Harry Potter And The Emerald Ring

Classic Cowboy

Rating: PG13
Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 15/12/2004
Last Updated: 22/07/2005
Status: In Progress

(Harry Potter/Green Lantern crossover) Before Harry's sixth year he learns more of his mother's history and takes her most treasured gift and responsibility as his own. But will this new power be enough to bring Voldemort and his Deatheaters to Justice? (H/Hr R/L N/G)

1. Brightest Day Darkest Night

Harry Potter and the Emerald Ring

Chapter 1: Brightest Day Darkest Night

Not so long ago …

Two figures shot toward Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a man and a woman, both in cased in a bright green energy field. they landed outside the school before Albus Dumbledore, who had been standing there expecting them.

They were both dressed in similar black and green uniforms and masks with a symbol in the shape of a lantern on their chests. The man was older, with graying hair around the temples and an athletic build, and the woman was in her younger twenties, late teens at the least. Her uniform showed her curves well, accenting her long crimson locks held up in a high pony tail.

“Hello, Mr. Jordan,” Professor Dumbledore greeted the Green Lantern of the Muggle part of the Earth, and then turned to the Green Lantern of the Wizardry part. “It is great to see you again as well, Ms. Evans, I trust Mr. Potter is doing well.”

“He’s fine, Professor, he is one of the reasons we’re here,” the woman Green Lantern stated. “Again I’d like to apologize in advance for James and I missing the Order meeting, sir.”

“I believe a honeymoon is well enough excuse this one time, my dear,” Dumbledore winked at the Lantern, causing her cheeks to color. “But I get the feeling you didn’t come with the leader of the Green Lantern Corps only to apologize for a missed meeting.”

“You’re right as always, Professor …” the Lantern said lifting her ring. Her uniform and mask took a green glow before fading away, leaving her in a red skirt and white blouse, and letting her hair tumble down her shoulders, “I have discovered earlier this week … I’m pregnant, James doesn’t know yet, I’m going to tell him after our wedding as a bit of a present you see … and … as I have spoken with Hal, until after our child is able to be without me I am giving up the title of Green Lantern. Should something happen to me between now and then, Albus I’d like you to hold onto my ring.”

Dumbledore’s eye brows shot up in surprise as Lily placed her power ring, the source of a Green Lantern’s power, then a large green lantern, “And here is its battery. Should something happen to me and/or James, this could be the only match Voldemort’s power. His strength is almost absolute, but should a powerful wizard or witch wield this weapon’s power he or she could in theory overpower the Dark Lord.” Lily then took a said smile, “If something becomes of me, I wish you to know my last wish would be that my child would take the ring you and Hal gave me my final year of Hogwarts. Next to the ring James gave me last summer and the child we have created, it is the most valuable gift I have ever been given to me.”

“Is this alright, Mr. Jordan?” Dumbledore asked the other Lantern.

“Lily has been a great Lantern, and I hope she’ll come back after everything’s in order,” Green Lantern nodded, “But as she said if something happens, I’m sure her child would make as great if not a greater Green Lantern.”

“Then it shall be done,” Dumbledore nodded, glancing down at the glowing ring in his palm, “I only hope it doesn’t not have to.” The old man smiled at the redhead, “Would you like me to set you a portkey for your home, my dear?”

“I’m a bit worried about what a portkey might do to my child at the stage, so if you don’t care, Hal, could you give me a lift?” Lily asked, brandishing a slight pout.

“Don’t do that,” Hal chuckled, “It’s on my way, anyway.” He said as an energy field erupted from his ring surrounding himself and Lily. “Take good care of that ring and battery, Professor Dumbledore. Should someone with a dark heart take that, I’m not sure what it would take to stop it.”

Dumbledore smiled after the two, before glancing down at the faintly glowing ring. An eerie feeling caused a frown to form on his aged face. He had the very unsettling feeling this ring would not rest on Lily Evan’s finger again.

IOI

Present Day

“Albus …” a haunting voice sounded through the office where the Aged headmaster field out letters for the upcoming Hogwarts Prefects. Dumbledore head snapped up at the sound, and looked around, “Albus, old friend.”

Dumbledore stood to his feet when he recognized the voice. “It has been too long. I have been expecting you, Hal.” He said as a green cloaked old man appeared before him. On his chest was a glowing green lantern symbol and over his seemingly ancient eyes was a green mask.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..." the Hand of God, the Spectre, said pointing his hand to the hidden vault in the corner of the office. “The chosen one has come, Albus, it is time to supply him with the power the Dark Lord knows not.”

“Too true, I had hoped to protect him from this,” Dumbledore said opening the vault to bring out the large green lantern-like battery.

“You are too protecting, Albus,” the Spectre said stepping toward the battery. “Lily’s son is almost a man, and he has a right to his mother’s legacy. He is to be a Green Lantern, Albus, it is the only way to give him the edge he needs to stop Voldemort.”

“He hasn’t prepared for this, he is still but a boy,” Dumbledore argued.

“Lily wasn’t much older when she received her power ring,” Spectre argued, pulling the cold dull green ring from the vault to gaze on it. “The ring has chosen him already, I can sense it. It calls out to him, and he unconsciously prepares himself for the mantle as we speak now.” The Specter placed a bony hand on Dumbledore’s shoulder, “I know why you wish to save him so much, but you can not smother him. He is ready. I will teach him to use it and by the end of his sixth year, he shall be prepared to fight.”

“So be it …” Dumbledore submitted, but was startled when the door opened.

“Albus, I wish to speak to you about the … oh I apologize for the interruption.” Professor Minerva McGonagall blanched, at the green cloaked figure’s back.

“Oh you’re not interrupting anything, Minerva,” Dumbledore grinned at the head of Gryffindor. “Allow me to introduce you to the replacement Defense against the Dark Arts professor. Meet Hal Jordan.” He said as the Spectre turned around to pull back his cloak to reveal a green suit and tie, and a middle-aged, yet handsome face, with brown eyes and hair that grayed around the temples.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss …” Hal said, gallantly taking McGonagall’s hand and kissing her knuckle.

“Mc-McGonagall … Professor Minerva McGonagall.” Professor McGonagall said a faint blush crossing her cheeks.

