Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Rating: R
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 17/01/2005
Last Updated: 15/05/2005
Status: Completed

20 or so years after that fateful summer at Hillsdale, Harry, Hermione and everyone else are invited back to Hillsdale for a reunion. Chiaki struggles about meeting her father that gave her up so easily, Seamus and Lavender face each other for the first time since their break up 15 years previous. Harry and Hermione revisit their favourite spots and Julie Potter hopes to find romance just like her parents did. Will Nick Malfoy be the one to open her heart? Will Hillsdale work its magic all over again for every couple? H/H, R/L, D/G, N/C and much more!!!

1. Oh How the Years Go By

A/N: Here it is...the last story in the DD-verse. From the reviews we received for At Last, you guys don't seem to want a Potter/Malfoy pairing...but keep an open mind. You haven't met Nick Malfoy yet and he may or may not be like his parents. Also, we mentioned only Harry/Hermione's daughter in the preview...that doesn't mean they don't have any more kid(s). Keep an open mind and enjoy the last story...

You won’t see everyone in this chapter yet- but there’s loads more to come! Please leave us a review and let us know what you think!

Oh How the Years Go By – Vanessa Williams

Oh how the years go by
Oh how the love brings tears to my eyes
All through the changes, the soul never dies
We fight, we laugh, we cry
As the years go by

Hermione Potter listened intently as the raven-haired, seven-year old boy talked animatedly to her about his last day of school. Everyday he resembled his father more and more in both appearance and personality.

"Mum, can I stay up late tonight since I don't have to go to school anymore?" Ethan asked hopefully.

She smiled and ruffled her son's hair. "I suppose you can since you got such wonderful marks," Hermione smiled fondly at him. "Did you already show your father?"

Ethan shook his head. "He's been in his office since we came home. Do you think he'd mind if I interrupted him?"

"I don't think so," Hermione replied. "And if you see your sister tell her I want to talk to her about her party all right love?"

Ethan nodded and took off at nearly breakneck speed for his father's study not even bothering to listen to Hermione's warning not to run in the house. "Daddy!" Ethan yelled loudly, pounding on the door.

Harry got up from his desk. "What's wrong Ethan?" he asked, frowning.

Ethan smiled coyly at his dad and handed Harry a piece of parchment.

"What's this?" Harry adjusted his glasses. "Hey!" a grin broke out on his face. "Way to go son!"

"Thanks, Dad," Ethan said, giving his father a hug. "You know that you said you'd take me flying if I got top marks and I did so...."

"You've got yourself a deal," Harry nodded. "When do you want to go?"

"Now," Ethan answered without a moment's hesitation.

Harry laughed. "All right," he said. "Let me finish up some work here and then we'll head out. Go tell your Mum where we're going."

"You think she and Julie will want to come along?" Ethan asked, but he started laughing. His mother and sister were notorious for their fear of flying. Hermione would only go up with Harry and never by herself. "They could probably just watch, right Dad?"

"Probably," Harry winked. "Ten minutes all right?"

Ethan nodded happily and took off for his room to get ready. Harry stood in the door, watching his son with an amused expression on his face.

"Are you going to take him flying?" Hermione asked coming down the hall.

"Yes," Harry went back to his desk. "Told him I would if he got good marks."

"He was so excited when I picked him up today," Hermione said, sitting down on the edge of his desk. "He couldn't talk about anything else on the way home."

Harry grinned. "We sure got blessed with a good set of kids didn't we?" it was more of a statement than a question.

Hermione smiled at her husband. There was no need to answer. They both knew how lucky they were to be together and to have two smart, healthy, well-adjusted children.

"Mum Ethan said you wanted to see me," Brown haired Julie Potter came into the office.

"Hey, sweetheart," Hermione said, smiling at her daughter. "You still haven't told me what you wanted to do for your birthday."

"The party," Julie replied. "I thought that's what we agreed on."

"We did," Hermione said. "But you didn't say if you wanted to have it here with just the family or if you wanted to do something on your own with your friends."

"Friends and family," Julie replied.

Hermione grinned, pleased. "And don't worry. I promise not to cook."

Harry nodded. "That's a good thing," he replied. "We'll have it catered, or me and Neville will make dinner. You make the decisions here sweetheart, it's your birthday," he put an arm around his daughter. "I can't believe you're turning 20."

"That's because it means you’re getting older, too," Julie teased.

"Hey I still look as good as I did at your age," Harry said.

"With a bigger ego," Julie retorted, with a grin.

"She's got you there, love," Hermione said laughing.

Harry shook his head. "You two get out of here so I can get this done and take Ethan flying. Unless of course the two of you would like to go up with us?" he asked wickedly. "Make it a family outing?"

"No thank you," Julie said, shaking her head. "I prefer my feet on the ground, thank you very much."

"You're as chicken as your Mum," Harry teased.

"We're not being chicken---we're being sensible," Julie said, looking at her mother who nodded in agreement. "Besides, you're just upset that I didn't carry on the Potter tradition with Quidditch. At least, Ethan's as excited about it as you are."

"Excited?" Hermione asked. "He's as obsessed as Ron."

"You both say that as if it's a bad thing," Harry protested. "Out!" he pointed to the door.

"Okay, okay," Hermione said. "Come on, Julie. We'll go and grab a snack and chat."

Julie followed her mother downstairs. "I don't know where I want to have the party," she said thoughtfully.

"We could always have it here," Hermione suggested. "You know how Neville and Harry love to use that grill your Grandpa Granger bought for us."

"That's fine," Julie agreed. "You know, sometimes I miss that old cottage where we lived before Ethan was born, but I love this place."

"I love this place, too," Hermione said, sitting down across from her daughter. "But I know what you mean. We had some wonderful times at that cottage."

"Well it was yours and Dad's first home together," Julie sighed as her mother got them both some pumpkin juice.

"It was so hard to let it go," Hermione said wistfully. "But, once we had Ethan, the cottage was too small for the four of us and the Ministry gave us this place. You remember how dreary it was when we first moved in, don't you?"

"Do I ever," Julie laughed. "No lights anywhere, all the furniture covered in sheets... I was scared."

"You wouldn't sleep in your room for weeks," Hermione said, giggling. "You were convinced this place was haunted."

"I still think it's haunted," Julie said. "I'm just not scared anymore."

"DADDY!" Ethan yelled coming into the room, startling both Hermione and Julie. "I'M READY!" He looked at his mother and older sister. "Where's dad? He didn't change his mind, did he?"

"No love he's still in his office," Hermione replied.

Ethan sank down on the chair. "He's been in there all day."

"How would you know?" Julie asked, squeezing her brother's cheeks, which she knew he hated. "You've been in school all day. Good job on your marks, little man."

Ethan pushed her hands away. "Don't squeeze me!" he said.

"But you have the cutest little cheeks," Julie said, making a move toward him again.

"Mum, make her stop," Ethan said, pulling away.

"Julie," Hermione was laughing. "Come on now," she slid an arm around Ethan. "We all know how fun it is to tease him..."

"It's not any fun for me," Ethan said. "It's bad enough that Mum hugged me in front of all my friends when she picked me up today."

"Oh dear me," Hermione's eyes twinkled. "Should I have kissed you instead?"

"NO!" Ethan said, shaking his head.

"Ethan, trust me on this---getting hugged by your mum in front of your friends is not a bad thing," Harry said coming into the kitchen. "Getting kissed by her isn't that bad, either."

Ethan rolled his eyes, but Julie couldn't help smiling at the way her parents still were romantic with each other after over 20 years of marriage.

"That's right," Hermione replied. "And someday you'll find a witch you'll marry and she'll be kissing you in front of everyone and you won't care."

"Ewww," Ethan said, shaking his head. "I'm never getting married to some stupid girl."

They all laughed. "Come on Ethan James," Harry said. "Otherwise your Mum won't let you fly after dark."

"There was some owl post for you by the door," Hermione said, smiling at Harry. "You might want to look at it before you head out. Could be something important."

"I'll take a look when we get back," Harry knew his son was impatient. "If it was urgent they'd have sent it to the office."

"Okay," Hermione said, kissing Harry on the cheek. "Be careful with my baby."

"Mum!" Ethan said in exasperation.

"We'll be fine," Harry pinched her as he and Ethan left.

Julie laughed as the door closed behind them. "You and Dad are so funny with one another."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, sitting back down.

"Just that you're so open with one another," Julie said wistfully. "Most parents hide their romance from their kids but you and Dad are so open with it. Not that you're gross about it or anything, and I guess I'm not embarrassed about it because it's always been that way... but I blame you both for my high standards," she teased.

"Your standards should be high," Hermione said. "You shouldn't just settle for someone, Julie. I know you're still hurting about what happened with Ryan..."

Julie frowned at the mention of her ex Muggle boyfriend. She had been rather serious with him and decided to divulge the secrets of the Wizarding World and her true heritage. After telling him everything, Ryan had gotten freaked out and broken things off, resulting in her father having to memory charm him and set him back before they even met. "I'm trying not to think about him anymore," she said quietly.

"It's his loss, Julie," Hermione said, patting her daughter on the hand. "And I'm not just saying that because I'm your Mum. You're a great girl and a wonderful daughter and any bloke would be lucky to have you."

"Thanks," Julie smiled at her mother.

"And if you wait another two years, Josh Weasley will be of age in the Wizarding World," Hermione teased. "You know he's crazy about you..."

Julie covered her face with her hands. "He's too much like family!" she said. "I feel bad about that... and I try not to give him any encouragement..."

"He's been in love with you for how many years now?" Hermione asked, winking at her daughter. "Let's see...since that time you stuck up for him at school his first year?"

"I know," Julie moaned. "But I had to! Look how close our families are- I'd have never heard the end of it if I hadn't done anything!"

"You never know," Hermione said, getting to her feet. "He may be over you by now. We haven't seen them in a few months, but Luna did say that they were going to come for your birthday."

"Well I hope he is," Julie said. "And not to be mean here, but nothing would ever happen there."

"I'm sure Josh knows that, too," Hermione said, pouring Julie some more juice. "Just don't be mean to him."

"I've never been mean to him!" Julie replied. "I just don't encourage him!"

Hermione laughed and knew that her daughter really didn't have to do anything to encourage Josh. He pretty much thought Julie walked on water.

"I think I'm going to head upstairs and answer some of my post," Hermione said. "Those reforms I proposed about house elf rights didn't go over too well with some of my colleagues."

"Okay," Julie replied. "I'll start making lists for the party then.” She paused. “I think Aunt Cho and Chiaki are coming over in just a little while too.”

Hermione nodded and walked upstairs to her own office and it didn't take too long for her to get bogged down in answering her own owl post. She leaned back in her comfy chair and closed her eyes and wondered absently what they would all do for dinner. She was contemplating going downstairs and making her famous lasagne (still the only meal she was truly able to make) when she heard a commotion downstairs.

Julie screamed when she saw the diamond on her best friend's finger. "You're ENGAGED?" she screeched. "When did this happen?"

"Just a couple of hours ago," Chiaki said, hugging her friend. "He did it right after we finished up our rehearsal for the afternoon. Can you believe that? He stood up in front of the entire dance company and asked me!"

"That's wonderful!" Julie squealed. "How exciting!"

Cho smiled at her. "I can't believe my baby girl is getting married."

"Mum, we haven't even set a date yet," Chiaki said grinning at her. "We just got engaged two hours ago. No need to start sending out the invitations just yet or picking out china patterns. Dad doesn't even know yet."

"What's going on down here?" Hermione descended the stairs. "I heard a lot of screaming and I thought something was wrong."

"Chiaki's engaged, Mum!" Julie said excitedly, leading her best friend over by the ring finger to Hermione. "Look at that!"

"Chiaki!" Hermione exclaimed. "How lovely!" she gave the younger girl a hug.

"Thanks, Aunt Hermione," Chiaki said, smiling. In fact, she hadn't stopped smiling since the moment Toshio Hanari had placed the ring on her finger. They'd been dating for nearly a year and had been friends for even longer. They'd met in one of her mum's dance classes and the relationship had grown from there.

"Feels like yesterday you were just born," Cho said emotionally.

"If you're like this after she's been engaged for not even a day, how are you going to manage the wedding without crying your eyes out, Aunt Cho?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Wait until Harry finds out," Hermione smiled. "He'll go into protective godfather mode."

"About what?" Harry asked, coming in the door with Ethan in tow.

"I hate to break it to you, Uncle Harry," Chiaki said, smiling broadly at her godfather. "But some unfortunate soul asked me to marry him and I couldn't turn him down..."

Harry's eyes widened. "You're engaged? You're too young for that!"

Hermione laughed at her husband. "We were younger than that when we got married love," she replied. "I don't think you're going to win this case."

"That's not the point," Harry said, frowning. "We were much more mature than Chiaki...."

Cho chortled and covered her mouth with her hand to stop from bursting out into giggles.

"What?" Harry turned on her.

"Just the idea of you calling yourself 'mature'," Cho answered simply. "It just struck me as amusing is all."

"Funny," Harry said. "Congratulations love," he kissed his goddaughter's cheek. "I want to talk to this bloke as soon as possible."

"He'll be at Julie's party," Chiaki said. "And you and Uncle Ron better be nice to him."

"What did Neville say?" Harry asked.

"They haven't told him yet," Julie answered, giggling.

"He took Frankie and Allison to Diagon Alley," Cho explained. Frankie and Allison were Chiaki's younger sisters, who had just returned from Hogwarts a few days ago.

"Well come on," Julie prodded her best friend's side a few minutes later when the adults and Ethan went into the kitchen. "Who's your maid of honour?"

"Hmmm," Chiaki said, pretending to think really hard about that. "I could always ask Justine Davies."

"Justine Davies!" Julie asked, scoffing. "She's an evil cow. You're not going to ask her, are you?"

Chiaki burst out laughing. "No you're right, I'm not. I was thinking of Eva Lawrence..."

Julie glared at her. "You are so mean!"

Chiaki giggled. "You know I'm going to ask you, Jules."

Julie's face relaxed. "That's better," she grinned. "And I very happily accept!" she hugged Chiaki. "You're getting married! I just can't believe this!"

"Neither can I," Chiaki admitted. "I feel so grown up all of a sudden."

"You have to give me details," Julie's eyes sparkled. She was a notorious romantic much like her Aunt Lavender.

"He was being really secretive all day," Chiaki said. "I thought he was kind of cross with me, actually. Anyway, I thought once rehearsal was over, we'd go and get coffee and talk about whatever had him so upset, but the moment we finished dancing...he stood up and told the company he had an announcement to make. He said I was the best thing in his life and he never wanted to know what life without me would be like. It's pretty sappy, I know, but I nearly died. Then, he pulls the ring out and asked me!"

"That's so sweet," Julie gushed. "Toshio is so fantastic. I'm really happy for both of you!"

Cho could hear the excited laughter coming from the kitchen and she couldn't help grinning. She and Hermione were sitting on the sofa in the sitting room, while Harry went through the owl post. Ethan was trying to tell his mother about the flying lesson.

"I can't believe you took him up so high, Harry," Hermione chastised her husband. "It's a good thing I wasn't there to see it..."

"Mum it was fun!" Ethan replied. "I'm not scared about being up high!"

"I'm scared about you being up so high," Hermione said, tickling her son. "I can't help it, Ethan. I'm a mother. Mothers worry."

"Well, you're really great at that," Ethan said, laughing.

Harry grinned at his wife. "He's got you there love," he mimicked her words from earlier that evening.

"Touché," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Aunt Cho?" Ethan asked. "Is Kiki really getting married?"

Ethan had always called Chiaki "Kiki" since he'd not been able to say her name right when he was a toddler. The name had stuck and that was what he'd always called her. In fact, Ethan was the only one allowed to call her that name.

"Yes Ethan she is," Cho smoothed back his wild black hair.

"Does that mean she won't come over and visit like she always does?" Ethan asked sitting down between his mother and Cho.

"I'm sure she'll be around," Cho smiled at him. "She's going to ask Julie to be her maid of honour so they'll be doing loads of planning."

"They've probably mapped out the entire wedding themselves," Hermione joked. She looked over at Harry who was looking at some sort of card with a dazed expression on his face.

"What have you got there, Harry?" she asked.

Harry didn't answer her at first. "We're being invited back to Hillsdale..." he said finally.

"Hillsdale?" Hermione asked. "But I thought the place closed down for good years ago?"

"No," Harry shook his head. He looked at Cho. "Do you remember Steve Van Ark?" he asked. "He was one of the head waiters, went to Hogwarts with us the last year of school?"

"Sure," Cho said, "but what does he have to do with this?"

"He bought Hillsdale," Harry said slowly. "Last year... after Vernon died."

"You're joking!" Cho exclaimed. "So what is he doing? Having some sort of staff reunion?"

"Well... Harry sat down by his wife. "Vernon left the place to Dudley, who obviously knows nothing about running a business so he sold it to Steve. Steve's inviting all the employees back for a reunion of sorts," he nodded at Cho.

"There's not that many people I'd care to see," Cho said frowning. For the most part, she'd enjoyed the company of her co-workers, but as they said one bad apple could always spoil the bunch and her mind immediately went to Draco Malfoy.

"It might be kind of fun," Harry mused, much to Hermione's surprise.

"You really want to go to that?" Hermione asked.

"For some reason," Harry shrugged. "I don't know... I always liked Hillsdale, I just didn't like working for Vernon."

"I think everyone pretty much felt that way," Cho agreed. "But I just don't know..."

"Wouldn't you like to go and show off how well we've all done?" Harry asked.

"Who would care," Hermione replied. "Honestly, do you really think Dudley will be there, or Draco or Ginny?"

"Shhhh," Cho said, hoping that Chiaki hadn't heard them. Chiaki knew who Draco Malfoy was and what he was to her, but she hadn't made any inquiry about wanting to get to know her biological father even though Cho suspected Chiaki did want to know what he was really like, but out of respect for Neville, she hadn't really said much.

"It's not that," Cho said, shaking her head. "I just don't think it’s a good idea. Besides, Neville wouldn't be able to get away and I have classes...."

Harry looked at the sheet of parchment again. "He wants us to come for a month," he read. "If I can get off I'm sure Neville can."

"Well I certainly can't leave my duties for a month," Hermione replied. "In case you'd forgotten Harry, I'm Minister for Magic. Things don't run themselves." Cho nodded agreement.

"But---," Harry started to say.

"If you want to go that's fine with me," Hermione said, standing up. "But I'm up to my ears in reforms, Harry. I couldn't possibly get away."

She took her son by his hand. "Come on, Ethan. Let's go get you cleaned up."

Harry watched them head for the loo and turned back to Cho. "She can get away," he replied. "She just doesn't want to go."

"She is Minister for Magic, Harry," Cho reiterated. "If she says she can't go, I'd believe her. Though to tell you the truth, we rarely see her much these days. She's turned into a bit of a workaholic lately."

"I know," Harry sighed. "That's part of the reason I think this is such a good idea. Get her away for awhile, get our spark back..."

"What's it been?" Cho asked sarcastically. "Two hours since the last time you shagged?"

"Three days thank you," Harry said in the same tone. "You and Neville are ones to talk Cho."

"Three days?" Cho asked, pretending to be shocked. "That's a bit of a record for you, isn't it?"

"Sod off," Harry said. "But really now... if you said you were going it might soften Hermione up a bit..." he glanced at her with a devilish look in his eyes.

"Harry," Cho said, shaking her head. "I'm not going to go..."

"Come on Cho..." Harry's eyes turned pleading. "You know it'll give you and Neville time to be alone. I'll bet they've got a place for the kids so we won't even see them the whole time we're there..."

"Harry!" Cho exclaimed. "So you want to go there and just let Ethan run rampant around the grounds without knowing what he's getting into just so you can....well, there goes your nomination for father of the year."

"That's not what I mean and you know it," Harry replied.

"I'll think about it," Cho said, standing up. "But for now...I need to get home so we can break the news about the engagement to Neville."

"You know he'll go if you say you want to," Harry was relentless.

"I said I'll THINK about it," Cho said, kissing him on the cheek. "And that's it."

Chiaki came into the room followed by Julie. "Hey, Dad?" Julie asked, smiling at her dad. "I'm going to go with them so I can see Uncle Neville's reaction."

Harry laughed. "You'd better bring back lots of details then," he kissed his daughter on top of the head.

"Will do," Julie said as she and Chiaki made their way for the door. Cho picked up her bag and gave her best friend a stern look. "I will think about it, Harry. That's all I can promise you right now, okay?"

"All right," Harry said a bit sullenly.

After Cho left, Harry went back into the kitchen and studied over the invitation. Hermione came into the room laughing.

"Your son is so stubborn," she said. "It took me nearly fifteen minutes to get him into the bathtub."

"He's me all over again," Harry grinned proudly.

"And he couldn't stop telling me about his flying lesson," Hermione said, sitting down at the kitchen table. She was knackered from a long day at work and she felt somewhat guilty about not being around as much the past couple of weeks.

"He loves it up there," Harry replied, his eyes skimming over the page he held.

"And he said that you promised that next time you went up you were going to teach him that Wonky-Feint thing," Hermione said, leaning back in the chair and closing her eyes. "I think he's far too young to be doing stunts like that."

"He has no fear," Harry replied. "And I'm there to watch him in case anything happens. And it's Wronski Feint Hermione."

"Whatever," Hermione said with a light laugh. "I think I might just grab a bite to eat on my way back to the office."

"Hermione," Harry said as she got up. "I'd really like to go back for this."

Hermione nodded. "I hope you have a nice time."

"Hermione!" Harry said more sharply. "I'd like us all to go as a family."

"I can't get away, Harry!" Hermione retorted. "This is a really bad time. Besides, if you wanted to take Julie and Ethan, I'm sure they'd love that. You don't need my permission."

"I'd also like it to be a holiday for the two of us," Harry replied pointedly. "Since when did you become too busy for your husband and children?"

"That's not fair!" Hermione exclaimed defensively. "I always have time for you and the kids."

"Not lately," Harry replied. "And it's not like you'd never be able to get back if you needed to do something, we're not going across the ocean or anything."

Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes. "Have you really felt that I've been neglecting you?"

Harry felt bad when he saw her tears. "You never neglect us," he said softly, pulling her into his arms. "It's just that we've both been so busy lately I start to feel like we're all strangers. I think getting away for a little while could do us some good."

"We have," Hermione admitted. "And we haven't gone on holiday in...two years! Oh, Harry! We haven't gone on holiday since I took office!"

He chuckled. "No we haven't, and it hasn't occurred to me until tonight."

"It would be nice to get away," she admitted.

"I'm sure he's got a Floo connection there," Harry said. "That way if you have to come back for something you can..."

Hermione cut him off by kissing him softly. She couldn't help marvelling at the fact that kissing him still gave her a thrill after all these years. Kissing him had never gotten old and she didn't imagine that it ever would.

"Ewww!" Ethan had come into the kitchen for something to eat and discovered his parents snogging.

"Sorry, little man," Harry said, reluctantly pulling away from his wife. "We thought you were in the bath."

"I was," Ethan replied. "I'm hungry!"

"What did you feel like eating?" Hermione asked, deciding at that moment to not go back to the office tonight.

"Fish and chips," Ethan named his favourite food.

"Ethan," Harry said. "You ate that last night and the night before. Don't you want to try something else?"

"No," Ethan grinned at his father.

"I thought about making lasagne," Hermione said.

"I thought you were going back to work?" Harry asked, smiling at his wife.

"Nah," Hermione smiled back at him. "The rest of the owl post can wait till morning."

"Yay! Mummy's staying home!" Ethan said, raising his fists in the air.

Hermione laughed and kissed her son on the head. "Want to help me?" she asked.

Ethan nodded and walked over to the icebox and began helping his mother pull out the ingredients.

"Harry?" Hermione asked. "You don't think that they'd go do you?"

Harry looked up. "I don't know," he said thoughtfully. "Probably not, after the way they 'left'."

Hermione smiled. "Good. Because I think if I ever saw her again, I'd want to push her in the lake."

"That goes double for me," Harry smiled back at her, happy that they'd have some time alone in the near future.

"Who does Mummy want to push in the lake?" Ethan asked curiously.

Harry and Hermione both laughed. "Never you mind," Hermione ruffled her son's hair.

"So Ethan...how would you feel about going on holiday to this great big resort?" Harry asked. "It's got a huge lake and these really great woods where you can go on nature hikes and it's also the place I met your mum."

Ethan nodded. "Okay," he said. "Can we go flying there?" he didn't care much for the lake part. He hated water.

"I imagine we could," Harry answered. "And you'd probably get to see Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna and I'm working on getting Cho to go as well..."

"What about Aunt Lavender?" Ethan asked. "She doesn't come around anymore."

"She's really busy with her boutiques and her designs," Hermione said. "She's promised she's going to come to Julie's birthday party though. I don't know if she'll be able to go, Ethan. This resort holiday is for former employees and Lavender and I were just guests there when I met your dad."

"She could probably come with us," Harry replied. "She could have gone with Seamus if..."

"If they hadn't broken things off," Hermione finished. She still couldn't believe that Lavender and Seamus hadn't ended up together. It just went to show how a little misunderstanding, two stubborn people and distance could tear a relationship apart.

Harry shook his head. "She could probably come with us," he said again.

"She'll never go," Hermione said. "If she thinks he's going to be there."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I'm not really worried about it to tell you the truth," he began stirring the sauce for the lasagne. "I'm more excited about us being there together."

"Me too," Hermione said pulling out some garlic bread from the cupboard. Ethan, as if sensing some more mushy stuff coming from his parents, retreated from the kitchen asking that they call him when dinner was ready.

"I don't imagine they'd let us stay in your old cabin, do you?" Hermione asked winking at him.

"If they don't, maybe we can sneak in there," Harry curved his arms around her waist. "We haven't been back there since that first Valentine's Day we spent together."

"It was so long ago," Hermione whispered, leaning back against him.

"Sometimes it feels like yesterday..." Harry kissed the side of her neck.

"Mmm," she murmured, forgetting all about the lasagne.

Harry turned her around, pressing his lips to hers as her arms wound themselves around his neck.

"Harry," Hermione said in between kisses. "We shouldn't start this now...Ethan's in the next room!"

"He won't come in here until we call him," Harry said breathlessly.

"You don't know that," Hermione said, her head rolling back as he kissed her neck. "Mmm....."

"I can't stop," Harry said carelessly.

"Harry," Hermione said as he pushed her back against the counter. "As much as I really want to do this now..."

Harry pulled away. "Promise we can pick it back up later?" he rubbed his thumb over her swollen lower lip.

"Yes, of course," she said huskily.

"Promise?" Harry's hand still rested on her hip.

"Definitely," Hermione said, unable to resist kissing him once more.

"Okay then," Harry let her go and resumed stirring the sauce.

"So when do we leave for Hillsdale?" Hermione asked, deciding to change the subject to get her mind off what they'd just been doing.

"A week," Harry replied. "Is that okay with you?"

"It's okay with me," she said, smiling at him. "I can't wait to be alone with you....in your old cabin...at the lake...the dance studio....the parking lot...."

"All those places," Harry grinned back at her. "We'll mark each and every one of them."

"You do realise that you'll also be there to see your old mates, don't you?" Hermione asked teasingly.

"What mates?" Harry asked devilishly.

"Don't ever change, Harry," Hermione said, laughing. "Don't ever change."

"I have no plans to," Harry said smugly.

"I hope Julie wants to go," Hermione said. "I think the time away will do her some good, too. You know she's still hurting over that stuff with Ryan."

"I know," Harry said, his eyes darkening at the mention of the Muggle boy. "I hate what I had to do with him but I had no choice."

"Julie knows that," Hermione said, reassuringly. "She finally had the courage to tell him about our world and he just shut her down completely. I wanted to hex him myself with how he treated her..."

Harry shook his head. "Aside from Memory charming him I wanted to hex him into next year," he said coolly.

"He's lucky that all you did was Memory Charm him," Hermione said, still remembering how upset Harry was when he'd found Julie in tears.

"Julie's better off," Harry said firmly. "She'll find another bloke sooner or later and this time she'll be a little wiser is all."

"Absolutely," Hermione agreed. She smiled at him. "You know my dad said nearly the same thing to my mom when he found out about you and me."

"And look how wrong he was," Harry joked, wrapping his arms back around her. "There's no one else for you!" his tone was playful.

"I don't know," Hermione said, hiding a smile. "There was that nice young man who saw me on the street today..."

Harry poked her in the side. "What was that Mrs. Potter? You're eyeing up other men in my absence?"

"Of course not," Hermione said laughing. "I was only joking."

"Better be," Harry kissed the side of her head.

2. Runaway

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys- Heaven had to babysit and it lasted far later than she thought it would ;) But never fear, the chapter is here! Amy responded to reviews earlier and we’re BOTH glad you all are enjoying this story so far!

Runaway By Janet Jackson

I’ve seen the world, been to many places
Made lots of friends, many different races
I’ve had such fun around the world it’s true
African skies with a Nairobi mood
I fell asleep in Tuscany and dreamed
The one thing missing was you

When Ron had gotten home from the shop that evening, Luna had bombarded him with the letter asking them to come back to Hillsdale for a reunion. It hadn't taken them long to decide that they wanted to go back and now Ron was talking to his mother through the fire, hoping she would take care of their youngest, Ron Jr. and Madeline (Maddie).

"I don't know if she'll be there," Ron said thoughtfully. "I can't imagine Ginny wanting to go back there after... after the way they left."

"She never writes anymore," Molly said sadly. "The last time she wrote was nearly three years ago. And I have to find out about her and that husband of hers when I read the newspaper. Not to mention the fact that I've never even laid eyes on my grandson."

"None of us have," Ron pointed out. "And you've seen him Mum. It's not like his singing career is small. He's a pretty big star in his own right."

"Yes, but I've never met him," Molly said. "I blame that Malfoy for all of this. Ginny was never like this before he came along...if it wasn't for him, she'd still be here with us."

Ron was quiet. "Maybe you're right, but I guess we'll never know." he shrugged. "Anyway, I wanted to know if you'd be up to taking care of R.J. and Maddie for a little while." he explained the invitation to Hillsdale to his mother. "Just for part of the time. I'd like them to join us after a couple weeks."

Molly's mood and tone of voice brightened almost immediately. "We'd love to watch them!"

"Fantastic," Ron grinned. "Drew, Darla, Jonathan and Josh are coming with us." he shook his head. "Josh is in his room writing to see if Julie's going."

"Still fancies her, does he?" Molly said with a laugh.

"Always has," Ron shook his head. "Thanks for taking Maddie and R.J., I know they love coming to the Burrow to stay with you."

"And you know I love having them," Molly said. "I'm going to have to go now, Ron, but give my love to everyone, okay?"

"I will," Ron smiled at his mother as she ducked out of the fire. "We're all set," he said, coming into the kitchen and putting his arms around his wife. "R.J. and Maddie will come and stay with us three weeks into the holiday."

"Molly saves the day yet again," Luna said smiling. She was quite looking forward to seeing Hillsdale again and couldn't wait to show her children the place where she and their dad fell in love. Of course, the kids weren't very interested in this part of the holiday at all.

"Couldn't ask for a better grandmother," Ron said, sitting down. "Loves seeing her grandkids, and loves sending them back to us spoiled rotten even more."

Luna opened her mouth to respond, but she heard the sound of someone running down the stairs and she and Ron exchanged knowing looks. With a house full of children, commotions like this were an everyday occurrence.

"Jon, give me back my letter!" Josh screamed at his twin brother.

"No way," Jon grinned devilishly. "It's a LOVE LETTER TO JULIE!"

"GIVE ME BACK MY LETTER NOW!" Josh said, his face red from both his anger at his brother and the embarrassment that in fact, this was an actual love letter to Julie.

"Not until I read it!" Jon unfolded it and was about to read it aloud when Ron whisked it out of his hands. "DAD!" he groaned. "Come on!"

"That's your brother's letter, Jon," Ron said sternly. "And you have no business reading it."

"We already know what it says!" Jon fluttered his eyes. "Dear Julie, I love you so much!" he mimicked in a high voice.

Josh turned even redder. "Shut up Jon," he took the letter back from his father. "Thanks Dad."

"No problem," Ron said, patting Josh on the back.

"She's never going to like you back, Josh," Jon couldn't resist taunting. "For one thing, she's almost 20 years old. And for another...you're still at Hogwarts. What did you plan on doing...taking her to the next Yule Ball?"

"Shut UP JON!" Josh's ears were also red. "Just because no one likes YOU--"

Jon was about to respond with a scathing remark, but Luna stood between her two sons. "Enough! You two have been at each other's throats since you came home. I, for one, am sick of it."

Ron nodded agreement. "If you two can't behave then you'll stay with your grandmother while Darla and Drew come with us to Hillsdale. And you'll also be grounded from going to Julie's party next month."

Josh's face fell at this news. He didn't want to miss Julie's party for anything in the world. "Fine," Josh said, turning to his brother. He offered his hand. "I'm sorry..."

Jon wore a smirk but shook his brother's hand. "Sorry," he grunted back.

"Good," Luna said, smiling at them, though she doubted their sincerity. Out of her twin sons, Josh was always the more sensitive one and Jon liked to use this to his advantage way too often.

"This is your last warning," Ron said to his sons. "If I hear you two arguing like that again that's it."

Both boys knew their father meant business and Jon reluctantly agreed to go upstairs and help his mother with Maddie. When Josh and Ron were alone in the kitchen, Josh looked at his father as if he wanted to ask him something, but didn't know how to ask it.

"What's on your mind?" Ron asked, picking up the newspaper Luna had left on the table.

"Dad?" Josh asked. "Do you really think Julie will go? I mean, I know she's older and all, but I really do think that Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione would want her to go with them, don't you? And I mean if Chiaki goes, I'm sure that Julie would go, too...right?"

"I'm sure she'll go," Ron chuckled. "If Harry and Hermione are even going, that is. We don't know if Hermione can get away from her duties yet."

Josh nodded. "It wasn't a love letter, you know? I was just writing to see how she was doing. I-I probably won't even send it."

Ron ruffled Josh's hair. "You don't let your brother get to you. If you want to write Julie letters you go ahead and do it."

Josh smiled at his father. "Thanks, Dad."

*** *** **

Ginny Malfoy’s ball gown rustled behind her as she walked down the immaculate, elegant corridor to her penthouse suite. She'd just returned from yet another fundraiser ball for a charity whose name she couldn't even remember. It didn't matter what it was for, however. It mattered that she was seen presenting a big check to the committee members and having her photograph taken. Draco hadn't been able to go. He'd had an emergency at the hospital and had played the part of the heroic healer to the hilt.

She loved living in Sydney, where they'd been ever since they left England twenty some years ago. Draco was a very successful healer, and their son Nicholas... he was doing well making his own way in life.

Nick Malfoy was in the kitchen, his head in the icebox as he heard the front door to their large penthouse open.

"Draco?" his mother's voice drifted into the kitchen. "Are you home love?"

"No," Nick rolled his eyes. "It's just me."

Ginny couldn't hide the disappointment on her face, but she gave her son a weak smile. "Nicholas, I didn't know you'd be home."

He shrugged, setting the container of juice on the counter. "I have a concert tomorrow night. Don't worry; I'll be out of your hair after that."

Ginny walked across the room and gave her son a peck on the cheek. "You're not in my hair, Nicholas. It's good to have you home."

Nick rolled his eyes again. "So where's dad? Dashing off into the fray again is he?"

Ginny hoped that was all Draco was up to. For awhile now, she'd thought that he was having an affair. "I don't know," Ginny said quietly. "I think so..."

"He's always busy," Nick said. "I've been here for three days and this is the first time I've seen either of you." He hardly ever came home at all, choosing to spend most of his time with his band.

"You're one to talk," Ginny scoffed. "We hardly ever see you. You treat Greta better than you ever treated me."

Greta was Nick's nanny who had basically raised him herself. After Nick grew up, she remained behind as a housekeeper and it was her love for Nick that kept her in the Malfoy home. Both Ginny and Draco treated her terribly.

"I know Greta better than I do you," Nick muttered.

Ginny shook her head. "You've always been ungrateful, Nicholas. You went to the best schools, lived in the best homes...and this is how you repay us?"

The blond snorted. "I'm going to my room. I'm tired and I have to rest up for tomorrow night."

"Fine...walk away like you always do," Ginny said dismissively, watching him go. She never knew what to make of her son and she certainly didn't know why he was so moody all the time. She saw some owl post on the counter and decided to go through it. A familiar logo caught her eye on one of the envelopes and she wondered why on earth they'd be getting mail from that place.

Draco Malfoy let himself into their flat, tired as hell from another day of life saving activities. He was the best damn healer in the entire Wizarding population of Sydney and sometimes the pressure could really take its toll. He saw his wife standing in her ball gown looking through the post and snuck up behind her.

Ginny jumped as she felt cold hands on her bare shoulders. She turned around and scowled at her husband. "You nearly scared me to death!"

"I'm sorry," Draco leaned in and kissed her. "What are you looking at?" he felt a rush of affection for her, which was still extremely rare for him. He loved Ginny but he didn't always exactly know how to show that to her. Instead he showered her with riches and she got whatever she wanted with his gold.

"You wouldn't believe me," she answered, handing him the envelope. "I think there must have been some mistake...."

Draco scanned the letter. "A fucking reunion?" he snorted disdainfully. "Why would we want to go to that?"

"We did work there," Ginny answered. "And we did have some friends there..."

"What friends?" Draco asked sarcastically. "Dudley? Right."

Ginny laughed right along with him, but a part of her did want to go this reunion. It wasn't to see friends, of course. Draco was right. They'd only really had each other at Hillsdale. "So, I take it you don't want to go?" she asked cautiously.

"Of course not," Draco tossed the letter aside.

"I-I think we should go," Ginny said, causing him to look at her as if she's sprouted another head.

"Did you have too much FireWhisky?" he asked incredulously. "Have you forgotten the way we were run out of that hellhole? The embarrassment your brother caused us?"

"Of course, I haven't forgotten!" she retorted. "But wouldn't you like to rub all of their noses in it about how well we're doing? Wouldn't you just love to see the looks on all their faces when the two people who had to leave in disgrace came back looking better than ever. Wasn't it you who told me that the best revenge was looking good? And we, my love, are looking pretty damn good right now."

"I have nothing to prove to anyone," Draco said flatly. "I'm not going."

Ginny frowned. She had thought he would have jumped at the chance, but obviously she didn't know him as well as she thought she did. There had to be some other reason why he didn't want to go. "I take it SHE won't let you go," Ginny said haughtily.

"Who the hell are you talking about Ginny?" Draco asked sharply.

"Don't you think I know what you do?" Ginny asked, finally voicing the questions she'd been mulling around in her head for weeks. "Don't you know that I know where you go? You've got someone else, Draco. Don't you? You're never home and when you are, you're so bloody preoccupied, you might as well not even be here!"

Draco stared at his wife. "I have NEVER, EVER cheated on you," he said coldly. "I may be a lot of things but I'm not a fucking cheater."

"Whatever," Ginny said, grabbing the discarded invitation from the counter. "I'm going to this and I'll take Nicholas with me. I don't need you to have a good time!"

"Fine," Draco snapped. "Go and be laughed at."

"The only one who will be laughing is me," Ginny said, briskly walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs. She had no idea how she was going to convince Nick to come along, but she knew damn well she wasn't going alone. And after the way she'd acted, there was no way she could back out now.

*** *** ***

Seamus laughed as his girlfriend of three months, rising starlet Summer Rayne, twirled around in the hallway outside his flat in Los Angeles. Over the past twenty years, his hard work and determination had paid off and he was now one of the best and most respected directors in the movie business.

"I can't believe you got me that movie part!" Summer said breathlessly. "It's the part of a lifetime!"

"You had a wonderful audition," Seamus said, giving her a hug. "And I couldn't truthfully see anyone else playing the part after you read for it."

"But still," Summer said breathlessly. "All those actresses have so much more experience than I do."

Seamus knew this was true, but Summer had worked very hard over the past few weeks with her acting coach and it had shown in her audition. Of course, it helped that she was also gorgeous.

"You were great, Summer," Seamus said, kissing her gently. "Really."

"I'm so glad you think so," Summer kissed him back and followed him in. "I'd really like to celebrate..."

"So would I," Seamus said apologetically, "but I've still got some editing to do."

Summer pouted. "Come on, I just got the breaking role of my lifetime Seamus!"

Seamus liked Summer very much, but when she didn't get her way, she tended to pout and whine, which could become very trying very quickly.

"I really can't, Summer," Seamus said. "But how about we meet back here for a late dinner?"

"I suppose that'll have to do," she wrapped her arms around him and kissed the side of his neck.

Seamus laughed and couldn't resist turning around and kissing her properly. Seamus all but forgot about the editing he had to do, until his assistant knocked on the door. Reluctantly, Seamus pulled away from his girlfriend. "Taryn," he said, clearing his throat.

"I have your mail, Seamus," Taryn said, putting a stack of mail on a table. She couldn't help but notice the irritated look on Summer's face, but Taryn ignored her like she always did. "And the shooting schedule you wanted, too."

"Thanks," he said. "I appreciate it Taryn."

Taryn smiled. "Will there be anything else?"

"Not at the moment," he smiled. Sometimes he liked the fact that he used the top floor of his office building as his flat but other times, like this one it was a right pain in the arse. "I should be in there in just a bit."

"Okay," Taryn said, walking out of the room.

"She's always doing that," Summer said crossly. "I don't think she likes me too much."

"Don't worry about her," Seamus said. "I don't let my assistant pick out my girlfriends."

"Good," Summer said, relaxing. "Because I have a feeling if she did, she wouldn't have picked me."

Seamus kissed her again. "Want to come back about ten?" he asked suggestively. "I should be finished up by then, and if I'm not... it can wait till morning."

"You've got a date," Summer said smiling at him. "I think I'll go shopping."

"All right," Seamus gave her one last kiss and watched her go. He turned to his mail and noticed with surprise an envelope with the Hillsdale logo on it.

Taryn came back into the office as soon as she saw Summer leave and looked at her boss, who was looking at a card intently.

"What have you got there, Seamus?" Taryn asked pleasantly.

He stared at the letter a moment longer. "It's a reunion," he said finally. "When I worked at that resort a long time ago. The previous owner died and left the place to his son who sold it to one of the waiters that had worked there a long time. He's invited us all back for a reunion..."

"Sounds like fun," Taryn said, grinning at him. "Is that back home for you?"

"Yeah back in England," Seamus said thoughtfully. He wondered for a moment if Lavender would be there but quickly drove it from his head. She had never been an employee, therefore she wouldn’t be there. "I think I might go back," he said.

"Can it be?" Taryn asked in mock surprise. "My boss is actually going to take a vacation? I'll alert the media."

"Funny Taryn," he smirked at her. "It's just been awhile since I've seen my old friends."

"Will she be going with you?" Taryn asked, trying not to frown at the mere idea of Summer Rayne. No one in the office cared too much for her, but out of respect for Seamus they all put up with her.

"I'll have to ask her tonight when she comes back," Seamus didn't notice the look on Taryn's face. "Our picture doesn't start for two months while we set up all the financial ends, so it's not like she has to be here."

Taryn nodded, wondering how Seamus' old friends would take Summer Rayne.

"Should I make the arrangements for you then?" Taryn asked.

"That'd be fantastic," Seamus said. "You're the best you know that?"

Taryn laughed and gathered up some old scripts. "You could always give me a raise," she said, walking out of the office.

Seamus laughed but mentally thought to do just that sometime soon. The last thing he wanted to do was lose Taryn to another company. He looked at the invitation again and wondered who would show up at Hillsdale.

*** *** ***

"We're home!" Neville called out, setting down the shopping bags beside the door. Allison and Frankie were giggling about something they'd picked up in one of the shops and although he was worn out, he'd had a good time with his youngest daughters. "Cho? Chiaki?"

"We're in here love!" Cho called back. "In the sitting room."

Chiaki sat on her hands so her father and sisters wouldn't see her ring just yet and gave Julie a warning look to keep quiet. Chiaki wanted to be the one to break the news.

"Chiaki!" Frankie said, hugging her sister. "I didn't know you'd be home! We thought you'd still be rehearsing!"

"We called it an early night," Chiaki said.

Neville nodded and kissed his wife on the cheek. "Hello, Julie. It's seems like ages since I've seen you..."

"I'm sorry Uncle Neville," she hugged him back. "I've been so busy trying to find a job in London..."

"Hermione says you're trying to get a job at one of the primary schools in Muggle London, isn't that right?" Neville asked.

Julie nodded. "I love working with kids," she said.

Neville smiled and sat down and Frankie promptly sat down on his lap. "These two nearly bought out all of Diagon Alley today."

"We didn't buy that much," Frankie said defensively. "And before you say anything, Mum, we spent our own money."

Cho shook her head. "As long as you didn't waste it on those silly jokes you and Allison love so much."

"I bet if Josh was here we'd get them for free," Allison thought about the red haired boy she'd held a fancy for since they started their fourth year at Hogwarts.

"We didn't," Frankie answered. "I mostly bought books."

"My mum would be so proud of you," Julie teased her.

Neville looked with concern at his oldest daughter. "Are you all right sweetheart? You're being awfully quiet tonight."

"I've just got a lot on my mind, Dad," Chiaki said, smiling at him. "In fact, I have something really big on my mind..."

"What?" Frankie asked excitedly before Neville could and everyone laughed.

"Thank you, Frankie," Neville said, squeezing her shoulder. "What is it, Chiaki?"

"Well..." Chiaki looked at her mother and then Julie, who nodded encouragingly. "Dad... I'm getting married!"

Frankie and Allison descended on Chiaki immediately demanding to see the ring. Cho and Julie stood up so the younger girls could get a better look. Neville just sat there, in stunned silence.

"Dad?" Chiaki asked, pulling free of her sisters.

"M-married?" Neville finally managed to choke out.

"Yeah," Chiaki held her hand out so her father could see her ring. "Toshio asked me today after practise was over..."

"It's a nice ring," Neville said, feeling a bit emotional. Chiaki had been their first-born, after all. Of course, she'd not been his biologically, but he'd loved her as his own the moment he'd set eyes on her. The news that she was getting married made her seem so...grown up.

"Neville isn't it wonderful?" Cho asked, trying to jolt her husband out of his trance.

Neville slowly smiled and stood up from his chair. "Forgive your old dad for getting emotional over you getting engaged. Of course, it's wonderful!"

Chiaki hugged him in relief. "Toshio wants to come talk to you soon," she said. "He's ready for the overprotective father speech, although he'll probably have to deal with you, Uncle Harry AND Uncle Ron."

"The terror trifecta," Julie teased. "Poor Toshio won't know what hit him."

Cho slid an arm around her niece. "Wait until you get engaged Julie." she teased. "Your father will interrogate the hell out of the poor bloke and leave his knees knocking together."

"That probably explains why I haven't dated too many wizards," Julie said laughing. "I've concentrated my efforts with Muggles and you see where that got me...."

Chiaki knew her friend was trying to make the best out of that bad situation and she gave her a sympathetic smile.

"Just elope, Jules," Chiaki said. "That way you'll have the ring and the poor bloke can't back out then."

"Don't give her any ideas Cho," Neville grinned. "Harry would kill you if Julie eloped."

"Mum?" Allison said, picking up a card that Cho had discarded on the coffee table. Cho frowned. She'd meant to put that invitation in the rubbish bin before anyone had been anymore the wiser. "What's this? Hillsdale? Isn't that where you and Daddy used to work?"

"My dad worked there, too!" Julie said, coming up behind Allison and looking at the card. "It's where my parents met. A reunion?"

Cho grabbed the card from Allison. "It's nothing really."

"What's nothing?" Neville looked at the card over his wife's shoulder. "A Hillsdale reunion? That sounds like fun."

"Yes, I'm sure it would be," Cho said with clenched teeth, trying to communicate to her husband that perhaps this wasn't the best place to discuss this...especially with Chiaki in the room. "But we couldn't possibly go."

"Why not, Mum?" Allison asked curiously. "The invitation said it was for former employees and their families. I'd love to see where you used to work. I think it'd be cool."

"Yeah me too," Frankie said. "We can see where you and Uncle Harry used to dance together."

"I wonder if my parents got an invitation too." Julie wondered aloud.

"They probably did," Neville said. Cho grabbed his arm and led him into the kitchen.

"Neville," she said in a hushed tone. "We can't go back there...."

"Why not?" Neville rubbed his arm. "It's not like WE had a bad time there..."

"I know we didn't," Cho said quickly. "It's just...what if THEY go?"

"They?" Neville was confused.

"Malfoy and that cow he married," Cho answered.

Neville shook his head. "Why should we care?" he asked. "Malfoy wouldn't bother us, and besides, why would they even want to come back with the way they were run out?"

"I know," Cho said. "But what if they did? Chiaki's never met him and you know if he met her, he'd be just as cold and nasty to her as he was with us. I don't want to watch him hurt her, Nev. I won't."

Neville stroked her cheek. "Chiaki's a tough girl Cho. I don't think Malfoy would reveal who he was if they met. Remember how easily he gave her up before she was born?"

"I know all that," Cho hissed. "But you never know with him, do you? I just think we'd all be better off it we just stayed home."

"Why should we miss out on a holiday just because Malfoy might be there?" Neville asked, folding his arms. "If we're going to think about it that way we may as well never go anywhere ever again!"

"That's not fair and you know it!" Cho retorted crossly. Chiaki walked into the kitchen and stared at her parents.

"Okay....you two mind telling me what's going on?" she asked, holding up the card.

Cho shook her head. "Don't worry about it Chiaki."

"That worked when I was five years old, Mum," Chiaki said sarcastically. "But I'm not a child anymore. I wish you'd stop treating me like one!"

"Chiaki," Neville spoke now. "Your mother does not treat you like a child."

"Yes, she does!" Chiaki said angrily. "She always has!"

Neville held up a hand. "We're not talking about that right now. Your mum and I need to figure this out."

"Do what you want," Chiaki said angrily. "I'm going over to Toshio's. At least HE doesn't treat me like a toddler."

"Chiaki--" Cho began but her daughter stormed out. "THIS is why I don't want to go." she snapped angrily. "We're not even going yet the place is causing us trouble."

"She just needs to cool off," Neville said sighing. "We all do."

Cho threw the letter into the garbage. "I don't want to go. I don't want Malfoy hurting her if he decides to 'grace' us with his presence."

"That's just great, Cho!" Neville said, now nearly as angry as Chiaki had been. "It's like I said... let's just never go anywhere ever again in case HE might show up somewhere. In fact, why don't we both quit our jobs, take the girls out of school and go live on an island somewhere like hermits. But then again, Malfoy might come along then, too. I guess we're doomed!"

Cho rolled her eyes. "Now who's being overdramatic?"

"I don't like fighting with you, Cho," Neville said, trying to keep his emotions in check. "I have never liked it. But, I think you're being unreasonable. I seriously doubt the two of them would be invited. Need I remind you of how the two of them left? Come on. It would be great to go back and see our old friends...."

Cho shrugged and he could see her weakening. "I suppose it HAS been awhile since we've seen Seamus, if he decides to come." she sniffed.

"So you'll think about it?" Neville asked, grinning at her. "Come on...Frankie and Allison would love it. And I really do hope Chiaki comes along, too. Her last family holiday before she goes off and gets married."

"Damn it," Cho said. "I hate it when you're right."

"Let me have this one triumph," Neville said, laughing. "I live in a house with all women. I'm outnumbered here. Let me be right at least once!"

Cho smiled. "All right," she said. "But make sure you tell Harry it was YOU that convinced me to go and not him."

"Deal," Neville said, kissing her. "So, we're okay then?"

"Okay," Cho kissed him again. "Very, very okay."

*** *** ***

Even though it had been two years since Hermione had been elected Minister for Magic, Lavender Brown was still awed at the size of the place her cousin lived in with her family. She was a regular guest, coming over whenever she could, and although her own flat was nicely laid out, it just didn't compare to this palace.

"Did you want some coffee?" Hermione asked, smiling at her cousin. Lavender's visit had been unexpected, but Hermione had been up anyway. She'd woken up to wish Julie good luck on her interview at a Muggle school. Harry was still upstairs fast asleep as was Ethan.

"That'd be lovely," Lavender tossed her sunglasses on the table. "I was out too late again and up too early as usual."

"You didn't wake up married for the weekend again, did you?" Hermione asked jokingly. Over the past twenty years, Lavender had been married twice. Both marriages had been annulled and hadn't lasted more than 48 hours.

Lavender gave her cousin a dirty look. "Not everyone has the romance that you do with Harry," she said haughtily. "And my second marriage lasted two weeks thank you very much."

"My mistake," Hermione said, trying not to laugh. She handed Lavender a mug of coffee and sat down opposite her at the kitchen table.

Lavender yawned and sipped her coffee. "How are Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore?" she asked conversationally. "I haven't stopped by there in a few weeks."

"Good," Hermione said. "Dad's enjoying his retirement. He and Mum are actually leaving on cruise right after Julie's birthday."

"That's lovely," Lavender said. "No one deserves a nice holiday more than they do."

"Speaking of holidays," Hermione said, smiling slyly at her cousin. "Harry and I are taking the kids on one and we'd like you to go as well."

"Oh?" Lavender asked. "What sort of holiday do you and Harry want me to go with you for? And why?"

"You could call it a trip down memory lane," Hermione said, handing Lavender the invitation.

"Hillsdale?" Lavender asked. "Why do you want to go back there? And why would I, for that matter?"

"Because both of us met the loves of our lives there," Hermione answered simply. "Don't look at me like that, Lav. You know I'm right. Say what you want, but Seamus was the love of your life...your soul mate."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "If he was my soul mate then he wouldn't have cheated on me. And he wouldn't have just up and left for Los Angeles, he would have stayed and fought for me." she said primly.

"He tried, but someone wouldn't listen, would she?" Hermione pointed out gently. "He never would have left if you'd just given him the chance to explain, Lavender."

"There was nothing TO explain Hermione," Lavender said testily. "He cheated on me with that assistant of his, Lola." she spat out the other woman's name.

Hermione wasn't so sure about that. But, she knew that Lavender didn't want to hear anything more on that subject. "Harry said he doesn't reckon Seamus will go. I'm apt to agree. For one thing, he hasn't had much to do with any of us since he left."

Lavender shrugged, pretending that just hearing Seamus's name didn't bother her when in fact it hurt more than she could ever tell anyone. "That doesn't explain why you want me to go with you," she said instead.

"Because we had a great summer there," Hermione answered. "And wouldn't you like to get away and have a bit of fun?"

"I'm a busy girl Hermione," Lavender said. "I've got six shops to look after."

"And I've got a Ministry to run," Hermione said. "But right now, my family's more important. I've not been around as much and Harry thinks we need a proper holiday."

"Ahh, the plot thickens," Lavender replied. "Translation- you and Harry want to go shag in all your old spots and want me there to watch the kids."

"That's not true!" Hermione said defensively. "And even if it were, you'd only have to look after Ethan."

"I just don't get why you'd want me to go," Lavender said. "It wasn't exactly the time of my life there. First there was that horrid Draco Malfoy, and then..."

"You met someone you fell in love with," Hermione interjected. "Not to mention you and I became best friends there, too. I'd really like to have you there, Lavender. Really."

"You would?" Lavender asked uncertainly.

"Yes," Hermione said honestly. "And not just to baby-sit. Really. Come on. It will be just like old times. And I really don't think Seamus would be there."

"I wouldn't care if he was," Lavender stuck her nose in the air. "I wouldn't talk to him."

"On the off chance that he was there," Hermione said. "What would you do?"

"Ignore him," Lavender said with the slightest tremble in her voice. "Seeing him would have no effect whatsoever on me."

"I find that hard to believe," Harry said, coming into the kitchen, his hair as messy as always and he was wearing only his pyjama bottoms.

"Sod off Harry," Lavender frowned at him.

"That's Mr. Wonderful to you," Harry corrected with a wide grin.

Lavender made a face. "Sometimes I wish I never called you that. Completely went to your head."

"You were just telling it like it is," Harry said pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Did Julie leave for her interview already?"

"You missed her," Hermione nodded. "But I told her you wished her good luck."

"You know that daughter of yours is pretty fantastic," Lavender said with a grin. "She could have had her pick of any job in the world because of who she is, but she wanted to make her own way."

"She's determined just like her mum," Harry placed a hand on his wife's shoulder.

"I think she got a little bit of that from you as well," Hermione said. "I seem to remember someone being offered a free pass at Auror training, but he told them he wanted to go through it like everyone else."

Harry grinned. "That seems so long ago," he said. "Things were different back then."

Lavender smirked as she watched Harry massage Hermione's shoulders. "And some things have stayed the same. Honestly, you two never do give it a rest, do you?"

"I love my wife," Harry said. "I take any chance I can get to touch her," he grinned wickedly at her.

"On that note, I think I'll get on out of here," Lavender said, picking up her sunglasses and bag from the table. "Just remember that you have an innocent young boy in the house that you don't want to scar for life."

"He's learned not to walk in without checking the room first," Harry said shamelessly.

"Harry!" Hermione gasped.

"That's way too much information," Lavender said, shaking her head. "Now I see that I should definitely go with you two to protect that poor little boy."

"Go with us where? To Hillsdale?" Harry asked. He didn't think Lavender would be interested in going and didn't think Hermione was actually going to ask her.

"Yes," Lavender said, shaking her head. "I must be crazy..."

Hermione smiled at her. "I'm glad you're coming with us. I haven't heard yet from Ron or Cho, but I assume they'll be going as well."

"Good," Lavender said. "I'll see you later then, rabbits."

"That's Mr. and Mrs. Wonderful to you!" Harry called cheekily as she left.

3. Again

A/N: Well we’re finally back at Hillsdale with this chapter. And our fave couples all meet up again ;) including Lav/Seamus and Ginny sees Ron and then H/Hr for the first time since she left. We all hope you’ll like this chapter and thank you all for the amazing reviews you’ve left!

Again- Lenny Kravitz

All of my life
Where have you been
I wonder if I'll ever see you again
And if that day comes
I know we could win
I wonder if I'll ever see you again

Hermione smiled at Harry as they drove down the path toward Hillsdale. It was almost like going through a time warp, she thought to herself. She could still remember driving down this same road all those years ago. She'd had no idea her life was going to change like it did. She certainly didn't foresee herself returning over twenty years later, married with her own family.

From the backseat, Lavender sat between Ethan and Julie, who were both sound asleep.

"Are we there yet?" Lavender joked.

Hermione turned and laughed. "Do you hear your things bouncing around in the boot?" she teased.

"Yes," Lavender said, smiling at her cousin. "But it doesn't matter as much to me now. I'm nowhere near as high maintenance as I used to be." From the driver's seat, Harry snorted. "What?" Lavender asked. "I'm not!"

Hermione pressed her lips together. "I'm not saying a word," she tried not to laugh. "So why are we driving Harry? I figured that this Steve person would have us floo in since he owled us... he's obviously a wizard."

"He is," Harry replied. "But he has some guests who aren't and he thought this would be the best way..."

"So we'll have to be careful about using magic," Hermione replied. "I do hope he's got a floo connection here though. I may need to get back to the Ministry once or twice for things." it had been difficult for her to wrangle a full month away from her work.

"He does," Harry reassured her. "He said we were welcome to use it anytime."

"Fantastic," Hermione leaned back against the seat.

"I know I've asked you guys this loads of times, but you really don't think Seamus is going to be here, do you?" Lavender asked nervously. "I mean, it's not like I care one way or the other..."

"We don't know," Harry answered for both him and his wife. "I haven't talked to him since... since he left for Los Angeles."

"That's exactly what's wrong with him," Lavender sniffed. "He's moved over there and forgotten where he came from and the people who mattered to him before he became this big hotshot. I know he and I broke things off, but I would have thought he'd have at least stayed in touch with you lot."

Harry watched the road carefully. "I'm sure we'll hear from him sooner or later," he said, glancing at Hermione.

"Right," she caught on. "Say Lav, maybe you and I will take a run over to that one town and see if that shop is still there, where we got those swim costumes..."

Lavender giggled. "I knew it! The two of you are planning to do what I said you were going to do!"

Hermione looked at her. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"Yes, Mum?" Julie asked, now wide awake. "What is Aunt Lavender talking about?"

"Nothing," Hermione gave her cousin a dirty look. "Did you have a nice kip love?"

"How long was I out?" Julie asked groggily.

"Almost from the moment we got in the car," Lavender answered, nudging Julie. "Late night with Chiaki?"

"Yeah," Julie rubbed her eyes and pushed her long hair out of her face. "We have a lot to do before the wedding."

"Going out all hours dancing has to do with the wedding?" Harry asked in his best stern father voice.

"We weren't out dancing," Julie sat up straight. "Well... not for the first part of the night that is..." she grinned at her aunt.

"I was going to wait up for you, but it was past my bedtime," Harry said teasingly.

"Don't listen to your father," Hermione said, playfully hitting him on the arm. "He spent many a night out late dancing before...even before I came along and straightened him out."

"Hey I did not!" Harry said. "And Cho's not here to say otherwise so you have to believe me."

"Don't even try it," Hermione said laughing. "Are you going to sit there and tell us that you didn't go out and dance or party all hours of the night? What were you doing? Staying at home---reading?"

"Maybe," Harry grinned.

"Read a lot with Isabella Marconi, did you?" Lavender couldn't stop herself from asking.

Harry frowned at her while Julie looked confused. "Who's Isabella Marconi?" she asked.

"This really trashy model your dad used to date," Lavender answered.

"Thanks Lavender," Harry muttered, turning onto the gravel road that led into Hillsdale. "Just for that you can wake up Ethan."

"How trashy was she?" Julie asked curiously.

"Very," Lavender answered. She was about to tell Julie about the time Isabella had cornered Harry in Spain but she noticed him giving her a very dirty look. "But that was before he met your mum..." she added hastily.

Julie sighed. "I'll find out from Aunt Cho..."

"There's nothing to find out sweetie," Hermione turned to look at her daughter.

"Uh-huh," Julie said, laughing. "We'll see..."

Harry pulled into a spot as Lavender tried to shake Ethan awake. "Good luck," Hermione smirked at her cousin. When Ethan fell asleep he could stay asleep through an earthquake.

"Memory Lane Destination Number One," Lavender said as she gave up on waking up Ethan. "This, my dear Julie, is where your parents first set eyes on each other. A parking lot...how romantic!"

Julie smiled at her parents. "I thought you met while dancing?" she asked.

"Well technically we did," Harry said, opening the boot. "But here's where we first saw each other, the first day she got here."

"Was it love at first sight?" Julie asked dreamily.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and began to laugh. "Hardly," Hermione replied. "Your father was a rather big prat at first."

"And you were an insufferable know-it-all who wanted to step in and solve all of our problems," Harry countered with a grin.

"And that's how they fell in love," Lavender rolled her eyes. "Harry, I'd like my bags please."

"Here's the keys," Harry said, handing them to her. "You can get them yourself..."

"Do I look like I work here?" Lavender put her hand on her hip.

"No, you look like someone who needs a swift kick in the..."

"Harry!" Hermione interrupted.

"Sorry dear," Harry grunted.

"Mummy?" Ethan's groggy voice came from inside the car. Hermione quickly opened up the door and patted her son on the back. "You have perfect timing, little man."

"Harry Potter!" a man came striding towards them. "I'm so glad you could make it!"

"Steve!" Harry said, shaking the man's hand.

"How are you?" he asked warmly. "Brought the family I see!"

"Sure did," Harry said. "You remember my wife--Hermione?"

"Of course," Steve shook her hand. "Minister," he smiled. "I'm very honoured to have you here."

Hermione smiled. "Please, just call me Hermione. This is our daughter Julie and this sleepy young man here is our son Ethan. And this is my cousin, Lavender."

"I remember you!" Steve said, smiling at Lavender. "You dated Draco!"

Lavender's face fell. "Well... that was short lived..." she said unenthusiastically.

"He sort of played around quite a bit," Steve admitted sheepishly. "But enough about him...I'm really glad you came! I've set you up in one of the best cabins."

Lavender smiled widely. "I've been looking forward to this ever since Harry and Hermione invited me," she took Steve's arm. "Other than Draco, I have nothing but fond memories of this place..."

Harry rolled his eyes at Hermione. "She sure bounces back fast," he muttered under his breath.

"She's resilient," Hermione said quietly. "Come on, we better catch up before they leave us behind."

Julie strolled behind her aunt, taking in the scenery. The place certainly held a charm, with the small cabins scattered around the hills with the lake beyond that. She could see how her parents had fallen in love and she wondered idly if the same could happen to her.

"Look at that lake, Ethan," Harry said to his son. Ethan, who had been holding his older sister's hand, tensed up.

"What is it?" Julie asked softly. "Are you okay, Ethan?"

"I'm okay," he said quietly. He hoped to avoid any and all contact with that lake without making his father think he was scared.

Julie had a feeling her brother wasn't okay, but decided not to push the issue---at least not in front of their parents.

"You and I can go exploring after we get settled in," Julie asked, squeezing his hand. "Check out this place. How does that sound?"

"Okay," Ethan brightened up. "Maybe everyone else will get here soon too!" he was eager to see Drew and Darla, as he got along quite well with the Weasley girls.

"This place hasn't changed much at all," Harry said, as they walked toward the cabin.

"No it hasn't," Hermione looked in the direction of Harry's old cabin on the hill. "Look," she nudged her husband. "It's still there!"

"That was yours, Dad?" Julie asked, turning around and smiling at him, but he was looking only at Hermione.

"Yeah," Harry grinned at his wife. "That was my cabin when I worked here..."

"And where you used to sneak out every morning," Julie teased her mother. "Lavender told me all about it..."

"Lavender," Hermione said. "Would you please stop filling my children with stories about my escapades with Harry?"

Lavender turned around and just smiled sweetly at her cousin before continuing to talk to Steve.

"Escapades, Mum?" Julie asked, intrigued. "The Minister for Magic surely doesn't have 'escapades'."

"I wasn't Minister back then," Hermione replied.

"Obviously," Julie said with a laugh.

Steve led them over to a large cabin similar to the one Hermione and Lavender had stayed in the last time they were there. "I hope you like it," he said. "Everything's been refurbished and since I knew you were staying here, I had a fireplace put in while you're here and it's connected to the Floo network."

"Thanks," Hermione said, grinning at him. "We really do appreciate it."

"If there's anything I can do to make your stay better let me know," Steve said. "I'm glad you came back!"

"Steve," Lavender said. "Could you to me a big favour?"

"Sure," Steve said warmly. "What's that?"

She pulled him by the door. "Could you tell me if Seamus Finnigan is coming?" she asked quietly.

"You know Finnigan?" Steve asked.

"We... used to date," Lavender said.

"Oh," Steve said. "Well, I sent him an invitation, of course. But, I don't know if he's coming or not. I invited everyone who worked here actually."

"Everyone?" Hermione asked.

Steve nodded. "Figured it'd be fun to see how everyone's come along. Course I don't know who ALL will be here, some people sent back notes, like you all, and others have just been showing up."

"You didn't invite Draco Malfoy, did you?" Lavender asked.

Steve gave her a funny look. "Yes I did, even though I doubt they'll show... not after how he and Ginny Weasley were the thieves around here."

Lavender relaxed. "You're right, they probably won't come." she said.

"Let's hope so," Hermione said, grabbing Ethan's hand. "How about we get you settled?"

"Julie said we could go exploring," Ethan replied.

"Yeah, Mum," Julie said. "I said he and I could go walking around. If that's okay, that is."

"Why don't we unpack first," Hermione said. "Now, now..." she raised her voice over the groans of her children. "We're going to be here for a month. Neither of you is living out of a suitcase."

"You're no fun, Mum," Ethan grumbled.

Harry grinned and chucked Ethan's chin. "Come on little man, I'll help you and then you and Julie can go explore."

"Okay," Ethan said, following his father into the bedroom.

Hermione laughed as she watched them walk away, followed by Julie. She turned around and saw that Lavender seemed deep in thought. "Lav," Hermione said. "He's not going to be here. And neither will Malfoy and Ginny. You heard Steve. They are the three least likely people you'll see here."

Lavender tried not to feel disappointed. "Well... good. Then I'll have more time to check out other eligible wizards and not worry about Seamus hanging all over me." she sniffed. "I'm taking this room here."

Hermione nodded and decided she ought to unpack as well. She bent down to pick up her suitcase when Harry came up behind her.

"Have you got that red bikini?" he whispered in her ear as she straightened back up.

"I don't imagine I'd look very good in it right now," Hermione said, blushing. "Mind you, I have had two children now. My body's not the same as it used to be."

"You're still gorgeous to me," Harry kissed under her ear. "Best looking witch in the world."

"Well, you're a bit biased," Hermione said softly. "And maybe a bit blind..."

"You making cracks about my eyesight?" Harry poked his wife in the side. "And yes I'm biased but I'm being honest..." he kissed her again. "Now... did you bring that red bikini?"

*** *** ***

Nick Malfoy sighed deeply as they passed through the English countryside. "I still don't get why I had to come," he muttered. "You know I'm busy these days." He and Ginny had arrived in England that morning and were now almost to Hillsdale. "My band can't exactly go onstage without me you know."

"You came to keep your mother company," Ginny said with a forced smile. "And besides, you and I have never gone away on holiday just the two of us."

"Whose fault is that?" Nick slouched down in the seat of the limousine they were riding in the back of.

"Can you please not try and send me on a guilt trip about that?" Ginny asked. She knew that she and Draco hadn't been around much while Nick was growing up, but they'd left him in the best care. It wasn't as if they'd neglected him.

The blond rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he grumbled. He had better things to do with his time than this.

Ginny sank back into the plush seat and looked out the window. She was slightly nervous about arriving back at Hillsdale, but she wasn't about to let anyone see that. She was coming back to the sight of her biggest disgrace, triumphant and proud. They'd all see how well she'd done and they'd probably all fall at her feet with praise. It would be perfect.

Nick stared disbelievingly at the resort that was sprawled in front of them. "This is why we had to come all the way from Australia?" he scoffed.

"Nick," Ginny said smiling at him. "You are not thinking about this the right way. Your band needs all the publicity it can get, right? Think of all those young girls who have no idea that you're going to be here?"

He rolled his eyes. "I guess..." he didn't want to admit that his mother was right. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and straightened his shirt- all his clothes were tailor made to fit only him.

"But don't do anything to embarrass me," Ginny lectured. "Remember who you are."

Nick frowned at her. "What could I do to embarrass you?" he said snidely. "I don't even know WHAT embarrasses you."

"An ungrateful son for a start," Ginny said, fixing a smile on her face as the driver pulled into the parking lot. "We're here."

She could see that some of the guests were whispering excitedly about who could be arriving in such a fancy vehicle. Ginny smiled. They were about to find out.

Nick sighed again as he waited for the driver to come around and open the door for him. He stepped out, running a hand through his hair as he put his sunglasses on.

Ginny took the driver's proffered hand and got out of the car.

"Merlin's beard! Is that who I think it is?" an older woman said in Nick's earshot. For a moment he thought she was talking about him. "I can't believe she has the nerve to show her face here after what she did!"

Nick turned to face his mother, who stood frozen in place with a fake smile. "What's she talking about?" he asked stonily.

"I have no idea," Ginny said airily. "There were a bunch of silly cows here that were always jealous of me."

"Ginny Weasley?" a man's voice said. "I can't believe you actually came!"

Ginny looked at the man and although he looked somewhat familiar, she couldn't quite place him.

"Steve Van Ark," he said, still looking at her in disbelief.

"Thank you for inviting us," Ginny said, holding out her hand. "I suppose it does come as a bit of a shock, but I didn't want to miss this."

"I-I'll just make sure we have a cabin for you," Steve said, shaking his head as he walked away.

Ginny nodded and walked around to stand beside her son. "They had better give us the best cabin..."

Nick glared at her. "What's going on here? Why were those people whispering about you?"

"They're just jealous," Ginny said. "And they were probably looking at my handsome son which only made them more jealous."

"Ginny?" a familiar voice came from behind her.

Ginny gasped. "Ron?"

Ron stared at his sister. "I... didn't know you were coming Gin..." behind him was Luna with four of their kids.

"Um, yeah," Ginny said quietly, forcing another fake smile. "Neither did I."

"Where's Mal... where's Draco?" Ron made no move to hug his sister. His eyes moved to Nick, who was standing behind his mother with his arms crossed.

"He wanted to come, of course," Ginny lied. "But he couldn't get away." She looked at Luna. "So...these are yours? Mum said you had two sets of twins. I thought you had more..."

"We do," Luna said, forcing herself to be polite for Ron's sake and for the children. "Our two youngest stayed behind with your parents. You remember them, don't you?"

"Of course," Ginny replied, waving her hand at the driver. "Didn't you name them after Mum and Dad?"

"No," Luna said, in disbelief at the redhead's flippant views about her family. "I meant your parents. Your mother has never met her grandson, has she?"

"Luna," Ron said, getting in between them.

Nick couldn't believe his mother was ignoring him now so he pushed past her. "I'm Nick," he introduced himself. Greta had lectured him on the importance of being polite, and while he didn't practise that on his own parents he tried not to be a jerk to people he didn't know.

"Hello, Nick," Ron said, shaking his nephew's hand. "I'm your Uncle Ron. This blonde woman here is your Aunt Luna. Those two troublemakers are your cousins, Josh and Jon. And those two little sweethearts are Drew and Darla."

"Nice to meet you, Nick," Luna said, shaking Nick's hand.

"It's nice to finally meet some family," Nick was now the one ignoring his mother.

Ron smiled. "Hopefully, we'll get to know each other quite well while you're here."

"I'd like that," Nick said warmly.

Ginny stared in disbelief- her son had never looked at her that way or even spoken to her in that tone. "We need to find our cabin Nick," she said firmly. "You'll have plenty of time to socialize while we're here."

"Surely you don't mind him meeting his cousins, do you?" Luna asked hotly. "He has never met them after all."

Ginny opened her mouth to object but Ron spoke instead. "We were just heading over to Harry and Hermione's cabin," he said. "They got here a little while ago."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Why am I not surprised that THEY came."

"Why wouldn't they?" Ron asked. "Harry worked here... well before you tried to get him sacked that is."

Ginny glared at her brother. "That was a long time ago. Come on, Nick. We should go."

Nick glared at his mother. "I'd rather stay here thanks. We don't even know where our cabin is."

"Let's wait in the car then," Ginny said quickly. "It's quite hot out here."

"Go ahead," Nick said dismissively.

"Nicholas," Ginny said impatiently.

"Hi," Drew said shyly, coming up to Nick. "I guess we're cousins."

"Hi," Nick smiled at her. "It's nice to meet you Drew."

"You're very tall," Drew said, grinning at him. "Almost as tall as my daddy."

Nick laughed and Ginny almost fell over. "Yeah I guess I am." he said.

"I'm waiting in the car," Ginny nearly stamped her foot. This was NOT going how she wanted it to.

"Where did you go to school?" Darla asked. She was even shyer than her sister and since Drew had broken the ice, she figured it was okay to come forward as well.

"In Australia," Nick crouched down. "That's where I live."

He barely noticed his mother go back to the car as he continued to talk to family that he'd wanted to know for a long time.

"Do you get to see koala bears and kangaroos?" Drew asked. "I had a stuffed koala bear when I was little that I used to sleep with..."

"She still does," Darla joked.

Nick smiled at them both. "I see them once in awhile. I live in a city though, so not very often."

Ron couldn't get over how his sister was behaving. The last time he'd seen her had been in the joke shop when she announced she was moving to Sydney. She had seemed sorry for what she'd done back then but now it was as if she didn't care at all.

"Nicholas," Ginny said, rolling the window to the car down. "I really would like it if you'd come back in the car."

Nick stood up, aggravated but not wanting to make a scene in front of his relatives. "Fine," he agreed shortly. "It was very nice meeting all of you."

"It's about time," Ginny said, when Nick finally got back inside the car. "Six children...can you imagine? And dressed quite shabbily. Did you see that one of those girls had a stain on her shirt?"

"Shut up," Nick snapped. "Why couldn't you have told me about any of them?"

"It's a long story," Ginny said, looking out the window and watching as her older brother and his family walked away. They were no doubt talking about her and Nick. "And don't listen to anything that Luna has to say, either. She's never liked me."

"Right," Nick said sarcastically. "I'm really going to believe that."

"Fine, if you really must know," Ginny said. "My parents and brothers never liked your father. They didn't want me to get married to him and they pretty much disowned me because I did." Ginny knew this wasn't entirely true, but she didn't want her son to think badly of her, especially after he'd taken so well to Ron and his family. She wanted to keep her son's loyalty.

Nick only snorted as he stared outside the window. Down on one of the paths he saw a girl with a younger boy; he was holding her hand and they were looking around the resort. His eyes travelled down her body which was clothed in a fitted t-shirt and shorts. "Maybe this won't be so bad after all," he said quietly so his mother couldn't hear.

*** *** ***

"This certainly is rustic, isn't it?" Summer Rayne said, as she watched an employee of the resort set one of her four suitcases on the bed. She'd jumped at the chance of a European vacation with her director boyfriend, but this place wasn't exactly what the English would call "posh". Their cabin was quite small, for a start. The owner of the place had explained that because Seamus hadn't formally responded, they'd had to set them up in one of the smaller cabins.

"Don't you think we could stay at one of those lovely B & B's we saw on our way up here instead?" she asked Seamus hopefully.

"That would be a bit rude," Seamus said, tired from the travelling. "We're paying half price to stay here and we probably won't be in here a lot."

"I hope you don't plan on taking me on some nasty nature hike," Summer said, pouting. "You know I'm not an outdoorsy kind of girl. I do my best work inside."

"There's plenty to do here," Seamus replied mildly. "There's a lake, a ballroom, they always have games set up..."

"Sounds like loads of fun," Summer said sarcastically.

"I always enjoyed it here," Seamus said defensively.

"That was when you were a teenager and didn't know any better," Summer joked. When Seamus didn't laugh, she forced a smile. "I'm sorry. I promise not to be grumpy. This is important to you, so it's important to me, too."

"Thank you," Seamus gave her a kiss.

The employee looked away and cleared his throat. Seamus pulled out his wallet and gave the young man a tip.

"There's a welcome dinner at seven," the employee said. "Mr. Van Ark hopes that you'll come."

"Thank you," Seamus said.

The employee started to walk away, but Seamus stopped him. "Do you happen to know if Harry Potter is here?"

"I believe he is," the employee nodded. "He's in Cabin 6, just down the path there."

Seamus smiled. "Thank you."

When they were alone, Summer looked at him. "Who's Harry Potter?"

"One of my mates back from when we went to school together and worked here," he answered, careful of what he said in front of Summer. He had been hesitant on getting involved with a Muggle but he enjoyed the challenge of keeping his Wizarding ways a secret.

"Oooh," Summer said excitedly. "Old friends! I can't wait to meet them and get all the scoop on you, Mr. Finnigan."

Seamus smiled. "There's not much to tell. The media's gotten a hold of all my sordid secrets anyways."

Summer giggled. "That's true. So...why don't we go and see this old friend of yours?"

"Sure," he agreed. "I'd like to unpack first. You know I hate living out of a suitcase."

Summer nodded. "I think I'll just take a shower and freshen up. I'm a little sleepy from the flight. Maybe it will help me wake up."

"All right," Seamus replied. "I might just go take a walk while you're out then."

"Okay," Summer said, kissing him. "I'll see you later."

"Right," Seamus smiled as she disappeared into the loo. He quickly unpacked his things and then set out down the path towards Harry's cabin.

Hermione and Harry were sitting on the front porch of their cabin enjoying the few moments of quiet since the kids were out exploring. Lavender had decided to take a kip before the welcome dinner and things were quiet and peaceful, for a change.

"This is nice," Hermione had her eyes closed.

"I could think of nicer things we could be doing right about now," Harry said wickedly.

Hermione laughed. "Why doesn't it surprise me that you're thinking of that?" she asked.

"I know it doesn't surprise ME," Seamus said, grinning at his two old friends.

"Seamus!" Harry exclaimed. "You made it!"

"Aye," Seamus said, giving Harry a hug. "And who is this fine young woman? This can't be Hermione Granger."

"Hermione Granger Potter," Hermione corrected, giving him a hug.

"Minister Hermione Granger Potter," Seamus teased. "I knew you'd get that position nailed down." he kissed her cheek.

"So you do remember us then?" Hermione said, crossing her arms.

"Of course I do," Seamus replied. "That's a silly question."

"Well considering the fact that we haven't heard or seen from you in years, I wouldn't say it was all that silly," Hermione said.

"Right," Seamus said. "I'm sorry about that... but it's part of the reason I came. I knew you lot couldn't stay away."

"We wanted the kids to see this place," Hermione said smiling at him. "And we wanted to go back to where it all started for us."

"I can imagine you'll go back to ALL the places where it started for you," Seamus shared a wicked glance with Harry.

"I'll have you know we brought our children here," Hermione said defensively. "And I am the Minister, after all."

"I'm sure the Minister is allowed to have a little fun," Seamus teased her.

"Every now and then," Hermione joked back. "It's in the contract."

"Right," Seamus looked around. "So where are the kids? I can't wait to see how big they've gotten."

"They went exploring," Harry said. "Wait until you see Ethan... he looks just like me and Julie's the spitting image of Hermione."

"Carbon copies," Seamus nodded. "So... who else is here?" he asked, keeping his tone innocent.

"Ron and Luna are here, but we haven't seen them yet," Hermione answered. She was about to tell him about Lavender, when Lavender came out of the cabin.

"Hermione?" Lavender asked, not noticing Seamus. "I forgot to bring my brown sandals. Would you mind if I borrowed..."

Seamus stared at her. "Hello Lav," he said softly.

"S-Seamus?" Lavender asked shakily.

Seamus stepped up onto the porch. "How are you?" he asked hesitantly. Harry and Hermione made an excuse and went down the path.

"I'm okay," she said softly. "You've cut your hair. I-it looks nice short."

"Yeah..." he ran his hand through the strands. "Yours looks nice too..."

Lavender blushed. "No, it doesn't. I just woke up from a kip and I must look a fright."

"I couldn't tell," Seamus said. "I mean... it's just... I guess I didn't expect to see you here is all."

"Harry and Hermione asked me along," Lavender said. "I think they wanted a babysitter, actually."

She fidgeted nervously. "I didn't expect to see you here, either."

"I didn't get the invitation until a few days ago. And I had to go through some funding for a future project..." Seamus stuffed his hands in his pockets.

Lavender couldn't stop looking at him. She'd thought about how it would be to see him again after all these years so many times, but it wasn't going at all like she'd thought it would. For one, she usually pictured herself yelling at him and kicking him in the groin. Thinking of this reminded her of why she was so angry at him to begin with.

"Oh," was all she could say and her tone was noticeably cooler.

"Yeah," Seamus said, kicking his foot at the ground. "So what have you been up to?" he didn't notice the change in her voice.

"I'm still designing," Lavender answered, deciding to be mature about this. "I just opened up my sixth boutique."

"That's fantastic," Seamus said. "Good to hear you're doing so well."

Despite herself, she smiled. "We're both doing well then."

"Yeah we are," Seamus replied. "So um... are... um... are you seeing anyone?" he asked.

Lavender didn't know how to answer this and she certainly didn't know why he was asking.

"I've actually..." Lavender began. Her words trailed off as she saw a very attractive, very young woman coming toward them. The young woman wore a tank top and a pair of cut-off denim shorts. For a moment, Lavender thought she was just some random guest, but what happened next threw her. The young woman came running toward them and threw her arms around a surprised Seamus.

"There you are," Summer said with a giggle.

"Summer," Seamus said. "I thought you were kipping."

"The shower did the trick," Summer said. "I didn't feel like sleeping. I actually thought you might join me..."

Lavender stared at them in disbelief. This girl was half Seamus' age. He couldn't honestly be dating her, could he?

"I uh... I'm just catching up with some... old friends..." Seamus wished Summer didn't have such horrible timing. Seeing Lavender threw him back in time and he wanted nothing more than to take her and snog her senseless.

"Are you one of those old friends?" Summer asked sweetly to Lavender.

"What?" Lavender asked taken aback. "I-I used to be."

"We should really get going," Seamus said hastily. "Lavender... we'll see you around right?"

"Yeah, I imagine you'll be babysitting, too, eh?" she asked before storming back into the cabin.

Seamus closed his eyes for a moment. "That went well," he muttered.

"Who was that?" Summer asked.

"Just an old friend," Seamus pulled on her hand.

"Oh," Summer said, shrugging. "So what do you want to do now?"

"I still haven't gone walking around," Seamus said, looking back at the cabin. He thought he saw a flash of blonde hair at the window but he couldn't be sure in the late afternoon sunlight. "Come on I'll give you a tour."

"Great," Summer said, linking arms with him.

*** *** ***

Hermione looked around with a smile as she and Harry pointed out places they remembered. "I still can't believe it's been almost twenty years since we've been here," she commented as they passed the dance studio.

Harry nodded. "I can still see you walking up those steps...or running when you were late," he said, winking at her.

"I wasn't late," Hermione bumped his side. "You were just early."

"Was that what it was?" Harry teased. "I guess I was looking at it the wrong way."

"You were," Hermione leaned into him as his arm slid around her shoulders. "I'm just so glad to be back!" she took a deep breath.

"I'm glad I was able to charm you into coming," he said, kissing her. "I'm glad you came with me. I meant what I said, Hermione. I can't imagine being here without you."

"Now that I'm here..." she kissed him again. “I can't understand why I didn't want to go. And Steve is being so fantastic about hooking us up to the Floo so I can get back if I have to and giving us such a nice cabin to use..."

"Look who it is," Ginny said coming up behind them. "Mr. Perfect and his wife the goody-two shoes."

Hermione froze and felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up. "Well..." she turned to face the redhead. "If it isn't the tramp who can't stand for others to be happy because she hates herself so much," she returned coldly. "Harry hold your pocket so she doesn't take your wallet."

"What on earth are you doing here, Ginny?" Harry asked her, his tone as cold as Hermione's. "I wouldn't have thought you'd ever show your face around here after the way you left..."

"I was invited," Ginny said icily. "And for your information, Granger...I don't need to steal wallets anymore. I'm doing fine. Better than fine, actually."

"It's Potter," Hermione snapped. "Minister for Magic, actually." she smiled coolly at the stunned look on Ginny's face.

"Where's the ferret?" Harry asked. "Let me guess...you didn't let him out of his cage? Afraid he might misbehave?"

Ginny sniffed. "He's at home," she said. "He's busy, he's quite a successful healer and he couldn't make it."

"And what is it you do?" Hermione asked. "Your hair? Your nails?"

"None of your business!" Ginny said.

Hermione laughed. "I never thought you'd amount to anything."

Ginny couldn't believe how smug Hermione Granger was being. She acted as if she and Harry were the king and queen on the manor. Ginny cursed Draco for not coming with her. This would have been so much more bearable if he had.

"You're no better than me, Hermione Granger," Ginny said, deliberately using Hermione’s maiden name. "We both married up, didn't we? Adding the last name Potter must have sealed the deal for you to become Minister, eh?"

Harry stepped forward, his eyes snapping fire. "My WIFE got the title on her own merits," he said angrily. "At least she has a purpose in life."

"Oh, I'm sure she does," Ginny said, not backing down from Harry. "I heard about what happened to you back then, Hermione. What was his name? Gordon something or the other. Too bad he couldn't carry out the job he set out to do."

Before Harry could stop her Hermione whipped out her wand. "You'd do good to watch what you say," Hermione's eyes were so dark they were almost black.

"You’re the Minister, Hermione," Ginny said, trying not to show how nervous she actually was. "You're really going to do something to me in broad daylight?"

"I suppose that's a good part of being Minister," Hermione said, her voice controlled. "No one would believe it."

"She's not worth it Hermione," Harry put his hand on her arm.

"And neither are the two of you," Ginny said, stepping back as Hermione finally put her wand away. "I assure you that the last thing I want to do while I'm here is spend any time with you two losers."

"Good," Hermione said. "So for once and I'm sure the only time, we're in agreement." she kept her hand on her wand even though it was back in her pocket.

"Now," Ginny said, smoothing down her skirt. "I need to get back to my son."

"Poor thing," Hermione said snidely as she and Harry turned away. "Wonder what sort of life he's had with those two as parents."

"I imagine he spent a lot of time alone," Harry commented. "Could you imagine the two most selfish people in the world caring about anyone else, but themselves?"

"Not really," Hermione replied. "Makes me feel sorry for him..." she knew of Nick Malfoy through the magazines.

"He's probably a carbon copy of his father," Harry said, turning around to see that Ginny was indeed gone. "I still can't believe she showed up."

"I'm in shock myself. First Seamus now Ginny. At least seeing Seamus is nice." Hermione replied.

"If your cousin didn't murder him, that is," Harry said. "Perhaps we should get back to make sure she's okay."

"Good idea," Hermione said. "We'll have to wait for our private time till tonight I guess."

"Any ideas what you'd want to do first?" he asked.

"Bikini and the lake," Hermione said decisively.

"You did bring it then?" Harry asked, almost beaming at her.

Hermione scoffed. "Do you think I'm a fool Potter?"

"No," he said, kissing her again. "I think you're amazing."

4. I've Just Seen a Face

A/N: Well here you guys go, sorry again for the late update- we’ll get back on track soon we promise! We hope you all like this chapter as Nick and Julie meet for the first time haha. Although it may not work out quite like you think… yet! And please as always let us know what you think!! Thank you!!

-sorry about the corrupted chapter you guys. Here’s the real, WORKING one. I’ve no idea why that keeps happening but I’ll be speaking to NAPPA and James about it! Heaven

I’ve Just Seen a Face

I've just seen a face
I can't forget the time or place
Where we just meet
She's just the girl for me
And want all the world to see
We've met, mmm-mmm-mmm-m'mmm-mmm

Had it been another day
I might have looked the other way
And I'd have never been aware
But as it is I'll dream of her
Tonight, di-di-di-di'n'di

Chiaki hadn't spoken much to her mother since they'd arrived at Hillsdale. Things between them had been considerably cool for the past few weeks. Chiaki felt especially bad for her father who was smack dab in the middle of everything. But, she wasn't going to think about that now. She was sitting in the Potter cabin waiting for Julie to get ready. The employee's had a dance club and at dinner, one of the waiters had invited them along.

"Jules!" Chiaki called from the cabin's sitting room. "Come on!"

"I'm coming!" she called back impatiently. "Do I look all right?"

Chiaki gave her friend an appraising look. "Julie! It's June. Why on earth are you wearing a cardigan over that dress? Show off what you've got, girl!"

"I don't want to give off the wrong idea," Julie said. "I haven't got the body that you do Chiaki."

"You have a great body," Chiaki said honestly. "And you're not going to give off the wrong idea. You're just here to have a good time."

"Okay," Julie hesitantly pulled the jumper off. "I guess this is okay..."

"Perfect," Chiaki said, smiling at her. "Now let's go!"

Julie followed her friend, feeling a bit nervous. While walking around with Ethan, she had noticed that there were several good looking guys staying here. While Chiaki certainly wasn't looking for anyone, she wasn't sure if she was ready for any sort of romance either.

"They said it was just over the clearing," Chiaki said, leading the way. It was a beautiful night and Chiaki wished that Toshio had been able to come along, but he'd not been able to get away.

"My mum and dad said we'd have to be careful what we talked about," Julie hurried behind her. "They said there's a few Muggles here..."

"At least your parents don't mind you going," Chiaki said, frowning as she thought of her mother. "Mine wanted me to stay in the cabin and twiddle my thumbs."

"They probably think because Toshio's not here you wouldn't want to go out." Julie said. "Come on, give your mum a break... she's only looking out for you."

"You sound like my dad," Chiaki said. "Let's not talk about her. I'm ready to have a good time."

"All right," Julie nervously straightened the straps of her shirt.

Chiaki smiled as they walked through the double doors of the dance club. The music was loud and inviting. "This is more like it," Chiaki said, grinning at her friend.

"Reminds me of last night," Julie laughed. "I slept the whole way here and now I'm ready to go."

"Good," Chiaki said, smiling as a sandy-haired blonde man whistled appreciatively at the two of them as they walked inside.

Julie looked around, noticing a bar in one corner. "Let's go get something to drink!" she shouted.

Chiaki nodded and they inched through the crowd toward the bar. "This place is great!" she said, raising her voice so Julie could hear.

"Yeah!" Julie agreed, hoping a drink would help loosen her up. She was always a bit nervous in crowd situations at first, especially in a new place. She liked the fact that the bar worked like it was in a regular hotel, the two girls announced their cabin number and the drinks were put on the tab.

Chiaki turned around to survey the crowd and saw a tall, blond bloke staring at them from across the room. There was something somewhat familiar about him.

Nick watched the girl he'd spied on earlier that day as she and the person she was with looked around. "Damn..." his eyes moved appreciatively over her bare shoulders. If he played his cards right he might be able to find out who she was.

Chiaki watched as the bloke came toward them. Something about him was so familiar. She could tell he was looking at Julie and an overwhelming protective feeling came over her and she tried to pull Julie away.

"Let's mingle," Chiaki said, pulling her friend's arm.

"Going somewhere?" Nick said, tapping Julie on the shoulder.

"Excuse me?" Julie asked.

"I asked if you were going somewhere," Nick said, his voice oozing with charm.

Chiaki rolled her eyes. "Come on, Jules."

Julie was looking at him pensively. "I know you from somewhere," she said.

"I know you from somewhere, too," Nick said, grinning down at her. "You walked out of my dreams and into this club."

Chiaki laughed. "That's original. Does that ever work for you?"

Nick stared at the other girl. "I'm not talking to you," he stated coolly.

Julie narrowed her eyes. "We have to go," she said. No one talked like that to her and then insulted her best friend and got away with it.

"You know if you got rid of your friend, you might have a nice time," Nick said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"I think I'll pass," Julie brushed him away. "Come on Chiaki."

It suddenly clicked into Chiaki's head who this boy was. "Yeah..." her voice trailed off. "I have to talk to you!" she hissed to Julie.

"What?" Julie said, as Chiaki grabbed her arm and practically yanked her outside. "What is it, Chiaki?"

"That's..." Chiaki was at a loss for words. "That's Nick Malfoy..."

"It is?" Julie asked in disbelief. "What on earth is he doing here?"

"Julie!" Chiaki said impatiently. "Nick MALFOY..." she lowered her voice. "That's my bloody half brother!"

Julie put a hand over her mouth. "Oh, Chiaki. I'm so sorry. Are you...are you okay?"

"I'm going to KILL my mother," Chiaki snapped. "How could she not tell me that... that... my... biological father is here? With his bloody family no less!"

"Chiaki, maybe she didn't know," Julie said, trying to keep her best friend calm. "You should talk to her first. From what my mum and dad said, they didn't think the Malfoys would show their faces here after how they left..."

Chiaki sighed. "I feel like a fool, getting all worked up over this." she replied. "I feel like a bloody imbecile!"

Julie hugged her. "Come on, Chiaki. It's going to be okay. Let's go and talk to your mum. She needs to know that they're here."

"No," Chiaki shrugged out of her grasp. "I want to have fun tonight. I'll talk to her tomorrow."

"Chiaki!" Julie said, watching as Chiaki went back inside and disappeared into the crowd. Julie didn't feel much like dancing anymore. She turned on her heel to go back to the cabin and bumped right into Nick Malfoy.

"Get out of my way, please," Julie said icily.

"Come on," Nick gave her his best smile. "I'm harmless I swear."

"Somehow I doubt that," Julie said, folding her arms.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot," Nick flashed perfect white teeth.

"Being who we are, I don't think that's any surprise," Julie said, trying to ignore the fact that she did find him attractive.

"What do you mean who we are?" Nick was confused. Did he know this girl from somewhere? "I'm sure I'd remember you if I saw you."

"That's right," Julie said sarcastically. "We've not been formally introduced. You're Nick Malfoy, right?"

Nick wasn't surprised she knew his name considering his status. "That's right," he said. "And I'm at the disadvantage here..."

Julie extended her hand. "I'm Julie. Julie Potter. Daughter of Harry and Hermione Potter. Ring any bells?"

Nick shook his head. "No... Well I know who Harry Potter is, naturally..."

"Your mother and father tried to have my father arrested for some thefts when they were all employed here," Julie said coolly. "Not to mention the fact that your father got my Aunt Cho pregnant and left her flat. That's a mighty fine set of parents you have, if you don't mind me saying. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"What?" Nick was confused. "What are you talking about?"

Julie laughed. "You've got to be kidding me? You're going to stand there and act like you don't know what happened?"

"I don't!" Nick replied. "Look I didn't even want to be here and now people are coming up to me and telling me nasty things about my parents--"

"Look, I'm sorry if they didn't tell you about that," Julie said, feeling slightly guilty for being the one to tell him this. "But it’s the truth. Your parents did some really horrible things to people I care about. Perhaps you should ask them what the truth really is."

Nick stared at her as she turned on her heel and walked away. He was going to kill his mother, he thought angrily. The least she could have done was told him before they got here instead of leaving him to look like a fool.

*** *** ***

Neville sighed contentedly as Cho leaned against him. It was early in the morning of their second day at Hillsdale and he and his wife had woken up early to enjoy some time to themselves before the kids got up. "Sure feels strange being back here and not having any duties." he said, running his fingers through Cho's long hair.

Cho gave a slight smile. She was still somewhat concerned about Chiaki and the semi-silent treatment her daughter had taken to giving her the last few days. Cho had hoped to talk to her last night, but Chiaki had announced that she was going out with Julie and didn't know when she'd be back. She and Chiaki had always had a good relationship with each other, but they'd had their share of rows...some of them had been quite heated.

"It's strange to be back here, period," Cho finally said.

"But it's nice too," Neville replied. "Despite Vernon Dursley I did enjoy working here."

"I did, too," she said quickly. "It's just that...things are so different now."

"For the better," Neville smiled at her. "At that point, never in a million years did I think you'd ever marry up with me."

"Well never in a million years did I think I deserved someone so nice, and sweet and caring," Cho said, kissing him. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me, Neville. You really are."

"Same goes for me," Neville kissed her back, working his arms around her.

"Oh bother, you're not going to turn into Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione now that we're here are you?" Chiaki had come outside for a morning run and saw her parents necking on the porch.

"We just might," Neville said, pulling away from Cho. He smiled warmly at his oldest daughter. "Good morning, Sweetheart."

"Morning," Chiaki didn't smile back. "Mum, I've got a question for you."

"I have a few for you," Cho said, trying to keep her temper. She didn't like her daughter's tone. "What time did you finally make it back here last night?"

Chiaki ignored her mother's question. "Why the hell didn't you tell me the Malfoys are here?" she asked, folding her arms.

Cho stared at her and then looked at Neville, as if wanting him to explain this as well. After all, he had been the one to tell her over and over again that Ginny and Draco Malfoy would be the last people on earth who would ever come back here.

"Well?" Chiaki tapped her foot. "It would have been nice to be prepared when I came face to face with my bloody half brother last night. And I'm sure now I'll be bumping into my father around here! Tell me Mum, does he know who I am?"

Cho stood up. "You're not too old to be punished Chiaki," she warned.

"What are you going to do?" Chiaki asked, sarcastically. "Send me to bed without dinner?"

"Chiaki...," Neville said, giving Chiaki a warning look.

Chiaki calmed down at the look on Neville's face. "It just would have been nice to KNOW," she said sullenly. "I hate surprises."

"We would have liked to know, too," Neville said softly. "Your mum and I are just as surprised as you are, Chiaki."

"So neither of you knew?" Chiaki was surprised. "You're not just... you're not lying about this to keep me from being mad?"

Cho shook her head. "We wouldn't do that, Chiaki. If I had known that they were going to be here, I wouldn't have come. You know that."

Chiaki knew her mother was telling the truth. "I'm sorry," she muttered. "It just really threw me for a loop that's all."

Cho hugged her daughter and was happy that Chiaki didn't pull away. "I know, sweetheart. I'm sorry."

"W-what was he like?" Neville asked.

"Nick?" Chiaki shrugged. "He was hitting on Julie and he was a bit smarmy."

"Sounds exactly like his father," Cho said shaking her head.

"Well I mean it's a bit strange because I've seen him in Witch Weekly and read about him and he never seemed like a jerk," Chiaki shrugged. "It'll be interesting to see how Uncle Ron handles this."

"I still can't believe he and Ginny come from the same gene pool," Cho said. "Other than the tendency to put his foot in his mouth, Ron's wonderful. And Ginny...she's...well, she's...."

"Not," Neville put in hastily. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen if Chiaki did indeed meet up with Draco. Would she start comparing the two of them? Neville knew he was a much better person than Malfoy but it didn't stop him from worrying a bit.

"A part of me would like to meet this Draco Malfoy," Chiaki said, hoping that she wasn't hurting her father's feelings by saying this. "But it doesn't matter what he's like or what he's done. He's not my dad. I have a pretty fantastic Dad that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world."

Neville smiled at her. "Thanks sweetheart." he said. "You go on running and we'll see you later all right?"

Chiaki hugged her father. "Maybe we can all go to breakfast together?"

"Sure," He kissed her cheek. "If we can wake your sisters up that is."

Chiaki smiled and then kissed her mother on the cheek. "I'm sorry, Mum. About everything."

"It's all right love," Cho hugged her daughter. "I'm used to it by now."

Chiaki nodded. "I'll try and not be too long. See you guys."

Cho and Neville watched their daughter jog away. "So..." she said. "They came."

"They came," Neville said, sitting back down beside her. "I can't understand why."

"Me either," Cho leaned against him. "Honestly, with what they did... if it were me I'd be too embarrassed to ever show my face around here again." she looked at her husband. "I wonder if Harry and Hermione know." They'd all taken dinner at different times the night before so none of them had had much of a chance to talk yet.

"We haven't heard about any murders or disappearances," Neville joked. "If Ginny and Hermione crossed paths, I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty."

*** *** ***

After breakfast, everyone pretty much went their separate ways. Hermione had to check in with the Ministry and Harry was going to find Ron and perhaps play some football with Neville. Chiaki was going to check out the dance studio and since Lavender wanted to go into town and look at the shops, Julie was stuck looking after Ethan.

But, she didn't mind really. She liked spending time with her little brother. She was wearing a blue tankini swimsuit and sitting on one of the lounge chairs, reading a magazine while Ethan played with some of his toy soldiers in the sand.

"Ethan?" Julie asked, looking up from her novel. "Are you sure you don't want to join Drew and Darla in the water? They look like they're having fun."

Ethan shook his head vehemently. "It's too cold," he said. "I like it here in the sun."

"Okay," Julie said, smiling at him. She had a feeling there was more to this than Ethan was willing to admit. For one thing, it was actually quite hot out here today. Julie was even thinking about going into the water to cool off. She was about to ask Ethan what was really going on, when she felt a tap on her shoulder. For an awful moment, she thought it might be that creepy Nick Malfoy. He'd been hanging around earlier and looking at her as if he wanted to come over and talk. But, it wasn't Nick.

"Josh!" she exclaimed. "Hey I didn't get to see you guys yesterday!" she got up to hug him.

Josh beamed as Julie hugged him. He'd been working up the courage to come over and say something to her since he'd seen her.

"Hi, Jules," Josh said warmly, a touch of nervousness in his voice. "Hey, Ethan."

"Hi Josh," Ethan replied. "Want to play with my soldiers with me?"

"He will in a minute," Julie told her brother. "When did you guys get here?" she asked, sitting back down on her lounge chair.

"Around four," Josh answered, sitting down in the chair beside her. "You're not going to believe who we saw ...my Aunt Ginny."

"Actually I would believe it," Julie replied. "I saw your cousin Nick last night..." she rolled her eyes.

"We met him, as well," Josh said. "He seemed sort of nice to me."

Julie's eyebrows rose up. "Nice?" she asked. "He was a bit of a git to me and Chiaki..."

Josh nodded. "But I could be wrong. I didn't get a chance to talk to him much. Aunt Ginny was being really horrid and he left with her."

Julie shook her head. "How strange," she said. "How do you like it here so far?"

"It's okay," Josh said. "Except I have to room with Jon like always. And you know how horrible he can be."

"Jon's funny," Ethan said, laughing.

Julie laughed too. "Is he still bothering you every chance he gets?"

"Unfortunately," Josh said with a grin. "I think he was born just to give me a hard time."

"Probably," Julie gave him a friendly smile. "So what are you doing for the rest of the day?"

"I, um, was actually thinking about going into town and getting some ice cream," Josh said nervously. "You--you wouldn't want to come along, would you?"

"That actually sounds like a nice idea," Julie agreed. "But it'll have to wait for awhile, I have to stay here with Ethan until one of my parents or my aunt Lavender comes back."

"Hi," Nick said, coming up to them and smiling at Julie. He looked at Josh. "And you're Jon, right?"

Julie rolled her eyes. "Josh," she corrected for him.

Nick could tell she didn't look happy to see him, but he wasn't about to back off just yet. Nick Malfoy liked a challenge. "Right," Nick said, shaking Josh's hand. "My cousin. One of them, anyway."

Julie picked up her novel again, intending to ignore Nick Malfoy.

"Who are you?" Ethan asked, curiously. "Who is he, Julie?"

"Nobody," Julie replied coolly.

"Hi," Nick grinned at the younger boy. "Nick Malfoy."

"Ethan Potter," Ethan said, smiling up at him. "I don't think my sister likes you too much."

