Secrets From the Past

Green_Eye_Sparkle16

Rating: PG13
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 12/01/2005
Last Updated: 17/07/2005
Status: Paused

NEW CHAPTER UP: SPOILER WARNING...A/N IS UP JUL 17, 2005. Story is slightly AU. SUMMARY: In his seventh and final year, Harry Potter, back at Hogwarts once more, is faced with a whole new set of challenges. The time at school had just seemed to fly by. There were rare moments in all six years when Harry’s mind was at ease. Now, here they were, he and his best friends, in their seventh and final year at Hogwarts. This year, Harry was ready for anything and everything. Everything, but what he least expected. He was ready for anything and everything, except the most extraordinary discovery of his life. ~~~~~~ Please READ & REVIEW! I’d love to hear your thoughts on this story!

1. The End


DISCLAIMER: All existing things Harry Potter belong to J. K. Rowling.

A/N: I had an idea that just kept building into a bigger story. This is a Harry/Hermione fic, but it is going to take a while to get there. This story is filled with unexpected twists and turns and borders on the line of AU....barely...okay so maybe it's an eighth over the line...But again, that's not until later.

Please review and let me know what you think.

Prologue

Harry, Ron and Hermione were now on the Hogwarts Express, making their yearly journey to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. They had been through so much together in the past six years. Harry, who had experienced the worst of all six years combined was ready to take it easy this year; even though he knew it would be impossible. Lord Voldemort was still out there. He was still after Harry and the ones he cared for. For 17 years now, Voldemort was still chasing him. The time at school had just seemed to fly by. There were rare moments in all six years when Harry's mind was at ease. Now, here they were, he and his best friends; in their seventh and final year at Hogwarts. This year, Harry was ready for anything and everything. Everything, but what he least expected. He was ready for anything and everything, except the most extraordinary discovery of his life.

The End

As the Hogwarts Express pulled up to the station, Harry , Hermione and Ron were collecting their things, ready to begin their final year at Hogwarts. There was an atmosphere filled with excitement, fear and anticipation all around them. As usual, they heard the comforting shouts of Hagrid calling the first years to the boats. It had only seemed like yesterday that they had been first years.

They made there way towards the carriages being pulled by the thestrals. They climbed in, and sat in silence until they reached the castle. Exiting the carriages, they stood on the front steps of the castle that they had called home for the past six years and stared upward at it's enormity in awe, having never truly appreciated the place until now. Finally, Hermione spoke, still looking up.

“Here we are.” she said.

“Yep.” said Harry.

“Yeah.” Ron sighed.

Hermione brought her gaze back down and looked sideways at Harry and Ron. “It's hard to believe how fast it went by, isn't it?”

They both turned to her and nodded. And once again stared at the enormous castle. Then, finally noticing the students trying to get around them, they walked through the castle gates.

The Great Hall looked wonderful as always. The ceiling was bewitched to reflect the sky outside, the sorting hat was sitting on a stool waiting to sort the first years into their houses, and the teachers were all up in front waiting for the sorting ceremony to begin.

As they took their seats at the Gryffindor table, Harry looked up at the staff table and saw someone he did not recognize.

“Look.” He told Ron and Hermione. “Who's that?”

Ron and Hermione leaned forward to get a better look at the new staff member. It was a woman. She had a slim face with a large smile plastered on it. Her hair was long, dark and wavy. She was a thin woman, and looked nothing like a teacher.

“Dunno.” Ron said.

“Maybe she's our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.” Hermione suggested.

“Yeah, she probably is.” Harry said turning away.

As soon as the Great Hall was filled with all the returning students, the first years began to make their way in through the doors, led by Professor McGonagall. Harry noticed their faces. They were terrified. He chuckled to himself and thought about how he felt the first time he walked through those doors. He had been filled with hope and fear all at the same time. He thought of how wonderful he had felt after he was sorted into Gryffindor. Before he knew it, he was grinning to himself.

“Harry?” Hermione said, snapping him out of his memory.

“What are you grinning for? You spaced out for a moment there.” Hermione whispered.

“OH.” Harry said, feeling rather stupid. He must have looked funny, just grinning into thin air. “I was just thinking about our first year.” he told her. Hermione gave him a grin back and returned to watching the sorting. A girl name Candace Canterbury had just been sorted into Gryffindor. The table applauded loudly and cheered for her.

Soon the ceremony was over and Professor Dumbledore was rising to give his beginning of term speech. He reminded the students of the restrictions their were: forbidden corridors, entering the forest. and the faces of the first year students seemed to grow even more frightened and worried. Harry thought they'd all might nearly pass out after Dumbledore had recalled the previous years about Voldemorts return and the precautions that must be taken.

The list went on, including Qudditch tryouts.

“If anyone wishes to try out for the House teams please see Madame Hooch. The trials will be held during the second week of the term.” Dumbledore said.

Afterward, Professor Dumbledore went on to introduce their, of course, new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Delia Bright. Everyone clapped and Ron whispered to Harry and Hermione sarcastically, “Wonder how she'll turn out.” They smiled at him and laughed.

“She doesn't look bad.” Hermione said. “She couldn't possibly be any worse than Umbridge was.”

After the school song was sung and the students were fed. Everyone had forgotten their worries and were ready for bed. Just as everyone was ready to get up and leave, Dumbledore began to speak again.

“There is one more thing I forgot to mention. Tomorrow, a new student will be arriving at Hogwarts. She is in her seventh year, transfer student. She is an extremely bright witch and I will expect you all to welcome her to her new home here at Hogwarts. She will be sorted into a house, privately. If she is to be sorted into your house, I will expect that house to treat her kindly and help her become accustomed to our ways. Thank you. You may all proceed to your dormitories now. Goodnight.

The Hall was buzzing. Who was this new girl that was to arrive at Hogwarts? Harry, Ron and Hermione got up from their seats and made their way towards the Griffindor common room. They reached the portrait hole before the first years, not wanting to wait in a line behind them.

“Hermione, do you know the password?” Harry asked.

Hermione smiled. Of course I do. “I'm Head Girl aren't I? You should know too.” she said looking at Harry. “ Head Boy. Honestly, I don't know how you managed to remember all of the instructions for the prefects on the train.”

“I forgot it. I remember the one to my room though.” he replied.

“Hmm...” Hermione said and looked at him and rolled her eyes grinning, then back at the portrait of the Fat Lady. “Devil's Snare.” she told her.

The Fat Lady's portrait swung open to let them in.

Ron laughed and looked at Harry. “How could you forget that?” he asked. “You're turning into Neville!”

Harry simply rolled his eyes at him and walked through the portrait hole into the common room. They quickly sat down in their usual seats beside the fire and immersed themselves in conversation about the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Bright. After about an hour of talking and watching the new first years explore Gryffindor Tower, they were all ready for bed. As they got up Harry mentioned the new seventh year they were expecting tomorrow.

“Who do you think she is?” he asked Ron and Hermione.

“Who knows.” Hermione replied. “I wonder what school she used to go to.” Then she shrugged and let out a yawn. “Well, I'm tired. Harry, are you ready to go see our new dorms?”

“Yeah, let's go.”

“Night Ron.” Harry and Hermione said.

“Night.” Ron said to them. Ron walked up to his usual dorm and Harry and Hermione set off to find theirs.

Harry and Hermione quickly found their rooms. Hermione walked up to the portrait leading into the Head Girl chambers and said “Hogwarts, A History.” The portrait swung open and she bid Harry goodnight and walked in.

Harry walked up to the portrait that led to his chambers. “Quidditch Seeker.” he said. And just as Hermione's had done, it swung open to let him in.

The Head Boy, dormitory was enormous. It was like having the whole common room to himself. Harry found his bedroom and didn't even bother to undress. He simply flopped on his bed and went to sleep. Peace...for now.

A/N: I know that was short...the chapters will get longer...I promise. Writing this story partially blind is pretty hard, seeing as how the 6th book won't be available until July....so I'm doing my best to fill in a few gaps without the 6th year.

You won't realize it until a few chapters in though, (how out there this story really is) so you're in for a lot of surprises if you keep reading. Please do...at least until you think I've gone mad! Well I'm off to finish Funny Feelings.


-->

2. The New Girl

A/N: Here is chapter 2. I hope you like it. Please Read and Review! Thanks. :D

The New Girl

Harry woke early the next morning feeling extremely relaxed. He had never slept in a bed the size of this one. It was a king size four poster that took up nearly half of the room. He crawled out of bed and decided to explore his new chambers. He walked out of the bedroom and found himself in his own private study. There was a cedar desk sitting near a window with an enormous chair behind it. The walls were covered in bookshelves. And to his amazement, most of them had been filled with books about quidditch. The others were filled with books on Defense Against the Dark Arts and Useful spells. He made his way over to his desk and noticed something sitting on top of it. It was a picture of his mum and dad. He had never seen this picture before. He smiled to himself and muttered, “Dumbledore.”

After a few minutes in the study, he walked out and into his very own common room. It was enormous. There was an enormous sofa in front of a fireplace and squashy armchairs all around. Harry moved out of the room and found the bathroom. It too was extremely large. There was a large tub at the end and a shower right beside it. He quickly decided that he’d best take a shower before he woke up from this dream.

As soon as Harry had finished showering, he quickly got dressed and left his dormitory to see Hermione. He wondered if she had been as amazed by her new room as he had been. He knocked on her portrait door. No answer. He knocked again and the portrait door swung open. In front of him, he found Hermione smiling gleefully. She pulled him in quickly.

“Harry, how was your room? Aren’t these amazing?” she asked walking into her common room. It was a cheerful, bright room. Much unlike Harry’s which was decorated in deep dark colors and very masculine, this one was very feminine.

“Yeah.” he said, seeing that she was, perhaps more excited than he was.

“Oh, and my password’s ‘Hogwarts, A History’.” she said turning to him. “You know, so you can just let yourself in next time.”

“Oh...mine’s ‘Quidditch Seeker’”, Harry said. “You know, if you ever need to get in to mine.” Harry said.

She smiled at him and went into her bedroom, Harry following close behind.

“Wow Hermione. If it’s possible, I think you’re room is bigger than mine.”

“I don’t think so. I think they’re the same. OH! But you haven’t seen the best part.” she said. Her face grew with excitement as she pulled him into a large circular room. It was her study.

“Look!” she said. Her study was definitely bigger than his, rather, taller. Her walls were lined with bookshelves as well, but they towered as high as the ceiling.

“Whoa.” was all Harry could say.

“There has to be at least a thousand books in here!” Hermione said, still beaming. “I was up all night going through them. And sure enough, Harry noticed the pile of open books lying on her cherry desk.

“Well,” Hermione said, peeling her eyes away from the books. “Should we go and get Ron for breakfast?”

Harry turned to her and nodded. “That’s what I came to get you for.”

They turned out of the study and left the Head Girl Chambers and walked off to get Ron. When they reached the Gryffindor common room, they found Ron sitting on the sofa reading the Quibbler.

“Morning.” he said.

“Good Morning.” Harry and Hermione said.

“How the rooms last night?” Ron asked them.

“Great! You’re going to have to come and see them later!” Harry said. “Anyway, how was your night?”

“Well, it was different. I mean, I like Dean, Neville and Seamus; but it just wasn’t the same.” said Ron.

“I know what you mean.” Harry said.

“Hey, let’s go get some breakfast.” Hermione suggested. “I’m starving.”

Ron got up from the sofa and set his issue of the Quibbler aside and they all headed off for breakfast. When they got there, the found their seats and began to eat.

“Guess who.” said a dreamy voice behind Ron. The person had covered his eyes with their hands.

“Morning Luna.” Ron said sweetly. He grabbed her hands off of his face and kissed them as she sat down next to him. “Where were you last night? I didn’t even see you on the train.”

“Oh, I didn’t get here until this morning. Didn’t you get that owl I sent you the day before yesterday?”

“No.”

“Oh, poor thing must have gotten lost. Anyway,” she said briskly. “daddy and I got back late. You know, he had to do all that press after we discovered the Crumple Horned Snorkack.” She gave him a swift peck on the cheek and turned to Harry and Hermione. “Good Morning” she said dreamily.

“Morning Luna.” they both said.

Ron and Luna had been dating since the end of last year. I t was quite a shock to everyone, especially to Harry and Hermione, but they accepted the pair without question. Ron and Luna seemed to be very much in love by the way they behaved and constantly talked about one another.

They had just finished their breakfast when Professor McGonagall came around and handed them their schedules. They all immediately moaned at the sight of what class they had first.

“Advanced Potions?” Ron whined. “First thing in the morning?”

“Yeah, and then we have Transfiguration. And look, we haven’t got Defense Against the Dark Arts until tomorrow. That’s odd.” Hermione said. Just then Professor Dumbledore appeared behind her. Noticing, Ron tapped her hand and nodded behind her. She turned around. And slightly shocked, gave a little “oh” in surprise. “Professor Dumbledore.” she said. “Good morning.”

“Good morning Miss Granger. I trust you slept well last night? And you Harry?” He asked looking at them both.

“Oh, yes. Very well thank you.” Hermione said as Harry nodded in agreement. “Really great” he said.

“Wonderful.” Dumbledore said turning his attention back towards Hermione. “Miss Granger, if you would kindly join me in my office please? Our new student has been sorted into Gryffindor and I would be most grateful if you would show her around the grounds.”

“Oh, of course Professor.” Hermione said getting up from her seat and looking at Harry, Ron and Luna. “I’ll see you guys later.” They nodded and waved goodbye. Just then, Ginny walked up and joined them.

“Where’s Hermione going?” she asked. Luna told her all about it.

After hearing Luna explain, Ginny let out a laugh. “Oh,” she said. “I thought Hermione was actually in trouble or something.”

They all laughed at the thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Hermione and Professor Dumbledore entered his office, Hermione saw the new seventh year girl sitting in the chair in front of Dumbledore’s desk.

The girl turned around and got up out of her seat. She had a sleek figure, long, dark wavy hair and deep green eyes and was at least an inch taller than Hermione.

“Hello” she said, walking over and sticking out her hand for Hermione to shake. “Elizabeth Halsey. Nice to meet you.”

“Hi. Hermione Granger. Nice to meet you too.” Hermione replied.

“I felt it best that the Head Girl, Miss Granger show you around Miss Halsey.” Dumbledore said to her. “You both are extremely bright witches. I thought you’d have something in common.”

“Thanks Professor” they both said.

Dumbledore moved to sit behind his desk, and motioned for them to take the seats in front of him. They sat down and waited for him to speak. He looked at Hermione and began to explain things about Elizabeth.

“Miss Halsey here, has been privately tutored most of her life. This is only the second school she has attended.”

“Really?” Hermione said, looking at Elizabeth both surprised and intrigued.

“Yes. I’ve done A LOT of traveling.” Elizabeth said. “I studied one year in Beuxbauton, when I lived in France. It really wasn’t that pleasant to tell the truth.”

Hermione and Dumbledore laughed. “Well, Hogwarts is really wonderful.” Hermione told her. “I think you’ll really like it here.”

“Yes, I’m sure I will.” she said to Hermione.

They discussed many things about Elizabeth. It turned out that she was quite advanced in Defense Against the Dark Arts and did not need any further instruction. Elizabeth turned out to be quite an extraordinary person. She had indeed done A LOT of traveling. She had been to so many places: France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Egypt and America. After 20 minutes or so, the conversation came to an end.

“Well,” Dumbledore said briskly. “Here is your schedule Miss Halsey.” he said handing her a piece of parchment. “Miss Granger will kindly show you around the grounds and all of the classrooms.”

“Thank you so much Professor Dumbledore.” Elizabeth said gratefully. She and Hermione got up from their seats and walked out of the office and rode the stone staircase back down.

“Well,” Hermione said looking sideways at Elizabeth. “Where would you like to go first?”

“Well, I don’t know actually. Why don’t we just start with the classrooms.” she said.

“Oh, that’s good. We’ll do that.” They toured the classrooms that they both had classes in. Hermione discovered that Elizabeth also had a passion for Advanced Arithmacy. She and Hermione certainly did have a lot in common. Hermione also discovered she loved to read as well. Though there were similarities between them, Elizabeth seemed more outgoing and outspoken.

“Yeah, I love Arithmacy.” she told Hermione. “And you can call me Liz...I don’t really fancy being called ‘Elizabeth’, it makes me feel like I’m in trouble or something in.”

“Alright.” Hermione said. “Well now that we’re done with the classes, do you want to go to Gryffindor Tower now, and meet everyone?”

“Yeah. Let’s go.” Hermione and Liz were finally arrived at the portrait and Hermione gave Liz the password and told her to try it out.

“Devil’s Snare.” Liz said to the Fat Lady. And the portrait door swung open. As they entered they came face to face with Harry and Ron.

“Oh, hello.” Hermione said. “We were just going to come and see you.” Hermione said.

“We were just coming to look for you.” Harry said. Liz smiled.

“Oh,” Hermione said. “Harry Potter, Ron Weasley...this is Liz Halsey. The three of them shook hands and moved back into the common room. “Nice to meet you.” they all said to one another.

“Harry’s Head Boy.” Hermione told Liz.

“Oh, you are? Congratulations.” she said to Harry.

Harry eyed Liz closely for a moment. “Thanks. Erm...do I know you?” he finally asked? “You look really familiar.”

“No.” Liz said. “I think I would remember meeting the famous Harry Potter.”

“Oh.” was all Harry said.

“Sorry.” Liz said quickly. “You probably hate when people say that don’t you?” Harry smiled gratefully that she understood. And noticed, Ron too was looking at her suspiciously. “Harry’s right.” he said. “You do look familiar.”

“Really?” Liz asked, smiling. “That’s weird.”

“Well, I’m going to take Liz upstairs to see her room.” Hermione said at once. The two girls walked up the spiral staircase leading to the girls’ dormitories. Harry and Ron heard Hermione tell Liz, “You’ll love Lavender and Parvati.” She had said it in the most sarcastic way.

After a few minutes had passed, Ron and Harry were sitting by the fire waiting for Hermione and Liz to return. Finally they heard footsteps coming down the stairs. They had returned.

“Well, now that you’re settled in,” Hermione said to Liz. “why don’t you just sit and chat with us until Advanced Potions. It doesn’t start for another hour.” Harry and Ron grumbled.

“What?” Liz asked. “What’s wrong with Advanced Potions? Is it supposed to be a difficult class”

“It’s not so much Potions that’s difficult,” Ron answered. “As it is the Professor. Professor Snape.”

“Oh.” Liz said, now comprehending. “Is he that bad?”

“Well, we’ll let you see for yourself in an hour.” Harry said.

They talked about Liz’s interests and such things over the next hour, but were cut short of hearing anything about her childhood history, when the bell rang. They gathered up their things and headed for Snape’s dungeon. “Get ready.” Harry whispered to Liz at the entrance to the classroom. They all laughed. And the four of them walked into Snape’s classroom.

A/N: It sort of seems like I’m making the trio into a quartet, doesn’t it? Not the case...please keep reading and as I post new chapters...you’ll begin to understand. I’m really anxious to hear what you all think. I really hope you will all enjoy this story.

3. Potions Class and a History Lesson


Potions Class and a History Lesson

A/N: This chapter's got quite a bit more happening in it. I think it will make up a little for the first two.

As they entered the Potions classroom, Liz saw that the dungeon was dark and dreary. Of course. She thought. “Is this Professor seriously depressed or something?” she asked Ron.

“No.” he said to her laughing. “He's just a grouchy git all the time.” Just as Ron had finished his sentence, Professor Snape came striding in. They quickly took their seats and waited for Snape to speak.

“Welcome to Advanced Potions.” Snape said, in a very unwelcome tone. “ As seventh years, I expect you all to act as such in this class. Poor behavior will not be permitted. Now, turn in your textbooks to page 17 and read through page 39. Make sure to take notes, as you most definitely will be quizzed at the end of each week.”

The sound of rustling pages filled the classroom as the students flipped through their books to page 17. By the time Harry, Ron and Hermione had gotten to page 23, they began concealing muffled laughter. They had done so at the mention of the Polyjuice potion. Liz looked over at them, wondering what on earth they could have been laughing about. Ron was just about to whisper a false explanation when Snape came trudging over to them and eyed Harry, Ron and Hermione.

“What exactly is so funny that the three of you felt you must disrupt my class?” Snape asked them in an annoyed tone. Liz quickly looked at their vacant expressions and spoke up. “It was my doing Professor.” she said.

“You're doing?” Snape asked, turning toward her. “Ah yes, our new student. Miss Halsey is it?”

“Yes.” she said.

“Well then, what was so funny that you had to disturb my class?”

“Well, you see, I was just telling these three a story about the time when my Aunt Marjorie used the wrong hair for her Polyjuice potion.” Liz began laughing. “Instead of taking the hair of my Aunt Emily, who she envied because of her perfect nose, she ended up using my great grandmother's hair - who was, I dunno, about 92 years old at the time...Anyway, so she drinks it and - ”

“Enough.” Snape said at once. “Ten points from Gryffindor.”

“What?! I was just telling you the - ”

“For disrupting this class.” Snape said coldly. “And another five from you three.” he said pointing at Ron, Harry and Hermione.

“WHAT?!” Liz exclaimed. “What for? They didn't even do anything.”

“Another five points from you Ms. Halsey.” Snape said to her looking extremely happy. “I suggest you keep quiet now and continue reading. Do not disrupt my class again or you will find yourself familiar with one of my detentions by the end of the day.”

As Snape walked away, Liz turned to Harry, Ron and Hermione and rolled her eyes. “He's being rather rude.” she whispered to them. To their horror, Snape had heard her. He turned his heel quick and was soon right in front of her.

“Rude am I, Miss Halsey? Well congratulations, you've just earned yourself detention. Something Potter and Weasley here to tell you stories about.” he said as his lip curled. “Stay after class and we shall discuss the time arrangements.”

“Yes sir.” said Liz looking Snape straight in the eye.

The remainder of class was spent in silence or by listening to Snape discuss various potions. “We will be mixing up a few of these potions next class.” Snape said. When the bell finally rang everyone began collecting their bags. Liz simply sat still. “We'll wait for you out in the hall.” Hermione said to her. “Thanks.” Liz said gratefully.

Harry, Hermione and Ron had been waiting for Liz for nearly 10 minutes when finally Liz emerged from Snapes dungeon. “So, how'd it go?” Harry asked her.

“Fine.” she said casually. “I have detention tonight at nine o'clock.” Her expression did not match that of a person who had just received detention, she was smiling. “I'm not worried about it. He was being rude.” The four of them laughed and started walking to Transfiguration class.

“Well congratulations.” Harry told her and shaking her hand.

“For what?” she asked puzzled.

“For making it onto Snapes `I Hate You' list on your first day.”

“Yeah, Harry managed the same thing!” Ron chimed in, remembering their first Potions class.

“So Snape is going to hate me for the rest of the year.” Liz said slowly. And then added a quick “oh well”. They all laughed and continued to walk to Transfiguration.

The rest of the day went by smoothly. Liz had enjoyed her first day, with the exception of Advanced Potions of course. She had enjoyed Transfiguration Class with Professor McGonagall. They seemed to have gotten along very well. She also enjoyed Arithmacy. Hermione was extremely grateful to finally have someone to talk to about the subject, seeing as Ron and Harry thought she was mad for enjoying a subject that had so much work.

By the time they had finished dinner it was about 7 o'clock. They were now all sitting in the common room getting to know Liz a little better. Harry, Ron and Hermione sat on the large sofa while Liz sat in one of the armchairs. They began to listen to her story. “Well, I was born in London, and practically raised everywhere. My father, he was a muggle, was an archaeologist and...erm...well he died in a collapsed tomb in Egypt when I was eleven.”

“I'm sorry.” they all said together.

“It's okay.” Liz told them. That' was a long time ago. Anyway, I've still got mum. She er...works for Gringotts in France. We've lived their for the past four years now. Before we moved there, I was home schooled. My mother taught me everything I know. Then, the first year we lived in France, I attended Beauxbaton. I did not like it. People there are really snobby actually.”

“Tell me about it.” Ron told her.

“Oh, you've been there?” she asked him incredulously.

“No, but they've been here.” They told her all about the Triwizard Tournament.

“Oh...Right. I remember reading about that.” Liz said. Harry who did not want to talk about the happenings in fourth year, quickly steered the subject back to Liz's history. “Hermione told us you were really good at Defense Against the Dark Arts. How did you get so good that you don't even have to take the class this year?”

“Well, my mom taught me mostly, she's really smart. And, traveling around the world, well, I had other tutors who were really talented and they taught me what they knew.”

“Oh.” Harry said.

“But enough about me.” Liz said briskly. “What's it been like practically growing up here at Hogwarts? I mean, how did the three of you meet and become friends?” At this question, Harry, Ron and Hermione chuckled.

“Well, it's an interesting story.” Hermione said.

“Very interesting.” Ron repeated.

“Well, it was our first Halloween here at Hogwarts, Ron and I had already met on the train. Then it all started when Hermione was crying in the bathroom.” Harry said.

“Hey!” Hermione said defensively and hitting him in the arm.

“Ouch! What? You were.” Harry said looking at Hermione.

“Yes, but you didn't tell her why I was crying.” Hermione said with the slightest tone of resentfulness.

Liz was watching them talk back and forth and smiled.

“Anyway,” Harry continued. “Hermione was crying in the girls bathroom because Ron,” he said looking over at him and back to Liz, “and I hadn't really been that nice to her.”

“And then Quirrell let in a troll and - ” Ron began.

“Quirrell? Who's Quirrell?” Liz asked.

“Oh, he was our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was always really nervous, but I suppose that was because V-Voldemort was glued on to the back of his head.” Ron explained to a now very confused Liz.

“Ron, stop confusing her. We'll tell you about that later.” Hermione said.

“Yeah.” Harry laughed. “So, back to the troll. Quirrell let a troll inside the castle and he came running in the Great Hall screaming like he'd just found it roaming around the dungeon. We were all going to our common rooms when I remembered Hermione was still in the bathroom and didn't know about the troll. So Ron and I ran off to find her. While we were running we saw the troll and we ended up locking it in the bathroom with Hermione. After we realized what we did, we ran in after it and Hermione was screaming. I somehow managed to get on top of it and Ron levitated the club it was holding and hit it on the head. And, my wand ended up in it's nose...it was really gross.”

Hermione then finished the story. “So then Professor McGonagall comes in and catches us Ron and Harry in the girls' bathroom with the troll when they were supposed to be in the common room. I thought she was about to expel them so I told McGonagall that they had come looking for me because I had gone after the troll because I had read all about them. So, McGonagall took away five points from me and gave Harry and Ron five each. And from then on we were friends.” Hermione looked side to side at Harry and Ron and gave them both big smiles.

“Wow,” Liz said. “Not many people become friends like that.”

“No, they don't.” said Ron. “Usually people go about it the normal way. You know, handshake and `hello'”. Liz laughed. “Yes,” she said. “But your way makes you all unique.”

The three of them sat and stared at her for a moment. “Yeah, I guess you're right.” Harry said.

“Well, that was a great story. I'd love to stay, but it's nearly eight thirty and I don't want to be late for my first detention ever!” Liz said in a mock excited voice. “I'll see you guys later.” she said walking out the portrait hole.

“Bye.” They shouted after her. When she was gone, the three of them remained on the sofa and stared into the fire until Ron suddenly began to snore. Hermione rolled her eyes and looked at Harry. “I guess we should send him to bed then.” she said. Harry laughed. “Yeah.”

They stood up and prodded Ron awake. “Wha - what?” Ron woke up startled. “Ron, it's just us mate.” Harry said. “Go to bed.” Ron slowly rose from the sofa and vaguely waved them off and went up to the boys' dormitory. Harry and Hermione laughed to each other and decided to go to their rooms.

As they walked off to their rooms Harry suggested Hermione come and see his. She agreed and they made their way to Harry's room. When they arrived at the portrait guarding the entrance to Harry's room Hermione quickly said `Qudditch Seeker.” and the portrait door swung open. Harry looked at her grinning. “Just going to let yourself in are you?”

“What?” she asked him surprised at him. “You invited me in. And you gave me your password this morning. If I remember correctly, you said it was so I could get into your room whenever I needed to. Anyway,” she added briskly, “I showed you mine now you show me yours.” The comment had come across very playfully. At this, Harry tried with all his might to conceal his teenage thoughts from creeping up on his face. Unfortunately for him, he failed. Hermione had noticed immediately what he was thinking.

“Harry!” she shrieked.

“What?!” he asked quickly and in a rather thick tone. “I didn't say anything.”

“You didn't have to.” said Hermione with a suspicious grin on her face and walked into his room. Harry followed her into the room feeling embarrassed.

Harry nearly lost her at the pace she had walked in. After checking his bedroom and bathroom, he checked the study and found her already searching through Harry's library of Defense Against the Dark Arts books. When she saw Harry enter the room she let out a little squeal. “Harry, this is amazing isn't it? Look at all these books! I don't even remember seeing these in the Room of Requirement during our D. A. meetings.” she said incredulously.

“Yeah.” said Harry, looking at Hermione's excited expression. Before he knew it, she had taken a seat behind his desk and was now pouring over a book filled with DADA spells. Harry smiled and pulled a book full of Quidditch play patterns and sat down on the small sofa near the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, Liz was walking down the corridors to go to Snape's detention. When she reached the doorway to his dungeon, she peered in to see him sitting at his desk. She walked in slowly and stood in front of him. “Professor,” she said. “Reporting for detention.”

Snape looked up with a cold expression. “You went a tad overboard today...Miss Halsey.”

A smile crept across Liz's face. “Well, you were being rather rude.” she said sitting down in a chair next to her. “So, do I really have to do this? Or can we pretend and I'll make something up to tell everyone?”

“Just go.” Snape said. And with that, Liz stood and walked out of the classroom and off to the kitchens for a snack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in Harry's study, Harry and Hermione had been reading silently for nearly an hour. Hermione now lay fast asleep on Harry's desk, with a book cushioning her head. Harry was also asleep on his sofa. Their first day had certainly been a memorable one. Head Boy and Head Girl. A new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher (which was hardly anything new). And they had made a new friend. Harry had fallen asleep feeling that the year just might turn out normal. He certainly hoped so.

A/N: Hmm...what do you think of Liz now? You've got questions...I've got the answers...the answers you won't get until later. **grins slyly**

The H/Hr plot is slowly progressing. There is a reason for the slow approach. I can assure you it will all fall into place soon. I hope you will continue to read. Thank you. Please Review. :)


-->

4. Meet Professor Bright


A/N: I am so sorry that this chapter took me so long to post. You see, I just got a new MP3 player and sort of went a little nuts with it. Downloading left and right you see. Anyhow, here's the new chapter. I hope you like it. Please review!

Meet Professor Bright

Harry awoke the next day to see Hermione still fast asleep. Her head was now lying atop her crossed arms and her hair was tossed wildly around her. The sun was glimmering in through the window that stood behind the desk. It's light was bathing the room in ethereal sunshine. And the light was illuminating Hermione's bright, bushy hair. She stirred suddenly, Harry could have sworn he had just heard her mumble something in her sleep. Harry smiled inwardly and chuckled. He walked over to the desk and around it and next to her sleeping form. He patted her shoulder lightly. “Hermione,” he said softly. “Wake up.”

She stirred once more then finally lifted her head. Blinking wearily, she turned to face a smiling Harry. “Harry.” she said smiling slightly. “What...oh we must have fallen asleep reading.”

“Yeah.” Harry said as he offered her a hand and helped her to her feet. As she stood, the sunlight hit her face and she winced fiercely and turned away. “Ugh, the sun is too bright for my

liking right now.” said Hermione, rubbing her eyes and moving in towards Harry's bedroom. Harry lingered behind to put the Quidditch book he had left on the sofa back up on the shelf. As he reached up to put the book in its proper place, he heard a shriek come from his bedroom. Dropping the book he quickly ran in. “What's happened? What's wrong? Hermione, are you okay?”

Hermione stood in the middle of the room and pointed to the large clock hanging on the wall. “Harry, we slept in!” Hermione yelped in a panicky voice. “We're going to be so late for Defense Against the Dark Arts!” Harry barely had time to register what she was screaming about until she came dashing towards him to go back into the study. He wheeled around after her and saw her collect her bag that she had laid down on the floor, then she zoomed past him and out to the common room. “Harry, hurry up and change! I'll go and get changed and meet you out in the hall in 2 minutes.” Hermione said hastily and walked though the portrait hole.

Harry nodded to the back of her head and rushed to go and change his clothes.

When Harry met Hermione in the hallway, she was pacing back and forth waiting for him. “Hurry up, let's go.” she said to him and pulled him down the corridor. “Hermione, we're not even that late.” Harry said to her, trying to make matters seem better. “We're only late by about 5 minutes.” At this Hermione managed to break her mad - dash pace and go into a full on sprint. Finally, they reached the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. When they walked in, the were astonished to find everyone in the classroom talking amongst themselves and no teacher in sight. Immensely relieved, they walked down the aisle and took their seats next to Ron.

“Late? Head Boy and Head Girl late for a class?” Ron said to them in a mock disapproving tone. “Tsk, tsk.”

“Shut up Ron!” Hermione said and rolled her eyes. “We fell asleep reading in Harry's study last night.”

“Oh.” Ron said. “Reading huh?”

“What?” Hermione asked snappishly.

“Nothing.” Ron said looking away from her and to Harry. “You two are both lucky. The new teacher hasn't come in yet.”

“Really?” Hermione asked looking surprised. “You mean the teacher is late?”

“Yep.” said Ron. Harry looked at Hermione. “Lucky us then.” They all began to laugh lightly, when the doors of the classroom flew open. Everyone turned around to look. There, in the middle of the doors archway was Professor Bright. She was dusting off her robes and then finally walked in.

She walked into the classroom up to the front. As she passed, Hermione noticed her hair falling out of place. Professor Bright reached up and fixed it quickly before she reached the front of the classroom. She stopped suddenly. Everyone was looking at each other as if waiting for something extraordinary to happen. Then, Professor Bright turned around to face them all. While standing, Professor Bright was very tall. She had dirty blonde hair and looked around the age of 26 and had a very sweet look about her.

“Good morning.” she said in a calm yet rushed voice. “I am so sorry I'm late. I had a little trouble getting started this morning.” She stopped speaking and put a finger to her chin and tapped it several times before speaking again. “Hmmm...” she said, stopping the tapping. “Maybe I'm just nervous.” The class was silent and still. Professor Bright looked up at the ceiling, apparently in thought. “Anyway,” she said looking back at the class. “Welcome to Defense Against the Dark Arts. I am Professor Delia Bright. And I beg you please, please...no jokes about the Arts and my name Bright...really, I've heard them all summer and they're getting rather annoying.”

The class laughed and she picked up a piece of parchment lying on her desk. She skimmed over it quickly and then looked out at the students once more. “I would like to make the first part of the lesson an introduction. I'm new and I want to learn your names as quickly as possible. So, when I call your name could you please raise your hand.” She went through the entire list, then finally began to walk up and down the aisles and explained her policies on homework and rules of the class. She turned out to be extremely lenient. As she approached Harry she looked down at him. “Ah, Mr. Potter,” she said. Harry looked up mildly startled. “Look I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I heard at the age of 15 you were already able to produce a Corperal Patronus?”

“Yes.” Harry answered.

Professor Bright was beaming. “Well that's extremely amazing.