“I believe we were just leaving to speak to Mr. Potter, were we not, Professor Jordan?” Dumbledore said, narrowing his eyes on the now younger man.

“Indeed,” Hal flashed the older woman a winning grin, causing her to look a way scarlet. “Lets go, Albus,” Hal smirked at the scowling Head Master.

“Show off,” Dumbledore grumbled before the two apparate away.

IOI

The mattress bounced against the wall of his small bedroom on the second floor of 4 Privet Drive, but Harry Potter caught it and pushed it back before hitting it again with a melee of punches and kicks.

The young wizard was dressed in sweat pants, trainers and a sleeveless tee-shirt and his trademark round framed glasses. His brow furrowed as he sent another combination into the mattress with all the force he could muster. It had been a month since the death of Sirius Black but the anger was so much that it ate at his very soul. He remembered Sirius falling through the veil. He remembered his friends falling in the Department of Mystery to Death Eaters. He remembered Hermione being struck in the chest by an unknown spell. And he especially remembered how his friends had kept him the dark last summer. The cut was deep and along with the loss of his dear Godfather, was a slow healer.

Hermione, Ron, and even Ginny, Neville, and Luna have written him, showing support and care, and it eased the pain … a little. Harry hated this, the wait.

Voldemort was out there. He could feel him in his mind, through their connection. Voldemort felt pleased and deviously happy. Harry planned on fixing that as soon as he possibly could. Voldemort has struck him some way or another every year of his time at Hogwarts. This year will be different. “This year I strike you, Riddle,” Harry growled punching the makeshift punching bag fiercely.

“My goodness, what did that bed ever do to you, Harry?”

Harry didn’t look back. “Wondered when I’d hear from you, Old Man,” Harry said spitefully. “Who’s …” Harry’s words caught in his throat as he saw the Spectre’s haunting gaze staring at him.

“It will do you good to respect your elders, Harry Potter, if you wish to learn of your history.” The Spectre said, bringing out the Green Lantern Battery.

“I have come, Harry, to give you what is rightfully yours,” Dumbledore said, opening his hand to Harry. In it was the dull green ring with the same symbol as the one glowing on the Spectre’s chest. “Your mother’s legacy.”

“And I have come to teach you to use it, as well as the Oath and rules that come with being a Green Lantern.” The Spectre added, noticing the look of disbelief that crossed young Harry Potter’s face.

“But my mom was a witch … not a superhero …” Harry stammered.

“Superhero?” the Spectre snorted, before looking down sadly, “the ideals of a Superhero are all well and good, but when one starts considering one’s self as a ‘all powerful’ and ‘foolproof’ ‘Superhero’ then they have become nothing but a fool, and is doomed to fall and possibly to take all they hold dear with them.”

“Your mother was a witch, but also a hero,” Dumbledore explained, “I was told not to tell you until you were at the age to command the ring’s power.”

“Yet another thing you kept from me.” Harry narrowed his eyes at the aging Professor.

“At your mother’s request.” Spectre stated, “She wanted you to have it, you are the Green Lantern of the Wizardry World. Or you will be once I have finished training you. It is after all, a power Voldemort knows not.”

“I’m listening” Harry said crossing his arms, recognizing the quote from the prophecy he heard from Professor Dumbledore at the end of his fifth year.

Very good, as Green Lantern, you will be charged with being the guardian of peace and justice in your assigned world, in your case, the Wizardry world of Earth. You must not instigate a fight, and only use the powers you are granted to aid the innocent and oppressed. You will be a champion to good, and a force to reckon with to evil.” Spectre informed, “While this power will aid you in your war against Voldemort, you cannot allow yourself to use it to seek vengeance. Use it to seek justice. Cedric Diggory Sirius Black, James Potter, and Lily Evans-Potter did not die for a monster to become liking to Tom Riddle. Do not let their memory be the cause of this. Use the power to seek justice, truth and honor to their falls. You do not have to take this power if you do not wish for it, but it will aid you far more then you can imagine. Do you accept the power and responsibility?”

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment and Dumbledore spoke up. “The life of a Green Lantern is a dangerous one … but your life will be one of danger one way or another anyway. What ever your decision will be I strongly suggest you keep this information from everyone, with the exception of your friends of course.”

“We can return after you’ve had time to consider this,” Spectre stated turning to leave.

“No,” Harry said turning to face the men, “I already decided. If it’ll help me defeat Lord Voldemort once and for all, then I’ll accept it.”

“As you wish, Harry,” Dumbledore nodded, “We shall leave at once, if you wish to tell your friends I can arrange for you to meet them at the Order Headquarters.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Harry said somewhat coldly, “They kept me in the dark last year, consider this simple pay back. Besides, it could be fun seeing if Hermione can figure it out.”

I am uncertain of the wisdom in that decision, Harry,” Spectre sighed, “But so be it, let us go. You will spend the rest of your summer at Hogwarts. Your training begins tonight.”

IOI

The months passed quickly and Harry’s training under the Spectre and Dumbledore was intense. He learned hand to hand combat as well as Auror level defense spells. But one of the most shocking things was Harry learning that the Spectre was in fact Hal Jordan the one time leader of the Green Lantern Corps as well as the threat to all life known Parallax. During his final days as Green Lantern an evil being destroyed his home city. The Guardians, the true commanders of the Green Lantern Corps, refused to give Hal permission to use his ring to restore the city and the people who were killed. They had said the Lanterns were not to be gods. Grief and disillusionment made Hal think differently. Hall attempted to take the power he needed forcefully, he destroyed the Green Lantern Corps, killed the Guardians, and drained the central power core taking the power he required to accomplish his goals and took the name: Parallax.

The last Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner with the help of the Justice League stopped Parallax, but ultimately Hal Jordan sacrificed his own life to save all life. He was given the power of the Spectre, the true Guardian of the galaxy and Hand of God as a reward for his selfless act as well as way of redeeming himself for his crimes against humanity.

Despite all Harry has learned though, he still refused to write his friends, and even ignored the many letters that they had sent. Now the day of the Hogwarts Express’ arrival, he still hasn’t opened his presents from Ron and Hermione.

“This is for you guys,” Harry said, glancing down at the unwrapped presents then to the dull green ring on his finger.

