Think What You Want

Olivia Weasley

Rating: PG
Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Ron & Luna
Book: Ron & Luna, Books 1 - 5
Published: 29/08/2004
Last Updated: 18/10/2004
Status: Paused

No one has ever noticed the life of Luna Lovegood. Who she likes, how she lives, and who her family is. She deals with boys, friends, and many hardships, and she needs someone to lean on...Who will be there? (Paused. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

1. Chapter One


A/N: This is my first ever R/L fanfiction… I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I hope other people are too. I'm working hard to make all of the chapters at least 3,000 words, since I have a habit of writing short chapters and I need to break it! Reviewers, please tell me your comments, criticisms, and suggestions, they'll be very much appreciated. Oh, and thank you to my beta, Sundari Harmony, for pointing out many various and careless mistakes!

Hope you enjoy it!

Think What You Want

Chapter One

Thanks to life, Luna had lost her mother. The one person she could trust with her secrets, the one person that she could confide in. She had lost her to the horrible ways of witchcraft, while making a potion. A stupid experiment some might call it; something that she didn't have to do. But that was her mother's personality. She always did the things that no one thought possible, always believed in the unthinkable. People had to respect her for who she was. Luna had learned to do that, and she was becoming more like her mother after her death than prior to it. Her father always told her that she had her mother's voice, her mother's eyes, her mother's every quality. It always used to make Luna feel happy to know she was like her mother when she was little, but now that she was older…she was getting rather tired of it. Don't get her wrong, Luna loved her father and mother with all of her heart, but she just wanted to be her own person; a person who no one could relate her to. She set that as her goal in life, and she finally achieved it when she first set foot into Hogwarts.

When she first arrived at Hogwarts, people labeled her weird, strange, abnormal, or whatever one may call it. It made her sad to know that people mistook her individuality for peculiarity, and she spent many days and nights sitting in the corner of a corridor crying until someone asked her if she was alright, then she would head up to the Ravenclaw Tower. She didn't have any friends, which made things slightly worse. But she didn't think she needed friends. All she concentrated on were her studies and the many things she believed in. She didn't have time to meddle with things such as boys, gossip, dating, and friends. All she needed was herself… or so she thought. Many times she found herself lonely during the night, staring at the stars and the constellations. The only person that she could really relate to was her father, but he was always so wound up in his work and he wasn't at Hogwarts, when she was teased and alone.

“Why don't you invite one of your school friends over to our house?” her father asked at the most random of times. Luna always just simply answered,

“I'll see them in the school term Daddy, what's the use of seeing them in my time at home?” Her father frowned at her and usually asked no further questions. The horrible truth was that she didn't have any friends to ask if they could come over. If she did ask someone, they'd probably be shocked that Loony Lovegood would ask such a question. But something had happened the previous year that would change the fact that she had no friends…and would change her life as well.

The big change had been made by Harry Potter and his friends in that unforgettable year. His friends were Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasley, Neville Longbottom, and Ginny Weasley. Luna didn't know any of them earlier that year, but grew to know them as very entertaining people. Hermione Granger was one girl who thought that she was never wrong, and she always thought she was right. Luna always felt like Hermione was annoyed by her, and by the time she knew what Hermione was like, it became fun to see her reactions when Luna talked about things that didn't have any proof whatsoever. She always wondered why Harry's other best friend, Ronald Weasley, always had a row with Hermione. Then again, a part of Luna always thought Ronald had feelings for her.

Ronald was a boy who was a bit disturbed by Luna. Whenever she so much as glanced at him, he always looked very uncomfortable. It wasn't Luna's fault she was a people-watcher, it was one of the things that interested her. But there was something about Ronald that intrigued Luna. His red hair, freckles, and many expressions made him…well…to say the least it made him a very likeable person. She could remember when she had discomfited herself on the train last year, when Ronald was sitting in her compartment with his friends. He had made a joke about Gregory Goyle, one of Draco Malfoy's cronies. Luna had laughed so hard that she made the owls spook and caused everyone to look at her with alarm. Ronald was a bit taken aback at her episode, and Luna was slightly embarrassed. She had to hide it of course, but when she got out of the compartment she swore to herself for humiliating herself like that. Surely he had forgotten all about it, but she sure hadn't.

Ginny Weasley, Ronald's brother, always told Luna that Ron get very uncomfortable around people who knew more than he did. Luna took that as a compliment and took a liking to Ginny. She always talked to Luna when no one else would, and she was the closest thing to a friend that Luna had ever had in school. They were in the same year, so they had most of the same classes. Sometimes Luna even went over to sit by Ginny during mealtimes when she was feeling lonely, which was quite often nowadays.

The other friend that Harry Potter had was Neville Longbottom, a very forgetful boy who always took a fright whenever Luna spoke to him. She didn't know why he was the way he was, but she supposed there had to be some explanation for it…even if no one knew about it. He was a nice boy once you got past his anxious exterior, and he even talked to her a couple of times in the past. But he would never loose his nervous personality; people just had to accept it.

Everyone Luna had met in the last year had took some sort of toll on her life and how it now runs it's course, and she was glad for it. She was edging to see them in the next term, which was only hours away. She couldn't wait for the next school year, it was sure to be a very promising one at that. That night's events took a very strong input in her life as well; she saw that when it came down to it, friends were willing to put their lives down for each other.

Luna sighed as she walked over to her Hogwarts trunk that lay at the foot of her bed. She had everything jam-packed and ready to go. Books, clothes, quills, ink, parchment, potion ingredients, and everything else was packed away in her old trunk. One thing she didn't have packed away was her beloved bracelet that her mother gave her when she was five years old for her birthday. She told Luna that it would always keep her safe, no matter what happened. According to her mother, it contained something that would be cherished from witches and wizards all around if they came upon it. Luna didn't care what it meant to other witches and wizards, all she knew was that it was a very important valuable and she never wanted to loose it…never.

Luna looked around her room with her large blue eyes. She had dozens of articles from The Quibbler that she had torn out and put on her wall. There was the one about Harry of course, the Triwizard Tournament, several tidbits about magical creatures, and of course…the Department of Mysteries. Her father had done an extraordinary job on the article itself, but she had only read it once, in fear of reliving the night she spent at the Department of Mysteries… Luna herself was knocked out during the battle, but didn't sustain any bad injuries whatsoever unlike some of her friends. Ron had been scarred by brain tentacles, Ginny suffered a broken ankle, and Hermione had been hit with a very strange curse. They were all living however, and that was what she was thankful for. She stopped staring around the room when she heard a pecking on her window. It was a large barn owl…she had an idea who it belonged to, and it had a large envelope tied to its leg. She unlatched her window and let the owl inside. Luna walked over to him, carefully untied the letter, and then opened it. Out fell a parcel wrapped in newspaper and one page of parchment, partly filled with the handwriting of…

Dear Luna,

How are you dear? I know that it's just tomorrow that you return to school, and I just wanted to let you know that I love you and for you to have a great time at Hogwarts. But there is a matter that I need to press to you.

