. “Goodbye, Prince Harry,” she sobbed, running into the Forbidden Forest with her hands over her eyes. He tried to run after her, but Sirius gripped his shoulder. “Sirius! Let me go! I need to go find her!” Harry commanded, struggling against his Godfather. Sirius shook his head. “Leave her be, Harry. She deserves to be left alone right now. Let her cool off,” Sirius murmured. “Sirius, I just can’t let her go! What if she goes away and never comes back? Do you know how hard that would be for me?” Harry asked. “Harry, there are millions of girls out there,” Sirius said. “None of them are Hermione and they never will be,” Harry yelled. “Harry, wait until tomorrow morning. You’re tired and you can’t go out when you’re exhausted and it’s pitch black. Both of you need to be alone right now and then you can go after her,” Harry’s Godfather decided. Harry stopped struggling. “Fine. But if she isn’t back, I need to go look for her. I can’t lose her,” Harry whispered, turning his back to Sirius and walking back to the Potter Manor. “Harry? Harry, dear. Wake up,” a soft voice told. Harry groaned softly and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes. The previous night, he could not get enough sleep. “Mum? What time is it?” Harry asked wearily. “It’s ten o’clock in the morning dear. You overslept,” Lily smiled sitting down on the bed next to him. “Oh,” was all Harry said before he looked at Lily and then turned his head away. “Is there something wrong Harry? Is it about Hermione?” she asked. Harry nodded slowly and laid his head on Lily’s lap. “It’s just so unfair, mum. She just left. I mean, I know I said some things that I didn’t mean to say, but she just wouldn’t understand,” Harry whispered closing his eyes. “From what Sirius told your father and I, I wouldn’t blame Hermione. Not all girls are clueless Harry. We do have our own feelings and sometimes men say things to the one woman they love that they don’t mean. And sometimes that can be hard,” Lily explained, stroking her son’s hair. “Hermione’s so different from the other girls here. I feel like I’ve known her for so long,” Harry said thoughtfully. “Well, she is a wonderful girl. Of course, I know that you’ve noticed that. And many others,” she smiled. “She’s amazing, mum. Hermione is such a beautiful person. Inside and out. She just can’t realize that. Hermione is kind and gentle. Especially with animals. She looks so delicate. I feel that if I touch her, she will break. She deserves so much. I can’t believe I met someone like her. She’s unbelievable,” Harry breathed. Lily laughed at the dreamy look in her son’s eyes. “It seems you’re quite fond of Hermione. When you find her, you should invite her to the Christmas Ball. It’d be lovely to see you two dancing,” Lily kissed Harry’s forehead. “I can imagine her now. In the most elegant dress robes you’ve ever seen. Her hair combed into the silkiest threads. I wish I could run my fingers through her hair. It looks so soft,” Harry whispered, imagining her face in his mind. “You love her?” Lily asked tentatively. “I know I’ve only known her for a bit. But I feel like I’ve known her my whole life,” he smiled. “Maybe you should dress and get some breakfast. Then you can go look for her. Luckily, she might not have gone far,” Lily tried to cheer him up. “Hopefully. I just hope you’re right,” he replied, getting up and stretching a bit. “See you in a bit,” she smiled, walking out. “Okay,” Harry said, walking into the bathroom. (*A/N: STOP PRODDING ME, FRANK! DON’T PROD! OR I WON’T WRITE! LOL)* “Good morning, Harry,” James greeted with a smile. “Hi, dad. Mum. Sirius. Remus,” Harry bowed slightly before sitting down slightly. “How are you?” Remus asked. “I’m fine. A bit tired. But I’m all right,” Harry smiled wearily before sitting down and slowly playing with his breakfast. “Sweetie, eat a bit of toast at least. We have a bit of butter dear,” Lily offered, showing him the plate of toasted bread. “No thanks, mum. I’m not very hung-,” he was cut off as he heard the doors open. “Umm, your Majesties?” a soft voice said from the entrance. Harry and the others turned to see Hermione standing, wet from the thunderstorm the previous night. “Hermione! Look at you! You’re soaking wet and you’re going to get sick!” Lily exclaimed rushing over to her and feeling her forehead. “You’re a bit warm,” she examined. “I’m fine. Really, I’m just a bit cold,” Hermione replied weakly, avoiding Harry’s green gaze. “Harry, take her up to her room,” James commanded. Hermione stiffened. “It’s all right honey,” Lily soothed. Slowly, Hermione watched as Harry lead her to her room. They silenced themselves, afraid of saying something wrong. Harry opened the door and followed her inside, closing the door behind them. “Hermione-,” “Harry-,” They shared a nervous laugh. “Hermione, I’m so sorry I blew up at you like that. I never meant to lose my temper. I should have never done that. I’m so sorry,” Harry whispered guiltily. He was soon engulfed in an embrace by Hermione. “Oh Harry! I’ve never been so afraid in my life. I felt so alone last night. I’ve missed you so much,” she sobbed. Harry slowly wrapped his arms around her and clutched her to him. “I missed you too. So much. Even if it was only for a while. What happened? Something bad? Tell me,” he whispered running his fingers through