Julie huffed. "Ethan!" she said.

"You don't," Ethan said honestly. "You rolled your eyes just like Mummy does when she's upset or doesn't like something."

Julie's face turned an interesting shade of red. "Maybe we'd better go get that ice cream Josh," she said, sitting up.

Ethan grinned, but Josh was positively beaming. "Sure," he said, not believing his luck. "Whenever you're ready is fine with me."

"Ethan you're coming with us," Julie ordered. "Drew, Darla, you guys have to get out!" she called.

Nick looked at her. "Mind if I tag along?"

"Actually we do," Julie said. "It's a family thing. Family and friends." she corrected.

"I'm their family," Nick said, motioning to Drew and Darla who were coming out of the lake. "And his family..."

Julie let out a loud frustrated noise and Nick noticed Josh looking at him with some trepidation.

"Nicholas Tarrington Malfoy," Ginny called out, causing Nick to let out his own frustrated groan.

"Tarrington?" Julie asked, laughing. "Your middle name is Tarrington?"

"Unfortunately," he muttered back at her. "What do you want?" he asked his mother.

"I thought you were going to go on a walk with me," Ginny said, sighing. She looked dismissively at Julie, a flicker of recognition in her eyes. She didn't know this girl's name, but she certainly knew who her parents were just by looking at her. "Nicholas, you really should remember not to associate with the offspring of a Mudblood..."

Josh stepped forward. "Hey! You can't talk to her like that!"

"Hey!" Nick glared at his mother. "I'm not taking anything with you," he snapped. "Why don't you leave me alone and find someone else to bother?"

Julie grabbed hold of Josh's hand and they managed to sneak away from with the others before Nick could turn around. Julie couldn't believe the nerve of that woman calling her...what she'd called her.

"I'm sorry she said that to you, Julie," Josh said sympathetically.

"It's all right," Julie tossed her hair over her shoulder. "I'm just sorry the kids had to hear it."

"What's a Mudblood?" Drew asked curiously.

"It's not a nice word," Josh replied.

"I don't like that woman," Ethan said loyally to his sister, taking her hand. "She's not very nice."

"No she's not," Julie realised she was still holding Josh's hand as well and dropped it. "Not at all."

Josh frowned as Julie let go of his hand. But, at least she'd held his hand for a bit. That was the important thing.

Hoping to get her mind off of her troubles and the horrid things Ginny had just said Josh made a goofy face at her. "Okay, Potter. You're buying, right?"

"Hey you had the idea," Julie smiled back at him. "I think that means you buy."

"Fair enough," Josh said, smiling back at her. "Fair enough."

Meanwhile, Ginny was walking back to her cabin with a very sullen Nick following her.

"You really shouldn't associate with people like her, Nicholas," Ginny said sternly. "Your father wouldn't approve."

"How the hell would you know anything about her?" Nick snapped.

"She's Harry and Hermione Potter's daughter," Ginny replied. "That's all I need to know."

"So what?" Nick snorted. "It's not MY fault you and Dad decided to steal from them and then get yourselves sacked."

Ginny froze. "W-where did you hear something like that?"

"Oh it's going around," Nick smiled sardonically at her.

"They're lies," Ginny said after a long pause. "Besides, how could you believe the words of strangers over your own mother?"

"Because you feel like a stranger to me," Nick started walking away from her.

"Is that what you think?" Ginny asked incredulously. "Am I going to have to apologise for the rest of my life for not always being there for you? It wasn't as if you suffered, Nicholas. You had Greta. And she was the only one you talked to. She was the one you had your private jokes with. When I came home, you didn't want anything to do with me."

"And why do you think that would change just because you made me come here?" Nick snapped.

"Because--like it or not, Nick---I am your mother," Ginny said, walking over to him. She touched his arm. "And I've never asked you for much. I just need you to be here for me. Please. I can't be here alone."

Nick sighed. "What do you want to do?" he asked sufferingly.

"Just try and act like you're not disgusted to be around me all the time," Ginny said, smiling at him. "And go with me to meals and other events. Your father deserted me, Nick. I can't lose you, too."

Nick didn't say anything as she took his arm. While he held no emotion for his mother, his sense of loyalty won out. "Fine..." he said. "But stop talking about everyone as if you're better than them."

Ginny nodded. "So, we've got a deal then?"

"Fine," Nick said again.

*** *** ***

Harry was noticeably irritable when he came back from playing football. His midnight tryst with Hermione at the lake had been interrupted the previous night due to a late rain shower and then that morning when he'd gotten up she was already in the fireplace conferring with her colleagues at the Ministry.

Hermione was settled down on one of the couches in the sitting room, surrounded by parchment and books. The sitting room had been transformed into her own temporary office.

"I still think we need to get that legislation passed through as quickly as possible," Hermione said, giving Harry a slight smile as he came back inside. She returned her attention to her colleague. "How soon do you think you can have that report finished?"

"Hermione..." Harry began. "We're on holiday remember?"

Hermione held up her hand and nodded at him before getting back to scribbling furiously on her parchment.

"Hermione," Harry said again. "I really need to talk to you..."

Hermione nodded. "Just a few more minutes, Harry."

Harry sat down on the sofa and huffed angrily as she continued to talk. When she finally pulled out of the fireplace he leaned forward. "I thought you weren't going to bring all this with you..."

"I had to," Hermione said apologetically, starting to clean up her paperwork. "This is really important, Harry. If it was just some mundane, everyday stuff, I would have let someone else take care of it, but you know how hard I've been working on this."

"I know," Harry replied. "But still... you've been in here all day. Its half past three and I haven't seen you since this morning."

Hermione put down her papers and looked at him. She sat down on his lap. "I'm sorry about that. And we are all alone now..."

Harry's face immediately relaxed into a smile. "I knew you'd come around," he teased.

"You're all hot and sweaty," Hermione said, grinning at him. "You look like you need a shower."

"Are you joining me?" Harry asked wickedly.

"I might be persuaded," she said softly.

Harry leaned forward and caught her lips with his. "What sort of persuasion are you looking for?" he asked, dragging his mouth over her skin.

"That's a good way to start," she whispered.

Harry reached under her shirt and tugged up on it. "Maybe if I get you undressed you'll have no choice," he grinned.

She couldn't take it anymore and kissed him as he lifted her up and walked backwards toward the bathroom.

Harry locked the door behind him, hoping their children wouldn't come back from the lake just yet. "We have to make up for last night," he said as they both quickly got undressed.

Hermione nodded and turned on the water. "When we were younger, we wouldn't have let a little rain stop us," she said, grinning at him.

"We're not that much older," Harry scoffed. "We don't look any older."

"You don't," Hermione said, running her hands over his chest. "But I certainly do..."

"Please," Harry said. "You're as gorgeous as the day I met you."

"And you're not the least bit biased," she said, as they both got into the shower.

"I'm just glad we've both got magic. We could be a hundred and look like we're 40." Harry said, letting the water run through his hair.

"I know one thing that will never change no matter how old we get," she said softly, looking up at him.

"What's that?" Harry pulled her close as he turned the water temperature up

"How much I love you," she said. "How much I want you..."

Harry smiled down at her. "That goes for me as well."

He kissed her then and Hermione couldn't believe she'd even been able to work let alone think of anything else with this man inches away from her.

*** *** ***

Lavender had spent most of the day walking through town, going in and out of the small shops. She hadn't had much at breakfast and decided to pop in at the ice cream parlour she'd seen when she'd first arrived. Besides, ice cream always did make her feel better.

"Seamus!" Summer shrieked as her boyfriend dabbed ice cream on her face.

Lavender stood stock still at the door, wondering why of all places the two of them had to be here. Thankfully, they hadn't seen her yet. Perhaps, there was still a chance to get away.

"Lavender?" Seamus had seen her at the door and called out to her before he could stop himself.

Lavender's hand was on the door and she could just pretend she hadn't heard him, but she didn't want to give him the satisfaction that seeing him did anything to her. Slowly, she turned around.

"Hi," she said quietly. "Small world, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Seamus stared at her. "Why don't you join us?"

"Yes, join us," Summer bubbled.

Lavender shook her head. "I couldn't. I-I was just going to get something to go, actually."

"Nonsense," Seamus replied. "The day's still young," he couldn't tell if he enjoyed making her uncomfortable or if he was truly glad to see her.

Lavender looked uncertainly at him. "O-Kay. But just for a moment." She took a seat across from the happy couple and felt very awkward. The waiter came over to them.

"What can I get you, miss?" he asked politely.

"Double fudge sundae, extra nuts and cream?" Seamus asked automatically.

Lavender stared back at him in surprise. "You remembered?" she asked with a slight smile.

"Yeah," Seamus was a little pink.

"Is that what you want, miss?" the waiter asked.

Lavender nodded, blushing a bit.

"That's awfully fattening," Summer said. "I only eat non-fat frozen yogurt."

Seamus made a face. "I can't stand that bloody crap." he said.

"I imagine you'd like it better than sushi," Lavender teased, remembering her ex's aversion to it.

"I still can't stand that stuff either," Seamus shuddered. "Summer here loves it of course."

Lavender's smile faltered.

"Shamy doesn't know what he's missing," Summer teased, before taking another bite of her yogurt.

Lavender tried to stifle a laugh.

"Right," Seamus tried not to be obvious as he tried to check out Lavender, as he'd been too stunned to really look at her the previous night. Her blonde hair wasn't as long as it had been, ending at her shoulders instead of down her back and it was streaked with platinum but her eyes were still as luminous as they had been back when they were together. "So... you're still designing right?"

"Yes," Lavender said, as the waiter brought her sundae out.

"Designing?" Summer asked, intrigued. "Where would I have seen your work?"

"I have a few small boutiques in London," Lavender said. Although she didn't know for sure, she had a good feeling this girl was a Muggle. "I'm sure it’s nothing you would have heard of in L.A."

"What's your specialty?" Summer asked. "If there's one thing I know, its fashion!" she giggled.

"My specialty?" Lavender said, swallowing her ice cream. "Um, well I've designed wedding dresses and outerwear....like cloaks and coats...things like that."

"Maybe Seamus and I could wear something of yours," Summer said. "Give you some publicity?"

Lavender looked at the girl. "That's awfully kind of you, Summer. But, I'm doing quite well. I don't need your help."

"Oh," Summer shrugged, a bit put out. "Okay then."

Summer excused herself to freshen up her makeup and Lavender was left alone with Seamus.

"So..." Seamus said as Lavender's ice cream was brought out.

"Shamy?" Lavender couldn't stop herself from asking. "You let her call you that?"

He turned bright red. "I hate it but she does it all the time."

"And it was so nice of her to offer to help little, old me out by offering to wear my clothes," Lavender said sarcastically.

"She's just trying to be helpful," Seamus said defensively. "You don't need to jump all over her for being nice."

"Is that what she was being?" Lavender asked, dropping her spoon on the table. "I didn't realise what with her fawning all over you the entire time she was sitting there. I half expected you to feed her ice cream to her...what with her being so young and all..."

"Why does this bother you Lavender?" Seamus asked furiously. "If I remember correctly, YOU broke up with ME! You have no reason to come in here and insult Summer. She's done nothing to you!"

"No, she hasn't," Lavender said, squeezing out of the booth. "But YOU sure the hell did. You're nothing but a joke, Seamus Finnigan. And I don't know what I ever saw in you!"

"Oh please," Seamus stood up as well. "Now you're just acting like a bitch."

Lavender scowled at him and scrabbled in her bag for some money. "I'd rather be a bitch than a lying bastard!"

"How exactly did I lie?" Seamus asked hotly. "Because NOW if I recall correctly, you never gave me a reason when you broke things off. All you did was come in and scream some nonsense and leave again."

"What's going on?" Summer asked, smiling brightly at them.

Lavender forced a smile. "Nothing. Nothing at all. You have perfect timing, Summer. I was just leaving."

"No," Seamus tossed a few quid onto the table. "Stay and enjoy your ice cream Lavender," he smirked. "We've got better things to do." he curved his arm around Summer's waist.

"Going to take her to the playground?" Lavender called back haughtily. "She has been an awfully good little girl, hasn't she?"

"What's wrong with her Seamus?” Summer asked.

"I wish I knew," Seamus said with a frustrated sigh, ushering Summer outside.

"She's awfully odd," Summer replied. "Most designers I know would be thrilled to have two people with our status wearing their clothes."

"Can we just not talk about her?" Seamus asked angrily. When he saw the hurt, confused expression on Summer's face, he softened. "Come on. Didn't you say you wanted to try out the lake?"

"Sure," Summer replied softly, knowing there was something going on between her boyfriend and that woman back in the ice cream shop

And she intended on finding out exactly what it was.

*** *** ***

Luna felt content as she sat with her family in the restaurant during lunch. "I miss R.J. and Maddie," she said to her husband, who as usual was stuffing his face with three of everything that was on the table.

"I miss them too," Jon said, smiling at his mother. "Except for his crying in the middle of the night and at the crack of dawn and when Dad changes his nappies..."

"Hey!" Ron said with his mouth full. "At least I CHANGE his nappies."

"Not very well you don't," Jon deadpanned, smiling sweetly at his dad. "You'd think you'd have gotten the hang of it by now."

"Look who's talking," Josh muttered.

"Pardon me," Jon said. "You're probably sitting there thinking of all the nappies you'll change when you and Julie get maaaaaarried."

Josh's face turned bright red and was about to reply when his mother put her hand on Jon's arm.

"That's enough of that," she said firmly.

"Can we have at least one meal in peace and quiet?" Ron asked, looking around the table.

"Fine," Jon muttered. Josh went back to his book (which was incidentally the same novel Julie was reading) and Drew and Darla began talking about how they thought Ethan didn't like the lake.

Luna exchanged a pleased look with her husband, but her smile quickly faltered when she saw who had just walked into the restaurant.

"What?" Ron noticed the look on his wife's face.

"Turn around and see," Luna said, before taking a sip of her club soda.

Ron swivelled in his chair and he groaned quietly as he saw Ginny march in. "Great," he muttered. "Hope she doesn't see us."

"Daddy," Drew said, exchanging a look with her sister. "What's a Mudblood?" Josh choked on his food.

Ron looked at Drew. "Where did you hear that word, Drew?"

"That lady we talked to yesterday," Drew pointed to Ginny. "She called Julie that."

"When did she call Julie that?" Luna asked, appalled.

Josh explained that they'd all ran into Ginny and Nick down by the lake and Ginny had chastised her son about associating with the 'offspring of a Mudblood'. Luna felt her blood boil as she looked at Ginny who was talking to Nick and looking around the restaurant as if wondering which area of the restaurant she'd grace with her presence.

Ron shook his head disgustedly. "Listen to me," he leaned in and looked at his twin daughters. "I don't want to hear either of you saying that word again." he held up his hand. "Daddy's not mad but that's not a nice word."

Darla and Drew nodded solemnly at their father.

"Should we tell Harry and Hermione about this?" Luna whispered in her husband's ear. "Assuming Julie didn't tell them herself..."

"Probably should, although maybe we should wait," Ron muttered back. Just then Nick caught sight of them and started making his way over much to his mother's chagrin.

"Hi everyone," he smiled at them.

For Nick's sake, Ron decided to take the high road and not ream out Ginny in front of him. "Hello, Nick," Ron said, standing up and shaking his hand. "Good to see you again."

"You too," Nick replied. "Mind if we join you?"

"No," Luna said, scooting down so Nick could pull up a chair. "We'd love to have YOU join us."

Ginny crossed her arms. "I'd like to sit by the window Nicholas," she said coolly, ignoring her brother and his family.

"No one's stopping you," Nick said, not even turning around to acknowledge his mother.

"Nicholas!" Ginny said.

"Sit down Ginny," Ron said in a tone that didn't leave room for argument. "Just don't say anything you'll regret," he said quietly so only she could hear.

"Fine," Ginny said huffily, sitting down beside Darla. She quickly shot back to her feet as she felt something wet and sticky on her bum.

"I'm sorry," Drew said sincerely. "I spilled my orange juice on that chair."

Luna turned a laugh into a cough as Ginny pushed the soiled chair to another table. "Sorry, would have warned you..." she said, biting her lower lip to keep from smirking.

"I'm sure you would have," Ginny said icily. "This is a very expensive dress, Luna. Not that you'd recognise that, of course."

"Mother," Nick said, shooting her a warning look.

"So how do you like it around here Nick?" Ron asked conversationally. "I imagine it's much quieter than what you're used to, being a singer and all."

"Yeah," Nick said, relaxing. He didn't know any of these people very well, but he liked them almost immediately. Sitting with them, even for a few minutes, hit home the fact that he had lived a very different childhood from the ones his cousins had.

"This is certainly a different pace from Sydney."

"What's Sydney like?" Jon asked. "I wonder if it's different from London."

"I wouldn't know," Nick said, shooting a look at his mother. "I've only been to London once when I was a baby."

"That's a shame," Ron said his double meaning clear. "London's a great place. When you come visit us there we'll give you a tour.”

Nick was surprised at Ron's choice of words. "I'd like that a lot," he said, smiling at his uncle.

"We'd love to have you anytime," Luna said, grinning at him. "And your Grandma Molly and Grandpa Arthur would certainly love to see you."

Nick didn't reply for a moment. He'd always wondered about grandparents- his father's mother Narcissa had disappeared about six years after he was born and Draco never spoke of her. Ginny rarely spoke of her parents either and he'd always listened to Greta's tales about her family and pretended they were his. "What are they like?" he asked.

"They're parents," Ginny interjected. "You know, Nicholas, I'm really not that hungry--"

"Grandma Molly is the best cook in the world," Drew said proudly. "She makes the best chocolate biscuits and she doesn't get mad when you sneak one before dinner."

"And my dad is crazy about anything having to do with Muggles," Ron said, with a laugh. "He's got a shed full of Muggle artefacts at home. And its also the department he works in at the Ministry....or did do until he retired."

Nick nodded. "That sounds great," he said a bit wistfully.

"And just wait until you meet Uncle George and Uncle Fred," Josh said, grinning. "Mind you, you'll need to watch them every second."

"Why's that?" Nick asked as Ginny sighed impatiently.

The table broke out into animated chatter as everyone had a Fred and George tale to tell and Nick listened intently and laughed along with them, to Ginny's annoyance.

"I'm going back to the cabin," she said haughtily. "I've got no time for this stupid bloody trip down memory lane."

"They're your family, Ginny," Luna said, frowning at her. "You haven't seen them in years and your own son has never met them! Don't you think you could spare a few minutes for him to hear about them?"

Ginny glared at her. "I can make my own decisions Loony," she used the other woman's childhood nickname.

"And damn the consequences, right?" Luna asked. "Fine, go ahead and go. You're really good at running away, aren't you?"

"What consequences?" Ginny shot back, but she sat down.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Luna hissed.

"Hey look who's here," Ron said, clearly trying to lighten the mood for his daughters who looked bewildered at the exchange between their mother and aunt. "Nick have you met your sister Chiaki yet?"

Nick nearly spit out his water. "Excuse me, my what?"

Ron's jaw dropped. "Put my foot back in my mouth did I?" he muttered, casting a glare at Ginny.

"What's going on?" Nick asked, looking at the pretty Asian girl who was standing in the doorway chatting with two younger girls. He remembered her from the other night because he'd seen her with Julie. He looked at his mother who was busily tearing a napkin apart and lastly he looked at his uncle who looked sympathetically at him.

"Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?" Nick asked, trying to stay calm.

"Apparently," Ron said through clenched teeth. "You've been kept in the dark. How could you not tell him about Draco and Cho Ginny?"

"Who is this Cho?" Nick asked, fixing his grey eyes on his mother.

"No one," Ginny got up. "Excuse me," she swept out of the restaurant.

Nick stared after his mother for a few moments. It was something he'd gotten used to seeing over the years---her running out and leaving him behind. "Who is that girl?" Nick asked his uncle. "What is she to me?"

Luna, sensing they might need a bit of privacy, excused herself and ushered the children outside.

Ron sighed. "I guess your parents never really told you much about their time here did they?"

"My parents haven't really told me about much of anything," Nick said.

"Back when we got here your father was having an affair of sorts with Cho," Ron nodded to his friend who was still standing and talking to her family. "Chiaki is a result of that. Your father left her while she was pregnant."

Nick stared at him in disbelief. It didn't sound possible at first, but the more he thought about it---the more likely it seemed. "I have a sister?" Nick finally said, dazed. "No one told me. They never told me!"

"That doesn't surprise me," Ron replied. "And I'm sorry to have blurted it out like that. I have a habit of sticking my foot in my mouth."

"It's okay," Nick said with a slight smile. "You're the only one whose related to me whose bothered to tell me the truth. I-I appreciate that."

Ron nodded. "Well... I'm risking the wrath of my sister, but I'll tell you anything you'd like to know Nick. I feel bad that none of us have gotten to know you."

"Why should you feel bad?" Nick asked. "None of this is your fault."

"I know but we could have made a bigger effort," he smiled ruefully. "Wait till my Mum hears that we've finally met you."

"I'd like to meet them someday," Nick said with a smile. He turned around and watched as Chiaki sat down with her family. She was his sister. He still couldn't believe he actually had one. "I'd like to get to know her, too."

Ron nodded.

"But I don't think its going to be all that easy," Nick said a little sheepishly. "I wasn't very nice to her the other night."

"Oh really?" Ron asked. "Where did you meet up?"

"I saw her at the employee club," Nick answered. "She was there with a girl and I was trying to chat her up, but Chiaki kept wanting to pull her away from me and I...I acted like an arse. Though in my defence, I didn't know she was my half-sister!"

"I'm sure she'll be all right once you talk," Ron sat back. "Who were you trying to talk to?"

"Just a girl," Nick said with a shrug.

"Ah," Ron said. "Well how about I go over and introduce you?"

"I don't know," Nick said, feeling somewhat nervous. He never felt nervous. "Perhaps this isn't the best time."

"Nonsense," Ron got up. "Once they realise you're not like your parents you'll be fine."

Nick shook his head. "I'm probably more like them than you know, Uncle Ron."

"How so?" Ron asked. "You've already demonstrated that you have manners unlike my sister and Draco... you were polite when we met you the other day..." he shook his head. "I find it hard to believe my sister raised you to be so courteous."

"She didn't," Nick admitted. "My nanny--Greta. She deserves the credit..."

"The puzzle fits together once again." Ron replied. "Come on Nick."

Reluctantly, Nick followed his uncle over to the table where Chiaki was sitting with her family.

"Hi Longbottoms," Ron said cheerfully. "I'd like you to meet someone."

Cho looked up and smiled at her friend, but her smile faded when she saw who was standing behind Ron. Chiaki, too, looked up in surprise, from the menu she was sharing with Frankie.

"Chiaki, I know you've already met him but this is my nephew Nick," Ron ignored the looks on their faces. Frankie and Allison stared up at him in awe.

No one seemed capable of making a sound so Neville decided to take the initiative. He slowly stood up and walked around the table. "Hello, Nick. I'm Neville Longbottom."

"Nice to meet you," Nick replied courteously.

"Can we have your autograph?" Allison got up, staring at him without blinking.

"Allie!" Frankie said, mortified.

Cho stifled a laugh. Trust Allison to make light of a heavy situation.

"Sure," Nick smiled at her. "Have you got a napkin or something to write on?"

Allison beamed at him and she and Frankie looked around the table for a napkin or piece of paper.

"Go and get that Witch Weekly in our cabin!" Frankie squealed excitedly to Allison. "He can sign that!"

Nick smiled as the two girls dashed out of the restaurant. Cho stood up. "It's nice to meet you Nick," she smiled at him.

"It's nice to meet you," he said with a grin. "I feel as if I should apologise. I didn't know about any of this...my parents and what happened."

Cho looked at Ron, who shook his head. "Well... it was a long time ago," she said. "I'm sorry you've never gotten the chance to meet your half sister."

Chiaki stood up and walked around the table.

"We actually met last night...unofficially, of course," she said, still not sure what to make of this bloke. His eyes were so much like her own. She wanted to ask him a question that she knew both her parents were dying to know as well. "Is your father here, too?"

"No," Nick shook his head. "He had to work so my mum begged me to come with her."

Chiaki nodded. She had a million questions to ask this Nick about her---their father. She didn't want to ask them in front of her parents, though. She felt guilty for even wanting to know more about the man who'd been no more than a sperm donor.

"I'm sorry for the way I was the other night," Nick said sincerely.

Chiaki shrugged. "I'm sorry for the way I was as well..."

Nick nodded. "I'd like us to get to know each other." he rubbed the back of his neck. "I've never had any family other than my nanny."

"You can take my sisters," Chiaki joked. "They'd drive you crazy in two seconds."

Cho smiled and sat down as did Ron. "I'm still hungry," he reached for the bread on the table.

"You are?" Nick asked, in surprise. "You ate enough over there, didn't you?"

"Oh, Nick," Chiaki said, laughing. "You have so much to learn..."

5. Can't Help Falling In Love

A/N: Thank you all again for your reviews and comments on the chapter- we’re both sorry that we haven’t responded to reviews in a few chapters but we WILL start that again, we promise! Real life just can get so hectic at times! But we do read all of them and they’re all appreciated! We hope you like this chapter!

Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can’t help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
Would it be a sin
If I can’t help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can’t help falling in love with you

Later that afternoon, the Potter family minus Lavender, were sitting in their cabin. Harry was playing Wizard's Chess with Ethan and Hermione was reading a novel on the sofa. Julie was sitting in one of the plush chairs, writing in her journal.

"Ethan?" Harry asked, watching as his son contemplated his next move.

"What?" Ethan stared at the board.

"I was thinking you might want to hang out with your old man tomorrow," Harry said, grinning at him. "What do you think of that?"

"Okay," Ethan said, finally making a move.

"I was thinking we could go out on the lake," Harry said. "Maybe we could get one of the boats and go fishing..."

"I want to go flying," Ethan replied.

"Ethan, you can go flying anytime," Harry said, making his own move. "I'd really like to take you fishing. It's sort of like a rite-of-passage type thing fathers and sons do."

Hermione and Julie exchanged amused expressions.

"I don't like fishing it's boring," Ethan said.

Hermione looked at her son. "Ethan, you've never been fishing before in your life. How do you know its boring?"

"I just do," Ethan insisted, ready to say anything to keep from going in or on that lake.

Although disappointed, Harry decided to try another angle. "Okay, if you don't want to go fishing, we don't have to do that. I know something else we could do instead."

"What?" Ethan was relieved that fishing was dropped.

"Ron was talking about taking Jon and Josh out water skiing," Harry said, grinning across the board at his son. "I imagine they'd let us tag along."

Ethan shook his head. "I want to go flying," he said again.

Julie definitely knew something was wrong now. Her brother usually jumped at the chance to do anything their father did. Ethan was and had always been Harry's shadow. This just didn't make sense, especially when you added in the bonus of Josh and Jon coming along, too.

"We could go flying afterwards," Harry said, hoping this would change Ethan's mind.

Ethan pushed the chessboard away. "I want to be by myself tomorrow!" he said.

Hermione, Harry and Julie watched in surprise as Ethan stomped off to his bedroom and shut the door soundly behind him.

"What was that all about?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said, concerned.

Julie stood up and closed her book. "I'll go and check on him, Mum."

Ethan heard a knock on the door as he buried his face in his pillow. "Go away!" he called.

"It's me, little man," Julie said softly. "I promise I'm by myself and the parental units are not with me."

Ethan sniffed. "Okay," he said.

Julie smiled at her mother and father before going in the room. She closed the door behind her and sat down on the edge of Ethan's bed. "So what's really going on, Ethan?" she asked gently. "And don't try and tell me nothing. Why don't you want to go fishing or water skiing with Dad? It sounds like fun, doesn't it?"

Ethan turned away and faced the window, not wanting to admit that he was scared of water.

"Ethan," Julie said, putting a hand on her brother's shoulder. "I promise I won't tell them. You trust me, right?"

"Yeah," Ethan said.

"So why don't you tell me what's going on?" Julie asked. "Dad was really looking forward to spending some time with you."

"I don't like that lake," Ethan sat up and rubbed at his eyes. "It's too deep and I can't see the bottom."

Julie nodded. She figured this was what the problem was. "But you know dad would never let anything happen to you. And besides, you love flying---which I can't understand at all. To me, flying is being up to high and you can't touch the ground. That's what's really scary."

"No, being in the water where you can get bit by something is scary," Ethan said.

"You should just tell dad how scared you are," Julie said. "He was really hurt just then...he doesn't think you want to spend time with him."

"I do though," Ethan said. "But I don't want Dad to think I'm a scaredy cat."

"Ethan, he'd never think you were a scaredy cat," Julie said, with a reassuring smile.

Ethan wasn't so sure. "He might," he said glumly.

Julie shook her head, seemingly at a loss as to what to say to convince her brother otherwise. She knew that because of who their father was and what he had done, Ethan didn't want to appear scared or cowardly in front of his father. It might not make sense to her, but it was the way Ethan was seeing things.

"Okay," she said, smiling at him. "What if I taught you how to swim? Just you and me. We'd do it after meals and early in the morning so no one would know."

"I don't know," Ethan said.

"Come on, Ethan," Julie said, pretending to pout. "Do you mean to tell me you don't want to spend time with your big sister?"

"You promise that nothing will bite me?" Ethan looked at his sister.

"Not unless it wants to go through me first," Julie said, extending her hand. "Come on, little man. I'll even pinkie swear on it."

Ethan finally smiled. "Okay," he hooked fingers and they shook. "What do I tell Dad about tomorrow?"

"Leave it to me," Julie said. "I know how to handle him."

"Okay," Ethan said. "Thanks Julie."

Julie hugged her little brother. "No problem. Now, how about you and I play a game of chess?"

"I want to try and beat Dad," Ethan grinned at her. "I almost had it before I pushed the board away."

"Ethan, I hate to break it to you," she said, as she and Ethan walked back into the sitting room. "But Dad really sucks at chess. I think Maddie could beat him if she tried."

"I know that's why I like playing him," Ethan said mischievously.

"Hello," Harry said, standing in front of his two children. "I am in the room, you know."

"I know," Ethan said, looking at Julie.

"Face it, Dad," Julie said, pulling a sympathetic face. "You stink."

"Thank you dear," Harry shook his head. "I love the respect I get from my children."

"You're good at everything else, Dad," Julie said. "Except for golf...you are really, really bad at that."

"All right, all right," Harry said. "Enough picking on me."

"No," Hermione said, laughing. "I like this game!"

Harry glared at her. "Not helping things Hermione."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, grinning at him. "Was I supposed to be helping?"

"Yes," Harry crossed his arms and gave her his best look.

Ethan tiptoed behind his father and grabbed one of the sofa pillows and handed it to Julie, who promptly walloped her father upside the head.

"Way to go, Julie!" Ethan said, clapping his hands. Harry turned on his son and grabbed for him, but Hermione moved in front of him to protect him.

"Harry," she began laughing at his expression.

"Hermione," Harry said, grinning at her. "Do you remember how much you hate to be tickled?"

"Don't you dare!" Hermione laughed as Ethan peeked around her.

Julie decided to help her mother and brother out by throwing the pillow at her father, which hit him square on the face. "Give up Dad! It's three against one!"

"Never!" Harry adapted a bravado tone. "I can take on all three of you!"

Hermione and Julie stood side by side with Ethan standing behind them, giggling.

"You're all talk and no action," Hermione teased. "We're not afraid of you."

Harry wiggled his fingers as his wife laughed playfully. "Oh yeah?" he dove in, grabbing Hermione and then Julie, squeezing their sides mercilessly. "You're next little man," he grinned at his son.

"S-save us, Ethan!" Julie said, hiccupping.

Ethan tried to distract his father but had his turn and couldn't stop laughing. "I give!" he cried.

"The winner and still champion!" Harry said triumphantly, raising his fists high into the air.

"The obnoxious and the insufferable!" Hermione said, motioning toward Harry.

Ginny was passing by the cabin where she knew the Potters were staying and she heard shrieks of laughter inside. Unable to resist, she peeked in the window. The sight of the family of four laughing and tickling each other made her feel both scornful and sad.

A part of her wondered what her life would have been like if she'd managed to nab Harry that summer so long ago. She certainly wouldn't feel as miserable as she did now.

*** *** ***

Hermione listened patiently and with a touch of amusement as her cousin ranted about 'that no good lying Seamus' for the better part of an hour.

"And after that he had the NERVE to call ME a bitch," Lavender's face was red with anger.

Hermione shook her head. "How awful of him," she said mildly.

"You know just when I think he's matured even a little bit, he goes and does something like that," Lavender said, folding her arms. "And you should have seen him with this girl, Hermione. He lets her call him 'Shamy'. He wouldn't even let me give him a nickname, but even if I had...I think I could come up with one a sight better than that!"

"You don't say," Hermione replied automatically, her eyes skipping over the parchment in front of her.

"He's old enough to be her father---for Merlin's sake! That's what he's turned into in Hollywood. A sad, sick pervert!"

Lavender waited for Hermione to agree with her, but realised that Hermione had been reading some papers the entire time. "I saw Harry down by the lake on my way back," Lavender said pointedly. "And he was putting suntan lotion all over Ginny Malfoy's back."

"That's nice," Hermione commented absently. "Wait, excuse me?"

"Now you listen!" Lavender said, pouting at her.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said sheepishly. "I did hear you though I swear."

Lavender sighed. "This would be so much easier if I had someone, too. I bet he and this Summer person are feeling sorry for me because I'm here as some glorified babysitter for my cousin and her husband. Meanwhile, he's feeding her non-fat frozen yogurt in some ice cream shoppe and making me completely sick!"

"Can I be honest with you Lav?" Hermione asked.

Lavender nodded. "Please."

"It sounds to me," Hermione paused a minute. "As if you're jealous. You very obviously miss him, and especially so now that you've seen him again."

Lavender stared at Hermione, her mouth agape.

"I AM NOT JEALOUS! And who says I miss him? I've been perfectly happy since I chucked him. I haven't given him one thought until he showed up here. If he wants to flaunt his relationship with the toddler in front of my face---he can go ahead. I could care less!"

Hermione didn't look convinced. "Why should it bother you then if he's with another woman?"

"It doesn't," Lavender said defensively. "And she's not a woman, Hermione. She's a child."

"How do you know that?" Hermione asked. "Look at us Lav; we all look like we're about twenty five since we have magic in our blood."

"She's a Muggle," Lavender said, shaking her head. "And I looked her up on Julie's laptop computer. She's some starlet who arrived in Hollywood at the age of 19---which was two years ago. That makes her 21 years old. For heaven's sake, Hermione. She's Chiaki's age!"

"And it's Seamus's business who he wants to date," Hermione replied calmly. "For all we know he's told the world he's only 21 as well."

"Sure," Lavender retorted. "Take his side! I'm your family, Hermione. You should be agreeing with me! Supporting me! But if you want to take his side---someone you haven't seen in years---over your own cousin's---go right ahead."

"Lavender stop being overdramatic," Hermione replied.

"I am not being overdramatic!" Lavender said angrily. Lavender gathered up her towel and sunglasses. "I'm going to go down by the lake!"

Without another word, she stormed out of the cabin, nearly colliding with Harry who stared nonplussed at his wife. "Do I want to know what just happened?" he asked, closing the door behind him.

"Not really," Hermione shook her head. "Same old Lavender when things aren't going her way."

Harry nodded and sat down on the sofa beside her. "You know you're doing it again," he said, looking at the paperwork she's assembled on the coffee table.

"You weren't here," Hermione pointed out.

"You've been cooped up in here since breakfast," he countered.

"You were out with Ron," Hermione said in return.

"Fair enough," he said, chuckling. "But what would you say if I told you that I had booked the dance studio for you and me this afternoon? Of course, if you'd rather be alone with your papers..."

Hermione tossed her parchment down. "Say no more," she said, immediately wrapping her arms around his neck. "How did you manage to book the dance studio?"

"Well, Steve asked Cho and I to do a little something tonight after dinner and I was going to work with her later," he said grinning wickedly at her. "But I wanted to work with you first..."

"I see," Hermione's eyes were twinkling. "What time do we go over there?"

"Fifteen minutes, if you're up for it," he said. "And Julie said she's going to look out for Ethan."

"All right," Hermione kissed him and pushed away. "Guess I'd better change."

"You look beautiful in what you have on," he said, giving her an admiring once-over.

"You're so biased," Hermione laughed. "I have another surprise for you but I'll have to change there in the studio."

"Do I get a hint?" he asked.

Hermione grinned and leaned down. "Sheldrake," she whispered, her lips skimming over his ear.

He grinned like a Cheshire cat remembering the last time he'd seen her in that dress. Hell, he was even remembering the first time he'd seen her in that dress.

"I'll go get it and be right back," Hermione said, her lips still on his ear.

"I-I'll wait for you outside," he said, squeezing her hand. He had a feeling if he stayed in here with her, they'd never make it to the studio.

*** *** ***

After breakfast, Chiaki and Nick excused themselves to get better acquainted with each other. This had been after she'd promised to disclose full details to Ally and Frankie who were unable to string two words together to Nick since he'd signed their magazine.

They'd made their way down by the lake and sat down on some lounge chairs. They'd not said much since they'd left the restaurant and Chiaki knew they both felt somewhat awkward in front of each other. It was so strange having a brother and not knowing anything about him. "So, you're a singer?" she finally asked, smiling at him. It was stupid question, but she figured it was the best place to start.

"Yeah," Nick nodded. "I have a band back in Australia."

"How do your parents feel about that?" Chiaki asked.

"Like everything else I do," Nick shrugged. "They hate it. They put on a nice face for when the magazines and newspapers take pictures but after that..."

Chiaki nodded. "What...what's he like? Your father?"

"I don't know him all that well." Nick said. "He's a healer, the best one in Sydney."

"But he's your father," Chiaki said, a bit taken aback.

"I guess," Nick shrugged. "I barely know him though. When he's home he spends most of his time with my mum, when she's not out at some charity ball or another."

"I had no idea," Chiaki said apologetically. "And you were raised by a nanny then?"

"Yeah, Greta," Nick smiled for the first time since they left the restaurant. "She's fantastic."

"She's why you're not so bad," Chiaki said, with a sly smile. "I'm sorry! I just had these preconceived notions of you being an arrogant jerk. You still are pretty arrogant, but you're not a jerk."

"Thanks I think," Nick smiled at her. "So tell me more about yourself... I wish I'd known I had a sister. I hated being an only child."

Chiaki grinned back. "Well, I grew up in London. My Mum owns a dance school back there and my Dad is an Auror."

"Wow," Nick nodded. "What about you, what do you do?"

"I dance," she answered. "I practically grew up in that dance school. It's all that I've ever really known how to do."

"What sort of dance?" Nick asked curiously.

"You name it and I do it," she said with a laugh. "Mostly ballet and tap, but I can do pretty much anything."

Nick nodded again as they came by the lake. "What do you do in your spare time?"

"What little I have of it, I spend with Toshio," she said, grinning at the thought of her fiancé.

"Who's that?" Nick asked.

She smiled and held out her left hand. "My fiancé. He's a dancer as well."

"You're getting married?" Nick's eyebrows shot up. "Damn, that's quite a ring!"

Chiaki laughed. "It's pretty nice, isn't it? He was saving up for ages to get it."

"Very nice," Nick said. "He must really care a lot about you."

"I think so," Chiaki said. She smiled at him. "So what about you? Did you leave someone behind in Australia?"

"I've never had a serious girlfriend," he said. "I'm usually too busy with the band to pay much attention although I do tend to attract a female crowd," he grinned.

"I can't imagine why," Chiaki teased. She looked over Nick's shoulder to see Julie and Ethan going into the lake. At least, Julie was. Ethan was standing on the shore, his arms crossed protectively across his chest. He was shaking his head and Julie was doing everything in her power to get him into the water.

Nick followed her gaze and his eyes rested on Julie. He must have been staring at her for a few minutes for Chiaki cleared her throat. "Sorry," he muttered, tearing his eyes away.

"She's my best friend," Chiaki said.

"Is she?" he asked, his voice a bit high. He coughed. "That's nice." he said in his normal tone.

"You fancy her, don't you?" Chiaki asked, looking at him.

"I don't even know her," Nick denied.

"You'd like to, though, wouldn't you?" Chiaki asked. "Look, Nick...I don't think you realize who she really is. That's Harry and Hermione Potter's daughter. You are the offspring of Draco and Ginny Malfoy. Your parents can't stand the sight of each other. Do you really think that sounds like a match made in heaven?"

Nick shrugged. "I'm not anything like my parents," he said simply.

"Yes, but Julie is very much like hers," Chiaki pointed out.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nick asked.

"Just that she's very much like her mother and father," Chiaki said more gently. "And I know how your parents feel about Muggles. Julie wants to teach Muggle children. Look, I shouldn't even be talking to you about this. I just...I'm looking out for my friend."

"How my parents feel about Muggles and how I feel about them are two separate things," Nick replied evenly. "I don't care one way or the other about them, which is also the way I feel about most of the people in our world." he picked a blade of grass and twisted it between his fingers. "All I've heard since I got here is how bad and nasty my parents are." he muttered.

Chiaki felt terrible. "I'm sorry..."

"It's not your fault," Nick said. "I'm not angry at you. I just wish that people would realise that I'm not my mum or dad. I can't help what they did and I can't fix it now."

"I can understand that," Chiaki said with a smile. "You're a bit like Julie in that respect. Do you know that when she got out of Hogwarts, she was offered job after job...doing anything she wanted."

"Really?" Nick turned to look at the brunette again, who had finally and successfully coaxed her brother into the water.

"She turned them all down," Chiaki said. "She didn't want to coast along on her father's name or because her mum was the Minister. She wanted to make her own way. She's always been really great with kids. She's trying to get a job at a Muggle school in London."

"Wow," Nick said softly.

"She's pretty great," Chiaki said, laughing as she watched Ethan run out of the water and Julie running after him.

"Sure seems so," Nick continued to stare after her.

"So how do you like your Uncle Ron?" Chiaki asked, deciding to get the subject off of Julie.

"He's pretty cool," Nick answered, still watching Julie. "Treats me like a member of the family, like I've been around all my life."

"That's Ron," Chiaki said. "He's one of my godfathers. And yes, I know it’s strange that I have two godfathers, but I do. Not my fault, you can blame my mum and dad for that one."

"I don't have godparents," Nick tossed the blade of grass to the ground. "I've only had Greta."

"She's been with your family since you were little?" Chiaki asked.

"Since I was born," Nick nodded. "She was around all the time. I don’t' once remember her ever leaving to go anywhere without me." he smiled. "And when I got too old for a nanny she stayed on as a housekeeper." his smile turned into a scowl. "My parents treat her horribly though. I don't know why she stays on."

"I imagine it has to do with you," Chiaki said, nudging him playfully on the shoulder.

"Yeah, well..." Nick's lips evened out again. "She's the only person I've ever had to lean on. She's the one who encouraged me to start singing."

"More like a mum than your real one, eh?" Chiaki asked.

"More than you know," Nick agreed, nodding.

Chiaki grinned. "I'd like to meet her someday."

"You would?" Nick asked surprised.

"I would," Chiaki said, nodding. "You are my brother after all. I'd like to get to know you better as well. I know your mum won't like it, but so what, right?"

"I don't care what she says," Nick replied.

"Good," Chiaki said, looking at her watch. "I better get back. I promised I'd watch the girls while my mum rehearsed for tonight."

"Okay," Nick stood up. "It was nice talking to you."

"Don't be a stranger, Nick," Chiaki said, wondering if she should shake his hand or give him a hug. Deciding to take her chances, she gave him a hug.

He was surprised but grateful and hugged her back. "Say hi to your sisters for me," he grinned.

"They'll faint," Chiaki said, giggling as she walked away toward her cabin.

Nick turned back towards the lake and watched Julie in the water again with her brother. He couldn't exactly figure out his feelings for her but he was damned if he'd give up trying to pursue her now.

*** *** ***

Hermione watched her husband and friend dance around the ballroom. They still looked as breathtaking together as they had so many years ago when she'd first seen them. Memories of that afternoon in the dance studio made a smile curve her lips up and she let out a small almost silent happy sigh.

"Wow, doesn't that look like old times," Ginny's familiar drawl made Hermione's shoulders hunch up.

"I suppose it does," she answered coolly.

"You know everyone always figured they'd end up together," Ginny commented. "It's a shame really...they move so perfectly together, don't they? Much more smoothly than I've seen him with others..."

Hermione rolled her eyes and chose not to reply to that comment.

Julie came up and stood beside her mother.

"I was afraid I was going to miss it," Julie said smiling at Hermione. "They look great, don't they?"

"Yes they do sweetheart," Hermione put an arm around her daughter and pointedly ignored Ginny, who was still smirking.

"You must be...Jessica, was it?" Ginny asked, standing it front of Julie and blocking her view. "I'm Ginny Malfoy."

Hermione glared at her. "Get away Ginny," she said her tone cold. "Leave my daughter alone."

"I was only trying to be polite," Ginny said, standing back. "You could learn a thing or two about that couldn't you?"

Julie looked at her disinterestedly. "IF you don't mind," she began in a tone as cool and proper as her mother's. "We're trying to watch my father and my aunt dance."

"So was I," Ginny said with a shrug. "I always did like the way Harry moved."

Julie looked at her mother and rolled her eyes. "I'll bet you did," she muttered, not liking the other woman one bit.

Hermione grinned as Harry and Cho spun past them and her husband winked at her.

"That's really pathetic how that woman is trying to make you jealous of Dad and Aunt Cho," Julie whispered to her mother.

"Just ignore her, sweetheart," Hermione whispered back. "She wants to get a rise out of us."

"I know," Julie said. "Like mother like son."

Hermione nodded and clapped enthusiastically with the others as the dance came to an end and her husband made his way back over to them.

"That was brilliant, Dad!" Julie said, giving him a hug.

"You still have it, Harry," Ginny said, smiling flirtatiously at him.

Harry's smile froze and he gave her an icy stare. "Thanks love," he hugged his daughter. "I'd like to take my wife for a spin," he said, giving Hermione a kiss.

"Come on, Harry," Ginny said, not about to give up. "We haven't danced together since we were kids..."

"Go away Ginny," he said disgustedly. "Why would you want to hang around people who can't stand you?"

"Everyone knows if SHE hadn't come along when she did, we'd have ended up together," Ginny said, glaring at Hermione.

Julie couldn't believe the nerve of this woman. She stood back though; content to let her parents handle it.

"Can I tell you something Ginny?" Harry's eyes were turning dark. "Even if Hermione hadn't come along, and I’m thankful every damn day of my life that she did, I still wouldn't have gotten together with you."

"You don't know that," Ginny said, angrily. This wasn't going how she'd planned. She'd hoped to catch Harry's eye and perhaps word would get back to Draco and...but nothing was going as planned.

"Yes I do," Harry took his wife's hand. "You've never been my type." he snickered at her.

"Come on, Harry," Hermione said, smiling at him. "You owe me a dance..."

"That I do," Harry looked at his daughter. "You're next love so don't go far."

Julie smiled and watched as her parents went off to dance. Her smile faded as she saw that Ginny, too, was still looking at them.

"My mother is more the woman than you'll ever be," Julie said to Ginny. "She's kind and compassionate and warm and she's a great mother. You're just a cold, lonely woman who wants what she can't have. And you've never been able to have my father and that kills you, doesn't it?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "You've got a smart mouth on you girl," she said.

"I get that from my mother," Julie said proudly.

"Anyone can see that," Ginny said disdainfully.

"Why don't you leave them alone?" Julie asked, rolling her eyes as she saw Nick walking their way. She tried not to notice how handsome he looked in his dark suit.

"What's going on…Mother?" Nick asked, his lip curling up slightly.

"Nothing," Ginny said forcing a smile. "I was just getting to know Jessica here."

"Julie," Julie and Nick corrected at the same time. Julie blushed.

"I'm sorry," Ginny said, smiling falsely. "Julie."

Julie decided to do as her mother said and ignore the two Malfoys. She stepped closer to the dance floor and smiled as she watched her father dip her mother.

Nick admired her from behind, he wanted to reach out and touch her soft skin that was exposed by her dress. He didn't realise that he'd actually done that until she turned around.

"Did you want something?" Julie asked, glaring at him.

"Sorry," Nick said. "Didn't mean to..."

"Nicholas," Ginny said, frowning. "I'm going to the bar and get a drink. Don't wander too far."

Julie laughed as Ginny walked away. "Yeah, Nicholas, don't wander too far..."

Nick frowned at her. "Call me Nick. I hate the name Nicholas."

"I don't plan on getting to know you well enough to call you anything," Julie said dismissively, turning back around to watch her parents.

"You know," Nick sidled up next to her. "Your friend Chiaki, my sister- she doesn't think I'm so bad."

Julie stared at him in shock. Chiaki hadn't mentioned this to her. "You've spoken with Chiaki?"

Nick smiled winningly at her. "Yes down by the lake earlier today."

"Chiaki hasn't been feeling well lately," Julie said, trying not to look rattled by this news. She certainly planned to talk to her best friend and find out why she didn't tell her about any of this. "Besides, I imagine you can be very charming when you want to be."

"Why yes I can be," Nick took her hand and pressed his lips to the back of it.

Julie felt her knees weaken a bit, but she wasn't about to let him see he was affecting her in any way. She pulled her hand back and frowned at him.

"Come on," Nick widened his eyes slightly. "The sooner you stop fighting this the better off both of us will be."

"Fighting what?" Julie asked, folding her arms.

"This attraction," Nick leaned in close. "As if you couldn't tell already, I find you very attractive."

"And I find you very repulsive," Julie said, pulling away.

"Ouch," Nick said. "Jules..." he put his hand on her bare shoulder.

"Only my friends and family call me that," she said quietly. "You don't qualify for either of those. Please, just go away."

"Not until you agree to give me a chance," Nick said.

"You're going to be waiting a long time," Julie said, not able to forget the fact that his hand was still on her shoulder. "I'm never giving you a chance."

Nick let his hand drop. "All right fine," he said, realising he was losing this battle.

"Julie?" Harry said, coming back over to his daughter with Hermione. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine Dad," Julie forced a smile onto her face. "Ready for that dance?"

"Of course," Harry said, kissing Hermione on the cheek. He turned to Julie, but Nick came forward and extended his hand.

"Mr. Potter," he said confidently. "I'm Nick Malfoy."

Harry looked for a moment at his archenemy's child. "Harry Potter," he said, shaking the younger man's hand.

"It's nice to meet you," Nick said, giving his most winsome smile. He grinned at Hermione, as well. "And you too, Minister."

Hermione shook his hand, sharing a surprised glance with Harry. Ron had told them about Nick and the differences between him and his parents but she hadn't met him until now. "The pleasure's all mine," she said with an air of diplomacy. "Ron tells us you hadn't met any of your family until now."

Nick smiled. "There's a lot of family still to meet from what I gather. I really am looking forward to meeting my grandparents."

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Well I know for a fact they're anxious to meet you, especially Molly." Julie tugged on his arm.

It was also at that moment that Ginny decided to make another appearance, much to Nick's chagrin. "Nicholas," she said, forcing a smile. "I see you've met Harry and his plain wife."

Nick exhaled slowly. "Yes Mum, I've met Mr. Potter and the Minister."

Ginny smiled and raised her glass at Hermione. She deliberately let her glass tip over and the red wine spilled all over Hermione's dress. "Oops," Ginny said, with not a trace of sincerity. "I'm so sorry!"

Nick grabbed his mother's wrist. "Why did you do that?" he snapped furiously.

"My hand slipped," Ginny said, smiling brightly. "I apologised, didn't I?"

"We have to go," Nick didn't release his grip. "Good night." he didn't glance back as he pulled his mother out of the room.

"What did she do?" Cho hurried over. "Oh Hermione your dress!"

"It's okay," Hermione said, frowning. "You'd think she'd have grown up by now."

Harry shook his head. "I feel sorry for Nick," he said, making Julie's jaw drop. "I think Ron was right about him."

"He was quite charming this morning when we met him," Cho commented. "He obviously doesn't take after either of his parents."

Outside, Nick was practically dragging his mother across the resort. "How could you embarrass me like that?" he hissed through clenched teeth.

"Me embarrass you?" Ginny retorted. "You were practically falling all over yourself to impress them, weren't you? Your father would be so upset if he knew what you were trying to do."

"I don't give a shit what my father thinks!" Nick practically shouted. "Forget our deal. You're on your own here. I've had it."

"You know you're father and I have been thinking about downsizing some of the house staff," Ginny said, deciding to play her trump card. "Greta's been with us a long time, but you do realise that you're not a child anymore. You're hardly home, neither are we. It'd be a shame for her to be sacked, don't you think?"

Nick narrowed his eyes at her. "That's blackmail." he said darkly.

"One of the first things I learned from your father was that desperate times call for desperate measures. Right now, I need you here with me, Nick. I'll do anything I can to keep you here."

Nick stared at her. "Fine," he snapped. "But I don't have to be with you every second." he turned and stomped away, wanting to be nowhere near his mother at the moment.

*** *** ***

It was near midnight when Julie and her parents left the ballroom with Neville and Cho. They'd had a great time, despite Ginny Malfoy's attempts to ruin the evening for them.

"I just wish someone would explain to me why she thought she could show her face back here after what she did," Cho said, shivering in the cool night air even though Neville had graciously given her his dinner jacket. "It's not like she has any friends here!"

"She was making snide and rude comments to Mum the entire time you were dancing with Dad," Julie said, shaking her head.

"I can't believe she spilled wine all over you on purpose," Harry said angrily.

"Nothing she does surprises me anymore," Hermione said, moving closer to Harry so she too could keep warm.

Harry slid his jacket on over her shoulders. "Better?" he asked softly.

"Much," she said, smiling up at him.

"She and her son seem to be cut from the same mould," Julie couldn't get the memory of Nick, so handsome with his suit on and his hand on her bare shoulder out of her head.

"I think you're wrong, Jules," Cho said. "I told you about meeting him this morning, he was perfectly charming. Allie and Frankie sure were practically drooling..."

"Ron has nothing but good things to say about him, too," Harry chimed in.

"That seems impossible," Julie wrapped her arms around herself.

"I think you're right to be a little wary," Hermione said to her daughter. "We don't really know much about him, but you shouldn't judge him by who his parents are. That's not very fair."

Julie rolled her eyes. Just a few days ago her parents were convinced that Nick was just like his parents and now like everyone else they were singing his praises.

"Jules?" Harry asked. "Do you mind telling me where you and Ethan got to today? He and I were supposed to have our father-son bonding thing and he tells me he'd rather spend time with you...is there something I should know?"

Julie grinned. "Well, how about I tell you where Ethan and I went if you tell me where you and Mum disappeared this afternoon?"

Harry and Hermione both turned red and Cho laughed. "Julie you really don't expect an answer do you?" she asked.

"No, and I'm not sure I want one," Julie said with a laugh.

"I just helped your dad rehearse is all," Hermione said. "It was perfectly innocent."

Cho snorted. "About as innocent as Ginny."

Hermione went silent and Harry squeezed her shoulder.

"Mind your own business, Cho," Harry called out to his friend. "And can we please not talk about this in front of my little girl?"

"Dad I'm not so little," Julie said.

"You'll always be my little girl," Harry said, smiling at her. "No matter how old you get...."

"Right Dad," Julie rolled her eyes.

"I'm trying to be sentimental," Harry said, hurt a bit by his daughter's reaction. Truth be told, he could understand her wanting to be recognized as a young woman, but to him she would always be that sweet little girl who sat beside him on the sofa asking him to read to her.

Julie was about to reply when she caught sight of pale, silvery blond hair on the path in front of them. "Oh no," she groaned to herself.

"What's wrong, Julie?" Hermione asked, when her daughter abruptly stopped walking.

"It's him," Julie looked ahead to the approaching figure of Nick Malfoy. What was he doing out so late, she wondered.

"Nick?" Neville called out. "You're out late, aren't you?"

"Hi everyone," he looked tired but forced a smile onto his face. "Minister, I'm very sorry about what my mother did to your dress." he said.

"Nick, you can call me Hermione," she said. "And don't worry about it."

Nick shrugged. "I still feel bad about it."

"Please don't," Harry answered for both him and his wife. "Ron's told us about you, and he's had nothing bad to say and we've only known you a few days."

Nick was pleasantly surprised to find that the Potters were actually being kind to him. After everything his mother and father had told him, he'd have thought they'd have wanted to draw and quarter him just because he had the surname of Malfoy. While he might be winning over her parents, he could tell that Julie wasn't the least bit pleased.

Julie faked a large yawn. "I think I'm going to go back to the cabin. I'm quite tired."

"Are you sure sweetheart?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, I was up early," Julie nodded. "Goodnight everyone."

"Why don't I walk you back?" Nick offered suddenly.

"No, that's alright," Julie said quickly.

"Oh come on sweetheart, I don't like the idea of you walking around here by yourself so late." Harry objected.

"Fine," Julie said coolly, not bothering to wait for Nick as she took off in the direction of her cabin.

"Hey wait!" Nick dashed after her.

Julie didn't slow down at his words, if anything she just walked faster.

"Julie!" Nick had to run to catch up to her.

"Why don't you just leave me alone?" Julie asked, still walking at a fast pace. "I'm a big girl. I can make it back to my cabin by myself."

"I know you can," Nick caught her arm. "Look I'm just trying to be nice. Do you always act this way to guys who are trying to get to know you?"

"Do you always keep after girls who don't want to get to know you?" Julie countered. "You know I'm sure that there are loads of girls who would love to have you pursue them, but as for me..."

"Yeah well I don't like them," Nick said. "I like you."

Julie stopped walking and looked at him properly. "Why?" she asked him. "Why do you like me?"

Nick shrugged, still holding onto her arm. "I think you're pretty," he said honestly. "And you confuse me. I see you with your family and your friends and you're happy, and then you can shut down so fast when someone you don't like comes by."

Julie wasn't sure what to make of this. She was silent for a few moments, not looking up at him. "You confuse me, too," she said. "I can't figure you out."

"Well I'll tell you anything you want to know," he offered.

Julie finally looked up at him. "What are you really doing here?"

"What do you mean?" he was confused.

"You're some big hotshot musician in Australia, right?" Julie asked. "Why would you come here with your mother for some reunion? And its not as if your mum has any friends here, either. I just don't understand why either of you is here."

"Look," Nick said as they began walking again. "I'm not close with either of my parents okay? But she begged me to go with her. And despite the fact that I barely know my parents, I have this stupid sense of loyalty to her."

"Your Uncle Ron feels the same way about her," Julie heard herself saying, wondering why she was talking to him at all about any of this. "Your grandparents--Arthur and Molly---it broke their hearts when your mother left. I once heard Ron telling my dad that he couldn't ever forgive Ginny for what she'd done, but he couldn't just let her go because she was his family."

"I've missed out on a lot," Nick said. "I really want to try though." he could barely breathe- was he finally making a breakthrough with her?

"Your mother's hurt a lot of people...people that I care about," Julie said. "I-I'm sorry if I took it out on you..."

"It's okay," Nick said, smiling at her. "Does this mean we can start over?"

"Start over?" Julie asked, trying not to look directly into his eyes. He really was quite handsome when he smiled, she thought to herself.

"Yeah," Nick brushed his hair out of his eyes. "And this time I won't be smarmy when I meet you."

"You weren't smarmy," Julie admitted. "I'd say you were...arrogant, smug and a bit pompous, if you don't mind me saying."

Nick laughed. "All right, so I didn't handle that the best way..."

"Neither did I," she said shyly. "I was pretty horrible to you."

"Well so..." Nick moved forward. "Let's start over. Nick Malfoy," he stuck his hand out.

Julie tried hard not to smile back at him, but couldn't help it. She shook his hand. "Julie Potter."

"Very nice to meet you," Nick said. They both laughed. "Well now that the awkward part is out of the way..."

"I-I should probably get inside," she said, grateful that they were approaching her cabin. It wasn't because she wasn't enjoying his company...she was. It was because she didn't know what would happen if she got to know him better.

"Okay," his voice was as soft as hers. "Thank you," he said.

She looked at him. "For what? I didn't do anything..."

"You're giving me a chance here," Nick said, standing close to her. "That's something."

Julie shivered, but it wasn't from the cool air. "Yes, well..." she said uncomfortably. "I-I'll see you around, Nick. Thank you for walking me back."

"So I'll see you tomorrow then maybe?" he asked, not quite ready to say goodnight yet.

"I'm going to be really busy with my brother," she said, which wasn't a complete lie. She was going to spend the morning helping Ethan with swimming.

"The whole day?" Nick pursued.

"Not the whole day," Julie admitted. "I was planning on going back to the club with Chiaki tomorrow evening. She doesn't know it but her fiancé is planning on surprising her tomorrow. He sent me an owl to let me know."

"So I'll see you at the club then," Nick smiled. "If not sooner..."

Julie opened her mouth to protest, but Nick was already walking away. "What on earth have I just gotten myself into?" she asked aloud, shaking her head as she walked into the cabin.

6. The Trouble with Love

A/N: Thanks again everyone for all your kind words and encouragement on this fic. We don’t yet have a chapter count, but we DO have a surprise for you all after we finish with this! We’re not saying what yet, so you’ll have to stay tuned to find out what it is ;)

This fic won’t be as long as Time of their Life, but it’s definitely up there. We’re glad that most of you are warming up to Nick and hate Ginny- that’s our purpose right there ;)

As always, thanks for reading and don’t forget to let us know what you think!

The Trouble With Love- Kelly Clarkson

Love can be a many splendored thing
Can’t deny the joy it brings
A dozen roses, diamond rings
Dreams for sale and fairy tales
It’ll make you hear a symphony
And you just want the world to see
But like a drug that makes you blind,
It’ll fool ya every time.

The trouble with love is
It can tear you up inside
Make your heart believe a lie
It’s stronger than your pride.
The trouble with love is
It doesn’t care how fast you fall
And you can’t refuse the call
See, you got no say at all.

"It's good to have you around mate," Neville said as he and Seamus headed towards the restaurant. "It's been too long since we saw or heard from you."

"It's good to be back," Seamus admitted. "I'm sorry for not keeping in better touch with all of you. Believe it or not, I've missed all of you...even Ron."

"Ron and his large appetite?" Neville laughed.

"That's what I love about Ron, though," Seamus said, chuckling. "He never changes."

"Nope," Neville replied. "So tell me more about Summer."

"There's not much to tell," Seamus said, as he and Neville walked into the restaurant.

"Well how long have you been dating?" Neville inquired.

"A few months," Seamus replied, as they sat down. "She had a small part in one of my films. One thing sort of led to another and we're dating...it just happened."

"You don't sound so thrilled about it," Neville took a menu.

"I am," Seamus said defensively. "But its still early days for us. She's fun."

Neville nodded. "Well as long as you like her, there's no room to complain." he said.

"I do," Seamus grinned. After they placed their breakfast orders, Seamus grinned at his friend.

"Look at you...husband and father."

"I was husband and father before you left," Neville laughed. "I just have two more rugrats that are growing too fast for my taste."

"I know," Seamus said, shaking his head. "The last time I saw you...was right after Allison was born."

"I can't believe it's been that long," Neville said.

"Too long," Seamus admitted. "But with the way things ended with me and Lav..."

Neville shook his head. "She won't talk about it to anyone, you know."

"She didn't?" Seamus asked, surprised. He'd expected her to tell everyone about what had happened and try to turn all their friends against him.

"Nope," Neville replied. "We just heard from Hermione that you two had broken up and the next thing we all knew, you were in LA."

"Lavender wouldn't listen to me," Seamus said, leaning back in his chair. "And I tried to explain, but she wouldn't let me get one word in edgewise."

Neville shrugged. "None of us know what happened, at all."

"She thought I cheated on her," Seamus said.

Neville almost choked on his water. "Did you just say cheated?

"Aye," Seamus said, nodding. "With my assistant of all things."

Neville blinked, confused. "Want to start at the beginning?"

"I can't believe she didn't tell any of you about this," Seamus said, evading the question. "Didn't you even try and ask her what happened?"

"Of course we did." Neville replied.

"And what did she say?" Seamus asked curiously.

"Nothing!" Neville replied. "She just said things weren't working out between you and then you left."

Seamus couldn't believe this. "Well, it wasn't my fault. It was hers. She's as bloody stubborn as Hermione when she thinks she's right. I keep thinking if it wasn't for what happened that summer with Malfoy, she might have at least let me explain, but she wouldn't. Slammed the door in my face and said I was as bad as him!"

"That sounds about right," Neville replied as the waiter came to take their order. "So..." he said once they were alone again. "Want to fill me in?"

"It's ancient history, Nev," Seamus said, not really wanting to relive this. No one had really known what he'd planned to do that day when she'd broken things off with him. He'd never told anyone.

"Well you wanted to know what she said," Neville countered.

"You promise not to tell anyone this?" Seamus asked seriously. "Not even Cho, because you know once she gets wind of this..."

"I swear," Neville replied.

Seamus exhaled. "I was going to propose. I'd had everything planned....we'd been dating for nearly five years by then, you know? We were the last of the group not married...and you lot never let us forget it, either."

Neville shook his head. "I remember that, we all wondered if you two were going to live in sin or tie the knot."

"But, I figured that you were right," Seamus said. "We'd been together for so long. It felt right. I even went and spoke with her uncle and asked for his blessing."

"Wow," Neville said. "We had no idea Seamus..."

Seamus shrugged. "So I set about trying to think of the most romantic way to do it. I didn't want to ask any of you because I didn't want anyone in our group to know just yet... so I asked Lola for help."

"And that was your assistant right?" Neville asked.

Seamus nodded. "She was really fantastic. She helped me do research on different restaurants and even went with me to the jewellers to pick out rings. There was nothing out of sorts about it...it was all perfectly platonic. The night before I was going to do it, Lola was over helping me plan...we were also working on that independent film I was going to start directing. Anyway, she and I were both knackered and we fell asleep on the sofa."

"And Lavender walked in..." Seamus filled in the blanks. "Shite..."

"Yeah," Seamus said. "To make matters worse there was a problem in my flat with the heat and Lola had stripped down to her knickers and I was just in my boxers. I'll give Lavender this much, it did look bad, but she certainly didn't even give me a chance to explain."

"No kidding," Neville said. "No offence mate but I'd have thought the same thing."

"I know," Seamus said, sighing. "But we'd been together for so long, Nev. She at least owed me the chance to explain."

"Yeah," Neville said bemusedly. "I would have been pissed initially but at least have let you talk later on once I'd cooled down."

"But not Lavender," Seamus said. "She wouldn't listen. I tried everything I could...but I just...I got fed up. I couldn't take it anymore so I left."

"And she still won't talk to you aye?" Neville asked.

"No, she'll talk to me," Seamus said, and briefly related for his friend what had happened the other day at the ice cream parlour.

Neville laughed. "You called her a bitch?"

"She was acting like one!" Seamus reasoned.

"Sure sounds like it," Neville said. "She's changed quite a bit since... you left."

"How do you mean?" Seamus asked.

"Well," Neville leaned in. "She's been married twice, although she had them annulled and denies that they ever happened."

"Whoa!" Seamus said, taken aback. "She's been married TWICE?"

Neville nodded. "The first one lasted only two days. The second lasted three weeks."

"I can't believe I hadn't heard about this!" Seamus asked, still somewhat in shock. Admittedly, he hadn't really kept up on what had happened in the Wizarding World since he'd left, but he wondered why no one had bothered to mention it to him. Although he hadn't seen his friends in years, he still talked to them occasionally on the phone or in letters.

"Did this make the Prophet?" Seamus asked.

"Of course it did," Neville said. "Lav's become bigger tabloid fodder than Harry and Hermione."

"Is she seeing anyone now?" Seamus asked, trying to sound as if he didn't care one way or the other.

"Nope," Neville said. "Hasn't for awhile now."

"Oh," Seamus answered, glad that the waiter had arrived with their food.

Both men dug into their lunches. "So what does Summer think of Lavender?" Neville couldn't help but ask.

"She doesn't quite know what to make of her," Seamus answered. "And neither do I."

"Well... we still have over three weeks left here." Neville said with his mouth full.

"I'm not so sure Summer and I are going to stay for too much longer," Seamus said, before taking a swig of his water.

"How come?" Neville asked. "I know everyone's anxious to catch up with you."

"I've got a lot going on in LA," Seamus said. "I can't be away for too much longer."

Neville gave him a look. "Steve can hook you up with a Floo connection. He did it for Harry and Hermione."

"I haven't used Floo in ages," Seamus said with a laugh. "Okay, Nev. You've talked me into it, but please don't try and start something up between Lav and me, okay? That ship has sailed."

"I wasn't going to," Neville said, but a tiny nagging thought in the back of his head was saying otherwise.

*** *** ***

Allison Longbottom couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun. She'd actually complained to Frankie just this morning about how nothing exciting ever happened. Other than getting to meet Nick Malfoy, things had been sort of ho-hum. It always seemed that exciting things happened to other people, but not her.

That all changed today when out of the blue, Josh had invited her to go swimming. She'd always had a bit of a crush on him, but because she was a year younger, she thought he didn't see her as anything other than a little girl.

She smiled shyly at him as they made their way toward their towels on the shore. "You're really a great swimmer," she said softly.

"Thanks," Josh said. "Julie showed me how to swim. I used to be scared of the water."

"I didn't know that," Allison said, smiling at him.

"Yeah, back when we still lived in England." Josh said wistfully.

"I miss having you guys around," Allison admitted. "I don't get to...I mean, we don't get to see enough of each other...our families, you know?"

"Yeah I know," Josh's eyes were scanning the lake for signs of Julie or Ethan. "When I finish Hogwarts I'm moving back to England."

"That'd be great!" Allison gushed.

Josh smiled at her and turned back to the lake. "I thought she was going to be here!" he muttered when he couldn't find any trace of Julie.

"What did you just say?" Allison asked. "I couldn't quite hear you?"

"Julie," Josh replied. "I thought she was going to be here."

"She is," Allison said, motioning behind him. Julie was walking hand in hand with Ethan toward the lake. She wore a deep blue bikini top and cut-off denim shorts.

"Julie!" Josh's face brightened considerably. "Over here!" he waved wildly.

Allison couldn't help but notice the change in Josh's mood at the sight of Julie. She'd known, of course, that Josh had always liked Julie, but she didn't know he liked her this much.

"Hi, guys," Julie said warmly to them. "Josh, I am so glad to see you!"

"You are?" Josh asked excitedly.

Julie nodded. "I was hoping you might help Ethan and me today. He thinks you're amazing and I was thinking that if you went swimming with us today, he'd like it more than he does. What do you say? You would have my undying gratitude..."

"Sure," Josh said. "Anything for you..." he turned bright red. "You and Ethan."

Julie clapped her hands together and gave him a warm hug. "Thanks so much, Josh!"

Allison had never in her life seen Josh beam the way he did as he hugged Julie back.

Ethan laughed. "Josh did you get a sunburn?" he asked.

"No," Josh said, looking quizzically at the little boy. "Why do you ask that?"

"Your face is all red." Ethan pointed out.

"It is?" Josh asked, blushing even worse. "Well, its hot out here..."

Julie blushed a bit and turned away, thinking she might have been too enthusiastic in her thank you to Josh. "Maybe we'd better get in the lake," she suggested.

"Great," Josh said, smiling at her. "Come on, Ethan."

Allison frowned, but put on a brave face. "You guys have fun. I promised Frankie I'd take her into town."

"But I thought you were coming swimming with us," Josh was confused. She had seemed so excited when he asked her to go with them.

"I-I was," Allison stammered. "But I did promise Frankie. You go on ahead. I'll catch up with you later."

"Allie..." Josh said as she turned and went back up the path towards the cabins.

"Come on, Josh!" Ethan said, taking his hand. "Let's go..."

Julie smiled. "This is a first. He actually wants to go into the water!"

"Yeah," Josh said, unsure of why he felt so bad about Allison not staying with them.

"I'm still not diving!" Ethan warned his sister. "You can't make me!"

"We're getting there Ethan," Julie tossed her shorts aside and got in the water.

"Was she this bad when she taught you?" Ethan whispered to Josh.

"I heard that!" Julie said, resurfacing.

"She was worse," Josh teased.

"Hey I can leave you know," Julie said. "There are other people here who enjoy the pleasure of my company believe it or not!" she dove under again to hide her grin as she thought of Nick walking her back the night before.

Josh winked conspiratorially at Ethan.

"Watch this," he said, quietly before diving into the water. Josh surfaced a moment later and he and Julie proceeded to get into a splash fight. "What do you think, Ethan? Think I should show your sister some mercy?" Josh called out.

"No way!" Ethan called back, glad he was still on dry land.

"Ethan!" Julie exclaimed right before Josh splashed her again. "Josh Weasley, you don't fight fair!"

"Who said I was fair?" Josh grinned, his stomach fluttering as she splashed him back.

From the shore, Allison watched the two of them and wondered why it couldn't have been her in the lake with Josh. They looked to be having such a great time. She sighed and looked at them one last time before walking away. When she made it back to the cabin, she was glad to see that her mother was there.

"Hi, Mum," Allison said, sinking down into the sofa beside Cho.

"Hello sweetheart," Cho smiled at her daughter.

"Do you mind if I hang out in here with you today?" Allison asked, resting her head on her mother's shoulder.

"Of course not," Cho put an arm around her. "But why would you want to hang around your boring old Mum when you have your friends here?

"You're not boring, Mum." Allison said. "Old, maybe, but not boring..."

"Hey! I am not old!" Cho said,

"I was only teasing," Allison said, laughing. She always felt better talking to her mother like this. "So how was the ballroom last night? I still wish Frankie and I could have seen it."

"Oh it was lovely for the most part." Cho said.

Allison sat up. "Did something happen?"

"That woman your father and I told you about was there, and she spilled her wine all over Hermione's dress." Cho frowned. "She's quite immature."

"That's terrible," Allison said. "Even Frankie's not that bad!"

"No she's far from being that bad," Cho replied.

Allison giggled. She was silent for a few moments before looking at Cho. "Mum, do you think I'm pretty?" Allison asked nervously. "And don't just say that you think I am because you feel obligated because you're my mother. Tell me what you really think."

Cho stared at her daughter. "Did Ginny say anything to you?" she asked, wondering why her daughter would ever ask that question.

Allison vehemently shook her head. "No, I've never spoken to Ginny."

"Well why would you ask that?" Cho replied. "Of course you're pretty. You're a beautiful young girl."

"I've never been on a date," Allison answered sadly. "No one's ever asked me out for anything...until today, but then..."

"Until today?" Cho asked.

Allison blushed. "Josh asked me to go swimming."

Cho smiled. "I had an idea that you fancied him," she said.

Alison looked sternly at her mother. "Don't breathe a word of this to anyone, Mum. I know how you are."

"Allison!" Cho gasped. "I would never tell anyone!"

"Not intentionally, of course,'" Allison said, "but you always find a way of letting things slip. I am begging you, Mum. Don't tell anyone about this. Not Dad. Not Frankie. No one."

"All right!" Cho said.

Alison rested her head on Cho's shoulder again. "It doesn't really matter if I do fancy him," she said sadly. "He likes someone else."

"Yes but sweetheart," Cho said gently. "Julie's four years older than he is... and I don't think she likes him back. She's just being nice."

"Try telling him that," Allison said with a sigh.

"Is she encouraging it?" Cho asked.

"I don't think so," Allison answered. "Not intentionally anyway. But, she asked if he'd help her with Ethan and when he said yes, she hugged him and he grinned so much I saw every tooth in his mouth!"

Cho smiled at that mental image. "Well why didn't you stay and help out too?"

"What good would I have done?" Allison asked. "I'd have gotten in the way of his attempts to impress Julie."

"But he asked you," Cho stressed. "He asked you to go swimming with him."

"Yeah, he did," Allison admitted. "What do you think I should do?"

"Go back down there and show him that you're a good sport!" Cho replied. "How's Josh going to realise you fancy him if you don't show him."

"I will," Allison said, "but I'd really like to just stay here with you now. I'll try and talk to him again before dinner tonight."

"Are you sure sweetheart?" Cho asked.

"Positive," Allison said with a smile. She kissed her mother on the cheek. "You're the best, Mum."

"So are you love." Cho put her arm around her daughter. "So what do you want to do?"

"How about we do each other's nails?" Allison asked excitedly.

Cho laughed. "All right," she said, getting up.

"Aunt Lavender let me borrow some of her silver polish," Allison said, leading her mother into the bedroom she and Frankie were sharing. She felt so much better. Perhaps her mother was right, Allison thought. Maybe she'd be able to turn things around...starting tonight.

*** *** ***

"So?" Julie asked her best friend, sitting down opposite her in the restaurant. She'd been looking all over for Chiaki and finally found her havinga late lunch. "Were you planning on telling me?"

"Telling you what?" Chiaki looked at her in confusion.

"The fact that you'd met and spoken with your brother," Julie answered simply.

"Nick?" Chiaki asked. "I was going to tell you but we've all been busy!"

"Oh," Julie said, leaning back in her chair. A waiter came over and asked if she wanted to order, but she shook her head. When they were alone again, Julie leaned forward. "I saw him last night. Right after his mother was completely horrible to my mum."

"What happened?" Chiaki asked. "I had a headache otherwise I'd have been there too."

"Your mum and my dad were dancing," Julie explained. "Mum and I were watching and the next thing I know that horrible woman was right in front of us making rude comments. Long story short, she spilled her wine all over my mum's dress..."

"What?" Chiaki's eyes grew wide.

"I know," Julie said, shaking her head. She became angry every single time she thought about what had happened. "She said it was an accident, but none of us were buying it. Nick came up to us and he didn't look too happy with her. They left and when we were walking back...we ran into Nick. He, um, offered to walk me back to my cabin."

Chiaki, who had been about to take a bite of her pasta salad, let her fork drop onto her plate, "What? He what?"

"He offered to walk me back to my cabin," Julie answered, blushing. "I didn't want him to, but my dad went into protective mode and so I just said okay so I could get out of there."

"And?" Chiaki seemed to have forgotten her food. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened," Julie said, looking down at the table. "He walked me home. End of story."

"No it's not," Chiaki shook her head. "You're blushing, and whenever you blush and look away that means something happened!"

"Seriously, Chiaki," Julie said, looking up. "Nothing happened. I mean, we talked. And it was sort of nice, but that's it. Honestly."

Chiaki sat back in her chair. "You know he fancies you right?"

"How could I not?" Julie said with a slight laugh. "He's everywhere I go. But, I'm probably just a challenge to him. I'm sure some much prettier girl will come along and turn his head and I'll just be an afterthought."

Chiaki shook her head. "You know, I don't think so." she looked around to make sure no one was listening. "He's really not a bad bloke. He opened up to me yesterday morning- Nick hasn't had a very good home life. He was raised by a nanny. Look who his parents are, yet despite that first night we all met he's been very polite and receptive to meeting his family members."

"His mother is really horrible," Julie agreed. "And from what I hear about his dad...I'm sorry, Chiaki. I shouldn't have said..."

"It's okay," Chiaki said. "In my mind, he's not my real father." she shrugged.

"Are you...are you disappointed that he's not here?" Julie asked.

"No," Chiaki answered. "I've never met him, even though sometimes I'm a bit curious."

"That's understandable," Julie said, nodding. "And if you don't mind me saying, you've got a great father already. Uncle Neville's fantastic."

"Yes he is," Chiaki finished her lunch. "So... what are you going to do about Nick? Sounds to me like you've softened up a little."

"I'm not going to do anything," Julie answered. "Come on, Chiaki. He lives in Australia for one thing. I live here. Trust me, its best if he and I are just friends. And I'm not even sure if we're that yet. I am going to try and be nicer to him, so at least that's a start, right?"

"I suppose," Chiaki said as they left the restaurant. "For now."

*** *** ***

Hermione sighed softly, not wanting to wake up. She and Harry had snuck into his old cabin with a blanket, since all the furniture in there was long gone, and had made love three times before falling asleep in each other's arms. By the looks of the light outside, it was late afternoon and she knew they'd be missed if they stayed much longer. "Harry," she said. "We have to get going..."

"Five more minutes," he said sleepily, pulling her closer.

Being in his arms felt so good that she agreed and snuggled back into his side. "I'm so tired," she mumbled.

"It's your own fault," he said, his voice scratchy. "You nearly killed me today, woman."

"I didn't hear you complaining at the time," Hermione said.

"It wasn't a complaint," he said, running a hand down her bare arm. "It was just an observation."

"Right," Hermione leaned over and kissed him. "Come on Harry, we have to get back to the cabin. I don't want Ethan being there alone."

"He's probably with Julie," Harry said, reluctantly sitting up and reaching around blindly for his glasses, which Hermione handed to him with a smile. "Thanks."

"Anytime," Hermione kissed him again. "I wish they'd left your furniture in here. What do they use this room for now anyway?"

"Storage," Harry answered. "I had to clean this place out myself this morning."

Hermione fell back onto the blanket and laughed. "You cleaned it out yourself? You actually did some manual labour?"

Harry shook his head. "No, sweetheart. I used magic."

"Of course you did," Hermione pulled him down on top of her for another kiss. "I wish we could go back in time so we could spend another afternoon here." she said a bit wistfully.

"How far did you want to go back exactly?" he asked, rubbing her cheek with his thumb.

"This morning," she laughed. "I'd help you move things around so that we could be in here quicker."

"Well," he said smiling down at her. "We still have loads of time here. We'll come back. I promise."

"Okay," Hermione kissed him again before they both reluctantly got dressed.

"I wonder if I could finally talk Ethan into spending time with me," Harry asked, buttoning his shirt. "Usually, he's my shadow. Lately, he doesn't want to spend any time with me."

"I think he's just excited to be on holiday," Hermione replied, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. "I don't think he remembers going on one since he was so young when I became Minister."

Harry nodded. He and Hermione had Julie soon after they'd married and had tried and tried to conceive again and had almost given up hope when Hermione found out she was pregnant with Ethan.

"He's something else, isn't he?" Harry asked, thinking of his son.

Hermione laughed. "He really is," she said. "Both of them are."

"They are," Harry said smiling back at her. "And they're hiding something from us. You do realise that, don't you?"

"They're our children Harry," Hermione replied. "Of course they're hiding things from us."

"You know what it is, don't you?" Harry asked her, as they walked out of the cabin.

"How should I know?" Hermione shrugged. "I'm the parent."

"Yes, but you're the smart parent," Harry pointed out.

Hermione laughed out loud. "If you say so dear," she took his hand and squeezed it. "Maybe they just want to spend time together. We've all been so busy lately and Julie's still trying to find a job in London... maybe Ethan feels like he wants to do things with her while we're here."

Harry had a feeling that Hermione knew exactly what was going on, but he figured if it was serious she'd have told him. He, too, was glad that they'd all been able to go on holiday together as a family. It saddened him to think that his daughter would soon be leaving home and making a life for herself separate from them. But, he was also very proud of her and knew that no matter where she went or what she did, she'd always know she had a place with them.

"Hermione?" Harry asked, as they passed by the lake. "Ethan's been acting really strange whenever I mention the lake, hasn't he? I mean, when we first came down here I mentioned the lake and he acted like he couldn't care less. Then, the other day when I mentioned going fishing...well, you saw how he reacted to that."

Hermione nodded pensively. "I have thought before that he was afraid of the water," she mused. "Remember when we went into the countryside the year before I took office? You, me and Julie were in the water almost the entire time and Ethan either stayed up on shore or would only come in with you or me holding him."

Harry nodded. "I remember that. He hung on so tightly to me, I nearly had trouble breathing."

"Well I think you've figured it out," She nudged her husband's shoulder. "And they say I'm the smart one," she teased.

Harry laughed. "Usually you are. I don't understand why he didn't think he could tell us..."

"Maybe he's afraid to, not in the sense that we'd punish him or anything, but that because of who we are, he doesn't want to seem like a coward." Hermione suggested.

"He knows we'd never think that way on him, doesn't he?" Harry asked, frowning. "I always wanted him and Julie to tell me when they were scared or worried..."

"He's so young though Harry," Hermione replied. "And you know how badly he wants to be a 'Gryffindor' like you and Julie."

Harry was about to respond to this when he saw his son and daughter walking toward them. They were both carrying ice cream cones. "Dad!" Ethan said excitedly, running toward them. His ice cream cone fell out of his hands, but he didn't seem to notice or care.

"Hey!" Harry hugged him as Ethan jumped up at him. "Where've you been all afternoon little man?"

"Hanging out with Julie and Josh," Ethan said, smiling broadly at his father. "Then we went to get ice cream!"

"And you dropped yours," Harry laughed.

"You can have the rest of mine," Julie handed her cone to her brother.

"Thanks, Julie," Ethan said happily. "Dad, you have to see this shop in town. They have the coolest toys! Can we go after dinner, please?"

"Sure," Harry said. "That sounds like fun."

"Julie, did you want to come along?" Hermione asked, as the family made their way back to the cabin. "You can keep me company while the two of them try everything out."

Julie shook her head. "I'd love to Mum, but I promised Chiaki I'd go with her to the club."

"All right," Hermione said. "Guess I'll have to be the mean parent who says no all the time." she teased.

"You don't say no all the time," Julie said with a laugh. "Just the majority of the time."

Harry grinned. "I like that arrangement," he laughed.

"Somehow I thought you would," Hermione said swatting him on the arm.

*** *** ***

Luna and Ron were enjoying a small amount of peace and quiet. They weren't due at dinner for at least an hour. Drew and Darla were playing cards. Julie had taught them how to play the Muggle card game of "Go Fish" and they'd been playing it most of the afternoon. Jon was taking a shower and Josh was reading in his bedroom. Luna laughed as she held up the picture Maddie had drawn for them. Molly had sent it in owl post earlier that day. "What do you suppose it is?" Luna asked, holding up Maddie's artwork. "Is it a dog? Oh, wait a minute...I think it's got horns..."

"I'm not sure but I love it," Ron chuckled.

"She's more of an abstract artist," Luna said proudly. "Merlin, I can't wait until they get here. I miss them so much!"

"Same here," Ron kissed the side of her head.

"HAS ANYONE SEEN MY SHIRT?" Jon called out from the bathroom. "JOSH!"

"So much for peace and quiet," Luna said, shaking her head.

"Why would I have your stupid shirt?" Josh replied.

"Mum, Josh has my shirt!" Jon said, sticking his head out behind the bathroom door.

"I don't have your shirt," Josh repeated.

"Maybe if you cleaned your room, you'd be able to find it," Luna called out to him.

Josh came out, novel in hand. "Yeah, our room's a disgusting mess," he said, glaring at his twin.

"It's not that bad," Jon said defensively.

"You mean the carpet of clothes on the floor isn't that bad?" Josh snapped back.

"If you don't like it, you could clean up," Jon shot back. "But then again, you are off having romantic romps in the lake with a certain someone."

Josh turned red as he always did when Julie was mentioned. "I'm helping her out with something," he said through clenched teeth.

"Helping her out, my arse," Jon said, laughing.

"OKAY!" Luna said, getting up. "Jon, clean up your room. It's a filthy, disgusting mess. Josh, how about you sit in here with your father so we don't go through another horrible row like the two of you have had since the moment we got here. Have I made myself perfectly clear?"

"Yes," Josh muttered, as did Jon. They knew when their mother got angry she meant business, as most time she was quite easygoing.

Luna sat back down on the sofa beside her husband. "You know I almost wish the two of them got along as well as Fred and George. Then again, maybe that's not such a great thing."

Josh glared at the doorway where his brother had just disappeared. "Why won't he leave me alone about Julie?" he asked.

"Because he knows it pushes your buttons," Luna replied.

"Well how do I get him to stop?" Josh asked exasperatedly.

"Ignore him," Ron suggested.

"I've tried that!" Josh replied.

"I know why Jon wants to find that shirt," Darla said, giggling.

Everyone turned to her. "Why's that sweetheart?" Ron asked.

Darla giggled. "Allison Longbottom once told him that it looked nice on him."

Ron and Luna laughed. "So he fancies Allie eh?" Ron asked.

Darla nodded. "He wants to take her for a walk after dinner....he was talking to some boy about it earlier today."

"Who?" Josh demanded.

Darla shrugged her shoulders. "Just some boy at the lake. They were talking about how pretty she was."

Josh's face was red. "I don't think he's right for her," he said angrily.

"I don't know," Luna said thoughtfully. "Allie's a sweet girl and your brother needs someone like that in his life. I imagine she'd be a good influence on him."

Jon came out of the room and grinned at his mother. "I found my shirt and the room is clean!" he said proudly.

"Did you throw everything in the closet?" Luna asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

Jon shook his head. "In my suitcase," he replied.

Luna rolled her eyes. "I guess that'll do for now."

"For now," Ron warned his son. "I expect you to have it all cleaned up by tomorrow afternoon."

Jon nodded. "Hey, do you think we could sit with the Longbottoms tonight?"

Ron bit his lower lip. "I'm sure we could arrange that," he said, shooting a look at his giggling daughters. "Why do you want to sit with them?"

"We don't get to see them as much since we're in Ireland now, do we?" Jon asked.

"I suppose not," Luna agreed.

"Good," Jon said, beaming at her. He looked at Josh who was scowling at him. "What's eating you?"

"Nothing," Josh tossed his book on the table. "I'm getting dressed for dinner."

When Josh was out of earshot, Luna looked sternly at Jon. "Why do you insist on berating him about Julie?" she asked.

"Because it's funny," Jon said nonchalantly.

"Nearly as funny as you fancying Allie?" Ron asked.

Jon turned scarlet. "How did you all find out about that?" he asked.

Drew and Darla giggled from their perch in the corner.

"Never mind how we knew," Luna said. "How would you like it if he made fun of you because you liked Allie?"

"I guess I'd be mad," Jon scuffed his shoe along the floor.

"Remember that next time you decide to tease him about Julie then," Ron scolded him.

"Fine," Jon replied. "Can I go?"

"Yes," Luna said. "And you look very handsome, Jon. "

"Thanks," Jon practically ran out the door, Drew and Darla's giggles following him the whole way out.

"Okay, I suppose we should get ready for dinner, too," Luna said, standing up.

"Yeah," Ron groaned as he got up. "Come on you two," he said to his daughters.

"I'm hungry, Daddy," Drew said.

"So am I sweetheart," Ron agreed.

"You just ate an hour ago," Luna said in disbelief.

"I didn't eat much," Ron said. "Just a little something to tide me over. I had a bag of crisps....some biscuits...oh and half of a sandwich."

"Don't forget about that ice cream sundae Daddy!" Drew piped up.

"Oh that, too," Ron said, a little sheepishly.

"And the bag of sweets from that store," Darla added.

"Yes, yes," Ron said, ushering the girls quickly toward their room. He looked at Luna. "Kids...you know how they can exaggerate."

"Uh huh," Luna grinned, unconvinced.

"Don't worry," Ron said, smiling at her. "I didn't spoil my dinner."

"You never do Ronald," Luna replied.

7. Uninvited

Author's note: Thanks to everyone for reading. We realize that keeping all these new characters straight is a little confusing---trust us we know. We had to set up a cheat seat for ourselves. If you read some of the review responses we did for Chapter 6 you can get your own little "cheat sheet". Keep reading and we're sorry for the Nick-less chapter last time. But he's back in this one. Hope you enjoy!

Uninvited – Alanis Morissette

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before
But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate.

Lavender hummed to herself as she walked down by the lake. The moon was exceptionally bright that evening and she decided to take her sketchpad down outside and catch some fresh air while she worked.

Dropping into one of the lounge chairs, she propped her legs up and sketched furiously for several minutes. The sound of approaching laughter made her sit up and hold her book close so no one could see it.

Summer smiled mischievously at Seamus as they finally made it to the lake. It had been his idea for a moonlight swim and she'd jumped at the chance.

"Are you sure you don't want to skinny dip?" she asked, flirtatiously.

"If it was later I'd say yes," he grinned. "But it's kind of early; there still might be kids about."

"Spoil sport," Summer said, throwing her t-shirt on the grass.

"You won't be saying that later," Seamus eyed her lithe body in the tiny bikini.

Lavender's mouth fell open and she wished she could somehow make herself disappear. She was just grateful that neither Seamus nor Summer could see her.

Seamus dove in first, laughing as Summer toed the water line. "Come on," he called. "It's not cold!"

Summer walked further in and promptly squealed.

"SHAMY!" she said, splashing him. "It is too cold!"

"I'll warm you up then," Seamus pulled her close.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Shamy," she said to herself. "What a ridiculous nickname."

Summer giggled as Seamus kissed her neck. Knowing she wouldn't be able to watch anymore of this, Lavender quietly stood up and started to walk away.

"Shamy?" Summer whispered. "Someone was watching us. Look, right there!"

Seamus turned around. "Who's there?" he called out.

Lavender froze. She thought briefly about making a run for it, but if she did, the lights from the boathouse would give her away. Slowly, she turned around.

"Lavender?" Seamus asked. "What are you doing down here?"

With a shaking hand, she held up her sketchbook. "I was working on some designs. Um, Harry and Hermione took Ethan into town and I thought I might be inspired down here by the lake."

"Oh," Seamus pulled Summer down in the water as if they HAD been caught skinny dipping. "Well... sorry we startled you."

"No, it's okay," Lavender said uncomfortably. "I'll let you get back to your...whatever it was you were doing."

Seamus opened his mouth to tell her she didn't have to leave but shut it as she turned and walked away. He couldn't help but let his eyes rest on her curvy figure and moonlit blonde hair and Summer cleared her throat. "Sorry about that," he said sheepishly.

Summer nodded. "It's okay...did you and that girl used to date or something?"

Seamus frowned. "Something like that," he muttered.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Summer asked. "I thought something like that was going on."

"It's nothing important," Seamus nearly choked on his words.

"She still likes you," Summer commented.

"What?" Seamus whipped his head around. "No she doesn't. She broke up with me."

Summer shrugged. "A girl can tell when another girl likes her man. And I think she's still quite smitten with you."

Seamus didn't know what to say.

Summer inched closer to him and nibbled on his ear. "Can't say as I blame her, though."

Seamus forced thoughts of Lavender out of his head. Summer was his girlfriend now, and possibly his future. "Am I that irresistible?" he joked.

Summer nodded. "So have you changed your mind about that skinny dip, yet?"

Seamus laughed. "Maybe we can come back out around midnight," he said.

Summer pouted. "Shamy..." she leaned in and gave him a slow kiss.

"It is getting late," Seamus said, grinning at her. "And if we’re quiet, I think we may just get away with it."

"Is this how I get my way with you," Summer wrapped her legs around his waist. "Pout?"

"That and what you were just doing to my ear can be quite convincing," he said huskily.

Lavender practically ran back to the cabin, her sketchbook tightly clutched in her hand. She hated Seamus! How could he go around with that little teenage tart on his arm when she was walking around the resort as well?

Hermione looked up in surprise as her cousin stormed back into the cabin. "Shhhh," she said, putting her finger to her mouth. "Harry's trying to get Ethan to sleep, Lav."

Lavender huffed and threw her sketchbook down. "I hate Seamus Finnigan!" she shouted in a whisper. "Why did he have to come Hermione?"

"Slow down, Lav," Hermione said, motioning for Lavender to sit down beside her. "What happened?"

"Do you know what's he's doing right now?" Lavender asked furiously. "He's down in the lake, skinny-dipping with that... that... that child!"

"How do you know that?" Hermione asked. "Lavender, please tell me you haven't been following them around!"

"Hermione Jane!" Lavender turned angry eyes on her cousin. "I have better things to do with my time! I was down there FIRST!"

"Okay, okay," Hermione said, smiling sympathetically at her cousin. "Lavender, they are dating, after all. I mean, what did you expect that the two of them do in their spare time? Play cards?"

Lavender pouted. "I don't want to think about that," she snapped. "But does he have to go and flaunt her in front of me all the time?"

"He didn't know you were down there, did he?" Hermione asked. "Come on, Lavender. He's not doing any of this on purpose and you know it. Now, I know you don't want to hear this, but why do you care about whether or not he's skinny-dipping in the lake with this girl? If he truly meant nothing to you, you wouldn't care at all."

Lavender stared open-mouthed at her cousin.

"I think you should talk to him," Hermione said.

"I don't want to talk to him," Lavender replied. "I don't have anything to say to him."

"I think you do," Hermione countered. "If anything, it will give you some closure."

"I hate it when you're right," Lavender stared at the floor

"I know you do," Hermione said, giving her cousin a hug. "I'm on your side, Lavender. I just want you to be happy."

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender hugged her back.

Harry came out of Ethan's room and smiled at the two women. "The little man is finally down for the count."

"How many of his new toys did he take to bed with him?" Hermione asked.

"Seven," Harry replied. "And he had me read two stories to him in that book you bought him. But, as he reminded me, I don't do the voices as well as you do."

Hermione laughed. "He is completely spoiled rotten," she said.

Lavender nodded. "But he's a sweet kid."

"Aye, he is," Harry sat next to his wife. "What are you two talking about?"

"Old times," Lavender said, frowning. "And young tarts who try and skinny dip with men right out in the open as if no one could walk by at any moment."

Harry looked at her in confusion. "Are you jealous over Seamus and his girlfriend?"

Lavender turned and glared at him. From behind her back, Hermione nodded at Harry.

"Why don't you just talk to him?" Harry said.

"That's what Hermione said," Lavender said with a sigh.

"Great minds think alike," Hermione rested her hand on his thigh.

"Okay, okay," Lavender said. "I'll talk to him. If I can pry him away from that...girl."

"Maybe you two will be friends by the end of holiday," Harry said.

"Don't count on it," Lavender got up. "I'm going to bed early."

"Good night, Lavender," Harry and Hermione chorused.

"Good night rabbits," Lavender rolled her eyes.

*** *** ***

Chiaki was in a very, very good mood. Her fiancé had surprised her after dinner by showing up at the resort (with the help of Julie) and after deafening half the people around them with her excited screaming, she, Toshio and Julie were currently sitting near the bar in the employee club.

Nick knew they'd be in the club, as he'd seen them heading up that way a little while ago. He hadn't seen Julie all day but he'd been looking forward to meeting up with her that night, hoping that they could pick up where they'd left off.

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me he was coming!" Chiaki said, raising her voice so Julie could hear over the music.

"What kind of surprise would it have been if you'd known about it beforehand?" Julie asked laughing. "Besides, he swore me to secrecy."

"Ladies," Nick had found them. "How are you both this evening?"

"We're fine," Chiaki giggled as Julie's face turned pink. "Nick! I want you to meet my fiancé! Toshio, love," she pulled on his arm.

"Yes?" Toshio said, smiling adoringly at his fiancée.

"I want you to meet my brother!" she said, nearly falling off the stool. "Oops," she giggled.

"Looks to me like you've had a few too many," Nick began to laugh.

"I'm okay!" Chiaki bubbled. "This is Nick, and this is Toshio..."

"Nice to meet you," Toshio said, shaking Nick's hand. "Forgive her; she had a few drinks to celebrate my arrival."

"Congratulations," Nick replied. "Have you two set a date yet?"

"Tomorrow," Chiaki said dramatically, making them all laugh.

"Next year," Toshio said, putting an arm around Chiaki to steady her.

"That's great," Nick nodded. He looked at Julie. "How are you tonight?" he asked.

"I'm okay," she said smiling at him. Chiaki leaned forward and bumped into Julie causing her to stumble forward and Nick caught her.

"Sorry, Jules!" Chiaki said, giggling.

Nick didn't want to help her back up- he liked the way holding her felt. "Good going Chiaki." he teased.

"I think I may just take her outside for some fresh air," Toshio said, helping Chiaki to her feet. "We'll catch up with you later."

Julie wanted to protest and tell them not to leave her alone with Nick, but Toshio was already manoeuvring through the crowd with a giggling Chiaki in tow.

Nick watched them go. "Wow how many did she have?" he asked, taking the seat Chiaki had been occupying.

"She was working on her seventh when you showed up," Julie answered with a nervous laugh.

"Shite," Nick said. "Can I buy you a drink?" he asked.

She shook her head. "You don't have to."

"I'd like to," Nick replied.

"Okay," she said. "I'll have another soda then."

"Sure you don't want something with a kick to it?" Nick asked for a pint of bitter.

"Trying to get me pissed, Mr. Malfoy?" she asked.

"Maybe," he grinned devilishly at her.

"Soda is fine," she said, grinning back at him.

"All right," Nick asked for a soda for her. "So..." he realised he didn't know what to say.

"So, what did you do today?" Julie asked conversationally.

"Just hung around, avoided my mother as much as possible," Nick shrugged.

"I saw her sunbathing down by the lake," Julie admitted.

"Yeah and that's why I wasn't at the lake," Nick smiled at her and moved closer as the crowd around them swelled.

"I've been at the lake quite a bit," she said. "With my brother."

"Oh really?" he asked. "Ethan likes to swim does he?"

Julie shook her head. "No, not really. He's bloody terrified of water."

"Why?" Nick asked, moving even closer as he was jostled.

Julie shrugged. "I'm not really sure. It's sort of crazy, because he loves to fly. The higher, the better. But, he's terrified of the water. I think he's afraid some creature or something is going to bite him. Anyway, he didn't want my dad to know he was scared, so I agreed to help teach him how to swim."

"Well if you ever need some help let me know," Nick finally gave up his seat. "I'd be glad to help you teach him."

"Yes, but then you'd have to go to the lake where your mother is," Julie teased. "I thought you wanted to avoid her at all costs?"

"Well what time do you go?" Nick asked. "She normally doesn't head there until early afternoon."

"Usually in the mornings," Julie said. "But really you don't have to. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than help me out."

"I don't have anything else to do," Nick answered.

"That'd be great," Julie said, surprising herself because she actually meant that. "Thank you."

"Really?" Nick grinned at her. "You really want me to help?"

"Sure," Julie said, smiling back at him. "I'd like that."

"What time in the morning should I be there?" Nick asked.

"Um, we usually get started around ten," Julie said, wondering if he would actually show up. "I know that's a bit early for you since you're a musician and all."

"I'm sure I can make it," Nick replied. "So um... do you perhaps want to dance or something?"

Julie shook her head. "No, that's okay. I'm fine here."

"Come on," Nick said. "It looks like fun."

"No," Julie said, turning pink. "I'm okay. Besides, it's really crowded out there."

"But that's part of the fun," Nick didn't want to give up. "Come on, one dance."

"No, thanks," Julie said firmly. "But if you'd like to, go right ahead."

"I can't dance by myself," Nick reached for her hand. "Besides, if you're Chiaki's best friend I'm sure she's shown you a move or two."

"No, really, Nick," Julie said, shaking her head. "I'm really okay." She didn't want to tell him that the real reason she didn't want to dance was because she was afraid of what might happen if they were dancing close. Besides, she fully believed that Nick Malfoy wasn't looking for a commitment with anyone. She wasn't going to set herself up to fall for someone who wouldn't be around for the long run.

"All right," Nick decided to try another tactic. "I guess I was wrong and you don't know how to dance after all."

Julie glared at him. "I CAN DANCE! I could probably dance circles around you!"

Nick shrugged. "I don't know," he had to bite his lower lip to keep from grinning.

Julie grabbed his hand and led him onto the dance floor, grumbling the entire way. "Can't dance! The nerve! I can too dance..."

Nick laughed. "Let's show off how good we are," he pulled her close.

Julie felt her breath catch in her throat. "W-what?" she asked weakly.

"Don't be shy Julie," Nick tipped her chin up with his fingers.

"I'm not being shy," she whispered, nearly losing herself in his grey eyes.

"Good," Nick said, winding her arms around his neck.

"We're not dancing," Julie pointed out.

"You have to move first," Nick grinned at her.

"Oh, yeah, right," Julie said, blushing. She started to dance and was grateful that it was a song that she knew and liked. She'd even danced to it in a club back home. "You're not that bad," she said, smiling shyly at him.

"Neither are you," Nick said. "I've had some practise- the agent for our band insists we have to know how to dance."

"I'm sure you get loads of practise at the clubs in Sydney," Julie said.

"Sometimes," Nick said. "I'm not really much of a clubber. It's no fun unless you have someone you want to go with." he noticed suddenly that people were gathered around watching them so he decided to put on a little show. He dipped Julie back dramatically before swinging them both around.

Julie didn't know what he was doing, but she was aware that all eyes in the club seemed to be on them. She felt a little uncomfortable in the spotlight, but she was having fun with Nick, so she decided to go with it.

He noticed her loosen up and took advantage of it. Pulling her close, he ground his body against hers.

Chiaki, who had just come back in with Toshio, watched with her jaw dropped. "I can't believe that's Julie!" she gasped.

The music came to an end and the crowd applauded heartily for them. Julie cheeks were beet red and she turned around to thank Nick for the dance. She didn't have the opportunity to do so as Nick pulled her close and promptly kissed her. This only delighted the crowd even more and they hooted and hollered.

Nick wasn't sure what had overcome him when he kissed her but it felt amazing to have her lips on his. Her arms came up and her hands rested on his shoulders as he kept his mouth pressed to hers.

He pulled away from her a few moments later and Julie stared at him in disbelief. She gave a slight smile as the music started back up again and she took Nick's hand to lead him out of the club. She heard Chiaki call out to her, but she ignored her friend.

When she and Nick were outside, she slapped him square on the cheek as hard as she could.

"Ouch!" he said. "What was that for?" he asked, confused.

"YOU KISSED ME!" she exclaimed.

"I know that!" Nick pressed his palm to his cheek. "I didn't realise that would warrant you slapping me!"