Your father and I have both seen you grow up to be a fine young woman, since your mother has passed away. It is a family tradition that you be given this necklace I have had held for the next woman in the family who is in Ravenclaw house. I was in Ravenclaw like you, and your father was himself. But I couldn't give it to your father because he was a man, and the necklace wasn't meant for a man. I ask you not to lose this necklace, because it has been passed down for generations in our family.

I love you Luna, and I hope you enjoy my gift that I have enclosed. May you treat it with care and respect. I think that I made a mistake sending it by owl mail, but there was no other way to get it to you in time for school to start. Your grandfather and I miss you so much.

Much Love,

Tobby

Luna read the letter from her grandmother over and over. Then she glanced over at the parcel that lay on her green bedspread. She picked it up and started unwrapping it slowly. She let the most beautiful piece of jewelry she had ever seen fall into her hand. It was a glowing blue, and then had a crystal imbedded into the middle of it. While examining it with her hand, her finger felt something inscribed on the back of it, so she turned it over to look.

Wyona Lovegood

That name must have belonged to her many times great grandmother, since it wasn't her grandmother's first name. It was written in some Victorian lettering, and glistened when it hit the sunlight. She grinned as she unlocked it, lifted her hair up, and placed it around her neck. She felt the chain that was around it. It was incredibly smooth, and made out of beautiful silver material. She sighed and lay down on her bed to think. It was very nice of Tobby to send her this beautiful necklace, and she was sure to take extra special care of it since it was a family heirloom.

Luna stood up and walked over to her desk to get a piece of parchment. She wanted to send Tobby a thank you note, just to say she had received the gift and she loved it. She took her quill and ink and began to write.

Dear Tobby,

Thank you so much for the gorgeous necklace. I love it, and I will be sure to take good care of it and keep it with me always. I'll see you next summer and I can't wait to send you a letter once I get to Hogwarts.

Love from,

Luna

She finished writing and slid her paper into an envelope sitting on her desk. The owl was perched on her bedpost, as if Tobby had told him to stay until she wrote a thank you note. Luna walked over to the large owl and tied the letter to his leg with a piece of string she had in one of her desk drawers. The barn owl hooted softly and flew out her window. She watched him fly into the sunset, while the trees around her house swayed in the wind and a cold breeze ran past her face roughly. She could see old Ms. Leary sitting on her lawn chair outside on her porch. Ms. Leary seemed to enjoy Luna's company, since she was an old witch herself. She had already gone down to see her this week, and spent at least a whole afternoon talking to her about the Department of Mysteries and Harry Potter. She had enjoyed it, and wished Luna good luck at Hogwarts this year like she always did. Suddenly, there was a soft knock on the door and she told whoever it was to come in.

“How are you Love?” asked her father, Cirendius Lovegood as he walked into her room. Her father had called her Love ever since she was a baby.

“I'm fine daddy,” she said dreamily as she smiled faintly up at her father. He came over to her and kissed her on the forehead gently. He saw the letter on her bed and the newspaper wrapping.

“Did you get a package today?” he asked. Luna nodded her head and took off her necklace to show her father. She laid it in his hands as he held them out, and he examined it with care. His eyes were wide with surprise mixed with shock.

“Who sent this to you?” he asked quietly.

“Tobby did, she said that it was a family heirloom. She also said that it went to the next Ravenclaw woman in the family. Since I was the next female Ravenclaw, she sent it to me.”

“I see… Well, that was very kind of her now wasn't it?” he said, still examining the necklace with interest. Luna nodded her head vigorously and smiled. It seemed like he had seen this necklace before, but Luna wasn't sure. “I'm glad she passed this onto you, I know that you'll take very good care of it.”

“Yes, I'll be sure to,” she said. There was a silence in the room that made Luna feel someone was hiding something. Was her father telling her the truth behind the necklace? Did he know something she didn't? Oh well, now wasn't the time to ask, she just wanted to talk about normal things with her father now and spend time with him before she went off to Hogwarts again this year. He handed her back the necklace at last and she draped it around her neck.

“You have everything packed for the train?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Of course, I'm all ready to go… Now all I have to do is wait another twelve hours,” she said.

“Yes, only another twelve hours… I'll miss you while you're gone at Hogwarts,” he said, hugging her tight. She hugged him back and held on for a while. As she let go, he glanced at his daughter once more and got up to leave the room. Luna nodded her head and said, “I'll miss you too daddy, I love you.”

“I love you too. Good night Love,” he said before walking out of the room, closing the large wooden door behind him. Luna looked down at the floor and blinked. She loved her father with everything she held dear, and he was the only person she had to lean on for support. He was more protective of her now that Lord Voldemort was in power once more, and was actually considering not letting her go to Hogsmeade at all in her fifth year. She raised a very strong objection, and she won. Hogsmeade was a great privilege; she would never want it taken away. It was a great place, even though it had lots of people and was crowded. Luna smiled to herself as she put her necklace around her neck and lay down on her bed. In a few days, she would start another year at Hogwarts, another year towards graduation. Usually she didn't anticipate school term, but this time she did.

Luna looked out her window once more, it was now dark outside, and she guessed that it was at least 9:00. She had already eaten dinner, but she needed to put on her pajamas and get ready for bed. She turned off her light in the bathroom after she'd brushed her teeth, walked over to the wall to turn on her fairy nightlight, (which had live fairies inside), and pulled on her pajama bottoms and a large t-shirt which used to be her dad's. She then got into bed and pulled a book from her bedside table. It was a muggle book, but one of her favorites. Her father always had muggle books because of his father, who was a muggle. Yes, Luna's father was a muggle-born… It didn't bother her that much, just that Slytherins at school always called her a muggle-born or even worse when they were in a bad mood…mud-blood. Luna always questioned how the hell someone could find out another person's background when they didn't even know the person themselves, maybe their parents told them? That matter would never be put to rest in her mind.

She read her book, Tuck Everlasting, for about thirty minutes in her bed, then yawned and decided to turn out the light. She stared into the darkness for a couple of moments, and then put her head down on the pillow. She listened to the cars zooming down the street as she closed her eyes.

.+.

