Dark Betrayal by Heaven Rating: R Genres: Romance, Suspense Relationships: Harry & Hermione Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5 Published: 17/02/2003 Last Updated: 30/06/2003 Status: Completed When Hermione is taken from her home and almost killed, she becomes afraid of being alone. Harry invites her to stay with him until her would be murderer is caught. Sparks fly as they try and catch the culprit, what will happen between Harry and Hermione? 1. Chapter One -------------- **A/N: Well here I am starting a new story when I have no right to ;) I got attacked by this particular plot bunny one morning and it’s been weighing heavily in my head ever since.** **When you’re done, please leave a review!** **This story is for Ambir, Ryan and Jen, who suffered through helping me think of the title. Mwah!! Loff you guys!!!!** **Disclaimer: If I owned Harry Potter and Co, I wouldn’t be writing fanfiction for free would I?** Hermione Granger set her eagle feather quill down and rubbed her weary eyes. A glance at the clock on her desk told her it was half past seven, and time to go home. “What in the world are you still doing here?” a voice at her door made her look up and smile. “I’m about to leave, I promise.” Hermione grinned at Ernie MacMillan, one of her co-workers and good friends. “I just had to finish up this report so that Cho has it in the morning.” With one flick of her wand, the parchments collected together in a neat pile and Hermione placed it in a tray in on her desk. No sooner did her fingers leave the parchments than they disappeared, and reappeared upstairs in Cho’s office. “You’re overworking again.” Ernie wagged his finger at her. “Well you know me, always reading and compiling.” Hermione smiled outwardly. “The ever working Gryffindor spirit.” Ernie smiled back. “Just promise me you’ll get some rest soon.” He said. “Promise.” Hermione replied, her grin genuine this time. He waved and continued on down the corridor. She watched him go and then waved her wand, sending the books she had been using back onto the shelf and the spare parchment back in her drawer. She dropped a copy of her report into her leather case and pulled her cloak over her shoulders, fastening it securely. Locking her office door behind her, Hermione set off down the corridor. “You’re still here?” Millicent Bulstrode sneered as Hermione entered the front office. “Just leaving.” Hermione replied coolly, ignoring Millicent’s snide tone. She went over to the box on the wall and slid her wand inside. “Clocking out, seven thirty five.” A voice replied from the box. Hermione slipped her wand into her bag. “Why are you back?” “None of your business.” Millicent snapped, pulling something from the drawer and putting it in her purse. She brushed past Hermione, making sure to shove the smaller girl with her shoulder. “You lock up.” Hermione rolled her eyes as she watched her go. She and Millicent had never gotten along, due largely to the fact that she held a higher, better paying position in Cho’s company. She muttered the spell that would lock the office door, then turned and left the building, pulling her cloak tighter around her as the cool wind whipped around her. “Herm-own-ninny.” A familiar Bulgarian accent made her stop in her tracks. “Viktor.” Hermione closed her eyes a moment. She turned on her heel and regarded him. “What are you doing here?” “I haff come to ask you for dinner.” Viktor said. “You’ve come to ask me for dinner?” Hermione repeated, wincing at his broken English. “Vell, I would enjoy if you vould accompany me.” “Viktor….” Hermione pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to keep her temper from flaring. “I’m sorry, but no.” “Vy not?” he asked, following her as she began to walk away. “Because I’m not interested in you, Viktor.” Hermione tried to say it as politely as possible. “Look, I told you that summer I came to visit you in Bulgaria that we were only friends, that’s how it always was and always will be.” “But I really like you.” Viktor continued to follow her. “Vy can’t we work anything out?” he put a restraining hand on her arm. “Because!” Hermione snapped as she turned around, her hair flying out behind her. “I don’t think of you that way, I never have, you’re in your late twenties and you’ve been fixated on me ever since my fourth year of Hogwarts. I’ve had enough!” she was finally ready to snap. “I don’t want you anywhere near me. Stay away!” the last words came out through clenched teeth. Viktor didn’t follow her this time, instead, staring after her as she disappeared down the alley. “You can run now Herm-own-ninny, but I will haff you someday.” She walked quickly down the street, clutching her case tightly in her hand. All she wanted to do was get home, have a nice cup of tea, put her feet up and forget about what had just happened with Viktor. “Blasted wind.” Hermione muttered as it blew her cloak out behind her. A sudden sound made her stop in her tracks and whip around. “Hello? Viktor?” she called out cautiously; ready to run if a dark shape came at her. When nothing but the wind answered her, she turned back around and began walking again, this time quicker. The person grinned sinisterly as Hermione sped up her pace. Sneaking back out from behind a clump of bushes, they resumed walking behind her. Cold hatred pulsed through their veins like blood, despising her more and more with each step they took. Perfect, beautiful Hermione Granger, who everyone loved, who everyone admired. ‘You won’t be so admired when I’m finished with you.’ The person thought to themselves. They watched again as she went up the steps to her flat, opening and closing the door behind her. Narrowing their eyes, they settled back, to wait for just the right time. Hermione placed a locking spell on her door like she did every night, then placed her leather case on the table in her small foyer. Her cloak went on the hook next to the mirror, her shoes underneath. Her bedroom was down the short hallway, the other two rooms being the bathroom and a guest room. Hermione shed her work clothing, stepping into a more comfortable choice of beige pyjama trousers and a white camisole, tying her wild bushy locks back in a messy bun. Moving into the kitchen, she set her kettle on the counter and a swish and flick later, her tea was steaming in a mug. “Time to relax.” Hermione said, carrying it into her living room. She sat down in a squashy, comfortable chair and put her feet up. Closing her eyes, she took a long sip and sighed. Ring! There was a pause. Ring! Ring! Hermione groaned. “Harry!!!” she said as she set her mug down. When she installed the Muggle phone in her flat, she charmed it so each friend or family member of hers had a different ring so she’d know who it was. “Hallo Harry.” She spoke with a touch of annoyance in her voice. “Hi Hermione.” Harry replied. His voice sounded a bit subdued, she noticed. “What’s the matter?” Hermione asked perceptively, feeling bad for the way she answered. He sighed and was silent a moment. “Liz and I broke up.” “What?” Hermione asked, suddenly wide eyed in shock. Everyone thought that Harry and his girlfriend of a year would be getting married someday. “We broke up tonight.” Harry said. “Harry I’m sorry!” she said, walking back into her living room and collapsing in the chair. “What happened?” “Well, I came home today early to surprise her since our anniversary is… was….in two days… turns out she was celebrating something else, with someone else… in our bed.” “That…bitch!” Hermione was suddenly furious. “How dare she?” She could feel Harry smile at her indignation. “Who… who was it?” “I don’t know.” He answered. “Someone from her work, I guess. He hightailed it out of here pretty quick, and then she and I screamed at each other for a good half hour before she grabbed some clothes and left.” “Why?” Hermione asked. “I mean Harry; you’re like the devoted boyfriend that all girls dream about, not cheat on.” He was silent. “Harry, tell me.” She pressed. “Well, the one thing I could make out during our screaming match was that she was tired of sleeping in my bed when I so obviously wanted someone else to be in there with me.” Harry knew it was no use trying to keep something from Hermione, she could sniff it out like search dogs. “What? Who?” she asked. “I don’t know.” Harry said quickly, and Hermione knew he was hiding something, but chose not to pursue it. He’d had enough grief for one night. “But I managed to do a nice number on the bed after she was gone. Had to go out and replace it so I’d have somewhere to sleep.” Hermione bit her lower lip. “Harry I am so sorry.” “It’s not your fault, Hermione.” He replied. “I just needed to talk to you….you’re like a voice of reason for me.” She smiled at this. “I’m just the logical one.” “Thank goodness one of us is.” Harry said. “I figured I would feel better after giving you a call.” “Do you?” “Sort of. I’m sure it’ll sink in again tomorrow and I’ll be depressed for a good few weeks.” “Want me to come over?” Hermione offered. “No… you take the rest of your evening and relax.” Harry said. “Working late again tonight?” “Yes. How did you know?” She asked, twisting an escaped lock of hair with her index finger. “I tried ringing you at six, but no answer. Was Cho keeping you late again?” “Well, she asked me to have a report done for her by the end of the week. I figured if I stayed late tonight I would get it finished a few days early.” Hermione replied. “I still sometimes have a hard time believing Cho runs a research company.” Harry said. “I mean, when we knew her at Hogwarts, she was so athletic, I thought for sure she’d be playing professional Quidditch.” “People certainly can change.” Hermione agreed. “She’s good to work for though, very fair, and she doesn’t make horrible demands on us.” Harry and Hermione talked late into the evening, she was surprised when she looked up and saw it was nearly midnight. “Harry I’ve got to go.” “I didn’t realise it was so late!” Harry was apologetic. “I’m sorry for talking your ear off all night.” “It’s all right Harry.” Hermione replied, taking her empty mug into the kitchen. “I’m glad I was able to keep your mind off everything.” “Thanks.” Harry said. “Listen, any chance you’d be willing to join me for dinner tomorrow evening then? I have reservations that I won’t be using otherwise…” “Long as you’re buying, I’m there.” Hermione joked. She could hear his grin. “All right, I’ll come by your place at eight.” “See you then.” Hermione agreed. “Love you.” “Love you too.” Harry said, and hung up. Hermione replaced the cordless phone on the wall and closed her eyes. She felt horrible for Harry, and was still seething at the nerve of that woman. How anyone could treat someone like Harry so callously was beyond her. Hermione was normally a calm, even tempered person but certain situations, especially ones where one of ‘her boys’ were hurt, and she could be quite terrifying to deal with. A loud and sudden clap of thunder made her jump from her thoughts. “I hate storms.” She muttered, turning the kitchen light out and heading down the hall to her bedroom. Placing her wand on the nightstand, she turned off the lamp and pulled the soft flannel covers over her body. Hermione hoped to fall asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow, but the impending storm made it difficult. She wished now she’d insisted on going to Harry’s, then she could have just stayed there on his sofa. After spending a half hour tossing and turning, she tried counting house elves, breathing deeply and steadily, but nothing worked. An hour after that, Hermione finally managed to fall into a light slumber as the thunder and lightning started moving away, leaving only a soft steady rain behind. CRREEEEAAAAKKKK. Hermione jerked back up at the sound, her heart thumping against her ribs. Hugging the sheets tight against her body, she stayed completely still, training her ears keenly. The sound came again, accompanied by a muffled thump that made chills run up and down her spine. ‘*There’s someone in my flat!!!*’ the thought frightened her even more. She moved her arm slowly out from under the covers and grabbed for her wand, but in her panic it slipped and rolled off underneath her bed. “Fuck!” Hermione swore softly. Forcing herself to remain calm, she slipped out of bed and crept quietly across the room, pressing her ear to the door. For a few minutes all she heard was silence, and then a loud thump against her door made her jump back and stifle a scream. As she reached for the knob to lock the door, it began to twist. Hermione leapt forward and held on with all her strength, whoever it was on the other side was strong. After a few minutes of struggling, she managed to turn it and get it locked, making the person on the other side bang on the wooden frame. “Leave me alone!!!” she screamed, backing away from the door, tears springing into her eyes. She dove back down on the side of the bed, reaching underneath blindly for her wand. Her fingers brushed it, but in her state of near hysteria, she wound up rolling it further under the bed and completely out of reach. Another short scream escaped from her throat as her prowler began punching at the door, making the wood split. Her breath came quicker as she scrambled back towards the closet, hoping that the attacker would leave. No such luck. Whoever it was, wasn’t giving up. Hermione pulled the sliding door almost shut, leaving a tiny crack open so she could see. Two hands had successfully broke through the bedroom door; all she could see were black arms, the hands with black gloves on. She whimpered and pushed herself into the corner, pulling some of her clothing across, shielding her from view. “Fucking bitch…” a voice came from the hallway as the person used one of their hands to unlock the door, then step inside. Hermione trembled violently; the person’s head was covered with a baggy black mask that matched the rest of their clothing. ‘Sweet Merlin please let them not find me, please…’ Hermione prayed silently. She had never been more terrified than she was right now. The person stalked around her room, tearing the covers off her bed, swearing under their breath as they searched for her. She stifled a cry as the person over turned the bed, smashing and throwing things off her dresser in frustration. “Please… just leave…” Hermione whispered almost noiselessly. The person growled, anger mounting. “Mine…” they picked up a glass vase and threw it at the closet door. Hermione couldn’t help it, she screamed as it shattered. Within two strides, the person crossed the room and yanked the door open so hard it nearly left the frame. “NO!” Hermione screamed as her arm was pulled so hard it nearly became disjointed. She was