"Why did you do that?" she asked. "No, don't answer. You were putting on a little show for their benefit, right? You like to have a crowd cheering you on, Nick? Well, go back inside because no one out here is going to cheer you on. I never want to see you again!"

"Julie!" Nick said. "I kissed you because I wanted to!"

"And what you want, you always get, right?" Julie asked coldly. "You're as bad as I thought you were!" She felt tears welling up in her eyes so she turned around and ran as fast as she could back to her cabin.

Nick knew she was angry but he didn't understand why. "Julie," he followed her. "I'm not letting you go like this!"

"Leave me alone!" Julie called back to him.

"No!" he caught her arm as she was about to go up the stairs. "Why are you so afraid?" Nick asked. "You act as if you've never been kissed before!"

"I'm not afraid!" she said, turning around to face him. "And for your information, Nick Malfoy, I have been kissed before. And I know this may come as a shock, but not every girl wants to be kissed by you! Please, just leave me alone!"

He tried to grab her arm again but she was already inside. Cursing at himself, he kicked the dirt on the path as he stomped back to his own cabin. He'd be at the lake when she arrived the next morning, whether she wanted him there or not.

*** *** ***

Neville and Cho were sitting on the sofa in their cabin, cuddling close and watching a movie. Allison and Frankie had gone to sleep long ago and Cho was well on her way to joining them. The movie wasn't very good, but she was determined to stay awake long enough to finish it.

"This is really horrible," she whispered to Neville.

"I know," Neville replied quietly. "Wish Seamus was here so he could tell us why it's so bad."

"For one thing, the acting is atrocious," Cho pointed out. "And for another, the plot is stupid."

Neville yawned. "I think this is a lost cause," he said.

Cho nodded and turned off the television. "There! We're officially out of our misery."

"Thank Merlin," Neville replied. "I can think of another thing I'd like to do before we go to bed."

"Oh really?" she asked, leaning against him. "What did you have in mind?"

Neville pulled her over so she was on his lap. "Something like this," he brought her mouth down to his.

"I like the way your mind works," she said, giggling.

"Me too," Neville laughed.

"I still can't believe it was Julie!" Chiaki was saying as she opened the cabin door.

Neville and Cho jumped apart so fast they may very well have been electrically shocked. "Hi sweetheart," Cho pushed her hair out of her eyes.

"Mum!" Chiaki said, stifling a laugh. "Are we interrupting anything?"

"No," Cho turned pink. "Hello Toshio," she greeted her daughter's fiancé.

"Mrs. Longbottom, Mr. Longbottom," Toshio said warmly. He, too, was trying not to laugh. "I hope you don't mind. I came up to surprise Chiaki."

"How sweet of you," Cho finally got up and hugged both of them. "Your father and I were just watching a rather awful movie. We were fixing to go to bed."

"I'll say," Chiaki couldn't help saying.

Neville was red-faced as well as he shook Toshio's hand. "What were you saying about Julie?" he asked trying to change the subject.

"Dad! You won't believe it! Julie and Nick kissed! And danced!" Chiaki gushed.

"Sweetheart?" Neville asked. "Have you been drinking?"

"A little," Chiaki said.

"She'll be all right," Toshio replied.

"Julie and Nick kissed, eh?" Neville asked. "I wonder how Ginny would feel if she knew about that."

Cho snorted. "She'd probably arrange to have him hung," she muttered.

"Aren't you worried about how Julie's parents would react as well?" Toshio asked. "Didn't you tell me that the Malfoys and the Potters have never gotten along?"

"Well..." Cho said. "Nick's actually left quite a favourable impression on all of us despite who his parents are."

"He seemed okay to me when I met him," Toshio agreed. "Besides, anything would be an improvement over Ryan."

"That goes without saying," Neville said darkly. "Well anyways- your sisters are already asleep so keep the noise down."

"You too," Chiaki teased, laughing.

"Watch it," Cho kissed her daughter goodnight. "We'll see you two in the morning- are you staying Toshio?"

"I can't," Toshio said. "I was only able to get away for the evening, I'm afraid."

"Awww..." Chiaki pouted. "Are you sure I can't convince you to stay?"

"You probably could," Toshio said, smiling at her. "But I really do have to get back."

"You can stay for a little while longer right?" Chiaki asked as her parents bid them both goodnight and went into their bedroom.

"A few more minutes," he said, pulling her close. "I have to work tomorrow. You know that."

"I know," Chiaki kissed him. "But I just miss you."

"You won't be here too much longer," he said, kissing her. "You'll be home before you know it."

"Maybe you can come again," Chiaki said.

"I will," he promised.

"I already can't wait," she hugged him tightly.

"Now, how about we make the most of our time?" he asked, grinning at her.

"Sounds good to me," she laughed as he brought her over to the sofa.

"I have missed you," he said softly.

"When I get back we'll have to dive into those wedding plans," she said. "I can't wait to get married."

"Are you okay with waiting a year?" he asked.

"Of course," Chiaki said, touching his cheek. "Gives me time to plan an insanely large, beautiful wedding."

"Insanely large?" he asked.

"Yes," Chiaki laughed. "Very insanely large."

"Are we talking twenty bridesmaids and groomsmen?" he asked. "And thousands of guests?"

Chiaki laughed. "Don't tell me you have stage fright Toshio Hanari. Not after the way you can get up and dance onstage."

"Not stage fright," Toshio said. "I was thinking of your parents having to pay for all that, that's all."

"They want to do it," Chiaki snuggled against him. "Mum wants me to have a big wedding since she and Dad had such a small one."

“I see,” Toshio kissed her again. “I think I’d better get going. My portkey activates in a few minutes.”

“What if I make you miss it?” Chiaki asked mischievously.

“Then I’ll get in trouble with our company manager for not being back tomorrow morning,” Toshio teased. “And then I might not be able to come back again.”

“All right,” she got up off him. “I’ll miss you again.”

“I’ll miss you too,” he touched her cheek. “I love you.”

“Love you too,” Chiaki gave him another kiss.

*** *** ***

Julie yawned as she led Ethan down to the lake. She had slept horribly the previous night and she blamed it fully on Nick and his lousy attitude. Why did he have to go and just kiss her like that? Just when they were making headway... she sighed. "Let's make this a short one today little man," she said. "I didn't sleep well."

"Okay," Ethan said, smiling. He didn't mind cutting the lessons short at all. "Do you think I'm getting any better, Jules?"

"I do," Julie nodded. "Dad's not going to know what hit him when you two get in the water."

"Do you think Dad's afraid of anything?" Ethan asked thoughtfully.

"Probably," Julie replied.

"Mum said he was afraid of Great-Grandpa Brown," Ethan said.

Julie laughed. "I think everyone was afraid of him." she remembered her cantankerous old grandfather with a smile.

Julie and Ethan turned the corner and Ethan felt an uneasy feeling in his stomach as he did every time he saw the lake. Thankfully, there weren't too many people out and about this early.

"Oh no," Julie moaned. Nick was sitting on one of the lounge chairs, towel next to him.

"What is it?" Ethan asked, looking up at his sister.

"Nothing," Julie had half a mind to cancel the lesson but Nick looked up and saw them at that moment.

"Good morning," Nick said brightly, leaning down and rustling Ethan's hair. "How are we doing this morning little man?"

"I'm good!" Ethan said. "Are you going to help me swim?"

"No he's not," Julie answered for him. "You aren't welcome here Nicholas." her voice was cold.

"You asked me to help out," Nick pointed out to her. "I thought you were going to stand me up which is why I made it a point to get here a little early."

Julie closed her eyes briefly. "I can handle this on my own," she replied tightly.

He knew that what he was about to do was a low move, but he was desperate. He knelt down and grinned at Ethan.

"Ethan wants me to help him, don't you little man?" Nick asked, beaming at the little boy.

"Yes!" Ethan said excitedly.

"See," Nick said, staring up at Julie. "That's two against one. We win."

Julie was so angry that her eyes darkened dangerously. "You are a sneaky underhanded bastard," she whispered furiously as Ethan went to dip his toes in the water. "And don't you dare think this is going to help win me over. You ruined any chance you had with me last night!"

"So you admit that I had a chance then?" he asked cheekily.

"Ugh!" Julie threw her hands up in exasperation.

"Don't worry about Julie," Ethan said to Nick. "She didn't sleep well last night. She's always angry when she doesn't get enough sleep."

Nick grinned at the both of them. "So what have you been practising so far?" he asked.

"Treading water," Ethan answered when Julie wouldn't. "And floating on my back."

"I'll bet we can get you underwater," Nick said.

"It'd be nice if you didn't push him," Julie snapped.

"I wasn't pushing him," Nick said. "But most of swimming is done underwater, isn't it?"

"It doesn't have to be," Julie said through clenched teeth.

"Okay," Nick said calmly. "You're the teacher, after all. Whatever you want to do is fine by me."

"Thank you," Julie replied. "And I'd like you to stay out of our way."

Normally, if a girl treated him like this, Nick would just call it a day and cut his losses. For some reason, with this girl, he wasn't willing to give up so easily. "Fine," Nick said. "How about I just sit and watch then?"

"And don't say a bloody word. And if you'd like to leave, I won't stop you." Julie turned away and began to pull off her shorts.

"You look really nice in a bathing suit," Nick said admiringly. She was wearing that deep blue bikini he'd seen her in before. "Very, very nice."

"Don't check me out!" Julie nearly shouted.

"Perhaps you should have stopped by the restaurant to get a caffeine fix before you came down here," Nick suggested with a sly smile.

Julie stared at him coldly, wishing she still wasn't so bloody attracted to him. "Will you please go away?" she asked.

"No," Nick said grinning at her. "Because that's not what you want and we both know it."

Julie huffed and turned around. "Come on Ethan."

Ethan nodded and followed his sister into the water.

"You sound as scary as Mum when you're angry," Ethan commented.

"Well he makes me angry," Julie replied, stealing a glance at Nick. He'd removed his shirt and was sitting back on the lounge. "Smarmy git."

"If you want, I could kick him for you," Ethan said helpfully. He liked Nick, but if his sister didn't, he figured there was a good reason for it.

Julie finally smiled. "Thanks Ethan, but I think I can handle it."

"Okay," Ethan said, nodding.

Nick watched through lidded eyes as Julie instructed her brother patiently in the water. He still couldn't figure out why she'd reacted the way she had last night when he kissed her.

Nearly a half-hour later, Julie and Ethan emerged from the water. Julie bent down for her towel, but was upset to see that it wasn't where she'd left it.

"Looking for this?" Nick said, handing her the towel.

Julie snatched it away, wrapping it around herself without a word.

"How do you think I did, Nick?" Ethan asked. "Did you watch?"

"I did watch," Nick said smiling at him. "And you did great little man. You've got a great teacher."

"Yup I do!" Ethan nodded excitedly.

"So what do the two of you have planned for the rest of the day?" Nick asked.

"We're busy," Julie said.

"No, we're not," Ethan said. "Julie has to watch me because Mummy and Daddy were going to some other resort...what was it called again?"

Julie turned red. "Ethan we have to go." she said.

"Julie," Nick said, as she began putting her shorts and t-shirt back on over her suit. "Look, I just want to talk to you. Please? Five minutes is all I ask."

"Ethan can't walk back by himself," Julie said.

Nick pulled some money from his pocket and handed it to Ethan. "Hey, Ethan?" Nick asked. "Why don't you go and get yourself a soda and a snack for doing so well today?"

Julie stared open-mouthed as her brother eagerly grabbed the money and took off. "I can't believe you just did that!" she said.

"He did a great job today," Nick said. "And it gives you and me a chance to talk. I would have given it to him anyway, Julie. Believe it or not, I like your brother. He's a sweet kid."

"Yes he is," Julie said. "Too bad I can't say the same about you."

Nick groaned in frustration. "Julie Potter, what on earth did I do to you that was so wrong?"

"You kissed me!" Julie hissed. "Without even bothering to ask me! You just thought because I danced with you that meant you could take me and just snog me in front of a crowd to prove something to yourself."

"If I'd have asked you beforehand, it would have ruined the spontaneity of the whole thing," Nick said. "If I overstepped my bounds, I'm sorry. I really am, Julie."

"It's too late," Julie sat down on the chair. "You can't take it back just by being all... charming now."

He smiled and sat down beside her. "We started over before once. Maybe we could do it again?"

Julie shook her head. "We can't this time. I can't trust you."

"You don't even know me, Julie," Nick argued. "And you think you can't trust me because I made a mistake by kissing you in front of a crowd of people? I don't understand."

"You wouldn't understand," Julie replied, trying to ignore the fact that he was inching closer to her on the lounge. "And I'm not going to explain myself to you."

"Someone hurt you, didn't they?" he asked gently. "That's why you're so scared, isn't it?"

"It's none of your business!" Julie snapped.

"I don't know what I have to do to you to prove that I'm not like my parents and I'm not like this bloke who broke your heart," he said. "You want honesty, Julie? How's this? I like you. I like you more than anyone I've met in a long time. I think we'd be good for each other."

Julie couldn't breathe as he put his hand on her shoulder. She stared straight ahead and willed her tears to stay away.

"What did he do, Julie?" Nick asked again.

"Nick... stop it please..." she said quietly. "I don't want to talk about my past relationships with you."

"Okay," he said, dropping his hand from her shoulder. "But, if you do want to talk about it, I'll listen."

Julie didn't respond as he moved even closer to her. Their faces were so close and Nick tried not to smile as he saw her close her eyes and lean towards him.

"Julie," Ethan said, coming back over to join them. "I had enough money to buy you a candy bar, too."

Julie jumped back from Nick. "Thanks little man," she forced a smile onto her face.

"Thanks, Nick," Ethan said happily.

"You're welcome, Ethan," Nick said, getting to his feet.

Julie grabbed her bag. "We have to go," she didn't look at Nick.

"Bye, Nick!" Ethan called to him, over his shoulder.

Nick watched them go. He still had quite a ways to go with her, but he knew he was making progress.

8. The Way You Look Tonight

A/N: Well you all were asking for some Lavender/Seamus so here you go! This is also a big chapter for you Nick/Julie fans as well. For you Ginny haters ;) this is also a good chapter for that. Thanks for your continued support with this story and we hope you enjoy this chapter as well! As always, please let us know what you think!!

The Way You Look Tonight – Elton John

There was a time
I was everything and nothing all in one
When you found me
I was feeling like a cloud across the sun

I need to tell you
How you light up every second of the day
But in the moonlight
You just shine like a beacon on the bay

And I can’t explain
But it’s something about the way you look tonight
Takes my breath away
It’s that feeling I get about you, deep inside
And I can’t describe
But it’s something about the way you look tonight
Takes my breath away
The way you look tonight

Deciding to talk to Seamus and actually doing it were two entirely different things as Lavender had quickly found out. She'd been on her way to his cabin to do just that when the terrible thought that she might be interrupting another roll in the hay between him and Summer came into her head.

She'd made her way back to her own cabin and found that Harry and Hermione had left to go and see the Sheldrake. It didn't help matters when the world's most romantic couple were reliving their courtship in front of her. It seemed so long ago when she thought that kind of love might be possible for her.

She grabbed her sketchbook and sat on the front porch. Designing always made her feel better.

Seamus was taking a midmorning walk by himself. Summer was still asleep- they'd gone into a club a few towns over and stayed out till 4 am and after only a few hours of sleep Seamus had woken up.

Last night had been the first time he ever thought Summer was too young for him. Back in LA, it didn't seem or feel uncommon for an older guy (although he'd lied about his age and said he was 15 years younger than he actually was) to be seen with a young woman, especially a high ranking director with an up and coming starlet.

She had been laughing and dancing all over the club while he stayed in the corner. He still hated dancing and avoided it whenever possible. She'd tried to get him out but he was just too tired. Plus his mind was on Lavender and what seeing her again was doing to him.

Lavender looked up from her sketchbook and sighed.

"This is such crap," she said, tearing out the page and crumpling it into a ball.

Seamus was just passing by Harry and Hermione's cabin when a ball of paper hit him on the side of his head. "Hey!" he said in surprise.

Lavender stood up and opened her mouth to apologize until she saw who it was. "Oh, it's you," she finally said.

"Just me," Seamus tossed the ball of paper back at her. "Don't litter."

"I was going to pick it up," she said defensively. "Where's your girlfriend? Did she have a play date?"

"Will you lay off Summer please?" Seamus asked coolly.

Lavender sank back down into her chair. "Okay, that was a little out of line. I'm sorry."

Seamus nodded. "So what are you up to?" he asked, putting his arms on the railing.

"Designing," she answered. "Harry and Hermione are out and so are the kids. I was going to take advantage of the quiet."

"Oh," Seamus nodded. "Can I see what you've done?"

"You wouldn't want to see these," Lavender said dismissively.

"Why not?" Seamus hopped over the railing. "You used to let me look at all your sketches."

"That was a long time ago," Lavender said quietly.

He sat back. "Why does this have to be so difficult?" he asked.

"I don't know," she said softly. "We used to be able to talk to each other about anything and now..."

"Why didn't you ever tell anyone why we broke up?" Seamus asked.

She looked at him in surprise. She didn't know how he knew that, but figured one of their friends must have told him. What she didn't understand was why he even cared.

"Because it was between you and me," Lavender answered. "It wasn't anyone else's concern."

"They're our friends Lavender," Seamus replied. "Why shouldn't they know?"

"I didn't want them to hate you because of what you did to me," Lavender said softly. "They were your friends long before they were mine."

"I didn't do anything to you." he declared.

Lavender stared at him incredulously. "You've got to be kidding me!" she exclaimed.

"No actually I'm not." Seamus stared back at her. "You really hurt me you know. You didn't give me any sort of chance to explain what was going on. I realise how bad that looked, trust me. But you should have known that I'd never cheat on you."

"You realise how bad that looked?" Lavender said, shaking her head. "Well, that's big of you, Seamus. And you don't think it hurt me to walk in and find you nearly starkers with that girl? You're nothing but a lying bastard and its good I found out about it before we'd gone any further."

"It was the stupid bloody heating in my flat!" Seamus said angrily. "You don't know the first thing about Lola all right? She and I were good friends, WERE good friends."

"Past tense, eh?" Lavender retorted. "I guess you cheated on her, too. Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"Lavender will you fucking shut up for a change?" Seamus snapped.

"Why?" she spat back at him. "So you can feed me more lies? Go back and tell them to the naive ingénue in your bed!"

"I've NEVER lied to you," Seamus wanted to explode. "And for the last time, leave Summer OUT OF THIS!"

"You're as bad as Malfoy ever was," Lavender said icily. "At least with him, I knew deep down that he wasn't trustworthy. But, with you...I had no bloody idea. So, I congratulate you on fooling me for nearly five years into thinking that you actually cared about me!"

"I was in love with you!" Seamus said.

"Sure you were," Lavender said sarcastically. "Until you got bored with me and moved on."

Seamus shook his head. "Why are you so convinced to think the worst about me?" he asked. "If you ever loved me then you'd at least have listened to me."

"I DO LOVE YOU!" she shot back angrily. "I mean I did love you..."

Seamus stared at her. "What did you say?"

"I said I did love you," Lavender stammered.

"No you didn't," Seamus said.

"Yes I did," she lied. She closed her sketchbook. "Now, if you don't mind, I really need to get inside."

"Lavender," Seamus caught her hand.

"What?" she asked, avoiding his eyes.

Seamus got up. He reached under her chin and brought her face close to his. Barely able to breathe, he leaned and kissed her softly.

She pulled away from him, wondering if what had just happened was all in her head. She didn't say a word.

"I'm sorry," Seamus apologised. "I shouldn't have done that..."

"Why did you do that?" she asked.

"I just... had to." Seamus was confused. Why had he kissed Lavender when he was with Summer?

"I'm going to go inside now," Lavender said, pulling out of his grasp. She closed the door behind her. What had just happened? More importantly, what did it mean?

*** *** ***

All day long, Julie couldn't get Nick out of her head. While her heart wanted to open up and trust him, her head kept telling her that he was only out for one thing- what she wasn't willing to give.

It was evening and Ethan was due for another lesson so they were headed down to the lake once more.

"What did you want to work on now?" Ethan asked. He hoped she wouldn't say diving.

"Whatever you like," Julie answered distractedly. "What about going underwater, diving, and jumping in, things like that?"

Ethan abruptly stopped walking. "No, not yet."

"Why not?" Julie pressed.

"Because I'm not ready to dive in yet," Ethan said. "We can try going underwater, but please don't make me dive yet, Jules. Please."

"Okay little man," Julie patted his shoulder. "I won't make you do anything you don't want to do."

"That's why you're my favourite sister," Ethan said, beaming up at her.

"I'm your only sister," Julie teased.

Ethan laughed and he grinned as he saw Nick was again by the lake. "Hey, Julie! Nick's here!"

Julie sighed. "Figures," she mumbled.

"Who's that girl he's with?" Ethan asked curiously.

Nick was standing with a pretty girl with black, curly hair. The girl was laughing and touching Nick's shoulder.

"I don’t' know," Julie narrowed her eyes. "One of his many girlfriends I suppose."

"Why would he have more than one girlfriend?" Ethan asked, as they set down their belongings.

"Because some guys like that are jerks." Julie pulled off her shorts. "Better never let me catch you with more than one girlfriend at a time."

"Hey," Nick said approaching them. "I'm glad to see you two again!"

"Are you going to help me swim tonight Nick?" Ethan asked eagerly.

"I don't know," Nick said, smiling at him. "Am I, Julie?"

Julie looked at him a moment. "If you'd like," she replied, her tone cool but not hostile.

"I'd like," Nick said. "Ethan, we're going to have you swimming the English Channel someday."

Julie smiled at the look on her brother's face. "Come on little man." she said, pulling her top off.

"Could I have a word with your sister before we get started, Ethan?" Nick asked.

"Okay," Ethan said, going over to the edge of the lake.

"I was wondering if I could steal you away after the lesson for a bite to eat in town," Nick asked, almost shyly.

"What?" Julie stared at him disbelievingly. "You're... you're asking me out?"

He shrugged. "A little inarticulately, I'll admit, but yes...I am asking you out."

"Why?" Julie asked incredulously.

Nick laughed. "I thought you were as smart as your mother, Jules. I’m asking you out because I fancy you, of course."

Julie stared at him as if in shock.

"Jules?' Nick asked, wondering why she was acting like this. "A simple yes or no will suffice."

Ethan was staring up the shore at his sister, wishing she would hurry up so they could get this lesson finished. Two older boys were playing a few feet away from him. One of the boys walked over and stared at him.

"What are you waiting for?" the older boy asked, looking at Ethan. "Are you going to swim or not?"

"I'm waiting for my sister," Ethan replied.

"You mean you can't swim on your own?" the boy laughed.

"I can so," Ethan said, looking up at the shore where Julie was still talking to Nick.

Nick frowned. "Julie? I'm waiting for an answer here...are you going to go out with me or not? Come on, you have to eat, right?"

"I don't know," she looked down.

Ethan wanted to yell for his sister to come down to him, but he didn't want to seem like a big baby in front of these older kids.

"Either swim or get out of the way!" the older boy said.

"I don't have to move if I don't want to!" Ethan crossed his arms.

"Don't mind him, Billy," the older boy said. "He's just a chicken. I'm sure they have a paddling pool around here for him somewhere."

Ethan frowned. "I can so swim!" he retorted.

"Yeah?" Billy asked, grinning. "Prove it."

"Come on, Julie," Nick was saying. "You know you want to."

Ethan felt a great ball of fear rise in his chest but he pushed it away. "Fine," he said, getting up. He walked out onto the floating dock and took a deep breath.

"Why do I want to?" Julie asked. "Give me a good reason to become one of your screaming girlie fans like that one over there," she nodded her head at the black haired girl who'd been flirting with him before.

"She just wanted an autograph, Julie!" Nick said, shaking his head. "Geez...it's like one step forward and two steps back with you. I can't do anything right where you're concerned."

"That's not so," Julie said before she could help herself. A loud splash made both her and Nick turn their heads. "Ethan?" she called out.

"Where is he?" Nick asked, frantically scanning the shoreline.

Julie grew panicked. "ETHAN!" she hollered, running down to the lake's edge.

"He jumped in," an older boy told her. "He said he could swim....he hasn't surfaced!"

"Shit," Nick pulled off his shirt and dove into the water. Julie remained with her hands clapped to her cheeks.

It seemed like an eternity, but Nick finally pulled Ethan out of the water.

"Ethan!" Julie screamed. She cursed herself for not watching him.

Nick carried Ethan to the shore and set him down. His eyes were closed and skin was so white. Nick knew exactly what to do, however, and within moments, Ethan was conscious again and coughed up water.

"You gave us quite a scare little man," Nick said, helping him sit up.

Julie nearly collapsed next to him. "Are you all right?" she hugged her little brother to her.

Ethan simply nodded and hugged his sister back. Nick looked at the two older boys who'd been standing by the shore. "Did you have anything do with this?" he asked rounding on them.

"Well..." Billy looked around.

"Did you?" Nick asked, glaring at them. "That kid is seven years old. Did it make you feel better to tease and taunt him? Huh? Answer me!"

"We're sorry..." the boys said, red faced.

"If you ever go near him again, you sure will be sorry," Nick said seriously.

"Come on Billy," the older boy said. They both ran away from the lakeside.

Julie was still holding her brother when Nick sat down next to them again. "I think he's going to be fine," he said gently.

"It's all my fault," Julie said, a tear running down her cheek. "I was supposed to be looking out for him. He could have died..."

"But he didn't," Nick brushed her tear away. "He's fine, aren't you Ethan?"

Ethan nodded. "I'm sorry, Julie."

Julie finally allowed Ethan to free himself from her grip. "Thank you Nick," she said softly.

"You're welcome," Nick said, smiling at her. "Don't go telling anyone about this, now. It'll ruin my reputation. They might call me the nice Malfoy or something and I can't deal with that sort of pressure."

Julie smiled slightly. "I wish there was a way I could repay you," she said as they went back to the chair where they'd dropped their things.

"You don't have to," Nick said. A sly grin broke across his handsome features. "But if you'd really like to and if it would make you feel better, you could go out to dinner with me tonight."

Julie shook her head, the smile still playing at her lips. "You're incorrigible," she said. "But all right."

*** *** ***

Later that day, Cho was sitting out on the cabin porch with Neville on one side of her and Chiaki on the other. Although the wedding was still a year away, Chiaki had wanted to get started planning right away.

"So we were thinking something not too big and not too small," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "Somewhere in the neighbourhood of about 200 guests, possibly."

"Two hundred?" Neville asked. "You certainly want a good send off sweetheart," he grinned at his daughter.

Chiaki laughed. "It's mostly Toshio's family. He has so many cousins and brothers and sisters."

"We've got a big extended family too," Cho replied. "Harry, Hermione and the kids, Ron and Luna's brood, the rest of the Weasleys...."

"Speaking of the Weasleys," Chiaki began. "Would it be okay to invite Nick to the wedding?"

"Of course it's fine," Cho replied.

"Great," Chiaki said, with a relieved grin. She hadn't thought it would be a problem, but she'd wanted to ask anyway. "I really like him."

'So do I, surprisingly," Neville said. "Even though we've known him about a week, Ron and Luna really like him a lot, and so do Harry and Hermione. It's nice to know that even though his parents are evil he's a good bloke."

"I think its because they didn't really raise him," Chiaki said. "The only real parental figure he's ever had has been his nanny."

"And the fact that he's half Weasley," Neville grinned. "That and the nanny must have been enough to squash the horrible Malfoy genes."

Chiaki nodded. There was something she'd been meaning to ask her mother, but she didn't know if it was something she could really ask in front of her father. But, she didn't want to hurt his feelings by asking him to leave, either. So, she decided to bite the bullet and just ask what had been troubling her for quite some time.

"Mum?" Chiaki asked. "How long were you and my...I mean, Nick's father...how long were you together?"

Cho seemed surprised. "Well... now that I think back on it, we were really never together. He was always fooling around behind my back but I didn't see that until later. But I thought he loved me at the time. We only lasted a few months..." she squeezed Neville's hand.

"From what I know about him...he just doesn't seem like someone you'd ever fall for," Chiaki said. "What was he like when you were...together?"

Cho thought for a moment, hoping Neville was okay with hearing about this. They never did talk about what her time with Malfoy had been like. "He was quite charming. Really made you feel like you were the only woman that mattered. It was all an act."

"Uncle Harry never liked him, right?" Chiaki asked. "How did he like you going out with his sworn enemy?"

"He hated it," Cho replied.

"None of us liked it," Neville added.

Chiaki nodded. "I'm sorry to bring up bad history, Mum. It's just that I have so many questions..."

"It's all right sweetheart," Cho said. "I don't regret being with him because he gave me you."

"I agree," Neville interjected.

"He...he never tried to see me, did he?" Chiaki asked. "You said he signed over his parental rights straightaway, right?"

"I got them back within just a few days. And then we didn’t' hear much of anything from them until we got here." Cho said.

Chiaki listened to what her mother said and from what she knew of her biological father, she was glad that he hadn't had a hand in raising her. But, she was still very curious about this man. What kind of person would just give their child away? Why hadn't he at least tried to meet her at least once? The fact that he hadn't stung her somewhat, but she felt stupid for feeling that way. She had a wonderful father that she loved with all her heart.

"Let's get back to the wedding plans," Neville sensed the topic was a bit disturbing to his daughter.

"Would it be okay if we did that some other time?" Chiaki asked, standing up from her seat. "I-I think I'm going to take a walk."

"Sure," Cho took the notebook her daughter had been using to make notes in. "Want any company?"

Chiaki shook her head. "No, I'd like some alone time. I'll catch back up with you guys for dinner."

Neville and Cho watched their daughter walk away with concerned expressions on their face. "This is hard for her to deal with," Neville finally said.

"I know," Cho said darkly. "And I hate Malfoy for never bothering with her. I could have slapped him for child support but I never did. Sometimes wish I had."

"He'd have fought you every step of the way," Neville said. "Ginny told Ron that she still doesn't believe Draco fathered Chiaki. Can you believe that? He's still not taking responsibility for it."

"That doesn't surprise me," Cho shook her head. "I'm so lucky to have you Neville. Chiaki's lucky too. You know she loves you as if you really were her biological dad."

"I do," he said. "And I love her as much as I love Frankie and Allie. I hope she's never felt that I've treated them any differently. She's just as much mine as they are. And it hurts me to see her in pain about this."

"I don't think she thinks that way," Cho snuggled next to him. "But I think she's just naturally curious about Malfoy. And it bothers her that someone could give up a child so easily."

"I'm really glad he didn't come here," Neville said, wrapping an arm around Cho. "I don't know what would have happened if he had."

*** *** ***

Nick wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans. He hoped Julie wouldn't get too dressed up as his nice trousers seemed to have disappeared courtesy of his mother, who had done all she could to dissuade Nick from going out with Julie that night. He had finally called her bluff and left her sitting alone in the cabin.

He approached the cabin that the Potter family was staying in and knocked on the door.

Harry opened the door and for what seemed like an eternity just stared at Nick. Thankfully, he finally smiled and shook the young man's hand. "Hello, Nick," he said. "Julie's not ready yet. Would you like to come in and wait?"

"Sure," Nick said. "Thanks."

Harry stood back so Nick could come inside. He'd marvelled at the resemblance between Nick and his father. In many ways, it was just like seeing Draco Malfoy all over again. The difference was that Nick didn't have the cold, icy glare.

"Evening," Nick nodded politely to Hermione. "Hey Ethan."

"Hi Nick!" Ethan seemed to have recovered from his earlier swim in the lake. "Are you going to stay and play with my new toys?"

"I uh... actually maybe some other time Ethan," Nick smiled at him.

"We wanted to thank you for what you did today," Hermione said, smiling at him. She put an arm around Ethan and hugged him tightly.

"Anytime," Nick nodded. "I'm just glad I was there."

"So were we," Harry said, offering Nick his hand.

Nick shook it. "I hope Julie isn't still upset with herself." he said. "It really wasn't her fault."

"She knows that," Hermione said. "Those older boys should have known better..."

"I gave them a piece of my mind," Nick said.

"He really did, Mum!" Ethan said proudly. "It was great!"

Harry and Hermione smiled as Julie came out of her room. "Hey," Nick said. "I'm a bit early, sorry."

Julie blushed. "No, I was running late. I'm sorry you had to wait..."

"It's all right," Nick said. "Are you ready to go?" he noted with relief that she was wearing blue jeans and a light ivory jumper.

"Um, sure," Julie said, smiling at him. She hugged her mother and father and mussed up Ethan's hair. "I won't be too late, Mum," Julie said.

"All right sweetheart," Hermione said. "Have fun."

"We will," Julie said looking at her dad to make sure this was in fact okay. He had told her he had no problem with her going out with Nick, but she thought it might have been out of gratitude because of what he'd done for Ethan.

Harry nodded at them. "Can I have a quick word Nick?" he asked.

"Sure," Nick nodded, suddenly nervous.

Julie wondered what her father was going to talk to Nick about and she looked at her mother for an answer, but Hermione just shrugged.

Nick followed Harry out onto the porch. "You're probably wondering why I asked Julie to go out with me..." he began.

"The thought had crossed my mind," Harry admitted.

"I really like her," Nick said.

Harry nodded. "It's no secret that I don't care very much for your parents and the feeling is mutual. I'm willing to give you a chance, Nick. Ron and Luna really seem to like you and their opinion matters to me. What I'm saying is that I don't have a problem with you dating my daughter. But, if you hurt her..."

"I won't," Nick promised.

"Then we won't have a problem," Harry said, his tone light, but his features were quite serious.

"Right," Nick said. "Thank you sir."

Harry nodded and opened the door motioning for Julie to come outside. "Have a good time, sweetheart," Harry said, pecking his daughter on the cheek before he went back inside.

Julie looked apologetically at Nick. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea he was going to do that!"

"It's all right," Nick smiled at her. "It's nice to see parents who actually care about their kids."

Julie nodded, not really knowing what to say to that. "So, um, where are we going tonight?" she asked.

"Just over to the town," Nick replied. "I hope that's all right with you. I didn't have time to plan anything spectacular."

Julie frowned and sighed. "I guess that will have to do ..."

"I'm really sorry," Nick said. "I didn't plan on asking you out and I really didn't think you'd accept and--"

Julie laughed. "Kidding....I was kidding Nick."

"Oh," Nick relaxed. "Sorry- I'm not usually so jumpy."

"Little old me has this big old musician jumpy?" Julie asked, pretending to swoon.

Nick laughed. "Yeah well... it's been awhile since I was out on a date with someone I actually fancied..."

"I haven't been on a date since...well, that's not important," she realised she was about to talk about Ryan and she didn't want to do that.

Nick nodded. In a move that surprised her, he reached out and took her hand, and he was glad when she didn't pull away.

They walked in silence for a few moments, each enjoying their newly found closeness. Julie looked sideways at him. "You realise that you are now Ethan's second favourite person in the universe, right?"

He grinned. "I guess I'll have to give him more money for sweets. Maybe I'll move up to first place."

Julie laughed. "You'd have your work cut out for you. My dad is firmly planted in the first place and I don't think he's going anywhere."

"Well then I think that puts me third, after you." Nick squeezed her hand. "Or maybe fourth after your mum."

"Actually mum and dad are tied," Julie joked. "And then there's me...so you are in third place, unofficially."

"So still in the winner's circle aye?" Nick teased.

"Very much so," she said. Feeling a bit bold, she smiled at him. "With me as well."

Nick grinned. "That's good to hear," he said warmly.

"So your mum...how did she take the news that you were taking a Potter out?" she asked.

"She hid my dress trousers," Nick groaned. "That's the only reason I have jeans on."

Julie looked at him in disbelief. "She hid your dress trousers? You're kidding, right?"

"Unfortunately I'm not," Nick grimaced. "When it comes down to it she's got the maturity level of a two year old. I hate to think of what I'd have turned out like if I didn't have Greta."

"What's she like this Greta?" Julie asked conversationally. "She practically raised you herself, right?"

Nick nodded. "She's the best. She's in her sixties, and she's a Squib... so she's used to having magic around."

"My parents would love to have someone like that around for Ethan," Julie commented. "My dad has to travel a lot for his job and my mum's busy running the Ministry. I've been pitching in when I can, but hopefully I'll have a proper job soon and...They’re at a loss about what they'll be able to do."

"I'm sure they'll find someone," Nick said. "I'm sure there's bound to be loads of people who'd like to work for your parents."

"That's the problem," Julie said, shaking her head. "You wouldn't believe the wackos that have tried to apply..."

Nick laughed. "Try me. I've seen my share of those. You should see some of the witches who show up at our concerts."

"Really?" Julie asked. "I would love to see you play sometime."

"You would?" Nick was surprised.

She nodded. "I really would."

"Okay," Nick was pleased. "Well... maybe you can come down to Australia before summer holiday is over."

"I'm sure your Mum would love that," Julie joked.

Nick shrugged. "I'd put you up at a hotel or something. I wouldn't subject you to staying in the same place as her."

Julie tensed up a bit at what he'd just said. "You wouldn't have to put me up anywhere! I can pay my own way, you know."

"Okay," Nick sensed that he touched a nerve. "I'd help you find a nice place to stay, how's that sound?"

"Better," she said.

"You're really independent aren't you Julie?" Nick asked as they came down the main street of the small town.

"I try to be," she said. "You wouldn't believe the number of job offers I've gotten just because of my last name. I even received some offers from Quidditch teams and I hate to fly!"

Nick laughed. "You hate flying? How come?"

"I get it from my Mum," Julie replied. "She's afraid of it, too. I guess I just like my feet on the ground."

"No harm in that," Nick pulled open the door and held it for her. "I hope you like good old pub food," he said. "This seemed to be the best that was open right now."

"I grew up on good old pub food," Julie said with a grin.

Nick smiled. "I grew up on Vegemite."

Julie grimaced.

"Yeah I know," Nick laughed. "But Greta loves that stuff and I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not eating it when she made a sandwich for me."

They sat down in a booth near the back of the pub. Julie picked up her menu. "Chiaki's going to kill me...I didn't tell her we were going out tonight."

"How come?" Nick asked.

"We usually tell each other everything," Julie answered. "Almost everything..."

"Well I'm sure you'll tell her tomorrow," Nick looked over his own menu.

"Maybe," she said, looking back down at her menu. She smiled at him shyly over her menu. "Do you have any friends?" When she realised what that sounded like, she felt completely stupid. "I'm sorry," she began to apologise. "I didn't mean that the way it sounded."

"I have a few," Nick was laughing at her. "Mainly the guys in my band, although lately we've all sort of spread out."

Julie nodded and was glad that her pathetic attempt at small talk hadn't offended him.

"So do you know what you're going to have?" she asked, looking at her menu again.

"Probably fish and chips or something like that," Nick said. "It's one of my favourite foods, and they don't make it around where I live in Sydney."

"Excellent choice," she said, grinning at him over her menu.

"You too?" he asked.

"I think so," she said.

"Good," Nick said. "I'll go order." he hopped up and headed over to the bar.

Julie watched him go and couldn't help but admire how handsome he looked even dressed as casually as he was. She was having a very nice time and she was getting the impression that he was as well.

A few hours later found Nick and Julie walking back towards Hillsdale. "It's a nice night," he said.

"Really nice," she agreed.

"Are you chilly at all?" Nick asked.

"A little," Julie admitted. "I should have brought a jacket."

"If I had a jacket I'd give you mine," Nick said. "But since I don't..." he slid an arm over her shoulders. "How's that?"

"Very nice actually," she whispered with a smile.

"Good," Nick kept his arm there as he walked her back to her cabin. "So um... I had a really nice time tonight."

"I did too," she said shyly. "You're not a bad date, Malfoy."

He grinned. "Well... since we had such a nice time and I don't want to ruin things between us so that we have to start over yet again... would it be all right if I kissed you goodnight?"

She nodded. "I'd like that..."

"Okay," Nick said softly. He leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss, his lips lingering on hers for a few moments.

She felt a little dizzy when he finally pulled away. Finally opening her eyes, she smiled at him. "Good night, Nicholas."

"Good night Jules," Nick grinned back.

*** *** ***

While her son was out on his date, Ginny spent the evening drinking herself into a stupor. It had been a week or so since she'd last written to Draco and he had yet to respond. She tried to tell herself that her husband was a busy, important man and that was the reason why he'd not been able to contact her yet. But, she knew that wasn't the case. They'd rarely seen each other over the past few months and Ginny had a feeling her marriage was really in trouble.

If he'd only agreed to come to Hillsdale, they might have been able to work out their problems, she thought miserably to herself.

Here she was, however, in a place where no one liked her and treated her as if she had the plague. Her own son was behaving like a traitor. Dating that plain Potter girl was an embarrassment to the entire Malfoy family. She'd raised Nick better than that, hadn't she? The little voice in the back of her head reminded her that she really hadn't had much hand in raising her son.

With all this going around in her head, it was no wonder she'd turned to the bottle on another lonely night.

Nick was grinning as he went back to the cabin. His date with Julie had been a complete success and he was glad that she'd had a good time as well. He was in such a good mood that the thought of facing his mother didn't even faze him.

Until he walked in the door that is. "Mum..." Nick stared at the empty bottles on the table. "What... what are you doing?"

She smiled dazedly up at him. "Having a couple of drinks, of course. Did you want one?"

"No," Nick grabbed the wine away. "What are you doing Mum? Why are you drinking like this?"

Ginny frowned. "Your father hasn't owled me back. I've written and written and he hasn't written me back. He thinks I'm hideous, doesn't he? Doesn't he?"

She started to cry and buried her face in her hands.

Nick sighed. "I don't know," he said. "Come on, you need to get some of this back up or you'll be sick in the morning."

Ginny nodded and allowed Nick to help her get to her feet. "You know what I don't understand, Nicholas? Why he never let us get one of those ...what are those things called that Muggles use to talk to each other...mobiles? Yes! One of those! But, he couldn't be bothered to have anything that a Muggle used, could he? If we had one of those, I'd know where he bloody well was, wouldn't I? Cheating, lying bastard!"

Nick rolled his eyes. "I don't know anything about what my father is doing." he said shortly. "Come on; let's get you into the loo."

Ginny nodded and they walked toward the bathroom. The lights weren't on in the hallway, however, and Ginny stumbled and hit her head on a table.

Nick had to hold himself steady as his mother slumped forward. "Mum?" he asked, shaking her a little. She didn't reply. Nick wound one arm around her waist and tipped her head back with the other.

"Shit..." he swore. Ginny was out cold. He dragged her into the bedroom as quickly as he could, laying her face down on the bed. "Shit... what do I do?" he looked around the room wildly for a moment.

In his and Luna's cabin, Ron had just checked on the kids to make sure everyone was present and accounted for. He'd just been about to join his wife, when he heard a light tapping on the door.

"Uncle Ron!" Nick knocked harder. "Are you there?"

Ron swung open the door and saw his nephew looking very upset. "Nick?" Ron asked. "What's happened?"

"It's my mum," Nick said. "She's gone and gotten herself pissed and then she stumbled and hit her head on the table and she won't wake up!"

Ron didn't even take the time to tell Luna what was going on. He quickly put his shoes back on and followed Nick back to Ginny's cabin.

"I put her in the bedroom," Nick said as they flew into the room. "I faced her down... I didn't know what to do though!"

"That's good, Nick," Ron said, gently turning Ginny over to get a better look. Her skin was white and blood was trickling down from her forehead. "Does she get like this often?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," Nick replied. "I hardly ever see them but I remember a few years ago after a party she was pissed pretty badly."

Ron nodded. "I'm really not that good at this, I'm afraid. The sight of blood, even my own, makes me a bit skittish. We might need to call someone, Nick. Hermione's really good at this sort of thing."

"Okay," Nick said nervously. "Should... should I go get her right now?"

Ron had a feeling that his sister wouldn't welcome any help from Hermione, but he was frankly at a loss for what to do. As if sensing who they were about to go to for help, Ginny began to stir.

"Gin?" Ron asked, gently shaking her. "Come on, Gin. Wake up."

Nick crossed his arms, tapping his foot nervously as his uncle softly patted his mother's cheeks. Ginny groaned as Ron gently helped her sit up.

"Merlin..." she whimpered. "I think I'm going to--" Nick grabbed the wastebasket right by the door and shoved it at her just as Ginny began to retch.

"Nick," Ron said, turning to look at him. "Go and get your mum a glass of water. And how about a cold rag, as well?"

"Okay," Nick ran out of the room.

"What happened," Ginny mumbled.

"Apparently, you got really pissed and fell and hit your head," Ron answered. "And nearly scared your son half to death, Ginny."

"I did?" Ginny put her hand to her forehead. "Oh Merlin I'm bleeding!"

"Yes, you are," Ron said, as Nick came back into the room and handed his uncle the cold rag. Ron dabbed at the cut on Ginny's forehead. "That's going to look really pretty tomorrow morning."

"She drank a lot of wine," Nick held out one of the small bottles he'd seen on the table. "Six of these."

Ron grimaced. "Ginny, what in the hell are you doing? Trying to kill yourself?"

Ginny snorted. "Why would I want to kill myself? Because my husband ignores me and is cheating on me and won't have anything to do with me?" she flung her arm out, nearly hitting Ron in the process. Nick shook his head, disgusted at her actions.

"I thought you were living the good life," Ron said, shaking his head. "You said that you and Ferret boy were having the time of your lives and that everyone either wanted to be with you or be like you, isn't that what you said, Ginny? Don't tell me you've been lying to us all the entire time?"

"Why would you care if I was?" Ginny retorted. "Ugh, I feel just awful..."

"You should feel awful," Ron said. He knew it was horrible to kick his sister when she was down, but this was inexcusable. "And why wouldn't I care? You are my sister, remember?"

"Whatever," Ginny tried to push him away.

"What's it like in Australia, Ginny?" Ron asked coldly. "Have many friends to help you out? You can't exactly owl Mum and Dad to let them know how you are, can you? You don't even know how many nights Mum has cried herself to sleep, sick with worry over you. Hell, if you did, you probably wouldn't have cared."

"Stop it Ron!" Ginny hunched over on the side of the bed. "I don't need to hear this from you!"

"The truth hurts, doesn't it?" Ron asked bitterly.

Ginny didn't reply, only staggered to her feet. "How could you do this to me Nicholas?" she glared at her son. "How could you go get him so he could kick me while I'm down?"

"I didn't know what else to do," Nick said, not understanding why she was getting so upset. "Would you rather I had gone to get one of the Potters?"

"Ugh, that just makes me feel sick again," Ginny leaned against the wall. "Oh, Nicholas, your little date. Did it go well?" she asked her tone snide.

"Don't you try and turn this on him!" Ron exclaimed angrily. "You should be thanking him for what he did for you tonight. I can't believe you, Ginny!"

"Uncle Ron, it's okay," Nick said, looking at his mother. "I'm used to it by now."

Ginny scoffed as she began to try and walk out of the room. "Right," she sneered. "Go off and become one of the precious Potter clan Nicholas. Don't come crying back to us when they shove you away."

Nick sighed and shook his head as his mother stumbled into the hallway. "Sorry for pulling you over here," he muttered.

"You don't have to apologise, Nick," Ron said. "I was happy to help. Luna and I will always be there for you. I hope you know that."

"Thank you," Nick said. "I appreciate that. I've never seen her this bad before. She's been talking nonsense about my father."

Ron nodded. He had a few choice words for Draco Malfoy as well, but he certainly didn't want to say them in front of Draco's son.

"You should probably keep an eye on her tonight," Ron said. "She may have a concussion. You don't want her going back to sleep..."

"Are you sure we don't need to call in someone?" Nick asked. Despite the fact that Ginny was so hateful, she was still his mother. "A doctor or whatever the Muggle word is?"

"I don't think so," Ron said. "She's awake now and she's thrown up. Like I said, just make sure she stays awake. In the morning, you might want to have one of the resort medics check her out. Steve mentioned they had someone on call 24 hours a day."

Nick nodded and walked Ron out of the cabin.

"So what's this I hear about a date?" Ron asked, smiling at him. "Surely, you didn't finally talk old Julie into a date?"

Nick turned red. "Yeah," he said. "We went out tonight."

"And?" Ron asked. "How did it go?"

"It went good," Nick smiled. "She's really something."

"That she is," Ron said, smiling at Nick. "And don't let your mum do anything to wreck that, you hear me? She doesn't know what she's talking about."

"I know," Nick replied. "If I listened to her then you'd all hate me right about now."

"You did the right thing, Nick," Ron said, wanting so badly to take his nephew away from all of this. Nick was too good a person to have to deal with all of this drama. "I'll come by and check on you tomorrow."

"Thanks," Nick said. "I'll do my best to keep her awake."

"That's a good lad," Ron said, smiling at him. "See you, Nick."

"Bye," Nick watched his uncle leave, then went back inside and started cleaning away the wine bottles. He wouldn't let his mother ruin what he had with Julie. She already meant too much to him for that to happen.

9. All I Need

A/N: Sorry we didn’t get to review responses this time but we’ll try and pick it back up for Saturday’s update.

Nerdypurdy drew us some fanart, which you can check out here. We both love it- we hope you all do as well!

As always, please let us know what you think- everyone’s favourite bad guy makes an appearance in this one!

All I Need – Matchbox 20

And that’s all that I need, yeah
Someone else to cling to, yeah
Someone I can lean on
Until I don’t need to
Just stay all through the night
In the morning let me down
Cause that’s all that I need right now

Hermione laughed as Harry listened at the door. "Is she in bed yet?" she asked, referring to their daughter who had arrived home from her date just a little while ago.

"I just heard her bedroom door shut," Harry said, winking conspiratorially at his wife. "You ready?"

"Of course I am," Hermione tugged her shirt down. She and her husband were sneaking out to the lake for some extracurricular activity involving her red bikini. They'd gotten rained out the last time and she had been looking forward to this.

"I can't believe we're sneaking out," Harry said, grabbing his old Invisibility cloak. "Parents aren't supposed to this sort of thing, are they?"

"Maybe not," Hermione replied. "But we're not just any parents are we? We're the rabbits."

He grinned at her. "Yes, we are. And we do have a reputation to uphold."

"Exactly," Hermione crept under the cloak. "Is it just me or have you gained a stone? I don't remember it being so tight under here." she poked his side teasingly.

"If I have, it certainly wasn't from your cooking," he countered.

"Harry James," Hermione poked him harder.

"You're going the right way to get thrown in the lake, Hermione Jane," he teased her.

"And you'll be dragged right along with me," Hermione retorted. "Come on." she quietly pushed the door open so it wouldn't creak.

"You just stepped on my foot," he said, as they ungracefully tried to manoeuvre their way down the stairs.

"Do you want to wake our children?" Hermione asked. "Then we'll never get down to the water."

"Point taken," he said, lowering his voice.

"That's a good boy," Hermione patted his hand.

"This is like going back in time, isn't it?" he asked her as they made their way toward the lake. "Only now, we don't have to worry about your dad finding out."

Hermione laughed. "That's right," she grinned at him. "We're recapturing our youth here."

"Yes we are," he said. "Could you have even imagined all those years ago that someday we'd be back here with our own children and that our own daughter would be dating the Malfoy's son?"

"No," Hermione shook her head. "But then again I'd have never thought that Draco and Ginny could have a son as polite and well mannered as Nick."

"If he didn't look so much like Draco, I'd swear the kid was adopted," Harry said.

Hermione laughed. "All right," she pulled herself out from under the cloak. "You've got to turn your back now Potter."

"What?" he asked. "Hermione...I've seen you loads of times...oh...right...I guess we're doing this exactly like we did back then?"

"Uh huh," Hermione said. "Turn around please," she quickly stripped off her shirt and jeans. "It's a little more snug, but then again back at that point I hadn't given birth to two children..."

He turned around and looked at her. From what he could see, she looked the same as she did that night so long ago. He told her as much.

"You're sweet Harry," Hermione leaned forward and pecked him on the lips.

"And I'm also overdressed at the moment," he said, smiling at her.

"You are," Hermione said. "I'll wait for you in the lake..." she turned and dove in, surfacing a few feet away.

"How's the water?" he called out to her, as he pulled his t-shirt off.

"A little cold," Hermione called back. "Get in here and warm me up!"

"You're awfully bossy," Harry said, as he slipped out of his shoes. "You realise that, right?"

"And on more than one occasion you've told me that's part of what you love about me," Hermione smiled sweetly.

Harry laughed and then dove in, surfacing just behind his wife. "You sent for me?" he asked, whispering in her ear.

"I did," Hermione circled her arms around his neck.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered before leaning is and kissing her.

"Mmm..." Hermione said when she pulled away. "I love you so much Harry." she let her fingers play in his wet hair.

"I love you," he said as his hands went around her back and untied her bikini top.

"Harry Potter are you getting frisky with me?" Hermione teased.

"I believe I am," he said, laughing. "Or trying to at the very least."

"You're succeeding," Hermione kissed him as he pulled her top off and flung it onto the dock.

"Could it be?" Harry asked, pulling her close. "The Minister for Magic is actually skinny dipping?"

"Don't tell anyone," Hermione said, holding a finger to her lips. "We might take over Lav's spot as Queen of the Tabloid."

"Your secret is safe with me," he said huskily, crushing his lips to hers.

Hermione kept one arm around his neck while the other went down to his swim trunks. "Let's free Harry Jr," she said devilishly. "He wants to play."

"Most definitely," he said, chuckling. He had a sharp intake of breath as he felt her hands go inside his trunks. "Are you deliberately trying to torture me?"

"Maybe," Hermione drew the word out.

She finally lowered his trunks and he manoeuvred out of them quickly. He pulled her close again, kissing he with everything that he had.

"Now I'm the overdressed one," Hermione nipped playfully at his ear.

"Let's see what we can do about that," he said, hooking his fingers in her bikini bottom.

Hermione helped him pull the rest of her bikini off. "Now we're about even," she wrapped herself back around him. "Now you can do what we've been looking forward to... all... day... long..."

Harry pushed into her immediately. He'd been holding off as long as he could, but she really had been torturing him by deliberately taking things slow. He wanted to tell her that he'd been looking forward to doing this again for almost twenty years, but he soon lost the ability to form a coherent sentence.

"That's it..." Hermione let her head fall back, her hair trailing in the water behind her. "Oh Merlin Harry..." she bit down on her lower lip to keep from crying out.

He buried his face in her shoulder to avoid crying out as well. If they kept this up, he knew they'd both wake the entire resort.

"Kiss me," Hermione demanded breathlessly.

She was definitely bossy, he mused silently to himself. But, he did as he was told, claiming her lips in a fiery kiss.

Hermione opened his mouth with hers, tasting every bit of her husband that she could as their lower bodies moved together. With one last thrust, Hermione let out her gasp into his mouth.

They held each other for a long time afterwards. Harry didn't want to let her go just yet, amazed at how after twenty years of marriage they could still do this to each other. He kissed her softly.

"You are...amazing," he said, cupping her face in his hands.

"So are you love," Hermione leaned her forehead against his. "Still one of the best things that ever happened to me."

"Every good thing in my life comes back to you," he said, kissing her again. "You and the kids are everything to me."

"Same here," Hermione grinned. "We've had a pretty good life together haven't we?"

"Pretty good?" he asked, nudging her playfully.

"All right, extremely good," Hermione laughed. "We've had our ups and downs but I can barely remember a time when it's been down for more than a day."

"Even with that deranged psychopath plotting against us," Harry said, still shuddering at the thought of Gordon Devereaux.

Hermione nodded. "Sometimes if I stop to think about it, I really can't believe how bloody stupid I was about him. And you were amazing about it- any other guy would have given up on me." she smiled at him. "But not you."

"I never would have," he said seriously. "I was in too deep with you by then just to walk away."

Hermione leaned forward and kissed him. "That's why I love you so much."

"Come on, Mrs. Potter," he said, caressing her cheek. "Let's get dressed and back to the cabin before our children find out what we've been up to."

"Good idea," Hermione kissed him one more time. "After all we've got a nice soft bed to snuggle up in."

"Yes we do," he said. "And I say we sleep in late tomorrow."

"I'm with you," she said.

"See?" he asked her as they found their discarded swimsuits and got dressed. "I have been a bad influence on you..."

"And I've loved every minute of it," Hermione joked.

"So have I," he said. "And I've got a bit of a secret for you...I'm not finished corrupting you yet."

Hermione laughed. "What's that mean? Twenty years and you haven't shown me all you've got?"

"I still have a few tricks up my sleeve," he said, as they towelled off.

"Like what?" Hermione sidled up next to him.

"Can't tell you that," he said smugly. "That would ruin the surprise. You'll find out at the proper time, believe me."

"Can't wait," Hermione said.

He grinned at her as they huddled under the cloak.

"We'll have to sneak out again before we leave." Hermione said. "Makes me feel quite mischievous."

"Definitely," Harry agreed. "Too bad we can't tell Ethan how much fun you can have in that lake."

Hermione laughed. "I wonder if he and Julie ever plan on telling us that she's giving him swim lessons. It's fairly obvious to me now that that's what they're doing."

"Well, I guess if we can have our little secrets, they're allowed to have a few of their own," Harry said.

"Of course," Hermione replied.

"I still wish Ethan felt like he could tell us if he was scared about something," Harry said thoughtfully.

"He will," Hermione reassured him. "I read about this before- it's common in young kids. They just don't like admitting they're scared of things."

"Well, did that book tell you what we should do about it?" Harry asked.

"Just let it run it's course," Hermione advised. "Sooner or later he'll either come forth about it or he'll get over it."

"Jules is obviously helping him with it," Harry said. "At least that's something."

"Well they're close," Hermione smiled up at him. "It's sweet of her to help with him."

Harry nodded. "Aye, it is. We're lucky that they get along. They could be as bad as Josh and Jon Weasley. Brothers who can't stand each other."

"Someday the two of them will be best friends," Hermione nodded. "Although," she began to giggle. "Know what Luna told me earlier?"

Harry shook his head. "What?"

"That Jon fancies Allison, who fancies Josh, who they think, actually does fancy Allison back but he's too stubborn to give up on Julie," Hermione shook her head, still laughing.

"How on earth do you keep track of that?" Harry asked, laughing. "That sounds like a soap opera plot."

"I laughed so hard when Luna told me I thought we'd fall in the lake," Hermione replied.

"It's a shame that Josh isn't older," Harry said. "I always did think he'd be a good match for Julie. Of course, she's gone and landed herself a Malfoy."

"I don't think Julie ever liked Josh back in that way," Hermione said. "She's always thought of him like she does Ethan."

Harry nodded and as they passed the Malfoy cabin, he couldn't help notice that every light was on in the cabin. "I guess Ginny's turned into a night owl," he commented.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Among other things," she said darkly. "I still don't understand how she once could have been nice."

"She once was," Harry said, remembering the young girl, who had always been so shy around him. He'd often wondered what happened to her. "I started to notice a change in her during my last year at school. She started getting into trouble sneaking out after curfew...you name it and she did it."

Hermione shook her head. "Was she with Malfoy even then?"

"I'm not sure," Harry said, shrugging. "I wouldn't be surprised."

"And to think she believes she could have landed you," Hermione scoffed.

"She never had a chance," he said. "Even if she'd stayed the same sweet girl I always knew, I guess I would have always seen her as a little sister."

Hermione hugged him around the waist. "And I had you trapped," she said smugly. "You were all mine from that first day we saw each other."

"Was I?" he asked teasingly.

"Yes you were," Hermione poked his side. "And you know it too Harry Potter."

He kissed her. "I do know that and I'm grateful for it everyday."

"That's right," Hermione kissed him back. "Come on, let's get to bed. I want to have my way with you again."

"So you're not sick of me yet then?" he asked.

"Please," Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Far from it..."

"That's good to hear," he said. "Because you're stuck with me."

"Forever and ever," Hermione affirmed.

"Sounds perfect to me," he said, pulling the cloak off of them and kissing her again. "I can't get enough of you..."

"Right here?" Hermione teased.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "But how about we race each other back to the cabin? You've never been able to beat me..."

"You're on," Hermione took off instantly.

"Hermione!" he called, laughing as he ran after her. "You're such a cheater!"

"And I'm going to beat you this time!" she giggled.

"No, you're not," he said, grinning at her as he ran past her.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed, taking a burst of speed and jumping up onto his back.

"Ohhh!" Harry said, laughing. "Okay, I guess this works, too."

"Damn right it does," Hermione said, letting him carry her the rest of the way back.

*** *** ***

Julie, Josh, Jon and Allison were all sitting together the next afternoon by the lake. Ethan was down with Darla and Drew playing in the sand by the water. She was trying to concentrate on her plans for her party, but her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Nick. She'd had a wonderful time on their date and she thought he'd enjoyed it too, but when he hadn't shown up to their swim lesson that morning Julie had automatically assumed the worst.

"I should stop thinking that way," she said to herself. "Maybe he was tired and slept in..."

"What?" Josh was leaning over to her. "Did you say something to me?"

"Oh no, sorry," Julie smiled at him. "Just talking to myself is all.”

"Allie?" Jon asked, smiling at her. "Did you want me to put some suntan lotion on your back? We wouldn't want you to get sunburned."

Allison smiled and sat up in her lounge chair. "That'd be really sweet of you, Jon," she said, pulling her hair over her shoulder.

Josh turned from Julie. "She can't possibly like that," he muttered.

"Why not?" Julie asked. "He fancies her. It's sort of sweet..."

"Sweet?" Josh asked in disbelief. "Jon has never in his life been described as sweet."

"That tickles, Jon," Allison said, giggling.

"Sorry," Jon grinned. He liked running his hands over her smooth bare shoulders. "If you're getting too warm we can always go for a dip in the lake."

Allison had never really thought of Jon the same way she thought of Josh. But, Jon was the one paying attention to her. Jon was the one who seemed to fancy her. Despite her feelings for Josh, she was finding that she did like Jon quite a bit.

"Okay," she said, looking over her shoulder at him. "But you have to promise and not splash me like you did last time."

"When did the two of you go swimming together?" Josh asked incredulously.

"A few days ago," Jon said. "While you were busy fawning over... someone else..." he grinned mischievously. Josh scowled at his brother.

"And Allie did promise she'd go into town with me after dinner for some ice cream," Jon said squeezing Allison’s shoulder.

Julie smiled. "I'm sure you two will have a nice time. The pub Nick and I went to was really nice."

"Nick?" Josh asked, looking at her. "You, um, you went out with Nick?"

Julie turned red. "Yeah, last night," she murmured.

Allison smiled at her. "He's very cute Jules." she teased.

"Something the matter, Josh?" Jon asked his brother, knowing full well that he wasn't taking this particular news very well.

"JULIE!" Ethan called out for his sister.

"What?" Julie asked, glad to escape Josh's gaze.

"I need some help!" Ethan asked, waving at her to come toward him. Julie quickly excused herself to go and see what Ethan wanted, leaving the two boys alone with Allison.

"Chiaki said something was going on between the two of them," Allison said, as Jon finished rubbing suntan lotion on her back. "But, I don't think she knows that they went out on a date. Wait until I tell her!"

"You should probably let Julie tell her," Jon advised.

Allison smiled. "You're probably right. Jon, you're so smart!"

Jon beamed at her. "I'm nowhere near as clever as you, Al."

"Oh give me a break," Josh stared at his brother in disgust.

"Now, now," Jon said, smiling at Josh. "Just because the woman of your dreams is dating someone else, it's no need to get so tetchy with the rest of us..."

Josh grew bright red. "When will you leave me alone about her?" he asked furiously.

"When you finally see that she's never going to be with you," Jon said. "I'm only looking out for your best interests, Josh."

"Best interests my arse," Josh snapped.

"Okay," Jon said, not wanting to push the issue any further in front of Allison. "Al? How about I go and grab us a few sodas from the snack bar?"

"Sure," Allison smiled at him. "Sounds good to me."

Jon squeezed her shoulder once more before heading off for the snack bar.

"Al? You let him call you Al?" Josh asked her. "You once told me you hated being called Al."

Allison shrugged. "Maybe 5 or 6 years ago I hated it."

"He's just putting on an act for you," Josh said. "You know he doesn't really like you."

Allison's jaw dropped. "How could you say that?" she asked. "What is wrong with you today Josh? You're being so mean to everyone!"

"I didn't mean it like it sounded, Allie," Josh said quickly. "I just don't think Jon is the right person for you."

"Well that's not really any of your concern is it?" she asked, pulling her legs up.

"Yes it is," he said, starting to feel angry himself. He was just trying to look out for her and she was reacting to this all wrong. "You're my friend, Allie."

"Not your girlfriend," Allison said, a bit sadly. She wondered if this conversation was her proof that Josh would never see her as such. "And with that in mind I think I can decide who I'd like to go out with."

"Fine," Josh said, grabbing his t-shirt and towel. "Go ahead and do what you want. But don't come crying to me when he acts like the jerk he really is!"

He stalked off, leaving a very confused Allison staring after him. Julie came back to the chairs and noticed the expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked, sitting back down.

Allison shrugged. "I'm not sure really," she said softly.

"Jon really fancies you," Julie said, smiling at her. "I've never seen him act this way over a girl before."

Allison blushed. "He's nice," she agreed. "And I always actually preferred Josh over him. But ever since we came to Hillsdale Jon's been really attentive and sweet."

"And what about Josh?" Julie asked.

"Josh is being different," Allison answered. "He's tetchy whenever we talk."

Julie nodded. "Boys sure are hard to figure out, aren't they?"

"No kidding," Allison sat back. "So when did this start with you and Nick?"

Julie considered this question. She explained briefly to Allison about meeting him at the club that first night and how he'd been pursuing her. She even told her about yesterday when Nick had saved Ethan from drowning. "Truth be told," Julie said. "I thought he was a pompous git the first time I met him, but he's really not so bad. The only thing is that just when I think I have him figured out, something happens that makes me wonder if I know him at all."

"What do you mean?" Allison asked.

"He knows that I'm down here every morning giving Ethan a swimming lesson," Julie explained. "And I haven't seen or heard from him since last night. I guess he didn't enjoy our date as much as I thought he did..."

"You don't know that for sure," Allison said. "Maybe he's giving you some space or something- maybe he thinks you don't want to see him so soon."

"Maybe," Julie said, with a slight smile. Jon came back their drinks and handed an ice cold soda to Allison.

"Here you go," he said, sitting back down beside her. "I'm sorry that took so long. There was a long queue."

"That's all right," Allison smiled at him. "Thank you Jon."

Jon smiled back at her. He saw that Julie had returned and he pulled an apologetic face.

"Jules? You can have my soda if you want. If I'd known you'd be back, I'd have gotten one for you as well."

"It's okay," Julie said. "I should probably get Ethan and go back to our cabin. Mum and Dad will be looking for us."

"Okay," Allison replied. "Good luck with Nick."

"Thanks," Julie said, gathering up her belongings and sticking them in her beach bag. She went down to the shore and collected Ethan.

"Come on, little man," Julie said, kneeling down beside him. "We need to get back before the parentals start asking questions."

"Okay," Ethan got up and said goodbye to Drew and Darla.

"Did you have fun today?" she asked him, as they walked back to their cabin.

Ethan nodded. "I just wish Nick would have come along."

"Me too," Julie mused. "I wonder where he's been..."

"Right here," Nick said, coming up behind them. Julie turned around and saw that he looked very exhausted. He was also wearing the same clothes she'd seen him in last night.

"Nick!" Ethan said happily.

"Hey, little man," Nick said, tussling the young boy's hair.

"We missed you this morning," Julie said, folding her arms.

"Yeah," Nick said. "I'd like to talk to you about that..." he took her arm. "Can we go for a walk or something?"

"Yeah," Julie said. "I just need to take my brother back to the cabin first."

"Okay," Nick nodded.

A few minutes later, they'd dropped Ethan back at the cabin with Lavender and set off for their walk.

"You look terrible," Julie said. "Like you haven't slept..."

"I haven't," Nick replied. "After I brought you back last night..." he told her what had happened with his mother and Ron. "And I stayed up all night to make sure she didn't fall asleep..." he shook his head as he remembered her angry, hurtful words whenever he'd make a loud noise or start talking to keep her from closing her eyes.

"Nick," she said, hugging him. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

"It's all right," Nick slid his arms around her. "Uncle Ron and I took her to the medic here this morning so I was finally able to get some sleep. That's why I wasn't by the lake this morning."

"I feel so guilty," she said, resting her head on his shoulder. "When you didn't show up this morning, I thought you'd not enjoyed our date."

"Jules," Nick rubbed his hand over her back. "That was the best time I've had in awhile."

"Me too," she agreed. "I'm sorry you had to go through that last night with your Mum. Does your dad know?"

"Don't think so," Nick said. "We haven't heard from him since we got here last week."

Julie nodded. "I'm glad Ron was there to help you."

"I don't know what I would have done without him. We were almost ready to go get your Mum and see if she knew what to do when my mum woke up."

"I'm sure your mum would have loved to see mine hovering over her," Julie said.

"That's what my uncle said," Nick smiled. "Almost wish she HAD woken up to see that. She'd certainly deserve it."

Julie laughed. "There was something I wanted to ask you. I know you're really knackered and all, but I was really hoping that tonight at dinner, you'd sit with me and my family."

"Sure," Nick replied instantly. "I'm awake now. Been sleeping since about half past nine."

"Great," Julie said happily. "My parents would like to get to know you better and you know Ethan would love it, too."

"I'm looking forward to it," Nick said. "Will I get to at least sit by you?" he teased.

"Of course," Julie said, grinning at him. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Good," Nick pulled back and stroked her cheek.

"I really like you, Nick," she said, almost shyly.

He smiled at her. "I like you a lot too..." he said softly. "I really meant that when I said it to you yesterday."

"I know," Julie said, smiling up at him. "It's really hard for me to trust someone after what happened with my last boyfriend."

He didn't want to push her but he couldn't help but be curious about what made her so distrustful of other guys. So instead Nick nodded. "I hope I'm not anything like him..."

"He let me down," Julie finally said. "And you've not done that. You've stood behind everything you've said to me so far, Nick. I appreciate that."

"I won't let you down Jules," Nick said.

"I want to believe you," she said, hugging him again.

"You can," Nick held her close.

"I should probably let you get back to your cabin," she said, reluctantly pulling away from him. "We usually eat around seven. We'll meet you in the restaurant, okay?"

"Sure," Nick held onto her hand. He wanted to kiss her again so badly but he didn't want to overstep his bounds either.

Julie took matters into her own hands when she saw his hesitation. Standing on her tiptoes, she pressed her lips to his.

Nick was overjoyed as she kissed him and he felt his hesitation fly out the window. Pulling her back into his arms, he pressed harder against her mouth.

"I'll see you tonight," she said breathlessly when they finally pulled away from each other.

"Tonight," Nick kissed the back of her hand before releasing it.

Julie grinned at him before walking back in the direction toward her cabin. She'd been so close to telling him about Ryan. The wounds from that relationship were still a bit fresh, though. She just hoped that Nick Malfoy would be the one to make all that pain go away.

*** *** ***

Chiaki knocked on the door to the Potter cabin, hoping that Julie was home. She really needed to talk to her friend and find out what was going on with her and Nick. Allie had mentioned in passing that Julie had some news for her, but wouldn't say anything more than that.

"Hi," Julie said, opening up the door. "What's going on?"

"You tell me," Chiaki said, narrowing her eyes at her best friend.

"Come on in," Julie held open the door.

"Where is everyone?" Chiaki asked, coming inside.

"Getting ready for dinner," Julie sat down on the sofa. "I'm glad you're here. I want to tell you something."

Chiaki sat down beside her and hugged her knees to her chest. "Tell me everything."

"Well..." Julie smiled slightly. "I'm sure you know that Nick and I... that we're..."

"Shagging each other like rabbits?" Chiaki suggested, laughing at how red Julie's cheeks got at this question. She couldn't resist giving her friend a hard time after she'd kept her in the dark for so long.

"No!" Julie protested. "Chiaki! I've only known him for a week! And you know I'm waiting!"

"I was only having a go at you," Chiaki said. "Come on. Spill your guts, Julie Liliane Potter."

"Well... he took me out on a date last night," Julie began. "Just to the pub over in the town. We had a really, really nice time."

Chiaki squealed. "And...?"

Julie blushed again. "Well we talked, and he was really sweet. And this time when he kissed me I didn't have to slap him afterwards." she laughed.

"This is fantastic!" Chiaki said, giggling. She hugged her friend. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Well we'll see where this goes," Julie didn't want to think too far into the future, at least not yet. "And I'm just hoping you're okay with it too."

"Of course, I am!" Chiaki said, nodding. "Nick's my brother after all and you are my very best friend in the entire world."

"Okay good," Julie said in relief. "I didn't want it to be awkward."

"It wouldn't be," Chiaki promised. "This is so great. It's just a shame that he lives in Australia and we live here."

"I know," the smile fell from Julie's face. "Guess what else. He wants me to come and see his band play down there sometime. Maybe you and I can go together."

"Absolutely," Chiaki said reassuringly. Then, it suddenly hit her that by going to Australia, she might have to see Draco Malfoy. "On second thought, maybe that's not such a great idea."

"How come?" Julie asked. "Oh... your fa- your birth father..."

"Yeah," Chiaki said, leaning back on the sofa.

"Well for what it's worth..." Julie said. "I think it takes a much bigger person to do what your father did. Your dad took you and your mum in when you both had nowhere else to do. Your birth father isn't worth anything you've got Chiaki."

Chiaki nodded and felt fresh tears welling up in her eyes. "I know that, Julie. I do. It's just so hard, you know? This man didn't even think twice about signing away any right he had to me. How could a person do that to their own child?"

"I know," Julie hugged her. "It's horrible. And if he's anything like his wife I wouldn’t be surprised. I just can't believe Nick turned out so normal. Thank goodness for his nanny."

"And thank goodness for my dad," Chiaki said, an overwhelming sense of loyalty coming over her. "My real dad."

"Exactly," Julie smiled at her.

"So, you heard that we're all eating together tonight, right?" Chiaki asked, wiping the tears from her cheek.

"What?" Julie asked.

"Everyone," Chiaki repeated. "My dad thought it would be nice if we all ate together tonight instead of splitting up like we've been doing. Why do you look like I've just told you were going in front of the firing line?"

"Well I invited Nick to eat with us all tonight. My parents wanted to get to know him better..." Julie said. "Oh well... it'll just give me an excuse to invite him again right?"

"Right," Chiaki said. "And look at it this way; if Nick can survive all of us at one time, he's definitely a keeper."

Julie smiled. "Let's hope so," she agreed.

"I'll see you tonight," Chiaki said, giving her friend another hug. "Thanks for listening to me."

"No, thank you," Julie said. "Is Toshio coming in again? Maybe we can double."

"This weekend," Chiaki said, crossing her fingers. "He promised."

"Good," Julie said. "See you in a bit."

*** *** ***

Julie walked in with her family, pushing her hair back over her shoulder. She had taken care to dress a little nicer since she knew Nick was meeting them there. Craning her neck, she tried to catch sight of him around the crowded restaurant.

"Potters," Steve came over and smiled at them. "How are we all this evening?"

"We're great, Steve," Hermione said, smiling at him.

"We're hungry!" Ethan exclaimed, causing his parents and sister to laugh right along with Steve.

"Well let's get you to your table then," Steve grinned at the young boy. "I don't want to keep you waiting!" he led them through the restaurant. "Since I heard you and Weasley and Longbottom were eating together, I set you up out here," he took them to a brand new patio he'd had put in when he bought the place.

"It's gorgeous out here," Hermione gushed, and Julie nodded in agreement, still looking for Nick.

"This is really nice," Hermione said. "And as usual we're the first to arrive."

"All thanks to you dear," Harry teased gently.

Hermione laughed as she took her seat beside Harry. Ethan sat down on the other side of Harry. Julie took a seat beside her mother and decided to save the seat beside her for Nick.

"Do we have to wait for everyone, Dad?" Ethan asked his father. "I'm really hungry."

"They're bringing out some bread Ethan." Harry laughed. "Save some for the rest of us will you?"

Ethan nodded and pulled out his crayons to occupy his time until the other guests arrived.

"So did you tell Nick that he was eating with everyone?" Hermione asked Julie.

"No," Julie said. "I didn't know until Chiaki told me."

"Oh, dear," Hermione said, shaking her head. "He's really in for it, then."

"We'll go easy on him," Harry said, winking at his daughter.

"I hope so," Julie said.

"Evening!" Ron had arrived with his family. "Where's the food?"

"Mummy said we had to wait until everyone got here," Ethan said, looking up from the picture he was drawing. "And I get first dibs on the bread, Uncle Ron."

Harry laughed at his best friend's expression. "Sorry Ronniekins, he was here first."

"Hi Josh,” Julie smiled at him as he sat down beside the empty seat she was saving for Nick. "Hey Jon; Drew." Darla was sitting down next to Ethan.

"You look really pretty tonight," Josh said, grinning shyly at Julie.

"Thanks Josh," Julie replied. "You look nice too." she was pleased to see he looked happier than he did earlier that day.

Josh beamed back at her and ignored the amused look on his brother's face.

Ron shot them both warning looks and both boys knew that this was not the night to try their father's patience.

"You look a little tired, Ron," Hermione said. "Is everything okay?"

"Fine," Ron replied. "Long story- I'll tell you both later."

Hermione and Harry exchanged a look, but decided to drop it for now. Julie looked up to see Nick, smiling at her. He looked very handsome in a white dress shirt and khaki trousers.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show," she said, smiling as he sat down beside her.

"Sorry," Nick said. "I didn't know where you all were sitting so I was wandering around inside there."

Julie laughed. "I'm sorry for not mentioning that you'd be subjected to everyone tonight..."

"Hey!" Ron exclaimed with mock indignation. "We're well-behaved, aren't we?"

Luna laughed. "Try saying that with your mouth closed while you're chewing your food, Ronald."

"Hey!" Ron's indignation was real. "Making me look bad in front of my nephew are you?"

"Don't you think he should know how you really are?" Luna asked. "Where did you get food from anyway?"

She saw that Ron had placed the basket of dinner rolls on his lap. "Ron! Were you planning on sharing those with the rest of us?" she asked, scowling at him.

"Eventually," Ron passed them to Ethan, who grabbed for it eagerly.

"So is this what I've been missing all this time?" Nick asked teasingly. "I gather my uncle has a very large appetite."

"Large doesn't cover it Nick," Harry cackled.

"I prefer to call it a healthy appetite," Ron corrected him. "And don't listen to them, Nick. They have no idea what they're talking about."

Julie laughed. "Come on, Uncle Ron. Do you remember that year you 'accidentally' ate all of our Christmas cookies?"

Drew laughed. "Or that time Daddy ate almost an entire turkey by himself!"

Ron turned a deep shade of red as everyone laughed.

"So we're just in time for taking the mickey out of Ron!" Neville was just coming out onto the patio. "Excellent!"

"Hey Al," Jon grinned. "Saved you a seat..."

Allison smiled brightly at him and sat down beside him. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Josh glaring at them, but she wasn't going to let him spoil her evening. "Thanks, Jon. You look really nice tonight."

"So do you," Jon turned a bit red.

"Well this is about it," Julie whispered to Nick. "If you can handle this... you're in."

"I think I'm doing okay so far," Nick whispered back to her. He didn't tell her that when his mother found out where he was going, she'd called him a traitor along with some other names that he couldn't repeat in polite company.

"Where's Lavender tonight?" Luna asked Hermione.

"She decided to stay by herself in the cabin," Hermione rolled her eyes. "She's been really moody since the other day. Something about trying to talk to Seamus."

"She hasn't done that yet, has she?" Luna asked. "We ran into Seamus and Summer on our way over here. They were headed into town."

"I think she tried to talk," Hermione replied. "Apparently he stopped by and it didn't go too well. I think she's depressed. I'm worried about her."

"Maybe we should have a girl’s night on the town one night," Luna suggested. "It would help cheer her up and we've not done anything like that in ages."

"That sounds like a great idea," Hermione smiled.

"Can we come along, too?" Chiaki asked. "Julie and I are now old enough, aren't we?"

"Sure," Luna replied. "I have no problem with that. Lav loves spending time with you two."

Chiaki grinned. "I asked if she'd design my dress robes. If there anything like what she did for my mum, I'm going to look radiant."

"Hello everyone!" the woman in question suddenly swept outside. "Sorry I'm late..."

"Lav?" Hermione looked at her cousin. "I thought you were staying in tonight?"

"I'm not going to let Seamus Finnigan send me into hiding," Lavender said, leaning down to peck Hermione on the cheek. "I'm going to enjoy my night with my family and my friends."

"Here! Here!" Luna said, smiling at her. "You look very nice, Lav. Is that new?"

"Why yes it is," Lavender beamed, tossing back her shoulder length hair. "Got it in town the other day."

A waiter finally came over and took their orders. Nick was enjoying himself more than he could say. Everyone was being so warm and friendly to him.

He looked over at Ethan who was still drawing a picture.

"What are you drawing little man?" Nick asked.

"A boat in the lake," Ethan said.

"I told you that you'd be loving the water before too long," Nick said, smiling at him.

"I don't.," Ethan replied quietly.

"But you've come so far with your swimming lessons," Nick said. "Julie told me you're getting..."

He saw the stricken expression on Ethan's face and his voice trailed off.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

Ethan was silent. Julie reached across the table and patted her brother's hand.

"Go ahead and tell them, Ethan," she said gently.

"I don't want to," Ethan was red faced.

"You can tell us anything, Ethan," Hermione said. "Right, Harry?"

"Of course he can," Harry replied.

"I can't tell you this, Dad," Ethan said, shaking his head. "You'll think I'm not brave like you."

"Ethan that's silly. Of course you're brave like me," Harry replied.

Ethan looked away. "No, I'm not. No one's as brave as you, Dad. I tried, but I...I'm scared of the water. That's why I didn't want to go out on the boat with you or go swimming. But, Julie's been helping me."

"Ethan, sweetheart," Hermione put an arm on her son's shoulders. "You went back in this morning didn't you?"

Ethan nodded.

"I think that's VERY brave," Hermione said gently. "To get back in even after you had some trouble."

Harry nodded in agreement. "That's very Gryffindor of you son."

"Really?" Ethan asked, hopefully.

"Absolutely," Ron chimed in.

Ethan grinned and went back to drawing his picture.

"I'm sorry," Nick whispered in Julie's ear. "I thought they knew..."

"I think you just made it all better," Julie grinned at him, squeezing his hand.

Nick smiled back at her and continued to hold her hand.

"Nick?" Harry asked. "We all know that you're a musician, but what we all want to know is how you are on a broom?"

"Um... pretty good." Nick replied.

"Can we please not have a discussion about Wonky-Feint things again?" Hermione asked, rolling her eyes.

"Wronski Feint," all the males corrected simultaneously, Nick included.

Harry grinned at Nick. "You definitely fit in, Nick."

"Good to hear," Nick laughed. "I definitely know my Quidditch. Believe it or not, I'm a big Cannons fan."

Ron looked as if he'd won the lottery. "Finally!" he crowed. "Someone who understands!"

Julie and the other ladies groaned as the conversations started flowing about Quidditch.

Nick really felt as if he was a part of it all. He wished he would have met them all sooner so he would have known their inside jokes and their stories. But, he knew that there'd be a time when he would know them all and he'd be chipping in with tales about his uncle's large appetite or about Ethan learning to swim.

The food arrived then and Ron applauded heartily. "Good service!" he boomed.

Everyone laughed. Josh picked up his silverware, but Drew bumped his arm and his fork fell to the floor. He bent down to pick it up and his heart nearly stopped when he saw that Nick was holding Julie's hand.

He couldn't help but stare for moment at their intertwined fingers, his thumb rubbing over the back of her hand. 'How could he do this?' Josh thought. 'We just met him and he's stolen Julie from me!'

"Josh?" Luna called out to her son. "Have you gotten lost down there?"

"No," Josh turned red. "Couldn't find my fork."

"When are Maddie and R.J. getting here?" Cho asked Ron. When she saw that he was concentrating on eating, she rolled her eyes and laughed. "Luna, when are Maddie and R.J. coming? I haven't seen R.J. since he was born."

"End of next week," Luna shook her head at her husband, who was frantically shoving everything he could in his mouth at once. "I can't wait to see them again."

"That's if Molly and Arthur let them go," Cho said, with a laugh.

"I think by then they'll be ready," Luna laughed. "Maddie and R.J. are your other cousins," she turned to Nick. "Maddie's four, and Ron Jr.'s only a year old."

"You mean there's more of you normally?" Nick asked, wide eyed.

Luna laughed. "Yes, If you think this is a crowd, just wait until you have Christmas dinner at the Burrow."

"Sounds mad," Nick grinned. "Can't wait."

"Don't eat anything Uncle Fred and Uncle George offer you," Drew said, grimacing.

Darla nodded. "And they won't go easy on you just because you're new, either."

"Who are they again?" Nick asked.

"They're my uncles," Jon replied. "They own joke shops called Weasley Wizard Wheezes." he looked over at his father. "My dad manages all the shops in Ireland where we live."

"And you can't trust them," Luna chimed in. "They've even tried out a few things on R.J. and he's just a baby."

"What sort of things do they do?" Nick asked.

Julie laughed. "Anything and everything. They once gave me some bubblegum that made me cluck like a chicken for a week."

Nick laughed. "I'd have paid to see that." he teased.

"They're relentless," Julie said. Everyone at the table had their own Fred and George story that they shared with Nick.

Lavender was laughing right along with the rest of them when she saw through the glass window a familiar person yelling at Steve. It couldn't be him, she thought.

Hermione caught her cousin's glance. "What is it?" she asked.

"Is that...?" she asked, but her voice trailed off as Draco Malfoy had stormed out onto the patio, glaring at all of them.

Nick, who'd been laughing at another story, felt the smile slip off his face as his father strode towards him. "What are you doing here?" he asked, shocked.

"That's the exact same question I was about to ask you!" Draco retorted angrily. "Associating with these...people."

"My family, you mean?" Nick stood up.

Draco laughed. "Your family? You think these people are your family?"

Chiaki stared in disbelief at the tall, blonde man. She felt her father put a hand on her shoulder, but she couldn't move, couldn't speak.

Harry glared at his archenemy. "Get out of here Malfoy," he said in a low, tense voice.

"Oh, yes," Draco said, glaring at Harry. "Saint Potter."

He turned his attention to Hermione. "And you...what on earth did you have to do to become Minister, Mudblood? Marrying Potter must have done it for you, eh?"

Nick was so angry as he stood up. "What do you want?" he asked angrily- Harry looked ready to punch his father's lights out, as did Ron and Neville.

Julie stood up as well and put a hand on Nick's arm.

Draco saw this and laughed even harder. "Your mother has so much explaining to do it's not even funny. She takes you here and the next thing I know; you're associating with these people and shagging the Mudblood's daughter."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by his shirt collar. "That's enough," he said through clenched teeth. "You do NOT insult my wife and my daughter do you understand me."

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME, POTTER!" Malfoy yelled.

"Get the fuck out of here Malfoy," Harry said his tone dark. "You're not welcome."

"I'm not going anywhere without my son," Draco said, wrenching himself free from Harry's grasp.

"Now, I'm your son?" Nick asked in disbelief.

"Nick's not going anywhere," Ron said, standing up. "And I don't appreciate you saying what you did in front of the children."

"Children?" Malfoy asked, looking around. "Ah, yes. Breeding like your poor Mum and Dad are you, Weasley?"

"That's none of your business," Ron's face was as red as his hair.

"And Lavender Brown," Draco said coldly. "Look at you. Are you the only one not married? I'll let you in on a little secret, no bloke's going to wait around for you..."

Lavender's lip trembled. "You're not worth anything I'd have to say," her voice was cold. "At least I would treat my own children better than you've treated Nick."

Draco turned his attention back to his son. "Been telling them stories, have you? About your poor, lonely childhood?"

"All thanks to you," Nick said. "Why don’t you go see Mum? Maybe you can bring her back out of her drunken stupor you've put her in."

"I would," Draco said icily. "But I don't know which cabin the two of you are in. Van Ark wouldn't tell me."

"Sixteen," Nick replied coolly. "I'm sure you can find the way yourself," he sat back down.

"Nicholas..." Draco said, staring at his son. "I'm not leaving you here!"

"You left me a long time ago," Nick replied.

"Leave, Malfoy," Harry ordered. "Now."

"Don't order me around Potter," Draco snapped.

Harry rounded on him again and Draco just sneered in his face.

"Come now, Potter," Draco said. "You don't want to embarrass Minister Mudblood, do you?"

"That is enough, Malfoy." Hermione said her voice cold and tight. "Before I hex you into oblivion you'd best get out of here."

"I'd like to see you try," Draco spat back at her. "You know, Granger...they can put you in the highest office. They can even bow down at your feet, but at the end of the day, you're just another Mud..."

Malfoy didn't get a chance to finish his sentence as Harry's fist slammed into Draco's jaw. Malfoy fell back onto the floor.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I don't care," Harry said his green eyes dark.

Ron glared at the blond lying on the floor. "Get out of here Malfoy before I give you a shiner to match that jaw." he felt bad for his nephew, who had his head in his hands.

Draco stumbled to his feet, clutching his jaw.

"You'll pay for this, Potter," he said angrily. With one last glare at his son, Malfoy walked away.

"Tell me one I haven't heard before!" Harry shouted after him.

"Nick...," Julie said, wanting to comfort him, but he held up a hand.

"Why is he here?" he asked angrily.

"I don't know," Julie said, wishing she knew the right thing to say.

"Chiaki?" Neville asked his daughter. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Chiaki shook her head. "That... that… that can't be my father." How could she be related to someone so awful?

Nick couldn't believe this had just happened. His father had just shown up out of the blue and come in here and ruined their perfectly good evening. And hearing what Chiaki had just said, Nick felt even more terrible.

"Thank you for the evening," Nick said, pushing back from his chair. "I'm...sorry."

"Nick...," Ron called out to his nephew, but Nick had already walked away.

Julie got up and left the table. "Nick!" she called, running after him.

"Go back to your family, Jules," Nick said, not even bothering to turn around and look at her. "Just leave me alone, okay?"

"No," Julie grabbed his arm. "It's not okay. That wasn't your fault back there!"

Nick stopped walking. "If I hadn't been there, he wouldn't have come, Jules! He said those horrible things about everyone...you, your parents, my uncle. That's what he does! That's what he's always done! And I brought that back for all of you tonight."

"How do you know that?" Julie asked, forcing him to turn around. "How do you know he wouldn't have come out there to belittle everyone?"

"I don't," Nick admitted. "But I still feel bad, especially about Chiaki. She's heard stories about him, but you don't really know what dear, old dad is like until you see him up close and personal."

"Chiaki's going to be just fine," Julie said. "Sure, it's a tough situation, and I know I can't imagine what it's like, but she's got a wonderful family who loves her. Just like you now have family who loves you..."

"You think they're going to want me around after that?" Nick asked.

"Of course they do," Julie looked flabbergasted. "Nick no one holds you responsible for what your parents have said and done."

Nick nodded. He took her in his arms and hugged her tightly. "I'm so sorry, Julie. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry Nick," Julie hugged him back. "You've nothing to be sorry for, nothing at all."

"I just don't want you to hate me," he said, burying his face in her shoulder.

"I can't hate you Nick," Julie stroked his hair.

"You can't?" he asked, staring into her green eyes.

"No," Julie said, staring back. He really had gorgeous eyes; they were grey but as he looked down at her, filled with warmth.

He pulled her even closer and kissed her, softly at first, but deepening the kiss when she wrapped her arms around his neck.

She felt his need for closeness as she wound her arms around him. Julie felt his tongue line around her lips and she opened them, tasting Nick Malfoy for the first time.

"Julie," he breathed, reluctantly pulling away from her.

"What?" she asked dazedly.

"I don't deserve you," he said, looking away.

"What makes you say that?" Julie asked.

"I don't know," he said, still holding her hand. "I don't want to let you go though. I care about you more than I've cared about anyone."

Julie felt a surge of butterflies in her stomach at his words. "I care about you too," she said softly. "And I don't want you to let me go."

He smiled down at her. They kissed again and when Nick asked if she'd take a walk with him, she didn't hesitate. "I just want to know why he decided to come now," Nick asked, kicking up some dirt in frustration. "Everything was going fine, you know?"

"Too good I guess," Julie agreed. "People always have a way of turning up when you don't want to see them."

"But he's never shown up for anything where I was concerned," Nick said. "He missed my graduation. He's never come to any of my gigs. Nothing."

"Sounds as if he's here more for your Mum," Julie said, carefully choosing her words.

"I don't even know why the two of them even had a child," Nick said morosely. "You couldn't find two more selfish people if you tried. They only remember they have a son when its convenient or beneficial for them."

"I'm glad they did," Julie looked up at him. "Otherwise I'd be walking out here by myself..." she attempted to lighten the mood a bit.

Nick let out a slight laugh. "You're so lucky, Julie. You and Ethan, you have parents that love and care about you. Did you hear your parents tonight when they were talking to Ethan about swimming? My parents would never do something like that. Never."

Julie felt horrible for him. She couldn't imagine what life would be like without her parents around or being as horrible as Draco and Ginny were to Nick. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "I wish there was something I could do for you."

"But you have, Julie," Nick said softly. "You're here with me now. That's what I need."

Julie smiled at him. "Anything else I can do?"

He grinned, wrapping his arms around her. "Two things, really. First, you could give me a kiss. And two, you could let me walk you back to your cabin."

"How about three things?" Julie asked slyly.

"Three?" he asked.

"One, I kiss you, two, I let you walk me back, and three, that you stick around for awhile so we can do what we originally planned for this evening- you can talk to my parents so you can all get to know each other better."

"I'd like that," he said softly, touching her cheek. "I'd like that quite a bit actually."

"Good," Julie wound her arms back around his neck.

He leaned down and kissed her again. As he let himself relax into the kiss, he couldn't help wondering what was the real reason his father had come to Hillsdale and what it would mean for his relationship with Julie.

10. I'm Only Happy When it Rains

A/N: Here’s one for you D/G fans out there- they don’t get the WHOLE chapter but things finally start to iron out between them a bit ;) And of course… one person that everyone dislikes is leaving as well. Haha!

Thanks again for all your support and as always, let us know what you think!

I’m Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage

I’m only happy when it rains
I’m only happy when it’s complicated
And though I know you can’t appreciate it
I’m only happy when it rains

Ginny was lying on her bed, trying to get some sleep when she heard loud pounding on the door. Nick probably forgot his keys, Ginny thought angrily, stumbling to her feet. She'd had a few drinks to calm her nerves, but she wasn't nearly as bad as she'd been last night.

The knocking persisted and Ginny groaned as she made her way toward the door. It would serve Nicholas right if she didn't let him inside after the way he'd behaved. "I'm coming," she called back angrily.

Draco pounded harder on the door. "Come on," he called, his voice angry and sarcastic.

Ginny fumbled with the lock and swung the door open. She rubbed her eyes. "Draco?" she asked weakly.

"Ginevra," her husband returned coldly. "What the FUCK have you been letting Nicholas do?"

He breezed past her into the cabin and Ginny slammed the door behind him.

"I beg your pardon?" she asked him. "What I'VE been letting him do?"

"Well it's not as if I've been around," Draco dropped his bags on the floor.

"You've not been around for weeks," Ginny reminded him. "And what the hell are you doing here now?" She was hurt that he hadn't even noticed the bandage on her forehead.

Draco shrugged, too angry right now to admit he missed her. "Business lightened up."

"What happened to your jaw?" she asked, trying not to sound as if she cared.

"I ran into some old friends of ours while trying to find out what fucking cabin you're in." Draco rubbed it gently. "Fucking Potter and your brother."

"Those people were never our friends," Ginny said angrily. "They've managed to turn Nicholas against us. And that mousy Granger thinks she's so superior."

"Tell me about it," Draco snorted. "A Mudblood as the Minister for Magic. Thank Merlin we got the fuck out of there before that happened."

Ginny nodded and was about to tell him everything that had happened since she'd arrived, but she remembered she was supposed to be mad at him. "So," she said, folding her arms. "Who was it this time? The blonde bimbo that lives two doors down? Or was it that mediwitch from your practise?"

Draco raised an eyebrow. "What the fuck are you talking about?" he asked.

"The tart you've been seeing behind my back!" she retorted.

"Bloody hell Ginny, how many times do I have to tell you that I DON'T CHEAT!" Draco snapped, still holding his jaw.

"Then where have you been?" she asked him, shoving him. "Where have you been, huh? Don't even try and tell me you were working. You're not that dedicated, you pompous arse!"

"Where the hell do you think we get the money to live like we do?" Draco shot back. "Not from sitting on my arse!"

Ginny laughed. "You never come home anymore, Draco. What was I supposed to think? This would never have happened if I'd married Ha..."

"What?" Draco was angrier than she'd ever seen him. "You think your fucking life would be so great if you had married Potter?"

"You're damn right I do!" she shot back. She didn't really mean that, but she'd wanted to hurt him just as he'd hurt her.

Instead of getting angrier, Draco only laughed. "Right," he snorted. "Perfect Potter- he'd have had you eating out of his hand. His lapdog, his servant. That is, if he even gave you the time of day. He never did like you much, did he Ginny?"

"HE DID SO!" Ginny yelled at him. "He would have been MINE if that Mudblood hadn't come around!"

"No he wouldn't have and you know it," Draco said scornfully.

Ginny sank back down onto the sofa, defeated.

"I needed you and you weren't there for me, Draco," she said softly. "You haven't been there for me in quite some time."

Draco looked at her, unsure of her intentions. "I didn't know you needed me," he finally uttered.

"Of course I did!" Ginny exclaimed. "I do. You're my fucking husband! You're supposed to be here for me."

"Why do you think I came, dammit?" Draco asked. "Not to fucking get punched by Potter!"

"I don't know why you came," she said softly. "Enlighten me."

"If you want to know the truth," Draco began testily. "I missed you all right? So I traded off some of my shifts and came here."

Ginny smiled as he sat down beside her. She scooted closer to him on the sofa. "You missed me?" she asked, fingering his shirt collar.

"Yeah," Draco replied. "I did."

She touched his cheek. "Does it hurt?"

"Fuck yes it does," Draco replied.

"I could kiss it and make it better," she said huskily, now sitting on his lap.

"I can heal it and then you could kiss me," Draco replied.

"What if I don't want to wait?" she purred.

"I'm not stopping you." he said.

She smiled before kissing him hungrily. It had been way too long since they'd been together.

"I really did miss you," Draco said when they pulled apart.

"Show me," Ginny said.

"Wait," Draco got his wand and pointed it at his jaw. "There..." he pulled her on top of him.

"Good as new," she whispered, touching his cheek.

"Are you ready to make me feel all better?" Draco asked.

"More than you know," she said throatily. She still had her doubts about his faithfulness, but it didn't matter now. He was here. He'd missed her. For now, that was enough.

*** *** ***

"Mummy," Ethan said later that evening as his parents were tucking him into bed after Nick had left and Julie was taking a shower. "Who was that mean man at dinner and why doesn't he like Nick?"

Hermione and Harry exchanged concerned looks. They'd not said anything to their son about what had happened and had naively thought that Ethan wouldn't ask.

"He's someone we used to know a long time ago," Hermione said, choosing her words carefully. "And he's Nick's father."

"But he's not like you Daddy," Ethan replied.

"No, little man, he's not like me at all," Harry said, smiling at his son.

"That's good," Ethan snuggled under his covers. "I didn't like him."

"I'm sorry you had to see him," Hermione said with a sigh. "He said some really mean things to everyone tonight. You shouldn't have had to hear that, Ethan."

"He called you that same thing that Nick's mummy called Julie." Ethan said.

Hermione nodded. "Unfortunately, it's probably not the last time you'll ever hear me called that, Ethan. There are some really close-minded people out there who think they're better than everyone else because they're what people call pure-blood."

"I still love you Mummy," Ethan grinned impishly at her. "No matter what everyone else says."

Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes as she smiled lovingly at her son. She hugged him tightly. "Thank you, sweetheart. I love you, too."

"Hey little man, tomorrow you want me and your mum to help you out with your swimming?" Harry asked, tousling his son's messy hair.

Ethan nodded. "I can show you how much better I'm doing!"

"That's right," Harry grinned. "Good night little man."

Ethan yawned as he lay his head down on the pillow. "Good night, Daddy. Good night, Mummy."

Hermione turned off Ethan's lamp and walked quietly out of the room.

Harry grinned at her as he closed the door quietly. "He's being extra sweet because he thinks your feelings were hurt."

"He gets that from you," Hermione said softly.

"Aye," Harry wound his arms around her. "We both know how to make you feel better."

"That you do," she said, kissing him. "I still wish you hadn't have hit Malfoy, Harry."

"He deserved it Hermione," Harry said. "He would have dragged Nick out of there but not before insulting everyone else."

"I know he did, but I don't want Ethan thinking violence is the answer for everything," Hermione said, but she broke out into a smile. "But I did like you sticking up for me..."

"I'll explain to him about me hitting Malfoy," Harry said. "And as for sticking up for you... it comes with the job." he grinned mischievously.

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Oh, it does? Well, what else comes with the job?"

"This," Harry gently brushed his lips over hers. "And this..." he picked her up easily in his arms.

"You're really quite good at the job," she teased. "You may need a promotion."

"And who's going to give me that promotion?" Harry asked huskily. "What does this promotion entitle me to?"

Hermione was still giggling as he brought her into the bedroom. She used her leg to kick the door shut behind them. He set her down on the bed and she pulled him down on top of her. "I think I'm more than qualified to give you that promotion and I think you're about to find out what that promotion will entitle you to..."

"Fantastic," Harry sealed his mouth over hers.

*** *** ***

Nearly everyone had left the restaurant. Cho had decided to go back to the cabin with Frankie and Allie and Neville had a quick word with Steve, apologizing for what had happened. Neville went back outside to grab his jacket and was quite surprised to see Chiaki was still sitting there.

"Chiaki?" Neville asked. "Sweetheart, I thought you went back to the cabin with your mum and sisters?"

Chiaki jumped. "Sorry," she said. "I just got a little lost in thought is all..."

Neville nodded and sat down beside her. "Are you okay?"

Chiaki shrugged. "Aside from seeing... him... for the first time? I guess..."

"I know you've heard stories about him, but you never really know how he really is until you see him up close," Neville said, shaking his head. "I wish you didn't have to see that, Chiaki."

"I would have had to sooner or later right?" she asked. "It's not that I want to get to know him- I don't. But he didn't even acknowledge me, much less even look at me. I guess it hurts a little more than I thought to see how easily I can be forgotten."

Neville wished he knew what to say. He, for one, was glad Draco Malfoy, hadn't looked at his daughter. If Malfoy had dared to utter one cross word at Chiaki or to Cho, Neville would have beaten him to within an inch of his life.

"I'm sorry Dad," Chiaki apologised. "I meant what I said when we first got here- you're the best, and you really are my only father, and the only person I'd call a father."

"You don't have to apologise," Neville said. "This isn't your fault. None of it is. And you are my daughter. My oldest daughter and you are just as much mine as Allie or Frankie. Draco Malfoy doesn't deserve someone as wonderful and lovely as you in his life, Chiaki."

"Thanks," Chiaki hugged him tightly.

"I don't know how long he'll be here, Chiaki," Neville said, hugging her back. "I imagine we haven't seen or heard the last of him, though. Especially after tonight."

"I know," Chiaki said. "I hope I don't have to see him. I feel really sorry for Nick though. He's actually had to live with him."

"Aye," Neville nodded. "But at least Nick turned out as well as he did."

"That's a relief," Chiaki smiled at her dad as they left the restaurant. "He and Julie are seeing each other."

"Harry mentioned that," Neville said putting an arm around her.

"He really seems to like her a lot," Chiaki replied.

"I hope it works out for them," Neville said. "But it won't be easy. Especially with Malfoy here."

"Maybe they'll try and keep it a secret," Chiaki suggested.

Neville wasn't really sure if that was such a great idea, either. For one thing, he knew that if this were to become serious and Malfoy found out about it, he'd stop at nothing to put an end to it. Neville didn't really know Nick all that well, but he did like him. As for Julie, Neville thought of her like another daughter. He only hoped that this wouldn't end up badly for either of them.

"Maybe," was all Neville finally said.

"I really didn't mean to make you feel bad back there Dad," Chiaki said as they came to their cabin.

"You didn't," Neville reassured her.

"Okay good," Chiaki hugged him.

He kissed her cheek. "Good night, my little girl."

"Night," Chiaki smiled at him. "Toshio's coming back to visit in a couple of days."

"Is he now?" Neville asked her. "You going to allow him to spend time with the rest of us as well, or are you going to keep him all to yourself?"

Chiaki giggled. "I guess that depends on how long he can stay this time. Hopefully overnight at least."

Neville nodded and watched as she disappeared behind her bedroom door. He had a really bad feeling about Draco Malfoy's arrival at Hillsdale. After all these years, Malfoy still had a knack for showing up and messing things up just when things were going so well.

*** *** ***

Seamus rode silently alongside Summer as they headed for the local airport. They had received a call that morning stating that Summer was needed back in LA as soon as possible, as there was a possible problem concerning her part in a new film that was coming out. She'd packed quickly and even though Seamus couldn't get thoughts of Lavender out of his head, he went along to say goodbye.