Would you mind at all if you could demonstrate for the class. I daresay it will be more for my enjoyment, but uh, 10 points for Gryffindor are in store.” she said smiling. Harry quickly agreed and went up to the front of the classroom. He heard a loud huffing noise from Malfoy as he pulled out his wand. He disregarded it, Malfoy was such a git. I bet he can't do it. Harry thought to himself. Then he let his mind drift to a happy memory. He thought of the night before. He thought about he, Ron and Hermione reminiscing about how they had become friends. Then, with that thought in mind, he shouted, “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” Out of his wand, came the familiar silvery mist and then the image of a stag. It stood tall and proud, then faded after Harry lowered his wand.

“Excellent!” Professor Bright said clapping her hands. The class clapped also, all except half of the Slytherins of course.

Harry felt over praised. He turned to Professor Bright. “Others can do it to you know.” he told her. Professor Bright looked astonished. “Really? Who?” Harry quickly pointed at Hermione.

“Hermione can.” Hermione's face went scarlet and her eyes bulged, then she glared at Harry. Harry gulped.

Looking absolutely delighted, Professor Bright motioned for Hermione to stand. Very reluctantly, Hermione stood and walked to the front of the class and stood next to Harry.

“You are going to pay Harry.”

Harry smiled at her and laughed. “C'mon Hermione, your Patronus is perfect.” Hermione glared at him again.

“Yes, please continue.” Professor Bright said encouragingly. Hermione then raised her wand. “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” she yelled. The same silvery mist that had come out of Harry's wand was expelled out of Hermiones. Her Patronus, instead of turning into a stag, turned into a beautiful sea otter. It wisped around the room and circled Harry for a moment before fading. Hermione pocketed her wand and took a deep breath. “Very good!” cried Professor Bright. “Another 10 points to Gryffindor.” Harry and Hermione smiled at each other and took their seats.

Professor Bright then began to explain about the proper emotions and feelings that must be used to execute spells correctly. The class began to tell her of Professor Moody's lessons. The rest of the lesson was wonderful. Professor Bright had turned out to be the students' new favorite teacher. As class ended, Harry, Ron and Hermione collected the things and made to leave the classroom. They were just about to leave the class when Professor Bright called for Harry and Hermione to stay behind. They told Ron they would meet up with him in Herbology later.

They walked over to Professor Bright with curious expressions on their faces. Professor Bright noticed their expressions and calmed them with reassurance that it wasn't anything bad. “Don't look so worried.” she told them. “I just wanted to know how you learned to produce your Patronus'.” Harry and Hermione sighed in relief. Harry explained his situation with the dementors to her and how he just happened to teach Hermione. “Well, they were both very impressive. How `bout another 10 points for kicks eh?” Harry and Hermione smiled at her. “Thanks Professor.” they said together.

“Well you both deserve it. It's no wonder the two of you were chosen to be Head Boy and Head Girl. Congratulations on that by the way.”

“Thank you.” Harry and Hermione said once more.

“Well, you both had better be off to your next class then.” Professor Bright said to them.

Harry and Hermione were nearly to the door when Hermione's books fell free from her grasp and made a loud thumping noise when they hit the floor. Harry picked up Hermione's book and handed it back to her.

“Thanks.” she said to him.

“No problem.” Harry told her. They both turned to look back at Professor Bright. She was gone. They looked back at each other and Harry began to laugh.

“What?” Hermione asked him perplexed. Harry continued to laugh. “Hermione, you - ”, he began, then reached out with his hand and wiped her cheek with the pad of his thumb. “You have ink on your face.” he told her, laughing. He showed her the ink that had transferred from her face to this thumb.

“Oh my - ” Hermione gasped and suddenly began wiping her face with her own hand. “Why didn't you tell me before?” she exclaimed.

“It wasn't there before.” Harry said, still laughing.

“Stop laughing Harry.” said Hermione now cleaning her face with a handkerchief. “How did it get there anyway? I didn't even use ink in class today.” Harry watched her and smiled.

“I dunno Hermione. Look, it's gone. We'd better get going to Herbology.” Hermione nodded and followed Harry out of the classroom.

Meanwhile, behind them, still in the class, a grinning Professor Bright glided up to her office. “I love this job.” she said to herself.

Harry and Hermione had nearly arrived outside the doors to the greenhouse, when Liz came running behind them at top speed. “Am I late?” she panted.

“No.” Harry and Hermione said to her.

“We've got 2 minutes still.” Hermione said checking her watch. Liz let out a breath of relief. “That's great!” She looked exhausted. Her hair was unruly and her robes seemed as if they were flailed onto her body. She composed herself slightly and walked ahead of Harry and Hermione into the greenhouse. They looked at each other grinning at Liz's appearance and followed her into class.

Professor Sprout's lesson had been the same as usual. She'd shown them many unusual plants that anyone could have imagined. She had asked various questions about the plants, and to everyone's surprise, Liz had answered all of them correctly...before Hermione. Hermione hadn't seemed to notice as much as everyone else had. Liz had managed a great amount of points for Gryffindor in less than ten minutes.

After the lesson, Ron went to find Luna...they were skipping lunch, as usual and off to the Room of Requirement. Luna had been good for Ron. He seemed to have a lot more self-confidence and was more assertive at things, not wanting to disappoint Luna. She gave him encouragement and inspired him often and treated him like her prince. They loved each other very much it seemed. Sometimes, they could be seen, simply holding hands and talking out in the courtyard. To everyone who knew Ron and his personality, had been certain it was Luna who had greatly pushed him in the direction of maturity.

Harry had gone to the front of the classroom and was asking Professor Sprout a question about the homework assignment, leaving Hermione and Liz alone. Waiting for Harry to go to lunch, Hermione noticed a necklace around Liz's neck. It was a beautiful sapphire orb that hung form a black chain, the orb seemed to be covered with gold stars. “Wow, that's beautiful.” she told her.

Liz looked down at the necklace. “Thanks.” she said. Hermione reached out to examine the orb, then suddenly Liz grabbed her hand, stopping her half way. Hermione looked startled and pulled her arm back. “I'm sorry.” Liz said to Hermione. “It's just that, my parents gave it to me when I was a baby. It's a family necklace. Only family can touch it. If anyone else tries to, it er...it will...well, your hand will be in A LOT of pain.”

“Oh.” Hermione said, as Harry walked up to them. “Ready?” he asked the two of them. Hermione quickly agreed and followed him out the door. “You coming Liz?” Harry asked, peering over his shoulder. “No.” Liz said. “No, I think I'm going to go freshen up. I'll see you both later.” Harry and Hermione said goodbye and set off for lunch.

Harry and Hermione sat down at the table and did not speak for at least ten minutes. “What do you think of Liz?” Hermione asked Harry, who was drinking, stared back at her behind his goblet of pumpkin juice. He set it down and considered the question. “Well,” he began. “She's really nice. And she seems to be really smart too. I dunno, she's alright. Why?”

“Oh, nothing.” Hermione said absent mindedly and returned to her lunch.

“Is this about her answering all of those questions before you?” Harry ventured and eyed her closely.

“No. What?” Hermione said swiftly. Harry simply grinned at her and continued to eat his pie and whipped cream. He had abandoned his sandwich, for he was more in the mood for sweets. As he set down his fork after finishing, he noticed Hermione was staring at him. “What?” he asked.

Hermione was looking at him almost in a pitying way yet with a smile. “Harry, you've got er...” She reached up to point out the spot on her own face where Harry now had a large spot of whipped cream. Harry tried to find the spot and failed. Hermione laughed once more and reached out to him and brushed the cream off of the corner of his mouth with her thumb. As her thumb slowly neared the corners of his mouth, she brushed his lips slightly. She pulled away slowly as if nothing had happened, then felt an odd sensation in her stomach. Harry had felt the same sensation. They both stared at each other for a moment until Harry laughed. “Well, you got it then.”

“Yeah,” Hermione said looking at the cream on her fingers. “I got it.” They both laughed nervously in ways that didn't seem their own. Hermione wiped the cream onto a napkin. The rest of lunch was spent in an awkward silence.

A/N: I hope you liked it. More info on Liz is sure to come. And as for Harry and Hermione... I know it's going slow, but it will kick it up here soon enough.

Well, to be honest...if I were to read this chapter myself...as the reader and not the author, I really wouldn't know what exactly to be thinking...Hmm....Please Review! I love reading reviews!


-->

5. Surprises


A/N: I'm so sorry it took me so long to post this chapter! I've just started my spring term and already I have 3 papers due in 3 different classes! That's mad isn't it! Anyway, I only had a little to finish with this chapter...and it's my FAVORITE so far. I loved writing it So here it is, and I hope you like it!

Surprises

It had been nearly three weeks since the beginning of term, and so far the year had gone smoothly. Not one single worry had crossed anyone's mind. Malfoy, of course had been his usual self, taunting Harry, Ron and Hermione whenever he could. However, it was nearly impossible to be pleased with himself, since the trio would retort with a comment about his no-good father. It was late a night, almost 10:30 when Harry and Ron crept into Hermione's dorm. They quietly tip-toed into her bedroom careful not to wake her. Now standing on either side of Hermione's bed. They both let out snickers and hushed laughs, and then...

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY HERMIONE!” they yelled.

Hermione shot up out of bed nearly screaming and startled half to death until she saw Ron smiling at her and Harry holding up a big round cake covered in candles. At the sight of her best friends, an instant smile crept over her face.

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday dear Hermione!

Happy Birthday to you!”

Hermione was very red in the face. “What are you two doing?” she asked grinning

“Did you not get the song of `Happy Birthday' Hermione?” Ron asked sarcastically.

“I get that Ron! I just - I can't believe you both did this.” she said with a large smile on her face.

“Make a wish and blow out the candles Hermione.” Harry said holding the cake closer to her.

Hermione closed her eyes for a moment, then took a deep breath and extinguished all of the candles with one blow. “Great!” Ron said at once. “Happy Birthday Hermione. Now let's cut this cake...if you hadn't noticed, I skipped dessert earlier at dinner.” Hermione rolled her eyes at him and laughed.

“Yes, I did notice...I thought you were ill.” she said to him.

They all laughed as Harry sat the cake on the night stand next to Hermione's bed. Harry cut the cake and handed Hermione the first piece and then one to an anxious Ron. Harry took a piece for himself and sat down at the edge of Hermione's bed next to Ron. They ate their cake talking and laughing with no worries. “Where did you guys get the cake?”

“Dobby.” Ron said. “But don't worry Hermione, we paid him a whole Galleon for it.” he added hastily, noticing Hermione's slight glare. Her face softened and returned to smiling.

When they finished Harry got down on all fours and pulled something out from underneath Hermione's bed. Hermione looked down at him.

“Harry, what are you doing?” she asked him. Harry said nothing, but held up to packages wrapped in bright blue paper. “Presents.” he said.

Hermione looked astonished. “How long have those been down there?”

“Er...about a week.” Harry said feeling a surge of accomplishment. “Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't find them Hermione.” Ron laughed and got up to hand Hermione the small package that Harry was holding. “This one's from me.” he said.

Hermione took the gift from him, sat up against the headboard and unwrapped the gift quickly to reveal a polished, wooden box. She looked up at him in excitement, then back down at the box and opened it. Inside were 2 new, beautiful quills.

“Thought you'd like them” Ron said.

Hermione sat up and wrapped him in a hug. “I love them Ron. Thank you.” she said. Ron smiled and cut himself another piece of cake. Harry then handed Hermione his gift. It was large and heavy.

“Hmm...I wonder what it is.” Hermione said.

“Well open it.” Harry said hastily. Hermione smiled at him and tore open the paper to reveal a large book, Special Edition, The Revised Hogwarts, A History. Hermione was squealed in excitement. She looked up at Harry with a shocked expression on her face then threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. “Harry, I love it!” she said pulling away from him then looking around at Ron. “I love them both. I can't believe you guys did this. Why did you do this for me?”

“You're our best friend Hermione,” Ron said. “And, well it's our last year at Hogwarts, we thought it was time for somethign different. And, you have this huge room...I still can't believe how huge it is! We could have a party in here and no one would even know.”

“But we're not.” Hermione said firmly. “I like it this way. Just us.”

They spent the rest of the night talking and laughing until they surrendered to their exhaustion and fell into sleep. Hermione was in her bed, under the covers, while Harry slept at the foot of her bed. Ron was asleep on the couch, clearly in deep sleep by the sounds of his snores. It was around 3 o'clock in the morning when he let out a particularly large snore and woke Hermione.

She got out of bed and looked over at Ron. He was hanging over the edge of the sofa with his mouth hanging open. She shook her head at him, suppressing a giggle. Her eyes wandered to the sleeping from of Harry and she smiled at him affectionately. She stood over him for a moment, memorizing his features as he slept...as if she hadn't done it before. She had caught herself before, staring at him while he slept on the sofa in the Gryffindor common room. He always looked at peace. Finally devoid of nightmares after mastering Occlumency. Tonight, rather, this morning, she was staring at him closely. She had somehow managed to come within inches of his face as her eyes traveled to his lightning shaped scar. She had come to memorize his face so perfectly, she knew every inch of it. She felt herself reaching out to run a hand through his raven hair until Harry began to stir and rolled over. Hermione jumped back, breaking out of her trance. She took his stirring as a sign that she might be disturbing him and walked over to the night stand where her new book lay and picked it up. She took it and walked across the room and into her study and turned on the light, walked behind her desk, placed the book down gently and sat down in her chair to read it.

Hermione had been reading for nearly 10 minutes when she noticed Harry standing in the doorway.

“Hey.” he said.

“Hey.” Hermione smiled as Harry walked in and sank on the squashy armchair in front of Hermione's desk.

“Sorry we fell asleep in your room.” Harry said.

“Well I suppose it's only fair. I fell asleep in yours a few weeks ago...remember?” Hermione said.

“Yeah I guess.” Harry said. “So, I'm okay. Does Ron have to pay you?” Hermione laughed.

“No, it's fine really.” she said. “I don't mind. It sort of makes things feel normal...you know...like we're all back in Gryffindor Tower.” Harry smiled at her. “Yeah.” he said.

“So, what are you doing up so late anyway? Or early? What time is it?” Harry asked. Hermione pointed to the clock behind her. “It's 2 a.m.” she said.

“Oh. Early then?” Harry asked again.

“Reading.” Hermione said simply and glanced down at her new book. Harry peered over her desk to see.

“Reading the book I got you?” he asked, knowing full well that it was.

Hermione stood up and walked around her desk to sit on the arm of Harry's chair and looked down at him. “Of course Harry! I still can't believe you bought it. I mean, I know it's really expensive.” Harry looked up at her and was thrilled to see the excited look on her face. He loved that look...whenever it came to books, there was that face...that smile.

He looked away from her and fixed his eye upon a picture frame on her desk. It held a picture of the three of them. It must have been taken by Colin Creevey. He, Ron and Hermione were sitting under a tree laughing together. Harry stared attentively at it. Hermione was smiling in it...she looked so happy and beautiful. He had somehow fallen for her. He couldn't remember exactly when. All he knew, was that he cared more for her than anyone else in the world.

“I spare no expense when it comes to you.” he said in a soft voice, not wanting to sound too smitten by that face she had just made...that smile.

“What?” Hermione asked. She had vaguely picked up on his evasive tone.

“Well...er...you're my best friend Hermione.” he said quickly and looked up at her. She was beaming at him with a huge smile slapped across her face. Before Harry knew it, she had nearly jumped on him and was hugging him tighter than ever. “You're mine too Harry.” she whispered in his ear. The hug lasted longer than the average friendly hug permitted. Hermione was holding tight to Harry, smiling into the air. Harry had never been hugged by Hermione like this. This was wonderful. Suddenly...

THUD!

Harry and Hermione pulled away quickly and ran into the bedroom to see what had made the noise. They surveyed the room and their eyes landed on the twitching body of Ron who had fallen off of the couch. Of course, he hadn't woken up at all and was still snoring. Harry and Hermione let out the breaths they were holding and walked over to Ron, chuckling. As they approached him he suddenly sat up and looked deliriously around the room (not noticing Harry and Hermione at all), stood up and crashed back down on the sofa. He was again, sleeping and snoring. Harry and Hermione rolled their eyes and couldn't help but laugh.

Still laughing, Hermione walked over to the study, turned off the light and walked back into the bedroom. “We'd better get to bed.” she said to Harry.

“Tomorrow's Saturday Hermione.” Harry said.

“I know, and you have a ton of homework to do tomorrow.” she said accusingly. “And I need to go and ask Professor Bright a question about our Defense Against the Dark Arts homework.”

Harry looked at her feeling guilty about the first comment. He did have a lot of homework to do the next day. “Alright.” he said as Hermione put a blanket over Ron and climbed into her bed. “Why don't I walk Ron back to my room and - ”

Ron let out a loud snore. Hermione jumped and giggled. “Don't be silly Harry, you both can sleep here. It's fine.” she said patting a spot on her bed.

“Hermione - ”, Harry began. But Hermione interrupted him.

“Look, you're not leaving me in here all by myself with him snoring. If I'm suffering, you're suffering...and besides, it shouldn't even bother you...you've slept in the same room with him for the past 6 years.” she said opening up the covers.

Harry looked at her hesitantly. The idea was very inviting despite the awkwardness that would come. Harry would love to curl up with Hermione and just hold her.

“Hermione - ”, he started again. And again, Hermione interrupted him.

“Oh come on Harry!” she said. “We're both adults here.” She was smirking at him and tapping her fingers on the mattress.

“You're right.” he finally said smiling at her. He walked towards the bed and climbed in next to her. She pulled the covers over them and shifted herself until she was comfortable. “`Night Harry.” she said.

“`Night `Mione.” Harry said, pulling up the covers over him. His thoughts were racing. He was lying next to his best friend, they friend that he had fallen deeply in love with. He kept raking his mind for reasons why he hadn't told her. Then, that name crept up in his thoughts. Voldemort. He was the reason Harry couldn't tell Hermione how much he loved her. For the longest time, he had debated with himself on this. Eventually a conclusion was drawn. There was no future for Hermione if she was with Harry. If he died during the war...that would be it. Hermione would be left with nothing. But then...there was always the possibility that Harry would survive...that he wold KILL VOLDEMORT! Then, he and Hermione could be happy. They could get married, buy a big house and have beautiful children, a family. Then...they could grow old together. The thoughts Harry had of a family...a life with Hermione, carried him into a peaceful sleep.

On the other side of Harry, Hermione was having similar thoughts. She knew that she cared for him very much...she would die if anything happened to him. She loved him and no one knew it. How would she even begin to tell him that she had feelings for him She could only assume that after nearly 7 years of friendship, nothing was going to happen. Harry clearly was not interested. Although, these past weeks had been different. He'd been acting, well...different. Why was he so nervous about sharing a bed? It was definitely putting a toe over the `friends' line, but she and Harry had always somehow been something more than friends. Maybe he did like her. Maybe someday soon they would be together. Hermione imagined what it would be like to be his, to be held in his arms. That had been her wish after all. For Harry to hold her close to him; not like a hug, something different, more meaningful. Childish, extremely girlish it seemed, yes. But it's what she wanted the most of all, just to be in his arms. Hermione settled on that thought and fell asleep.

The next morning, Harry opened his eyes slowly, only to be blinded by a ray of sunlight that poked through the drapes and shone directly into his face. He winced at how bright it was and lied his head back down. This felt familiar. He had woken up the same way in his study a few weeks prior. He kept his eyes shut to avoid the sunlight when he noticed something heavy on his chest. And what was that on his neck? It was breathing, he soon realized. He looked down and saw Hermione. She had somehow managed to wrap her arms around Harry's chest and had nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck. Her head was right under his chin and he could smell the scent of apple in her hair. Her breathing was hypnotic to listen to and intoxicating against his neck. Oh, if only! He thought to himself before tapping Hermione on the shoulder. “Hermione, wake up.” he whispered into her hair. Hermione stirred for a moment and stretched her arm around Harry and held on to him tighter. She was practically lying on top of him. “Hermione, wake up.” Harry repeated and rubbed her arm lightly. She stirred again. “Mmmm” she moaned and opened her eyes blearily and raised her head to look at Harry. “Good morning Harry.” she whispered, closing her eyes again. Suddenly, Hermione's eyes shot wide open and she jumped backward off of Harry and fell onto the floor. “OUCH!” Harry heard her yell. He crawled over to the other side of the bed and peered over to see Hermione rubbing her body all over where she must have it the floor. “Hermione are you okay?” Harry asked her trying not to laugh. He was truly concerned, but the face she had made when she leapt up out of his arms was hilarious.

“Yeah.” she said weakly. She looked up at him and was immediately embarrassed. “Harry, I'm so sorry! I - I didn't mean to - ”.

“It's fine Hermione.” Harry said crawling out of bed and helping her to her feet. “It's okay really. You didn't drool on me or anything.” WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT? Harry yelled at himself in his head.

“Harry!” Hermione yelled and hit herself on the forehead with her hand. She let out a sigh of frustration and noticed something floating at the edge of the bed. “What is that?” she asked Harry, pointing to it.

“Dunno.” Harry said. They walked over to it and realized it was a piece of parchment. Hermione snatched it out of the air. “It's a note from Ron.” she said and began to read it.

Imagine waking up to what I saw this morning!

HA! I knew you two always fancied each other!

`Bout time the both of you realized it really!

I've gone to have breakfast with Luna...thought you two would want to be alone! HA HA!

See you later,

Ron

Harry and Hermione both looked at each other as if they had been hit by Bludgers.

“What?”

“What?”

“He's er...”

“Yeah...he's

“You and I - ”

“We're not - ”

“Right...” they both said at the end. They gave each other weak smiles and then quickly looked away from one another. “Er...I think I'm just going to go and take a shower,” Harry stuttlered “And er...go down for breakfast...kill Ron.”

Hermione gave a weak laugh. “Right. Er...I'm going to go take a shower too and er...I'll see you later.” She said nervously. “ You can let me know how killing Ron goes.” she added as Harry walked out of the room and out the portrait hole. Hermione took a deep breath and sighed. She couldn't possibly be angry...well angry at Ron maybe and embarrassed. But this is what she had wished for. It was the perfect birthday present, awkwardness and all. She had known what it was like to be held in Harry's arms. Mind you, only for a brief moment. But it had been wonderful all the same. In fact, the must have spent the rest of the night like that. And it wasn't like he had jumped out of bed the moment he realized she had been on top of him. He woke her gently. Hermione smiled as she walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

After Harry left Hermione's dorm, he couldn't keep his mind off of her. The way she breathed, the sound of her voice in the morning, the smell of her hair...her smile. Her features kept whirling around in his mind. “I love her.” he whispered to himself as he reached his dorm. That was it, plain and simple. He would kill Voldemort and have the life he wanted with Hermione...no matter what.

After a shower, Harry went down to the Great Hall to find Ron and murder him accidentally on purpose. Hermione had also finished up with her shower, got dressed and was off to the Great Hall to find Professor Bright about the homework she had given them last lesson. On her way down, Hermione met Lavender. “Hi Hermione.” she said.

“Oh, hi Lavender. Listen, do you know if Professor Bright is in the Great Hall?” Hermione asked.

“No, she's not. Liz just went to go talk to her a few minutes ago. I don't know why...she doesn't have to take Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

“Right.” Hermione said. “Thanks Lavender.” Lavender smiled and walked off. Hermione wheeled around and headed for the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

When she finally reached it, she found no one inside. There was no Professor Bright and no Liz. She walked in quietly and suddenly heard voices. They sounded familiar. Hermione walked slowly over to the office and pressed her ear against the door and heard someone talking. She heard a voice...it was Liz's voice. “So how is she?” Hermione heard Liz ask someone. “She's fine.” the familiar voice replied. “So have you gone to see Fred and George yet?”

Fred and George? Hermione thought. How does Liz know them...she's never met-

“No I haven't gone yet.” Liz said. “I was thinking about dropping in on them later...I haven't seen them in ages! And Ron...he - ”

Hermione couldn't take it anymore. What was going on? Where was Professor Bright? She burst in through the door and saw Liz standing in front of the fire talking to...Hermione let out a gasp. There was a man's head in the fire. She knew this man. It was Charlie Weasley.

A/N: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know what you thought about this chapter!!! I LOVE HEARING YOUR REVIEWS!!! :)


-->

6. Revelations


A/N: Alright, this chapter took a little while longer than the others did. Sorry. This one has a lot of dialogue in it. And, as you can see by the title, a lot of secrets will be uncovered. I hope you like it!!!

Revelations

“Charlie?” Hermione asked very perplexed. Almost at a snail's pace, Hermione walked into the room. Charlie Weasley's head turned slowly towards her and he spoke.

“Oh...er...hello Hermione.” he said in a startled voice and looked back at Liz who was staring blank faced at Hermione. Hermione's face was screwed up in confusion. “What's going on? Who are you?” she asked now glaring at Liz and then looked back at Charlie. “Who is she? What's - how do you know Charlie and Fred and George?!' she asked looking back at Liz. “You don't know anyone! How- ” Hermione was fuming.

“Hermione, please calm down and let me explain - ” Liz began pleadingly.

“Yes, you'd better! And, where's Professor Bright?” Hermione asked.

“Professor Bright? She's er...er...” Liz stuttered eyeing Charlie, silently pleading for help.

“She's er...” Charlie mirrored turning away from Liz and back to Hermione. “Professor Dumbledore.” he said suddenly. Hermione whipped around to see Professor Dumbledore standing in the doorway of the office. “Professor.” she said startled.

“Good morning Miss Granger.” he said nodding to Hermione. “Good morning Elizabeth, and oh, hello Charlie.”

“Good morning Professor.” Liz and Charlie replied. Hermione couldn't take this. Dumbledore didn't seem perplexed by this at all. “What is going?” Hermione asked again, looking from Liz to Charlie and back at Dumbledore.

“Professor - ”, Liz began before Dumbledore held up a hand to silence her. “Elizabeth,” he said softly. “Do not worry. I think now is as good a time as any to reveal the truth to Miss Granger.”

“You do?” Liz asked incredulously.

“What truth?” asked Hermione.

“Yes I do.” Dumbledore said to Liz, ignoring Hermione. Charlie was starting to look uneasy and Hermione heard a noise coming from the other side of the fire. “Er...I have to go now...Liz, you know...” he said to her with secretive eyes, then he looked back up a Dumbledore. “Professor...I need to - ”

“I understand Charlie.” Dumbledore simply said. Charlie smiled gratefully and looked back up at Liz. Hermione saw Charlie mouth words to her. `I love you' is what he said. If it were possible, Hermione was now even more confused. Then with a tiny `pop', Charlie's head disappeared. Hermione glared at Liz, then looked back over at Dumbledore, waiting for answer.

“Now, will someone please tell me what's going on?” Hermione asked in a tone she had only used with Ron when she was annoyed. She noticed this and quickly looked away from Dumbledore, suddenly aware of who she was speaking to.

“Yes Miss Granger,” Dumbledore said. “You will be given answers. But not here. I do not wish us to be overheard.” Hermione looked suspiciously at him. Overhear what? Hermione thought. This must be a big secret.

“ If you will Miss Granger...Elizabeth. Please follow me to my office.” Dumbledore said. Hermione looked over at Liz, she looked extremely perturbed by the whole situation. Liz walked with Dumbledore, and Hermione followed them out of the office and through the classroom and to Dumbledore's office. They reached the statue that guarded the entrance to Dumbledore's office. Hermione had never been in there before. She could just picture the number of times Harry had told her he'd gone to see Dumbledore. She wondered what he was doing at this moment. She let her mind wander to the events that had only happened not but an hour ago. She was in bed with Harry, lying in his arms. Just as the last thought had struck her mind. Liz began to laugh to herself. Hermione looked at her as if she were about to jinx her. Why was she laughing? Then she heard Professor Dumbledore mutter the password: “Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.” Hermione let on a slight smile, then catching Liz's eye returned to her frown.

The three of them rode the revolving staircase up to Professor Dumbledore's office in silence. They finally reached the top and stepped out into the office. It was enormous. Hermione was nearly ready to start asking questions about it until she remembered why she was there. Dumbledore stood in the middle of the office, looking out the window, then at Hermione. “Miss Granger,” he began very seriously. “What Elizabeth is about to tell you will be difficult to believe. But know that it is ALL truth. Also, whatever Elizabeth tells you, must not leave this room. Anything and everything she says must be kept secret.” Hermione looked extremely anxious. What the hell was going on? What had Hermione walked in on?

“I am going to leave the two of you in here. I will return in one hours time.” Dumbledore said. “Do you feel that is enough time?” he asked Liz.

“An hour? Well,” she said letting out a breath. “Yes that should be enough. You're sure Professor?”

“Yes.” Dumbledore said firmly.

“Alright.” Liz replied as Dumbledore turned and left the office, back down the revolving staircase back down. Hermione watched him until he disappeared, then turned around to see Liz sitting in Dumbledore's chair. “Please, have a seat.” she said and pointed to one of the seats in front of Professor Dumbledore's desk. Hermione hesitated for a moment then sat down. “So what's going on?” she asked Liz hurriedly. “Who are you? How do you know the Weasley's? How - ”.

“Hermione, please just wait a moment and listen to me.” Liz said with a patient air.

“But - ”

Just then, Hermione was cut off. Liz raised her wand out of nowhere and shouted “SILENCIO!” Hermione fell silent and glared at Liz.

“Now listen to me,” Liz said. “ I am going to explain everything to you. It will be very confusing for you in the beginning...but, you're a smart girl, you might figure it out before I finish. I'm going to lift the Silencing Charm now, but you must stay quiet. Please, all I ask is that you wait to ask me questions. Alright?” Hermione nodded in agreement. With a wave of her wand, Liz lifted the Silencing Charm.

“Alright,” Liz said. “I'm going to start from the beginning.” Liz took a deep breath and looked seriously at Hermione. “Seventeen years ago, I was orphaned. My parents had been killed by Lord Voldemort. I was five. He just walked right into our house. My father was holding me in his arms, shielding me from harm. My mother, she ran with my little brother upstairs...I remember the horror in her face.” Liz paused in between each sentence, seeming to try an compose herself. “I remember, I couldn't help but feel that it was the last time I was ever going to see her. Voldemort raised his wand at my father and I. All I saw was a flash of bright green light, and in an instant, Voldemort had killed my father with the Avada Curse. I wasn't hit by it. I was thrown from my father's arms onto the floor. His lifeless body hit the floor just after I had. I remember lying there, staring at my fathers open, soulless eyes.” Liz took a deep breath as if to prevent herself from crying. Hermione's eyes were wide with horror as Liz recalled the night of her parents' deaths. “ Just before I passed out,” Liz continued “I heard my mother screaming, and I saw the same bright flash of green light. I knew she was dead too.”

“When I finally woke up, Voldemort had come and gone. My father, he - he was just lying next to me, motionless. I couldn't take it. I'd wished I had died as well.” Liz paused and looked intently at Hermione. As Liz spoke, her words were filled with such sadness. “Can you imagine? Can you imagine wanting to die at the age of 5, nearly six?” Hermione shook her head slowly. She had tears streaming down her face. “I got up, and I ran.” Liz said. “I ran out of that house as fast as I could and just kept going. I nearly got two blocks away when I thought felt something grab me from behind and I ran even faster. I looked over my shoulder and saw nothing. When I turned back in front of me, I tripped over...something, I dunno and hit my head on the ground and knocked myself unconscious.” Liz let out a breath. “I woke up in a muggle hospital one week later. I thought I had dreamt the whole thing, that it was just a horrible nightmare. As I opened my eyes, I saw two figures hovering over me. One, was Professor Dumbledore and the other, Professor McGonagall. They told me that they knew my parents; and at the mention of them it all came back to me. It was real.” Liz's face was filled with such emotion. Hermione couldn't imagine how difficult it must be for her to relive it all.

“Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall then brought me here.” Liz continued. “Madame Pompfrey took care of me for awhile...tending to my injuries. Mended them in a heartbeat, I might add.” Liz stopped and stared at Hermione.

“Does the beginning of this story sound...familiar to you?” she asked. Hermione's face was white with shock and her eyes were filled with tears.

“Y-you, you mean...y-you're...you're...Harry's - ”. Hermione couldn't say it. It was simply to unbelievable to be true.

“Sister.” Liz finished quietly.

“Sister.” Hermione repeated incredulously.

“Yes.” Liz said quietly. Hermione's expression was too mixed to decipher a particular emotion. She was now breathing shallow breaths. “So, where have you been all this time?” Hermione managed. “Why didn't you ever...Harry...he...he's been living with his Aunt and Uncle and cousin...while...you've - ”

“Ah,” Liz said. “Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. Listen, let me finish this story.” Hermione looked extremely angry, but fell back into her seat and waited for an explanation as to why Harry had to suffer by himself all these years.

“After I was fully healed, I was sent to live with Minerva McGonagall for my safety. You know why Harry was safe with Petunia?”

“Yes.” Hermione said. “He told us Dumbledore had said it was with his mother's blood where he was safest.”

“That's right.” Liz replied. “And while our mother gave her life to save Harry's, our father did the same for me. Only, he had no living relatives. I couldn't live with the Dursley's. I wasn't safe there. And they wouldn't have taken me anyway...both me and my brother...who were destined to be magical...HA! No way! They hated just having Harry there. It wouldn't matter, I'd have run away from there anyway.”

“SO HARRY HAD TO SUFFER?” Hermione roared.

“Hermione calm down.” Liz said patiently. “You know why he had to stay with the Dursley's. It was for his protection.”

“I know, it's just that...he hated it there!”

“I know. And I hated him being there. But there was nothing I could do.” There was a moment in which Liz detected a flicker of understanding in Hermione's expression. “Anyway,” she continued. “I lived with Minerva while school was out. When the terms began, I stayed in my own dormitory, away from the students. I was only allowed to attend Quidditch matches and go to Hogsmeade with Minerva. When the students were in bed, I have to say, I was a bit reckless. I would sneak out of my dormitory and wander around the castle, making it my own little playground. When I was finally old enough to be a student, I was ecstatic. I just couldn't wait to learn new things. I had already roamed the library, which I had memorized by the age of eight. I'd also read a lot of the books Minerva had on Transfiguration. It was during my second year when I discovered I was a Metamorphmagus. I had a lot of fun when I made that discovery.” Liz added happily.

“Wait a minute.” said Hermione bewildered. “You can change your appearance at will?”

“Yes.” Liz said. Hermione seemed to be pondering something for a moment, scrunching up her face in concentration. Then she looked up a Liz.

“You're...Professor Bright?”

“Yes.” Liz said again.

“So...what? Why? And...and Snape's class! Does he know? I mean...”

“Hermione, calm down. Let me finish, alright? I'll go through the rest of my history and then I will tell you what I'm doing here.” said Liz. Hermione nodded in agreement once more and Liz went on to finish her story.

“So, in my second year I discovered that little power...my grandfather was said to be a Metamorphmagus. Anyway, during my second year, I was trying out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, when my broom went crazy. It just wouldn't fly properly. It seemed like I had no control over it. After nearly five minutes of trying to control it, I was thrown from nearly eighty feet high. I was free falling for what seemed like forever. And then...he saved me.”

“Who?” Hermione asked.

“Charlie. Charlie Weasley. He had been flying around chasing that snitch and...he flew right at me and caught me mid - air. We were best friends from then on. When December rolled around, Charlie turned and then Christmas followed. Charlie invited me to come and visit him over the holidays. Of course I said `yes', but I had to ask Minerva first. She knew the Weasley's and agreed. Not right off, mind you, but I got to go.” Liz was grinning now thinking about her past.

“So, I arrived at the Burrow and met Arthur and Molly, Percy - well I had already met him at Hogwarts, but him at Christmas - that was a treat.” she said sarcastically. “He was always trying to impress people. Then I met Fred and George. I loved them! They were the most unique set of people I had ever met. And of course...little Ron and little Ginny.” Liz was now chuckling to herself. Hermione couldn't help but smile.

