The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Rating: R
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 28/07/2004
Last Updated: 15/01/2005
Status: Completed

*sequel to Dirty Dancing* After leaving Hillsdale, Harry and Hermione move in together. They thought their life with one another would be simple now that the Dursleys, Draco and Ginny were out of the picture. Yet their lives away from dancing are quite different, and many new people enter their lives- including a study partner that's bent on getting Hermione to fall for him. Their young relationship will face its toughest test, but in the end will their love be enough to survive or will the dance come to an end? H/Hr, R/LL, N/C, L/S and mentions of D/G

1. Chapter 1

A/N: Well you all asked for it and you got it! Here’s the first chapter to the Dirty Dancing sequel!

Be patient with us please- we’re both working on our other stories as well as this so updates may not be as fast as you all would like them to be, at least not at first.

There will also be no contest for this story- finding a song for each chapter can prove difficult and time consuming.

Anyways… please read, review, and most of all, enjoy!!

Hermione carried in a box of books and dropped it heavily in the new living room. "Lavender, honestly, I know it's hot but you agreed to help!" her cousin had been sitting in the living room for the past half hour, drinking all their cold pumpkin juice while painting her nails.

Lavender held up her right hand and blew on her wet nails. "As soon as these are dry, I'm all yours. I promise." She looked up at Hermione and her nose crinkled up. "Don't take this the wrong way, but you look horrible."

Hermione put her hands on her hips. "That's because I'm WORKING," she snapped.

Lavender rolled her eyes and stared back at Hermione indignantly. "I've helped. I held the door for Harry and your dad when they brought in the mattress."

"Ugh!" Hermione flung her hands into the air and stomped out of the room, running directly into her father and Harry.

"What's wrong?" Robert asked, clearly knowing what Hermione was angry about and was quite amused.

"Did she finish her toes yet?" Harry asked with a laugh. "She was putting on her second coat I believe when we came up with the bookshelves."

"Yes, she's finished her bloody toes and now she's on her bloody fingers. I'm going to bloody her face if she doesn't start doing SOMETHING SOON!" Hermione finished with a shout.

"Well, at least she's not as bad as Ron," Harry said. "He left nearly an hour and a half ago to get everyone some lunch, right? We'll be lucky to see him before dark if past history is any indication."

Hermione sighed, sagging against the wall. "We're never going to get this finished are we?" she asked.

"Now, now," Robert patted his daughter's shoulder. "We've gotten more than we would if we moved you in the Muggle way," he smiled.

Harry looked at Hermione and fought the urge to wrap her in his arms and tell her everything would be okay. Truth be told, he was still a little wary of showing affection toward her in front of her father. So he just winked at her and gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

Hermione sighed again, understanding what Harry was thinking. "Well we'd best get back to it," she brushed past her father, who sent Harry a smile.

"When she gets stressed she tends to get angry easily," Robert said. "She's not mad at you or anything."

Harry still couldn't get over what a difference a few weeks had made. If someone had asked him over a month ago if Robert Granger would actually be helping Harry and Hermione move in together, Harry would have laughed in their face. Not knowing what else to say, he just nodded.

"I guess we should get back downstairs then?" he asked, looking at Robert.

Robert nodded, clapping the younger man's shoulder. "When does your training begin, Harry?" he asked.

"Next week," Harry said following Robert down the stairs. "I can't wait to get started."

"Sounds like quite a profession," they both hoisted up the bed frame that Harry and Hermione had picked out.

"That goes in the bedroom!" Hermione called loudly. "Lavender will you PLEASE GET UP AND HELP?"

"Can't," Lavender called out apologetically. "I didn't like the way that one colour dried on my fingers."

Elinore quickly put a hand on Hermione's arm. "Hermione, sweetheart… Maybe, you should take a break. You've been going non stop since we starting this morning. In fact, I think we all should take a break."

She looked over at Harry. "Where's that nice young man that left to get the food?"

"Uh... he's probably eating it as we speak," Harry said. "Ron's not known for his small appetite."

Hermione raked her hands through her hair. "And we don’t' have enough food here yet for everyone!" she wailed.

"We're out of drinks, too," Lavender pointed out from her perch on the floor. "You really should have bought more, Hermione."

She must have looked like she was going to murder her cousin because Harry pulled her away. "How about we go down to The Leaky Cauldron and bring something back for everyone?" he asked.

"Did you hear what she just said?" Hermione hissed angrily to Harry. "I can't believe she has the nerve to say that when we've all been working our arses off and she's been up here acting like the mistress of the manor."

"Come on," Harry pulled her cloak on for her as they left their new house. "Let's take a walk and you can cool down. Today hasn't gone that badly."

"Okay," she relented taking his hand. "I'm sorry for getting so angry. I should have known better to ask Lavender to help. We might be closer now than we were before the holiday started but she’s still same old Lavender."

Harry pulled her close as they walked down the alley together. The cottage Harry had found for them was in a new area of Diagon Alley called Horizon Alley. "It's all right," he said, his tone still soothing.

Hermione felt her anger ebbing away just being alone with Harry and away from the unorganized mess back at the cottage. "You and my dad sure have been chummy," she said grinning at him.

Harry grinned back. "That we have," he agreed. "He's a great guy."

"I told you so," she said pointedly. "I knew once he got used to the idea of our moving in together he'd be fine. Of course, Mum telling him that you and I would have separate bedrooms probably helped."

"That's what he thinks anyway," Harry kissed the side of her head. "I don't know how he believes it."

Hermione giggled. "You mean we're not going to have separate bedrooms?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "What do you think Hermione Jane?"

"I'm thinking how I can't wait until everyone's gone and we have our new home all to ourselves," she said mischievously.

Harry hugged her. "I'm in agreement with you there," he said. The whole day, every time he'd tried to corner Hermione for a kiss, Robert or Elinore had managed to walk in unknowing as to what their daughter and Harry were up to.

She laughed as he wrapped his arms tightly around her. “Merlin, Harry! You stink!"

"You don't smell like a rose blossom either Hermione," he replied. "Guess this means we'll have to shower together later." Harry said wickedly.

Hermione was about to lean in for a kiss when she heard the door to The Leaky Cauldron open and saw Ron Weasley staring back at them.

"Hey, you guys," he said sheepishly.

Harry glared at his best friend. "Where the bloody fuck have you been Weasley?" he asked angrily.

"Getting lunch, of course," Ron replied, avoiding Harry's gaze.

“For..." Harry looked at his watch. "We sent you two hours ago!"

"I got a little sidetracked," Ron admitted, looking to Hermione for help, but to his dismay, she was staring angrily back at him too. "Come on, Harry. You know how it is. I was just talking to Tom about the latest Cannons game."

Hermione shook her head and stomped inside, while Harry still glared at Ron. "Look..." he began testily. "It's been a really rough day on all of us. Lavender isn't helping, Hermione's angry because we don't have enough done, and I'm just trying to cheer her up all right? Go back to the house. We'll get the food."

"Okay," Ron said, nodding. "Harry, I really am sorry. Luna said she'd come by when she gets through at The Quibbler."

"Fine," Harry was still short as he walked in. He saw Hermione by the bar talking to Tom. He slid his hands over her waist and smiled at the older man. "How are you Tom?" he asked.

"Harry Potter!" Tom said warmly to him. "As I live and breathe. I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. It's been much too long."

"Too right you are," Harry replied. "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Hermione Granger. We're just moving in down over in Horizon Alley and thought we'd drop in for some food."

"Are you really?" Tom asked, looking from Harry to Hermione. "Well, it's lovely to meet you, Hermione. You do realize that you'll have your hands full with this one, don't you?"

Hermione laughed. "I think I can handle him."

Harry nudged her side. "Thanks a lot," he pretended to be indignant.

Tom winked conspiratorially at Hermione. "Tell you what, he gives you any trouble, just let me know. We'll sort him out for you."

Hermione nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Well, in honour of your first night in your new home, how about lunch on the house?" Tom asked with a smile.

"That's nice of you Tom, thank you," Harry smiled. "But we'll need it for a full house of people... maybe we should leave Lavender out of it though?" he teased Hermione.

"As tempting as that is, I know her. We'd better get something for her, too, or risk hearing about it the rest of the day," she said.

They ordered enough food, only letting Tom give them their lunches free and paying for the rest then headed back towards their new house. "Wait a minute," Harry said, setting down their bags.

"What?" Hermione asked pulling a confused face. "Did we forget something?"

"Just this," he pulled her close quickly and kissed her quite passionately.

A few moments later, they pulled breathlessly away from each other and Hermione forgot all about the move, Lavender's laziness and all the mess that waited for them when they got back. "Wow," she whispered as his forehead rested on hers.

"I know," Harry stroked her cheek. "We'll get it all together all right?"

She nodded. "I still can't believe we're here and this is actually happening."

"I know," Harry hugged her tightly. "I love you," he said softly in her ear.

"I love you," she said, grinning at him as he let go of her and bent down to pick the bags up again.

*** *** ***

The long hard day was finally coming to an end and everyone cheered when the last box was brought inside. All that was really left was for Hermione and Harry to sort through everything, but everyone was too knackered to do anything else.

Luna had only managed to stop by for an hour as she had to attend a press conference. Lavender, who hadn't been much help at all, had left nearly two hours ago for a late supper with Seamus.

Hermione and Harry were anxious to be alone, but they didn't want to appear rude especially in front of her parents. Ron was happily munching a bag of crisps on the sofa and Hermione exchanged another longing look at Harry.

Elinore patted her husband's knee. "We should really get going. I've got early appointments tomorrow and I don't want to fall asleep with the drill on."

Robert nodded. He got to his feet, but looked at his daughter with concern. "Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable at home, Hermione? I mean, at least, until you've sorted everything out."

Hermione stood up. "No Dad, trust me I'm perfectly fine here. Remember? Big girl now," she smiled tiredly at her father.

Robert laughed and hugged her. "I keep forgetting that, don't I?"

"Yes," Hermione pecked her father on the cheek then turned to her mother while Harry got up and shook Robert's hand.

"You take good care of my girl, okay?" Robert said sternly. He still wasn't too happy about Hermione moving in with Harry, but he knew that this was what she wanted. He'd nearly lost her this summer and he didn't want to take that chance again. Besides, the more he came to know Harry, the more he liked him.

"I will sir," Harry said nervously. "I hope you'll stop by again soon.”

Hermione left to lead her parents out of Diagon Alley and Harry sat back down on the sofa. "Aren't you tired Ron?" he asked pointedly.

"No," Ron said, shaking his head. "Actually, I feel as if I'm getting my second wind." He offered his bag of crisps to Harry, who shook his head. "To tell you the truth, I'm not in any hurry to get home. Mum's still crying about Ginny moving in with that git Malfoy. And apparently it's all my fault somehow."

"Why is that your fault?" Harry asked, letting his head fall back on the arm of the sofa. "You didn't make Ginny do anything she didn't want to do." he still felt a wave of disgust when he thought about the girl.

Ron shrugged. "I was supposed to look after Ginny, Harry. She was my responsibility and I didn't take it too seriously. Now, Ginny's turned her back on the whole family. I can't help feeling as if it was my fault, Harry."

Harry sat up straight. "Ron... you weren't RESPONSIBLE for her. Ginny's old enough to make her own decisions and she did. Obviously it wasn't the right one." He sat back again. "Do you want me to go to your mum and talk to her about it?"

Ron shook his head. "She wouldn't listen. We've all tried to talk to her, but you know how she's always been about Ginny. Dad says we should just let Mum grieve, as it were, and eventually things will get better."

Harry nodded as he heard the front door open and close and moments later Hermione appeared. "Merlin I'm knackered," she sighed, flopping down next to Harry and curling up next to him.

"Not me," Ron said, leaning back on the sofa. He looked around the room, which was still cluttered with boxes. "You two sure do have your work cut out for you with this lot."

"Thanks Ron," Harry said sarcastically. "We're really looking forward to going to bed right about now," he hinted not so subtly.

Ron got to his feet and Hermione looked triumphantly at Harry, but to her horror, Ron didn't head for the door, but toward the kitchen. "Hey, Hermione? Your daft cousin didn't drink all the pumpkin juice, did she?" he called to her.

"I think she did," Hermione answered. "Maybe you can bring some more over tomorrow?" she said pointedly.

"Found some soda!" Ron called out.

"He's not going to go quietly, is he?" Hermione whispered to Harry.

"No," Harry groaned as he got up. "Hey Ron? We're going to bed," he emphasized his last words.

"Now?" Ron asked. "It's much too early. I was thinking we could play a game of chess or Exploding Snap?"

"Maybe Luna would like to do that," Harry had grabbed Ron's arm and to Hermione's amusement was pulling him into the hallway.

"Harry," Ron said with a laugh. "You know Luna hates both those games. Hey, if I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to get rid of me."

"Then I guess you don't know better," Harry opened the front door.

"So it's like that, is it?" Ron asked indignantly. "You're going to forsake your best friend so you can shag your girlfriend is that it?"

Harry looked past Ron in horror as Robert Granger was staring back at him, obviously having heard everything they'd both just said.

"Elinore forgot her mobile," Robert said quietly.

"Er..." Harry said. "He meant shag rug. Hermione was talking about getting a shag rug and I was trying to talk her out of it."

Robert folded his arms. He didn't look the least bit convinced.

Ron turned around and one look at the foreboding look in Dr. Granger's eyes made him suddenly want to get home as fast as he could. "Must run, Harry," he said quickly. "Give Hermione my regards."

Harry glared at his best friend as he apparated away with a pop. He stared down at the ground, almost too ashamed to meet Robert's gaze.

"Do you mind if I go inside to get my wife's mobile?" Robert asked coolly.

Harry stepped aside as Robert swept past him. He heard Hermione ask what her father was doing there and a moment later the man was striding back down the hallway. "Robert?" he asked as the man was almost out the door.

Robert turned slowly around. "Yes?"

"I love Hermione," Harry said, closing the front door behind him. "I love her more than anything else in the world. I know you're concerned about her well being and trust me, that's my first concern as well."

Robert nodded. "I know you do, Harry. I'm not an idiot. I know that you and my daughter are...that you and my daughter are..."

"I don't want you to be angry with me over that," Harry interrupted, his arms crossed. "I respect Hermione very much. I want you to know that."

"I do," Robert said. "It's no secret that this hasn't exactly been easy on me. She’s my only child, Harry. It's been hard to let go. The only thing I've ever wanted for her was for her to be happy."

He stopped speaking and looked earnestly at Harry before continuing. "You make her happy. And that's good enough for me."

He extended his hand toward Harry.

Harry shook it as a smile spread across his face. "Thank you sir," he said.

"Good night," Robert said with a smile.

"Good night," Harry called. He went inside and locked the door, muttering several charms to keep the bolts in place. "Ahh..." he collapsed on the sofa and grinned. "Finally alone," he said.

"Is everything okay?" Hermione asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Everything's great," Harry pulled her over so she was straddling him.

"You know what would make it even better?" she asked teasingly, tugging at his t-shirt.

"I do," Harry helped her lift it over his head.

Hermione tossed his shirt to the floor and grinned wickedly at him. "You're not too tired, are you?" she whispered into his ear.

"For this?" Harry smirked. "I'm sure I can pull a second wind together for it."

Hermione laughed softly and kissed him full on the mouth. “I still really can’t believe this. Only one month ago we were clearing your name at Hillsdale and leaving, and then now we’re here, living together and no one opposes to it!”

“It’s fantastic,” Harry agreed, tucking a few stray strands of hair behind her ear. “I can’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be right now.”

“Me either,” Hermione said. He brought her down to kiss her again, immediately using his tongue to jet into her mouth, tasting her while his hands pulled her grubby shirt over her head.

Several minutes later, he was clad in his boxers and her in her bra and knickers. “I love you,” she whimpered as Harry rubbed his thumbs over her already erect nipples.

“I love you,” he responded softly as he skilfully unclasped her bra, dropping it to the floor with their other things. His fingers tangled in her hair as they kissed again, Hermione rubbing her lower body over Harry’s, effectively making him groan.

“Time to try out that bed,” he hissed, her legs wrapping around his middle as he carried her upstairs.

Harry cracked open one eye to confront the blurry image of the alarm clock. He thumped it hard with his fist and grabbed his glasses off the nightstand. "Nine thirty," he mumbled, wondering why this morning felt so odd. One glance at the sleeping figure next to him told him why.

Hermione mumbled something unintelligible and turned over. "I'll go back to my cabin in a few minutes," she said sleepily. "Just want to be with you for a few more minutes."

Harry started to laugh. "What cabin?" he teased.

Hermione slowly opened her eyes and saw Harry staring at her with an amused expression on his face. "What are you laughing at?"

"We're home, remember?" Harry nuzzled her ear. "Not at the cabin. We can spend all morning in bed just like we talked about."

Realization dawned on her and she too began to laugh. "I could get used to this," she said huskily snuggling closer to him.

"We have as long as we want to get used to it," Harry drew his arms around her. She sighed and Harry felt like he could easily slip back into sleep, lying just like this.

"At least until next week when our real lives officially begin… I don't know what possessed me to sign up for classes at eight in the morning. And you already said that you have no idea what your hours will be like with training," she said.

"I should find out within the next couple of days," he replied. "I hope we'll at least have the same sort of schedule so we'll be able to see one another enough."

“You'll probably be sick of me by next week," Hermione teased. "I was an absolute horror yesterday, wasn't I?"

"It's all right," Harry chuckled. "Payback time for how rude I was to you."

"You weren't that bad," she said with a giggle.

"Maybe, maybe not," Harry pulled her over on top of him.

"Well, you saw the error of your ways," she said grinning down at him. "That's the important thing."

Harry squeezed her sides and she shrieked. "Funny Granger," he grinned.

He leaned in for a kiss, but Hermione turned her head at the last second so his lips met her cheek instead. When she saw the confused expression on his face, she laughed. "You have morning breath."

Harry smacked her behind. "Then get off me so I can brush my teeth. I want my morning snog."

"I have morning breath too," she said, following him out of bed and into the bathroom. She was suddenly hit again by how...nice this was...how normal it all seemed.

Harry turned the cold water on as he grabbed his toothbrush from the countertop. "We still have so much to do today," he said around a mouth full of paste. "I think Cho said she was going to stop by later, but I don't know how much she can do. She's already six months pregnant."

"She'd be an improvement over Lavender," Hermione said, pulling out her own toothbrush.

Harry laughed as he spat in the sink. "Speaking of Lavender, is the rest of your family coming back today or have they had enough of your attitude?" he teased.

"Very funny," she said, hitting his arm. "What about your friend Ron? Will he be making a return appearance? He could tell my dad more about what you and I do."

Harry shuddered. "That's the last thing I need your father to hear. I managed to cover it up last night..." he shook his head. "I think he and Luna are coming over later today."

Hermione nodded and took Harry's place at the sink and made quick work of brushing her own teeth. As she did so, she caught sight of her bed head in the mirror and winced.

"Do I always look like this in the morning? I can't believe I used to sneak out of your cabin looking like this. I'm lucky no one ever saw me. I'd give them quite a fright."

"I think you look gorgeous," Harry said truthfully.

"Love must be blind," she teased, walking over to him. "You may have your morning snog now."

Harry grinned and wasted no time in pulling his girlfriend to him, his mouth attacking hers. "This may be the only time we have for this all day," he murmured.

"Then we should make the best of it," she said breathlessly. "Don't you think?"

"To the bedroom we go," Harry pulled her out of the loo and back into bed.

2. Chapter 2

A/N: What an awesome response to chapter 1!! We hope this story will live up to any expectations you all might have even if it is away from Hillsdale now.

Please remember when you’re done to leave a review letting us know what you think! Thanks for reading and please enjoy!

Neville had spent most of the morning running errands for his grandmother. While he loved his grandmother, he was tiring of her wanting to control nearly every aspect of his life. He had been saving up to get his own place and with the quid he'd earned at Hillsdale plus the money he'd make when training started, he hoped to get a place big enough for Cho and the baby.

Of course, he hadn't mentioned this to Cho yet, but he knew the small, cramped room she was letting at The Leaky Cauldron was okay for now, but the baby would be here in three months and she'd need the extra space.

Cho let her long black hair loose from the chignon it had been tied back in. She had changed into some jeans and a jumper and now watched in dismay as her flat stomach began to protrude.

Every day she had to work, Cho cast an illusion charm to make it look as if she wasn't pregnant. It was risky- she knew there was a slight, very, very slight chance it could harm her baby so she only did it when she had to be working. She threw her cloak over her shoulders and left the back room and saw Neville waiting near the bar.

"There she is," Neville said with a warm smile when he saw his girlfriend making her way toward him.

"Hey," Cho forced a smile onto her face as Neville kissed her hello. He took her hand and they left the pub. "How was your day?"

"Gran had me running around for her today," he said with a sigh. "I cannot wait until training begins next week and I'm out from under her thumb."

Cho smiled thinly. "And you still want me to meet her," she said. "Neville... I know she's not going to like me."

Neville shook his head in disbelief. "What wouldn't she love about you? You're smart, funny, beautiful, charming. She's going to love you, Cho."

"I hope you're right Neville, I really do." Cho said softly.

"I am," he said, gripping her hand tighter. "How was your day? You did take it easy, didn't you?"

"I tried to," Cho replied, her hand going to massage her aching back. "But we got short staffed yet again and I had to take six extra tables."

Neville stopped walking and dropped her hand. He stared disapprovingly at her. "Cho, I know you hate me saying this, but I think you should quit. Look at you, you're exhausted. This can't be good for you or the baby."

"I can't quit Neville," Cho replied. "You know that. I can hardly afford my place as it is!"

"I'm sure you could ask Harry and Hermione if you could stay with them," Neville suggested.

"I don't want to do that to them," Cho said firmly. "Neville, I know all they want is to be alone and I refuse to freeload off my best friend."

"It wouldn't be freeloading," Neville reasoned. "You know Harry would hate it if he knew you were staying at The Leaky Cauldron in that shoebox of a room they have you in. I wish you'd have told him the truth."

Cho sighed, fighting back tears. Her life had sank so low after leaving Hillsdale that she almost wished she was back there, Dursley abuse and all.

“It's going to be alright," he said softly. When he saw her bottom lip quivering, he pulled her closer. "We'll think of something, okay?"

Cho wrapped her arms around him as a few tears slid down her cheeks. "Okay," she sniffled. "I know you're right... and sooner or later maybe we can do what Harry and Hermione have done and find somewhere nice to live together?"

"You'd really want to do that?" he asked, feeling a wide smile spreading across his face. Of course, it was what he wanted, but she'd never indicated that was what she wanted, too.

"Of course I do," Cho smiled genuinely for the first time that evening.

He felt like turning flips down the sidewalk at her words. He hadn't wanted to tell her his plans until he had enough money saved, but he felt this was the perfect time to tell her what he'd been doing.

"Could we sit for a second?" he asked, leading her over to a bench. "There's something I've wanted to tell you about for awhile now."

Cho sat down next to him, pulling her cloak tighter around her. "What is it Nev?" she asked, her hand squeezing his.

"Well," he began nervously. "I hope you realize how special you are to me. You and the baby mean more to me than you could ever imagine."

Cho was touched. "That's so sweet of you Neville," she said softly. "You mean a lot to me too."

He thought about exactly how he wanted to say this because he didn't want her to think he was trying to pressure her or trying to support her. He knew how important independence was to Cho. It was one of the things he loved most about her.

"I've been saving up for quite some time," he continued. "And I nearly have enough now. I figure with my first couple month’s salary after training, I should have enough to put a good payment down on a place for you, me and the baby."

Cho's jaw dropped and her eyes filled with tears. "You'd really want to do that?" she asked hoarsely.

He nodded. "More than anything in this world."

Cho began to cry in earnest. "Neville I don't really know what to say," she sobbed.

Neville laughed and pulled his handkerchief out of his pocket and offered it to Cho. "I don't know about you, but I'd really love it if you'd say yes."

"Yes," she wiped at her eyes and began to laugh. "Definitely yes."

Neville beamed at her and wrapped her in his arms again, but felt Cho moan softly. He pulled away from her quickly. "What?" he asked concerned. She had a grin on her face, though, and she was rubbing her belly. "What is it?"

"The baby seems to like this idea as well," Cho grabbed his hand. "Here... feel it!" The first time she had felt her baby kick she had squealed in delight and stayed awake most of the night, her hand on her stomach.

Neville laughed heartily as he put his hand on her stomach and indeed felt the baby kick.

"Might have a footballer on our hands," he teased.

"Or just a plain old dancer like its mother," Cho replied.

Neville smiled and got to his feet and offered his hand to help Cho up from her seat. "We better get going or we'll be late."

"And you, young lady, are to do nothing tonight except sit down and eat," he said firmly. "You will not be lifting any boxes or helping move furniture."

"Yes sir," Cho laughed, leaning against him. "Hey Neville?" she asked as they walked up to Harry and Hermione's front door.

"Yeah," he said, turning around and looking expectantly at her.

"You know how you were saying before that me... me and the baby mean so much to you?" she twisted a lock of hair around her finger nervously.

"Yeah," he said softly.

"You mean a lot to me too. You're accepting responsibility for a baby that... you didn't help make yet you don't seem to care." Cho said, even more nervous now.

"I care about both of you," Neville whispered. He wondered what had her so flustered. For a horrible moment, he was afraid she was going to tell him that she saw him like a brother or a friend. "I-I hope you know that by now."

"I do," Cho said softly. "What I'm really getting at here..." she paused and blew a breath out. "I love you Neville."

Neville hadn't heard her. He'd stuffed his hands in his pocket and was looking down at the ground. "You know I'd do anything for you, but if you don't want to..." He looked up suddenly at her and his mouth dropped. "W-what, um, what did you just say?" he asked.

"I love you," Cho said, her voice trembling slightly. What if Neville was only doing this as a sense of duty as a friend and she'd said the completely wrong thing? He never HAD actually come out and said he loved her.

"You...I mean, you really," he choked out. "Love me? Really?"

"Yes," Cho said, still nervous.

Neville felt at a loss for words. He began to pace in front of Cho and then did the first thing that came to his mind as the realization of what she'd said hit him like a ton of bricks. "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" he said at the top of his lungs.

Harry heard a very strange sound as he passed by the front door so he yanked it open, only to see Cho and Neville standing there. Rather- Cho was standing and Neville was doing some strange sort of dance. "Was he hexed?" he asked in bewilderment.

Neville took notice of Harry and before Harry knew what he was doing; Neville had wrapped his arms around Harry and given him a bear hug.

"Hello, Harry!" Neville exclaimed happily.

"Hullo Neville," Harry patted his friend on the back. "Was he hexed?" he asked again, now directing his attention to Cho.

The black haired woman was currently a deep shade of red. "No, he wasn't," she answered.

"She loves me," Neville said motioning to Cho. "Harry! She loves me!"

Harry began to laugh, realising what had Neville so happy. "Congratulations," he said, happy for his friends. He extracted himself from Neville, who latched onto Hermione as she appeared in the hallway and reached for Cho. "I'm really happy for you," he said as he kissed her cheek.

"Thanks Harry," she said softly.

Neville's little celebration came to an end abruptly and he stepped away from Hermione and walked quickly to Cho. "Sorry for getting so carried away," he said with his own cheeks turning red. "I forgot to do something. I forgot to tell you that I love you, too."

Cho blinked back more tears as Neville kissed her full on the mouth. Harry looked back at Hermione, who quite literally had stars in her eyes.

"That's the sweetest thing I've ever seen," Hermione gushed.

Harry turned and glared at her. "How come you never got this happy when I tell you I love you?" he asked, pretending to be hurt.

Hermione hit him playfully on the arm as she dropped her voice to a whisper so only he would hear. "I seem to recall that right after you first told me you loved me, we slept together for the first time."

Harry grinned. "I stand corrected," he slipped an arm around her and squeezed as Neville and Cho finally finished their celebratory snog and came inside. "About time you two came up for air," he teased.

"Leave them alone, Harry," Hermione said, leading the happy couple into the kitchen.

Cho sighed in relief as she massaged her aching feet. "You don't by chance have any pumpkin juice do you?" she asked sheepishly. "I didn't really get a chance to eat today; it was so busy at work."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," Neville said.

Cho looked at him. "I know, I know..." she said and shrank into her seat as Harry and Hermione turned around with their arms crossed as well. “But remember- my boss doesn't know I'm pregnant! He'd fire me if he saw how big my stomach really was!" she pulled her cloak off to let her belly show.

Harry glared at Neville. "I thought you were looking out for her!"

"Harry stop it," Cho replied. "It's me, not him all right?"

"Don't think I'm not angry at you, too," Harry said scornfully. "I still believe you shouldn't be on your feet all the time. You shouldn't be working at all. Don't roll your eyes at me, Cho! You know that I'm right."

"How else am I supposed to make a living Harry?" Cho snapped. "I can't dance, not like this! And that's all I know how to do okay? THAT'S ALL!"

"Hey!" Hermione said, getting in front of Harry. "This is supposed to be a happy occasion, remember? We've moved in together...Cho and Neville are together. Let's not ruin it with you going into overprotective mode, okay?"

Harry glared at her momentarily but at the look in her eyes calmed down. "All right," he muttered. "I'm sorry."

"Okay," Hermione said in relief. "What's everyone drinking?"

"Pumpkin juice for me if you have any, if not, just water would be fine." Cho replied. Harry and Neville opted for some butterbeer.

Neville took the opportunity to look around the room. "You guys sure managed to get quite a bit done," he said. "This place is really starting to take shape."

Harry nodded, pleased. "Hermione's parents were here and helped us set up a lot," he said. "I've just been working on the bedroom and Hermione's in the study setting up her five million books."

Hermione brought a basket of rolls over to the table and glared at her boyfriend. "I don't have that many! He's still mad because I dropped a boxful on his foot earlier today."

Neville and Cho laughed loudly as Harry glowered at his girlfriend. "It weighed a ton," he grumbled. "It still hurts too."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It's his own fault for coming up behind me and scaring me like he did."

"Next time I want to try and be romantic I'll think again," Harry quipped, taking a long draw from his butterbeer mug.

"Where are Ron and Luna?" Neville asked a few moments later. "I thought they were coming tonight, too."

Cho frowned. "I haven't seen them since we left Hillsdale," she said. "What are they up to?"

"Ron's working for his brothers," Hermione related. "And Luna's working for her dad. We haven't seen too much of her since we got back. And Ron's trying to stay away from home as much as possible."

"The whole Ginny situation has really taken its toll," Harry affirmed. "Molly is blaming Ron for it and he's really taken the brunt of her anger about the situation."

Cho shook her head. "I can't believe she's blaming Ron for that. It's not his fault her daughter turned out to be a lying, deceitful cow."

Harry laughed, as did Neville. "It'll just take awhile for her to see that Ron only did what he had to do."

"Did we ever find out where Ginny ended up?" Hermione asked. "I still can't believe your uncle just let her and Malfoy walk away like that."

"Just that she's staying with Malfoy," Neville replied. "Rather, living with him. And I'm supposing that Dursley decided since he let Harry 'walk away' from the situation he gave them the same chance. Heard Malfoy and Ginny had to give a rather big chunk out of their summer pay to cover what they used up for themselves."

"Well, if two people were ever made for each other," Hermione said with a wry laugh. "Talk about your match made in hell."

The rest of them laughed and Harry and Neville took off for the bedroom while Hermione and Cho stayed in the kitchen so they could grab a bite to eat. "So how is it living with Harry?" the black haired girl asked.

A dreamy expression came over Hermione's face as she remembered their first night in their new home and a smile broke across her face as she recalled how they'd lingered in bed this morning. "Terrible," she deadpanned.

"What?" Cho was shocked. "Is he still mood swinging? Is he that angry over you dropping books on his foot?"

Hermione laughed. "No, I was being sarcastic. It's been great. We've had a row or two about where we should put a table or a chair, but other than that it's been fantastic."

Cho shook her head. "You shouldn't scare me like that Hermione."

"Sorry about that," Hermione said. "I still have to pinch myself to make sure this isn't all a dream. It wasn't too long ago that I didn't think we'd make it here with everyone against us. But you should have seen Harry and my dad last night, Cho. They were helping each other and joking around. I had to fight the urge to scream out 'I told you so'. I knew my dad would like Harry if given the chance."

Cho started laughing. "It's quite amazing really. I just really hope that Neville's Gran and I have the same sort of fate as your dad and Harry."

"You haven't met her yet?" Hermione asked.

Cho sighed as Hermione set some sandwiches down in front of them. "No..." she said. "Neville wants me to but I remember seeing her at the platform for the train we'd all get on to go to school. Any time a girl would even approach Neville she'd swat at them with this huge umbrella. She's small but really, really scary."

'"Maybe it won't be as bad as you think," Hermione said reassuringly. "Neville's an adult now. Surely, she's not as bad now as she was then."

"I don't know," Cho said, unconvinced as she gobbled down a sandwich.

Hermione was about to reply when she heard the front door open and close and a few seconds later Ron and Luna appeared in the kitchen. Without as much as a hello, Ron helped himself to one of the sandwiches.

"Hello, Ron," Hermione said with a laugh. "Nice to know that you still don't remember to knock."

"Hi," Ron said, his mouth full as Luna shook her head and handed Hermione a bottle of wine.

"I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to stay and help last night," the blonde said.

Hermione waved her hand dismissively. "How was the press conference?"

"Fine," Luna sat down. "There's a good chance I'll be getting a better position in the newspaper already!"

"That's great," Hermione said happily. At that moment, Ron belched rather loudly, earning him disgusted looks from all three girls.

"Ron, Harry and Neville are in the bedroom trying to put together the shelves for the closet," Hermione said. "Why don't you go help them?"

"Okay," Ron grabbed two more sandwiches and headed out; the three girls burst into laughter behind him.

"I don't know where he puts it all," Hermione said watching him walk into the bedroom. "I've never in my entire life seen someone eat like he does."

"We get a lot of exercise," Luna smiled dreamily.

Cho wrinkled her nose. "That's entirely too much information Luna."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed, trying not to laugh. She motioned toward the bedroom. "So what do you reckon that lot in there is doing? Talking about us?"

"So Harry, what happened last night after I left?" Ron stuffed the remaining half sandwich in his mouth.

"You mean after I practically had to shove you out the door?" Harry asked crossly. "Or when you asked and pardon me for paraphrasing here, if I was showing you the door so I could shag my girlfriend...all as said girlfriend's father was standing right behind you. Or do you mean when you left me to face his wrath all by myself? Which one were you referring to?"

Ron gulped down his food. "All of the above?"

"All that happened last night?" Neville asked, staring disapprovingly at Ron.

"Yeah," Harry said nodding. "But with no thanks to him, everything worked out okay."

"I knew you'd be able to handle it," Ron smiled confidently at his friend.

"Nice to know I can rely on you when my back's to the wall, Ron," Harry said sarcastically. "Maybe I need to encourage Mr. Lovegood to drop by his daughter's flat unexpectedly one night. See if you can handle it, too."

Ron glared at him. "You interrupted us enough when we were back at Hillsdale."

"Fair enough," Harry said with a laugh. "Fair enough."

"You guys really got a lot done today," Ron said as Harry started hanging some of Hermione's clothes in the closet while Neville polished off the antique dresser set they'd bought.

"Thanks," Harry said. "How are things at home?"

"Same as ever," Ron replied as he started dusting off the other dresser set. "Mum actually talked to me today even though it was to pass the salt at lunch when we went home for food. Dad's been trying to tell her that it wasn't my fault about Ginny but it seems she's having none of it."

"Are you sure you don't want us to vouch for you?" Neville asked. "Better yet, Harry... would it be at all possible to ask Dursley to talk to Mrs. Weasley?"

"Are you mad?" Harry asked. "Dursley wouldn't dare do something like that unless there wasn't something in it for him. The word 'selfless' isn't in his vocabulary. Besides, you heard him when we all left. Dear old Uncle Vernon said he never wanted to see me or my kind at his resort ever again."

"Rats," Ron muttered. "Well... I guess Dad's right whenever he says Mum will come around eventually. It's just hard to stay around there when she's always mad at me."

"Why don't you move out then?" Harry asked. "Surely Fred and George would let you crash with them until you had enough for your own place."

"Right, and be the brunt of all their jokes?" Ron snickered. "Harry, surely you haven't forgotten being in Gryffindor with them?"

Harry shuddered as he remembered all too well what Fred and George were capable of. "Sorry, momentarily lapse of intelligence there," he said. "I'd offer to have you move in with us, but you'd eat us out of house and home."

Neville started laughing. "That goes double for me, especially since I'm still living at Gran's."

"What about Luna's?" Harry suggested.

Ron looked at the door furtively. "Do you guys promise to keep a secret?" he asked seriously.

Harry and Neville looked at each other and then at Ron before nodding.

"I'm trying to save up enough money to get us a place of our own," Ron said. "I've even had to offer to be Fred and George's guinea pig for all their new jokes so I can get a bonus plus a share of the profits if it does well."

"It must be love if you're willing to go that far," Harry teased. He patted his friend heartily on the back. "That sounds great."

"Thanks," Ron said, relieved. "I've been saving up as much as I can and I've still got a ways to go."

"You know your mum won't be too thrilled about that either," Harry cautioned. When he saw the look on Ron's face, he quickly explained what he meant. "I'm the last person to advise you on this, I realize that, but I know your mum. She's still trying to get over the whole Ginny fiasco and I can still hear her yelling when Bill and Fleur moved in together."

Ron found himself laughing. "And now when they come over with their ten children she can't get enough of them."

"There you go Ron," Neville encouraged. "Knock Luna up and your mum will forgive you!"

Hermione cleared her throat as she watched Ron hurl a sock at Neville's head. All three boys turned slowly to look at her. "Having fun?" she asked.

"Tons," Harry moved to her side. "Just finishing up with your things."

Hermione gaped at him. "You hung up my clothes?"

"Yeah," Harry looked suddenly worried. "Did I do it right? Did you want those in the drawers or something?"

She shook her head still in awe of what he'd done. She'd seen how he'd kept his cabin and she'd been afraid to see what he'd do to her belongings if left alone for too long. That was why she'd come into the bedroom to check on him. She hadn't expected this at all.

She walked over to Harry and knelt down so she was right behind him. She wrapped her arms around his neck. "It's perfect," she whispered.

Harry grinned. "One point for me," he said softly, forgetting Ron and Neville were in the room.

"I'd say that deserves a lot more than one point," she said, nuzzling his neck.

Harry pulled her around so she was in front of him. "Guys..." he suddenly caught sight of his friends. “Give us a minute?"

"Of course," Neville said scrambling to his feet and taking Ron with him. They closed the door firmly behind them.

"Look what he gets just for putting her clothes away," Ron said as they went down the hallway.

"If it gets us out of manual labour, I'm all for it," Neville said with a laugh. "I think our work here is done...at least for tonight anyway."

He and Cho ducked out a few minutes later as Luna pulled on her cloak. “Ron… would you like to go have dinner somewhere?” she asked, pulling her long blonde ponytail over her shoulder.

“I uh… I don’t have any money on me,” Ron lied. “How about we go back to my house or your flat? I can teach you some chess moves.”

Luna smiled. “I don’t really like chess Ron, you know that.” She said, her eyes fixated on his face.

“Well… uh… maybe my Mum will have something made already,” he said.

"It's kind of late," Luna said, looking at her watch. "It would probably be quicker if we just got a bite in town, don't you think?"

"You know, I'm actually quite tired," Ron stretched and faked a yawn.

"I've never known you to turn down a meal," she said looking at him with concern. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine," Ron said quickly. "I just... can't enjoy food when I'm tired."

Luna nodded, but still looked unconvinced. "Did you want to stay at my place tonight then?"

"Uh... sure," Ron grinned. Staying at Luna's was always a good idea, as it got him out of his mother's hair for the night, plus he didn't have to spend any of the money he was saving up. "That sounds fantastic to me."

Luna stared at her boyfriend for a moment. One minute he was hungry and the next he was saying he was too tired to eat. Now within less than a minute, he seemed energized and happy. She couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't being entirely truthful with her. "When we get back to my place, I could make you a sandwich," she asked hesitantly. "If you're not too tired that is."

"I'm never too tired to eat," Ron said, putting his arm around her, then suddenly realised his mistake. "Not for one of your sandwiches anyway," he gave her his best smile and leaned in for a kiss.

Luna gave a weak smile before allowing him to kiss her. He took her hand and they began walking down the street in silence, each seemingly lost in their own thoughts. Never too tired to eat, he'd said. Not two minutes ago, he'd said he was too tired to go out to eat. She tried to shake these thoughts from her mind, but it seemed impossible.

3. Chapter 3

A/N: Here’s an update for you guys! Sorry there isn’t a better authors note but I (Heaven) am off to work in 5 min and Amy’s already there but we wanted to update!

Please R/R and enjoy!!!

Seamus liked Lavender's aunt and uncle. They seemed to be quite reasonable people (despite Robert's earlier misgivings about Harry) and it was quite obvious they cared very much about their niece. As he was bringing Lavender home after dinner, Elinore had invited him for some hot chocolate before leaving. Currently they were sitting on the sofas in the living room.

"So it must be a mite quieter around here now that Hermione's living with Harry, aye?" he asked. "Heard their house is quite lovely."

Robert laughed. "I expect it will be once they get everything sorted and put away."

Lavender stretched her legs. "I would go and help them but Hermione is always giving me dirty looks when I sit down for five minutes."

Robert looked at his niece with an amused expression. "Lavender, let's be honest. You did sit down for more than five minutes."

"All right, ten." Lavender shot her uncle a look. Seamus laughed and squeezed her hand.

"We'll have to go over for dinner soon. I haven't seen the place yet." he commented.

"Maybe it'd be best if you waited awhile," Robert suggested. He knew all too well how stressful l moving in had been for his daughter. Adding Lavender to the mix again would be like adding oil to water. "Perhaps the four of you could go out for a night on the town or something like that."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Seamus replied. He glanced at his watch and sighed. "I've got an early class tomorrow so I'd best get going." He stood up and shook the Grangers' hands. "Lovely to see you both again," he smiled.

Elinore grinned at the young man. "Don't be a stranger, Seamus."

"I won't I promise," Seamus replied. He looked at Lavender. "Walk me out?"

"Sure," she said, getting to her feet. She took his hand and led him toward the front door. She closed it firmly behind her and looked at him and couldn't help smiling.

"Lavender..." Seamus said. "I'm really glad we met at Hillsdale. This past month getting to know you has been fantastic."

"It's been nice for me too," she said quietly. She couldn't quite figure Seamus out. He wasn't like any of the boys she'd dated before. She always knew what they wanted, but with him, she wasn't quite sure. The one thing she did know was that he was the nicest, sweetest and most charming boy she'd met in ages.

Seamus leaned forward and kissed her gently. He could feel her hesitation, hesitation she'd had since they first started seeing each other. He knew she'd been incredibly hurt by what Draco Malfoy had done to her, more hurt than she'd let on to anyone. Seamus wanted badly for Lavender's wall to crumble, to let him through, but he would never push her.

"It's getting late," she said, pulling away from him. "I have an early start tomorrow, too."

"Right," Seamus gave her one more kiss. "Do you want to have dinner again tomorrow? Or do you want to see a movie?"

"I don't know when I'll get away from work," she said, avoiding meeting his gaze. "You wouldn't want to wait around for me."

"Why wouldn't I?" Seamus asked.

She shrugged. In her past experience with dating, she'd always had to schedule her time around the boy and what he wanted to do and when he could get together. She couldn't tell Seamus that, though.

"I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than to hang out at a dress shop for me."

"That's silly," Seamus took her hand. "I want to spend as much time as possible with you." He drew her closer to him. "I like you a lot, Lavender."

"You do?" she couldn't stop herself from asking.

"Yes, I do." Seamus replied.

"That's nice," she said without even thinking. When she saw the hurt expression come over his face, she felt terrible.

"Look..." Seamus decided to be straight out. "If I'm moving too fast, or if you don't feel the same way I do, then I understand if you want to cool it." he kissed her cheek. "If you decide you want to be with me... ring me or come over. I'll be waiting." he turned and started walking down the street.

Lavender hesitated only a moment before calling out to him. "Seamus! Wait!"

Seamus turned around as she raced up to him and kissed him fully on the mouth.

When they pulled away from each other a few moments later, Lavender stared at him.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly.

"For what?" he asked, his arms around her waist.

"For being like I am sometimes," she said with a laugh. "I'm not used to this."

Seamus tucked a strand of her silky hair behind her ear. "I'm not a bad guy like Malfoy, I promise." he said softly.

"He really hurt me," she said looking away from him. "I opened myself up to him like I never had to anyone before and he was just using me."

Seamus hugged her and was pleased to feel her arms go around him. "I'll never do that to you," he said.

"I want to believe you," she said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"What can I do to make you believe me then?" Seamus asked.

"I don't know," Lavender said honestly. She broke free from his embrace and looked up at him. "But I do like you, Seamus. Very much. I'm afraid you're just going to have to be patient with me."

"That I can do," He smiled back down at her.

She beamed back at him. "I, um, have lunch tomorrow at one," she said nervously. "If you want, we could have lunch together or something."

"Sounds good to me. I'll meet you at the shop? You can pick the place we eat." Seamus still held her close.

"Sushi?" she suggested, knowing full well it was the food he hated most in the world.

He turned a slight green colour but held his smile bravely. "If that's what you want..."

"I'm just teasing," she said with a laugh. "I wouldn't make you eat that again."

Seamus relaxed. "Bugger that then."

She giggled. "I'll surprise you tomorrow then."

Seamus kissed her goodbye and watched as Lavender ran back to her house. He felt like jumping for joy right there on the sidewalk as he thought about the next day.

*** *** ***

Since they were both getting a severe case of cabin fever, Hermione was glad Harry suggested a trip into Diagon Alley. They'd both needed to pick up supplies. Harry needed to stock up for his Auror training which would begin in a couple days time and Hermione wanted to purchase some books for her classes that would begin soon after.

After a quick bite to eat at one of the pubs, they'd gone their separate ways. Hermione knew the last thing Harry wanted to do was spend his afternoon watching her peruse books and he knew the last thing she wanted to do was browse through Quality Quidditch Supplies checking out the latest racing brooms.

Harry grew bored looking at the brooms, especially since he didn't need a new one and decided after about a half hour of standing around that he'd go help Hermione out with her schoolbooks. Knowing her, she'd probably have at least three armfuls to carry back- for each of them.

True to form, Hermione had lost herself in the stacks of books. She felt like the proverbial kid in the candy store. One of the things she loved most about book shops was the fact that you could always find something new and different and fascinating. Ostensibly, she was there to purchase schoolbooks, but she couldn't help getting sidetracked. The basket at her feet now had as many books she wanted to read for fun as books she had to have for university.

She had just put another book in her basket when she felt someone's eyes on her. She stifled a grin as she heard a familiar laugh. She pulled some books off the shelf and saw a familiar pair of green eyes staring back at her.

"You're going to have to work on the sneaking up on people thing before you start training," she teased. "I spotted you right away."

Harry hugged her from behind. "It just goes to show that I know you better than I thought. I had a feeling there would be armloads of books for you to carry back." He grinned saucily at her.

"There's not that many," she said defensively. "And what do you mean for me to carry back? One of the reasons I had you come with me was for you to carry them back."

"Hey!" Harry said. "Why do I have to do all the work?"

"Because you love me and would do anything for me?" she suggested.

Harry made a face. "You've got me there," he grumbled playfully. He was leaning in for a kiss when Hermione let out a loud gasp and pulled herself from his embrace. Harry was left staring after her as she made a beeline for a guy on the other side of the shop.

"Gordon!" she squealed excitedly and ran into the arms of a rather tall man with short, sandy blonde hair and an athletic build. He embraced her warmly and spun her around. "I haven't seen you in ages!" she said with a laugh as he put her back on her feet.

Harry glared as she laughed at the guy's response. He grabbed her basket of books, grimacing as he carried it over to them. "Here are your schoolbooks," he said, unceremoniously dumping them at her feet and narrowly missing the blond's toes.

"Thanks, Harry," she said with an absent glance at him. She quickly turned her attention back to Gordon. "How long has it been? The last time I saw you was right before you transferred schools our third year."

"Quite awhile, but I'd recognise you anywhere Hermione," the man said warmly. "You look as gorgeous as you ever did."

Harry gave a not so subtle cough and Hermione suddenly seemed to remember who he was and why he was there.

"Oh," she said sheepishly. She grabbed Harry's hand and gave him an apologetic smile. "Harry, this is Gordon Devereaux. We went to Beauxbatons together. Gordon, this is Harry."

"Nice to meet you," Harry stuck his hand out and the other man shook it, both eyeing and sizing the other up. "I'm Hermione's boyfriend."

"Uh-huh," Gordon said dismissively. Gordon eyed Hermione appraisingly. "I should have figured she'd have landed someone by now. You were always too pretty to stay unattached for long, Hermione."

Hermione hit Gordon playfully on the arm. "You're just saying that! He was always a sweet talker back at Beauxbatons, Harry."

"I see," Harry remained unimpressed. "Have you got all your books Hermione? I'm quite tired and want to go home and rest." he stressed the word home and hoped this Gordon bloke would get the hint and leave.

"How are your parents, Hermione?" Gordon asked, ignoring Harry. "I should really stop in and see them since I'm back in London."

“They're fine. Lavender's still at home living with them," Hermione answered. "What brings you back here anyway?"

"I'm starting classes next week," he said with a grin. "First year at university. How about you?"

"Same here!" Hermione squealed. "This is fantastic, it'll be like the old days at Beauxbatons!"

Harry coughed again. "Are you sure you have all your books Hermione?"

"If you tell me you have a concentration in Charms and Transfiguration, I'll swear it's kismet that we found each other again after all this time," he said with a chuckle.

"I do," Hermione answered breathlessly, thrilled to know someone who was as serious about studying as her in the same classes.

"Fantastic," Gordon said, pushing past Harry and taking Hermione's arm. "Hey, if you're not too busy, why don't we grab a bite to eat and catch up?"

"We are busy," Harry was getting angry that he had been standing there well over ten minutes while they bantered. "Quite busy, as a matter of fact." he pulled her arm away and settled his hand on her waist.

"Oh," Gordon said, finally acknowledging Harry's presence. "Some other time, then?"

"Yeah," Hermione said, stifling the anger that rose in her at Harry's attitude. "It was really great to see you again, Gordon."

She watched as Gordon finally walked away. She shrugged out of Harry's hold on her.

"What was that all about?" she asked him.

"He was hitting on you," Harry replied shortly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He was not."

"Yes he was," Harry replied, lifting her basket of books up now in his anger as if it weighed nothing. "It's fine if you want to be friends, Hermione, I have no problems with that. I won't order you around. But if he's going to flirt with you, I'm damn well going to say something about it!"

Hermione wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all. "He wasn't flirting with me, Harry. I haven't seen him since I was 14 years old. I was just glad to see an old friend. That's all. You have nothing to be worried about."

Harry relaxed but his eyebrows knit together. "I trust you. I don't trust that guy. Not one bit."

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "You don't have to worry about Gordon Devereaux or anyone else for that matter. I'm with the only person I want to be with."

Harry finally cracked a smile. "All right," he sneaked a quick kiss on the lips. "Come on... let's go get these back to the house."

She nodded hoping she'd assuaged his doubts. She couldn't believe he actually thought Gordon was interested in her. Gordon was just an old friend; nothing more, nothing less.

"What did you want to do tonight on one of your last nights of freedom?" she asked.

"Do you really need to ask me that?" Harry asked as he pretended to stagger back at the cost of her books.

"Well, I didn't want to just assume," she said, hitting him on the arm. She watched as he pulled some money from his wallet. "You don't have to buy my books, Harry."

"That's all right," he grinned at her. "You can pay me back later Granger."

"I knew there was a catch," she teased. A few minutes later, she and Harry were about to walk out the door when she saw Gordon toting his own books toward the cashier.

"It was really nice to see you again, Hermione," he called out to her.

"You too!" she responded, happy to see Harry nod cordially and not grab her possessively. “Good boy,” she teased as they left the store.

“The things I do for you, Hermione,” he sighed, shaking his head.

*** *** ***

Harry sat back and patted his stomach. "Tom and his house elves sure do make a good lunch," he said, quite satisfied with his beef stew and fresh baked bread. He was only too happy to oblige when Neville said he wanted to eat there. "How was yours?"

"Good," Neville agreed. He leaned back in his chair. "Do we have to go back this afternoon? That entire morning session nearly wore me out."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. "Auror training is harder than I thought." He shook his head. "Not that I'm really complaining. I can't believe when I bloody walked in there they told me I didn't need to train- that I'd battled enough Dark Wizards to bypass it all." He bit into the last roll. "I hate when people think that just because I'm Harry Potter means that I know everything there is to know."

"Did you see the look on that wizard's face when you told him if it was all the same to him you'd like to continue with everyone else," Neville said laughing. "He nearly fainted!"

Harry laughed as well, even though that sort of thing really did bother him. "At least I have favouritism," he teased.

"I keep waiting for them to come and tell me they made a mistake and I should just pack it in and go home," Neville admitted.

Harry shook his head. "I don't know why you hang to that old mentality. If I recall correctly, you were ready to fight Voldemort right alongside of me, even though it was me who was marked."

"Old habits die hard," Neville said with a shrug. "Besides, I don't exactly look like the hero type, now do I?"

"Do I?" Harry asked pointedly.

"More than me," Neville said simply. "Come on, Harry. Name one thing that you don't do well."

Harry thought for a moment. "I'm not good with tact," he finally said.

"That's the best you can do?" Neville asked laughing.

Harry snorted. "For now it is," he replied. "How's Cho doing anyway? I haven't seen her in a few days. Thought she might have stopped by before now."

"She's doing well," Neville said, smiling just thinking about her. "She's eating well...at least some of the things she's eating are...well, let's just say the everyday person would find disgusting. These are things that even Ron would turn his nose up at, Harry."

"That's pretty bad," Harry shuddered, remembering his friend's fondness for pancakes and jelly slugs. "Where's she staying? Every time I ask her she changes the subject."

"Um," Neville said, looking down at the table. "Maybe we should get back."

"Neville," Harry leaned forward. "I need to know this all right? She's my best friend. I care about her, and about her baby, almost as much as you do."

"I know you do, Harry," Neville said quietly. "But, she doesn't want you to know. I gave her my word I wouldn't tell you, okay?"

Harry sighed in frustration. "She doesn't want me to know," he muttered.

"No," Neville said. "And I hope you'll accept that. She doesn't need any more stress. I hope it's enough for you to know that I'm looking out for her."

"I know that Neville." Harry said, his green eyes starting to flash. "But I have a feeling you're hiding something, not just withholding information."

Neville sighed. He never could fool Harry. He didn't know why he even tried. "Ron's not the only one saving up to get a place of his own," Neville admitted.

Harry sat back. "Tell me." he urged. "Please Neville. If she gets mad I'll tell her it was me; that I forced you to tell me."

"She's staying at The Leaky Cauldron," Neville finally admitted.

"What?" Harry asked. "She's staying HERE?"

"She has been since we got back from Hillsdale," Neville continued. "It's the only place she could afford."

Harry blew out a breath he had been holding. "I can't believe this... why wouldn't she come to me? She knows I would gladly let her stay with Hermione and me!"

"You know how independent she's always been," Neville said. "She knows you and Hermione want to be alone now. You know as well as I do that she wouldn't have accepted even if you had offered."

"I do want to be alone with Hermione, but that's besides the point. Cho should be staying with friends and not in a room at an inn." Harry pushed his hair back with his hands, exposing his scar. At that sight, several witches sitting at the bar began to chatter in excitement. "Come on," Harry said hurriedly. They tossed a few Galleons on the table and left the pub.

"I've been saving up," Neville said as they walked out the door. "I just about have enough to put some money down on a flat for us."

"Let me help you," Harry said instantly.

Neville stopped in his tracks. "I appreciate your offer, Harry, but I want to do this on my own."

"Just a loan," Harry replied.

"I want to do this on my own, Harry," Neville repeated. "Can't you for once let someone else be the hero?" As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he regretted them. He hadn't meant for it to come out that way.

Harry was about to get angry when he realised how true Neville's words were. "All right," he relented. "Just promise me you'll come to me if you need any help."

"I will," Neville said solemnly, glad that his friend wasn't angry. "I do appreciate the offer, Harry."

"Sure," He smiled. "That's my best friend you're looking after. Who would I be if I didn't get overprotective once in awhile?"

"Malfoy?" Neville answered.

Harry stared open-mouthed at him as Neville began to laugh. "Just joking," Neville said.

They walked a little further down the street and Neville pulled a piece of folded parchment from his trousers pocket.

"Did you see this schedule?" Neville asked, looking at it with a frown. "I guess we can pretty much kiss any free time we had goodbye."

Harry nodded. "As long as we've got September 19th free."

"What's so special about that day?" Neville asked confused.

"It's Hermione's birthday," Harry answered. "Since it's her first one since we've been together I want to make it extra special for her."

Neville frowned. "I hate to break it to you, but we won't be anywhere near London then."

"What?" Harry grabbed the schedule away. "I thought I saw that we had that weekend off!"

"No," Neville said shaking his head. "We'll be in Florence. Tactical manoeuvres training. Unless you can fit her in your pocket, she's going to be alone on her birthday."

Harry was seeing red. Now especially he wanted to be with Hermione, after seeing that Gordon idiot at the bookshop a few days before. "DAMMIT!" he cursed loudly.

"Hermione will understand," Neville said, trying to be helpful.

"I hope so," Harry sighed. "I had wanted to surprise her with something."

"Like what?" Neville asked.

"I'm not sure. Dinner, a party..." Harry shrugged. "Guess that's not going to happen now."

"I'll tell Cho and maybe she and Luna can throw a party for her or something," Neville suggested. "Maybe she'd like that."

"She'd probably enjoy that," Harry sighed as they got back to the Ministry building. How on earth was he going to tell Hermione he would be gone on her birthday weekend?

4. Chapter 4

A/N: Here’s another chapter for you guys’ enjoyment! We do hope you like it and please leave a review when you’re finished so we know what you are thinking- what you like and what you don’t ;)

Happy reading!!!

It was nearly midnight when Harry finally made it back to the flat. He was knackered from another marathon session of training. A couple of his fellow trainees wanted to go to a pub afterwards, but he'd begged off. He hadn't seen much of Hermione in the past week. She'd started classes and spent most of her time at school or in the library. He'd only seen her in passing and as a result hadn't yet had the chance to break the news to her about her birthday.

He opened the door slowly and was relieved to see the lights were still on inside the sitting room. He was even more delighted to see Hermione lying on the couch wrapped in a blanket and fast asleep. She'd obviously been waiting up for him and the sight of her lightened his mood considerably.

He slipped his cloak off and walked slowly over to her and softly kissed her forehead.

"Harry..." she mumbled as her eyes cracked open. "Hi..." she whispered.

"Hey sleepyhead," he said softly.

"What time is it?" she asked, a smile on her face as her arms wrapped around his neck.

"Almost midnight," he said yawning.

"Mmm and you're just getting home?" Hermione asked, planting a lazy kiss on the corner of his mouth as Harry lifted her up.

He nodded as he carried her toward the bedroom. "And I get to do it all again tomorrow at the arse crack of dawn."

"Awww...." Hermione hugged him tighter. "What if I don't let you go? I miss you Harry."

"I miss you, too," he said, setting her gently down on the bed. She leaned in for a kiss, but he pulled away.

"What?" Hermione asked. "Harry!"

He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "I'm afraid it's not going to get any better, Hermione. I've got three more years of this."

Hermione sighed. "We'll make it work out Harry." she reached out for him and he fell onto the bed next to her, both of them still fully clothed.

He caressed her cheek with his hand. "I don't know what I did to deserve you," he whispered.

Hermione leaned into his palm. "Because I love you and you love me so much," she replied softly, leaning in again. This time he didn't move away when she kissed him, wrapping his arm around her waist instead.

"There's something else," he said breathlessly. "There's something else I need to tell you."

"What?" she asked, kissing down his neck while her fingers ran repeatedly through his hair.

He gently pushed her away and sat up. "If you keep doing that, I'll never be able to tell you this."

"What is it?" Hermione finally saw the serious look in his eyes. "Harry tell me!" she insisted when he paused.

"It's about your birthday," he began.

"What about it?" Hermione had actually forgotten about it due to her busy schedule.

"We've got tactical manoeuvres that weekend," he said quickly.

"Oh..." Hermione looked down. "Well... you've got to do what you have to Harry. It's okay," her voice was slightly downcast and Harry lifted her chin.

"No, it's not," he said softly. "It's not okay."

"It's your training Harry," Hermione replied. "That's more important than some silly day."

"Nothing is more important to me than you," he said, cupping her face in his hands and gently kissing her.

Hermione responded eagerly, his touch something she had been missing during the past week. "I love you so much Harry," she whimpered softly when his hands began to brush over her body.

"I love you," he said huskily, positioning himself on top of her. He began to trail warm kisses down her neck.

Hermione arched her back as Harry's fingers slid under her shirt and began to pull it up over her head. She knew they both needed sleep but she needed him more at that moment than anything else.

Harry brought his mouth back to hers and they exchanged slow, lazy, drugging kisses. Their clothing was pulled away and thrown to the floor as Harry’s hands cupped her breasts, rolling her nipples between his fingers while they continued to kiss.

Hermione let out another whimper as Harry’s fingers pushed inside of her. “Need all of you Harry, please,” she begged.

He removed his fingers and stroked her cheek. “I love you,” he said again, his voice barely audible as he pushed his way inside her.

She moaned in pleasure as they made love until they were both trembling from the extent of their passion. Harry pulled up the sheet over their naked bodies as Hermione curled up in his arms.

“Harry?” she asked as she was about to drift off.

“Hmm?” He asked.

“It doesn’t really matter about my birthday Harry I swear.” Hermione yawned. “I even forgot about it until you reminded me.”

“Are you sure?” Harry didn’t even open his eyes; he was far too exhausted.

“Positive.” Hermione answered. “Just come back to me and we’ll… celebrate another time…” she was nearly asleep by now.

“Okay,” Harry mumbled. “I’ll…make it… up to… you… later….” He barely finished his sentence before they both fell into a deep, satisfied slumber.

*** *** ***

Ron sighed as his mother began yet another tirade on how he should have taken better care of his sister. "Look Mum, I can't control what Ginny does okay? Why don't you find her and ask her why she did what she did? All I did was help everyone see the truth. Otherwise she'd still probably be living with Malfoy and they'd be stealing things for their bloody palace." he snapped.

Molly, however, didn't seem to hear a word Ron said. She was doing what she normally did when she was upset, which was cook. She was stirring a bowl of cookie dough and tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of her only daughter. "I just wish she'd contact us," Molly said morosely. "I'd feel so much better if I just knew where she was."

"She's fine Mum," Ron said, rolling his eyes. "Honestly, if she cared about us she'd contact us. Even I want to see her again to know if she's fine. But it's up to Ginny!"

Molly nodded. She looked at her son and felt her anger subside somewhat. She knew it wasn't Ron's fault, but she'd needed someone to blame. He seemed like the likely candidate. Percy had pretty much deserted the family a few years back and now it seemed as if Ginny was doing the same. She didn't want to alienate Ron as well.

"The first batch of cookies should be ready soon," she said, the tone of her voice much softer than it had been before.

"All right," Ron got up to use the loo. He was almost out the door when he suddenly turned around and hugged his mother. "I am sorry Mum. I know this is hard on you. I wish it hadn't happened at all."

This set Molly off to crying again and she collapsed in ragged sobs against her youngest son.

"Mum," Ron rubbed his mother's back much like she had when he was younger- like when Fred and George turned his teddy bear into a spider- as she cried. "Come on Mum... I know it's Ginny... sooner or later she'll come back to us."

"Do you really think so?" she managed to choke out between sobs. "You don't think your father or I pushed her away, do you? Perhaps we were too lenient with her."

"I don't think you were." Ron replied as Molly finally pulled away. "The freedom we had at Hillsdale just went to her head is all." he grinned goofily at his mother. "Look at me- I went there and I'm doing just great."

Despite herself, Molly couldn't help laughing. "You are a good boy, Ron. I know we don't say it nearly enough, but your father and I are really proud of you."

"Thanks," Ron said, kissing her cheek. "Luna's coming over in just a bit."

Molly smiled and led the way back into the kitchen to check on her cookies. "I like that girl, Ronald. She's got a good head on her shoulders. And I think she keeps you on your toes."

"She sure does Mum," Ron affirmed.

"You know I'm convinced if Ginny had associated with you and Luna and Harry at that resort, things would have turned out quite differently," Molly said. "The moment I saw that Malfoy boy I knew he was just like his father."

"Well it wasn't for lack of trying," Ron said honestly. "She fancied Harry but he saw Hermione and it was just like there was no one else for either of them after she helped him and Cho out. And I didn't even know anything was going on with her and Malfoy until later on in the holiday or I'd have put a stop to it before then."

Molly smiled wistfully. She'd always secretly hoped that someday Harry would see Ginny as more than a little sister, but obviously that was never going to happen. From what she heard, Harry was quite happy with this girl. "You need to tell him to stop by," Molly said. "I haven't seen him since you lot left for Hillsdale. I want to meet this girl of his...make sure she's good enough for our Harry."

"She is," Ron replied. "I honestly feel as if we've known her for years not just a few months. Harry's absolutely over the moon for her as she is him."

"Good," Molly said. "You tell him to bring her by or he'll have to answer to me." Just as the timer to the stove went off, the front doorbell chimed.

"I'll get it," Ron shoved his chair back and ran down the hallway. "Hey!" his face lit up as he saw his girlfriend standing at the door.

Luna beamed back at him. She kissed him quickly on the cheek and looked past him and into the house. "Is it safe to come in?" she asked. She knew how tense things had been lately at the Burrow between Ron and his mother.

"It's fine," Ron replied. "We've actually just been talking civilly," he lowered his voice. "I think she finally realised what happened wasn't my fault."

"About time," Luna said with a grin as she stepped into the house.

Ron grinned as he closed the door behind her. "How was work?" he asked, winding his arms around her waist.

She couldn't help smiling as she thought about her job. Writing had always been a passion of hers and to get paid to do something she loved was like icing on the cake. "Great," she said happily. "I'm going to have two articles in next week's issue."

"Hey fantastic!" Ron whirled her around before kissing her. "We'll have to celebrate!"

She squealed with delight. "What did you have in mind?"

"Maybe my mum can make us a great dinner or something," Ron thought of his funds.

Luna's smile faded a bit. "Why don't we go out for dinner? Cho told me about this great Italian restaurant that she and Neville went to last weekend. It sounds fantastic."

"I... don't know. I don't really have a lot of pocket money." Ron lied.

Luna giggled. "You don't have to pay all the time, Ronald. I'm quite the liberated female, you know. I don't mind treating you every once in awhile." She'd meant it as a joke, but she saw the stricken look on Ron's face and her laughter quickly died.

"I don't want you to pay for things we do," Ron said. "Especially if we're celebrating..."

"I don't mind," she said quickly. "I want to do it."

"I don't," Ron replied firmly. "We'll go out... we'll just have to eat in the rest of the week though," he thought quickly about getting an advance from Fred and George.

Luna shook her head. "No, it's okay. You obviously don't want to go out. I'm certainly not going to force you."

"Well... if you don't want to go out then we can just stay in," Ron brightened back up.

Luna looked at him wondering what was going on with him lately. He'd been like this ever since they'd returned from Hillsdale. Whenever she suggested going out, he'd make up some flimsy excuse or sulk until she relented. Now that she thought about it, the only places they'd been to had been her flat, the Burrow, and Harry and Hermione's. "Actually," she said softly. "I'm quite tired. I think I might just go home and take a nice long bath and call it an early night."

"We don't have to do that," Ron said. "My mum's just made some cookies."

"I’m not that hungry," Luna said, grabbing her bag. "Tell your mum I said hello." She didn't kiss him goodbye as she made her way toward the door.

"Luna!" Ron said. "Why are you leaving?"

Her hand froze on the door knob. She didn't turn around. "I told you I was tired," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"You're mad at me," he said.

She dropped her bag to the floor again and slowly turned around to face him. "Mad at you?" she asked rounding on him. All the anger Luna had been holding back came spewing forth and she didn't think she'd have been able to stop herself if she'd tried. "Mad at you? Why on earth would I be mad at you? You obviously don't want to be seen with me in public. Why on earth would that make me mad?"

"I don't care about being seen in public with you," Ron replied, crossing his arms. "Why would you think that?"

Luna rolled her eyes. "Oh, I don't know! Being as your idea of taking me out since we've been back is taking me out to dinner at your best friend's flat? Every time I suggest going out for a meal or going out dancing, you shoot me down. I thought we were past this, Ron. You said that you felt bad for the way you treated me at Hogwarts. But, you know what? You haven't changed a bit. You didn't want to associate with me then and you certainly don't want to do it now!"

"I... but..." Ron's jaw fell open and his mind went completely blank.

Luna wanted him to tell her that she was wrong, but he obviously didn't know how to come out and tell her that her first instincts about him had been correct.

She felt tears welling up in her eyes, but she wasn't about to cry in front of him.

"Go ahead and spend your life listening to what other people say, Ron. Go ahead and dictate your life to fit what other people think. I hope you'll be happy. By yourself," she added coolly.

"Luna..." he said weakly as she turned and slammed the front door behind her.

Molly came into the sitting room just then and looked at her son. "I thought Luna was here, Ron. Where did she go?"

"I don't know," Ron said miserably. "I think we just...broke up…"

*** *** ***

Gordon Devereaux smiled at the pretty brunette sitting opposite him and marvelled again at how the mousy, bushy-haired girl he'd known years ago had grown up into a pretty, confident woman.

He hadn't believed his luck when he'd seen her in that book shop a couple of weeks ago. She had taken him by surprise in more ways than one. They'd rekindled their friendship as classes had begun and he'd finally talked her into sharing a cup of tea with him after their Advanced Charms class was over.

"So what did you do with yourself all those years after you left Beauxbatons?" Hermione asked.

"Durmstrang," he admitted. "My father went there, of course. He wanted me to carry on the tradition so I transferred. After that, I travelled around a bit. Of course, my folks weren't too crazy about that."

"I'll bet they weren't," Hermione smiled as she took another sip of tea. "But I am definitely glad to see you. Everyone else doesn't seem as serious about these subjects as we are."

He laughed. "We always were kindred spirits about stuff like that, weren't we?"

"Without a doubt," Hermione agreed. "After you left in third year I had to study all by myself!"

He took a sip of his tea and smiled warmly at her. "I'm back now. You never have to study by yourself again."

"You can't imagine what a relief that is to my ears," Hermione joked. "What time is your next class?"

"Eleven," he said, checking his watch. "How about yours?"

"I've not got one until three," Hermione replied. "I think I'm going to head back and try to catch Harry for lunch."

"Oh," Gordon said, trying to not look disappointed. "I won't keep you then."

"I've still got a few minutes," Hermione replied. "Harry won't get back until at least eleven."

He looked at her as if he wanted to ask her a question, but couldn't quite find the most tactful way to say it. "You don't have to answer this if you don't want to," he began, "but I've been dying to know how you hooked up with Harry Potter of all people."

"Oh," Hermione laughed. "You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me," he said resting his elbows on the table.

"Well... this past summer holiday my family went to this place called Hillsdale. Harry was working there as a dancer..." Hermione told him an abbreviated tale, leaving out the parts about Draco and Ginny. "And well... after he and my dad got to know one another he grudgingly gave his blessing and Harry and I moved in with one another." Her cheeks grew pink as she thought about her boyfriend.

Gordon stared at her in disbelief. "You've got to be kidding me! Robert Granger let you move in with some bloke you'd only known a couple of months?"

Hermione gave him a look. "My father really had no choice in the matter. I love Harry and he loves me. I fully intend on marrying this man someday, whether it be sooner or later."

Gordon frowned. "Hermione, I didn't mean to upset you. I was just surprised. From what I know of your dad, he's always been protective of you. I was just surprised is all." He gave her his best charming smile and hoped that his chance with her wasn't over.

"Oh he is protective," Hermione assured. "But he also realises I'm not a small child anymore."

"He's not the only one," Gordon said, and then blushed. He hadn't meant to be so forward with her, but he couldn't stop himself.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione cocked her head to the side curiously.

"Just that you're not that teenage girl I remember," he quickly covered. "We've all grown up."

"That's very true," Not that Hermione was really looking per se, but she couldn't help that Gordon had filled out rather nicely. Nothing could tempt her away from Harry though. "I think I'd better get going, it's almost time for your class." she said, drinking the rest of her tea.

"Yeah," he said wistfully. "And you don't want to keep that lucky man of yours waiting, do you?"

"Definitely not," Hermione laughed. "I'll see you tomorrow Gordon."

He nodded and watched as she collected her bag and cloak and headed out of the coffee shop. He'd definitely have to work hard to win her away from Harry Potter, but he'd never backed away from a challenge before. And he wasn't about to start now.

*** *** ***

Harry had invited Neville over for lunch during their break from training and then his friend had gone and gotten Cho. He hoped Hermione would come home as well and not stay with that annoying Gordon bloke for the entire day. "What are you guys hungry for?" he asked, looking in the pantry.

"Anything sounds good to me," Neville looked at his girlfriend.

"You guys are going to think this is crazy, but I'm dying for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich," Cho said with a sheepish smile.

Harry gasped. "You mean... Cho... you don't want anything that will make the rest of us sick?"

"Did I just hear you ask for something NORMAL?" Neville asked in disbelief.

"And here I was thinking the two of you would tease me for wanting something that kids eat," she said trying to look affronted. "Just make my damn sandwich, Harry and shut it."

"Right away," Harry saluted her. "Look at this Neville, the waitress ordering the customer around."

"And use grape jelly please," she said enjoying this a little too much. "And if it's not too much trouble could you cut the crusts off, too?"

Neville laughed at Harry's expression as they all heard the front door open and close. "Hi, everyone," Hermione said breezily, coming into the kitchen. She kissed Harry's cheek as she passed by him and took a seat beside Cho at the table.

"Good morning to you too," Harry replied. "That's all the greeting I get?"

"Do you want to disgust our guests with public displays of affection when they are about to eat lunch?" she teased.

"Please don't," Neville said.

"Potter, no snogging until you finish making my sandwich," Cho said, snapping her fingers. "Chop. Chop."

Hermione started laughing at him. "Thanks Cho, now even my girlfriend thinks I'm a fool," Harry slapped peanut butter onto the bread.

"She's finally catching on then," Cho said with a laugh. She turned to Hermione. "It's good to see you, Hermione. Since these two started their training, we don't get to hang out as much."

"I know," Hermione admitted. "Real life rears its ugly head. Makes you sort of wish for the lazy, hazy days of Hillsdale, huh?"

"More than you know," Neville said, his hand sneaking on top of Cho's and winding their fingers together.

Cho beamed back at him. She stared lovingly into his eyes for a moment before an idea came to her. "Hey!" she said excitedly. "I just had an idea!"

"What's that?" Neville asked.

"I'm dying to get out for a night on the town," Cho said with her eyes gleaming. "We could go out dancing to some club. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't be able to kick up my heels as high as I normally do, but I'd love to get out there and listen to some great music. What do you think?"

"That sounds like a great idea," Harry said. "We do have this weekend free!"

"That'd be fantastic," Hermione chimed in. A part of her wished it would be next weekend that Harry had free instead. Next weekend was her birthday. But, she'd meant it when she told him she didn't really mind. It would have been wonderful to have him there with her on that day, but it couldn't be helped.

"Well let's do it then," Harry said happily.

"We can see if Lavender and Seamus want to join us, maybe even Ron and Luna will come," Neville added.

Cho nodded and they made plans to go out this Saturday for a night on the town. Neville said he'd send Ron and Luna an owl and Hermione excused herself to go and give her cousin a ring to see if Lavender would go. Cho couldn't help noticing that Hermione looked a little upset about something.

"Is everything okay?" she asked Harry, keeping her voice low so Hermione couldn't hear.

"She's upset about us missing her birthday," Harry replied in the same low voice. "I was hoping maybe you and Luna could plan her something to keep her mind off the fact that we'll be gone?"

"As if you even have to ask," Cho said before taking a bite of her sandwich. "So Mr. Smooth, what are you going to get her for her birthday?" she asked conspiratorially to Harry.

"I already have it," Harry grinned. "And you'll have to wait and see it once I give it to her."

"Not even a hint?" she asked, sulking. "Come on! I won't tell her."

Harry scoffed. "Yeah right," he said. "Like the time you promised you wouldn't tell Ron about—"

Just then Hermione came back into the room. "Tell Ron about what?" she asked.

"Nothing," Harry replied. "Just making fun of Cho's idea of secret keeping," he took a large bite of sandwich as Hermione sat down next to him.

"I can keep a secret!" Cho retorted. "I kept quiet about you two, didn't I?"

"For once," Harry said with his mouth full.

Hermione laughed along with the others, but she couldn't help but feel somewhat like an outsider. The three of them, especially Cho and Harry, had memories of things, events, and people that had nothing to do with her.

Harry reached over and grabbed her hand. "How were classes today?" he asked.

"Great," she said with a slight smile. "I would have been back sooner, but Gordon asked me to join him for some tea. They have the greatest shop near campus. They have the best blueberry scones."

"Who's Gordon?" Neville asked.

"An old schoolmate from Beauxbatons," Hermione explained. "He's going to University, too. We have loads of classes together." She didn't notice the look of annoyance that passed over Harry's face, but Cho did.

Harry shrugged. "He's all right."

"He's brilliant," Hermione said. "He has this photographic memory. He can remember everything he reads."

Neville and Cho stifled their laughter at the annoyed expression on Harry's face. "Does he go by the name Superman at night?" Neville joked.

"He's just really smart, Neville," Hermione said quickly. "I was always jealous of how easy it all seems to come to him. I used to get a little thrill whenever I made better marks than he did."

"I'm sure I give you a bigger thrill," Harry cut in.

Hermione smiled at him. "In more ways than one," she said softly. She scooted her chair closer to his so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

They ate together, laughing and talking about that weekend. "We'd best get going," Neville said. "I have to drop Cho off at the doctor's office before heading back to training."

"I need to stop off at home first," Cho replied.

"Home?" Harry's head shot up. "Where is home Cho?"

Cho froze. She pushed back from her chair and slowly got to her feet. Pretending she hadn't heard Harry's question, she gave him a peck on the cheek. "We don't want to be late," she said to Neville.

Harry stood up. "Cho..." he began warningly.

Cho glared at Neville. "You told him, didn't you?"

Neville sighed and was about to open his mouth when Harry cut him off. "I made him tell me Cho. How could you not tell us you were living at The Leaky Cauldron?" he snapped and Hermione gasped.

"Maybe because I knew you'd react like this," Cho suggested. "It's okay, Harry. I'm fine."

"No you're not," Harry said, looking to Hermione for agreement.

"The rooms at The Leaky Cauldron can't be all that comfortable for you, Cho," Hermione reasoned. "Wouldn't you be more happier in a place surrounded by friends who would take care of you and make sure you're okay? Harry and I have an extra room that we were just going to use for an office, but we could let you have it."

"No," Cho said firmly. She gave Hermione a grateful smile. "Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine where I am."

"I agree with them," Neville interjected quietly. "What if something were to happen to you and the baby? You know those rooms are soundproof. What if you fell? At least here there are people around who can hear."

Cho sighed heavily. "Have you three forgotten that I am a dancer? I am graceful by nature. The way you three talk you'd think I was tripping over my own two feet. I'm not going to fall."

"But you don't know that," Harry insisted. "Please Cho... please come stay here with us. At least until Neville gets you three your place to live."

Cho would have liked nothing more than to take them up on their offer, but she didn't want to feel like a burden to them. Harry had already done so much for her.

"You're not a burden," Harry began in a softer voice, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

Cho looked from Harry to Hermione and then to Neville. "I never could turn you down," she said to Harry. "Those green eyes get me every time."

Harry grinned and Hermione squealed and hugged Cho.

"We outnumber him now," Hermione said linking arms with Cho.

Harry and Neville laughed. "After training is over today we'll get you moved into here," Neville said happily.

"Did you hear that Harry?" Cho teased. "Just when you thought you'd finished moving...you get to help me move in."

*** *** ***

Ron looked at the front door to the small cottage that housed The Quibbler and exhaled heavily. He'd never been good at making up with someone. He always did something to screw it up and make the girl even madder than she'd been before.

He looked down at the single red rose he held in his hand. It was a bit cheesy and he had no idea if Luna even liked roses, but he had to start somewhere. He said a silent prayer that this would work as he stepped inside the office.

Luna purposely buried herself in a story about a herd of doxies that seemed to have mated with gnomes. A co-worker had taken pictures and she was in the midst of writing the article.

One of the doxy-gnomes looked like Ron; at least it did to her. She couldn't stop looking at the picture, her finger running over it continuously. She missed him, even though he'd been such a prat lately.

Ron had never been inside the office before. It was much larger inside than it looked from the outside. He didn't have much time to reflect on the office or its decor, however, because he immediately spotted Luna. "Don't screw this up," he mumbled quietly to himself as he walked toward her desk.

Luna heard a cough and looked up, expecting to see her father. Instead, it was the very person that had been plaguing her thoughts all day long. "Hello Ronald," she said formally, trying to decide whether or not she was happy to see him.

He gave her a slight smile as he stood in front of her desk. He held the rose behind his back. "Hi," he said and then frowning when she immediately went back to work on her article. She certainly wasn't going to make this easy on him. "I, um, have something for you," he said weakly.

"What is it?" Luna asked quietly as her heart began to beat faster.

He pulled the rose from behind his back and held it in front of her. She didn't make a move to accept it, but he took it as a good sign that she didn't take it and throw it in his face. "On my way here, I passed a florist and I stopped in," he said nervously. "You would have laughed at me because I was standing in there and I couldn't remember what your favourite flower was. Hell, I don't even know if you have a favourite flower. So, I just took a chance with the old standby...one perfect rose."

"It's lovely," Luna finally took it, her fingers brushing his. "Thank you Ronald."

"You're quite welcome," he said relieved.

Luna summoned a glass vase and put the rose inside and set it to the side of her desk. "How are you?" she asked, her tone still cool.

"Okay," he said, absently beginning to kick her desk with his foot. "I'm actually on my way to work. Fred and George are doing inventory tonight and...Well, I'm doing inventory, the two of them will probably be trying out their latest invention."

"That's nice," Luna looked back down at her article. "Well... thanks for stopping by."

His heart sank. So much for the romantic reunion he'd envisioned. But, he wasn't about to give up that easy. "There's something I sort of wanted to ask you," he said nervously.

"What?" she asked, her tone tired.

"Harry stopped by this morning on the way to his training session and he told me that everyone's going dancing this Saturday and wanted to know if we wanted to go along and I was just thinking if you weren't busy and I wasn't busy----which I'm not---and," his voice trailed off and he again cursed himself for sounding like a bumbling fool.

Luna gave a rather derisive laugh. "So now you've decided you don't mind being seen with me in public?" she asked. "Thanks but no thanks Ronald. Now if you'll excuse me-"

Ron watched as she pushed back from her chair and grabbed her article. He put a hand on hers and looked at her. "Please, Luna," he said softly. "It's not what you think. It's never been about me not wanting to be seen in public with you. You've got it all wrong."

"Do I?" she asked, pulling away from him.

"I love spending time with you," he said sincerely. "This summer you and I barely spent two minutes apart. You remember that, don't you?"

"We were staying in the same place," Luna replied. "It would have been hard to avoid one another."

Ron sat down on the edge of her desk and groaned in frustration. "I haven't been avoiding you, Luna! We've hung out every night since we've been back. So what if we haven't gone out to restaurants to eat dinner. That's not what being in a relationship is about. It's about spending time together. That's what we've been doing!"

"I know that Ronald," Luna said. "But a girl, even a girl like me, likes to be treated to a night out once in awhile. Not every night. But just once in awhile." she gathered her parchment in a neat stack. "Besides that, it doesn't help when a girl's boyfriend is obviously ashamed of her." she swept past him so once again he couldn't see her tears.

"Luna!" he called after her. "Come on, don't be like this!"

Luna ignored him as she went into the back room, finally letting her tears free. "Just go away Ronald! It's over!"

"Luna!" Ron said, knocking on the door insistently. "It's not over! Come on!"

"Just go away," she repeated, trying not to let her sobs show through her tone.

He shook his head and sank against the door. "Alright, Luna, you want me to leave you alone? I will, but just for now. Because I'm picking you up on Saturday night and you and I are going dancing with our friends. I'm not taking no for an answer, Luna Lovegood."

"I'm not going!" she called back.

"Yes, you are," he retorted.

Luna pulled open the door and Ron fell at her feet. "You listen to me Ronald Bilius Weasley," she began.

He looked up at her sheepishly and quickly scrambled to his feet. She looked quite flustered and without even thinking Ron took her hand and pulled her abruptly to him.

Luna's gasp was smothered as he kissed her fully on the mouth. "I am not going," she said weakly as Ron brushed away a few tearstains.

"Yes, you are," he said softly.

"Why?" she asked, still clinging to him.

"Because I love you," he whispered.

Luna stared at him. "Do you really?" she asked softly.

"I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true," he said, resting his forehead on hers.

Luna smiled tearfully. "I love you too Ron," she hugged him tightly.

"So, I guess this means you are going then?" he asked, not even trying to hide the happiness he felt at her words.

"All right," Luna agreed, brushing his red hair out of his eyes. "But only if you'll buy me a drink."

"Water is free, isn't it?" he asked cheekily. Luna narrowed her eyes at him and he began to laugh. "I better get to work soon," he said, suddenly noticing that Luna's co-workers were watching the two of them and probably had for quite some time. "I think we have an audience," he whispered.

Luna looked at her fellow employees and smiled dreamily. "We'll be right back," she said pulling Ron back into the little storeroom and shutting the door behind them. "Where were we?" she asked.

"Right about here," he said before engaging her in a long, slow kiss.

5. Chapter 5

A/N: Thank you to those who have read and reviewed. I know you might not think it means much to leave a couple of sentences to let us know what you think, but it means a great deal to both of us. It lets us know if you like our story. So, if you do read, please leave us a line to two to let us know what you thought of the chapter. Please? Please? Please?

Hermione came back to the table, breathless from another round of dancing with Harry. "This is so much fun!" she said enthusiastically. Even Cho seemed to be having a good time, despite sitting in the corner with Neville all night.

Ron grinned at his best friend's girlfriend. "This has been a great night," he agreed, turning to Luna.

"I wish I could go out there and join you guys, but I'm getting so big Neville can't even put his arms around me all the way," Cho said giggling.

"That's not stopping me from trying," Neville kissed the side of her head. "I'm having a good time just sitting here with you."

"Once you have the baby and are able to dance again we'll watch it for a night so you and Neville can do this," Hermione promised as they all sat down, her on Harry's lap since there weren't enough chairs.

"Let the record show that Hermione volunteered us for that," Harry said, resting his chin on Hermione's shoulder. "And therefore when this babysitting occurs, she will be the one changing the dirty nappies, not me."

Hermione elbowed him as he grinned and squeezed her sides, making her jump. A waitress came by and they all ordered another round of drinks. Ron turned to Luna and they started snogging again as they had been doing most of the night.

"Get a room!" Harry called to Ron.

"Sod off Potter," Ron replied, barely taking his lips off Luna's. "Come on, let's go back out there and show this idiot a thing or two," he grabbed her hand.

Luna waved goodbye to her friends as she followed Ron out onto the dance floor.

Cho again looked around at the crowded club and felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia come over her. She, Harry, Neville and Ron as well as a number of their Hogwarts' friends had spent many a night in this club right after graduation. Even though she'd only danced one slow dance with Neville, she was still glad just to be out and with her friends. "This place hasn't changed much, has it?" she asked.

"Nope," Neville replied. "Maybe just us," he grinned.

Harry, Cho and Neville began to relate stories about past trips to this club and others like it. Noticing Hermione being a little quiet, Harry pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. "You're cousin and Seamus sure seem to be hitting it off rather well, don't they?" Harry asked Hermione, trying to pull her into the conversation.

"They definitely are," Hermione said with a smile. "They haven’t come off the floor once. I'm so glad for her, especially after the whole Draco Malfoy situation back at Hillsdale. Seamus really brought her out of what was turning into a big slump."

Cho grimaced at the mention of Draco Malfoy. "It's funny how she and I were both used by the git and we ended up better than we were before because she found Seamus and I found Neville. I guess in some way we might owe him a tiny bit of gratitude."

Harry stared at his friend with his mouth wide open.

"I said a little bit," Cho said quickly.

Hermione laughed at Harry's open jaw. "You're letting in flies love," she joked.

"Just thought Cho might be going a little soft in the head," Harry said, looking solemnly at his friend.

"No," Cho said shaking her head. "I was just trying to say that it took being hurt by someone like that to make me understand and see what real love was supposed to be." She took Neville's hand and rested her head on his shoulder.

Neville grinned widely as he did every time Cho said she loved him. He still found it hard to believe that a girl as beautiful as Cho Chang could ever even look twice at him, much less fall in love with him. "I'm the lucky one here you know," he said.

Hermione smiled at Harry. "Want to get back out there," she asked, turning so she could wind her arms around his neck. She kissed his ear as her fingers played in the hair at his nape.

"I'd actually like to take you back home right now and have my way with you," he said only half joking.

"Maybe later lover," Hermione whispered licentiously in his ear. "For now... let's just pretend we're doing that."

He grinned as she got to her feet just then and crooked her finger at him beckoning him to follow her onto the dance floor.

"Show him how it's done, Hermione," Cho said winking at her.

Hermione pulled him out, pressing her body up against his. Harry grinned at her as his arms wound around her waist as they began to grind. "I love dancing like this with you," Hermione had to shout in his ear.

"You do, do you?" he said into her ear before bending her down precariously low to the ground before quickly bringing her back up to face him. The combination of the couple of drinks he'd had and the feel of her body against his and the pulsating sound of the music was loosening up his own inhibitions and he knew from the look on Hermione's face, it was doing the same to her.

"Mmmmhmmmm..." she murmured lazily, planting a series of soft kisses along his jaw. "I want you so bad right now Potter," Hermione said.

"Hermione," he said breathlessly, right before her lips were on his. They usually weren't ones to engage in such a public display of affection, but she didn't seem to care as he felt her hands go underneath his shirt and he felt her hands on the skin of his back.

Hermione let out a loud moan that was lost in the steadily beating music as Harry pushed his fingers into the fabric of her flimsy top she'd borrowed from Lavender. "Merlin... please do that again..."

Harry was about to do just that when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He thought it was Hermione, but that couldn't be as he knew both her hands were on his waist. Abruptly, he stopped what he was doing to his girlfriend and turned ready to tell off whomever it was interrupting them, but his anger disappeared as he took in the person before him. "Isabella!" he exclaimed.

"Hello Harry," she smiled. "Long time no see."

"I thought you were in Spain," he said. "You're still modelling, aren't you?"

"I am," the ice blonde woman sent a perfect smile Harry's way. "I just thought I'd Apparate in for the weekend and visit some friends."

Harry felt another tap on his shoulder this time from behind. He turned slowly around to see a somewhat put out Hermione looking at him expectantly. She obviously wanted an introduction. "Right," he said, giving his girlfriend a smile. "Um, Isabella Marconi, this is Hermione Granger."

"Lovely to meet you," Hermione said with a small smile. She felt like an absolute hag next to this woman!

"Nice to meet you, too," Isabella said dismissively. She linked arms with Harry. "Harry and I go way back, don't we, Harry?"

"I'm sure you do," Hermione said, sliding her arms around Harry's waist.

"So I don't see a ring on your finger," Isabella said flirtatiously pointedly ignoring Hermione. "I take it no woman's scooped you up yet."

"This woman has," Harry pulled out of Isabella's grasp. "Hermione and I just moved in together."

Hermione fought to contain her glee as the smile slipped from Isabella's face.

"Oh," Isabella said, mustering her smile back. "I never thought I'd see the day when Harry Potter would settle for just one woman. You must be quite special."

"She is," Harry replied, squeezing Hermione's shoulders.

Isabella's fixed smile faltered a bit, but deciding to change her tact, she turned her full attention back to Harry. "The reason I came over here was that I was hoping you'd dance with me one time," she asked coyly. "I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't mind."

Hermione wanted to say yes she did mind but Harry only smiled and slipped away from her. "I'm sure it's fine, right?" he asked. "I'll be right back." without waiting for an answer he and Isabella went further into the crowd and Hermione was left to slink back to the table where Cho and Neville had been rejoined by Ron and Luna. "Okay... can any of you tell me who Isabella Marconi is?" she asked, sitting down hard.

Cho groaned and exchanged a look with Ron. "Don't tell me she's here, is she?"

Ron shuddered and curled his lip. "I thought I saw her out there but I was hoping we would be spared ever seeing her again."

"That doesn't answer my question," Hermione tapped a fingernail impatiently on the table.

Cho avoided looking at Hermione. "She and Harry used to sort of, you know, date," she explained.

"Sort of date?" Hermione asked pointedly.

"They didn't really date, Cho," Ron said with a laugh. "They were more about shag-"

Luna hit Ron sharply on the arm and Cho glared at him.

"Oh," Hermione said quietly.

Cho put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Hermione, Isabella Marconi is a complete and utter cow. I'm serious...she's nothing. And she's not all that pretty. In fact, I think she's starting to get wrinkles. Must be all that sunbathing she does."

"I guess," Hermione said. "If that's so, she's the best looking cow I've ever seen. And Harry acted like a big goof... I mean... he acknowledged me and everything but he was staring at her like he'd never seen her before."

Cho gave everyone a look and suddenly Ron and Luna were back on the dance floor and Neville was heading for the loo. She gave Hermione a sympathetic smile. "He loves you, Hermione. You know that."

"I know... but I don't look anything like that." Hermione replied, suddenly miserable.

"Okay," Cho said, resigned to telling Hermione the whole truth about Isabella. "What do you want to know?"

"How long were they together?" Hermione asked. She and Harry really hadn't discussed their sexual pasts (she hadn't had one until she met Harry) and now after seeing what Harry's ex girlfriend looked like she couldn't help her curiosity. "What... what did they do?" she asked, fearful of the answer.

"They met the first year we were at Hillsdale," Cho explained. "She was on a photo shoot that some magazine wanted to do. She set her sights on Harry right away and he was 18 years old at the time, Hermione. He was a walking hormone. They weren't in love or anything like that; it was more of a physical type relationship."

"But they slept together a lot?" Hermione asked dully. "It sure looks like he was infatuated by her..." she stole a glance and to her dismay saw Harry and Isabella laughing like old friends.

Cho caught sight of them as well and felt the overwhelming urge to cast a bat-bogey hex on her best friend for doing this to Hermione. It should be Harry who was explaining his sordid past with Isabella to Hermione, not Cho. "He cared about her a great deal," Cho admitted. "But, it wasn't love. He was just...in awe of her, I think."

"Oh," Hermione said again. "We... you know... we don't really talk about who we used to date... it's just never seemed important until now."

"So what about you?" Cho asked, hoping to change the subject from Isabella and Harry. "Any exes that had you all smitten kitten?"

"Not really," Hermione shrugged. "Cho... be honest with me here. Are all Harry's exes like that? If so then what the bloody hell is he doing with me?"

"Um, because he loves you?" Cho suggested. "I've known him for a long time, Hermione. And I've never seen him be with anyone the way he is with you. And all his exes aren't like that. I'm certainly not."

"Neville said you two dated at Hogwarts," Hermione replied.

Cho nodded. "Not for very long, though. We were always better friends than we were anything else. I mean we did lose our virginity to each other---" When she saw the stricken look on Hermione's face her voice trailed off. She'd thought Harry would have told Hermione that.

Hermione felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach. First Isabella and now Cho? "I think I should go home," she said, her voice quivering.

"No, Hermione," Cho said quickly. "You don't have to go home. What happened between Harry and I was ages ago. We were fifteen and..." Cho's voice trailed off again as she realized she was only making this worse. And to top things off, Harry picked the absolute worst time to make his reappearance.

"Hey, beautiful," he said coming up behind Hermione. She pushed away from him and fled the club, glaring back over her shoulder. Harry turned back around. "What the hell was that all about?"

"Just go after her," Cho said angrily. "You are something else, you know that?"

"What did I do?" Harry was genuinely confused.

"Oh, I don't know," Cho said sarcastically. "Left her alone while you caught up with the ice princess maybe?"

Harry stared at her. "I was being friendly!"

"YOU were being a prat and you know it," Cho said. "So she came back to the table wanting answers and it was up to me to fill in the blanks for her. About everything.

"Shit..." Harry realised. "And you told her... you and me..."

"It slipped out," Cho admitted apologetically. "I thought you'd told her all about it."

"I meant to and with everything I completely forgot." Harry ran his hands through his hair. "Where did she say she was going?"

"Home," Cho answered. "What are you doing standing around here? Go after her."

Harry left instantly and headed towards their cottage. Luckily the club was close to Horizon Alley and he was home within five minutes. "Hermione," he called as he let himself in. "Hermione come down here and talk to me!"

Hermione had just changed out of her clothes and into her pyjamas when she heard the front door open. She heard Harry call to her, but she didn't answer.

"Hermione," Harry came into the bedroom. "Why did you leave the club?"

"I was tired," she said simply, not looking in his direction as she pulled back the duvet and slid inside the bed.

"Bull shit." Harry said, holding the cover back.

"Yeah," she said, grabbing the covers back and pulling them protectively around her. "And you'd know all about that, wouldn't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked hotly. "Because I met up with someone whose company I once enjoyed? I don't see how that's such a bad thing!"

"That's rich!" Hermione said with a hollow laugh. "When the very same thing happened to me when I met up with Gordon in Flourish & Blotts you acted very rude and childish!"

"Yes but you didn't see me storming out like a baby," Harry snapped.

"Yeah, well I never slept with Gordon, now did I?" she retorted.

"How do I know that for sure?" Harry yelled.

Hermione angrily pulled the duvet off of her and got out of bed and rounded on him. "You've got to be kidding me! You knew you were my first. You think I'd lie about something like that?"

Harry glared angrily at her and was about to say something hurtful when he realised how absurd this argument was. "No... I don't." he sat down hard on the edge of the bed.

"And why didn't you tell me about Cho?" Hermione asked, not about to let this go. "I asked you when we first got together how many people you'd been with and you said three, including me. Why didn't you tell me it was Cho when I asked you?"

"Because I didn't think it was that important!" Harry rose back up from the bed. "Why is it such a huge deal? We were FIFTEEN YEARS OLD!"

"Not important?" Hermione repeated. "Not important? How would you feel if I had shagged… Ron when we were fifteen years old and I never told you about it?"

Harry glared at her. "You want to know about it? Fine. Cho and I decided to try dating because we were so close. And then we thought about getting physical. After that, we decided to have sex with one another because at least that way our first times would be with someone we care about and not something meaningless! Is that what you wanted to know?" he finished with a shout.

Hermione backed away from him and sank down on the bed. She honestly didn't know what to think. It was bad enough knowing that Harry had been intimate with someone like Isabella. Isabella wasn't someone she knew. She wasn't someone she thought of as a friend. And now someone who had known Harry as intimately as she had was living with them. She knew that Cho loved Neville. Hermione knew that Harry loved her. But now things just seemed...strange.

"Look..." Harry sat down next to her, his voice softer. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you it was Cho. But I really, honestly didn't think it was a big deal." he put an arm around her and was relieved when she didn't pull away. "But it's you I love now. Only you."

She didn't answer him right away. Truth be told, she was still shaken by all she'd learned tonight. A part of her wished she could go back to earlier that evening when she'd been blissfully unaware about all of it. "I love you, too," Hermione finally whispered.

Harry let out a relieved breath. "Come here," he said, pulling her into his arms. "Cho is in my past. We are absolutely nothing but friends now Hermione." He kissed the side of her head. "And Isabella... she never meant much to me... nowhere near how I feel about you. How I'll always feel about you."

"You mean that, don't you?" she asked, looking into his green eyes. A single tear fell down her cheek. "I'm sorry for reacting the way I did. Tonight, I just...found out that I don't know you as well as I thought I did."

"Yes you do," Harry cupped her face. "There are just a few things in our past that will come to light... but we'll work through it all Hermione." He kissed her gently. "I promise we will."

She smiled as he sat back on the bed and she cuddled into his arms. "That's another one to check off the list," she said. She didn't need to turn around to know that he was wondering what she was talking about.

"What?" Harry was confused.

"Our first fight since we moved in together," Hermione said simply. "Unless you want to count that first day when you thought that hideous green chair should go in the sitting room."

"That was my favourite chair," Harry pushed his lower lip out.

She turned and raised her eyebrow at him. "Now who's being a baby? I didn't make you throw it away. I just told you to put it in the attic."

Harry grinned suddenly. "You're right," he kissed her quickly before getting up to shed his clothes. "And it looks great up there too," he sniggered.

Hermione laughed as she slid back under duvet. "You may need to have your glasses checked," she teased.

"You may need your eyes checked," Harry said smugly. "Good night," he turned on his side. She still didn’t realise that he along with Robert as witness had used magic to recover the chair and it was now sitting nicely in the sitting room.

She tapped on his shoulder. "There's something else we haven't done yet, either. And I really think it needs to be checked off the list, too."

"What's that?" Harry yawned.

"You know I've heard that when couples have fights, they have to have makeup sex," Hermione said, feigning a yawn of her own. "Of course, if you're not up for it," she said, turning on her own side so her back was facing his. "You're not up for it."

"Maybe tomorrow night," Harry replied, burying his face in the pillow. “I’m so tired right now…”

Hermione didn’t respond. She’d thought he’d have jumped at the chance to have makeup sex. They’d had one of the worst fights they’d ever had. Yet, he didn’t seem to be into it now.

A nagging voice in her head reminded her of how into her he’d been on the dance floor that evening until Isabella had interrupted them. Hermione had never given much importance to looks and had always been one to think that it was what was inside that counted more. Tonight, her theory had faced quite a test.

If she compared herself to Harry’s other two lovers, she felt as if she came in a distant third. She wasn’t a classic beauty like Isabella or an exotic one like Cho.

Harry rolled over and kissed her then. “I promise tomorrow we’ll make up properly. I’m just so damned tired now…” he pulled her into his arms. “I love you Hermione…” he nuzzled her ear.

“Love you,” she said softly. Harry fell quickly asleep, but Hermione was wide awake. She felt as if she’d gone through a whirlwind of emotions tonight. She’d gotten some answers, but why was she left with more questions…about herself, about Harry and about where they were heading. For the first time in a long time, she didn’t feel so optimistic.

*** *** ***

The next morning Harry sat with Cho in the kitchen- him with coffee and her with some pumpkin juice. Harry hadn't said much since walking into the kitchen and the silence combined with her increasing curiosity was getting the best of her. She had come back with Neville last night to hear the tail end of their fight and was worried about her friends.

"So?" Cho finally asked as she buttered her toast.

Harry looked up from his newspaper and pulled a confused face. "So…?" he asked, drawing out the word and acting as if he had no idea what she wanted.

Impatiently, she grabbed the newspaper from his hands and carelessly tossed it onto the table.

"I wasn't reading that or anything," Harry said with a laugh.

"Oh sod the paper!" Cho hissed. "Are you going to tell me what happened last night when you ran after Hermione or do I have to drag it out of you?"

Harry sighed. "I think we're alright. We had a really horrible row, but I think we're okay. She knows everything now. For some reason I can tell she doesn’t think she measures up to you or Isabella, which is ridiculous.”

“That is silly,” Cho answered. “Hermione is gorgeous.”

“I agree,” Harry replied. “But for some reason last night really shook her up…”

Cho shook her head. "Harry... you went off and danced with your ex. Your very stunning ex that is. Hermione looked like she'd seen a ghost when we saw you two laughing and having a grand old time out there on the dance floor."

"It was one dance, Cho!" Harry retorted. "And we were just catching up. I hadn't seen her in a while…it was completely innocent."

"That's just not what it looked like, is all I'm saying," Cho rested a hand on her stomach. "If I were Hermione that would be a kick in the face for me too."

"She can't honestly think that I'd throw away what we have to go back with someone I haven't seen in a couple of years and who I never loved in the first place," Harry said, sitting back in his chair.

"I'm sure she doesn't," Cho said, sipping her juice. "And I'm also sure you told her that, right?"

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Well, sort of...I mean I told Hermione that she was the only one that I loved."

"Good," Cho replied. "What happened after that?" she asked, not really thinking of what Harry's answer might be.

He sat back and sighed. “Well… and this makes me the bloody idiot… she started talking about make up sex and you know what my response was? Maybe tomorrow night…” he shook his head disgustedly.

“Why did you say that?” Cho asked, trying not to laugh.

“I was tired. Fighting with her exhausted me.” Harry said. “I hate every minute of it.”

Cho opened her mouth to say something when Hermione breezed into the kitchen. “Good morning,” she said brightly.

“Morning,” Harry got up to kiss her but she only pecked him on the cheek.

“I’m off… I’ll be out with Lavender all day, don’t wait up.” Hermione said. “Bye Harry, bye Cho.” And like that, she was gone out the back door.

She had gone and rang her cousin, effectively waking her out of sleep. Lavender had grumbled at first but when she heard why Hermione was calling she was out of bed like a rocket.

“So tell me again why you’re doing this?” Lavender asked as they were sitting in a cafe. “I mean… you already have your guy.”

Hermione stirred her rapidly cooling tea. “You should have seen him Lav. When that Isabella girl was there Harry turned into this stumbling idiot. And then I find out about Cho…”

“That is a bit awkward… but Hermione, if he told you about it then he’s being honest and you have nothing to worry about.” Lavender tried to be reassuring. “Besides… she’s head over heels for Neville. It’s so obvious that they’re in love. He’s even saving up to get them a place to live. He’s saving up so when she has her baby, which he wasn’t even responsible for to begin with, it will have a good home!”

“You’re right,” Hermione sighed. “I just… can’t shake this feeling. I’ve never felt truly inadequate about my looks until last night.”

“You still have nothing to worry about.” Lavender said. “Besides… everyone, and I do mean everyone, knows what a bloody bitch Isabella Marconi is. Apparently she’s one of the worst models to work with, except that she’s also one of the best.”

“Well Harry certainly didn’t seem to think so.” Hermione replied. “That’s why I rang you up.”

Lavender looked at her cousin. “Hermione, I won’t lie and say I’ve never thought about this, but… making you over isn’t going to make Harry think any better or worse of you.”

“I know that. I don’t want a makeover… I do like how I look. I just need help getting myself more put together… both for Harry and I just want to look more professional. And at least when Harry’s confronted by some other gorgeous ex girlfriend he won’t have such a mess by his side.” Hermione begged. “Please Lavender… please.”

*** Later that Evening ***

Harry was getting worried- Hermione had been gone for hours now and she hadn’t owled him all day. Cho was also worried, Harry had almost had to put a freezing charm on her to keep her from pacing around the room behind him.

“Where could she be?” Harry asked.

“Harry will you please calm down?” Neville asked. “You’re making me seasick. I’m sure Hermione is fine- she’s a grown woman remember?”

Harry was about to retort when they all heard the front door open. Hermione was standing in the living room a moment later, Lavender behind her.

“Where were you?” Harry asked.

“Just out,” Hermione shrugged. Due to the increasing cold she had her cloak hood pulled up and the material wrapped tightly around her. “I didn’t realise that was a crime.”

“It’s not,” Harry answered. “I was just worried when I didn’t hear from you all day.”

Hermione softened at the concern in his eyes. “I’m fine,” she leaned up and kissed him. “Lavender and I just did some shopping.”

Cho patted Neville’s knee. “I’m in the mood for some ice cream,” she said, struggling to get up. “Lavender?”

“Sure,” Lavender replied. The three of them went into the kitchen, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

“I’m sorry I didn’t ring or owl you,” Hermione apologised. “We were just in and out of the stores and doing different things.” She pushed back her hood with a slightly shaking hand.

“Hermione…” Harry stared. “Your hair…” The normally wild bushy hair was gone. In its place was a smooth flowing mane with some slight waves that hung almost to the middle of her back.

She nervously took off her cloak and set it on the arm of the sofa. “Do you like it?” she tried to ask lightly.

“You look incredible,” Harry murmured. “Not that you weren’t stunning before. What made you do this?”

Hermione let him run his fingers through the locks, liking how easily they slid through now. “I want to look more professional,” she replied, which was the half truth. “So I got some new robes and things with Lavender today.”

“Sounds like you had a nice day out,” Harry replied.

“We did,” Hermione said, setting one of her bags down on top of her cloak. “Listen Harry… I want to apologise again for the way I acted last night.”

“No,” Harry shook his head. “I shouldn’t have gone off and danced with Isabella. And I should have told you about her and Cho before.”

“It’s all right,” Hermione raised her hand. “I overreacted… I overreacted very much. You were just being yourself,” her fingers curved over his cheek. “Your very sweet self.”

Harry grasped her hand that was touching his face. “I just didn’t want you to think that I didn’t want to make love to you last night either,” he said quietly. “I hate arguing with you and it tires me out.”

Hermione smiled. “All is forgiven,” she said, rising up to kiss him. “I had a lot of time to think today and I’ve got no reason to be jealous of anyone.”

“That’s right,” Harry grinned. “You couldn’t get rid of me if you tried Granger.”

“That goes double for you Potter,” Hermione grinned. “I’m here to stay.”

Harry’s arms slid around her waist as he pulled her close. She clung to his shoulders, burying her face in his neck as his hands rubbed her back. “Are you ready for that make up sex now?” she asked mischievously.

“More than you know,” Harry grinned. “But I think we’ll have to wait until everyone leaves.”

*** *** ***

Lavender left Harry and Hermione's still feeling a little concerned for her cousin. Hermione had always lectured Lavender in the past about how she shouldn't change who she was to fit the mould of what some man wanted. Lavender, of course, had always dismissed Hermione's lectures, but privately, she admired her cousin for it.

Lavender had always done what her boyfriend at the time wanted her to do. If he thought she should wear her hair down, she'd wear it down. If he liked sport, she'd pretend she liked it, too. She never felt as if she was being herself with any of them.

For the first time that she could remember, she was going out with someone who seemed to genuinely care about what she thought and wanted to know what she wanted to do. If she didn't want to do something, he didn't force her into it or pout until he got his way. He was amazing and she didn't know what to make of it.

They'd made plans to meet at a Muggle pub near her aunt and uncle's home. She walked into the pub and saw him sitting at the bar and watching the television in the corner. She came up behind him and put her hands over his eyes.

"Guess who?" she said.

"Lila?" Seamus grinned. "I knew that was you!"

Lavender took her hands off his eyes and hit him hard in the back.

"Ow!" Seamus rubbed the spot where she'd smacked him. "I was only kidding Lavender!"

"You better have been," she said, sitting down on a barstool beside him. "Sorry I'm a little late."

"Quite all right," Seamus leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss. "We can either eat here or somewhere else. You pick."

"This is fine," she said. "I'm actually exhausted. Hermione and I went all over London today shopping. And I'll deny this later, but I swear I actually got knackered shopping. I never thought I'd ever say that."

Seamus laughed. "From what I hear you're quite the shopping partner."

"Everyone has something they're good at," Lavender said simply. "You have your films and I have shopping...and designing. I guess that means I have two things I'm really good at."

Seamus grinned. "Aye, that you are," he squeezed her hand. "I thought maybe later we could get a film and take it back to my place to watch if you want to."

The smile on her face faltered a bit. Well, she was wondering when he'd start acting like a typical bloke and here he was, right on schedule. "Your place?" she asked. "You want me to go back with you to your place?"

"Sure," Seamus replied, not seeing the look on her face. "Or if it makes you feel more comfortable we can take it back to your aunt and uncle's."

"My aunt and uncle are out of town," Lavender said quietly. "Uncle Robert has a conference."

Seamus looked up at her for the first time since he'd asked her about seeing a movie. "What's wrong?" he asked in concern.

"Nothing," she said tersely and picked up a menu.

Seamus sighed and looked back at the bar. "What am I doing wrong here?" he asked.

"As if you didn't know," Lavender said, slamming the menu down on the bar.

"No, actually I don't," Seamus replied tightly. "Why don’t' you tell me instead of making me guess, although you seem to like dangling me off the end of your line."

"Don't you turn this around on me!" she retorted. "You keep telling me that you're nothing like Draco Malfoy, but at least he didn't try to hide his intentions. Get a movie and go to your place? I'd have thought you could have been a little bit more original than that!"

Seamus felt himself growing angry with her for the first time. "You know what Lavender? You need to get over Malfoy. He's still got some sort of hold on you that you can't let go. And now you're transferring it all on me." He brought his face to hers. "I've done nothing here but care about you and treat you like I thought you deserved and this is where it got me." he reached in his pocket and tossed a few quid on the bar. "If you want it this way, then fine. I'm sorry, I really am, but I won't sit and be insulted this way."

Lavender stared at him. "Y-you really wanted to just go back to your place and watch a movie? You didn't have anything else planned?" she asked, her tone still guarded, but much softer.

"No!" Seamus snapped. "I'm not about doing that sort of thing!" He lowered his voice. "I'm not into sleeping around Lavender. I would only do that with a girl if I was head over heels in love with her."

A part of her wondered if he was just telling her what she wanted to hear, but when she looked into his eyes, she could see he was sincere. Why was she so willing to believe the worst of him? Why couldn't she get over what Draco Malfoy had done to her? "I'm sorry," she finally said.

Seamus still stood there, wondering what she was thinking. "Are you?" he countered. "I really can only take so much Lavender."

"I know," she said, looking around to see that a few of the patrons were watching them. She took hold of his arm and led him over to a table in the back. They sat down and for a few moments, neither of them said anything.

"What?" Seamus asked tiredly. "What are we doing here?"

"I'm wondering where someone like you came from," she said honestly. "I've never had someone care about what I wanted to do or listened to what I had to say. You seem to care about how I feel and what I want and I'm not used to that."

Seamus looked at her squarely. "I've always treated a girl well," he said softly. "I'm not a saint, but I believe in respect most of all."

Lavender smiled shyly at him. "I feel like such an idiot! I haven't treated you fairly at all. The whole time you and I have been getting to know each other, I've wasted so much time trying to find some flaw. I've been waiting for you to act like a typical guy. I've missed out on enjoying spending time with you." She sighed and tapped her fingers absently on the table. "I wouldn't blame you if you decided to chuck me," she said looking away from him.

"I wouldn't do that," Seamus replied, taking her hand in his. "Look... I really do like you Lavender. I care about you very much. I'm not perfect either but you have to trust me or this relationship will go absolutely nowhere."

"I do trust you," she whispered.

"You do?" he asked.

"Yes," she said truthfully. "And to prove how much, I'll even let you choose the movie tonight." She looked up at him and tried to read the expression on his face. "If you still want to that is," she said quickly. "We've got popcorn back at the house."

Seamus finally smiled. "It's a date," he said.

6. Chapter 6

A/N: We know this update is a bit late- we’ve both been busy as of late and have gotten pretty far ahead in the story as a result even though we haven’t been posting.

Things we can tell you about this:

The title has changed, as you all can see. ‘The Not So Simple Life’ was making people think of that goofy Paris Hilton show and we didn’t want that. So this new title, “The Time of Their Life” ties into Dirty Dancing a little bit more, rather, that particular theme song at the end we all know and love.

Also, this story will go somewhere between 30 and 40 chapters… and that’s just a guesstimate. The plot is pretty complex, and it involves all couples so therefore we’re trying to give H/Hr the most time, since that’s what you all love most, while giving the other couples ample screentime as well.

One more thing- when you’re done reading, we DO appreciate reviews. Constructive criticism is fine, as long as you don’t try to mask said criticism with complaining and nothing else. But all comments ARE welcomed! Just because we’re not giving out CD’s with this story shouldn’t mean there’s no reason to leave us a few words telling us what you liked and disliked.

Last chapter we had 1088 hits and 39 reviews. We know it’s easy to just click off and not review but we’re taking between 3 and 5 hours a night to work on this story, and 10 seconds of your time for encouragement is hardly a sacrifice.

Anyways- thanks for reading this extra long and we’re sure, very boring A/N but we do hope you enjoy this chapter!

Hermione smiled at Harry's retreating back as he went into the bathroom for a shower. It was rather late in the evening and they had classes the next day but true to his word, once everyone had left Harry had pulled her straight into the bedroom.

Their lovemaking that night had been hot- their anger from the night before had spurred their passion and Hermione reckoned it was a good thing they set a silencing charm on the room.

She pulled on one of Harry's button down shirts and went downstairs to the living room to retrieve her bags from the sofa she'd dropped them on when she came home.

Cho looked up from her perch on the couch when she'd heard footsteps on the stairs. The only light downstairs was from the lamp beside the couch and she was reading a pregnancy magazine that she'd picked up at one of the newsstands earlier. "Hi, Hermione," Cho said warmly looking up from the magazine.

Hermione stopped in her tracks. "Oh... hi Cho..." she said. She was a bit ashamed of herself, but she couldn't help feeling a bit uncomfortable around the other woman still. "What are you doing?"

"Reading," Cho said, flipping through the magazine. "I should probably go to bed, but I'm not sleepy."

"Oh," Hermione picked up her bags. "I just came down to get my clothes I bought today."

"You sure bought a lot," Cho said. "Want to show me what you got? I can live vicariously through you and remember that at one time I could fit into clothes like that."

Hermione half smiled. "I would... but maybe tomorrow? I'm quite tired and I've got early class in the morning."

"Oh," Cho said, trying to hide her disappointment.

Hermione felt bad. "Well... it's mainly just things to wear after I finish University," she explained.

Cho nodded. "And you changed your hair, too?'

"Oh yeah," Hermione unpinned her hair and it tumbled past her shoulders. "Just straightened it so it's not as unkempt."

"I thought it looked nice before," Cho said, meaning it as a compliment, but knowing as soon as the words were out of her mouth that Hermione wouldn't take it that way.

"It looked awful," Hermione replied. "I just never really had a reason to do anything with it until now."

"And what was the reason?" Cho asked, hoping Hermione wasn't thinking she had to change to please Harry. She knew for a fact that Harry loved Hermione just the way she was.

"Because I was tired of looking like a mess," the vision of the perfect Isabella Marconi flashed before her eyes again. "I'm tired of people looking at me and wondering what the great, handsome Harry Potter was doing with such a waif." Hermione crossed her arms over her chest. "And like I already said- I want to look more professional. My bushy hair was fine for when I was in school. But now no one is going to hire me if I look unkempt."

"You never looked unkempt, Hermione," Cho said in disbelief. "You're the most together person I know. And since when have you ever cared what other people thought?"

Hermione sighed. "It's not for you to worry about Cho." she replied quietly.

"But I do worry," Cho said genuinely. "You're my friend, Hermione."

"I should really get to bed," Hermione blurted out. "Good night." she turned on her heel and rushed out of the room.

Harry had just come out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist, when he saw Hermione come back into the bedroom. "I thought you were going to join me," he said, not noticing the look on her face as she walked past him and deposited her shopping bags into the closet.

"I already showered," she said. "I didn't put this stuff away earlier so I wanted to before we went to bed."

"Everything alright?" he asked, dropping the towel and putting on his boxer shorts and an old grey t-shirt.

"Just fine," Hermione removed her new slim cut black robes from the bag and carefully hung them up. "Why do you ask?"

"Just worried about you is all," he said simply.

"I'm fine," Hermione smiled at him. "There's no need to worry. I'm not made of glass Harry, I'm not going to shatter because we had a fight."

"I know that," he said. Still, he sensed something was still wrong with her. But, he didn't want to push the issue since they'd made up. He watched as she pulled a low-cut, red top from one of the carrier bags. "I think you may have gotten your bags mixed up with Lavender's," he said.

"Why do you say that," Hermione asked, turning back to him. "Just because I bought some clothes that I wouldn't normally wear?"

"If you wouldn't normally wear them, why did you buy them?" he asked with a bemused expression on his face.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Because Harry, like I said before. I just want to start looking nicer that's all. I didn't realise it would be such a huge bloody deal to everyone!"

"Hermione," he said with sigh, hoping that what he was about to say didn't set her off again. "Does this have something to do with Isabella? Don't look at me like that! You know that we were doing perfectly fine last night until she showed up and now you seem to be doubting yourself and me and our relationship."

She rolled her eyes again and he crossed the room and looked at her as seriously as he could. "I never felt for anyone what I feel for you. I don't know what more I can do to prove that to you."

"It's not you Harry," Hermione replied. "Why don't you believe that? What happened last night has just made me realise I want to look nicer. For myself. That's ALL."

"Okay," he said, not really wanting to drop the issue, but knowing if he didn't, they'd just have another row and he didn't want that at all. "So, Luna tells me that she, Lavender and Cho are going to take you out for a girls night out for your birthday," he said, changing the subject.

"That's what they told me," Hermione also decided to let the issue drop. "I'm really looking forward to it but I can't help but wish you would be here," she finished hanging up her new clothes and turned to him.

"You and me both," he said wistfully. "So do you want your gift before I leave or when I come back?"

"Whenever you want to give it to me," Hermione grinned at him. "Or are you just using your libido on me again?" she asked, straddling his lap.

"Well there's that," he said cheekily, "but I do have something for you. And I can see by the look in your eye that you're trying to figure out what is, but no one knows, but me. And your co-conspirator Miss Cho Chang has tried, but failed to get it out of me, so don't even think of asking for her help." Harry didn't notice the smile faltered a bit on Hermione's face at the mention of Cho.

"Well I suppose a little waiting never hurt a girl," she murmured, pressing her lips to his.

"I thought we were going to go to bed early tonight," he teased.

Hermione smiled back at him. "Are you complaining about me kissing you Potter?" she asked.

"No, of course not," he said huskily. "But don't go blaming me when you're tired tomorrow."

"I love you, Harry Potter." Hermione said winding her arms around his neck.

"I love you, too," he said, kissing her slowly. His hand went to the buttons on her shirt and he stopped and looked at her with twinkling eyes. "You're wearing my shirt again."

"You say that like it's such a bad thing," she teased, kissing him lightly. "Would you rather have me walk about the house naked?"

"I wouldn't have a problem with it personally," he replied. "Being as we have a houseguest now, she might take issue with it."

"Right," Hermione said, her tone a bit quieter.

"Speaking of Cho, I should probably go check on her before we go any further," Harry said. "She was a little nauseous earlier."

"All right," Hermione slid off him and onto the bed as Harry left the room.

Harry bounded down the stairs and into the living room where Cho had settled down to read when he and Hermione had gone upstairs. "Hey you," he said.

"Hey," she said quietly.

"Shouldn't you be in bed by now Mum?" he teased, sitting next to her.

She didn't smile or laugh at his attempt at humour. Her mind was still on the conversation she'd had with Hermione earlier.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, noticing her downcast expression. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and was dismayed when she began to sob.

"I-I shouldn't have moved in here," she managed to choke out. "I've made things worse for you and Hermione. I try to help and I've only made things worse."

"What are you talking about?" Harry was bewildered. "You haven't done anything wrong!"

She shook her head. "Hermione hates me, Harry."

"That's silly," Harry answered. "She understands about us Cho. She told me so!"

"Yeah, that was before she knew I was your first," Cho said wiping a tear from her cheek. "She was perfectly fine with me until I opened my big mouth!"

"And she still is fine," Harry said gently, grabbing a tissue off the table and giving it to her. "Look... everything is going to be fine. I don't want you getting upset over this. It's not good for the baby to have you so stressed out."

"I'm fine," Cho said dismissively. "And she's not fine, Harry. She came back from her shopping trip with new clothes and a new hairstyle because she thinks that she's not pretty enough for you. And she can say she's doing this for herself all she wants, but I don't think even she believes it."

"I agree with you," Harry replied quietly. "She won't admit it to me but I know you're right. I don't know what else I can say to convince her that she's the only one for me, ever."

"I think I should move out," Cho said. When Harry vehemently shook his head, she put a hand on his arm. "Harry, you know that it's the best solution. When Hermione looked at me this evening, I could almost hear the voice in her head saying 'Harry's seen her naked'."

"You know what- I don't care." Harry said. "I want you where we can keep an eye on you. This is the best place for that!"

"At the expense of your relationship?" Cho asked him.

"Hermione and I aren't going to break up over this," Harry said firmly.

"You won't if I move out," Cho said stubbornly.

"We won't even if you stay here," Harry said. "I will NOT have you living back at the Leaky Cauldron!"

"I'm not going to change your mind, am I?" she asked.

"No." Harry replied. "I want you here Cho. Hermione does too despite all this."

"Okay, okay," Cho said with a sigh. "I'll stay, but Harry, this issue with Hermione...it's not going to go away."

"We will work it out," Harry squeezed her hand.

"We better get to sleep," she said with a yawn. "I've got work tomorrow and you've got training."

"Take it easy," Harry said. "No more stressing over this, over anything."

"Easier said than done," she said, allowing him to help her to her feet.

"Good night," Harry helped her up the stairs and she gave him a half smile as she disappeared into her room; he went back into the one he shared with Hermione. "I thought you'd be asleep by now."

She looked up from her book and smiled. "I was waiting for you."

Harry smiled as he slid next to her, pulling her book out of her hands and putting it on the nightstand. "Can I ask you something?" he said.

"Of course," she answered.

"Are you angry with Cho?" Harry asked directly. "Because she was in tears just now thinking that you hate her."

Hermione's face fell. "I don't hate her, Harry."

"She thinks you do," Harry said. "And that bothers me as well."

She sank back into her pillow and wondered what she could possibly say. She felt terrible for making Cho think that she hated her. Nothing could be further from the truth. "I don't know what you want me to say," she said, avoiding his probing gaze.

"Tell me the truth," Harry stated. "Tell me if you really are angry with her over this. If you're angry at anyone it should be me. I don't want to beat around the bush with this Hermione. I've told you countless times that I love you and that you have nothing to worry about from Cho, Isabella or any other woman. Ever." he added pointedly.

"You want to know the truth?" she asked him. Tears welled up in her eyes, but she hoped to keep them at bay until she'd managed to get this off her chest. "I wish I had a time turner where I could go back to yesterday morning when I didn't care about how I looked or what I didn't have."

She took a long breath before continuing. "I looked at this Isabella person---who's blonde, tall and stunning. Then, I look at Cho---and she's exotic and dark and beautiful. Then, I look at me. And I'm just-- Hermione."

"And you're beautiful," Harry stroked her cheek. "Hermione, I didn't fall in love with you because you are a stunning, exotic beauty. You have a way about you, of confidence, that took me by surprise. That first day I saw you in the parking lot at Hillsdale I could barely take my eyes off you. You have a different kind of gorgeousness about you that most women would kill for, including Isabella."

Hermione didn't know what to say and the tears that she'd been trying to hold off began to fall freely down her cheeks.

"Come here," Harry gathered her tightly in his arms. “I hate it that you don’t believe me when I say that Hermione.”

“I do Harry,” Hermione wiped at her eyes.

“Then why are you so upset?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know,” Hermione whimpered, her face buried in his shoulder. “I’m just scared, deep down that someday you’ll take back what you just said to me and want to leave.”

Harry felt his heart nearly break in two. “Hermione please look at me,” he said, raising her chin with his index finger. “I feel the same way sometimes- that you’ll decide you’re too smart to stay with an idiot bloke like myself. I love you,” he said slowly. “I want to be with you forever.”

He looked so serious and honest that Hermione began to cry again. “I would never want to leave you,” she bawled.

“And I don’t ever want to leave you,” Harry replied, his own eyes slightly damp. “So can we please, please put this behind us now Hermione?”

Hermione nodded. “Okay,” she whispered, finally meaning it. “And I’ll talk to Cho tomorrow.”

“Thank you,” Harry said in relief. He leaned in and kissed her hungrily. “I have to start my new training class tomorrow so I might be a bit late.”

Hermione nodded as they slid underneath the covers together, Harry’s fingers coming up to stroke her new smooth hair. “I love you,” she uttered softly as her eyes closed.

“I love you too,” Harry held her tighter as they both fell asleep.

*** *** ***

Hermione sat at her desk in class, writing notes furiously as the professor droned on and on. She enjoyed her advanced charms class but the teacher was certainly no Flitwick- he liked to hear himself talk more than anything.

“In closing,” the professor said as the bell rang and there was a large scuffle of students getting their things together. “I have some extra credit charms research for any of you looking for a little extra work.”

Hermione’s head shot up and she nearly raced to the front of the room. “What sort of charms research is it Professor?” she asked as Gordon came up on her right side.

“I need these charms researched, the counter charms, and side effects.” He produced a foot long parchment with a long list of charms written on it. “If you’re all willing to work on this we can divvy it up.” He waved his wand and the list immediately divided itself into section. “Pick a partner and have this to me by day after tomorrow.”

Gordon smiled at Hermione. “Shall we?” he asked lightly, picking up one of the lists.

“Of course,” Hermione replied. “What charms have we got?” she pulled his hand down so they could both look. Gordon tried not to be obvious at the pleasure he felt from the scent of her hair and the soft touch of her hand. “These are pretty difficult charms- even though there’s only five on the list it’ll take us a good few hours to do.”

“We should get on it then,” Gordon replied, standing closer.

“Would later today work for you?” Hermione asked, brushing a stray lock of hair from her eyes. “I’ve really got a couple things I have to do at home during this break but later today I’m free.”

“Sure,” Gordon nodded. “Maybe if we get it all done we can catch dinner later?”

“Maybe,” Hermione looked at the parchment again. “We’ll see how late it gets. I want to be home when Harry gets back so I can hear about his new training program.”

“Of course,” Gordon barely suppressed a sneer. “By the way,” he added as they got their books and left the classroom. “Your new hairstyle looks fantastic.”

“Oh, thanks.” Hermione blushed slightly. “Just sort of something I did on a whim yesterday with my cousin.”

Gordon smiled. “Well it does look lovely on you.”

Hermione felt slightly uncomfortable underneath his gaze. “Thanks,” she repeated. “I’ve got to run now- I’ve got to meet Harry and Cho back at the house.” She shoved the parchment in her bag. “I’ll see you next class okay?” she jogged away.

“See you later!” Gordon called after her, shoving his hand in his pocket so she wouldn’t see his tightly clenched fist.

*** *** ***

Cho stared miserably at her hands as she sat at the kitchen table at Harry and Hermione’s house. This was without a doubt the worst day of her life. If she could feel any lower, she’d be scraping the floor.

She’d gotten sacked that day.

She had gone in a half hour before her shift, ready to go and in uniform, charm firmly in place to hide her stomach, when she had been called in by her manager. It seemed that one of her co workers had seen her at the club on Saturday night in all her pregnant glory and immediately had run to rat her out.

Her now ex manager had given her two weeks severance pay and had ordered her immediately off the premises. He had said that she was a disgrace to the pub to try and fool them this way and that she shouldn’t think of getting any good references from him.

So Cho had come back, watching as the charm wore off and her no longer needed work skirt ripped, and cried. She had no idea how long she sat there, her hands rubbing her stomach as tears fell from her eyes until she heard the front door open.

“Harry? Cho?” Hermione called out. She heard some noise in the kitchen and was stunned to see her black haired friend sobbing at the table. “Cho what’s wrong?” Hermione dumped her books and cloak on the counter and rushed to her side.

“Oh Hermione…” Cho bawled. “My life is such a mess!”

“What happened?” Hermione pulled her chair closer and slipped her arm around Cho’s shaking shoulders.

“I got sacked because my boss found out I was pregnant,” Cho sniffed.

“WHAT?” Hermione was shocked. “Did your charm wear off?”

“No, but one of my stupid catty co workers saw us at the club, rather- she saw my pregnant stomach and blabbed first thing today.” Cho said bitterly.

“What a bloody bitch,” Hermione was furious as well. “Are you sure it wasn’t Ginny in disguise?”

Cho let out a weak laugh. “No, but she’s just like her,” she replied. “I don’t know what I’m going to do now for work,” she sighed.

“Don’t worry about working,” Hermione said. “You kick back here and relax.”

Cho looked at Hermione for a long moment. “Are you sure you want me to?” she asked.

“Of course I do,” Hermione replied. “Look…” she dropped her arm from around Cho’s shoulders and looked at her lap. “I’m not angry about what you told me. Really, I’m not. I just was confused but I’m not angry.”

“I don’t want to be a thorn in your side,” Cho replied.

“You are so far from that,” Hermione hugged her. “You’ve been an amazing friend in the short time I’ve known you. You’ve done so much for me and for Harry that I can’t even begin to thank you.”

“I was beginning to feel like you didn’t want me around,” Cho said, hugging her back. “Honestly Hermione, I thought Harry had told you… and I have no romantic feelings for him at all, I swear.”

“You don’t have to convince me,” Hermione said. “I was being a fool, I know I was. Harry loves me and that’s really all I need to know. He would have been forgiving it the shoe was on the other foot.”

“So you didn’t need to change after all,” Cho tried to tease.

“Well,” Hermione pulled her hair around her front. “I actually think I might have done this eventually anyway. It’s so much easier to take care of, especially since I have no time in the mornings to really put it up properly like I did before, now that I have this extra bonus project.”

“It really looks nice,” Cho replied. “You were pretty enough anyway Hermione.”

“Thanks,” Hermione replied. “I appreciate that.” The two women looked at each other and laughed.

“This is nice,” Cho said. “I needed to laugh after this morning.”

“Well… I’ve not got class until three, so what do you say to lunch?” Hermione asked, wanting to cheer her friend up.

“I say yes, me and the little one are absolutely starving,” Cho agreed.

*** *** ***

Every single muscle in Neville's body was hurting. In the past four hours, he'd figured he'd either sprained, strained or tore some vital parts of his body. When he'd signed on for this, he'd known that the physical aspect of it would be tough, but he'd had no idea it would be this tough. To say it was gruelling would have been a gross understatement.

It was lunchtime and there was a plate of food in front of Neville on the coffee table. He, however, didn't think he'd be able to move from his stationery position to pick it up.

Harry, on the other hand, didn't look worse for the wear. He was happily eating away on his own sandwich and seemingly oblivious to his friend's plight. "I hate you right now," Neville said crossly to his friend.

"Why?" Harry looked up innocently.

"We undergo torture for nearly four hours and I'm thinking I'll never be able to move again and you're over there looking as if you went on a marathon run and didn't even break a sweat," Neville said, wincing as he tried once again to sit up.

"Well I do exercise a lot. You know the dancing bit?" Harry asked. "You could have done it but you chose to head up sound instead."

"Because I have two left feet," Neville said simply. "Could you stop being so smug for five minutes and be a mate and hand me that plate?"

Harry bit his lower lip so he wouldn't laugh as he pushed the plate towards his friend. "Would you like me to cut it up for you in slices too?" he asked. "I'm sure I could do that really quickly. I could also feed it to you with a fork."

Neville glared at him. "If I could move, I'd hit you." He finally managed to muster the strength to sit up. "You all ready for this weekend?"

"I guess so," Harry rubbed his neck. "I'm still pissed of all weekends we'll be gone this one."

"Yeah," Neville agreed. The prospect of being away from Cho wasn't one he was looking forward to either.

Harry stuffed last bite of sandwich in his mouth as he heard the front door open. A second or two later Hermione and Cho came into the living room, laughing their heads off about something.

"I can't believe you said that to him!" Cho gasped for breath. "The look on his face was just bloody priceless!"

Neville would have stood up, but he was still quite sore. He cringed when he tried to turn his head in the direction of the girls.

Hermione was laughing so hard she head tears in her eyes. She tried to maintain control as she saw her boyfriend looking at her with a bemused expression on his face.

"What's so funny?" Harry asked, happy to see his two favourite girls in the world laughing and joking around with each other once more.

"Well..." Cho finally calmed down. "This morning was really very bad- I went in to work..." she told them about how she lost her job. "Well Hermione came back from class and we went to lunch, and after that she decided to stop in the Succubus Stop and tell my now ex boss exactly what she thought of him..." she began to laugh again. "It really wasn't all that funny but if you'd seen the look on his face..." she began to tear up from giggling so hard.

"If I could move I'd go give that arse a piece of my mind too," Neville said angrily. "He had no right to sack you. That's discrimination that is!"

Harry nodded. "We can go give him a piece of our minds if you want Cho," he pissed off too but Hermione put her hand on his arm.

"He probably got the message from me," Hermione said smugly. "I think he's learned his lesson."

"What did you say to him?" Harry leaned back and put his arm around Hermione as Cho slid next to Neville as gracefully as she could in her state.

Hermione grinned. "Well first I went in there acting quite nice, and I told him I'd had a wonderful waitress named Cho the last time I was there and I wanted to get her again. He told me she'd decided to 'quit' just that morning and I asked him if that was true, she really seemed to love her job." she paused for a moment. "Then the real reason came out and he actually admitted that they couldn't keep anyone pregnant on staff!"

"I was standing near the door but I heard every word," Cho added. "You should have seen the look on his enormous face! He was practically crying by the time Hermione finished telling him exactly what she thought of him for sacking an expectant mother." Hermione smiled proudly as Harry and Neville laughed.

"Oh, it hurts to laugh," Neville said flinching as Cho situated herself better on the couch.

Hermione looked at Neville. "Why haven't you moved since we walked in the door?"

Harry laughed. "Neville's a bit out of shape."

"Harry's a bit of a bastard," Neville retorted.

Hermione stifled a laugh as she gave Neville a sympathetic smile. "What did they have you guys doing this morning anyway?"

"Every physical thing you could think of... except shagging," Harry said, earning a hard whack on the shoulder from his girlfriend.

"And of course twinkle toes over there did great," Neville said. "I, on the other hand, got lapped twice by the only two girls in our training class."

Harry laughed. "And lapped twice he means."

"You enjoyed that a little too much," Neville said crossly.

"Can you blame me?" Harry snorted. "Watching those two kick your ass was the best entertainment I've had all day!"

"Ha, ha, ha," Neville said sarcastically. "Well, at least, I don't have a shadow following me everywhere we go. You two won't believe this, but even in our training class, Harry has his own little fan club of one."

"Really," Hermione said.

Harry glared at Neville. "It's just this one girl," he shrugged as he pulled Hermione closer. "Bit annoying really."

"Megan Reilly," Neville related to the two girls. "And she's been fawning over Harry since we began. She's always offering to get him a towel and asking if he'll give her some extra help. In fact, as she was passing me, I noticed that her eyes weren't on the finish line, but on Harry's arse."

Harry felt Hermione sneak her arms around his waist. "Everyone wants a piece of you love," she smiled and Harry was almost relieved at her cavalier attitude, for it meant she had finally given up that ridiculous notion that she wasn't pretty enough for him.

"Well there's only one witch in this world allowed to have me," he grinned.

"Allowed to have him?" Cho repeated sardonically. "Hermione, you may have to build on to this place to accommodate your boyfriend's rather large ego."

"Ha, ha Cho, you're so funny," Harry wove his fingers in with Hermione's. "How was your day other than telling off Cho's boss?"

"Same old, same old," Hermione answered. Her face brightened a bit as she remembered the project. "Oh, I'm going to be doing some charms research for one of my professors. It's going to be an awful lot of work, but I'm really looking forward to it."

"That's great," Harry replied. "I know you love all that extra credit."

Hermione blushed. "It's really interesting. Gordon thinks it'll be time consuming, but I can tell he's just as excited about it as I am."

Harry's face fell slightly at the mention of the other man but he held his tongue. "When do you start work?" he asked instead.

Hermione looked absently down at her watch, but when she glanced the time, her mouth dropped open. "I was supposed to meet him in the library twenty minutes ago!"

Harry watched as she literally flew off the sofa. "Hermione calm down!" he said.

She didn't hear him as she quickly gathered up her books and threw them haphazardly into her bag. With a quick peck on the cheek to Harry she quickly made her way out the door.

Harry shook his head. "She gets entirely too worked up over this stuff sometimes." he grabbed his empty plate. "I see you two made up just fine," he looked at Cho.

Cho nodded happily. "She was really great to me when she came home this afternoon. I think we're okay now."

"Good," Harry replied. "You ready to head back in a minute Neville?"

"Not really," Neville grumbled. "If this afternoon is anything like this morning, I figure I'll be taking up permanent residence at St. Mungo's."

Cho laughed as Harry took their plates into the kitchen. "You'll be okay," she said, moving her hands to his shoulders and rubbing them.

"That feels quite nice actually," he said relaxing.

She continued to massage his aching shoulders and they sat there in silence, the only sound coming from the kitchen where Harry was busily washing the dishes. "Do you have anything planned for tomorrow evening?" he asked her finally.

"Now that I'm jobless, no." Cho replied.

Neville laughed. "How about you let me take you to dinner?"

"That sounds good to me," Cho replied, continuing to massage him as best she could. "Where do you want to go?"

"My Gran really wants to meet you," he said, turning slowly around to face her. He grimaced at the pain such a small movement caused him.

"Does she? Or did you want her to meet me?" Cho asked. "Neville, what's this going to look like- you bringing your pregnant girlfriend home? She's got to know the baby isn't yours."

"I haven't exactly mentioned that you were pregnant," Neville admitted sheepishly. "But she does want to meet you and I want you to meet her."

Cho sighed and sat back down. "She's not going to think I'm good enough for you- especially now with what you've just told me." She pushed a lock of glossy black hair over her shoulder. "What if she doesn't want you to be with me?"

Neville put a hand on her arm. "Cho, she's going to love you just like I do. I'll admit she's not the easiest person to get to know..."

"She used to hit girls with her umbrella if they got too near you on the platform when we used to catch the train for school," Cho pointed out.

"That was years ago," he said flippantly.

Cho sighed. "Look... if you really want me to come meet your Gran then I will." she conceded.

Neville smiled. "You mean it? You really want to go?"

"For you I'll do just about anything Longbottom," Cho said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Could you keep doing what you were doing before?" he asked cheekily. "Because that was quite nice actually."

"I thought you had to get back to training," Cho replied laughingly.

"You sure no how to kick a bloke when he's down," Neville said with a chuckle. "Well, if you can't do that...could you do something else for me?"

"Sure," Cho replied.

"Help me up?" he asked her seriously.

7. Chapter 7

A/N: A quick thank you to all those who took the time to leave a review. We managed to respond to most of them, so be sure and check them out when you get a chance!!

This is sort of a filler chapter- but we get an appearance by the always lovely *snickers* Ginny and all that fun stuff.

And thank you to Harmony and Catianna Granger for pointing out a rather big oops on our part- pumpkin pie to you for being more observant than us!!!

Ron set the price sheets aside as he rang up the sale for a teen. "Headed to Hogwarts?" he asked.

The surly looking boy rolled his eyes and stared at Ron as if he was the stupidest creature on the planet. "School started weeks ago," the boy said crossly.

"Well sorry," Ron was going to throw in an extra gag or two but decided against it. "Whatever you do, don't give that cream puff to someone you like," he called a bit snidely, knowing a teen like that would do the opposite.

Ginny Weasley stared at the front door to her brothers' joke shop and wondered if she was making a mistake in visiting them. Draco had left her here a few moments ago as he had to go to Gringotts and she'd told him she was just going to do some window shopping. As if on instinct, her feet had led her to her twin brothers' joke shop. She hadn't seen them in such a long time. If she was being honest, she'd missed them all more than she'd thought possible.

Ron busied himself with setting up a shelf of new gags that Fred and George had left him with when the bell over the door rang. He turned around with a pleasant smile on his face which died immediately when he saw who it was. "Hello Ginny," he said coolly.

"Ron," Ginny said in an equally icy tone.

"What do you want?" Ron asked.

"I wanted to see Fred and George," she said, folding her arms. "Are they here?"

"No actually they're not, and they probably wouldn't want to see you anyways after what you did to Mum," Ron replied.

"What I did to Mum?" she asked. "I think her youngest son had a hand in it, too. Wouldn't you say?"

"Don't you dare try and pin this on me Ginevra," Ron said, using her full name which he knew she hated. "You're the one who decided she needed to shag Malfoy then steal money and jewellery from other people to frame someone!" Ron kept his voice low. "You have no idea how many nights she's cried over you choosing to live with that prat instead of coming home and facing up to your actions!"

Ginny's face fell at the mention of her mother. Though she'd told herself she had no regrets other than getting caught, she knew that one of the main reasons she didn't go home was because she didn't want to see the disappointment in her mother's eyes. "Is she okay?" Ginny asked weakly.

"She's getting better," Ron replied shortly. "She'd be a lot better if you'd owl her or even just go see her."

Ginny let out a hollow laugh. "You wouldn't believe the number of letters I've started to her. I...don't know what to say, Ron. Despite what you may think of me, I don't like that what I did caused her pain. I'm not so heartless that I get enjoyment out of making her sad."

"Right," Ron replied doubtfully. "I'm sure you thought of that repeatedly when you stole from people and framed Harry for it. The only thing you're sorry about is that you got caught."

Ginny sighed. She and Ron stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. "How's Dad?" she finally asked. "Still going crazy over Muggle stuff?"

"The same as always," Ron replied. "Look I'm really busy, so if you've got nothing other than to try and make idle chat then—"

"I'm leaving in a couple of days," she interjected.

Ron regarded his sister for a moment. "Where to?" he couldn't help asking.

"Sydney," she replied. "Draco's going to go to school and I'm going to get a job at one of the hotels there."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "You're leaving just like that?"

"No reason to stay," she said simply. "I'm the black sheep of the family, remember?"

"You should still go see Mum and tell her goodbye." Ron said sternly.

"Its better this way," Ginny reasoned. "She'd only try and talk me into staying and..." Ginny began to sob as she thought about leaving the only home she'd ever known to fly to a place where she knew no one. She hadn't even told Draco how frightened she was.

Ron felt himself soften a bit as he came around the counter and surprised both of them by giving Ginny a hug. "Look Gin..." he said. "If Malfoy treats you bad you know you can always come home right?"

Ginny wrapped her arms around her brother and nodded. "Do you remember what we used to say when Fred and George would gang up on us?" she asked softly. "We used to say 'It's you and me against the world'. Sometimes I wish I could go back and change things. D-do you ever feel like that?"

"Sometimes," Ron replied. "Sometimes I really do."

Ginny stepped out of Ron's embrace and wiped a tear from her cheek. "I really am sorry, Ron. And not just for getting caught...for all of it."

"I am too." Ron ruffled her hair like he used to. "I miss you Ginny. I know if you decided to visit Mum wouldn't toss you out on your ear. I don't think at this point she'd even lecture you. She'd just be happy to see you and know you're okay."

Ginny gave him a hopeful smile. "Maybe. I'll try and stop by before we go." She absently wiped another tear from her cheek and looked at her brother. "So how are you doing?"

"Great," Ron said. "Luna and I are really happy together, Harry and Hermione have moved in with one another and Neville and Cho are working through her pregnancy together."

"Things are as they should be then," Ginny said. She wondered how things would have been if she hadn't turned out the way she had. She'd probably be mentioned in that little group, too. But, as Draco often told her, it didn't do anyone any good to go thinking about what might have been or what could have been. He was always telling her to live in the now and to think about the future. It was easy for him to say, she thought sombrely. "I really should go," she said softly.

"Keep in touch will you?" Ron asked as she turned to leave.

Ginny had her hand on the door and she turned slowly around. "You'd read my letters, would you? Wouldn't throw them unread in the fireplace?"

"Of course I wouldn't." Ron replied.

"Okay," Ginny said with a smile. "I'll write you, then. Goodbye, Ron."

"Bye Gin," he said, watching as she left. He sighed when she disappeared and busied himself with the display again only to hear the bell ring once more. "Forget something?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so," a familiar voice said from behind, that was most definitely not his sister's.

"Luna!" Ron grinned. "I didn't know you would be coming by here today!"

"Neither did I," she said with a mischievous smile. "But I had an interview nearby and it finished early so I thought I'd check in and see what you were up to."

"Not much," Ron led her behind the counter. "But you'll never believe who just came in here!"

"Oh! I love guessing games!" she said excitedly. "Was it Dolores Umbridge? No, she's in Azkaban. Let's see... Parvati Patil? No, never pictured her for a joke shop..."

"My sister," Ron interrupted her. "Ginny was just here."

The smile faded from Luna's face. "Ginny? What on earth was she doing here?"

"Apparently she and Malfoy are moving to Sydney and she wanted to see my brothers before she left. I think I convinced her to go see Mum before she took off." Ron sighed and sat down. "She told me she's sorry for everything that happened."

Luna looked unconvinced. "And you believed her?"

"Luna she's my sister," Ron replied. "No matter what she did... I still care about her. She was crying when she said they were leaving. She's obviously terrified about moving away."

"I’m sorry," Luna said sincerely. "It's hard not to think the worst wherever she's concerned. But, it sounds as if you made some progress with her."

"I hope so," Ron said. "I mean... I do miss having her around despite what she's become like... she's still a Weasley deep down and she's a family girl." he blew his fringe up. "I hope she's happy with that prat is all. If he mistreats her I'll have no problems finding them in Sydney and castrating him."

"You know you're quite handsome when you're in protective mode," she teased.

Ron grinned at her. "And apparently I'm quite handsome in naked mode too according to a certain blonde I know and love." he leaned in for a kiss.

"Well, you'll have to make do on your own Saturday night," she said a few minutes later after she'd been properly snogged. "Girls night out, remember?"

"Yeah I know," Ron groaned. "It'll be a long lonely night for me. Harry and Neville will be out of town and you'll all be doing girly things."

"You're probably right," she said. "Are you all alone here? I was hoping to steal you away for a quick lunch."

"I am," he replied. "Fred and George are in Hogsmeade for the day checking out that shop."

"Oh, well," she said, looking at her watch. "I probably wouldn't have been able to spend more than a few minutes with you anyway. I have to get back to the office and finish my article. I'll probably just pop next door and get a sandwich. You want me to bring you something by on my way out?"

"If you want to," Ron replied. "I don't want you to go out of your way."

"It's right next door, silly," she said with a giggle.

"All right then," he gave her another kiss. "Thanks."

"I'll be right back," she said, not bothering to ask what he wanted. She knew his tastes pretty well by now and there wasn't much that he wouldn't eat.

When she came back minutes later with a sandwich Ron was so grateful he pulled her into the back room for a very thorough snog. "You are just what the medi-wizard ordered Ms. Lovegood," he grinned.

"It must be love," she teased, as he planted kisses along her neck. "You haven't even looked at your sandwich."

"It's most definitely love," Ron replied as he pulled his lips from her skin. "You taste better than any sandwich ever could."

"Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?" she asked.

"Can't I just be romantic for a change?" he asked, pretending to be injured.

"By all means, Ronald," she said. "Though the back room of a joke shop isn't the most romantic setting in the world…" She cupped his face in her hands. "But I've always believed that it didn't matter the setting. All that matters is who you're with and anytime I'm with you...that's romantic enough for me."

Ron grinned before he kissed her again, letting his hands wander down her backside, bringing her shirt back up with his fingers. Just as he was about to pull it off her that blasted bell rang from the front of the shop. "Hey you! You told me to give this cream puff to someone I liked!" the sullen teenager was back.

Luna laughed as Ron groaned in frustration. "Foiled again!" she said, straightening her blouse.

"Later?" Ron asked.

"Later," she agreed.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Hermione let herself into the flat and yawned. She dropped her bag by the door and knew that she should probably study a little for her transfiguration exam tomorrow, but she was so drained from the charms research she and Gordon did that she couldn't bear to look at another book tonight. She resolved to get up an hour or two earlier than she usually did to do some last minute cramming for the test.

As she climbed the stairs toward the bedroom, she yawned again. She could hear her nice, comfortable cosy bed calling her name. To her surprise, the bedroom door was open and Harry was sitting in bed going over some of his training books.

"Hey," she said, smiling when she saw him. "I didn't expect you to be home."

"I've been home for awhile," Harry replied.

"Early night?" she asked, sitting on the edge of the bed and taking off her shoes.

"Kind of..." Harry turned the page. "They let us out so we could start looking over these new books."

Hermione nodded and went into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. A few moments later, she came back into the bedroom clad in pyjama pants and a camisole top. "How's Neville?" she asked, clearing away some of Harry's books so she could climb under the cover.

"He's fine, just sore." Harry replied. "Cho was massaging him after you ran out this afternoon."

"I didn't run out," Hermione said defensively.

"You looked like your arse was on fire," Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. "Did I?"

"You did," Harry marked his page. "Not that I was really looking or anything..."

"We actually accomplished quite a bit tonight," Hermione said. "But Gordon thinks we should work on it some more this weekend. I've got plans with the girls on Saturday, but he's going to come by on Sunday and we'll try and muddle through the rest."

"Hmm," Harry was less than impressed by the fact that Gordon would be in their home while he wasn't.

"I would have been home sooner, but he and I just got so wrapped up in what we were doing," Hermione explained. "I honestly think he could do this stuff in his sleep, he's that talented."

"That's great," Harry turned off the light on his side of the bed.

Hermione turned off the lamp on her side of the bed as well and closed her eyes. A few moments later, she bolted up quickly. "Harry?" she asked, nudging him.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"Could you set the alarm for five instead of seven?" she whispered. "I need to get up a couple hours earlier." She heard him sigh heavily. "The clock is on your side," she pointed out.

"Fine..." he grumbled. He was exhausted himself, both from fending off Megan's advances and his studies. He didn't have to start until later the next day and now he would be woken up early.

"Is anything wrong?" she asked, barely making out his figure in the darkness. She could hear him jabbing impatiently on the buttons of the alarm clock.

"No, I'm just really tired." Harry said. "That silly bint at training isn't making things easy either."

"What did good old Megan do now?" Hermione asked.

Harry finished setting the clock and lay back down. "She's just annoying. To be honest, even if I wasn't with you she's not the type of person I'd look twice at."

"She does have excellent taste in men," Hermione teased as she turned on her side.

Harry smiled. "What can I say?" he boasted.

"I think Cho's right," Hermione said, trying not to laugh. "We might have to think about building on to accommodate your ego."

"Sod off," Harry reached over for her. "When I get back next week we'll pick a night to celebrate your birthday all right?"

"If you and Megan don't have plans," Hermione said giggling. Harry decided to retaliate by tickling her.

"You'd better watch what you say Granger," Harry replied amidst her laughter.

"Stop, Harry!" she said chortling. "You know I hate it when you do this!”

"Do what?" Harry asked devilishly.

"T-tickle me," she said before hiccupping.

Harry started laughing. "I told you to watch what you say."

Hermione reached beside her and grabbed a pillow and promptly hit Harry upside the head with it. "And you should watch what you do," she said, rolling with laughter at the stunned expression on Harry's face.

"What are you going to do about it?" he challenged.

"This," she said boldly, grabbing hold of his t-shirt and bringing him down on top of her.

Harry kissed her hungrily as he'd been dying to all day. When they'd been set to do laps at training he focused his mind on her, imagining she was at the finish line cheering him on. "I missed you today," he murmured as her hands began to travel over his skin. “You have no idea how much.”

"Show me," she whispered.

Harry did as she said; kissing her with a passion that surprised them both. "I thought I was tired," he said softly. "But I think you've just given me a second wind."

"Have I?" she said proudly. "I was just thinking the same thing about you."

All thoughts about her test tomorrow and the research she'd done tonight began to fade away as she again felt Harry's lips on hers.

His hands trailed down over her smooth skin, lifting up the camisole she was wearing. He kissed wherever he exposed her to the air, making her body lift up and down in pleasure.

Hermione's head rolled back onto the pillow as she felt him work his way down to her pyjama bottoms and slowly began to ease them from her body.

Harry tossed her clothing to the floor, moving back on top of her as he kissed the valley between her breasts, cupping one with his hand as he moved his mouth over the other.

She let out a slight moan as she wondered if he was deliberately trying to torture her with how slow and meticulous his every movement was. Harry let out a gasp as she moved her hand down, running her finger delicately along his manhood. "Hermione..." he choked.

"What?" she said softly.

"Keep doing that..." he was barely able to let the words out of his mouth before she leaned up and kissed him as hard as she could.

Hermione wrapped her legs around his hips as they exchanged long, wet kisses. She tightened her legs around him as she felt him slide slowly inside her.

He thrust deeply into her, his mouth firmly affixed to hers as they moaned together. Harry felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise as she shuddered around him, his name escaping her lips in a mixture of a sigh and gasp.

"Merlin, Hermione I love you," he said his voice gone husky.

"I love you," she whispered breathlessly into his neck.

Harry collapsed on top of her as she said that, rolling off to her side. Hermione moved willingly into his arms as his fingers stroked through her hair. "You tire me out woman," he joked, his eyes closed.

"My pleasure," she said sleepily.

*** *** ***

Harry awoke feeling quite satisfied the next morning. He stretched himself luxuriously and smiled at the sleeping figure next to him. He brushed back a few strands of her hair so he could look at her. Harry was glad she'd finally dropped the situation with Isabella and Cho, and her idea that she wasn't pretty enough- if she had seen him in his gawky phase she'd have probably turn and run the other way. He turned back around and reached for his glasses, then blinked as he slid them on, hoping what he saw on the clock was wrong.

"Shit!" he said aloud. "Hermione wake up!"

"Hmmm?" she said sleepily. "Five more minutes." With that she closed her eyes again and snuggled closer to him.

"No Hermione- it's eight thirty!" Harry said. "The bloody alarm didn't go off and your exam is in a half hour!"

Her eyes shot open just then and she looked at him squarely to see if he was having a go with her. Just then, she looked over his shoulder and saw the time. "I thought you set the alarm!" she exclaimed, pulling the cover back and getting out of bed.

"I did!" Harry replied. "It's bloody stupid though you have to hit this button then that!"

She didn't answer him fearing that talking would take up valuable time. At the moment, she was so angry at him she couldn't see straight. With breakneck speed, she threw on a pair of knickers and her bra. She walked over to the closet and couldn't resist shooting Harry an irritated look.

"I'm sorry!" Harry was contrite. "I really thought I'd set it correctly!"

"Yeah, I'm sure you did," she retorted sarcastically, pulling a red jumper over her head. "Do you have any idea why I wanted you to set the alarm? I have a huge test in less than twenty minutes that I am not prepared for in the slightest. But as long as you can enjoy your lie-in...What harm's done?"

Harry sighed. "I'm sorry I said that last night and I'm sorry I messed up the alarm!" he said. "I honestly thought I had it set for five. I wouldn't intentionally do this to you Hermione." he crossed his arms.

Hermione sat down on the edge of the bed to put on her jeans. She looked at him and she could see that he was genuinely upset about the mistake. "I know you didn't," she said, her tone much softer. "It's my own fault. I should have stayed up last night and studied, but I was so bloody tired when I got home... and then we…”

Harry relaxed. "You'll do fine, I know you will." he replied. "You're the smartest person I know."

She shook her head. "I wasn't very smart last night, not at all."

Harry reached for her and hugged her briefly. "You'll do fine." he said, giving her a quick chaste kiss. "That's for luck."

"I'm going to need it," she said with a slight smile. "I'll see you later." She quickly put on her shoes and grabbed her cloak and bag and left the room without a glance back at Harry.

Harry fell back against the pillows, feeling terrible. Even in his bad mood last night he should have set the alarm right... and then she had kissed him and it had all gone to hell from there.

Hermione made it to her class just in time. The professor was just about to close the door when she called out to him and luckily, he'd allowed her entrance. She struggled to catch her breath as she took her seat beside Gordon who gave her a concerned look. She gave him a slight smile before turning her attention to the professor.

In all her years as a student, she'd never dreaded taking tests. She knew as well as anyone that there was always a first time for everything. She just hoped that this wouldn't be the first test she'd ever failed. As she scanned the questions, a sense of panic came over her. This was going to be bad. This was going to be very, very bad.

*** *** ***

Lavender was sitting in a booth at The Leaky Cauldron with her sketch book waiting for Seamus to arrive. They were meeting here for an early lunch. Lavender had chosen this place since it was near Madam Malkin's. If the morning was any indication of how her day was going to go, Lavender knew the day would be perfect.

Madam Malkin had just told her that she was going to allow Lavender to design some dress robes for the winter collection. She'd been so excited about the opportunity; she'd brought her sketch book along so she could jot down some ideas while she waited for Seamus.

Seamus hummed cheerfully as he entered The Leaky Cauldron. He called out a hello to Tom as he saw Lavender sitting near the corner. "Hallo Lav," he said, sliding in across from her.

"Hi," she said beaming at him. "You'll never guess what happened to me!"

"What?" Seamus grinned at the overly large smile on her face. "Something good I reckon?"

"Yes," she said happily. "Care to venture a guess at who will be helping design the winter collection of dress robes for the well-dressed witches and wizards of the greater London area?"

"You're kidding me!" Seamus's jaw dropped.

"I couldn't believe it when Madam Malkin told me," she said. "And you, Mr. Finnigan, should feel quite honoured as you were the first person to hear my good news."

"I am quite honoured," Seamus smiled. "This is absolutely fantastic!"

"When I was hired, I thought I was just going to help her sell clothes," Lavender said, leaning back on the bench seat. "I can't believe she's actually going to let me design...this is like my dream come true. And she really cares about what I think, Seamus. She listens to my ideas and she actually thinks I have some talent."

"That's the best news I've heard all day," He looked at the pad in front of her. "Are those your sketches?"

"Yes," she said, blushing a bit. Instinctively, she closed the book, but was taken aback when he grabbed hold of her hand. "You really want to look at them?" she asked shyly.

"I do," Seamus nodded. "Please?"

"Okay," she said, handing him the book. "But, they're just rough ideas...not anything I'm committed to yet. And keep in mind that I'm a beginner so..."

"Come here and sit next to me so you can explain everything," Seamus interrupted her as he moved over. Lavender slid in next to him and as they flipped through her sketches she told him anything he might have wanted to know about the drawings.

He couldn't help but notice how animated she was when she was talking about something she loved, and it made his heart beat faster. Since she had finally let go of any inhibitions she might have had about their relationship, they had begun to have a wonderful time doing things together.

"This one here," she said, pointing to a beautiful set of periwinkle blue robes, "is something I've actually been working on for Hermione's birthday. I'm planning on giving them to her on Saturday. I've been working on them for ages."

"That's gorgeous," he said, squeezing her hand which he had taken into his a few minutes before. "She'll absolutely love those."

Lavender looked down at their joined hands and felt even happier, if that was possible. "You have really nice hands," she heard herself blurt out.

"What?" Seamus asked, laughing.

Lavender blushed. "Merlin, did I say that out loud?"

"Yes," Seamus's eyes twinkled. "Very good of you to think I have nice hands."

"My dad used to say that if you wanted to tell the character of a man, you should look at his hands," she explained. "When you held my hand, I just...noticed that yours were quite nice...like you."

"Thanks," Seamus smiled. "You know, I just realised I forgot to do something."

"What's that?" she asked, closing up her sketch book.

Seamus leaned forward and before she could even comprehend what was going on, he kissed her. "I'm very proud of you Lavender," he said when they broke apart.

"Really?" she asked, feeling a goofy smile spreading across her face, both from his compliment and the way that kiss made her feel.

"I am," he cupped her cheek. "I know you've been working towards something like this, even if you never said anything about it."

"You're the only other person I've showed my sketches too besides Madam Malkin," she admitted.

"Once again, quite honoured." He gave her another quick kiss.

"I've just gone on and on about myself and haven't even bothered to ask how your day's been," she said, resting her head on his shoulder. "How's the world of film school, young Mr. Finnigan?"

"Just grand," Seamus answered. "I've got a class in lighting techniques at three which I basically feel like I'm teaching. I learned a lot more at Hillsdale than I thought I did."

"You're really talented," Lavender gushed. Suddenly her eyes grew large and she grabbed hold of his arm. "You know what would be so cool? What if some day, you were this big time director and I was this world class costume designer? We could work together!"

Seamus laughed. "I fear you'd hate working for me love. I'm a bit of a slave driver on the set."

"I think I could handle you," she said matter-of-factly.

"Oh you do, do you?" Seamus asked.

"Yes, I do," she replied. "You wouldn't even know what hit you."

Seamus grinned even wider. "You'd be taking on an awfully big challenge Ms. Brown."

"Oh really?" Lavender said, raising an eyebrow at him. "Well, I think I'm up to it. Because, I'll let you in on a little secret, I'd know just what to do to shut you up."

"What's what?" Seamus asked, still grinning.

"This," she said, tilting her head toward him and giving him a kiss. When they broke apart a few moments later, she grinned triumphantly at him. "What do you think of that?"

"Shut me up again please," Seamus replied.

8. Chapter 8

A/N: Thanks again to all of you who took the time to review. It’s been a hectic couple of days for both of us but rest assured, your reviews will be answered this time around.

And our prayers and thoughts go out to all of you in the path of Hurricane Francis! Good luck to all you guys! Stay safe!!!

Hermione knew the exam results wouldn't be given back to them until the next day but she absolutely could not wait so after her last class she doubled back and headed towards her transfiguration classroom and pleaded with her professor for her results.

"You did quite well Ms. Granger," the professor said, turning through a few pages. “You only missed a question or two."

"I missed a few?" Hermione felt her stomach plummet. She grabbed the exam paper away and leafed through it.

"Only a few," the professor nodded. "I do believe Gordon Devereaux was the only person to get full marks on this one."

"Thank you sir," Hermione left the classroom and angrily stuffed the exam in her bag. "Damn it damn it damn it!" she cursed. She was still ticked off as she got home, slamming the front door behind her, startling Cho, who was sitting in the kitchen with some juice.

"Rough day?" Cho asked.

"You have no bloody idea." Hermione snapped. "Is Harry home?"

Cho gave her a friend a concerned look. "Um, yeah… They had an early day today. He went upstairs a few minutes ago and said something about taking a shower."

Hermione sighed as she sat down hard in a chair. "I did horribly on an exam." she said.

Cho sighed in relief. "The way you were carrying on I thought it was something serious."

"This IS serious," Hermione said. "I've never done horribly on an exam in my life!"

Cho stared at her. "Never?"

"Never," Hermione affirmed. "And if Harry had set the bloody alarm then I would have done perfectly on it!" she pulled the test from her bag for Cho to see.

Cho leafed through the exam and couldn't help laughing. "Hermione, you didn't do horribly! You missed two questions!"

"I know that's exactly it!" Hermione snatched it back.

"Most people would kill to miss only two questions," Cho said. She knew of course that Hermione was smart, but she had no idea she took it this seriously. "Are you telling me that you always get top marks?"

"Always," Hermione stressed her answer. Harry chose that unfortunate moment to walk in the kitchen and Cho excused herself, not wanting to be around when the fireworks went off.

Harry couldn't remember when he'd last seen Cho walk so fast to get out of a room. This was saying quite a bit as she'd taken to waddling lately wherever she went. He walked over to Hermione and kissed her on the forehead. He didn't notice the angry expression on her face as he breezed past her and set about pulling out a bag of crisps from the pantry.

"I hope you're satisfied," she finally said tightly as he sat down with his food.

He looked properly at her and for the first time saw that she wasn't too happy and the way she was staring at him, he had to be the cause. He suddenly remembered her exam. "Hermione, I-" he began.

"I missed TWO questions!" she interrupted. "I never miss two questions on ANYTHING!"

"Was it a three question test or something?" he asked, wondering why she was getting so worked up over this.

"That is NOT the point!" Hermione sat back down in a huff.

He leaned back in the chair. "Could you tell me what is the point?"

"The point is, I got distracted and failed to wake up in time to study properly..." she must have looked like she was going to cry because he moved his chair over and put his arm around her. "And now I'm not number one in the class anymore!"

"Just because you missed two questions?" he asked. "That doesn't sound very fair." He'd meant to try and make her laugh, but she obviously wasn't in the mood for humour. "Hermione," He said calmly. "This isn't so bad. You'll just study really hard for the next one and then you'll be number one again."

"No..." Hermione shook her head. "I'm going to have to get a tutor."

"Why would you have to do that?" he asked her. "I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. You did poorly on ONE test."

"And one test can make or break your grade!" Hermione replied. "Harry you wouldn't understand. Cho told me how you never took your schoolwork seriously until you found out the requirements for the Auror program!"

"How did I get dragged into this?" he asked her, thinking her reasoning was a little unfair. "I understand this is important to you, but you're really not thinking clearly, Hermione. How about I take you upstairs and run you a bath and you can just---what?"

"I don't have time for something so frivolous," Hermione replied. "I have to go talk to Gordon."

"Gordon?" Harry asked. "Why do you need to go see him?"

"Because he's the best person to arrange to be my tutor," Hermione explained.

Before he could stop himself, Harry blurted out, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"What?" Hermione stopped stuffing her books back in her bag. "Why not?"

Harry debated whether he should tell her his theory about the true intentions of Gordon Devereaux. He didn't want to make her any angrier than she obviously already was. Deciding to try another tact, he arose from his chair and walked over to her. "Come on upstairs with me?" he asked her playfully. "Let me at least try and take your mind off of this."

"Harry," Hermione stood firm. "I can't. I really need to get my marks back up."

The smile on his face fell. "Okay, I'll wait up for you then. When you get back from meeting with Gordon..."

Hermione nodded and tossed her bag back over her shoulder. It wasn't until she got to the doorway of the kitchen that she finally saw the look on her boyfriend's face. "Look... Harry... it's not that I'm trying to push you away here. It's just that my marks are so important to me, and I'll never be Minister for Magic unless I'm the absolute best."

"Hermione," he said. "You missed two questions on a test. I hate to see you beating yourself up over something that in the long run isn't going to mean much."

"It means a lot to me," Hermione answered. "This is just until the next test. I have to be absolutely prepared for it."

"What's just until the next test?" he asked confused. "Wait a minute...are you saying that we can't..."

"Harry I need all my time and concentration for my studies right now." Hermione said.

Harry wanted to laugh. She had to be joking.

"I'm glad you find this so funny. I'd be supportive of you if it was the other way around." Hermione said crossly.

"I don't think this is funny," Harry said quickly. "You...you just do what you have to do. Whatever you decide, I'll support you. I might not like your methods, but I'll support you."

Hermione softened as she looked at him, slumped over slightly at the table. "I'm sorry," she said. "I do tend to get a little fanatical over my studies. It used to drive Lavender crazy."