her wet hair. “I went back to the Forbidden Forest and tried to sleep. I had a nightmare. It was so real. It was when my parents died. Everyone was blaming me for their deaths. And you. You said I should be put to death. I never thought you would be so cruel,” Hermione whimpered. Harry’s grip around her tightened. “Mione. It was only a nightmare. No one blames you. It’s not your fault. It was Voldemort’s. Shhh. You’re safe. Know this. I would never hurt you. Nothing will happen to you while I’m around,” he smiled. Hermione sighed. “It’s so cold,” Hermione’s teeth chattered. “Wait right here,” Harry commanded, kissing her forehead and walking out. She blinked confusingly. A few moments later, Harry came rushing in with a pair of pajamas in his arms. “Here. These are really warm,” he stated showing her the pajamas that were made from green velvet. “Are they yours?” Hermione asked. “Yeah. But I can’t wear them. They’re a bit too small for me. You can have them if you would like, Harry suggested. “Thank you. Let me go change into them. I’m freezing,” Hermione smiled, walking to the bathroom. “I hope she decides to stay here,” he whispered to himself, a smile playing on his lips. He closed his eyes and imagined Hermione’s gentle face in his mind. It was so much like his mother’s gentle face. “They’re so warm!” Hermione’s voice squealed with delight. “I’m glad you like them,” he grinned. “They smell like you,” she blushed, “Oh, and what do I smell like?” Harry challenged. “Like the forest after a fresh rain storm,” Hermione sighed. Harry’s face resembled that of a beet. “Umm, thanks,” Harry stumbled. Hermione slowly made her way over to the bed and sat down on the edge. She patted the seat next to her. “Come sit with me Harry,” she offered. Harry nodded silently before taking the seat. “I’m sorry for running off like that last night,” she apologized softly. “It’s okay. Think nothing of it,” Harry smiled. Hermione blinked a few times when she spotted a scar beneath his dark bangs. “What’s that?” she asked, pointing at his forehead. “What’s what?” Harry asked back. “That,” Hermione answered, touching the scar that resembled a lightning-bolt. “Oh, you mean my scar. I got it when I was a baby,” he replied. “How did you get it?” she questioned. “Voldemort and his Death Eaters tried to raid Gryffindor. But they had managed to get through the Auror Knights. My parents were a bit injured. All I really know about my scar is that when Voldemort tried to kill me, he couldn’t and left the scar. It senses if dangers coming,” Harry explained. “Oh,” was all Hermione could say. “I’m sorry if that brought up any bad memories,” Harry apologized with a concerned gaze. “No. It’s just that, I can’t believe you had to endure that,” Hermione whispered tracing her finger over his scar. Harry shivered under her gentle touch. “Are you all right?” she asked. Harry nodded slowly. “Why did Voldemort kill your parents if I may ask?” he said gently. She stiffened a little. “They were Muggles, Harry. He was after Muggles. As well as Muggle-Born witches and wizards of course. He wanted to kill me because I was a Muggle-Born witch. But he didn’t. At least, not yet,” Hermione informed. Harry stayed silent. “Will you stay?” he asked out of the blue. She blinked. “You mean live here?” Hermione asked back. “I don’t know about that Harry. I don’t want to impose. . . .,” she trailed off. “You can never impose on me. My parents love you! Please say you’ll stay,” Harry pleaded. “I’ll think about it. I’ll be sure about that,” Hermione smiled. “Promise you’ll think through it carefully,” he grinned. “I promise,” she giggled. A knock came at the door. “Come in,” Hermione called. Slowly, Lily came in with a tray that seemed to have a bowl and a two cups. “Ah, I expected you’d be here, Harry dear. Can you hold this for me for a minute, honey?” she asked Harry. “Yes, mum,” Harry agreed, taking hold of the chair. “Hermione. You should be in bed,” Lily stated. Hermione laughed nervously and jumped under the covers. “Your hair is still wet. Where’s my wand?” she asked herself, searching through her pockets. “AHA! There it is. Solarialis,” she cast. Instantly, Hermione’s hair became dry and warm. She leaned back against her pillows and thanked Lily. “Now, I brought you some delicious soup Dobby prepared. And some butterbeer. Do you like that, Hermione?” Lily asked. “Oh, yes. Of course. Thank you. Umm, Lily, do you by any chance pay the house-elves?” she asked cautiously. Lily winked at Hermione. “Yes! Absolutely. That would be most unfair if they did not get paid for their job well done,” she smiled, walking out and closing the door. Harry smiled before picking up a mug of butterbeer and handing it to Hermione. She took a tiny sip of it and her body began to fill with a warm tingling sensation. She shuddered in delight. “It’s delicious,” Harry smiled, drinking his own butterbeer. He slowly placed the tray of soup on Hermione’s lap and blew the soup a bit, cooling it. “Thanks Harry. But I think I can blow my own food,” Hermione laughed. Harry blushed embarrassed. “Sorry,” he apologized. She smiled softly before taking a spoonful of the broth and smile warmly. Harry tapped his fingers against each other. “Uh, Hermione? May I ask you something?” he asked. “You just did,” Hermione smirked. “May I ask you a different question then?” Harry asked again. Hermione nodded. “W-Well, wou-would you li-like to go to the Chris-Christmas Ball wit-with m-me?” *A/N:* *Hi! I’m back! I hope you all liked that chapter and hope you review! Pretty please? Yes, Frank. I know you’re thinking of ways to prod, patronize, and remind me. LOL. Do you have a screename? Because I know I would like to talk to you. Could you please e-mail me at* Hermione5745@aol.com? *Thanks! Love you guys!