“Ron must have been around seven or eight.” Liz said. “And Ginny was six. I wasn't really worried about Ginny recognizing me. In fact she's seems rather distant when I'm around. I don't know what that's about. Anyway, when Ron had mentioned that I looked familiar, I was really nervous. And, Harry...” Liz paused and looked at her hands for a moment.

It was the first time Hermione had heard Liz say Harry's name, knowing now who she was. It was an odd feeling Hermione had. She was sitting here, talking to Harry's sister. The sister Harry didn't even know he had.

“...I thought Harry had recognized me somehow.” Liz said. “But I knew that was impossible...Anyway,” she said briskly. “Back to the Weasleys. I spent Christmas with them and had a wonderful time. Charlie and I remained best friends through the years. I continued to study at Hogwarts through my fifth year. Charlie was graduating. He was nearly finished with Hogwarts. Suddenly, I began to get these strange feelings everywhere I went. Anywhere in the castle and I would start to clench up and nearly stop breathing. I felt cold all of the time and I could feel darkness all around me.” Liz stopped to stare at the Dumbledore's desk that was in front of her. “I told Dumbledore about it. He had the castle searched thoroughly, but nothing was found. I couldn't finish my remaining two years without feeling ill. I was then confined to my private dormitory, where I would receive private lessons from other teachers and of course, Minerva and Professor Dumbledore taught me A LOT of magic. I was also privately tutored by witches and wizards from Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Dumbledore actually paid a lot of money for those lessons.” Liz said thoughtfully.

“He's done so much for me over the years.” She was now gazing out the window of the office. She could see the Black Lake glistening under the sun. “Dumbledore informed me later when Harry started his first year that he had been having similar, but more mild feelings. Though neither of us knew at the time that it was Professor Quirrells doing. It became apparent after Harry's fight with Quirrell, that the dark feelings I was having during my early years at Hogwarts were because of Professor Quirrell. Because Voldemort had leeched onto the back of his head, I felt a dark presence all around me. I suppose it was strong because I'd grown up hating him and could sort of sense him.”

“Charlie was always curious as to why it happened never had any idea who I actually was. All he knew was that I was orphaned and I lived with Minerva. I've always told people that my name is Elizabeth Halsey. Now, I can finally say aloud to you, that my name is...Elizabeth Lily Potter. Our parents seemed to be fond of their first names, seeing as how they ended up being Harry and mine's second names.” she said chuckling. “I told Charlie who I was just before he left Hogwarts. Naturally, he thought I was crazy until I shared two things with him.” Liz began to fumble with her robes and pulled out something from her pocket. Then she tugged at the collar of her shirt and removed the necklace she was wearing. It was the small orb. She first held up a folded piece of paper she had pulled out of her pocket. “First, I showed him this.” she said handing Hermione the paper. Hermione took it and opened it to see that it was a photograph. She recognized this picture. It was almost identical to the one that Hagrid had given him. Only in this one, there was a little girl sitting on the lap of Harry's mother. Hermione looked up in shock at Liz.

“This - this is you? You and...and Harry and...your parents?” Hermione asked.

“Yes, that's the last photograph we took before...” said Liz, trailing off in tears.

“But, this is the same photograph that Harry has. Only, you're not in that one.” Hermione said looking back down at the photograph.

“Well I wouldn't be would I? Surely you don't think Dumbledore or Hagrid would give Harry something that had anything to do with me. They are the same picture. There is simply an unbreakable charm on his photograph...I'm not visible.”

“You and Harry...now that I know...the two of you look so much alike. Your green eyes, and your hair.” Hermione said handing the photo back to Liz.

“Yes we do.” Liz said taking the picture back from Hermione. “Well, when you see my real hair, you'll know I'm my mother's daughter.” Liz shook her head and a new color swept over her hair. “More red than raven.” Liz said pointing to her hair. Hermione laughed. “You do look like her. Like...like your mum. She was really beautiful.” Hermione said. She felt rather odd discussing Harry's parents with someone else other than him. But then again, Lily and James Potter were Liz's parents too.

Liz smiled at her. “Thanks. She was beautiful.” The two women sat staring at each other for a moment until Hermione broke the uncomfortable silence.

“So,” she said. “What's the other thing that you showed Charlie to make him believe you?”

Liz smiled. “This.” she said holding up the necklace with the small orb. “Like I told you, this is a family necklace. What I didn't tell you was that this small orb contains my entire life. Every moment, every second since the day I was born is recorded into this orb. Any time of my life can be seen by simply touching it. It sort of works like a Pensieve.” she told Hermione.

Hermione's eyes widened as she gazed at the glassy orb dangling from a silver chain. “So, how did you show him anything? Charlie?” she asked. “I thought you said if anyone besides a family member touched it, that persons hand would...well `be in a lot of pain'.”

“That's true, I did say that. However, I did not tell you that you can touch it, when you have my permission. Would you like to see what I showed Charlie?”

“You'd show me?” Hermione asked. Liz nodded and wrapped the necklace around her wrist and held it out to Hermione. “Touch the orb.”

Hermione held out her hand and touched the glassy orb with her fingers. She was instantly whisped into what seemed to be a living room. Liz was standing right next to her looking at something on the sofa. Hermione turned to see what she was staring at. Looking at the sofa, she soon saw the figure of a little girl. The little girl was holding something. It was...a baby. A baby boy. To the right of the sofa stood James and Lily Potter smiling at the two children. Hermione turned to Liz in tears. “That's you and Harry?”

Liz nodded, still staring at her past self and past Harry. She was smiling and crying at the same time. Then she looked over at her parents and began to take shallow breaths. Hermione put a hand on her shoulder. “I'm so sorry. For Harry and you.” Liz peeled her eyes away from her parents and turned to Hermione with a smile. “Thanks.” she said holding out the orb for Hermione to touch. Hermione placed a finger on it and within seconds she was standing back in Dumbledore's office.

“So,” Liz said sitting down in one of the chairs in front of his desk. “I'm sure you have questions. You can ask them now.” Hermione sat down in the chair opposite her. “Yes, I do.” she said.

“Go ahead.” Liz said. Hermione took a deep breath and asked her first question...

A/N: Well, there you have it. There are the Revelations. Hermione will have all of her questions answered in the next chapter...which should be up soon. I'm writing it right now! I hope you enjoyed reading this one. I know it was rather long. PLEASE REVIEW and let me know what you think!!!


-->

7. Hermione's Questions


A/N: Here's the new chapter! I had to write this one carefully...that's why it took so long. There is so much revealed I had to make sure I didn't leave anything out! And well, I also had to be careful not to put too much in! Lol!

I hope you like this one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione's Questions

“First of all, how does that necklace work anyway?” Hermione asked crossing her arms and looking intently at Liz.

“Inside resides a very rare gem.” Liz said admiring the orb. “A magical stone that captures life as it is lived. I don't know what it's called, but every Potter generation has had one of these gems. There's some sort of secret stash somewhere. I'm quite sure it's the largest collection of this type of gem in the world.” Liz explained. “My father's was in an old ring, he later put it in his wedding band and gave my mother a wedding ring with the same gem. I got this necklace, and Harry has a ring as well.” Liz rummaged through her pockets once more and held up a handsome ring adorned with a fiery red stone.

“I've been holding on to it since my parents died. I have their wedding rings as well...locked away of course. I wanted Harry to finally have this when I tell him the truth. This ring contains the one year he got to spend with our parents.” The ring was very tiny. After all, it had been made for Harry when he was an infant. “The size will need to be readjusted of course.” Liz said pocketing the ring and then pulling the necklace up to her face and fastening it safely around her neck.

Hermione suddenly thought of something and looked at Liz with an anxious expression.. “How are you going to tell Harry? When, even?” Hermione asked.

“I don't know exactly.” Liz said drearily. “I figured I'd cross that bridge when I get to it. It's not as if I can just waltz up to him and say `Hiya Harry...I'm the sister you never knew about. Sorry I never contacted you and made you live in that hell hole alone, and let you think that you didn't have any real family.' ” Liz ended the rushed sentence with a heavy sigh of despair. “Oh, I wish it were that simple.”

“Why did you never contact him? Why wasn't he ever told about you?” Hermione asked.

She was extremely frustrated with this whole situation that Harry had been placed in.

“Again, it was for safety reasons. For his and mine. Two years ago, Voldemort was able to reach into Harry's mind and pick out whatever he wanted. And as you know, he picked Sirius. And while it wasn't Harry's fault AT ALL that Sirius died...if Harry knew about me, his only living relative, undoubtedly Voldemort would have picked me as the target.” Liz paused and looked away from Hermione. She appeared to be in tears again. “Sometimes I wish it was me. Then Sirius would still be here.”

“But then you wouldn't be here.” Hermione said consolingly. “Harry misses Sirius so, so much...we all do. But, knowing this, I mean knowing who you are...you're Harry's blood. You're his sister.” A small smile crept over Liz's face as she looked out the window. “Yeah...sister.” Liz said. Suddenly, it began to really sink in for Hermione. This was Harry's sister! This was the only living relative Harry had. Well, besides the Dursley's. But they didn't really count. “So...you knew Sirius?” Hermione asked.

“Of course I knew him. I remember, he was over at our house all of the time. Always joking with my parents, they were always laughing. He was more than just our godfather. He was more like a lovable uncle who hung around all of the time.” Liz smiled affectionately as she remembered Sirius. “But er...it ended right before Harry was born. After we'd gone into hiding.” Liz's smile faded.

“Okay,” Hermione said. “Next question...If that necklace of yours records your life, why couldn't you just use that to clear Sirius' name and get him out of Azkaban?”

“You know of the Prophecy don't you? You know why we had to go into hiding?”

“Yes. Harry told us last year.” Hermione said.

“Well, then you must know who our Secret Keeper was, right?”

“Pettigrew. We found that out in our third year.”

“Right.” Liz said shifting in her seat. “First of all, when I was brought here, I never heard nor saw any of the news about my parents' deaths. I had no idea that Sirius was being accused of killing Pettigrew and telling Voldemort where we were hiding. And no one knew about the necklace.” she said fervently. “These gems were kept secret within the Potter family. Nobody knew about them. Not even Dumbledore.” Liz's voice suddenly became quiet.

“It wasn't until I was older when I heard that Sirius had been blamed for everything. I couldn't do anything about it, I had no solid proof. I told Minerva and Dumbledore that Sirius would never have done anything to harm us. Even as a child I knew he'd never really liked Pettigrew, but I knew he would never harm him either. It seemed like they only half - believed me. I never looked in the orb of my necklace. I knew that I had nothing to help Sirius.” Hermione was looking at her attentively, not wanting to miss a single detail.

“When Sirius finally fled from Azkaban, I wanted to contact him somehow. He had no idea that I was still alive. Actually,” Liz said thoughtfully, “nobody knew I was alive...I'd been presumed dead...that's why my name was `changed' to Liz Halsey. Anyway,” she said briskly, “so I owled Dumbledore and told him what I wanted to do. He told me not to go looking for him just yet and to wait a bit longer. I had the feeling that Dumbledore had believed me all along.” Hermione was now sitting cross-armed facing Liz. She couldn't believe how much information she was getting in one sitting. This was more than she could have obtained from abook.

“So, I waited.” Liz said. “I waited...and before I knew it, Sirius was `proven' innocent...only to the three of you though. Dumbledore trusted him and Sirius had already met Harry. Dumbledore thought that it would be wise for me to wait longer. I knew he was right. I mean, Sirius never would have understood why Harry was never told about me or why I never contacted him. Especially after he'd just made contact with him.” Liz stood up and began to pace back and forth. “I waited another year before I finally met him. It was during the Triwizard Tournament, right before the First Task. Dumbledore had made the arrangements and came with me. He told me that Sirius had no idea who he was meeting, and I...well I was a nervous wreck!”

Hermione let out a little chuckle. “I'm sure you were.” she said.

“Yes I was.” said Liz as she stopped pacing and sat back down. “Dumbledore had arranged for us all to meet at a secret location. I still don't know where it was we went.” Liz said laughing. “We'd taken a Portkey and ended up in a dark, old house. When Sirius arrived, he didn't see me right away. I was sitting in one of the dark corners while he talked to Dumbledore. He looked so aged...so sad.”

FLASHBACK:

Sirius and Professor Dumbledore were talking in the small room filled with light, while Liz sat in a hidden corner in the darkness.

“Sir, what am I doing here? Who am I supposed to meet?” Sirius asked. Liz looked at the man she used to know from the far corner. He looked tired and torn. His face was not the one that Liz had remembered - handsome and plastered with a smile. He definitely did not look that of a man in his mid-thirties. Rather, he looked far beyond his years. Azkaban was the sort of place that could turn the cheeriest of people into th bleakest, and most saddened.

“Ah, Sirius. You will be meeting with her shortly.” Dumbledore said.

“She?” Sirius aked. “She who? I don't know any other she that I would have known well...other than Lily of course and little - .” Just before he could say Liz's name, she stood up and emerged from the darkness. Stepping into the light, she startled Sirius. “WHO ARE YOU?” he exclaimed. Liz was now in tears.

“Sirius, please sit down.” Dumbledore said conjuring up three large armchairs, then sitting himself comfortably in one. Sirius sat, never taking his eyes off of Liz. Liz sat down too, still gazing at Sirius' hollow eyes. “Who is this?” Sirius asked Dumbledore. “She looks a lot like...never mind”

“Sirius, this is someone I know you will remember. Dumbledore said quietly This young woman has been waiting to see you again for a very long time.”

Liz was looking back and forth between Dumbledore and Sirius. Then her gaze landed back on Sirius. “You don't remember me...Uncle Sirruss?” she asked. Liz had never pronounced his name properly at the age of 5.

Instantly, Sirius' eyes filled with life again and became glossed with tears. “Liz?” he asked slowly and unsurely creeping closer to her. “James and Lily's little Liz?” he said looking at Dumbledore and back at Liz. Liz nodded and let loose her tears when Sirius pulled her from her chair and enveloped her in a hug. He clung to her and cried with joy, then finally pulled away to examine her “I can't believe you're here! You're alive! I thought you were dead...but you're here!”Sirius sobbed. “Look at you! You're all grown up.” he said to her. “Y-you look so much like your mother.” Liz smiled and hugged him once more. “I knew it wasn't you! I knew you'd never hurt us.”

Dumbledore sat in his chair smiling.

The rest of that night was spent talking. Mainly about both Sirius' and Liz's past. Afterward, the topic of Harry carried them all the way into the early morning.

END FLASHBACK

“He had to, of course keep our meeting secret from Harry.” Liz said. “Dumbledore explained everything to him, the safety precautions. So, after that he and I kept in touch. We didn't meet again though, until late June. After what had happened to Harry...we both felt so helpless.”

Hermione was still listening closely. Her arms were now uncrossed and she was on the edge of her seat.

“Sirius had owled me and said that he'd found a perfect location for th Order of the Phoenix to meet safely. Number 12 Grimuald Place.” said Liz.

“Wait a minute.” Hermione said putting a hand in the air. “So, you're in the Order too? How have we never seen you before?”

“I've been sneaking around all my life Hermione. I'm very stealthy.” Liz said to Hermione.

“Wait!” said Hermione, who was suddenly struck with an idea. “Are you - are you...Tonks?”

Liz laughed. “No.” she said. “I knew you were going to ask me that. No, I am not Tonks. She is a good friend of mine though. She was in Charlie's year. She and I really got along because...well you know we're both Metamorphamagai. On occasion we would hang out after she'd knock over a line of suits of armor or somehow rearrange all of the furniture in the Gryffindor common room by turning it upside down.”

Hermione was laughing. “Yes, that sounds like Tonks.” she said.

“Yeah...” said Liz.

“So, then, where have you been hiding all of this time?” Hermione asked.

“Not hiding.” Liz said shaking a finger at Hermione. “Living actually.”

“Okay, where were you living?” Hermione said impatiently.

Liz looked at Hermione and gave her a one word answer: “Romania.”

Hermione stared at her for a moment, pondering her response...Romania? Then, in an instant, it clicked. “Charlie!” Hermione shouted. “You and Charlie are...”

“Married.” Liz said holding up her left hand to show Hermione a glistening diamond ring.

“Oh, I can't believe...wait...that means...Harry's related to the Weasley's!” Hermione squealed. “He and Ron are...like brother's - in - law. Who all knows about the two of you?” Hermione was nearly bouncing in her seat.

“Well, most of the Order know...Molly and Arthur, Bill, Dumbledore, Minerva...Hagrid, Moody, Lupin, and I was even so fortunate as to have Sirius walk me down the aisle.” Liz said. “A very short aisle, mind you.” she added quickly.

“We had to be married in secret, you know. Ron, Ginny and even Percy couldn't find out...not yet anyway. Oh, and of course Fred and George knew...they managed to find out, you know how sneaky they are. Anyway, they've both done a VERY good job keeping the secret. You know, with them being Fred and George and all.” Hermione laughed. She was trying to picture Charlie and Liz walking down an aisle. And Fred and George keeping it quiet. Even Hagrid...he'd let things slip all of the time.

“Really?” Hermione asked incredulously. “Hagrid, Fred and George kept a secret?”

“Yeah, they did.” Liz said chuckling. Hermione's expression was that of hysterical shock.

“So, how long have you two been married?”

“Nearly two years now...he's my best friend.” Liz told Hermione with a smile.

Hermione looked down as if something interesting was sitting in her lap and smiled inwardly.

“So, you've been happy then? Marrying your best friend?”

“Yes. Very happy. He knows me so well...too well at times.” Liz said affectionately. “Sometimes it's almost impossible for me to surprise him with anything. He knows me like a book.” Hermione smiled, amused at the analogy. Hermione knew Harry like a book. She'd learned how to read his expressions and how to read between the lines of whatever he said. Hermione remembered it used to be so difficult to break the barrier and understand him. After Sirius died, he seemed to be more open. She and Harry had gotten closer after that. Hermione only wished that they could be closer. Hmm...maybe like this morning. That was nice. Hermione thought. Suddenly she felt that tingly feeling in her stomach that she had become accustomed to whenever she thought about Harry. Hermione sat, still staring blankly at her lap when Liz broke her from her reverie with fits of giggles.

“What?” Hermione asked bewildered.

“Nothing.” Liz said still giggling.

“No,” said Hermione. “What are you laughing about? You know come to think of it, you do that a lot. What's going on?”

Liz stopped her giggling long enough to give Hermione an odd look and then smiled.

“What?” Hermione asked again.

“You were thinking of Harry.”

“What? I wasn't thinking of - ”

“Yes you were. You got that squirmy feeling again.”

“No, I...how do you know what I was feeling?”

Liz gave her another long stare and another smile. “I suppose it's time to let you in on another one of my little secrets.”

“What other secret?” Hermione asked. How many more secrets would be? Hermione didn't know if she could take any more.

“Well, I'm not just a Metamorphamagus. I'm also, erm...an Empath.” Liz confessed.

“You mean...you can feel other people's emotions?” Hermione asked anxiously.

“Mmm hmm.”

Hermione was now in yet another state of shock. “So, you can feel...everything everyone else feels?” Hermione asked nervously.

“Right.” said Liz. Hermione stood up from her seat and walked over to the window and looked out towards the lake.

“Hermione,” Liz said from behind her. “How do you feel about Harry?”

Hermione did not answer, but merely continued to gaze out the window.

“Okay, I already know how you feel.” said Liz in a comforting voice. “Not only figuratively speaking, but literally as well. Why don't you just tell him?”

“Just tell him?!” Hermione shouted, turning from the window to look at Liz. Her eyes were fiery and clearly tear filled. “JUST TELL HIM?” she repeated. “How can I just tell him? I mean, we've been friends for so long...and - and...he would never feel the same way anyway.”

“You don't know that.” Liz said quietly.

“And you do?” spat Hermione. “You can tell me what Harry feels? I mean...never mind.” Liz turned back to the window. She did not want Liz...

“Intruding am I?” Liz asked. “Hermione, I can't read your mind, just your emotions. I know you're angry, but you're also got a large amount of hidden emotions running through you. Most of them deal with Harry. Don't they?”

“So what if they do?” Hermione said to the glass of the window.

“Tell him Hermione.” Liz said putting a hand on Hermione's shoulder.

Hermione felt a shiver down her spine and everything went dark. Her eyes were open, but she couldn't see a thing. Then she saw...

“Hermione. Hermione. HERMIONE!” Liz was shouting at her and shaking her

“Wha - what happened?” asked Hermione looking around.

“You went into some sort of daydream or something. I've been trying to get you out of it for nearly a minute.”

Hermione turned met Liz's eyes. “That was NOT a daydream.” she said through clenched teeth. “You know what that was. Don't you? How? Was that - ?”

“More than likely, the future yes.” Liz said to her sighing heavily.

“How did I see the future? I'm no good at Divination and things like that. I'm not a Seer!” Hermione exclaimed

“But I am.” said Liz. “When I touched you, you must have received a vision that I was meant to see. It's happened before.” Liz said casually. “Charlie get's them all of the time.”

WHAT?!” Hermione shouted. “Okay, how many more secrets do you have? How much more is there? What else are you? Why are you here? Why am I being told all of this?!!” Hermione was glaring at Liz and breathing deep and quick.

“Alright, alright.” Liz said, trying to calm down Hermione. “First...that's the last of the surprise magical gifts. And as to why I am here...I had a Saw something. I had a Vision.” Hermione's breathing began to steady as she looked glared at Liz.

“Of what?” Hermione asked. “What did you see?”

“The war. It's coming...soon. Voldemort is coming...soon.”

A/N: Well, you've learned a lot about Liz...next...Hermione and Harry...hmm...what will happen?

I hope you all liked this chapter...Reviews would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I love to read the reviews! They keep me goin'! ;)

Anyway, there are more chapters coming. Now that I've gotten all of the revelations and answers out, the next chapter should be easier to write! Thanks for reading!


-->

8. Visions


Visions

“We know that already!” Hermione snapped impatiently. “We already know that the war is near! We already know that Voldemort is ready to begin the fight!”

“Okay, Hermione calm down. That was just the beginning.” Liz said gesturing a `quiet down' with her hands to Hermione.

“Oh, sorry.” Hermione said slightly embarrassed.

“That's alright.” Liz said with a weak smile. “Now before I start, can you tell me what it is that you Saw?”

Hermione blushed. “Harry.” she said. “Harry was erm...he was just opening up two of his Christmas gifts from me.” That is such a stupid lie. She won't believe that. Hermione thought.

Hermione's expression was not believable at all. Liz looked suspiciously at her, but did not press the matter.

“Oh, alright then.” Liz said to Hermione's surprise.

“So, what about the war? What did you See?” Hermione asked, quickly switching the topic. Liz sat down and looked at Hermione with a sad, grievous expression.

“What is it?” Hermione asked seeing her face.

“The end.” Liz said, barely above a whisper. “I Saw the end of it all Hermione; where Harry and Voldemort are face to face. The point where either's life hangs in the balance.”

“And?” asked Hermione anxiously. “What happens?”

Liz's expression did not waver. She simply stared at Hermione with the same, sad look on her face. “That's just it.” she said quietly. “I See Harry and Voldemort. Then...a bright light, a hot, white, blinding light...and then the Vision ends.”

“So, you're saying you have no idea who wins the war?” Hermione screeched. “You are actually saying that you don't know if Harry will live?”

“Yes.” Liz said softly. “Unfortunately, that is exactly what I am saying. I don't know what is going to happen. All of this power, and it's useless..” Hermione felt extremely irritated. She stood up from her chair in frustrated silence, and began pacing up and down Dumbledore's office.

“Fine,” she finally said, stopping in front of Liz. “So you don't know what's going to happen. Do you at least no an exact time?”

“I wish I did. All I know is that it happens around sunset, on some day. I don't know.”

“But, the vision I had - the one that you were supposed to have - in the vision, Harry was older. He was at least five years older. I mean, if these visions are of the future, doesn't that mean that he will live?” asked Hermione, suddenly filled with hope.

“Not necessarily.” Liz replied. “The visions I get are indeed of the future. But you have to realize that the future can be altered. It could end up the way you Saw, then again it may turn out completely different.” This was clearly not the answer Hermione wanted to hear.

“Arrrghhh!” she roared. “I'm sick of Harry's future being neither here nor there! I'm sick to death of him not being able to control his own destiny! Do you know how frustrating this whole thing is?”

“OF COURSE I DO!” Liz shouted in tears. Hermione suddenly became aware that Liz was now standing and growing in height. “Of course I know how frustrating it is! For about six months now, I've been pouring over this damn Vision! Trying to understand it! Trying to help save my little brother!”

Hermione looked at her. She could feel the hot tears pouring out of her eyes. Then she reached out and hugged Liz. “I'm sorry Liz. I didn't mean to make it seem like you don't care.” Hermione said pulling away slowly.

“I know.” said Liz shrinking down to normal size, and wiping her tears on her sleeve. “I know you didn't. You love him so much. It's understandable that this would be upsetting for you.”

“I do lo - ” Hermione began. Liz smile at her.

“It's okay Hermione.” she said. “It's okay to admit it. What's wrong with saying it?”

“Don't you know the answer to that already?” Hermione asked.

“Like I said Hermione, I'm and Empath, not a mind - reader.”

Hermione stood still, twiddling her thumbs and looking down at the floor. Then finally she looked back up at Liz. “There's nothing wrong with saying it.” Hermione said. “I've said it to myself a million times...in my head. I know it sounds silly, but the first time I say it aloud; I want to say it to his face.” Hermione looked out the window, there were people outside. They were all walking around the lake. Hermione could see couples walking along the glistening water, hand in hand. “I want to tell him just this once. That way, I won't be too disappointed when he rejects me.” Hermione said sniffling.

“Hermione, tell him.” said Liz. Hermione's head snapped back towards Liz.

“Didn't you hear what I just said?” Hermione said sounding slightly hysterical. “I can't - ”

“Yes you can. Why do you think I laugh all of the time when I'm around the two of you?” Hermione shrugged.

“Because Harry get's the same squirmy feeling whenever you're around!” Liz explained in between giggles.

“He - ...what?” Hermione asked incredulously.

“You heard me. Tell him Hermione. You, er...never know what might happen.” Liz said grinning at Hermione as if conveying a secret message. Hermione face lit up instantly. “Really.” she said smiling.

Liz said nothing, but continued to grin at her. “Okay then.” Hermione said, sitting down and pushing a wonderful thought from her head until later. “So this whole vision thing. It still doesn't explain why you're here. I mean, I know that as his sister you're concerned for Harry's life. But -”. Hermione suddenly broke off and looked sideways, thinking, then looked back at Liz. “Wait a minute.” she said comprehensively. “You're going to tell him aren't you? This year, because he might die soon. That's the reason you're here isn't it?”

“That's not it Hermione.” Liz said as she sat back down in Dumbledore's armchair. “I believe with all of my heart that Harry will kill Voldemort. And I am here for a reason. One that I can't give you.”

“But Dumbledore said to tell me everything.” Hermione retorted.

“Everything but that. You will learn of it in time, but not now.”

“So you won't tell me why you're here?” asked Hermione.

“No.” Liz replied and Hermione let out another roar of frustration.

“What's the point of telling me all of this anyway - if you're not going to tell me everything?” she bellowed.

“The reason why I'm telling you all of this is simply because you stumbled in on something you wouldn't understand unless it was properly explained with the truth.” Liz answered.

“So why didn't you just use a Memory Charm on me or something? Wouldn't have that been easier?” asked Hermione.

“Yes it would have. But Dumbledore thought it was best to explain the truth to you.”

“Did he say that?”

“No, I er..sensed it.”

“So, why then? Why did you tell me?”

“That Hermione,” Liz said smoothly. “Is another question that I cannot give you a direct answer to.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and let out an irritated sigh. “Fine.” she said. “Then will you at least tell me if, how and/or when you are panning on telling Harry about all of this.”

“I have no idea.” said Liz with a shaky voice. “It's much bigger than when I went to meet Sirius. I honestly don't know when, but I'll let you know when I do. And in the mean time, you have got to keep this secret Hermione. No one can know. This secret is far bigger than that Time Turner secret you had to keep a few years ago.”

Hermione looked at Liz with an expression of shock. “How did you - ”

“Minerva told me.” Liz interjected. “In fact, I'm having to use one myself this year.”

“You are?” Hermione asked.

“Well how else do you think I'm able to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts and go to classes? C'mon Hermione, I thought you were smart.”

“Right.” Hermione said feeling stupid for asking the question and a bit irritated with Liz's comment.. “Wait a minute.” she said forgetting the irritation. “That quarrel you had with Snape a few weeks ago - ”

“Was real. I don't like Professor Snape much. I'd always wanted to get away with yelling at him when I was a student and I just couldn't resist. Plus, it made me more believable as a student in front of everyone else..” Liz said chuckling.

“So, then Snape knows - about Harry and you being brother and sister?”

Liz nodded. “Yes, he knows. The detention he gave me, I suppose was to punish me for when I was his student. I was a trouble maker in his class. But other times, I was a good girl, sort of...I didn't get into much trouble because I never got caught. Anyway,” she said briskly. “ I didn't have to serve it..he couldn't keep me, a teacher in detention.”

As soon as Hermione smiled, a frown quickly took its place. “What's wrong?” asked Liz noticing Hermione's expression.

“It's just that, Harry, well he's not going to take all of this easily. I mean really, who can blame him? How would you feel? All of this secrecy...I just know, he's going to be furious. I don't know how long I can keep this a secret Liz. I can't lie to him.”

“I know Hermione. I know you can't, but you must for the time being. I'm begging you. Dumbledore and I are trusting you not to say anything to anyone. Not even Ron.”

“Okay, okay! I promise I won't say anything. I'm just letting you know how Harry is. It took him a long time to let go of Sirius...to move on. He tends to cling to the things that only hurt him in the future. Don't hurt him, and please tell him soon!”

“I will. I just don't know how soon.” Liz said with a sigh.

“Okay.” Hermione said.

“Oh, and Hermione,” Liz said quickly. “Make sure to keep up the act around me...as Liz and Professor Bright. Can you do that?”

“Yes.” Hermione said.

Just then, Professor Dumbledore entered his office as he said he would nearly an hour ago.

“Hello Miss Granger, and - ”

“Miss Potter, Professor.” Hermione offered.

“Yes. Miss Potter.” Dumbledore said and grinning slightly at Hermione. “Miss Granger, now that you know all of this information, you, and I use the word strongly must keep everything you've heard confined to this room. Everything you've heard must be kept secret until the time is right.”

“Yes sir.” Hermione said to him. “Liz explained it all.”

“Very well.” he said. “I do not feel that there is need to tell you anymore than Elizabeth has already told you Miss Granger. Again, I assure you that it was all true and you need not worry about that.” Hermione gave him a weak smile and nodded.

“You may both go down to the Great Hall.” Dumbledore said. “Tell anyone who asks, that `Professor Bright' is in a meeting with me now.”

Liz and Hermione stood and nodded, then walked towards the revolving staircase. While Professor Dumbledore made to sit in his chair.

“Elizabeth.” he said.

“Yes Professor?” Liz said turning to him.

“Your hair.” he said chuckling. Liz looked up and saw that it was still red from when she had shown Hermione her true color.

“OH! Thanks Professor.” she said and shook her head. Instantly, Hermione saw the red hair turned back into raven. She looked like Harry again. Hermione really couldn't see how that was a disguise, but it seemed to be working none the less.

“The two of you have a nice day.” Dumbledore said.

“You too, Professor.” Hermione said. And with that, she and Liz made their way down the staircase to join the rest of the world. They finally reached the bottom and walked to the Great Hall in silence. They were just around the corner when Liz spoke.

“Hermione,” she whispered

“Yeah?”

“By the way, the question you had about your homework...don't worry about it. I think you've had enough to deal with today.” Hermione laughed.

“Thanks.” she said.

“Just remember, keep up the act. I know it's horrible, but it has to be done.”

“I know. I'm good. I can do it. Don't worry.” Hermione said with a reassuring smile.

“Good. I know you are. You just don't worry, okay?” Liz said. “Ready?” Hermione nodded and the two of them entered the Great Hall.

They both spotted Harry instantly and went to sit down with them. Hermione felt her stomach give a great big lurch. Maybe she couldn't handle this. Maybe she couldn't keep up a charade. Maybe -

“Owww!” Hermione said as Liz poked her in the ribs with her elbow. “No doubts Hermione.” she whispered. Liz had `felt' that lurch in Hermione's stomach. “Okay.” Hermione whispered back. “I'm fine now really.” They were finally at the table at which Harry, Ron, Luna, and Ginny were sitting. “Hermione!” Harry said leaping from the table.

“Hi Harry.” Hermione said smiling and then turned towards the rest of the group. “Hi Ginny, Luna. Ron.” she said glaring at him. Ron smiled rather impishly and grabbed Luna's hand and got up quickly.

“C'mon Luna, we'd better go or I might not live to go on that trip we talked about next summer.” Ron said, and the two of them ran off laughing. Harry and Hermione both frowned at him then looked at each other. Then Harry diverted his eyes to Liz. “Oh, hi Liz.” he said.

“Good morning Harry.” she replied, sitting down next to Ginny and pouring herself some juice. Harry then looked back at Hermione. “Want to sit down and have some breakfast before it's over?” he asked.

“Erm...no thanks.” she said. “I'm not really feeling that hungry.”

“Oh.” Harry said. Hermione could have swore he sounded disappointed. “Well, sorry I can't stay then, I'm going to go. First Quidditch practice of the year, you know, and I need to get these new guys trained if we have any hope of winning the Cup this year..” Harry had been made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain and continued playing as a Seeker. “You ready?” he asked looking at Ginny - Gryffindor Chaser. Ginny took one last gulp of her juice and nodded. “Yep.” she said.

“Great.” said Harry. “Now let's go and find Ron. I swear, he'd better not miss any practices for snogging Luna in the Room of Requirement or I'll kill him. Also he could do with a good kick in the arse...for other reasons.” Hermione let out a laugh and shared a secret smile with Harry. Liz, of course, let out a smile snicker. Hermione shot her an angry glare. Luckily, Harry hadn't noticed anything. “I'll go and find him.” Ginny said. “We'll meet you at the pitch in ten minutes Harry.” And she ran off to find Ron.

“Alright,” Harry said turning to Hermione. “See you later.”

“Bye.” she said giving him a small wave as he glanced to Liz.

“See you Liz.” he said.

“Bye Harry.” she said.

Harry walked out of the Great Hall, and Liz couldn't help but notice that Hermione hadn't taken her eyes off of him the entire time. “Oh, you have got to tell him.” Liz said to her.

“I am.” Hermione said looking back at Liz. “Tonight.”

A/N: I know, I know I said that there would be Harry/Hermione stuff happening in this chapter (there was a teensy bit) but I didn't think it really fit here, so I moved it to the next one! You won't be disappointed! I'm writing it right now, in between English and Math homework! **cringes at the thought of homework**

So, I hope you liked this chapter. Please Review! Thanks!!


-->

9. What If I Were To Tell You...


A/N: Sorry this chapter wasn't finished sooner! My little sister sprained her ankle yesterday...we had to go to the doctors...and her pediatrician is like 20 miles away! Anyway, I've been taking care of her for awhile and not to mention working on immense pile of homework my professors have thrown on me! I just haven't had time to write! GRRR...sorry.

Let me just say, that I loved writing this chapter! Almost as much as I loved writing chapter 5 - “Surprises”!

Anyway, the chapter is finished now! I really hope you like this chapter! IT'S FLUFFY!! PURE HARRY AND HERMIONE!!