-->

2. Chapter Two


A/N: Thanks for the reviews! I don't think that this chapter turned out very well though. Seriously, I worked hard to edit it and things like that, but I just couldn't get it right. *sigh* Oh well, I hope it's pretty presentable. Please tell me any criticisms as usual, and compliments would be good too. Hope you are pleased!

Chapter Two

Luna opened her eyes the next morning and smiled into her pillow. She slipped of her bed quickly and headed into her bathroom where she was going to take a shower and brush her teeth. She slowly turned to look into her large mirror over her sink. Luna was seeing what she saw every day, a girl with pale skin, very large round eyes, wavy hair that always looked stringy, and an expression on her face that made her look like she was looking at Christmas presents under the tree. She sighed and turned on the water faucet while still staring into the mirror.

Once she was done in the bathroom and her hair was still damp, she unlocked her trunk and made sure that she had all of her things. Everything was packed, she had her grandmother's necklace and her bracelet on, and it was almost time to go to Kings Cross. Luna looked around her room to make sure she hadn't left anything. If she'd forgotten anything then her dad would owl it to her the second day of school. She walked over to her closet, pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, and put on her shoes. Once she was fully dressed, she headed towards the mirror in her bathroom once more so that she could attempt to make her hair look presentable. After a few rough attempts, she managed to get the hair to shine slightly, and she pulled half of it up with a clip on the crown of her head. She shrugged and headed downstairs. Her father was fixing breakfast it smelled like, so she hurried into the kitchen to get a plate.

“Morning Daddy,” she said. Her father smiled at her and gave her a plate full of eggs, bacon, biscuits, and jam. She set it down on the table then pulled up a chair to sit down.

“Have everything packed?” asked her father. She nodded her head and watched him go up the stairs to get her trunk, wand in hand. Luna took a large bite of her eggs, which were delicious, and stuffed a few pieces of bacon into her buttered biscuit. She could hear her father coming down the stairs, his wand gliding her trunk. She ate her bacon-stuffed biscuit quickly, and finished off her breakfast while her father pulled on his shoes. She ran upstairs hastily and reached her room. She had to go back and get her butter-beer cap necklace, which was her good luck charm when she was at Hogwarts. Luna checked her pocket for her wand, and felt it at once.

“See you in ten months,” she said quietly as she closed her door to her room. She saw her father go outside and get the car when she reached the foot of the stairs, so she grabbed her jumper and headed outside. Her father had always preferred driving to King's Cross, instead of using Floo Powder or a Portkey. He said that they were going to Apparate there when she was in seventh year, and she couldn't wait. She saw the old Bentley coming out of the garage and waited for it to stop so she could get inside.

“Did you close the door on your way out?” asked her father, rolling down the window.

“Yep,” said Luna. Her father nodded, unlocked the door and Luna climbed into the car. He backed out of the driveway slowly, put the car into gear, and headed down the street towards London.

.+.

When Luna and her father reached King's Cross, he helped her with her trunk and they ran into the station towards Platforms Nine and Ten. They were running a little late because of a car accident on the highway, but Luna knew she wouldn't miss the Hogwarts Express. Finally after running through the crowds and finding the Platform, Luna stopped to catch her breath. After she had partially regained her ability to breathe, her father grabbed her hand and they both leaned casually against the stone wall separating Platforms 9 and 10. In no time at all, she saw the steaming freight train blowing steam right before her eyes, and saw loads of students boarding the train. Luna turned around to her father, who was still grasping her hand. He pulled her into a big hug then quickly let go.

“I'll miss you Luna, have a great year,” he called to her as she walked quickly towards the train. She breathed slowly again when she got on the train. There were compartment doors opening and closing, and students chattering away. She could hear the laughs of girls talking about their summer relationships, boys talking about the new Quidditch Teams… All she needed was a place to sit, where no one else would bother her. She finally found a place in the middle of the train, perfectly empty, but not out of the commotion. She stowed her luggage away, closed the door, and sat down. She could still hear the voices of everyone. She pulled out a newspaper clipping from her pocket and started reading over it. It mentioned someone owning two Crumple-Horned-Snorkaks in another part of Europe. They were supposedly named Snap and Snicker, which Luna thought were very strange names for animals… At least she could prove to Hermione that they really did exist now, even though the newspaper clipping was from The Quibbler. At least it had a picture of the tiny, scary looking animals with their sharp teeth and short legs.

She was resting her head in her hand and staring indifferently at the piece of paper when she heard a knock on the compartment door. She looked up to see Ginny Weasley standing there.

“Hi Luna,” she said happily, walking into the compartment. “Can I sit here? It's only me; Harry's sitting with Neville, Dean, and Seamus.”

“Yes,” said Luna in her usual dreamy tone of voice. Ginny plopped down on a seat across from Luna, and they both smiled at each other.

“So how was your summer?” asked Ginny.

“It was fine; we really didn't do anything special. I got a really pretty piece of jewelry though,” said Luna, taking off her necklace to show Ginny. Ginny stared at the beautiful necklace in awe.

“That's gorgeous! Who gave it to you?” she asked.

“My Grandmother, she said that it was a family heirloom,” said Luna. Ginny dropped her jaw even more as she examined the necklace.

“Merlin knows how much that's worth,” said Ginny almost to herself. Luna nodded her head as she put the necklace around her neck again.

“Did you hear who made prefect this year?” asked Ginny. “I didn't make it that's for sure, it was Colin Creevy and some other girl…I forgot her name… Who made it for Ravenclaw?”

“I don't know, probably Michael Corner…I don't who else.”

“Yeah…” There was more silence. Michael was Ginny's ex-boyfriend.

“So how was your summer?” Luna finally asked Ginny.

“Well, it's been anything but normal I can tell you that. I was with my brothers until Hermione came, which a blessing… Well, to me it was a blessing.” Ginny stopped to look out the window. “Go on,” Luna urged a little impatiently. Ginny locked the door to the compartment and started speaking in a low voice.

“Ron tried to stay away from Hermione as much as possible for some reason, after the first night she arrived. I mean, I know that they get into a lot of fights before, but he's never downright ignored her completely for an extended amount of time. I don't know what happened; when she arrived he was really happy and excited, then the next day he wouldn't talk to anybody. We thought that he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but he hasn't been the same since. He even snapped at me when I asked him what was wrong.” Ginny's face suddenly turned into a smile. “Now you can stare at him all the time and he won't even—” Ginny was caught mid sentence by the glare she got from Luna.

“What?” she asked innocently.

“I do not stare at him all the time,” said Luna in a deathly tone. Ginny just shook her head and looked out the window. Luna thought for a moment. Did she really stare at Ronald that much? Oh well, she thought. At least I don't have a crush on him or anything.