“You’ve done well, Harry,” Spectre said, approaching him in his Prof. Hal Jordan persona. “Going to open those anytime soon?”

“I’ll wait till after I talk to them and give them a minimum explanation.” Harry said adjusting his Hogwarts Robes, “they’ll probably be surprised to see me.”

“Or they’ll knock your block off for worrying them.” Dumbledore added, coming in to join the two in the empty classroom. “Getting some last minute training in before the year starts I see.” Dumbledore smiled at the teenager.

“You could say that.” Harry said shortly.

“I see …” Dumbledore said dejectedly.

“Albus!” McGonagall dashed in, “The Hogwarts Express!”

“What’s the matter, Minerva?” Dumbledore turned to the professor.

“The Hogwarts Express is in danger, Albus,” McGonagall gasped, “The mark has appeared in the sky above the track a few Kilometers from here!”

“Ron … Hermione!” Harry breathed worriedly.

“Minerva, go and summon the Aurors, now!” Dumbledore said worriedly. He waited for her to leave before turning to the two remaining. “The Aurors won’t make it in time … Harry, are you ready apply what you have learned?”

Harry gulped, but nodded for Hal to hand him the battery. “Here goes nothing …” Harry said adjusting the ring on his finger. He made a fist and pointed it toward the battery and recited the oath by heart:

“In brightest day and blackest night… no evil shall escape my sight …” Harry recited as his ring began to glow brightly, covering his clothing, glasses, and even his scar in an emerald light, “Let those who worship evil’s might … beware my power…Green Lantern’s Light!”

IOI to be continued IOI

Disclaimer: Green Lantern, Spectre, the power rings, Hal Jordan, and Kyle Rayner are all properties of DC Comics. Harry Potter and all characters related are owned by JKR and Scholastic (I know I butchered the spelling …)

C. Cowboy: this is pretty much a plot bunny that wouldn’t get out of my head, but I have this one worked out till the end unlike some of my other fics that are giving me heck right now … ANYWAY, expect more of this after I finish finals as well as my other fics (HPX3 and Everybody Knows)

2. A Brand New Hero

Chapter 2: Brand New Hero

IOI

I've got big dreams but no self-esteem, you know?
I'd reach for the stars but I can't find my arms
All this time we've accomplished so much
Why can't I believe

Why can't I just feel love?


Goin' away

Leavin’ today

You’ve gotta find a brand new hero

Goin' away

Leavin’ today

You’ve gotta find a brand new hero


I let you down when you're not around you know

I can't be trusted with anything
All this time we've wanted so much to just belong

Why can't we just feel love?

Goin' away

Leavin’ today

You’ve gotta find a brand new hero

Goin' away

Leavin’ today

You’ve gotta find a brand new hero

What will they say when I've gone away?

Gotta find a brand new hero

- “Brand New Hero” by Reel Big Fish

IOI

The Hogwarts Express roared along the rails toward Hogsmeade Station, and despite its peaceful exterior, Prefect Hermione Granger was ravaging through the compartments like a mad woman. “Have you seen Harry?” She asked as she stuck her head into a compartment, and growled in frustration when the occupants shook their heads no.

Hermione turned the corner and came face to face with the smirking Draco Malfoy, with Crabb and Goyle. “Oh, could it be Potter has gotten smart and dumped his little Mudblood lapdog?” Draco sneered, but his confidant look vanished when Hermione grabbed him by the collar and slammed his back against the opposite wall of the train’s hallway.

“Where is he?” Hermione growled, her brown eyes narrowed dangerously as she squeezed the taller boy’s neck, “Where…. Is… Harry?”

“I …” Draco whimpered as his eyes widened at the wild look in the bushy haired muggle-born’s eyes. “I haven’t seen … seen him!”

“Truth, I want the truth, Malfoy,” Hermione hissed venomously, “You said you were going to get back at him last year for putting your father in Azkaban, you’ve done something to him, Malfoy, I know you have. Tell me, and you may wake back up.”

“I swear! I haven’t even seen Potter, Granger!” Draco whimpered, “I want Potter publicly humiliated, do you think I’d do something to him that no one would know about, honestly?”

Hermione pulled out her wand, and Draco closed his eyes tightly when she pressed it into his temple, “I’ll ask you one last time … What have you done with Harry?”

A strong smell suddenly filled the hallway as the crotch of Draco’s trousers quickly became damp. “I swear to Salazar Slytherin I don’t know anything!”

Hermione opened her mouth to growl a hex, when two sets of arms grabbed her and pulled her away from the horrified Malfoy. “Hermione! He’d brag by now if he’s done something, and you know it!” Ginny said as she and Neville held both her arms tightly.

“He’s involved,” Hermione growled, her eyes still on Draco like a tiger on a zebra just outside its reach. “I know it, and I’m going to get it out of him if I have to hex his insides to his outsides and make him a woman.”

“Maybe you need to sit down and relax,” Neville shuddered at the mental images Hermione induced, “Come on, Hermione, calm down …”

“Malfoy, I think you better get out of here,” Ginny warned, “I’m not sure how long we can keep holding her, and … change your pants.”

Draco gulped, before glancing at the stunned Crabb and Goyle, “big help the two of you are!” He shot in a shaky voice, “C’mon, you haven’t heard the last of me, Mudblood, mark my words!”

Neville Longbottom and Ginny Weasley lead Hermione back their usual compartment where Ron Weasley, the youngest male Weasley, sat staring out the window with Luna Lovegood sitting beside him with a dreamy look on her face while reading the Quibbler.

“Find him?” Ron asked, his voice trembling slightly with worry.

“I looked everywhere, he’s not on the train,” Hermione said in a trembling voice, sitting down in defeat. “He’s no where to be found … what if something happened to him? What if V-Voldemort took him … what if he’s …” Hermione’s rambles were cut off when Ginny shook her roughly.

“Easy, Mione,” Ginny said, staring her friend dead in the eye, “Think about that, if something happened to Harry, the Order would have all been informed. Do you honestly think Mum would be as chipper as she was this morning when she dropped us all at Platform Nine and Three Quarters?”

“I … I guess you’re right …” Hermione murmured, “But then where is he then? Why isn’t he here?” She was answered with an uncomfortable silence.