****************************************

What If I Were To Tell You...

The day seemed to drag on forever. Harry, Ron and Ginny had been at Quidditch practice for nearly three hours now. The first match of the season was against Hufflepuff in two weeks, and Hermione was sure that Harry wanted the new Beaters, Shawn Gabstraw and Daniel Arberton, trained up and ready to go.

Meanwhile, Liz had gone back to her office, rather Professor Bright's office, to finish her chat with her husband, Charlie. Hermione had gone with her, only to say a quick `Hello' and belated `Congratulations' to Charlie. She then left the couple to talk and decided to take a walk around the lake, but first headed for the Gryffindor common room to grab her cloak.

As Hermione made her way outside, she was instantly thankful to have her cloak tightly wrapped around her. The September air was chilly and the sky was now filled with looming black clouds, it looked as if it might rain soon. None the less, she needed a walk. She needed to think. Not too long ago, she'd been given an extraordinary amount of secret information. She still couldn't quite believe that after all this time Harry had real family. Not that she hadn't considered herself as his family for as long as she had known him, but Liz was blood. Liz was someone who had a vague sense of what he'd gone through after losing his parents... their parents, actually. Hermione wondered what it would have been like if Harry and Liz had grown up together. Would he be different? Would she and Harry have become friends. This was a thought Hermione dared not delve into. She didn't want to imagine her life without Harry.

The time went by, and after Hermione had walked nearly all the way around the lake thinking about the past, when she neared the Quidditch pitch. She could see that the air in the stadium was devoid of fliers. “They must have finally finished practice.” She thought. Her thoughts then drifted away from Harry's past and settled on his future. Would he live through the battle with Voldemort? “Of course he will.”she told herself. I Saw it in that Vision. I don't care what Liz says...he will live. Finally deciding that Harry would indeed have a future, that question popped in her head again: Would she be in it? She knew, of course that she would be. They were best friends after all. But Hermione wanted more than just friendship. She got that squirmy feeling again at the thought of being part of Harry's life, in that way. She thought back to what Liz had said earlier...

“Harry get's the same squirmy feeling whenever you're around!” is what Liz had said.

Hermione's face lit up with a smile. She will be part of Harry's life, in that way. There was only the matter of telling him how she really felt. She stopped and looked out onto the lake. There was a gentle surf rolling up onto the bank. The wind was beginning to pick up slightly, making her shudder. Hermione felt a small drop of water land on her hand as it began to sprinkle.

“What if I can't do it?” She asked herself aloud, still gazing out over the lake. “What if I freeze up and just stutter until he runs away?”

“Talking to yourself Hermione?” said a deep, familiar voice from behind her. “Until who runs away?” Her eyes widened as she realized who it was. She wheeled around and was face to face with Harry. He was still dressed in his Quidditch uniform, holding his Firebolt as his glasses were dotted with sprinklets of water. Wow, he looks amazing. Hermione mused.

“Hermione? Until who runs away?” Harry asked her again. Hermione was still staring at him, wearing an expression of shock. “There's no way he could have known who you were talking about”. She told herself. “Just lie...think Hermione...think!”

“Crookshanks.” she said immediately.

“Crookshanks?” Harry asked, half laughing. “Why would Crookshanks run away?”

Hermione had to think fast. “Because...er...he's mad at me.” she blurted out. “Crookshanks is mad at me? That's stupid!” Hermione thought.

Harry eyed her suspiciously. “Why?” he pressed, knowing full well that she was lying. The nervous-about-nothing, very un-Hermione tone she was using told him so.

“Well, er...he - ”

“Hermione,” Harry said cutting her off. “Why are you lying?” Hermione tried to give off the impression that she was being insulted. Needless to say, she failed dismally when she only stood there with her mouth open and no explanation.

“I, er - you see...” she stammered.

“Hermione, if you don't want to tell me all you have to do is say so.” said Harry smiling at her.

“Oh. Right.” Hermione said feeling mildly relieved for a moment, but a little embarrassed all the same.

“Alright, so you're not going to tell me.” Harry said sounding disappointed. “Er..listen, Ron and Ginny have already gone back to the castle. D'you want to wait for me here while I change, and then we can go back to the common room?”

Hermione gave him a faint smile and nodded.

“Okay, be right back then.” Harry said. He turned around and began to walk back towards the pitch to go to the changing rooms. Hermione watched him, feeling relieved once more. Then, that sickly feeling came over her again. What was she doing? Why was she lying? JUST TELL HIM! she roared in thought.

“Harry!” she called out running to him. He turned around and walked halfway towards her and closed the distance between them.

“Harry, I need to talk to you about something.” she said panting, and now standing in front of him.

“I knew it was something.” Harry said grinning. “What is it Hermione?”

“I need to ask you a question. And, please...answer truthfully.” Hermione said seriously.

“Okay.” said Harry. “Ask me anything.”

Hermione took a step closer towards Harry...then another...then another. They were so close together, Hermione's face was separated from his only by a few inches. Her eyes were glowing radiantly as she stared into Harry's and he was breathing hard now. “She's so...so close.” Harry thought. ”I just want to grab her and -“ But his thought were cut short when Hermione suddenly spoke.

“Harry,” she said slowly, barely speaking above a whisper. She took a deep breath and looked longingly into his eyes.

“Yes?” Harry said softly.

“Harry, if...if I were to tell you...that I...” Hermione took another quick intake of breath. “...that I love you - more than a friend...what would you say?”

THUD!

Harry's Firebolt had just hit the ground and his face froze. He was gaping at Hermione as he stood there in utter shock. He felt like someone had just hit him with the Jelly Legs Jinx. He could feel his legs ready to give way. “Did Hermione just say that? Did she really mean that?” he thought quickly. He couldn't believe this was finally happening. He couldn't believe that Hermione actually been harboring mutual feelings.

“Harry?” she said, waiting in agonizing and anticipated silence for his response. She was breathing shallow and gulped a little gulp, still waiting. Harry could see a tear in the corner of Hermione's eye, waiting to fall just before she lowered her head towards the ground. He could tell that by his lack of response, she was about to cry.

Suddenly, he let his face relaxed and came out of shock. He raised his hand to her face and lifted her chin with extreme delicacy, making her look at him. She complied by raising her head, Harry looked into her glossy, brown eyes. She was looking at him, that question lingering in her eyes, in her heart, yearning to be answered. Then...

“Hermione,” Harry said, letting go of her face. “Ask me again.”

“What?” asked Hermione, confused.

“Ask me that question again.” Harry said once more.

Hermione took in another deep breath and repeated her question: “If I were to tell you, that I love you - more than a friend...what would you say?” The second time around, Harry was ready. He looked at Hermione and began to run his hand up and down her cheek.

“I'd say, I love you too...” Harry said softly. “More than a friend.” Hermione felt a waves of emotion flow over her as he spoke. Hermione leaned into his caress and placed a hand on his. She closed her eyes for a moment, savoring the feeling of his gentle hands on her cheek and the words he had just said. Then, she opened her eyes and gazed at Harry.

“You do?” she whispered, inching closer to him.

“I do.” he replied smiling at her.

“Now, can I ask you a question, Hermione?” Harry said.

“Anything.” Hermione managed.

Harry looked further into her eyes, which were now glowing.

“What if I were to tell you...that I've wanted to kiss you for ages, what would you say?” he asked.

Hermione stared at him, and said desperately, “I'd say, kiss me now. Because I've wanted you to - ”

Hermione's words were suddenly cut off by Harry's lips pressing against hers. The kiss was hardly anything short of wonderful. The kiss lingered until Harry slowly pulled inches away.

“ - kiss me for ages.” Hermione finished breathlessly as the sprinkles of water that were falling now turned to drops of rain. They smiled at one another, just long enough to see in each other's expressions that they both wanted more. Harry's hand whipped to the back of Hermione's head and pulled her close to drew her lips back to his. Their lips met, yet again. Hermione felt her body tingle with jubilance. The kiss was sweet yet savage. Wanting to be closer to him, if possible, Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and let her passion flow through into the kiss. Harry's hands traveled through her hair and down her back and rested on her waist. They were lost in each other now, completely oblivious to everything around them. They stood there, kissing in the rain, soaking it in as part of a new memory until they reluctantly broke apart.

The rain was now dancing around them, pouring harder and harder. They were both drenched, but neither cared. Harry brought his hands up to Hermione's face and cupped her cheeks. As she smiled at him, he leaned his forehead against hers and closed his eyes and listened to her breathing.

“I love you.” he said. Hermione smiled in jubilation and pulled him closer to her.

“I love you too.” she said.

Now noticing the rain that was falling, Harry pulled away from Hermione, picked up his Firebolt and led her to the shelter of the Quidditch changing rooms.

Harry walked into the changing room and set down his broom and went to get some towels. “I'll be right back.” he said to Hermione and kissed her softly.

“Okay.” she said. Hermione sat down on one of the benches as Harry disappeared into the back to get their towels.

As Harry walked to the back, his thoughts were racing. He couldn't believe what had just happened. He'd wanted her for so long. Now, she was his. He couldn't believe how amazing it had felt to kiss her. He hastened his pace and grabbed two clean towels quickly, he was only a few feet away, but he already missed her.

Hermione was having similar thoughts as she wait for Harry to return. Her stomach was full of butterflies and she couldn't control the shake that ran through her body. Perhaps it was the cold, but the fact that she and Harry had just confessed their love for one another definitely had something to do with it. She wanted him back...now. Just as she was about to leap up from the bench and run to the back of the room to find Harry and kiss him again, he came darting into the room. He ran towards her dropping the towels and lifted her out of her seat and brought her into another kiss. Hermione matched his need as she kissed him back.

This lasted for awhile...

Hermione soon came up for air. “Harry,” she said breathlessly. “We have to stop and - .” Harry quickly cut off her words with another kiss. “Have - to - talk.” Hermione said between kisses. Finally Harry pulled away from her. She had strings of hair trailing down her face, Harry brushed them aside with his fingers and leaned in to kiss her on the forehead. Hermione smiled inwardly. “This is wonderful!” she thought. Harry pulled away from her once more and sat back to look at her.

“You, are beautiful Hermione.” he said. Hermione blushed. “Thanks.” she said.

“So, what do you want to talk about?” Harry asked.

“Well - this!” Hermione said waving her hand back and forth between them.

“Okay,” Harry said. “Well, do you mind if I ask you the first question then?”

“Sure, go ahead.” said Hermione.

He led her outside.

“Do you mind if we go somewhere...warmer?” Harry asked, grinning.

“Okay, but then we talk.” Hermione insisted.

“Right. Then we'll talk.” Harry said pulling out his wand and raising. “Accio Firebolt.” he said. His Firebolt came whizzing through the room and outside and landed in his hands. He picked up Hermione and set her on the broom, then climbed on behind her.

“Harry, what are you doing?” Hermione nearly screamed. “You know I don't like - ”

“Just hang on, I won't let you fall Hermione.” Harry said. And he kicked off and they were flying towards the castle.

They landed gracefully, Hermione was still clinging to Harry's waist even after her feet touched the ground. Harry released himself from her vice-like grip and turned to look at her. He couldn't help but let out a little chuckle when he saw Hermione's face. Her eyes were wide and her hair was thrashed about. She looked adorable.

“Harry James Potter!” she roared! “If you ever do that again, I'll - .”

Harry quickly cut off her threat with a brief kiss. “Oh never mind.” he heard her mutter.

“Can we go in now?” she asked shivering. “I'm freezing.” It had stopped raining, but their clothes were still very damp, and the ride on Harry's Firebolt indeed had the wind running through their hair...and freezing them half to death.

Harry nodded and they walked into the castle. No one was around. “What time is it?” Harry asked. Hermione checked her watch. “It's nearly 6:30 she said. “Everyone must be at dinner.”

“Right, well I'm not hungry. What about you?” Harry asked. Hermione shook her head. “No, not really.”

“Didn't think so.” Harry said grinning. “C'mon, let's sneak upstairs.” They both quickly ran up several flights of stairs, until they reached their rooms. “Mine or yours?” Hermione asked Harry.

“Which ever one you want.” he said to her. Hermione gave him a sultry sort of look and walked to the portrait hole in front of his room. “Quidditch Seeker.” she said softly, and the painting swung open.

“Mine it is then.” Harry said smiling.

As they entered, Hermione walked straight to Harry's bedroom and lit the candles. “Incendio.” Hermione said, then pointed her wand at the fireplace. “Incendio.” she said again. Sparks shot out the tip of her wand, and a fire was now blazing. Harry joined her in the bedroom. “Hermione you need to dry off.” he said handing her a towel. “Thanks.” she said wrapping it around her hair. “Oh, I forgot to get some clothes out of my room.”

“Well, I could go and get them.” Harry offered. “Or...I dunno, you could just...er...wear one of my shirts or something.”

Hermione's eyes shot at him at lightning speed. “Oh, well I suppose I could...so, does that mean that I'll be sleeping here tonight?” she said in that sultry tone again.

“I guess it does.” Harry said grinning...again. He loved this. “M'kay, I'll be right back with a shirt and some pajama bottoms for you to wear.

When Harry returned Hermione wasn't in the bedroom. “Hermione?” he called out. “I'm in the bathroom!” he heard her yell. Harry walked to the bathroom and knocked on the door. The creaked open slightly and Hermione poked her head out. “Thanks Harry.” she said taking the clothes from him. While Hermione changed, Harry went to change into his pajamas - he'd never changed out of his Quidditch things. Then he walked back into the bedroom and waited for Hermione. Harry's thoughts wondered to those of a seventeen year-old. Then, he quickly stopped himself. That was not going to happen. At least not yet.

It was funny how Harry and Hermione always seemed to be on the same track of thought. Hermione had been wondering if Harry took her sultriness to heart. If so, it was not what she had intended at all...well maybe a little, but she knew that, that was not going to happen. Well, not yet anyway.

Back in the bedroom, Harry had been waiting for Hermione for nearly 2 minutes - he had been counting, when she suddenly appeared in his doorway, looking absolutely adorable in his clothes. She was wearing one of his favorite T-shirts, it had all of the Chudley Canons players drawn as caricatures. He didn't know why, but he loved that shirt. Hermione was also wearing a pair of his black pajama bottoms. “You look so cute.” he said to her.

“Stop it Harry.” she said waving him off.

“No, I'm serious Hermione. You're breathtaking.”

“Wow, beautiful, cute, and breathtaking all in one day.” Hermione said giggling. “I'm really enjoying this Harry.” He laughed and got into bed.

“It's not time to go to bed yet Harry, we really need to talk.” Hermione said seriously.

“I know.” Harry said pulling up the covers for her to get in. “But that doesn't mean we have to freeze to death while we do it.” Hermione eyed him for a moment, then walked over and joined him under the covers. Harry sat against the headboard and wrapped his arms around her. She let out a sigh and laid her head on his chest. Once they were comfortable, Harry started the conversation.

“So,” he said. “Can I ask the second first question?”

Hermione giggled. “I suppose.” she said.

“Alright. How long?” he asked.

“How long what?”

“How long have you erm...”

“Loved you?” Hermione offered.

“Yeah.”

“I don't really know, Harry. I can't really pinpoint the exact moment because, it seems like I've always loved you.” she said as he grabbed her hand and began to lace his fingers with hers. “What about you?” she asked looking up a him.

“The same as you, I guess.” he said. “I can't give you an exact moment either. It just sort of...happened.”

“So, I made the first move?” asked Hermione, giving Harry a cheeky grin.

“Well...it's not like I didn't want to...you were just...impatient.” Harry stammered.

“Impatient?” Hermione laughed. “Oh, please Harry...seven years...I'm pretty sure I've been patient! And anyway, you could have made the first move...what kind of a Gryffindor are you?” Harry started laughing.

“I was only kidding Hermione. There's no need for insults.” he said quickly. “To be honest, I never thought you would see me, in that way.”

“Likewise.” Hermione said sardonically and rested her the back of her head on Harry's chest.

“Then, what made you tell me today?” Harry asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. She couldn't tell him it was because of Liz...no, Harry couldn't know that...not yet anyway. “I don't know.” she told Harry. “But, you know me...once I set my mind on something...Anyway,” she said briskly, “I'm sorry I insulted you.”

“Hermione, I know you were joking. And I'm glad you're the determined type.”

Hermione smiled and moved up to give him a kiss.

“So,” she said lying back down in his arms. “Are we going to tell anyone?”

“Only if you want to.” he said resting his cheek on Hermione's head.

“I do. I mean, well not everyone just yet. We could start with Ron and then gradually work are way on from there.”

“Whatever you want is fine Hermione. I'm perfectly content just holding you here in my arms.”

Harry said, squeezing Hermione gently as she snuggled closer to him.

They spent the next two hours talking about everything, from their old relationship to their new one, from Harry's parents and Sirius to hers, and then finally about the Prophecy and Voldemort.

“Hermione, I don't want anything to happen to you.” he said to her.

“Nothing's going to happen to me Harry.”

“Because I won't let it.” he said hugging her to him. “I promise.”

“I know you won't.” she said. Hermione's thoughts wondered to the Vision she had gotten from Liz. She wanted it to happen. “Harry, promise me that you'll be safe when it comes time to fight Voldemort.” she whispered. “Promise me that everything will be alright.”

“I can't - ”

“Just promise.” Hermione said anxiously.

“I promise,” Harry said. “But Hermione, you have to promise me the same thing.”

“I promise you, Harry.” she said earnestly.

The early part of the evening was fading away into late night, and Harry and Hermione were now lying in bed, wrapped in each other's arms. “It's raining again.” Hermione said, and she heard Harry moan next to her. She could see that his eyes were shut and he was falling asleep. She smiled at him and leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “Goodnight Harry.” she whispered. She rolled over, out of Harry's arms and reached for her wand, which was lying on Harry's bedside table and gave it a wave to put out the candles. She rolled back over onto her back and prepared to go to sleep. Just then, Harry pulled her closer to him and embraced her once more. Hermione let out a soft sigh. This was heaven. She was lying in his arms, she was his...forever. On the other side of the bed, Harry's side, she could hear the raindrops hitting the window, the sound was soothing. Just as she was nodding off into sleep, she felt Harry give her a gentle squeeze. “I love you.” he whispered.

“I love you too.” Hermione said, and nodded off into sleep...smiling.

******************************************

A/N: Have you noticed that I like them falling asleep in each other's rooms? It just goes on further with each time. But, I think that this is the last time that will happen...for awhile at least.

I really hope you liked this chapter! I loved writing it! I'm hoping that I can get the next chapter up quick. Well, if no more `disasters' occur anyway! Anyway...I hope you liked it! Thanks for reading! PLEASE REVIEW! :)


-->

10. A Good Morning


A/N: This chapter is kind of pointless. It really holds no importance other than I wanted a little more fluff.

P.s. Thank you everyone who's reviewed this story! I really appreciate them! They make the story easier to knowing that you're all still reading! Thanks again!

Green_Eye_Sparkle16

A Good Morning

Very early the next morning, Hermione awoke with a wonderful feeling flowing through her. She could hear the rain that was still tapping against the bedroom window and the wind that whooshed by. She could hear Harry beside her, his breathing was gentle and calming. She turned her head slightly to watch his chest rise and fall, and then looked at his face. His eyes were closed and his hair was ruffled. His lighting shaped scar was just barely visible through the strands of unruly hair. Hermione reached to brush the loose locks out of his eyes and away from his scar; then, slowly moved to run her fingers over it.

She traced it with her fingers, her eyes welling with tears as she thought of what it represented. She hated that even in the happiest of moments - this one, Voldemort still plagued them. Her fingers traveled past his scar, as she discarded all thoughts of Voldemort - he was NOT going to ruin this. Slowly, her fingers moved over his sleeping eyes and down to his cheeks...jaw...and she stopped at his lips. Taking her hand away, she pressed a kiss to her fingers and returned them to Harry's lips. “I love you Harry.” she whispered. “I promise, I'll do anything and everything to protect you.” She smiled at him as he slept and continued to listen to him breathe until it soothed her back into slumber.

Later, Hermione woke once more, but this time to the absence of the tranquil sounds of Harry's breathing. The rain, she still heard, but no breathing. “Harry?” she whispered blearily, turning her head.

“I'm here.” Harry whispered next to her. Hermione rolled over onto her side to look at him. He was lying sideways, propped up on his elbow and his head in his hand. He was staring at her.

“What?” she asked relaxing her head on a pillow.

“Nothing.” Harry said smiling tenderly. “Just watching you sleep, that's all.” Hermione gave him a breathtaking smile as he began to stroke up and down her cheek with his hand, letting his thumb brush over her lips. It sent a wave of shivers down her spine. She closed her eyes to memorize this blissful feeling while Harry continued to entrance her with his simple touches. Before she knew it, Harry was pulling her into his arms. She moved closer to him and, getting warmer next to his body and wrapped an arm around his chest and nestled herself comfortably in his arms. Pure ecstacy flowed through her. Harry hugged her to him, not wanting to ever let go of her, let alone have to get out of bed sooner or later.

“Mmmm”, she moaned. “This is nice. I don't ever want to leave.”

“I know what you mean.” Harry said kissing the top of her head. They held each other for several minutes before the heard a noise somewhere in the front room.

Before either of them could react, Ron had entered the bedroom. “Harry where have you been? Do you know where Hermione - ” Ron stopped dead in the entrance of the room. “Bloody Hell!” he exclaimed at the site of Harry and Hermione holding each other. They both sat up and wore expressions of shock that matched Ron's.

“I guess you already know where Hermione is.” Ron said mockingly. “When did this happen? You two didn't - did you?”

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and then back at Ron. “Ron!” Hermione shouted.

“Not that it's any of your business, but no.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Ron said laughing. “So what is this? Did you two finally figure it out last night? Or have you two been going on like this forever?”

“What?” Harry and Hermione asked in unison. “Wait, slow down Ron.” said Harry. “What are you talking about? You're not surprised, is what your saying.”

“Of course not.” Ron said. Harry and Hermione stared up at him with questioning eyes.

“Well, I only mean that it's about time you both hooked up. Everyone knows you like each other.” Ron said.

Love each other.” Harry corrected him quietly.

“Right.” Ron said. “We all knew that.”

“Who's `we'?” Hermione chimed in.

“Well, everyone really.” Ron said. “Anyone who see's you two together. It's been so easy to see that you two fancied each other. I mean you both obviously care about each other a lot, you can tell whenever you have row.”

“We were that obvious?” Harry asked looking down at Hermione (who was still in his arms) and back up at Ron. Ron only smiled. Hermione was confused.

How were we obvious? And Harry and I never really quarreled. Well, not as much as you and I did anyway.” she said to Ron.

“Yeah, but you and I only bickered about stupid things, and you know it was only because I really liked you - I told you that last year, remember?” Hermione nodded her head.

“That was just bickering. And anyway I have Luna...” Ron continued. “You and Harry have always had more serious arguments...you know, about life or death situations and stuff like that.”

“Alright.” Hermione said, still unconvinced that she and Harry had been so obviously infatuated with one another. “But I still don's see how that would make it obvious that we were in love with each other. I mean, don't you think you were reading into it a bit deep?”

Ron snorted. “No. There's little things you both do...”

“Like what?” Harry asked. Ron rolled his eyes and walked over to sit on the edge of the bed.

“Well, you know Hermione hugged you every chance she got. Still does actually, but now...well, she's got a reason.” Ron added snickering. Hermione threw a pillow at him. “Get on with it.” she said.

“Okay, okay.” Ron said throwing the pillow back at her. “How `bout back in third year, d'you remember when Harry fell off his broom that one Quidditch match?” he asked Hermione.

“Yes, what about it?”

Ron looked over at Harry. “You should have seen her Harry. She was hysterical! I mean she was crying here eyes out. D'you remember, her eyes were all red and - ”

Okay Ron!” Hermione snapped. He get's it. I was crying my eyes out. But I mean, come on; Harry had just fallen off his broom from about fifty feet high and I thought he'd died! Honestly Ron, how come you weren't crying your eyes out?”

“Because I'm not in love with Harry!” Ron laughed. “I knew he was fine, Dumbledore made sure of that.”

“Whatever.” Hermione retorted. “You've only mentioned two things, and they don't even seem the least bit obvious about Harry and me being in love.”

“I'm not finished yet.” said Ron. “So, where was I? Oh right! Try this one: Do you remember when Harry and Cho kissed that night?”

Hermione's expression turned cold. Harry noticed this and looked menacingly at Ron.

“Please, do you have to mention that?” Harry asked him. Hermione pretended not to be bothered by the mention of Cho...by the mention of Cho kissing Harry...her Harry.

“Calm down mate.” Ron said. “I only meant that Hermione,” he said looking at her. “You seemed really upset about it. I mean you didn't congratulate him or anything. You just told him everything he did wrong.”

Hermione frowned. “Okay, okay! I couldn't take the image of the pair of them kissing! I wanted Harry! There, are you happy?!” she snapped at Ron.

“Yeah. I knew it!”

Harry looked at Hermione. “I knew you never liked her.”

“So?” Hermione said.

“Nothing!” Harry added quickly and kissed her on the forehead then turned to Ron. Hermione cuddled herself up to Harry even closer, as if protecting that which was hers. Harry was definitely hers, and no one else could ever have him.

“But still, Ron, that was only you. No one else knew about that.” Harry said.

“Oh shut up!” Ron said waving him off. “Look, it was obvious for me because I was around the two of you all the time. Other's saw other things, alright! Don't worry about it anyway. You're both together now, it doesn't matter.”

Hermione leaned back into Harry's arms and rolled her eyes at Ron.

“So, I take it you two won't be down for breakfast then?” Ron asked as he got up from the bed. “Never mind, I already know the answer to that. I'll send Dobby up here with some food.” Ron said, and then walked out of the bedroom.

“Ron!” Hermione called out. Ron came back and poked his head in the room. “Yeah?”

“Please don't say anything to anyone. Not yet anyway.” Hermione said.

“Hermione, you and Harry are my best friends. I won't tell anyone. I promise.”

Hermione gave him a smile. “Thank you.” she said earnestly. Ron winked at the two of them and left the Head Boy chambers to go and find Luna.

“And don't forget to pay Dobby!” Hermione yelled after him and sitting up.

Harry laughed. “You are too cute.” he said to Hermione while he ran his fingers through her hair.

“I know.” she said cheekily, lying back into his arms. “Can't we just stay here all day?”

“I wouldn't mind.” Harry said.

Hermione basked in the feeling of Harry's arms sweetly wrapped around her. She closed her eyes and was nearing peaceful sleep once again when Harry spoke.

“Hermione,” he said.

“Hmm?”

“Did you get the answers you needed from Professor Bright?”

Hermione's eyes shot open. “What?” she asked slightly worried at the mention of “Professor Bright”.

“You're homework.” Harry said, still stroking her hair.

“Oh that!” Hermione let out. It took a moment for her to begin breathing again. “Yeah, she did.”

Harry was quiet for a moment, which made Hermione rather nervous. When she was about to change the subject, he spoke.

“What do you think of Professor Bright?” Harry asked.

Hermione paused for a moment to gather her thoughts. “She's nice.” she said.

“Yeah, she sure is better than all the others we've had...well, you know other than Remus. I wonder where she comes from. I wonder why Dumbledore chose her.”

“Beats me.” Hermione said quickly and leapt out of Harry's arms.

“What's - ”

“I'm just going to the bathroom Harry, I'll be right back.”

“Okay.” Harry said eyeing her curiously.

Hermione walked out of the room and into Harry's bathroom around the corner and closed the door behind her. After closing the door, she leaned her back against the door and immediately let out a frustrated “Augh!!! This is so hard!” she muttered to herself angrily. “Alright Hermione, calm down.” she told herself. She pressed her hands against her head and ran her hands through her hair and stood there for awhile. A few seconds later she heard Harry calling her.

“Hermione! Dobby just came and brought us some food.” he called to her.

“Okay! Be right out!” Hermione called back. She composed herself and let herself out of the bathroom.

“I'm in the front Hermione!” she heard Harry shout.

“Alright!” she yelled back. “Act normal.” she told herself.

“Did you pay Dobby?” she asked Harry as she walked into the room.

“Yes, of course Hermione.” Harry said, reassuring her with a to-die-for smile.

“Good.” Hermione said sitting down on the sofa. “So, what did Dobby bring us?”

Harry sat down beside her and brandished a large pile of fruit that was sitting on a silver platter. “Yum!” Hermione said eagerly. “What else?”

“My aren't you hungry.” Harry said as he waved another silver tray in front of her nose, which was full of breads and cheeses. Hermione seized the tray and snatched it from Harry's hands. “Yes!” she said smiling. “I gave up my dinner to be with you last night...I am not giving up breakfast. No matter how much I love you!” Harry laughed. “Do you want some eggs?” He offered her, holding up a plate full of them. Hermione got up to take the plate from him, but as soon as she got close to him, with his speedy hands he set down the plate and pulled Hermione to him. “Gotcha!” he said and began tickling her.

“Ha - Harry!” she gasped. “St - stop!” Harry ignored her and continued to tickle her mercilessly. He loved this. This sort of relationship with Hermione. It was perfect in so many ways. He couldn't believe how fortunate he was to even be in the presence of someone like Hermione, let alone tickling her mad as her boyfriend.

Hermione continued to wither and squirm under his fingers gasping for breath and laughing so hard that tears were now coming from her eyes. “Harry! Please...please Harry!” she continued to yell, laughing heartily.

“Okay, okay.” Harry said letting go of her. Hermione shot up and backed away from him.

“You'll pay for that Harry!” she said sticking her tongue out at him.

“Sorry love, I just had to have you in my arms again.”

Hermione shot him a smile and then sat down beside him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“You called me `love.” she said musing on the word.

“Yeah.” said Harry, now tracing the lines on Hermione's hands. “What about it?”

“That's what my dad calls my mum.”

“Oh, sorry. I - ”

“No, no, no, no...that's why I like it.” Hermione said quickly. “I mean, it's so long lasting...do you know what I mean? Does that make sense.”

Harry smiled and kissed her on the nose. “No. But I like that you like it...`love'.

They spent the next hour chatting with each other and cuddling when Hermione finally decided it was time for them to leave the room. “Harry you have homework to do. We really should get to the library.”

“Hermione, no matter how much you say you love me, I think your heart will always belong to that library.”

“Shut up Harry.” she said smacking him playfully in the arm and walking over to the portrait hole entrance. “I'm going to go take a shower and get dressed. I'll meet you in the library then?”

“Alright...” Harry said in a whiney voice. “We'll stop snogging and cuddling and go read under the watchful eye of Madame Pince!”

Hermione simply rolled her eyes at him and blew him a kiss as she walked out the portrait hole.

“She is so amazing.” Harry said to himself after she left. “I promise I'll never let anything happen to you...Love.” he added with a smile.

Harry cleared up the food with a small incantation and then went to take a shower. His thoughts wondered to those he had the day they had arrived at Hogwars, not but a few weeks ago. This year was definitely going to be great, not to mention what a good morning this was. And last night...no question was one of the greatest moments of his life. Harry's mind was at ease and he was the happiest he had been in a very long time.

A/N: I know this chapter was short...and a bit pointless, I needed to get a chapter up to get the story going again because I've been busy with other stuff. I also just wanted a little more fluff before I let them out of the room. And besides, I need to gradually ease you all into the drama!!

Thanks for reading. Please review!


-->

11. Bits of Rising Tension


A/N: I hope you all enjoy this chapter. It's slowly drifting away from the fluff...there's still some there though...don't worry! :) Let me know what you think!!

Terri, you know this is for you! Thanks for being so great! Here's to you and your Fairy Tale! **raises milkshake and bowl of popcorn**

The Rising Tension

Harry walked towards the library feeling extremely happy. He couldn't recall one time in all his years at Hogwarts when he felt happy about going to the library. But his feeling of happiness had nothing to do with the library, rather who was waiting for him inside.

As Harry walked in, he instantly began to comb the room for Hermione. To his immense disappointment, he hadn't spotted her anywhere. He strode down the aisles, checking between each one to see if she had been looking for something. He was nearing the back of the library and was going down what must have been the seventh aisle of checking, when someone came from behind and wrapped their arms around his stomach. “Good morning.” a voice whispered in his ear. Harry turned to see Hermione. Her unmistakable, beautiful voice had sent him into shivers up and down his spine.

“A very good morning.” he said kissing her on the cheek and then softly on the lips. “It's a good thing we're in the back of the library. No one can see us, and I definitely don't think Madame Pince would approve.”

“I don't think so either.” Hermione said laughing and taking his hand in hers. “Come on, let's get your homework done and then we can continue this later.”

“Augh, alright.” Harry whined. “Homework it is.”

Hermione led him deeper into the library until they were shut up in a corner where she had put down her things, a corner where no one would bother them. Harry pulled out a chair for Hermione to sit and then sat down next to her.

They worked on their homework - Hermione revising her Defense Against the Dark Arts assignment that Professor Bri - Liz had given them; while Harry worked on a Charms Essay. On occasion, the two of them would stop for a moment just to hold hands under the table and smile at one another. Finally an hour later Harry slammed his book shut.

“There, all done.” he announced quietly and looked over at Hermione.

“Me too.” she said smiling brightly. “Now what do you want to do?”

“Oh I don't know.” Harry said smirking. “We could always go to the Room of Requirement...Ron and Luna occupy it way too much. It'll be happy to see some new faces.”

Hermione laughed.

“Or, since it's stopped raining,” Harry said. “We could just go for a walk around the lake and talk some more.”

Hermione gave him another one of her breathtaking smiles. “Well, as much as I'd love to do the first one, I think I'll take the latter.”

“What? You don't like kissing me?” Harry said in a mock-hurt voice. “You'd rather walk around the mushy shores of the lake?”

“No!” Hermione said immediately. “I mean, yes, Harry I love kissing you. But you know, we have been shut up in that room of yours for quite some time now. I think the Room of Requirement would mimic the surroundings of the Head Boy chambers.”

“Yeah, you're right.” Harry said, sounding slightly put out. “Actually, I was kind of hoping you wanted the walk, it'll give us a chance to just talk.”

“Oh, so you don't like kissing me either?” Hermione teased. “Harry, we talked all last night.”

“I know, but there are some other things that I want to talk to you about. And, I absolutely LOVE kissing you Hermione.”

Hermione flashed him as smile and pecked him on the cheek. “Alright, let's go put our things away and head outside.”

They both made there way out of the library, Harry laughing lightly at the occasional poke in the ribs Hermione gave him, and Madame Pince shushing them out the doors. They turned the corner after leaving the library to go to their rooms when the one person they did not expect to see showed up.

“Oh, don't tell me!” they heard. It was Draco Malfoy. Malfoy was staring with a look of disgust on his face at their entangled hands. “The scarhead and the Mudblood together? How disgusting!” Harry had pulled out his wand so quickly, Malfoy hadn't even seen him reach for it.

“Harry don't!” Hermione said pushing aside his wand, but Harry resisted.

“No, Hermione! I'm sick of this rubbish he throws at us all the time! He's got to learn when to quit!”

“Harry just leave it.” Hermione pleaded. “Let's just go.” Harry glared at Malfoy for a moment then lowered his wand. Malfoy snickered with a smug grin on his face.

“Look at you Potter!” Malfory sneered. “You're pathetic! Taking orders from your Mudblood girlfriend!” Harry's wand was once again inches from Malfoys nose. “Malfoy, if you EVER insult her again...I will kill you.” Harry's eyes was dark and threatening. Hermione didn't care for them.

“Harry!” Hermione screeched. “Come on, he's not worth it an you know it! Let's just go.”

Harry glared at Malfoy once more. “Watch yourself Malfoy.” he said as Hermione pulled him away.