dragged across the floor and thrown against the wall roughly. “Who are you? What do you want?” “I want you.” The person said, pointing a wand at her. “Stupefy!” The last thing Hermione remembered was a blinding white light rushing towards her, then darkness. *** *** *** *** *** *** Cracks of weak light filtered through the boarded up windows of the ramshackle house. Hermione groaned, her bed felt unusually uncomfortable and she had a horribly splitting headache. “Unnhhhhh…” she tried to turn on her side and curl up, but she found that she couldn’t. Hermione’s eyes opened wide as she suddenly remembered what had happened. “Oh Merlin…” she muttered, trying not to slip into a total panic. Gently moving her arms, she discovered they were tied to the top of the bed she was lying on; her legs were also bound at the bottom. She dug her fingers into the ropes, and realised that the knots weren’t tied tightly. Hermione managed to loosen the bindings around her wrists, and then pulled her hands free and feverishly worked on her ankles, all the while listening carefully for any footsteps that would mean her attacker returning. Once she managed to free herself completely she immediately ran over to the single window and tried to pull off the boards covering it. Unfortunately, they were nailed on tightly and nothing she could do would make them budge. “Shit!” she swore quietly. Hermione wasn’t the type of person to use profanities often, but the whole situation called for it. She crossed the room to the door, which was locked as well. Closing her eyes, she calmed herself down before she started screaming aloud and attracting unwanted attention. Returning to the bed, she sat down and folded her arms over her chest, there was a cold draft blowing through cracks in the old wood and all she had on was her camisole and flimsy trousers. Hermione’s body was telling her that she had been unconscious, possibly for more than one night. Her stomach was growling pitifully, wanting food she didn’t have. A sudden thought raced through her mind. “I can apparate!” Hope surged through her as she focused on getting out. She performed the usual apparition concentration and when she opened her eyes, she was completely dismayed to find herself still in the room. A few more unsuccessful tries had her admitting that whoever had taken her must have set up apparition wards. Hermione spent the rest of the daylight hours pacing around the room, trying to think of ways to escape or how to notify someone of her whereabouts. As the last rays of sunshine fell, loud scraping and thumping outside the room indicated that her kidnapper was returning. She flew to the bed and had just managed to get her hands in the loops when the door was opened. It was dusky in the room now, so it was hard for her to make out a clear shape of the person. The black mask was firmly in place, along with the black robes and gloves they had been wearing before. “How long have I been here.” She wasn’t asking, but demanding answers. “Two days.” She was surprised how the person answered immediately. Her brain went to work right away, trying to place the voice and/or mannerisms. “Don’t think you’ll figure out who I am.” The person read her mind. “I’ve used a spell to disguise my voice. And don’t try Apparating, I’ve surrounded this room with wards, you won’t be able to go anywhere.” “What do you want with me?” Hermione once again demanded. The figure stood in silence. “You’ll find out in due time what I want with you.” “Tell me now!” Hermione ordered. “I’m not fucking playing games with you!” “You’ll do what I say!!!” the person said in a rage. They reached up into the arm of their robe and brandished something long and shiny. A knife. Hermione gulped back her biting words. It looked like one of those knives she’d seen in Muggle horror movies, although having it so near her was even scarier than anything she’d seen in those films. She pressed her lips together, not taking her eyes off it for a second. The person moved to the side of the bed and Hermione jerked her body away. “Don’t touch me!” SLAP! Her head turned away sharply as a large red mark appeared on her cheek. “Not a word out of you.” The bed springs screeched in complaint as the person lowered themselves next to her. The cold blade of the knife was then pressed against her abdomen, and she whimpered in fright. “I’m going to tell you a story…” the person began. “About a girl who thought she was so perfect, so above everyone.” The knife began travelling its way under her shirt. “Hermione Granger thought so much of herself that she refused to give people the time of day unless they were as smart as her.” A ripping sound filled the room as the knife cut apart her camisole. “One day she was taken right out of her own home.” The person pulled the shirt away from her body as they took the knife down her front again. “If only she knew that if she had only treated a particular person with the attention they deserve, she wouldn’t find herself in such a predicament.” They trailed the knife back over her abdomen as Hermione trembled violently. “I don’t know who you’re talking about.” She whispered. “Please, don’t kill me…” tears leaked from her eyes. “Too late.” The smug voice said. “You’ll die slowly, so I can watch the blood drain from your body.” Hermione tried to shake her head, but found the knife pressed against her neck. They brought their head down close to hers. “I want to watch your eyes as you die, as your life slips away…” “No… please…” she could only protest weakly now. “Please, I won’t tell anyone I swear I won’t.” “Shut up!” the person screamed. “It’s time to go, Hermione….” The blade pressed harder against her skin and a sharp pain accompanied this time. She felt something warm start to trickle down her neck and realised in that instant if she wanted to live, she was going to have to act. “NO!” she screamed, and pulled her arm from one of the loops. She punched the person as hard as she could and they went flying back, the knife skittering across the floor. Not wasting a moment, she yanked her other arm and legs from the bonds and delivered a swift kick between the person’s legs. “AHHHH BITCH!” they cried, hunched over in pain. Hermione took her chance and ran across the room out the door, slamming it behind her, and flew down a narrow flight of stairs. “Front door…” she gasped to herself as she fell down the last few steps. “I’M GOING TO FUCKING RIP YOU APART!” the person literally roared, crashing through the door. Hermione screamed again and ran to the right, entering a tiny kitchen. She saw a door across the room and clawed at the handle with one hand while pressing her fingers to her wound with the other. She managed to get the door open and stumbled outside, the cold air biting at her exposed skin. “Got….to…get…out…of here…” Hermione gasped, streaking across the yard. A tall wire fence surrounded the property; she searched it frantically for some sort of gate. “No way I’m letting you go now!” the person was holding themselves up in the door frame, a wand pointed directly at her. “Stupefy!” Hermione ducked the spell by a hairs width, and continued her near hysterical search. In her panicked mind, one thought suddenly came through clear. “Apparate.” She said to herself as yet another spell came flying her way. The person had said they only put wards on the room she was in. “I’ll go to the Ministry building!” “AVADA KEDAVRA!” the figure screamed, furious to the point of no return. Hermione’s eyes opened wide as the green light sped towards her. “NO!” She screamed as she closed her eyes and concentrated on the white stone steps of the Ministry of Magic. The green light continued to rush forward and Hermione disappeared as it hit the fence behind her. **A/N: Woo! Didn’t think Hermione was going to make it there for a second or two. I’m trying my hand at a bit of violent action so that I’ll be better prepared for some upcoming scenes of Shadows.** **Please leave a review and let me know what you think of this so far! I am not sure yet when I will be updating, I wasn’t even going to write this for awhile due to the large workload I have right now with school.** **Art of Seduction and Shadows will be on their way soon! Once my schedule calms down I’ll have more time to write and get new chapters out to you guys!** 2. Chapter 2 ------------ Chapter 2 WOW!! What a great response to chapter one! I am thrilled to see that most everyone seems to be enjoying this story so far! It’s definitely a bit different than I normally do, because I HATE having Hermione be hurt, she’s my favourite character! A few of you had some good guesses as to who the villain might be, but my lips are sealed! Heehee!!! Harry, Hermione, Ron and Co are all in their early 20’s in this fic…. It’s also going to be a short one, around 4 chapters at the moment! **I apologise for the delay in this chapter. As most of you know, I had a hard drive crash back at the end of March, and until this past Monday, I lost all my data. Luckily I got it all back so updates should be a bit more frequent.** Anyways, again, please don’t forget to R/R, I thrive on reviews!!!! All she could remember for awhile was darkness. Pinpricks of light would occasionally dance across her eyelids only to be swallowed by the blackness again moments later. “….you have to tell her sometime Harry….” Muffled voices trailed over her, she could sometimes make out a word or two. “…been through enough Ron, I’m not going to push this on her….” Another voice, a more familiar one, made her reach out. She tried to talk, but her mouth would not form words. Instead, it opened and closed soundlessly. Neither of the men saw it; they were talking too heatedly over her head. “…end of discussion Ron!” Harry said vehemently. His other best friend sat back in the chair on the opposite side of the bed. “Fine, for now.” Ron replied. Hermione cracked her eyes open a tiny bit, allowing them to get used to the light. Two fuzzy shapes were on either side of her, one with black hair, the colour of midnight, and one with flaming fire red hair. She tried to lick her dry lips, but her mouth felt like it had been stuffed full of cotton. Moving her hand, she touched Harry’s fingers. “Harry?” her voice was hoarse. “Ron?” “Hermione!” Both men leaned forward. Harry took up her hand tightly in his. “What… what am I doing here?” she asked, feeling a little more alert. “What happened?” Harry and Ron looked at each other. “Hermione… you…were kidnapped.” Ron said slowly. “You don’t remember any of it?” Hermione was silent as she turned and looked first at Ron, then Harry. “Could I have some water please?” she asked. “Sure.” Harry released her hand and crossed the room. Hermione lay back as Ron took up her other hand in his. Harry came back to her bedside and handed her a glass. She gulped the water down greedily. “Thanks, Harry.” Her voice was stronger now. He set the glass on the table behind him and curved his fingers through hers. “Do you remember anything?” Harry asked gently. When Ministry officials first alerted him that Hermione had come to the building dishevelled and bloody, they had told him when she woke up to try and get her to recall any and all details about her situation. “Anything at all?” Hermione pulled her hand from Ron’s and pressed it to her throat. A memory flashed through her mind of a silver knife blade up against the same spot her palm was now. “Oh God…” Hermione whimpered as it all rushed back at her. “I…I was in an old house, with boarded up windows, in a locked room. I was tied to a bed….but I managed to pull loose because they didn’t tie the knots properly.” Ron and Harry exchanged glances. “Hermione… do you remember who took you?” Ron asked carefully. She shook her head. “No.” “You didn’t recognise their voice or anything?” Harry asked. Hermione appeared to be thinking hard, which Harry took as a good sign. “No.” she finally answered. “I remember thinking that exact same thing when they first came in the room… but whoever it was must have read my mind, because they told me that their voice was disguised.” “Damn…” Harry swore softly. “I’m sorry.” Hermione replied, looking at him, tears forming in her eyes. “No, Hermione.” Harry instantly looked contrite. “I’m not angry at you.” Ron nodded. “It’s amazing you can talk about it, without falling apart. You’re really strong, Hermione.” Hermione felt a slight tug at her lips. “Thanks.” She smiled through her tears. “You guys are the best.” Her lower lip trembled as her eyes grew watery once more. “Listen, I’m going to go get Neville and Dean.” Ron said. “They wanted us to get them as soon as you woke up.” “All right.” Hermione replied, lying her head back down again. Ron left the room, closing the door softly behind him. “So….” Harry still had her hand in his. “How are you really feeling?” Hermione shrugged. “Violated, for starters. I feel like I’m not safe anymore.” Harry nodded. “I can understand that.” His head bowed low. “I feel like this is my fault.” “What?” Hermione stared at him. “How?” “I should have said yes when you asked if you should come over.” Harry replied. Hermione reached over and covered his hand with her other one. “Harry… even if I had come over, maybe the person would have come after me another night… possibly with a different outcome. I don’t blame you, not in the slightest.” She managed a small smile. “Besides, it sounded like you’ve had a rough enough couple of days.” “You can say that again.” Harry agreed, raking his hand through his coal black hair. He gave her a crooked grin. “I’m glad you’re okay though. When I went to your place that next night and you weren’t there I started to worry, but it wasn’t until yesterday that I started really panicking.” Harry was only half telling the truth- he almost completely freaked out when he couldn’t find the woman he was in love with. The thought that he might not see her again tore at him until he had received word from the Ministry that Hermione was there. “Thanks.” Hermione said. At that moment Ron came back in the room with Neville, Dean and three other Ministry officials that neither Harry nor Hermione recognized. With both her boys by her side, Hermione was able to painstakingly recount nearly every detail of what had happened to her. It brought her to tears a number of times to recall the knife; it had been the worst part of the whole nightmare. “They brought it up against my throat…” Hermione said. “And then they cut me… right here…” she traced a finger along the faint mark that appeared on her otherwise unblemished skin. Harry clenched his fists in rage; he wanted to kill whoever had done this. One glance at Ron told him that he felt the same way. Hermione swallowed a few times, the lump in her throat too large