“Ron, pay attention,” Ginny snapped, glaring at her brother, who was still staring out the window, “What are you staring at anyway?”

“I’m not staring, dear sister,” Ron sighed, “I’m watching for something … flying car, broom, anything.”

“Look no further then, Ronald,” Luna said pointing out the window, “There’s some broom riders there.”

“What, where?” Ron asked snapping to the way the blond headed Ravenclaw girl was pointing. “Oh shit.”

The five occupants of the compartments all looked out the window to see twelve black-cloaked figures riding in formation on brooms. “Deatheaters … not good …” Neville whimpered.

The door to the compartment swung open, “Ah, here we are,” the Deatheaters Antonin Dolohov and Bellatrix Lestrange smiled as they entered they stood at the entrance of the compartment. “I’m glad to see you made a full recovery Ms. Granger,” Dolohov grinned at the frightened group as the train came to a stop.

“Alright you lot,” Bellatrix waved her wand, “Out. And where’s your fearless leader Potter?”

“He’s not here,” Ginny snapped defiantly.

“Too bad, looks like you’re all going to die for nothing then,” Bellatrix shrugged, “Now MOVE!”

Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna were herded out with the rest of the students by a large force of Deatheaters and surprisingly Imperius Cursed Hogwarts teachers. Lestrange, Dolohov and the slightly trembling Wormtail seemed to be the ringleaders of the attack.

“You five,” Bellatrix smiled at the five who accompanied Harry to the Department of Mystery a few months prior, “Step forward.”

They reluctantly did as told, Ron and Neville stepping slightly farther, in an attempt to protect the girls. “What d-do you want?” Neville asked, trying to sound brave.

“You five are the closest here to young Harry Potter,” Dolohov said, as he Bellatrix, Wormtail and a group of Deatheaters approached them with wands drawn. “We think it would be appropriate to show your classmates what comes with being friends with the Boy Who Lived.”

“What are you going to do?” Hermione squeaked, her chest heaving with nervousness and fear.

“Give an example,” Bellatrix smiled wickedly as the group of over twenty Deatheaters chimed in unison ‘CRUCIO’.

All five teenagers cried out in pain as the unforgivable spells struck their bodies, sending liquid fire coursing through them. They didn’t stop at one attack. The assault lasted for five minutes leaving all of them on the ground, panting, crying, and breathing heavily before the Deatheaters finally stopped.

“As much fun seeing you squirm in pain, it really doesn’t have as much purpose without Potter to see you all hurt because of him, now does it.” Bellatrix sighed, “Oh well, Wormtail, put up the mark. we finish this now.”

Wormtail nodded timidly before casting the spell to put the mark of the Deatheaters high into the sky. It was there less then a moment before another green beam of light shot from the direction of Hogwarts, striking the symbol associated with death. At first nothing happened, but then it shifted from a skull and a snake to another symbol all together. “What is the meaning of this?” Bellatrix growled, staring at the large green circle between two straight lines across the very top and bottom.

“Bellatrix, we best hurry,” Dolohov said, worriedly, “I’ve a bad feeling about all of this.”

“I agree,” Bellatrix nodded turning to the dazed teens at their feet, “Kill them. AVADA KEDAVRA!” she called, and a green beam of light shot from her wand, only to strike a near transparent green barrier around the five teenagers. “What? Avada Kedavra! AVADA KEDAVRA! AVADAKEDAVRAAVADAKEDAVERA!!!!” She barked repeatedly but each spell struck the barrier harmlessly. “Impossible!!”

“In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night, no evil shall escape my sight.” a voice spoke loudly as a gigantic green mace came barreling through a gathered group of Deatheaters.

“Who’s there, Dumbledore?” Bellatrix back peddled slightly into Dolohov.

“Those who worship Evil’s might,” a series of green beams shot from the sky striking each of the controlled professors, freeing them from the Imperio instantly.

“SHOW YOURSELF!!” Dolohov barked, as the remaining Deatheaters gathered back to back.

“Beware my power… ” a masculine figure said lowering himself from the sky. He was dressed in a black body suit with green covering his shoulders and upper chest and back, and in the center of his chest was the same symbol that replaced the Deatheater’s mark in the sky. His face was vaguely familiar but his eyes and upper face was mostly covered with a black mask with green eye lenses, and his dark hair was spiked up showing a smooth unmarked forehead. “…Green Lantern’s Light!” He said pointing his fist at the group, showing a glowing green ring on his finger.

“A GREEN LANTERN!!” Wormtail cried out, hiding behind Bellatrix and Dolohov, “Oh Merlin, we’re going to die!!”

“This is your one warning,” Green Lantern’s voice boomed to the group, “Go. Leave this place and NEVER even think about these students again.”

“Are you going to make us, green boy?” Bellatrix sneered at the young hero.

“I gave you a chance you didn’t deserve,” the Lantern narrowed his green covered eyes, ‘This is for you, Sirius,’ he added mentally before a gigantic green three headed dog appeared in the middle of the Deatheaters and began a ravenous attack.

Hooded figures flew through air, thrown by the constructed monster, only Bellatrix and Dolohov managed to jump from its attack. “And this is for hurting my friends,” the Lantern growled under his breath, before he shot toward Bellatrix and punching her right in the sternum, making the dark witch double over, then turned and fired a blast of energy from his ring striking Dolohov in the exact spot his spell struck Hermione a few months prior.

Wormtail looked around at the fallen Deatheaters and the few still standing, then at the gathering angry teachers and students from Hogwarts. He did what any former Gryffindor turned Deatheater Lieutenant would do. “RETREAT!! SAVE YOURSELVES!!!”

Those Deatheaters able apparated away instantly, but before the rat could escape, Green Lantern grabbed him by the collar, “Before you go, traitor, I want you to pass a message on to your master.” The Lantern growled, looking into the Deatheater’s terrified eyes. “Since he didn’t get the prophecy he wanted let me give him one of my own. Green Lantern’s light will very shortly push the Shadow of Tom Riddle off the face of the earth … permanently. Do you think you can handle that?”

“Ahuh, Ahuh!” Wormtail whimpered.

“Good, now get out of here.” Lantern growled, watching Wormtail transform into a rat and scurry away. A moment later Aurors, including Tonks and Moody apparated to the scene, and began apprehending the remaining unconscious Deatheaters.