“And you do the same!” Malfoy called after them! “You'd better do the same! You and the Mudblood.” he whispered vindictively.

Harry and Hermione rounded the nearest corner and Harry stopped to kick the wall. Luckily the corridor was empty, saving anyone from witnessing Harry's furious temper rise.

“Harry calm down.” Hermione said tentatively. “Look, you know he's just trying to get back at you for putting his father in jail.”

“I know.” Harry said, running his hands through his hair. “But his stupid dad escaped last year and is on the move now. What's he whining for?”

“Old wounds leave deep scars, Harry.” Hermione said pulling him into a hug. “You know that.”

“I do, but I swear Hermione, if he ever insults you or even comes near you ever again...I'm gonna kill him.”

“No you won't Harry!” Hermione said firmly as she pulled away to look at him. “You save that hate and anger for one person and one person only.” She had tears in her eyes and was stroking his face with her hands. Harry's hands found hers and he gave them a gentle squeeze then pulled her back to him.

“You're right.” he said. “I just can't stand Malfoy, you know.”

“I know. Listen, let's just forget this whole thing and go do what we were going to do, okay?”

“Okay.” Harry said kissing her softly on the lips.

SNAP!

Colin Creevey had appeared out of nowhere and taken their picture. “Congrats you two!” he said and ran off to tell everyone the news.

“Well, so much for keeping it a secret.” Harry said. “Now what? Should we try and stop him?”

“I don't think it would do any good. Malfoy's bound to tell everyone anyway. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole school knows already.”

“Yeah, I guess you're right.”

Let's just hurry up and get ready to go for that walk so we can avoid confrontation.” Hermione said.

“Good idea.” Harry agreed.

They walked up to their rooms and dropped off their things and put on their scarves and cloaks. September weather was speaking for itself with the storm the other day. Once dressed for a chilly walk by the lake, Harry and Hermione headed downstairs towards the courtyard. On there way, they met Liz.

“Hi you two.” she said. “You going for a walk?”

“Er...yeah.” Harry said quickly pushing Hermione along. He was still in a bit of a huffy mood, due to Malfoy.

“Well, you'd better hurry up. You know, there's a rumor floating around the school that you two are a couple.”

“It spread that quickly?” Hermione said surprised.

Liz nodded. “Yep. And judging by your hand holding, I'd say it was true.” Liz said winking at Hermione. Harry looked confused. “Hurry up and I'll tell everyone you're snogging in the greenhouses.” Liz said. The three of them laughed and Harry's mood was somewhat lightened.

“Thanks.” Harry said to her.

“No problem.” she said smiling as Harry and Hermione walked out into the courtyard. “No problem at all little bro.” she whispered to herself.

Harry and Hermione were a little way into the courtyard when Hermione stopped and turned around. “Harry, I'll be right back.” she said kissing him on the cheek.

“Okay.” he said.

Hermione ran back into the castle and turned the corner and found Liz and gave her a hug. “Thank you.” she said.

“For what?” Liz asked as Hermione let go of her.

“For helping me realize it's okay to love him.” Hermione said. Liz smiled at her. “You're welcome. Now go!”

Hermione ran back out to the courtyard to Harry and slipped her hand in his. “Let's go.” she said.

“What was that all about?” Harry asked as they walked towards the lake.

“Oh nothing.” Hermione said, resting her head on his shoulder. “Just thanking her for a little `insight'.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

Hermione giggled. “I'll tell you someday. Come on, let's get moving before someone else sees us.”

They walked quickly towards the lake and began to encircle it, holding each other's hands and every so often pecking each other with chaste kisses.

“So what is it that you wanted to talk about?” Hermione finally asked.

“Oh, that.” Harry said, stopping abruptly and turning toward her.

“What is it?”

“Well, I just wanted to talk to you about...Voldemort.”

“Harry, I thought we'd already talked about this.” Hermione said resting a hand on Harry arm.

“I know.” Harry said. “ It's just, there's something else.”

“What else is there Harry?”

“Well, it was just this morning, when I was watching you...”

“Yes?” Hermione looked very concerned.

“Well, I was just thinking...I mean, I've really got the hang of Occlumency now, but I'm no master - ”

“And you're worried that Voldemort will do what he did with Sirius?” Hermione suggested.

“Yeah.” Harry said. “I just - nothing can happen to you Hermione. You're, well, you know you're really all I have. You're my family.” Harry turned his head to look out at the lake. Hermione simply stared at him for a moment, then brought his attention back to her by taking his face in her hands.

“Harry, nothing will happen to me.” she said reassuringly. “I'm not off by myself, I'm here with you...I'm safe. Voldemort can't just put a thought in your head that he's got me, and if he does, it'll be easy for you to check, I'm right next door.”

“You're not necessarily safe with me Hermione, you know that.”

Hermione was looking at him with small tears escaping out the corners of her eyes. She knew what he meant. He was concerned for her safety; being associated with Harry meant Voldemort knew about you. But Hermione didn't care. She would risk her life for him any day.

“Harry,” she said taking his hands in hers. “I know what you mean, but I'll be by your side until the end of all things.”

Harry pulled her into a hug. “I love you Hermione. I promise you I won't let anything happen to you.”

“I know you won't.” Hermione said rubbing his back. “I love you too. And we are family Harry, forever.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They returned to the castle around 4 o'clock. “I think we missed lunch.” Harry said as they entered the near empty Great Hall.

“I think we need to stop missing meals all together.” Hermione said chuckling.

“Yeah,” said Harry. “Why don't we go and find Ron. We haven't really seen him all weekend...well with the exception of this morning.”

“Yeah, he's probably in the Room of Requirement with Luna.” Hermione said laughing.

So, they went off to find him. To their surprise, he wasn't in the Room of Requirement. Although, both Harry and Hermione were both extremely thankful that they hadn't walked in to find Ron and Luna snogging...they had walked in on that before and it was something they were desperately trying to forget. They decided to try the Gryffindor common room. When they got there, they didn't find Ron, but found Liz and Ginny talking.

“Hi there!” Ginny said grinning. “How's your day been?”

“Good.” Hermione said. Ginny just sat there smiling at them. Then, out of nowhere she was jumping up and down and giving them both hugs. “Congratulations! I can't believe you two are finally together! Hermione why didn't you tell me? I can't believe this! It's so great! Oh you two are going to be so happy together, and - ”

“GINNY!” Hermione shouted. Ginny stopped rambling on and stepped back to look at them both. “What?” she asked.

“Will you calm down.” Hermione said. “Thanks for the congratulations though.” Ginny calmed down and went to sit back down next to Liz.

“Hey,” Liz said. “How was your walk?”

“Good.” Hermione said sitting down in an armchair. “Where is everyone?” The common room was completely void of students other than the four of them.

“They're all in the Great Hall, talking about the two of you.” Liz said.

“Oh.”

“Ginny, when, where and how did you find out?” Harry asked, sitting on the arm of Hermione's chair. “Was it Malfoy? Colin? Liz?” he said smirking over at Liz.

Liz noticed his stare and her eyes widened. “I didn't say anything!” she said to him. “I swear! She already knew!”

Harry and Hermione looked back over at Ginny. “How?” Hermione asked at once.

“Well...” Ginny started shying away. “I sort of saw you both last night.”

“Last night?!” Harry and Hermione said in unison. “Where?”

“Erm...over in the changing rooms. You see, I forgot my scarf and I went back to go and get it, and well, you both were on the benches and - ”

“Okay, okay!” Hermione said putting up a hand. “You don't need to go into detail...we were there.” Ginny and Liz were laughing as Ron entered the room.

“What are you all laughing about?” he asked.

“Oh, nothing.” Liz said. “Ginny just caught Harry and Hermione kissing last night.”

“Oh well that's nothing,” said Ron, happy the cat was out of the bag. “I caught them in bed together this morning.”

“RON!” Hermione yelled, hitting him on the head.

“Ouch!” Ron yelped. “Well I did.”

“Yes, but you're making it seem like Harry's some hormonal teenager and I'm a...a - ”

“Scarlet woman.” said Harry.

“Yes, thank you Harry.” Hermione said looking at him a patting him on the leg. “A scarl - WHAT?! HARRY!”

Harry and Ron both laughed.

“Sorry! Sorry!” Harry said as he took a smack in the arm from Hermione. He looked like he was trying with everything in him not to laugh even harder. “I just couldn't resist. You left it wide open Hermione.”

“Yeah Hermione, you did.” said Ron - who was still laughing.

Hermione glared at the both of them for a moment. The laughing stopped.

“Hermione, please don't look at us like that.” said Harry looking over at Ron and then back at Hermione. “It's really terrifying you know.”

“Wow,” Hermione said sardonically. “One minute with Ron, and you're back to normal are you?”

“What's that supposed to mean?” asked Harry.

“You know what I mean.” she said to him now in a hurt, yet seemingly angry voice. “You're back to seeing the brainy, bossy Hermione aren't you.”

Harry was really terrified now, he'd only just started this relationship and he was screwing it up already. “Hermione, I'm sorry.” Looking down on her from the arm of the chair, Hermione looked like she was about to cry. “Come here.” he said standing up and moving in front of her with open arms.

She stood and looked at him with a sad sort of face. Just then, a smug grin began to form on her face until it was an all out smile!

“Ha!” she said, pointing a finger at him. Harry jumped back in surprise.

“What?” he asked very confused.

He could hear Liz and Ginny behind him laughing. Ron stood next to him, quite confused himself.

“You thought I was mad at you.” Hermione said chuckling heartily. “You should have seen your face.” Harry could do nothing but stare at her. Ron was now laughing with Ginny and Liz.

“Yeah mate,” he said. “Your face was pretty classic when you thought you did something wrong!”

“Well how can you blame me, when she gave us that stare?” he said looking at Ron and then around to Ginny and Liz. Hermione came towards him and wrapped him in a hug. She pulled back after a couple of seconds and kissed him sweetly on the cheek.

“Harry I'm sorry...you just left it wide open. And with this new “power” I have over you, I just couldn't resist.”

Harry laughed lightly, relieved that everything was okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The five of them had sat in the common room talking for a little over an hour, when the room began to fill with students. Harry and Hermione quickly left, followed by Liz and Ron, while Ginny stayed behind to talk with her boyfriend, Dean Thomas.

“Hey, where were you earlier?” Harry asked Ron as the four of them walked down a corridor.

“I was in the Owlery with Luna.” Ron said. “We were sending a letter to mum about Christmas. Are you coming this year?”

“Er...I dunno.” Harry said looking in front of him at Hermione - who was walking with Liz and talking about...something. Harry wondered if Hermione would want him to spend Christmas with her. Would he be welcome at her home? He'd never really met her parents. Well, he'd met them, but he didn't know either of them nearly as well as he knew Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. In fact, would Hermione even want him there? Or was she planning on spending Christmas at Hogwarts? Or at the Burrow?

“Hello!” Harry heard Ron say. “Earth to Harry.” Harry snapped out of his thoughts to see Ron waving his hand in front of his face. “What's up mate? You sort of went in a daze.”

“Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about - ”

“Hermione?” Ron said.

“Yeah.”

“Harry, she's right in front of you!”

“I know. I just - ”

“I know what you mean. When me and Luna first started going out, I couldn't stop staring at her or thinking about her every minute of the day.”

“Ron,” Harry said. “You still do that.” Ron shrugged.

“Yeah, but it's great.” he said.

“Where are we going anyway?” Harry asked.

“Dunno, they're leading” Ron said pointing forward at Liz and Hermione. “Hey, have you gotten to know Liz any better?”

“No, not really. But Hermione obviously has. The other day, we were escaping from confrontation...Colin snapped a shot of us kissing and Malfoy...” Harry's fists were now clenching. “He saw me and Hermione holding hands. Anyway, Liz helped us escape and then Hermione gave her a hug and thanked her for some sort of “insight” or something. I dunno what that was all about.”

“Weird.” Ron said, then called up to Hermione and Liz. “Hey, where are we going?”

The two girls stopped so Harry and Ron could catch up. “Well Liz and I were just talking and we need to go and see Professor McGonagal about something.”

“Oh, okay.” Harry said. “Ron and I will just go and play some chess.”

“Alright, I'll see you later tonight.” Hermione said kissing Harry firmly on the lips.

“Ho Ho!” Ron chuckled. “What are you two going to - ”

“Shut up Ron.” Hermione said after pulling away from Harry. Ron backed away and leaned up against the wall as they said their temporary goodbye's.

“Honestly, you two are going to see each other in a couple of hours.” Ron said, checking his imaginary watch. “Come on Harry, they need to go and talk about homework.” Harry and Hermione ignored him. Liz however, shot a suspicious look at him. “You're thinking of going to meet Luna on your way back aren't you?” she asked.

“No.” Ron said a little to quickly. Liz raised an eyebrow at him. “Alright, so what?” Ron said.

Liz only smiled. Finally, Harry and Hermione unlocked their lips once more and went their separate ways.

Liz and Hermione made their way to the Transfiguration classroom. As they walked, Hermione was telling Liz how frustrated she still was over the whole situation. “Liz, I nearly lost it last night. I wish you would just tell him the truth.”

“Hermione, I KNOW how frustrated you are...but you can't tell him. I can't tell him...not yet anyway. Trust me, it will all be out in the open soon. But away from that subject. I'm so happy for you and Harry.”

Hermione couldn't help but smile. “Thank you.” she said. “I love...you're brother a lot.” Liz chuckled at Hermione's words. “Thanks for saying it like that. I know you love him...I can feel it in my heart. Literally.”

They soon arrived at Professor McGonagal's classroom and went inside to find the Professor seated behind her desk, quill in hand, grading papers. “Watch this” Liz whispered to Hermione and elbowing her in the arm.

“Hello Minnie!” she said. Professor McGonagal looked up and gave Liz a face of exasperation.

“Elizabeth, stop it! You know I can't stand that!” she said. Hermione was taken aback for a moment at the sound of Professor McGonagal speaking so blatantly. “Oh, hello Miss Granger.” she said in her normal tone.

“Hello Professor.”

“I take it you and Miss...”

“Potter.” Hermione offered as she had done with Professor Dumbledore.

“Yes. Miss...Potter have become well acquainted?” Professor McGonagal continued.

“Yes.” Hermione answered as Liz took a seat in front of the desk. Hermione felt so nervous as Professor McGonagal motioned for her to sit as well.

“I thought Hermione could talk to you Minerva.” Liz said. “About how to...deal with this. I mean you've known Harry just as long as she has and you might be better able to help her deal with this whole situation.”

Professor McGonagal smiled and nodded then turned to Hermione. “I thought so. Miss Granger, why don't you and I have a talk.” she said warm heartedly. Hermione nodded as Professor McGonagal rose from her chair to take Hermione to her office. Hermione stood up and looked at Liz.

“It'll all be fine.” Liz said to her reassuringly. Hermione could see small tears in her eyes, the eyes that looked so much like Harry's.

“While we're talking Liz, you should go and have a chat with your husband.” Professor McGonagal said. “He floo'd me about an hour ago.

“Oh thanks Minerva.” Liz said, jumping from her seat and giving Professor McGonagal a hug and then looked back at Hermione. “I'll see you in class tomorrow...Miss Granger.” she added with a grin.

“See you...Professor Bright.” Hermione said snickering. Liz left the room to go and have a chat with Charlie. Hermione couldn't imagine being away from Harry as long as Liz had been away from Charlie, and she still had nearly eight months to go. After Liz left, Hermione and Professor McGonagal went to her office to have a much need chat. Well, for Hermione anyway.

Meanwhile, while the two girls were off talking. Harry and Ron had indeed went to see Luna on the way. Harry somehow knew that he and Ron weren't going to get to the Great Hall to play chess, so he excused himself and decided to go up to his room.

He walked up the staircases and into the Head Boy chambers. He threw off his cloak and slipped off his shoes and slumped down on the sofa in the front room. Knowing that he might fall asleep, he cleared his mind as he had become accustomed to doing every night so Voldemort could not somehow slip into his mind. A few minutes later, as he expected, Harry soon dozed off into sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry woke up to the prodding of Hermione. “Harry.” he heard her whisper. “Harry, wake up.” He resisted the urge to open his eyes for a moment while Hermione ran her hands through his hair. Then suddenly he felt her lips on his and his eyes shot open. Hermione let out a little laugh. “I knew you were awake.” she said softly as she sat down beside him.

Harry stretched out his arms and then lowered them to take Hermione's hand in his. “I was having a dream about you.” he said.

“Really?” Hermione asked amused. “What about me?”

“Just your face.” Harry said turning towards her.

“My face?”

“Yeah, just you smiling at me.” Harry couldn't help but smile himself.

“Harry, you don't need a dream.” Hermione said placing a hand on his cheek. “I'm right here. I'm right in front of you...and I have food.” she added happily.

“What?” Harry asked, thoroughly bewildered by the change of mood.

“I brought you dinner.” Hermione said leaning forward to pick up a plate of chicken that was sitting on the table. “I came to check on you earlier and you were fast asleep. I didn't want to wake you, so I just brought you this.”

She handed him the plate and kissed him on the cheek. Harry was extremely grateful that she'd brought him dinner. He hadn't eaten since this morning.

After he finished with his meal he and Hermione sat on the sofa for a while listening to the rain that had started to tap on the window once more. “Hermione?” Harry whispered in her ear.

“Hmm?” Hermione's eyes were drooping as she lay in his arms.

“Can I tell you a secret?”

“Sure.”

“I love you.”

“Harry, that's no secret.” Hermione said smiling, her eyes now shut.

“Alright, it's not. But, I don't have any other `secrets' to tell you.” Harry said as he ran his fingers up and down her arm. “What about you? Do you have any secrets?”

Hermione's eyes shot open, luckily Harry couldn't see them. She felt panicky for a moment, then calmed herself down by thinking about the conversation she had with Professor McGonagal earlier that day. She HAD to keep this secret...no matter what, the truth would be revealed in time.

“No.” Hermione said softly and calmly, yet, she felt an enormous shot of guilt run through her body and break her heart. “No Harry, I have no secrets whatsoever.” She didn't want to think about it, then she finally stopped thinking altogether. The feeling of Harry stroking her arm was extremely soothing, and she finally surrendered to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She woke an hour later, still in Harry's arms. She looked up at the clock to see that it was 1 o'clock in the morning. She eased herself away from Harry and sent him to bed. She couldn't help but smile at the whiney sounds he made as he trudged into his bedroom then collapsed onto the four poster.

Hermione left his room and returned to her own. She was still smiling about Harry and couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going on, when suddenly she remembered. “Duh Hermione!” she thought to herself irritably. “That stupid secret.” She mocked Harry's movements and trudged into her room as he had and flopped on the bed. She pulled a pillow over her face and screamed into it. This had to end soon.

A/N: As you can tell from the title of this chapter, this was a tension builder...it's going to get worse!! :'( Gosh, aren't you starting to hate this `Secret' stuff?

I seriously thought about adding more to this chapter, but when I looked it over it really didn't seem to fit. So I put it in the next one, (which I'm working on now, I might add) so that one should be up fairly soon.

I hope you liked this one. Please review and let me know what you think


-->

12. Secrets From the Past


A/N: **clears throat** **takes a deep breath and says in a dramatic tone** DUN DAHN DUN!!!! ~that's really all I have to say!

Secrets From the Past

The rest of September through November seemed to have flown right by. Hermione had gotten used to playing along in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and played the usual role when it came to being around Liz. Hermione really liked Liz, but she just wished she would tell her the whole truth behind the secrecy. And even with the time that had gone by, Hermione still had not learned the reason why she was told all of this in the first place.

Aside from the secret keeping, life couldn't have been better. She and Harry had been together for nearly two months now and things were going great. They'd come to taking turns sleeping in each other's rooms. Neither, it seemed could be separated for too long before both of them went mad.

Ron had been right. Most of Hogwarts had been extremely relieved that the two of them had finally figured it out and gotten together. They were constantly told that they made wonderful couple. The Gryffindor's were extremely happy. They had seen it coming since the beginning.

It was plain to all who were around them, that it was a pure love would inevitably lead to marriage some day.

Of course, not everyone thought Harry and Hermione were a lovely couple. Those who had read a certain article back in their fourth year, published by none other than the notorious Rita Skeeter, still believed that Hermione had bewitched Harry into loving her somehow. Hermione could care less. She knew the love between herself and Harry was genuine. Harry was hers and she was Harry's. Whatever anyone else thought didn't matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas was now around the corner. Harry was feeling extremely anxious. Should he ask Hermione about staying with her? Or would she come to the Burrow? What about Grimmuald Place? She could come and stay with him and Remus, and the rest of the Order. But maybe she didn't want that. It was out on a Hogsmeade visit that his question was answered. He and Hermione were walking through the village buying their presents for Ron, Ginny, Luna and now Liz. Harry and Hermione bought Ron's gift together, a new Chudley Cannon's T-shirt, some sweets from Honeydukes and a book, Quidditch Tips and Broomsticks, and they got Liz a magical snow globe of Hogwarts that showed it's current state. Students could be seen running through the snow in front of the castle. They'd also combined their money and gotten Ginny a full year's subscription to Witch Weekly (Ginny liked those sort of magazines) and some sweets as well. Luna...Luna was a hard person to shop for.

“D'you want to buy her's together as well?” Harry asked Hermione while she inspected a quill. Hermione had insisted they go to Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop for some new quills. “Yeah, that's fine.” she said absent mindedly.

“Hermione, why are you buying new quills?” Harry asked. “What happened to those new quills Ron got you for your birthday?”

“Oh, those. Nothing...” Hermione said in an unusually nervous voice. Harry looked at her for a moment before she caved. “Alright, Crookshanks decided to play with them...and well now they're completely destroyed...and I couldn't tell Ron. I really love them and Ron hates Crookshanks...I just can't tell him that their ruined and - ”

Harry could see she was on the brink of tears.

“Hermione, it's okay, it's okay.” he said, wrapping his arms around her and rubbed her back reassuringly. “Ron doesn't hate Crookshanks and I'm sure he'd understand.” But Hermione continued to cry.

“Look, I was with him when he bought them, they're over there in the corner...why don't I go and get them for you? He'll never know.”

Hermione nodded into his shoulder and pulled away to look at him. “I'm sorry I'm being such a crybaby.” she said brushing her tears away with her hands. “Okay.” she managed and they went to purchase the quills.

After leaving Scrivenshaft's, Hermione composed herself and led Harry into the Three Broomsticks. They ordered two butterbeers and seated themselves cozily in the corner.

“Harry,” Hermione said, staring at her butterbeer. “There's something I want to ask you.”

“Whoa! Deja Vu.” Harry chuckled. Hermione let a smile spread across her face.

“There's the smile I love.” Harry said kissing her on the nose. “What's wrong Hermione?”

“Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to ask you about Christmas.”

“Oh, here it is...” Harry thought. “She's going to say - ”

“Harry, mum and dad want you to come for Christmas.” Hermione blurted out.

Really?” Harry asked in shock. “They want me to spend Christmas with you all?”

“What? You don't want to spend Christmas with us all?” Hermione asked in a slightly hurt voice. “Well, of course if you don't want to. I mean you've always spent Christmas at the Burrow except for when Sirius - Oh my! Harry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to - ”

“Hermione! Calm down please. I would love to spend Christmas with you and your parents.”

“Really?”

“Yes...I've been wondering about that actually.” Harry said, taking her hand in his. “I mean, I didn't know whether or not I should ask...I mean that would be really rude, and I didn't know if you wanted to spend Christmas at Gimmuald Place with the Order...that would be really boring for you...and I know you wanted to see your parents and - ”

“Harry!” Hermione said, stopping him mid sentence and pressing her lips against his.

“It's settled. You're coming home with me for Christmas.”

Harry threw her a killer smile and kissed her back.

By the end of the day, Harry was as giddy as a schoolboy, he couldn't believe that he was going to spend Christmas with Hermione...alone...well, not completely alone. They'd walked through Hogsmeade and decided to give Luna a book they'd found: The Never Ending Additions to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The book had a spell placed on it that magically updated the book whenever new creatures were discovered. The Crumple Horned Snorkack was the most recent to be added. Harry and Hermione knew she would love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They returned to the castle and were both startled when Colin Creevey popped out of nowhere.

“Hiya Harry!” he said in his usual enthusiastic manner. “Hi Hermione.”

“Hi Colin. What's up?” Harry said.

“Oh, I just wanted to give both of you this.” he said as he handed them a medium-sized package.

“What is it?” Hermione asked.

“Open it.” said Colin, waving his hands as if it were going to make them unwrap it faster.

Harry and Hermione sat down on the stone steps to the entrance of the castle and began to unwrap Colin's gift. As the last piece of wrapping paper was removed, Hermione let out as gasp and then squealed.

“Oh, this is wonderful!” she said, standing up to give Colin a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Wow Colin, this is amazing!” Harry said as he stood to pat Colin on the back.

“I was hoping you'd both like them. There's two there, one for each of you.” Colin said, relieved that they had been so pleased with his gift.

“Colin, we love them! Thank you so much!” Hermione said giving him another hug.

“You're welcome.” he said. “Well, I've got to go now, I have some more gifts to wrap. So, I'll see you two later.”

“Oh, right. Thanks again Colin! This really is great.” Harry said. Colin gave them both another smile and walked away, leaving Harry and Hermione gazing at their new gift.

They walked upstairs and went straight into Harry's study. Hermione set down one of the two beautiful frames that Colin had given them. Both of which contained the picture he had taken of them two months prior.

“It really is beautiful” Hermione said as she gazed at the memory.

“Yeah, you really are beautiful.” Harry said behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Smooth Harry!” She said as she turned around to look at him. “Very smooth.” Harry leaned down and kissed her. “I know I am.” he said.

They moved into the bedroom collapsed on the bed.

“I'm beat.” Harry said as he rubbed his temples.

“Me too.” Hermione sighed. “But, I've got to go and send that owl to Mum and Dad. They'll be really happy your coming Harry.”

Harry reached next to him to grab Hermione's hand. “Thank you, Hermione.” he said. “I can't tell you how excited I am.” Hermione gave him a smile and squeezed his hand. “I'm glad. Mum and Dad have been so anxious to meet you.”

“But I've already met them.” Harry said raising an eyebrow at her.

Hermione let out a laugh and rolled over next to him. “I know Harry, but now you'll be meeting them as my boyfriend...”

“Oh.” Was all Harry could say. Was that the only reason they wanted him over for Christmas?

Hermione seemed to have read his mind.

“No, that's not the only reason they want you over.” she said, patting him on the chest. “They want you there because they know I love you, and they know that I want you there.” She rolled on top of him and kissed him firmly. “I love you so much, and I just want our first Christmas together to be perfect. And,” she said briskly, “I think Mum is a bit relieved that you and I finally hooked up. She won't say it, but I know she gets really tired of me jabbering on about you all summer.”

Harry couldn't stop the smiles that kept forming on his face. “I love you Hermione. This is going to be a wonderful Christmas.” Hermione kissed him once again, then rolled off of him to stand up. “I'm going to go and send that letter now. I'm just going to leave these things here for now.” she said pointing at their purchases.

“Sounds good.” said Harry, still smiling.

Hermione gave him a tiny wink and left the room leaving Harry grinning to himself.

He sighed and whispered into the air. “God, I love her!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, Harry and Hermione were lying in Hermione's bed. It was her turn to share tonight. When they had first begun this ritual, Harry thought Hermione would have had a lot more objections to them sleeping together every night. He thought she would worry about getting caught or something. After all, they were Head Girl and Head Boy...they were expected to act as such. And both of them sleeping together was definitely not proper Head Boy/Head Girl behavior. To Harry's surprise, Hermione wasn't worried at all. For Hermione, her lack of worry was only because a certain teacher already knew. She and Liz had become close over the past two months. However, Hermione was still constantly frustrated that the secret couldn't be let out yet.

The next few days flew by and before they knew it, Harry and Hermione were boarding the Hogwarts Express to visit Hermione's parents for Christmas. Ron, who was going to spend Christmas with Luna and her father, was quite relieved when Harry and Hermione told him that they were off to have a muggle Christmas with Hermione's parents.

“Are you going to visit your mum?” Harry had asked Liz while on the journey to Kings Cross.

“Er...yeah I am. I can't wait to see her. I miss her so much!” Liz had told him.

They finally entered Kings Cross Station and were saying their “see you soon's”. Just before going through the barrier that separated the muggle station from Platform 9 3/4, Hermione broke away from Harry for a moment to say goodbye to Liz. She gave her a hug and whispered, “I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Say hello to your “mother” when you get there.”

“I will.” Liz said pulling away. “You and Harry have a wonderful Christmas...I'm so happy for the both of you.”

Hermione went to rejoin Harry and slipped her hand in his. “Ready?” she asked him.

“Yep.” Harry said, and they walked through the barrier to be greeted by Hermione's parents.

“Hermione!” her mother called out to her.

“Mum! Dad!” Hermione squealed, holding tight to Harry's hand and racing toward them.

She ran and threw herself into her mother's arms. Harry watched as she held onto her mother. “Merry Christmas Mum.” she said. Then she let go and did the same with her father.

Finally letting go, she took Harry by the hand again and led him towards her parents. “Hello Harry.” Mrs. Granger said. Hermione edged him closer until her mother enveloped Harry into a hug. “It's great to have you for Christmas.”

“It's great to be here.” Harry said as she pulled away. “I can't thank you enough for letting me stay with you.”

“Oh think nothing of it.” Mr. Granger chimed in shaking Harry's hand. “Anything for the love of Hermione's life. At least that's what she calls you in her letters.”

“Dad!” Hermione screeched.

“Sorry sweetie!” her father said chuckling. “But I think he already knows that he's the love of your life. Don't you Harry?” he added turning to Harry.

“I hope I am, sir.” said Harry, smiling at Hermione. “Because she's the love of my life.”

Hermione's cheeks turned a violent shade of pink as she reached for Harry and hugged him tightly. “You are Harry!” she whispered in his ear. Harry said things like this all of the time. But for him to say it to her parents was something on another level. She loved it. “You are the love of my life.”

Hermione's parents stood silently to the side as they watched the two of them whisper “I love you's” back and forth until finally ushering them to the car.

The drive to Hermione's house was short, yet it seemed to take forever for Harry. He was so excited. Hermione caught him nervously twiddling his thumbs and placed a hand on his to calm him down. “We're almost there Harry.” she said, leaning her head on his shoulder.

Before Harry knew it, he had arrived at the home of the Granger's. It was a beautiful townhouse. Harry's face was pressed up against the glass in anticipation. He looked like a little kid in front of a toy shop. Harry stared at the beautiful home before him. A rod iron fence encompassed the yard, and was accented by beautiful red roses. And just when Harry thought it couldn't get any better, it began to snow.

“Roses in the winter?” Harry asked turning to Hermione. “I put a small charm on them...” she said shrugging. “I love seeing them in the snow!”

“Welcome to our home.” Mr. Granger said graciously as he opened the door for Harry and Hermione to step out of the car.

“You're house is beautiful.” Harry said.

“Thank you dear.” Hermione's mother said as Mr. Granger held out a hand for her to get out of the car.

Harry stepped out of the car and did the same for Hermione. She smiled at him and took his hand. “Thank you.” she said. As Mrs. Granger stepped out of the car, Mr. Granger went to the trunk to unload their things. Harry went to help.

“No, no son.” Mr. Granger protested. “You are our guest Harry. Why don't you and Hermione go on into the house and she can show you around.

“I'll be in to put some tea on , shortly.” Mrs. Granger said.

Harry just couldn't wait to get through the front door. Hermione noticing his anticipation, took hold of his hand and led him towards the house and through the entry way. As Harry stepped inside he felt the warm atmosphere of love all around him. It was a hard feeling to describe. He could somehow sense happiness all throughout this house.

“Well, what do you think?” Hermione squealed beside him.

“It' amazing Hermione.” Harry said. “It's really beautiful.”

“Thank you.” Mrs. Granger said as she strolled into the house after Mr. Granger. “Hermione, stop blocking the entry way and go ahead and show Harry around the house now.”

“Right!” Hermione said gleefully. She gripped Harry's hand tighter and led him all through the house.

After going through the entire house and settling in, Harry and Hermione ended up in the family room. They were now putting up decorations and putting ornaments on the bare tree. Hermione's parents always waited for Hermione to come home before they put up decorations.

Harry was enjoying the experience thoroughly.

At the end of the day, Harry and Hermione were sitting on the sofa in the family room, just talking. They'd fallen asleep on the sofa - again. It felt so natural to just hold each other and drift off into sleep. It had happened so many a time and they were so used to it, that when Hermione awoke in the middle of the night, she didn't even want to go upstairs to sleep in her own bed. She was perfectly content in Harry's arms.

They secretly slept like this the rest of the week, waking early in the morning to creep into their separate rooms before Hermione's parents woke. By the end of the week, it was Christmas Eve. Both Harry and Hermione slept in their separate rooms that night.

On Christmas morning, Harry woke to Hermione tugging on his arm.

“Come on sleepy head. It's Christmas.” She kissed Harry good morning and then ran down the stairs into the family room where the Christmas tree stood.

Harry stayed in bed for a moment, just to savor the memory or Hermione just a few moments ago. He smiled to himself and then got up. He walked down the stairs to the family room, where he knew Hermione was. When he got there, he could see the beautiful gifts lying under the tree. Hermione's parents were in the kitchen preparing tea and Hermione was beaming at Harry, holding up a Christmas present.

“Here you go Harry.” she said, handing him the gift. “Open it.”

Harry took the small box from her and unwrapped it to reveal shimmering silver ball. “What is it?” Harry asked as he examined it closer.

“It's a promise.” Hermione said. Harry raised an eyebrow at her. “A promise? How do you mean?”

“It's literally a promise, Harry.” Hermione said. “You see, inside this ball, resides the most important promise I've ever made to you. When the promise is fulfilled, the ball turns a different color.”

“Really? And what's this promise you've made me?” Harry asked.

“You'll just have to wait until that thing turns colors.” Hermione said. Harry smiled at her.

“This is great Hermione. I love it.” he said before kissing her.

“And now...you're present.” Harry lifted up a tiny box in front of Hermione's face.

“For me?!” Hermione squealed.

“Well yeah,” Harry said rolling his eyes at her. “I couldn't just get you nothing.”

Hermione sat down on the sofa and opened up the box. Inside was a beautiful sapphire necklace. The chain was as fine as thread and the stone more blue than anything that she had ever seen. On either side of the sapphire, it was accented with tiny little diamonds.

“Harry!” Hermione gasped. “You, you can't give this to me! This is too much.” she said pushing the necklace into Harry's hands.

“No,” said Harry, pushing the necklace back into her hands. “I'm pretty sure this was my mother's necklace. I found it in my Gringott's vault and I wanted you to have it.”

“But Harry - ”

“Hermione, look, there's only going to be two women in my life. My mother and you. I wanted you to have this, you're the love of my life My family.” he said kissing her softly.

“Harry...you shouldn't have...thank you.”

Christmas Day went on without a hitch. Harry and Hermione spent the day outside making a snowman while Hermione's parents watched them fondly. Harry had gotten each of them new watches and `Thank You' cards expressing his gratitude for their hospitality; also adding a `Thanks' for raising the most amazing woman he had ever met. It was too soon for Harry that their holiday was over. Before he knew it, he and Hermione were sitting with Ron, Luna, Ginny and Liz on the Hogwarts Express back to school.

“How was your Christmas you two?” Ron asked Harry and Hermione as he hugged Luna close to him.

“It was perfect.” Harry answered as he smiled at Hermione. “How about the two of you?”