to speak past. “Whoever it was, left the knots tied too loose, and I was able to work myself free.” She began again. “I tried to apparate out, and I couldn’t, they placed wards around the room. It was only when they came at me with the knife I knew I would have to do something…” A tear slipped down her face again and she brushed it away. “I ran outside and then apparated here.” Neville leaned forward. “Hermione, one more thing. Do you know of anyone who would want to do this?” Hermione swallowed again and Harry reached over and grasped her hand. “Um… well… I don’t know if she’d go this far but Millicent Bulstrode and I don’t get along at all. I don’t know if she hates me that much though.” She thought some more. “Viktor Krum and I had some words that same evening too….” “Krum?” Ron asked, his blue eyes darkening. It was no secret that there was no love lost between he and Krum; they often clashed on the Quidditch field. “What was that asshole doing with you?” “He’s been waiting for me outside work nearly every day the past few weeks.” Hermione replied. “I finally lost my temper with him the other day.” Neville nodded at Dean. “We’ll find out where he was that night. Ask about Bulstrode too.” He said. Dean and one of the other Ministry officials scribbled the names down on their parchments. “Is there anything else?” Hermione asked, suddenly feeling quite weak. “This… it’s just really hard to talk about.” “No, that’s enough for now, we may need to ask you things periodically until it’s all over, but nothing like today.” Neville leaned forward. “It was good of you to take us through all that.” Hermione nodded wordlessly as they all stood up. Images swirled through her head like a cyclone, making her knees feel like melted butter. Darkness rushed in from all sides as she fell backwards. *** *** *** *** *** Hermione found herself fighting against gravity as her eyelids did not seem to want to open. “Mmmphhh…” she mumbled and her hand was instantly seized by someone sitting at the side of her bed. “No!” Hermione tried to pull away. “No! Leave me alone!” “Hermione!” a voice was bringing her into the light. “Hermione it’s me!” “Ron?” she finally opened her eyes and saw the concerned face of her red haired best friend. “Oh God, I’m sorry…” “It’s all right.” Ron said soothingly as he pulled her into a gentle hug. “I thought you… I mean I thought…” Hermione couldn’t finish her sentence. “I’m so sorry Ron.” “It’s all right, Hermione.” Ron said again as she sat back and wiped at her eyes. “Do you need anything?” “No… no I’m all right.” She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down. “What am I doing here in Harry’s room?” Hermione asked, looking around. “Err…” Ron bit his lower lip. “Well… after you got done talking to Neville, you passed out. Harry caught you and brought you back to your place, but…” His voice trailed off. “But what, Ron?” Hermione asked. “It was messed up…” he confessed, eyeing her worriedly. “Someone trashed your entire flat. Harry told me to bring you on to his place while he stayed and fixed things up for you.” “How… how bad was it?” Hermione’s voice wavered slightly. Ron sighed. “Pretty bad, from what I could see.” He reached forward and took her hand. “But Harry will fix it for you, he’d do anything for you.” “Yeah, I know.” Hermione managed a small smile. “I’m glad you stayed with me.” Ron grinned. “Well I couldn’t have my second favourite girl staying all alone, now could I?” “Second favourite?” Hermione asked, her eyebrows raised. “No offence Herms… but Nicole has taken over your number-one-female-in-Ron’s-life spot.” He was referring to his girlfriend of two and a half years, who was manager of his Quidditch team. “Right, right.” Hermione replied, her brown eyes sparking back to life. “How easily I can be replaced…” they both laughed and Ron gave her a tighter hug. “Now THAT’S the Hermione I know.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek. “How long was I out for?” she asked, settling back on the pillows. “A good few hours.” Ron replied. “Harry’s really concerned about you though,” “He’s sweet to care about me like that, when he’s got enough of his own problems.” “Yeah, I heard about Liz.” The corner of Ron’s mouth turned down. “Has he said anything to you about it?” “He called me that night, and we were supposed to get together for dinner the evening after.” Hermione replied. “Did he say anything else?” Ron leaned forward and Hermione looked at him curiously. “No… why?” “I’m back!” Harry was standing in the doorway. Hermione and Ron both looked up, Ron with a guilty look in his eyes. “Can I talk to you a moment?” Harry asked his male best friend. Ron swallowed audibly but he gave Hermione a reassuring glance as he went in the hallway. Harry shut the door behind them and then crossed his arms over his chest, glaring menacingly. “I didn’t say anything to her!” Ron said before Harry could even utter a word. “But you were going to.” Harry countered. “I told you, this has nothing to do with you, just leave it be! I’m not going to trouble her with this right now.” “Fine.” Ron held his hands up in surrender. “But you should tell her Harry. I don’t think she’d be scared off by it.” “Just leave it be.” Harry spoke each word slowly. “What’s going on?” Hermione had come to the door. “Did something else happen?” Harry and Ron both turned to look at her and she was shocked by the bright, angry look in Harry’s eyes. But a moment later, it had disappeared and was the same emerald colour they had always been. “How are you feeling?” Harry immediately moved away from Ron and towards her. “I’m doing all right.” She answered. “What… did…. How was my flat?” “I managed to fix most of your things.” Harry said. “Do you want to go back yet, or rest up for awhile longer?” “I should go back… I’ll need to get on my feet sooner or later.” Hermione said. Harry nodded at Ron and they all went outside and apparated to her flat. With a trembling hand, Hermione opened the door and stepped inside, trying not to let her fear overwhelm her. Everywhere she looked, there seemed to be evidence of an intruder. Even her normally comfortable and cheery den looked cold and uninviting. “Are you all right?” Harry asked her quietly as Ron moved further into the place. “Yes.” Hermione answered, leaning up against him. “No… I don’t know… I just don’t feel like it’s my place anymore.” She felt his arm go around her waist and was grateful for the support. “It’s all right.” He leaned in and spoke softly in her ear. Hermione felt a warm shiver go through her body as his breath brushed her skin. “Ron and I aren’t going to let anything happen to you.” She simply nodded and moved forward, heading automatically towards the bedroom. Opening the door, she blew out a breath she didn’t even realise she had been holding. Harry followed her in, staying near the door as she slowly ventured in, trying not to let panic overcome her as the memories of that night came back to her. *“Fucking bitch…” a voice came from the hallway as the person used one of their hands to unlock the door, then step inside. Hermione trembled violently; the person’s head was covered with a baggy black mask that matched the rest of their clothing.* “Oh no…” Hermione swayed and Harry leapt forward to catch her. “I can’t stay here Harry, I can’t stay….” “Shhhh…” Harry pulled her body up against his, his arms winding securely around her. “Hermione it’s all right,” his hand stroked her back soothingly through her hair. “You can come stay with me however long you need to.” “Really?” Hermione asked, wiping a few tears away. “No, Harry I can’t impose on you like that.” “I insist.” He brushed a stray lock of hair away from her face and for a moment she was drowning in his emerald eyes. He cleared his throat awkwardly and the moment passed. “Why don’t you get what you need together and we can go back to my flat.” “All right.” Hermione took a deep breath. “Will you…. Will you stay in here though? While I pack?” “Sure.” Harry agreed, unable to deny her anything. “Want some help?” Hermione looked up and managed a tiny smile. “No, I just… didn’t want to be alone.” “Understandable.” Harry replied, leaning against the doorframe. His eyes followed her around the room as she quickly threw clothes and toiletries in a bag she had pulled from underneath her bed. He took the bag from her as she finished and they went back into the hallway. “What’s going on?” Ron asked, coming out of the kitchen. “I…” Hermione looked at Harry, who was already glancing back at Ron. “I’m going to stay with Harry for awhile.” She replied. “I just… don’t want to stay alone.” “That’s a good idea.” Ron said before Harry could respond. They all stood in the hallway a moment and then Harry shifted Hermione’s bag to his other hand. “Well, let’s get out of here then.” He said. The three of them went back out of her flat and Hermione locked the door while Harry cast a spell so that no one could get in. “Did you find your wand, Hermione?” Ron asked as Harry unlocked the door to his flat and ushered them inside. “Yes,” Hermione answered as Harry disappeared down the hall to deposit her bag in his guest room. “It was under my bed, where it rolled when I was trying to grab it that night.” She put her hand to her forehead and instantly Harry was back down the hall and he and Ron were by her side. “I’m all right you two. Just a bit dizzy is all. I probably just need something to eat.” “I’ll make you some dinner.” Harry replied. “Ron, are you staying?” “Wish I could.” Ron said. “But I had to miss a game to be here and need to get back for practice.” Ron was Keeper on the Chudley Cannons; he had improved on his game vastly since his days at Hogwarts. “Ron I’m sorry.” Hermione gasped. “You didn’t have to miss a game for me!” “Silly.” Ron stepped forward and gave her a hug. “I’d miss the World Cup if you were gone then too.” “Thanks, Ron.” Hermione felt her eyes grow teary again. He pulled back and shook Harry’s hand while giving him a look. Harry chose to ignore it. “Thanks for coming to help, Ron.” He said gratefully. “I appreciate it.” “Anytime.” Ron gave Hermione another quick hug. “I’ll walk you out.” Harry said. “Hermione, I’ll be right back.” “Sure.” Hermione said, sitting down at his kitchen table. When Harry had moved into his flat, he had placed apparition wards all around it so that no one could get in or out besides the front door. As he opened it for Ron, he took a quick look up and down the street. “What are you looking for?” Ron asked as he stepped outside. “Just looking…” Harry had been warned by Neville to watch his surroundings when Hermione was around, in case her kidnapper tried anything again. “At least I know you’ll keep a good eye on her.” Ron said. “And think about telling her.” “Ron,” Harry began, his voice a low warning tone. “Just think about it Harry.” Ron said. “If you ask me, the two of you have skirted around one another long enough.” He apparated away before Harry could respond. “Bloody bastard…” Harry grumbled as he went back inside after putting up his wards and locking his door. “What’s wrong?” Hermione asked softly from where she still sat. “Nothing,” Harry answered quickly. Ron was crazy. He had absolutely no proof that Hermione felt the same way about him. “What would you like for dinner?” “Oh,” Hermione thought for a moment. “Anything’s fine, really.” “How about stir fry?” Harry’s kitchen was equipped like it was a Muggle kitchen; he found that all those years of cooking for the Dursleys was paying off as he made his own meals now. “That sounds good.” Hermione said. “Do you need any help?” “Nope,” Harry turned and grinned at her. “You just sit there, don’t lift a finger.” “You’re spoiling me, Harry.” Hermione smiled back at him. “You deserve it.” Harry dug through his cabinets for a cutting board. He set it on the counter and then began to pull out various vegetables to chop up. “At least let me set the table, then.” Hermione said. “If you insist.” Harry replied as he set the freshly washed vegetables out on the counter. Hermione smiled again and moved to the drawer where she knew Harry kept his utensils. She carefully laid out the silverware, then plates and glasses. “Anything else?” she asked, turning around. The smile immediately faded from her face. Harry was pulling a large chopping knife from another drawer. He ran it across what looked like a stone a few times to sharpen it up. It was the exact same knife that the kidnapper had used. Hermione gulped and sat down hard in the chair, trying not to openly tremble. *‘What do I do?’* she wondered. Would Harry really do that to her? Harry, her best friend for over 10 years…. The knife made a crunching sound as he began to use it on the vegetables laid out on the counter. *“But I managed to do a nice number on the bed after she was gone.”* Harry’s voice echoed through her head. Hermione knew that Harry’s temper, when he allowed it to show, could be quite a horrifying thing. Harry tossed all the vegetables and meat into the wok and within a few minutes had the meal ready in a serving dish. “Still hungry?” he turned around. Hermione was sitting with her arms wrapped around herself. “Are you cold?” he asked, bringing the dish over to the table. “What?” Hermione jumped and looked up at him. “Oh… no… I just… was lost in thought.” She didn’t meet his eyes. Harry knew something was wrong. “Oh,” was all he said. He sat down and served both of them and they began to eat in silence. “How is it?” he asked after a few minutes. Hermione jumped again. “What? Oh, it’s fine, really delicious.” She said. “What’s wrong?” Harry asked. “I can tell something is bothering you.” Hermione was afraid to look up at him, she knew if she looked at his eyes she would break down, and he would be able to what she had been thinking. *‘What **am** I thinking???’* Hermione was suddenly furious with herself. *‘How could I think that Harry would do this?’