“So how is Harry doing?” asked Luna out of the blue.

“Oh, he's the same as always you know…but he just won't talk to anybody. I hope he feels better now that he's out of that house, that's where Sirius lived. You know, Sirius Black, his godfather?”

“Yes, you told me that at the end of last year. However it is a shame that he pushes everyone away,” said Luna while shaking her head.

“Yeah, it really is…he needs to trust someone.” Luna nodded her head solemnly. Harry Potter really did need to trust someone…

“But I wonder what has been bothering Ronald?” she asked.

“I don't know…but I have a feeling it's something to do with the `relationship' between him and Hermione,” said Ginny. Luna nodded her head as she turned to look out the window, watching the rolling hills go by.

Luna and Ginny talked about other things the rest of the way to Hogwarts, like who the new Minister of Magic was going to be after Fudge stepped down. Luna was thinking someone new would come up, someone who she's never heard of. Ginny thought this was reasonable, so she agreed. The food trolley came and went; Ginny and Luna got a good assortment of treats to hold them. Luna got a jam tart, and Ginny got a biscuit. It wasn't long before it was dark outside, and Luna could hear students anticipating their arrival at Hogsmeade station, and then riding the Threstral-drawn carriages up to Hogwarts.

“You think we're almost there?” asked Ginny. Luna nodded her head while still gazing out of the window into the darkness. She could see the mountains around the castle, and she knew they were pulling up into Hogsmeade station. After a few minutes, the train pulled to a halt and Ginny and Luna stood up to open the compartment door. Luna got her trunk, pulled it into the corridor, and then set off down the train behind Ginny. Finally she got outside, and could hear the voices of students again. She could also hear Hagrid calling out the first years, and could see the Threstrals coming up with the carriages. Luna and Ginny waited patiently for Harry, Ronald, and Hermione. They waited for a couple of minutes, and then Luna saw a tall, red-haired boy step out onto the pavement. She felt her jaw drop when she realized it who it was. It was Ronald. He was more handsome now, he was taller, had more freckles, and his hair was a still the same length but now it was more of an auburn color. She felt butterflies in her stomach all of a sudden. Why was he giving her butterflies? Luna tried to shrug it off, but it was impossible. She was feeling something for Ginny's brother…feeling something for Ronald Weasley.

“Hey Ginny, Luna,” he said flatly without even looking at the two girls, but at the ground instead. He had also gotten a much deeper voice since last year, and it had evened out somewhat. Harry muttered a greeting and Hermione nodded her head as they strode past Luna and Ginny. They all headed towards a carriage, Luna and Ginny walking behind Harry, Ronald, and Hermione. Luna had stopped gaping at Ronald, but the lingering butterflies were making her feel slightly light-headed. She shook her head in an attempt to bring her back to her normal self once she got into the carriage, and couldn't help sneaking a glance in Ronald's direction. There was something else different about him…not just his looks. He didn't seem the lively self that he used to be. The twinkle in his eyes was gone, and his face was paler than she'd ever seen it. Maybe it was because of the thing Ginny was talking about earlier on the train, about Hermione.

Once everyone got out of the carriages and started filing into the Great Hall, Luna waved to Ginny and set off towards the Ravenclaw table. Luna ventured to the end of the table as usual, and sat down. The Hall was decorated as usual, and the candles were still floating in midair like always. After watching everyone enter the Great Hall, she turned her head towards the staff table. She didn't see anyone new… Wait a moment, she did see someone new. A tall woman with spiraling black hair was sitting the position for Defense Against the Dark Arts… Luna had no idea who she was, but wanted to find out. She looked as if she would be a good teacher, but her face suggested that she didn't want to be there at all. Once everyone was quiet and the first years came in with Hagrid, Luna put her head on her hand and looked around the hall with some interest. Professor McGonagall was coming out of a side door with the new first year students and the Sorting Hat and stool in her hands. She placed the Hat on the stool, and Luna watched as he opened his mouth to sing. Luna listened intently to what the hat was saying in his song this year like she always did, and didn't find anything new. He still warned the school, and hinted house unity even more, but nothing else. Everyone clapped at the end, and the first student stepped onto the stool.

“SLYTHERIN!” yelled the hat almost immediately. The black-haired boy smirked and headed to sit down at the roaring Slytherin table. She shook her head and turned to look at the next student walking between the tables and sitting down with the Gryffindors. After about 10 first years getting sorted, three of them being in Ravenclaw, Luna laid her head down on her arms and watched dully her eyes until the sorting was over. One of the new students tripped on his own robes, and the other was squealing out of pure fear. After about twenty more minutes of listening to the hall clapping and cheering, Luna lifted her head up and watched Professor Dumbledore stand.

“Welcome everyone, to another year here at Hogwarts! I will not burden you will all of the new rules until after you have a full stomach, so enjoy your meals, students new and old alike.” Luna clapped along with all of the other students, and smiled at Dumbledore. He sat back down, and started conversing with Professor McGonagall. She didn't really like McGonagall that much, even though Luna was great at Transfiguration. She was head of Gryffindor house, and sometimes showed house favoritism. Food appeared on her plate almost instantly, and then she looked over to the Gryffindor table to take a look at Ronald. He was barely eating anything, which was extremely strange, seeing as he was a total pig usually. He always had to eat something; but that wasn't the case today. Once he noticed her looking at him, she turned around quickly and started eating her food, somewhat distractedly.

Finally when everyone was done with their meal, and Luna had barely eaten anything, Dumbledore stood up from the staff table. Luna watched interestedly, and listened to her headmaster.

“Now that everyone is satisfied with the feast, I will inform all of you about the new additions to the staff this year. One is your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lilia Dutton.” The whole Great Hall clapped as Professor Dutton stood up to her full height, which was at least 6 feet. The clapping died down as the woman took her seat, and started roaming the Great Hall with her eyes.

“Now, I must impose the rules to the new students, as I do every year. The Forbidden Forest is strictly out of bounds to all, unless directed by a teacher. The new list of prohibited objects and products will be found in the House Dormitory Bulletin Boards, and on Mr. Filch's office door.” Dumbledore sighed and clapped his hands together. “I suggest that you all get a good night's sleep for lessons tomorrow. You are dismissed.” At that, all of the students started getting up from their tables and the prefects took the first years up to the Common Rooms. Luna walked quickly out of the Great Hall, and made her way towards Ravenclaw Tower.