Lantern turned his attention then to the five recovering students. “Are you ok?” he asked walking toward them.

“My chest …” Hermione whimpered, grasping where Dolohov cursed her not too long ago. Green Lantern scooped the girl up in his arms before glanced at the other, better recovered victims who were being helped by the Hogwarts faculty.

“They need medical attention,” Professor Snape said, studying the young Lantern. “Ms. Granger especially.”

“We’ll get the students back on the train, and on to Hogwarts,” McGonagall said, eyeing the girl in the Lantern’s arms worriedly.

“I’ll get Ms. Granger to the Hospital Wing at Hogwarts, Professor,” Lantern said as a green aura surrounded him and Hermione, then rocketing into the sky.

“Wow …” Tonks gasped watching the Lantern go.

“Indeed,” Snape sneered, “It’s about time someone showed up who can do YOUR job.” He said, sticking his nose into the air, ignoring the pink haired Auror sticking her tongue out.

IOI

Hermione’s eyes slowly fluttered open, and with a groan she looked around to find herself in the Hospital Wing of Hogwarts. Madam Pomfrey appeared a moment latter to check her over, “How are you feeling, dear?” she asked, placing a palm over her forehead.

“I … what happened?” Hermione asked glancing around to see Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna all sitting in beds.

“You won’t believe it, Hermione,” Ron cheered. “He just came out of no where and kicked Death Eater butt!”

“Harry?” Hermione asked hopefully.

“No, no way, Green Lantern, Hermione!” Ron gasped, with the same dreamy expression Luna usually gets over one of her mystical creatures. “A real live superhero, Hermione, he had to be more powerful then even Prof. Dumbledore!”

“Harry’s saved the whole school, the whole world at least once a year, Ron” Ginny rolled her eyes from the bed across the way.

“Yeah, but he doesn’t wear a wicked costume while doing it, now does he?” Ron asked smugly.

“Perhaps not, perhaps he does …” Luna mused dazedly, “One never knows what masks one’s friend often wears, Ronald.”

Hermione sighed agitatedly. “Has Professor Dumbledore or Madam Pomfrey mentioned where Harry is?”

“Ginny asked Dumbledore when he came in while you were still unconscious, Hermione,” Neville spoke up, “He just gave a smile with that freaky twinkle in his eye again then walked out.”

“So you can stop getting your bowls in an uproar, mother chick Mione,” Ron chuckled, “Your little hen is apparently just fine,”

“The Muggle term is mother hen and little chick, Ron,” Hermione grumbled, sinking into her bed.

“Mr. Weasley, please don’t agitate Ms. Granger,” Madam Pomfrey said in a monotone voice as she scurried around the room checking over the five students. “You seem alright if not but well shaken from the spells. I’ll give you some pain syrup for tomorrow morning, you will most definitely long for it. But you all may go for the opening feast but then off to bed with the lot of you.”

With the mention of food Neville and Ron leapt to their feet and dashed out of the Hospital Wing.

“They’re feeling better all of the sudden …” Ginny mused, shaking her head as the three girls crawled out of bed and followed behind.

IOI

“We’re late,” Ron said as the five entered the Great Hall and were stunned when almost the whole room (even some Slytherin) stood to give them a standing ovation.

“Um … hi …” Hermione said as the group blushed wildly and slowly made their way to their usual seats at the Gryffindor table and Luna went to the Ravenclaw table.

“Now that we are almost all present, we shall continue.” Professor Dumbledore smiled at the five late-comers. “I’m sure your housemates will tell you what first years went where, now then where was I … ah yes I recall. I am pleased to announce we have three ‘new’ faces this year. “Prof. Flitwick has decided to take some time off, around year to take care of his now orphaned grandchildren. In his place please welcome from the United States Ms. Zitanna.” He was motioning to the end of the table.

A beautiful young woman in her late 20’s stood up with long raven hair. She was dressed differently then any of the other professors, dressed in a type of tuxedo with what looked like a swimsuit bottom instead of pants which showed her long shapely legs well. Her dazzling looks caused all the boys from all house tables to stare, and it seemed she was eating the attention up.

“Also as you all know, Professor Umbridge will not be returning this year …” Dumbledore paused till the applause finally stopped, “In her place we welcome also from the United States, Professor Hal Jordan,” he motioned to the man in a long green cloak. He stood up and gave a mock salute to the school before sitting back down. “Good luck, Professor, you’ll need it.”

Dumbledore then glanced to the corner of the Great Hall where most of the stares were directed. “As you all know now, The Dark Lord has returned and is trying to retake his power. In order to more properly protect those present at this school and those in the area, I have arranged for Green Lantern to take on the roll of school guardian. He is one of many in the Green Lantern Corps and I might add though he is the newest, he is the finest I have ever known, and I assure you will make sure what happened earlier on the Hogwarts Express will not happen again.” he added, a twinkled in his eye as a blush appeared on the young hero’s face. He then gave the Lantern a sterner look and nod.

Green Lantern smirked but nodded in return before backing into the shadows. “Also another face I’m sure you’ve noticed missing during your trip this morning was that of one Harry Potter.” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled when Harry’s five closest friends perked up, especially Hermione. “He returned to Hogwarts in early July to begin working closely with Professor Jordan on refurbishing what I believe Mr. Potter and Ms. Granger created and dubbed ‘Dumbledore’s Army’ and other activities that I’m sure Mr. Potter would prefer remain personal.”

On cue Harry dashed in from the back entrance of the Great Hall breathing heavily, “Am I late?” he asked with a lopsided smile.

“Harry!” Hermione cried out happily as Harry made his way to the table, and was enveloped in a double hug from Ginny and Hermione. “We were SO worried about you!”

“Yeah, you bloody git,” Ron narrowed his eyes, “Would it have been so hard to write an owl and tell us where you were?”

All four present gave Harry a stern look even for once Hermione agreeing with the redhead. “Well … some of the things I’ve been doing with Professor Dumbledore and Professor Jordan really … isn’t for ‘some ears’.” Harry made the excuse.

Ron, Ginny, and Neville seemed to buy it but Hermione studied him a moment longer.

