Fortuitous Ruminations

Ecthelion

Rating: PG13
Genres: Drama, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 26/09/2004
Last Updated: 07/06/2005
Status: In Progress

A Sixth Year Story Through and Through.

1. Chapter One


Fortuitous Ruminations

Disclaimer: Everything here has been brought about by the genius of JKR, so if by chance I happen to bring in characters of my own imagination…..well, she can have those too.

Summary: A Sixth Year Story Through and Through. Expect to take a while to see major h/hr interaction; though after a bit small interaction will be present. Be patient :)

Enjoy!

Chapter One


Darkness began to establish its presence around the Little Whinging. An indefinable tension in the air caused all creatures to bear an uneasy stance. Everywhere there was a nervous feeling put into motion. Birds were continually seen to be flying to and fro while a breeze yet unidentified by weather forecasters seemed to be ever-present throughout the summer, flowing from an unknown direction…but always moving….Humans as well were skittish due to the palpable uncertainty of a yet unidentified fear. Nothing could be seen to be still, but nothing seemed to be reaching the place they were going either.

At a time when creatures begin to settle down, it only seemed as if they had just got up. Rodents and small mammals were especially active as their incessant puttering of feet was quite often brought up to day-to-day conversation. Wildlife normally considered to be rare and secretive was seen in oddly numerous sightings. Much to the surprise of the National Wildlife Committee, the first tawny owl in sixteen years was seen flying amidst the shadows in a park south of Bristol. Communities had never seen such a sight where wild animals seemed to wander aimlessly through parking lots and suburban housing areas. And had they noticed, people were doing much of the same thing. Something was not in place, and it was creating a sense of insecurity and fear throughout the entire country. Tonight was no different.

Magnolia Crescent's streets were deserted; all that could be seen was the unnatural swaying of the trees and the bristles and sways of plant life that belied the animals residing there. No one considered it abnormal in any way when a cat stealthily made its way across the street. Oddly enough, it happened to look both ways before doing so. Its sharp eyes caught the subtle movements of rodents of all sorts but it never stopped once to investigate. Anyone who had enough skill to follow a cat's movements in the dark could have clearly noticed the interesting fact that this cat had a certain destination in mind; for it traveled in a straight path, always alert, but never wavering nor feeling any uncertainty as to where he was going.

Passing underneath the newly planted hydrangea bushes, the tabby deftly ducked and smoothly eased its way onto a slight knoll overlooking the park he had just reached. Within a few seconds he had seen what he needed to and paced to an old ash tree and began to climb up disappearing in the now almost complete darkness.

Reappearing on a flat limb about twenty feet from the ground, the tabby eased over to the now worn knot where he promptly settled himself in to once more begin his nightly visual.

* * *



A crisp wind swirled, swept, and eddied through the park making all the structures sway slightly as if shivering. Except for one. A single swing stood taught and still as all the rest shook and swayed ominously. Only to the observant eye could the reason why it stood still be seen. A single, motionless figure sat on the swing totally oblivious any movement or sound. The body language of the young man spoke a story of its own. His hands were limply grasping the quivering chains while his head drooped sullenly almost to his chest. Goosebumps could be seen, when close enough, on his skin, but the youth showed no action whatsoever to signal he was aware of this. His dark hair, unkempt and tousled blew wildly as the wind flew through the swings. Once in a while, a glimmer of the moonlight would glance of his glasses sending a silent flare of light betraying a set of closed eyes and a stricken complexion. The temperature got colder and the wind picked up, yet he never moved nor showed any signs of life. He just sat, buried in his own thoughts of which none could perceive. Then again, nobody tried.

Suddenly, the youth's head craned up and smoothly pulled himself out of the swing. A part of the night as any cat, he set off towards the park exit, the epitome of feline fluidity in his movements. He still carried a dejected and defeated attitude within his body, and this coupled with his obvious athleticism brought about a dangerous tone that silently warned anyone to stick to their own business.