“It was great!” Ron said.

“He and Daddy did a lot of bonding.” Luna whispered to Hermione, who started chuckling.

“What about you Liz?”

“Oh me? I had a great time with my...mum. Yeah, I really missed her a lot.”

“And how about you Ginny?” Harry asked.

“Oh it was good.” Ginny replied. “Fred and George bewitched the cranberries to dance during Christmas dinner...it was hilarious.

The compartment erupted in laughter, and they continued to talk the rest of the journey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Home again.” Hermione said flopping down on the sofa in the Head Boy chambers.

“Hermione, `home' is that lovely place back in London with your parents.” Harry said in disbelief. “How could you not consider that home?”

Hermione laughed and pulled Harry down to her side. “Harry, I do consider that my home. Always and forever.” she said. “But, you know we've spent a great part of our lives living here at Hogwarts...it's a second home to me...you know.”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “I know what you mean.”

Hermione left him a little while later to go and write her parents and let them know that they had returned safely. When she returned, she found Harry fast asleep. It was nearly dinner time, Hermione just couldn't bring herself to wake him. He looked so peaceful. She decided to leave him be.

Later that night. Harry woke to the rumbling of his stomach. He looked to his side and saw that Hermione was not beside him. He checked every room in his chambers and could not find her. He became worried as he began to rummage through his trunk for the Marauder's Map. He walked over to his bedside table, picked up his wand and tapped it to the piece of parchment, saying: “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” The blank piece of parchment instantly began to reveal it's secrets. Harry searched the map for Hermione's name but instead his eyes fell upon something he did not expect to see at all. His eyes fell instead a name that baffled him. “Who's Elizabeth Potter?” he asked himself aloud. He looked up and removed his glasses to clean them, maybe he was seeing things. When he returned his glasses to his face he received yet another shock. There on the parchment next to this Elizabeth Potter, was the name Hermione Granger. “Hermione?” Harry said aloud again. They were both located in the kitchens. “Why are they in the kitchens?” Fearing for Hermione's safety (after all, who knew who this Elizabeth Potter was...and why did she have Harry's name?) he quickly pulled out his Invisibility Cloak and headed down swiftly and quietly to the kitchens. He checked the map almost every five seconds, just to make sure that the two of them were still there.

He finally reached the large portrait that guarded the kitchens and tickled the pear that lay in the large bowl full of fruit. The pear let out a giggle and the portrait door swung open quietly. Not sure who he would find with Hermione on the other side of the door, Harry crept into the kitchens slowly. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw next.

There next to Hermione was Liz...not Elizabeth Potter, but Elizabeth Halsey. Harry hadn't even thought of putting two and two together. He was still under the Invisibility Cloak, so neither of the girls could see him. He heard them both talking...

What was that Liz just said?” Harry questioned himself. He listened to hear them better.

“I really had a wonderful Christmas!” Liz said. “I honestly don't know how I've stayed away from Charlie for so long.”

“Really?” Hermione asked as she took a plate of crackers from Dobby.

“Thank you Dobby.” she said. “I couldn't imagine being away from Harry as long as you stay away from Charlie. I heard Fred and George went out there to see you. They seem to be doing pretty well to travel all the way to Romania.”

“Charlie? Fred and George?” Harry thought. “How does Liz know about them? WHAT'S GOING ON?”

“See, I told you Hermione!” Liz said clapping her hands together. “I told you that he loved you.”

“What is she talking about?”

“Yes, you were right.” Hermione said, pausing for a moment to look at Liz. “Liz, I know you're tired of me asking, but when are you going to tell him? Sometimes I can't even sleep at night knowing that I have this secret locked up inside of me.” Harry was confused. What secret? What was Hermione not telling him. He continued to listen to them as they walked passed him and out into the dark corridor.

“Hermione, I know it's hard. But like I've said before in time - ”

“Yes, yes...the truth will be revealed.” Hermione said, rather annoyed. “When is that time though?”

“Soon. I promise. Hang on.” Liz said as she raised her wand. “Lumos.” she muttered quietly. “Hold my wand for a second while I change.”

“Change?” Harry thought. “Change what?” He received his answer immediately when he saw Liz toss her hair and change it from the dark wavy locks that they were into a dirty blonde color. Harry watched as her face was somehow rearranging itself and she grew a few inches in height. Liz had just transfigured into Professor Bright.

“What the -“

“Does that hurt? I've never thought to ask Tonks before.” Harry heard Hermione say.

“Well, it felt weird at first, but when I got the hang of it...it felt normal. Tonks, believe it or not, got the hang of it before I did.” Liz, rather Professor Bright answered.

“Tonks?”

Harry couldn't believe what he was seeing. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Why was Hermione down her with whoever this was? Why hadn't she told him about this? He stood a few steps behind them as they began to walk down the corridor.

“Oh, wait.” Hermione said, grabbing Professor Bright's arm. “You forgot to change your eyes.”

“Thanks.” she said. “I swear these eyes are a curse and a blessing.”

“I know what you mean.” Hermione said. “Every time I see them I can see Harry.”

Harry stood, staring at them more confused than before. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“Yeah,” Professor - Liz said. “It's funny. I can look into my orb and see my dad taking pictures of us. He'd always say that he was happy that Harry and I got our mother's eyes, but he was especially glad that Harry was starting to look like him.”

Hermione laughed. Harry nearly collapsed.

“I don't know how he could tell though.” Liz - Professor Bright continued. “I mean, Harry was only a year old.

“Well,” Hermione said. “Harry definitely looks like your father...from the pictures I've seen. And with those green eyes, it's so easy to tell that you're brother and sister.”

“Molly says that all the time, Dumbledore too; and Sirius used to tell me every day.”

Harry nearly stopped breathing. His mind went chaotic. “Professor Dumbledor?! Mrs. Weasley? Sirius? They know? He knew? They never told me? But this is impossible...I don't have a - a sister.” The idea of the whole thing was hilarious to Harry at first, then it finally settled into realization. The shock that ran through Harry's veins passed by quickly and turned into anger. He could feel his temper rising and all he wanted to do was scream. “Why didn't anyone tell me this? What the hell is going on?” Harry felt like throwing something, but there was nothing. He was breathing hard now and was frustrated with all sorts of emotions flowing over him. He just couldn't think straight.

“Wait!” Liz said to Hermione.

“What is it” Hermione asked.

Still under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry inched closer to try and hear what they were talking about now.

“Shhh...Harry's hear.” said Liz.

“What! How do you know?” Hermione said as quietly as possible.

“Because I can feel him.” said Liz in a trembling voice. “He's here. He knows.”

“But how...oh...he's under the cloak.”

Hermione turned around and began to grab at the air. Harry backed away from her. He couldn't even bare to look at Hermione right now. And he didn't even want to chance a glance over at Liz “whatever-her-name-was”.

“Harry!” Hermione called out to him. “Harry, I know you're there.”

“I can't believe you Hermione. I can't believe you kept this from me.” Harry whispered darkly into the air, still under the Invisibility Cloak. His back was toward Hermione and he walked away feeling his temper rise.

“Harry, wait! Please...” Hermione pleaded.

But Harry had already gone.

Liz walked up and down the corridor, trying to sense any of his emotions. “Nothing.” she said. “Hermione he's gone.”

“Well we have to look for him!” Hermione nearly shouted. “We have to go after him! He shouldn't have found out this way!” She was having trouble breathing now. “We can't - can't - and he's - ”

“Hermione!” Liz said yanking Hermione towards her. “Listen to me, we have to go and tell Professor Dumbledore. I need you to calm down and pull yourself together.”

“Okay.” Hermione managed, and they set off to Dumbledore's office.

Meanwhile, Harry had run up to the Astronomy Tower to think. No one would find him here, he thought. He sat outside on the roof and watched as snow began to fall. His thoughts were jumbled. In his mind, he was confused, and in his heart, he was hurt.

“This is impossible.” he muttered to himself. “I - I would know if I had a sister. But it must be true if everyone knows about it. Everyone, except, of course...me!” He could feel hot prickly anger surge through him. How could no one have told him. Would it have been so damn difficult to pull him aside for one moment and mention to him that he had a sister? But what bothered him most of all was Hermione. He felt betrayed by everyone, but especially her. She'd obviously known for quite some time now. Harry was finding it difficult not to be angry with her. He thought about it for a moment. He was definitely furious with her. “How could she not tell me!” he bellowed into the night. His breathing became erratic as he cursed everyone he could think of.

The night dragged on, Harry continued to dwell on what he had just discovered.

Liz, Hermione, Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagal had been searching for Harry for hours.

As the morning light crept through the winter clouds, Harry awoke half frozen. He'd fallen asleep on the roof of the Astronomy Tower, crying over his anger and frustration, over the secrets and lies. He pulled his Invisibility Cloak over him and decided to go for a walk.

Just as he was walking down the stairs, Hermione ran right past him, brushing his shoulder and knocking off the cloak.

“Harry!” she gasped. “Where have you been? We've all been looking for you since last night! Harry, I'm so sorry! I never - ”

“What?” Harry shouted. “You never expected me to find out? You were just going to keep this from me forever were you?”

“No! Harry, I - I wanted to - ”

“You know what Hermione? Just save it!” Harry yelled at her. “You - you were the person I trusted most in this entire world. You're my girlfriend, the love of my life! AND YOU'VE BEEN KEEPING THIS FROM ME!!”

Hermione was in tears, pleading with him to listen, though she knew she'd never get through to him.

Harry glowered at her and shook his head. “I - I can't even think straight. I just - I can't even look at you right now!” Harry spat as he walked off, leaving Hermione in tears.

Harry left the Astronomy Tower and went into another deserted classroom to think once again. Harry wanted answers desperately, but he just couldn't face those who had been keeping this secret...this secret from the past.

As the day went by, Harry became further agitated. Keeping under his Invisibility Cloak, he remained a recluse, his solitude being his one companion.

It wasn't until around midday when Harry walked out of the empty classrooms. He was surprised no one had found him yet. “Maybe it's another one of Dumbledore's ideas. They're trying to lure me out or something...” Harry pulled off his cloak and started to walk towards his room when Ron came running up behind him.

“Harry!” Ron called out.

“Damn.”

“Harry wait up. Everyone's been looking for you!”

“Oh to share some more of their secrets?” Harry snarled. “Tell them all to - ”

“It's Hermione.” Ron said, interrupting Harry.

“Well, she can just - ”

“Harry,” Ron said gulping. “She's gone.”

A/N: I'm going to be horrible and leave you all hanging here! It's not that I want to, it's just that it's such a great place to end it...for me anyway, it makes for a smoother transition into the next chapter! So, I guess I do want to! Sorry! I've got more coming for ya!

I hope you all enjoyed this...even though in Harry's case it's pretty horrible!

Please, please let me know what you think!

If you find any errors, please let me know...I was very tired when I posted this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terri: Thanks for staying up so late to push me! I don't think this would have been posted until Tuesday if you hadn't! LOL! I'm so slow! Maybe I should send you unfinished chapters more often! LOL! Anyway, thanks! I'm going to bed now, the Pixie Stix don't last long!


-->

13. He's Taken Her


A/N: I give partial credit for this chapter to H_HrFan for helping me with this! Terri, thanks AGAIN! I never would have gotten it up if it weren't for you. Well, I would have, but it wouldn't have been nearly as good! Thanks!

I am SO sorry it took me ages to get this chapter up. I just couldn't seem to write this week. Don't ask me why. But now it's up, and I hope you all like this one. It's so different from the other chapters. I mean, there's just so much more happening.

Anyway, here it is:

He's Taken Her

“What do you mean `gone'?” Harry asked.

Ron looked very upset. “Harry, I mean...V-Voldemort has her.”

“WHAT!” The words just seem to rush over him and he hadn't really comprehended them.

“What did you say?” he asked slowly, hoping Ron wouldn't say what he thought he just heard.

“Harry,” Ron answered at the same pace. “Voldemort - has - Hermione.”

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN VOLDEMORT HAS HERMIONE?” Harry bellowed, his voice carrying down the corridor. “HE CAN'T HAVE HER! I JUST SAW HER THIS MORNING!”

“There was a raid this morning! Death Eaters came out of nowhere and almost all of the Slytherins are gone.”

“What!” Harry shouted. “Who?”

“Malfoy, Crabbe, Golyle, Nott...Anyone who's dad's a Death Eater basically!”

“And they didn't take anyone else? Just Hermione?” Harry asked quickly.

“No.” Ron said sadly. “Just her. Everyone is crowded in the Great Hall with most of the teachers, and Dumbledore's had everyone else out to look for you. We need to go and find him now, so we can find Hermione.”

Very reluctantly, Harry let his anger towards everyone slip away for the time being. Getting Hermione back now was what was important. He couldn't be angry with her now. He couldn't bear to think of those last words he had said to her. What if Voldemort hurt her? What if - no! Harry would not think that. Hermione was strong. He knew that, he knew she would fight for her life.

Harry and Ron raced down the corridors to Dumbledore's office, where they found him waiting for them.

“Professor! I - found - him.” said Ron panting and trying to catch his breath.

“Thank you Mr. Weasley.” Dumbledore said with his naturally calm voice.

“What do we need to go into your office for?!” Harry yelled, feeling all his anger return. “We can talk right here!”

“Harry, listen, I know that you're upset about the truth you discovered last night and it will all be explained once we get into my office.” said Dumbledore stepping onto the spiral staircase. Harry and Ron followed.

“Look, I don't care about that right now!” shouted Harry as they entered Dumbledore's office. “All I want to know is what's happened to Hermione!”

“Harry, calm down please - ” said Dumbledore before Harry interrupted.

Calm? How am I supposed to be calm when Voldemort's got my girlfriend?!” Harry felt all of his pent - up frustration come out in a loud roar. “HE'S GOT HER! What if - I mean, how do you even know it's Voldemort who's got her.

“There was a note.” Ron said shakily.

“A note?” Harry said, glancing back and forth between Ron and Dumbledore. “What note?”

Professor Dumbledore reached into the pocket of his robes and pulled out a small piece of parchment.

“Harry,” he said. “When you read this, you must know that this is not going to be what you expected. Harry took the note from him and lowered his eyes to read it.

Harry Potter,

Guess who! You've undoubtedly noticed that your precious mudblood girlfriend is gone. By the time you receive this letter, I will have gone too, to join the Dark Lord.

“Wait,” Harry said looking up quite confused. “This letter isn't from Voldemort.”

“Keep reading Harry.” Dumbledore said.

Harry lowered his eyes back down to the parchment and continued on.

I am going to give you some instructions now. You MUST follow these instructions!

If you don't, your precious mudblood will die.

First, you must go to the Slytherin common room. The password is `Incontaminatus'.

“Typical.” Harry muttered under his breath and then read on.

Then you must go the fireplace, the fire will be lit. Grab the burning log.

“What!” Harry yelped, looking back up at Dumbledore and then at Ron.

“What is it?” Ron asked.

“Hang on.” Harry said to him, returning to the letter.

The log is a Portkey and will take you to a secret location. Don't worry about the burns. Pain is a small price Potter. Think you can handle it?

Come alone.

See you soon...scarhead.

Just then, Harry's scar began to sear in pain. He dropped the letter and it burst into flames.

“What was that?” Ron demanded, looking at Harry and then at Dumbledore.

“Malfoy.” Harry said furiously through clenched teeth.

“What? What about Malfoy?” Ron asked perplexed.

“He took Hermione to Voldemort!” Harry shouted. “He took her to him!”

Harry wheeled around to look at Professor Dumbledore. “I've have to go after here!” Harry said quickly, pressing his hand hard up against his scar. He ran towards the door, but before he could even get to it, Professor Bright (in Ron's view anyway) had just walked in.

Harry stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her. She did the same.

The two of them stared intently at one another. “Harry...” she said, then looked over to Professor Dumbledore.

Harry looked at Liz. "I don't have time for you right now."

"But Harry wait I..." Liz began.

"I've lived without you and the truth for 16 years, a few more hours sure as hell won't hurt anything," he said angrily.

Ron looked from Harry to Liz trying to decipher what was happening between them. "Harry, what's going on? What's Professor Bright got to do with anything?"

Harry looked at Ron in mock surprise. "What? You mean you don't know?" he said, making no attempt to hide his sarcasm. He looked at Liz and said, "What? You mean forgot to tell someone other than me?"

"Harry that's not what happened," Liz said desperately, "You have to let me explain."

Harry's anger rose higher and it looked as though he was on the verge of exploding. "I don't. have to listen. To a damn. Thing. You. Say..." he growled through clenched teeth. He turned his attention to Dumbledore before he continued, "Voldemort has already taken my parents and Sirius. HE CANNOT HAVE HERMIONE! The only thing I have to do is save her."

Dumbledore sighed audibly but held Harry's angry gaze steadily. "Harry you mustn't..."

Harry's anger exploded. "What I mustn't or must do is no longer your concern," he said vehemently, "I'm leaving with or without your consent."

"I'm going with you, Harry," Ron said.

Harry turned to look at him and his anger lightened slightly as he looked at his friend's scared, yet determined face. "No Ron, you're not," he said in a soft, firm voice.

Ron looked at him in shock. They always did things together and he was determined not to let Harry go alone. "Yes Harry, I am," he replied in the same firm tone Harry had used.

Harry looked at Liz. "You know what, you want to do some explaining?" he asked. Liz closed her eyes and slowly nodded her head; she knew what was coming next. "Well explain it to Ron, then. That way both my best friends will know all the secrets involving me that even I don't know."

"Harry, I..." Liz began.

"Save it," Harry said putting his hand in the air. He pointed toward Ron and said, "Keep him here and tell him your story. It'll save me having to do it later. I'm leaving."

"I don't wanna stay Harry," Ron said, "I wanna go with you. I love her too, you know."

Harry turned to look at him one last time. "I know you do, Ron. But follow me and I swear I'll do a binding curse to keep you here," he threatened. "I'm going alone." He looked around at each of them in turn expecting another argument. When no one said a word he looked at Dumbledore, "...and I'm going now," he added with quiet conviction.

The last thing he heard as he stepped through the door was Dumbledore saying, "Sit down Mr. Weasley, let him go."

Liz, Ron and Professor Dumbledore all watched as Harry left. Dumbledore soon ushered Ron to a seat in front of his large desk and told him to wait there. Liz was still standing next to the door, staring blankly at the eagle statue that stood in the middle of the stairwell. Dumbledore came to stand next to her.

“I can't do this anymore.” she whispered as tears trickled down her face. “I don't know how much more I can take.”

Dumbledore put a comforting hand on her shoulder and turned her towards him. “Elizabeth, I know this is difficult for you.” he said. “It pains me to see him walk into something I know I can do nothing to prevent, into something you and I both know will happen. More importantly, must happen.”

Liz looked away from him as he spoke. “Waiting can be the hardest part. You know that.” Dumbledore said. “In the end, all will be right.” Liz lifted her gaze back to him. “I know.” she said. “I know that Albus. It's just that, I wish they didn't have to go through so much pain.”

“Nor I.” Dumbledore said as tears crept out of the corners of his eyes. “Nor I.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry raced down several corridors trying to remember where the Slytherin common room was. He'd been there only once, during his second year, and had never wished to return until now. When his memory finally came to him, he made a sharp left turn at the next corner and ran down to where he remembered the common room was.

Finally there, Harry shouted the password at the portrait that guarded the entrance and ran to the fireplace. Many Slytherins were yelling and screaming at him.

“What are you doing in here?” They were shouting.

Harry simply ignored them and stared into the fire. He hesitated only for a moment.

“This is gonna hurt.”

Then he reached out and grabbed the burning log. Instantly he felt a sharp tug behind his navel as he was whirled to his unknown destination.

He slammed down on the ground hard and quickly released the burning log. His flesh was burnt badly and it stung severely. In the distance he could hear laughter. Then, a familiar voice echoed in the distance. Harry looked around. Where was he? All he saw around him was an empty field. But behind the fog that covered the ground, Harry was sure he saw a village.

“Betcha that one hurt! Didn't it scarhead?” said a voice in the distance.

Harry looked up to see...Malfoy. He was standing proud and tall with a fresh Dark Mark burned into his forearm and he holding a staff. Malfoy noticed Harry staring at the Mark and walked towards him.

“Like it Potter?” he said sneeringly. “Pretty cool huh?”

Harry got to his feet. “Going to fight me are you Potter?” Malfoy asked as he began to circle around Harry.

“I'm going to kill you!” Harry said darkly.

“Ho ho!” Malfoy said laughing. “You just try. The Dark Lord has given you to me. For the time being anyway, you know...to torture you a bit.”

Harry glared at him and reached for his wand.

“Uh uh Potter.” Malfoy said waving his wand back and forth and shaking his head. He set down his staff and walked closer to Harry. “You don't want to suffer like your precious mudblood girlfriend do you?”

That did it. Harry was laughing in his head. Malfoy didn't stand a chance. What the hell was Voldemort even thinking sending out Malfoy?

Harry had hit Malfoy with a curse so quick, he wasn't even sure how he did it. Malfoy was sent flying backward, screaming in agony. Harry made to run away...anywhere. He needed to find Hermione.

“Couldn't kill me could you Potter?” Malfoy yelled from behind. Just as Harry turned around, he saw Malfoy running at him. Before he knew it, Malfoy had slammed him into the ground. They had their second muggle duel. Harry was throwing punches left and right and soon Malfoy was spraying blood all over him. Malfoy, like the coward he was, managed to get up to his feet and started running.

Harry scrambled to his feet and bolted towards Malfoy. Jumping on him he crushed him to the ground. Harry rolled him over and hit him square in the nose with his fist. Malfoy let out a cry of pain as Harry got up and grabbed Malfoy's staff. He was ready to hit him with it when once again felt that horrible jolt behind his navel and was transported to a dark place. He landed on his side and felt that the floor was damp and cold. The smell of rotting mold was all around him.

“Another Portkey?” he thought. “What the - ? Where am I?”

His hand was still searing with pain from the first one. He scrambled around to find his glasses which had flown off of his face upon impact. Quickly finding them, he placed them back and his face. He finally managed to rip off a piece of his robes and gently wrap it around his burnt flesh. He then stood up and looked around to try and find a shred of light.

Nothing.

Just pure blackness.

He moved in the darkness, trying to find a wall or something to latch onto. After what felt like an endless number of uncertain steps, Harry found himself against a wall that felt mossy. He eased his way to the left, holding onto the wall until his foot kicked what sounded like his wand. He dropped to his knees and began to grope around the ground until his hand landed on what felt like his wand.

“Lumos.” he said. The light appeared and he suddenly realized that this was not his wand at all. It was Hermione's. Through his despondency, Harry felt a twinge of hope. He lowered Hermione's wand to the floor and searched quickly for his own.

Finally locating it, Harry explored the room further until he heard someone crying in the darkness. He rushed toward the sound and was horrified to find Hermione chained to the wall. He ran towards her and fell to his knees and removed her chains with a vanishing spell. She fell towards him and collapsed into his arms. He could feel her in his arms, she was cold and he could see that her eyes were closed. All over her body, blood stained her clothes where it looked like she had been tortured. Slash marks ran down the length of her arms and there were cuts and bruises all over her face.

“Hermione! Hermione, please, please...open your eyes.” Harry pleaded with tears streaming down his face. He was holding her in one arm and shaking her with the other. “Hermione! Please!” he pleaded again. He brought a hand up to her cheek to brush away her hair. As he touched her soft skin, he was terrified at what he felt. She was so cold.

“Hermione...please...you can't be dead.” He dug his head into her shoulder and began to sob uncontrollably when, to his immense relief, he heard Hermione speak.

“Harry...” she said weakly.

Harry's heart began to beat again as she slowly opened her eyes. “Hermione!” Harry said. He could do nothing but continue to sob as he stroked her face and gazed into those cinnamon eyes once more.

“Harry,” Hermione said in her tattered weak voice.

“I'm here!” Harry reassured her.

“Ha-arry...I - I'm so-o... s - sor-ry.” Hermione sobbed into the cold air. Harry could see her breath escaping from her lips.

“What? No! No Love, don't be sorry...” he said crying as he held her to him. “Don't you be sorry.”

“B - But I-I a-am!” she cried. “P-please f-forgive me.

Harry pulled away to look at her. She was crying fiercely as was he. “Hermione, I do forgive you. I love you.” He took off his cloak and wrapped her body in it. “But you're freezing and we have to get you back to Hogwarts and to Madame Pomfrey.”

Harry carefully picked her up so that he held her back with his right arm and let her legs dangle over the side of his left arm.

“Hermione.” he whispered in her ear. “I need you to throw your arms around my neck and hold on. Can you do that?”

Hermione nodded weakly and did as Harry told her.

Harry's hand burned with pain as he held her, but he knew that was nothing compared to anything he would have experienced had Hermione been dead. As he held her, she let out whimpers from her own pain. Harry imagined that the slashes on her arms must hurt even more with her arms stretched around his neck. “Hermione,” he said. “I'm going to get you out of here. Trust me, we'll be back at Hogwarts in no time.” Harry felt her nod in recognition of his words just before she let her head fall to his shoulder.

With Hermione in his arms, Harry laid Hermione's wand on her stomach. It was still lit and provided Harry with the light they needed to find their way out. Harry searched the room fervently for an exit until he finally found a large oak door. It, like the walls and floor, was growing things all over. He tried to grab his wand without letting her go, but was unsuccessful. With the little strength she had, Hermione let go of Harry with one hand and reached to her stomach and grabbed her wand.

“Nox.” she said, extinguishing the light. Then, pointing the wand towards the door she muttered, “Alohomora.”

She turned to Harry to give him a weak smile and wrapped her arm around him again.

Harry smiled back and kicked the door open. Behind the door, a large hallway was brightly lit by large snakehead-shaped torches that were perched on the walls.

“Where are we?” he whispered to himself. Hermione answered. “R-Riddle H-house.” she said. Her voice was still shaky from the cold and pain. “L-Little H-Hanglet-ton.”

Harry stared at her. “Riddle House?” he said, perplexed. “You mean, this is Tom Riddle's house? This is Voldemort's house?”

Hermione nodded. Harry looked back up and down the hall. His scar began to burn in agonizing pain. His knees began to buckle and he had to struggle to keep Hermione up. “He's - so - angry.” Harry said through the pain. “And - he's - close...so - close.”

Harry fought to try and keep the pain under control without letting go of Hermione. Within seconds it became increasingly difficult to do so. Voldemort seemed to be getting angrier by the second. Harry dropped down to his knees, Hermione still in his arms as he let out a scream. Then, all of the sudden the pain deadened for a moment. The feeling changed. Voldemort was now happy.

“We have to get out of here Hermione! Now!” Hermione let go of him and grabbed her wand. She painfully moved to Harry's feet and pulled off one of his shoes. “PORTUS!” she said as loud as she could, pointing her wand at it determinedly. She pulled Harry's hand out to touch the shoe and they were both instantly transported to the gates just outside the grounds of Hogwarts. Hermione landed on her feet, but instantly collapsed to the ground. Harry landed firmly and saw Hermione fall. Forgetting all about the pain, he hurriedly pointed his wand at the gates and yelled “ALOHOMORA!”

Nothing happened.

Harry felt the panic and frustration rising through his body. “Now what!” he yelled to no one in particular. He ran towards Hermione's still body. Quickly checking for a pulse, Harry deduced that she was unconscious. He just had to get her to Madame Pomfrey...and fast.

Raking his brain for anything, something finally popped into his head. He lifted his wand and pointed it towards the sky and yelled, “ACCIO FIREBOLT!”

Within seconds his broomstick was racing toward him. When it finally got to him and landed in his hand, he seized Hermione and held her steady as he climbed onto his broom. This was going to be tricky. With one hand placed firmly around the handle of his Firebolt and the other tightly gripping Hermione, Harry kicked off and was soon racing back to Hogwarts.

A/N: Hmm...hard to believe that took me 6 days to write huh? Well anyway, I hope you all liked it. I'm not even going to say when the next chapter will be up. I don't like the pressure!! I'll be writing it though. I think that now that this part is done, the next chapter should be easier to write!

I know that this may have seemed a little too easy, Harry getting to Hermione. Well, there is more to it than you think.

Thank you all for reading and I'd really appreciate your comments on this one!

P.s. Terri, I finished the chapter so....ahem....where's my Epilogue? LOL! J/K!!


-->

14. You're Safe, I'm Sorry


A/N: This took FOREVER...I wasn't focused...I had schoolwork! Blame it all on my English Professor!!! I'm sorry...here's the next chapter:

You're Safe, I'm Sorry

Professor Dumbledore and Liz were making their way down the corridor towards the Hospital Wing. Liz had been shaking the entire way there. As they walked she looked up a Dumbledore.

“Albus,” she asked apprehensively. “What if I'm wrong?” Dumbledore looked down at her as they continued to walk. “You must trust yourself Elizabeth. Trust your heart.”

“Is that enough?”

“It has to be.” Dumbledore said quietly. Liz kept her eye on him and nodded slowly.

Liz and Professor Dumbledore continued to walk down the corridor until going into an empty room just near the Hospital Wing. Dumbledore turned to Liz, “I will see you and Harry soon. ” he said quietly. And with that, he turned from her and left the room.

A few minutes later Ron entered the room and waited with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was racing towards the castle as fast as he possibly could, pushing his Firebolt to speeds he didn't think could be reached. He held Hermione tightly with one arm and held onto the handle of his broom with an equal grip. He could see the castle getting closer and closer, yet it still seemed so very far away.

Finally, when he reached the castle's entrance, he dropped his Firebolt and took up Hermione in both his arms. She was still unconscious, and all Harry could do now was run as fast as his feet could carry him to the Hospital Wing and pray that Hermione would be okay. He ran up what seemed like endless flights of stairs until he finally reached the Hospital Wing. With Hermione still in his arms, he kicked the doors to the infirmary open. Immediately Madame Pomfrey came bustling from her office. “What is all this - ”

“Hermione's hurt!” Harry yelled. Madame Pomfrey gasped and led him over to a bed. “Put her down here Mr. Potter.” she said waving her hands at the bed.

As Harry placed Hermione down gently, Ron and Liz came running in. Harry wheeled around to see that Liz had reverted back into her true self - her Liz form. Only now her hair seemed redder. With his new, understanding about who Liz really was, Harry immediately thought she looked a lot like his mother. Harry quickly shook the thought and spun back around to sit next to Hermione. Madame Pomfrey was bustling around Hermione checking her injuries.

Before Liz and Ron could even get close to Harry and Hermione, Liz began to gasp in horror and dragged Ron back out of the infirmary.

“What?” Ron asked, confused. Liz was now leaning against the stone wall her chest heaving as she took deep breaths.

“What's wrong?” Ron asked again. Liz's eyes were wide as she looked around at the infirmary door then back at Ron.

“GET HARRY OUT OF THERE!” she yelled.

Ron was really confused now. “What? Why?”

“JUST GO AND GET HIM!”

Ron looked at her momentarily and then dashed back into the Hospital Wing. He ran towards Harry and told him to come, but Harry point blank refused to leave Hermione's side. Ron stood and stared at him for a moment and thought. Dumbledore trusted Liz, Dumbledore knew Liz, Dumbledore helped raise Liz. Ron had to trust Liz now. She must have some logical reason for wanting Harry out of there. After all, Charlie trusted her, and now, Liz was family. That made Harry more family than he ever was before.

Quickly deciding, Ron grabbed a handful of Harry's robes, gathered up all of his strength and dragged him kicking and screaming out of the Hospital Wing.

Harry didn't know what the hell was going on, he tried to reach for his wand, but it was back with Hermione. By the time he'd stopped struggling, he was right outside the Hospital Wing.

“WHAT?!” Harry yelled, outraged at Ron and Liz. “WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT, THAT YOU HAD TO DRAG ME AWAY FROM HERMIONE?”

“THAT-IS-NOT-HERMIONE!” Liz yelled back, still gasping for breath.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Harry asked, still fuming.

Liz stared him straight in the eye as she spoke. “That's not her, Harry! That's someone else!”

“What do you mean, `someone else'?”

“Harry, I'm and Empath...I can feel emotions and just - ” Liz was getting frustrated. “ In there, that was one of the largest amounts of hate I've ever felt in my life. I've never experienced anything like that around Hermione. Whoever is in there, it's not Hermione!”

“This is crazy!” said Harry, not believing a word. He turned from Liz and Ron and made to walk back into the infirmary.

“Harry, wait!” Ron called after him. “She's telling the truth. Believe her.” Ron was shaking, and so was Liz.

Harry turned around and glared at the pair of them. “Why should I?” he asked darkly.

“Harry, you have to.” Liz said, her voice trembling slightly. “I know it's hard, but you must.”

Harry was rolled her eyes at her and turned back around. “Harry!” Liz said.

Harry turned once more to face her.

“That person in there is not your Hermione.” Liz said seriously. “That is someone very evil...”

Just then, they all heard a scream.

Quick as lightning, Harry, Ron and Liz ran into the Hospital Wing to see Hermione out of bed. She was pointing a wand towards Madame Pomfrey, who was trembling in fear. Harry looked closely, and he could see that the wand Hermione was holding was not hers. It was dark and nothing like he knew Hermione's to be. It was his wand.

Liz and Ron stood against the wall, behind Harry.

“Hermione, what are you doing?” Harry asked walking towards her. Hermione only glared at him with an evil grin spread across her face.

“Nice to see you again baby Potter.” she sneered.

Harry blinked, he understood. This person, whoever she was, definitely was not Hermione. “Who are you?” he asked her.

“Why, I'm your beloved Hermione.” the culprit responded.

“NO. YOU ARE NOT HERMIONE!” Harry yelled. “WHO ARE YOU?”

“Tsk Tsk, Potter.” the culprit said waving her wand back and forth at Madame Pomfrey as she stared at Harry. “Is that any way to speak to the love of your life?”

“Who-are-you?” Harry asked again through clenched teeth. “Where is Hermione? What have you done with her?”

“Oh, alright...I suppose you've figured me out. Way to spoil the surprise!” the evil woman replied. “You don't recognize me baby Potter?”

It was her tone and what she had been calling him that Harry had recognized. He could see Hermione's body, but he could see through that transparent disguise now. He could see the black heart of Bellatrix Lestrange.

“Bellatrix Lestrange.” Harry sneered.

“Very good.” Bellatrix said, ignoring the frightened gasps that came from Ron and Madame Pomfrey.

“You know, it scared the wits out of your precious Hermione when she stood face to face with `herself'. She nearly passed out, well, after all of the torturing anyway.

Bellatrix saw Ron whip out his wand.

“Uh uh.” said Bellatrix, prodding Madame Pomfrey with her wand. “I will kill her. I'm sure you know I'm quite capable of that.” She said, looking back at Harry. “Don't you Potter?”

She paused for a long moment and continued to give Harry an evil grin. “You know,” she said after a few moments had passed. “She did quite well at fighting the Cruciatus Curse.”

Harry felt his anger rising even higher, if that was even possible.

Ron had whipped out his wand once again and was ready to curse Bellatrix into oblivion, but he was held back by Liz.

“How much do you love her, Potter? Enough to kill?”

Somehow, in a split second, Harry managed to run at her and knock her to the ground. All he wanted to do now was gouge out her eyes and make her suffer like no one had ever suffered before. Madame Pomfrey ran towards Liz and Ron. Harry grabbed his wand and pointed at Bellatrix's face. “YES!” he said darkly.

Still wearing an evil grin, Bellatrix stood up and glared at Harry.

Liz had finally let go of Ron, and he was creeping up on Harry and Bellatrix. Bellatrix was now transfiguring back into her true identity. Bellatrix had just changed completely back into herself, when Ron came up from behind and yelled, “Petrificus Totalis!”