“I guess…” Hermione finally relented before glancing further up the table. A moment later her eyes lit up.

“What’s up?” Harry asked noticing the thrilled expression on her face.

“It’s nothing, Harry,” Hermione said looking away, “It isn’t really for ‘some ears’. You see …” She finished with a snort.

Ginny looked from Harry, to Hermione, on to Neville and Ron who were equally pigging out on food. “Looks like it’s going to be a fun year.”

IOI To Be Continued IOI

3. Secrets

FIRST A SONG FOR JKR:

Hey everybody I've got somethin to tell

It's what I learned from relationship hell
Lust turns to disgust

A heart of gold into rust

A soft touch to a slap in the face

It gets old

It goes away

This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love, this one's for you.
This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love, this one’s for you.

It never works but we keep tryin' like fools

Learning and breaking the rules
At first you're excited

Then you're less than delighted

By the end you want them to drop dead

It can't last

It's gone so fast

This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love, this one's for you
This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love, this one's for you

- ‘Suckers’ by Real Big Fish

NOW ON WITH THE STORY!

Chapter 3: Secrets

Very early the following Monday morning, Auror and Order of the Phoenix member Nymphadora Tonks as well as a group of Ministry of Magic Aurors apparated in to a small wizardry village a small distance south of the Scotland England border, the group were sent after an alert of a Deatheater attack. The group had their wands at the ready for a Deatheater attack, they found it very quiet.

“Are we too late?” Tonks asked, as she carefully walked out of the ally they appeared in. What was in the center of the village was not what she expected at all.

Men, women, and children stood laughing and applauding. And in the very center of the town square was a giant, green seal juggling multiple green energy spheres containing Death Eaters. Beside the scene was the Green Lantern, watching the Deatheaters scream and beg for release, some getting ill from the unstable movements. “What? You want me to make it juggle faster?” Lantern asked the Deatheaters, “If you say so!”

“I see we didn’t really need as many Aurors as we brought,” Tonks said walking up to the costumed hero. “Get all these guys all by yourself?”

“Oh, they weren’t any big names in this crowd,” Lantern said, trying to mask his voice, “Just a group of Voldemort’s thugs.”

“Still, very brave of you …” Tonks said flirtily, sheathing her wand on her belt, then letting her hand slide over to land on the Lantern’s spandex covered rear. “Very brave indeed.”

The moment of contact caused the Lantern’s green lens covered eyes to widen and the seal vanished letting the Deatheaters fall from their great heights with sickening thuds.

“Sorry boys,” Lantern said, giving a small salute to the unconscious dark wizards. “Well, Miss, I better get back to the school …” he said easing away from the lusty-eyed Auror.

Green Lantern soared toward Hogwarts before slowly approaching the dorm room level of Gryffindor Tower. He slowly opened the window and glanced around the dark room for any sign of motion before floating inside, a green aura forming around his costume changing the black and green tights into red and gold pajamas and his black and black and green domino mask into a pair of owl eye glasses.

Harry Potter stretched his arms over his head before climbing into his bed after a long night of fighting and flying. He pulled off his glasses and placed them on his night table and shut his eyes longing for sleep.

“Harry, you can’t sleep all day!” Ron said loudly as the room suddenly filled with blinding light.

“Go. Away.” Harry grunted as he pulled his pillow over his head.

“Oh c’mon, Mate,” Ron said jerking the covers from Harry’s bed. “It’s Monday! Start of a brand new week of the breast year of our life!”

“Ok, Ok … wait did you just say breast year of our life?” Harry blinked putting his glasses back on.

“No, I said best year, I’m sure.” Ron blushed slightly, “Hurry, Harry, after breakfast it’s *sigh* Charms Class!”

“Ron, Professor Zatanna’s our teacher …” Harry said slowly so Ron would understand as they dressed and quickly made their way out of the dorms and common room.

“Yeah, I know, it’s such a crime, making it illegal for students and instructors to have relationships …” Ron sighed dejectedly. “I’d rock her American world. But oh well, I can deal with the look but don’t touch rule.”

“Ron, you’re a nutter,” Harry shook his head as the two walked toward the great hall. “Where’s Hermione?” Harry asked surprised to not find his bushy haired best friend anywhere around.

“Probably the library. Her loss, let’s eat!” Ron said sitting down roughly at the Gryffindor table and started rounding up his plate.

Harry nodded and took his seat and too began to have his breakfast. A moment later Hermione came in breathing rather harshly and still attempting to fix her disheveled tie and robes. “Oh, I’m glad I didn’t miss breakfast … I overslept!” She said breathlessly.

“Huh, Lavender said you weren’t in your room this morning,” Ron said, looking up from his plate.

“Oh …” Hermione flushed slightly, “I … fell asleep in the library, studying ‘n all.”

Ron and Harry glanced at each other, but shrugged off the believable story, neither noticing the look Hermione gave the Head Boy, Terry Nestro, as he walked in just a few moments after Hermione with a bit of a flush to his face.

IOI

“Welcome to Sixth Year Charms, Class. You may call me Professor if you like, but I prefer to just be called Zatanna,” The beautiful magician said, giving a overly dramatic bow. “Now with the war going on, you’re all going to need to know some protective charms and spells to protect yourselves from Voldemort and would-be Voldemorts,” Zatanna said, smirking when the whole class seemed to shrink back with the exception of Harry.

“Oh get over it,” Zatanna snorted to the stunned class. “I’ve read up on the jackass, and Tom Riddle is just a guy who hit the books to the point of obsession and was as nutty as a fruit cake. High caliber and should be seen as a threat, yes. But as a force of nature that shouldn’t even be muttered as a name, that’s just making things worse for us and great for him.” She then smirked at the grinning Harry.

“Enjoying yourself there, Mr. Potter?” Zatanna said approaching the trio’s table. “I had a feeling this would have a nice ‘ring’ to it to you,” She said leaning across the table, to push his glasses up on his nose, “Eyes up here, handsome, you too Red,” She winked at Ron before going back to the front of the desk.

Ron and Harry blushed crimson and looked down at their textbook while Hermione just crossed her arms and clicked her tongue as she looked down her nose at her friends.