* *P.S. I’m sorry I didn’t update. But hey, last week you got 2 updates for the price of 1! Right now, I’m having some real emotional issues, so I’m sorry if my updates are a bit slow. Don’t lose faith!* 6. Ginny -------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 6: Ginny’s Shocking Secret and Harry Awe* “Wh-What?” Hermione stuttered, her face shown in disbelief. She stood still, looking at Harry. “Wou-Would you like to g-go to the Ch-Christmas B-Ball with me?” Harry asked nervously, fiddling with his fingers. He couldn’t look in her eyes, fear of rejection in his eyes. Hermione smiled softly. She placed her fingers under his chin and lifted his face up. “I’d be honored,”she answered. Harry’s eyes widened in shock. “You will?” he asked. “Of course! Who would say no to Prince Harry?” she teased with a wink. Harry blushed and smiled back at her. “Thank you. I thought you would have said no,” Harry said guiltily. “Well there’s one problem. I have nothing to wear!” Hermione laughed. Harry blinked. “My mother will know how to help you. I can’t believe you accepted!” he grinned. She sighed softly before she remembered something. “Oh no!” she exclaimed, feeling around her neck. Harry’s eyes stared confusingly. “What’s wrong?” he questioned. Hermione looked at him with a stricken look on her face. “My necklace! It must have fell off when I went back to the forest!” she cried. “What’s so special about it?” Harry said carefully. Hermione had tears trickling down her cheeks. “My parents gave me that before they died,” she whispered as Harry pulled her into a comforted embrace. He ran his fingers through her bushy hair as he tried soothing her sobs. “It’s all right Hermione. I’ll get it back for you,” Harry whispered into her ear gently. Hermione looked up at him. “N-No, you don’t have to do that,” she argued weakly. Harry gave her a smile. “You’re one of my closest friends Hermione. Even more than most of my friends. I care about you. Very much,” he confessed. She buried her face in his shoulder and cried. “Stay here. I’ll go get it. Don’t worry,” Harry smiled, pulling away from Hermione and slowly making his way out. “Thank you, Harry,” Hermione whispered as she watched him growing farther away. Harry grabbed his cloak and clasped it around his neck. He grabbed his Firebolt. (*A/N: Yes, Harry has a broom.)* He mounted his broom and flew off. “That necklace is the only connection Hermione has with her parents,” Harry muttered sadly, but determined to find it no matter what. Harry flew through the dark skies and over the tree of the Forbidden Forest. He landed in front of Hermione’s small house and opened the door, hearing it squeak. It was cold and drafty without Hermione’s presence in the room. Harry looked over at the table that was in front of a worn-out chair. On it was a silver necklace. Hanging off of it was a sapphire heart-shaped sapphire. *‘Hermione’s birth stone,’* Harry thought, smiling softly. He slipped the necklace into his pocket and walked out. Harry looked around carefully before getting on his broom. Before he could fly off, voices stopped him. “I don’t care about Harry. I told you!” a girl’s voice shrieked quietly. “I told you. I don’t fucking want him around you. I know how you liked him,” a man’s voice swore. (*A/N: Sorry about the swearing.)* Slowly, Harry crept behind a tree and poked his head out. His eyes widened at what he saw. “Ginny, Potter is a bastard.” Draco’s voice spiked. “He’s in Gryffindor. You’re in Slytherin. He’s Prince. You’re Prince. And you are enemies. But that doesn’t mean we have to be,” Ginny said softly, reaching out to touch his cheek. Draco’s face softened. “I know Red. But he’s Saint Potter. Defeated Voldemort! Will everyone just forget about it?” he sneered. Harry watched, his jaw slack. ‘*Ginny and Draco? Unbelievable!’* Harry thought incredulously. “Can’t we just forget about him? I don’t like him anymore,” Ginny whispered desperately, reaching up and kissing him. She moaned softly as Draco turned and pushed her against a tree. Whimpers came from her mouth as he suckled the flesh of her skin. Harry hid behind a tree, disgusted and nauseated. He mounted his broom and flew as fast as he could back to his house. Hermione stood in her room with her arms flared out as Mademoiselle Anastasie measured her height. Lily had heard of Hermione’s escort to the Christmas Ball, so she wanted to help with her outfit. ‘*My, my, Harry has wonderful taste,’* Lily smiled. Anastasie grabbed her wand and pointed it at Hermione. “How about this dress, dear?” she asked as a powder blue gown appeared on Hermione’s body. “Oh Hermione! You look beautiful,” Lily exclaimed. Hermione blushed as a mirror appeared in front of her. She had to admit, she did look pretty. “Hermione!” Harry’s voice yelled, bursting into the room. He stopped dead in his tracks as he spotted Hermione. She turned around and looked at Harry. Harry stood, awed at the sight in front of him. “Wo-Wow,” Harry spoke. “Doesn’t she look stunning, Harry?” Lily asked. Hermione blushed under his gaze. “Stunning. Yeah,” Harry said, dreamily. Hermione felt herself blushing more. “Thank you, Harry. I appreciate it,” she whispered, turning around and looking at herself in the mirror. Lily winked at Harry, who looked down with a red face. “Now shoo! No seeing your date until the ball. Go on!” Harry’s mother pushed him out and closed the door. Harry slumped against the door before he remembered Hermione’s necklace. He tried opening the door, but found it locked. “Come on, son. Let’s play some Quidditch,” James grinned. Harry smiled and grabbed his broom. ‘*I guess it can wait.’