Her body froze up and she fell forward, stiff as a board. Harry wheeled around to look at Ron.

“Ron!” he shouted. “That's it? She deserves - ”

“To go to hell, I know!” Ron said, finishing Harry's sentence for him.

“I was just - ”

“About to kill her!”

“SO!”

“You need to save all that hate for Voldemort!” Ron said seriously.

Harry was breathing hard, and he thought about Hermione. She had said the same thing to him not too long ago.

“She's the only one here who knows where Hermione is.” Ron said.

“You're right.” Harry said, now thinking somewhat logically. He turned to Liz. “Where's Dumbledore?” he asked.

“I don't know.” Liz replied.

“What's going on?” Madame Pomfrey demanded.

Before anyone could answer, Profeessor Dumbledore walked in followed by Snape.

“Professor!” Harry said. “Professor Dumbledore, that wasn't Hermione! It was Bellatrix Lestrange.” he said pointing to Bellatrix's stiff body. “We need to interrogate her...we have to make her tell us where Hermione is!” Harry was extremely anxious. For a short while there, he thought he'd actually gotten his Hermione back. Now, he was failing her...

“Yes Harry, I agree.” Dumbledore said calmly. Snape was over by Bellatrix, picking her up and setting her on a chair. Snape muttered a binding spell and ropes wrapped around Bellatrix and the chair tightly. Dumbledore walked over to her and looked at her closely. He didn't even give her a chance to speak before he used his Legillimency skills to interrogate her and gain the information he needed.

He told Harry exactly where she was. At the Riddle House, in Little Hangleton.

“I - I was just there! I'm going back!” he said, sprinting for the exit, but Liz stopped him.

“WHAT?” he yelled indignantly. She had tried to stop him one too many times now.

“You can't go by yourself!” Liz exclaimed.

“Yes I can!” Harry shouted at her.

“No you're not!” Ron said, running towards them. “I'm coming too!”

“Let's go then!” said Harry, moving towards the doors again.

“NO!” Liz said.

“DAMN YOU! YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND DO YOU? I - ”

“You need to be able to get in and out quick! You don't know how to make a portkey! Are you comfortable apparating with another person?”

Harry hesitated and then glared at Liz with a hint of defeat.

“That's what I thought!” Liz said. “I'm going with you.” Ron looked very upset.

“Fine!” Harry said, giving up on winning any argument. Time was passing by and Hermione still was not safe in his arms where she belonged. “Let's go!” he yelled to Liz, who was now speaking very quietly with Dumbledore.

“Go.” Dumbledore said to her. “Elizabeth, be very careful.” She nodded and walked towards Harry.

The two of them raced outside, where Harry raised his wand to summon his broom. “Accio Firebolt!” he said. It zoomed quickly through the air, and landed in his hands. He and Liz flew to the entry gate, just outside of Hogwarts grounds. Near a small tree, they both apparated to the Riddle House.

They arrived in a small , dimly lit hallway. Harry recognized the snake-shaped torches.

“Be very quiet.” Liz whispered to Harry. “Try to close your mind while you're here. We don't want...er...Tom picking up that you're here. Harry was too worried to argue. He did what she said, but kept his mind focused on getting Hermione back.

They sneaked around the house, looking for the door that Dumbledore had described. He'd said it was a door with an X marked on it, and a guard out front. When they finally found it, Harry recognized the guard to be Antonin Dolohov; the wizard who had cursed Hermione nearly two years ago. Harry wanted nothing more than to kill him where he stood. Instead, Liz hit him with a sleeping charm. He instantly fell to the ground.

“No one else is in there but Hermione.” Liz whispered to Harry. “I can't sense anyone else. Go in and get her quick, I'll stay out here and keep watch.”

Harry nodded and raced into the room. What he saw shocked him even more than the first time he'd seen `Hermione' in chains. He ran over to her and broke her bounds and held her in his arms.

“Hermione! Wake up!” Harry cried. He didn't know if he could handle this again.

This Hermione, his Hermione looked far worse. Her lips, nose and forehead dripped with blood. Her eyes were puffy from crying and her hair was all tangled. Harry could see that her arms were full of deep cuts and full of bruises.

“Hermione, love. Please, open your eyes.” To Harry's amazement, she did.

“H-harry?” Hermione whimpered. “Is that y-you?” Harry couldn't keep himself from smiling.

“Yes, love! Yes, I'm here!” Harry felt her skin. It was cold as ice. Not having a cloak, for he had given it to the fake Hermione, he did all he could and held her close to him.

“I-I knew you'd s-save me. I'm j-just s-so s-sorry...” Hermione said, before she broke out in tears.

“No, Hermione! You - you don't have to apologize for anything. I'm here now. We need to get you back to Hogwarts to the hospital wing! I just need to ask you something first. You need to answer me this Hermione, please.”

“Anythi-thing...”

Harry needed to know this was the real Hermione. He drew in a great breath and asked her his question.

“What - what did I promise you that night we first said `I love you'?

Hermione didn't know exactly why Harry had asked her this, for two reasons. Through all of her pain, she just couldn't bring herself to answer. The answer would hurt him.

“Harry, I - ”

“Just tell me Hermione!” Harry said, sobbing.

Hermione let her tears run down her face and turned her head away from him. “Y-You...you said you'd never let anything happen to me.” She was crying even harder by the time she'd finished the sentence.

Harry cried into her neck and held her close to him. “I'm so, so sorry Hermione! I'm so sorry!”

Just then, Liz burst in through the door. “WE HAVE TO GO NOW!!!”

Harry knew exactly why. His scar felt like it had burst into flames. Voldemort wasn't mad, he was downright pissed. All around him, Harry could hear people screaming and yelling. He could hear Voldemort inside his head. “You'll never escape Potter!” is what he said.

Liz grabbed him and Hermione and apparated them all back to the gates just outside Hogwarts.

Liz immediately collapsed onto the ground in tears, clutching her heart as if in tremendous pain.

“What's wrong? What happened?” Harry asked Liz as he scooped up Hermione in his arms.

“Voldemort!” she gasped. “H-he was right there...behind us!

Harry looked down at her and for some reason, he felt like crying too.

But he didn't.

“Liz,” he said, crouching down to look at her, Hermione still in his arms.

Liz looked up at him with tears trailing down her face. “Liz,” Harry said again. “I'm going to take Hermione back up to the Hospital Wing and then I'll come back and get you, okay?”

Liz nodded and drew her legs up to her chest as she backed up against the gate.

Harry mounted his broom just as he had done before, holding on to Hermione tightly as he kicked off and flew as fast as he could towards the castle.

This time, Harry did not even dismount his broom. He simply flew in through the doors and up the flights of stairs to the Hospital Wing. “H-Harry...” Hermione moaned as they flew up towards the Hospital Wing. “I'm here Hermione!” Harry assured her. “I'm here love!”

“Harry...I-I'm sorry!” she cried.

“NO! Hermione, just wait...everything is going to be alright! I promise!”

When he finally reached it, he took up Hermione in both arms and ran into the room. “HELP HER!” He shouted to all who were in the room.

Madame Pomfrey, who had been sitting in a chair talking with Ron, shot up out of her seat and practically flew over to Harry and Hermione. “Set her down here Mr. Potter! Quickly!”

Harry did as she said and felt hot tears forming in his eyes. He did not try and suppress them at all, but let them run wild down his face. Hermione was now unconscious. When it happened he did not know. He had just heard her speak to him, so it must have only happened moments ago.

Ron came running over to them and stopped abruptly at the sight of the tortured Hermione. He glared over at Bellatrix, who was bound in chains and under a sleeping spell in the corner of the Infirmary. After tearing his eyes away from Bellatrix, Ron looked at Harry and saw him sobbing over Hermione as Madame Pomfrey hastily ran around the room gathering up potions and such.

“Harry,” Ron said. “Where's Liz?”

Harry reluctantly tore his eyes away from Hermione to look at Ron. “What?” he said, not really having heard what Ron had said.

“Liz.” Ron said. “Where is she?”

“Liz! She's at the gates. I told her I'd go back to get her.” Harry turned back to Hermione. It was obvious he didn't want to leave her. Noticing this Ron took the initiative and ran towards the doors.

“What are you - ” Harry started.

“You stay here mate.” Ron said. “You stay with Hermione, I'll go and get Liz.”

Harry nodded gratefully and returned his full attention to Hermione.

Ron darted out of the Infirmary and grabbed Harry's Firebolt off of the ground and ran with it downstairs and out of the castle. He mounted the broom and sped off to the outer gates to retrieve Liz.

He got there quickly and saw Liz, huddled to herself, leaning up against the gate.

“Liz!” he called. “Are you alright.” She gave him a weak smile as he landed and ran toward her. “Are you okay?” he asked again.

“Yes.” Liz replied. “I'm fine. How's Hermione? How's Harry?”

“Dunno, I raced out here as soon as Harry brought her in. Hermione was unconscious so...I didn't think Harry'd want to leave her.

Liz nodded slowly. “No, he wouldn't” she said. “He'll never leave her.”

Ron looked at her, puzzled for a moment, but shook it off.

“You know,” he said with a slight smile as he helped her to her feet. “I don't think my brother would really like seeing you doing all of this dangerous stuff.”

Liz smiled back at him.

“Glad you're okay...sis.” Ron said.

“Thanks...bro.”

A/N: Okay...I hear you screaming! That was a horrible place to end the chapter huh? For you guys anyway! I, on the other hand, want it to stop there! So...I'll be making it up to you in the next chapter with some talking....hmmm...yelling? Screaming? Laughing? Crying? A bad temper? A good temper? Exactly what you're expecting? Not what you're expecting...okay I'm teasing you all now.

I'll work on the next chapter and try and get it up quicker than this one...I can't promise anything, but I'll work at it.

Thanks for reading! Leave me your comments please!! I love hearing what you all think.


-->

15. A/N Only


Hello all...sorry this isn't a new chapter...just one of those boring A/N's...but keep reading it anyway...

I realize that it's only been 6 days since I last updated, but I'm being so slow when it comes to updating this story. Sorry. I think it's going to take a little longer.

The reasons for my lack of updates begins with the fact that I've just been bogged down with homework galore. Professors are handing out homework like candy before spring break gets here.

The second reason isI haven't been feeling well lately...headaches, stuffy nose...you name it...I just haven't been up to speed. The other reason for my slowness is that I've been working on a collaboration story with another author...a very good author here on Portkey...I'm thrilled about it! We've been working on a story under both of our names which should be really great.

The story is almost ready and we hope it will be up on Portkey shortly.

I still have been working on Ch. 15 though...slowly mind you, but working nonetheless. I was hoping to have it out March 9th , but I don't think that's going to be possible. I have a good amount of the chapter written already. So, very soon I am hoping to finish up this chapter and give it to you all. I hope you enjoy it when I post it. To give you a little tease: It will be full of conversations...between who, I'll leave you to wonder until I post the next chapter. Although, I'm sure you all know what conversation will take place in this chapter!

Again, so sorry for being slow! Thank you to everyone who has read the story and reviewed! You're a large part of why I keep writing! THANKS!

Green_Eye_Sparkle16


-->

16. They Need To Talk


A/N: Greetings all! I'm back with the next chapter! I am SO sorry it took so long. It's just been CRAZY these past couple of weeks. I've been really busy with...other stuff, and am working on a collaboration with H_HrFan, called The Scrapbook by (H_HrFan and GreenEyeSparkle16).

Well, in any case, I'm sorry this took so long to get finished. I blame a computer company that I won't umm D...mention...E....here...L...on Portkey...L! I had to write most of this chapter out by hand and then put it into the computer. It's just been a mess. Anyway...I hope you like what I've given you. This chapter was intended to be quite a bit longer...but I wanted to give you something, so I split it into two parts.

Quick thanks to Terri for reading over this so late...I'm pooped...what about you? Thanks doing that for me...and if I hadn't of gotten my ACA...thanks for agreeing to post! You rock!

Well, here it is:

They Need To Talk

Liz and Ron flew back to the castle on Harry's Firebolt. When they reached the entrance, they hurried up to the Hospital Wing and peeked in through the doors. Harry was sitting in a chair beside Hermione, who was lying unconscious in a hospital bed.

Ron started to close the door to give Harry some privacy with Hermione, but before he could, Madam Pomfrey poked her head out to see who was there. Realizing who it was, she stepped out of the infirmary into the hall to speak with Liz and Ron.

“Is she okay?” Ron asked anxiously.

“She's unconscious at the moment.” Madam Pomfrey said, her voice trembling slightly. “She has a slight concussion. Her injuries aren't too serious, but they've done enough damage. What she needs is medicine and time. She should wake soon.”

Ron let out a sigh of relief. Liz looked as is she was going to cry.

“Madam Pomfrey,” Liz said, “where's Professor Dumbledore?”

“He and Professor Snape have taken the culprit to the dungeon for questioning. They should return soon.”

Both Liz and Ron could see that Madam Pomfrey was still shaken up from the ordeal that had taken place earlier. For her face paled at the mention of Bellatrix, and her hands began to quiver. “Professor McGonagall was here a few moments ago,” she continued. “It appears that all of the students have been told to stay put in the Great Hall until the Headmaster addresses them.”

“You mean they still don't know anything?” Ron asked incredulously. It wasn't like Dumbledore to keep people waiting, especially the students.

Madam Pomfrey shook her head wearily. “I'm afraid not Mr. Weasley. Frankly, I don't know what the Headmaster will tell them. The truth perhaps, to a certain extent...”

Ron let out a breath of air and leaned back against the wall while Liz stood still and seemed to be lost in thought.

“Well, I'll be in my office;” said Madam Pomfrey. “I think it would be best to give Mr. Potter and Miss Granger some time alone before you go in.”

Ron and Liz nodded as Madam Pomfrey went back into the infirmary to her office.

Ron looked over at Liz and then down at his shoes. “Are you going to talk to him?” he asked casually.

Liz looked up at him, clearly unsure by the face she made, if Ron had asked her something. “Huh?” she said blankly. “Did you say something?”

“Yeah.” Ron said looking up at her. “I asked if you were going to talk to Harry.”

“Oh, right, Harry. I don't know.” Liz said worriedly. “Things just went so...wrong. I don't think he really wants to talk to me right now. I mean, I'd be really angry. How did he react when he found out about Sirius?” Liz asked.

“Well, he was pretty ruthless at first. He wanted to kill him.” Ron said pensively. Liz looked horrified. “But it was only `cause he thought Sirius had betrayed his - your - your guys' parents.” Ron added, noticing Liz's expression. When he found out the truth though, he was really happy. But...er...your situation is well...a lot different. A lot more complicated.”

Liz grumbled and slid down against the wall until she was sitting on the cold ground.

“I know it's different.” she said softly. “I know, everything just went horribly...bad.”

“You didn't See this coming?” Ron asked sarcastically as he looked down at Liz.

“No!” Liz shot back. There was a long pause before either of them spoke again.

Ron soon decided to relieve the tension he had caused. “Are you planning on telling Ginny that, you know, we're all...erm...family now?”

Liz smiled at Ron and chuckled.

“What?” Ron asked bemused.

“Ron, um...Ginny-already-knows.” Liz said swiftly.

“WHAT?”

“Er...you see, she um...she found out from Fred and George.”

“Wha-when?” Ron stammered, and then gaped at Liz.

“During Christmas.” Liz said easily. “You know Fred and George. They were talking amongst themselves, about Charlie and I, and well...Ginny overheard the whole thing. We had to have a talk with her of course.”

“You couldn't just use a memory charm or something?” Ron asked, still thoroughly shocked.

“No,” said Liz. “It was fine, really. She's kept the secret pretty well. If she did say anything , we would have to use a memory charm on her though. But I don't See that happening.” she added sarcastically.

“So, none of you ever thought of just letting me in on it as well?” Ron asked in a hurt voice.

My family didn't know.” said Liz. “And he was really the only person who was supposed to know.”

Ron didn't know what to say to this.

“Oh, Ron, what would you have done if you found out?”

“Id've gone and told Harry.” Ron answered stupidly.

“See, and that's why you couldn't know.” Liz said, crossing her arms and smiling at him. Ron walked over to her and sat down beside her. “So,” he said. “I'm the last to find out? Gee, even by mistake Harry found out before me...and Hermione knows? You never did tell me why you told her.”

“Again, first of all,” Liz said turning toward him. “again, no one should've known before Harry, and secondly, you aren't the last person to know - ”

“Yeah, I know...loads of people don't know about you - ” Ron said throwing his hands up in the air and rolling his eyes at Liz.

“No, I'm talking Weasley family-wise...Percy still doesn't know.”

“Oh, Percy doesn't count!” Ron spat. “He can't be trusted with anything...or were you afraid you'd get a lecture? `Cause - ”

“Anyway,” Liz pushed on, interrupting Ron. “I told Hermione because Dumbledore told me to.”

“So, why did Dumbledore want you to tell her?” Ron asked suspiciously.

“I don't know.”

“Yes you do.”

“Honest, I don't!”

“You're lying.” Ron accused, grinning.

“I am not lying.” Liz said firmly.

“Peh! You are too!” Ron said, rolling his eyes at her once more. “There's something more, but don't worry, I'll be the last to know about that too, won't I?”

“You know what I think?” Liz said.

“What?”

“I think you are being entirely too dramatic about the whole thing.” That ended their conversation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, inside the Hospital Wing, Harry was talking to Hermione, who was still unconscious. Harry watched as she lie in the bed, completely still. Her body looked frail, and even though her eyes were closed, they seemed tired. Harry simply couldn't bare the fact that he'd failed Hermione in keeping his promise to her. He couldn't bare the fact that Voldemort had tortured her because of him - to get to him. It had been one of Harry's biggest fears for quite sometime. The nightmare had happened.

What had he done to her, Voldemort? How much pain had he put her through? Harry looked at Hermione's face. It was bruised and full of scars. Her lip had been split open and was still trickling with blood. Harry reached out a hand to wipe it away. As he did, a wave of hatred, bigger than he'd ever felt in his life, rushed through him. Right then, he decided that whatever pain Voldemort, Malfoy, Bellatrix, or whoever had inflicted on Hermione, they would suffer a thousand times greater at Harry's hand.

Harry took Hermione's hand in both of his, despite the pain from the burning portkey, and kissed it softly. “Hermione,” he said quietly. “Hermione, please wake up.” he pleaded. “Please...I'm so, so sorry Hermione. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have yelled at you...then you wouldn't have been walking around alone.” Harry scooted himself closer to her and rested his head in the crook of her neck and began to sob. “I promised you.” he whispered. “I promised you he'd never harm you. I'm so sorry. I didn't keep my promise.” He continued to cry, letting the tears flow down his cheeks. Just then, he felt Hermione stir under him.

“Harry...” he heard her whisper. Harry's head shot up to look at her.

“Hermione!” he breathed, falling out of his chair and onto his knees, placed a hand on Hermione's cheek. “You're awake!”

Hermione managed to give him a weak smile. “Hi.” she said.

Harry's tears trailed down his face, faster as Hermione reached up and ran her hand through his hair. Harry saw the tears welling up in her tired eyes. They soon escaped and ran down her bruised cheek. “I'm so sorry Harry,” she cried. “For keeping that secret from you...I - ”

Harry pressed a finger gently to her lips, and wiped away the tears from her cheeks.

“No, love. Don't worry about that now.” he said shaking his head at her, and caressing her cheeks. “It doesn't matter right now. I'm just glad that you're okay.”

Hermione closed her eyes and leaned into Harry's hand. More tears fell down her face as she cried. She put her hand up to his and held him there, just crying.

Harry stared at Hermione for a moment, scrunching up his face to try and suppress his tears. The salt from her tears was killing his hand, but seeing Hermione hurt was more pain than he had ever gone through, and he'd been through his share of pain. “Hermione,” he said quietly. “What...what did he do to you?”

He felt Hermione squeeze his hand (it hurt like hell, but he ignored the pain) as she began to cry more fiercely. Horrified at what he'd done, and upset with himself for bringing this up now, Harry tried to apologize.

But before he could even get the words out, Hermione was crying fiercely.

“It was horrible!” she gasped. “H - He was in my mind Harry! He saw everything...he knows the whole prophecy!”

Harry hid his fear very well. Who cared if Voldemort now knew what must happen. Hermione was safe and alive. “It's okay.” Harry said as he put his arm around her and buried his face in her neck. “It's okay.” he repeated.

“No, it's not okay!” Hermione cried, pulling away from Harry. Her face was stained with tears and her cheeks flushed, even though the bruises. “He showed me these things after he found out. He put these images in my head! I saw you...when he was torturing you during the Triwizard Tournament...and Cedric! Then, he - he showed me...” she paused for a moment, attempting to find her words. “...when you were a baby.” she said finally. “I saw you...and - and you're parents and...Liz.”

Harry's mind froze for a split second as he thought of Liz. His thoughts were ready to race into a million different directions, when he forgot about them quickly and returned his attention to Hermione. She was what was important now. Only her. Harry could feel her trembling; he could see her face was white with terror.

“He kept telling me that he was going to kill you and make me watch while he tortured you first.” Hermione said. “Then, h-he grabbed me around the neck and something happened, and then he used the Cruciatis Curse on me!”

Harry pulled her to him once more. He immediately felt a surge of hate rush through him like he'd never felt before. Even greater than moments ago. He WAS going to kill Voldemort, no matter what. Harry stood up from the floor and sat down on Hermione's bed. He leaned down to reach for her and pulled her up into his arms. He held her tightly to him, never wanting to let go of her again. He rubbed her back gently and let himself cry as she did the same.

“Hermione, I'm so sorry!” he sobbed, holding her tighter still. I'm sorry...I let you down, I - you got hurt...I said I'd never let that happen.” And if possible, Harry began to cry even harder.

Hermione pulled away from him slowly to look into his eyes. Placing both hands on his cheeks, she pulled him to her so that their foreheads were touching. “I'm here because of you Harry. I'm here because you saved me.”

Harry began to protest, but Hermione shook her head at him.

“No Harry! Don't you blame yourself for this.” Hermione said firmly.

Harry looked into her eyes and let out a sigh.

“If anything Harry, you should be angry with me.” Hermione said in a quivering voice, taking her hands off of Harry's face, and pulling away slightly. She looked down and saw his burnt hand. “What happened to your hand?” she asked anxiously.

“Nothing.” Harry replied.

“Harry why hasn't Madam Pomfrey healed that yet?”

Harry didn't know actually. He'd been in such a rush to get Hermione to safety, the pain just wasn't on his mind. Who cared about his blasted hand? His Hermione was okay now. “It's fine, Hermione. She can look at it later.”

Hermione stared at him with her tear filled eyes.

“Hermione,” he said, pulling her back to him. “I'm not angry with you, and I'm so, so sorry I yelled at you this morning. Yes, I was upset, but it doesn't matter right now. I love you Hermione, and I'm just so glad that you're okay.” He looked into her eyes and brought a hand up to her cheek. “You're my world Hermione. Just let me hold you , love.”

Hermione buried her face into Harry's chest and hugged him to her. He felt so warm and wonderful against her. Despite what Harry thought, this was where Hermione felt the safest, in his arms.

“I love you, Hermione.” Harry whispered.

“I know you do.” Hermione said softly. “I love you too.”

Some while after, they both fell asleep in Hermione's bed, something that was familiar to both of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry awoke shortly after falling asleep. He sat up to look at Hermione, who was still sleeping. He leaned his head down to hers and kissed her sweetly on the cheek. "I love you," he whispered. He hadn't noticed that Ron had just walked in the room.

"Hi." Ron said quietly as he walked slowly over to Harry, who was sitting back down in the chair next to Hermione's bed.

Harry turned to see Ron. "Hi," he said.

"How is she?" Ron asked as he reached the foot of Hermione's bed.

"She's sleeping now." Harry said, placing his gaze back on Hermione.

Ron let out a sigh of relief. "So she's already woken up?"

Harry nodded.

"That's good," said Ron. He was watching Harry, whose eyes were permanently fixed on Hermione's sleeping form.

"Harry," Ron began. "I'm - "

"Don't." Harry said quickly, as he slowly pulled his eyes away from Hermione to look at Ron. "Ron, I'm sorry...about yelling. I didn't mean to snap when you said you wanted to come with me to bring Hermione back." Harry sighed and turned his full attention to Ron. "I know you care about her too, I just...I was so scared, I just needed to get to her. Plus, I was...what had just happened...with, you know..."

"I know." Ron said patting Harry on the shoulder. "You - erm - you should talk to her Harry."

"I don't think I'm ready to talk to her just yet. Anyway, I'm not going to leave Hermione."

"If you're not ready to talk to her, then you should at least change and rest or something." Ron said.

"But - " Harry began, motioning toward Hermione.

"I'll be here with her Harry. You can trust her with me. I promise, nothing will happen to her." Ron said reassuringly.

"I promised her that too." Harry said so quietly that Ron almost didn't hear him. Harry stood up and sat down on Hermione's bed so that he was next to her. "I told her...I promised her. I said I would never let him hurt her." he whispered.

"Harry, that wasn't your fault." Ron said firmly.

"I yelled at her Ron." Harry said, staring at Hermione's closed eyes and down to her cheeks. There were still tears there.

“I told her...I told her I didn't even want to look at her...because of some stupid secret!”

Ron came to sit down next to him in the now empty chair beside the bed.

“Harry,” Ron said. “Look mate, there was no way you could have know that was going to happen. I'm sure Hermione doesn't blame you. Harry, she trusts you, she loves you and she's not mad at you. It wasn't your fault.”

Harry said nothing.

“Harry, go and get some sleep.” Ron said in a rather orderly tone. “Go and rest. Hermione will be fine, I promise.”

It took a long time to finally persuade Harry to leave Hermione's side, but in the end, Harry walked out of the Infirmary, having no intentions of sleeping. He was going for a walk around the castle. He needed to think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Harry got up to leave the Hospital Wing, Hermione's eyes fluttered open. She watched Harry as the doors closed behind him, and then saw Ron turn to her.

“Hermione!” he said cheerfully, now seeing that she was okay. “You just missed Harry. I'll go and get - ”

“No!” Hermione said quickly. “No, Ron, it's okay. He needs time to himself...after all that he's been through.

Ron watched as Hermione fell apart in tears. Instantly, he moved next to her and pulled her into a hug. “Shh...” he said consolingly. “It's okay Hermione.” But Hermione continued to sob.

“He knows whose fault it is! It's Voldemort's fault.” Ron said angrily. He'd gotten used to saying Voldemort's name after hearing about the Prophecy. “Harry's just upset seeing you hurt. You know him, he - ”

“He blames himself Ron.” Hermione said between sniffles as she continued to cry on Ron's shoulder. “He thinks it's all his fault because he yelled at me! And because I was walking alone, and he wasn't with me when it happened, and he's blaming himself because he promised me...” Hermione was speaking very fast and crying at the same time. Ron held her close to him and patted her on the back, rocking her back and forth gently, as she cried. “Ron,” Hermione continued. “He's being so nice to me, holding me and kissing me when I don't deserve it, when he should be mad at me and - ”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Ron said, quickly and pulling away from Hermione to look at her. “Why would Harry be mad at you?”

“Nothing.” Hermione said, turning away from him.

“I know about Liz.” Ron said quietly, and Hermione's head whipped around. “You do?” she asked, perplexed. How could Ron know?

“Yeah, I do.” Ron said. “I found out when you were...erm...well, Liz and Harry were having a row in Dumbledore's office, and then Harry left”

“They didn't try and stop him?” Hermione asked incredulously.

“No. Well, they did.” Ron explained. “But Harry was really persistent. You know him, he'd die for you Hermione.” Ron hung his head. “He wouldn't even let me come with him to get you.”

“I appreciate that you wanted to come after me.” Hermione said, smiling weakly at Ron, and a grin crossed his face.

“So, they just let him go?” Hermione asked seriously. “All by himself?”

“Yeah,” said Ron. “And after that, they just told me to stay for a talk. I didn't have a clue about what was going on.” Ron suddenly looked very pensive as he paused for a moment.

“I remember Dumbledore and Liz were whispering something though,” he said. It was something like they knew there was nothing they could do to make him stay...like they knew what was going to happen.”

“Liz isn't telling us something.” Hermione said a few moments later. “You know she's a Seer, she told me something when I first found out.”

“What was that?”

“She told me she had a Vision of Harry.” Hermione said quietly.

“Of Harry?” Ron asked. Hermione nodded. “Well what did she tell you?”

“She said,” Hermione hesitated. “She said that she Saw the end.”

“The end?”

“The end of the war. When Harry and Voldemort are face to face.”

“Well, then she knows who wins!” Ron said excitedly. But his feeling of hope was drowned when Hermione shook her head “no”.

“What do you mean no?” Ron asked indignantly.

Hermione sighed and continued on. “Liz said that she Saw Harry and Voldemort facing each other, and then she Saw a bright flash of light - a white, hot, blinding light.”

“And then?” Ron asked anxiously.

“And then, Hermione said slowly. “The Vision ends.”

“The Vision ends?!” Ron said, outraged. “What's the point of her being a Seer if she can't See anything helpful?”

“I don't know.” Hermione said quietly. “I suppose we'll know...in time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry wandered up and down the corridors of the castle, thinking. He was sure he wasn't supposed to be wandering around alone. “Who cares!” Harry said aloud. He certainly didn't. “Maybe Voldemort'll come out and get me so I can kill him and be done with it.” Harry said irritably to no one. Harry wondered what Hermione would think if thoughts of killing someone (even Voldemort) were coming so naturally. Harry didn't want to be a killer, but in his mind, Voldemort had no soul and didn't deserve to live after everything he'd done - after all the pain he'd caused.

Why should Harry care what anyone thought though? They certainly hadn't thought about him. He'd been misled his entire life, believing that he had no family at all. The Dursley's didn't count of course. They'd never really been his family.

Now, suddenly 16 years later, Harry had a sister. He had a big sister. How was that possible? How was it that she wasn't in any of the pictures Harry had of his family?

Right. Of course.

Harry'd received all of those pictures from people who secretly knew about Liz and weren't supposed to say anything. Harry wondered briefly what the picture he had of he and his parents would look like with a small Liz beside them.

The image quickly faded when Harry's negative thoughts returned. “What kind of sister is she anyway?” Harry muttered to himself. “What sister stays away from her only family for 16 years?” As he continued to walk the questions just kept on piling up in his mind. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted to scream.

But then, something crossed his mind. Ron seemed to think Liz was okay. He'd even said that he should talk with Liz - to hear her out. Harry still hadn't spoken to Hermione about the situation...thoroughly anyway. What did she think? Well, she seemed to be pretty close to her...

Harry wondered just how long Hermione had known. He'd have to find out.

Dumbledore was another issue. He'd more than likely been the one to keep this a secret. He was good at that. As far as Harry could tell, Dumbledore, Hermione, and Ron were the only ones to know about Liz. What about -

A thought struck in Harry's head, quick as lightning.

“Sirius knew.” Harry muttered to himself. “He...he was her godfather too...he never told me.” Harry's thoughts were racing. “And Remus has to know too!”

This was almost too much for Harry to think about. Now, more than feeling hurt and betrayed, Harry was downright angry. He wanted answers...now.

But before Harry could get answers, he first had to determine to whom he would direct the questions. There were only two possible choices at the moment: Professor Dumbledore, or Liz.

Harry thought about this for a moment. If he talked to Dumbledore first, his questions were more likely to be answered carefully and more than likely they wouldn't contain the entire truth. He wasn't even sure how he would act around him. This would make this twice in one lifetime that information had been deliberately held from him because of Professor Dumbledore. Why was he so keen to keep Harry in the dark anyway?

That left Liz. Oh sure. Harry thought. Easier said than done. If Harry talked to Liz, he'd more than likely have control over the conversation. After all, she was the one who'd wanted to talk in the first place. Yes, Harry decided. He would go talk to Liz even if he didn't feel like it. He just wanted some damn answers.

So, where exactly was Liz? Harry had managed to wander so far into the castle, that he was nearing the dungeons. The dungeons. Harry thought. That's where Lestrange is being held. Harry let himself wander just a little bit further, until he heard voices.

“Severus, how could you? HOW COULD YOU BETRAY THE DARK LORD?” Harry heard Bellatrix roar from a room down the corridor. Harry moved closer until he was near the dungeon door he was sure Bellatrix and Snape were behind. He pressed his ear to it, and heard Bellatrix yell again. “HOW COULD YOU TURN YOUR BACK ON HIM? HOW COULD YOU DISRESPECT - ”

“SHUT UP BELLA!” Snape bellowed. “SHUT UP!”

Harry heard a rustling noise from behind the door. He cracked it open slightly to see what was going on. Snape had just pulled out his wand and pointed it point-blank at Bellatrix. And then...Bellatrix was...snoring?

Snape had put a sleeping spell on her.

Harry watched as Snape pulled a vile out of his pocket, and walked over to Bellatrix. Snape opened the vile and poured its contents down Bellatrix's throat.

“Veritaserum.” Harry whispered to himself.

After Snape had administered the potion, he woke Bellatrix. Harry waited, and then Snape asked the first question.

“What is Dark Lord's plan?”

A/N: I know, I know...after all that time, and that's all I gave you? Yep...sorry! I will be putting the rest of what was supposed to be in this chapter into my computer soon. So, hopefully I'll get it up here! Thanks for being so patient with me!

Hope you liked this! There's more to come. I think I can safely say that there will be at least 3 more chapters...maybe more. Don't know...

Anyway! Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear what you think!!

Green_Eye_Sparkle16


-->

17. Let's Find Your Memories


A/N: Guess who's back....Yeah, I'm back! Back again!

Anyway....

First, I want to thank you all for being patient! I'm sorry again for delayed updates! *rolls eyes* For some reason, I just haven't been in the “Secrets” writing mood (slap me)...but I'm back!

Hope you enjoy this chapter. I have to warn you that it's more about Harry rather than H/Hr...but don't worry...more H/Hr is definitely on its way!

Let's Find Your Memories

After Snape had administered the potion, he woke Bellatrix. Harry waited, and then Snape asked the first question.

“What is Dark Lord's plan?”

Harry stood entirely still, listening for Bellatrix's answer.

She didn't.

Snape asked her again, in a dark, threatening tone through gritted teeth. “What. Is. The. Dark. Lord's. Plan?

Still no answer.

Harry kept watching. Bellatriix looked as if she was trying to restrain herself from speaking.

The next thing Harry saw was Snape leaning, threateningly into Bellatrix's face, then he heard Snape's voice echoing throughout the dungeon. “TELL ME BELLA! TELL ME WHAT HE'S PLANNING TO DO TO POTTER!”

“I don't know!” Bellatirx roared. “I don't know his plan! He never...”

“What?” Snape snapped.

Bellatrix's head was hung in apparent shame. “He...he never told me!”

Harry's mouth hung wide open.

“Do not play games with me Bella.” Snape said in a warning tone, and backing away from her.

Harry watched as Bellatrix's head rose. She glared at Snape and gave him an evil grin. “You gave me Veritaserum, Severus.” she said. “I know you did. I can still taste it. How could I possibly be lying to you?”

“You're telling me,” Snape said as his lip began to curl, “that you, who have been Voldemort's most loyal servant for years, do not know what his plan is?”

Bellatrix did all that she could to fight it, yet still answered truthfully. “No,” she said, her voice barely audible. Harry leaned in closer to hear better, but as he did, the large oak door creaked. He jumped back quickly when he saw Snape and Bellatrix turn towards it. Harry dashed around the corner to hide as Snape strode towards the door and slammed it shut.