Zatanna spent the remainder of the class basically going over what will be expected of them and what to expect out of her class. “Next time we’ll have a pop quiz class, I’m going to give myself a charm, and anyone who can guess the charm next week correct will earn five house points. Now then …” Zitanna tapped her shoulder with her wand then glanced up at Draco Malfoy. “Mr. Malfoy, come to the front of the class for a second.” She said as she smiled at the blond smirking Slytherin.

Draco did as told and Zatanna gave him a strange order. “Ok, Draco, I want you to give me any charm, any charm you want.” She then nodded, “Whisper it, so … it’ll be the pop quiz next class meeting.”

“Right, this is going to be good,” Draco smirked, drawing his wand. He cast his chosen charm at the professor but before it struck the beautiful American it rebound back and struck Draco right in the chest making him fall to his knees.

“DRACO!” Pansy called out as she dove to his side and helped him to his feet, “Draco, love, are you ok?”

Draco looked at Pansy for a moment before giving a goofy smile. “Pansy, I love you.”

“Wha-wha?” She blushed and backed away quickly from the drunk-looking Draco.

Draco giggled, before turning to the stunned Trio, and walked around their table to throw his arm around Harry. “Scar-Head, I love you, you know that? I love you.” He then placed his hand on Ron’s head and ruffled his red hair, “You too Weasley, I love you.” He then turned to the gapping Hermione and grinned at her. “And you, Granger, for a Mudblood you’ve got the best arse and knockers in Hogwarts history, I love you!”

“Mr. Crabb, Mr. Goyle, take Mr. Malfoy to the Slytherin Common-Room, the Feel Good Charm should wear off in about seventy two hours.” Zatanna tried to keep from laughing.

Draco’s two stooges looked at each other before approaching the smiling blonde. “Hey guys, ya know what? I love you, both of you. I love you just so very bloody much!”

“Let’s go, Draco,” Crabb blushed, as both boys hid their faces as they grabbed Draco’s arms and dragged him from the class room.

Before they could get him out the door the Slytherin Prefect had one more thing to say. “I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS!!”

“That was just … weird …” Ron blinked, glancing to Hermione, and was stunned to see her looking down as she appeared to be fluffing the swells of her chest. “Very weird, oy Harry?”

Harry just stared forward with a sick look on his face. “I feel violated …”

“Alright class, give smiley there time to get to his common room, then you can go to your next class.” Zatanna said with a smile before she returned to her desk.

After class the trio stayed behind to give the halls time to stabilize before they moved out of the class.

“So what’s next?” Harry asked as he followed Ron and Hermione out of the classroom.

“I’ve got Transfiguration,” Hermione stated looking at her schedule, “Then study time.”

“Me too,” Ron said, “Bloody shame we can’t take it together this year, mate.”

“Yeah,” Harry said scratching his head, “but this is the only time Professor Jordan can help me with … the special education.”

“I’m just glad it’s not Professor Snape helping you, Harry,” Hermione spoke up placing her hand on Harry’s arm. “He seems like a much better teacher for you.”

“You don’t know the half of it, Hermione,” Harry smiled half shamefully, before turning away, “We’ll I’ll see you during the study block if I can.”

“Actually I’m …” Hermione stopped herself when her two best friends looked at her. “Um, I’ll be a bit late from Transfiguration. I have to meet Luna at the Library to help her get some info …” She said blushing slightly, avoiding eye contact with Ron and Harry.

“That’s ok, well see you when we all can get there, huh?” Harry smiled slightly, but let it fall as his two friends disappeared from sight.

IOI

A green light shot across the sky making a bee line toward Hogsmeade. Green Lantern slowed his flight as he finally appeared over the village and began descending down into the ally Dumbledore and Jordan told him to meet Mad Eye Moody of the Order of the Phoenix.

“Bout time you got here, Potter,” Moody grumbled after glancing around to make sure no one was around, his large enchanted eye staring Green Lantern in the face.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Lantern replied with a straight face, which caused Moody to laugh.

“You’ve fooled everyone with that little Power Ring like ya Mum did when she was your age,” Moody shook his head, “But there’s no foolin’ me eye, boy.”

“So what’s going on?” Lantern changed the subject quickly.

“Deatheaters, boy,” Moody stated with a growl, “There’s rumors that there’s an inside man or men inside Hogwarts, giving um information on the secret entrances and exits. You’ve been keeping that bloody map safe, I hope.” Lantern nodded without glancing Moody’s way. “Good. You take the air and I’ll look around here on the ground. Word is they’ve been seen around the Shrieking Shack.”

Lantern started to take the air when Moody spoke up again. “Sorry bout Granger, Potter.”

“What?” Lantern stopped in mid air, “What do you mean?”

“She hasn’t told you then? Interesting.” Moody laughed slightly, “Nothin’ Potter, nothing serious anyway. Best take it up with her.”

Lantern stared for a moment before rocketing to the skies, he’d ask Hermione about it later, but first he had work to do. With the power of his ring he was able to get to the Shack long before Moody, and didn’t like what he saw at all. The boarded door was ripped wide opened. Lantern landed and ran into the house, and his heart stopped when he saw the passage to the Willow opened.

The Deatheaters would have easy gathering spot there near the Willow the only people who braved it period were Harry, Ron and Hermione who found the untraveled areas perfect places to sit down and study … “Oh no.”

IOI

“What’s keeping him?” Hermione asked frustratedly as she paced before Ron who was watching her dully from their usually study area just out of range of the Whomping Willow. “Harry said he’d be here, so where is he?”

“He’s probably just running late, may have stopped for a snack, or had a meaningful conversation with a snake or something …” Ron shrugged.

“Do you even listen to yourself speak?” Hermione snapped, looking at Ron with a faint hint of disgust.

“Yup, unlike some people I know who talk a kilometer a minute about everything but what people want to hear about,” Ron answered smugly.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hermione asked her temper begging to take the better of her.

“I dunno, Hermione,” Ron shrugged innocently. “I wasn’t talking about you par say, wait a tic… that DID describe you to the T didn’t it?”

“Awe how cute, a lover’s quarrel!” a voice spoke from near the strangely still Whomping Willow that caused both teens to turn pale. Hermione slowly turned and she and Ron saw Bellatrix smirking at them as a large force of Death Eaters and Dark Wizards began spilling from the cave below the Willow. “I had so much fun taking away one of Little Potter’s loved ones away, I think I’ll take away two more while I’m here.” Bellatrix chuckled slightly, “Oh come now, draw your wand, don’t make it too easy, or it won’t be any fun!”