* he thought. *A/N: Sorry I didn’t update everyone! I’ve been so busy lately! But don’t worry! Hermione Potter is still alive! I’m going to be updating most of my fics by next week! Thanks for stickin with me!* 7. Jingle Bells --------------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *Hermione Potter* *Chapter 7: Jingle Bells* ‘*Knock, knock’* Hermione opened her eyes slowly, rubbing sleep from them. She got out of bed and opened the door before being swooped into the air. “Good morning!” Harry’s happy voice said, swinging her around. “Harry! What are you doing?” she asked, softly laughing. “We’re going to decorate the house for Christmas! And you’re helping!” he laughed along with her as he set her down on the floor. “That’s great. Just let me get dressed,” she replied, going to her closet. “Of course. See you in a few minutes milady,” Harry bowed. “Thank you, sire,” she curtsied with a laugh as he shut the door behind him. Hermione shook her head and looked through her clothes figuring what to wear. Most of them were her old clothes. She didn’t want to wear them because they weren’t good enough for Lily, James, and especially Harry. Then she saw the outfit that Anastasie made for her a while ago. It was a red long-sleeved blouse with white snowflakes that had a matching long skirt. On the collar of her blouse was a single silver bell that had a beautiful ring to it. She bit her lip before slipping it on and putting her hair up. Hermione took a long breath before walking out of her room and walking down to the kitchen where she saw Harry, his back facing her. Obviously he didn’t hear her come in. “Good morning, Harry,” she greeted, watching him turn around. “Good morning, Mio-wow,” he stumbled, dropping the piece of bread he wwas holding. “Do I look okay?” she asked. “More than okay. You look brilliant,” he grinned, giving her a piece of toast. “Thank you,” Hermione smiled, munching on her breakfast. “My mum and dad are in the other room, putting the tree up. Do you want to go decorate that first?” Harry asked. “Oh, sure. That’d be great,” she answered, smiling softly at him while she followed him into the living room. “Good morning Hermione,” Lily smiled at her as she hung tinsel around the pine tree. “Hi Lily. James,” she bowed politely. “Hello Hermione,” James greeted as he lit the fireplace. “Oh before I forget, this is for you,” Harry turned to her and took out her necklace. “Oh Harry! You found it! Thank you!” Hermione exclaimed, giving him a tight hug. “You’re welcome. Here, I’ll put it on for you,” he said softly, linking it around her neck. “This really means a lot to me. I don’t know how I can repay you,” she whispered tearfully. “Hey, hey. No need to cry. It was nothing. I’d do anything for you,” he murmured in her ear as he watched her blush before a cough interrupted them. The two looked up to see Lily and James looking at them, James with a grin and Lily with a loving smile. “If you two love birds don’t mind, we’d like to get the decorations up before Christmas,” James chuckled as they both became embarrassed. “Sorry...,” Harry apologized taking some ornaments and hanging them on the tree. Hermione avoided his gaze shyly and decorated the fire place. “They really are quite obvious, don’t you think?” Lily whispered in her husband’s ear. “Absolutely. Maybe like us,” he grinned as she shook her head at him. “Insatiable,” she stuck her tongue out at him before going into the kitchen do bake some cookies. As Hermione moved around the room, her little silver bell rang like sleigh bells which relaxed her a bit. Hermione looked through the window to see snow falling from the sky. She smiled before walking outside and spinning in the snow. “Snow...it’s so beautiful. Mum used to take outside and we’d play all day. I’d make snow angels and snow men,” she sighed, laying back in the snow before moving her arms and legs to make a snow angel. “Mum...Dad...I wish you were here with me. But I know you’re watching me now,” she said looking up at the skies. “Sickle for your thoughts?” a voice asked next to her. Hermione turned her head and saw Lily sit beside her in the snow. “Sure...I was just thinking of my parents,” she sighed. “It was cruel that James and I got to spend so much time with your parents and you so little. But you know, loved ones never really leave. They’re always in your heart,” Lily said. (*A/N:* *Haha! From Prisoner of Azkaban at the end.)