"I'm sorry that our vacation is being cut short," Summer said, resting her head on his shoulder. "We were having such a great time, weren't we? But, don't you worry, Shamy. Hopefully, I'll be back before you have time to miss me."

"That's good to hear," he said absently.

"I wish I had the chance to say goodbye to your friends," Summer said wistfully. "I hope they don't think I'm rude for just running out like this."

"They'll understand," Seamus assured her. "Hermione works in the government so she has to run out all the time."

"She must be a real brain, huh?" Summer asked. "Working in the government and all..."

"Yeah she's pretty smart," Seamus replied.

"You know, I think you should have them out to visit us in Los Angeles," she said. "They are your oldest friends after all and this is the first time I've had the chance to meet them. And your friends would love Los Angeles, don't you think?"

"Um... maybe." Seamus said, thinking of how Lavender would LOVE LA- it was just her style.

They pulled into the airport and despite the fact that it was late at night and the chance that there would be any paparazzi present was zero to none, Summer turned the overhead light on in the car and pulled her compact from her bag. She checked her makeup and frowned. "Why didn't you tell me that my lipstick was smudged?"

"I didn't notice," Seamus said. "It looks fine."

"Smudged lipstick is not fine," Summer said huffily. "Honestly, you men do not understand anything about beauty. I really am thinking about having collagen injections for my lips. They're not as full as I'd like."

"Don't jump on the plastic surgery bandwagon Summer," Seamus said a bit scornfully.

"It's nothing major," Summer said defensively. "It's just my lips, Seamus. Besides, everyone's having it done."

"Right," Seamus replied.

"Do you know who has really great lips?" Summer asked. "Your friend Lavender. She really does. And great bone structure. She could do something with her hair, of course."

"There's nothing wrong with her hair," Seamus said defensively. "It used to be a lot longer than that."

"I just think she could do something more to it," Summer explained. "It might look good curly, don't you think?"

"I don't know," Seamus said, baffled.

Summer giggled. "I don't even know why I bother talking to you about fashion or beauty. It goes in one ear and out the other. "

"Exactly," Seamus said.

The driver parked the car and held the door open for them.

"Don't worry about getting out," she said, smiling at him. "We had a busy afternoon and I know you're tired. It's enough for me that you wanted to see me off. Why don't you go on back and get some rest? I'll call you when I get back to L.A."

"All right," Seamus dutifully kissed her goodbye. "I'm sure you'll get everything straightened out."

"I will," Summer said, winking at him. "And you behave yourself, Seamus Finnigan!"

"I always do," Seamus grinned back at her.

"No, you don't," she teased. "And for that I'm very, very glad."

Seamus watched her go, unsure of how he felt about her leaving. He felt guilty thinking about Lavender while he was with Summer but it was almost like he couldn't help himself. Away from LA, he felt like he had less in common with Summer. The ride back to Hillsdale was silent except for Seamus thanking the driver when he got back. He decided to go for a walk to try and calm his thoughts.

Lavender was too keyed up from the encounter with Draco Malfoy to even attempt sleep. She'd gone back to visit with Luna and Ron after dinner and she was now on her way back to her own cabin. She hoped Hermione was still awake so they could talk. She saw a familiar brown-haired man walking her way and she nearly stopped in her tracks.

"Seamus?" she called out uncertainly.

He spun around. "Hi Lavender," he said.

"What are you doing out so late?" she asked. She stopped herself from making a snide comment about him going out for another midnight swim with his girlfriend. She hadn't seen him since he'd kissed her and she supposed she'd been avoiding him.

"I uh... I had to drop Summer off at the airport. She had to fly back to LA tonight for a movie role." he replied.

"Oh," Lavender said, surprised. "You didn't go with her?"

"No, they just wanted her." Seamus shrugged.

Lavender nodded, suddenly feeling quite uncomfortable. She didn't really know what to say, but then she figured he ought to know who had shown up tonight.

"You missed all the fireworks tonight," she told him. "You'll never guess in a million years who showed their face here tonight."

"Well..." Seamus said as they began to walk together. "When you say fireworks, my guess would have to be Malfoy..."

"Yes! Can you believe it?" she asked him. "We were all having a nice dinner when out of the blue, he walks out and starts yelling at Nick and calling Hermione that awful name. He practically went around the table insulting all of us..."

"Why would either of them even show up?" Seamus asked.

"I have no idea," Lavender said thoughtfully. "It's about as ridiculous as me showing at your wedding to Spring or Summer or Fall." When she saw the look on his face, she felt guilty. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

Seamus shook his head. "Why do you hate Summer so much?" he asked. "Is it because she has something you want?"

"No," Lavender said quickly. "It's because she's all wrong for you, Seamus."

"And how would you know?" Seamus asked sharply.

"Because I used to know you," she said looking at him. "And while we're asking each other questions, why on earth did you kiss me the other night?"

"I knew you'd bring that up," Seamus said. "I don't know why I did. Was it that awful for you or something?"

"No," she replied. "It just confused me is all."

"Well YOU confuse me," Seamus replied.

"What?" Lavender asked. "How do I confuse you?"

"You claimed to love me. You said you trusted me. I still admit what happened looked awful- no don't interrupt!" Seamus held up a hand. "It looked awful and if the roles had been reversed I'd have been angry too. But I'd at least have given you the chance to explain what was going on."

"It was pretty obvious what had happened between you and Lola," Lavender said, her nose crinkling up in disgust as she said Lola's name. "I didn't need you to explain what I had seen with my own two eyes! I knew she had been after you from the start!"

"Lola was a lesbian Lavender!" Seamus finally snapped.

"I really don't need to hear..." she started to say, but her words trailed off as she tried to comprehend what he'd just said. "Pardon me? Did you just say she was a...lesbian?"

"Yeah," Seamus said shortly. "She liked other women. She actually thought you were quite cute, as a matter of fact," his tone turned a bit snide.

"She did?" Lavender asked, flattered. Remembering the situation they were discussing, she remembered she was supposed to be mad. "Are you sure she was a lesbian, Seamus? Why was she in your flat in nothing but her knickers?"

He exhaled. "Do you recall that I lived in a Muggle building? The heat? You complained about it too, remember?"

"Yeah," Lavender said with a shrug. She didn't really see what this had to do with anything. "Are you saying that the two of you took your clothes off because of the heat? Because that seems a bit far-fetched, Seamus."

When she saw how serious he looked, she wondered if what he was saying was the truth.

"You're not lying, are you?" she asked weakly.

"I never lied about that," Seamus avoided looking at her.

"Oh," was all Lavender could say. If she'd have just listened to him...

"But why were you spending so much time with her?" Lavender complained. "You were cancelling dates to be with her, Seamus! What else was I supposed to think!'

"You should have trusted me!" Seamus finally faced her. "I loved you- I would have never cheated on you. I was up front about my feelings from the start!"

"Yes, but," Lavender stammered. "You...you left. You didn't stick around and fight for me!"

"Would that have made a difference?" Seamus asked bitterly. "You told me you never wanted to see me again. I came home and all your things were gone from my flat. I tried to ring you, owl you, even go over and see you and you refused me every time. Then I got an offer to work in Hollywood so I left."

Lavender remembered how he'd come over to her aunt and uncle's house trying to see her and she'd told him that if he didn't leave she was going to have him arrested. She remembered burning the owl post he sent to her. She even remembered slamming the telephone down when he called.

"I'm sorry," Lavender finally said, feeling that it couldn't even begin to express how she felt about this. They'd lost so many years because she'd been so stubborn.

Seamus shrugged. Part of him wanted her to see how it felt like to be pushed away but the other part warned him to be more mature than that. "Yeah..." he finally said.

"Where do we go from here?" she asked softly.

Seamus didn't know whether or not to confess about him proposing to her before their break up. "I'm not sure," he said. "I'm not sure if we can fix this back up."

"Maybe we could work on being friends again at least?" Lavender suggested hopefully. "It was because of me that you stayed away from everyone, Seamus."

"I guess..." Seamus replied. "That might be nice."

"So how do we go about doing that?" she asked him.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Stop going at each other's throats for a start, I suppose."

Lavender laughed. "I suppose I could do that. And I promise not to make fun of your girlfriend or make anymore rude or snide remarks."

"Thank you," Seamus replied. "And if Malfoy tries to start anything with you tell me."

Lavender frowned. "Well, he sort of already did."

"What did he say?" Seamus asked,

"He said something smart about me being the only one unmarried at the table," Lavender explained. "Little does he know, I've actually been married twice...but they don't really count."

"I can't believe you were married twice," Seamus said. "And how do they not count?"

Lavender blushed. "They were both annulled actually. One I can blame on temporary insanity and the other can be blamed on way too much alcohol."

"How long did they last?" Seamus asked, remembering his and Neville's conversation.

"Not very long," Lavender said evasively. "It's not really important is it? Wait just a minute! You knew, didn't you?"

He shrugged. "I heard a few rumours," he said evasively.

"Well, just promise me you won't join in with the others to tease me about it," Lavender said sternly. "Harry and Hermione are relentless about it. Don't even get me started on Ron."

Seamus laughed. "Well it is sort of funny..." he began.

She swatted at his arm playfully. "It is not funny! It's quite embarrassing really."

"Why'd you do it then?" he couldn't resist asking,

Lavender considered his question a long time before she finally answered him.

"I've asked myself that same question so many times. I think I was trying to find what you and I used to have. But, I guess you're not lucky enough to find that kind of love twice, right?"

Seamus was silent for a good minute or so. "Not usually, no..."

"And I guess I've been around Neville and Cho, and Ron and Luna, and Harry and Hermione," Lavender continued. "And I just want what they have. I'd like to have my own family someday, too."

"Yeah," Seamus wanted that as well but didn't vocalise it.

"It's getting late," Lavender said reluctantly. She was enjoying talking to him like this. She'd missed it. If she was being honest with herself, she missed him, too. "I was on my back to my cabin when I ran into you."

"Yeah, I was just taking a short walk before turning in," Seamus replied.

"For what it's worth, Seamus," Lavender said softly. "I really am sorry for not giving you the chance to explain all those years ago. More sorry than you know."

Seamus nodded. "Maybe now... we'll get it all in the open." he said.

"I'd like that," she said, extending her hand. "Friends?"

"Friends," Seamus shook it. 'And sooner, I hope more.'

"Good night, Seamus," Lavender whispered.

*** *** ***

The next morning, Draco and Ginny were relaxing on the sofa in the sitting room of their cabin. Draco was still dressed in his pyjama bottoms and Ginny was wearing a red silk dressing gown. Things were still somewhat tense between them, but Ginny felt they were well on their way to getting back to normal.

They'd decidedto order in their breakfast to avoid running into the others. Ginny had just poured herself another cup of coffee when she heard the front door slam.

"Nicholas, is that you?" Ginny called out.

Nick had hoped his parents would still be asleep. "Yes," he answered.

"Where were you last night, sweetheart?" Ginny asked sweetly. "Your father and I were worried when we woke up this morning and you weren't here."

"I'm sure you were really worried," Nick said sarcastically.

"That's no way to talk to your mother," Draco lectured him. "Especially after the way you acted last night. Associating with those blood-traitors and Mudbloods."

"Like you care," Nick shot back. "That's the first time in my whole bloody life you've shown any interest in what I was doing."

"We do care, Nicholas," Ginny said. "I know you don't know this, but who you associate with and how you conduct your life reflects on us as your parents. We don't want you giving anyone the wrong idea."

His parents were such fucking snobs, Nick thought. "I don't care how it reflects on you. Fact of the matter is, I finally met some family members that actually care about me."

"If you're talking about Ron and that ditzy Luna Lovegood," Ginny began. "They've always had it out for me, Nicholas. Especially Luna. And you'd think she'd be more kind to me considering for a time there, I was her only friend at school."

"Why so you could steal her moneybag?" Nick snorted disdainfully. "I'm going to change."

"I see they wasted no time in filling you in about that, did they?" Draco called out to him.

"I actually found out on my own," Nick said. "And you're worried about ME embarrassing you?"

"Those new friends and family you're so proud of, Nicholas?" Draco asked coldly. "I'll have you know that they set your mother and me up to take the fall for something that Saint Potter's cousin came up with. Ginny's own brother set her up, Nicholas. What do you think about that?"

"I'd say you deserved it," Nick stared evenly at his father.

Draco shook his head and laughed. "Your last name is Malfoy, Nicholas. Not Wesley. You'd do well to remember that."

"Like you've ever made me feel like I belong," Nick retorted.

Ginny stood up from the sofa and stood between her husband and son. "Okay, okay. Nicholas, I know you're upset. But, we're together now, okay? Why don't you just come and sit down and have some breakfast with us?"

"I already ate," Nick replied. "With my uncle, and my aunt. And my cousins."

"Were Minister Mudblood and Saint Potter there, too?" Draco asked sarcastically.

"So what if they were?" Nick asked defensively. They had, in fact, not been there but his parents didn’t need to know that.

"You listen to me, Nicholas," Draco said coolly. "If you want to catch up with your aunt and uncle that's fine. At the very least, you'll see how the poor, destitute people live. But, if I hear that you've been hanging around Potter and his family..."

"What will you do?" Nick challenged.

"Greta is getting on up there in years, isn't she?" Draco asked innocently. He knew that if there was one weak spot for his son, it was Greta. "I'd hate for something to happen to her, wouldn't you? After all, you always said she was like a mother to you."

Nick narrowed his eyes. "Why do you use someone innocent to blackmail me," he began coolly. "You keep this between us. You've always hated how I've been and what I do with my life and now you're trying to dictate who I can socialize with."

"Socialize with whomever you want, Nicholas. But, I am drawing the line at Potter, the Mudblood and those brats he calls children," Draco said angrily.

"Will you stop using that word!" Nick shouted.

"It's what she is," Draco said with a shrug. "Would you prefer I used know-it-all bitch? Because, she is that as well."

Ginny laughed. "I'm quite fond of that one, love."

"You two are pathetic," Nick stared at his parents in disgust. "Because you're hanging onto a situation where YOU were both in the wrong. I don't want to be associated with IT or YOU!" he turned and stomped into his bedroom.

"Do you see?" Ginny asked her husband. "Do you see what I've had to put up with?"

"He's been bloody hexed or brainwashed," Draco stared at the place where his son had been standing.

"He's been seeing the Potters' daughter," Ginny pointed out. "He took her out on a date the other night. I think all of this is some vain effort of his to impress her."

"That's disgusting," Draco's lip curled up.

"Now that you're here," Ginny said, wrapping her arms around his waist. "I think that'll stop."

"It better," Draco said grimly. "I'll not have anyone with MY blood running through them associating with the likes of them."

"We'll just have to keep a better eye on him," Ginny said, nodding in agreement with her husband.

"Right," Draco said, setting his arm around her.

"And in the meantime," Ginny said mischievously. "We can have a bit of fun with our old 'friends', can't we?"

"How do you mean?" Draco smiled at her.

"You remember how Potter hates the media attention he gets, right?" Ginny asked him. "Apparently, no one knows where they really are at the moment. What if we had some photographers show up and mess up their little family holiday?"

Draco's smile turned into a grin. "This is why I married you," he said, leaning in for a kiss.

"Are you sure that's the only reason?" she asked teasingly.

"It's one of several," Draco ran his fingers through her silky red hair.

"And you know, you and I are okay by ourselves," she said, nipping playfully at his neck. "But together, we're unstoppable."

"Exactly..." Draco pulled her over on top of him.

Ginny didn't know what was turning her on more at the moment. The idea that they'd finally have one up on the Potters or what her husband was doing to her at the moment. Ginny hadn't felt this good in a long time.

"It's all because of you," she whispered in Draco's ear. "All because of you."

"What is?" he asked.

"The reason why I'm so happy," she answered.

Draco kissed her again. "Good," he said huskily.

*** *** ***

Things were a bit quiet between all of them the next morning as they got dressed for the day. Lavender was thinking about her conversation with Seamus, Harry and Hermione were deep in thought about what Malfoy showing up meant, Julie was pondering what would happen between her and Nick and Ethan was just worried that he would make a fool of himself in the water.

"Dad?" Ethan asked as he helped Hermione load up their bags for the lake. "Do you promise you won't laugh at me?"

Hermione looked at Ethan and wondered how that little boy always seemed to know when the mood in a room needed to be lightened.

"If he does," Hermione said, smiling down at him. "We'll push him in the lake, little man."

"Hey!" Harry pretended to be offended. "What if your Mum laughs? What do we do with her?"

"We could tickle her, Daddy!" Ethan said laughing. "You know how Mummy hates that!"

"Ethan, you don't have to worry about that because I would never laugh at you," Hermione said, glaring at Harry.

Harry grinned innocently back at her. "Tickling sounds like a fantastic idea," he wiggled his fingers at his wife.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione said sternly. "You better not!"

Harry just grinned wider. "Oh will you two give it a break for once?" Lavender asked exasperatedly.

Hermione's smile faded as she looked at Lavender properly. She exchanged a confused look with Harry and Ethan just went back to packing up his toys in his beach bag.

"Is everything okay, Lav?" Hermione asked gingerly.

"Yes and no," Lavender sighed.

"Are you upset about Malfoy showing up?" Hermione asked. "His arrival certainly threw us all for a loop..."

Lavender shrugged. "He means nothing to me... but I finally talked to Seamus. And I realised what a bloody fool I've made of myself with him!"

"That's the understatement of the year!" Harry exclaimed, earning a warning glance from his wife. "Come on, Hermione. The two of them should never have broken things off."

"Harry Potter this is none of your business!" Lavender said crossing her arms.

"I'm sorry, Lavender," Harry said quietly. "You're right. It is none of my business."

"I'm sorry," Lavender replied. "I didn't mean to sound so ticked off. I'm just really confused."

Although Julie would have loved to hear about this, she could tell that perhaps her parents wanted to talk to Lavender alone. She quietly excused herself and Ethan on the guise of helping him pick out more toys.

"What happened last night?" Hermione asked when it was just the three of them in the living room.

Lavender explained what she and Seamus had talked about. "Hermione I've never felt so stupid in my life. If I'd only listened..." she sighed. "I'd be a lot happier right now."

"It's not too late," Hermione said. "You've missed some years together, but the feelings the two of you had for each other, they're still there, aren't they?"

Lavender shrugged. "I don't really know," she said. "Maybe."

"With Summer out of the picture for now, you can at least try and be friends again," Harry suggested. "That's a start."

"She's not really out of the picture," Lavender said. "She's coming back after she irons out all the troubles there in LA."

Hermione smiled reassuringly at her cousin. "What do you want to do then?"

"I don't know yet," Lavender said. "We said we'd try and be friends again, so I guess we'll figure out where to go from there."

"That sounds like an excellent idea," Hermione said, giving Lavender a hug. "And if you need to talk, I'm always here. You know that, right?"

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender said gratefully. "I'm coming down with you guys to the lake. A little colour on my skin will look fabulous with my fall line."

"Let's get going then," Harry said, grinning at both Hermione and Lavender. "Come on, Ethan! Julie!"

"Coming!" Julie replied.

Ethan followed Julie out of the room carrying two large bags of toys.

"Ethan!" Hermione asked. "You're never going to play with all of those!"

"But I might need them!" Ethan protested.

"One bag and that's it," Hermione said firmly. She saw her son pout at her and she glared at Harry. "You've been talking to your father again, haven't you Ethan? Well, he probably neglected to tell you that the 'pout' and 'puppy dog eyes' don't always work."

"Just most of the time," Harry advised his son. "Pick and choose your battles little man. You're not going to win this one."

"But you said it was foolproof!" Ethan protested. He grumbled as he took one of the bags back into his bedroom.

"Foolproof, eh?" Hermione asked Harry.

"I never said that," Harry said sheepishly, grinning at his wife and daughter.

"What other nuggets of wisdom have you been passing on to our son?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing," Harry put his hands up. "The kid's observant, what can I say?"

Hermione laughed and shook her head. Harry was definitely right about that.

"Julie?" Hermione asked. "Will Nick be joining us today?"

"I don't know," Julie blushed a little. "I hope so. I haven't seen him since he left here last night."

"I should hope not," Harry said sternly.

"Dad!" Julie said, blushing brighter. "Honestly!"

"Yeah Harry," Lavender put an arm around her niece. "Julie's old enough to sneak out. She older than you and Hermione when you snuck out to shag every night!"

"Lavender!" Hermione exclaimed, rounding on her cousin.

"Oooh, Mum!" Julie teased. "Every night, huh?"

"Just about," Lavender confirmed.

"Harry and I spent most of that time talking about culture and world events and art," Hermione said quickly. "And he was teaching me how to dance..."

"The horizontal mambo?" Julie chimed in as Lavender dissolved into a fit of giggles.

"A little help, please?" Hermione asked, looking at Harry.

Harry grinned. "I taught her the bunny hop." he said smugly, earning a shriek of laughter from Lavender.

"Okay, okay," Hermione said, trying not to laugh herself.

Ethan came back into the room, carrying his one bag of toys and Hermione was again grateful for his impeccable sense of timing.

"Are we all ready?" Harry asked.

Julie followed her family out the door, her eyes unconsciously scanning the area for Nick.

"I hope that mean man won't be there today," Ethan said thoughtfully as they walked toward the lake.

"You and me both, little man," Lavender said, taking his hand. "You and me both."

'No, but I sure hope his son is,' Julie mentally added.

Despite the early hour, the lake was already crowded and they had to settle for a spot near the snack bar. Everyone set their belongings down and Hermione noticed Julie scanning the crowds.

"I'm sure he'll show up," Hermione said, patting her daughter on the shoulder.

"Oh," Julie was embarrassed to be caught looking. "Right..."

Hermione smiled and sat down on the lounge chair to pull off her shorts and t-shirt.

"Where's the red one?" Harry asked impishly.

"That's only for special occasions," Hermione said winking at him.

"Isn't this a special occasion?" Harry asked. "I mean, we're showing our son how to swim here..."

"It is a special occasion," Hermione said. "But I only let you see the red one. Besides, you like this one, don't you?" She stood up so he could get a proper look at the more conservative blue bikini she'd chosen.

"Yeah," Harry eyed her curvy figure appreciatively. "But I like seeing more skin on you."

"Stop," Julie said, rolling her eyes. "Before you scar Ethan and me for life."

"I thought you liked all this romantic stuff..." Harry teased.

"I do," Julie said, smiling back at him, "but just tone it down a bit, Dad."

"Impossible, Jules," Lavender said. "They've been married how many years now? And they still can't keep their hands off of each other..."

Julie laughed but her eyes locked on the blond entering the lake area. "Nick!" she called, waving her hand above her head.

Nick grinned the moment he saw her. He knew that after his father's veiled threat this morning about sacking Greta, it might be a good idea to keep his distance from Julie. But, when he'd left the cabin earlier, his parents were locked away in their bedroom doing Merlin knows what to each other.

"Hi, everyone," Nick said warmly.

"Nick!" Ethan jumped up. "My Mum and Dad are going to help me swim!"

"You'll probably show them a thing or two, Ethan," Nick said, smiling broadly at the younger boy. "He's really gotten quite good."

"Good to know," Harry patted Nick's shoulder.

"I really am sorry about what happened last night," Nick said sincerely.

"None of that was your fault," Hermione said. "You had no idea that was going to happen and we certainly don't blame you for it. Not for a minute."

"Thanks," Nick said gratefully. He'd been glad for the chance to sit and talk with them after being out walking with Julie.

"Is your father staying for very long?" Lavender couldn't resist asking.

Nick shrugged. "He and my Mum were already holed up in the bedroom when I left," he sat down next to Julie on the lounge.

Thinking her daughter might want to be alone with Nick, Hermione stood up. "Well, how about we get started on that swimming lesson, Ethan?"

"Right," Harry said. "Come on little man, let's get you in that water," he led his son and wife down to the lake's edge while Lavender put a pair of sunglasses on and settled back for a kip.

"I'm glad you came," Julie smiled at Nick when everyone had left.

"So am I," Nick said, grinning back at her. "I couldn't have stayed away if I tried."

His words made her blush a little bit. "So um... how was your night after you left our cabin? I hope your parents didn't give you too hard of a time."

"I crashed on my uncle's sofa," Nick admitted. "I just didn't want to face them after last night."

"I'm sorry," Julie apologised softly.

"Not your fault," Nick said, squeezing her hand. "But there is something I needed to talk to you about. When I came back to my parents' cabin this morning, my dad wasn't very happy with me to say the least."

"That doesn't sound out of the ordinary," Julie replied.

"No," Nick said with slight laugh. "That's normal for Dad. But, he did say that I wasn't to associate with you or your family anymore or he'd see to it that Greta was sacked."

"Oh no!" Julie gasped. "Nick that's horrible!"

Nick nodded. "I know, but I can't let them sack her, Julie. So, I was hoping that you'd understand if we weren't so public about our relationship." He watched her face for some clue as to how she was taking this. It was the last thing he wanted to do, but he really had no other choice.

"Are you saying you want to... break up?" Julie asked softly with a feeling of dread.

Nick shook his head. "No, that's the last thing I want, Jules. I just think we should keep things quiet. I still want to be with you and I want to get to know your family, but I won't be able to eat dinners with all of you and hang out at the lake. They're going to be watching me like a hawk."

"Oh..." Julie said. "Well... if that's what we have to do..."

"It won't be for long," Nick promised her. "Before too long, we'll be away from here and it won't matter."

"Away from here?" Julie asked. "You mean... you want to... stay together?"

Nick just realised what he'd just said and hoped he hadn't overstepped his boundaries again with her. "Well, yes," he said shyly. "I'd like that. Wouldn't you?"

Julie didn't reply for a moment. "Yeah," she finally answered. "I think I would." she smiled back at him.

"Great," he said, leaning in and kissing her softly. "How about we go for a swim, too?"

"Right now?" Julie asked. "Lake's a bit crowded..."

"Which is perfect," Nick said, getting to his feet and offering her his hand. "No one will be able to pick us out of the crowd. We'll blend in, Jules. Come on..."

"Okay," Julie took his hand and followed him down to the water.

Nick saw Harry and Hermione a little ways down the lake, playing in the water with Ethan.

"You and Ethan are really lucky," Nick said thoughtfully as he and Julie waded out into the lake.

"Yeah we are," Julie smiled at her family. "My parents have always been supportive of whatever Ethan or I wanted to do."

"Well, you couldn't say the same for my parents," Nick said. "It used to bother me when I was a kid about them not being around as much, but now..."

"Well now you know you have family and friends that care about you," Julie went under the water for a moment.

He smiled when she surfaced a few seconds later and wrapped her arms around his neck. "And I have you," Nick whispered.

"Yes you do," Julie grinned at him.

He took her hand and they swam out even further out. "I want to show you something," he said, smiling at her.

"What?" Julie asked.

"Note to self," Nick said, as he motioned for her to follow him. "Julie doesn't like to be surprised. Don't worry. I know for a fact you're going to love it."

"I like to be surprised!" Julie said. "I'm just curious!"

"You know what they said about curiosity, don't you?" he asked teasingly, leading her behind a group of weeping willow trees. "It killed the cat or something."

"It hasn't killed ME," Julie replied mischievously. "And I don't plan on letting it."

Nick laughed. "Okay. I found this the other night. And I thought you'd like it."

He led her behind some branches and she saw a little cove. "Well, what do you think?" he asked her hopefully.

"Wow," Julie looked around the tiny opening. "This is so nice and private!"

Nick nodded and helped her onto the clearing. "I don't think too many people know about it. It's perfect for us, don't you think?"

"Definitely," Julie smiled at him.

"I really am sorry for asking you to do this," Nick said, squeezing her hand. "I don't want to hide anymore than you do. If it weren't for Greta..."

"I understand Nick," Julie assured him. "I really do. And I don't know Greta, but if she raised you to be the way you are, then I'll help you any way I can to not get her sacked."

Nick leaned down and kissed her. "You're fantastic, do you know that?"

"So are you," Julie pulled him close again.

"So this could be like our own special place," he said, reaching behind her and pulling her hair out of its clip. "Just yours and mine."

"That sounds good to me," Julie enjoyed the way his fingers were running through her long hair. She pulled him down and kissed him again.

Nick wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her closer. He'd been so afraid that when he'd told her that they'd have to sneak around, that she'd have told him to get lost. But, she'd been completely understanding and supportive about it. He was falling for this girl and it both excited and terrified him at the same time.

Julie kissed him passionately, liking the way he was holding her close. She hadn't been this excited about a guy in awhile- she hadn't even felt this way about Ryan when they had been together.

In the distance, they could hear the sounds of laughter and talking from the other hotel guests, but both of them felt far removed from everyone and everything else going on around them.

"My parents want me to eat dinner with them in the restaurant tonight," Nick said, as he pulled away from her. "They want everyone to see what a great, happy family we are. I don't think we've ever eaten a meal together."

"I really wish you could just be with all of us," Julie toyed with his hair. "Everyone likes spending time with you. You're like the new baby of the family," she teased.

Nick laughed. "The new baby?"

"Well everyone wants to fawn over you," Julie replied. "And we all want to get to know you. That's how it is when someone in our group has a baby. Though it's been about a year since that happened last with R.J.”.

"Was it like that for you with Ethan?" Nick asked her. "There's quite a bit of difference in your ages."

"Well Ethan was sort of a 'miracle baby'," Julie said. "I was thirteen when he was born."

"He wasn't exactly planned, eh?" Nick asked.

"Not really," Julie laughed. "And I was old enough to not be jealous when he was born. He actually was like my little baby. I took care of him whenever I could."

Nick nodded. "My mother didn't want to have any more children after me. Do you want to hear her reason? She didn't want to get fat. Can you believe that?"

"After meeting her, yes, I can." Julie replied.

"My dad wanted her to have more kids, though," Nick said, shaking his head. "Said that they should at least have two, but she put her foot down."

"Well your father DOES have two kids," Julie said.

"My mum and me, you mean?" Nick asked, laughing.

"Well maybe three then," Julie said. "Even though he's signed away all his rights to her, Chiaki's still his daughter."

Nick frowned. "Oh, Julie! I completely forgot! Have you spoken to her since this happened?"

"No," Julie shook her head. "I'm going to talk to her later today. Figured she might want to just be with her family this morning."

"Trust me, Jules," Nick said seriously. "She should stay as far away from him as she possibly can. I don't want to see her get hurt."

"I'll tell her that," Julie smiled at him.

"We should get back," Nick said reluctantly.

"In a minute," Julie pulled him close again.

He kissed her deeply, wondering how in the world he was going to hide from his parents how much he cared about this girl. Every time he looked at her or thought about her, it was written all over his face.

"Mmm..." Julie said a few minutes later. "Now we can get back..."

They swam out from behind the trees and Nick groaned as he saw his mother settling down on a lounge chair. His father was lording about the place, scowling of course in the direction of Harry, Hermione and Ethan.

"You should probably go out first," Nick whispered to Julie.

"What if they see me?" Julie whispered back. "And then see you come out after me?"

"I'll swim over this way," he said motioning to the left. "You go over and join your parents. It'll be okay."

"I'll go underwater. I can hold my breath for awhile." Julie chanced a quick kiss. "I'll see you later..."

Nick watched her go and then swam in the other direction.

From the other side of the lake, Hermione had also noticed the arrival of Draco and Ginny Malfoy. She smiled at Ethan who had done quite well with his lessons with Julie. Harry was now trying to get Ethan to go out further.

"But I won't be able to stand, Dad," Ethan said frowning.

"It'll help you learn how to tread water, little man." Harry replied. "And I'll be only a few feet away from you the whole time."

"You promise?" Ethan asked.

"I promise," Harry said seriously.

"We'll just go out a little bit further," Hermione said, taking Ethan's other hand. "You're really doing great, sweetheart."

"I am?" Ethan asked proudly. "Hey Julie!" he caught sight of his sister swimming towards him. "I'm going to start going in deeper water!"

"How in the world did you mange to get him to do that?" Julie asked her father. "I've been trying for days to get him to do that!"

Harry shrugged. "Guess he feels safer with all of us around?" he guessed.

"He keeps telling us what a great help his big sister has been," Hermione said proudly to her daughter.

"Well, if it isn't the happy Potty family," Draco Malfoy said, smirking down at them from the docks.

"Ignore him," Harry said to his wife and children.

"Come on, Ethan," Hermione said, pulling her son away.

"Granger," Draco said, looking down at her. "For a Mudblood, you sure do have a nice rack. Almost makes me see why Potter went for a guttersnipe like you."

Hermione froze. "I'd appreciate if you'd keep your disgusting comments to yourself in front of my children," she said coldly.

"Hermione? Why don't you and Julie take Ethan over there and I'll have a quick word with Mr. Malfoy?" Harry asked her.

"All right," Hermione pulled Ethan and Julie out of earshot.

"I can't imagine what you'd want to talk to me about, Potter," Malfoy said, as he watched Harry climb up onto the dock.

"I think you know," Harry said darkly. "You stay away from me and my family. I don't know why you're here but you stay away."

"I've never taken orders from you," Malfoy said smirking at him. "And I'm not about to start now. Just because you sleep with the Minister for Magic doesn't mean you call the shots, Potter."

"I'm not calling anything," Harry said angrily. "I'm warning you Malfoy. You pulled some pretty tricky dark magic in your time. I'd hate for that to be dredged up now that you're back in England, wouldn't you?"

"Ancient history, Potter," Draco sneered. "And you know as well as I do that my father was responsible for all of that. Not me." He looked over Harry's shoulder at Hermione, Julie and Ethan. "How old is your son, Potter?"

"Why should you care?" Harry asked snappishly.

"Tetchy, aren't we?" Draco said. "I was just asking to be polite. I could care less about you or your children or that Mudblood."

"Good," Harry glared at him. "Keep it that way. And stay away from us."

"You stay away from my son," Draco countered.

"Your son is old enough to make his own decisions," Harry returned. "And may I say how shocked we all are that someone that came from you and Ginny could be so polite and likeable? Getting him a nanny was probably the best decision either one of you ever made."

Draco scowled at him. What exactly had Nick told all these people? With one last menacing look at Harry, Draco turned away and walked back toward Ginny.

"Come back in the water, Dad!" Ethan called out to Harry.

Harry glared at Malfoy's retreating back before joining his family again. "All right little man," he forced a smile on his face after giving his wife a look that said he'd fill her in later. "Let's get you back out there."

Ginny pulled off her sunglasses as she saw Nick come over. "Nicholas! I didn't know you were here!"

Nick raised one eyebrow in reply as he reluctantly dragged over an empty lounge chair. He had to keep up the act that he wasn't seeing Julie and it was hard not to watch her out in the lake with her family.

"I'm really glad you're here," Ginny said warmly. "You should probably put on some sunscreen. You don't want to get burned."

"I'm fine," Nick said shortly.

"Nicholas," Draco said coolly, coming back over to join them. "What lies have you been feeding Potter and his family about me?"

Nick ignored him and turned to face the other way.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you, Nicholas!" Draco said angrily.

"Keep your voice down!" Ginny hissed at him. "We're trying to give off the impression that we are a happy, normal family. If you're arguing like this, it's not going to work!"

"I haven't told them anything that's not true," Nick replied coolly and calmly.

"Right," Draco said, leaning back in his chair. "You should have seen them out there, Gin. They think they're so much better than the rest of us."

"That's because they are," Nick muttered.

"What did you say, sweetheart?" Ginny asked, turning to face Nick.

Nick ignored her.

Ginny rolled her eyes as she saw Ron coming their way. The last thing she wanted or needed was a lecture from her brother. Ron, however, wasn't here to say hello to his sister, but to check on Nick.

"Oi! Nick!" Ron said grinning at his nephew.

"Hey Uncle Ron," Nick smiled back. "Where's the rest of the family?"

"They're coming along shortly," Ron replied. "I have great news! Maddie and R.J. are arriving tomorrow evening and I thought you'd like to meet your youngest cousins."

"That sounds great," Nick said honestly.

"How many children do you have, Weasel?" Draco asked.

Ron turned eyes on his sister's husband. "Six. Including my sister, how many do you have?" he smirked.

Nick stifled a laugh as his father just glared at Ron.

"You always did fancy yourself a comedian, didn't you?" Draco asked. "Don't you get tired of being the funny sidekick?"

"Those petty insults from Hogwarts don't work anymore Malfoy," Ron replied.

"Whatever, Weasley," Draco said dismissively. "I'm going for a swim."

Ginny watched as her husband walked away from them. "Why do you insist on being so horrid to him all the time?" she asked her brother.

Both Ron and Nick stared at her in disbelief. "Since when did you take the word of a ferret over the word of your own brother?" Ron asked.

"Ferret?" Nick asked in confusion.

"It's a terrible nickname your uncle gave to your father when they were in school," Ginny said, glaring at Ron.

"No it's not," Ron began to laugh.

"Yes, it is!" Ginny hissed.

"In our fourth year," Ron began, still laughing. "We had a professor who took quite a liking to Harry." he told his nephew about Malfoy's five minutes as a ferret.

Ginny scowled at Ron, as her son doubled over in laughter. "He should have been sacked on the spot for doing that to Draco."

"Yeah well, we found out later he wasn't who he said he was," Ron's face grew a bit dark momentarily.

"Who was he?" Nick asked, ignoring his mother who was positively seething.

"That's a bit of a long story," Ron replied.

"I'd like to hear it some day," Nick said.

"Sure," Ron agreed.

"I'm really looking forward to meeting Maddie and R.J.," Nick said sincerely.

"So am I," Ginny chimed in.

"You've not even spoken to any of your other nieces or nephews since we've arrived," Nick asked her in disbelief. He wondered what she was really playing at by trying to extend their "happy" family.

"Well maybe I want to now," Ginny said defensively.

"You really want to meet Maddie and R.J.?" Ron asked her.

"Sure," Ginny tossed her hair loftily. "Why not?"

"Okay then," Ron said, calling her bluff. "You want to meet them? You can come by our cabin tomorrow evening at eight. That's when Mum is bringing them by. You remember Mum, don't you Ginny?"

"Of course I do Ronald," Ginny said sharply.

"My grandmother is going to be here?" Nick asked.

"Yup," Ron nodded. "And she sure is excited to meet you Nick."

"I-I'm excited to meet her, as well," Nick said, smiling. "What about my grandfather? Will he be coming, too?"

Ron nodded. "He's looking forward to it as well. Although Mum can be a bit overbearing, she loves family," he glared at his sister as he said that.

"I can't wait," Nick said, hoping he'd get a chance to tell Julie about this as well.

"Nicholas, do you mind if I have a word with your uncle?" Ginny asked sweetly.

Nick looked at Ron who nodded. "Fine," he muttered.

Once her son was out of earshot, Ginny rounded on her brother. "You've got some nerve, Ronald Weasley! Bringing in Mum like this!"

"She's bringing Maddie and R.J.," Ron said coolly. "Like I told you."

"No matter what you may think of me, I never wanted to hurt her," Ginny retorted.

"I find that very difficult to believe," Ron said sarcastically.

"It's true!" Ginny said.

"Right," Ron turned to leave. "If you do come and you say anything to hurt her you'll be sorry for it."

"I wouldn't," Ginny said truthfully. "I won't."

"Better not," Ron said before leaving.

Ginny watched him go and wondered if she should tell Draco about this news. She knew that the last thing Draco would probably want to see is her parents. Over the years, he'd said some rather scathing comments about her entire family. She'd let some of them slide, but it still bothered her. No matter what had happened, they were her family. But, Draco was her family, too. So was Nicholas, even though at the moment, he didn't want to acknowledge that.

Nick rejoined her a few minutes later.

"I think it would be best if we didn't mention anything to your father about my parents coming to drop off your cousins," Ginny said, sitting back down on her chair.

"Figures," Nick said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ginny asked him.

"Nothing," Nick replied, not wanting to get into an argument with her.

"I just think it would be best if we didn't tell him," Ginny repeated. "He's never really gotten along with my family and I don't want to make things uncomfortable for my parents."

"Fine," Nick said, stretching out. "I'm taking a kip."

"Okay," Ginny said, leaning back on her lounge chair thinking she would take one as well. She hoped that her decision to keep this from her husband wouldn't come back to bite her in the arse.

11. A Thousand Beautiful Things

Author's note: We didn't have the chance to respond to reviews this time as we would normally like to do, but we did read them and appreciate each and every one. In this chapter, you get to meet the two youngest Weasleys and Nick gets to meet his grandmother. Please read and review!

A Thousand Beautiful Things – Annie Lennox

The world was meant for you and me
To figure out our destiny
(a thousand beautiful things)
To live
To die
To breathe
To sleep
To try to make your life complete
(yes yes)
So ...
Light me up like the sun
To cool down with your rain
I never want to close my eyes again
Never close my eyes
never close my eyes ...
That is everything I have to say

Later that afternoon, Julie found herself walking toward the Longbottom cabin, hoping to check in on Chiaki to see how she was doing. She'd thought she'd see the Longbottoms at the lake, but they'd never shown up and Julie was worried about her best friend.

Chiaki was going over some more wedding plans with her mother, keeping her mind off the situation of the night before. "Hey Jules," she smiled at her friend as she came up to the cabin.

"Hi," Julie said, smiling back at her. "Hi, Aunt Cho."

"Hello love," Cho smiled back. "What are you up to?"

"We just did the whole family thing down by the lake," Julie replied sitting down across from them. "It was really crowded today."

"How are Ethan's lessons going?" Chiaki asked, setting down her notebook.

"Really well," Julie said. "Dad actually convinced him to into the deeper end of the lake and he's treading water. He's really come such a long way."

"That's so sweet," Cho said. "Harry's a fantastic father."

"Yes, well apparently my fantastic father was getting my by-the-book mother to sneak out when they were here," Julie said, laughing. "Lavender was telling us all about it earlier. I had no idea that they did that!"

Cho snorted. "Julie, sweetheart, your parents are the king and queen of sneaking out."

Julie leaned forward in her seat. She knew she'd get answers from Cho. "Mum tried to tell me that she and Dad sat up nights talking about art and culture. I didn't buy it for one second!"

"Arts and culture my arse," Cho replied. "We were all happy because in the morning Harry would be in a great mood for a change."

"Was Dad really that moody?" Julie asked, intrigued. She loved hearing about her parents' love story, but she had feeling they'd left out all of the best parts.

Cho laughed. "Was he moody?" she asked. "That's like asking if it rains a lot over here."

"He always does say meeting Mum changed his life," Julie said, giggling. "I guess it changed his disposition and behaviour, too."

"That's the understatement of the past twenty years," Cho replied.

"Just like your getting together with Dad changed yours, Mum," Chiaki said.

"That it did," Cho patted her daughter's knee. "I'll leave you two alone- otherwise you might go telling secrets that I can manage somehow to spill to everyone else."

"I want to find out more about my parents, Aunt Cho," Julie called out to her. "You’re the only one who will tell me the truth! Promise me we'll talk later!"

"I promise Julie," Cho smiled at her.

When Julie and Chiaki were alone, Julie scooted her chair closer to her friend.

"Chiaki? Are you really okay? Last night was pretty intense."

"I'm fine," Chiaki nodded. "I was a bit put out and shocked, but when my dad came to talk to me he made me feel a lot better."

"I'm sorry for not being there for you," Julie said, hugging her friend.

"No it's okay," Chiaki smiled at her. "Really- Nick needed a shoulder more than I did."

"Nick thinks you should stay away from Malfoy," Julie said.

"I don't have any plans of trying to run into him," Chiaki said. "I have my dad, my REAL dad, right here. He's all I need."

Julie smiled at her. "Too right."

"So..." Chiaki closed her notebook. "Are you going to fill me in on what's happening between you and Nick? I need to talk to him again."

"It's complicated," Julie replied. She explained to Chiaki about what Nick's parents had done and how they'd threatened to sack Greta. "So, he thinks we should keep our relationship a secret for now."

"What do you really think about that?" Chiaki leaned back. "Do you think it's worth it?"

Julie considered the question for a long time. It was certainly a question she'd been asking herself all day. "I don't like hiding how we feel about each other," Julie admitted. "But, Greta means so much to him. And he said it would just be until after the holiday. Then, we can do whatever we want."

Chiaki's eyes widened. "After the holiday? You two are staying together?"

Julie blushed. "I think so. He brought it up today when I saw him and truth be told, it surprised me, but I'd really like that, Chiaki. I really would."

Chiaki nodded. "And this isn't a rebound thing right?" she asked gently.

"I don't think so," Julie said truthfully. "When I'm with Nick, I don't think about Ryan. And what I'm feeling for Nick, I don't think I ever felt for Ryan."

Chiaki grinned. "And exactly what are you feeling?" she pursued.

"It's too soon to call it love," Julie replied. "But I care about him. I want to be with him all the time. I think about him all the time. It might not be love yet, but I'm definitely heading that way fast."

"That's so sweet," Chiaki gushed. "That's how I felt about Toshio after we started dating exclusively. I just couldn't get him out of my head."

Julie smiled. "But it's not going to be easy. His parents are going to see to that. His father tried to start something again with my dad today."

"He's horrible. Far worse than I ever imagined," Chiaki said. "I'm luckier than Nick, that I got such a wonderful father."

"Neville is great," Julie agreed. "And you should tell him that, too. It can't be easy on him, either."

"I told him," Chiaki grinned. "Allison and Frankie were all over him this morning too."

"Speaking of Allie," Julie said. "Did you see her and Jon at dinner last night? They were soooo cute!"

"He really fancies her!" Chiaki said. "And she's liked Josh for ages but he's too hung up on you."

"I know," Julie said guiltily. "I wish he'd have seen how great Allie was, but if he hasn't at least Jon does. They were so adorable last night."

"They were," Chiaki said. "Toshio's coming in day after tomorrow and I asked Jon if he and Allie wanted to join us." she leaned forward. "You and Nick are invited too- and maybe it'll help if Nick doesn't tell his parents that you'll be there."

"Count us in," Julie said, looking at her watch. "I better go. I told Mum and Dad I wouldn't be gone long. You heard that Maddie and R.J. are arriving tomorrow, didn't you?"

"I can't wait to see them!" Chiaki squealed.

"Me, too!" Julie said, hugging her friend. "Say hello to your dad for me."

"I will," Chiaki smiled as Julie walked away. She sincerely hoped that her friend could work things out with Nick. He genuinely seemed to care about her and Chiaki knew that despite what Julie said- her friend was already falling in love.

*** *** ***

While they were all getting ready for dinner that night, Lavender would notice Hermione and Harry exchanging glances. Of course at first she thought nothing of it- figured it was yet another rabbit mating ritual- until Hermione suggested that Lavender might like to dress up for dinner.

"Why?" she asked suspiciously. "Hermione shouldn't this be the other way around? Me giving YOU fashion advice? I'm the designer here!"

"I'm not telling you what to wear," Hermione said. "I'm just suggesting you might want to wear something nice for dinner. What about that pale green dress that you brought with you? That's really beautiful, Lavender."

Lavender was still suspicious but very hungry as well. "Fine," she agreed.

"I'll let you get dressed," Hermione said, smiling as she closed Lavender's bedroom door behind her. She briskly walked across the cabin to her and Harry's own bedroom and smiled as she saw her husband wearing nothing but a towel around his waist.

"Very nice," Hermione teased, walking past him.

"Think I should go to dinner like this?" Harry asked with a straight face.

"I'd like it, but you might embarrass your son and daughter," Hermione said with a laugh. She opened up their closet and wondered what she should wear tonight. Figuring she should dress up as well so Lavender wouldn't suspect anything, she picked out two dresses.

"Harry? Which one of these do you think would look okay for tonight?"

"Neither," Harry was brushing his teeth. "Go naked.

"The Minister for Magic starkers at dinner," Hermione said. "I could just see the papers now. I am so glad that no one from the press knows we're here."

"Right," Harry leaned out of the room and gave her a kiss. "Wear the pink one," he said.

"Excellent choice," Hermione said. "So does Seamus know what time to meet us? And are you sure he doesn't know Lavender is going to be there?"

"He's meeting us at half past seven," Harry answered as Hermione grabbed his dress trousers from the closet. "Do the kids know to dress up?"

"I mentioned it to them," Hermione replied, handing him the trousers. "You were so great with Ethan today, Harry."

"It's hard not to be," Harry said.

"Today was really great," Hermione said happily. "Except for Malfoy..."

"Any day without a Malfoy is good." Harry paused. "Except Nick. I really like him."

"I do, too," Hermione said, helping Harry with his tie. "Honestly, Harry. You never have known how to do these properly."

"That's why I have you," he gave her his best grin, one that Ethan had inherited.

She stood on tiptoe and kissed him. "I'm going to have even more fun getting you out of these clothes later."

Harry grinned again and gave her behind a little pinch.

"We better not start anything now that we won't be able to finish," Hermione said softly, pulling away from him. She walked over to her bedside table and held up her locket. "Will you help me with this?"

"Sure," Harry moved behind his wife. She held up her hair while he drew the necklace over her skin and fastened it. "There we go," he kissed the back of her neck.

"Perfect," Hermione whispered, turning around to face him.

Harry caressed her cheek before leaning in to give her a kiss.

"I love you," she said softly. "So much."

"I love you too," Harry kissed her again.

"We weren't going to start something we couldn't finish, remember?" Hermione asked, as he kissed her neck.

"You make it so hard," Harry grinned as he saw the look start to cross her face.

Hermione giggled. "Do I?"

"Yes," Harry said. "You're the one to blame for our rabbit title."

"No, I think that was you," Hermione teased.

"But you caused me to want to have sex so much," Harry explained.

"I was about to say the same about you."

"Don't you try and pin this on me," Harry teased.

Hermione nodded. "Okay, we're both to blame."

"Better," Harry's eyes were twinkling.

There was an impatient knock on the door.

"Okay, you two," Lavender called out. "We're all ready to go. Come on!"

"We're almost ready!" Hermione called back. She hadn't even put her dress on.

Lavender rolled her eyes and sat back down with Ethan and Julie on the sofa.

"Are they at it again?" Julie joked.

"Probably," Lavender said with a sigh.

"Will Nick be eating with us again tonight?" Ethan asked his sister.

"No," Julie said. "He's got to eat with his parents. I wish he could stay with us..."

"You really do like him, don't you?" Lavender asked, grinning at Julie.

"Yeah," Julie turned a little pink, as she always did when someone asked about Nick. "He's really... fantastic."

Lavender smiled. She could remember all those years ago when she'd said the same thing about Seamus after she'd gotten to know him.

"I was so wrong about him," Julie continued. "He's really sweet."

"And he's completely smitten with you, too," Lavender said.

"You think?" Julie asked.

Lavender nodded. "Please! He fancies you, Julie. Even a fool could see that."

Julie smiled. "Good to know," she said.

Hermione and Harry came out of their bedroom then and Lavender applauded. "Finally!"

"We weren't that long," Hermione said. "And we weren't doing what you think we were doing."

"Right," Lavender said sarcastically.

"We didn't," Hermione said firmly. She smiled as she saw her son and daughter. "Look at you, little man. You're quite handsome."

"I'm uncomfortable in this, Mum," Ethan said grumpily.

"Get used to it," Julie teased.

"And you look really beautiful, sweetheart," Harry said to Julie.

"Thanks Dad," Julie said. "I'm starving!"

Lavender noticed as Harry and Hermione exchanged another one to those looks. They were definitely up to something, but she didn't know what.

When Julie got to the restaurant, she scanned the room and saw the Malfoys sitting in a corner. She smiled to herself as she saw Nick looking bored. His eyes locked with hers and a small smile came to his lips.

"Later," Julie mouthed, turning away in case his parents caught sight of them.

Lavender sat down beside Julie at the table and noticed there was an extra place setting.

"Is someone joining us?" Lavender asked.

"Why do you say that?" Hermione asked as innocently as possible.

"You've always been a terrible liar," Lavender scoffed. "What gives?"

Hermione shrugged and looked at her husband.

"Someone I used to work with here is going to be joining us," Harry told Lavender. This wasn't a lie. He and Seamus had worked here together.

"Who?" Lavender demanded.

"Hey, everyone," a familiar voice said behind her. "Sorry I'm a bit late. I had a conference call with some producers on my next film."

Lavender froze momentarily, glaring at her cousin and Harry.

"You're just in time," Hermione said, grinning at Seamus. "We actually just arrived ourselves."

"Good of you to invite me," Seamus nodded. "Hi kids... hi Lav..."

"Hello," Lavender said with a weak smile.

"We couldn't have you eating alone, could we?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, it's a bit lonely for me now that Summer's back in LA," Seamus avoided looking at his ex.

"We're just glad you decided to stay," Harry said. "Aren't we?"

"Of course," Hermione kicked her cousin's leg.

"Ow!" Lavender yelped. "Hermione!"

"Sorry," Hermione said. "Foot slipped."

"Sure it did," Lavender muttered.

Julie sensed that perhaps Lavender needed a little help getting the conversational ball rolling.

"Seamus?" Julie asked. "What's your next film about?"

"It's a romantic comedy," Seamus said. "Summer's set to be the star, but they had some trouble with the negotiations and she had to fly back."

"Is her name really Summer Rayne?" Ethan asked.

Seamus grinned. "That's her stage name. I'm under oath not to reveal her true one to anyone under pain of death."

"That was the best stage name she could come up with?" Lavender couldn't stop herself from asking.

Seamus looked at her, his eyes growing cool. "Yes," he said.

"I'm sorry," Lavender said quickly. "I know I said I was going to stop doing that. It's a hard habit to break."

"Which part is fake?" Ethan asked. "The Summer or the Rayne? Or both?"

Hermione and Harry were both trying hard not to laugh at their son's incessant questioning.

"Ethan," Seamus laughed. "You can ask her that when she gets back all right?"

Ethan nodded. "Okay."

"I thought we might have seen you by the lake today," Lavender said conversationally to Seamus.

"I slept in," Seamus said. "Best night's sleep I had in ages."

Lavender wondered if that had something to do with the fact that Summer had left, but she decided to keep quiet about all things Summer Rayne. "It was really crowded down there anyway," she said quietly.

"So has Malfoy given any of you any more grief?" Seamus asked as a basket of rolls was placed on the table.

"No," Lavender replied. "He's left me alone. Have you seen him?"

"We saw him earlier," Harry said. "Had a nice little conversation with him," he rolled his eyes.

"He and Nick's mum don't want me and Nick seeing each other," Julie said softly.

"You didn't tell us about that, Julie," Hermione said taken aback.

Julie shrugged. "We're going to keep it quiet. He says he wants us to try and work things out through the rest of the holiday, and we want to try and have a relationship after we leave here."

"Sounds familiar, doesn't it?" Lavender asked her cousin.

"Just a little," Hermione smiled.

"I still don't see why Grandpa Robert didn't want you and Dad together," Julie said, shaking her head. "I find that hard to believe. You and Grandpa get along so well, Dad."

"It was a lot of misunderstandings," Harry said.

"He always liked me," Seamus said smugly.

"He liked me just fine the last week we were here," Harry said defensively. "And afterwards we became friends! At least I have the guts to golf with him Seamus."

"Do you still suck at it?" Seamus asked.

"Yes," Hermione, Julie and Ethan answered at the same time.

"Hey!" Harry said.

Lavender laughed. "You know that's what my uncle likes best Harry," she teased. "Taking the Mickey out of you for golfing so badly."

"Dad says he lets Grandpa win," Ethan said. "But I don't think that's the truth."

"I do," Harry said. "I swear it!"

"You do not," Hermione said laughing. "Harry, you're terrible at it and you know it."

"That's what I said," Harry replied. "I don't let him win. I guess golf is the only thing I'm bad at."

"Chess," Seamus said cheekily. "The first thing Ron told me when I saw him after all this time was that you've still not managed to defeat him."

"All right two things," Harry cast Seamus a glare.

"How are your parents, Hermione?" Seamus asked.

"They're great," Hermione smiled. "They miss hearing from you Seamus."

Seamus started to laugh. "Do you remember that first Christmas we had with them, Harry? You and Dr. Granger gave Hermione and Elinore the same gifts..."

Julie giggled. "What's this about?"

Harry laughed. "Your grandfather and I gave your grandmother and your mum cookbooks. We didn't plan on it but it was funny, especially the look on their faces."

"Why would you give Mummy a cookbook?" Ethan asked his father. "She can't cook."

Everyone laughed at that. "That's the point of a cookbook Ethan," Julie grinned. "To help those who don't know how to cook... cook."

"Everyone has something that they're bad at," Hermione said defensively. "For me, it's cooking. With Harry, it's golf and chess. For Cho, it would be keeping secrets."

"Isn't that the truth," Lavender grinned.

Seamus laughed. "It's good to know that some things haven't changed, isn't it?"

"Not a lot has changed," Hermione replied.

"You're not still an absolute terror to your movie crew, are you?" Lavender asked Seamus. She explained to Julie and Ethan how Seamus used to treat his crew when he was still in film school.

"I'm a little better," Seamus replied. "I still like perfection when it comes to my set and costuming though. That's how I've gotten up there in the top rankings."

Lavender nodded. "Do you remember how we used to say that one day I'd work with you? I was going to do all the costumes for your films."

She laughed and nudged him on the arm. "Now, you couldn't afford a talent such as mine."

"Oh come on," Seamus grinned at her. "Surely you could lower yourself if I begged hard enough?"

"You'd have to do some really heavy-duty grovelling," Lavender said. She was enjoying talking to him like this again.

"Well I'll keep that in mind," Seamus teased.

"After all, you're the one who taught me about that compromise thing..."

"It took you long enough to learn about it," Lavender said.

"Learn about it?" Seamus joked.

"Yes," Lavender said, with twinkling eyes. "You sometimes didn't want to give an inch when you thought you were in the right. I had to show you that sometimes you have to give up a little to get what you really want. It's as simple as that. Face it, Finnigan. You would not be where you are today, if it weren't for me."

"What is this compromise you speak of?" Seamus was still teasing. "It certainly hasn't helped my climb to the top."

Lavender blushed. "Okay, so maybe compromise didn't have that much to do with it."

Seamus laughed. "Only a little..."

Hermione watched her cousin and Seamus interacting with each other like they had when they'd been dating. It was great to see them like this again.

"This was a brilliant idea," Hermione whispered in Harry's ear.

"Aye it was," Harry kissed her chastely. "Good thinking."

"Do you think she still wants to kill me?" Hermione whispered to him, motioning toward Lavender who was laughing at something Seamus had said.

"Nah," he said quietly. "We'll just tell her it was Ethan's idea," he grinned devilishly.

"You're terrible," Hermione said with a laugh.

Julie snuck another look over at Nick's table. He still looked bored, although his parents were laughing about something and toasting one another.

Seamus heard Ginny's high-pitched laughter and turned around to see where it was coming from. He rolled his eyes at Lavender. "I was hoping I wouldn't run into the two of them while I was here. I guess my luck ran out."

"Well maybe they won't see us," Lavender said. "I know I certainly don't want to talk to them."

"They're probably over there talking about how fabulous they are," Seamus said. "They remind me of some of the people in Hollywood. I've always though Malfoy would fit right in with that type."

Lavender laughed. "You just pegged him perfectly!"

"I think he's missed his calling," Seamus said. "I still can't seem to get my head around the fact that he's a healer of all things."

"Tell me about it," Hermione joined their conversation. "Malfoy helping people..."

"The only person he ever wanted to help was himself," Seamus remembered. "I imagine he's in it that particular profession more for the name recognition rather than for actually helping people."

"That's probably it," Harry nodded. "Knowing Malfoy he's just in it for the money."

"Come on," Lavender said. "Let's not talk anymore about him or her. We're supposed to be having a nice dinner!"

"Hear, hear," Harry said.

The rest of the evening went by without incident. The Malfoys finished their meal long before Harry and his family. Nick followed his parents out the door and chanced a smile and wave at the Potters' table.

Julie waved back, turning a bit pink. She wanted to run after him but composed herself.

"Everything okay?" Hermione asked Julie.

"Fine," Julie said, still pink.

"I've been where you were before," Hermione said. "I know this can't be easy for you, Jules."

"I know," Julie answered softly. "But he's worth it Mum..."

Hermione nodded. She could remember saying the same thing about Harry. He had been worth it, too. "If you need to talk about it, I'm here for you."

"Thanks Mum," Julie smiled at her.

Ethan yawned rather loudly then and rested his head on his mother's shoulder.

"Tired, little man?" Hermione asked softly.

"Yeah," Ethan said. His swimming lessons proved to be exhausting.

"I think it's time we get you to bed then," Hermione said. "You had a long day."

Ethan was already half asleep as his father picked him up. "Thanks for joining us Seamus," he grinned. "It was good talking to you again."

"Thanks for inviting me," Seamus said. He noticed that Lavender, too, was getting up to leave. He didn't want her to go just yet, but didn't want to rush things. He still wasn't sure how he felt about her exactly. "Will I see you tomorrow, Lav?" Seamus asked instead.

"I'll um... be down at the lake with the rest of them in the morning," Lavender said.

"Perhaps I'll see you down there," Seamus said smiling at her.

"Okay," Lavender said, blushing a little. "It was good having you here tonight."

"Likewise," Seamus said, getting to his feet. They both walked out of the restaurant. Harry, Hermione and their children were walking ahead of them.

Seamus stopped suddenly and kissed Lavender on the cheek. "Good night, Lavender."

"Good night Seamus," Lavender smiled back at him.

Seamus started to walk away and he called out to her. "Lavender!"

"Yes?" she turned to look at him.

"You...you looked really nice tonight," Seamus said nervously. He felt like some nervous teenager on his first date.

"Thanks," Lavender said. "You look great too Seamus. You really clean up well." she teased gently.

"I picked up a thing or two from this girl I used to date," Seamus said grinning back at her.

"I'm a very good influence." Lavender giggled.

Seamus laughed. "So I've heard. Good night, Miss Brown."

"Good night Mr. Finnigan," Lavender returned the kiss on his cheek.

*** *** ***

At around six the following evening, Allison turned the corner and saw Josh sitting on the front steps of the cabin with Jon. She had hoped that she wouldn't run into Josh, but she had wanted to return Jon's jumper. She thought about turning around and walking away when Jon looked up to see her.

"Hi," Allison said, walking toward them.

"Hey!" Jon beamed.

"I'm sorry to come by now," Allison said. "I know your brother and sister are arriving soon, but I wanted to return your jumper."

"Thanks," Jon gave her a quick, shy kiss on the cheek.

Allison blushed. "Thanks again for letting me borrow it last night. That was really sweet of you, Jon."

"Well you were cold," Jon said modestly. "So um... what's going on with you?"

"Nothing much," Allison said, trying to ignore Josh who was glaring at her and Jon. "You look really nice tonight, Jon. Green has always been a great colour on you."

"Hey thanks a lot," he replied. "You too, you always look nice though."

From his seat on the porch swing, Josh tried hard not to listen to what his brother and Allison were saying. He hoped Allison wasn't buying any of what Jon was saying.

Allie giggled and hit him playfully on the arm. "You always say that, Jon. I just might start believing you."

"Good," Jon said. "So listen... Chiaki told me that Toshio's coming in to see her and she wants us to double tomorrow night..."

"She mentioned it to me earlier," Allison said, smiling at him. "I couldn't believe she'd actually want us to come along, but I can't think of anything more I'd rather do. I-I really like spending time with you, Jon."

"Same here," Jon said eagerly. "So is that a yes then?'

"That's a definite yes," Allison said, hugging him. "I'll let you get back to your family. Give Maddie and R.J. a big hug and kiss from me."

"Okay," Jon said. "I'll uh... I'll see you tomorrow then?" he asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Allison said. "Have a good evening, Jon." She looked at Josh before walking away. "You too, Josh."

"Yeah," Josh muttered.

"What's your problem?" Jon asked as he rejoined his brother on the porch.

"You," Josh snapped angrily.

"Me?" Jon asked, staring at him in disbelief. "I haven't done anything to you. And you certainly didn't need to act so surly with Allie. She was trying to be polite."

"How would you know?" Josh asked. "You just started liking Allie when we got here so how do you know what she's like?"

Jon threw his jumper at his brother. "You don't know how long I've liked Allie! For your information, I've always thought she was pretty and nice and sweet."

"Too sweet for you," Josh answered grumpily.

Jon ducked as Josh threw the jumper back at him. The jumper hit Ginny Malfoy square on the face. Nick tried not to laugh as his mother scowled at the red-headed twins.

"What were your names again?" Ginny asked, throwing the jumper back at Jon. "Jerry? Jimmy?"

"That's Jon," Nick pointed. "And that's Josh."

"Whatever," Ginny said dismissively. "Is my mother here yet?"

"No, Nana's not here," Jon answered.

Ginny rolled her eyes. She'd had to tell Draco that she and Nick were going into town for dinner.

"Will you show me inside?" Ginny asked, offering her hand to Jon who stared at her for a moment before opening up the door and ushering her inside.

Nick noticed Josh glaring at him and he smiled warmly at his cousin. "Good evening, Josh."

"Hi," Josh muttered.

Nick sat down beside him. "I'm really nervous about meeting my grandmother. I heard Jon call her 'Nana'. Is that what all of you call her?"

"Yeah," Josh said. "That's what she wants us to call her."

"My dad's mother doesn't want to be called Grandmother or anything like it," Nick said conversationally. "I've only met her a few times, but each time I did, she insisted I call her Narcissa."

"Why?" Josh asked.

"She thinks it makes her sound old," Nick said with a laugh.

"Oh," Josh replied, trying to stay cool with him.

"She's actually quite scary," Nick said. "The first time I ever met her I think I was six years old. She came to our flat in Sydney and she was dressed entirely in black. I screamed and ran to hide behind Greta."

Josh smiled despite himself. "Nana's not like that at all."

"So I guess I won't be screaming and hiding behind Uncle Ron when I see her then?" Nick joked.

"No," Josh said. "She'll probably just hug you a lot."

"I think I can handle that," Nick said. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell Julie about me acting like such a coward when I was six, Josh...Did I say something wrong?"

Josh shrugged, not wanting to be a brat.

"Are you sure?" Nick asked. "Julie's told me what a great kid you are."

"A kid?" Josh couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I can't believe she thinks I'm a KID."

Nick could tell he'd said the wrong thing, but he didn’t know exactly what it was.

"Well, yeah," Nick said quickly. "She said you've always been a great friend to her, especially helping her with Ethan."

Josh snorted in reply.

Suddenly it all seemed clear to Nick. "Josh? Do you have some sort of crush on Julie?"

"What's it to you?" Josh muttered.

Nick felt a little uncomfortable talking about this, but thought he had to clear the air since he and Josh were cousins and he didn't want any bad blood between them.

"Julie and I are seeing each other," Nick said quietly.

"Tell me something I don't know," he replied sullenly.

"Josh, I'm sorry about this. I didn't know you fancied her," Nick said sincerely.

"Yeah well you were the only one." Josh said.

"I'm used to being the last one to know," Nick said. "So, um, how long have you liked her?"

"A long time! Since I was eleven," he retorted.

"Easy, easy," Nick said, not wanting anyone inside to hear them. The last thing he needed was for his mother to come out here. "She is four years older than you though, Josh."

"Yeah I know," Josh said.

"Aren't there any girls your own age that you fancy?" Nick asked.

Josh shrugged. "Not really," he lied, as he thought about Allie.

"I wish I knew what to say to you," Nick said. "I didn't know that you had feelings for her, Josh. But, um, I can certainly see why you'd like her. She's pretty fantastic."

"She is," Josh said resignedly.

"And she really does think the world of you, Josh," Nick continued. "I know that you don't want to hear any of this, Josh. But, I really would appreciate it if you wouldn't mention anything about Julie and me in front of my parents."

"Why not?" he asked curiously.

"My dad doesn't want me dating Harry Potter's daughter basically," Nick replied.

"Oh," Josh said. "Okay... I won't say anything."

"Thanks," Nick said.

Jon opened up the door and smiled at Nick. "Nana's here."

Nick got up nervously and approached the door. An older redheaded woman was hugging his mother tightly, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Ginevra!" Molly cried, hugging her. "I missed you so much, sweetheart!"

"Mum..." Ginny was struggling to breathe.

"I didn't think I'd ever see you again," Molly said, reluctantly letting her go. "Look at what a beautiful woman you are! Isn't your sister beautiful, Ronald?"

"Yeah," Ron said, hoping she'd watch what she said. "Mum... this is Nick." he motioned for his nephew to step into the room.

"Nick?" Molly said hopefully, looking around the crowded room for her grandson. "Where is he?"

"Hi," Nick said, shyly edging over.

Molly's lower lip began to tremble as she took in the grandson she'd never met. She slowly made her way over to him and gave him a patented Molly Weasley hug.

Nick tried to hug the older woman back but his arms were pinned down to the side. "It's nice to meet you," he said.

Molly sobbed and hugged him tightly.

"It's official," Ron said, hugging Luna. "He's officially been welcomed to the family."

Molly let go of Nick and smiled through her tears.

"I'm sorry we haven't met before," Nick said.

"That doesn't matter now," Molly said, smiling at him. She looked over her shoulder at Ginny. "I'm so glad that you're both here now. That's all that matters."

"Right," Ginny forced a smile onto her face. "So this is... Maxine?"

"This is Madeline," Luna said, stepping forward with the blonde four year old. "We call her Maddie."

"And this is R.J.," Drew said, holding her little brother.

"Hi Maddie," Nick grinned. "Hi R.J."

"Would you like to hold him?" Drew asked her cousin. "He's really heavy though."

"Sure," Nick took the baby into his arms. "He's really cute."

"Sure he is," Ginny patted his head. "Well we wish we could stay..."

Molly frowned. "You're not leaving, are you Ginny? We have so much to catch up on."

"Well..." Ginny shifted uncomfortably. "Draco doesn't know we're here and..."

"I don't understand," Molly said, looking from Ginny to Ron and back to Nick. "Ginny, please don't go yet. It's been so long..."

"I'm sure you can stay for a few minutes," Luna said coolly.

"Okay," Ginny finally said. Although she had a feeling that this wasn't the best idea, she stepped forward and hugged her mother again. "I can stay a little longer."

"How gracious of you," Luna said, quietly and coldly.

"I wish Arthur could have been here to meet you, Nick," Molly said. "But, I told him that he'll have many more opportunities to see you now."

"Oh I thought he was coming..." Nick said, bouncing R.J. gently in his arms as Maddie stared at him with wide eyes.

"He had an emergency raid," Molly explained. "Nick you look exactly like your father."

"Thanks," the smile dropped momentarily from his face.

"And Ronald tells me that you're a musician," Molly said, sitting down beside him on the sofa.

"Yeah," Nick sat next to her. "I sing with my band, but I think we're going to break up when I get back. I'd rather work on my own."

"I thought you were going to go to University," Ginny said, sitting down on the other side of her mother. "Your father wanted you to follow in his footsteps. We let you go on about this music nonsense for long enough..."

"I don't want to be a healer, and I'm not going into this now," Nick looked at his mother.

"I know this is a bit early, but I do hope that you'll join us for Christmas at the Burrow," Molly said. "We'd love to have you and you'd get the chance to meet your uncles and your other cousins."

"Sure!" Nick accepted instantly. "I'd love to go."

"That invitation is for you and Draco as well," Molly said, smiling at Ginny. "We'd love for all three of you to be there."

"We'll have to see," Ginny said. "We usually head for the Gold Coast at Christmas."

"Oh," Molly said, trying to hide her disappointment. "Well, I really do hope you'll try."

Luna could barely contain her anger. "Can you believe her?” Luna hissed to Ron.

"I know," Ron said with disappointment. He'd hoped against hope that seeing their mother would help Ginny realise how bad her life with Malfoy really was but it looked like she was completely brainwashed.

"If it wasn't for Nick and your mother I'd kick her out of this cabin," Luna said angrily.

Ron hugged Maddie tighter. "Let's just be glad she showed up at all..." he said quietly.

"I missed you Daddy," Maddie said sleepily, resting her head on Ron's shoulder.

"I missed you too sweetheart," Ron kissed his daughter's head. "We got your picture last week."

"It was a picture of you eating a chocolate frog," Maddie explained.

Ron began to laugh. "I see," he said as Luna tried to reign in her giggles. "Well it certainly looked... lifelike sweetheart. I loved it."

"I drew Mummy one too, but I left it at the Burrow," Maddie said, yawning.

"Well I certainly can't wait to see it," Luna stroked her daughter's hair.

"I would have thought Harry and Hermione would have been here," Molly said. "Have you seen them since you arrived, Ginny?"

"Unfortunately," Ginny replied. "We don't get along Mum, or have you forgotten what they did to me."

"They didn't do anything to you, Ginny!" Luna exclaimed. She'd had just about enough of Ginny. "Or have you forgotten how you framed Harry for those thefts?"

"I'm not getting into this now," Ginny tossed her red hair impatiently.

Luna sighed and shook her head. Out of respect for Molly, she backed off. "I think I'll just put Maddie to bed."

"Sounds good," Ron kissed his daughter goodnight. "Nick, mind helping Luna with R.J.?"

"Of course," Nick said, gingerly getting to his feet and following Luna into one of the bedrooms.

"He's such a great boy," Molly said to Ginny. "And such a natural with R.J."

"I don't know why," Ginny replied. "It's not like he's had anyone to practise on..."

"He's just a natural," Molly said, smiling at Ginny.

"Right," Ginny said. "Well Mum, it's really been good to see you again..."

"Ginny," Molly said. "I'm not going to be here much longer. Please. Stay."

"But do what Mum?" Ginny asked impatiently, examining her nails.

"Talk, catch up," Molly answered. "I want to hear all about Australia."

"There's not a whole lot to tell," Ginny said. "It's great down there. Draco and I love it."

"What do you do in Australia, Aunt Ginny?" Darla asked, smiling at her.

"I uh..." Ginny looked at the young girl. "Well... Darlene, I'm a socialite." she smiled as if it was a huge accomplishment.

"What's a social light?" Darla asked, ignoring the fact that her aunt had just called her by the incorrect name.

"I go to parties," Ginny explained, not looking at Ron. "I make donations to charities in mine and Draco's name." she felt stupid for trying to explain things to a young child. "You'll understand as you grow up Darlene."

"Her name's Darla," Molly whispered to Ginny. "Not Darlene."

"Darla, Darlene..." Ginny waved her hand impatiently. "Same thing."

"No, actually it's not," Ron said, trying not to get angry. "So, let me get this straight. You go to parties? That's what you do? You don't work? You don't have a proper job?"

"I don't NEED a job," Ginny glared at Ron. "My husband makes more than enough money to support ALL of us."

"I don't remember asking your husband for a handout," Ron said coldly.

"Ronald, Ginny...please don't fight," Molly said pleadingly. "This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

"It's hard to be happy when everyone always insults the man I love," Ginny snapped. "If you all could at least accept him then you'd see us a lot more." it was an empty promise and she knew it, but couldn't help throwing the words at her mother and brother.

"We've never done or said anything to you to imply that he wasn't welcome," Molly said truthfully, stung by Ginny's words. "The moment he married you, Ginny---he became a part of our family. I've written to you over the years asking for you to come home. I've never written or said anything to imply that he wasn't welcome."

"It's the way you all act," Ginny got to her feet.

"I promise when you come for Christmas, everyone will be on their best behaviour," Molly said quickly. "It's going to be so much fun having all of us under one roof again. We can make those biscuits that you always liked, Ginny."

"If I come home," Ginny said. "I never said we'd actually come."

Molly stared at Ginny in disbelief. Ron couldn't take it anymore and crossed the room.

"Mum? Do you mind if I steal Ginny away for a moment?" Ron asked, not waiting for an answer. Forcefully, he took hold of Ginny's arm and led her out to the porch.

"Ouch!" Ginny pulled away.

"You're unbelievable!" Ron hissed at her. "Do you have any idea what you're doing? Do you even care?"

"Doing what?" Ginny shot back. "Defending myself and my husband? I don't see what's wrong with that!"

"Breaking your mother's heart all over again, Ginny!" Ron yelled at her. "That's what you're doing! I won't lie to you. The last thing in the world that I want to do is spend any holiday with your husband. But, because it would mean so much to Mum, I'd get through it. I'd be cordial, polite. But, you can't even be bothered, can you?"

Ginny turned away from him. "I don't want to hurt her all right? That's NOT what I'm trying to do here!"

"You could have fooled me!" Ron said sarcastically.

"Ron!" Ginny faced him, her eyes blazing. "I'm not the same person anymore all right? I'd appreciate if you all didn't expect me to be that sweet senseless ninny I used to be."

"What was so wrong with her?" Ron asked her. "She cared about people. She loved her parents and her family and valued their feelings. That girl was my sister. I don't even know who you are anymore."

"So why do you keep pushing it?" Ginny asked coolly.

"Because like it or not, we're family," Ron reminded her. "And it's what Mum wants. She doesn't care who you are, Ginny. She just wants you to be there. That's all she's ever wanted. Did you see what happened tonight when she met Nick for the first time? Don't tell me that didn't affect you, Ginny."

"What, watching my son show you all more affection than he's ever shown me? Don't worry, I'm used to it." Ginny replied.

"Do you ever wonder why?" Ron asked her. "Why he cares more about Greta than he does about you? You've never been there for him a minute of his life, Ginny. You and Malfoy only seem to remember he is your son when it's convenient or beneficial for you."

"So what?" Ginny said bitterly. "Why do you even care?"

"Because no matter what's happened, I still love you Ginny," Ron said truthfully. "You're my sister. No matter what you say, I know that you do care. You wouldn't have come here tonight if you didn't."

Ginny exhaled. "Nick wanted to come, and all right, I wanted to see Mum. But that's the only reason! So don't stand here and get all mushy with me now Ronald when you haven't made any effort over the past twenty years."

"I sent you cards every Christmas and on your birthdays," Ron reminded her. "I sent you pictures of the children. Don't tell me that I didn't make an effort."

"You know, I'm really tired," Ginny had enough. "I think Nicholas and I will leave now."

Ron sighed. "Go ahead and run away, Ginny. Go ahead and run away like you always do. But you go back in there and say a proper goodbye to Mum."

"Fine," Ginny pushed past him roughly. "Nicholas, we're leaving."

Nick was sitting on the sofa looking at photographs with Molly when Ginny came back inside.

"You're leaving?" Molly asked, looking up in surprise. "But you just got here!"

"We've already been here awhile," Ginny abruptly kissed her mother on the cheek. "Come on Nicholas, say goodbye to everyone."

Nick didn't appreciate his mother treating him like a dog, but he certainly didn't want to get into a row in front of his grandmother. He handed Molly back the photo album.

"I guess we have to go," he said apologetically to Molly.

"Nick dear, you don't be a stranger," Molly touched his cheek. "I've been wanting to meet you for a long time now."

"I won't, Nana," Nick said, hugging her tightly. "And we'll see each other at Christmas, right?"

"Right love," Molly was so happy her grandson was such a handsome and nice young man. "And you'll owl me?"

"I will," Nick promised. "Thank you for inviting me, Uncle Ron. Aunt Luna. Good night, everyone."

"Goodnight Nick," everyone's response to him was enthusiastic, but their goodbyes to Ginny were just a muttering.

"So Nana told me something interesting in there," Nick said as his mother purposefully strode down the path.

"Really," Ginny said dismissively, looking at her watch.

"Yeah," Nick said testily. "She told me she's owled me at my birthday, Easter, and Christmas every year. Why haven't I ever heard about this?"

Ginny tensed up and stopped walking. "Your father thought it would be best if you didn't see her cards and letters."

"So you just let him make that decision for me?" Nick snapped.

"I-I saved them all for you," Ginny admitted. "If you want to read them now, you can. Don't look at me like that, Nicholas. You wouldn't have understood. Your father was only thinking of you when he made that decision."

"My arse," Nick spat. "My whole life until I got here I believed that my family didn't care about me. Now that I've met almost everyone I see what you and my father have kept me out of."

"They're only acting that way because they want to take you from me," Ginny said weakly.

"No one has to take me from anyone," Nick replied coldly.

Ginny reached out to put a hand on Nick's arm, but he shrugged her away. "You're never going to be anything but a Malfoy to them, Nicholas. Need I remind you that Harry Potter himself was responsible for putting your Grandfather away in Azkaban?"

"Will you get OVER that?" Nick shouted. "You dragged me here for what you figured would be some stupid bonding experience between us! Instead, you tell me lies and stories about people who have been nothing but nice to me since we met. Then I meet a girl who actually likes me for me and not because of my name, and you and dad tell me that because YOU TWO tried to frame her father, I'm not fucking allowed to see her!" his temper had finally snapped. "You think that coming here together was going to make us get close? It's TOO LATE FOR THAT!"

"I understand that you're upset," Ginny said calmly. "But there are two sides to every story, Nicholas. You don't know what it was like back then for your father and me."

"I imagine it was just awful," Nick said sarcastically.

"It was," Ginny said defensively. "I spent so many years infatuated with Harry and he just threw me over for that...girl. I had to get back at him for what he did to humiliate me, Nicholas."

"You're pathetic," Nick sneered. "I'm so glad I didn't turn out like you or my father."

Ginny laughed. "You are like us, Nicholas. You're like us more than you know."

"I am not!" Nick snapped.

"Now who's lying?" Ginny asked him, raising an eyebrow at him. "You're a Malfoy, Nicholas. Not a Weasley. And certainly not a Potter."

"It's just a fucking name," Nick replied. "Not a way of life. You'd do well to remember that more than me."

Ginny sighed impatiently. "Can we please just get back to the cabin? Your father is going to get suspicious."

"Merlin forbid you tell the man you LOVE the truth," Nick said disgustedly.

"You know how he is about my family," Ginny said, rolling her eyes. "He wouldn't understand why I wanted to see them tonight. It's best just to keep quiet about this."

"Whatever," Nick said, walking ahead of her. "I don't care what the two of you do."

They walked in silence most of the way with Nick keeping a quick pace ahead of his mother.

"It was nice of you to humour Mum that way," Ginny finally said. "When you said you'd see her at Christmas."

"Humour her?" Nick asked dryly. "I'm GOING to see them at Christmas."

"No, you won't," Ginny said pointedly. "Besides, don't you always spend the holiday with Greta or something?"

"She can come with me," Nick replied impatiently.

"Not if she's working," Ginny said, breezing past him.

"Stop using Greta to get me to do what you want!" Nick shouted.

"She's the only one you care about," Ginny said, sobbing dramatically. "She's the one you care about more than your own mother!"

"I wonder why," Nick said.

"Can we please not get into this now?" Ginny asked as they rounded the corner.

"Now's as good a time as any," Nick refused to go for her alligator tears.

"Nicholas," Ginny said, wiping her eyes. "Please, I'm begging you. Don't tell your father about any of this."

"FINE!" Nick roared. "But then you better start leaving me alone about who I choose to be friends with around here!"

"I'll make a deal with you," Ginny said. "You don't tell your father about this and I'll let you see the cards and letters that Mum sent you. I'll send for them straightaway."

"Whatever," Nick rolled his eyes. "If you leave me alone about who I'm seen with around here..." his eyes were hard as he stared at his mother.

"You don't want me to tell your father that you're still seeing that girl?" Ginny asked, knowing full well that was indeed what her son wanted.

"I'm not seeing her," Nick lied. "You two made sure of that."

"Okay," Ginny said, unconvinced. "Have it your way. I'll keep your secret, if you keep mine."

"Fine," Nick said shortly.

Ginny walked up the steps to the cabin and noticed that Nick wasn't behind her. "Where are you going?"

"Out for a walk," he said. "You going to follow and spy on me to make sure I'm not with a Potter?"

"No," Ginny said. "Just don't be too late."

"Why should you care how late I am?" he asked.

"Because I'm your mother," Ginny said, but her words fell on deaf ears as Nick had already walked away.

12. Falling For You

A/N: Thank you all for your reviews last chapter- you Nick/Julie and Jon/Allie fans should DEFINITELY enjoy this one. It’s also a cute one for you H/Hr fans, which we think we’re safe in assuming is all of you ;)

Also, a very Happy Birthday to Hermione Potter ;) Hope you had a great day hon!! :D

Falling for You - Jem

Said there'd be no going back
Promised myself I'd never be that sad
Maybe that's why you've come along
To show me, it's not always bad

Coz I can feel it, baby
I feel like I'm falling for you
But I'm scared to, let go
I'm scared coz my heart has been hurt so

It's true I've become a skeptic
How many couples really love
Just wish I had a crystal ball
To show me, if it's worth it all

Coz I can feel it, baby
I feel like I'm falling for you
But I'm scared to, let go
I'm scared coz my heart has been hurt so
Yeah I can feel it, baby
I feel like I'm falling for you
But I'm scared to, let go
I'm scared coz my heart has been hurt so

Julie was excited. Toshio was waiting in the other room with Neville and Cho while she, Allie and Chiaki were getting ready for their triple date. "How does this look?" she emerged from the closet.

"Very nice," Chiaki said, smiling at her. "But you might want to cut off the price tag."

Julie turned red. "Right," she pulled the sticker off her new form fitting white sundress.

Allison giggled. "It looks really pretty on you, Julie."

"Thanks Allie." she smiled at the younger girl. "Are you excited?"

Allison nodded. "It's my first proper date. Mostly, I've just gone out on group things. I really appreciate you letting Jon and me tag along."

"I think it's cute," Chiaki teased. "My little sister on her first date..."

Allison blushed. "Chiaki, please promise me you're not going to keep saying that the entire night!"

Julie laughed at them. "Once she and Toshio get away from your parents they won't even come up for air Allie. You know that as well as I do."

"Like you and Nick won't be snogging all night either," Chiaki teased.

"We haven't snogged yet," Julie said defensively. "We've kissed a few times but we haven't snogged."

"You can tell me, Jules," Chiaki said, putting some lip gloss on Allie. "I'm not your parents. You can lie to them, but not to me."

"Chiaki!" Julie exclaimed. "I just told you the truth!"

"This from the same girl who didn't tell me when she had her first kiss from Tommy Tinsley until two months after it happened," Chiaki related with a grin to Allison.

"Well that's because it was gross," Julie sat down next to them and looked at her reflection in the mirror. "He slobbered all over me. Not a memorable first kiss."

"You still should have told me straightaway," Chiaki said. "Not to mention the fact that you didn't even tell me that you were thinking of moving in with Ryan."

"Well we know what a mistake THAT would have been." Julie said.

"It really was a shame, though," Allison said thoughtfully. "He was really nice. Well, until you told him who we all really were."

"Yeah," Julie didn't want to think about Ryan. "I wish my hair was straight like yours Chiaki." she pulled on her slightly bushy strands.

"Your hair looks really lovely the way it is," Chiaki said, winking at her.

"Are you sure?" Julie asked nervously.

"Yes," Chiaki and Allison echoed.

"Okay," she replied, putting on some lip gloss. "I think I'm ready..."

"Isn't that your mum's locket?" Allison asked as she watched Julie clasp it around her neck.

"Yeah she told me I could borrow it tonight," Julie fingered the delicate silver jewellery. "It's her favourite thing my dad gave her, aside from her engagement and wedding rings of course."

"It's really beautiful," Allison said, looking at it admiringly.

Julie smiled. "Yeah it is,"

"Well, let's go ladies," Chiaki said, grabbing a jumper in case it got colder. "Our blokes await us..."

Julie was glad she also had a matching jumper, as she used it to wipe her sweaty hands on.

"I guess we're meeting Nick at the restaurant?" Chiaki guessed. "I suppose you don't want to be seen leaving the grounds together."

"Yeah," Julie said a bit glumly. It would have been nice to be escorted like Chiaki and Allison but she knew it was the price she had to pay for the time being.

"It's going to be okay," Chiaki said, patting Julie on the back. "We'll have a blast tonight."

"I know," Julie said, as her stomach fluttered.

Chiaki opened up the bedroom door and saw that her father was talking animatedly with Toshio. Cho was laughing at something Jon had said. Frankie was sulking on the sofa beside her father.

"I still don't understand why I don't get to go!" Frankie said crossly.

"Sweetheart, you're too young to date," Cho said. "But you get to stay here with me and Dad. We'll find something fun to do!"

"I'm not too young!" Frankie protested. "I'm 12!"

"That's too young," Chiaki kissed her fiancé hello. "Mum and Dad didn't let me date until I was 16."

"But Allie's only 15!" Frankie retorted. "She should have to wait another year!"

"We're making an exception," Neville said firmly. "And you will wait as well young lady."

"Daddy, you're no fun!' Frankie said, folding her arms across her chest. "No fun at all!"

"I'm sorry about that," Neville said, used to Frankie wanting to be treated as older than she actually was.

"You look really pretty, Al," Jon said, stepping forward. He handed Allison a single, pink carnation. "My mum thought you might like this."

"Thanks Jon," Allison turned pink. "It's really nice."

Julie grinned at Cho who was beaming at Jon and Allie.

"Mum, you're not going to cry or want to take pictures are you?" Allison whispered to Cho.

"Well that does sound like a good idea," Cho said. "Neville did we bring our camera?"

"No!" Allie said, turning crimson. "Dad, it's okay. We don't need the camera!"

Neville chuckled. "I hid it earlier today," he whispered.

"Thank you," Allison mouthed to her father.

"Don't worry, Allie," Julie said. "Your parents couldn't begin to top mine when I went on my first date. My dad took this poor 16-year old boy into the sitting room and quizzed him for nearly an hour about what his intentions toward me were."

Cho began to laugh. "I remember that," she said.

"We should really get going," Chiaki was eager to be alone with Toshio.

"Okay," Cho said, kissing Allison on the cheek. "Have a good time and don't keep your sister out too late, Chiaki."

"Okay Mum," Chiaki said impatiently. The five of them left the cabin, chatting excitedly about their evening.

"Nana really took to Nick last night," Jon told Julie.

"Oh really?" she asked.

"Aye," Jon said. "But my Aunt Ginny was another story."

"Isn't she though," Julie rolled her eyes.

Allison noticed that Jon had taken her hand and she smiled shyly at him. "It must have been nice to have Maddie and R.J. back, eh?"

"It's crazy," Jon laughed.

"Maddie is so sweet though," Julie thought of the little four year old, with her big blue eyes and blond curls.

"She kept asking where you were this morning," Jon told Julie. "Told me to tell you to come and see her."

"I will tomorrow I promise," Julie said.

"Where are we going exactly?" Allison asked Chiaki.

"That restaurant over there," Chiaki nodded to it.

"I hope Nick's already here," Julie said. "I haven't seen him all day."

"I saw him this morning at breakfast," Allie said. "He was eating with his father."

"We're trying to avoid one another at the resort during the daytime," Julie explained.

"There he is," Chiaki said, motioning toward the benches in front of the restaurant.

Julie broke out in a grin as she saw him. "Hey," she greeted him. "Sorry we're a little late..."

"No problem," he said, pecking her on the cheek. "You look fantastic."

"Thank you," she said. He handed her a small bouquet of flowers. "Oh Nick they're gorgeous!"

"Somehow I take it his mum didn't tell him they'd be a good idea," Jon whispered to Allison who giggled.

"Thank you," Julie leaned in to kiss him on the cheek but he turned and she got his lips instead.

Chiaki and Toshio laughed while Jon and Allison blushed.

"Sorry," Nick said, when he pulled away from her. "It's just it’s so good to see you after the day from hell I had."

"What happened?" Chiaki asked curiously.

"Oh, my father has suddenly decided that I'm supposed to follow in his footsteps," Nick replied. "I thought I'd gotten him off my back about all of that, but he's wanting us to open our own practise together in Sydney. I'd rather eat a blast-ended skrewt than do that."

Julie shook her head. "Why has he suddenly taken an interest in you?" she asked as they settled in their booth. "I mean, you told me that he normally doesn't even give you the time of day..."

"They don't," Nick said. "I'm just as confused as you are. All of a sudden they both care about what I do, who I see, what I say..."

"Probably because they want to make sure you're not seeing me," Julie said.

"Well, lucky for us I don't care what they want," Nick said, putting an arm around her as they sat back in the booth.

Julie smiled at him. "Okay then," she said.

"How are the swimming lessons coming?" Nick asked her, hoping to steer the conversation away from his parents.

"They're great," Julie smiled. "Ethan wants you to come help out again but I told him you had to spend time with your family. My dad keeps him pretty distracted."

"I really miss spending time with him," Nick said. "He's really a great kid."

"You're pretty great too," Julie replied, turning a little pink at her words.

Nick smiled. "Likewise."

"So as cute as you two are, you're not the only ones at the table," Chiaki teased.

"You're lucky you're my sister," Nick replied.

"Ha," Chiaki laughed.

After everyone had placed their orders, the three couples divided into their own conversations.

"So how was it meeting your grandmother last night?" Julie asked Nick.

"Oh it was great," Nick replied. "She's really nice- I can't see how my mother turned out so horribly. Within two seconds of meeting me she had me in a death grip hug."

Julie giggled. "Couldn't breathe, could you? She's really great for those."

"How often do you see them?" Nick asked. "I wish I could have met my grandfather too."

"We see them pretty often," Julie replied. "They're like my dad's surrogate parents."

"You're lucky," Nick said softly.

Julie held his hand under the table. "Well, now you have them in your life, too."

Nick squeezed her fingers. "Things are definitely looking up... now I only need to get my parents off my back about all this."

Julie nodded. She'd spent her life being raised by supportive, caring parents. She couldn't imagine what this was like for Nick.

"Why don't you move to London?" Chiaki suggested. She couldn't help but overhear their conversation. "You'd get to see us more often."

"Move to London?" Nick asked, wondering why that hadn't occurred to him before. "That'd definitely make things a bit easier on us," he looked at Julie.

"And you could stay with Nana and Grandpa until you found your own place," Jon chimed in. "They'd love it."

"It's definitely an idea," Nick said. "I'll look into it after holiday is over."

"Great," Chiaki said, grinning at him. "No matter where you are, though. You are coming to my wedding."

"That's a deal," Nick agreed.

"You'll get to see me in that wonderful orange, taffeta, chiffon, puffy set of robes that Chiaki picked out," Julie said, shuddering. "I'm trying to get her to change her mind, though."

"I like those robes!" Chiaki said defensively.

"Come on Chi, we look like pumpkins," Allison chimed in.

"No one looks good in orange," Julie said. "No one."

"I do," Chiaki said proudly.

"Yes, but you aren't wearing an orange wedding dress or orange dress robes, are you?" Julie asked her.

"Well no..." Chiaki began.

"I still think a nice, simple pink set of robes would be lovely," Allison said.

"Now that's what I'm talking about," Julie said, smiling across the table at Allison. "Those would be perfect!"

"Hey who's the bride here?" Chiaki asked.

"Sweetheart, if they're wearing them what's the big deal in letting them pick out what they like." Toshio asked carefully.

"My colours are orange and ivory," Chiaki said. "If they wear pink, it will throw things off completely."

"Orange and ivory?" Nick asked. "Those two colours should never go together."

"Thank you," Allison said. "See? Chi, you're outnumbered here."

Chiaki sighed. "We'll TALK about it when we get back," she said.

"Fine," Julie said. "But please take into account that you want your wedding pictures to look nice, too."

"I know," Chiaki said. "We'll talk about it back in London."

"Fair enough," Julie said.

The dinner passed by quickly, everyone talking and laughing. Nick was glad he'd come, he hadn't had this good a time since and Julie had gone out the first time.

"I promised Mum I'd get Allie and Jon back to the resort before 10," Chiaki said. "Do you mind if we head on out and meet up with you later?"

"No that's fine," Julie said. "We don't mind, do we?" she looked at Nick.

"No," Nick said, smiling back at her. Although he'd had fun with everyone else, he was looking forward to some alone time with Julie. "How about we go over to that coffee house down the street, Jules?"

"That sounds great," Julie replied.

A few minutes later, Julie and Nick were seated inside the small coffee house at one of the back tables.

"Let me guess," Nick said smiling at her. "You look like a cappuccino kind of girl."

Julie laughed. "Good guess," she teased.

"It's a gift," Nick said with a laugh.

Julie watched him order their drinks and then come back to the table. "This is nice," she said. "Just being out, like we're a normal couple..."

"We ARE a normal couple," Nick said.

"Normal as we can be," Julie said. "Normal couples don't have to sneak around to spend time together."

"Your parents did, didn't they?" Nick asked her.

"Yes," Julie said. "And they weren't normal either," she laughed.

"So we're in good company," he said.

"Right," Julie reached for his hand. "Thank you again for the flowers. They really are beautiful."

"I thought you might like them," Nick said. "It seemed like the normal thing to do."

Julie laughed. "Normal is overrated. I like being out of the ordinary."

Nick looked at her in surprise. "I thought you would have been the straight-arrow, normal kind of girl."

"Well kind of," Julie said modestly. "I like to do things on my own, I like taking the hard road because the reward is greater at the end. Kind of like my mum, being the first ever female Minister for Magic as well as the youngest at that."

"How has that been for your parents?" Nick asked her. In addition to his father droning on and on about Nick being a healer, he'd also said some disdainful remarks about Hermione being Minister for Magic. "Not just for them, but for you and Ethan as well."

She shrugged. "It's hard sometimes to go out, because the photographers for the paper are always on our case, but we manage. It hasn't really affected me or Ethan one way or the other, I don't think."

"At least you've managed to have a quiet, family holiday," Nick said.

"If you want to call this quiet," Julie teased.

Nick laughed. "Well at least you don't have any reporters or photographers following you around."

"Is that normally a problem for you?" she asked.

"Sometimes, it can be," Nick answered. "But like your parents, I'm glad there are no reporters around here. That's all we need, right?"

"Exactly," Julie said as their drinks were brought to the table. "Thanks Nick. You're really spoiling me tonight."

"It's my pleasure," Nick said, smiling at her. "So tell me more about you, Miss Julie."

"What do you want to know?" she asked.

"What do you do for fun when you're not being the Minister's daughter?"

"Chiaki and I like to go out dancing. We usually hit up some clubs once or twice a week," she replied.

"Muggle ones?" Nick asked, before taking a sip of his espresso.

"Sometimes," she replied.

"How many boyfriends have you had?" Nick asked, hoping he wasn't being too forward.

"A fair few," Julie said. "Some good, most bad.... especially my last one."

"What was his name?" Nick asked.

"Ryan," Julie said. "He was a Muggle... so I had to do some quick thinking when it came time for background stuff, and my parents..."

"What did you tell him they did?" Nick asked her.

"That they worked in the government, but I couldn't really talk about it," Julie replied.

"Did your parents like him?"

"Yeah," She nodded. "Everyone did."

"Did you tell him that you were a witch?"

Julie was silent for a minute. "You really want to know everything?"

Nick reached for her hand. "Whatever you feel comfortable telling me..."

"Well... it sort of explains why I was so standoffish to you at first," Julie said.

"It wasn't just that you thought I was an arrogant wanker?" Nick joked.

"Maybe a little," she teased back. "Well... this all sort of happened recently. We started dating at the end of last year, and we were together for about eight months when I finally decided that I could fill him in on what my life was truly like."

"How did you break it to him?" Nick asked her.

"Well... we went out to dinner... this was after I talked about it with my dad to make sure he thought it was okay too... it's such a touchy subject you know- the link between wizards and Muggles. So I told him I had some things to tell him... and while I told him everything he just sat there. I took that as a good sign and so I kept going..."

Nick nodded and waited for her to continue.

"Well... I was wrong. Dead wrong. Soon as I finished, he jumped up and ran out of the restaurant. So I left some money and ran after him- I finally caught up to him in the park." Julie bit her lower lip as she remembered. "He said some really awful things..."

"Like what?" Nick asked, a surge of anger rising in him as he thought of anyone saying anything hurtful to someone as wonderful as Julie.

"Just your run of the mill nonsense about witches and who they really were," she left out the more hurtful things. "To make a long story short- my father had to go memory charm him after I came home in tears."

"I imagine he wanted to do more than memory charm him," Nick said quietly.

"You're not kidding," Julie finished her drink. "But Ryan wasn't worth it, when it came down to the bottom line."

"I imagine it must have been a shock for him to hear that," Nick said carefully. "But if he really loved you, it wouldn't have mattered to him, Jules."

"That's what my Mum said," she replied.

"Do you ever see him around?" Nick asked.

"No," she said. "Even if I did, he wouldn't know who I was..." she looked away.

"It still hurts, doesn't it?" he asked, squeezing her hand.

"Yeah..." she looked back at him and smiled. "But since I met you, it doesn't feel so bad."

He smiled back at her. "Thank you for trusting me to tell me about that, Julie."

Julie leaned over and kissed him. "Thank you for hearing me out."

"It's the least I could do after whining to you about my parents all the time," Nick said softly.

"You aren't whining," Julie said. "Not at all."

"Last night, I wanted to see you so badly," Nick said. "My mother and I had this horrible row..."

"What about?" she asked.

Nick sat back in his chair. "My Nana told me last night that she'd been sending me cards and letters every holiday, every birthday. I never saw one of them, Julie. My Mum hid them from me. Every single one! I grew up thinking her entire family hated me and she had proof that they didn't."

"What?" Julie was shocked. "That... that's just..."

"Wrong?" Nick suggested. "Spiteful? Hateful?"

"All of the above," Julie shook her head. "That's just truly despicable."

"She said it was because my father asked her not to give them to me," Nick said, shaking his head. "When it comes to him, it's almost as if she can't think for herself."

"Obviously not," Julie said. "I'm so sorry Nick."

"I just don't understand why they lied to me this whole time," Nick said. "They told me time and time again that the Weasleys had disowned us. They said they were horrible, judgmental people. Do you know in the few days I've known my Uncle Ron, he's acted more like a parent than either of them."

"I'm not surprised," Julie said. "He's always treated me like another daughter."

Nick nodded. "Last night, my mum said that I was more like she and Dad than I realised. What if she's right, Julie? What if deep down, I'm exactly like they are?"

"But you're not Nick," Julie said, leaning forward. "When have you ever been like them? I haven't known you very long, but you don't seem the type."

"I know I've said this before, but if it weren't for Greta...I would have been like them. My father's been involved in some really dark things, Julie. He tried to get me to come along, too, but I refused. I was just a kid, you know? That sort of thing scared me to death. Do you know what he said to me? He said I was weak and a coward and a disgrace to the Malfoy name."

"You're not a disgrace," Julie said firmly.

"That's what Greta said, too," Nick said, with a small smile. "She said I was strong for standing up against something I didn't believe in. I wasn't strong, though. I was scared."

"But you said you didn't want to get involved," Julie said. "That in itself is strong."

Nick shrugged. "I guess..."

"Nick," Julie reached for his hand again. "Come on, let's go for a walk. Maybe we'll wind back up at that little cove that you showed me the other day..."

"Sure," Nick said, smiling at her.

"Great," Julie said as they left.

"It's a nice night, isn't it?" Nick asked as they walked down the sidewalk.

"Yes it is," Julie leaned against him. "It's nicer since we got to get out by ourselves too."

"Your parents don't hate me, do they?" Nick asked her softly. "Since I've asked you to keep us a secret?"

"They understand better than anyone," Julie assured him.

"Good," Nick said, relaxing. "I really like your family."

"They really like you too," she grinned at him.

"Would you be okay with me living in London?" he asked her. "I noticed you didn't say much when I talked about it earlier."

"I think it'd be great," Julie said. "Especially after what we said the other day about wanting to stay together after we leave here." she let out an embarrassed laugh. "Another reason why I tried to distance myself from you at first was because I thought you wouldn't want to continue this past Hillsdale."

Nick debated on whether or not he should tell her this, but he decided since she'd been so honest with him, it was the least he could do. "Truth be told, Julie? I wasn't looking for something long-term when I first saw you," he said quietly.

"No?" she asked, a slight tremble in her voice.

He shook his head. "But that was before I was able to get to know you. The more I'm with you, the more I want to see where this goes. I've never actually had a girlfriend that lasted more than a couple of weeks. The past few years, I've not really been able to date anyone period. I've been so busy with the music and everything, that there wasn't any time."

"And now that's changed?" she asked.

He nodded. "I think so. I think about you all the time. When we're together, I feel happier than I can ever remember feeling. If it weren't for you and the Weasleys, I would have left Hillsdale a long time ago."

Julie smiled. "I think about you all the time too," she admitted shyly.

"You do?" Nick said, nudging her.

"Yes," she bumped his shoulder.

"Careful," Nick teased. "I am very famous. You don't want to cause me harm, do you Madam?"

"Oh that's it," she laughed. "Play the celebrity card. I'm so not impressed with you anymore."

"Come on, Julie Potter," Nick said dramatically. "Loads of girls would be fawning all over themselves dying to be in your position."

"Not me," she played along. "Both my parents are famous," she deadpanned. "I grew up with celebrities around."

"You mean to tell me that you're not after me for my fame, fortune and all-around good looks?" Nick asked her. "Say it isn't so!"

"Sorry," Julie shook her head. "Your fame and fortune and ego don't impress me at all." she laughed at his expression.

"Not even a little bit?" Nick asked.

"Not even a little bit," Julie teased.

"Damn," Nick said. He pretended to think very hard. "I think I'm going to have to rely on my charm then."

"Well it's a good thing you brought up the charm," Julie turned so she was walking backwards. "The charm is definitely working."

"So I'm in with a chance?" he asked hopefully.

"I'd say you have more than a chance, Nicholas," Julie said softly.

"Really?"

"Uh huh," she stopped right in front of him. He took her hand and pulled her close. "Be careful you," she murmured. "Don't you crush my flowers."

Nick smiled and leaned in. "I'll be careful."

Julie giggled as he finally covered her mouth with his.

He knew they were taking a chance kissing like this in public, but he could care less at the moment.

"Nick," she whimpered as he tore his mouth away, kissing the side of her neck.