* “Hermione…” he had set down his fork and reached across the table to cover her hand with his. “Tell me, please… what’s wrong? Did I do something to upset you?” She couldn’t help it; Hermione raised her head and as soon as her tired brown eyes met his concerned green ones, she burst into tears. “Oh Harry!” she sobbed, “I’m sorry!” Hermione buried her face in her hands. “Hermione…” Harry got up and moved into the chair next to her, taking her quickly into his arms. “Shhhh….just calm down….” He stroked her hair in a soothing manner much like he had earlier that day. “What’s wrong, you can tell me, you know that right?” She nodded, then pulled away to look up at him. “I just… I told you how the kidnapper had the knife…” her gaze wandered over to the counter where the chopping knife still laid. “It looked just like that one… and… my imagination just started to go out of control…” Hermione couldn’t finish the rest of her sentence. “You… you thought I had something to do with that?” Harry’s voice shook slightly in hurt. “No… not… not really,” Hermione wiped away at her tears. “It’s just… it made me think of what happened all over again.” Her fingers pressed at the spot on her neck where the knife had been held. “I’m sorry, Harry I don’t think you did anything I **know** you wouldn’t do anything like that!” Harry looked at her and felt something in his stomach clench. “It’s all right, Hermione.” He said quietly. One look at her could tell she barely even knew what she was saying, and because of that he felt the hurt melt away. “Come here.” He pulled her back into his embrace and this time he felt her arms wind around his waist. “I’m not mad.” “Really?” Her voice was muffled because her face was pressed against his chest. She suddenly felt his lips in her hair and his hands moving softly over her backside. It was suddenly the only place she wanted to be. A figure stood outside, across the small backyard behind Harry’s flat. Raising their fist, they cracked the knuckles on each hand before dropping them back to their sides. “It’s not over yet, Hermione.” A sinister smile spread across their face. “It’s pretty fucking far from over.” **A/N: I hope you all liked this chapter… I’ll try and have the next one posted soon… but first I’m going to work on a new chapter of Shadows –no, I haven’t forgotten about that story – and I also have some Caitlyn/Blue fluff headed your way as well. R/R!** 3. Chapter Three ---------------- A/N: Thank you EVERYONE for all your reviews, they all mean so much to me, and I’m happy to see that you all like this story! There’s only one chapter left, to tie up loose ends and such ;) Special thanks to: Nicole, the Queen of Ron for her quick beta skills and help during my block while trying to finish this up. And a note: Several people seemed confused about the kidnapper— there is only one kidnapper… I used they/their so that the person would remain genderless until you guys find out who it is… my grammatical skills are not up to par, and I apologize for the confusion. Anyways, I’ll let you all read now :) Don’t forget to review when you’re done! :D “And so I’ll come and pick you up for lunch if you like, then again this evening.” Harry was saying as they walked quickly down the street. “You don’t have to do all this, Harry.” Hermione said with a slight smile. “Don’t change your plans for me.” “Too late.” Harry replied as they entered the building where Cho’s company was located. He escorted her into the lift and they began to rise to the top floor. “I’m nervous.” Hermione said after a few moments of silence. “What for?” Harry asked softly. “Just…I wonder what everyone thinks.” Hermione said. “If they believe me or not.” “Of course they all do.” Harry answered. “Hermione, no one blames you for what happened okay? We blame the person who did this.” Hermione sighed and leaned forward to hug him. “You’re the best Harry. I don’t know what I would do without you right now.” Harry smiled into her hair and closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her light perfume. He heard a ding and pulled back as the doors to the lift opened into the lobby of Cho’s office. “Hermione!” a general cry rose as the two of them stepped out of the lift. “Hello, hi…” Hermione said, her eyes growing wide. She unconsciously moved closer to Harry and somehow their hands found one another. Faces rushed at her and she tried to smile. “Hermione we were so worried when we heard about you.” “Hermione did they catch the person yet?” “How are you holding up, Hermione?” Cho Chang stepped out of her office. “Hello Harry.” “Hi Cho.” He answered, still holding onto Hermione’s hand. He saw Cho’s eyes travel briefly to it and then back up to smile at the two of them. “I’m all right.” Hermione brushed a strand of hair off her face. “Come on.” Cho motioned towards the hallway where Hermione’s office was. “Everyone, back to work!” she ordered. Harry and Hermione followed Cho down the hall, and she shut the door behind them. “Cho, I can’t stay I’m afraid.” Harry had not sat down next to Hermione. “Do you have to go so soon?” Hermione asked immediately. The thought of Harry leaving frightened her, he was like a security blanket. “I’m sorry, Hermione.” Harry looked apologetic. “But I’ll be back to pick you up this evening, I promise.” He leaned down and kissed her quickly on the cheek. “Bye Cho, it was nice seeing you again.” “You too Harry.” Her eyes followed Harry out the door and then settled back on Hermione. “I was worried when I heard about you.” “Thanks, Cho.” Hermione replied. “I just wanted you to know, if you needed help with anything, just know that you can come talk to me.” Cho sat down next to Hermione, her eyes warm. “You’re a good employee, and I also think of you as a friend.” “I appreciate it.” Hermione replied, smiling back at her. “I’d better get to work though, I want to get back into things and just….forget about what happened.” “I understand.” Cho stood back up and went to the door, then turned to look at her. “You’re lucky to have Harry.” “What do you mean?” Hermione had stood up as well and was placing her bag on her desk, opening it to retrieve some papers. Cho smiled. “You’re lucky to have a friend like him who would care that much about you to walk you to and from work, and offer to let you stay with him.” “Yes, I am.” Hermione replied, gazing out the window for a moment as if she could see Harry standing right there. “He’s good to me.” The two women were silent for a moment. “Well,” Cho finally said. “I’ll let you get back to it. You can come by my office should you need anything.” “Thanks, Cho.” Hermione smiled again and sat down. She looked at her desk for a few long minutes, trying to compose her thoughts. She was about to get up and grab some books from her shelves when a figure appeared in her doorway. “Hermione!” Ernie Macmillan rushed into the room and pulled her into a hug. “Hermione I’m so glad you’re okay!” “Hi Ernie,” Hermione managed. “Thanks.” “Everyone was so worried about you,” Ernie pulled back and looked her up and down. “Were you hurt?” “No, no not really.” Hermione replied. “I was lucky enough to escape before….before anything like that could happen.” “Good.” Ernie replied, straightening out his dark blue work robes. “Listen, you may find some notes and work to do that we piled on your desk before we realised you were… missing… but you don’t have to do any of it if you don’t want to.” “Oh no, I’ll be happy to.” Hermione said, a slight smile crossing her face. “Anything you want to pass my way, please do.” “All right,” Ernie grinned then. “Well, if you want to take a break, or do lunch later… just stop by my office.” “Thanks, Ernie.” Hermione smiled fully up at him. “You’re a good friend.” Ernie grinned and then left her alone once more. Hermione looked down and began shuffling through the stack that he had mentioned. Despite the attack on her, she began to feel very lucky to be surrounded by friends who cared about her. Meanwhile, Harry had arrived at the Ministry of Magic and was heading down the corridor to Neville’s office. “Hi Harry.” Neville didn’t look up as he entered the room. “No luck yet on Krum.” Harry froze for a moment and then dropped his cloak in a chair. “Damn it.” “We picked up Pansy Parkinson though.” Neville finally looked up and grinned. “I’ll be damned if she didn’t put up a fight though.” “I’ll bet she did.” Harry returned the smirk. “Who got her?” “Dean.” Neville replied, shuffling his papers and tossing them in a drawer. “Shall we? I’ve been looking forward to this all morning.” Harry laughed as they left the office. Neville had really changed from his early Hogwarts days, by their 5th year he had become more outspoken and had developed quite a backbone for himself as well. He had also proved to be an extremely loyal and trustworthy friend, and Harry felt he was lucky to know Neville. “He’s been holding her in here for about an hour.” Neville was saying as they strode down the hallway. “Can’t you hear her shrieking?” Harry cocked his head and sure enough, he could hear a shrill voice screaming at the top of her lungs. “Let me the fuck out of here!” Those were the words that greeted Neville and Harry as they opened the door. Pansy Parkinson turned her pug nosed face to them and her eyes widened. “What is going on here? What right do you have to bring me in here? You just wait until I tell someone about this; you’ll ALL be in trouble!” “Knock it off, Parkinson.” Neville replied, shutting the door behind them. “We just have a few questions to ask you.” “You had better make it fast!” Pansy huffed. “I’m supposed to be at work.” “Relax.” Harry spoke up. “Cho knows where you are and why you’re here.” Pansy nearly flew up and out of her seat. “I DON’T EVEN BLOODY KNOW WHY I’M HERE!” “You’re here because you were one of the last people to see Hermione Granger the night she was kidnapped.” Dean said flatly. “What?” Pansy looked shocked. “I had nothing to do with that!” her face grew red in anger. “You were seen going back into the building and then Hermione said she talked to you before she left.” Harry said tightly. “Why were you there?” “For one thing, Potter, I WORK there, I have every right to be at the office.” Pansy replied. “For another thing, I forgot something and had to go back, otherwise I wouldn’t have even seen that bitch.” “Watch what you say about her, Pansy,” Harry’s eyes were blazing. “You could be in enough trouble already.” “Harry.” Neville placed a restraining hand on his arm. “Pansy, why did you go back that evening?” “I forgot something in my desk.” Pansy spat. “What was it?” Neville asked patiently. “A bloody nail file!” Pansy nearly started shrieking again. “You went back for a nail file?” Dean asked disbelievingly. “Yes, Thomas, I did.” Pansy snapped. “Do you have a problem with that?” “Where did you go afterwards?” Harry asked. “Did you follow her home, or arrange for someone else to do it?” “I TOLD you Potter, I had NOTHING to do with her situation!” Pansy screamed. “I have better things to do with my time.” “Which are?” Neville asked after giving Harry another warning glance. “I don’t have to tell you a damn thing.” Pansy lifted her nose in the air and turned away. “You do if you want to stay out of trouble.” Dean said, his arms crossed over his chest. Pansy glared defiantly at the three men for a moment. “Fine.” She relented. “Iwaswthcrbeadgyl.” She muttered. “What?” Harry nearly barked. “I SAID,” Pansy glared back at him. “I WAS WITH CRABBE AND GOYLE!” Harry felt his jaw go slack, and one glance at Neville and Dean told him that they were as shocked as he was. “You were with both Crabbe and Goyle?” “Yes, I was with both Crabbe and Goyle.” Pansy said, her tone mocking. “At… the same time?” Harry couldn’t help asking. Pansy smirked. “Why do you want to know? I didn’t think you went for that sort of thing, Potter.” Harry turned away, disgusted. “You make me sick, Parkinson.” Neville grabbed Harry by the elbow. “Perhaps you should wait outside.” He said, steering him towards the door. “I don’t think we’ll get anything out of her,” Neville paused at his words and made a face. “…while you’re in here.” Harry glared back at Pansy. “Fine, I’ll be right outside.” He left the room and stood leaning against the wall in the corridor, his arms crossed over his chest. After about five minutes, the door opened and Pansy came flouncing out, sending him a death glare as she pushed past him. “What’s going on?” Harry strode back into the room. “Where is she going?” “She’s clear.” Neville replied, his tone slightly dejected. “She was with… Crabbe and Goyle at the Leaky Cauldron for part of the night… later….” “I get it.” Harry interrupted, not wanting to know any more. “Dammit!” “I know.” Dean replied. “We’re still waiting on Krum though; we haven’t been able to track him down.” “What’s the problem?” Harry asked. “Travelling Quidditch players aren’t the easiest people to be in contact with.” Neville said. “Good point.” Harry sat down. “Perhaps I can owl Ron and have him send me a schedule, it’s bound to have Bulgaria on there.” “That would help a lot.” Dean answered as the three men left the room. Harry looked at his watch. “I’ll go do that now, and then I’m going over to see if Hermione wants me to take her to lunch.” Harry waved and headed off down to the Owlery to send Ron a note. After he had sent a tawny one on its way, he left the Ministry building and headed back to Diagon Alley where Cho’s company was located. Hermione was deeply absorbed in her work when a knock at her door startled her. “Harry!” a smile stretched across her face. “Hey,” Harry came in her office. “How are you?” “I’m good,” Hermione set down her papers. “Everyone was nice enough to pile a stack of things on my desk.” They both laughed. “Good.” Harry sat down in the chair next to the door. “Would you like to go grab some lunch with me?” “You’re spoiling me,” Hermione said. “Harry, you don’t have to keep doing this, it must be such a bother.” “Nonsense.” Harry replied. “I came because I enjoy spending time with you and I want to make sure you stay safe.” Hermione looked at him, a small smile growing. He was so sweet to care about her, and she had to admit, it was nice having someone with her all the time. “All right then,” she said. “But I insist you let me pay.” Harry heaved a mock sigh as she stood up and grabbed her cloak. “I suppose,” he said, his mouth twitching. “Good.” Hermione said, smiling as he helped her settle the cloak on her shoulders. She took his arm and they left the office after Hermione told Cho where she was going. “So where are you taking me?” Harry teased as they left the building, the overcast day making it cool outside. “I don’t know – wherever you want…” Hermione’s voice trailed off, the smile disappearing from her face. “What’s wrong?” Harry asked, noticing her change in demeanour. “I… I don’t know… I just suddenly felt like I was being watched.” Hermione pulled her hand from Harry’s arm and hugged herself. His eyes immediately began scanning the street, looking for anyone suspicious. “I don’t… I don’t see anyone,” he said after a few moments. He looked back at Hermione and felt something tug at his heart; there were tears in her large brown eyes and her lower lip was trembling. “I can’t explain it…” she shivered, trying not to let the tears fall. “Come on.” Harry put his arm around her and guided down the street. “Let’s just go back home, all right? I’ll make you something there.” “Okay,” Hermione wiped her eyes, too scared to argue. The feeling lingered even after they had arrived back at the flat and he was making her some tea. “Feeling better?” he asked, setting the mug in front of her. “A little,” Hermione answered as fresh tears came to her eyes. “I feel like such a bloody mess. There probably wasn’t even anyone on the street just now; I was probably just imagining things. I don’t know how you can put up with me.” “Hermione,” Harry sat down in the chair next to her. “I don’t think you’re a mess. You’ve been through an awful lot over this past week, and your mind is just trying to deal with it. If you felt someone watching you on the street…” his voice trailed off for a moment. “Then there probably was. And that’s why I’m here; to make sure nothing happens to you again.” “Thank you Harry,” Hermione’s voice was muffled because she had turned and thrown her arms around him. She could feel his hands travel up his back and settle in her hair, stroking the strands gently and soothingly. “So… so did you have any luck finding Viktor? What about Pansy, I noticed she wasn’t in the office today,” she said a little while later after calming down. “Well,” Harry began, noting that she didn’t pull out of his embrace. “We haven’t tracked Viktor down yet, but I owled Ron to get a Quidditch schedule so that we can find him. And Pansy… well… unfortunately she had an alibi for that night, so it’s not her.” “I know she hates me but I didn’t think she was capable of doing this.” Hermione said, taking a deep breath. ‘*When did Harry begin to smell so good?’