If this was a little fanatical he'd hate to see what she was like in full-blown fanatical mode. He, of course, didn't say this. Instead, he got up from his chair and crossed the room. Standing in front of her, he gave her his most charming smile. "Would it be within the boundaries to give you a kiss goodbye at least?" he asked. "I promise not to overstep my bounds."

Hermione couldn't help but grin. "You may," she answered.

"Alright," he said, promptly kissing her chastely on each cheek. "How's that?"

"Horribly lame, Potter." Hermione replied.

"You're right," he said, running a hand up and down her arm. "I can do much better than that. I was just testing you, Granger."

She opened her mouth to respond, but didn't get a chance as he leaned in and kissed her hard and deep, his tongue searching and sensual. He felt a sense of triumph as he felt her arms encircle his waist.

"Better?" he asked a moment later when they broke apart.

"Uh..." Hermione was stunned. "Yes." she managed.

"Don't be too late," he said softly.

"I won't stay out long," Hermione said dazedly. She turned towards the door. "Why am I leaving again?"

"Exam...two questions wrong...tutor," Harry answered, trying not to laugh. "Ringing any bells?"

"Oh yes," Hermione turned away again but then looked at him. "You're a horrid influence Potter."

"I try," he said, winking at her. "I try."

"You've succeeded." Hermione said, still standing in the doorway.

When he didn't hear the door closing behind her, he poked his head out from the kitchen. "Not having second thoughts, are you? Because if you were thinking of ditching this Gordon, I'd be happy to exert my horrid influence on you again."

Hermione had to quite literally force herself to leave the house. "Damn rotting bugger he is," she said with a smile.

*** *** ***

Cho nervously straightened a lock of her hair. "Are you sure I look all right? Maybe I should have put that concealment charm back on my stomach." she rubbed her protruding belly. "I look a mess with this pregnancy."

“You look beautiful," Neville said, feeling a little nervous himself. He'd never brought a girl home to meet her before and he honestly didn't know how well this would go over. But, seeing as Cho was a part of his life now and hopefully would be for quite some time, there was no way around it. "Ready?" he asked, leading her slowly up the front steps to the house.

"As ready as I can be," Neville gave her another reassuring look as he rang the doorbell. "Kiss me for luck?" she asked.

He bent his head and kissed her softly. "You'll be great, Cho."

"Okay," she let her lips linger on his a moment but pulled away when the door opened in front of them.

"What on earth are you doing ringing the doorbell of your own home?" Mrs. Longbottom said snappishly to her grandson.

"Gran, I'd like you to meet Cho Chang," Neville said, ignoring his Gran's opening words. "Cho, this is my Gran."

"Lovely to meet you," Cho said, holding out the bunch of flowers they'd picked up at a corner market along the way.

Mrs. Longbottom stared at Cho as if she'd offered her a handful of slugs instead of a bouquet of flowers. Reluctantly, she took the flowers. "Thank you," she said. "Please come inside."

Neville and Cho stepped inside the house; he took the cloak off his girlfriend's shoulders. "What's for dinner tonight Gran?" he asked.

Mrs. Longbottom didn't hear Neville's question as she was looking squarely at Cho's bulging stomach.

"I... I'm pregnant," Cho burst out before she could stop herself. "But Mrs. Longbottom, it wasn't Neville so--"

"Forgive me for looking surprised, Miss Chang," Mrs. Longbottom said mustering a smile. "My grandson didn't tell me you were with child."

"Yes, since this summer," Cho murmured, looking to Neville for help.

"And the father of this child?" Mrs. Longbottom asked probingly. "He's not in the picture?" Neville stared in disbelief at his grandmother. This wasn't going at all like he'd hoped. He saw the helpless look Cho was shooting him, but he honestly didn't know what to say.

"No, he's not." Cho replied. "He... left me as soon as he found out I was pregnant."

"I see," she replied, her forced smile still on her face. An uncomfortable silence followed. "I'll just go and put these in water," Mrs. Longbottom finally said. "Why don't you show your...friend...to the dining room, Neville?"

Cho finally let out a breath as Mrs. Longbottom left them. "That didn't go over very well did it?" she asked.

"It's my fault," Neville said dejectedly. "I should have told her about the pregnancy before..."

“But she probably would have thought you were the father and then what would she be thinking of me?" Cho seemed close to tears.

"Shhhh," Neville said, kissing her forehead. "Come on, now. It's going to be fine. She just needs to get the chance to know you, Cho. Trust me; she's going to love you nearly as much as I do."

"Okay," Cho leaned against him as he helped her sit down as Mrs. Longbottom came back in, setting the flowers in the middle of the table.

"Neville tells me you are a dancer," Mrs. Longbottom said as she sat down.

"Oh well, yes... normally I am." Cho replied. "My partner is Harry Potter."

Mrs. Longbottom smiled at this. Neville and Cho exchanged hopeful glances. "Harry's a good man," Mrs. Longbottom said. "I don't expect there's much that boy can't do."

"No there's not," Cho said. "He's currently in the Auror training program. He and his girlfriend are also letting me stay at their house while I look for a job. It's not easy with a large stomach like mine." Neville smiled at her encouragingly

"So you have no job and no home of your own?" Mrs. Longbottom said, nodding. "Interesting." Another long, uncomfortable silence followed broken only by Mrs. Longbottom excusing herself to check on the food.

"I said the wrong thing again," Cho put her face in her hands.

"No you didn't," Neville said soothingly. "It's okay, really."

"How is it okay?" Cho asked.

Neville looked thoughtful. "Okay, maybe it's not going great yet, but there's still hope. I'll try and get her talking about her charity work; she always likes to talk about that."

"All right," Cho said. She knew nothing of charity work or what Neville's Gran did.

Mrs. Longbottom came back into the room followed by two house elves. "I hope you like veal," she said, sitting down again. "It's Neville's favourite."

"Sure," Cho forced a smile, wondering how she was going to eat that. She was a vegetarian but knew she couldn't tell that to Mrs. Longbottom. Unfortunately, Neville decided he would.

"Oh, Cho doesn't eat meat Gran. Do you have a nice salad or anything like that?" he asked.

"Yet another thing you should have brought to my attention before this evening," Mrs. Longbottom said pointedly to her grandson.

"I'm sorry," Neville apologised. "I've been very busy with Auror training and--"

"Quit babbling," Mrs. Longbottom said dismissively. "You always have an excuse, Neville. How many times have I told you that you should just accept the consequences of your actions? I'm sure Miss Chang could tell you a thing or two about that."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Neville asked his grandmother.

Mrs. Longbottom exhaled. "She's obviously gotten herself into a spot of trouble and she now finds herself with no home and no job. I'm sure she could tell you that the choices you make, good or bad, have consequences. That's all that I meant, Neville."

Cho felt herself growing a bit angry. "These consequences were beyond my control, Mrs. Longbottom." she said tightly. "I decided against getting an abortion because I wouldn't be able to face myself if I had killed my own child."

"And she does have a home," Neville added. "Or she will as soon as I get us a flat or a cottage."

"What are you talking about?" Mrs. Longbottom asked. "You live here, Neville. I will not have you disgrace our family by bringing some girl and her bastard child into my home."

Neville stood up. "This child will NOT be a bastard." he said angrily. "And by the time it's born, I WON'T be living here!"

"You can't be serious," Mrs. Longbottom retorted with a cold laugh. "Well, don't come crying to me when she finally figures out that you don't have any money. Because I give you my word on this, Neville. If you walk out that door, I'll cut you off completely."

Neville grabbed Cho's hand. "Then cut me off. I can make my own way without any of your money!" he said.

Mrs. Longbottom pushed back from her chair and followed her grandson and his girlfriend toward the door. She watched as Neville helped Cho with her cloak. "I mean it, Neville. You walk out that door and you are no longer a member of my family," Mrs. Longbottom said frostily. "Is that what you want?"

"Cho and her baby are my family." Neville said coldly. "And sooner or later you'll realise that."

"As you wish," Mrs. Longbottom said. "Goodbye, Neville." She gave them both a cold, hard look before walking back toward the dining room.

Cho began to sob as Neville slammed the front door to the house behind them. "Don't cry Cho," he said softly. "It'll be all right."

"How the hell is it going to be all right?" she asked. "You've just been kicked out, I don't have a real home either..." she sat down on the front steps.

"You will have a home soon," he said, sitting down beside her. He put an arm around and pulled her close. "It's not as bad as it seems. I can probably crash with Seamus until I've saved up enough for our place. Harry and Hermione love having you around."

"I know," Cho replied. "But I'm just so scared Neville. I'm scared of what I'm bringing my baby into. Maybe I should have just let that doctor give me the abortion."

At her words, he changed positions so he was kneeling right in front of her. "You don't mean that."

"No," Cho sniffled. "I don't. But I'm still scared. I have absolutely nothing telling me that things will turn out all right."

"You have me," he offered.

Cho gave him a tiny smile. "I do have you," she said.

He kissed her then and let his fingers linger on her cheek. "Now then, how about we go and get some real food?"

"Sounds good to me." Cho felt a little better as he helped her up. "Where to?"

"Your choice," he said, allowing himself one last look at the house where he'd lived the majority of his life.

"Anywhere but The Succubus Stop," she shook back her hair.

"Okay," he said chuckling. "How about pizza?"

"Wonderful," she leaned against him. "Hey Neville?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Thanks," she said, squeezing his hand.

"For what?"

"For being you. For being the man I've fallen head over heels in love with. For wanting to help me take care of my baby." Cho felt her eyes tear up again. "I really don't know what I'd do without you."

He squeezed her hand. "You'll never have to find out because I don't intend on going anywhere." It was at that point an idea occurred to Neville that made him grin.

"Okay," she said, locking their fingers together as they walked away.

*** *** ***

“What are you planning on doing?” Harry asked. They were on their way to their training session that weekend that would take them out of town. Harry was already in an especially bad mood because Hermione had spent most of the past week with Gordon doing their tutoring sessions. He was positive that bloke had other tendencies in mind and had made Cho promise to be around when Gordon was at their house on Sunday.

“I’m going to propose.” Neville said. “My Gran brought up one good point, and I don’t want her child being born out of wedlock.”

“Wow…” Harry ran his hand back through his hair. “That’s… that’s a huge step Neville.”

“Well wouldn’t you do it if the roles were reversed?” Neville asked. “If this was Hermione?”

“I’d do it in a second.” Harry replied.

“Well then you know how I feel.” Neville replied. “I’ve got to find a ring for her… I don’t think we’ll have enough time for a big wedding, I hope she won’t mind… that is if she wants to do this.”

“Of course she will,” Harry replied. “And just remember that my offer still stands for a loan. If you need help finding a place I’m here.”

Neville nodded. “I appreciate that Harry. And I will keep that in mind.” He was not a fool enough to push away money especially now that he figured he’d probably need it since he was staying at Seamus’s. Harry and Hermione had offered to let him stay at their house along with Cho but he declined as he didn’t want to take advantage of their situation.

“Ugh I really don’t want to be here,” Harry grumbled as they came upon their classroom. He dumped his bag on his desk and sat down, glowering at anyone who dared look at him. Neville just shook his head mildly and sat down next to him.

“Don’t look now but your fan club of one has just arrived as well. Ten Galleons said she followed us down the corridor just so she could look at your arse.”

“Sod off,” Harry snapped, even more irritable as Megan smiled brightly at him.

“Good morning Harry!” she squeaked.

“Hi,” Harry muttered.

“Can I get you anything? Coffee or some tea?” she chirped.

“No,” Harry stared at his desk. “Thanks…”

“Aren’t you excited about this trip?” Megan asked, sitting down and moving her desk by his. “We’ll be in Florence in less than an hour! The most romantic city in the world…” she sighed dramatically.

“Yeah, I really wish my girlfriend could be there.” Harry said sarcastically.

Megan blinked and Neville turned so she wouldn’t see him start laughing. “Your girlfriend?” she asked brightly.

“Yeah, the one I talk about constantly?” Harry scuffed his feet along the floor. “The one I carry multiple pictures of and show them to you nearly every time you talk to me?”

“Oh that one,” Megan’s tone finally dropped.

“That one,” Harry looked at Neville crossly.

Luckily for them, their instructor arrived and they all grabbed their bags and separated in pairs for their portkey. Harry, much to Megan’s dismay, grabbed onto Neville’s and they were whisked away.

9. Chapter 9

A/N: Thanks again to all of you who commented! Your reviews have been answered ;) That takes almost as much time as actually writing a chapter! Hahahaha jk ;)

Anyways, in this we get Hermione’s birthday, and for some reason a lot of you want to see into Gordon’s head ;) Prayers have been answered, although you won’t like him in later chapters. He’s turned a bit more psychotic than we planned him to be.

Hope you all likes, and please leave a review when you’re done!

Hermione sighed as she looked in the mirror. She was wearing one of her new outfits but her heart truly wasn’t into going out tonight. Not with Harry hundreds of miles away in Italy.

She pulled one of her new black slim cut robes on over her black skirt and fitted blue shirt and sighed. Hermione knew she looked nice but the morose look on her face kept her from looking as pretty as she normally did.

“Hermione are you ready yet?” her cousin was knocking on her door.

“Come on in,” Hermione called. Lavender stepped inside and squealed.

“Oh that outfit is PERFECT I knew you’d look fantastic in it when I picked it out!” she walked around Hermione and scrutinized her. “I can’t believe how put together you look now, especially with your hair straight.”

“Thanks Lav,” Hermione said dryly. “Is everyone here?”

Lavender nodded. "Cho and Luna are downstairs." She caught a glimpse of her cousin in the mirror and put an arm around her. "Hey, it's your birthday...it wouldn't kill you to at least look happy, would it?"

"I just really miss Harry. This is the first time since we moved in together that he's gone out of town." Hermione sighed. "I really wish he was here."

"He'll be back soon, Hermione," Lavender said reassuringly. "Besides, Cho told me about how you cut him off, so to speak....sort of makes it easier on you, doesn't it?"

"Not really," Hermione replied. "And I didn't cut him off! I've just been busy with Gordon this past week trying to keep my marks up. We haven't had TIME for sex."

"Surely you'll make time for it when he gets home?" Lavender said, nudging her.

Hermione couldn't help the smile that twitched at her lips. "I daresay I will," she finally couldn't help laughing. "Stop it Lav, you're worse than Harry is!"

"I hope not," Lavender said with a giggle. "I never thought I'd be saying this to you, but come on already...we're all ready to go!"

Hermione and Lavender ran down the stairs. Hermione received hugs from her friends and they started talking about what they were going to do with their evening.

"Dinner?" Cho asked. "I'm starving!" she wore black dress pants and robes with a nice blush coloured top that accentuated her stomach rather than made it look bulging.

"Hermione gets to choose the place since it's her day," Luna chimed in.

"Hmm..." Hermione looked deep in thought. "What about that Italian place you like so much?" she teased Cho.

"That works for me. Anything would work for me." Cho laughed. The four girls left the house, cloaks pulled tightly around them to ward off the cold night air. They got to the restaurant quickly and Hermione, Lavender and Luna had some wine while Cho stuck to pumpkin juice.

"Merlin, I'd give just about anything for some wine right now," Cho eyed Luna's glass covetously.

"You don't have to much longer now, right?" Luna said conversationally. "Four more months’ right?"

"Yes," Cho sighed. "I honestly can't wait not to be pregnant anymore."

"Just think you're going to be someone's Mum soon," Luna said dreamily.

"Have you been thinking of names?" Lavender chimed in. "I'd be ready to venture Draco Junior has been ruled out?"

"Ugh," Cho suppressed a shudder. "That's never even been an option." Everyone laughed. "Well... I was looking in the bookshop for a list of names and I was thinking either Chiaki if it's a girl and Hideki or Keiichi if it's a boy."

"Those are lovely names," Hermione smiled.

"Much better than Draco Junior," Lavender said with a laugh. "Cho, you should really come into the shop and see some of the baby clothes we have...they're so adorable!"

"Maybe I will," she smiled. "Now that is one part I am DEFINITELY looking forward to- dressing my baby up!"

The girls looked at their menus and Hermione leaned over to ask Lavender what she was going to get when Lavender suddenly squealed rather loudly in Hermione's ear. "Oh! Oh! Oh!" she exclaimed, dropping her own menu. "I just had a brilliant idea!"

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"Well, I told you all about how Madam Malkin is going to let me help with the designs right? Well, she's going to need someone to take over my job as salesgirl," she related, pointedly looking at Cho.

Cho had her eyebrows raised. "You think I should go for the job?" she asked, surprised. "With my stomach three feet in front of me?"

"You don't really have to do much!" Lavender said quickly. "You basically just take orders and do a bunch of folding. You could do that in your sleep, Cho. Most of the time, I sat at the counter reading a magazine and doing my nails."

"Sit? You get to sit?" Cho asked. "I'm definitely interested; it's too hard being on my feet all the time these days. When can I come in to apply?"

"Monday morning?" Lavender suggested. "We open up at eight. I'll put in a good word for you."

"Thank you Lav," Cho smiled at the other girl. "That's really nice of you!"

Lavender waved her hand dismissively. "Come on, it's the least I can do for a fellow survivor of Draco Malfoy, right?"

"Speaking of Draco," Luna said. "Ron saw Ginny this week."

Everyone dropped their menus and looked expectantly at Luna. "What happened?" Hermione finally said. "Why didn't he tell any of us?"

"He's been really busy with Inventory at the shop," Luna explained. "She's moving to Australia with Malfoy. In fact, she's probably already gone. Ron thought she was going to pop in to see their mother, but she never did."

"Australia?" Cho exclaimed. "Why down there?"

"It's the only place with a university that would accept him," Luna explained. "Ginny wants to get a job at one of the resorts. And I think hell must have frozen over because she told Ron she was genuinely sorry about what happened."

"Did he believe her?" Hermione asked with only a touch of bitterness in her tone.

"Yes," Luna answered. "I was a little sceptical when I heard it, but Ron thinks she was being honest...for once. There was a time back when we were at school where she was my only friend. It seems like such a long time ago."

"That it does," Cho agreed. "She used to be very sweet," she explained to Lavender and Hermione. "Look what one taste of freedom and Malfoy did to her."

Lavender grinned at her cousin. "Look at what one taste of freedom and a little bit of Potter did to my cousin here. It's turned her into a less than stellar student."

Hermione frowned. "That was uncalled for! I'm still almost at the top of my class. And a little more work and I'll be back at the top."

"Ease up, Hermione," Lavender said laughing. "Only joking."

"Is it true what Cho said...you really cut Harry off?" Luna asked in disbelief. "I could never do that to Ron."

"He's not cut off," Hermione said. "We just haven't engaged in much over the past week because I've been busy working with Gordon and we're too tired."

"Harry's never too tired for sex," Cho snickered.

"Care to elaborate on that?" Luna asked.

"Not especially," Cho replied, not wanting to rehash some rather current events. "I just know he's always looking at Hermione like a lion looks at its prey." At her words everyone at the table burst out laughing.

"Too much information," Lavender said, covering her ears. "This is my cousin we're talking about."

“All right all right," Hermione replied as the waiter came over.

"Wow," Luna couldn't help muttering as she looked up at the waiter.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"He's gorgeous, don't you think?" she whispered in her ear as the waiter took Cho's order.

"Luna!" Hermione gasped. "Ron!"

"I may be taken, but I'm not blind," Luna said with twinkling eyes.

Hermione shook her head. She honestly couldn't imagine even looking at someone else that way as long as she was with Harry.

The waiter finished taking their orders and Luna looked up to see Hermione still looking at her. "What? I'm not going to cheat on Ron, Hermione! I just said the waiter was gorgeous...that's all."

"I know," Hermione apologised. "But... for me... it's like I can't even think of anyone else other than Harry."

"Not even this Gordon?" Lavender asked innocently. "You've been talking about him so much lately."

"Gordon is a friend, nothing more. He's helping me with schoolwork." Hermione said evenly.

Lavender snapped her fingers. "Wait a minute! This Gordon you're talking about...is he the same one who went to school with us?"

"That's him," Hermione replied. "Moved away in third year?"

Lavender scrunched up her nose. "He's the one who's tutoring you?"

"Yes," Hermione felt slightly testy. "Why?"

"Because he fancied you when we were at school," Lavender answered. "Don't look at me like that, you had to have known!"

"No he did not," Hermione replied, ignoring the looks on Cho and Luna's faces. "We were study partners then and we're study partners now Lavender!"

"Oh, he did too," Lavender said, shaking her head. "Cho, Luna...you should have seen this guy, he used to follow Hermione around like a lost puppy."

Hermione was not amused. "So maybe he fancied me a little. But I had no feelings for him whatsoever." she shook her head. "I'm in love with Harry... remember? Guy I happen to live with?"

"I wasn't saying you were going to do anything," Lavender said quickly.

"Can we just drop the subject?" Hermione didn't feel like talking about Gordon.

Lavender shrugged. "What did you want to talk about then?"

"Let's just have fun tonight," Hermione took a rather large swig of her wine. "Like looking at Luna's waiter."

Luna grinned conspiratorially at Hermione. "That sounds like a fine idea!"

*** *** ***

Cho laughed as Hermione swayed a bit. "I think I almost have the door unlocked," the brown haired girl was giggling.

"Are you sure you don't want me to do it?" Cho grabbed the key from her friend and put it in the lock.

Lavender put an arm around Luna to keep her upright. "We shouldn't have let them drink so much."

"Hey!" Luna exclaimed. "We're not as drunk as thinkle peep we are!"

Cho rolled her eyes. "All right, as the only truly sober one of the group, I say we give Hermione her presents and then I will become the official party pooper as I am dead tired."

"Presents?" Hermione swayed again. "You guys didn't have to give me presentssssss...." she began to laugh again.

"Wait! Were we supposed to get her presents?" Luna asked and then collapsed on the couch beside Hermione in a fit of giggles.

"Yes Luna," Cho replied, sitting in the chair. "Did you forget?"

"I was jus joking," Luna said turning to Hermione and saying rather loudly in her ear, "I really, really hope you like it, Mione! It's okay if you don't though."

"I think I've gone deaf!" Hermione clapped her hands over her ears. "First Lavender and now you Luna!"

"Should we give them a sobering potion?" Lavender asked Cho. "I don't know how much more of this I can take."

"That would take too long to make," Cho replied. She dug into her bag and pulled out an envelope. "Hermione are you sober enough to handle gifts from all of us or should we put these aside for later?"

"I'm okay," Hermione pulled her hands down. "I'm good, I promise!"

"Ohhh! Open mine first," Lavender said, handing Hermione a beautifully wrapped package.

"Okay," Hermione smiled at her cousin and carefully peeled the wrapping away from the box. She opened it and gasped as a flash of sparkling material caught the light from the room. "Lavender these are GORGEOUS!" she pulled the periwinkle dress robes from the box. "Where did you get them?"

Lavender beamed at her cousin. "You are holding in your hands a Lavender Brown Original."

Hermione gasped as she hugged her. "Lavender thank you SO MUCH!" she held them up against her. "I can't wait to wear these out!"

"You really like them?" she asked. "You're not just saying this because I'm your cousin and you feel like you have to..."

"No I do!" Hermione replied. "These are absolutely stunning!"

Cho admired the sparkling robes. "Maybe I'll have you make me a set for my current condition," she joked. "Never know where you'll need a nice set of dress robes."

"I'd be happy to!" Lavender replied. "Here, Hermione. Give them to me and I'll put them in your bedroom so you don't mess them up."

"What you don't trust me?" Hermione teased.

"Not you," Lavender said, looking at Luna, who was looking a little green.

"All right," Hermione surrendered the new robes and Lavender ran upstairs to put them in the closet.

"Mine next," Cho said. "I'm afraid after Lavender's its quite simple..."

"Nonsense," Hermione replied. "You didn't have to get me anything Cho." she opened the envelope. "A pass worth ten Galleons at my University bookstore?"

"I know it's not much..." Cho began embarrassedly but Hermione hugged her.

"This is fantastic Cho! I can never have enough books!"

Lavender came back downstairs at that moment and giggled. "You have enough books to have your own library," she teased.

"And the library never has enough books," Hermione shot back good naturedly. "Thank you so much Cho! I can't wait to buy something new!"

"Glad you like it," Cho hugged her friend again. "It would have been more but..."

"No buts," Hermione interrupted. "Thank you," she said with a happy smile.

"I'm next," Luna said with a little less enthusiasm than she'd had earlier. She reached over Lavender and handed Hermione a small box.

Hermione opened it up and was stunned to see some cork and string looped inside. She lifted it out and it unwound. "A necklace?" she asked. "Are those butterbeer corks?" Cho stifled a snicker and Lavender bit her lower lip to keep from laughing.

"They're corks from Harry's butterbeer bottles," Luna explained. "It's meant to bring you luck, Hermione."

"Oh..." Hermione smiled and put it over her neck. "Thank you Luna. I'll wear it on my next exam day." she hugged the blonde.

"I'm glad you like it," Luna said happily.

"I do," Hermione laughed. "It's the most interesting gift I've ever been given."

"What about your gift from Mr. Wonderful?" Lavender asked. "Did he give it to you before he left?"

"No," Hermione pouted briefly. "He said he wanted to wait and give it to me when he gets back."

"I wonder what it is," Lavender said, looking to Cho. "Come on, Cho. You're one of Harry's closest friends and you're a girl. He had to tell you what it was."

"He refused to!" Cho exclaimed. "Honestly, you'd think because I let a few things slip before that he can't trust his own best friend."

"Oooh! Like what?" Lavender asked intrigued.

"Not telling," Cho replied. "Honestly, what sort of friend would I be if I told his secrets again? I'm sure Hermione knows all his dirty little habits by now anyways."

"Hermione doesn't think Harry has any bad habits," Lavender said with a laugh. "She worships the ground he walks on."

Hermione snorted. "Harry has plenty of bad habits. He constantly leaves the toilet seat up and he gets toothpaste EVERYWHERE. He always puts the dishes back in the wrong place and he never makes the bed if I'm the first one out in the morning."

"Ronald does that too," Luna chimed in. "He always leaves the toilet seat up. It's no fun to go into the loo at four o'clock in the morning and fall in the toilet."

Everyone laughed. "Well..." Cho struggled to get up. "I really need to get some sleep. Tonight was really fun, I'm glad we were able to go out."

"Come on, Luna," Lavender said, helping her friend up. "I'll see you get home okay."

"That might be a good idea," Hermione hugged her cousin and Luna. "Thanks for helping me celebrate tonight you guys."

"No problem," Lavender said. "Come on, Lovegood. You make a sloppy drunk."

Hermione and Cho laughed as Lavender and Luna stumbled out the front door; Hermione locked it behind them. "I've got an early start tomorrow too... Gordon's coming over so we can finish up our project. We finished the charms one but now we've decided to get started on another that's due in a month."

Cho remembered her promise to Harry before he left. "You won't mind if I hang around here, do you? I promise to stay out of your way."

"Of course not," Hermione replied. "With Neville gone as well I didn't expect to see you out and about while we worked." she leaned in closer even though no one was there. "Besides... don't you ever admit this to Harry but Gordon makes me uncomfortable sometimes when it's just the two of us."

"He does?" Cho asked. "You don't reckon he still fancies you?"

"Well I hadn't really thought of that," Hermione replied. "But I've caught him staring at me, or he'll move his hand so it's touching mine and leave it there... but he's also the best study partner I've ever had."

"Sounds to me like he still fancies you," Cho said.

"Don't tell Harry that, please." Hermione begged. "He's already jealous of Gordon but he's got nothing to worry about."

"He's just concerned," Cho said defending her friend. "He loves you so much, Hermione. I don't like keeping things from him, but if you don't want me to say anything...I won't."

"It's not that I want to keep it from him... I'm really just trying to keep from adding fuel to the fire." Hermione replied. "And with last few weeks..." the words hung in the air between the two women. "That's all over and done with and I don't want to rehash it."

Cho nodded. She felt the same way and she was glad that Hermione wasn't going to let this be an issue between them. "So what do you think our men are doing right about now?"

"Probably enjoying the sights of Florence." Hermione replied, thinking of her beloved. "Either that or they're too miserable without us to do anything."

“Drink!” Harry shouted laughing as Neville pulled back on his glass of merlot. It wasn’t a drink one would normally chug down but Harry had figured since Hermione was out celebrating that night he would too in an effort to feel closer to her.

“Your turn!” Neville slammed his goblet back down. Harry grinned and gulped down as much wine as he could stand without taking a breath.

They both laughed. “This isn’t so bad,” Neville said. “I’d have thought it would be a lot worse to be away from Cho.”

“I suppose the wine is helping,” Harry smirked. “That and the fact you managed to find a ring?”

“Aye,” Neville nodded. “Think she’ll like it?” he kept the box with him for safekeeping, and now he pulled it out for Harry to see.

“That she will,” Harry admired the white gold band with solitaire diamond set inside. “It’s a gorgeous ring.” He sat back. “I still can’t believe you’re going to propose.”

“What’s so unbelievable about it?” Neville looked at it a long moment.

“Not that it’s unbelievable… just that… if she says yes you’re going to marry Cho. Our friend Cho. The Cho I’ve known… since what feels like forever.” Harry replied. “It was hard enough when she found out she was pregnant.” He looked seriously at his friend. “I really respect what you’re doing. Most men would run the other way like Malfoy. Instead you’re staking claim on a responsibility that by all rights isn’t yours.”

“I know that,” Neville set the ring back in the box. “But I love her. I love her so much that I told off my Gran.”

“I still can’t believe she kicked you out.” Harry replied.

“She let me back in once to get my things,” Neville said thoughtfully. “She stayed in the kitchen and wouldn’t even say goodbye when I called out to her.” He sighed. “She’s always wanted what was best for me.”

“When all you want her to see is that Cho IS the best for you,” Harry finished. “I just went through a whole holiday of that, remember?”

“I know,” Neville nodded. “What do you reckon I should do?”

“Do what’s best for you,” Harry answered. “If that’s being with Cho, then be with Cho. I think she loves you even more than she’ll admit to herself and she’s scared shitless you’re going to decide that this isn’t worth it and leave.”

“I’d never do that,” Neville replied.

“I know you wouldn’t.” Harry said. “But I saw her that night after your Gran kicked you out. She stayed up crying until three am.”

“I didn’t’ know that,” Neville looked down at his lap. “Why didn’t any of you tell me?”

“She didn’t want us to,” Harry replied quietly. “That’s part of the reason why I think what you’re doing is good.”

“Okay,” Neville nodded. “When we get back I’m going to ask her.”

Harry smiled at him. “I can’t believe you’re getting married.” He raised his goblet.

Neville grinned back. “Here’s to getting married. Maybe you’ll be next.”

Harry nodded and drank, his mind pondering over Neville’s words. He knew he wanted to marry Hermione someday. He couldn’t picture his life without her. Yet he also felt like there was no rush in things- he knew Hermione wouldn’t leave him and he also knew that if she wanted to get married he would know her intentions by now.

Definitely no rush, he reasoned.

*** *** ***

“So when this charm is overlapped with this one a splinching could occur if the witch or wizard attempts to Apparate less than an hour later,” Hermione said.

“That’s exactly it,” Gordon leaned back and smiled. “You’re a whiz at this Hermione.”

“I probably really didn’t need to take up your time with this tutoring business,” Hermione replied. “I really wish you would let me pay you.”

“Nonsense,” Gordon leaned forward and squeezed her hand. “You’re my friend and I’m happy to help you out.”

Hermione smiled nervously and pulled her hand away. “Can I get you anything to drink?”

“I’m okay,” Gordon replied.

“All right,” Hermione opened another book. “What about that new theory we’ve started in Charms class?”

“It’s going to be a tough one to decipher.” Gordon leaned over as Hermione began to read to herself. He silently inhaled the scent of her hair, having to refrain from reaching out to touch the soft strands. Merlin, he wanted her so badly. He honestly didn’t understand what she saw in Potter. Sure, he was THE hero of the Wizarding World, but other than that, what did the guy have going for him?

“This seems like it would be suited more for Ancient Runes than Charms,” Hermione finally said after several minutes of reading. “I mean they’re asking us to decipher, which really isn’t Charms work.”

“I agree,” Gordon said. “Unfortunately the professor doesn’t.”

“He’s a good instructor…” Hermione sat back. “But I honestly think sometimes he believes we’re not a Charms class. I’ve no problems with doing Runes work but not if he’s going to load on the Charms assignments as well.”

“You should give him a piece of your mind. Rather like you did with Madam Chateau back at Beauxbatons.” Gordon laughed. “The time she made that mistake with one of the equations…”

Hermione covered her mouth with her hand. “She hated me for the rest of the time we were there after that!” she giggled. “Honestly- it was such a ridiculous mistake as well and I wasn’t at all snotty when I pointed it out to her.”

“I don’t think it was tone, I think it was the fact that anyone could see the mistake except for her, and the fact you showed her up to the class.” Gordon chortled and Hermione threw her head back and laughed loudly.

“It wasn’t until seventh year she finally forgave me either.” She revealed.

“Really? That long?” Gordon shook his head.

“That long,” Hermione replied. “It wasn’t until sixth year that I finally had to go to the headmistress and tell her because I had Madam Chateau again and she was actually threatening to fail me!”

“You’re kidding me,” Gordon leaned forward. “I’m sure you told her a thing or two.”

“Well I’m supposing Madam Maxime had a word with her because she started acting nicer to me after that. Then after an exam one day I went and talked to her – that was the next year- and after that everything was fine.”

“I’m sure it was.” Gordon leaned even closer. “You have no idea how much I wish I hadn’t had to move away. I missed you most out of everyone at Beauxbatons.”

“I’m sure you had better friends than me Gordon,” Hermione said.

“You and I were pretty close back then,” he said intently.

“I suppose we were,” Hermione replied, leaning away. Could Lavender and Cho be right about Gordon still fancying her?

“That’s part of the reason I was so glad to see you in the bookstore.” Gordon leaned back, sensing he was making her uncomfortable. “Just to grab tea or coffee with you between classes brings back a lot of memories.”

Hermione smiled at him, ashamed of her thoughts. He was obviously just glad to be friends again and nothing more than that. “I was glad to see you too.” She replied. “Honestly, I know I’ve said this before but you’re the best study partner I’ve ever had.”

“Same goes for me,” he smiled at her again and suddenly they both heard the front door open.

“Hello?” Harry’s voice came through the doorway. “Hermione?”

“Harry!” Hermione jumped up from her chair and raced into the hallway. “You’re home!” she squealed, throwing herself into his arms. It was a drizzly, rather dreary day outside and Harry was damp as she hugged him tightly.

“Hey,” Harry whirled her around despite how tired he was. “How was your birthday?”

“It was nice,” Hermione buried her face in his neck. “But I thought about you the whole night.” She pressed her lips to his quickly. “I missed you so much Harry.”

Gordon positively wanted to gag as he rose from the chair and went to the doorway in time to see Harry and Hermione kiss again. Cho was also coming through the doorway to the living room.

“Harry!” she smiled and Harry pulled away from Hermione to give her a hug. “How was your trip?”

“Good,” Harry grinned as he saw her; he had sworn to Neville he wouldn’t breathe a word of his plans but he couldn’t help but smile as he saw his unsuspecting friend. “How are you?”

“Good, good.” Cho replied. “Glad you’re back… and even gladder that Neville is back.” She laughed at the expression on Harry’s face.

Harry slid his arm around Hermione as his eyes travelled to the kitchen doorway and the smile slipped for a moment as he saw Gordon standing there. “Hullo Gordon,” he said politely. “What brings you over today?”

“Hermione and I were just getting some studying done,” Gordon said in a cool tone. “I’m surprised she didn’t mention it to you.”

“Aye, she did.” Harry replied, squeezing her tighter to his side. “Must have slipped my mind.”

“Must have,” Gordon smiled tightly.

Hermione sensed Harry’s discomfort with Gordon there. “Listen, why don’t we pick back up where we left off tomorrow?” she asked her friend. “That or on Tuesday?”

“Um… sure…” Gordon clearly didn’t want to leave but it seemed he had no choice. “Oh by the way,” he said, his tone as innocent as possible. “I remembered that yesterday was your birthday and I got you a little something.”

“You did?” Hermione asked. “Gordon you didn’t have to do that!”

“It’s the least I could do,” Gordon smiled as she left Harry’s embrace. “He handed her a small box from his cloak pocket and she unwrapped it.

“Oh…” Hermione lifted a sterling silver charm bracelet from the box. “This is gorgeous! Each little charm held something that she loved- books, a wand, and potion bottles. “Thank you…” she gave him a quick hug, aware that Harry was standing less than five feet away.

“You’re welcome.” Gordon replied. “I’m glad you like it.”

Hermione fastened it to her wrist. “I do, I love it,” she replied.

Harry exchanged a look with Cho and she shook her head slightly. She had been listening in the living room the entire time while Hermione and Gordon worked and all Hermione had done was talk about Harry most of the time.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow in class?” Gordon asked, watching as his books flew back into his bag.

“Bright and early,” Hermione groaned but she was smiling. “And thank you again for the bracelet I really love it.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Gordon wrapped his arm around her shoulders in a rather daring move and hugged her to him.

Harry was almost steaming as he saw this but held his tongue out of respect for his girlfriend. He stepped back out of the way silently as Gordon came towards him down the hallway, a tiny smirk on his face as he walked out the front door.

Harry shut it behind him as Hermione came back into the hallway. The sight of her large smile was enough to put Harry back in a better mood. “So tell me about your training,” Hermione said as she wrapped her arms back around him.

“Just mainly a lot of physical work,” Harry replied as she and Cho led him into the living room. He nearly collapsed on the sofa, Hermione still holding onto him. “Neville says he’s really sorry- he was so tired it was all I could do to get him to Seamus’s place. He’ll be over tomorrow.”

“Make sure you tell him not to come over until the afternoon at least,” Cho replied, sharing a secret smile with Hermione.

“Why’s that?” Harry asked, looking from girl to girl.

“Because you’re very possibly looking at the new salesgirl for Madam Malkin’s robes shoppe.” Cho said smugly.

Harry’s smile spread across his face. “Hey that’s fantastic Cho!”

“Lavender’s moving up in the world so to speak,” Hermione buried her face in his shoulder again. “Madam Malkin has promoted her to designing. Wait until you see what she made me for my birthday.”

“If we wait much longer to go upstairs you may have to show me tomorrow,” Harry groaned. “I hate to say it but I need to sleep very soon.”

“You’d better get that second wind of yours blowing,” Hermione whispered in his ear. “I’ve no intentions of letting you go to sleep for another few hours.”

Cho rolled her eyes. “If you two are going to sit here and whisper sweet nothings I think I’ll go to bed.”

“Sorry,” Hermione straightened back up. “Tell us more though about your training. What sort of tactical manoeuvres did you practise?”

Harry spent the next half hour detailing what they had done while skirting the issue of what he and Neville had done in their little free time. “I just really wish you could have been there,” Harry finished. “You two would have loved Florence.” Harry squeezed Hermione’s hand.

“Sounds like we would have,” Cho agreed. “Well… I do think I’m going to make it an early night so I can get up on time and get ready for tomorrow.” Harry got up to help her to her feet.

“Good luck,” he gave her a hug, as did Hermione.

“You’ll let us know as soon as possible right?” she asked.

“Of course I will.” She began to waddle from the room. “Have fun tonight you two.”

Harry and Hermione grinned after her before Hermione pushed Harry back onto the sofa. “I really did miss you,” she said, climbing on top of him. “Very…” she kissed him. “Very… much…”

Harry returned her kiss wholeheartedly. “I could have used you there,” he replied.

“Why do you say that?” Hermione asked resting her forehead on his while his hands toyed with her hair.

“Megan,” Harry groaned. “Bloody hell… I must have showed her every picture of you I have and told you about her a million times but there seems to be something in what brain cells are still active that shut down when I say the word ‘girlfriend’.”

Hermione laughed. “Pity she can’t have you,” she snuggled against him. “You’re all mine.”

Harry wrapped his arms back around her and buried his face in her hair. “I could stay like this all night,” he groaned. “You’re going to have to carry me up the stairs.”

She answered by placing little kisses along his neck. “Oh one thing before we go upstairs Harry.”

“What’s that?” Hermione got off him and Harry followed suit.

“Your cut off… has been cut off…” she grinned impishly. “Race you upstairs!”

10. Chapter 10

A/N: Wow, again what a fabulous response you guys have given us to chapter 9. Some of you wondered how long it takes us to write a chapter- it’s hard to say really as we don’t chapter out the story until after it’s already written. But as of this chapter’s post date, we are up to the mid twenties. Yup ;) We’ve gotten pretty far!

A lot of you were also wondering about Megan and Gordon. We can tell you this- Megan’s harmless, Gordon’s… not. But that’s all you’re getting from us for now on that subject!

Thanks again everyone! And please don’t forget to comment when you’re done reading this time! :D

For once is his academic career, Gordon Devereaux was finding it hard to pay attention in class. His eyes were fixed on the pretty brunette sitting beside him, furiously scribbling notes on a piece of parchment. To his delight, she was wearing the bracelet he'd given her the night before. He'd wondered to himself what Potter had given her for her birthday. Knowing that arrogant prat, Gordon thought to himself, he'd probably think just being her boyfriend was present enough.

After class, he and Hermione were supposed to go to the library to continue their project. He hoped that she'd consent to grabbing a bite to eat afterwards. He also hoped that she wouldn't suggest going to her flat again because he'd never get closer to her if she was surrounded by her boyfriend and that pregnant flatmate of theirs.

Gordon snapped to attention as he saw Hermione gathering up her books. The lecture was over and he'd barely registered a word of it.

Hermione hummed happily to herself as she dreamily packed away her things. She had done her hardest to pay attention in class today, her mind too firmly fixed on Harry coming home last night.

She was also looking forward to the dinner she and Harry were going out for tonight. He would be waiting for her after the next class- she had worn something other than jeans to class, instead she had a skirt on and her new red shirt that Harry had originally thought was Lavender's on under her robes. She heard a cough behind her and saw that Gordon was trying to get her attention.

Gordon grinned at her. "You looked to be in another world just now. Everything alright?"

"Oh everything is perfect," Hermione smiled. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason," he said, shrugging. "It's a shame we couldn't get more done last night. I felt like we were really getting somewhere."

"Yes I know..." Hermione pushed a loose strand of hair out of her eyes. "But it's not as if this project is due quite yet. Besides that I'm sure you have other things to occupy your time with aside from helping me out. Like I said- you don't have to; I've got the hang of things enough now."

The smile on Gordon's face faltered a bit. "You're right, of course. I've just enjoyed being in your company again. I just hope you know that anytime you need help, I'd be glad to oblige."

"Well we're definitely heading for the library now right?" Hermione asked. "I'm afraid I have to run after our next class."

"Yes, of course," Gordon said, holding the door open for her. "So, you've got big plans tonight then?" He tried not to let the disappointment he felt show. He should have known something was up when she'd arrived to class dressed up more than she usually was.

"Harry's taking me out to dinner to celebrate my birthday since he had to be away." Hermione straightened her bag strap.

"Oh right," Gordon said, as they walked along the stony steps leading toward the library. "Where was it he went again?"

"Florence," Hermione replied. "He tried to get out of it but his whole section was going and it couldn't be avoided."

"Florence is a great city," Gordon said conversationally. "I spent some time there myself last summer. Great food and beautiful Italian women."

"I suppose it's lovely there," Hermione replied. "Harry told me he wants us to go back one day- he really didn't get to see much of the city since they were training."

"It must be hard for him," Gordon said slyly. "Being who he is and having all that attention."

"It really doesn't go to his head," Hermione replied as she pulled her cloak tighter around her. "He's as much down to earth as you or me. He doesn't like to use his name or power to throw his weight around." she told Gordon of how the instructor was ready to pass him the first day of their training. "He refused and said he wanted to take the class like any other Auror."

Gordon bit back a sarcastic comment. Something like that probably never happened and Potter probably told her that just to make himself seem more modest than he actually was. Besides, it wouldn't do for him to insult Harry now when he was still trying to get close to Hermione. He wanted to charm her, not piss her off. "That girl who lives with you?" Gordon said, as they walked inside the warm library. "She's friends with Harry as well?"

"Yes," Hermione replied. "Cho Chang- she and Harry have been friends for a long time. When she got sacked from her job we told her she could stay with us until she made other arrangements."

"I thought so," Gordon said, as they sat down at their usual table in the library. "I picked up on a closeness between them."

"They're best friends," Hermione confirmed, not allowing the thoughts of the two of them having sex to return to her head. "I was surprised when I heard they weren't dating from Neville back when they were dancing together at Hillsdale."

"Did they date at some point?" Gordon asked.

"Yes, back when they were fifteen or sixteen," Hermione said offhandedly. "It didn't last very long and they stayed friends after that."

"I'm quite impressed with how mature you are," Gordon said. "You must trust Harry a lot to allow his ex-girlfriend to live with you."

"She had a large hand in helping us get together," Hermione replied. "And besides, she's dating another friend of ours, Neville."

Gordon nodded. He obviously wouldn't be able to use Cho in his plans to trigger jealousy and insecurity in Hermione's relationship with Harry. "You don't ever get concerned about Harry? Worried that he'll have a wandering eye? I mean, he's Harry Potter, for Merlin's sake. I'm sure he's had to beat the women off with a stick."

Hermione gave him a look. "He's had his fair share of people interested in him but he's told me that he loves only me. And I've trust in him enough that he wouldn't look at anyone else while he's with me."

"Of course. Hermione, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything. I hardly know the guy. I guess I was just basing my opinions on him on what I've always heard in the papers and gossip," Gordon said quickly. "I honestly didn't mean anything by it. If I had you, I wouldn't look at anyone else, either."

Hermione turned red and looked down at her book. "That's sweet of you to say," she murmured.

Gordon grinned. "So, um, want to go ahead and get started? We don't have much time before you have to get on to class and your big night with your very lucky boyfriend, right?"

"No, we really don't," Hermione was relieved that he was dropping the talk about Harry. "What did we want to get started on?”

You and me getting together would be nice, Gordon thought. He tried to concentrate on the project, but he couldn't stop thinking about Hermione and what it would be like to kiss her and hold her and...

He looked up sheepishly to see she was staring at him with a bemused expression on her face. "Sorry," he said. "You choose, Hermione. Whatever you want to do is alright by me."

*** *** ***

Harry waited outside the door to Hermione’s classroom. He could see her inside writing as fast as she could on a bit of parchment and it brought a smile to his face.

He watched the light from the window travel down her mane of brown hair, watched how she bit her lower lip as she concentrated. Merlin, their evening hadn’t started and he wanted her already.

A bell rang, making Harry jump as everyone inside started packing up their things. The door opened and he could hear the professor calling out last minute instructions to the departing students.

Hermione was one of the last ones out and Harry stood off to the side. “A beautiful rose for a beautiful woman?” he sneaked up behind her, holding the flower out in front of her as his arm curved around her waist.

"Ron," Hermione said, trying not to laugh, but wishing she could see the look on Harry's face. "What will Harry say if he knew you showed up here?"

"Hey!" Harry pulled a mock irritated face. "If this is what happens every time I try and be romantic—"

Hermione silenced him with a kiss. She knew that some of her classmates who were hovering in the hall were watching them, but she didn't care. "What were you saying about being romantic?" she asked.

"Right," Harry replied. "Stole the words right out of my mouth." he curved his arm around her waist. "Our night awaits us my lady," he led her down the corridor.

Gordon watched with narrowed eyes as Hermione kissed Potter. It should be him, he thought. If he’d only come back a little earlier in the year he might have been able to head off Hermione ever even meeting Harry Potter. Then she would have been his, kissing him in the hallway and walking off with HIM to dinner.

Harry had picked a nice restaurant near the end of Diagon Alley. He'd eaten there once or twice and liked it a lot. It was low key but casual dressy. "I don't know if this will beat a night out with the girls but I'll sure try." he joked as he held Hermione's chair for her.

"To tell you the truth I remember very little from that night," Hermione answered. "Luna and I drank a little too much."

"Oh really?" Harry laughed.

"Yeah," Hermione replied. "But I promise not to do that tonight. I have a feeling I'll want to remember every minute of this night."

"I hope so too," Harry took her hand as Merlot was poured into their goblets. "I still feel awful that I wasn't able to be here."

"It doesn't matter," Hermione said, stroking his hand. "Besides, we'll have many more birthdays to spend together, right?"

"I certainly think so." Harry replied. A waiter came by the table and Hermione was suddenly hit with a fit of the giggles. "What are you laughing at?"

"One thing I do remember from my night out with the girls was this waiter we had at the restaurant," Hermione related to him. "Luna kept checking him out. I believe she used the phrase 'eye candy' once or twice. Anyway, when we were leaving the restaurant, Luna was already so pissed, but she walked past him and grabbed his arse..."

Harry fell back in his seat laughing. "What did Ron think of that?"

"I don't think she told him," Hermione said between giggles. "And don't you tell him either!"

"Well now," Harry stopped laughing at sat up, a mock stern expression on his face. "You girls can tell each other secrets about us guys yet we can't say anything between ourselves?"

"I shudder to think what you guys talk about when we're not around," Hermione said. "What I wouldn't have given to be a fly on the wall when you and Neville were in Florence."

"We were very good for your information," Harry grinned as he thought of their discussion. "And we didn't discuss anything sordid. Quite the opposite actually."

"Discussed the meaning of life, did you?" Hermione teased.

"Something like that," Harry said mysteriously. "But I'm not at liberty to say what Neville and I talked about."

Hermione put her menu down and stared at him. "You're not going to tell me?"

"I can't," Harry replied. "I swear I can't. It's up to Neville."

"Nothing I can do to persuade you?" she asked.

"Don't you try any of those tricks of yours Ms. Granger," Harry warning, his eyes mischievous.

Hermione picked her menu up again and tried to look nonchalant. "I have no idea what you're talking about...I have no tricks. Hmmm....I guess I'll be getting the lobster tonight..."

Harry shook his head and grinned. "Get whatever you like," he replied. "This evening holds no monetary value to me whatsoever."

"I see," Hermione grinned. "So, I guess if I order the most expensive item on the menu, I'm obligated to put out for you later on."

Harry started laughing again. "You said it not me," he snickered.

"So you don't deny it then?" she said pretending to be affronted. "My mother warned me about boys like you."

"So did your father and look at you now," Harry replied, amused.

Hermione laughed. "Point taken. Speaking of my dad, he and Mum came by the flat Saturday morning to wish me a happy birthday and Dad wanted me to ask you about golfing again. Though, after what happened that first time..."

"Don't remind me, please." Harry was terribly embarrassed. He hadn't been able to hit the ball into that blasted hole once much to Robert's amusement. "I'm sure he enjoyed me making a fool of myself."

"He thought you did quite well for your first time," Hermione said quickly. "You can't be good at everything, Harry. Besides, Dad told me he thought you were intentionally playing bad to not show him up."

"No, it was really just me really playing badly," Harry replied. "I suppose I could suffer through another four hours worth if it means your dad will like me some more."

"He likes you fine," Hermione said. "He's come quite a long way since this summer. You have to give him that at least."

"That's very true," Harry grabbed up her hand. "I wasn't complaining about that at all. I can't believe we've come this far with him. I thought for sure that night we finally broke it to him that we wanted to move in together I'd find myself buried six feet under the ground by morning."

Hermione could still remember how Harry had come over for dinner and they'd decided once and for all to tell Robert and Elinore their plans. They'd both been putting it off for one reason or the other and they'd finally decided to just do it.

She and Harry had offered to clear away the dishes and bring dessert and coffee into the kitchen for everyone. Hermione broke the news by handing her father a piece of cake and saying nervously, "Here's your cake, Dad...Harry and I are moving in together."

As she reflected on it now, she couldn't remember ever seeing her father say so much by not saying a word. "It wasn't that bad," Hermione said.

Harry scoffed. "That's because you went outside with your Mum and Lavender and I got to stay in with him. I've never been so scared in my life and that's really saying something."

"You're not saying my dad scared you more than Lord Voldemort?" Hermione asked. "Harry, it wasn't that bad, was it?"

"It was, at first at least..." Harry squeezed her hand. "He was quiet, I almost felt like I'd rather have him be yelling at me. And then he told me if I ever did anything to hurt you that I'd find myself answering to him." he looked up at her. "I wouldn't do anything to intentionally hurt you, not ever."

Hermione smiled at him from across the table. "I know that. I'd never do anything to hurt you, either."

"Well it all ended well anyhow," Harry kissed the back of her hand. "We're here together."

"We sure are," Hermione said happily.

They ordered their dinner and Harry looked at his girlfriend, a surge of contentedness flowing through him as he watched her converse with the waiter. He still couldn't figure out what made her choose him out of all the other blokes out there but he was glad she wanted him as badly as he did her.

"Harry?" Hermione said, interrupting his thoughts. "Is everything okay?"

"Just fine," Harry replied. "Have I told you tonight how in love with you I am?"

"Once or twice," Hermione replied. "But, I'll let you in on a little secret; I never get tired of hearing that."

"Good," Harry's eyes were soft in his desire for her. "Because it just so happens I have a gift in here for a certain girl I happen to be head over heels for..." he pulled the small, gift wrapped box from his pocket and held it out to her.

Hermione beamed at him and with shaking hands took the box from him. She slowly unwrapped the present and saw a rectangular velvet box inside. With trembling hands, she opened the box and gasped at what was inside. It was a beautiful diamond tear drop necklace with matching earrings. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked from the gift to her boyfriend. "Harry," she whispered. "They're beautiful."

He grinned in relief. "I know you're not much of a jewellery person but every girl deserves diamonds." He watched as she pulled off the earrings she was currently wearing and threaded the ones he'd just given her through her ears. "Here let me help you with that," he got up and drew the delicate gold chain over her skin. Hermione held back her hair while he clasped it.

"Gorgeous, just like you," Harry said softly, his eyes intent on hers.

She tilted her head toward his and softly kissed him. "Thank you," she whispered. "And not just for the gift...and not just for tonight. Thank you for loving me."

"I couldn't stop if I tried you know," Harry said quietly.

*** *** ***

It finally seemed as if things were looking up for Cho. Her interview that morning with Madam Malkin went better than expected and by the time she'd left the shop, she'd had a job and a new set of robes.

She'd already had plans with Neville for this evening and she figured it would just be a low-key celebration due to her job. Money was tight now for Neville since his Gran had disowned him, so she'd not expected much. She didn't care for fancy dinners and fancy clothes anyway. What mattered to her was spending time with Neville. She wouldn't have minded if he'd wanted to order pizza and stay in for the night.

She'd dressed casually in a pair of black dress trousers and an over-sized cream coloured jumper. The doorbell chimed and with one last look in the mirror, she walked as quickly as she could to answer the door.

Neville stood there, wearing a smile and jeans with jumper and carrying a bouquet of red roses.

"Good evening," Neville gave a rather comical bow. "I am here to escort you out on a fine evening of romance Miss Chang," he handed her the flowers.

"Neville," Cho said taken aback. "What is all this?"

"I just want to treat you to an evening you'll never forget," Neville said, looking at her earnestly.

"Are you sure about this?" Cho asked, worried. "I know money's tight and-"

"Don't you worry about it," Neville interrupted her, giving her a kiss. "Tonight is your night to sit back and relax," he squeezed her hand.

"I can definitely go along with that," she said smiling at him. She put the flowers in some water and they left.

"I'll bet you're wondering where we're going," Neville said as they left The Leaky Cauldron behind.

"The thought had crossed my mind," Cho joked. "You won't even give me a little hint?"

"Well..." Neville whistled for a taxi and they got in. "I want you to think way back... to the first place we ever met... at King’s Cross." He looked straight at her. "Unless of course you want to go somewhere else... I just thought it might be a nice evening for us."

"No," she said, putting a hand on his knee. "I think it sounds perfect altogether. Really."

“Great,” Neville grinned in relief. Cho smiled back at him and he leaned in and kissed her gently. “I forgot to tell you that you look gorgeous tonight.”

Cho felt tears flood her eyes but she held them at bay. “You’re so sweet to think so Nev,” she whispered.

“I don’t think so, I know so,” Neville gave her another quick kiss as the driver pulled through the streets of London.

Cho pushed her long dark hair back over her shoulders. “I remember the first time I went in there to go to school,” she said, looking around. “It seemed so much bigger when we were eleven.”

“Aye it did,” Neville replied. “And me giving you a Chocolate Frog.”

Cho laughed. “I could go for a Chocolate Frog right about now… but I’ll bet it would hop away and scare the Muggles.”

“That it might,” Neville replied. “But I do know where Harry is keeping his stash back at the house.”

“You mean he’s had some and never told me?” Cho cried.

“It took me long enough to get him to tell ME,” Neville said. “So I’ll grab a few for you but I can’t disclose that information.”

“All right,” Cho conceded. “What do you think he and Hermione are doing right now?”

“Do we really want to know the answer to that?” Neville cringed. “I daresay after he gives her his gift they’ll be quite happy just going straight to bed.”

“What did he get her?” Cho nearly pounced on him. “Tell me Neville, as he wouldn’t even tell me what it was!”

Neville laughed. “He got her a diamond teardrop necklace and matching earrings.”

“Oh,” Cho’s eyes went glassy. “That is so very like Harry.”

“He does like to spoil his friends,” Neville nodded. “And that means for Hermione it’s no holds barred. I know we say this a lot but I still can’t believe how he is around her. I’ve never seen him so arse over end for a girl before.”

Cho laughed at his comment. “I know,” she replied. “And she’s such a perfect match for him, really. I’ve never seen anyone put up with his banter the way Hermione does.”

Neville snorted. "She matches him wit for wit," he replied. "Harry's finally met himself in female form."

"That she does," Cho agreed. "Neville? There's something I wanted to ask you...Hermione sort of had a problem with it, and I just wanted to make sure that you didn't..."

"What, about you and Harry?" Neville asked perceptively.

"Yeah," Cho said, surprised that he'd known what she was talking about. "You knew that we were...that we..."

"Of course I know," Neville said. "I am friends with Harry... I knew about things back then...." he squeezed her hand. "But it was awhile ago now and he's with Hermione and you're with me. I know that you've been with other guys..." his eyes travelled to her stomach.

Cho hit him playfully on the arm. "And here I thought I had you fooled."

"Right," Neville replied dryly. "It doesn't bother me Cho, if that's what you're working at."

"It was just that things between Hermione and I were sort of awkward after she found out and I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think that I still harboured feelings for Harry," Cho said. "He's always going to be special to me, but I just see him as my friend...my sometimes rather annoying and overprotective friend."

"As do I," Neville interjected. "But I'm secure enough now that I know he loves Hermione and you in different ways."

Cho rested her head on Neville's shoulder. "You're such a great guy, Nev."

Neville smiled. "For you, Cho Chang, I'm anything you want."

Cho sighed contently. She hadn't had the best track record when it came to her love life. In the past, she'd always sought out and attracted the bad boys who she thought she could change. In the end, she'd always had her heart broken. Draco Malfoy had been the classic example of this. As she sat there in that taxi with Neville Longbottom, she knew that her luck was finally changing. She had a job, great friends, a baby on the way, and the love of a good man. She was so lost in her own thoughts that she hadn't noticed that they'd arrived at their destination until she heard Neville opening the car door.

"We're at King's Cross," he said softly. "You want to get out or keep going?" his voice held the slightest note of trepidation.

"Get out, of course," she said with a laugh, taking his proffered hand to help her out of the taxi.

Neville grinned and helped her out. "King's Cross, Miss Chang," he said in a corny accent.

"Just promise me that we won't have to go back to school," Cho said laughing. "I loved Hogwarts, but I had enough of school to last me a lifetime."

"No school," Neville smiled. "I'm hoping what I have planned will be better than that," he led her inside the station.

"Now I'm intrigued," she said as they walked through the station. Cho was hit with a wave of nostalgia just walking through it. "This place brings back so many memories."

"Too right you are," Neville answered. "What cafe do you want to eat at?"

"It doesn't matter to me," Cho said honestly. She patted her stomach. "The little one here is getting a little hungry though."

"Well by all means," Neville sat her down at a table. "Tell me what you'd like Miss Chang. Anything at all you want is yours."

"Surprise me," Cho said. "You know what I like by now."

Neville ordered them some dinner and brought it back to the table, grinning as she dug in. "I love you," he said unexpectedly.

"I love you too," she said glancing up at him in surprise. She brought her fork to her mouth again, but she saw that Neville was still looking at her intently. "Do I have something on my face?" she asked, dropping her fork and touching her cheek.

"No... I just think you're so gorgeous is all," Neville replied. "I love looking at you."

She blushed. "Thanks."

Neville moved his chair closer to hers. "I just..." he fumbled a minute. "I just want you to know... I think you're the most important person in my life Cho."

"Neville," Cho looked over at him. "If you keep saying such sweet things, I'm going to start crying. And it doesn't take much these days, I cry at the drop of a hat."

"I know," Neville dropped his gaze. "I also want you to know... I didn't bring you here for a cheap date I brought you here for a reason."

"Neville, I don't think this is a 'cheap date'," she said quickly. "I'm having a great time. You honestly don't have to..." Her voice trailed off as she watched Neville push back his chair.

"What is it?" she asked concerned.

Neville was nervous enough to want to be sick but he decided it was now or never. "Cho... I love you so much. Just in these past few months I've found a future with you I didn't think possible." He got down on one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket. "I want to be with you forever Cho. I want to be a father to your baby and be your husband." he opened the box. "Will you marry me?"

Cho's jaw dropped as she stared at the ring in his hand. "W-what did you just say?" she asked shakily.

"Will you marry me?" Neville's face was almost ashen.

Nearly every eye in the cafe was on the two of them, but Cho didn't see it. Her eyes were fixed on Neville. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at him. "You want to...marry me?" she asked.

"More than anything," he replied, his face gone white by now.

"I-I don't know what to say," she whispered. A million questions went through her mind as she looked at him. With every question, she came up with the same answer...he was doing it because he loved her. With her eyes shining with tears, she looked at him and said simply, "Yes."

Neville let out a breath. "You said yes," he replied.

She nodded and the entire cafe erupted in cheers, but Neville still knelt before her, looking as if he couldn't believe she'd actually said yes. "That was the answer you wanted, wasn't it?" she asked, a smile playing on her lips.

"Yes," he said, almost still in shock. "You really said yes?”

"Yes," she said, looking at him. A few people came up and slapped him on the back and offered congratulations, but Neville didn't move. "Neville? Are you alright?"

Neville suddenly laughed aloud. "She said yes!" he shouted.

"Give her the ring!" a woman shouted. "It's not official until she has the ring on her finger!"

Neville suddenly remembered himself and pulled the ring from the box. Cho held out her hand and Neville shakily slid the ring on her finger. "Thank you," he whispered.

"I should be thanking you," she said with a shy smile. "This has been the best night of my life."

Neville leaned in and kissed her as the whole cafe erupted in applause. He laughed as they stood up, nodding their heads to the crowd. "I do want to run something by you..." he said as they sat back down.

"There's more?" she asked.

"Well," Neville leaned in closer to her. "I wanted to know... that is, only if you want to... and you can be ready...." he took a deep breath. "I want to marry you before the baby is born."

Cho beamed at him. "Oh, Neville...'"

"That's the only good point my grandmother had," Neville said. "I want the baby to be born legitimate. I want to adopt it. I don't think Malfoy will contest any action we take towards that. And I've finally accepted Harry's offer while we were in Florence for a loan to help us get a flat or a cottage to live in..." he rambled.

Cho started to sob and Neville's voice trailed off. She knew he probably didn't know what to make of her crying, but she couldn't believe how much he was willing to do for her and her baby...how much he wanted to do for her and the baby. Seeing the worried look on his face, she took his hand. "I'm not crying because I'm sad. You've just...you've made me so happy, Neville."

Neville hugged her tightly. "I love you," he said again. "I don't want to make you cry. But I do want to make you as happy as I possibly can."

"You have," Cho said. Her eyes grew wide as she looked at her fiancé. "Oh, Neville, I've just thought of something!"

"What?" Neville asked, brushing away some of her tears.

"Harry...will he be your best man or my maid of honour?" she asked. "Seeing as he is your best friend and mine...we may just have to fight for him."

Neville started laughing. "I'll let that be your choice," he kissed her again. “It depends on whether he likes wearing women's dress robes, really."

Cho started to giggle almost uncontrollably as she thought of Harry in pink dress robes. "I'd just like to see the look on his face if I asked him to be my maid of honour," Cho managed to choke out.

"You should, just to see that," Neville still held her hand. "So... um..." he lifted her fingers. "Do you... like your ring?" he asked shyly.

Cho held her hand up and admired her ring. "It's beautiful, Neville. I love it."

"Good," Neville was relieved. "I showed it to Harry and he thought it was perfect. But you're the one whose opinion really matters."

Cho smiled. "So he knew before I did, huh? No wonder he kept winking at me this afternoon. I thought he was going mad."

"Well, he promised to keep it a secret so that you can tell everyone the good news," Neville caressed her cheek.

"It is wonderful news, isn't it?" Cho said, pressing her cheek into his palm. "I love you, Neville Longbottom."

"I love you, Cho Chang." Neville kissed her again.

*** *** ***

Cho grinned as she watched her friends sit and laugh in Harry and Hermione's living room. She and Neville hadn't yet broken the news of their engagement which was why everyone was here that evening. She was excited yet nervous of their reactions, wondering what they thought of them marrying so soon because of the baby. "I'm taking care of you," she said softly, running her hand over her protruding stomach.

"Are you ready to tell them?" Neville whispered in her ear.

"Kiss me first," Cho grinned at her fiancé. Her fiancé.

Neville did as we told and Ron from his perch on the sofa beside Neville threw some popcorn in their direction.

"What is with you two tonight?" Ron asked jokingly. "Every time I've seen you, you've been hugging or snogging or touching..."

Luna slapped his arm. "Stuff it Ronald... they're a happy couple or have you forgotten what that's like?

"Since I've hardly seen you this week," Ron teased. "I have forgotten. Maybe you could refresh my memory?"

Harry grinned at his friends. He knew exactly why Cho and Neville had asked everyone over this evening- the turned around diamond ring on Cho's finger didn't have him fooled. "Hey Ron maybe you could save that for later, I'd like to keep down my dinner," he called out, earning a jab from Hermione and a laugh from Seamus.

"This from the man who snuck upstairs not fifteen minutes ago with his girlfriend to go and 'check on something'," Ron retorted.

Harry grinned. "It's my house," he replied smugly.

"I'll have you know Harry needed my help with something," Hermione chimed in. "You are so suspicious, Ron. You automatically assume that we were doing something..."

Lavender came up behind her cousin. "That argument might work if you didn't have your jumper on inside out."

Horrified, Hermione looked down at her jumper to see that it wasn't inside out. She scowled at Lavender.

"Busted," Lavender sing-songed.

Harry pulled her close. "They're just jealous," he whispered, shamelessly reaching up under her shirt to caress her.

"Stood your ground on that cutting him off thing, did you?" Ron asked cheekily.

Hermione turned to Cho. "Is there anyone you didn't tell about this?"

Cho laughed. "I assume Harry forgot to tell you how bad I am at keeping things a secret?"

"For the record," Hermione said. "I didn't 'cut him off'. I just thought we needed to prioritize..." Her voice trailed off as she saw all of her friends staring at her trying not to laugh. "Oh, I give up!" Hermione said, sinking back down on the sofa beside Harry.

Cho laughed. "All right... we didn't come here to give Harry and Hermione a hard time, believe it or not..."

"We didn't?" Ron asked. "Well, what did we come here for then?"

Neville squeezed Cho's hand. "We have some really good news."

Cho grinned. "Neville and I are getting married!" There was a slight moment of silence and then the uproar started.

"You are?" Hermione squealed. She jumped to her feet and enveloped first Cho and then Neville in a hug.

Lavender nearly took Cho's arm out of its socket as she moved to get a look at the ring.

The men stood back, of course, and let the girls do all the oohing and ahhing. Neville found himself pushed to the background as the girls surrounded Cho.

Luna smiled dreamily. "Neville picked out a beautiful ring,"

Harry clapped Neville on the shoulder. "Way to go mate," he said.

"I still can't believe she said yes," Neville said, watching as Cho animatedly told the girls how he'd proposed.

"Why wouldn't she?" Harry asked.

Neville shrugged. "I just can't believe someone like her loves me."

"Someone like her?" Seamus asked. "What do you mean?"

"She's beautiful," Neville said simply. "And I'm not just talking about her looks. You guys have known me for years. You know that I've never been the most confident chap, but with Cho...she makes me feel as if I can do anything."

Harry grinned at hearing Neville's explanation. "And I reckon she couldn't have asked for a better guy." he replied, slinging an arm around Neville, Ron and Seamus following suit.

"I can't believe one of us is about to get married," Ron said.

"Who's going to be your maid of honour?" Luna asked.

Hermione watched as Cho started to laugh. "What's so funny?" she asked.

"Well..." Cho giggled even harder. "Neville and I are trying to decide who Harry should be, maid of honour or best man?"

Neville grinned at his friend. "Yeah, Harry...how do you feel about pink dress robes?"

Harry stared at him in horror. "It's never been my best colour," he finally recovered. "I prefer green or black myself."

"Cho and I decided that we'd either let you choose or we'd play a game of Exploding Snap for you," Neville said as Ron and Seamus nearly doubled over in laughter as they pictured The Boy Who Lived in pink dress robes carrying a bouquet of flowers.

"Ha, ha," Harry said. "Sorry Cho!" he called. "Pink never was my colour!"

"Well, I guess my half of the wedding party is complete," Neville said, winking at Cho. "What about you, love?"

"Luna," Cho said. "I've... known you for quite awhile now so I was hoping you would stand up for us." she looked at Hermione. "I really hope you don't mind Hermione..."

"Of course not," Hermione said sincerely, giving Cho a hug. "I'm just so happy for you."

"Thank you," Cho replied, her eyes tearing up automatically. "Luna?"

"I'd love to stand up with you," Luna looked uncharacteristically emotional as Cho pulled her and Lavender into a hug as well.

"I don't know what I did to deserve Neville," Cho began to bawl.

"I'll never understand women as long as I live," Ron said, looking over at Cho. "They cry when they're sad; they cry when they're happy."

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Hermione was sitting on the bed in her pyjamas reading her Transfiguration text. Harry was still downstairs with Neville and Cho, but Hermione had begged off to finish some reading for her class. There was a big exam in the next couple of days and Hermione wanted to be prepared.

"And you'd better take care of her Longbottom," Harry called from the top of the stairs. "I already talked to you about this but I'm not afraid to bring it up again!"

"Thanks, Dad," Cho sarcastically called back to him. "Go away, Harry!"

Harry was grinning as he came into the bedroom. "I think I've scared him enough for one evening aye?" he asked his girlfriend.

"I think he scared you, too," Hermione said, turning a page of her book. "You should have seen your face when they asked if you wanted to be maid of honour or best man."

Harry stuck his tongue at her maturely as he pulled off his jeans. "What are you reading?"

"Theories of Transubstantial Transfiguration," Hermione said, holding up the book for him to see.

"Can you repeat that in English?" Harry quipped.

"Ha, ha, ha," Hermione said, yawning. "What about you? Big day tomorrow?"

"Kind of," Harry replied. "No Megan for a change."

"Don't tell me she's given up on you?" Hermione teased.

"Of course she hasn't," Harry replied. "I'm much too good looking for her to let go," he said, earning a hard jab from Hermione. "Ow!"

"You are such an egomaniac," she said, laughing.

"But you love me for it," Harry replied, readying himself for a tickling match.

"Harry, don't you dare!" she said, seeing the look in his eyes. "I have to finish this!"

"All right," he calmed down, knowing if Hermione didn't do well on this next test he may as well kiss sex goodbye for the rest of the school term. "What do you think about Neville and Cho?" he asked.

"I think it’s fantastic," Hermione answered. "Did you hear how he proposed? That was so sweet!"

"He's definitely creative," Harry replied. "We bought the ring while we were in Florence."

"Do you know it seems kind of strange in a way, doesn't it?" she asked suddenly. "They're going to be married with a baby...it sounds so grown up, doesn't it?"

"Quite," Harry replied. "This weekend I told Neville I'd go flat hunting with him as well. He wants to settle in pretty quick and have everything done and them married by the time she has the baby."

"I'm glad that you're helping them," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Well I'm just glad he's accepted my offer for help," Harry said. He certainly had more than enough money and as Neville wouldn't accept charity he'd had to settle for a loan. "I'm sure Cho would want you to come along as well. Goes along with that whole female perspective bit- you women don't trust us men with picking out important things like houses."

"You found this place without any help from me," she reminded him.

"Aye," Harry replied. "But remind Cho of that fact will you?"

"Well, I'll also remind her to take little input from the bloke about decorating because I am still gob smacked that you thought that awful chair belonged in here."

Harry smirked. He still wondered how long it was going to take Hermione to realise that the chair was indeed in the living room and that she herself used it nearly every day. "Right you are love."

"I can't look at this anymore," Hermione said closing her book and setting it on the nightstand.

"Now that's what I've been waiting to hear," Harry replied, tugging insistently on her camisole.

"Harry...we already did this earlier tonight and caught a lot of flack for it," she said. "Besides we both have to get an early start tomorrow."

"You caught a lot of flack for it?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"With everyone downstairs, remember?" Hermione said. "Is there anyone Cho didn't tell about it? I nearly expect my parents to come in here and ask me if it was really true."

Harry started laughing. "Love, they're only teasing you." he kissed the side of her neck.

"If you keep doing that, we're never going to get any sleep," she lectured.

"Who needs sleep?" Harry started to fondle her breasts.

“We do,” Hermione whispered, shuddering. No matter how good what he was doing was making her feel, she had to stand her ground. If she allowed him to keep doing what he was doing with his hands…she knew she’d soon be past the point of no return.

“I know, I know,” he said, reluctantly slipping his hands out from underneath her top.

“You’ll thank me tomorrow when you wake up feeling refreshed,” Hermione said as she reached over to turn off the lamp.

They lay there in silence with Harry curling around Hermione; his arm draped casually across her waist. Both of them seemed to be lost in thought. Tonight’s events had caused both of them to look at their relationship and where it was going.

It was only natural to do so Harry rationalized, given that two of their friends would be married soon. He and Hermione had never talked about marriage. Tonight, as he’d looked at her across the room, he’d wondered if she was wondering the same things he was. Did she wonder what they were doing here? Did she see herself married to him someday?

Given the nature of who he was and the childhood he’d led, he’d not concentrated too much on the future. Mainly because he hadn’t been all that sure that he’d have one. As he lay here beside Hermione, he knew that when he thought about the future now, he saw her in it. The feelings he had for her felt so strong and went so deep that he couldn’t see them ever coming to an end.

Did this mean he was ready for marriage? Did this mean she was ready for marriage? There was time to answer these questions, of course, but if he knew how he felt now…what was he waiting for?

“Is everything okay?” he heard Hermione ask him.

“Yeah,” he answered. “I thought you were asleep.”

"I guess I'm still so excited about Cho and Neville," Hermione said softly. "I don't know how they're going to get all of this done in such a short time. Did you know Lavender agreed to design Cho's dress robes?"

Hermione turned to look at Harry who seemed to be lost in thought. "I think it should be a nice ceremony, don't you? Even though it's last minute and all. Don't you? Harry?"

"I think it'll be just fine," Harry answered. "They love each other and that's all that really matters right?"

"Exactly," Hermione agreed. "Still, it's a big step."

"That it is," Harry replied. "But it's really one they had to take... it's sort of like what you and I did..."

"You mean with us moving in together?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Harry replied. "Considering we've only known each other what, five months?"

Hermione felt a pang in her stomach. Now, he's thinking that I was hinting at marriage, which I wasn't. Really... "It seems like longer," she finally said.

"It does," Harry kissed her bare shoulder. "Best five months of my life, at any rate."

"Mine, too," she said feeling much more at ease. Before she could stop herself though, she heard herself saying, "You know Cho and Neville haven't been together as long as we have and look at them now..."

Harry felt his heartbeat speed up. Did she think they were next in line down the aisle- did it have anything to do with the diamond necklace and earrings he'd given her for her birthday? Did she wish it to be a ring next? "Well... if the roles were reversed and I'd gotten you pregnant then it would be us..." he finally said slowly.

"No," Hermione said quickly. "I wasn't implying anything, honestly! I was just saying how nice it was for Neville and Cho. I haven't thought about marriage...one way or the other. It's like you said we've only been together a short time."

"Time means nothing to me," Harry replied. "At one point I thought I didn't have any time left in my life."

Hermione looked earnestly at him. He'd never talked much about what had happened between him and Voldemort. "Me and my big mouth," she said sinking back down onto the pillow. "I should learn when to keep it shut."

"It's all right," Harry replied. "I can talk about it without having a fit or anything if that's what you're worried about." he linked their fingers together. "Honestly Hermione- it's not that I don't want to marry you. I do- someday. Just right now... there's no rush is there? I'm having a great time just being with you, living with you... getting to know you in ways I haven't thought of yet." he gave her an endearing smile. "You're the most important person in my life Hermione."

Hermione beamed at him. "As you are in mine. And you're right, Harry. There's no rush. How we are now is just fine with me. Better than fine, actually."

"Good," Harry kissed her. "Just one step at a time right?"

"Right," she agreed.

11. Chapter 11

A/N: Thanks again to everyone who took the time to leave a review! Your comments are appreciated and we responded to most of them so be sure and check those out ;)

And we purposely waited until today to post- Happy 24th birthday to our favourite HP girl Hermione! hehehehehe

Harry sat with his textbooks open in front of him in the sitting room. Cho was next to him, her bridal magazines spread out on her side of the table.

Harry glared at the doorway to the kitchen as Hermione’s laughter floated through. She was in there studying yet again with Gordon Devereaux. “You’d bloody think they’d study and not be laughing and joking around.” He grunted to Cho.

"Maybe something they're studying is funny," Cho suggested helpfully.

"Right," Harry glowered. "He's hitting on her again, I know it. He fancies her."

Cho sighed as she closed her magazines. She needed to be at Madam Malkin's in a few minutes for her shift. "Harry, what does it matter? Even if he does, I'm certain Hermione would never take him up on it. She's crazy about you, remember?"

"I know," Harry relaxed. "I just don't like him. There's something about him I don't trust."

Cho was silent. She wondered if she should tell Harry what Lavender had shared with them that night they'd gotten together for Hermione's birthday.

"If I tell you something do you promise not to tell Hermione I told you this?" she asked, keeping her voice barely above a whisper in case Hermione or Gordon came into the room.

"I won't," Harry replied immediately.

"Okay, well Lavender remembers him from school," Cho said softly. "She reckons that Gordon used to fancy Hermione back when they were kids. Hermione didn't think so, but Lavender seemed pretty sure."

"I knew it!" Harry whispered furiously. "And now he thinks he can just walk back into her life and claim her!"

Cho put a hand on her arm. "It doesn't mean that he still does, Harry. Maybe this guy is legitimate. Maybe he truly only wants to be her friend. Hermione seems to think so, and she's usually a good judge of character." She watched as Harry silently fumed. "Are you going to be okay?" Cho asked, slowly getting to her feet. "I need to get to work. Promise me you're not going to go all 'jealous boyfriend' on them, Harry."

"I'm not going to be a jealous boyfriend," Harry replied. "But I'm not going to sit there and watch him try to move in on MY girlfriend either!"

"Alright," Cho said knowing that there was no way she was going to be able to convince Harry that he had nothing to worry about. "I'll see you later then."

"Later," Harry barely noticed her leave, his eyes fixated on the doorway to the kitchen as the two of them in there laughed again. Who the hell did Gordon Devereaux think he was, ushering Harry out of his OWN kitchen saying that he and Hermione needed their privacy to study. At that moment, Harry heard a chair scrape against the floor and Hermione's voice.

"I forgot that book upstairs- I'll go run and get it while you finish off those notes." he now heard her run up the stairs and he got up, with the 'intent' on getting himself something to drink.

Gordon was still laughing about something Hermione had said earlier when he saw Potter come into the kitchen. "Hello, Harry," he said with forced sincerity.

"Hello, Gordon," Harry replied tensely. "Having a good time?"

"Yes," Gordon said, leaning back in the chair. "Though truth be told, Hermione and I haven't just been studying, if you know what I mean."

"Oh please, do tell." Harry said, holding back the flood of sarcasm that was dying to leave his tongue. "Especially since I know how seriously Hermione takes her studying."

Gordon fought the urge to smile. He could tell his last remark had gotten to Harry. "We were just catching up about some old classes we had at Beauxbatons," Gordon said. "You know your girlfriend has such a great sense of humour. Then again, she always has been able to make me laugh."

"Yes, she's quite good at that, among other things, especially upstairs in the bedroom." Harry smirked, sensing that he'd struck a nerve. He normally wouldn't have even said something like that but he wanted to put this asshole in his place.

Gordon clenched his fist from under the table. He couldn't get upset now. He'd ruin the headway he'd made with Hermione if he let his anger get the best of him now. He took a deep breath. "How are her parents doing?" Gordon asked. Hermione had confided in Gordon how her parents, mainly her father, hadn't been in favour of her relationship with Harry. He knew that things had changed now, but he couldn't resist bringing it up...especially after Potter's last remark.

"Great," Harry got himself some butterbeer without offering Gordon any. "Her dad and I went golfing together a few times... really got to know one another quite well." that last part was a bit of a lie as Robert had been laughing too hard at Harry's inability to hit the ball to really talk.

"Dr. Granger is a great man," Gordon said with a smug smile. "Our families used to be real close. Of course, when mine moved away, we lost contact. Our mums used to joke that they wanted Hermione and I to grow up to get married someday. Funny, isn't it?"

"Hilarious," Harry said flatly. "But then again, there are some dreams that are never meant to become a reality."

"True," Gordon said, forcing a smile. "But, you never know...sometimes you get second chances."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "Hermione and I have been through a lot together in the short time we've known one another. We've always come out of whatever situation it is just fine..." Harry let the unsaid threat hang between them in the air.

"You know I envy you, Potter," Gordon finally said. "You have a great girl. She's one in a million. Kind of has a way of getting under your skin."

"And she's so far under mine I couldn't get her out if I tried." Harry said evenly.

"Just be careful," Gordon cautioned. "You wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize what you have, would you? She's too good a girl to be left alone for too long..."

"I'd never jeopardize that," Harry said coldly. "The best thing about our relationship, besides the fact that we're completely in love, is that we also trust one another explicitly."

Gordon was about to respond when Hermione suddenly appeared in the doorway. "Found that book, Gordon. I think it's really going to be..." she looked between the two men curiously. “What are you guys doing?”

"Your boyfriend and I were just chatting," Gordon said warmly to Hermione. "Getting to know each other, right, Harry?"

"Right," Harry turned to his girlfriend. "How's the studying going love?" he stood up and slipped his arm around her waist. "Going to get everything right on the next exam?"

"I think so," Hermione said cautiously. She had a feeling that Gordon and Harry hadn't just been getting to know each other at all. "Might I have a word, Harry?"

"Sure," he allowed her to lead him out, not bothering to look back at Gordon.

"What did I just walk in on?" she asked when they were out of Gordon's earshot.

Harry shrugged as innocently as he could while sipping butterbeer. "Why?"

"It just seemed rather tense in there," Hermione answered.

Harry didn't want to lie to her. "I don't like him and you know it. I came in for a drink and the next thing I know he's trying to insinuate that you and he are doing more than just studying," he hissed.

"He did?" Hermione asked. "That doesn't sound like Gordon, Harry.”

"Maybe... I don't know the guy," Harry replied, his arms crossed. "But I still don't trust him, especially around you."

"You know me, though," Hermione said moving closer to him. "And you trust me, right?"

"Of course I do," Harry replied as she placed her hands on his chest.

"You know you're pretty irresistible when you're jealous," she teased.

Harry tried not to grin but failed miserably. "And you're gorgeous when you're trying to appease me," he set the butterbeer bottle down on the table and pulled her closer to him.

"Am I now?" she asked with a grin before leaning in for a kiss. She'd only meant for it to be a quick one as Gordon was just in the other room, but Harry obviously had other ideas.

He kept her pressed against him, his hand running through her hair and loosening it from the ponytail. "And that, Ms. Granger is all I'll need for a little while."

"He won't be here for too much longer," she promised, knowing she should get back into the kitchen, but not yet wanting to leave his embrace.

"Okay," Harry gave her one last, slightly lingering kiss, his hands still buried in her hair.

Someone cleared their throat rather loudly behind them and Hermione pulled away from Harry. Gordon was standing in the kitchen doorway staring at them.

"Sorry to interrupt, Hermione," Gordon said with a shrug. "But I found something in that book I think you should see."

Harry grabbed his butterbeer bottle, the neck clenched in his hand. "Right... go study, we can pick back up later where we left off..." he nuzzled her ear shamelessly.

"Deal," Hermione said before following Gordon back into the kitchen.

*** *** ***

The entire Weasley clan sans Ginny and Percy, of course, had gathered for a family dinner to celebrate Bill's birthday. The house was as crowded as Ron could ever remember seeing it what with Bill and Fleur's children running about. Ron loved his nieces and nephews, but getting them together in one house seemed to be an invitation for disaster.

After a particularly busy day at the shop, he'd not really been in the mood for a party, but since this was a family obligation, he had no choice. Besides with Percy and Ginny estranged from the family, Ron knew his mother would never have forgiven him if he'd begged off. So he'd brought Luna along, but he'd unusually quiet the entire evening.

After dinner, everyone retired to the sitting room. Ron, however, snuck out for some fresh air. The night air was cool and crisp and he'd wished he had thought ahead to bring his cloak with him, but he didn't want to go back inside just yet.

"Ron?" he felt his girlfriend's soft hand on his shoulder as she handed him the aforementioned cloak. "What are you doing out here?"

"Just needed some air," he said, taking his cloak and giving her a grateful smile.

"May I join you?" Luna asked softly.

"Of course," he said, moving over so she could sit down.

"What's on your mind?" she asked, leaning her head on his shoulder. Ron absently put his arm around her. "You're awfully quiet these days."

He sighed. "Don't know really. Just have a lot on my mind."

"You can tell me," Luna buried her nose in his shoulder; she loved the way Ron smelled, especially when it was cold outside. "I'm your girlfriend aren't I? We're supposed to share how we feel with one another."

"I know," he said softly. "I guess it's just all the extra hours I've been putting in at the shop are starting to take their toll and Fred and George seem more interested in goofing off now that I'm around so I just feel as if I'm constantly working...and for what? Just so I can move out?"

"You know you can always stay with me," Luna offered. "I have plenty of room..."

"Luna," Ron said with a laugh. "You have one room. It's slightly bigger than the place Cho was staying in at The Leaky Cauldron, but it's still small. And I thought I told you, I want a place of my own."

Luna nodded. "All right." she said. "What else is on your mind?"

"This whole thing with Neville and Cho," he said shaking his head. "Can you believe that?"

"Believe what- that they're getting married?" Luna asked.

"Yeah," Ron said simply. "It's hard to believe someone I used to share a room with is getting married. And then you have Harry moving in with Hermione... and Seamus over the moon about that Lavender girl. It just seems as if everyone's settling down."

Luna blinked at Ron's choice of words. "And... you don't feel that way?" she asked carefully.

"Hell, we're still young, Luna!" Ron said, getting to his feet. "I mean everyone keeps telling us these are the best years of our lives. Wouldn't you wonder what you were missing out on if you just... I don't know...I'm not making any sense. I don't begrudge Neville and Cho any happiness. But, I don't know if I would have done the same if it was me."

Luna felt as if she'd been punched. "So..." she said, her voice shaking. "If I was the one who was pregnant, you'd just keep things as the way they are now?"

"Why are we even talking about this?" Ron said quickly, with a weak laugh. "It's not like it happened. You're not the one who's pregnant."

"How do you know that?" Luna asked quietly. "What if I told you that I was pregnant... right now? What would you do?"

Ron's jaw dropped. "Y-you're not, are you?"

"No," Luna replied. "I'm not." she looked at him coolly. "But what would you do if I was?"

"I would stand by you, of course," he finally said.

"Stand by me how?" Luna pressed on.

Ron felt that familiar feeling he often felt at Hogwarts when he was taking a test that he hadn't properly studied for. "Come on, Luna," he said, offering his hand to her. "Let's go back inside. It's cold."

"I don't want to go back in!" she stepped away from him. "I bloody want to know where you and I are headed!"

Ron groaned in frustration. "I knew this would happen! I told Seamus that the moment Neville proposed to Cho that this would invariably lead to all you girls going wedding crazy! Look, Luna, all I said was that I didn't see myself getting married at such a young age. It's well and good for Neville, but it's not me...not right now. I thought you and I were on the same page with this."

Luna stared at him, her eyes pale and slightly shiny. "I don't want to get married right now Ron. But you're so overly cavalier about keeping things casual. I feel like all the passion we had at Hillsdale stayed there..." she turned away, her long hair blowing out behind her. "Sometimes I feel like I'm just here so you can have a girlfriend... like I'm just for show or something."

"Where would you get a silly idea like that?" he asked her. "Is this about you and me not going out all the time? I knew you were still cheesed off about that!"

"I'm not!" Luna turned back around. "I don't care about that anymore!"

"Sure you don't," Ron said sarcastically. "I've been busting my arse since we got back and I'm never going to be able to move out of here if I have to keep taking you out to dinner!" As soon as the words left his mouth, he regretted them.

Luna pressed her lips tightly together. "So you're being cheap with me so you can move out. That's just great Ronald." her voice shook slightly.

"That's not what I meant," he said his tone softer. "Luna, I hate it when you and I fight. Why don't you just tell me what you want me to say and I'll say it."

"I don't want you to say anything you don't mean," Luna finally said after they had looked at each other in silence for a good minute.

"You know that I love you, right?" he asked her. "I mean that."

"I love you as well," Luna replied softly. "I guess sometimes I need to hear it more often than normal."

Ron smiled, glad that she wasn't mad at him anymore. "What do you say we go back inside and get some of that birthday cake?"

"All right," Luna finally took his offered hand and they went back inside. But she couldn't shake the nagging suspicion that she and Ron were headed for more trouble.

*** *** ***

Lavender hummed to herself as she walked down the street towards Seamus's school. They had plans for a laid back dinner that night at his place and were just going to play it by ear. She shook her long hair out of her face as she went into the large brick building.

She stopped outside the room he'd told her to meet him at. Taking note of the fact the red light outside wasn't on, Lavender slipped inside. She looked around for a moment until she spotted her boyfriend, who was currently tightening the bolts on a rather large light.

"Hey you," Lavender smiled widely.

"Hey," he said giving her a warm smile. "I'm not quite ready to go just yet. Do you mind hanging out for awhile?'

"Hmmm..." Lavender tipped her head to the side. "Maybe for a little compensation..." she teased.

Seamus grinned and bent his head to give her a soft kiss. "I really am sorry that you have to wait. We're supposed to be shooting today and it's been one disaster after another. The bloke who was supposed to do lighting for me bailed and it's just gone downhill from there."

"Awww..." Lavender stroked the back of his nape as she leaned in for another kiss. "I'll wait however long you need me to okay?"

"You're too good to me," he said, taking her hand and leading her onto the set. It was rather small and Seamus explained to Lavender that they were basically setting things up so they could complete shooting tomorrow morning. "This is it. Not exactly glamorous is it?" he asked her.

"I love it," Lavender replied. It was small but very cosy. "Don’t all you big time directors and... what was it... gaffers?" Seamus grinned and nodded. "Don't you all have to start somewhere?"

"Aye, we do," Seamus said, impressed. His eyes though quickly left Lavender and his eyes narrowed as he saw one of his fellow students drop a box of props. "Julian!" Seamus exclaimed. "How many times have I told you to stay away from the props? If you keep this up, we're not going to have anything left! And Stacey, don't use that colour...it's going to clash with the background!"

Lavender pressed her lips together as Seamus stomped over to his fellow students. "I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he was a tyrant on set." she said to herself.

A few minutes later, Seamus came back to where Lavender sat. "They're going to send me to an early grave," he said, shaking his head.

Lavender giggled. "When do you start filming?" she asked.

"Provided I'm not arrested for murder, tomorrow," he joked.

"What do you have to finish up tonight?" she asked curiously.

"Just blocking mostly," he said, sitting down beside her. "You'd never know that this much work goes into filming a five-minute scene, would you?"

"Not really," Lavender squeezed his hand. "But I'm sure I'll appreciate it a lot more now."

A loud crash came from somewhere on the set. "It was an accident, Seamus! I swear!" a girl’s anxious voice called out a minute later.

Seamus put his head in his hands. "What else could possibly go wrong?"

"Don't ask, just go!" Lavender sat back, feeling bad for her boyfriend as he rushed around.

Seamus hadn't meant to leave Lavender for so long, but one of his crew had knocked over a statue that was a critical prop in a scene. Since his entire crew were Muggles, Seamus couldn't just whip out his wand and everything would be good as new. It served him right, he thought, as he helped clean up the broken pieces. This is what he deserved for deciding on a Muggle career and not a Wizarding one.

Nearly an hour later, he finally made his way back to Lavender. Everything was in place and he'd sent the crew home for the night, but made them promise to be there promptly at seven the next morning.

He grinned as he caught sight of Lavender on the director's chair, fast asleep. "Hey, Sleeping Beauty," he said softly, caressing her cheek.

"Oh!" she jumped. "Blast, did I fall asleep?"

"Aye," he said. "I shouldn't have made you wait. I'm sorry."

"Oh it's all right," Lavender stretched. "I'm just angry at myself that I fell asleep- I've been working on Cho's robes for the wedding and I need to have the design finished in two days so we can start sewing them."

"Do I get to see these designs?" he asked as he gathered up his belongings. "You've been awfully secretive about them."

Lavender hugged her sketchpad to her. "I just want them to be a surprise for everyone," she said.

"Fair enough," he said. "I can understand that. And if what I saw earlier is any indication, I'm sure they're great. You have a great eye for detail, Lavender. Not many people can say that."

"Thanks," Lavender blushed. "Are you ready to go?"

"More than you know," he said, grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulder. "What do you say to pizza and a movie at my flat? Neville should be out with Cho so we should have it all to ourselves."

"Sounds fantastic to me," she leaned against him. "It's gotten so cold. Makes me wish for those hot days we had back at Hillsdale."

"I spent most of my time locked in the studio," Seamus said with a laugh. "Until I met you I didn't even know they had a lake."

Lavender laughed. "Well it's a good thing you met me then," she said lightly.

"Definitely," Seamus agreed. "You've definitely done wonders for my social life, Lavender Brown."

She giggled as she turned around to face him, walking backwards. "You've done wonders for my love life, Seamus Finnigan..." she answered, reaching for his hand.

"Have I?" he said, pulling her closer to him. He gently stroked her cheek before kissing her.

Lavender kissed him back, not caring that they were outside in plain daylight. "Yes, you definitely have," she breathed.

"Maybe we could skive off the movie and just have dinner and then snog for a couple of hours?" he asked cheekily.

Lavender laughed. "I rather like that idea," she replied, grabbing his hand. They made it back to his flat in record time.

*** *** ***

A couple of nights later, Luna found herself sitting in Hermione's sitting room, going over wedding plans with Cho, Hermione and Lavender. Luna had barely heard a word any of them were saying. She was still mentally rehashing the argument she'd had with Ron. She honestly didn't know whether she was coming or going with him and the more she thought about it, the more infuriated she became.

"And I'm thinking Luna- do you like blue or pink better?" Cho was saying. "Luna?" she tapped her friend on the shoulder.

"Hmmm?" Luna asked, looking up to see three sets of eyes trained on her. "What did you say?"

Cho sighed. "Would you rather have blue or pink robes for when you stand up with us?"

"Blue," Luna answered. "I've never really liked pink."

Lavender made some notations on her sketchpad as Hermione sat back and regarded their friend. "Are you all right Luna?" she finally asked. "You've been awfully quiet the last few days."

"I'm fine," Luna lied. "Seriously."

Hermione gave her a disbelieving look. "I know I haven't known you as long as Cho or Harry or any of them have but I know when a person is upset about something."

Luna knew Ron probably wouldn't appreciate her airing their dirty laundry to their mutual friends, but if she didn't tell someone about this, she'd burst. It was times like these that she really missed her mother. "Nothing is wrong except that Ronald Weasley is a big fat prat," she heard herself say.

Hermione stopped swinging her leg over the arm of the chair she was sitting on, Cho sat up straight and Lavender nearly dropped her sketchpad. "Come again?" Cho asked.

She quickly related for them her conversation with Ron outside the Burrow. Before she could stop herself, she also told them how he'd been quite frugal over the past few weeks. "It's like its one step forward and two steps back with him," Luna said miserably. "I love him, but I don't know how much more of this ambiguity I can take. And to top it all off...someone else asked me out today."

This time Lavender really did drop her sketchpad and Hermione's eyes widened. "Someone else asked you out? What did you say?"

"I wasn't going to say yes," she said avoiding her friends' penetrating stares. "But he's been flirting with me ever since we started working together and it was just nice to have someone pay me attention like that and treat me nice...so he asked me out for this weekend...and I said okay."

Everyone was silent for a minute and then Hermione came and sat down by her. "I think its good you said yes."

"But what about Ron?" Cho asked her eyes still wide.

"Oh, sod Ron!" Lavender exclaimed. "He obviously is just stringing her along! She should go out with this other bloke. If anything maybe it'll get the wanker to wake up before he loses her!"

Cho felt sorry for her redheaded friend but she could see where Luna was coming from. "I think you should go," she said quietly. "And if you have a good time... maybe see where it all takes you to. If it means you and Ron break up then it's probably better you do it now rather than when you're in my condition or living together like Harry and Hermione."

"Do you think I should tell Ron?" Luna asked. "I've kind of been avoiding him the past couple of days."

They were all silent again. "That's really up to you," Hermione finally replied.

"My life was much simpler when I was single," Luna said, managing a slight smile.

There was a collective laugh and Hermione hugged her. "If you need backup if you do decide to tell Ron let us know okay?"

"Alright," Luna said gratefully. "Enough about me...we're supposed to be talking about the wedding, right?"

"Right," Cho knew Luna was trying to change the subject. "We've reserved a room at the Ministry, where the actual ceremony will be, and then afterwards we're going back to...." she paused dramatically. "Your favourite Italian restaurant Luna and mine!" she laughed.

"Maybe I can ask that cute waiter out," Luna said, only half-joking.

"What, instead of grabbing his arse again this time you'll actually talk to him?" Hermione laughed.

"I still think you lot are making that up," Luna replied. "I have no recollection of that event whatsoever."

"You have no recollection of that event because you were pissed beyond belief," Lavender chimed in.

Hermione and Cho began laughing again. "That's right Lavender practically had to carry you back to your flat." Cho was giggling.

"If you can hold off teasing me for a few minutes," Luna said, getting up from her seat. "I'm going to get myself some butterbeer. Anyone want anything while I'm up?"

"I'm fine," Hermione said, Lavender echoing the sentiment.

"Could you refill me on some pumpkin juice?" Cho asked.

"You got it," Luna said, leaving the room.

"So," Lavender said looking at her cousin. "How's Mr. Wonderful?" She smiled as she said it because she knew Hermione hated it when she called Harry by this particular nickname. "Where is the love of your life tonight?"

Hermione made a face at her. "Harry is out with Neville- they had a late training session? What about Mr. Patience?" she smirked at Lavender.

"Still patient, thank you," Lavender replied sweetly. "He's filming tonight."

"I see," Hermione smiled at Cho, who was getting up to go use the loo.

"He's really great, Hermione," Lavender couldn't help gushing when they were alone.

"I'm happy for you," Hermione said.

"I'm happy for me, too," Lavender said. "I know we're nowhere near where you and Harry are, but I could really see myself falling hard for him. No, I have already fallen hard for him."

Hermione's eyes widened. "Tell me more!" she slid over on the sofa.

"He's just so great, Hermione," Lavender said dreamily. "And he is patient. He understands how I feel about that and he said he wasn't going to make me do anything I wasn't ready for. At the beginning, I wasn't sure what to make of him. I kept thinking he must have some ulterior motive, but he doesn't. He just wants me to be happy and comfortable and safe. And I... I am when I'm with him. I'm all those things."

Hermione grinned. "Sounds as if you've found your Mr. Wonderful," she teased.

"I may have," Lavender said happily. At that moment, Luna came back into the room and Lavender decided to change the subject.

"So are you back on top again? All that extra studying paying off?" she asked Hermione.

"I am," Hermione answered smugly. "And Harry's quite pleased about that as well," she recalled their 'celebration' the previous evening which involved a bottle of Muggle champagne and some very sticky bed sheets by the time they were through.

Luna laughed. "I don't see how you do it. The two of you can barely keep your hands off each other yet you still manage to get top marks in all your classes. I am in awe, Hermione."

Hermione laughed. "That's my trade secret too," she smiled.

"Are you still studying with that Gordon?" Lavender asked.

"Mmhmm..." Hermione began to pull her hair up and twist it around. "Usually we'll study in between our classes and meet two or three times a week in the evenings to work on something."

"I still say he fancies you," Lavender said.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "We're not going on about that again are we?" she asked.

"I was just making an observation," Lavender said. "Besides, why are you getting so testy? I'm just trying to look out for you."

"Harry's suspicions are bad enough," Hermione replied firmly. "It's just getting tiring to explain over and over again that Gordon and I are just friends."

"I think Gordon Devereaux would beg to differ," Lavender answered absently. When Hermione shot her an annoyed look, Lavender decided to change the subject. "Did anyone have any more ideas about the party for Neville and Cho?" Lavender asked her voice low.

Hermione let her hair fall back down past her shoulders. "Well since they're having the 'reception' at the Italian place we can't use that," she said pensively.

"What about the Three Broomsticks?" Luna suggested. "Maybe we could convince Madam Rosmerta to let us have it for the evening?"

"There's an idea," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Do either of you have time to run over there tomorrow?"

"I can," Luna volunteered. "I have an interview near there tomorrow so it wouldn't be any trouble to just go over there."

"Fantastic," Hermione smiled as Cho came back in the room.

"What's fantastic?" Cho asked.

"Butterbeer," Luna said, holding up her bottle. "This stuff is fantastic!"

"Yes, I already knew that. And I'd love to have some..." she sighed.

"Your pumpkin juice," Luna said, handing the glass to her. "You could just pretend its butterbeer."

Cho gave her a dirty look. "It's just not the same," she grumbled, shifting around on the chair.

"Uncomfortable?" Hermione asked sympathetically. "When is your due date again?"

"In January," Cho sighed. "So two months and a few days to go."

"Unless Little Longbottom there decides to put in an early appearance," Luna said.

Cho couldn't help but smile at the name. "Did I tell you guys we sent adoption papers to Malfoy and he's already sent them back?" she said softly.

"He did sign them, didn't he?" Lavender asked, sitting up straight.

"Yes..." Cho replied. "It just... I don't have any regrets about marrying Neville or having him as this baby's father... but it saddens me to see how easily Malfoy let it all go. It's no skin off his back. I guess I hoped deep down he'd have SOME interest in his own child."

"Something tells me it's better this way," Luna said thoughtfully. "I don't see him wanting to share custody, do you? He'd either want or all or nothing."

"That's very true," Cho smiled. "In any case... this also means we're free of Malfoy. He can't make any claims on this baby, ever."

Luna looked at her friend. "Do you think someday you might tell your child about his or her biological father?"

"I might," Cho replied. "Well, yes I probably will tell him or her eventually, when he or she is old enough to understand." she rubbed her belly. "Oooh... the baby's kicking again," she grinned.

"Oh!" Lavender said, practically jumping out of her seat and over to Cho. "Can I?" she asked. When Cho nodded, Lavender put her hand on Cho's belly and grinned. "That is so cool!"

Cho grinned even wider. "Neville thinks we might have a footballer but I'm thinking it might be a dancer as well." Hermione came over and pressed her hand on her stomach too.

"It's amazing," she said as Luna joined them. "To think you've got another human being in there..." she looked up at Cho. "I'm so glad you kept the baby."

"Me too," Cho said softly. "Me too..."

12. Chapter 12

A/N: Here’s a short one for you guys, we’ll have the next update most likely on Saturday night so it won’t be too long of a wait ;)

Thanks to all of you who reviewed chapter 11, most of your reviews have been responded to so make sure and check them out if you want :D

Harry sat back in the chair at the cafe he and Neville were eating lunch at; he cracked his back and stretched his legs. "This morning was pretty brutal," Harry finally uttered.

"Yet you're still smiling," Neville said grumpily. "Why is that?"

"I had a very good night last night." Harry said simply. "Hermione's back on top of her class, therefore she was back on top of me."

"I'd smack you upside the head if I could move my arm," Neville said with a slight laugh. "The two of you are just like rabbits."

Harry grinned. "Can't say I disagree with you," he replied airily. "Hermione just can't resist me." his tone turned boastful.

"Obviously she could," Neville shot back. "Two words for you, Harry...'cut off'."

"And look how long that lasted," Harry replied smugly. "Barely a week. And that was only sex, I might add. She lets me kiss her anytime."

"Speaking of kisses, Romeo," Neville said. "Here comes Megan."

"Shit," Harry slid down but it was too late.

"Hi Harry!" the bubbly girl was upon them. "Hi Neville!"

"Hello Megan," Harry replied.

"What has you in such a good mood today, Megan?" Neville asked, but he already knew the answer. "That training session this morning didn't wear you out?"

"Oh of course not!" Megan replied. "Can I sit down?" she did so without waiting for an answer. "Harry you certainly don't look tired out!"

"I'm not," Harry replied. "But why don't you ask Neville about that?"

"Harry was just telling me about the night he and his girlfriend had," Neville said to Megan, trying to get the attention back off himself and onto Harry.

"What did you do?" Megan looked at him, her eyes wide.

"One guess," Harry said unashamedly.

Neville put his hand to his mouth to stop himself from laughing out loud.

Harry grinned at him. "Sod off Neville."

Megan turned her attention back to Harry. "I heard this incredible rumour about you and I just have to know if it is true."

"What's that?" Harry asked, stretching again.

Megan leaned in as if she was about to divulge her deepest, darkest secret. "I heard you were quite the dancer, is that true?"

“Who told you that?" Harry asked, amused with her for once.

"I was talking to my aunt's sister's cousin's best friend who saw you at some resort this summer," Megan said animatedly. "Is it true?"

"Maybe," Harry replied. "But yes, that is true."

Neville knew that what he was about to do would probably tick Harry off, but he couldn't resist. Slowly, he pushed his chair back. "I'll be right back. Need to go to the loo." He smirked at Harry as he slowly hobbled away from the table, leaving Harry to fend for himself with Megan.

Harry bit hard on his lower lip as Megan stared at him adoringly. "What?" he asked. "Is it that hard to believe I can dance?"

"As a matter of fact it is," she said, not even bothering to contain her glee at finally having him all to herself. "Maybe you and I could go out one night and you could show me what you can do?"

Harry shrugged. "I'd have to talk to my girlfriend," he said, the familiar annoyance creeping back into his tone. "Hermione- the one I've mentioned time and again?"

"She could come along of course," Megan said, not even the least bit deterred by the mention of Hermione's name. She rested her chin on her fist and stared dreamily at him. "You have the greenest eyes of anyone I've ever seen."

Harry coughed. "I've heard that before," he turned away, wishing Neville would come back. "Hermione says that to me all the time." He scuffed his feet along the pavement. “Is there a reason for you coming over here?” he finally asked when she wouldn’t stop staring at him.

"The real reason I came over here," Megan said blushing. "Well, you know how I'm really having trouble with that cloaking spell? I was speaking with Mr. Shacklebolt and he told me that I should practise with someone who really knows what they're doing. My training partner is Millie, but she's about as bad at it as I am. I was wondering if I could come over to your flat sometime and we could work on it."

"Uh..." Harry didn't know what to say. On one hand he was sure it was a ploy for her to get closer to him but on the other hand, he could make sure Hermione was at home. "Sure..." he finally said, unable to refuse a cry for help. "You can come over tomorrow if you want?"

"Really?" Megan asked excitedly. "Tomorrow would be perfection! I could bring dinner, too. We could make a night of it."

"I'm afraid I don't have the whole night," Harry interrupted. "Just a few hours after training is over."

Before Harry knew what she was doing, Megan had launched herself at him and given him a nearly suffocating hug. "Thank you so much, Harry!" she said happily. "Well, I better go. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure..." he choked out, patting her back awkwardly before she pulled away and kissed his cheek.

"Bye," Megan said in a high-pitched tone. She gave him an enthusiastic wave before she left the cafe. A few moments later, a nearly hysterical Neville came back to sit down.

"Sorry about that," he chortled.

"I hate you," Harry replied.

"Sorry, I couldn't help it," Neville said. "Did you let her down gently?"

"She asked me to help her with a cloaking spell... and you know me, I can't NOT help people. By the way, you're coming over after training tomorrow." Harry snapped.

"Afraid of what might happen when you're alone?" Neville asked, laughing.

"You got it," Harry replied grimly.

Gordon Devereaux watched the scene from afar, a sneer on his handsome face. "I knew there was something fishy about you Potter," he said to himself. He'd seen the other girl hugging and kissing him- never mind that Potter hadn't exactly kissed her back, he was sure that he would have had they not been in public.

Gordon didn't know who the girl was or what words she'd said to Harry, but it didn't really matter, did it? Gordon would simply tell Hermione what he'd seen. She'd believe him. He already knew she was a little insecure about her relationship with The Boy Who Lived. If he played his cards right, their relationship would be over by the end of the week.

*** *** ***

Hermione wasn't much of a cook by any stretch of the imagination, but she did know how to make one or two things really well. One of these was lasagne, which she knew Harry loved. Since she was still on such a high from her improved marks, she'd decided to give him a little treat. Cho was working late and wouldn't be home, so she figured they'd have the place to themselves.

She'd just finished setting the table when she heard the front door open.

"Hello?" Harry called. "Anyone home?"

"In the kitchen," she called out. "And I sure hope you're hungry!"

"For you?" Harry looked tired but he grinned when he saw her.

"For food," she said. "My afternoon class was cancelled so I thought I'd do something nice for you since you did something nice for me the other night."

"What did you make?" Harry wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Your favourite," she said proudly. She motioned to the table with her head. "And we have the house all to ourselves because Cho is working late."

Harry spun her around the kitchen a few times, delighting in her squeal. "I love you," he said unexpectedly.

"That's good because I wouldn't do this for someone who just liked me a whole lot," she said, when he set her back down.

"One question," Harry replied, unwilling to let go of her quite yet.

"What's that?" she asked.

"I need you to be here tomorrow at half past four," Harry said. "Please..."

"Okay," she said slowly. "Why?"

"Megan needs help with a cloaking charm," Harry replied. "And she asked if she could come over. I'm going to need help..." he grimaced. "Loads of help."

Hermione tried not to laugh. "She finally get to you?"

"I can't refuse help, especially with this," Harry replied. "Guess I'm soft at heart."

"I never thought I'd see the day that Harry Potter would need me to protect him," Hermione teased.

"Don't let it go to your head Granger," Harry growled playfully.

"Come on, Harry," she said, taking his hand and leading him to the table. "You can tell me all about how little old Megan finally wore you down."

"Why so you can try it next time?" Harry smirked, grabbing two bottles of butterbeer before sitting down.

"Very funny," she said. "Very funny. I wasn't aware I had to do anything since I already had you."

"That you do," Harry leaned over and kissed her briefly yet thoroughly.

"Hmmmmm," she said when they broke apart. "I guess I should cook for you more often."

"Maybe," Harry replied, about to kiss her again when she pulled away. "Right, food..." his stomach grumbled and Hermione laughed.

"I guess it is true then," Hermione said thoughtfully. "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

"Or you in that tight dress you wore at the Sheldrake," Harry's eyes gleamed. "I'll never forget the first time I saw you in that." Hermione bit her lower lip to keep from grinning as she scooped out a generous amount of lasagne and brought it to him on a plate.

"I still don't think you could technically call that a dress," Hermione mused. "It's a really good thing my dad never saw me in that."

Harry grinned as he took a large bite. "Hey this is really good!" he said, his mouth full.

"You sound surprised," Hermione said trying to look affronted.

"I didn't know you could cook is all," Harry replied. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Don't get too impressed," she said. "I can make two things really well: lasagne and rice pudding. Other than that, I'm about on the same culinary level as Cho."

Harry laughed. "Guess this means I'm still the main chef of the house."

"But I have been meaning to learn more about cooking. When things die down with classes, maybe I'll read more about it," Hermione said thoughtfully before taking a bite.

"If you like," Harry replied. "I don't mind making dinner for you."

"I don't mind you making dinner for me, either," she said with a smile. "You know that's another thing you and my dad have in common. My mum is terrible in the kitchen, too. If it weren't for my dad, I think she'd go hungry."

Harry grinned. "It's a manly thing," he pretended to boast. "Next thing I know you'll be giving me and your dad matching aprons." he joked.

"There's an idea for Christmas," she said. "I was wondering what on earth I could get you and now you've sorted me out for both you and my dad."

"I was joking Hermione," Harry replied. "I don't wear aprons."

"I think you'd look cute in an apron," she teased. Harry broke off a piece of garlic bread and threw it across the table at Hermione. She was about to retaliate when the telephone rang.

"I'll get it," she said getting to her feet.

"Hello?" she said. "Oh, hi. Gordon....yeah....No, well, I guess we could meet then.....Do you think we'll be done tomorrow by four?" As she asked the last question, she grinned at Harry to let him know she hadn't forgot about him wanting her to be there when Megan arrived.

Harry, who had tensed when he heard the name Gordon, relaxed immediately.

"Oh...well, if it's important...yeah.....sure. See you then." Hermione hung the phone up and went back to the table. "Gordon wants to meet me tomorrow after class."

"What for?" Harry asked, stuffing more lasagne and bread in his mouth to hide the grimace that suddenly made an appearance on his face.

Hermione shrugged. "Don't know. He sounded a little mysterious. I asked if it was something having to do with our assignment and he said yes, but he had something else he needed to talk to me about."

"Oh," Harry instantly knew Gordon was up to something. "What do you think it is?"

"You never know with Gordon," Hermione said with a laugh. "Sometimes he can make something sound so dramatic and it turns out to be something really trivial."

"Right," Harry finished off the large slice of lasagne and dropped his fork on the empty plate. "That was just fantastic," he grinned at his girlfriend. "I knew there was a reason I loved you."

"Just one reason?" Hermione asked raising a sardonic eyebrow.

"One of many," Harry grinned.

"Seconds?" she asked, pleased.

"Of what?" Harry asked devilishly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Dinner, you prat! If not, I have dessert, too." When Harry gave her a seductive look, Hermione glared at him. "I swear sometimes I think you have a one-track mind."

"I can't help it!" Harry proclaimed, pulling her over so she was on his lap. "If you weren't always around to tempt me I might be able to keep other things besides you on my mind."

"You keep this up and I can remember another pressing engagement I have at around four," Hermione said. "Then you'd have to be here all alone with Megan."

Harry squeezed her sides. "What are you saying, Hermione? That you don't like me thinking of you all the time?"

"No," she said leaning back against his chest. "I like it quite a bit actually. I was just teasing you anyway. I just thought tonight, we'd just have a nice night in front of the fire...maybe watch a film or something. We never get to do couple things like that."

Harry hugged her to him. "That sounds fantastic," he said. "I can take a night off from studying if you can."

Hermione grinned. She repositioned herself on his lap so she was facing him. "I don't think it'd hurt to take one night off. Just don't tell Gordon. He's really relentless with studying."

"It's none of his business anyways," Harry kissed her softly.

"You're right," she said, getting to her feet and leading Harry into the living room. "What he doesn't know can't hurt him, right?"

"Right," Harry squatted by the fire, lighting it instantly.

Hermione watched from the sofa as Harry sifted through their DVD collection trying to pick out a movie. She remembered all those nights of sneaking around at Hillsdale and how she'd longed for a night like this. She didn't reckon it could get any better than the two of them alone in their own place doing something as normal as having dinner and watching a movie. Some people might call it boring, but she would have to disagree. This was everything she could have hoped for and so much more.

*** *** ***

Ron had never felt so awkward around someone he believed he knew so well. Even at that movie night at Hillsdale when Ginny found out he'd been part of the plan to exploit her didn't come close to the way he felt right now, sitting at a cafe having lunch with his girlfriend.

Except lately, he hadn't felt like she wanted to be his girlfriend anymore. They had barely talked all week and even now she was busy writing on some parchment while he worked on some order forms. "Luna?" Ron finally asked.

"Yes?" she said, not looking up from her parchment.

"I was hoping maybe we could go dancing again this weekend?" Ron asked. "Maybe on Saturday night?"

Luna stopped writing, but still didn't look up to meet Ron's gaze. "I don't think I can."

"What?" Ron asked. "Why not?"

Luna placed her quill down and finally looked at him properly. "Because I have other plans," she said simply.

"You have other plans?" Ron was completely confused. "Who with?"

"Someone from work," she said, picking up her quill again and beginning to scribble furiously on the parchment.

"Who?" Ron's voice grew harder.

"What difference does it make?" she asked exasperatedly. "After all, you and I are just having fun, right? We're not looking to settle down, right?"

"Luna are you going on about that again?" Ron sighed impatiently. "I've told you... I just can't.... commit right now all right? I want to wait until I've made more money until I do something like that!"

"Do whatever you want, Ronald," Luna said icily. "Just understand that it goes both ways. I'm going to do what I want, too."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron felt himself getting angry.

"It means whatever you want it to mean," Luna retorted. "You know I don't understand you at all, Ronald. Just when I think I have you figured out, you do something that completely makes me wonder what I ever saw in you in the first place!"

"You don't mean that Luna," Ron replied. "I know you don't."

"See?" she asked him. "There you go again! You think you can take me for granted all this time and I'm not going to get tired of it because poor Loony Lovegood couldn't possibly get anyone else to be interested in her?" Luna angrily started stuffing her parchment into her bag.

"There's someone else interested in you?" Ron asked quietly, finally seeing what she had been hinting at. "You're going out with someone else this weekend?"

"Yes," she admitted. "Someone from work asked me out and I...I said yes."

"Why?" Ron asked feeling like someone was jumping up and down on top of him.

"Do you really want to know the answer to that?" she asked.

"I suppose I don't deserve an answer do I?" Ron stood up so abruptly that their drinks spilled. "Maybe you really are what I thought at school!"

Luna looked at him as if he'd slapped her. Quickly covering, she stood up as well. "I guess that says it all, doesn't it?"

"I guess so," Ron glared angrily at her. "Don't come crying to me when this NEW guy doesn't treat you as good as I have!" he turned and started to stomp the other way down the street.

"Fine!" Luna exclaimed picking up her bag and stalking away. She was aware that their little row at the cafe had created quite a scene, but at the moment, she didn't care.

Ron slammed back into the shop, scaring some of the younger customers in the store but he didn't care. "Can't bloody believe her!" he said to himself in a fury.

Luna plopped down on a bench just outside The Quibbler office. She was so angry right now that she didn't want to go back inside until she had her emotions under control. She could never remember a time when she'd been more furious at another human being in her entire life. "Can't bloody believe him!" she exclaimed, as she clenched her fists.

*** *** ***

Hermione sat on a bench just outside the library. It was an unseasonably warm day and she couldn't bear being inside on such a nice day. She hoped whatever Gordon wanted with her wouldn't take too long. It was already gone three in the afternoon and she'd promised Harry she'd be home at four so he wouldn't have to deal with Megan Reilly all by himself.

Gordon watched her for several minutes, wishing his hands were the wind that currently played with her long hair, sending the strands awry. He would cup her face then, bringing her lips to his for a binding kiss. The fantasy made him smile as he hoped what he had to tell her would soon make that fantasy a reality. He left his spot, a grin on his face as he walked towards her. "Afternoon Hermione," he said, keeping his voice as neutral as possible.

"Hi, Gordon," she said warmly. "It's such a beautiful day. I hope you don't mind that I waited for you outside instead."

"Not at all," he sat down beside her. "What are you reading about?"

"I stopped in at a Muggle book shop on my way to class," she admitted. "I've been meaning to learn more about cooking. I'm pretty helpless except for a couple of dishes and I want to get better. I picked up some cook books. Pretty silly, huh?"

"That’s not silly," Gordon said, smoothing his trousers with his hands. "I'm more than willing to try any experiments you might have," he grinned charmingly at her.

"You might regret those words," Hermione said with a laugh. "But, I'll keep that in mind."

"Sounds good," Gordon replied, letting his smile fade. "Look, Hermione," he touched her hand. "I asked you to meet me here today for a reason- I hope you'll hear me out."

"It sounds serious," Hermione said, looking earnestly at him.

"Well... I thought it was," Gordon paused for dramatic effect. "Yesterday when getting a bite to eat during our break... I saw Harry sitting at a cafe." he grasped both of Hermione's hands with his. "I saw him kissing another girl, Hermione."

Hermione's smile faded. "What are you talking about?"

"Yesterday, I saw Harry sitting at a cafe with some girl, she had reddish blonde hair... they were hugging and kissing." Gordon looked at her sympathetically. "I didn't want to be the one to tell you... but I consider you a good friend Hermione and I'd want the same to be done for me if I were in your shoes."

To Gordon's surprise, Hermione started to laugh. When she saw the look on his face, she patted his hand. "Gordon," she said, trying to keep a straight face. "I appreciate you telling me that, but you didn't see what you thought you saw!"

"Oh?" Gordon tried not to let his surprise show and instead brought a bemused expression to his face. "What did I see then?"

Hermione giggled. "The girl you saw him with is Megan...she's in his training class. She's got a bit of a crush on him. She asked Harry to help her out with some spells she's having trouble with and he relented. I guess what you saw was her thanking him. Harry told me all about it last night."

Hermione leaned back on the bench. "He'd probably kill me if he knew I was telling you this, but she's coming by the flat this afternoon and he made me promise to be there."

"Oh," Gordon replied. "Well... please accept my apologies then for being so mistaken about it... I feel awful now." he looked down at his lap, hoping it would win her sympathy.

"You shouldn't feel awful," Hermione said sincerely. "I appreciate you looking out for me."

She looked at Gordon and an idea came into her head. Gordon was single. This Megan was single, even though she'd set her sights on Harry. Maybe if she introduced the two of them, she could get Megan off of Harry's back and Gordon would learn that there was more to life than studying.

"Why don't you come home with me now?" she asked. "I have some leftover lasagne."

"Are you sure you'd like me there?" Gordon asked, still playing the sympathy card.

"Of course," Hermione said. "We're friends, aren't we?"

Gordon felt his smile falter but only for a split second. "Friends," he finally replied.

Hermione looked down at her watch. "And we better get going if we're going to make it on time. Harry will be cross if I'm late."

'I'll bet he will be,' Gordon cursed silently as he followed the girl he was meant to be with out of the courtyard.

13. Chapter 13

A/N: Here is the next chapter as promised. We're both very happy that you are reading our story, but do you know what would make us ecstatic? If you would just take a moment at the end of the chapter here and let us know what you thought...good, bad, or indifferent.

Cho sat contentedly on the sofa, nearly purring as Neville rubbed the bottoms of her feet. "That feels so bloody good," she moaned.

"Like that do you?" Neville asked huskily.

"I do..." Cho replied, looking at him with lidded eyes. "I'm counting down the days until you officially get to do this every day for the rest of your life, you know." she teased.

"I heard you were trying to make that part of our vows," he said.

"Did someone already spill the beans? That was supposed to be a surprise," Cho joked, rubbing her belly. "Little one has been quite active lately... must be all the excitement around here."

"Maybe the little one is as excited to meet Megan as Harry is," Neville said with a grin.

Cho started laughing. "And we can tell how excited Harry is about that."

"You know he told me I had to be here this afternoon," Neville said conversationally. "But, I wouldn't have passed up this opportunity for all the money in the world. Wait until you see this girl, Cho. She's relentless. She's like Ginny Weasley without the evilness."

"Goodness," Cho said. "That's awfully scary for our friend isn't it?" she hid a smile with her hand as Harry charged into the room.

"You know, I'll bet that rotting bugger keeps Hermione late just to spite me!" Harry snapped.

"Who are you talking about?" Neville asked. "And why are you so upset...It's not even four yet."

"He's talking about Gordon, again..." Cho replied in a bored tone.

"Oh, him," Neville said nodding. Deciding to change the subject to something he knew would lighten Harry's mood. "When I dropped Cho off last night, we saw you and Hermione fast asleep on the sofa, wrapped up in each other's arms," Neville said exchanging a look with Cho. "We were glad that you were fully dressed, weren't we, Cho? You never do know with the rabbits, though."

It seemed to have worked, for Harry suddenly grinned. "Don't worry- we know how to spare your virgin eyes Longbottom."

"Hilarious, Potter," Neville retorted. "Ever think of giving up the life saving trade for a career as a comic?"

"I hear I should," Harry said with a straight face. "Probably make a mint or two at it."

"Let's see how many jokes you have when your Number One Fan arrives," Neville said with a sly grin.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Once Hermione gets here I'll be just fine... maybe Megan will finally realise she has no chance with me whatsoever. I don't know how else to tell her but to show her...."

"Please tell me you're not going to shag Hermione in front of her!" Neville interjected.

Harry raised his eyebrows. "That's not a bad idea..." he began but was thankfully interrupted by the doorbell.

"Go get her, lover boy," Neville said as Harry slowly made his way for the door. Cho dissolved into giggles alongside Neville.

Harry opened the door and saw instead of the overly cheery face of Megan, his girlfriend with a rather dour looking Gordon behind her. "You made it!" he said in relief.

"Yeah," Hermione said giving him a hug. "I wouldn't have rung the bell, but I misplaced my keys and my wand is at the bottom of my bag."

"That's fine," Harry kissed her quickly. "Hello Gordon," he said cordially. "What brings you over?"

Hermione didn't give Gordon a chance to answer as she pulled him inside the house. "I promised him some leftover lasagne. Um, Harry? Might I have a quick word in the kitchen?"

"Of course," Harry let her lead him in while Gordon went into the living room. "What is it?"

"I think I have the answer to all of our problems," Hermione said smugly.

Harry had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. "What problems?"

"What if Megan had someone else to occupy her time?" Hermione asked hypothetically. "And say that someone turned out to be...oh; I don't know...Gordon..."

Harry laughed. "Meddler..." he leaned in for another kiss. "If you could get her out of my hair I'd be your slave forever..." he grinned wickedly.

Hermione kissed him again. "I'm going to hold you to that."

The doorbell rang and Harry groaned audibly. "Come on..." He took Hermione's hand firmly in his.

"I think I'll just wait in here," Hermione said, trying to pull away from him. She bit her bottom lip so she wouldn't laugh at the look on his face.

"No," Harry pulled on her arm. "Hermione you don't understand... if I don't answer the door with you she might do something you'll regret!"

"Okay, okay," Hermione said giggling. "I wouldn't want that to happen. Let's go greet the woman who's after my man."

Harry gripped her hand as he reluctantly pulled open the door. An ear piercing shriek filled the air.

"I was so nervous when no one answered the door that I'd gotten the wrong house!" a breathless Megan rushed inside. "And it's so cold outside."

"Right... er... sorry about that." Harry pulled Hermione to his side. "Megan I want you to meet my girlfriend, Hermione."

"It's nice to meet you, Megan," Hermione said, holding out her hand to the young woman, who didn't even see to register Hermione's presence.

Harry stifled a sigh. "Are you ready to practise cloaking charms?" he asked heavily, shooting a look at Hermione.

"Oh yes of course," Megan seemed to shake herself out of some sort of trance. "Hi, I'm Megan Reilly!"

"Hermione Granger," Hermione said, again extending her hand to Megan, who shook it enthusiastically. "Pleasure to meet you."

"You too!" Megan bubbled. "I've heard a lot about you from Harry..." she cast an adoring glance at him. "When he starts talking I can't help but listen to everything he says."

Hermione stifled a laugh. "I know what you mean, Megan. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Oh no thank you, I'm just here for some practising." Megan looked at Harry again.

"Neville's also here to help out," Harry said. "Hermione, you, Cho and Gordon don't mind waiting in the kitchen or something do you?"

"Of course not," Hermione said winking at her boyfriend. "I'll leave you two to it then."

"Three of us, you mean." Harry cast her a panicked glance.

"I forgot about Neville," Hermione said apologetically. One look at Megan and Hermione knew she had too.

Gordon pressed his lips together in amusement as he saw a quite miserable looking Harry lead Hermione and this other girl Megan into the living room. After introductions were passed around Hermione beckoned to him and Cho and they went into the kitchen.

"You sure do have a nice home," Megan said, looking around the living room. "Do you live here alone?"

Harry blinked. "No." he answered shortly. "Look, let's get to practising. I've a busy night ahead of me with all the reading we have to get done with for tomorrow." he had no idea how Megan had made it into the Auror training program, much less how she would be graduating from it.

"Of course," Megan said quickly. "I really appreciate you offering to help."

In the kitchen, Hermione and Cho were laughing as Harry rather patiently instructed Megan over and over how to do a cloaking charm. Neville was obviously in there only to keep the girl from jumping on Harry, as he was staying silent.

"Goodness, they weren't kidding about her," Cho said.

"She's got it bad alright," Hermione agreed.

"That doesn't bother you, Hermione?" Gordon asked carefully.

"No," Hermione answered truthfully. "She's pretty harmless and I can't fault her for her good taste in men. Besides, I trust Harry just as he trusts me."

Cho sat herself down at the table. "So what brought you back here to London Gordon?" she asked pleasantly. "Hermione tells me you've been abroad these past few years."

"That's true," Gordon replied. "I thought it was time to put roots down in one place and London's always been home."

"Has it?" Cho smiled. "How did you end up at Beauxbatons instead of Hogwarts?"

"My father worked for the Ministry in France," Gordon explained. "It made much more sense for me to go to school there instead of going to Hogwarts."

Hermione set her lasagne down in front of Gordon. "Be honest now. Harry absolutely loved it last night, and I know you had some too Cho," she grinned at her friend who smiled back innocently.

"I may have had some for breakfast," Cho admitted. "And I brought a little plate with me for lunch today at the shop."

“See and I thought we had a mouse,” Hermione teased.

"This is really delicious, Hermione," Gordon said before taking another bite. "I really appreciate you asking me home with you today. Living by myself, I don't get to eat a lot of food that doesn't come out of a paper sack."

"That's really a shame," Hermione replied. "You ought to drop by for dinner more often then."

Cho looked out the window, knowing Harry certainly wasn't going to like that one bit.

Gordon smiled warmly back at Hermione. He was about to say something else to Hermione when the sound of high-pitched laughter came from the living room.

Hermione raised her eyebrow but didn't comment. She could see why Harry was so annoyed with this Megan Reilly, and she certainly didn't think to match her up with Gordon now that she'd met her. "One of them must have done something funny," she finally said.

Cho laughed. "Megan tripped over Neville's shoe and Harry was able to catch her right before she hit the floor."

Hermione bit her lower lip to keep from laughing as well. "My hero saves the day again," she murmured fondly.

Gordon felt sick just listening to Hermione carry on about Potter. Couldn't she see that he was probably in his element playing the hero to some fawning girl? He felt Cho's eyes on him and he quickly gave her a grin hoping she hadn't seen the look of disgust on his face when Hermione talked about Harry.

Cho in fact had caught the momentary look and made a mental note to bring it up to Harry when he was finished in the living room. She could see why he didn't trust this Gordon fellow- his eyes followed Hermione around the room constantly and Cho suddenly knew Lavender was right. Gordon still fancied Hermione. "If you'll excuse me, I need to use the loo a moment," she staggered out of her chair.

Gordon could barely contain the smile on his face when Cho left the room. He was finally going to be alone with Hermione. Unfortunately, Hermione took Cho's spot by the doorway to the kitchen and seemed intent on watching Harry.

"You see," Hermione said softly after a few minutes as not to disturb the lesson. "Megan was only thanking him for agreeing to help her today." she looked at Gordon and smiled. "Harry's wonderfully patient with people who need help on this sort of thing. They weren't hugging and kissing at all."

"I guess I stand corrected," Gordon said with a fixed smile. "From my vantage point, it looked much worse than it actually was, I guess."

Hermione shrugged, not offended. "You're completely right," she said. "She's just an avid fan I suppose."

From outside the kitchen, Cho listened with her jaw agape. Gordon had actually told Hermione that he had seen Harry and Megan kissing and hugging? She made another mental note and re-entered the kitchen. "Anything else go wrong yet?"

"Not yet," Hermione smiled. "Looks as if they're doing well enough for now."

From the living room, Neville looked at his friend as he again showed Megan the proper technique. She didn't seem to be getting it, but she did seem to be at least putting in an effort. Harry kept shooting him looks over Megan's shoulder that basically were asking for Neville to do something to wrap this up. Part of him liked seeing his friend suffer, but he knew when enough was enough.

"Hey, Harry?" Neville asked, interrupting. "Didn't you say you had to do something with Hermione?"

"I do," Harry replied, following along. "Celebration of sorts, you could say."

"Oooh!" Megan said excitedly. "I love celebrations! What are you celebrating?"

Harry looked to Neville for help again. "Um... Cho and Neville's engagement... sort of ongoing you know? And then... it's back to the books for me."

Megan nodded. "Yeah, me too. I do need to stop by the Ministry on my way home to see my uncle though."

"Who's your uncle?" Harry couldn't help but ask curiously.

"Cornelius Fudge," Megan said simply as she put on her cloak.

"You're Fudge's niece?" Neville asked.

"Yeah," Megan said. "But don't tell anyone else in our class. They'd probably think Uncle Corny was showing me favouritism or something and he could get into quite a bit of trouble."

"Right," Harry's lips were twitching furiously at Megan's name for her uncle. "Well..." he said walking behind her in the hallway. "Guess we'll see you tomorrow in class."

"Sure," Megan said. "I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, Harry."

She hesitated for just a moment before standing on her tiptoes and giving Harry a peck on the cheek. "Thanks again!"

"Bye," Harry rubbed at his cheek as he shut the door behind her. He went back into the living room where Neville was standing.

"Don't say it Harry!" Neville held up his hand, his teeth biting down hard on his lower lip.

"I can't help it. Uncle Corny!" Harry fell back on the sofa, laughing hard.

"What on earth are you two going on about?" Hermione asked coming out of the kitchen followed closely by Gordon and Cho.

Harry stopped for a breath but one look at Neville had him doubled over again. "Ask him..." he managed to wheeze.

Neville guffawed as Cho and Hermione exchanged confused glances. He finally managed to choke out the words, "Megan...Fudge's niece...Uncle Corny!" before he doubled over in laughter again.

Cho immediately realised what they were laughing about. "Well there's why she's in the Auror training program," her lips curved up in a smile.

Gordon looked perplexed as Harry and Neville finally settled down. "Obviously he's pulled some strings for her, which really isn't right." he said.

"Would you expect any less of Fudge?" Neville asked.

"I suppose not," Hermione said her arms folded. "Things will go much better when I take over the Ministry someday."

Harry walked over to Hermione and put an arm around her. "Don't forget us little people when you're in power, love."

"Never," Hermione grinned back and pecked him on the lips. "Are you hungry?"

"Depends on what you have in mind?" Harry asked mischievously.

Neville cleared his throat. "Don't forget, other people in the room." he looked at Gordon. "We've been trying to get them to work on that."

Gordon didn't crack a smile. He couldn't believe Hermione would let Potter paw at her like that.

"I wasn't kidding about tons of reading, unfortunately," Harry said with a groan. "I should get on that. Neville?"

"Yeah, me too," Neville said, catching a sideways glance at Cho who was looking at Gordon.

"Hermione?" Gordon asked. "Didn't you want to go to that lecture Professor Woods was giving? It starts in about thirty minutes and if we leave now, we should make it."

"Right," Hermione replied. "It doesn't get out too late so I'll be back by dinner all right Harry?"

"Okay," Harry said, giving her a chaste kiss. "Thanks for being here for the whole Megan thing."

"Anytime," Hermione rubbed her thumb over his cheek for a split second before kissing him again. "I'll see you in a few hours."

Neville headed off into the kitchen for a drink and Cho glanced at Harry. "I really need to talk to you," she said in a low voice.

"Okay," Harry said nonplussed.

She sat down heavily. "Well, first things first- Lavender was right. Gordon fancies Hermione... very much."

"I knew that already," Harry said, sitting down beside her.

"Well I'm just telling you again," Cho warned. "And..." she leaned in even closer. "Apparently Gordon saw you and Megan at some cafe yesterday- he told Hermione he saw you two hugging and kissing."

Harry fumed. "And I bet he couldn't wait to run to Hermione to tell her what he thought he saw!"

"It certainly seems that way," Cho replied. "I'm not a nark Harry, but I know he's trying to horn in on Hermione."

"I appreciate you telling me," Harry said, getting up. He didn't see how he was going to be able to study with this going around in his head. "I can't believe that arse comes into our home and thinks he can..."

"Don't let him get to you," Cho put her hand on his arm. "Harry, you know Hermione loves you and she's not after Gordon at all. I just wanted you to know."

"I'm not worried about her," Harry said in a softer tone. "That's not true...I'm worried that she doesn't seem to see what he's really after."

"That's bugging me too," Cho sighed. "She was watching you from the kitchen and he was watching her... sort of creepy really."

Harry rubbed his forehead with his hand. Anger was rising in him again as he thought about this. "And I just let her walk out the door with him!"

"Hermione's a big girl though," Cho said. "I've no doubt in my mind she can take care of him."

Harry wished he shared Cho's confidence. It wasn't that he doubted Hermione's capability or intelligence. Nothing could be further from the truth. What worried him was that she seemed to be determined to believe the best about this guy and that scared Harry. “Well…” he finally said pensively. “I’ll talk to Lavender about him and I’ll use our resources with the Auror training program to look up things on him…”

“There you go,” Cho was encouraging as Neville came back in the room. “And you,” she looked at her fiancé. “I’m ready for you to finish my massage.”

*** *** ***

Lavender reclined slightly on Seamus’s sofa as he carried in some butterbeer and a bowl of popcorn. “Thank you,” she accepted the bottle. “What are we watching?”

“Have you ever seen Toy Soldiers?” Seamus asked.

“Toy Soldiers?” Lavender wrinkled her nose. “Sounds like a kid’s film to me,” she grinned.

Seamus smiled as he explained the basic plot to her. “So basically this group of students have to help regain control of their school from the terrorists.”

“Oh,” Lavender replied. “That does sound good. Great pick,” she snuggled herself under his arm as they leaned back together.

Seamus occasionally stole glances at the blonde beauty currently lying next to him. Since she had finally loosened up and stopped thinking he had ulterior motives, the time they spent together was getting better and better.

They hadn’t yet slept together- they hadn’t even yet talked about sleeping together. He had decided to let her bring it up in her own time. But they had a great deal of fun with snogging- she was a fantastic kisser.

Seamus knew he was falling in love with Lavender. She was sweet, sensitive… slightly superficial but he thought that only added to her personality. He reverted his eyes back to the screen as she shifted, letting her blonde hair fall over his fingers. Lifting the heavenly smelling strands, the intoxicating scent made him grin.

A particularly loud part in the movie made her gasp. “Did that guy just get killed?” she asked her hand over her mouth.

“Yeah,” Seamus answered.

“That’s so sad…” he saw her eyes fill with tears as the main characters reacted to the other character’s death. Seamus rubbed her back soothingly while wrapping his other arm around her. “Why did they kill him?”

Seamus explained it to her the best he could without ruining the overall plot. “That’s still so sad,” Lavender wiped at her eyes. “You probably think I’m silly for crying like that.”

“Nah,” he grinned at her. “The first time I saw it I think I had a tear or two as well.”

Lavender looked up at him. “You did not, liar.”

“All right, it’s a sad part but I never cried,” Seamus laughed. “It must be a girl thing.”

“Must be,” Lavender laid her head back down on his chest. She listened to his heartbeat as his hands continued to stroke her hair. “Hey Seamus?” she asked softly.

“Hmm?” he asked his voice low.

“Would it be…” she trailed off. “Would it be stupid of me to tell you something really important right now?”

“No time like the present,” Seamus replied.

“Well…” Lavender was nervous. “I’ve thought I felt this way about a guy before but now with you… it’s completely different. I know we had a bit of a rocky start… but…” she drew in a deep breath. “I’ve fallen in love with you.”

Seamus stared wide eyed at her for several long minutes. “You have?” he finally asked.

“Merlin I’m so stupid,” she sat up and moved down the sofa. “I knew it was the wrong time!”

“No!” Seamus sat up as well. “Lavender… I’m in love with you as well.”

Lavender stared at him now as her eyes filled with tears. “You wouldn’t just be saying that to make me feel better right?” she asked in a tiny voice.

“I’d never say that unless I meant it,” Seamus said. “And I’ve never meant it... never said it… until I met you.”

Lavender let out a small sob as she flew at him, knocking him back onto the sofa. She pressed her mouth to his frantically, cupping his face between her hands.

Seamus returned her kiss, allowing his hands to run freely over her long shining locks. His fingers traced over her back and for the first time he let his hands wander up underneath her shirt.

“Okay?” he gasped for air as their mouths pulled apart.

“Yes,” she muttered back, helping him pull her shirt over her head; his following suit.

They stared at each other, eyes roaming over bodies before they came back together, mouths fusing and hands touching every bare bit of skin they could find.

Lavender felt like her heart was going to burst out of her chest as they pulled apart some time later, both panting. Her hair was sticking to her face, and he grinned and brushed it away before kissing the tip of her nose.

“You’re amazing, you know that?” Seamus asked, running his hand up and down her arm.

“So are you,” Lavender replied. “Now kiss me again Finnigan.”

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Harry and Neville were sitting at the kitchen table poring over their different manuals and textbooks. They'd been at it for the past two hours. Cho had long since gone to bed. To Harry's dismay, Hermione had called earlier to tell him that she was going out to eat with Gordon and some other friends from school after the lecture. She wasn't home yet and Neville knew Harry wasn't too happy about this.

The doorbell chimed suddenly and Harry grinned. He hoped it was Hermione and that she'd forgotten her keys again. He quickly walked out of the kitchen and toward the front door. When he swung the door open, he didn't see Hermione, but a very upset Ron.

"Ron?" Harry asked.

"Hi," Ron muttered. "Can I come in?"

Harry didn't even have a chance to answer as Ron pushed past him.

"What's wrong with you then?" Harry asked as he shut the door.

"Luna and I broke up today," Ron said, clearly upset.

"What?" Harry asked in disbelief. "Why?"

Ron sighed as Harry led him into the kitchen. "What am I doing wrong?" he asked miserably. "All I wanted to do was find a place and have it be a surprise for her like you did with Hermione," he let his head fall onto the table. "Instead she gets mad at me because she says I don't pay enough attention to her." he turned his glare on Neville. "And then you... you have to go and propose to Cho and Luna gets all these crazy ideas about marriage."

"Hold on," Neville asked taken aback. "How on earth do you figure this is my fault?"

Ron knew he couldn't be angry at Neville. "It's not," he replied glumly. "But now Luna's talking about marriage and getting serious- I'm trying to! And of course I worded it all wrong by saying I didn't want to settle down- yet if she were pregnant I would stand by her and she had to have all these details..."

"And your big mouth got in the way," Harry interjected. "Hermione and I had the same sort of conversation, but it ended up a sight better than yours did obviously."

"Well that's not the worst of it," Ron said morosely. "She's going out with some other bloke from work this weekend."


"How'd you find out about that?" Neville asked.

"She told me," Ron stared at the table. "What the hell is her deal? I thought we WERE serious about one another, especially after all the shit we went through back at Hillsdale to be together."

"She probably just wanted to hear you say that you were as serious about her as she is about you," Harry said thoughtfully.

"How are you guys doing it?" Ron asked desperately. "How are you staying so busy and your girlfriends... excuse me, girlfriend and fiancée, staying... so happy?"

"Girls are different from us," Harry said simply. "It's not enough for them to be shown that you care about them, Ron. You have to tell them. And do a lot of reassuring."

"Yeah," Neville agreed. "And if you don't...look out!"

"Have they gotten mad at you for things like this?" Ron questioned. He slumped over in the chair. "Maybe I'm meant for bachelorhood. I can't seem to do anything right around Luna lately."

"Yeah," Harry said walking over to the icebox and pulling out a butterbeer bottle and handing it to Ron. "Need I remind you of that major row Hermione and I had a few weeks back when she found out about Cho and she met Isabella?"

"Yeah," Ron took a long draw from the bottle. "And you're all right now- what did you say to her?"

"I just told her that no one else had ever meant to me what she did," Harry said simply. "That I loved her and only her. And now we're doing okay..." His voice trailed off as he glanced at the clock on the microwave. The digital display read 11:20. Hermione still wasn't home.

"What is it?" Ron asked.

"Hermione's not home yet," he said quietly.

Ron looked at Neville, who shrugged. "Want to go out and look for her?" he asked.

There was nothing Harry wanted to do more, but he knew he was probably overreacting. "No, it's okay. I'm sure everything's okay."

Ron nodded dejectedly. "I really love her," he said quietly. "I just don't know what else I can do to prove that to her."

"I take it you two didn't end things on the best of terms?" Neville asked.

"We both yelled... stormed away," Ron took another long sip of butterbeer. "I felt so stupid afterwards but I don't know what to say to her now."

"Give her time to cool off," Neville suggested. "She's probably just going out with this other bloke to make you jealous."

"Luna doesn’t' strike me as the type to do that," Ron replied. "She wouldn't use another person that way."

"She probably felt like you were taking her for granted," Harry guessed. "Probably accepted because this bloke probably turned the charm on and she liked the attention...the attention she didn't think she was getting from you."

"Well how do I win her back?" Ron asked, frustrated.

"Grovelling?" Neville said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I know you probably don't want to hear this, Ron," Harry said, trying not to laugh at what Neville had just said. "But just give her some space to cool off. From what you've said, you’re probably the last person she wants to see. Then, I suggest you be honest with her about how you feel. And don't do what you normally do which is keep talking long after you should have stopped. Don't look at me like that! You know it's the truth!"

"Right," Ron replied, running his hand through his hair. "I just wanted to surprise her like you two did with Hermione and Cho."

"Everything will work out," Harry said reassuringly. "Just give it time."

Ron nodded. "All right," he finally said. "Just... you guys promise to tell me if you hear anything about this bloke right?"

"Sure," Harry said, looking at the clock again. Where in the world was Hermione?

"Yeah," Neville said. "We'll keep you posted."

Harry was about to take Ron up on his offer to go look for Hermione when he heard the front door open. He breathed a sigh of relief as he saw his girlfriend drop her bag and come to the kitchen. "Evening," she smiled. "Are you guys still reading?"

"Where the hell have you been?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

Hermione frowned at him. "After the lecture I got some dinner with friends, and then Gordon and I stayed and had coffee. We didn't notice how late it was getting."

"Yeah, I bet he didn't," Harry muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing," Harry answered, mustering a smile. "I'm just really glad you're home."

Hermione didn't look convinced as Neville began to pack away his books. "I should really get back to Seamus's," he said, giving Ron a look.

"Yeah, I have an early day tomorrow at the shop." Ron replied. "Thanks for the advice mate."

"No problem," Harry said. "Take care, Ron."

Ron nodded and followed Neville out the door.

Harry didn't look at Hermione as he walked back into the kitchen. He was tired and thanks to Gordon he was now angry.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked. "I'm sorry- we were talking about some things we studied about in class and I honestly didn't realise how late it was."

"Nothing's wrong," he answered curtly.

Hermione sighed. "You're angry because I didn't call. Harry, you're not my father- I don't have to report to you every hour on the hour."

Harry knew she was right. He wanted to tell her that he wasn't angry at her, but at Gordon. But, he also knew that if he told her this, she'd just get angrier than she was now. So, he decided to let it go...for now. "You're right," he said smiling at her. "You're right."

Hermione smiled back at him. "I'm going to bed," she said with a yawn. "Are you still staying up? And where's Cho?"

"Cho was exhausted so she went to sleep early," Harry explained. "And I am knackered as well, so if you don't mind, I'll join you."

"Sounds good to me," Hermione reached for him, giving him a tight hug.

He wrapped his arms around her and brought her close and made a vow that no one...not even Gordon Devereaux...would come between them.

14. Chapter 14

Author's note: Thanks again for the great response we received on the last chapter! Please keep it coming! We live for reviews! And to those of you who expressed concern about Gordon Devereaux...we just have a word of warning to you...be afraid, be very, very afraid..."

Ron found himself outside the office of the Quibbler a day later. He knew Harry and Neville had told him to wait and let Luna cool down but he couldn't. He was even ready to disclose his plans about finding a place for the both of them if it meant she'd come back to him. Taking a deep breath, he pushed the door open.

He held a rose in his hands like before, and let his most woebegone expression appear on his face. Ron had to stop himself from trembling as he approached her desk slowly. "Hi Luna," he said, stopping in front of her.

Luna looked up in surprise. "Ronald," she said coolly.

He noticed she did not look worse for wear like the last time they argued and that bothered him. "Can I talk to you?"

"I'm actually quite busy," she said, shuffling some papers on her desk.

"Well... can you take a break- or do you have one coming up where we can talk?" Ron asked.

Luna sat back in her chair and sighed. "What more could you possibly have to say?"

"I'm sorry?" Ron regretted that it came out like a question. "I didn't mean what I said."

"I'd like to believe you," Luna said honestly. "But, we've been here before, Ron. You do something that hurts me and you come around with a rose and say sweet things and I give you another chance. But, I invariably end up getting clobbered. I'm tired of going through that again and again. A person can only take so much."

Ron stared in panic as she got up and began to walk away from her desk. "But I didn't mean it!" he said. "I was being stupid and a daft git.”

Despite herself, Luna couldn't help a smile from forming at her lips. He always could make her laugh. But, it wasn't enough. "What do you mean?" she asked, turning around and looking at him.

Ron stood with his mouth open for a moment, trying to figure out what to say so that she'd listen to him. "I want to be with you," he said. "It's just that... all this talk about settling down and being married scares me. There are other things I want to do first." Ron realised he'd said the wrong thing yet again.

Luna stared at him feeling the anger boiling up inside her yet again. She cursed herself for not telling him to leave the moment he'd walked in the door. "I should have known," Luna said shaking her head. "I should have known. You are unbelievable, Ronald!"

"No! That didn't come out the way I meant it to!" Ron sighed when she went into that blasted room. It had all gone so perfectly in his head- him telling her how he wanted to move in with her, see how they liked living together before they took the next step of the relationship. It was just a damn shame his mouth could never work with his brain.

He decided he would try again- he went back to Luna's desk and sat down in her chair, determined to wait her out.

A few minutes later, Luna did come out of the room, but she wasn't alone. At her side was a tall, athletic looking bloke with dark olive skin and brown hair. Luna was chatting animatedly with him, but she stopped in her tracks when she saw that Ron was sitting at her desk.

Ron stared at her, nodding as he literally felt his heart break in two. He tossed the rose down on top of her paperwork and strode from the office, not looking back once.

*** *** ***

The following Saturday found Harry and Hermione at her parents' house for dinner. Harry and Robert had finally gotten around to playing another round of golf and at the moment Robert was regaling his family with how badly Harry had done yet again on the golf course that afternoon. Hermione looked across the table at Harry and had to give it to him. She knew he hated to fail at anything, but he seemed to be taking it all in stride. He'd even managed to contribute some jokes at his own expense.

"And after that," Robert continued merrily. "I think there are more chunks of grass missing from the course than if they had an attack of gophers." he laughed as did the rest of the family, Harry included.

"Can we talk about something else besides golf?" Lavender asked. "Honestly, what kind of satisfaction do you get from hitting a little white ball with a metal stick?"

"That's what I've been wondering myself," Harry joked.

"I imagine he's holding back on you, Robert," Elinore said laughing. "I bet Harry's really good at it and just doesn't want to make you look bad."

Hermione grinned. "Mum I think it's just the fact that is really IS bad," she laughed at the look on his face. "Sorry love."

"In my defence, I have only played it twice," Harry said smirking at Hermione. "I imagine if I kept at it, I'd improve. I seem to remember a certain someone with two left feet before she took lessons from a certain dance instructor."

Harry scratched his chin. "Who could that have been?"

"Ha, ha." Hermione sent him a glare.

"She gets that from her mother," Robert interjected.

Hermione couldn't help beaming at her father. She couldn't believe how far they'd all come. There was a time when she'd never believed that this was possible. Her father and Harry not only were acting civil towards each other, but Hermione knew that they were actually enjoying each other's company. It wasn't just because they felt an obligation to be nice because of Hermione. Hermione knew it was because they genuinely liked each other. A part of her wanted to scream out "I told you so!"

Harry grinned back at her, moving his foot under the table so it touched hers. "This vegetable casserole is fantastic Robert," he complimented. "I wish Hermione had gotten some of your cooking genes."

"Unfortunately for you," Robert said, "She also got that from her mother too."

"Hey!" Hermione said. "Harry, I made you a perfectly fine lasagne last week. And you didn't have any complaints then."

"Very true," he caught Lavender's eye; she was laughing silently. "But it would be nice if you were able to do more than just dishes." his eyes twinkled at Hermione

"Keep this up and you'll be sleeping on the sofa," Lavender teased. Her comments, though, weren't met with laughter, but with silence. Lavender regretted saying this because she had a feeling that Uncle Robert coped with the fact that his daughter was living with Harry by not thinking that anything sexual occurred between them.

"Right," Robert finally replied. "Who's ready for dessert?"

"I certainly am," Elinore replied. "I'll help you with these dishes."

Hermione, Harry and Lavender breathed a silent sigh of relief as Hermione shot her cousin a dirty look.

"I'm sorry!" Lavender said softly when her aunt and uncle were out of earshot. "It just slipped out!"

"It's all right," Hermione said grudgingly. "It's just best to call as little attention as possible to things like that."

"I'll try to remember that," Lavender said. "I guess we're on a 'don't ask, don't tell' kind of thing, huh?"

"In a sense of speaking," Harry said as Hermione got up with the remainder of the dishes. “Merlin I really screwed that up didn’t I?”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it,” Harry replied. “Honestly- your uncle and I are getting closer every time I miss one of those bloody golf balls.”

Lavender laughed. “I guess you’re right.”

Harry grinned at her. “I heard things with you and Seamus are going quite well.”

“That they are,” Lavender blushed. “He’s so sweet… so unlike all the guys I ever thought I’d fallen for before this.”

“You have a lot more in common with Cho than I thought in those regards,” Harry replied. “I mean aside from the Malfoy thing… now she’s got Neville and she says the same things about him that you do about Seamus.”

“Well… I guess she and I have both met our Mr. Wonderful, just like Hermione has with you.” Lavender laughed.

“Mr. Wonderful?” Harry repeated. “Where on earth did she get a nickname like that?”

“I call you that whenever we talk about you men,” Lavender teased. “She hates it.”

“She doesn’t think I’m wonderful?” Harry replied sitting back up straight as Robert, Elinore and Hermione came back in the room.

"I hope you like pumpkin pie," Elinore said as she set the pie down on the table. "It's from the bakery down the street."

"Love it," Harry replied. "It's my favourite dessert."

"It's Hermione's favourite as well," Elinore said, as she cut into the pie.

Harry smiled at his girlfriend, who slid in beside him this time. “So I heard you don’t like calling me Mr. Wonderful,” he teased.

“Lavender!” Hermione frowned first at him then at her cousin. “Why did you tell him about that stupid nickname you made up? Now I’ll never hear the end of it!”

Harry grinned. “So are you telling me you don’t think I’m wonderful?” he asked.

“He’s got you in a hole there Hermione,” Robert said and everyone laughed as they dug into the pie.

"I've nearly finished with Cho's dress robes," Lavender said. "I just have a few last minute adjustments to make, but it's really coming along quite nicely. I do hope she likes it."

"I'm sure she will," Hermione took a forkful of pie. "I just wish you'd let the rest of us peek at them!" she grinned. "And if they look anything like the robes you made for me... they'll be gorgeous."

Lavender smiled. "Thanks. And no sneak peeks, Hermione. You'll see when everyone else gets to see and not a moment sooner."

"How is Cho doing?" Robert asked Harry. "I've been meaning to check on her. She's taking care of herself isn't she? Getting plenty of rest?"

"Oh yes," Harry nodded. "She works at Madam Malkin’s- sitting on a stool of course, and then she comes back and sits on the sofa while they all help her out on her wedding plans."

"Please give her our best next time you see her," Elinore said. "Perhaps we could send a plate of food home with you for her?"

"She'd probably love that Mum," Hermione replied.

After everyone finished dessert, Elinore suggested everyone going into the sitting room, but Hermione politely declined.

"We should probably get home to check on Cho," Hermione said. "But thanks so much for the great dinner."

"Yes, thank you so much," Harry shook hands with Robert and kissed Elinore on the cheek. "And I can already tell you that Cho thanks you," he held up the covered plate which held a generous portion from their dinner. "Lav, see you soon?"

"Yeah," Lavender said, giving him a smile. “We’ll have to try double dating sometime soon- Seamus would love that.”

They left, Harry's arm around her shoulders to help ward off the cool night air. "Your family is great," Harry smiled.

Hermione relaxed against him. "I wish I could have met your parents and your godfather. I wonder if they would have liked me...thought I was good enough for you."

"They would have," Harry said firmly. "From what I know of my mother... she reminds me of you," he said.

"Really?" Hermione asked pleased. "What--was she a brainy know-it-all bookworm, too?"

"Maybe not so vocal about her know it all status," Harry grinned. "But she was very beautiful and nice to everyone."

She grinned. He hadn't shared much about them with her, but she liked the way his voice sounded and the look that came over his face when he talked about his family...his real family. "They'd be real proud of you, Harry," Hermione said softly. "They'd be proud of the man you've become."

"Thanks," he stopped to give her a kiss. "I think they'd be more proud of me for getting myself such a great girl, especially after being such a prat."

Hermione giggled. "Well, I guess Lavender was wrong then. You definitely won't be sleeping on the sofa tonight."

"Like you could go one night without me," Harry replied as they crossed through The Leaky Cauldron.

"And you could without me?" she asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"I never said that," Harry replied.

"Just checking," Hermione said. “You’re so cute when you’re indignant.”

"You're just cute all the time," Harry wrapped his arm around her waist as they walked out of Diagon Alley towards their cottage.

"That's nice of you to say even though I know you're lying," she teased. "You have seen me in the mornings, haven't you? Not a pretty sight."

"That's not true," Harry said, unlocking the door and holding it open for her. "I've always thought you were gorgeous at all times." he spoke truthfully. He loved seeing Hermione all sleepy, bleary eyed, hair tangled, her pyjamas twisted (when she wore them at least).

Hermione gave him a lingering kiss before walking inside. Cho, who had been in the kitchen getting herself something to drink, witnessed their kiss and couldn't help shaking her head.

"Don't you two ever stop?" she asked with a laugh. "Or at the very least come up for air?"

"Shut it or we won't give you the dinner we brought back for you," Harry said. Hermione jabbed him in the chest.

Cho glared at him. "Your parents didn't have to send me a plate, but I sure am glad they did! What did you bring me?"

"Vegetable casserole," Hermione said, as she took her cloak off. "And Harry didn't want me to tell you this, because he really wanted it all to himself, but we brought you back some pumpkin pie, too."

"Which of course if you don't want we'll be happy to take it off your hands." Harry replied.

"You even try and you'll wish you hadn't," Cho said quickly.

Harry laughed at her. "Want me to warm it up for you?"

"Yes, please," Cho said gratefully. "I'm glad you guys came home when you did. I was about to make myself another peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

Harry grinned as he set to getting Cho's food ready for her and Hermione got some pumpkin juice for all three of them. "What's new with the wedding plans?"

"You'd never know this was a small wedding what with all the planning that's going into it," Cho answered. "And your sneaky cousin still won't let me see my robes!"

"I think she's waiting until she has them sewn," Hermione replied. "Then she'll probably only let you see them so she can make sure they fit."

"She's really been great," Cho said smiling. "She volunteered to do my hair and makeup the day of the ceremony, too."

Harry brought Cho her plate and sat next to Hermione as his friend dug eagerly into her meal. "Neville's really excited about the wedding day," he said.

"Is he?" Cho asked modestly. Although she knew he was, she still liked hearing it.

"Yes," Harry reached for Hermione's hand. "We're all excited Cho. It's still kind of hard for me to believe the two of you are going to be married in a month... well... almost less than a month really since you're planning the ceremony for a few weeks before Christmas."

"It's hard for me to believe, too," Cho said. "I keep waiting for someone to wake me up and tell me it's all been a dream."

Hermione smiled at her. "That's nonsense Cho. You were bound to run into good luck and you did."

"Well, I certainly hit the jackpot with Neville," Cho said grinning.

"Hmm..." Hermione grinned. "I beg to differ." she looked at Harry.

"What?" Harry asked smugly.

Hermione leaned over and Cho rolled her eyes as she whispered something in his ear. "You know... Neville calls you two the rabbits and I can see why the name is going to stick."

"You're just jealous," Harry said, sticking his tongue out at Cho.

"Real mature," Cho said, laughing. "Real mature."

"I think I'm going to bed," Hermione stretched. "You coming?" she asked Harry.

"Sounds like a good idea," Harry said faking a yawn. "I am actually quite knackered."

Cho snorted. "Knackered my arse. Have fun rabbits." she waved them off as Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and they left the kitchen in a hurry.

*** *** ***

Luna had never felt less like going on a date. Michael was good company and he had been very attentive all week… but something was missing.

“Something redheaded, goofy and sweet,” she sighed. “Too bad he’s a giant prat as well.”

They were going to dinner then playing the rest of the evening by ear. She was wearing light blue robes that set off her eyes and hair, and was currently half heartedly applying a bit of makeup.

Ron stood in the corridor just outside Luna's flat. He knew this was behaviour bordering on stalkerish, but he couldn't help it. He'd been at Harry and Hermione's the other night when he'd innocently overheard Hermione and Cho talking about Luna's date that Saturday evening.

But he had to know. He had to know what this bloke had that he didn't. Sheepishly, he'd asked Harry if he could borrow the Invisibility Cloak.

Harry had told him it was a bad idea and that it was just a disaster waiting to happen. But, Ron didn't want to listen and Harry grew tired of hearing his friend whine. So, he'd relented.

Ron paced just outside the door with the cloak over him. He soon heard footsteps on the stairwell and stood back from Luna's door. There he was… Ron didn't think he was all that handsome. Luna could certainly do better. And he hadn't even brought her any flowers.

Ron resisted the urge to stick his foot out to trip the guy. He watched glumly as the bloke knocked on the door.

Luna, still nervous, stumbled down the stairs. "Hello Michael," she said. "Sorry it took me so long to get down here."

"No problem at all," Michael lifted her hand and kissed the back. "You have no idea how glad I am you finally agreed to go out with me."

"Yes... well..." Luna brushed back a strand of hair. "I was in another relationship at the time but that's over now so..." she smiled at him.

"He was a fool to let you go," Michael said grinning at her. Ron couldn't believe the nerve of this guy. He hoped Luna wasn't buying any of this.

"Aye, he is." Luna replied. "Where are we going to dinner?"

Michael smiled. "Well, I hope you don't mind, but I talked to your dad and he told me that you loved Indian food, so I was thinking of taking you to a place near my flat that I thought you might like."

Ron's mouth fell open. This guy sure was smooth. Near his flat, hah! Surely, Luna would see what he was really after.

"That sounds just lovely," Luna took his proffered arm and they walked away, Ron trailing unnoticed behind them.

"So tell me more about what you do outside work," Luna said as they sat down in the restaurant together.

"I really like astronomy," Michael admitted. "If I hadn't decided to become a photographer, I would have loved to have done something with that."

"Astronomy?" Luna smiled as Ron rolled his eyes repeatedly.

"Yeah," Michael said nodding. "I haven't ruined your opinion of me, have I? You don't think I'm incredibly nerdy now, do you?"

"Oh goodness no," Luna replied. "I've always loved astronomy." she laughed and sat back. "You're probably going to think I'm silly but I've always loved watching the moon."

"Not at all," Michael said smiling across his menu at her. "I mean with a name like Luna, it'd be unnatural if you didn't like the moon."

Ron couldn't help the words "Give me a break!" from escaping his lips.

Luna swivelled in her chair momentarily, scanning the room but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. Ron backed away carefully, realising those words had come out louder than he thought.

"Sorry I just... thought I heard something." she said.

"Did your friend check with that photographer I recommended for her wedding?" Michael asked. "I would have loved to have done it myself, but your dad has me going to Bulgaria on assignment that week."

"Yes she did," Luna smiled. "Thank you so much for helping us out there. There's so much to do within the next few months. I told you I'm standing up for Cho didn't I?"

"You did," Michael said, before taking a sip of wine. "Hardly seems fair though. You're going to show up the bride with how beautiful you'll look."

Ron clenched his fists as Luna laughed. "That's very sweet of you to say," she smiled.

"And I heard a little rumour about you," Michael said grinning slyly at her. "That you, Miss Lovegood, are quite the dancer. Your dad says you're quite good."

When he mentioned dancing, Michael could see the smile on Luna's face falter a bit.

"Have I touched a nerve?" he asked softly.

"Oh..." she took a bite of her curry chicken. "No... well... I worked at a resort the past few years as a dance instructor... my um... ex is also a dancer there..." Luna sighed. "It's just that our break-up is sort of recent so anytime I hear the word dance I think of him."

"I don't mean to pry, but was the break-up mutual?" Michael asked. "If you don't want to talk about it, I'll understand."

Ron leaned forward. He, too, wanted to hear what Luna had to say.

"It was I guess," Luna bit on her lower lip; she hadn't counted on thinking about Ron making her feel so upset. "It just wasn't working out- I think he was keeping secrets from me and... I guess I just felt like he never wanted to be around me, like he would come and we would have dinner or work on things together but it was only out of obligation."

Ron had no idea she'd felt like this. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Everything he'd done---the long hours, the secrecy---it had all been so he could get them a place together. He'd wanted it to be a surprise. He'd gone about it with the best intentions, but she hadn't seen it that way. Not that he could blame her.

"Well, it's official," Michael said, hoping to brighten her mood. "Your boyfriend is an idiot. Spending time with you would never be an obligation, Luna."

Ron let out a snarl and this time both Luna and Michael looked straight where he stood in the invisibility cloak.

"Well... I appreciate that," Luna said, blushing a little.

"But, let's not dwell on that, right?" Michael said, reaching across the table and taking her hand. "We came here to have a nice time, right?"

"Yes we did," Luna smiled, squeezing his fingers before they pulled apart and ate some more. Ron felt like he'd been smacked in the face as their conversation took a lighter turn and both Michael and Luna were in hysterics. He barely noticed when they finished their meal and got up to leave.

Michael helped Luna with her cloak. "I was thinking we could go to the planetarium, but they closed ages ago. Would you fancy going to the cinema?" he asked hopefully.

"Sure," Luna replied. "There's bound to be something good playing there."

Ron heard them and thought only momentarily about following them. He didn't think his heart could take anymore. So, when Michael and Luna walked out of the restaurant, he walked in the opposite direction. Even still, he couldn't stop himself from turning around for one last look. His heart broke again as he saw Michael take Luna's hand in his.

His heart sank further as she laughed about something and then he watched Michael lean in and kiss her. Ron grew angry and was about to go over there but to his horror saw Luna's hand go up; he thought she was about to push him away but instead she rested her hand on his shoulder.

"Is it okay that I kissed you?" Michael asked softly.

"Yes," Luna replied. Thoughts of Ron jumped into her head- he kissed her much the same way- sweetly, shyly… she had to push him from her head again. “Quite okay,” she smiled.

When Michael and Luna turned the corner, Ron slowly pulled the Invisibility Cloak off. Harry had been right. This had been a stupid, bloody idea.

15. Chapter 15

A/N: Thanks again you all, for a fantastic round of reviews. Your feedback is truly amazing and we appreciate all your comments ;)

Amy responded to reviews earlier today so make sure you check that out, and just so everyone knows, updates will now take place on Tuesdays and Saturdays!

Enjoy!!

Lavender never liked getting up early. The only reason she would have in the past would have been to catch a sale at one of the shops, but over the past couple of weeks, something had changed in her. She wanted Cho's robes to be perfect and everyday for the past week, she'd arrived at the shop at seven in the morning. She locked herself in the backroom and worked until she was needed to help out front.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. Thinking it was Cho, Lavender called out. "For the last time, Cho, you can't see them yet!"

Seamus laughed as he opened the door. "I could be Cho," he teased. "Except I'm missing two rather feminine parts of the anatomy."

"Close the door! Close the door!" Lavender said quickly. "If you don't, she'll see!"

Seamus quickly did as he was told. "Why don't you want Cho to see?"

"Because they’re not ready yet," Lavender answered simply. "And I'm not too crazy about you seeing it either! Seamus Finnigan, cover your eyes!"

Seamus again did as he was told. Truth be, he hadn't really looked at the robes- his eyes had landed immediately on his girlfriend and as always he found it difficult to look elsewhere. "Can I open them now?"

"No!" she said quickly. She knew she was being a little irrational, but she couldn't help it. This wasn't just any old design. A lot was riding on this and she wanted everything to be perfect. "Okay, you can open your eyes, but you have to turn around and keep your back to me. And don't laugh! I'm serious!"

Seamus pressed his lips together as he turned around. "Lavender what's the big deal? I didn't even see your robes all right? I only looked at you."

"How do I know that Cho didn't send you in here?" Lavender asked, though she couldn't help smiling at what he'd said. "For all I know, she offered you a bribe if you'd come in here and sweet talk me so she could get an idea about what her robes look like."

"Like I would cross you?" Seamus still stood with his back to her. "Besides, I don't really need to sweet talk you do I?"

"No," Lavender admitted. "I know you think I'm acting crazy, but this is important to me, Seamus. And I don't want to let anyone down, least of all Cho. You're the same way. You said you wouldn't let me see your film until after it was finished. It's the same kind of thing."

"True," Seamus replied. "Now can I turn around?"

"No," Lavender said firmly. "What are you doing here anyway? I thought you were filming most of the morning."

"We got delayed until this afternoon. Don't ask why..." Seamus shook his head. "So I thought I'd come by and see if I could sneak you away for a late breakfast."