“I'll see you tomorrow,” said Ginny as she passed Luna, with Harry, Ronald, and Hermione walking in front of her. Luna caught Ronald's gaze for a moment, then looked away. She walked behind her fellow Ravenclaws up to the Tower, and could hear them conversing in low tones about something. She decided not to pay attention to them, and stayed where she wasn't noticed. Once they reached the Tower, Luna was so far behind that the portrait hole closed in her face. She had to say the password again, and the portrait was reluctant to open. That portrait didn't like her anyway, so making him mad made everything worse. The portrait was one of a Warlock brewing potions. He was always immersed in books or concocting a potion Luna sighed as she made her way up to her dormitory. Mostly everyone was in the Common Room, but she usually didn't like to stay in there for too long. She could still hear Michael Corner's voice telling the first years where the boy's dormitories where when she reached the top of the stairs. When she entered the room, she saw her bed with her clothes already next to it. She started unpacking her clothes quietly, while glancing out the window at the moon every now and then. Luna could see the Threstrals flying above the trees, and she sighed. She had neatly unpacked all of her clothing, and by the time she was done a few girls had come stumbling into the dormitory.

“Hi Luna!” came a diminutive, high pitched voice. Luna turned around to see Maxine Windelson smiling at her. Maxine was one of the very few girls in her house who talked to Luna. The only problem was, she hang around with a group of girls who thought Luna was a lunatic. Maxine wasn't like that though, and Luna knew that. But Luna always went with this saying: “Birds of a feather flock together.” So, she rarely ever spoke with Maxine. But when she did, it was always a pleasant conversation. Luna also saw a threesome of girls who always conversed in low whispers about her when she was around and always had to crack jokes whenever she was nearby. Luna just tried to ignore those girls, and went about her life like they were never a part of it.

Luna pulled on her gown and got into bed. She shivered as she felt the cold covers against her legs, and pulled the drape to a close. Humming quietly to herself, she closed her eyes. She could hear whispers around her, and put her head into her pillow as she took some of them in.

“I can't wait until tomorrow…”

“Do you think Trelawney was rehired?”

“Have you seen Luna Lovegood today?” Luna slowly fell to sleep, the words still replaying in her head.

.+.

-->

3. Chapter Three


A/N: Thanks again for the reviews, I'm glad everyone is enjoying this fanfiction; I know I'm having fun writing it! I have sooooo many rants about this chapter, please forgive me of it being slightly rushed (to me it seems that way) and all kinds of other things. I'm switching to Ron's POV for once, and I am probably going to be doing it quite frequently. Since I'm going to Galveston tomorrow, I tried to get this chapter up for ya'll! Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Three

Luna grabbed her book bag hastily and headed out of the girl's dormitory behind several other girls in front of her. She entered the Common Room, walked straight through it unlike the other girls who stayed, and headed straight into the Entrance Hall. It wasn't a very bright day, the sky was gray and she could hear thunder rumbling from above. She loved dreary weather, it was the kind of weather that you took you your advantage and read a good book or study for the next test. Not very many students were already in the Great Hall this early, only the staff and a few students from each house. Walking past a small group of Slytherins who were crowded around the doors, Luna finally got to the Ravenclaw table, which was pretty empty. Over the next ten minutes, students began filing into the hall, chatting with the person walking beside them. She lazily took another bite of her toast when she saw Cho Chang and her tiny but loud group of girls surrounding her. Even though Luna and Cho were in the same house, they had never uttered a word to one another. Well, maybe Cho had teased Luna at some time, but nothing more. They were also two years apart, which meant barely any interaction. In the next five minutes, she saw Hermione walking into the hall. She was walking slowly, as if dragging her feet, which was very unlike her. She usually was bustling around, never taking a second look. But today was different; she plopped down onto one of the seats, and started getting some eggs from one of the bowls in front of her. Luna looked away from Hermione, and looked at the oak doors. Harry and Ronald came in (which caused Luna to take a deep breath), and Harry sat next to Hermione, while Ron sat next to Harry. Hermione shot a quick glance at Ron and then put her face on her hand. The rest of the students filed into the hall, and then people started to leave. Luna almost always watched everyone in the mornings; it was how she woke up. She couldn't think about anything else, it was like all of her thoughts were attached to the room she was in. After finishing most her breakfast, she shot a glance in Ginny's direction, and saw her eating with Ronald, Hermione, and Harry. Ginny smiled when she saw Luna looking over at her. Luna grinned back as she picked up her book bag and got up from the table. She saw Ginny get up too, and they met at the doors of the Great Hall.

“Did you sleep at all last night?” asked Ginny, yawning. Luna nodded her head and made her way to the History of Magic classroom, where her other classmates were filing inside.

“I hate this class, I really do,” said Ginny irritably.

“It's not that bad, it's just a tedious subject,” said Luna. Ginny just rolled her eyes and walked into the room where students were conversing about the first class of the term. Luna sat down at a desk in the back, beside Ginny. She wasn't talking to Ginny for five minutes when Professor Binns came through the chalkboard, announcing the beginning of class. Luna watched him for some time, he was talking about how they'd be studying Goblin Rebellions this term, and was also saying how they'd be on the OWLs at the end of the year. Luna took down notes through the class period, but stopped when there was 15 minutes to spare until class was over and gathered her things. Ginny was fast asleep before they had even reached the first hour of class, and Luna didn't bother to wake her up since she wasn't disturbing anybody.

“Why the hell didn't you wake me up?” asked Ginny angrily on their way to Charms. The bell had woken her up, and she accidentally fell out of her chair.

“Well you weren't bothering anyone since you weren't snoring, you needed sleep, and I took notes which you can copy later,” said Luna matter-of-factly. Ginny thought for a moment, then nodded her head. She was always the one who wrote notes, and Ginny copied them. Especially since it was OWL year, and notes were essential in studying. The History of Magic OWL wouldn't be too hard… Luna was slightly startled at the sound of shrill laughter coming from behind her.

“Hey Loony, where'd you get those horrid shoes and socks?” asked none other than Parvati Patil, one of the girls who had a particular interest in teasing Luna about her clothes. Lavender was standing there with hands over her mouth, giggling hysterically. Luna looked down at the socks she had on, which were grey and purple, and her shoes, which were black and had faded flowers embroidered on them. While thinking of a good comeback,

“At a resale shop in London actually; don't you just love them?” asked Luna sweetly. Parvati's smile faded, and she stalked off, with Lavender Brown trailing behind her. Ginny was laughing with her hand to her mouth, and Luna grinned. She thought of how she just told off Parvati and shrugged. She had done it on many previous occasions, mostly because of her strange fashion sense. It was very old and fringed, which was what she loved about it. Parvati was the type of girl who had all of the name brands and had everything matched, which drove Luna crazy. She never had anything matched; even her earrings weren't the same. That train of thought was broken when Ginny grabbed Luna by the arm and took her into the Charms classroom.