* she pondered, and immediately squelched the thought into the back of her mind. *‘This is not the time to be thinking of things like that!’* she told herself sternly. “Are you all right now?” Harry asked a few minutes later, regretfully breaking away from her. He brushed away at a few stray tears still on her face as she nodded. “I think so,” she answered, looking up at him. Their eyes met and locked for a few moments, her breath becoming shallow, silent gasps at the intensity of his gaze. Hermione could swear he was leaning forward, and found herself tilting her head back in expectation. Harry felt his head spin as he looked down at her half closed eyes, her face up as if she *wanted* him to kiss her. He was about to go and do what he had been wanting for a long time now when he suddenly came to his senses. She didn’t want to kiss him; he knew Hermione had no feelings of the romantic sort for him. Why would he go and try to spoil that? “I should make you something to eat.” Harry said as he pulled himself away. “What?” Hermione was startled as he pulled away. “Oh… uh… sure…” she stammered, looking the other way as her face burned brightly. “I just need to go use the loo…” She splashed clear water on her face and stared at herself in the mirror. “What were you about to do in there?” she asked her reflection. “You don’t have any feelings for Harry like that and what would make you think that he’s interested in you romantically?” Hermione sighed and rested her face against the cool mirror. “So then why do I feel so disappointed that he didn’t kiss me?” She sat down on the toilet and buried her face in her hands. “Did I want him to?” “Hermione?” his voice came from the doorway. “Are you all right?” “I’m fine.” She forced a smile onto her face. “Just tired, you know.” “I made you a sandwich if you’re still hungry.” Harry gestured back at his kitchen. “I’ll take you back to work again afterwards if you like as well.” His green eyes looked repentant and Hermione nearly flung herself in his arms again. “Thank you.” She answered, and they were staring at each other again. “Harry…look… I’m sorry about before, you know, in the kitchen.” She twisted a lock of hair around her index finger. “It’s all right.” He answered quickly. “Just one of those moments.” “Right.” She answered just as quickly. They went back into the kitchen and ate their lunch in relative silence. *** One Week Later*** Hermione sat munching on some toast while reading the Daily Prophet. She looked up and smiled as Harry shuffled into the kitchen, his hair even more mussed than usual. He headed straight for the coffee and poured himself a cup. “Morning,” he mumbled. “Sorry I didn’t get in until late last night.” He sat down at the table. “I didn’t mean for you to worry.” Hermione smiled. “It’s all right.” She answered. He grinned back and her heart flopped over a few times. Over the past week since their ‘almost kiss’ Hermione had found herself thinking of her best friend more often than not. He hadn’t mentioned it since it happened, and everything had gone back to the way it had been before… except now she had all the feelings and didn’t know what to do about them. “I’ve got good news for you,” Harry’s eyes were now twinkling. “Oh?” Hermione set the paper down. “What’s that?” Harry leaned forward, and Hermione caught her breath. “We got Krum.” Hermione gasped, a smile spreading across her face. “Really?” Harry sat back, a satisfied smile on his face. “Yes, really, and finally!” he said. “The Ministry caught up to him in Ireland.” “That’s wonderful,” Hermione said, a feeling of relief spreading over her. When Harry had told her that they were having trouble tracking down Viktor Krum, it had caused her to grow increasingly fearful that she would see him lurking down alleyways or in the shadows, waiting to jump out at her. “He’s at the Ministry, I just got the owl,” Harry was saying. “They’re going to interrogate him today, so I’m assuming by the end of the day that we’ll have all the evidence we need.” “Good,” Hermione replied. He reached across the table and squeezed her hand while he drained the rest of his coffee. “I’ve got to get ready.” “Me too.” Hermione took his mug and placed both of them in the sink. They went down the hallway and she disappeared into the guest room while he ducked into the loo. As he scrubbed shampoo into his hair, he thought about how if everything turned out as planned, Viktor would be convicted later that day, and then… “Hermione will be leaving,” he said aloud. It had been wonderful having her around that past week, especially after his huge break up with Liz. She had been his comfort source in everything, and he had jumped at the chance to reciprocate. The only unfortunate thing was that he hadn’t been able to bring himself to confess his feelings for her. “Perhaps it just wasn’t meant to be.” Harry shut the water off and wrapped a towel around his waist, using another one to dry off his hair. In the other bathroom, Hermione was having similar thoughts as she used her wand to dry her long locks. “I don’t want to leave,” she said softly to herself. “It’s been so nice being here with Harry.” And that was without thinking about her newfound feelings for her green eyed best friend. She wrapped the towel more firmly around herself and left the guest bathroom, only to run into Harry in the hallway. He was also only clad in a towel. “Erm…” Hermione couldn’t for the life of her force her brain to work. “I uh…” she couldn’t take her eyes off his waist where his towel was starting to slip. “Yeah.” Harry replied, unable to stop looking at the display of her creamy coloured flesh that was showing. “Me either.” He hitched the towel up and ran his other hand through his hair, making it spike. “I um,” Hermione’s eyes grew wider as his towel slipped again. “Towel… dressed… yes!” She turned, her face flaming, and sped down the hallway into the guest room. Harry watched her go; half wishing her towel would fall and was only half relieved when the door shut behind her. He banged his forehead against the wall, letting the dull thud echo. Hermione was still thinking of the incident many hours later as she tried to concentrate on her work. Her life had become so complicated, so confusing, that she couldn’t even do her job anymore. “What the bloody hell is wrong with me?” Hermione rubbed at her eyes. “Getting all sappy over a guy.” “Are you all right, Hermione?” Ernie Macmillan was passing by her office. “What?” Hermione jumped. “Oh, yes, Ernie I’m fine. Just a bit tired is all.” Ernie nodded sympathetically. “Any news on Viktor?” “Actually, yes, Harry found out this morning that they’re holding him over at the Ministry.” Hermione replied, a small smile quirking at her lips. “I really hope this will all be resolved.” “So do I.” Ernie replied. Cho suddenly appeared at his elbow. “Ernie, back to work.” She said and Ernie jumped and mock saluted her. “Yes ma’am.” He said in a smart aleck tone that made Hermione laugh. He grinned back at her and Cho gave him a dirty look. He skipped off down the hall and then she turned and rolled her eyes at Hermione. “He’s such a goof.” Cho said. “I heard they caught Krum finally.” “Yes,” Hermione was pleased. “It’ll be nice to walk down the street now and not feel like I’ve got someone watching me.” “I suppose it would, yes.” Cho said with a slight smile on her face. “You’re leaving Harry’s place?” “Most likely,” Hermione replied, looking down at her papers so that Cho wouldn’t see the sudden disappointed look flood her face. She didn’t want to leave the safe comfort of Harry’s flat; in the short time she’d been there it was more like home than her own place could ever be. Harry stood against the wall with his arms crossed. He was glaring at Viktor Krum who was sitting at the table in the centre of the room with the surliest expression Harry had ever seen him wear. “I vos not stalking Hermy-own-ninny,” Viktor was glaring at Neville. “Then why don’t you tell us where you were that night?” Neville shot back, unflinching. “I don’t haff to tell you anything.” Viktor replied. “But I asked Hermy-own-ninny for dinner and then I did not see her.” Harry narrowed his eyes. “You have been stalking her for awhile now, Krum.” His voice was tight. “And now you don’t have an alibi for where you were the night she was taken. That sounds awfully fishy to me.” He couldn’t believe that he had once been intimidated by this man; it seemed like a lifetime ago. “I told you, I don’t haff to say anything.” Viktor was being stubborn. “We found you in her FLAT!” Neville suddenly roared. “That means you’re obviously able to break down anti apparition and other security spells.” “I vos waiting for Hermy-own-ninny to come back from work so that we could talk,” Viktor replied. Harry felt his jaw drop. “He was waiting in her flat?” he asked Neville. “We weren’t going to tell you that until later, Harry,” Neville replied in a low voice. “Just keep it down; we don’t need another outburst like with Pansy, all right?” Harry nodded, but inside he was seething. He wanted to rip off Krum’s head and feed it to a hippogriff, he was so angry. In Hermione’s home, waiting for her to get back from work, waiting to try his hand once more at killing her. “I want you to tell me where you were the night she disappeared.” Neville said in a cold, firm voice. “Either that or….” Viktor crossed his arms and simply glared back. “I… am… not… talking…” An hour later, Neville, Dean and Harry had still been unable to get anything out of him. They weren’t allowed to keep him contained, but had released him to his Quidditch team manager until he was to be put on trial, and was warned to stay in or near Diagon Alley. Harry felt considerably lighter as he practically skipped out of the Ministry and towards his flat. He had owled Hermione around six and asked her to have Ernie or Cho escort her back to his place so that he could stay and help Neville. “Hermione?” he called as he let himself into his flat. “Are you home yet?” “I’m in the kitchen!” he heard her voice. Harry rushed into the room and grabbed her around the waist, spinning her into a wide circle. “We’ve got him!” he grinned, still holding her tightly around the waist. He would tell her later about Krum being caught in her flat. Hermione gasped. “Really?” She flung her arms back around his neck. “Oh that’s wonderful, Harry!” On impulse she turned her face and kissed him on the cheek, immediately blushing afterwards. “So anyways,” Harry said, also turning red. “I thought we could go out tonight and celebrate somewhere.” “Sure!” Hermione agreed instantly. “Great!” Harry grinned at her again with his lopsided smile that now never failed to make her heart thump faster. “I know of a place, it’s down right off Diagon Alley. I haven’t been there yet but I’ve heard lots of good things about it.” “What’s it called?” Hermione asked, realising that his arms were still circled firmly around her waist. “The Succubus Stop.” Harry replied. “I think it’s better than the name.” he said and Hermione laughed. “I certainly hope so. What should I wear?” “Not casual, I hear it’s a nice place.” Harry replied. “All right,” Hermione agreed, a warm tingle spreading over her body. “I’ll be ready soon, then.” Harry grinned at her once more and she left the kitchen before her knees could give out on her. Hermione ran a spell through her curls so that they went smooth, and then twisted her hair back into a bun that rested at her nape. Hunting through the clothes she had thrown into her bag when packing to stay at Harry’s, she found a cashmere sleeveless top with a matching skirt. Deeming it perfect, she slipped it on carefully and put some light makeup on her eyes and lips. “Relax, Hermione,” she told her reflection. “This isn’t a date, this isn’t going to be romantic; it’s just a celebration.” Across the hall and down one door, Harry was telling himself the same thing. He ran his hand through his ever messy hair and smoothed down his black dress trousers. “I hope I look all right.” He said to himself. “You look nice.” A voice said at the doorway. Harry spun around to face an embarrassed Hermione. “Sorry,” she said sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to scare you.” “Oh,” Harry was at a loss for words as he looked at her. “No, you didn’t… you look great too.” “Thanks.” She looked down at her feet for a moment then back up at him. “Are you ready?” “Yeah,” he answered, grabbing his cloak from a chair. Helping Hermione into her own cloak, he let his fingers brush her bare skin, sending an electric tingle through both of them. They left the apartment in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Once outside, Hermione reached and took Harry’s hand in hers, and they smiled at one another and walked towards Diagon Alley. They were too far away to hear a low growl come from the bushes by the side of Harry’s flat. A figure stepped out of the shrubbery and began to follow the couple, staying at a pace far back enough so that they wouldn’t see him. They narrowed their eyes whenever either Harry or Hermione would laugh, and a sneer came to their lips whenever Harry or Hermione’s clasped hands came into view. “Better enjoy your time with her now, Potter.” They said angrily under their breath. “It won’t be that way forever.” The figure continued