To Harry, this was perfectly fine. Very quickly, inhabitants of his whereabouts gained a new respect for “that Potter boy”. He was, of course, still perceived as dangerous, but he now retained a profile that seemed to state “If you keep out of my way, I'll keep out of yours”. Naturally, this unspoken decree was fervently obeyed by all whom Harry happened to pass. Harry's green eyes began to glimmer as he pulled himself out of his monotonous drone of brooding…though not yet breaking the casing of long-patented indifference. Interestingly enough, he concluded, the Dursleys seemed to have followed that pattern as well. They were not half as abusive nor verbal as they had been the previous years; indeed, they seemed quite passive; almost restrained. This, no doubt, had to do with him, but as to exactly why, he really didn't want to know, so he left it at that.

Still mulling over the peculiarities of the Dursleys, his eyes picked up the familiar light posts that unofficially announced the straightaway to Private Drive. Peering into the distance, there seemed to be no lights on within the house except for one. This, he mused, was probably Dudley going on another one of his smoking expenditures. Pathetic, really, considering Dudley now had to carry an inhaler everywhere he went. Not that he was sorry, for such an uptake in smoking and dramatically decreased Dudley's physical stamina making his old game of catching Harry nearly impossible. Given, he had never tried to catch him this summer, but it certainly wouldn't be pretty. Once, when Dudley had to run the mile in gym, he had such a fit of coughing, that he had to be sent to the hospital. When told their son had been smoking, Petunia and Vernon blatantly refused to accept such an “atrocious accusation upon a highly prioritized and athletic young man”. No smile or sign of humor betrayed itself on Harry when considering this highly entertaining memory. To any watcher, he could have been merely thinking about nothing.


Opening the door to the house, he could not help but notice that he felt a somewhat more wholesome and pacified then he had in a while. This summer he had gotten into the habit of taking walks or long ventures into secluded spots around the area when he was feeling particularly emotional. At times, such as tonight, he could just sit motionless letting all of his thoughts and feelings wash over him in a fury as he desperately tried to cope with them. And quite honestly, he told himself, he knew he wasn't even close to helping his stricken mind, but such habits did provide temporary help to accept some of the guilts and anxieties wracking his body. And considering what he had been feeling lately, his walks had begun to step up in number to almost about three a day. He knew they were pivotal in maintaining a cool temper, which in turn, he knew was absolutely necessary for the Order.

He began to harbor a great feeling of dread, as he walked up the stairs, of going to bed; for that was when all of his worries and thoughts came to bear. And such worries there were! There was his birthday coming up, which he honestly didn't care the slightest bit about, and his OWLS results would be coming soon, and frequent nightmares of various subjects which he did not feel like remembering at the moment, and the anxieties he carried when watching the news when it unknowingly belied trouble in the wizarding world, and plus, he was wondering if he could be taken out of Private Drive for the rest of the summer. Yet, it was these topics that he considered trivial to the real issues that he deemed would plague him for the rest of his life. One, he had still not yet gotten himself to come to terms with the prophecy. And most potently, he could not get rid of the image of Sirius. This was of course, due to the fact that he didn't want to. Not that he could, if he had wanted to anyhow. Sirius, he admitted, was still a highly touchy issue for him, as any mention of him in any way, aroused a blinding wave of emotion….he mustn't think of such things now. He needed sleep, and this thinking wasn't going to help promote it. Tomorrow, he would be receiving his OWLS scores.

And with that, he lay himself down upon his bed, his head a whirlwind of troubling thoughts and emotions that produced yet another sleepless night.


-->

2. Chapter Two


Chapter Two

It was always interesting to him how one could be asleep, yet not feel a single bit more rested. He had been in bed sleeping fitfully for 4 hours and felt, if anything, worse than he had before he had initially gone to bed. It was 5:00 in the morning, and he began to prepare himself for the daily ritual of cooking the Dursley's breakfast.

Slipping an outfit of tattered clothes, he made his way downstairs without comment, without thought, and without care. He was in a monotonous mode of stupor that he made no effort to push himself out of….it was a casing of non-feeling, a total anti-thesis to emotion. It was a haven, a place of hiding….a form of protection.