Luna and Ginny found two seats in the back, right next to Michael Corner and some of his friends. Luna saw Ginny stop in her tracks and glare at Michael for a few moments, then sigh and sit down. Luna looked intently at Michael for a few moments as he joked about Ginny, then sat down and watched Professor Flitwick with boredom. She knew this period would already be boring as usual, but to make things worse…Flitwick didn't even ask them to take out their wands, but gave them another lecture about OWLs instead.

“These examinations will take place towards the end of the year, and will determine your life after Hogwarts as well. I wish all of you take this seriously, and do your best to take furtive notes this term. We will be reviewing information from the previous years, and new things will be brought into your education.” At that, the bell that ended the class sounded and students started gathering their books. It seemed like the class was rushed to Luna, but maybe it was just because lunch was the next period, and she was starving to death.

.+.

Luna sighed as she finished writing her last word on the Potion's essay she had to finish. She knew it wasn't due for two days, but she just wanted to get it over with. She packed up her books and headed out of the library, passing Hermione Granger on her way out. They caught each other's glance for a couple of moments, and then Luna walked into the Entrance Hall, where students were buzzing around. She made her way through the traffic on her way to Ravenclaw Tower, but was having no luck whatsoever. Suddenly, as if someone pushed them out of her hands, her books fell to the floor with a clatter. As she bent down to pick them up, she heard the drawling voice of the one person who made her cry at night.

“How is Loony Lovegood today? Did you find everything I hid in the Astronomy Tower last term?” Luna didn't dare look up as she heard Draco Malfoy, whose brand new shoes were tapping the ground in front of her. Quickly and clumsily, she grabbed her books and tried to walk past him.

“You think you're going to get off that easy?” he asked, as Vincent Crabbe guffawed behind him.

“Leave me alone Draco…” she mumbled, so that the statement was barely audible.

“What was that Loony? Your Snorkak ran away? How dreadful,” he said. Luna shook her head as she tried to walk past him again, but didn't succeed as he moved in front of her.

“What exactly do you want with me Draco?” she asked loudly, as she stared at him with her piercing eyes.

“Nothing really, it's just that it's fun taunting a mud-blood every once and a while,” he sneered. Luna heard laughter all around her, along with gasps and squeals. She could feel the burning tears coming into her eyelids…

Malfoy muttered a spell and Luna's books flew high into the air, and fell to the ground about a few yards away. Everyone laughed and jeered, then slowly started walking away. Students kicked them and sent them in the opposite direction as she tried to pick them up. She sighed deeply as she packed her Arithmancy book in her bag.

“Malfoy is a prat, don't listen to him,” came a warm voice from beside her. “Here, let me help you,” said Ronald Weasley, as he handed her a Charms textbook. She hastily wiped away a tear, and looked at Ronald. While she took the book that was in his hand, she noticed that he still had that look on his face that he had the day before, which bothered Luna immensely. She hated to see him sad, and it was strange to see him not being his normal self. He was usually joking around with his friends, or hanging out with Harry Potter after a Quidditch Match. But now he was sad, and it was because of one of his best friends.

“Thank you,” said Luna quietly as they both stood up from the ground. She barely reached his nose, and she looked up at him as he brushed himself off.

“So what were you doing in the Entrance Hall at this hour?” asked Luna in her usual dreamy tone of voice. He heaved a sigh and said,

“I was on my way to Gryffindor Tower actually, but I heard Malfoy and decided I was going to help whoever it was he was torturing,” he made a disgusted look on his face. “Sorry, but does he usually do that to you?” he asked hesitantly.

“Yes…He's done far worse. Thanks for helping me with my books Ronald, my book bag is about to burst already,” she smiled at him, which probably caused her eyes to look much larger than they already were. She searched for his brown eyes, which were avoiding her. He grinned weakly as she still stared at him disappointedly.

“Yeah. Well, I'll see you later then…” he said flatly as he walked away without looking back at her. Luna frowned. Why was it that he wouldn't look at her straight in the eyes? Maybe it was just because he was thinking elsewhere, maybe he was thinking about Hermione. Luna, don't think like that! You're not jealous of Hermione! She took a deep breath and watched him walk around the corner. At least she wasn't really having the butterflies anymore, but she did feel a rush of adrenaline when she saw him at first.

.+.

(Ron's POV)

Ron Weasley dragged himself into the Gryffindor Common Room, where a few students were doing their homework or chatting with friends. He looked around for Harry, Dean, or Seamus, but had no luck whatsoever. His eyes rested on Hermione, who was settled at a desk not to far away from him, and he had to resist the urge to go and talk to her. Ever since the fight they had had a few weeks ago, everything had changed. They weren't talking, she was always caught glancing at him, and there were many unnerved moments. She loved someone else. Not him, the person who loved her dearly. He watched as her hair came out of its messy ponytail and she tucked it behind her ear annoyingly while she finished an essay. He remembered her being in the library earlier, but maybe it was too noisy in there for her liking, and she decided to retreat to the Common Room. Ron watched her for a while in silence, until—

“You okay?” asked Harry from behind him. Ron tore his eyes away from Hermione. “Not really…can we talk upstairs?” asked Ron. Harry nodded his head and they both headed up the stairs into the dormitory, which was empty for the time being. Ron sat down on his bed and put his face in his hands.

“So what's going on?” asked Harry, his face frowning with confusion.

“I just can't stop thinking about her lately, ever since the row between us…” Ron said suddenly to Harry. It took Harry a few moments to comprehend who Ron was talking about, but caught on fast.

“I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about her either. But…” Ron shook his head at Harry and stood up, he couldn't stand sitting down right now. “There are other girls out there Ron, many girls…”

“Don't you understand? I loved her. I loved her with everything I had, but she loves someone else. How am I supposed to deal with that?” he asked hotly. Harry shook his head again unknowingly and looked down at the floor. “I told Hermione the way I felt about her, and what do I get? After almost 6 years of holding it inside myself, I built up the courage all summer to tell her my feelings. Then, the first time I'm alone with her at Grimmauld Place and confident enough, she says the one thing that I feared most. Who could that someone else be?” Ron stopped pacing and looked at Harry. He was playing with a piece of thread off of the pillow case, not looking at Ron. “Who do you think it could be?” asked Ron weakly as he sat in a chair beside his bed, running a hand through his hair.

“I don't know…” said Harry quietly. Ron moaned in frustration.

“Sorry I'm venting on you mate, but there's no one else to tell anything to,” said Ron. Harry nodded his head, still not looking at Ron. What was up with Harry? Ron asked himself.