"That's really sweet of you," she said sincerely. "But I can't possibly get away."

"Well... I had figured that much so I brought breakfast to you," Seamus replied. "But we won't be able to eat it because I'm bloody turned around looking at the wall!"

Lavender grinned. She was hungry and he did have a point, but she wasn't about to let him know it...yet. "Well, it depends," she said coyly. "What did you bring me?"

"That's for me to know and you about to find out as soon as I get to turn back around," Seamus replied.

"Okay," she finally relented. "But you have to promise me that you will not breathe a word to Cho or anyone else what this looks like. If you do, I will never give you another kiss in my life. And I don't even have to see your face to know that you're trying hard not to laugh, but I assure you, I am dead serious. Do we have a deal?"

"Quite a deal," Seamus replied. "Now?"

"Okay," Lavender said, not wanting to see his face when he turned around to see the robes. He would probably tell her they were dreadful and she should give up and try something else. She closed her eyes. "What do you think? Be brutally honest!"

Seamus didn't spare the robes a glance as he walked up to his girlfriend and kissed her fully on the mouth. She let out a surprised squeal as his arms went around her waist as her lips parted underneath his.

"W-what was that for?" Lavender asked breathlessly, a little dazed from what he'd just done.

"Good morning," Seamus grinned.

"Good morning," she echoed.

"I have scones and jam along with some tea," Seamus replied. "Only of course if you're hungry..."

"Bloody starving," Lavender replied. "You better watch it; you're going to spoil me by doing stuff like this."

“Can't think of anyone I'd rather spoil more," Seamus kissed her again quickly.

Lavender cleared a space on the table and she and Seamus sat down on the sofa and dug into their food. "So...filming isn't going too well?"

"It's all right," Seamus replied. "Believe it or not a fire broke out on set last night. No one was hurt but the set decorators are making their repairs so we're filming at one."

"You didn't raise too much of a fuss, did you?" Lavender asked. "I swear half your crew is probably scared to death of you."

"And for good reason," Seamus replied. "I run a tight ship, which is why I'll make a good director someday."

"You shouldn't be a tyrant, though," Lavender said thoughtfully. "Says the girl who threatened never to kiss you again if you told anyone about the robes. Like I have any room to talk."

Seamus grinned. "That's what I love about you," he replied. "Or one of the things, rather."

"What's that?" she asked with a giggle. "That I'm a tyrant, too? Birds of a feather, stick together, right?"

"Right," Seamus smiled.

Lavender nibbled on her scone and looked at Seamus nervously. "You, um, you haven't said anything about the robes...is it because you don't like them?"

"I haven't looked at them," Seamus said honestly. "You don't want anyone to see them right?"

"Now that you're here," she said quietly. "I'd appreciate it if you told me what you thought."

Seamus turned and looked at Cho's wedding robes for the first time. All that was missing was a sleeve at this point- they was long and ivory in colour, with bell sleeves. "And this is supposed to fit her with her pregnancy?" he asked.

"Well, yeah," Lavender said quickly. "I've designed it in such a way that it'll be really slimming on her. Some people might not even be able to tell she's pregnant...if everything goes according to plan."

She bit her bottom lip nervously and looked at him. His silence was nerve-wracking. "Well...?"

"That's amazing," Seamus replied. "You can actually do that?"

"You'd be amazed at what you can do with a little bit of fabric," Lavender said proudly.

"Well I think they're fantastic," Seamus hugged her. "I think Cho's absolutely going to love them."

"Really?" she asked happily. "You really, really think so? You're not just saying that because we're dating and you're afraid to hurt my feelings?"

"You'd be able to tell if I was lying," Seamus grinned.

"You're probably right," Lavender said laughing. "I should say I know you pretty well by now."

Seamus kissed her. "I should say you do know me pretty damn well," he stroked her cheek.

"As much as I'd love to stay here with you all day, I really should get back to work," Lavender said softly. Despite her words, she made no movement to get up from the sofa. The way he was looking at her made her feel...special. She felt as if she could do anything when she was with him and he wouldn't think her silly or stupid. It was a nice feeling. It was a feeling she wanted to last.

"Okay," Seamus leaned in and kissed her again, letting his mouth linger on hers. He leaned his forehead on hers as he ran his fingers through her hair. "I love you," he said.

She smiled. She always felt weak in the knees when he said that. "I love you," she whispered back. "Will you be, um, at the set all evening?"

"Only until seven, if all goes well..." he sighed. "I hope I won't be back too late."

"I was thinking of going by Harry and Hermione's when I'm finished here," Lavender said. "If you get out early, why don't you stop by?"

"You don't think they'll mind?" Seamus asked, still stroking her hair.

"Why would they mind?" Lavender asked. "We all end up over there all the time anyway."

"True," Seamus replied. "If I don't manage to come by let's get together for lunch tomorrow?"

"Sounds like an idea," Lavender said walking him over to the door. She slowly opened it and wasn't at all surprised to see Cho standing by the door trying to look casual. Lavender quickly ushered Seamus out closed the door quickly behind her successfully blocking Cho's view.

"Cho..." Lavender said scathingly. "How many times have I told you that you can't see them yet? Is it ever going to sink in?"

Cho ignored her. "Did you see them Seamus?"

Seamus shook his head. "See what?"

"Good boy," Lavender said, patting him on top of the head.

Cho glared at her. "You know, they're my bloody robes... I should at least be able to make sure they fit me before the wedding day!"

"I'm not going to make you wait that long," Lavender promised. "Did anyone ever tell you that you are impatient?"

"Yes," Cho replied.

"Well they knew what they were talking about," Lavender said smugly. "And don't even think you're going to get any information out of Seamus. I told him I'd never snog him again if he so much as breathed a word about them to you or anyone else."

"Fine," Cho sighed. "But you're almost finished at least, right?"

"Nearly," Lavender replied. "When they're completely finished, I'll let you try them on. And only then will you see them. If all goes according to plan, I should be finished in a couple of days."

Cho was all smiles as Lavender said that. "I can't wait!" she squealed. "Plus this weekend we'll be moving into our new flat- did Neville tell you about it?"

"That's really great, Cho!" Lavender said, beaming at her friend. She couldn't resist hitting Seamus on the arm. "Did you know about this?"

"I haven't seen Neville- he came home late last night and was still asleep when I left this morning," Seamus replied.

"Are you sure you want to leave the rabbit hole?" Lavender asked Cho. She couldn't help laughing. It was a running joke between all of them about Harry and Hermione's inability to keep their hands off of each other.

"I'm more than ready," Cho replied. "Lately they've been all over each other more than ever. I don't know if it has to do with this whole Gordon situation but Harry's always kissing her- not that she puts up much of a fight- and then they'll disappear for an hour or so." Cho shook her head. "Thank Merlin for silencing charms."

"Don't tell me he's jealous over Gordon Devereaux?" Lavender asked, shaking her head.

"I wouldn't say he's jealous over Gordon... he just doesn't trust the bloke. Not that I can blame him- he's obviously burning a torch for Hermione, who in turn is completely oblivious." Cho replied.

"She was back at school, too," Lavender said. "But that's just Hermione. She's always been really focused on school and books and things like that. She never thought that any bloke would ever pay her any mind and she didn't care much either way. Well, until Harry came along..."

"He's got quite a charm about him," Cho grinned. "The girls have always flocked to him... I'm just glad he wound up with Hermione rather than someone like Isabella."

"I take it you didn't care too much for Isabella then?" Lavender asked curiously.

Cho looked at Seamus who made a face. "Lav... you keep up with fashion. You know what a horrid bitch she is."

"Yeah, but knowing Harry as I do, I can't see what he saw in her other than her looks," Lavender said distastefully. She'd certainly read loads of magazines that described in detail about Isabella's diva behaviour.

Cho bit her lower lip a moment. "Let's just say..." she paused a moment thoughtfully. "She puts on a different face for Harry than she does for the rest of the world. And since we know he never reads Witch Weekly or anything like that he doesn't know how she really is."

"What led to them breaking up?" Lavender asked. She knew this was probably none of her business, but she'd been dying to know and she very well couldn't ask Hermione.

"Isabella left," Seamus replied. "We were all headed back to Hogwarts and she told Harry it was better if they ended things when they did, but they could pick back up where they left off... well then next holiday you and Hermione were at Hillsdale and she never came..." he shrugged.

"You don't think he still has feelings for her?" Lavender asked. "They never really broke things off...they never really got closure."

"Hermione was all the closure Harry needed." Cho replied. "Trust me on this- I've known him for years. I've never seen him like this over a girl, not ever."

"He'd better be," Lavender said seriously. "If he hurts her..."

"He wouldn't," Cho replied, Seamus nodding along.

"I've really got to get going now," Seamus said after a moment. "Got to guard the set so nothing else happens. I'll be so glad when this shoot is over."

"Be nice," Lavender teased.

Cho walked back to the front of the store as Seamus hungrily kissed his girlfriend goodbye. "That's in case I don't see you later."

"I hope you do," Lavender said happily.

"I'll try, I promise." Seamus kissed her again and she took his hand as they walked out front.

"I am really glad you came by," she said smiling at him. "Thanks for the breakfast."

"Anytime," Seamus pecked her chastely on the lips.

"Hey Seamus?" she asked him as he started to walk away. He turned around and looked expectantly at her. "I love you," she said, beaming at him.

He grinned. "Love you too," he came back and kissed her cheek, his smile growing as he walked out the door.

Cho sighed as Lavender turned back around. "Could you two be any cuter?" she asked.

Lavender blushed. "We could try, but you'd probably get a toothache." Not wanting to get back to her sewing just yet, she decided to help Cho with some folding. "So have you heard from Luna since the big date?" she asked conversationally.

"She sent me an owl," Cho replied. "Apparently she had a really nice time."

"Good for her," Lavender said nodding. "She deserves it after how Ron treated her."

Cho shook her head. "Neither one of them will really open up about the other. Ron says he wasn't treating her badly and Luna says he was. Ron says he was only trying to keep it a secret that he was saving up for a place for them and--" she stopped short. "Blast..." she put her face in her hands. "People should really stop telling me these things!"

"He was saving up to get a place for the two of them?" Lavender asked in disbelief. "Well, why didn't he bloody tell her that in the first place?"

"He wanted it to be a surprise," Cho replied. "He told us he felt like he hadn't really done anything special for her and he wanted this to be it."

"Seamus told me that Ron's heart is always in the right place," Lavender said with a laugh. "But that his mouth usually screws everything up. I guess he was right."

"That's always been the case," Cho pushed a stack of neatly folded robes to her co-worker.

"Do you think they might work things out?" Lavender asked thoughtfully.

"I hope they do," Cho replied. "Despite what both of them are saying at the moment I know they're still in love with each other. I told him he should just up and tell her that he wants them to live together but he won't do it." she leaned in closer. "Apparently he actually followed Luna and this other guy Michael on their date."

Lavender's mouth dropped. "You're kidding me!"

"I wish I was," Cho said. "He borrowed Harry's invisibility cloak and was in the restaurant as they ate, and then when he followed them out Michael kissed Luna- and she kissed him back. He went straight to the pub after that; Harry and Neville had to literally carry him back to the Burrow."

"That's terrible," Lavender lamented. She didn't know Ron very well, but she knew that anyone would be heartbroken to see someone they cared about moving on. Her heart went out to him and Luna both. She was glad that she had Seamus and she hoped something like that never happened to them.

"Well... I really do hope he gets his head out of his arse and works things out with Luna. And I hope she realises that she should be with Ron." Cho replied.

"Me, too," Lavender said as she stacked the last pile of robes on a table. She decided to get in some work on Cho's dress robes before lunch and headed in that direction. Before opening up the door, she turned around and looked curiously at her friend. "I do know something you don't know..."

"What?" Cho would have pounced on her if she could.

"What your robes look like!" Lavender said with a smug smile before opening the door, walking inside and closing it firmly behind her.

*** *** ***

"Remind me again why we thought this would be FUN to do the Muggle way, considering I just did this a few months ago with my own place?" Harry asked crossly as he carried in the edge of a sofa.

"I don't know," Neville replied just as crossly. Both men were tired as could be from the rigorous training that week and now were contending with the big move. Cho was currently sitting on the other sofa they had already brought in and Hermione was up in the bedroom hanging things up.

"Oh!" Cho asked, looking up as Harry and Neville were about to set the sofa down against the wall. "Don't put that there!"

"Where do you want this one?" Harry snapped.

"Against the other wall," Cho said simply. She saw the look on his face and had a feeling that he had another idea of where he'd like to put it. "If you don't mind," she quickly added.

Harry sighed as he and Neville hoisted the sofa and set it where Cho wanted it. "I'm through," Neville collapsed next to his fiancée while Harry sprawled out on the other sofa.

"You can't stop now!" Cho exclaimed. "Neville! You can't leave half of our furniture outside. Anyone could come by and steal it!"

Harry and Neville, grumbling, got back up and within moments Cho was astonished to see their brand new furniture floating in by itself. "There," Harry said a few minutes later. "It's all in. Neville and I have done enough this week Cho... training was a complete bitch."

"I guess it wasn't the best time to move in, was it?" Cho asked sheepishly. She felt guilty not only because they had to do this when they obviously didn't want to and because she herself hadn't been much help.

"It's not that we didn't WANT to do this love," Neville said in a softer tone. "It's just that... you thought it was fun the way we did it at Harry and Hermione's... and it was fine... but--"

"We can't do this anymore without magic," Harry finished as Hermione came into the room.

“You can’t do what without magic?” Hermione asked, sitting on Harry’s lap.

“Move,” Harry groaned.

“Sorry,” Hermione asked, quickly moving off of him. “You sure are a grouch today!”

Harry didn’t even make the effort to glare at her as he flopped onto his back. “You two do what we had to do this week and see how good you feel afterwards.”

“I’m sure if you asked, Megan would give you a massage,” Cho teased. Hermione giggled.

“That’s so funny I forgot to laugh,” Harry snapped.

“Actually I think Megan’s moving on,” Neville smiled.

“She has?” Hermione asked.

“It seems so,” Neville replied. “One of the other guys in our program has caught her fancy; she’s been following him around like she used to Harry.”

“You alright with that, Harry?” Hermione asked, patting him on the arm. “How will you ever go on?”

“I’m sure I’ll find a way to get over it,” Harry said dryly.

Hermione got up and walked around the sofa and began to massage his shoulders. “I know I’m no Megan, but...”

Harry let out a groan that was possibly heard in Japan. “Merlin that feels good...” he leaned his head back.

Hermione grinned as she kneaded her hands over his shoulders. “I do expect to be repaid for this at some point.”

Neville rolled his eyes. “Please don’t make this your hole as well, rabbits.”

Hermione’s mouth fell open. “You act like Harry and I can’t go five minutes without groping each other.”

Harry decided to take that moment and reach back and pull her around for a rather heated kiss.

“Your point is?” Neville asked, sharing a glance with his fiancée.

“W-what?” Hermione asked dazed.

“Maybe we should get home,” Harry said.

“No you don’t,” Cho said warningly. “We haven’t even finished here yet.”

“We can finish things up tomorrow,” Harry said, barely registering the fact that they were in someone else’s home as he pushed Hermione’s hair behind her ear.

“I don’t believe you!” Cho said, shaking her head. “Not five minutes ago you were talking about being too tired to move a sofa and now you’re...well, you’re wanting to take Hermione home to do...well, whatever it is the two of you do when you’re....you know...”

Harry shook his head. “We all know it Cho. I’m never too tired for sex.” Hermione swatted his arm.

“But Hermione sure is,” Cho couldn’t stop herself from saying. Hermione looked at her. She had told Cho that in confidence.

“Cho!” Hermione hissed.

It had been one night a couple of weeks ago when she’d been studying nearly all night for a test. She’d crept back into the bedroom late and Harry woke up when he heard her get into bed. He’d obviously been in the mood, but Hermione was knackered. Half way into it, she’d fallen asleep.

“What does that mean?” Harry asked.

“Nothing,” Cho said quickly, trying to cover.

“Maybe we should get back to unpacking,” Hermione suggested.

“Hey,” Neville reclined on the sofa. “Harry and I told you, we’re finished.”

Hermione shifted uncomfortably behind Harry. “Um, I still have some stuff to finish up in the bedroom,” she said softly.

“Go ahead,” Harry replied. “Neville and I will camp out here until you’re finished.”

“Okay,” she said. She couldn’t resist glaring at Cho as she walked out of the room.

Harry gazed at her. “I don’t know what the hell you were talking about and I don’t want to know.”

Cho breathed a sigh of relief. “Just me and my big mouth.”

“Like that’s anything new,” Harry snorted, covering his eyes while Neville put his arm around her.

“Don’t listen to anything he says. He’s been crabbing all day about one thing or another.”

“I know,” she whispered back. “I’m used to his mood swings by now. I just hope Hermione’s not too pissed with me.”

“Why would she be?” Neville asked, kissing the side of her neck.

“You guys really are clueless,” she said giggling. “Almost as clueless as Megan.”

“Say that name again...” Harry threatened.

“Megan, Megan, Megan,” Cho said haughtily.

Harry sat up and glared at her. “If you weren’t pregnant...”

Neville sat up straight. “Enough!”

“Don’t look at me!” Cho said defensively. “He started it coming in here all grouchy and grumpy. I’d rather he’d stayed home than come in here acting like he has!”

“Then fine, I’ll go home!” Harry snapped, getting off the sofa. “Hermione!” he barked down the small hallway.

“She’s not a dog for Merlin’s sake!” Cho couldn’t help retorting. “Just because you call doesn’t mean she has to come running!”

“Stay out of this!” Harry replied shortly.

Hermione came into the room. “What are you two on about? I could hear you shouting from the bedroom.”

“Cho doesn’t want us here,” Harry grabbed her arm. “So we’re leaving.”

“Harry, if this is about earlier, I didn’t mean to tell Cho,” she said, trying to get him to loosen his grip on her arm. “I just felt bad about it so I had to talk to someone...”

“Talk about what?” Harry stared at her as if she’d grown another head.

“About me falling asleep the other night when we...” she said lowering her voice.

“You fell asleep?” Harry nearly shouted.

“I was tired,” she said. “I’d been up studying and you...”

“I don’t believe this,” Harry spun around and stalked to the front door. He grabbed his cloak and was outside, slamming the door behind him.

“What the hell just happened here?” Neville asked. “I’m just as bloody tired as he is yet you don’t see me doing the dramatics.” He looked at his fiancée who was standing with her arms crossed, fuming.

“I need to go after him,” Hermione said searching around for her bag and cloak.

“What? Hermione- he’s being a complete arse tonight.” Neville argued. “Stay here with us and teach him a lesson.”

“I probably should let him cool down,” Hermione admitted. She dropped her bag on the floor and sank back onto the sofa.

“What is he so upset about?” Neville asked, not having heard the argument.

“Neville, if I tell you this will you promise not to tease Harry about it,” Hermione said, knowing that if she didn’t tell him now, Cho would.

“I don’t know if I can promise that.” Neville replied.

Hermione sighed. “Well, at least try not to, for me, okay?” When Neville finally nodded, she related the story for him, leaving out any gory details. She could tell he was trying hard not to laugh. “I thought he knew I’d fallen asleep,” Hermione said putting her head in her hands.

“I’m sure he’s not that angry,” Neville bit his lower lip as Cho gave him a warning glance.

“Did you not just see him storming out of here?” Hermione asked sarcastically. “He looked pretty angry to me!”

“Hermione,” Cho said. “He’s just having a bad night. I’ve seen him in worse moods than this. When you go home, just act like you normally would and everything will be just fine.”

“You think?” Hermione asked hopefully.

“I know,” Cho replied and Neville nodded.

“She’s right- when we were at Hogwarts he’d be like this sometimes and we just have to act like nothing’s out of the ordinary. For the most part he does as well and it all just blows over.”

Hermione nodded and looked at her two friends. “I’m sorry, you guys. This was supposed to be a happy day for you two.”

“It has been,” Neville replied firmly. “Without a doubt you and I will be back here in the morning raring to go.” He smiled at her.

“I hope so,” Hermione said with a laugh. “He’s probably more upset about Megan than he’s letting on, huh?”

Cho and Neville laughed as she pulled on her cloak. “We’ll see you AND Harry tomorrow Hermione.” He said, giving her a hug. “Thanks for everything you did today.”

“Oh, you mean ruin your first day in your new home by having a row with my boyfriend?” Hermione asked. “You’re quite welcome. We must do this again sometime.”

“Can’t wait,” Cho replied as they saw Hermione out.

Hermione gave Cho a hug. “I’ll see you all tomorrow morning. I’ll even bring breakfast to make up for today.”

“Deal,” Cho replied. “See you tomorrow.”

Harry stomped down the streets, already regretting leaving Neville and Cho’s place in such a huff. He felt even worse that he’d thrown a silly fit on their first day in their new home, and he felt worst of all that he’d left without Hermione.

He didn’t think anything could top off his bad mood yet when he turned the corner and saw Gordon Devereaux sitting on his front steps, his mood was the most unpleasant it had been all evening.

“What the hell do you want?” Harry snarled without prelude.

Gordon got to his feet and held the book in his hands for Harry to see. “I wanted to return a book to Hermione,” Gordon said simply.

“I’ll give it to her,” Harry snatched it away. “Good night.”

Gordon watched as Harry struggled with his keys. “She’s not with you then?”

“She’s helping someone out,” Harry snapped.

“Will she be home soon?” Gordon asked. He had a feeling there was trouble in paradise. Trying hard to keep the gleeful sound out of his voice, he decided to push a few more of Harry Potter’s buttons. “I wanted to talk to her about an assignment we have. It’s really important that I see her.”

“You’ll have to wait for Monday.” Harry said his voice short and tight.

“Is something wrong, Harry?” Gordon asked. “You seem a bit...upset?”

“Nothing that concerns you,” Harry finally jerked the door open. “Good night,” he slammed it in the other man’s face.

A wide smile broke across Gordon’s face as he stared at the door. “Temper, temper,” he said shaking his head. Things were definitely looking up. He knew it was only a matter of time before their “perfect” relationship fell apart. Everything was falling into place for him now. Hermione would soon be his for the taking and Potter would soon just be a bad memory.

Hermione hurried up the street towards the cottage when she saw a familiar figure walking away. “Gordon!” she called out. “What are you doing here?”

“Hermione,” Gordon smiled as he saw her. “I thought I had missed you.”

“We were at Cho and Neville’s helping them move into their new place,” Hermione brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. “What are you doing here?” she asked again.

“Oh I dropped off a book I’d borrowed from you in case you wanted to use it tomorrow,” Gordon replied. “I gave it to Harry…” he looked at her, filling his eyes with false concern. “Is everything all right between the two of you?”

“Oh…” Hermione shook her head. “If he was rude to you I apologise. It’s been stressful having to move things again when we just did it a few months ago. Our tempers were all running a little high by the end of the night.”

“I don’t expect you to apologise for Po- Harry,” Gordon replied. “You’re not responsible for him.”

“No, I want to,” Hermione replied. “He shouldn’t be taking his bad mood out on everyone.”

“It’s all right,” Gordon answered. “Listen, did you want to go grab a cup of coffee or anything?”

“Oh that’s nice of you to offer but I really need to just get some sleep- we’ve got another full day of moving tomorrow.” Hermione answered with a smile.

“Well… all right then. I’ll see you on Monday in class then,” Gordon waved, clearly disappointed.

“See you,” Hermione waved and then went up the steps, disappearing into the cottage. Gordon watched for a moment or two then went back on his way down the street.

Hermione dropped her bag on the floor and hung up her cloak then headed into the kitchen for something to drink before she went up to bed. Harry was already in there, his back to her as he stared out the window.

When he didn’t say a word, Hermione yanked open the icebox. “I made it home just fine all by myself, thanks for asking Harry.” She snapped.

“Why would you have had a problem walking home by yourself?” Harry asked his whole body tense.

“I didn’t,” Hermione replied icily. “But it really was very kind of you to just up and leave, especially after the way you behaved.”

“After the way I behaved?” Harry asked.

“Yes,” Hermione slammed her glass on the counter. “You seem to expect us all to just sit back and take whatever mood you’ve dealt us. I’m not going to do that Potter! I refuse to walk around on eggshells just because you’re in a nasty mood!”

Harry glared at her. “And I suppose you falling asleep while we have sex is supposed to put me in a good mood?”

“Oh please,” Hermione rolled her eyes. “I was already asleep when you started pawing at me… yet I woke up so YOU could have your evening pleasures. I’m so sorry my schoolwork is less important than you getting some!”

Harry couldn’t seem to come up with a good retort, but he didn’t need to as Hermione was fuming by now.

“And another thing! I ran into Gordon just before I came in here! He said you were rude to him when all he did was come by to return a book he borrowed from me!”

“He’s the last person I wanted to see sitting on our doorstep when I got home tonight,” Harry said coldly. “He’s always finding some reason to be around all the time and I’m sick of it.”

“Well you’d best get used to him being around,” Hermione’s voice grew louder. “He’s MY friend and I don’t have to run the people I choose to be around by you! I don’t need your approval!”

“I don’t like the bastard,” Harry sneered.

“I don’t care!” Hermione shouted. “As long as he is my friend you will treat him with SOME respect!”

“Don’t hold your breath,” Harry returned, his arms crossed over his chest.

Hermione made a disgusted noise and left the kitchen. Harry could hear her stomping up the stairs and felt momentarily bad. He didn’t want her to feel like she had to run her friends by him or that he wanted to control her.

With the intent of apologising, Harry went upstairs and was surprised to see Hermione pulling the duvet cover off their bed, her pillows under her arm. “Where are you going?” he asked.

“I’m sleeping on the sofa tonight,” Hermione said, her voice thicker than usual.

“You don’t have to sleep on the sofa. I’m sorry,” Harry replied, coming forward to put his arms around her.

“Don’t,” Hermione jerked away. “I’m really not in the mood for this tonight Harry.”

“I wasn’t going to do anything!” Harry said, getting angry again. “I can’t even hug you now?”

“No you can’t,” Hermione replied. “I think its best we cool off instead of kicking each other in bed.”

“You know what? Fine,” Harry grabbed his boxers and shirt out of the dresser and snatched the sheets off the bed, along with his pillows. “I’ll sleep on the bloody sofa tonight.” He stomped out of the room before she could say anything else.

Hermione dropped onto the bed, the duvet cover falling around her feet. She put her head in her hands as tears came to her eyes. She hated fighting with Harry but she honestly didn’t want to see him anymore that night- at least not until both of them began to think rationally.

Harry shifted uncomfortably on the sofa. He had never realised it was so narrow as he’d never had to sleep on it before. He wanted to go upstairs and apologise again but he knew Hermione most likely had locked the door.

He sighed and stared at the ceiling. This was the first night they would go to sleep angry with one another and he didn’t like it one bit. Harry couldn’t even remember how the argument had started by now. He resolved to fix everything the next morning.

16. Chapter 16

Author's note: We are both really glad that you all seem to be enjoying this story. And you've been a bit harsh on Luna, too, but remember she didn't know what Ron was planning...she's hurting just as much as he is. We know this may seem redundant and all, but please, please, please leave us a review? We'd both really appreciate it!

Also, we have some GREAT artwork done by the fabulously talented Alexa- check that out here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/heaven_portkey/timeoftheirlife1.jpg

Please let us know what you think of her drawing so we can pass the comments along! Thanks!

After a bad night’s sleep, Harry found himself in the kitchen making eggs and some pancakes, toast buttering itself on the counter while orange juice was already set out on the table.

Hermione woke upstairs to the smells drifting through the door. She had slept horribly, waking up often and reaching for his empty side of the bed. Getting up, she stretched and pulled on a pair of jeans and thick jumper, throwing her hair into a lopsided ponytail.

“Good morning,” Harry said as she entered the kitchen.

“Morning,” Hermione replied. “What is all this?”

“Breakfast,” Harry replied. He set the last stack of pancakes on the plate and turned to her. “My way of apologising for last night.”

“I’m sorry too,” Hermione replied.

“No…” Harry shook his head. “I was in a rotten mood… I was tired and sore and just…I don’t know. I didn’t know you fell asleep that one night and it just was the icing on the cake.”

“Well, I should have known better to confide in Cho about something like that,” Hermione said, shaking her head. “I just felt so bad about it and I had to confide in someone. She was the first person I saw.”

“Well...” Harry sat down, pulling Hermione down on the seat next to him. “I promise not to bug you if you’ve been up studying late from now on okay?”

“Okay,” she said with a smile. “And I promise not to try and fall asleep on you again. I really felt bad about it. I honestly thought you knew. You didn’t talk to me the next morning.”

“I woke up late,” Harry leaned back in his chair. “I had to run out to make it on time to my training.”

“It’s really catching up to you, isn’t it?” she asked, seeing for the first time how tired he looked. His skin was paler than usual and he looked like he could use more sleep than he’d been getting.

“Yes and no,” Harry replied. “This past week was just particularly gruelling. It’ll let up again starting tomorrow.”

“And to think we thought it’d be free and easy once we were able to be together,” Hermione said with a laugh. “Sometimes, I’d like to go back to that cabin of yours and just live in the moment, you know? Not have to worry about my classes or your training.”

“And at the time we were in that cabin all we wanted was to be right where we are at this moment,” Harry grinned. “We really can’t have it all, can we?”

She giggled. “No, I suppose not. But, we had each other then and we have each other now, right?”

“That we do,” Harry reached over and pulled her onto his lap.

“I really hate it when we fight,” she said, leaning back against his chest. “I hardly slept at all last night.”

“Neither did I,” Harry wrapped his arms around her. “That sofa is really uncomfortable.”

“Next time we fight, I’ll sleep on it,” she said.

“I don’t want there to be another time we fight where one of us sleeps elsewhere,” Harry said seriously.

“I missed you last night,” she said softly. “I’ve kind of gotten used to you.”

Harry hugged her tight as her arms slipped around his neck. “Same here,” he whispered.

“It’s too bad we have to go to Neville and Cho’s today,” Hermione said wistfully. “Won’t be able to do what we’re supposed to do after a major row like the one we had last night...”

“Of course we will,” Harry replied. “Why wouldn’t we?”

“I know we will,” she said laughing. “But we’ll have to wait until we get home tonight. I really doubt that after the mess we made of Cho and Neville’s first day in their new home, they’d appreciate us christening each room of their house like we did with ours.”

“Right,” Harry caught on. “Well... I do need a shower....”

“I didn’t take one yet, either,” she said with a sly smile. “I just woke up and threw some clothes on so it would probably be a good idea if I...you know, took one, too...”

“Well after that, we can wrap all of this up and take it on over to Neville and Cho’s,” Harry brushed a wisp of hair out of her eyes as they stood up. “And I’ll apologise the moment we walk in the door.”

Hermione smiled at him. “There’s my Harry I know and love,” she went willingly into his arms. He buried his nose in her hair as they stood together contentedly.

*** *** ***

Harry grasped Hermione’s hand in his as they climbed the steps to Cho and Neville’s flat. Both of them held a wrapped parcel of food in their free hands, still warm due to a few charms, and Harry knocked on the door with his knee.

“One minute!” they heard Cho call and a moment later the door flew open. “Oh it’s just you,” she said, her eyes cooling at the sight of her best friend and Hermione.

“I’ve come with a peace offering,” Harry said, the merest hint of a smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. “Breakfast for four.” Hermione nudged him gently. “Also an apology. I’m sorry for acting like such an arse last night.”

Cho stared at him a moment. “All right, who are you and what have you done with Harry Potter?”

“It’s amazing what a night of sleeping on the sofa can do for your demeanour,” Hermione explained, laughing. “Do you mind if we come in? We even made some of those horrid sandwiches Neville likes so much.”

“By all means,” Cho stood back. “What did you bring me? We don’t have any food here yet.”

“Pancakes,” Harry answered. “Toast and eggs.” He lifted the other hand.

“Do I smell food?” Neville asked, coming into the room. His hair was still damp from his shower and he grinned broadly when he saw that everything seemed to be back to normal.

“Aye,” Harry nodded.

“He even brought those disgusting things you like to eat,” Cho chimed in, grabbing at one of the parcels Harry held.

Neville shook his head as he took the plate from his fiancée and eagerly took a bite from one of the sandwiches. “You don’t know what you’re missing. These are really great,” he said.

“I’m pregnant and I wouldn’t touch those,” Cho replied, shuddering.

Everyone laughed, save for Neville, who glared good-naturedly at them all.

“We really are sorry about last night,” Hermione said, helping herself to some pancakes.

“No, I’m sorry,” Harry interjected. “I was really out of line and I apologise. It was your first day in your new home and I ruined that.”

“This breakfast more than makes up for it,” Neville said in between bites of his third sandwich. “Seriously, Harry. You didn’t ruin anything. We picked the worst possible weekend to move in. I should have known better after what we went through at training in the last week. We were all on edge.”

“What did you guys go through that made you so testy?” Cho finally asked, looking at her fiancé. Hermione nodded as well.

Neville shuddered just remembering what last week’s training had entailed. “Basically one endurance test after another. Not to mention psychological profiles.”

Hermione rubbed his shoulder as the black haired man shook his head. “It was just awful. And we weren’t allowed to tell anyone about it... we still aren’t supposed to but I don’t really care, it’s not like you two are going to go off and talk to the Daily Prophet about it.”

“I had no idea,” Cho said guiltily. “I know you weren’t supposed to say anything, but if I had known, I would have suggested putting the move off until next week.”

“No,” Neville replied. “Our wedding is coming up in three weeks and we wanted to be moved in before it. This is fine.” He wove their fingers together as he finished off another sandwich.

“He’s right,” Harry said. “We’re going to finish you up today as well.”

“So everyone is going to be on their best behaviour today, right?” Hermione asked, looking around at the group.

“Yes dear,” Harry answered, giving her a full grin.

“Well, let’s get these dishes cleaned up and get to work then,” Hermione said, taking Cho’s plate as well as Neville’s into the kitchen. Harry followed her and Cho and Neville were alone for a few minutes.

“This place is okay, isn’t it?” he asked her. He knew their little flat wasn’t as nice as Harry and Hermione’s cottage. With his wages being what they were, he couldn’t afford much, but at least they finally had a place of their own.

“I love it,” Cho replied softly. “It’s ours and it could be a one room hovel and I wouldn’t care.”

Neville grinned. “I feel the same. Once we’ve gotten everything sorted, I think it’ll be great.”

“And then we’ll have baby,” Cho replied.

“You know, I know we said we didn’t want to know,” Neville said, affectionately rubbing her stomach. “But I have a feeling we’re going to have a little girl and she’s going to be as beautiful as her mum.”

Cho laughed. “Maybe,” she replied. “And hopefully he or she will be as sweet as their father.”

“As long as she or he is happy and healthy, that’s all I want,” Neville said, leaning in to kiss her tenderly on the lips. “And I really, really think it’s going to be a girl, Cho.”

They were still kissing a few minutes later when Harry came back into the room. “What was that you said they called us Hermione? Rabbits?” he said loudly.

“That they did,” Hermione said just as loudly. “I think we could call them the pot calling the kettle black. What do you think, Harry?”

“I think so!” Harry called back even louder. Cho and Neville didn’t even act like they heard him. “Maybe we should leave the rest of the unpacking to them since they don’t even realise we’re here!”

“Remind me again why we’re friends with him?” Neville asked, reluctantly pulling away from his fiancée.

“Because underneath the annoying overprotective git he’d do anything for us?” Cho asked.

“Yeah once you look past the annoying, overprotectiveness, he’s actually an okay bloke,” Hermione deadpanned. “Despite all that, I fell in love with him.”

Harry grinned. “I do have that effect on people.”

“We forgot his huge ego,” Neville said, winking at Cho.

“Ha, ha.” Harry wrapped his arm around Hermione, who had just come by his side. “Well are we ready to stop picking on me and finish setting up your place?”

“Yes,” Cho said sweetly. “And don’t kill me for saying this, Harry, but I really don’t like the sofas where we put them. Would you pretty please move them for me?”

*** *** ***

The following Friday, Neville and Cho walked toward The Three Broomsticks. They were supposed to meet Lavender and Seamus for a late dinner. The two of them weren’t feeling up to going out, but felt they owed it to Lavender and Seamus, who seemed to not want to take no for an answer. Not helping matters was the fact that it had to be one of the coldest nights of the year. Neville put an arm around Cho’s shoulders.

“It’s bloody freezing tonight,” Neville said.

“Tell me about it,” Cho shivered. “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I miss Floo Powder!”

“Y-you and me b-both,” Neville said as his teeth chattered.

They hurried even quicker down the street and Neville stepped forward and held the door open for his fiancée. “They’re not here yet,” Cho frowned.

“No one is,” Neville asked, looking around the pub. “This place is always packed. What’s going on?”

“SURPRISE!” several loud voices made both Neville and Cho jump and start to laugh as their friends spilled out of the room.

“Tell us...you had no idea, right?” Lavender asked, helping Cho take off her cloak.

“None!” Cho gasped. “What is all this you guys?”

“Your engagement party, of course,” Hermione said, coming forward to give her friends a hug. “Madam Rosmerta was kind enough to let us rent out the entire pub for the evening.”

Cho looked around the pub at her close friends and felt tears come to her eyes. “Sorry, guys,” she said, laughing. “I cry at the drop of a hat these days.”

“Well, you’ve always been a bit of a sap,” Luna teased.

“Hey!” Cho protested but was swamped by Harry and Seamus.

“Only the best for you love,” Harry kissed her cheek.

Neville shook his hand and noticed that Ron was sitting alone at the bar, drinking. “How is he?” Neville whispered.

“Already well on his way to getting pissed,” Harry said darkly. “Saw Luna here and he’s said maybe two words to the rest of us.”

“She didn’t bring that new bloke with her, did she?” Neville asked, looking around the room.

“No,” Harry shook his head. “Luna may be a lot of things but she’s not cruel.”

“Maybe I should go and talk to him?” Neville asked. “Make sure he’s okay?”

“Go for it,” Harry said. “I’ve already tried, so have Hermione, Seamus and even Lavender.”

Neville nodded and walked slowly toward the bar. “Hey, Weasley,” Neville said warmly, patting his friend on the back.

“Hi,” Ron grunted. “Rosmerta, another?” he asked the pretty owner.

“How many of these have you had?” Neville asked, as Rosmerta set another tankard in front of Ron.

“I don’t know...” Ron replied. “Six... nine...”

“Why don’t you come and join the party?” Neville asked, gesturing to their friends who were crowded around Cho and talking animatedly about something.

“Maybe later,” Ron waved his hand and nearly fell off the stool. Neville looked at Rosmerta and made a slashing motion with his hand.

Rosmerta nodded and Neville looked sympathetically at his friend. Ron obviously was determined to drink himself into a stupor. “Come on and join the party,” Neville said, trying again. “I think you and I could take Seamus and Harry in a game of darts, what do you say?”

Neville suddenly realized how stupid this sounded. A sober Ron was dangerous with darts. Neville shuddered to think what he’d be like pissed.

“Right... I know where I want to put darts,” Ron stumbled off the stool, tankard firmly in hand.

“Ron,” Neville said warningly. Ron was headed in Luna’s direction. Before he could stop him, Ron had tapped Luna sharply on the shoulder. The blonde girl turned around and stared at Ron.

“Ronald?” she asked, concern etched across her face. “Are you alright?”

“No, can’t you bloody see I’m not!” he shouted. “And I’m not RONALD! I’m RON!”

The pub grew silent in the wake of Ron’s outburst.

Luna tried to put a hand on his arm, but he shrugged her off. “This isn’t like you. Why are you doing this?” she asked, aware that all eyes were on the two of them.

“You didn’t bring your new mate along eh?” Ron sneered. “Didn’t want me to have to size him up did you?”

“Ron,” Harry stepped on one side of his friend. “Let’s go outside and cool off.” He pulled the tankard forcibly from Ron’s hand, passing it on to Seamus.

“Fuck off Potter!” Ron shouted.

“Ron,” Luna said quietly, trying to keep her emotions in check. “This is a party for Neville and Cho. You’re making a scene. Come on. Let your mates take you outside so you can cool off. Please?”

Ron glared at her as Harry, Seamus and Neville dragged him outside.

“This is NOT the evening for this,” Harry said angrily. “You told me you’d be FINE with having Luna here!”

“Yeah so I lied,” Ron replied challengingly. “What are you going to do about it?”

Harry whipped out his wand and Neville thought he was about to hex the redhead but he simply muttered a sobering charm.

“That,” Harry said flatly. “Now we’d all appreciate if you could act like an adult.” He sat down next to his best friend. “We all feel bad about you and Luna all right? She feels bad too!”

“Right,” Ron muttered sarcastically.

Inside, Luna sighed heavily. “I really shouldn’t have come,” she said softly.

“Why not?” Hermione put her arm around the blonde. “Ron’s just pissed is all… when he’s in a better state of mind he’ll be fine with having you here.”

“Besides,” Cho said. “You’re MY friend too. I’m glad you’re both here!”

Luna saw Harry, Seamus and Neville come back inside without Ron. “Where is he?” she asked Harry in a low voice.

“Still outside,” Harry replied.

“I should probably go talk to him,” Luna sighed, gathering her wits.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked.

“I have to,” Luna replied. “I’ll be all right.”

Harry still looked unconvinced. “If you need any help… you wave me down and I’ll be out there okay?”

“Thank you,” Luna smiled genuinely. She grabbed her cloak and Ron’s and stepped outside, shivering as the cold night air hit her.

Ron stared up at the twinkling lights of Hogwarts, running his shoe repeatedly through the gravel pavement. He heard a noise to his left and looked over. “What?” he asked.

“Here,” Luna held out his cloak. “Take it, it’s freezing out here.”

“I don’t need it.” Ron muttered.

“Take it,” Luna repeated. When he still didn’t move, she sighed and dropped it over his shoulders.

Ron hunched over as she sat down next to him. “We really need to talk,” she said softly.

“What on earth could we possibly have to talk about?” Ron snapped.

“A lot of things,” Luna replied. “Us, for starters…”

Ron finally looked at her. “There’s an us?” he asked. “Since when?”

Luna chose not to answer his question. “Look…” she said carefully. “I don’t hate you. I really hope you don’t hate me. We just couldn’t make things work Ron!”

“How do you know that?” Ron asked tightly. “You just decided to go and date someone else before we had even broken up!”

“We broke up long before we parted ways,” Luna shoved her hands in her pockets, wishing she had gloves.

“That’s news to me,” Ron replied. “I was perfectly happy with you.”

“Sure you were,” Luna said.

“I was!” Ron got up abruptly from the bench. “Bloody hell- I don’t read minds! If you’d have told me you were unhappy before you decided to move on with this bloke then maybe we could work things out!”

“I haven’t moved on Ron!” Luna said. “I still love you all right?”

Ron stared at her. “You do?” he asked quietly.

Luna bit her lower lip. She hadn’t meant to let that particular piece of information slide. “Yes,” she whispered.

“I don’t understand,” Ron replied after a moment.

Luna lifted her eyes to meet his. “That doesn’t mean I want to get back together with you,” she said, her voice shaking.

“Why?” Ron asked. “Can… can you just tell me why? Don’t I deserve some sort of explanation?”

Luna had to catch her breath as her eyes filled with tears. She turned her back to him and stared up at the sky. “Do you remember that first night we sat and looked at the stars back at Hillsdale?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Ron came up next to her. “And then it rained and you kissed me.”

“I told you about the moon and how I used to think it followed me when I was a kid.” Luna said in a faraway tone.

“Yeah,” Ron said again.

“You didn’t laugh at me,” Luna said.

“No,” Ron replied. “It wasn’t funny.”

Luna felt a tear trickle down her cheek, the wetness growing cold on her skin. “I loved you for it,” she choked out. “For the first time in my life I had someone who I genuinely liked aside from my father taking me seriously.”

Ron didn’t know where she was going with this. “Luna…”

“And for awhile it was wonderful after we were able to work things out,” Luna continued on. “But when we left Hillsdale it’s like you left us behind. You’re not that busy at the shop yet the only time you come by the office is when you’re apologizing for something.

“I have to make all the effort in this relationship. It’s not a one way street here,” Luna was crying more freely now. “This is hurting me as much as it’s hurting you.”

“Then why are you seeing this other bloke?” Ron asked. “I can’t even bloody look at another girl.”

Luna was silent a moment. “He makes me laugh, like you used to. He makes me feel nice about myself, he tells me I deserve to be treated like a queen.”

“I think you do too!” Ron said, putting his hand on her arm.

“Don’t,” Luna stepped away.

“Look,” Ron was getting desperate. “What does this guy have that I don’t? Name it Luna and I’ll do whatever it is.”

“He doesn’t have anything you don’t have,” Luna replied quietly.

“Then why are you with him?” Ron asked again. “Are you getting serious with him? Are you—“

“I can’t get serious with him,” Luna said.

“Why?” Ron couldn’t help but ask.

“Because he isn’t you,” Luna replied.

Ron stared at her, hardly able to move. “Oh,” he said.

“I need you to do something for me,” Luna pulled a kerchief from her pocket and dabbed her eyes with it. Ron recognised it as one of his.

“Anything,” he said immediately.

“Give me some time,” she said. “Let’s… let’s get to know each other again, as friends… not as lovers or a couple but just as people. And then… after that… we can see where it all takes us?”

Ron nodded, a smile spreading over his face for the first time that evening. “Shall we shake on it?” he asked.

“No,” Luna wiped at her eyes again. “Let’s hug on it.”

Ron grinned and reached out for her wordlessly. She settled into his arms, her nose barely reaching his shoulder. “I’ve never been known for my patience,” Ron said. “But I love you too. And if this is what it takes to get you back then I’ll do it.”

“Thank you,” Luna smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “Shall we go back inside and prove to everyone that we’re still in one piece?”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Ron replied. He offered her his arm and they went back inside the pub.

*** *** ***

“You’ve got your eyes closed right?” Lavender asked.

“In addition to the blindfold you’ve made me wear, yes I have my eyes closed,” Cho said sarcastically.

Lavender suppressed a giggle as she opened the door to the workroom where Cho’s wedding robes were positioned on a floating mannequin. “I know you know why I’ve brought you in here,” she began.

“To see my robes, right?” Cho interjected.

“And I appreciate you taking my idiosyncrasies in stride,” Lavender continued as if Cho hadn’t spoken. “This is my first major design and I appreciate you letting me do this for you Cho.”

“Well, I should be thanking you for agreeing to do it,” Cho said with a smile.

Lavender grinned. “All right, without further ado...” she untied the blindfold. “What do you think?” she asked as Cho opened her eyes.

Cho looked at the beautiful ivory robes and found that she couldn’t even begin to find the words to say what she thought. She walked around the mannequin and touched the soft fabric with her hands.

“I, um-“ she managed to finally get out, but her voice trailed off as she looked at the robes in awe.

“Are they bad?” Lavender immediately prepared herself for the worst. “If you hate them I’m sorry and I’ll help you find new ones...”

“Hate them?” Cho asked softly. “I don’t hate them, Lav. They’re the most ...” Cho’s voice trailed off again as tears welled up in her eyes.

“I’ve made you cry,” Lavender replied. “I’m sorry Cho!”

Cho shook her head. “No, Lav,” she said quickly. “I’m not crying because I hate them! I love them. They’re the most beautiful robes I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe I actually get to wear them!”

Lavender was relieved. “Oh thank Merlin!” she breathed. “Here, I do need you to try them on so I can see if they need to be taken in or let out anywhere.”

Cho laughed. “I think we can rule out having to take them in. I’m as big as a house.”

Lavender grinned and turned her back while Cho changed into the robes. “Wow,” she said. “I’m so glad I picked this fabric it looks lovely on you!” the ivory colour set off Cho’s skin tone and dark hair.

Cho stared at her reflection in the mirror. She, of course, knew she was getting married. She’d accepted the proposal and she’d been busily planning along with Neville, but trying on these robes made it all seem...real. “I’m glad you did, too,” Cho said, feeling fresh tears come to her eyes as she looked at her reflection. “This is really going to happen, isn’t it?”

Lavender smiled at her. “Yes it is, and very soon.” She straightened out one of the sleeves. “Do me a favour and turn to the side...”

Cho did as she was told and watched as Lavender gave her and the robes an appraising look. “Is something wrong?” Cho asked.

Lavender grinned widely. “Take a look in the mirror.”

Cho’s mouth fell open. From this angle, she actually looked...slim. If someone saw her like this, they might now know she was pregnant at all. “H-how...how did you...?” Cho managed to choke out.

“It’s a little charm I had Hermione help me with. She didn’t really understand what it was for, but she will when she sees the robes...” Lavender clapped in delight. “I’m so excited that it worked!!”

“You and me both,” Cho said, nodding. “Wow, Lavender. I can’t believe you did this for me. I don’t know how I could begin to repay you for this. It’s amazing.”

“Well... you can agree to pose for some photos so I can put together a portfolio of sorts. You and Luna will have to pose and I’ll probably get some of Hermione as well.” Lavender replied. “But I’m so glad you like them Cho.”

“You’ve got yourself a deal,” Cho said. She couldn’t resist turning around again to catch another glimpse of herself in the robes. “I should probably take these off now, right? Unless you need me to do anything else?”

“I don’t think so,” Lavender replied thoughtfully. She turned her back again and gathered some scraps of the fabric as Cho changed back into her regular robes. “By the way, did you want a veil of any sort?”

“What do you think?” Cho asked her friend. “I hadn’t actually given it much thought.”

“You may as well,” Lavender replied. “I can make one pretty quickly.”

Cho gave Lavender a hug. “Thank you so much, Lavender.”

“Anytime,” Lavender hugged her. “I can’t wait to see what you have for a baby so I can make it a set of robes as well.”

“Neville seems to think it’s going to be a little girl,” Cho said conversationally.

“What would you like it to be?” Lavender carefully hung the robes on the floating mannequin.

“I know this sounds bad and I really only care if its healthy and happy, but I kind of have my heart set on a little girl, too,” Cho replied.

“Are you going to teach her to dance?” Lavender smiled.

“Of course,” Cho said feeling all emotional as she could picture herself and her little girl practising dance steps. She’d actually thought an awful lot about it. “Besides, if I don’t, I’m sure her godfather will.”

Lavender squealed. “So you’re making Harry the godfather? Who are you naming as the godmother?”

“I know this sounds unconventional,” Cho began. “But I was thinking of asking Ron.”

When she saw the look of confusion on Lavender’s face, she said, “As sort of like a co-godfather. It’s just that he’s friends with both Neville and me and we’ve known him just as long as Harry. It sounds crazy, doesn’t it?”

“I think it sounds sweet,” Lavender replied. “Definitely unusual but sweet.”

“Good,” Cho said pleased that Lavender thought this sounded like a nice idea. “You don’t think Hermione will be mad, do you? I mean, I passed her over for maid of honour and I’ve decided to go with Ron on this...I hope she doesn’t think it’s because I don’t like her, because I do...very much.”

“Well,” Lavender said pensively. “You’ve only known us what... since the beginning of summer holiday. You’ve known Ron all your life. I don’t think Hermione expected to stand up for you in the wedding and I don’t think she expects to be named godmother of your baby either. She’ll love it regardless, just like the rest of us will.”

“Good,” Cho said relieved. “I guess we better get back to work. Madam Malkin will think we’ve apparated to the cafe down the street again.”

Lavender laughed. “Right you are,” she replied. “I’ll be out in a minute, I just want to get the veil fabric together so I can start sewing that later.”

“Okay,” Cho said. “Thanks again, Lavender. And not just for the robes, either. You’ve become a really good friend.”

“You have too,” Lavender smiled back at her.

*** *** ***

Gordon sat at the table in the library that he and Hermione had come to claim as their own. They had a Charms exam coming up in the next few days and he’d suggested a study session after class. He knew she’d say yes even before he’d asked her. If the way to a man’s heart was through his stomach, Gordon knew that the way to Hermione’s was through books.

Begrudgingly, Gordon had to hand it to Potter. He sure knew how to get himself back in her good graces. It seemed in her eyes, Potter could do no wrong. Gordon hated the way her eyes would light up when she talked about Potter. It was enough to make him want to vomit. But, he had to know something. “Hermione?” he asked softly.

“Hmm?” she asked, clearly absorbed in whatever it was she was reading.

“Do you have anything big planned for Christmas?” he asked. He fixed a smile on his face as she looked up at him over her book. “This will be your first Christmas with Harry, won’t it?”

“Yes, you know that,” Hermione gave him a somewhat strange look. “We just met in June.”

Gordon’s smile faltered a bit. “Of course. I was just wondering if you had any big plans for the holiday. Just being conversational is all.”

“Well...” Hermione leaned back. “Neville and Cho’s wedding is the week before it... that’s pretty big. Other than that, Harry, Seamus and I are going over to my parent’s house that day I believe.”

Gordon nodded. He couldn’t help thinking that it should be him that was going to be with her then, not Potter. “That sounds nice,” Gordon said. “So, I take it Harry’s getting along better with your dad then?”

“Oh they get along like old friends now,” Hermione smiled widely. “It’s like they’ve known each other for years. My father loves golfing with Harry- well he can’t anymore since the weather’s gotten so bad- but Harry’s so bad at it.” She laughed softly.

“The Boy Who Lived is actually bad at something?” Gordon asked teasingly.

“Oh yes, golf certainly isn’t his fine point.” Hermione replied. “But my father loves it. And even though Harry hates it he goes just so he and my dad will have something to laugh about later.”

Gordon pretended to listen as Hermione related to him some story about Potter playing golf. Gordon felt anger surge in him as he heard Hermione sing Potter’s praises yet again. Didn’t she see what he had made her into? She was a beautiful, intelligent, charming witch and Potter had turned her into little more than a groupie. She deserved better than that.

“So you’ll be having a nice break from classes for the holiday, but what about Harry?” Gordon asked a few moments later. “I can’t imagine they let Aurors have that much time off.”

That made the corners of Hermione’s mouth turn down a bit. “They have Christmas week off, and then they go back on January 2nd.” She leaned back. “He even has to go to Madrid almost straightaway for another training session. I hate when they make them do that.”

Gordon nodded. An idea suddenly came to him as Hermione excused herself from the table to get another book. He had an old schoolmate who worked for The Daily Prophet. If this friend heard that Harry Potter was to be in Madrid, perhaps he could get some incriminating photos. Admittedly, it might not pan out, but it was worth a shot. And Gordon was getting desperate. If he waited too much longer, Potter would take Hermione away for good and that —Gordon thought—was not an option.

17. Chapter 17

Author's note: We both want to apologize for not responding personally to reviews this time...real life interfered a bit with both of us this week and you can also blame Sims 2 for taking away some of our attention. We're both addicted, but as long as no one gets hurt... what's the problem right? ;) But, seriously we do promise that we read each and everyone and appreciate them more than you know.

Harry sat on the sofa, doing his required reading for his training while Hermione sat next to him, her shoulder touching his as she flipped through her Charms text and filled out a worksheet.

“This place is so quiet now without Cho here,” he spoke aloud, making her jump slightly. “Sorry love, did I scare you?” he grinned.

“A little,” she admitted. “I guess it’s a little too quiet.”

“Yeah,” Harry rubbed the back of his head. “Problem is, if I put on the telly I don’t read, I watch it.”

Hermione giggled as she wrote something on the worksheet. “Sounds as if someone doesn’t want to read his training manual.”

“I’m sick of training,” Harry tossed the book across the room. “Remind me again why I want to be an Auror?”

“Because you were practically born to be one,” Hermione said, not looking up from her own textbook. “And you can’t get sick of it only a couple of months into it. You have three more years of it.”

Harry groaned loudly. “I know,” he whined. “Maybe I should have bloody taken that instructor up on skiving off the classes.”

“You don’t mean that,” Hermione said absently, still not looking up at him.

Harry looked over at her. “You know, I think I’ll quit the classes,” he said casually.

“Uh-huh,” she said as she turned a page in her book.

“And after I quit, I’m going to run away and become an exotic dancer.” Harry still looked at her.

“Sure, whatever,” she said, nodding. It suddenly registered in her head what Harry had just said, she looked up at him finally and asked, “What?”

Harry started laughing. “About time I got your attention,” he teased.

“Very funny,” Hermione said keeping a straight face. “Unlike some people in this house, I actually want to study.”

Harry grabbed her book, tossing it across the room so it landed on his. “And I actually want to snog you right about now...”

“Harry!” Hermione exclaimed. “You’ve made me lose my place! I knew this would happen! You said that if I studied downstairs with you, you’d be on your best behaviour.”

“Come on,” Harry wheedled. “We need a little break. My eyes are crossing from reading so much!”

Hermione couldn’t help laughing. “We’ve only been at it for 45 minutes. Were you this bad at Hogwarts?”

“No,” Harry replied. “You weren’t there to distract me unfortunately.”

“How about I go upstairs and finish my studying and then you can finish your reading down here and neither of us will have any distractions,” Hermione suggested.

“No,” Harry shook his head as he firmly wound his arms around her shoulders.

“You’re not going to take no for an answer, are you?” she asked, already feeling her resolve weakening.

Harry nibbled on her earlobe, letting his lips and tongue skim over her skin. “Nope,” he said softly. “What are you going to do about that?”

“Give in,” she whispered. “Like I always seem to do when you do that.”

Harry grinned as she turned and he kissed her fully, easing her body down on the sofa. The rest of her books fell to the floor, making him laugh as she pulled her worksheets out from underneath her.

“I wonder if this is what it would have been like if we’d gone to the same school,” she wondered aloud. “Would we have snogged all night in our common room? We never would have gotten any work done.”

“You say that like it’s such a bad thing,” Harry replied innocently.

“I’m just saying it’s a good thing you and I didn’t go to the same school,” she said. “Mind you, you probably wouldn’t have looked twice at me back then.”

Harry laughed as he ran his fingers through her tangled hair. “Mind your tongue, Ms. Granger. I wasn’t much to look at then either.”

“And you think you are now?” she asked teasingly.

Harry’s jaw dropped open and she laughed loudly. “You bet I am,” he said cockily.

“I suppose you’ll do,” she said cheekily and then squealed when Harry began to tickle her unmercifully.

“What was that?” he grinned. “Care to repeat that last statement Granger?”

She was laughing nearly uncontrollably and Harry stopped when he asked her that question allowing her to answer. “I said.. that you are the most handsome, most charming, most outstanding wizard in the entire world. How’s that?”

“Better,” Harry didn’t give her time to breathe as he leaned down and kissed her again, running his hands greedily over her body.

Hermione began to unbutton Harry’s shirt. There was no mistaking the look of triumph in his eyes before he leaned down and kissed her again.

He began to rub against her body, making her gasp in pleasure. His fingers deftly began to unbutton her shirt as well as his tongue swept over hers.

Hermione was about to unzip Harry’s trousers when she heard the doorbell chime. She pretended not to hear it, hoping that Harry hadn’t heard it either. She certainly didn’t want him to stop what he was doing.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me,” Harry said when the doorbell rang again. They were both frozen, her hand still on his zipper. “That’s probably Neville with something for the wedding.”

“Do you think if we ignore it, he’ll go away?” Hermione asked.

“Probably not,” Harry groaned. He got off her unwillingly, not bothering to re-button his shirt. Hermione got up as well, hastily fixing herself back up as they went to the front door. “What do you want Neville...” his voice trailed off as he saw who was at the door.

Robert and Elinore were standing on the front steps. The smiles on their faces faded as they took in a very dishevelled Harry and Hermione.

“Mum, Dad,” Hermione finally managed to choke out. “W-what are you doing here?”

“We thought we’d drop by to say hello since we haven’t seen you in a few weeks,” Elinore said. “A nice wizard at that Leaky Cauldron let us through after we told him who we were going to see.”

Hermione nodded and saw her father looking at her with an uncomfortable expression on his face.

“Sweetheart, your shirt,” Elinore said to her daughter. Hermione pulled a confused face at her mother. Then, looking down at her shirt, she was mortified to see that she’d missed quite a few buttons in her haste to put it back on. Her eyes fell on Harry whose own shirt was still unbuttoned. She nudged him with her elbow.

Harry looked at her for a moment, confused, and suddenly realised what was wrong. He sent an embarrassed smile at Hermione’s parents and turned away, buttoning his shirt as fast as he could. “Sorry about that,” he cleared his throat. “Why don’t you both come in?”

Robert and Elinore exchanged nervous laughter as they walked inside the cottage. Hermione let them take the lead as she needed to fix her own shirt.

“Why are all these books and papers on the floor?” Elinore asked Harry.

“We were studying there,” he replied immediately. “You know Hermione, always has a big exam coming up and I was just doing my required reading. The doorbell startled us,” he said, his voice too bright.

“Uh-huh,” Elinore said, an amused expression on her face.

Hermione quickly gathered up the papers and books and set them on the coffee table. Robert and Elinore took a seat on the sofa. “Um, Harry?” Hermione asked her boyfriend. “Why don’t you help me with some tea?”

“Sure,” Harry agreed quickly. “I didn’t know your parents were coming over,” he hissed as soon as they got in the kitchen.

“Neither did I,” she retorted. “Merlin! I feel like a teenager who invited her boyfriend over to the house while her parents were away and they came back and caught us snogging each other senseless on the sofa. Did you see the looks on their faces?”

“Your dad hasn’t said a word since he walked in.” Harry filled the teapot with water. “That’s never a good thing.”

“It’s a good thing you didn’t answer the door in your boxer shorts,” Hermione said seriously.

Harry shook his head. “They haven’t dropped by like this before,” he said, grabbing some scones and piling them on a plate. Hermione set a glass dish of jam next to them and began pulling some teacups from the cabinet.

“No, they usually ring first,” Hermione agreed. “But on the bright side, at least my dad didn’t walk away or punch your lights out or something like that.”

“True,” Harry said, pouring the hot water into the cups and dropping in tea bags. “Okay,” he grabbed up the tray of tea and Hermione held the platter of scones.

Hermione led the way back into the living room. Her parents had obviously been having their own private conversation which stopped abruptly when Harry and Hermione came into the room.

“Don’t worry,” Hermione said, as she sat the platter down on the table. “I didn’t make these.”

“I did,” Harry grinned at them. “So that means they’re actually edible.”

Elinore and Hermione laughed, while Robert was still silent. Elinore shot her husband a warning look that didn’t go unnoticed by Hermione.

“These are really quite good, Harry,” Elinore said after eating one of the scones. “Robert, you should really try one of these.”

“Maybe I will,” Robert replied. He spread some jam on one and bit into it. “Quite good,” he nodded in approval.

Hermione and Harry exchanged relieved glances.

“Oh, Hermione,” Elinore said conversationally. “You’ll never guess who stopped by the other day. I was so surprised to see him. I almost didn’t recognise him. The last time I saw him was when you were still at Beauxbatons. Your friend Gordon Devereaux.”

“Gordon came to see you?” Hermione asked taken aback.

“Well, he had some Christmas gifts from his parents to give to us. It’s a shame the two families drifted apart when he changed schools,” Elinore replied.

Robert didn’t miss seeing Harry stiffen at the mention of Gordon, but saw that he managed to keep his composure. “So your family and Gordon’s were close?” Harry asked, taking a large bite out of a scone.

“Quite close,” Elinore answered wistfully. “We even vacationed together in Athens one holiday when Hermione and Gordon were 12. Once Gordon transferred schools, we never saw them again. I always thought that was sort of strange.”

Harry raised his eyebrow at Hermione, who shook her head slightly at him. “Well...” he said. “That’s a shame.”

Robert sipped his tea. “I’m sure they got busy with other people as we did,” he said.

Thinking it’d be a good idea to steer the conversation away from all things Gordon Devereaux, Hermione cleared her throat. “Harry’s going to be going to Madrid right after Christmas,” she related to her parents.

“Oh really?” Robert turned his attention to the young man. “What’s bringing you there?”

“Auror training,” Harry replied. “I don’t actually leave until right after New Year’s... their way I suppose of giving us a holiday.”

“At least you and Hermione get to spend your first Christmas together,” Elinore said, winking at her daughter. “We’re really looking forward to having you for the holiday, Harry.”

“I’m looking forward to it as well,” Harry said honestly. “I’ve never really had a family holiday like this one before,” he brushed a few crumbs from his trousers.

“We’re happy to have you, Harry,” Elinore said, sitting her teacup down. “Let’s hope it will be the first of many holidays you’ll be spending with us.”

Harry grinned as he reached over for Hermione’s hand. “Let me second that motion,” he joked and everyone laughed.

“Well since it’s your first true Christmas Harry,” Robert began. “You’ll have to let me know what you’d like on the table.”

“Oh, anything will be fine. I’m not a picky eater,” Harry looked at his girlfriend.

Hermione beamed at him. Again, she couldn’t help but marvel at how things had changed between her boyfriend and her parents.

“Well, we don’t want to keep you,” Elinore said, looking at her husband. “We should probably get back home and let you get back to what you were doing before we interrupted you.”

Hermione’s smile faltered a bit, but she quickly covered. “Yeah, we should get back to studying, right?” she asked, looking to Harry.

“Right,” Harry said immediately. “I still have a ton of reading to do for my training class tomorrow. Thank goodness there’s only a few more days till my break- Neville and Cho’s wedding is next week.”

“That’s right,” Robert smiled. “She’s taking it easy still I hope?”

“Yes,” Hermione replied. “She’s staying off her feet as much as she can. And with her overprotective fiancé and her overprotective best friend, they’re making sure she does.”

Robert laughed. “That’s what I like hearing,” he said, his eyes twinkling at Harry as they all got up.

Hermione hugged her parents at the door and she watched as Harry hugged her mum and exchanged a handshake with her dad. After saying goodbye, she closed the door and leaned against it.

“That went quite well, don’t you think?” Hermione asked her boyfriend. “If you throw out their arrival, I think it went quite well indeed.”

“Quite well,” Harry echoed with a sigh. “And well enough to kill off my libido for the evening.”

“Something tells me that’s what my dad had in mind,” Hermione teased, following him back into the living room.

“Right,” Harry groaned as she picked up their books. They collapsed back on the sofa, in much of the same position they were before Harry had almost pounced on her.

A few minutes into studying, Hermione suddenly started to giggle.

“What?” Harry asked. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” Hermione said trying to bite her lip to keep from laughing. “I’m sorry...I was just remembering the look on my parents’ faces when you opened the door.”

Harry fought to keep from snickering. “That was quite funny wasn’t it?”

“I nearly died when she pointed out my shirt wasn’t buttoned correctly,” Hermione said before collapsing into more giggles.

Harry set his book aside as he began to openly laugh. “And my shirt unbuttoned altogether?” he asked before she began to tear up from giggling so hard.

Hermione wiped a tear from her cheek. “Merlin! Do you think they’re talking about it right now?”

“Probably,” Harry said with a roar of laughter. “I don’t see how they could ignore what we were doing!” they both looked at each other before breaking out into another round of near hysterical laughter.

Hermione closed her book. She knew she was pretty much done for the night and she had a feeling Harry was as well.

“How about we call it an early night and go to bed?” she asked, still laughing.

“Go to bed as in sleep?” Harry asked, throwing her an innocent look yet his eyes held a devilish light.

“Yes, sleep,” Hermione said, punching him on the arm. “I thought your libido was ‘killed’ for the night.”

“It was until you said bed,” Harry replied.

“Neville was right,” Hermione said, shaking her head as she gathered up her books. “We are a bunch of rabbits.”

“A bunch?” Harry asked, following her up the stairs. “A bunch?”

“Give me a break, I’m sleepy,” she said faking a yawn.

Harry surprised her by grabbing her around the waist, hoisting her up. “That isn’t fooling me Granger,” he said.

“Oh, all right,” Hermione said, laughing. “After all, my mum did tell us to get back to what it was we were doing before they interrupted.”

“That she did. So that really means they’ve given us their blessing to continue having sex all the time,” Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. “I just love you managed to twist that around to make it seem like my parents are encouraging our sexual relationship.”

Harry grinned. “Call it a special gift,” he set her down just inside the bedroom. “One of many.”

“You know, we should really look into plans for expanding on this place,” Hermione mused.

“What?” Harry looked at her. “Why?”

“Your ego,” she teased. “I don’t think these walls can hold much more.”

“Ha, ha Hermione,” Harry held his hands up, wiggling his fingers.

She squealed and moved away. “Don’t you dare Potter, especially if you plan on getting any from me tonight.”

“All right,” Harry dropped his hands immediately.

“That’s my good Harry,” Hermione cooed, pulling off her jeans and jumper.

“Now come and be my good Hermione,” Harry, clad only in his boxers by this point, pulled his girlfriend over to the bed.

*** *** ***

Ron followed the way around the cubicles set out at the Quibbler office to Luna’s new office, pointed out to him by the witch sitting near the entrance. She had gotten promoted a few days before, but Ron hadn’t seen her much since the engagement party a few weeks previous.

He knocked hesitantly on the door, hoping she wouldn’t be angry with him stopping by announced.

Luna looked up in surprise. “Come in!” she called, setting her parchments aside. “Ron!” she said. “What are you doing here?”

“I uh… wanted to congratulate you on your promotion…” Ron said. “I know we were all together the other night but…” he smiled sheepishly. “I didn’t really get a chance to talk to you so…”

“Why don’t you come in,” Luna smiled.

“Thanks,” Ron said. “This is a really nice office.”

“Thank you,” Luna looked at him. “What have you got there?” she asked curiously, nodding at the bag in his hand.

“Oh,” Ron replied. “Well since I couldn’t bring you champagne on the job I brought some butterbeer… I didn’t think I would stay long but I had the afternoon off so I just thought I would drop by.”

“Oh, Daddy’s let me have this afternoon off from writing so I can set this place up,” Luna replied.

“Do you… need any help with anything?” Ron offered.

“Sure,” Luna replied, her eyes soft as she looked at him. “I have some pictures I wanted to hang up later.”

“All right,” Ron uncorked the butterbeer and poured some into the goblets he’d brought with. “Here…” he handed her one. “Should we… you know… toast?”

“To what?” Luna tipped her head to her side.

“To your new job,” Ron held up his goblet and Luna clinked hers against his. “May it give you all the money, fame and prestige you want it to,”

She laughed at that as if it were the funniest thing she’d ever heard, making him grin. “To that,” Luna drank her glass quickly.

Ron did as well, pouring them another. It was a small bottle of butterbeer so two goblets apiece finished it off. He was about to throw the cork and bottle in the garbage when she pulled the cork from his fingers. “What are you doing with that?”

Luna went around to her desk drawer, extracting a long piece of string and a needle. “I’m going to put it with the rest of my corks,” she replied. Ron came around and saw with wide eyes the length of the string.

“Why do you have those all together like that?” he lifted the corks out.

“For luck,” Luna replied. “This one is the first butterbeer I ever had. And this is the first one I had after my mother died… this is from the time we had some at Hogwarts…” she seemed to know exactly what each cork was from.

“Wow,” Ron finally said. “That’s pretty… incredible.”

“I think it is,” Luna finished pushing the cork over the needle. “If you’d like to help me, you can hang it on the little hooks that are on the walls around the room.

“I thought you wanted to put pictures there,” Ron replied.

“The ones near the top of the room,” Luna said.

“Oh,” Ron squinted. “Well… sure I’ll hang this up there if you want…” he pulled out his wand.

“No, will you hang it the Muggle way?” Luna asked him, her hands clasped together while she smiled at him.

“Hang it the Muggle way?” Ron repeated. “I… suppose so.” He looked around. “Do you have a ladder?”

“I’m just kidding,” Luna laughed. “I wanted to see if you would actually do that.”

“Bugger,” Ron grinned.

“But do you mind?” Luna held up the cork string again. Ron grabbed his wand from his pocket and levitated the string from her hands onto the hooks above them. It was so long it actually stretched along three quarters of the room, leaving only a few inches of the string to spare.

“It’s a good fit,” Ron said. Luna was sitting cross legged on her desk, drinking from her goblet of butterbeer.

“I can still add more when I get more corks,” Luna nodded. “Thank you Ron,” she smiled at him.

“Sure,” Ron replied. “Can I sit up here with you?”

Luna moved over as Ron sat next to her, crossing his legs as well. “I love the view from here,” she said. “I can see the pond and the forest.”

“It’s really nice,” Ron agreed, looking sideways at her. “What else have you been doing aside from moving up in the world?”

Luna shrugged. “Just helping Cho get ready for the wedding, mostly. Lavender’s been having me out for fittings every other week.”

“Have you seen the top secret robes that she’s doing for Cho?” Ron asked.

“No, but apparently Lavender finally showed them to Cho and she hasn’t stopped gushing about them since.” Luna smiled. “Lavender’s got quite the eye for design.”

“So I’ve heard,” Ron replied. “Hey guess what…” he said

“What?” Luna asked.

“My brothers are talking to me about taking over the Diagon Alley shop so they can work more in the Hogsmeade location.” Ron replied. “They said I could hire some staff to take over my spot and I’ll move up to manager.”

“That’s fantastic,” Luna said. “Why didn’t you tell me when you walked in?”

“Because I wanted to celebrate with you about your promotion,” Ron answered, shrugging.

Luna stared at him for a moment. “You still surprise me sometimes,” she said softly.

“What do you mean?” Ron asked.

She shrugged. “Nothing,” she said. “Just…” Luna played with some loose strands of hair.

“What?” Ron asked.

“It’s not my place to say anymore,” Luna said in an even softer voice.

“Yes it is,” Ron replied.

“We… we’re not dating anymore,” she said, her tone turning slightly sad.

Ron nodded after a moment. “Right,” he said, equally quiet. They sat in silence a few more minutes before he got off her desk. “Well… why don’t you tell me where you want me to hang those pictures for you?”

Luna felt a surge of affection towards him. “That one…” she pointed to a still life. “I’d like it there…” she watched Ron hang up the pictures, a tiny smile playing on her lips. He was handling their ‘getting to know one another phase’ much more maturely than she thought he would.

“That how you want it?” Ron asked. He looked around the office, noticing how much nicer it already looked from just the pictures and her butterbeer cork string.

“Yes,” she clapped her hands, her hair swinging behind her. The door opened at that moment and Michael stepped inside.

“Wow,” he looked around. “I came in to see if you needed any help but it seems you have everything set up already!”

Luna felt her face flame. “Yes, I had some good help,” she looked at Ron, who was standing silently in the corner. “Um… this is Ron, Ron this is Michael.”

“Nice to meet you,” Michael said innocently, not realising who Ron was. “Good friend of Luna’s?”

“Yeah,” Ron replied after a moment, shaking Michael’s hand. “We’re good friends,” he fought hard to keep his face from turning as red as his hair. “I should probably head out so you can get anything else you need finished up.”

“All right,” Luna managed, grateful that Ron wasn’t about to make a scene. Perhaps she had misjudged him; perhaps he really truly was serious about working things back out with her. “Thank you for coming by,” she smiled at him, hugging him briefly.

“No problem,” Ron kissed her quickly on the cheek. “Nice meeting you Michael,” he said.

“You too,” Michael smiled at him, still obviously unaware of who Ron was.

Ron looked one more time at Luna and left her office, walking quickly from the main room of the Quibbler. Once outside, he sucked in some cold air, letting his body relax. “You handled that well,” he said to himself.

Back inside the office, Michael was looking around. “Why are those corks hanging up there?” he asked.

“Oh those are my lucky butterbeer corks,” Luna explained, her mind still on the redhead that had just left.

“Lucky ones?” Michael was amused.

“I can remember where I drank each and every one of them,” Luna said proudly.

“Really,” Michael looked like he was trying not to laugh.

She sat down at her desk. “I just can’t believe I’m in this office... it’s so much nicer than the cubicle... it’s quieter and more private as well.”

Michael sat down in a chair across from Luna. He stretched his long legs out and gave her a charming smile. “I’m sure it doesn’t hurt with your dad owning the paper and all.” He’d meant it to tease her, but as soon as he said it, he knew he’d struck a nerve.

“Well...” Luna fiddled with some quills. “If I’d wanted to ride on my father’s glory then I would have, instead of working from the bottom up.”

“I’m sorry, Luna. That didn’t come out right. You know I didn’t mean that, don’t you?” Michael asked a serious expression on her face. “I was just trying to have a go with you. You’re the most talented writer on staff. Everyone knows that.”

“I know,” Luna forced a smile onto her face. “My father gave me the rest of this afternoon off to set up, but now that Ron hung up everything, I just need to clean up my desk and I’ll be through.”

“Would you want to go out for a late lunch?” Michael asked. “I don’t have any photo assignments today, so I have a free afternoon, too?” She looked a little hesitant to Michael’s disappointment. “Come on, Luna,” Michael said, pretending to pout. “Don’t make me eat by myself. You know you really want to...”

“I appreciate the offer,” Luna replied. “But maybe I can take a rain check? I really want to get everything organised in here.”

“I’ll hold you to that,” Michael said grinning at her. He stood up from his chair and walked toward the door. “If you change your mind, I’ll be in the darkroom developing.”

“Okay,” Luna nodded at him, her mind already far away. She liked Michael... but after two dates with him she could tell the relationship would not be going anywhere. Especially now with her reconciliation with Ron- she hadn’t been lying when she told him she was still in love with him. And his mature behaviour towards their ‘deal’ was definitely leaving an impact on her.

*** *** ***

Harry opened up the door to the cottage and nearly collapsed against the door. It had been another marathon training session. It had started at 3 a.m. and luckily the instructors took pity on them and let them leave at lunchtime. Harry had been too knackered to join any of his classmates for lunch and decided to take advantage of the empty cottage to get some much needed rest.

He’d just taken off his trainers and settled back on the sofa when the doorbell rang. Harry thought about ignoring it, but whoever it was, wasn’t taking the hint. Harry sighed heavily and stalked over to the door and swung it open and saw his best friend standing on the doorstep. “Ron,” Harry said, trying not to snap at his friend. He knew Ron had been through quite a lot lately and he didn’t need Harry yelling at him. “What are you doing here?”

“I really think I’m doing it!” Ron grinned stepping inside as Harry closed the door behind him.

“Doing what?” Harry asked, yawning.

“I think I’m winning Luna back!” Ron almost did a little jump in the hallway.

“Making progress, are you?” Harry said smiling at his friend. “Nice to know you finally sussed that the pathetic drunk routine wasn’t working for you.”

“Hilarious Potter,” Ron replied. “But you guys were right. Today I went into her office to sort of... celebrate since I really didn’t get a chance to talk to her the other night. I brought some butterbeer and then I helped her hang some things up...” he trailed off for a moment. “Then her new bloke walked in.”

“And...?” Harry asked impatiently.

“I kept it cool,” Ron said proudly. “I even shook his hand.”

“Okay,” Harry said slowly. “Who are you and what have you done to Ron Weasley?”

“Hilarious again Potter,” Ron was clearly in too good a mood to be offended.

“All joking aside, I’m proud of you,” Harry said, walking into the kitchen. “You want anything to drink?”

“Got any butterbeer?” Ron asked.

Harry walked over to the icebox. “Sorry,” he said, looking inside. “I think Hermione took the last one with her this morning. We do have some nasty looking pumpkin juice that I think Cho left when she moved. So, it’s either tea or water, your choice.”

Ron grimaced. “Tea then,” he answered. “I have some other news too,” he told Harry of his promotion to store manager.

“That’s great!” Harry said, as he filled the tea kettle. “Sounds like things are really turning around for you.”

“I really hope so,” Ron said. “I have something to ask you now.”

“Okay,” Harry said, placing the kettle on the stove. “What’s on your mind?”

“Do you think I should tell Luna about how I was saving up for a place for the two of us?” Ron asked. “I mean... even though she and I... broke up... I’ve still been putting money away.”

Harry looked thoughtful for a few moments. “When did you plan on telling her? It might be a bit too soon.”

“Well I wouldn’t say anything until we officially got back together... it’s just that... my keeping my savings a secret was a big strain on our relationship... that and me putting my foot in my mouth all the time,” Ron accepted the steaming cup of tea.

“If the two of you get back together,” Harry began, but seeing the look on Ron’s face, he decided to rephrase that. “I meant ‘when the two of you get back together’, you should tell her. Be honest with her. Honesty is very important to Luna.”

“I realise that now,” Ron replied.

“I have a bit of good news for you,” Harry said smugly. “If you want to hear it that is...”

“Of course I do,” Ron said. “What is it?”

Harry grinned. “I happen to know that a certain blue-eyed blonde will be going to Cho’s wedding all by herself.”

Ron’s eyes brightened. “She is? She’s not going with that Michael bloke?”

“She was telling Cho the other night that he’s going to be out of town that weekend on assignment,” Harry said.

“Should I ask her to go with me? Or should I just go alone as well?” Ron asked, excited by this news.

“Why don’t you ask her to go as friends?” Harry suggested.

“I can’t believe I didn’t think of that,” Ron said.

“That’s what I’m here for,” Harry joked. “To think of the things you don’t. Besides, if you need romantic advice, you should come to the expert.”

“Oh you mean the expert who couldn’t even keep his girlfriend awake during the act?” Ron teased.

Harry glowered at him. “You’ve been speaking to Cho?”

Ron laughed at him. “I didn’t have to. I heard it from Seamus, who heard it from Lavender, who probably heard it from Cho.”

“I’m never telling you people anything,” Harry said crossly. “And she didn’t fall asleep, she just...you know...dozed off for a minute.”

“Right,” Ron drained the rest of his tea, his blue eyes twinkling.

“Besides, it only happened one time,” Harry said, not yet ready to let this go. “And she was really tired from studying all night...”

“I believe you,” Ron snorted, hiding his laughter.

“Yeah, you sound like you do,” Harry retorted. “We were talking about you, anyway. How did this end up on me?”

“I don’t know...” Ron was still trying to snort down his laughter. “Maybe I should ask Hermione... when she’s awake that is...”

“Very funny,” Harry said, sitting down at the table. “I remember you nearly blinding Luna that date I set up for the two of you by the lake...remember that?”

“All right, point taken,” Ron replied.

Harry grinned. He watched as Ron grabbed a tin of biscuits from the cabinet. “Help yourself, Ron. Those are Hermione’s by the way.”

“Okay,” Ron munched away happily. “I am starving. I didn’t have a chance to grab lunch.”

“Somehow I don’t think she’ll understand,” Harry said, shaking his head. “Those are her favourites. She doesn’t even let me have any.”

“I’m a guest,” Ron said, dropping crumbs onto the tabletop.

“Who is quickly overstaying his welcome,” Harry quipped.

“Hey thanks a lot,” Ron said, frowning. “I haven’t been over here in ages!”

“You were over here two nights ago,” Harry reminded him. “Don’t you remember? We ordered pizza...Hermione and I had maybe two slices and you had the rest.”

“Oh yeah,” Ron replied as both men heard the front door open.

“If you value your life, put the biscuits back,” Harry whispered quickly to his friend.

Ron didn’t have time to move as they heard Hermione drop her bag in the hallway. “Hello?” she called out.

“In here,” Harry called back.

Hermione was smiling when she came in. “I thought you wouldn’t be back until late, love,” she said. Her eyes travelled to Ron and her smile died. “What are you doing with my biscuits?” she demanded.

“Nuffing,” Ron mumbled his mouth still full.

She snatched the bag away, Harry leaning back with an amused smile. “There’s only one left!” she cried.

“Harry said it was okay,” Ron said, quickly swallowing.

“I did not!” Harry said quickly. “I tried to stop him! He wouldn’t listen. You know how he is!”

“Yes, unfortunately I do,” Hermione dropped the bag on the table. “You should consider yourself lucky, Weasley for I happen to be in an extremely good mood today and therefore you will not be punished.” Her eyes narrowed. “But if you ever touch those biscuits in this house again... you’ll be sporting a tail and fuzzy ears for the rest of your life.”

Ron gulped as Harry mouthed “I told you so” behind Hermione.

“Why are you in such a good mood?” Harry asked, getting up from his chair and pecking her on the cheek.

Hermione grinned and disappeared back into the hallway, coming back a moment later with a piece of paper. “Full marks,” she said excitedly. “Furthermore, this has put me completely back on top of the class!”

“Congratulations!” Harry said, picking her up and swinging her around. “That’s my girl!”

Hermione hugged him tightly. “I didn’t think you would be here,” she kissed him quickly on the lips. “But I’m glad you are so I could share my news.”

“I am too,” Harry said grinning at her. “They let us go early today. But it’s another 3 a.m. start tomorrow.”

“Awww...” Hermione frowned. “I don’t like this new schedule.”

“What the bloody hell do they have you there for at three am?” Ron asked.

“I have no idea,” Harry replied. “Neville and I think it has something to do with sleep deprivation as a form of torture.”

“And what exactly made you want to go into this profession?” Ron grilled.

“I ask myself that everyday,” Harry said with a laugh. “And when I come up with an answer, I’ll let you know.”

Hermione made a noise and hugged him again. “And they keep bloody sending him and Neville out to different places as well. I’m surprised you guys managed to get that week off during the time when Cho is due to give birth.” She said to both him and Ron.

“We sure lucked out with that,” Harry said. “Hell, I don’t really care why they gave us the time off, I’m just glad we got it.”

“Well at least after Thursday you’re on holiday,” Hermione said, her arms still firmly around his neck.

“Do you mind?” Ron asked, rolling his eyes. “I just finished eating.”

“MY biscuits,” Hermione glared at him.

“Yeah, right,” Ron said sheepishly. “They were quite good, Hermione.”

“You owe me a new bag,” Hermione said sternly.

“I didn’t eat the whole bag,” Ron pointed out. “There’s still one left.”

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him. “Don’t get cute with me Ronald Weasley,” she said and Harry began to laugh.

“I’ll buy you a new bag,” Ron said hoping that this would appease Hermione. “Maybe I should just go...”

“That sounds good,” Harry said shamelessly letting his hand wander up the back of Hermione’s shirt.

Ron covered his eyes with his hands. “Okay, okay! I’m going.”

Harry could have sworn he muttered something that sounded suspiciously like ‘rabbits’ as he left, closing the front door behind him. “Well at least now I can properly show you how proud I am of you,” He grinned.

Hermione frowned. “Oh, Harry. I’d really like to, but I promised Gordon I’d meet him for coffee. He’s going home tomorrow for Christmas and he wanted to...What’s that look for?”

“Nothing,” Harry replied. “But you don’t even have time to kiss me?”

“Of course. I always have time for that,” Hermione said grinning as she pressed her lips to his.

Harry kept her there for several minutes longer than she probably had intended before letting her go. “I’m going to try and kip,” he said. “But wake me up when you get back later will you?”

“I will,” she said, touching his cheek affectionately. “I’ll probably stop by the shops on my way home and pick up some groceries, we’re running dangerously low...thanks to Ron.”

“Yeah I offered him something to drink and we’re out of butterbeer,” Harry replied. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as he kissed her again. “Love you,”

“Love you,” she echoed. She followed Harry out of the kitchen and toward the door. She laughed as he helped her on with her cloak. With her eyes twinkling she said, “I’d get lots of sleep if I were you...”

“Oh and why’s that Granger?” he asked, grinning cockily.

Hermione giggled. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

*** *** ***

“Another store?” Harry whined. “Come on Hermione… we’re not going to find anything for your dad here. Let’s go back to Harrods and get something there!” He and Hermione had left the wizarding world behind to find Christmas gifts for her parents. It was the last spare moment of time either one of them had until the holiday- the next day was Cho and Neville’s wedding and a few days after that it would be Christmas.

Hermione sighed. She would have been as frustrated as him, usually. Normally, she didn’t care too much for shopping, but Christmas was different. She liked being around all the people and seeing all the decorations. Her boyfriend, though, hadn’t exactly shared her mood. Yes, it was cold and yes, she’d dragged him in and out of about a dozen shops, but it was Christmas after all.

“Are you going to complain the rest of the day?” she asked teasingly. “Where’s your Christmas spirit?”

“I had it the first seven shops we went into,” Harry replied sullenly. “And then I lost it somewhere between Westminster and Knightsbridge.”

Despite herself, Hermione couldn’t help laughing. “Okay. How about a compromise? After this shop, we can go and get some hot cocoa? How does that sound?”

Harry grabbed her gloved hand. “That sounds better,” he agreed.

“I still think you’re just mad because that little boy in the toy shop stomped on your toe,” Hermione said, laughing.

“It seems, Ms. Granger, that you forget I enjoy dancing. If my feet are injured, I don’t dance.” Harry replied.

“He barely stepped on your foot,” Hermione pointed out.

Harry patted her head. “It’s okay Hermione,” he said sufferingly as if she were five years old. “You can’t possibly understand what it’s like to be a real dancer and have people step on your feet.”

Hermione glared at him. “Note to self...return Harry’s Christmas present.”

He was the one laughing now. “And what was that you were just thinking? Me being a bad sport?” Harry let go of her hand and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

Hermione giggled. “Yet another thing we have in common.”

“What, mind reading?” Harry nuzzled her neck above the pink Muggle coat she was wearing.

“Hermione!” a familiar voice called out to her. Hermione pulled abruptly away from Harry and turned to see Gordon striding over to them from the back of the shop.

“Gordon?” she asked. “What on earth are you doing here? I thought you went to your parents’ house for the holiday.”

“I was,” Gordon replied. “But they got called away on business so I came back here to London.”

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look. “I’m sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to going home.”

“It’s all right,” Gordon shrugged. “Good to see you Harry,” he nodded to the other man.

Harry unenthusiastically shook Gordon’s hand. “What have you been up to since the holidays started?” he asked, knowing it would make his girlfriend happy have him be nice, even if he disliked Gordon tremendously.

“Taking it easy,” Gordon answered. “I’ve actually been trying to get ahead on that book list our Charms professor gave us. Have you managed to get any of that done?”

Hermione gave him a sheepish smile. “Harry made me promise not to even think about studying the entire holiday.”

Gordon shook his head. “I would have thought you’d want to keep ahead of things.”

“She did,” Harry replied. “But we’re taking our first holiday together just having a good time and doing whatever the day takes us to do.”

Gordon looked at Potter and fought the urge to wipe that satisfied smug look off of his face.

“That’s nice, I suppose,” Gordon said. “But you really don’t want to get behind, do you Hermione?”

“Don’t worry about me,” Hermione said reassuringly. “I’ll be okay. Besides, the professor did say it was optional reading.”

“Optional is always their way of saying required,” Gordon replied.

“I hadn’t thought about that,” Hermione said pulling a worried face. “Do you really think I’ll be that behind?”

“Of course you won’t,” Harry said, putting his arm around her shoulders again. “Besides, you’ll have plenty of time to read after I go out of town,” he grinned at her.

“She really should do some reading,” Gordon said, not letting the issue go. “You don’t want to have your marks drop again, do you, Hermione?”

“Of course, not,” Hermione replied. “But Harry’s right. I’ll be able to catch up once he’s in Madrid.”

Harry couldn’t stop the smirk that played about his lips. “We should really get going Hermione,” he said. “We’ve got to get that gift for your dad and we have to go home and get ready for rehearsal tonight.”

Seeing his opening, Gordon decided to go for it. “Rehearsal?” Gordon asked. “Your friends are getting married, right?”

“That they are,” Harry answered. “Tomorrow is their big day.”

Hermione looked at Gordon and she knew how hard it must be on him to be away from his family during the holidays. Her heart went out to him. An idea came to her suddenly and she looked at Gordon.

“Would you excuse Harry and me for just a moment?” she asked. “I need to talk to him about something.”

Gordon nodded and watched as Hermione led I a few feet away.

“Harry?” Hermione asked, keeping her voice down so Gordon wouldn’t hear. “I have something to ask you.”

“What is it?” Harry asked.

“Do you think Cho would mind if I asked Gordon to the reception?” Hermione asked. “I wouldn’t ask him to the ceremony because I know they wanted to keep that private, but don’t you think it’d be okay to ask him to the reception afterwards?”

Harry didn’t know what he was expecting her to ask but it certainly wasn’t that. “Ask Gordon to Neville and Cho’s wedding reception?” he repeated.

“You heard him,” Hermione said. “He’s going to be all alone for the holiday. What would it hurt to have him at the reception? No one should be alone during Christmas.”

“You’d have to ask Cho or Neville,” Harry said, clearly uncomfortable with the idea.

“I’m sure they wouldn’t mind,” Hermione said. “Besides, they’ll be too wrapped up in each other to care about who’s there.”

“Well... you can ask him if you want,” Harry replied, glancing furtively at the other man. “I don’t want any part in it though.”

“If you’re worried about him showing you up on the dance floor, you needn’t worry at all,” Hermione said, trying to make him smile. “He has two left feet, Harry.”

“It’s not that...” Harry sighed. “It’s nothing...” he didn’t want to bring about the whole Gordon argument, especially right before Christmas.

“Okay,” Hermione said, taking his hand. “If you don’t want me to ask him, I won’t. But, he’s my friend, Harry. He’s helped me out so much this past term and I feel like it’s the least I could do.”

“If you feel like you want to ask him, then ask.” Harry replied.

Hermione beamed at him. “Have I told you today how much I love you?”

Harry smiled back at her. “Not in the past few hours you haven’t.”

Gordon tried not to watch Harry and Hermione talking, but he couldn’t help it. He wished he could hear what they were saying, but whatever it was, it sounded serious. Harry obviously wasn’t happy with something Hermione was saying. Any joy he felt at them having a disagreement was quelled when he saw Hermione stand on her tiptoes and kiss Potter.

Gordon glared at the two of them. Unfortunately, Potter caught him looking. Gordon realized he had to do something to throw him off.

“Gordon,” Hermione said as they came back over by him. “Would you be interested in coming to the reception tomorrow evening? I’m sure Cho and Neville wouldn’t mind having you there.”

“That’s awfully nice of you, Hermione,” Gordon said, seeing that Harry looked less than thrilled at this prospect. “But I couldn’t possibly impose...”

“Nonsense,” Hermione replied. “It’s going to be fun- they’ve rented out a room at a great Italian restaurant, there will be dancing, even though I know you’re not much of a dancer and some great food...”

Gordon smiled. “When you put it that way, how could I refuse?” He laughed as Hermione gave him a warm hug. “I, um, wonder if it would be alright if I brought a date along?” Gordon asked, as he reluctantly let go of Hermione.

Neither Harry nor Hermione could mask their surprise. “When did you start dating someone?” she asked.

Gordon quickly searched his mind for someone he could ask. He remembered a cashier at Flourish & Blotts who flirted with him every time he came in the store. He’d never paid her any mind because he only had eyes for Hermione, but she could definitely come in handy in a situation like this.

“Just recently,” Gordon answered. “She works at Flourish & Blotts. Actually gives me a little discount every time I go in there. We started talking and it kind of built from there.”

“That’s so sweet,” Hermione smiled. “What do you think Harry- think Cho or Neville will mind?”

“Probably not,” Harry answered, still suspicious. “We should really make sure tonight at the rehearsal.”

“Sure,” Hermione said. “Gordon, I’ll give you a ring tonight after the rehearsal and let you know.”

“Okay,” Gordon said with a smile. “And thanks again, Hermione. I really appreciate it.”

“Sure,” Hermione beamed at him again. “We should really get going now though. I’m so glad you’re going to come!”

“Me, too,” Gordon said, giving her a goodbye hug.

Harry grabbed her hand as they left the shop. Hermione was practically skipping along the pavement as he pulled her into Harrods.

“Isn’t that great about Gordon?” Hermione asked. “I’m so glad he’s found someone. He really is a great guy.”

“Right, a great guy,” Harry repeated as they went into the section where the teas and jam were shelved.

“Not as great as my guy,” Hermione said, smiling at him over a display of gift baskets.

Harry couldn’t stop his grin. “I love you,” he whispered gruffly in her ear as he hugged her from behind.

Hermione wrapped her arm around his neck. “This is going to be the best Christmas ever, you realise that, right?”

“It already has been,” he kissed her cheek.

18. Chapter 18

A/N: Hello everyone, just another note thanking you all for your fantastic reviews! Your comments REALLY mean a lot to both of us! We did some review replies last night as well (can’t have Sims 2 making us completely lazy can we).

Also, Heaven passed word on to our story artist Alexa about everyone’s comments and she’s really excited that most of you liked her drawings! We say for a 15 year old she’s a pretty fantastic artist! A few of you said you like Gwendy’s art better, and we love it too, but she’s a busy girl and we can’t be bugging her for fanart all the time- right now she’s doing contest prizes for her website!

In any case, please enjoy this chapter as it’s a fun, and pretty fluffy one!

Luna and Cho stood just outside the Ministry chapel. The heavy wooden doors were shut, but both girls could hear the faint sounds of music coming from inside. Luna handed Cho her bouquet of white Casablanca lilies.

“Nervous?” Luna asked smoothing down her own light blue dress robes.

“Horribly,” Cho replied. “Are my robes okay?”

“You look beautiful,” Luna said, winking at her.

“Thanks,” Cho said in relief. “You know... I really wish my parents could be here to see me. I always thought they’d be disappointed to see that I’ve become pregnant and not really doing anything with my life, but now that I’ve got Neville... things have looked up so much.”

Luna smiled and helped Cho pull her veil down over her face. “Your parents would have been very proud of you. They would have admired how much you’ve gone through and how you came through it stronger than ever,” she said softly. “Look at me, the wedding hasn’t even started and I’m already tearing up. Good thing Lavender insisted on waterproof mascara, huh?”

“Tell me about it,” Cho nearly whimpered. “As if I’m not enough of a mess already...”

From behind them, Harry cleared his throat and both girls turned around startled.

“Harry?” Cho asked a confused expression on her face. “What on earth are you doing out here? You should be up front with Neville! The ceremony’s about to begin!”

“You look amazing,” Harry said softly, reaching for her hand. “Luna can you give us a minute?”

“Sure,” Luna said, nodding.

Harry watched her go. “Lavender really did a bang-up job on those robes.” He turned her around. “I can’t even tell you’re pregnant in them.”

Cho smiled. “Thank you, but you should really get inside, Harry. You’re the best man, after all.”

“Well...” Harry gave her a somewhat nervous smile. “I thought perhaps... and if you don’t want to its fine... but I thought since your parents aren’t around to see this and your dad can’t give you away... that I would as your best friend.”

Cho didn’t know what to say. She felt fresh tears come to her eyes as she looked at the young man who had been such a big part of her life for such a long time. “I’d love that,” she whispered.

“Great,” Harry wiped away her tears with his thumb. “Come on gorgeous... let’s get you to your soon to be husband.” He hugged her tightly.

Cho grinned. “I’m actually getting married, aren’t I?” she asked.

“It’s time,” Luna said, coming back into the corridor. “Ready?”

“Ready,” Cho said, taking Harry’s proffered arm. They stepped back as Luna gave Cho a quick hug before taking her place in front of them.

The double doors opened up and Luna slowly walked down the aisle. As she did so, she caught Ron’s eye who smiled broadly at her. Her heart leapt at the sight of him and she couldn’t help beaming back at him.

Harry felt Cho start to breathe more rapidly as the music swelled again. “Relax love,” he murmured. “It’s just friends in there remember? And Neville’s waiting for you.”

“Right,” Cho said, exhaling. She hadn’t expected to be this nervous, but now that the moment had arrived, she felt absolutely petrified. Those nervous feelings seemed to melt away when she caught sight of Neville at the end of the aisle. “I’m ready,” she said smiling at Harry.

Neville nearly passed out from holding his breath as he watched his bride walk towards him on Harry’s arm. He had actually managed to get Dumbledore to officiate the ceremony and the old wizard was standing next to him.

Dumbledore gave him a gentle poke as if to remind him to breathe as Cho and Harry finally finished the walk down the aisle.

Harry squeezed Cho’s hand as Neville stepped closer. “She’s all yours now,” Harry said grinning at his friend.

“Thanks,” Neville whispered back as Harry moved off to the side. He took Cho’s trembling hand in his and they stood before Dumbledore.

Harry caught Hermione’s eye as Dumbledore began the wedding with a small speech. He’d always had a rather special relationship with the Hogwarts headmaster and couldn’t wait to introduce his girlfriend to his mentor after the ceremony was over.

The periwinkle robes she wore that had been a present from Lavender looked amazing on her. Hermione was also wearing the diamond necklace and earrings that he had given her, which complimented her upswept hair.

As the ceremony moved onto the vows, Harry let his eyes wander again to the back of the room. There was a figure sitting in the corner in the very back row, wearing robes of dark blue. His glance must have been noticed by Ron, as the redhead was also looking behind them.

Ron followed Harry’s gaze and turned around to see Neville’s grandmother. Ron wondered how she’d even found out about it, as he’d been under the impression that she hadn’t spoken to Neville since that disastrous dinner party. Her expression was unreadable and Ron wondered what she thought of all of this. Did it mean she was finally beginning to accept her grandson was a grown man? Was she finally ready to accept Cho into her family?

“I do,” Neville said his voice strong and clear as he slid the matching band over Cho’s finger. She smiled at him from under the veil as she started to repeat her vows.

Cho’s eyes were fixed on Neville’s as she slowly said her vows. Her voice broke only once when she placed the wedding band on Neville’s finger and said, “I do.”

“Then by the power in me invested by the Ministry for Magic and the Wizengamot, I now pronounce you husband and wife,” Dumbledore smiled as Neville lifted Cho’s veil and gazed adoringly at her. “You may kiss your bride,” he added, his eyes twinkling.

Their friends stood and applauded heartily as Neville leaned in and softly kissed his wife.

Harry looked to the back of the room to see Mrs. Longbottom give her grandson one last look before quietly walking out. He cast a confused look at Ron who shrugged his shoulders but rose along with the rest of them.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Dumbledore said, putting an arm around Neville and Cho. “May I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Neville Longbottom.”

Harry clapped even harder as he grinned at them. “Congratulations, you...” he hugged Cho. “It wasn’t as bad as you thought was it?”

“Not at all,” Cho agreed happily. “This was the best day of my life.”

“As it should be,” Harry was pushed aside by Hermione and Luna.

“That was the most romantic wedding I’ve ever seen,” Hermione gushed, hugging her friend. “And you had to be the most beautiful bride.”

“Thank you Hermione,” Cho hugged her back. “You look gorgeous too!”

Neville joined Harry, Ron and Seamus as they watched the girls huddled together, talking animatedly to each other. “We’ve been married less than two minutes and I’ve already lost my wife to her friends,” Neville said laughing.

Harry clapped him on the shoulder. “Get used to it mate,” he said.

“So, which one of you will be next?” Neville asked, raising an eyebrow at his friends.

Harry raised his hands. “Don’t look at me,” he joked. “Hermione and I are perfectly happy with the way things are going.”

“Same with me and Lavender,” Seamus replied.

“When do we eat?” Ron asked uncomfortably, when his friends’ eyes fell on him. They all laughed as the group of women moved over, Neville immediately wrapping his arms around his new wife.

Harry did the same to his girlfriend, who still looked as if she had stars in her eyes. “Like all this love?” he asked.

“Oh yes,” Hermione smiled at him. “Cho was a gorgeous bride, and Lavender did a wonderful job on those robes.”

“She did great on yours too,” Harry eyed her shapely figure appreciatively. “Come here,” he pulled on her hand. “There’s someone I want you to meet.” He led her over to Dumbledore.

Hermione felt a bit nervous as saw in whose direction they were heading. She attributed her nervousness to meeting someone so important to Harry, but she also knew part of it was because of who Albus Dumbledore was. Over the years, she’d read quite a bit about him, but never dreamed she’d get the chance to meet him.

“Professor,” Harry said. “It’s really good to see you sir.”

“As it is to see you, Harry,” Dumbledore replied warmly, shaking Harry’s hand.

Hermione made a small squeaking sound and Harry grinned at her. “Professor... I’d like you to meet someone very important to me,” he pushed Hermione forward a little. “This is my girlfriend, Hermione Granger.”

She uttered another squeaking sound as the kindly old wizard shook her hand. “Pleased to meet you,” Hermione finally said.

“The pleasure is all mine,” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. “Madam Maxime tells me that you are the brightest witch of your generation.”

Hermione’s eyebrows went up. “You’ve heard about me?” she asked.

“Of course,” Dumbledore replied. “And not just from Harry, I have it on good authority from some of your professors at university that you’re one to keep an eye on.”

Harry grinned. “Hermione’s going to be a future candidate for Minister for Magic,” he said proudly.

Hermione was still awestruck by the realization that Albus Dumbledore knew who she was. She felt herself blushing as I rattled off her accomplishments to Dumbledore.

“Goodness, you make me sound like some sort of goddess,” she had turned a deep red colour.

“Well you are pretty damn close to perfect,” Harry said. Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled at her.

“And of course your young man isn’t biased at all, is he?” Dumbledore said, laughing. He was glad that after all the tragedy that Harry had to endure in his life, he’d obviously found what he’d been looking for in this young woman. “You’ll have to bring Hermione by the school some time soon, Harry.”

“I’d love to,” Harry said. “That is of course if you’d like to make a day trip up to Hogwarts...” he looked at her.

“Would I?” Hermione asked. “I’d love to go.”

Dumbledore laughed heartily. “Perhaps we could enlighten her about some of that troublemaking you and Mr. Weasley used to get into?”

Harry laughed as well. “We did have quite a knack for that sort of thing,” he looked at Hermione. “You wouldn’t believe some of the tales we could tell you.”

“Been holding out on me, have you?” Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow at him. “Funny how they left all that out in the history books.”

“It’s all been glorified,” Harry said with a straight face. Dumbledore smiled at him.

“They do seem to leave all the more interesting details out,” Dumbledore agreed. The three of them exchanged a few more pleasantries and then the happy couple came into the room fresh from having photographs taken. Dumbledore excused himself when Cho called out to him to get in one of the pictures.

“I can’t believe I actually met Albus Dumbledore,” Hermione said, shaking her head. “Albus Dumbledore.”

Harry laughed. “You weren’t so star struck when you met me,” he pushed his lower lip out.

“I couldn’t even remember my name when I met you,” Hermione said, blushing.

Harry snickered. “That’s right...” he remembered.

Hermione watched as a positively radiant Cho kissed Neville on the cheek for the photographer. “I’ve never seen her look so happy,” Hermione remarked.

“Tell me about it,” Harry agreed his arm firmly in place around her. “They really bring out the best in one another. I can’t believe they were friends so long and never realised they were in love.”

“That’s how most great relationships start,” Hermione pointed out. She wouldn’t have changed a minute of her time at Beauxbatons. She’d received a great education at a prestigious school, but she wondered how it would have been if she’d gone to Hogwarts. Would she have been sorted into Gryffindor? Would she and Harry have been friends? Would they have one day thought of each other as more than friends? But, she thought as Harry smiled at her, none of that mattered. They were together now.

*** *** ***

Nearly an hour later, Neville helped Cho into the Ministry car that Ron’s dad helped procure for the happy couple. The rest of their guests had apparated long ago to the restaurant, but with her condition, she had to travel the Muggle way.

As Neville slid in to the backseat beside her, Cho smiled at him. “We do have a reception to get to, Mr. Longbottom,” she said, giggling.

“I think we could warrant a little private time, Mrs. Longbottom,” Neville grinned at his wife.

“That has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?” she asked happily.

“That it does,” Neville stole a kiss. “And may I tell you again how absolutely stunning you look today?”

“You may,” she said, resting her head on his shoulder. “If I can tell you how handsome you look today. I was so nervous before the ceremony began. But, it all faded away when I saw you at the end of the aisle waiting for me. I just felt like everything would be okay because you were there.”

Neville hugged her as the car slid away from the Ministry. “Guess what Harry and Ron told me?” he asked quietly.

“What?” Cho asked. “With the two of them, I’m not sure I want to know.”

“No... It’s not like that,” Neville replied. “They said my Gran was sitting in the back of the room while we took our vows.”

Cho lifted her head from his shoulder. “Your grandmother? She was there?”

“Apparently so,” Neville replied. “I didn’t see her so she must have ducked out before the ceremony was over. But Harry said he saw her as Dumbledore started and so did Ron.”

Cho didn’t know what to make of this and she could see that Neville didn’t either. “How did she know about the ceremony?”

“I have no clue,” Neville replied. “I haven’t talked to her since the day I went back for my things.”

Cho looked thoughtful for a few moments. “Your grandmother means a lot to you doesn’t she?” she asked finally.

“She does,” Neville replied. “She’s raised me ever since I was very young... but she also thinks she can control every aspect of my life. Now that you’re my wife and we’re going to have a baby soon... I have to take control myself.”

“And you have,” Cho said, taking his hand. “And I’m very proud of you.”

“Thank you,” Neville leaned in to kiss her again. “I love you.”

“Mmm,” Cho said, stroking his cheek. “I love you too.”

“So can I ask you something and have you answer me, honestly?” Neville teased after they’d kissed for several minutes.

Cho looked bemusedly at him. “Okay...?”

“Are you angry at the fact that you and I aren’t going to be intimate until after the baby is born?” Neville asked softly.

“I was actually thinking of asking you the same thing,” she said. “But since you asked me first, I’ll answer you. I’m not angry. Disappointed, maybe, but not angry. And I’m a firm believer that good things come to those who wait. It’ll be all that much more special when it actually happens.”

“Good,” Neville replied. “I know technically we can still make love... but I’d rather it be when you’re not pregnant.”

“I totally agree,” Cho said, nodding. “We’ll just have to postpone the honeymoon for awhile.”

“Maybe once our little one is able to survive on a bottle, we can go on an overnight somewhere,” Neville said.

“We could get one of the godfathers to volunteer to baby sit,” Cho suggested.

“Harry and Hermione have offered to sit a few times,” Neville said thoughtfully. “I’m sure they wouldn’t mind later next year once the baby is a little more independent...”

“He’s been talking big about being able to handle it,” Cho interjected. “I say we let him go with it as soon as he shoots off at the mouth about it again. See how easy he thinks it’s going to be. I’d almost want to stay behind just to watch it.”

Neville laughed as he put his hand on her stomach. “It’s amazing how Lavender was able to hide your pregnancy with these. I can’t get over it!”

“I know,” Cho agreed. “Still think we’re having a little girl, do you?”

“Maybe,” Neville smiled at her. “We have less than a month until we find out.”

“I can’t believe it,” Cho said happily. “We’re going to be a family.”

“We already are a family,” Neville corrected her.

“We are, aren’t we?” Cho asked, grinning. She looked over Neville’s shoulder and saw the car pulling up to the restaurant. “We’re here.”

Neville waited until the Ministry official opened the door for him. He thanked the man as he got out and held up his hand for his new wife. She took it rather gracefully and he kissed her one more time. “Who knows what they have planned for us in there,” Neville murmured.

“With that lot there’s no telling,” Cho agreed as they walked toward the front door. As they walked closer toward the restaurant, Cho could hear the faint sound of music coming from inside. “Sounds as if they didn’t wait for us,” Cho said with a laugh.

“Rotting buggers,” Neville was smiling so she knew he didn’t mean it. “This has already been the best day of my life you know,” he said, about to push the doors open.

“Mine, too,” Cho agreed happily.

“Are you ready?” he asked, her hand tightly grasped inside his.

“I think so,” Cho said as they stepped inside the restaurant. Cho gasped at how the Italian restaurant had been transformed. Harry had told her that he’d managed to rent the place for the whole evening. Most of the tables were cleared away to create a large dance floor. There were a lot more people here than at the ceremony. Cho recognised a few of their classmates from Hogwarts as well as Madam Malkin, some of Neville’s fellow Auror trainees, and a few employees from Hillsdale.

“You guys...” Neville started but they were suddenly showered with a mixture of rice and confetti.

“Congratulations!” the crowd roared.

“Where did everyone come from?” Cho asked Harry, who stepped up to give her a hug. “You said it was just going to small just like the ceremony!”

“I guess the word spread,” he kissed the side of her forehead as Neville shook the rice from his hair.

“I guess!” Neville still wore his smile. “Ah well- the more the merrier right?”

Cho noticed Gordon standing back from the crowd talking to a pretty brunette girl who seemed to be focused on every word he was saying. “Who’s that with Gordon?” she whispered into Harry’s ear.

“Apparently she’s his date, Skylar. He says he met her at Flourish and Blotts,” Harry replied.

“His date?” Cho asked smiling as someone clapped her on the back as they passed by. “Well, that’s good news, isn’t it?”

“I hope so,” Harry replied.

“What’s this, Potter?” Neville asked, coming to stand beside them. “Trying to monopolize my wife already?”

“Neville,” Cho teased. “We’ve only been married about two hours and you’ve called me ‘your wife’ how many times now?”

“Your wife loves talking to me,” Harry grinned. “Your wife is also my best friend and—“

“...she needs to sit down because her feet are killing her,” Cho interjected.

“Right,” Neville dashed quickly for a chair and Cho sat gratefully. “Sorry love.”

“Would you look at that?” Cho asked, scanning the room and catching sight of Ron and Luna, who seemed to be having a good time together.

“Yeah,” Harry grinned as Hermione joined them. “He asked her to come as friends and she said yes- now they haven’t left each other’s side since we got here.”

“I imagine that they’ll be back together before the night is over,” Cho said, looking as Luna laughed heartily at something Ron had said. “Weddings do that to people, you know?”

“Tell me about it,” Harry slid his arm over Hermione’s shoulders.

Neville and Cho exchanged amused looks. “So, our wedding making you think, too, huh Harry?” Neville asked, winking at Hermione.

Harry narrowed his eyes slightly. “Hey, you aren’t getting anywhere with that one. Hermione and I have already talked about this.” He hugged her tighter as she laughed.

“Don’t worry, Hermione,” Cho said conspiratorially. “I’ll make sure to aim right for you when I throw the bouquet.”

“Thanks Cho,” Hermione stroked the back of her boyfriend’s nape. “But I think Luna or possibly even Lavender might trample me to get their hands on it.”

“Why do you girls do that?” Neville asked. “I remember a wedding I went to when I was a kid ...these girls practically killed each other to get the bouquet! The girl who caught it was hit with three bat-bogey hexes. It was quite scary actually.”

Hermione bit her lower lip, trying hard not to laugh. “It’s all silly,” she said. “You know the old tale about the girl who catches the bouquet will be the next to get married...”

“There’s actually a wager going on between everyone about that very thing,” Luna said, coming up to join them with Ron in tow. “Dean Thomas was talking about it just now.”

“Oh yeah?” Harry asked. “What are the odds here?”

“You and Hermione are the odds-on favourites,” Luna said smiling at them.

“You hear that?” Harry nudged her.

“If that’s your way of proposing, I’d say it needs some work,” Hermione said laughing.

“You’d know if I was proposing,” Harry said.

“Would I?” Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow.

Ron interrupted them. “Much as we’d all love yet another glimpse at the wild romance the two of you have going, I’d much rather get pissed and have a good time at Cho and Neville’s expense.” He lifted his glass of champagne.

“Here, here,” Luna seconded. “To the happy couple!”

“I’d love to toast you love, but I haven’t even had a chance to get a drink yet,” Neville said.

“Problem solved,” Harry said, stopping a waiter and grabbing a flute of champagne for Neville and handing it to him. “And for the bride...?” Harry asked looking at Cho who looked enviously at the champagne.

“Just pumpkin juice,” she sighed. “Only another month until I can have champagne again...”

“Ron will probably drink enough for the both of you,” Luna said, hitting Ron playfully on the arm.

Ron grinned at her. “You say that like it’s a bad thing,” he said, sliding his hand over her waist.

“That all depends,” she said flirtatiously.

Harry raised his eyebrow at Neville. “Think we should find them a closet?”

“You shouldn’t talk,” Neville replied. “I’m surprised you and Hermione came up for air long enough to get here.”

“We can’t snog when we’re Apparating otherwise we’d still be back at the Ministry,” Harry said. “Smartass,”

“I’m sure you made up for it when you got here, though, didn’t you?” Neville asked.

“Maybe,” Hermione answered. “But that’s only while you and Cho were snogging in your car during your ride here,” she smiled sweetly.

“We’re newlyweds,” Cho pointed out. “We’re supposed to do stuff like that.”

“You’ve got a good point there,” Luna smiled. “Are you hungry Cho? Can I get you anything other than juice right now?”

“I’d consider naming the baby after you if you’d get me something to eat,” Cho said gratefully. “Something incredibly delicious and fattening.”

Luna laughed. “Coming right up,” she turned to leave and Ron followed behind her like a lost puppy.

“He is so whipped,” Harry shook his head.

“I think it’s sweet,” Hermione said.

“You would,” Harry replied.

“I seem to remember a certain someone telling me at Hogwarts that he didn’t see himself settling down until he was old and grey. Now, look at him...living with a girl. Seems to me as if you might just be whipped, too, right Harry?” Cho asked with her eyes twinkling at her best friend.

Hermione laughed as she moved over onto his lap. “Seems like I’ve tamed the wild beast have I?” she kissed him lightly.

“Completely,” Harry said gladly, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer.

*** *** ***

Later in the evening after everyone had eaten, most people were standing around talking or dancing. Gordon wasn’t having much fun. It was torture to watch Hermione sit beside Potter throughout dinner and now he was forced to watch them dance. Skylar was nice enough, but she wasn’t Hermione. He knew she wanted to dance, but he didn’t want to. At least not with her, anyway. He wanted to dance with the beautiful girl who was currently dancing with Harry Potter and looked to be having the time of her life.

Hermione laughed as Harry dipped her down, bringing her back up easily. “We don’t get to do this nearly enough,” she wrapped her arms back around his neck.

“No we don’t,” Harry said winking at her. “We’ll have to do something about that, won’t we?”

“Long as it doesn’t cut into our other... private time,” Hermione whispered in his ear.

Harry laughed. “I can assure you nothing will ever cut into that.”

“Good,” Hermione smiled as he held her closer. They were so wrapped up in one another that they didn’t see Gordon approaching them.

He cleared his throat and grimaced as Potter nuzzled Hermione’s neck. Impatiently, he tapped on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry, annoyed that someone was interrupting them, turned around. “Yes?” he asked, masking his impatience with the other man.

Gordon gave both of them a charming smile. “I was wondering if I might cut in?”

Harry nearly gaped at him. “Doesn’t your date want to dance with you?” he asked bluntly.

“Harry,” Hermione said chidingly, touching his arm.

“Sorry,” Harry muttered. “If you want to,” he looked at his girlfriend.

“I assure you, I’ve gotten much better since we last danced,” Gordon said, pushing past Harry and offering his hand to Hermione.

“All right,” she smiled. “Just one or two, love.” Hermione leaned over and kissed Harry’s cheek.

“I really want to thank you for inviting Skylar and me,” Gordon said, as he put his hands on Hermione’s waist. He wanted so badly to turn around and see the look on Potter’s face, but he knew that wouldn’t be a good idea.

“Oh it’s no trouble,” Hermione replied, keeping the proper distance away from him as she led them around the room. “Neither Cho nor Neville minded and it’s good to spend time with you out of class.”

“I agree,” Gordon said. “So...I know I’m no Harry Potter on the dance floor, but how do I rate?”

“You’re not bad,” she laughed. “Mind you, before Harry gave me lessons I was definitely nothing to speak of out here either.”

Gordon felt anger rising in him. Why did she have to bring up Potter when he was holding her in his arms like this? “He was a great teacher then,” Gordon said, forcing himself to say something nice. “Because you’re fabulous at this.”

“He was most definitely a great teacher,” Hermione smiled softly at Harry, who was currently talking to Lavender over Gordon’s shoulder.

Lavender was actually doing most of the talking. In fact, since Harry had come over to join her and Seamus, he hadn’t said much at all. Seamus had excused himself to get her a refill on her drink.

“Harry?” she asked, following his gaze and spotting her cousin and Gordon. She waved her hand in front of Harry in an effort to get his attention. “Harry...”

“What?” Harry shook his head. “Sorry...”

“I still can’t believe he actually came here,” Lavender said shaking her head. “The only person he really knows is Hermione...”

“She was the one who invited him. Felt sorry for him since he went home and his parents went out of town on business for the holiday,” Harry answered.

“I’m sure he played it up for her benefit, too,” Lavender commented dryly.

“So you don’t like him either?” Harry asked. “I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him.”

“Neither do I,” Lavender agreed. “You should have seen at Beauxbatons. He was always doing something or the other so he could be around Hermione. I always thought he was a bit annoying really.”

“Hmm,” Harry said thoughtfully. “Yet she thinks he only wants her friendship.”

Lavender laughed knowingly. “She’s a bit blind where he’s concerned.”

“I wonder why she doesn’t see it and the rest of us do.” Harry glared as Gordon pulled Hermione closer.

Lavender looked thoughtfully in her cousin’s direction. “I don’t know. It’s so obvious...I mean, look at him. If he was any more smitten with her...”

“His date doesn’t look too happy with him either,” Harry pointed out.

Lavender looked a few tables down and saw the brunette sitting by herself staring at Gordon and Hermione. “I guess I’d be angry, too, if my date didn’t dance with me all night and asked someone else to dance,” Lavender mused.

“Tell me the truth,” Harry looked directly at her. “Have I really got anything to worry about from this bloke or is he harmless?”

“You mean as in competition?” Lavender asked confused. “Harry, Hermione loves you...”

“I know she does,” Harry said quickly. “But I don’t know a thing about this guy at all and I’m hoping you do.”

Lavender bit her bottom lip. “I’m sure he’s probably harmless, but...you know something that I’ve always wondered about him?”

“What?” Harry asked.

“No one really knew why he left school,” Lavender answered. “There were all sorts of rumours, of course, but the professors seemed to explain everything away by saying his father got a job somewhere else and they wanted their son to go to school near them, but something about it always seemed a bit strange to me. But, it’s probably nothing. You know how we all were in school...gossip, gossip, gossip.”

“Yeah,” Harry kept her words in the back of his head as the song finally came to an end and Hermione pulled herself away from Gordon. “Thanks Lav,” he smiled at the blonde.

“No problem,” Lavender said as Hermione walked toward them.

“There, that wasn’t so bad was it?” Hermione wrapped her arms around Harry’s waist.

“No,” Harry lied, forcing a smile.

She hugged him close. “I’d rather have been out there with you, you know that right?”

“Yeah,” Harry said relaxing. “But it’s nice to hear you say it.”

Hermione smiled as she raised herself up to kiss him. “Come on... I’m thirsty.” She tugged on his hands.

“Yeah,” Harry said, following her. “Let me get you pissed so I can have my way with you.”

Hermione laughed. “You don’t need me drunk to do that you know,” her eyes sparkled merrily at him.

“One of the many reasons I love you,” Harry replied, stealing a kiss.

*** *** **

“Do you want to dance?” Ron asked Luna, who was staring dreamily at their friends currently circling the floor.

“I’d love to dance,” Luna said eagerly. She accepted Ron’s hand, setting her glass of champagne on the table as he led her onto the dance floor. “At least this time it’s not the ballroom at Hillsdale with everyone watching,” she giggled.

“Aye, that’s for sure.” Ron replied, his hand sliding over her waist. “Although I do miss it sometimes… maybe not the ballroom part, but I liked teaching.”

Luna smiled at him. “That’s the part I miss too,” she said. A slower song started to play and instead of pulling away like Ron thought she would do, she rested her head on his chest.

He had to bite his lower lip rather hard to keep from grinning. Ron looked up and saw Harry giving him a thumbs up, Hermione in much the same position as Luna. He allowed himself to rest his cheek on her head, wrapping his arms tighter around her.

Luna let out a contented sigh. She was right back where she wanted to be, where she had wanted to be since she and Ron had broken up. His body was so warm and sturdy; Luna wanted to snuggle into him and not leave him ever again.

‘I love him so much,’ she thought. ‘I need him back in my life like before… I need him with me.’ Luna raised her head. “I’d like a bit of fresh air.” She said softly. “Want to go outside with me?”

“Sure,” Ron said instantly. He reached down for her hand and she gave it a squeeze.

As they left the restaurant, Ron’s heart started pounding, not in an unpleasant way, more of an excited thump. Things between them had been going better and better since the engagement party and they had been openly flirting with each other during the reception.

“Oooh…” Luna wrapped her arms around herself. “It’s gotten so cold!”

“Where’s your cloak?” Ron asked.

“I didn’t bring one,” Luna admitted. “I didn’t think I’d need it.”

Ron was going to give her his but had a better idea. “You can come under mine,” he offered, his grin a bit wicked.

Luna stared at him a moment, her face a bit pensive and for one awful second Ron thought she was going to go back inside. Then she smiled and came forward, wrapping the edge of his cloak around her. “That’s already better,” she murmured.

“That it is,” Ron hugged her tighter. “You know Luna… you really look gorgeous today. Don’t ever tell Cho this but I think you look even more beautiful than her.”

Luna laughed. “I don’t think anyone looks better than Cho does today. She’s positively glowing!”

Ron laughed as well. “I think I’m a bit biased is all,” he tucked a lock of her loose hair behind her ear. Her strands had started the day pulled up off her face but had fallen as she danced during the evening.

They stared at each other for a few minutes. “What are we doing Ron?” Luna asked her eyes dazed.

“I don’t know,” Ron replied. “I’m here with you that’s all I know.”

Luna smiled at him. “I’ve missed you,” she said softly.

“I’ve been right here,” Ron continued to stroke her hair.

“I mean us,” Luna replied. “Us being a couple,” she saw light spring into his blue eyes.

“You have?” he asked. “I have too…” he smiled sheepishly. “You know that though…”

“Yes,” she replied.

Ron rested his forehead on hers. “Luna…” he began but she put her finger to his lips.

“You don’t have to say it,” she whispered.

They were unconsciously drawing even closer to one another until their lips were barely a centimetre apart. “I need to kiss you,” Ron said softly.

“I need you to kiss me,” Luna replied, her eyes shining.

He didn’t waste another moment; Ron sealed his lips over hers, letting his cloak fall from around them as he pulled her as close as he possibly could.

Luna threw her arms around his neck, opening her mouth under his. Their kiss was passionate and a tear rolled down her cheek as she pulled away to take in a breath. “Why are you crying?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know,” she laughed as another few tears fell from her eyes. “I’m just so happy is all.”

“I am too,” Ron grinned. “So…” he wove their fingers together. “Does this mean… you and me are back together?”

“I should certainly hope so,” Luna leaned against him. “I love you Ron.”

“I love you, Luna.” Ron kissed her again. “Shall we go back inside?”

“In a few minutes,” Luna said. “I want you all to myself for just a little bit.”

Ron brought his cloak back around both of them. “That, you’ll always have,” he promised. This time he definitely wasn’t going to jeopardise things.

*** *** ***

“Okay everyone!” Cho called, her voice magnified so it could be heard over the din. “Where are all my single ladies in the room?” she laughed as several of them came forward. “It’s time for one of you to catch this thing!” she waved her toss bouquet (she had kept her real one) tantalizingly.

“Move out girls, this one’s mine,” Lavender declared competitively.

Hermione laughed as Harry whispered some tips to her as he pushed her out on the floor. “Once a seeker, always a seeker, huh?” she asked over her shoulder.

“Make me proud!” he called out to her.

Luna moved up on Lavender’s right side as Cho turned her back. “One... two... three!” she tossed the flowers high up behind her and turned around to see Hermione emerging victorious from the bottom of a pile of tangled limbs. “All right!” Cho laughed and clapped for her brown haired friend.

“I thought you said you didn’t want to catch it?” Lavender asked, as she stood up and brushed herself off.

“Didn’t you hear Harry?” Hermione asked flippantly. “I had to make him proud.” She squealed as the object of her affection hugged her from behind.

“That’s my girl,” Harry said, grinning widely.

“I still think it’s unfair,” Lavender pouted. “She was coached!”

“Awww,” Hermione grinned. “Being a poor sport Lav?”

“Oh shut it, Hermione,” Lavender said scowling, but she couldn’t help laughing herself at the spectacle they all must have just created. She hugged Seamus. “I nearly had it!”

“Aye it was pretty close,” Seamus kissed the side of her head.

“I would have had it if Luna wouldn’t have knocked me down,” Lavender said loudly as Luna walked by.

Luna only smiled dreamily at her. “Sorry,” she said, already firmly affixed in Ron’s arms.

“Never would have figured you for the knock down, drag out type,” Lavender said to Luna.

“I have the bruises to prove that she is,” Ron said, laughing.

Luna swatted playfully at him. “I never heard you complaining about it before,” she said.

“I wasn’t complaining,” Ron said smiling at her. “Just making an observation.”

Luna grinned as she unashamedly kissed him. Hermione clapped her hands in delight. “Are you two finally back together?” she asked.

“What would make you think that?” Luna asked coyly.

“Gee I’m not sure,” Harry replied.

“We are most definitely back together,” Ron said proudly.

Hermione, Lavender and Cho all made a squealing noise, making Harry, Seamus, Neville and Ron cringe.

“Check with the waiters and make sure no glasses were broken,” Ron said, earning himself reproving looks from the girls.

“Are you really sure you want him back?” Lavender asked teasingly.

“More than anything,” Luna rested her head on his shoulder; both she and Ron were grinning like fools.

Cho tapped Neville on the shoulder. “Ready to throw the garter?”

“I’m ready to get the garter,” Neville laughed. “I’ve been looking forward to this all night!”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to lift my leg...much,” Cho said as he led her to the centre of the floor.

“That’s what the chair is for. And I go under your robes so don’t worry about lifting anything,” Neville gave her a gentle kiss.

“The rest of you blokes can just sit this one out,” Harry bragged. “I’ve got this one.”

“Don’t speak too soon Potter,” Ron pushed him aside.

“Who was the youngest seeker in a century?” Harry asked him.

“That means nothing to me,” Ron replied loftily. Luna pulled him aside and whispered in his ear a moment.

“Any time that you’re ready,” Neville called out to Ron impatiently.

“I’m ready to kick some arse!” Ron replied.

Harry bumped Ron’s shoulder as he saw Gordon also step onto the dance floor.

“I don’t think they’re worried anymore about what this means,” Cho whispered to Neville. “I have a feeling that none of that lot wants to be the next to get married.”

“I agree,” Neville said. “Are YOU ready?” he teased.

“With your help,” Cho said grinning back at him.

Neville grinned back as he disappeared under her robes. Hoots and catcalls accompanied his task of pulling Cho’s lacy garter off her smooth leg with his teeth. He struggled to get it down but after a few minutes held it triumphantly in his hand. “All right you guys!” he called.

“The only thing you’re going to catch is air,” Ron said to Harry.

Neville turned around and launched the garter back at the crowd behind him.

In a re-enactment of what happened with the bouquet, the men all lunged for the garter and collapsed into a pile. But it wasn’t Harry who emerged with the garter, but Ron who placed it on his finger and twirled it around.

“How do you like that...Mr. Youngest Seeker in a Century?” he asked Harry.

“Sod off,” Harry grumbled. “If you hadn’t bloody pushed me over...”

“I still would have gotten it,” Ron interrupted. “You’ve lost your touch, Harry. It happens to the best of us...well, you. I apparently still have it.”

Hermione hugged him. “It’s all right love; at least I got the bouquet. That means we’re half there.” She teased him.

“Rotten luck,” Gordon said, as he passed them by. He couldn’t resist getting one last dig in at Harry’s expense. “I guess this means that at any rate Hermione will be the next to get married.” He laughed at the end of his comment for Hermione’s benefit, but he knew Harry didn’t find this amusing at all.

“Perhaps we will,” Hermione replied. “Harry just has to buy me a ring first.” She laughed teasingly as she hugged her boyfriend.

“Yeah,” Gordon said, nodding. He shrugged. “Well, it’s not all for naught, is it, Harry? I mean you may not have caught the garter, but you still got the girl.”

“That’s right,” Harry forced a smile onto his face. “The greatest girl.” This time his grin was genuine as he looked at Hermione who was positively starry eyed by this point.

“Well, I should probably get Skylar home,” Gordon said. “Thanks again for inviting me, Hermione. I had a really nice time.”

“Oh you have to leave so soon?” Hermione asked. “We haven’t even cut the cake yet!”

Gordon noticed Harry grimace at his girlfriend’s attempt to get him to stay. Part of him wanted to stay behind just to stick it to Potter, but he knew he couldn’t push things... not yet. It wouldn’t be too much longer before Potter wouldn’t even be an issue.

“Yeah, Skylar has an early start tomorrow at the shop,” Gordon said, feigning disappointment.

“All right,” Hermione replied. “Good of you to come Gordon. And it was nice meeting you Skylar.” She smiled at the other girl.

“Thank you for inviting us,” Skylar said coolly. She led the way out of the restaurant and Gordon reluctantly followed.

“That was strange, wasn’t it?” Hermione asked watching them walk out.

“What?” Harry asked

“Just that he made it sound like they’d been out a few times, but it seemed as if this was their first date,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “And from the way she just acted, I think it might have been their last.”

“Perhaps,” Harry shrugged. “Maybe she felt left out because she didn’t know anyone.”

“Could be,” Hermione said, holding the bouquet in her hand. “I can’t believe I actually caught this!”

Harry smiled at her. “What’s so unbelievable about it?” he asked.

“Well you did give me those pointers,” she said nudging him. “That was probably what did it.”

“Aye, we shouldn’t have said anything out loud- that’s what Luna did to Ron.” Harry replied.

“We’ll know better next time,” Hermione said reassuringly.

“Hey Hermione!” Ron called. “We need you over here for a picture!”

“Okay!” she called back.

“Go on,” Harry pushed her towards the centre of the room.

Luna walked over to join Harry as their significant others posed for photos with Neville and Cho. “That’s cute,” she giggled as Ron held up the garter and dipped Hermione back for their shot as the people who caught the bouquet and garter.

“By the way, just out of curiosity...what did you say to Ron before Neville threw the garter?” Harry asked Luna.

Luna smiled. “Looking for pointers?”

“No,” Harry said laughing. “Just being curious.”

“I just told him to play dirty,” Luna smiled.

“Are you sure you shouldn’t have been sorted into Slytherin?” Harry asked amazed.

Luna laughed. “I’m not vindictive!” she pretended to be offended at Harry’s statement.

“Just kidding,” Harry said laughing. They watched as the photographer took some more photos. “He really does love you,” Harry said to Luna, whose eyes were fixed on Ron.

“I know,” Luna said. “I honestly don’t know what I was thinking now when I broke things off.”

“None of that matters now,” Harry said.

“Nope,” Luna shook her head as Ron and Hermione laughed and hugged each other. “It really doesn’t.’

“Ron might not always know the right way to say or do things, but you can always say that his heart is in the right place,” Harry said. “He never meant to hurt you, Luna. You know that, right?”

Luna nodded. “I’m sure we still have a few things to work out. After all it’s only been... forty five minutes since we’ve gotten back together.” She patted Harry’s arm. “This time I have a feeling things will go better.”

Harry nodded. “And here they are...the love of my life and the man I thought was my friend who knocked me down as if his life depended on it,” he deadpanned as Hermione and Ron made their way toward them.

“Oh stop being a spoilsport.” Ron said smugly.

Hermione set the bouquet down in front of her place at the table. “Come on love, I’d like another spin on the floor with you before we have cake.”

“Yeah, go do the bunny hop, rabbits,” Ron called out to them.

Harry gave him a challenging glare. “I have no shame Weasley so don’t tempt me.”

“Down, boys,” Luna said, giggling.

*** *** **

It was nearly midnight when Cho and Neville said goodbye to their final guests. The wait staff was still cleaning up and Neville had left Cho alone at one of the tables as he went into the kitchen for what he said was a surprise.

He emerged from the kitchen with something behind his back as he approached his wife. He laughed as she yawned. “I saw that,” he called out to her. “You’re not tired are you, Mrs. Longbottom?”

“Insanely,” Cho answered but she still smiled.

He shook his head. “Well, perhaps you didn’t want what I have behind my back then? If you’re too tired...”

“I’m never too tired for a surprise,” Cho laughed.

Neville grinned and pulled a plate from behind his back and set it in front of Cho. On the plate was the largest piece of chocolate cheesecake she’d ever seen. “As far as surprises go, I know it’s not much,” Neville said, sitting down beside her, “but it’s the best I could do.”

“I LOVE you!” Cho was instantly wide awake. “How did you know this is what I’ve been craving all night?”

Neville beamed at her. “It was between this and garlic bread...I guess I chose the right one?”

“Yes you did,” Cho said, her mouth full. “Here, have a bite.” She held out a large forkful.

Neville leaned forward and opened his mouth, but Cho pulled the fork away before he had a chance to take a bite. “Hey!” he exclaimed.

“Sorry,” she grinned. “Here you can have this one.”

Neville took the proffered bite and smiled. “Mmm,” he said.

“This was such a perfect day,” Cho said. “I can’t imagine how it could have gotten any better than it was.”

“I know,” Neville said. “I had no idea that they’d get everyone to come like that! I haven’t seen some of those people since Hogwarts!”

“It was fantastic,” Cho smiled and leaned forwards. “I told a few of them I was pregnant... and they said you would be a great father.” She touched his cheek. “I agree with them.”

“Really?” Neville asked touched.

“Yes,” she leaned in for a quick kiss.

“This is so surreal,” Neville said, looking down at the wedding band on his finger. “Last year at this time, you and me— we were friends. We had no idea that we’d even be dating let alone married, did we?”

Cho finished the cheesecake. “No...” she said thoughtfully. “But it’s all a change for the better. I know I’ve said this before but I don’t know what I’d have done without you.”

“I feel the same way about you,” Neville said, taking her hand in his.

“I should hope so,” Cho laughed. “But I know what you mean. We’re actually married!”

“Yes we are,” Neville said happily. “And how does the little one feel about that?”

“I think the little one is happy too,” Cho moved the front flap of her robes aside so Neville could put his hand on her stomach.

“Next year at this time, we’ll be getting her ready for her first Christmas,” Neville said, looking at Cho.

She laughed. “You’re dead set on us having a daughter aren’t you?”

“I’ll be happy either way,” he said grinning. “I’m just saying that I have a very strong feeling that we’re going to have a little girl.”

“Okay Trelawney,” Cho teased. “What have you done with my husband? Can you tell him I’d like to go home soon?”

“Okay,” Neville said, pushing back from his chair and getting to his feet. “Your husband would love to take you home.”

Cho smiled as he helped her up. He helped her into her cloak and then went in the back to take care of any last minute cleanup duties.

He emerged from the kitchen a few moments later, carrying a box that he asked Cho to hold while he put on his own cloak.

“What’s in here?” she asked.

“I persuaded one of the waiters to give us a cheesecake to go,” Neville asked, winking at her.

Cho squealed. “You are absolutely perfect did you know that?”

“I have my moments,” Neville said, taking her hand.

“You have many moments,” Cho leaned against him as they walked outside. It was a cold but clear night and the fresh air made her feel giddy.

Neville began to laugh. “Do you know what I just thought?”

“What?” she asked.

“It’s our honeymoon and out of all of our friends, we’re probably the only ones who won’t be engaging in any activities, so to speak. The rabbits are a given and I’m sure Ron and Luna are...well, you know,” Neville asked, helping her into the Ministry car.

Cho started giggling. “You forgot Seamus and Lavender... I know they haven’t done... that yet.”

“Oh, yeah,” Neville said, sliding into the seat beside her. “Okay, well I guess we’re not alone then.”

19. Chapter Nineteen

A/N: Thanks again to ALL of you who reviewed, your feedback is fantastic and it makes both of us really glad to see you’re enjoying the story!

A lot of you are wondering why Hermione is so blind to Gordon’s true intentions- it will be explained in later chapters, so keep an eye out for it!

Next chapter is Christmas! Yay!!

Lavender followed Seamus into his apartment, moving aside so he could lock the doors behind him. “What a great wedding,” she said.

“That it was,” Seamus agreed, watching as she pulled out the pins to let her long hair cascade down. “You looked gorgeous.”

Lavender blushed. “Thanks,” she murmured. “You looked very handsome yourself.”

Seamus grinned. “You’re quite the dancer as well. Are you sure Harry didn’t give you lessons at Hillsdale along with your cousin?”

She giggled. “No… I’m just naturally good at it,” she said jokingly.

He laughed and wound his arms around her waist. “I can think of other things you’re naturally good at too.”

Lavender grinned as he leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. She opened her mouth under his, allowing his tongue to sweep in and taste her. His hands wandered down to unclasp her deep red dress robes.

There had been many a time since they admitted that they were in love with one another that they had come close to having sex. Usually it was Lavender who stopped them, Seamus never pushing her when she pulled away from him.

Yet tonight felt different to her- she wasn’t sure if it was the romantic atmosphere of a wedding that she had been exposed to all day long, or the champagne she had consumed… but she was hungry for Seamus and for the first time in a long while she felt ready to share herself with someone else- the last time being when she thought she was losing that git Malfoy.

“Seamus,” she said as he started to peel her robes away. “Not—“

“Sorry,” he immediately pulled back.

“No…” Lavender wound her arms around his neck. “I just… I would rather you take me to your bedroom,” she said a bit shyly.

Seamus stared at her a moment. “Are… you sure?” he asked.

Lavender nodded. “I’m positive,” she leaned in and kissed him again. He scooped her up, carrying her into his room.

The moonlight slipped through his slightly open curtains as they fell onto the bed in a tangle of robes and sheets. Seamus kissed her again, letting his fingers trail through her long hair.

Lavender shrugged out of her robe, letting the silky material fall off the side of the bed. Seamus did the same, also pulling off his shirt and tie. She let him trail his fingers down her sides and lift up on her dress as she lay back, arching her body as he drew the garments off of her.

She wasn’t as scared as she thought she’d be, instead reaching for him, kissing him as her hands searched for the zipper on his trousers. Her fingers trembled only slightly as she pulled the trousers off, adding them to their pile of clothes on the side of the bed.

Seamus could see she was nervous- hell, so was he. He’d never had sex before but he had heard enough from living with guys in Gryffindor and usually he could find one of his stagehands bragging rather graphically about one conquest or another so he wasn’t completely without knowledge. He began to caress her bare skin, trailing his fingers lightly over her stomach as he dipped his tongue into her mouth.

Lavender stifled a tiny cry as Seamus moved his hand over her knickers. Her body was reacting to his touch and she let out a loud cry when his fingers slid inside her.

“Seamus…” she breathed as his lips travelled down her skin. She pulled at her bra, not wanting him to remove his hand from its current position, and he latched onto her breast, making her cry out again.

“Like that love?” he paused briefly to smile at her.

Lavender nodded. “I love you Seamus,” she whispered.

“I love you too Lavender,” he stroked her hair away from her chest, fumbling a bit as he pulled her knickers away, looking down on her naked body. “Merlin you’re gorgeous,” he said, blushing a little.

Lavender’s breath was coming in short gasps as he took his boxers off, finally topping off their pile of clothing. Still feeling shy, she pulled him back down on top of her, kissing him as hard as she could.

He teased her a few more minutes, and then pushed his way inside her, slowly, letting her grow used to the way this new situation felt.

She breathed out deeply as Seamus buried himself in her; Lavender arched her body up and he began to move.

Their grunts and cries grew loud as they moved faster; Seamus had his mouth attached to hers as she let out a moan that made shivers go down his spine and he released at the same time she did.

He rolled off to her side, pulling her next to him. Lavender grasped his sweaty shoulder, staring up into his eyes.

She caressed his face, her fingers running through his hair as he pressed his forehead to hers. “I wonder… if it was like that for everyone,” Lavender finally said.

“Like what?” Seamus asked, smiling as he ran his hand over her arm.

“I… don’t know…” Lavender giggled, still feeling quite euphoric. She leaned in and kissed him again. “I can’t really find the words for it.”

“I can,” Seamus propped himself up, pulling his sheets further up over both of them. “I love you.”

“I love you,” Lavender replied. “Very, very much.”

Seamus pulled her close again. “Same here,” he kissed the top of her head several times, moving his lips down over her face before settling on her mouth.

They fell asleep in each other’s arms that night, content as could be.

*** *** ***

The day after the wedding found Harry and Hermione going through boxes of Christmas ornaments that her parents had given them. Harry had gone into Hogsmeade earlier and brought home a huge Christmas tree and they’d invited everyone over to help decorate.

It was just past seven and their friends weren’t due to arrive until eight. She and Harry had settled down in front of the fireplace and were sifting through the ornaments and deciding which to use.

“What is this?” Harry asked, holding up an ornament.

Hermione laughed. “At one time it was a gingerbread man. I made that when I was six.”

Harry laughed. “It looks like a gingerbread squish now,” he teased. “We definitely have to use it.”

“My art teacher told me it was the best in the class,” Hermione said defensively.

Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. “That’s why we have to hang it.”

Hermione smiled. “Did you ever get to do this when you were a kid?”

Harry shook his head. “Dudley made all the ornaments, anything I made either had to be hidden away and has been lost over the years or he ruined it as we came home from school.”

Hermione couldn’t imagine what that must have been like. She had loads of happy Christmas memories with her parents and Lavender. “I’m sorry,” she said softly.

“It’s all right,” Harry mustered a smile. “I’ve never looked forward to a holiday as much as I am this one and it’s because I have you in my life now.”

“Me, too,” Hermione admitted, leaning in for another kiss.

“Ugh, again?” Lavender’s voice made them jump apart.

“So nice of you to knock Lavender,” Harry grumbled, helping his girlfriend to her feet. “Been taking lessons from Ron have you?”

“You’re a bit early, aren’t you, Lavender?” Hermione asked, glancing down at her watch.

“Yeah,” Lavender replied. “I needed to talk to you about something Hermione.”

“Alright,” Hermione said. When she saw Lavender looking in Harry’s direction, she said, “Could you give us a moment, Harry?”

“Sure,” Harry replied. “I’ll go make some tea for everyone.” He stepped over the boxes and went into the kitchen.

Hermione walked over to the sofa and patted the space beside her. “Okay, cousin...what’s on your mind?”

“Well...” Lavender almost couldn’t contain herself. “Last night after the wedding... I went back to Seamus’s place with him.” She began.

Hermione had a feeling what might have happened by the broad smile on Lavender’s face, but she decided to let Lavender give the details. “And...?”

“We...” Lavender giggled. “Well... we finally decided it was the right time and...” she shrugged as she bit down on her lower lip to keep her grin from widening even more.

Hermione squealed. “How was it?”

Lavender giggled again. “Well...” she sighed. “It didn’t hurt like I thought it would, but it was kind of... fast...” she turned red. “Not that I didn’t like it, and Seamus was absolutely wonderful... I’m just hoping next time we can maybe hold out a little longer.” She laughed again, slightly nervous that Hermione would think it was all ridiculous.

Hermione leaned in so Harry couldn’t hear. “It was sort of like that my first time, too.”

“It was?” Lavender asked.

“Yeah,” Hermione admitted. “The first time...I felt so stupid because I kept wondering the entire time if I was doing it right. Stupid, huh?”

“No,” Lavender shook her head. “And here I was thinking you’d find ME stupid for wondering if it was always so quick...” she smiled at her cousin.

Hermione laughed. “I’d never think that, Lav.”

“Thanks,” Lavender hugged her quickly. “I just wanted to tell you... well you’ve just been a big help to me, especially back when Seamus and I were just starting out and things were a bit bumpy.”

“Of course,” Hermione said. “After all you did for Harry and me during the summer...”

Lavender smiled. “Well... I can’t wait to do it again. Maybe Seamus and I will take away your and Harry’s rabbit title.” She teased.

“I wish all of you would stop calling us that,” Hermione said, pretending to look affronted. “You all act as if Harry and me are on top of each other all the time.”

Harry chose that particular moment to return. “Okay, tea and hot chocolate is on the way,” he said, flopping down next to them and pulling Hermione onto his lap.

Lavender cleared her throat and looked away, smirking.

Hermione blushed. “Thank you for helping me prove my point,” she said sarcastically to Harry.

“What point?” Harry asked, looking innocently between the two girls.

“Nothing,” Hermione said, giggling. “I was just trying to defend our honour.”

“Which honour is that?” Harry asked, sliding his fingers over the soft jumper she was wearing.

“Lavender just brought up that horrid name that everyone calls us and I was saying that we weren’t on top of each other every minute of the day,” Hermione explained.

“Oh,” Harry grinned. “You say that like it’s such a bad name. I’ve grown rather fond of it myself.”

“I wonder why,” Hermione said turning around and winking at him.

Lavender groaned. “Okay, but do it on your own time rabbits. Everyone’s going to be arriving soon!”

“Ron promised to bring me a new tin of biscuits,” Hermione commented, getting off of Harry’s lap and handing a box of ornaments to Lavender. “Of course, he told me that the last four times he was here, but I say we don’t let him in unless he has them.”

“That should be interesting,” Harry replied. “Especially since he always just comes in he never knocks or waits for us to actually open the door.”

“Which biscuits, your Pims?” Lavender asked.

“Yes,” Hermione said. “A brand new bag and he finished them off in one sitting. Correction...he was nice enough to leave me one.”

“You should have seen it,” Harry said, lifting his head up from one of the boxes. “He was shaking in his boots after she threatened him.” He grinned at Hermione. “Luckily for him that was the day she found out her marks were highest in the class again so he was spared.”

“Do you know what I don’t understand is he eats the way he does and he never gains a stone,” Hermione said with a laugh. “It’s not fair.”

“I don’t get it either,” Harry said. “None of us ever have.”

“What I wouldn’t give for that to happen for me,” Lavender pulled another box in front of her and began to laugh. “Remember this Hermione?” she held up a long gold garland with paper angels cut into it.

Hermione put a hand over her mouth. “I can’t believe Mum kept that!”

Harry looked at Lavender. “What’s so funny about it?” he asked.

“Well it was my first Christmas living with my aunt, uncle and Hermione. Every year they would make something new for the tree, whether it was just an ornament or a garland. Well this year my aunt of course asked me to help, but Hermione had already decided she wanted to make this,” Lavender held up the garland.

“I let you help,” Hermione pointed out.

“Yeah after your mum threatened to keep you out of tradition that year,” Lavender laughed at her. “So I had to sit there and cut precisely into this, while Hermione kept yanking on the other end.”

“I did not yank it!” Hermione retorted. “I lightly tugged it. Big difference.”

Lavender held up one particular angel. “So that explains why this one got beheaded?” she pointed out.

Harry began laughing. “Control freak even then, love?” he teased.

“I’m not a control freak,” Hermione said, glaring at him. “I was just trying to make things run smoothly and my stubborn cousin here didn’t want to listen to reason.”

Harry and Lavender smiled at one another. “Well don’t forget Hermione, the next year you decided it had to be ornaments. And the year after—“

“Yes, yes,” Hermione said cutting her off. “We get the point.”

Harry wrapped his arms around her. “It’s just fun to tease you,” he kissed the side of her head.

“The two of you must be having a ball then,” Hermione said as the doorbell chimed. “Well, we can rule out that being Ron,” she said as Harry got up to answer the door.

Lavender laughed at Hermione as they heard Harry open the door. “The newlyweds are here!” he bellowed.

“Thanks for shouting that in my ear,” Cho said as Harry helped her with her cloak. “I don’t believe they heard you in Canada, Harry.”

“Well I just wanted to make sure everyone knows,” Harry replied cheekily. “How was day one of married life?”

“Fantastic,” Cho said winking at Neville. “He served me breakfast in bed this morning.”

“That’s so sweet,” Hermione said as she joined them in the hallway. “Cho can I get you anything to drink? Harry put on water for tea or hot chocolate if you want some.”

“Hot chocolate would be wonderful,” Cho said. “It’s absolutely freezing outside.”

“If it weren’t for the rain,” Neville began. “I think it would be fine. It’d be nice to get snow once in awhile, especially now that it’s almost Christmas.”

“I agree,” Hermione said. “There’s nothing like snow on Christmas.”

Harry went into the kitchen to get Cho her hot chocolate while Hermione pulled their guests into the living room where the tree was. “Hey guys,” Lavender smiled at her friends. “You both look well rested from yesterday.”

Cho struggled to get comfortable on the sofa. “I’m so ready to not be pregnant anymore. I wouldn’t mind if the little one here decided to put in an early appearance. It would be so nice to be able to see my feet again.”

“Do you need me to rub them for you?” Neville asked, instantly concerned.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “They’re not hurting. I just miss being able to see them.”

Neville laughed along with Hermione and Lavender. “Well you’ve only got a few weeks to go sweetheart,” he sat down next to her.

“And afterwards you’re going to have the absolute best thing,” Lavender said.

“I know,” Cho said, smiling. She looked down at the ornaments on the coffee table. “Why does one of those angels have no head?”

Lavender looked at Hermione and they burst out laughing. “Don’t ask,” Hermione said.

“Happy Christmas!” a familiar voice called to them. They looked up to see Ron grinning at them.

Luna looked apologetically at Hermione. “I told him we should have knocked.”

“Did you bring my biscuits,” Hermione asked immediately.

“What biscuits?” Ron asked confused. “I didn’t know were supposed to bring anything. I just said we had to show...”

Hermione stood up, her hands on her hips. “Ronald Weasley,” she began in a warning tone. “My Pims please?”

Ron looked sheepishly at her. “I did buy you some more, but I-I left them back at Luna’s flat, didn’t I love?”

Luna smiled at him. “She looks pretty angry love...”

“Well, I guess you won’t mind if we don’t serve you anything tonight,” Hermione said seriously.

Ron looked back and forth between his friends, who were all trying not to laugh. “Hermione...” he began.

“Harry,” Hermione called out to him in the kitchen. “Don’t worry about getting Ron anything. He’s not going to be eating or drinking anything here tonight.”

“All right!” Ron said. “I’ll go back to Luna’s flat and get them!”

“You don’t have to do that,” Hermione said finally breaking into an amused smile.

“What?” Ron looked flabbergasted. “But you just said I had to or you wouldn’t feed me!”

“Just trying to teach you a lesson,” Hermione said simply. “Just remember that next time you decide to eat my biscuits. Next time, I won’t be so forgiving.”

“I’ll bring them next time, I promise.” Ron finally relaxed.

Hermione grinned. She walked into the kitchen to help Harry and saw him busily placing some pastries on a plate. Coming up behind him, she wrapped her arms around his middle and rested her head on his back.

Harry chuckled. “Scaring the trousers off Ron are you?”

“Just teaching him a lesson,” she said softly. “Need any help?”

“Just carrying this stuff out,” Harry said. “Everyone here?”

“Everyone but Seamus,” Hermione answered. “Lavender mentioned he might be a bit late.”

“He still filming?” Harry asked, setting mugs on another tray as Hermione poured water into each of them.

Hermione nodded. “So...have you bought my Christmas present yet?” she asked nonchalantly. “Or at the very least mentioned it to Cho...”

“I have and no, I haven’t mentioned it to Cho.” Harry said. “You saw how well she kept the secret about you falling asleep...”

Hermione’s cheeks reddened. “So, I take it you won’t be mentioning it to her then?”

“Nope,” Harry grinned charmingly at her. “But I could ask her what you got for me...”

“You could,” Hermione said smugly. “But she wouldn’t know.”

“Smart girl,” Harry took the kettle from her hand and set it down. She recognised the hungry look in his eyes and her giggle was smothered when he kissed her just a moment later.

“Wow,” Hermione said breathlessly as they broke apart a moment later. “You know you’re really quite good at that.”

“So I’ve been told.” Harry kissed her once more. “Come on... we’ve got plenty of time to snog later.”

They walked into the living room and were nearly knocked over by Ron who made a beeline for the pastries. Everyone watched as Ron popped two into his mouth before the tray had been set on the table.

“Whaaaat?” he asked cluelessly.

Harry shook his head. “Everyone but Ron help themselves,” he looked at his redheaded friend. “You can have some after everyone else.”

Ron glared at him. “I think you’re still sore that I caught the garter last night and you...didn’t.”

Harry smirked at him. “Hardly matters Weasley. Fact here is that I have the food and you don’t.”

Ron said something unintelligible under his breath and went to sit down beside Luna, who patted his back sympathetically.

“Okay,” Neville said loudly. “How about we get some of this stuff on this tree?”

“Alright,” Hermione said excitedly clapping her hands together. “I think the best way to begin would be for Harry to string up the lights, I can handle the garland, Neville you can pick out the...” her voice trailed off as she noticed everyone looking at her this time.

Lavender coughed something that sounded like ‘control freak’ into her arm as Harry grinned.

“I think they’re onto you love.” He said.

Hermione’s cheeks went pink again. “Or we could just do whatever...”

The doorbell rang and Lavender squealed and jumped up. “That’s probably Seamus!” she dashed out to the front hallway.

“Okay,” Cho said. “That’s the most excited I’ve ever seen her...”

Lavender swung open the door and smiled broadly when she saw that it was indeed Seamus at the door. “Hi,” she said softly.

“Hey,” He stepped inside. “It’s bloody freezing out there.”

Lavender grinned. “You look quite cute when your teeth are chattering like that.”

“Very funny,” Seamus leaned over and gave her a kiss. He shook the water from his hair. “I assume I look quite cute all bedraggled too from the way you’re looking at me right now.” He grinned.

“I pretty much think you’re cute all the time,” she said dreamily.

Seamus kissed her again. “Before we go in there I wanted to tell you again that I really had a good time last night.”

“You did?” Lavender asked pleased. “Really?”

“Aye,” Seamus let her run her fingers through his wet hair. “I can’t wait to do it again.”

Lavender smiled. “I was just thinking the exact same thing.”

“What’s taking so long to answer the door?” Ron’s voice floated in. “We could use some help in here—OW! What did you do that for Hermione?”

“Leave them alone and I’ll let you have something to eat,” Hermione answered.

Seamus and Lavender looked at each other and laughed. “That buys us a few minutes,” he joked.

“What did you have in mind?” she whispered.

Seamus wrapped his arms around her, forgetting how wet his jumper and hair were from the rain. “You could warm me up,” he said.

Lavender grinned as she looped her arms around his neck and kissed him. As their kiss deepened, she felt his hand skilfully creep up beneath her jumper and her skin tingled at his touch.

“Like that love?” Seamus whispered.

“Yes,” she said softly. “Do you think they’d notice if we just snuck out and went back to your place?”

“Probably,” Seamus laughed. “But there’s always later...” he let his words trail off as he leaned in and kissed her again, letting his hands creep back up under her clothing.

“We sure could use some help in here,” Ron called out rather loudly just then. Reluctantly, Lavender allowed Seamus to lead her back into the living room.

“You know, you’re a right pain in the arse,” Seamus said.

“It’s not fair that the two of you get to snog in the hall there while the rest of us are slaving away doing all this for Harry and Hermione,” Ron retorted. He was trying to untangle a string of lights and not having much luck.

“All I see you doing is eating,” Harry pointed out as he and Hermione unwrapped more old ornaments.

“I wish you would leave me alone about that,” Ron said yanking on the string of lights and only managing to make a bigger tangled mess than he’d started with. Taking pity on him, Luna took out her wand and with a swish and flick, the strand became untangled.

“Now why didn’t I think of that?” he asked.

“I’m not sure,” Luna said shaking her head as Ron reached for another pastry.

“My mum wanted to know if you and your dad wanted to come over for Christmas dinner,” Ron said a few moments later. “We’re going to have a full house, of course, but you know mum...the more the merrier.”

Luna smiled at him. “We’d love to. I’ll have to check with Daddy of course but I’m sure it would be fine.” She sat next to him as they began to pass the lights over to Harry. “Has Ginny decided to come home?” she asked in a quiet voice.

Ron frowned. “She sent a letter home a few days ago. She said that she wished us all a Happy Christmas, but she would be working throughout the holiday and wouldn’t be able to make it. Fred reckons it’s because she knows we wouldn’t let that git Malfoy in the house.”

“I’ll bet that made your Mum happy though,” she squeezed his hand.

“Yeah,” Ron said, smiling. “It helped. At least she hasn’t cut herself off from the family completely.”

“And as long as that makes you happy, it makes me happy,” Luna leaned over for a quick kiss.

“That means a lot to me,” he said smiling at her. “I know she did some horrible things, but she’s still my sister.”

“Now who’s not getting anything done?” Seamus mocked in a loud tone.

“Very funny, Finnigan,” Ron said not bothering to look up. “How about you shut it before I deck your halls?”

Harry snorted. “Now, now children,” he said. “There’s enough snog in this world for everyone.”

“Wisdom from the Rabbit King,” Neville chimed in.

Hermione glanced at Lavender. “And she thinks she can take that title away.”

“Who thinks they have the stamina to take that title away?” Ron asked in disbelief. Lavender blushed and shot Hermione a warning look.

“All of you,” Hermione covered hastily. “It seems you all forget that I do indeed have a competitive side and this is one thing Harry and I intend to stay on top of,” she grinned.

Lavender mouthed the words “thank you” to her cousin.

“I’ll make a deal with you,” Ron said looking at Harry. “I’ll stop calling you the rabbits if you stop making snide comments about what I eat.”

“We don’t want to stop being called rabbits. Gives us an excuse,” Harry informed his best friend as he finished stringing lights on the tree.

“Can we please not talk about Harry and Hermione’s sex life, please?” Cho said from her perch on the sofa.

“I second that,” Lavender replied.

“Who wants more hot chocolate?” Hermione asked. “I’m sure we have some more pastries or rolls as well if anyone... well besides you Ron... is still hungry.”

“I’d love some more hot chocolate,” Cho said, trying to get up from the sofa, but failing. “Could someone give me a hand?”

“I’ll get it,” Hermione replied. “Stay sitting Cho,”

Luna got to her feet. “I’ll help you,” she offered.

“It was really great of you to have everyone over like this,” Luna said as she followed Hermione into the kitchen.

“I wanted Harry to have a good Christmas,” Hermione confessed in a whisper. “He’s told me how mistreated he was as a little boy...” she shook her head.

“You know it’s amazing how well he turned out with all that happened to him,” Luna said.

“That’s true,” Hermione replied. “I think in large part it had to do with having such good friends around him.”

“He was always nice to me,” Luna said smiling. “He was the only one when we were in school that didn’t seem to treat me like I was a freak. I always appreciated that.”

Hermione smiled. “I was as shocked as anyone when we got together.” She lowered her voice. “To be honest, I always thought he sounded conceited until I got to know him. Thank Merlin I was completely wrong!”

Luna giggled. “I used to think that too before I met him.”

“I can’t imagine my life without him now.” Hermione said, peeking into the living room where Harry was laughing with Lavender over more silly ornaments.

“I know this might be too personal, but when did you know? When did you know you loved him?” Luna asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. “It’s really hard to pinpoint exactly when that was... but it was the night of the Sheldrake that I knew without a doubt.” She replied after a moment as the kettle began to whistle.

Luna quickly walked over to the stove and picked up the kettle as Hermione quickly set out some mugs. “You two sure didn’t have an easy go of it,” Luna said as she poured the boiling water in the mugs. “But, look at you now. Gives the rest of us some hope.”

“What like you and Ron?” Hermione asked with a smile. “You two are as made for each other as Harry and I are.”

Luna grinned. “I think so too.”

“Have you two talked anything out yet or did you spend last night doing other things?” Hermione teased as she warmed some rolls with her wand and set them on a tray with the remaining pastries.

“We sort of did both,” Luna admitted with a cheeky smile. “We still have a lot of things to work out, but it’s great just to be with him again.”

“He’s sure lit up like that tree out there,” Hermione laughed.

“He is, isn’t he?” Luna asked dreamily.

It was at that moment that Ron called out to them from the living room. “You’ve got starving men out here! What’s taking so long?”

“Ron didn’t we tell you? We only bought enough to feed a small army,” Hermione retorted as she carried the tray of food, Luna following with the hot chocolate. “Maybe if you’d brought my biscuits we’d have more on hand.” She added pointedly.

“Okay, okay,” Ron said, helping himself to a mug of hot chocolate. “Tell you what; I’ll buy you a case of them for Christmas.”

“Plus the ones you already owe me?” Hermione looked serious but everyone could see the twinkle in her eye.

“Told you that you shouldn’t have eaten them all to begin with mate,” Harry sat down on the sofa next to Cho and patted the armrest. “Come on and sit down,” he smiled at his girlfriend.

Hermione grinned and grabbed a pastry from the plate before sitting down on the arm rest. She broke it in half and offered some to Harry.

“Thanks,” he leaned forward and took it out of her hand with his mouth.

“Are you having a good time?” she whispered in his ear.

“The only better time I’ll have all day is after they all leave and we’re alone again,” he kissed her earlobe.

Hermione found herself getting emotional as she took in the sight of their friends having a good time decorating the tree. She felt her lower lip begin to tremble and she tried to keep the tears away.

“What are the tears for?” Harry sat up straight. “Is something wrong?” his green eyes were soft with concern.

She shook her head and wiped a tear from her cheek. “I’m just really, really happy is all. I feel like I’ve got all I’ve ever wanted.”

Harry smiled as he tucked a fallen lock of hair behind her ear. “Well thanks to you, I can say the same.” He said.

“Happy Christmas, Harry,” she said, touching his cheek.

He leaned in and gave her a rather chaste kiss. “You too sweetheart,” he said softly.

*** *** ***

“I think it’s very sweet that you go visit your parents all the time,” Cho commented as they rode up in the lift towards the level where Neville’s mum and dad currently took up residence in St. Mungo’s.

“Yeah I usually try to get over at least once a month.” Neville said, giving his wife’s hand a squeeze. “I always come by on Christmas Eve no matter what though.” He led Cho down the corridor and they entered the ward.

“Are you sure you want me to come in with you?” she asked.

“Of course I do.” Neville said firmly. “You’re my wife and therefore you’re a Longbottom now.”

Cho smiled, but her smile faded when she saw a familiar figure coming toward them. “Neville,” she said softly. “Look...”

“Gran,” Neville stopped short.

“Neville,” Mrs. Longbottom said in a cool tone. She looked at Cho. “Miss Chang.”

“Its Longbottom now,” Neville corrected his grandmother. “We were married just a few days ago.”

“Yes, I know,” Mrs. Longbottom said, mustering a smile. An awkward silence followed. “Might I have a word, Neville?” Mrs. Longbottom finally asked.

“Will you be okay for a moment?” Neville asked Cho.

“Sure,” Cho said with a reassuring smile. “You go on ahead.”

“I won’t be long,” Neville kissed her cheek and allowed his grandmother to lead him back out the door. “What is it?” he asked, crossing his arms. “If you’re going to lecture me about getting married, I don’t want to hear it.”

“I wasn’t going to lecture you,” Mrs. Longbottom said quietly. “I didn’t know if you were going to come today. I was surprised to see you.”

“Well,” Neville seemed at a loss for words. “They’re still my parents even if you disowned me.”

Mrs. Longbottom stood against the wall and sighed. “It’s never been easy to come here,” she said.

“No, it hasn’t.” Neville peeked through the window to the ward.

“I know it’s been particularly hard on you,” she said, her tone much softer. “I wish you could have known them as they were...before.”

“Yeah,” Neville replied. “I wish that too.” He felt horrible that things were so awkward between him and his Gran but he’d be damned if he’d treat her as he had before when she’d been horrible to Cho. “I hope you’ve got some nice plans for tomorrow.” He found himself saying instead.

She didn’t answer him. Instead, she asked her own question. “And you and...Cho...do you have plans for Christmas?”

“We’re just taking tomorrow and spending it together,” Neville answered. “Cho’s so close to giving birth that we just want to take it easy from here on out, so we didn’t plan any sort of large celebration.”

Mrs. Longbottom nodded. “And your training; how is that going?”

“Great,” Neville replied. “They’re sending us out to Madrid right after New Year’s but then I and I have two weeks off right at the time the baby is due.”

“They’d be proud of you,” his grandmother said, nodding toward the ward. She paused. “As I am.”

“You’re proud of me?” Neville’s eyebrows shot up.

“I know I didn’t always show it, but yes, Neville, I’m proud of you,” she said seriously. “You remind me so much of Frank.”

“Then...” Neville was confused. “Why did you kick me out when I brought Cho to see you?”

“I didn’t kick you out,” she said defensively. “You walked out.”

“After you basically said you’d never accept Cho into our family.” Neville replied. “I wouldn’t have brought her home to meet you if she hadn’t been important to me and you basically threw that back in my face.”

“You would see it that way, wouldn’t you?” she asked, pulling her green robes tight around her.

“Gran,” Neville said. “I don’t know why you wouldn’t even get to know her. She’s my wife now, and nothing in this world can change that. Cho’s an amazing person who’s had some tough breaks in life and she’s working hard on changing that.”

“Perhaps I may have misjudged her,” Mrs. Longbottom said. “But I honestly had your best interest at heart, Neville. She’s a very beautiful girl. She’s the type of girl I’d expect to see with someone like Harry, Neville.”

“And Harry’s with someone else that he loves very much.” Neville stared at his grandmother. “Besides, the fact that she’s gorgeous means she shouldn’t be with me?”

“We obviously aren’t going to see eye to eye on this,” she said. “I don’t want to argue with you, Neville. This isn’t the time or the place for it.”

“I agree,” Neville pecked his grandmother on the cheek. “Happy Christmas Gran, I hope you have a nice day tomorrow.”

“Happy Christmas to you,” she said with a slight smile. With one last look at her grandson, she turned on her heel and walked down the corridor and around the corner.

Neville was shaking his head as he went back into the ward. “Sorry about that,” he muttered.

“Is everything okay?” Cho asked closing the magazine she’d been absently flipping through.

“Not really, but it’s not the time to worry about it now,” Neville grasped her hand.

“Ready to introduce me to your parents?” she asked giving him a smile.

“I am,” Neville kissed the back of her hand as he led her down between the beds to a curtained area with the name ‘Longbottom’ marked on a sign.

Cho had to stifle a gasp so her husband wouldn’t hear it as she laid eyes on Frank and Alice Longbottom. They sat huddled together on one of the beds, a photo album open in front of them. Alice, with one hand in her grey, frizzled hair would point the finger of her other hand at a picture and Frank would grin and make several warbling noises in his throat.

“Hi Mum, hi Dad…” Neville said. His parents looked up and he could see the confusion in their eyes- they were trying to place him in their thoughts. He was not fazed by this, as it happened every time he came to visit. He squeezed Cho’s hand. “It’ll be okay in a minute,” he said softly to her.

Alice got up, her dirty nightgown falling to her ankles as she smiled at Neville, coming forward to cup his face in her hands. He let go of Cho to give his mother a hug as Frank struggled to his feet, and reached over to pat his son on the back, making that same noise in his throat.

Cho bit her lower lip and took a deep breath to fight back her tears at the scene in front of her. She knew about Neville’s parents and what had been done to them but seeing them here, still able to recognise their son deep down, touched her. Her own parents had been killed in her sixth year before Harry had defeated You Know Who so she considered anyone who did have parents quite lucky.