A couple minutes later a red-faced and highly groomed Vernon Dursley marched downed the stairs sporting a new suit he had recently gotten on the eve of his “greatest step in my climb to corporate greatness”. Naturally, he and the other Dursleys never talked so frivolity around Harry, but Vernon, even with Harry's sudden and dramatic change of attitude, could not always help boasting loud enough to inform Harry, who was either in his room or somewhere in the vicinity of the house.

Vernon's beady eyes squinted as he caught sight of Harry cooking at the stove, his crumpled and bent clothes no match for his even more angled raven-black hair. It had been this way the whole summer. Vernon would come downstairs to find a silent Harry cooking his meal. Once Vernon settled down and began reading the Business section of the newspaper he didn't understand, a fully palpable tension would immediately fortify itself in an almost impregnable manner between the two figures in the room. One a porky, snobbish muggle, the other a lost and forlorn wizard. One a student in a magical school, one a middle-aged man in business. One totally aware of the awkward and highly uncomfortable situation, one utterly oblivious.

It was a battle of emotions for the beleaguered Vernon Dursley. It was painfully obvious he would rather go under the ranks of servitude and even go to the lengths of cooking his own meal rather than having this stoic of a boy silently cook and serve his own. However, this strong feeling was immediately countered by his utter and fully-fledged fear of speaking to this enigma of a nephew. It was a never ending battle that he knew full well would never come to a conclusion.

He chewed on his food as a cow would chew grass. Even the food tasted how the boy looked. It wasn't tasteless, really, but it most certainly did not have any zeal or exceptional flavor. As a matter of fact, it had been his opinion of the last few days that the eggs had indeed turned a shade or two grayer than before. And lately, it seemed as though this effect was creeping into the bacon and toast.

Once more Vernon caught himself thinking of him. He had been doing this more and more and found that he couldn't fully stop it either….much to his chagrin. He and Petunia had spent long nights talking about the boy and his unusual behavior. From the very start of the summer it was obvious something was going on….perhaps something was even wrong. Theory after theory he and Petunia shot out of what kind of conniving plot the boy was playing now. Why was he trying to play the “poor me” role? Was he trying to leech even more of their already-benevolent giving's? But the more and more they tried to convince themselves they were right of the insolent boy's behavior, the more it became painfully obvious they were not. It was too real….even his own exceptional hate of wizards could not block out the almost solid waves of hurt radiating out of the black-haired object of observation. It slowly proved to him that even such things as him were just as human as he was….and had a considerable effect on his view and treatment of him. It was still chilling to him, and wrenchingly painful to Petunia of the realization that they had begun to worry about a person that had tried so hard to ignore, expel, and forget for so long.

* * *

Nymphadora Tonks sat behind a hedge, facing the household of the Dursley's and their nephew. Shifting her invisibility cloak so as to not reveal her right foot, yet position herself comfortably, Tonks pushed a stray band of golden hair out of her eyes. Last year, she would have been exulted to be chosen to guard Harry Potter. But now, it was so much different. The sentinels were supposed to watch for a series of psychological problems in the boy, but in common consensus among the guards, they had to watch for those same problems in themselves. It was also commonly agreed that the beginning of these symptoms were to catch a glimpse of those eyes. From then on, a whole new perspective was cast on their subject. Small and subtle signals previously unnoticed became painfully aware. Once meaningless actions now carried potent but silent implications. It became an earnest task to hear him utter a single syllable of speech. It had now been two weeks and five days since anyone had heard him say a thing. To say that they were worried was a serious understatement.

Discussions had been held concerning his welfare, but all that could be decided for certain were the uncertainties. For now they would wait. It was painstakingly clear that they could not take him out because of the terms of the protections. It was better to have this Harry rather than a dead one. Though lately that statement had undergone serious second-thoughts.

To think that he wasn't changed by the events of last month hadn't crossed the mind of anyone. Though, mused Tonks, he had changed physically as well. He'd grown a few inches, probably around 5' 11”, but she doubt he'd noticed. He had begun to have chiseled features, hard angles….giving him a further mature look than he had already attained since age 11 or earlier. Whether this was the byproduct of the recent events, teenage growing spurts, or both….it was incredibly hard to tell. Such was the multitude of the effects of what happened.