“Well it's too early to go to sleep, how about going back down to the Common Room?” asked Harry uncertainly.

“Nah, you go on. I need to think about some things…” said Ron. Harry muttered an `Okay' and then headed out of the dormitory. Ron wondered why Harry was barely talking to him. Whenever Ron talked about Hermione to Harry, he was always unusually quiet. He usually was never quiet about Hermione to Ron, but now…he just didn't want to talk about her. Ron sighed deeply as she thought about what had happened this afternoon to get his mind off of Hermione. He thought about how Draco teased Luna but Luna didn't do anything to defend herself. Ron always was perturbed by Luna, but today was the first time he'd ever felt pity for her. He remembered the look on her face and the tears on the verge of spilling out of her eyes. Ron lay down on the bed and situated himself so that he was staring at the ceiling. Before long, his eyes were drifting off into a slumber.

.+.

-->

4. Chapter Four


A/N: Well…I'm sorry this has taken me so long to type everyone (it's not even long!) , I've had a lot going on in my life….I just haven't had enough time to type my fanfictions! LoL I know that sounds strange seeing as this chapter is uber short…but hey, no one's perfect right? ~_^

Chapter Four

“Miss Lovegood,” called Professor Snape. Luna got out of her seat and took a sample of her potion to her professor's desk so that it could be tested. They were making Sleeping Draughts today, and Luna thought hers would be pretty satisfactory. It was the color it was supposed to be, and she had reread the instructions on the board over and over until she had basically memorized them. She walked away from his desk and sat back down in her seat while the next person walked up to his desk.

“Mr. Russell, are you sure you added the Fluxweed to this potion?” sneered Professor Snape, studying the potion with disgust. The poor Hufflepuff boy muttered a `no sir' and headed back to his desk, his cheeks red and his face contorted in worry. Luna shook her head slightly as she opened One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi and glanced through it until the end of class. The bell rang right as Michael Corner left Professor Snape's desk. Luna glanced down at her schedule, which was already in her hand. She had Defense Against the Dark Arts next, and she would meet her new teacher. She couldn't wait, especially since she had heard various things about Professor Dutton. One of the things she heard was that the Professor was extremely sharp and strict, and the lessons were murder. Luna didn't pay attention to rumors however, since there was just no good in them and no one could tell much about her with only one class.

She walked into the almost empty classroom followed by some of her classmates from Ravenclaw. As soon as she entered the room, an unfamiliar chill ran down her back. The room now had dark blue walls with black tables that a group of four people could sit at. The chairs were made of iron without cushions for the seats. None of the dark purple candles were lit, and the far wall had a large portrait of two wizards dueling. Some of the students were shivering, and looking around the room cautiously. Somehow it seemed that the room was proportioned differently; maybe it was because instead of all the portraits that used to be there, there were built-in bookshelves and smaller tables with tools and devices where the aquariums or cages were previously.

Gryffindors were taking this class Luna looked around and realized Ginny wasn't in the room yet, and Professor Dutton was probably in her office behind the classroom. Luna pulled out the new textbook, Defense for the Young Witch or Wizard, Volume 1, and started flipping through it haphazardly until someone took the seat next to her. Ginny heaved her book bag onto the table and started taking things out.

“What's wrong with you?” asked Luna, still flipping through the book. It took Ginny a few moments to get her desk situated, and then she answered.

“Don't ask… All I tried to do was talk to him, and what does a sister get; an ignorant brother who doesn't want to listen to anything but his own miserable thoughts?” she sighed. Luna looked down at her book again and pushed her hair behind her ear. It sounded as if Ginny had had a conversation with Ronald. She thought about yesterday when he helped her with her books in the Entrance Hall…. Ginny snapped Luna out of her dreamy state when she pointed to the doorway from Professor Dutton's office. Professor Dutton was standing there surveying her classroom, staring at the students one by one with her piercing grey eyes. The teacher gave off an aura of extreme power, which made the room go extremely quiet so that you could hear the trees swaying outside the open window. However, with the wave of her wand, all of the windows slammed shut and all the candles lit up.

“Good day class, my name is Professor Dutton and I will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts professor for as long as it seems fit to stay. You will be learning how to defend yourself against powerful spells that might do worse than stun you,” she walked further into the classroom. “I have found that this class has only had two satisfactory teachers in this subject, am I correct?” A few students nodded their heads slightly. “Am I correct?” she asked again. All of the students in the class nodded their heads this time around, and Professor Dutton looked down at her roll book.

“Miss Lovegood, can you tell me who is absent in Ravenclaw house today?” she looked at Luna.

“No one is absent Professor,” said Luna quietly, looking past Professor Dutton at the portrait.

“Please look at me while you're speaking to me child, it shows respect,” said Professor Dutton, looking at Luna penetratingly.

“Everyone is here today,” said Luna resolutely, staring at her professor. The woman smirked and looked back down at the roll book again.

“Miss Weasley, please tell me who is absent in Gryffindor house,” she said. Ginny told her everyone was here and Professor Dutton closed her book and pulled out her wand.

“Does everyone have their copy of the assigned textbook, Defense for the Young Witch or Wizard, Volume 1?” Most of the students had the book on top of their desk already, although some still had them in their book bags. She crossed her arms and waited for the remaining students.

“Take out your wands please,” she said unnecessarily. Everyone already had their wands out, hoping that they'd be using them on their first lesson. Professor Dutton smirked when everyone already had their wands out.

“Now, no one will think that this chapter is very useful, but believe me it is.” She leaned against her desk. “Every wand has a function, whether it is great at Charms, Transfiguration, Defense, and etcetera. It is essential that everyone know the history and origin of their own wands before they do anything complex with them. Coincidentally, the wand reflects the wizard. Let's take my wand for example,” she placed her wand in both of her hands and held it up. “Its core is of dragon's scale, and is made of ebony and mahogany. What does that tell you?” Luna stared at Professor Dutton even more intensely. “The dragon's scale tells you that the owner of the wand is brave, and the type of wood signifies that my wand is suitable for hexes and charms.

“Now, you will have a quiz on Thursday over this chapter. We only have a few minutes of class left, I advise you take that time to study.” Luna looked at Ginny then opened her book to the first chapter. She read for a few minutes but could feel herself drifting away. She had barely gotten any sleep the night before, so she was easy to fall asleep today. She was basically staring at the lines on the page of the book with a dazed look on her face, and her eyelids kept on fluttering open and closed. She flipped onto further pages in the chapter, where it has examples of wands and famous wizards who owned them. Luna wuickly noticed that Roina Ravenclaw was one of the people, and grinned. She always loved studying the heir of her house. The last five minutes of class were spent packing books into book bags. Ginny had her head down and she was snoring, so Luna quickly tapped her on the shoulder before the bell rang for the next period.