"Yes," he whispered.

"We... we have to..." she stifled a cry.

"Stop?" he asked huskily.

"No," she said. "I don't want to."

He pulled back from her in surprise. "Did...did you just say..."

Her eyes were half closed and glazed over. "What?" she asked.

"You want to...I mean are you saying that you'd..."

"Oh..." she looked down. "Maybe um... I just got caught up..."

"It's okay," he said, looking down at her. "We have time for that...when you're ready."

Julie swallowed hard. "It's not that Nick- I'm just... I want to have it be really special you know?"

"You and Ryan never did?"

"No," Julie shook her head. "I wanted to at one point and now I'm glad I didn't waste it on him.'

He touched her cheek. "So am I."

She smiled at him and raised herself up to kiss him again.

"Careful, Julie," Nick said softly. "You just might make me fall in love with you."

"What?" she stared up at him with wide eyes.

"You heard me," Nick said, looking earnestly at her.

She took a deep breath, feeling dizzy. Chiaki had teased her about this the other day but she didn't think Nick felt this way about her, not yet. "Oh..." she uttered.

"Is it okay that I said that?" Nick whispered.

"Yes," she stared in his eyes. "Very okay..."

"Good," he said, softly. "I should probably get you home then."

"No..." she pulled on his hand. "Come on..."

"Where are you taking me?" he asked, laughing.

"Ready to get a little wet?" she asked teasingly.

Nick laughed. "That all depends on the context."

"I want to go back in our spot," Julie pushed his shoulder. "And we'll see what happens in there..."

Nick smiled conspiratorially at her. "Let's go..."

*** *** ***

After Toshio and Chiaki had seen Allison and Jon back to the Longbottom cabin, they'd taken off for the employee disco. Allison was dying to see what that place was like, but as Chiaki had gleefully pointed out, she and Jon were not old enough.

She and Jon were now sitting alone on the porch.

"It's really a nice night, isn't it?" Allison asked Jon, feeling like a complete idiot. "I'm sorry. That was completely lame. It's the sort of thing you say when you don't know what else to say. Of course, it's not that I don't have anything to say..."

"No it's okay," Jon laughed nervously. "It's weird being on a date. Not weird, because it's you or anything, but..." he sighed. "I just screwed that up didn't I?"

Allison giggled. "No, you're doing just fine. But, I know what you mean. This was my first date...which you probably realised by the embarrassing show my parents put on before we left."

Jon laughed again. "I'm just glad that you wanted to go out."

"I'm really glad that you asked me," she said shyly. "It's really been great getting to know you better. We've grown up together, but it's different. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah it does," Jon said. "You really looked pretty tonight too Al." he blushed.

"Really?" she asked, smiling sideways at him.

"Yeah," Jon said.

"Thanks," Allison said, looking down at her dress. She wanted to tell him that it was just an old hand-me-down from Chiaki, but decided to keep that bit of information to herself. "You know I used to think that you didn't like me at all. You never spoke to me except when I was studying with Josh or something."

"Yeah, I must have been pretty stupid," Jon said. "I think it was when we moved to Ireland. It hit me one day that I missed you more than anyone else over there."

Allison stared at him in disbelief. She'd never imagined that he felt that way about her. The more time she spent with him, the more pleasantly surprised she was about what a genuinely likable bloke he really was. She wished she could say the same, but she'd always fancied Josh.

"So," she said nervously. "Was your first date anything like this one? I can't imagine your parents were wanting to take pictures and things like that."

"You're actually my first date too," Jon mumbled.

"I am?" Allison asked, surprised. "But, I thought...I don't know what I thought, actually."

"My parents are a little strict about dating too," he said. "But they said this was an exception." he grinned.

"I'm glad," Allison said, squeezing his hand. "I really had a nice time tonight."

"Same here," Jon agreed. "Maybe we can do it again sometime while we're here?"

"I'd really like that," she said, softly. "If our parents allow another exception, right?"

"I think they might," he grinned at her.

Allison wondered if he was going to kiss her because he was looking at her as if he wanted to. Truth be told, she'd never been kissed before and wondered if she would do it wrong or if they'd bump noses or something.

"Al... I uh..." Jon gulped nervously.

"What?" she asked looking at him. "You what, Jon?"

"I like you a lot." he said.

Allison smiled shyly at him. "I like you a lot, too."

"Maybe when we get back to Hogwarts, we can go to a Hogsmeade weekend, just you and me..."

"You'd want to do that?" Allison asked. "I promise I wouldn't make you go to Madam Puddifoot’s. I can't stand that place."

"Me either," Jon agreed. "I wish they'd put a Quality Quidditch shop in Hogsmeade."

"I know what you mean," Allison said, nodding. "Do you know I was actually going to try out for our house team, but I twisted my ankle the week of tryouts?"

"I remember that!" Jon said.

"I was so upset," Allison said, shaking her head. "I thought I had a great chance of making keeper, but Chris Creevey does a better job at it than I ever could."

"I'll bet you could make it next year," Jon said. "I had no idea you were so into Quidditch!"

"Don't tell my Mum this, but I actually prefer it to dancing," Allison whispered.

Jon laughed. "Your secret is safe with me."

Neville gingerly opened the cabin door and smiled at his daughter. "Sweetheart? It's getting kind of late. Perhaps you and Jon could say goodnight?"

Allison nodded and smiled at her father. Neville went back inside and Allison noticed that Jon had that same look he had on his face earlier.

"I guess this is good night, then?" she asked softly.

"Yeah," Jon said. "Sorry- I hope I didn't get you in trouble with your dad."

"You didn't," Allison said quickly, patting his hand reassuringly. "He and Mum probably just want to go to sleep."

"Right," Jon said. "Well um..." he leaned forward and quickly pressed his lips to hers.

Allison kissed him back and was relieved that they didn't bump noses. Although it was quick, it was very nice and sweet.

"Wow," Allison said when he broke the kiss. "I um...yeah."

"Me too," Jon said. "I hope that was okay."

"More than okay," Allison heard herself say in a dreamy tone. "So, um, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Right," Jon said. "Bye Al."

"Good night, Jon," she said, watching him leave.

Cho, who was sitting on the couch, looked up from her book as Allison walked inside. "How was your first date, Allie?"

"It was fantastic Mum," Allison replied, still sounding quite dreamy.

"Really?" Cho said, grinning at her. "I think he really fancies you."

"I think so too," Allison looked out the window.

"So I take it there's going to be a second date, too?" Cho asked.

"If that's okay with you guys," Allison said softly, running her index finger over her lower lip.

"More than okay," Cho said. "I hope I didn't embarrass you too much earlier."

"No, everything turned out quite all right," Allison said. "Night mum. And thanks for letting me go out. I'm sure Frankie's waiting to hear all the details."

"Good night, Allie," Cho said, giving her daughter a hug. She wanted to hear all the details, too, but she knew that there were some things a girl didn't want to tell her mother.

*** *** ***

Julie felt a little shy once they got to the lake and were pulling off their clothes so at least something was dry.

"I will never make you do anything you don't want to," Nick said, as he pulled off his shirt.

"I know," she said. "Will you um... help me with this?" she lifted her hair so he could pull the zipper of her dress down.

"Sure," Nick said. His hands were shaking a bit as he pulled the dress zipper down. "What about your locket?"

"I'll um... wrap it up in my dress," she said.

Nick unclasped it for her and kissed the back of her neck.

A shiver ran down her spine as he did this. She slipped the dress down and stepped out of it, grateful that she'd worn a bra tonight.

Nick stared at her. She tried to cover herself up with her arms, but Nick gently touched her shoulder. "You're beautiful, Julie."

"I am?" she whispered.

"You don't think you are?" Nick asked, toying with one of her bra straps.

"No one but my parents has ever said that," she said softly.

"You are," Nick said, leaning his head down and kissing her neck. "Absolutely beautiful."

Julie closed her eyes and let her head fall back.

"We'd better get in the water before we're seen," he said quietly.

"I know," she whispered back.

They got in the water quietly, putting their clothes on top of their heads and holding them there as they swam.

When they finally reached the cove, Nick looked around. "Do you want me to start a fire?"

"If you want to," Julie spread her dress on the ground.

Nick managed to find some twigs and sticks and quickly started a fire with the help of his wand.

"Come on," he said, motioning for her to sit down.

Julie moved over next to him, pulling her legs up to her chest.

He laughed. "I promise I won't bite."

"I know that silly," she said.

"Not cold, are you?" he asked, pulling her close.

"Maybe just a little," she looked coyly at him. "Are you going to warm me up?"

"I might," Nick said, nuzzling her neck.

Julie tilted her head to give him better access to her skin.

"Julie," Nick breathed.

Her body literally felt like it was on fire as he moved his hand over her bare skin. She wanted him so bad she almost couldn't stand it. "Please..." she whimpered.

Nick kissed her then and they fell back onto her dress. Things were getting quickly out of hand and Nick wondered if he would be able to stop.

Hardly believing what they were doing, she guided his hands to the snap on her bra.

Nick looked down at her. "Julie...we should stop. I-I don't want to, but..."

"I don't want to either..." she breathed. "I know what I said before..."

He brushed a wet tendril of hair away from her forehead. "We have all the time in the world, Julie. I'm not going anywhere. I want to make this special for you."

"This is special..." she said.

"Are you...protected?" he asked her nervously.

Julie grabbed for her bag and pulled her wand out. She muttered a few words and smiled at him. "I am now."

He stared at her in disbelief for a moment. "Are you sure?"

"Nick I'm positive," she said. "I want to be with you."

Nick kissed her softly. "I want to be with you, too."

"Okay then," she stroked his hair.

Nick eased one of her bra straps down and peppered her shoulder with soft kisses. He'd never expected that the night would end up like this.

Julie helped him pull her bra off, her heart pounding with nervousness and anticipation. "Here," she whispered, guiding his hands to her bare chest.

The light from the fire illuminated her skin and hair and Nick thought as he kissed her that he'd never seen her look more beautiful than she did at this very moment. He could tell she was scared. So was he. This wasn't his first time as it was hers, but he didn't want to hurt her.

"Touch me," she said softly. "Show me Nick..."

With his thumb, Nick caressed her cheek. There was no turning back now. Slowly, he eased her knickers down. She shivered under his touch and Nick looked up at her. "Are my hands cold?"

"A little, but its okay," her eyes were half closed.

He discarded her knickers beside his boxer shorts and then gently settled back down on top of her.

He kissed her again, and Julie felt him press against her thigh. He slid his fingers inside her, readying her for what was going to happen.

Julie gasped inside his mouth and he took that as a sign that she was still okay with what he was doing. It was taking everything he had not to ravish her completely right here and right now.

She arched her back, her body feeling as hot as the fire that was burning next to them. "Please Nick," Julie begged, feeling like her insides were about to explode.

His eyes were trained on hers as he slowly entered her.

She held her breath, waiting for the pain that never came. "It doesn't hurt," she whispered. "You... feel so good Nick..."

"So do you," he whispered, leaning down and kissing her.

As he began to slowly move, she tried to mimic him, keeping his mouth pressed to hers so their groans, moans and cries wouldn't carry out past the trees surrounding them.

Nick buried his face in her shoulder as he cried out in release. He collapsed against her, feeling as if he never wanted to let her go.

Julie's breath came fast and she couldn't believe it was over- her body was still tingling. "Nick..." she said weakly.

"Yes, love?" Nick asked her.

"Am I supposed to feel like this?" she giggled a bit.

"Feel like what?" he asked, looking down at her. Her brow was covered in beads of sweat.

"Like I'm floating or something?" she asked.

He laughed. "Yes, you're supposed to feel like that."

"Good..." She pulled him down for another kiss. "I've never felt this good in my entire life..."

"Neither have I," he said honestly. "You are amazing, Julie."

"So are you Nick," Julie kissed him again. "I wish we could stay here all night."

"Me, too," Nick said, holding her close. "But I don't have a death wish. Your father would kill me."

Julie giggled. "Maybe, maybe not..."

"I beg to differ," Nick said. "And somehow I don't think it would be something as tame as a memory charm."

Julie pulled him over on top of her. "Just a few more minutes," she said softly.

"That could definitely be arranged," Nick said, kissing her.

"Good," Julie wrapped her arms around him and they snuggled together for a little while. "Promise me we'll do this... a number of times before we have to leave here?"

"So many that you'll lose count," he teased.

"That's exactly what I wanted to hear," Julie gave him one more kiss before sitting up and grabbing her knickers.

Nick sat up and put on his boxer shorts and handed Julie her dress and locket.

"This is really nice," he said, handing it to her. "It wasn't a gift from..."

"It was a gift from my dad to my mum, their first Christmas together," she said. "She gave it to me to wear tonight."

"She must have known this was going to be a special night for us," Nick said quietly.

"I didn't even know how it was going to be until you started kissing me," Julie touched his cheek.

"Well I certainly never expected the night to turn out this way, but I'm so...happy that it did," he said. "I do love you, Julie Potter. I hope you know that."

She could hardly believe the words he'd just said. "I love you too Nick," she replied softly.

He tenderly kissed her and held her for quite some time after that. Finally, he suggested that they should probably head on back to shore.

"Good idea," she said, watching him kick some sand over the fire to put it out.

"Don't worry," he said, as she looked longingly at the cove. "We'll be back, Jules."

"I know," she smiled and took his hand. They went as quietly as they could back through the water and she shivered when they emerged on the other side.

In the distance, Nick could hear music coming from the employee disco and fond memories of the first time he'd spoken to Julie came into his head. He watched as she slid back into her dress. Coming up behind her, he helped her with the zipper.

"Thanks," she smiled at him. "Walk me to my cabin?"

He hesitated for a moment wondering if his parents might be awake, but they weren't the type to go for a midnight stroll. "Of course," he said, taking her hand.

"We'll stay in the shadows," Julie said, knowing what he was thinking. "If worse comes to worse I'll just walk on and you can go back the other way."

"This isn't fair to you," Nick said suddenly angry. "We shouldn't have to hide, Julie."

"I know Nick," she pushed his hair out of his eyes. "But this is what we have to do until we can get out of here."

"I know," he said softly. "It still doesn't make it easier."

"No, but I think we're going to work through it just fine. And we have my parents and your relatives on our side here, and that's going to help. Trust me, it will." she reassured.

Nick nodded and held her hand as they walked back to her cabin. He wanted to believe it was that easy, but like everything involved with his parents, things were rarely easy.

"So... I had a really good time tonight," Julie laughed when they were back at the cabin. "Best date I've ever had."

"Good looks and charm works every time," Nick teased.

Julie hit his shoulder. "Smart ass," she said.

"Good night," he said, kissing her. "Sweet dreams."

"Good night," Julie kissed him back. "I'll have sweet dreams because of you now."

"I love you," he whispered, chancing another quick kiss.

"I love you too," she pressed her lips to his before pulling away. "I'll see you tomorrow... well today... sometime in the afternoon?"

He chuckled. "All of the above."

"Where do you want to meet?" Julie asked.

"I'm not sure," Nick said thoughtfully. "You said you wanted to go and see Maddie and R.J., right? We could, you know, accidentally run into each other there."

Julie laughed. "Sounds like a plan."

"Good night," he said, letting go of her hand and walking backwards down the cabin stairs.

Julie watched him turn and disappear into the darkness. She touched her lips and let out a quiet squeal before going into the cabin.

*** *** ***

"At least this time I didn't have to dress up for you Potter," Hermione teased her husband. They had snuck into the ballroom after it closed, and were currently lying on a blanket in the back room.

"It's the least you could do since you ran out on me this afternoon for that emergency at the Ministry," he said, pulling her close.

"I was only gone for three hours," Hermione protested.

"It seemed longer," Harry said.

"That's because you sat and watched the bloody clock until I came back." Hermione teased. "You should have taken Ethan swimming again. Now that he knows we don't care that he's afraid, he loves going in the water with you...”

"I didn't watch the clock until you came back," Harry said. "Ethan and I watched football on the telly. So, I was still being a good father. And I like it better when you're there with us."

"All right," Hermione kissed him. "You're a wonderful father and you know it."

"I'm okay," Harry said modestly. "You're the wonderful one."

"Well if you're going to insist," Hermione laughed at his expression. "Come on Harry, Ethan worships the ground you walk on. You'll be lucky if he stays like that as he gets older."

"I know," Harry said, kissing her forehead. "I just wanted to give him and Julie both what I never had growing up. I just feel blessed to have a wonderful family. And it’s all because of you, Hermione."

"Well you had a LITTLE part in their births," Hermione traced his cheek with her finger.

Harry laughed. "Well, I nearly missed Julie's."

"Thank goodness you didn't," Hermione said. "It was quite an experience." she had been in labour with her daughter for nearly sixteen hours before giving birth. "I'll never forget the look on your face when she came out."

Harry felt tears coming to his eyes as he remembered that moment.

Hermione kissed him softly. "I can't believe it was almost twenty years ago," she said gently. "She's been your girl since day one."

He smiled. "So were you."

"That I have," Hermione said. "Since I saw you in that bloody parking lot, my life's never been the same."

"For me as well," Harry said, grinning at her. "And the kids are just as crazy about you as they are about me. Ethan told me this morning he was going to kick that mean Mr. Malfoy's leg for calling his mum that awful name."

Hermione laughed. "He's certainly inherited your sweetness." she ran her fingers through his unruly hair.

"Sometimes, I think he's inherited my moodiness," Harry teased.

"No one's got that as bad as you," Hermione said.

"I'm not as bad as I used to be," Harry protested.

"No you're not," Hermione teased, kissing him again.

"I also seem to remember a certain someone calling me every name in the book when she was in labour," Harry said.

"Hey," Hermione thumped his shoulder. "I was pushing out a BABY, for Merlin's sake!"

"I know," Harry said laughing. "Do you remember when I made the mistake of telling you to relax?"

Hermione cracked up. "I recall throwing something at you."

"Two pillows," Harry said. "And a book. You have really, really good aim, Hermione."

"Well it was worth it," Hermione ran her hand up his arm. "Both times."

"Yes, it was," Harry said softly. "You were much nicer to me the second time around."

"I was in much less pain," Hermione recalled. "Plus our thirteen year old daughter was right outside."

"I was really glad she was there," Harry said. He was silent for a few moments. "Do you ever think about having any more?" he finally asked.

"Another child?" she asked. "That would certainly spread the ages out wouldn't it?"

"Yes," he said with a slight laugh. They'd tried so hard after Julie was born to have another child and had nearly given up hope when Hermione had found out she was pregnant with Ethan. "It's not too late, is it? We still could...if we wanted to."

"I'm sure we still could," Hermione said. "I'll let you in on a little secret..."

"What's that?" Harry asked, closing his eyes.

"I haven't used the protection charm on myself since we got here," she whispered in his ear.

Harry opened his eyes and grinned broadly at her. "You haven't?"

"Nope," Hermione said.

"So you've been thinking about this, too?"

"Here and there," Hermione moved closer to him on the blanket. "I mean, it's not a guarantee, knowing the troubles we've had conceiving in the past but it's worth a try. And you know what I always like to say..."

"If at first you don't succeed," Harry said, kissing her. "Try, try again?"

"You know me too well Potter," Hermione laughed. "Now by all means... try!"

13. Wonderwall

A/N: Surprise! We’re posting this a day early because it’s Amy’s birthday! She’s the big 30 although I keep saying you’re only as old as you feel. Which would make me about 12. Hahaha

We have a little bit of everyone it seems in this chapter- including your favourite villains, Draco and Ginny. But there’s some L/S for good measure so YAY to that.

Wonderwall – Oasis

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now

Backbeat the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody feels
The way I do about you now

And all the roads we have to walk along are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
I don't know how

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me ?
And after all
You're my wonderwall

The next day was the warmest since they'd arrived at Hillsdale. Hermione was more than happy to spend the day at the lake. She and Harry were trying to get Ethan to dive into the water, something that he'd still been reluctant to try.

At the moment,Ethan and Harry were standing on the end of the docks while Hermione was treadingwater.

"Dad? I don't know about this," Ethan said, looking down at the water with a terrified expression on his face.

"It's all right Ethan," Harry assured him. "Mum's down there waiting for you. And I'm right up here with you."

Ethan nodded and stepped closer to the edge.

"You can do it, Ethan," Hermione said encouragingly. "Besides, it’s really hot out today. You know you want to get in here with me and cool off, right?"

"I guess Mummy," Ethan said uncertainly.

"We're not going to make you do anything you don't want to," Hermione said. "If you don't want to, you don't have to. But you know that your father and I would never let anything happen to you."

"I know," Ethan said as his father patted his shoulder. "Can I just jump in instead of dive?"

"Sure," Harry said. "Whenever you're ready..."

Ethan stared at the rippling water and took a deep breath. He closed his eyes and leapt off the end of the dock.

A few moments later, he surfaced and Hermione beamed at him. "Way to go, Ethan!"

"I did it Mummy!" Ethan reached for her. "Daddy! I did it!"

"I know!" Hermione said, hugging him tightly. "You sure did!"

"That was fantastic Ethan," Harry congratulated his son.

Ethan grinned. "I wish Julie could have been here to see it!"

"Well now that you've done it once you can do it many more times!" Harry said, turning as someone tapped him on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir?" an older woman said. "I was wondering if I could set my chair out here. It's much too hot on shore. I thought I'd just sit out here so I can get some breeze from the lake."

"Uh... it's not my dock," Harry shrugged. "It's a public lake."

The older woman laughed. "I didn't want to get in your way. Your boy is quite the diver, isn't he?"

"Yeah," Harry said, something about her making him a little uneasy. "Well... I'll just go join my family, if you'll excuse me..."

"Of course," the woman said, setting up her lounge chair on the dock.

"Mummy? I'm going to do it again. This time by myself, okay?" Ethan asked Hermione.

"Sure," Hermione said, smiling at him. "I'll be right here, waiting."

Harry slid into the water and swam over to his wife. "He's trying again is he?"

"He is," Hermione said, keeping an eye on Ethan as he climbed the ladder to get back on the deck. "I'm so proud of him!"

"Same here," Harry grinned at his son.

"Where are you folks from?" the woman called out to them. Hermione swam a bit closer to the dock.

"London," Hermione answered with a grin. "How about you?"

"Fulham," the woman answered. "My nephew gave me the trip to this resort as a retirement present."

"How lovely of him. This is a really nice place- I take it your nephew used to work here?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," the woman said. "He worked here years ago. How about you? Were you an employee here?"

Hermione was distracted for a moment as Ethan dove back into the water. "My husband was," she replied. "We met here though."

"How romantic," the woman said, smiling at her. "I'm Edith Morgan, by the way."

"I'm Hermione," she answered. "That's my husband Harry, and our son Ethan."

"You're the Minister for Magic!" Edith exclaimed. "It's an honour to meet you, Mrs. Potter!"

"Oh," Hermione said in surprise. "I didn't realise you were a witch."

Edith smiled. "I am. I had no idea that you'd be here, Mrs. Potter. I'm amazed that the Ministry let you go on holiday for such a long period of time."

From the water, Harry was holding onto Ethan, but watching the exchange between his wife and Edith.

"What's wrong, Daddy?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know Ethan," Harry replied distractedly. "There's just something odd going on..."

"How could you go away with all that pending legislation going on in the Ministry, Mrs. Potter?" Edith asked eagerly.

"What?" Hermione asked, confused.

"What's going on here?" Harry swam over with Ethan in tow.

"Did the Ministry pay for your holiday?" Edith asked. All of a sudden a group of men descended on them with cameras flashing.

"Get out of the water, Minister!" one of the photographers called out. "Let's get a shot of you in that swim costume!”

"Merlin," Hermione ducked down so only her head was visible. "Harry!"

"Get a shot of the kid, too!" Edith called out to a photographer. "A photo of one of the Potter kids should land us the front page!"

"You leave my children OUT OF THIS!" Harry roared, suddenly finding himself on the dock.

"You're the most famous wizard in the world, Mr. Potter," Edith said coldly. "Our readers want to see pictures of your children. Come on."

"Mummy!" Ethan called out, as one of the photographers was aiming his camera at him.

Hermione pulled her son to her and turned so the photographer only shot her back.

"We do NOT allow pictures of our children," Harry said furiously. "How dare you interrupt us on our holiday and try to do this?"

"You're both public figures," Edith reminded him. "We just want a few pictures, that's all. We'll leave you alone after that. I promise."

"What's going on?" Seamus asked, coming up to join them. He and Lavender had been sunbathing on the shore and had witnessed the entire scene.

"Just some nosy, hard assed reporters," Harry glared at them all. "Thinking they could just drop in and take a few pictures."

Seamus grabbed one of the cameras from a photographer and threw the camera into the lake.

"You're going to pay for that!" the irate photographer screamed at Seamus.

"Leave them alone!" Lavender hissed.

"No, YOU'RE going to pay for this," Harry's temper had nearly snapped. "I give you interviews, my wife and I pose for pictures agreeably, we ask for A FEW SIMPLE requests like keeping the cameras away from our children and THIS IS WHAT WE GET?"

Ethan was in tears and clinging to Hermione. Hermione wanted nothing more than to get him out of this lake and back to their cabin.

"It's okay, little man," Hermione said, soothingly. "Daddy's taking care of it."

"Our readers want to see your children, Mr. Potter," Edith spat back at Harry.

"Your readers understand far more than you fucking reporters do," Harry shot back.

"Isn't she famous, too?" a photographer said, turning his camera on Lavender. Edith turned and looked appraisingly at Lavender. "Yes, she is. Miss Lavender Brown."

Lavender groaned as Edith rounded on her.

"Miss Brown what do you have to say about the news that your first husband Peter Smythe is engaged to be married to Chloe Spencer, one of your chief rivals?"

"She doesn't have anything to say about it," Seamus defended her, happy to see that Hermione was able to sneak up out of the water with Ethan and grab their towels.

"That's right," Lavender said, bolstered by Seamus' words. "I have no comment."

Edith grinned. "Mr. Finnigan? You were once involved with Miss Brown, weren't you? Are you trying to reignite your old flame?"

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Why can't you just go away? No one wants you here!"

"What's it to you if we are?" Seamus asked. "It's no one's business but ours. Now if you don't mind..."

An angry voice, angrier than Harry's, cut through the lakeside. "I'LL HAVE NO REPORTERS ON THIS PROPERTY!" Steve Van Ark roared.

"We were just leaving," Edith said brightly. "We got what we came for..."

Steve shook his head. "Unless you want to be arrested for trespassing, you'll hand over your film."

"But..." the photographer said.

"He threw my camera in the lake!" the other cried, nearly on the verge of tears.

"You're lucky he didn't throw YOU in the lake," Lavender retorted.

"Hand it over," Steve ordered.

The reporters reluctantly handed over their rolls of film and were forcibly escorted from the property.

"I'm really sorry about this, Harry," Steve said. "I had no idea that they were here."

"It's not your fault Steve," Harry had visibly calmed down. "When that woman came up to me I had no idea she was a reporter either."

Steve nodded. "I'm going to go and make sure they understand they're aren't to come back."

Hermione came back onto the docks, holding Ethan's hand. The little boy's eyes were red from crying and he was still quite shaken.

"Hey little man," Harry knelt down before his son. "I'm sorry you had to see that..."

Ethan nodded and hugged Harry.

"I don't understand how they found out where we were," Hermione said.

"Who knows," Lavender said in disgust. "Those wretched people are worse than the Malfoys!"

Hermione paled. "Harry? You don't think..."

Harry's mouth was set in a grim line. "Lav, I think you just figured out who sent them here..."

"Certainly fits their modus operandi," Seamus agreed.

"I'm going to kill them," Harry said angrily.

"Harry!" Hermione said, motioning to Ethan.

"Sorry," he grunted.

"Mummy? Can we go back to the cabin?" Ethan asked quietly.

"Of course, little man," Hermione said, picking him up. "Of course, we can. It's okay."

"I have a great idea," Harry said. "How about we change and then head into town for some ice cream?"

Ethan nodded and buried his face in his mother's shoulder.

"There we go," Harry said. "We'll see you two later?" he asked Seamus and Lavender.

"Of course," Seamus said. "Bye, Ethan."

"They shelter that kid way too much," Lavender said as her cousin and husband walked away.

"They wanted to make sure he and Julie grew up without the press covering their every move," Seamus said. "What's so wrong about that? I can't blame them for doing that."

"I understand that," Lavender sat down again. "I don't know, I'm not a parent so I can't criticise what they do..."

"Harry told me that someone had tried to kidnap Julie when she was a baby," Seamus said quietly. "I imagine that had a great deal with them doing anything and everything they could to protect their children."

Lavender sighed. "I like to forget about that," she said. "I push it so far out of my mind I don't even remember it happening."

Seamus nodded. "Did you know about your ex's engagement? I didn't mean to speak for you before..."

"Don't know, don't care," Lavender shrugged. "All annulled remember? They never happened."

"Right," Seamus said. "Who's this Chloe Spencer?"

"Another designer. She's always come in after me and hates me for it. She just can't take it that my designs have always been better than hers." Lavender replied.

"I remember her!" Seamus said animatedly. "She was at one of the parties you took me to. Wasn't she the girl who kept making rude comments about your designs? She tried to hit on me, too, as I recall."

"That doesn't surprise me," Lavender rolled her eyes. "She gloats every time she sees me that she's engaged to Peter," she laughed. "She shut up really quickly when I asked why she's always going after my leftovers."

"Good one, Lav," Seamus said, grinning at her.

"Thanks," she grinned back. "And thanks for sticking up for me back there too."

"What are exes for?" Seamus joked. "I probably shouldn't have thrown that bloke's camera in the lake."

Lavender laughed loudly. "That was absolutely brilliant!"

"I think you were right when you said I should have thrown him in the lake," Seamus laughed. He had always liked hearing her laugh.

"Yeah but then he might have drowned trying to find his camera," Lavender teased. "Then you'd feel guilty for the death of a trashy reporter."

"Not to mention I'd probably be thrown in Azkaban," Seamus said with a shudder.

"Right," Lavender said. "You did good."

Seamus was glad he'd put his sunglasses back on so she wouldn't see how he was checking out her curvy figure.

"So, um, how about I go and get us some lemonade?" he suggested finally. "That's still your favourite, isn't it?"

"Oh yes," Lavender smiled at him. "Thank you Seamus."

"Be right back," he said, smiling at her.

Lavender watched him go, her eyes on him the entire way to the refreshment stand. The more time she spent with him, the more annoyed with herself she felt for letting him go in the first place.

For his part, Seamus was more confused than ever. He'd not come back here to Hillsdale expecting to see Lavender again, let alone find out that those old feelings still remained. Lavender Brown had been a hard girl to get over and Seamus realised that perhaps he never had gotten over her.

"Thank you," Lavender said as he handed her the lemonade. "You really are taking the cake today you know that?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, sitting back down.

"You're just being really sweet. Helping Harry and Hermione with those reporters. Defending me as well... remembering what my favourite drinks are..." she shrugged, taking a sip.

"Well, Harry and Hermione are my friends and I'd do anything for them," Seamus replied. "We were together for quite a long time, Lavender. I remember loads of things about you..."

She blushed. "What else do you remember?" she asked a bit shyly.

"That you used to snore like a foghorn," Seamus said.

"Hey!" Lavender said. "I did not! Still don't!"

"You did!" Seamus exclaimed. "And that you used to brush your hair 100 times before you went to sleep. You also tell everyone that your favourite breakfast is grapefruit, but I know that you'd kill for French toast."

"I still brush my hair every night," Lavender said. "And I eat French toast now no matter what."

Seamus laughed. "Well, at least one thing has changed."

"What, that I don't snore and never have?" Lavender said.

"You do snore! Do you remember that time I recorded it so you'd believe me?" he asked her.

"No," Lavender turned red.

"I think I might still have that cassette somewhere," Seamus said. "I might have to ring my assistant and ask her to dig it up..."

"Don't you dare!" Lavender squealed. "What were you going to say?"

"I was saying that at least you're not hiding your French toast addiction now," he said, splashing some of his lemonade at her. "I read that and thought grapefruit, my arse!"

"Well I have to appear healthy," she said. "French toast nearly every morning doesn't sound like a very couth thing to eat."

"And appearances are everything, aren't they?" Seamus asked her.

"For me, yes." Lavender said. "And I would assume you as well..."

"Unfortunately," Seamus admitted. "You have to go to the right clubs, the right premieres...all I really want to do is stay home and watch movies."

"Same old Seamus," Lavender shook her head and smiled at him. "Promise me you'll never change?"

"You've got yourself a deal," he said grinning back at her. "You French toast eating, hair brushing snorer!"

"Seamus Finnigan," Lavender said. "If you keep calling me a snorer I'll be forced to do something we'll both regret."

"Like what?" Seamus asked her cheekily.

"Like... throw you in the lake!" she exclaimed.

"You and what army?" he countered.

"You!" she laughed, grabbing his arm.

Seamus laughed and hoisted her over his shoulder. "If I go in, you're coming in with me, Brown!"

"Seamus!" she screamed. "Don't you dare!"

“What, it’s okay for you to do to me?” Seamus laughed, carrying her into the water.

“Don’t you throw me in!” her last word was drowned out by the splash she made as he unceremoniously dropped her in the water.

Seamus laughed as she sputtered, pushing her hair out of her eyes. For a moment he thought she was going to start screaming but instead Lavender dove at him, pushing him flat on his back. “Ow!” he said, laughing.

“Gotcha,” Lavender grinned. “Payback time Finnigan.”

He splashed her back, making her shriek and suddenly they were involved in an all out water war, both laughing and breathless several minutes later.

“Okay, now I feel like a teenager again,” Lavender sat in the shallower water. “You must have that effect on people Seamus.”

“Maybe,” He said. “That was fun though.”

“It was,” Lavender’s eyes were twinkling. She splashed him again. “Look what you did to my hair. Now I’ll have to brush it two hundred times.”

“Only two hundred?” Seamus teased. “Not three, or four hundred for added bounce?”

“Seamus!” Lavender hit his shoulder but she was laughing. He caught her hand and pulled her close, immediately pressing his mouth to hers.

She was surprised, but unlike last time she didn’t pull away. Instead, she wrapped her arms around his neck, keeping him as close as she could. They were kissing much like they used to, yet both seemed to realise they were in public which kept hands from wandering.

"I shouldn't have done that," Seamus asked when they finally pulled apart. He was suddenly aware that some of the other guests were watching them as well. "I guess I just got caught up."

"Well I got caught up too," Lavender said. "So it's not entirely your fault..."

"Yes, yes it is," Seamus said, running a hand through his damp hair. "I don't know what the hell I'm doing Lavender."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I don't know," Seamus said quietly. "It's so bloody complicated, isn't it? We've not seen each other in years, but when we're together like this, it feels like how it used to...and I don't know how I feel about that to tell you the truth."

"I know we broke up badly," Lavender ran her hand along the top of the water. "But... I miss you Seamus. I didn't realise until I saw you again just how much I miss you."

"I miss you too," he said, smiling shyly at her. "But, it's not just you and me here, Lavender. There's Summer to consider, too."

"Right," Lavender sighed. "Guess I messed up completely, as usual."

Seamus took hold of her hand. "No, Lavender. You haven't. I just need some time to figure all of this out. Do you think you can give that to me?"

Lavender looked at him a moment. "Sure," she smiled a little. "I can handle that."

He was quite surprised at her response. The old Lavender would have told him that if he didn't know what he wanted, she wasn't going to wait around for him to figure it out. He squeezed her hand. "I should probably get back to my cabin. I have some calls to make."

"All right," she said. "I want to go see how Ethan's doing."

"Will I see you at dinner tonight?" he asked.

"I should be there," Lavender said. "Are you eating with us again?"

"I'd like to," he said, grinning at her.

"Well then consider yourself invited," Lavender gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you later, Lavender," he said, watching her gather up her belongings and walk away. He had no idea what he was going to do.

*** *** ***

Julie begged off from Ethan's swim lesson that next morning, promising she'd go later that day instead. She wanted to go see Maddie and R.J., and she was also hoping to see Nick there as they had planned.

"Hey!" she called out, seeing her best friend on the path in front of her. "Chiaki!"

Chiaki turned around and smiled. "Hey! I just saw Toshio off and I thought I'd pop in to see R.J. and Maddie. What are you up to?"

"Same thing," Julie said. "But I am so glad I ran into you!" she hadn't been able to keep the smile off her face all morning long and her parents and Ethan had teased her mercilessly at breakfast, even though Julie hadn't told them everything that had gone on.

"Okay," Chiaki said, suddenly realising that Julie was practically beaming at her. "It's unnatural to be this happy in the morning, Jules. Unless of course you...wait a minute....wait just a minute...did you?"

Julie giggled. "Uh huh." her face turned red.

"YOU DID?" Chiaki screamed. "Sorry! Didn't mean to say that so loud. But where? I can't imagine your parents would allow him into your room for a quick shag. And I'm positive his parents wouldn't have let you step foot in their cabin..."

"Chiaki!" Julie hushed her friend. "There are three people who know, you me and Nick. Can we keep it that way?"

"Of course," Chiaki said, grateful that she hadn't inherited her mother's big mouth. "So, how was it?"

"Um..." Julie's face was still pink. "It was fast... but it was nice. And Nick couldn't have been sweeter. It was so unplanned but it's all I can think about!"

Chiaki smiled and hugged her friend, but she quickly pulled away and grimaced at Julie.

"Please tell me you did the charm like I told you to," Chiaki said, folding her arms.

"Right before we did it," Julie said. "Don't worry so much Chiaki." she grinned at her.

"I'm not," Chiaki said. "I'm just trying to look out for my best friend. Merlin, you've actually seen my brother naked. I don't know if I want details on something like that."

Julie laughed at her. "All right so I'll spare you the embarrassing stuff. I still can't believe it though. I feel different but at the same time I don’t. And believe it or not, that's not even the best part!"

"What else is there?" Chiaki asked eagerly.

"He told me he loves me," Julie said in a low voice. "Right when we left the cove."

"He did!" Chiaki squealed. "That's so sweet! Oh, Jules!"

"I know," Julie grinned even wider. "It was all so amazing. I couldn't wait to tell you all about it!"

Chiaki smiled. "So did you tell him that you loved him, too?"

"Yes," Julie said. "When we talked the other day I didn't really know yet but I really do love him too. I feel so much more for him than I ever have for any other guy."

"Even Ryan?" Chiaki asked.

"Even Ryan," Julie confirmed. "I realised once he pushed me away that what I had felt for him wasn't love. This is so much different."

"Just be careful, okay?" Chiaki said. "Don't look at me like that, Jules. I'm being serious. This isn't going to be easy on either of you. I'm not saying this because I'm not completely happy for you, because I really am."

"It's a little scary, and I promise I'll be careful. But I could tell he was being honest- he wasn't saying it to get me to shag him." Julie said.

"I know," Chiaki said, as they approached the Weasley cabin. Luna was sitting on the porch swing reading story to Maddie. When Maddie saw Julie and Chiaki she made a beeline for both girls.

"Look at how big you're getting, Maddie!" Chiaki said, kneeling down to give her a hug.

"I'm almost five now!" the little girl announced proudly.

"I know!" Chiaki said, laughing. "And getting so tall!"

"Hey you," Julie picked her up and spun her around. "I heard you missed me!"

Maddie nodded and held out her hands. "This much!"

"Hi girls," Luna said, smiling at them. "Maddie's been hoping you'd stop by."

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," Julie kissed her cheek. "Where's RJ?"

"Inside with Ron," Luna replied. "He's running a small fever. We thought it best to keep him inside."

"Oh no," Chiaki said. "I hope he'll be all right!"

"He will," Luna said, sitting back down. "Thank you so much for letting Jon and Allie tag along with you last night. Jon said they had a really nice time."

"Yeah we were glad they had fun," Chiaki said. "It was so cute to see them on their first date."

"He was so nervous beforehand," Luna said laughing. "Don't you dare tell him that I told you this, but he must have tried on every single shirt and jumper he brought with him."

Julie and Chiaki laughed- so did Maddie, although she had no idea why. "That's so cute," Julie said.

"Guess what!" Maddie exclaimed.

"What?" Chiaki asked.

"Mummy said we could go on a hunt for Cornish pixies!" the little blonde said excitedly. "And I might get to keep one as a pet!"

Chiaki grimaced. "You want one of those, really?"

Luna laughed. "It's either that or a flobberworm."

"That being the case, I guess I'd go with the Cornish pixie every time," Chiaki giggled. "What does your dad think about this, Madeline?"

"As long as its not a spider, he said it was okay," Maddie answered simply.

They all laughed at that. "Did you have fun with Nana and Papa at the Burrow?" Julie asked, toying with her blond curls.

Maddie nodded. "Nana made me chocolate biscuits and I even helped her with the gnomes."

"That sounds like fun." Chiaki said, taking the seat next to Luna.

"Mummy, Nick's coming!" Maddie said animatedly pointing down the path. "Look!"

Julie turned to see. She tried to control the red colour that was spreading across her cheeks but it was futile. "Hey," she grinned as he came up to them.

"Hi," he said, smiling back at her. Maddie launched herself at him and he picked the little girl up and twirled her around just as Julie had.

"I see you've won her over quickly," Luna commented from the swing.

"He has a way with the ladies, don't you Nick?" Chiaki asked, earning a glare from Julie.

"Maybe," Nick laughed. "How are you Maddie?"

"Good," Maddie said shyly. "I was going to go swimming with Ethan today, but R.J.'s sick so we didn't get a chance to go."

"Well that's a shame," Nick said. "Did you all hear what happened just a little bit ago?"

"No," Luna said. "What?"

"A bunch of reporters snuck in and started bothering your parents during Ethan's lesson," Nick replied, looking at Julie. "That guy Seamus actually threw one of their cameras in the water."

"Oh no!" Julie groaned. "I-I should go and check on them to make sure they're okay. My dad probably went ballistic."

"They were pretty ticked off, but Steve Van Ark had them escorted out, and then I passed them on my way back and they were taking Ethan to town for ice cream." he said.

Luna shook her head. "How on earth did they find out they were here?"

"We don't know yet," Nick said. "But whoever it is I feel sorry for them- they also started bugging your aunt Lavender."

"I wish they'd just leave us alone," Julie said, sitting down on the steps.

"They will now," Nick laughed. "They had to hand over all their film or they'd be charged with trespassing."

"Yes, but that's just for now," Julie replied. "They never go completely away."

Maddie ran onto her mother's lap. "Mummy can we finish our story?"

"Sure," Luna said, picking Maddie up. "Chiaki, why don't you come inside with us to see R.J.?"

"Are you sure?" Chiaki knew her aunt was giving Julie and Nick a chance to be alone. "He's not too sick?"

"He's fine," Luna reassured her. "Come on inside. At the very least, you can give Jon a hard time about Allie."

"Right," Chiaki grinned. "Behave you two," she laughed at Nick and Julie.

Julie didn't laugh back. She was too preoccupied thinking about what had happened with her parents and Ethan at the lake.

"Are you all right?" Nick touched her arm once they were alone.

"Not really," Julie said, shrugging.

Nick helped her up and they went behind the cabin where it was more private. "I'm sorry if that news was upsetting to you," he said, hugging her.

"I should be used to it by now," she said, hugging him back. "If it’s not some reporter, it's some random person wanting to know about our family. Some reporters crashed my parents' wedding reception. They camped out at St. Mungo's when I was born. It's just...frustrating."

Nick kissed the side of her head. "I can understand that. It's hard to get some private time with the people you love when there are reporters lurking about."

Julie smiled. "We're doing okay at the moment, aren't we?"

"We are," Nick smiled back at her.

"Did Seamus really throw someone's camera in the lake?" Julie asked, laughing. Just being with Nick was making her feel better already.

"Yes," Nick said. "Wish I'd been there to see it, but your parents told me when I saw them back there by your cabin. I feel bad for your brother though. He looked really freaked out.”

“He’s definitely the baby of the family,” Julie said. “We all shelter him a bit- but he’s just so sweet, we can’t help it.”

“I can definitely see that,” Nick ran his hand though her hair.

Julie nodded. "So...how are you? Are your parents leaving you alone?"

"No," Nick said. "They gave me the third degree this morning about where I was last night. And since they haven't forbidden me from seeing anyone ELSE... I told them I was out with Chiaki and Allie."

"How exactly does your dad feel about you hanging out with your half sister?" Julie asked. "He knows who Chiaki is, right?"

"They don't acknowledge it," Nick said. "I haven't heard one word about who she really is, and I haven't brought it up. The less we all see of him, the better off we are."

Julie leaned in and kissed him, not really wanting to spend their few moments together talking about Draco Malfoy.

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her as close as possible. "I can't stop thinking about last night," he murmured when they pulled apart.

"Neither can I," Julie whispered.

He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Are we meeting later?" he asked quietly.

"I hope so," she said, grinning shyly up at him.

"Same spot?" he asked. "What time is best for you?"

"Around 11?" Julie suggested. "I know its late, but that way no one will see us..."

"No that's fine," Nick said. "The later the better for me- my parents will be involved in their own affairs by that time and I can get out with less problems."

"Okay, so it's a date then?" Julie asked.

"Definitely a date," Nick leaned in and kissed her.

"So, how about we go in and see your cousins?" Julie asked when they broke apart. "Maddie might get mad if I monopolize you the entire time."

"Or maybe the other way around," Nick teased.

"Come on, Malfoy," she said, taking his hand.

Nick slid his arm around her as they went into the cabin. "Hey everyone," he said.

Josh looked up from where he was playing with Maddie and he scowled at Julie and Nick.

"Hey!" Jon got up. "We've got to triple date again some time, last night was a lot of fun!"

"Did you have anyone in mind that you'd want to take?" Julie teased, mussing Jon's hair.

"Gee I don't know Jules, maybe the same girl as last night?" Jon said sarcastically but he was grinning. "What's eating you?" he asked his twin, who still wore a dark scowl.

"Maybe the fact that you've been grinning like a hyena since you woke up this morning?" Josh asked angrily.

"Why should that bother you?" Jon asked lightly.

"I don't know," Josh said. "Maybe the fact that YOU got to go out with everyone while I got to sit around and watch R.J. drool."

Ron placed a hand on their shoulders. "Boys..." he said, quietly but both of them got his meaning perfectly.

"Okay, Dad," Jon said. "And before you say it, yes I'm going to clean up my room..."

Ron laughed. "You can do it later... let's enjoy everyone being together right now okay?"

"Who are you and what have you done with our dad?" Jon asked, grinning.

Josh glowered as his father and Jon joked around, and Nick and Julie sat on the sofa cuddling RJ like he was their own baby. Why was everything falling apart here now?

"Don't be sad, Josh," Maddie said, sitting in his lap. "It's going to be okay."

Josh couldn't help but smile at his sister. "Thanks Maddie," he said, giving her a quick squeeze.

"You can help Mummy and me look for a Cornish pixie if you want," Maddie said. "But he's going to be my pet."

"You want a Cornish pixie for a pet?" Josh shook his head. "You're a crazy four year old you know that?"

"I'm a Weasley," she said grinning at him.

Nick watched everyone interacting with a slightly heavy heart. He wished he could be a true part of this- knowing past jokes and stories that made them all laugh.

"What's wrong?" Julie noticed the look on his face.

"Everyone's been really great trying to include me in things," he answered. "But I just can't help wishing I knew about all the inside jokes and stories. I still feel like an outsider."

Julie shifted RJ over to him. "Then start feeling like an insider," she smiled at him.

"How do you propose I do that?" he asked, cuddling R.J.

"With him," Julie smiled at the baby. "He makes loads of funny faces when he's happy."

"I don't have that much experience with babies," Nick admitted.

"I haven't either in awhile," Julie said, stroking RJ's head. "But the only way to get experience with babies is to play with them."

"You're great with him," Nick said admiringly. "No wonder you want to be a teacher."

"Well I love kids," Julie said. "And they seem to like me a lot too," she grinned at him.

"What's not to like?" Nick whispered, his eyes twinkling. R.J. gurgled and Nick laughed. "He agrees with me, obviously."

Julie laughed at him. "You've become biased."

"Would you look at that?" Luna asked her husband, motioning toward Julie and Nick.

Ron grinned. "Shall I give him the old talking to?" he joked.

"Don't you dare!" Luna said, swatting at him. "I think it's very sweet."

"Right- that's Harry's job at any rate. And I'm glad. Julie's the best and Nick's a good bloke." Ron stole a kiss from his wife.

"You know what I think?" Luna asked him, leaning against him. "I think you're a good bloke, too."

"I should hope so," Ron's eyes twinkled at her. "What other husband would let his wife protect him and their family from spiders?"

"A husband very secure in his masculinity?" Luna guessed.

"That's it," Ron replied jokingly. "Hey who's hungry?" he called out.

"I'm going to take a wild guess, Dad and say that YOU probably are," Jon joked.

"Well of course, but who else?" Ron cuffed his son's head.

"I am, Daddy!" Maddie yelled in Josh's ear, causing him to grimace.

"That's my girl," Ron scooped her up.

"What did you have in mind?" Luna asked him.

"Who wants... ice cream?" Ron asked.

"I do! I do!" Maddie exclaimed, bouncing in Ron's arms.

"Can we stop by Allie's and see if she wants to come, too?" Jon asked.

"Sure we can," Ron agreed. "How about you Josh? Julie and Nick, you're welcome to join us." he grinned at them. "Chiaki?"

Nick looked at Julie who nodded enthusiastically.

"Sure," Nick said, thinking his parents couldn't fault him for going out on what was technically a family outing.

"I'll stay here with R.J.," Josh said quietly. He didn't want to spend any time watching Nick and Julie moon all over each other and Jon flirting with Allie.

"Are you sure?" Luna asked concernedly. "I don't mind staying if you want to go with them Josh."

"No," Josh said, shaking his head. "You go ahead and have a good time, Mum. You deserve it."

Luna looked at him for another minute. "If you say so love," she said.

"Yeah," Josh said, looking at Julie and Nick. "I'm sure."

"Okay," Ron said. "I know my little Maddie here's going to have double chocolate, but what about you Nick?" he asked as they all walked out the door.

"Maddie's a girl after my own heart," Nick said. "That's my favourite, too."

Chiaki hung back a little and pulled on Nick's sleeve. "So..." she said. "Had a little heart to heart with Julie before we got here..."

"About...?" Nick asked, being deliberately coy.

"You know," Chiaki gave him a look.

"No," Nick said, trying hard not to laugh. "I don't..."

"Nicholas!" Chiaki said. "I know we just met but I'll have you know I come from a family of very nosy people. And we find out EVERYTHING."

Nick laughed. "I had heard something about that. So, are you okay with it? Me and Julie?"

"Of course I am," Chiaki said. "But you be good to her. She's my best friend in the world."

"Do you think I'm crazy?" he asked her. "Chiaki, if I even thought about hurting her, I'd have people lining up to hex me. You don't have to worry. I'll do right by her."

"Good," Chiaki grinned as the girl in question turned around.

"What are you two going on about back here?" Julie asked.

"Oh nothing," Nick said as she slowed down a few steps. He slid an arm around her and one around Chiaki. "Those people at the ice cream place are going to wonder how I got two such good looking girls on my arm," he teased.

"Three if you count Maddie," Chiaki said.

"Hey!" Drew and Darla called out.

"Okay, okay," Nick said, grinning at the two girls. "Five girls."

"Quite the ladies man there Nick," Ron teased. "Sure you can handle it?"

"I think so," Nick said, grinning at Julie. "I think so."

"You'd better," she bumped his shoulder.

"Ouch, Potter," Nick teased. "That hurt."

"Wuss," Julie replied. "I like my men strong."

"I was only kidding," Nick said quickly. "It didn't hurt. In fact, after the ice cream, I'm going to go on back to the resort and do some weight lifting."

Julie laughed loudly. "You have nothing to prove to me Nicholas. I love you just the way you are right now." she whispered in his ear.

Nick didn't tell her how much those words meant to him. Instead, he just smiled down at her and squeezed her hand.

*** *** ***

Ginny squealed with delight as Draco popped the cork on the champagne bottle. "Did you see the look on her face when she brought that brat back up on the shore?" Ginny said, laughing. "It was priceless!"

Draco smirked. "I love seeing Potter all pissed off. Makes me feel randy."

Ginny winked at him as he poured some champagne in her glass. "They deserved it...walking around here all smug and superior. "

"That they did love," Draco said.

"And did you see that bathing suit she had on?" Ginny asked her husband. "That is so last season. And she doesn't have enough up top to carry that look off."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Draco snorted. "She has a decent rack on her."

Ginny glared at him. "She does not!"

"Not as nice as yours," Draco said.

"Good answer," Ginny said, sitting down beside him on the sofa. "I was beginning to think you were attracted to the Mudblood."

Draco snorted. "If I ever am, please hex me." he slid an arm around his wife. "So where is our dear son today, out gallivanting with said Mudblood and friends?"

Although she knew that was precisely where her son was, out of respect to her deal with Nick, Ginny decided to keep that quiet.

"He said something about going to visit Ron or something. He's spent more time with Ron and that Loony than he has with us."

Draco shrugged. "Personally, I really don't care what he does with his time as long as he stays away from Potter and his brood."

"I think he will," Ginny said thoughtfully. "He knows what you'll do if he doesn't."

"That useless Greta," Draco rolled his eyes. "I had half a mind to sack her before coming here."

"She's not that bad, Draco," Ginny said. "She's a decent cook and she keeps a good house. She's just so...judgmental."

"I don't need any judgemental people in my home," Draco said firmly. "She's trained Nick to be way too independent. He's an ungrateful brat."

"It's partly our fault," Ginny said quietly. "We left him alone with her. He loves her and hates us."

Draco was completely unaffected by this. "His loss."

Ginny stared at him. Obviously Nick's indifference to them didn't affect Draco as much as it had her. "You don't care that our son is happy spending as much time away from us as possible? You don't care that our son cares more for his nanny than he does for his own parents?"

"Not really," Draco finished his champagne and poured another glass.

"Oh," was all Ginny could say to this.

"Look," Draco said. "You know how I felt when we found out you were pregnant. Despite that, I married you and I've provided an excellent home for you and our son."

"I know," Ginny said quickly. She was about to tell him how much it had hurt to see him interact with her mother the other night and how he'd taken to her family. They, in turn, had welcomed Nick with open arms. "It just hurts sometimes that he doesn't care."

"Well that's his own problem." Draco said. "We've provided for him- we got him someone to take care of him when we couldn't be there- and this is how he repays us. Going on with that music nonsense instead of following in my footsteps like he will be doing when we go back. He's making a mockery of me and it pisses me off."

"He told you he didn't want to be a healer," Ginny said. "I don't really see how you're going to get him to change his mind, Draco."

"He will when I pull my financial support away from him," Draco said firmly.

"You mean cut him off?" Ginny asked incredulously.

"If that's what it takes," her husband replied emotionlessly.

Ginny put her champagne glass down on the coffee table. Suddenly, she didn't feel much like celebrating. A part of her wanted to hurt Draco as much as he'd just hurt her when he'd reminded her of how he'd married her because she'd gotten pregnant. She didn't know what she could possibly say to him though. Sometimes, she wondered if he had any feelings at all.

"What?" his voice cut into her thoughts. "You're angry with me now aren't you?"

"No," she lied.

"You are too," Draco set down his glass as well. "I can tell your moods Ginny. I know you better than anyone, whether or not you want to admit it."

"I just find it hard to believe that you don't care that our son hates us, Draco," she said angrily. "You act as if you don't care about him at all. I know he acts ungrateful and all that, but a part of the reason he is the way he is, is because of how we've raised him."

"We didn't raise him," Draco pointed out.

"Which is precisely the problem," Ginny said quietly.

Draco exhaled slowly. "Look Ginny- you knew when you took up with me that this is how I am."

"I just thought it would be different with me," Ginny said, standing up. "I saw how you just signed away your rights to Cho Chang's baby and I thought it would be different with me because you loved me."

"I do love you," Draco said. "You."

"And what about our son?" Ginny asked. "It's not too late. We can build a relationship with him."

She could by the way he was looking at her that he was wondering where all of this was coming from. She wasn't about to tell him that she'd seen her mother and it had caused her to ask herself questions that she hadn't liked the answers to.

"He needs to reform before I could ever picture myself getting... close or anything else with him," Draco said coolly.

Ginny nodded and resigned herself that Draco wasn't going to change and if she kept acting like this, she was going to lose him.

"What suddenly brought this on?" he asked. "Back in Australia none of this ever seemed to matter to you."

"It didn't, not really," Ginny admitted. "It's just that I was able to spend some time here with Nicholas before you arrived and he acted as if he'd rather have a root canal than spend time with his own mother."

She walked back over to the couch. "I was thinking that we might spend Christmas with my family this year..."

"What?" Draco narrowed his eyes.

"I just got to thinking that its been years since I've seen my parents," Ginny replied, looking away from him. "And I think it would be nice to spend Christmas at the Burrow. We wouldn't have to stay long. Just a day or so...that wouldn't be so terribly bad, would it?"

"Your family hates me Ginny," Draco snapped. "Why would I want to go spend any time at all with them?"

"Mum really wants to meet Nicholas," Ginny said. "And I think if she talked to my brothers, they'd behave."

"Sure in front of her and you," Draco said. "We're not going."

"Draco, I really want to go," Ginny said. "And I think Nicholas would want to go, too."

"Then go," Draco said dismissively. "I'll go to the Gold Coast myself."

"We always go where you want!" Ginny exclaimed. "For once, can't we do what I want? Would it kill you to go and be with my family for two minutes? You should remember that I've played the dutiful wife for you more times than I care to count and never once complained. This is important to me."

"No," Draco said. "I prefer my head where it is. I don't trust your brothers or anyone else in your family for that matter."

"I bet if I'd married Harry, he'd go!" Ginny shouted.

"WELL YOU DIDN'T!" Draco yelled back. "YOU MARRIED ME!”

"HEY!" Nick said, coming inside the cabin. "I could hear the two of you shouting from outside. What the hell is going on?"

"And just where have you been?" Draco turned on his son. "Out gallivanting with the poor?"

"If you mean MY family," Nick said icily. "Then, yes...I have been with them. Since when do you care where I've been?"

"Since I knew you could be publicly destroying our name by associating with the Potters," Draco snapped.

Nick rolled his eyes. "Whatever..."

He noticed his mother was in tears and although he knew the best course of action would be to go back into his room and stay out of this, he couldn't stop himself from asking his mother if she was okay. "Mum? What's wrong?"

"Nothing Nicholas," Ginny said.

"Are you sure?" Nick asked her. "You've been crying..."

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine," Ginny replied.

"Your mother and I are having a private discussion," Draco said coldly.

"Sounded to me like you were fighting," Nick retorted, glaring at Draco.

"What's it to you?" Draco asked. "You've never cared before so why start now?"

Nick laughed. "I ask myself the same question about you, Dad."

"Look, Nicholas," Ginny said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "I'm fine. Really. I appreciate your concern."

Nick shook his head. "You're both pathetic," he said. "You really are."

"I think its pretty pathetic to be latching on to someone else's family," Draco shot back. "They're beneath you, Nicholas."

Nick snorted. "That's your opinion, not mine."

Ginny couldn't take this anymore. If Draco insisted on pushing their son further away, he could do it without her. She was halfway to the door before Draco stopped her.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

"For a walk!" she retorted, shaking off his arm. "I don't need your permission to do that, do I?"

Nick looked at his father. "You've pissed off your arm decoration," he said sarcastically.

Ginny slammed the door behind her and Draco couldn't remember the last time he'd ever been this angry.

"Look what you've done," Draco raged at Nick, who was standing with his arms crossed.

"Me?" Nick asked. "That was all you, Pops."

"If you hadn't come back in here we'd have worked things out fine!" Draco shouted.

"Blame it on me like you always do," Nick said. He saw the champagne bottle on the coffee table. "A bit early for champagne, isn't it?"

Draco's eyes narrowed into angry slits. "What are you implying Nicholas?" he asked dangerously.

"I wasn't implying anything," Nick said. "Defensive much?"

Draco picked up the bottle and threw it at the wall where it shattered over Nick's head. "You watch your mouth," he said angrily.

Nick stared at his father. Over the years, he'd seen his father angry. He'd seen his father upset. But, he'd never seen him like this. "Fine, Dad," Nick said quietly.

Draco's fists were clenched as his son turned and left the room. "Better stay out of my sight," he growled.

*** *** ***

"So you think he's all right?" Julie asked her mother, watching her father and Ethan kick around a football outside the cabin. "I think he's more embarrassed about crying in front of everyone than anything else."

Hermione looked at her son who was currently running at full speed after his father. "I think so, too. But, I can't blame him. It scared me too how fast they all descended on us like they did."

"They're like bloody vultures," Julie said, pushing off the porch floor so that they were swinging gently. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to try and help."

"I'm glad you weren't there, Julie," Hermione said, patting her on the knee. "One less Potter for them to photograph."

"If you put it that way," Julie smiled at her mother. "Then I'm glad I wasn't there. I would have been if me and Chiaki and Nick hadn't been going to see Maddie and RJ."

"Your entire face just brightened when you mentioned Nick's name," Hermione teased.

Julie laughed. "Stop teasing me!"

"I will," Hermione said. "If you tell me details...you've been deliberately vague and infuriating!"

"Mum I can't tell you everything," Julie said, blushing. "But he's very sweet. And last night..." she lowered her voice. "He told me he loves me."

Hermione bit back her instant retort that Julie had only known him for a short time. That would have been very hypocritical for her to do as she had fallen in love with Harry in the same amount of time. "He did?" she finally asked Julie.

"Yes," Julie leaned against her mother. "I'm in love with him too. It happened so quickly but it has to be real. He makes me really happy, and I can hardly stop thinking about him when we're not together."

"I can certainly understand that," Hermione said softly, looking in Harry's direction.

"I've always told myself I want what you and dad have," Julie looked up at her mother. "It's a bit unrealistic, since I don't think anything could top your love story, but this definitely shows promise," she grinned impishly.

"Jules," Hermione said, grinning back at her. "I'm very happy for you. I just don't want you jumping into something so soon after Ryan. This isn't some rebound thing, is it?"

"Chiaki asked me the same question," Julie said. "I don't think it is- I mean, I know I'm thinking too far ahead but I can still see me and Nick together down the line. And I could tell he meant it when he said he loved me."

"I'm happy for you," Hermione said. "I am. Anyone who can make my girl smile like that is okay with me."

"Thanks Mum," Julie grinned and hugged her.

"Are you two just going to sit there all day or are you going to play?" Harry asked, teasingly. "Ethan and I think we can take the two of you."

"Oh please," Julie scoffed. "We're talking about stuff if you don't mind!"

"They're scared, Dad," Ethan scoffed.

Hermione grinned at her daughter. "Come on Jules, I think we can show them who the real athletes are."

Julie nodded and followed her mother off the porch. "Face it, Dad. You're not as fast as you used to be."

Harry smirked. "Come down here and say that."

Julie did as she was told and stood in front of her father. "Bring it on, Dad."

Hermione laughed at her husband's expression. "Come on Harry, show us what you're worth."

Ethan started down the lawn, kicking the ball. Julie and Hermione were hot on his heels and Harry was laughing as he ran alongside him.

"Come on Hermione," he teased. "Jules, show us those all star moves that you were bragging about."

That was all the incentive Julie needed as she was able to kick the ball away from Ethan and kicked it in Hermione's direction.

"Hey!" Ethan shouted.

"All's fair in love and football, little man," Julie called over her shoulder.

"Who said anything about love?" Ethan ran after his sister.

"Not me," Hermione said, running as fast as she could after Harry, who had managed to get the ball away from her. "Harry James Potter, you stole that from me!"

"That's the name of the game dear," Harry grinned.

"Go Dad!" Ethan called out.

Hermione caught her daughter's eye and they both took a running leap and tackled Harry to the ground. "Take that Potter," Hermione laughed.

"Yeah, Dad!" Julie giggled. "Where are those photographers now?"

Ethan jumped on top of them, not wanting to be left out.

From behind a tree, Ginny had watched the Potters having fun. She'd found herself walking past their cabin and hadn't meant to stop, but the sounds of their laughter had kept her in her place.

"Remember I can take on all of you!" Harry was shouting between fits of laughter.

"You're at the bottom of the pile," Hermione pointed out.

Harry quickly manoeuvred himself out. "Now I've got you," he grabbed Ethan first.

"Dad! I'm on your side!" Ethan exclaimed.

Ginny could picture a seven-year old Nick playing football with Harry, too. This could have been her life, if she hadn't fallen in love with Draco Malfoy, she thought morosely.

"Potters!" Ron came striding from the opposite direction and Ginny slid back behind the tree. "Break it up will you?" he grinned.

Julie laughed. "Mum and I just took on Ethan and Dad. This is Dad being a sore loser."

Ron laughed heartily at that. "He likes to do that after losing a chess match too Jules."

Julie nodded and helped her brother to his feet. "Come on, little man. Let's go get something to drink."

"Okay," Ethan said. "Can I have some sweets too?"

"Save some for me!" Ron called out as Ethan and Julie walked back into the cabin.

"What brings you by, Ron?" Hermione asked, dusting herself off.

"I wanted to talk to you about what happened by the lake," Ron replied.

"Steve had them taken from the property." Harry replied.

"Harry thinks it may have had something to do with our favourite little troublemakers," Hermione said with a sigh.

Harry nodded. "Who else would have sent them here?" he asked.

"In their defence," Hermione said, putting a hand up as Harry started to protest. "It could have been anyone. Those reporters could have gotten my itinerary from someone at the Ministry."

"Get real, Hermione," Ron said, folding his arms. "This has my little sister's name written all over it. Admittedly, it's not as bad as framing Harry for theft, but it's still right up her alley."

Harry shook his head. "We're only too glad to stay out of their way. I wonder why they want to cause so much trouble?"

"It's Ginny and Draco Malfoy," Ron said simply. "Come on, Harry. They're not happy unless everyone else is miserable. You should have seen her the other night when Mum dropped the kids off. She kept calling Darla by the wrong name. She looked as if she wanted to be anywhere, but where she was and she wouldn't even give Mum ten minutes of her time."

None of them heard Ginny huff angrily and stalk back in the direction of her cabin.

Harry shook his head. "How did your Mum deal with that?"

"She was upset," Ron replied. "But, it's par for the course where Ginny is concerned, isn't it?"

"At least she got to meet Nick right?" Hermione asked.

Ron nodded. "Mum was over the moon about that. She couldn't stop going on about what a handsome, charming grandson she had. He's such a great kid, you know? He certainly deserves a lot better than what he got from the two of them."

"You can say that again," Harry said.

"He's certainly got Julie infatuated," Hermione said with a smile.

"That goes double for him," Ron said, smiling. "You should have seen the two of them this morning when they came by to see the kids. I think you just may have the pleasure of having a Malfoy in your family someday, mate."

"Don't you think you're jumping too far ahead there Ron?" Harry frowned. "Julie's not getting married anytime soon."

"Don't get him started Ron," Hermione slid her arms around her husband.

"You know from this light, you look a little like Robert Granger," Ron teased. "Scary, overprotective father."

"Ron! That's my father you're talking about!" Hermione said, swatting him on the arm. "He's not scary!"

"That's right Ron, what are you saying?" Harry teased.

"Just that Hermione's father's somewhat...you know...frightening. Of course, he's not as bad as her grandfather. Now, HE was downright terrifying."

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed, picking up the ball and throwing it at him.

"Ouch!" Ron said as it hit him square in the face.

"Come on Ron," Harry grabbed his wife's hands and held them behind her back. "Tickle her. I give you full permission."

"Harry!" Hermione said, turning her head to glare at him. "You are so going to be in trouble when I get free!"

Harry grinned. "If we let you go that is."

"I don't know," Ron said, looking unconvinced. "Harry, your wife can actually be pretty scary, too..."

Hermione grinned. "See, Ron knows his place Harry James."

"Ron's a wuss," Harry said, grinning at his best friend.

"But a smart one at that," Hermione twisted free of her husband's grip.

"Uh-oh," Ron said, laughing. "You're in for it now, Harry."

"You'd better run Potter," Hermione threatened lightly.

"Someone's not going to be getting any tonight," Ron called out to Harry as he took off running. "Later, Rabbits."

"He's not telling the truth is he?" Harry asked as Hermione chased him back up onto the porch.

"Yes, he was," Hermione said seriously.

"But Hermione, I wouldn't have let him tickle you," Harry put on his best wounded expression- one that Ethan had picked up straightaway.

"Sure," Hermione said sarcastically. "What was it you said? 'Tickle her. I give you full permission.' Ring any bells?"

"But I was just kidding," Harry explained appealingly.

"Were you now?" Hermione asked.

"Of course," Harry slid his arms around her.

"You're really hard to stay mad at, you realise that right?" she asked, already weakening.

"I do my best," Harry grinned.

"Well, if you wanted to make it up to me later," Hermione said, nuzzling his neck. "That would be okay..."

"That sounds like a plan," Harry let his hand wander down her back.

14. Breathe

A/N: Thanks for the feedback on last chapter- we answered most of your reviews. Sorry, no L/S in this chapter but we’ve got some good stuff coming for them, we promise. As always, enjoy and please let us know what you think!!

Breathe – Michelle Branch

If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Breathe
Every little piece of me
You'll see
Everything is alright
If I just breathe

Well it's all so overrated
In not saying how you feel
So you end up watching chances fade
And wondering what's real

And I Give you just a little time
I, Wonder if you realize
I've been waiting till I see it in your eyes

If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Breathe,
Every little piece of me
You'll see
Everything is alright
If I just breathe
Breathe

Josh sat back in his lounge chair with a open book in his lap. He'd been sitting out here by the lake for nearly an hour and knew that he should get back to the cabin soon, but he knew that when he did go back, his parents would want to talk about what was wrong with him.

He honestly didn't know what was wrong with him. He'd had such high hopes for this holiday. This was going to be the summer that he finally made Julie see him as more than her friend. That might have happened if Nick hadn't come along. But, Josh knew, that Nick wasn't the issue. Julie saw him like a little brother and no matter what he did that wasn't going to change. It still hurt, though.

It wasn't helping matters much that Jon and Allison seemed to be getting closer. Jon was spending all of his free time with Allison and was even going to be eating dinner with the Longbottoms tonight instead of with the Weasleys. This bothered him more than he cared to admit. Everything was messed up and Josh didn't know what to do to fix it.

Julie strolled towards the lake with a towel in hand. She and Nick had arranged to meet that afternoon in their cove and she was about to get in the water when she saw Josh sitting nearby. "Hey!" she called out.

"Hey," Josh said distractedly as he looked up to see Julie.

"What are you up to?" Julie asked. "I haven't seen you much lately. You'd think we'd run into each other more since we're all staying in the same place."

Josh shrugged. "You've been busy."

"Yeah," Julie sat down on the edge of the chair. "Nick is really something else..." she chose her words carefully.

Josh let out a hollow laugh. "Yeah."

"Do you not like him or something?" Julie asked. "He thinks you're really cool."

"It's not that," Josh said quickly. "It's just...I can't talk about this with you, Jules."

"Why not?" Julie asked curiously. "Josh we're friends aren't we? I mean we may not be as tight as we were back at Hogwarts but--"

"Don't say it, Jules," Josh said, looking away. "You fancy Nick. I get that. And you see me as your little brother and you hope we can still be friends. Is that what you want to say?"

Julie looked at him a moment. "I guess..." she said softly. "But that's how it is Josh. We've always been friends... that's all it'll ever be."

Josh nodded. He'd pretty much figured that out for himself. "If I was four years older...."

"Josh..." Julie felt terrible. "It's not the age thing really. You're a friend, one of my very good friends. Even if you were older..."

"It's the red hair, isn't it?" Josh said. "You don't like blokes with red hair, do you?"

Julie bit her lower lip to keep from smiling at his remark. "I have nothing against guys with red hair."

"Yes you do," Josh said, laughing despite himself. He didn't have it in him to stay mad at her for very long. "Well, it's your own fault, Jules. You have to be so fantastic..."

"Josh," Julie leaned over and gave him a tight hug. "No matter what you'll always be one of my favourite people in the world."

"You've always been one of mine," Josh said, hugging her back. "Obviously."

"Yeah I know," Julie pinched his cheek. "I really never wanted to hurt you Josh. I hope you know that."

"I do," Josh said. "I'm sorry for acting the way I have when I've seen you the past few days. I just...I don't know. Do you ever get the feeling that you don't belong? That no matter what you do, you can't or don't fit in? I've just been feeling that way lately and I don't know why."

Julie scuffed her foot along the ground. "I guess everyone's sort of paired off and left you in the dark aye?"

"Yeah," Josh said, with a slight smile. "And then there's Jon...who's with Allie of all people! Can you believe that!"

"Not really, but he really seems to like her," Julie said, not noticing the sudden look on Josh's face. "When we were all out together he didn't stop staring at her the whole night."

"Has Allie said anything to you about Jon?" Josh asked, trying to sound as if he cared one way or the other. "She doesn't really like him, does she?"

"I think the feeling is pretty mutual," Julie said.

"That's just great," Josh said sarcastically.

Julie looked at him properly. "Josh... do you fancy her too?"

Josh looked up at her in surprise. "No, of course not...I mean she's really great and all, but she's just my friend...I don't...no....no...I don't fancy Allie."

Julie raised an eyebrow. "Well... if you do fancy her, you'd better say something and fast. She and Jon seem to be hitting it off. And at least that means he's leaving you alone for a change right?"

"Yeah," Josh said, laughing. "At least he's leaving me alone."

"Look on the bright side," Julie smiled at him. "Well... I have to go... but I'm glad you're feeling better, if only a little bit."

"Doing okay for someone who just had their heart broken by the girl of their dreams, aren't I?" Josh asked her. When he saw the frown on Julie's face, he quickly smiled back at her. "I'm okay, Julie. Really."

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yes," Josh said, and he found that he was telling her the truth.

"Okay," she said. "Listen- next time we all go into town, you're coming with, whether or not you have a date. I won't take no for an answer."

"You never have," Josh said, giving her a hug. "Say hello to Nick for me."

Julie's face turned red. "How did you know I was going to meet him?"

"I didn't," Josh teased. "Until just now."

"Joshua!" Julie exclaimed.

"See you, Jules!" Josh said, laughing.

Julie shook her head as she took her shirt and shorts off and hid them under a lounge chair. She dove into the water and surfaced a ways out and made her way under the trees.

Nick was sitting with his back to the water when Julie surfaced. He was so lost in his thoughts he didn't even hear her step up behind him.

"Boo," she leaned down and whispered in his ear.

Nick turned and gave her a slight smile. "Hey..."

"Hey," she gave him a quick kiss before sitting next to him.

"I think the world may be coming to an end or something because this morning I actually felt...sorry for my mother," Nick said absently. He'd been thinking of little else other than what had happened in their cabin this morning.

"Did hell freeze over or something?" Julie joked.

Nick nodded. "I don't know what is going on with her and my dad. When I came back to the cabin this morning, the two of them were shouting about something. I came into the cabin to find her in tears and my dad enraged. She walked out on him, Julie. Just turned her back on him and walked out of the cabin. She's NEVER done that. Never."

Julie felt bad. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "But everyone has arguments don't they? My parents have had a fair few in their time."

"Of course they do, but they've never fought like that," Nick said. "And from what I managed to hear before I came inside, they were fighting about your father."

Julie sighed. "They'll never let it go will they? They'll never let us be together without a fight."

"But that's just it," Nick explained. "It wasn't about you and me, Julie. My mother said something about how none of this would have happened, if she'd married your dad. What did she mean by that?"

"Apparently she used to have a thing for him- even though he never fancied her back." Julie said. "She blames my mum for stealing him away."

"I think she said it to get my dad angry, because it sure as hell worked," Nick said. He went on to tell Julie all about how after Ginny left, his father had blamed it all on him and thrown the champagne bottle. "He's lost it completely."

"He threw it at your head?" Julie asked incredulously.

"Sort of," Nick said. "I almost thought he was going to hit me or something. He was that angry."

"Nick that's horrible," Julie put her hand on his arm. "I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to be sorry," he said, turning around to look at her properly. "This isn't your fault. I don't even know why they're here. They have no friends. Mum doesn't even want to see her family. It just doesn't make sense."

"Well..." Julie slid closer to him. "For what it's worth, I'm glad they came. Because it means that you came... and if you weren't here then we wouldn't have gotten together."

He wrapped his arm around her. "I'm glad for that, too."

She leaned into him. "I just wish they were a little more open minded. I wish they didn't care about us being together."

"Well, that's a wish that's never going to come true, Jules. They're the least open-minded people on the planet," Nick said. "But it doesn't matter what they think. Once we're away from here, everything will be out in the open."

"I can't wait," Julie said softly. "I love you Nick."

"I love you," he said, kissing her. "No matter what happens, don't forget that. Okay?"

"I won't," Julie said, wrapping her arms around his neck and situating herself in his lap.

"I have it on good authority that someone is turning 20 next month," Nick said, resting his forehead on hers. "And I heard that someone is also having a party. I was just wondering if I was going to get an invite..."

Julie giggled. "You'd better believe you are," she kissed him. "I want you there with me the whole time."

"If you play your cards right," Nick said softly. "I might even sing you a song...in honour of your birthday of course."

Julie blushed. "You really would?" she asked a bit shyly.

"I would," he said, touching her cheek. "I've kind of been working on something for you. It's still early days yet, but I hope to have it finished in time for your party."

"You have?" she asked, unable to keep a pleased smile off her face.

"I have," he said, grinning at her. "The problem is that not too many things rhyme with your name. I'm having to get really creative."

Julie laughed. "I'm so glad you're the stubborn type," she leaned against him again. "I'm glad you stayed after me and got me to see how you really are."

"You're calling ME stubborn?" Nick asked her. "That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?"

“Well I didn't say I wasn't," Julie said. "But I just can’t believe a few weeks ago I didn't even like you." she giggled. "I thought you were gorgeous, but a prat. Look how wrong I was."

Nick tickled her. "What was that? Did you just say you were wrong?"

"Don’t let it go to your head," she laughed.

"Come on," Nick said, laughing. "I'm a Malfoy. We're known for our huge egos. And you just called me gorgeous...so how could that not go to my head?"

Julie pushed at his shoulder. "Egomaniac," she teased.

"Stubborn mule," he countered.

"I beg your pardon?" she asked. "Did you just call me a MULE?"

"I meant it in the best way possible," Nick said quickly.

"How can the word mule be meant in a good way?" she pretended to be offended.

Nick shrugged. "I'm sorry! It just came out. I mean mules are known for being stubborn. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you look like a mule or anything like that because...oh bloody hell, I'm making this worse, aren't I?"

Julie couldn't help herself. "I was just kidding," she laughed. "I know what you meant."

"You're lucky I love you so much," he said, reaching for her.

"Show me how much," Julie said when their noses were touching.

"That can be arranged," he said, leaning in and soundly kissing her.

"Mmm..." she said, her eyes closing as he pushed her back on the ground.

Nick forgot all about the problems with his parents, what had happened at the lake with Julie's family. None of it mattered now.

"Do we have time for this?" she asked.

"We always have time for this," Nick said with a grin. "Always."

"I'll keep that in mind," Julie said, already pulling down the straps of her bikini.

"I'll help remind you," he teased.

"By all means," Julie said, helping tug down his swim trunks.

Nearly an hour later, Julie and Nick were still cuddled up under the blanket Nick had brought along. It was getting rather cloudy and as Julie snuggled closer to him, Nick looked up at the sky. "Looks like it might rain," he said.

"I don't care," she said, kissing his bare shoulder.

Nick laughed. "Are you eating dinner tonight with your parents?"

"Probably," she answered. "Why?"

"I was hoping to talk you into catching a movie with me in town," Nick said softly. "We could meet up after you eat with your family."

"That sounds lovely," Julie smiled. "I didn't know they had a theatre there."

"They do," Nick said. "And I'll even buy you popcorn and candy."

Julie leaned over and kissed him. "I love you," she said softly.

"I love you," he echoed. "Come on. We should really get back."

"Do we have to?" Julie asked, kissing him again.

"Unfortunately," he said softly. "But we'll be together again in a couple of hours."

"I know," she said. "I just get used to being with you and I don't want to leave."

"I know," he whispered. "I feel the same way. But we won't have to do this for too much longer, Jules. I promise."

Julie kissed him again, quite passionately. "Come on then," she said, barely pulling away.

"Okay," he said. "You lead the way."

"Well I can't go anywhere unless you help me tie up my straps," Julie said coyly. "Unless of course you'd like half the resort to see."

"Right," Nick laughed. "Right. This is just for me, Potter. Got that?"

"Got it," Julie lifted her hair.

Nick tied her straps around her neck, pausing a moment to kiss her skin. He knew that it was quite possibly dangerous to get started again, but he couldn’t help himself.

Julie closed her eyes momentarily at the feel of his lips. “If you keep doing that we’ll never get out of here,” she said.

“I know,” Nick said. “Come on, before we get ourselves into trouble.” He grinned.

Julie watched as he hid the blanket up by a tree branch and they slid into the water. “Are your parents out there?” she asked.

“I don’t think so,” Nick peered through the branches. “Nope, not a sign of them. In fact, almost everyone is gone.”

“I guess it really will rain,” Julie peered at the sky. “I hope it clears up by tonight.”

Nick put his arm around her once they were back on shore and dressed. “I’ll walk you back,” he said.

“Thanks,” Julie kissed him quickly. Halfway back, the rain started to fall. “Honestly, I don’t think we’ll get any more wet than we already are,” she laughed.

Nick grinned at her. “That’s true.” He said. “We may as well take our time then.”

They came back by the cabin and Julie pulled him around the back which would shield them from the paths. “What are we doing back here?” he grinned.

“What do you think,” Julie said, pulling him close.

Nick laughed and covered her mouth with his, kissing her hungrily. Julie pressed her body to his, fitting her curves against him.

“Merlin…” she gasped for breath several minutes later. “Nick…”

“Your lips are all swollen now,” he grinned. “Everyone’s going to know what we were up to.”

“As if they didn’t guess already,” she laughed. “I guess I’ll see you later…” she kissed him again.

“After dinner,” Nick nodded. “I’ll come by here and pick you up.”

“Okay,” she said. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Nick kissed her one more time and Julie watched him walk in the direction of his cabin before she turned and went into her own.

*** *** ***

Allison sat between Jon and Josh later that afternoon on their porch steps. Josh had seemed friendlier than he had in days and for once he and Jon seemed to be getting along.

"So I hope we can all go out soon again," Allison said to Jon. "That was really fun. Josh has to come with us though."

"I wouldn't have a date," Josh said with a meaningful look at Allison.

"There's got to be some girl around here who would be glad to go out with you," Jon teased his brother good-naturedly. "Too bad Frankie's only 12."

"Funny Jon," Josh said but he didn't sound as irritated as he usually did.

"Al?" Jon asked, taking her hand. "There was something I wanted to ask you..."

"What's that?" Allison leaned against him.

Jon suddenly became more aware of his brother's presence and was trying to convey silently that he wanted to be alone with Allison, but for some reason Josh didn’t seem to be taking the hint.

"I asked my parents if it would be okay if you and I went into town on our own to catch a movie," Jon said nervously. "Um, it would be in the afternoon and all and they said it would be okay with them, if it was okay with your parents."

Allison smiled. "I'll ask them right now," she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and got up.

"I can walk you if you'd like," Jon said immediately getting to his feet.

"I'll be right back," Allison said. "Thanks though."

Jon sat back down on the steps beside Josh and watched Allison walk away toward her cabin.

"How am I supposed to go out with you guys without a date?" Josh asked.

"You can find someone," Jon encouraged him. "There are loads of girls around here, Josh."

Josh was silent for a minute. "How come you're being so nice to me?"

Jon shrugged. "I don't know. I guess Allie's rubbing off on me a bit. Being with her puts me in a good mood, I guess. And we are brothers. We can't be at each other's throats all the time, can we?"

"Guess not," Josh kicked at the dirt. "You're lucky you have Allie you know... I talked to Julie today and we... we sort of straightened some things out."

"You did?" Jon asked. "So you're finally over her, eh?"

"I guess," Josh said. "She's with Nick."

"And you're okay with that?" Jon asked gently. "I know I gave you a hard time about it and I'm sorry for that."

"You are?" Josh said in surprise.

"Yes," Jon said, laughing at the look on his brother's face. "I am. And if you want to give any of that back to me for me fancying Allie, I'd understand. Just don't do it in front of her."

"Do you really fancy her?" Josh asked. "I mean, really, really fancy her?"

Without a moment's hesitation, Jon nodded. "I really do. She's...amazing. I'll let you in on a secret; I've liked her for quite some time."

"You have?" Josh asked. "I never knew it."

"Well, I didn't want to tell anyone because quite frankly, I didn't think she'd ever fancy me back," Jon admitted.

"You're lucky," Josh said, trying not to give away his true feelings.

"I know," Jon said thoughtfully.

"They said I can go!" Allison was practically skipping down the path.

Jon bolted off the stairs and hugged Allison tightly. "That's great, Al!"

Josh watched with a slightly sad expression.

"My mum was okay with it, but I had to practically get down on my hands and knees to get Dad to say yes," Allison said with a laugh. "And Frankie, of course, slammed the bedroom door when she found out about it."

Jon laughed, too and tugged Allison's ponytail. "Who could possibly turn you down, Allie?"

"I can think of a few people," her eyes flitted for a moment to Josh but neither boy noticed.

"Jonathan Arthur Weasley!" Ron bellowed from inside the cabin. "Get in here this instant and clean your room. It's a complete disaster area!"

"Dad!" Jon's face turned bright red. "Sorry Al... I'll be right back."

"How bad is his room, exactly?" Allison asked, sitting back down beside Josh.

"Horrible," Josh replied. "He's got clothes everywhere."

"So I imagine he might be awhile then?" Allison asked, laughing.

"Could be," Josh grinned. "You might get stuck with me now..."

"That wouldn't be so bad," Allison said, nudging him. "It's really great that you're hanging out with all of us again. I haven't seen you much in the last few days."

"I know," Josh said. "I've been a little out of sorts lately. It's kind of lonely being the only single one here."

"You're not the only single one here," Allison said. She wondered if he'd finally gotten over his crush on Julie Potter and for the first time in quite some time, she found that she didn't really care as much as she used to. The red-haired boy cleaning his room at the moment had a great deal to do with that.

"I'm not?" he asked. "Well let's see... Julie and Nick have paired off... Chiaki's got Toshio even though he's not here... you and uh... Jon are um..."

Allison laughed. "I don't know what we are either..."

"I guess you could say you're going out," Josh said uncomfortably.

"Yes," Allison said in an equally uncomfortable tone.

Josh nodded. "So that leaves me the odd one out," he said. "Sorry Allie... I’m not trying to put you on the spot here."

"You're not," Allison said, patting his knee reassuringly. When she realised what she'd done, she quickly withdrew her hand. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Josh said.

Allison opened her mouth to say something, but changed her mind at the last minute. This entire encounter with Josh was strange and awkward. Things had never been this tense between them before. She didn't understand why.

"It's clean, Dad!" Jon called out as he made his way to the front door. "No, I didn't use magic..."

He laughed as he closed the front door behind him. "I just hope Dad doesn't decide to open the closet door again, right Josh?"

"Right," Josh said. "Well um... guess I'll leave you to at it- alone I mean... not at IT, whatever... it is..."

Allison turned crimson and Jon stared open-mouthed at his brother as Josh beat a hasty retreat back inside.

"Sorry about that, Al," Jon said, taking Josh's empty seat beside her.

"It's okay," Allison leaned against him, glad he was back outside.

"I'm so glad your parents said yes," Jon said, pulling her close.

"Me too," Allison said. Her heart started beating faster- the 'look' was back on his face, the one he had right before he had kissed her the first time.

Jon leaned in and gently pressed his lips to hers and kissed her softly.

Allison circled her arms around his neck, kissing him back. "Jon," she said softly. "I like when you kiss me."

He smiled and rested his forehead on hers. "I like it too, Al."

"I'm glad... you want to go out," Allison felt a bit silly but she went on anyways. "I've been having a really good time with you."

Jon grinned. "I feel the same way. Do you have any idea how scared I was that first night I asked you if you wanted to go for a walk? And now look at us..."

Allison laughed. "You were nervous?"

"Yes," Jon admitted. "You couldn't tell?"

"Not really," Allison replied.

"Good," Jon said, letting out a sigh of relief. "All that practise in front of the mirror paid off..."

She laughed loudly. "You crack me up Jon," she nudged his shoulder.

Jon playfully nudged her back and tickled her side, causing her to retaliate by tickling him back.

"Allie! Okay, Okay! I give!"

"That's right," She grinned. "You try and take me on, I'll show you a thing or two," she tossed her ponytail over her shoulder.

Jon kissed her once more. "I should probably walk you back. Wouldn't want your parents changing their minds, would we?"

"I should hope not," Allison grinned. "And after we go to the movie... I hope there will be more of this..." she pulled him close and kissed him.

When they finally broke apart, Jon stood up and offered her his hand. She took it and they both strode off toward her cabin, hand in hand.

*** *** ***

"I still don't see why she gets to go on a date...again," Frankie complained for what seemed like the twentieth time that morning. Cho sighed and put an arm around her youngest daughter. Shehad taken the girls with her tothe dance studio to watch herrehearse.

"Frankie," Cho said patiently. "We let Allison go the first time because it was a group date and we're letting her go this afternoon because it's just a movie. And it's not as if this is some random boy, this is Jon. Will you please just accept it and move on?"

"But I want to go out on a date too!" Frankie pouted.

"Frankie, you're only 12!" Allison said. "None of us got to date when we were that age!"

"Can't I go with you then?" Frankie asked.

"It's a date," Allison blushed. "This isn't a group thing this time."

"This is so unfair, Mum," Frankie said, folding her arms. "So unfair..."

Cho smiled at Allison. "Life is unfair sweetheart."

Coming down the path toward them was a blonde man and at first glance, Cho thought it was Nick. She put her hand up to wave, but dropped it quickly when she realised who it was. She'd been lucky in that she hadn't seen him since that disastrous dinner. Her luck though had obviously run out.

Allison saw him too. "Hey Frankie..." she said. "Even though you can't go, I was hoping maybe you'd come back with me to help me pick out something to wear to the movie."

Frankie beamed at her older sister, her anger momentarily forgotten.

"Thanks, Allie," Cho whispered.

She watched her daughters turn on the fork in the path and then took a deep breath. She probably could have gone with them and avoided Malfoy, but that was also taking the chance that he would follow them and start his usual nasty taunting. While everyone in their family knew the truth about Chiaki's parentage, it wasn't something brought up very often and Cho didn't want Malfoy spewing out garbage for her youngest two to hear.

Draco wasn't in the best of moods as he walked back from the restaurant toward his cabin. He and Ginny still weren't speaking to each other and he was again questioning why he'd even come here after her. Nick wasn't helping matters, either. As he saw Cho walking toward him, he groaned. He didn't need this now.

"Malfoy," she said coolly.

"Chang," Malfoy said evenly. He laughed. "No, wait a minute. You married that loser, Longbottom, didn't you?"

"Not that it's any business of yours, but yes, I did," Cho said. "And Neville's a wonderful father and amazing person, unlike yourself."

"Yes, of course he is," Draco said sarcastically. "As if your opinion even matters to me..."

"Frankly, I don't care if it does or doesn't," Cho said. "If you'll excuse me-" she tried to brush past him.

"Why are you going to be like that, Cho?" Draco said, blocking her way. "You and I were close once, weren't we?"

"Don't remind me," Cho said.

"I'll let you in on a little secret," Draco said, motioning for her to lean in. When she didn't, he just sighed impatiently. "The only reason I was with you was because you were Potter's best friend. It helped that you were hot, of course. And not all that bad in bed, either."

Cho slapped him hard. "The only reason I don't COMPLETELY regret our little... affair... is because I got Chiaki out of the deal."

Draco resisted the overwhelming urge to slap her back. He rubbed his cheek where she'd slapped him. "Who?"

Cho stared disbelievingly at him. "My daughter," she replied icily.

Draco rolled his eyes. "I thought you had a boy."

"You're disgusting," Cho turned away. "We had a baby daughter Malfoy. The one you signed away the rights to? The one who regards Neville as her father because UNLIKE YOU he took some responsibility in life!"

"I signed away rights because I didn't want you trying to weasel money out of me," Draco said icily. "And I still don't believe she was mine. For all I know, you were shagging Potter when I wasn't around."

"That happened LONG before that you git," Cho snapped. "And I didn't want your money."

"Right," Draco retorted. "So where is the brat?"

Cho glared fiercely at him. "Chiaki is not a brat! She's a sensible young woman who luckily hasn't managed to inherit any of YOUR bad habits."

"Did you ever think that might be because she wasn't MINE?" Draco asked her.

"She's yours," Cho replied, her patience almost gone. "By birthright only."

"So where is she?" Draco asked, looking around. "Did she come here with you?"

"She was there at dinner the other night when you marched in and tried to drag Nick off," Cho said. "I can't believe a couple like you and Ginny had a child."

Draco was finding his own patience running thin. "Perhaps its time I met my daughter. You wouldn't have a problem with that, would you Chang? After all, you are so convinced, she's mine..."

"It's up to her," Cho returned coldly. "Whether or not she wants to meet you. She's almost twenty one now after all." she moved closer, her eyes narrowing. "If I find out you said anything to hurt her..."

"What?" Draco said, getting right up in her face. "What are you going to do? Get Potter? I've never been scared of him, Cho. Never."

"You should be," Cho snapped. "But it's not Harry you'd have to worry about. I'll rip you apart Malfoy, if you dare hurt her in any way. And I'll start with your little baby maker down there."

"I'm shaking in my boots, Cho," Draco said haughtily. "Why don't you go back to your mediocre life and your average husband and your loser children? I've wasted my time long enough on you."

"If you dare hurt her," Cho said, ignoring his words. "I swear I'll hurt you ten times worse Malfoy."

"Why would I hurt my daughter?" Draco asked, smiling at her. "Good day, Cho." With that, he walked away.

Cho stood there fuming for a few more moments before stomping back to their cabin. She was glad to see Neville was there, reading one of his old Auror texts.

"How was practise?" Neville asked, looking up from his book. "Cho? What's wrong?"

Cho sat down hard next to him. "I hate Malfoy," she said, her voice shaking. "I hate him so much."

"What happened?" Neville asked. "Did you run into him? Did he do anything?" Neville slammed his book down on the coffee table, prepared to go over and hex Malfoy to within an inch of his life.

Cho shook her head. "He's just a bastard, Neville. He was just being himself, but he's just so damn infuriating. I'm worried about what he'll say if he runs into Chiaki."

"Me, too," Neville said quietly. "But, if it hasn't happened yet, maybe it won't. He was probably just trying to push your buttons, sweetheart. You and I both know he won't seek her out. There'd be nothing in it for him."

"I hope you're right," Cho leaned against him.

Neville sighed and put an arm around her. "I thought we'd never have to see him again."

"Same here," She leaned against him. "He was saying things about you too..." Cho shook her head. "I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't such an asshole."

"I do feel sorry for him," Neville said thoughtfully.

"Why?" Cho asked incredulously.

"Don't get me wrong," Neville started to explain. "I still think he's an asshole, but he doesn't know what its like to have the love of a good woman and have three children who he adores with all his heart. He doesn't know what that's like and because of that...I feel sorry for him."

Cho looked at him a moment and smiled. "You are really one of a kind," she leaned forward and kissed him. "And I'm so glad you're mine."

Neville grinned. "I'm glad that I'm yours, too."

*** *** ***

Hermione sighed as she held that day's issue of The Daily Prophet in her hand. "They just never let up," she said angrily. "Even though they have no pictures, they manage to fudge up some details about us and everyone buys it!" she tossed it across the room.

Lavender picked up the paper and sniffed. "Could that headline be any larger? Honestly, 'Minister Potter on Holiday while Ministry in Chaos', that's really a bit dramatic, don't you think?"

"The Ministry is NOT in chaos!" Hermione said crossly. "Where the hell would they pick that up from anyways?"

"Come on, Hermione!" Lavender exclaimed. "You know who's behind this. He's about six feet tall, has blonde hair and sneers a lot."

"He doesn't have access to this paper Lav," Hermione said. "He and Ginny may have set this up but it was that awful woman who was pretending to be a guest who wrote this. She's probably second in command to that horrible Rita Skeeter."

"Probably," Harry agreed from his spot on the sofa. "Hermione... this will blow over like everything else."

Hermione shook her head. "I need to get back to the Ministry and do some damage control."

"Damage control?" Lavender asked incredulously. "Hermione. You said so yourself---the Ministry isn't in chaos. So what if some reporter wrote about you swimming in a lake in a skimpy bathing suit. You're not 100 years old. What do they expect you to do? Sit in a rocking chair?"

"That's not the point here," Hermione said. "I'm in charge of the Ministry! I have to make sure everything IS in fact fine!"

Harry nodded. "Okay. Well, go ahead and check in, but remember we were going to have dinner with...okay, why are you looking at me like that?"

"Harry I might be gone a good deal of the afternoon if something is wrong," Hermione put her hands on her hips.

"Knowing you, we'll be lucky to see you by the end of the week," Lavender joked. When no one laughed, she frowned. "Okay, well...I think I'll just go and check on Ethan."

Harry looked at his wife. "Hermione... do you REALLY think you need to go in? This has happened before and it ALWAYS blows over."

"Look, you and I know that most of what the Daily Prophet writes is rubbish, but a great deal of people read it," she said. "The paper made it seem like I'm just lolling about having a good time at the expense of the Ministry. Right after I took office, it was a story about how I only got it because I was your wife. Then, they speculated if a mother and wife could devote her full attention to the needs of the wizarding world. When is it ever going to stop?"

Harry pulled her into his arms. "Probably never, but you're strong. Look how far you made it Hermione. You did this all on your own, not because you married me."

"I know you're right," Hermione said, relaxing in his arms. "I just wish everyone else thought the same way too."

"I think by now, even though a lot of people read the Daily Prophet they know it's trashy." Harry kissed the top of her head. "Ever since Luna became the star of the Quibbler..."

Hermione smiled. "Some nice, peaceful holiday this is turning out to be."

"Well other than a few slight disruptions it hasn't been too bad," Harry grinned down at her. "We've been able to spend some quality time with our kids... managed to sneak away quite a few times to revisit some old spots..."

"Yes we have," she said softly. "But I still think I should at least check in with the Ministry to see for myself that everything's okay. It would put my mind at ease."

"All right," Harry said, giving her a quick kiss. "But I'm going with you. Otherwise we may not see you again."

She laughed. "You're probably right."

"Of course I'm right," Harry said. "I married you. That means I'm always right."

"How do you reckon that one out?" Hermione asked him teasingly. "As I recall, it's usually me who is right."

"It's my brand of logic that always works," Harry said smugly.

"Your brand of logic?" Hermione asked. "Okay, now I'm intrigued. We've been married for how many years? I never even knew you had a brand of logic."

Harry pulled her close and gave her a bruising kiss on the lips. "That's how it usually starts," he said. "By the time I'm done kissing you, you're ready to do whatever I want."

"W-what were we talking about again?" Hermione asked, dazed.

"We were talking about maybe going swimming in the lake tonight with you in your red bikini," Harry said.

"Oh," Hermione said, nodding. "I like the sound of that."

"Right," Harry kissed her again.

"Come on," Hermione said, pulling away from him. "The sooner I check in with the Ministry, the sooner we can get back here and...You know..."

Harry made a face at her. "I almost got you to forget about that." he said.

"You're good," Hermione whispered in his ear. "But I'm better."

15. Kiss Me

A/N: Thanks again for all your continued feedback- sorry we didn’t get to review replies this time (we both had a busy day) but Saturday we’ll pick it back up. Enjoy this one and as always, please let us know what you think!

Kiss Me – Sixpence None The Richer

Oh, kiss me beneath the milky twilight
Lead me out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me

Julie tried not to laugh as Nick struggled to keep a hold of both their soft drinks and the tub of popcorn. They'd arrived a bit early for the afternoon matinee.

"If you're not going to let me carry anything, the least you can do is let me hold the door open for you," Julie said, reaching for the door handle.

"Jules I can get it," Nick said as the popcorn tub began to slip. Julie caught it just in time. "All right," he conceded.

"Thank you," she said, smiling at him. "And don't worry; I still think you're a big, strong man."

"I just don't want you thinking I'm a wuss," Nick teased.

"There's no chance of that," she said. "Okay. Do you want to sit in the back or in the front?"

"Back," Nick grinned mischievously.

"Okay," Julie said. "But you're not going to distract me like you did last night. You remember last night, don't you? We were supposed to be here, but we sort of became sidetracked."

"I'll say we did," Nick agreed as they settled in their seats in the last row. They had been on their way to the theatre when they had decided to grab a cup of coffee first. One thing turned into another and soon enough they found themselves right back in the cove.

"So, we're in agreement," Julie said resolutely. "We are going to watch this film and you're not going to try and grope me in the darkness or slobber all over me. Right?"

Nick grinned at her. "I'm not agreeing to that at all."

Julie reached into the popcorn tub and picked up some kernels. "What am I going to do with you?" she asked throwing some popcorn at him.

"Why don't you tell me?" Nick shook his head. "Hey that's going to get stuck in my hair!"

Julie laughed. "What a tragedy that would be!"

Nick poked her in the side. "What's that?" he asked. "Are you mocking me Potter?"

"No, Malfoy," she said, throwing some more popcorn at him. "I'm a Potter. We're much more civilised than that."

Nick leaned over and gave her a chaste kiss. "Civilised my arse," he said.

Julie put the popcorn tub down and grinned wickedly at him. "Is that the best you can do, Malfoy?"

"Why don't we wait for the lights to go out?" Nick said, his grey eyes darkening.

"Scaredy cat," Julie teased.

A few minutes later, the lights dimmed and a few last minute stragglers came walking into the theatre.

"I really am sorry that I was late picking you up," Jon apologised in a hushed tone to Allison as they took their seats. "Maddie wouldn't let me go until I'd finished playing Exploding Snap with her."

"That's okay Jon," Allison smiled at him. "I'm just glad we made it in time.”

He smiled and squeezed her hand. "Have I told you how glad I am that your parents let you come with me?"

"Yes you told me," she giggled quietly. "Last night about three times as you walked me back."

"Sorry," Jon whispered sheepishly. "You'll have to forgive me. I'm still new to this whole dating thing."

"Well so am I," Allison said as the previews started to roll. "But we're having fun and that's all that matters."

Jon turned to peck her on the cheek and as he did so, he saw a couple a few seats down snogging like there was no tomorrow. He tapped Allison on the shoulder.

"What?" she whispered.

"Look over there," Jon whispered back. "I think someone should get a room, don't you?"

Allison squinted and then slapped a hand over her mouth to hide her giggles. "That's Julie and Nick!"

"It is?" Jon asked, peering at them again. "You're right. It is!"

"That's so funny," Allison moved closer to him on her chair. "They don't even know we're here."

Jon put an arm around her. "I don't even think they realise anyone else is here."

Allison laid her head on his shoulder. "Well... if they don't see us we can tease them later. That would be REALLY funny."

"Allison Longbottom," Jon said in her ear. "You're a girl after my own heart."

She grinned back at him in reply, liking how she felt around him. It wasn't shy or awkward like she was with Josh. Being with Jon felt like being with a friend only much, much more.

Their conversation halted and they both tried to watch the movie and not look over at Julie and Nick who hadn't come up for air since the lights went down.

"You're trying not to laugh aren't you?" Jon asked Allison, struggling to keep his own composure.

"A little bit," she whispered. "I've never seen anyone kiss like that before."

"Josh and I once caught my mum and dad snogging like that," Jon said. "We're still trying to get over that."

Allison had to bite down hard on her lower lip to keep from laughing out loud.

"Okay," Jon whispered. "I guess we should be on good behaviour and watch the movie, eh?"

"Maybe," Allison said grinning at him.

"Unless of course you'd like to do what they're doing," Jon teased, motioning toward Nick and Julie.

"Why, do you?" Allison asked a glint in her eye.

"Only if you do," Jon said nervously.

Allison felt that excited yet nervous flutter in her stomach. "Do you want to though?" she asked softly.

"I just like being with you, Al," Jon whispered, squeezing her hand. He leaned in and kissed her softly.

"Me too," Allison replied, relieved and only slightly disappointed that they weren't snogging like Nick and Julie. Her heart wanted to, but her brain was holding her back.

Jon smiled back at her and they both directed their attention to the screen. As the movie began, Jon chanced a look at Allison.

She was watching the screen, but felt Jon's eyes on her. "What?" she turned to look at him.

Jon exhaled and cupped Allison's face in his hands and kissed her as he never had before.

From a few seats down, Julie and Nick had finally stopped snogging. Julie grinned as she caught sight of a couple of kids kissing a few seats down from them.

"Nick?" Julie asked, nudging him. "Look at that! It's Allison and Jon."

Nick grinned. "Think they saw us?"

"Probably not," Julie whispered. "You realise we're going to have to tease them unmercifully about this, don't you?"

"Of course," Nick said, leaning in to kiss her again. "But let's worry about that later. I only pulled away for a breather." He slid his hands into her long hair and pulled her lips to his.

Julie grinned as she closed her eyes. She knew they shouldn’t be snogging like this in public, as anyone could walk in, but kissing Nick felt so good.