Now all they could do is wait, watch, and hope. Though, thought Tonks, that hope was fading fast.

* * *

Breakfast was efficiently taken care of, Vernon left without comment, and Dudley and Petunia had gone out to a breakfast place after leaving Harry with a short list of chores. There was no personal reference, merely containing the minimal wording on a Grunning's notepad.

  1. Trim Bushes

  2. Plant new flowers on East side gateway

  3. Start Stone Fence in Front Yard

  4. Before #3, wear clothes sitting on coffee table

Without a word, Harry walked outside into the shed to grab a pair of clippers and started on his chores. Though there were only a few things to accomplish, they were highly time-consuming. Not that Harry cared. In fact, if possible, he touched on the fringes of enjoying it. It felt relatively good to focus on something other then his life, even if it was on menial tasks such as yard work. His relatives could find no fault in anything he did outside of the house….the house had too many reminders of his other life….the Dursley's had never made him do yard work before, as that would mean unnecessary exposure, so the yard did not carry as many memory flashbacks as other places inside the house. Harry found that once tasked on such things, he would sometimes be suddenly possessed a wholesome self-determination that was altogether refreshing and rejuvenating to a certain degree.

However rejuvenating it was though, it never did make Harry totally forget his troubles, nor did it brush those feelings from his frontrunner thoughts.

Brushing a few stray leaf clippings off his tattered clothes, the boy-who-lived strove to contain his eddying emotions and focus on the servantile task in front of him.

His eyes told the tale of which of those two striving forces won out.

Behind Bush #2, a barely-audible sigh could be heard amidst the faint breezes of summer.

* * *

It was afternoon now, and he had accomplished tasks One and Two. He stepped inside to grab the clothes that apparently had been laid out for him to wear for task number Three. It did not escape him, when he found the half-way decent clothes sitting on the coffee table, that they did this not out of care, but out of the care of their household's appearance. He did not, however, realize that a few rips that would not have been seen by even the most diligent of walkers were caringly repaired by hand.

* * *

It was scorching hot outside. Unlike last year, the air was full of humidity, and perspiration was unavoidable. Harry was painstakingly carrying heavy stone rocks to the front of the yard and setting them in a fashionable stone fence. His shirt had come off a few minutes before, when he made a second stain on the shirt with a particularly muddy rock….Underneath it was an exceptionally toned body, silently radiating times of glory on the Quidditch Pitch beneath a shining layer of sweat. He had grown into his body, and his tattered jeans and shirtless top showed it remarkably. If he had but adorned a more approachable presence, his cut, lean figure would have undoubtedly brought him a consistent feminine presence. He had not gone completely blind and missed the frequent glances of passing females. He had, however, gone on completely oblivious to such blatant expressions of interest. It did not matter to him, it did not even occur to him to even act on it. Too many other emotions plagued his mind to let him concentrate, let alone conceive such thoughts of romantics.

Placing the last stone of the Right-hand section of the wall, Harry picked up his discarded shirt and walked inside and was not seen again that day.

* * *

A brown tawny owl floated above the nearly identical rows and rows of houses many feet below it. It drifted upon a strong breeze, which, like many others this summer, carried the scent of change, the feel of motion, and the touches of fear….So subtle, yet blatantly persuasive was it, that it could not be ignored by even the most ignorant of sentient beings.

The owl itself was another facet of monumental alteration. The predatory claws clenched in it a parcel of paper that bore a manuscript so preliminary and rudimentary that its initial meaning bore an inescapably essential significance. Not more than 50 words littered its surface. Not even a signature enamored its description. It was not an element to be recorded in history books, or even fireside tales….it was merely a piece of paper that just as easily could have been used as a note to remind the custodian to clean the 3rd floor cabinet….Indeed, it was just as good as.

But it wasn't.

It was anything but a piece of paper.

It was the spark that set the fire. The gear that set it spinning. The bullet that started the war.

It was the one object that set the pieces of the Second War into inexorable movement.

It truly had begun.

And hardly anyone knew it.

* * *


-->