* “I know. I always think of them. My mother loved the sound of bells. Especially at Christmas time. They always brought a jingle into our house,” Hermione smiled softly. “Well, you’ll always have a family here,” Lily replied. “I know. I have a new family that I’m spending Christmas with.” *A/N:* *I’m up to a rocky start because I’m STILL saving my old files to my computer. So I’m a little rusty. Please review. Be nice. It’s almost Christmas!* 8. Beautiful ------------ *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 8: Beautiful* “Oh, I’m so nervous!” Hermione exclaimed as Gwendolyn and Lily got her ready for the Christmas Ball in their dancing hall. Lily laughed. “Oh, Hermione. I remember when James’s parents asked me to come to the ball. I was in a fright just like you, but much worse,” she explained. Hermione just kept staring at herself in the mirror. “Do you think Harry will like it?” Hermione asked. Gwendy smiled heartily at the girl. “Miss Granger, I am positive that our young Harry Potter will be rendered speechless by your lovely appearance.” Hermione blushed hotly ad murmured a quiet, “thank you.” She continued to stare at herself in the mirror and smiled. She didn’t look that bad at all. She looked very pretty to say at the least. Her hair had been tied up with into a bun that had strands from sticking from it. But ringlets framed her face, bringing her brown eyes out. Her eyes were shown off with a soft shadow of whitish-silver powder that made her look mysterious. She wore no other make up except for a shiny gloss that graced her lips. The dress she wore was very simple but accompanied the shape of her body. It was pure white and stretched to the floor. It was held on by two thin straps, but had ruffles below her arms which created sleeves that nearly reached her wrists. “Almost done. Now for the finishing touch....,” Lily trailed as she opened one of her jewelry boxes to reveal a crystal head piece that sparkled when the light hit it. In the center was a flower that amazed Hermione. It was stunning. Then Lily placed it on her head. Hermione’s eyes widened. “Oh no! I couldn’t! It’s too beau-,” but she was cut off. “Nonsense! It looks perfect on you! And your necklace goes perfect with everything as well. Now, the ball is starting soon. And I’m sure that Harry will be coming to get you any second!” Lily exclaimed. “Honestly, Miss Granger. Don’t worry. He’ll think you’re very beautiful,” Gwendy smiled. Suddenly, the doorbell was rung throughout the huge “castle/house”. (*A/N:* *lol. I want them in a surrounding of a castle*) “Oh! The guests are arriving already? I’ll go get that,” Gwendy said. “No, Gwendolyn. I will. Tonight, you can relax and enjoy yourself at the ball,” Lily grinned, before disappearing outside. “You remind me of Lily when she was your age. So curious and such a sweet girl,” the elder woman said to Hermione and cleaned up before heading out herself. Hermione sighed softly and looked at herself in the full-length mirror. The finishing result was beautiful. After all, she never had this kind of luxury. And she did like it... “Hermione?” Harry’s voice called from behind the door. She jumped, startled and took a deep breath before walking to the door and opening it.. Harry looked up and his jaw dropped. “So...do I look all right?” she asked shyly, looking down. To say she looked all right was a huge understatement. Harry blinked a few times before his mind came back to Earth. He lifted her chin up so that he could look into her eyes. “I must say, that I have never seen someone as beautiful as you, Hermione. The fairest of them all,” he grinned teasingly, nearly avoiding a hit from her. “Thank you Harry. And might I say that you brush up nicely as well,” she replied wit a smirk. And she was right. He was dressed in midnight blue dress robes that had gold trims. His hair was as messy as ever from the attempts that she could tell he made. But all in all it was still very adorable. “Well, may I have the pleasure of escorting this fair lady to the Ball?” he grinned as kneeled and kissed her hand. She blushed. “Of course,” Hermione smiled, before they laced hands and began walking toward the dancing hall. “My friend Lee Jordan will be introducing the royals from each kingdom. I hope you don’t mind.” Harry told. “No, of course not. I don’t mind one bit, really,” Hermione turned to him and kissed his cheek. His eyes widened. “What was that for?” he asked. “For letting me stay here. For taking me to the ball. For being a gentleman,” she answered, as they reached the front of the hall. “Harry! There you are!” Cho’s perky voice yelled. Harry groaned. “Umm, and she is?” Hermione whispered. He sighed. “Old crush. Won’t leave me alone....” “Oh Harry! I haven’t seen you in such a long time! Marybeth and Gwendolyn keep telling me you’re always busy. I’ve missed you so much,” the Ravenclaw girl pouted as she hugged him tightly. Harry looked at her and patted her back nervously. “It’s good to see you too, Cho. And before I forget. This is the lovely girl I will be escorting to the ball. Hermione Granger,” Harry smiled, taking her hand again and kissing it. She bowed slightly. “It’s wonderful to meet you Lady Cho,” Hermione greeted politely. Cho looked at her as if she was a servant. “Yes...it is. And this is my escort, Roger Davies,” Cho smiled sweetly as Roger and Harry shook hands. “And might I say, you don’t have bad taste Harry,” Roger grinned. Harry grinned back. “Why