“Mum, Dad…” Neville had extracted himself from his parents grip. “I’d like you to meet my wife Cho.” He motioned for her to come forwards.

“Hello,” Cho said her voice small. “It’s… lovely to meet you Mrs. Longbottom, Mr. Longbottom.” She wasn’t sure what else she could say.

Alice looked at her, a smile growing timidly on her face as her thin hand reached out and touched Cho’s smooth cheek. Cho let her do it, and was surprised when Alice hugged her.

Neville smiled as his father returned to the bed, looking up at Cho and then back at his son. Frank picked up the photo album held it up. “He wants us to sit down by him,” Neville whispered to Cho, who nodded as Alice grabbed onto her hand.

The four of them sat down, the younger couple in between the older two. Frank began to turn through the books, his hands shaking as he did so. “That’s when I was born,” Neville narrated. “And this was my first birthday…” his voice trailed off for a moment and he coughed. “And um… my Gran took this one as we left for Hogwarts for the first time…”

“There’s me,” Cho smiled, reaching over with her free hand to point to her younger self near the edge of the photograph. “It’s amazing to think of ourselves being so young isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Neville said quietly. “Here… here’s from Christmas one year when I stayed at Hogwarts…” a younger Harry, Ron, Seamus and Neville grinned back at them, pushing each other around. Frank made another warbling sound and pointed from his son to the younger version of Neville in the photo. “That’s right Dad, that’s me.”

Cho felt her heart break nearly in two as Neville continued to go through the album. Alice was still clutching onto her hand and looking at her adoringly and she forced a smile onto her face through her tears for the other woman’s benefit.

They had been in there a half hour when they finally finished going through the album. “We should get going,” Neville said, handing his father the book.

“Okay,” Cho replied, her voice tiny. Alice, still holding onto her hand, pulled Cho over to the single nightstand sitting between the beds. She opened the drawer and extracted two empty wrappers for Droobles Best Blowing gum.

Alice gave one wrapper to Cho, pressing it into her hand while smiling lovingly at her and then went to Neville, handing him the other in much the same manner.

“Thanks Mum,” Neville kissed her cheek. “Love you.” Alice smiled at him and touched the spot where her son had kissed her.

Cho was again surprised when Alice Longbottom hugged her as Neville was saying goodbye to his father. She wished so much that Frank and Alice could truly know their son as he was now, a very kind, mature and loving man.

Neville took her hand as Alice moved her eyes down to Cho’s pregnant stomach. An excited ‘ooh’ escaped from her lips as she touched it with both her hands.

It was hard for both Neville and Cho to keep their eyes dry as Alice leaned over and kissed the bump; Frank left his album behind to come see what had his wife so excited and made his warble again, nodding as he smiled at his son.

Cho was barely outside the hospital when her tears let loose. “Oh Neville why didn’t you ever tell me?” she asked.

“What could I say?” he asked. “I never really got to know them… and it was always sort of a private thing for me and Gran.”

“I’m so sorry,” Cho sniffed.

Neville brushed away her tears with his thumbs. “It’s okay,” he smiled at her. “Besides, I think my Mum likes you. She never normally shows so much emotion, not for anyone.”

“Really?” Cho asked.

“Mmhmm,” Neville nodded. He leaned in and kissed his wife, cupping her face with his hands. “I sort of feel like… she’s blessed our baby. She knew you were pregnant and it excited her.”

Cho leaned against her husband as they began to walk away. “Thank you for bringing me with you,” she said quietly. “I’d like to go again sometime if you want to take me with you.”

“You would?” Neville asked.

“Yes,” she answered, kissing him on the cheek. “We share everything now remember? From burdens to blessings.”

“From burdens to blessings,” Neville echoed. He looked down at her as they walked. “Thank you,” he said simply.

“For what?” Cho asked.

“For everything,” Neville replied.

20. Chapter 20

Author's note: It's finally Christmas Day in the DD universe and we hope that you all enjoy it. We were tempted to withhold this chapter until December, but figured you'd hunt us down and we didn't want to live out our own version of the "Misery" book & movie. Everyone's favourite psycho isn't in this chapter, but if you'd like to know who we'd cast in the role if this was a movie...it's Jude Law (one of Amy's favourites and Heaven's too!). We hope you like this chapter and please review!

On Christmas morning, Hermione awoke first. She couldn’t believe it was finally here. She and Harry had stayed up late the night before wrapping presents and watching movies. He was still asleep as she climbed out of bed and walked over to the window. She nearly gasped as she saw that snow had started to fall.

They were going to have a white Christmas after all. Everything was falling in to place just as she planned. So far, nothing had gone wrong. Although she wasn’t a superstitious person, she couldn’t resist knocking on the wooden bureau door.

She walked into the bathroom and brushed her teeth and tamed her hair as best she could. Her cotton pyjamas were warm and cosy and she didn’t want to change out of them just yet. Besides, it wasn’t a true Christmas morning unless you were still dressed in your pyjamas opening up presents. Everyone knew that.

Not being able to take it anymore, she bounded onto the bed again and at the top of her lungs said, “HAPPY CHRISTMAS, HARRY!” She laughed as he nearly shot out of bed.

“Bloody hell!” Harry said, rubbing his eyes blearily. “That’s really not the way I prefer to be awakened Hermione.”

Hermione tugged the duvet cover away from him, but he was stubbornly hanging on, not yet ready to get out of bed. “Come on, sleepyhead,” she said excitedly. “It’s Christmas!”

“And it’s cold as hell in here,” Harry replied. “Come on back under here for a minute.”

“It’s snowing,” she said bobbing up and down on her knees. “Come on! You can’t seriously want to spend the entire morning in bed, do you?”

Harry only grinned at her as he slid his glasses on his nose. “I can’t think of any better Christmas present you could give me than that.”

Hermione pulled a serious face and got off the bed and walked over to Harry’s side, yanked off the duvet cover and held out her hand.

“What?” Harry looked back at her, grabbing for the cover.

“No you don’t,” Hermione said, pulling it back before he could get it. “Come on downstairs so we can open up our presents...”

“All right,” Harry finally said. “I was only teasing you, you know.”

“I know,” she said throwing a sweatshirt at him. He was wearing only his pyjama bottoms. “Wouldn’t want you to freeze, would we?”

“Have we got any tea left?” Harry asked.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “But, we do have some hot chocolate. I can go downstairs and warm some up while you make yourself presentable.” Hermione waved her hand in front of her face and scrunched up her nose. “Didn’t want to say anything but you have horrible morning breath.”

“And I was going to go brush my teeth but maybe now I’ll make you suffer,” Harry said sarcastically.

“Go brush your teeth, Scrooge,” Hermione said, putting on her slippers. “I’ll meet you downstairs.”

Harry couldn’t resist giving her arse a little squeeze as she walked ahead of him down the hallway. She squealed and gave him a dirty look that melted into a grin, making him chuckle as he went into the loo. He couldn’t think of a Christmas he’d ever looked forward to more than this one.

He quickly took care of business and went quietly downstairs. Hermione was at the stove, stirring the hot chocolate, adding a few marshmallows. “Happy Christmas!” Harry grabbed her around the waist.

“That’s more like it,” she said, grinning as he nuzzled her neck.

“But someone still owes me a proper good morning,” Harry said.

“I do, don’t I?” she asked turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck. Pressing her lips to his, she ran her fingers through his hair. When they broke apart a few moments later, Hermione smiled. “Much better.”

“Yes, much,” Harry replied. “And I know you’re ready to open presents,” he teased.

Hermione nodded eagerly. After she and Harry grabbed a couple of muffins and brought their hot chocolate into the living room, Hermione sat down in front of the Christmas tree.

“I feel almost like a child again,” she said grinning excitedly at him. “When I was little, I used to try and stay awake all night on Christmas Eve so I could catch Santa Claus in the act. I always fell asleep though.”

Harry smiled at her. “I never really believed in Santa Claus,” he said thoughtfully as he started a small fire in the fireplace. “I suppose growing up and watching Dudley unwrap one gift after another sort of made me think he didn’t exist- and then I got to Hogwarts and our gifts always ‘mysteriously’ appeared on our beds before we got up in the morning...” he shrugged. “But I always dreamed of a Christmas morning like this one, nice and quiet, with the woman I love.”

“Harry,” she said, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. “You’re going to have many Christmases like this one. I don’t know how quiet they’ll always be...”

“As long as they’re with you nothing else matters to me,” Harry replied. “But now’s not the time for tears,” he brushed them away.

She nodded. “That’s right...it’s present time. Who gets to go first?”

“You do,” Harry reached under the tree and selected a medium size box. He watched with a smile as Hermione squealed and tore into the paper. Inside was a very soft thick ivory cashmere jumper that he knew she would love.

“Harry,” she said looking up at him with twinkling eyes. “This is so beautiful.”

“I knew you had to have it,” Harry said. “You can wear it in class when the room gets cold,” he leaned over for a quick kiss.

She smiled as he handed her another beautifully wrapped box and she opened it to find a sterling silver framed photograph of the two of them. It was a Muggle photograph of two of them dancing at the Sheldrake.

“Where did you get this?” she asked, looking up at him.

“I have my sources,” Harry said. “Had to do a bit of hunting... but that was sort of our first unofficial date.”

“Yes, it was,” she whispered, touching the frame. “I’ll never forget that night.”

“Me either,” Harry grinned.

She placed the frame on the coffee table and noticed a smaller package in Harry’s hands. “Is that for me, too?”

“Why yes it is,” Harry replied, handing it to her. “I don’t know many other Hermione’s that I’d be giving gifts to today.”

She laughed. “I didn’t want to just assume.”

He grinned as Hermione removed the wrapping from the box, sipping his hot chocolate as he anticipated her reaction. “Oh...” her voice died. “Harry....”

“It’s a Claddagh ring,” he set his mug down. “I assume, that you, the brainiac would know how it works,” Harry teased.

Hermione gave him a look. “Yes, smart arse, I do.” She replied. “If I wear the heart facing upside down, it means I’m available. But since I’m most assuredly not single, I wear it right side up.”

“That’s my girl,” Harry slid it onto her right hand ring finger.

“Alright, mister,” she said after admiring her new ring for a few moments, reaching under the tree and pulling out a few packages. “Your turn.”

Harry accepted the gift, tearing eagerly like a young boy, leaving the wrapping paper in tatters on the floor. “Hey...” he lifted a crew neck jumper from the box; it was soft like the one he’d given her only his was camel coloured rather than ivory. “This is fantastic!”

“Great minds think alike,” she said, winking at him.

“That they do,” Harry kissed his girlfriend. “I’ll wear it today.”

Hermione slid another box in his direction and she giggled as she watched him shake the box. “Quit shaking it and open it,” she said, biting her bottom lip.

“Yes dear,” Harry replied. It was a much smaller box than the other and he could swear Hermione was nervous about giving this one to him, as she was fiddling with the ring he’d just given her and looking on anxiously.

“Wow,” Harry’s eyes widened as he opened the small box and saw a sterling silver ID bracelet with thick, masculine chain links on either side of the panel inside. He plucked it from the box and saw his full name engraved on one side.

“Look underneath it,” Hermione said.

Harry did as he was told and he grinned when he saw ‘Forever yours, Hermione’ engraved there. “I love it,” he said. “I absolutely love it!”

“You do?” she asked. “I wasn’t sure if you’d like it or not, but I thought I’d take the chance...”

“It’s perfect!” Harry tried to fasten it and Hermione had to help him. “You’ve staked your claim on me now.” He teased. “You got me to wear jewellery.”

“So I didn’t really have you before?” she asked trying not to laugh.

“You always had me,” Harry pulled her onto his lap. “Now everyone that didn’t know it before will realise it too.”

“Good,” Hermione kissed him lovingly. “Can’t have those other witches thinking they’ve got a chance with you.”

“They don’t?” Harry joked. “Better cancel my dates for tomorrow night then.”

“There’s only one witch you have a date with tomorrow night and that witch is me,” Hermione said playfully.

“Right,” Harry leaned in for a slow, drugging kiss. Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck as she opened her mouth under his.

He tasted like the hot chocolate they’d been drinking and the mint toothpaste they both used, and it was so utterly and adorably Harry that Hermione almost felt tears come to her eyes again. She wasn’t sure exactly what was wrong with her- most likely just the spirit of the holiday making her emotions run wild- but when he finally pulled away she held onto him for a few extra moments.

“What is it?” Harry pushed back a lock of her hair. “You’re crying again…”

“Sorry,” Hermione replied, burying her face in his shoulder. “I’m just really happy that we’re here together. Sometimes I still can’t believe we made everything work out the way we have.”

Harry smiled as he hugged her tightly. “It sure hasn’t been smooth sailing has it?”

“Not really… but as long as we can keep having moments like these I think we can take anything that comes our way.”

“That’s right,” Harry kissed her softly. “What say we finish unwrapping these presents at your mum and dad’s house and for now, let’s hop in the shower?”

Hermione laughed. “Such a one track mind Potter, but I agree.”

*** *** ***

Hermione laughed as she handed identical gifts to her father and Harry. “I think you’ll both like these,” she said mischievously.

Harry grinned at her as he tore open the paper. “Oh Hermione, you really shouldn’t have,” he shook his head as he lifted an apron that said Chef Junior written on it.

“Yes dear, you really shouldn’t have,” Robert also lifted one, only his said Chef Senior. “Senior indeed,” he grunted, making his wife and niece shriek in laughter.

"Uncle Robert, if it wasn't for you we'd all have gone hungry tonight," Lavender said patting him on the back.

"That's right," Hermione grinned at her father. "That was the best Christmas supper we've had in a long time."

"It must be something in our genes," Elinore said to her niece and daughter. "Now that I think of it, none of the women in our family can cook. Lucky for us, we all married men who could."

"Or will," Hermione shared a secret smile with Harry, who put the apron back in the box and put it aside. "Who's next?"

"Harry's still got another one under here," Lavender said, pulling a wrapped package out from under the tree. The package had an envelope on top of it. Lavender handed it to Harry, who opened up the card first. Inside were gift slips to a number of Harry's favourite wizarding shops.

"Robert and I weren't really sure what to get you, but we thought this way you could get what you wanted," Elinore said to him. "Hermione helped us out, of course."

"Oh this is perfect!" Harry looked through the stack. "Quality Quidditch, Madam Malkin's... " he grinned at Lavender. "Thank you both," he hugged Elinore and after a slight moment's hesitation, hugged Robert as well. "These will come in very handy."

"You're quite welcome," Elinore said smiling at him. "Don't forget the present. That's from Robert."

Harry pulled the paper off the parcel and began to laugh. "Golf for Dummies," he read out loud, Robert chortling heartily at the look on Harry's face.

Hermione was trying hard not to laugh herself. "That's really nice Uncle Robert," Lavender was giggling.

"Well, I figured he could use all the help he could get," Robert said. "Read up on that Harry and I guarantee you'll be great come March and April when we can get back out there."

"Can't wait," Harry's eyes twinkled. "Of course you know, this might help me beat you..." he joked.

"That sounds like a challenge, Dad," Hermione said.

"I'm always up for a challenge," Robert grinned. "I'll take you on out on the course anytime Harry."

"You've got yourself a deal," Harry said, shaking Robert's hand. He looked over at Seamus, who'd been conspicuously quiet throughout the entire conversation. "Hey, Finnigan...care to join in on the challenge?"

Seamus held up his hands. "No offence Potter, but I've heard stories about you out there. Don't want to show you up any more than you've done for yourself."

"You're not going to let him get off that easy are you, Harry?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "I'll beat the both of you out there next time we golf," he said airily. "Have your fun at my expense now," he grinned to let them know he wasn't serious.

"Dr. Granger, if you think Harry's bad at golf, you should see him at wizard's chess. Harry, how many games is it that you've lost now?" Seamus asked with a wink at Lavender.

"What is this, pick on Potter day?" Harry asked. "Hermione defend me on something!"

Hermione looked thoughtful. "I'm thinking...."

"Thanks," Harry said sarcastically. "How about I take your next gift back to the store instead of giving it to you?"

Hermione looked at him. "Gift...what gift? Are you saying you got me something else, too?"

"Yes," Harry handed her the small box.

"You're just full of surprises today, aren't you?" she asked him as Lavender stood up from the sofa and stood behind Hermione to get a better look at the gift. Hermione slowly unwrapped the present and opened it up to see a beautiful silver heart shaped locket. "Harry..." she whispered.

"Open it," he said, sliding an arm over her shoulder as she let the paper drop to the floor.

Hermione gingerly picked up the locket from the box and opened it.

"Oooh," Lavender was the first to say something as the picture inside appeared. "I've heard about these lockets! Where did you find one Harry?"

"In Hogsmeade," Harry replied. "They're a special kind of locket that shows the person you're thinking of and what they're doing at that very moment," he explained to Robert and Elinore.

Hermione felt her lower lip begin to tremble again.

"Here we go," Robert joked. "Harry, you know you've done well with a present when you've reduced her to tears."

"She's been crying all day for some reason or another," Harry teased her gently.

"I get emotional over the holidays," Hermione said defensively. "And you're certainly not helping things being all wonderful like you are."

"Mr. Wonderful," Lavender said under her breath. Harry, Robert and Seamus began to laugh as Hermione shot her a dirty look.

"I promise that the waterworks are done for now," she said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She looked at Harry. "Will you help me put it on?"

"Of course," Harry fastened the chain, letting his fingers brush over her skin as Seamus got up from his spot on the sofa.

"How's it look?" she asked, turning around.

"Perfect," Harry said, chancing a quick kiss on the lips from her.

"Thank you," Hermione whispered.

"How about you now," Seamus smiled at Lavender. "I'm afraid it's not as fancy as that locket but I think you'll like this." he gave her a box only slightly larger than the one Harry had just given Hermione.

Lavender smiled at him as she began to open the present. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked at what was inside. A few weeks ago, she and Seamus had been walking in downtown London when they passed a display window that had a beautiful bracelet with heart shaped links. He's laughed at her when she'd just stared in the window at it transfixed.

"You remembered?" she asked, looking up at him with twinkling eyes. "But you made fun of me for looking at it so long..."

"I had to throw you off the trail somehow," Seamus teased her.

"Lavender, that's gorgeous," Hermione said admiring it. "Well done, Seamus."

"Thank you," he grinned at Harry. "I was hoping she wouldn't grab one for herself before I got the chance to give it to her."

"Madam Malkin doesn't pay me that well yet," Lavender said, admiring the bracelet. "This bracelet was made for my wrist."

"Aye," Seamus grinned as she hugged him tightly. "Glad you like it," he choked out.

Everyone laughed. "Oh!" Lavender exclaimed suddenly, abruptly pulling away from him. "I have something for you too!" She walked over to the tree and pulled out the last package under the tree and struggled to pick it up. "It's a little heavy," she said.

"What did you buy me, dead weights?" Seamus joked.

"No," she retorted. "Harry, could you help me?"

Harry laughed as he easily picked up the box. "If Neville were here that would probably topple him over."

"I'll remember to tell him you said that," Seamus said, laughing as Harry set the box down in front of him.

"Okay," Lavender said, sitting down beside him. "I wasn't sure what to get you, but Hermione and I went to this book shop in London and I saw all these books and I just knew that you had to have them and if you already have them it's okay, you could tell me, and we can just return them..."

"Lav," Hermione said, biting her lip to keep from giggling. "Take a breath."

"How about I open it first?" Seamus smiled at his girlfriend. Robert sat back along the other sofa, smiling at his wife and happy to see his daughter and his niece so happy with their respective others.

"Okay," Lavender said blushing. She watched with baited breath as Seamus began to open the box.

"Wow!" his eyes grew wide. He lifted out several thick tomes, with titles describing various things he would need to know for lighting, directing, sets, even a book or two on costuming and blocking. "How did you know I could use all these?"

"You don't have them already?" she asked.

"No I've been looking for a couple of them for quite awhile now though." he grinned at her.

"I'm so glad you like them," she said relieved, giving him a chaste kiss.

"Only a few more left," Elinore said as Hermione began to stuff discarded wrapping paper into a bag.

"There should be one more for Hermione," Harry said.

Hermione looked up from the bag and stared at him in disbelief. "Harry James Potter, what else did you get me?"

Harry smiled at her as Robert also got on his knees. "There should be one more for Elinore as well." he pawed through the wrapping paper until he held two packages in his hands.

"What did you do?" Elinore asked, raising an eyebrow at her husband.

"Open up," he handed one to his wife and the other to his daughter. "These feel about the same weight Harry," he looked at the younger man curiously.

"Curious," Harry said, shrugging.

Hermione and her mother exchanged looks. "Should we open them together or should one of us go first?" Hermione asked,

"Let's just open them together," Elinore was too eager to wait and she knew Hermione was the same way.

Hermione nodded. "Okay...one, two, three," she said, as she and her mother began to unwrap the gifts simultaneously.

Hermione smiled as she saw it was a book. She knew Harry wouldn't have let the day go by without getting her a book. Her smile faltered a bit when she caught sight of the title. "The Absolute Beginner's Cookbook: Or, How Long Do I Cook a 3-minute Egg?" Hermione read aloud the title.

Elinore looked at her own book and read that title aloud. "Cooking for Dummies."

Harry and Robert began to laugh, as did Lavender when she caught sight of the titles. "You bought them how-to cookbooks!" the blonde was giggling so hard she had to sit down.

"Did the two of you go in on this together?" Elinore asked, looking between her husband and Harry.

"No," Harry began to laugh harder. "As Hermione said earlier, great minds think alike!"

Hermione stood up and walked over to her boyfriend and gave him a hug. "You remember that night you slept on the sofa?" she whispered.

Harry smiled calmly at her. "And this time you can cook breakfast as an apology," he grinned endearingly at her.

"You are so lucky you did so well with everything else," she said, laughing despite herself. "I can't believe you and Dad got the same gift for Mum and me. I guess you're both a lot more alike than you thought."

"Guess so," Harry pulled her down next to him.

"Oh, Harry," Elinore said. "I meant to tell you that your aunt and uncle sent us a card and fruitcake for Christmas."

"You call that thing fruitcake?" Lavender asked, shaking her head. "Aunt Elinore, it was as hard as a brick!"

"So maybe Petunia should have gotten a copy of this book as well," Elinore joked.

"Don't tell me you ate any of it," Harry said, shuddering. "I remember she used to make me eat it and I nearly chipped a tooth on it."

"Harry we couldn't even slice into it," Robert replied. "I used my sharpest chopping knife and it barely made a dent."

"Not to mention that horrible card with their family portrait on it," Lavender said. "Happy family my arse."

"Can I see it?" Harry asked interestedly.

"Sure," Lavender said, getting to her feet and walking over to the table by the door. She opened up a drawer and pulled the card out. Handing it over to Harry, she couldn't help remarking that it was hard to believe they were related to Harry.

"I can't believe that Dudley's gotten even larger," Harry commented.

"That IS hard to believe," Hermione winced as she thought about Dudley stepping on her feet all the time during the summer holiday.

"I'm sorry for ever trying to push him on you, Hermione," Robert said sincerely to his daughter.

"All's well that ends well Dad," Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder. "My feet have survived."

"I don't know what you were thinking, Uncle Robert," Lavender said. "He was absolutely hideous."

"Forgive me," Robert smiled. "Well now that presents are out of the way, who wants some dessert?"

"It's not that fruitcake, is it?" Seamus asked, following his girlfriend and Robert and Elinore into the kitchen. Harry and Hermione stayed in the living room, enjoying the warmth from the fireplace.

"This was such a good Christmas," Harry said softly.

"It's not over yet," she said, her head still resting on his shoulder.

"What more is there?" Harry asked, his arms sneaking around her.

"If I told you, it'd spoil the surprise," she said huskily.

"Hint?" Harry asked.

"You remember that bath stuff Lavender gave me," she said. "I was thinking that we have that nice big bathtub at home and..."

Harry grinned. "When do we leave?" he asked jokingly.

"After dessert, why don't you start talking about how knackered you are," she suggested. "Then, I'll say how we really hate to break up the party, but we have to get home."

"Are we having pumpkin pie?" Harry asked.

"I think so," she said curiously. "Why?"

"Well we'll definitely have to stay for a slice or two of that," Harry replied.

"Of course," Hermione said, giggling. "Wouldn't want to miss out on that."

He got up from the sofa, holding onto her hand as they went into the kitchen. "Can we help with anything?" Harry asked.

"Translation: give me a piece of pie," Seamus said cheekily.

"Hey I do my fair share in the kitchen," Harry defended himself. "Much better than Bachelor Seamus over there."

"Boys, boys, boys," Lavender said, laughing as she sliced Harry and Hermione each a piece of pie.

"Thank you Lav," Harry said, handing the first slice to his girlfriend.

Hermione took a bite. "Mmm....we could have just eaten this tonight and I'd have been happy."

Harry grinned at her. "This is a fantastic pie." he agreed.

"There's plenty here," Elinore said. "You're more than welcome to take some home with you."

"Don't tell him that or he'll take half the pie," Robert joked.

"Robert," Elinore said, nudging her husband. "If Harry wants to take the pie home, he's more than welcome to...he's...he's part of our family now."

Hermione grinned at that and she squeezed Harry's hand under the table. "Thank you, Dr. Granger," Harry replied.

Lavender shook her head, a small smile on her face. She was deliriously happy- both for her cousin and herself.

"What are you grinning about Miss Brown?" Seamus asked her.

"Everything," Lavender replied pertly. "Why, are you complaining about my smile?" she teased.

He shook his head. "Not at all. I love that smile."

"Good," Lavender replied.

After everyone had a second serving of pie, Hermione kicked Harry's foot under the table.

On cue, Harry let out a loud yawn. "Boy am I knackered. Hermione woke me up at the crack of dawn this morning to open presents."

"She was always like that on Christmas morning," Robert recalled. "She'd come barrelling into the room waking us all up and dragging us out of bed."

"So not much has changed aye?" Harry teased. "She also nearly screamed my ear off because it was snowing."

"How you can't get excited on Christmas morning is beyond me," Hermione said, shaking her head.

"Maybe next Christmas I'll be a little more excited." Harry grinned at her. "This was the first one I've ever had with a family."

"First of many," Elinore chimed in smiling at Harry.

Hermione nodded. "That's for sure." she got up from her chair, Harry following suit.

As she walked by Lavender and Seamus, Hermione swore she heard them say "rabbits" under their breath. As she leaned down to give her cousin a goodbye hug, Lavender whispered in her ear, "You're no more tired than I am and you know it."

"Yes but I'm getting out of here sooner," Hermione smirked. "Bet you wish you'd thought of that."

"You're right," Lavender said, nodding. She stood up and pecked Harry on the cheek and wished him a Happy Christmas as Hermione did the same to Seamus.

Minutes later found Harry and Hermione walking briskly down the pavement. "We got out of there pretty smoothly," Harry said, shifting the bag of gifts to his other hand so he could wrap his arm around Hermione.

"I don't think we fooled anyone though," she said, with a laugh.

"I thought I heard Lavender and Seamus say rabbits," Harry joked.

"That they did," Hermione said. "I think they're just mad they didn't think of it first."

"I'm sure they were," Harry said. "That's why I'm glad to have the brainy one on my side."

"That the only reason?" she asked.

Harry grinned at her. "Far from the only reason." It had started to snow again a little while they were eating dessert and the tiny flakes fell on her eyelashes. “You’re also the most gorgeous woman I’ve ever seen as well as the most intelligent and I’m the luckiest bloke alive when you say you love me.”

Hermione smiled. “I love you,” she said.

“Lucky bloke!” Harry raised his arm off her shoulder and pumped it in the air, making her laugh.

She stopped and turned to him, placing her hand on his chest. “Thank you,” she said.

“For what?” he asked.

“For everything you gave me today.” Hermione replied. “Just… for being you and…” her voice trailed off as she kissed him. “I love you so much is all.”

“I love you very much too,” Harry said huskily, setting the bag down so he could pull her to him and kiss her properly. “And thank you for giving me the best Christmas holiday I could have ever asked for.”

“You’re welcome,” Hermione kissed him again quickly. “Now how about we get back and use those bath oils?” her eyes were already dark with desire.

“Sounds great to me,” Harry hugged her closely before picking up the bag again, sliding his gloved hand around hers.

*** *** ***

Christmas at the Burrow was as lively and festive as ever. Nearly everyone had made it home for the holiday, save for Ginny and Percy. Molly had kept herself busy with preparations to keep her mind off their absences. Luckily, she'd had her hands full with her grandchildren and her twin sons who were as mischievous as ever.

Most everyone was staying over for the night, except for Luna and her dad who were going to be heading home later. The evening had been quite a success and Luna's dad had hit it off with Arthur. At the moment, they were in Arthur's study going over some of the Muggle artefacts Arthur had collected.

Luna sat in front of the fire with Ron, both drinking mugs of hot chocolate. Everyone else was in the kitchen. "I'm really glad that you invited Daddy and me," Luna said smiling as she rested her head on Ron's shoulder.

"I'm glad you came," Ron put his arms around her.

"I really like it here," she said dreamily. "I always have. You're so lucky that you grew up in a place like this. The first time I walked in here, I felt at home."

Ron smiled. "It's the only home I've ever known," he said. "And I'm glad it means as much to do as it does to me."

She smiled as she listened to the sounds of the crackling fire intermingling with the distant sounds of voices and laughter coming from the kitchen. "Thank you for my present," Luna said, looking down at the puppy that was sitting at the end of the sofa. "I've always wanted a dog."

Ron grinned as the chocolate lab barked. "What are you going to name him?"

"Hmmm," she said, laughing as the dog came and sat on her lap. "Any ideas?"

"It's your pup," Ron laughed as the dog eagerly licked his fingers when he rubbed between its ears. "My names all revolve around snack foods."

"Well," Luna said, thoughtfully. "If you want to go that way, how about Brownie? Biscuit?"

Ron laughed. "Chocolate, vanilla," he teased.

"Don't start...you'll just want to go raid the kitchen again," Luna laughed. "Maybe, I should name him something that is symbolic of our relationship?"

Ron grinned. "Butterbeer cork?"

"Shut up, you," she said, hitting him on the arm. "I'm serious...maybe something with dancing...let's see...mambo, tango, rumba, salsa...."

"Mumbo jumbo," Ron still teased. "If Harry gave Hermione a dog they could name it Rabbit."

"I've got it!" Luna said suddenly, sitting up so abruptly she startled both the puppy and Ron.

"What?" Ron asked as the puppy scampered into his arms.

"Don't laugh," she said, shaking her head. "But what would you think about Paddington?"

Ron grinned. "What say you fellow? You like your name?" He held up the puppy in front of him, laughing as the dog wagged its tail back and forth furiously. "I think he likes it.... hey!" he said as something cold hit his chest. "It's peeing on me!"

Luna dissolved into a fit of laughter at the look on Ron's face as he held Paddington away from him.

"Great," Ron moaned. "Does this mean Paddington likes me or hates me?" he passed the wriggling puppy to Luna.

"I think it means he likes you," Luna said, still giggling. The puppy rested its head on her lap. "He just needs to be trained is all, Ron."

Ron, still muttering, grabbed his wand. "There," he said his jumper now dry. "You found that hilarious didn't you," he sat back down, the puppy looking up him with his head resting on his overly large paws.

"I don't know about him, but I sure did," Luna teased.

"Cute," Ron leaned forwards for a kiss.

Luna pressed her lips to his and they kissed for a few moments until Ron's stomach growling interrupted them. "How could you still be hungry after all that you ate?" she asked, pulling away from him.

"I'm a big boy," he grinned at her.

"This has really been a great Christmas," she said, resting her head on his shoulder again.

"That it has," he scratched between Paddington's ears. He wondered briefly if he should tell Luna about his plans or if it was too soon- they hadn't even been officially back together for a week.

She felt him tense up a bit and she lifted her head and looked at him. "Is everything okay?" she asked concerned.

"Its fine," Ron smiled at her.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "Because you've looked all night as if you've been on the verge of telling me something..."

"Well..." Ron sat up straight. "I'm trying to think of the best way to say this without messing it up like I did before."

"It's just me, Ron," Luna said with a reassuring smile. "You can tell me anything, right?"

"Well..." Ron drummed his fingers nervously on the rug. "Remember... how we kept getting into fights because I said I didn't want us to get serious and all that rubbish?"

"Yes," Luna answered. "I remember."

"That really didn't come out right," he reached out to stroke Paddington's soft fur. "What I meant to say..." Ron said slowly. "Before... you and I take any really serious steps... I thought maybe we should..."

Luna felt a lurch in her stomach...he couldn't be so cruel as to set her up like this and then knock her right back down again, could he? "Yes..." she said weakly.

"I was thinking we should try living together," Ron said in a rush.

"If you think I'm just going to let you..." she said quickly, but her voice trailed off. Pulling a confused face, she stared at him. "W-what did you just say?"

"Am I too soon in asking you this?" Ron asked.

Luna's mouth opened, but closed again. She couldn't have heard him right. "Um…did you just ask me to move in with you?"

"Well... yeah..." Ron said sheepishly. "I know I don't have a place yet but I've been looking for one, and I've been saving up- that's why I never wanted to go out. I wanted it to be a surprise but--"

"Why didn't you tell me that's what you were doing?" she asked softly. "If I had known that was why, I wouldn't have..."

"Well you know that my brain and my mouth don't always connect," Ron tried to joke.

"But you didn't have to save up all by yourself, Ron," Luna said seriously. "I wouldn't expect you to pay for it all on your own. We're in this relationship together."

"So..." Ron pulled Paddington off Luna's lap. "You want to give this a go? You want to look around and find the perfect place for us?"

"This is all pretty soon," Luna answered. "I might need some time to think about it."

"That's fine," Ron said. "Take all the time you need... I just didn't want to keep any secrets between us. Not this time," he stroked her cheek.

A smile played at Luna's lips. "Okay...I've thought about it."

Ron laughed. "So soon Ms. Lovegood?"

"Yes, you daft git," Luna said giggling. "I guess you, me and Paddington here could definitely find a place that's big enough for the three of us."

Ron leaned forward not giving her a chance to catch her breath as he kissed her. "Let's take our time and look around," he said when they pulled back.

"Definitely," Luna agreed.

21. Chapter 21

A/N: Well you all seemed to enjoy those two Gordon free chapters, so we both hesitate to say he’s back in this one… so we’re not telling you ;) But you’ll all see anyways haha

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to review, your feedback is fantastic and we both appreciate your comments!

Bit of a cliffie ending on this one as well, so enjoy and we’ll see you all on Tuesday!

“I really wish you didn’t have to go,” Hermione buried her face in Harry’s neck. “So bloody soon after the holidays and Cho is so close to giving birth.”

“Yeah, Neville’s not at all happy about being gone right now,” Harry kissed her. “And I’m glad you offered to have her stay here. She doesn’t want to leave their new place but it’s better to have someone around since you still have time off.”

“Right,” Hermione hugged him. “Well… let’s get you packed up shall we?”

“Okay,” Harry was unenthused.

"Maybe it won't be so bad," Hermione said supportively, as they trudged upstairs to the bedroom. "I've been to Madrid before...it's really a great city."

"I'd rather go there with you," Harry answered.

Hermione giggled. "We'll have to make it a point to go sometime then," she replied.

"That's what we should do," Harry said, smiling at her. "When you're done with school and I'm done with training, we should just travel somewhere and do absolutely nothing."

"Hmm," Hermione laughed. "By then I may be Minister for Magic though Mr. Potter."

"You know what they say about all work and no play," he said, winking at her as he went over to the closet and pulled out his suitcase.

"There's not a soul in the world that could call me dull," Hermione hugged one of his jumpers to her. "Especially since you've managed to teach me some of the finer points of life," she joked.

"Taught you it was okay to get your nose out of those books every once in awhile, didn't I?" he asked her.

"And I've taught you that it's okay to keep your nose IN the books every once in awhile," Hermione retorted playfully.

"So we balance each other out," Harry said, reaching for her and kissing her hungrily. He didn't know how he was going to spend an entire week away from her. "I don't have to leave for another hour and a half..."

"Let's put that time to good use," Hermione said. "Once of course we finish packing you up."

"Why put off what we both want to do now?" he asked her, tugging at the bottom of her jumper. "Never knew you to be a procrastinator."

"Harry...." she drew out the last letter of his name as he pulled her jumper off.

"You were saying..?" he asked. From downstairs the doorbell chimed once, twice, then three more times. Harry groaned as his hand was about to unhook Hermione's bra. "Why is it that someone always comes round just when you and I are getting to the best part?" he asked, resting his forehead on hers.

"I don't know," Hermione grumbled. "Should we ignore whoever it is?"

The doorbell chimed again and Harry swore under his breath. "Doesn't seem as if they're going to let us."

"Damn it," Hermione said. "Don’t they know I only have a little bit of time left with you?"

"I'll finish packing and you go downstairs and get rid of whoever it is," Harry suggested, handing her back her jumper.

"Okay," Hermione stole one more kiss from him. She grumbled as she flew down the stairs. "Yes?" she asked, pulling open the door, not bothering to peek through the spy hole.

"Hermione," Gordon said brightly. "I was worried you weren't at home."

"Gordon what are you doing here?" Hermione asked.

Gordon's smile faltered. "I was at the library getting a head start on some reading and I ran into one of our professors. He gave me a list of the books we'll need for the next term. I made a copy for you and managed to check out a few."

He motioned to his bag at his feet which was laden with books.

"Oh..." Hermione felt bad for her cool words. "Well... um... why don't you come in for a moment?" she pulled the door open wider.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I wasn't interrupting anything, was I?"

"Well it's just that Harry's leaving in just a little while for Madrid," Hermione explained. "And then Cho's coming by after she gets off work..."

"I thought he wasn't leaving until next week," Gordon said, barely able to contain the smile on his face at the news that Potter would be out of his hair.

"The trip got rescheduled," Hermione said. "I mean, I'm glad we got to spend the full holiday together of course but I wish they had the same time off as we get from University."

"Of course," Gordon said, picking up his bag and walking into the cottage. "Did you have a nice New Year?"

"Oh it was fantastic," Hermione answered. "We quite literally danced the night away," she grinned. "Did you and Skylar go out?"

"Um, yeah," Gordon lied. The truth was he hadn't seen Skylar since the wedding. He hadn't lost any sleep over it. The girl had meant nothing to him. She was just a means to an end.

"I was worried that you two didn't have a good time at the wedding," Hermione answered.

"She was just a little shy being around people she didn't know very well," Gordon said. He could still remember Skylar tearing into him for spending his entire evening pining over some other bloke's girl.

"I had hoped it didn't affect things between the two of you," Hermione said. "Perhaps sometime you'll have to bring her around so we can get to know her better."

"Yeah," Gordon said, plonking down on the sofa and making himself comfortable. He began to unload the books on the coffee table. "If we thought we had it easy before, we're going to get a rude awakening next term."

"What did you get?" Hermione asked, watching with dismay as he sat back. She didn't want to make her friend feel unwelcome but Harry was waiting for her upstairs.

As if on cue, Harry came bounding down the stairs.

"Hermione," he called out. "Don't tell me you forgot all about..." his voice trailed off when he saw who their unexpected visitor was.

"Gordon just stopped by for a few minutes to show me some books we need next term," Hermione said quickly.

"He did, did he?" Harry asked coolly. "Surely he realizes you have one more week before you have to be back in classes?"

"Nothing wrong with being prepared," Gordon replied, knowing those words would hit home for Hermione.

"I didn't say there was," Harry said trying hard not to get angry.

Hermione knew how tense Harry was. "Will you give us just a few minutes love?" she asked. "Please- I'll be right up as soon as I take a look at these."

"Of course," Harry said, stroking her hand. "Don't be too long, though, okay?"

Hermione smiled as she kissed his cheek and watched him disappear back up the stairs. "Okay," she said.

Nearly an hour later, Gordon was still in the living room. He knew Hermione really wanted to go upstairs, but he also knew she was too polite to ask him to leave outright.

"Goodness look at the time," Hermione said. She was tired and even annoyed at Gordon for not taking any of the hints she was throwing his way. "I'm sorry Gordon but I really need to see if Harry's got himself packed up properly."

"Oh," Gordon said, frowning. "I guess I have kept you too long, haven't I?"

"It's all right," Hermione didn't want to be rude. "I'll talk to you this week sometime about forming a study group for next term okay?"

"Sure," Gordon said, trying to temper his frustration. It seemed as if she was trying to push him out the door. He quickly gathered up his books and took comfort in the fact that he'd at least managed to shorten Potter's time with Hermione before he had to go away. "Please give my apologies to Harry for monopolizing you all evening."

"I'm sure he's fine," Hermione said. "See you later Gordon." she almost shut the door in his face and wasted no time in sprinting up the stairs. "Harry I am so sorry!" she apologised the moment she stepped into their bedroom. "He just wouldn't take a hint tonight!"

Harry knew it wasn't her fault, but he couldn't help being angry at her for not seeing through Gordon. "He hasn't been able to take a hint since I've met him," Harry said icily.

"Come on, he doesn't interrupt us all the time," Hermione said as she wound her arms around his neck. "We have a little bit of time before Neville and Cho get here and you two have to leave."

Harry shrugged out of her embrace. "He does interrupt us all the time, Hermione! What I don't get is that for someone so smart, you just don't see it!"

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You seem to keep forgetting that Gordon is my friend and a very good study partner." she said, her tone tightly controlled.

"How can I bloody forget it?" he asked sarcastically. "You remind me of it every single time I try to get you to see what he's doing."

"What is he doing?" Hermione asked crossing her arms over her chest as Harry zipped his suitcase shut.

Harry shook his head. "You know damn well what he’s doing."

"Actually I don't," Hermione said angrily.

"Big surprise," Harry retorted.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Hermione snapped.

"Hermione," Harry said, trying to remain calm. "He knew that you and I wanted to spend some time together before I had to leave, but did he take that into consideration? No, of course he didn't! So, he comes over here armed with books..."

Hermione glared at him in disbelief. "Do you honestly think Gordon is looking to break us up?" she asked.

Harry sighed. This wasn't the way he wanted to spend his last moments with Hermione, but she was being so damn stubborn about this. "I don't know," he said, sitting down on the bed.

Hermione sat down next to him. "Harry... there are only two people in this world who could break us up. You and me. And I'm not about to let that happen, not by anyone." she put her hand on his arm. "I love you."

"I know you do," he whispered. He wished there was someway to make her see what Gordon was trying to do. Gordon was trying to break them up, of that Harry was quite sure. He was also quite sure that if he kept pushing the issue with Hermione, he'd push her away. That was what Gordon wanted. Harry wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. "I love you, too."

"And you're the only bloke I'll ever love," Hermione pushed his hair out of his eyes, her finger tracing gently along his scar.

"That's what I like to hear," he said smiling at her, looking at her face, trying to memorize every line and every curve. Neville and Cho would be arriving any minute and he knew they didn't have time to have a proper goodbye.

"I'm going to miss you," Hermione leaned her forehead on his. "At least it's only a week right; and not anything longer."

"Right," he whispered. "You know what this means, right? We're going to have a hell of a reunion when I get back, okay?"

Hermione laughed. "You bet your life we will, Potter." she kissed him hungrily.

"Hello?" Cho called from downstairs. She and Neville had let themselves in as the door was unlocked. "You don't think they're....you know, do you?" she asked her husband as he set her bag down.

"With them who knows, especially since we all got them that 'Rabbit Hole' sign as a Christmas gift." Neville replied. "Hello?" he called.

"Be right down," came a quick, but muffled response from Harry.

"Shit they are," Neville rolled his eyes. "You know we only have five minutes until we have to be at the Ministry right?" he called loudly.

From upstairs, there was the sound of something or someone hitting the floor, followed by muffled laughter.

Cho rolled her eyes as Neville shook his head. "Well..." he led his wife into the living room. "Guess we should say our goodbyes too. I hate leaving you right now. Promise me you'll owl me immediately should anything--"

"Everything will be fine," Cho interrupted him. "We've gone over everything. Besides, you'll probably hear me screaming from Madrid if I go into labour. You know how low my threshold for pain is."

"That I do," Neville grinned before leaning in to kiss her. "I'm glad you're staying with Hermione... neither one of you will be too lonely."

At that moment, Harry and Hermione came downstairs. Hermione's hair was mussed up and Harry was grinning like a Cheshire cat. "Ready to go?" he asked Neville.

"Yes, finally." Neville replied. "I swear the two of you could manage to have sex in the span of two minutes if you had to."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked, setting his suitcase down and kissing Cho on the cheek.

"Never mind." Neville replied. He hugged his wife as tightly as he could. "Love you," he whispered in her ear.

"Love you, too," Cho said softly. "And don't worry about me...I'm going to be fine."

"I know you will be," Neville turned his back so he didn't have to look at the Harry and Hermione spectacle of a goodbye. "I'll owl you tomorrow all right?"

"You'd better," Cho teased. "You boys better get going...you have less than two minutes to make it to the Ministry."

"Come on Captain Love," Neville pulled on Harry's robes. "See you next week Hermione."

"Bye, Neville," Hermione said, walking the two of them out. "Bye, Harry… love you."

"Love you," Harry smiled at her as she closed the door behind him.

*** *** ***

A couple of nights later, Hermione had the idea to invite Lavender and Luna over for an impromptu slumber party. Cho had been feeling a little down without Neville around and Hermione thought it would do wonders to have her friends around her. She'd rented a couple of movies and ran by the shops to buy some completely fattening junk food for their "Girls Night In" as they'd decided to call it.

At around eight, Luna and Lavender arrived. Luna brought her new puppy, Paddington, who everyone had gushed over. At the moment, they were all dressed in their pyjamas and they were eating pizza and listening to music on the CD player.

"I haven't done something like this since around third year at school," Lavender was currently in the midst of playing with Hermione's hair. "We used to have those little slumber parties all the time during the middle of term... well we would," she teased her cousin. "You always sat them out."

"You used to sit around and talk about boys and hair and makeup," Hermione pointed out. "I had no interest in that. I wanted to keep my marks up, Lav."

"As you did," Luna was hugging Paddington. There was a patch of his fur right in the back of his head that was softer than velvet that she liked to rub her fingers through. "Who had the highest marks when we all finished school Cho?"

"Three-way tie between Malfoy, Harry and Ernie McMillan," Cho answered.

Hermione smiled at the mention of Harry. "What do you suppose he and Neville are doing right now?" she asked.

"Probably asking what we're doing right now," Cho guessed with a laugh. She eyed the box of pizza beside her and wondered if she should have another slice.

"Go for it Cho," Luna pushed the box towards her. "Baby must be hungry if you're feeling the urge to eat."

"I think I will," Cho said, picking up a slice of the plain cheese pizza and biting into it. "This is soooo good."

Hermione laughed then winced as Lavender pulled on her hair. "What are you doing back there?" she asked.

"Never you mind," Lavender said dismissively. "I'm trying something new."

"Lavender, when you say the word new and it involves my hair, you worry me." Hermione replied.

"Are you still holding that one unfortunate incident against me?" Lavender asked, rolling her eyes. "We were seven years old!"

"What are you talking about?" Cho asked.

"Hermione really overreacted, I thought," Lavender explained. "It was really nothing."

"Nothing?" Hermione asked. "Nothing? You nearly scalped me, Lavender! She decides to use me as her personal Barbie doll so she grabs a pair of my mum's scissors and proceeds to cut my hair."

Luna laughed. "What made you do that?" she asked the other blonde.

"She had really long hair and it was always a mess," Lavender answered. "I thought I was helping her out."

Hermione shivered. "It was awful. By the time she finished there wasn't much left, and my mum nearly had a fit. I had to cut it all off as a result and she's lucky she wasn't living with us yet at that point or there would have been some retaliation going on."

"Remember who helped style your hair the night of your big dance with Harry?" Lavender pointed out. "And who fixed Cho's hair for the wedding?"

"Well you've gotten better," Hermione conceded. "But ever since that little incident I haven't let her near me with a pair of shears." she shook her head at Cho and Luna.

"Keep your head still," Lavender said crossly. "I'm nearly finished."

"She's just giving you two plaits," Luna said to Hermione.

"Okay," Hermione relaxed.

Luna smiled as Paddington settled himself back into her lap. "Something sort of big happened between Ron and me over the holidays," she said demurely.

"Oh really?" Cho asked, resting against the sofa cushions, her hands against her belly.

Luna nodded happily. "He wants us to move in together."

"You mean he finally fessed up?" Lavender asked before she could stop herself.

Luna turned her head to look at her friend. "You knew?"

"Well," Lavender looked to Cho for help. "We sort of did..."

"And you didn't tell me?" Luna asked shocked. "Why not?"

"Ron wanted to have the honours," Hermione said simply.

Luna smiled. She looked at Cho. "I can't believe you knew and didn't say a word to me. That has to be a first!"

"It's not been easy," Cho said. "But I think it was the first thing I ever kept a secret. Probably because I was able to talk about it with everyone BUT you," she smiled at Luna.

"How's his mum taking the news?" Hermione asked. "Does she know yet?"

"I think Ron wanted to wait until we had a list of possible places before we went ahead and told her," Luna replied, laughing as Paddington licked her fingers. "We're taking our time with the search though, so it'll be a few months before we finalize anything."

"That sounds like a good idea," Hermione said.

"So, being as I've never lived with a bloke," Luna said, smiling at Cho and Hermione. "Care to tell me what to expect?"

"Doesn't Ron stay over sometimes?" Hermione asked sighing in relief as Lavender finally finished with her hair. "Expect that only messier."

"You mean Mr. Wonderful has a bad side?" Lavender asked teasingly. "I thought the sun rose and set where he walked."

Hermione glared at her. "Stop using that bloody name! Harry thinks it's hilarious and calls himself that because of you."

Cho guffawed. "Harry thought that about himself long before the two of you came along. He's my friend and I love him, but he has an ego the size of a...well, I'm not sure how big it is, really, but it's quite large."

"He was only that way after he defeated... You Know Who..." Luna said after a slight pause. "Cho you remember how shy he used to be until around 4th year at the Triwizard Tournament..."

"All right, after that," Cho conceded. "Once he passed through puberty and lost the high voice, the skinny body and the really, REALLY dorky glasses, he thought he was hot stuff."

"He is hot stuff," Hermione said defensively and blushed.

"Too much information," Lavender covered her ears.

Hermione laughed. "Who wants ice cream?" she asked, getting to her feet.

"If you have strawberry I'll name this baby after you," Cho said.

"Don't believe her," Luna said to Hermione. "She's promised that to everyone. So far, her baby's name is going to be Luna Hermione Harry Neville Seamus Longbottom."

Lavender laughed. "What about me? Don't I get a name?" she pretended to be hurt.

"Do something for her and I'm sure she'll fit you in," Luna said laughing.

"I made her bloody wedding robes," Lavender replied.

"Lavender Luna Hermione Harry Seamus Neville Ron Longbottom," Cho said thoughtfully. "Has a nice sort of ring to it, doesn't it?"

"If I have strawberry ice cream does that mean my name will move to the front?" Hermione teased.

"Possibly," Cho said with a grin. "You'll at least be in the top three."

"Well then it's a good thing I have strawberry ice cream," Hermione disappeared into the kitchen, coming back a moment later with the carton and bowls and spoons. The four girls crowded around the coffee table as Hermione scooped out servings for each of them.

"I'm really having a great time tonight," Cho said, smiling at her friends. "We should do stuff like this more often."

"What kick the guys out and do girly things?" Hermione joked.

"Yeah," Cho said, nodding.

"I think it'd be nice too. Maybe once a month," Lavender said.

Cho grinned as she sat back down on the sofa and took a bite of her ice cream. "This is so good it ought to be illegal."

"At least you've stopped getting those cravings, like the pancakes and jelly slugs deal," Hermione replied.

"That was pretty disgusting, wasn't it?" Cho asked shuddering.

"Yes," the other three girls all said at once.

"Give me a break," Cho said laughing. "I'm pregnant! I'm supposed to want to eat strange things!"

"Yes but do you actually HAVE to eat them?" Lavender asked her nose wrinkled.

"Can we talk about something else?" Cho asked. "See, I'm actually eating something normal now."

"Right," Hermione grinned. "Let's give the pregnant lady a break."

"Thank you," Cho said, taking another bite of her ice cream.

"So who do we talk about now?" Lavender asked, her eyes twinkling. "You know you never did answer us before, Hermione. How about you tell us the real scoop on living with Harry Potter? Is he a messy boy? Does he leave the seat up? Does he snore? Inquiring minds want to know..."

"I've already told you," Hermione replied. "He always puts the dishes away back wrong and I've no idea how he gets toothpaste in his mouth because it's always all over the sink when he's finished brushing his teeth..." she shook her head and smiled.

"And what's the best part about living with him, aside from all the shagging?" Lavender asked.

"It's just nice waking up in the morning next to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with," Hermione said simply.

"I couldn't agree more," Cho said.

"I wonder if Seamus and I will reach this point." Lavender said wistfully.

"In all honesty, it's not as easy as it sounds, living with someone." Hermione said thoughtfully. "I mean, the good definitely outweighs the bad without a doubt. But there are things you have to put up with- for me, it's being organised. Harry IS organised but not like I am. It's aggravating having to clean up after him but in the long run, I'll do it every day and never complain because I love him."

"Awwwwww," her three friends said in unison.

Hermione laughed. "Come on, Lavender you sound like a reporter trying to get some dirt on Harry to publish. That's Luna's job."

"I'd never do that to Harry," Luna said firmly. "Besides, I'm not as bad as those vultures at the Daily Prophet."

"That's true," Cho nodded. "They've been awful lately about what's been written. I'm downright shocked that they haven't put anything in about Harry in awhile- usually he's a favourite target. And now that he's got a girl..." she shook her head.

"I thought that was kind of strange, too," Lavender admitted. "They've not printed word one about Hermione. Must be a new thing for them...showing restraint."

"Maybe I'm just not interesting enough," Hermione joked. "I should go out in public and dance in my knickers and then they can write about Harry Potter's insane girlfriend."

"That'd actually be pretty tame compared to some of the rubbish they've written about him in the past," Cho said. "Besides, I'm glad they're leaving the two of you alone. That's all you need to have that lot following you around."

"That's true," Hermione nodded. "The last thing I'd fancy is having my private life splashed across the front page of that paper."

"And what a story they could write about the two of you," Lavender said, grinning at her cousin.

Hermione gave her a look. "Maybe until I spilled the beans about you and Seamus and your wild nights," she retorted.

Luna, who had been about to take a bite of her ice cream, dropped the spoon. "Wait a minute! Lavender...you and Seamus have..."

Lavender glared at Hermione. "Thanks a lot," she said, her voice tinged with sarcasm.

"Don't get mad at Hermione," Cho said to Lavender. "Take it from someone who has a habit of letting the cat out of the bag, sometimes it's hard to keep things a secret. Things just slip out. You don't mean for them to, but they do."

Lavender shook her head. "Yes," she answered Luna's question. "Seamus and I have... gotten intimate." she couldn't help the smile that now spread across her face.

"How was it?" Luna asked, hoping her friend wouldn't think this was too personal a question.

"Well..." Lavender thought about her words. "The first time... it was a bit awkward. It didn't hurt or anything but it was something neither one of us had done before. It's gotten much better since then."

"First times are always like that though," Cho said reassuringly. "I can remember when Har--" Cho said, but stopped abruptly when she locked eyes with Hermione. The last thing that Hermione probably wanted to hear was Cho talking about her first time with Harry.

"It's okay," Hermione said calmly. "I'm adult enough to hear about this sort of thing."

Cho smiled. "I was just going to say that first times are always awkward, especially when neither of you know what the hell you are doing."

"I guess I got lucky then," Hermione said mildly, smiling at Cho.

Cho was relieved that Hermione genuinely seemed okay with her past with Harry. "Do you realize that I'm the only one of us married and I'm the only one not getting any," Cho said, shaking her head. "It's not fair!"

Hermione, Luna and Lavender laughed. "Your pregnancy isn't technically an excuse," Hermione teased. "Well maybe now it is, you could actually scare the baby I'm sure since you're about to pop."

"Neville's really been great about it," Cho said, rubbing her belly.

"Well I'm sure once the little one is available for us to fawn over, you and Neville can take a mini honeymoon." Lavender said. "I'll be more than happy to watch the baby for you guys."

"Get in line," Hermione smiled at her cousin.

"Thanks," Cho said happily. "I'm going to take you all up on that offer."

"Where do you and Neville think you'll go for a honeymoon?" Hermione asked, licking her spoon and dropping it back into the bowl.

"You know I've actually not thought too much about it what with getting ready for the baby and all," Cho replied. "But if I had a choice, I'd want to go somewhere really nice and warm and tropical."

"That does sound nice," Luna said. "Especially with how freezing cold it's been here lately."

"I know," Lavender agreed. "I miss being at Hillsdale where I walked around in shorts and hung out by the lake all day. Well, minus the whole Draco Malfoy part, of course."

"I don't think any of us miss him," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"To this day I wonder what I ever saw in him," Lavender said, shuddering. "I wasted an entire summer chasing after him. But, if any good came out of it, he inadvertently led me to Seamus."

"It's really amazing how we all managed to find guys this summer," Cho replied. "Good and bad of course, but think of it this way- if I hadn't gotten pregnant, Hermione, you'd have never danced with Harry, and maybe not have gotten together with him. And then Luna, you wouldn't have had to do all those extra lessons with Ron and maybe not have gotten together with him. And Lavender, if we hadn't had the idea to get Ginny trapping herself on tape you might never have met Seamus..." she sighed. "I'm so glad things worked out the way they did."

"Things are as they should be," Luna said grinning at her friends.

"I second that," Hermione agreed.

*** *** ***

Harry missed Hermione very much, but he was having a good time in Madrid. Their training sessions were tough, but he knew in the long run they were completely necessary. Right now he, Neville and a bunch of their Auror classmates were sitting at a café having a late dinner.

Harry nibbled on some chips and salsa while he watched some of his friends dance- he was surprised to see that Megan Reilly could hold her own out there, with her new bloke Chris who actually seemed as enamoured by her as she was by him.

“Still worried about Cho?” Harry asked as his eyes rested on Neville. “I'm sure she’s fine, otherwise we’d have gotten an owl.”

"You're probably right," Neville said. "But I hate being away from her when she's so close to her due date."

"So do I," Harry nodded. "Just a couple of weeks left and you'll be a dad," he grinned.

"I still can't believe it," Neville said shaking his head.

"You nervous about that?" Harry asked, refilling his glass of sangria.

"Scared to death actually," Neville admitted. "But a good kind of scared. Stupid, isn't it?"

"Nonsense," Harry replied. "You're going to be responsible for another human life Neville. It's okay to be scared."

Neville nodded. The sound of Megan's giggling filled the air and Neville turned around to see Megan gazing adoringly at Chris. "You okay with that?" Neville asked his friend. "She certainly didn't waste any time getting over you, did she?"

"My heart was broken but I've managed to pick up the pieces," Harry snickered.

Neville laughed. "You are handling it quite well."

"It's a good thing I've got back up," Harry joked.

"Always," Neville said, grinning. From a couple of tables down, one of their fellow trainees called out to Neville. "Be right back," Neville said pushing back from his chair.

Harry drank from his glass of sangria, his eyes travelling over the crowd of people.

"Can someone tell me why on earth Harry Potter is sitting all alone in a cafe?" a sultry voice called from behind him.

Harry turned around. "Isabella?" he blinked.

"In the flesh," she said, smiling mischievously at him. She wore a tight black mini-dress that accented each and every curve. Her blonde hair hung loose down her back. "You get even more handsome each and every time I see you," she said, kissing his cheek.

"Thanks," Harry sat up straighter. "You look great too," he smiled at her. "What are you doing in Madrid I thought you were living in Barcelona?"

"I've got a shoot for a magazine," she explained. "And to think I nearly turned it down, too. If I had, I wouldn't have ran into you. Mind if I sit down?"

"Sure," Harry said politely. "Sangria?"

"Have you ever known me to turn that down?" she asked with a smile.

"As no one should, this stuff is bloody fabulous," Harry poured her some.

"So you never answered my question," she said, taking a sip from her glass. "Why are you, of all people, sitting here all alone?"

"Everyone's already out dancing or talking," Harry nodded his head at his friends sitting at the next table. "Neville just went to go talk to some other people for a moment."

Isabella nodded. "Dancing...now that sounds like a fun idea! What do you say, Harry? For old times sake?"

"Well..." Harry looked around as if trying to find an excuse. Hermione wasn't there to stop him this time, yet what harm could one or two dances do? She had a point- it did look like fun. "Sure, why not?"

"There's this fabulous club a couple of streets over," Isabella said. "I was actually on my way there when I saw you sitting here and I couldn't believe my luck."

"I'm afraid I can't stay out too late," Harry replied. "I'm here on Auror training and they've got us up at the arse crack of dawn every morning."

"I remember when I used to keep you out until the arse crack of dawn every morning," she countered flirtatiously.

"Yeah, back when I didn't have training," Harry replied.

"Well, I promise not to keep you out too late tonight," she said with twinkling eyes. "Wouldn't want you to get into any trouble, would we?"

"I should be good for another few hours," Harry replied.

"Let's go then," Isabella said, pushing back from her chair.

Harry had fleeting second thoughts about leaving to go to a dance club with Isabella Marconi, but he pushed them away. Nothing was going to happen that he didn't want to happen. "Hey Neville- I'm going to another club with Isabella for a few hours." he stopped at the table where his friend was sitting, every guy openly gawking at the beauty by Harry's side.

Neville frowned. "Harry, do you think that's such a good idea?"

"It's fine," Harry said. "Trust me I'll make sure I'm back by a decent hour."

Neville nodded and watched as Harry took Isabella's hand and they walked away. He didn't have a good feeling about this at all. Where Isabella Marconi went, trouble always seemed to follow. Neville hoped that for once, it wouldn't be the case.

Harry, who had drunk a good deal of the sangria, felt surprisingly sober as they arrived at the club. He paid the cover for himself and Isabella who thanked him with a kiss on the cheek, one that landed close to the corner of his mouth. "Isabella..." Harry pulled away from her. "You should know- I'm still with Hermione all right? I don't want you think anything's going to happen--"

"She's not here, though, is she?" Isabella interrupted. "Besides, I won't tell if you don't."

"It's not that," Harry said, having to shout over the music. "She trusts me, and I'd never do anything to make her feel any other way."

"You agreed to come here with me, didn't you?" Isabella pointed out. "She probably wouldn't be too happy if she knew that. Come on, Harry. You used to know how to have a good time!"

"I still do," Harry frowned. "And I agreed to come here with you as friends, not as anything else."

Isabella wrapped her arms around his neck. Before Harry could stop her, she'd pressed her lips to his.

"What the hell are you doing?" Harry pushed her away immediately but not before a flash popped in their faces.

"Reminding you of how good we are together," Isabella replied, but Harry wasn't paying attention to her. His eyes were on the man who'd just snapped their photograph and who was now heading out of the crowded club as fast as his legs could carry him.

"Did you plan this?" Harry asked angrily. "Bring me here to this club where a fucking photographer just happens to be waiting?" he glared at her.

"No," Isabella said crossly. "You and I are both well known, Harry. It's normal for paparazzi to follow us around wherever we go."

"Yeah," Harry said coldly. "Well I'm sure your well known status can find you a ride home. I'm out of here."

"Fine," Isabella retorted and turned on her heel and disappeared into the crowd.

"What a bitch," Harry wiped his mouth off and stormed out of the club. He couldn't believe what she'd done, and of course that stupid photographer had to be there right at that moment. He groaned, realising that picture would most likely be splashed across every major newspaper across the Wizarding World the very next day. He'd managed to avoid the paparazzi over the past few years by leading a relatively quiet life but this would really thrust him back into the limelight.

Meanwhile back at the cafe, Neville had just finished scrawling a message to Cho on some parchment. When they got back to the hotel, he planned on sending it to her. He folded the piece of parchment and put it in his pocket. As he threw some money down on the table to pay for the meal, he heard someone passing by who was mumbling something. He looked up in time to see an agitated Harry walking past him.

"Harry!" he called out to his friend.

Harry spun around, his hand gripping his wand. "Oh, Neville," he relaxed.

"Where's the fire?" Neville asked, wondering why his friend had his wand out.

Harry sighed and dropped into the chair. "You're not going to believe this," he mumbled.

"Try me," Neville said, sitting down as well.

Harry gave Neville a brief recap of what had just happened with Isabella. "You know, I don't bloody get women- here I go and tell her I have a girlfriend who I'm extremely happy with and love more than anything and what does she do? Just go and kiss me as if I'd asked her to!"

Neville shook his head. "You shouldn't have gone with her in the first place, Harry."

"I just thought it might be fun!" Harry said. "I didn't know she was going to be a sneak!"

"I told you shouldn't have gone with her," Neville said, knowing that this was the last thing Harry wanted to hear. "At least no one else saw it, right? You were in a crowded club? I won't say anything to Hermione, but I don't like being put in this position."

Harry looked at him warily and Neville groaned.

"Right as she kissed me someone took a picture," Harry said glumly after a moment. "I would have tried to go after them but they were gone before I could even pull away."

"It was probably just a fan," Neville said. "Probably some fan psyched to see the great Harry Potter."

"You think?" Harry perked up. "Not a reporter?

Neville shook his head. "Probably not. How would they have even known we were here? Besides what interesting news could they find with you on training? Not exactly the most interesting stuff."

"I have managed to keep out of the light for awhile," Harry said, hoping Neville was right. "And I haven't really done anything interesting, at least not interesting enough for the papers to pick up on..."

"Yeah, to be so heroic, you're really kind of dull," Neville said, slapping his friend on the back. "Come on, let's get back to the hotel."

Harry felt better after talking to Neville. "So do you think I should owl Hermione about this or just wait until we get back?"

"Wait until we get back," Neville answered. "Why worry her over nothing?"

"Yeah I suppose you're right. I'd rather tell her face to face than try and explain that over a letter anyways," Harry grinned at his friend. "Thanks Neville."

"You should listen to me more often," Neville said, getting to his feet.

"And where would that get me?" Harry joked.

"Out of trouble?" Neville answered with his own question. "Come on...let's get back to the hotel. I want to owl Cho before we turn in."

"Okay," Harry replied, convinced that Neville was right and that it was just a fan taking a once in a lifetime shot and not a reporter.

*** *** **

Luna closed the door to the cottage behind her softly. She'd woken up first and decided to surprise her friends with bagels and pastries by running down to the bakery down the street. In one hand, she held their breakfast treats and in the other a copy of the morning paper. She hoped Hermione wouldn't be awake when she got back. She didn't want her friend to see the paper just yet.

The entire front page of The Daily Prophet had a huge colour photo of Harry snogging his ex-girlfriend Isabella Marconi in Madrid. The accompanying article speculated on the two of them reigniting their old flame. Luna knew there had to be a reasonable explanation for this, but what it was, she didn't know.

She tiptoed into the living room and to her dismay saw that everyone was awake. But, to her relief, Hermione wasn't in the room. She smiled weakly at Cho and Lavender. "Where's Hermione?" she whispered.

"In the loo," Cho replied. "She hasn't seen this yet," she also held up a copy of the paper. "I don't know how we're going to hide it from her..."

Luna set the bag down on the coffee table and sat down on the sofa beside Lavender. "What on earth was Harry thinking?" she asked.

"You're the reporter, you tell me," Lavender replied. "I'm going to bloody kill him!"

"Now wait a minute," Cho began but was interrupted by Hermione's cheery voice.

"Something smells delicious!" Hermione said, coming into the room.

Luna and Cho both grabbed the papers. "Luna just went out and got us some bagels," Lavender covered, her voice artificially bright.

"Oh, that's really sweet of you," Hermione said, making for the bag. "Why aren't the rest of you eating?"

"She just got back," Cho said. "I'm starving so you all pick first otherwise I just might eat it all," she folded the newspaper so Hermione couldn't see the front page.

"Is that the newspaper?" Hermione asked. "One of my professors was writing a column in there today and I really want to see it."

"Oh..." Cho looked to Luna for help. "I didn't see any columns by professors..." she lied feebly.

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked. "I could have sworn he said it was going to be in there today. Maybe I'll just have a look..."

She reached for the paper, but Cho tucked it behind her back.

"What's going on?" she asked, looking around at her friends. "Why don't you want me to see the paper?"

"I want to read it first is all," Cho said. "I know how long it takes you to read it..."

"Okay," Hermione said, unconvinced. "Luna...can I see your copy then?"

"This... isn't the Daily Prophet." Luna laughed nervously. "Why would I buy that rubbish?"

Hermione folded her arms. "Okay, what are you lot trying to hide from me?"

Lavender shared a stricken look with the other two women. "Nothing Hermione..." she tried to appease her cousin. "Come on let's eat before all this gets cold," she sat down at the table.

"No," Hermione said, sternly. "There's something in that paper that you obviously don't want me to see. I want to know what it is. I'm going to find out eventually..."

Cho tried to shift as her baby had taken to resting on her bladder and as she did, her hand lifted up on the paper and Hermione snatched it away in the blink of an eye.

"HAHA!" Hermione said triumphantly. She turned the paper around and the smile on her face fell as she saw the photograph staring back at her.

22. Chapter 22

Author's note: We're both really happy with the response we're getting on the story. That was an awful cliffie, wasn't it? Well, at least you didn't have to wait too long to find out what happened. As always, if you do read the chapter, please tell us what you think... we live for reviews!

Lavender bit on her lower lip as she watched her cousin’s face go from triumph to shock. “Hermione... it can’t be what it seems right?” she looked at Cho.

With a weak voice, Hermione began to read aloud from the article. “Auror in Training Harry Potter seems to be mixing business with pleasure on his top secret training session in Madrid. Potter was spotted in the company of his ex-girlfriend Isabella Marconi, the world famous model. Though their relationship cooled off, sources close to both say that a reunion seems imminent.”

“That’s a lie,” Cho said furiously. “Hermione you KNOW that’s a lie!”

“He’s...he’s kissing her in the photograph,” Hermione said, looking disgustedly at the picture that kept replaying itself over and over.

“That’s got to be an old photo,” Luna tried to think of anything other than what it actually could be. “Harry wouldn’t go around kissing her, not since he’s got you.”

“We’ll get him back, Hermione!” Lavender said, putting an arm around her cousin. “Revenge...we have to think about this and what would be the best way to get him back for doing this to you...”

“Lavender!” Luna interjected loudly. “You’re not helping matters!”

“I’m sorry!” Lavender said hotly. “But you know as well as I do that’s not an old photo. He has some nerve!”

“No,” Hermione calmly put the paper down. “There’s got to be a good explanation for this.” Her voice trembled slightly.

“There had better be or I’ll...well, I don’t know what I’ll do, but it won’t be pretty,” Lavender said shaking her head.

Hermione sat down limply as Cho looked on at her, concerned. “Hermione...” the black haired woman began. “I don’t want to bring up a sore point but you saw how she was that night at the club...”

“Yes, well he didn’t put up much of a fight then, did he?” Hermione remembered.

Cho sighed. “That’s just Harry though! He likes seeing his old friends!”

“His old blonde tarts, you mean,” Lavender said angrily.

“Lavender!” Luna hissed.

Cho frowned at her. “Lavender, shut up.” She snapped. “You’re not making things here any easier!”

“Big surprise that you’d take his side!” Lavender retorted.

“Enough!” Hermione said loudly. “Lavender... I appreciate your concern... I really do. But I need to talk to Harry about this.”

“I think that’s a great idea,” Luna said. “You haven’t heard his side of all this and I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for it.”

Hermione nodded. “I guess I’ll go owl him,” she said, leaving the kitchen as the phone rang. “Will someone answer that and take a message please? I don’t quite feel up to talking to anyone right now.”

Luna nodded. “I’ll get it. Hello...” Luna said picking up the telephone.

“May I speak to Hermione please,” a male voice asked assertively over the line.

“She’s not here,” Luna lied. “Can I take a message?”

“This is Gordon Devereaux. Are you sure she’s not there?” he asked, much to Luna’s annoyance.

“Of course I’m sure,” Luna snapped. “Look, I’ll tell her you called. Okay.”

“Have her ring me back as soon as possible,” Gordon ordered.

“Fine,” Luna said, hanging up the phone.

“Who was that?” Lavender asked.

“Gordon Devereaux,” Luna said. “He was being quite surly.”

Cho rolled her eyes. “He must have seen the article and called to offer his ‘condolences’.” She sat back her hands caressing her stomach.

“He certainly doesn’t waste any time,” Luna said, sitting back down at the table.

“What are we going to do?” Cho asked. “I’m sorry but I don’t believe this is Harry.”

“Cho,” Lavender said pointing at the photo. “That’s Harry! Photographs don’t lie!”

“Lavender, I’ve known him for almost ten years. I know he wouldn’t willingly do this!” Cho snapped.

“Oh, do you know what I just thought,” Lavender said. “We get the newspaper at the house. Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore have probably seen this, too!”

“Uh oh,” Luna shared another look with Cho. “I think we did some major jinxing last night when we were joking around about the Daily Prophet. We’d better ready Hermione for all the mail that’s going to be arriving here soon as well.”

“Maybe one of us should go and check on her,” Cho suggested. “Make sure she’s okay.”

“I will,” Lavender jumped up from the table and flew up the stairwell. She knocked on the door to Harry and Hermione’s bedroom.

“Come in,” Hermione said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She’d come up here to write Harry a letter, but she was still somewhat in shock by what she’d seen. So, she’d just curled up in her bed....their bed.

“Hey,” Lavender opened the door slowly. “Are... you all right?” she asked her cousin.

Hermione sat up and tried to put on a brave face. “I’m...numb.”

Lavender flew to her bedside and hugged her. “I’m sorry... I shouldn’t have been saying what I said down there...” she tried to make Hermione feel better. “I’ll bet Cho and Luna are right, there’s got to be something else going on. That can’t be Harry in that picture- maybe there was polyjuice involved, or he was pissed and she took advantage of him...”

“Maybe,” Hermione said, weakly. “I can’t get that image out of my head, you know? But at the same time, I can’t believe it.”

“Are you going to write to him?” Lavender asked.

“I don’t know what to say,” Hermione replied. “I wish I could call him or see him. He’s not due back until Friday.”

“Maybe he’ll find a way to get back early,” Lavender said. “Then you could find out what went on sooner.” She brushed a few stray hairs off her cousin’s forehead in a comforting manner.

“Thanks, Lavender,” Hermione said, touched by her cousin’s concern. “It’s nice to know you’re on my side.”

“Yeah, well I don’t like seeing you unhappy,” Lavender replied.

“Neither do I,” she said, giving her cousin a hug.

*** *** ***

Harry stretched as they finished their morning practice routine. He’d managed to put the situation from last night out of his head, hoping Neville had been right about the photographer.

He followed his brown haired friend into the restaurant to get some breakfast, as they had about an hour until they started up their next session. A bunch of their fellow trainees were gathered around a table, pointing and gawking at something.

“What’s going on?” I asked curiously.

The trainees turned around and broke out into impromptu applause.

“Way to go, Potter!” one called out.

“Yeah, Potter, did you shag her, too?” another one asked.

“What?” Harry asked. One of them shoved a newspaper at him and to his horror, he saw the picture from last night in it’s full glory.

“Hey, I thought he had a girlfriend?” Chris asked another trainee.

“I do!” Harry snapped. “This was a mistake!”

“A mistake!” a brown-haired trainee exclaimed. “That’s a damn miracle if you ask me! How do you manage to bag girls like that, Potter?”

“She’s my bloody ex!” Harry glowered at him. “I thought it’d be nice to catch up with her but she had other ideas,” he turned to Neville who was staring at another copy wordlessly. “Just a fan eh?” his eyes turned dark.

“Don’t look at me like that!” Neville said crossly. “I told you I didn’t think it was a good idea to go with her!”

Harry sighed heavily as he sat down hard at a table. “What the fuck do I do?” he asked.

“I know this isn’t the best time to point this out, but Hermione’s probably seen this by now,” Neville said, sitting down opposite him.

“I know,” Harry moaned. “I’ve... I have to get back to England and straighten this all out with her...”

“Harry,” Neville said. “We’re here until Friday.”

“Maybe I can convince them to let me leave early,” Harry looked up. “I mean, remember at the beginning they were willing to let me get out of training altogether?”

Neville shook his head. “They’re never going to let you leave early...not after how you told that bloke you wanted to be treated like everyone else.”

“I’ve got to try,” Harry snatched up a paper and practically ran from the restaurant. He headed upstairs to the room where they were training and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” a gruff voice said from behind the door.

“Sir,” Harry began as he went inside. “Would it be at all possible for me to cut training short and return to England? I have an emergency at home and—“

Martin Thackeray, the wizard in charge of their training, looked up from his paperwork. “Your handbook clearly states that the only way you can be excused if there was a death or serious illness in your family, Potter.”

“But sir,” Harry said, frustrated. “You guys offered to let me bypass training at the beginning... and I know how to do all this already! I’ll pick back up next week when we’re all at home!”

“We offered and you plainly told us that you wanted to be treated like everyone else,” Martin said. “You can’t pick and choose when you want to be a part of this class, Potter.”

“But this is an emergency!” Harry stated again. “I wouldn’t try and duck out otherwise!”

Martin sighed. “What is the emergency?”

Harry hesitated now. “It’s a long story sir...”

“This wouldn’t have anything to do with the newspaper article, would it?” Martin asked.

“You saw that?” Harry turned red.

“It was hard to miss,” Martin said. “They even had a piece on the Wireless this morning.”

Harry slumped into a chair. “Great,” he moaned.

“You do realize that you were supposed to be back at your hotel room last night at midnight,” Martin lectured. “Those curfews are for everyone, Potter.”

“I was!” Harry replied. “Honestly sir- I went to a club for what I thought would be a few hours of catching up with my old friend and she had other intentions!”

“Obviously,” Martin snickered.

Harry narrowed his eyes. “Can I or can’t I go home?” he asked tightly.

“If you go home,” Martin said. “You’re out of the program. I suggest you call or owl your girlfriend. Otherwise, you can wait until Friday to clean up the mess you made.”

Harry sighed heavily before getting up and leaving the room without another word. He headed straight to the Owlery room and scratched out a quick note to Hermione. “I hope she believes me,” Harry watched the owl fly off and rubbed his eyes.

*** *** ***

Never before had Harry dreaded and looked forward to something at the same time. The rest of the week in Madrid went by in a blur. The newspapers ran articles each day speculating on his and Isabella’s “relationship”. He hadn’t heard back from Hermione since he’d sent her that owl on Monday. The worst part about all of this was not being able to explain it to her straightaway. He hoped that her old insecurities were in the past and she had faith in him and in their relationship.

He unlocked the door to their cottage on Friday evening. They’d only arrived back a few minutes ago and he was knackered, but he was ready to see Hermione and clear the air. Unfortunately, the cottage was dark. She was probably asleep. Setting his suitcase by the door, he quickly went upstairs.

Opening the bedroom door, he saw Hermione fast asleep on the window seat, a book in her lap. She was wrapped in one of her favourite quilts and she looked so beautiful and peaceful, sitting there. “Hermione,” he said softly, kneeling down in front of her. “Sweetheart…”

Hermione jerked awake at his soft touch. She stared at him a moment and then in a move that surprised him pulled his body to hers, hugging him as tight as she could. “Harry,” she murmured into his shoulder.

He held her for a long time, not saying a word. He’d expected the worst and was quite surprised at this greeting. He hoped it wasn’t because she’d been asleep and wasn’t thinking all that clearly.

“Harry...” Hermione pulled back. “Please tell me... tell me the truth.”

He sighed and sat down on the window seat beside her. “I ran into her at an outdoor cafe. She asked if I wanted to go to a club for a few quick dances, just for old time’s sake,” he began, looking into her coffee-coloured eyes.

“Okay,” Hermione encouraged him.

“So we went to this club and we weren’t there two seconds before she was throwing herself at me,” Harry continued. “She kissed me, Hermione. I didn’t kiss her. I pushed her away, but not before some photographer snapped our photo.” He took her hands in his. “Nothing happened. I left her at the club and haven’t seen her since.”

Hermione studied him a long moment; she saw the sincerity in his eyes. “I believe you,” she whispered.

“You do?” Harry asked, not able to keep the surprised tone out of his voice.

“At first... I was ready to believe the worst, especially after that picture kept playing over and over in my head. But Cho and Luna and Lavender... well especially Cho and Luna, wouldn’t let me believe it. They told me you’d never do that to me... and after thinking about it I knew you wouldn’t.” Hermione touched his cheek. “That and I watched you through my locket a few times. You looked too unhappy to have been going around snogging… that girl.”

Harry exhaled heavily. “I wanted to get home to you to explain, but they wouldn’t let me go… I sent you an owl but I didn’t hear anything back and—“

“Its okay,” Hermione hugged him again. “I’m so glad you’re here now... I tried to wait up for you but it’s been a long week- you wouldn’t believe the amount of owls and Howlers that have arrived each day. Yours must have gotten lost in all of them.”

Harry winced. “I’m sorry you had to deal with that on your own.”

“I had good help,” she replied. “Some of them were really nasty ones too...” Hermione sighed into his shoulder.

“I am so sorry, Hermione,” he said softly, burying his face in her hair. “I am so sorry.”

“Just do one thing for me,” Hermione replied.

He pulled back from her. “Anything...”

“Tell me that you love me, and that you’ll never let me go,” Hermione leaned her forehead against his, her eyes closed.

He smiled. “I love you and I’ll never, ever let you go,” he whispered. “Not for anyone or anything in this world.”

“One more thing,” Hermione said.

“What’s that?” he asked.

“Kiss me,” Hermione wound her arms around his neck.

“I thought you’d never ask,” he said, leaning in and kissing her. He pushed her book to the floor and drew back the quilt. Without breaking the kiss, he picked her up and carried her over to the bed.

*** *** ***

“Lavender, will you stop pacing?” Seamus said, watching his girlfriend walk back and forth across his bedroom for the umpteenth time.

“Sorry,” Lavender replied. “I just can’t stand sitting around here knowing that Harry’s home now and he and Hermione are trying to figure this whole thing out and not knowing what they’re saying!”

Seamus smiled. “Always wanting to know what’s going on don’t you love?” he asked.

Lavender gave him a look. “I just like to know is all!” she spoke in her defence.

“Come here,” Seamus held up the covers.

She sighed and climbed in next to him. “I’m just worried about her. This has been a horrible week for Hermione even if she tried to act like it’s not bothering her. I still can’t believe he didn’t even try to write her!”

“We don’t know that for sure,” Seamus replied. “You said yourself that they got a ton of owls this week, his probably got lost in the shuffle. I’ll bet when they get through the rest of them his will be in there.”

“Why are you sticking up for him?” Lavender asked.

“Why are you so anxious to believe that Harry’s guilty of this?” Seamus countered. “Lav, I’ve known him for a long time and I know he wouldn’t do this to Hermione.” He faced his girlfriend. “All of a sudden it seems you want Harry to be the bad guy here…”

“I do not!” Lavender denied. “Seamus…” she paused a moment. “The thing with me and Hermione… I’ve known her my whole life and I’ve lived with her since I was nine years old. We don’t always get along, but I consider her the closest thing to a sister I’ve ever had. We bicker all the time and never see eye to eye on anything which is part of the fun.”

“That’s understandable,” Seamus agreed. “But at the same time, you see how happy Harry and Hermione are with one another. They’re in love; they’re living together and likely to be married sooner or later. And from what I’ve seen, Hermione is a pretty good judge of character. If Harry was a slime ball, which he’s NOT, I’m sure she’d have figured it out by now.”

“I guess,” Lavender was unconvinced.

“Well tell me this; do you think I’m a bad judge of character?” Seamus asked.

“No,” Lavender replied.

“Do you think Cho, Neville, Ron or Luna are?” he pressed.

“No,” Lavender said, her voice grudging.

“Well then why do you think Harry is such a git all of a sudden?” Seamus asked. “Because of something that happened beyond his control he’s turned into a jerk in your eyes.”

“He hurt my cousin!” Lavender nearly exploded.

“From what I’ve seen, Hermione has been handling this quite well. I also overheard her telling Cho that she doesn’t blame Harry,” Seamus argued. “And besides THAT, this really isn’t any of our concern anyways!”

Lavender huffed. “That’s really nice Seamus,”

“It’s not!” Seamus replied. “This is between Harry and Hermione!”

“I’m her cousin!” Lavender snapped stubbornly.

“And I’m one of Harry’s best mates!” Seamus retorted. “How is that any different aside from the fact that Harry and I aren’t related?”

“It just is!” Lavender said shortly.

“Right,” Seamus said his voice considerably cooler than it was before. He rolled over and turned off the lamp. “I’m going to sleep. I hope you’ll rethink exactly where you stand on this before you push Hermione and the rest of us away.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Lavender cried. “You think I’m enjoying this?”

“You certainly seem to be,” Seamus replied. “This whole situation has nothing to do with you yet here you are sticking your nose into it.”

“That’s a great thing to say,” Lavender pushed back the covers. “Maybe I’ll just go home, at least my aunt and uncle appreciate my concern.”

“Your concern is understandable, but your reasoning is ridiculous,” Seamus snapped the light back on.

Lavender glared at her boyfriend. “Well I think your defence of him is ridiculous!” she pulled her jeans back on; yanking her jumper over her head.

Seamus rolled his eyes. “You’ve obviously made up your mind here,” he said. “And I’m not even going to argue with you over it anymore.”

“Fine,” Lavender replied. “Have fun sleeping by yourself tonight.” She swept from the room and Seamus heard his front door slam a moment later.

*** *** ***

Harry purposely left the cottage early so he could take a quick swing by Madam Malkin’s shop to see how Cho was doing. According to Neville she had been complaining of false contractions and he was worried about her. “Hey you,” he said, seeing her as he entered the shop. “How are you feeling?”

She smiled warmly at him and pecked his cheek. “Much better today.”

“Are you sure you should be here?” Harry asked, reaching for her hand.

“Yes,” Cho said nodding. “You’re as bad as Neville. I am fine. Besides, my shift is only three hours today. Madam Malkin is letting me go early.”

“Okay,” Harry replied as Lavender came out from the back. “Hey Lav,” he called.

Lavender gave Harry a weak smile. She was still a little wary around him despite Hermione telling her everything was okay. “Hello, Harry,” she said, walking over to the opposite counter and rearranging some robes.

Harry’s eyebrows knit together as he looked at Cho. “Is she angry with me over what happened? I thought Hermione told her about it?”

“She did,” Cho said, looking in Lavender’s direction. “But, she’s still a little unsure...I think it goes back to what happened with Draco. She doesn’t want Hermione to end up hurt, too.” Cho leaned in closer. “Plus she had a fight with Seamus last night so she’s in a rotten mood.”

Harry sighed as he left Cho’s counter. “Can I have a word with you?” he asked Lavender.

“I’m kind of busy,” Lavender said crisply, pushing past him and walking toward another display.

Harry grabbed her arm. “Look,” he said tightly. “You might be thinking that I’m stringing Hermione along, but nothing could be further from the truth,” he pulled her a little closer. “I love your cousin more than anything and I’m not about to let anything, especially Isabella, come between us.”

“Then why did you go off to some club with that girl, Harry?” Lavender asked.

“Because I considered her to be a friend, and I like spending time with friends,” Harry let go of her arm. “I’m not bloody psychic Lavender! If I had known she had an ulterior motive I’d have never even gone to the stupid club!”

“Hermione’s not just my cousin, Harry,” Lavender said relaxing her stance just a bit. “She’s my best friend, too. She’s a little blind where you’re concerned. You didn’t see the look on her face after she came to see me wanting to get a makeover because she thought she wasn’t what you wanted.”

Harry gave her a level glare. “And have I ever given her any indication that I didn’t think she was the most gorgeous woman I’ve ever seen?” he asked snappishly.

“Well, no...” Lavender admitted. “But you went off with that tart the night we all went dancing and you did it again when you were in Madrid.”

“I danced ONE time with her,” Harry said. “And yes, it was stupid of me for thinking Hermione wouldn’t mind when she actually did! And I apologised for it ten times over!”

“If you knew it bothered her, then why on earth did you do it again?” Lavender asked him, shaking her head. “I thought you were different, but come to find out you’re just like the rest of them.”

Harry narrowed his eyes and grabbed her arm again, yanking her into the backroom. “All right Lavender, what is your deal? Not over Malfoy yet and so you’re taking it out on every guy you see?”

“That’s not...that’s not it at all,” she answered weakly. Moving away from him, she sat down on the old sofa. “I thought Draco was a great guy, too,” she said with a hollow laugh. “When I met him, I thought he was perfect. And we all know how well that turned out.”

Harry sat down next to her. “I think you know all guys aren’t jerks. But we’re not perfect either.” He put his hand on her shoulder. “We all make mistakes. But Hermione doesn’t blame me for this. We talked it out and we’re perfectly fine. So I can’t figure out why you’re hanging onto the whole situation.”

“I guess what happened with Malfoy hurt me a lot more than I cared to admit,” she answered. “I keep trying to get past it, but something like this happens and it makes me question it all over again.”

“I don’t understand why.” Harry said. “You’ve got Seamus now and he’d never hurt you.”

“I know,” she said, remembering their fight from last night. Seamus had been right. She had been ridiculous. “I’m sorry, Harry. I shouldn’t have taken it all out on you.”

“It’s okay,” Harry replied. He slung an arm around her shoulders and hugged her. “I know Hermione appreciates your support.”

“I’d do anything for her,” Lavender said smiling at him.

“So would I,” Harry replied. “Come on, let’s not have Madam Malkin catch us back here while you’re on duty.”

“Right,” Lavender said, allowing Harry to help her up.

They walked back to the front of the shop, where Cho was just finishing up with a client. “Well, are you two still at each other’s throats or is it safe to call everyone out of the battle zones?”

“We’re okay,” Lavender grinned.

“Everything’s just peachy,” Harry replied, leaning against the counter. “So you have what Cho, a week?”

Cho patted her stomach. “Not soon enough if you ask me.”

“You’ll be all right,” Harry assured her. “Baby Longbottom kicking today?”

“Like a footballer,” Cho said, pushing back her robes. “Here, if you put your hand right here...you’ll feel it.”

Harry grinned as he felt the baby’s foot kick out. “I think you’ve got quite the dancer on your hands, whether it’s a boy or a girl,” he said. He leaned over even further so he was right next to her stomach. “You hear that?” he called out making Lavender and Cho laugh. “Your Uncle Harry’s going to be teaching you everything your mother can’t!”

“Oh, please,” Cho said. “I used to dance circles around you.”

Harry grinned, slinging one arm around Lavender and the other around Cho. “What do you think Lav, who was the better dancer out of the two of us?”

“Oh, no you don’t,” Lavender said, giggling. “I’m not going to even answer that. I’m going to be completely neutral and say that you were both fantastic.”

Harry and Cho both laughed as he leaned over and gave Cho a kiss on the cheek, and then surprised Lavender by doing the same to her. “Have a good day ladies. I’m off to do some damage at training now...”

Cho and Lavender pretended to swoon as Harry walked out of the shop. “He’s such a character,” Cho shook her head.

Neither girl noticed the grin on the photographer’s face that had just been lurking outside the shop.

*** *** ***

Hermione was sitting at the table going over her Transfiguration notes when she heard Harry come downstairs. He’d had a particularly gruelling training session the day before. Not helping matters was the fact that both his training instructors and his fellow trainees had taken to ribbing him almost unmercifully about the newspaper articles.

“Good morning,” she said, as he came into the kitchen. “There are fresh muffins on the counter and I just made a pot of coffee.”

“I love you,” Harry said gratefully. “How did you know that’s exactly what I needed?”

“Woman’s intuition,” she answered with a grin. “When do you have to go in today?”

“About an hour,” Harry grumbled.

“And you sound as if you’re really looking forward to it,” Hermione said sympathetically.

He slumped in the chair as he sipped his coffee. “It’s just annoying... and the teasing hasn’t let up. It must be a new training perk to make an Auror’s life as miserable as possible.”

“Just ignore them,” Hermione said with a smile.

“I’ve tried that,” Harry replied sourly. “At least you don’t have to put up with it all. You get sympathy votes.”

“It’s no fun getting pitying looks, either,” she said. “I had a girl in one of my classes that I’ve never spoken to come up to me and give me a hug right out of the blue and tell me that she understood what I was going through.”

Harry shook his head as he warily grabbed for the paper. “What the bloody FUCK?” he shouted as he saw the new front page.

Hermione looked up startled. “What? What is it?”

Harry turned the paper around so she could see the very large picture on the front of him kissing Lavender and Cho on the cheek and them swooning after he left. “Potter Romances Friends; Gets Chang Pregnant” he read.

“WHAT?” Hermione asked, grabbing the paper. “You’ve got to be kidding me!”

Harry put his head in his hands. “I’m owling in sick to training today.”

Hermione dropped the paper on the table. “Harry, you can’t do that. That’ll make you seem guilty. You’ve never been one to hide away...”

“No, I really do feel sick,” Harry said, rubbed his eyes. “I’m going over to the Daily Prophet office and I’m going to find the son of a bitch who is writing all this and taking these pictures.”

Hermione picked up the newspaper again. “Where on earth do they get this stuff?” She began to read aloud: “Potter popped into Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions on the auspice to visit his good friend Cho Chang. The amorous Potter not only visited with the very pregnant Chang, but took her co-worker into a backroom for twenty minutes.”

“Oh honestly,” Harry snapped. “I was trying to talk to Lavender about this whole fucking situation!” He grabbed the paper away. “Close sources to Potter say that while Chang has married Potter’s best friend Neville Longbottom, it’s just a cover up to keep Potter’s current ‘girlfriend’, Hermione Granger from knowing who the true father of Chang’s child is.”

When Harry stopped reading, Hermione took the paper from him and she felt anger rising in her with every word. “Miss Granger is a Muggle-born witch who was educated at Beauxbatons Academy. Friends of Potter, who didn’t wish to be named, comment that they were quite surprised to see the handsome Potter dating such a ‘Plain Jane’. The source said, ‘She certainly doesn’t fit the typical Potter girl profile. She’s plain, mousy and quite bookish’,” Hermione read aloud.

Harry exhaled sharply. “This one really takes the cake,” he said tightly.

“Well I never!” Hermione slapped the paper down. “Plain Jane indeed!”

“You’re far from plain,” Harry replied dutifully.

“You know… this really has gone too far,” Hermione said angrily. “It’s one thing that they’re attacking you, which pisses me off enough! Damn it! But to bring my friends and my cousin into it and then insult me?” her eyes blazed.

“Hermione…” Harry was actually afraid.

“I’ve had it,” Hermione snapped. She looked up at him. “Be ready to go out tonight.”

“But…” Harry’s jaw hung open. “Don’t… you have an exam tomorrow?”

“I don’t’ care!” Hermione crumpled the paper up. “We’ve got a thing or two to prove. Be ready.” She left the kitchen.

**********

Lavender and Cho were sitting at the counter at Madam Malkin’s, knee high in disbelief. “Merlin, I hope Hermione won’t see this,” Cho moaned.

“Of course she will,” Lavender rolled her eyes. “I hope Seamus hasn’t seen this…”

“You two haven’t made up yet?” Cho asked her tone slightly timid.

“No,” Lavender replied, her voice downcast. “He was filming late last night and I didn’t get to see him.”

“I’m sure he knows better.” Cho said, and then jumped back as the door to the shop banged open. “Hermione!”

Hermione marched inside and slapped the newspaper down. “This is total and utter rubbish and I am sick of it!” her eyes still blazed.

“So you don’t believe it?” Cho asked.

“Of course I don’t,” Hermione replied. “Ridiculous nonsense. But I‘m tired of it, especially now that they’ve dragged my family and friends into it.”

“They’re insulting you too now,” Lavender added softly.

“I know,” Hermione replied. “So here’s hoping you’ll be able to take your lunch hour and go shopping with me.”

“What?” Lavender looked at her strangely. “Hermione- you want to go shopping? Don’t you have class?”

“Sod class,” Hermione was frowning. “I can spare a day or two if I can possibly put a stop to all this bullshit in the papers.”

Both Cho and Lavender stared at her, open-mouthed. “I’ve never heard you swear before Hermione,” Cho was shocked.

“Yes, well I’ve not been this angry in a long while.” Hermione replied. “I’ll come back at half past noon, is that okay?”

“Fine,” Lavender nodded, watching her go.

Hermione’s next stop was the Quibbler office. She announced herself to the receptionist and was ushered into Luna’s office minutes later.

“Hermione,” Luna got up from around her desk. “I saw this morning’s edition…”

“So have I, unfortunately,” Hermione sat down. “Look… I’ve come here to ask a favour of you…”

“Name it,” Luna replied.

“How would you like to write an exclusive article about Harry and me?” Hermione asked. “I’ll understand if you don’t want to get involved or you’re too busy…”

“I’d love to,” Luna agreed instantly.

Hermione sighed and smiled in relief. “Luna you’ve no idea what a burden you’ve lifted from my shoulders…”

“No, I really do…” Luna replied.

“I have one more favour,” Hermione asked. “Your… friend Michael… are you still friends with him?”

“Yes…” Luna said. “He… wasn’t happy when he found out I’d gotten back together with Ron but he handled it well.”

“Do you think he’d be willing to take photos of myself and Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I’d have to ask him,” Luna said. “But I think he would. It’s every photographer’s dream.” She gently teased.

Hermione gave her a small smile. “Harry and I are going out tonight. I’m going to have Cho or Lavender ‘spread the word’ that Harry will be in one place when in reality we’ll be at a club…” she sighed. “I honestly not sure why I let this get to me, but when I saw the article saying I was mousy… it really bothered me.”

“As it should,” Luna said sympathetically, placing a hand on Hermione’s shoulder. “I’d be angry too.” She got up. “Let me go fetch Michael for you.”

Hermione nodded, sitting back as Luna left the office. She peeked at herself in the little hand mirror on Luna’s desk, studying her reflection critically. “I’m not mousy,” she said emphatically. Hermione fingered her windblown strands, realising she’d have to have Lavender work on them that evening if she was so willing.

“He says he’d be glad to,” Luna popped back inside. Hermione set the mirror back on the desk as Luna sat down. “I wanted him to come in and meet you but he was just heading into the darkroom.” She smiled at her friend. “What time shall we drop in?”

“Can you both come by… around half past eight or is that too late?” Hermione asked.

“That should be fine,” Luna replied. “What should I bring?”

“Nothing but what you need to write a good, truthful article,” Hermione replied. “We’ll tell you anything you need to know Luna…”

“I promise to write a good article,” Luna replied. “Thank you so much for trusting me with this…” she was excited. An article like this could really send her up in the journalism world.

“No, thank you,” Hermione was relieved. “This is such a huge favour Luna…”

“I know,” Luna smiled. “Go and we’ll see you at half past eight.”

Hermione left feeling much better than she had just an hour before. She still had plenty of time before she had to meet Lavender at the shop so she decided to stop back at home to see if Harry was still at the cottage.

He was- she could hear him in the shower. Hermione had fleeting thoughts to join him but before she did she rang her parents, leaving a message for them to ignore this latest bit of false gossip.

Harry let the hot water run repeatedly over his shoulders and head, wishing he could wash away the newest bit of misery life had dealt him. Truth be told, it wasn’t as bad as it could be- it wasn’t pushing him and Hermione apart yet everyone he liked aside from his more intimate group of friends thought he was a cad.

He sighed as he raised his face to the shower head, not hearing the bathroom door open and close due to the rush of water.

Hermione slipped out of her shoes and jeans and then pulled her jumper over her head. She was feeling wound up from everything she’d done and she knew Harry needed some cheering up. Despite the fact that there was much more left to do, she knew that they both needed this. Throwing the last of her clothing to the floor, she pushed back the shower curtain.

Harry jumped. “Bloody hell!” he said.

“Didn’t mean to scare you,” she said softly. “Mind if I join you?”

“Of course I don’t mind,” Harry said, watching as she ducked under the spray. “Where did you go?”

“I made some plans,” she said vaguely. “For tonight...”

“Are you going to fill me in?” Harry asked, blinking as the water ran from his wet strands into his eyes.

“Well, I thought we could fight fire with fire,” Hermione said, running her hand slowly up his arm. “I asked Luna if she’d write a story on us and get her friend Michael to take some photographs...”

Harry stared at her a moment. “You... asked Luna... and take photos...” he began to laugh. “Hermione Jane you will never cease to amaze me you know that?”

She couldn’t help smiling at him. “I just think it’s time to show them that you are with one girl and one girl only...and she’s definitely not some plain, mousy bookworm. If everyone’s so bloody interested, let’s show them how it really is.”

Harry pulled her to him. “You’re the only girl I ever want to be with. This whole situation has only been bearable because you haven’t left my side.”

“And I never will,” she said, looping her arms around his neck and kissing him.

Harry kissed her back, his mouth forcing hers open as the water beat down over both of them. His fingers threaded through her thick, wet mass of hair as her body pressed against his.

Hermione felt Harry lift her up and she felt the warm tile wall against her back as he planted kisses along her neck line and down her shoulder. Being with him like this reminded her of the lake at Hillsdale.

He grunted as he wasted no time pushing inside her. Hermione sought his lips back out with hers as they moved together, her back still against the wall until they both cried out in pleasure.

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder, still feeling breathless and light-headed over what they’d just done. “Too bad the papers don’t get to see that,” she said teasingly.

“No they don’t,” Harry grinned back. He pushed a sopping lock of hair behind her ear. “I love you,” his eyes grew serious.

“I know you do,” she whispered. “And I love you...so much sometimes it scares me.”

“Me too,” Harry finally shut the water off and they got out of the shower, pulling towels around their bodies. “I’m sorry you have to go through all this because of me.”

“This isn’t your fault, Harry,” she said, scrunching up her hair to drain the water from it. “And I’d go through all this and more if it meant we’d still be together.”

Harry hugged her tightly to him. “Thank you,” he said, burying his nose in her hair.

“You don’t have to thank me,” she said softly.

“Well... most girls would have turned and run the other way if this had happened to them. Instead you’re working with me to fight back.” Harry replied.

“I thought you knew by now that I not like most girls,” she said with a sly grin.

“You most definitely aren’t,” Harry gave her a quick kiss. “So what time is this all happening tonight?”

“Half past eight,” she answered, walking over to the sink and running a comb through her damp hair. “Think you’ll be ready?”

“I’ll have bells on if you want me to,” Harry replied. “What should I wear?”

She gazed admiringly at him. The towel wrapped around his waist was dipping precariously low. “I’m kind of fond of that towel actually,” she said cheekily.

Harry laughed. “I’m sure I know why, but I don’t know how good that will look for an article supposedly telling the truth about our relationship.”

“Our friends might beg to differ,” Hermione said following him into the bedroom.

“What, is Luna interviewing everyone?” he asked, sitting on the edge of the bed and watching as she dressed.

“No,” she said, slipping back into her jeans. “But you know how they’re always talking about us being ‘rabbits’ and all.”

“Yeah,” Harry scratched the back of his head, running his hands through his perpetually messy hair. “You don’t think any of them will mention that do you? If Luna has to interview them?”

“No,” Hermione answered thoughtfully. “You know that they’d never say or do anything that would make us look bad...besides, tonight it’s just you and me.”

“Okay,” Harry said. “Where are you off to now?”

“Lavender and I are going to go shopping,” she said, taking her wand and performing a drying spell on her hair. “I have to get an outfit for tonight.”

“I think I’m going to kip for a little while,” he said. “I was going to go over to the Daily Prophet office and give them a piece of my mind but something tells me now I won’t need to.”

“If everything goes well tonight, you won’t,” Hermione said. “And get some sleep, love...you’re going to need it.”

23. Chapter 23

Author’s note: We’re posting this a day early because tomorrow (Saturday) is my co-author’s birthday---Heaven is turning the big 25. I know you all will join with me and wish her a very, very Happy Birthday! Although you probably can’t send her Jude Law or Sean Biggerstaff as a present, you could leave a review for her (and me) and tell us what you think. In this chapter, you see just what Hermione has planned and how it goes over with Mr. Psycho…so Happy Birthday, Heaven! And Happy Halloween to everyone!

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

“Thank you for taking the time to do this Michael,” Luna said as they walked together towards Harry and Hermione’s cottage.

“It’s no problem,” Michael replied. “Believe me, I’m jumping at this chance! To photograph Harry Potter… especially with all the recent hullabaloo…”

“It’s really wearing on both of them,” Luna said thoughtfully. “I hoping I can write a good enough article that it will settle the public down about them and let them lead their regular life like it was before this all started.”

“I’m curious as to how they got together,” Michael said, shifting his camera bag to his other hand.

Luna smiled. “That’s a whole other story in its own. It was at Hillsdale this summer- Hermione stepped in to help Harry and Cho out and it all bloomed from there. Very much a fairy tale in its own right,” she giggled.

Michael smiled. “Does sound delightful,” he said his voice soft.

“Harry and I have been close for quite some time,” Luna said as they turned into Horizon Alley. “Back in school for the longest time he was really one of the only people who gave me the time of day. Even Ron didn’t have much to do with me back then.”

“What changed his mind?” Michael asked curiously.

Luna shrugged. “I’m not sure… he came to Hillsdale this summer and I chose to be his dance instructor… we got close…” she felt bad talking to him about this when it was clear this man still harboured a fancy for her. “If you don’t want to hear about this I understand.”

“No, it’s all right.” Michael said. “I’m man enough to admit I’m jealous of this Ron bloke but not in a bad way. I’d like us to be friends no matter what.”

Luna smiled broadly at him. “Thank you. I want us always to be friends too.”

Harry had just finished getting dressed when the doorbell rang. “I think that must be Luna and her friend!” he called out to his girlfriend, who was still in the bathroom.

“Go ahead and let them in,” Hermione called back. “I’ll be down just as soon as I finish figuring out how to put this dress on.”

Harry shook his head but had a smile on his face as he went downstairs. He’d only seen Hermione briefly since she’d gotten back from shopping with her cousin- she had been sporting a slightly different hairstyle; long bangs now fell over her right eye and Hermione had done something to make it look tussled yet not sloppy.

“Hey Luna,” Harry said, opening the door. “And Michael, right?”

“Hello Harry,” Luna replied.

“Hi,” Michael held out his hand. “Yes… I’m Michael. It’s… it’s really great to meet you.”

“Pleasure’s all mine,” Harry shook his hand. “Thank you both so much for doing this.”

“It’s no problem Harry,” Luna assured him. “Where did we want to set up for this?”

“Living room, kitchen… you name it.” Harry replied. “Wherever you think the pictures will look best,” he nodded at Michael.

Michael looked at the different rooms. “I like the light you have here in the living room,” he said. “Plus it makes a nicer, more casual setting than sitting at a kitchen table.”

“All right then,” Harry said. “Hermione!” he called up the stairs. “You ready yet?”

“Be right down!” she called back.

“Hermione’s really going all out for this,” Harry told Luna. “She went out shopping with Lavender this afternoon and everything.”

“She’s as tired of this as you are,” Luna replied. “Honestly, you should have seen her the week you got stuck in Madrid when this all began. Owl after owl…” she shook her head. “I never even saw that many at Hogwarts!”

“Hello,” Hermione came into the room. “You must be Michael.” She smiled warmly and extended her hand.

Harry could only stare, forcing his jaw to not fall straight to the floor. The dress his girlfriend wore could very well have been painted on, although she wore a fitted button jumper so he couldn’t see the top yet. The dress fitted snugly over her hips and halfway down her thighs and was an icy blue colour.

Luna also looked surprised at Hermione’s choice of wardrobe but said nothing, only smiled at her friend. Michael shook her hand, wondering to himself how someone could call this woman mousy. Not only was she striking, she also had an air of confidence about her that gave off quite a dazzling impression.

Luna made her way over to one of the armchairs and motioned for Harry and Hermione to take a seat on the sofa. Michael knelt down beside Luna so he could take some photos during the interview.

Luna took out her Quick Quotes quill and notepad and smiled warmly at her two friends. “Okay, Harry...why don’t you tell our readers why you decided to do this interview in the wake of all the publicity you’ve received in the past week?” Luna asked.

“I wanted to set the record straight,” he replied. “The recent things written about myself and my friends have left me quite furious, especially at the claims made about my friend Cho Longbottom’s current condition, and even the cousin of my girlfriend.”

Luna nodded. “Your girlfriend is Hermione Granger, of course. All of our readers want to know how the two of you met.”

Hermione smiled at Harry, who put an arm over her shoulders. “We met this past holiday at a resort,” she began to tell an abbreviated tale of how they got together. “And after we left there we decided to move in together. So far it’s been wonderful, for the most part at least. Harry could certainly use a few pointers in terms of cleaning up the bathroom after himself,” she teased.

Luna and Michael laughed along with Harry and Hermione. Michael began to take a few snapshots as Luna kept on asking question after question engaging Harry and Hermione in topics that she knew her readers would want to know, without seeming overbearing or un-objective. “So, for the record, Harry, you were involved at one time with model Isabella Marconi, but that relationship is over?” Luna asked.

Harry shifted a bit. “It’s been over for quite some time. Until recently, I thought we were still friends. I found out she was hoping for more than I was willing to give.”

Luna nodded. “The photographs that were published depicted you and Miss Marconi in a somewhat compromising position. What can you tell us about that?”

“She asked me to go to a club for a couple of hours so I agreed, thinking it might be fun to catch up with her. Once we arrived, her intentions became clear- she pulled me to her and kissed me.” Harry rubbed the back of his neck as Hermione squeezed his hand supportively. “I pushed her away but evidently not soon enough as someone managed to take a picture of it.”

“In the wake of those photographs,” Luna continued, “there was another series of articles speculating on your involvement with Cho Chang, pardon me---Cho Longbottom. She has been a friend of yours since Hogwarts and recently married one of your best friends. What is the nature of your relationship with her?”

“She’s one of my very best friends,” Harry answered. “There’s not much I wouldn’t do for her, well for any of my friends really. They’re part of the reason I’m still here today, their support during the time I had to deal with Voldemort means more to me than almost anything. And for the record, I gave her away to her now husband at the wedding a few weeks ago in place of her father, who died during our sixth year.”

After a few more questions, Luna decided to wrap the interview up. With a look at Hermione, she gave her friend a reassuring grin. “In closing, Hermione...this past week hasn’t been easy on either you or Harry. How has it affected your relationship?”

Hermione gave her boyfriend a smile. “It’s not affected it negatively. One of the things I value most in a relationship is trust. I trust Harry. When he came home and told me what happened I believed him, as he’s not given me a reason to not trust him before.”

Luna beamed back at her friends and motioned for Michael to take some more photographs. “I think that went really well, you guys,” she said, putting her notepad away. “I hope I didn’t get too personal.”

“I think it was fine,” Harry answered.

Michael motioned with his camera. “I’d like to get a few close-ups of the two of you,” he said.

“Great,” Hermione said, leaning in closer to Harry, while Michael snapped away. With clenched teeth, she said softly to Harry, “I think we’ll both be blind by the time this is finished.”

Harry snorted quietly. “But hopefully the media will be off our backs,”

“You both did fantastic,” Luna complimented them. “This’ll show those Daily Prophet vultures.”

“I hope so,” Hermione replied as Michael finished taking photos. “I don’t know how you’ve dealt with this all your life Harry. I couldn’t have taken it.”

“I’d like to say I’ve gotten used to it, but that’d be a lie,” Harry said with a shrug. “It’s when it starts affecting people I care about that it takes on a whole new meaning...you know? Especially that stuff with Cho...she didn’t need that when she’s so close to delivering. It’s not right.”

“It’s not right in any case,” Hermione replied. She looked over at Luna and Michael. “Well... are you ready for more pictures?” she smiled at him. “We can head out to the clubs now. Lavender and Seamus have ‘spread the word’ that Harry will be elsewhere tonight so we’re hoping that you’ll be the only photographer there.”

Michael nodded and loaded his camera back in its case. “I’m ready when you are,” he said.

The four of them left the cottage, heading out into the brisk chill of England’s January. They wound up at a club near the Italian restaurant that Cho and Neville still frequented and Harry nodded to the bouncer, who let them pass ahead of everyone else. “You ready to show them all love?” he had to shout in Hermione’s ear.

Hermione’s response was to take Harry’s hand and lead him onto the crowded dance floor. A nagging voice in her head reminded her that she had an exam tomorrow that she was ill-prepared for, but some things were more important than studying. Besides, it didn’t count for that much of her final marks and she’d just make up for it on the next exam.

They found a spot near the middle of the floor and she crooked her finger in Harry’s direction beckoning him to come closer.

Harry smiled as he went towards her, his eyes darkening as she began to unbutton the jumper she’d been wearing for the interview.

“I take it you like my dress,” she said leaning in so he could hear her over the music.

Harry nodded vigorously as she peeled the jumper from her arms. He grabbed it away and tossed it towards the table that Michael and Luna had sat themselves down at, by the edge of the dance floor. He pulled Hermione close as they began to dance.

And dance…

*** *** ***

Lavender looked around the club. “I think they’ve figured out Harry isn’t coming,” she said. “I don’t see anyone with a camera.”

“Aye, but they’re sneaky buggers,” Seamus replied.

“That’s true…” Lavender turned his wrist around. “It’s half past two… I think we’re safe in leaving now anyways.”

“If you’re ready to go, sure.” Seamus said.

“I am,” Lavender replied. She was tired and annoyed that she and her boyfriend felt like strangers on a blind date. He helped her on with her cloak and they left, walking next to one another but not necessarily together.

“What’s going on here?” he asked when they had left the noisy club behind.

“What do you mean?” Lavender asked.

“I mean that we’ve barely said ten words to each other all night yet we’ve been out for hours,” Seamus replied.

Lavender looked over at him. “Are you still angry with me over the other day?” she asked.

Seamus rolled his eyes. “Are you?” he asked. “Lavender…”

She sighed as she walked ahead of him, Seamus running a few steps to catch up. “I don’t know,” she said before he could even open his mouth.

“You don’t know what?” Seamus asked.

Lavender sighed. “What we were fighting about in the first place.” She pushed her blonde hair out of her eyes. Seamus opened his mouth to reply but she held up her hand. “No… you were right. It wasn’t really any of my business.”

Seamus looked at her a long moment. “I’m sorry,” he said.

“No, don’t apologise,” Lavender turned to him, stopping in the middle of the street. “It’s just that…” she paused for a moment. “Even though Hermione and I haven’t always been close, I’ve always sort of felt… protective of her.”

“Protective?” Seamus asked.

“Well yes… not that she can’t fend for herself because I know she can, but… well back in school for instance, if anyone tried taking the Mickey out of her or gossiping about her behind her back, I’d be on them so fast with my wand it would make your head spin. I always defended her even if we were fighting, which Hermione and I usually were as teenagers.”

“And it bothered you to see Harry and Isabella together?” Seamus guessed.

“Well yes…” Lavender replied. “It also bothered me because it made me feel insecure- if Harry and Hermione had troubles like this when they’re so close, what would happen to the rest of us?”

“Lav,” Seamus stepped forward. “Our relationship is completely different from Harry and Hermione’s. We lead opposite lifestyles than they do.”

“I know that,” Lavender looked down. “But it scares me, all right?”

“Why?” Seamus asked.

“It just does,” Lavender replied. “If this was happening to me I wouldn’t be able to face it like Harry and Hermione are doing.”

“You wouldn’t have to face it alone,” Seamus tipped her chin up so he could look straight at her. “But this isn’t happening to us…” he paused a moment. “Well… not directly it’s not. And you haven’t received any backlash over the article you were in today.”

“Thank goodness,” Lavender replied. “You… weren’t angry about that were you? Cho and I were just playing around- we had no idea that photographer was there.”

Seamus scoffed. “Do you think for one minute that I’d believe that picture?”

“No,” Lavender said, a small smile appearing on her lips.

“But I must say, Harry has good taste,” Seamus’s eyes twinkled. “To get Cho pregnant then to disappear with you and also have Hermione waiting for him at home…” he shook his head.

Lavender giggled and hit him playfully in the shoulder. “You’re a goof,” she said, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I’m sorry for being such a pain the other night.”

“And I’m sorry for not listening to you,” Seamus replied, pulling her closer.

She smiled at him. “You know, I haven’t shut you up once tonight,” her hand crept up to tangle in his hair.

“No, you haven’t,” Seamus answered. “Time for you to do some catching up Ms. Brown.”

Lavender laughed as she leaned in and caught his lips in a kiss that warmed them both from head to toe.

*** *** ***

Gordon sat in the Transfiguration classroom at his desk and glanced at the empty desk beside him. Hermione was never late for class, especially on exam days. Usually, she showed up at least a half hour before the exam began to go over her notes one last time. But when Gordon showed up this morning with two cups of coffee and a couple of bagels, he’d been disappointed to see Hermione was nowhere to be found.

He glanced down at his watch once more. She had two minutes or she’d miss the exam. Their professor had a no tolerance view of tardiness and told his students that no excuses short of death would be acceptable.

At exactly eight o’clock, the professor made his way toward the door to close it, but Hermione breezed through at just the last second. With an apology to the professor she walked quickly to her desk and sat down. She didn’t even look in Gordon’s direction, but his eyes were fixed on her. Instead of looking prepared, she looked quite knackered. Her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail and she wore an old sweatshirt and jeans.

Hermione hastily set her bag down and pulled out her quills and a sheaf of blank parchment. She looked to the side and saw Gordon glancing at her in concern. She flipped her new bangs out of her eye and sent him a smile. “I’m okay,” she mouthed.

Gordon nodded and tried to concentrate as best he could on the exam, but he couldn’t get his mind off of what had made Hermione late. Part of him hoped it was that she’d had a huge row with Potter over those photos and articles the papers had started to run. Gordon couldn’t believe how well it had all gone. But, Hermione looked a little too relaxed for it just to be a row with Potter. Something else had to be going on and he was determined to get to the bottom of this when class was over.

Hermione was glad she’d had a chance to look over her notes that morning. She’d slept for a grand total of three hours before waking up at six. Even though this exam proved to be tough, she couldn’t keep her thoughts off Harry; how his body had pressed against hers the night before, how her dress had been wet with sweat as they’d left, her hair also damp, Harry’s glasses sliding down his nose... Hermione shook her head as she concentrated on her exam once more.

As usual, Gordon was the first one in the class to complete the exam. He gathered up his belongings and turned his exam in to the professor. Walking out of the classroom, he decided to take a seat on one of the benches and wait for Hermione to emerge.

Nearly twenty minutes later, she did and Gordon called out to her, but she didn’t seem to hear him. He got to his feet and took off after her and tapped her on the shoulder. “Hey,” he said, giving her a charming grin. “You sure seemed lost in thought.”

“Goodness, I’m sorry,” Hermione sighed. “I’m just exhausted is all.”

Gordon nodded sympathetically. “I was up late last night cramming too.”

Hermione smiled. “I was up early this morning,” she replied, covering her mouth as she yawned. “So how do you think you did?” she asked as they walked away from the classroom.

“I think I did okay,” he said modestly. “I was a little confused about his wording on question four, but I think I at least made it sound like I knew what he was talking about.”

“Yeah me too,” Hermione brushed her hair out of her eyes again. “I wonder if I should skive off our next class...”

“Skive off?” Gordon asked in disbelief. “Are you ill? I’ve never in all the years I’ve known you ever hear you talk about doing that.”

Hermione smiled. “There’s a first time for everything,” she said in a flippant tone that had never passed out of her lips before.

Gordon didn’t like this one bit. He had a feeling Potter was behind it. Hermione had done a lot of things lately that hadn’t been like her at all, and most of them could be tied back to Potter in one way or the other. He allowed himself the hope that it somehow had to do with Potter and those articles.

“Is everything okay?” he asked her, pulling a concerned face. “I know you’ve been having some trouble with Harry and I want you to know that if you ever need anyone to talk about it with...”

“Oh... no Gordon, it’s sweet of you to be worried but things honestly couldn’t be better between Harry and me.” Hermione smiled tiredly at him.

Gordon mustered a smile. “That’s...that’s really great, Hermione.”

“Yeah,” Hermione looked around and leaned in. “Do me a favour though?”

“Anything,” Gordon replied.

“Make sure you pick up a copy of The Quibbler tonight,” she whispered.

He gave her a quizzical look. “Why should I do that?” he asked.

Hermione smiled. “You’ll see. That’s all I’m going to say for now.”

Gordon stared at her trying to keep his temper in check. He didn’t like not knowing what was going on with her and she seemed determined to be coy. This girl before him was turning into someone he didn’t recognize and he blamed Potter for it. “Okay,” he said calmly. “I don’t even get a hint?”

She giggled, which nearly made Gordon recoil. “Let’s just say what’s in the Quibbler will put the Daily Prophet where it rightfully belongs- in the rubbish bin.” She glanced at her watch. “Will you let me borrow your notes to copy for tomorrow then? I really need to go have a kip or I’ll be worthless this afternoon.”

“You’re really going to skive off?” he asked. “But Hermione...you know how important these classes are. You don’t want to fall behind again, do you?”

“I haven’t fallen behind yet Gordon,” Hermione replied. “Honestly... Harry and my cousin were right- I’ve been taking things far too seriously. This past week has really taught me to lighten up and appreciate what I’ve got. I’m not going to slack off in my schoolwork, I promise.”

Gordon nodded like he understood, but inside he was fuming. Of course, Potter would want that, wouldn’t he? He’d want her to be at his beck and call whenever he needed her. Gordon wondered why she couldn’t see how much Potter was changing her.

“Right,” he said, plastering a fake smile on his face. “Of course you can borrow my notes.”

“Thank you,” Hermione reached up and gave him a quick hug. “I’ll see you at four then for Ancient Runes... will you just tell the Charms professor I’m ill? I’ll be back tomorrow all bright eyed but today I’m ready to fall asleep on my feet.”

“Of course,” he said weakly. He’d nearly asked her if she was going home for a quick shag with that bastard Potter, but he knew that if he said something like that she’d walk away from him for good and he didn’t want that.

“Thank you so much,” Hermione smiled at him. “You’re a good friend Gordon.”

“You’d do the same for me,” he said with a shrug.

“Of course, but you’d never skive class,” she teased, turning to walk away. “I’ll see you this afternoon.”

“Enjoy your kip,” he said, but she hadn’t heard him. She’d already walked away.

There would be a time in the not so distant future when she’d be rushing home to be with him and Potter would just be an unpleasant memory.

*** *** ***

Cho hated the fact that she was being so irritable, but she felt that she must be the most uncomfortable person alive. Her feet were swollen, her head aching, and her baby was continually pressing down on her bladder forcing her to make multiple trips to the loo.

Neville was home until she gave birth, and for that she was glad, yet his constant fussing over her was also driving her mad. “I’m fine,” she snapped when he offered her some juice.

“Did you want something to eat then?” Neville asked. “You didn’t eat anything for breakfast.”

“No,” Cho sighed. “I just... I don’t know what I want. I want to not be pregnant anymore!”

Neville patted her hand. “I know, but on the bright side, you only have a few more days.”

“It feels like forever,” Cho grumbled.

“Just think of all the sleep we’ll miss in the next couple of years,” Neville said, trying to make her laugh. “And then we’ll get to chase after her when she tries to get into everything and then there’s teething, dirty nappies...”

“It’s got to be better than this.” Cho said, struggling to get up.

Neville offered her his hand and she glared at him. She obviously wanted to do this by herself. “Let me help you...”

“No, I can actually get up myself,” Cho pushed his hand away. “I’m not feeble.”

“I know you’re not,” Neville snapped back at her, and immediately felt remorseful. He just felt as if everything he did lately was getting on her nerves. “I’m just trying to help, Cho.”

“I know you are,” Cho felt bad. “And I’m sorry...” she put up a hand. “Hold that thought.” She waddled off in the direction of the loo.

Neville made himself a sandwich as he waited for his wife to come back. He wished he could do something to make her more comfortable, but it seemed like she just wanted to be left alone. He’d just sat down at the table with his sandwich, juice and a bag of crisps when Cho came back into the kitchen.

“I hate being pregnant,” she whined morosely. “It makes me so annoyed, especially being so close to birth! I’m sick and tired of everything- of going to the doctor, of Harry owling every ten minutes, of being kicked and running for the bathroom every five minutes!” she put her face in her hands and began to cry.

Neville stood up and walked over to his wife and hugged her. “It’s going to be okay, Cho. Really.”

“Will it?” she hugged her husband, burying her face in his shoulder.

“Of course,” Neville said, stroking her hair as she sobbed on his shoulder. “Really, Cho. You’ve come this far. You’ve just got to hold on a few more days and then we’ll get to meet our daughter.”

Cho couldn’t help but let out a little laugh. “You’re right,” she kept her head on his shoulder as he kissed her forehead. Part of her was still in disbelief that things had come around the way they had and that Neville was being so unselfish in helping her this way- even going so far as to adopt her baby and make it his. “I love you,” she said softly.

“Even when I’m in protective mode?” he asked teasingly, kissing her forehead. “Even when I’m following you around the house asking if you’re okay and if there’s anything I can do? Merlin, when I think about it like that, I have been pretty annoying, haven’t I?”

“Yes,” Cho agreed, her smile teasing. “But in the long run I probably wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Good,” Neville said, giving her a lingering kiss before heading back to the table.

“What did you make?” Cho asked.

“Turkey and cheese on rye,” Neville said simply. “Do you want half?”

Cho stared longingly at the food. “Can you make me a whole one?”

“Of course,” he said with a laugh as she sat down at the table. “You want everything on it?”

“Everything but tomatoes,” Cho replied, grabbing a handful of his crisps.

“Okay,” he said, shaking his head. “That means that I get half of yours, too.”

“Don’t even think about it,” Cho said ravenously. “Merlin I’m starving...”

“I’m a little concerned that you may be turning into Ron,” Neville said, as he cut her sandwich in half and placed it on a plate.

“Yes well if I was Ron, then I’d still be as slim as I was before I got pregnant,” Cho retorted.

Neville laughed and handed Cho her sandwich which she eagerly took. He sat back down beside her and they both ate in silence for a few moments.

“You know what I hate most about being pregnant?” Cho asked.

Neville shook his head. “What?”

“Not being able to dance,” Cho replied. “I miss dancing so much. Nothing else I’ve done in my life- aside of course from marrying you- has ever made me as happy as I’ve been while dancing.”

“I could always tell how much you loved it,” Neville said, remembering how he used to watch her and Harry countless times on the dance floor and when they practised. “You’d get this look in your eyes and I don’t know how to explain it, but you’d look as if there’s nowhere else you’d rather be.”

Cho sighed as the baby kicked out again. “That’s how I used to feel. So much has changed since last June.”

“For all of us,” Neville agreed.

“Most of it has been good,” Cho smiled.

“Most of it?” Neville asked, trying to look affronted. “I hope that marrying me at least makes it in your top five.”

“Are you kidding,” Cho smiled. “It’s been the best thing by far. And I’m sure once we get an actual honeymoon...” her words were broken off as she grimaced sharply.

“Cho?” Neville asked, a worried expression coming over his face. “What is it?”

“Just some false contractions,” Cho shook her head. “I’ll be fine soon as they pass.”

“Are you sure?” he asked, reverting back to overprotective mode. “Is there anything I can do?”

“I wish there was,” she said, her eyes shut tight. “Ooohhhhh...” she finally let out a breath a few minutes later. “Well... this does mean I’m close, very close.”

“Go easy on your mum, little one,” Neville said, patting Cho’s stomach.

“I’m glad I won’t be pregnant anymore but I wonder if what lies after this will be even scarier,” Cho put her hand on top of his. “We’re going to have a baby, in less than a week... another human life to care for.”

“I’m not going to say that I’m not scared, because I am,” Neville said truthfully. “This is the biggest thing that either of us has ever done and we’re not going to know what the hell we’re doing most of the time, but we’ll learn as we go.” With a sly smile, he added. “And with the next four we have, we’ll be old pros.”

“Excuse me did you just say four? I hope you were planning on carrying and delivering at least three of them,” Cho glared at her husband.

“Okay, we can compromise,” Neville teased. “How about two more?”

“We’ll see,” Cho replied. “I’m not making any promises Longbottom.”

“Yeah, should probably see how we do with the first one, eh?” he asked.

Cho shook her head but smiled as he grinned at her. “I can’t wait to read Luna’s article tonight,” she took a large bite of sandwich.

“Me too,” Neville said. “Maybe it’ll shut those wankers at training up....they’ve been laying it on pretty thick with Harry.”

“How has he been taking it?” Cho asked. “Not well if I know him...”

“Not well would be an understatement,” Neville said, shaking his head. “I’ve had to hold him back a few times. What’s worse is it’s not just the other people in the class, it’s the instructors, too.”

“Merlin,” Cho said. “Maybe he should have Hermione come in and show them a thing or two. I’m sure she knows a good hex that will shut them up.”

“Well, hopefully this article will clear everything up everyone and she won’t have to resort to such measures,” Neville said before finishing his juice.

“I’m glad Luna is writing it for them. I wish we could have been there to see what sort of pictures her friend Michael took,” Cho held onto her stomach again as another contraction began.

Neville took her hand and squeezed it until her pain subsided. “Okay now?” he asked softly.

“Thank you,” she leaned against him. “You’re too good to me Neville.”

“I love you, Cho,” Neville said smiling at her. “I hope you know by now I’d do anything for you and for the baby.”

“You already have,” Cho kissed him.

*** *** ***

Luna paced back and forth in her small living room. “I am so nervous,” she confessed.

“Why?” Ron asked.

“I just hope I did Harry and Hermione’s relationship some justice...” Luna fingered her lucky butterbeer cork necklace. “I mean... they’re my friends and I had to stay as objective as I could....”

“I’m sure you did fine,” Ron reassured her. “I wish you’d have let me see it before you turned it over to your dad.”

“I’m kind of funny about that thing,” Luna said as Ron pulled her down on the sofa. “It should be delivered any minute now by owl... to all subscribers...”

“I can’t wait to read it,” Ron said smiling at her. “I can’t believe your dad let you have a four-page spread and the cover story. That’s fantastic. Not to mention that you did this all in one day, Luna. I am in awe.”

She smiled. “Well... there’s not much I wouldn’t do for a friend in need. By the looks of it, Harry needs some good publicity.”

“And he’s going to get it courtesy of one Luna Lovegood,” Ron said proudly. “And to celebrate, you and I are going out tonight.”

She grinned. “Sounds good to me,” she leaned over for a quick kiss.

There was a knocking at the front door that startled both of them. Luna walked quickly over to the door and looked through the peephole to see Michael standing at her front door with a stack of newspapers. Excitedly, she swung open the door and Michael grinned. “Hot off the presses!” he exclaimed.

Luna let out a loud squeal and pulled him inside. “Ron they’re here!” she called excitedly.

Ron quickly came forward and said a polite hello to Michael who was still beaming from ear to ear. “The photos turned out fantastic, but your article, Luna...it’s absolutely wonderful. Your dad reckons this will be the best seller we’ve had in years,” Michael said.

“I hope Harry and Hermione are pleased with it, that’s all that matters to me,” Luna grabbed two copies and handed one to her boyfriend.

Ron looked at the front page and saw a huge photograph of Harry and Hermione dancing. Ron laughed. “My best friend is such a show off.”

“They were doing that on purpose,” Luna nudged him.

Ron’s mouth fell open as the photograph Hermione turned and her back was to Harry. He could see properly her icy blue dress that hugged every curve. “Um, well...wow,” he said. “She wore that?” he finally asked. “I’ll give you three guesses what the two of them did when they got home and the first two don’t count.”

“Ronald!” Luna said. “My article!!!”

“Oh, yeah,” Ron said quickly. “Right.”

Meanwhile at the cottage, Hermione was doing some pacing of her own in front of an amused Harry. “You ever hear the expression a watched pot never boils?” he asked her teasingly.

Hermione glared at him. “You’re just testy because I wouldn’t have sex with you while we waited for the Quibbler to show up.”

“I never asked you to,” he reminded her. “All I said was that there were better things to do while we waited...if your mind automatically went there, how is that my fault?”

Hermione shook her head. “Because Harry Potter, you have a one track mind and I too often am on the receiving end of it.”

“There we have it, I’ve finally corrupted you,” he said triumphantly. “And she used to be so perfect...now she’s skiving off not one class, ladies and gentlemen, but her entire afternoon classes as well. Where did we go wrong?”

Hermione had to bite back her smile. “You’re one of a kind Potter, thank Merlin for that.”

“Yeah,” he said, puffing out his chest. “I don’t think the world could handle two of me.”

“Ugh,” Hermione rolled her eyes. “What was I thinking when I decided to get together with you?” her tone turned teasing

“That you couldn’t resist me?” he asked, winking at her.

“That could be,” Hermione finally stopped pacing and fell onto the sofa beside him.

“You know in case I didn’t say it enough last night, you looked fantastic. Everyone kept looking at you and wondering what you were doing with me,” he said softly, putting an arm around her.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him. “I’ll bet they were really wondering what flavour of the week you were on,” she joked.

“Probably,” he agreed. “But hopefully the article will convince them otherwise.”

At that moment they both heard a tapping on the window. Hermione practically leapt up and grabbed a few coins they had sitting on the table. She paid the owl and raced to sit back down. “I’m so nervous!” she breathed, her heart pounding.

Harry didn’t want to admit it, but so was he. There was still a chance that this might make things worse, but he had faith in Luna. He smiled at Hermione as she unfolded the newspaper.

“Wow...” Hermione smiled as she was treated to the large photograph of the two of them dancing, the large headline above saying “The REAL Harry Potter...” and underneath saying “What You Know, What You Don’t Know, and What I’ve Found Out,” by Luna Lovegood.

“Wow,” Harry commented, looking at the photograph over Hermione’s shoulder. “I told you that you looked fantastic.”

Hermione smiled. “You don’t look so bad yourself.” She leaned against him. “You read it,” she said.

Harry smiled as he took the newspaper from Hermione and began to read aloud.

What witch or wizard doesn’t know who Harry Potter is? His face has appeared on Chocolate Frog cards, his story has been told countless times. His life is that of legend. But who is the real Harry Potter? Is he some attention-seeking tragic hero? Is he a Casanova leaving broken hearts across the world as some of our colleagues in the wizarding press would have you believe?

To find out the real answer, I sat down with Harry Potter in his home. As he was burned recently in other publications, Harry was a little reluctant to give an interview. But, when recent publicity cast people he cared about in a bad light, he decided it was time to set the record straight.

Despite appearances to the contrary, Harry is not out romancing a different girl every night. He is currently involved in a committed, loving relationship with Hermione Jane Granger, a Muggle-born witch educated at Beauxbatons Academy.

While Potter admits that he certainly dated around in the past, that all changed this summer when he met the girl he says changed his life.

The article was interrupted here by a close-up picture of Harry and Hermione smiling happily for the camera. “Luna’s absolutely brilliant,” Hermione said.

“She sure is,” Harry said. “And these photographs Michael took...”

Hermione leaned her head on Harry’s shoulder as they saw another picture of them laughing together next to the close-up. “I love when you laugh,” she said.

“I should do it more often then,” he teased. He began to read the article aloud again.

Harry and Hermione met this summer at a resort where Harry was working as a dance instructor. Hermione, who was on holiday with her parents, first saw Harry in a parking lot at the resort. She didn’t know who he was at the time, but remembered thinking he was quite cute.

“Our eyes met across a crowded parking lot,” Harry remembers fondly, earning a playful shove in the arm from his girlfriend.

“And then we danced together, it all went uphill from there,” Hermione says, sharing a secret smile with Harry.

Their young relationship has had to weather many storms, most recently rumours about his reuniting with ex-girlfriend Isabella Marconi, the world-famous model.

Recent photographs showing Harry and Marconi in a compromising position did not show the real story. Harry insists that he was simply catching up with an old friend who obviously had other ideas. A photographer snapped a picture of Isabella kissing Harry.

“They obviously didn’t take a photo of me pushing her away,” Harry recalls.

Hermione said she never doubted her boyfriend and vows to stand by him no matter what comes their way. “He’s never given me any reason to doubt him,” she says firmly, her hand in his. “He came home and told me immediately what happened and I believed him.”

Rumours also surfaced that Harry was responsible for the pregnancy of his close friend, Cho Longbottom (Chang).

These are rumours he categorically denies and that he finds the most upsetting. “Say what you want about me,” he says. “I could care less, but when you bring my friends into it...” his voice trails off.

Friendship means more to Harry than anything. Not having a family of his own, he made his own from his circle of friends. With Hermione, that circle is now complete.

“I think Hermione is definitely the woman I’ve been searching for all my life,” he smiles at her. “She really brings out the best in me.”

“We bring out the best in each other,” Hermione agrees. “Things aren’t always perfect, of course, but at the end of the day, we have each other and that’s all that either of us really has ever wanted.”

Their hectic schedules have posed a problem, too. Hermione is continuing her studies at a local university and Harry is in his first year of Auror training.

“We try to keep a few hours a day aside just to be together,” Hermione says. “Of course, that’s not always possible, but we make do where we can.”

“We also spend a lot of time with friends, and my parents, who are Muggle dentists, also have had the chance to get to know Harry quite well.”

And you’ve heard it here first, readers, there is something Harry Potter doesn’t excel at....the Muggle sport of golf. He took the sport up to get to know Hermione’s dad and so far his skills on the course are quite limited, he readily admits.

“I am determined to get better at it,” Harry says with a laugh. “But right now I‘m bloody awful. It’s quite embarrassing actually.”

“My father gave him a book on golf for Christmas, and I’m sure he’s hoping that Harry will have picked up a few pointers on it by the time the weather gets nice again,” Hermione laughs.

Harry turned the page to reveal an all new set of photographs. “Look at that,” Harry said, pointing to a photo of Hermione’s head resting on his shoulder that must have been taken at the end of the night.

“He’s a wonderful photographer,” Hermione smiled. “We should really do something nice for the both of them Harry.”

“We should,” Harry nodded. “I can’t believe how well it’s all turned out.”

If Gordon thought his day couldn’t get any worse, he was quite mistaken. Not only had Hermione not been in their afternoon classes, she hadn’t even called or owled him to let him know she was okay.

He was in such a bad mood, he’d forgotten about Hermione asking him to purchase The Quibbler that evening. He didn’t usually read that particular newspaper anyway and just figured it was something glorifying Potter again.

He’d just walked into his flat and poured himself a glass of juice when there was a loud knocking on the door. Gordon groaned as he set his glass down on the counter and made his way to the door.

He opened it and saw his friend from the Daily Prophet, Andrew Murphy, standing before him. He was clutching a newspaper in his hand and he didn’t look happy at all.

“Andrew,” Gordon said disinterestedly. “What brings you by?”

“I don’t suppose you’ve seen this?” Andrew shoved the Quibbler at him.

Andrew breezed past Gordon and with a heavy sigh, Gordon closed the door and unfolded the newspaper. The sight before him sent his blood boiling.

“What the hell is this?” he asked, looking at the large photo on the front of the paper.

“Exactly what it looks like,” Andrew snapped. “I nearly got sacked tonight from MY fucking job because of the supposedly ‘truthful’ tips you’ve been giving me, that turned out to be NOT so true after all!”

Gordon didn’t even hear Andrew, his eyes were focused on those photographs of Potter pawing at Hermione, who just seemed to let him do what ever he wanted.

The Hermione in the photograph spun around in her low-cut blue dress and Gordon clutched the paper tighter in his hands. It was like she was taunting him.

“This isn’t her,” Gordon said staring at the girl in the photograph. “Oh, I know it’s her, but it’s not really her. Do you see what he’s done to her? She looks...she’s...he’s turned her into a tart. The girl I know would never do something like this, Andrew. This isn’t her!”

“I beg to differ Gordon,” Andrew said. “She’s the one who orchestrated this with Luna Lovegood at the Quibbler. This is all OVER the place and it’s reflecting horribly on us at the Prophet.” He stood up abruptly. “Just because you’ve got a thing for this girl—“

“THIS IS YOUR FAULT!” Gordon shouted throwing the paper to the ground and grabbing his friend by the collar. He shoved Andrew against the wall. “I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING TO NAIL POTTER TO THE WALL ON THIS AND YOU BLEW IT!”

“You gave me FALSE information!” Andrew snapped back.

Gordon released his grip on Andrew and walked away. “She believed him, Andrew. After all he’s done to her, she still believes him. What I don’t understand is why? Why won’t she see what he’s doing to her?”

“Why do you care?” Andrew straightened his robes out.

Gordon laughed. “I care because I love her and she loves me, Andrew.”

Andrew stared at him for a long moment. “She doesn’t love you Gordon. She loves Harry Potter. She wouldn’t have done all this if she didn’t. And she bloody LIVES with him, not you!”

“Yeah, well we’ll see how long that lasts,” Gordon said defiantly, an evil glint in his eye. “If it wasn’t for him, she’d be with me.”

The journalist began to feel slightly afraid. “You don’t know that,” he said.

Gordon ignored his friend. “No matter what I do to make him look bad, he always gets her to see that it wasn’t his fault or that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And she buys it every time. I need to do something to get her away from him so she won’t believe his lies anymore.”

Andrew’s jaw fell open. “What the hell are you thinking Gordon?” he asked.

Gordon’s eyes clouded over as he thought about what he could possibly do; what would possibly work. “Never you mind, Andrew. This is between Hermione and me. No one else.”

“If you’re planning on doing something—“ Andrew started.

“DON’T YOU THREATEN ME!” Gordon exclaimed furiously. “If you say one fucking word about me, I’ll tell anyone who’ll listen how you cheated your way through school. You wouldn’t be able to write your way out of a paper bag with all that I have on you.”

Andrew shook his head. “If you’re planning on kidnapping or something like that I can’t keep quiet! Damn it Gordon! You’re obsessed can’t you see that?”

“Obsessed?” Gordon asked, shaking his head. “I’m not obsessed. I want what is best for her and Harry Potter isn’t it.”

“That’s for HER to decide not you!” Andrew said, his hands shaking.

“And when did you all of a sudden get all moral?” Gordon said with a laugh. “You’d sell your soul for the perfect story. You said so yourself.”

“This goes above and beyond being moral,” Andrew said, grabbing his bag and moving towards the door.

“You’d better keep quiet,” Gordon said, coming up behind his friend. “It would be unfortunate if something should happen to you...”

“Are you threatening me?” Andrew asked, growing angrier at Gordon’s attitude.

“I wouldn’t call it threatening,” Gordon said calmly. “I’d say I was warning you. There’s a big difference.”

Andrew glared at him before pulling out of his grip and slamming the door behind him.

Gordon slowly picked up the crumpled up newspaper at his feet. He ran his fingers along the photograph of Hermione. “This isn’t you,” he whispered, tracing along her face with his finger. “But don’t worry...”

His voice trailed off as he tore the photograph in half. “You’ll be with me soon enough. My Hermione...my sweet, innocent Hermione.”

24. Chapter 24

Author’s note from Heaven: Hey everyone! Thank you SOOOOOOO much for the birthday wishes! It
really meant a lot to me! *tear* ;) And I appreciate that some of you
would have sent me Sean or Jude. Maybe for Christmas eh? hahaha

This is a chapter most of you have been waiting for!! Hope you all
enjoy and please let us know what you think! And there is a line in this chapter from the movie “Look Who’s Talking”. Can you find it?

And remember what we said about Gordon- he's STILL gonna get worse!!!

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Luna Lovegood and Michael Trent were treated much like celebrities the next day at work. The article had been an absolute smashing success and Mr. Lovegood was considering reprinting it, as the demand on the paper had been quite high.

Luna was hardly able to wipe the smile from her face all that day. Her co-workers kept congratulating her on a piece well written- which meant as much to her as the success of the article and Michael was also seen grinning from ear to ear as well.

Yet by far the best part of the day was when Ron stopped by her office at around half past four with two envelopes.

“How’s my favourite smashing journalist today?” Ron asked cheekily.

“On Cloud Nine,” Luna said happily. “You wouldn’t believe the feedback we’ve received on this. I keep meaning to owl Harry and Hermione to see what they thought, but I haven’t had a moment to myself all day.”

“Well I just got back from seeing Harry and Hermione,” Ron replied. He started to laugh. “Not only has the Daily Prophet retracted all their comments and photos, but Hermione scored perfectly on her exam. So let’s just say I left them celebrating quite heavily...”

“They deserve it,” Luna said with a grin. “I’m just happy that Michael and I could help.”

“Well that’s what brings me over here- aside from wanting to see you of course.” Ron grinned. “Can you call him in here?”

Luna gave him a quizzical look. “Yeah, he should be in the darkroom.” She opened up her office door and asked a co-worker if she could ask Michael to come to her office. “What’s this all about Ron?” Luna asked, noticing that he was holding something behind his back. “Flowers again?”

“Nope,” Ron replied.

“This isn’t like that time you had that envelope of rattlesnake eggs, is it?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at him. “That nearly scared me to death.”

“I swear it’s not,” Ron said as a knock sounded on the door. Michael peeked inside.

“I’m not interrupting anything am I?” he asked. “Maria told me you wanted me to come in here...”

“I honestly don’t know,” Luna said, ushering him inside. “Ron isn’t being very forthcoming.”

“As I was just telling Luna, job well done, Michael.” Ron smiled at him. “I’ve just come from seeing Harry and Hermione and they’ve asked me to play delivery boy.” He handed one envelope to Michael with a flourish and the other to his girlfriend.

Michael opened his and extracted a gold coloured piece of parchment with the official Gringotts seal on it. He stared at it for a moment, then looked up at Ron, then back at the parchment. “I... I can’t take this...” he stammered. “A hun- hundred Galleons from Harry Potter’s vault?”

“Harry and Hermione were very pleased with the photos,” Ron said. “They wanted you to have this.”

“But that’s so much!” Michael replied.

“Trust me when I say Harry can afford it,” Ron assured him. “He’s really a generous bloke, but don’t ever tell him I said that.”

“Take it, Michael,” Luna said encouragingly. “You deserve it. My article would have been nothing if it hadn’t been for your photos.”

Michael shook his head. “I’ll have to go write him a thank you owl,” he nodded at Ron and Luna. He walked out of the office, still mumbling.

“I think he’s excited,” Ron looked at his girlfriend. “Now you open up!”

“They didn’t have to get me anything,” Luna said, looking at the envelope. “If anything, I should be buying the two of them something. This is really going to help my career.”

“Well I’m actually as curious as you are,” Ron said. “They were all set to owl these to you and Michael when I stopped by so I offered to bring them over.”

Luna sat on the edge of her desk as she examined the envelope. “Alright,” she said as she opened it and saw there was a travel brochure inside. Inside was a certificate for an all-expense paid weekend at a bed & breakfast in Brighton. “This has both our names on it,” she said, handing it over to Ron.

Ron’s jaw fell much like Michael’s had. “An all expense paid weekend?” he looked at her. “All expenses paid?”

“That’s what it says,” Luna said excitedly.

Ron laughed and grabbed her around the waist. “We’re going to have a weekend away, all to ourselves, with NO INTERRUPTIONS!” he danced around the room happily.

Luna giggled. “It says here they have really great food. Are you sure you’re feeling okay, but you didn’t even seem to notice that part.”

Ron laughed as he leaned in to kiss her. “Food is always good but I’m really just looking forward to being alone with you.”

“Me too,” Luna agreed. “It says here that we can go anytime we want.”

“Let’s plan it as soon as possible,” Ron said excitedly.

“Well we can’t go this weekend,” Luna reminded him. “Cho could deliver at any moment and I don’t want to miss that.”

“So maybe next weekend? We’ll have to find someone who’s willing to take care of that disaster of a dog I gave you for Christmas...” Ron said.

“You’re just jealous,” Luna teased.

“Hey I have more self control than that mutt,” Ron replied. “I don’t pee in your bloody bed every night!”

“You have to be patient with him,” Luna lectured. “He’s not fully trained yet.”

“It’s going to take a miracle to get that dog trained,” Ron said.

“I think this has more to do with the fact that he ate your sandwich the other night when you stepped out of the kitchen,” she said.

“That too,” Ron said. “That thing is an utter pig. I should have just bought you a pig instead. They don’t jump!”

“Need I remind you that you were the one who gave him to me,” Luna said. “And I recall how you sat on the sofa with him the other night watching the telly and you both looked absolutely adorable?”

Ron smiled. “All right... so he’s not completely horrid,” he shook his head. “There’s something about the way he’ll jump up on your chest and kiss you to death that’s really very...”

“Adorable?” Luna interjected.

“Yeah,” Ron replied. “I guess so...” he laughed as she leaned forward to kiss him again.

Unfortunately there was a knock on the door just then and Luna groaned. “What was it you were saying about no interruptions?”

“Why do we always have to go away for that?” Ron asked as she went to open the door.

Mr. Lovegood stood at the door. “Sweetheart, one of the American papers wants to run your story!” he said excitedly.

“Really?” Luna let out a loud squeal.

He scooped his daughter up in his arms and gave her a warm hug. “I told you this was just the beginning for you.”

“That’s fantastic,” Ron was delighted for his girlfriend.

“Oh, hello Ronald,” Mr. Lovegood said, letting go of his daughter and shaking Ron’s hand. “This is great news, isn’t it?”

“It’s absolutely amazing,” Ron said. “Not that it’s happening to Luna, because I figured it would sooner or later, but so fast.” He wrapped his arms around her.

“They’re really happy with Michael’s work, too,” Mr. Lovegood said. “One of the editors is going to come over here via portkey and wanted to speak to the two of you in person. They should be here in about 10 minutes.”

“All right,” Luna replied. She looked at Ron who seemed to get the message as Mr. Lovegood left the office.

“We can celebrate... again... later tonight.” He grinned. “I really am proud of you.”

“Thanks,” Luna said, picking up her notepad. “I can’t believe this is happening. An American paper, Ron!”

“Kiss for even better luck?” Ron said, grabbing the B&B envelope for safekeeping.

“Of course,” she said, coming back around her desk. She put a hand to Ron’s nape and pulled him to her capturing his lips in a lingering kiss. “I better go,” she said a few moments later. “Will you tell Harry and Hermione thank you for me?”

“Soon as I work up the courage to go back there,” Ron replied. “They started their ‘celebration’ before I even left the room.”

“Well, remember to knock first and you should be okay,” she said, smoothing down her skirt. “I’ll see you tonight, okay?”

“I’ll go to your place and let Paddington out for a bit,” Ron said.

“Thanks,” she said gratefully and with one last smile at her boyfriend walked out of her office.

*** *** ***

Hermione lay in bed later that evening feeling too happy to sleep. She and Harry had their own private celebration and despite her promise not to skive off anymore classes, she’d made another exception today. After going in to see her transfigurations professor about her exam she figured that it would be okay to skip the rest of her classes and she’d just borrow the notes from Gordon on Monday.

She heard Harry begin to stir beside her and she turned to face him. “I thought you were asleep,” she said softly.

“I’m in too bloody good a mood,” Harry said.

“Me too,” she said grinning goofily at him.

Harry pulled her over so she was straddling him, her satin covered upper body leaning over his chest. “Can you believe how good this turned out?” he asked, stroking her hair.

“Much better than I ever imagined,” she said, leaning down and kissing him.

Harry ran his hand around her neck while his other hand went up into her top. “You up for it?” he asked huskily.

“Up for what?” she teased, kissing him again.

Harry bucked up against her body. “You know exactly what I’m referring to, Ms. Granger.” He lifted up on her negligee. “You didn’t think you’d be wearing this all night did you?”

“No,” she whispered, as she sat up and lifted the silky negligee up over her head and tossed it carelessly to the floor. “Better?”

Harry pulled her down so her breasts were pressed against him. “That’s better,” he ran his hands over her back through her hair.

She quivered at his touch and felt the overwhelming, familiar need to be joined with him. Crashing her lips to his, he rolled them over so he was on top of her.

“Hermione...” he muttered as she rubbed her body over his boxers.

“Yes?” she asked softly.

“Hurry... up...” he said through clenched teeth.

She grinned as she pulled at his boxers and just to torture him a bit, she took her time.

“Damn it!” Harry groaned as she eased his boxers off. He yanked her back up and he was already past the foreplay stage as Hermione pushed her body so that he was inside her immediately.

Hermione sank her nails into his back and pulled him harder against her.

It didn’t seem to matter that they had already made love several times that evening in various places around their house; their passion was at what seemed to be an all time high. Harry groaned as she took control, pushing herself up and down on him.

Harry’s grunting carried over Hermione’s soulful moans. Letting out a final, ragged cry Hermione collapsed on top of Harry. Several moments passed before they were both breathing normally and Hermione rolled off of him.

They didn’t speak as Harry pulled her over so they were lying close, and both were finally drifting off to sleep when a frantic tapping sounded at their bedroom window. “What the fuck is that?” Harry muttered.

Hermione looked up sleepily. “Owl?” she asked, her voice scratchy.

Harry groaned. “Haven’t we seen enough of those lately?” he whined.

Hermione nodded and slowly pulled the covers back and slipped her top back on as she walked over to the window to see a brown owl at the window carrying an envelope. Opening the window, she was hit by a blast of cold air and she shivered as she took the letter from the owl. Closing the window again, she rubbed her arms as she handed the letter to Harry.

He put his glasses back on as he ripped the envelope open. Hermione noticed his change in expression but before she could ask what was wrong Harry was yanking his clothes on. “Cho’s gone into labour.” He said.

“Is she at St. Mungo’s?” Hermione asked, as she walked over to the closet.

“Yeah, in a private ward,” Harry replied, pulling some jeans on and blindly grabbing a jumper from the closet.

They both finished dressing and Hermione sat on the unmade bed, putting on her shoes. “Are we going by floo?” she asked Harry.

“Yeah, since we can’t apparate,” Harry replied. “Shit, I can’t believe she’s gone into labour!”

“She’s going to be okay, Harry,” Hermione said softly.

Harry blew his breath out. “Let’s just get going...” he flew down the stairs.

“Right,” she said, hurrying behind him.

They arrived at the hospital- private wards had the opportunity of patient’s friends and relatives Flooing in- and Harry immediately asked where Cho Longbottom’s room was.

The nurse on duty studied her charts. “Mrs. Longbottom is down the hall, third room on the left. Two visitors at a time, though. Her husband is already with her.”

“Does she have a waiting room?” Harry asked. “There will be others showing up.”

The nurse nodded. “Just outside her delivery room.”

“Thank you,” Harry grabbed Hermione’s hand and practically flew down the corridor.

“You go on ahead,” she told him as they reached the room. “I’ll wait out here. Tell her I’m thinking about her, okay?”

“Okay,” Harry gave her a quick kiss and knocked softly on the door.

“Come in,” came Neville’s voice. When Harry walked in a few seconds later, he smiled warmly at his friend. “About time you got here,” Neville teased. “Cho wanted to go ahead and have the baby, but I told her to wait until you got here.”

“Funny Neville,” Cho retorted. “I don’t see you on the bed here waiting to squeeze something the size of a watermelon out of an opening the size of a lemon.”

Neville winced. “When you put it that way...”

“Yeah,” Cho shook her head. “By the way Harry, congratulations. You got the media off your back,” she forced a smile onto her face as her contractions started again.

“None of that matters now,” he said, going to the other side of her bed and taking her hand. “I was going to ask how you were feeling, but I guess that’s a stupid question.”

“Yeah, once these start...” Cho groaned. “I’m still waiting for the mediwizard to come with a nice charm to take the pain away.”

“I can go check on that,” Neville said. “He bloody left the room thirty minutes ago and said he’d be right back.”

Neville looked at Harry. “Do you mind staying with her until I get back?”

“Of course not. Send Hermione in so she can see Cho,” Harry said.

“Sure,” Neville said, walking out of the room. Hermione walked in a few seconds later.

“Hey,” she said softly.

Cho sank back against the pillows in relief as Harry painfully shook his hand out. “Hi,” the black haired woman said.

“Merlin, Cho!” Harry said. “That’s one powerful death grip you have there.”

“You’re such a baby,” Cho replied.

Hermione giggled. “Neville was beaming from ear to ear when he walked out. He wanted to send Seamus an owl and ask him to film the birth.”

Cho gasped. “You tell him to take that back! There’s no bloody way I’m allowing that to happen!”

“Don’t worry,” Hermione said. “You didn’t see Seamus’ face when Neville suggested it last week. He turned green. I think you’re out of the woods on that one.”

“He’d better not do that,” Cho replied. “I hope this doesn’t last all night...”

“Do you know I read somewhere that labour can last anywhere from 2 to 12 hours,” Hermione said sagely. “Usually, first-time mums go about 12 hours, though.”

When she saw Cho’s horrified expression, she quickly covered. “I mean, that’s just what I read...I probably got it wrong.”

“I heard it can last for days,” Harry hadn’t been looking at either woman.

“Ask yourself if you’re helping?” Cho asked, narrowing her eyes at her friend.

“Sorry,” Harry said sheepishly.

Neville came back into the room followed by a short, stout man who was obviously the mediwizard.

“I guess I’d better go back outside,” Hermione said, squeezing Cho’s hand again.

“You call if you need anything,” Harry kissed her forehead. “I’m sure everyone else will be here soon.”

Neville watched his two friends leave the room and he smiled reassuringly at his wife. “Before you ask, I thought better of getting Seamus to film the birth.”

Cho glared at him. “He steps one foot in this room with a camera and you’re going to be eating out of a dog dish for a week.”

“Point taken,” Neville said, gulping.

Back in the waiting room, Harry and Hermione sat down on one of the sofas. “You know,” Hermione mused while looking around. “How is it that Cho and Neville are able to afford a private room here? I should think with their apartment and all the baby necessities they’ve been buying lately that they wouldn’t be able to splurge on something like this.”

“They can’t afford it,” Harry answered. “But I can…”

Hermione stared at him in surprise. “You bought Cho a private room?”

Harry shrugged. “With all the recent media attention, I told her last week that I wanted to do this. She didn’t put up much of a fight about it so—“ he was cut off as Hermione leaned forward and kissed him gently. “What was that for?”

“Just for being so sweet,” Hermione let her thumb brush over his cheek. Harry smiled at her and leaned in again, kissing her warmly until Lavender’s voice made them pull apart.

“Don’t you two ever give it a rest?” Lavender asked, rolling her eyes.

“No,” Harry replied.

“Didn’t think so,” Lavender said, sitting down on the other sofa directly opposite her cousin and Harry. “Seamus should be here soon. He was on set--filming.”

“Can you believe Cho’s finally in labour?” Hermione asked excitedly. “You can go in and see her if you want to. They allow two visitors at a time, but Neville’s in there.”

Lavender’s smile faded. She was notoriously squeamish. “I’ll just sit out here for now,” she said with a weak smile.

“She’s not bleeding yet or anything,” Harry teased.

“If it’s all the same to you, I’ll just wait out here for now, okay?” she said, picking up a magazine and beginning to thumb through it. “These cloaks are so last season.” She flipped over the magazine to look at the cover. Okay...this is from 1990. How often do they update these things?”

Hermione laughed as she curled up next to Harry. “I don’t know... maybe you should replenish them,” she said to her cousin as Harry slid his arm around her. “It’s chilly in here.”

“Oh Hermione,” Lavender said, looking up from her magazine. “Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore wanted me to tell you they liked the article, but they wished you wouldn’t have worn such a revealing dress. They would have told you so themselves, but some people left their phone off the hook...”

Harry snorted. “We didn’t leave it off the hook. It must have fallen off when we…OW!” he glared at blonde. “Why’d you throw that at me Lavender?”

“Because I didn’t want to hear the details of your very active sex life,” Lavender said. “It’s a little too much information for me to process. Can I have my magazine back please?” she asked sweetly.

“I thought it was out of date,” Harry teased her.

“Well, it is, but I haven’t read this particular issue before and it’s between that and a Witch Weekly from 1985,” Lavender said. “Hermione...can you make him behave, please?”

Hermione laughed as Harry tossed the magazine back to her cousin. “You should know by now Harry Potter doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to do,” she joked.

Lavender was about to reply when she saw Ron and Luna coming down the corridor, their arms laden with baskets. “What is all that?” Lavender asked.

“My mum wouldn’t let me leave the house without bringing food for everyone,” Ron said, setting one of the baskets down on the table.

“You mean that you wouldn’t leave the house without enough provisions to last you through the night, right Ron?” Harry asked, cheekily.

“Hey I brought something for everyone,” Ron said defensively.

“That he did,” Luna set her basket down. “Harry, Hermione... thank you both so much for the weekend in Brighton! That was very generous of you,” she hugged Hermione, who had gotten up when they arrived in the room.

“You deserve that and more,” Hermione said. “It’s the least Harry and I could do for you after that article...you are such a great writer!”

Luna blushed. “Did Ron tell you that an American paper picked it up as well?”

“Luna!” Hermione squealed. “That’s fantastic!”

“Don’t forget us little people when you make it big, Miss Lovegood,” Harry teased, standing up and pecking her on the cheek.

“How could anyone forget you Harry,” she teased. “After all you’re pretty famous yourself.”

“Don’t get him started,” Ron said. “His ego hardly needs any stroking.”

“Ha, ha.” Harry shook his head at Ron. “By the way, if you want to go in and see Cho go ahead, but since Neville’s in there we can only go in one at a time.”

Luna looked at her boyfriend. “Would you mind if I went in first?”

“Go ahead,” Ron replied.

After Luna had disappeared inside the room, everyone sat back down. “That’s really great about Luna, Ron. You must be very proud of her!” Hermione said conversationally to him.

“I am,” Ron replied. “She was so excited about this break- and when she got the news about the American paper I thought she was going to float out of the room.” He laughed.

“So are you two looking forward to some privacy?” Lavender asked, helping herself to one of the muffins from the basket. “If you need someone to watch Paddington, I’d love to do it. He’s adorable!”

Ron grunted. “He’s adorable all right. He’s adorable all the way outside where we’re trying to train him to pee instead of my jumpers!”

Harry, Hermione and Lavender tried not to laugh, but failed miserably.

“At least you haven’t stepped in dog poo,” Lavender pointed out, but when Ron glared at her, she knew he obviously had that pleasure already. “Ewww,” was all she could say.

“Yeah, ewww...” Ron muttered. “The little bugger is cute though. When he does something bad he lays his ears back and looks at us with those big eyes of his...” he shook his head as everyone laughed again.

“So you’ve basically got a love-hate relationship with your girlfriend’s dog?” Harry asked his friend.

“Pretty much,” Ron replied. “Soon as he’s trained up he’ll be fine.”

“You know I’ve always wanted a dog,” Hermione said wistfully. “But with our schedules I don’t know how we’d be able to take care of it.”

Harry looked at her. “I didn’t know you wanted a dog. I’d have gotten you one if I had.”

“I know,” Hermione said, resting her head on his shoulder. “But we wouldn’t be able to give it the time and attention it’d need right now.”

“Don’t even get her started on that cat she used to have,” Lavender said, shaking her head. “I think that cat was possessed.”

Harry and Ron laughed. “Why? What was wrong with it?” Ron asked.

“It was just...evil,” Lavender recalled. “I remember one night being quietly asleep, lying on my back when that evil cat jumped on my chest. I think they heard me screaming in Russia.”

“Crookshanks was NOT evil,” Hermione replied. “He was a bit eccentric but I loved him.”

As Hermione’s head was still resting on Harry’s shoulder and she had closed her eyes for a moment, she couldn’t see Lavender mouth the word “evil” to Harry and Ron.

Harry squeezed her hand. “Well maybe once we both finish school we could get another dog or cat.”

“I’d love that,” Hermione said happily, closing her eyes. She was more knackered than she thought.

“You going to sleep sweetheart?” Harry asked. He looked wickedly at Ron and Lavender. “We did have quite a busy night.”

Ron and Lavender exchanged disgusted looks. Hermione cuddled closer to Harry. “I’m just going to rest my eyes,” she said just before yawning.

“Are there any blankets in here?” Harry asked Ron.

“I’ll go check at the front desk,” Ron said, quickly getting to his feet and heading down the corridor.

“Thanks,” Harry replied. He looked over at Lavender. “How late was Seamus filming? It’s already half past one.”

“He had some complications with a couple of his actors,” Lavender said quietly, trying not to disturb her already fast asleep cousin. “He promised to be here as soon as he could.”

Harry shook his head. “Poor bloke can’t catch a break can he?”

“He’s too much of a perfectionist,” Lavender said, stretching out on the sofa. “He wants everything to be just right and it doesn’t always go that way.”

“Isn’t that the truth,” Harry said as Ron came back in the room holding a few thick fleecy blankets. “Thanks,” he took one and spread it over Hermione, who had shifted down so her head was in Harry’s lap. “She was up early this morning to study for her exam... “

“I can’t believe she still took it after the night the two of you had,” Lavender said. “Luna said you didn’t finish up until nearly three in the morning.”

“And she got up at six,” Harry shook his head.

“No wonder she’s asleep,” Ron commented.

Harry smiled down at the beauty lying in his lap. “She also got a perfect score,” he said softly yet proudly.

Lavender looked up from her magazine and watched Harry softly running his fingers through Hermione’s hair. If she’d had any doubts about his intentions toward Hermione, they were all swept away watching him tonight with her. He looked up and caught Lavender’s eye and a sort of unspoken understanding passed between them.

Luna finally came out of the room. “Poor Cho,” she said. “They cast a charm on her to keep out the pain but her body is really starting to prepare itself for the birth. She and Neville are both on pins and needles waiting for it to actually happen.”

Ron stood up. “I guess its time for the comic relief then....unless someone else wanted to go in?”

“No, I’ll wait for Seamus,” Lavender replied. “Go on ahead.”

“Yeah, Hermione and I already went in, and it’s not like I can move right now anyway,” Harry replied.

Ron kissed Luna on the cheek before walking into Cho’s room. Neville was sitting beside the bed and smiled warmly at Ron.

“Merlin’s beard, Cho!” Ron said with mock disbelief. “I thought you would have already popped the little rug rat out by now!”

“So funny Ronald,” Cho replied sarcastically but she smiled as Ron gave her a big grin.

“Everyone’s outside waiting,” Ron said, taking the empty seat on the other side of her bed. “Well, except for Seamus...”

“He’s still filming?” Neville asked.

“Yeah, Lav said he’d be here when he could,” Ron said. “Hey, maybe he could bring his camera? Dad says Muggles love filming childbirth...okay, why are you looking at me like that?”

“I am NOT a Muggle and I would NOT enjoy having a bloody camera shoved at me while pushing a child out of my—“ Cho stopped her rant. “NO!”

Neville stood up. “What? Sweetheart? What is it?”

“Why does everyone keep bringing up this filming nonsense?!” Cho snapped.

Neville sat back down on his chair, relieved. He’d thought something was really wrong.

“I didn’t know it was such an issue,” Ron said apologetically. “I’m sorry, Cho.”

“It’s okay,” Cho relaxed. “It’s just that every single person has brought it up now, except for Luna.”

“Now that I think about it, you probably wouldn’t want to have that filmed, Neville,” Ron said. “Bill said when his wife was in labour, she called him every name in the book and threatened to hex him into the next century if he even thought about coming near her again.”

Cho looked at Ron for a moment before bursting into laughter. “But... Neville and I haven’t even...” she began to giggle even harder.

Neville grinned at Ron. Things had been getting quite intense between he and Cho earlier and they’d needed a light-hearted moment, which Ron had provided in spades.

“You never know, it may turn you off from ever wanting to again,” Ron pointed out.

“Don’t say that!” Neville said.

This time it was Ron who chortled right alongside Cho.

Cho shook her head. “Don’t worry Neville...”

“Can the two of you plan your sexual escapades when I’m not in the room, please?” Ron asked. “It’s bad enough with the rabbits...”

“What? Are they going at it out there?” Cho asked, rolling her eyes. “They have a thing about christening rooms...”

“No,” Ron said shuddering at the thought. “They’re actually on their best behaviour. When I came in here, Hermione had just fallen asleep.”

Cho and Neville both laughed. “Poor Hermione, she’s had quite the long day hasn’t she?” she reached for her husband’s hand as she felt the familiar tightening in her stomach.

“Contractions aren’t coming very far apart,” Neville said as Cho exhaled.

“Is that a good thing?” Ron asked.

“It means she’s getting close to delivery,” Neville explained.

Ron’s eyes widened. “That is good news,” he smiled. “I’ll leave you guys to it... we’re all right outside if you need anything.”

“Wait...” Cho breathed out heavily.

“What?” he asked, turning around.

“We’ve already talked to Harry about this...” Cho patted the spot on the bed next to her. “But we’ve got something important we want to ask you.”

“Okay,” Ron said slowly, gingerly sitting down on the bed.

“Well...” Cho looked at Neville, who moved to sit on her other side. “We were hoping you would agree to be the baby’s godfather. You and Harry would both be godfathers instead of the baby having a godmother...”

“Two godfathers?” Ron asked quizzically. “Can you do that?”

“Why not?” Neville chimed in.

“Are you sure?” Ron asked in disbelief. “Me? Someone’s godfather?”

“You’ve been one of our best friends for years,” Cho pointed out.

“I, um...wow....” Ron said nearly speechless. “That’s....wow...godfather...me...”

Cho began to laugh again. “Is that a yes?”

Ron nodded. “That’s a yes. I’m really honoured that you’d want me to do this.” He regained his composure. “And I promise not to corrupt the kid...too much.”

“You forget---Harry’s the other godfather,” Cho said dryly. “I’m sure all the spoiling will start with him.”

“True,” Ron said with a laugh. “Well, I better get going.” He kissed Cho on the cheek and gave Neville a hug before quietly walking out of the room.

Seamus had arrived during the time he was in the delivery room. “They’ve asked me to be godfather,” Ron announced, unable to keep the smile off his face.

“Congratulations,” Seamus said, his voice barely above a whisper. He and Harry were near mirror images of each other as both men had their girlfriends fast asleep on their laps. Luna was resting in a chair.

“Jeez, I’m gone for fifteen minutes and all the girls are asleep.” Ron replied.

“Doesn’t really say much for us being stimulating company, does it?” Harry said, shifting as best he could on the sofa as not to wake Hermione.

Ron snickered as he sat in the chair. “They couldn’t make three sofas could they?”

“If I’d remembered to bring my wand, I’d transfigure the chair into a sofa,” Seamus said apologetically.