Allison couldn’t believe that Jon was kissing her like this. She couldn’t believe she was kissing him back like this. It made made her glad they were sitting in the back row so that no one would be watching them. “Jon…” she whispered, pulling away several minutes later. “Wow um…”

“Yeah,” he said. “Me too.” He looked over her shoulder again. “Julie and Nick are STILL at it.”

“I think you’re more entertained by them than the movie,” Allison teased.

Jon kissed her again. “Funny Al,” he said. “Your lips are all swollen now.”

“And whose fault is that?” Allison asked.

“I’ll take credit for it,” Jon pulled her closer.

*** *** ***

Julie tagged behind her parents on their way to dinner. Harry and Hermione were laughing and talking like teenagers, and Julie cast a glance at her aunt Lavender, wondering if she knew why they were being so extra lovey dovey that evening.

"The Daily Prophet had an article on your family this morning," Lavender whispered.

"I knew that," Julie replied. "That's never made them so close before..."

"True," Lavender said. "But they've been like this since they came back from the Ministry."

Julie raised her eyebrows. "In other words, they haven't left each other's side all day long?"

"Pretty much," Lavender replied.

Julie shook her head. "We know what that means," she said in a low voice.

"What does it mean, Julie?" Ethan asked, from her other side.

"Oh nothing Ethan," Julie smiled at him. "It means you get another swimming lesson."

"He's just cross because he had to spend all day with mean aunt Lavender," Lavender said, pinching his cheek.

"You made me sit while you played dress up in all your clothes," Ethan glared at her.

"Lavender," Hermione said, turning around. "I thought you said you were going to take him for a walk!"

"I was going to," Lavender said. "But I got a little sidetracked."

Hermione sighed. "Come here, Ethan. I promise that tomorrow you won't have to sit inside all day."

Ethan shot Lavender a look and went to walk beside his mother.

Harry fell back to walk beside his daughter. "And you would be? I think you're my daughter, but it's been so long since I've seen you..."

"Funny Dad," Julie smiled at him. "I've been busy!"

Harry put an arm around her. "With a certain boy?"

Julie blushed. "Maybe," she hedged, thinking about the activities she'd been indulging in with that certain boy.

"Is he treating you okay?" Harry asked her. "Because if he isn't, you just say the word..."

"Dad he's treating me just fine," Julie assured him. "He couldn't be any more okay, trust me."

"Don't forget about us, though," Harry said, squeezing her shoulder. "We like spending time with you, too."

"I know," Julie said. "Tomorrow I promise I'll help with Ethan's swim lesson."

"Great," Harry said, as they walked inside the restaurant. He spotted the Longbottoms immediately and waved.

"Good evening, Potters," Steve said warmly. "Did you want us to pull some tables together so you can eat with Neville's family?"

"That'd be fantastic Steve," Harry grinned. "Thanks a lot."

A few minutes later, Harry and the rest of his family settled in with Neville's family.

"How are things at the Ministry, Hermione?" Cho asked.

"They're fine," Hermione said. "The article barely made any waves."

"Like I told you it wouldn't," Harry replied.

"The first time you've ever been right, eh Harry?" Neville asked teasingly.

Hermione grinned at him. "Right dear?"

"Right," Harry said, grinning back at her.

Julie grinned at Allison. "So... did you enjoy the movie this afternoon?" she asked, sharing a look with Chiaki.

"Oh, you mean you actually saw me?" Allison asked. "You looked a bit preoccupied."

Julie blushed. "Not as preoccupied as you and Jon."

Allison's eyes grew wide as saucers and she looked to make sure her parents weren't listening. "You saw that?"

"Everyone in the theatre saw that," Julie teased as Chiaki laughed. "You two redefined the sport of snogging."

Allison blushed. "We...um...well, we..."

"My little sister snogged her boyfriend in the theatre," Chiaki teased in a sing song voice.

Allison glared at her sister. "Chi! Mum and Dad might hear you!"

Chiaki and Julie both laughed at her. "It's nothing to be ashamed of Allie," Julie said.

"I wasn't ashamed," Allison said quickly. "I liked it."

Frankie looked up. "You were making out with Jon?"

"What?" Neville asked, his mouth agape.

"Frankie!" Allison hissed.

"Sorry," Frankie turned red.

"Where's that waiter?" Chiaki asked, trying to save her sister from her father's questions.

"Now wait a minute," Neville said.

"It was nothing, Dad," Allison said quietly. "Jon and I just went to the movies."

"I know that," Neville replied. "To SEE a movie, not to snog during one."

"Neville," Cho placed a hand on his arm.

"We didn't do anything wrong, Dad," Allison protested. "Really."

"Neville, she's a teenage girl and this is the son of one of your best friends," Cho said to her husband quietly. "I'm sure they behaved themselves."

"But we've never talked to her about...you know," Neville said in a hushed tone.

"Yes we have," Cho whispered. "Back when she was around ten or eleven. Neville... let's wait until later to talk about this." her daughter's face was still as red as a tomato.

"Okay," Neville said reluctantly. "But we're talking about this tonight."

"Allie, I'm so sorry," Julie said.

"It's not your fault Jules," Allison said.

"So," Chiaki said, leaning in. "Is he a good kisser?"

Allison looked to see if the adults were otherwise occupied before leaning in. "Well not that I had any prior experience, but yes, he is."

Chiaki and Julie grinned.

"This is so sweet," Chiaki said, hugging Allison. "Your first boyfriend!"

"Chiaki!" Allison said. "Please! I'm in enough hot water with Dad..."

"Well it's true," Chiaki said. "You've been out on a few dates now... I think you can consider Jon to be your boyfriend."

"But he hasn't said anything," Allison said. She looked at Julie. "Does Nick call you his girlfriend?"

Julie shrugged. "We haven't really talked about that yet... but I would assume yes."

Chiaki grinned as she saw the Weasley family walk into the restaurant. "Look, Allie."

Allison looked up to see Ron and his family coming toward them. Jon was grinning at her.

"Hello Ron," Neville said, coldly. "Jonathan."

"Hi..." Jon was confused at the look on Neville's face. Ron on the other hand, gave his friend a punch to the shoulder.

"Did you all order yet?" Ron said in greeting.

"No," Neville replied. "And I don't think there's any room..."

Cho kicked her husband under the table.

Luna put R.J. in the high chair that Steve had brought over for them as Maddie climbed onto Neville's lap and grinned at him in traditional Lovegood-Weasley fashion. "Uncle Neville you can smile," she said. "It's a good day!"

Despite himself, Neville did smile back at the little girl. "I'm sorry, Maddie. You're right. It is a good day."

"Sorry Neville," Ron retrieved his youngest daughter. "You know she hasn't got a shy bone in her body."

"She's an awful lot like that son of yours," Neville retorted.

Ron narrowed his eyes. "Care to explain that one Longbottom?"

Jon's face turned so red it was nearly indistinguishable from his hair.

"How about the fact that your son was groping..." Neville started to explain.

"DAD!" Allison exclaimed.

"Neville," Cho was starting to get angry. "We are NOT talking about this now!" she leaned in. "And you'd better stop treating Jon that way. He's only a teenager!" she hissed.

"What did you do to piss off Allie's dad?" Josh asked his brother.

"Nothing," Jon muttered, taking the seat across from Allison. He had been about to sit down next to her but under the circumstances he figured it wasn't such a good idea.

"Let's all just sit down and enjoy the evening, okay?" Hermione asked, trying to assuage the situation.

Neville saw how angry his wife was and nodded. "Okay," he agreed. "I'm sorry."

"Okay," Cho said quietly. "But I think you owe your daughter an apology as well."

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Neville dutifully said. "And Jon, to you as well."

Jon nodded and mouthed the words "I'm sorry" to Allison.

Allison gave him a slight smile in reply as Josh took the empty seat next to her.

"What did we just walk into?" Josh asked her.

"It's a long story," she replied.

Chiaki lowered her voice. "Allie and Jon were snogging and we were teasing her- and my dad overheard."

"Oh," Josh said quietly.

Allison was mortified but tried to regain a sense of composure. "Um... what was everyone going to order?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

"I was thinking about getting the grilled chicken," Julie said, smiling sympathetically at the younger girl.

"That sounds nice," Allison replied softly. She looked to her side and saw Josh giving her an odd look.

"Don't worry," Josh told her reassuringly. "Your parents will be over this in no time at all. That's the good thing about having siblings, right? They'll do something worse than you did and all will be forgotten."

"Right," she smiled a little at him. The look in his eyes made the butterflies reappear in her stomach, and a bout of confusion rose as well. He was looking at her much like Jon looked at her- the way Allison had wanted Josh to look at her before she had begun seeing his brother.

"Do you think Allie's dad hates me now?" Jon asked Julie. "He keeps looking at me like he wants to punch my lights out or something."

"He's probably just upset that his daughter is growing up," Julie said, trying to comfort him. "My dad was the same way when I first began dating."

Jon nodded. "I wonder how your dad would feel if he knew what YOU were doing this afternoon," he said, grinning at her.

Julie narrowed her eyes. "Nice try," she said.

Jon laughed. He looked across the table at Allison who was talking to Josh.

"I really like her, Jules," he said. "I hope I didn't screw things up today when I...well, when we...."

"I doubt you did," Julie reassured him. "She seems to like you a lot too Jon."

"She does?" Jon asked, pleased. "And what about you and my cousin?"

Julie raised an eyebrow. "You know what you saw this afternoon," she said coyly.

"I do," Jon said.

"There you go," Julie sat back with a grin, obviously satisfied.

From a few seats down, Harry put an arm around his wife and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"What exactly did the two of you do this afternoon?" Cho asked.

"The bunny hop." Harry answered.

"You never change," Cho said, shaking her head. "I honestly don't know why we all put up with you."

Hermione swatted Harry's arm. "We don't have to shout out what we do down the table Harry," she said to her husband.

"I'm sorry," Harry said sheepishly. "There are innocent children here after all."

"That's right," Ron chimed in. "My innocent ears too."

Luna laughed. "Ronald, you are the love of my life, but you are about as innocent as Malfoy is a saint."

Cho shuddered. "We know he's the furthest thing from a saint."

"Did something happen?" Harry asked when he saw Neville and Cho exchange a look.

"Just a run in with our favourite snarky bastard," Cho replied. "He had a few choice words for me."

"What did he say?" Harry asked, his grip tightening on the arm rests of his chair.

Cho shook her head. "It was mainly a lot of nonsense," her look made Harry realise they had exchanged comments about Chiaki and Cho didn't want to go into that here.

"I've had just about enough of him," Harry said angrily.

"We all have," Luna agreed.

"It's just mainly trying to stay away from him." Hermione said bemusedly. "Honestly- I can't figure out why he'd want to come by any of us other than to try and feel better about himself by running us down, whether in his mind or his words."

Cho looked down the table at Chiaki who was laughing with the other kids, oblivious to what was going on. She wanted to keep it that way.

"Well on the bright side, we've managed to survive another crisis with the Daily Prophet," Hermione changed the subject abruptly.

"Yes, it's a shame we didn't get a picture of the Minister in her skimpy, scandalous bathing suit," Lavender teased her cousin.

"You've all seen enough of me in my skimpy scandalous bathing suit," Hermione laughed. "Although they seem to have gotten plenty of you and Seamus before Steve made them hand over their film."

Lavender blushed.

"Where is Mr. Finnigan this evening?" Neville asked.

"He's got some things to do for his film," Lavender said a bit wistfully. "Guess he uh... heard from his girlfriend."

"Well, he's still here and she's in the States," Cho said reassuringly. "My money's on you, Lav."

"We're just friends," Lavender replied. "I mean... it took us a lot to just get that far you know?"

"I know," Hermione said. "But you want more, don't you?"

She shrugged. "We'll see," the blonde replied, not wanting to voice her innermost thoughts.

"Hey, Jules?" Chiaki asked her friend. "Are you up for going dancing after dinner?"

"Sure," Julie said. "We haven't gone up there in awhile. That sounds like fun."

"I want to go!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Frankie it's for adults only," Chiaki said. "You keep forgetting you're only 12."

"Age is nothing but a number," Frankie said simply.

"Where on earth did you hear that from?" Chiaki asked, trying not to giggle.

"You," Frankie said smugly.

Chiaki wondered when she had said something like that and it dawned on her that it was when Grandmother Longbottom had expressed concern that Chiaki was getting married much too soon. "Frankie," Chiaki said laughing. "You soak up everything like a sponge, do you know that?"

"So can I go?" the young girl asked eagerly.

"No," Chiaki said gently. "But if it makes you feel any better, neither can Allie."

Frankie pouted. "I never get to do anything fun!"

"Neither do I," Ethan chimed in, glaring at Lavender.

"Ethan I'm sorry," Lavender said. "I really meant to take you out but--"

"You had to try on your new clothes," Ethan finished for her. "I know..."

Julie laughed. "Ethan, stop fussing. You'll get to be out all day tomorrow."

"I don't understand girls," Ethan said, shaking his head.

"You will someday," Julie teased. "Some girl's dad will be giving you the third degree like Grandpa did to Dad when he and Mum got together."

"It wasn't that bad," Harry said. "And why do you all have to keep bringing this up? That happened in the past. Dr. Granger and I are on great terms now."

"He's still making you call him 'Dr. Granger'?" Cho teased.

"It's a respect thing," Harry said.

"Sure it is," Ron scoffed.

"At least I never cowered in front of Malcolm," Harry shot back. "Ron used to practically curl into a little ball when he was around."

"I did not!" Ron retorted. "You were just as scared of him as I was!"

"He was intimidating," Harry agreed. "But I didn't wet myself in his presence." Everyone laughed at Ron.

"Did you really, Dad?" Jon asked, chuckling.

"Harry's just being a wanker," Ron glared at his best friend.

"Wanker," Maddie nodded in agreement.

"That's just great, Ronald," Luna said. "Way to teach our daughter that fabulous language of yours."

"Sorry dear," Ron grunted. "Maddie, that's not a nice word."

"But you said it, Daddy," Maddie said, grinning at him.

Ron squirmed under Luna's glare. "Well sweetheart, that's because I'm an adult, and I'm allowed."

"That's not fair, Daddy," Maddie said, echoing Frankie's sentiment and tone from earlier.

When Ron looked to Luna for help, she shook her head. "Oh no you don't. You dug yourself into this hole, it's up to you to get yourself out."

"Sweetheart," Ron said, ignoring the chuckles from his so called friends and wife. "Once you become a big girl- well... a bigger girl... then you can talk like Daddy."

"Ronald!" Luna exclaimed.

"I don't know what to say!" Ron groaned in frustration. "Okay, Maddie. You know how I am? Don't ever do anything like Daddy, okay?"

"But you like it when I eat like you," Maddie said in confusion. "You tell me that when I don't tell Mummy about you eating all the biscuits."

"Oh, that's just great!" Luna said, glaring at him. "Now you've got our four-year old lying for you."

Ron groaned as Maddie giggled at him. "You're silly Daddy."

"You're the only one who understands," Ron said, taking his little girl in his lap. "And thanks to all of you for helping me out."

"We love watching you make a fool of yourself Ron," Neville grinned, the earlier animosity forgotten. "It's just so easy."

"You're a W-A-N-K-E-R, too," Ron said.

"Wanker," Maddie said, nodding.

*** *** ***

Seamus sighed impatiently as he held his mobile phone to his ear. He'd been on hold for nearly ten minutes and had finally managed to reach her at the studio. He was about to hang up when Summer's bubbly voice came on the line.

"This is Summer," she said giggling.

"Hey," Seamus smiled as he heard her voice. "It's Seamus."

"Oh," Summer said, the lightness disappearing from her tone. "Hi...Shamy."

"How's everything over there?" he asked. He felt bad as he'd not once tried to contact her since she left for the States. Out of a sense of duty he'd skipped dinner with his friends and Lavender that evening to try and get a hold of her. "The movie part still yours?"

She was obviously carrying on a conversation with someone else, as he could hear a male voice in the background. "No, no..." he heard her say. "I'll be right there. This won't take long."

"Who is that?" he asked curiously.

"No one," Summer said a little too brightly.

"Oh..." Seamus drummed his fingers on the tabletop. "I'm uh... I'm sorry I haven't called--"

"It's okay," Summer said. "I should probably tell you something, Seamus. I hope you won't be angry with me. It just sort of...happened."

"You're seeing someone else aren't you?" his voice was strangely flat, although he didn't feel as much disappointment as he thought he might.

"You know Chad Templeton, don't you?" Summer asked, referring to one of the up and coming actors who was known more for their looks than their acting abilities. "He's my co-star on the film and we've sort of clicked. I'm sorry, Seamus. I never meant to hurt you."

"I see..." Seamus said. "Didn't he just get divorced about two weeks ago?"

"Yes, but she never understood him," Summer explained. "And she was cheating on him with anything that moved."

"Right," Seamus sighed. "Were you going to tell me when I got back or let me see you both in the tabloids?"

"I've been wanting to call you Seamus," Summer said mournfully. "I really was. I just didn't want to break your heart. You've been so great with me and I wouldn't be where I was if it hadn't been for you. But, we never really had that much in common, did we? You...you never wanted to go out. You just wanted to stay at home and screen films and I like going out and having a good time. We never would have lasted."

She was right, he knew. "Yeah," he finally said. "Well... I guess I really can't be too angry Summer..."

"You're not?" Summer asked. "Oh I'm so relieved! I was afraid you were going to hate me!"

Seamus smiled despite himself. "We can still be friends right? After all, I'm going to be your director for your big movie."

"Of course!" Summer exclaimed. "When you get back from Britain, you have to give me a call, okay?"

"I will," Seamus replied. "Good luck with you and Chad all right? And I'll see you in a few weeks."

"Thanks, Seamus," Summer said. "And good luck to you. You're the best!"

Seamus clicked off his phone, feeling slightly upset but relieved at the same time. He didn't have to feel guilty about his re-emerging feelings for Lavender anymore.

*** *** ***

Luna sighed as she and Ron rocked gently on the porch swing. It was a warm, clear night and she was enjoying every quiet moment of it.

"You hear that?" Ron asked. "No one's fighting. No one's complaining. That's the greatest sound in the entire world!"

Luna laughed softly. "I know. It's amazing but even our boys are getting along for a change. Did you see them at dinner talking instead of arguing?"

"Did you have something to do with that?" Ron asked, raising his eyebrows at her.

"Not a thing," Luna looked up at him.

"And our little four year old who is going on 40," Ron said with a laugh.

"With no thanks to you Ronald," Luna replied. "You better start watching your language around her."

"I felt really bad about that," Ron said sheepishly. "I forget how easily she picks up things. And you could have helped me out, you know!"

"It was funnier trying to see you get yourself out," Luna giggled and leaned against him again as he wrapped his arm around her. "At least Neville calmed down..."

"What was his problem by the way?" Ron asked. "He kept glaring at me throughout dinner."

"Didn't you listen to him?" Luna laughed. "Jon and Allie were kissing when he took her to the movies this afternoon. She's Neville's little girl. Wait until Drew, Darla and Maddie start dating. You'll be a right terror to their boyfriends."

"Drew, Darla and Maddie are never dating," Ron said stubbornly. "Never."

Luna shook her head. "You know they'll never settle for that."

"This is non-negotiable," Ron said. "I know what teenage boys are like...I was one. They don't need to be exposed to something like that."

"I liked you when you were a teenage boy," Luna pointed out.

"You did?" Ron asked her. "But when we were in school, I was horrible to you!"

"I've told you time and again that I fancied you back at school," Luna kissed her husband.

"But I was really terrible to you, Luna," Ron protested. "I still feel bad about that. I'm just so glad that I finally wised up."

"So am I," Luna kissed him again. "If not, I was going to have to turn you over to a herd of Doxies and Chimeras."

Ron laughed. "Good thing I wised up then, eh?"

"Very good," Luna leaned in and gave him a very passionate kiss.

"Wow," Ron said a goofy grin on his face when they finally pulled apart.

"We haven't had a whole lot of time together since we got here," Luna said dreamily.

"No," he said, pulling her close. "We haven't. That's going to have to change, Luna. This is the place we fell in love, right? And this was where you told me that story about the moon following you...."

"Ronald!" Luna hit his shoulder.

"I thought it was cute!" Ron said, rubbing his shoulder. "Watch it, woman!"

"You promised not to tease me about it!" Luna said. "And the moon DOES follow me, for your information."

"But I wasn't teasing you about it," Ron said defensively. "You know I'm seriously considering stopping talking completely so I don't get myself into any more trouble."

"What will you do in place of talking?" Luna purred.

"Eat," Ron answered simply.

She raised an eyebrow. "And?"

"Oh, kiss my wife, of course," he said, leaning in for another kiss.

"DADDY!" Maddie's voice called out from the cabin.

At the same time, Drew threw open the cabin door and stood in front of her parents, hands on her hips. "Darla won't stop singing! And I'm trying to sleep! DO SOMETHING!"

"Hey," Ron said. "There's no yelling- other people might be trying to sleep."

"Well, if Darla can sing, why can't I yell?" Drew asked, frowning. "And for your information, Dad---I'm trying to sleep!"

"All right," Ron grumbled, getting up from his comfortable seat. "Darla, sweetheart, now's not the time for singing, even if it is about the Chudley Cannons."

Maddie came running into the room in her pyjamas and launched herself at her father. "Daddy! You were supposed to read me a story!"

"But you went to sleep, Maddie," Ron said, softly. "I can't read to you when you're asleep."

"But I'm awake now!" Maddie grinned brightly.

"I'll read you a story," Luna came in behind her husband. "Daddy has to put Drew and Darla to bed."

"Okay, Mummy," Maddie said, yawning. "But you better do all the voices and read the longest story in the book, okay?"

Luna looked at her husband. "Later?" she said.

"Definitely," Ron said, smiling at her before he followed Darla and Drew into their bedroom.

He got Darla to stop singing and Drew was happy and both asleep, so Ron went out to the main room to wait for his wife. He saw Jon sitting in the dark so he snapped the light on.

"Why are you sitting in the dark, Jon?" Ron asked, sitting down beside his son.

"Do you think Allie's dad hates me?" Jon asked. "He normally talks to me and tonight he would hardly look at me."

"Neville doesn't hate you, Jon," Ron said with a laugh. "He's the father of a teenage girl who doesn't want to admit his little girl is growing up. Don't take it personally, son."

"Yeah but what if he won't let Allie go out with me anymore?" Jon said.

"Did you do something that would make him not want to let Allie go out with you?" Ron asked. He, too, had noticed Neville's chilliness, but he'd chalked it up to being a protective father. There had to be some reason behind it, though.

"Well..." Jon rubbed the back of his neck. "Today when we went to the movie... we sort of were kissing, you know... snogging a bit, but I swear Dad I didn't try to touch her or anything, we just kissed..."

"Oh," Ron said thoughtfully. "And you didn't try and force Allie into doing anything?"

"Dad I swear I didn't," Jon said.

"Neville must have found out about it somehow," Ron guessed. "I don't think Neville's going to stop letting you see Allie. Not for something like that."

"Really?" Jon seemed to brighten up a little.

"Yes," Ron said reassuringly. "You really like Allie, don't you?"

Jon nodded. "She's really great Dad. She's funny and pretty and I really like spending time with her."

"I'm happy for you, Jon," Ron said, grinning at him. "Allie is a great girl and I think she fancies you quite a bit, too."

"You think so?" Jon asked eagerly.

"Aye," Ron said, nodding. "And really, don't worry about Neville. I imagine I'll be just like him when Drew and Darla start dating...when they're around 40 years old."

"Dad you know they'll never settle for that," Jon laughed.

"They don't have a choice," Ron said. "Of course, I let you start dating at 16 so I imagine they'll want to do the same, but I'm going to let them in on a little secret. No bloke is ever going to be good enough for my girls."

"That's probably how Neville feels," Jon said.

"Probably," Ron admitted. "But you've got Cho on your side, Jon. And besides, you're a Weasley. We're absolutely perfect."

"Says you," Luna rejoined them. "Jon don't listen to your father."

Ron stuck his tongue out at Luna. "Sweetheart, tell Jon that Neville doesn't hate him."

"Of course he doesn't," Luna sat down on Jon's other side. "Jon, you'll laugh when your father starts acting like this in a few years when Drew, Darla and Maddie are dating."

"A few years?" Ron asked incredulously. "Luna...I told you they're going to date when they're 40."

Luna shook her head. "Come on Ronald," she said.

"See what you have to look forward to, Jon?" Ron asked, as Luna led Ron back outside.

"I hope I never snog like you two in front of my kids," Jon replied.

"You will," Ron said.

"No way," Jon said. "Me and Josh both said we'd never make our kids walk in on what we see all the time," he playfully scowled at his parents.

"You just be lucky we're your parents and not Harry and Hermione," Ron retorted.

"What would be wrong with that Ron?" Luna asked.

"I'm going to bed," Jon said quickly as his father became flustered. "There are some things I'm not supposed to know about. Good night, Mum. Dad."

"Good night sweetheart," Luna said.

"Good luck, Dad," Jon said, smiling at his parents before going inside his bedroom.

"See? I'm just going to quit talking," Ron said.

"Right," Luna said, leading him back onto the porch. "And we were right about here..." she leaned in.

"Oh, yes," Ron said huskily. "I remember that."

*** *** ***

Cho sighed impatiently as Neville turned over again. They'd gone to bed nearly half an hour ago and the entire time, Neville had tossed, turned and tugged at the covers trying to get comfortable.

"Can't sleep?" Cho asked sarcastically.

"No," Neville said, flopping onto his back. "What was your first clue?"

"Oh, I don't know," Cho replied. "Lucky guess."

"I just can't sleep knowing what I know," Neville replied.

"Knowing what you know about what?" Cho asked, resting on her elbow. "Merlin's beard! Neville, is this about Allie?"

"Cho, we allowed her to go out with Jon and now we found out she's snogging in the movie theatre!" Neville said.

"She's 15 years old, Neville," Cho said. "And Jon's a very nice boy."

"That's not my point," Neville said.

"It's getting really late, Nev," Cho said, sitting up in bed. "Do you mind telling me what your point is so we can get some sleep?"

"She's not old enough for things like this Cho." Neville said.

"Neville," Cho said patiently. "I understand how you feel. I do. She's your little girl and it’s hard for you to think of her as growing up, but she didn't do anything wrong. All she did was kiss the boy that she fancies. That's all."

Neville sighed. "I can't sleep until I talk to her about this."

"Neville!" Cho exclaimed, as he pulled back the covers. "It's nearly one in the morning!"

"Exactly," He got up. "I'm sure she's still awake."

"Neville!" Cho said, following him out of their bedroom. "This is crazy..."

"Allie," Neville ignored his wife. "Are you awake sweetheart?"

Allison groaned as she heard the knocking on her door. "Go away."

"She's asleep!" Cho hissed, but Neville gently opened the door.

"Dad?" Allie asked groggily. "What is it?"

Cho glared at him. "Your father's being an idiot."

Allison blinked at the bright light in the room. "What's going on?" she yawned.

"Allie?" Neville whispered. "How about you come into the sitting room with Mum and me so we can have a nice chat? I don't want to wake up your sister."

Cho huffed. "This is ridiculous."

"A nice chat about what?" Allison was still squinting.

"Just come on out here with us, okay?" Neville asked, holding the door for his wife, who glared at him and a sleepy Allison who rubbed her eyes as she followed them out into the sitting room.

"What are we doing up?" Allison asked when they all sat down. "Dad if this is about me and Jon--"

"It is Allison," Neville said. "Your mother and I..."

"Leave me out of this," Cho interjected.

"Okay," Neville said, glaring at her. "I have some concerns."

"About what?" Allison asked incredulously. "Dad we kissed."

"It's not as big a deal as you think Neville," Cho's eyes looked like daggers.

Neville ignored Cho's looks and sat down across from his daughter. "Okay. Well, sweetheart...you see you're growing up now and I understand that you're looking at boys differently than you used to..."

Allison stared at him with one eyebrow raised.

"And boys these days, they really are just after one thing, Allison," Neville continued.

"You have got to be kidding me," Cho said. "Neville... she KNOWS all this."

"Well, she needs to hear it from her father," Neville said defensively. "Boys might try and get you to do something that you're just not ready to do and you can tell them no, Allison."

"Dad..." Allison's face had turned as red as it was during dinner. "You went over this, before I was even Frankie's age."

"But you weren't dating then, Allie," Neville pointed out.

"I still know what it means Dad," Allison said, a bit angrily. "I'd think you'd trust me more than this."

"I do trust you, Allie," Neville said quickly. "I do. I just don't trust...boys."

"Neville, you have known Jonathan Weasley since the day he was born," Cho told him.

"Exactly," Allison was grateful her mother at least understood. "And you gave me special permission to date him just BECAUSE we've known him all our lives."

"Well, yes, but..." Neville stammered.

"Well why do you think he'd try do make me do anything I didn't want to do?" Allison stood up. "I'm going back to bed."

"Good night, sweetheart," Cho said, kissing her on the cheek.

Allison muttered to herself as she left the room and she slammed the door lightly behind her.

"Now are you satisfied?" Cho asked her husband.

"I may have overreacted," Neville said, sinking down into the sofa. "But she's my little girl, Cho."

She relaxed and sat back down next to him. "I know that but we went through this when Chiaki began dating, are we going to have to do it with Frankie as well?"

"I hope not," Neville said, shaking his head.

"Well let's take a lesson from this," Cho said gently. "Come on Neville, you know that Jon would never do anything to hurt Allie. And you know our daughter is more sensible than to get seriously involved at a young age. They're just having fun together."

"Really?" Neville asked her.

"Really," Cho replied.

"This would have been so much easier if we'd had three boys," Neville said, grinning at her.

"Poor you, all alone with all this estrogen," Cho gave him a kiss.

"Yeah, poor me," Neville said, yawning.

"Come on you," Cho said. "I'm tired, and maybe now you'll leave us all alone so we can get some sleep."

"Yes, dear," Neville said, as he followed Cho into the bedroom.

16. Romeo and Juliet

Hi guys- sorry for the short A/N but I (Heaven) am completely exhausted- working in a grocery store around any holiday is like a death wish and I’m pretty much dead on my feet at this point.

You L/S fans will enjoy this one most of all! Thanks for reading and please let us know what you think! It only takes a few seconds to leave us 10 words of feedback :)

Romeo and Juliet – Dire Straits

Juliet

the dice were loaded from the start
And I bet and you exploded in my heart


And I forget the movie song
When you wanna realise it was just that the time was wrong

Juliet?

Nick went along the path that evening towards the Potter's cabin. He and Julie hadn't made any plans for that night so he decided to stop by and see what she was up to. His parents were busy ignoring one another and it made him only too glad to escape the confines of the cabin the three of them were sharing. He knocked on the door and Ethan answered it a moment later. "Hey little man," Nick greeted him.

"Nick!" Ethan said, giving him a high-five. "You haven't been here in ages!"

"I know," Nick said. "Sorry about that."

"Come on inside, "Ethan said. "I have some really cool toy cars and this really wicked track to race them on..."

"Actually..." Nick said. "I'm here to see if Julie's around..."

"She went out with Kiki," Ethan said, frowning.

"Kiki?" Nick asked, confused. "That's.... not another guy is it?"

"It's what he calls Chiaki," Hermione explained from her perch on the sofa. She was going over some paperwork. "When he was little he could never say her name correctly. But, don't ever call Chiaki that. She only lets Ethan call her that."

"Oh," Nick said. "I'm sorry- I didn't notice you back there Mrs. Potter."

"Hello, Nick," Hermione said warmly. "It's good to see you."

"You too," Nick smiled at her. "So Julie's not here?"

"No," Hermione said. "She and Chiaki went dancing."

Ethan tugged at Nick's hand. "Come on, Nick. There's no one else to play with. My dad had to check in with his division. He's an Auror, you know."

"Yeah I know Ethan," Nick said. "They're up at the club then?"

Ethan stomped off and sat down beside his mother on the sofa.

"What's wrong, Ethan?" Hermione asked.

"No one wants to play with me anymore!" Ethan crossed his arms angrily.

"Of course they do," Hermione said, setting her paperwork aside. "Daddy's going to be back very soon and you were going to play a game of Exploding Snap with me, remember?"

"It's not the same," Ethan huffed.

Nick felt out of place. "I'm sorry Ethan," he apologised. "Hey, if you're having a swim lesson tomorrow how about I stop by and help you out then?"

"Really?" Ethan asked happily. "You'd do that?"

"Sure I will," Nick promised.

Ethan grinned and went back to playing with his cars. Hermione stood up and walked over to Nick.

"That's really sweet of you to offer, Nick, but what about your parents?"

Nick shrugged. "They're too involved with bickering these days to pay attention to me, so I use it to my advantage."

Hermione certainly wasn't surprised to hear this, but she decided to keep her comments and opinions on his parents to herself. "Well, we'd love to have you join us tomorrow."

"I'll be there," Nick smiled at her.

"You going to try and catch up with Julie and Chiaki?" Hermione asked him.

"Yeah, I hope so," Nick stepped back outside. "Thanks- I'll see you all tomorrow at the lake then."

"Bye, Nick," Hermione and Ethan called out to him.

Nick hurried up towards the employee disco and slipped inside, looking around the room for his sister and Julie.

"Nicholas Malfoy," a sultry voice purred in his ear. He turned around to see the raven-haired girl who'd chatted him up a few weeks ago at the lake. "You've been in hiding."

"Selena..." he said in surprise. "Hey how are you."

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she said, winking at him.

Nick nodded. "What have you been up to?"

"A little bit of this," Selena said, fingering with the collar of his shirt. "And a little bit of that. You know how it is."

Nick smiled and pushed her hands down. He was used to dealing with fans who liked to overstep their bounds.

"You smell really great," she said, not deterred in the slightest. She stood on her tiptoes and buried her face in his neck. "Is that cologne?"

"Probably," Nick pulled back. "I have to find my girlfriend if you'll excuse me."

"You don't have a girlfriend, Nicholas," Selena said, following him. "I read it in the papers that you are S-I-N-G-L-E."

"I was before I came here," he was starting to get annoyed. Most fans would just accept what he said and go, but apparently not this one. "I met someone I enjoy being with very much."

"Oh," Selena said, frowning. "I had no idea. But you've only been here a few weeks. It can't be that serious."

"I like her a lot," Nick explained. "It's all happened fast."

"Hey little brother," Chiaki said, slapping him on the back. "I was wondering when you'd get here!"

"Hey Chiaki," Nick greeted her. "This is Selena."

Chiaki took one look at the girl who was wearing a form-fitting dress and her smile faded. "Hello, Selena."

"Hello," the other girl purred. "Nicholas here was telling me about his new girlfriend."

"Yes," Chiaki said coolly. "That would be my best friend."

"Speaking of Jules, where's she at?" Nick asked. "I went by the cabin to look for her."

"She went to get us another round of drinks," Chiaki replied.

"You got her drinking?" Nick asked, laughing.

"No," Chiaki said with a laugh. "She's getting herself a soda. I'm not that bad an influence on her yet."

"Too bad," Nick grinned.

"So, Nick?" Selena asked, pushing Chiaki aside. "Want to dance?"

"I uh..." Nick didn't want to be impolite. "If it's all the same, Selena, I appreciate it but no thanks."

"Come on," Selena said, grinning at him. "Your girlfriend wouldn't mind one dance, would she?"

"She might not care," Nick said. "But no thank you."

"You know where I'll be if you change you're mind," Selena said, with a shrug. "Nice to meet you, Cha-Cha."

"It's Chiaki," Nick said.

"Whatever," Selena said, grinning at him before disappearing into the crowd.

"So," Chiaki said, beaming at him. "Jules is your girlfriend?"

Nick laughed. "I should think so."

Chiaki hugged him. "That's fantastic!"

"Ow," he said as she squeezed him tight. "Chiaki... can't breathe here..."

"What are you two doing?" Julie came up to them.

"Nick just called you his girlfriend," Chiaki explained, letting go of her brother.

Nick turned red as Julie looked at him.

"Girlfriend?" Julie asked.

"Well I should think you would be," Nick replied. "After... everything we've done."

"Well, yeah," Julie said nervously.

"I think I'm just going to go and dance," Chiaki said quickly. "You two kids have fun."

Nick watched her go. "I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Remember that girl you saw me talking to that one day by the lake?"

Julie nodded. "The fan?"

"Yeah, her name's Selena- she's here tonight. She was trying to make a move so I told her about you and me." Nick replied.

"So you called me your girlfriend to get some fan off of your back?" Julie asked confused.

"Well in a sense yes, but I think if we were to label our relationship I would call you my girlfriend," Nick smiled at her. "It's not like I tell every girl I see that I love her you know."

Julie smiled. "You don't?"

"Jules," Nick gave her a look.

"Well, you never know with you show biz types," Julie said. "My aunt Lavender tells me all the time that you never mean what you say..."

"Jules are you telling me that you think I'd lie to you about saying I love you?" Nick asked, feeling slightly hurt.

"Nick," Julie said, looping her arms around his neck. "I was only teasing you. I know you meant it."

"That's better," Nick said. "Because I do love you Potter."

"Well, that's good to know," she said, kissing him. "Because I love you too."

Nick pulled her close and kissed her again. "I missed you today," he said in her ear. "Tomorrow I'm coming to help with Ethan's lesson in the afternoon."

"That's great, but what about your Dad?" Julie asked. "What if he sees?"

Nick shrugged. "Don't care. He and my Mum are too busy ignoring one another to pay attention to me," he said.

Julie smiled, elated that they'd be able to be together with her family tomorrow. "I'm never too busy to pay attention to you, Nick."

"That's good to know," Nick said, pulling her close again, his arms curving around her waist.

"Let's dance," she whispered in his ear.

Nick allowed her to drag him onto the floor. "You're not going to slap me for kissing you this time afterwards are you?" he asked.

"No," she said laughing. "I promise."

"Okay then," Nick said, dropping his hands lower.

"My boyfriend," Julie said happily as they danced. "My boyfriend."

Nick laughed. "Something tells me you like the sound of that."

"Just a little," Julie said. "I like the sound of you coming to the lake with us tomorrow, too. I feel guilty for not spending as much time with my family. Tomorrow, I get to spend the day with the most important people in my life."

Nick dipped her back. "So... that makes me part of your important crowd?" he asked teasingly.

"Definitely," she said, laughing. "Definitely."

Nick leaned in and gave her a firm kiss.

When they pulled apart, Julie was true to her word and didn't slap him. Instead, she just rested her head on his chest and felt like all was right with the world when she was in his arms.

Chiaki watched her best friend and brother from the sidelines. She was happy that Julie had found someone to be with, especially after what that snot of a Muggle had done to her.

She thought about interrupting them to let them know she was going to head back to her cabin, but she decided to just leave them to it. As far as they were concerned, they were the only two people in the club.

It was quite chilly when she walked outside and Chiaki wished she'd brought a jumper. She quickened her steps as she set off for the path to her cabin.

Draco was out for another walk, as his temper with his wife was short these days. She ignored him, acted like he wasn't even there whenever they were in the same room together.

Chiaki's mind was on Toshio and she wasn't paying much attention to where she was walking. As she turned the corner, she collided with another person.

"I'm so sorry," Chiaki said, going over to help the man to his feet. "I wasn't looking where I was..."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Young people," he said snidely. "You all think the world should just watch out for you."

Chiaki was speechless as he dusted himself off. She'd thought about what it would be like to come face to face with her biological father and now that it had happened, she didn't know what to say or do.

Draco stared back at her. "Is there something I can help you with?" he sneered, unaware of who this girl was.

"Um, no," Chiaki said in a small voice. "I'm sorry for bumping into you."

"You should be," Draco replied coldly.

"You don't know who I am do you?" Chiaki asked.

"Why on this bloody earth would I care who you are?"

Despite herself, Chiaki was stung by his words. "I'm Chiaki Longbottom, Mr. Malfoy."

He stared at her a moment, the words registering. "You're Chang's little bastard baby, the one she thinks is mine aren't you?" a cruel smile mocked her.

Chiaki had expected him to say many things, but she certainly hadn't prepared herself for this. She wanted to run, but she stood there staring at him. They had the same eyes, she found herself thinking.

He glared at her. "What the hell do you want?"

An image of her real father came into her mind. She saw Neville as he taught her how to ride a broom. She saw him sitting up with her when she was sick. She saw him making her laugh when she was sad.

"Nothing," she said, a grin coming over her face as she thought of her father. "Nothing at all from you."

"I wasn't offering," Draco returned coldly. "What the fuck are you smiling about?"

"My father," Chiaki answered. "He's more of a man than you'd ever hope to be."

"Longbottom?" Draco laughed harshly. "That's rich."

"I don't expect you to understand," Chiaki said. "You know all of my life I wondered what meeting you would be like. And now that it's happened, I just feel completely and utterly happy. And do you want to know why? Because I wasn't raised by someone as cold and heartless as you, Mr. Malfoy. You can laugh about my family. Go ahead. Your opinion means as little to me as I meant to you the day you signed your rights to me away."

Draco was actually speechless as the girl turned and walked away. "Good!" he called out after her, but it didn't feel as triumphant as he wanted it to.

It was late when Chiaki crept inside the cabin. All the lights inside were off and she knew everyone was asleep. There was something she had to do before she went to sleep though.

She knocked gently on her parents' bedroom door. "Mum? Dad?"

"Wha..." Neville, who had finally just fallen asleep, was jerked awake.

"I'm sorry to wake you," Chiaki whispered, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Tears shone in her eyes as she looked at her father. "I just wanted to tell you how much I love you, Daddy."

"What's the matter sweetheart?" Neville sat up.

"Nothing," Chiaki said, hugging him. "Nothing at all."

Neville held his daughter close. "Why are you crying?" he asked in concern.

"I spoke with Mr. Malfoy," Chiaki managed to choke out between sobs.

"What?" Neville fully woke up at that remark. "What did he say to you? I'll kill him..."

Chiaki shook her head. "You don't have to, Daddy. He said some horrible things, but it doesn't matter. He's not my father. He wasn't there for me all the time like you were. I'm so sorry, Daddy."

Cho patted her daughter's back and she felt tears welling up in her own eyes.

Neville kissed the side of her head like he would do when she was a child. "Chiaki... you have nothing to apologise for."

"I love you," Chiaki said softly, resting her head on her father's chest. "I love you both so much."

"We love you too sweetheart," Neville said. "You're our firstborn baby girl."

Chiaki smiled. Normally, she would remind her father that she wasn't a baby anymore, but tonight it was just what she needed to hear.

Cho stroked her daughter's long hair. "Don't let anything he says make you upset love," she said gently. "He's a horrible man who hates himself and his life, so he has to make everyone else miserable too."

"I know," Chiaki said. "He was just as horrible as everyone always told me he was."

"You're a good girl Chiaki. You're nothing like he is." Neville said to his daughter.

"I have his eyes," Chiaki said quietly.

"No you don't," Cho said. "His eyes are cold, grey and dead."

"And yours are warm and inviting," Neville said, pinching her nose.

Chiaki smiled tearfully at her parents. "Thanks," she said quietly. "I'm sorry to have woken you both up but I needed you guys."

"That's what we're here for, sweetheart," Cho said. "We're so proud of you, Chiaki."

"Thank you," she buried her face in her father's shoulder.

"It's going to be okay," Neville said, patting her back and kissing the side of her head.

"I know," Chiaki replied. "I don't know what I expected from him but it wasn't that." she smiled. "I told him I was glad he signed me over to you Dad. You're the best father in the world."

"I don't know about that," Neville said modestly, thinking Allison might disagree at the moment, but nevertheless he was touched by his oldest daughter's comment.

"I do," Cho said, smiling at her husband. "You are."

Chiaki nodded. "Okay... I'll let you guys get back to sleep." she wiped her eyes. "Thanks again." she gave her mother a tight hug.

"Good night, my girl," Cho said hugging her back.

*** *** ***

Hermione and the rest of the family were at breakfast the next morning while Harry slept. He hadn't returned from headquarters last night until very late. He could vaguely remember Hermione whispering in his ear that she'd be a little late getting back because she wanted to take Ethan into town to pick up something.

He awoke a little after ten and groggily rubbed at his eyes. There was a note on the bedside table and he could see it was in Hermione's handwriting.

"Meet me at the boathouse at eleven," he read as soon as he slipped his glasses on.

Shrugging, he took a quick shower and got dressed.

In the boathouse, it wasn't Hermione that was waiting for him, but Ginny Malfoy. She was packing back and forth inside the dark room and wondering why she hadn't picked some place that was much cooler. This place was as hot as a sauna. But, she thought as she looked around, it was dark and it would suit her plan just perfectly. As long as her two special guests showed up at their assigned times, it would work like a charm.

Harry wondered what Hermione was up to with the boathouse- they'd never met in there for anything during their previous time at Hillsdale. He knocked on the door. "Hermione?" he called.

Ginny grinned and stood back so the light wouldn't hit her when he opened the door.

"In here, Harry," Ginny said, in a soft voice.

He pushed open the door. "What are we doing in here?" he asked, squinting through the darkness for a glimpse of his wife. "It's hotter than hell in here."

Ginny came up behind him and ran her hands over his back.

"Whoa..." Harry said. "Hermione..."

Ginny smiled as she ran a hand through his hair, which was still wet from his shower. He still smelled as good as she remembered. Although she was only doing this to make Draco jealous, she was enjoying being able to touch Harry.

Harry couldn't put his finger on it, but something was very off about this. And besides that, it smelled of stale, old liquor and it was making his stomach turn.

Slipping her hands underneath his shirt, Ginny felt a prickle of excitement. This was working better than she'd planned.

"Hermione," Harry said. "Come on... let's find somewhere nicer for this. And where are Ethan and Julie?"

"Who cares?" Ginny purred, turning him around so she could kiss him.

"What?" Harry asked, pushing her away as their lips were about to touch. He whipped his wand out and held it in front of him. "Lumos!"

Ginny's face was illuminated by the light and she grinned seductively up at Harry.

Harry stared at her a moment before his lip curled in disgust. "I should have known," he spat. "You fucking bitch."

"Come on, Harry," Ginny said softly. "Isn't it time, we kissed and made up? Let bygones be bygones?"

Harry pushed her away. "I don't know what game you're playing," he said coldly. "But I want no part in it. You were trying to get me to cheat on my wife!"

"I didn't have to try too hard, did I?" Ginny asked him. "Come on, Harry. You know you want to. You've always wanted to."

"I NEVER WANTED TO!" Harry roared. "I was NEVER attracted to you, not EVER."

Ginny looked surreptitiously at her watch. Where in the world was Draco?

"If you come near me or any of my family again while we're here, I'm not going to be responsible for what I do," Harry said icily.

Ginny knew he was about to leave, but she had to keep him here a little longer. She covered her eyes and began to sob.

"You just don't understand," she wailed.

"Understand what?" Harry spat. "That you're miserable? I'd feel sorry for you if you hadn't done it to yourself."

"I know," Ginny said, turning away from him. "It's been my fault. But, I want to change Harry. I really do."

Harry stared at her a long moment. "I don't believe you," he said flatly. "This is all some sort of act isn't it, you want Hermione to catch me in here with you or your pathetic husband is going to walk in isn't he?"

"It's not an act," Ginny said quickly. "It's not an act, Harry. I-I've just been thinking about how different things would have been if you and I had gotten together. I'd have led a much happier life."

"Well it's too late for you to ever have found that out." Harry said, his wand still held out in front of him. "I wouldn't have married you even if Hermione hadn't come into my life."

Draco opened the door and looked at his wife and Harry. "What the fuck is going on here?" he demanded.

"Draco!" Ginny said dramatically. "We didn't want you to find out this way!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Malfoy," he said coldly. "Perhaps you should give your little wife some more attention so she stops throwing herself at other men." he pocketed his wand and gave them both dirty looks before leaving.

Draco looked at Ginny. "What were you doing in here with him?"

Ginny was so angry she couldn't see straight. "What did it look like?" she sneered.

"Like a desperate act by a desperate woman," Draco said, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "It's hot as hell in here, Ginny!"

"Want to know why?" Ginny asked. "Harry and me, that's why. We're hot together Draco, like you and I USED to be!"

Draco rolled his eyes. "You mean to tell me that you just shagged Potter in here?"

"What are you going to do about it?" she lied.

"Nothing," he answered, walking out of the boathouse. Ginny was hot on his heels though.

"So that's it then? I shag your worst enemy and you don't even care? Some husband you are!"

"I would care if it actually happened," Draco said with a shrug. "But it didn't."

"Oh you're just such an expert aren't you!" Ginny screamed at him.

"He can't stand you, Ginny," Draco said icily. "And keep your voice down. You'll cause a scene."

"I don't care!" she started to cry in frustration.

"And I don't need this!" Draco said, taking her by the arm. "Potter doesn't want you, Ginny. He never has, never will."

"Ouch!" Ginny tried to pull away from her husband. "Well you don't want me either so why should you care!"

"That's not true, Ginevra," Draco said, holding on to her tightly. "I do want you, but look at what you've turned into. You're a joke. Drinking and throwing yourself at Potter of all people!"

"You want me?" she asked in a small voice.

"Not when you're like this," he replied. "Red, what's going on with you? Are you going soft on me?"

Ginny didn't answer.

"Do you really want to go back to your little drab life as another of the Weasley clan? Do you want to be a pathetic nobody? Because if you keep acting like this, that's exactly what's going to happen," Draco said coolly. "Is that what you want?"

"So you're saying you're going to leave me and go with your blonde bimbo," Ginny returned coldly.

"For the umpteenth time, I don't have anyone else!" Draco said angrily. "I have never cheated on you, Ginny!"

"Well then why are you gone all the time?" she shrieked. "Every time I want you to go somewhere you can't. You can't take a holiday, you can't ever just stay with me. I miss you and you come home and it's like you don't even care anymore!" Ginny huffed.

"I do care, Red," Draco said. "But its a little hard to love you when you keep throwing Potter in my face every five minutes!"

"I wouldn't have to if you would just pay attention to me," Ginny sobbed. "You've stopped loving me!"

"How on earth can you say that?" he asked her incredulously. "If I didn't love you would I have come to this horrid place again? I came here because I missed you, Red."

Ginny looked up at him again through her tears. "I wish I could believe that. You started treating me different after I got pregnant. I know you hate Nicholas but I wish you didn't hate me because I had him!"

"I don't hate Nicholas anymore than I hate you," Draco said in a tone that implied that this should have been obvious to her. "I thought you were trying to trap me, Gin. Just like Cho Chang did. But, I went along with it because unlike with her, I actually loved you."

"Loved, as in past tense?" Ginny asked.

"No, you daft girl," Draco said, his tone much softer than before. "I do love you even though you drive me insane most of the time."

Ginny stared up at him sniffling. "Will you take me back to our cabin?" she asked in a small voice.

"Yes," he said, taking her hand. "But I don't want to hear anymore about Harry Potter, you got that?"

Ginny shook her head. "Not if I've still got you."

"You do," he said, kissing her soundly.

*** *** ***

When Nick had left Julie the previous evening they had agreed to meet at the lake for Ethan’s swim lesson. According to her, he’d gotten pretty good and was more brave about going underwater and such. Nick looked forward to helping him out and spending some time with the young boy again.

He dropped his towel on a lounge and pulled his shirt off. He’d gotten a bit brown in the sunlight and his hair had gotten lighter as well. He smiled at a few other guests who obviously knew who he was.

“Hey,” a voice came from behind him. Nick grinned when he saw Julie approaching, Ethan eagerly in tow behind her.

“Hey yourself,” Nick greeted her. “Hey little man!”

“Hi Nick!” Ethan said excitedly. “Guess what, Julie says I can practise diving if I want to.”

“All right!” Nick grinned at him. “I'm a champion at diving so you’re in luck.”

“Thank you so much for doing this,” Julie said in a low voice as she pulled off her shorts. “Ethan’s been so excited all morning.”

“I'm glad to do it,” Nick stretched. “Gives me time to spend with him, and especially with you.”

Julie blushed a little at that remark. “Okay then,” she leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. “My parents are coming by a bit later, so maybe the two of us can sneak off to our cove.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Nick replied. They went down to the water’s edge where Ethan was waiting for them. “Come on little man, let’s get you in the water.” Nick scooped him up and walked in a few feet before dropping him in where it started to get deeper.

“Nick!” Ethan sputtered, but he was laughing.

“Good one,” Julie slid into the water, going under for a moment and surfacing. “I bet Ethan and I can take you down Malfoy.”

“Try it,” Nick crossed his arms. “Come on!”

Julie shared a glance with her brother before they jumped up and tackled him. Ethan jumped onto Nick’s back while Julie pulled him forward.

“Hey!” Nick clearly had not expected this and he tumbled into the water with Ethan still on his back. “Okay I give! Two Potters against one Malfoy is too much.”

“We win!” Ethan yelled triumphantly.

“Yes you do,” Nick pushed his wet hair out of his eyes. “Good job little man. That’s the way to tackle someone.” He high fived the younger boy.

As the next hour rolled by, Ethan couldn’t remember the last time he’d had so much fun. Julie and Nick gave him all of their attention and during the several water fights they had, he practised diving into the lake.

“He’s come so far,” Julie said as she watched her brother climb onto the dock. “Just a month ago he was scared to death of being in here.”

“He’s got a good teacher,” Nick gave her a little nudge.

Julie smiled. “It’s a shame I can’t put this on a resume,” she joked. “Teaching brother how to swim doesn’t exactly impress employers.”

“I know what impresses me,” Nick leaned in and nibbled at her ear.

“Nicholas!” she exclaimed, laughing. “Not here!”

“What’s wrong with here?” he flirted. “We’re underwater… mostly.”

“Exactly,” she stopped his wandering hands. “Once we get a chance to sneak off then you can put your hands wherever you want.”

“Is that a promise?” Nick grinned.

“Of course it is,” Julie replied.

“Hey Jules!” Ethan shouted for his sister. “Watch me!”

Julie and Nick watched Ethan put his hands over his head and go headfirst into the water. “Fantastic!” she called as her brother surfaced.

“That was great little man!” Nick said. “I’m really proud of you! Look at you, diving and treading water!”

“Thanks Nick,” Ethan said happily. “Hey Mum and Dad! Did you see me dive just now?”

“We certainly did,” Hermione beamed.

“Way to go son,” Harry grinned.

Julie reached out and pinched Ethan’s cheeks. “I’m proud of you,”

“Jules!” Ethan pulled out of her reach.

“He hates it when I do that,” Julie said mischievously to Nick as her parents got into the water.

“Hello Nick,” Harry greeted him.

“Hello sir,” Nick replied.

“Why are you calling him sir?” Julie teased.

"Well, he's your father," Nick answered quickly, not realising that she was joking. "And I want to make a good impression."

"You're being so formal," she continued to tease. "You haven't been so formal with me..."

"This from the girl who slapped me the first time I kissed her," Nick said, playfully swatting at her.

"She did, did she?" Harry asked, beaming at his daughter. "That's my girl!"

"Dad!" Julie exclaimed. "You aren't supposed to be listening in!"

"I couldn't help but overhear," Harry said, winking at her.

"Right," Julie pulled Nick's hand. "Come on..."

As they swam away, Lavender was approaching the beach. She hadn't heard from Seamus in a day or so and wondered if everything was okay with him.

"Lavender?" Hermione asked as her cousin walked past them without a word. She exchanged a puzzled look with Harry. "Earth to Lavender?"

"What?" Lavender turned around. "Oh it's just you."

"Gee, thanks," Hermione said sarcastically. "It's always great to see you, too."

"Sorry," she said contritely. "Have you seen Seamus at all?"

"No," Hermione answered.

"Are you going to marry him, too?" Ethan asked innocently.

Harry grabbed a towel and covered his mouth to muffle his laughter.

"Ethan," Lavender frowned at the young boy. "That wasn't very nice."

"Lavender's right," Hermione said, trying to stifle a giggle. "It wasn't very nice, Ethan."

"What?" Ethan asked. "What did I say?"

Hermione put an arm around her son. "Lavender doesn't like to talk about her 'marriages', Ethan."

"They didn't count for the last time!" Lavender retorted.

"Right," Harry chortled unable to keep his laughter down.

"Morning everyone," Seamus had seen them from the path.

"Hey Seamus, Aunt Lavender says she's going to marry you!" Ethan exclaimed mischievously. This was too much for Harry, who dove in the water to drown out his laughter.

"I DID NOT!" Lavender exclaimed, her cheeks red. "Seamus, I said no such thing!"

Seamus gave her a rather wan smile. "I'm sure he's just joking, aren't you sport?"

Ethan shook his head. "She gets married quite a bit, but we're not supposed to talk about it."

Hermione laughed. "Ethan, why don't you and I go and find your dad?"

Seamus watched as Hermione led her son off into the water before turning back to Lavender. "Don't worry about it," he said. "I know he was only kidding."

"I really didn't say that," Lavender said, still blushing furiously. "And I don't get married all the time, for Merlin's sake! It was twice and like I've told everyone, they didn't count!"

"I believe you," Seamus smiled at her. "Would you happen to want to take a walk with me?"

"I'd like that," she said, relaxing. As they set off down the shady path, Lavender looked at him. "So, I haven't seen you around the past couple of days. Is everything okay?"

He shrugged. "I'm okay."

"And what about Summer, Fall, Spring?" Lavender asked. When he frowned at her, she looked away. "I'm sorry. Old habits die hard."

"Well..." he paused a moment. "Things are over between me and Summer, actually."

"Really?" Lavender asked, brightly. "I mean, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it."

"You are not," Seamus looked directly at her.

"Okay, maybe I was just saying that to be polite," Lavender said grinning at him. "Who ended it, if you don't mind me asking? You or her?"

"She did," Seamus replied. "I saw it coming, even if I wouldn't admit it to myself. I just wonder what it is about me that makes it so easy for people to leave me behind is all."

"Seamus," Lavender said softly. "It's not you. You're wonderful, handsome and charming. She's just too young to appreciate it is all."

"Well what about you?" he asked. "Why was it so easy for you to leave me?"

"Well, I thought you'd cheated on me," Lavender answered sheepishly. "It wasn't you, Seamus. It was me."

"You say that now," Seamus replied. "But 15 years ago when it happened things were a different story."

Lavender sighed. "If only I'd have listened to you..."

Seamus scuffed his shoe along the dirt. "We'd both be a lot happier," he muttered.

Lavender nodded. "I still had some trust issues with the whole Malfoy thing, Seamus. It wasn't anything you did. It was me. Our break up was my fault. I was so willing to believe the worst."

"You still had trust issues, five years after you were with Malfoy?" Seamus didn't feel like letting her off the hook.

"Yes," Lavender said weakly. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"That's a bullshit excuse and you know it," Seamus replied shortly.

Lavender glared at him. "Well, why don't you tell me why I did it then?"

"I don't know why you did!" Seamus exclaimed. "But you used Malfoy as an excuse when we first got together and at that point sure, I bought it. But five years later? Come on Lav," he shook his head. "I don't want to fight with you over it."

"You're unbelievable!" Lavender said, rounding on him. "So, I guess since your young starlet dumped you for greener pastures, you thought you'd give me another go, is that it? Planning on getting me back for what I did?"

"That's not true," Seamus snapped.

"It is so!" Lavender retorted.

"No it's not!" Seamus was growing flustered, and it was pissing him off. He'd come out here to tell Lavender that he wanted to give their relationship another chance but with the way she was acting, he wasn't so sure anymore.

"You know what, Seamus?" Lavender asked him thoughtfully. "What happened, happened. We can't change it. For whatever reason, I didn't listen to you back then. Okay? I'm sorry for that. I'm more sorry than you could imagine. But, are you going to make me pay for that mistake for the rest of my life?"

Seamus looked at her for a few moments. "Do you know what I was planning with Lola when you broke up with me?" he asked coolly.

"No," she answered, folding her arms. "What?"

"I was planning on asking you to marry me," he said bluntly. "She was helping me work out a proposal to knock your socks off." he turned away on the path. "Now you tell me who's been paying for what."

Lavender stared at him, her mouth agape. "You...you were...marry you?"

Seamus didn't answer as he began to walk away.

Lavender quickly followed him. "Wait a minute! You can't just say something like that and walk away! You were going to ask me to marry you?"

"I was," he said in the same cool, detached tone. "Look where that got me."

"Seamus," Lavender said quietly. "I didn't know..."

Seamus stopped in his tracks, knowing what she said was right. She hadn't known. "Where do we go from here?" he asked.

She shrugged, still somewhat in shock from what he'd told her. They could have been married, Lavender thought. They might have even had their own children by now.

"I don't know, Seamus. But, I...I don't want to lose you again."

"You don't?" he asked, a hopeful tone creeping into his voice.

Lavender shook her head.

He reached for her and hugged her tightly. "I don't want to lose you either." he said thickly.

Hugging him back, Lavender rested her head on his shoulder. "So we could start over?"

"Does this mean you'll draw my storyboards for me again?" he asked, trying to make a joke.

She pulled away and laughed. "You still can't do that? You're a big-shot director, Seamus! Don't you have 'people' for that?"

"I was just teasing you," he smiled down at her. "I still love you Lav. You know that right?"

"You do?" she asked hopefully. "I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. I certainly haven't made things easy on you."

"Guess you can't help who you fall for," he replied.

"No," she said, grinning back at him. "I guess you can't."

"What about you?" he asked, moving his arms down to her waist.

"I never got over you," she said softly. "I told myself I did, but I didn't. Hence the two non-marriages."

"The ones that never existed right?" Seamus teased gently.

"Exactly," Lavender said with a giggle. "You're catching on, Seamus."

He hugged her again, kissing the side of her head. "So... how about you let me take you out before we leave?"

"Like on a proper date?" she asked shyly.

"Yeah," he said. "Or we could just skip straight to the shagging."

"Don't press your luck, Finnigan," she teased.

17. Pretty Baby

Author's note: Our sincerest apologies for not responding to review replies this time around. The weekdays are kind of hectic for both of us and work took precedence, but we did read them! We're really glad that you all seem to be taking to our original characters---Nick & Julie, Jon/Allie/Josh and the other kidlets. I know some of you might be upset with the decreased "air time" for Harry/Hermione, but they are happy---especially after what happened in Time of their Lives. Please read and review!

2nd A/N from Heaven: My apologies to all of you who expected this up last night- I’m working the overnight shift at my job this week and it’s screwed up my sleep schedule as well as my trains of thought- Amy and I had this all ready to go up and then she signed off for the night and so did I, only to realise at 3 this morning that I had not posted. So I’m very VERY sorry to make you guys wait and I hope you’ll all forgive me!!

Pretty Baby – Vanessa Carlton

Pretty baby don't you leave me
I have been saving smiles for you
Pretty baby why can't you see
You're the one that I belong to
I'll be the embrace that keeps you warm
For you're the sun that breaks the storm
I'll be alright and I'll sleep sound
As long as you keep comin' around, oh pretty baby

"Come on, Allie!" Frankie asked, scooting closer to her sister on the porch swing. "What was it like? Did he try and stick his tongue down your throat? Isn't that kind of gross?"

"Frankie!" Allison said. "I'm not giving you details I told you that already!"

"You told Chiaki about it!" Frankie retorted.

"Yes but she's actually snogged with someone," Allison replied. "You haven't!"

Frankie groaned and stalked back into the cabin, slamming the front door behind her.

"Frankie!" Allison called out in vain. Her sister didn't reappear and she didn't feel like going in to argue over it, so she stayed on the swing, pushing herself with her foot.

Jon smiled as he saw Allie sitting on the porch swing outside her cabin. She was reading a magazine and absently curling a strand of hair around her finger. He crept closer to her cabin and ducked behind some bushes.

"Pssst!" he called out.

Allison looked up. "Who's there?" she called.

"It's me, Allie," he whispered, raising his head above the bushes. "Right behind you!"

"Jon?" Allison got up from the swing. "What in Merlin's name are you hiding in there for?"

"Because of your dad," Jon said, looking around for any sight of Neville Longbottom. "He's not here, is he?"

Allison laughed. "He's inside."

"I should probably go," Jon said reluctantly. He'd really wanted to see Allison, but he certainly didn't want to get either of them into further trouble.

"No," Allison said. "Jon it's okay."

"Really?" he asked, standing up.

"Yeah," She grinned at him. "I talked to him this morning after breakfast. I think my Mum must have said something to him, because he seemed okay with us now... well... as okay as a dad can be with his daughter dating."

Jon let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. I didn't make you feel uncomfortable that day at the movies, did I? That's the last thing I wanted to do, Al."

"No you didn't," Allison said as he climbed up onto the porch. "I liked it actually."

"You did?" he asked, smiling at her. "I liked it, too."

She slid next to him as he sat down. "Frankie's been asking me about it all morning."

He put an arm around her and squeezed her shoulder. "And what did you tell, Miss Frankie?"

"Nothing detailed," Allison giggled.

"Well, at least you didn't have Drew and Darla following you around singing the K-I-S-S-I-N-G song," he said, rolling his eyes. "And horribly off-key, too."

Allison laughed. "That's adorable," she snuggled in closer next to him.

"Al?" Jon teased. "You keep doing that and I might have to kiss you again."

"You won't see me complaining," Allison said a bit boldly.

Jon grinned before leaning in and kissing her softly.

She responded instantly, turning her body so he could slip his arms around her,.

"Mmmmm," Jon said, huskily pulling away from her for only a moment before kissing her again. He knew this was dangerous and that Mr. Longbottom could come out at any moment, but he didn't care at the moment.

"Oooh!" Frankie crowed from the door. "Allison's snogging with her BOY FRIEND!"

Jon froze and he and Allison pulled apart.

"Frankie GO AWAY!" Allison said through clenched teeth. "Or I'll tell all the boys at Hogwarts that you like to spy on them in the loo."

"I DO NOT!" Frankie yelled at her.

Jon laughed. "Does she really?"

"Yes," Allison glared at her younger sister.

"Allie!" Frankie scowled at her sister. "You wouldn't dare!"

"Then leave us alone!" Allison said. "And don't you dare go running to Dad either."

"Fine!" Frankie said, sticking out her tongue at her sister before going back inside.

"Little sisters, gotta love 'em," Jon teased.

"Glad I only have one," Allison replied, her face red at what her sister had been saying.

"There's something I wanted to ask you,'" Jon said, hoping to take her mind off of what Frankie had said.

"What's that?" she asked.

Jon wrung his hands nervously. "Well, you know the Yule Ball, right? I know its a few months away, but I was hoping you'd...well, that'd you'd go with me."

A grin spread across her face. "I'd love to go," she agreed instantly.

"If you didn't want to, that'd be okay," Jon said, not hearing her response. "Wait, did you just say yes?"

Allison laughed at him. "Yes," she said. "I said yes."

Jon beamed at her and kissed her chastely on the lips. "I think we'll have a great time, Al."

"I think so too," Allison kissed him back.

"So," he said, taking her hand. "So, you know people will probably think we're boyfriend and girlfriend now."

Allison gulped. "Is... that what we are?" she asked softly.

Jon rubbed his thumb along her hand. "Well, I know we haven't been together very long, but I...would you be okay with that?"

Allison bit her lower lip. "I think I'd like that a lot," she said shyly.

He kissed her again. "I should probably get going. Did you want to go for a walk or something later?"

"Sure," Allison smiled at him- her boyfriend. "That sounds great."

Jon kissed her once more and slowly backed off the porch, stumbling on the last step. He blushed. "You see what you do to me?" he called back to her, laughing.

"What, make you a clumsy oaf?" she teased back. "You do a fine job of that on your own Jonathan Weasley!"

"All because of you Allison Longbottom," he said, winking at her.

"I'll see you later Jon," she called.

"You can count on it," Jon called back to her, disappearing down the path.

*** *** ***

Harry was leaning back while Hermione rubbed her hands over his shoulders. Ethan's swimming lesson had tired him out and Lavender was nowhere to be found, so he and his wife had brought him back and were relaxing in the cabin while he slept. "That feels so good," he said, his eyes closed.

"You're really tense," Hermione commented. "Lots of knots."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I'll tell you why when we're finished."

Hermione nodded and continued the massage. "This brings back old times, doesn't it? I used to do this for you all the time when you were still in training."

"I know," Harry smiled up at her. "And I love you for it."

"I still think its the major reason why you married me," she teased, kissing the top of his head.

"Of course," Harry grinned. "Unlimited massages the rest of my life."

She laughed and squeezed his shoulder. "Okay, Harry. What happened?"

Harry groaned as she moved around his side. "This morning when I woke up there was a note on my bedside, signed by you, saying to meet you in the boathouse."

Hermione pulled a confused face. "I didn't leave you a note, Harry."

"I'll give you one guess as to who did," Harry said sarcastically.

Narrowing her eyes, Hermione shook her head. "No, please tell me it wasn't..."

"Our favourite Malfoy," Harry put his hand on his forehead.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Hermione exclaimed, trying to keep her voice down so they wouldn't wake up Ethan. "Did she really think that would work?"

Harry snorted. "She had it all planned out. Draco shows up and she tried to pretend that she and I were up to something."

"Even he isn't that thick," Hermione said angrily. "Why can't she just leave us alone?"

"I don't know," Harry was disgusted. "She was half in the bag too."

"Doesn't that just complete the pathetic picture?" Hermione said dryly. "You didn't...I mean, I know you wouldn't have, but you didn't kiss her or anything, did you Harry?"

"No," Harry shuddered at the thought. "She almost had me. It was dark in there and I couldn't see anything."

"Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn," Hermione said quietly.

Harry reached for his wife. "I'd have never let her do anything," he said. "I love you too much. I knew something was off when I stepped in there and then when she said she didn't even care about where Jules and Ethan were..."

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I trust you, Harry. But, her...I never have trusted and I never will."

"I don't trust her either," Harry replied.

"She's up to something," Hermione said thoughtfully. "First she pours wine all over my dress. Next, she and that sick husband of hers sic reporters on us and now, she's throwing herself at you. What I don't get is why? If she has this perfect life, why is she doing all of these things?"

"Because she doesn't have a perfect life," Harry stroked his wife's hair. "I'd feel sorry for her if she hadn't made her own bed with Malfoy. It's a wonder that Nick turned out so normal, living with two people like them."

"You know if they knew about Julie and Nick," Hermione began, but her voice trailed off. "If they even think of hurting..."

"I'll hurt them so bad they won't be able to walk for a week," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "There's something else I think you should know. I spoke with Cho at breakfast this morning. Chiaki had a run-in with Malfoy."

Harry tensed. "What did that asshole say to her?"

Hermione explained how Chiaki had run into Malfoy outside the disco and how he'd said some hurtful things to her about her family and he'd still refused to acknowledge her as his daughter.

"But Chiaki stood up to him," Hermione said proudly. "She said that she didn't need him and that Neville was more of a man and father than Malfoy could ever hope to be."

Harry grinned as he thought of his goddaughter. "She's a tough one, like her mum." he said fondly. "Good for her. I bet Malfoy was too stunned to talk."

"Probably," Hermione said, touching his cheek.

Harry leaned in and gave her a thorough kiss. "I'd never betray you," he said softly.

"I know," Hermione whispered. "I trust you completely, Harry."

Harry felt his body relax as she moved her hands over his shoulders. "I love you," he said.

Hermione kissed along his neck. "Harry? It would be a shame to waste this time we have, don't you think? We're all alone. Our son is asleep..."

"Exactly," Harry stood up then scooped her into his arms.

"Somehow we always end up here, don't we?" she said, smiling at him.

"I blame you," Harry replied. "If you weren't so damn tempting all the time..."

"Even after twenty years?" she asked him.

"Even after twenty years," Harry kissed her as he carried her into the bedroom and shut the door behind them.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, everyone gathered in the ballroom after dinner. At the moment, everyone was watching Cho and Harry dance in the middle of the floor. As the music came to a close, Harry dipped Cho to the applause of the entire ballroom.

Another song began and other couples joined them on the dance floor. Frankie squeezed her father's hand as they watched Cho dance with Harry.

"I wish I could dance as well as Mum and Chiaki," Frankie said, frowning.

"You're a great dancer," Neville reassured her. "How about you go out with me on the floor and show me what you can do?"

"Okay," Frankie agreed.

Neville led his daughter onto the floor and they slowly began to do a waltz. Frankie laughed as she stepped on her father's toes.

"I'm so sorry, Daddy!"

"That's all right sweetheart," Neville grinned at his daughter. "You should have seen your Mum's feet before she showed me a move or two."

Frankie laughed and she tried not to concentrate so much on her feet. Her mother always said you should never look down at your feet while you dance.

Draco Malfoy watched with a sneer as Longbottom took his young daughter around the floor. "How pathetic," he murmured to his wife.

"What?" Ginny asked.

"Longbottom," he said.

"He's such a nonentity," Ginny snorted.

"You went to the fucking Yule Ball with him," Draco laughed at her.

"It was a pity thing," Ginny said defensively. "Give me a break. It was a big deal and I wanted to go. At least I didn't slum around with that troll Pansy Parkinson."

"Pansy wasn't a troll," Draco sounded amused.

"Oh, please," Ginny huffed. "She was a complete troll."

"You sound jealous," Draco eyed her.

"I am not jealous of Pansy Parkinson of all people," Ginny said, putting her glass down on an empty table. "Come on. Let's dance."

Nick watched his parents go onto the dance floor with a sigh of relief. He'd been trading looks with Julie all evening whenever his parents weren't watching.

"Nick!" Maddie said, running at her cousin. Ron and Luna were in tow. "Do you like my new dress?"

"Hey," Nick grinned and picked her up. "You look gorgeous Maddie!" he kissed her cheek.

Maddie grinned and hugged him. "Mummy and I caught a Cornish pixie. I named her Dolly."

"You named your Cornish pixie Dolly?" Nick asked with a laugh.

"She names everything Dolly," Ron smiled at his daughter.

"I do not!" Maddie said, glaring at her father.

"Maddie," Luna teased. "You've had three hamsters, two cats and one dog. What did you name all of them?"

"Dolly," Maddie said. "And Wanker." she grinned proudly.

Luna rolled her eyes at Ron. "Do you see what you've done? You've turned our daughter into a potty mouth."

"Maddie?" Ron asked, taking her back from Nick. "What did we say about using that word?"

"It's okay to say it when I get big like you Daddy?" Maddie grinned innocently.

Nick ruffled Maddie's hair. "I love this kid."

"Are you going to come over and see my new Pixie soon?" Maddie asked brightly.

"I can't wait to see your pixie," Nick said grinning at her.

"Isn't this nice," Draco said, coming up behind them. "This another one of your sprongs, Weasley? How many do you have now? Ten?"

Nick exhaled sharply as Ron handed Maddie over to Luna.

"What do you want Malfoy?" Ron asked coolly.

"Hi," Maddie said, smiling at Draco from her mother's arms. "I'm Madeline Weasley, but you can call me Maddie."

Draco stared at the four year old with tremendous dislike.

"If it isn't my brother and his brood," Ginny came up aside her husband. "Hello little Martha. Hello Loony," she said coldly.

Maddie laughed. "My name's not Martha. It's Maddie. And my mummy's named Luna."

Nick watched this little scene and he swore if his father said one unkind word to that little girl, he'd regret it.

"My son has a father, Weasley," Draco said, turning his attention back to Ron. "I don't think you need to keep coming around and trying to get him into your little clan. Besides, you've got more than you can handle, right?"

"Your son deserves far better than either you or my sister has ever given him," Ron retorted. "Be a father instead of an asshole for once."

"You'd better watch your mouth, Weasley," Draco said icily. "Wouldn't want your brat to pick up on your language!"

Maddie began to cry and buried her face in Luna's shoulder.

"Look what you did," Nick said angrily. "What did she ever do to you to make you be so nasty all the time?"

"She's a Weasley," Draco said coldly. "That's enough for me."

"YOU MARRIED ONE!" Ron spat at him.

Luna held her daughter closely. "Come on sweetheart, let's go sit down okay?" she cast a dark look at the Malfoys, excluding Nick, before turning to leave.

"I'm a Malfoy now," Ginny said, linking arms with her husband.

"I don't care what you are," Ron retorted. "But you and your husband better stay away from me and my family. Or you'll regret it, Malfoy."

"I'm scared of you Weasel," Draco smirked. "I really am."

"You'd better be," Ron said angrily. His tone softened as he regarded his nephew. "Good evening, Nick."

Nick nodded, too upset to say anything. He hated his parents for continuously doing this to him.

"He's unbelievable," Draco sneered, watching Ron walk away.

"No, you two are," Nick snapped. "Can't you both leave me alone? You both ruined what could have been a good relationship between me and Julie. Now every time I talk to my uncle, you have to barge in."

"We're just saving you the time," Ginny said, trying to put a hand on her son's arm, but he angrily shoved her away. "You won't see them after this holiday, Nicholas."

"I could have if it weren't for you two," he glared at them both and stomped off.

Julie had been standing outside getting some fresh air. She was about to go back inside when she saw Nick stalk past her.

"Nick?" she called after him. "Hey! Wait up!"

He turned and relaxed when he saw who it was. "Hey Jules," he said. "Sorry... I didn't see you there."

"Is everything okay?" she asked him, concern etched on her face. "What happened?"

He sighed. "Just another run in with my parents," he shook his head. "I can't even talk to my uncle without my father barging in and ruining everything. My mum is no help either."

Julie hugged him tightly. "It's going to be okay, Nick. Really."

"I wish I could believe that," Nick replied.

"It will be," she said, pulling away a bit so she could look into his grey eyes. "Trust me."

He looked at her for a moment. "I do trust you," he said quietly. "I just don't trust THEM."

Julie nodded and hugged him again. "Just stay away from them as much as possible. We only have a few more days."

"Is that all that's left?" he asked, relaxing in her embrace. "I'm going back to Australia to get Greta and then I'm coming to London."

"See?" Julie smiled. "You've got it all figured out."

Nick smiled back at her then leaned in for a kiss. "I love you," he said quietly.

"I love you," she whispered, kissing him back.

“I wish I didn’t have to go back in there,” he said his forehead resting on hers. “Can we meet later after everyone’s asleep?”

"I'll try and get away," Julie promised. "I should get back inside, too."

"Okay," Nick gave her one more kiss.

"Don't let them get you down, Nick," Julie said squeezing his hand. "Everything will be okay."

"Yeah," he said, still a bit unconvinced. "I guess I'll see you later then."

She nodded and walked back inside, wishing that they could walk in together. But, as she told Nick, it was only a few more days.

He sat outside for a few more minutes to calm his nerves down before re-entering the ballroom. He made a beeline for his parents as soon as he saw his father face to face with Neville.

"You were in my way, Longbottom," Draco was saying angrily. "Then again you always were a clumsy oaf."

"You're lucky I don't send my fist through your face right here," Neville was trying to keep his temper down. "I don't know where you get off acting all high and mighty here Malfoy."

"You couldn't hit your way out of a paper bag, Longbottom," Draco snorted.

"What the hell is going on now?" Nick asked, rounding on his mother.

"This klutz nearly knocked me over," Ginny snapped. "I could have twisted my ankle!"

"Your ankle is fine," Cho said, glaring at the redhead. "We barely bumped into you."

"You did it on purpose!" Ginny hissed at her.

"Right because I've been just DYING to come in contact with you," Cho rolled her eyes.

"Right," Draco said, stepping in between them. "Why don't you keep that daughter of yours..."

But he couldn't finish his sentence because Neville had grabbed him by the collar.

"You say one word about my daughter and so help me God, I'll kill you with my bare hands," Neville said, his cheeks flushed from anger.

"Easy Longbottom," Draco smirked.

"Dad!" Nick said, getting behind Neville. "Please. Just let it go!"

"Nicholas mind your own fucking business," Draco pulled free of Neville and glared at his son.

Nick got in his father's face. "What are you going to do about it if I don't?"

Draco sneered at him. "You just WAIT until we get back to the cabin Nicholas. You're in for it now."

Nick just shook his head and laughed. A crowd had gathered around all of them and Harry and Hermione joined the fray.

"Oh, wonderful," Draco said, smiling at them. "The gang's all here now!"

"What are you doing Malfoy?" Harry asked. "Why do you always have to stir things up?"

"I wasn't doing anything," Draco replied coolly. "My wife and I were dancing when Longbottom here bumped into us and nearly knocked Ginny to the ground."

"Enough Malfoy," Cho said coldly. "You've made your point."

"Come on, Ginny," Draco said, grabbing his wife's hand. "I think I need a drink."

"I think I need a double. And a shower. All this filth all over me." she looked at her son. "We're leaving Nicholas."

"He doesn't have to go with you," Ron said. "He's not a child anymore, Ginny."

"He's our son," Ginny glared at her brother. "And Nicholas you'd do well to remember Greta."

Nick scowled at his mother. Julie's words kept echoing in his mind that they'd only have to wait a few more days, but he honestly didn't know how was going to make it.

"I'm going to go with them," Nick said, turning to face his uncle. "Please apologise to Maddie for me."

"Nick," Ron put a hand on his nephew's arm. "You can talk to me if you need to..." he said so his sister couldn't hear.

"I know," Nick said with a weak smile. "Thanks Uncle Ron."

Ron watched him follow his parents out. "I want to kill my sister." he said to Luna.

"Stand in line," Luna said, holding Maddie who thankfully had fallen asleep.

Ron brushed a tearstain from his daughter's cheek. "Let's go sit down," he muttered.

Luna nodded and patted her daughter's back soothingly as they walked to the corner of the ballroom.

"You okay Jules?" Hermione asked her daughter, who was still staring after where Nick had disappeared.

Julie shook her head and hugged her mother. "I just don't understand why they're like that, Mum."

"None of us do sweetheart," Hermione replied. "I imagine you're going to be a bit of a strong shoulder for Nick until we leave here."

"How did you do it?" Julie asked Hermione. "When you and dad were sneaking around? Did you ever worry that it wouldn't work out and that Grandpa would never accept you and Dad?"

Hermione looked pensive. "I guess I always figured in the back of my mind, once we left here, I would make my father see what Harry was truly like. I knew he wasn't the horrible person Vernon made him out to be and I was determined to make your grandfather see this as well."

"Something tells me it won't be that way with Nick's parents," Julie said sadly.

"Probably not," Hermione kissed the side of her daughter's head. "But at least you don't have to prove to your father and me that Nick's a good guy."

Julie smiled. "At least we have you on our side."

"If it isn't the two most beautiful women in the room," Harry said, putting his arm around both of them.

"Dad you're biased," Julie smiled at him.

"Even if I didn't know you, I'd think that," Harry said, winking at her.

"Thanks," Julie pecked him on the cheek.

"Mum?" Ethan said, yawning as he came back up to join them. "Can we go now? I'm bored."

"Sweetheart I was hoping you'd dance with your Mum," Hermione teased her son.

"You're kidding, right?" Ethan asked her.

"You look just like Dad when you say that," Julie laughed.

"Duh," Ethan said, rolling his eyes. "I'm a chip off the old block."

"Old being the operative word," Julie teased, elbowing her father.

"Hey!" Harry pretended to be offended. "I am not old!"

"Sensitive about our age, aren't we?" Julie asked.

Hermione laughed at her husband. "Forty is still young with our kind," she replied.

"She's only saying that because she's the same age as Dad," Julie said to Ethan.

It was Hermione's turn to huff.

"Come on," Ethan said, tugging at the hem of his mother's dress. "I'm ready to go back to the cabin."

"Are you sure you won't dance with me sweetheart?" Hermione smiled at her son.

Ethan looked up at her. "If you really want me to...."

"Of course she does," Harry answered. "Jules you can dance with your old man."

"Let's see if you can keep up then," Julie laughed following her family back onto the dance floor.

*** *** ***

When they'd gotten back to the cabin, Draco and Ginny were far too involved with digging their tongues into each other's mouths to pay attention to their son, so Nick had taken the opportunity to sneak onto the phone to ring Greta back in Australia. He listened to it ring and hoped she wasn't out and about.

"Hello?" Greta's familiar voice came across the line.

"Greta," Nick smiled. "It's me."

"Nick!" Greta exclaimed with a laugh. "I'd thought you'd forgotten about me. You haven't rung since you've been gone."

"I've been busy," he sat back on the sofa. "I got to meet my family- I have loads of cousins."

"You mean to tell me your mum allowed that?" Greta asked in surprise.

"No," Nick sighed. "She's been a right pain in the arse about it. My dad's been even more awful."

"He was pretty horrible after you and your mum left," Greta related to him. "He'd come home from work and hole up in his study, drinking."

"Yeah well my mum's been drinking, and then they were fighting once he got here, and now they can barely stay apart from each other." Nick said.

"They've always been that way," Greta said with a sigh. "One minute they can't stand the sight of each other and the next minute they're inseparable. You doing okay, Nick? You sound a little sad."

"I'm okay," he twisted the phone cord in his fingers. "It just hasn't been easy having my parents here. You know they normally don't even acknowledge me but here it's like they won't let me out of their sight."

"Your dad is still trying to get you to be a healer, isn't he?" Greta asked. "He brought home some pamphlets from some universities for you. Told me that when you got back I was to give them to you and steer you in the right direction, of course."

"And I'm sure you burned them," Nick smiled.

"I might have deliberately misplaced them," Greta admitted with a laugh. "But you didn't hear that from me, okay?"

"Of course not," Nick laughed. "So um... there's something else I wanted to tell you about."

"Okay," Greta said. "What's on your mind, Nick?"

"Well..." Nick twisted the phone cord some more. "I met somebody..."

"Did you now?" Greta asked.

"Yeah," he grinned. "You won't believe who her parents are."

"Nothing with you is ever easy, my boy," Greta teased. "Who are her parents?"

"Harry and Hermione Potter," Nick said.

"You're kidding!" Greta exclaimed.

"Yeah, her name is Julie." Nick replied. "We had a bit of a rocky start... but now it feels like we've been together for a long time."

"Your parents don't know, do they?" Greta asked. "I imagine your mother would be ballistic if she knew."

"She knew when it happened at first," Nick replied. "But we're having to keep it a secret right now. Her parents like me though. They're really nice. Not at all how my parents described them."

"Well, I for one, am very happy for you," Greta said sincerely. "And I can't wait to meet this girl."

"I think you'll really like her," Nick smiled as he thought about his girlfriend. "It's a good feeling, to be in love."

"If she can make you sound this happy, I'm sure we'll get along just fine," Greta said. "What about everything else? You met your family? What are they like?"

"They're really fantastic." Nick said. "My cousin Maddie is adorable- and my uncle Ron- he has two sets of twins! And I have a sister too."

"Two sets of twins?" Greta asked. "I had my hands full with just one of you. I can't imagine two sets of twins."

"That's what I said," Nick laughed. "They're all really good kids though."

"I'm really happy for you, Nick," Greta said. She'd always wished that Mrs. Malfoy at least would let her son meet his family, but she'd never once relented.

"Thanks Greta." Nick decided to wait on telling her about his impending move to London until he got back. "I can't wait for them to meet you. I've been giving them all quite an earful about my nanny."

"Nothing too bad, I hope," Greta teased.

"Of course not," Nick said. He heard a thump in his parents' room and sat up. "I have to let you go Greta, but I'll see you in a few days."

"I promise I'll have your favourite chocolate biscuits when you get back," Greta said. "Take care, Nick. Okay?"

"I will," Nick said. "Bye Greta."

As Nick hang up the phone, his mother came out of her bedroom wearing her dressing gown. She stumbled into the sitting room. "Nicholas, what on earth are you doing sitting out here in the dark?"

"What do you care?" he snapped irritably.

"You could have stood up for your father tonight," Ginny lectured. "He needed your support. Those people were really awful and nasty to us."

"You two don't need any support from me," Nick replied coolly. "The family I've met while here care more about me than either one of you."

"Blah, blah, blah," Ginny said rolling her eyes. She poured some wine into two glasses. "I'm so tired of hearing this poor me act of yours, Nicholas. You are a member of one of the most prestigious families. You went to the best school. We bought you everything you could ever need. You could show a little gratitude."

"For what?" Nick stared at her. "For leaving me with Greta all my life? That's the best thing you ever did for me."

"She's not your mother, Nicholas," Ginny reminded him. "I am."

"By birthright only," Nick said.

Ginny frowned. "Whatever. I should get back to your father anyway."

"Right," Nick glared at her. "Because he's the only one that matters to you. I hate you both."

"You don't mean that," Ginny said, trying not to let on how his words hurt her. Nick couldn't hate them, she told herself. They were his parents.

"I do too," Nick crossed his arms. "When I was younger all I wanted was your approval. I wanted you and Dad to look at me and smile, and be proud. As I got older those things didn't matter so much anymore. And now you're trying to keep me away from people that actually give a damn about me."

Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but Draco's muffled voice filled the room.

"Red?" he called out to her. "Get your sweet little arse back in here!"

Ginny smiled. "Be right there!"

"Look, Nicholas," Ginny said. "We'll talk about this more in the morning, okay?"

"Whatever," Nick muttered. "If I'm even here."

Ginny opened the bedroom door and squealed with delight forgetting all about Nick's hurtful words as she allowed Draco to lead her back to bed.

18. In The Air Tonight

A/N: Thank you all soooo much for your continued support- all your feedback has been great to read and respond to!

You J/A fans will not like this chapter so much, and D/G also find out what was thought to be a well kept secret. And remember- they might be leaving Hillsdale soon but there’s still more story to come :)

In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am

Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies

The Weasleys, Longbottoms and Potters were among the last guests to leave the ballroom that night. Allison had tagged along with Jon and they'd been inseparable most of the evening. Maddie, who had spent the last few minutes asleep in Luna's arms had now discovered one of her trademark second winds and was making faces at her brothers over her mother's shoulder.

"Jon," Maddie whispered. "You're going to read to me tonight, okay?"

"Mad Dog," Jon said, using his nickname for her. "I thought you were going to bed as soon as we got back to the cabin?"

"But not until you read me a story!" Maddie grinned at her brother. "And you have to play with Dolly and me too."

"Maddie," Jon said, wanting to turn her down, but once Maddie smiled at you like that it was hard to turn her down. "I was going to walk Al back to her cabin."

"Its okay, Jon," Allison said, winking at Maddie. "I understand."

"Are you sure?" Jon asked.

"Yes," Allison said, squeezing his hand. "I'll be fine. Besides, Maddie's counting on you."

"Okay," Jon pulled her back for a moment to give her a quick kiss. "You're the best you know."

"You're not so bad yourself," she whispered, smiling at him. "I guess I'll see you all later. Good night, Maddie!"

"Bye Allie," Maddie waved to her. "Don't let the bedbugs bite!"

"Hey Allie," Josh said. "How about I walk you back to your cabin?"

Allison smiled at him. "Oh, that's okay, Josh. It's late. I wouldn't want you to go out of your way."

"It's not a problem," Josh tried not to be too eager.

"That'd be really sweet of you," Allison said. "If you're sure you don't mind..."

"No it's fine," Josh replied. "Is that okay with you Jon?"

"Sure," Jon said, turning around. "Thanks, Josh. You make sure my girl gets home okay."

"I will," he promised as Allison blushed deeply at Jon's words.

Allison and Josh set off for the Longbottom cabin. Josh kept stealing sideways glances at her as they walked, but Allison didn't seem to notice.

"So are you looking forward to going back to school?" Allison asked conversationally.

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "I think this will be a good year."

"I do too," Allison said, smiling at him. "I'm even thinking of trying out for the house team this year. Jon thinks I might have a chance."

"You like Quidditch?" Josh hadn't known that.

Allison nodded. "I do. I was going to try out last year, but you remember how I twisted my ankle, right?"

"I forgot about that," Josh said.

"I wish I could," Allison joked. "But I think I might have a shot this year. Keep your fingers crossed for me."

"Okay," Josh said. "Hey um... I'm glad I got a chance to walk you back. I haven't seen so much of you lately..."

"I'm sorry about that," Allison said sincerely.

"Yeah, it's my own fault though," Josh pushed his hand through his hair.

"It's not," Allison said, putting a hand on his arm. "We should have made more of an effort to include you."

Josh stopped on the path. "Really?"

"Of course," Allison said. "We've been friends since we were kids, Josh."

Josh stared at her, wondering why he had waited so long to realise how he felt about her. "Al..." he whispered. "I want to be more than friends with you."

"What?" Allison said, stopping in her tracks. "W-what did you just say?"

"I like you Allison," Josh said. "I have for awhile. But I haven't realised it until now."

Allison stared at him in disbelief. She couldn't be hearing him right. "Me...You like me? As in fancy me?"

"Yeah," Josh swallowed nervously. "I know this is bad timing and I know that you're with Jon but you and me... we're better suited."

"I-I don't know what to say," she stammered. "You never acted like you did, Josh. Never. You were always...I just don't know what to say."

"I thought I was in love with Julie," Josh replied. "But I'm not, I know that now. I never was."

Allison exhaled sharply and felt as if she was going to pass out just standing in front of him. These were the words she'd been dying to hear from him for so long, but now that he was saying them, she didn't know what to do.

"Jon asked me to be his girlfriend, Josh," Allison heard herself say. "He wants to take me to the Yule Ball this year."

Josh didn't know what to say. He wanted to be angry at his brother, he wanted to hate him for stealing Allie away but he couldn't. "Will you at least give me one chance?" he asked, cupping her chin in his hand

Allison's breath caught in her throat as Josh inched his face closer to hers. As he did, she closed her eyes.

"We can't," Allison said, pulling away from him, right before he could kiss her. "I'm sorry, Josh. I'll see you later."

"Al..." Josh caught her hand. "I know you felt something there."

"Let me go, Josh," Allison said, struggling out of his grasp. With that, she turned and ran toward her cabin.

"Allison!" Josh didn't want to give up.

Allison ran up the steps to the cabin and closed the door on Josh.

He knew none of the Longbottoms were back yet so he knocked on the door.

Allison reluctantly opened the door when it became obvious that he wasn't going to go away anytime soon.

"I don't know what you want from me," she said quietly, leaning against the door.

"A chance," Josh pleaded. "I just finally realised how I feel about you and I can't let it go."

"I've liked you for a long time, too," Allison admitted, looking away. "But, I finally realised that you'd never think of me anyway but as a little sister or something. And...I got to really know Jon and he's sweet and funny and charming...this is so damn complicated, Josh."

"It doesn't have to be," Josh replied.

"How could it not be?" she asked him incredulously.

Josh stared at her. "You can go with me."

Allison opened her mouth to reply to him, but to her relief her family was coming down the path.

"Hello, Josh," Cho said, grinning at him as she and Frankie walked up the steps.

"Hello," he replied. "I guess... I'll go now."

"I think that's a good idea," Allison said quietly.

"Will you at least think about it?" he asked in a low voice.

"Yes," Allison said, nodding. "Good night, Josh."

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" Cho asked, as Allison walked back inside the cabin.

"I'm fine Mum," Allison replied quietly.

"It's late," Cho said, knowing that things weren't fine, but deciding to let it drop for now. When Allison was ready to talk, she'd talk. "You and Frankie should probably get ready for bed."

"I know. Goodnight," Allison went into the bedroom she was sharing with her sister.

*** *** ***

Hermione stuck some sheaves of parchment back into her file folder so it was ready when they returned in a few days. She'd enjoyed her time at Hillsdale and was sorry that the month was already coming to a close. She was setting the folder in her case when Lavender strolled in nonchalantly. "Well... I would say good morning but for you it looks like afternoon already," Hermione teased. "I haven't seen you smile that big in a long time.

"Right," Lavender said, with an embarrassed grin. "I think I'll just go and freshen up."

"Not so fast," Hermione said. "You can't just leave me not knowing what's going on here!"

"Don't you have something important to do?" Lavender asked, as Hermione grabbed her arm and led her back to the couch. "Like shag your husband? I'm sure there's some place in the resort that you and Harry haven't. How about you go check out Ginny and Draco Malfoy's cabin?"

"That's just gross," Hermione pushed her down. "All you told me last night was that you were going out with Seamus and not to wait up."

"And I went out with Seamus," Lavender said trying not to smile as she remembered their romantic dinner.

Hermione glared at her in reply.

"Okay," Lavender said grinning. "He took me to this really nice restaurant in town. We talked for hours, Hermione! It was like old times."

Hermione's face relaxed into a smile. "Talked for hours? That's what Harry and I used to say when we first got together." she shook her head. "You didn't stay up all night talking, I know you too well."

"Well," Lavender said blushing. "Afterwards, we walked back here and I got cold so he let me have his jacket. And he was all set to walk me back to our cabin, but he asked if I wanted to go back to his for a bit and I couldn't say no, could I?"

"Of course not," Hermione said.

"We had the best time, Hermione," Lavender said dreamily. "We laughed and joked like we used to. And we did snog a little..."

"Oh please," Hermione replied. "Snogged a little?"

"A lot," Lavender corrected. "But that's really all we did. Don't look at me like that! It is!"

"And I don't believe a WORD of that," Hermione crossed her arms.

"We may have done a little more than that," Lavender admitted. "But we didn't shag or anything, Hermione. We're taking it slow."

Hermione looked at her a moment before smiling. "That's really great," she said. "I'm happy for you Lav. I knew once you two saw one another again sparks would start flying."

"Me too," Lavender said happily. "And you're not going to believe this! I knew it all along, of course, but Seamus said he didn't. Guess what, Hermione?"

"What?" Hermione asked expectantly.

Lavender scooted closer on the couch and had that look on her face that she always got when she was getting ready to divulge a secret or share some gossip. "Summer Rayne? Those weren't her real boobs and her lips? Complete collagen injections. I mean, come on! It was totally obvious!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "As if I care about that," she laughed. "Honestly Lav."

"Come on, Hermione!" Lavender said, shaking her head. Harry chose that moment to walk out of the bedroom and Lavender winked at her cousin.

"Hey, Harry?" Lavender asked. "What did you think of Summer's breasts?"

"Who?" Harry looked confused.

"Summer Rayne," Lavender said, rolling her eyes. "Seamus' ex? You knew her boobs were fake, didn't you?"

Harry's brow knitted together. "I really didn't look Lavender. I have a perfectly nice, natural set at my disposal," he grinned at his wife.

"Gross," Lavender said scrunching up her nose. "I don't know how Hermione puts up with you."

Harry grinned. "Do you really want an answer to that?"

"No," Lavender said. "That's quite alright. But, even if you didn't notice, which I don't believe for a second, Summer's breasts were not real. And those lips? Complete collagen."

Harry looked completely bemused. "I met her all of once Lavender," he pointed out. "And why do you care anyway?"

"I don't," Lavender said, smugly. "But at least all my equipment is real. Summer's wasn't."

"What about that surgery you had a few years back?" Harry asked.

"What surgery?" Lavender asked.

Harry and Hermione shared a look. "The top secret surgery you didn't say anything about until we saw the stitches?" Hermione asked.

"That was dental surgery!" Lavender hissed at them. "I have never had plastic surgery!"

"Then how come your eyes looked different afterwards?" Harry asked.

"Okay," Lavender said sheepishly. "I may have had a little work done to my eyes, but that's it!"

Harry laughed at her while Hermione shook her head. "I really am happy for you," she said.

"Thank you," Lavender said. "I am too. Now, if you don't mind, I think I'm going to go and take a nice, long bath."

Harry and Hermione watched her go. "What is she so happy about? And what are you happy for?" he asked.

"She and Seamus," Hermione answered. "They're unofficially back together."

"Oh really," Harry's eyebrows shot up. "Since when?"

"Since last night apparently," Hermione replied. "They've been getting closer throughout the holiday and last night, they had a really nice dinner and she stayed at his cabin. But, she says nothing happened other than snogging."

"As if I'll believe that," Harry snorted.

Hermione laughed. "That's what I said."

"Mum?" Ethan asked coming out of his bedroom. He still wore his pyjamas and his hair was dishevelled more than usual. He plonked down on the sofa beside Hermione.

"You look more and more like your dad everyday," Hermione said, smiling at him.

"What are you up to little man?" Harry asked, tousling his son's hair even more.

"Nothing," Ethan answered laughing. "Aunt Lavender woke me up. She was singing in the bath!"

"She's happy," Harry grinned. "For a change."

"I still think she's going to marry that Seamus bloke," Ethan said. "And I think this time, it will count."

Harry and Hermione both laughed. "You may be right love," Hermione said to her son.

"Are we going to the lake today, Dad?" Ethan asked. "You said we could go out on the boat."

"Sure if you'd like," Harry replied. "We can stay out there all afternoon if you want."

"You've come so far, Ethan," Hermione said, putting an arm around him. "A few weeks ago, you didn't even want to go near the water!"

"I know I got really brave," Ethan nodded. "I want to be a Gryffindor!"

"You will be," Harry said, ruffling his hair again. "I don't have any doubts."

"I'm going to get dressed," Ethan jumped off the sofa.

Hermione watched him go and laughed. "He is a chip off the old block."

"Aye," Harry sat back. "He's a good kid."

"Who worships the ground you walk on," Hermione said, cuddling close to him.

"For good reason," Harry replied. "I'm the best," he grinned at his wife.

Hermione shrugged. "You're okay, I guess."

"Excuse me?" Harry poked her side.

Hermione smiled. "You're right. You're right. You're...better than average."

"Hey!" Harry said.

Hermione squealed as Harry started to tickle her.

"Okay," she said laughing. "You're the best. Happy now?"

"Quite," Harry gave her a kiss. "Guess I'd better get my swim costume on."

"Need any help?" Hermione asked cheekily.

"Well if you're offering," Harry pulled on her hand. "I suppose it might be a bit difficult on my own."

"Well, I was hoping you'd help me, too," Hermione said. "You know those ties are always hard to tie by yourself."

Harry leaned in and nibbled on her neck. "That they are," he murmured.

"Now that I think about it," Hermione said, as Harry continued doing what he was doing "You're...absolutely fantastic, Harry."

"Thank you," He replied. "Only the best for you."

*** *** ***

Since it had been such a late night, Ron and Luna decided to have breakfast in their cabin and were busily setting things up when Jon walked out of his bedroom, a wide grin on his face.

"Who are you and what have you done with my son?" Luna asked, as Jon helped himself to some orange juice. "You are never this happy in the morning."

Jon grinned at his mother. "Just had a good night with a great girl," he replied, still unable to get the conversation about Allie being his girlfriend out of his head.

"Something tells me he's not talking about Maddie," Ron teased. "What time did you finally get her to go to sleep?"

"About an hour after we got back," Jon replied.

"Well, if Allison is the reason you're this happy," Luna said. "Remind me to thank her next time I see her."

"Very funny Mum," Jon said, "Yeah she is the reason. I really like her a lot."

"You two looked so adorable last night dancing," Luna said sighing happily.

Jon turned red. "Mum I am NOT adorable," he replied.

"Luna," Ron teased. "You know you never refer to your sons as adorable. Never, ever."

"Thanks Dad," Jon replied, picking RJ up from his chair where he was cooing happily.

"So this is serious, eh?" Ron asked, picking up two muffins.

"I guess," Jon said. "I mean... it's not serious like... if we were out of school you know," he didn't want his parents thinking he and Allie had done things far beyond their age and revoke his dating privileges. "We've been good."

Josh walked out of his bedroom and yawned.

"Look who finally decided to join us," Jon asked as he bounced R.J. on his knee. "Good morning, sunshine."

"Shut up," Josh replied, but it was without the malice that would have normally been dripping from his words. "Morning," he said to his parents.

"Morning, Josh," Ron said, with his mouth full.

"Ronald," Luna chastised.

"What?" he asked cluelessly.

"Thanks for seeing Al home for me last night, mate," Jon said to his brother. "I really appreciate that."

"It's no problem," Josh mumbled, not wanting his brother to guess what had transpired. Granted, Allison had not kissed him, and she hadn't exactly looked thrilled when he told her his feelings, but Josh figured there still might be a slight chance. "Glad to do it."

"This is so nice," Luna said, smiling at her sons. "Seeing you two get along..."

"It sure is," Ron agreed. "I was beginning to think the two of you didn't know how to talk without yelling."

Josh and Jon smiled at each other. "Well... we just figured we weren't showing RJ and the girls the proper example," Jon began saucily.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's it," Luna said, nodding.

"Hey I won't look a gift horse in the mouth," Ron grabbed another muffin.

"Yes, but you'll certainly stuff yours, right Dad?" Jon teased.

"Right," Ron took a large bite.

"So, do you have big plans for today, Jon?" Luna asked. "Planning on seeing Allie?"

"Later on," Jon nodded as he broke off tiny bits of a banana muffin to feed to RJ. "I'll go by the cabin. At least her dad stopped giving me the dirty looks."

"Since you made it official?" Luna asked. When Jon looked at her surprised, Luna grinned. "I'm sorry, Jon. Cho told me!"

"Yeah," Jon turned red again. "We made it official the other day." he smiled.

"You what?" Josh asked.

"Allie's my girlfriend," Jon was unaware of the look on his brother's face.

Josh stared at him in disbelief. Allison hadn't mentioned this last night.

"And they're going to the Yule Ball," Luna squealed.

"Merlin's beard, Mum!" Jon exclaimed. "You know everything, don't you?"

"I can't help it that Cho can't keep a secret," Luna replied.

"Good for you," Ron nodded, working on his 5th muffin. "Allie's a sweet girl."

"I didn't know you two were so serious," Josh said weakly.

Jon shrugged as he fed RJ more muffin. "We'll see where it goes," he replied. "I'm having fun being with her."

"Just fun?" Josh asked. He'd been counting on the fact that this wasn't very serious and in the long run, it wouldn't take Jon very long to get over it.

"I really like her," Jon looked at his brother properly. "And she said she really likes me too."