thank you my dear sir. But I think that my choice was her choice indeed,” he replied which kind of confused everyone. “Well well, look who it is. Potter,” Draco Malfoy’s eerie voice called. “Mind your attitude Malfoy. I’ve had enough of our wars. Give it a rest,” Harry growled. “Watch your back Potter. You wouldn’t want your precious forest girl getting hurt,” draco whispered dangerously in his ear. Harry’s eyes flashed angrily. “You keep your bloody hands away from her. If I see you near her, I will personally hurt you myself,” Harry threatened back Draco narrowed his eyes and became silent. . “Good evening everyone. Thank you for coming to the Gryffindor Kingdom Christmas Ball. And what is better than introducing our princes and princess!” Lee Jordan’s voice sounded from the hall. “Better be getting ready then,” Harry smiled and squeeze Hermione’s hand. “Don’t worry. You’ll do fine,” he whispered in her ear and felt her relax instantly. “From the Slytherin Kingdom, Prince Draco and Lady Pansy,” Lee announced as the guests clapped while Draco and Pansy descended down the steps and into the hall. “From Hufflepuff, Prince Justin and Lady Hannah.” The couple descended down just as Draco and Pansy had. “From Ravenclaw, Princess Cho and Sir Roger.” “Oh, Harry! Save me a dance,” Cho winked at Harry. He tugged his collar uncomfortably and just stayed still. And then Cho disappeared behind the doors. “Harry?” Hermione said next to him. He turned his head and looked at her. “Yeah?” “I just wanted to thank you for taking me to this. You didn’t have to,” she smiled. Harry relaxed considerably. “I wouldn’t come here with anyone but you,” he whispered softly and saw her blushed which made his fill with joy. “And from our very own Gryffindor Kingdom, Prince Harry and Lady Hermione!” Lee Announced finally and the two made their way down to the hall. Hermione blushed as the guests whispered and stared at her. After all, this was the first time she was appearing willingly. Harry tightened his fingers around her reassuringly. She sighed as James started to talk. “Thank you for attending our ball this evening. Please enjoy it and after the dancing, we shall be feasting ourselves in dinner and we hope you stay to enjoy the festivities. And with that, please if you may, dance!” James announced and with the flick of his wrist, music sounded around. Harry grinned and turned to Hermione. “May I have this dance?” he asked, bowing slightly. “You may,” she answered taking his hand and he wrapped his arm around her waist as she laid a hand on his shoulder. From the other side of the room, Lily and James swayed to the soft music. “My my. Harry is growing up so fast.. And wouldn’t Hermione make a wonderful bride for him?” Lily sighed and placed her head on James’s shoulder. He chuckled above her. “Lily. He’s only seventeen. He shall be wed as soon as he turns eighteen. And then he will have a Queen. Now we don’t know if Hermione will be, but we know better than to drive him into a marriage where he won’t be in love. Just give him time Lils,” James explained, kissing her forehead. “Of course. And he better not blow it like his father,” she winked. “Oh, Lils. That hurt,” he pouted and watched her laugh. “May I cut in?” Albus asked and appeared dancing with Minerva McGonagall. “But of course Albus. I’d be honored to dance with Minerva,” James spoke smoothly and traded dancing partners with Albus. Lily smiled at the older wizard. “Having a good time Albus?” she asked as they danced gracefully. His blue eyes twinkled. “Quite. Thank you for inviting me. It has been a while since I’ve seen Harry. He’s grown into quite the young man. Reminds me of James. Had a habit of getting into trouble. Noble none the least. Though James had you to make him *try* to stay out of it,” Albus chuckled. “Well he was a Potter. And Potters always had that habit. Especially Harry. But he did it for fun which didn’t cause that much damage,” Lily laughed as she watched James charm Minerva. Later that evening, Harry and Hermione shared their fifth dance. “Have you been enjoying your time here?” he asked, breathing in the scent of her hair. ‘Very much. It’s really peaceful,” Hermione answered in a soft whisper. Harry felt her fingers playing with the hair that was at the nape of his neck. “I hope you consider living here,” Harry smiled, tightening his embrace around her. She could feel her face heat up as he said that. “I might.. You never know Harry Potter,” she grinned. “Oh really Hermione Granger?” he joked back as he spun her. He heard her giggle as he dipped her lightly. “I almost thought you were going to drop me there,” she smiled. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and whispered quietly. “I would never do anything like that intentionally. I would do anything to protect you ‘Mione.” Harry replied. He felt her smile as they continued to dance silently, she listening to the beats of his heart. *A/N:* *Sorry for such the long wait in updating this story. It might be still rusty. I know a bit over a year ago, I would be updating every week, but I’ve noticed that now that I take longer, the story becomes more in depth and detailed. I might update every 2 weeks if I have time. 2-4 weeks time. Soo...until I decide, please review and be nice!!! Thank you*. *These are what Hermione’s clothes and accessories looked like at the ball.