Bellatrix’s chuckling was cut off when the now familiar humming of flight and a bright emerald light erupted from the cavern. “Awe bloody hell.” She complained, as the Green Lantern rocketed from the cave.

“I’m sorry, but do you guys have school passes?” Green Lantern asked the surprised Death Eaters with a smirk.

“EVERYONE BLAST THE BLASTED LANTERN AT ONCE!” Bellatrix bellowed as she and the mass of Death Eaters blasted a volley of A.K. curses at Green Lantern.

Hermione and Ron gasped when it met with a green explosion and Green Lantern’s body plummeted through the smoke landing at their feet with a thud.

“We got him?” Bellatrix asked in shock, as she, the two teenagers, and the Deatheaters stared in shock.

“Eisner, see if he’s dead!” Bellatrix ordered, one of the Deatheaters, who was very reluctant to approach the fallen hero. He approached the faced down green and black clad fighter and rolled him over, only to be shoved twenty feet into the air by a green blast from Green Lantern’s ring.

“You two, get out of here and get Dumbledore!” Green Lantern yelled at Ron and Hermione who stared at him just as surprised as Bellatrix. Lantern finally pulled himself up, favoring his ribs.

“Like we’re going to leave you like that,” Hermione said casting a stupefy spell. “As powerful as you are, you’re hurt.”

Green Lantern rolled his eyes behind his mask as he made a emerald net appear beneath the largest group of Deatheaters and tried to throw them but as he tried to lift them, pain shot through his injured side. “WATCH IT!” Ron yelled as he tackled the Lantern out of the way from a spell from Bellatrix.

“Two birds with one stone,” She smiled as she aimed her wand at the redhead and the Emerald Champion. But before she could cast a charm she was bombarded by enchanted birds.


”Bravo, Ms. Granger, Bravo,” Bellatrix smiled as she finally waved the birds off, and pointed her wand at the attacking witch. “Now let me show you one of my tricks. CRUCIO!” She bellowed as she fired a beam of light from her wand toward Hermione.

From out of nowhere the head boy jumped between them taking the blast for the bushy haired Muggle-born and fell to the ground screaming in pain, pulling at his Hogwarts robes over where the beam struck him. “TERRY! NO! TERRY!” Hermione cried out, her eyes growing wild as she dropped to the brown headed boy’s side, his blue eyes locking with her brown ones as if he was trying to ease the pain. “YOU BITCH, YOU … YOU …I HATE YOU!!” Hermione screamed, her face twisting in rage as she shot to her face and hit Bellatrix with a variety of curses and hexes sending her flying backwards against the Willow.

Bellatrix slide down the slope once Hermione stopped sending her curses, but before she could even catch her wind a vine from the Willow shot down and gripped her leg, and threw her high into the air, sailing into the Forbidden Forest. The remaining Deatheaters glanced at one another before making a tactical behind their leader’s flight-path.

“What are you doing here?” Ron asked as he helped the stunned Head Boy to a seated position.

“Hermione, you ok?” He asked, ignoring Ron’s question, only to grunt as the bushy haired teen gave him a bone crushing hug.

“Oh thank God you’re alright!” Hermione said pulling back to set on her knees before him. “You are ok right?”

“I asked first,” Terry grimaced, before Hermione did something that caused Green Lantern and Ron’s jaws to touch the ground. She moved in quickly and quite forcefully pressed her lips to Terry’s in a very heated kiss.

“WHAT THE HECK!” Ron pointed at the couple, gapping wildly.

Hermione pulled away quickly and paled as she turned to Ron and Lantern, “Ron … I was hoping to tell you and Harry together …” She said looking to the two stunned boys.

“WHAT THE HECK!” Ron pointed at the couple again, gapping wildly.

“Me and Terry …” Hermione started, averting her eyes.

“WHAT THE HECK!”

“We met during the Dumbledore’s Army last year, and well.” She continued ignoring Ron’s flustered look.

“WHAT THE HECK!”

“Ron, please stop it,” Hermione scolded. “It turns out he lived near me. And over the summer holiday he asked me out and I accepted. We’ve been a couple since.”

“WHAT THE-” Ron was cut off by a transparent green gag appearing around his mouth.

“Well, you better get him to the infirmary and tell Professor Dumbledore what happened,” Green Lantern said in a faraway voice, glancing around at the unconscious Deatheater that didn’t get away. “I’ll take care of him.”

Hermione watched Green Lantern fly away with a curious eye, before turning to help her newly revealed boyfriend to his feet.

Ron just watched the pair before pointing again. “WHAT THE HECK!!”

IOI

Green Lantern dropped the Deatheater off at the Aurors’ HQ in London, before taking the long way around the country back to Hogwarts, letting the cool evening breeze wash through his face and hair. Something about Hermione dating this guy annoyed the hell out of him. ‘Cool it, Potter, she’s a girl, girls have boyfriends. It happens,’ Harry scolded himself as he approached Hogwarts Castle. ‘Boyfriends become lovers, and lovers become husbands … what if Terry already passed the border of lover, Hermione did seem flushed this morning and said she … Stop it Potter, stop it right there!” He said to himself as he used the ring to open the window to his dorm room on Gryffindor Tower and glided inside.

Without looking around Green Lantern turned to Harry’s dresser and pulled out his red and gold pajamas and laid them on the bed. “What’s she see in Terry anyway?” Green Lantern asked as his ring and uniform gave a bright glow before flashing brightly as he reverted back to Harry Potter. “Just got to act surprised in the morning … won’t be too hard” he mumbled to himself as he picked up the pajama bottoms.

Harry dropped the pants to the floor and froze in terror when he heard Ron’s voice behind him. “WHAT THE HECK!!!!”

Harry slowly turned to see Ron staring at him wide eyed and gapped mouth and pointing. “Um … how long have you been standing there, mate?”

“WHAT THE HECK!!!” Ron responded, pointing at Harry’s hand where the ring was.

“Oh dear.”

IOI TO BE CONTINUED IOI