"She said that?" Josh asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Yeah the other day," Jon laughed as RJ grinned up at him.

It made sense, Josh suddenly thought. That was the reason why she hadn't kissed him last night. That was the reason she had acted so conflicted last night.

"Josh?" Luna asked. "Aren't you going to eat anything?"

Josh shook his head. "I'm not hungry, Mum."

"I am!" Drew had come into the room.

"That's what we like to hear!" Ron said, hugging her.

"There's no more banana muffins!" Drew said, looking at the empty plate. "Daddy! You know those are my favourites!"

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Ron said apologetically.

"I saved you one," Luna said, producing one for Drew. She glared at Ron.

"Thanks, Mum!" Drew said, happily taking the muffin.

"What?" Ron asked.

"You polished off six muffins in the span of five minutes," Luna said. "That's what."

"I'm hungry!" Ron replied.

"Me too!" Maddie said, bounding into the room in her pyjamas. She looked at the table and frowned. "Daddy ate all my muffins again, didn't he?"

"I saved your chocolate chip ones," Luna produced another plate.

"How much food do you have hidden?" Ron asked.

"Enough to feed our children with Ron," Luna said,

"You okay, Josh?" Jon asked. His brother had a far-away expression on his face.

"What?" he jumped. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" he asked quickly.

"I don't know," Jon asked good naturedly. "Maybe because you looked like you were a million miles away?"

Josh shrugged. "Guess I am." he said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to school."

"We're still on summer hols, Josh," Jon said.

"I like school," Josh said defensively.

"I'm looking forward to school, too," Jon said smiling at R.J. "Don't look so surprised, Josh. I am."

"Only cause you get to take Allie to the Yule Ball," Josh muttered.

"Not only that," Jon admitted. "But that is a big part of it."

Josh couldn't take listening to his brother talk about Allie anymore. "I'm going to take a shower," he said, getting up.

Luna walked over to her son and put a hand on his shoulder. "Josh? Is everything okay, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine Mum," Josh forced a smile on his face. "I didn't sleep well that's all."

"Okay," she said, giving his a sympathetic smile. "If you need to talk though, I'm here."

"Thanks," Josh got up and left the room.

"I'm going to get dressed too," Jon handed RJ off to his father.

"Okay," Ron said, his mouth still full of chocolate chip muffin.

"Daddy you ate my last muffin!" Maddie put her hands on her hips.

"No, I didn't," Ron said, trying to talk without opening his mouth. He swallowed. "Maybe it was Dolly."

"Dolly's in her cage," Maddie said.

Luna shook her head. "You're caught Ron."

"I'm sorry," Ron said sheepishly. "I'll make it up to you, Maddie. I promise."

"I want chocolate ice cream," Maddie said sternly.

"How about if Daddy pays for it," Luna said, picking her daughter up. "And Mummy takes you to go and get it? Because we know if Daddy goes, he'll just eat yours, don't we?"

"Hey," Ron said. "I do not eat everyone's ice cream!"

"You ate my muffins," Maddie pointed out.

"But sweetheart," Ron picked her up. "Muffins aren't ice cream."

"I don't even want to hear it," Maddie said.

Luna turned away to hide her laughter.

"Sweetheart," Ron toyed with his daughter's blonde curls.

"Chocolate ice cream, Daddy," Maddie said. "Okay?"

"Chocolate ice cream," Ron nodded. "And I won't touch a bite of it, I promise."

"Yeah, right," Drew teased her father.

"Hey now," Ron said. "How about ice cream for everyone? And I won't eat anyone's but my own!"

"Better," Drew said.

"Well..." Ron set Maddie down. "Soon as all of you get dressed we can go!"

"That might take some time," Luna said grinning at him.

"It always does," Ron said happily.

*** *** ***

Nick was looking forward to meeting Julie that afternoon- they'd only had a few minutes together the previous night as they were both rather tired after the struggles in the ballroom between their families and had decided to get together in their cove early that afternoon instead.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show," Julie said, smiling at him as he swam towards the cove.

"Sorry," he pulled himself up onto the shore. "Had a bit of trouble getting away from my mother."

She nodded and handed him a towel. "How are things?"

"Okay," he shrugged as he dried off. "I can't stand being around them anymore."

"Only a few more days," Julie said, standing on her tiptoes and kissing him.

"I know," Nick replied as he put his arms around her. "It's just never easy with them."

"So what did you do last night?" Julie asked, hoping to take his mind off his parents. "I'm sorry about last night. We were both knackered."

"I know I was exhausted," Nick gave her another little kiss. "Actually... I rang Greta back at home in Australia."

"Yeah?" Julie asked. "Did you tell her about me?"

"I did," Nick smiled at her as they spread their towels out and sat down. "She says she can't wait to meet you."

"I can't wait to meet her," Julie said, grinning. "Hey, you know what? You should invite her to spend Christmas with all of us at the Burrow!"

"She's coming back with me," Nick said. "I didn't tell her about what's been going on, about my parents using her to keep me in their clutches."

"Does she have any family of her own?" Julie asked, wanting to know more about the woman who'd raised her boyfriend.

"She had a husband but he died back before I was born," Nick replied. "She never had any kids."

"Yes she did," Julie said, putting a hand on his arm. "She had you."

"Well I was her unofficial kid," Nick smiled. "Know what she told me?"

"What?"

"That anyone who could make me sound so happy was fine by her," Nick brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. "You make me happy Julie."

"I do?" Julie asked, pressing her cheek into his palm.

"You do," Nick said softly.

"You make me happy, too," Julie whispered. "More than I thought was possible."

Nick smiled before leaning in to kiss her.

They fell back onto the towels and kissed for quite some time. When they finally came up for air, Julie nestled herself in the crook of Nick's arm.

"My parents took Ethan out on a boat today," she said conversationally. "I wish we could have gone with them."

"He's certainly gotten over his fear," Nick replied.

"He has," Julie said. "Thanks in no small part to you."

"I'm glad to help," Nick ran his hand up and down her arm.

"I can't wait for you to get to meet my friends back home, too," Julie said. "And hopefully, I'll get that teaching job I want, too."

"Everything will fall into place," Nick smiled at her. "I can't wait to move to London."

"What a coincidence," she said, grinning at him. "I can't wait for you to move to London, too."

He laughed. "Going to show me off are you?" he teased.

"Trust me," Julie said. "I will have nothing on Molly Weasley. She's going to be over the moon about you coming home."

"She's great," Nick thought about his maternal grandmother. "They've all made me feel like a part of their family within just a few minutes of meeting them."

"That's the way they are," Julie said. "And even with how they feel about your dad, they would have done everything in their power to make him feel at home. They'd have done it for your mum."

"I know," Nick replied. "That's what makes me so sick about this. There's no reason for my parents to be as horrible as they have been."

"I know," Julie said. "And as much as I don't like them and what they've done. I'm glad they were here because it brought you and I together."

"The silver lining," Nick laughed.

"I think I'll hold off on giving them my thanks," Julie joked.

"Good idea," he said.

"I've had enough talking," Julie said softly. "How about you?"

"More than enough," Nick reached for her.

On the shore a little while later, Ginny was trying to get some sun, but Draco wasn't making it easy on her. For one thing, he kept pacing in front of her lounge chair.

"Do you know where he is?" Draco asked her.

"No and I don't care," Ginny had had enough of her son's behaviour and after his vicious words the night before she'd given up hope of ever being close with him. She had Draco with her and that was all that mattered.

"You were supposed to be watching him," Draco pointed out. "I wanted to talk to him about starting up classes at University. I pulled some strings to get the ungrateful brat in and he stands me up. You're so careless sometimes, Red."

Ginny lowered her sunglasses. "He'll show up sooner or later, so why don't you just sit down and get some sun on that pasty posterior of yours?" she laughed at her little joke.

Draco didn't laugh, but he did sit down beside his wife. "We've been far too lenient with him. It's time we got down to business."

"What do you suggest we do?" Ginny asked lazily.

"I don't know," Draco said, reaching for his sunglasses. As he did so, he caught sight of his son coming out of the water hand in hand with Julie Potter.

"We'll I'll be," Ginny drawled.

"What the hell is that?" Draco asked, glaring at his wife. "Did you know about this?"

Ginny shrugged. "He was seeing her earlier this holiday but I thought you put a stop to that."

"So did I," Draco asked, watching as Nick looked around before giving Julie a chaste kiss goodbye. "I think I'm going to be sick."

"Obviously he doesn't see us," Ginny said. They were rather concealed behind some bushes. She made a face as her son kissed that Potter girl more deeply.

"This is going to stop," Draco said sternly. "And it's going to stop today."

Ginny smiled at her husband. "I love it when you're angry and determined."

"Well, you haven't seen anything yet," Draco said, watching as Julie walked away from Nick. "You haven't seen anything yet, Red."

*** *** ***

Jon was practically floating on air as he walked toward the Longbottom cabin. He was going to ask Allison is she wanted to join the Weasleys for dinner that evening. As he approached the Longbottom cabin, he didn't see anyone at first. The front door burst open and Frankie came out, looking upset about something.

"Can't I listen, please?" Frankie said. Chiaki and Allison followed and Jon resisted the urge to wave and make his presence known.

"If you promise to be quiet and let Allie talk," Chiaki said, sitting down on the porch swing. "We'll let you stay here. Okay, Frankie?"

Frankie nodded eagerly and sat down on the swing.

Chiaki put arm over her sister's shoulders. "All right, tell us what's on your mind. You've been looking troubled all morning."

Jon frowned. He had a feeling that he shouldn't be eavesdropping on something like this, but if something was bothering Allison, perhaps he could help.

"It's just so complicated," Allison said with a sigh.

"What is?" Chiaki asked her. "Come on, Allie. Tell us."

"It's about Jon," Allison said quietly. "And Josh... I'm not sure what to do."

Josh? Jon thought. What would Josh have to do with anything?

"I thought you weren't still hung up on Josh," Chiaki asked quietly. "I mean, you're dating Jon."

"I know," Allison fidgeted with a strand of hair. Her voice grew even quieter. "When Josh walked me home... he told me he fancies me. Why did he say it now?"

Jon strained to hear her voice and he knew if he left his hiding place now he'd risk being seen so he stayed put and hoped she'd talk louder.

"It's just that... I've fancied Josh for so long," Allison continued. "And the way he was looking at me made a few of those old feelings flare up..."

"I thought he was in lurrrve with Julie," Frankie interjected. Both her sisters glared at her.

"Frankie? Quiet, remember?" Chiaki asked her younger sister.

"I know," Frankie said sheepishly. "But he was!"

"Was," Allison nodded. "He told me doesn't think of her that way anymore. And any fool can see that Nick and Julie are head over heels for one another."

"That's true," Chiaki said. "But, Al. Jon really fancies you. I saw how he was with you that night we all went out."

Allison smiled. "That's what I'm hoping you'll help me figure out Chi."

"Well, I'll try," Chiaki said gently. "But I can't tell you which one you fancy more. That's up to you to decide. Either way, one of them is going to be hurt."

Jon felt the bottom of his stomach drop out. Allie fancied Josh?

"I've liked Josh for so long," Allison told her sisters. "Since we were kids. I never in a million years thought he'd like me, too. Last night when he told me, I didn't know what to do or say..."

Jon backed away quietly and turned and ran so he didn't have to hear anymore.

"Well... I guess what we have to think about here is who makes you feel happier," Chiaki replied. "Who do you feel like yourself with?"

Allison looked thoughtfully at Chiaki. "Jon."

"Who makes you laugh?" Chiaki smiled at her sister.

"Jon," Allison said with a grin. "He's really funny, Chi. We always have the best time together."

"Who did you go and snog in the theatre?" Frankie asked mischievously, her legs swinging.

"Frankie!" Allison giggled, playfully swatting at her sister.

"You did, Allie!" Frankie said, grinning.

"Well, I'm not the smartest girl in the world," Chiaki said. "But I think the answer should be obvious, don't you, Al?"

"Yeah," Allison smiled. "And it didn't even take that long to figure out either."

"See?" Chiaki teased. "You're the smartest one in the family, aren't you?"

"Maybe," Allison grinned at her sisters. "Thanks you guys, for hearing me out."

"It's what sisters do," Chiaki said. "I'm glad to help. How many times did I talk about Toshio with you?"

"All the time," Allison laughed.

"You never talk about him with me!" Frankie pouted.

"I would," Chiaki teased. "If you didn't want to know so much. I still have nightmares about how you used to hide behind the sofa to catch us snogging."

Allison laughed. "She spies on the boys in the loo at Hogwarts as well."

"I DO NOT!" Frankie protested. "That was Caroline Davies. Not me!"

"You were with her!" Allison said. "I caught you both red handed!"

"She...she made me do it," Frankie said, her cheeks beet red.

"Yeah, I'm sure she did," Chiaki said sarcastically. "I think you might want to give up on trying to follow in dad's footsteps as an Auror, Frankie. You're spying skills leave something to be desired."

"You're not funny Chiaki," Frankie crossed her arms. "If Mum and Dad would let me have a boyfriend--"

"You're 12!" Allison interjected. "No one dates at 12, Frankie. Chiaki didn't. I didn't. Julie didn't."

Frankie obviously wasn't pleased with this answer as Chiaki and Allison grinned at each other. "It's just not fair."

"It never is," Chiaki said, putting an arm around Frankie. "But tell me, Frankie. Is there any boy that you do fancy?"

"There's a whole bunch," Frankie said eagerly.

"Like who?" Chiaki asked. "Oliver Wood?"

Frankie grinned and Allison couldn't help but laugh. "Who DOESN'T fancy Oliver Wood?"

"Exactly," Chiaki said. "Even if he is our parents' age...the bloke is hot."

Allison laughed again. "Listen I'm going to go find Jon okay?"

"To snog?" Frankie teased.

"Wouldn't you like to know, blabbermouth," Allison got up. "Thanks again."

"Good luck," Chiaki said, watching Allison walk away.

Allison walked towards the Weasley cabin with a bounce in her step. She couldn’t wait to see Jon and she would talk to Josh as well and tell him where they stood. She hummed a little as she knocked on the door.

Drew answered the door. "Hi, Allie!"

"Hey Drew," she grinned at the little girl. "Are your um... brothers here?"

"Josh went swimming," Drew replied. "And Jon's in his bedroom."

"Oh," Allison was relieved that Josh wasn't there. "Do you think he'd mind if I talked to him?"

"I wouldn't see why not," Drew said, standing back so Allison could come inside. "You are his girlfriend after all, right?"

Allison turned red. "Yes," she ruffled Drew's hair.

Drew led Allison to Jon's bedroom and knocked on the door. "Jon! Your girlfriend's here!"

Allison blew out a deep breath. "Thanks Drew," she replied. "I don't think they heard you back home."

"You're welcome," Drew said, grinning at her before turning around and heading for her own bedroom.

"What are you doing here?" Jon asked coolly when he opened the door.

Allison was surprised at his tone. "Why wouldn't I want to come by?" she asked.

"Josh isn't here," Jon said, folding his arms. "I saw him down by the lake on my back here. If you hurry, you might be able to catch him."

She looked at him, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I thought you really liked me, Allison," Jon said, trying to keep his emotions in check. He didn't want her to know how much what he'd overheard earlier had hurt him. "But, I guess you were just using me to make Josh jealous, eh? Well, mission accomplished. Glad I could help."

"I really do like you!" Allison exclaimed.

"What happened last night when Josh walked you home," Jon asked her, ignoring what she'd just said.

Allison bit her lower lip. "Nothing happened," she said, which was true.

"Right," Jon said sarcastically. At that moment, Josh came back inside the cabin. He froze in his tracks when he saw Allison and Jon. "Well, isn't this just great. There he is, Allison. I hope the two of you will be very happy together. I'm glad I could play a part in getting the two of you together."

With that, Jon slammed his bedroom door.

"What's going on?" Josh asked weakly.

"I don't know," Allison's eyes suddenly filled with tears.

For a moment, Josh felt hopeful that this meant what he thought it did. Allison had come here to tell Jon that she fancied Josh and that she'd hoped that she and Jon could still be friends. But, the look on his brother's face, didn't leave Josh feeling very happy.

"Allie?" Josh tried again. "What's going on?"

"He thinks..." Allison's voice shook. "He thinks I was using him to make you jealous. I wouldn't do that!" she began to cry.

Josh stared at her, wondering if he should try and comfort her. "Allie, you really do like him, don't you?"

"Yes," she whimpered, sitting on the sofa.

"I didn't say anything to him about what happened last night, Al," Josh said, taking a few tentative steps toward her. "This morning, he was so happy about you and Mum and Dad were teasing him."

Josh sank down onto an armchair and put his head in his hands. "I've really cocked things up, haven't I?"

Allison didn't say anything for a moment. "Josh I don't want to hurt you..." she began.

"I know," Josh said, putting a hand up. "I waited too long. I shouldn't have said anything to you. I didn't think the two of you were that serious, Allison. I-I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Allison said. "I just wish he'd let me explain. I don't know where he got the idea that I was using him from."

"He was going to see you earlier," Josh said quietly. "We'd all gone into town for some ice cream and when we got back, he asked Mum if he could invite you to dinner with us."

Allison rubbed at her eyes. "I don't know what to do," she said quietly.

"I could talk to him for you," Josh said, getting up from his seat and walking over to sit beside her on the sofa. "Try and explain that last night it was all me. You didn't do anything."

"Do you think he'll listen?" she asked hopefully.

"It's worth a shot," Josh said. He looked at Allison sympathetically. "I really am sorry, Allie. I'm an idiot."

Allison managed a tremulous smile. "You're also a really good friend Josh. I imagine you're sick of hearing that but it's true."

"Well, at least you didn't tell me that you think of me like the brother you never had," Josh said, trying to lighten the mood. "That would have been the kiss of death."

Despite herself, Allison laughed. "Then I guess I better go before I say something I'll regret." she got up as did he, and after a momentary pause, she kissed him on the cheek. "I hope he'll listen. You'll tell him how I feel, won't you?"

"Yeah," Josh said, smiling reassuringly at her. "He really does like you, Allison. You should have seen him in here this morning. I've never seen him talk like that about anyone."

"Well I hope it's not too late," she replied softly. "Thanks again Josh. I know this can't be easy for you."

"I'm sort of getting used to it," Josh deadpanned. "Two rejections in one holiday. It doesn't get better than that."

"You'll find a girl someday and you'll wonder why you ever wanted me and Julie," Allison said.

"Yes, and I'll never introduce her to any male member of my family," Josh joked. "Until after we're married, of course."

"Right," she got up. "I'll see you later then?"

"Yes," Josh said, giving her a hug. "I'll do what I can with Jon, Allie. I promise."

"Thank you," she rested her head on his shoulder a moment before pulling away and heading out the door.

Josh stared at the closed bedroom door and hesitated for a moment before going inside. Jon was sitting on the bed, listening to some Muggle headphones on a portable CD player. He glared at his brother as Josh walked inside.

"Mind if I have a quick word?" Josh asked.

"Actually I do," Jon turned to look in the other direction. "Why aren't you out snogging my girlfriend? Oh wait, I'm sorry. She's yours now isn't she?" he scoffed and sat back.

"No," Josh said calmly. "She's yours. She never was mine, Jon."

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes.

Josh sat down on the edge of his brother's bed. "Look, Allison may have fancied me before, but you know what, Jon? I was too blind to see it. She finally gave up on me and she started seeing you. I won't lie to you, Jon. I do like her. But, she doesn't like me. She wants to be with you. She told me so herself. If I really wanted to be with her, do you think I'd be in here convincing you to give her another chance?"

Jon turned up the volume on the CD player to drown out his brother's voice.

"Okay," Josh said, seeing that now probably wasn't the best time to talk. "I guess you need some time to cool off."

Jon glared at him. "Yeah, go out and have a nice snog at my expense."

Josh ignored the comment and left the room. In the span on one holiday, he'd managed to be rejected by two girls and he'd alienated his twin brother. If it could get worse, he didn't want to know.

19. The World Outside

A/N: Well we have a nice long chapter for you guys today- we think you’ll be pleased with what comes out of this one ;) at least much more than the last one! As always, please take a few seconds to let us know what you think- we both thrive on feedback!

The World Outside – The Devlins

Your light in my dreams
Light up my skin
You're so far away
You're holding it in
I'm looking around
Watching it spin
Got my world outside
It's changing
Something within

*** *** ***

Lavender sat on the floor of Seamus' cabin with her sketchbook in her lap. Seamus was talking to his assistant on his mobile. Talking was an understatement, Lavender thought to herself. She could just picture his poor assistant holding the phone away from her ear so she wouldn't take the full brunt of his tirade.

"And I've already said that no one can do this better than Summer," Seamus replied. "I don't want to be difficult but this is how it has to be."

Lavender frowned at the mention of Seamus' ex. But, from what Seamus said, the girl was a good actress. At the moment, Lavender was more amused at his comment about not wanting to be difficult.

"I'm not coming back straightaway," Seamus replied. "Taryn you told me yourself that you were glad I was taking a holiday." he paused for a moment. "And I am not being any more a tyrant than I normally am." Lavender burst out laughing at his comment.

She bit her lip to try and stop her laughter.

"Sorry," she mouthed to him between giggles.

"I'll be back in a few weeks," Seamus replied. "And I'm sure you miss me right Taryn?" he laughed in reply.

Lavender went back to her sketches and waited patiently for him to finish his phone call.

"So you saw that extra bit in your pay did you?" Seamus asked smugly. "Told you I appreciate you."

Lavender grinned. Seamus was a notorious taskmaster, but he also rewarded those who worked as hard as he did. It was one of his qualities that she admired so much.

"So I'll see you in a few weeks." Seamus said. "Right Taryn. Thanks." he clicked off his phone. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay," Lavender said, looking up from her sketchpad. "I was amused."

"Oh were you?" Seamus slid down next to her. "Why are you sitting down here anyways?

"It's comfortable," Lavender said, leaning against the bed. "Don't you remember? I used to do this all the time at your flat."

Seamus smiled as he recalled those days. "Feels so long ago sometimes yet other times I still feel as if it was yesterday."

"I know what you mean," Lavender said with a smile. "I couldn't help overhearing that you plan on staying a little longer."

"Well... for Julie's party," Seamus said. "It's good being over here again. I didn't realise how much I've missed it here." he moved closer to her. "I also plan on staying for you, Ms. Brown."

Lavender had hoped that she may have played some part in his decision to extend his holiday. "You do realise that there will probably be dancing at Julie's party, don't you? As I recall, you used to hate it when I made you dance with me."

"Aye and I still have two left feet," Seamus replied.

"You weren't that bad," Lavender teased.

"And I think I've gotten worse," Seamus said.

"Come on, Seamus," Lavender said. "You must have gone to how many parties in Hollywood? You had to have danced at those, didn't you?"

"I managed to avoid it," Seamus said smugly. "I don't hang around actors all day and not have something to show for it."

Lavender grinned and closed her sketchpad. Her eyes lit up as an idea came to her. She held out her hand to help him to his feet. "Come on, Finnigan. Let's see how bad you still are."

"No," Seamus protested as she pulled him up. "Lav come on..."

"I have to know if you're going to embarrass me at Julie's party," Lavender said, going over to his bedside table and turning on the clock radio. She scanned through the stations until she found a suitable song.

Seamus stood unwillingly in the middle of the room. "We don't HAVE to dance at her party," he said.

"Yes we do," Lavender said, crooking her finger at him. "Come on, Finnigan. You know I'm going to get my way in the end. Why do you even bother fighting?"

He groaned as she tugged on his hands. "I'm not doing any fancy moves."

"Do you know how to do any fancy moves?" Lavender asked teasingly.

"No," he replied.

"Okay then," Lavender said. "Come on, Seamus. Loosen up."

Seamus allowed her to place his hands on her hips. "What do you want me to do?"

"Move," Lavender instructed. "Look like you're having a good time."

Seamus tried to imitate her movements but only wound up stepping on her foot instead. "Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Lavender said, wincing. "I'm lucky I decided against the pedicure this morning."

Seamus kept trying to move like she did but it was fruitless. After stepping on her toes three more times he pulled away. "You're going to have to leave here on crutches."

"It's okay," she reassured him. "It wasn't that bad, Seamus. I had an ulterior motive for asking you to dance with me. I wanted to be in your arms again."

"Well you don't need an ulterior motive for that," he grinned at her.

"Why didn't you tell me that before you stomped all over my toes?" she asked.

"Payback?" Seamus asked mischievously.

"Wanker," Lavender said shoving him.

"Come over here and say that," Seamus said, lying on his back on the bed.

"Now, who has the ulterior motive?" she asked, but did as she was told.

Seamus pulled her on top of him. "Are you complaining?" he asked huskily.

"No," she said looking down at him. "No complaints from me."

"Right," he tugged on her arm, pulling her down so he could kiss her.

"Hmmm," Lavender purred when they pulled apart. "I always did like it when you did that."

"And this?" he nibbled down her neck. "Still like that?"

"I still love that," she breathed.

"Good," he kissed her again on the mouth, rolling them over so she was underneath him now.

"Merlin, I've missed you," Lavender whispered.

"Can you believe this?" he asked stroking her hair. "That we're back together?"

"We never should have been apart," Lavender said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"No more of that," Seamus put a finger on her lips. "Let's let bygones be bygones."

Lavender smiled up at him. "I love you, Seamus. I always have and I always will."

"Same here," Seamus said softly before leaning in to kiss her again. "Hey close your eyes a minute."

Lavender wondered what he was getting at, but decided to go with it and closed her eyes as he asked.

"I don't want you to think you have to read too much into this," he sat up and reached into the bedside drawer. "I've carried this with me since I left England. I always take it with me when I travel." he opened the jewellery box and took out a lovely amethyst and diamond ring. "This has always been yours," he slid it onto her finger.

Lavender felt her breath catch in her throat as she opened her eyes and looked at the ring. She was speechless as she looked from him to the ring.

"It's...it's beautiful," she finally managed to say.

"I bought it because it reminded me of you," Seamus said softly.

"I can't believe you kept this all these years," she whispered.

"Yeah well..." Seamus gave her an embarrassed smile. "There were a few times I wanted to get rid of it, especially right after we ended things. But something told me to hang onto it. I'm glad I did."

"Me too," Lavender said, touching his cheek. "So I know you said that I didn't have to read too much into this, but does this mean what I think it does?"

"If you want it to," he said nervously.

"I haven't had the best track record in the marriage department," Lavender said quietly. "You could do a lot better than me."

"I'll be the judge of that," Seamus stroked her cheek.

Lavender smiled. She didn't think she deserved a second chance after all that she'd done to him and the years that her stubbornness had cost them.

"Well, if you're asking," she said, tears shining in her eyes. "Then my answer would be yes."

"Then I'm asking..." he whispered. "Marry me Lav?"

"Yes," she said happily. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

He laughed as she launched herself on top of him, kissing him passionately. Their clothes were flung to the floor several minutes later.

Lavender hadn't felt this happy or complete in years. She was going to marry the only man she'd ever loved. She kissed him soundly. "This wasn't some ulterior motive of yours to get me into bed, was it?" she asked with a wide grin. "Because you wouldn't have had to try so hard."

Seamus laughed. "I didn't plan any of that my dear," he replied.

"You do realise we'll have to dance at our wedding, don't you?" she teased.

"Guess you'd better start showing me a few moves now then," Seamus said. "Well not now... maybe in awhile after we're finished in here."

"You won't be able to move after we're finished in here," Lavender said, nuzzling his neck.

"That goes double for you love," He ran his hands through her hair.

"Welcome home, Seamus."

"Welcome back Lavender."

*** *** ***

Dinner that night was a fun affair for the adults, but where all the younger people were sitting it was rather tense. Chiaki had filled Julie in on what had happened that afternoon with Allison and Jon was studiously ignoring everyone, choosing instead to stare moodily at either the floor or the ceiling.

Julie had brought her party list to the table and Chiaki was currently helping her write down everyone that was planning to attend.

"Don't forget to put Luke and Anna down," Hermione called out to her daughter. "She sent an owl the other day. They're going to bring Lizzy down with them."

"Okay Mum," Julie said, writing down the names. "It'll be good to see them. Since they relocated to Glasgow we hardly hear from them anymore."

"Lizzy's around 16 now, isn't she?" Chiaki asked.

"She's in Ravenclaw," Allison answered softly.

Jon looked over at her, surprised to hear her voice. When she caught his gaze, he looked away.

Luna laughed and poked Josh in the side. "Do you remember how the two of you used to play together when you were little?"

"No," Josh replied. "Not really..."

"You were only four at the time," Luna said. "Don't you try and seek her out at school?"

Josh shook his head. "She's in another house, Mum."

"It's not that hard to see your friends in other houses," Ron replied.

Josh shrugged.

"Mum?" Jon asked icily. "Could you ask Josh to pass the dinner rolls?"

Luna stared at Jon. "You can't ask him? He's sitting right across from you, Jon."

"No," Jon said, glaring at his brother. "I'm afraid he'll want them once he knows that I do."

Allison bit her lower lip at Jon's words and she grabbed the basket and passed them over to him.

Jon's hand brushed hers as he took the basket and their eyes locked again. "Um, thanks," Jon said taking the basket and looking away.

"Sure," she replied softly, hoping he would agree to talk with her after dinner.

"Well, look who has finally decided to grace us with their presence," Hermione said, as Lavender and Seamus walked into the restaurant arm-in-arm.

"Sod off Hermione," Lavender replied. "We were busy."

"Is that what you kids are calling it these days?" Cho teased.

"Call what?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah, what?" Maddie asked. She and Ethan were sharing a box of crayons and drawing while they waited for dinner to be served. When the adults brushed their question off, Maddie and Ethan sighed in frustration. Maddie jumped out of her chair and grabbed her paper. She walked around the table to Harry.

"Here, Uncle Harry," she said, handing it to him. "It's a bunny rabbit. Daddy says that's your favourite."

Everyone laughed as Harry turned red. "Well thank you Maddie," Harry pulled her onto his lap and kissed her cheek. "Did you hear what your Daddy's favourite thing is? A big hairy spider?"

Maddie shook her head. "Daddy's scared of spiders. He's a bit of a baby about them, don't you think?"

"I agree," Harry nodded as Ron sputtered indignantly.

Julie laughed and was about to go back to her list when a bright sparkle on her aunts ring finger caught her eye. “Aunt Lav!” she gasped.

"What?" Lavender asked nonchalantly. She and Seamus had made a wager that Lavender wouldn't be able to keep quiet about this. In an effort to prove him wrong, she hadn't burst into the restaurant yelling the news to everyone. She had wanted to do that so badly, but money and a massage were on the line so she'd kept in control.

"What's that on your finger?" Julie asked, her eyes wide.

"Just a ring," Lavender said, beaming at Julie.

"Just a ring?" Hermione asked sceptically.

"Well, if you want to get technical about it," Lavender said smiling at her cousin. "It's an engagement ring. Would you mind passing the dinner rolls?"

"Wait just one minute!" Hermione replied. "You're ENGAGED?"

"YES WE ARE!" Lavender squealed unable to keep quiet any longer.

"And thank you Hermione and Julie," Seamus grinned. "I just won ten quid and a massage."

"I held out longer than you thought I would, didn't I?" Lavender asked him.

"A bit I suppose," Seamus leaned in and gave her a peck on the lips.

"When did this happen?" Luna asked, smiling dreamily at her friends.

"This afternoon," Lavender replied. "He took me completely by surprise of course."

"So he is going to be the third then?" Harry teased.

"First Harry," Lavender gave him a dirty look. "The other two-"

"Didn't count," Seamus finished for her.

"Well you know what they say," Hermione said, winking at her cousin. "Third time is the charm."

"Right," Lavender said. She held out her hand so everyone could see. "Isn't it gorgeous?" she asked proudly.

"It is," Julie said with an admiring look at the ring. "So have you set a date yet?"

"No not yet," Lavender replied. "We still have a few things to figure out first."

"Well hopefully this time you'll make sure your friends and family are present for this wedding that will count," Julie teased. "No eloping, okay?"

Lavender smiled back at her niece. "We'll see," she said, leaning against Seamus. "I promise you that you'll all be there at the very least."

"Great," Hermione said, raising her glass. "To Seamus and Lavender!"

Everyone echoed the sentiment as Lavender blushed. "Thank you everyone," she said.

Julie smiled at her aunt and looked back down at her list. Chiaki looked over her friend's shoulder. "This is quite a guest list, Jules. Then again, you only turn 20 once."

"Well I blame my mum," Julie replied. "She's added half these people herself. They're people from the Ministry. And then Dad had to put on some of his fellow Aurors... and then there was also someone who decided she wanted me to invite her entire ballet company..." she glared good naturedly at Chiaki.

"At least you know them," Chiaki said defensively. She looked down at the list. "Since when have you ever met someone named Beatrice Pine?"

"She works with my Mum," Julie said, swatting her friend away.

"Right," Chiaki said dryly. "We'll have to go shopping once we get back to London. We both need something new for this party." she looked over at her sister who was staring at Jon. "Hey Al, want to go shopping with me and Jules when we get back?"

"What?" Allison said distractedly.

"Hello..." Chiaki waved her hand. "Shopping for the party for new robes to wear?"

"Oh," Allison said blushing. "Yeah, that sounds like fun."

"Allison?" Neville asked, looking at his daughter. "Sweetheart, are you okay? You've not seemed yourself all day."

"I'm all right Dad," Allison replied quietly. "Just got a lot on my mind is all."

Neville looked at Jon who was stealing glances at his daughter and felt anger rise up in him. As if sensing this, Cho patted her husband's knee under the table.

"Leave it, Nev," Cho whispered. "Please?"

Neville relaxed at her look and sat back in his chair. "It's going to be hard getting back into work after having so much time off." he said, purposefully changing the subject.

"You're telling me," Hermione agreed. "I don't even want to think about going back to work."

"Hermione Potter?" Ron asked. "You? You of all people aren't looking forward to going back to work?"

"I've gotten her distracted," Harry said proudly.

"Since day one," Hermione said, resting her head on his shoulder.

As if on cue all the adults rolled their eyes at once. "Poster couple of the year," Lavender muttered.

Julie grinned. "Speaking of couples...will you be coming with Aunt Lav to my party, Seamus?"

"Of course I will," Seamus smiled at her. "I've decided to stay on in London for a little while longer. I can put off my picture until I get back. That's the only good thing about negotiations."

"I think she's got such a large guest list so she can get loads of presents," Josh teased, smirking at Julie.

"You stuff it Josh Weasley, and you'd better get me one yourself," Julie teased back.

"I've already bought it," Josh called out to her. "And I'm not telling you what it is so don't even bother asking."

"Well make sure you tell Aunt Cho," Julie said. "So I can get it out of her later."

"I'm not that stupid," Josh said. When he felt his brother glaring at him again, he sighed and leaned back in his chair.

Allison tapped Jon on the shoulder. "Would you mind going for a walk after dinner? I'd really like to talk to you..."

"I'm busy," Jon said coolly.

"Please," Allison said softly. "I really think we need to talk."

"I have to read Maddie a story," Jon looked directly at her. "It's nice that at least one female around here prefers me to Josh."

"That's not true," Allison said, biting back her tears. "I want to be with you, Jon. Not Josh."

"Right," Jon got up abruptly.

Allison pushed back from her chair and walked over to her mother. "Mum? Would it be okay if I went back to the cabin? I'm really not feeling well."

"Are you sure sweetheart?" Cho asked concernedly. "I'm really worried about you..."

"Yeah," Allison said nodding her head. "I'm fine."

"Jon since you're leaving why don't you walk her back," Ron said.

"Dad," Jon opened his moth to protest, but his father looked at him sternly. "Okay. Fine."

Allison shared a look with Chiaki as she grabbed her jumper off the back of the chair. Jon kept himself a step ahead of her as they went outside. "You know, you can actually walk with me," she was surprised at how bitter her voice was.

"We both know that's not what you want," Jon said angrily.

"And how would you know?" she countered. "You won't even try and talk to me!"

"We're talking now," Jon said quietly.

"That's not what I mean and you know it," Allison said, fighting her tears back again.

Jon stopped walking and looked at her properly. He could see tears welling up in her eyes and he'd always hated to see her cry. His anger was momentarily forgotten. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Us," she said, her lower lip trembling.

"The other day I came by your cabin to ask if you wanted to eat with us," Jon said slowly. He couldn't believe he was actually telling her this. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard what you said about Josh to your sisters."

Allison stared at him disbelievingly. "You heard that? But if you heard that then..."

"I didn't stick around to hear anymore," Jon interjected. "I left as I heard you say that you'd always fancied Josh."

"You git!" Allison replied. "You didn't hear Chiaki ask me who made me happier, who made me laugh all the time did you?"

"I didn't need to, did I?" Jon asked, turning away. "I'm not a glutton for punishment, Al."

"You're an idiot is what you are," Allison replied.

Jon turned back around. "I'm an idiot? I guess I was because over this holiday I fell in lo..."

"What?" Allison felt her heart stop.

Jon blushed. "It's not important..."

"What were you about to say?" Allison asked, a large lump in her throat.

Jon couldn't believe he'd been about to tell her how he'd really felt. But, he thought as he looked at her, he'd already been humiliated. Why not go all the way with it then? "I was going to say that...that I fell in love with you," Jon said softly. "Happy now?"

Allison's eyes filled with tears again. "Jon..." she said softly.

"What?" he asked, looking down at his feet. He braced himself for her to tell him that while he was very sweet, she loved Josh.

"If you'd stuck around to hear what I was saying when I was talking to my sister," she began. "You'd have heard me say that you make me happy, you make me laugh..." she moved closer to him. "I don't want Josh. I used to fancy him but it was until I spent more time with you that I realised I liked you more. And now it's only you."

Jon looked up in surprise. "Really?"

"Really," Allison smiled through her watery eyes. "You git."

"I am a git, aren't I?" he asked her, smiling for the first time in two days.

"Yes," Allison said. "You're a git but I love you too."

"You do?" Jon asked hopefully. He put his hands on her waist and pulled her close.

"Yes," Allison wiped at her eyes. "I mean... we are young but I think we know what love feels like."

Jon nodded. He brushed a tear from her cheek and felt terrible that he'd been the cause of her pain.

"I'm sorry, Al," Jon whispered.

"It's okay," she said softly. "Now it's okay..."

Jon shook his head and then leaned in for a kiss. "Now, it's okay," he whispered when they pulled apart.

Allison smiled at him. "Very much so," she said, pulling him down again. He wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around in a circle.

He looked at her mischievously. "So, you know everyone will be in the restaurant for a long time, right?"

"Right," Allison grinned back. "What are you thinking?"

"It'd be shame to let an empty cabin go to waste, don't you think?" Jon asked her innocently.

She giggled. "Yours or mine?"

"Mine, I think," Jon said thoughtfully. "I just had an image of your dad busting in on us...it wasn't pretty."

"That works for me," Allison kissed him again.

"Race you?" Jon asked.

"Right on," Allison immediately took off down the path.

Jon took off after her laughing the entire way.

"Beat you," Allison was breathless but giggling as they got to the Weasley cabin.

"I let you win," Jon said trying to catch his breath.

"Sure you did," Allison leaned against him as he wrapped his arms around her. "Hey Jon?"

"Yes, Al?"

"Remember how you kissed me in the movie theatre?" she asked, resting her chin on his chest as she looked up at him.

"Oh, I definitely remember that," he replied.

"Good," Allison said. "Cause I'm starting to forget... I think perhaps I need some refreshing..."

Jon grinned and opened the front door. "Come on in here, Longbottom. I'll see what I can do."

*** *** ***

Nick headed out to meet Julie but his mind was preoccupied that day. They only had a day or so left of their holiday but his parents had been acting awfully strange. When he’d informed them that he was going out to see his uncle, they’d smiled, actually SMILED, and told him to have a good time.

That in itself worried Nick. His parents never smiled that way unless they had something up their sleeve. He wondered if they’d somehow caught wind of his relationship with Julie.

Julie spent most of the morning in the dance studio watching Chiaki rehearse. Nick was supposed to meet her later and she'd left word for him to meet her here instead of at the cove.

"I can't believe I haven't danced properly in two whole weeks," Chiaki groaned as she turned the music off. "You could tell, couldn't you?"

"Chiaki," Julie said, laughing. "You've always been your own worst critic. You're amazing."

"I wish I believed you," Chiaki grimaced as she turned to the side. "I've gotten fatter since I came here."

"You have not!" Julie exclaimed. "You're as thin as a rail, Chi."

Chiaki sucked in her stomach. "I guess..." she replied. "I don't know how I'll do lifts with Toshio. He's going to think he's lifting up a killer whale."

"You are not fat, Chiaki," Julie told her. "Deluded, yes. But fat...no."

"Maybe I won't eat until your party," she said, turning the other way.

"You're going to fast for two weeks?" Julie asked her, shaking her head. "Come on, Chi. Quit fishing for compliments."

Chiaki dropped her shirt. "All right fine," she replied. "Come on Jules dance with me until the love of your life gets here."

Julie laughed. "Okay. What did you want to do?"

"I don't care," Chiaki twirled around the room.

Julie imitated Chiaki's movements. She was surprised that she wasn't as rusty as she thought she'd be. It had been three years since she'd given up dance lessons. She'd been taking them from Cho since she'd been four years old.

"See you're still good," Chiaki said, swinging her hips. "I miss dancing like this all the time... I love ballet but this is so much fun."

"I know," Julie agreed. "We should do stuff like this more often."

"I agree," Chiaki laughed. "You're the only one that likes to go to the clubs with me. Toshio just wants to sit around at home."

"I go to make sure you stay in line," Julie said, nudging her friend.

"Oh please," Chiaki scoffed. "I'm a good girl!"

"Tell that to someone who hasn't know you her entire life," Julie retorted.

Chiaki bumped her best friend. "Look who's talking. Ever since you got with Nick all you've talked about is shagging."

"I have not!" Julie argued.

"You have too," Chiaki laughed.

"Well, you're my best friend. I'm supposed to talk about this with you. I can't very well talk about it with my dad, can I?" Julie asked.

Chiaki laughed harder. "I'd pay to see the look on Uncle Harry's face if you told him you're no longer his innocent baby girl."

"Yes, well your dad still thinks you and Toshio haven't done anything, either," Julie countered.

Chiaki shook her head. "I don't know how he could miss it."

"Fathers are blissfully clueless about these sorts of things, I guess," Julie said thoughtfully. "And what they don't know, can't hurt them, right?"

"Exactly," Chiaki nodded.

"Okay," Julie said. "You didn't tell me what happened with Allie and Jon after they left. They didn't come back so I'm guessing things are okay between them now?"

Chiaki began laughing. "She didn't show up until almost midnight, if that means anything to you."

Julie giggled. "You're kidding! Being as Jon is still alive, I'm assuming your dad knows nothing about this?"

"We covered for her," Chiaki replied. "And Frankie doesn't know either because she wouldn't be able to shut up about it. My dad's loosened up a bit, but the only reason he's allowing this at all is because it's Jon Weasley."

"Frankie takes after your Mum a little too much I think," Julie commented. She looked at her watch and wondered what was keeping Nick.

"She just wants to be a grownup," Chiaki replied. "She doesn't realise how good she has it being a kid."

"Ethan's the same way," Julie said. "He hates it when Mum and Dad make him leave the room when they have to talk about 'grown-up' stuff. All kids are that way, though. We were."

"Don't I know it," Chiaki said. "Hey little bro," she teased as Nick came into the studio.

"Hey big sis," Nick joked. He smiled at Julie. "Sorry I'm late."

"It's okay," Julie smiled back. "We were just having a little fun in here."

"Girl talk?" Nick guessed.

"Something like that," Julie replied. "We were dancing too."

"And I'm completely out of practise," Chiaki said with a groan.

Julie rolled her eyes. "Don't let her trick you into complimenting her Nick."

"Oh shut it, you," Chiaki said. She looked at her own watch. "I've got to get going. Not only because I want to give you two love birds time on your own, but also because I promised Frankie I'd play croquet with her."

Julie laughed. "Have fun with that. You know it's only her reason to get you alone so she can grill you about boys."

"I'll just tell her about you and Nick," Chiaki teased. "Goodbye, lovebirds."

"Bye Chi," Julie replied. "I'm glad you came," she smiled at Nick once they were alone. "I'm going to miss you so much when we have to leave here."

"You act like you're not going to see me ever again," Nick said giving her a hug. "I just have to tie up some loose ends with my band and make arrangements for Greta. Then, you'll have me all to yourself in London."

"Do you even know how much I can't wait for that?" Julie rested her chin on his shoulder. "Just to be able to walk around with you out in Diagon Alley and not worry about who sees us?"

"I know," Nick said. "I want the same thing, too. I'm sorry you've had to put up with my parents and all their drama this holiday. It hasn't been fair to you or to your family."

"It's worth it though," Julie replied. "I'd do this all over again if it meant we would still be together."

"So would I," he whispered, pulling away so he could look at her properly. "Well, I'd do without that slap you gave me right after I kissed you that first time."

Julie laughed. "If I had known back then how hard I would fall for you I'd have just snogged you right there."

"At least we'll have a good story to tell our grandchildren, right?" he asked her with a laugh.

"Our grandchildren?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Yeah," Nick said, hoping he hadn't scared her off by talking about the future like that. "When we're old and grey and sitting on the front porch swing we can tell our grandchildren all about how their mean, old grandma smacked the living daylights out of their nice, sweet grandfather."

"I beg your pardon," Julie said, laughing.

"We could leave out the 'old' part," Nick said. "But the mean part that has to stay. Because it was completely mean, Jules. Not to mention that it hurt like hell."

Julie shook her head. "Maybe this will help you feel better," she pressed her lips softly to his cheek.

"It's a start," Nick said with a grin.

Julie kissed his neck, working her mouth down. "How's that?" she purred.

"Much better," Nick said, pulling her closer.

"Mmmhmm," Julie said lazily as he leaned in to kiss her.

"Jules?" Nick said breathlessly when they pulled apart. "I think you should know something. I think my parents might know...or at least suspect that you and I are together."

"Why do you think that?" she asked softly, pushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"For one thing, they were actually pleasant to me this morning," Nick explained. "And they smiled at me, Jules. They never, ever smile at me. Which leaves me to believe that they're up to something."

Julie thought for a moment. "But if they were going to do something... would they already have done it? You said yourself they wouldn't put up with this for a moment."

"True," Nick said. "But if it's not about you and me, what else could it be? They're obviously planning something. I just think you and I should be extra careful these next couple of days."

"Okay," Julie kissed him again. "What about if we go back to my cabin? They wouldn’t think of going in there."

Nick nodded. "That sounds perfect."

"Great," Julie kissed him before taking his hand.

"Two more days," Nick said. "Two more days."

"That's all," Julie said, feeling excited about their future together.

They were half way to the Potter cabin when Nick stopped in his tracks. "I forgot something back at my cabin. Would it be okay if I just met you there?"

"Sure," Julie said. "You know the way."

"I think I do," Nick said, chancing a quick kiss. "I bought a little something for Ethan. I'll just grab the gift and meet you at yours in about fifteen minutes, okay?"

"All right," she smiled as he turned and went back in the direction of his cabin. She was strolling at a leisurely pace when a cold drawling voice made her stop in her tracks.

"Julie Potter," Draco said, coming up behind her. "I don't think we've been formally introduced."

Julie stared evenly back at Nick's father. "No but I know you've met my parents," she said coolly.

"Ah, yes," Draco said, nodding. "I do know your parents. You look very much like your mother. Has anyone ever told you that?"

"All the time," Julie replied. "If you'll excuse me," she attempted to go by him on the path but he grabbed her arm.

"Don't go just yet," Draco said with a fixed smile. "You've been dating my son after all. We should get to know each other, don't you think?"

Julie stared at him a moment. "Nick and I haven't been dating," she lied. "Not since you came."

Draco laughed. "You're not a good liar, Julie."

Julie rolled her eyes. "It was nice meeting you but I have to go," she again tried to walk past him.

"And I said you weren't going yet," he said, tightening his grip on her arm. "I can certainly understand what Nicholas must have seen in you. You're feisty just like your Mum. We Malfoy men have always liked a challenge."

"Don't touch me!" Julie jerked herself away.

"Sorry," Draco said giving her a fake smile. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, Miss Potter. I only wanted to have a few words with you about my son."

"Like what?" Julie crossed her arms over her chest.

"My son is a member of one of the most powerful and oldest Wizarding families in the world, Miss Potter," Draco answered. "He's a pureblood wizard. My entire family is pureblood. Do you really think we'd allow a Malfoy to marry someone of...questionable heritage?"

"That's none of your business," Julie shot back. "He doesn't want to BE a part of your family anymore!"

Draco threw his head back and laughed. "Well at least you're not denying that you are seeing each other. That's refreshing."

"I have to go," Julie snapped. "I'd appreciate it if you left me alone. I'm sure my FATHER would appreciate that as well."

"Oh, yes," Draco said grinning at her. "Your father. I was wondering when you'd throw his name around. Such a hero he was. I seem to remember a time when he couldn't protect you, Julie. Though, you were just a baby then."

Julie narrowed her eyes. "Stay away from me," she said, not allowing this man to intimidate her.

Draco ignored her. "It was a shame they couldn't follow through with that."

Julie pushed past him, not wanting to listen to any more of what the had to say. She couldn't remember her attempted kidnapping and was glad of it.

"Good bye, Julie," Draco called after her. "Keep an eye out, won't you? We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you."

"Is that a threat?" Julie asked hotly.

"No," Draco said, stepping closer to her. "That's a word of warning. You stay away from my son and no harm will come to you. It's as simple as that."

"You can't order him around," Julie replied. "He's not a child."

Draco was finding it hard to keep his anger in check. This girl obviously had no idea who and what she was dealing with.

"I can order him around," Draco said coldly. "And I certainly can do whatever it takes to keep him in line."

"You're as bad as he's always said you were," Julie retorted. "Trying to make him go be a healer like you. Why don't you let him decide what to do with his own future. It's not yours."

"And its not yours, either," Draco said, grabbing her arm again. "This little relationship of yours is going to stop and its going to stop today."

"Let me go!" Julie tried to pull away but his grip was much stronger this time.

"Listen here you filthy little Mudblood," Draco said through clenched teeth. "You stay away from my son or you'll regret it. And if you think I'm joking, I'm more than willing to prove to you I'm not."

He smiled down at her. "Your little brother...he likes to go swimming, doesn't he? I've seen him down at the lake quite a bit."

"You leave my brother alone," Julie's green eyes were dark with anger.

"And he likes to fly, too, doesn't he?" Draco said, a gleam in his eye.

"What has that got to do with anything?" Julie was still trying to pull away.

"Nothing," Draco said. "But I want you to realise that if you don't stay away from my son, bad things could happen. That's all. Do you understand?"

"Don't you dare threaten my brother," Julie said scathingly.

"I think I just did," Draco said sarcastically.

"What the HELL is going on here?" Nick had seen his father and Julie from a ways down the path. He strode towards them, his eyes dark.

Draco released his grip on Julie's arm and smiled at his son. "Your girlfriend and I were just having a friendly chat, Nicholas. Weren't we, Julie?"

"No," Julie rubbed her arm, where a rather large bruise was already forming.

"What did you say to her?" Nick asked his father.

"He's trying to threaten Ethan," Julie answered before Draco could. "If we don’t stop seeing each other."

Draco laughed. "I didn't threaten the little kid. I just was advising Julie that she should keep a better eye on her brother."

"Why don't you just leave people alone?" Nick asked, coming up next to Julie.

"Look," Draco said losing his patience. "Your mother and I have put up with just about enough from you, Nicholas. We let you go forward with that music nonsense to get it out of your system. Playtime is over, Nicholas. You have a future. And that future doesn't involve this...filthy, little..."

"Don't you dare say it," Nick's eyes had almost darkened to black.

Draco nodded. "Filthy, little mud-"

Nick pushed back on his father's shoulders, nearly sending him sprawling onto the ground. "Damn you," he hissed. "Why can't you leave me alone? Why do you have to ruin everything?"

Draco steadied himself and the look on his face was like nothing Nick had ever seen before. Before he or Julie could say or do anything, Draco had hit Nick square in the mouth.

"DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!" Draco yelled at him.

"Fuck you!" Nick shouted back, holding his hand to his face. "I HATE YOU!"

Julie put a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Let's just go, Nick. Please?"

"Fine," Nick replied, blood dripping under his hand. "Stay away from me," he said to his father.

Draco gave them both one last menacing look before stalking away toward his cabin.

Julie winced as she looked at Nick's lip. "Come on, let's get you back to my cabin."

"What a bastard," Nick said furiously. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," Julie said, rubbing her arm. "He just bruised my arm a bit. He was making all these threats about me and my brother...I need to tell my dad."

"I can't believe him," Nick said, still holding his lip.

"Well, at least the cat's out of the bag now, eh?" Julie asked, trying to make him smile.

He only shook his head. "They're planning something, I can tell."

"You think?" Julie asked, bringing his hand down so she could get a better look at his lip. "Come on, Nick. Let's go back to my cabin. My parents should be there. I need to tell them about what just happened and we need to get you cleaned up."

"Okay," he muttered.

Meanwhile in the Potter cabin, Hermione was trying unsuccessfully to read over some reports but Harry was making goofy faces at her trying to distract her.

"Come on, Hermione," he said. "We only have two days left here and you're sitting here on the sofa...reading. You can do that when we get home."

"We can also do THAT when we get home," she said, biting her lower lip so she wouldn't start laughing.

"Yes, well," Harry said, scooting closer to her on the sofa. "We could do THAT here...and we could do THAT there, too."

Hermione shook her head. "You're incorrigible Harry."

He winked at her. "But that's what you love about me, isn't it?"

"Of course it is," Hermione set her reports aside.

"Works like a charm every time," Harry said smugly, pulling her closer for a kiss.

Hermione relaxed against him as they kissed, her hands moving over his shoulders and into his messy hair.

"Mum! Dad!" Julie's voice came from outside.

Harry and Hermione jumped apart. "What is it Jules?" Harry called back.

Julie swung open the front door and walked inside, followed by Nick. Hermione saw the blood on his hands and his lip. "What happened?"

"We had a run in with his dad," Julie replied.

Hermione noticed the bruise on Julie's arm. "Sweetheart, did Malfoy do this to you?"

"Yes," she replied in a small voice. "He threatened Ethan too. Said if I didn't stay away from Nick he'd do something to him."

"HE DID WHAT!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Who did what?" Ron was standing in the doorway. He saw his nephew and his eyes narrowed.

"I had a run in with my dad's fist," Nick answered. "It's not as bad as it looks, Uncle Ron."

"No Nick it is," Ron replied.

"He threatened Ethan too," Hermione replied.

"That's not all, Dad," Julie said quietly. She'd been reluctant to bring this up because it was a painful memory in her family's history. "He...he sort of implied that....well, that he might have had something to do with that kidnapping attempt."

Harry's face set in a frown. "Come on," he said to his wife and Ron. "It's about time we go had a talk with our old FRIEND." he looked at Nick. "I'm sorry about this," he said.

"It's not your fault, Mr. Potter," Nick said. "I'm sorry that you all had to get dragged into this."

"I'll help you clean this up," Julie said to him.

"Ethan's in his room kipping," Hermione told her daughter. "Don't tell him about any of this, okay?"

"We won't," Julie promised.

Hermione nodded and followed her husband out of the cabin. He and Ron were nearly running.

"Wait up!" Hermione called out to them.

Harry barely heard his wife as he strode towards the Malfoys' cabin. He was seeing red- how DARE Malfoy threaten his son?

"He's gone too far this time," Ron said shaking his head. "Hitting his own son....I'm going to kill him, Harry."

"Get in line," Harry said. "If he really had anything to do with Julie almost being taken when she was younger I'll hex him before stringing him up and pulling him apart limb by limb."

Hermione wanted to be the voice of reason and remind them that they couldn't go in there and beat Malfoy to within an inch of his life, but she couldn't tell them that when that was exactly what she wanted to do. Malfoy had crossed a line when he'd threatened her children.

Harry banged roughly on the door when they reached the cabin.

Ginny opened the door and smiled sweetly at him.

"Hello, Harry. What brings you by?"

"Where is your husband?" he asked without prelude. Hermione stepped up on the side of him, Ron behind her.

"In the shower," Ginny answered. "I was about to join him when I heard you banging on our front door."

"Get him out," Harry snapped. "I want to have a word with him."

"I don't like your tone," Ginny retorted.

She tried to close the door, but Harry blocked her. "Get your husband, now."

Ron glared at his sister. "Get him Gin. We'll break down the bloody door if we have to."

Draco came out of the bathroom, wearing a pair on pyjama bottoms. His hair was still damp from his shower and he grinned when he saw Ron, Hermione and Harry standing in the doorway.

"I was wondering how look it would take for you three to show up," Draco said calmly.

"How dare you hit your son?" Ron charged in immediately.

"What I do with my son is not your concern, Weasel," Draco said, laughing as Ron got in his face. "He's my son, not yours."

"At least I care about him," Ron snapped.

Harry held his wand out directly in Draco's face. "You threatened my son," he said coldly. "And you implied you had something to do with my daughter's kidnapping when she was a child."

"I never threatened your son," Draco said, trying not to act as if he was scared. "And I certainly didn't have anything to do with your tart daughter's kidnapping. I've been in Australia, dumbass."

"Don’t' you call her a tart," Harry pointed his wand between Draco's eyes.

"Surely you know she's been shagging my son," Draco said icily. "Seems she's about as easy as your wife was. How long did it take for her to spread her legs for you, Potter?"

"You," Hermione was speechless. "You bastard!"

"You shut up!" Ginny said, pushing Hermione back. "You can't talk to my husband like that."

"You stay out of my way," Hermione said coldly. "I'd have absolutely no problems hexing you right now if you don't watch yourself."

"You're the Minister for Magic," Ginny said. "You wouldn't want to end up in the papers...again, would you?"

Before Hermione realised what she was doing, her fist had connected with Ginny's left eye. "You leave me and my family out of your stupid gossip column," she hissed angrily.

"Good one, Hermione!" Ron said admiringly.

"Such loyalty you have to your family Ron," Ginny snapped, holding her hand over her eye.

"That's rich," Ron said coldly. "Sounds to me like a pot-kettle issue, don't you think?"

Draco sneered at them. "Get out of here," he snapped. "Before I have you all arrested for trespassing."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by the neck. "Listen to me, you son-of-a-bitch. You leave my children alone."

"Or you'll do what?" Draco countered. "Kill me? Just because you're Harry Potter you think you can get off easily?"

"We can certainly get YOU into some trouble for threatening minors," Hermione replied icily.

"Get out of my cabin," Draco said, struggling to get out of Harry's grasp. "And take your Mudblood wife with you."

"Don't you call her a Mudblood," Harry squeezed Malfoy's neck, his eyes almost glowing.

"Let him go!" Ginny yelled at him. "You're hurting him!"

"And I'm going to hurt you if you don't shut up," Hermione said angrily.

"Look, Potter," Draco said weakly. "I didn't have anything do with your daughter's kidnapping. I could care less about you and your fucking family, okay? I just want her to stay away from my son. That's all."

"Why do you bloody care what he does?" Ron asked furiously.

"Why do you?" Draco countered. "He's not your son. No one in your bloody family cared one jot about him until he got here. If you were so all fired up to see him, why didn't you drag your sorry arse to Sydney?"

"WE DO CARE ABOUT HIM!" Ron roared. "My mother has sent him birthday and Christmas cards for his whole fucking life!"

"WHAT?" Draco asked, looking over at his wife. "What's this about, Red?"

Ginny's face was red. "Nothing," she replied stonily. "Nothing at all."

"I guess she neglected to mention that," Ron said glaring at his sister. "And I imagine she also forgot to tell you how she came to our cabin to meet my Mum when she brought Maddie and R.J."

"What is this, your family bonding experience Red?" Draco glared at his wife.

"I hadn't seen her in years," Ginny said quietly. "I wanted to see her. What's so wrong about that?"

"So badly that you had to run in and out and hurt her even more?" Ron asked coolly.

"This isn't about me," Ginny said hotly. "This is about the three of you barging in here!"

"Only after you threatened our children," Harry snapped.

"Why would we care about your brats?" Ginny retorted. "We have enough trouble with our own."

"You didn't care about him until you got here and saw that he was socializing with us," Ron replied. "Don't give me that bullshit like you actually care about him. You come first in your life Ginny. Then Draco. I don't think Nick even comes above your job, or excuse me, your socialite status."

"GET OUT!" Ginny said, walking over to the front door and holding it open. "NOW!"

Harry gave Malfoy's neck one more squeeze. "You come NEAR either one of my kids I'll kill you," he said darkly. "I faced down Voldemort I am NOT afraid of you."

"Oooooh," Draco said, rolling his eyes.

Harry shoved him backwards. "Don't tempt me," he snapped.

"Come on, Harry," Hermione said. "Let's go."

"You're not worth it," Harry said to both Draco and Ginny.

"You both don't deserve a son like Nick," Ron said as he was in the doorway. "You don't know how lucky you both are to have a good kid like him."

"Whatever,” Ginny said, slamming the door in their faces.

"That bitch," Hermione curled her hand into a fist. "I want to blacken her other eye."

"That was brilliant, Hermione," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm sorry Ron, I don't understand how you can be related to her."

"I'm thinking she may have been adopted," Ron said only half-joking. "You throw quite a punch, Hermione. I think we should have just left her in the room with Malfoy."

"I'll go back," Hermione glared back at the cabin. "I'd love to punch that look off his face."

"We'll keep that as Plan B," Harry said. "Come on, I want to go and check on the kids. Make sure they're okay."

"Do you think he had something do with what happened to Julie when she was a baby?" Hermione asked. "Or do you think he was just trying to get a rise out of us?"

"I think he was just trying to bait us," Harry replied. "He was right about one thing- he was in Australia. And the people who tried taking Julie were dead set followers of Voldemort. To give the devil his due, Malfoy didn't take the road of his father."

"Yes, well he still threatened Ethan," Hermione said. "If he hurts one hair on Ethan's head..."

"I'll kill him," Harry said immediately.

"I'll help you," Ron volunteered.

Harry shook his head. "He's a thorn in our side. Always has been."

"It looks as if you got Ginny in trouble," Hermione said to Ron as they made their way back. "I don't think dear old Draco knew about Molly's cards and he certainly didn't know about her going to see her."

"Well that's her problem then," Ron said roughly. "If she was honest with him from the start she wouldn't be so unhappy."

"Ginny-honest?" Harry asked sarcastically. "That's not likely to ever happen."

"Not now it isn't," Ron replied.

Hermione stopped in her tracks, suddenly feeling a little dizzy.

"What is it?" Harry looked back at his wife, who suddenly had gone quite pale.

"Nothing," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I just got a little light-headed for a moment."

"It's probably the heat," Harry replied. "Let's go back and get you something to drink."

Hermione nodded and gave him a weak smile. "You're probably right."

Harry put an arm around her waist. "Ron you coming back with us for a bit?"

"If you don't mind," Ron said. "I'd like to check on Nick."

"I'm sure Julie's helped him clean up," Hermione said. "I hope Ethan didn't see his lip all split up."

"You and me both," Harry said, as they walked up the steps to the cabin. When they walked inside, Hermione saw Nick and Julie curled up on the sofa together, both fast asleep. Nick's lip was completely healed.

Ron smiled. "Looks like he's feeling better."

Hermione nodded. "I think I'm going to lie down, too."

"I'll get you some water," Harry said.

Hermione pecked Ron on the cheek and headed off for her bedroom. Ron looked at his nephew and hoped that he wouldn't have to endure much more from his dreadful parents.

"I'm going to go," Ron whispered to Harry. "If he wakes up, will you tell him that if he needs to talk, he knows where I am?"

"Sure mate," Harry replied. "I'll see you later."

"I hope Hermione feels better," Ron said quietly heading for the door.

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Harry said. "I think she's just been outside and the heat got to her."

Ron nodded and with a quick goodbye left the cabin.

Harry looked at his daughter curled up in Nick's arms and smiled. He remembered being like that with Hermione when they were here at Hillsdale before.

"Hi, Dad," Ethan said groggily, coming out of his bedroom.

"Hey," Harry smiled at his son. "Have a good kip?"

Ethan nodded and looked at Nick and Julie on the couch. "What's Nick doing here?" he whispered.

"Sleeping," Harry replied with a grin.

Ethan nodded and looked around the room. "Where'd Mum go?"

"Bed," Harry replied. "Why don't you bring this to her?" he filled a glass with tap water and handed it to his son.

Ethan took the glass from his dad and walked toward his parents' bedroom. Hermione was lying down on the bed, hugging a pillow.

"Mum," Ethan said softly. "You don't look too good."

"Hey sweetheart," Hermione sat up. "I really don't feel so great right now."

"Dad said to bring you this," Ethan said, setting the glass of water on the bedside table. Gingerly, he sat down on the bed beside her. "I could read to you like you do to me when I'm sick."

"I'd love for you to read to me," Hermione patted the spot next to her. "Thank you love." she hugged him to her for a moment.

"I love you, Mum," Ethan said, hugging her back. "I don't like it when you don't feel well."

"I love you too," Hermione kissed his forehead. "I don't like it either, but having you here makes me feel better already."

"I'll go and get a book," Ethan said smiling at her as he walked out of the room. He grinned at his dad who'd watched the whole scene from the doorway.

"That's a great kid we have," Hermione said, sharing a smile with her husband.

"Aye," Harry replied. "Two great kids. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Hermione reached for her glass of water and took a long sip. She wasn't feeling as dizzy, but she still felt a little queasy.

"Anything else I can get you?" Harry asked softly, brushing a strand of hair off her forehead.

"No," she said softly. "I just think I needed to rest. We've been staying up late and I think that and the heat just got to me."

"Right," Harry said. "We'll call it an early night tonight... we've got a bit of a drive ahead of us in the next few days."

"At least Lav won't be with us," Hermione teased. "We won't have to suffer through her off-key singing, right?"

"Exactly," Harry chuckled.

"Okay, Mum," Ethan said, coming back into the bedroom. He was carrying at least ten books in his hands. "I couldn't decide so I brought all my favourites."

"That's my boy," Hermione laughed as she propped a few pillows behind her back.

"I'll understand if you go to sleep while I'm reading," Ethan said, settling in beside her.

"That's what you do all the time," Hermione teased as he opened the first book.

"I'll leave you to it," Harry said.

"Thank you, Harry," Hermione said softly to her husband. She didn't have to say for what. He already knew.

20. The Space Between

Authors' Note: Thanks to everyone for continuing to read and review. We both appreciate it very much and even managed to respond to some reviews this time around. The consensus is that you guys are really happy that Lavender and Seamus have reunited and that Allie and Jon made up. A couple of you have expressed concern about how fast Julie/Nick's relationship has progressed. What can we say? Hillsdale is a magical place (no pun intended).

And you all seem to be wondering what is wrong with Hermione...you will find out soon. As always please let us know what you think !

The Space Between – Dave Matthews Band

Take my hand

'Cause we're walking out of here

Oh, right out of here

Love is all we need here

The Space Between

What's wrong and right

Is where you'll find me hiding, waiting for you

The Space Between

Your heart and mine

Is the space we'll fill with time

The Space Between...

It was dark when Julie opened her eyes. After she'd fixed up Nick's lip he'd told her he was tired, and she had just planned on lying with him while he slept but once her head was on his chest she'd been out. Looking at her watch, she saw it was nearly half past ten. The cabin was quiet and she figured everyone must be asleep by now.

"Nick," she shook him gently.

He woke up and gave her a sleepy smile. "This is new for us. Sleeping on something besides the ground, eh?"

"Right," Julie gave him a little kiss. "How's your lip?"

"Better," Nick replied. "And how's your arm?"

"It's fine," she pushed up her sleeve. "Bruise is gone."

"Good," he said, pulling her close. "How old were you? When it happened...that kidnapping attempt?"

"I was around a year old," Julie replied, laying her head down on his chest again. "So I don't remember any of it."

"But they must have told you about it," Nick said gently. He didn't want to press her about it, but he was curious.

Julie shrugged. "My parents don't really like talking about it, but what happened was when I was out with my mum one day on a walk, I was hexed. They didn't know it until a few days later when I started showing signs of the curse the person put on me. So they brought me to St. Mungos and while I was there, someone posed as a mediwizard and tried sneaking me out of the hospital."

"How'd they catch them?" Nick asked.

"They didn't," Julie said. "I guess about five minutes or so after I was taken, my parents saw that I was missing. They raised an alarm and then about a half hour after that I was found down in one of the loos in the basement- whoever it was that had me obviously knew they were going to be found out so they left me."

"Your parents must have been scared to death," Nick said, running his hand up and down her back reassuringly.

"They were," Julie nodded. "Mum was hysterical and Dad wasn't much better."

"My parents probably wouldn't have batted an eyelash if someone had tried to run off with me," Nick said dryly.

"I'm sorry," Julie said softly, raising her head up to look at him.

"When I was a kid, I used to want their attention so much," Nick said with a hollow laugh. "I wanted my Mum to take five minutes out of her schedule to read me a story. She just brushed me off every single time. And my dad, he was never home. He spent all his time at the hospital and when he wasn't there, he'd take Mum somewhere on holiday. They never took me with them, not once."

Julie kissed his cheek. "And now that you want them to ignore you they won't," she said wryly.

"Yeah," Nick said. "There was this one time when I was seven and I thought that if they believed I'd ran away, they'd feel really bad for ignoring me. I waited until after my dad left for work and I holed up in my mum's closet behind her clothes. I stayed there all night, Julie. They didn't even know I was gone. They didn't care."

A determined look came over his handsome features. "If I ever have kids, I'm not going to treat them like that. I want to be like your dad is with you and Ethan."

"I'm sure you will be," Julie replied. "You're already different than your parents in the fact that you care."

"How do you do that?" Nick asked her, touching her cheek. "Make me think that everything will be okay?"

Julie smiled. "I don't know," she replied. "I love you, so maybe that's it."

He grinned back at her. "Tomorrow I think I'm going to go and get my things and stay with Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna until its time to go. You don't think they'd mind if I crashed with them until then, do you?"

"I doubt it," she replied. "We're leaving in the late afternoon."

Nick relaxed and enjoyed the peace and quiet. He didn't think he'd ever see his parents again after this holiday and he didn't care one way or the other.

"Come on," Julie pushed herself up. "Let's go in my bedroom."

"What about your parents?" Nick whispered.

"I'll lock the door," she whispered back.

Nick followed her into her bedroom and laughed when he saw the small twin bed in the middle of the room. "I guess we'll be in close quarters, eh?"

"Something tells me you won't mind too much," Julie said.

"No," Nick said with a grin. "Not at all."

"Right," Julie pulled him close and kissed him.

Nick decided to forget about the problems with his parents and the incident from this afternoon. He walked her backwards toward the bed without breaking the kiss.

She fell on top of the cover, keeping him close. Their mouths didn't break apart as Julie laid her head on the pillow, Nick's hands going under her shirt.

"What about your parents?" Nick asked her breathlessly.

"We'll be really quiet," Julie said, arching her back as he pulled her shirt over her head.

Nick had his doubts, but they quickly faded away when she started planting kisses on his neck.

"Nick I need you tonight," she said softly, moving her mouth back up to his. "Please..."

It was all the invitation Nick needed and he snaked a hand around her back to unclasp her bra.

She helped him pull it off as she tugged up on his shirt. Raking her nails over his skin, Julie was pleased to feel him shudder.

"I love you, Julie," he breathed before kissing her again. He said a silent prayer that her parents and brother were heavy sleepers.

"I love you too Nick," she whimpered quietly as he began to press kisses down her body.

Several excruciating moments passed for Julie and her fingers slinked up and furrowed into his hair. He worked his way back up to her mouth and smiled down at her.

"Please," she said again, ready for him to bury himself inside her.

Julie wrapped her legs around his hips as they exchanged long, slow kisses.

She arched herself again as he began to push into her. Nick concentrated on her face as he did this, staring into her green eyes.

"Quiet now," he said softly.

"I know," she whispered back. "Kiss me."

Nick did as he was told and kissed her, infusing all the love he felt for her in that one kiss.

Julie literally felt as if she was flying, and she clutched onto Nick's shoulders as they began to move together. She gasped into his mouth, trying to keep her moans quiet.

It was taking everything Nick had not to scream out her name and he buried his face in her shoulder.

Julie let out a cry and Nick crashed his mouth back to hers to muffle it. "Merlin...." she said as a tear leaked out of her eye.

Nick shuddered and collapsed against her, amazed that they'd both managed to keep quiet. He looked down at her. "I love you, Julie Potter. Don't ever doubt that."

"I won't," she said softly, bringing her lips back to his for a soft kiss.

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. "Different in a bed, isn't it?" he teased as he closed his eyes.

"Maybe just a bit," Julie allowed herself to relax in his embrace. "I'm so glad it's been with you."

Nick smiled sleepily at her. "Me too."

"Wait..." Julie said as her eyes were about to shut. "We should get dressed again... just in case."

Nick's eyes shot open. "Yeah, good idea. I can just imagine what your dad would do to me if he saw us like this."

"Probably nothing very nice," Julie giggled as she slid her knickers back on.

Nick reached for his boxer shorts and t-shirt on the floor. "Your dad took on Voldemort, for Merlin's sake, Julie. I don't think he'd have trouble reducing me to dust. And my Uncle Ron said that I never want to make your Mum mad. He said it isn't very pretty."

"No, she can be a bit terrifying when she's mad," Julie replied. "That's why she makes such a great Minister."

"I find it hard to believe that you'd have done anything to get your Mum mad," Nick said, as they settled back down on the bed, fully clothed.

"When I was younger maybe," Julie pulled her shirt over her head. "But as I got older, she almost became like a friend you know? I can go to her with any troubles I have, and she doesn't judge me, she listens. I couldn't ask for a better mum."

"Well when it comes to Ginny Malfoy, I think I could ask for a better mum," Nick said with a laugh. "Why the two of them ever have a kid is beyond me. Truth be told, I think I wasn't planned. Mum's never come out and said it, but I think that's why she and Dad got married."

Julie put a hand on his arm. "At least they gave you Greta," she said softly.

"That's true," Nick admitted. "At least there's that. I don't know what I'd have done without her. Probably been just like dear old Dad, I guess."

Julie shuddered at the thought. "But you're not... so there's no use worrying about it."

"Yeah," Nick said thoughtfully. "We, um, should probably get some sleep. We've a big day ahead of us tomorrow, right?"

"I suppose," Julie said. "I was about to fall asleep until we got up to get dressed."

"So was I," Nick said, pulling the covers over them. "Good night, Jules."

"Good night Nick," she turned off the light and moved over into his arms.

Nick's last thoughts as he drifted off to sleep that tomorrow he would finally be free of his parents. He wouldn't have to do what they said anymore. He'd be able to live the kind of life he wanted to live and he'd be able to live it with Julie.

*** *** ***

The next morning, theLongbottom family was eating breakfast in the restaurant. Ron's family was supposed to join them, but as usual they were running a little late. Allison keptchecking the door to see if they'd arrived and she'dlooked overher shoulder so much Chiakiteasedthat she'd get whiplash.

"I can't believe the holiday is coming to an end," Chiaki said conversationally to her mother. "It seems like just yesterday we arrived."

"I don't want to go," Allison said glumly. She hadn't touched her food.

"You just don't want to go home because you won't be able to see your BOY friend anymore," Frankie sing songed.

Allison glared at her younger sister. "I don't remember asking your opinion, Francesca."

"Frankie," Chiaki leaned on her arm. "Remember this moment about three or four years from now when you're finally allowed to date. Payback is sweet and Allison and I will be armed and ready."

"That's so not fair!" Frankie said, leaning back in her chair and folding her arms.

"That's not fair," Allison and Chiaki said together in the same tone as Frankie.

Frankie stuck her tongue out at her sisters.

"Oh that's very mature," Allison said with a grin.

"Girls!" Neville said, raising his voice. "Can we please have some peace and quiet?"

"I don't think so, Dad," Chiaki said, trying not to laugh. "The Weasleys have just arrived."

"Great," Neville mumbled. It wasn't that he was unhappy to see his friends and their children, but he was tired, he had a slight headache, and he was most definitely not looking forward to going back to work.

"Hey Al," Jon grinned at her.

"Hi," Allison said beaming back at him. She looked at Frankie. "Frankie, would you mind scooting down so Jon can sit beside me?"

Frankie scoffed. "No way," she replied.

"Francesca," Allison said, knowing her sister hated being called by her full name.

"Mum!" Frankie said, looking at Cho. "Why do I have to move? I was here first!"

"Frankie, be nice and let Allison sit by her boyfriend," Cho replied.

"Fine," Frankie said getting to her feet and walking around the table. She sat down beside Chiaki, who put an arm around her.

"It's not fair," Frankie pouted.

"It never is," Chiaki said. "But you'll get to do this to Maddie and Ethan in a few years." she grinned.

"What are you thinking about having Daddy?" Maddie said, sitting in Ron's lap as they both looked over the menu.

"Everything on the left hand side of the menu," Ron replied teasingly. "What about you sweetheart."

"That's a lot of food, Daddy," Maddie said laughing.

"You're going to help me right?" Ron kissed his daughter's cheek.

"Of course," Maddie said, hugging him around the neck.

"That's my girl," Ron said. "And I promise not to touch your chocolate chip muffin."

"What time are you lot leaving?" Cho asked Luna. "We were thinking of going right after lunch."

"Actually," Luna said. "Harry and Hermione invited us to stay at their place until the party. So we're going back with them."

Allison had been taking a sip of her orange juice when she heard Luna's response. She choked on her juice and Josh stifled a laugh as Jon patted her on the back.

"Sorry," Allison said, blushing. "But did you say you were staying in London?"

"Yup," Jon grinned at her. "For the next two weeks."

Allison squealed and hugged him. "I thought I wouldn't see you until we went back to school!"

Josh smiled at his brother, the jealousy that he'd once felt nonexistent. He was happy that Allison and Jon were together.

"And you heard that Anna and Luke are coming to Julie's party," Luna said to Cho. "It's going to be so great to see them again."

"Yes it will," Cho agreed. "I've missed them since they moved away."

"Lizzy's super smart," Frankie said. "She tutored me last year."

"She's a Ravenclaw," Allison replied. "Of course she's smart."

"I know," Frankie said, rolling her eyes. "I was just saying..."

"Girls," Neville said, rubbing his temple. "Peace and quiet, remember?"

"Right Dad," Allison mumbled. She smiled ruefully at Jon. "Poor Dad's got a headache."

Jon smiled sympathetically at Neville. "I hope you feel better, Mr. Longbottom."

"Oh, he's Mr. Longbottom now?" Josh teased.

"Sod off Josh," Jon said.

"Yeah, sod off!" Maddie nodded from her seat on Ron's lap.

Luna glared at Jon.

Ron covered Maddie's ears with his hands. "Let the record show that it wasn't me corrupting our daughter this time."

"Sorry Mum," Jon apologised, his face red. "Maddie, don't say that okay?"

"You say it all the time, Jon," Maddie reminded him. "And so does Josh."

"Oh do you now?" Luna asked.

Both twins were bright red.

"Maddie, this goes along with saying the W word," Ron said. "We don't talk like that right?"

"But you do, Daddy," Maddie said. She looked at Luna with wide eyes. "Daddy said loads of bad words yesterday when he came back from visiting with Uncle Harry. Didn't he, Mummy?"

Ron caught Cho's eye and mouthed the word Malfoy to her. "But little girls do not talk like that," he said, trying to stay patient.

"But I'm a big girl, Daddy," Maddie said grinning shyly at him. "You said so yourself this morning."

Luna laughed. "Having a bit of trouble are you, Ron?"

"I don't see you helping," Ron retorted.

"Come here, Maddie," Luna said, smiling at her daughter.

Maddie hopped off her father's lap and climbed onto her mother's.

"You are a big girl, sweetheart," Luna said softly. "And big girls should know better than to say bad words like that."

Maddie nodded. "Okay Mummy. I'll be a good big girl."

As Maddie hugged her mother, Luna grinned smugly at her husband. "And that, Ronald, is how you do it."

"Bloody hell," Ron muttered under his breath. "I just can't win."

Maddie gasped and whispered in Luna's ear.

"That's right, Maddie," Luna said, nodding. "That's a bad word, too. What do you think? Should we send Daddy back to the cabin without any breakfast?"

Ron's face was so red it was nearly purple.

"Only if he steals my chocolate chip muffins Mummy," Maddie said decisively.

"Look at your dad and my dad," Jon whispered to Allison. "They look like they're about ready to explode."

Allison giggled. "Your dad looks worse for wear though... I've never seen anyone turn so red."

"You should have seen him last night when he got back from visiting with my Aunt Ginny," Jon said. "This is nothing compared to that."

"What happened?" she asked in a hushed voice.

Jon scooted closer so no one else could hear them, namely Frankie who was nearly straining herself across the table to hear.

"Apparently Nick's dad threatened Julie and Ethan," Jon whispered. "Julie's dad and my dad went over there with aunt Hermione to confront them."

Allison's eyes widened and she kept her reaction to herself. "That's mad," she whispered back. "How stupid can Nick's parents be? And what happened to him?"

"His dad gave him a fat lip, I think," Jon said. "Josh and I were trying to listen, but Mum took Dad outside and that's all I know."

"I can't believe that," Allison whispered back. "Don't you hate it when they leave right at the good stuff?"

Jon nodded. "They always do that, don't they?"

"Always," Allison said as her father stood up.

"I think I'll go back to the cabin and lie down before we have to leave," he said tiredly. "I'll see you all later..."

"Mum?" Chiaki asked, watching as Neville walked out of the restaurant. "Is he okay? He didn't look too good."

"He's got a migraine I think," Cho stood up as well. "I'm going back with him. You girls make sure you're back soon- I want to make sure you're all packed."

"At least we know you're not the reason for the headache, right Jon?" Josh teased. He was enjoying the fact that he could now give Jon a taste of his own medicine.

"Funny," Jon replied, sliding his arm over the back of Allison's chair. "You're a regular riot Josh."

"Aunt Luna," Chiaki said, looking at Maddie who was now nibbling on a chocolate chip muffin. "I was wondering if Miss Madeline here would like to be in my wedding."

Maddie stared at her with wide eyes. "I can be in your wedding?"

"As the flower girl," Chiaki said, pinching Maddie's nose. "As long as you promise not to show me up on my wedding day, of course."

Luna laughed. "You might have your work cut out for you Chiaki. She's quite a little show stopper."

"Hey, Maddie?" Allison asked, leaning in. "Tell Chiaki that you don't like orange. She's going to make all of us wear this awful orange colour...."

"Yeah," Frankie chimed in. "Orange is so ugly."

"I like pink," Maddie said, nodding.

"See, Chi?" Allison said, grinning at Maddie. "We all like pink. You're the only one who likes orange."

"Jon, don't you think Allison would look pretty in orange?" Chiaki asked him.

"Uh..." Jon looked back and forth between his girlfriend and Chiaki. "I'm staying out of this one."

"Pink goes with my hair," Maddie tossed her blonde curls in a perfect imitation of Frankie.

Everyone laughed, even Ron at this.

"Well, I guess pink is the popular choice," Chiaki said laughing. "Okay. Okay. I give up. Pink it is."

Allison clapped. "We did it!" she grinned at her sister. "Thank you Maddie!"

"No one can turn her down," Jon said grinning.

"Especially my daddy," Maddie announced proudly.

"She has me wrapped around her little finger," Ron admitted. "Just like her mother, Darla and Drew."

"What about us?" Jon asked, sharing a look with his brother.

"You two drive me crazy," Ron said with a sly grin.

"Thanks a lot Dad," Josh said.

Ron grinned. "You're welcome, son."

"I see how we're appreciated," Jon said. "Good to know someone does," he grinned at Allison.

Allison beamed back at him and squeezed his hand under the table.

"Want to go for a walk?" he asked quietly.

"I'd love to," Allison said. "You don't mind, do you, Mr. Weasley?"

Ron laughed. "Allison, you've never in your life called me Mr. Weasley. You call me that and I want to turn around and see where my dad is."

"Sorry," Allison blushed. "Uncle Ron."

"Come on, Al," Jon said, laughing.

Frankie pouted again as Allison and Jon left. "I want to go on a walk with a boy!" she cried.

"You could always take a walk with R.J.," Chiaki offered.

"That's not funny," Frankie glowered.

"Can I just tell you how happy I am that you're staying in London for two weeks?" Allison asked as they walked away from the restaurant.

Jon smiled "So am I, Al. I wasn't looking forward to spending the next two weeks moping around my room."

"I would have missed you a lot," Allison said. "After that we only have a few weeks until we go to school."

"I know," Jon said, taking her hand. "I still can't believe that you and me are together. I never in a million years thought you'd ever fancy me, Al."

"Why's that?" Allison asked, winding her arms around him.

Jon blushed. "Well, I've always been a bit of a goof off, haven't I? Do you know when you used to be studying in the common room and I'd come in and be all loud and obnoxious about something...I was trying to get your attention. You must have thought I was the biggest idiot."

Allison laughed. "Well... maybe just a little bit. That was when I thought Josh was the one for me... and now it's just you Jon."

"It's always been you for me, Allie," Jon said, touching her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you," she returned shyly, leaning in as he touched his lips to hers.

When they pulled apart, they both had goofy grins on their faces.

"Wow," Jon whispered.

"I know," she giggled a bit. "I can't wait to get back to school and tell everyone you're my boyfriend."

"If Frankie doesn't do it, first," Jon teased.

"I might have to put a silencing charm on her," Allison said. "It's a good thing I have loads of blackmail on her."

"Like what?" Jon asked intrigued.

"Like her spying on the boys in the loo..." Allison grinned. "The rest of it, I'm afraid I'm sworn to secrecy."

"I know some stuff about Josh, too," Jon said with a mischievous grin. "And Drew and Darla, too. But you won't be getting it out of me, Allison Longbottom."

"I wasn't going to ask," Allison leaned in again and brushed her lips over his.

Jon pulled her close and deepened the kiss.

She threw all caution to the wind and wound her arms around his neck, pressing her body against his.

"It's too bad we're not staying with your family instead," Jon said in between kisses.

Allison laughed, her fingers delving into his hair. "I highly doubt my dad would allow that with our current... situation..." she kissed him again.

"I really, really," Jon began, kissing her neck. "Like our situation."

"I love our situation," Allison breathed out as his tongue flicked at her skin. "Do that again," she hissed.

Jon grinned and did as he was told; pulling her even closer.

"Mmm..." Allison kissed him as hard as she could. "Who knows when we'll get to do this again..."

“Tomorrow," Jon said huskily. "And the next day, and the next day..."

"I'm sure we'll find some place in the Potter's mansion to hide in," she giggled.

"I hope so," Jon said, leaning in for another kiss, but he saw his family coming toward them. "Just when we were getting to the good part."

"As always," she whispered. "We'll find a private place when we get back to London."

"With the family we both have I wonder if that's possible," Jon said grinning at her.

"We'll figure something out," she said.

"I thought you two were going for a walk," Ron said.

"We did," Jon answered. He was still holding Allison's hand. "We just stopped for a minute."

"For a minute?" Ron grinned. "Looks to me like you've both been here for several minutes."

"Ron!" Luna said.

"Well, it does," Ron said sheepishly.

Allison blushed and was relieved to see that Josh didn't seem upset to come upon them like this. "I should probably go back to my cabin and start packing."

"I'll come by before we all have to leave," Jon promised.

"Okay," Allison said with a shy smile. "I'll see you then."

"Bye Al," he wanted to kiss her goodbye but not in front of his family.

Allison said a polite goodbye to everyone and walked away toward her cabin. Drew and Darla snickered at their brother while a clueless Maddie tugged at Josh's hand.

"Stop now," Jon warned. "Or I'll tell everyone about how you both wet the bed."

"We do not!" Drew and Darla chorused.

"Yes you do," Maddie chimed in innocently.

"Shut up Maddie!" Drew said. "We do not!"

"Remind me why we have six children," Ron asked his wife as a fight broke out among all of the Weasley siblings.

"Because one or both of us is quite fertile," Luna replied. "I know I certainly didn't enjoy pushing all of them out." she nuzzled RJ's soft cheek.

"I don't think anyone in my family is capable of having a small family," Ron observed. "If you'd only known what you were getting yourself into..."

"I knew," Luna smiled at him.

"And you still married me anyway?" Ron asked her with a broad smile. "You must really love me or something, eh?"

"Very much," Luna leaned over and kissed her husband.

"Mum and Dad are at it AGAIN," Darla sighed and a chorus of "Eew!" rose from all 6 of their children.

"Shut it all of you," Ron said, laughing. "And you---Jonathan Arthur Weasley....you were doing the same thing before we walked up so I don't want to hear anything out of you."

"I didn't say anything!" Jon turned red as Drew and Darla began to sing that insufferable song again.

"I think I'm getting Neville's headache," Ron groaned as they made their way slowly back to their cabin.

*** *** ***

Hermione stumbled blindly into the bathroom, her hand held over her mouth. Leaning over the toilet, she tried to keep her retching down. She hadn't felt this sick in a long time.

Harry had heard her get out of bed and at first thought she was going to the loo like she normally did in the mornings, but when he heard her retching he knew something was wrong. He reached for his glasses on the bedside table and put them on.

"Hermione?" he asked, knocking on the door. "Is everything okay?"

"Not really," she answered, sitting back against the wall. "You can come in..." she said as she flushed the toilet.

Harry opened the door and saw his wife leaning against the bathroom wall. Her hair was matted to her head and she looked pale and ashy.

"Hermione, I thought you said you were feeling better last night."

"I was," Hermione croaked. "This morning I feel worse."

Harry knelt down in front of her and touched her forehead. "Can I get you anything? Some water?"

She shook her head. "I don't think I want to put anything in my stomach right now," she moaned weakly.

Harry nodded. It couldn't be the heat that had her this way. She'd spent all last night in a cool environment and had drunk plenty of water. In fact, she'd been fine all day until they'd gone to see...

"That bastard!" Harry exclaimed loudly, startling Hermione.

"What?" Hermione jumped.

"Malfoy," Harry said, standing up. He paced in front of Hermione. "You were perfectly fine until we went over there."

Hermione shrugged. "I guess," she replied, grabbing a towel and mopping off her forehead.

"And I wouldn't put it pass either of them to do something like this," Harry said, shaking his head. "But how could they have done it? I mean we didn't eat or drink anything while we were there..."

"I don't know," Hermione pressed a hand to her stomach as another wave of nausea hit her.

"He's a bloody healer so he probably knew just how to mask it too," Harry continued. Hermione crawled to the toilet and pushed him out of the way as he was blocking her way.

She retched again as Harry still ranted in the background, her own mind spinning with possibilities.

"And if he did have something to do with this," Harry began, but his voice trailed off as he saw his wife getting sick again. "Oh, would you listen to me? Going on and on like this and you're sick...I'm sorry, Hermione."

"Harry..." Hermione said. "I think there's a possibility that-"

Harry nodded. "I know there's a great possibility that the two of them had something do with it, Hermione. But don't you worry; I'll make them regret it...bloody bastard."

"Harry..." Hermione said. "That's not-"

"Okay, okay," Harry said. "You're right...I'm overreacting, but this is low, even for the two of them."

Harry walked toward the door. "I'm going to go and talk to them right-"

"Harry!" Hermione spoke more firmly. "I think there's a chance I'm pregnant."

"...now and see what they have to..." Harry said his hand on the door. "Wait. Did you just say that...pregnant?"

"I don't know for sure," Hermione said, getting up shakily and holding onto the counter. "But this is how it usually starts to show up. Not normally this early though..."

Harry smiled. "You were the same way with both Julie and Ethan. You are, Hermione. I know you are!"

"Harry don't get too excited," Hermione warned. "This is normally too early to show. I just might be sick."

"I know," Harry said, but he couldn't keep the hopeful tone from his voice. After Julie was born, they'd tried so many times to get pregnant again and had been disappointed time and time again---until Ethan.

"When we get back I'll take a test," Hermione said.

"A Muggle one?" Harry teased, remembering that time right after they'd moved in together when he'd been so stubborn about her not taking a Muggle pregnancy test.

"Either or," Hermione said as Harry put his arm around her and helped her back into the bedroom. "Merlin I don't know how I'm going to survive a car ride this afternoon."

"You and Jules could floo back," Harry suggested. "Ethan and I can take the car."

"We'll see how I feel," Hermione said as she got back into bed. "Thank you."

"For what?" Harry asked her. "Ranting like a lunatic while you were sick?"

"No you git for helping me back into bed."

Harry laughed. "You're welcome. So, I guess we wouldn't say anything to anyone until we're sure."

"That's probably a good idea," Hermione lay back. "We don't want the masses spreading more rumours."

"So...what do you want...a boy or a girl?" Harry asked her with a sly grin. "I'm sorry. I just have a very good feeling about this, Hermione."

"Either or," Hermione laughed. "You're going to jinx it. It's going to turn out to be Wizarding Flu again. Like that one time."

"Okay, I am going to try and not get my hopes up," Harry said.

"Good luck" Hermione smiled. "Mine sure are."

"So are mine," Harry said, squeezing her hand. "I was just saying that for your benefit. See, I knew you were excited, too."

She laughed a little. "After we talked about it that one time I can't help but wish I was pregnant again."

"Sans the nausea, swelling, et cetera, right?" Harry asked her. "And the mood swings...I could do without those."

"If am pregnant you'd best brace yourself Potter," Hermione said, lying back on her pillows.

"I can handle it," Harry said. There was a knock on the door.

"Mum? Are you feeling better?" Ethan asked, poking his head around the door.

"Hey little man," Hermione smiled at her son. "Just a little bit. Your reading to me helped a lot yesterday."

Ethan came into the bedroom and plopped down on the bed. "It always helped when you'd read to me."

"I'm glad," Hermione pulled him close and pressed a kiss to the top of his messy head. "Did you just wake up sweetheart?"

Ethan nodded. "It's our last day here. I don't want to go back home."

"Neither do we," Harry said. "Is your sister up yet?"

"Yes," Julie said coming into the bedroom. "I'm up."

She smiled at her mother. "Mum, forgive me for saying this, but you look terrible."

"Thank you love," Hermione said. "I feel terrible."

"Did Nick go back?" Harry asked.

Julie nodded. "He left just a few minutes ago."

"He stayed the whole night?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Julie said, looking away. "That's okay, isn't it?"

Hermione gave her husband a look. "It's fine sweetheart. You're an adult now."

"He couldn't very well go home, could he?" Julie asked, feeling the need to explain herself. She certainly wasn't going to tell her father what had actually happened last night, but she didn't like him thinking badly of her.

"No you're right," Harry said. As much as he didn't like the idea of his baby girl getting serious and settled down, he knew she was right. "It's fine love." he put his arm around her and squeezed her shoulders.

Julie hugged him back. "Thanks, Daddy."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "What's Nick planning on doing now?"

"He was going to go and collect his things," Julie answered. "His parents usually sleep late so he didn't think they'd be awake. He's going to stay at Ron's until its time to go."

"Good," Harry said. "He's a good kid Jules. I like him."

Julie smiled. She suddenly remembered that she had no idea what had happened yesterday afternoon when her parents and Ron went to confront the Malfoys.

"What did you do to them, Dad?" Julie asked.

Harry looked over at Ethan, who rolled his eyes. "More grown up talk that I can't hear, right?"

"Hey Ethan," Julie said. "Nick brought you a present; it's still sitting out there on the table."

Ethan forgot all about not getting to hear the grown-up talk and dashed out of the bedroom.

"That was easy," Julie said with a laugh.

"Basically we went over there and told him if he ever touched either one of you, we'd hurt him," Harry said. "Plus your mum gave Ginny a black eye."

"Mum!" Julie said, covering her mouth. "You didn't, did you?"

Hermione smiled. "I did. She was being horrid, as usual, and it's something I've wanted to do since I met her."

"I wish I could have seen that," Julie said smiling proudly at her mother.

"It was quite fantastic, really," Harry said, giving his wife an admiring glance. "And Ron threatened to kill Malfoy if he hit Nick again."

"Did you ask him about...you know," Julie said, her voice trailing off. "He didn't have anything to do with it, did he?"

"He was just blowing smoke," Harry said gently.

Julie nodded. "I didn't think he had anything to do with it. He just said some horrible things."

"He's a horrible man," Hermione said. "Very unhappy. If he wasn't so rotten to everyone I'd feel sorry for him."

Harry agreed. "He didn't have the best childhood either. I'm not making excuses for him, of course. But, his father treated him much the same way that Draco treats Nick. Very cold, very distant."

"Good thing Nick's different then," Julie said.

"Yes it is," Harry said.

"Mum, are you sure you're okay?" Julie asked.

"I will be," Hermione said, sharing a look with Harry.

Ethan came back into the room carrying a package.

"Look what Nick got me!" Ethan said, throwing the package down on the bed. "He's the best, Jules!"

"What is it?" Julie laughed.

"Broomstick servicing kit," Ethan answered jumping back on the bed.

"Wow!" Julie said. "That IS a nice gift!"

"I might have to borrow that," Harry said, looking into the box.

"Now all I need is a new broom," Ethan glanced slyly at his parents.

"Don't look at me," Hermione said, shaking her head. "If it was up to me, you wouldn't even have a broom."

"Come on Dad," Ethan jumped up and down on the bed. "You know I need a new one."

"Ethan," Hermione said, turning a little green. "Don't jump on the bed, please..."

"Sorry Mum," Ethan flopped down.

"When we get back home, we'll go to Diagon Alley and look around," Harry said. "I could use a new broom, too."

"You have five," Julie reminded him.

"What's your point?" Harry grinned. "I could always use a new one."

"Me too," Ethan said, putting an arm around his father. "Girls just don't understand do they, Dad?"

"I guess not," Harry laughed. "Except Allie. She's the only girl around here that loves to fly as much as we do."

"Aunt Cho used to," Julie said. "She was on her house team, right?"

"A long, long time ago," Harry replied. "She stopped playing Quidditch when we left school."

"I'm going to be on my house team," Ethan said. "Just like Dad."

Julie pulled her brother to her and mussed his hair. "You want to do everything just like Dad."

"So?" Ethan said defensively.

"I'm just kidding with you, little man," Julie said, tickling his side. "I think its great that you want to be like Dad."

"Jules!" Ethan laughed and fell back on the bed.

Hermione was trying valiantly to smile but it was useless. She pushed back the covers and ran for the loo.

"Mum's really sick, isn't she Dad?" Ethan asked.

"She's..." Harry didn't know what to say. "Look you two, I don't want you to get your hopes up and we don't know this yet for sure but-"

"Is Mum pregnant?" Julie gasped her eyes wide.

"Um, well..."

"I'm going to have a baby brother!" Ethan exclaimed jumping on the bed.

"Harry!" Hermione called out weakly from the bathroom. "You weren't supposed to say anything."

"Hey," Harry said. "We don't know this for sure yet. I don't wait either one of you telling ANYONE."

"We won't," Julie promised and Ethan nodded solemnly.

"That's mostly aimed at you," Harry said to his son.

"I won't say anything, Dad," Ethan said seriously. "I promise."

"All right," Harry said. "You okay in there Hermione?"

"Yeah," Hermione said, coming back into the bedroom. "I think so."

Harry stroked her hair back as she got into bed again. "What do you two think about possibly having another brother or sister?"

"I'm going to be a big brother," Ethan said grinning. "Either way...I'm going to be a big brother. I don't have to be the LITTLE brother anymore."

Julie laughed. "As if you haven't enjoyed being the baby for 7 years."

"And you'll still be Julie's little brother," Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah exactly," Julie pinched his cheeks.

"Jules," Ethan said, frowning at her. "I hate it when you do that!"

"I know you do." Julie said mischievously.

"You'll get to do that to your baby sister or baby brother," Harry reminded Ethan. "Drive them completely crazy."

"Yeah!" Ethan said. "It'll be loads of fun!"

"Hello," Hermione said, putting a hand on Ethan's arm. "Voice of reason, here. We don't know anything yet. Let's not get too excited. I could just have the flu or something."

"I hope not Mummy," Ethan said impishly.

"Me too," Hermione said smiling at him. "Me too."

21. Even Angels Fall

A/N: Thank you all for sticking with us this far! And as much as we hate to say it- fluff comes to an end this chapter as Draco and Ginny put their little plan to break up Nick and Julie into motion.

We didn’t respond to reviews again, and we’re sorry- Tuesdays are hard for that so we’re trying to do them on Saturdays chapters now so if you have any questions you THINK ;) that we’ll answer, leave them for us this time around.

As always, a few words to let us know what you think of the chapter is ALWAYS appreciated!!

Even Angels Fall – Jessica Riddle

You found hope, you found faith
Found how fast she could take it away
Found true love lost your heart
Now you don’t know who you are

She made it easy made it free
Made you hurt till you couldn’t see
Sometimes it stops some times it flows
Baby that is how love goes

You will fly and you will crawl
God knows even angels fall
No such thing as you lost it all
God knows even angels fall

Ginny watched as Draco set the last suitcase by the door. They were scheduled to leave in a couple of hours and she was more than ready to go. This entire holiday had been a mistake. After Harry, Hermione and Ron had left yesterday, Draco had given her the silent treatment. She'd tried the entire evening and most of the morning to get him to talk, but he hadn't said a word.

"Look," Ginny said, following him back into the sitting room. "I should have told you about my mother sending Nicholas those cards..."

"Why the fuck would I care about that?" Draco turned. "You lied to me about going to see your mother. That's what I'm pissed off about."

"I shouldn't have gone to see her," Ginny said quietly. "I know that now. I just thought...I thought things would have been different."

"If your family cared," Draco began tightly. "Then they'd have tried to talk to you ages ago."

"I know," Ginny said, putting a hand on his arm. "You're my family. You're the only family I need."

Draco stared at her, trying to keep his cool demeanour. In truth, she was the only family he had as well.

"I don't care if I ever see any of them ever again after today," Ginny said sincerely. "I just want to go back to our home and our life in Sydney and concentrate on us."

"Me too," Draco touched his wife's cheek.

"You do?" Ginny asked, looping her arms around his neck.

"Yes," Draco said. "I do love you even if I don't always show it in the best of ways."

Ginny kissed him. "This whole holiday was a mistake. We shouldn't have come here."

"I agree," Draco said. "Now our son is out there fucking a Potter."

"Not after today he isn't," Ginny said with gleaming eyes. "I think its time we play our trump card---Greta. If it’s a choice between Julie and Greta, I think we know who he'll choose, don't you?"

Draco smirked. "I'm sure he'll be around anytime. No doubt in my mind he was staying with her last night."

"I hope he enjoyed it while it lasted," Ginny said dismissively. "He'll be in University in the next few weeks following in your footsteps."

"He'll be going," Draco said definitively. "He has no say in this matter anymore."

"It's really the best thing for him," Ginny agreed.

Nick approached the cabin warily, hoping against hope that his parents were still sleeping. He planned on going in, grabbing his things, and leaving without even a word to them.

Ginny was laughing at something Draco was saying when she heard the front door open.

"Nicholas," Ginny called out to her son. "We'd like to have a word."

Nick cursed under his breath and decided to ignore them. He stomped over to his room.

Draco followed him. "Don't ignore your mother like that, Nicholas. We want to talk with you. That's not a request, Nicholas. That's a demand."

"I have nothing to talk to either one of you about," Nick replied coldly. "And I don't take demands from you. Not anymore."

"Okay," Draco said quietly. "Well, we just wanted to inform you about a decision your mother and I have made."

Nick folded his arms and stared at his parents wordlessly.

"Well," Ginny began. "Your father and I don't really have any need for a squib nanny anymore. Truth be told, she's not that great of a cook and she has a bit of an attitude problem. We're going to let her go."

Nick narrowed his eyes. "You're doing this because I'm with Julie." he said. "Blackmail."

"Blackmail is such a harsh word," Ginny said with a slight laugh. "I think of it more like a 'compromise'."

"This is no compromise," Nick said furiously.

"That's where you're wrong," Draco said. "You want something. We want something. In order to get it, we're both going to have to give up something. It's the way of the world, Nicholas."

"Your world isn't my world," Nick snapped. "Why do either of you even care? You've NEVER paid attention to me before and now that I'm with a Potter it's like you can't leave me alone!"

"I care because YOU are a Malfoy, Nicholas," Draco retorted. "You're not a Weasley. You're most certainly not a Potter. With the name Malfoy, you have certain responsibilities. You have to uphold the name. No son of mine is going to associate with that...filth."

"She is not filth," Nick raged, grabbing his father by the lapels.

"She's not," Draco said truthfully. "You're right. I shouldn't have called her that."

Nick was so surprised by his father's remark that he let go.

Ginny looked at her husband and wondered where he was going with this.

"She can't help who her parents are," Draco said calmly. "My problem isn't really with her, Nicholas. It's with her parents."

Nick exhaled sharply. "You'll never let it go will you? You'll always hold some pathetic grudge because YOU tried to get them in trouble."

"I'll let you in on a little secret, Nicholas," Draco said, holding up his hand. "There was a time when I wanted to be friends with Harry Potter."

Nick raised an eyebrow sceptically.

"It's true," Draco said with a laugh. "We were both starting Hogwarts. The very first night at school. The entire train ride over on the Hogwarts Express everyone was talking about how the great Harry Potter had come to Hogwarts."