Harry continued to stroke Hermione’s hair, the strands sliding through his fingers like silk. Part of him wished it was he and Hermione there in the delivery room waiting for the birth of their child, even though he knew they were nowhere near that step in their relationship.

“This is really something, isn’t it?” Ron asked his two friends. “Cho’s going to be a mum and Neville Longbottom is going to be a dad. Who would have ever predicted this?’

“Not me,” Harry smiled. “It’s just really amazing the changes that have happened since holiday was over.”

“Too right,” Seamus said, motioning toward Hermione. “I never would have figured you’d be settled down either, at least not this soon.”

Harry chuckled. “I didn’t count on meeting her.”

“I certainly didn’t count on falling in love with Loony here,” Ron whispered.

“And I’ve got my girl as well,” Seamus let his arm drape over Lavender’s still form.

Ron grinned. “Life doesn’t always go as we planned it, I guess.”

******

*****

It was nearly six o’clock in the morning when Neville burst out of his wife’s room and saw that every single one of friends was fast asleep. He was exhausted as well, but so unbelievably happy and relieved that he didn’t think he’d be sleeping for quite some time.

He walked over to the sofa and shook Harry awake. “Harry...” Neville said quietly, nudging him.

“I swear professor… it was Ron, not me!” Harry said, then shook his head and rubbed at his eyes. “Neville?”

“Sorry to wake you,” he said, handing Harry his glasses, which were on the armrest of the sofa. “But I thought you might want to meet my little girl.”

25. Chapter 25

Author’s note: Thank you so much for the reviews, everyone! We appreciate each and every one. In this chapter, you will get to meet Cho & Neville’s baby girl and you also will see the reappearance of everyone’s favourite psychopath.

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

Harry stared at him a moment. “You have a daughter?” he grinned.

Neville nodded happily. “Mother and daughter are fine. Well, tired, but fine.”

Harry lightly shook Hermione. “Wake up love...” he said.

“What is it?” Hermione said groggily.

“Cho had the baby!” Harry said. “Wake up everyone!” he called in a louder voice.

“What?” Hermione asked, struggling to get to her feet. “She did? What did she have?”

Harry grinned at Neville, not wanting to take this moment away from him.

“We had a little girl,” Neville said proudly. “And she’s the spitting image of Cho. And has quite the set of lungs on her... came into this world, screaming her head off.”

Harry laughed. “That sounds about right,” he teased. “When can we go see her?”

“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” Neville answered. “They’re cleaning her up right now.”

Hermione squealed. “Cho must be so happy to finally be a mum and not just pregnant anymore!”

“Aye,” Neville said, receiving hearty slaps on the back from Seamus and Ron. “She’s exhausted though.”

“I’ll bet,” Hermione replied sympathetically. “I’m going to use the loo and hopefully by the time I get back we can go in,”

“I’ll come with,” Lavender said somewhat dazedly, following her cousin.

“Me too,” Luna rubbed her eyes.

“Yeah,” Ron said, stretching. “I should probably go, too.”

“What is this? A group effort?” Harry asked. “I’m fine.”

“Good to hear,” Seamus said, stumbling to his feet and heading off after his friends.

“I’m actually glad they gave us a moment,” Neville said to his friend. “I wanted to thank you for giving us the private room. It meant so much to both of us, Harry.”

“I’m glad to do it,” Harry replied. “Cho means a lot to me... not that you don’t,” he grinned.

Neville grinned back and was going to say something else when they heard the door to Cho’s room open. “Mr. Longbottom?” the mediwizard said. “Your wife was asking for you. And your friends are welcome to come in now, but keep it two at a time, please.”

“Okay,” Neville nodded back.

The mediwizard patted Neville on the back and walked down the hall. “Ready to meet your goddaughter?” Neville asked his friend.

“More than anything,” Harry replied. “You go on and make sure Cho’s ready for us.” He laughed.

Neville grinned. “I’ll be right back.”

Harry sat back down on the sofa as Hermione came back into the waiting room.

“The others went downstairs to get breakfast,” she explained. “They didn’t want to overwhelm Cho or the baby.”

“We can go in and see her,” Harry replied.

“Really?” Hermione asked happily.

“Soon as Neville tells us Cho is ready,” Harry replied, leaning in for a quick kiss.

She smiled. “Do you know what I was thinking last night? I know you’ll probably think it’s completely daft.”

“What’s that?” Harry asked her.

She blushed. “For a fleeting moment there, I pictured you and me in their place....waiting for our child to be born. Crazy, huh?”

Harry touched his forehead to hers. “Not crazy at all... I thought the same thing actually.”

“Really?” she asked pleasantly surprised.

“Really,” Harry replied. “I mean, I skipped over the part where you’d probably scream out that you never want to have sex with me again but…” Hermione thumped him on the shoulder but she was laughing.

“I don’t think I could ever say that and mean it,” she kissed him again, letting her lips linger a bit longer on his.

“But really…” Harry pushed her bangs out of her eyes. “I eventually do think we will find ourselves in this same place.”

“Someday,” Hermione whispered.

“Hey you guys, come on in,” Neville said.

Hermione pulled away from Harry and the two of them quietly walked into Cho’s room.

Cho was sitting up in bed. Her long hair had been pulled back into a ponytail and she looked tired, but very happy.

“Cho!” Hermione squealed.

“You ready to go dancing yet?” Harry asked teasingly to Cho.

“Take me, Potter,” Cho said dramatically.

A soft cooing sound interrupted them and Hermione stepped closer to get a better look at the sleeping baby in Cho’s arms.

“Oh look at her!” Hermione’s breath got caught in her throat. “Cho! She’s GORGEOUS!”

Cho nodded happily. “I thought so, too, but I’m completely biased.”

“What did you name her?” Harry stepped up to look at his goddaughter.

“I suppose we should decide on a name,” Neville said with a wink at his wife. “Baby Girl Longbottom isn’t that original, is it?”

“I had an idea,” Cho said. “I hope you like it Neville...”

“I’m sure I will,” Neville said, smiling at her.

“Chiaki...” Cho said softly. “I’ve always loved that name for a girl.”

Neville looked thoughtfully at his daughter. “Chiaki...I love it.”

“Gorgeous name for a gorgeous baby,” Harry said softly. “Chiaki Longbottom…”

“Can I hold her?” Hermione asked.

“Sure,” Cho carefully passed her newborn pride and joy to Hermione. Hermione gingerly took the baby in her arms, properly cradling the head.

Harry couldn’t help his smile as he looked over Hermione’s shoulder. “I can’t believe how small she is,” he said.

“Small?” Cho snorted. “I tell you, being the one who pushed her out, she is most definitely not small.”

“Well small compared to us,” Harry replied. He traced a finger softly over Chiaki’s pink skin and through the dark patch of hair on her head. “I cannot wait to spoil the hell out of this baby,” he grinned.

Hermione laughed. “You’ve got your work cut out for you, making Harry a godfather.” She placed a kiss on Chiaki’s forehead and passed the baby to her boyfriend.

Harry took her and peeled back the blanket covering her body. “What are you doing?” Cho asked curiously.

“Just making sure she has dancing feet,” Harry said mischievously.

Cho laughed tiredly. “Have you already got her profession mapped out for her?”

“Maybe,” Harry replied as he kissed the baby and passed her back to Cho. “We’ll do our best to get her interested and let her take it from there.” He smiled. “And I, for one, am glad she looks like you and not Malfoy.”

Neville snorted. “Aye, good point Harry.”

“You’d love her even if she did,” Hermione pointed out, scowling at her boyfriend.

“Of course we would,” Cho replied. “Hermione don’t get too angry at Harry. You know as well as I do he doesn’t control what comes out of his mouth. That’s why he and Ron are such good friends.”

“Very funny,” Harry said sarcastically as Hermione and Neville laughed. “Let’s just go ahead and insult both of the baby’s godfathers, why don’t you?”

Cho smiled tiredly at him. “I will when I’m more energized.”

“We should probably go and let you get some rest,” Hermione said apologetically. “You must be exhausted.”

Neville scooped up his daughter. “Where did everyone else go?” he asked.

“The story is they didn’t want to overwhelm you,” Hermione said. “But the truth is Seamus and Ron were starving and they’d already eaten all the food Ron brought last night so they went down to the cafeteria for breakfast.”

Cho laughed. “Always letting their stomachs guide them,” she smiled. “Well... Neville... feel free to show Chiaki off. I’m so tired....” she yawned enormously.

“We’ll come by and see you later, Cho,” Hermione promised, squeezing her friend’s hand. “Get some rest.”

“Okay,” Cho smiled sleepily.

Harry bent down over Cho and placed a kiss on her forehead and quietly followed Hermione and Neville out of the room.

“She really is gorgeous Neville,” Hermione said, stroking Chiaki’s soft hair. “I just can’t believe the baby is finally here!”

“Me, either,” Neville admitted. “You know I have a confession to make...when she was born, I wondered if I’d feel differently since biologically, she’s not really mine. But, the moment the mediwizard placed her in my arms, I just felt it...she’s my daughter....she will be my daughter in every way that counts.”

Hermione nearly melted. “That’s so sweet...” she said, tears stinging her eyes.

Neville’s cheeks reddened. “Don’t go telling everyone at training that I got all mushy, okay Harry?”

“Of course not,” Harry grinned. “Who couldn’t get all mushy while looking at this face?” he asked, his green eyes soft as he looked at his best friends’ child.

“OH! OH! OH!” a familiar voice said from behind them. Lavender and Luna were walking down the corridor and when they saw Neville holding the baby, they nearly ran to get to him.

“Neville!” Lavender said, pushing past Harry and looking at the baby. “She’s beautiful!”

Luna gasped. “Look at her Neville!! I’ve never seen such a gorgeous baby in my life!”

Harry looked at Hermione who smiled. “Shall we get going and let the new parents have their fun?” he whispered.

Hermione nodded. “I’ll even buy you breakfast,” she said, linking her arm in his.

“Sounds like a good deal to me,” Harry replied as they called a good bye to their friends. “Do I get to choose where we eat?”

“Sure,” she said, shrugging. “Where do you want to go?”

“Somewhere Muggle, preferably,” Harry replied. “I have a feeling if we go anywhere in the Wizarding World right now we’ll get mobbed.” He slid his arms around her. “And after that I want to go home and sleep in our bed and not a sofa.”

“That sounds fantastic,” she replied. She saw him rub the back of his neck. “Oh, Harry! I’m sorry...I just realized that you slept sitting up with me on your lap. That must have been quite uncomfortable for you.”

“It’s all right,” Harry replied. “You were comfortable and I didn’t want to wake you up...”

“Have I told you today how great you are?” she asked, stopping and kissing him on the cheek.

“No,” Harry replied, his tone amused.

“Well, you are,” she said, smiling at him. “Absolutely wonderful.”

Harry let her kiss him briefly before he tucked her hand into his. “I hate January,” he said as they walked. “Coldest damn month of the year.”

“Just think warm thoughts,” she said as she pulled her own cloak tighter around her with her free hand. “Think about that warm cup of coffee and that obscenely large breakfast that you and I are about to have.”

“Right,” Harry said. “Well if I’m still freezing afterwards you can always warm me up in the shower. Before you head to class that is,” he added.

Hermione groaned. “I forgot about that.”

Harry shook his head. “You’ve not gone for two days and you forgot about your classes for a third day? Me and my bloody big mouth.”

“And here I was hoping you’d talk me out of going again,” Hermione said only half-joking. She was still quite tired and for the first time in her life, she didn’t think she could sit in a classroom all day when all she wanted to do was sleep.

“Don’t tempt me Hermione,” Harry warned her as they neared the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione transfigured their cloaks into coats and they stepped out as Muggles.

“Maybe I could skive off one more day,” Hermione said yawning. “No, I should probably go. But, I really don’t want to, but I should really go. Merlin, I’m not making any sense, am I?”

“Not really,” Harry laughed. “You really should go, even though part of me wants nothing more than to just take you home to bed.”

“You’re right,” she said. “I should go. But, I am so going to take a long kip when they’re over.”

Harry slid his arm around her waist. “I’ll try and wait up for you then so we can sleep together.”

“That’s sweet,” she said beaming at him. “But you don’t have to do that. I know you’re tired, too.”

“Yes but then I’m not up and around while you’re kipping,” Harry replied as they came across a foggy windowed diner. “This looks good.”

“Something smells delicious,” Hermione said as Harry opened the door for her. “I’m starving.”

“Same here,” Harry replied. “At least we don’t have to share this with Ron.”

Hermione giggled. “That’s true.”

Gordon Devereaux was still in a terrible mood. He’d tried ringing Hermione last night, but the phone was otherwise engaged and he’d even gone so far as to stop by her house to see if she’d fancy walking to class with him or catching a quick bite to eat. She wasn’t home. Either that, or she hadn’t heard the doorbell.

He walked quickly down the street. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of a diner. Thinking he’d stop in to get a cup of coffee, he quickened his pace.

His hand froze on the door handle. Through the glass door, he could see a couple at the counter, sharing a menu. He would know that face anywhere. He felt a fresh surge of anger as he watched Potter lean in and kiss Hermione on the cheek.

For far too long, Gordon figured he’d been too passive when it came to Hermione. It was time to take action. He wouldn’t act quickly, of course. He’d bide his time and when the time was right, she’d be his.

Potter whispered something in Hermione’s ear and her head rolled back in laughter.

Enjoy it while you can, Potter.

With one last look, Gordon walked away from the diner. Suddenly, he wasn’t so hungry anymore.

*** *** ***

Lavender yawned. “I’m really not sleepy but I just feel tired,” she said, climbing the steps to her aunt and uncle’s house. “Your lap was quite comfortable last night,” she teased her boyfriend.

“Glad you were comfortable,” Seamus joked back. “Because I think I lost all feeling in my legs for awhile there.”

Lavender swatted his shoulder as she dug her keys out of her bag. “You want to stick around for awhile? I’m sure Uncle Robert has made something good for breakfast. He usually does on his days off.”

“I imagine I could fit some more in here,” he said, patting his stomach. Lavender finally found her keys and opened the door.

“...and I think you’re wrong!” Elinore was saying firmly as Lavender and Seamus stepped inside.

“What’s going on?” Seamus whispered in Lavender’s ear, but she shushed him.

“Of course you would,” Robert retorted. “You’re as blinded by that boy as Hermione is. Elinore, you and I both read those articles and saw those pictures...it doesn’t look good.”

“And we both read the article Luna wrote about it, the TRUTHFUL one.” Elinore replied. “And I find it interesting that you’re so willing to just forget about how much he’s actually grown on you in favour of some fabrications!”

Lavender ignored Seamus’s meaningful glance as she pressed forward silently.

“Yes, but how much do we really know about him?” Robert asked, trying to reason with his wife. “He goes to this club with an ex-girlfriend and he’s going to try and pretend that he didn’t have any idea what she really wanted?”

“I believe him when he says he doesn’t,” Elinore replied sharply. “Harry has been nothing but good for our daughter. And she obviously believes him to have been such a big part in this article!”

“I just don’t want to see her get hurt, Elinore,” Robert said, the tone of his voice much softer. “This is the first real boyfriend she’s ever had and I just...”

“And she’s in love with him,” Elinore replied. “And he loves her just as much.”

“I know,” Robert said, shaking his head. “Logically, I know she’s grown up, but part of me keeps seeing her as my little girl. She’s changed so much since the summer, Elinore.”

“She’s an adult now Robert,” Elinore replied. “It’s hard for me to face that as well.”

“Okay,” he said. “I’ll take Harry at his word, but if something like this happens again, I won’t be silent, Elinore. If he hurts her...”

“He’s not going to hurt her.” Elinore said. “Robert... Hermione and Harry will work through any problems they have, by themselves,” she stressed the last two words. “We are not going become a part of this situation.”

Seamus tapped Lavender on the shoulder. “We really shouldn’t be listening to this,” he whispered in her ear.

“Right,” she whispered. They backtracked and Lavender reopened and closed the door. “Hello?” she called out as if they had just walked in.

The two of them heard muffled voices and then Elinore called out, “We’re in the kitchen, sweetheart.”

“Guess what,” Lavender swept into the kitchen, Seamus’s hand in hers. “Cho had a baby girl this morning!”

“That’s wonderful,” Elinore said excitedly.

“And they’re both doing okay?” Robert asked his niece.

“Cho and Chiaki are both fine,” Lavender grinned. “You should see how gorgeous she is!”

“Maybe I’ll ask Hermione to bring me by to see them,” Robert said, grinning. He had a soft spot for the raven-haired girl he’d helped over the summer. The girl had obviously taken a few hard knocks in life and he was glad to hear that her life was turning around for the better.

“Hello, Seamus,” Robert said warmly. “Do you fancy a cup of coffee? I just put on a fresh pot.”

“That sounds fantastic,” Seamus said. “Thank you so much Dr. Granger.”

“Did all of you stay at the hospital all night?” Robert asked, noticing for the first time how tired and pale his niece and her boyfriend looked.

“I got there around half past one- Neville sent owls to all of us,” Lavender replied. “Seamus didn’t get there until two.”

“Had a bit of a tussle on set last night,” Seamus thanked his girlfriend’s uncle as he sent a steaming cup of coffee his way.

“Nothing too bad I hope,” Robert said.

“Nothing that didn’t get ironed out,” Seamus replied. “I just seem to have the worst people to work with is all.”

Lavender grinned. “He just demands perfection and not everyone can live up to that.”

Elinore laughed. “I know another person who thinks that way,” she chuffed her husband lightly.

Lavender smiled and as she and Seamus helped themselves to the tray of muffins before them, she wondered if she should say something to help her uncle see how much Harry cared for Hermione.

“So Harry and Hermione told me to send you their regards,” Lavender said out of the blue. This wasn’t exactly true as they’d said nothing of the sort to her, but Lavender knew if they’d thought about it, they’d have told her to say it.

“They were there with you all night?” Elinore nodded. “I know how close Harry is with Cho...”

“Yeah,” Lavender said. “Cho and Neville asked Harry to be one of the godfathers.”

When she saw the confused look on her aunt and uncle’s faces, she explained Cho naming Ron as godfather as well.

“Harry’s already talking about spoiling Chiaki,” Lavender continued.

Seamus smiled. “That baby is going to be spoiled rotten,” he laughed. “Harry’s known for being overly generous with the people he loves. You saw everything he got Hermione for Christmas...” he chuckled.

“They were absolutely adorable last night at the hospital,” Lavender said, a dreamy expression coming over her face. “She was asleep on his lap and I know it couldn’t have been comfortable for him, but he just sat there and ran his fingers through her hair... “

“Lavender?” Robert asked his niece. “Is there a reason why you’re singing Harry’s praises? I feel as if the next thing you’re going to tell me is that he helps the homeless and in his spare time knits blankets or something.”

Lavender shrugged. “Well... we’re all on a bit of a high from Luna’s article. It’s really cleared up a lot of false information that the Daily Prophet spread around about him.”

“Aye, and the article was even picked up by an American paper,” Seamus said. “I’ve known Harry since we were kids and he’s nothing like how the Daily Prophet tried to paint him.”

“That’s good to hear,” Elinore sat down. “I figured a lot of that was rubbish.”

“Well, if you read Luna’s article you read the truth,” Lavender said resolutely. She noticed her uncle hadn’t said anything in response to this. “And I’ve never seen Hermione so happy. It’s almost sickening how sweet the two of them are together.”

“Point taken,” Robert replied.

“Well, I hate to cut this short,” Seamus said, pushing back from his chair. “But I should really check back in on the set. Hopefully, it’s still standing.”

“Do you have to leave so soon?” Lavender frowned.

“Unfortunately I do,” Seamus said. “But if you have some free time tonight, I’d love to take you out for a bite to eat.”

“Definitely,” Lavender got up to walk him to the front door. “I hope everything goes well on set today.”

“You and me both,” Seamus said with a laugh. He turned his attention to Robert and Elinore. “Thanks again for the breakfast.”

“You’re very welcome,” Robert smiled. “Make sure and stop by more often Seamus!”

“Thank you sir,” Seamus said, shaking his hand. As Lavender led him to the front door, he took her hand. “Good to see you defending Harry,” he said softly.

“Yeah well...” Lavender shrugged. “You were right and I was being silly...” she smiled at him.

“Could you repeat that first part again?” he asked cheekily. “That part about me being right? I like the sound of that.”

“Don’t push it Finnigan,” Lavender replied. “It won’t happen often,” she teased.

“You’re probably right,” he said, cupping her face in his hands. “Get some rest, okay?”

“I will,” Lavender leaned in and kissed him. “You compromise a bit on set and you’ll be able to go home and get some rest too,” she stroked his nape with her fingers.

“This thing called compromise,” he said thoughtfully. “What is that?”

“When you agree to disagree,” Lavender giggled.

“Wouldn’t it just be simpler if everyone just went along with what I said without question?” he asked.

Lavender shook her head. “Seamus Finnigan...” she began

Her words were cut off by Seamus pressing his lips to hers. When he pulled away from her, he grinned. “You were saying, Ms. Brown?”

“Compromise,” she gave him a stern look. “I expect to see you off set by seven.”

“Yes ma’am,” he said, opening the door. “Don’t you be late, either.”

“Yes sir,” Lavender replied. “I love you,”

“I love you, too,” he said. “So much so that I’m even considering compromise. Look what you’ve turned me into, woman!”

Lavender giggled. “Go on you, I’ll see you later.”

*** *** ***

Hermione was still tired as she slugged her way into class. Her hair was once again in a sloppy ponytail, her robes thrown haphazardly on over the ivory jumper Harry had given her for Christmas and a pair of jeans. She was hoping against a miracle that her professors would be good enough to cut lectures or let them go early but that probably wouldn’t happen.

As she entered Transfiguration, she saw Gordon already hunched over his desk, writing busily on a piece of parchment. “Morning,” Hermione said.

Gordon didn’t acknowledge her arrival and just kept writing. If she thought she was just going to come in here and act like everything was normal, she had another thing coming.

“Morning,” Hermione said again. “Gordon?” When he still didn’t respond, Hermione tapped his shoulder. “Hello...” she was confused at his lack of reaction. “Were you hexed or something?”

“I’m trying to work,” he said icily. “If you don’t mind...”

Hermione’s eyebrows knit together. “What’s going on?” she asked.

“Have a nice few days off, did you?” he asked sarcastically, never looking up from his parchment.

Hermione sat down. “Gordon, I had some things in my life I had to work out, and then last night Cho had her baby.” She set her bag in front of her and began to pull out her books.

“And did you...work those things out?” Gordon asked, trying to stay angry with her, but she was making it difficult.

“Yes,” Hermione looked at him. “You saw The Quibbler right? I had to do something to get those bloody vultures at the Daily Prophet off Harry’s and my backs and I did.”

“I saw,” Gordon said, still not looking at her. “That why you were late for the exam?”

“I wasn’t late,” Hermione replied. “And why are you so angry about it?”

“Because you’re going down the wrong path, Hermione,” Gordon said finally looking properly at her. “You’ve done so well. Don’t mess everything up now.”

Hermione looked at him, the confusion apparent on her face. “What on earth are you talking about? Wrong path?” she shook her head.

Gordon exhaled. “I know you think I’m overreacting Hermione and maybe I am, but I just don’t want you to fall behind, that’s all.”

“I’m not going to fall behind,” Hermione replied. “I appreciate your concern Gordon but I wouldn’t let that happen. Everyone misses a day now and then.”

“You’re right,” he smiled. Maybe he could use her absences to his advantage. “If you’re free tomorrow morning before class, I can meet you in the library to go over my notes.”

“That would be fantastic,” Hermione leaned over and surprised him with a hug. “You’re the absolute best Gordon.”

Gordon couldn’t describe how good it felt to have her arms around him like that, even if it was just a platonic hug. “You missed a terrible lecture yesterday. Lambert kept going on about some theory and you know how he loves to hear himself talk...”

“Don’t I ever,” Hermione groaned.

“So your friend had her baby?” he asked conversationally.

Hermione nodded. “At around half past five this morning. A little girl; they named her Chiaki.” She smiled as she remembered holding the baby. “She’s absolutely gorgeous! Harry and I have to go out and buy her a gift later after classes.”

Inwardly, Gordon groaned. Of course, everything had to somehow revolve around Harry. It always seemed to somehow go back to Harry with Hermione. “That’s nice,” he said with false politeness.

“Other than that, it’s just been dealing with the reactions from Luna’s article.” Hermione brushed her bangs out of her eyes. “Can you believe an American paper picked it up as well?”

“You don’t say,” Gordon said. “Then I guess everything worked out for the best for you and your friend. And Harry, too.”

“You could definitely say that,” Hermione said.

“It was all anyone could talk about on campus yesterday,” Gordon said, motioning to some girls in the rows ahead of them who kept looking at Hermione and whispering.

Hermione nodded at the girls and looked back at her friend. “What were people saying?” she couldn’t help but whisper curiously.

“Just that they couldn’t believe the girl in the photographs was you and that you were a lucky girl to have landed the great Harry Potter,” Gordon answered.

Hermione smiled. “He really is great,” she thought of her boyfriend, who despite his vows not to kip until she got home was probably sleeping at that very moment. “He and Ron are Chiaki’s godfathers. He was so sweet with her this morning when we all got to hold her.”

“Make you think about having a few of your own, did it?” Gordon asked, picturing in his mind him and Hermione with their own little family.

“I won’t lie and say no,” Hermione replied. “But Harry and I aren’t anywhere near that step. I’d like to be married and possibly into my career before I go about having any children.”

He wondered if she knew that Potter would probably just want her popping out baby after baby and any career hope she may have would fall by the wayside.

“You’ve got plenty of time for that,” Gordon said, grinning at her. “When you’re Minister for Magic, I can tell everyone I knew you when...”

“I hope you’ll still know me!” Hermione laughed. “Come on, I’m not about to forget all you little people. And if you’re lucky, maybe I’ll hire you to be my gopher.” She teased.

“You’d let me be one of your ‘people’, would you?” he asked smiling at her. “I’d be honoured.”

Hermione grinned at him. “Gordon, go for this,” she joked. “How does that sound?”

“Music to my ears,” he said laughing.

“Get used to it then,” Hermione and Gordon were still laughing as the professor came into the classroom.

“Ready to hear him drone on?” Gordon whispered.

“Poke me if I start to fall asleep,” Hermione said in a low voice.

“Deal,” Gordon said, watching out of the corner of his eye as Hermione started to take notes. He liked her so much better like this. She wasn’t made up or fake. She was natural. This was who she was. This was the girl he loved. He hoped to undo the damage Potter had caused. No, he said to himself, he would undo the damage Potter caused. There was no question in his mind.

*** *** ***

Neville had borrowed Seamus video camera and though he barely knew what he was doing, he knew he wanted to capture this moment for posterity. They were bringing their little girl home today. Even though Cho had put her foot down on taping the delivery, she’d relented about taping the homecoming.

“Okay,” he said to his wife, who was cradling the baby in her arms. “Seamus said to make sure the red light was on and it is, so…just act natural.”

Cho had absolutely no idea what to do. “So um...” she laughed nervously. “We’re bringing Chiaki home for the first time...”

Neville kept the camera trained on his wife and daughter as he tried with his free hand to open the door. He struggled for a bit, but finally opened the door, but nearly dropping the camera in the process.

“Alright, Chiaki,” he said, stepping backwards into the house. “Welcome Home…”

Cho smiled tenderly at her baby girl, who was currently asleep in her arms. “Too bad she’s not awake for this moment,” she laughed.

“Maybe we could do it again when she is awake,” Neville asked. “I mean when she wakes up, we could re-enact the arrival again?”

Cho gave him a look. “This is her homecoming, it won’t be the same,” she replied.

“Right,” Neville said, focusing the camera back on his daughter. “Okay, sweetheart. As you can see, the ride home from the hospital obviously knackered you out, but no worries, we’re taping this for you so you can enjoy it when you’re awake. Which if we are to believe all the books will be at all hours...”

“At odd hours,” Cho corrected. “The next few months aren’t going to be very easy on any of us.”

“Correction, the next 18 years are probably not going to be very easy on us,” Neville said with a grin. “But looking at her now...I have a feeling it’ll be worth it.”

“Oh without a doubt,” Cho kissed Chiaki’s forehead. “I can’t believe she’s finally here! I feel like the past months just flew by the way they have.” She smiled at her husband. “This is, without a doubt, the best I’ve ever felt.”

“It’s the best you’ve ever looked,” he said sincerely. When she rolled her eyes, he shook his head. “Cho, I always think you look beautiful.”

“Well at least I’ve lost the overly large stomach,” she said. “Now I just need to whip myself back into shape altogether.”

“Which I sure you’ll do in no time at all, but I want you to remember what the mediwizard said about taking it easy for the next few days,” he said.

“I know,” Cho replied. “I promise I won’t do anything hasty.”

“Good,” he said, lifting the camera back up. “How about you take our daughter to the nursery?”

Cho shook her head self consciously. “All right,” she took the lead while Neville followed her. “Here’s the nursery, thank you very much to Chiaki’s godfathers Harry and Ron for helping us put it together.”

“And no we didn’t tape that, Chiaki, because your two godfathers didn’t exactly use appropriate language as they put together the furniture in here,” Neville said. “Words like that are not meant for your young ears.”

Cho laughed. “That’s very true.” She carefully laid their child down in her crib. Neville pointed the camera down as Chiaki yawned, her eyes opening for a moment. Cho and Neville held their breath, hoping she wouldn’t cry but she simply closed her eyes again.

“I could watch her for hours,” Neville whispered.

“So could I,” Cho agreed, stroking the velvety patch of hair on her daughter’s head. “Merlin, I still can’t believe we’re parents!”

“We are,” Neville said softly looking adoringly down at his daughter.

Cho watched as Neville finally shut the camera down. She leaned against his side and he slipped his arms around her. “I love you,” she said softly.

“I love you,” he whispered back as they watched Chiaki sleep. Both of them were tired as well, but neither one of them moved, content to watch her sleep and listen to her breathe.

26. Chapter 26

A/N: Here you all are, another chapter of this story. Just so y’all know, we are just starting on chapter 44, and estimate it will go for another 2-3 chapters. So everything’s STILL just getting heated up ;) And yes, it may seem like it’s moving slow, but with focusing on all the couples, it takes more time to get to the end.

A lot of you were unsure how to pronounce Chiaki, it’s said like chee-ah-kee. We DID name her after Chiaki Kuriyama who is one of the coolest Japanese actresses out there. If you’re not sure who she is, check her out in Kill Bill Vol 1, Battle Royale, or Ju-on (not The Grudge). The name breaks down to mean ‘independent (Chi) autumn (aki)’.

We see a return of good ol’ Gran Longbottom in this chapter as well as Ron’s feeling on Luna’s possible new job. So please read, enjoy and of course, review ;)

Ron spent his afternoon pulling golden feathers out of his hair, cursing his brothers over their latest invention. His mind was occupied with the fact that his girlfriend was currently sitting with the heads of the American newspaper that had run the article she’d written on Harry and Hermione.

It had been a large hit with the American audience and Luna was quite literally reaping the benefits. More papers had nabbed the article, but the biggest had been the original- a wizarding paper run out of Boston.

“If she doesn’t come by, I’ll go over there,” Ron pulled another gold feather out of his hair, tossing it aside. Why wouldn’t Luna come by, he reasoned with a nervous laugh. Even if Michael was getting the same benefits as her, it wouldn’t be a reason for her to leave him.

Luna literally ran the entire distance from The Quibbler office to the joke shop. She'd been so excited she'd forgotten her cloak and although the weather was quite cold, she didn't feel it. She was warmed by her happiness and the exhilaration she felt from her impromptu run. She'd just received the greatest news of her professional career and she could hardly wait to share it with the most important person in her life.

As she turned the last corner onto the street the shop was on, she nearly knocked down two wizards who cursed after her, but she didn't even stop. When she finally made it to the shop, she swung open the door. Clutching her side, she struggled to catch her breath as her bewildered boyfriend stared at her from the counter.

"Are you alright?" Ron stared at her, his eyes wide.

Luna gasped, but smiled. She held up her index finger to indicate to him she needed to catch her breath.

"Fan-tastic news," she said breathlessly. A confused expression came over her face. "W-what h-happened to your hair?"

Ron reached up with a groan and extracted several more feathers. "Don't ask me, ask Fred and George," he said sourly. "Experiment gone wrong..."

Luna's breathing returned to normal and she leaned against the counter. "You'll never guess what happened," she said with her eyes twinkling

"I've been hoping you would stop by after your meeting," Ron pulled her back behind the counter.

"I came here straightaway when it was finished," Luna said. "I didn't even bother with my cloak, I just had to come and tell you."

"What?" Ron grinned as she laughed and plucked another feather out of his ginger red hair.

"Well," she began. "The meeting was in my dad's office. It was my dad, Michael, me and two of the managing editors for that American paper. Ron, they were so nice and complimentary. They were literally gushing over what Michael and I did with the Harry and Hermione article. Did you know it was their best seller in over 20 years?"

"That's fantastic!" Ron was delighted.

Luna nodded. "You wouldn't think it could get better, but it did. They invited Michael and I over there for a few weeks at the end of next month. He and I will be doing some freelance for their paper as well as some of the smaller papers in the eastern part of the States. And, get this...if they like what we do, they might hire us permanently!"

She whooped excitedly and threw herself into Ron's arms. "I can't believe this is all happening so fast!"

Ron held the smile firmly in place but his heart skipped a beat. "Hire you permanently?" he asked, holding her close so she couldn't see his face.

"Yeah, can you believe it?" she asked excitedly into his shoulder. "I mean, I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, because for all I know, I could fall flat on my face in America, but how could you not get excited over something like this?"

Ron forced the lump in his throat down. "You're right, this is absolutely fantastic!" he pretended to be happy, and couldn't help a slight twinge of excitement when he saw her blue eyes twinkling. "Guess... I guess we'd better put the flat plans on hold then aye?"

Luna's smile faltered somewhat. "No," she said shaking her head. "Even if I get a job in America, I can just work during the weekdays and commute home every few evenings. What good is being magical if you can't use it to your advantage, right?"

"Right," Ron brushed a few loose strands of hair out of her eyes and kissed her gently.

She smiled sweetly at him. "Ron, we'll make it work. We've come through too much to let something like this derail our plans, right? Which reminds me, did you still want to go and check out those places you were telling me about?"

"We can do that next weekend," Ron replied. "This weekend you and I have a date in Brighton, remember?"

Luna frowned. "That was this weekend?"

"Yeah," Ron said. "We rang the place and told them to expect us, remember?"

"Oh no," Luna said, putting her head in her hands. "I completely forgot! It's just...the editors wanted to bring Michael and I in to Boston this weekend to get a feel for the place. But, I could reschedule..."

"No... We can reschedule," Ron replied, the tightening in his chest starting up again.

"Are you sure?" Luna asked. "Ron, I'm so sorry. In all the excitement from the interview, it just slipped my mind."

"This is your career we're talking about," Ron said, forcing a smile on his face.

Luna kissed him. "You are absolutely the best boyfriend on the planet! And I promise to bring you back something great from Boston."

This time Ron's smile was genuine. "Hang on a second," he said, pulling away from her and running to the door. He turned the sign over so it said they were closed and sprinted back to the counter. "The back room is currently unoccupied," he said suggestively.

"I see that," she said with a sly smile. "It'd be a shame for it to go to waste, wouldn't it?"

"Quite," Ron pulled her back, his mouth affixing firmly to hers as the door banged shut behind them.

*** *** ***

Cho patted Chiaki's back. Her baby had just been fed and they were now in the midst of an ever so lovely burp session.

She felt sorry for her husband- Neville had gotten up last night to sit with Chiaki as she cried and as a result had not gotten much sleep. Yet he'd dragged himself out of bed that morning for training and wasn't due back until later that evening.

A knock at the door startled her and she groaned as she got up, Chiaki still sitting over her shoulder as she went down the small hallway.

When Cho opened the door, she saw a rather tall, slim blonde woman standing on her doorstep. She looked disdainfully at Cho. Her eyes fell on the baby in Cho's arms and she gave Cho an icy stare.

"You're her?" the woman finally asked with her nose scrunched up in a look of what could only be described as disgust.

"Can I help you?" Cho asked, turning so Chiaki was facing away from the woman.

"Draco told me once that you were quite a beauty," the woman said, giving Cho an appraising look. It hit Cho suddenly who this woman was, but what she didn't know was why she was here.

Cho really didn't know what to say. "You're Malfoy's mother," she stated coolly. "I suppose you came by to meet your granddaughter, although technically she's not YOUR granddaughter since Malfoy signed the adoption papers."

"My granddaughter?" Narcissa said, shaking her head. "My dear girl, I have no doubt that brat isn't of any relation to me."

Cho narrowed her eyes. "As pleasant as this conversation is, or could be... is there something I can help you with before you leave?" her voice became colder.

"I came by here to assure you that I don't care what lies you told my son that under no circumstances will we give you any money for her care or support," Narcissa said, folding her arms. "And don't think of going to the papers about this..."

"Why on earth would I?" Cho asked. "Merlin, she's not even Draco's anymore- he has no legal rights to her whatsoever. He signed them all away so don't YOU even think of coming after us." she held Chiaki protectively to her as if Narcissa had demanded to be given the baby.

"Don't think I don't know what you are," Narcissa said disdainfully. "Harry Potter's best friend, isn't that right? That lovely story in the newspaper sounded so heartbreakingly sweet when it talked about him caring so much for you. I bet that brat is his and the two of you came up with this plan to get back at my family. My husband may be in Azkaban now, but he still knows what goes on...."

"Good for him," Cho snapped. "Your husband was put in Azkaban because he was You Know Who's follower and because he’s a rotten wizard, not because he did nothing wrong. He got caught doing business with dark wizards, so he’s where he deserves to be.” She glared more fiercely at the blonde. "And I bet you just loved thinking that Chiaki is Harry's. I'll bet you were the one who fed the Daily Prophet all those lies in trying to make Harry look bad. Sorry, didn't work."

"I assure you I have better things to do with my time than help the Daily Prophet," Narcissa said icily. "No, it wasn't me, Miss Chang, but whoever it was deserves a medal. It's not too many people who can make your hero look bad, is it?"

Chiaki started to cry in Cho's arms as Narcissa spoke and it obviously infuriated her. "Can't you control her?" Narcissa asked crossly. "Some mother you'll be..."

"I'll have you not talk to my granddaughter-in-law like that!" a voice said from behind Narcissa.

Cho stared in astonishment as Neville's Gran stepped up behind Narcissa. "Mrs. Longbottom," she said in surprise.

Mrs. Longbottom eyed Narcissa up and down. She'd heard every word of Narcissa and Cho's conversation and she'd debated whether or not she should just leave unnoticed, but hearing Narcissa Malfoy say what she was saying had been the last straw.

"YOU have no place here," Mrs. Longbottom said dismissively to Narcissa. "My great-granddaughter is clearly upset by your being here. I'd appreciate it -- as I know Cho would --if you'd just leave."

"Yes, please leave." Cho recovered from her shock. "And I definitely would appreciate it if you would kindly never come back. I don't want Draco Malfoy in my life any more than you want me in yours."


"As if I would want to come back to this...hovel," Narcissa said disdainfully. "Good day, Miss Chang."

Narcissa started to walk away, but Mrs. Longbottom called out to her. "She is a member of the Longbottom family, Mrs. Malfoy. You'd do well to remember that."

Narcissa stopped in her tracks, but didn't turn around. After a few moments, she walked down the corridor and out of sight.

Cho stared at Neville's Gran for a few moments. "Um... why don't you come in," she stepped aside and held the door open.

Mrs. Longbottom nodded and walked inside the apartment. She looked around the living room, but her expression gave nothing away. Chiaki's crying had subsided and Mrs. Longbottom turned to look at her great-granddaughter.

"What... brings you over?" Cho asked, shifting her daughter to her other shoulder. "Can I get you something to drink or eat?"

"No...Thank you," Mrs. Longbottom said politely. "I was in the neighbourhood visiting some friends and I thought I'd stop by..."

Cho nodded. "Oh!" she came forward. "Perhaps you'd like to meet your great granddaughter?" she nestled Chiaki in her arms so Mrs. Longbottom could see her properly.

Mrs. Longbottom didn't say anything for awhile. She just looked down at the baby. "She's..." Mrs. Longbottom said, but her voice trailed off. "She's...a beautiful child."

"Thank you," Cho replied nervously. "You should see Neville around her. He loves her so much and he's an amazing father..." she smiled down at her baby.

"I had no doubt he would be," Mrs. Longbottom said quietly. "Frank was a good father, too..."

"I'm sure he was," Cho replied. "I wish Neville had gotten to know him before..."

"As do I," Mrs. Longbottom said, her voice breaking a bit. She wasn't usually one to show her emotions or wear her heart on her sleeve, and the way she was acting now surprised her more than she cared to admit.

"I'm... I'm really glad you came by," Cho sat down in the chair she liked to use when feeding her daughter. "I'm sorry we haven't seen more of one another."

"So am I," Mrs. Longbottom said genuinely. She sat down on the sofa opposite Cho. "I hope that you won't take anything Narcissa Malfoy says to heart. I've known her for years. She's as bad as her husband with that pureblood nonsense. He deserved what he got, I'll tell you that. He deserves worse."

"I agree. I'm glad they all got put in Azkaban for their dealings," Cho said. "And I wouldn't listen to her. Part of me wishes I'd never listened to her son either... but now I've got Chiaki and I wouldn't change that for the world."

Mrs. Longbottom nodded. "Neville loves you very much. I didn't understand that before, but I think I do now. And I know it's a little late, but I'd like to welcome you officially to our family. You and your...Chiaki."

"Thank you," Cho's eyes went glassy but she didn't let her tears fall. "It will mean a lot to Neville to have you in our lives. And to me as well."

"Thank you," Mrs. Longbottom said softly. "I'd like to invite you and Neville and the baby, of course, to dinner sometime. I promise it will be a much nicer affair this time than it was last."

Cho smiled. "We'd love that," she said gladly.

Mrs. Longbottom stood up and gave Cho a slight smile. "I've kept you long enough, my dear. I should be getting back home."

"Stop by anytime you like," Cho said, feeling like a weight had lifted from her shoulders. "I'm home on maternity leave so..."

"If you need any help, my door is always open," Mrs. Longbottom said. "You don't have to see me out. You stay there with your daughter. And please give my best to Neville."

She walked over to where Cho was sitting and caressed the baby's cheek with her finger. "Take care of the little one," Mrs. Longbottom said gently before walking out the door, leaving a surprised Cho in her wake.

Cho sat there for several minutes looking at the door before she gave a little laugh. "Can you believe this Chiaki?" she asked her daughter, who simply yawned in reply.

**** ***** *****

It was days like this that made Harry question why on earth he'd decided on this particular career option. While the incessant teasing and taunting from his classmates and instructors had stopped, the rigorous training had taken its place. They'd been told at the end of today's session that it was just going to get worse.

As he and Neville walked out of the classroom, he sighed. "And just think we get to do it all again tomorrow," Harry said sarcastically to his friend.

"I hate this," Neville muttered. "I got maybe three hours of sleep last night. Chiaki kept waking up."

"Thackeray shouldn't have made such an example of you when you nodded off during that combat spell demonstration," Harry said supportively to his friend. "He's such an arse sometimes."

"Aye, he is." Neville replied. "Can't wait until we get out of this course. I'm considering dropping a few of them and finishing up later."

"You can't be serious," Harry couldn't stop himself from saying. "Neville, I know it's hard now, but if you give up now, you know as well as I do, you'll never get back into it."

"Yeah I know," Neville sighed. "Wishful thinking is all..."

"Besides, if you left, I'd have no one to commiserate with," Harry said, trying to lighten Neville's mood. "I'd have to start hanging out with Megan and she'd just fall in love with me again..."

That thought made Neville chuckle. "I knew you were dying to have Megan back," he teased.

"Yeah, I've missed her so," Harry said dramatically. He looked down at his watch. It was just gone five in the afternoon. He hoped that Hermione and Gordon had finished studying and that the git wouldn't be there when he returned home. After the day he'd had, the last thing he needed to see was Gordon Devereaux making himself comfortable in the cottage.

Neville yawned. "Well... here's to hoping Cho has Chiaki down for a kip, because I need one too." he turned off on the road that would lead him down to his and Cho's flat. "I'll see you tomorrow morning Harry."

"Bright and early," Harry called out to him. A few minutes later, he was standing outside the cottage, trying to dig his keys out from the bottom of his bag. From inside, he could hear the faint sound of music. He hoped that Hermione wasn't in there teaching Gordon how to dance. Shaking the ridiculous notion out of his head, he finally found his keys and unlocked the door.

After taking off his cloak and setting his bag by the door, he walked into the living room to see Hermione...alone...cleaning.

Hermione hummed to herself as she spun around with the feather duster in her hands. She normally wouldn't bother cleaning the Muggle way but she was in a good mood.

Harry stifled a laugh as he watched her move around. He watched her for a few more seconds before calling out, "So this is what you do when I'm not here?"

Hermione yelped in surprise as she turned around to see Harry leaning against the door frame. "How long have you been there?" she asked.

"Long enough," he said with a laugh.

Hermione dropped her feather duster and practically ran at him. "I missed you today," she said, her lips barely a centimetre from his.


"Go a little easy on me today," he said wincing a bit as her arms encircled his neck. He was still sore from the hits he'd taken today. Sore or not, he wasn't going to waste the opportunity to have a snog. Besides, they'd not had a proper goodbye this morning as he'd left for training at daybreak. He kissed her softly and smiled at her. "If you and the feather duster want to be alone, I can always go upstairs..."

"The feather duster is nice, but it's no substitute for you," Hermione replied. "Rough day?" she asked sympathetically. "How's Neville holding up?"

"Worse than me," Harry said, plonking down on the sofa as Hermione went to turn the volume of the stereo down. "Maybe you and I should volunteer for babysitting duty so he and Cho can get some sleep."

"Sure," Hermione answered, sitting next to him. "How was your day besides the rigorous training?"

"There was nothing else to my day besides the bloody training," he said, leaning back on the sofa and closing his eyes. "What about yours? Where's your study buddy?"

"He said he was going out with Skylar tonight," Hermione answered, running her hands through Harry's inky black hair. "We met early this morning so I could copy his notes from those days I missed."

Harry was surprised that Gordon was still dating Skylar. He figured that after how Gordon had treated the girl at the wedding, that relationship wouldn't have legs. Truth be told, Harry couldn’t care less as long as it kept Gordon from thinking anything romantic would develop with Hermione.

"So did you miss much?" he asked. He still felt bad that she'd had to skive off her classes mainly because of him.

"Not really," Hermione said, still running her fingers through his hair. "I don't care if I did." she added, much to his surprise.

Harry opened his eyes and looked at her properly. "Am I in some parallel universe?" he asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "I know I didn't hear Hermione Jane Granger say those words."

“Shut it you," she said affectionately. "I've just decided... well... you're far more important to me than my marks." her hands slipped down to cup his face.

"It must be love," he said softly, leaning in for another kiss.

"Of course it's love silly," Hermione laughed as Harry pulled her over onto his lap.

"Do you remember what you did for me that day at Neville and Cho's?" he asked her. "Not the telling our intimate secrets part or the huge argument we had, of course, but that massage you gave me? I'd sell my soul for another one of those right about now."

Hermione smiled. "Anything for you," she whispered. "Move down here," she indicated for him to sit closer to the edge of the sofa.

Smiling at her triumphantly, he did as he was told.

Hermione perched herself behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Just relax," she said as she began to knead over his jumper.

"I can do that," he said softly, closing his eyes.


Hermione smiled as she worked her hands over his shoulders, neck and down his back. He would let out sporadic groans, letting her know he was enjoying this. "Does that feel better?" she asked, letting her lips touch his ear.

"Best I've felt all day," he whispered. At her touch, he felt the stress and tension from training seem to evaporate.

Hermione, still rubbing his shoulders, kissed down the side of his neck. "Anything else I can do to make you feel better?" she asked in a rather husky voice.

With one deft movement, he took his arm and pulled her around and kissed her with an intensity that he hadn't thought he could muster with how exhausted he was. But, he had a feeling she knew exactly what she was doing. She had him right where she wanted him.

Hermione grinned devilishly. "Lie down," she commanded, her eyes darkening.

"My, aren't we aggressive this evening," he said with a grin to match her own. He lay back on the sofa and looked expectantly up at Hermione.

Hermione only grinned wider as she pushed up on his jumper, trailing her mouth over his abs. Harry shifted underneath her as she pushed up even more on his jumper. He arched his back and yanked it over his head, tossing it to the floor next to him. "You're not too tired for this," Hermione commented with a teasing smile.

"Oh really?" he asked, but knew that she was right. "How do you know I won't fall asleep on you like you did to me?"

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You're going to use that against me forever aren't you?"

"No," he said with a smile. "You've more than made up for it since then."

"That's right Potter," Hermione said, running her hands over his bare chest while she straddled his lower half. "So if I hear you talk about that again..."

He cut her off by pulling her up his chest so he could kiss her. "You'll what?" he asked her. When she didn't answer, he kissed her again.

"You're horrid," she breathed when they pulled away. "Snogging me like that when I'm trying to be all in control..."

"You're just as bad," he teased. "Doing what you were doing when you know I'm knackered."

"Hey you asked for a massage," Hermione replied. "So I gave you one... it was YOU that pulled me around and started the snogging."

Harry laughed. "You asked what else you could do to make me feel better. I thought that was a not-so-subtle invitation."

"It was," Hermione replied.

"And now you're trying to turn this around on me?" he asked.

"Harry... just be quiet while you're still ahead," Hermione leaned in and kissed him again, guiding his hands up under her shirt.

He went to say something again, but she put a finger to his lips.

"Shhhh..." she kissed him softly. "You've had a long rough day and I want to take care of you..." she smiled impishly.

"Okay," he said with a wide smile. "But, can we take this upstairs? After you 'take care of me', I don't think I'll be able to move."


Hermione laughed. "Come on," she pushed herself off him and Harry followed suit, linking their fingers together as they ran to their bedroom.


*** *** ***

Neville wearily unlocked the door to their flat. He was tired but was looking forward to seeing his wife and daughter.

His daughter- the thought made a smile appear on his face. He still couldn't believe that he was a father. "Hello?" he called out in a low voice.

Cho tiptoed out of the nursery and put a finger to her lips. "I just put her down," she whispered. She smiled at her husband. "Don't take this the wrong way, but you look really awful."

"I feel really awful," Neville groaned quietly.

"Do you want some tea?" she asked. "I can put the kettle on."

"That sounds fantastic," Neville leaned over to kiss her. "How was your day love?"

"Strange," she said as she walked into the kitchen. Neville followed her and sat down at the table. "Do you want to hear the strange part or the really strange part first?"

"Whichever you like," Neville gave her an odd glance.

Cho looked thoughtful as she filled the kettle with water. "Okay...Narcissa Malfoy showed up at our doorstep this morning," she said simply as she put the kettle on the stove.

Neville blinked. "Draco Malfoy's mother?"

"The one and only," Cho said. "She was really horrid to me and to the baby. She basically accused me of teaming up with Harry to extort money from her and make her family look terrible. Do you know it must run in their family that when something bad happens, you don't take responsibility for your own actions, you look to blame someone else? She's as bad as her son ever was. Worse, if you ask me."

Neville's eyes were narrowed. "I'd like to find her and hex the living daylights out of her for coming here uninvited."

Cho turned around and smiled at her husband. "That's just the thing, Neville. You don't have to do anything. Someone else stepped in and stood up for me."


"Who?" Neville asked.

"Your Gran," Cho answered simply.

Neville's eyes opened wide. "My Gran was here?"

"Yeah," Cho said, still a little in awe of what had happened. "She heard the terrible things Mrs. Malfoy said to me and she jumped in and told her basically to shut it and that I was a member of your family and that Mrs. Malfoy better get used to it."

She saw the stunned expression on Neville's face and she walked over to the table and sat down beside him. "I was really stunned, too."

"Gran, MY Gran, stuck up for you?" Neville asked; a weight lifting off his chest at his wife's words.

Cho nodded. "She even stayed a bit afterwards. We had a lovely chat and she thinks we have a beautiful daughter. And she said that she always knew you'd be a good father."

Neville let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding. "I can't believe she came around like that," he said.

"I'm glad she did," Cho admitted. "I hated to think I was the cause of you losing the only family you really have..."

"Family I really have?" Neville asked. "I have my family right here in this flat right now." he reached over and caressed her cheek softly. "But you're right... my Gran still is important to me- she raised me since I was a baby."

"She...she said that she'd like us to come for dinner sometime soon and she promised it would be much better than the last time," Cho said, tears coming to her eyes at the memory of her conversation with Neville's grandmother and because of what he'd just told her.

"What do you think of all this?" Neville asked softly.

"I'm over the moon about it," Cho said with a smile. "Stunned beyond all belief, but still very happy that she finally came around. How about you?"

"The same," Neville said. "Come here," he pulled her over. "This is the first time I've been able to have you sit on my lap." he smiled up at her.

"Without fear of me breaking your legs?" she asked teasingly.

"Exactly," Neville laughed softly.

"So training was really awful?" she asked, her forehead resting on his.

"Horrible today. Even Harry was knackered when it was over." Neville replied, winding his arms around her.

"Why don't you go and get some rest?" she asked him. "I'll put a warming charm on the tea and you can have it when you wake up. In fact, I might just join you. That daughter of ours sure does have a set of healthy lungs on her."

"Aye, something she must have gotten from Malfoy," Neville smiled to soften his words.

"Well, let's hope that's all she got from him," Cho said, sliding off of his lap. She walked over to the stove and turned the burner off, placing a charm on the kettle with her wand.

"Come on, then," she said, holding out her hand to her husband. "Let's get some sleep while we can."

"Okay," Neville followed her down the small corridor quietly.

They'd just made it past Chiaki's room when the baby started to cry. Both Cho and Neville froze.

"I'll go," Cho said quickly.

"No," Neville said. "I'll go- I haven't seen her all day."


”Yes, but you're more knackered than I am," Cho argued. When she saw him about to counter with his own argument, she smiled. "How about we both go?"

"Okay," Neville grasped her hand as they entered the baby's room. Chiaki's crying grew louder until her father picked her up, holding her gently in his arms. "There's a good girl..." he said soothingly.

"You're the only one she does that for," Cho said, amazed. "You pick her up and she stops crying. I think we just may have a daddy's girl on our hands."

Neville smiled. "Works for me," he laughed as Chiaki made a cooing noise. "You giving your Mum a tough time of things while I'm away?"

Cho laughed and peered over Neville's shoulder at her daughter who looked obliviously up at her parents. "Your Gran was right...you are a great father," Cho said softly.

"And you're a great mother," Neville replied, giving her a soft kiss.

"I don't know about that," Cho said, smiling just the same.

"You are," Neville passed their daughter over to her.

Cho cuddled Chiaki to her chest as she slowly walked over to the rocking chair that Hermione's parents had given them. Cho gingerly sat down and began to rock slowly in the chair as Chiaki's eyes began to slowly close.

Neville couldn't help but smile as he watched the two people he loved most in the world sit together. "See?" he whispered.

"See what?" she whispered back.

"You're doing fine," Neville said even more quietly.

"Sometimes she makes it so easy," Cho said with a smile. "You go on and take a kip. I'll join you in a minute."

"I'll be waiting," Neville pressed a gentle kiss to Chiaki's forehead.

Cho watched as Neville quietly walked out of the room. She continued to gently rock back and forth in the chair, marvelling yet again at how her life had turned out. It certainly wasn't how she planned. But, as she looked down at Chiaki, she knew she wouldn't have had it any other way.

*** *** ***

The following Tuesday evening found Ron absolutely miserable. He and Luna were on a sort of "double date" with Harry and Hermione. It was a last minute thing thrown together by Hermione. He'd wanted some time alone with Luna since he hadn't seen much of her the past few days, but he felt he couldn't say no to their friends or risk looking like a spoilsport.

Though, to the outside observer, they probably would have thought he was happy as a clam. As he listened to Luna relate to Harry and Hermione her weekend adventure in Boston with Michael and the American editors, he plastered a smile on his face. He nodded in the appropriate places and even contributed a comment here and there.

He felt terrible for feeling this way. Here, he and Luna were, closer than ever, and he felt as if they were going to drift apart at any second. And he felt helpless to do anything about it.

"That sounds so exciting, Luna!" Hermione exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you and Michael."

"I keep telling you, it's me who should be thanking you," Luna was nearly bubbling over with happiness. "If it weren't for you asking me to write that article..."

"We asked because we knew you'd do a fabulous job," Hermione interjected.

Harry nodded. "Loony Lovegood, you've made quite a spectacle of yourself," he teased.

Ron picked his menu up and looked over the list of entrees. "So," he said, clearing his throat. "What does everyone feel like?"

Harry looked at the menu. "Want to split a few dishes?" he asked his girlfriend.

"Absolutely," Hermione said. "I haven't eaten since breakfast. I'm famished."

Harry smiled. "Order what you like- I'm not picky," he said. Hermione pecked him on the cheek as she turned to the waitress. His eyes wandered over to Ron, who was staring at the menu with great intensity.

"Looking rather serious there Ron," Harry joked, trying to make his best friend smile.

Ron hadn't heard Harry. It was only when he felt Harry staring at him that he looked over his menu. "I'm sorry...what?"

Harry shook his head. "Nothing," he replied, deciding to wait until he could get Ron alone before asking what was wrong.

After everyone had placed their orders, Hermione peppered Luna with more questions about her trip. Ron suddenly felt angry toward Hermione for steering the conversation back to the one topic he didn't want to talk about.

"So when do you and Michael go back?" Hermione asked Luna.

"In a couple of weeks," Luna replied. "They're going to set us together as a team, to do a few stories for them. And if they like what they see, then we'll be talking contract." she fiddled with her glass of wine. "In all honesty... I want to do this but I feel awful leaving the Quibbler behind."

"But your dad is all for it, though right?" Hermione asked. "I'm sure he'll miss you, of course, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime."

"Oh we both know that," Luna replied. "But I still feel bad..."

Ron couldn't help but smile at the glimmer of hope that Luna might change her mind and decide to stay home. He instantly felt remorseful for thinking this way. Hermione was right. This was the opportunity of a lifetime and Luna would be a fool to pass it up.

"I need to use the loo," Luna said, getting up.

"I'll come with," Hermione said, following suit.

Harry watched her go. "What is it about girls and going to the bathroom together?" he asked shaking his head in amusement before looking back at his friend. "All right, what's going on Ron?"

"Nothing," Ron said evasively before taking a swig of his beer. "Why do you ask?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Ron, I know you pretty damn well, especially after living in a dorm with you at Hogwarts for so long. You're upset about Luna possibly moving over to America aren't you?"

Ron started to respond with his standard reply when people asked him how he felt about Luna's great job opportunity, but he knew Harry wouldn't buy it.


"You don't think she notices, do you?" Ron asked.

"No," Harry replied. "But then again, one can tell she's so excited about this that she wouldn't see you being a prat about it." he gave his friend a level glare. "Why don't you talk to her about it? Especially now that you've told her how you want to move in together and all."

"Yeah, let me just tell her that I think she should chuck the biggest thing to happen to her so she can stay here and play house with me," Ron said sarcastically. "I could pretty much kiss her goodbye if I did that, couldn't I?"

Harry sighed. "This really puts you between a rock and a hard place," he said.

"Yeah," Ron said, looking down at his empty plate. "If something like this happened for Hermione, what would you do?"

Harry raised his eyebrows. "I'm not sure," he admitted.

"Tell me about it," Ron said, leaning back in his chair. "On the one hand, I am happy for her...and proud. She's worked so hard for something like this and deserves it. But, on the other hand, I want her here with me. I know it's selfish, but that's the way I feel."

Harry bit his lower lip. "Have you thought about moving over there with her?"

"Even if I wanted to, I couldn't," Ron answered. "I haven't even told Luna this, but the twins offered me a part of their partnership. I signed the papers this weekend."

"That's great," Harry smiled.

"Yeah," Ron said. He drained his glass. "I've wanted to tell her about it, but she's been talking about Boston this and Boston that since she's been back. This is actually only the second time I've seen her since she's been back."

"Are you serious?" Harry asked. "Her trip was two weeks ago! And I thought you two were going to Brighton?"

"Indefinitely postponed," Ron said glumly. "She's been incredibly busy, as have I, but it just feels as if we're drifting apart and I can't bloody do anything about it!"

"You can do something about it," Harry said. "Talk to her- tell her how you really feel before it DOES push a wedge between you."

Ron opened his mouth to respond, but at that moment Hermione and Luna returned to the table. "What were you two looking so serious about?" Hermione asked, sitting down. "Certainly not Quidditch?"

"The Chudley Cannons," Harry replied, covering fast. "Ron thinks they're going to win."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You're not going to start talking about that Wonky-faint thing again, are you?"

"Wronski Feint," both Harry and Ron corrected her at the same time.

"You know Hermione, if you're going to live with Harry forever and ever, you'd better learn proper Quidditch terminology," Luna teased her.

"I just don't get it," Hermione said, trying not to laugh at the bewildered expressions on both Harry and Ron's faces. It was as if she'd told them that she didn't understand what the big deal was about sex. "It's fine for some people, but I've never been a fan of flying. I like my feet on the ground, thank you very much."

Harry leaned towards her. "I'll bet I could change your mind on that," he said. "One afternoon of flying with me and you'll wonder why you ever hated it."

This time it was Hermione who looked bewilderedly at Harry. "Word of warning, love. The one and only flying lesson I had a Beauxbatons, I threw up on six of my classmates. And I was barely off the ground when it happened."

Harry looked unimpressed. "Rubbish," he said. "How old were you?"


"Eleven," Hermione replied. "Why?"

"That was almost ten years ago," Harry replied. "I remember the first time Ron and I took flying lessons," he sat back and laughed. "He was trying to get his broom to fly into his hand and it flew up and hit him square in the nose."

Hermione and Luna giggled. "Really?" Hermione asked, looking at Ron.

"Must you tell everyone we know about that?" Ron asked, glaring at Harry. Truth be told, he was enjoying himself for the first time that evening. As long as they kept the conversation away from Luna's job opportunity, he knew the evening could be salvaged.

"Of course I have to," Harry replied. "Makes me look more credible."

"Yeah, well as much as I love you, Harry---and I do---there are some things I just won't do and getting back on a broom is one of them," Hermione said.

"We'll see about that," Harry replied. "This discussion is far from over."

"It is," Hermione said sweetly. "And I refuse to change my mind."

Harry smiled. "You're forgetting how persuasive I can be Ms. Granger."

Ron coughed. "And you're both forgetting there are two other people at the table."

"Luna," Hermione said, ignoring Ron's comment. "Has Ron ever taken you flying?"

"Come to think of it..." Luna looked accusingly at her boyfriend. "No, you haven't Ron!"

"You never asked me to!" Ron said defensively. "All you ever had to was ask..."

"Well you could have offered," Luna hid her smile.

"You name the time and place and we'll do it," Ron said, leaning in to peck her on the cheek.

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look. "Now look who's forgetting there are two other people at this table," Hermione said grinning at her two friends.

Luna giggled as Ron nuzzled her neck. If she was truly honest with herself, the Quibbler wasn't the reason she was unsure of taking a job over in Boston. It was because of the redheaded love of her life currently sitting next to her.

27. Chapter 27

A/N: You all seem to love those Gordon free chapters so much that we hate to tell you he’s back with a vengeance in this one. He’s getting creepier and creepier in his obsession with Hermione.

Looking over this chapter we noticed it was mostly H/Hr, guess that’s how things worked out to be this time around.

Sorry that we didn’t get a chance to respond to reviews, both of us have been crazy busy with things in RL, but we’ll get back to those for the Tuesday update.

Enjoy and as always, please review! :)

Hermione stretched as the bell rang through the University corridors. "Thank Merlin," she muttered quietly to Gordon. "I feel as if I've been sitting here for days on end."

Gordon nodded. "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't talk in such a monotone. I was practically stabbing my quill in my leg to keep myself awake," he whispered as they both collected their belongings.

Hermione laughed. "Is that why you kept jumping?" she teased him.

"You saw that, eh?" he asked, grinning at her.

"Of course I did," Hermione answered. "So did you want to go grab some coffee or something until next class?"

Gordon hadn't expected that. Usually, it was he who offered. "I'd love that," he said. "On one condition...you let me treat you."

"You don't have to buy me coffee all the time," Hermione said.

"You bought last time," he reminded her, following her out of the classroom.

"I did?" Hermione asked. "I completely forgot." she smiled at him. "All right then, you buy."

A few moments later, he and Hermione were seated in a coffeehouse near campus. As it was late morning, the place wasn't too crowded and Gordon smiled at Hermione as he watched her drink her cappuccino.

"So I tried calling last night, but I guess you were out," he said conversationally.

"Oh yes, Harry and I were out with Ron and Luna," Hermione replied. "We went to this great Thai restaurant. You should take Skylar there sometime."

"She, um, doesn't really like Thai food," Gordon said. He hadn't seen Skylar since the wedding, but Hermione didn't have to know that. "So did the four of you have a nice time?"

"Yes it was nice," Hermione replied. "It's funny, I feel as if we see so much of one another yet if you really think about it we all don't get a chance to get together as often these days. Cho and Neville are busy with the baby; Lavender and Seamus have their careers which are really taking off..." Hermione shrugged. "At least I have Harry to go home to each night."

Gordon smiled, but inwardly he was fuming. Potter again, of course. Everything eventually came back to him, didn't it? "You're quite lucky," Gordon forced himself to say. "It's nice to have someone to share your life with like that."

"It's funny, really..." Hermione said thoughtfully. "At this point last year I pretty much had despaired on ever finding anyone. And to be honest, it didn't cross my mind all that often- I was too focused on school. But after I met Harry so many things changed."

Gordon listened politely, but he really didn't want to spend his time with Hermione hearing for the umpteenth time about the great love story that was Harry and Hermione.

"So anyways," Hermione changed the subject, realising she was probably boring her friend. "What do you think this next big project will be about?"

Gordon relaxed. "I don't know, but I imagine it will be time-consuming and tedious as always."

"I'm actually kind of looking forward to it," Hermione replied. "I mean... especially if he allows us to spend the time working in the library rather than sit and listen to him lecture in class."

Gordon grinned. "There's the Hermione I know and love! I knew she was in there somewhere."

"Hey I've been here all along!" Hermione bumped his shoulder playfully. "This side of me's just been sleeping due to boring lectures is all!"

He laughed. If he'd been having any doubts that he should drop his plans, the way she was acting with him now convinced him that it was for the best. They were perfect together, he thought to himself. She could be herself with him and it wouldn't be too long before she'd know it, too. He had to start preparing. An idea formed in his head and though he knew it was risky, he had to do it. He'd wasted enough time already. But, to do it, he had to get Hermione away from the table.

"Did you want a refill?" he asked, hoping she'd offer to go up to the counter for both of them.

"Oh sure," Hermione said. "I've got it," she took his cup. "You get to buy next round."

”Okay," he grinned as she walked over to the counter. With his leg, he pulled Hermione's bag closer to him. With one last look to make sure she wasn't looking, he reached inside and pulled out her keys. He quickly pocketed them and slid Hermione's bag back by her chair.

She thanked the woman at the counter and brought the newly filled cups back. "There we are," Hermione said.

Gordon grimaced. "Actually, Hermione...I just remembered an errand I needed to run before our next class. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take my coffee to go."

"Oh," He was pleased to see Hermione look slightly downcast. "Well all right then, I'll just get caught up on some reading then."

"Save me a seat," he asked bending down to pick up his own bag. He wished so much to be able to give her a proper goodbye. "I'll see you later."

"All right see you in a bit," Hermione waved him away, pulling a thick tome out of her bag.

Gordon was positively beaming as he walked out of the coffeehouse. He so loved it when a plan came together.

Nearly a half-hour later, Gordon was sprinting through the quad toward the building that housed the Transfiguration classroom. He'd really gambled with the time, but he didn't have any choice. This would have been his only opportunity to get her keys without her knowledge and with the free time between classes, he knew he'd be able to get a copy made.

Hermione was just settling down at her desk when she saw Gordon come through the door. "Did you get your errands finished?" she asked.

A little out of breath, he nodded. Now, all that remained was putting them back, unnoticed. In theory, that was what he hoped would happen. The last thing he needed was for Hermione to catch him dropping her set of keys into her bag. The jig would most definitely be up.

Hermione smiled and went back to her book. "I've been doing a bit of reading ahead and I went to the library and checked out a few of the textbooks I think we might need for the project. They're in my bag if you want to take a look."

He couldn't believe his good luck. The gods were certainly smiling down on him today. She had no idea what gift she'd just given him. "Thanks, Hermione," he said, leaning down and indiscreetly grabbing her set of keys out of his own bag. Looking up at her, he saw her attention focused on the book in front of her. He looked inside her bag and dropped the keys.

"I'll want to borrow some of those," he said, smiling at her as he sat back in his chair. "You're an angel."

Hermione laughed. "Well it sort of pays back for all those books you've brought to me," she answered.

"I guess we're even then," he said.

"When did you want to get started on this?" Hermione asked absently as she turned the pages of her book.

"I'm free anytime," he said, shrugging. "Whenever is good for you..."

"Well let's hear what he," Hermione nodded her head in the direction of the professor. "…gives us formally... and from there we can work out a study schedule? Besides," Hermione teased. "I'm sure Skylar will want a say in your schedule too!"

"Yeah," Gordon said with a slight smile. She probably would have if he'd paid her the slightest bit of attention. He didn't have any more time to talk to Hermione as the professor began the lesson. Looking at Hermione out of the corner of his eye, he knew that she'd soon be his and his alone.

*** *** ***

Hermione winced as the sunlight sliced through the open shades. "Ughhh..." she muttered as she rolled over, pulling the covers over her and burying her face in her pillow.

At that same moment, the annoying sound of the alarm clock going off filled the room, waking up Harry as well. Blindly he reached out to shut it off. When he finally hit the snooze button, he buried his own face back into his pillow.

"I hate mornings..." Hermione moaned. This morning, especially. Her stomach was churning and she was afraid to move lest it make things worse.

"Mmmph," Harry said incoherently into his pillow.

She pressed her lips together as her hand blindly reached out and touched Harry's bare shoulder. "Harry..." Hermione croaked.

Harry turned his head toward her, but didn't open his eyes. "Stay in here a little longer...we'll get up in a few minutes," he said, his voice scratchy from sleep.

Hermione tried to turn onto her back, which was a big mistake.

Oblivious, Harry reached out for her and tried to pull her to him. With his eyes still closed, he lifted his head up from the pillow and went into kiss her, but heard her groan. The next thing he knew he felt the covers hitting him in the face as Hermione rushed out of bed and into the loo. He sat in bed wondering what had just happened.

"Hermione...?" he called out groggily, rubbing his eyes. He sat up in bed as he heard the muffled sound of her retching.

Hermione finished emptying her stomach and pulled the lid down so she could rest her head against the cool porcelain. She shook as small tears came to her eyes, and a fine sheen of sweat had appeared on her forehead. Hermione was so tired that she didn't even notice Harry come to the bathroom door.

"Hermione..." he called out to her, pushing the ajar open all the way. When he saw her slumped over the toilet, he walked over to her and knelt down beside her. Putting a hand to her forehead, his brow creased in concern as he felt how hot she was. "Sweetheart..." he asked softly.

"Don't," Hermione whimpered, pushing his hand away.

"You're burning up," he said matter-of-factly. "Come on; let's get you back to bed."

"I'll be all right," Hermione didn't resist as he helped her up.

He gingerly helped her back to the bed. "Do you want me to get you some water or some juice?" he asked, not liking at all how pale her skin looked and how hot her forehead had felt.

"No," Hermione said. "I can't lie around here I have to go to class..."

"And have you passing out on the way? I don't think so!" Harry said, shaking his head. "You're staying home today."

"I'm feeling better already," Hermione finally sat up.

"Hermione," he said, hoping to reason with her. "You're sick. Everyone's entitled to take a day off or two when they're sick."

"But I already took a few days off," Hermione pushed the covers away. "I was only hot because I was throwing up."

"And why did you throw up?" Harry asked. "It's because you are sick. You're pushing yourself too far with these classes. You were up until two last night, Hermione. Your body's trying to tell you to slow down."

"Harry I'm FINE," Hermione felt herself get snappish. She honestly already felt better. "Honestly, I probably just ate something that disagreed with me."

"Are you sure?" he asked, still unconvinced. She rolled her eyes as he felt her forehead again. The colour had returned to her cheeks. "Okay so you're not burning up anymore, but you scared me to death, Hermione..."

"Sorry," she softened as she looked up at him. "But I'm fine now I promise Harry."

"Alright," he relented. Leaning in, he kissed her forehead. "I'm going to go downstairs and fetch you some juice. How does that sound?"

"Sure," Hermione replied. "I'm just going to brush my teeth- I've got quite a nasty taste in my mouth."

"Okay," he said squeezing her hand before heading out of the bedroom.

Hermione pulled her long hair off her face as she splashed some cool water on her skin. She still wasn't feeling a hundred percent but she'd make it through the day. After brushing her teeth vigorously, Hermione pulled on a pair of jeans and one of Harry's soft button down shirts.

"Wasn't sure which one you wanted so I brought you apple and orange," Harry said coming back into the bedroom holding two glasses.

"Orange is great," Hermione smiled and took a tiny sip. "Thank you."

"Stealing my clothes again, eh?" he teased.

Hermione smiled. "Makes me think of you during the day," she hugged the shirt to her. "And they're very comfortable as well."

He smiled. "I'd better get in the shower. I have class in thirty minutes. Will you promise me that if you start to feel ill again, you'll come home straightaway?"

"I promise," Hermione replied, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for the juice."

"See you tonight," he promised, winking at her before disappearing into the bathroom.

Hermione watched him go and then went downstairs and grabbed her bag. She didn't have class herself for another hour but knew she needed some fresh air as her stomach was starting to bubble again. "Please don't," she whispered, not wanting to be sick all day.

The rest of her day was much of the same. During one of her breaks, she ran from Gordon and a few other people in her class for the loo where she again emptied the contents of her stomach, although she didn’t run a fever. She could tell Gordon was concerned, but she waved off his comments and insisted she was fine.

After all, there couldn’t be anything wrong. Not when everything in her life was going so right.

*** *** ***

Traditionally, sales went down after the holiday season, but for Madam Malkin's shop, sales were at an all-time high. Madam Malkin was quite pleased and as a result, she'd taken to putting some of Lavender's designs on display throughout the store and in two of the display windows.

With Cho out on maternity leave at least for another month or so, Madam Malkin had employed Caroline Drummond, a pretty black-haired girl who was helping out until Cho came back.

Caroline grinned at Lavender as yet another customer walked out after purchasing a Lavender Brown Original.

"We've only been open two hours and already we've sold five of your designs," Caroline gushed.

Lavender was ecstatic. "I can't believe this!" she squealed. "Seamus is going to be so excited!"

"I don't know if he could top Madam Malkin's reaction," Caroline commented with a laugh. "I can't believe she went out to get champagne. It's still morning."

Lavender laughed. "It's five o'clock somewhere in the world," she replied teasingly.

"True," Caroline said, sitting down on a chair behind the counter. "You really are talented, Lavender. I saw the photographs from Cho's wedding. Those dress robes were fabulous."

"Thanks," Lavender replied. "I appreciate that... I guess I never thought my doodling would pay off like this!"

"And when you're rich and famous, I can say I knew you when," Caroline said. "I'll tell the newspapers and magazines how I used to fold robes alongside the great Lavender Brown."

Lavender snorted back her laughter. "The Great Lavender Brown..." she mused. "I wonder what my boyfriend would think of that.”

"I'm sure he'd be really proud of you," Caroline replied. She'd seen Seamus a couple of times when he came into the shop to visit with Lavender. "He's really quite dreamy, isn't he? And that accent, too! You're so lucky."

The blonde smiled as she thought of Seamus. "Yeah," she said wistfully. "He's really sweet and charming."

"And walking in the door this very minute," Caroline said, motioning toward the door.

"Seamus!" Lavender squealed in surprise. "You'll never believe what's happened today!!"

"I imagine I will," Seamus said, forcing a grin for Lavender. "I spent the entire evening last night cleaning up the set which those morons flooded. I had to spend the first part of this morning explaining to my professor why I needed an extension for the project. So, if you have good news, love...I'm all ears."

"That's horrible," Lavender's good mood deflated a bit. "What is wrong with those idiots at your bloody school?"

"I have no idea, but I'm stuck with them until the end of the project," Seamus said, nodding hello to Caroline. "So, enough about me. What's your great news?"

"FIVE of my designs have sold just today!" Lavender's grin reappeared. "FIVE of them Seamus!"

"Five?" Seamus asked, beaming at her. "It's not even noon yet! That's fantastic." He picked her up in his arms and spun her around. "I always knew you were talented, now the rest of the world is catching on, too!"

Lavender giggled. "So here's hoping that you'll be free tonight to celebrate with me," she said.

"I still have some cleaning up to do, but I'll try and get away early," Seamus promised. "Lavender, I'm really proud of you."

"Thanks," she said. "I can't wait to tell everyone else but I'm so glad you came when you did. I wanted you to be first to know."

"I'm honoured," he said, leaning in to kiss her. "I just had a couple of minutes myself. I wanted to stop in and see you before heading back to campus. I'm glad I did."

"Me too," Lavender wished she could kiss him more passionately but it wouldn't look very professional for her to be sneaking away now.

"I'll give you a call later today and let you know a better idea of when I'll be able to get away," he said smiling at her. "Well, ladies enjoy the rest of your day."

"You too love," Lavender said. "Good luck." she squeezed his hand.

"I'll need it in spades," he said with a wry smile.

After he'd left, Caroline sighed. "You certainly don't need the luck....a keen eye for fashion and a dreamy boyfriend."

Lavender laughed. "I haven't always had luck; I've had my fair share of bad boyfriends."

"What is it they say?" Caroline asked thoughtfully. "You have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince..."

Lavender laughed harder. "Well I had the biggest frog of all this past summer holiday," she replied. "But it led me to Seamus... so I guess I can't think of it too horribly."

"Guess not," Caroline agreed. "I'm going to pop in next door for a coffee, want me to bring you back anything?"

"I'm fine," Lavender said. "Thanks though."

"Sure," Caroline said, heading toward the front door. "I'll just be a few minutes."

Lavender watched her go with a smile. She liked Caroline, and hoped she would stay on even if Cho decided to come back to her job there.

"There's my star designer," Madam Malkin said coming through the door. She smiled broadly at her protégée and set a bottle of champagne on the counter. "I know it’s early, but we have much to celebrate."

Lavender laughed. "I owe you so much Madam Malkin," she replied. "If it weren't for you putting my designs here, I wouldn't have anything right now!"

"It's just the beginning, my dear girl," Madam Malkin said, giving her a hug. "I knew you had something when you showed me your designs. I haven't seen talent such as yours in years."

Lavender actually felt tears well up in her eyes. "Thank you," she said.

"I'm going to need you to submit some more designs," Madam Malkin said. "One of the Hogwarts professors told me they were having a Valentine's Day dance this year and we're really going to need to stock up for that. Do you think you can come up with a few ideas?"

"I'm sure I can!" Lavender said. "In fact, I might have a few already. I got inspired the other night and started drawing..." she rummaged in her bag for her sketchbook.

Madam Malkin watched with delight as Lavender opened up her sketchbook and showed her newest designs. "That one right there...I'm sure the girls at Hogwarts would love."

Lavender couldn't stop her smile. "That one, and then I think if I did this one in red and another one in white..."

"You've read my mind," Madam Malkin said happily. "We better get to work soon. We haven't much time before Valentine's."

"Right," Lavender waved her wand and several bolts of fabric flew towards them from the walls in exactly the shades she wanted. "What a great charm," she said happily.

"Magic definitely helps in our business," Madam Malkin said with a laugh.

*** *** ***

Harry laughed as Chiaki gave him a gummy smile. “She’s grinning at me,” he said smugly.

“It’s probably gas,” Cho snorted, rubbing at the back of her neck. She absolutely loved motherhood and everything that came with it, but she desperately missed sleep.

Hermione slowly came back downstairs. She still couldn't shake the stomach bug that had plagued her the past few days. Because she didn't want Harry to worry, she'd just excused herself and discreetly went upstairs. Things around the Potter-Granger house had been a little tense. It had been nearly a week since they'd made love and she knew Harry was a little cranky because of it. She missed it, too, but this stomach bug certainly didn't put her in the mood.

"And she's back," Cho smiled as she saw her friend.

Hermione gave a weak smile. She'd also tried to stay away from the baby as she certainly didn't want to pass on her nasty stomach bug to the newborn.

"Sorry about that," she said softly.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked her, his eyebrows knitting together. "You told me you were feeling better..."

"I'm fine," she snapped. Seeing the stunned expressions on Neville and Cho's faces, she shrugged. "I'm feeling loads better. I just had to go to the loo."

"What was wrong?" Cho asked. "You were sick Hermione?"

"Just a stomach bug," Hermione said dismissively. "But I'm really okay. Honestly."

Harry still looked at her suspiciously but he settled back against the sofa. Cho looked at her sorrowfully. "I guess you'd better not come near the baby then," she said. "I feel just awful saying that but--"

"No," Hermione said giving her a reassuring smile. "I understand completely. I'll keep my distance."

Neville looked at her sympathetically as well as Harry made funny faces at Chiaki who was staring quite adoringly at her godfather. She still had her glossy patch of black hair atop her head but her eyes had turned silvery grey like Malfoy's in the past few days.

"I really hope she starts easing into a sleep pattern soon," Cho said. "Honestly- I'm so glad I'm home all day and not have to work otherwise things would be a disaster."

"Maybe when I'm feeling better, you'll let me baby-sit," Hermione offered. "That way you can catch up on your sleep a little. I'd be glad to do it, Cho."

"I'm not above taking you up on that," Cho laughed. "I would appreciate it."

"I actually tried to reason with her the night before," Neville related to his friends. "I told her that daddy really needed her to go to sleep because Mummy and Daddy were knackered. And she cried even more..."

"Normally she quiets right up when Neville holds her," Cho said. "I thought she might even have colic but I took her to the doctor for a check-up and he said it was normal for her to cry a lot."

"Well, I'd say our daughter was beyond normal then," Neville said with a laugh.

Harry laughed. "She seems just fine with me," he boasted.

"He always could charm the ladies," Neville joked.

Harry's smile widened. "Very true," he said. "Looks like I haven't lost my touch either," he and Neville laughed as Hermione and Cho rolled their eyes.

"And you certainly haven't lost your large ego, either," Hermione said.

Cho laughed loudly. "Hermione, have you got any tea? I'm dying for a cup."

"Certainly," Hermione said, glad for an excuse to go to the kitchen to get some seltzer water to settle her stomach. "I'll go and put the kettle on."

"I'll help you out," Cho said. "It's so much easier to get up these days," she said happily.

"I can't believe how great you look," Hermione commented as they entered the kitchen. "I certainly wouldn't know you just had a baby."

"Thanks," Cho said. "I tell you though, one good thing came of all that weight," she turned to the side. "Check these out! Neville's certainly been enjoying them when we have ten minutes to lie down and play around." she grinned mischievously.

Hermione laughed. "One of the fringe benefits, eh?"

"Aye," Cho agreed, taking the tea kettle and filling it with water. "So what's this about you having a stomach bug?"

Hermione poured herself a glass of seltzer water and sat down at the table. "I wish I knew. I've not been able to shake it though."

"What's been wrong?" Cho asked. "I mean... have you had a fever or anything?"

"Just the first day," Hermione replied with a shrug. "But I think it was just from throwing up..."

"How many times have you thrown up?" Cho asked.

"Every day this week actually," Hermione answered, before taking a sip of her water. "Some days are much better than others though."

Cho stared at her.

"What?" Hermione asked, pulling a confused face. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Hermione..." Cho took a deep breath. "All right..." she lowered her voice. "I'm not trying to scare you here... but these are almost exactly what my symptoms were when I found out I was pregnant."

"PREGNANT?" Hermione asked, louder than she'd wanted to.

"Shhhh!" Cho said but it was too late, for Harry and Neville appeared in the doorway.

Hermione froze as Harry looked at her quizzically.

"What... Hermione... is there something you're not telling me?" Harry asked, still holding Chiaki in his arms.

"No," Hermione said quickly. "Of course not. Um...Cho was just showing me her, um...new cleavage from the pregnancy and I was just amazed that she got it from being pregnant. That's all."

Neville nodded and turned a snicker into a cough, while Harry still looked unconvinced. Cho sighed. "Hermione..."

"Shouldn't that tea be ready yet?" Hermione asked, getting to her feet.

"Hermione," Harry said now, handing Chiaki back to her father.

"Don't we still have some of those biscuits?" Hermione asked, avoiding his gaze. "I imagine they'd be really great with some tea."

"Are you pregnant?" Harry demanded.

"NO! Of course, I'm not," Hermione said, but wondered if this was true. She and Harry had always been careful, but there was that one time a few months ago when she'd forgotten about the charm.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked.

Neville looked uncomfortably at his wife. This wasn't a conversation meant for them to hear. "Cho, perhaps we should take the baby home now?"

Cho nodded. "We'll owl you later all right?" she placed a hand on Hermione's arm. "We need to have a talk if..." her unspoken words hung in the air.

Hermione nodded and watched as her two friends walked out of the kitchen. A few moments later, Hermione heard the door shut. She and Harry were alone. "Did you still want some tea?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

"Don't avoid this," Harry's eyes were narrowed. "Hermione... why wouldn't you have told me that you might be pregnant?"

"Maybe because I'm not?" Hermione asked sarcastically. "And why are you interrogating me?"

"Because this could bloody change our lives!" Harry exclaimed.

Hermione sighed. "I just have a stomach bug, Harry. I'm not pregnant. It's not possible."

"Why is it not possible?" Harry asked.

"Because we've been careful," Hermione said a little unconvincingly.

"It takes both sides of that charm," Harry said, his eyes boring into hers. "Have you forgotten?" He reached over to take her hands. "Hermione... please don't turn away from me."

"So I guess it was all my responsibility...is that what you're saying?" she asked him angrily. "It was all up to me. So, if I am pregnant, it would be my fault and my fault alone? Is that what you're saying?"

"No," Harry forced himself to stay patient. "It's not your fault..." he let out a breath. "If, IF you are pregnant... a lot of things will change but we'll make do." he reached out to touch her cheek. "I'd never leave you, you know that."

Hermione softened. "I know. And I just forgot that one night, Harry. It… was a few months ago, one of those nights in November after your training was so bad and you wanted a massage…”

Harry nodded. "Well... our next step is finding a trustworthy mediwizard who wouldn't blab this to the media." he pulled her over gently to sit on his lap.

Hermione nodded and felt tears welling up in her eyes. Sure, they'd talked about one day having a family, but it was much too soon for that.

Harry noticed her tears and hugged her. "It's okay sweetheart," he said. "I promise we'll work something out if you're pregnant."

"I hadn't even considered that I could be until Cho said something," Hermione said, resting her head on his shoulder as he held her. "But it all makes sense, doesn't it?"

"Yes, a bit," Harry replied. "Except for that fever you were running that first day you got sick..." he sighed. "I wonder if I should owl the hospital or just go over there."

Hermione shrugged. "I was thinking I could just go see my dad, but he'd probably have a heart attack if he knew..."

Harry grimaced as he thought of an angry Robert Granger. "And I know who he'd be coming to kill," he said.

Hermione wanted to tell him that was rubbish, but she knew Harry was right. Robert would be beyond angry if he knew there was even a slight possibility she was pregnant. "Maybe you could run to the chemist and get one of those Muggle pregnancy tests?" Hermione suggested.

"Well what if it DOES come up negative? Then we're right back at square one," Harry replied. "If we go to the mediwizard, he or she will be able to tell us what's wrong."

"You're right," Hermione said. "I hadn't thought of that..."

"Let me go send them an owl," Harry squeezed her hand. "Maybe if I pull a few strings they can get us in right away."

"Are you sure it's a good idea to send an owl?" Hermione asked. "What if it was intercepted?"

"I can just go over there," Harry nodded. "You're right- we don't live far away."

Hermione didn't say anything. She still wondered why he didn't want her to get a Muggle pregnancy test. While it was true that they'd be back at square one not knowing what was wrong with her, at least she'd have peace of mind about this.

She got off Harry's lap as he stood up. "I'll come back and get you if there's the off chance they can fit you in today," he said. "Otherwise, no need to risk attention by both of us going in there."

"Fine," Hermione said absently. She walked out of the kitchen and curled up on the sofa, pulling a blanket around her.

Harry looked in on her as he tugged his cloak on. "Do you... need anything before I go?" he asked.

"No," she said softly. "I'll be okay...just go."

Harry felt like something more than the situation at hand was wrong with her but he simply nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can." he said.

As soon as Hermione heard the front door shut behind him, the fresh set of tears she'd been holding off fell freely down her cheeks. This couldn't be happening, she thought to herself, not now. It wasn't supposed to happen now. It was supposed to happen later when they'd both finished up school and training, respectively. If there was any bright lining to this, at least her parents didn't know and wouldn't know until she knew for sure. What would they think? She shuddered to imagine her father's reaction.

A half hour later, Harry sighed in frustration and accepted the soonest available appointment, which was three days away. "Are you absolutely positive--" he began.

"Yes, I'm afraid so," the receptionist replied.

"All right," Harry finally gave up and took the slip of parchment. "Thanks for helping me out." he left St. Mungo’s.

He kicked a rock along the pavement as he walked back to Horizon Alley. He knew Hermione was upset about this, and a part of him was upset too but another part of him was excited at the thought that sometime in the next year, there was a possible chance of him becoming a father.

After she'd finished crying, Hermione turned the television on trying to get something to take her mind off what was happening, but she wasn't really paying attention. She didn't even flinch when she heard the front door opening.

"Sorry that took me so long," Harry came into the room a few minutes later. "Earliest I could get you in is Wednesday..."

Hermione lifted her head and stared back at him in disbelief. "Wednesday? I'm supposed to wait until Wednesday?" she asked him, shaking her head.

"I know," Harry dropped down on his knees next to the sofa. "I tried everything I could think of to get in sooner..."

"I still think you should go by the chemist and get one of those Muggle tests, Harry," Hermione said. "At least we'd know..."

"What do Muggles know about tests?" Harry asked. "Honestly, those things aren't accurate!"

"And how would you know that?" Hermione asked crossly. "Had much experience with them, have you?"

"No," Harry replied. "And don't look at me that way. I know Wednesday seems a long time off but I just think we're better waiting until we can find out everything at once."

Hermione nodded, but she didn't see why he wouldn't budge of getting one of the Muggle tests. Well, she wasn't about to wait until Wednesday. She'd just go herself tomorrow to the chemist's and pick one up herself.

"In the meantime," Harry said. "This gives you a chance to make me run around and get you anything you want." he tried to lighten the mood.

Despite herself, Hermione couldn't help but smile. She knew he was just as worried as she was. "Would you just...sit here with me and hold me? That's all that I want right now."

Harry smiled. "Of course I will. That's actually what was I hoping to hear," he slid in behind her as she sat up and pulled her blanket up as she leaned back against his chest. "I love you," he kissed the side of her head. "And no matter what those test results are..."

"We'll deal with it together," she finished for him.

28. Chapter 28

A/N: Hi all, sorry again to the no replies on the previous chapter, I (Heaven) was going to do it today and I got a monster of a headache that STILL isn’t gone :(

Some good news, this story is now finished and it clocked in at over 800 pages. We’ll still be doing two chapter a week updates though so stick around for those.

Anyways, this Saturday we WILL resume replying to reviews so please leave one. Thanks :)

Luna pulled her cloak tighter around her as she watched Ron try and get Paddington to learn how to use the bathroom outside. They'd been watching television when Paddington began to pee on Ron's leg and he'd quickly grabbed the dog and led him outside. "Ron, I don't think he has to go anymore," she pointed out.

"Yeah but he's got to figure out that he has to hold it until we can get him out here!" Ron said, eyeing his wet trouser leg in disgust.

"It's freezing out here," Luna said, looking sympathetically at Paddington. "And I know he didn't mean to do that...."

"I know it too," Ron sighed as Paddington looked at him with his large dark eyes. "All right, inside we go..." the dog scampered ahead of him into Luna's waiting arms.

"I'm sorry the mean old man took you outside in the cold," Luna said in a baby voice to the dog. "Mummy wouldn't do that to you."

Ron glared at her. "So you just let him pee wherever he likes in the flat?"

"No," Luna said. "He usually lets me know when he wants to go and I take him outside." When she saw the look of disbelief on Ron's face, she laughed. "Look at it this way, it probably means that Paddington likes you. He's marking his territory, as it were..."

Ron shook his head. "Well he already bloody knows I like him otherwise he'd be back at the shop I bought him from..."

Luna opened the door and let Paddington down. She and Ron took off their cloaks and headed back into the living room. "Speaking of you liking him, would you mind watching him for me when I'm in Boston?" she asked as she and Ron sat on the sofa.

"Of course I don't mind," Ron said as he used his wand to clean off his trousers. "Mum said we can keep him at the house."

"I wish I could take him with me," Luna said wistfully as she cuddled up against Ron. "But, I'll be keeping such odd hours; I wouldn't be able to care for him properly."

"It's not a problem," Ron pulled her closer as Paddington jumped up on their laps. "I wish I could go with you. I miss you when you're not here."

"I'll miss you, too," she said softly. "But, just think of how much fun we'll have when I get back. Absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder."

"And I heard Brighton makes the heart grow fonder too," Ron nudged her shoulder as he kissed underneath her ear. "When you get back we're definitely picking a weekend for that."

"Definitely," Luna promised. "I am really sorry about postponing it."

"It's all right," Ron replied.

Luna watched as Paddington pounced on her lap and she patted him playfully. "You should see Michael. I've never seen him so excited. He keeps asking me which of his cameras he should bring with him. He couldn't make up his mind so he decided to bring all of them."

Ron smiled. It was times like this when it was just the two of them that he felt better about Luna's possible new job. He still didn't want her to be in Boston, but he swallowed those selfish feelings and put on a brave face. "I'm glad you both are still friends," he said instead.

Luna smiled. "I am too. I think if you got to know him, you might really like him, too. You have a lot in common, actually."

"You should have him come out sometime with us," Ron said charitably. He held no ill will towards the other bloke- after all, he was the one Luna had come back to.

Luna was pleasantly surprised at Ron's offer. She was glad that he wasn't being the stereotypical jealous boyfriend. "I think that would be lovely."

Ron smiled at her as he stroked her hair. "I love when you smile at me like that," he said.

Luna beamed at him. "You make it easy when you're being so sweet."

Ron laughed. "Don't tell the guys or I'll never hear the end of it."

Luna kissed him. "Well, we wouldn't want to ruin...” she said, kissing him again. "Your reputation, would we?"

"Hmmmmm...." Ron slid his hands into her hair as they kissed deeply, Paddington still staring up at them. "No we wouldn't."

Luna fell back onto the sofa and brought Ron down on top of her. She touched his cheek. "I love you so much," she said softly. "I always have..."

"I love you too," he replied. "I still wish I'd paid more attention to you back in school..."

"Ron," Luna said with a laugh. "That was ages ago. You're not the same person you were back then."

"Thank goodness," Ron joked. "But you're one amazing woman Loony Lovegood, and I'm glad you love me."

"If you keep calling me Loony," Luna said seriously, "I might have to do this..." She reached up and tickled Ron on both sides of his waist.

Paddington barked as Ron laughed. "This means war you know," his blue eyes twinkled at her.

"You wouldn't dare," Luna countered with a grin. As Ron waved his fingers at her. "Ronald..."

Ron nearly went in for the kill, but instead pulled her to him for a long kiss.

When they breathlessly pulled away from each other, Luna gave him a look of mock indignation. "You tricked me."

"And it worked like a charm," Ron grinned.

Luna leaned in for another kiss, but the telephone rang. "Hold that thought..." she said, smiling at her boyfriend as she answered the telephone. "Oh, hello, Cho. How's the baby?"

Ron leaned back as Paddington crawled up over his stomach. "If you pee on me again you little bugger, you're going to be tied up outside." The dog looked at him, his head cocked a bit to the side. "Damn it, you're too cute to stay mad at." he scratched between Paddington's ears.

Luna's mouth fell open at what Cho had just told her. "Pregnant...do you really think she is?"

"What?" Ron sat up. "Who's pregnant?"

Luna mouthed the name "Hermione" to him, as she listened to Cho.

Ron's jaw dropped open. Hermione was pregnant? Harry was going to be a father?

"Uh-huh...well, I can't imagine what they must be going through...yeah...okay...of course, I'll keep this quiet....give my best to Neville....alright, bye." Luna hung the phone up and stared at Ron. "Hermione might be pregnant," she said dazedly.

"Might be?" Ron asked. "Shite!"

Luna nodded. "Cho was over at Harry and Hermione's this morning. Apparently, Hermione's been ill the past week and Cho said she felt the same way when she was pregnant. They left when Harry and Hermione started talking about it, though."

"Think we should go over there?" Ron absentmindedly began scratching between Paddington's ears again.

"They probably need to be alone," Luna said, sitting back down beside him on the sofa. "I wonder what she must be going through."

"No kidding," Ron shook his head. "I can't picture Harry as a father."

"I imagine he's having trouble picturing it himself," Luna commented.

"And Hermione- I know we haven't known her as long but I don't think she's ready for a step like this." Ron added as the dog crawled up his chest.

Luna nodded in agreement. "I just hope the Daily Prophet doesn't hear about this. I can just imagine what spin they'd try to put on all of it."

"I know," Ron said grimly. "Guess you'd better keep that quill handy," he said.

"Always," Luna said. She settled back into Ron's embrace as they both watched the television again. She couldn't speak for Ron, but she certainly didn't feel like making love anymore…at least for tonight. Nothing like hearing your friend may be unexpectedly pregnant to kill the mood, she mused silently.

Paddington was looking up at his owner, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as his glance switched to Ron. "What do you want fellow?" Ron asked, laughing as the dog licked his fingers.

Luna recognised that look in Paddington's eyes. "Ron, " she began, but it was too late. "I'm sorry..."

Ron groaned. "Come on you..." he pulled the dog back to the door.

Luna giggled as she followed her boyfriend out the door, grabbing his cloak and hers. That was the great thing about dogs; they always knew when you needed to laugh.

*** *** ***

“I’ll be right there!” Harry called up the stairs. Hermione had woken up sick as could be again that morning and Harry had taken the opportunity to owl in sick to training and send a note to her professor as well. She hadn’t been especially happy that he had taken the initiative, but on her third trip to the loo Hermione had been too weak to argue.

He was now bringing her some dry toast and the ginger ale that he’d run out to the shops for that morning, hoping it would help calm her down enough to maybe get some sleep.

When Harry came into the bedroom carrying a tray of food, Hermione groaned. "Harry, I don't think I should eat anything."

"You don't have to now," Harry replied. "At least try to drink this though- it was the only thing the Dursleys would let me have when I had a stomach ache and it always helped calm me down. The toast will stay warm, I put a charm on it for you."

She nodded and watched as he set the plate of toast down on the nightstand. He handed her the glass of ginger ale and she took a small sip. "Thanks," she said, handing him the glass.

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. "I wish there was something I could do for you," he pressed his lips to her forehead.

"You've taken good care of me," she said, giving him a weak smile. "I hate being sick. I feel like a bloody invalid."

Harry stroked her hair comfortingly. "Everyone gets sick, even brainy know it alls such as yourself," he grinned as she let out a small laugh.

"I really do appreciate you staying with me," she said, stroking his hand. "I feel better just knowing you're here."

"Good," Harry said wryly. "I was worried that I would drive you mad by sticking around here all day."

"It's still early yet," Hermione teased, picking up the glass and taking another sip.

Harry smiled as she set the glass back on the nightstand. "I'm going downstairs to get some reading done," he said. "Unless of course you want me to stay up here with you."

She shook her head. "I'm going to try and get some sleep actually."

"Good," Harry kissed her on the forehead again. "Let me know if you need anything."

She yawned as he pulled the covers taut around her. "Thanks, Harry."

"Anytime love," he said. He watched her drift off to sleep for a few moments and then left the room, closing the door almost all the way behind him. He lit a fire in the living room downstairs and settled down with his Auror texts. He was just getting into the current assignment when a knock at the door startled him.

Lavender knocked on the door again. She knew they were both home. They had to be.

Harry yanked it open with his free hand, his wand occupying the other. "Lavender what are you doing here?" he greeted her.

"Is it true?" she asked, brushing past him and into the house.

Harry groaned. "Cho's been doing what she does best has she?" he said angrily.

"She brought the baby into the shop today and told me," Lavender explained. "I can't believe Hermione didn't tell me first!"

"That's because it might not be true!" Harry said. "And I'll thank you to keep your voice down, Hermione finally just fell asleep."

"Sorry," Lavender said softly. "So the two of you haven't found out yet?"

"We couldn't get in to anyone at St. Mungo's until Wednesday," Harry explained.

"Why don't you just get a Muggle pregnancy test?" Lavender asked.

"Because those things are unreliable," Harry replied.

"That's how Cho found out she was pregnant, right?" Lavender pointed out. "And I always heard they were like 99.9 percent accurate or something like that."

Harry sighed. "You know... I hadn't even thought of that." he rubbed the back of his neck. "Have you got a few minutes to stick around here while I run to the chemist?"

"Sure," Lavender said, taking off her cloak. "I'll just watch some telly."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "I won't be gone long." he grabbed his Muggle coat and ducked out of the cottage. At the chemist, he grabbed two different kinds of tests, thinking to himself that it was a sure fire way of telling them if she was pregnant or not, and dashed home in record time.

Lavender looked up in surprise when she heard the front door open. "Harry? You weren't even gone ten minutes."

"Yeah... I can run fast." Harry said sheepishly. "Has she woken up at all?"

Lavender shook her head and stood up from the sofa. "If Uncle Robert knew about this," she said quietly, her voice trailing off. When she saw the irked expression on Harry's face, she frowned. "I'm certainly not going to tell him. Just keep Cho away from him and you should be okay."

"I should hope Cho would know not to bloody say anything to him, but if you see her before I do tell her not to." Harry said.

"Of course," she said, putting on her cloak. "Everything will be alright, Harry."

"I hope so," Harry replied. "Look, thanks for stopping by. Hermione will be glad you got me to buy these for her."

"Let's just hope you get the result you both want," Lavender said giving him a peck on the cheek before leaving.

Harry smiled at her retreating back. He went back to his books and read for a good solid hour and a half before he heard Hermione get out of bed upstairs.

Hermione didn't bother with her robe when she crawled out of bed. She had no idea where it was and didn't really have the strength to go looking for it. She hadn't even made it to the bathroom when she heard Harry come breezing into the bedroom.

"I'm glad you're awake." he said.

"I didn't really sleep much," she admitted. "I was just going to take a shower and see if that would help me feel better."

"Well... Cho's been telling all our friends about your current possible situation," Harry replied. "Lavender came by a few hours ago."

"Oh please tell me she hasn't," Hermione said frowning. "I would have thought she'd have known better."

"I would have thought so too," Harry said. "But you CAN thank your cousin for this," he handed her the bag.

She peeked inside the brown paper bag and saw two Muggle pregnancy tests. "But, I thought you wanted to wait until Wednesday..."

"Lavender reminded me that I got Cho a Muggle pregnancy test and look what came of that..." Harry smiled at her. "Besides... I know you wanted one and I was just being silly stubborn me."

Hermione grinned. "But why did you get two?"

"Just being on the safe side," Harry said. "You can do one or both, it doesn't matter I suppose..."

Hermione nodded. "Good thinking. I should probably do both so we'll be completely sure. You can't always tell from one. At least, that's what I heard." She took the two boxes from the bag and handed the empty bag to Harry. "I guess I'll go and do this now then, okay?"

"All right," Harry nodded, suddenly nervous.

Hermione gave him a small smile. “Will you wait out here?” she asked.

“Sure,” Harry was relieved she didn’t want him in the bathroom with her while she took the tests. She closed the door behind her and Harry sat on the bed, releasing a deep breath he hadn’t realised he was holding.

He paced in front of the door for what seemed like an hour. Harry resisted calling out to Hermione several times to hurry up, knowing she wouldn’t deliberately hold the results from him.

Hermione placed the four test strips (the boxes came with two tests apiece and she had just decided to take them all) on the counter. She opened the door and Harry rocketed off the bed.

“Well?” he asked, chewing nervously on a nail.

“We have to wait a minute and a half for the test results to show up,” Hermione said her voice calmer than she actually felt.

“Oh,” Harry replied, his shoulders slumping a bit.

“I thought you might like to wait with me,” Hermione’s cheeks went slightly red. “I'm sort of nervous…”

“Me too,” Harry pulled her close.

“I mean… if I am… you know… then we’re going to have to make some big changes.” Hermione buried her face in Harry’s shoulder.

“I know,” Harry replied. “I know we were both thinking about this when Cho had Chiaki… but I didn’t think we’d be facing this sort of situation so soon.”

“Me either…” Hermione closed her eyes as a smaller wave of nausea passed over her. Luckily it wasn’t bad enough for her to pull away from him to use the toilet. They stood together in silence for another few minutes.

“Okay…” Hermione felt her heart start to beat faster as she looked up at Harry. “They should be ready by now.”

Harry gulped as they both moved over to look at the counter where she’d laid the strips. “What do they mean?” he asked.

Hermione picked up the instruction pamphlet that came with the tests and read aloud, "If the strip is blue, the test is positive. If it is white, the test is negative."

"Is that for both tests?" he asked.

Hermione nodded and looked down at the strips. She stared in disbelief. "This can't be right," she whispered. "You're seeing what I'm seeing right?"

"These two are blue, and these two are white..." Harry said. "How the... bloody fuck can that be?" he swore with frustration.

"I-I followed the instructions completely," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I did everything exactly like I was supposed to. And this is what I get? You've got to be kidding me!" She picked up one of the empty boxes and let out a hollow laugh. "Easy...accurate...dependable...," she angrily crumpled up the box and threw it at the wall.

Harry rubbed his temples, trying to squash the urge to tell her he had been right all along about these Muggle things. "Well..." he said but she held up a hand.

"Don't even say it," Hermione said trying not to lose it. "If you say you told me so I think I will completely lose it." Absently, she ran a hand through her hair. "I can't believe this! How am I supposed to continue my life as if nothing's wrong until Wednesday? I can't think about anything else. I can't do anything else. I just want to know. Why can't I just find out?" she asked, looking at him for answers which he obviously didn't have.

She couldn't take it anymore. Brushing past him, she went back into the bedroom and sank back onto the unmade bed.

Harry watched her go with a sigh as he swept all the pregnancy tests into the garbage. He went back out to the bedroom and was startled to find Hermione in tears.

"I-I can't stand not knowing...," she said as she wiped a tear from her cheek. "I want to know so I'll know what in the world I'm going to do..."

"Hermione," Harry sat down next to her. "You aren't in this alone, you know that."

She nodded, but didn't look up from her lap. "I'm scared, Harry."

He hugged her closely. "Everything's going to turn out fine..." he kissed the side of her head. "Did you want me to get another one of those tests for you? See what the results are on that one?"

She shook her head. "No...We’ll wait." She relaxed into his embrace and for the longest time, he just held her and let her cry.

*** *** ***

Gordon couldn't believe his luck. He'd come by Hermione's cottage right after his last class and to his delight found no one home. He used the key he copied to get inside and had spent the last hour looking through her belongings and pocketing some of her clothes. She'd need them when he took her away. Curiosity got the better of him and he'd snooped around in their closets, in their desks, in the kitchen, trying to find out more. He was upstairs in their bedroom when he heard voices downstairs.

"Are you feeling any better at all?" Harry asked a very slight edge to his tone.

Hermione nodded. She'd been somewhat quiet all evening despite Harry's best efforts to make her feel better. "I'm sorry, Harry..."

"It's not your fault," Harry replied. "This is all really frustrating for both of us."

Gordon tiptoed out of the bedroom. He wanted to hear what the two of them were talking about. Making sure he stayed out of sight, he peered at them from behind the railing.

"You've been great with me," she said apologetically. "You took me out to dinner and even stopped to get me ice cream, and I don't deserve it, Harry. I keep forgetting that you're just as on edge and worried as I am," she sat down on the sofa.

"Yeah I know," Harry sat down next to her. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Hermione leaned against him.

"Are you at all..." he paused a moment here. "Excited... that we could possibly be starting a family?"

Gordon froze. What did he mean 'starting a family’? Hermione wasn't...she couldn't be....

Hermione looked thoughtfully at Harry. "Do you want the truth?"

"Yeah," Harry said, leaning against the back of the sofa.

"Part of me thinks that this is too soon, of course," she said softly. "But when I really think about it...a part of me thinks about how great it would be? I can picture the three of us in the kitchen with you trying to feed her strained apples or something and she has it all over her face and..." her voice trailed off.

"Her?" Harry smiled. "You want a little girl of our own as well do you?"

She laughed a genuine laugh for the first time in days. "In my dreams, I always see us with a little girl for some reason."

Harry hugged her. "I imagine any little girl we had would look like you." he smiled.

"Let's just hope she doesn't get my hair," she joked. "Or yours, for that matter..."

Harry laughed and ran his hands through her soft strands. "I like your hair," he said. "I liked it even before you straightened it."

Gordon felt anger rising in him. Were they going to be having a baby? Was that why Hermione wasn't in classes today? She couldn't be having a baby. Not with Potter.

Hermione giggled. Her tone turned serious as she asked him a similar question to what he asked her. "So, how do you feel about it...us having a baby?"

"Well..." Harry wove their fingers together. "At first I was terrified but I think I could definitely grow used to the idea. Wait- scratch that, I know I could. I really may not have a choice."

Hermione smiled. "That's true, but it's good to know that we're on the same page. We'll be okay either way."

"Too right you are," Harry kissed her, relishing the feel of her lips on his. They hadn't done much in the way of snogging or shagging in the past week for obvious reasons.

Gordon felt sick to his stomach. This couldn't be happening. It took every ounce of willpower he had not to go downstairs and Avada Kedavra Potter for what he'd done to his sweet, innocent Hermione.

"I love you," Hermione said softly before leaning in for another kiss. "I've missed you."

Harry couldn't respond as Hermione had pressed her mouth firmly to his. He tugged up gently on her shirt, letting his fingers brush over her skin as he lifted it over her head. "I've missed you too," he finally said.

"No," Gordon whispered. He wanted to look away, but he couldn't.

Hermione whimpered softly as Harry kissed down the side of her neck. "Take me upstairs..." she commanded.

Gordon watched as Harry gathered Hermione in his arms and slowly made his way upstairs with her, kissing her the entire way. Gordon walked down the corridor and stood against the wall so he'd be out of sight.

If Harry had bothered to turn the lights on they would have both seen Gordon standing as close as he could to the wall but he was too involved in kissing his girlfriend to notice anything else. He barely made it to their bedroom and slammed the door behind them.

Gordon stood against the wall, wishing he hadn't come here tonight. He wouldn't have found out that Hermione was possibly expecting Potter's child. He wouldn't have had to see Potter kissing her and he wouldn't have had to see him take her into the bedroom to do Merlin knows what with.

He picked the bag of clothing he'd collected up and stood just outside their door listening to Hermione telling Potter how much she loved, wanted and needed him. "It should be me in there with you," Gordon said softly touching the door with his hand. "It should be me…"

He slowly walked away vowing that one day it would be.

*** *** ***

Lavender took a sip of her tea before turning back to her sketchpad. She was at Seamus's flat and they were working together- Seamus was storyboarding a script for one of his classes and she was sketching some new designs for Madam Malkin's.

She was hard at work when Seamus let out an exasperated sigh and shoved his papers away. "What's wrong love?" she asked.

"You don't want to hear about it," he answered gruffly. "Besides, you're busy with your own sketches."

"If you need help I can stop for a few moments," Lavender set her quill down.

"Drawing has never been one of my talents," he explained. "One of my roommates at Hogwarts, Dean Thomas...now he could draw. I can barely make a stick figure." He couldn't help grinning as Lavender giggled. "My storyboards are due for my next scene tomorrow and I...I have no idea what I'm doing."

"I guess it's your lucky night that I'm here then," she pulled the papers towards her. "What do you need drawn?"

He looked thoughtfully at her. "The next scene takes place in the forest. There's a lake...which those morons used to flood my set..." he said angrily. "Sorry, I sort of went off topic, didn't I?"

"Just a little," Lavender had learned to keep her humour and tone light when Seamus was in what she called his 'perfection mood'. "But it's okay," she smiled at him as she began to sketch a background of trees and a lake in the little boxes.

"It's really an important scene," Seamus explained. "The two leads will share their first kiss which will of course set into motion a chain of events which will drive the rest of the story."

"Sounds important," she replied, the pencil Seamus had been using to sketch moving fluidly across the page. "How's that?" Lavender asked a few minutes later. "Will your professors be pleased with that?"

Seamus looked over her shoulder and his mouth fell open as he looked at her sketches. "That's bloody brilliant, Lav!"

She bit her lower lip, basking in his praise. "Really?" she asked.

"Are you kidding me?" he asked her. "Compared to what I was doing, a four-year old could have done better. But, this---what you just did----is fantastic."

Lavender grinned. "I'm glad you like it," she was pleased. "Want me to fill in the backgrounds for the rest?"

"You wouldn't mind?" he asked.

"Of course not," she replied, already busily drawing in the boxes. "What did you do for these before this?"

"Remember what I told you about Dean? Well, he sort of helped me out a few times, but he's out of the country now and so I was sort of desperate," he explained.

"I see," Lavender giggled. "This will only take me a few minutes."

"Thank you," he said, kissing the top of her head before he sat back down opposite her. He took a look at her sketchbook. "How many designs do you plan on submitting?"

"As many as she wants to take," Lavender replied. "I figure I'm better off making more than she wants just to be on the safe side."

Seamus nodded. "Valentine's Day dances...I feel old all of a sudden. I can remember all of us trying to work up the nerve to ask girls to them."

"Did you go to many of those dances?" she smiled. "I remember finally being asked to one, in my fourth year, and I was so excited I couldn't eat all day."

He laughed. "We never got that bad, but I nearly threw up the first time I had to ask a girl out."

Lavender laughed. "You mean you weren't always this suave?" she teased.

He looked over each shoulder. "Suave? Me? I don't think anyone has ever used that adjective to describe me."

"Wonder why," she quipped.

"Very funny," he said throwing a kernel of popcorn at her. "I must not be too bad; I got you, didn't I?"

"That you did," Lavender smiled at him.

He watched admiringly as she continued to sketch. "So how are your aunt and uncle?" he asked, leaning back in his chair.

"They're fine," Lavender replied. "Staying busy, I hardly see them at all these days it feels like. Plus I've tried to steer clear of them until we find out about Hermione."

"They don't suspect anything?" Seamus asked.

"Only because Hermione hasn't come by," Lavender said. "I just told them she's gotten busy with her classes and that she'll see them when things calm down again."

"It must be murder on them not to know anything," Seamus said, shaking his head.

"Yeah... she's not taking it so well..." Lavender replied. "You heard about the pregnancy test results right?"

"That's really odd, isn't it?" Seamus asked. "What are the odds of two being positive and two being negative?"

"Who knows," Lavender shook her head. "It sort of makes me laugh if you really think about it, but if it happened to me I'd be furious."

"Yeah," he agreed. "Me, too." He watched as she put the finishing touches on the storyboards. "You're a lifesaver, Lavender. And the best part is I don't have to bribe Dean to do it anymore."

"You can bribe me instead," Lavender smiled coquettishly at him.

"Can I now?" he asked grinning at her. "What could I possibly have that you want?"

Lavender laughed. "Take a wild guess Finnigan," she teased.

"You want me to put out for some sketches, eh?" he asked, pretending to be offended. "What kind of bloke do you think I am?"

"Not a rabbit, thank goodness," she smiled.

He laughed. "No, not a rabbit." Pushing back from his chair, he stood and walked over to the other side of the table. "How about we take the negotiations to my bedroom then?"

"Hmmm..." Lavender pretended to consider. "Lead the way handsome." she extended her hand so he could help her up.

"Handsome and suave," he said, taking her hand and kissing her passionately. "I could definitely get used to that."

29. Chapter 29

A/N: Bit of a short one today guys, but it has the answer that most of you have been sitting on pins and needles for. Hope you all enjoy and please review!

Upon arriving at St. Mungo's, Hermione was given a set of forms to fill out before she saw the mediwizard. Had she not been so nervous about the appointment, she might have even teased Harry about how paranoid he seemed to be that someone would recognize them.

After she handed the forms over to the receptionist, she and Harry were shown to an examining room. "Someone will be in with you shortly," the receptionist said, giving Hermione and Harry a warm smile before leaving the room.

"Only a few minutes left," Harry said. "Hopefully we won't have to wait long."

Hermione nodded. She watched as Harry paced in front of the door. "Harry? Could you sit down, please? You're making me even more nervous than I already am."

"Sorry sweetheart," he said, sitting in a chair by the door.

Hermione sat back on the examining table. For the longest time, neither of them spoke. The silence wasn't helping her nerves any. "Say something," she said, looking at her boyfriend.

"I love you?" Harry asked.

She smiled. "I have you trained so well."

Harry laughed. "You think you do Granger."

"I know I do," she said, winking at him.

Harry was about to retort when the door opened and an older woman, her hair severely tied back in a bun, entered the room. "Harry Potter and Hermione Granger?" she asked crisply.

"Um, yes?" Hermione answered, sitting up straight.

"Wait a moment," Harry stepped in. "Before we start I want to make sure that everything said in this room stays in this room. Neither Hermione or I needs any media brought into this situation."

"Mr Potter," the woman replied. "I am a well trusted member of the St. Mungo's staff. Your personal pursuits are of no interest to me. Are we clear on this?"

She reminded Harry eerily of his old Professor McGonagall from Hogwarts. "Yes ma'am," he said, properly shamed into sitting back down.

Hermione stifled a laugh, mainly because she didn't want to set this woman off.

"Um, so how does this work exactly?" Hermione asked nervously as she watched the woman scribble something on her chart. "I've never done something like this before."

"I'm going to place several charms on you," the woman replied. "And from that I will draw my analysis."

"Oh, okay," Hermione said. "We, um, actually took a Muggle pregnancy test; actually we took four and the strangest thing happened. Two came back positive and two came back negative. And I was really upset about that. I even thought about taking the bloody makers of that test to court, but Harry said it wouldn't do any good."

When she saw the mediwitch staring at her, she gave a weak smile. "I'm sorry. I tend to babble when I get nervous."

"Quite all right," the mediwitch replied, smiling for the first time. "Now don't be nervous. These charms won't do a thing to harm you."

"So you'll know straightaway whether I'm pregnant?" Hermione asked softly.

"Yes," the woman replied.

Hermione looked over the woman's shoulder at Harry. "Can my boyfriend stay with me throughout the tests?" she asked.

"Certainly" the mediwitch replied. Harry cast a nervous look at Hermione as the woman began using a series of charms on his girlfriend.

Hermione sat up as straight as she could and closed her eyes as she listened to the mediwitch cast charm after charm. What this woman was about to tell them would change their lives.

"Well..." the mediwitch said after a quarter of an hour of charm casting. "I can tell you two things about your condition."

"Yes?" Harry asked, reaching for Hermione's hand. She gripped it tightly.

"I'm afraid you're not pregnant," the woman said. "I am sorry if you were hoping to be expecting. What you do have is a slow acting case of the Wizarding flu."

"W-wizarding flu?" Hermione managed to choke out as the words sunk in. "That's all?"

"That's all," the woman smiled.

"Oh," Hermione said, looking at Harry trying to gauge his reaction to this news.

Harry tried hard not to show his disappointment. "Well that's easily taken care of right?"

Hermione barely heard the mediwitch's instructions on how to treat the flu. She didn't even register the woman leaving the room until Harry squeezed her hand.

"Are you disappointed love?" he asked softly.

With her lower lip trembling, she nodded.

"Come here," Harry hugged her tightly. "It's all right... you said so yourself- we have plenty of time to have a baby," he said reassuringly.

"I know," she whispered, holding onto him as tight as she could.

Harry brushed away her tears and kissed her softly. "Come on- the mediwitch said to give you plenty of fluids and for you to rest." he took her hand. "There's also a charm you can use on yourself when the nausea hits, she said she'd have it written down for us at the desk out there."

“Okay,” Hermione sniffed back the remainder of her tears. “I guess I just got used to the idea that I might have a life growing inside me. I even imagined I could feel a baby kicking in there already,” she laughed. “How stupid of me right?”

“That’s not stupid at all,” Harry faced her, his hands on her shoulders. “I won’t lie and say I'm not a little disappointed but Hermione, we have a long time to have children.”

“You’re right, I know.” Hermione pulled her cloak on. “Can we just go home now?”

Harry nodded as he slid his arm around her shoulders when they left the room. At the desk, they retrieved the instructions on how to treat Hermione’s flu, then paid and left. The walk home was relatively silent and Hermione went straight to their bedroom to change when they arrived at the cottage.

He busied himself in the kitchen, making her some tea while Hermione got herself comfortable on the sofa with some of her schoolwork. “Are you planning on going to class tomorrow?” he asked.

“Probably,” Hermione replied. “I hate that I missed classes again.”

“At least you got all the homework that’s due so you can finish it,” Harry replied, coming in with the tea and some more toast on a tray for her.

“Right,” Hermione picked at the corner of the page as Harry set the tray down and summoned his own books to him. “Harry?”

“Yes?” Harry asked as he lit the fire.

“What would you be doing right now if that pregnancy test came out positive?” she asked softly.

Harry seemed surprised at her question. “I don’t know,” he said thoughtfully, sitting back down on the floor. “Probably be figuring out a way to tell your dad while keeping myself alive,” he joked and it made her laugh.

“I don’t know about that,” she smiled. “He might be excited at the prospect of grandchildren.”

“In the future, sure.” Harry smiled at her. “For now I'm satisfied with my head where it is thanks.”

Hermione laughed and leaned over to kiss him on the cheek. “I'm sorry I cried about not being pregnant,” she said softly. “You’re right, it doesn’t matter yet.”

Harry tucked her hair behind her ear. “It’s a good thing Wizarding flu isn’t contagious…” he said softly as he kissed her gently.

“Very good thing,” Hermione smiled against his lips.

*** *** ***

Hermione half heartedly copied notes from the board in front; she hardly registered a word the teacher was saying. She had been feeling better due to the charms but was still tired a good deal of the time.

Harry had backed off, offering his comfort when she wanted it but also giving her the breathing space she needed. They hadn’t told anyone outside their little circle of friends about her situation, hoping it wouldn’t go any further than that.

Out of the corner of his eye, Gordon watched Hermione. He was dying to know whether or not she'd found out if she truly was pregnant, but he couldn't ask her. If he did, she'd want to know how he knew and he couldn't very well tell her he'd broken into the cottage, could he? She was copying notes, but he could tell she was preoccupied. Over the past couple of days, he thought about what he could do to get her as his own. Originally, he thought of just convincing her that she was better off with him.

Potter's hold on her was strong, though. Stronger than he'd even imagined. And Gordon wasn't stupid. Hermione wouldn't willingly leave Potter's side.

Hermione jumped as the bell rang, signalling the end of classes. She began stuffing her books back into her bag, the thought of her warm bed at home a very inviting thought as this was her last class. She was almost out of the room when Gordon stopped her.

"Hermione," he said, putting a hand on her arm. "Is everything okay? You seemed a little preoccupied."

"Yeah... I've had a rough couple of days," Hermione gave him a wan smile.

He gave her a sympathetic smile. "Nothing too bad, I hope?"

"Just the Wizarding flu," Hermione replied quietly. "The mediwitch said I should be fine in another week or so."

"I heard that was going around," Gordon said, trying hard not to smile. So, she wasn't pregnant, he thought to himself. "I've never had it myself, but I hear it can really take it our of you..."

"That it does," Hermione shifted her bag on her shoulder. "Definitely not something I'd wish on my worst enemy."

‘Speak for yourself. I wouldn't mind wishing it on Potter.’ "So, I know this might be a bad time, but I was wondering when you wanted to get together for the Charms project? We should really get started soon, Hermione," he said, saying a silent prayer that she would say yes.

"Oh..." Hermione had forgotten about it. "Um... I'm not sure..." she would normally have said right away, but she honestly didn't think she could face any more schoolwork that evening.

"We don't have to get started tonight," he said quickly, sensing her hesitation. "I know you're still getting over the flu and all, but maybe this weekend?"

"Can we play it by ear?" she asked. "When is it due again?"

"Two weeks from Friday," he reminded her.

"Okay," Hermione thought hard. "So if not this weekend, next week I should really be back on my feet." She felt a sneeze coming on and was digging for a tissue when Gordon held one out to her. "Thanks," she said stuffily.

"No problem," he said grinning at her. "Well, I'd ask you for a coffee, but it looks as if you're ready to go home."

"Yeah, I just want to go home and kip," Hermione replied.

"If you need anything...anything at all, don't hesitate to ask," Gordon said, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Thanks Gordon," Hermione smiled. "I'll see you later all right?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Get better soon, eh?"

"I will," Hermione replied. She left, not noticing him watching her the whole way out.

Gordon watched her retreating figure all the way down the corridor. He was about to leave as well, but he'd forgotten his books inside. He walked back into the now empty classroom and saw his professor reading over something.

Gordon gathered his books and something from the lecture today stuck in his mind. Slowly, he walked toward the professor.

"Professor Raymond?" Gordon asked quietly. "Might I ask you something?"

"Of course Gordon," the professor said. "Anything for one of my best students."

Gordon set his bag down on the professor's desk. "I wanted to know more about that spell you discussed today, actually. I know you said it was one of myth, but I remember reading somewhere that it did have some logical basis..."

"The Adamo Infinitas spell?" Professor Raymond sat up straighter. "Well yes, it does have some logical basis, but that's a spell that can only be performed in one small area of the world, and no one has ever discovered where that area is, at least not to our knowledge."

Gordon nodded. "Has anyone ever narrowed it down to a particular area?"

"Not that I know of," Professor Raymond replied. "If someone had, there's no doubt in my mind that it would have been brought to light before now. The Adamo Infinitas spell is not to be taken lightly. It quite literally binds the two people it's cast upon together for as long as they're alive." he sat back and smiled. "But of course, since no one has discovered the location..."

"And legend tells us that once that spell is cast, no one can break it, right?" Gordon asked.

"That's what legend tells us, yes." Professor Raymond nodded.

Gordon knew it was a long shot, but this spell certainly sounded like the key to Hermione's heart. The only thing left to do now was to do some research on it and try to find out where this location was and if it did truly exist. He explained to his professor that he was thinking of doing an essay on the spell and to Gordon's delight, the professor scribbled the names of some books on a piece of parchment.

"Thanks, Professor Raymond," Gordon said, pocketing the paper. "This is just what I needed."

"Anytime Gordon," the professor smiled. "I look forward to reading your essay."

Gordon walked out of the classroom feeling much happier than when he'd walked in. Things were definitely looking up for him. He had a lot of work ahead of him, but he didn't mind. If you wanted something badly enough, you had to work for it. And he wanted Hermione. And he'd do anything...no matter how drastic...to get her.

*** *** ***

Harry returned to training for the first time in two days. He'd taken some personal leave due to Hermione's condition and he'd taken hell for it from Thackeray, but he didn't care. Hermione had needed him as he needed her and he wasn't about to leave her alone throughout all this.

He'd come to class early hoping to catch up with Neville on all that he missed. He passed Thackeray on the way to the classroom and sure enough his instructor made a snide comment about it being nice of Harry to join them today. Harry ignored him and walked into the room.

There were a handful of his fellow trainees standing about. Some were drinking coffee and others were just chatting. Harry spotted Neville in the back of the room.

"Hey," Harry said, taking a seat directly opposite his friend. "Thackeray is such an arse, Neville."

"Tell me about it," Neville replied. "We've been trying to think of ways to get him sacked."

"He made some shite remark about me staying out for two days," Harry said angrily. "Two bloody days."

"How's Hermione doing?" Neville asked quietly, knowing that topic would help Harry calm down.

Harry's entire demeanour softened at the mention of his girlfriend. "As well as can be expected. I know it kind of spooked us both at first, but we both started to look forward to it. And then to find out that we weren't..."

Neville smiled. "Well if you'd ever like to pretend for a weekend…" he kidded.

"I bet you have just the baby in mind?" Harry said with a laugh.

"I have pictures now," Neville reached for his pocket from which he pulled a long clear plastic picture holder. "We took her to a Muggle photographer, just for fun the other day."

Harry scooted his chair closer to Neville's desk to look at the pictures. With each picture, Neville's eyes would light up as he talked about his daughter.

"Look at you...the proud father," Harry teased. A couple of their fellow trainees came up to look at the photos as well. One of them was a brown-haired surly looking bloke named Matt who seemed to thrive on causing trouble. Harry hadn't liked him from day one. He had a feeling that Matt didn't come over here to look at the photos.

"Hey, Longbottom," Matt said, staring over Neville's shoulders at the photos. "Isn't that the kid that the papers said really belonged to Potter?"

"Watch it Smith," Harry said in a warning tone.

"Easy, Potter," Matt countered back. "I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm actually quite jealous. I mean not only do you have that fine piece of arse you're living with, you also shagged Longbottom's wife... nice work, my friend. Nice work..."

Neville got up so fast he knocked over his chair. "If you're going to keep shooting off your bloody mouth it's also going to be a bruised one," he said angrily. "That's my wife and good friend you're talking about!"

Matt sneered at Neville. As Neville's grip on Matt's collar tightened, Matt looked over Neville's shoulder at Harry. "Anyone else would have been kicked out of the program for missing as many days as you did, Potter. And everyone knows Longbottom here is riding along on your coattails."

Harry let out a guttural growl. "Neville's doing just fine on his own," he glared.

"You trying to say something here Matt?" Neville pushed him up against the wall.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE?" Thackeray's voice boomed over the din in the room. He pushed past the group of trainees who'd gathered around. His eyes fell on Neville. "Let go of him, Longbottom."

Neville glared at Thackeray but released Matt, who smirked back at him. Harry's hand was still clenched in a fist.

"Who started this?" Thackeray said, looking at all three men. "Potter?"

"Smith did," Harry replied tightly.

"I did not," Matt said, shaking his head. "Sir, I was just minding my own business when Longbottom here pulls out photos of his baby and we were all looking at them. I simply gave him a compliment and he railed at me."

"That's not true!" Neville said, his eyes turning stormy. "Your smart ass mouth--" he began but Thackeray interrupted him.

"Shut it, Longbottom," Thackeray said warningly. "Okay, as of today, you and Potter are on probation. One more infraction and you're both out. Smith, you write me four feet of parchment on defensive spells due tomorrow."

Harry and Neville looked at one another in disbelief as Matt smirked at them behind Thackeray's back. Harry opened his mouth to say something but shut it again at Neville's warning look.

"If you and Potter can control your tempers, I'd like to start class," Thackeray said. "Take your seats, everyone."

Harry slumped down in his chair next to Neville, who was putting his photographs away. "For once, I'd like to get the better of that git," he whispered bitterly.

"Kind of makes Snape look like a saint, doesn't he?" Neville whispered back.

"Tell me about it," Harry yanked his books out. This certainly wasn't what he'd expected when he signed up for Auror training. He caught Megan giving him a sympathetic glance and sent her a half smile in return.

The rest of the class went by in a bit of a blur as both Harry and Neville were clouded by their anger. Smith wasn't helping matters much either as every once in awhile he shot menacing glances in their direction, which was of course undetected by Thackeray.

Everyone was packing their things up for lunch when Harry saw Megan approaching him. "Hi Harry," she said, her voice a bit soft.

"Hi, Megan," Harry said with a wary slight smile.

"I wanted to say that I thought Thackeray and Matt Smith were really out of line today," she said. Once Megan had fallen for Chris she realised how silly she had been with her crush on Harry and now she found him much easier to approach and talk to.

Harry smiled. She wasn't so bad when she wasn't in obsessive mode. In fact, he'd noticed she'd been quite mellow in the past few weeks. "Thanks, Megan. I can't decide which one of the wankers I hate the most."

"I think Thackeray gets my vote. I told my uncle how bad he was but I don't know if it's done any good." Megan smiled at him.

"Yeah, well he seems to have it out for me," Harry said with a shrug. "I don't suppose there's anything I can do to change that."

"I guess not," Megan replied. "Well... have a good lunch break okay?"

"Yeah, you too," Harry said, smiling at her as she walked away. "Nev?" he asked, turning his attention back to his friend. "Remind me again why we're doing this?"

Neville shook his head. "I can't fucking wait until we're done with this course," he snapped.

"You and me both," Harry agreed. "You and I get put on probation and Smith has to write a fucking essay? I'm thinking of talking to Kingsley about this or Lupin, Neville."

"Who knows if it'll do any good," Neville replied gloomily.

"So we're supposed to sit here and take his smart-arse remarks and not say anything?" Harry asked. "With him, you and I could sneeze wrong and he'd expel us from the program." He shook his head. He didn't know what to do, but he did know one thing. If he didn't get out of headquarters, he was going to lose it. "Let's go to the pub," he suggested.

"Yeah, I could use a pint," Neville replied. “Or maybe four…”

Harry and Neville gathered up their belongings and headed out of the classroom. Matt Smith, though, had been waiting for them. He leaned lazily against a wall talking to one of his cronies.

"Hello, Potter," Matt called out sweetly to Harry. "And his faithful sidekick Longbottom. Watch out, Longbottom....Potter's coattails might get you kicked out of the program."

"You know, seeing as we're not in class right now, we're not under any rules by Thackeray," Harry said coldly. "I'd watch my step if I were you."

"We're still on headquarters, though," Matt pointed out gleefully. "And I don't know if you remember what Thackeray said, but you're on probation. It'd be a pity if you got into trouble again..."

Megan had just come out of the classroom with Chris; she saw Matt bothering Harry and Neville again and something inside her snapped. She marched up to him and slapped him hard across the face.

"Leave them alone!" she shouted. "Haven't you got anything better to do than bother people who want nothing to do with you?"

No one could say who was more stunned by Megan's actions. Harry and Neville stood open-mouthed at her while Matt, gingerly rubbed his cheek which now bore Megan's handprint. With a menacing look at Harry and Neville, Matt walked away in silence.

"Way to go, Reilly!" someone called out and Megan blushed.

"That was fantastic," Neville said, still in awe.

"That was bloody amazing!" Harry stared at Megan.

"Thanks," she said softly. Chris came up behind them and swooped her up in a hug.

"That's my girl," he said proudly.

Harry grinned at them. "We owe you for that one," he chuckled.

"Well, I knew you were about to hit him," Megan said, an excited grin on her face. "And I knew if you did, you'd be out...I didn't want that to happen. You belong here, Harry. You and Neville both belong here."

"At least someone thinks so," Neville replied. He shared a quick look with Harry. "Why don't you and Chris join us for lunch at the pub?"

Megan looked at Chris who nodded. "Okay, but you're buying..." she said cheekily.

"Not a problem," Harry said quickly.

30. Chapter 30

Author's note: We wanted to thank everyone for the reviews...we really do appreciate those even though we don't always get the opportunity to respond to them. I know some of you were upset to find out that Hermione wasn't pregnant---we toyed with both options and ultimately decided that this was the best way to go with the direction the story is heading. Gordon also makes another appearance in this chapter...remember, you've been warned.

Ron watched as Paddington settled his head on his large paws. He could tell the puppy missed Luna almost as much as he did. "Come on fellow," he said, scratching the chocolate lab between the ears. "She'll be back in a couple of days."

"Ron!" Molly called out to her son from the kitchen. "Ron! Come here quick!"

Ron jumped up and ran into the kitchen. "What is it Mum?"

Molly Weasley stood at the kitchen table, clutching something to her chest. Tears were shining in her eyes. "Your sister sent us a letter."

"Ginny sent us..." Ron's voice trailed off. "What does it say?"

Molly put her reading glasses on again and opened the letter. She read aloud, her voice cracking at certain points.

Hello everyone from sunny Australia!

I am sorry that I couldn't get home for Christmas. Because I'm one of the newer employees, I couldn't ask for time off so soon after starting. The hotel I work at is one of the most luxurious in all of Sydney. It’s hard work but it’s not bad, and it’s far more luxurious than Hillsdale.

I really like it down here- we went to the Golden Coast for a little holiday. Draco bought me a new swimming costume- it's gold and it looks fantastic on me.

Draco thinks I could one day be a model or an actress in one of those Muggle films. He really cares about me---the real me. You all wanted to make me fit some perfect cookie-cutter mould and that just wasn't me.

At this Molly looked up from the letter at her youngest son.

Ron took the letter from her, privately thinking what a wanker Draco Malfoy was.

I know you all probably still don't want anything to do with me after what I did at Hillsdale, but I really do sort of miss you all. Draco has been good to me, however, and it's helped with the bit of the homesickness I've gotten.

"It sounds as if he's treating her well," Molly said quietly. "I just find it hard to believe..."

"Yeah same here," Ron replied as Paddington edged his way into the room. He handed the letter back to his mother and scooped up the puppy, which was actually growing larger by the day.

"She, um, goes on to say that she's going to try and come home in July for a visit," Molly said, folding up the letter. "It'll be good to see her."

Ron didn't want to tell his mother that he doubted Ginny would be home then if ever. With the way she had behaved the previous summer he didn’t know if she would ever really change, especially being with Draco. The letter had obviously made his mother happy and he didn't want to dampen that.

Instead, he smiled at her. "Glad to hear she's doing well." he said non committal.

"Yes, she is," Molly said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She put a plate of biscuits on the table and watched as Ron happily took one. "So how about Luna? Have you heard from her since she left?"

"Not yet, but she's only going to be gone until Sunday evening," Ron said. "I don't expect her to owl at all, she's going to be so busy."

Molly filled a bowl with water and set it on the floor for Paddington. "I really do like her, Ronald. She's good for you."

"Yeah she is," Ron smiled.

"She's got a good head on her shoulders and she can hold her own with this family and not too many people can say that," Molly said with a laugh. "Do you remember that one girl you brought home that one time? One of those Patil girls? You brought her home once and we never saw her again."

"Yeah..." Ron shook his head. "Padma had one dose of Fred and George outside of school and that was it for her. Anyone who can't hold their own with those two has no place around here."

“Too right," Molly said. "And that Luna can give as good as she gets."

Ron laughed. "Too right you are Mum." he lifted Paddington up and fed him a biscuit. "This little guy misses her too."

"Almost as much as you do," Molly commented, petting the dog. She and Ron watched as the dog greedily devoured the another biscuit. "So have you got big plans for Valentine's Day?" Molly asked a few moments later.

"I'm thinking she and I can use that weekend in Brighton that Harry and Hermione gave us for that article Luna did on them." Ron replied.

"Very romantic," Molly said grinning at her son. "You're just like your father."

"What has dad done that's romantic?" Ron asked, giving Paddington another biscuit.

Molly rested her chin on her elbow as a dreamy expression came over her face. "Well, it's not always about doing something grand, is it? It's about the little things he does. Sometimes, he brings me flowers for no reason at all. Other times, he'll just sit outside with me on the swing and we'll watch the sun go down. Sometimes, it's just knowing he's there. In the grand scheme of things, it might not seem like much. But, to me, it means everything."

Ron smiled. "That's how Luna is too. She doesn't expect me to do big romantic things for her. It's like... when we were broken up and I went by her office to help her set things up. She told me after we got back together that that was part of what made her realise she wanted us to be together."

Molly began to tear up again. "That's so sweet, Ronald. So very sweet..."

Ron laughed. "And then I got her this little monster," he rubbed Paddington's ears and was rewarded by sloppy kisses.

"Who adores you," Molly said laughing.

"Yeah, cause he bloody pees on me all the time," Ron replied.

Molly chuckled. "I like having the little fellow around. You tell Luna anytime she needs us to watch him, we'll do it." She stood up from her chair. "And you tell that Harry Potter if he doesn't come see me soon I'm going to never speak to him again. He hasn't been by in ages, Ron."

"He's been busy," Ron replied. "His current trainer for being an Auror is a complete arse," he told his mother about Matt Smith egging him and Neville on and how they were on probation.

"Sounds about as bad as Severus Snape," Molly said indignantly.

"Worse," Ron grimaced. "Harry's almost quit Auror training, the lot of us had to convince him not to- told him it wasn't worth letting Thackeray get the better of him."

"He was born for that job," Molly said proudly. "I'll have to ask Arthur about this Thackeray chap."

"Yeah, apparently that one girl who used to fancy Harry was asking around about him too," Ron said, not letting his mother know about Megan's relation to Fudge. "And Harry's talked to Lupin as well.”

"Does Remus think he can do anything about it?" Molly asked.

"He's going to try," Ron replied. "It's a shame, he doesn't have as much pull as someone like Kingsley Shacklebolt, but they haven't been able to get a hold of him."

Molly nodded. She looked at her watch. "Ron, are you going to be staying for dinner?" she asked, getting to her feet. "Or do you have other plans?"

"I'll stick around if you don't mind," Ron said. "Everyone else has their own plans tonight."

Molly smiled. "I never mind having you here, you know that. It'll be just the three of us tonight. Three and a half if you include Paddington." She looked down adoringly at the dog, who was sitting at Ron's feet. "I'm kind of getting used to him. I might not want to give him back when Luna returns," Molly said with a smile.

Ron laughed. "She'd probably fight you for him. For some reason she absolutely adores this monster."

"I should have let you lot have a dog a long time ago," Molly said wistfully. "Would have been a lot better than that rat. If I had known he was really...," her voice trailed off and she shook her head.

"None of us knew," Ron said. "Least of all me... and I'm the bloody one who let him sleep in my BED!"

Molly shuddered. "It's best not to think about it." She was about to put her apron on to start dinner, but thought better of it. "I think I'll write back to Ginny before starting dinner," she said. "Anything you'd like to tell her?"

Ron thought for a moment. "Just tell her I said hi... I'll probably send her an owl of my own soon."

"She'd love that," Molly said, excusing herself from the kitchen, leaving her son and Paddington by themselves.

"Well little guy..." Ron said as Paddington jumped up on his knees. "Well... you're not so little anymore. "Bet you can't wait for your Mum to get home can you," he thought about Luna and he couldn't wait to see her either. "Maybe we'll surprise her when she gets back," he ruffled the dogs ears and thought that sounded like a most excellent plan.

*** *** ***

The following Friday found Lavender and Seamus walking toward Harry and Hermione's cottage. The two couples were going to have a nice evening in with dinner and a movie. Well, it was supposed to be one movie. Seamus had gone a little crazy in the video store and had rented six DVDs. Lavender had teased him that there was no way that they'd watch all six movies in one night, but Seamus said whichever ones they didn't watch tonight, they'd watch over the weekend.

"We really should have brought an umbrella," Lavender commented as they turned onto Horizon Alley. It had rained off and on all day and the forecast called for more.

"Ah, seeing you all wet couldn't be bad," Seamus grinned unashamedly at his girlfriend.

"I thought after the flood on set you'd be tired of seeing anything water related," she said, laughing.

"Just had to bring that up did you?" Seamus grumbled mildly. The rest of his week on set had gone smoothly, much to his surprise.

"Just teasing you," she said sweetly, as they came closer to the cottage, Lavender blinked. She thought she saw someone standing outside the door. Whoever it was they moved away from the door and started pacing across the porch. "Who is that?" Lavender asked, motioning in the direction of the cottage. "That's not Harry is it?"

"No," Seamus squinted. "Hair isn't messy enough..."

As if the person could feel he was being watched, he turned around. He pulled the hood of his cloak up, but not before Lavender could get a good glimpse at him. He looked very much like Hermione's study partner Gordon. "What is he doing?" she asked aloud.

"I have no idea," Seamus pulled on her arm. "Let's see where he goes..."

Lavender allowed Seamus to lead her closer and she saw Gordon peek into one of the windows. "He's a peeping Tom!" Lavender hissed.

"That's creepy," Seamus said. "What should we do?"

Lavender didn't know what to say or do. They watched him for another few minutes before the hooded person walked away.

She and Seamus stood there looking at his retreating figure before they both walked toward the cottage.

"I knew he was strange," Lavender said softly. "Now, I guess we have proof."

Seamus shook his head. "Harry's being awfully patient about the whole thing, despite what he's said. If this was happening to you I'd have booted the bloke out of here way before now."

"If he hears about this, I'm sure he'll do worse than boot him anywhere," Lavender commented as she and Seamus walked up the steps.

"Well we have to say something," Seamus replied.

"Definitely," Lavender said, ringing the doorbell.

Hermione answered it a moment later. "Hey you guys," she hugged her cousin and kissed Seamus on the cheek. "Glad you could make it!"

"We're glad you invited us," Lavender said, exchanging a look with Seamus. She was about to say something when Harry came into the room, wearing an apron. "Someone get a camera," Lavender teased. "The Boy Who Lived in an apron!"

"She made me wear it," Harry pointed to his girlfriend. "Told me if I didn't that she wouldn't sleep with me for a week!"

"As if either of you could go a week," Lavender joked, earning a stern look from her cousin.

"We have actually, if you must know," Hermione said. "Gone about a week without..."

Seamus coughed. "Right," he said hastily. "I think we can fill in the blanks here."

Lavender giggled as Seamus helped her out of her cloak. "Something smells delicious. Hermione obviously didn't cook."

Hermione glared at her. "Are you hungry or not?" she said, arms crossed. "Harry, tell them what WE made!"

Harry came up behind Hermione and wrapped his arms around her waist. "It was a team effort. By that I mean, she told me what to make and I made it," he said before nuzzling her neck.

Hermione turned and gave him a dirty look. "WE made fish and chips," she sniffed. "Here I am trying to cook and you all are taking the mickey out of me for it."

"We only tease you like this because we love you," Harry said, kissing her cheek. "It should be ready in a few minutes. I hope you got some good movies, Finnigan."

"Aye," Seamus said. "Lavender only let me get six." he grinned at her.

"And I had to drag him out or he'd have bought more," Lavender said, taking Seamus' hand and together they followed Hermione into the living room. Harry went into the kitchen to check on dinner.

Seamus dropped the movies next to the telly and went into the kitchen to help Harry, leaving Hermione alone with Lavender.

"So how have you been feeling?" Lavender asked her cousin.

"Much better, thanks," Hermione said, sitting down on the sofa. "Harry's been great..."

The blonde smiled. "Has he been waiting on you hand and foot?"

"Yes," Hermione laughed. "He even brought me breakfast in bed this morning."

"That's so sweet," Lavender replied.

"Yeah," Hermione said dreamily. "But enough about me. How are those designs going? I keep meaning to stop in and see you at the shop."

"They're fantastic!" Lavender grinned. "Every time Madam Malkin puts up another one someone buys it... I'm making some really decent commissions off it all!"

Hermione beamed at Lavender and gave her another hug. "I'm so proud of you, Lavender!"

"Thanks," Lavender grinned. "Sooner or later I'll be able to afford a place like this and move out too." Harry called out that dinner was ready and Hermione and Lavender walked into the kitchen.

Hermione slid in next to her boyfriend. "I'm starving," she said. "It feels like ages since I've eaten anything really good."

"Hello? I made you French toast this morning," Harry said, affronted. "Not the frozen kind, either."

"And that feels like ages ago," Hermione kissed him on the cheek. "But honestly, after being sick for so long it just feels like I haven't eaten anything that has taste to it..."

Lavender raised her glass of wine. "Well, here's to feeling better, living well and eating good."

Everyone toasted and dug in, Lavender and Seamus especially enjoying the meal. "Harry... I really had no idea you were this good of a cook," she said.

Seamus groaned. "Don't compliment him, Lav. That'll just go to his head."

"Hey!" Harry replied. "Why are you all picking on me?"

"So its okay when everyone's picking on me, is it?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow at him before bursting into giggles. This was the most fun she'd had in quite some time.

"Well I can defend you," Harry said, a goofy grin on his face.

Hermione grinned back at him as Seamus whispered something to Lavender. Hermione saw her cousin's expression turn serious and she wondered what was wrong. "Lavender?" Hermione asked. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh... yes of course... um I'm just curious if you've seen your friend Gordon lately," Lavender said, shooting a look at Seamus.

Hermione gave her a quizzical look. "I saw him in class today, why?"

"But he wasn't over this afternoon?" Lavender asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No, why?"

"Well..." Seamus took over. "When we were coming up the alley, we saw him in front of your place."

Hermione felt Harry tense up beside her. "Are you sure?" she asked her cousin. "He had plans with his girlfriend tonight, Lavender."

"Well it certainly looked like him," Lavender replied. "He was standing on your porch, and then he pulled his collar up and then looked in your window."

Hermione stared at Lavender. "Lavender, I'm sure you were mistaken. Gordon's out with Skylar tonight. I'm sure he wasn't lurking around outside."

Lavender shrugged. "Hermione, I'm just telling you what Seamus and I saw..."

"I know you are," Hermione said, reassuringly. "And I'm not doubting what you say you saw. I just don't think it was Gordon." She turned to Harry. "It is kind of creepy that someone was lurking outside, though," she said.

Harry was sure Lavender and Seamus were right. "Yeah, it is," he answered, trying to keep his voice from sounding short.

"Maybe we should put some extra wards on the cottage?" Hermione suggested.

"Sounds like a good idea," Harry grunted. 'It's official, I hate Gordon Devereaux,' he thought angrily.

"Um, why don't you ladies go in the living room and let Harry and I clean up in here," Seamus suggested. "We'll bring dessert out to you."

Lavender knew Seamus wanted to talk to Harry about what they'd seen and he obviously couldn't do it in front of Hermione. Grabbing Hermione's hand, she led her cousin out of the living room.

Seamus watched Harry. Living with him as he had at Hogwarts, he knew when his friend was angry. He could almost hear the wheels turning in Harry's head.

"So..." Seamus began.

"I don't get it," Harry said furiously. "He's taken to spying on us now! I don't bloody care what that wanker thinks of me but if he believes for one minute that he can take Hermione away..."

"I'm fairly certain it was him, Harry," Seamus said quietly. "I mean it was dark, but Lavender's pretty sure, too."

Harry sighed as he dumped their dinner dishes in the sink. "She doesn't see that he fancies her. I know Cho and Lavender have both mentioned it to her but she waves it off like it's nothing."

"How could she not see it?" Seamus asked shaking his head. "At the wedding, his eyes never left her, Harry."

"I saw it as well as you did," Harry replied.

"Have you tried talking to her about it?" Seamus asked. "Hermione's really smart. I can't believe she can't see how into her he is."

"I think we've all tried. I guess it's going to come down to Gordon exposing himself for who he really is to her." Harry turned and pulled out their dessert, which was the only other thing Hermione could make, rice pudding. "But if he hurts her I'll bloody kill him."

Seamus nodded. He'd feel the exact same way if some bloke thought about doing the same to Lavender. He helped Harry bring their dessert into the living room and settled down beside Lavender on the sofa. Harry joined Hermione on the floor where she'd set out some throw pillows.

"Everything okay?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Just fine," Harry faked a smile at her which turned genuine as she leaned against him. He kissed the side of her head. "Still feeling all right?"

"Better every day," she said happily. "Thanks for taking such good care of me."

"Anything for you," Harry laid back on one of the pillows. "All right Finnigan, what did you bring us for entertainment?"

"Nothing with blood and guts please," Lavender said. She'd not seen three of his selections because she'd been gone next door to look in at one of the shops while he'd finished up. "Something sweet and romantic."

Harry made a face. "I'd rather have the blood and guts," he replied, laughing at Lavender's dirty look.

"Sweet and romantic," Lavender said, smiling flirtatiously at Seamus. "Come on, Hermione. Back me up on this!"

Hermione laughed. "How about a drama?" she asked.

Lavender nodded. "I can go along with that. Okay, Seamus... what have you got?"

Seamus looked through the bag and pulled a movie out and handed it to Lavender. "How about this?"

"The Wedding Singer?" she asked. "Comedy is much better than blood and guts. I vote yes."

"Sounds good to me," Hermione replied and Harry consented as well.

The two couples settled in and watched the movie and Hermione felt so warm and loved surrounded by her friends and the man she loved. She felt better than she had in weeks and everything just felt normal.

31. Chapter 31

Authors’ note: Thanks again for the reviews we’ve received on this. We tried to respond to some today, but didn’t get a chance to get to all of them. We’re getting the distinct impression that you all don’t like Gordon too much. He’s going to get much worse---we know it’s been said before, but it does bear repeating. This one is a little longer than the last chapter, too. We hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Ron laughed as he tied the ugly bonnet around Paddington’s head. “There you are,” he said, satisfied. “Luna will laugh her head off when she sees you.” The dog looked at him mournfully under the lacy edges. “No!” Ron shook his finger when the puppy attempted to use his paws to get the bonnet off.

Luna was knackered as she trudged up the stairs to her flat. She couldn't wait to see Paddington and to see Ron. She'd missed them both tremendously while she'd been away even though she hadn't been gone that long. She'd bought Ron a number of souvenirs while she'd been in Boston and even picked up a few things for her puppy. She rolled her suitcase behind her as she finally made it to her door. Fumbling in her pocket for her keys, she was surprised when the door opened all by itself.

Ron heard the door open and picked up the dog, muffling his laughter so Luna wouldn't hear it.

"Ron?" Luna asked, pulling her suitcase in behind her.

"In the kitchen," Ron replied.

Luna smiled as she set her bag down beside her suitcase. She walked into the kitchen and the sight before her made her giggle.

"Ron!" she exclaimed as she saw him holding Paddington. "That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

"Welcome home!" Ron struggled to keep a hold on the puppy that began to squirm as soon as he saw his mistress. "All right go on!" he laughed as Paddington ran to Luna who scooped him up despite his ever growing size.

"Ohhh," Luna said, hugging Paddington. "I missed you soooo much, you little monster and you too, Paddington." She grinned at the look on her boyfriend's face.

"Hey!" Ron looked offended.

Luna set Paddington down on the floor and launched herself at Ron. "You know I missed you, Ronald!"

"I missed you a lot too," Ron laughed as they hugged tightly. He kissed her, sneaking his hands into her loose hair. "Tell me you had a bad time and that you're never going back?" he joked.

Luna laughed. "Want me to lie?"

"Yes," Ron smiled. "And make it a whopper of a lie too please."

Luna grabbed his hand and led him into the living room. "Let's sit down and I'll tell you all about it." Paddington followed with the frilly bonnet trailing behind him. "How on earth did you get him to put that on?"

"I'm not sure," Ron began to laugh. "But he sure looked stupid in it didn't he?"

"Your revenge for his little accidents, eh?" she asked as they settled down on the sofa.

"You got it," Ron held her hand as Paddington jumped onto Luna's lap and kissed her face repeatedly.

"Easy, boy," Luna said, giggling. "I missed you, too!"

"We've made progress," Ron said, finally untying the bonnet. "He's learned to go to the door when he wants to be let out."

"He knew how to do that with me anyway," Luna teased. "But at least he's not going to ruin your trousers anymore."

"I hope he'll keep to it," Ron said as Paddington settled down next to Luna, his head in her lap. "All right, so tell me about Boston."

Luna grinned. "I don't even know where to start. The first few days, they had a few of the reporters give us a tour of the city. We'd already had that when we went for the weekend, but this was more of a mixture of Muggle Boston as well. It was so great, Ron. They even took us to a hockey game! I had no idea what was going on, but it was quite exciting. The whole time we were there I kept thinking how you'd love it!"

"Really?" Ron was pleased she'd been thinking of him. "What did you do as far as the paper goes?"

"Michael and I basically had orientation and were given a list of areas we could possibly concentrate on," Luna explained. "And I couldn't choose. I was excited about everything! So, he and I discussed it and decided to cover this corruption angle in their Auror division. I was going to talk to Harry about it, too. It's really fascinating, Ron. Michael and I did some research and we're going to really start on it when we go back on Wednesday."

"You're going back Wednesday?" Ron's good mood dropped a bit.

Luna nodded happily. "We need to get going on this story as quickly as possible. I know I'll only be home for a couple of days..."

"Is this what it's going to be like every week?" Ron asked.

Luna's smile faltered. "Possibly. I can't do the research on the article from London, Ron. I have to be in Boston."

"Oh," Ron fiddled with his trousers, not really sure of what else he could say.

"Ron," Luna said, stroking his hand. "You're happy for me, aren't you?"

"Of course I am," Ron said honestly. "I just wish you weren't going to be gone so often..." he looked up at her. "I'm scared we're going to grow apart."

"That's not possible," she said looking earnestly at him. She inched closer to him on the sofa. "The distance is going to be hard, but we'll make it work."

Ron slid his arms around her. "I hope so," he said. "I love you too much to lose you again."

"You couldn't lose me if you tried," she said leaning in for a kiss. "Now...you've told me how much you missed me. I want you to show me how much you missed me."

Ron grinned. "That won't be hard," he drew her up onto his lap; Paddington barked as he pulled Luna away from him. "Hey, back off monster, she's mine tonight."

"Just tonight?" she teased.

"Well every night," Ron brushed back her hair. "But when I go home he gets to stay here with you."

"It won't be too much longer when you won't have to go home," she said. "Which reminds me have you looked at any more places?"

"Not really," Ron replied. "I didn't like going around and looking without you."

Luna smiled, pleased. "I'm off tomorrow. We can look tomorrow afternoon if you'd like."

"Sure," Ron smiled. "I'm sure I can arrange something with Fred and George."

She looped her arms around his neck. "I really did miss you."

Ron smiled. "I missed you too," he leaned in and kissed her quite passionately.

"Wow," Luna said breathlessly. "You are really good at that, do you know that?"

"I've had good practise... and I have the best partner," Ron grinned at her.

"Flattery will get you everywhere," she replied.

Ron unclasped her robes then slid his hands under her shirt, lifting it over her head. "You're the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen," he murmured, his lips brushing over her skin.

"Ron," she whispered, revelling in his touch and in his kisses. She'd missed him even more than she'd imagined and she'd thought about their reunion nearly the entire time she'd been gone. He was definitely worth coming home to.

*** *** ***

Harry sat back on the bed as Chiaki cooed happily in his arms. He and Hermione had finally talked Neville and Cho into letting them take the baby for a couple of hours. Hermione hoped that Neville and Cho would enjoy a nice night out, but Cho had told her they'd probably both just sleep.

The evening had gone quite well aside from the fact that Chiaki had just spit up all over Hermione's jumper. Harry smiled down at the baby as he waited for Hermione to return. "Hermione?" he asked, calling out to her in the closet. "What are you doing in there?"

"Have you seen my old navy blue robes?" she asked. "You didn't put them in the laundry did you?"

Harry made a funny face at Chiaki. "Sweetheart, I couldn't tell you the last time I did laundry," he answered.

"I didn't think you'd be able to answer," Hermione emerged from the closet in another older jumper. "Blast," she frowned. "I hate misplacing things!”

"It'll probably turn up," he said. "Things always do."

"But that's the third missing article of clothing in a week," Hermione replied.

"You sure you didn't loan something to Lavender?" he asked helpfully.

"As if she would wear something that's more than three months old," Hermione sat down on the bed.

"Auntie Hermione is losing her mind," Harry said, smiling down at the baby. "Yes she is. Can you say mental, Chiaki?"

"Ha, ha Potter," Hermione said wryly. "You should hear yourself talk right now." she took the baby from Harry's arms.

"This is like a trial run for us," he said, sitting back on the bed as he watched Hermione with the baby. "This will be us someday, you know."

Hermione smiled at him. "I know," she said, stroking Chiaki's smooth face. "I can't believe how gorgeous she is. She looks so much like Cho it's not even funny."

"I imagine she'll break a few hearts when she's older," Harry predicted.

"Without a doubt," Hermione replied as Chiaki closed her eyes. "Good thing she'll have her Uncle Harry watching her back," she teased.

"Too right," Harry said, stifling a yawn.

"Sleepy love?" Hermione asked, smiling down at the baby in her arms who smacked her tiny lips.

"A little," Harry admitted. "Thackeray was in rare form again today."

Hermione frowned. "What is that man's problem with you and Neville?""

Harry shrugged. "Who knows? He basically has hated me from day one and I think Neville's just guilty by association. Luckily, the next training rotation we have another instructor. Rumour has it that it'll be Lupin."

"I heard he's a fantastic professor," Hermione replied. "When do you switch over?"

"March," Harry answered.

"So another month to go," Hermione replied. "Think you'll make it?" she asked, reaching out with her free hand to stroke his cheek.

"If I can put up with Severus Snape for seven years, I reckon I can put up with anything," Harry said wryly.

"You'll have to tell me more about this Snape character sometime," Hermione giggled quietly.

"Not in front of the baby," Harry said with a laugh. "Wouldn't want to scar her for life."

Hermione smiled as Harry brushed his fingers lightly through Chiaki's soft black hair. "I still can't believe Cho and Neville are parents," she said softly. "If I stop and really think about it, it's just amazing."

"I know," he said, smiling at her. "Look at you. You're a natural at this."

Hermione smiled. "I guess I still wish that test really had turned out positive, even though at first I didn't want it that way," she said quietly but not sadly.

"We can always try again," he said, teasingly. "And again...and again....and again..."

Hermione smiled. "Let's just let nature take its course," she said. "If I become pregnant... then we'll have a baby. If I don't..."

Harry heard a loud thud just outside their bedroom window. The noise startled the baby, who started to cry. Harry grabbed his wand and went quickly to the window, looking outside. As Hermione tried to calm the baby, Harry unlocked the window and looked out into the pitch darkness.

"What was that?" Hermione asked, holding Chiaki close to her.

"I don't know," Harry said, checking one more time before closing the window. He knew their bedroom was on the second floor of the cottage and he was probably overreacting, but he'd been a little on edge ever since Lavender and Seamus had reported Gordon lurking outside the cottage.

Hermione looked alarmed. "Should we go downstairs and make sure the doors are locked and all the wards are in place?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "I'll do that. You stay up here with Chiaki."

Hermione was nervous at the thought of staying alone, especially when someone might be outside but she nodded.

Harry gave Hermione a reassuring smile before walking downstairs. He quickly went to the front door and slowly opened it with his wand at the ready. The only sound that greeted him was the wind howling. If he found Gordon Devereaux lurking about again out here, he'd make him regret it.

Hermione grew terrified as the minutes passed and Harry didn't return. She held Chiaki to her, kissing the side of her head and murmuring to keep her quiet. Could Seamus and Lavender have been right about someone looking into their cottage?

After a few minutes exploration around the cottage and then securing the locks and making sure all the wards were in place, Harry climbed the stairs to the bedroom again. "I didn't see anything," Harry said as he came into the room. "Or anyone for that matter."

"Are you sure?" Hermione visibly relaxed as she saw her boyfriend. "That scared the bloody hell out of me!"

He nodded. Anger was fusing through him. There might not have been anyone out there now, but he was willing to bet his life that someone had been out there. And though he had no proof, he was nearly positive who it was.

Gordon narrowed his eyes as he flew carefully to the window again, holding the broom a bit tighter this time. 'That had been a close call,' he thought. A rather strong wind had knocked him straight into the wall and he was determined to never make the same mistake twice.

*** *** ***

Neville was irritable after another rough day of training. Thackeray had been even more of a bastard than usual and both he and Harry had nearly walked out during the afternoon session.

On top of that, Neville Longbottom was one sexually frustrated married man. He wasn’t angry at his wife, but he was tired of sleeping next to her every night and not being able to be intimate with her. He knew she wanted to make love as badly as he did, but her doctor was reluctant to give them the okay being as Cho had just given birth several weeks before.

"Okay, so did you want to go over defensive spells again?" Harry asked his friend. They had a practical exam tomorrow and despite the fact that they both would rather plot revenge on Thackeray, Neville had agreed to a late afternoon study session. Cho was out at the moment taking the baby for a walk. When his friend didn't respond, Harry waved a hand in front of Neville. "Earth to Neville?"

“Sorry," Neville replied. "It's just... been a long day. I can't concentrate on anything."

"Thackeray's such a wanker," Harry said, thinking his friend's mood was due to their instructor. "But, we only have to put up with him until March..."

"Another month," Neville replied. "It's not just him though..."

"The baby?" Harry guessed, picking up his glass and taking a swig.

"Well..." Neville sighed. "The baby's not bad, she cries a lot but I knew that came with the job." He lowered his voice even though they were alone. "I want to make love to my wife and I can't... and it's just...."

"Frustrating?" Harry finished for him. "You mean that you two haven't yet?"

"We can't!" Neville replied. "Not since she's had a baby. Apparently..." his voice trailed off a moment. "Her body has to... recover... and so she can't have sex."

Harry stared at this friend is amazement. He'd known of course that they had to wait, but he'd figured that since Cho was feeling better now and was taking the baby for walks on an almost daily basis that Neville had already consummated his marriage. He couldn't think of anything to say. But, when he did, it was definitely the wrong thing to say. "Nev, I don't know how you're able to do it. I mean, if I had to sleep in the same bed with Hermione and not be able to..."

"Yeah, well I HAVE to sleep in the same bed as Cho and I CAN'T," Neville snapped.

"Sorry, that was a stupid thing to say," Harry said sheepishly. "Well, how much longer do you have to wait?"

Neville shrugged, still irritated. "A few more weeks I guess... I'm supposing that Cho will give me the go ahead when it's okay."

"Have you talked to her about this?" Harry asked, leaning back on the sofa. "I mean this has to be hard on her, too."

"Do you think I should?" Neville asked.

"Of course," Harry answered simply.

"I'm afraid of what she'll say," Neville fiddled with one of the pages in his text.

"Come on, Neville," Harry said encouragingly. "You're married to each other. You should be able to ask her these things. I'm sure she'll feel better knowing how you're feeling."

"Maybe you're right," Neville replied. "I guess... I sort of feel a bit... shy..." he finished off the sentence with his tone barely audible.

Harry looked at his friend. It all became suddenly clear to him what the real issue was. Truth be told, he was a bit surprised. He took a moment to think about how he wanted to say this without offending his friend. "Um, Nev? Are you...I mean...I thought you weren't, but if you still are that's okay, but are you...a virgin?" he asked uncertainly.

"Yeah," Neville replied, his tone still quiet.

"But I thought...," Harry started to say, but his voice trailed off.

"I'm not as lucky as the rest of you I guess," Neville snapped.

"Neville, you know I didn't mean it like that," Harry said quickly. "I'm just trying to be a mate."

"I'm sorry," Neville apologised. "I guess I'm a bit touchy about it because I hate being the only one left out."

"Does Cho know?" Harry couldn't help asking.

"I don't know," Neville confessed. "I guess she and I really should talk shouldn't we?"

"I should say so," Harry replied. "She'll understand, Neville. She loves you. And I'm sure once she hears this; she'll love you even more."

"All right," Neville smiled at his friend. "I'll mention it tonight," he said.

"Good," Harry said, looking at his watch. It would be dark soon and with all that had been going on at home lately; he certainly didn't like the idea of leaving Hermione on her own. "I should probably get going unless you wanted to go over these spells once more."

"No, I think I get them about as well as I ever will," Neville stood up. "Listen... thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate you not laughing at me... about..."

"Of course, what are friends for?' Harry asked with a grin. "I'm flattered that you decided to talk to me about this. I mean I don't mean to brag, but I do have a bit of experience..."

Neville rolled his eyes. "And the Rabbit King re-emerges..."

Harry laughed. "Who knows...you and Cho might give Hermione and me a run for our money on that title."

"Yeah right," Neville replied. "If we did, Merlin knows you and Hermione would shag even more just to... stay on top." Neville cringed at his choice of words.

"I'm going to let that one go," Harry said, gathering up his books.

"Good," Neville replied. "Go home and see your girlfriend."

"Will do," Harry said. "Good luck tonight."

"Thanks," Neville replied. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Bright and early," Harry said, as he walked out the door. "With bells on..."

*** *** ***

On the Tuesday before she was due back in Boston, Luna was finally looking at some places with Ron. Well, she was there in spirit. For the majority of the time that they'd been looking, she'd been scribbling ideas in her notepad for her article. She'd also called Michael twice on her mobile telephone.

"Yes, Michael," Luna was saying into her phone as she and Ron stood outside of a flat near Diagon Alley. "Mmm, that might be a good idea."

Ron sighed impatiently. "We have to be there before two," he said, trying to mask his annoyance.

Luna held up her finger and mouthed the word "sorry" to him as she listened to Michael.

"Yeah....well, I think that's brilliant.....mmmmm....okay...," she said quickly. "Um, Michael, I'm going to have to call you back. Ron and I are in the middle of something. Okay. Bye."

Luna clicked off her mobile and turned to face Ron who didn't look very happy with her. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I promise," she said, giving him a smile.

"All right," Ron didn't argue but he didn't believe her, as she'd promised that before. "This place is up on the third floor over here," he took her hand.

"I hope we like the flat," Luna said as they climbed the stairs. "This would be so convenient for you with the shop and everything."

"Yeah," Ron wanted to say it was convenient for her as well but Diagon Alley was nowhere near Boston. "And I'm glad Paddington is somewhat housebroken. I don't want to have to take him down three flights of stairs every time he's peeing on something."

Luna giggled. "It wouldn't be that bad. I've heard that climbing up and down stairs can be very good for exercising."

Ron smiled. "Are you saying I need exercise Lovegood?"

"You are a bit...paunchy," she teased.

"Hey!" Ron replied. "That's not very nice!"

"I'm joking," she said, punching him playfully on the back. "I'd kill to be able to eat like you do and never gain a stone."

"It's a Weasley thing," Ron boasted. "Here, what's this say, flat 34?"

"Yes," Luna said. "Is this the one?"

"Yeah," Ron replied.

"Do you have the key?" she asked.

"I put it in your bag," Ron replied.

"You did?" Luna asked, looking quizzically at him. "When did you do that?"

Ron gave her a look. "Gee, I don't know, could it have been when you were on your mobile?"

Luna glared at him. "It's a bit early for sarcasm, isn't it?"

Ron shook his head as she began to dig through her bag. "Here, that's it," he said.