* Hermione’s Dress Hermione’s Hairstyle Hermione’s Hairpiece 9. Two Ways to Find Trouble --------------------------- *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 9: Two Ways to Find Trouble* From the corner of his eye, Harry saw Ginny slip past the doors and out. Suddenly, he stopped dancing. “Harry? What’s wrong?” Hermione asked, looking up at him. “Sorry. Just follow me,” Harry gripped her hand and they slipped quietly after Ginny. “Harry! Where are we going?” Hermione whispered, as she walked after Harry. “I saw Ginny run out. She wasn’t supposed to,” he explained. “Ginny? You mean that girl you were with that day in the forest with the Dementors?” she made a face. Harry held his finger to his lips to silence her and quietly neared a lit room. Harry peered through the keyhole and saw Ginny. His eyes widened. Harry opened the door and heard the Weasley girl gasp. “Ginny? What are you doing with Malfoy?” he asked. Ginny was in the embrace of Draco Malfoy. His eyes narrowed at the couple. Hermione stood behind Harry, rolling her eyes at Ginny. She could feel the redhead’s eyes narrow at her. “Well Harry, since you couldn’t satisfy my needs and wants, I went to someone else. Someone much better,” Ginny smiled as Draco lowered his lips to her neck. Harry was disgusted. “Your parents and brothers wouldn’t be happy about this, Virginia. You should go back to the ball while I have a talk with....Malfoy,” Harry replied, trying to restrain his name-calling. Ginny sighed before waltzing bak inside the dancing hall. Draco’s eyes darkened. “Look here, Pot-,” he was cut off when Harry pushed him against the wall. “No, you look here you filthy name of a wizard, you end it with Ginny or even the Death Eaters won’t be able to find your scrawny body,” Harry threatened. Hermione stared in disbelief. “I don’t think you should be worrying about Red. You should be worrying about your little mudblood bitch. The Death Eaters would love to have her. She doesn’t have that bad of a bo-,” Draco couldn’t finish his sentence because Harry had punched him right in the stomach. “Don’t you bloody dare threaten Hermione. You aren’t worthy enough to even say her name. I told you once and I would be happy to tell you again. You are to stay away from Hermione. Never go near her you ferret,” Harry growled, putting him down and leaving a stunned Draco on the ground. Hermione walked back quietly behind Harry, thinking of what had happened. She had never seen him act that way. The Harry she usually saw was kind, shy, and sweet. This Harry was protective, vengeful of Draco, and just..different. Suddenly she bumped into Harry. “Why’d you stop?” she asked softly, watching him turn to her. “I’m sorry about my outburst back there. Sometimes he really gets to me. And what he said about you really..got me,” Harry sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. Hermione looked up at him. This was the Harry she loved....*Loved? That’s taking it a bit far isn’t it?* “It’s okay. It just really surprised me. I’ve never seen you act that way,” Hermione smiled gently. He just nodded quietly in response. “Ginny...was she...ever your...you know.....” she asked wearily. “No. I mean, I know she’s liked me a lot, but I don’t see her that way. She’s my best friend’s sister so I see her as a sister,” Harry answered. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. “Why do you ask?” “Um..well..I was just wondering,” she blushed. Harry looked at her for a few moments as she felt her face heat up more. “You know, you’re very pretty when you’re flustered,” he chuckled, not realizing what he just said. Her eyes widened. “Oh shush you dolt,” she smacked his shoulder playfully. He smiled teasingly at her. “I’m serious. You look very beautiful,” Harry whispered softly, caressing her cheek. She found herself falling into his emerald eyes. “Th-Thank you....,” she stuttered as he pressed his lips to hers. Unknown to the two, a raven-headed Ravenclaw was watching with jealousy. *A/N: This update is for Frank my patronizing reviewer. I’ve missed my reviewers soooo much! I hope you all missed me too. Hehe..* 10. Green Eyed Monster ---------------------- *A/N:* *Chapter 9's author note is gone and was replaced with a new chapter, but you all did not notice it, so look out for this chapter!* *Worlds Apart, Hearts Close* *By Hermione Potter* *Chapter 10: Green Eyed Monster* Hermione closed her eyes as Harry’s kiss deepened, wrapping his arms around her. “Hermione....” he murmured as she drew her fingers through his hair. She was already up against a stone wall. They were too caught up in their passion to realize a gapping Cho. “*How could Harry like a thing like her?! I am so much prettier than her!”