“Well that's just great!” Harry muttered to himself as he flung himself against the stone wall. “The people who're trying to kill me don't even know why the hell they're doing it!”

He stood there in silence, thinking for a minute, running his hands through his hair, trying to concentrate on what he really wanted to figure out at the moment. How the hell can I have a sister? Harry pulled himself away from the wall and left the dungeons to find Liz.

After making his way up numerous flights of stairs, Harry found himself on the ground floor. He walked around a bit, being sure to stay out of sight from anyone who might be looking for him again.

“Where the hell did I leave my invisibility cloak?” Harry muttered to himself as he walked down a corridor. He couldn't remember where he'd left it. The last time he remembered having it was before Hermione was taken. Flinging his hands in the air, Harry got his cloak back the easy way. “Accio invisibility cloak,” Harry said quietly, yet determinedly. Soon enough, his invisibility cloak zoomed straight into his hands.

Harry smiled proudly and threw it on and walked under the invisibility cloak to find Liz. He and Hermione had worked day and night on that spell during fourth year. Harry thought about Hermione. It was all his fault that she now lay in the hospital wing...bruised and battered both mentally, and physically. Yet, Harry couldn't help but be angry with her still. He hated the feelings of sympathy, guilt and anger pulling on his heart all at the same time. It made him want to...

Suddenly, a creaking nose came out of nowhere. He had just barely noticed where he was.

Liz had just stepped out of the Room of Requirement. To Harry's amazement, the minute she stepped out, she seemed to turn her gaze directly at him.

“Harry?” she whispered into the air.

Harry stood still, and quiet under the cloak.

“Harry?” Liz said again.

Harry decided, it was now or never.

“Is that what you really look like?” Harry said, still under the cloak.

“Harry?” Liz questioned again. “Harry, where are you?”

Harry walked closer to her, and removed the cloak. “Is that what you really look like?” Harry repeated.

Liz jumped back.

“Is it?” Harry demanded.

“Yes,” said Liz.

“So, what - why...argh...never mind!” Harry said, walking away. He couldn't do it. Talking to her, facing her, it was too much. He must have been crazy to think that it would be easy.

“Harry, wait!” Liz called after him. “We really need to talk!” Harry turned to her to say something, but rolled his eyes instead, and started walking away.

“Harry, I know how you feel!” Liz said desperately.

Harry whipped around. “Don't say that!” he said angrily. “Don't even think for a moment that you understand how I feel. Even with your...what was it called? Ep - Epathetic powers!”

“Empathic,” Liz corrected.

“Whatever!” Harry bellowed.

“Harry, all I can say is that I'm sorry it had to be this way,” said Liz.

“Look, I don't want to talk about this now!” Harry said. “I need...I just need some time to think.” It was a lie of course. Harry had done all the thinking he needed. He simply could not talk to her right now.

“Alright Harry,” Liz said. “I just want us to talk soon.”

Harry frowned and walked away from her. As he walked, he heard the creaking noise of the door to the Room of Requirement again. Liz had gone back inside. Harry walked back down the corridor from which he had just come. He was so angry...with everyone. What did he need a sister for now anyway? Just then, something Hagrid had said once rang through his head: “Family, whatever yeh say, blood's important.”

Harry stopped and turned around.

This time, it really was now or never.

He walked slowly over to the polished door to the Room of Requirement, and put his had on the brass knob. He took a deep breath and turned it.

As he entered, he saw that the room was flickering with light from a roaring fire at the end of the room, where Liz was sitting in a large chair. With her head propped up against her hand, and her arm leaning on the arm of the chair, she seemed to be in deep thought. She mustn't have heard Harry come in.

Harry approached her slowly. He needed this conversation to go as smoothly as possible. He just wanted answers. He finally neared her, and sat down in the chair opposite her.

“Alright,” Harry said, as Liz looked up at him questioningly. “Talk.”

“Where do you want me to start?” Liz said.

“I dunno,” Harry said. “How'd you start with Hermione and Ron?”

“That was diff - ”

“Just start from the beginning,” Harry said, trying to control his temper. Just let things go smoothly. He told himself.

“Just start when - when he...”

“Killed our parents?” Liz said gingerly.

Harry nodded. This was going to be harder than he thought - when their parents were killed.

“Well, we were all getting ready for bed,” Liz said, starting the story similar to the way she had done with Hermione and Ron. “Mum was taking you upstairs when he walked into our house. He just walked right in.” It seemed to Harry, that Liz was having a hard time speaking. Her voice had begun to crack the instant she said `Mum'.

“Dad yelled for her to take you upstairs; he was holding me when Voldemort used the Avada Kedavra curse on him. Dad really had shielded me, and we fell to the floor. I hit my head. I suppose he thought it hit me too, because as soon as he hit dad, he went straight upstairs. I went unconscious after that.”

As Liz continued on with the same story she had told Hermione and Ron, she noticed Harry was seemingly uneasy talking about the whole situation. It was of course, expected that he would, but she didn't want to frighten him away.

************half an hour later************

“So, why exactly did everyone go through all the trouble to keep the truth hidden from me? From you?” Harry asked.

He had become slightly more comfortable speaking with Liz, but not too much.

“Well, for safety reasons,” Liz explained. “It was totally wrong on so many levels, but they still had our best interests at heart. If I didn't exist, no one came looking for me...especially Voldemort to get to you. If I didn't exist to you...you didn't come looking for me. You stayed out of the wizarding world, and out of harms way. If you didn't exist, to me anyway, after I thought you'd been killed, I wouldn't go trying to contact you. If I had, Voldemort would have found out somehow...”

“Well, a lot of good that secret has done,” Harry said bitterly. “Voldemort found me anyway.”

“Yes, but at least you lived to face him once again,” Liz said.

“Yeah, again, and again, and again, and again!” Harry said angrily, getting to his feet. “When is it going to end? When are the people I care about going to stop getting hurt...or - or killed?!”

“I don't know Harry,” Liz said.

Harry rolled his eyes and sat back down.

“Did - did you know Sirius?”

“Yes,” Liz said quietly. “but he thought I was dead the entire time he was in Azkaban.”

Harry merely looked down at his feet and said nothing.

“I finally met him a little while after you did. After you and Hermione saved him...he looked so old.”

“So, you - you knew him for nearly the same amount of time I did?” Harry finally said.

“Just about,” said Liz. “Well, except those first few years before....”

A few moments passed before Liz started to fumble with her necklace.

“What are you doing?” Harry asked.

“I'll show you,” Liz said. She unfastened the hook of her necklace, and wrapped the chain around her wrist, then held it out to Harry. “Touch the orb,” she said.

“What?” Harry asked, looking questioningly at the object.

“Just touch the orb.”

“What is it?”

Liz lowered her hand slowly, and calmly said, “This, Harry, is when we lived. Touch the orb.” She raised her hand once more, and held the orb out for Harry to touch.

Harry slowly reached out and put a finger on the tiny sapphire pendant.

Instantly, Harry's body felt like it was flying. Then, his feet felt like they were back on solid ground again. He was now in a house...a house that felt somewhat...familiar.

“Where are we?” Harry asked, turning toward Liz, who was right beside him. They were standing in a kitchen.

“Just wait,” Liz said quietly.

Harry was about to say something when...

“Mum?” he whispered.

Lily Potter had just entered the kitchen.

“Is that...is that really?” Harry stammered.

“That's her Harry,” Liz said. “That's Mum.”

She was opening a jar of what seemed to be baby food. She was so beautiful. “James!” she called out. “It's time to stop playing with Harry, he needs to eat dinner!”

Harry watched her closely. He saw that she was shaking her head, smiling. “James...” she said, smiling affectionately. Harry peeled his eyes away from his mother just for a second to look astonishingly at Liz. “What - how - how did this - ”

“Harry, sit down.” Liz said, scooting out two chairs from under the kitchen table.

Harry took a seat, looking back at his mother.

“Harry,” Liz began, just as their father walked in holding a little bundle in his arms.

Harry nearly fell out of his chair. “Dad?”

Harry stood from his chair and walked over to the both of them. He stood between them, and when James spoke, Harry jumped back in surprise.

“You have to let me play longer with him, Lil,” he said. “He's going to grow up fast...look at Liz.”

“Whadabou' me?” said little Liz, skipping into the kitchen.

“We were just saying what a big girl you're getting to be,” Lily said.

Harry almost fell over again.

When Lily took the bundle from James, revealing a “little Harry”...Harry did fall over.

This was too much.

Liz got up to help Harry. “Are you alright?” Liz asked, helping Harry to his feet.

“Uh...yeah...” Harry managed. “I just...it's Dad...and - and Mum.”

“Yes,” Liz said.

“What is this?” Harry finally asked. “What - how did this all happen? Where are we?”

“Come, sit down again,” Liz said, guiding Harry back to the table. Harry sat down, and looked back at...his family.

“Harry...” Liz said, trying to draw his attention toward her. “Harry!” she said a bit louder.

“Wha?” Harry said, peeling his eyes away from the...the four Potter's.

“Harry, I'm going to tell you what this all is. How it all works.”

Harry looked at her attentively. “Okay,” he said.

“Alright,” Liz began. “This,” she said, waving her arms around at the room and the four Potter's. “This is the past.”

“So, we're looking into a pensieve?” Harry asked.

“No, not a pensieve,” Liz explained. “Not exactly. Yes, we are in a memory, but from my necklace.” She held out the necklace for Harry to observe.

“What?” asked Harry. Perplexed, and desperate for answers, he took the necklace.

Liz let him study it for a moment, and then explained the necklace's use, how it worked, and how it came to be a Potter secret. “You have one too,” she had told him. “And so did Mum and Dad.”

“Come with me,” Liz said nearly ten minutes later. The family had just gone into the living room. Harry stood from the kitchen table and walked with Liz into the next room. “Look there,” said Liz, pointing at little Harry, who was now playing with a stuffed dragon on the floor. “Look on your middle finger Harry - look at the ring.”

Harry looked at her and then back at himself. He slowly walked over to take a look at one of his baby fingers. When he did, he saw a small ring on his middle finger, just as Liz had said.

He turned around quickly to look at Liz, who was now holding up a tiny ring between her thumb and forefinger.

“Is that...” Harry said, trailing off.

“Your memories Harry...of Mum and Dad,” Liz said, as she walked towards him.

Harry looked at the ring and then turned to look at his parents. They were sitting on the sofa, little Liz falling asleep in between them, watching little Harry play with his toy.

Harry noticed the necklace around Liz's neck, and the rings on his parents' fingers.

Liz was right next to him now. “Here,” she said, placing the ring in his hand. “This is your life with them.”

Harry could feel the tears coming. He wasn't done being furious with everyone, especially Liz at the moment, but all he wanted to do now was hug...his big sister.

Hagrid's words about family had hit him hard, and it was Hermione's voice inside his head that brought him to reason. Liz was family...no matter what.

“Do you want to try it?” asked Liz.

Harry broke out of his idle state and stared at Liz.

“What?” he asked.

“I said, do you want to try it on?” Liz said. “We need to resize it though.”

“I can?” Harry asked. “I mean, it'll work? How?”

Liz took out her wand, and pointed it at the ring. “Engorgio.” she muttered, and the ring was resized.

“Just think of Mum and Dad's faces. I know you can't remember the memories now, but subconsciously they're all in there.” Liz said, pointing at the ring.

“I just think of them?” Harry asked.

“Yes.” Liz said, holding out her hand to Harry's. “Go ahead, put it on.”

Harry stared at the ring for a moment...the red of the ruby was gleaming. All he had to do was think of his parents...

“C'mon Harry,” Liz said. “Let's find your memories of Mum and Dad.”

Harry thought of their smiling faces. He'd seen them all the time in his dreams. He put the ring on, and grabbed Liz's hand.

In an instant, they were transported somewhere outside.

“Where are we?” Harry asked, turning to Liz.

“This is your memory...you tell me.”

“I don't know.”

“Mmm...I know where we are.” Liz said, smiling. They were standing in the middle of a lush green field, under a lone tree. More trees, were lined down the middle of the field, bringing with them a small dirt path. The day was beautiful, the sky was blue - full of fluffy white clouds. The smell of fragrant flowers was all around them. It seemed so real.

“I don't see anyone. Where are...where are Mum and Dad?” Harry asked.

“Hang on,” Liz said. “Any minute now....”

Just then, from the path behind the trees, emerged a little Liz. Behind her came James, who was holding a large picnic basket, and Lily, who was holding Harry - apparently cooing at him.

“This is my memory?” Harry asked, turning to Liz.

She nodded. “I have one just like it, but it's mainly just me over there,” she said, pointing at her younger self far off in the field, “playing with the ladybugs.”

Harry looked over to the little girl playing in the field to see that indeed, she was chasing ladybugs. Harry laughed.

Soon, James, Lily and Little Harry were standing right beside Harry and Liz. James had set down the basket and pulled out a small blanket from it. He laid it down on the grass in the shade of the tree. “Engorgio,” he muttered, after pulling out his wand and pointing it at the blanket. The blanket grew to a size that would allow the whole family to sit on it.

Harry watched as Lily set Little Harry down on the blanket, he immediately rolled over onto his back and cooed. He watched as his father and mother sat down. Lily sat down close to James and leaned her back against his chest. James wrapped his arms around her, and they watched Little Harry try and defeat the sleep that was overtaking him. Little Liz had wandered over to the blanket, her hair full of little ladybugs. “Look Mummy! Look Daddy!” she said.

Harry, watching the sight before him, noticed Liz was standing against the large tree smiling. He hoped that one day he and Hermione would have a family...just like this.

Just then, everything went black, and they were back in the Room of Requirement.

“Wha - What happened?” Harry asked, frantically looking around for his family.

“The memory ended,” Liz said calmly. “Don't worry, you have many more. Up to their deaths, your entire life with Mum and Dad is recorded in that ring.”

Harry looked at the ring that encompassed his finger. “Thanks,” he said simply.

“You're welcome.”

Harry and Liz shared an awkward moment. Then Harry spoke. “Liz, you need to tell me what you're doing here now...why you disguised yourself as Professor Bright - how did you get to all of your lessons? And why...why did you never tried to contact me before this.”

Harry sat down on a sofa that the room had provided. Liz sat down next to him.

“First of all Harry,” Liz began. “You have to know that for ten years, I had written at least a hundred letters to you explaining everything. But, living with Minerva McGonagall, and Albus Dumbledore...I really had no chance of ever sending them to you. And even if I did...Voldemort would have found out somehow, and you would have been in even more danger than you already were.”

“Second...” Liz took a deep breath. “I had a Vision.”

“A what?” Harry asked.

“A Vison. I'm a Seer...and to be honest Harry...I think you've got the same gift, you just haven't embraced it.”

Harry just stared at her.

“Anyway, I had a Vision of you and - and Voldemort....”

“And?” Harry urged.

“Well, it was the end. It was what seemed to be the final battle between the two of you.”

And?” Harry said, yet again.

“And, I don't know.” Liz said, standing up and throwing her arms in the air, clearly frustrated. “All I see is you and Voldemort pointing your wands at each other, and then this great big flash of green light.”

“So, that means...”

“I don't know what it means Harry.” Liz said. “But the only time I remember seeing a green light like that is when - when Voldemort murdered Mum and Dad.”

Harry sat on the sofa, silent.

“That's why I came out of hiding Harry,” said Liz. “That's why I disguised myself as Professor Bright and Liz Halsey.” Liz explained to him about using the time turner to get to all of her lessons.

“Alright,” Harry said slowly. “I understand you becoming Professor Bright...you've taught us some pretty useful stuff this year, and I understand that you were watching over us, but why Liz Halsey?”

“Simple,” Liz said. “I wanted to get to know you better.”

“Oh,” Harry said. “So, those are the only reasons why you came out of hiding?”

“Well, no...actually there is one more reason, but I can't tell you that.”

“More secrets?” Harry muttered.

“Yes, and this is one I must keep.”

“Why?” Harry asked irritably.

“You know that saying, `All good things come to those who wait'?” Liz asked.

“Yeah,” said Harry.

“Well sometimes, greater things come to those who wait just a little bit longer.”

A/N: Okay...so, I wrote Harry a little OOC in this chapter...I don't really have anything to go on about how he'd react to something like this...seeing his parents as “ghosts” is one thing...but memories are different. I hope you all liked it anyway!

Please leave me some of your thoughts! I love hearing them!

Sara


-->

18. Author's Note 2


Hello to you all.

First of all, I must apologize for not updating sooner. It's become such a bad habit. I'm sorry, again! Things have been hectic lately, and I simply haven't been focused on writing this story at all. You can place most of the blame on a horrible professor of mine who insisted on giving me a difficult time all semester. That probably isn't an excuse, but I'm using it.

Anyway, I'm back, things are cooling down (not literally...I live in California after all), classes are over, and I am currently working on the next chapter. I plan on finishing the entire story in a few more chapters, and will be writing them all before posting. You can expect fluff in the next chapter and some wizarding action soon!

Thank you to all who have been reading and reviewing this story. I truly appreciate your time and comments!

Hope to get things moving soon!

Happy Memorial Day!

~Green_Eye_Sparkle16 (Sara) :D


-->

19. Potpourri


A/N: This chapter is a bit pointless. Well...not really ,it's more like a transition. So far things have been relatively easy...no real dealings with Voldemort...I'm working on it. This chapter is a jumbled of things...which is why I named it Potpourri. I hope this keeps you interested. I hope you enjoy this one!

Thanks for stickin' with me!

Sara

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Potpourri

The day somehow had managed to come to an end. It felt like eternity waiting for the sun to set.

After their little `chat' and quick `memory hops', Harry had decided he needed a shower or...something, maybe sleep. Yes, sleep sounded wonderful. He was exhausted. He'd just retained a load full of information and his head was starting to hurt. He was happy that the truth had finally been revealed. However, he still needed more time to digest everything - having a sister, new memories, and another damn piece of foresight. What could it possibly mean? And what greater things would come if he waited?

Harry's thoughts were also on Hermione. He now understood the weight of the secret she had been carrying. It had to have been harder on her than it was even on Liz. Hermione knew him better than anyone else. She was the closest person to him. He imagined having to keep a secret like that from her...it would have nearly killed him. He couldn't be angry with her as much as he had been before. He resolved to taking a shower and a quick nap. After that, he'd be in the hospital wing with Hermione...forgiving her and asking for forgiveness.

Happiness was the overall feeling Liz was retaining, she couldn't be happier to finally have told Harry the truth...in essence it wasn't the whole truth. There was still that tiny little secret she had to keep. But the greater part of the burden of secrets had been lifted. There was time to be at ease. Not complete ease, as they were now in the beginning of war, but having her little brother back in her life was more than she could have ever hoped for. She could sense that Harry, despite his somewhat shallow understanding, had more depth than he was letting on. He needed more time, and she was going to give it to him.

Harry and Liz left the Room of Requirement. It was late in the afternoon, and the rest of the school seemed to still be in the Great Hall. “What is Dumbledore telling them?” Harry asked Liz.

“Your guess is as good as mine. Though, Madame Pomfrey did say she assumed he would tell them the truth. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure he would too. Not the entire truth mind you, but things they certainly need to know.”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “I'm surprised though, that he hasn't come after me or something. Usually in situations like these I'm up in his office by now.”

“I'm sure he'll be talking to you soon,” Liz said. “Very soon.”

They kept walking until they came to a junction. Liz went in one direction - towards the Hospital Wing to talk with Hermione and Ron, and Harry went in the other - to the Head Boy chambers.

When Liz reached the hospital wing, she found Hermione sitting straight up, demanding to go and see Harry. Both Madame Pomfrey and Ron were trying to calm her down. “Lie back down Miss Granger,” Madame Pomfrey kept saying. “You're still in a very weakened condition. You'll not set a foot out of this infirmary until I say so.” Hermione let out a huff and lied back down. Liz came over to her bed, chuckling.

“Liz,” Hermione said, sitting back up. “Where's Harry? Have you seen him? Did you talk to him? Is he alright? What's going on - ”

“Hermione, calm down,” Liz said. “Harry's gone upstairs to get some rest. Yes, we did talk. Everything is fine, and I'm sure Dumbledore will come and tell us what's going on soon.”

“But Harry's not safe by himself! What were you thinking?” Hermione exclaimed.

“Miss Granger, I will have to ask you to keep your voice down,” Madame Pomfrey said bustling out of her office. “Now lie back down.”

Hermione looked at Madame Pomfrey defiantly. She looked like she was about to jump out of bed and run all the way up to Gryffindor Tower to see Harry.

But she didn't. She lied back down as Madame Pomfrey had instructed. “Good,” said Madame Pomfrey, and she returned to her office.

“Hermione, listen,” Liz said calmly. “Harry's really tired. I came in here to tell Ron to go upstairs with him, I don't think he should be alone either.”

Ron looked at Liz and stood up. “So, everything's okay then...between you and Harry?”

“He still needs time to sort through it all, but yes, we're okay.”

Ron nodded and bent down to give Hermione a hug. “Don't worry Hermione,” he said. “He'll be fine.”

Hermione gave him a smile, and Ron walked away to leave the infirmary. “Wait,” Liz said before Ron left. “There is one thing I didn't tell him. I thought you might like to do that.”

Ron gave her a bewildered sort of look. Liz raised her eyebrow and smiled.

Ron knew immediately what she was talking about. “Got it,” he said. And he left the Hospital Wing.

“So,” Liz said, taking a seat on the edge of Hermione's bed. “How are you feeling?

“I'm worried,” Hermione said anxiously. “I just - I want to see Harry.”

“Hermione, I mean physically, how are you feeling?”

“Oh,” Hermione said slowly. “I'm just a little sore. H- He hit me with that curse so many times.” Tears were forming in her eyes quickly. “I - I just wanted to die. He even tried choking me, but for some reason he pulled away and hit me with another curse. It only got worse after that.”

Liz was tearing up too. She could literally feel the pain Hermione had been through, and it hurt badly. “Hermione - ”

“No, I - I don't want to talk about it...I just want to forget it.”

“Okay,” Liz said, taking Hermione's hand in her's. Feeling that Hermione was in more mental pain than physical, Liz decided to comfort her with some words of encouragement. “Hermione, listen to me, everything is going to be okay.” said Liz. “I believe with all my heart that Harry will end this. I know he'll defeat him.”

Hermione sniffled. “Me too.”

Liz smiled tenderly at Hermione and gave her a hug. When she pulled away, she noticed something around Hermione's neck. “What is that?” she asked.

Hermione looked down. “This?” she asked, pointing at the necklace Harry had given to her on Christmas morning.

“Yeah,” Liz said, bewildered. “Where did you get that?”

“Harry gave it to me.”

Liz examined Hermione's necklace more closely.

“And you said Voldemort tried to choke you...with his hands and pulled away quickly?” Liz asked.

“Yes,” Hermione said. “Why?”

“What did Harry say to you when he gave you the necklace?”

“I don't remember...I love you?” Hermione answered.

“No...he had to have said something else. Think Hermione...did he say anything about...family?”

Holding onto the pendant that dangled from the threadlike chain, Hermione thought for a moment, trying to recall what Harry had said to her that morning. Instantly, she was transported out of the infirmary. Before her feet even hit the ground, she knew exactly where she was. At home. She was standing in the family room, she and her past self. This was Christmas only a short while ago. Her past self was holding up a tiny Christmas present that was for Harry. Hermione smiled, remembering how wonderful it had been to have Harry with her over Christmas break. Just then, past Harry walked through the door into the family room. Hermione watched her memory unfold right before her eyes. Harry had just given her his gift. Hermione remembered what Liz had asked, and listened closely.

She watched herself sit down on the sofa and unwrap the tiny package, then pull out the necklace. Hermione waited as her past self tried to give back the necklace until Harry spoke. She stepped closer to hear him.

“Hermione, look, there's only going to be two women in my life. My mother and you. I wanted you to have this, you're the love of my life My family.”

Hermione smiled and twiddled the necklace hanging from her neck. In an instant, she was transported back to the infirmary, where Liz was chuckling. Hermione had landed square on her bed.

“About bloody time!” Liz said.

“What?” Hermione asked. “How did I - ?”

“I figured that was going to happen,” Liz said, smiling at Hermione. “So, what exactly did Harry say?”

Hermione looked at Liz, now partially understanding what had just happened. “He said I was his family.”

Liz gave her a toothy grin.

“So, this is - this - ,” Hermione stammered, pulling off the necklace.

“Did Harry tell you where he got it?”

“In your parents' vault at Gringotts,” Hermione said. Her expression was that of extreme befuddlement.

Liz laughed lightly and took the necklace from her. “This necklace,” she said. “Is for Harry's wife.”

Hermione's eyes bulged. Liz laughed and explained.

“Whenever a baby is born in the Potter family, two of those secret gems are placed in pendants and/or rings. One for the Potter, and another for their spouse. Usually, when the two are married, the Potter proclaims their beloved as family, and gives them the ring or pendant. In Harry's and your case,” Liz said smiling. “He just did it a bit early.”

Hermione looked up and took the necklace from Liz. She stared at it for a moment as Liz put a hand on her shoulder. “Welcome to the family,” Liz said, standing up. Hermione looked up at her. She was still in a state of surprise rather than shock about what had just happened. Liz chuckled, gave her a hug and said that she was going to speak with Madame Pomfrey.

Hermione simply sat on her bed, still rather shocked by such news. She had Harry's protection with her always.

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

Harry walked wearily up the stairs to the Head Boy's chambers. He was so very tired. All he wanted to do was take his shower and crawl into bed. That would have to wait. Harry had almost made it all the way to his chambers without being disturbed - which was odd, considering there were hundreds of students at Hogwarts. Harry wondered briefly where they all were before Ron came barreling around a corner. “Glad I caught up with you,” he said.

“Hi,” Harry said.

There was an awkward silence before either of them spoke.

“So, how are you?” Ron asked.

“Erm..alright I suppose,” Harry replied.

“Good.”

“Yeah.”

Another small gap of silence. Harry didn't know what to say to Ron. It'd seemed like such a long time since they'd last spoken.

“Hermione really misses you,” Ron finally said.

“Really,” Harry responded. Hermione's name had jump-started his heart. He suddenly wanted to run to the hospital wing and hold her. A shower and sleep could wait.

“Yeah,” Liz practically had to restrain her from jumping out of bed.”

“Then, I should go talk with her right now,” Harry said, darting forward, but Ron held him back.

“No mate, you need to get some rest.”

“But- Hermione...”.

“She's fine. Liz stayed with her.”

Harry took a deep breath. “Okay,” he said, putting his hands into his pockets and leaning up against the stone wall. He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind.

“Harry,” Ron said apprehensively.

“Yeah?”

“Liz left out one little thing for me to tell you.”

“Oh really? Honestly Ron, I don't think I could take much more today.”

“Oh, alright then,” Ron muttered. Luckily, the disappointment in his voice was disguised by an understanding tone. He knew Harry had been through a lot, but he'd sort of hoped that this news would be somewhat of a tension reliever.

The two slowly began to climb the stairs, when Harry stopped suddenly, and turned to Ron. “On second thought, you might as well just tell me tonight. I think tomorrow I'd like it to be rid of all the secrets.

Ron's face lit up. “Well, I think you'll be happy to know that this particular secret isn't really about you.”

“Really?” Harry said, doubtfully.

“Really,” Ron said with a huge grin on his face. “This one's actually about...”

There was a suspenseful pause.

“Who?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Well, Liz, actually.”

Harry waved him off...“it's sort of the same thing Ron. There have been a LOAD of secrets about Liz.”

“Well, this one's different,” Ron said. “This one is pretty big!”

“Well, what is it then?” Harry said a little louder than he intended.

Ron looked at him, “Liz is married,” he said.

“To who?”

“Charlie.”

“Charlie? Charlie! Your brother Charlie?”

“Yep,” said Ron, with a smirk on his face.

Harry thought for a moment. “So, this means that Charlie's my...brother-in-law. And so...you and I are like...”

“Brothers.”

“Brothers,” Harry repeated.

“Yep,” said Ron. “We're really family now, mate.”

Harry did the only thing that came to mind, and gave Ron a hug. “Family,” he said solemnly.

Nearly an hour later, Harry and Ron had finished talking in the Head Boy's common room. The new “brothers” concluded that it was best if Harry got some sleep. Ron promised to go down to the hospital wing and check on Hermione while Harry took his shower and hopped into bed for a little rest. Then, he'd go see his Hermione.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Later that night, Hermione waited until Madame Pomfrey had gone to sleep before creeping out of her bed. After slipping on her slippers, and grabbing her wand from the side table, she slowly eased her way to the infirmary's exit. She placed a silencing charm on the large oak door so that it wouldn't creak, then slid out into the corridor. The air in the hall was crisp and chilly. She immediately regretted not grabbing a cloak, or a small blanket. However, she was on her way now, she needed to get to her destination. She couldn't wait any longer.

She rounded a corner and made her way up a flight of stairs. Upon reaching the next floor, she heard a noise, and pressed herself up against a wall, listening closely for the sound again.

Nothing.

After several seconds, she crept further in the direction of where she wanted to be. A few minutes later, she stood in front of a large portrait of a dog and a young boy. “Quidditch Seeker,” she said clearly, and the portrait door swung open. She tip-toed through the Head Boy's common room and into the bedroom where she found Harry sleeping peacefully. He was lying on his back, the moonlight illuminating his tired face. Hermione moved closer to him and bent down to kiss his cheek. “I love you, Harry,” she whispered. She ran a hand through his hair, dragging it down the side of his face and brushing his lips. She let her fingers linger there, and felt him shiver.

She went around to the other side of the bed, pulled down the sheets and slipped into bed with him. Lying flat on her stomach, she draped an arm across his chest, and nuzzled herself up against him, resting her head right under his chin. Hermione had done this so many times, she knew how to get comfortable without waking him. However, this time Harry felt the new presence and he moved closer.

With his eyes still closed, he turned onto his side, instinctively wrapping his arms around the familiar form next to him. “Mmm, Hermione,” he moaned.

Hermione smiled, “Yes, it's me Harry,” she whispered. Harry rolled over onto his side and slowly opened his eyes and smiled.

And then...

“Hermione!” he said, sitting straight up, realizing what she had done. “What are you doing here? Did you come all the way up here by yourself? Why? What were you thinking? Someone could have taken you again! Something could've happened!”

At first, Hermione couldn't speak, but she soon found her words. “Harry, I - I couldn't stay away from you any longer,” Hermione said, sitting up. Tears began streaming down her face. “Liz said you'd come and when you didn't I got worried. Ron said you were probably just sleeping, but I just...I just couldn't - ”

“Shh,” Harry said, pulling her into his arms and mentally slapping himself for making her cry. He stroked her back as she sobbed. “I'm sorry, Hermione.” he said. “I just - I just can't let anything happen to you again. If you had - if he had - ” Harry was battling the tears that were coming. He pulled back, to look at her. “If anything happens to you again Hermione, I - I don't know if I'll be able to take it.”

Hermione was trembling in his arms. “I know Harry, I feel the same way about you. My entire life, I've felt the same way, and I just want you to be as careful as you want me to be. If I lose you...I - I'll have nothing.”

Harry brought a hand up to her face and caressed her soft cheek with the pad of his thumb, brushing the tears away from her eyes. “Shh...don't cry, love,” he said. “Everything's going to be fine.”

“How do you know Harry?” Hermione said, stifling her tears. “That vision Liz had - ”

“Doesn't change anything,” Harry said, looking into her eyes. “I don't know that everything will turn out fine, but I have to believe that it will be. And so do you.”

Hermione looked at him, fear deep in her eyes. She couldn't lose him, but she had to have faith in him. “I do Harry,” she whispered.

He kissed her forehead and leaned back against the headboard. Hermione crawled to him and sat between his legs. He wrapped his arms around the front of her stomach and held her to him, making sure she felt safe.

She did.

Hermione leaned her head back against his shoulder and closed her eyes. She put her hands on his and let their fingers enlace.

Harry rested his cheek on her head and inhaled the scent of her hair. Sweet apples...she always smelled of apples. After all that had happened, a simple smell and her hand in his eased his mind. No doubt he still had worry weighing on him, but Hermione comforted him in ways she didn't even know.

The two slowly slid further down the bed until their heads rested on the soft pillows. Harry, with his arms around her. Hermione with her head on his chest. It was familiar. It was safe. It was home.

“We need to talk,” Hermione whispered.

“Not tonight,” Harry sighed. He kissed her forehead and squeezed her gently. “Just sleep.”

Hermione nuzzled herself to his chest more comfortably, taking in his scent. He smelled of soap - a familiar smell that Hermione was used to waking up to. Usually Harry took showers before bed, and he always smelled like soap. It soothed her, and she surrendered to sleep, lying in Harry's loving arms.

The day had finally dwindled down.

The conclusion:

Tonight was for them, and everything else could wait.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

In the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

“Professor, did you talk to him? Did you tell him?” There was sadness in the young woman's voice.

“No, I have not yet spoken with him.”

“When will you - ”

“In the morning, Elizabeth. In the morning. Right now, you know as well as I, that he and Miss Granger deserve...need this night together.”

As Dumbledore turned in the moonlight, Liz saw the tears trickling from the old wizard's eyes. Her own eyes soon stung with tears.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

A/N: Okay...well, I know I've been HORRIBLE at updating this story. For that, all I can say is I'M SORRY! My heart just hasn't been in it lately, and it's just been frustrating. I'm planning on finishing up the story in about 3 more chapters and possibly an Epilogue. I hope I haven't lost you all and that you'll come back to finish the story when I return with the final chapters.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

Thanks so much for reading thus far.

Sara

P.s. Questions you might have about the story:

#1 Where in the world was Dumbledore?

#2 Where are all the other teachers?

#3 Where's Luna been in all of this?

#4 Where in the world have all the students gone? They can't still be in the Great Hall, can they?

#5 What happened with Bellatrix?

#6 Why hasn't Voldemort sent out more “minions” (DE's)?

#7 Fighting. When's it gonna happen?

#8 What is the THINGS are MORE important if one waits a LITTLE BIT LONGER?

#9 What in the heck are Liz and Dumbledore talking about NOW?

I know you have more, but bear with me, please! I'll give you your answers in due time!

~Sara


-->

20. A/N (Read Top First!!!!)


I've read HBP...and I need you all to decide something for me.

PLEASE, DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY READ HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!

I'LL GIVE YOU A LITTLE TIME.....THERE ARE SPOILERS DOWN THERE.

*

**

***

****

*****

******

*******

********

*********

**********

*********

********

*******

******

*****

****

***

**

*

**

***

****

*****

******

*******

********

*********

**********

*********

********

*******

******

*****

****

***

**

*

**

***

****

*****

******

*******

********

*********

**********

*********

********

*******

******

*****

****

***

**

*

~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~~<*>~

After the release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, our world of PUMPKIN PIE fan fiction has changed drastically..

Alright, due to the fact that HBP changes EVERYTHING....I've decided I would leave it up to you all....

Here are the options:

# 1 I go on with the story, as planned. (Which, I think you all might like anyway.)

# 2 I tweak the whole story to fit what HBP changes.

# 3 I tweak the whole story to fit what HBP changes....and DD is STILL ALIVE!

And of course, the last two options will definitely “explain” the weird H/G thing HBP had goin' on.

I'd really like to know what you all think. I want to continue this story, I don't want to believe that our ship has sunk. I like to believe that we've only sprung a leak (Ginny). We can fix that!!!

I'm staying aboard this ship forever. Even if in the future (book 7) we actually sink. But I mustn't talk of such things. It's all gonna be fine.

Thank you to all who have been reading this story. It really means a lot to me.

Please let me know how you feel about this. I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Sara


-->