Luna handed him the key and wondered why he was so testy. She'd only taken two or maybe three phone calls since they'd been out.

Ron pushed open the door, walking into the small hallway. "Okay... says the kitchen is to the right." he turned around. "That's the main room for me."

Luna relaxed. "Plan on doing a lot of cooking, do you?" she asked.

"Eating," Ron grinned.

"Of course," she said with a laugh. "How stupid of me."

"Well the other important room is this way," Ron studied the parchment in his hand. "The master bedroom..."

Luna grinned. "Now you're talking...show me the way!"

Ron laughed. "Come on you," he pulled her down the hallway.

She giggled as he led her into the bedroom. She gasped. When she'd first seen Harry and Hermione's cottage, she'd loved the window seat in their bedroom. She couldn't help thinking that one day she'd love to have a place with a window seat. This flat had one and Luna walked over to the window. She could just see herself wrapped up in blanket looking up at the stars.

"Thinking of something?" Ron asked, pulling her into his arms from behind.

"That night at Hillsdale before we got caught in the rain," she said dreamily.

Ron laughed. "What on earth made you think of that?" he asked.

"This window seat actually," Luna answered. "I was just picturing myself sitting on it and looking out at the stars..."

"Oh," Ron kissed the side of her head. "I thought this place might be a bit much but I didn't realise it would come mostly furnished. That does help things out."

"I really like this place," she said leaning back against his chest. "I mean, I know we've only looked at a couple of places, but if we can afford it, I'd love to live here."

"I'm sure we could... money might be a bit tight the first few months... but then again I'm no maths genius," Ron replied. "Mum taught us the basics but that's about it."

Luna giggled. "Another thing you and I have in common. I always hated maths, too. Probably explains why I like writing so much."

Ron smiled. "Well you know... this could very possibly be our bed..." he said suggestively.

"Ron!" Luna said, turning around to face him properly. "We don't even own this place yet!"

"I know," Ron replied, pushing his lower lip out. "But how will we know for sure if we'll like it if we don't try things out?"

"That's true," she said, a mischievous look in her eyes.

Ron pulled her to him, grazing his lips lightly over hers. "Come on Loony," he teased.

"What did I tell you about calling me that, Ronald?" she asked taking off her cloak.

Ron grinned cheekily. "Are you going to do something about it Loony?"

"I think I just might," she said, pushing him down on the bed.

Ron groaned as she straddled him, then leaned over and kissed him hard. He muttered something unintelligible as he loosened her hair from her ponytail, digging his fingers into the strands as his tongue swept over her lips. "You know I love you right?" he asked breathlessly several minutes later.

"I sure hope so," she said softly, touching his cheek.

"I miss you when you're gone," Ron said, pushing her hair off her face.

"I miss you when I'm gone too, Ron," she said smiling up at him.

"I hate the thought you're a whole ocean away but I know you love what you're doing," Ron said, speaking without thinking.

"What does that mean?" she asked, pushing him off of her so she could sit up.

"It just means what I said," Ron replied. "It... as usual... didn't come out right."

"Ron? How do you really feel about my working in Boston? Don't try and sugar coat it for me. I want the truth," she said with her eyes fixed on his. "You've been distant anytime I've mentioned it or you say something sarcastic and if you think I haven't noticed, you're wrong. I admit you and I haven't been close for very long, but I think I know when something's troubling you. If it is, I think you owe it to me to tell me."

Ron sighed. "All right..." he tried to think of the best way to phrase it without making Luna angry with him. "I guess... I'm just... I don't know. I guess I'm scared that you'll love it so much over there you won't want to come back here," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"This is my home," she said looking at him. "And you're my home. I'll always come back to wherever you are."

"You really mean that?" Ron asked.

She nodded and leaned in to kiss him. Her lips brushed against his. "You, me, and Paddington. We're a family. An unorthodox family, but a family just the same."

"Okay," Ron replied, kissing her again. "That makes me feel a lot better." he stroked her cheek gently.

"Good," she said tugging at his shirt. "Now, I thought you and I were going to try out this bed."

Ron laughed. "Either that or take a look around the kitchen."

"You know maybe we should think about putting the bed in the kitchen and you'd never have to leave," she joked.

"Hey that sounds like a great idea," Ron replied.

"Ronald Weasley you are just crazy enough to keep up with me," she said, falling back onto the bed again and pulling him down with her. "And I absolutely love that about you."

32. Chapter 32

A/N: Thanks again you guys for another round of great reviews!

A lot of you don’t understand how Hermione can be so blind- the thing is, she doesn’t SEE Gordon doing all this, she doesn’t know what he’s truly like… although at the end of this chapter you might want to kick her for being quite naïve. We don’t want to make this a monster authors note that most of you will probably skip over so just remember, Hermione’s more of a books person, not necessarily one to read people as easily.

Thanks again all, and please let us know what you think!

Harry sighed heavily as he rubbed his eyes, which were blurring quite badly even through his glasses. He and Hermione were both in their living room studying- Harry had tried several times to push the books away and pull her down next to him on the floor but she’d rebuffed him every time, saying she had to get this done or she’d be heading for the University library.

“I'm sick of this rain,” he stood up, putting his forehead to the glass. “That’s all it’s been doing this past week.”

"It's a good thing we're not outside then," Hermione said, not looking up from her book.

"Yeah," Harry said sourly.

"You realize you've been looking at the same page for nearly thirty minutes," Hermione said, glancing at the book on his lap.

"I can't read any more," Harry replied. "It's hurting my eyes."

"Just take a break then," Hermione said, highlighting another passage in her text.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I've been on a damn break." he snapped.

"O-Kay," Hermione said, closing her book. "I think I'll just go to the library since you're obviously in a tetchy mood."

"What's going to the library going to do?" Harry asked. "It's not like I'm jumping on you here! And I'm not sitting here making all sorts of noise!"

"I never said you were," Hermione retorted. "Look, Harry. We're both on edge from classes. I still have quite a bit to do and I don't want you and I to get in an argument about this. So, I think it'd be best if I just went to the library."

"No," Harry said. "Don't leave... I'm not going to argue with you about it." he slumped down next to her on the sofa. "I guess I've just had it with Thackeray. He's been worse than ever this week. If Lupin hadn't been in the room, I have no doubt he would have put me on probation simply for doing the demonstration spell he set us out to do!"

"The more I hear about this Thackeray the less I like him," Hermione said indignantly. "How can he get away with treating you like this? You're the best student in that class. You could probably teach him a thing or two."

"Probably," Harry grumbled. "I hate him. He picks on Neville too just because he's a friend of mine."

"That's so unfair," Hermione commented. Harry shrugged. Although she knew that she had work to do, she also knew that Harry needed to do something to take his mind off of training. An idea sprang to her head and she leapt to her feet and dimmed the lights in the living room all as a clueless Harry watched. With a look back at him, she walked over to the stereo.

"What are you doing I thought you had work to do?" Harry asked, confused.

"I do, but we both need a break," she said as she opened up the cabinet that housed their CD collection. "Get on your feet, Potter."

Harry smiled. "What are you planning Granger?" he asked.

Finally selecting the music she wanted, she placed the CD in the player. With a cheeky grin, she repeated the same words he'd said to her the first night she'd met him. "You don't think you're getting out of here that easily, do you? You didn't come here to just watch, did you?" she asked, holding out her hand, a gleam of excitement in her eyes.

Harry laughed. "You really have to think of your own lines," he teased while his eyes conveyed his appreciation at her distracting him.

"As lines go, it worked pretty well," she said, as the sultry music began to play. "Worked on me, didn't it?"

He grinned. "It sure did," he pulled her close. "And I'm glad for that. Every day I'm glad for that."

She smiled as she rested her cheek on his chest as they slowly swayed to the music. "You know this is my favourite place in the world...in your arms. There's no place I'd rather be."

Harry kissed the side of her head. "Same here," he replied softly. "If I could spend the rest of my life here I would." he exhaled slowly. "Nothing but us..."

"Sounds like heaven to me," Hermione whispered.

They remained together until a new song began, a saucier Latin style song. Harry knew it well and he twirled her around, her hair flying behind her as they began to move.

"We should do this more often," Hermione said, raising her voice to be heard over the music. She giggled as he dipped her and then slowly brought her back up with their faces inches apart. Both of them were slightly breathless from the dance and Hermione knew that if she acted on what she was feeling at the moment, she could kiss studying for the rest of the night goodbye. Looking into those green eyes, her decision was made and she hungrily claimed his lips.

Harry kissed her back, his hands moving from her lower hips up around her waist to pull her as close as possible. Her fingers twisted through his hair, making it even messier than normal. "Yeah, we should definitely do this more often. Once or twice a day?" he joked, making her laugh.

"All of our friends think we already do," Hermione answered back. She ran her fingers up and down his chest. "If we were as active as they think we are, we'd probably find it difficult to walk."

Harry smiled. "Well let them think what they want then," he kissed her again, letting his fingers wander this time underneath her jumper.

"We shouldn't," she said trying to sound as if she meant it, but failing miserably. "We both should finish studying...."

"Hermione..." Harry drew out the last letter of her name. "You know you'd rather have me open you up rather than a book." he grinned devilishly.

She giggled. "I would, would I?"

"You know you would," Harry said roguishly.

"That's beside the point," she tried to argue, but he wasn't making it easy on her with what he was doing with his hands at the moment. He kissed her slowly and she felt any resistance she may have had disappear.

Harry pulled her over by the fireplace. He grabbed the blanket from the back of the sofa and tossed it on the floor. "Get down here," he beckoned.

Without a moment's hesitation, she knelt down onto the blanket and looked at him expectantly.

"Down here," Harry emphasized. He pulled her close, lifting her jumper over her head.

Her brown eyes focused on his as the upbeat music they'd been dancing to only moments before changed into a bluesy, soulful music that seemed to perfectly fit the mood. She whispered his name as his hands lingered on her now bare shoulders. "Harry..."

"Shhhh..." Harry said softly. "Show me how much you love me Hermione."

Hermione didn't say a word as she rose to her knees and worked his shirt over his head. She kissed him hungrily and brought him down with her on the blanket.

Harry moved his hands over her skin, his mouth attacking hers greedily. "I need you so bad," he breathed when they pulled apart for a split moment.

Hermione smiled up at him before lifting her head from the blanket and kissing him again. He kissed along her neckline. His lips lingered on her breasts for a few moments before he inched slowly down to her stomach. Her eyes were closed and she felt him unzip her jeans and slowly bring them down. "You're going much too slow," she said huskily.

Harry grinned. "Am I torturing you love?" he asked.

Hermione laughed. "You know damn well that you are!"

Harry tossed her jeans aside. "What do you want me to do about it?" he asked, now in a very playful mood.

"Come here," she said softly, resting on one elbow as she watched him ease out of his own jeans. "You knew all along that we'd end up doing this tonight, didn't you?" she asked, shaking her head.

“No," Harry replied. "I really didn't," he settled down next to her, both clad only in knickers and boxers by this point.

She smiled as she ran a hand over his chest, tracing imaginary circles. "I'm not so convinced," she whispered.

"Does it really matter?" Harry chuckled. "You don't seem to be putting up any sort of protest," he leaned back in, brushing his lips close to the corner of her mouth.

"Do I ever with you?" she asked, knowing that he knew exactly what he was doing. He was teasing her by bringing her right to the edge and drawing back.

“No," Harry kissed down the side of her neck, purposely skimming his mouth lightly. "Am I driving you mad yet?"

Hermione drew back from him ever so slightly and gave him a stern look. He might not want to take responsibility for the turn the evening had taken, but she'd be damned if he was going to continue torturing her like this. She brought her hand to the nape of his neck and pulled him to her, their lips clashing in a passionate kiss. "Turnabout is fair play," she said impishly.

Harry laughed. "You won't see me complaining," he stroked her hair.

"I love you," she whispered. He didn't have to say it back. She knew he felt the same in the way he looked at her. In those green eyes of his, she saw love, desire, need, and hope. "I've never felt so safe or loved as I do when I'm with you, Harry."

Harry kissed her. "And I love you," he said softly. "More than... more than I ever thought. You were such a surprise when you came into my life Hermione. And I don't regret a day since that night I first kissed you."

"Neither do I," she said, her eyes shining from the firelight. "You've changed my life, my world. I never want what we have to end."

"Well rest assured, I never plan on ending things with you," Harry said after another kiss.

Hermione smiled. "I don't plan on going anywhere either. So, I guess this means you're stuck with me."

"Aye," Harry laughed. "And that certainly doesn't sound like a bad thing."

"No, it doesn't," she said softly. She lay back on the blanket again and Harry gently settled on top of her. Tenderly, he kissed her again.

"No more talking now," his voice was muffled against her bare skin.

"No more talking," she whispered as he gently kissed her shoulder. She ran her fingers through his hair and marvelled again at how he always knew just what she needed. Tonight, he was being gentle and tender with her and it made her love him all the more. She could feel how much he loved her in every kiss, in every touch, in every look.

*** *** ***

Cho looked out the window at the falling rain. She was glad that she'd been able to get in a quick walk around the neighbourhood with Chiaki before it started. Those little afternoon walks were quite therapeutic and her medi-wizard had given her the okay to start some light exercising. She couldn't wait until she'd be able to go out dancing again.

She and Neville had a late dinner. After feeding the baby, Neville volunteered to put her down for the night. Cho made them both a cup of hot chocolate. She'd placed Neville's on the table with a heating charm in case he was longer with the baby than he'd expected

"She's finally down," Neville said wearily, a quarter of an hour later. "I'm so glad she's easing into a sleep pattern now."

"You and me both," she agreed, handing him a mug. "Thought this would be nice on a cold, rainy night."

"Thanks," Neville smiled at his wife. "You're the best."

"I have my moments," she said, walking past him and into the living room. She settled on the sofa. "So you didn't say much about training when you came home. Still as bad as ever?"

"Yeah," Neville replied. "Thackeray really has it in for Harry- and me as a result of us being mates. I'm so sick of him."

"Just remember you only have to put up with him a few more weeks," she said. "And besides, you put up with Snape for seven years; I think Thackeray should be a breeze compared to him."

"He makes Snape look like Dumbledore," Neville replied bitterly. "Harry and I can't do a thing right. He's angry with us now because we talked to Lupin about him, and so now someone sits in on all the classes to make sure he's not showing favouritism."

Cho grimaced. As the sofa was near the fire and she'd just finished off her mug of hot chocolate, she was actually feeling quite warm. "It's a little warm in here isn't it?" she asked, unbuttoning the two top buttons of her green shirt. She leaned her head back on the sofa, exposing a bit of her cleavage. With her eyes closed, she didn't see the look of frustration on her husband's face.

Neville couldn't stop his eyes from travelling over her creamy olive toned skin. They had done plenty of touching, caressing, snogging and the like, but he wanted to BE with his wife like every man should be.

"I really had a nice time on my walk today," Cho said, with her eyes still closed as she massaged the nape of her neck with her hand. "It's so good to be moving again."

Neville nodded absently, his eyes still fixed on her breasts. It was true that her pregnancy had caused her to develop some curves on her body and Neville appreciated each and every one of them.

An oblivious Cho kept on talking. "And I must have had six people stop me and tell me what a beautiful, adorable baby I have. And I may be biased, but I think she is, too. Don't you?"

When he didn't answer, she opened her eyes and stared at him. He was looking at her with a strange expression on his face. "Neville?"

"What? Yes, she's adorable," Neville jumped, flushing guiltily.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, looking quizzically at him. "And why are you standing over there? Come and sit down."

Neville thought he moved slowly but found himself sitting next to his wife a split second later.

Cho could sense something was troubling him and she had a feeling it went much deeper than problems with his training instructor. She wondered what it could be. It wasn't his grandmother. Mrs. Longbottom had actually been to the house the other day and they'd had a nice cup of tea. Maybe he was finding balancing being a father and his training to be more difficult than he imagined. She wished he'd say something to her, but he sat besides her staring straight ahead as if he didn't want to look at her.

Neville remembered his and Harry's conversation from a few days before. He hadn't the nerve to bring up the topic with Cho, especially since she hadn't mentioned details of her doctor's visits to him. "So what did... you and Gran talk about the other day?" he finally asked.

Cho smiled. "We had a right nice chat about her grandson as a child."

"Oh bloody hell," Neville said. "What sorts of embarrassing things did she tell you?"

Cho giggled. "She had me in stitches talking about how you used to run around the back lawn starkers without your nappy," she said, teasingly. "I had no idea you were an exhibitionist, love."

Neville felt himself flush a dark red. "I'll kill her," he muttered.

Cho laughed. "That's what grandparents and parents are supposed to do. Embarrass us. We'll get to do it to Chiaki one day, too."

"I suppose," Neville lay on his back, finally looking up at his wife. Her long dark hair was loose and he couldn't resist reaching over to toy with the strands.

"Is everything okay?" she asked seriously. "You seem like you've been wanting to tell me something all evening and you've been really quiet..." When he didn't say anything, a horrible thought occurred to her. "Is it because I look like I do?" she asked, a stricken expression coming over her face. "I mean, I'm walking and I'm trying to lose the weight I gained with the baby and ..."

"No!" Neville sat back up. "You've never looked more gorgeous Cho, really."

"Then why have you been acting like you have?' she asked him. "Sometimes you look as if you can't stand to look at me!"

Neville pulled his legs up and wrapped arms around them. "I've been avoiding this topic for awhile now," he said, staring at the fire.

"Please just tell me," she said a sense of dread coming over her.

Neville had no idea how to phrase what he wanted to tell her. 'It shouldn't be hard,' he thought. 'I want to make love to you,' he mentally practised. "It's just..." he sighed. "It's been hard with us not being physical..." he winced, knowing he sounded completely selfish.

"T-that's what you're worried about?" she asked softly.

"That makes me sound awful doesn't it?" Neville asked darkly.

Cho looked at him. He wasn't looking at her, his eyes were fixated on the carpet. She'd not expected him to say this to her. Now, that he had it was quite a relief. She'd thought the worst and come to find out he was feeling the same way she was.

She eased off the sofa and sat beside him on the floor. Placing her hand on his shoulder, she looked at him, willing him to meet her gaze. "No, Neville. It doesn't make you sound awful."

"Really?" he asked. "I mean... I know you still can't make love but... all our other friends are, and WE'RE the ones that are married." Neville shook his head.

Cho nodded, a smile playing at her lips. "Not bloody fair, is it?"

"Not really," Neville relaxed at the look on her face.

"Neville, I want to be with you just as much as you want to be with me," she said, leaning in to kiss him. When they broke apart a few moments later, she lingered in his arms. "I can't believe we haven't talked about this before. I was worried that you couldn't believe what a cow I'd turned into and you'd wondered what you ever saw in me."

"Are you kidding?" Neville asked. "Cho I couldn't love you any more if I tried- your looks have only gotten better since having the baby. I thought you were gorgeous while you were pregnant."

"You did?" she asked shyly. She touched his cheek. "Just when I think I can't love you anymore than I already do you go and say something like that..."

Neville smiled at her, feeling relieved. "I really do want to make love to you," he said softly. "It's just hard to wait, but I will wait." he pulled her closer against him.

She grinned. "I do have some rather good news for you."

"What's that?" Neville asked, kissing the side of her head.

"At my last appointment, the medi-wizard said that I could...well, that we could be able to...in his words, have 'sexual relations' in another couple of weeks. Which is just around Valentine's Day...," she said with a grin.

Neville grinned. "That's fantastic," he said, keeping his tone light.

“I think so, too," she said, resting her head on his chest.

"We'll have to plan a special night," Neville replied. "Maybe we can even get Harry and Hermione to watch Chiaki for us. That night should be no different than other ones for the rabbits."

Cho giggled. "It is a special night, though. They might have plans."

"Right..." Neville replied. "Well... even if we have Chiaki here we can make it our own special night."

"I was thinking maybe we could ask your Gran actually," Cho said.

Neville turned to look at her. "You know... I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. You think she'd like to watch Chiaki for a night?"

"She said she'd love to watch her anytime," Cho said, smiling. "I know, I was surprised too, but she's really good with Chiaki."

"All right," Neville was growing excited. "We can stay here or we can find a nice bed and breakfast..."

"As long as we're together, I don't care where we go," Cho said, kissing him.

Neville kissed her back, rolling over on top of her. "Maybe we can get a little practise in," he said, stroking her hair.

"Smashing idea," Cho said huskily. "Practise does make perfect."

*** *** ***

“And then there was the time in Charms that Jean Claude singed his eyebrows,” Hermione laughed. “He was such a vain git- that served him right!”

Gordon chuckled. "Yeah, well you were the one who told him the wrong spell."

Hermione turned pink. "That was not me!" she laughed again. "Oh all right... it was. I was so tired of him always trying to show everyone up!"

Gordon smiled at her. This was the best time he'd ever had with her. She was being herself and not trying to mould herself in the image of what that hero boyfriend of hers wanted.

Gordon looked around at the cosy living room thinking that he couldn't have asked for a more romantic setting. They were all alone at the cottage and had been studying for nearly two hours. Hermione had suggested a break and they were eating popcorn and drinking pumpkin juice. Potter was away with one of his training buddies.

They'd been talking about old times for a few minutes and Gordon loved the animated look on her face when she talked. "He definitely deserved it," Gordon said with a laugh. "And it did shut him up for quite some time."

"Yes, and when he started up again all I had to do was bring up that spell," Hermione said mischievously. "It's a shame you were gone by then."

"I know," Gordon said wistfully. "I wish we would have kept in touch."

"I always wondered why we didn't," Hermione remarked idly.

Gordon smiled shyly at her. "I did, too. But, we were just kids then."

"Thirteen year olds," Hermione shook her head. "So much has changed since those times."

"And look at us now," Gordon said winking at her. "Especially you. You're really amazing, Hermione." When he saw the look on Hermione's face, he decided he needed to cover. "You know that Harry is one lucky bloke. I hope he knows that."

"He does," Hermione twisted the edge of the sofa cushion in her fingers. "But I'm lucky too. It's all a part of being head over heels for someone." she smiled.

Gordon knew exactly what she meant. He was definitely head over heels for her. He just wished she could see how much. He wanted her to see how much better that he was for her than Potter. Looking at Hermione, he saw the same dreamy expression come over her beautiful features as she thought about Potter. Deciding that he needed to steer the conversation away from Potter, he quickly brought up old times again. "Do you know who I saw in Greece once?" he asked her. "You remember Juliet, don't you?"

"Vaguely," Hermione replied.

"Sure you do, Hermione," Gordon said, nudging her playfully on the arm. "That daft girl who used to burst out into those strange phrases in the middle of classes? She was the one who thought divination was the most fascinating subject and was always going around wanting to read everyone's palm?"

"Right," Hermione groaned. "I HAD forgotten about her..."

Gordon laughed. "I saw her a few summers ago and she was selling fortunes to Muggle tourists."

Hermione burst into laughter. "Oh why doesn't that surprise me?" she asked.

"Just for a laugh, I went in to see her," Gordon related conversationally. "And she had no bloody idea who I was. She told me that I was going to inherit a goat farm, I believe it was and that I was going to have six children, two of them girls."

"A goat farm?" Hermione snorted as she wiped her eyes. "Merlin... I don't think I've heard anything so ridiculous before in my life!"

"I thought about what a laugh it would have been if you could have been there to see it," Gordon said before bursting out in another fit of laughter at the memory of it.

"Ugh I wonder what she'd have predicted for me?" Hermione asked. "Honestly, I'd probably be running the pig farm next to your goats."

Gordon laughed heartily and revelled again in the closeness that he and Hermione shared. "I still can't believe some schools teach Divination," Gordon said, shaking his head. "It's such a load of rubbish."

"It really is," Hermione replied. "Harry told me the Divination professor at Hogwarts is horrible as well, although apparently Dumbledore said she's a true Seer."

"I guess she knew what she was talking about somewhat," Gordon reluctantly admitted. "What with that whole prophecy..."

"Yeah," Hermione replied. Harry had never talked much about the prophecy or his battles with Voldemort, and while she was curious, she didn't press him to talk about it. She knew he'd open up to her if or when he truly wanted to about it.

"Did I touch a nerve?" Gordon asked, seeing Hermione's smile fade a bit. "Surely he's told you all about that, right?"

"It's not something we've really discussed," Hermione replied, her tone even. "It's not something he can talk about easily so we usually stay on things we both enjoy discussing."

Gordon was honestly surprised. He'd have thought Potter would have used that to glorify his own name in Hermione's eyes. Still, it was possible to use this to his own advantage, Gordon thought.

"Hmmm," Gordon couldn't stop himself from saying. "I'm just surprised is all. I thought that's what couples did talk about both the good and bad things. That was a big part of his life. Some might even say the defining moment in his life. I would have thought he would have shared it with you."

"He will in his own time," Hermione replied calmly. "In the scheme of things, he and I haven't even been together a year. We have plenty of time to talk about things like Voldemort," she noticed Gordon shiver slightly at the name.

Gordon nodded. Inwardly, he was seething. It seemed like in Hermione's eyes, Potter could do no wrong. "I guess we should get back to studying," Gordon said a moment later.

Hermione nodded and soon the two were immersed again in their texts. Soon the only sounds in the room were from the crackling fire and the sounds of their quills scribbling on parchment. Gordon looked up from his book and reached for his soda, but noticed that Hermione had some ink on her chin. He started to laugh.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"You, um, have some ink on your chin," he said, laughing.

"Oh blast," Hermione ran for the loo. "Thanks for telling me," she said when she came back.

As she sat back down the light from the firelight, illuminated her skin and her hair making it appear almost golden. The effect of it was nearly breathtaking and Gordon felt himself unable to look away from her. Although a part of him knew it was too soon to make a move, he couldn't help it. She was so beautiful, he thought to himself as he inched closer toward her. With a shaking hand, he brought his hand to her chin and tilted it up. She looked at him in surprise and slowly he began to lean in.

"Gordon what are you doing?" Hermione asked, a sudden chill spreading through her. She pulled away, moving down the sofa.

Gordon dropped his hand and inched to his end of the sofa. "I-I'm sorry, Hermione. I wasn't thinking."

Hermione didn't know what to say, so she nervously cleared her throat and pushed her hair over her shoulders.

Gordon cursed himself for nearly kissing her. It was much too soon for a move like that, but he couldn't help himself. Now, he may have just scared her away. He could already picture her telling Potter all about it. Thinking quickly, he had to find someway to salvage this. "Hermione," he began, looking at her with a sheepish smile. "I don't know what got into me. There's...something happened recently that's had me a little down lately and tonight was the first night I've actually laughed in awhile."

"What was it?" Hermione couldn't help but ask; still keeping her distance.

Gordon took a deep breath and tried to make himself appear sad and lost, hoping she'd buy his act. "Skylar and I broke things off recently," he said quietly.

"You did?" she asked in surprise.

Gordon nodded morosely. "She was actually seeing someone else and I found out about it when I went to visit her at the book shop. I-I really cared about her and she..."

"Oh no!" Hermione instantly felt horribly ashamed of herself. How could she be thinking such bad things things about her friend when he was going through something so rough. "I'm so sorry Gordon I had no idea!"

"It's okay," Gordon said, shaking his head. "I thought she cared about me, but I guess I was mistaken." He exhaled. "I've just been lonely and tonight, I just...I just don't want things between you and I to be awkward. You're a really good friend, Hermione and I don't want to lose you because of one stupid move on my part."

"No it's all right," Hermione moved back over. "What a bloody bitch she is for doing that to you!"

Gordon smiled appreciatively at her. This was working like a charm, he though silently. "Everything happens for a reason, right?" he said, trying to sound upbeat.

"I suppose..." Hermione replied. "It's just... it's such a nice feeling to be settled down. I really thought you and Skylar would be it. I'm so sorry Gordon,"

"You don't have to apologize," Gordon said quickly. "You've done nothing wrong, Hermione. It was me who overstepped the boundaries tonight and I don't know what I'd do if I lost your friendship."

"You won't," Hermione replied. "Honestly, if I'd known I wouldn't have gone on about Harry and me all night. I feel horrible!"

"You shouldn't," Gordon said, trying hard not to smile. This was going better than he'd expected. "I should feel...I do feel horrible. You and I have always been able to talk and I don't want us to have an awkwardness between us. So, although I know I don't deserve it, will you give me another chance? Are you and I okay?" he asked, smiling hopefully at her.

Hermione nodded, even though she still felt slightly odd deep down. But Gordon was her friend and he needed her support. "Of course we are," she replied.

Gordon sighed in relief. "Thanks, Hermione...for everything." He offered her his hand. "Friends?"

"Friends," Hermione smiled at him, shaking his hand. "Come on... I'll bet some rigorous studying will get your mind off everything."

Gordon nodded and as he tried to get his head back into studying, he couldn't believe how careless he'd been. He'd managed to salvage his friendship with Hermione, but another stupid move like that and he could kiss any hope of a future with her goodbye. Their moment would come and when it did, he'd be ready...and so would she.

*** *** ***

Lavender smoothed down her dress as she and Seamus rode the lift to the penthouse suite. The Montague Hotel was one of the most elegant wizard hotels and a benefit was being held there tonight for St. Mungo's. It was a charity fashion show and though Lavender hadn't contributed any designs, she was representing Madam Malkin, who was out of town.

Madam Malkin figured going to the benefit would increase word of mouth buzz about Lavender's designs and she'd be able to network with some of the bigger names in the business. She looked nervously at Seamus as the lift pinged open. "Does my dress look okay?" she asked him.

"You look fine," Seamus said, tugging at his Muggle tuxedo. "But why aren't we wearing robes?"

"Because it's a black tie event," Lavender replied. "Why do you keep doing that to your neck? Surely it can't be that uncomfortable?"

"It's a bit," he admitted. "I've never worn one of these before. This is why dress robes are so much nicer."

Lavender took his hand as they walked down the wide corridor. "You look really handsome in it," she said, winking at him.

Seamus smiled at her. "This really is a big thing for you isn't it? To meet all these people?"

Lavender nodded. "Tonight I'm going to meet people whose work I've admired for years. I used to look in my fashion magazines and tell myself that one day I'd be designing, too. And look at me now! It's really happening."

"That it is," Seamus squeezed her hand. "And once they see your work they'll fall all over themselves to sponsor you."

Lavender said a silent prayer that he was right. They stopped at the front door as a rather strange looking witch stood poised, holding a clipboard. She wore sparkly spectacles and a silver coloured dress.

"Um Lavender Brown," Lavender said when the witch looked at her expectantly. "And this is my guest, Seamus Finnigan." The witch gazed at her clipboard and spotting their names opened the door for them. Lavender took a deep breath as she and Seamus walked inside the crowded suite.

"Wow," Seamus looked around with wide eyes. "This place is enormous!"

Lavender could only nod as she took in the scene before her with wonderment. All around her people were milling about, talking and chatting. Music was coming from somewhere in the room, but she couldn't tell from where.

Her eyes fell on a woman with platinum blonde hair who was smoking a cigarette and who looked bored beyond belief. "Seamus! Do you know who that is?" she whispered excitedly to him.

"No," Seamus replied. "Some big name designer?"

Lavender rolled her eyes good-naturedly at her boyfriend. "That's Katya Datelli! She's fantastic. I can't believe she's here!"

"She doesn't look too pleased about it," he joked.

Lavender glared at him. "Of course she's not! That wouldn't be cool. All the best designers looked bored. Maybe I should try it, too?"

Seamus looked at her as she attempted a bored expression. "You look like you're trying not to laugh," he snickered.

Lavender giggled. "I guess I'll have to work on it then," she said shaking her head. She and Seamus watched as a strange bald man came up to them looking like he knew who they were. He stopped in front of Seamus. "Martin, I knew you were going to be here! Have you seen the designs that hag submitted? She is lucky they even invited her!"

Lavender tried not to laugh as a bewildered Seamus tried to explain to the man that he wasn't who he thought he was.

"Really... I'm in film school." Seamus was red faced. "I can't even draw much less design a robe..."

The man laughed. "Martin, you are such a joker! Now, I must dash, but I am not going to let you get away until I can bend your ear about the spring collection."

"I really don't know anything about the spring collection," Seamus gave Lavender's hand a hard squeeze.

The man winked at him. "Of course, you don't." He chuckled as he left Lavender and Seamus staring after him.

"Have you been holding out on me?" Lavender asked teasingly to her boyfriend. "You're actually a designer, too? Where do you find the time?"

"That would be funny if I had any idea what he was talking about," Seamus saw the bar in the corner. "Come on, let's go get a drink."

“Smashing idea," Lavender said as they made their way toward the bar. As she waited with Seamus for the drinks, she couldn't help staring around in awe at the sight before her. She'd never dreamed she'd be at an industry party like this.

Seamus handed her a glass of champagne. "What do we do now?" he asked.

Lavender shrugged. "I'd suggest dancing, but I know how you hate it."

"Want to walk around for a bit?" he asked. "Maybe someone will recognise you," he teased.

"I'm just a shop girl who’s had a few designs sell," Lavender said dismissively. "No one's going to know who I am!"

Seamus opened his mouth to say that wasn't true when a woman sidled up to them. "Lavender Brown am I correct?" her voice was crisp.

Lavender turned around startled. "Um, yes?" she managed to say.

"Veronica Fox," the woman shook back her mane of dark brown hair. "I sent my assistant to Madam Malkin's shoppe a few days ago for some basic robes and he came back with three of your designs. I was very impressed."

"YOU WERE?" Lavender asked loudly, surprised. A few of the guests turned and looked at her as if she'd sprouted a second head. "Um, I mean, really?"

The woman smiled. "Really," she replied. "I'd love to have a chat with you sometime," she handed Lavender a sparkling card. "Please owl me or stop by my office in the next few days if possible."

Lavender opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"She'd love to," Seamus covered for his girlfriend. "Sorry, she gets a bit speechless at times."

Lavender could only nod as the woman smiled warmly at her before leaving. "That was Veronica Fox, Seamus," Lavender whispered as a dazed expression came over her face. "She liked my designs."

"I take it that's a good thing?" Seamus asked.

"She's a buyer for many of the major boutiques around Europe," Lavender explained. "And she liked my designs!"

Seamus grinned at her. "And you didn't think anyone would recognise you," he teased.

"And you either, Martin," she teased, elbowing him.

"All right, you can sod off for that," Seamus scowled.

She laughed and impulsively hugged him. "I'm so glad you were here to share this with me," she said happily.

"Me too," Seamus replied. "I know how important this sort of thing is for you. I hope if I ever DO graduate, and I ever get to film a movie... that you'll be there with me." he raised her hand to his lips.

"Absolutely," she said softly. "I'll be your biggest fan. Correction, I am your biggest fan."

Seamus gave her a gentle kiss. "As I am yours," he said.

She beamed at him. "Would you do something for your biggest fan? Please?"

"What's that?" Seamus asked.

"Dance with me?" she asked him, her eyes twinkling. "Just one dance and they're playing slow music...you just have to move your feet back and forth. You can do that. And I promise I won't mention to anyone that you did."

Seamus laughed. "I'll dance with you all night if you want. But you'll have to lead."

"Deal," Lavender said clapping her hands together. As she led him onto the dance floor, she couldn't remember ever being this happy. She was in love and the career she'd always wanted was at her fingertips. If it could get better than this, she didn't know how.

*** *** ***

Harry watched in horror as Voldemort pushed his wand at Hermione, who was begging him to help her. He seemed to be stuck- something was holding him back.

“But I didn’t even know you when I defeated him!” Harry said.

“That doesn’t matter!” Hermione begged. “Please Harry, help me!”

“But…” Harry tried to run forwards but he couldn’t.

“Too late Potter…” Voldemort cackled. “Too late…” a green light burst from his wand and hit Hermione square in the chest.

“NO!” Harry screamed, sitting straight up in bed. His upper body was slick with sweat and he was breathing hard.

Hermione, who had been sound asleep, awoke as soon as she heard his anguished scream. "Harry?" she asked, concern dripping from her voice. She put a hand on his bare back. "What is it?"

Harry was still half in his nightmare and didn't register her voice at first.

"Harry?" she asked again. "You're scaring me. Please tell me what's the matter?"

His breathing finally slowed down. "Nothing," he finally answered.

Hermione wished he'd turn around to look at her, but he was staring straight ahead and his back was rigid. "It didn't seem like nothing," she said softly.

"Just a dream about Voldemort," Harry muttered. "I haven't had one for awhile."

Hermione nodded. She wished he'd turn around so she could see his face to make sure he was truly okay. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, hoping that he'd finally open up to her about this.

Harry shook his head. "It was just a nightmare," he replied gruffly.

She sighed. Why didn't he want to talk with her about this? If something was troubling him, she hoped he knew he could talk to her about it. That's what couples did, wasn't it? They talked about the good and the bad and helped each other through their problems. "I-I didn't even hear you come in tonight," she said, rubbing his back. "What time did you get home?"

"Late," he replied, using the edge of his sheet to wipe off his forehead.

Hermione wanted to offer to get him a glass of water or to get him a cold washcloth, but she knew he hated to be fussed over. Normality was very important to Harry. She was torn between feeling concern over what was really going on with him and anger toward him for not sharing it with her.

"I'm fine," Harry finally looked over at her. "Really Hermione I promise."

She gave him a weak smile. She felt like a hypocrite for feeling angry toward him for keeping a secret. She was the one who'd decided not to tell him about Gordon nearly kissing her.

Harry lay back down. "How was your night?" he asked.

Hermione froze. She was glad the lights were off and Harry wasn't wearing his glasses. "Um, it was okay. Gordon and I made a lot of progress."

"On your project?" Harry yawned.

"Yes," she said lying back down beside him.

"That's good," Harry rolled on his side, facing her.

She looked at him as he closed his eyes. "Harry?" she asked quietly.

"Hmm?" he mumbled, already slipping back to the brink of sleep.

"You know that you can tell me anything, don't you?" she asked, biting her bottom lip.

"I know," Harry replied, his speech slightly slurred. "You can tell me too..."

She stared at him. A few minutes ago, she'd been sound asleep. Now, she was wide awake and her brain was processing a million questions. If he knew he could tell her anything, why hadn't he shared this with her? She blamed Gordon for getting her on this train of thought. Honestly, she'd not really thought much about it, but now that he'd brought it up, she couldn't think of anything else. She wondered if he'd talked about it to any of his other friends, like Ron or Cho. And if he had, why them and not her?

33. Chapter 33

A/N: We didn't get to respond to all the reviews like we normally try and do (Amy's fault---she's studying for a test and that's taking up the majority of her free time so if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at her—lol, plus PK was down just as she started responding). Don't be so hard on Hermione, guys. We know she's being naive, but Gordon is someone she's known since childhood and she doesn't want to think the worst of him. We know it's frustrating, but try and understand where she's coming from. Please read and review.

Next chapter is the big Valentine’s Day fluffball ;)

Cho kissed the top of her daughter’s head as she walked down the pavement in Muggle London. She had taken to walking for a workout until she could start dancing again. She had Chiaki wrapped in a carrier that would strap over her chest, enabling her to keep her baby warm.

Chiaki cooed up at her mother and Cho was thankful that she wasn’t crying for a change. They were starting to wean her, as Chiaki would sometimes pull away quickly when Cho tried to give her milk. She also figured it would be good for when Neville’s Gran would be watching Chiaki on Valentine’s Day.

She slowed down a moment as she heard ballet music coming from inside a storefront. Cho watched with a small smile as several young girls giggled in their leotards and frilly pink tutu’s as they skipped around the wooden floor of a brightly lit dance studio.

“I miss dancing Chiaki,” Cho said softly. A gust of wind made her hair blow out behind her and hold her daughter closer to her. “Ready to go sweetheart?” she asked her daughter as she turned away from the window with a sigh. “It’s going to be a while before your Mum gets to dance like I did before…”

It wasn’t until she got home and set Chiaki down for her kip that an idea sprang into her head. And it wasn’t until she made herself a cup of tea and was sitting at the kitchen table that Cho was convinced that it was a good idea.

“I'm going to open a dance studio in the Wizarding World!” Cho excitedly told her husband when he got home that night.

“You’re what?” he asked.

“I'm going to start a dance studio!” Cho said again. “Neville… no one has opened one here, not ever! And think of the resources I could have- any sort of music I need through the Wireless, all sorts of spells…”

Neville smiled tiredly at her. “If that’s what makes you happy love, then you should go for it.” He encouraged.

“Really?” She was pleased. “You really think I should?”

“Well you’ll have to get the space of course, and set everything up…” Neville replied.

“Oh I know all that,” Cho said. “I’ve already checked into looking for some empty space and I would most likely have to take a loan from Gringotts…”

“Harry would probably lend you the money,” Neville interrupted her.

“I don’t want Harry’s money,” Cho answered. “I would rather open a studio and have it succeed on its own merits rather than have it succeed based on Harry’s name.”

“Fair enough,” Neville answered. “It’s good to see you so excited about something,” he grinned.

“Well, it’s that and the fact that Chiaki took a three hour kip today and she’s already down for the night again,” Cho laughed. “So that, Mr. Longbottom is our cue for some husband and wife time.”

“Aye, you’re right,” Neville pulled her onto his lap. “And I like that idea very much.”

*** *** ***

Gordon sat at one of the large marble tables in the library. All around him were large tomes detailing what he could find about the Adamo Infinitas spell. Admittedly, it hadn't been all that easy to find the limited information he'd dug up. He'd spent most of his nights and the early morning before classes in the library searching for whatever he could find.

Most evenings, he came up empty-handed. The past couple of nights, however, he'd managed to find an interesting book about Mythical Places in the Wizarding World that speculated about where the spell had to be performed. One 19th- century wizard narrowed the location down to one of three places before he'd died of mysterious circumstances. These three places, however, were never named. That wizard's notes were destroyed in a fire.

Bloody typical, Gordon thought to himself.

With each passing day, he became more and more frustrated at the lack of progress he was making. The spell itself was truly fascinating to Gordon. While most of his classmates in school spent their days memorizing spells and charms, he was more concerned with the why and the how of the spell. The inner workings and the history behind it were more important to Gordon and that had certainly helped him in his investigation.

He closed another of the books and leaned back in his chair. Again, nothing. He was running out of time. With each passing day, Hermione seemed to fall more and more under Potter's spell. At the rate Gordon was going, he had a feeling Hermione would be pregnant with Potter's brats before he could even bat an eyelash.

As he sat back in the chair, he remembered all too vividly the look of surprise on her face when he'd leaned in to kiss her. Why had he been so stupid? She'd not been ready for that. But, she'd looked so beautiful in the light of the fire. It was so difficult to be alone with her like that and not want to touch her and feel her and tell her how he loved her. It took an extreme amount of control not to.

Time was running out and he'd not come any closer to finding out where this spell had to take place. He racked his brain for a place where he could find the answers. He did remember hearing about a rare book store in Knockturn Alley that specialized in rare books on dark magic. Although he reckoned it probably wouldn't pan out, he had to try it. He was getting desperate and desperate times definitely called for desperate measures.

Hermione. She was all he could think about. He loved nearly everything about her. He couldn't name just one thing that he loved most about her. He liked the way her eyes lit up when she was talking about something that interested her. He loved how passionate she could get about something that she cared about. He loved her sense of humour and the way she could light up a room with her smile. And she had such a big heart. She trusted and loved with everything she had.

If there was one thing he didn't love about Hermione, it was that never-ending devotion to Potter. Gordon wasn't stupid. He knew that without this spell, he'd never have a chance with her. He'd like to have her come to him on her own volition, but it wasn't going to happen. He knew that. Begrudgingly, he'd accepted that.

Adamo Infinitas was his only chance. No, it was his last chance. He wouldn't fail.

*** *** ***

Hermione laughed as Chiaki gurgled at her from the carrier she wore strapped across her chest. “You walk like this every day?” she asked Cho.

Cho nodded. "I really enjoy it and she seems to as well so we try to go out every afternoon at least."

"That's good," Hermione smiled down at the baby. "Merlin, I really can't believe how gorgeous she is Cho. You're so lucky."

"She is pretty amazing, isn't she?" Cho asked, making a funny face at her little girl. "Don't tell Neville this, but sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to just watch her sleep."

Hermione smiled. "That's so sweet. You know, I'll bet he does the exact same thing and just never told you."

"Probably," Cho said, laughing. They continued to walk making small talk as they went and they both heard a familiar voice from a few feet ahead. The next moment two young boys came running out of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, followed hot on the heels by Ron. "What on earth?" Cho asked, as the two boys quickly ran between her and Hermione, nearly knocking Hermione down in the process.

"Hey!" Hermione curled her arms protectively around Chiaki. "Watch out for the baby here!"

"YOU BETTER RUN!" Ron shouted angrily to the two boys who disappeared out of sight around the corner.

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Hermione asked, still holding Chiaki close.

"Those two jokers decided to get a five-finger discount," Ron answered crossly. "Are you two alright?"

"We're fine," Cho replied and Hermione nodded as well. "Honestly, what a Muggle thing to do." she frowned where the two boys had disappeared. "What did they take?"

"Dungbombs," Ron said, shaking his head. "I don't think Harry and I ever acted as bad as that when we were that age."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "How juvenile. Can we come in for a bit and warm up?" she asked.

"Of course," Ron said, leading them to the entrance of the shop and holding the door for them.

"Thanks," Cho said as she followed Hermione inside. "What's been going on Ron? Any news on that flat you and Luna were looking at?"

He nodded. "Yeah. We found a place we both really like. I wanted to go and look at it again, but she had to go back to Boston late last night, so..."

Hermione handed Chiaki to Ron, who grinned as he kissed her little face. "Do you miss her when she's gone like this?"

"More than you could imagine," he said, his tone sad, but he smiled down at the baby. "But, she's doing what she's always wanted. I can't begrudge her that, can I?"

Cho gave him a one armed hug. "Well... for what it's worth we all think you're being fantastic about the whole thing Ron."

"Thanks," he said, grinning sideways at her. He noticed that Hermione had a sort of far-away expression on her face. "Hermione? Everything okay?"

"What?" Hermione jumped. "Oh... yeah everything's fine." she sat on the counter. "I... actually have something I'd like to ask you two."

"Okay," Cho said, looking at Ron. "What is it?"

"Well..." Hermione looked slightly uncomfortable. "Has Harry... ever... has he ever talked to you both about what happened between him and... Voldemort?" she said the name quietly but both Ron and Cho shuddered.

Cho looked thoughtfully at her friend. "Is he having nightmares again?" she asked.

Hermione nodded slowly. "It seemed to be a really bad one, but he wouldn't talk to me about it."

"He's always been like that," Cho said, looking to Ron, who also nodded. "He hasn't really talked about it to anyone, I don't think. Well, other than Dumbledore."

Hermione looked at Ron. "He hasn't even talked to you about what happened?"

He shook his head and shrugged. "He was pretty out of it right afterwards. It was touch and go for awhile as to whether or not he'd make it. When he finally woke up, he didn't really want to say much about it and we all figured he'd tell us when he was ready."

"But he never really was ready," Hermione finished.

"I once tried to get him to talk about it, but he became really cross with me," Cho remembered. "Told me that it was in the past and he didn't want to dwell on it and he didn't want me bringing it up either."

"Wow," Hermione was surprised. "I didn't push him into talking about it, now I'm glad."

Ron stared at Hermione. "I would have thought he'd have talked to you about it though. You're the closest to him now."

Cho glared at him. "Ron, I thought you were going to start thinking before you opened your mouth?"

"Oh, right," Ron said sheepishly. "Sorry."

"No, it's okay," Hermione forced a smile onto her face. "It's like he said- when he feels like he wants to open up about it he will."

The door to the shop opened and Ron handed the now sleeping baby gingerly back to Cho. He excused himself to go and help the customers.

"Hey, Hermione," Cho said softly. "Don't take it personally about Harry. That's just the way he's always been about this."

"Really?" Hermione got down from the counter. "I guess I just thought we would share everything... but then again being Harry Potter's girlfriend has got to have its drawbacks right? It's not every wizard who can bring down a Dark Lord."

Cho laughed, but knew her friend was still hurt by Harry's reluctance to share that part of himself with her. "Do you want to know what I think?" she asked rocking slowly back on her feet to keep Chiaki asleep.

"What?" Hermione asked.

Cho looked at her friend. "That was a dark time for him, Hermione. He did a great deal of things he's not proud of and I think a part of him feels guilty that he couldn't save everyone. It can't be easy for him to talk about that. I can't even imagine..."

Hermione nodded. "You're right Cho... I really shouldn't feel bad for myself here."

Cho grinned. "Just give him time and he'll come around. Though it pains me to admit it, Ron's right. If he'd tell anyone of us, he'd tell you. You're the most important person in the world to him."

Hermione smiled at that. "And the two of you really know what to say to put my mind at ease," she joked.

"Always," Cho said proudly. "Hey, I've got an idea!"

"What's that?" Hermione asked as Ron finished with his customers and rejoined them.

"How about we go and surprise your boyfriend and my husband at headquarters," Cho said, looking down at her watch. "Neville said they were having a late lunch today...maybe we can catch them in time. What do you say?"

"That sounds fantastic," Hermione replied. "Can you come with us Ron?"

Ron frowned. "I don't think I can. I'm the only one here today and my brothers would have my head if I left."

"All right," Hermione gave him a hug. "Come by if you feel too lonely okay? And when Luna comes back we can all get together if you want."

Ron nodded and they exchanged a quick goodbye. As Cho and Hermione walked out of the store, Cho grinned at Hermione. "I guess we'll get to see this Thackeray bloke in person, won't we?"

"You'll have to keep me from hexing him if we do," Hermione said. "He sounds like such a bastard."

"We'll keep each other in check," Cho promised.

They arrived at the Ministry building quickly and Cho led Hermione to the room where Neville and Harry's class was. Hermione smiled as she saw her messy haired boyfriend inside. "Merlin he looks so cute when he's being serious," she smiled.

Cho giggled as she looked down at Chiaki, who was still fast asleep. "You think he's cute all the time and you know it."

"You think the same about Neville," Hermione shot back teasingly.

Cho peered over Hermione's shoulder to catch a glimpse of her husband who also wore a rather serious, grim expression. "He is pretty cute, isn't he?" she asked.

Hermione laughed quietly, not wanting to wake the baby. "We're both just biased is all."

Cho nodded and they both watched as the trainees began packing up their belongings. The class was obviously over, but Hermione and Cho could vaguely hear a rather stern voice call out the names "Potter" and "Longbottom" and follow it with "extra assignment".

"That doesn't sound very good, does it?" Cho asked, standing back from the door.

"No," Hermione's eyes narrowed, her fingers unconsciously grasping her wand.

The door opened and the trainees began emptying the classroom. The last two to leave were Harry and Neville who were grumbling as Neville closed the door behind them.

"Surprise..." Hermione and Cho said together, their voices trailing off as they saw the annoyed looks on their respective other's faces.

Harry looked up to see Hermione and Cho standing off to the side. As usual, he couldn't stop a smile from coming to his lips as he looked at his girlfriend. If he'd ever needed to see her, he certainly did now. "What are you two doing here?" he asked.

"We thought we'd stop by and have lunch with you," Hermione answered.

Harry dropped his bag to the floor and quickly crossed the distance between them. He scooped Hermione up in his arms and kissed her gently. Unfortunately, this was also the same moment that Thackeray decided to exit the classroom.

"POTTER!" he boomed. "What is the meaning of this?"

Harry tensed as he slowly put Hermione down. "Nothing," he said tersely.

"This is NOT the place for you to be snogging your girlfriend," he sneered.

"We're not in class," Harry said, still holding on to Hermione's hand. "And I believe we're on lunch break. We can do what we want on our own time, can't we?"

"Not in this building," Thackeray snapped.

"Fine," Harry said, fighting the overwhelming urge to retaliate. It was getting harder and harder to keep quiet while this bloke kept pushing his and Neville's buttons on a daily basis.

Hermione glared at the older man fiercely as he turned and walked away. "Harry I want to hex him within an inch of his life," she was still holding her wand.

"You and me both," Harry said, shaking his head.

"You two weren't kidding about him," Cho said, trying to calm the baby who had awoken with all the noise. "He's horrid!"

Neville was also glaring down the corridor. "He's such a bastard. He was especially vicious today because Lupin wasn't sitting in."

"What's this extra assignment he was talking about?" Cho asked, handing Chiaki to Neville.

"Some essay that we have to write because Matt Smith is a wanker," Harry replied.

"I'm nearly afraid to ask," Hermione said. "But what did he do?"

Neville gave her a dark look. "He's got a habit of shooting off his bloody mouth a lot, and Thackeray turns a deaf ear towards that."

Hermione put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "How much time do you get for lunch?" she asked, hoping to change the subject.

"An hour," Harry replied, sliding his arm around her. "This is a really great surprise," he smiled at her. Just having her there made his day seem better.

She grinned and looked to the left and to the right down the empty hallway before leaning in to kiss him. "It's a shame we can't sneak home for a few minutes," she whispered in his ear.

Neville looked at Cho and rolled his eyes. "Save it rabbits," he said.

"Ignore them," Hermione said, giving Harry's hand a squeeze. "They're just jealous."

Cho scoffed as they all walked down the corridor. "I'm starving and I need to feed Chiaki so let's figure out where we're going." she said.

"Anywhere but here," Neville said wrapping an arm around his wife.

"I have half a mind to not come back this afternoon," Harry pulled Hermione closer as they went outside.

"You know that's what he wants," Hermione said. "You and Neville are already on probation."

"It just makes me wonder if this is really what I want to do with my life." Harry replied.

"Harry, this is all you've ever talked about," Cho said, turning around to face him. "You were born for this job and I know you aren't going to let some snivelling arsehole instructor stop you from pursuing your dream."

"You're right, I know." Harry sighed as they came upon a pub. "And it's only another three weeks until we're finished with him." he sat down next to Hermione in the booth, Cho, Neville and Chiaki across from them. "I'm just tired of it all."

"I know you are," Hermione said softly, resting her head on his shoulder.

"We'll get through it mate," Neville held his daughter as Cho dug for the bottle.

"Let's talk about something else," Hermione said hoping to lighten the mood. "Valentine's Day is coming up. Do the newlyweds have big plans?"

"Aye," Neville replied. "My Gran is watching Chiaki for us so we can have an evening to ourselves," he grinned at his wife.

"Going out or staying in?" Hermione asked.

"Staying in," Cho and Neville said together.

Harry and Hermione laughed. "No baby...what ever will the two of you do?" Hermione asked teasingly.

Harry poked her side. "I know what WE'LL be doing," he said, giving her a seductive look.

"Anyone with half a brain knows what you'll be doing," Neville joked.

Harry laughed and kissed his girlfriend on the cheek. "You make that sound so bad," he replied.

"Can we please not talk about this in the presence of an innocent child?" Cho asked, glaring good-naturedly at her friends. "You two keep this up and her first word will probably be 'rabbit'."

Harry laughed harder, making Hermione giggle and Neville started chortling as well.

Hermione looked at her watch. "Blast! I'll be right back. I was going to check in with Gordon to see when he wanted to meet for our project. I'll be right back." She slid out of the booth and went off to look for a payphone.

"He's still around, is he?" Cho asked Harry.

"As always," Harry replied. "I wish I could make him trip up in front of Hermione so she could see what a wanker he really is. She wouldn't even listen to Lavender when she and Seamus said they caught him skulking around in front of our house."

"He WHAT?" Cho asked taken aback. "When did this happen?"

"A few weeks ago," Harry replied. "When they came over for dinner one night."

"Are they sure it was him?" she asked.

"Pretty sure," he replied. "Lavender remembers him from school and she's seen him at the wedding." Harry saw Hermione coming back towards them. "More later," he said so she wouldn't hear.

Hermione gave an apologetic smile as she slid back into the booth beside Harry. "He wasn't home," she said shrugging. "I'll try again later."

Harry put his arm back around her as Cho finished feeding Chiaki. "Want me to hold her?" he offered.

"Sure," Cho said, standing up a bit in the seat to hand the baby off to Harry.

"Hey you..." Harry grinned at Chiaki as Hermione took a piece of cloth and put it over his shoulder. "What's that for?" he asked.

"You don't want her to spit up all over your shirt, do you?" she asked with a laugh.

Harry made a face. "Probably not," he grinned. He kissed Chiaki's soft head and held her up on his shoulder, patting her back gently.

"Goodness, you're like an old pro," Cho was impressed. "You don't know what a spit up cloth is yet you know exactly how to burp her."

"You do remember who he is, don't you?" Neville said jokingly. "He excels at everything he does."

Harry smirked. "And that's why you made me godfather," he replied.

"That and the fact you'd never let us hear the end of it if we hadn't," Cho said with a cheeky grin.

"Hey I'm an adult, I could have dealt with it." Harry replied, making Hermione laugh. "What?"

"You would have had a right sulk about it and you know it," Hermione said, looking across the table at Neville and Cho who nodded in agreement.

"Maybe a little one," Harry conceded as Chiaki burped.

"She's on our side, too," Hermione said with a laugh as the baby then rested her head on Harry's chest. Her heart leapt as she watched Harry with the baby. Cho was right, he was a natural at this, she thought to herself. For a few moments, she allowed herself to daydream about a day in the future when he'd be holding their child like that.

Harry kissed Chiaki on her head and gently passed her back to Neville. "I don't know how she can sleep in such a noisy place." he said quietly.

"She gets that from her mum," Neville said. "Cho could sleep through a gunfight."

Cho gave her husband a dirty look. "I don't sleep through this one's cries," she replied. "Although I don't think anyone could."

Their waitress arrived with their food just then and gasped just as she was about to put Harry's plate in front of him. "Oh! It is you!" she exclaimed rather loudly. "I didn't know for sure, but there's the scar! Oh my! I can't believe it!"

Harry smiled politely as Hermione hid her smile. "Nice to meet you," he said cordially.

"Gosh, you're even more handsome in person," she said shyly. She set the tray down absently on the table and stared at Harry. "Wow...I...wow..."

Harry kept smiling unsure of what to say, so he stuck his hand out. "Well... thanks..." he said, kicking Hermione's ankle under the table as she had started to snicker.

The young woman's eyes widened as she just stared at Harry's outstretched hand. Finally, she shook his hand and held on for what seemed like a long time as if unwilling to let it go. "This is such an honour to serve you. Wait until I tell all my friends who I waited on today. I mean this is just the best thrill of my entire life!"

Harry shook her hand graciously. "Well I appreciate that, and I'm glad I could make your day," he said.

"My day?" the girl asked incredulously. "You made my year. Possibly, my whole life!"

Cho and Neville were trying hard not to laugh as was Hermione. Thankfully, the girl seemed to remember what she was supposed to be doing and hastily served them their food, but giving everyone the wrong dish.

"Goodness," Cho traded plates with Hermione after the waitress left. "Harry has another new fan."

Neville laughed and batted his eyelashes at Harry. "My goodness and we get to sit across from him like this and he burped our baby! Sweetheart, we have to save the spit up cloth that he had on his shoulder. We could sell it to the highest bidder!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Okay, okay..." he said. "Laugh it up Longbottoms."

Cho giggled. "You should have seen the look on your face with her, Harry. It was priceless."

Harry glared at her as Hermione kissed his cheek. "I can't help it," he muttered.

"He can't help being irresistible," Hermione said defensively. "And you are much cuter in person. Those pictures certainly don't do you justice."

Harry grinned at her. "Thanks love," he gave her a quick kiss.

"Hey, we're trying to eat here," Neville teased.

"So eat," Harry said. "You don't have to look up."

Neville laughed and before too long, the two couples were engaged in their own separate conversations as they ate their food.

"Is everything really okay?" Hermione asked Harry as he snuck a chip from her plate.

"Aside from Thackeray?" Harry asked.

She nodded. "We didn't get a chance to talk this morning. You were gone before I woke up."

"Everything's fine," Harry gave her hand a squeeze.

"Aside from the tyrannical instructor, right?" she asked with a laugh.

"Exactly," Harry replied. "Maybe tonight you'd be interested in a date with a handsome and famous wizard?"

"I might," she said coyly. "Do you happen to know of any who are available tonight?"

"Maybe one," Harry stole another chip from her plate.

"Do you really think Matt Smith would go out with me?" she asked trying not to laugh. "We've never really met and all..."

Harry squeezed her side. "Not funny Granger."

She laughed. "But say that I was interested in going out with this handsome, famous wizard...what would the two of us do?" she asked.

"Have dinner, and after that..." Harry leaned closer. "I want to make passionate love to you..." he whispered in her ear.

His breath tickled the skin on her neck and she felt light-headed. "T-that sounds like a great idea," she whispered back. "Count me in."

"Great," he gave her a gentle kiss. "Love you."

"Love you," she replied. "Do you think we might have a couple minutes alone before you have to go back?"

"I could arrange that," Harry grinned.

34. Chapter 34

A/N: We are pleased to inform the masses that this is a GORDON FREE CHAPTER! WOOHOO!

Really though, this chapter is really just one big fluffball. It’s so sweet you’ll have a cavity after reading it. Make an appt with your dentist now and get your toothbrush handy.

Oh yeah- and enjoy ;) And review of course. Can’t leave that out. ;p

Cho sat in a coffee shop flipping through a magazine. Today was the big day as Neville had told her when they'd woken up this morning. It was Valentine's Day and he'd been planning for the past few days. Despite her every attempt to find out what exactly, he'd hidden it quite well from her. He'd even told her to get out of the apartment for a couple of hours while he prepared her surprise. He'd promised to meet her with Chiaki and they'd both take her to his Gran's.

She was a little apprehensive about being away from Chiaki. She'd never been away an entire night before and Cho felt a wave of guilt wash over her. What if Chiaki awoke in the middle of the night and needed her? But, she told herself, she wanted to be with her husband and he'd been more than patient.

She looked out the glass window of the coffee shop to see Neville coming toward her. He was pushing Chiaki in the pram and her diaper bag was slung over his shoulder.

"Hey gorgeous," Neville grinned at his wife.

She arose from her chair and kissed him softly before leaning in to get a glimpse of her daughter, who was fast asleep. "Did you wear her out with all your secret preparations?" she asked softly.

"Aye," Neville replied, kissing her again. "She's ready for her great grandmother and I, Mrs. Longbottom, am ready for an evening that's just the two of us."

"Are you sure we're doing the right thing leaving her like we are?" Cho asked, frowning.

"She'll be fine," Neville assured his wife. "Besides, if anything DOES go wrong, not that anything will, Gran will owl us. It's not like we're going out of town."

"Right," Cho said, relaxing. "And it's just for one night. Not to mention the fact that we've been waiting for this night for quite some time, haven't we?"

"Yes we have," Neville was really looking forward to the evening and their flat was also ready. "Shall we get going?" he asked.

She nodded, but stopped before she put her on her cloak. Grabbing Neville's arm, she shot him a stricken look. "You don't think your Gran knows what we're going to do, do you?" she asked her voice barely above a whisper.

Neville snorted. "I don't know, and frankly I don't care if she does," he replied.

"This isn't funny!" Cho said, hitting him on the arm. "I bet she does know! Merlin, what she must be thinking of me!"

"Because you're my wife," Neville said as they started walking, "She won't think any less of you. Honestly... most of our friends think we've already been intimate," he turned a bit red.

"They do?" she asked and then laughed herself. "Well, of course they do, we are the only married ones."

Neville grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. "Aye, for now." he grinned.

"Yeah, I think a few of them will be joining our ranks soon enough," Cho said with a smile as he helped her on with her cloak.

"Who do you think will walk first?" Neville asked thoughtfully.

"I know they haven't known each other for very long, but I honestly think it'll be Harry and Hermione," she said seriously.

"I agree," Neville replied. "Harry's so crazy about her. Don't tell him I told you this, but during training sometimes when Thackeray is really getting on our case, he'll pull her picture out of his cloak and look at it to calm himself down."

"He does?" Cho asked surprised. "I would never have guessed that. That's so sweet."

Neville grinned. "That's why you can't tell him. I don't think he knows that I know about it. He tries to keep it a secret."

"I promise not to say a word," she said. When he looked at her with a raised eyebrow, she hit him again. "I'll try and not say a word."

"Guess that's the best I can hope for," Neville joked.

As they walked down the sidewalk toward Mrs. Longbottom's house, Cho couldn't help laughing at the pleased look on her husband's face. "You look pretty proud of yourself," she asked. "Care to give me a hint of what you have planned?"

"You'll see in just a little while," Neville grinned.

"Not even a teeny, tiny hint?" she asked.

"Well..." Neville leaned close. "Our place looks a wee bit different... Harry gave me a few ideas yesterday at the end of training."

"Which I'm sure he was all too happy to provide," Cho said with a smirk.

"Of course," Neville replied.

"Okay, so my hints are that our flat looks somewhat different and you had some input from Harry," Cho said thoughtfully.

"That's it," Neville wheeled the pram up to his Gran's front door. As if sensing the separation that was about to take place, Chiaki awoke and began to cry. "Oh no," Neville picked her up. "Come on baby girl..." he cradled her close as Cho rang the doorbell.

"It's okay, sweetheart," Cho said soothingly, patting her daughter's back as Neville bounced slightly to calm her.

Neville made soothing noises as Chiaki began to quiet down. "There, there..." he said softly.

Mrs. Longbottom opened the door and smiled at the sight of her great-granddaughter. "I was beginning to think that you weren't going to show up," she said.

"We're sorry Gran," Neville replied. "I was running late and Chiaki just woke up."

"I can see that," Mrs. Longbottom said, reaching out her arms to take the baby. "No wonder she's crying. It's quite cold out here. You had better come on inside. We don't want her catching a cold."

Neville smiled at his wife as he folded the pram and ushered her inside. "Thanks again for taking her tonight Gran. We really appreciate it."

"It's my pleasure," she said softly. "I get to spoil my great-grandchild."

Cho couldn't help but marvel at what a change Chiaki had brought about in Neville's Gran.

"We packed some nappies and a few bottles in here," Cho said, setting the bag down on a table. "And I packed this music box we always play for her before she goes to sleep. She really likes the melody."

Neville smiled. "We shouldn't be too late tomorrow," he slid his arm around his wife.

"Maybe we should stay until she falls back asleep?" Cho suggested. "I could-"

"Nonsense," Mrs. Longbottom replied. "It's Valentine's Day and I know you two are eager to have some time to yourselves."

Cho flushed. "We were just going to watch some television maybe and have some dinner. That's all, really," she stammered.

Neville squeezed her shoulders. "Have a good night Gran," he sent her a smile.

"Thank you again," Cho said avoiding meeting her gaze. "We really appreciate it."

"It's my pleasure," Mrs. Longbottom was looking forward to spending an evening with her great granddaughter. She kissed her grandson and his wife goodbye and ushered them out, knowing exactly what they planned on doing that evening. After all, it WAS Valentine's Day.

*** *** ***

Hermione laughed as Harry led her along. “You’re Mr. Surprise tonight,” she joked. “Can’t you even give me a hint about where you’re taking me?” she asked.

"No," he said with a laugh. "You sure you can't see anything under there?"

"If I could would I be asking you where we are?" Hermione asked, turning to the direction she heard his voice.

"Right," he said, leading her along down the path. He held on to her with one hand and with the other he held his lit wand. "It's just a little bit further. Watch your step."

Hermione bit her lower lip as she stumbled a bit. "Goodness... are we in the mountains somewhere?"

"Not exactly," he said, smiling as he saw the familiar wooden cottage come into view. "Okay, we're going to walk up some steps. Just hold onto me, alright?"

"Okay," Hermione replied as his arm slid around her middle.

Harry pocketed his wand into his trousers pocket and then swung open the door. "Step, step."

Hermione giggled self consciously. "Okay can I take this bloody thing off now?"

"Yes, you can," he said, closing the door behind them.

Hermione eagerly whipped off the blindfold and gasped. "Harry we're in your cabin at Hillsdale!"

"I was hoping you'd remember," he teased.

"How could I forget this place," Hermione grinned at him. "Silly."

He helped her off with her cloak and couldn't resist whispering in her ear, "Tomorrow morning just remember that you don't have to sneak out of here."

Hermione laughed. "Is this place all closed up for the winter?" she asked.

"Aye," Harry answered, smiling as he watched her take in the sights around her. He'd made sure to decorate it just as she'd remembered with a few special touches like candles and of course he'd added a fireplace. "But I happen to know the security guards Vernon pays to watch the place and they did me a favour."

Hermione laughed. "It's a very good surprise," she said in a sultry voice.

"So you're pleased?" he asked, coming up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Of course I am," Hermione replied, leaning back against him. "Our first Valentine's Day together in the first place we made love..."

"And where I told you I loved you," he said, kissing her neck.

Hermione turned around with a grin. "So does that mean we need to go to the dance studio? Because if I recall correctly, that's where I first told you that I loved you too."

"Yes, it was," he said grinning. "But Dursley uses the studio to store furniture over the winter. And the lake is out too, unless you want to freeze to death."

"Darn," Hermione wound her arms around his neck. "Guess we're stuck here then," she said softly, her face nearing his.

"Guess so," he said before bringing his lips to hers. "I love you so much, Hermione."

Hermione kissed him back eagerly. "I love you so much too, Harry..." she whispered. Tears came to her eyes as she ran her fingers through his hair. "I don't know what I'd do without you..."

"Hey," he said, brushing a tear from her cheek. "You're never going to lose me, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione pressed her face to his shoulder as his arms hugged her tightly. "It's just a bit overwhelming at times how I feel about you."

He smiled and kissed the top of her head. "Is that good or bad?"

"Very good," Hermione held him closer.

"As much as I'd like to hold you like this all night, I had a great dinner prepared for us," he said softly, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You made it?" Hermione asked, kissing him gently before pulling away.

He shook his head. "No, but catered by your favourite Italian restaurant and mine."

Hermione laughed. "You know me too well by now," she replied.

It was taking all he had not to take her right now. He hadn't seen her dress before they'd left their home earlier. She'd been wearing her cloak when she'd come downstairs. Now that he'd had the chance to see her properly, he was finding it a little hard to string together the right words for a coherent sentence.

Hermione was wearing a pale pink slip dress, it had been cold wearing it as they walked to Harry's cabin but as she saw the look in his eyes she knew it was worth it. "What are you looking at?" she asked in a low voice.

"You," he said huskily. "You look...wow."

Hermione smiled. "Your reaction says it all," she laughed softly.

"Good thing I didn't see you in that before we left," he said with a laugh. "We'd never have left the house."

"Letch," Hermione replied, sitting down. "You act as if you're sex starved."

"I meant that as a compliment, Hermione," he said grinning at her. "And it has been...two days, I believe since we have..."

"Oh..." Hermione straightened up. "Well... if you put it that way..."

"I accept your apology," he said taking his seat.

"Apology?" Hermione tipped her head to the side, letting her long hair swing over her shoulder. "I didn't hear any apology."

"Oh well, I guess I was a bit presumptuous," he said grinning wickedly at her. "You can go ahead and apologise for calling me a sex-starved lunatic."

"If you're a sex starved lunatic then so am I, Potter," Hermione replied archly.

"So I guess we deserve each other then?" he asked.

Hermione shook her head with a smile. "I guess you could say that," she teased.

"Okay, okay," he said, smiling across the table at her. "Ready to eat?"

"Sure," Hermione agreed, giving his hand a squeeze.

He was staring at her as the light from the candle on the table illuminated her features. "Um, what was I going to do exactly? I sort of forgot."

Hermione laughed. "You were talking about dinner," she said.

He nodded. "Right, right. Okay. Dinner for two."

He retrieved his wand and tapped each of their plates and magically their two entrees appeared before them. "I hope you don't mind, but I assumed you'd want the manicotti."

"That's perfect," Hermione leaned over the table and gave him a kiss.

Harry poured them both glasses of wine. "Do you think we should toast?"

"Of course," Hermione picked up her glass. "To us," she said.

"To the most important person in my life," he said, raising his glass to her.

"And the most important person in mine," Hermione brushed her glass against his.

They tucked into their food and enjoyed the meal, the wine and each other. Harry had just poured himself another glass of wine when he felt Hermione's foot inching up and down his leg. "You're not making this very easy, you know."

"Making what easy?" Hermione toyed with one of the straps of her slip dress.

"Are you saying you're not trying to drive me wild by toying with your straps there or doing what you're doing with your foot right now," he answered.

Hermione licked her lower lip. "Maybe," she answered coyly.

"Maybe my arse,'" Harry said with a laugh. "You know exactly what you're doing!"

Hermione grinned. "Are you saying you don't like it Potter?"

"I definitely didn't say that," he said as her foot again travelled up his leg. "I'm just saying that I had this evening all mapped out for us and if you keep doing that it'll ruin the whole schedule."

Hermione began to laugh. "You have our Valentine's Day evening scheduled?"

"You rubbed off on me a little," he admitted.

Hermione leaned forward. "Well tell me then, what's next on your master plan?" she asked, keeping her voice husky.

"After dinner, I planned on dessert...tiramisu. And then I was going to give you your present and then I thought we'd listen to some music..."

"You bought me a present?" Hermione asked, turning red. "I didn't know we were doing presents Harry!"

"I guess this means you didn't get me anything?" he asked, pretending to be hurt.

"I'm sorry!" Hermione was ashamed. "Harry if I'd known--"

"Easy, love," he said quickly. "It's okay. Being with you is present enough. Seeing you in that dress...well that's all I needed tonight. Really."

"I feel just awful," Hermione looked down at her hands. "Honestly..."

"Maybe this will make you feel better," he said, standing up and walking over to the bed where he'd laid both their cloaks. He pulled a small, wrapped package out and handed it to her. "Happy Valentine's Day," he said, taking his seat again.

Hermione took the gift and carefully ripped open the paper. She opened the small jewellery box and gasped. "Oh Harry it's gorgeous!"

He smiled, pleased that she liked the gift. "It's a match for your earrings and necklace I already gave you."

Hermione teared up again. "That's so sweet of you," she lifted the diamond bracelet out of the box. "Harry you're spoiling me with all this jewellery."

Harry smiled again. He thought briefly about telling her of what Ron had said when he'd shown him what he'd bought for Hermione. Ron had teased that with the necklace, bracelet and earrings, Harry must be working his way up to the inevitable ring. He decided not to mention that just yet, because in a way that was true.

"I absolutely love it," Hermione held her wrist out so he could help her fasten it. "Thank you so much."

"You're very welcome," he said softly, holding on to her hand. "Um, I know I said dessert was next, but I was wondering if you'd dance with me?"

Hermione smiled at him. "I'd love to," she replied.

He stood up from his chair and walked around the table. "How about you choose the music? I brought along some CD's," he said offering her a hand to help her from her chair.

"You mean you don't have the songs on schedule?" she teased.

He laughed. "No, I'm not that organized yet."

Hermione giggled. "Guess I need to rub off on you some more," her double entendre was not missed.

"I'm all in favour of that," he said winking at her.

Hermione was still smiling as she looked through the CD's. She picked one that had some Latin salsa beats on it, as that was her favourite music to dance to. "Okay," she replied.

"Good choice," he said taking the CD from her and placing it in the player. "Ready?"

"Always," Hermione replied.

As the music filled the room, Harry pulled Hermione to him and they began to move.

Hermione wound her arms tightly around his neck. "You want to know something funny?" she asked.

"Sure," he replied.

"That first time I danced with you..." Hermione smiled at the memory. "You were pressing against me just like this..." she began to giggle.

"Yeah...?" he asked confused. "You're killing me, Granger."

"Let's just say I thought you were very well endowed," Hermione grinned at him. "And then I got to find out just a few short weeks later..."

Harry laughed. "So, I guess that played a part in your agreeing to help us out?"

Hermione swatted his shoulder. "No, because by then I thought I'd blown any chances I had with you."

"You did?" he asked surprised. "I'll have you know that you had me intrigued from the first day I saw you. I'm sorry that I acted like such a prat to you then. I don't know why you put up with me sometimes."

"Hmmm..." Hermione put on a pensive face. "I'm not sure either..." she laughed

"You scared me for a minute!" he said laughing as he decided to tickle her in retaliation.

"Hey!" she squealed. "Harry!"

"Is this bothering you?" he asked, grabbing her waist and as he did so, they tumbled onto the bed, both laughing hysterically.

"This isn't," Hermione said coyly.

Harry reached a hand up and slowly pulled one of her straps down and caressed the soft skin of her shoulder with his hand.

"Kiss me," Hermione said, her fingers tracing over his face.

He put a hand to the nape of her neck and brought her down on top of him and nipped at her bottom lip before kissing her soundly. "I guess we're going to have to move some things around on the schedule," he whispered when they broke apart.

Hermione grinned. "I'm definitely not leaving this bed anytime soon," she guided his hands to her other strap.

"Good," he said, pushing her strap down and planting kisses along her neck and shoulder. "Do you have any idea how beautiful you are?"

"How about you tell me," Hermione purred. "And after that I'll show you how handsome I think you are..."

"Oh will you now?" he asked, grinning at her. He caressed her cheek with his hand. "You are beautiful and wonderful and you have way too many clothes on at the moment."

"Well then it sounds like the handsome, charming man on top of me needs to take them off." Hermione replied, arching her back.

Harry obliged, reaching around her back to unzip her dress. Hermione helped him pull it off her and then reached up to unbutton his shirt. Not able to wait for her to finish, he leaned down and kissed her again.

Hermione managed to pull off his shirt and work on his trousers as he slipped her dress down. She was only wearing knickers and Harry had only his boxers on within the next few minutes.

"Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with clothes," he said, tracing circles on her stomach with his finger.

"So the rest of the world doesn't get jealous?" Hermione joked.

He laughed. "Good point."

Hermione brushed her lips over his again as his hands wandered over her body.

"And you said you didn't get me a present," he said softly.

"I didn't," Hermione was confused.

"You're about to," he grinned cheekily at her.

Hermione laughed. "Don't ever change Harry,"

"Okay," he said, smiling at her as he slid out of his boxers and then worked on sliding her knickers off as well.

Hermione moaned in pleasure as Harry moved back on top of her, kissing over her body. Her hands slid into his hair again as he pushed his way inside of her.

"Happy Valentine's Day," he whispered.

"Happy Valentine's Day Harry..." Hermione breathed.

*** *** ***

Luna had almost missed her portkey home, but luckily managed to make it just in time. She and Ron had planned on using their free weekend at the Bed & Breakfast for Valentine's Day and she was looking forward to some alone time with him.

They'd just checked in and were settling into their room. She was quite tired from a busy week, but she wasn't going to let that ruin their weekend.

"Hey did you see this great menu?" Ron was already busily checking what food was available.

Luna giggled. "See anything you like?"

"Everything looks good to me," Ron replied, his eyes bigger than his stomach.

Luna shook her head in disbelief. "This from the man who ate the entire box of chocolates he gave me just a few minutes ago."

"I'm a growing boy," Ron grinned.

“Still?" she asked, coming up behind him and putting her arms around his waist. She peered over his shoulder at the menu. "Oh! They have chocolate cheesecake!"

Ron licked his lips as he continued to peruse the menu. "I don't know how I'm supposed to pick only a couple of things," he moaned.

"Well, this is all expenses paid," Luna said. "Remember? You don't have to pick just a couple of things."

"That's right," Ron's eyes lit up. "I can have the whole menu and it comes out of Harry's vault."

"Not going to go easy on him, are you?" she teased.

"Of course not," Ron finally set the menu down.

Luna laughed as she resumed unpacking her things again. "You want to hear something funny?"

"Sure," Ron replied.

"This is the first Valentine's Day where I've had a boyfriend," Luna said winking at him. "Unless you want to count little Christopher Keller who kissed me on the cheek when we were five. Of course, he just wanted to look up my skirt."

Ron laughed. "Well we'd best make this memorable," he pulled her onto the bed. "I'm glad we were finally able to sneak away."

"You and me both," she said happily. "I've been thinking about this all week."

"Me too," Ron replied.

Luna smiled and kissed him. "So...what all do you have planned for us? Other than eating everything on the menu, of course."

"Hmmm..." Ron kissed her back. "Just being together. I hope we won't have any bloody interruptions."

"I don't think we will," she said. "And as a special present to you, I've shut my mobile off. Any calls will go straight to voicemail."

"Perfect," Ron leaned in and kissed her thoroughly.

"I guess I should shut my phone off more often then," she said breathlessly.

"I agree with that Ms. Lovegood," Ron stroked her hair.

"I wish we could have brought Paddington along," Luna said sadly. "My own dog and I haven't seen him in so long."

"He's good," Ron replied. "He's gotten so big, I can hardly lift him anymore."

"If I keep sending him off to your mum's, one of these days, she's not going to let me have him back," Luna said.

Ron laughed. "If he eats any more of her plants out in the garden then I might not be able to bring him there anymore."

Luna turned on her side and sat up. She placed a hand on Ron's chest. "Oh, no! Is he really doing that?"

"Yeah," Ron replied. "It was hilarious- he scared off all the gnomes."

"Your mum wasn't terribly upset was she?" Luna asked concernedly. "I want her to like me and if my dog is eating all her plants..."

"No she wasn't too mad," Ron replied.

Luna relaxed. "Good, I don't know what I'd do if she didn't like me."

"She loves you!" Ron replied. "Almost as much as I do."

"You love me, eh?" she asked teasingly.

"Just a little," Ron smirked.

"A little?" she asked, punching him in the stomach.

"Okay... I love you a lot," Ron laughed. "You know that, Loony."

"You call me that again, I'm going to start calling you Ickle Ronniekins, which I know you adore," she said with a smile.

"Coming from you it sounds fine," he said. "You can call me anything you want as long as it's not late for dinner."

Luna winced. "Oh that was bad, Ron. Even for you."

"I'm working on an empty stomach," Ron replied. "Plus I haven't seen you all week. So give me SOME credit."

"Okay, okay," she said, sitting up and retrieving the menu from the bedside table. "What should we start with?"

"I don’t know," Ron kissed the side of her neck. "You choose for both of us."

"Okay," she said, looking at the menu. "Hmmm... how about beef stew and vegetables? And look at this...they have fresh sourdough bread, Ron!"

"Sounds great," Ron murmured, his lips still attached to her skin.

She smiled and decided to have some fun with his obviously distracted state of mind. "How about this...spiders covered in cranberry sauce with a mint garnish?" she asked.

Ron jerked away. "Where are the spiders?" he demanded, nearly falling off the bed.

"You were listening!" she said laughing. When she saw the stricken look on his face, she patted his arm. "Oh, quit being such a baby! There are no spiders in here!"

"Not funny," Ron was less than amused. "You aren't the one who had dreams of spiders making you tap dance!"

"W-what?" she asked, trying not to laugh. "You never told me about that!"

"Well it was horrible," Ron said sourly.

"I'm sorry," she said sincerely. "I didn't mean it." Scooting closer to him on the bed, she ran her hand down his arm. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"Hmm..." Ron pulled her as close as possible. "I'm sure there might be something..."

"How about this?" she asked, kissing him softly as they both fell back onto the bed. "Or this?" she asked, sneaking a hand under his shirt.

"It's working Lovegood," Ron laughed.

"Is it?" she asked, kissing him again.

“Mmhmm..." Ron replied, letting his tongue wander into her mouth. "I'm so glad we're here right now," he said softly, his fingers tangling in her hair.

"Me too," she breathed. "I've missed waking up next to you and going to sleep with your arms wrapped around me."

"Soon enough we can do that whenever you're home," Ron replied. "We're so close to getting that flat."

"Just another month, right?" she asked dreamily.

"That's all," Ron grinned at her. "And we'll actually have our own place. I can hardly believe it myself..."

"Our own place," Luna repeated. "Yours and mine...and Paddy's of course."

"Of course," Ron replied. "Wouldn't be home without that little devil there."

"Who would have ever thought that you would be about to move in with me?" she asked him. "Merlin, you never spoke more than 10 words to me at Hogwarts and look at us now."

"I know," Ron turned on his side as she moved off him. "I'm really glad you and I got together. You're the best part of my life, you know that?"

"And you're the best part of mine," she said shyly. "The girls in the office roll their eyes every time I bring up Ron this and Ron that..."

He laughed. "You talk about me that often aye?"

“Just a little," she admitted, blushing. "I promise not to mention the spider thing though."

"That's good," Ron teased. "Wouldn't want to have your friends thinking you're dating a Hufflepuff."

"Yeah...they might wonder why you were sorted into Gryffindor...Mr. Brave," she teased back. "Spiders really tried to make you tap dance?"

"Don't ask," Ron said gruffly, pressing his mouth back on hers.

*** *** ***

Seamus leaned back on his sofa and groaned. "I can't believe of all weekends I had to be sick on this one," he whined. "Stupid bloody Wizarding flu!"

"Chicken soup coming right up," Lavender called from his small kitchenette. "Uncle Robert made it and told me how to heat it up for you."

"Great," Seamus said glumly. He'd been looking forward to this evening- it being Valentine's Day and he finally had a reason to celebrate, and he was sick. "I have the worst luck." he moaned aloud.

"Seamus," Lavender called out brightly as she placed two bowls of hot chicken soup on a serving tray. "It's okay. We're still spending the holiday together." She walked into the living room carrying the tray. She set it down on the coffee table. "Besides, you look rather cute in your dressing gown and your hair all mussed up and those flushed cheeks. Kind of turns me on," she teased.

Seamus attempted a smile. "Well at least one of us feels good enough for that," he replied.

Lavender giggled. "Okay, I took a chance that you'd want soda. It sort of goes better with soup than pumpkin juice."

"Thanks," Seamus replied as his girlfriend passed him the bowl of steaming soup. "Your uncle is a great cook." he said after he'd eaten a few spoonfuls.

"If it wasn't for him, Aunt Elinore and I'd go hungry," Lavender said.

Seamus's smile was more genuine this time. "Well... the evening isn't a total loss right? Like you said, we're still here together."

Lavender smiled. "Right and Valentine's Day is just another day really. Why is it more important than any other? Who needs to go out to some posh restaurant and exchange silly presents? Not me, for one."

"Well if you're going to put it that way then I'll just take the gift I bought you back to the store..." Seamus began.

Lavender had a spoonful of soup at her mouth when she froze. "Gift?" she asked, trying to curtail her excitement. "I mean, you got me a present? How? You've been sick!"

"I bought it back in January," Seamus replied, hiding his smile. "You know... just trying to be prepared for what I thought would be a very romantic night." he coughed. "And then I got sick..."

"Seamus," she said softly. "It's not your fault. You didn't mean to get sick, did you?"

"Of course not," Seamus replied. "I blame it on those wankers at school really..."

"How is it their fault?" she asked.

"It just is," Seamus replied. "They're the idiots who flooded my set and I had to walk around in wet clothes, which is probably how I caught this."

"Oh," Lavender said, nodding. "Well, it has been going around. Hermione had it, too."

"Yeah, who could forget that?" Seamus shook his head. "Well..." he reached back on the table and handed her a flat, wrapped package. "Tell me what you think of that."

She beamed at him. "I'm sure whatever it is, I'll love it."

Gingerly, she took the package from him and opened it slowly. When she pulled the wrapping paper back, she gasped. "Is this what I think it is?"

"One of those new sketchbooks," Seamus said. "It's charmed for you designers..."

Lavender cupped her hand over her mouth. "You don't know how long I've wanted one of these!"

Seamus smiled thinly. "Guess I did good then aye?" he asked, laying his head back on the pillow.

"You did great!" she said, kissing him on the cheek. "I wish I could kiss you properly."

"Sooner or later," Seamus replied. "At least I'm not contagious or you wouldn't even be here now."

Lavender set her sketchpad down. "I have something for you, too."

"You do?" Seamus struggled to sit back up as he put the bowl of soup on the table behind him.

"Yes, I do," she said, getting to her feet and walking to the door where she'd set down her bag. She picked up the wrapped canister and walked back over to the couch. "You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find this."

Seamus unwrapped the gift. "You gave me a cardboard roll?" he teased.

"No, silly," she said scowling at him.

Seamus pulled a poster from inside the roll. "You got me a poster from Psycho?" his jaw fell in disbelief.

"I know how you're into that Hitchcock bloke and I thought you'd like an original poster," she replied. "I found this old shop in Surrey that specializes in them. You'll have to come with me sometime so you can check it out."

"This is fantastic!" Seamus was in awe. "You're the absolute best you know that?"

She grinned. "I am pretty great, aren't I?"

Seamus laid back as Lavender took the poster and put it back in the cardboard roll. "You're certainly being great tonight," he said.

"You'd do the same for me if I was sick," she said, fluffing his pillow.

"I would," Seamus pulled the soup around on his lap again. "We'd be right here, except you'd be on the sofa instead of me."

"I'd be the one moaning instead of you," she teased.

Seamus chuckled as he finished off his soup. "What do you want to do for the rest of the night?" he asked, blowing his nose with a tissue.

"Your choice," she said. "If you'd rather just rest don't let me stop you."

"I want you to stick around," Seamus replied.

"I'd still stay," she said, patting his arm. "I'd just watch some telly or do some sketches while you rested."

"We can watch a movie," Seamus said. "I just bought some new ones. You pick whatever you want."

"Okay, but you should probably rest," she lectured. "You're supposed to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest."

"I can rest and watch a movie," Seamus said defensively.

"Okay," she said quickly. "I just want you to get better is all."

"I'll be all right soon," Seamus said. "And then we're going to celebrate this holiday properly."

"You've got yourself a date," she said

Seamus smiled as he lay back again on his pillows. "What movie are you picking?" he asked.

She scanned through his collection. "You have so many, Seamus!"

"I know," he replied. "Just pick one."

"Okay, okay," she said, turning back around to look at the DVDs again. "You know you're kind of a grouch when you're sick."

"I'm not being grouchy!" Seamus protested.

"You are so being grouchy," she said. "All blokes get like this when they're sick."

"You girls get the same way," Seamus replied as she stood back up.

"We do not," Lavender protested. "Blokes can have something as simple as the common cold and they act as if they're dying."

"Yeah well the Wizarding flu packs quite a punch," Seamus grumbled.

"I know it does," Lavender said as she finally chose a movie and placed it in the DVD player. She settled back down on the sofa and took a spare pillow and placed it on her lap. "You can rest your head on my lap if you want."

"Okay," Seamus laid his head down and she began stroking his hair. "That feels good," he said, closing his eyes.

She could tell he was going to fall asleep soon. "Hey, Seamus?" she asked softly. "I just want you to know that this may not have been what either us had planned for this evening, but I can say without a doubt that this was the best Valentine's Day I've ever had."

"Me too," he mumbled, stifling a yawn. "I really love you." he reached back for her free hand.

"Just rest, love," she said, taking his hand in hers. "I'll be here."

*** *** ***

Neville felt quite nervous as he led Cho up the staircase to their apartment. The moment he'd been waiting for was going to happen tonight and he felt quite apprehensive about it. Not because he didn't want to be with his wife---because he did, more than anyone could imagine. No, he was nervous because he was worried that he wouldn't know what to do. What if he messed up and Cho laughed at him?

She'd been talking most of the way back, mostly about the baby and how worried she was leaving the baby for the first time. He hadn't said much to her, only a few words of encouragement. He wondered if she could sense how nervous he was. He hoped not.

"Here we are," he said as he pulled his keys from his cloak pocket. His hands were shaking as he opened the door.

Cho peered inside. "Show me what you did," she smiled at her husband. "I can't wait to see it!"

He held the door open for her and hoped she wouldn't think he'd gone overboard. He'd wanted their first time together to be special. He'd set up a table in the living room with her favourite dishes, kept warm by a special heating charm. The lights were dimmed and the apartment was mostly lit from the tapered candles he'd scattered here and there. Neville closed the door behind them and he felt a pang in his stomach when he realized she hadn't said anything yet.

"What?" he asked. "You don't like it?"

"This looks amazing," Cho breathed. "Neville I can't believe you did this all for me!"

He smiled. "It's our first Valentine's together. Well, it's the first for a lot of things, actually."

"Yes it is," Cho teased, giving him a kiss. "I've been looking forward to this evening for the past few weeks."

"I've been looking forward to this since we were married," he said with a wry grin. He helped her off with her cloak.

Cho turned around with a sly smile. "Have you now, Mr. Longbottom?" she asked, letting her hand creep up his chest.

"You have no idea," he said huskily.

Cho kissed him again, more passionately this time. "I love you," she whispered when they pulled apart, her arms sliding around his neck.

Neville grinned goofily at her, having momentarily forgotten how to speak. "Um...uh...well..."

Cho laughed. "Come on now... what else have you got planned for this evening?"

He took her hand and led her to the table. "I thought we'd start with a romantic dinner and then..."

"You made us dinner?" Cho asked.

"Yes, I did," he said, helping her with her chair. "I know you're on a diet, but I hope that you'll indulge tonight because I made your favourite bruschetta with grilled vegetables."

"You are absolutely fantastic!" Cho sat down and spread her napkin over her lap.

"I nicked the recipe from this restaurant I went to Florence," he said smiling at her as he took his own seat.

Cho waited until he had served her and took a bite. "It's delicious!" she said. "I didn't know you were such a good cook!"

"I've been holding out on you," he admitted. "I promise once training lets up, I'll cook more often."

She laughed again. "All right," she agreed. "But in the meantime perhaps I can learn a thing or two in the kitchen."

"Cho, sweetheart...I love you, but you can't even make toast without nearly burning the house down," he said trying not to laugh. "You do remember the great birthday cake debacle?"

"You and Harry are always reminding me about that," Cho glared at him. "And if you don't watch out I'll make you some toast and make you eat every last bite!"

"Okay, okay," he said quickly. "Would the lady fancy a glass of wine?"

"I think I would," Cho said. "I've missed the taste of wine."

Neville grinned as he poured both of them a glass. "You can have all you like. My plan is to get you pissed so I can have my way with you."

"You don't need wine for that," Cho began to laugh again.

"So you're basically saying that you're a sure thing?" he asked, teasingly. "And I went to all this trouble..."

Cho gave him a look. "It makes me feel nice to know you did all this for me," she replied.

"I'd do anything for you," he said softly, taking her hand. "I hope you know that by now.”

"Of course I do," Cho replied. "I don't know any other man who would willingly take in a pregnant woman and marry her, let alone adopt her child."

Neville smiled adoringly at his wife. "I still can't believe that we're actually married. I wake up everyday and think what did I do to deserve such a family."

"I'm the one who should be thinking that," Cho replied. "Honestly Neville, if it weren't for you Chiaki and I would probably be living in that horrid room at The Leaky Cauldron still."

"Harry wouldn't have let you," Neville said. "You and I know very well he would have taken you in."

Cho toyed with her last piece of bruschetta. "I know," she said softly. "He and Hermione were so good to me before you and I got married. You all have been so good to me. I don't know how I got so lucky to have such amazing friends... and the best husband in the world." she smiled at him.

Neville's cheeks reddened. He looked down at his plate and noticed that he hadn't eaten much. Truth be told, his stomach was in knots.

Cho got up from her seat and moved next to him. "You have no reason to be embarrassed," she said, her voice still soft.

"I'm not really," he said looking away from her. He didn't want her to know that he was nervous about the rest of the evening.

Cho wondered why he was suddenly being so quiet. "What is it?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said quickly, pushing back from his chair. "I should probably put these kitchens in the dishes...I mean, put the dishes in the kitchen." Without looking back at her, he picked up both their plates and silverware and walked into the kitchen, silently cursing himself for being such a moron.

Cho followed him in. "Neville..." she began. "What's wrong? You can tell me you know that right?" she placed both her hands on his and was surprised to find that he was trembling slightly.

"I, um," he began, looking down at his feet. "I'm--I'm...I have no bloody idea what I'm doing."

Cho's eyebrows knitted together. "What do you mean?"

Neville ran a hand nervously through his hair. "I've never done this before, Cho," he finally said.

Cho shook her head. "Do you think that matters to me?" she pushed her long hair over her shoulder.

"It matters to me," he said finally meeting her gaze. "Cho, you've been with Harry and with Malfoy. How in the world could I possibly compete with either of them? Well, Malfoy's a wanker, so I guess we could throw him out."

"And I married YOU," Cho said. "I love you, Neville; whether or not you're good at lovemaking." She laughed. "And may I just say, and I'm not trying to spoil our mood here, that Harry was NOT very good when he and I... did that?"

"He wasn't?" Neville couldn't stop himself from asking.

"Goodness no," Cho replied. "It was quite awkward and it only took about five minutes. I'm sure he's gotten better since then; I mean we aren't hearing any complaints from Hermione."

"How could we?" Neville asked with a laugh. "The two of them hardly come up for air."

Cho laughed as she wound her arms around him. "Well... think of it this way... I was with Harry as a friend- there was no romantic attachment at that point, and Malfoy... I thought he was with me because he loved me but we know how wrong I was about that." She rested her head on his chest. "Now I'm married to you and I want to be with you because you want to be with me."

Neville hugged her tightly to him. "I just wanted everything to be perfect for you, Cho. And I'm afraid that I'm going to mess everything up...that I already have messed everything up..."

"That's impossible," Cho replied. "Everything IS perfect to me Neville. Just being here with you is all I want."

He tilted her chin and kissed her softly. "Being here with you is all I want, too."

"That's good," Cho said, her lips barely a scant inch from his.

He kissed her again, this time more intensely. His hands snaking around her waist, pulling her closer.

Cho returned his kiss her fingers sliding up into his hair. "Come on," she panted after she pulled away several minutes later.

"W-where are we going?" he stammered.

"In the bedroom silly, unless you have something else planned," Cho smiled.

"No," he said with a nervous laugh. "The bedroom would be quite nice."

"Good," Cho pulled him along and once they were in their bedroom she closed the door behind her. Returning her mouth to his, she began to pull at his shirt, untucking it from his trousers.

As Cho made quick work of his shirt buttons, the nervous feelings he'd experienced early ebbed away and he felt as if he couldn't get close enough to her.

She could feel his hesitation start to wane as his hands moved over her abdomen, caressing her skin beneath her jumper. "Neville," she whimpered softly.

He smiled at her as she lifted her jumper over her head and tossed it to the floor. He stared at her admiringly before pulling her close again.

Cho pushed her husband back towards their bed. He fell on it, bringing her on top of him. Her long hair fell like a curtain as they kissed passionately, hands running over each other's bodies.

"You feel so good," he breathed.

"So do you," Cho replied, realising how much she missed being with someone as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"You're so beautiful," he said, his hands lingering on her cheek. "So incredibly beautiful..."

Cho smiled at him. "I tell you, the only reason I believe you is because you kept telling me that even when I was nine months pregnant."

"That's because you were," he said, lifting his head from the pillow and kissing her. "And you are. And you always will be."

Cho giggled. "Well I think you're very handsome as well," she caressed his cheek. "And you will always be the sweetest man I've ever met."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," he said grinning mischievously at her as he toyed with her bra strap.

"Yes I know," she purred, moving her hand down to the zipper of his trousers.

This was it, Neville thought as she unzipped his trousers and slid them down his legs. He wasn't nervous, though. He knew he was in capable hands, so to speak. He trusted her and he knew by the look in her eyes that she trusted him, completely.

"Are you ready?" Cho asked, a seductive glint in her eye.

"Yes," he said huskily.

Cho kissed him again as she began to guide him through the act of lovemaking. She had meant it when she said it didn't matter if he was the best at it- it could only get better with time.

He couldn't believe this was actually happening. For the past few months, he dreamt of what this would be like, but the dreams paled in comparison to the real thing. He loved her so much and he was finally able to show her.

Their bodies moved together as their mouths fused as one, kissing and holding one another until they both cried out at the extent of their passion.

When it was over, they lay cuddled together on the bed, both trying to catch their breath. For the longest time, neither of them spoke.

Making love had always made Cho sleepy, and she moved closer to Neville as his fingers played in her hair. "You were fine," she said, stifling a yawn.

He smiled drowsily. "That was amazing," he said softly.

"Yes it was," Cho curled in even more as her arm snaked across his chest.

"I love you," he said, kissing the top of her head as his eyes closed shut and sleep threatened to overtake him.

"I love you too," Cho said, the last thing she remembered before drifting off to sleep.

35. Chapter 35

A/N: Hmmm....it's a little funny how Gordo wasn't even in the chapter, but his name popped up in almost all of the reviews...he's the villain you love to hate, or hate to hate...either way...we've grown a bit fond of him since we sort of have envisioned him as Jude Law. And we apologize to anyone who had to visit the dentist as a result of our overly sweet/fluffy chapter. Please read and review!

Harry stretched luxuriously, his arms moving over the top of the thick cover he'd brought to the cabin earlier in the week. It had stayed warm in the room due to the fireplace and their rigorous sexual activities of the previous evening. He turned and smiled at the sight of a still peacefully sleeping Hermione. Harry lightly brushed back a few stray hairs that had fallen into her face and was about to curl in closer to her when he heard her mobile phone start to ring.

Hermione had gotten it just a few days previous, mainly to keep in touch with her parents but also so she could ring the house and let him know if she was staying out late with her schoolmates. Harry got up with a groan, not waking his girlfriend up, and dug into her bag until he found the phone. "Hallo?" he asked, careful to keep the annoyance out of his voice in case it was Robert or Elinore.

At first the person on the other end of the line didn't speak. After another pause, a man's voice gruffly said, "Let me speak to Hermione."

"She's sleeping," Harry replied. "Who is this?"

"Gordon," he responded. "I really need to speak with her. Could you please wake her up?"

Harry scoffed. "No, actually I can't. We had a late night..." the phone fuzzed briefly.

"I really need to speak with her now," Gordon said crossly. "Where are you anyway? I tried to reach her at home, but..."

"We're out, you know, being as it's a holiday weekend," Harry replied smugly.

"Out where?" Gordon asked. "She and I had plans, you know."

"You had plans?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Touch a nerve, did I?" Gordon asked icily. "You do realize that you're not the only person in her life, don't you? Her life doesn't revolve around you."

"I know that," Harry returned coldly. "I don't try and control people."

Gordon laughed. "Why don't you wake her up and ask her if she wants to speak to me then?"

"Because we had a busy night, and she'll wake up when she's ready to," Harry snapped. "I suppose if you had a girlfriend then you'd have been busy as well."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Gordon asked hotly.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Look Gordon, I'm not going to wake her up. If you want to talk to her, you'd better call her later tonight or see her tomorrow."

Before Gordon could respond, Harry angrily turned the phone off. Hermione stirred as he sat back down on the bed. "Hmmm," she said groggily. "What are you doing out of bed?"

"Your mobile was ringing so I turned it off," Harry replied, putting it back in her bag.

She yawned as she sat up in bed. "Who was it?"

"I couldn't tell... the reception up here is horrible." he fibbed.

Hermione nodded. "Come on back in here with me then," she said, pulling back the covers. "It's cold in here without you."

Harry grinned as he crawled back into bed. "Sleep well?" he asked, kissing the side of her head as she curled into his arms.

"Like a baby," she said softly. "Then again, I always did in this bed."

Harry held her tighter. "I love you," he said, his nose still buried in her hair.

"I love you," she whispered back. "Mmhmm....how long do we have until we have to leave?"

"We can leave anytime," Harry replied. "Although, we'll probably go soon- the kitchens are all closed up and there's no food."

"Who needs food?" she asked huskily, leaning in and kissing his neck.

Harry laughed. "I'm only hungry for one thing right now."

"And what would that be?" she asked coyly.

"You, Ms. Granger." Harry replied. "Just you."

*** *** ***

"And so Gordon's been at our bloody house almost every evening," Harry grumbled as he deflected a spell sent by Neville, and blasting one back in turn.

"What are they working on?" Neville asked.

"Some project," Harry shrugged. "I don't know what it's about. But I'd just like to go home for one evening and not have his presence around our place. And if he's not there, then Hermione's over working somewhere else with him." He shuddered at the thought of his girlfriend alone in Gordon's flat.

"You don't think he'd do anything to her, do you?" Neville asked, as he dodged another one of Harry's spells. "It's obvious he fancies her, but anyone with half a brain would know she's only into you."

"He'd better not," Harry replied grimly. "I'll bloody kill him if he does!"

Harry's last words were said louder than he'd intended and a few of their fellow classmates looked in his direction. "So, is she still mad at you about not telling her that he called when you were at Hillsdale?" he asked hoping to keep his friend's emotions in check.

"No," Harry replied. "I told her the phone reception was off and I could hardly hear him, which is only half true."

"He's definitely a piece of work," Neville said, shaking his head. "I can't believe Hermione doesn't see it."

"I don't understand it either," Harry said, sending another series of spells at Neville.

Neville was out of breath as he tried unsuccessfully to dodge the spells. Most of them left him knocked flat on the floor. "Harry, I know you're angry at this Gordon bloke, but do try and remember I'm not him."

"Sorry," Harry said sheepishly.

"No problem," Neville said, dusting himself off. "So, you and Hermione are doing okay, though, right?"

"We're fine," Harry replied. "We've both been busy these last few weeks but yeah, we're good."

"I'm so glad that you and Longbottom have decided to use this class to discuss your personal lives," Thackeray said coldly, coming up behind them. "As much as you like to think everyone cares about every little thing you do, Potter, you'll find that you're not as important as you think you are."

"I don't think that," Harry snapped. "When did I ever say that?" his tone was demanding.

"Temper, temper, Potter," Thackeray said, shaking his head. "That temper of yours could cost you one day. You ought to be careful."

Harry glared at him and felt Neville's hand on his arm. "What the hell is your problem?" Harry finally felt his patience with the instructor snap.

"My problem is little boys like you who think they should get a free ride because of their last name or some silly scar on their forehead," Thackeray said, getting in Harry's face. "Go ahead, Potter. You want to hit me? Go right ahead. You can check yourself right out of the program with one punch."

Harry shook his head, a snide smile gracing his face. "You know something Thackeray? We've got one week of training left until you can start terrorizing a new group of Aurors. I've put up with you this long and I will continue to put up with you because I know I can get through this. I've NEVER used my name to try and get anywhere and I'm not about to start now."

Thackeray opened his mouth to respond, but he stopped when he caught sight of someone standing in the doorway of the classroom. "Remus, what brings you here?" Thackeray said with much less bravado.

"Just making a routine check in," Remus replied mildly, looking at Thackeray and then Harry.

"The teams were just running over some duelling for their practical exams," Thackeray said, stepping away from Harry.

"All right," Remus said. "I'll stick around, I'm curious about this bunch coming into my course in the next few weeks."

Thackeray forced a smile in Harry and Neville's direction. "You're more than welcome, Remus. I'll just check on some of the other students." He walked away, but not without turning and shooting Harry a menacing look.

"Everything okay, Harry?" Remus asked once Thackeray was out of earshot.

"Everything's okay," Harry said, unclenching his fists and cooling down.

"Only one more week of him," Neville said as he watched Thackeray interacting with the other students. "

"I know," Harry stared at the instructor with immense dislike.

"You might be happy to know that he'll be transferred to Bulgaria by the end of the week," Remus said, keeping his voice low so only Harry and Neville could hear him. "Kingsley just put in the transfer orders today."

"Why is he being transferred?" Harry asked, curiously and quietly.

"There's been some question as to his qualifications," Remus said, his voice barely above a whisper. "There's some inconsistencies in his background that Kingsley dug up. He may have used some less than credible means to get into the Auror program himself."

Neville was nearly beaming from ear to ear by the time Remus finished telling them. "It's a shame we can't be there when they tell him," Neville said with a laugh.

"Can we be there?" Harry asked Remus. "Please? I'll do just about anything to see that!"

Remus couldn't help laughing. "I know you would, but technically you aren't supposed to know about this," he said seriously.

"Well at least you'll give us some details about how this goes right?" Harry asked, with a smile finally appearing on his face.

"You can count on it," Remus said with a gleam in his eyes. "And if you're thinking of using that old invisibility cloak of James', Harry...remember that Moody's going to be in the meeting as well, so I'd rethink that plan of yours, if I were you."

"Right," Harry felt much better as Remus grinned at them and moved to inspect another group

"Look at him," Neville said, motioning toward Thackeray who was talking with Matt. "The bloody bastard has no idea!"

"That really made my day," Harry chuckled.

"Too bad we can't see it, though," Neville said with a laugh.

"Might be just as well," Harry said thoughtfully. "I mean... would you be able to keep from laughing your arse off when they tell him?"

"No," Neville admitted. "We'd give ourselves away, wouldn't we?"

"Too right you are," Harry raised his wand. "I suddenly feel quite rejuvenated."

"Why do I not have a good feeling about this?" Neville asked, as Harry took aim.

*** *** ***

Gordon watched as Hermione studied intently over her notes. They'd been studying alone in her cottage for over two hours and he was on Cloud Nine.

Since acquiring her keys, Gordon had spent time in the cottage and neither Harry nor Hermione knew about it. Since the one time he’d been exposed to the disgusting sight of Potter necking Hermione, he’d been careful about making sure they would be elsewhere for a long period of time before he would come over.

Gordon felt like he knew everything about Hermione now- what sort of shampoo she used, what her pillow and sheets smelled like, what sort of clothes she liked best, what books she had stored up in the spare room; he only wished that she kept some sort of journal but any searches for that sort of item had come up fruitless.

"Sorry," he said, when he noticed she was looking expectantly at him. "What was that you said?"

"I asked if you'd finished question three," Hermione replied.

"No," he said, shaking his head and looking at the workbook in front of him. "I'm still hung up on question two."

"These are really difficult," Hermione said absently.

"Tell me about it," Gordon agreed. He wasn't really concentrating on the work in front of him. His mind was dancing with images of he and Hermione finally being together. Gordon and Hermione both were startled when they heard the front door spring open.

"HERMIONE!" Harry called out.

"Harry?" Hermione got up from the sofa.

He was barely in the living room when he saw her and he scooped her up in his arms and swung her around. His lips captured hers in a fiery kiss and he hadn't even noticed Gordon sitting there.

"What's all this about?" Hermione laughed as Harry set her down. She hadn't seen him in this good a mood since Valentine's Day.

"Thackeray's going to be sacked," Harry said happily. "Not really sacked, of course, but transferred to Bulgaria. He'll be lucky if they let him clean up dragon dung."

"When did that happen?" Hermione pulled away, not wanting to create a spectacle in front of Gordon.

"It's happening as we speak," Harry said. He explained what Lupin had told them earlier. "Neville and I wanted to see it in person, but Remus said he'd come by tonight with a full report."

Gordon cleared his throat and Harry's smile faded. "Sounds to me as if this Auror program is flawed if they're letting people train with false credentials," he said crisply. "I mean, Hermione, when you make Minister for Magic, you're really going to have to work on reforming this program."

Hermione blushed. "I probably won't be Minister for another thirty years at least. Hopefully, they'll have it in order by the time I'm in office."

"Nonsense," Gordon replied. "With your ideas and brains, there's no question you could take that office anytime you wanted."

Hermione smiled. "Well, that's just if you don't beat me to it first. You'd be great at it, too."

"I doubt it," Gordon said. "I've no desire to be Minister for Magic... especially since I know someone better is right here." he smiled at her, ecstatic at the look on Potter's face as their conversation eluded him completely.

Harry folded his arms as he watched his girlfriend and Gordon engage in their Mutual Admiration Society banter.

"You're just being modest, Gordon," Hermione was saying.

"So are you," Gordon replied. "There's no one tougher than you Hermione- you certainly proved that when you made the Daily Prophet eat their words not so long ago."

"It wasn't just me," Hermione said, winking at Harry, finally making an effort to include him in the conversation.

Harry forced a smile at her. "Well if you hadn't gotten Luna to write that article..." he finally said.

"It was a team effort all the way around," Hermione said, smiling at him. She didn't notice Gordon's face as she hugged Harry tightly.

"So..." Gordon replied. "Think we'll finish up that worksheet tonight or did you want to meet before classes tomorrow Hermione?"

She let go of Harry and looked thoughtfully at her friend. "Would it be okay if we called it a night?"

"Certainly," Gordon smiled tightly at her. "You can always ring me if you want to go over anything- I should be home the rest of the evening."

"Of course," Hermione said, watching as he gathered up his belongings. "Do you want me to walk you out?"

"I know the way," Gordon replied. "Good seeing you... Harry. And I'll see you tomorrow Hermione."

"Yeah, you too," Harry said with false politeness.

"Take care, Gordon," Hermione said giving him a warm smile.

Gordon kept his smile firmly in place until the front door had closed behind him and he was down the street. "Damn you Potter," he cursed softly. Everything had been going fine between him and Hermione until Potter had showed back up at home. Hermione was warming up to him, and not just as a friend, he knew it. She was finally opening up and seeing him as a romantic partner. "It's only a matter of time," he said, slipping his hand into his pocket and touching a silky scarf he'd taken from her closet. He lifted it out and closed his eyes as her scent permeated his nose. "Only a matter of time..."

*** *** ***

Luna tagged behind Michael as he led them upstairs to another flat, or as the Americans called them, apartment. “What sort of place are you looking for?” she asked. “I mean… that last flat was very nice…”

Michael shrugged. "It was okay, but it's a little out of my price range at the moment," he said. He looked at the piece of paper in his hand. "This one is one bedroom, one bathroom, nice kitchen, and it's close to the office."

"This is... cute...." Luna replied. It was a little masculine for her taste, and far too bare but then again, it was an empty flat.

Michael nodded. "I think with some work I could definitely see myself living here."

Luna smiled at him. "So you really think you're going to stay on?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said enthusiastically. "I think I pretty much knew the moment we arrived that this was what I wanted to do; where I wanted to be." He looked at her and saw that her mind was elsewhere. "But you're having doubts, aren't you?" he asked.

Luna nodded and leaned against a counter. "I hate being so far from home all the time... I mean, don't get me wrong, Boston has been absolutely fantastic... but it's just not where I want to be, at least I don't think I do..."

Michael gave her a reassuring smile. "You miss him, don't you?"

"Is it that obvious?" Luna asked.

"Just a little," he said with a laugh. "I've caught you staring at that picture of the two of you on your desk about a thousand times."

"I don't want to bother you about it," Luna said awkwardly. "I mean... you and I... and then Ron and I..."

"You and I are still friends, right?" he asked her. "No matter what happened or didn't happen between us, I still consider you one of my closest friends, Luna."

"That's so sweet," Luna smiled at him. "I think the same thing about you Michael." she set her bag on the counter. "To be honest, that's all what's making this situation so difficult. You and I work so well together... I don’t want to lose you as a partner yet I miss my home and my family back in England."

"You can still visit them, you know," Michael said. He certainly could sympathize with her feeling homesick, but he didn't want to lose her either. "That's one of the perks of magic."

"I know but it's just not the same." Luna replied as Michael began to look around the rest of the small flat. "I can't Apparate all the way across the ocean, I have to take portkeys and have them set up and if I miss them I miss my way home until another one can be set up. I have to go back and forth and while it's not as burdensome as Muggle travel it's still difficult... yet this is what I've always dreamed about doing. Writing for the Quibbler is wonderful, but this is what I truly dreamed of doing all my life."

"Have you talked about this with Ron?" he asked her. "Perhaps he could move here with you?"

"He can't," Luna said. "He's now the manager of his brother's Diagon Alley joke shop while they work mostly out of their Hogsmeade one... he can't leave."

Michael felt genuinely bad for Luna. He could tell this was tearing her apart and he hated to see her like this. "We're going to have to give them a decision soon, Luna," Michael said. "You heard the editors today. They really like what we're doing. My guess is they're going to make us a permanent offer soon." He looked around at the flat. "Which is why I'm looking for places to stay other than that lovely, reasonably priced motel they'd had you and I staying at."

Luna tried to smile. "You're right," she said. "I guess I'll figure something out one way or the other. Ron's being so great about this... he told me he'd support any decision I made."

Michael nodded. "If I get a vote, I hope you stay," he said giving her a warm smile. "I'll need you here to keep me in line."

Luna laughed. "Please, as if you have any troubles staying in line," she teased. "And if I'm not here to do it, I'm sure that one girl Katie that works across from your office will."

"Are you mad?" Michael asked, shaking his head. "That girl doesn't like me, Luna. She's barely said two words to me since we started."

"She's a bit shy," Luna explained. "I was talking to her and apparently she's got quite a fixation for accents."

"Really?" he asked surprised, but pleased. "I guess I'll do fairly well here then."

Luna smiled, glad to see his possible interest in another girl. "Shall I put in a good word for you?" she nudged his shoulder with hers.

"That'd be nice," he said, nudging her back. "And for all your help this afternoon, Miss Lovegood, how about an ice cream sundae...my treat?"

"That sounds fabulous," Luna replied, taking his proffered arm. "I want fudge and peanuts on mine."

He grinned as he shut the door behind them. "Fudge and peanuts, eh? I hope you realize I don't go all out like that for just any girl, you know," he said teasingly.

"That's good," Luna's eyes were now twinkling. "So that means when I talk to Katie about you, she can expect fudge, peanuts AND whip cream?"

"No, that's just for you," he said, glad to see that she seemed to be in lighter spirits. "Katie and I will have to have something else. Perhaps she might like banana splits or milkshakes?"

"Perhaps," Luna smiled. "Maybe in a week right about now if all goes well you two will be on a date."

"And hopefully she won't be hung up on her ex-boyfriend and break my heart like this blonde reporter I know," Michael teased. "Broke my heart and trampled it into a million tiny pieces."

Luna stood still in the middle of the pavement. "Oh Michael that's not what it was like was it?" she felt horrible.

"I was joking, Luna," Michael said, putting an arm around her. "You only broke my heart in about a thousand pieces actually."

"Goodness," Luna replied. "Don't tease me like that Michael!" she smiled at him to let him know she wasn't serious.

"Okay, okay," he said smiling at her. "Come on, there's a sundae with peanuts and fudge waiting for you."

"All right," Luna kissed his cheek as they walked towards the ice cream parlour.

*** *** ***

A few days later, Harry and Hermione were walking along Diagon Alley enjoying an unseasonably warm day. Hermione wanted to visit Lavender to see some of her new designs and Harry had to pick up a few things for the next training rotation that would start next week.

"Have I mentioned how glad I am that Thackeray is nothing but a bad memory?" Harry asked his girlfriend as they passed Ollivander's.

"Only three times in the past ten minutes," Hermione laughed, squeezing her arm around Harry's waist. "It's good to see you so excited about your Auror training again."

"I definitely am," he said, pulling her close. "And having a week off before the next rotation begins is even better. I just wish you had it off, too."

"Same here," Hermione leaned against him. "It's a shame our breaks are at different times."

"I'm glad you came along with me today," he said. "I feel as if I've hardly seen you these past few days."

Hermione looked up at him. "I'm sorry I've been so busy," she apologised. "But I promise this weekend, all the books will be put aside and it'll be just you and me."

He grinned at her. "What did you have in mind?"

"You'll have to wait till this weekend to find out," Hermione teased, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"I like the sound of that," he said as they reached Madam Malkin's. "I'll just head on over to Flourish & Blotts while you visit with Lavender."

"All right," Hermione gave him another kiss. "Don't be too long Harry... I want to get back home and have my way with you before class this afternoon."

"Do you now?" he asked. "I think I may be a bad influence on you, Miss Granger."

"That depends on how one views the term 'bad' here," Hermione said softly, her brown eyes glowing.

He laughed. "I couldn't agree more. So, I guess I'll be really quick in the book shop and then you can take me home and do with me what you will."

"Exactly," Hermione replied.

"Give Lavender my best," he said, as he watched her enter Madam Malkin's.

A few moments later, he was walking through the front doors of Flourish & Blotts. To his delight, the store wasn't crowded which meant he should be able to get in and out of here quickly. He pulled out a piece of parchment from his trousers pocket. Quickly scanning the list, he made his way toward the back of the store. He saw a salesgirl stocking some shelves with her back to him. He tapped her on the shoulder.

"Can I help you?" the girl turned around.

Harry looked at her. The girl looked quite familiar, but he couldn't place where he'd seen her before.

Her eyes widened a slight bit. "Harry right? I met you at your friend's wedding back in December." she stuck out her hand. "Skylar... I came with Gordon Devereaux?"

Harry couldn't stop himself from flinching at the mention of Gordon's name. "That's right," he said, nodding. "It's nice to see you again."

"So how have you been?" she asked, looking at the list in his hand. "You're still with Hermione I see- I read the article in the Quibbler."

"Aye," Harry said, smiling at the mention of Hermione. "We've both been great actually. Busy, but great. How about you?"

"Not bad," Skylar smiled as she pulled several of the books he would need off the shelf. "Been keeping busy and I'm seeing this really great guy named Kevin."

Harry looked down at her in surprise. "Kevin? But, I thought you were still seeing Gordon?"

Skylar made a face. "I hope you're kidding. I haven't seen him since the wedding... what a troll he turned out to be."

"But he...," Harry started to say. "He told us that you'd gone out loads of times since then."

Skylar looked surprised. "I wonder why he'd say something like that... honestly- after the wedding he pretty much walked away from me right outside the restaurant without even bothering to make sure I knew my way home." she leaned in closer to Harry. "I don't really know if this is my place to say this..."

Harry patted her arm. "Skylar, if you know something about him, please tell me..."

"I think he fancies your girlfriend," she replied quietly. "I mean... I don't really know that for sure, but he didn't take his eyes off her that whole night. I said something to him about it outside and that's when he stormed away from me."

"What did you say to him?" Harry asked.

"I just told him that if he was looking for a girl like her, that he should look elsewhere, because it was obvious that she only has eyes for you." Skylar shrugged. "He got so angry about it."

"Did he frighten you?" Harry asked, trying to keep his own emotions in check.

"A little," Skylar shrugged. "I don't want to scare you or your girlfriend but I think he seemed a little obsessed."

"A little obsessed?" Harry repeated. Everything seemed to be falling into place. Lavender and Seamus' spotting Gordon outside the cottage that night. Gordon's strange phone call to Hermione's mobile. Gordon hanging around Hermione every chance he could get.

"I'm sorry," Skylar said. "I don't want to cause any trouble for either one of you-"

"No, you haven't," Harry said quickly, giving her a smile. "I appreciate you telling me. Hermione's been a little too trusting where he's concerned."

"Okay," Skylar finished ringing up his books. "Well... I don't know him very well and now that I went out with him once I don't know what I ever saw in Gordon Devereaux to begin with. And I really hope he doesn't cause any trouble for you both." she smiled at him. "You both seem really happy together."

"We are," Harry said, returning her smile. He and Hermione were very happy together and Harry intended to keep it that way. "Thank you, Skylar. Take care of yourself."

"You too Harry," Skylar replied. "It was nice seeing you again."

Harry took the bag from her and walked quickly back toward Madam Malkin's to find Hermione. He found her standing at the back counter talking animatedly to Lavender.

"Hi, Harry," Lavender said warmly. "What's with the sour expression?"

"Hi, Lav," Harry said distractedly. "Hermione, I need to talk to you about something."

"Okay," Hermione gave him a strange look. "Lav, we'll see you later right?"

"Of course," Lavender said wondering what had Harry in such a state, but she figured Hermione would tell her later.

Harry and Hermione left the shop and Harry pulled her briskly down the pavement. "Okay what's going on here?" she pulled him to a stop.

"You're not going to believe who I just saw and what they just told me," he said, leading her toward a bench.

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"Skylar," Harry replied. "Did you know that she and Gordon only had one date? The way he talked, you'd have thought the two of them were on the verge of being engaged, but...why are you looking at me like that?"

"Why on earth were you talking to HER?" Hermione wore an expression of disgust. "She was probably trying to cheat on her current boyfriend with YOU."

"What?" Harry asked in disbelief. "What are you talking about? I ran into her in the shop. She helped me find my books and she told me she was seeing this new bloke named Kevin. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to hear this. She, however, was quite surprised to hear that we thought she and Gordon were still dating."

"Well who are you going to believe, this girl that you've met twice in your life or Gordon, whom you've known for awhile now?" Hermione crossed her arms, readying herself for another argument about her friend.

"I don't know him at all, Hermione," Harry said crossly. "And from what Skylar told me, I don't think you know him as well as you think you do. He's been lying to you all this time."

"Gordon wouldn't lie to me," Hermione replied coolly.

Harry shook his head. The last thing he wanted to do was fight with her, but he couldn't understand her blind faith in someone who obviously didn't deserve it. "He's done nothing, but lie."

"Where's your proof?" Hermione asked, her tone becoming more and more cool. "Honestly Harry, it's no secret to me that you don't like Gordon but you could at least stop trying to feed me stories about him. I'm NOT going to stop being friends with him simply because you have it in your head that he's trying to steal me away from you!"

"You think I'm feeding you stories?" he asked hotly. "So I guess you're going to believe his word over the man you claim to love?"

"Claim to love?" That made Hermione angry. "How could you say I only claim to love you Harry Potter?"

"How could YOU say I was feeding you stories?" he asked her. "I'd never lie to you, Hermione."

That made her stop a moment. "Look, Harry..." Hermione began. "This is obviously something you and I will have to agree to disagree on. Gordon is my FRIEND, nothing more. He knows that and he values me the same way."

She was kidding herself if she thought he'd let it go just by agreeing to disagree. He intended to find out more about Gordon Devereaux. If Hermione wanted proof, he'd give her proof. "You mean everything to me," he said, his tone softer, but quite serious. "I'd do anything to protect you and keep you safe."

"There's nothing you have to worry about," Hermione's tone was also more gentle. "I'm not in any danger Harry."

Harry wasn't so sure about that, but he forced a smile for her benefit. "I hate fighting with you," he said, taking her hand.

"Same here," Hermione replied.

He cupped her face in his hands and leaned in and gently kissed her. "Ready to go home?" he whispered.

"Definitely," she said softly, kissing him again before getting up. She loved Harry more than anything, but she knew he was wrong about Gordon. Even as she thought this, the memory of Gordon almost kissing her floated back up and Hermione forced it down again. He had been nothing but courteous since then and she knew he only thought of her as a friend.

36. Chapter 36

A/N: Well a lot of you are still confused as to how Hermione can be so blind to Gordon… think of it this way- he’s not yet slipped up in front of her aside from almost kissing her, so she doesn’t quite see what Harry sees. And aside from Harry, none of her friends have really talked about what they think of Gordon.

And a lot of you are asking how long the story is- its 45 chapters long!

Again, if you enjoy it, please review!

“So Skylar noticed it too,” Ron said as Harry finished telling him what had happened with the other woman at Flourish and Blotts. “It’s funny… Hermione is so smart yet she doesn’t see this. I know we’ve all said it before but how can someone so smart not see that the bloke fancies her?”

Harry shrugged. "I'd never tell her this, of course, but I think its because she never really had a boyfriend before. She told me before we got together that blokes didn't see her like that, can you believe that?"

Ron shrugged. "So I guess being book smart doesn't make you smart in everything else," he replied thoughtfully.

"I guess not," Harry said with a weak laugh. "And then she accused ME of feeding her stories. If I didn't know better, I'd think the git put a charm on her to think everything he says is the truth."

"He might have," Ron said. "He's supposedly pretty smart isn't he?"

"Ranks right up there with Hermione," Harry replied.

Ron sighed. "Well... I'm not sure what to tell you mate..." he looked at his shoes for a moment then sat straight up. "Wait a minute!"

"What?" Harry asked.

"I could see if Luna can drag up any information!" Ron said a bit excitedly. "She has access to any newspaper she wants from anywhere in the world- I can ask her to find out anything that's in any paper on Gordon Devereaux!"

"Ron, if you could do that, that'd be brilliant!" Harry said excitedly. "If she could get me proof..."

"Well that's assuming there IS something," Ron said cautiously. "I mean... what DO we know about him Harry? For all appearances he's just your everyday bloke."

"That's what's so scary," Harry said, shaking his head. "I have no idea who this bloke is and what he's capable of. To make matters worse, my girlfriend thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread."

"No, that's what she thinks about YOU Harry," Ron shook his head. "The problem here is that she doesn't see what Gordon thinks of her."

"It's so frustrating that she thinks I'm saying all of this because I'm jealous over him and that somehow I'm afraid he's going to take her away from me," Harry said with a hollow laugh. "I swear if he thinks about harming one hair on her head, I'll kill him."

Ron grew serious. "Well..." he didn't really know what to say. "I don't think he'd go that far do you?"

"I have no bloody idea," Harry answered simply.

"Well I'll send Luna an owl, although she probably won't have time to dig up anything until she comes home for the weekend." Ron got up. "Just... Harry... don't be upset if we don't find anything on Gordon all right? Chances are he's as clean as a whistle."

Harry nodded. It was honestly taking all he had not to go and beat Gordon Devereaux to a pulp at the moment. "I almost didn't want to let her go to class today. But, I knew if I said anything, she'd just go spare on me again."

"Puts you between a rock and a hard place aye?" Ron asked.

"Yes it does," Harry said, his hands clenching the end of the counter. "Unfortunately, it's not enough for me to tell her that's he's a liar and Merlin knows what else. I've got to have proof. I've got to give her something that she can't just dismiss because he's her friend."

"All right," Ron replied. "I hope for your sake that Luna can find something for you to go on."

"I know she's been busy, but anything she could find for me on him would be greatly appreciated," Harry said. Deciding that it'd probably be a good idea to change the subject because talking about Gordon only infuriated him more, Harry asked Ron about Luna. "So how much longer before the two of you move into your flat?"

"Two or three weeks," Ron replied. "It's great isn't it? Mum doesn't want me to move out but I think it's really good that Luna and I are finally getting our place."

Harry nodded. "Ickle Ronniekins is finally growing up, eh?"

"Ha, ha Harry." Ron snorted. "You're hilarious."

"Seriously, though," Harry said after Ron had finished glaring at him. "Has Luna decided where she wants to stay? Boston or London?"

"No, not yet," Ron sighed as he leaned against the counter. "I hope she will soon, but I'm not going to step in her way to make her choose sticking around here. If she wants to be in Boston..." he shrugged.

“Her dad's here, though," Harry said thoughtfully. "Her friends are here. And more importantly, you're here. I think London will win in the end."

Ron smiled. "Well... either way, she promised me we'll make things work."

"Of course you will," Harry said encouragingly. "The two of you belong together just like Hermione and me."

"Right," Ron grinned.

*** *** ***

Neville pushed Chiaki along in her pram as Cho led the way down the street. Chiaki had been fussy all morning, but something about being pushed around in the pram calmed her and she was smiling happily up at her father. Of course, it helped that he kept making goofy faces at her. "Who's Daddy's little girl?" he asked in a sing-song voice.

Cho laughed. "I hope you don't expect her to answer you yet," she teased.

"Don't listen to Mummy," Neville said to a cooing Chiaki. "She has no faith."

"Hey!" Cho replied, reading the numbers over the doors. "I do too have faith."

"I was only teasing," Neville said quickly. "I'm glad that I have the week off and can help you scout out places."

"I think this is it," Cho stopped in front of a brick building. "I can't believe I'm possibly going to open my own dance studio!" she smiled at her husband. "Honestly... you'd tell me if it was a stupid idea right?"

"I would," Neville said giving her a reassuring smile. "But I think this is a fantastic idea. You've always wanted to do something like this and you're going to be great at it."

"Okay," Cho gave him a quick peck on the lips before opening the door. She picked up Chiaki as Neville pushed the pram inside the lobby and off to the side.

"How much does this one cost?" Neville asked.

"This one..." Cho consulted her sheet. "This one is nine fifty a month... which is one of the cheaper places but I really like it." she looked around the large room. "It's already got nice wood floors and I'd just need to put some mirrors along the walls...."

"And bars, too," Neville chimed in. "With a bit of work, I think we could make this look quite nice."

Cho bit her lip to keep from letting her smile grow too large. "Yeah it could definitely look quite nice..."

"You still afraid of getting your hopes up?" Neville asked her. "You're not going to jinx yourself, Cho. I promise. It's okay to get excited about this."

"I am excited," Cho assured him. "I just... I've had a lot of bad luck with things and I don't want this to fall into that category as well..." she pushed her long ponytail over her shoulder.

"It won't," Neville said, kissing her cheek. "I'm sure Gringotts will approve your loan application."

"Making a deal with the goblins is a bit scary," Cho laughed. "I'll definitely have to be prompt on paying them back."

"I still don't understand why you haven't told Harry or anyone else other than me about this," Neville said, taking the baby back from Cho so she could explore the room freely.

"I guess it's just part of me being nervous about having this actually work," Cho said, running her hand over the wall. "I know I'm really just being silly but I don't want anyone to know about this until I get my loan and everything is underway."

"I can understand that," Neville said, patting his daughter's back as he rocked gently back and forth on his feet. "And you'll get your loan, sweetheart. They'd be crazy to turn you down. Gran promised to put in a good word for you. I think she may be the only person alive the goblins are actually afraid of."

Cho laughed. "I hope you're right," she replied as she inspected the windows that faced the alley. "I think this place will be perfect for a studio." she imagined herself leading young children around and teaching them what she knew.

"Hey," Neville said smiling at her. "What about you give your first lesson to this little one?" He carried Chiaki over to Cho. "Do you want to dance with your Mum, my sweet girl?"

Cho kissed her daughter's soft head. "I hope she'll want to dance someday," she said quietly.

"I expect she will," Neville said softly. "It's in her blood."

She gave her husband a kiss. "And maybe I'll get you to show off a few moves as well someday," she teased.

"Oh, are you a miracle worker as well then?" he asked her. "Because I don't think you can make my two left feet do anything but step all over your delicate toes."

"I'm an expert at avoiding toes," Cho informed him as she spun around gently with Chiaki. "I'll have you know that I taught Harry everything despite what he might say about his dancing abilities."

"He's always saying it was him who taught you everything," Neville said with a laugh.

"He would," Cho rolled her eyes. "He's got such an ego."

"That he does," Neville agreed, smiling as Chiaki gurgled in Cho's arms. "Hey, I think she likes it."

"Well we might have something new to calm her down with," Cho laughed as her daughter grinned toothlessly. "She's smiling at me!"

"Either that or she's laughing about her godfather having an ego the size of Big Ben," Neville deadpanned.

"Hmm..." Cho tipped her head to the side. "You're right... we'll have to try both tactics next time she's crying."

"Better not tell Harry that," Neville advised.

"Right," Cho laughed again as Chiaki gurgled at her. "All right love... I think this place is a taker."

Neville smiled. "What time was your appointment at Gringotts again?"

"At three thirty," Cho replied. "What time is it?"

"Just gone three," Neville said, looking at his watch. "We should probably head out now if want to make it on time."

"Right," Cho replied, handing Chiaki back to her father. "Thanks for all your help so far Neville. It really means a lot to me."

"I'd do anything for you," he said, setting his daughter gingerly back into the pram. "And anything that can get you to smile like that, I'm all for. It's great to see you so happy, Cho."

"I definitely am happy," Cho gave him a lingering kiss. "I've got a gorgeous daughter, the best husband I could ever ask for and I'm about to open my own dance studio... I don't know if my life could get better than this," she leaned against him as he wrapped his arms around her.

"And you forgot to add that your husband's mean old instructor is on his way to Bulgaria," Neville added.

"As if we all haven't heard enough about that, from both you AND Harry," Cho teased.

"It bears repeating," Neville said defensively. "I just hate it for poor, unsuspecting Bulgaria. They have no idea about the horror that is about to be unleashed on them."

"Aye," Cho replied. "I'm surprised with his credentials in question that they didn't kick him out of the training program altogether."

"The important thing is that he's gone," Neville said. "Good riddance is what I say."

“Good riddance,” Cho kissed him as they left her future studio.

*** *** ***

Andrew Murphy was nervous as he stood outside Gordon Devereaux’s flat. He hadn’t seen his friend since the debacle with the unconfirmed tips, and he was worried that Gordon was still obsessing over Harry Potter’s girlfriend. He knocked hesitantly.

Gordon had been intently rifling through some books he'd found at that rare book store in Knockturn Alley. He felt he was really getting close to finding the exact place to perform the spell to bind Hermione to him forever. The last thing he needed was an interruption. At first he ignored the knocking, hoping that whoever it was would get the hint and leave.

"I'm really busy," Gordon called out. "Whatever you have for me, just leave it at the door."

"Gordon it's Andrew!" the reporter called. "Come on, let me in..."

Gordon looked around at his flat. It was a complete mess. He'd spent every waking hour looking for answers on this spell and the state of his flat showed this in spades. He didn't bother trying to tidy up before answering the door. He didn't have time for it or for Andrew Murphy.

"What do you want?" Gordon asked angrily after he opened the door.

"Nice way to greet your friends," Andrew replied. "I just wanted to stop by and say..." his eyes moved around the flat. "What are you doing?"

"Studying," Gordon said dismissively. "As you can see, I'm really quite busy..."

Andrew stared at him. "You're still obsessed aren't you?" his reporter's instincts kicked in. "You're still lusting after that girl that doesn't want you back!"

"You don't know what you're talking about," Gordon said. "She's in love with me."

Andrew shook his head, wondering why he even bothered. "Don't you see what you're doing to yourself?" he asked, pushing his way into the flat. "Gordon this is ridiculous!"

"She's my girl, Andrew," Gordon said, moving some books out of the way so he could sit on the sofa. A gleam came into his eye as he thought of Hermione. "She's going to be with me forever."

Andrew shook his head. "I don't know why I came. I thought you'd just have been going through some strange phase. You aren't going to break them up Gordon!"

"Not yet," Gordon said with a laugh. "But their relationship isn't as strong as everyone thinks it is. She believes in me, Andrew. She trusts me. Bless her naive little heart."

Real fear coursed through him as Gordon reached for a picture. "I may not be the most moral person in the world but there's no way I'm letting you do this," he said, his voice shaking. "Gordon-"

"Let me do it?" Gordon asked, looking at Hermione's photograph and using his finger to trace along her delicate features. "You're not going to let me do it? My dear friend, you have no say in it whatsoever."

"I can tell them what you're up to," Andrew replied hotly.

"I don't see how you can do that," Gordon said menacingly, getting to his feet, his wand gripped tightly in his hand.

"How do you plan on stopping me?" Andrew asked boldly.

Gordon looked thoughtfully at his friend as he stepped closer to him. "Surely you remember those spells we learned back at school, don't you? Some of them can inflict quite a bit of pain. Don't you remember, Andrew?"

"You... you wouldn't..." Andrew backed up against the wall.

"Oh, but I would," Gordon said with a glare at his friend. "I'd do anything to protect what I have with Hermione."

"You don't have anything with her!" Andrew didn't realise just what a mess he was walking into as he edged away towards the doorframe. "She's with Harry Potter! She's not with you! If she loved you then she'd be here right now and not with him!"

"SHUT UP!" Gordon shouted at him. "SHUT UP! SHE LOVES ME! SHE DOESN'T LOVE HIM! SHE LOVES ME!"

Gordon's fist smashed into the wall where Andrew's head had been just a split moment before. Andrew turned and ran down the narrow corridor as Gordon thundered behind him. He ducked into the first room he could and slammed the door behind him, struggling to lock it. "FUCK YOU GORDON!" he shouted, frantically digging into his robes for his own wand. He backed further into the room and nearly tripped over a pile of clothing on the floor.

He looked around the room in horror, realising what its purpose was.

Gordon laughed as he opened the door. "You think a lock can keep me out?" He watched the panic-stricken look on his friend's face, and let out another cold laugh. "This is Hermione's room," he said with a softer tone. "I've brought her things here piece by piece. Do you think she'll like it?"

"You're mad," Andrew whispered. "You've gone completely mad!"

"You're just like my parents," Gordon said sadly. "They thought the same about me, too..."

"What do you mean?" Andrew asked despite his now precarious situation.

"They thought I was mad, too," Gordon said, shutting the door calmly behind him. "They wanted to take me away. They thought I was a danger to myself...they said I hurt people. But, they were wrong. I was provoked." Andrew inched away from his friend as he listened to him speak. Gordon, however, stood in front of the door, a serious expression on his face.

"And they said I needed help," Gordon continued. "But I didn't need help. I needed to be left alone. Why couldn't they have left me alone?"

"You DO need help," Andrew said. "Damn it Gordon... this isn't healthy!"

"I need Hermione," Gordon said in a whisper. "She's all that I've ever needed. And you're just in the way. You want to keep her from me...just like my parents. Just like Potter. You want to keep her from me!"

"I don't want to keep her from you!" Andrew shook his head wildly.

"Yes, you do," Gordon said, stepping closer to his friend. "You want to tell them what I've done. But, I can't let you, Andrew."

"Tell who?" Andrew kept inching back. "I won't tell anyone! I don't even KNOW your parents Gordon! And Harry Potter probably wouldn't see me even if I begged..." he was growing frantic.

"I can't take that chance," Gordon said, pointing his wand at Andrew. "You should have just left me alone, Andrew."

"You're right," Andrew replied. "And if you just let me go, I swear I'll never bother you again. I'll forget that I was even here tonight!" he pleaded. "Come on Gordon..."

"No," Gordon said, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, Andrew. But it won't hurt. I promise."

Andrew stared at him, paralyzed by his fear. "What are you going to do?" he whimpered.

"I'm not going to kill you," Gordon said simply.

"What are you going to do?" Andrew asked again, tripping on the edge of the bed and falling hard.

Gordon didn't say anything for what seemed like an eternity to Andrew. When he finally spoke, he had tears in his eyes as he said loud and clear, "OBLIVIATE!"

*** *** ***

A few days later, Hermione was holed up in the bedroom, studying over some charms notes. Harry had started his new training rotation and thankfully, this seemed to have taken his mind away from Gordon and those lies Skylar tried to spread about Gordon. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a distance between her and Harry lately and Hermione hated it. She wished they could talk about this, but one or both of them always ended up angry when talk turned to Gordon.

She closed her book and was about to set it on the bedside table when she saw today's edition of the Daily Prophet. The front page story was about one of their reporters who'd vanished without a trace a few days ago. Foul play was suspected and the paper warned its readers to be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary.

“Harry will probably want to see this,” Hermione said. She was still clad in her pyjamas and didn't bother with her dressing gown because she knew Harry was alone. Or at least she thought he was. As she reached the stairs, she heard him talking.

"I still have nightmares about that night," Harry said to the head of Remus Lupin that was currently floating in their fireplace. "It's like... for awhile there I thought I was fine. Ever since I met Hermione, Voldemort seemed to be a distant memory, but now I'm dreaming about it again."

"Harry that's understandable. It was almost two years ago now at this time that you finished him off," Lupin was explaining. "It's probably the time of the year where your subconscious lets some of those details slip back through."

Hermione froze on the top stair. She hesitated for a moment. This wasn't something she should be eavesdropping on and she had a feeling Harry wouldn't appreciate it if he knew she was lurking on the stairs like this, but she wanted to know what had been bothering him. What hurt, though, was that he was able to talk about it with Lupin without any problem, but he couldn't talk to her.

"So you think they'll go away?" Harry was asking now.

"Of course they will," Lupin replied. "They always do."

Hermione could barely hear them and she decided to step down further. Unfortunately, she forgot about that middle stair that always seemed to creak.

Harry heard her and straightened up. "So can you tell me what our first session will be like?" he asked in a louder voice as he saw his girlfriend descending the stairs.

"That would spoil the surprise," Lupin said with a laugh.

Hermione clutched the newspaper to her chest. "Hello, Mr. Lupin," she said with a forced smile. "I don't mean to intrude. I heard voices."

"Quite all right my dear," Lupin smiled at the young woman. "And please, call me Remus. Mr. Lupin makes me sound old."

"You are old," Harry grinned at him.

Hermione gave a half smile. "I'll try and remember that Mi...I mean Remus."

"What are you up to?" Harry asked her as Remus bid them goodbye and disappeared from the fire.

She stared at him for a few moments before answering. "Studying...If I had known you were talking to Remus..."

"It's okay," he replied. "Nothing serious, just talking about training."

Hermione sat down beside him on the sofa. She watched as he picked up his coffee mug and took a sip. "Harry?" she asked uncertainly.

"Hmm?" he asked absently.

"I wasn't eavesdropping or anything," she said, fumbling with a stray fabric on one of the throw pillows. "But, I heard a little of what you were saying. Why didn't you tell me you were still having those dreams?"

Harry looked properly at her. "They're not that bad," he lied. "I don't want to bore you with details."

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "But you wouldn't bore me, Harry. I want to hear about it. I want to try and help you if I can."

"I don't need help!" Harry interrupted her.

Hermione touched his arm. "I don't want to upset you, Harry."

"You're not," Harry replied, only slightly unconvincingly.

"I just wanted you to know that if you ever need to talk to me, I'm here," she said softly. "If something was troubling me, you'd be the first person I'd go to. And I hope you feel the same way about me."

"I do," Harry assured her. "Hermione trust me when I say everything's fine." he stroked her cheek gently.

Hermione wanted to say that she knew he was lying. She wanted to tell him that he obviously didn't know that he could talk to her about this. "Things haven't been okay," she finally said weakly. "We've barely spoken the last couple of days and I feel like there's a distance between us and I don't like feeling that way."

Harry felt horrible as he looked at her. "Hermione..." He began. "We've both been busy..." he pulled her close. "I'm starting a new session and you're finishing up a term."

"I know," she said, as a tear fell down her cheek. "But it's more than that, isn't it?"

"Sweetheart," Harry felt genuinely alarmed. "There's nothing pushing us apart here."

"I want to believe you," she said softly. She pressed her cheek to his chest as his arms wrapped tightly around her and pulled her close.

"Why don't you believe me?" he asked.

"I just feel like there's a part of you that you haven't shared with me," she whispered. "And I don't understand why."

Harry was silent, knowing she spoke the truth. He had his own reasons for not wanting to tell her about what happened with Voldemort. "I've shared every part of myself that I can share," he chose his words carefully.

She lifted her head and looked at him. "What does that mean?" she asked gently.

Harry exhaled. "There are parts of my life that I would really rather not disclose. Honestly Hermione, you would hate me if you knew what I was truly capable of all right?"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "Harry...I could never hate you. There's nothing you could say or do that would ever make me hate you. I love you."

"I know," Harry replied, still holding her close. "I just... there are very few people in the world who would understand that part of me. I don't want to burden you."

"But you wouldn't burden me," she said. "I know I can't say I know what it was like or what you went through, but if I could help you..." He didn't say anything. She looked into his green eyes. "Look, I know you're not ready to tell me yet. I get that. I just hope that one day you will be ready to share that with me..."

"Someday," Harry relented. "Just... please let it be in my own time all right Hermione?"

She nodded. "Okay."

Harry kissed her. "I love you," he caressed her cheek with his thumbs. "More than anything. Don't ever think I could love you less all right?"

"I know," she whispered. She wondered if he knew how much it hurt her that he didn't feel as if he could tell her this. But, she didn't want to push the issue. She didn't like fighting with him. "I love you, too."

*** *** ***

It was a few days later; Harry and Hermione had gone to Robert and Elinore’s for dinner. Currently, Hermione was helping her mother and Lavender with the dishes while Harry, Robert and Seamus were in the living room talking.

“And after that, Madam Malkin decided she wanted to be my sponsor ALONG with Veronica Fox!” Lavender was bubbling with excitement.

“That’s wonderful dear,” Elinore was proud of her niece. “Hermione can you pass me that serving dish?” she asked her daughter.

"Hmmm?" Hermione asked when she felt her mother staring at her expectantly.

"That serving dish?" Elinore asked again. "Are you all right love?" she looked at her with concern.

"You've been awfully quiet tonight," Lavender tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder.

Hermione handed her mother the serving dish. Leaning back against the counter, she shrugged her shoulders. "I'm okay," she said softly.

Lavender was still looking at her suspiciously. "Did you and Harry have a row or something?"

"Not really a row," Hermione answered with a sigh. "To have a row, you'd have to talk and we haven't done much of that lately. Well, that's not entirely true. We've talked about how the weather is and how our days were. It's like we're mates instead of..." her voice trailed off as she looked at her mother. "You know..."

Lavender put down the glass she was drying. "What haven't you guys been talking about?" Elinore also turned away from the sink.

"He's keeping things from me," Hermione said, keeping her voice down.

"Like what?" Elinore slid an arm around her daughter.

Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes. "He's having nightmares...nearly every night now. I try and help him and he snaps at me that he's okay and that I should leave him alone about it."

"What are the nightmares about?" Lavender asked. "Are they about..."

Hermione nodded. "The other day I overheard him talking to Lupin about it. When I arrived, he clammed up and tried to play it off. I couldn't help it. I asked him why he hadn't told me about it."

"Who is this Harry's having nightmares about?" Elinore was confused.

"Voldemort," Hermione replied. "I told you about him, Mum."

"He was the horrible wizard trying to take over everything?" Elinore asked.

Hermione nodded. "Yes. Apparently, he's not had these dreams in some time, but they've started back again."

"I wonder why," Lavender mused. "I mean... it was almost two years ago that You Know Who was defeated."

"That's what I want to know," Hermione said sadly. "But he won't tell me. He said that there are parts of himself that he isn't ready to share with anyone. But I'm not just anyone, am I? We're in love. He should feel like he could tell me anything."

Elinore squeezed her daughter's hand. "Sweetheart... sometimes with men, they like to keep things to themselves. When your father and I got together there were loads that I didn't know about him until even a couple of years after we were together. In the scheme of things, you and Harry haven't been together that long."

"Right," Lavender agreed gently. "I'm sure when he's ready, he'll tell you. What Harry had to do... with You Know Who... I'm sure it took a lot out of him. And maybe he's not even completely dealt with it himself yet, who knows?"

"I know," Hermione said with a slight smile. "And logically, I know you're right. It still hurts, though."

"I know it does," Elinore replied soothingly. "But I'm sure he'll tell you everything you want to know sooner or later."

"I hope you're right, Mum," Hermione said, giving her mother a big hug. "You always do know the right thing to say."

Elinore laughed. "That's my job as a mother," she joked.

"And as an aunt," Lavender chimed in.

"Of course," she hugged her niece to her. "I love you both and I want you always to know you can come to me with any problems."

"You may live to eat those words," Lavender teased. All three of the women jumped as they heard yells and shouts coming from the living room.

"How can they watch that rubbish?" Lavender said, shaking her hand. "Honestly, all those blokes do is run around a field and kick a football!"

"And the guys seem to love it," Hermione laughed. "I don't understand it myself."

"Robert can sit in front of the telly for hours watching it and screaming at the top of his lungs," Elinore said with a laugh.

"Seamus would rather watch movies for the most part," Lavender said. "Guess that means I lucked out... for the most part. When he's with other blokes like he is now he likes to watch the games."

"At least you didn't make the mistake of going to a Quidditch match with Ron and Harry," Hermione related to them. "They never said word one to me the entire time and nearly left me in the stands when the game was over. This was, of course, right after Ron spilled his ale all over me."

"Yuck," Lavender made a face. "When on earth did you go to a Quidditch game?"

"It wasn't by choice," Hermione said laughing. "Harry wanted to see his friend Oliver play and asked me if I wanted to come along. I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Big mistake on my part."

"What is this... Quidditch?" Elinore asked.

"Sort of like basketball with brooms," Lavender said trying to put it into terms that her aunt would understand.

"All right," Elinore still looked slightly confused. "Well... I'm sure it's not very interesting to someone who doesn't even like rugby," she smiled.

"It's not," Hermione said. "But I tried to make an effort to understand it since Harry likes it so much. At least he hasn't mentioned trying to get me on a broom again. He thinks I'm mad because I don't like to fly."

"Flying is fun," Lavender protested.

"No, it's not," Hermione said firmly. "I prefer my feet on the ground, thanks very much."

"I have a feeling Harry will get you on a broom sooner or later," Lavender teased. "Seamus told me Harry loves flying and was out on his Firebolt all the time back at Hogwarts."

"He does love it," Hermione said, nodding. "And he's great at it. But, that doesn't mean you're going to see me on a broom anytime soon."

Lavender only shook her head as another loud yell was heard from the living room. "Merlin are they going to keep at this all night?"

"We just might," Harry said, coming into the kitchen.

"What are you watching?" Hermione asked. "You three nearly scared the daylights out of us by screaming just a few minutes ago."

"Football," Harry said as if the answer should have been obvious. "Dr. Granger? Do you have any popcorn?"

"I believe we do, somewhere around here," Elinore got up and began rooting around in the cupboard.

"I have to get back home soon, I have a bit more studying to do," Hermione said, looking at Harry.

"Oh?" Harry asked her. "I thought you were finished?"

"I have another exam tomorrow morning," Hermione replied. "I told you that this afternoon."

Harry pulled an apologetic face. "I'm sorry, Hermione. It must have slipped my mind. Whenever you're ready to go, we can."

"We can stick around for a little while longer if you want," Hermione said. "I just have to get back early enough that I can get more studying in."

"Found some popcorn," Elinore said, popping a bag into the microwave.

"Great," Harry said, giving her a warm smile. He turned his attention back to Hermione. "Is everything okay? You've been a little quiet tonight."

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "Just tired from studying is all." she hated herself for the uncomfortable way she was feeling.

"You're working too hard," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

"It's just one more day," Hermione pulled away from him. "I'll help with the rest of those dishes Mum," she went over to the sink.

Lavender watched as Harry stared at Hermione. She wanted to shake him and tell him to talk to her cousin, but she knew the two of them, stubborn to a fault. When the microwave timer went off, Lavender opened it up and poured the bag into a large bowl.

"Harry?" she asked, hoping to change the subject. "Did you see that article in the newspaper about that missing reporter?"

"Yeah," he replied, tearing his eyes away from his girlfriend. "It's pretty scary. I told Ron to make sure Luna is careful even though she's mostly in Boston these days and not working here."

"Any ideas as to what happened?" Lavender asked.

Harry shook his head. "I can't figure it out. This Andrew Murphy was a Daily Prophet reporter, never had much on the mainstream, he was mostly a copy editor from what I heard." he shrugged. "I've no idea what made him stand out."

"He's our age, too, isn't he?" Lavender asked conversationally. "I wonder what school he went to. He didn't go to Hogwarts with you, did he?"

"Not that I know of," Harry replied.

"Somebody in one of my classes mentioned she knew him from Durmstrang," Hermione said looking over her shoulder at Harry.

"Durmstrang?" Harry replied. "Interesting. Wonder what made him come down to London..."

"It's not that uncommon," Hermione said. "Loads of students from here have studied at Durmstrang."

"Oh," Harry replied.

"I wouldn't have gone there," Lavender said grimacing. "That school gives me the creeps."

"Why's that?" Harry asked.

"It's known for teaching Dark Magic, isn't it?" Lavender asked him. "Madam Maxime told us all about it."

"I guess... I knew a few blokes that went there and they were fine," Harry shifted. "I've seen enough of the Dark Arts in my time," he muttered.

Hermione slammed a pot down hard on the countertop at Harry's last sentence. Both her mother and cousin jumped. "I, um, think I should get back to the cottage," Hermione said quickly. She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes and she didn't want to cry in front of Harry. "Um, thanks Mum. I'll see you later, Lav." She breezed past a confused Harry.

"What's going on?" Harry asked confounded.

"Nothing." she said tersely as she went into the foyer to grab her cloak and bag. "I just need to get home. Stay as long as you want. Don't mind me."

"Hermione..." Harry was treated to the front door slamming in his face.

Hermione was nearly down the path when she heard his footsteps behind her. "Leave me alone, Harry."

"No way," Harry replied. "You're going to tell me why you just ran out of your parents’ house in tears!"

"You have to ask that?" she asked incredulously. "You had another nightmare last night. If you think I didn't hear you, you're mistaken. But, I pretended I was asleep because I knew if I asked if you were okay, you'd have bitten my head off."

Harry sighed. "Is that what this is all about?" he asked.

"Yes, that's what this is all about!" she exclaimed.

Harry opened his mouth to say something when he noticed a neighbour peeking out her window. "Come on, let's go home... seems we've got an audience here," he muttered.

"Fine," Hermione said curtly.

They were silent until they reached their cottage. Harry was hanging up his cloak as Hermione tossed her bag in the corner. "Why do you want to know about my nightmares?" he asked.

"Why wouldn't I want to know about them?" she asked him, folding her arms. "How would you feel if I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, shaking because of a bad dream I'd had. And when you asked me if I was alright, I just brushed you off?"

"I don't mean to brush you off," Harry replied. "Those stupid dreams bring me back to a period in my life that I'd like to forget, not rehash. That's why I don't want to talk about them."

She ran a hand through her hair. "I'm trying to understand that. I really am. It's just..."

"No one can understand it all right?" Harry tried not to sound frustrated. "I'm not trying to push you away or snap at you when you ask me if I'm okay. I just don't want to go back to that place in time."

"But I'd like to try and understand," she said, her tone softer. "We're living in the same house and we're breathing the same air, but we're worlds apart right now, Harry. You haven't touched me in days."

Harry sighed as he stared down at his shoes. "I'm sorry," he finally said. "We've both been busy and it's really taken a toll on our relationship hasn't it?"

"That's the understatement of the year," she said with a sigh.

"Well..." Harry reached for her hand. "What do we do? Where do we go?"

"I don't know," she said sadly.

Harry pulled her close. "What do you want me to do?" he asked.

"Love me," she said simply. "Trust me."

"I do," Harry said. "Both of those... I trust you more than anyone else Hermione."

She opened her mouth to say that if that was true, he'd tell her, but he'd already said he wasn't ready to rehash that part of his life. As much as she didn't want to, she had to accept that. "I love you so much, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry nuzzled her neck as she wrapped her arms around him. "I really don't know what I'd do if I ever lost you."

"You won't," she whispered. "It's never going to be easy for us, is it?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "Look," he pulled away a little. "This thing... with the dreams and with Voldemort... I promise one day to tell you everything you want to know. I just..." he looked away. "There are things I had to do during that time that I haven't even dealt with yet. And I can't go about telling you about them when I haven't even..."

"Haven't even what?" she asked gently.

"Haven't even figured it out," Harry replied.

"It's okay," she whispered, putting a hand on his cheek. "Its okay, Harry." She pressed her lips gently to his.

"Thank you," He replied before kissing her harder.

When they broke apart, she rested her forehead on his. All thoughts of her exam tomorrow flew from her mind as she savoured the feeling of being close to him again. "Do you want to go upstairs?" she whispered.

"Of course I do," Harry replied. "What about your studying..." his voice trailed off as Hermione attached her mouth to his neck.

"I'll wake up early tomorrow and study," she said between kisses. "But I could care less about studying right now."

Harry scooped her up in his arms. "Then by all means," he said huskily. "Don't let me stop you..."

37. Chapter 37

Author's note: We apologize for not responding to the reviews this time---Christmas shopping and real life prevented that this time, but we did read them all! We are going to try and do better next time! See you all on Tuesday and please review!

Later that evening after they'd made love, Hermione and Harry were both lying in bed with their backs to each other. Both were pretending to be asleep. Hermione couldn't speak for Harry, but she still had questions swirling in her mind about what could have been so horrible that he didn't want to talk about it with the person he loved most in the world.

She resolved to find some way to put this behind her. He'd tell her when he was ready and that was all there was to it. They loved each other too much to let this push them apart. She felt guilty for pushing him to relive such a traumatic experience. Hoping not to wake Harry up, she slid back the covers and went into the closet to grab a pair of pyjamas. As soon as she'd stepped into the closet, Harry sat up in bed.

"Where are you going?" he asked, slipping his glasses back on.

"To put on something warm," she called from inside the closet.

"Oh," Harry let his head fall back onto the pillow. "The bed isn't warm enough for you?" he asked, his voice teasing.

Hermione came back into the bedroom wearing an old t-shirt of Harry's and a pair of pyjama bottoms. "I just caught a chill is all," she said with a smile. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"I wasn't asleep yet," Harry replied as she got back into bed.

"Neither was I," she admitted.

He pulled her close and kissed the side of her head. "I think that was just what we needed," he said softly.

She smiled. "I think so, too."

Harry smiled into the darkness as Hermione snuggled closer to him. His mind began to travel as he tried to fall asleep and Harry wondered if telling his girlfriend about his battles with Voldemort really was a bad thing. Lupin had suggested talking to someone other than him about it as it might help his nightmares but he wasn't sure.

"Everything okay, Harry?" Hermione whispered as he ran his fingers through her hair.

"Yeah," he replied absently.

"I should call my parents tomorrow and explain why I dashed out of the house like I did," she said. "I'm really sorry for acting like that..."

"It wasn't your fault," Harry interrupted her. "I guess... I don't want you thinking I'm an awful person. Deep down it scares me that you might think that way if you knew..."

Hermione lifted her head from his chest and stared at him. "How can you say that?" she asked him, looking into his green eyes for some sort of answer. "I love you. I'd never think badly of you. You believe that, right?"

"I know," Harry replied, looking down at their sheets. He sighed heavily. "Lupin told me to talk about it with someone else, that maybe it would help get the feelings off my chest and make the nightmares not so bad..."

"What happens in the nightmares?" she asked gently.

"Sometimes... sometimes it's the same as the night I faced him. It was around this time of year two years ago." Harry replied. "Other times... people I love are there and he kills them in front of me and I can't do anything to stop him."

"Harry..." she whispered, her heart breaking at the sad, lost look on his face.

"It was awful," Harry replied. "In a way I'm almost glad I didn't know you at that point because things were so different then. We were all scared and I hated my life so much. All I did was train and worry, and then..." he trailed off for a moment. "Cho's parents were killed... before that my godfather died because I was a stupid git..."

"But that wasn't your fault, Harry," Hermione interjected, but he held up a hand to stop her. Reluctantly, she acquiesced.

"I pushed away a lot of my friends and the people that cared about me. I was horrible," he said quietly.

"Why did you push them away?" Hermione asked. She already knew the answer. He'd tried to push her away at first, too. She figured it was some sort of defence mechanism he used to keep himself from being hurt and from hurting the ones he cared most about.

"To keep everyone safe." Harry replied. "I thought I was going to die. I thought either I wouldn't be able to kill Voldemort, or I'd have to die along with the bastard. And I didn't want everyone to mourn and make me out to be some sort of martyr."

Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes as she listened to him talk. She wanted to hold them off because right now, he needed her to be strong. But, she couldn't even imagine what this must have been like for him.

"I guess my main problem with this is that no matter what way you look at it, I killed someone. Someone, something... whatever you want to call Voldemort." Harry said.

"But you had to, Harry," Hermione said softly, squeezing his hand. "I read about the Prophecy. It was him or you."

"I guess," Harry still didn't look convinced. He gave her a small rueful smile. "Guess you weren't expecting this when you got tied up with me."

"I wasn't expecting you at all," she answered truthfully. "And you're the best thing that ever happened to me. Don't you see, Harry? What happened back then...it made you into the man you are today....a man that I love so much that I can't imagine living a day without him. You're not a horrible person, Harry. You're human."

Harry stared at her a moment. "I really didn't give you enough credit," he caressed her cheek. "I kept thinking you'd hate me for being a murderer."

"I could never hate you," she whispered without a moment's hesitation.

Harry buried his face in her shoulder. "I'm sorry I was such a prat," he said.

"I'm sorry I was so pushy," she said, wrapping her arms around him. "I...I wish I could have been there for you back then. I wish I had known you then."

"I wish you had too," Harry said. He kissed her gently. "You know... I think Lupin was right."

"About what?" she asked.

"I do feel better telling you all this," he sighed. "Guess I should listen to other people once in awhile aye?"

She smiled. "Every now and then would be a start."

Harry wrapped her in his arms as Hermione cuddled next to him. "I'm really lucky that I have you," he said, dropping his glasses back on the nightstand.

"I'm the lucky one," she said as Harry again began running his fingers through her hair.

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked. "How do you figure?"

The tears she'd been trying to hold off now flowed down her cheeks. "You've had to put up with a lot from me, Harry. My insecurities...my pushing you to tell me about your nightmares. You could have walked away from me a long time ago, but you stayed..."

"Why on earth would I leave?" Harry asked. "Everyone has insecurities Hermione. And you might have been pushy... but that's how you are. And I love you, and that means I love everything about you, even those few bad habits." he smiled at her.

Despite herself, she couldn't help laughing. "So you think I'm pushy, do you?" she asked, wiping her eyes.

"Of course I do," Harry kissed her, pulling her lower lip out gently. "But it comes with the rest of you so I can't complain."

"Just like your large ego comes with you," she teased back. "I still love you in spite of that..."

"Hey now," Harry ran his hand along her side. "When did this turn on me?"

"When you called me pushy," she retorted. "Need I remind you that I give as good as I get?"

"Yes you do," Harry said licentiously. "I'd never argue with that."

"Harry!" Hermione gasped. "You know I didn't mean it like that!"

"Yes you did," Harry chortled. "Deep down you know you meant it that way."

"I did not!" she said with mock indignation. "And that's another thing I'm adding to your list. Large ego...always taking the most innocuous things and putting them into the wrong context..."

"Uh huh," Harry replied. "Just like that night we were waiting for Luna's article to show up and you thought I was asking you for a shag when I really wasn't."

"Yes you were," Hermione said stubbornly.

"No I wasn't," Harry was chuckling. "You assumed that's what I meant. You're as corrupted as I am."

"If I am," she countered, "it's because of your bad influence on me."

"Bad influence?" Harry raised himself on an elbow and looked down at her.

"I meant bad in the best sense of the word," she said quickly, a smile playing on her lips. For the first time in a long time, she felt like she and Harry were back to normal.

*** *** ***

“And Harry asked if you had the time, if you’d try and look Gordon Devereaux up in the papers,” Ron said, his fingers weaving through Luna’s. “He’d do it himself except you have all the access that he doesn’t.”

Luna nodded. She and Ron were walking Paddington in Hyde Park. She'd just arrived back home that morning and as it was such a nice day, she'd suggested a walk and she'd jumped at the chance. It felt great to be home.

"I need to stop by the Quibbler to check in with my father," Luna said thoughtfully. "I can start researching Gordon this afternoon."

"Harry will appreciate that," Ron gave her cheek a kiss. "As for me, I'm just glad you're home. I really missed you this week."

"I missed you too," she said smiling at him. "I was so ready to come home. You have no idea."

Ron slid his arm around her. "And can you believe how big the monster has gotten?" he asked.

"I know!" Luna said with a laugh. "I could hardly pick him up."

"He eats more than I do," Ron complained.

"No one eats more than you do," Luna deadpanned.

"That was true until this guy got bigger," Ron said defensively.

A sad expression came over Luna's face as she looked at her dog as he sniffed along the ground. Paddington had grown so much in such a short time and she'd missed most of it. Time she'd never get back.

"What's wrong?" Ron sensed her change in attitude.

She led him over to a park bench and they both sat down. "I've missed a lot, haven't I?" she asked. Without waiting for his answer, she continued. "When I get together with everyone, they have all these stories and jokes and I have no idea what they're talking about. You all are getting on with your lives here and I'm so far away and I'm missing everything. I haven't even seen Chiaki more than three times since she was born. She'll be off to Hogwarts before we know it and I'll have missed it all!"

"Hey," Ron pulled her close while keeping Paddington's leash wound around his hand. "Luna... you're living out your dream here. You're so excited about being in Boston!"

"I was," she said morosely. "What does it mean, though when the entire time I'm there...I'm wishing I was here?"

Ron gave her a quick kiss. "It's natural to miss your family and friends when you're away from home."

She nodded. "There's something else, though. I meant to tell you first thing this morning when I got back, but you and I sort of became distracted..."

"What's that?" Ron asked, pulling on Paddington's leash to keep him by them.

"They finally made Michael and I an offer," Luna said, looking at him. "They were quite pleased with what we've done and think we'd make a great addition to their team... permanently."

"Hey..." Ron smiled. "That's great news!"

Luna gave a weak smile. "If I took the job, I wouldn't be able to come home as much as I have while I've been doing freelance. It could be weeks before I'd be able to come back."

"Oh..." Ron looked ahead of them at the other park goers. "Well... I told you before that I'll go along with any decision you make," he looked down at his feet. "It won't be easy... but we'll make it work."

She nodded, but secretly wondered if that was true. Every time she mentioned having a boyfriend back home, some of her co-workers in Boston would pull a face and say how long-distance relationships never worked out.

"I have a few days before I have to decide," she said quietly. "I'm going to talk it over with my father and see what he thinks."

"That's a good idea," Ron encouraged her.

She smiled at him. "You're absolutely fantastic...you know that, right?"

"I try," Ron grinned. "Especially with you Loony."

"Ronald," Luna countered, resting her head on his shoulder.

*** *** ***

Neville smiled at his wife as he set up another table in the middle of the room. She was positively glowing and was humming a happy tune as she set out some champagne. They'd invited their friends over for an impromptu get together to share the news that Cho's loan had been approved and to let them know she was planning on opening up her own dance studio.

"I can't wait to see the looks on their faces," Neville said, as he set up the portable stereo.

"They were all wondering why I gave them this address but I wouldn't say why," Cho grinned.

"The first time you've ever managed to keep a secret," he teased.

"Hey," Cho replied. "I've kept other secrets..."

"For about two minutes," he said as he walked past her.

"Watch it Longbottom," Cho said. "I know things about you that everyone would find hilarious to hear about..."

The smile on Neville's face fell. "You wouldn't?"

Cho's grin widened. "Oh... I think would," she laughed.

Neville leaned in for a quick kiss, but was interrupted by the sounds of voices in the hall. "Our first guests..." he said with a smile.

Cho let out a squeal. "Get in here you guys!" she said as Harry and Hermione appeared in the doorway, Seamus and Lavender behind them.

Hermione and Lavender exchanged confused looks as Seamus and Harry found themselves enveloped in a bear hug from Cho.

"Is she okay?" Lavender asked Neville.

"She's fine," Neville chuckled. "She's just excited."

"Obviously," Harry choked out. "Cho...oxygen becoming an issue here..."

"Sorry," Cho pulled away. "Well come on in, don't be shy."

Hermione grinned. "So....what is this place exactly?"

"Are you ready for this?" Cho clasped her hands in delight. "You are officially standing in the Chang School of Dance for Witches and Wizards!"

"Dance school?" Harry asked, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I've opened my own dance school!" Cho replied. "And you all are standing in it!"

"Cho, that's fantastic!" Hermione exclaimed, coming forward to hug her friend.

"Thanks," Cho hugged her back. "I had the idea about a month ago... and I got a loan from Gringotts and with some hard work, Neville and I have this place all ready to open up next week!"

Everyone congratulated Cho, but she couldn't help notice that someone was not saying a word. "Harry?" she asked hesitantly. "What do you think?"

"I think this looks great," Harry replied. "How come you didn't ask me for help?"

"I wanted to do it on my own," she said with a smile. "I wanted to know I could do it by myself...and I did."