to follow the twosome until they came to the Succubus Stop and disappeared inside. “Table for two, please.” Harry said to the wizard waiting at the door. He bowed slightly and took their cloaks, then led them to a table near the back of the dimly lit restaurant. “Bloody hell,” he muttered to himself. “I had no idea it would be this sort of atmosphere.” He apologized to Hermione once they had sat down. “Oh it’s all right.” Hermione replied. “It’s nice, and quiet actually.” Harry smiled. “Good.” They were handed menus and decided on a few dishes to share along with a bottle of red wine. “What shall we drink to?” Hermione asked after the Merlot had been poured in two goblets. “How about that you’re now safe and sound,” Harry replied. “Definitely to that,” Hermione said with a smile. She sipped at her wine, enjoying the way the taste rolled back over her tongue and down her throat. Setting down her glass, she noticed that Harry was looking at her. “What?” Hermione asked, a bit self conscious. “Nothing,” Harry averted his gaze, embarrassed at being caught. “I just… I think you look really nice tonight.” He fumbled around for words. “I know I told you before, but…” “Thank you, Harry.” Hermione’s cheeks took on a pink tinge. They both looked intently away from one another. The restaurant seemed to be clearing out, the unused tables sweeping back against the wall, and the entranceway was now a bar. “Excuse me,” Harry signalled to their waiter. “Are you closing up?” “No sir.” The waiter seemed excited. “This place turns into a nightclub at about nine.” “Really,” Harry was surprised. He looked over at Hermione. “Sorry, I thought that this was just a restaurant.” “Oh, it’s all right.” Hermione actually felt relieved, she wouldn’t have to just sit and stare at Harry in silence all night. Their meal came soon after that and the two of them ate quickly. After Harry and Hermione finished dinner, they moved from their table to a spot at the bar. “What’ll you have?” Harry asked as they sat down. “Hmmm….” Hermione thought for a moment. “I’ll have some FireWhisky.” “You want Ogden’s?” Harry was surprised. “It packs a punch, you know.” “I know.” Hermione replied, giving him a coy smile. “But I’d like to really, really celebrate tonight.” “All right.” Harry agreed, grinning. He flagged down the bartender and soon enough they were set up with a bottle of Ogden’s Best and two shot glasses. “Ready?” he asked after filling both of them. He threw his head back and gulped the whisky down, enjoying the feeling of it going down his throat. “Hermione, you’re behind now,” he filled himself another shot. “Bugger off Harry I’ve never done shots before.” She replied. Tipping the glass back and swallowing the contents, she began to cough. “Bloody…. Awful….” She gasped. “Have a few more.” Harry replied with a rather evil but charming smile. He poured her another shot. Hermione looked at him cautiously before tossing it back. “Oooh,” she suddenly grinned. “That one wasn’t so bad!” “They get better as you go.” Harry replied, the room starting to spin around him. He was already on his fourth shot, and Ogden’s was working its magic fast on his bloodstream. “Yes they do,” Hermione replied, giggling girlishly now. “I’m going to drink more than you!” “Oh I don’t think so!” Harry said. He quickly grabbed the bottle away from a squealing Hermione. He gave her a lopsided grin as he poured two more shots. “Sod off!” Hermione said, still giggling. Harry couldn’t help laughing as well as she downed the shot in effort to catch up. He was hard pressed to keep from reaching out and taking her in his arms; it was even more of an effort to refrain from just snogging her senseless at that moment. “Harry now I’m ahead of you!” she said now, laughing harder. “Catch up or pay the consequences!” “What might those consequences be, Ms. Granger?” Harry leaned close and watched in satisfaction as her eyes widened. “I’m *very* interested in knowing what I would have to do should I not catch up.” “Wouldn’t you like to know,” Hermione replied pertly. She looked back up at him, trying not to wobble and fall off the stool. “I can beat you at this.” “At what?” Harry asked, amused. “Staring contest,” She said, not looking as she filled up another shot. “Or have you forgotten how many times I beat Ron at this?” “How could I forget anything you do?” Harry asked quietly. “Wha… what do you mean?” Hermione asked nervously. Harry opened his mouth to answer, but shut it with a snap as he looked over his shoulder. “What is it… oh.” She turned to see what he was looking at. “What the fuck is she doing here?” Harry muttered as his ex came in the door, new man hanging onto her arm. Liz looked no worse for wear, and Harry instantly sobered somewhat upon seeing her. Hermione could feel her lip curling in a slight sneer as the other woman strode through the nightclub as if she owned it. Her long blue-black hair was curled, her makeup perfectly applied, and her slinky black dress falling off her shoulders. Glancing back at Harry, she could see that he was angry. “Harry,” she said in a low voice, putting a hand on his arm. “Do you want to leave?” “No.” Harry said flatly, his jaw set. “I refuse to leave just because *she’s* here.” He felt himself visibly relax as his eyes rested on Hermione’s face. “That’s good, Harry.” Hermione was encouraging. “Just act like she’s not here.” He nodded, still a bit tense. Grabbing the bottle of Ogden’s, he poured the rest of it into the two shot glasses. “Let’s finish this up.” They both tossed back the shots and dropped the glasses next to the bottle. Harry was pleased that the room still was swirling around them as he tried to stay up upon the bar stool. “Come on,” he snorted with laughter again as he pulled on Hermione’s hands. “I want to dance.” “What?” Hermione asked, giggling again as well. “You just want to make her jealous,” she jerked her head in Liz’s direction. Harry feigned a look of hurt. “That’s not true!” he said, stumbling backwards as she fell against him. “Ow,” they both began laughing again. “Hermione you’re— “ “Don’t you dare say I’m heavy, Harry James Potter!” Hermione wagged a finger at him, still collapsed against his chest. “I was going to say light as a feather,” he smirked at her. “Come on, I want to dance!” “I thought you couldn’t dance.” Hermione replied, letting him tug her out to the floor. “I can’t.” Harry snickered. “But this isn’t really dancing, is it?” he motioned to the other people grinding up against one another. She grinned up at him and then wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her body tightly against his. “Hey, I like this,” he grinned as he wound his arms around her waist. They began to move together to the music that was pounding out of the walls, oblivious now to the jealous glares coming from Liz. “This isn’t so bad!” Harry said after a few minutes. “No it’s not,” Hermione replied, moving closer and burying her face in his neck. He smelled wonderful, she realised as she brought her fingers up and pushed them into the hair at his nape. Harry felt a shiver go up his spine as he felt Hermione’s fingers in his hair. Smiling slightly, he bent forward so that his face was pressed against her locks, his lips moving slightly. Lord, he wanted her so bad right then it literally took all his drunken self control not to do anything. The music changed and Hermione pulled reluctantly away. They looked at one another for several long, tense moments as the rest of the crowd continued to dance around them. Oblivious to the glaring stare of Harry’s ex, they sank back into each other’s arms and just swayed, completely out of time to the music. Neither of them noticed Liz steer her man of the hour in their direction until she purposefully bumped into Harry. “What a surprise,” Liz’s voice was scornful as she looked Hermione up and down. “Here without a date are we Harry?” “No,” Harry replied, trying to keep his cool. “But I don’t know if that’s any business of yours anymore.” “Well don’t be silly,” Liz suddenly turned coy and ran her hand up his arm. “I can tell that you miss me.” Harry jerked away as if her touch burned him. Hermione took his hand in hers, glaring at Liz all the while. “He doesn’t need pity for a date.” She replied, her voice as cold as ice. “Plus he’s not paying me for company.” Liz’s jaw dropped at Hermione’s insinuation. “What are you implying, *Hermione*?” her tone was mocking. “I’m *implying* that you’re an idiot to leave Harry, especially in the manner that you did, and to come up to him now and act as if everything is all right makes you a pathetic excuse for a witch.” Hermione replied heatedly. Liz’s jaw worked up and down but no sounds came out. “Come on,” Harry suddenly spoke up. “We don’t need to reduce ourselves to this.” He cast a glare at Liz, and then slipped an arm around Hermione’s waist as they walked away. Wordlessly, they retrieved their cloaks and left the nightclub. “I’m sorry about that,” Harry said once they were some distance away. “I… I wasn’t prepared to face her so soon.” “Do… do you still have… feelings for her?” Hermione asked, feeling strangely short of breath. Harry turned and gave her a half smile. “Funnily enough, not really.” He sighed, looking straight ahead again. “I mean, sure, at first I was extremely hurt, but then I was so worried about you that it just didn’t seem to matter.” His hand came out from under his cloak and found hers. “And then once you came to stay with me….it all faded even more.” Hermione squeezed his fingers gently. “I’m glad,” she replied. “I was beginning to feel useless around there, letting you do everything.” They both laughed softly as they went up the steps and into Harry’s flat. “It’s still rather early,” Harry said as they hung their cloaks up. “How about I start a fire and we have some hot chocolate?” “Water might be good too,” Hermione said. “I have a feeling our heads will be aching soon enough.” “You take care of that and I’ll take care of the fire.” Harry said. “Deal?” “Deal!” Hermione replied, heading for the kitchen. Harry watched her walk away, and then headed into the living room where in just a few moments he had a cheery fire blazing. “I see you’ve fulfilled your part of the bargain.” Hermione said, levitating a tray with two mugs and two bottles of water. “And here is mine.” “Just what the doctor ordered.” Harry grinned as he spread a soft Gryffindor coloured blanket out on the floor. He sat down and patted the spot next to him. “This skirt isn’t the best thing in the world to lounge around in.” Hermione pulled it up over her knees. “That’s better.” Harry gulped as her legs became visible. He turned back to look at the fire, pushing up on the sleeves of his shirt. “So…” Hermione said after she’d taken a sip of her chocolate. “Why do you think she came up to you like that?” Harry shrugged and snorted. “I don’t know. I don’t even think I know who she is anymore.” He pushed up on his glasses. “I should have seen that she was becoming distant over the past month or two, but I was blind. I thought I loved Liz.” Hermione sighed. “Do you think you could ever forgive her?” “I don’t care about her anymore.” Harry said, his glasses reflecting the fire and making it hard for Hermione to read his eyes. “It’s over with; I don’t even want to see her again.” “Well, she’s a moron.” Hermione said. “I mean, if she could leave a great guy like you for someone else, there’s got to be something wrong with her.” Harry made a sound in his throat and turned to her. “You think I’m a great guy?” Hermione felt her face flame. “Well… yeah… you’re like an ideal boyfriend Harry, the way you dote on a woman.” She put her hand on his arm. “I saw how you treated her when you were together, like she was the only woman in the universe.” “Well if I’m so good to them then why don’t any of them stay with me?” Harry asked, looking straight ahead. “I don’t know.” Hermione sighed and looked back at the fire. “I guess we’re both unlucky in love, I mean, look at my track record.” Harry half smiled and turned his head to look at her at the same moment she did. Their eyes locked, and they both found themselves leaning towards one another. His lips brushed hers gently; it felt like a warm caress of a breeze. Harry’s hand touched the side of her face, his fingers moving lightly across her cheek. Hermione pulled away slightly and opened her eyes to find his green ones transfixed on her face. “Hermione I…” he never got to finish because she put her index finger over his lips and them moved her hand up to take his glasses off. His emerald gaze was even brighter without the lenses and Hermione found herself spellbound as he leaned in again, and this time their kiss wasn’t so hesitant. His mouth was hot against hers as his hands came up and around her slim body, pulling her up tight against him. She brought her fingers up to trail through the hair at his nape; Harry let out a soft groan as her nails gently brushed his scalp. He shuddered as he pulled his mouth from Hermione’s and eased her down so that she was lying on the floor. His hands began to wander over her body as his lips attacked her skin. “Oh God… Harry…” Hermione breathed as his tongue darted out over her neck, his mouth moving down and across her throat. She involuntarily arched her back, pressing her breast into his palm. It was suddenly too hot for clothing and she sat up, pulling her jumper over her head. He helped her pull his off as well, and then Hermione leaned forward and pressed her mouth against Harry’s, knocking him backwards onto the blanket. Harry moved his hands up over her back, passing her bra, and dug his fingers into her hair, pulling the long locks out of the bun she wore, the strands spilling out around and over the two of them like a curtain. Her body moved against his, making his lower half ache. Hermione could feel Harry’s growing response to her, and it both frightened and thrilled her. This was *Harry* for Merlin’s sake, her best friend Harry she was kissing, and that was the scary part. But it wasn’t just Harry her best friend from their school days; it was a grown up Harry who happened to be the best kisser she’d ever encountered. Harry, who had just broken up with his long time girlfriend not even a week before… “Harry.” Hermione pulled her mouth away from his and propped herself up on her hands so she could look down at him. “Harry… we can’t do this you’ve just ended a relationship…” He gazed at her with his slightly unfocused eyes and she felt her heart skip a few beats. “I don’t care.” He murmured, pulling her back on top of him. “I want you.” She was about to respond when Harry gave her an open mouthed kiss that left her completely breathless. Hermione could no longer think as his tongue tangoed madly with hers, his hands trailing down her back to the clasp of her bra. He snapped it off with one quick motion and began to peel the lacy fabric away from her skin. Harry wanted to feel her under him, so he moved around so that he was now on top, whisking off her bra without once taking his lips from hers. She arched her back again as his thumb brushed over her already hard nipples, making her cry out into his mouth. He broke away and began to make a trail down her throat, leaving wet kisses over her skin, and then taking one breast into his mouth. Hermione cried out even louder as his tongue flicked over her tip, and fisted her hand in his hair, gripping tightly. It had been far too long since she’d been touched intimately, and her body was craving what Harry had to give; what he apparently wanted to do to her. His hand covered the breast his mouth had just been on as he moved to her other, giving it the same treatment as she gasped his name over and over again. “Harry… make love to me…” Hermione whimpered as his tongue traced over her skin. “Please Harry… make love to me…” Harry pulled his mouth away and looked down at her. “Hermione…” “Just do it Harry.” She was demanding as she pulled him back down on top of her and crushed her mouth to his. “You want to? Honestly?” he asked several moments later after they pulled away from each other. “Yes.” Hermione said immediately. Harry nodded and then stood up and put out the fire. He held a hand out to her and she rose, and started laughing when he scooped her up in his arms, honeymoon style. “We have to do this right,” he said, leaning in for a quick kiss. Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck as he went down the hall into his bedroom. Harry kicked the door shut behind them, then carefully laid her down on the bed, immediately bending over to kiss her again. *** *** *** Hermione’s arms and legs were still tangled with Harry’s a few hours later. Their fingers were laced together, her thumb brushing over the back of his hand. Harry’s green eyes were shut tight, his breathing steady as he slept, unaware that Hermione was studying his face and thinking about what they had done that evening. “I don’t know what to think anymore…” she said, her voice barely making a sound. “I never thought you and I… that we’d do that sort of thing.” Harry slept on, as Hermione continued. “What do I do now?” she closed her eyes a moment. “I’m so confused about how I feel about you Harry…” sleepiness was overcoming her in waves. Hermione yawned as she pulled her hand away from Harry’s, debating on whether or not to move to the side of the bed as well. He had made her feel so good that night, and after the past few weeks, she was craving affection. “I’ll think about it in the morning…” Hermione told herself as her eyes slid shut, her body still firmly twined with Harry’s. Chapter 4 will be out as soon as I can get it done- Monday I leave for London YAY!!! 4. Chapter Four --------------- Heaven Normal Heaven 2 1 2003-06-30T06:33:00Z 2003-06-30T06:35:00Z 1 3973 22648 188 53 26568 10.2625 Clean MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Chapter 4 A/N: Hi everyone! Well I rushed it, and yes! I finished Dark Betrayal! Some of you guys are way smarter than me, and pointed out quite a big mistake: It was supposed to be Millicent Bulstrode, but instead, I wound up using Pansy Parkinson on mistake… so now I’ve changed it so it’s all Pansy. Thanks to those of you that pointed that out to me! Anyways, like I said, this is the **last** chapter… everything is wound up in the next 13 pages… some of you were smart and guessed, some of you others might just be surprised at what happens :) In any case, I thank you ALL for reading and reviewing, and keep your eyes out for more stuff to come up after I get back from my trip! And a very, VERY special thank you to Holly for helping me out with this chapter… if it weren’t for her you guys wouldn’t have it yet! Hermione pulled the sheets tighter around herself as she tried her hardest not to wake up. Cracking one eye open, she saw that it was barely past seven. ‘I can sleep for another hour,’ she thought, and burrowed her face back into the pillow. She was almost asleep again when she felt the bed sag a bit from someone sitting down on the edge. “Hermione…” Harry called her name quietly. He had woken up that morning and grinned when he saw her body still curled up against his. Harry had still felt like the night before had been a dream until he looked over and saw her in his bed, and he realised then how lucky he was. “Hermione…” he leaned over further, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. “Love, it’s time to get up…” “Don’t want to.” Hermione buried her face even further into her pillow. Harry realised he was going to have to use different tactics. He leaned over and pressed his lips to her bare shoulder, leaving soft, gentle kisses on her skin. Harry worked his way up her neck and by the time he reached her face she had turned and met his lips with her own. “Are you awake now?” Harry asked as he pulled away. He watched her blink sleepily for a moment, and then her eyes shot open. “Bloody hell….” Hermione winced and put her hands to her forehead. “I made this for you,” Harry brought a mug of bubbling potion to her lips. “Drink it.” Hermione clutched onto the cup and gulped back the potion, leaning on the pillows as she did so. “Thank you,” she muttered as soon as she could recover her powers of speech. For some reason she wanted to shrink into a little ball and just fade away. “I’ll um… I’ll be leaving today.” Harry looked at her, startled. “Leaving?” “Yes,” Hermione answered, still not looking up from the empty mug. “Since Krum was caught… I have no reason to intrude on you anymore.” “You haven’t been intruding.” Harry replied, putting a finger under her chin and forcing her to look up. “Hermione…” “I need to use the loo.” Hermione interrupted. She pulled the sheet from Harry’s bed and kept it wrapped around her as she fled the room. “Hermione,” Harry followed her out of his bedroom. “We need to talk, Hermione.” He tapped lightly on the door. “About what?” Hermione tried to make her voice sound innocent and failed miserably. “About what?” Harry repeated disbelievingly. He opened the door and she gave a shriek and pulled the sheet more tightly around herself. “About last night!” “We were drunk, Harry,” Hermione replied. “I’m not so sure what we did was right.” “Dammit, Hermione, I love you!” Harry burst out. “I wouldn’t have slept with you if I wasn’t sure, and bloody hell, you ASKED me to do it!” Hermione put her forehead in her hand while trying to clutch onto the sheet. “I’m sorry.” Harry felt like he had been hit in the chest with a stunning spell. “Look,” he began, his tone hurt. “Leave whenever you want. I’m going.” He slammed the door behind him and took off down the hall, trying to contain his temper. Hermione sank to the floor as tears came to her eyes. She jumped again as Harry slammed the front door of the flat, the walls shaking behind him. “I deserve his anger.” Hermione said to herself, wiping away at a few tears. “He just told me he loves me and all I could do is say it happened too fast. I’m such a bloody idiot.” She stood up and splashed some cool water on her face. Going into the guest room, she pulled on her work clothes and tied her hair back. Hermione gathered her belongings, and then hesitantly walked into Harry’s room for the rest of her clothes. Putting the sheet back on the bed, new tears sprang to her eyes. “What do I do?” she asked desolately, sinking down on the edge. She sobbed for a few moments and then straightened back up. “Cho…. I can talk to Cho, she’s dated Harry, she’ll know what to do….” Hermione grabbed up the rest of her clothes and dashed from the flat. “Cho?” she knocked on her boss’s door. “I’m sorry to disturb you…” “Oh it’s no problem,” Cho replied pleasantly. Her smile turned to a frown when Hermione came in and took her Muggle sunglasses off. “What’s wrong?” “I um…” Hermione sniffed and sat down, ashamed of her red eyes. “Here,” Cho offered her a tissue as she sat down next to Hermione. “Look, start from the beginning… did something happen with Harry? With Krum?” “With Harry,” Hermione answered. “When they got Viktor last night, he came home and told me, and then took me out to celebrate.” She sniffled and wiped at her eyes. “We got a little drunk, and started to dance,” she missed Cho’s slight smile at this. “Then his ex girlfriend came in, we all had a few words, and he and I decided to leave.” “Then what?” Cho asked gently, stroking Hermione’s hair in a calming manner. “We… we made love….” Hermione said, covering her face with her hands. “Hermione, that’s not a bad thing,” Cho said, suppressing a smile. “Well… that’s not really the bad part,” Hermione said. “This morning, when he woke me up… he told me he loves me….” “And you didn’t say it back?” Cho finished. Hermione shook her head miserably. “Not only that, I told him that we went too fast. I think he hates me.” Cho smiled. “Harry could never hate you, Hermione.” She chuckled. “In fact, I don’t even think he could *dislike* you, much less hate you.” “Really?” Hermione asked in a tiny voice. “How *do* you feel about Harry?” Cho asked carefully. Hermione was silent for awhile. “I’m not sure,” she said finally. “I don’t think I’m up to answering questions about how I feel about Harry.” She turned to look at Cho. “When you went out with him… was he like that?” Hermione was surprised when Cho threw her head back and laughed. “Hermione, you’ve got to remember, when Harry and I went out… it was eight years ago for one thing, and neither of us really knew what we were doing.” “Really?” Hermione asked with a small smile on her face. “He never really talked about it much… and I just figured you had more experience than me in this matter.” Cho grinned. “Well… I do recall that the majority of what we talked about was you.” “Me?” Hermione was stunned. “Harry talked about me while he was on a date with you?” Cho nodded. “At the time… I wanted to talk about Cedric, and what was happening between Harry and I… and all he wanted to talk about was you.” She looked at Hermione with an impish twinkle in her eye. “And I was jealous, I was angry at you for taking up Harry’s time when you weren’t even with him.” Hermione opened her mouth to respond but Cho didn’t let her talk. “I’ve gotten over it, obviously. It was just obvious to me even then that he was crazy about you, even if I was the only one who knew it.” Hermione smiled again. “That seems like such a long time ago now, so much has happened since then.” “Yes, things have changed.” Cho got up, handing Hermione another tissue. “Are you feeling better?” “I think so,” Hermione answered. “I appreciate your listening to me.” “Anytime, Hermione.” Cho replied. “Now, if I don’t make you go to work, what sort of boss am I?” she joked. Hermione laughed. “All right, all right, I’m going.” She picked up her bag and turned to leave. “Hermione, if you talk to him, he’ll understand.” Cho said. “You know that right?” “I know,” Hermione answered. She left Cho’s office and went down the hall to her own, intent on getting as much work on her desk as possible so she didn’t have to think of Harry. Opening her door, she stepped inside. “Ernie!” she nearly screamed. “What the bloody hell are you doing in here?” Ernie jumped, spilling the papers he was holding all over her desk. “Hermione! I’m sorry! I came in here to look for some old research you did…. I didn’t’ mean to scare you!” Hermione bent down to pick up a few sheets of parchment. “Ernie, what are you doing with these? This isn’t research these are old letters of mine from Harry and Ron.” “I know…” Ernie stuttered. “I didn’t mean to read those, I mean, I found them when I was looking for your research…” “And you just decided you’d take a peek?” Hermione asked crossly. “This doesn’t look like research to me, and you looked pretty comfortable behind my desk.” “I… I’m sorry…” Ernie looked contrite. He held out a sheaf of parchments and Hermione snatched them away, still glaring at him. “I really didn’t mean it Hermione…” he actually looked close to tears and she sighed. “I’m sorry too.” Hermione set her things down and rubbed at her eyes. “I’ve had a rough night and morning; I didn’t mean to take it out on you.” “Anything I can help with?” Ernie seemed to have regained his composure. “No… it’s just something Harry and I have to deal with together.” Hermione replied. “Which research project were you looking for?” “Oh…” the question caught him off guard. “Umm… the Pantheon Chronicles.” He replied quickly. Hermione went to her shelves and within seconds had located the stack of parchment. “There you go.” She said. “Anything else?” “No,” Ernie smiled at her. “That’ll be it.” He turned to leave. “I’m really sorry about your letters.” “It’s all right.” Hermione waved her hand and he left. She sat down and let her forehead thud against the cherry wood desk. *“Hermione, if you talk to him, he’ll understand.”* Cho’s voice echoed through her head. “Will he really understand?” Hermione asked aloud. “What if I’ve mucked everything up by telling him we went into things too fast?” She stared off into space for a moment, then grabbed a fresh piece of parchment and loaded her quill with ink. ~*Harry* *First off, I want to apologise for what I said this morning. I was terrified of what happened last night, but I don’t feel that it was wrong.* *I can’t blame my actions on being pissed. I wanted you last night, Harry, I wanted you badly. Then after we finished I laid there looking at you… and I was scared at what I felt, because I’ve never felt this way about anyone before.* Hermione nibbled on the tip of her quill before continuing. *I think I’m in love with you. No, scratch that. I know I love you. I’m a bloody idiot if I don’t tell you that, because you’re one of the best parts of my life, and after last night, I think now that it can only get better.* *So here’s hoping that you aren’t too angry with me. If you’re not, please come over to my flat tonight at eight, and we can figure out where to go from there.