“I don't know what's wrong with me lately…I just can't sleep at night and I am so very twitchy when I wake up,” she sighed. “I guess it's just nerves. Ron said that they would come more during OWL year.” Luna nodded her head and they both headed to their last period of the day, Care of Magical Creatures.

.+.

After mostly everyone was done and scarred for the day, Luna headed to the Hospital Wing to get a healing tonic for her own wound, which was a third-degree burn. They had been `studying' firecrabs, and none of them had gotten nearly as burned as Luna had. The accident happened when class was almost over, so she just waited until it was over until she headed to the Hospital Wing. As she clutched the cloth to her bleeding hand she headed through the door into Madam Pomfrey's office, since no one was in the Wing.

“Yes dear?” asked Madam Pomfrey. Luna held out her hand and the Hogwarts nurse started bustling around searching for the potion immediately.

“What were you lot doing in class this time?” she asked demandingly as she poured some liquid from a glass tube into a bowl from her desk.

“We were studying firecrabs today,” said Luna.

“Firecrabs?!” shrieked Madam Pomfrey. She huffed and hurriedly did something to the potion with her wand. “What these wizards are teaching children…” she muttered almost to herself. Luna shook her head as she looked down at the floor. Madam Pomfrey took the bowl of potion and asked Luna to dip her hand inside the bowl. “Now we'll leave your hand there for about an half hour, I'll come and check on you,” she said quickly. Luna nodded and grabbed a pillow to put behind her head. She crossed her legs as she lay on the bed, staring out the window to her right. Nothing was in sight, just the trees billowing in the wind and birds flying in the sky. Luna looked at what effect the potion was having on her hand, and saw that it was just beginning to heal. She looked around the Hospital Wing uninterestedly and found herself bored.

“I wish someone was here…” she muttered quietly to herself. Usually she was okay with being alone with nothing to do, she just would think. She ran all of her thoughts through her head and got into deep thought about the potions essay she had due tomorrow…

“Hello?” she heard a voice say loudly. She looked quickly at the door to the Hospital Wing and saw the one person who had been haunting her thoughts for about a week now leaning on his best friend's shoulder. Ronald was leaning on Harry's shoulder and was standing on one leg. The other was extremely bloody and his pants were torn at the knee, and he was obviously in absolute pain. His face was sweating and his eyes were barely open. Madam Pomfrey came rushing into the Wing, and helped Ronald to a bed down from Luna.

“What on earth happened to you?” she asked, looked at them both fearfully.

“Ron and Malfoy got into an argument and Malfoy used his wand. We don't know what kind of spell he used, but it made Ron's leg pretty severed,” said Harry. Madam Pomfrey went to go get a potion as fast as she possibly could. She was muttering angry words to herself and was mixing a load of tonics and antidotes together. “…what kids are doing in the halls…”

“Hi Luna,” said Harry breathlessly, looking at her petrified face.

“Hello Harry,” she said in a dazed voice. She was still staring right past Harry's head at the table behind him, avoiding his eyes by a few inches. She usually never looked at anyone in the eyes, it made her feel odd. Madam Pomfrey started to treat Ronald's wound and Luna looked the other way. She hated this for him, she really did. She was now feeling pretty sick at her stomach, so she clenched it silently as she looked everywhere but at the bed a few feet away from her.

“You'll be in here overnight Weasley, if not longer” Luna heard Madam Pomfrey say after a while. Ron had somewhat calmed down from what she could hear, so she looked over at him. His leg was wrapped with loads of cloth and bandages, and Harry was standing by his side talking to him. Luna acted as if she was invisible, which usually worked wonders when she didn't want to be noticed.

“I can't believe he said that to me,” Ronald said quietly, almost to himself.

“Don't let it get to you so much,” said Harry. Ronald shook his head and looked down at the stone floor.

“But I just couldn't help it.”

“Don't worry about it Ron.”

“I'll try not to. I don't want to get in a fight with Malfoy over that subject again…” he trailed off as he looked over at the girl next to him, not noticing her before.

“What happened to you Luna?” he asked inquiringly.

“A firecrab burned me during Care of Magical Creatures this afternoon. They're nasty little creatures, really they are,” she said, laughing softly. Ron nodded his head and studied Luna's face for a moment. She felt a little uncomfortable under his stare, but just looked away and hoped he would do the same. He did, and Luna was appreciative.

“So did anyone else get hurt?” asked Harry. Luna shook her head slowly and looked around the room for Madam Pomfrey. Thankfully she was coming over to Luna to check her hand.

“All I really need to do it wrap this up and send you on your way dear,” she said as she grabbed bandages from the table. Luna waited patiently as she wrapped her hand, and winced slightly as she did it tighter and tighter.

“Come by tomorrow afternoon and I'll check it. Goodnight Miss Lovegood,” she said as Luna got up from the bed.

“Goodbye Harry, Ronald.”

“Goodnight Luna,” said Harry. Ronald nodded his head and waved quickly. She smiled and headed out of the Hospital Wing, cradling her hand in her other arm. She walked up the stairs to Ravenclaw Tower while realizing that it was probably past curfew, which was 9 o' clock. Luna didn't have a watch, so she couldn't tell what time it was until she got to the Common Room. When she got there it was almost empty, except for a few people reading a book or doing homework. She headed up to the fifth-year girl's dorm and opened the door to go inside. She heard whispering, and knew it was coming from the bed beside hers. While slowly getting her pajamas on, she thought about what Ron and Draco were fighting over earlier this afternoon. Maybe it was what they always fought over, Ronald's family. He wasn't exactly the richest bloke in the world, but so what? Draco always teased and taunted him about it, and it was the best way to test Ronald's temper. Luna had seen it happen on occasion, and it wasn't a very nice sight. But was it really about Ronald's family this time? She sighed as she climbed into her four-poster and pulled the sheets over her. The girl's whispering had died down, and Luna was ready to sleep. She grabbed an extra pillow from the foot of her bed and propped her hand on it as she turned over on her stomach.

.+.

A/N: I know that this chapter was really short, I'm sorry about that. Starting out the story means shorter chapters for me for some odd reason, I don't know why. There was actually a scene I was going to add in here, but I decided not to. It just didn't fit… So yeah, I really hope the next chapters to come are a lot longer, but the more reviews I get the better I write! So please send reviews people, they'd be very much appreciated. *_*

-->