Harry smiled at her. "I'm proud of you," he hugged her. "It's weird, I feel as if I've looked after you for so long, and now you don't need me anymore."

"I'll always need you," she said with a laugh. "I expect you to come in every now and then and help out."

"Of course," Harry grinned. "Just don't expect me to put tights on."

"I think he'd look smashing in a tutu," Seamus said as he helped himself to a glass of champagne.

"And a tiara," Hermione chimed in.

"All right," Harry said. "Enough of that because it'll never happen."

"That's right," Neville said, slapping Harry on the back. "He's more partial to rabbit ears."

Harry grinned at that and pulled Hermione into a deep kiss that left the rest of them groaning.

"Hey now is that any way to greet your friends?" Ron asked from the doorway.

"Pay no attention to them," Cho said, coming forward and hugging Ron and Luna. "Fashionably late as always eh?"

"Of course," Ron replied. "We're only late because of that bloody monster that Luna calls a dog."

"Don't mind him," Luna said, playfully slapping Ron on the shoulder. "He's just mad because Paddington left a little surprise in Ron's shoe."

"Little surprise?" Ron scoffed.

Luna giggled. "You guys should have seen the look on Ron's face when he slipped his foot in the shoe."

Harry and Seamus laughed openly while the rest of them hid their snickers. "Yeah, thanks for the support," Ron replied. "Now what's going on, why are we here?"

"Welcome to the Chang School of Dance for Witches and Wizards," Cho said, motioning around the room.

"The what?" Ron asked. Luna elbowed him in the stomach.

"Does this mean what I think it does?" she asked her friend delightedly.

Cho nodded excitedly. "I can hardly believe it myself, but yes."

"That's fantastic," Luna hugged her tightly. "What a perfect job for you!"

"I think so, too," Cho said beaming.

Neville turned on some music. "I thought this was a party..."

"Right you are," Seamus replied. "And free champagne for the rest of us."

"Where's the food?" Ron asked.

Harry laughed. "We thought YOU were bringing it Weasley," he teased.

Ron frowned. "You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding."

"Because he eats the food, he doesn't bring it," Luna laughed at the look on her boyfriend's face.

Neville and Cho came back into the room carrying boxes of pizza. "I know it's not much, but it's the best we can do on short notice," Neville said, as they set the pizzas down on the table.

"Pizza works for me," Ron said ravenously.

"Somehow I thought it would," Neville teased.

"Anything works for me," Ron's mouth was already full.

"Pizza and champagne," Harry lifted his glass. "I love it.”

"Hey now," Hermione gave him a reproving look. "Come on... here's to Cho and her brilliant new school!" she held her glass up in the air.

"Here, here," Luna said, clinking glasses with Hermione.

"Thanks you guys," Cho's eyes had gone glassy.

Everyone enjoyed the pizza and champagne and splintered off into different groups chatting. Luna walked over to where Harry was talking to Seamus.

"Hey," she said. "Um, Seamus, would it be alright if I had a word with Harry?"

"Sure," Seamus replied. "I'll talk to you later mate,"

Harry nodded and looked over in Hermione's direction. She was chatting with Neville and Cho.

"So how are you?" Luna asked him.

"Not too bad," Harry took a sip of his champagne. "How about you? How's Boston?"

"Okay," she said with a shrug. She briefly explained how the editors in Boston offered her and Michael permanent positions. "Michael's already accepted, but I'm still unsure."

"How come?" Harry's eyes followed hers where they settled on Ron. "He's not giving you a hard time is he?"

Luna shook her head. "He couldn't be more supportive."

"That's good," Harry said. "So what's keeping you from accepting?"

"When I'm back in Boston," she said with a sigh. "All I can think about is being back here with you guys and with Ron. And then I think about my dad...I'm all he's got left..."

Harry nodded. "I see," he said slowly. "Well... just as long as you know we all support either decision you make."

"Thanks," she said before taking another sip of her champagne. "I did manage to find out a few things about our Mr. Devereaux."

"Already?" Harry's eyes widened. "I didn't even know that Ron asked you about it."

She smiled. "He told me this afternoon. I had to go into the office anyway and I managed to find out a few things."

"Like what?" Harry dropped his voice.

"What do you know about his parents?" Luna asked in a hushed tone.

"Nothing," Harry replied. "I remember back during the holidays he was going to visit them, or so he told Hermione, but then he told her they went out of town."

Luna pulled a couple sheets of parchment from her pocket. She unfolded them and began to read the notes she'd scribbled that afternoon. "His parents are John and Margaret Devereaux. He's their only son and from all appearances they were the model wizarding family," she read off.

"Okay..." Harry tried to mask the impatience in his voice.

"As you know Gordon attended Beauxbatons with Hermione," Luna continued. "Up until his third year when he left the school. The story behind that was his father being transferred to another Ministry, but I managed to find out that wasn't the real reason he left Beauxbatons. He was expelled."

"Expelled?" Harry's eyes widened and his champagne glass nearly slipped from his hand. He cast a furtive glance at Hermione to make sure she was still busy talking, which she was. "Expelled for what?"

"The records were sealed unfortunately," Luna said. "I've got someone checking into it for me, but there were rumours that Gordon was violent toward a few of his classmates. Apparently, Mr. Devereaux paid off their families in exchange for them keeping quiet."

Harry was silent for a moment. "This really doesn't surprise me," he began.

"He was nearly expelled from Durmstrang for the same thing," Luna said softly. "But you and I both know that they're willing to look the other way about certain things..."

"No kidding," Harry snorted.

Luna stepped closer to Harry. "That's not even all of it, Harry."

"There's more?" Harry asked. "What?"

"No one has seen or heard from his parents in nearly two years," Luna whispered. "He apparently abruptly resigned from his position at the Ministry in Bulgaria. The story is that they're travelling around the world, but I've not managed to find anyone who can verify that."

"You think..." Harry gulped. "You think he did something to them?"

"I don't know," Luna said, looking past Harry at Hermione who was now chatting with Ron. "But I think it's a possibility."

"All right," Harry said. "Thanks for looking into this for me Luna."

"I wish I could have given you more to go on," she said apologetically.

"No, this is fine," he forced a smile at her. "You've got plenty of your own things to do; I don't expect you to be burying yourself in a workroom on my behalf."

"Nonsense," Luna said. "You're my friend and so is Hermione. I'm happy to do anything I can to help."

"Thanks," Harry gave her arm a squeeze as they went to join their respective others.

"There you are," Hermione said as Harry walked in her direction. "I was beginning to think you were ignoring me."

"How could I ignore the most gorgeous woman in the room?" Harry asked.

"Care to dance?" she asked, taking his hand. "It'd be a shame to let the music go to waste."

"Too right you are," Harry tossed back the rest of his champagne before leading her out past the tables.

"Is everything okay?" she asked as they reached a spot in the middle of the studio. "You and Luna looked deep in conversation."

"She was just telling me that the paper in Boston made her an offer," Harry said. "She's not sure if she wants to take it yet."

"That's really great," she said, looping her arms around his neck. "I don't envy her having to make a tough decision like that, though."

"Me either," Harry replied. "Especially if it meant I had to be half a world away from you for the better part of my time."

She smiled as they slowly swayed to the music. "You'll have to travel when you're officially an Auror. We could someday face the same type of dilemma that Luna and Ron are now."

"Well I'm sure I'll have to travel," Harry answered. "But I'd never live away from you like that."

"I'd never let you," she said grinning up at him. She didn't think she could put into words how much better she felt about their relationship now that everything was out in the open. It meant so much to her that he'd shared a part of himself that he'd not let anyone else see.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked her, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Just how happy I am," she whispered.

"I'm glad you're happy," Harry brushed his lips lightly over hers.

"What about you?" she asked. "What's going on in that head of yours?"

Harry grinned. "I'd really like to shag right now."

"Harry," Hermione chided him. "We can't just leave the party...could we?"

"Maybe not quite yet," Harry said. "I wouldn't want Cho to think our sexual drive is more important than her. We just won't tell her that."

"You're right," she said. The music changed to a faster tempo and Hermione laughed as Harry spun her around. "Show off... trying to impress the owner so she offers you a job?"

"She already asked me to come in and help her once in awhile," Harry smirked.

"You are a good teacher," she said as he dipped her low. "You did teach me everything I know."

"Aye, that I did, and not just about dancing," he said wickedly.

"Show off," she teased.

"Will you look at them?" Lavender asked. "You wouldn't realise they had a huge row just a few days ago would you?"

Seamus shook his head. "They look to be getting along quite nicely now."

"Aye they do," Lavender smiled as Hermione laughed. "I was worried about them."

Seamus nodded as he tapped his foot to the beat of the music. Out of the four couples, he and Lavender were the only ones not dancing. "Don't look at me like that, Lavender," Seamus said sternly. "I won't dance, don't ask me..."

"Oh come on, you danced with me at that designer party and you enjoyed it." Lavender pleaded.

"Because I didn't know any of those people," Seamus answered.

"Oh come on," Lavender sidled up to him. "I promise if you do I'll make it worth your while later..." she nudged his ear.

"Well, if you put it that way," he said, allowing her to lead him onto the floor. "The things I let you do to me..."

Lavender giggled. "Come on Seamus, you're not that bad."

"You're just saying that because you love me," he said.

"Well that's only partially true," Lavender wrapped her arms around him. "I do love you..."

"Do my eyes deceive me?" Neville asked as he and Cho danced beside them. "This can't be my old mate Seamus--dancing?"

"Yeah, yeah..." Seamus said. "I do it for my girlfriend."

"Aye," Neville said nodding. "I'm doing it for my wife."

Seamus grinned as Lavender leaned into him. "You're not so bad out here yourself Longbottom."

"Ow!" Cho said as Neville stepped on her foot.

"Sorry," Neville said sheepishly. "I guess I'll be your first student."

"All right, I take that back," Seamus said to Lavender as he did he best to twirl her around.

"Oi! Cho!" Ron called out. "You're out of pizza! Don't we have anything else to eat?"

Cho turned. "No, sorry Ron we only bought SIX of them!"

"Very funny, Mrs. Longbottom," Ron said sarcastically.

"Does this mean Ron ate five pizzas?" Hermione called out from where she and Harry were currently pressed tightly together. "Because between the rest of us I think we can all only take credit for one."

"I didn't eat five," Ron said defensively. He leaned in to Luna and said in a hushed tone, "Did I?"

Luna began to giggle. "I lost count after three love," she replied.

"They were rather small, don't you think?" Ron asked looking for back up from his friends, who were laughing. "Okay, okay. Can we please have one night where you lot aren't getting on my case about my appetite?"

"Maybe on a night when your appetite doesn't put the rest of us to shame," Harry teased.

"Sod off, Rabbit," Ron retorted. "Shouldn't you be mating right about now?"

Harry grinned. "Would you like us to?"

"Don't encourage him!" Cho exclaimed, shooting Ron a warning glance.

"He's always looking for an excuse," Hermione was laughing.

"Hey," Harry said, wrapping his arms around Hermione's waist. "I wasn't aware I needed an excuse..."

"You don't," Hermione leaned back against him.

"Okay..." Lavender rolled her eyes. "I don't know how the two of you always manage to turn our conversations to your sexual lives but we really don't want to know."

"We didn't start this," Hermione pointed out. "If you recall, this conversation started with Ron's never ending appetite and it sort of veered off to Harry and me for some reason."

"I think you all want to know," Harry said smugly.

"Trust us when I say we really don't," Lavender said with a giggle.

Cho rolled her eyes as Harry began whispering into Hermione's ear. "All right... how about you all help us clean up and we'll get another pizza and take it back to our place?"

Ron didn't need to be asked twice as the mere mention of food was all the incentive he needed. "What can I do to help?" he asked with a cheeky grin.

Cho grinned at him. "Mind taking down the tables?"

"Your wish is my command," he said getting to work doing as she asked.

"I wonder what has him more whipped, you or food." Seamus asked Luna.

Luna laughed. "I think right now food is in the lead."

They were all laughing as everyone pitched in and the studio was cleaned in no time. "I can't wait until you start your classes," Harry said to Cho.

"Do you really think people will come?" she asked him, feeling that familiar apprehension.

"Of course they will. Who else has a dance studio in the Wizarding World?" Harry reassured her. "Besides, you know how curious some wizards are about Muggle things."

"That's true," she said, giving her best friend a warm hug. "I can't believe this is all happening. I'm married...I have a beautiful little baby at home...and I'm about to do what I've always dreamed about. Pinch me? Just to make sure I'm not dreaming."

Harry grinned. "Do you really want me to pinch you?" he asked.

"Yes," she said, holding out her arm.

He did as he was told. "Harry," his girlfriend frowned. "Why are you pinching Cho?”

"She wanted to make sure this was all real and she wasn't dreaming," Harry answered. "Don't tell me you're jealous? Want me to pinch you, too?" He held out a hand toward Hermione who backed away. "Or how about I tickle you?" he asked, a mischievous grin on his face.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed. "Don't you dare!" she kept backing away as he advanced.

"They're hopeless," Cho said laughing as Harry took off after Hermione, chasing her around the studio.

"Completely," Lavender replied.

Luna watched her two friends as she and Ron gathered up the last of the compact discs. Harry and Hermione truly looked happy. She hoped that her research proved Gordon Devereaux to be harmless. The last thing Harry and Hermione needed was a loose cannon on their hands. But from what she'd learned so far, she couldn't help feeling that Harry was right to be worried.

"Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'm definitely ready for more food," Ron announced as the last table was folded away.

Lavender looked at Harry who was about to open his mouth. "Harry, if you say that you're hungry, but not for food, I swear I'm going to smack you upside the head."

Harry shut his mouth. "Fine," he said. "Spoilsport..."

"She knows you quite well, doesn't she?" Hermione asked with a laugh.

"I like to think so," Lavender smiled smugly.

"Everyone ready?" Neville asked as they all pulled on their cloaks. "And did we mention that Ron's buying?"

*** *** ***

Harry walked home with a slight bounce in his step. Lupin had pulled a few of them aside that day and told them that next week they were taking an unexpected trip to New Zealand to train with a new tactics manoeuvres professor who was quite well known. Harry was excited to be picked and couldn’t wait to share the news with his girlfriend.

He smiled as he thought about her, and was glad now that he’d finally opened up and told her some of the things he’d been keeping to himself for so long. Lupin had been correct and it made him feel better to see that Hermione stuck by his side even though some of the things he had done were so horrifying that anyone else would have been long gone.

“Hey I'm home!” he called as he stepped in the door. “Hermione?”

"We're in here," Hermione called out to him.

Harry went into their living room. "Guess what..." his voice trailed off as he saw the person he currently detested most sitting next to his girlfriend.

Hermione, who had been laughing at something Gordon had just said, turned to look at Harry. In doing so, she missed the frown that came across Gordon's face. "What?" she asked, smiling at Harry. When he didn't answer, she pulled a confused face. "What is it you had to tell me, sweetheart?"

"Oh... nothing special," Harry fibbed, not wanting Gordon to know he was going out of town. "We can talk later if you're busy..." he turned and went into the kitchen for a drink.

"Never too busy for you," she said, coming further into the kitchen. "Especially when you look like you had good news..."

Harry set his butterbeer on the counter. "You've heard of that guy they call the Spellbinder right?"

"Yes," she said leaning against the counter. "What does that have to do with you?"

"Lupin picked five of us to go to New Zealand and train with him next week," Harry replied.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed, enveloping him in a hug. "That's fantastic!"

Harry grinned. "I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately it means I'll be gone all next week as a result..."

"Are you saying you'll miss me then?" she asked coyly.

"Maybe," Harry teased. "Just a little."

She hit him playfully on the shoulder. "What about Neville? Did he get picked, too?"

"Aye he did, which really surprised him." Harry said.

"I don't see why he'd be surprised," Hermione said, shaking her head. "From what you've told me, he's really doing well."

"He's doing a lot better than he was at the beginning," Harry replied. "But yeah, we leave Monday morning and we'll be back by Saturday afternoon."

"I’m so proud of you!" she exclaimed, giving him a kiss. "I just wish you didn't have to be gone for so long."

"I wish we didn't either. I could have turned it down but--"

"It's a great opportunity," she interjected. "And you can't turn things like that down. I understand. Besides, I'll be okay all by myself. Lonely, of course, but okay."

"I can ask Cho if she and the baby want to come here and stay with you," Harry offered.

Hermione frowned. "Why would I need them to come and stay with me?"

"So you don't get lonely," Harry said.

She raised an eyebrow at him. "That's not it, is it? You think I can't take care of myself?"

"Of course I do," Harry protested. "You just said you'd be lonely so I thought maybe you'd like it if Cho stayed here that's all." He secretly thought this was a good idea so that if Gordon Devereaux was stalking their cottage Hermione wouldn't be alone.

"I'll be okay," Hermione said softly. She appreciated his concern, but she wished he'd sometimes give her credit. "Gordon will be over a lot since we're working on this project. It's over 60 percent of our final grade..."

"He will?" Harry felt his stomach drop out. "Well maybe we should ask Cho, just in case she's nervous about being alone with Chiaki."

"I wouldn't want to impose on her," Hermione said. "It wouldn't be easy for her to just up stakes with a baby and come and stay with me and hold my hand while you're gone, Harry."

"All right," Harry let the matter drop for now but he was determined not to let her be alone with Gordon.

"We shouldn't be too much longer tonight," she said motioning toward the living room. "We can celebrate your good news...provided you're not too knackered."

"For that? Never," Harry replied, sending her a grin.

"Care for a preview then?" she asked. "So you'll know what to expect?"

"That sounds nice," Harry said as she slid her arms around him.

"Hermione!" Gordon's voice called out. "I found that spell we were looking for earlier!"

"He's got perfect timing," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Aye," Harry said sourly.

"I guess I'd better go back," she said, giving him a quick kiss. "Oh and Luna sent you an owl earlier. I put it down on the table there."

"All right," Harry gave her another kiss and watched as she went back into the living room.

Harry sat back down at the table with his butterbeer and opened Luna's letter.

Harry,

I found out some more things on our good friend Mr. D. I was wondering if you'd meet me at The Leaky Cauldron tomorrow morning at nine. You're not going to like what I found out. Send me an owl to let me know if you can make it.

Love,

Luna

Harry crumpled the note in his hand as he dug through the drawers for a spare piece of parchment. He sent a note back to Luna agreeing to meet her as he tucked her letter into his pocket. "Damn him..." he muttered.

It had been a long day and Harry was tired- he wanted to take a shower and wait for Gordon to leave. He headed into the hallway and stopped short at the sight of the other man who was going quietly upstairs. "What are you doing?" he asked coldly.

Gordon froze. He'd thought Potter would be safely tucked away in the kitchen and not see him trying to go upstairs to get some more of Hermione's belongings. He cursed himself for his stupidity.

"I was going to the loo," Gordon said slowly turning around.

"The loo is back there," Harry pointed.

"Right you are," Gordon said. "So Hermione tells me you're going away..."

"Did she now," Harry crossed his arms over his chest. "I thought you two were busy studying."

"Yes she did," Gordon said, delighted that he'd touched a nerve. "Why do you look so surprised? Do you think that all Hermione and I do is study? I can assure you we do so much more than that..."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Harry's temper with the man was already short. "I don't appreciate your insinuations."

"Did I insinuate anything?" Gordon asked a sly smile on his face. "I certainly didn't mean to imply anything, honestly. I assure you my intentions with Hermione are honourable and platonic."

"Good," Harry replied evenly. "Keep it that way and you and I will have no problems."

"Feeling a little insecure in your relationship?" Gordon couldn't stop himself from asking. "I know it's none of my business, but if your relationship is as strong as you say it is..."

"It's never been stronger," Harry interrupted. "In fact..." a snide smile appeared on his face. "I'm thinking of proposing soon if you must know. That's about the only way Hermione and I could get closer by this point."

"Proposing?" Gordon asked. Now, it was Harry who'd touched a nerve. "Proposing? But you--"

"What?" Harry was enjoying himself. "But I what?"

Gordon thought quickly. He had to do something to cover his mistake. If Hermione wasn't in this cottage, he'd wipe that smirk off of Potter's face. "You're too young to get married. Hermione said the two of you had talked about it and you were going to wait..."

"We're at a perfect age to get married," Harry was getting the better of him and he knew it. "Besides, why are you so concerned if you're so honourable and things are platonic?" he mocked.

"Because she's my friend, of course," Gordon retorted. "And I don't think she realizes what sort of person you really are. I imagine she doesn't know what you do or who you see when she's not there."

"And what the hell are you implying now?" Harry's tone dropped dangerously.

"The Famous Harry Potter," Gordon said icily. "Imagine the girls drop their knickers just at the sound of your name."

"If they do, I certainly have no part in it," Harry glared at him. "And if I didn't know any better I'd swear you had something to do with those Daily Prophet articles about me back at the beginning of the year."

"Come now," Gordon said haughtily. "You don't think I'm the only one who doesn't worship the ground you walk on, do you? I imagine there's a long line of people who could have been responsible for that."

Harry stepped towards him. "You get out," he said fiercely. "I don't want you here anymore. You've officially worn out your welcome."

"Temper, temper," Gordon said with a smile. "Unfortunately for you, Hermione does want me here. And until she asks me to go, you're out of luck."

Harry opened his mouth to retort but Gordon swept past him back into the living room. Angrier than ever, Harry stomped upstairs and slammed their bedroom door shut. He would get rid of the man and make Hermione see how despicable Gordon Devereaux really was.

38. Chapter 38

A/N: Hi all, sorry for the late update, but work (for Heaven, in retail) has been crazy due to the holidays and it’s left me exhausted and I almost forgot to post tonight *embarrassed* but I have good news- we’ll be posting chapter 39 on Friday instead of Saturday.

We also have new artwork, done again by Alexa- she drew the ‘cast’ of The Time of Their Life for us and she did a fantastic job! When you review, if you can please leave a comment so she knows how much everyone enjoys her work!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/heaven_portkey/timeoftheirlife.jpg

Also- we know everyone loves Gwendy’s art- we do too, but Gwendy’s a busy girl and can’t drop everything to do fanart for us- so please, please keep comments that Gwendy’s art is better to yourselves- the both of us take fanart from whoever takes the time to draw it for us, it’s ALWAYS appreciated from ANYONE!

Anyways- sorry for the long rambling A/N, hope you all enjoy the chapter and the story is winding up to it’s climax so stay tuned!

Luna found a quiet booth in the back of The Leaky Cauldron for her meeting with Harry. She hoped she'd not sounded too cryptic when she'd described what she'd found out about Gordon. Although she had enough on her mind with the Boston job offer, she relished having something to take her mind off of the decision she ultimately would have to make. She also owed it to both Harry and Hermione. They needed to know what they were up against.

Luna smiled as she saw Harry walk into the pub.

"Hey Luna," Harry tossed his cloak onto the bench and sat down across from her.

"Hey," she said. "I'm sorry to have been so vague in my letter, but I didn't want to take the chance on Hermione reading it or worse yet, Gordon. You did say you didn't want her to know you were checking him out, right?"

"I'd tell her if she would listen to me," Harry replied. "She gets mad whenever I try to broach the subject so I thought I'd just get everything I could and then show it all to her."

"I can understand that," Luna said. "Did you want to order something before we get started?"

"No I'm not hungry," Harry replied.

"So do you want the bad news or the worse news first?" she asked.

"Just tell me everything," Harry said, looking at her intently. "I had a run in with him yesterday and I'm itching to put him in his place."

"What happened?" Luna asked.

"He was at the house studying with Hermione and I caught him sneaking upstairs," Harry rolled his eyes. "He said he was going to the loo but he knows where that is by the living room."

"Sort of puts into context what I found out," Luna said, shaking her head. "You're not going to like this at all, Harry."

"Tell me, please." He leaned forward.

"I found out more about what he did to get expelled from Beauxbatons," Luna said. "There was a young girl who was a year under Gordon. She found out he was trying to get the answers to an exam before the test by breaking into a professor's office. When he found out that she'd seen him, he..."

"He what?" Harry asked, his eyes wide.

Luna exhaled. "He performed a memory charm on her to rid her of her memories. But, before he did that, he roughed her up quite a bit to make it seem like something sinister had occurred.

"He hit her?" Harry's eyes grew even wider.

"Yes," Luna said softly. "He broke her nose and jaw."

"Merlin!" Harry gasped.

Luna produced a few sheets of parchment. "These were the reports that were filed at the school. They're in French, but I had a friend translate them for me."

"And his father paid off the girl's family to keep this quiet?" Harry asked, looking at the parchments.

"Yes," Luna said in disbelief. "Can you believe that? How could a parent allow that to happen?"

"I don't know..." Harry shook his head. "If that happened to my daughter I'd kill the bastard."

"I know," Luna said, watching as Harry processed this news. She almost didn't want to tell him what she'd found out next.

"So is that the bad or the worse news?" Harry asked.

"If you can believe it, it's only the bad news," Luna replied. "Are you ready for the other?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I think..."

"Um, you remember that reporter from the Daily Prophet who went missing?" she asked.

"Andrew Murphy right?" Harry asked.

Luna nodded. She produced a photo from her bag and slid it across the table to Harry. "That's him on the right and do you recognize the face on the left?"

"Shit..." Harry breathed. "Gordon and this Andrew bloke knew each other?"

"Apparently they were best mates at Durmstrang," Luna explained. "And those articles that were published about you earlier this year? I know there was no by-line, but I have it on good authority that it was Andrew who wrote those articles."

"And he got the information from Gordon," Harry began to piece together the information he was getting. "You know... I accused him of this yesterday but it was a blind accusation... or so I thought."

"Based on what I've learned about Gordon, I don't think it’s too much of a stretch to say he had something to do with Andrew's disappearance, do you?" Luna asked.

Harry paled. "You know... I hadn't thought of that."

"I get chills just thinking about it," Luna said quietly. "I can't even imagine what this is like for you...he's been in your home. He's been alone with Hermione..."

"Damn it," Harry hit the table with his fist.

"What are you going to do?" Luna asked concernedly.

“I don't know," Harry ran his hands through his hair. "She gets mad whenever I try to even approach the subject of Gordon Devereaux. She knows I don't like the bloke but since he's her 'friend'..."

"You have to be nice to him," Luna finished for him. "Hermione can't argue with this evidence, though. And I'm nowhere near completing the research. I'm still trying to find out some things about his parents, but I keep coming up on a dead end with that."

"Okay..." Harry sighed. "I'm going out of town this next week but I'll ask Ron and Seamus to drop in on her and keep an eye out for him. I think he's been sneaking around outside, Lavender and Seamus caught him peeking in our windows one night."

"Ron told me about that," Luna said. "If I wasn't going to Boston tomorrow, I'd offer to stay with her. What about Cho? Have you thought about asking her to stay with Hermione?"

"I brought the subject up to Hermione but she sort of took it the wrong way... plus it'd be hard to have Cho pack up Chiaki and bring everything she needs to the cottage. And she and Neville don't have the room to house Hermione either." Harry sat back, drumming his fingers on the table. "Well... you'll send me anything you can find right?"

"I will," Luna promised. "Everything will work out okay, Harry. She'll see what he's really like. Hopefully it'll be before it's..." When she saw the look on Harry's face, her voice trailed off. "I'm sorry Harry. I didn't mean-"

"I know you didn't, but I can't help but think the same thing." he pulled the research parchments to him. "I should show these to her--"

"When are you going to do that?" Luna asked.

"I should show her now, but with me going out of town... I don't know. I'm all confused now." Harry complained.

"He might try something while you're away," Luna said, hoping that she was wrong, but having a feeling that Gordon might move in for the kill, so to speak. "It might be a good idea to go ahead and let her see what I found out."

"Yeah but what if she tells him off and then he goes after her?" Harry asked. "I won't be here to keep him out."

Luna racked her brain for a possible solution. An idea came to her, but she didn't know how to broach the subject with Harry. "There may be a way that you could...No, it's a stupid idea."

"What?" Harry asked.

"You love Hermione right?" Luna asked him. "You'd do anything to protect her, right? You want to spend the rest of your life with her, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Harry replied.

Luna bit her bottom lip and wondered the best way to say this. "Have you thought of asking her to marry you, Harry? I'm sure you have and you've probably put it off, but maybe if you do this now, it'll say to that Gordon person that she's with you and that's not going to change. Maybe it'll be what finally gets him to see the light."

Harry looked straight at her. "That was another thing I hinted at yesterday only it was a blind threat. But... I guess in the scheme of things I don't really know what we're waiting for. We've both said eventually we want to get married." he coughed. "Think about it... less than a year and I went from a confirmed bachelor to a guy head over heels and ready to be married."

Luna smiled. "What a difference a year has made for all of us." She put a hand on Harry's arm. "And are you...ready to be married?"

"I don't know if it'll be much different than what we're living like now," Harry gave her a half smile.

"She'll have your last name," Luna answered, trying in some way to cheer him up. "Knowing Hermione though, she'd probably hyphenate it or ask you to take her last name."

Harry chuckled. "Don't tell her that, it might give her ideas." he blew out his breath. "Thanks Luna."

"You're welcome," she said, sliding out of the booth after him. "Looks as if you and I are both going to have big decisions to make."

"Any idea yet on if you're going to take that job?" Harry asked as they left the pub.

"Considering that everyone here keeps telling me to do what makes me happy, I still have no idea," Luna said glumly. "My dad says he'll miss me, but that he couldn't be more proud. Ron says he'll support me in whatever I do. I wish someone would just tell me what to do."

"Unfortunately we can't," Harry squeezed her shoulders. "You have to do what makes you happiest."

"You're of no help at all," Luna said, giving him a hug. "But I still love you anyway."

Harry kissed her cheek. "Thanks again for everything you've done so far."

"I wish I could do more," she said. "I'll keep you posted."

"Okay," Harry replied. "Guess this means I'm going ring shopping."

*** *** ***

Lavender snuggled in the crook of Seamus’s arm as they lay together on his sofa. They had both been busy over the past few weeks and hadn’t been able to spend a lot of time together so she’d jumped at the chance to spend an evening at his flat.

They’d both started the night working on their respective projects- her with some new designs for the shop and him with some plans for his film, which was to be screened very soon to an audience. One thing had led to another and soon they were on the sofa, snogging and now she was lying next to him, their clothes scattered about the floor.

“I’ve missed that,” she nuzzled his ear.

"Have you now?" he asked with a laugh. "This from the girl who cancelled out on me twice last week..."

"I told you that wasn't my fault," Lavender rested her chin on his chest, her long blonde hair spilling over her shoulders. "Besides, you cancelled out on me too!"

"I hope you realize that I would much rather have spent my time with you then that terrible crew of mine," Seamus said, kissing her forehead. "To be fair, they've actually done okay these last few days. No one's managed to break anything or nearly decapitate an actor."

"You'd better knock on wood," Lavender laughed.

"I would," Seamus said, "but I seem to have my hands full at the moment."

"Hmmm that's true..." Lavender kissed him. "And for good reason."

He laughed. "A very good reason." They lay there in silence, both enjoying the feeling of being together like this since it'd been quite some time since they had.

"I know you're a busy up and coming fashion designer, but do you think you could accompany a certain film student to his screening in a couple of weeks?" Seamus finally asked her.

"Hmmm that depends on what's in it for this up and coming fashion designer," Lavender replied cheekily.

"How about her boyfriend's everlasting love and gratitude?" Seamus suggested. "And said film student would really appreciate it if this fashion designer would remember that he went to that party with her and even danced which he doesn't ever do..."

"Right," Lavender interrupted. "Well I'm sure I can go, but remind me a few days before will you?"

"That I will," Seamus said. "Do you think everyone else will go, too? I haven't asked them yet because I know everyone's busy..."

"I'm sure everyone would make time for it," Lavender looked up at him. "This is a pretty big thing for you isn't it?"

"I've sort of given mind, heart and soul to it," Seamus admitted. "I know it's just a student film, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?"

"Of course," Lavender gave him another kiss. "Like I started out as a salesgirl in a robe shop... Luna started as a clerk in her father's office, Ron started out as a salesman in his brother's shop... look at us all know. You're just finally getting there too," she smiled at him.

He kissed her softly. "Who knows? Maybe someday you'll be accompanying me to a big Hollywood premiere and then of course, the Academy Awards. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, eh?"

"Aim high, that's you Seamus Finnigan," Lavender teased.

His stomach growled at that moment and the two of them broke into a fit of laughter.

"Someone's a little hungry," she said. "I suppose we should eat if we ever plan on getting up again."

Seamus frowned. "I don't think I have anything that could be remotely considered edible. I haven't had a chance to run to the shops and unless you fancy some green crisps, we'd better go out."

"Yuck," Lavender made a face as she slid off him. "Then maybe we'd better stock up your icebox as well while we're out."

"Might be a good idea," Seamus said as he scrabbled around the floor for his clothes. He found his trousers beside Lavender's bra. He handed her the bra and with a cheeky grin said, "I believe this is yours..."

"Aye unless you're into wearing those," Lavender snatched it away and put it on.

"Very funny, Miss Brown," he said throwing her blouse at her.

Lavender finished getting dressed and went into the loo to tie her hair back. "When we come back I really need to get a few more designs done," she said. "That sketchpad you gave me is really a huge help."

"I'm glad," he said, as he slipped into his trainers. She came out of the bathroom and he held her cloak. "So what do you feel like?" he asked, as he helped her put it on. "Chinese? Italian? Thai?"

"Sushi," Lavender bit her lower lip to keep from laughing at what his face might look like.

"Um," he said, trying not to wince at the mention of sushi. "Well, if that's what you really want, we could...but you know that Italian restaurant is just around the corner and ..."

"Seamus I'm just kidding," she laughed. "Honestly, I just love how you look whenever I say that word."

"Come on, Lav," Seamus said, holding the door open for her. "It's raw fish! I mean, that's just wrong. Everyone knows fish should be grilled, or baked, or fried. Even Ron, who will eat anything on the planet, turns his nose up at sushi."

"And it's delicious," Lavender said.

"It's disgusting," he countered.

"It's a refined taste," she informed him.

"How about we just agree to disagree on this one?" he asked her.

"Sounds good to me," Lavender snuggled against him. "Goodness this wind makes it so chilly! Just as it was finally starting to warm up again."

"You just want to snuggle while we walk," he teased. "I can see right through you, Lav."

"I don't need an excuse for that," she retorted.

"You most certainly don't," he said, pulling her close.

*** *** ***

Ron wiped the sweat from his forehead as he and Harry made it downstairs to bring up the next load. His friends were helping him and Luna move into their new place, but unfortunately, Luna wasn't there. She was still in Boston and wasn't due back for another couple of days. Because a few Muggles lived in this building as well, they had to use the Muggle way to move in and no one was particularly happy about it.

Seamus and Neville had just carried a table upstairs. Ron sighed as he walked over to moving van they'd borrowed. "Do you think we could get the sofa upstairs?" Ron asked as he went inside. When he didn't get a response from Harry, he poked his head out to see his friend lost in thought. The entire day Harry had been quiet and somewhat moody. Ron had a feeling he knew why.

"Harry?" he asked, jumping out of the van. "You okay?"

He jumped. "Fine, just fine." he said quickly.

"Liar," Ron said.

"Why do you care?" Harry snapped a bit irritably. "I'm here helping aren't I?"

"Ease up, Harry," Ron said frowning at him. "I appreciate you helping, but I don't appreciate the attitude. You've been in a snarky mood since you walked in the door. Pardon me for asking if you were okay."

"Sorry," Harry grunted.

"Luna told me what she found out about Gordon," Ron said cautiously. "I can see why you'd be upset."

Harry sighed as he and Ron went up the stairs. "Yeah... and I tried to bring up the subject again and Hermione actually got up and left the room. She just won't listen to me." he looked over at his best friend. "Did Luna tell you what I'm thinking of doing?"

"I didn't think she was serious," Ron admitted. When he saw the look on his friend's face, he stopped walking. "You're really going to do it then?"

"Well soon as I can find a ring that I think she'll like," Harry said. "Merlin... getting married never seemed like such a big deal until I started thinking seriously about it."

"I take it you're going to leave out the part where you tell her you're doing this because you think it will cause the psycho stalker to back off?" Ron asked with a laugh.

"Probably," Harry hoisted the end of the sofa again as they climbed the last set of stairs. "I mean... in the long run I'd marry her anyway so..."

"The psycho stalker just helped speed things up," Ron finished for him.

Harry smiled for the first time that day. "Yeah... at least one good thing came from Gordon Devereaux eh?"

Neville came up behind them and he had a surprised expression on his face. "I know I didn't hear you say that something good came from Gordon Devereaux, did I?"

Ron smirked as Harry chuckled. "Well if you count me proposing, then yes."

"Proposing?" Neville asked. "You?"

"Yeah, sometime soon," Harry replied. He told Neville and Seamus, who had walked into the room as well, all about what Luna had found out. "And I'm thinking if I propose, then maybe he'll realise that Hermione will never be his and back off. I'm worried he might try something."

"Are you sure you ought to be leaving her?" Seamus asked. "If you're worried about her being alone with this bloke..."

"Well that's why I'm hoping you guys will stop in," Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "I was going to ask you that later today when we finished up."

"Won't she be upset if she thinks you've got us looking after her?" Seamus asked. "I certainly don't mind doing it, but Hermione strikes me as quite independent. She's going to think you don't feel she can take care of herself."

"Well you guys won't be looking after her... just drop in, to borrow something or for food..." he looked at Ron meaningfully.

"She'd definitely buy that," Ron said with a grin. "I'm always doing that anyway."

"Exactly," Harry agreed.

"Maybe Lavender and I can bring over some movies and keep her company?" Seamus suggested.

"You guys are great," Harry sat down on the sofa next to Ron.

"So when are you going to ask her?" Neville asked. "And don't worry, I won't tell Cho. We all know how well she keeps secrets, don't we?"

"I'm not sure yet," Harry replied. "I guess... after we get back next week."

"Harry?" Seamus asked his friend. "Have you asked her parents about this yet? I imagine they'd want to know that you're planning to propose. Parents love it when you do stuff like that. I imagine Dr. Granger would appreciate that."

"He'll be lucky if Dr. Granger doesn't kill him," Ron deadpanned.

"Hey her father and I are getting along really well now!" Harry frowned. "But maybe I'll go talk to him about it."

"It's been nice knowing you," Ron joked, getting to his feet.

"Sod off," Harry replied.

"He has a point," Seamus said with a shudder. "Dr. Granger can be a bit...scary."

"He's really not a bad guy," Harry replied. "Sometimes a little overbearing but--"

"A little overbearing?" Ron asked. "Do you remember the look on his face that night you two moved into your cottage? You guys, I haven't seen Harry that scared since..."

"Only because you were shouting around about Hermione and I shagging!" Harry said.

Neville nearly fell over laughing. "That's right! I'd forgotten about that!"

"Lav told me about the time Hermione's parents dropped by and interrupted them," Seamus chimed in.

"That was bad," Harry laughed at the memory.

"On the bright side, you've made it through all that alive," Neville said, patting his friend on the back. "A little thing like asking her dad if you can marry his daughter should be a breeze."

"Right," Harry replied. "Well... let's get you finished up here Ron. I've got to get home and pack soon."

"Right you are, Mr. Granger," Ron teased.

"Hey!" Harry said. "The same could go for you- Ronald Lovegood."

"You know they say that your sex drive isn't what it once was after you get married," Ron said. "You sure you want to get married, Rabbit?"

"I don't think Hermione and I will ever have any sexual problems," Harry smirked at Ron while Neville and Seamus groaned. "She likes it when I put my fingers--"

"TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" Ron shouted, covering his ears. "Don't say things like that in my new home!"

Harry grinned. "Then don't ask next time."

"Fair enough," Ron said, shuddering. "Fair enough."

"Okay," Seamus said. "Now that we've heard even more about Harry's sex life, let's finish up like he said we should do ten minutes ago."

"Good," Neville said, looking at his watch. "I still need to pack and I want to spend some time with the wife and Chiaki."

"What else is still outside?" Harry asked Ron.

Ron thought for a moment. "Um, the mattress and box spring and there's a few boxes. And I need to go and get the dog from my mum's."

"Why don't you go do that and the rest of us will finish bringing everything up here." Seamus suggested. "Then you can settle in and not have to worry about going out later."

"You don't mind?" Ron asked. "I don't know how long I'll be. My mum's still crying about the fact that she no longer has any children left at home. She was talking about breaking out the photo albums when I left this morning."

"Want one of us to go with you for damage control?" Harry asked, holding in his laughter.

"Yeah, why don't you go and tell her you're going to propose?" Ron suggested. "I'm sure she'll be crying her eyes out over that, too. That and the fact that you still haven't brought Hermione over to meet her yet."

"Shit," Harry said. "Neville?"

"What?" Neville asked.

"Go over with Ron so he's not stuck there all night?" Seamus asked.

"Sure, send in the guy with the baby," Neville said with a laugh.

"We're all screwed," Harry joked.

"My mum's relentless," Ron admitted. "Don't worry. I can handle it alone. I find it hard to believe the rest of you lot were in Gryffindor with me."

Harry cursed at him playfully and they all went downstairs. The three men got everything else from the moving van and brought it back up to the flat. "So should we unpack or should we leave it all for Ron?" Seamus asked.

"I vote for leave it all for Ron," Neville said setting the last box down. "I'm knackered. Besides, we don't know where half of this mess is supposed to go. We've done our part. I say we go home."

"Sounds good to me," Harry said. "After I pack I'll have time for one last shag before we leave."

"Sod off, Harry," Neville and Seamus said in unison.

Ron expected to find his friends still at his flat when he returned with Paddington a half hour later, so he was surprised to find the place empty as he opened the front door. “Ow, Paddy that hurt!” the dog was scrambling around for some reason and caused Ron to trip and fall against the wall. “What the hell has you so excited?” he unsnapped the leash from the dog’s collar and Paddington took off into the kitchen.

"Easy boy!" a familiar voice said from the kitchen. "I missed you!"

Ron stopped in his tracks. "Luna?" he asked. It couldn't be- she wasn't due home for another three days.

A few seconds later, Luna emerged from the kitchen, Paddington excitedly in tow. "I thought you'd have the place sorted by now," she said softly, a smile plastered across her face.

Ron stared at her. "What are you doing here?"

She laughed. "I live here, don't I?"

"Yeah but... you... in Boston and..." Ron was still staring. "I thought you weren't coming back until this weekend?"

She grinned. "I wasn't. The, um...editors called me in today and asked for a decision. I had made up my mind. I was going to do it. I was going to take them up on their offer..."

"Oh..." Ron said. "Well that's great--"

"I thought so too," she said, leaning down to calm Paddington who was begging for her attention. She laughed and sat down on the floor so the dog could rest his head on her lap. "But right as I was about to sign the contract, something stopped me. My hand literally froze over the contract, Ron."

"And what happened?" Ron joined his girlfriend on the floor.

"I couldn't do it," she said shaking her head. "Boston's a great city and that job would have been perfect, but it could never be my home. My home is where my friends are, where my family is, and where you are. This is where I want to be. This is the only place I've ever wanted to be."

"Luna are you sure?" Ron asked. "Writing for such a big paper is your dream!"

"It's ONE of my dreams," she corrected him. "And The Quibbler may not be as big as the Daily Prophet, but I think its well on its way. I'd like to be there when it happens. I'd like to be a reason why it happens."

Ron grinned. "So... you're staying here? You're really staying here?"

She beamed back at him. "Yes, I think so. If you'll have me, that is?"

Ron laughed. "If I'll have you?" he asked. "Don't I already have you?"

"At the moment, I think Paddy has me," she said with a giggle, trying to get up to kiss Ron, but Paddington was stubbornly keeping his head planted to her lap. "You'll have to come over here."

"Blasted mutt," Ron said, leaning over to press his lips to hers.

"He's a bit territorial, isn't he?" Luna asked when they broke apart.

"Maybe," Ron grinned down at the puppy. "He's really not that bad. Better company than I thought."

Luna looked around the flat which was cluttered with boxes and furniture. "We have our work cut out for us, don't we?" she asked.

"Just a bit," Ron replied. "We have such great friends," his sarcasm was evident. "Thought they might help us unpack but instead they run off for a shag."

Luna laughed. "I hate to break it you, but they finished off the food you had in the kitchen, too."

"Those bastards," Ron swore. "Guess this means we'll have to get some takeout."

"They're probably just getting you back, love," Luna teased, as she again tried to get up, but failed. "Do you think he missed me?"

"Maybe just a little," Ron said. "Hey Paddy come here!" he stood across the room and clapped his hands and to his delight, the dog got up and obediently walked over to him. "How's that?" he grinned at Luna.

"Much better," she said, getting to her feet. "Your mum's obviously been feeding him well."

"Aye, he eats better than I do," Ron laughed.

"I did manage to bring you back something I'd knew you'd love," she said, disappearing back into the kitchen and coming back with a white bakery box. With a smile on her face, she opened the box and said, "Boston Crème Pie."

"Let's have that now," Ron said eagerly.

She held up two forks and looked around. The sofa was covered with boxes and she couldn't even see the chairs. "So...I guess we're sitting on the floor then?"

Ron nodded. "Guess so," he replied. "Let me shut this monster in the bedroom..." he led Paddington out of the kitchen.

Luna smiled at Ron when he came back into the kitchen. "You do realize that you don't get to eat the entire pie, don't you? You have to share."

"I realise that," Ron said. "I'll save you a few bites."

"A few?" Luna said with mock indignation. "I thought moving in together meant we shared everything."

"All right, four bites," Ron's eyes twinkled.

She ruffled his hair playfully. "Don't ever change, Ron."

"I didn't plan on it," Ron's mouth was already full. "Damn that's a good pie."

Luna took a bite and grinned. "This pie was one of the reasons I wanted to stay in Boston."

"What were the other reasons?" Ron asked.

She looked thoughtfully at him after she took another bite of pie. "I felt guilty about leaving Michael behind, but he was really great about it and he made me promise to visit often. And the paper was fantastic. They'd still like me to do some stories for them every now and then."

"Well there you go," Ron encouraged.

Luna looked up at Ron and started to giggle. "Ron! You have some whipped cream on your nose!"

"I do?" he asked. "Where?" he purposely swiped in the wrong place.

Luna giggled. She pointed at his nose, but he kept missing and she finally cottoned onto what he was trying to do. "I am not going to lick your face, Ron Weasley!"

“All right," Ron wiped off the cream. "What if... I got some on my lips?" he asked devilishly.

Luna smiled and dipped her finger in the pie and smeared some on his lips. "Like that you mean?"

"Exactly like that," Ron said, leaning in closer to her.

She softly kissed him. "Delicious," she whispered.

"Funny..." Ron kissed her again. "I was going to say the same thing about you."

*** *** ***

“So I know New Zealand is far away and I just want to be sure you’re fine here,” Harry said, trying one last time to convince Hermione to stay elsewhere. “You know, I’ll bet your parents would love to have you around again for a week.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Why don't you just hire a nanny to watch me while you're away?"

"I will if you want," Harry didn't realise at first that she was being sarcastic. "Sorry... I just hate the thought of you being here all alone while I'm gone is all."

"I appreciate your concern, I really do," she said choosing her words carefully. She hated when they fought and she didn't want to send him off to New Zealand on the heels of another blazing row. "But I've stayed here by myself before. Last time I checked I was a grown woman and I think I can handle myself quite well. I happen to be quite handy with a wand you know."

"I know," Harry stuffed the last of his clothing into his bag. "I'm sorry sweetheart."

"Besides, I'll hardly be alone," she said sitting back down on the edge of the bed. "Lavender's coming over later with some movies. Seamus was going to come with, but he's still finishing up his movie."

"Well that'll be nice," Harry smiled.

"And Gordon's coming over tomorrow afternoon after class so we can finish up our project," she said watching as Harry zipped up his bag. She saw him freeze at the mention of Gordon. "What? You're not still on about that, are you?" she asked him.

"I can't help it," Harry replied. "I don't think he's right in the head..." he'd tried to broach the subject again with her after coming back from Ron's but was met with a cold glare so he'd stopped.

"Can we please not get into this now?" she asked pleadingly. "You're leaving in a few minutes and I really don't want to fight. And just because he's not into Quidditch and he doesn't like the same things that you do, doesn't mean that he's 'not right in the head'."

"All right," Harry replied. "There are a few other things I'd rather do before I have to go..."

"Now you're talking," she said standing up from the bed and wrapping her arms around his waist. She rested her forehead on his. "I'll make a deal with you, Harry."

"What's that?" he asked, threading his fingers into her soft hair.

"I'll let you take me flying," she began.

"Really?" Harry interrupted.

"Yes," she said, smiling at the look of excitement on his face. "But..."

"Uh oh there's a catch isn't there," Harry asked.

"Yes," she said. "I really want you to ease up on Gordon." She felt him tense up. "I know you don't like him. Okay, I get that. I don't understand it, but I get it. But, he's not had the easiest time, Harry. His parents have pretty much ignored him these last few years. He thinks they're embarrassed by him. I'm one of the few friends he has..."

Harry snorted. "I wonder why they're embarrassed of him..." he muttered.

"He thinks they're disappointed in him," Hermione explained. "He's gone against their wishes and they won't understand that he wants a career of his own. His dad sort of tried to push him into things and they never really had that great of a relationship. You should see how sad and lost he looks when he talks about them."

"Right," Harry said sarcastically.

"He needs me, Harry," Hermione said frowning at him. "He's my friend. Why can't you understand that?"

Harry didn't know what to say. "I just think he's depending too much on you," he finally said. "He's got to have other friends yet he's always here."

Hermione sighed. "He's kind of a loner. Not everyone understands him."

"Well how would you feel if I brought someone like Isabella around all the time?" Harry tried to counter. "That's how I feel about Gordon."

"YOU can't be serious," Hermione said shaking her head. "Harry! I've never been involved with Gordon! You slept with bloody Isabella! I think that's a bit different!"

"That's not the point," Harry sighed and stepped away from his girlfriend. "My point was that she's someone you don't like, and Gordon's someone I don't like." he picked up his bag. "So much for taking you flying."

"Harry!" Hermione said coming up behind him. "Look, as much as I hate to admit it, you do have a point. If you don't want him coming around here, I won't bring him around. But, I'm not going to stop being his friend."

He stood with his back to her. "Please, don't leave like this. I don't want you to go away angry," she said softly. "Please..."

"I'm not angry," Harry said. "I just don't see why you have to turn a deaf ear to me whenever I try to tell you why I don't like the bloke."

"You're right," she said with a sigh. "I should listen to you. You listened to me when I was all insecure about Isabella. I'm sorry. I just wanted you and Gordon to like each other."

Harry dropped his head down. "Look... when I get back we'll have a long chat about this all right? You hear me out and I'll hear you out."

"Deal," she said. "And you can still take me flying...if you promise to go slow and not too high."

Harry smiled. "We'll start slow and not too high..." he hugged her tightly. "I'll miss you."

She relaxed into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. "What time is your portkey?"

"One minute," Harry replied.

"Damn," she whispered.

"Not enough time to shag," Harry's eyes twinkled at her.

"You don't suppose Lupin would let you be a little late?" she asked hopefully. "I'm not ready to let you go just yet."

"If I'm late I might miss the portkey to New Zealand," Harry replied.

"Okay," she said reluctantly letting go of him.

"I love you," Harry stroked her cheek before pressing his lips to hers.

"I love you," she said, squeezing his hand. She could see the worried look in his eyes. "I'll be fine, Harry."

"All right," Harry said. "I'll see you on Saturday."

Hermione watched as he gave her one last grin before walking out of the bedroom. She sank back down on the bed glad that he didn't leave angry, but still upset that he couldn't see Gordon as she did.

From just outside the cottage, Gordon stood behind a stone pillar. He knew this was the night Potter was leaving and he didn't know what made him happier. The fact that the arrogant wanker was leaving or the fact that he now knew where to take Hermione to perform the binding spell.

Hermione lay back on the bed with a sigh, thinking she might catch a quick kip before her cousin arrived. She was just putting her head on the pillow when the doorbell rang.

Gordon paced excitedly in front of the door, trying to keep his emotions in check. This was the happiest he'd been in weeks and he knew it was risky coming to see her so soon after Potter had left, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to see her face. He wanted to hear her voice.

"Gordon?" Hermione blinked. "Were we supposed to meet tonight to work on our project?"

"No, no," Gordon said, giving her a sheepish smile. "I was just in the neighbourhood and I thought you might want to grab a cappuccino or something."

"Oh that sounds nice but my cousin is coming over in just a bit," Hermione said. "I'll take a rain check though."

"Oh," Gordon said, trying to mask his disappointment. "You look a bit sad. Is everything okay?"

"Oh I'm fine," Hermione gave him a half smile. "Harry's just left; I hate it when he goes away."

Gordon fumed. First she turns me down for coffee and then she has to bring up Potter, Gordon thought angrily. Instinctively, he felt his fists clench at his sides.

"So another time then?" Hermione asked, not noticing his rising anger.

Now, it seemed to Gordon as if she was trying to get rid of him. This did nothing to calm him. Potter completely had Hermione under his spell. He needed to get her away from Potter and soon.

"Yes," he finally managed to say, forcing a smile. "I'll hold you to that, Hermione."

"All right," Hermione sent him a smile. "I'll see you later then Gordon. Have a good night."

Gordon watched helplessly as she shut the door in his face. His first instinct was to break the door down and force her to see what Potter had done to her, but Potter's hold on her was too strong. Besides, he still had so much more to prepare.

"Your days of turning me down are over, Hermione," Gordon said icily as he stared at the closed door.

39. Chapter 39

Author's note: Don't know if we've mentioned this before, but this story is 45 chapters long. Some of you might feel as if its dragging along, but everything has been carefully planned out and we're trying to incorporate all of the couples without short-shifting some and keeping others on the backburner. This isn't just an H/Hr story, after all. Be patient with us and with the characters.

And everyone say hello to our new beta, the always lovely PerfectMisstake! And everyone have a Happy Christmas!!

Cho's first class that morning was ballet and she stood in front of the studio looking at her group of eight-year old girls. They were all trying to mimic what she was doing and Cho's heart swelled as she watched them. She was teaching the girls the ballet positions and of all the girls little Amelia Stout was having the worst trouble getting the positions down.

Cho walked behind the girls to see if their form was correct. When she reached Amelia, the little girl had a frustrated expression all over her face. "I'm never going to learn this!" Amelia exclaimed, stamping her foot.

"You'll be fine," Cho smiled. "This is only your third class. No one ever learns anything perfectly by the third class," she patiently helped the girl into position again.

"My mum says I have two left feet," Amelia said with a frown. "What does that mean?"

Cho stifled her laughter. "I say the same thing about my husband. It basically means you can't dance, but that's not true." she explained. "I've taught him a few things and he can work his way around a dance floor now."

Amelia crinkled her nose up. "I'm never going to dance with a boy! They're disgusting!"

"You'll change your mind someday," Cho patted her shoulder. "All right again!" she called out, taking her position back at the front of the room.

Cho managed to get the girls to go through each of the five positions and for the most part, they did fine. At the end of the class each of the girls came up and thanked her for the lesson.

"I can't wait until our next lesson," Amelia said, giving Cho a hug. "I've got to get rid of my other left foot."

Cho laughed. "Don't worry about that love, you'll lose it in time." she patted the girl's shoulder as she scampered out of the room. She busied herself with doing a general cleanup, humming a happy tune as she did so.

Luna stood in the doorway to the studio and grinned at her friend, who looked so happy and content. "Where do I sign up for lessons?" Luna asked teasingly as she properly stepped into the studio.

"Right here!" Cho laughed. "Although you don't need any lessons Luna Lovegood. You could give me a run for the money if you decided to open a studio as well."

Luna giggled as she gave her friend a hug. "This place looks amazing!"

"Thanks," Cho said. "It's doing really well; I'm going to have to open up another class for my young ballet students."

"I saw a few of them as I came in," Luna said with a grin. "They're so adorable!"

"They are cute aren't they?" Cho replied. "They're all really sweet as well. Did you know when they left they all thanked me for the lesson?"

"Awww," Luna said. "That's so much better than the guests at Hillsdale. Merlin, some of them didn't even give up a tip let alone say thank you."

"Tell me about it," Cho said. "I'm already making more doing this than we did at that place."

"I'm having my dad run some adverts for you in the next issue," Luna said with a wink. "Free of charge, of course."

"Luna that's so sweet of you!" Cho gushed. "Thank you so much!"

"It's the least I could do after all you did for me," Luna said, waving her hand.

"All I did for you?" Cho asked. "All of you guys have been amazing for me; I could never repay you for everything you all have done for me and Chiaki."

"You're my best friend," Luna said. "And it does my heart good to see you so happy."

"Thanks," Cho hugged her again. "So what brings you over here?"

Luna leaned against the wall. "I was doing a bit of research for Harry and I thought I'd stop by and see you before I went into the office."

"What sort of research?" Cho asked.

"He asked me to find out some information on Gordon Devereaux," Luna answered.

"Merlin is he still obsessing over that bloke?" Cho asked with a sigh. "He should know by now that Gordon Devereaux isn't going to do anything to his and Hermione's relationship."

"Cho," Luna interrupted. "You don't understand. There's something not right about Gordon." She briefly explained what she'd managed to find out about Gordon. She told Cho about Gordon's parents, his expulsion from Beauxbatons and the mysterious events behind it and she told her about the connection between Gordon and the missing Daily Prophet reporter.

"So based on all that, I'd say Harry has good reason to be worried," Luna said.

"Merlin..." Cho said again but this time in a completely different tone. "I had no idea!"

"Neither does Hermione," Luna said. "Harry's tried to tell her..."

"And she won't listen will she?" Cho said. "Those two are stubborn to a fault."

"Maybe we should call them mules instead of rabbits," Luna suggested with a laugh.

"Harry might kill us if we tried to take away his rabbit title," Cho smiled. "He enjoys that way too much."

"That he does," Luna said. "But you haven't even heard the best part...you have no idea what he's going to....No, forget I said that. Wow, look at the time! I better get going!"

"You just got here!" Cho said.

"Yes, but I was about to tell you something that I wasn't supposed to mention," Luna said quickly.

"What?" Cho said. "You're hiding something from me Luna!"

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I'm not hiding anything from you. I'm keeping something from you. There's a difference."

Cho crossed her arms and glared at her. "Come on Luna, that's totally unfair!"

"Cho, you know I love you, but if I tell you this, you'll tell Hermione and Harry will kill us both," Luna said.

"So it's something to do with them," Cho said. "What are they going to elope or something?"

"No," Luna said emphatically. "And it has nothing to do with them! You know me, I'm always spouting off at the mouth about some nonsense. You know I wouldn't just come right out and tell you that he was going to pro...promise me....um, I should really be going."

"Not so fast!" Cho said. "You can't hold out on me now!"

Luna fidgeted. "Oh, alright, but I swear if you tell anyone about this, I'll tell everyone that you used to have a crush on Lupin back when we were at Hogwarts."

Cho stared at her. "Fine... this must be really serious for you to resort to blackmail..."

"It is," Luna said quietly. "Okay, are you ready for this? He hasn't done it yet, but I reckon when Harry gets back from New Zealand, he's going to pop the question to Hermione."

"He's going to propose?!?" Cho shrieked.

Luna nodded. "See what you and Neville started?"

"Why is he doing that?" Cho ignored her question. "He told me they weren't going to worry about that anytime soon!"

Luna's smile faltered somewhat. "They weren't, but this situation with Gordon has sort of sped things up in a way. He thinks that if does this now, maybe Gordon will finally see that he doesn't have a chance."

"Cor..." Cho sat down on a chair. "I can't believe Harry didn't tell me this!"

"With your track record of keeping secrets?" Luna asked in disbelief.

"Right," Cho sighed. "Wow... Harry getting married..."

"You never know she may say no," Luna said sarcastically.

"Please," Cho said just as sarcastically.

Luna laughed, but a stern expression soon came over her face. "Listen to me, Cho. You aren't to breathe a word of this to Hermione. Harry wants it to be a surprise."

"I'll try," Cho said. "I'll really, really try I promise..."

Luna frowned. "Cho, maybe it'd be a good idea if you didn't see Hermione until after Harry and Neville get back. That way, you won't be tempted to tell her."

"What am I supposed to do if she rings or comes by?" Cho asked.

"Maybe she won't," Luna said hopefully. "She's been pretty busy with her classes. And if you do have to talk to her just tell her you're really busy with the baby. I know it's crazy, but you might let something slip and we can't chance that, can we?"

Cho gave her a look. "I guess," she muttered. "I'll bet I could keep it to myself if I really wanted to!"

Luna patted her friend on the shoulder. "You probably could, but I don't think it’s a good idea to chance it. How would you have felt if someone had told you that Neville was going to propose?"

"I don't know," Cho said. "I guess since he planned it out and everything and it was a complete surprised I'd have been annoyed," she toyed with her wedding ring. "All right, point taken. I'll keep my mouth shut and I'll try to stay away until Harry actually does it."

"Good girl," Luna said, looking down at her watch. "I should really get back to the office."

"Okay," Cho said. "Thanks for stopping by. And Mum's the word, I swear."

"Let's hope so," Luna said, grinning at her friend.

*** *** ***

Harry looked through a display of rings with a reluctant Neville at his side. “Come on Neville, I stayed with you when you were ring shopping for Cho in Florence.” He said as his friend sighed impatiently.

"Lupin finally gives us a break and you want to go shopping?" Neville asked. "Which was okay, but Harry--we've been to six shops already. Just pick one!"

“Hey it has to be the perfect ring all right?" Harry said.

Neville sighed again. "Pray tell me, Harry, what is the perfect ring?"

"I don't know," Harry replied testily. "I'll know it when I see it."

Neville nodded. "I hope the jeweller doesn't come over here again. That bloke was intense."

"Yeah, he seemed hell bent on selling me a ring from this store," Harry replied. "Almost made me want to leave."

"So, any idea on how you're going to pop the question?" Neville asked.

Harry paused a moment to scrutinize a large diamond. "Over dinner I think... I'll make reservations somewhere really nice and ask her during dessert."

“Sounds like a plan," Neville said. "Think she has any idea that you're going to do it?"

"I hope not." Harry looked hard at another ring. "It will only be a surprise if your wife doesn’t hear about it."

"I haven't told her," Neville said. "Merlin knows I love that woman with all that I have, but I think she has the biggest mouth on the planet."

"Aye she does," Harry turned to another display case.

Neville watched as his friend looked over some gold and silver rings. Harry had been somewhat preoccupied since they'd arrived and his head hadn't really been in the training. Lupin had even taken Harry aside earlier to ask him what was troubling him. Neville knew that it wasn't just nervousness about proposing to Hermione. He knew Harry was worried about Hermione's safety. From what he'd heard about Gordon, Neville knew Harry was right to worry.

"Hey what about this one!" Harry was bent over another case.

"Which one?" Neville asked, bending down to get a better look. "That silver one?"

"Yeah," Harry motioned to a different jeweller and the man pulled the ring out for him. It was sterling silver, engraved along the band with a large round diamond set in the centre. “This is it,” Harry decided.

When the jeweller mentioned how much the ring cost, Neville couldn't help his jaw dropping.

Harry held the ring, trying to picture how it would look on Hermione's finger. "She wears a size six ring," he said, disregarding the price completely.

"Excellent choice," the jeweller said, a broad grin on his face. Neville reckoned the jeweller was picturing the large commission he'd get on selling such an expensive ring.

"Once you buy it, there's no going back, Harry," Neville teased.

"Yeah I know," Harry said. "I wouldn't want to..."

"I was just teasing," Neville said quickly. "If ever two people were meant to be together, it's the two of you."

"Thanks Neville," Harry smiled at his friend. "I hope Hermione likes it as well."

"Are you kidding me?" Neville asked as he watched the jeweller box up the ring. "She's going to love it."

"I just hope she wants to get married too," Harry said, accepting the sales slip from the jeweller, along with the promise that the ring would be ready by the next morning.

"Why wouldn't she?" Neville asked pulling a confused face.

"Well we've talked about marriage, right around the time you proposed to Cho last year, and we both said that we'd eventually do it, but I don't think she meant so soon." Harry explained.

Neville nodded. "But when you think about it, it's not really that soon. I mean you two have been together for awhile now."

"Less than a year," Harry said. "You don't think it's too fast do you?"

"It doesn't matter what I think," Neville replied. "This is about what you think. Harry, you're not just doing this because of this Gordon bloke, are you? Don't bullshit me, either. Is that the real reason why you're doing this now?"

Harry looked away. "Partly," he said. "But I really do want to marry her Neville."

"You realize that if she knew this was why, she'd be really hurt, don't you?" Neville asked.

"That's why she'll never know," Harry turned his eyes on his friend.

"I certainly won't say anything to her about it," Neville said honestly.

"Well look I'm not JUST marrying her because of Gordon," Harry said a moment later. "I AM marrying her because I love her and because I want to be with her the rest of my life. That pregnancy scare we had awhile back just proves it to me. I was ready to drop Auror training if she needed me because we were about to become parents."

Neville smiled, satisfied with his friend's answer. In the time that he'd known Hermione, he'd come to see her as a great friend. "That's the answer I was looking for," Neville said.

Harry bumped his shoulder. "All right Longbottom how does a drink at that pub down the road sound? My treat?"

"That sounds fantastic," Neville replied.

"Hopefully I have some money left," Harry joked.

"I think you made that jeweller's year," Neville said laughing.

“I certainly hope so," Harry laughed as well.

"Come on then," Neville said leading the way down the sidewalk. "You owe me big for going shopping on our time off."

"Right, right..." Harry followed him. "I'll remember this when you're shopping for an anniversary band."

"Anniversary band?" Neville groaned. "I guess I should start saving now."

*** *** ***

Gordon walked into the library and scanned the crowded room for some sign of Hermione. Sure enough, he found her sitting in the back at her usual table. She was absently twirling a strand of her hair around her finger as she read. "Good afternoon," he said when he reached her.

"Afternoon," Hermione smiled up at him.

He visibly winced as he sat down as the strap of his bag pinched the cotton bandage he had wrapped around his right hand.

"Goodness what happened?" Hermione had noticed him flinch and saw the white band.

Gordon shrugged. He certainly wasn't going to tell her that after he'd stopped by the cottage the other night; he'd gone home and ransacked his apartment. He'd cut his hand rather badly when he slammed his fist through a glass table.

"Cooking accident," he lied. "I, um, cut my hand when I was dicing some tomatoes."

Hermione took his hand in hers, not noticing the look of pleasure on his face. "You sound worse than me at cooking," she teased lightly.

"I hope I'm not that bad," he joked.

"Oh come now, you liked that lasagne I made that one time," Hermione remarked. "I thought Harry was going to devour it whole."

Gordon jerked his hand away from hers at the mention of Potter.

"Oh did I hurt you?" Hermione was contrite. "I'm sorry Gordon!"

Gordon gave her a reassuring smile, but he wanted to tell her that yes, she had hurt him. She hurt him every single time she mentioned Potter. She hurt him every single time he pictured her alone with Potter. "You didn't hurt me," he said quickly. "I just hate you making a fuss. It's nothing, really."

"Are you sure it's not infected or anything?" Hermione was still concerned.

"Positive," Gordon replied. "I went to St. Mungo's right afterward. They gave me some ointment to put on it and it should be fine in a few days."

"Oh good," Hermione smiled at him. "You're smart enough not to let it get infected."

"Yeah, so smart I nearly cut my hand to bits," Gordon said self-effacingly. "I blame you, you know. If you'd taken me up on my offer for a cappuccino, I wouldn't have cut myself."

"Oh here we go," Hermione closed her book and shook her head, biting on her lower lip to keep herself from grinning. "Blame me because you're clumsy."

"I do," Gordon said shaking his head. "All my bad faults I can attribute to you, both directly and indirectly."

"Hey!" Hermione started to giggle.

"You were the one who put me in detention during second year!" Gordon said, swatting her on the arm. "You were the one who protested for longer hours in the library and convinced me to sit with you that entire night."

"And that's resulted in long lasting bad habits?" Hermione asked, giving him a look.

"Yes, it has," Gordon said, matching her look. "And you should feel supremely guilty. I am the man I am today because of you, Miss Hermione Jane Granger. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Ha," Hermione rolled her eyes. "As if I'd believe THAT,"

Gordon felt light-hearted just bantering back and forth like this with her. He could see them sixty years from now, sitting on a porch enjoying the same rapport that they were now.

"So, all kidding aside, what time should I be at your place?" he asked. "We've still got loads to do on this project."

"Oh..." Hermione thought of Harry. "How about we meet at your place? The cottage is a mess these days, especially after my cousin's stayed there."

Gordon looked up in surprise. He certainly couldn't have Hermione at his flat. She'd see the mess he'd made during his tantrum and she might find Andrew. He couldn't take that chance.

"We can't go to my place," he said simply. "We wouldn't get much work done, I'm afraid. My neighbours are really noisy. And I've tried every silencing charm known to man and it's hopeless."

"Oh," Hermione looked down. "Well... I guess... if we have no other place..."

"It sounds as if you don't want me to come by," Gordon said, knowing full well who was behind her change of heart.

"Well it's not that," Hermione tried to think of a good excuse. "Maybe we can work here. It's bound to be nice and quiet in the evenings." she looked around the library.

"It's Harry isn't it," Gordon said, adding a touch of sadness to his voice. "He doesn't want me there."

"No!" Hermione said. "Harry's not even there, he's still in New Zealand."

"I know he doesn't like me," Gordon said, deciding to play on her sympathies. "I've tried to get along with him, but he just doesn't seem to want to..."

"That's just... how Harry is," Hermione replied, feeling her face turn red. "Trust me, he wasn't all that great when I first met him and look at the two of us now."

"If you'd rather stop seeing me, I'd understand," Gordon said glumly. "I--I don't want to cause trouble for you, Hermione. I just want to be your friend."

"You ARE," Hermione said, putting her hand on his arm. "You're one of my good friends Gordon. Harry knows that and he'd never try to stop me from seeing my friends."

"You're the only real friend I have," Gordon said, his voice catching. "I've drifted apart from my parents and that whole mess with Skylar, it just hurts so much. Your friendship means so much to me, Hermione. I don't want to lose that. But, I don't want to cause problems between you and Harry."

"You aren't causing any problems," Hermione said firmly.

He smiled. "I hope you know how wonderful you really are, Hermione. I've always thought that."

"Oh thanks," Hermione flushed even redder. "I'm really not that great."

"Yes you are," he said, touching her arm. "I bet Harry doesn't even know what a gem he has in you."

"I think he does," Hermione smiled. "He's always telling me how glad he is that we found one another."

Gordon forced a smile. "So, should we get to work then?"

"Sure," Hermione said, pushing her book aside and pulling a sheaf of parchment out of her bag.

Gordon tried to concentrate on their work, but he was too busy thinking about his plans. He could sense a crack in the perfect facade of Harry and Hermione's relationship. Perhaps, he wouldn't need the spell after all. He could play the supportive friend and let her know that he'd be there for her whenever she needed him. Potter would screw up eventually and Gordon would be there to pick up the pieces. But, Gordon thought miserably, Potter had a way of coming out smelling like a rose every time.

The spell was truly the only chance he had to make Hermione his forever.

*** *** ***

Seamus felt like an absolute idiot. He had promised Harry that he would drop by the cottage once or twice during the time he was gone. Ron had gone the previous night and had eaten half of the food in their kitchen, so now it was his turn. He tried to stay out of sight in case Hermione happened to look out the window; he didn't want her to know that Harry wanted the two of them checking up on her.

"Seamus? Seamus Finnigan, is that you?" a familiar voice called out rather loudly behind him. "What on earth are you doing lurking about outside Hermione's cottage?"

"Lav!" he jumped. "What are you doing here?" Seamus stared at his girlfriend.

"I believe I asked you first," she said, staring at him. She was about to open her mouth to say something else when Seamus grabbed her by her arm and shushed her. He pulled her behind a large oak tree.

"Okay, you need to tell me what is going on and you need to tell me right now," Lavender said crossly.

"Promise me first that you won't get mad," Seamus said anxiously.

Lavender's mouth fell open. "Oh Merlin! Oh Merlin! You're some sort of a pervert, aren't you? This whole entire time I've thought you were perfect, but here you are...standing outside my cousin's...."

"Lavender!" it was Seamus's turn to be angry.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly. "Please. Go on. Explain."

"Well... Harry sort of asked me and Ron to check up on the place while he was gone," Seamus replied.

"Why?" Lavender asked.

"Just to keep an eye on things," Seamus said evasively.

Lavender wished it wasn't so dark outside so she could get a good read on Seamus' face. She had a feeling though that he wasn't being entirely honest with her.

"Hermione's more than able to take care of herself," Lavender argued. "Has something happened with one of You-Know-Who's supporters? Have they come back to seek revenge on Harry? Are they using Hermione to do it?"

She heard Seamus groan impatiently.

"Honestly," he said. "He's just worried about that Gordon bloke all right? Luna found out some things about him and he's worried that he might try something while Harry is in New Zealand."

Lavender nodded. "What sorts of things? Come on, Seamus. She's my cousin. If she's in danger, I think I should know!"

Seamus sighed impatiently again and explained what he knew to her. "And every time Harry tries to tell Hermione, she turns away and won't listen," he said.

"I knew that Gordon was up to no good," Lavender said smugly. "But does anyone ever listen to me? Noooooo, of course not!"

"Right, the always perfect and all knowing Lavender Brown," Seamus replied.

"Shut it, you," she said, swatting at him blindly in the dark. "Should I say something to Hermione about this?"

"I don't know," Seamus said. "That's up to you."

"She probably wouldn't listen," Lavender said thoughtfully. "And we're so close now; I don't want to ruin that. I guess I'll just let Harry handle it from here."

"I think Luna's still digging up information for him too," Seamus said.

"Good," Lavender said with a weak smile. "I-I was going over to see if Hermione wanted to grab a bite to eat. Did you want to come with?"

"Sure, since I'm already here," Seamus took her hand.

Lavender and Seamus slowly made their way toward the cottage. Lavender rang the doorbell and when no one immediately came to the door, Lavender looked at Seamus. "You didn't see her leave, did you?" she asked.

"No, she was just down in the living room there a few minutes ago." Seamus's eyebrows knit together as he rang the doorbell again.

A few moments later, Hermione finally came to the door and Lavender breathed a sigh of relief. Her cousin looked quite frazzled, however.

"Hermione?" Lavender asked slowly. "What took you so long to get to the door?"

"Sorry," Hermione replied absently. "I was just... going through my closet..." she stepped back to let her cousin and Seamus come in.

"Did you lose something?" Lavender asked.

"No... well... yes, I mean..." Hermione sighed. "Apparently I'm misplacing my clothes, because four of my jumpers are missing, along with two dresses, three skirts and a pair of jeans. Also, SIX of my bloody robes are gone as well!"

"And where's your locket?" Lavender asked, looking at her cousin. "You haven't taken that off since Harry gave it to you for Christmas. Oh, Hermione! Don't tell me you lost that, too?"

"No, my locket is upstairs in my jewellery box," Hermione replied with a frown.

"I could see you misplacing one jumper or maybe even two," Lavender said with a laugh. "But you're the most organized person I know. The only thing, I've ever known you to lose is your patience...and your temper."

"Very funny," Hermione gave her a look. "Why are you here?"

"We thought we'd take you out for a bite to eat," Seamus said giving her a sympathetic smile. "My treat, of course."

"Oh, that's really nice of you," Hermione softened.

"So does that mean you're going to come?" Lavender asked. "Come on, Hermione. You've got to eat. And I'll have someone to commiserate with when Seamus here goes on and on about how Citizen Kane is a masterpiece...and he rags on me again for falling asleep through it the fourth time he tried to get me to watch it."

"It's a great film!" Seamus exclaimed.

"It's a boring film," Lavender said, rolling her eyes.

"That is a good film," Hermione smiled conspiratorially at Seamus.

"Not you, too," Lavender said, shaking her head. "It's about some stupid man and some wonky sled called Rosebud. Boring!"

Hermione shook her head. "This comes from the girl whose favourite movie is that American film Clueless."

Lavender glared at Hermione. "Now' that's a great film! And I'll have you know it was a modern adaptation of that Jane Austen book, Emma. So there, Miss Smarty-pants and Mister High-Brow Movie Man."

Hermione and Seamus looked at each other and laughed. "You only like it because they go shopping," Hermione said between giggles.

"That's not the only reason I like it," Lavender replied defensively. "And at least my favourite movie doesn't put you to sleep like someone else's I might add."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione and Seamus asked at the same time.

"Citizen Kane is a better sleep aid than any sleeping draught out there," Lavender said simply.

Seamus shook his head. "One day I'll have you bloody trained to appreciate the finer movies."

"The day you get me to stay awake through that movie is the day I get a personality transplant," Lavender replied hotly. "Besides, we didn't come over here to debate films, did we? We came over here to take Hermione out and she hasn't answered our question. So, Miss Granger..."

"All right," Hermione replied. "Let me get my bag."

Lavender watched as Hermione went upstairs to collect her bag. "Do you think she saw through us?" she asked in hushed tones to Seamus.

"I don't think so," Seamus replied in the same low tone. "It probably helps that we came up to the door together..."

"Yeah," Lavender said, nodding. "This whole thing with Gordon gives me the chills."

Seamus wrapped his arms around his shoulders and kissed the side of her head. "I hope Harry gets back on time," he said. "I don't like sneaking around like this."

"Neither do I," Lavender whispered. "I don't like her staying here alone."

"Maybe you should stay the rest of the week with her," Seamus suggested.

"How am I going to get her to agree to that?" Lavender asked.

"I don't know," Seamus said. "You're the charming one not me."

"I am, aren't I?" she said smiling at him.

Hermione came back into the hallway. "Okay," she said. "Sorry it took me so long..."

"So what are you two ladies in the mood for tonight?" Seamus asked. He gave a warning look to Lavender. "And please don't say sushi."

Hermione made a face. "Yes, please don't say sushi." she shuddered. "How about pizza?"

"Pizza sounds fine," Lavender said grinning at her boyfriend. "I wasn't even going to mention sushi."

"Right," Seamus said sarcastically.

"So, have you heard from Mr. Wonderful?" Lavender asked as Seamus held the door open for them.

"No," Hermione said with a sigh. "I know he's busy though so I wasn't thinking I would hear from him."

Hermione had confided to Lavender about the argument she and Harry had before he'd left for New Zealand. "Everything will be okay," Lavender said, putting an arm around her cousin. "You two just need to have your talk and it'll be okay."

"I know," Hermione said. "And now I've promised to go flying with him as well..."

Lavender snorted. "You? On a broom?"

"Sod off," Hermione slid into one side of a booth as Lavender and Seamus got into the other.

"Were you pissed at the time you made this promise?" Lavender asked.

"No," Hermione said. "He's... just very persuasive is all."

"You were having sex at the time, weren't you?" Lavender asked.

"Oi! You two aren't the only ones at this table!" Seamus broke in.

"I didn't bring it up," Hermione said.

"Alright, alright," Lavender said. "But, seriously, Hermione! Are you really going to do this? Fly?"

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," Hermione said, only slightly hesitant.

"Trust me Hermione, there's no one better than Harry to take you flying, and I'm not just saying that because you're his girlfriend." Seamus smiled at her.

"That's true, Hermione," Lavender admitted. "He'd never let anything happen to you."

"I do feel safer when Harry's around..." Hermione said thoughtfully. "Which I suppose is a bit ridiculous since there's nothing around that's going to harm me."

Lavender and Seamus exchanged a look.

"What's that for?" Hermione had noticed it.

"What's what for?" Lavender asked innocently.

"Why are you two looking at each other like that?" Hermione asked suspiciously.

Lavender looked helplessly at Seamus for help. "Lavender and I made a silly bet is all, Hermione," he finally said, spouting out the first thing that came to mind.

"A silly bet?" Hermione asked, her eyes still narrowed.

"Aye," Seamus said, nodding. "Lavender thought Harry was a fool to worry about you while he was away and I thought he had a right to be worried so we made a bet as to whether or not you would get scared being on your own."

Hermione stared at them. "Why would Harry worry about me when he was away?"

"You remember how you heard those noises outside your cottage a few weeks back?" Seamus asked. "And that time we thought we saw someone lurking about outside? You never figured out where that was coming from, did you? I imagine Harry was worried about leaving you alone..." Seamus said a silent prayer that Hermione would buy what he was saying.

"Oh..." Hermione turned to look out the window. Lavender and Seamus shared another quick look, this time in relief. "Well I suppose you're right. I hadn't thought of that."

"Nothing like that has happened recently, has it?" Lavender asked. "No strange noises or people standing outside?"

"Not that I know of," Hermione said. "At least, I haven't heard anything in a few weeks now."

"That's good," Lavender said, and felt an overwhelming sense of relief when the waiter came to the table and took their orders. After he'd left, Lavender decided to broach the subject of staying with her cousin until Harry came back.

"Hermione?" Lavender asked, crossing her fingers under the table. "Would you mind if I stayed with you a few days?"

Hermione looked up, surprised. "I suppose that would be fine," she said. "Why do you want to stay with me? Are my parents going out of town or something?"

"No," Lavender said shaking her head. "But you know we never get to spend time together like we used to. We shared a room for how many years? And I just thought with Harry gone, you and I could catch up."

"Sure..." Hermione was still giving her a strange look. "That'd be nice Lav,"

"Great," Lavender said, smiling across the table at her cousin. "It'll be like old times."

"As long as you don't touch my hair," Hermione said.

"Need I remind you again who it was that did your hair the night of your big dance at that other resort and it was me who styled Cho's hair for her wedding," Lavender said airily.

Hermione simply shrugged and Seamus laughed at his girlfriend.

"But if it will make you feel more secure, I promise not to touch one hair on your head," Lavender said.

"Thank you," Hermione replied. "Merlin I hope our pizza comes soon. I'm starving!"

"Me, too," Lavender agreed.

"So how have your classes been going?" Seamus asked Hermione. "Lav says you're working on some big project?"

"Yes, Gordon and I partnered up together," Hermione said. "Counts for sixty percent of our grade this term."

"Gordon?" Seamus asked, nearly choking on his water.

"Yes," Hermione said as Lavender patted him hard on the back as he coughed. "What's so surprising about that?"

"Nothing, of course," Lavender answered for Seamus. "So I take it he's coming by and working on the project with you quite regularly, eh?"

"We've mostly been working at school this week," Hermione said. "But usually we work at home."

"Yours or his?" Lavender asked, trying to keep the surprised tone from her voice.

"At my place," Hermione looked at them both. "What's with the bloody third degree about Gordon? Has Harry been saying nasty things about him to either of you?"

"Yes," Lavender said, at the same time that Seamus said, "No, of course not."

Hermione sat back and crossed her arms over her chest. "Which one of you is going to fill me in?" she asked pointedly.

"Now don't get angry at Harry," Seamus began. "He was only trying to look out for you..."

"Tell me," Hermione said evenly.

Seamus frowned. He decided to tell her the truth, but he'd leave out what Luna had discovered about Gordon. "Harry asked Ron and I to check in on you while he was away," he said quietly. "He was worried about you being by yourself."

"And I told him many times that I was perfectly FINE by myself," Hermione bit back her angrier words.

"There's no need to get angry," Lavender said, watching helplessly as Hermione grabbed her cloak and bag. "Hermione! You can't leave!"

"Why not?" Hermione snapped. "Obviously none of you think I'm capable of taking care of myself if you're there checking up on me. And what was that bullshit you just gave me about wanting to catch up?" she glared at her cousin. "You just want to stay there because Harry wanted you to!"

"That's not true!" Lavender said quickly. "Hermione, he didn't ask me to stay. I wanted to. We're only looking out for you."

"I can take care of myself," Hermione said coldly.

"We know that," Seamus replied. "Harry knows that, Hermione. He just wanted us to keep an eye on you while you were gone...and I know I'm making this worse, but I...I have no bloody idea what to say!"

Lavender looked around as some of their fellow patrons were looking in their direction.

"He's treating me like a baby," Hermione was stubborn. "I already told him I hated that yet he goes behind my back and asks you all to look in on me as if I was Chiaki!"

"The two of you really need to talk," Lavender said. "I wish there was some way you could talk now and he could explain why...Hermione, he loves you. He just wants to keep you safe."

"I'm not in any bloody danger!" Hermione wanted to explode.

Lavender watched as Hermione slung her bag over her shoulder and nearly ran out of the restaurant. "We should go after her," Lavender said, looking to Seamus.

"Aye," Seamus reached into his pocket and tossed down some money as he and Lavender ran out after her.

"Hermione!" Lavender called out as they walked outside. "Hermione!"

"Leave me alone," Hermione walked faster, trying to lose her cousin and Seamus.

"Hermione, I know you're upset and you have every right to be..." Lavender said, jogging to catch up to Hermione.

"Damn right I do," Hermione didn't look at her.

"Harry knows you can take care of yourself," Seamus said, catching up to the girls. "He...he has a good reason for being concerned. He wouldn't have asked Ron and I to look out for you, if he wasn't."

"Isn't there some way you could talk to him now?" Lavender asked. "You both need to talk about this."

"No, there isn't a way," Hermione said shortly. "He's on a training mission, or didn't he tell you that? No- he was too busy trying to get me a baby sitter!"

Lavender was losing patience with Hermione by the moment. Everyone was looking out for her and she wasn't listening to reason. "Maybe because you're acting like a big baby!" Lavender heard herself exclaim. "I'm sorry, Hermione. But we're all just trying to look out for you. Pardon us for caring, but we don't want anything to happen to you!"

"Well why are you all looking out for me? Because you all think Gordon 'isn't right in the head' as Harry put it?" Hermione yelled back. "You all think he's going to do something to me is that it?"

Seamus stepped in between them. "Let's everyone calm down. Hermione, you need to talk to Harry. He should have told you about this before he left, but for some reason, he didn't. Don't get angry at Lavender. She had no idea that Harry had asked Ron and I to look in on you. Honestly."

Hermione looked at him a moment. "All right," she said in a normal tone of voice. "I'm sorry Lav."

"I'm sorry, too," Lavender said softly. "I hate when you and I fight."

Hermione shook her head. "You mean you don't like being at my throat all the time? Come on..." she smiled.

"I'm not at your throat...all the time," Lavender said, giving her cousin a hug.

Seamus smiled. "That's better now," he said.

"If you'd let me, I'd still like to stay with you," Lavender said. "I really did mean what I said about missing hanging out with you, Hermione."

"All right," Hermione said. "And I'm sorry for running out of there like that... it's not your fault Harry's asked you all to baby sit me."

"You're really going to let him have it when he gets home, aren't you?" Seamus asked, not envying his friend at all.

"Well he'll certainly know I don't appreciate this." Hermione frowned. "I mean... I DO appreciate the fact that he's concerned about me but not like this."

"Well, since there's nothing we can do about it now," Seamus said, linking arms with both girls. "How about we go and get a pizza and take it back to the cottage? We can watch a movie or something...and before you say one word Lavender...no, we don't have to watch Citizen Kane. We don't want you falling asleep on us, do we?"

"That sounds good to me," Hermione smiled at them.

*** *** ***

Neville walked with Harry down a Diagon Alley sidewalk. They'd just returned from their training session and both of them were tired, but very happy to be home.

"Are you really sure buying flowers is a good idea?" Neville asked, as they walked toward a florist. "I've always heard that when you buy a woman flowers for no particular reason, she's going to know you did something you feel you need to apologise for."

"Or it just shows her that you appreciate her," Harry said, stopping at a large flower laden cart. "It wouldn't hurt you to get some for Cho."

"We wouldn't want you showing me up or anything, would we?" Neville asked, looking at the variety of flowers before them. "You look a bit pale, Harry. Are you thinking of asking her tonight?"

"Maybe," Harry said thoughtfully, looking and passing over some roses. "I really want it to be the perfect moment."

"I can understand that," Neville said. "But you haven't spoken with her parents yet, have you?"

"No," Harry said. "Do you really think I should talk to them first? You all were just taking the mickey out of me the other day so I wasn't really listening."

Neville nodded. "I don't know Dr. Granger very well, of course, but I think he'd appreciate it if you asked him if you could propose. He seems to be the old-fashioned type."

"Yeah I guess you're right," Harry finally picked out a bouquet of daisies and several other flowers and gave the witch a Galleon for them.

"You want me to come back to the cottage with you?" Neville asked, as he picked out some red and pink carnations for Cho.

"No that's okay," Harry said. "I know you want to get home to the wife and baby."

"More than you know," Neville grinned. "Good luck, mate."

"Thanks I'll need it," Harry said. He waved goodbye to his friend and headed for Horizon Alley, smiling when he saw his cottage come into view. He let himself in, dropping his bag on the floor in the hallway. "Hermione?" he called.

Hermione came out of the bedroom carrying a laundry basket. She'd not expected him home so soon so she'd been doing some household chores before she returned to her studying. Slowly, she descended the staircase, wondering what she was going to say.

"Hey!" Harry's face lit up as he saw her.

"Hey," Hermione said coolly, dropping the basket to the floor. "You're early. I wasn't expecting you back until later."

"I know, we finished up just a few hours ago and Lupin arranged for earlier portkeys," Harry said. He stepped forward to embrace her and was surprised when she pulled away.

"You sure you don't want to go and pay Seamus and Ron for babysitting me?" she snapped. "They made sure I didn't get into any trouble or throw any wild parties while you were away."

Harry stared at her a moment. "Who told you that?" he finally asked.

"Seamus let it slip," Hermione answered. "But it doesn't matter who told me. It matters that even after you told me you knew I could take care of myself, you still went behind my back like that, Harry! I have one father already. I don't need another one."

"I know you don't," Harry said. "But I was worried all right? We have someone coming around our house late at night and peeking in the windows, and I was worried about you being here all alone!"

Hermione sighed. "I appreciate your concern, I really do. But, I'm quite capable of handling myself. You know I'm not some simpering fool."

"I know you're not," Harry said, dismayed that he'd been in the door for about a minute and they were fighting. "I'm sorry all right?" he reached out to caress her cheek.

"Stop it," she said, moving away from him. "That's not always going to solve our problems."

"I'm not saying it is!" Harry's voice rose and he unsuccessfully tried to push down his anger.

Hermione ran a hand through her hair. "I could understand if you had a good reason to be afraid for my safety, Harry, but you don't. Gordon is harmless. And whoever it was sneaking around outside our cottage, they've not been back in weeks. It was probably some of the neighbourhood children playing a prank..."

"I'm glad you find Gordon so harmless," Harry snapped. "If you knew what I knew-" he stopped short as he remembered an owl he'd gotten from Luna right before he had left. She had managed to get a few leads on Gordon's parents' whereabouts and would fill him in when he returned. He wanted to tell Hermione what he knew but he also wanted to wait until he had as much dirt as he could on the other bloke.

"What do you mean if I knew what you knew?" she asked hotly. When he didn't answer, she shook her head and laughed. "There you go again, keeping secrets from me. I guess not only do you decide whether or not I can be left alone, you also decide what I know and don't know."

"Hermione..." Harry started as she grabbed her basket and turned away. "Some homecoming this is," he muttered.

"What did you expect?" she asked, dropping the basket back down on the floor. "Me to fall at your feet thanking you for what you did?"

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!" Harry finally lost his temper. "Damn it, I guess because you think there's nothing wrong means that I shouldn't care if anything happens to you while I'm gone?"

"I NEVER SAID THAT!" she retorted. "I said I appreciated your concern, but there was nothing to be concerned about, Harry! And if there was, I guess I know now you'd never tell me. I'm too fragile to handle it!"

"I don't think that!" Harry snapped back. "You're just too damn stubborn to listen to reason!"

"Me? That's rich!" she said, walking out of the room and up the stairs toward the bedroom with Harry hot on her heels. She pushed open the bedroom door and walked inside.

"You are!" Harry said angrily. "You don't listen to anyone when you're in a strop. I was concerned and you pushed that away. So I asked my friends to look in on you! I don't see any harm in that!"

Hermione sank onto the bed and put her head in her hands.

"What?" Harry looked at her. "What could possibly have you so stressed out?"

She looked up at him, tears shining in her eyes. "I guess my schoolwork doesn't amount to too much in the eyes of some big-shot Auror. My finals are coming up and I've still got that project to finish and you and I are fighting all the time. I can't imagine why any of that would stress me out!"

Harry sighed. "Your schoolwork isn't any less important than my training all right? I never thought it was."

"I know," she said quietly. "I just..."

"Just what?" Harry asked.

"Just feel like we're falling apart and I can't do anything about it," she answered simply, wiping a tear from her cheek.

Harry felt a flutter of panic in his stomach. "We're not falling apart." he said, sitting next to her. "We're just... going through a rough patch."

"Is that really all it is?" she asked him.

"I think so," Harry said more calmly. "We haven't even been together a year and already we've had more to deal with than most couples aye?"

"We sure have," Hermione said softly. "I-I'm sorry for overreacting."

"No I'm sorry for not trusting you." Harry slid an arm around her and was relieved when she didn't pull away. "I know you can take care of yourself."

"Thank you," she said, hugging him tightly. "I did miss you, you know."

"Just a little bit?" Harry smiled as he kissed the side of her head.

"Maybe more than a little," Hermione said slyly. "Were those flowers downstairs for me?"

"No," Harry teased. "I bought them as a welcome home present for myself."

"You would," she said with a laugh.

"What does that mean?" Harry pretended to be affronted.

"Nothing," Hermione said, kissing him. "Nothing at all."

"That's more like it," Harry pressed his lips to hers again. "That's what I've been thinking of all week."

"Harry," she said as he lowered her back onto the bed. "I have housework to finish..."

"Leave it and I'll help you out later," Harry kissed the side of her neck.

"It seems to me you want to help me out now," she teased as he began to unbutton her shirt.

"Help you out of your clothes that is," Harry grinned at her.

She laughed. "It has been a week..."

"And that's seven days too long," He said, his voice muffled as he kissed over her skin.

"Way too long," Hermione agreed. She loved being with him like this again, but she wasn't about to fool herself into thinking that their problems were over. They still had so much to talk about, but it wasn't important now.

40. Chapter 40

Author’s note: Thanks for all the feedback, guys! We hope that you all had a Happy Christmas. Here is Chapter 40. To clear up some confusion---the reporter from the Daily Prophet—Andrew Murphy---didn’t die. Gordon used “obliviate” on him which erased Andrew’s memories…didn’t kill him. This is a long chapter and we hope you enjoy it. Only five more to go!

CHAPTER FORTY

Ron hated doing inventory- it was probably the only bad thing about the promotion his brothers had given him. It was a tie between that and scheduling his employees to run the shop. "Ow!" he frowned down at the puppy, who was sitting with his tail wagging. "Quit nipping at my leg, you!"

Luna looked up from her own research and smiled. "He's bored, Ron," she said, watching as Paddington nipped at Ron's leg and then ran toward the front door.

"Well so am I but I've got to get this done," Ron replied. "I just walked him a half hour ago so I know he doesn't need to do his business."

Luna giggled. "With the weather warming up like it has, he likes to be outside. Here, Paddy. Come here, boy." Paddington ran toward Luna who patted him lovingly. "That's my sweet Paddy," she said sweetly to him. "Ickle Ronniekins won't take you out, will he?"

"Make me look like the bad guy," Ron grumbled.

"As if I could," Luna said as Paddington ran back in Ron's direction. "I think he likes you more than me some days."

"Aren't I a lucky one?" Ron grinned as the dog's tail wagged more furiously. "All right you little shit..." he got up and went for the basket in the corner that housed most of Paddington's toys.

"Ronald!" Luna chastised. "Don't call him that!"

"What like he understands?" Ron grabbed a ball.

"He does," Luna said. "Dogs are quite intelligent creatures."

"Not this one," Ron snorted.

"I heard the same about you," Luna joked. "Didn't stop me from going out with you."

"Hey!" Ron tossed the ball across the living room and Paddington tore after it.

"Only teasing," Luna said quickly, giving him a reassuring smile. "How's the inventory coming along?"

"At a standstill for now," Ron rubbed the dog's ears as he brought the ball back over to him. "Good boy Paddy."

Luna sighed as she sat back in her chair. "It's amazing what you can find out about a person with a little research," she commented.

"What do you mean?" Ron asked, tossing the ball across the room again. "You still looking at stuff on Gordon for Harry?"

"Yes," Luna said. "That's pretty much all I've been doing since I've been back. And at first, I didn't think I'd find anything, but I've managed to dig up quite a bit."

"Like what?" Ron asked curiously.

"Well I told you about him being expelled from Beauxbatons, right?" she asked him. "Well, his parents...they've not been seen for quite some time. I may have a lead on them...but I'm still not sure."

"You think he did something to them?" Ron asked carefully.

"It seems so," Luna replied, shaking her head. There was a knock on the door and Luna watched as Paddington made a beeline for the door. "That should be Harry. I asked him to stop by."

"All right," Ron resumed his spot at the coffee table and began going over his inventory again.

"Come in!" Luna called out.

Harry pushed the door open and was almost bowled over by Paddington. "Hey there fellow," He laughed.

"Hey, Harry," Luna said, getting to her feet and walking over to him. "Paddy! Get down!"

Paddington turned to her, his tongue hanging out while his tail wagged incessantly. "It's a good thing he's cute," Harry smiled at her.

"Kind of how it works for Ron too."

"I HEARD THAT!" Ron retorted.

Harry and Luna laughed as she scooped up the dog. "It's true though," Harry said. "Paddington and Ron both hang around the kitchen for food..."

"He doesn't pee on the floor," Luna said seriously. "I did manage to housebreak him on that."

"HEY!" Ron said, turning around and shooting his best friend and his girlfriend warning looks.

"All right," Harry was still chuckling.

"Did you want anything to drink?" Luna asked. "Tea? Juice?"

"I'm good, thanks." Harry sat down on the sofa as Paddington climbed up next to him.

"How was New Zealand?" Luna asked.

"Really nice," Harry said. "We learned loads from that Spellbinder guy..." he reached down into his pocket. "Plus I managed to buy an engagement ring." he handed the box to Luna.

"Merlin's beard!" Ron said loudly when Luna opened the box. "How much did that cost?"

Luna swatted at Ron. "Wow, Harry," she said, looking down at the ring. "It's gorgeous!"

"I hope she likes it," Harry replied. "Now I just have to find the right time to ask her. Things... things have been a bit tense between us for the past few weeks."

"Oh, Harry," Luna said, handing him back the box. "Seamus told us that she found out about him and Ron looking in on her..."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I know... we had a rather nasty row about it when I walked in the door."

"Everything okay now?" Luna asked.

"All right," Harry shrugged. "Gordon the jackass has been around and has been rather insufferable."

"I thought she said she wouldn't have him round anymore," Ron said.

"They're working on some sort of project and for some stupid reason he says they can't work at his place." Harry said. "Last night was the first time he'd been over all week, or so Hermione told me. She said they'd been working at their University library."

"How long was he there?" Luna asked. "And what did you do all night while he was?"

"Stuck around in the kitchen," Harry replied. "I'm not letting him alone with her if I can help it." Ron nodded in agreement.

"From what I've found out about him, I don't blame you for feeling that way," Luna said.

"You mean you've found out even more," Harry said.

She nodded and went to the table to retrieve a few pieces of paper and some photographs. "I managed to find some more photos of Andrew Murphy with Gordon," she said as she handed Harry a few pictures.

"Looks like they were pretty good friends," Harry said. "Although I don't understand why anyone would want to be friends with him."

"He was Gordon's only friend at Durmstrang from what I gather," Luna commented. "They sort of used each other for their own benefit."

"Oh really?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Luna said, handing him a few more pictures. "There were some suspicions about Gordon cheating on exams and Andrew may have been an accomplice."

"So he's really not as smart as he claims to be," Harry nodded.

"Doesn't seem that way," Luna said. "But that's not even the real reason I asked you to come over today. I managed to pick up a lead on his parents."

Harry's eyes widened and Ron finally abandoned his inventory and sat on the sofa so he could take a look as well.

"There's a hospital in the south of France," Luna began. "It's sort of like St. Mungo's, but it specializes mostly in psychological maladies. A couple of years ago, a couple were checked into the hospital under the names of Joseph and Martha Devon. According to the hospital administrator, the son hasn't been back to visit his parents since he checked them in."

Harry's eyebrows were raised so high his scar was almost invisible. "You think..."

"According to the administrator, they can't speak or communicate in any way," Luna continued, feeling the hairs on the back of her neck stand up just as she explained it. "The medical staff there has no idea what sort of spell or charm caused this, but they figure it was some sort of memory altercation that went horribly wrong."

Ron shook his head. "Are you sure they're his parents?"

"They match the description," Luna said. "And I've not managed to verify with anyone the whereabouts of his parents under their actual names. I asked the administrator if he'd forward some photographs to me, but he can't under the confidentiality laws. Harry, maybe someone at the Ministry could help..."

"Yeah, I'll ask Lupin if there's a way we can get them." Harry replied. "That's so..."

"Freaky?" Ron suggested. "Demented? Scary? Strange?"

"All of the above," Harry said grimly.

"Where's Hermione now?" Ron asked, looking at his friend. "She's not with him, is she?"

"No," Harry replied. "She's at home."

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked him in disbelief. "I can't believe you let her out of your sight!"

Harry gave him a look. "I'm trying not to treat her like a three year old all right? She was plenty pissed with me for making you and Seamus check in on her while I was gone."

"And Gordon has no idea we're checking up on him," Luna pointed out. "As far as he knows, no one is any wiser to what he's done."

"That's good." Harry said. "Keep it that way- I worry now that we know what he's capable of." he sighed. "I wish we could prove that he was the one who did something to that Andrew Murphy."

"We will," Luna said firmly. She could tell Harry was still trying to process what she just told him. Hoping to lighten the mood, she decided to ask him about the proposal. "So, when are you going to ask her the big question?" she asked.

"I don't know yet," Harry said. "I'm still working up the nerve to go talk to her father."

"If he agreed to let you live together, I can't imagine he'd have too much trouble agreeing to the marriage," Luna said reassuringly. "You're getting along quite well now, right?"

"Yeah," Harry rubbed his neck. "Especially after he and I gave Hermione and Elinore cookbooks for Christmas. Plus I let him take the mickey out of me about golfing whenever he wants."

"And he hasn't collapsed from a heart attack since he knows you shag his daughter on a regular basis," Ron said, picking up his inventory sheets again.

"No thanks to you," Harry frowned at him.

"Don't drag me into this," Ron said cheekily. "I wasn't there when you were pawing her on the sofa and her mum and dad dropped by unexpectedly, was I?"

"Yeah but need I remind you back last year when you had to shout out to the neighbourhood about her and I shagging?" Harry asked pointedly.

"I didn't know he was going to be standing there when I did it!" Ron exclaimed defensively. "Besides, he'd be a fool to think you didn't..."

"Right," Harry rolled his eyes. "Well I'd better get back. Thanks so much for all that you've done Luna." He pecked her on the cheek.

"Give Hermione our love," Luna said, holding Paddington back so Harry could leave.

"I will," Harry replied. "Don't let Ron pee on the floor."

"What's Dr. Granger's telephone number?" Ron asked. "I think I may need to educate him some more about what his daughter does with the Rabbit King."

"You wouldn't be able to call- you don't even know how to use a phone Ron." Harry shot back.

Ron frowned. He'd forgotten about that. "Well, I could go into his office for a nice little chat."

"On what, the Aboveground?" Harry enjoyed teasing his friend about his limited knowledge of all things Muggle.

"Easy boys," Luna said, laughing. "You're not setting a good example for Paddy."

"Luna seems to think he understands what we talk about," Ron rolled his eyes.

"He does!" Luna said. "He comes when you call his name, doesn't he?"

"So do you," Ron said.

"Ronald!" Luna said picking up one of Paddington's dog toys and throwing it at him.

"I think that's my cue to leave," Harry said.

"Take Ron with you, please." Luna called out to him.

"Down boy," Harry said to Ron. "My kitchen is never the same after you leave."

Luna walked Harry to the door. "You should go and talk to her dad, Harry. I'm sure it won't be that bad."

"I will," Harry said. "I'm probably making it out to be worse than it would be."

"He's going to be your father-in-law," Luna teased.

Harry laughed. "You're right..."

"And you make his daughter happy," Luna said, patting his arm. "He knows that."

“Aye," Harry gave her a hug. "Thanks Loony. It's amazing how you can put things in perspective."

"It's a gift," she said modestly. "Take care, Harry."

"See you later," Harry replied.

*** *** ***

Hermione picked out a few CD's from their collection and put them in the player, turning the music so it played softly. She still knew that she and Harry had a lot to talk about but she also wanted to give him a peace offering- to show Harry that she was still completely head over heels in love with him and she wanted everything to be okay.

She paused by the mirror to look at herself. Hermione was scantily clad in a lacy piece of lingerie, and had curled her hair so it hung richly over her shoulders and down her back. "Lavender couldn't have done much better," she said, pleased with her reflection.

Gordon had tried the doorbell, but no one came to the door. He could hear the faint sound of music playing so he knew someone was home. To his surprise, the door was unlocked and he turned the knob and walked inside.

"Hermione?" he called out uncertainly. "Hermione?"

Hermione smiled as she heard someone calling her in the hallway. She thought it was Harry so she skipped out, knowing her appearance would drive him straight up the wall. "You're home early," she purred and stopped short when she saw Gordon in the hall instead of her boyfriend.

"Hermione," Gordon whispered, staring at her.

"Oh Merlin!" Hermione jumped out of the way. "What are you doing here?" she peeked around the corner, her face going red.

"I-I was coming by to see if you'd fancy a cappuccino," he said trying to sound calm, but he was anything but calm. She was dressed like a tart. This wasn't her, he thought angrily. This wasn't who she really was. "I-I tried the doorbell, but no one answered."

"Sorry, I have some music on and I didn't hear the bell," she replied. "Um... could you... um turn your back or something so I can get a robe?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, of course," he said turning around. "I'm awfully sorry, Hermione. I, uh take it you and Harry have big plans then?"

"Well yes..." Hermione dashed past him to the closet and pulled the first robe she could find off a hanger, which was Harry's. She wrapped it around her tightly. "Soon as he gets home..." she cleared her throat.

"Can I turn around now?" he asked. "I should probably just go..."

"No it's okay," Hermione replied, still holding the robe tight. "Sorry... I should have made sure the door was locked."

"So what's the special occasion?" he asked conversationally, but inside he was seething.

"Nothing special... just trying to surprise Harry is all." Hermione said.

The fact that she had to dress up like a tart to do so made Gordon's blood boil. "I should really go. I'm sure he doesn't want to come home and find me here with you."

"I'll see you tomorrow in class," Hermione was relieved to see him leave. She was horribly embarrassed about jumping out like that dressed in so little.

"Have a good evening, Hermione," Gordon said as he walked toward the door. "And I am truly sorry..."

"It's all right," Hermione said, still red faced.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said, giving her a slight smile as he walked out onto the porch. The door closed firmly behind him and he stood there for a few moments feeling angrier and angrier as the image of a scantily-clad Hermione passed over and over in his mind.

Hermione kept the robe wrapped around herself after she saw Gordon walk away down the street. She cursed herself for being so flippant about leaving the door open. And she also didn't understand why the image of him looking at her in the lingerie had embedded itself so deeply into her mind.

Harry fumbled in his trousers pocket for his keys. After leaving Ron and Luna's, he'd taken Luna's advice to go and talk to her dad, but he'd been called in for emergency surgery and Harry had finally given up and decided to go home. He finally found his keys and unlocked the door.

"Hermione?" he called out. "Sweetheart?"

Hermione jumped, she hadn't realised how much time had passed. She still had the robe wrapped tightly around her and saw with relief that Harry had finally come home.

Harry looked around at the living room which was lit with candles. "Hermione...," he said, a grin breaking out on his face.

"Welcome home," Hermione dropped the robe and allowed him to look at her wrapped so snugly in the lacy lingerie.

"Uh-um," he said, searching for the right words, but finding he couldn't string anything coherently together. "Oh...my...wow."

"Do you like what you see?" Hermione teased, forcing the thoughts of Gordon from her head and instead focusing on the love of her life standing in front of her.

"I love what I see," he said, fixing his eyes on hers. "What did I do to deserve all this?"

Hermione smiled at him. "Nothing in particular," she said softly.

"You look amazing," he whispered. "You...you are amazing."

"So are you," Hermione slid up to him, moving her hands over his chest and unclasping his cloak.

"You're shivering," he said, as he ran his hand over her shoulder and down her arm. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "Just waiting for you to come home,"

"So I take it this means you won't be studying tonight?" he asked hopefully.

"The only thing I plan on studying is you, Harry Potter," Hermione said, her tone playful.

He pulled her closer and kissed her softly. "Hermione..."

"Yes?" she asked breathlessly.

"I love you," he whispered, before dipping his head to plant kisses on her shoulder.

"I love you too," she whispered back. "So much..." she wrapped her arms around his shoulders.”I just want us to be close again Harry."

"We are close," he said, resting his forehead on hers. "I've been such an idiot..."

"Yes you have," Hermione giggled softly. "But we've both been to blame... we haven't... really communicated well." she wove their fingers together. "But we don't have to let that break us apart."

"Nothing is going to break us apart," he promised her. "Nothing."

"Nothing," Hermione echoed.

He kissed her again happy that for one night anyway Gordon Devereaux wasn't going to be an issue. And if Harry had any say in it at all, Gordon Devereaux would never be an issue again.

*** *** ***

"Cho?" Neville called out to his wife from the nursery. "We're out of nappies! Did you get any more on your way home?" He smiled down at his daughter who was cooing up at him from the changing table. He was trying to get Chiaki changed and dressed since they were having Harry and Hermione over for dinner.

"Yes they're in the hall closet," Cho called back. "I didn't get a chance to put them in the nursery!"

"Can you bring them to me?" he asked her.

"Just a second..." Cho replied. "Is this sauce supposed to be black?"

Neville frowned. "No," he called back to her. "It's supposed to be red. What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything I just stirred it like you told me to do!" Cho said.

"Lesson for the day, Chiaki," Neville said grinning down at the baby. "Never leave Mummy alone in the kitchen."

"Hey I heard that," Cho said, coming into the room.

Neville turned around and looked at his wife. She was dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a red jumper.

"Don't you look nice!" he said, giving her a whistle.

"I don't look like anything special," her face turned pink as she ripped into the package of nappies.

"Yes you do," he said grinning at her. "You always look beautiful to me."

"Thanks," Cho gave him a nappy and stored the rest under the changing table. "I think you lie but you're sweet."

He laughed as he quickly changed Chiaki's diaper. As Cho watched him, he could tell she kept looking down at her watch. "You sure are anxious for them to get here," he commented as he dressed Chiaki.

"Well why wouldn't I be excited for our friends to come over?" Cho asked quickly.

Neville wondered for a moment if perhaps Cho knew Harry's intentions to propose to Hermione, but he knew that none of their friends would be so stupid as to tell the blabbermouth of the group the big secret.

"No reason," he said, gingerly handing Chiaki to Cho. "I better go salvage what damage you did in the kitchen."

"Hey it's only the sauce," Cho retorted, kissing her daughter's head. "Besides if you were that worried then you should have stayed in here while I changed the baby."

Neville laughed and went into the kitchen and to his relief the sauce was salvageable. He could hear Cho humming a tune to Chiaki from the living room. The doorbell chimed and Neville who had been about to answer the door, was nearly pushed to the ground by Cho who practically sprinted to the door.

"What the-," Neville said taken aback.

"Hi Harry! Hi Hermione!" Cho bubbled. "What's new with you?" she couldn't stop the large smile from breaking out over her face as she waited to hear about her best friend's engagement.

Hermione found herself engulfed in a huge bear hug from Cho. "It's nice to see you, too, Cho," Hermione said, giving Harry a confused look over Cho's shoulder.

Harry was giving Neville an odd look who shrugged. "We're fine Cho... nothing new." he kissed her cheek as she hugged him as well.

Cho looked expectantly at Hermione. When Hermione didn't say anything, Cho figured she didn't want to make a show of the engagement.

"Hermione," Cho said, taking Hermione's hand. "Have you had your nails done recently?"

"No..." Hermione gave her a strange look. "Cho are you all right?"

"Yes," she said, smiling at Hermione. "Perfectly fine. How are you? I bet you're on Cloud..."

Harry was giving a rather murderous look to both her and Neville. "What's on the menu tonight?" he interrupted.

"I-I don't understand," Cho said, her smile faltering. "I thought---"

"Thought what?" Hermione looked around at all of them in confusion.

Neville couldn't believe it. Cho obviously knew and if he didn't shut her up fast, she was going to spill the beans. Either that, or Harry was going to murder her.

"Thought that you'd be late," Neville said quickly. "We thought you'd be doing your rabbit thing and lose all track of time."

"Rabbit mating was taken care of earlier today," Harry gave Hermione a chaste pinch on her rear.

Neville rolled his eyes. "Hermione, why don't you come with me and see Chiaki? She's wearing that outfit you gave her," Neville said.

"Oh great," Hermione smiled. "I can't wait to see her in it!"

Neville led Hermione toward the nursery and hoped that Harry wouldn't be too hard on his wife.

Harry watched them go and then looked at Cho, who backtracked towards the kitchen. "Not so fast," he said. "Who told you?"

"Told me what?" she asked, looking down at the carpet. "Are you thirsty?"

"No," he snapped. "Who the hell told you I was planning on proposing?"

"The better question would be why you didn't tell me yourself," Cho said defensively. "I'm supposed to be your best friend and I have to find out from...Um, actually no one told me. I sort of figured it out all on my own."

"Bullshit," Harry said darkly. "I knew you'd blab to Hermione and that little show you just put on was--"

"Incredibly stupid of me," Cho finished for him. "I'm sorry. I just thought you were going to do it straightaway. Why haven't you done it yet?"

"I'm waiting to talk to her father and I want it to be the perfect moment," Harry relaxed.

"You've been back from New Zealand for nearly a week," Cho asked. "You're not still scared of her dad, are you?"

"No," Harry said emphatically. "He's just been busy and so have I. I went over to talk to him and he got called away on emergency soon as I walked in the door. Then I went over again and he was in a rotten mood according to Elinore, so I didn't even try it."

Cho smiled. "Maybe he senses what you're about to do," she teased.

"Not funny," Harry followed her in the kitchen. "What was burning? Did Neville let you cook?"

"No," she said shaking her head. "He let me stir and I may not have done such a great job of it, but it looks like he was able to fix whatever it was I did." She poured herself and Harry a glass of Merlot. "I can't believe you're actually going to do it...get married."

"I know," Harry replied. "Sometimes if I stop and think about it I can't believe it either." he said quietly.

Cho smiled and leaned back against the counter. "She's good for you, you know that? Almost too good for you..."

"Tell me something I don't know," Harry replied, sipping his wine.

"Is Gordon still coming around?" she asked lowering her voice in case Hermione and Neville came back.

"Of course he is," Harry rolled his eyes. "Luna's still checking up on a lead she got on his parents... I'm still trying to even just broach the damn subject with Hermione. We agreed to talk about him when I got back but she found out about me asking Ron and Seamus to check up on her and we fought about that..." he sighed. "So I don't know, I guess I'm just waiting to have all the information on him and then I'll give it to her."

"So she won't be able to just dismiss what you have to say?" Cho guessed.

"Exactly," Harry sat back up straight as he heard his girlfriend and Neville coming into the room.

"Doesn't she look adorable?" Hermione was gushing. She was holding Chiaki close to her.

"That she does," Cho said beaming at her daughter. "That colour suits her."

"Let me see her," Harry said as Neville took over his duties at the stove and Cho poured Hermione some wine. "She's getting bigger every day," he complained. "Soon enough she'll be ready for Hogwarts."

"Hush!" Cho said. "That's not for another 10 years, thank you very much."

"Unless she's a Squib of course," Harry grinned wickedly at Cho and she knew that was a comment to repay her for almost spilling the beans earlier.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, glaring at him.

"What?" Harry pulled an innocent face.

"He can't help being an egomaniacal prat with no tact," Cho said sweetly, sticking her tongue out at Harry.

"That's real mature," Neville said laughing.

Harry shook his head as Hermione took the baby away from him. "We don't want her inheriting any of that from her godfather."

"Ron's the one you have to watch out for," Harry said. "He's the one who'll be the bad influence."

"And how do you figure that?" Cho asked dryly.

"He was the one who was always getting me into trouble at school," Harry said simply. "I would have been a straight-arrow like Hermione if he'd not led me down the path of rule-breaking..."

Cho and Neville both snorted back their laughter. "Right Harry," Cho laughed. "I'm sure everyone will believe THAT!"

Harry pouted and Neville grinned. "Alright, abuse on Harry can come to a stop now. I just need to put Chiaki down and then we should be ready to eat."

"I'll help you," Harry said, taking the baby back from Hermione.

Hermione watched the two men walk out of the room as she picked up her glass of wine.

"Just so you know, I didn't tell Cho about you proposing," Neville whispered hastily as soon as they got into the nursery.

"I know," Harry said softly. "I think it was probably Luna."

"How do you figure?" Neville asked as Harry carefully laid Chiaki in her crib.

"Process of elimination," Harry replied. "Seamus wouldn't have told her. I know he hasn't told Lavender because if he had, you and I both know she'd be on top of me every second giving me tips about how to propose. It was either Ron or Luna and if I had to guess, I'd bet it was Luna."

"Good guessing," Neville said. "Are you going to say anything to her?"

"She's done so much for me with looking into Gordon for me, I think I'll let this slide," Harry said, as he turned on the musical mobile that hung just above Chiaki's crib. "She probably just let it slip and Cho pounced on her."

"Cho has a way of doing that doesn't she?" Neville asked.

"Give her an inch and she'll take a mile," Harry said with a laugh.

"Right," Neville said as they left the room. "Well maybe we shouldn't leave her alone with Hermione..."

"Good idea," Harry said, with a grin. "So, Longbottom. What are you feeding us?"

"Spaghetti," Neville answered. "I've no idea how the sauce is going to taste."

"It tastes really well," Hermione answered brightly. "Sorry...we both had a spoonful while you were gone."

"You mean Cho didn't ruin it again?" Harry asked.

"You watch it, Potter, or you'll be wearing the sauce," Cho said with a warning look.

"Ooh, insults," Harry sat next to his girlfriend.

"Hermione, are you so sure you want to m-," Cho began, but cupped her hand over her mouth as she suddenly realised what she was about to say.

"Am I sure I want to what?" Hermione asked.

"Uh," Cho said helplessly. "Are you, um, so sure you want to make a toast?"

"I was going to make a toast?" Hermione asked. "I didn't know we needed to make one," she smiled.

"Of course we do," Neville said quickly. "Training is going well for Harry and me. Cho's school is really taking off and you're nearly finished with your first year at University. We've got loads to celebrate!"

"Right on there," Harry said, sending another look Cho's way.

"Okay," Hermione said, still feeling like she was missing something. She raised her glass. "Here's to good friends, good food and good times." She frowned. "Oh, Merlin! That was pretty lame, wasn't it?"

"Yes love, it was," Harry snickered. "But I still love you anyway."

"I'm sorry," she said sheepishly. "I don't have that much experience giving toasts!'"

"That's all right," Neville said, dishing out the spaghetti.

"Harry?" Hermione asked as she took her plate from Neville. "My mum said you stopped by the house today. You didn't tell me you were going over there."

"Aye..." Harry said, suddenly interested in his dinner as he frantically tried to think of an excuse. "I uh... wanted to get your father interested in a game of golf now that the weather is warming up. Wanted to tell him I read that book he gave me."

Hermione smiled. "He'd love that. Mum had me worried. She said you looked nervous about something."

"What would I have to be nervous about?" Harry let out a chuckle.

Cho opened her mouth to respond, but she felt someone kick her leg hard under the table. "Ouch!"

"What?" Hermione looked at her in alarm. "What happened?"

"Leg cramp," Cho lied, reaching down and rubbing her leg. She glared at her husband.

Neville smiled innocently back at her. "I didn't know you were so eager to go make a fool of yourself on the golf course again," he said to Harry shifting the focus off his wife.

"Hey! I'm improving," Harry said. "Let's get you out there and see how well you do, Nev."

"No thanks," Neville grinned. "I'll just leave it to you Potter."

"I think we should get Seamus to join you," Hermione said, as Cho handed her the basket of bread. "He always seems to get out of it somehow."

"Aye he does," Harry nodded. "I'll tell your father. Seamus won't refuse if he asks."

"You know the way you and Seamus act, you'd think my dad was some big scary monster," Hermione said. "He's really a big old teddy bear when you get to know him."

"Hey you don't see me complaining," Harry replied. "Things between your dad and me couldn't get better. Seamus is just worried about impressing him so that he'll think he's good enough for Lavender. I already know he thinks I'm good enough for you." he grinned at her.

"Do you now?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"Otherwise he'd still despise the sight of me," Harry said.

"Well for what its worth I think your dad is fantastic," Cho put in. "He did so much for me last summer."

"For that we're all grateful," Neville said inching his chair closer to his wife.

Hermione nodded. "I hated lying to him. But, he really gave me no other choice."

"It all turned out well and good," Harry said. "Obviously I wouldn't be here today if he still hated me," he grinned. "I'd be six feet under."

"You're just exaggerating," Hermione said, shaking her head. "He wouldn't have killed you, Harry."

"Nah, just maybe strung you up and paid someone to hex you," Neville joked.

"He did ask Lavender if she knew any hexes around that time," Hermione said seriously.

"What?" Harry whipped his head around to look at her.

"Oh, you know nothing serious," Hermione said, trying not to laugh at the look on Harry's face. "He even asked about castration..."

Harry paled. "Please tell me you're joking." Neville also looked nervous at the turn this conversation was taking.

Hermione dissolved into giggles. "Harry! Of course, I was kidding!"

"You're going to pay for that," Harry said, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly. "If you could have seen the look on your face!"

"It was rather funny," Cho said.

"I'm inclined to agree," Neville said, chuckling.

"Thanks a lot Neville, and if I'm not wrong you looked a little scared there as well." Harry shot back.

"Oh, I was," Neville said slyly. "But now that I know it was only a joke, I can appreciate the humour of the situation."

"You're all wankers," Harry announced.

Hermione looked at Harry and she could tell that she'd touched a nerve. He obviously wanted her dad to like him, but there was something else. When Cho and Neville got up to get dessert and coffee, Hermione looked at him. "Hey, I was only joking before, Harry. Really. I swear my dad never spoke to Lavender about hexes or castration. Honestly."

"I know," Harry replied.

"You just seemed to take it a bit to heart," she said, putting her hand on his knee.

"I guess... I still worry that something might happen where your dad won't like me." Harry said. "I can see that he does... but I guess I'll never stop worrying. You're his little girl and I want to make sure he knows I love you more than anything in the world."

Hermione leaned in and kissed him softly. "He knows."

"And as long as you know..." Harry kissed her again.

"I do," she said softly.

Harry smiled as he thought about her words in context of what he wanted to do. He carried the ring with him at all times and now he fingered the box in his pocket.

"What are you thinking about?" Hermione asked.

"You," Harry said, which was mostly true.

"Me?" she asked coyly.

"You're always on my mind somehow," Harry replied, sliding an arm around her.

She rested her head on his shoulder. "How do you do that?" she asked. "How do you make me feel so safe and warm?"

"Do I make you feel that way?" Harry asked softly. "I don't do it on purpose. I just tell you how I feel."

"You do," she whispered. "And you show me..."

"How do I show you?" Harry asked, hoping Cho and Neville would stay in the kitchen.

Hermione grinned mischievously at him. "You know how you'll kiss my neck in that one spot?"

"Like this?" Harry pressed his lips gently to her skin.

"Mmm," she murmured. "And when you nibble on my ear..."

"Like this?" Harry did as she said.

Hermione closed her eyes. "That...that'll do."

“For now," Harry said huskily.

He kissed her neck again and Hermione felt herself slowly beginning to lose control. "Harry, they're going to come back in here soon..."

"Right," Harry straightened back up but didn't remove his arm from her shoulder. "We'll pick this up later..." he could see the yearning in her eyes and was hard pressed to keep from pulling the ring out of his pocket right then and there.

"Okay," Neville said, coming back into the room, followed by Cho. "Sorry that took so long...we um, sort of got distracted."

"That's quite all right," Harry grinned at him.

"Somehow I knew you'd understand," Neville said as Cho blushed.

*** *** ***

Harry managed to pull Hermione's shirt off, only separating their mouths for a split second. His hands ran repeatedly through her hair, letting the strands slip through his fingers as she clutched his shoulders hungrily.

Hermione moaned into his mouth as he pressed against her. "Harry," she whispered, not even remembering how they'd gotten home. From the moment they'd left Cho and Neville's, they'd been all over each other.

"I can't wait until we're upstairs," he groaned as she began to move on top of him. "I need you so bad..."

Hermione quickly unhooked his belt and had just put her hand on the zipper when the doorbell chimed. "Ignore it," she said before leaning down and kissing him.

"It's ignored," Harry let out a strangled moan as she worked her hand into his trousers.

The doorbell chimed again. "Harry? Hermione? If you're home, please answer the door!"

"Is that Luna?" Harry muttered.

Hermione nodded. "I think so. Damn...we were just getting to the good stuff."

"Isn't that always the case?" Harry grumbled. "Now I know why Ron was so pissed off back at Hillsdale."

Hermione reluctantly got off of Harry and fumbled in the dark for her shirt.

"I'll get it," Harry zipped his trousers back up and pulled his shirt on haphazardly.

"Hey," Luna said apologetically when Harry opened the door. His hair was more messed up than usual and Luna knew she'd interrupted something. "I'm sorry to call so late, but I had some news..."

"What's up?" Harry asked. "Did you find out about--?"

"Hey, Luna," Hermione said coming up behind Harry. "Is everything okay?"

"Um, not exactly," Luna said giving her friend a weak smile. "I was wondering if I could have a word with Harry? Alone..."

"Oh sure..." she said. "I'll just... be upstairs."

"Thanks," Luna said. Harry waited a few moments before closing the door behind him and standing on the porch with Luna.

"I'm really sorry for coming by so late," she apologised again. "It's just something has happened that I thought you should know."

“What is it?" Harry asked, looking at her intently.

"Andrew Murphy," Luna said. "They found him."

41. Chapter 41

A/N: Wow you guys ;) what a great response on chapter 40! A lot of you were curious about Andrew, you’ll find out about him in this chapter.

Also… we really hope you won’t kill us, but it’s PART of a moment most of you have been waiting for. Can’t say anything more than that quite yet, but get ready for some fireworks!

Also, this chapter is dedicated to Jerry Orbach, who died on Tuesday, Dec 28th- he was the inspiration for Robert Granger and Baby’s father in the actual Dirty Dancing movie. RIP!

Hermione paced in front of the bed wondering what in the world could be happening downstairs. Luna looked very distraught and Hermione had been somewhat hurt that Luna asked to speak to Harry alone. Harry and Luna had been outside on the porch for nearly half an hour and Hermione had tried to distract herself by changing into her pyjamas and even reading, but she couldn't concentrate. She heard footsteps on the stairs and quickly dove back into bed.

"Sorry about that," Harry said brusquely, heading straight for the closet.

"It's okay," she said, watching as he breezed past her with not so much as a look. "Is everything okay?"

"Not really," Harry replied. "I have to go."

Hermione pulled the covers back and walked into the closet to see him pulling a sweatshirt on over his jeans. "Is something wrong with Ron?" she asked with a concerned expression on her face.

"No Ron's fine..." Harry hesitated a moment. "They found that reporter, the one that's been missing. And there's a call for Auror's to come down to the Ministry."

"But you're still in training," she said, confused.

"Remus was in the fireplace soon as Luna left," Harry explained. "He wants us trainees there to observe and for some input."

Hermione stared at him as he walked right past her carrying his shoes.

"You look really worried, though," she said quietly. "Did you know this reporter?"

"No..." Harry paused once again, wondering if he should tell her about her good friend Gordon.

She sat down beside him on the edge of the bed. "Harry...you're scaring me. What's really going on?"

Harry sighed. "It seems... your friend Gordon... no listen and don't stop me!" He held up his hand. "Your friend memory charmed this Andrew. I don't know where he's kept him or why he left him out in the middle of Diagon Alley wandering around talking nonsense, but Luna found out they were friends back at Durmstrang."

"Honestly, Harry," Hermione said with a dismissive laugh. "That sounds like something straight out of a comic book. That's crazy!"

"Does it?" Harry stood up. "Well as horrible as Andrew Murphy may have been as a reporter, he certainly didn't deserve to have his memories wiped."

"I never said he did," Hermione said calmly. "I'm just saying that you thinking Gordon had something to do with it is preposterous."

"Why is that?" Harry snapped. "And did you just completely ignore me saying that Luna dug up photos of them at Durmstrang together?"

Hermione couldn't believe he was on this again. "So they were friends at Durmstrang? What does that prove? Harry, Gordon would never do that to someone!"

"How do you know?" Harry asked. "Do you think Luna would have told me this if it weren’t true?" Hermione shook her head and he felt anger growing in him. "Well fine, let me fill you in on something else. Do you want to know the real reason Gordon Devereaux left Beauxbatons?"

"I know the real reason he left Beauxbatons," Hermione said pulling a face. "His father was transferred..."

"No," Harry said. "He was sneaking into a professor's office to get the answers for an exam. Pretty smart bloke my arse! And he got caught, by a girl a year younger. Her name was Claudette Jeune. Ring any bells? Did she appear beat up to you and disoriented because her fucking memories were wiped?"

Hermione shook her head. "Harry, Gordon would never have cheated on an exam! He had top marks...and this Claudette Jeune...there were rumours that she had some sort of breakdown."

"Damn it Hermione!" Harry slapped his hand down on the dresser, making her jump. "Why are you making excuses for him?"

Hermione stared at him for a moment before answering. "Because he's my friend, Harry! And I know he'd never do something like that."

"Look," Harry said testily. "I don't know his true agenda, all right? But I don't trust him. I never have. And he's got a fancy for you and that worries me, especially now that I know of things he's done to other people."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Is that what this is about? Harry, for the umpteenth time...Gordon doesn't fancy me!"

"Oh really," Harry said. "Let's think about it here. He always interrupts us. He insinuates things to me about the two of you all the time. Why do you think I avoid being alone with him?"

Hermione folded her arms protectively across her chest. "The two of you don't get along very well, I get that, okay? Can you think for one second what position this puts me in? I can't have someone I consider a good friend in our home because I'm afraid it’s going to make you uncomfortable. How would you feel if I was testy and short with Cho when she came over here for a visit?"

"You were at one point," Harry replied shortly.

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" she exclaimed in frustration. "That was because I found out that the two of you slept together... a fact you chose to keep from me."

"We slept together a long time ago!" Harry shouted. "And I didn't purposely keep it from you! You found out on accident! I would have told you eventually once we were settled in!"

"Eventually?" Hermione said, shaking her head. "That's just like you, Harry. Tell me only what you think I need to know. You and I both know you'd never have told me!"

"I WOULD TOO HAVE TOLD YOU!" Harry was full blown shouting now but didn't care. "Why is this still an issue? And stop trying to turn this on me- this is about Gordon NOT ME!"

"No, this is about you," she said, getting up in his face. "You're blowing this way out of proportion based on what---a couple of photos?"

"I have photos. I also have articles." Harry stomped over to a drawer and began pulling the information out, throwing it towards the bed. "What would you like to see first Hermione?"

Hermione stared at the piles of papers and photos that spilled out of the folder. She looked at him in disbelief. "Y-you've been checking up on him?"

"Yeah, I have," Harry replied shortly.

"That's---," she said, searching for a word to describe what he'd done. How in the world could he have snuck around behind her back to dig up dirt on Gordon?

"That's what?" Harry asked.

"That's unbelievable," she whispered. She looked over at Harry as if seeing him for the first time. "I-I don't even know who you are anymore..."

"You've got to be kidding me," Harry said in disbelief. "You're angry with ME? LOOK AT THE DAMN ARTICLES!"

She stood stock still as he walked over to the bed and picked up the clippings folder and thrust it at her. "I don't need to look at them," she said quietly, trying to hold back the tears. Nearly an hour ago, they'd been so happy and now they were at each other's throats.

"Why's that Hermione?" Harry asked angrily. "Afraid that I'm right and you're wrong?"

She glared at him. "No," she said, shaking her head. "He's my friend, Harry. I know he wouldn't do this."

"HE DID!" Harry roared. "You know what? Not only did he memory charm Claudette and Andrew, he did it to his bloody PARENTS AS WELL! What do you think of your friend now Hermione? Wonder why his parents have ignored him for the past few years? Because they DON'T KNOW HIM!"

An image of Gordon nearly kissing her and then the look on his face when he'd walked in on her a few short nights ago passed through Hermione's mind. But, he'd explained those things away. Hermione knew that Gordon probably had a very good explanation for these things, too. Harry was just trying to find something bad, but she couldn't understand why. He should never be jealous of Gordon. Gordon didn't see her as anything but a friend. She sank down onto the bed and looked down at the carpet.

"Why don't you see?" Harry asked, his tone quieter and with a tone of desperation.

"Why don't you?" she asked, looking up at him. "Harry, please. Drop this."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Not now."

"Why?" she asked, as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Because I'm scared of what will happen to you if he keeps up with this!" Harry wanted to shake her. "He's crazy damn it!"

"Harry, Gordon would never hurt me," she said, pleading with him to believe her. "Can't you just trust my judgment on this?"

"No!" Harry threw the folder down onto the bed. "Why do you think I'd LIE about this??”

She put a hand on his arm. "I don't think you're lying, Harry. I just think you're trying really hard to find something that isn't there."

Harry shrugged her off. "You're blind," he said, shaking his head. "You can't see what he's up to. GORDON was the one responsible for those articles about us in the Daily Prophet! He told this Andrew bloke what to write about so he could try and break us up!"

Hermione sighed. "What? Harry---what on earth would he possibly have to gain by doing that? He was really supportive of me throughout that whole ordeal..."

Harry made a frustrated noise. "It's a fucking act Hermione! Get that through your head!"

Hermione shook her head, feeling the anger surge in her again. "Here we go again! You're doing it again! Treating me like a child! Telling me what to think, telling me how to act, and telling me who my friends should be. I actually believed you when you said you weren't going to do that again." She pushed past him and grabbed a pillow and the duvet cover. "I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight!"

"Fine, go sleep on the fucking sofa," Harry snapped. "Why should I even bother to stick around?" he asked, following her down the stairs. "Obviously I'm the bad guy here! I'm making you think what I want you to think. Yet Gordon can beat people up and memory charm them, I've got the FUCKING PROOF sitting right in front of you yet he's still your FRIEND!"

Hermione tried to tune him out as she quickly walked down the stairs. Angrily, she threw the pillow and covers down on the sofa.

"I don't understand." Harry said flatly, staring at her. "Why would you not even bother to hear what I have to say?"

"Maybe because you won't do the same for me," she snapped.

"I would TOO listen to you if you had something to say!" Harry felt his temper rise again.

"No, you haven't!" she shot back. "You haven't listened to a word I've said! You insist on treating me like a two-year old!"

"WELL I'M SORRY THAT I WORRY!" Harry roared.

"WELL I'M SORRY THAT YOU DON"T TRUST ME!" she yelled back. Harry looked like he wanted to say something else to her, but he just shook his head and made his way toward the door. "Where are you going?" she asked, following him.

"I'm leaving," he said coldly. "You obviously don't want someone here that you don't trust."

"Harry-," she said, watching as he grabbed his cloak.

"What?" He turned around sharply.

"Are...are you coming back?" she asked steadily.

"I don't know," Harry yanked the front door open. “Don’t really know why I should bother anymore.”

Hermione hadn't expected him to say that. Sure, they were angry with each other, but this couldn't be the end. They'd gone through hell and back to be together, but he was willing to walk away over one horrible row, she thought miserably. "Don't go...," she heard herself say. He stood there for a few moments with his back to her before walking out and closing the door behind him.

*** *** ***

Luna readied her quill over some blank sheets of parchment, ready to find out whatever she could on Andrew Murphy. She was sitting down as she saw Harry come into the room; she wondered why he was so late and why he looked so stressed out.

Remus Lupin came out of the holding room they were keeping Andrew in and shook his head as he locked eyes with Harry.

"How is he?" Harry asked without even so much as a hello to Luna or anyone else.

Lupin sighed. "Babbling nonsense I'm afraid." he crossed his arms and pushed Harry towards the back of the room where several other trainees were standing.

Neville looked up as he saw Harry approaching and gave his friend a look, but Harry just ignored him and focused his attention on Lupin who began to speak.

"The missing reporter Andrew Murphy from the Daily Prophet was discovered wandering around Diagon Alley just a short few hours ago," Lupin began. "We're here for a briefing to give a message to the press, and to assemble a team to try and find who's done this to him."

"Do you think dark forces were involved, sir?" Megan asked timidly.

"I do," Lupin said, nodding at her.

Hushed whispers buzzed around the room as the trainees speculated amongst each other what could possibly have happened.

"Do you have any leads?" Matthew Smith asked, glaring at Harry as he did so.

"At the moment we do not," Lupin answered, noticing that the press members there were scribbling furiously away.

Harry looked impatiently behind Lupin at the door to the room where Andrew Murphy was being held. He wanted so badly to just burst into the room and ask Andrew questions, but he knew the press would have a field day with that so he tried to remain patient and calm, but the fight with Hermione was playing over and over in his mind.

"Right then," Lupin said after the press had asked several questions. "I ask that you Aurors in training please wait in that room over there," he pointed to a door. "You will NOT be allowed to talk to Andrew Murphy I'm afraid--"

Harry looked at Lupin in disbelief. "What?" he asked.

Lupin held up a hand. "Professional Aurors only," he said in a tone that dictated no nonsense. "Press, if you choose you are to wait in that room," he pointed to another door. "Both rooms will allow you to see and hear what is going on with Andrew Murphy but he will not know you are there."

Harry managed to pull Lupin aside as the groups began to disband into different directions. "I'm not asking for preferential treatment or anything, but please...I need to talk to him."

"I'm sorry Harry," Lupin said. "I can't allow you in and none of the others. What do you have to ask him, perhaps I can bring it up."

Harry gave Lupin a brief rundown of what Luna had found out about the connection between Gordon and Andrew. "I need to know if Gordon Devereaux was responsible for this."

"Harry, he's been memory charmed," Lupin replied.

Harry groaned in frustration and angrily kicked the wall. Luckily, he and Lupin were the only two left in the room and the press hadn't caught his outburst.

"Harry," Lupin put a hand on his shoulder. "I doubt we'll be able to find out anything, so don't get your hopes up. We'll do what we can. We have specialists who are trained in memory retrieval so if all goes well he'll be able to tell us. But just him and this Gordon bloke being friends isn't going to convince anyone that he's guilty."

Logically, Harry knew Lupin was right. But, Harry didn't want to think logically at the moment. He didn't want to wait. He wanted answers and he wanted them now, before it was too late.

"Go on in there with the rest of the trainees," Lupin pushed him towards the room.

Harry nodded glumly and pushed open the door. Neville waved him over and Harry hesitated just a moment before joining his friend. The last thing he wanted to do now was give Neville a play-by-play account of what had transpired that evening with Hermione.

"What is going on with you?" Neville whispered.

"Nothing," Harry answered shortly, staring straight ahead.

Neville gave him a dubious look before looking through the wall to where Andrew Murphy sat on a chair, his head lolling around.

"He doesn't look very good, does he?" Megan commented softly from behind Harry and Neville.

"No he doesn't," Neville replied. "It's got to be more than a memory charm here..."

Matthew snorted from his seat beside Megan. "Brilliant deduction, Longbottom...," he said sarcastically.

"Shut up Matt," Megan snapped. "Or would you like me to slap you again?"

"Save it, Reilly," Matt said, looking at Harry. "Hey, Potter? Why so glum? I heard you tried to get Lupin to let you question that vegetable. What's the matter? Didn't get your way? Going to have a nice cry about it?"

Harry turned and gave him an icy glare. "You'd best shut the fuck up before I make you a vegetable just like him."

Matt didn't have a chance to respond. The room grew quiet as they each saw Lupin enter Andrew's room.

Through the next half hour, Luna's hand cramped as she scribbled as fast as she could, intent on putting together a story about this poor man that would make the public aware of someone who could do such a thing. It frightened her to think that the culprit was most likely Gordon Devereaux and that she had seen and talked to him- it frightened her more to think of how often he had been alone with Hermione.

As Harry watched Lupin gently try and coax some information out of Andrew, he saw his hopes dash with each passing minute. Andrew was making no sense at all. Most of the time he sat there in silence, staring off into space. When Andrew did speak, it was in complete non sequiturs.

Lupin was growing frustrated, as even the memory retrievers from St. Mungo's weren't able to penetrate the charm. "Let's let him rest until tomorrow," he sighed. "There's nothing more we can do with him tonight."

Harry sat completely frozen as he heard the room quietly begin to empty.

"Harry..." Neville touched his shoulder. "Come on we have to go. I'm sure Hermione's waiting for you at home."

"I'm not going home," Harry said weakly.

"Why not?" Neville was confused.

"I just can't," Harry answered, slowly getting to his feet.

"Harry--" Neville began.

"I told her," Harry said, interrupting him. "I told her everything I'd manage to dig up on Devereaux and she didn't believe a word I said. Can you believe that? She just dismissed it all...wouldn't even look at it..."

"What?" Neville asked. "You dug up stuff on Gordon?"

"Luna managed to find out loads of background information," Harry explained. "She even had photographs linking Andrew and Gordon at Durmstrang."

"What?" Neville's eyes grew wide. "You mean... you think Gordon did this to Andrew?"

"No," Harry said, shaking his head. "I KNOW Gordon did that to Andrew."

Neville felt his jaw drop. "What... did you tell Lupin?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "But unless Andrew or some witness can come forward to prove it, I'm right back where I started from."

Neville wasn't sure what to say. "Did you want me to go over and talk to her? Maybe Luna will, since she dug up everything..."

"She won't listen to me, what makes you so sure she'd listen to anyone else?" Harry asked quietly. "I walked out on her..."

"You WHAT?" If Neville was shocked before it was nothing like how he felt now.

"We had a terrible row about it," Harry said. "We both said some horrible things to each other. And I just couldn't take it anymore, Neville. She thought I was making all of this up!"

Neville shook his head sympathetically. "Sounds... sounds as if you've both got your work cut out for you," he was afraid to bring up the topic of their possible engagement.

"I need to get out of here," Harry said. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"All right," Neville said. "You know you can stay with us... if you have to right?"

Harry nodded. "I'll be fine."

Luna was putting her quill back in her bag and leaving the press room at the same time Harry was leaving. "Harry..." she said. "I'm sorry we didn't get to talk earlier--"

Harry gave her a weak smile. "It's okay."

"You look horrible..." Luna was concerned. "I mean... I know I interrupted you and Hermione earlier and I'm sorry..."

Harry couldn't believe that only a few hours ago, he and Hermione had been all over each other. It seemed like ages ago now. "You don't have to be sorry, Luna. You've done so much for me these past few weeks. I haven't thanked you properly."

Luna nodded. "Harry... I don't mean to sound... selfish or anything..." she adjusted her strap and looked down. "This scares me. I don't think I can look up anything more." she pulled a few more photos and some parchment out of her bag. "I meant to give these to you earlier. Those people I was telling you about, my source confirmed that they're Gordon's parents. And now Andrew is the same way they are." Tears pricked at her eyes. "I'm afraid of him."

Harry's heart went out to Luna. He hadn't thought about how all of this could have affected her. If he thought he couldn't feel worse than he already did, he was mistaken as he gave his friend a comforting hug. "Shhhh...Luna," he whispered. "It's okay. You've done more than enough. I can take it from here."

"All right," she sniffled. "I don't mean to pull out on you Harry I really don't..."

"Don't you think on it one more second," Harry said giving her a reassuring smile. "Hey... you should be home making sure that man of yours doesn't eat you out of house and home, right?"

"Will you walk me back?" she asked. "I'm sort of freaked out about being on my own."

"Of course," he answered. "Are you ready to go now?"

Luna nodded, tucking her long hair behind her ear. "Thanks Harry."

"No problem," he said, putting an arm around her as they walked out of the building.

Luna thanked him again as Harry dropped her off at her flat; he insisted on walking her up to the door. He'd been strangely quiet, but she attributed that to knowing who was responsible for Andrew's condition but unable to prove it. "I'll see you later Harry. Take care of Hermione."

At the mention of Hermione's name, Harry felt his stomach plummet. He couldn't believe he'd walked out on her like he had.

"Yeah," he said, pecking Luna on the cheek. "Good night."

"Night," Luna watched him go down the corridor then let herself into the flat. She was exhausted yet the night was still young for her- she had to compile her notes and write the story so it could go out in the next day's issue.

Ron, who was sound asleep on the sofa, hadn't heard Luna come inside, but Paddington ran for the door and wagged his tail and panted at Luna, begging for her attention.

"Hey Paddy," Luna said softly, scratching her puppy behind the ears. "Have you been good for daddy?"

"No," Ron said groggily, rubbing his eyes as he came toward her. "The bloody beast is..." His voice trailed off as he focused on his girlfriend who seemed to lost and sad. "Luna? What's wrong?"

Luna sighed. "It's just been a really rough night," she said, her voice trembling a bit.

Ron quickly crossed the room and took her in his arms. "You want to talk about it?" he asked, patting her back.

Luna looked up at him, tears pooling in her eyes and suddenly everything was spilling out of her. "I'm scared Ron," she couldn't hold back her tears any longer and he pulled her closer into his arms.

"It's okay, sweetheart," he said softly. "Nothing's going to happen to you. I won't let it."

"I know," Luna said into his shoulder as he stroked her hair gently. "I guess I'm just afraid that he'll find out I dug up all that information on him and come after me. Harry told me not to bother with it anymore... said I'd done enough."

"You have," he said. "And he won't find out that you helped Harry. Besides, it's not you this Gordon bloke is concerned about. It's Hermione..." Ron frowned. "That was a terrible thing to say, wasn't it? I don't want anything to happen to Hermione. I just--I don't always say the right thing."

"You never do," Luna managed a small laugh. "But that's what I love about you. Your heart is in the right place."

He smiled adoringly at her. "I know you have your story to write and all, but let me pamper you for a bit. How does a nice mug of hot chocolate sound? And I managed to save you some of those biscuits you like so much."

"You're the best Ronald Weasley," Luna gave him a kiss. "Will you hold me for a few minutes first?"

"Of course," he said leaning back on the sofa so she could rest her head on his chest. They didn't say anything for the longest time and Ron just held her content that she was safe and that they were happy. He hoped that Harry would be able to say the same about Hermione soon.

*** *** ***

Harry didn't go home that night. After leaving Neville at headquarters, he'd walked around thinking about the fight with Hermione. Although it could sometimes drive him crazy, her stubborn streak was one of the things he loved most about her. The way that if she thought something was right, she'd stand her ground and not back down.

At the moment though, he hated that stubborn streak of hers. She wouldn't listen to reason. He'd tried to show her every detail and bit of information he'd managed to find on Gordon and she hadn't even looked at it. She'd just dismissed it straightaway. They were supposed to be in love, he thought miserably. If she didn't trust him and his judgment, what kind of relationship or future would they have?

He'd gone into an all-night diner and drank cup after cup of coffee, thinking about what had happened over the past year. Meeting her had changed his life and now…it seemed to be falling apart.

At around 8 the next morning, he walked the familiar route to Cho and Neville's flat. Neville would be in training, but Harry didn't much feel like going. He was glad Neville wouldn't be there. He needed to see Cho. She'd understand. Perhaps, she'd tell him what he should do.

He knocked on the door, hoping he wouldn't wake the baby. It took awhile for someone to come to the door. When Cho finally answered the door, she was still dressed in her pyjamas and her dressing gown was hanging off her shoulder. She looked none too pleased to be awake at such an early hour.

"Harry?" she asked after letting out a big yawn. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I needed to talk," Harry said.

"It's too early to talk," she said groggily, rubbing her eyes. "This is the only morning I've had to have a proper lie-in."

"I'm really sorry," Harry apologised. "You're the only person I could come to about this."

Cho focused her attention on him and saw for the first time how horrible he looked. He had a five o'clock shadow and his clothes were all wrinkled. "Come on inside," she said, standing back.

"Thanks," Harry stepped inside. "Have you got anything warm to drink? Any coffee?"

"Um, sure," she said shutting the door behind him. "Neville put a fresh pot on before he left. Speaking of which, shouldn't you be in training?"

"Probably," Harry sighed, his eyelids drooping. "But I just can't handle it today, not after last night."

"I didn't get a chance to speak with Neville," Cho said, as they walked into the kitchen. "He came home pretty late last night. He mentioned they found that reporter..."

"Yeah they did." Harry sat down as Cho got them both some coffee. "He's pretty useless."

Cho handed him a cup of coffee and sat down. "Forgive me for saying so, but you look awful, Harry."

Harry looked up at her. "Well I feel terrible. Why shouldn't I look terrible as well?" he laughed dryly.

Cho put a hand over her mouth. "Oh! Harry...you proposed and Hermione said no! Oh...I can't believe she didn't say yes..."

Harry snorted. "That's not it," he said.

She stared across the table at him. "Well, what is it?"

He sighed. "I asked Luna to check into Gordon Devereaux for me. I don't like the guy... there's something about him I haven't liked from the first time I met him last year..." he told her what Luna had dug up. "And so I'm positive he's the one that charmed this Andrew Murphy because I think he's somehow going to go after Hermione. I don't know how, or when... I just have this bad feeling."

Cho hadn't liked Gordon either, but she shuddered to think that someone she knew could be responsible for such horrible acts. "Did you tell Hermione what you found out?" she asked.

"I tried to," Harry replied miserably. "I gave her everything I had and she just tossed it away. Wouldn't even look at it."

"I-I don't understand," Cho said shaking her head. "Are you saying she didn't believe you?"

Harry thought for a moment. "I don't know," he finally replied. "Every time over the past few weeks I've tried to say something about him, she blocks me out. I thought when I got back from New Zealand that I'd finally be able to sit her down and talk to her. Instead we fought about me asking Ron and Seamus to look in on her. And then for the rest of the week everything was fine, and it was too good for me to try and spoil it again." he looked at Cho. "You saw us last night. Everything couldn't have been better. And then Luna told me they found Andrew Murphy and so when she asked me what was going on, I finally just told her. And it blew right back up in my face!"

"Harry, I can't believe she wouldn't have listened to you. I mean I know that she's sort of got a blind spot where he's concerned, but the two of you---"

"I walked out on her," Harry interrupted. "I just couldn't take it anymore. She's so bloody stubborn and she just wouldn't listen." to his dismay his eyes filled with tears. "Hermione's probably packing up to move back home as we speak. I don't want to lose her Cho."

Cho was still trying to wrap her brain around the fact that the happy couple who'd left her house last night were now in shambles. "You walked out on her?" she couldn't help asking.

Harry nodded, his eyes cast down at the floor. "And she asked me if I was coming back and like a fucking idiot I said I don't know." he shook his head.

Cho reached her hand across the table and patted her best friend's arm. "You haven't lost her, Harry. But, if you don't do something to fix this soon...you will. And you and I both know that Gordon Devereaux was counting on this...probably playing on her sympathies...making her feel sorry for him."

"You think he's waiting to move in on her?" Harry asked, suddenly panicked.

Cho rolled her eyes. "Of course, he is! Harry, do you remember that Daily Prophet article about you and Isabella? Stupid question, of course you do. Anyways, that wanker called supposedly to check on Hermione, but Luna wouldn't let him and he got really snarky about it."

"I never knew that," Harry said. "There's my last bit of proof- he knew the article was there and called to try and worm in on her while her defences were low."

Cho sat back. “How about I go over there now and shake some sense into her? No one can talk like me, Harry, and I won’t leave until she sees what you’ve been trying to tell her all along.”

“No,” Harry said. “This is between her and me now... I have to take care of this myself.”

"Exactly," Cho said, looking earnestly at her best friend. "So, you have two options here, Harry. One, you can sit here feeling sorry for yourself while that psycho moves in on Hermione or two, you can get off your arse and you can both work and save your relationship. So...the only question is, what are you going to do?"

Harry stared at her for a moment. "I'm going to go talk to her," he said, a light springing into his eyes.

"There's the Harry Potter I know and love," she said smiling at him.

Harry smiled back at her. "I knew you'd be able to talk some sense into me." he got up and gave Cho a hug. "Don't ever tell anyone, but out of all our friends, you're my favourite."

She laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. To tell you the truth, you're my favourite, too. And I'd be even more crazy about you, if you'd let me go back to sleep."

"All right," Harry kissed her cheek. "If you ever tell anyone that I'll spill the beans to Lupin that you had a crush on him at Hogwarts."

Cho frowned. "You play dirty, Potter."

"I know," Harry said. "And when it comes to Gordon, I'm about to play even dirtier. I hope that bastard stays away from Hermione for his own sake."

"You and me both," Cho said, walking him to the door. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks. Have a good morning's sleep." he smiled at her as she shut the door behind him. He looked at his watch and decided to stop by the cottage to see if Hermione had gone to class. If she had, there would be one more stop for him to make before talking to her.

*** *** ***

Hermione dragged herself to class that morning, never feeling more miserable in her life. She had been certain that once Harry had worked his anger off he'd be back, yet their bed was in the same manner it had been the night before and it was obvious that he had not come home. She couldn’t believe he had left, but at the same time she knew she was being more than stubborn at this point- and the whole situation had gone on long enough.

She had taken a quick shower and then while getting dressed, had put on her locket. Hermione thought about glancing inside but was afraid of what she would see, of whom Harry would possibly be with. What scared her the most at the moment was where their relationship was left standing.

Still wiping away a few random tears as she came upon the University campus, she slipped into the classroom.

"Hey, Hermione!" Gordon said, looking up as she walked into the room. "We're in luck. The professor's letting us have this class to work on our project. Isn't that great..." His voice trailed off as he took in her pale skin and red eyes. "Hermione, what's happened?"

Hermione took one look at his concerned face and burst into tears again. She fell into her seat and put her face in her hands, her shoulders drooping as she began to sob.

"Hermione?" Gordon asked, awkwardly patting her on the back. "What is it? You can tell me. Maybe I can help."

"I don't think anyone can help," Hermione muttered, wiping her nose on a tissue.

He gave her a sympathetic smile, the wheels turning in his head. He wondered if it could be possible that Saint Potter finally messed up. "Why don't you give me a try?" he asked soothingly.

"Harry and I... had a really huge fight last night," she said, confirming his suspicions. "He left and he wasn't back this morning when I woke up."

Gordon felt a smile twitching at his lips. Thankfully, Hermione had put her head in her hands again and hadn't seen this. "You've fought before, Hermione. I'm sure its just a misunderstanding," he said, forcing himself to sound sincere.

"This time it was the worst it's ever been," Hermione's voice was quivering dangerously. "He's never left before Gordon. We always made up as soon as possible. I'm so scared that I'm going to go home and all his things will be gone."

I'll go and help him pack, Gordon mused silently to himself. This was the best news he could have imagined hearing, but he mustn’t seem too happy about it. He needed to play the concerned friend. He opened his arms. "Come here..."

Hermione turned and let her friend hug her. She needed support right now and was glad there was someone here to give it to her. "Do you think he'd leave me?" she asked.

Gordon didn't know what Hermione and Harry had fought about and he didn't care. He pulled Hermione closer to him. This was it. Potter had finally done it. With the right encouragement, perhaps she'd not even want to go back to him.

"I can't believe he'd walk out on you to begin with," Gordon said softly.

"I feel like I let him," Hermione sniffed miserably. "I could have done something to make him stay but I didn't."

"You've not done anything wrong, Hermione," Gordon said softly. "You're wonderful and Potter just never appreciated it." He held her and couldn't believe how natural it felt---like they were made for each other.

Hermione wiped at her eyes again. "I just don't know what to do," she sobbed.

"You don't have to do anything," Gordon said, burying his head in her hair. He felt so wonderful being with her like this, he couldn't help what he did next. He pulled away from her and looked into her chestnut eyes. Leaning in, he kissed her forehead. "He'll never hurt you again, Hermione. I promise."

"Gordon..." Hermione felt a familiar unnerving feeling in her stomach at the intense look on his face. She pulled away carefully, dabbing at her eyes. Everything that had happened in the last few months flooded back into her head- Gordon almost kissing her, the look on his face when he saw her in the lingerie… Harry’s suspicions, the situation with Skylar… it all suddenly made Hermione feel uneasy and dirty, like Gordon had somehow charmed her to see only what he wanted her to see.

‘What if Harry was right…’ she thought. ‘You know he is, otherwise he wouldn’t have pursued this.’ A voice spoke in her head.

Gordon couldn't believe his stupidity. He'd been too bold...too soon. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean anything..."

"I'm just upset," Hermione lied, still feeling unnerved. "You didn't do anything wrong."

He smiled, but still felt as if he'd acted too soon. But, he reminded himself, the fact that she was pulling away from him now didn't really mean anything. She was just going to need time to heal, but Potter wasn't going to be an issue. She'd be free.

"How about I take you for a coffee to cheer you up?" he suggested. "Or I could walk you home..."

"I think I'm just going to go home myself after class," Hermione said quietly. "Thank you though."

"Sure," he said, "but we've got this period free. We're just supposed to work on our projects. If you wanted to go on home, I'd understand."

"No I'll stay and work," Hermione said, sniffing back her tears. "Help keep my mind off everything." she forced a smile on her face. ‘And help me try to figure my thoughts out,’ she added to herself.

"Good," he said squeezing her hand. "Let's get to it then."

*** *** ***

Robert Granger was going over some charts for a surgical consult he had later that afternoon when his secretary buzzed him to let him know he had a visitor.

"Who is it?" Robert asked, rubbing his eyes. It had already been a long morning and he'd really been glad to have the peace and quiet.

"Harry Potter," his secretary answered. "He says its important."

Robert leaned back in his chair. "Send him in."

Harry stepped in, feeling quite unsure about what he was doing here. "Hello sir," he said nervously.

"Harry," Robert said, standing up and motioning toward a chair. "What brings you by?"

"I wanted to have a word with you," Harry replied. "Is this a bad time?"

Robert looked at his watch. "I'm actually quite busy, Harry. Are you sure this can't wait?"

Harry's knee bounced nervously. "I should only be a minute..." he said, his resolve faltering by the second.

"Okay," Robert said. He looked across his desk at the young man who looked as if he was struggling to think of what to say. "Harry?"

Harry had so many things he wanted to tell this man but couldn't think of how to phrase them. "I love Hermione," he said, the words bubbling over before he could stop them.

Robert stared at him. "I know that, Harry."

"Right," Harry twisted his jumper nervously. "Well... last night... Hermione and me, well... we had a big fight."

Robert nodded. "All couples fight, Harry. Elinore and I can still have some amazing rows and we've been married for over twenty years."

"Well..." Harry twisted his sleeve even more. "I sort of walked out and stayed out all night."

"Harry, if you've come here to tell me you've cheated on my daughter--," Robert started.

"I'd never do that!" Harry's head shot up. "I stayed in a bloody all night diner and drank coffee that tasted like sludge."

"Okay," Robert said slowly. "I still don't understand what any of this has to do with me, Harry."

"I've sort of messed this all up..." Harry began. "I want... I want to ask Hermione to marry me. But now I don't know if she will... I don't know how to begin making things up to her."

"From time to time, we men all mess...pardon me, but did you just say you wanted to marry Hermione?" Robert asked.

Harry nodded resolutely. "I want to marry her... and I guess it's a bit old fashioned but I wanted to ask your permission first."

Robert nodded and a nearly deafening silence filled the room.

"I can remember a day years back when I went to ask Elinore's dad if I could marry her," Robert finally said. "I must have thrown up six times on the way to her house. He took me aside, and I told him why I was there. I'd...I'd never been so nervous in my entire life. And he asked me one question. Do you have any idea what that question was?"

Harry shook his head, positive that Robert was two seconds away from laughing in his face and kicking him out of his office.

"He asked me why I wanted to marry her," Robert said, laughing at the recollection of it. "You ever get that feeling that taking a test that you didn't study for? That was how I felt when he asked me that question. I wondered what the right answer could be. He just stared at me, as if he was waiting for me to screw up. So, I looked him straight in the eye and I said, 'I love your daughter with all my heart and I don't deserve her, but for some reason, she seems to love me too'."

"And he liked that," Harry's grip on the chair was relaxing.

"Well, he never said whether he did or didn't," Robert said with a wry smile. "But he didn't kill me on the spot so I figured I had his blessing."

Harry smiled too. "That was a good answer."

"It was the truth," Robert said simply. "So, Harry. I think I'd like to ask you the same question. Why do you want to marry my daughter?"

Harry bit his lower lip for a moment. "Even though I haven't even known her for a year... Hermione just feels like another part of me. I feel as if I've known her for a lot longer. I'd die before letting anything happen to her. I love her so much that knowing we're not happy with each other right now makes me..." Harry slumped back in the chair.

"Empty?" Robert asked.

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I feel empty... and a bit numb."

"I don't know what you fought about and I don't need to know," Robert said wisely. "But my daughter has a bit of a stubborn streak in her...Elinore thinks she gets it from me."

That made Harry smile. "I'm not going to say anything about that," he replied, making Robert laugh.

"Good answer," Robert said chuckling. "I know I haven't always been fair to you and I apologise for that, Harry. But when you ask me whether or not you can marry Hermione....well, I just have one thing to say about that."

"What's that?" Harry's heartbeat sped up again as a lump wedged itself in his throat.

Robert pushed back from his chair and stood. He looked Harry straight in the eyes, a serious expression on his face. Slowly, he extended his hand and grinned. "Welcome to the family, son."

42. Chapter 42

Author's note: Something that you've all been waiting for happens in this chapter and something else even bigger than that happens, too. We're getting near the end, but don't worry...we have something else planned. But, you don't need to know about that now. As always, we hope you will let us know what you think.

Hermione walked home slowly, her mind overworked and spinning from her jumble of thoughts. Foremost on her mind was Harry. She was afraid of what she might find when she reached the cottage, if he would be there, and if he was, would he want to try and make things up or were things truly over between them.

A sob broke out of her at that thought and she pushed it away. She also couldn’t stop thinking about Gordon that morning, and why his words about not letting Harry hurt her ever again could trigger such a response. If what Harry said was true, how could she have been blind for so long? Was she really that naive that she couldn’t see what was going on right on front of her?

With some trepidation, Hermione unlocked the front door and pushed it open slowly.

Harry had been sitting in the kitchen when he heard the front door open. After visiting with Hermione's dad, he'd come home and taken a shower and shaved. He felt very happy that her dad had given him the go ahead to propose, but now that she was home, he had no idea what to say.

"Hello?" she called out softly. "Har... Harry?"

"Hi," he said, walking out of the kitchen. Nervously, he put his hands in his jeans pockets.

"Hi," Hermione replied, feeling stupid after the words left her mouth. She dropped her bag in it's usual spot. "How... how are you?"

"I've been better," he said dryly. She didn't laugh or respond in any way. "Hermione, this is crazy. We're acting like we just met instead of..."

"I know," she laughed nervously. "This is completely ridiculous."

"Perhaps we should sit down?" he suggested. "I really think we need to talk."

"I agree," Hermione took his outstretched hand and followed him into the living room.

Harry looked at her thoughtfully. "I am sorry for walking out on you last night, Hermione. But, I'm not sorry about what I told you...I believe that there's something seriously wrong with that guy. And I know you don't want to hear it, but if you'd just listen to me..."

"I know," Hermione said. "I'll listen to you Harry. This morning..." she sighed and leaned back into the sofa. "I was upset still when I went into class... I honestly didn't know where things were headed and it scared me. And I told Gordon what happened and he hugged me... and instead of feeling comforted I got the chills. And then..." she looked up and saw the look on her boyfriend's face. "He told me he wouldn't let you hurt me again. And then I kept thinking of other times that his behaviour has been odd and… I wondered if maybe you were right all along…”

Harry couldn't believe Gordon's nerve. He and Hermione had one fight---albeit a large one---and this bloke moves in for the kill. He couldn't think of anything to say, so he just shook his head.

"I'll listen to whatever you want to tell me," Hermione's voice was quavering. "I tried to blame you for it too. I tried to convince myself that I was only thinking that way because of what you told me last night." she shook her head. "But something tells me there's more to it..." her voice was becoming more strained as she tried to fight her tears.

"Come here," he said, taking her in his arms. "Shhhh....it's okay. I was so afraid that I'd come back here this morning and find you packing your bags."

"I'm not going anywhere," Hermione held onto him, burying her face in his shoulder. "I'm so sorry Harry. I'm so sorry I didn't bother to hear you out."

"Well, I came at you full throttle," he said with a slight laugh. "I was such an idiot for walking out on you."

"I was stupid for not making you stay," Hermione rubbed her eyes as his hands moved comfortingly over her back.

"I wasn't trying to control you, Hermione," he said apologetically. "And I know I may have been overprotective at times, but I can't help it. I've lost so many people that I cared about and the last thing I want to do is lose you."

"I know," Hermione replied. "I realise that now."

Harry stroked her cheek. "You're really ready to hear all that I have to say about him? You really want to see the information and the photos?"

She nodded. "If you... if you're that convinced, then yes."

He smiled. "Would it be alright if I kissed you first? I wanted to since the moment you walked in the door."

Hermione couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips. "I've wanted that too," she said.

Harry pressed his lips to hers and kissed her softly. She felt a tear slip down her cheek as she kissed him back; her arms looped around his neck again and she pulled him close.

He pulled away from her and rested his forehead on hers. "I missed you," he whispered.

"I missed you too," Hermione replied softly.

He held her for a few more minutes, no words passing between them. Reluctantly, he pulled away from her and went upstairs to grab the clippings and photographs.

While she waited, Hermione allowed her mind to wander again. Part of her still wanted to insist that Harry was wrong, that Gordon would never lie to her or hurt anyone but she pushed that away. If he could prove it to her... she shuddered as she thought about it.

A few moments later, Harry came back downstairs carrying a folder. He realised how hard this was for her. Gordon was someone she had trusted and believed in and she was about to see that he'd lied to her time and time again. Although he was glad she'd finally decided to listen to him, he knew that this was going to hurt her. That was the last thing he wanted to do.

"Here's everything," he said, handing her the folder.

Hermione took it with a shaking hand. "Will you go through it with me?" she asked, her voice scratchy.

"Of course," he said, sitting down beside her. For the next half hour, she listened quietly as Harry explained each piece of evidence and each photograph. When they came to the photographs of Gordon's parents, she gasped.

"I know your families were close," Harry said, taking her hand.

"Oh Merlin," Hermione said, her other hand clapped to her mouth in horror. "That's... that's..." she stared at the photograph with tears in her eyes.

"His parents tried for years to get him some help," Harry explained gently. "From what Luna managed to find out, they cared a great deal about their son, but he didn't see it that way. He thought they were trying to control him."

"And so he memory charmed them and it turned horribly wrong," Hermione whispered, still in shock.

Harry nodded. "The medical team in charge of their care has tried numerous spells to try and restore their memories, but nothing has worked. They'll...they'll probably be this way the rest of their lives."

Hermione tried to speak but a lump had wedged itself firmly in her throat. How could Gordon have done this? How could SHE be so stupid as to believe him over Harry for so long?

Harry closed the folder and put it on the coffee table. "That's all that we've managed to find out so far," Harry said softly. "Lupin's still hoping to find something linking him to Andrew's disappearance. They've not managed to turn up anything yet, but hopefully Gordon will slip up at some point."

Hermione didn't say anything. She stared at the folder that held so many truths, the truths about someone she'd thought was her friend and cared about. With a loud scream, she grabbed the folder and flung it across the room. "How could he lie to me?" Hermione asked angrily. "I trusted him and he's been lying to me all this time!"

"He knew what a kind heart and a generous spirit you have," Harry said softly. "He took advantage of that time and time again."

Hermione sniffed. "What is it about me that's so easy to fool? I guess I'm book smart but when it comes to people I have a lot to learn."

"Hermione, that's not true," he said taking her hands in his. "One of the things I love most about you is how you want to see the good in everyone. That's the way you are. Gordon is...he's a bastard who used that. This wasn't all you. It was him. He's a manipulator.”

Hermione stared at him. "I just don't understand why," she muttered.

"I wish I could give you an answer," he said.

“How can you be this way with me?” she asked shakily. “You’ve been trying to tell me this and I always brushed you off. How can you forgive me now?”

“I love you,” Harry said. “That’s how.”

"It's just hard," Hermione said, quietly. "At one point, Gordon was my only friend. All the other kids called me names and he was the only one who gave me the time of day. While everyone was calling me a bushy haired bookworm know it all, he was my friend."

"And he took advantage of that," Harry said, shaking his head.

Hermione felt a myriad of emotions in her, anger at Gordon for what he had done and for lying, anger at herself for being so trusting, sadness for Gordon's parents... "I can't help but think now..." she began, her voice shaking a bit. "Knowing what he's capable of... it scares me." she looked up at Harry. "What if he decides to come after me, or come after you?"

"I'll kill him," Harry answered honestly.

Hermione drew in a gasp. "Harry don't say such things..."

"It's the truth, Hermione."

Hermione didn't say anything for a minute. "Well..." she got up and began picking up the scattered photos, even though she could have easily put them together with one wave of her wand. "I guess... the best thing to do here is for me to just cut myself away from him. I'll go to my professor on Monday and ask for an extension so I can finish this project myself."

"I was hoping you'd say that," he said, bending down to help her. "I don't want you to be alone with him."

"I don't want to be alone with him again either. Ever..." Hermione said.

"You won't have to be," he whispered. She was trembling and Harry took the folder from her hand and set it back on the coffee table. He pushed a strand of her hair away from her face and his hand lingered on her cheek.

"I'm scared," she confessed in a whisper.

"I know you are," he said, cupping her face in his hands. "But I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"Okay," Hermione leaned in and kissed him. "I love you Harry."

"I love you," he echoed before kissing her again.

*** *** ***

Lavender unlocked the door to the cottage and set down the bag of groceries and other items she and Seamus had bought at the shops earlier that afternoon.