* Cho thought angrily. Then her frown turned into an evil grin. Harry slowly pulled away, taking shallow breaths as he buried his face in her neck. In turn, she needed to lean against him from keeping her knees from buckling. They both smiled at each other. “That was certainly-” “Amazing.” Harry chuckled, putting his arm under her back and knees before picking her up and spinning her around. He grinned, watching her clutch to him shrieking to be let down. He listened to her wishes and placed her back on the floor. “I like you...a lot Hermione,” he whispered, leaning his forehead against hers. Her smile faded knowing he only liked her instead of loved her like she did with him. “I like you too Harry,” she smiled, kissing his cheek. He blushed, cupping her neck, and bringing her into another short kiss. She giggled softly, pulling away. “I’m sure your parents are waiting for us.” she whispered. “So let them wait a bit more, I’ve been wanting to kiss you forever,” he tried kissing her, but she resisted. “Harry, there’s much more time for that. For now, let’s just go back to the ball and not give anyone ideas yet,” she smiled, leading him back into the hall. Cho fisted her hands angrily. “How could she make him like her in less then five months while I’ve been trying to for two years?!” Harry and Hermione walked back into the hall and saw everyone was still dancing. Harry spotted his parents dancing. He sighed. He always wanted to have what his parents had. Someone to actually love, and to have them love him back. He hoped that Hermione would be that someone. Hermione glanced at him and watched as a red-headed boy walk toward her. “Mind if I take her for a spin on the floor eh, Potter?” he grinned. Harry grinned back. “Sure, I’ll dance with Luna,” Harry smiled before disappearing in the crowds to find...Luna. “Come on,” he said, bring her out and placing a hand on her waist and clasped his other hand around hers. “What’s your relation to Harry?” Hermione asked, stepping back and forth. “I’ve been his best friend since we were eleven. I’m Ron Weasley. And of course you’re Hermione Granger.” Hermione nodded and continued to dance with him. “Who’s Luna?” she asked another question. “She’s...uh my close friend,” Ron said thoughtfully. Hermione chuckled. “When you say close friend, you mean you both like each other more than close friends,” she grinned. “Yes.” After a few more minutes, Harry walked over to the two and wrapped his arm around his arm around her shoulder. “Well, I’ll leave you two and go find Luna. Oh and Hermione? Don’t break the poor boy’s heart. He’s had too many of those already,” Ron grinned, patting Harry on the shoulder. He gave his friend a glare before turning to Hermione. She stared at him. “What did he mean by that?” she asked as they both sat town at the high table. “I’ve had really bad relationships before. Fleur Delacour, Cho Chang, Susan Bones, Isabella Montague,” he sighed, taking a sip from his goblet. “Oh,” she said. He looked at her. “But that doesn’t mean I want it to happen with us. I really like you Hermione...You make me feel happy. And I really do want us to work,” he smiled, stroking his thumb down her cheek. “*Merlin, she’s beautiful.”* he thought. “I want it to work too,” she smiled, kissing his lips briefly. “Excuse me. Hope I’m not interrupting anything important. Harry, would you like to dance?” Cho sauntered up to them and batted her eye lashes at him. “Umm...if it’s okay with Hermione,” he replied nervously. “Of course she doesn’t mind!” Cho smiled, pulling him to dance. Hermione rolled her eyes at Cho. *“Boy is she a desperate girl...”* “Isn’t this like old times Harry?” Cho whispered, pulling him close to her. He pushed her away and placed his hands where they belonged, along with hers. “Cho, I don’t appreciate that you’re trying to sashay your way to make me like you. I’ve told you loads of times, I’m not interested,” he sighed, dancing back and forth. “But don’t you miss the passion we had? The lust, the love?” she pouted, running her hand down his chest. He snatched her hand and put it back on his shoulder. “We had NO passion. NO lust or love. I may have had a crush on you at some point of my life, but I’m over it Cho,” Harry breathed, breaking away from her. *“Oh no you don’t.”* she breathed, pulling him back and kissing him. His eyes widened in shock as she kissed him harder. Hermione’s eyes widened as she saw Cho kiss Harry. But what shocked her was that Harry didn’t push her away. She felt her heart break and ran out of the hall, only Ron noticing. “Cho! Gods!” he exclaimed pushing her away. He wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. “What the hell was that about?” Harry asked angrily. “Didn’t you feel that spark? It’s still there Harry. Oh Harry, we could still have a chance,” she smiled sweetly. “No we don’t have a chance. We never had and we never will,” Harry breathed before walking away. Hermione felt tears pricking at her eyes. She promised herself she would not cry. But she couldn’t help it. She ran into the stables and mounted StarFire before riding off hurriedly. “I got to love someone and heartbroken in one night.” Back in the hall, Harry walked back to the table to find Hermione wasn’t there. He felt someone clasp their hand over his shoulder. It was Ron. “She ran out mate...I guess...she saw what happened.” he explained. Harry’s eyes widened before he dashed out and ran to her room. Almost everything was gone. On the made bed laid his pajamas that he had given to her along with the dress and headpiece his mother gave her. His heart started breaking and he ran outside to the stables.... StarFire was gone too. *A/N:* *Well....I felt like updating, so please review. This is my present for all of you for the release of HBP! I hope you all pre-ordered the book and are going to the midnight parties. I wish you all well and alas...we will meet again!*