* *Love,* *Hermione* She rolled up the parchment and went down to the Owlery before she could lose her nerve. As she watched a snowy white owl that looked remarkably like Hedwig fly off, Hermione could feel a weight lifted from her shoulders. *** *** *** *** *** *** Harry walked down the street to the Ministry building, holding his cloak tightly around him. The brisk wind cut through his robes, but he felt even colder on the inside. He had gotten Hermione’s letter earlier, and had stuffed it in his pocket, not able to handle any more rejection from her. Try as he might, however, he was not able to become fully angry with her. His fingers curled around the rolled parchment and he pulled it from his pocket, staring at it as if it held the answers to the world’s biggest problems. “I should just read it and get it over with.” Harry mumbled to himself. He stepped inside the warmer Ministry building and moved off to the side of the lobby. Taking a deep breath, he unfurled the parchment and began to read. His eyes opened wide, and a smile started to spread over his face. “Hermione….” He murmured. He had to fight hard to keep a stupid grin from growing, and to keep his voice down from shouting. Harry tucked the note back in his pocket and practically skipped down the hall to the hearing room. He opened the door and grinned widely at Neville and Dean, who looked back at him, puzzled. “You’re in a good mood today.” Neville stated. “Something go your way?” “You could say that.” Harry tossed his cloak on a chair. “So where’s Krum?” “On his way,” Dean replied. “Apparently he and his manager want to strike some sort of deal with us, but we’ll see.” “A deal?” Harry snorted. “Right.” “We’ll see what they say,” Neville said from the other side of the room. Harry nodded, his feet tapping on the floor. He was anxious now to get this over with, to get over to Hermione’s. Harry was dying to pull out her letter and read it again but not in front of his two friends. A few moments later Krum slouched in accompanied by his manager. Shively was a nervous, small man who kept wringing his hands together, then running them through the little bit of hair left at the top of his head. “Viktor has something to tell all of you,” Shively said, his voice wobbling. He prodded Krum in the back. “I vant to tell you vhere I vos that night,” Viktor replied dutifully. “That’s convenient.” Harry snapped. “All of a sudden you have an alibi?” “Harry!” Neville looked at him with a warning glance. “Sorry,” Harry muttered. “I vas not vith Hermy-own-ninny.” Viktor said. “I vos at the Veela Snatch.” “You were at the Veela Snatch?” Dean asked. The Veela Snatch was a strip club near Knockturn Alley, it wasn’t the nicest of places, it was heard around Diagon Alley that the manager didn’t even use real Veela. “I vos there after Hermy-own-ninny would not haff dinner with me.” Viktor replied. “I stayed there until two in the morning.” Harry simply stared at him, not wanting to believe what he had heard. Neville strode out of the room, and silence fell over until he returned. “I’ve just owled for confirmation,” he said. “Were you there with anyone else?” His eyes revealed his frustration as well. A cold ball of fear was growing in Harry’s stomach; if Viktor was innocent… then the *real* killer was still out there. He was on pins and needles by the time the owl arrived back from the Veela Snatch, around seven thirty. Neville read the note with a completely blank face, and then motioned for Dean and Harry to follow him out of the room. “Krum was there, at the Veela Snatch.” Neville revealed in a low voice. “The manager and three dancers can vouch for him.” “Fuck!” Harry swore, smashing his fist against the wall. “Hermione went home this morning.” All three men paled. “All right, Harry, you go back to her flat and stay with her, or take her back to your place. Neville, you come with me…” his words were lost as Harry dashed away without bothering to retrieve his cloak. ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** Hermione looked up at the clock on her wall; it was already half past six. “I can finish this tomorrow.” Butterflies arose in her stomach as she left her office. “Hi Ernie,” she poked her head into her friend’s office. “I’m leaving a bit early tonight.” “All right,” Ernie smiled at her. “Heading back to Harry’s?” “No, actually, I’m back at my flat now.” Hermione replied. “He’s coming over later though.” “Well you two have fun.” Ernie waved at her. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” “See you.” Hermione turned and left the office, ignoring Pansy as she crossed the lobby. On her short walk home, she briefly wondered if Harry was going to come over that night like she had asked him to in her letter. He had not responded to her owl, so that could either mean he never wanted to see her again….or that he was coming. “Bloody hell, Hermione.” She muttered to herself. “Of course he’ll come over… stop being so pessimistic.” Closing the door to her flat behind her, she took a deep breath. It was nice to be home, even though she missed being at Harry’s already. “No time for that.” She hung up her cloak and set her bag against the wall. Hermione moved into the bedroom, momentarily shivering as she remembered what happened there. She took a shower then got dressed in a pair of old jeans and a fitted light blue tee shirt. Hermione paced through her small living room, glancing every few minutes at the clock. “I’ve never wanted time to go by faster than I do now.” It was a quarter past seven, so Hermione went into her kitchen to make some tea. A loud knock at her front door made her jump, then chuckle at her nervousness. Butterflies erupted again as she went down the hallway, thinking that perhaps Harry had decided to come over early. “Ernie!” she said in surprise. “Hi… what are you doing here?” “I’m really sorry to bother you at home like this, but I had some information that I found from that research you gave me earlier today.” Ernie held up a sheaf of parchments. “It couldn’t wait until tomorrow?” Hermione asked. “Well,” Ernie gave her an embarrassed smile. “I was kind of excited about it…” “Oh,” Hermione opened the door wider. “Why don’t you come on inside?” “Thanks,” he said, stepping over the threshold. “I was just making some tea,” Hermione said, closing the door behind him. “Would you like a cup?” “Sure, that sounds great.” Hermione smiled and headed down the hallway. She didn’t notice when Ernie turned the deadbolt and then muttered a quick spell. “I’m expecting Harry in a little while,” she was saying. “But it’s nice to have company in the meantime.” “Yes, it is.” Ernie replied, entering her kitchen. He slipped his hand into his pocket and fingered the long, silver blade of the knife, the same knife he’d used before. “So, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?” Hermione set two mugs on the table. She sat down and he followed suit. “Well….” Ernie fiddled with the cup. “I never got to talk to talk to you much about what happened.” Hermione shrugged. “They got Viktor Krum,” she said. “I mean, Harry told me tonight they’ll have all they need.” “Well that’s good.” Ernie replied, a strange smile on his face. “The last thing we need is to have someone like that wandering the streets.” She nodded. “It was terrifying though, I mean, he had a knife, he was going to kill me… apparently the fact that I didn’t want to date him…. Meant more than I thought it would.” “It did. It meant a lot.” Ernie said, the same strange smile still on his face. “Wha… what?” Hermione looked up at him. “What are you talking about?” “Your rejection… it hurts people.” Ernie replied, an odd glow in his eyes. “Did you ever stop to think about that, Hermione? That you hurt people’s feelings?’ “Ernie….” Hermione’s voice quavered. Her heart lurched against her ribcage as he stood up. “Apparently Krum handles rejection better than I do, I mean, he’s not in here right now is he?” Ernie spat. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the evil looking knife, pleased to see Hermione begin to tremble. “It was you?” her voice was almost a whisper. “You kidnapped me…. and… and… tried to ki—kill me?” “I would have succeeded too if you hadn’t fought back.” Ernie’s voice lowered and changed so it was the same tone as it had been when he’d held her in the house. “And this time…” Ernie reached into his other pocket and pulled out a baggy black mask. “Oh God….” Hermione paled, realization hitting her like a curse. She had just invited a killer into her home. With that thought in mind, she pushed back her chair and ran out of the room, Ernie hot on her tail. She flew to the front door, trying desperately to turn the lock in her hands. Her fingers slipped off and she screamed when Ernie grabbed her around the waist. “Bitch!” he threw her up against the wall. Hermione fell upon the table and it smashed under her weight. She tried to get up but her back was hurting, and… and she was bleeding now, from somewhere she couldn’t see. “Ernie, please…” Hermione had tears in her eyes. “You don’t want to do this, please…” “I wouldn’t HAVE to come to this if you hadn’t ignored me for the past ten years!” Ernie bellowed. “If you’d only turned and seen me… I’ve been there for you; I got a job so I could be by you as much as possible… YET YOU STILL DON’T FUCKING SEE ME!” “Hermione!” a pounding at the door made them both turn. “Hermione let me in! Hermione’s IT’S NOT KRUM!” Harry smacked his fist against the door over and over again. “HARRY!” she screamed, lurching up off the floor, ignoring the pain in her back. “Harry HELP ME its ERNIE AND HE’S IN HERE WITH ME!” “SHUT UP!” Ernie shouted. He grabbed her again and pushed her back towards the kitchen. “Not another fucking word out of you!” Harry threw his whole body against the door, panic and rage burning inside him. The door wasn’t especially strong, but it was not budging. Harry plunged a hand in his robe and looked frantically for his wand. Hermione stumbled into the kitchen, falling over a chair as Ernie pushed her again from behind. He cupped his hand around her chin and she felt the cold blade of the knife against her throat. “Don’t move, and don’t say anything.” Ernie carefully traced the knife along her skin. “This could have all been so different, Hermione.” She whimpered in reply. “No really… you and I could have been so perfect together.” Harry could feel his throat grow hoarse as he screamed out every spell he knew to break whatever it was on the door. “Maybe you’re right Ernie,” Hermione said, her voice trembling. She inched her hand up towards the still steaming mug of tea before her on the table. “I haven’t been fair to you at all, have I?” “No, you haven’t.” Ernie replied. “It’s too late for changes though.” Hermione tried to shake her head no as she still reached for the tea. “No, come on Ernie… it’s never too late.” Her other hand sneaked up slowly to his arm. “I think we could make things work….” In one swift, quick motion, she grabbed both the tea and his arm, and as Hermione yanked the knife away from her neck, she tossed the hot liquid directly into his eyes. The knife nicked her slightly as it fell from his grip, and even in her panic she didn’t miss a beat as she snatched it up with one hand, the other touching her cut lightly. “You stupid… fucking….” Ernie was howling in pain as he rubbed at his eyes. He pulled his fists down and glared at her, his pupils large in his red eyes. “I’m going to enjoy killing you…” The knife shook in her grasp, nearly slipping out. Hermione held it out in what she hoped was a threatening manner, but it didn’t seem to faze Ernie as he grinned manically. “You think I’m scared of you with that?” he sneered. He made a quick motion towards her and Hermione shrieked. “You wouldn’t do anything to me…” “The HELL I wouldn’t!” Hermione screamed. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time now….” Ernie said in a low, dangerous tone. “Ever since you broke my heart… this has been all I’ve been able to think about…” he raised his arms. “Goodbye Hermione….” He rushed at her and Hermione screamed again. Harry heard her scream as he finally came upon the spell that kept the deadbolt in place. He muttered the words and threw his weight against the door again, finally breaking through. “Hermione!” he called, sick with fear. “Please let her be okay, please don’t let her be dead…” the thoughts ran through his head as he flew towards her kitchen. Ernie Macmillan lay on top of Hermione, blood gushing and pooling around the two of them. Harry felt like he was going to pass out as he looked at her pale face, and the long, silver knife on the floor. “Her…Hermione…” he gasped out, falling on his knees next to her. He reached out and touched her hair, not caring that his hand was covered in blood. Her eyes were wide open, staring up at the ceiling. Harry let out a loud anguished cry— he was too late! Hermione tried to work her mouth, but found that she couldn’t. She blinked a couple of times, and was able to turn her head slightly. “Harry….” She finally managed. “Hermione!” His head shot up and then he was pushing Ernie off her. “Oh God, Hermione you’re all right!” Harry hugged her tightly against him, not caring about the mess. She let out several small whimpers and he felt her arms go around his chest. “Shhhh…. It’s all right; it’s all over now….” *** A Half Hour Later*** Ministry Officials were crowded through Hermione’s flat, some covering the body, others finishing up reports. Hermione sat at her kitchen table, a warm wool blanket draped over her shoulders. Harry was trying to gently help her clean the now dried blood from her neck and arms. Her eyes were red rimmed, and she couldn’t stop sniffling. “I killed someone tonight, Harry.” Her voice was dull. “In self defence, Hermione,” Harry replied softly. “If you hadn’t killed him he would have murdered you.” She stared at the wall and nodded. “I guess you’re right,” she said sadly. Turning to look at Harry, Hermione felt her eyes well up with tears once more. “I really thought he was my friend, you know. All these years… he really hated me enough to want me dead.” Two tears ran down her cheeks and she brushed away impatiently at them. Harry moved his chair closer and put his fingers under her chin. “Look at me,” he commanded gently. “Ernie was messed up. You did nothing wrong, Hermione, nothing. You need to believe that.” Hermione nodded again and a tiny smile appeared on her lips. “I’m such a burden, aren’t I?” “No.” Harry returned her smile. “There’s no place I’d rather be right now.” “I… I’m really sorry,” Hermione began. “About last night… I mean… it was just so sudden…it was so scary…did you get my letter though?” “Yeah…” Harry dried his hands and ran his fingers through his hair. “Look, I know we were both a bit drunk… but I meant what I said to you. And yes, I got your letter…” Hermione looked at him for a moment and felt her heart lurch forward again, although this was a much more pleasant sensation than before. She leaned forward and gently pressed her lips against his, keeping them there for a few long moments. His green eyes locked onto hers and his smile was more genuine when they pulled away from each other. “This might take me awhile… you know… to get over.” Hermione’s hand found Harry’s. “Be there for me?” He squeezed her fingers lightly. “Always.”