"Hermione?" she called out, hoping that Hermione and Harry were long gone. "Harry?"

When no one answered, Lavender turned to her boyfriend and grinned. "I think we're alone..."

"Good to hear," Seamus said. "So Harry asked you to come over here?"

"Yeah," Lavender said, shutting the door behind him. "He said we were supposed to make this place romantic."

Seamus frowned. "What the bloody hell for?"

Lavender beamed at him. "He's proposing! Can you believe it! I squealed so loud when he told me, I think I may have damaged his eardrums." When she saw Seamus didn't react to the news, it was she who frowned. "What? You don't think this is the greatest thing ever? Or...you knew! You knew already!"

"I didn't know," Seamus said. "But I didn't quite hear you because you screamed so loudly."

"Shut up!" she exclaimed, swatting him. "You are such a sourpuss lately."

"I'm sorry," Seamus replied. "Could it be because I'm still recovering from the bloody Wizarding Flu?"

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Okay, why don't you just sit on the couch and I'll do the work. I've got candles, champagne, music... everything that the two of them could possibly need."

"I can't believe Harry's proposing," Seamus replied. "Seems like yesterday he was proclaiming to be a bachelor for life."

"Yes, well Hermione used to tell me that she didn't plan on getting married until after she'd established herself in a career and even then she wasn't sure she'd ever get married," Lavender mused as she pulled some candles from the paper bag.

"Right," Seamus took the candles from her. "And now the biggest bachelor and biggest spinster are about to marry each other."

“Sounds like you could use that plot for your next film," she joked.

"Starring Harry Potter and Hermione Granger," Seamus said with a grin. "What do you think?"

"Directed by Seamus Finnigan with costumes by Lavender Brown," Lavender said with a giggle. "Sounds like a winner to me."

"Aye," Seamus grabbed his girlfriend's waist. "You know what sounds like a winner?"

“What?" she asked.

"You on that sofa," Seamus pushed her onto the piece of furniture.

"I thought you were still getting over the Wizarding Flu?" she asked teasingly.

"It's not contagious remember?" Seamus grinned wickedly.

"Seamus," Lavender said laughing. "We can't do this here! This is Harry and Hermione's home..."

"So what's your point?" Seamus asked. "They're not going to be home for awhile."

Lavender looked thoughtfully at him. "Well, Harry did say he was going to take her out for dinner and then they were going to come back here...and that could be hours from now..."

"Right," Seamus said, giving her a light kiss. "And I haven't been with you in at least a week and a half..."

"That's very true," she said before kissing him.

He pulled her onto the sofa, kissing her with a heated passion that surprised even him. "I love you," he muttered before she began pushing her body on top of his.

Lavender couldn't believe they were doing this here, but any bad feelings she might have had were slipping away as Seamus kissed her neck. What Harry and Hermione didn't know, couldn't possibly hurt them. Besides, Lavender thought, the two of them had probably done much worse.

"It's been too fucking long," Seamus said, pulling at her shirt. "This can be our bloody Valentine's Day date."

"You sure are a cheap date then," she couldn't stop herself from saying. "Only kidding!"

"If you're going to be like that I won't give you any," Seamus said with a wicked grin.

"You win," she said, lifting her head from the sofa pillow to kiss him again.

He pushed up on her shirt as his lips moved over her open neck. "I need you so bad," he muttered.

"I feel the same way," she whispered.

Seamus kissed her fully, delving his tongue into her mouth. "Good answer," he said huskily.

She grinned and hoped that neither Harry nor Hermione found out what they were about to do. She hoped that wherever her cousin and Harry were at the moment that they were having a wonderful time and that they stayed away for quite some time.

*** *** ***

Harry was nervous as he led Hermione into the restaurant. He was going to propose. If all went well... by the end of the night he'd be engaged to marry the smartest and in his opinion the most beautiful witch in the entire Wizarding World.

Hermione couldn't help her jaw from dropping as they walked into the restaurant. This had to be the most posh restaurant in all of London. "I've heard about this place!" Hermione couldn't help exclaiming as they walked inside. "Lavender said this is THE restaurant. She said that people are on waiting lists just to get in here."

"Really?" Harry seemed surprised. "When I rang them and asked for a reservation, once I told them my name I got right in... and a Muggle place at that."

"My dad even tried to take my mum here for their anniversary last year, but they said it'd be three months before he could get a reservation," Hermione said.

"Merlin," Harry muttered his breath. He wondered if a witch had taken their reservation and moved them into the immediate waiting list. "I guess we got lucky then."

"I guess we did," she said squeezing his hand. She was still shaken up by the whole Gordon thing, but when Harry had suggested a nice evening out, she'd jumped at the chance to get her mind off of it. She'd thought that he would just take her out for a pizza or something, but he'd surprised her when he'd dressed in a suit and tie and suggested she wear that little black dress of hers. Tonight was definitely not going to be a pizza and movie night, she thought to herself.

Harry turned and smiled back at her as he pulled her chair out. The ring was in his pocket and he was determined to ask her tonight whether or not she'd have him as a husband. Although Harry was pretty sure he knew what her answer would be, he was still nervous about asking.

When Harry helped her with her wrap, she felt his trembling hands on her bare shoulder. "Everything okay?" she asked as he took his own seat.

"Sure," he answered. "Just chilly outside is all."

She nodded. "You should wear a suit more often. You look so handsome," she said, smiling at him before opening her menu.

"Thanks," Harry smiled at her. "And that black dress..."

Hermione blushed. "The result of my little shopping spree with Lavender a few months back. She said that every girl should have a 'little black dress'."

"And she was right," Harry's eyes were gleaming.

Hermione locked eyes with him and she saw so much love and faith and hope in them that she felt tears welling up in her own. "So...what are you thinking of getting?" she asked turning her attention back to her menu.

"I'm not sure yet," Harry replied. He actually didn't feel like eating that night. "Why don't you tell me what you're getting and I'll have the same."

Hermione scanned over the menu. "Everything looks amazing...I guess I'll go with Filet Mignon."

"That works for me," Harry set his menu down.

Their waiter came up to the table and took their order. Once they were alone again, Hermione couldn't help looking around at the people and the scenery. "I really needed a night like this, Harry. Thanks so much for suggesting it."

"Anything for you," his tone was soft as he reached for her hand across the table. "I guess I just needed to make things up for being such a prat."

"You more than made up for it last night," she said softly. They hadn't done more than hold each other because they'd both been knackered. Hermione hadn't minded. She'd just loved being close to him like that again.

Harry lifted her hand and kissed the back of it. "You deserve the best," he said. "And I know I'm not the best but I can certainly try."

"You ARE the best," she said, squeezing his hand. "You're the best for me. You always have been and you always will be."

Harry leaned over the table and gave her a quick kiss. "I like to think that too," he said.

"Harry," she said quietly. "There's something I need to tell you...that I should have told you last night when we talked about Gordon."

"What's that?" Harry asked.

She looked across the table at him. "Do you remember the other night when you came home and I was wearing that nightgown?"

"Yeah I remember," Harry said. "What about it?"

She bit her lip. "Right before you came home, Gordon walked in on me. I thought he was you and I turned around and he was looking at me...the way he was looking at me..."

"You didn't know," Harry said, looking at her. "You didn't know he was so..."

She shook her head. "I believed him when he said he'd just stopped by, but it still freaked me out. And there was a time a few weeks back when he...he nearly kissed me."

"He almost kissed you?" Harry asked, shocked.

"We were studying," she explained. "And talking about something and having a laugh and he leaned in and I stopped him, of course. He said he was hurting over Skylar and that he knew we were just friends. I can't believe I bought every single word!"

"Hermione," Harry leaned forward. "Don't start feeling guilty about this all right? You didn't know. I didn't even know. I just had a feeling that something wasn't right about him."

Hermione nodded. "You're right. And this night isn't about him. It’s about you and me, right?"

"Exactly sweetheart," Harry said gently.

She smiled and suddenly found herself remembering that last year at this time, she didn't even know him. It was such a foreign concept to her. It was hard to remember what life was like before him.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked.

"What I was doing last year at this time," she answered truthfully. "I think my parents were just talking about going to Hillsdale. I almost didn't go."

"You didn't?" Harry was surprised. "Why not?"

Hermione laughed. "I told my father I had better things to do with my time than sit around some lake and sunbathe. Can you believe that?"

"No," Harry snorted. "Especially since you came and did nothing of that sort."

"Well, you can thank my mum for talking me into going," Hermione said. "She reminded me that this was probably the last time we'd get to go on holiday as a family and that it wouldn't be the same if I didn't come, too."

"Well then I'll have to thank your mum," Harry said softly. "Otherwise we might not have met."

"God bless Mum," Hermione said with a laugh. "So, Harry Potter. What were you doing a year ago?"

"Hmm..." Harry sat back. "I think... at this point I was miserably thinking of another year under my uncle's thumb and also thinking about how much I hated almost everyone on the planet because they were all happier than I was."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Life wasn't that great. I was pretty lonely, although I wouldn't admit that to anyone."

"And then some bushy-haired know-it-all comes along trying to solve everyone's problems," she said rolling her eyes.

"Aye that's right and she made me fall head over heels in love with her," Harry grinned.

"Well, you certainly didn't make it easy," she teased. "Mister Mood Swing."

"Are you going on about that again?" he bantered. "I thought you were over that by now."

"I'm getting there," she said grinning at him.

Harry shook his head. "What else were you doing a year ago?" he asked.

"Waiting for you," Hermione answered, looking into his green eyes.

"I was waiting for you too," Harry gave her another kiss.

The waiter cleared his throat and Hermione pulled apart from her boyfriend to see that their food had arrived.

"Sorry," Harry said as their food was set in front of them. He fingered the ring in his pocket and tried to think of a good way to bring a proposal into their conversation.

They tucked into their food and were nearly finished when the waiter came back carrying a bottle of champagne. Hermione didn't remember them ordering champagne. "Compliments of the management, sir," the waiter said. "He said to tell you that if there was anything we could get you, don't hesitate to ask."

"Oh," Harry turned red. "Thanks..." he took the bottle. "Well... that was odd."

"I think you were right," Hermione said, looking over Harry's shoulder at the waiter who was talking to a rather portly looking man. "I think the owner must be a wizard."

"Could be," Harry hoped they weren't about to give away the reason he was here.

They finished their meal and Hermione looked across the table at her boyfriend. "I have an idea," she whispered.

"What's that?" Harry asked in an equally low voice.

"As lovely as this place is," she began, "there's nothing more that I'd like than to go on a nice walk with you and our bottle of champagne...what do you say?"

Harry laughed. "If that's what you want, sure," he said.

"That's what I want," she said happily.

"All right then," Harry signalled for their bill and paid it, leaving a rather generous tip on the table. They left the restaurant snuggled together, the bottle of champagne clutched in her hand.

Hermione laughed heartily as Harry spun her around as they walked along the sidewalk. "You're going to make me dizzy," she protested.

"Is that a bad thing?" Harry asked lightly.

"No," she whispered as he pulled her close. "Not at all."

"Good," Harry claimed her lips hungrily.

Hermione breathlessly pulled away from him so she wouldn't drop the champagne bottle.

"I hope you know how much I love you," Harry said intently.

"I do," she said softly, caressing his cheek with her free hand. "And I love you more than anything."

"Good to know," Harry kissed her again, leaving her without words.

Hermione felt somewhat weak in the knees and led Harry over to a bench. She cuddled up close to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Are you all right?" Harry kissed the side of her head.

"Yes," she said softly. "I'm here with you on this wonderful date and it's a beautiful night. I don't know of anything that could make this night any more perfect."

Harry realised what a perfect moment this was. A moonlit night, they were alone in a park and they had a bottle of champagne at their disposal. "Well..." he began. "I think there's one thing that could make this night more amazing than it's already been..."

"Hmmm?" she asked as he pulled away from her and stood up. "What could possibly make this better?"

Harry started to feel nervous again. "Well..." he started.

Hermione looked at him with a bemused expression on her face. "Harry James Potter, what are you up to?"

Harry looked at her a minute, running his finger down the side of her face. "I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," she whispered. "Harry..."

"Marry me," he suddenly breathed.

"What?" she asked, not sure if she'd heard him correctly. "What did you just say?"

"Will you marry me Hermione?" Harry asked quickly, afraid his voice might fail him. With a shaky hand, he pulled the jewellery box out of his pocket and held it in front her.

Hermione stared at him in disbelief and then her eyes fell on the most beautiful ring she'd ever seen in her life. Words failed her and she could do nothing but look at the green-eyed man kneeling on one knee in front of her.

"I know it seems sort of sudden," Harry felt the need to fill the air in front of him with words. "But I love you more than anything. And I want you to be my wife. I want us to be together in every way possible."

"Oh, Harry," she whispered. "I don't know what to say."

"Yes would be a good start," he said nervously.

With tears shining in her eyes, she smiled at him. "Yes," she answered. "Yes, I'll marry you."

Harry released a breath he hadn't realised he was holding.

She launched herself at him and hugged him tightly, causing him to stumble slightly.

"You said yes..." he said, still holding onto the jewellery box.

"I did," she said dreamily, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

"Then why are you crying?" he asked, laughing a little.

"Because I'm so happy, you git," she said laughing, too. She pulled away and he took her trembling hand in his and slid the ring onto her finger.

"I hope you like the ring," Harry said softly.

"It's beautiful," Hermione said, holding up her hand and admiring the ring. "Where did you get it?"

"Back in New Zealand," Harry said. "I've been waiting for the right moment..."

"This is certainly the right moment," she said, looping her arms around his neck before kissing him.

Harry kissed her back, almost laughing in relief. "I can't believe you said yes..." he murmured.

"You can't be serious," Hermione said laughing.

"I am," Harry replied, still holding onto her. "After we fought so much..."

"It didn't mean we stopped loving each other," Hermione interjected.

"I know," Harry rested his forehead on hers. He suddenly laughed and picked her up, swinging her around. "We're going to get married!"

"You're crazy," she giggled.

"All right, I'm crazy and you just agreed to marry me," Harry was still spinning them around.

"Yes I did," she said laughing. He finally set her down and Hermione felt dizzy and light-headed. "I'm so deliriously happy right now."

"Same here," Harry grinned. "I even asked your dad if he would approve of this and he said yes."

"My dad?" Hermione asked, surprised and touched at his gesture. "You must have scored major points with him for that."

"I hope so," Harry replied. "I just... I know you're close with your parents and so I wanted to make sure they were okay with us taking another big step."

"When I think I can't love you anymore than I already do, you do something like that and I just...I fall in love with you all over again," she said, hugging him tightly. "Take me home, Harry."

Harry grinned as he stuffed the box back in his pocket. Hermione grabbed the bottle of champagne again and he whisked her up in his arms and back to their cottage.

*** *** ***

Hermione was beaming the entire way home. This wasn't possible, she thought to herself as she and Harry walked up the front steps to the cottage. It couldn't be possible to be this happy. She couldn't stop looking at her ring, not only because it was beautiful, but to remind her that this was all, in fact, real.

"You don't think it's too late to call my parents, do you?" Hermione asked as Harry fumbled in his pocket for the keys. "Lavender is going to be over the moon about this!"

"Well..." Harry said, still elated at the fact that they were indeed engaged. "Lavender already knows..."

Hermione stared at him in disbelief. "She knew and she didn't tell me!"

"That was the whole point," Harry opened the door for her. "Wait in the hallway there a moment."

"Okay," she said, watching bemusedly as her boyfriend or rather now her fiancé walked away. She couldn't imagine what else he could have done to top that proposal.

Harry grinned at the setup in the living room. With a wave of his wand, several candles were lit and a nice fire was going in the fireplace. "Okay," he said, coming out of the room. "Close your eyes."

"Harry, what else have you done?" she asked. When he came back into the hallway, he gave her a stern look and so Hermione did as she was told and closed her eyes.

"All right," his breath was warm on her ear. "I'm just going to bring you right... in here..."

"Can I open my eyes yet?" she asked, a smile still planted firmly on her lips.

"Now you can," Harry said.

Hermione opened her eyes and gasped as she took in everything. Suddenly, the room was filled with soft music and Hermione turned around and looked at Harry with a teasing expression on her face. "You must have been pretty sure I was going to say yes to plan something like this."

"I had an inkling," Harry teased. "I was still nervous but I figured if all else failed I could bring you back here and woo you."

Hermione laughed and embraced him. "This is amazing."

"You're amazing," Harry said softly.

Hermione kicked off her shoes and grinned at him. "Dance with me?" she asked, holding out her hand.

"Of course," Harry replied.

He pulled her close and they began to sway to the music. Hermione rested her head on Harry's chest and sighed happily.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked, kissing her head.

"You, of course," she said softly. "This entire night has been the sweetest, most romantic, most amazing night of my life."

"Same here," Harry said. He dipped her back, both of them laughing.

"Do you think we'll still be like this when we're the boring, old married couple?' she asked.

"I should think so," Harry mused. "It won't be much different than we are now really."

"Except I'll have your last name," she said with a laugh. "Hermione Potter...what do you think?"

"That sounds fantastic," Harry said huskily. "And we'll have the same initials too. That'll make towel monogramming much easier."

Hermione laughed. "Admit it, that's the real reason why you asked, isn't it?"

"Of course it is," Harry replied smoothly.

"And you know what this means, don't you?" she asked, as he spun her around. "You're stuck with me forever...think you can handle that?"

"I should be asking YOU that," Harry pulled her close again. "Hey didn't you say you wanted to ring your parents?" he asked a few moments later.

"Yes," she said, pulling abruptly away from him and heading for the telephone. "Do you think it’s too late to call?"

"Maybe, but when you tell them why I don't think it'll matter," Harry stayed close to her, his arms wrapped around her waist.

Hermione smiled and quickly dialled her parents' number. It didn't even ring a second before Lavender's voice came on the line.

"Granger residence," she answered quickly. "Hermione is that you? Did you say yes?"

"Say yes to what?" Hermione teased, winking at Harry.

"To..." Lavender stopped. "Hermione don't tease me!"

"Of course I said yes," Hermione said laughing.

Lavender squealed so loudly and shrilly that Harry could hear it from three feet away. "That's wonderful!"

"Is Mum still awake?" Hermione asked, holding the phone away from her ear. She covered the received with her hand and whispered to Harry, "If she wasn't before, she has to be now with Lavender carrying on like that."

"No kidding," Harry whispered back.

"I think she's in bed but I don't think she's asleep yet," Lavender replied. "I'll go get her. Oooh Hermione I can't wait to start helping you plan this!"

"Wait, Lavender!" Hermione said quickly. "I wanted to ask you something first."

"What?" Lavender asked.

"Well, it's still early days yet, but I was hoping that you'd be my maid of honour," Hermione asked, trying not to laugh as Harry had covered his ears.

Lavender's reaction didn't disappoint. "Hermione are you serious?" she shrieked.

Hermione giggled. "Yes, who else would I ask? You're not only my cousin, you're my best friend, too."

"I'd love it," Lavender said and it sounded like she was sniffing back tears. "All right, let me go get Aunt Elinore..."

Hermione smiled at Harry. "She's gone to get Mum."

"Yeah I heard," Harry grinned wryly at her. "I think she's more excited than we are."

"That's not possible," Hermione said, winking at him. "She's just more demonstrative."

Harry gave her a quick kiss, leaning next to her so he could hear Elinore's reaction.

Elinore came on the line. "Hermione? Lavender says you have news for me?"

Harry grinned at his fiancée. "Mum, Harry and I are getting married!" Hermione crowed excitedly.

There was no response on the end of the line and Hermione's smile faded a bit. "Mum? Are you there?"

"Oh Hermione," Elinore finally said. "This is wonderful sweetheart! I'm sorry I was just so surprised!"

"So was I!" Hermione exclaimed and she briefly related Harry's proposal to her mother. By the end of the conversation, they were both in tears.

Harry shook his head. "Women," he groaned.

Hermione frowned. "Mum, I'm going to go now, but Harry and I will come by tomorrow afternoon, okay?"

"All right sweetheart," Elinore said. "Did you want me to get your father on the phone?"

"No, it's okay," Hermione said with a grin. "He already knows. Harry sort of talked about it with him before he asked me."

"Oh how lovely of him," Elinore smiled as she thought of the man who would now be her son in law. "We'll expect you around three, is that okay?"

"It's great," Hermione said. "We'll see you then. Love you." She hung up the phone and turned around to face her boyfriend, but found he wasn't standing there anymore. "Harry?"

"What?" he called out.

"Where are you?" she asked, trying to follow the sound of his voice.

"In here," he said.

Hermione grinned as she came back into the living room and saw him sitting on the sofa, pouring them both glasses of champagne.

"Its official now," she said, coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around his neck. "You've won over my entire family."

"Have I?" Harry turned to kiss her. "Such a change from this summer aye?"

"Definitely," she said, coming back around to sit beside him. "I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you went and spoke with my dad."

"It wasn't bad," Harry handed her a flute. "Honestly, I went to his office and he only had a few minutes. I was more messed up because we'd had that big fight and I sort of blurted out that I wanted to marry you."

"I'm so glad that the two of you are getting along," she said.

"Aye we are," Harry tapped his glass softly to hers.

Hermione took a sip from her glass. "And my mum has always liked you..."

"That's good," Harry smiled at her as he slid his arm around her shoulders. He chuckled softly. "Now that I've asked you, I feel all relaxed."

"Do you now?" Hermione asked, leaning against him, curling her legs up under her. "The hard work is just beginning. We've got to plan, plan, and plan."

"Isn't that the woman's part?" Harry teased.

"If you think you can just sit back while I plan this all by myself---well, you've just got another thing coming, Harry James Potter," she said, elbowing him in the ribs.

"Ouch," he was laughing. "Well I guess our first thing we have to figure out is setting a date. After that then we have to decide if this will be Muggle or done in the Wizarding World."

Hermione looked at him properly. "When did you want to get married? Your schedule's more inflexible than mine. I don't have classes this summer, of course, but were you thinking of a longer engagement?"

"I was thinking... next year," Harry said pensively. "That gives you time to make it the wedding of your dreams."

Hermione smiled. "How about next June?"

"June sounds great to me," Harry said. "Maybe... exactly two years from the day you arrived at Hillsdale. Two years after the first time I ever saw you."

"And I know is probably going to sound a little silly," she began, her cheeks reddening.

"What?" Harry set his empty glass down and wrapped his other arm around her.

"When I was little and I used to picture myself getting married, I always saw myself in this beautiful white dress," she said, blushing. "I know we're supposed to wear dress robes, but I...I'd really like to wear a wedding dress. I'd still like it to be a wizarding wedding, but I'd really like to wear a dress."

"Anything you want," Harry said. "How will your relatives react to a wizarding ceremony? Aren't they all Muggles?"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "You're right. I hadn't thought about that!"

Harry kissed her forehead. "You mean I thought of something before you did? What's the world coming to?"

"Don't get used to it," Hermione teased.

He shook his head. "I like it when you get all competitive..."

"I was thinking the same thing about you just now," she said, leaning in for a kiss.

Harry let his lips linger on hers. "I still can't believe we're going to get married."

"We are," she said, loosening his tie.

"Next year, we're going to be married," Harry said.

"Any ideas for the honeymoon?" she asked.

"Not yet," Harry said. "Anyplace in particular you've been dying to go?"

"Some place warm," she said thoughtfully.

"It'll be warm here that time of year," Harry teased. "What about Antarctica?"

Hermione's nose scrunched up. "No, thank you. What about you? Where do you want to take me?"

"A hotel room," Harry ran his hand down her arm.

"A hotel room, eh?" she asked, laughing. "Okay...well, you may need to narrow it down a bit."

"Oh come on, any hotel room will do," Harry began to kiss the side of her neck. "That's all we'll likely see on a honeymoon."

"Mmm," she said as his tongue tickled her neck. "That's not necessarily true. We could go somewhere that has loads of museums and old relics and...Mmhmm....."

"Why would you want to go somewhere like that on a honeymoon?" Harry scoffed.

As Harry pulled one of the straps of her dress down, Hermione found herself asking the same question. "I-I don't know..."

"Me either," Harry kissed her skin as he bared it. "I love this dress you know..."

"You do?" Hermione asked huskily.

"I do," Harry pulled the other strap off. "But I like you in nothing even better."

Hermione smiled. "I like you that way as well."

"Well by all means then," Harry brought her hands to his shirt. "Undress me..."

With a wicked grin, Hermione undid his tie and made quick work of his buttons. She said a silent prayer that there would be no interruptions, no unexpected guests.

"Will we make it upstairs?" Harry groaned as she raked her nails over his chest.

"I don't know," she whispered. "Want to chance it?"

"Not really," Harry pulled her dress down, his lips attacking her skin.

Hermione fell back onto the couch and Harry eased himself on top of her. "Need you...now," she said in between kisses.

Harry felt her hands go to the snap on his trousers. She tugged it open and he helped her pull them off. He yanked at her knickers, sending the last pieces of clothing flying to the floor.

He kissed her again as he slowly entered her and Hermione wrapped her arms around his back, wanting him to be as close as humanly possible.

Harry groaned again as she pushed against him. "Hermione..." his breathing was hitched.

"Harry..." she said breathlessly as she felt herself being pushed to the edge.

He stared at her as she cried out. Just looking at her face made his heart beat even faster and the amazement at the fact that she had agreed to spend the rest of her life with him officially returned. "I just... love you... too damn much..." he groaned.

Hermione's eyes locked with his as he came and she felt him collapse beside her. They were both breathless and knackered.

"Wow..." Harry finally muttered.

"I know," she whispered.

"You are incredible," Harry pushed some stray hair off her sweaty forehead. "I'm a lucky bloke."

She smiled. "We're both lucky."

Harry picked her left hand up. "I'm really glad you like your ring,"

"I love my ring," she corrected. "I'm never going to take it off. Never."

"That's good," Harry nudged her ear. "You should have seen Neville... I dragged him around for two hours to find this."

"You did the same when he picked out Cho's ring," Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah but it only took him about a half hour to find one," Harry chuckled.

"Why'd it take you so long?' she asked.

"I had to find the perfect ring," Harry said as if she should have known that all along.

"You did," she said, admiring her ring yet again.

"Good," Harry kissed her gently.

Hermione closed her eyes and buried her face in his chest. "Sleepy," she murmured.

"Same here," Harry said. He tiredly sat up, bringing her with him as he wrapped a blanket around them both. "Come on you," he said, using his wand to extinguish the fire and candles.

"We're sleeping in tomorrow," she said with a yawn. "Let's not get up until it's time to go to my parents."

"Works for me," Harry said. She stumbled against him and he scooped her up.

"My hero," she said sleepily.

"Always," Harry kissed her lightly.

43. Chapter 43

A/N: Well we’re getting down to it- after this only two chapters left, so a week from tonight, you guys will have the whole story! Yay! Hehehe

Thanks for all your reviews so far you guys- you’ve all really been incredible! We’re glad you all enjoyed the proposal in the last chapter, but the final bit of drama starts in this one, so be ready! Gordon’s back with a vengeance!

Lavender looked around the room. Half of the family members there were ones she hadn't seen in years. "Aunt Elinore, did you tell Hermione that everyone was coming?" she whispered.

"Not exactly," Elinore admitted. "I just made a few phone calls and it kind of blew up from there."

"I guess," Lavender said. She felt sorry for Harry. He had no idea what he was coming into here.

Elinore smiled, but that smile quickly faded as a little boy ran past them carrying a box of crayons. Nicholas Granger was five-years old and an absolute menace. He was the son of Robert's brother Steven.

"Nicholas! Don't you dare write on my walls!" Elinore called out.

Lavender turned the other way so her aunt wouldn't see her laughing. She spied her boyfriend on the other side of the room talking to her grandmother.

"Lavender why don't you go and save Seamus from Grandma Millie. She's probably talking his ear off and I really need to keep an eye on Nicholas," Elinore said, already scanning the room for her nephew.

"All right," she said, already halfway across the room. "Hi Grandma," she slid in next to Seamus. "What are you all talking about here?" Seamus shot her a grateful look.

"Your young man here was just telling me about that resort you went to this past summer," Millie said. "And I was telling him about that hotel I worked at when I was a girl."

"Oh right," Lavender said. "Grandma, Nicholas was running by here and he was laughing because he said he managed to get by without giving you a hug hello. I think you should go prove him wrong," she smiled winningly.

Millie grinned. "That little boy is a charmer. It was nice chatting with you, Seamus."

She stood up and walked away and Seamus shook his head. "I see where you get your motor mouth from," he said teasingly.

"Hey," Lavender frowned. "I can easily get her back here you know."

"Sorry," he said quickly. "I didn't know you had such a large family."

"Sometimes I forget too," she giggled. "Honestly, I haven't seen some of my relatives in about two years. Most of them don't know about me and Hermione being witches," she lowered her voice to a whisper.

"I can understand that," Seamus said. "After all, I'm half and half. Most of my dad's side of the family has no idea I'm a wizard."

"Well... my mum's side is where my magic blood came from. I'm half and half too. Hermione's completely Muggle born though. I think they told her grandmother on her mum's side, but she died a few years back."

Seamus nodded. "It's nearly three now. I hope Harry's ready to meet the family."

"I don't think he knows how many people are here," Lavender said in the same low voice.

"If he did, he probably wouldn't come," Seamus joked.

"I wouldn't blame him," Lavender said, jumping to her feet as the doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" she called.

On the front steps, Hermione smiled and squeezed Harry's hand. "Relax, it's just my parents and Lavender," she said. "We've gotten together with them loads of times."

"I know but this time we're engaged," Harry said.

Hermione opened her mouth to respond, but the door opened and Lavender quickly stepped outside. She closed the door behind her.

"Lavender?" Hermione asked confused.

"I just wanted you guys to be prepared," Lavender said. "Hermione, your mum invited most of the family over to meet Harry."

Hermione laughed. "You're kidding, right?"

"I wish I was," Lavender said. "And yeah... Harry, so you know... they don't know about the Wizarding World. So you'd best be creative about what you're going to say."

"No reason to be nervous, eh?" Harry glared at Hermione.

Hermione frowned at him. "Don't look at me! I had no idea my mum was doing this!"

"She really only meant to have a few people but you know how things spread through the family," Lavender said to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Okay, we can do this, right?"

"I guess..." Harry seemed less convinced. "Thanks for the warning at least."

Hermione squeezed his hand as they followed Lavender into the house. Almost as soon as they walked inside, people descended upon them. Grandma Millie engulfed Harry in a huge bear hug.

"Hello..." Harry choked out. He looked to Hermione for help.

"Grandma," Hermione said trying not to laugh. "You're going to squeeze Harry to death!"

"It's very nice to meet you," the colour slowly returned to Harry's face.

"It's lovely to meet you, too," Grandma Millie said, tears flowing down her cheeks. She turned her attention to Hermione. "My sweet Hermione! I can't believe you're getting married!"

"Hi Grandma," Hermione hugged her. "It's a surprise to me too. It's still sinking in!"

Elinore broke through the crowd and smiled at Harry. "There's my future son-in-law!"

Harry smiled at her, glad for a more familiar face. "Good to see you," he gave her a hug.

"Good to see you," she said warmly. She turned to Hermione. "Let me see the ring!"

Hermione grinned at Harry and held out her left hand for inspection. "Isn't it gorgeous?" she asked.

"It's beautiful, sweetheart," Elinore said admiring it. "Good job, Harry!"

"Thanks," Harry replied, sliding an arm around his fiancée.

A rather gruff looking elderly gentleman came toward them. Hermione whispered in Harry's ear, "That's my grandfather on my mum's side. If you think my dad was scary, wait until you meet him."

Harry visibly paled as Hermione hugged the elderly man. "Hi," Harry offered his hand.

"This him?" the man said, without a smile.

"I'm Hermione's fiancé, Harry," His hand was still held up in front of him.

The man finally shook Harry's hand. "Malcolm Brown."

"It's very nice to meet you sir," Harry said, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Elinore didn't tell me what it was that you did for a living," Malcolm said gruffly. "How exactly do you plan on supporting my granddaughter?"

"Grandpa!" Hermione exclaimed, mortified.

"I'm... in law enforcement." Harry said, which wasn't exactly a lie. "I'm in training at the moment."

Malcolm nodded. "You make a decent living at that?"

Hermione put her head in her hands. "Yes, Grandpa. He does quite well. You're going to scare him off if you keep this up."

"It's all right," Harry said, finding a foothold. "Right now it's not the best, but I have quite an inheritance left to me by my parents and then my godfather. It helps while I'm still training and Hermione's still in school."

Malcolm stared at Harry for a few more moments before just walking away.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said. "If it makes you feel any better, he scares my dad half to death, too."

"That's a pretty amazing feat," Harry muttered.

"Everyone else is pretty much harmless," she said reassuringly.

"All right," Harry squeezed her hand. "Suppose I should get used to all these faces... I've never seen such a big family before, aside from Ron's that is."

"I haven't seen most of them in quite some time," Hermione commented. "Be on your toes for a little boy named Nicholas. He's an absolute terror."

"That one?" Harry asked as a small blur tore by them, pushing Hermione into his side.

"That would be him," Hermione laughed. She watched as Harry took in the various members of her family. "Feel free to back out on me anytime."

"Right," Harry grinned at her. "Couldn't leave you if I tried, you know."

"Good answer," she said, kissing his cheek. "There's my dad!"

"Let's go say hi," Harry took her hand again.

Hermione led Harry over to her father, who gave her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"Congratulations, sweetheart," Robert said, smiling at her. "And to you as well, Harry."

"Thank you," Harry shook his hand. "And thanks for the pep talk the other day."

"Good to see it worked out," Robert said. "Did you meet Malcolm yet?"

"Yes," Harry answered. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"I don't think he cares too much for me, either," Robert said with a laugh. "I try and stay away from him as much as I can."

"Right," Harry grinned. "I'll keep that in mind."

Hermione surprised them both by giving them both a group hug. She'd just been so touched by the friendly banter going back and forth between the two most important men in her life.

"I think she's getting emotional," Harry teased. "Is that a tear I see Hermione?"

"No," she said softly, letting them go. "I just had something in my eye."

"Uh huh," Harry said.

Robert exchanged an amused look with Harry, that didn't go unnoticed by Hermione. "So I guess this means that now you'll be teaming up with each other to give me a hard time?" she asked.

"Probably," Harry joked.

"I'm just glad I'll finally have someone to balance things out a bit," Robert said with a grin. "I was pretty much alone in the Estrogen Ocean with Elinore, Hermione and Lavender."

Harry laughed loudly. "That's what it's like whenever Lavender comes over. Seamus and I just try to stay out of their way. It'll probably get worse now as they plan out the wedding."

"Speaking of which, Lavender and Elinore went out first thing this morning to buy the latest bridal magazines," Robert said, rolling in his eyes.

"Oh no," Harry said. "They're starting already?"

"What's wrong with that?" Hermione had her hands on her hips.

"You've only been engaged a day," Robert pointed out.

"That may be true, but you still have to plan," Hermione said defensively. "I remember how Cho was when she and Neville were planning their wedding. She was so organized. I hope that ours can go as smoothly as theirs did and it won't if we don't start planning now."

"Well sweetheart," Robert began. "Cho's wedding was also quite small. Your mother isn't about to let you have a tiny wedding."

"I wouldn't think so considering how many people are in the house at the moment," Hermione mused.

"What's this I hear about a small wedding?" Elinore joined them. "Hermione..."

"W-we hadn't really settled on the size actually," Hermione stammered.

"Well don't go thinking it's going to be small," Elinore warned her.

"But-," Hermione tried to say, but her mother cut her off.

"None of that," Elinore said. "You're our only daughter and we have to spoil you sweetheart."

"Just don't go overboard," Hermione said, realising as she said it that her words were falling on deaf ears.

Lavender watched them from across the room. She was happy for Harry and Hermione, almost deliriously happy in fact... but part of her was also quite envious. Hermione had two parents who were over the moon about her engagement, and while Lavender knew she was nowhere near that step with Seamus, she still wished her parents were alive so she could go and tell them things about her boyfriend. It wasn't that her aunt and uncle weren't wonderful, because they were... but it just wasn't the same. "Excuse me for a moment," she said to her grandmother. "I have to use the loo..." she ducked out of the room before tears could well up in her eyes.

Seamus had seen Lavender from across the room and when he'd seen her leave the room, he knew she was upset. He excused himself and nearly sprinted across the room after her. He finally found her upstairs in her bedroom. She was lying on her bed with her back to him.

"Lavender?" he asked, as he stood in the doorway.

"Seamus!" Lavender jumped. "What are you doing up here?" she tried to hide the fact that she was crying.

"I was worried about you," he said softly. "You looked upset."

"No I'm all right," Lavender was still turned the other way.

"You're a terrible liar," he said, stepping further into the room.

"I know," Lavender replied, letting her hair fall over her shoulders so it hid her face. "I'll be down in a minute."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

"Talk about what?" she asked.

He sat on the edge of her bed. "Talk about why you're crying?"

Lavender finally looked up. "I'm just being stupid," she attempted a laugh.

He tilted her chin so she would look at him. "Lav? Is it your parents?"

"Yeah," her face crumpled again and Seamus pulled her into his arms. "It's just times like this I miss them a lot. I wish they were here so I could tell them all about you."

"I wish they were here so I could tell them what a great daughter they have," he said, holding her tightly. "And how much I love her and how talented and great she is."

Lavender sniffed as she buried her face in his shoulder. "You really know just what to say don't you?" she asked.

"Not all the time," he said with a laugh.

"Well most of the time then," she kissed his cheek. "I guess I'm just jealous... not in a bad way... but you can see how excited Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore are about Hermione getting married. And I just wish that my parents were still around so that I could have the same situation someday."

He nodded. "I wish I could do something to make you feel better. I can't imagine what this has been like for you. I would have asked you about it sooner, but your aunt told me it’s always been hard for you to talk about. I was just waiting for you to come to me..."

"No it's all right," Lavender still held onto him. "She's right... I never did talk about this much."

"Whenever you're ready, I'll listen," he whispered, kissing the top of her head.

"Sooner or later," Lavender looked up at him. "Thank you,"

"You're welcome," he said. "So you ready to face the masses again?"

"Sure," she replied.

"I hope you don't take this the wrong way," he said, helping her up. "But your grandfather is one scary bloke."

She burst out laughing. "You should go talk to Uncle Robert about that. I saw him giving Harry the third degree earlier as well.”

"He kept asking me what I did for a living and if I made good money at it," Seamus said. "When I told him I was a film student, you would have thought I said I was a burglar or something."

"Aye, he only respects you if you're rolling in the money," Lavender shook her head. "Honestly..."

He kissed her softly, cutting her off.

"Oh..." her eyes were glassy when they pulled apart. "What was that for?"

"For being so amazing," he answered simply. "And because I didn't dare do it front of your grandfather."

"I see," Lavender teased. She pulled him close and kissed him again.

*** *** ***

Harry leaned his head back against the sofa. "I don't ever want to go through that again," he whined. The last of Hermione's extended family had just left, and not a moment too soon. Malcolm had given Harry the third degree like a drill sergeant and he wondered if Hermione's grandfather was related in some way to Thackeray.

"You'll have to go through it again at the wedding," Lavender pointed out in a sing-song voice. "And family get-togethers, too."

Hermione shot her cousin a dirty look. "Not helping matters, Lav."

"At least you didn't have that demon seed Nicholas pour paint on your head," Seamus grumbled. "That kid is a pain in the a-"

"SEAMUS!" Lavender interjected.

"Where on earth did he get paint?" Harry wondered as Hermione rested her head on his shoulder.

"We're repainting my study and Nicholas wandered in there and found a few of the paint cans," Robert explained.

Hermione hid her smile. "At least you were able to use magic to charm it off. Imagine if you were a Muggle." she said.

Seamus nodded. "That kid isn't coming to the wedding, is he?"

"I thought we might use him as the ring bearer," Hermione teased.

Harry and Seamus both looked at Hermione as if she'd grown a second head. "Please tell me you're kidding," Harry said.

"What?" Hermione started to laugh.

"Watch it, Hermione," Lavender said laughing. "He just might take the ring back..."

"He wouldn't dare," Hermione snuggled closer to her fiancé.

"You're right," Harry said, pulling her close. "I mean if I can survive your grandfather..."

"That's the spirit Harry," Robert joked. "Like I said, it's been over twenty years and he STILL doesn't like me and I've survived."

"Robert!" Elinore scolded him. "My father likes you just fine!"

"Come on Ellie," Robert replied. "You know he just puts up with me because we were married."

"That isn't true," Elinore said, shaking her head. "The way you carry on you'd think he was some sort of a monster."

Robert caught Harry's eye and grinned. "Well let's ask the new recruit. What do you think of Malcolm?"

"Uh," Harry said, taken aback. He certainly didn't want to insult Hermione and Lavender's grandfather and Elinore's dad. If he said what he really thought, he'd have all three women on his case. "He's um...well, he's..."

"Dad stop it," Hermione butted in. "Grandpa just needs to warm up."

"Warm up?" Robert said, shaking his head. "Your grandfather looks at me most of the time as if I'm something he picked off of his shoe. Ellie, you know it's the truth. I swear, if I ever acted like he did..."

Hermione and Lavender both started to laugh. "Right Uncle Robert. Have you already forgotten how you believed Vernon Dursley about Harry last summer?"

"That was completely different," Robert said defensively. "I didn't really know Harry then."

"Right," Hermione replied, squeezing Harry's arm. She noticed he was looking slightly uncomfortable so she decided to change the subject. "We're thinking of a June wedding..."

"THIS JUNE?" Lavender squealed. "That’s not much time, but I'm sure if we really bogged down, we could plan it in a couple of month’s time. Still, I would have thought you'd have wanted much more time to plan things out because you plan things out so meticulously... what?"

"Next June Lav, take a breath." Harry shook his head.

"Oh, that's much better," Lavender said, smiling at them. "I tend to get a bit carried away. Sorry."

"We know," Seamus joked.

"Shut it, you," Lavender said, poking him. She looked at her boyfriend. "When are you going to tell them about the other party we planned for them?"

"You have a party planned for us?" Hermione asked.

"It's nothing fancy, of course," Seamus said. "We just thought it'd be a few of your closest friends. Ron and Luna volunteered their place. It's Monday evening at seven, if that's okay with the two of you?"

"That's so sweet of them!" Hermione grinned.

"Aye, that's really nice." Harry said. "We'll definitely be there."

"Fantastic," Lavender said, pleased. She hugged her cousin. "I can't believe you're getting married!"

"I still can't believe it either," Hermione laughed. "I figured I'd ask Luna and Cho to be bridesmaids as well. I really don't think I need an enormous wedding party."

"Hermione, you're going to have a big wedding," Elinore chided. "You're going to need at least seven bridesmaids. It's a shame Cho's baby isn't older. We could have used her for the flower girl."

"Seven?" Hermione asked incredulously. "I only have three close girlfriends. Mum, I don't know who else I could ask..."

"Seven is a perfect number," Elinore said defensively. "Anything more would be tacky and pretentious."

"I think anything more than four is tacky," Hermione disagreed.

"What about those two other girls you and Lavender roomed with at school?" Elinore continued, ignoring Hermione. "What were their names?"

"Suzette and Magda," Lavender replied. She started to laugh. "Hermione! Do you remember how Suzette couldn't say your name to save her life? She used to call you Minnie! Do you remember that?"

"I'd forgotten until now," Hermione replied dryly. "Mum, honestly... I'm not going to make some random girls my bridesmaids! It's an honour for my close girlfriends."

"They aren't some random girls, Hermione," Elinore said with a laugh. "You roomed with those girls for seven years. I'm sure they wouldn't mind standing up for you."

"And I haven't talked to them once since we left school," Hermione replied. "And I tried to avoid them as much as possible until we left."

"Ellie," Robert said, putting a hand on his wife's shoulder. "Why don't you and I clean up in the living room? We don't have to decide anything right now. The wedding's over a year away."

Hermione shot a grateful look at her father as he led her mother out of the room. "Bother, I don't know why she's insisting on those two... things from Beauxbatons!"

"Suzette wasn't that bad," Lavender said. "Magda was a bit of a terror and she had that facial hair problem."

"Right," Hermione shivered.

"She called you Minnie?" Harry couldn't help asking. He tried not to laugh, but Seamus wasn't helping matters.

"Like that Minnie Mouse from that Muggle park, Disney?" Seamus chortled.

Hermione threw a tea towel at his head.

"What was that for?" Seamus ducked and caught it.

"You know very well what it was for," Hermione said, sinking down in her chair. "Mum is going to be relentless these next few months."

"Aye she is," Harry said. "Maybe we should elope," he joked.

"Don't tempt me," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Don't you even think about that," Lavender scolded them.

"I wouldn't," Hermione said smiling at her cousin. "We just need to find a way to talk Mum out of planning this as the social event of the century."

"It'll all come around," Harry squeezed her hand.

"You're right," Hermione said, leaning in for a kiss. "At the end of the day, all that will matter is that it’s you and me standing up in front of our family and friends and saying our vows. Nothing else will matter to me."

"Right," Harry kissed her back. "We should probably get going. There are a few things I have to look over before training tomorrow."

"Let me guess," Seamus said, scratching his chin. "Hermione's legs, her arms, her stomach, her..."

"SEAMUS!" Lavender said, hitting him hard on the arm.

Harry grinned wickedly. "I've told you all this before, I have no shame so don't tempt me."

"How about you and I go visit Malcolm Brown and see what he has to say about it?" Seamus countered. "I'm sure he'd love to hear what you do to his granddaughter."

"At least I'm not too scared to kiss Hermione in front of him like you are with Lavender," Harry challenged.

"You would have been if you'd heard what he said about you after you did it," Seamus shot back. "What was it that he said? Oh yes, now I remember? The 'no-good, whippersnapper who thinks he can molest my granddaughter in her own parents' home', that's what he said."

"Was that before or after the grope?" Harry returned.

"All right boys," Hermione broke in.

"He started it," Harry pointed out.

"Aye he did but be the mature one Harry," Hermione rolled her eyes, sharing a similar look with her cousin.

"To be perfectly honest, Grandpa doesn't like either one of you," Lavender said. "But, he didn't like my dad. He doesn't care for Uncle Robert. So, I'd say the two of you were in good company."

"So let's just leave it at that," Hermione said, seeing Harry and Seamus open their mouths to start off another round.

"Okay," Seamus said, standing up. "I should probably get going. I have an early start tomorrow."

"Stick around for just a little while?" Lavender asked. "I promise to make it worth your while," she whispered in his ear.

"In front of your aunt and uncle?" he asked her.

"They'll be turning in soon," Lavender said conspiratorially.

"All right that's our cue to go," Harry grabbed Hermione's hand.

"Right," Hermione said, standing up. "So I guess we'll see all of you tomorrow then?"

"Seven at Ron and Luna's," Lavender replied.

Hermione nodded and gave Seamus and then Lavender a hug. "Try and talk Mum out of the whole Suzette and Magda bridesmaid idea if you can, Lav."

"I will," Lavender said. "I've got your back Hermione."

"Thanks, Lav," Hermione said, hugging her again. She pulled her cousin away from Harry and Seamus. "Were you okay today? You looked a bit sad earlier and I was worried about you."

"I'm all right," Lavender wrapped her arms around herself. "I just have a few times when we're all gathered together that I miss my mum and dad is all."

"I miss them, too," Hermione said, tearing up a bit. "They'd have been really proud of you, you know that right?"

"I know," Lavender smiled at her. "Thanks."

Hermione gave her one last hug. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Lav."

"Same here," Lavender hugged her back.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Hermione asked her, tears shining in her eyes. She was so happy about the engagement, but she felt sad that so many people wouldn't be there to share in her joy--Lavender's parents, Harry's parents, Sirius Black.

"Yeah, it'll be fun and we can really start planning." Lavender replied as Harry slid his arm over her cousin's shoulders.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

She nodded and followed Harry out of the kitchen and into the sitting room so she could say goodbye to her parents.

"Leaving so soon?" Robert asked, standing as they walked into the room.

"Yeah, we've got some things to do for school and training," Harry answered. "Thank you for today... it was interesting at least." he grinned at them.

"You were able to see what you were getting yourself into," Robert teased, shaking Harry's hand. "And tell me the truth, Harry? I wasn't as bad as Malcolm, was I?"

"If I tell you the truth where does that put me?" Harry joked.

Robert laughed. "I always do appreciate the truth. I'm a grown man, Harry. I can take it."

Elinore scoffed. "Harry, love... take it from me, he's as bad as he was twenty years ago."

Harry laughed. "On that note, I think I'll leave while I'm ahead or behind or ...I think we'll just go."

"Right," Hermione kissed her parents goodbye. "Finally..." she smiled up at him a few minutes later. “I thought we'd never get out of there."

"Want to get me all alone, do you?" he asked cheekily.

"Of course I do," Hermione said. "Every night I want to get you alone."

He softly kissed her and as he pulled away, he pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not all that crazy about you going to classes tomorrow. I don't like you being alone with him."

"I won't be alone with him," Hermione reassured him. "I'm going in early to talk to my professor and then I'll find another seat somewhere in the classroom."

"Good," Harry said, glad that she wasn't upset about him being overprotective. "Promise me you'll get someone to walk you out, too. I don't want to take any chances with him."

A week ago Hermione would have blown off Harry's concern but now she smiled at him. "I promise. And if I can't find anyone, I'll owl you, how does that sound?"

"Great," he said, leaning in and kissing her neck. "But you know what sounds even better?"

"What's that?" she asked her eyes half closed.

"You...me...bathtub," he said, deftly slipping his hand under her shirt. "How does that sound to you?"

"Fabulous," Hermione said. "But if you keep doing that under my shirt then you're going to have to carry me home..."

Harry laughed and then before she knew what he was doing, he picked her up and swung her over his shoulder. "Let's go home, Miss Granger."

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione walked out of the bathroom, wrapped in a towel. She'd awoken first and thought she'd run to the bakery before Harry woke up and surprise him with pastries, but he'd surprised her in the shower and all thoughts of breakfast were soon forgotten.

He came up behind her and tickled her as they fell back onto the bed. "Harry," Hermione said giggling. "You're certainly in a playful mood this morning."

"I can't help it," Harry grinned at her. "The most gorgeous woman in the world agreed to marry me this weekend. I have loads to be happy about."

"Gorgeous, eh?" she asked. "You don't have to try so hard, Harry. You've already got me."

"I'm not trying, I'm just being truthful," Harry kissed her softly.

She touched his cheek. "You are the best thing that's ever happened to me. You've made me so happy."

"Same here," Harry replied. They kissed again for a few minutes before reluctantly getting off the bed. "So are you sure you don't want me to walk you to class?" he asked, pulling his robes on over his jeans and jumper.

"I'll be fine," she said giving him a reassuring smile. "Do you think we should dress up for tonight or is it going to be casual?"

"Casual probably," Harry replied.

Hermione slid into a pair of khaki trousers and a brown jumper. "I'll probably just meet you at Ron and Luna's. I've got a meeting with my faculty advisor at six."

"To go over your project?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione said, performing a drying charm on her hair. "And my plans for next term."

"Right," Harry stepped over and buried his face in her hair while his arms circled around her.

"You don't want to let me go, do you?" she asked, teasingly.

"No I don't," Harry replied. "I wish it was Friday again so we could have the whole weekend in front of us."

"We've got the rest of our lives in front of us," Hermione reminded him.

"I know," Harry replied. "I'm just selfish enough to hole you away from the rest of the world."

"I would like nothing more than to stay here with you all day," she said softly, "but I really need to get going if I want to meet with my professor before class."

"All right," Harry conceded. "We'll pick it back up later,"

"You bet your arse we will," Hermione said, throwing some books into her bag. "How about you? How's your day look?"

"Not too bad, I just hope Lupin isn't angry with me for skipping training on Friday." they went downstairs together.

"He won't be," Hermione said. "And hopefully he'll have some news on this Andrew Murphy."

"Yeah, the sooner they can pin it on Gordon, the better off we'll all be," Harry muttered.

Hermione shivered. "I still can't get over all of this..."

"You'll be all right," Harry said. "I'm not about to let him interfere anymore."

"I really am sorry for not listening to you sooner," she said hugging him.

"Don't worry about it now," Harry said, pressing his lips to her head briefly. "I'm just glad... you finally did."

"Me too," she said, not yet ready to leave the warmth of his arms.

"Come on, let's grab some coffee and I'll walk you to class," Harry cajoled.

Hermione smiled. Although she'd assured him she'd be okay, she liked the idea of him walking her to class. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with him. "That sounds brilliant," she said, slinging her bag over her shoulder and taking his hand.

"Great," Harry kissed her quickly and then turned to search for the travel coffee mugs that Elinore had given them when they moved in.

"They're in the cupboard by the stove," Hermione called out to him.

"Right," Harry dug into the cabinet as Hermione got the coffee ready.

"This is the first time I've ever been walked to a class by a boyfriend," she commented. "Did you walk many girls to classes at Hogwarts?"

"Not really," Harry said as they left the cottage. "I mean... I didn't really have the time to concentrate on girls at that point."

"So I guess I'm the first girlfriend you've walked to class," she said with a smile. "Correction, your first fiancée you've walked to a class."

"First and only fiancée, thank you," Harry pulled her closer.

"Right," Hermione said with a laugh.

They reached the University campus too quickly for Harry's taste. "So do you think he's in there?" he asked in a low voice at the classroom door.

Hermione shook her head. "Lately he's been arriving right before class starts. In the past, he'd be the first one here."

"Really," Harry shook his head. "Well... is the professor at least there? If you're alone I'll wait until someone else shows up."

Hermione peeked into the classroom and saw her professor as well as two other students inside. "My professor's inside and there's no sign of Gordon."

"All right," Harry replied. "So I'll see you at the party then?"

"Yes," she said, looping her arms around his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry kissed her briefly. "Remember, owl me if you need anything at all okay?"

"I will," she whispered, squeezing his hand. "Don't you work too hard today. We're going to dance up a storm tonight."

Harry laughed. "That we are," he kissed her again and watched her go into the classroom.

Hermione went inside and smiled warmly at her professor.

"Professor Lambert?" she asked. "Could I have a word with you before class?"

"Of course Hermione," he replied. "What can I do for you?"

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "I was wondering if I could change partners for the assignment."

Lambert raised his eyebrows. "Is there something wrong with your partner?"

"I just think we have different ideas about how the project should go and I'd feel more comfortable with someone else," Hermione lied.

"Well..." Lambert pulled out his book. "It looks like everyone else has a partner... ah yes; Anna Golden is the only one without. I gave her the option of working as a trio or alone."

"That'd be great," Hermione said with a sigh of relief. "I really appreciate this, Professor."

Lambert nodded to the redhead, who was sitting near the front of the room engrossed in a book. "You'll have to okay it with her, and tell Gordon Devereaux to come speak with me. I normally don't allow this sort of thing but you're an exceptional student Hermione."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said, not relishing the fact that she'd have to speak to Gordon.

Lambert nodded and Hermione turned and froze at the sight of the person she least wanted to see entering the classroom. She ducked her head and practically ran to Anna's desk. "Hi Anna... can I talk to you a moment?"

"Of course," Anna said, smiling at her. "What's on your mind, Hermione?"

"I have a huge favour to ask you," Hermione sat down, turning her back to Gordon. "Would you mind if I switched partners so that you and I can work together?"

"But I thought you were working with Gordon Devereaux?" Anna asked confused.

"He and I... found out we don't work so well together," Hermione replied. "And Lambert said if it was okay with you, then we could partner up. I promise I won't load extra work on you or anything."

Anna nodded. "That'd be great."

Gordon watched as Hermione talked with Anna and he couldn't wait to talk to her and see how she was doing. He'd of course play the supportive friend and listen to all about how Potter moved out and how she was coping. He had made plans all weekend long for them and had a feeling that perhaps he wouldn't need the binding spell after all.

"OH MY GOD!" Anna squealed. "Hermione!"

"What?" Hermione was startled.

"What is that on your left hand?" Anna asked loudly. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Oh," Hermione blushed lightly. "Yes," she couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face. "Harry asked me to marry him on Saturday night."

"Oh, Hermione!" Anna exclaimed dreamily. "How romantic!"

Gordon had been about to approach Hermione when he heard her words and he saw the ring. He froze in place. This wasn't supposed to have happened. They were supposed to have broken up. They weren't supposed to be engaged.

"It really was," Hermione said. "He took me out for a fancy dinner, and then we went for a walk in a nearby park and he just dropped down on one knee and asked."

"Congratulations," Anna said with a broad smile.

Gordon felt as if he'd been punched in the stomach. Slowly, he backed away from Hermione and walked out of the classroom.

Hermione felt him leave but gave him no attention. She would tell him after class that she was no longer working with him and leave it at that. "We're hoping for a June wedding next year," she said, forcing Gordon from her mind.

Once outside of the classroom, Gordon walked down the hall and punched the wall with his fist. This couldn't be happening, he thought miserably as he slid down and tears stung his eyes.

Hermione turned and faced forward as Lambert began class. Gordon had not yet come back in and while she worked hard to concentrate on the lesson, her mind wandered to what he could be doing.

Gordon couldn't believe how stupid he'd been. She'd never come to him willingly...not as long as Potter was around. There was only one way. Anger welled up in him as he waited outside the classroom for her to come out. As he waited, scenes of her and Potter came flashing into his mind. Over and over again, he pictured the two of them laughing at him.

Hermione twirled her engagement ring nervously around her finger as class ended. She spoke with Anna for a few minutes, drawing up a quick schedule for them to work before grabbing her things. She was hoping to make a quick getaway to her next class and put off talking to Gordon as long as possible.

Gordon saw her approaching from his perch just outside an empty classroom. Seizing his opportunity, he made sure no one was watching and he grabbed her arm and dragged her inside.

"Hey!" Hermione said angrily.

"How could you do this, Hermione?" Gordon asked her angrily. "How could you do this to me? You were supposed to break up with him!"

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione rubbed the spot on her arm where Gordon had grabbed her. "You have no right to grab me like that!"

"He doesn't love you, Hermione," Gordon said, his tone much softer. "I tried to make you see that."

Hermione stared at him for a moment as something cold clenched in her stomach. "Merlin... everyone was right about you." she crossed her arms over her chest. "You HAVE been trying to break up me and Harry. On top of everything else you've done Gordon!"

"I only did it because I love you, Hermione," Gordon tried to explain. "I always have. Everything I did, I did for you. My sweet, innocent Hermione...and he tainted you. He changed you. But, it wasn't your fault. I don't blame you."

"Get away from me!" Hermione snapped when Gordon reached for her. "You're sicker than I thought Gordon. I'm not yours! I've never been yours and I never WILL BE yours."

Gordon laughed and a cold, detached look came over his face. "That's where you're wrong, Hermione. I've found a place where you will be mine. You will ALWAYS be mine and you won't even remember his name. It'll be like he never existed for you."

"What are you going to memory charm me like you did your parents?" Hermione shot back, watching him flinch. "That's right Gordon. I found out about it. How could you hurt people that were only trying to help you? Not to mention Andrew Murphy! What did he do that made him deserve to be the way he is now?"

"He was going to turn me in," Gordon answered. "I couldn't have him ruin what I'd worked so hard for. It was the same with my parents." He stood in front of the door and a wistful look came over his face. "I do hate that they won't get the chance to meet our children. I always had my heart sent on two...a boy and a girl. How about you?"

Hermione recoiled. "We will never be together," she said through clenched teeth. "I'm engaged to Harry, Gordon, HARRY."

"STOP SAYING HIS NAME!" Gordon yelled at her. "STOP SAYING HIS NAME!"

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed back. He lunged at her and she ran to the side and for the door.

Gordon was too quick for her. He pointed his wand at her back and yelled out "STUPEFY!"

Hermione slammed against the door and slumped down, unconscious. Anna was passing by when she heard the thump and knocked on the door.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, peeking around the frame. She spotted Hermione on the floor and Gordon Devereaux leaning over her. "Oh Merlin... is she all right? What happened to her?" she asked in concern.

"She's fine," Gordon hissed. "Why won't everyone just leave us alone?"

Anna stared at him. "What do you mean she's fine, she's passed out!"

"She'll be fine," Gordon said, pulling Anna abruptly into the classroom and shutting the door behind him. "I'm really sorry to do this, Anna. But, you've left me with no choice. I'm not going to wipe away all your memories, just this one."

"What?" Anna pulled away in alarm.

Gordon pulled his wand from behind his back. "I'm sorry, Anna...Obliviate!"

44. Chapter 44

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys- portkey has been moving it’s server to a bigger machine so the site was down for a little while. But here you go! And thank you ALL for the slew of reviews we got last chapter. Suffice to say… you’ll never hate Gordon more than you do in this chapter.

And if you thought last one was a cliffie…. (insert evil laughter here)

Cho held Chiaki closely as Alice stroked the baby's soft head. Chiaki cooed in her sleep, oblivious to everyone around her. "She's only a few months old," Cho said, knowing Alice Longbottom had no idea what she was saying. "Neville's such a wonderful father."

Alice was humming a tune that Cho didn't recognize, but Neville had told her that his mother liked to do this when she was happy.

She glanced at her watch and realised she'd already been there for over a half hour. "I've really got to go," Cho said, leaning forward to kiss her mother in law on the cheek. "It was nice to see you again Alice. You too Frank..."

Frank was sitting on the edge of his bed and he gave Cho a weak smile and slowly got to his feet. He made a timid motion toward Cho and the baby, but then backed away.

"It's okay," Cho said encouragingly.

Frank again slowly approached them and bent his head down and kissed Chiaki on the forehead.

Cho smiled at them both. "It was good seeing you again," she said softly, scooping up her bag. "I'll be back next time with Neville..."

Alice nodded happily and clapped her hands together.

Cho felt good as she left the hospital. She knew Alice and Frank would never be the people they once were but at least they recognised Neville, and her, and Alice seemed to absolutely adore Chiaki. She grinned down at her sleeping baby. Being a mother was definitely not something she had planned for this time in her life, but she wouldn't have changed it for anything now. "You're going to spend the evening with your Gran, love." she said softly.

"You're not going to let your daughter go to the wild party, eh?" Luna asked, coming up behind Cho.

"Merlin!" Cho jumped. "Don't scare me like that!"

"I'm sorry," Luna apologized with a laugh. "I was interviewing someone in the hospital and I saw you and Chiaki and thought I'd stop you and say hello."

"Hello," Cho returned dryly. "And no, I'm not bringing Chiaki tonight. We thought about it but she'd probably just sleep the whole time so we're leaving her with Gran."

“Hopefully, this engagement party will go much better than the one we had for you and Neville," Luna said, still shuddering at the scene she and Ron had made.

"Come on, it wasn't bad," Cho said. "I mean, it got Ron to wake up and stop being a pissed wanker didn't it?"

"True," Luna said with a smile. "It certainly did. Ron and I had a bit of a row this morning though. I hid the food for the party from him and he thinks I don't trust him."

Cho laughed. "That's all right, I wouldn't trust him either. He's got a bottomless stomach."

"He does," Luna said grinning. "And Paddington's taken to sleeping in between us on the bed and Ron's none too pleased about that, either."

"Poor Ron," Cho laughed harder.

"Have you spoken to Hermione since the big news?" Luna asked. "I can't wait to see the ring Harry picked out."

"No, she and Harry were 'busy' all weekend," Cho replied. "Apparently Harry finally told her about Gordon as well."

"She finally listened to him?" Luna asked. "Cho, you wouldn't believe the things I found out about him."

"I heard," she said. "He's pretty awful."

"Hopefully, they'll be able to tie him into Andrew Murphy's disappearance and he'll get the help he needs," Luna said. "I'm just ready for the day when we can all put Gordon Devereaux behind us."

"Agreed," Cho said. "Well I'm off, I've got a class in an hour and I still have to drop Chiaki off. I'll see you tonight."

Luna kissed Chiaki's forehead and gave her friend's hand a squeeze. Luna didn't know why, but she felt a cold chill. "I-I'll see you tonight," Luna said quietly, trying not to alarm her friend.

"Okay," Cho suddenly looked at her strangely. "Are you all right? You look pale all of a sudden."

"Yeah," Luna said, nodding. "I'm fine. You better get going."

"All right," Cho said, thinking she would find out that evening. "See you at seven."

Luna watched her friend walk away and she had a feeling that perhaps she was just being paranoid after all the things she'd dug up about Gordon, but she felt as if something bad had just happened. She hoped that she was wrong.

*** *** ***

The party was in full swing well before the guests of honour arrived. Luna smiled as she set a tray of party food down on a table and said hello to Dean Thomas who was chatting with Seamus. So far so good, she thought to herself. All day long, she'd been unable to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

At least with setting up for the party, she'd been able to take her mind off her worries. Ron had told her not to worry and that nothing was going to wrong. She wanted to believe him.

"Ron?" she asked, coming up beside her boyfriend, who was standing in the corner, drinking some ale. "Where did you put Paddy?"

"He's in the bedroom," Ron scowled.

"You did put some water in there for him at least, didn't you?" Luna asked. "And some of that kibble he likes so much?"

"You know, I think you like him more than you do me," Ron's scowl grew. "He's a cheeky little bugger who gets whatever he wants."

"That's not true," Luna teased. "I love you both the same. Sometimes, he acts more mature than you do, however."

"Shut up," Ron replied. "And yes, I put some kibble in there and water. Ten Galleons says that when we let him out it'll be all over the room."

"Need I remind you that it was you who gave me Paddy?" she asked smiling at him.

"If I'd known what a devil he is I'd have picked another dog." Ron replied.

"Funny," Neville said, coming to join them. "That's what Luna says about you."

"Sod off Longbottom," Ron replied. "I'll exchange you the dog for Chiaki."

"I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world," Neville said, looking across the room at his wife, who was engaged in conversation with Lavender.

"I know, I know..." Ron replied. "But maybe once in awhile you'll let me take her instead of letting Harry hog her all the time."

"Harry at least will offer to change her nappies, unlike someone else I know," Neville said.

Luna laughed. "Don't blame him, Neville. He's still cheesed off about having to clean up after Paddy when we were house training him."

"Can we stop making fun of me already?" Ron whined. "What about Harry and Hermione. We're throwing them this engagement party and Luna wouldn't let me touch the food and they're not even bloody here yet!"

"You know what they're probably doing, don't you?" Neville asked, frowning. "You'd think they'd get tired of it every once in awhile or at least come up for air."

"You sound jealous," Cho joined her husband and friends.

"No, not at all," Neville said quickly. He turned around and looked at her. "I'm quite satisfied."

"That's what I thought," Cho smiled at him.

Dean, who'd been standing by the window, saw Harry walking toward the building. "Hey! Everyone! Harry's on his way up!"

"Finally," Ron replied.

"Ronald," Luna said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Promise me you will be on your best behaviour tonight and you will not say anything out of sorts? Remember how you were going to try and be tactful?"

"I said I'd try," Ron gulped the rest of his ale.

Luna patted his head. "Good boy."

Harry went up to his friends' flat, happy that the day was over and he could once again be with his fiancée. He knocked on the door and Luna immediately flung it open.

"Happy Engagement!" she exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"It's about time, Potter!" Ron called out behind her.

"Sod off Ron, I was running late. Lupin kept me after training to talk about what I missed on Friday." Harry replied, shrugging off his cloak. "Where's Hermione?"

"I thought she was coming with you," Luna said.

"No, we were supposed to meet here," Harry replied.

Lavender came up to give Harry a hug. "My cousin is never late. Someone mark the time and date down."

"Maybe she finally realised what a prat you are and ran away," Ron chimed in.

Lavender and Cho, who flanked Ron on both sides, promptly hit him hard in each arm.

"Ow!" Ron replied. "I was just kidding!"

"It's only 7:30," Cho said reassuringly to Harry. "She'll be here."

"She's never late though," Harry said.

"Was she coming straightaway from her classes?" Cho asked.

"She had a meeting with her academic advisor at six," Harry said. "But that wouldn't have lasted an hour and a half..."

"Have you ever seen Hermione once she gets talking about anything academic?" Lavender asked. "Harry, we'll be lucky if she shows up at all."

Harry frowned and Cho hugged him. "Come on Harry, you know she'll be here. You're engaged now!"

"Another one bites the dust," Seamus said. "Ron, we'd better watch out...you and I are going to be the only bachelors left."

Lavender and Luna both turned to stare at him. "And that's a bad thing Finnigan?"

"I didn't say that!" Seamus quickly said. "Hey! I thought this was a party? Someone should be dancing and we should all be drinking, right?"

"Aye and now that someone who is dancing will be you," Lavender grabbed her boyfriend.

"Me and my big mouth," Seamus said, reluctantly allowing her to pull him away.

Cho laughed and turned to say something to Harry, but he still wore that worried look on his face. "Harry?" she asked. "You're really worried, aren't you?"

"She's never late Cho," Harry said.

"It's probably like Lavender said," Cho said, hoping she was right. "You know how Hermione gets when she talks about her schoolwork. I'm sure her advisor is probably sitting at her desk and rolling her eyes wishing Hermione would shut up and let her go home." She squeezed his hand.

"I guess you're right," Harry relaxed a little. "Where's the baby?"

"With her Gran," Cho answered. "She was running a bit of a fever, but I think she's going to be okay."

Harry helped himself to some ale. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for her."

Cho nodded. "I'm ready to see this ring you picked out."

"You mean your husband didn't tell you about the two hours he spent with me while I dragged him around New Zealand to find it?" Harry teased.

"Yes, but he was rolling his eyes and was whining about it so I figured I'd get the real story from you," she said with a laugh. "Merlin...I can't believe it. I'm a mother and married and you---of all people---are engaged!"

"Come on, it's not that hard to believe is it?" Harry said. "Maybe the you being a mother part is..."

"Shut up!" she said, hitting him on the arm.

Harry smiled at her. "Things have certainly changed since this time last year..."

Just then, a girl Harry recognized as a friend of Hermione's from school, came up to offer her congratulations. "Hi, Harry. I guess Hermione was too busy planning for the party to come to afternoon classes, huh?" the girl said.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked. "She didn't go to her classes? I dropped her off at school this morning..."

The girl shook her head. "She and I have Charms and Transfiguration together in the afternoon and she wasn't in either of those today."

Harry turned to look at Cho as alarm flitted across her features. "Why wouldn't Hermione go to her classes?" he asked in confusion.

Cho was at a loss as to what to say and she could only shake her head at her best friend.

Harry tried to make sense of what he'd just been told. "I'm uh... I'm going to go see if she's at home. Maybe she went to kip or something and hasn't woken up."

"That's probably it," Cho said, hoping that it was. "I'll go with you."

"Okay," Harry set his drink down and grabbed his cloak. Cho told Neville where they were going and they headed out.

*** *** ***

Hermione groaned softly as her eyelids fluttered. Her head was absolutely killing her and she momentarily wondered what she'd done to make it ache so. She felt someone softly caressing her cheek and opened her eyes expecting to see Harry.

Instead she found herself face to face with Gordon Devereaux.

"You're so beautiful when you sleep," he said, smiling at her.

Hermione stared for a moment and then screamed and jerked her body away. The memory of that morning rushed back to her. "What the hell am I doing here?" she shouted, ignoring the stab of pain in her head.

"We won't be here for too long," Gordon promised. "I just have a few things to take care of before we leave."

"What the hell do you mean before we leave?" Hermione backed away to the wall, which was as far away as she could get. "I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"Yes, you are," Gordon said with a smile. "Don't worry, though. I've nicked a few of your things and you'll have plenty of clothes."

Hermione's jaw dropped disbelievingly. "Are you completely mad?" she asked. "I am not going ANYWHERE with you! And what do you mean you've nicked my things?" her eyes fell on a stack of clothes on the dresser. "YOU were the reason my things have been disappearing?"

Gordon nodded. He walked over to the dresser and picked up one of her jumpers. "I think this is one of my favourites. It really brings out the colour in your eyes."

"You're disgusting!" Hermione snapped.

"You won't think that for long," Gordon said, coming toward her. "I'm sorry that the room isn't all that nice. Andrew made a real mess of things and I didn't have much time to clean it up, but I...I didn't think I'd be taking you this soon. Don't worry about that ring. I took it off of you."

Hermione stared at her hand in horror. She hadn't noticed her engagement ring was gone. "Give it back," she demanded. "You have NO FUCKING RIGHT to touch me at all."

"I'll get you a much nicer one," Gordon said, ignoring her outburst.

Hermione started to shake. "Give me my ring back," her voice was trembling. "I'm leaving... I don't want to stay here with you...." she backed away as he came forward again.

"You can't leave," Gordon said, backing her against the door. He leaned precariously close. "You're fighting me now, but you'll see how happy we'll be. I won't try and change you like he did."

"No one changed me," Hermione's eyes darkened as she started to get angry. "Get away from me Gordon."

"I can't," Gordon whispered. He caressed her cheek. "I tried...I tried to stay away, but I couldn't. Don't you see, Hermione?" He pinned her arms against the door and smiled at her. "It's always been you. It's always going to be you. And you'll see...it's going to be me for you...."

"Let me go!" Hermione struggled. "You're not the one for me! Harry is! I love Harry and I HATE you!"

"No," Gordon said, trying to pin her against the door. "You don't love him. You don't love him. You just think you do." He looked at her and the desire to kiss her overtook him and he pressed his lips to hers.

Hermione gagged as he tried to force his tongue through her lips. He released her arms and she pushed him away as hard as she could but he was much stronger than she was.

"Don't fight me, Hermione," Gordon said, kissing her again.

Hermione pushed away, still gagging and when he opened her mouth again she took the opportunity to bite down hard on his lower lip.

"Ow!" Gordon said, pushing away from her and before he knew what he was doing, he slapped her hard against the face. "Do you see what you made me do?" he asked angrily, wiping the blood off of his lip. "I didn't want to hurt you, but you left me with no choice!"

"Get AWAY from me!" Hermione growled, holding her cheek. "I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you never touch me again!" she glared at him, her eyes narrowed into angry slits.

Gordon shook his head. "I'm going to leave you in here to think about what you just did," he said, looking disdainfully at her before walking out of the room and shutting it firmly behind him.

Hermione tried the door but it was locked. She sank down on the bed, still shaking. How in the world was she going to get herself out of this mess?

*** *** ***

Cho had just hung up talking with Hermione's parents when Harry came back to the cottage. He'd left a few minutes ago to see if he could find any sign of her at school. "Anything?" she asked hopefully.

"No," Harry was clearly upset and hanging onto himself by a thread. "Her professors haven't seen her since this morning and her advisor said she never showed up to her appointment." he sat down heavily. "And believe it or not, that's not even the worst news..."

"I don't know if I want to hear it," Cho said, sinking down on the sofa.

"A classmate of Hermione's was found in a room by her first class," Harry said. "She was memory charmed..."

"Oh no," Cho said. "Harry, you don't think..."

"Yeah," Harry said grimly. "Apparently not ALL her memories were wiped, not like Andrew or Gordon's parents. But the person that found her took her to St. Mungo’s. She can't remember anything from the past two weeks."

"It's got to be him," Cho said angrily. "He's the only logical suspect."

"I agree..." Harry jumped to his feet. "I'm going to find out where he lives and I'm going over there now. I know he's got her."

"Harry, I'm not letting you go there by yourself!"

"I've go to go Cho," Harry said. "I don't know what he's planning on doing..." he raked his hands back through his hair.

"Harry...," Cho said, already knowing that he was blaming himself for Hermione's disappearance. "This isn't your fault."

"How is it not my fault?" Harry demanded. "I let her go to class! I could have insisted that she stay home or I could have gone with her."

"And you and I both know she'd never have stood for it," Cho said, trying to reason with him. "You had no idea he'd try something like this!"

Harry's shoulders slumped. "No, I didn't..." he sat down hard on the sofa again. "What am I going to do?"

"You're going to keep a level head and not do anything irrational and you're going to bring her home," Cho said putting an arm around him.

Harry leaned into her as he desperately fought his fear. "Right," he said, his voice cracking. "I'm going over to the Ministry to report this. Will you get Neville for me from the party?"

Cho nodded. "I-I think you need to tell her parents, too. I didn't get into specifics with them, but her mother is really worried."

"All right," Harry said. They both got up and Cho gave him an impulsive hug. "I'll... I'll find her..." he said.

"I know you will," Cho said, trying to hold back her own tears.

*** *** ***

Hermione paced back and forth across the bedroom. She was tired but refused to fall asleep, and she also refused to drink any of the water or use the loo for fear of Gordon walking in on her. She'd never been so terror stricken as she had when she woke up and found him lying right next to her.

Discreetly, Hermione removed her locket from around her neck. Part of her was afraid to watch and see if Harry knew she was missing, although she was sure he had to know by now. She cracked it open and saw her fiancé heading down the pavement, although it was too dark to see where he was going. Harry had a determined look on his face and her heart leapt. He knew she was missing. He knew and he was going to find her!

Gordon's flat was a mess from all the research he'd been doing. He hoped to do some tidying up while Hermione rested. Deciding he should probably make her something to eat, he headed into the kitchen and had just pulled out some bread and mayonnaise when someone pounded at the door, startling him.

Harry hit the door as hard as he could. "Open the fucking door Devereaux!" he snarled.

Neville stood behind Harry and wanted to hold his friend back, but he knew that if the situation was reversed and they were looking for Cho, he'd be out for blood just like Harry.

Gordon walked over to the door where he was holding Hermione. He made sure the silencing charm he'd placed on the door was in place before calmly walking to the door and opening it. "Potter," Gordon said, sounding surprised. "Whatever brings you here?"

"Where the hell is she?" Harry snapped.

"Sorry?" Gordon asked.

"Where. Is. Hermione." Harry asked through clenched teeth, ready to slam his fist into Gordon's smug face.

"How would I know?" Gordon asked with a shrug.

"I think you DO know," Harry was growing angrier at the other man's coolness. "I know all about you, you fucking nutcase. All about your parents, and Andrew Murphy... and now you've got my fiancée holed up somewhere and I WANT TO KNOW WHERE!" he finished with a shout.

Hermione pressed against the door, trying desperately to hear what was going on. "Harry!" she screamed. "I'm here! I'm in here Harry!"

"Harry," Neville said, trying to hold his friend back, but Harry just shrugged him off.

"Hermione finally came to her senses, did she?" Gordon couldn't resist asking. ""I guess you find it hard to believe that she'd ever walk away from you willingly, isn't that right?"

"She'd never walk away from me," Harry returned coldly. "We're going to be married," his voice turned snide. "Why would she walk away from the person she said was the best part about her life?"

"I don't know why you're looking at me for answers," Gordon retorted. "You ought to look in the mirror if you want to know why she left you..."

Neville felt the urge to smack the smug, satisfied look off of Gordon's face. He couldn't believe the nerve of this bloke.

"She didn't LEAVE ME!" Harry roared, grabbing Gordon by the shirt and slamming him to the wall. A glass vase on the table shattered suddenly.

"Harry!" Neville said, trying to hold him back.

"You should listen to your friend, Potter," Gordon said with a cold laugh. "You wouldn't want to do anything to land yourself in jail, would you?"

"I'm not the one who's going to land up in jail," Harry's eyes took on a disturbing glow. "For the last time Devereaux, where is Hermione?"

"SHE'S NOT HERE!" Gordon shot back angrily. "Search the place if you want to. You won't find her here."

Harry was about to stomp down the hallway when Neville pulled him back. "Don't trust him Harry. You'll turn your back and he'll shoot you down."

"The Great Harry Potter afraid of me?" Gordon said with a cold laugh.

"Hardly," Harry snapped. "I'll fucking kill you if I find her here."

"You stay with him," Neville said to Harry. "I'll go and check the rest of his flat."

Harry stared at Gordon as he pulled his wand from his pocket and held it at him. "Fine," he said tightly.

Neville nodded and pulled his own wand out as he walked down the hall and checked the first door on the right which was a bathroom. The room directly opposite was Gordon's bedroom and it was just as messy as the living room. The room in the back of the flat was unlocked and Neville opened up the door slowly and saw that it was just a guest room. There was a single bed in the corner and a chest of drawers. The room looked as if no one had been in there for quite some time.

Harry never once took his eyes off Gordon Devereaux but he felt the hair on the back of his neck prickle, as if someone was calling out to him.

Hermione watched as Neville looked around the room and she wondered why he couldn't hear her screams or see her. What sort of spell had Gordon placed on the room? It was as if Neville couldn't see her. "NEVILLE!" she called out, reaching out to touch him, but her hand felt as if it hit a solid brick wall just before she could reach out for him. "I'M RIGHT HERE!!"

Neville wrinkled his brow. There was something very off about this room but he couldn't figure out what it was. He walked over to the bed- it was warm, as if someone had been lying on it recently.

"Nice scar on your lip there," Harry said in a taunting voice.

Gordon cursed himself for not doing some sort of concealing charm on that before he answered the door. "Nice scar on your forehead," he countered. "Too bad he couldn't finish the job."

Harry sneered and pushed his wand at him. "I'll shut you up permanently," he said.

Hermione's heart sank as Neville walked out of the room. "NO!" she cried out to him in vain. "NEVILLE!"

Neville shut the door behind him, but couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right about it. "I couldn't find anything," he said, coming back into the living room. "She's not here, Harry."

"She has to be," Harry said.

"Well, she's not," Gordon said, struggling out of Harry's grasp. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm a law-abiding wizard. You have no right to come barging into my home accusing me of something I didn't do. If I do see Hermione, I'll have to applaud her for having the courage to walk away from a lifetime of being your lapdog."

Before Harry realised what he was doing, and before Neville could stop him, his fist connected directly with Gordon's eye. "Fucking bastard," he spat. "I know you know where she is. And when I find out, we'll finish this."

Gordon rubbed at his eye and sunk against the wall. "You're superiors will hear about this," Gordon warned. "By the time I'm through with you, you won't even be able to mop floors at The Leaky Cauldron."

"Right," Harry snarled as Neville pulled him out.

"Good night, Harry," Gordon called out. "Have fun sleeping alone..."

*** *** ***

Lavender put a comforting arm around her Aunt Elinore. It was after two in the morning and they were all sitting in the living room wondering what in the world was going on and wishing someone would tell them…something. The only thing they knew for sure was that Hermione had never made it to the engagement party.

Robert had even tried calling the Muggle police, but they'd informed him that a person had to be missing for a full 24-hour time period before they could be considering "missing." Everyone's nerves were pretty much on edge and when the doorbell chimed suddenly, Lavender jumped in her seat.

"Did you find her?" she flung the door open hopefully.

Harry looked about as lost as Lavender had ever seen him and she knew without him saying a word that he hadn't. She ushered him inside.

"Harry?" Elinore said, her own eyes red from crying. "Please tell us what's going on!"

Harry sighed heavily. "There's... no sign of her." he barely recognised his own voice. "Neville's still at the Ministry. I told them I had to come here to... to tell you that..." Harry sat down hard on the sofa.

Fresh tears welled up in Lavender's own eyes. "This can't be. Just last night, we were all here having a good time and laughing and now..."

Robert patted his niece's shoulder. "We'll find her Lavender," his own voice was gruff and Harry knew he was having a hard time keeping his own tears at bay.

"We even went to Gordon Devereaux's flat," Harry said. "He's a bloody bastard and I know that he knows something about this..."

"Gordon?" Elinore asked, confused. "What on earth does he have to do with any of this?"

Lavender looked at her aunt. "Aunt Elinore, he's really horrible..." she told them about what he'd done to his parents. "And we all know he's fancying Hermione."

"He always seemed like such a sweet boy," Elinore said, shaking her head. "I can't believe he'd have done any of this..."

"Did you know about this?" Robert interjected angrily, glaring at Harry. "You knew all about this and you didn't do anything?"

"I just found out about it," Harry stood up abruptly. "And I told her about it and she was going to stay away from him! Hermione doesn't bode well with me making decisions for her all right?"

"Stop it, both of you," Elinore said, getting between them. "My daughter is missing and we're not going to find her with the two of you fighting like this. She wouldn't...she wouldn't want..."

Robert calmed down instantly. "I'm sorry Harry," he said. "I'm just angry and..."

"I know," Harry said, his own tone softening. He knew Elinore was right. "And you want answers...I want them too."

"Right," Robert said. "I want to go back with you to this Ministry. There's got to be something I can do to help find my daughter.”

"I'd like to come, too," Elinore said, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I feel so useless just sitting here."

Harry nodded numbly. "We can go now... maybe they'll have heard something." he looked at Lavender. "You with us?"

"Of course," Lavender replied. She watched as her aunt and uncle went upstairs to throw on some clothes. They'd been asleep when Cho had originally called them with the news. When she and Harry were alone, she looked at him. "Tell me the truth, Harry. This doesn't look good, does it?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "I wanted to kill him Lavender. I just KNOW that he's got her somewhere."

Lavender nodded and knew that if she got anywhere near Gordon Devereaux she'd want to kill him, too. She walked slowly over to the fireplace and looked at a photograph on the mantle. It was a Muggle photo of a five-year old Hermione and Lavender.

"Hermione always loved this photograph," Lavender said, picking it up. "I always thought my hair looked awful, but she always liked it."

Harry stepped up beside her. "Looks like the two of you were getting along even then." he smiled thinly.

"Right after they took our picture, she popped me upside the head," Lavender laughed. "I told her I'd hidden her Dr. Seuss books and she got so angry when I wouldn't tell her where they were."

That made Harry smile genuinely. "I have to get her back," he said softly.

Lavender turned around and gave him a hug. Tears spilling down her cheeks, she held him tightly. "We can't lose her, Harry. I don't know what any of us would do without her."

A few minutes later they left the Granger household and headed towards The Leaky Cauldron. "Here," Harry handed Elinore his cloak. "Wear this so no one asks questions..."

Elinore took the cloak and held on to her husband's hand as they followed Harry and Lavender.

Harry led everyone through the crowded tavern, keeping other witches and wizards at bay with the rather murderous look on his face. They went through several streets and to the Ministry building, which seemed to glow even though it was the middle of the night.

Under normal circumstances, Elinore and Robert would probably have been looking at everything in awe and wonder and unload question after question at their niece and future son-in-law about the goings on of the Wizarding World. As it were, these were not normal circumstances and they had only one thing on their minds---finding out what happened to Hermione.

*** *** ***

Hermione tossed uncomfortably on the bed while her mind worked furiously. Why hadn't Neville seen her in the room? She'd been only inches away yet unable to touch him. He hadn't heard her cry for help and she had watched them again with her locket. "What sort of spell could be masking me from everyone's sight?" she asked herself.

Gordon knocked on the door and without waiting for her response he opened the door and walked inside carrying a tray of food. "I hope you're hungry," he said merrily. "I made your favourite---turkey on wheat, and a nice cold glass of pumpkin juice."

"I don't want anything from you," Hermione scrambled to the opposite side of the room, getting as close to the door as she could get.

"It won't work," Gordon said, setting the tray down on the beside table. "I've set really strong wards on this room. The only way you can get out is if I let you go and I'm not about to do that."

"Why not?" Hermione demanded, not about to show him how frightened she truly was. "There's nothing in this world that could make me want to stay here with you."

"That's where you're wrong, Hermione," Gordon said pleasantly, as if he and Hermione were having a normal, everyday conversation. "You really should eat, Hermione. I would have brought you this sooner, but we had company, as I'm sure you heard."

“I heard," Hermione said flatly, not moving away from the wall. "What the hell sort of charm or spell did you put on the room?" her arms crossed over her chest.

"I'm not about to tell you that, love," Gordon said with a laugh. "But, since you're not in the mood for eating, how about you do a little writing?"

"Don't call me love," Hermione snapped. "And I want my ring back."

"You don't need it," Gordon answered, a smile plastered on his face. "You're not going to marry him, so why should you wear his ring?"

Hermione stared at him. "Who the HELL do you think you are?" she felt her control start to slip away. "I AM marrying Harry when I get out of here. I wouldn't marry you if you were the last man on earth."

"YOU WILL NEVER MARRY HIM!" Gordon shouted angrily. He grabbed her by the arm and threw her down on the bed. He picked up the parchment and threw it in her face. "You're going to write him a letter and you're going to tell him that you don't love him anymore and you never want to see him again."

"No I'm not!" Hermione shouted back.

"If you don't," Gordon warned. "I'll kill him, Hermione."

Hermione stared at him. "Only if he doesn't kill you first," she said coldly.

Gordon laughed. "He was right here tonight, Hermione! Right here! And he had no idea that you were right under his nose!"

"He'll find me," Hermione replied. "I know he will. And that's only if I don't make my way out of here first."

Gordon glared at her. He couldn't understand why she was making this so difficult. "I'll give you an hour to write him a letter," Gordon said calmly. "And it had better be convincing." Without another word, he walked out of the room, leaving her alone.

Hermione stared down at the parchment for a long time. She had every intention of refusing to write Harry a letter breaking up with him when an idea occurred to her.

‘Dear Harry,

I wish I could end things a little easier than this. I left you at my classroom earlier today and it hit me- I'm not in love with you. I'm in love with the fame you brought to me. Please don’t look for me, as I'm not anywhere obvious. Tell my parents I’ll be in touch. I will remember what we shared.

Hermione’

She looked at the note with a sense of satisfaction, hoping that she’d put enough of a slant on the name ‘Gordon’ in the letter that they’d stick out to Harry, but not to her captor.

In the kitchen, Gordon slowly nursed a cup of coffee and waited to check back in on Hermione. He'd thought up the letter idea right after Potter had left. He wanted to do something to convince the idiot that Hermione had left him and wouldn't be coming back. The letter was the perfect solution.

A few minutes later, he opened the door and saw her sitting on the bed, the letter in her lap. "Good evening, my love," he said smiling sweetly at her. "You did as I asked then?"

"I told you to stop calling me love," Hermione snapped.

Gordon frowned. "Hermione...you'd really make this easier if you'd just give in to me."

"Ugh," Hermione was disgusted. "You make me sick Gordon."

Gordon held his hand out. "Let me see the letter."

Hermione threw it in his direction. "I hope you're satisfied," she said coldly.

He picked the letter up from the floor and smiled at her as he unfolded it. "We'll see..."

Hermione crossed her arms and stared at him as he read through the short letter. She was slightly nervous that he'd catch her slanted letters and force her to rewrite it.

Gordon laughed as he read the letter. "'I'll remember what we shared'," he read aloud. "Sappy, much?"

"Shut up," Hermione snapped. "I bloody did what you wanted. It's not like Harry's going to believe that anyway."

"I think you're wrong," Gordon said smugly. "You give him far too much credit, Hermione. Underneath it all, he's as insecure as anyone else. He's blaming himself for what happened to you and I imagine, deep down, he wondered if you were with him because of that scar."

"I don't care about his scar or what he's done," Hermione shouted, getting up off the bed. "I'm with Harry because I LOVE HIM, not because he's forcing me to be!"

Gordon pocketed the letter in his trousers. "Why do you say those things when you know how much it hurts me?"

"I don't care if it hurts you," Hermione replied. "You don't think you're hurting me by keeping me locked in this stupid bedroom away from my friends and family?"

"Once we're in our special place, you'll change your mind," Gordon said quietly. "We'll be leaving in a couple of days, Hermione. You can't hold on to those people who tried to change you and take you away from me. You won't need them anymore. You'll have me."

"I don't want you," Hermione said frostily. "I despise you."

Her words stung him, but he knew that things would be different really soon. He nodded and took her tray of uneaten food from the table. "Good night," he said softly. "Sleep well."

"I want some water." Hermione demanded. "And if you do anything to it I'll figure out a way to curse you."

"Fair enough," Gordon said, walking out of the room. Within a few minutes, he returned with a glass of water and handed it to Hermione.

Hermione snatched it away and tried to slam the door in his face.

Gordon pushed the door back. "DON'T YOU TREAT ME LIKE I DON'T COUNT! YOU WILL TREAT ME WITH RESPECT!" he shouted angrily at her.

"Don't you dare order me around!" Hermione shouted back. "You're bloody keeping me here and I will NOT TREAT YOU WITH ANY RESPECT!"

"FINE!" Gordon yelled angrily and slammed the door behind him, leaving her alone. She was just upset and was taking it out on him, he told himself. Things would change soon enough.

*** *** ***

At around nine the next morning, Neville walked to the cottage to check on Harry. He knew his friend wouldn't be going to training in light of everything that had happened. When he'd left Harry last night, his friend wasn't in good shape. Hermione's parents weren't any better and Neville had never been more at a loss as to what to say or do as he was last night during the briefing. Lupin had told them all that Gordon would be put on surveillance, but that without evidence they couldn't bring him in.

This didn't go over well with either Harry or Robert. When they'd parted ways at the Ministry, both men looked broken. Neville couldn't imagine what they were going through. Robert was missing a daughter and Harry was missing the love of his life. Neville shuddered to think what he'd do without Cho and Chiaki. It was a pain he didn't want to ever experience.

Neville walked up the steps and rang the doorbell.

Harry flung the door open immediately; he had been sitting on the floor directly behind it. "Oh..." his face fell.

"Hey," Neville said apologetically. He knew his was not the face Harry had wanted to see. His friend wore only jeans and a t-shirt. He looked tired and haggard. "I guess asking how you are would be a stupid question?"

"Yeah," Harry replied, holding the door open. "There's been nothing new. Nothing." he sighed heavily.

"Did you get any sleep?" Neville asking, coming inside.

"I don't know..." Harry rubbed his eyes. "I don't think so."

Neville nodded. "Cho sends her best. She would have come with me, but Chiaki still had a fever..."

"It's all right," Harry said, his voice rough and scratchy.

Neville walked into the kitchen and began to make some coffee, feeling that in someway perhaps this would help.

"Lupin wants to see us at headquarters at eleven," Neville said over his shoulder.

"I wanted to stay there last night but he told me to come home," Harry said, looking around bleakly.

"He wanted you to get some sleep," Neville said pouring some coffee into a mug and handing it to Harry. "Come on, mate. You've got to have something. You're going to need your strength."

Harry accepted the coffee. "Thanks," he muttered.

A few minutes later, he and Harry were sitting at the table, eating toast and jam and drinking their coffee. Neville was eating, but Harry wasn't doing much of anything. The doorbell chimed and Neville got up to answer the door.

Harry nearly vaulted out of his seat but Neville was still first to the door.

Neville opened the door and found...no one. He was about to shut the door when he noticed a plain white envelope on the floor.

"Harry..." he called out to his friend. "Look..."

"What?" Harry snatched the envelope away. He pulled a piece of parchment out and something heavy dropped to the floor.

Neville bent down and picked it up and his heart dropped as he handed the ring...Hermione's ring...back to his friend.

Harry stared disbelievingly at it for a moment. "This..." his hand started to shake. "Hermione sent me a letter breaking up?"

Neville didn't know what to say. He'd never considered that Hermione would ever break up with Harry. From what his friend had told him, Hermione had been over the moon about the engagement.

"This can't be right," Harry said several minutes later. "Hermione would never break up with me, and she'd certainly never break up with me like this."

"What does it say?" Neville asked. Harry handed Neville the letter. As he read it, Neville shook his head. It seemed really cold, distant and detached. From what Neville knew of Hermione, it didn't sound like her style.

"This isn't right," Harry said, still staring at the note. "Let's go down to the Ministry building now. I want to show this to Lupin."

"Good idea," Neville said.

Harry stuffed the note into his pocket and pulled a cloak on. He felt more alert as they left the cottage and was hoping this letter could help him figure out where Hermione was.

"Have you spoken to her parents last night?" Neville asked as they made their way toward the Ministry.

"Not since we left," Harry replied. "I'll owl them if we find out anything," he walked quicker.

Lupin was sitting in his office when Harry and Neville arrived. He looked about as tired as Harry and Neville knew that Lupin must have been here all night.

"Harry," Lupin said, with a sympathetic smile. "I thought I told you I didn't want to see you here until 11..."

"Here," Harry yanked the note out of his pocket. "Someone put this on the doorstep of the cottage."

Lupin took the letter and read it carefully.

"I don't think she wrote it," Harry said quickly. "Either that or she was forced to write it."

Lupin looked thoughtfully up at him and nodded. "I'm inclined to agree with you..."

Harry nodded eagerly, although Neville looked more reserved. "What can we do to find out if she wrote it?" he asked quietly.

Lupin didn't answer. He was re-reading the letter again, but this time he'd turned his desk lamp on and he seemed lost in thought as he pored over the letter's contents. A smile broke over his face and he looked at Harry. "Do you notice anything different in the letter?" Lupin asked, handing the letter back to him.

Harry took it back and perused it more carefully. "Wait a minute," he said. "Some of the letters are... slanted..." he read over it again. "G...o...r...d...o...n...."

"Damn smart girl you have, Harry," Lupin said with a grin. "Brilliant..."

Harry was seething and barely heard his mentor. "That... fucking bastard..." he swore. "I'm going to kill him."

"Harry, I know you don't want to hear this now, but I cannot allow you to do that..." Lupin said quickly, getting to his feet.

"Don't tell me what to do," Harry snapped angrily. "He's trying to take Hermione from me!"

"And he will if you end up in Azkaban for murder!" Lupin retorted. "How many years did Sirius lose to that place, Harry?"

"Don't bring up Sirius now," Harry held up his hand.

"Harry stop it," Neville spoke up. "Lupin's right. If you kill him you'll go to Azkaban and then your life will be a real mess."

"I know you want to get her back," Lupin said calmly. "We all want to get her back for you. There are ways we have to go about doing this...legally. If Hermione were here, she'd tell you the same thing. You know I'm right."

Harry didn't want to admit it but he did know that. "Fine," he said shortly. "What do we do?"

"We need to act quickly," Lupin said. "I imagine Gordon would like nothing more than to get her as far away from you as possible. As you know, we've had him on surveillance and he's not left his flat."

"I'll go back over there..." Harry began.

"We already went there once, do you really think he's going to let us back in there?" Neville asked.

"He won't have much choice," Lupin said, pulling on his cloak. "I don't think its such a good idea if you go, Harry."

"Why not?" Harry demanded.

"He has a bit of a point," Neville chimed in, earning a rather nasty glare from Harry. "I just mean, you're about ready to break the bloke's neck. If the two of you get in the same room, it's just asking for trouble."

"He asked for trouble the moment he decided it was within his fucking right to take my fiancée!" Harry nearly exploded.

"Okay, okay," Lupin said quickly. "Harry...if I let you both go with me to question him...you have to promise me that you won't do anything that I'll make you regret. Can you give me that promise?"

Harry hesitated. "I don't know," he said, not wanting to lie to Lupin.

"I'll go along to keep him in line," Neville said, knowing that with all likelihood he was no match for Harry, but wanting to be there just the same.

"This is against my better judgment," Lupin said shaking his head. "But let's go..."

*** *** ***

Hermione was still pacing around the small room the next morning. She had dozed off a few times, never sleeping heavily for fear of what she might wake up to. Instead she braced herself against the door whenever she felt too tired.

Gordon had not been in to see her yet, but she reasoned it was still early. She missed knowing what time it was and even worse, she missed her wand. If only she were capable of wandless magic, it would certainly come in handy right about now.

After he'd left Hermione alone last night, Gordon had drank himself into a stupor. Her words kept echoing in his head about how she didn't love him, she didn't want him. He had to do something to block it out. As he woke up the next morning, his head throbbed in agony. He was angry at her for making him do this and the only thing that calmed him was his knowledge that by tomorrow evening Hermione would be his forever.

Hermione planted herself against the door again, it had become her personal alert system as to when Gordon decided to come in. She changed into one of her jumpers that he'd stolen and it helped her feel a little better, helped her feel a little more alert as she kept trying to think of ways to get herself out of this situation without the aid of magic.

Gordon showered and changed clothes. He still felt quite nauseous, but he figured it would pass. There was too much to do today. He tried to open the door, but found he couldn't. "Hermione?" he asked, trying to stay calm. "Please stand back from the door."

"Go away!" she called out.

"We have loads to prepare love," Gordon said through clenched teeth. "Tomorrow is our wedding day after all."

His words were met with silence for a moment. "My wedding day is actually next June, not tomorrow." her voice was sharp.

"YOU'RE NOT MARRYING POTTER!" Gordon called out, pushing forcibly on the door, knocking Hermione back and allowing him entry into the room. He stood over her and felt an overwhelming rage flow through him. He raised his hand back to strike her, but froze as he heard loud pounding on the front door.

Hermione glared back at him refusing to cower and ready to kick or strike back if he dared hit her.

Gordon's hand dropped to his side as he became alarmed at what he'd been about to do. "I-I'm sorry, Hermione," he said softly. The pounding on the door continued. "Someone's here. Why is someone here? Won't they just leave us alone?"

"Because you're sick and they're all here looking for me because they know you're the only one who would have tried something like this!" Hermione snapped back.

Gordon stared back at her, wondering what he was going to do. "I-I'll get rid of them," he finally said, walking out of the room.

Hermione tried to follow him but was met with an invisible shield over the door. "Let me out of here!" she screamed angrily.

Gordon answered the door to find a man he didn't know staring at him, flanked by Potter and his friend Longbottom. "Not you again," Gordon said, rolling his eyes at Harry.

Harry opened his mouth to snap back but Neville silenced him with a look. "Don't," he whispered.

"Gordon Devereaux, I presume?" Lupin asked, producing a piece of parchment from his cloak pocket. "I am here on official Ministry business to question you in the disappearance of one Hermione Jane Granger. You'll see that is an official paper signed by the Minister himself authorizing me to question you."

Harry bit back a snide remark at the look on Gordon's face as he reluctantly stood back to allow them in.

Gordon grabbed some of the discarded clothing and newspapers on his sofa and cleared them away so Lupin could sit. "Does he have to be here?" Gordon asked, pointing at Harry.

"Don't worry about him," Lupin replied calmly, sending a look at his two trainees warning them to keep quiet. "This is between myself and you."

Gordon sat down on the chair opposite the sofa and looked at Lupin. "I have nothing to hide."

"Well then you won't mind answering some questions," Lupin interjected smoothly.

"Of course not," Gordon said, leaning back in his chair.

"Good," Lupin said. "I'd like to know about your friendship with Hermione."

Gordon smiled. "Hermione's one of my greatest friends. I've known her since we were kids. I hadn't seen her for quite some time, of course, but we ran into each other right before school started and we rekindled our friendship."

Harry snorted and Neville nudged him hard in the side. "All right," Lupin said. "Do you know of anyone who might have a reason to say... kidnap her? Anyone who disliked her?"

Again, Gordon rolled her eyes. "Is that what this is all about? Just because she finally had the good sense to leave him, everyone thinks she must have been kidnapped or something! Face it, Potter. She got tired of being your lapdog...plain and simple."

"Now you wait just a minute..." Harry erupted off the chair he was sitting on.

"Harry!" Neville said, getting to his feet and holding his friend back.

"She used to complain about it all the time," Gordon continued. "How she used to have to dress a certain way, act a certain way. How he wouldn't keep his hands off of her and she knew that if she didn't put out, he'd leave her in a heartbeat..."

"Hermione would never say that!" Harry shouted.

Upstairs, Hermione watched him breathlessly with her locket, hoping they'd somehow figure out she was up in that room. "Come on Harry..." she pleaded.

"Harry..." Lupin said, shooting him a warning look. "Mr. Devereaux, did you see Miss Granger Monday morning in class?"

"Yes I did," Gordon replied smoothly. "We worked on our project together and then she said she had to be back home to make him something to eat or he'd leave." he shook his head.

"He's lying," Harry whispered angrily to Neville.

"And what about Anna Golden?" Lupin continued. "Did you see her in class Monday morning as well?"

"She... left early," Gordon said. "Something about an appointment..."

"Your fellow classmates report her staying after class to talk with the professor," Lupin said, looking at his notes. "Yet, you're saying Anna left early. I guess your other classmates would be..."

"Confused?" Gordon shrugged.

"All ten of them would be confused?" Lupin asked.

"Probably," Gordon replied. "They don't take things seriously like Hermione and I do."

Lupin nodded. "And what about Andrew Murphy? Do you know anyone by that name, Mr. Devereaux?"

"Sounds vaguely familiar," Gordon said airily. "Look, I've got loads to do today before I go to class, so if we're going to play name that person, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you all to leave."

"I think I'd like to continue questioning you," Lupin answered firmly. "If you'd prefer we speed things up, I'd like Harry and Neville to search your apartment again while I finish questioning you. You wouldn't have any objection to that, would you?"

Gordon didn't know what to say. On one hand, he knew they couldn't find Hermione even if they were inches from her due to his spells. Yet he hated the idea of letting Potter walk around his place. "I guess not..." he muttered.

Neville and Harry stood up and when they were around the corner out of Gordon's earshot, Neville pulled Harry aside. "You need to check out his spare bedroom. Something about it seemed a bit odd to me."

"All right," Harry drew his wand. "Will you check his bedroom and the bathroom? Maybe I can figure out what's wrong with the other room."

Neville nodded and walked away as Harry went in the opposite direction.

Harry opened the door, his eyes travelling intently around the room. Neville was right, something was definitely odd. He moved further in, his wand extended.

Hermione's heart leapt as she saw him and she slowly got to her feet wondering if he was real. "Harry," she called out to him, tears welling up in her eyes. "It's me...I'm here."

Harry turned, it almost felt as if he heard his name being called. He moved slowly over to the bed, moving his hand over it. It was warm and the pillow almost seemed to have an indent of a head on it.

Hermione had forgotten for a moment that the spells Gordon had placed on the room wouldn't allow Harry to see or hear her, but she couldn't stop the reflex she had to touch him. Slowly, she reached out her hand toward his shoulder.

Harry felt a pressure on his right shoulder and spun around. "Is someone there?" he asked hesitantly.

"Harry," she said pleadingly. "Please, you have to hear me...I'm here. I'm standing right in front of you."

Harry stared straight in front of him, wondering what on earth was going on. "Neville," he called out. "Can you come in here?"

"What's going on?" Neville asked coming inside. "Did you find something?"

"I have this crazy idea," Harry began.

"What?" Neville asked.

"What if... what if Gordon Devereaux put a charm or a spell on this room, a masking charm of sorts?" Harry asked. "And we can't see what's truly here?" he looked around. "I know this sounds mad but I can almost feel her in here."

"It doesn't sound mad at all, Harry," Neville said, nodding. "I felt the same way yesterday when we were here."

Harry felt a strong surge of hope. "So that means... she could be in here right now. Sitting right here!" he looked at the empty spot next to him.

Hermione beamed at him, wishing he could see how proud she was of him for figuring it out. Surely, he must know some way of finding out how to break this spell. "I am here, Harry," she said softly, reaching out for him again. "I'm right here."

Harry wasn't sure if it was his imagination running wild but he could feel someone caressing his hand. "We have to think of a way to get Gordon to raise all the wards he's got on this flat." he said, thinking fast.

"You're never going to get him to do that," Neville said. "I'm surprised he's let us stay this long. Did you see the look on his face when Lupin asked you and me to look around?"

"He didn't want us to and now I know why," Harry got up. "We need to tell Lupin about this. Maybe he'll figure out a way..."

"Harry! Neville!" Lupin called out to them.

"We better go," Neville said quietly.

Harry paused a moment. "Hermione..." he said quietly. "If you're really here... I'm coming back for you..."

"Don't go...," she said, wishing there was some way to grab his arm. "Please, Harry..."

He left the room, feeling more determined than ever to put Gordon in his place once and for all. He met Neville at the foot of the short stairwell and they joined Lupin in the living room.

"I've answered your questions and now I want you all to leave," Gordon said angrily. "You've invaded my privacy and made me feel like a common criminal."

"What sort of wards do you have on this place?" Neville asked, trying hard to sound casual.

"That's none of your business," Gordon answered, breezing past Lupin and opening up the door for his unwanted and uninvited guests.

Harry cast a stricken glance at the stairwell, knowing if he left, he may never see Hermione again. "Why won't you answer us?" he challenged. "Got something to hide?"

Gordon stared at Harry. "I have nothing to hide, Potter. I have standard security wards in place just like everyone else. Satisfied?"

Lupin pulled on his arm. "Come on Harry, there's nothing more we can do here."

"Yes," Gordon said, smirking at Harry. "Go along like a good lad, Harry. There's nothing more for you here."

Harry glared at him. "I swear if I ever find out you did anything to her I'll kill you," his green eyes darkened dangerously.

Gordon would never admit it, of course, but the look in Potter's eyes frightened him somewhat. He knew that Potter meant what he said. But, Gordon told himself, by the time Potter figured it all out, he and Hermione would be joined together...forever. "I-I want you to leave, now," Gordon said.

Lupin pulled on his arm again and Gordon slammed the door in their faces. "Harry I told you no outbursts!" the professor looked angry.

"I never promised you I wouldn't say anything to him!" Harry retorted angrily. "That bloody bastard's lucky I didn't kill him on the spot!"

"We were in the spare room upstairs," Neville cut in. "We both think he put some sort of masking spell on the room to hide it's contents."

"Masking spell?" Lupin asked. "How could you tell?"

"There was something very odd about the room," Harry tried to explain. "I could feel her in there. And I kept feeling pressure, on my hand, on my shoulder..."

"And I felt the same thing yesterday when I looked in there," Neville said, backing up his friend.

Lupin looked at his two trainees. "It sounds plausible but we can't go back in there..."

"WHAT?" Harry exploded. "You expect me to leave her in there with him?"

"We can't go back in until we get another permit," Lupin said. "I'm sorry Harry. If I go against the Ministry I could lose my job. We'll go right now and come back."

"Lupin's right," Neville said, dejectedly.

Harry shook his head. "There's not time enough for that. He's too smart to stick around now..." he began walking away fast.

"Harry...," Lupin called after him, but he'd already started for the stairs. Lupin looked at Neville. "Go with him...make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I'm going to head back to the Ministry."

Harry practically ran to the Granger's house. He was glad it wasn't far from the entrance to The Leaky Cauldron. He pounded on the door, hoping Robert and Elinore were home.

Robert opened the door. "Harry? What is it? Have you heard anything? Please tell me, she's not..."

"I need you to come with me," Harry said in a rush. I know where she is. We have to go now before he takes her away."

Robert didn't need to ask who Harry was talking about. "Let's go."

Harry pulled him through The Leaky Cauldron and the two of them ran straight into Neville. "Don't try and stop us," Harry said.

"I wasn't going to," Neville said. "I just don't want you to end up in Azkaban, Harry."

"I'm not going to kill him," Harry said, not stopping. "I'm going to get my fiancée back."

Hermione was pacing back and forth in the small bedroom wondering what was going on. It had been nearly twenty minutes since Harry had left and she was getting anxious. She'd just pulled her locket out when Gordon suddenly stormed into the room. "We have to go now," he said anxiously, laying a suitcase on the bed.

Hermione stared at him. "I'm not going anywhere."

"There's no time to argue," Gordon spat at her. "We have to go. They know...they know that I have you."

"It's about time," Hermione said coldly.

"I misjudged Potter," Gordon said, going over to the closet and hastily pulling her jumpers and shirts from the hangers. "He does seem to care about you."

"Very smart," Hermione crossed her arms over her chest. "Maybe you aren't as pathetic as I thought."

Gordon stopped what he was doing and glared at her. He didn't say anything as the anger seemed to surge through him. He took a few steps menacingly toward her.

"Hit me," Hermione challenged. "I'll bet you can't do it."

"I'm not going to hit you," he said, undoing his belt.

Hermione scoffed. "You're nothing but a coward."

Gordon leered at her and tossed his belt to the floor. He threw the suitcase to the floor as well and then grabbed Hermione by the arm. "I'm going to make you forget about him."

45. 45

Author’s note: We both want to thank all of you for staying with us throughout this long, bumpy ride we sent Harry/Hermione, Seamus/Lavender, Ron/Luna and Neville/Cho on. This story originally was planned to only be eight chapters and it sort of took on a life of its own and ended up being forty-five chapters. We’re not through with this universe yet, though. At the end of this chapter, you’ll find another author’s note that will let you know what we have in store next…

Again, thank you all for reading and reviewing!

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

Hermione's eyes widened as she realised his intentions. "Don't you touch me," she backed away.

"I'm going to do a lot more than touch you," he said as she managed to break from his grasp.

"Gordon," Hermione said shakily. "You don't want to do this."

He glared at her as he ran his hands through his hair. "I don't know how else to get through to you Hermione," he said in a completely calm voice.

"You don't want me that way," Hermione said, trying to reason with him and buy herself some time. She knew that Harry would be back. If she could just stall Gordon or put him off until then, everything would be okay. "This isn't you, Gordon. This isn't the same Gordon Devereaux I knew at Beauxbatons."

Gordon stopped a moment at her words. "You're right," he said a minute later. "I'm not the same. I've had people try and stop me from doing what I have to do. Everything I've EVER done has been for you Hermione, and you throw that back at me. You've been flaunting that fucking Potter at me since I saw you last year and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" he finished with a scream.

Hermione looked frantically around the room for some sort of weapon to use, but there was...nothing. "Gordon, please...you need help. I'll go with you to St. Mungo's. We could even go and see my dad. He'd be glad to help..."

Gordon grabbed her arm. "It's too late Hermione," he said. "You're going to be mine forever after tonight. We'll be so happy together. We'll move into the country somewhere and you'll forget all about these other people..." his grip tightened as she tried to pull away. "You're all mine already," he leaned in to kiss her.

She turned her head so at the last moment all he was able to kiss was her cheek. This only enraged him even more. Hermione struggled with every thing that she had to get free from the hold he had on her.

"You're not getting away," Gordon said through clenched teeth as he tore her jumper. He pushed her towards the bed. "You may as well accept it Hermione..."

"I'll never accept it," Hermione said hoarsely. "Never. I don't love you, Gordon. I never have and I NEVER WILL!"

"Yes you DO!" Gordon shouted, throwing her on the bed. He crawled on top of her, pawing at her as he tried to rip her clothes off her. "You have no choice here," he said, his face an inch from hers.

Hermione racked her brain for some way to get out of this. Time was running out and she accepted the fact that Harry wasn't going to make it in time. If she was going to get out of this, it would be up to her. "No," she said, her voice choking.

"Stop saying no!" Gordon snapped, holding her hands over her head.

"NO!" Hermione screamed out. She struggled to break free from his grasp, but he only held gripped tighter on her wrists.

"I love you Hermione," Gordon looked down at her. "Sooner or later you'll realise you love me too," he leaned down and this time she wasn't able to move her head out of the way before he kissed her hard on the mouth.

Her legs were now free as he tried to deepen the kiss, and Hermione seized her opportunity. She kneed him in the groin as hard as she could.

Gordon howled in pain and rolled off the side of the bed. "You fucking bitch!" he screamed as he reached out and slapped her hard across the face. "THAT IS NOT HOW YOU TREAT THE MAN YOU LOVE!"

"You're disgusting!" Hermione looked around frantically for some sort of weapon. "I DON’T LOVE YOU GORDON! I HATE YOU!”

Gordon scrambled to his feet and if he'd been angry before, he was absolutely enraged now. He had just managed to get a good grip on her arm when there was the sound of a loud noise downstairs, almost as if someone had broken the door down. In his haste to put the wards back up he reached into his pocket for his wand, but couldn't find it. He heard the sound of muffled voices getting closer and he reached out for Hermione.

Hermione hit out blindly at his face and she caught him right on his eye. "I told you to stay away!" she screamed.

"HERMIONE!" Harry called out.

"HARRY!" Hermione shouted, forgetting again that she was protected under the ward. "I'm in here!"

"That's her," Robert said following Harry. "I heard her!"

Gordon tried again to find his wand. Unbeknownst to Hermione he'd let the wards down when Potter and his friends had left and he needed to get them back in place before Potter saw.

Hermione saw his wand sitting under the suitcase that he'd thrown to the floor and she dived for it. She held it out against him, the wooden stick trembling in her hand.

"Give me that now!" Gordon said, reaching out for it.

Harry finally managed to make it to the bedroom and to his relief...he could actually see Hermione. She was holding a wand on Gordon and she had a few scrapes and bruises on her face. Her jumper was torn and Harry saw Gordon's belt on the floor. He looked from Hermione back to Gordon.

"Harry..." Hermione's knees buckled in relief.

"Did he try and...," Harry said angrily, his eyes trained on Gordon. "Did he..."

Hermione opened her mouth to answer him, but to her horror Harry let her go and rounded on Gordon.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Harry yelled, his fist connecting with Gordon's nose.

Gordon's body slammed against the wall. "Damn you Potter," he hissed.

Gordon started to get up again, but Harry hit him again in the stomach, causing Gordon to double over in pain.

"Harry! No!" Hermione called out as Harry hit Gordon again.

"Going to take her away from me?" Harry asked through clenched teeth as he grabbed the other man by the neck. "Thought you'd be clever by hiding her under a masking charm?" his eyes were glowing brightly as the mirror across the room shattered and the lights flickered.

Gordon's face was bloodied and bruised, but he just sneered at Harry. "She'll always be mine, Potter."

"She'll never be yours you fucking psychopath," Harry glared at him.

Hermione turned as her father appeared in the doorway. "Daddy..." her eyes suddenly filled with tears.

"Dr. Granger," Gordon suddenly said as if he wasn’t all bruised and battered; smiling at him. "How nice of you to come...Hermione and I wouldn't have dreamed of getting married without you here..."

Robert looked at him in disbelief and then looked at his daughter. "You took my daughter," Robert said angrily stepping closer to Gordon. "You took her away from her family and her friends and you....you..."

"I love her," Gordon said simply, tucking his shirt back into his trousers. "I love her more than he does!" He pointed accusingly at Harry.

"No one loves her more than I do," Harry said, his voice extremely tense. "You think your fixation is love. It's not love."

Gordon looked helplessly around the room. His eyes fell on Hermione as she tried to inch closer to Harry. Gordon reached for her, but something in Robert snapped and he drew back his fist and hit Gordon as hard as he could.

Harry took that moment to pull Hermione close to him and out of harm's way. "Stay back here," he said to her.

"Harry...," she said, tears flowing down her cheeks.

Harry turned as Gordon launched back off the floor and at Robert. Something inside him snapped and suddenly the lamp that had been on the bedside table flew through the air and smashed on the wall right behind Gordon's head.

Gordon cowered in the corner. "I didn't want to hurt her...I just wanted her to be with me...."

"She will never be with you," Harry said coldly. "Taking her away from the people she loves isn't the way to get someone to fall for you."

"YOU TOOK HER AWAY FROM ME!" Gordon shouted. "SHE WAS MINE!"

"I was NEVER yours!" Hermione said angrily from the doorway.

Gordon winced at her words and eased back against the wall, tears filling his eyes and he curled himself up into a ball, rocking back and forth. "She loves me...she loves me...she loves me..."

Harry, Robert and Hermione stared down at him in horror. "He's snapped..." Harry said. "He's gone mad..."

Despite what Gordon had done and what he had been about to do to her, Hermione felt badly for him as he sat and sobbed on the floor. Her father put his arm around her.

"Sweetheart," Robert said, hugging his daughter. "I didn't know if we'd ever see you again..."

"I didn't know either," Hermione wiped at her eyes.

Neville appeared in the doorway with Lupin in tow. He looked around the room at Hermione, who was hugging her father and Harry who was looking at Gordon.

"We'll be happy," Gordon was saying, nodding to himself. "We're going to be so happy. Never, never wanted to hurt her...she made me."

"We need to get out of here," Harry said coolly.

"We'll take him in," Lupin said. He put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Good to have you back, Hermione."

"Thank you," Hermione said softly. She allowed her father to lead her out of the room. "Harry?" she called back.

Harry followed her out and he was finally able to scoop her up in his arms like he'd wanted to when he'd first seen her. "I was so scared I'd lost you," he said, squeezing her tightly.

"You figured it out," she hugged him back as hard as she could.

He pulled away from her so he could look into her eyes and touch her cheek. Robert decided to give them a moment alone and he walked into the living room.

"Did he do this?" Harry asked, caressing her bruised cheek.

"Yes," Hermione looked down. "I hit him back."

"You hit him back?" Harry asked with a smile. "And that scar on his lip? You responsible for that, too?"

"He kissed me," Hermione shuddered at the memory. "The first night I was here. He tried to..." she shivered again. "So I bit him."

"That's my girl," Harry said, hugging her again. "I wanted to kill him...I still do."

"I can't believe he snapped," Hermione said. "Do you think he's just trying to fool us?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "I just want to get you home and cleaned up. I don't want to think about him right now."

"He stole some of my clothes," Hermione looked into the room.

"I'll have Neville get them for you," he promised. "Let me take you home, sweetheart."

"Where did my dad go?" she asked.

"I think he wanted to give us some privacy," Harry said softly. "He and your mum and Lavender have all been so worried."

"I want to see them all," Hermione leaned against him. "Do you mind Harry?"

"Not at all," he said wrapping his arms around her. "We can do whatever you want. I'm just so happy to have you back."

"I'm happy you found me," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'm happy he did, too," Robert said, coming back into the hallway.

"Daddy," Hermione flung herself at her father, who held her tightly.

"You gave us quite a scare," Robert said softly. "Your mother has been out of her mind with worry and your cousin. My sweet little girl..."

"Can we leave?" Hermione asked. "I really want to go home."

Robert nodded. "Let's get you home, then."

They passed by the room where Lupin and Neville had restrained Gordon and were waiting for other Ministry officials to show up. Hermione couldn't resist looking in one last time and Gordon caught sight of her.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," Gordon called out to her in anguish. "I'm sorry....never meant to hurt you."

Hermione stared at him and Harry tugged gently on her hand. "Just don't look at him love," he said softly.

Hermione nodded and followed him out of the flat, feeling drained but quite happy to be finally going home.

*** *** ***

No one spoke much on the way back to the Granger house and Hermione was supported on either side by her father and her fiancé. As they finally walked up the steps to the house, Robert smiled at his daughter. "Welcome home, sweetheart."

Hermione gave a weak smile. She was still somewhat in shock by the events that had transpired the last couple of days.

"Are you going to be all right?" Harry asked, his eyes anxiously searching her face.

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. She wondered if she would be okay. If she'd ever feel safe again. If she hadn't been so trusting and naive, perhaps none of them would have had to face this. She'd tried to put on a brave face, but in reality she'd been scared. She didn't have a chance to answer him because her father opened the door and called out for her mother.

Elinore came rushing to the door and when she saw her daughter, she smiled the first smile she'd managed since Hermione disappeared. "Sweetheart!" Elinore enveloped her daughter in her arms. "Oh Hermione we've been so worried..."

Hermione started to cry again as she hugged her mother. "Mum..."

"Oh love," Elinore smoothed Hermione's hair back. "I'm so glad you're home safe." she kissed her daughter's forehead. Robert mustered up a smile as he patted her back as his arm slid around his wife.

"Me, too," Hermione whispered. "Me, too." She tried to block out her father's words as he related what had happened to her mother. Images of Gordon coming at her flashed in her head and she felt a little weak and stumbled a bit.

"Easy there," Harry caught her up in his arms. "Come on, you need to sit down."

"I haven't eaten anything in two days," Hermione admitted it, as he led her to the sofa in the living room. "I was afraid he may have done something to the food."

"I'll get you something," Elinore said. "What do you want? I'll make you anything you want sweetheart."

"Ellie?" Robert asked gently. "We just got her back...if you cook for her, she'll spend a week in hospital."

Elinore cast a glare at her husband. "All right then you make her something." she turned to her daughter. "Lavender and Seamus are upstairs... I'll go let them know you're home."

Hermione nodded and leaned back on the sofa.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Harry asked softly when they were alone.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm just exhausted is all."

"If you want we can stay here tonight," Harry offered. "We can go home if you want too."

"I want to sleep in our bed tonight...in our home," she answered, resting her head on his shoulder.

"All right," Harry wrapped his arms around her. "I missed you so much Hermione."

"I missed you," she whispered. "Today when you first came into the room, I tried to touch you, but I couldn't..."

"I felt it," Harry said. "That's what made me think that there was a masking charm on the room."

Hermione closed her eyes as she buried her face in his chest. The peacefulness didn't last long as Lavender nearly sprinted into the room. Hermione didn't move, however. She still clung tightly to Harry.

"Hermione!" the blonde squealed. "You're okay!" she flew forward and plastered herself against her cousin.

"Hi, Lavender," Hermione said hoarsely, hugging her cousin. She looked over Lavender's shoulder and gave a slight smile to Seamus.

"Hi Hermione," he said. "Glad... glad to see you're all right."

Elinore handed her daughter a glass of orange juice. "Your dad's nearly finished with the waffles," she said, handing her the juice. Hermione was keenly aware that every eye was on her and she nervously took a sip of her juice.

Harry stood up. "I'll go help him," he said, giving Hermione's hand a squeeze.

Robert looked up over the waffle iron at Harry as he walked into the kitchen. "How is she?"

"A little overwhelmed I think," Harry said honestly. "Everyone's watching her."

"She's going to need time to get over all that happened," Robert said wisely. He leaned against the counter. "I wanted to kill him, Harry. I've never felt that way about anyone before...I wanted to kill him for what he'd done to her---for what he almost did to her."

"Same here," Harry replied. "When I... faced with Voldemort... it's nothing like what I felt like tonight."

"What will happen to him now?" Robert asked quietly.

Harry sighed. "I don't know. If he's truly gone mad, they'll either put him in a ward at St. Mungo's or ship him off to the same place his parents are. If he's still sane he'll be kept at the Ministry."

Robert nodded. "You're both welcome to stay here tonight. We'd love to have you."

"I'll go along with whatever she wants," Harry said. "She just told me she wants to go home though..."

"You don't think the press will hound her over this, do you?" Robert asked concerned. "That's all she needs."

"I don't think so," Harry said bemusedly. "I don't know if they've even caught wind of it. They're probably too worried over the state of Andrew Murphy.”

Robert smiled in relief. "Well, how about you go and tell everyone this is ready?"

"All right," Harry replied sharing a grin with his future father in law. "Your dad's almost done making your waffles," he said, sitting back down next to Hermione in the living room.

Hermione smiled and tried to listen to the conversation going on around her but she was finding it hard to focus. Luckily, her dad called them all into the kitchen and soon everyone was busily eating. Hermione nearly devoured her waffles as she hadn't truly realized how hungry she was until now. After she'd finished eating, she asked Lavender if it'd be okay if she went upstairs to get some rest in their old room.

"Sure," Lavender replied. "You can even sleep on my bed if you want... I sort of have a bunch of clothes thrown on yours..." her face turned red.

"That's fine," Hermione said, squeezing Lavender's hand. She looked across the room at Harry who was talking with her father and Seamus.

Harry felt her eyes on him and turned to look at her. "Are you going to rest? I really don't mind staying here tonight if you want to just sleep."

"No, I want to go home," she said her voice barely above a whisper. "But I wanted to rest a little while. I don't want to be alone, though. Would you come upstairs with me?"

"Sure," Harry got up instantly.

Hermione led him upstairs and down the hall to the bedroom she'd once shared with Lavender.

"Everyone's going to want to see you tomorrow," Harry said softly when they were in the bedroom.

Hermione didn't answer him as they settled down on the twin bed. She didn't know if she was ready to face everyone at once.

"Want me to tell everyone to stay away for a few days?" Harry offered. "They'll understand."

"Just until I get my bearings back," she whispered sleepily, closing her eyes.

"Shh..." Harry lay back and she rested her head on his chest.

It didn't take long for her to be lulled to sleep by the sound of Harry's beating heart and the way he was running his hand through her hair.

Harry watched her sleep; still almost unbelieving that she was here, safe and sound. It wasn't long before his own eyelids grew heavy.

Hermione's sweet dreams of Harry were disturbed by images of Gordon coming at her. She kept seeing him coming at her, undoing his belt. In her dream, he threw her down on the bed and pinned her arms so she couldn't move. "Let me go!" she called out. "LET ME GO!" she called out from the bed, waking Harry with her cries. She was shaking.

"Hermione!" Harry instantly cupped her face with his hands. "Wake up sweetheart... come on..." he shook her gently.

"NO!" she screamed, waking up. The room was dark and she felt someone's hands on her face. "Let me go! Please..."

"Hermione!" Harry patted her cheeks lightly. "You're safe now, come on wake up."

"Harry," she said breathlessly, opening her eyes. "Harry..."

"I'm here," he said gently.

She wrapped her arms around his neck. "He was in my dreams, Harry."

Harry held her close. "He can't do anything to you anymore."

She nodded. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Harry replied, running his hands soothingly through her hair. “You didn't ask him to take you; you didn't ask him to curse all those people..."

"But it was because of me that he did all of that," she said quietly. "How could I not feel guilty because of that?"

"You didn't encourage him," Harry said softly. "It was you he was fixated on, but it could have easily been someone else. He'd have done the same thing.”

Hermione shook her head. "I might not have encouraged him out right, Harry. But, I might as well have by dismissing every odd thing about him. I took his word time and time again over yours. I believed every explanation he gave me!"

Harry looked down for a moment. "I really don't know what to say to that," he replied honestly.

"Everything could have been avoided if I'd have just listened," Hermione said gravely. "Andrew Murphy, his parents... I don't know how I can forgive myself for this, let alone expect you to forgive me, Harry."

"Hermione," Harry said firmly. "While yes, things would probably be different if you listened, you can't help what went on, and what is going on in his head. The guy is messed up, and now he's going to get the help he needs instead of preying on another person."

This time it was Hermione who didn't know what to say to this. Logically, she knew Harry was right, but she still couldn't help heaping a portion of the blame on herself for what had happened. This was going to take some time to get over.

"Does that make you feel any better?" Harry asked, seemingly reading her mind. "If it weren't for you, he'd still be in the clear. Now he can't do anything to anyone else again."

A tear trickled down Hermione's cheek. She hugged Harry and hoped that he wouldn't push her away. To her relief, he wrapped his arms around her and held her as she cried.

"He was going to take me away," she said a few minutes later, remembering how he'd told her about the spell. "He said it was going to make me his forever. If you hadn't have come along when you did, he'd have taken me away and I'd have..."

"I'd have found you," Harry said firmly.

Hermione looked away from him. There was something she'd been thinking about while she'd been held captive and she wanted to ask him. "Harry," she said, not looking up at him. "The reason you asked me to marry you...so soon...was it because of Gordon?"

Harry looked down at the cover. "Partly," he admitted, not wanting to lie. "But I really do want to marry you. I honestly wouldn't have asked if I didn't want us to go that route."

Hermione kept her eyes averted from his gaze. "Really?"

"I swear," Harry said. "I love you Hermione."

She finally looked up and slowly inched her face closer to his.

"You believe me don't you?" Harry whispered.

"Yes," she answered softly, before gently pressing her lips to his.

Harry relaxed as she kissed him. He gently wound his arms back around her and kissed her a little harder.

They lay back on the bed and Hermione smiled up at him. "I love you so much," she whispered.

"I know," he said quietly. "I love you as well."

"Take me home," she said softly.

"All right," Harry kissed her again and they got up quietly. In the short time they had been sleeping it seemed as if everyone else had turned in as well. "Let's leave your mum and dad a note..." He said as they crept into the kitchen.

Hermione watched as Harry quickly scribbled a note. She looked down at her hand and remembered that her ring was gone. She had no idea what Gordon could have done with it. Deciding she'd tell Harry about it tomorrow, she took his hand.

They walked briskly, not talking much until they reached the cottage. Harry kissed the back of her hand as he opened the door for her. "Do you want to go right to bed or did you want some tea or something?"

"I'd like to take a bath," she admitted. "Get out of these clothes."

"Right," Harry said. "I'll go run it for you, how does that sound?"

"You're being so sweet to me," she said smiling at him. "I could get used to this."

"You deserve a little spoiling," Harry smiled back at her. "But don't let it go to your head," he teased gently.

"I won't," she promised.

Harry squeezed her hand and went to run her a bath while she changed out of her torn jumper and dirty jeans. "That's got to feel better already," he said as she came into the loo in her cream coloured robe.

"You have no idea," she said grinning at him. "It feels so great to be home."

"I'm glad," Harry said. "I'm going to go downstairs and make some tea."

"Okay," she said. "Thank you."

"Come on down when you're finished," Harry said, caressing her cheek with the back of his hand.

"I will," she said, pressing her cheek to his hand.

Harry went down the stairs and set the kettle on the stove. He could hardly believe just one night ago he was sitting almost in the very same spot and was completely miserable. He was also still astounded at the turn of events that had taken place that night.

A few minutes later he held two steaming mugs of tea in his hand and he went back upstairs. "Hermione?" Harry knocked on the door. "Thought you might like to have this in there..." he listened and thought he could hear her crying softly.

"Come in," she said, wiping quickly at her cheeks as she pulled on her robe. The bath had been very relaxing and nice, but she'd also had a lot of time to reflect on what had happened.

Harry went into the loo, his eyes soft with concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said quickly. She didn't want him to know she'd been crying again.

"Hey if something's wrong you can tell me," Harry set the mugs down on the counter. "I'm here for you..."

"I know," she said. "It's just...I want things to be like they were before this happened and I don't know if they ever will be. What if he gets out and comes after me again? Am I going to have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life? Will we be the same again, Harry?"

"Of course we will," Harry hugged her fiercely. "There's two things that could happen to Gordon Devereaux. Either he's gone mad and will stay in St. Mungo's, or he'll be held at the Ministry until there's a trial to determine how he should pay for what he's done." he felt her wrap her arms around him. "You're going to be just fine Hermione."

He felt her nod into his shoulder. "I know what you need," Harry said suddenly.

"What?" she asked.

"Go dress in something warm," Harry sent her a smile. "I'll put a charm on these so we can have them when we get back," he picked up the mugs. "Be downstairs in ten minutes."

Hermione couldn't help but smile back at his enthusiasm. "Dress in something warm?"

"Yes," Harry said, leaving the bathroom. "Ten minutes!" he called back.

"Okay," Hermione said, walking into their bedroom wondering what he had planned. Ten minutes later, she came downstairs in a light blue jumper and jeans. "How's this?"

"Wear this," he handed her the thickest cloak he could find in their hall closet. "It can get pretty cold."

"What can get pretty cold?" she asked him, staring at him quizzically.

"I'm taking you flying," Harry produced his broom. "Your first night time ride."

Hermione shook her head and laughed. "You've got to be joking. I'm not getting on that...thing."

"Come on," Harry said. "I guarantee that you'll feel almost completely better once we get back. I used to go fly all the time at night back before I battled Voldemort and it always helped clear my head." she still looked hesitant. "You trust me don't you?"

"You know I do," she answered.

"Then trust me on this," Harry said. "And if you don't feel better, I promise to never bother you again about flying."

"Okay," she said, still feeling a little queasy at the thought of being off the ground in the dark. "Just promise me you won't do any of those flips or that Wonky-Feint thing while I'm up there with you..."

"I promise," Harry said. "We'll take it nice and easy."

"I can't believe I'm actually agreeing to this," she said shaking her head. "But okay...let's go."

"Great," Harry wrapped his cloak around himself and they left. Down the street, Harry mounted his broom and gestured for her to sit sideways in front of him. "It'll be more comfortable for you this way."

"It'd be more comfortable for me on the ground actually," she joked nervously.

"Come on," Harry said. "I swear you're going to love this."

"Okay, okay," she said, sitting sideways as he instructed. "What do we do now?"

"Wrap your arms around me," Harry said, sliding his hand around her waist while his other gripped the handle.

"I like this part," Hermione said with a grin.

"I figured," Harry teased.

Hermione kept her eyes closed, not wanting to watch any of it. She hoped Harry wouldn't notice.

Harry pulled up gently on the handle and they rose several feet in the air. "It's okay to look," he said. "We're only about fifteen feet up."

With her eyes still closed, Hermione said softly, "I'm looking."

"You are not," Harry said.

"Isn't it enough that I'm up here?" she asked, tightening her grip around Harry's waist as she felt him speed up a bit.

"Didn't you say you trust me?" Harry asked.

"Yes," she reluctantly admitted. "Oh, all right." She opened her eyes and looked straight ahead. It was quite nice actually, she had to admit. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. "It's beautiful," she whispered.

"Exactly," Harry said, slowing down.

"There's something I need to tell you," she said.

"What's that?" Harry asked shifting as she held him tighter.

She bit her bottom lip. "My ring, Harry. Gordon took my ring after he knocked me out. I don't know what he did with it...I asked him to give it back, but he wouldn't. I'm so sorry."

Harry dug into his pocket for a moment. "This ring?" he held it up.

Hermione stared at in disbelief. "But, how?"

"He sent it back with the note you wrote...the note that helped us figure out where you were." Harry motioned for her to hold up her left hand.

Her hand was shaking as she did as he indicated. "I can't believe it. I thought I'd never see it again."

"I'd have torn apart his flat if he hid it there," Harry said, his eyes darkening momentarily before he slid the ring onto her finger. "There now, it's back where it belongs."

She wrapped her arms around his waist again. "I love you for this...for everything."

"I'd do anything for you," Harry said.

"I know," she whispered. "I'd do anything for you."

*** *** ***

Harry kept his arm wrapped around Hermione as they walked along the pavement towards her parents' house. "Are you sure you're ready to face everyone?" He asked. "I know last night you were a little weary."

Hermione smiled at him. "I feel much better today. Thanks to you."

"I'll bet it was because of the flying?" Harry nudged her playfully. "I knew it would help clear your head."

Hermione shook her head. "The flying did help, but I think it had more to do with who I was flying with actually."

"Right," Harry replied with a smile. "You'll have to let me know when you want to go again."

She nodded and followed him up the steps. Last night when they'd returned home, he'd held her until she fell asleep. Luckily, she hadn't dreamed of Gordon at all. She hoped she wouldn't, but she still kept seeing visions of him and what had happened in her head.

Harry knocked on the front door, his right arm still around her shoulders. "If you get too overwhelmed we can always go home..."

"I'll be okay," she whispered, leaning against him for support.

Robert answered the door, a smile on his face as he saw his daughter and future son in law. "How are you today, sweetheart?" he asked, giving her a hug.

"Much better, Daddy," she answered. "What is that wonderful smell?"

"Pumpkin pie," Robert grinned at them.

"I knew we came over here for a good reason," Harry teased.

"Word of warning," Robert said, lowering his voice. "Malcolm is here."

"Oh no," Harry's face fell. "Does he blame me for what happened?"

"You, me, Seamus," Robert said with a shrug. "He doesn't even know your friend Ron, but he's been giving him the third degree since he and Luna arrived."

Hermione stifled a laugh.

"Great," Harry groaned. "Love, mind if I skip out?" he was only half kidding.

"If you can get me to fly, you can certainly spend an hour or so with my scary grandfather," Hermione answered him.

"All right," Harry said reluctantly. Robert patted his shoulder as they went inside and into the living room where everyone was gathered.

"Hermione!" Cho exclaimed, getting up from the sofa. She handed Chiaki off to Neville and enveloped her friend in a hug.

"It's great to see all of you again," Hermione said, trying not to cry.

"Oh don't start crying or you'll make the rest of us start!" Luna also got up and embraced her friend. "I'm so glad you're okay Hermione."

"Me, too," Hermione said with a laugh. "Me too."

Ron was trying to make his way over to Hermione as well, but her grandfather didn't seem to be in any hurry to let him go.

Harry sat down by Elinore. "She seems to be bouncing back pretty quick." he said as Lavender, Seamus and everyone else greeted her.

"Was she okay last night?" Elinore asked.

"Not at first," Harry replied. "She was having some sort of nightmare and that's when we went home. I took her flying and that really seemed to help her. That and I gave her back her engagement ring." He smiled.

"You took her flying?" Elinore asked, amazed. "And her ring! That's fantastic!" She gave Harry a hug. "I am so glad that she has you, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry hugged her back. "And I'm glad I have her. These last few days have been awful but I think everything's going to be all right." he leaned in. "I heard from my professor this morning. Gordon's taking up permanent residence at St. Mungo's."

Elinore nodded. "Perhaps he'll be able to get the help he needs now. I still can't get over what he did to his parents..."

"I know," Harry shuddered. "Really blows my mind and I never even met them."

"They were really good people," Elinore said, tears welling up in her eyes. "They certainly didn't deserve this." She looked over at Hermione who was holding Chiaki.

"She looks like a natural doesn't she?" Harry sat back.

"That she does," Elinore smiled. "I promise not to ask you for grandchildren until after the two of you are married."

Harry laughed. "I think Hermione would rather have her career set first before having any kids," he thought back to when they thought she was pregnant.

"What's this about having children?" a gruff voice asked behind them. "You haven't gotten my granddaughter pregnant, have you?"

"Dad!" Elinore said a horrified expression on her face.

"No, I haven't," Harry replied. "We were talking about a few years down the line," he didn't want this man to know how much he intimidated him.

"Dad," Elinore said getting to her feet. "You do know that Robert made some of those biscuits you like so much didn't you?"

Malcolm sniffed. "He doesn't put enough sugar in them."

"Grandpa," Hermione came over to them. "Did you get to see my friends' baby Chiaki?"

"Why don't I take Chiaki," Elinore said, gingerly taking the baby from Hermione. "And we'll leave you and Harry to get settled."

Hermione smiled gratefully at her mother. "Sorry about that," she said sitting down beside Harry. "I tried to get to you sooner."

"It's all right," Harry said. "I've just been talking to your mum."

"About me?" she asked.

"A little," Harry said.

Hermione laughed and cuddled close to him. "Luna and Cho can't believe you actually got me on a broom. They think I made it all up."

Harry smirked and put his arm around her. "They're probably just jealous that Ron and Neville don't take them flying."

Hermione looked across the room and saw that Malcolm had once again cornered Ron.

"Poor Ron," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry sniggered. "He probably doesn't know what to make of him."

Hermione smiled and for a few moments she and Harry just sat cuddled close together watching their friends and family. "I wanted to thank you again for being so sweet and patient and understanding with me last night," she finally whispered.

Harry looked down at her. "Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. "You just went through something horrible and I'd have done anything for you last night, I was just so glad to have you back safe and sound."

"I know," She said looking back at him. "I just wanted you to know I appreciated it. I didn't think it was actually possible to love you more than I already did, but you proved me wrong last night."

"I'd like to prove you even more wrong later," Harry joked. "But only if you want to."

"We'll see," she said softly.

Neville came over to them carrying two dessert plates. "Your dad asked me to bring these over."

"Thank you!" Harry seized the plates. "Have I mentioned your dad is fantastic?"

"You've never said that actually," Neville said, answering for Hermione. "In fact, I remember this past summer you actually said...well, it's not important now."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at Harry. "You talked bad about my father, did you?"

Harry glared at Neville. "I never said anything bad about him; Neville's just being a git."

"It's okay," Hermione smiled at him. “I said some bad things about him this summer, too. Mostly because he was being so damn stubborn, which explains where I get it from, doesn't it?"

"Aye," Harry said. "It does."

"Hermione!" Ron hissed coming up to them. "Your grandfather is mental! He makes Severus Snape look like a warm, fuzzy bunny."

Harry laughed hard at Ron's analogy while Hermione looked puzzled.

"Who is this Snape person you two are always talking about and why does Neville pale at the mere mention of him?" Hermione asked.

"He was this professor back at school," Harry explained. "He... well let's just say he gives Thackeray a run for the money in the Biggest Arse of All category."

"Your grandfather has nothing on him, though," Ron said. "Hermione, he keeps asking me what I do for a living and it sort of took me by surprise. Your mum told me he doesn't know about what we all are and so I was trying to rack my brain for something and I told him I worked in a shop...but he thought I was lying."

"He's a bit old fashioned," Hermione explained.

"He's a bit scary," Ron corrected her.

"That too," Hermione smiled a bit. "But he's my grandfather and he loves me."

"He's not the only one," Ron said, bending down and pecking Hermione on the cheek. "We're all really glad to have you home."

"Thanks Ron," Hermione got up and hugged him tightly.

Ron grinned back at her and then went off to go and find Luna. Cho came back over to them carrying Chiaki. "Hermione? Who are Magda and Suzette? Your mother seems to think they're going to be in your wedding party."

Hermione groaned. "Lavender was supposed to talk her out of that," she put her head in her hands.

Harry patted her on the back. "It's going to be okay, love."

"No you don't understand," Hermione replied. "My mother is plotting my wedding with two French twits I can't stand!"

Cho listened as Hermione gave her a brief history of her Beauxbatons classmates. "Can't you just tell you mum you don't want them there?" Cho asked. "Your mum's usually pretty reasonable."

"I've told her, and so has Lavender," she got up with a sigh. "I guess I'd better go do some damage control."

"Good luck," Cho called out to her. Cho turned to Harry and gave him a hug. "She seems to be doing okay."

"Yeah she's going to be fine," Harry replied, his eyes following her across the room.

"And you took her flying?" Cho asked.

"Aye, I did." Harry replied. "Last night around midnight."

"Late night flight," Cho said dreamily. "How romantic. I haven't been flying in ages...not since we left Hogwarts."

"Talk to your husband about that," Harry leaned back and stuffed a large bite of pie in his mouth.

"You do remember his first flight on a broom, don't you?" Cho asked. "I think I'll leave that alone..."

Harry laughed as he set the empty plate on the table and took Chiaki from her. "Aye, but I'm sure he's gotten a little better since then."

"He hasn't," Cho laughed. "But I still love him."

"Right," Harry kissed Chiaki's pink forehead. "I can't believe how big she's gotten already." the baby gurgled and stared him at him.

"I know," Cho said smiling down at her daughter, who crooked her small hand around Harry's finger. "I think she's crazy about you."

"The feeling is completely mutual," Harry replied. "I hope when I do have a kid someday it's just like her."

"Who knows...maybe they'll be best friends," Cho said smiling at him. "You and Hermione need to get to work so there isn't too much of an age difference between them."

"We need to get married first," Harry bounced Chiaki gently in his arms. "We're going for next June."

"Next June, eh?" Cho asked. "Hearts all over the world will be broken when the Most Eligible Wizard Bachelor takes a wife..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Guess they'll all have to live with it."

"If they knew what you were really like, they probably wouldn't be so heartbroken," Cho teased.

"Thanks a lot," Harry replied, grinning at her. "This comes from the woman who I supposedly got pregnant."

"Very funny," Cho said glaring at him, but her eyes were twinkling. "Chiaki? Can you say egomaniac?"

"Can you say spoiled rotten?" Harry quipped back.

"Cute," Cho said, taking the baby back from him. "I'm going to go see if I can find Neville."

"Right," Harry got up to look for Hermione.

Hermione was in the kitchen, talking to her mother. "Mum, I'm not going to budge on this...I don't want either of those girls in my wedding party. I'd rather have two random people off the street than either of them."

Harry smiled as he walked in with the empty plate. "Am I interrupting anything?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "Thankfully."

Elinore frowned. "Hermione sweetheart, you need at least one or two more bridesmaids. Harry, how many groomsmen do you have?"

"I actually haven't asked anyone yet," Harry answered. "But I guess I'd have Seamus, Ron, and Neville."

Elinore shook her head. "You need another."

"Mum!" Hermione said. "You can't tell Harry how many groomsmen to have!"

"I could ask my mate Dean," Harry said, hoping to assuage the situation. "He went to school with all of us."

Elinore smiled. "How perfect then! Four apiece will do nicely!"

"I don't have four," Hermione hissed. "I have three, Mum."

"You can find another girl," Elinore said calmly. "I'm sure you can."

"Fine," Hermione said. "But it won't be Magda or Suzette."

"All right," Elinore conceded.

"Mum, shouldn't you go check on Daddy and make sure he's not fighting with Grandpa?" Hermione asked.

"Good idea," Elinore said. "I'd like to get together with you soon so we can reserve a hall for the reception and you two will have to tell me where you want to be married at."

"It's over a year away," Hermione answered, but her mother had already left the kitchen. "Geez..."

"She's just excited," Harry said. "Cant' blame her, I'm really looking forward to it myself."

"Me, too," Hermione whispered.

Harry leaned over and kissed her gently. "I love you," he said softly.

"I love you, too," she said softly. "So much..."

Harry kissed her again, this time winding his arms around her waist and pulling her close.

Hermione deepened the kiss as Harry pushed her back against the counter.

He lifted her up as she wrapped her legs around his middle. He sat her on the countertop as Hermione pushed her hands through his hair.

"Harry," she breathed, knowing that this was getting out of control fast and anyone could walk in at any second, but she didn't care.

"I know," he muttered, pulling away reluctantly.

"We'll finish this up later," she promised.

"All right," he caressed her cheek as she slid down. "I guess we'd better rejoin the party before we're missed." Harry grimaced suddenly. "Especially by your grandfather."

"You really are intimidated by him, aren't you?" she asked, reaching up to smooth down his hair.

"Don't ever tell anyone that," Harry replied. "I just want him to know that I'm good enough for you."

"He knows," Hermione reassured him. "He just has a different way of showing it..."

"You're not kidding," Harry made a face and she laughed.

"Come on, Mr. Wonderful," she said, smiling as she led him back into the living room.

"Please tell me you weren't doing what I think you were doing in there," Lavender said pulling a face. "We eat in there you know!"

"Well I guess you should wipe down the table," Harry shot back. Hermione pulled on his arm.

"Very funny, Lav," Hermione said, pulling Harry away.

"Why do they always assume we're doing that when we're alone?" Harry asked.

"Because we usually are," Hermione answered simply.

"Right," Harry pulled her close.

"Hermione Jane," Malcolm Brown said, coming up behind them. "You haven't given your old Grandpa a hug all day."

"I'm sorry Grandpa," Hermione hugged him tightly. "I'm glad you're here."

"I'm glad that I'm here too, sweetheart," he said, not noticing the look of amazement on Harry's face. "When your Mum told me what happened, I was really worried."

"Well..." Hermione looked down. "I was too trusting... I'm just glad Harry was there to get me out of that place."

Malcolm turned and looked at Harry. "You helped bring her home?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied.

Malcolm looked at his granddaughter and then did the most surprising thing. He held out his hand to Harry. "Thank you for bringing her home."

Harry shook it firmly. "I'd do anything for her," he smiled at his fiancée.

Malcolm just nodded before walking away.

"Wow," Hermione said. "That's... the nicest I've even seen him be to anyone outside of the family."

"I probably shouldn't tell your dad that," Harry said, still somewhat in disbelief at what had just transpired.

Hermione giggled. "Maybe not. He might get jealous."

Harry laughed. "And he finally likes me now, so I don't want to jeopardize that."

"Of course not," Hermione hugged him around the middle.

"When do you think you'll be ready to go back to classes?" Harry asked gently.

"Soon," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I don't want to miss out on anything, and I can't leave Anna with all the work just because of Gordon."

Harry tensed up. "There's something we didn't tell you about the day Gordon took you. Someone saw him take you, but..."

"What?" Hermione asked. "What didn't you tell me?"

"It seems Anna walked into an empty classroom where Gordon was holding you," Harry explained. "He...he used a memory charm on her..."

"Oh Merlin," Hermione clapped her hands over her mouth. "Please tell me... please tell me she's..."

"He didn't wipe her memories out completely," Harry said, putting a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "He just wiped out her memories of the last couple of weeks. She's doing okay, but she's still a little shaken up."

Hermione tried to fight a new onslaught of tears. "It's all my fault..."

Harry pulled her close. "Hermione, no...it wasn't your fault. You didn't do this. Gordon did. I'm not going to let you blame yourself for this."

"I know but she'd be fine if she wasn't concerned about me." Hermione shook her head.

Harry cupped her face in his hands. "Don't do this to yourself, Hermione. This wasn't your fault. You didn't know he was going to do any of this."

Hermione tried to look down to hide the tears that pooled in her eyes. "Do you think she'll hate me?"

"I know she won't," Harry said softly. "She keeps asking everyone how you are and if you're okay. From what Lupin's told me, she was relieved to know that you were home."

"She's a nice girl," Hermione replied, taking a deep breath. "I'm not going to get worked up over this. Gordon can't hurt anyone anymore right?"

"That's right," he said, taking his thumb and wiping a tear from her cheek.

"All right," she released a shuddery sigh.

"You still up for the party?" he asked her. "I'm sure everyone would understand if you wanted to go home."

"No we can stick around for a bit," Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it. "Long as you promise not to leave me alone."

"I promise," he said, kissing her forehead.

*** *** ***

A couple of days later, Hermione was ready to go back to classes. She was still feeling a little skittish and on edge, but Harry had more than helped with that. He'd been so supportive and loving over the last few days, Hermione knew she'd never have been able to get through all of it without him.

Today was also his first day back at training. He'd volunteered to walk her to her classes and though she knew he'd be late for his own training in doing so, she took him up on his offer. "It seems like ages since I was last here," Hermione said as they walked along the cobblestone sidewalk toward her class.

"Well a lot has happened since then," Harry said, squeezing her shoulders.

"That's the understatement of the year," she said.

Harry laughed and pulled her close. "I'm sure your professor will be glad to see you back."

She nodded. "Harry, do you mind if I ask you something? I know my situation isn't nowhere near anything like what you went through, but right after you fought Voldemort...how did you feel? Were all of your classmates looking at you...asking questions?"

"I was shoved face first into the spotlight," Harry replied. "And it sort of pissed me off; I mean I didn't think I deserved any special attention. I did what anyone would have done in my place."

"How did you get through all of it?" she asked.

"I had good friends," Harry smiled. "Very, very good friends."

"So do I," Hermione said, looking up at him. "And a very wonderful fiancé."

Harry grinned at her. "I'm glad to see you out and about rather than moping. You're very strong Hermione."

"I don't know about that," she said blushing. "Those nightmares and clinging to you...I felt like such a child. I wanted to put on a strong face for you and everyone else, but it's like I didn't even know how much it affected me, until I came home."

"It could have turned out worse," Harry said. "And there's nothing wrong with being scared. You're not letting it rule your life."

"Trying not to anyway," she said with a slight smile.

"You're not," Harry said. "And everyone was surprised to see how fast you bounced back. When we were at your parents' house the other day Lavender told me that everyone was set to fawn over you until they saw how collected you were when we walked in."

Hermione nodded. "I wouldn't have been able to be that way without you. You've been really great throughout this whole ordeal. I know I've said it so much, but it's the truth."

"And I'd do anything for you," Harry replied.

She smiled. "If I didn't know that beforehand, I surely do now."

Harry kept her by his side as they came to the classroom. He noticed her tense as they stood outside the door. "It's all right sweetheart, you know he's not in there."

Hermione nodded. "I know, it's just..."

"I know," Harry replied.

Hermione took a deep breath. "You should probably get going. You're already late."

"I'll walk you in," Harry said.

Hermione nodded and allowed him to lead her inside the room.

Harry nodded to her professor as she followed him into the classroom. "Where do you normally sit?" he asked quietly.

Hermione turned around to the seat she usually sat in which was a couple of rows back from the front of the classroom. An image of Gordon sitting beside her taking notes flashed in her head. She gripped Harry's hand.

"It's all right," Harry said in a soft, soothing voice. "I'm sure your professor won't mind if you sit somewhere else..." he looked around, glad that only a few of her classmates had arrived.

"You can sit beside me," a voice said from behind them.

Harry jumped and turned around to see a redhead girl standing behind them.

"Hi, you must be Harry," Anna Golden said, extending her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Hi Anna," Harry shook her hand. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she said, smiling at him. "How are you, Hermione?"

"I'm doing all right," Hermione said, looking at her friend. "Anna I'm so sorry about what Gordon did to you. If there's anything I can do--"

Anna looked at Hermione with a confused expression on her face. "Why are you apologizing Hermione? Gordon was the one who did it, not you."

"I know that but if it weren't for me you wouldn't have even gone in there," Hermione said.

"I heard some noises and I went to check it out," Anna said simply. "You'd have done the same for me, wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would have," Hermione said, biting her lower lip.

"And it could have been much worse," Anna said, trying to reassure Hermione. "He could have wiped out all of my memories instead of what he did. I don't want you to blame yourself for any of this, Hermione. I certainly don't blame you."

"All right," Hermione said. "Thank you," she reached forward and hugged the other girl.

"I'm just glad you're okay," Anna said.

"Same here," Hermione wiped a tear from her eye. "I think I'll be okay Harry," she turned to her fiancé. "I don't want you to be any later than you already are."

"Okay," he said, kissing her cheek. "I'm going to try and meet you for lunch, okay?"

"All right," Hermione held onto him a moment. "I'll see you in a few hours then."

Harry nodded. "It was really nice to meet you, Anna."

"Nice to meet you, too," Anna said smiling at him.

Hermione watched him go. "He's really amazing," she said softly as they sat down.

"And he obviously feels the same way about you," Anna said, reaching into her bag and pulling out some parchment.

"Thank goodness for that," Hermione murmured. "He's been a steady shoulder since everything happened with Gordon. I can't believe how stupid I was for so long about him."

"He had everyone fooled," Anna said reassuringly. "I don't know...I always felt there wasn't something quite right about him."

"That's what everyone said. Everyone but me," Hermione sighed. "It'll be awhile before I trust people so quickly again."

"Don't beat yourself up about it," Anna told her.

"I'm trying not to," Hermione said.

"If you ever need anyone to talk about it with, I'll listen," Anna said. "I remember when they found me...it was so strange. I didn't know how I'd gotten there. When they told me what day it was, I was so frightened."

"That's horrible," Hermione said softly. "Has anything slipped through?"

Anna shook her head. "No, but I'm going to be okay. I just keep trying to tell myself that I was lucky. It could have been much worse."

"You're right," Hermione said. "It could have been much worse, for both of us. You could be sitting in St. Mungo's and I could be... Gordon's... lapdog..." she shuddered.

"Just keep telling yourself that and you'll be okay," Anna said. "With that and that handsome boyfriend of yours..."

"Fiancé," Hermione held up her ring.

Anna laughed. "I stand corrected. Fiancé."

"It only happened this past weekend. When I came in Monday you saw the ring and Gordon heard us talking about it." Hermione said. "I think that's what made him snap."

"The straw that broke the camel's back," Anna said, shaking her head. "From what they told me, he's really messed up."

"He's gone mad," Hermione twisted her ring around her finger. "Harry told me they've got him in a ward at St. Mungo's now. There's talk of sending him to the same place his parents are at."

"You're still scared, though, aren't you?" Anna asked gently.

"A little," Hermione confessed. "I mean, I haven't seen him since we left his flat that night Harry and my dad came for me. People can tell Harry things, but until I see him for myself I'll always be a little scared."

"I can understand that," Anna said. "But you know what might help...what if you went to visit him yourself? It might give you closure."

"You think?" Hermione asked. "I thought about that myself..."

"I do," Anna said. "It might be the only way you can close that chapter on your life and move on."

"You're probably right," Hermione said. "I'll talk to Harry about going over there this weekend."

Anna nodded. "So did you guys set a wedding date yet?"

"Next June," Hermione replied. "Two years to the day that we first saw one another."

"That's so sweet," Anna gushed.

"Harry's really romantic about things like this," Hermione turned a bit pink. "Most guys don't remember dates and anniversaries."

"You're telling me," Anna said, laughing. "My boyfriend is terrible."

"What does he think about everything that happened?" Hermione asked curiously.

Anna looked thoughtfully at Hermione. "At first, he wanted to beat Gordon to a bloody pulp. Still does, truth be told, but I told him that it didn't matter since I was okay."

Hermione nodded. "He'd probably get along quite well with Harry. He's always hated Gordon."

"Perhaps we could go on a double date some time," Anna suggested.

"That sounds like fun," Hermione said. "Maybe in the next few weekends sometime we can all have dinner and maybe go dancing."

"Well, I'm with you on the dinner at least," Anna said. "But Luke's not much for dancing."

"I wasn't either until Harry showed me how," Hermione said.

"That's how the two of you met, isn't it?" Anna asked. "I read the article in the Quibbler."

"Yeah, at a resort during the summer holiday," Hermione replied. "I was helping out him and Cho and it just blossomed from there.”

"And now you're getting married," Anna said, winking at her.

Hermione laughed. "And now we're getting married," she echoed.

*** *** ***

Harry ran his fingers through Hermione's long hair as they lay together in bed. The sheets were twisted around them as they had just made love and he was quite content now to just stay there the rest of the evening with her.

Hermione lifted her head from Harry's chest and smiled at him. "That was just what I needed."

"Same here," Harry grinned. "I don't want to move for the rest of the night, unless it involves you in the shower."

"That might be arranged," she said huskily. She rested her head back on his chest and thought about the best way to phrase what she was about to tell him.

Harry closed his eyes and was starting to drift off when her voice jolted him awake. "What?" he asked.

She slid over onto her own pillow so she could look at him properly. "I was thinking about doing something and I wanted to know how you felt about it."

“What's that?" Harry yawned.

"I want to go and see Gordon," Hermione answered.

At first, Harry thought he'd heard her wrong? "What did you say?"

"I said I wanted to go and see Gordon," Hermione repeated.

Harry was silent a moment. "Why?" he finally said.

"You don't think I should, do you?" she asked.

"Why would you want to?" he avoided her question. "Hermione... the bloke is mad."

"I know," Hermione said. She put her hand on Harry's arm. "I need to do this for me, Harry. I can keep telling myself that he's away and he can't hurt me again, but how can I be really sure of that? I need to do this to get some sort of closure. I was talking about it with Anna today and she said it may be the only way I can close that chapter of my life and move on."

"But I told you he's in St. Mungo's," Harry objected, turning on his side to look at her.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I was hoping you could talk to Lupin to see about getting me in. Please, Harry. I know you don't understand, but I really need to do this."

Harry was silent for a good minute or two. "If it means that much to you..."

"It does," she said. "I would really like it if you'd come with me, too...for moral support."

"All right," Harry kissed her gently. "I'll see if he can set it up for Saturday."

"Thank you," she said, caressing his cheek.

"You're welcome," Harry said. "Now how about that shower?"

*** *** ***

Harry held Hermione's hand as they sat in the waiting room at St. Mungo's. Truth be told, Harry still wasn't keen on this. Hermione, however, insisted it was something she had to do. He may not understand it, but he was going to support her.

"It shouldn't be too much longer," he said reassuringly to her.

Hermione nodded, her leg bouncing nervously.

"If you've changed your mind, we can go back home," he said softly.

"No," Hermione said. "I really need to do this."

He squeezed her hand. "We can even go flying afterwards if you want," he said winking at her, trying to make her smile.

Hermione curved her lips up weakly. "Maybe," she replied.

A mediwizard came up to them. "Miss Granger? They're ready for you now."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you," she stood up.

"Did you want me to go back with you?" Harry asked, standing up with her.

She nodded. "Please," she whispered.

Harry was glad she said yes. He didn't want to leave her alone with Gordon Devereaux. He just hoped he'd be able to keep his own emotions in check.

"We assure you that you will be safe," the mediwizard said, leading them through a set of double doors. "There are a number of safety wards placed on the room."

"All right," That made Hermione feel a little better. "Thank you."

They stopped at Room 342 and the mediwizard held the door open for them. "Take as long as you need," she said, ushering them inside.

Hermione stepped in hesitantly, her stomach fluttering madly. She gripped Harry's hand tightly.

Gordon sat on the opposite side of the room from them; his legs were pulled up to his chest and he was rocking back and forth on his bed. His hair was dishevelled and his skin was quite pale. When he saw Hermione walk into the room, his face lit up.

"Hermione," he said hoarsely. "You came to see me."

"I uh..." Hermione didn't know what to say. "I had to make sure you were safe..." she pressed against Harry, who put his arm around her protectively.

"I didn't finish the project," he said morosely. "I've left you with all the work."

"I have a new partner," she answered quietly.

Gordon nodded. "It's so dark in here, Hermione. Can you come a bit closer?"

"No," Hermione replied.

Gordon nodded and continued rocking back and forth. "We were going to go to Iceland, you and me. But, I messed things up...messed things up so badly. Hurt you...never wanted to do that. Only wanted to love you...but...messed up."

Hermione felt a twinge of sympathy for the pathetic person in front of her. "You're going to get the help you need now," she said quietly.

Gordon started to sob. "Why did he come with you?" he asked, looking down at the marble floor.

"He's here to take care of me," Hermione said.

"He was always there," Gordon said in a voice barely above a whisper. "He was always there...I hate him. He took what was mine."

"Hermione was never yours," Harry refused to feel sorry for this other man.

"I KNOW THAT!" Gordon suddenly screamed. "I KNOW THAT!" His outburst was so sudden that Hermione jumped. "SHE COULD HAVE BEEN MINE!" Gordon yelled. "SHE COULD HAVE BEEN!"

Harry pushed Hermione behind him, his wand already drawn. "Settle down Gordon," he warned.

Gordon winced and eased further back on his bed. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Hermione."

"It's okay," Hermione's voice shook slightly. She looked at Harry, who put his arm down and she approached the centre of the room slowly. "Look... I just came in to see that you're getting the help you need. I'm glad you are. It should have happened a long time ago."

Gordon nodded. "You're so beautiful, Hermione. Inside and out...I always saw that."

"Thank you," she said quietly.

"I love you," he whispered. "I did this for you."

"You don't love me," Hermione said gently. "You think you do."

"I love you, love you, love you," Gordon said, starting to rock again. "Never meant to hurt you...loved you..."

Hermione backed away. "I have to leave now," she said. "Good... good luck Gordon." she knew she was never going to see him again.

"We have to get going, Hermione," Gordon said, smiling at her as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. "I made so many plans. It's going to be cold, but I'll be there to keep you warm."

"Gordon," Harry warned. "Don't start."

"I'm really sorry that you had to find out about us this way, Harry," Gordon said apologetically. "We didn't want to hurt you, did we Hermione?"

"Gordon," Hermione's voice shook. "Don't do this to yourself. You're getting the help you need but you can't live in this fantasy world."

Gordon vehemently shook his head. "I DON'T NEED HELP! I NEED YOU!"

"All right," Harry had his wand out again. "That's more than enough," his voice was threatening.

Gordon laughed. "I don't think so, Potter. Don't you know that every single time she was with you, she was thinking of me...wanting me, needing me...just as I needed her..."

"Let's go Harry," Hermione's voice was trembling slightly but her tone was strong. "This was a mistake coming here."

"I'll be waiting for you, Hermione," Gordon said menacingly. "I'll always be waiting for you."

Cold terror seized her but she shook her head. "You'll never leave here," her voice was confident. "They'll never let you go even if you get better." Harry nodded at her and squeezed her hand.

Gordon began to rock back and forth again, whispering something incoherent.

"Come on sweetheart," Harry said. "Let's go." he tucked his wand back in his pocket and opened the door as Gordon began to sob loudly.

"Don't go, Hermione," Gordon called out to her as Harry closed the door behind them. "Don't go Hermione! DON'T GO!"

Hermione hugged Harry tightly. "That was just..."

"I know," Harry said, kissing her forehead. "It's over now. You don't have to see him ever again."

Hermione nodded, burying her face in his shoulder. "They'll really keep him locked up right?"

"Yes," Harry said reassuringly.

She nodded. "I'm glad I saw him," she said. "Anna was right- I know he's locked up and can't get out no matter what he does. I won’t let him get to me."

"That's right," Harry said, still holding on to her. She was still shaking somewhat and he cupped her face in his hands. "Everything's okay, Hermione. I promise."

She nodded again. "Thank you for coming in there with me Harry."

He smiled at her. "I wouldn't have let you go through that alone."

Hermione smiled back at him. "Come on, let's go home."

They thanked the people at the desk and left the hospital. "Things are going to get better now aren't they?" Hermione asked. "I mean... now that Gordon is getting help, and you and I are engaged..."

"They sure are," he said, smiling at her. "Everything's just as it should be."

"Must be," Hermione leaned against him. "Everyone's happy and doing well in careers. I still plan on being Minister for Magic someday."

"I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do they call the spouse of the Minister?" Harry asked her cheekily. "Mr. Minister for Magic?"

Hermione laughed out loud, making Harry grin. "I like the sound of that," she teased.

"I don't know how I feel about that," Harry said laughing. "I'll have to have a think on that."

"How does Minister Granger- Potter sound?" Hermione grinned. "Maybe I should just keep my own name. People might think I'm just using your name to elevate my status."

"Whichever way you want to go is fine by me," Harry said. "Neville said the first thing I should learn about being married is that the wife is always right..."

"He's certainly got the right idea," Hermione said as they turned down the street to their house.

Harry smiled at her. "Home again, home again..."

"Home again," Hermione hugged him hard. "Thank you again for going with me Harry."

"Of course," he said, hugging her back. "I wouldn't have let you do that alone, Hermione."

"What do you want to do?" she asked, following him inside the cottage. "It's nice to be on holiday. Nothing to do for a change."

He smiled. The two of them had been so preoccupied over the past few months and the entire ordeal with Gordon had taken over so much of their time. It was nice to not have anything to worry about but each other, Harry thought.

"Doesn't matter to me what we do," Harry said, squeezing her hand.

"We could always start our wedding plans," Hermione smiled at him. "Especially before my mother takes charge. She'll have you lot wearing frilly light blue tuxedos."

"It couldn't be worse than those awful dress robes Ron had at Hogwarts," Harry said with a laugh. "I am going to have to see if I can find a picture of him in those."

"Tell me about them. Maybe we can trick him and make him think that's what he has to wear." Hermione grinned. She wanted to laugh and feel good after everything that had happened.

Harry chuckled. "They were awful, Hermione. We had to have them for the Yule Ball during our Fourth Year. Ron's were this horrible maroon colour with lace. He tried to remove the lace with every charm known to man..."

Hermione giggled. "Well once we get a picture we can play around," she replied. "He's the easiest one to tease next to Cho."

"It's really great to hear you laugh again," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

"It's good TO laugh again," Hermione leaned into him. "You're the best Harry, you know that? To put up with me like this."

"I'd be nothing without you, Hermione," Harry said, kissing the top of her head. "And you couldn't get rid of me if you tried, Granger. You're stuck with me."

"Aren't I the lucky one," Hermione kissed his cheek.

"Yes, you are," he teased.

"Come on," Hermione tugged at his hand. "Let's start listening to some songs so we can figure out what we want ours to be."

"Brilliant idea," Harry said, following her over to their stereo system.

The End

Author’s note:

We’re not through with you guys, yet! The next story in this little universe is a semi-short (well for us anyway) fan fiction titled “At Last”. Set a year after the events of “Time of their Lives”, Harry and Hermione’s wedding is just around the corner. Getting married is going to be the easy part. Getting there is going to take the help of their friends and family. Be there with your favourite couple every step of the way as they plan the wedding of their dreams.