Draco leaned back against the wall. "So we were all waiting outside the Great Hall waiting for the sorting to begin. I saw him. He was standing beside your uncle. I walked over to him and introduced myself.

“I told him that he would soon find out that some Wizarding families were better than others and that he didn't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I held out my hand and told him I could help him. Do you know what he did, Nicholas?"

Nick shrugged, pretending he didn't care.

"He didn't shake my hand and he chose to be friends with your uncle instead. Big mistake on his part. If only he'd done that, you and Julie might be planning your wedding right now, Nicholas. For all we know, Scarhead would have been my best mate."

"He knew better I'm sure," Nick said coldly.

Draco had just about enough of his son's sarcasm and ungrateful attitude. "Fine, Nicholas. I guess we know where you stand. This is where I stand. You're going to end things with the Potter girl and you're doing it today."

"No fucking way," Nick said holding his ground. "I'm through with the both of you."

"We're through with Greta," Ginny said simply. "We've put out word too that she's a terrible nanny and housekeeper and that she's stolen numerous items from our home. I don't imagine anyone would want to hire her after that, do you Nicholas?"

Nick was dumbfounded. "How could you bring her into this?" he demanded. "This is about me not her!"

"You brought her into this," Ginny pointed out. "We told you that this would happen, but you didn't listen. You have no one to blame, but yourself."

Nick felt torn. On one hand he had Julie... but Greta had raised him. She had cared for him since he was a baby. He couldn't let his parents do this to her. Yet there had to be a way he could keep Julie in his life and not let them destroy Greta's life.

"So what's it going to be?" Draco asked. "If it were me, the decision would be easy. You've known this girl for such a short time. It won't take long to get over her, Nicholas."

"At least I love her," Nick muttered. "You don't know the first thing about love."

"I love your mother," Draco said, putting an arm around Ginny. "And I am doing this for your own good, Nicholas. In my own way, I love you too."

"Bullshit," Nick retorted. "You've never cared about me."

"That's where you're wrong," Draco retorted. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some things to take care of before we leave. I trust you'll do the right thing, Nicholas."

"I am NOT following in your footsteps," Nick snapped.

"Whatever you say, Nicholas," Draco said dismissively, walking out of the cabin.

Nick stared at his mother. "How could you do this to me? After all your nonsense about wanting to be a family, you do this?"

"I do want us to be a family," Ginny said smiling at him. "Your father, you and me. That's all we need. You'll see."

"No it's not,” Nick snapped. "I want nothing to do with either of you, ever again."

"So, what have you decided?" Ginny asked, ignoring his comment.

In reply, he turned and slammed his bedroom door behind him. "What am I supposed to do?" he asked himself softly. He couldn't give up Julie, but he couldn't let them do that to Greta either.

*** *** ***

Lavender stretched, letting her arm move out from under the cover. Her hand hit a warm body and she smiled, moving over to cuddle closer to Seamus. "Morning," she said quietly, knowing he was awake.

"Morning," Seamus said. He didn't know how he'd spent so long sleeping without her beside him. It was nice, familiar and warm.

"Sleep well," Lavender asked as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Like a baby," he said softly. "Even with your snoring..."

"Sod off you," Lavender hit him on the chest. "I do NOT snore."

"You do," Seamus said turning over to look at her.

"We're not starting this again," Lavender said. "I do not snore and that is that."

"You do," Seamus couldn't resist adding.

"Seamus!" Lavender exclaimed.

"It's not annoying," Seamus quickly said. "It's quite cute."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Well YOU whimper in your sleep. You sound like a little lost puppy."

"Whimper?" Seamus asked. "I do not whimper. I have never whimpered in my life."

"And I've never snored in my life," Lavender gave him a look.

"Okay," Seamus relented. "You don't snore and I don't whimper."

"All right," Lavender gave him a kiss on the cheek. "That's better."

Seamus grinned and pulled her close. There was something he'd been meaning to bring up, but he hadn't really known how to go about it. Now was as good a time as any and he decided to just go for it.

"Lav?" he asked. "After Julie's party...I'm going to have to go back to L.A."

"I know," she said softly.

"And I'll be filming for the next six months," Seamus continued. "I probably wouldn't be able to get back to London to see you..."

Lavender took a deep breath. "Maybe I should just go back with you." she said.

"But what about you boutiques?" Seamus asked her. "And your family? Your friends?"

"I have an assistant who can help me in managing the boutiques here," Lavender said. "Besides... they're all for wizards. I can Floo back anytime I feel like it." she raised herself up on one arm. "I've gotten you back Seamus, by what sort of luck I'm not sure but I'm not letting you go again."

Seamus grinned. "I'm so glad to hear you say that. I was afraid you'd think I was being some chauvinist pig who expected you to follow where I led."

She laughed. "You do realise this means between films, you'll have to come back here though right? To rainy old London."

"I happen to like rainy old London," Seamus said defensively.

"Good," Lavender said. "I don't know how I'm going to tell Hermione about this. We've gotten so close, even closer than we were when you lived here before."

"I know," Seamus said, touching Lavender's arm. "But you can come back anytime you like, Lavender. And they can come visit."

"That's right," Lavender smiled at him. "I still can't believe we're back together," she buried her face in his chest.

"Neither can I," Seamus said, putting his arms around her.

"I would kiss you but I think you have bad morning breath," Lavender teased.

"So do you," Seamus said pretending to be affronted.

"Yours is worse," she giggled.

"Okay," Seamus said, gently pushing her away. "I get your point, Miss Brown. I'll go brush my teeth."

"I have a better idea," Lavender said. "How about we take a shower together?"

"Just as long as you promise not to use that awful soap that smells like gardenias or something," Seamus said, pulling the covers back.

"My soap smells nice," Lavender said defensively. "And if I do recall correctly you used it on yourself on MORE than one occasion."

"When I didn't have anything else," Seamus retorted.

"Right," she teased. "You'll be pleased to know I switched to one that smells like lilacs instead."

"Come on," Seamus said. "I thought someone by the name of Lavender would use something that smells like well....lavender."

She laughed. "I could use something new..." she said suggestively.

"Just get in the bathroom, Brown," Seamus said grinning at her.

"After you," she said impishly.

"You just want to look at my arse," Seamus said leading the way.

"I hope you don't have a problem with that." Lavender said.

"Not at all," Seamus said smiling at her.

*** *** ***

The Weasley cabin was in a state of chaos. Everyone was rushing around trying to pack, but Dolly the Cornish pixie had gotten loose and made quite a mess of things before Luna had saved the day.

"She didn't mean to get out and cause all that trouble, Daddy," Maddie explained to Ron. "She wanted to get out and play."

"Well it's a good thing we caught her," Ron said. "I don't know if you're going to be able to keep Dolly, Maddie."

Maddie's face fell. "No, Daddy. Please? I promise I won't let her back out of her cage. She'll be a good girl."

Ron sighed. "Ask your mother."

"But she said to ask you," Maddie said, giving her dad her most adorable face. "Please, Daddy?"

Ron bit his lower lip to keep from grinning. "All right. But if she gets out of her cage just one more time..."

Maddie launched herself at Ron and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, Daddy. You're the bestest daddy in the whole world!"

Ron laughed. "You're welcome baby. I'm going to put Dolly up here until it's time to go all right?"

"Okay," Maddie said, running out of the room to tell Darla and Drew the good news.

Ron grumbled a bit as he put the pixie on top of the shelf. "We're spoiling her," he said as his wife came in the room. "I can't say no to that kid."

"You never have been able to," Luna said. "She's got you wrapped around her little finger, Ron."

"That she does," Ron said. "And she will likely stay that way forever."

"I find it hard to say no to her, too," Luna said, grinning at her husband. "But we should probably try a little more often. She'd got to realise that she's not always going to get her way."

"I agree," Ron said, sitting on the sofa. "Are we all packed up?"

"Well," Luna began. "You don't even want to go in the boys' room. It's not pretty. Drew and Darla are moving at a snail's pace as usual and R.J. is fussy. I finally put him down a few minutes ago..."

"So in other words we have quite awhile," Ron said. "I should be ticked..."

"You're not?" Luna asked, surprised.

"Not really," Ron said. "I'm feeling pretty relaxed right now for some reason."

As if on cue, Darla stalked into their room. "Mum! Drew's got my sandals and she won't give them back!"

Drew pushed her way past her sister into the room. "I do not have your bloody sandals. You probably lost them like you do everything else."

"Girls," Ron said. "If you pack up everything like your Mum and I told you to do, you'll probably find them."

"I'm trying, Dad," Drew said defensively. "But I don't want to pack things up really messy. It takes time to do things nice and neatly."

"Oh and Jon snuck out a few minutes ago to see Allie," Darla chimed in.

Ron put his hand on his forehead and began to laugh.

"Did he finish packing at least?" Luna asked, but she already knew the answer.

"Josh is in there and he's really mad," Drew said. "Jon left all the packing for him to do."

"Drew?" Luna said, putting her hands on her daughter's shoulders. "Will you do me a big favour and go fetch your brother from the Longbottom cabin and tell him if he doesn't get back here and finish packing he's going to go and stay with my dad while we're all in London."

Drew giggled. "Okay!" she agreed instantly.

"And be quick about it," Luna reminded her. "We don't have much time."

"I will!" Drew skipped out of the cabin.

"And why don't you go in there now and try to find your sandals?" Ron asked Darla. "I'm willing to bet my Chudley Cannons shirt that they're under your or Drew's bed."

"Okay," Darla said. "But Dad, I really don't like your Cannons shirt. Could I have your new chess set instead?"

"No way," Ron said. "Because your sandals are under the bed."

"I already looked under the bed," Darla said. She snapped her fingers and a grin spread across her face. "But I didn't look under Drew's bed!"

Ron sat back again as she ran out of the room. "Oi," he said. "Glad that's all solved."

"Something tells me the next crisis is just around the bend," Luna said as she folded some shirts.

"Of course it is," Ron replied. "Maybe we should go in our room and lock the door."

"They'd just knock and knock and knock until we opened the door," Luna reminded him. There was a knock on the front door and Luna walked over and grinned when she saw who it was.

"Hello, Nick," Luna said, opening the door for him. "We were wondering when you'd be coming by."

"Hi..." Nick said, a bit nervous.

"Nick!" Ron got up. "How's your lip?"

"It's fine," Nick replied, stepping inside. He looked around the messy room. "What happened in here?"

"Dolly got loose," Luna explained.

"I found my sandals!" Darla called out from her bedroom. "They were under Drew's bed like I said, Dad!"

"Good!" Ron hollered back. "So what brings you by Nick?" he clapped his nephew on the shoulder.

"I wanted to talk to you," Nick answered. "Alone, if that's okay, Aunt Luna."

"That's fine," Luna smiled at him. "I've still got some more packing to do."

"What did you want to talk about?" Ron asked as Luna left the room.

Nick cleared away a space on the sofa to sit down. He didn't even know where to begin, but he had no one else to talk to.

"Have you ever had to make a tough decision where either way you went someone you cared about would get hurt?" Nick finally asked.

"Hasn't everyone gone through that?" Ron asked in return.

"Yeah, of course," Nick said quickly. "I just wanted to know if you have...and how you came to make your decision, Uncle Ron."

Ron wondered what his nephew was getting at. "Usually I took some time to think about it..." he said. "And I had to figure out what would hurt less." he smiled ruefully. "Usually I managed to take the hard way."

Nick nodded. "How long have you and Luna been together?"

"Quite awhile," Ron replied. "She fancied me back at school but I was too big a git to notice her. Once we came here, she taught me how to dance... and I couldn't stay away from her."

"Would you do anything for her?" Nick asked.

"Anything," Ron said without hesitation.

"What about your mother?" Nick asked. "Would you do anything for her?"

"For my mum, of course I would." Ron said. "She's been through enough in her life with various family members deserting her..." his last words remained unsaid and hung in the air above them.

"Yeah," Nick said, nodding. "I know..."

"Are you in some sort of trouble?" Ron asked concernedly.

Nick wanted to laugh. Ron had no idea what sort of trouble he was in and Nick wanted to tell him, but he just couldn't.

"No," Nick lied. "I just...I've been doing some thinking."

"Oh..." Ron said. "Anything I can help you with?"

Nick shook his head. His decision was seemingly made, but he had no idea how he'd be able to pull it off.

"I just really came by to tell you that I really liked getting to know all of you this summer," Nick finally said quietly. "And I won't forget all that you did for me. You made me feel like I was part of a family for the first time in my life."

Ron's eyebrows came together. "You make it sound like we'll never see you again Nick."

"I've decided to stay in Sydney," Nick said resignedly. "It's just better this way."

"How can it be better?" Ron asked.

"It just is," Nick snapped at him.

Ron was surprised at his tone. "Nick," he said. "You know I'm here for you right? If you need help I'll help you."

"I know," Nick said apologetically. "I'm sorry, Uncle Ron. I should go. I appreciate all that you and your family did for me. Could you please say goodbye to everyone for me?"

Ron blinked. "Of course but--"

"Goodbye, Uncle Ron," Nick said, holding out his hand.

Ron stared at him. "Nick..."

"In one summer you were more like a father to me than my own," Nick said, his hand still outstretched. "I'll never forget that."

Ron inched forward and shook his nephew's hand. "I wish I could convince you to come back with us."

"I'd just get in the way," Nick said with a hollow laugh.

"You've never been in the way," Ron said. "Everyone likes you. Julie, most of all I think."

At the mention of Julie's name, Nick paled. "I'm sorry, Uncle Ron. I've...I've got to go."

With not even a backward glance, Nick quickly ran out of the cabin.

"Nick!" Ron called to his retreating back.

"Ron?" Luna asked, coming out of their bedroom, holding R.J. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Ron still stared out the door. "I really have no idea."

*** *** ***

Nick practically ran towards the Potter cabin; he had never felt so conflicted in his life. He absolutely hated his parents for doing this to him, to Greta. He had no idea how he was going to break up with Julie. The very thought made him want to curl up and die.

Julie was humming as she packed up her belongings. Things were going so well. She had Nick. She was sure she'd get that teaching job she'd wanted; and she could possibly have a baby brother or sister on the way. She knew that her parents said not to get her hopes up, but Julie was feeling quite optimistic.

"Sweetheart," Hermione called. She hated making her daughter pack up for her but she could barely move from the bed. "I'm sorry; I just need your help for a few minutes."

Julie quickly made her way to her parents’ bedroom and gave her mother a sympathetic smile. "Don't worry about it, Mum. I'm happy to help."

"You're a good girl," Hermione lay with a damp, cool washcloth on her forehead.

"It's the least I could do since Dad went to go settle things up with Mr. Van Ark," Julie said opening up her mother's suitcase. "Are you really sure you can make it back in the car?"

"I hope so," Hermione said. "I wanted to stop at Stonehenge but that's out of the question now. The car's got to be better than Flooing."

"I know you said not to get our hopes up, but this was how you were with Ethan, Mum," Julie couldn't help saying.

"And your Dad says it's how I was with you as well," Hermione replied. "I hope I am too. Guess we'll find out when we get back."

"We certainly will," Julie said squeezing her mother's hand. "And then we can make plans for the nursery. Do you remember how much fun we had planning it for Ethan?"

"Of course," Hermione smiled. "You were a big help then as well."

"Well I had to," Julie said laughing. "Dad couldn't have put that crib together without me. What is it about men and not wanting to read directions?"

"I'm not sure," Hermione smiled then grimaced. "Ooh..." she said. "I hate this nausea."

"Need me to help you to the loo?" Julie offered.

"I think it might pass," Hermione said, breathing deeply.

"Are you sure?" Julie asked concernedly.

"I'm sure," Hermione pressed the cloth onto her forehead. "Can you pull those shades for me?"

Julie nodded and walked over to the window. As she moved to pull the shades, she saw Nick standing outside of their cabin. He didn't look too good and Julie immediately wondered if something had happened with his parents.

"Mum?" Julie asked. "Nick's outside. Do you mind if I step outside for a moment? I won't go far in case you need me."

"All right love," Hermione said. "I'll be fine."

Julie walked outside and saw Nick sitting on the steps. She tapped him on the shoulder. "Hey you!"

He jumped. "Hi," he muttered. "I need to talk to you."

"How did it go?" Julie asked, sitting down beside him.

He shook his head. "Julie..." Nick had no idea how he was going to do this.

Deciding he needed to talk about something else to get his mind off of his folks, she decided to talk about her birthday party.

"I can't wait for you to meet everyone. I just know my Grandpa is going to love you. My grandmother is really excited about meeting you, too."

"I'm not coming to your party," Nick blurted out. The only way he could do this was to be like the person he currently hated most.

"What?" Julie asked, looking over at him in surprise.

"I'm not coming to your party," he forced his voice to harden and he curled his lip up. "Why would I want to?"

Julie pulled a confused face. "Because we love each other and its an important day for me and I want you there by my side, Nick."

"We love each other?" he mocked.

"Don't we?" Julie asked, putting a hand on his arm, but he shrugged it off.

"Maybe you do," he smirked. "And if you really do then I'm a damn good actor aren't I?"

Julie stared at him in disbelief. "W-what are you talking about, Nick?"

Nick gazed at her as scornfully as possible. "I mean that you were a means to an end, Jules. I wanted a shag and you gave it to me. A lot easier than I thought, too."

She didn't know what to say or do. The man standing before her now wasn't the man who'd spent the night with her last night. The man standing in front of her now was some Draco Malfoy clone and she didn't understand what was going on and why he was saying these horrible things.

Shakily she got to her feet and looked into his grey eyes. He seemed so cold and distant and he was smirking at her. Before she knew what she was doing she'd hauled back and slapped him as hard as she could.

"What the hell do you keep slapping me for?" Nick asked angrily, holding his cheek. "If I wasn't a gentleman I'd slap you back."

Julie glared at him. "You're no gentleman, Nicholas Malfoy."

"You would know," Nick said.

"I guess I'm the fool, eh?" Julie asked him bitterly. "I actually thought you were someone I could care about and you're telling me that this entire time you were just playing me? That nothing you felt for me was real?"

"No," Nick said, the smirk dropping from his face at the look in her eyes. "It... wasn't real."

"And your family---the Weasleys?" Julie asked. "And Chiaki? What about them? Were you playing them, too? How about Ethan?"

"Yeah," Nick said. "Everyone. Had you all fooled didn't I?"

"Why?" Julie asked. She stood right in front of him and shoved him hard in the chest. "Why? For fun?"

"Something like that," Nick couldn't even force himself to smirk at her now. There was a dull ache in his chest that he couldn't make go away.

Julie stared at him, anger pulsing through her veins. "Go away," she said quietly.

Nick stared at her for a moment. "Did you really fall in love?" he asked, his voice mocking.

"Get out of my sight, you bastard!" she screamed at him. "Now! Go!"

Nick sneered at her and turned to leave, storming across the path towards his cabin. He hated his parents but most of all right now, he hated himself.

"Julie?" Hermione called out to her daughter when she heard the front door open. "Sweetheart, I heard you screaming. Are you okay?"

Julie was shaking as she sat down hard on the sofa. The tears she hadn't wanted Nick to see now filled her eyes. "No," she said, her voice shaking.

Hermione walked out of the bedroom and saw her daughter crying. "Jules," Hermione said gently, touching her daughter on the shoulder. "What is it?"

"It's Nick," Julie sobbed. "He just... he just told me that everything was a big joke. That he doesn't love me. That he just wanted..." she couldn't bring herself to finish the sentence.

Hermione hugged Julie and held her while she cried.

"It's okay, Julie," Hermione said soothingly. "It's okay..."

"No it's not Mum," Julie wiped her eyes. "What's wrong with me? Why do I keep picking the wrong ones?"

Hermione's heart broke at the look on Julie's face. She touched Julie's cheek. "You listen to me, Julie Liliane. There's nothing wrong with you. You're a beautiful, smart, clever girl and if the likes of Ryan and Nick can't see that, well they never deserved you to begin with."

Julie didn't know what to say, so she simply nodded and leaned against her mother's shoulder. "I hate being in love," she whimpered. "It's horrible."

Hermione wrapped an arm around Julie and the two of them sat in silence, save for Julie's sobs. What Hermione couldn't understand was why Nick had treated Julie this way. Over the holiday, he'd been nothing but polite and charming to them. He'd seemed as different from his parents as night and day.

"Okay," Harry said as he walked back inside the cabin with Ethan in tow. "Everything is cleared up and we should be ready to...what's wrong?"

Hermione shook her head but Julie looked up, her eyes already red. "Nick," she sobbed again.

"Nick broke up with her," Hermione said gently.

"What?" Harry asked. "Why? When?"

Hermione shook her head, indicating she didn't know and Julie was crying too hard to talk. Ethan looked completely dumbfounded and Harry looked just plain furious.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," Harry finally said.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asked as Ethan came over and tried to comfort his sister.

"To get some answers," Harry replied heading for the door.

"Harry!" Hermione called after him but it was no use- he was already halfway to the Malfoys' cabin.

Draco and Ginny were stepping out onto the porch when Harry came up to their cabin.

"Come to see us off, Scarhead?" Draco asked sarcastically.

"Where's your son?" Harry snarled without prelude.

"Inside," Ginny said sweetly. "Packing."

"Get him out here," Harry demanded.

Draco laughed. "I'm sorry. I think you've mistaken me for one of your adoring fans, Potter."

"I said get him out here," Harry clenched his teeth. "I want to know what he said to my daughter."

"It doesn't matter what he said, does it?" Ginny asked.

Nick opened up the door and stepped outside. "I don't need you to speak for me, Mum."

Harry's eyes narrowed when he saw the younger Malfoy.

"You wanted to see me?" Nick asked quietly.

"What did you say to her?" Harry snapped. "She's back there now sobbing and I want to know why."

Nick didn't see how he was going to pull this off with the great Harry Potter, but he'd gone this far, he figured he'd have to see it through to the end.

"I ended things," Nick answered defiantly. "She and I were nothing but a summer fling. We were just having a bit of fun. Apparently, she thought things were much more serious."

Harry's eyes darkened dangerously. "Don't any of you ever come near me or my family EVER again." he said.

"As if we'd want to," Ginny retorted. :

"Ahh, there's our ride," Draco said lazily. "Have a nice life Scarhead. Nicholas go get your things."

"Wait just a minute," Harry called out to Nick. "We invited you into our home---into our lives. Ron treated you like his own son. Did any of that mean anything to you, Nick?"

Nick looked away so his parents and Harry wouldn't see the lie in his eyes. "No," he answered dully.

"Satisfied, Potter?" Malfoy asked. "If you don't mind we'd like to leave."

Harry shook his head. "I expected more of you Nick," he said in disappointment.

Nick turned and walked back into the cabin to get his things.

"This is truly for the best," Ginny said airily. "Nice to see you as always, Harry."

"Shut up Ginny," Harry snapped. "I hope you're satisfied. Something tells me the two of you are responsible for this."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Always looking to blame everything on us, aren't you? I haven't got the time or desire to explain myself to you. Go back to the Mudblood and your brats, Scarhead."

Harry glared at him. "Have a good life yourself Malfoy. I hope you're happy with what you've done." he said before leaving.

"Come, Nicholas," Ginny called out. "The car is waiting."

Nick slammed the cabin door behind him, ready to leave Hillsdale. "Fine," he said shortly.

"You did the right thing, Nicholas," Ginny said smiling at him. "You'll see. You'll forget all about her."

"Don't talk to me," Nick brushed by her. "I don't want to have anything to do with either one of you."

"As long as you don't have anything more to do with Julie Potter, I don't care what you think of us," Draco said, holding the car door open for his wife.

Nick threw his bags in the boot and got in the other side, scooting over as far as possible.

"I cannot wait to get home," Ginny said immediately forgetting about her son and his plight. "I think we should have a dinner party or something after we're all settled. We could invite some of your colleagues Draco."

"Of course dear," Draco said, smiling at his wife.

"No one throws a party like me," Ginny said smugly. "And we can forget all about this horrible place."

"I agree," Draco said. "Nicholas, you'll go right into University when we get back. Greta has some pamphlets for you to look through."

Nick stared out the window choosing to ignore his father and his demands. He kept seeing Julie's hurt expression as he lied to her. His cheek still stung from where she'd slapped him. He didn't expect her to ever forgive him for what he'd done. It didn't really matter now, he thought to himself. Julie Potter and Hillsdale were now just a memory.

*** *** ***

In an effort to give Ron a bit of a break, Josh and Maddie rode with the Potters on the way home. Maddie and Ethan were sitting in the back of the SUV playing with some toys.

Josh looked at Julie who was staring listlessly out the window.

"You okay, Jules?" he asked gently.

She seemed a bit startled by his voice. "Not really," she replied hollowly.

"I hope you don't let him spoil your view on all of us Weasley men," Josh said, attempting to make her feel better. He had always been able to make her laugh and he hated to see her so unhappy.

Julie knew he was trying to cheer her up and she gave him a small smile. "I won't," she said quietly. "It... just doesn't seem right you know? But I can't stop thinking about what he said. It was horrible Josh."

Josh nodded. From what he'd heard, it didn't sound like his cousin at all. But, apparently it had all been some horrible act and they'd all fell for it.

"You know what we need to do?" Josh asked, grinning at her. "I think we need to visit the joke shop and send good, old Nick some presents, eh? I'm thinking itching powder. I'm thinking ton-tongue toffees...what do you say?"

"Yeah!" Ethan chimed in. "Dungbombs!"

"He's not worth it," Julie said, turning to look out the window again. "I wouldn't waste your money on it."

"Does Kiki know what happened?" Ethan asked. "She's going to be really mad."

"She knows," Julie answered quietly. Chiaki had offered to ride back with her but she'd declined, knowing there was barely enough room in the car as it was.

Josh squeezed her shoulder. "It's going to be okay, Jules. You'll see. Besides, you’re going to have a house full of Weasleys to keep you occupied. Not to mention one demented Cornish pixie. There's an idea! Hey, Maddie? Can we send Dolly to Nick?"

"No!" Maddie squealed. "Dolly's MINE Josh!"

"Okay, okay," Josh said quickly grinning at her. "We won't give away Dolly. It was just an idea."

"I appreciate the thoughts," Julie said. "I wish I could forget about him. I just... can't believe it." Tears filled her eyes again as she recalled his mocking smirk earlier.

Hermione looked over her shoulder at her daughter and her heart broke all over again. She was finding all of this hard to believe as well, but she wondered if perhaps she should have expected it. Maybe that had been Ginny's plan all along.

"I hope we never see any of them ever again," Hermione muttered to Harry.

Harry shook his head. "There was something off about Nick when I went over there," he said quietly. "But he insisted that it was just a fling."

Hermione gave him a quizzical look. "Off? How do you mean?"

"He was lying," Harry replied. "He wouldn't look me in the eye."

Hermione kept her voice down so Julie wouldn't hear. The last thing she wanted was to get Julie's hopes up about someone who probably had been playing her the entire holiday.

"But why would he lie?" Hermione asked. "It's no secret that Draco and Ginny didn't approve of the relationship. He told us time and time again that he didn't care what they thought. It just doesn't add up, Harry."

"I don't know," Harry said. "I can't figure it out. It's like I'm missing just one piece of the puzzle and it's the piece I need to complete it."

"Do you know what this reminds me of?" Hermione asked thoughtfully. "You remember when I broke things off with you because Ginny made me think that if you stayed with me, you wouldn't be able to pursue your dream of being an Auror?"

"Yeah I remember that," Harry replied. "But at least we figured out what her game was before it was too late."

"That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do," Hermione said softly.

Harry smiled at his wife. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better," Hermione replied.

"I'm glad you're driving back with us," Harry grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it.

Julie observed her parents- her father was always so sweet with her mother, so attentive and loving. She'd never thought she was asking too much to find a love that was anything even close to theirs. New tears sprang to her eyes and she wiped them away as she once again forced Nick Malfoy from her thoughts.

22. Home

A/N: We’re updating a day early as a ‘birthday gift’ since Emma Watson turns 15 today (still today over here in the US LOL) and we just wanted to give her a shout out. Hope you had a great day Emma and got loads of great presents too ;D

A lot of you are asking how many chapters this story is- we don’t know. It’s finished, that much we can say but we don’t have it split up into chapters yet. It’s long, not as long as Time of their Life, but long. We’ve added little things here and there as well.

Also- please don’t judge Nick too harshly! Remember- he only had a few minutes to think about what to do! And what’s worse is D/G still have one trick left up their sleeve, which you’ll find out in this chapter. Thanks for reading and as always, please leave a review to let us know what you think!

Home – Sheryl Crow

I'm going crazy
A little everyday
And everything I wanted
Is now driving me away
I woke this morning
To the sound of breaking hearts
Mine is full of questions
And it's tearing yours apart...

"Good to be home," Draco eyed the city of Sydney Australia as they drove through it. He put an arm around his wife and settled back. They'd taken a portkey from England and so it was only about an hour after they'd left Hillsdale. "Nicholas, we're going to talk about your schooling when we get back to the flat. Don't think you can duck out and go see your friends."

Nick rolled his eyes, but kept silent. His father had another thing coming if he thought he was going to spend his days in some University in the hopes of becoming another clone of his dad.

"It's so grand to be back," Ginny said. "I haven't been able to do any decent shopping in weeks. That little town near the resort has nothing on Sydney."

"We'll go out for dinner and then we'll hit a few stores," Draco said to his wife.

"And I can get anything I want, right?" Ginny asked beaming at him.

"Don't you always?" Nick muttered under his breath.

"Nicholas that was uncalled for," Draco frowned at his son. "You've been a moody, ungrateful brat since we left the resort. You didn't want to go there in the first place and now we're back. I would appreciate it if you'd leave the glower behind."

"And what would I have to be grateful for, Dad?" Nick asked sarcastically. "You know if you'd spent more than five minutes with the Weasleys you'd see how a real family is supposed to be. Unlike some people, they actually want their kids to be happy."

"The Weasleys are a bunch of no good paupers who bring the pureblood name down," Draco retorted.

"That's right Nicholas," Ginny nodded in agreement. "The moment I married your father he became my only family. They don't understand me and they certainly don't understand you."

"They understood me just fine," Nick said tersely. "But thanks to the two of you, I guess I'll never see them again."

"And you're better off for it," Draco replied crisply.

"Yeah," Nick said. "I certainly am, aren't I? Don't I look happy?"

"You'll be fine," Draco glared at him. "You're starting University, and you're going to be a Healer. You won't have time to think about the Weasel family or the stupid bloody Potters, especially that tart. And soon enough we'll help you find a girl that's right for you and you'll settle down then."

"So, let me get this straight," Nick said glaring at his parents. "You get to decide what I'm going to do with the rest of my life? You're going to decide who I associate with? You didn't care before, Dad. Why now?"

"Because you're old enough now where you need to be shown the way to do things," Draco returned coldly. "I didn't raise you to be a spoiled little shit Nicholas."

"You didn't raise me at all!" Nick retorted. "I don't seem to remember you helping me learn how to ride a bike, Dad? I don't remember either of you spending a Christmas morning with me---ever. I don't recall you showing up for any of my Quidditch matches at school or for any of my gigs..."

"We're here for you now," Draco said sharply. "And if you know what's good for you, you'll forget about that Potter girl and concentrate on your future."

The rest of the ride home was spent in silence as Nick worked out how he could get out of this mess. He couldn't wait to see Greta and ask her what she thought he should do.

The smell of freshly baked biscuits hit Nick as soon as the lift pinged open and they made their way into the penthouse.

"Nick?" Greta's warm voice called out to him from the kitchen. "Is that you?"

"Greta," Nick smiled for the first time since that morning when he'd woken up with Julie in his arms.

Greta beamed at him as she walked out of the kitchen. "Look at you! You've gotten taller since I last saw you!"

"I have not," Nick smiled at her and hugged her tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too!" Greta exclaimed. She pulled back to get a better look at him. "Something's wrong, Nick. What is it?"

He shook his head. "It's a long story," he looked down at the floor. "I'll tell you later."

"Greta," Draco strode into the kitchen.

"Mr, Malfoy," Greta said politely. "Welcome Home, Sir."

"Thank you," Draco said coolly. "Pack your bags please. Your services with us are terminated as of this moment."

The smile on Greta's face faltered and she looked at him as if she'd not quite heard him. "I beg your pardon, Sir. What did you just say?"

"He said you're fired," Ginny came up behind her husband. "Sacked." she smiled cruelly.

"But...but I've been with your family for nearly 20 years," Greta stammered. She looked at Nick who looked as dumbfounded and shell-shocked as she was. "I don't understand..."

"Nick's a big boy now," Draco wore a smile identical to his wife's. "We don't need you anymore."

"This wasn't our deal, Dad," Nick said angrily.

"We have no deal here Nicholas," Draco said, his look calculating.

"But you said that if I didn't break things off with Julie..." Nick's voice trailed off as he realised what his parents had done. They'd had no intention of keeping Greta. He couldn't believe he'd been so stupid to think he could have trusted them.

"I guess I'll go and pack my things," Greta said quietly.

"Make sure you don't take anything," Ginny said. "We'll be taking a full inventory to make sure that you haven't. And we won't be giving you any references, Greta."

Nick stared at them as Greta left the room. "How could you do this?" he demanded furiously.

"She's a nanny," Ginny answered as if it should have been obvious. "You're not a child anymore. You'll be at University and we won't have much need for her, will we?"

"I'm not going to University," Nick was about to snap, his temper was wound so tight.

"This isn't up for discussion," Draco said getting in front of his son. "Now you can be cross about this if you'd like, but we did what we had to do, Nicholas."

"Bullshit," Nick snapped. "You didn't have to sack her. I did what you told me to do and you fired her anyway!"

"Draco," Ginny said, rubbing her forehead. "This is giving me a headache. Let's go upstairs and rest."

"Right," Nick said sarcastically. He was trembling with rage as his parents left the kitchen.

Greta was packing her suitcase in her small bedroom just a few doors down from the kitchen. This had been her home for such a long time. She'd always hated the Malfoys, but had put up with them because of Nick. He was such a good boy and he'd grown up into a fine young man. Greta was so proud of him. She honestly didn't know how she was going to say goodbye to someone she'd thought of as one of her own.

"Greta," Nick knocked softly on her door. "This isn't fair. I'm going to tell them they can't sack you."

Greta slowly turned around and gave him a weak smile. "Its okay, Nick. They're right. They don't have any need for an old squib like me."

"They might not need you but I do," Nick said. He shut the door behind him. "They tricked me."

"What do you mean?" Greta asked, pushing her suitcase aside and sitting down on the bed. She patted the empty space beside her and motioned for him to sit down, too.

He sat heavily, raking his fingers through his hair. "I told you about Julie and how we were keeping our relationship a secret right?"

Greta nodded. "Your parents found out, didn't they?"

"They found out, and they told me that if I didn't break up with her, they'd sack you and make it look like you stole things," Nick said bitterly. "And so I broke up with her. I said some horrible things and then I came back to find out they were going to get rid of you anyway!"

"Oh, Nick," Greta said her voice barely above a whisper. She couldn't believe the nerve Draco and Ginny Malfoy had. It was almost like hurting people---even their own son---was a sport to them. "That poor girl..."

"Yeah," Nick muttered. "I don't deserve her now. Not after that."

"That's rubbish," Greta said, patting his arm. "You were fooled by your parents. She'll understand. You just need to talk to her and explain...."

He shook his head. "She told me she never wanted to see me again. I told her that I fooled everyone into thinking I liked them. By now they all think I'm just like my parents."

"You did all that for me?" Greta asked, her heart breaking. "Nick-"

"Greta," Nick interrupted her. "I couldn't let them do that to you. Ruin any chance of making a living elsewhere. You're too important to me."

"They knew that," Greta said bitterly. "They knew that and they used that against you so you'd hurt the people you'd grown close to."

She shook her head. "I used to think that there was nothing your parents could do that would surprise me anymore. I was wrong."

"I didn't think they'd do this either," he scuffed his foot along the floor. "I don't know what to do now."

"You need to go back to London and make things right," Greta told him. "With your uncle and with this girl."

"What makes you think they'll even see me?" Nick asked.

"They might not want to," Greta said. "But you have to try. Come on, Nick. You've never been a quitter, have you? And you've always loved a challenge."

A small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. He'd thought the exact same thing when Julie wouldn't talk to him before. "You're right," he conceded.

"I'm always right," Greta said, nudging him. "Now, you'd better get out of here and let me pack."

"Greta," Nick said, standing up. "Will you come with me to London?"

"Go with you to London?" Greta asked him. "You don't need me to go with you, Nick. Besides, I should probably start looking for another job..."

"I'm going to move there," Nick said, making a split second decision. "I've got nothing left here. My band is breaking up. My parents have sacked you. If I don't leave they're going make me go to University."

"They're not going to like this at all," Greta said him as he smiled at her. "You realise that, don't you?"

He shrugged. "I don't care. I hate them. They've done nothing for me, except for you."

Greta smiled. "Well, I've never been to London before..."

Nick grinned. "So you'll come with me?"

"I must be crazy, but okay," Greta replied. "Besides who knows what trouble you'd get into without me."

Nick hugged his nanny. "I'll get us a flat," he promised. "And I'll help you find a job. I don't know what I'm going to do yet but I'll figure it out. I'm glad I have my own money from the band."

"You don't have to do this," Greta told him. "I would be okay...."

He shook his head. "I need you to come with me."

Greta smiled. "Okay. I'm sure I'll find a family in London that I can work for, right?"

"I'll help you," Nick said.

"I guess we're going to London," Greta said.

"Right," Nick replied. "I'm... going to get some of my own stuff together. And then I have to go see my band and tell them I'm leaving."

"What about your parents?" Greta asked. "When do you plan on telling them?"

Nick shrugged. "When we're walking out the door?"

"Sounds like a plan," Greta said with a laugh.

Nick wasted no time in getting a few of his things together and putting them in a different bag. It was late due to the time difference but he knew his friends would still be up. He tossed in a few more articles of clothing then threw the bag over his shoulder and went back to Greta's room.

"I'm ready," Greta said, handing him her small suitcase. "If you are."

He nodded, a bit nervous now that they were actually going. "Yeah," he said. "I'm ready to go."

They were in the kitchen, sneaking a bit of food into Nick's bag when Draco strode into the room. "Where the hell do you think you're going Nicholas?"

"Leaving," Nick said simply.

An amused smirk came to Draco's lips. "Leaving?" he asked. "And where do you think you're going?"

"Anywhere but here," Nick said, picking up Greta's suitcase. "Come on, Greta."

"You wait just a minute," Draco said sharply. "You're not leaving Nicholas."

Nick glared at his father. "You reneged on our deal, Dad. If you aren't going to keep your word, I don't see any reason why I have to keep mine."

Draco's eyes narrowed and then he had his son by the shirt collar. "If you leave, Nicholas. You will lose any claim to the Malfoy name and fortune. We will no longer think of you as a son, and your mother and I will not help you when you come back crying because the Potters kicked you to the curb."

"You know they may not ever want to see me again, Dad," Nick admitted. "They might throw me out. But you know what? I would rather live in the streets than spend one more night living under your roof. So, you can take the Malfoy name and fortune away from me. See if I care. It's never meant anything to me and it never will."

He shrugged out of his father's grip and smiled. "Tell Mum I said goodbye."

But Nick didn't have to worry about that, he heard footsteps on the stairs and his mother calling out his father's name.

"Draco," she purred. "I thought you were going to be right back."

Draco looked at his wife with a smirk. "Well Ginny my love, it turns out our son thinks he can just pack up and walk out without so much as a goodbye."

Ginny stared at her son, the smile fading from her face.

"You're leaving?" she asked him.

"As if you really care," Nick snapped. "You both told me you'd sack Greta if I DIDN'T break things off with Julie. So I did and you both fired her anyway. Our deal is off."

"You ungrateful swot!" Ginny said sneering at Nick. "After all we've done for you, you're going to leave?"

"What the fuck have you done for me?" Nick asked angrily. "Aside from not paying the least bit of attention to me when I wanted you both to notice me the most? Now that I don't need you apparently you guys want me in your life. It doesn't work that way, sorry."

Nick made for the door and Ginny put her hand on his shoulder. "If you walk out that door, you'll regret it, Nicholas. There won't be any second chances."

"Ask me if I care," Nick stared at his mother coolly.

"You may think you don't," Draco snapped. "But you know without my support that you're nothing Nicholas. NOTHING!"

"Wait just a minute," Greta said setting her bag down just outside the door. She couldn't just sit by like she had all these years and not let the Malfoys know exactly what she thought of them. Greta made a move for the door.

"Greta?" Nick asked. "What are you doing?"

"Seeing as I'm not in your employ anymore," Greta began coolly. "I'm going to say a few things I should have said long ago but didn't because I've wanted to stay with Nick."

"As if we care one way or the other what you have to say..." Ginny started to say, but Greta held up her hand.

"I've loved Nick like a son since I came to work for you," Greta said. "I've seen him grow into the amazing young man he is today. Aside from being a wonderful musician he's also kind and considerate- which I find hard to believe is a trait either one of you possess." she looked at the two of them. "He found a girl that he loves and loves him in return and because of a silly grudge you force him to leave her by blackmailing him with me. If I'd known I'd have left before you even returned so he'd never have to know what a broken heart feels like.

"I hope you're both happy for tricking him like you've done. Now that we're both leaving you can go back to the selfish life you enjoyed before we came along." she cast a cold glare at the Malfoys, and her eyes softened as she looked back at Nick whose jaw was nearly hitting the floor.

Nick had never heard anyone talk like that to his parents. He'd never been more proud of anyone in his life than he was of Greta at this moment.

"We should have fired that busybody ages ago," Ginny said dismissively to Draco. "I told you what she was like!"

Nick shook his head in disgust. "Why- because she's been right? Neither one of you cares about me and you never have. I found family that took me in and care about me- why would I want to stay with either one of you?" he narrowed his eyes. "I hope you both have a great life, and good riddance.”

Ginny watched in disbelief as Nick grabbed his bag and slammed the door behind him and Greta.

"Nicholas!" Draco shouted at the closed door.

"Well..." Nick said to Greta. "That went better than I thought it would..."

"I've never been more proud of you, Nick," Greta said, smiling at him. "This Julie would have been proud, too."

He sighed. "I hope so. I hope she can forgive me."

"She will," Greta promised. "You're very hard to say no to, Nicholas Malfoy."

"That's kind of how I wore her down in the first place," Nick said as they headed towards the place where his band practised. It was night and it was chilly, it being winter in Sydney.

"I'll wait outside while you tell them," Greta said, taking a seat one of the sofas.

Greta watched as Nick entered the room where his band practised and she wondered if he knew the meaning of what he'd just done. She hadn't been lying when she'd told him how proud she was of him. Greta had spent her entire employment with the Malfoys wondering how they couldn't see what a special person their son truly was.

She also hoped he could reconcile with this girl Julie. He certainly seemed to care, if his attitude about her was any indication. And he'd never talked to her about another girl before either, at least not the way he talked about this one.

Greta was looking forward to meeting Julie and to meeting Ron's family. From what she'd heard about the Weasleys, they were warm and caring. She hoped that they'd understand why Nick had done what he had.

"Okay," Nick came out of the room. "That didn't take long either."

"How did they take it?" Greta asked.

"They're fine," Nick said. "Disappointed... but I think it's better this way. We haven't been getting along like we used to as of late and it was just our time to end things."

Greta nodded. "So I guess we're ready to go then?"

He nodded slowly. "I'm kind of nervous," he confessed.

"Me, too," Greta admitted.

"Thank you for coming with me," Nick said. "I know this is a big step for me and especially for you."

"Thank you for doing this for me," Greta said, hugging him.

"I'd do anything for you Greta," Nick smiled. "You're the reason I am how I am today."

Tears welled up in Greta's eyes. "I'm proud of you, Nick. It took a lot of courage to do what you did today."

"I think it's going to take even more courage to go back and try to talk to Julie," Nick said ruefully.

"It will," Greta said. "But I have faith in you."

"Well... let's go get a portkey," Nick said. "I bet I can put one on through the hospital on my dad's charge," he said with a hint of mischief.

*** *** ***

The Potters' arrived back home shortly after six that evening. After everyone had settled down, Harry had sent for one of the healers from St. Mungos to come and check on Hermione. Hermione still had bad memories of taking a Muggle pregnancy test all those years ago when she was still in University. She'd thought the best and most definitive answer would be from a healer.

Luna and Ron had taken their children out for dinner and Ethan had tagged along. Julie had excused herself as soon as they'd gotten home and was at the moment holed up in her bedroom.

"What time did that healer say there were going to be here?" Hermione asked impatiently.

"Soon," Harry kept his tone light to placate his wife. "Eager are you?"

"Just a little," Hermione said. "I hate keeping things from Ron and Luna, but I don't want to say anything until we're sure. And I hope the healer comes while they're out."

"I'm sure they'll be here anytime." Harry reassured her.

"Do you think we should check on Julie again?" Hermione asked.

Harry was tempted but he shook his head. "If she wanted company she'd be down here with us. I think we should just let her be for the time being."

"You're right," Hermione said quietly. "I just don't like seeing her upset."

"Me either," Harry agreed, stroking her hair back.

Hermione patted her stomach and wondered if there was actually a little life growing in there as they spoke.

"If you are pregnant," Harry said, reading her thoughts. "Boy or girl?"

Hermione smiled. "Well, I think if I am...it’s a girl."

"Another daughter for me to dote on?" Harry teased.

"I think so," Hermione said with a grin. "Ethan told me earlier that he has his heart set on a little sister. It surprised me because I thought he'd want a brother."

"Me too," Harry said. "I'd be fine either way. Girl or boy."

The doorbell chimed and Harry pecked Hermione on the cheek before going to answer the door.

"Hello," Harry greeted the healer at the door. "Thanks for coming over on such short notice.

"My pleasure," the healer replied. "My name is Lynne. It's lovely to meet you Mr. Potter."

"Likewise," Harry said showing her inside. "My wife is in the sitting room."

"Good evening Minister," Lynne said as Harry followed her in.

"Good evening," Hermione said, shaking her hand. "Please call me Hermione."

Harry sat down by his wife as the healer got out her want. "What we basically want to know..." he lowered his voice even though they were alone in the room. "We want to know if my wife is pregnant."

Lynne nodded. "I should be able to tell you in a matter of moments."

Hermione nodded and held Harry's hand.

She made Hermione swallow some glowing blue liquid and then waved her wand. "Let's see..." the healer murmured.

Hermione closed her eyes and waited for the healer to finish. Patience was a virtue Hermione didn't possess too often and she literally felt as if the suspense was going to kill her.

"Well," the healer said a moment later. "I suppose congratulations are in order!"

Hermione's eyes shot open. "You mean...we are?"

"You're only about a month along," Lynne placed her wand back in her pocket. "It's quite unusual to find out at this point in time but the spells indicate you most definitely are expecting."

"Thank you so much," Hermione said, tears coming into her eyes.

"Yes thank you," Harry said, grinning broadly. "We appreciate this more than you know."

"You're quite welcome," Lynne said. "Will you be needing anything else?"

Harry shook his head. "No, thank you. You've made our night, Lynne."

"I can show myself out," Lynne smiled. "I'll expect to see you around for checkups soon."

"You will," Hermione promised watching as the healer walked out of the sitting room.

Harry waited until the woman was gone before turning back to his wife. "Hermione..."

"I can't believe it," Hermione said, wiping a tear from her cheek. "We're going to have another baby!"

Harry swung her around gently before hugging her tightly. "This is fantastic," he said.

"It is," Hermione said, but her face fell. "How can I truly be happy when my daughter is suffering? I want to tell her about this news, Harry. But it just seems so cruel to want to celebrate with her hurting."

"Maybe this will cheer her up," Harry wiped another tear from her cheek.

"Do you think so?" Hermione asked.

"We can try," Harry said, reaching for her hand.

Hermione smiled and together they made their way upstairs. "Go easy on me, Harry. I am in a delicate condition."

"Shall I carry you?" Harry asked. "Won't be long before you gain a stone or two."

"No, its okay," Hermione said. "Thank you for bringing up the one thing that I don't like about being pregnant. Okay, well maybe it’s not the only thing I don't like, but it’s definitely in the top three."

Harry grinned. "You get pleasure from watching me run around trying to satisfy your cravings too. Don't deny it."

"Maybe just a little," Hermione admitted. She knocked gently on Julie's door. "Jules?"

Julie jumped. She'd been sitting in her window seat, completely lost in thought. "Come in," she called out quietly.

Hermione opened the door and walked inside. "How are you holding up, sweetheart?"

Julie shrugged. "I'm okay," she said. "Glad to be home."

"So are we," Hermione said, sitting down on the window seat beside her daughter. "Your father and I have something we wanted to tell you."

"What's that?" Julie asked.

"We wanted to ask your opinion," Hermione said, grinning at Harry. "About what colour we should paint the nursery."

Her eyes widened. "Mum... you mean you're..."

Hermione nodded. "About a month along."

Julie couldn't stop a smile from appearing. "That's great!" she said, genuinely happy.

Hermione hugged her tightly. "We think so, too."

"Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet?" Julie asked.

"Too soon to tell," Harry answered. "Hermione seems to think we're having a little girl. Ethan's put his vote in for a baby sister and I will be happy either way as long as they are healthy and happy."

She nodded. "That's really great," she said. "I can't wait."

"Can't wait for what?" Ethan asked, coming in the bedroom.

"When did you get back?" Hermione asked, smiling as Ethan plopped in her lap.

"Just now," Ethan said. "Look what Uncle Ron got me!" he held out a bag of sweets from the nearby shop.

"Ethan!" Hermione said, rolling her eyes. "That's enough sweets to feed a small army."

"Or me," Ethan said impishly.

Hermione laughed. "Did you have a good time with Uncle Ron and everyone?"

Ethan nodded. "I like eating at The Leaky Cauldron." he said.

"Guess what, little man?" Harry asked, kneeling down.

"What?" Ethan asked, chewing on a jelly slug.

"You're going to have a baby brother or sister," Harry replied with a grin. "Mummy had a test while you were gone."

Ethan's eyes lit up. "I don't have to be the baby anymore!"

"You'll always be my baby," Hermione said hugging him. "You and Julie both...no matter how old you get."

"Mum!" Ethan said as she pinched his cheek. "Can I go tell everyone?"

"Hey?" Ron asked, peering his head inside. "Sorry to interrupt. Ethan, do you have more toffees? I ran out..."

"Uncle Ron I'm going to be a big brother!" Ethan shouted happily.

"Okay," Ron said at first not getting what Ethan had said. "Now about those toff-...hold on...what?"

Harry laughed. "Hermione and I are having another baby." he said.

Ron grinned. "That's fantastic! You're trying to catch up to me, aren't you?"

"I don't think anyone could catch up to you Ron," Hermione said, but she was smiling.

"Yes, well two sets of twins and all," Ron said with a laugh. He stepped outside and at the top of his lungs hollered, "LUNA! HERMIONE'S PREGNANT AGAIN!"

"Thanks Ron," Harry said. "I don't think the newspapers heard you though. Could you try it a little louder next time?"

"Hermione!" Luna said, coming into the bedroom. "This is fantastic news!"

Ethan walked over to his sister who hadn't really been joining in on the celebration.

"I brought you back some sweets, Jules," Ethan said, reaching into his bag. "Some Droobles gum and I got your your favourite chocolates, too."

"Thanks Ethan," Julie smiled at her brother. "That was nice of you."

Ethan leaned in and whispered, "And Josh and I bought some Dungbombs just in case you change your mind about the revenge thing."

She couldn't help but giggle at that. "I might take you up on it," she hugged him.

"You're a really good big sister, Jules," Ethan said hugging her back. "Our baby sister is going to be in good hands with you and me helping her."

"You seem pretty convinced that Mum's having a girl," Julie said, mussing his hair.

"Aren't you?" Ethan asked her.

"I think it's still up in the air at this point," Julie said.

"How's she doing?" Ron asked Harry in a hushed tone, motioning toward Julie.

"Okay," Harry replied. "Hermione and I were hoping the baby news would cheer her up a bit."

"I still can't believe Nick would do something like that," Ron said shaking his head. "Right before we left, he stopped by the cabin and he was acting really strange."

"He was?" Harry asked.

Ron nodded. "He was asking me all these questions and then he started talking like he was never going to see any of us ever again."

"Well when I went over to their cabin before we all left he told me that it was just a summer fling." Harry said, his voice even quieter. "I told Hermione I think he was lying. Wouldn't look at me when he said it."

"It wasn't a summer fling," Ron protested. "Harry, he loves Julie. I know that. He wouldn't have hurt her for anything in the world. My sister has something to do with this. I'd bet my Chudley Cannons shirt on it."

"I agree with you," Harry replied. "But it doesn't look like it'll do much good anyway. They're back in Sydney."

"I'm really sorry about all of this," Ron said looking at Julie who was making a valiant effort to put up a good front for everyone.

"It's not your fault," Harry said. "We all liked him."

"Daddy!" Maddie came into the bedroom and gave her father her most innocent look. "Now, don't get mad..."

"Uh oh..." Ron said. "You only give me that look when you do something naughty."

"It wasn't me," Maddie said shaking her head. "See...what happened was I was trying to clean out Dolly's cage..."

"Madeline," Ron said. "Your mum and I told you Dolly was going to have to stay in her cage."

"But you said I had to look after her if I wanted to keep her," Maddie pointed out. "So I was going to clean her cage, but she got loose and something happened..."

"What happened?" Ron crossed his arms, praying nothing valuable was broken.

"She sort of went into your suitcase," Maddie said, tears welling up in her eyes. "And your shirt...the Chudley Cannons one..."

"Maddie..." Ron said. "Tell me Dolly didn't-"

Maddie gravely nodded. "But she didn't mean to, Daddy. She felt really bad afterwards. Jon helped me put her back in her cage."

Ron's fist clenched. However, he tried to keep his temper down. "All right Maddie," he heard himself say calmly. "You, me and your mum are going to have a talk about whether or not Dolly comes home with us."

"No!" Maddie said, crying. She flung herself at Luna. "Mummy! Please don't make her go! She didn't mean to do it!"

Luna picked her up. "Come on," she said, not wanting to make her daughter upset but she remembered the conversation she'd had with Ron about not letting Maddie have everything. "Let's go talk sweetheart."

"Mum?" Ethan asked. "If they don't let Maddie keep Dolly, can we have her?"

"NO!" Harry, Hermione and Julie chorused.

"But Mummy!" Maddie was sobbing. "Dolly needs me!"

"Maddie," Luna said, wiping a tear from her daughter's face. "Dolly's not been very good has she? So far, she's torn up your father's favourite shirt, wrecked the cabin at Hillsdale and tore up one of your brother's trainers. I don't know how we could keep her, sweetheart."

"But I'll tell her to be good I promise!" Maddie bawled. "I love Dolly!"

"I know you do, Maddie," Luna said gently, hugging her.

"Sweetheart," Ron began. "We know you love Dolly. But Cornish Pixies aren't good pets."

"But Dolly is, Daddy," Maddie tried to reason with him. "She just needs to be trained. Mummy told me all about how you didn't like Paddington when you first got him..."

"No but Paddy was a good dog after he got trained up a bit. You can train dogs. Cornish Pixies are different." Ron said gently.

Maddie's lower lip trembled. "Can't we give her one more chance, Daddy? One more chance? If she messes up then we can give her away. I promise."

Ron looked at Luna. "What do you think?" he asked.

Luna put her hands on Maddie's shoulders. "Okay, Maddie. We'll give Dolly one more chance, but if one thing ends up broken or destroyed or she gets loose again, she's out of here. There will be more chances after that. Okay?"

Maddie swallowed her leftover tears. "Okay Mummy," she nodded. "She'll be good after this."

"Come on, Maddie," Julie said, getting to her feet. "How about I go and help you clean up?"

"Okay," Maddie said. She took Julie's hand and they left the bedroom.

"My favourite shirt," Ron said sinking down onto the bed. "I've had that shirt since they won the Cup six years ago. My favourite shirt, Luna."

Luna patted her husband's arm. "Perhaps there's a way we can get it back together," she said, looking over at Hermione.

"I know some really good spells," Hermione said helpfully. "We'll see what we can do."

"My favourite shirt," Ron said again.

"Ron," Luna said. "Maddie feels bad enough about it."

"I know," Ron said breaking himself out of his reverie. "But let's see how you'd feel if that bloody beast had gotten at your cork necklaces."

"I'd be upset," Luna agreed. "But it's Maddie. And you saw how sorry she was."

"I know," Ron said. "See what the two of you have to look forward to?"

He turned around to see Harry and Hermione who were snogging.

"Don't mind us or anything," Ron said sarcastically.

"Get used to it Uncle Ron," Ethan said dramatically, shaking his head. "They do it all the time."

"Don't I know it," Ron said with a laugh. "Come on, little man. Let's go have some sweets. Eating always makes me feel better."

He nodded. "Especially chocolate."

"You read my mind," Ron said, lifting the younger boy up onto his shoulders. "Come on. Let's go drown our sorrows in chocolate."

Luna shook his head. "I hope we can put that shirt back together," she said to Hermione.

"Hmmm," Hermione said dazedly, pulling away from Harry. "What was that?"

Luna smiled. "Never mind," she said. "But perhaps you shouldn't do this in your daughter's room."

"Probably not," Hermione admitted. "Sorry about that. We got a little carried away."

Luna patted her friend's tummy. "Which is probably how this happened."

"And how," Harry answered proudly.

*** *** ***

Julie stared listlessly at the parchments in front of her. She was still working on party preparations even though her parents had most everything set up already. The RSVP's were pouring back in even though there were still almost two weeks to go but she just couldn't bring herself to care about it. She sighed loudly and it attracted the attention of her mother and aunt, who were sitting at the table with her working on their own things.

"You okay, Jules?" Lavender asked.

She shrugged before pushing the parchment away. "I'm okay," she answered softly.

Lavender and Hermione exchanged worried looks, but neither of them decided to press her on the issue any further.

"So, your mum tells me you have an interview in the next couple of days," Lavender said conversationally.

"Yes she does," Hermione said proudly. "At Kirkland Grammar School in Guilford. This is her second call back."

Julie nodded. "It's a nice school and the other professors there were also quite nice."

"I think you're going to get it," Lavender said grinning at Julie. "How about I get my cards and we do a reading?"

Hermione laughed. "Lavender, you are not going to read her cards. I thought you were over that divination rubbish."

"I don't care," Julie interrupted, getting up. "I'm going to the loo."

Lavender watched as Julie walked out of the kitchen.

"She's not doing well at all," Lavender commented.

Hermione shook her head. "This is the third time she's come out of her room since we got back. She isn't even spending time with the Weasleys. I'm really worried about her."

"She shouldn't be by herself like that," Lavender said. "She should be getting out and having fun. Chiaki should be taking her shopping or they should be at the very least thinking of some really great revenge!"

"She's tried Lav," Hermione said. "Julie did promise to go out shopping with her later this week so there's a start."

"I'm surprised Harry didn't wipe the floor with that Nick," Lavender said angrily. "You know I could have told her that you just can't trust a Malfoy."

"Lav," Hermione said. "Do you think that would have made things any better for her? I doubt it. Best thing to do is just offer her a crying shoulder when she needs one and let it run its course."

"I know," Lavender admitted. "But I just don't like seeing her like this. She's always so energetic and happy and full of life and look at her now..."

Julie re-entered the room. "Sorry," she muttered. "Maddie needed some help with Dolly."

"That's okay, sweetheart," Hermione said giving her a reassuring smile.

"Am I out of the loop here?" Lavender asked. "Who is Dolly?"

"Maddie's Cornish Pixie," Julie answered. "She's a ruddy terror but Maddie loves her."

"A Cornish Pixie?" Lavender asked wincing. "As a pet?"

Julie nodded. "She already tore up Uncle Ron's Cannons shirt. He wasn't too pleased about that."

"I can imagine," Lavender said. "You can grow really attached to your clothes. For instance, I would absolutely die if something happened to my magenta dress robes. They are absolutely brilliant, Jules. Brilliant."

"I'm sure they are," Julie pulled her list back to her and began scribbling along the edge.

"So," Hermione said handing Julie a piece of parchment. "You haven't told me what kind of food you wanted. Your father has his heart set on grilling, but I told him it was up to you."

She shrugged. "Mum... I don't even know if I want to have this party anymore."

"Julie," Hermione said, looking up in surprise. "It's your 20th birthday."

"I know," Julie said. "But I just don't feel like a party."

"You say that now, but once you're around all your family and friends who care about you and want to celebrate your special day, maybe you'll see things differently," Hermione said softly. "I know you're hurting, Julie. I wish I could do something to take away your pain."

"I know Mum," Julie's eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry I'm being such a downer these days. I just can't stop thinking about him."

Hermione quickly walked around the table and hugged her daughter. "I know, sweetheart. It will get easier, Julie. I promise. You're just going to need time."

"That's right," Lavender said. "You'll realise that if he could let you go that easily then he wasn't worth it in the first place."

Julie nodded and hung onto her mother. She felt like she was about five years old again, and had just woken up from a bad dream.

"Lavender's right," Hermione said soothingly. She patted Julie's back. "My sweet girl..."

Julie hugged her for a few more minutes. "I'm okay," she said, wiping away a few tears.

Josh knocked on the kitchen door and stepped inside.

"Julie," Josh asked grinning at her. He saw that she'd been crying, but he decided to go through with his plan anyway. "I need to ask you a big favour."

"Sure," she said.

"How would you feel about spending the day with me and Maddie in the park?" Josh asked. When he saw her open her mouth to decline, he held up his hand. "Come on. Jon is going to be with Allie and I have nothing else to do but watch Drew and Darla fight over who has the best hair and R.J. drool. Come on. You know you want to take pity on me and keep me company while we watch my precocious four-year old sister swing and slide?"

She tried not to smile but couldn't stop herself. "All right," Julie agreed. "Give me a few minutes to straighten myself up?"

"Deal," Josh said smiling at her.

"I'll be down in a few minutes," Julie set her party lists on the counter and left the kitchen.

"Good idea Josh," Hermione said warmly. "Thank you."

"If she said no, I was going to bring Maddie in with the puppy dog eyes and the killer pout," Josh said cheekily. "No one can say no to that."

"Including your father," Hermione laughed.

"He came really close last night," Josh said with a laugh. "Did you happen to see the shirt by the way? I didn't even know you could do that to a shirt."

"Your mum's trying to fix it back up," Hermione replied. "I don't know how she's going to..."

Maddie came into the kitchen just then and she was practically beaming.

"I'm ready to go, Josh," Maddie said happily.

"What did you do?" Josh asked her. "You're up to something, Mad Dog."

"Who me?" Maddie asked innocently, imitating Jon when he was in trouble.

Josh laughed. "Okay, well did Dolly do anything?"

Maddie clamped her lips shut.

"Maddie?" Hermione asked. "You do remember that your mum and dad said if Dolly did anything else, she'd have to go, don't you?"

Josh looked at her. "Madeline..."

Maddie looked around the room to make sure no one was listening. She motioned for Josh to come closer. He did as he was told and Maddie giggled.

"I fixed Daddy's shirt."

"You what?" Josh asked. "You fixed it? How?"

"Aunt Hermione had some spellotape in her office," Maddie said. "I taped it all up, Josh!"

Hermione's jaw dropped and she shared a look with Lavender. "You used up my spellotape sweetheart?"

"Not all of it," Maddie replied. "But most of it. I really needed it, Aunt Hermione."

"It's okay," Hermione tried not to laugh.

"Don't tell, Daddy," Maddie said a serious expression on her face. "I want it to be a surprise."

"I won't say a word," Josh promised. "When are you going to give it to him Mad dog?"

"Tonight when he gets back from flying," Maddie said grinning. "He's going to be surprised, won't he?"

"I think he'll be very surprised," Hermione agreed with a grin. "What a sweet girl you are," she picked Maddie up and nuzzled her cheek.

Maddie beamed. "You're not going to tell my Daddy or Mummy, right?"

"I promise I won't," Hermione replied. "You go have fun at the park all right?"

"Okay," Maddie said. "We're going to make Julie happy, aren't we Josh?"

"We'll try Mad Dog," Josh replied. "Ready Jules?" he asked as she came back into the kitchen.

"Yes," Julie said smiling at him. "I don't know how much fun I'll be..."

"You'll be fine," Josh said.

"You can push me on the swing!" Maddie said excitedly. "And go down the slide!"

"And buy you an ice cream?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Chocolate!" Maddie crowed happily.

"I say Josh buys," Julie said with a grin.

"Its better when he buys," Maddie agreed.

"Hey!" Josh said.

"You did invite them," Lavender pointed out. "So technically you should pay."

Josh was grinning. "I know," he picked Maddie up. "How about a piggyback ride?"

Maddie giggled as Josh carried her out of the house. Julie pecked her mother on the cheek and gave Lavender a hug before walking out behind Maddie and Josh.

"It's a shame he's not a few years older," Lavender said with a grin. "He's such a sweetheart."

"He is," Hermione agreed. "I'm glad he got her out of the house."

"So am I," Lavender said. "If anyone can make her feel better, it's those two."

"Maddie can definitely make anyone laugh," Hermione smiled as she sat back down. "Where's Seamus today?"

"Well, he was going to go flying with Ron, but he wanted to check in with his parents in Ireland," Lavender replied. "He hasn't seen them in quite some time and he wanted to give them the news about the wedding. I'm supposed to join them for dinner tonight."

"How lovely," Hermione said. "I can't believe you two are getting married, after all this time apart."

"Neither can I," Lavender said dreamily. "I was such an idiot..."

"You're a lucky idiot," Hermione teased. "How many guys would do what Seamus has done?"

"Take me back after what I did?" Lavender asked with a laugh. "Not too many."

She grinned. "Last night, we were looking at..."

Her voice trailed off and she looked away. She hadn't mentioned her moving to Los Angeles to Hermione yet. For some reason, she just couldn't bring herself to tell her.

"Looking at what?" Hermione asked, looking up from the list in front of her.

"Nothing," Lavender said dismissively. "So..."

Hermione tilted her head to the side. "What?"

"We were looking at some estate listings," Lavender answered. "We wanted to get our own place...together."

Hermione smiled. "That's fantastic," she said.

"That's not all," Lavender said quietly. "We sort of...well, we're sort of looking at places in..."

"Where?" Hermione asked when Lavender mumbled something unintelligible.

"California," Lavender said softly. "We're looking at places in California."

For a moment she thought she hadn't heard her cousin right. "Did you say you're moving to California?"

Lavender's lower lip trembled as she looked up and nodded.

"Oh Lav," Hermione said softly. "You're moving away..."

Lavender sobbed and hugged Hermione. "I don't want to leave you, Hermione. Maybe you and Harry and Julie and Ethan can come with us and we can all live together..."

"Lav..." Hermione hugged her cousin back. "You know that's not possible. I'm happy for you."

"You're my best friend!" Lavender said burying her face in Hermione's shoulder. "How many times have I come over here in the middle of the night complaining to you about something or crying on your shoulder?"

"You're my best friend too," Hermione said. "And you've come over here at least twice a week. But this is good for you. You're with Seamus, who you've loved for a long time. You're going to marry him soon."

"But you're my family," Lavender said in between sobs. "I can't imagine leaving you."

"Well you'll come back to visit right?" Hermione asked. "Especially when this one is born?" she patted her stomach.

"Of course I will," Lavender said as she wiped a tear from her cheek. "You couldn't keep me away!'

"There's a benefit right there of having magic at our disposal," Hermione smiled. "You can Floo back, or portkey. No long plane rides or anything."

"You're right!" Lavender said happily. "I hadn't even thought about it! So when I have another crisis, I can just come by like I always did."

Hermione laughed. "I doubt you'll have to come running to me anymore if you've got Seamus."

"Oh he doesn't understand about all my...drama like you do," Lavender said with a grin.

"No man understands your drama Lavender," Hermione teased, hugging her cousin again.

"Which is why I have you," Lavender said simply.

"Exactly," Hermione said.

"And you had better come and visit me, too," Lavender said sternly. "I mean it, Hermione. I will not take any excuses."

"We'll be there with bells on," Hermione promised. "Once you get used to the city we'll come for a tour."

"You've got a deal," Lavender said, hugging her once more. "Okay, well that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be."

"Did you think I was going to have a fit and demand you not go?" Hermione teased.

Lavender blushed. "I sort of did..."

She laughed. "Would you like me to anyways?"

Lavender grinned. "Well you're pregnant and all, so I don't want you to throw yourself at my feet or anything, but you could beg me not to go and tell me how much you depend on me and how much I mean to you. That would be great...."

"Don't count on it," Hermione replied. "I'll miss you of course but it's not like I'll never see you again."

"Oh okay," Lavender said. "I suppose you're right. That would be a little too dramatic, wouldn't it?"

"You've always been one for dramatics not me," Hermione said smiling.

"Yes, but you've had such exciting things happen to you," Lavender pointed out. "You married the most eligible bachelor in our world. You're the Minister for Magic, for Merlin's sake! And you even had a stalker, Hermione! I mean, not that I'd want one of course, but still..."

Hermione shook her head. "It's not like I asked for Gordon. I probably deserved it after being so blind and not listening to Harry but still..."

"He was really creepy," Lavender interjected. "He's still in St. Mungos, isn't he?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "I never told Harry this but I check up on him once in awhile. I haven't seen him since the one time Harry and I went, but I have checked up to make sure... he's not getting out anytime soon."

"Is he any better?" Lavender asked. "Or still as delusional as ever/"

"He's still the same as he ever was," Hermione replied. "It's almost as if karma caught up to him and he memory charmed himself, even though that's not what happened.

Lavender nodded. "I was so proud of you with how you handled all of that, Hermione. You were so brave."

"I certainly didn't feel so brave when I was trapped in that bedroom of his with no wand," Hermione said wryly.

Lavender reached across the table and took her cousin's hand. "You fought though, Hermione. You fought with everything you had to get out of there."

"I did," Hermione said. "I had Harry waiting for me."

"That you did," Lavender said. "Speaking of which where is the Boy Who Lived? Back to work?"

"This morning," Hermione nodded.

"And what about you?" Lavender asked. "I would have thought you'd have been back in the office right away."

"I have to go in this afternoon," Hermione said. "I thought I'd take the morning to try and help Julie plan some of her party."

"You still thinking about hiring a nanny?" Lavender asked.

"We're going to have to," Hermione said. "Especially since I'm pregnant again."

"I'm sure you'll have all sorts applying for that job," Lavender said. "You'll have all those Potter groupies applying..."

"That's the problem," Hermione sighed. "They're all just people wanting to get close to me, or to Harry. We even had one applicant there just to hit on Julie."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "You're kidding!"

"Unfortunately not," Hermione said. "I'm hoping someone will turn up soon. Primary school only keeps Ethan occupied for part of the day. We need someone here for him because Harry and I both have a busy fall ahead of us and won't be home as much."

"Too bad you can't get your own very Mary Poppins," Lavender said laughing.

Hermione laughed too. "I'm sure he or she will find us someday. There's a nanny out there with our names on them."

Lavender giggled. "How grown up are we? It seems like just yesterday, you and I were talking about finding a boyfriend. Okay, so maybe it was me...and you just listened...

Hermione smiled. "Time flies doesn't it? Sometimes I still can't believe I have two kids... well soon to have three kids."

"With the way the two of you are, I'm surprised you don't have 12 kids," Lavender deadpanned.

"Thank goodness for Wizarding birth control spells," Hermione agreed devilishly.

"I wonder if the Daily Prophet knows the Minister for Magic is nothing but a Nymphomaniac," Lavender teased.

"That would most definitely be front page news," Hermione replied lightly, not letting herself recall the vicious reporters at Hillsdale.

"Your secret is safe with me," Lavender said.

"Good," Hermione agreed. "Because I'm sure I could tell them a tale or two about you that would have their heads spinning for a week."

"You wouldn't?" Lavender asked frowning.

Hermione giggled. "You'll never know!"

23. Hook

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed. As always, you know we appreciate that! We even managed to respond to some reviews---on a Tuesday even! Not a whole lot happens in this chapter...some of you might see it as filler, but we think you'll fall in love with the adorable Maddie Weasley in this one. Enjoy!

Blues Traveler - Hook

It doesn't matter what I say

So long as I sing with inflection

That makes you feel that I'll convey

Some inner truth of vast reflection

But I've said nothing so far

And I can keep it up as long as it takes

And it don't matter who you are

If I'm doing my job, it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back

I ain't tellin' you no lie

The hook brings you back

On that you can rely

Upon arriving in London, Nick found that his parents had frozen his assets. He was unable to obtain any money in Gringotts. He and Greta didn't have enough money together to even get a room at The Leaky Cauldron. Nick had never before had to deal with not having money. Worst of all, he felt bad for Greta. She'd followed him here and he had no way to provide for them.

All of his friends were in Sydney and he didn't know anyone other than the Weasleys in England. He couldn't very well go crawling back to Ron and Luna after what he'd done to Julie. They'd probably slam the door in his face.

He and Greta were sharing a sandwich in The Leaky Cauldron at the moment and they'd have to scrounge around for the money just to buy that. Nick was nearly at the end of his rope when he remembered something he'd taken with him before he left.

Greta pulled a confused face as Nick scrabbled around in his bag for something.

"What are you looking for dear?" she asked.

"My Nana," Nick began, as he looked in the bag. "Wrote some letters to me while I was growing up. Mum hid them from me, of course. But before we left, I nicked them from her closet. A-ha! Here they are!"

Greta leaned forward and looked at the flowery script. "She sounds like a lovely woman," she said, her eyes skimming over the words.

"I only met her just that one time, but she was really nice. Much more like a grandmother than Dad's Mum. She lives in Ottery St. Catchpole," Nick said, reading the address from one of the envelopes. "They call their home The Burrow."

Greta smiled. "Will we go there?"

The smile on Nick's face faltered a bit. "I don't know. Do you think we should? I mean, I only met her that one time, Greta. What if Uncle Ron and Julie told her what an arse I was and she doesn't want to have anything to do with me?"

"Nick if they're your family, they'll forgive you." Greta said, putting her hand over his.

"I guess it's worth a shot," Nick said. "The worst she could do is slam the door in my face, right?"

"I doubt she will," Greta put down another letter. "She sounds like she cares very much about you."

"That's just it, Greta," Nick said with a smile. "She doesn't even know me--not really. But she treated me as if she'd known me all my life. She gave me a hug that nearly had me begging for oxygen."

Greta laughed. "She sounds like me."

"She's very much like you," Nick said. He drained the rest of his butterbeer. "So, do you really think this is a good idea?"

"It seems to be our only idea dear boy," Greta nodded.

Nick nodded. "We should probably get a move on then."

While Greta went to the loo, he grabbed one of the notes that had the address on it and went up to the bar. "Excuse me sir," he said. "I wondered if you could tell me how to find this address?"

"Why that's no problem at all," the cheery looking bartender said. "Just go outside here and stick your wand out into the street. The Knight Bus will pick you up immediately." he peered more closely at him. "Are you Nick Malfoy?"

"Yes," Nick said quietly. "But I really don't see what that..."

"Oh Merlin!" a teenage witch nearby gasped, staring at him.

Nick sighed and put his head in his hands.

"Would you mind autographing this?" she asked, handing him a magazine. "I can't believe you're really here!"

"Sure," Nick said, taking the Witch Weekly from her. "Have you got something to write with?"

The girl stared up at him with a dazed expression on her face. The bartender laughed and handed Nick a quill.

"Could you make it out to Natalie?" she asked with a nervous grin.

"Sure," Nick forced a smile onto his face and scrawled across the glossy pages.

When he handed the magazine back to the girl she practically swooned. Greta came back and tried to hide a laugh. She was used to seeing young girls act this way around him.

"Can I have one of those, too?" Greta asked teasingly.

"You have the real thing," Nick joked, his smile genuine. "Come on, before I get swarmed."

Meanwhile at the Burrow, Molly was just putting dinner on the table. Even though she only cooked for two these days, she always seemed to make enough for a small army on the off chance that one of her children or grandchildren might stop by unexpectedly. .

"Beef stew," Arthur said grinning at his wife as he sat down. "My favourite!"

Molly smiled. "It's so quiet around here," she sighed. "I'm still used to having all of them here Arthur."

"I know, Molly," Arthur said, affectionately patting her arm. "I was worried that you wouldn't let Maddie and R.J. go when we had them at the beginning of the holiday."

"I'd like to get them back," Molly replied, sitting down. "At least Ron promised to come with the whole group before they go back to Ireland. He's such a good boy."

"I think he's coming for your cooking," Arthur teased. "With stew like this, who can blame him?"

They laughed and were about to tuck into their meal when there was a knock on the door. "I'll get it," Molly said, easing herself back up.

Nick looked apprehensively at Greta. "No one's home. Perhaps we should just go...."

"No, you don't," Greta said, pushing him back toward the door. "I can hear footsteps."

Molly opened the door and for a moment thought she was seeing an illusion. "Nicholas?" she asked.

"Hi, Nana," Nick said nervously. "I'm sorry for just dropping by like-"

His words were cut off when Molly embraced him in a warm hug.

"Oh sweetheart," Molly said, tears coming into her eyes. "I didn't expect to see you so soon!"

Nick smiled and hugged her back. "We had no place else to go, Nana."

"What do you mean?" Molly pulled back and looked at her grandson. She suddenly noticed the old woman standing behind him. "Oh please forgive me," she said. "I'm Molly Weasley."

"I'm Greta Daniels," Greta said politely. "I've heard loads about you from Nick."

"It's lovely to meet you," Molly said. "Please come in..."

Nick and Greta stepped inside and set their bags by the door.

"Molly?" Arthur called out. "Dinner's getting cold..."

"Are you both hungry? Molly fussed. "I'm sure you are, and I've got fresh baked bread and some beef stew."

"I don't want to put you to any trouble," Greta said. "We don't want to impose."

"Molly?" Arthur asked coming out of the kitchen. He smiled when he saw they had company. Nick looked over at him wondering what he should say or do. Arthur slowly walked over to him and with a serious face said, "So you're Nicholas, I take it?"

"Yes sir," Nick shook his hand.

Arthur beamed and shook his head. "Give us a hug, Nicholas."

Nick couldn't stop himself from grinning as his grandfather embraced him "It's good to finally meet you," he said.

"Too right," Arthur said, pulling back so he could look at him. "My grandson."

Greta was looking at the photos around the room. Her heart swelled as she saw a baby photo of Nick.

"That's the only picture Ginny ever sent to us of him," Molly said softly.

Greta nodded. "They weren't the easiest people to get along with, or work for," she said. "I'm sorry that they haven't let Nick be a part of your lives."

"Me too," Molly said thoughtfully. "But at least he's here now. That's all that matters."

"So tell me, Nick," Arthur said, putting an arm around his grandson and leading him back into the kitchen. "How much do you know about Muggles?"

"Not a lot," Nick said ruefully. "My dad hates them."

"After dinner, I am going to have to take you to my workshop out back," Arthur said gleefully. "I have so many things to show you..."

Molly rolled her eyes. "You don't have to do that, Nick. If you go back there, we may never see you again."

Nick laughed. "I don't mind," he said.

Over dinner, which was excellent, Nick told them what had happened at Hillsdale. "So I left," he finished. "Greta was good enough to come with me."

"I can't believe Ginny would so something like that," Molly said shaking her head. "Truth be told, I've always had a bit of a blind spot where she was concerned, but to do that to you, Nick...that's just not right."

He shrugged. "Greta's been more of a Mum to me than she has." he replied. "I barely remember my dad even being around most of the time."

"I'm glad that he had you," Molly said smiling across the table at Greta. "You're a good boy, Nick and I'm very proud to call you a part of my family."

"Here, here!" Arthur agreed, raising his glass.

"Thank you Nana," for the first time all day, Nick felt happy. "Now I just have to convince everyone else that I'm not a bad guy. Again."

"They'll understand," Molly said encouragingly. "When they find out why you had to do what you did, Nick."

"I hope Julie understands," Nick said softly.

"She will," Molly said. "Her birthday party is coming up soon."

"I know," Nick said. "I need to talk to her before then."

"How are you going to do that?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know yet," Nick played with a few crumbs on his plate. "I didn't count on meeting her you know? But now I can't get her out of my head."

Molly smiled. "Well, you'll have plenty of time to plan on that. But you know what I think you need? A good night's rest. You and Greta can stay here with us for as long as you need."

"Thank you Nana," Nick said in relief.

"You don't have to thank me, Nick," Molly said, giving him a hug. "We're family. That's what families do."

Nick nodded and hugged her back. For the first time since they'd arrived, he was hopeful that things would actually work out.

*** *** ***

The sitting room at the Potters’ residence could currently be described as busy. Ron, Harry, Jon, Allie, Ethan and Maddie were listening to a Quidditch match on the Wireless. Josh and Julie were on the floor by the fireplace making plans for her party while Neville, Cho, Chiaki and Toshio were sitting on the sofa talking about the wedding. Hermione was in the kitchen making some tea and Luna was helping her.

”So my dad and Neville are cooking,” Julie said to Josh. “But they wanted your Nana to make the cake.”

"She's going to go all out, you realise that don't you?" Josh asked. "She made that four-tier cake for Dad's last birthday. It was brilliant!"

Julie smiled at him. "She's really fantastic about things like that."

"She lives for stuff like that," Josh said with a laugh. "And look at there, Jules. I've made you smile---six times today!"

She laughed. "Josh!"

"Seven if you count the time that you laughed like a hyena when Maddie pushed me out of the swing," Josh said pretending to be affronted. "Didn't even ask if I was okay just stood there chuckling like a mad woman..."

Julie couldn't help it and started laughing harder. "If you'd seen the look on your face..."

"You'd look like that too if a four-year old knocked you off of a swing, too," Josh said, joining in her laughter. "Promise me you won't tell anyone about that. I have a reputation to protect after all."

"Not a word," Julie promised. "Thanks Josh. It feels good to laugh."

Josh nodded. "It's good to hear you laugh again."

They smiled at each other, but both nearly jumped out of their skins when the crowd around the Wireless erupted in boos and groans.

"That bloody idiot!" Ron screamed. "Of all the mindless, stupid, senseless, fu-"

"RONALD!" Luna yelled from the kitchen.

Ron visibly turned red. "Sorry dear," he called meekly.

Maddie tugged at her father's shirt. "Daddy, I have a surprise for you after the game."

"You do sweetheart?" Ron asked his daughter. "Dolly didn't get into my suitcase again did she?"

Maddie shook her head. "Dolly's been good all day."

"You're definitely going to be surprised, Dad," Jon said from the sofa. He was sitting beside Allie and they were sharing a bowl of popcorn.

"Don't tell him, Jon!" Maddie hissed at her brother. "It's a secret!"

"I wasn't going to Mad Dog," Jon made a face at his sister.

Maddie smiled and sat back down on her father's lap as they waited for the game to start back up again.

Allison laughed as Jon kept throwing popcorn up into the air and trying to catch them in his mouth.

"You are really terrible at that, Jon," Allison teased. "You've missed every one!'

"Hey I'm trying," Jon tossed a kernel at her.

Allison caught it in her mouth and looked smugly at him. "Beginner's luck."

"Sod it," Jon tossed another at her.

Again, Allison caught it in her mouth and laughed as Jon set the bowl back on the coffee table. She snuggled up close to him as they listened to the game.

"Your sister keeps looking over here at us," Jon whispered in her ear.

"She's jealous," Allison whispered. "She spent the whole ride home complaining about how I get to date and she doesn't."

"I for one am very glad that you get to date," Jon teased. He made sure that Neville wasn't looking and he pecked Allison on the cheek.

"Surely you can do better than that Weasley," Allison challenged.

"Your dad is right over there," Jon said motioning to Neville. "My dad is right there. And your sister is watching us."

"What's your point?" Allison whispered, making her eyes go wide. Chiaki had told her that it drove guys nuts when girls did that.

Jon smiled. "I, um, well I think we should probably find someplace to be alone where we could...you know...talk...you know... or not talk..."

"Not talk would be better," Allison said, leaning in the tiniest bit.

"So," Jon said, feeling quite hot at the moment. "I guess I could go first and then you could...um...follow me?"

"Okay," she smiled at him. "Where will you be?"

"Any ideas?" Jon asked. "Inside? Outside?"

"You're the one staying here," Allison boldly put her hand on his thigh.

Jon honestly didn't care where they went at the moment. He wanted to kiss her so badly. "How about …outside? The gazebo in the garden?"

"Works for me," Allison squeezed his leg the tiniest bit.

Jon winked at her as he excused himself and walked out of the sitting room. A few minutes passed and then Allison stood up.

"Where are you going, sweetheart?" Cho asked.

"Um..." Allison smiled at her mother. "Just... to the loo."

"Are you okay?" Cho asked. "You look a bit flushed."

"I'm fine," Allison said. "I'll... be back..."

Cho nodded and watched as Allison nearly ran from the room. She saw Frankie start to follow her and she quickly got up from her chair. "Okay, Miss. Where do you think you're going?"

"To the loo!" Frankie said.

"No, you're not," Chiaki said shaking her head. "You were going to follow Allie."

Frankie crossed her arms. "It's not fair Mum. You know she was going to meet Jon!"

"You little nark," Chiaki looked up.

"I am not!" Frankie said scowling at her sister. "I just wanted to spend some quality time with my sister is all..."

"You wanted to spy on your sister is all," Chiaki interjected.

"Frankie sit down," Neville said. "Leave Allie and Jon alone."

"Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" Cho poked her husband teasingly.

"Maybe," Neville teased. "But I trust my daughter. And I know that Jon isn't so stupid that he'd try anything funny with all us here. I'm not crazy about it, mind you, but I'll put up with it."

"Okay, who are you and where were you when Chiaki and I started dating?" Toshio asked.

Chiaki started laughing, as did Cho. "I remember that," Chiaki said. "You stayed up waiting at the door until he dropped me off!"

"And greeted us with his wand at the ready," Toshio remembered, shuddering. "You were quite scary, Mr. Longbottom."

"Were?" Neville asked. "You mean I'm not anymore?"

"Of course you're scary Dad," Chiaki leaned against him.

"Thank you, Chiaki," Neville said, putting an arm around her.

"Why is it that dads care so much about their daughters dating and growing up but they hardly bat an eyelash about their sons," Julie commented to Josh. "Look at your dad, Josh. His son is out there snogging with Allie and he could care less. If this were five years later and either Drew or Darla were out there, he'd be ready to blow his top."

"It must be a girl thing then," Josh replied. "And I'm sure he cares, but he trusts Jon not to push Allie into anything. Not that he would... he really cares about her." his eyes took on a faraway look as he looked at the doorway where Jon and Allison had disappeared.

Julie put a hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, Josh. In all my worry over Nick, I forgot all about what happened with the three of you. Are you okay with all of that?"

Josh nodded. "I just want her to be happy Jules. Just like I want you to be happy."

"Well, I think Allie's very happy," Julie said softly. "As for me..."

"You're probably better off than me," Josh gave her a smile. "Being shot down by two girls in one holiday... I'm the one that should be feeling sorry for myself," he teased.

Julie frowned. "You're right...that is pretty bad."

"I'm a right sob story," Josh said. "Had my heart broken..."

Julie stifled a giggle. "Twice..."

"You find that funny do you?" Josh grinned at her. "And now I'm making you laugh as well as smile. I'm on a roll."

Julie crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it at him. "That's because you're a goofball."

Josh tossed the paper into the fireplace. "I'm a goofball that makes you laugh, admit it."

"Yes," Julie said, giving him a hug. "You do. Thank you, Josh."

"Anytime Jules," Josh said. "I mean that. I'd still do just about anything for you."

Julie beamed at him. She still thought about Nick nearly every minute of the day, but being with Maddie and Josh today had really been fun. For the first time in days, she'd actually laughed and had a good time.

"I'd do just about anything for you, too," Julie said sincerely.

Josh shook his head. "If you'd only said that at the beginning of the holiday," he said making a face so she would know he wasn't being serious.

"If only," Julie said dramatically. "Come on, Weasley! Let's go get something to eat. I'm starving!"

"All right," Josh helped her gather her party plans up and they went into the kitchen.

"What a rotten game," Ron declared as the match came to an end. "That bloody fu-"

"Daddy!" Maddie put her hands over his mouth. "You were going to say a bad word!"

Ron looked innocently at his daughter. "I was going to say it was a bloody fun game to watch, Maddie."

"No you weren't Daddy." Maddie said. "You can't lie to me." she took on the tone he often did with one of her siblings.

Ron looked sheepishly at her. "Okay, maybe I was, but you stopped me, Madeline. Which reminds me...where is my surprise?"

"I'll get it Daddy!" Maddie said. She couldn't wait to show her father how she'd fixed up his favourite shirt. She retrieved it quickly and held it behind her back. "Close your eyes!"

Ron grinned and did as he was told. Everyone gathered around to see what the surprise was. Luna and Hermione exchanged a look as Maddie placed the shirt in Ron's hands.

"Okay, Daddy!" Maddie exclaimed happily. "You can open 'em now!"

Ron opened his eyes and stared down at his hands. "What..." he held the spellotaped mess of a shirt up and began to laugh.

Maddie's face fell. "You don't like it..."

"No sweetheart," Ron pulled his daughter into his arms. "I love it." he gave her a kiss. "Thank you." he hugged her tightly.

"I did it all by myself!" Maddie said proudly. "And it looks as good as new, doesn't it?"

"It looks better than new," Ron began laughing again, so hard that tears leaked from his eyes.

Luna came forward and took Maddie from Ron. "That was a very sweet thing you did, Maddie."

"You can wear it to Julie's party!" Maddie said excitedly over her shoulder to Ron.

"I'll certainly think about it sweetheart," Ron replied.

Luna kissed Maddie on the cheek and put her back down. Maddie ran into the kitchen to tell Julie and Josh what had just happened.

"Ron," Luna said. "You have to wear it..."

"I don't know if I can," Ron tried to find some of way to put it on. "Besides... isn't the party going to be more formal?"

"Yes," Harry was still chuckling as he took the shirt from his best friend.

"You can wear a jacket over it," Luna protested. "You saw her face, Ronald. She'd be crushed if you didn't."

Ron finally pulled the spellotaped shirt on. "There," he said triumphantly.

"You've never looked better, Dad," Drew called out.

"Daddy!" Maddie shrieked in excitement upon coming back in the room.

Ron laughed and spun his daughter around. "I told you, I'd wear it, didn't I?"

Maddie laughed as her blonde curls flew behind her. "And you look very handsome too Daddy!"

Hermione smiled as she watched the scene before her. "That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen in my life," she said to Harry.

"Aye," Harry agreed, putting an arm over her shoulders. "She idolises him... for some strange reason."

"Ethan feels the same way about you," Hermione said. She patted her tummy. "And I'm sure this one will too."

He grinned at her. "I still can't believe we're having another baby."

"We are," Hermione said. "I imagine we won't be this happy when she's teething or has the croup or when she has dirty nappies..." She started to laugh. "Do you remember the first time you changed Julie?"

Harry laughed. "Do I ever!"

"You can take on dark forces of all kinds, but The Boy Who Lived couldn't change a teeny little baby," Hermione said still giggling. "It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen."

"I'm sure it was, because you weren't all covered in baby number two," Harry replied, poking her side.

"True," Hermione admitted. "But it was still funny."

"Twenty years later, yes it's funny," Harry replied.

"Well, look at it this way. This is our third time as parents. We're going to be old pros now," Hermione said.

"Quite," Harry agreed. "The next few months couldn't go by quick enough for me."

"Yes, well you're not the one who has to get all big and will have to waddle everywhere they go," Hermione said, glaring at him, but there was a gleam in her eyes.

Harry laughed at her. "You seem to have forgotten the foot massages, and the service you get from yours truly."

"Oh, and that time you went out and bought me chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream at three in the morning," Hermione said dreamily. "That was above and beyond the call of duty, Potter."

"That's because I love you," Harry said, nudging her ear with his nose. "You made my life worth living."

"I do?" Hermione asked softly.

"You do," Harry nodded. "You, Julie, Ethan and this little one," he put his hand on her stomach.

"We love you, too," Hermione whispered, touching his cheek.

Harry leaned in and kissed her. "What say we sneak off for a little while?" he asked huskily.

"Like we used to do?" Hermione asked. "I think that could be arranged."

"Good," Harry nibbled a little on her neck.

"Come on, then," Hermione said with a wink as she led him upstairs.

*** *** ***

Molly walked into the sitting room and saw Nick sitting on the sofa, writing something in a notebook. She smiled warmly at him as she sat down in her favourite chair. She was thinking she'd get to work on the quilt she was making for Maddie.

"What are you working on so hard?" Molly asked conversationally as she began to sew.

"Oh it's a song," Nick said, a bit shyly. "It's... it's for Julie, for her birthday."

Molly smiled. "I'm sure she'll love it."

"I just hope she still loves me," Nick said quietly. "I really messed up Nana."

"But your heart was in the right place," Molly said reassuringly. "You were put in a difficult position, Nick. I'm sure that once Julie finds out what happened, she'll understand."

"Yeah but you didn't see the look on her face," Nick replied. "Or hear the horrible things I said to her. It's like my dad was channelling through me."

Molly sighed. She couldn't understand what would make Ginny do this to her son. It was incomprehensible to Molly. "You know what you need to do? Talk to Ronald. He's staying with Julie's family."

Nick nodded. "He's been really amazing to me," he said. "Everyone was."

"Ronald will know what to do," Molly said, setting her quilting aside. "I'll see if we can get him to come over..."

Nick felt a momentary sense of panic- what if his uncle didn't want to see him anymore. "No that's okay..." he said.

"Nonsense," Molly said dismissively. "Ron will be glad to see you, Nicholas. You just leave everything to me."

Nick sat back, his quill growing sweaty in his hand as Molly stuck her head into the fire.

"Oh, Maddie!" Nick heard Molly say. "Yes, dear. That's a very nice picture. No, sweetheart...I don't want to see your Cornish pixie right now. Next time, I promise. Can you go and get your Dad for me, please?"

Ron hoped nothing was wrong as he followed his daughter downstairs. "And Nana said she wants to see you!" Maddie bubbled, still excited over her surprise for her father the night before.

"Okay, Maddie," Ron said, laughing. He smiled at his mother. "Mum? Is everything okay?"

"Hello dear," Molly smiled at her youngest son. "Everything's fine. I wonder if you could pop in here for a little while. There's something here you should see..."

"Did you make my favourite biscuits?" Ron asked excitedly. "Or some of that sweet bread I like so much? Or those..."

"Ronald," Molly laughed. "If you come over I'll make you some chocolate biscuits right now."

"Say no more," Ron said. He knelt down in front of Maddie. "Will you tell Mummy that I had to go and see Nana and I will be back as soon as I can?"

"Okay Daddy," Maddie nodded. "But you have to bring me back a chocolate biscuit! And don't eat it!"

"I promise," Ron said, pecking her on the cheek.

A few moments later, Ron found himself in the sitting room of the Burrow, dusting off the Floo powder. "Okay, Mum. I'm here. Where's the food?"

Molly pinched her son's cheek before engulfing him in a hug. "I have to make the biscuits. It'll only take a little while. In the meantime, there's someone in the other room that wants to talk to you."

"Who?" Ron asked bemusedly, but his mother was already walking into the kitchen.

Nick took a deep breath as he heard his uncle walk down the corridor into the sitting room. "Hi Uncle Ron," he said before the other man could speak.

Ron stared at his nephew somewhat in disbelief. "What...what are you doing here?"

Nick looked down at his quill, which he was twisting in his hands. "I left Australia," he said. "I left my parents. They tricked me and I couldn't take it anymore."

"They tricked you?" Ron asked, the expression on his face unreadable. "You left Sydney?"

"Yeah," Nick nodded as his uncle sat down. "I'm... I'm sure you know that I broke up with Julie," he began tentatively.

"Aye," Ron said, still not sure what to make of any of this.

"Does she hate me?" Nick strayed from his story for a moment and asked a question he'd been dying to ask since he left Hillsdale.

"I don't think so," Ron said thoughtfully. "She's hurting, Nick."

"You don't think she hates me?" Nick asked, eagerly.

"Well, right after it happened---Ethan and Josh were thinking of sending you Dungbombs in the post," Ron said. "And she told them not to...that's something."

"Oh," Nick deflated a bit. "Well... okay well... the reason that I did what I did is because my parents were going to sack Greta and ruin her reputation so that she could never get another job. I couldn't let them do that to her. So they told me if I broke things off with Julie, they wouldn't sack her."

Ron's mouth fell open. "They didn't!"

Nick nodded morosely. "So I dumped her in the worst way possible.... and they sacked her anyway. So we left... and they froze my account so I have no money. I'm lucky that Nana and my grandfather are letting me and Greta stay here."

Ron wanted to throttle his sister and her husband for what they'd done. The funny thing was, he wasn't surprised. This was certainly right up their alley. If ever two people deserved each other, it was Ginny and Draco Malfoy.

"Mum must be over the moon that you're here," Ron said, motioning toward the kitchen.

"She's been really fantastic," Nick set his notebook aside. "So has my grandfather. He took me out and showed me all his Muggle artefacts last night."

Ron laughed. "He loves Muggles....always has. How long did he have you out there? Three or four hours?"

"We went out about half past seven and we didn't come back in until midnight," Nick smiled.

"They care about you," Ron said. "Always have. Mum even used to set a place for you and Ginny at the table on holidays. She'd keep saying that this would be the year when you'd both finally come home."

Nick shook his head sighing heavily. "I never knew," he said. "They always told me that you all had disowned us. Until I met you all at Hillsdale, I believed it."

"I won't lie to you, Nicholas," Ron said quietly. "I never liked your father. He's done some horrible things---not just to me, but to our family and to people I care about. Your mum---she wasn't like this when we were growing up. She was actually warm, caring. She and I used to get along so well. We used to say that it was she and I against the world..."

"I can't believe that," Nick shook his head. "You know they never spent any time with me as a kid? If it wasn't for Greta..."

"You should have grown up with your family," Ron said indignantly. "If you'd have grown up around here with all of us around you...”

He sighed heavily. "Look, Nicholas. I can't change what happened. But, you're my nephew. I might not have been there for you in the past, but if you let me, I'd like to be there for you from here on out."

Nick blinked in surprise. "So you're not angry with me?"

"Of course not," Ron said with a grin.

Nick grinned in relief. "That makes me feel a lot better," he replied.

Ron stood up and Nick followed suit. He hugged his nephew. "Welcome to the Weasley family, Nick."

"Thank you," Nick hugged him back. "So... Julie may not hate me but I'm sure her parents do right?"

"They aren't your biggest fans right now," Ron said truthfully. "And Ethan's not too thrilled with you either."

That made Nick's face fall. "I really messed up," he muttered, raking his fingers through his hair.

"Don't beat yourself up over it," Ron said. "Look, Nick. You were put between a rock and a hard place. You need to talk to Julie and try to explain..."

"If she'll even see me," Nick replied. "I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to see me, even though I hope she will. I love her."

Ron smiled. "Well, I have loads of experience with making someone I love mad. I don't know if you know this about me, but I have this horrible habit of putting my foot in mouth..."

"So I heard," Nick laughed. "Josh told me all about it."

"Yes, well I've gotten into trouble loads of times with Luna because of it," Ron said. "And if you haven't noticed, we're still together and we have six children. So, there's hope for you yet, young Malfoy."

"I hope so," Nick replied. "I'd give anything to go back a few days and do it all over."

Ron nodded and patted him on the back. "It'll take some time, but I think you can work this out."

"Will you help me?" Nick asked. "I mean, you don't have to apologise or talk for me, but... if I need help?"

"If you need help, you know where I am," Ron said.

Nick nodded. "That's what I'm afraid of. I don't even know how to approach their place, much less try and talk to Julie or her parents."

"We should probably get Maddie to plead your case," Ron said only half-joking. "No one can say no to that little girl."

"You're right," Nick smiled again. "What's she been up to since we left Hillsdale? I miss her."

"Did you have the pleasure of meeting Dolly?" Ron asked.

"No," Nick shook his head. "That's her Cornish Pixie right?"

"Yes," Ron said rolling his eyes. "Those things should never be kept as pets. That bloody beast has managed to tear up nearly everything in its sight. She even managed to tear up my Cannons shirt that I've had practically forever. That was about the last straw for me, Nick. But Maddie, she was determined to keep Dolly."

"Your Cannons shirt?" Nick's eyebrows were raised. "And you didn't boot the thing out?"

"Oh, I wanted to," Ron said nodding vigorously. "But Maddie started bawling and said we had to give Dolly one more chance. And being the stern, strict father that I am...I said we'd give her one more chance. So far, so good, but I think its only a matter of time. Of course, we've got to be really careful since Hermione's expecting again."

"She is?" that comment made Nick do a double take.

Ron nodded. "She's only about a month along, but they're all really excited about it."

"That's really fantastic," Nick said sincerely.

"Yeah," Ron nodded. "So...you want to see Julie?"

"Yes," Nick said without hesitation.

Ron thought about this for a moment. He knew that what he was about to say could very possibly get him into a great deal of trouble with Harry and Hermione, but he thought that Nick at least deserved the chance to try and explain to Julie.

"Chiaki's taking her out tonight," Ron said quietly. "Julie was talking to Hermione about it this morning at breakfast. They're going to some club called Avalon, I believe."

"Really?" Nick asked eagerly. "So you think I should meet her there and try to explain things?"

"I do," Ron said nodding. "It's worth a shot, right?"

He nodded. "Right. Thanks Uncle Ron."

"You're welcome," Ron said with a smile. "I'm really glad you're here, Nick. I'm proud of you."

"You are?" Nick asked.

"It mustn't have been easy for you to do what you did," Ron replied.

Nick shook his head. “It wasn’t… and it made it even harder when I got here and found out I had no money to speak of. I’m a lot luckier than I should be, by all rights.”

"And you said Greta came with you?" Ron asked. He looked around the room. "Where is she?"

"Grandpa took her out to show her his Muggle car," Nick said.

Ron grinned. "He won't let me near it. I sort of did something to a car he used to have and he hasn't trusted me near one since."

Nick smiled. "They're really great people. I owe them so much already for just letting us stay here."

"Are you kidding me?" Ron asked laughing. "You'll be lucky if she lets you ever leave."

"Well I have to figure out something to do for a job while I'm here," Nick said. "I've never been on my own like this. It's liberating... but it's also really scary."

"Fred and George would probably hire you in a second," Ron said.

Nick grinned. "Well... I was also thinking of branching out on my own with my singing. I don't have a band anymore but I was hoping to try and find someone to sign with."

"You should talk to Seamus," Ron suggested. "He's mostly in films, but he knows loads of people in the industry. I'm sure he could suggest a few people you could talk to..."

"Really?" Nick brightened up.

"Sure," Ron said. The smell of fresh from the oven biscuits filled the room and Ron's eyes clouded over. "What do you say we go and get something to eat?"

"Sounds good to me," Nick agreed. "Nana hasn't stopped feeding me since I got here but I'm hungry."

"See? Spoken like a true Weasley," Ron said, putting an arm around his nephew. "We're always hungry!"

He laughed. "Right," Nick said. "Tell that to Greta though. She's always trying to get me to eat."

Ron stared at him. "Trust me. Living here with Mum, eating won't be a problem."

"Good to know," Nick said, glad his uncle wasn't angry with him. "Thanks again Uncle Ron."

"For what?" Ron asked as they walked into the kitchen.

"For believing me," Nick said. "You've known Julie and all them much longer, and you should hate me for what I did but you don't."

"Well, you're a good kid," Ron said with a shrug. "And if I followed that logic, I'd have believed my sister over my best mate, wouldn't I?"

Nick nodded. "I just hope everyone else is as forgiving."

"They will be," Molly said as she set a plate full of biscuits in front of them. "You just need to give them time."

"I know," Nick took a proffered biscuit. "These are amazing!" he said after taking a large bite.

Molly beamed at him. "Thank you. I have another batch in the oven."

"Maddie wants me to bring her back some," Ron said, his mouth already full.

"I'll make sure to set some aside for her and the others," Molly said, wiping her hands on her apron. "Which reminds me, how are my precious grandchildren?"

"They're fine," Ron said, stuffing another biscuit in his mouth. "I told you about Jon and Allison right?"

Molly shook her head. "Jon fancies Allison Longbottom?"

"More than fancies," Nick laughed.

"Mum they're dating," Ron said.

Molly smiled. "Allison's a lovely girl. Jon couldn't have picked a better match."

Ron nodded. "It's good to see him so happy. And what's even better, is that Jon and Josh are finally getting along."

"They are?" Molly asked somewhat in disbelief.

Ron laughed. "I know, I still can't believe it myself."

"It's about time they started getting along," Molly said smiling. "They're brothers after all."

"Mum this is the best batch you ever made," Ron said as he nearly inhaled what was left on the plate.

Molly laughed. "You say that about every batch..."

"I think he's telling the truth," Nick agreed. "These are the best biscuits, aside from Greta's chocolate ones."

"How about we get Greta in here and have her and Mum do a bake-off or something," Ron said, nearly salivating at the prospect.

"Maybe some other time," Molly said. "You'd better get back to Harry's."

"Right," he took the little package of biscuits from his mother. "And before you say anything, I promise to give these to Maddie without eating any."

"You'd better or I'll never bake anything else for you ever again," Molly said sternly. She hugged her son. "Give everyone my best."

"I will," Ron said. "And Nick, I hope we'll see you soon?" his meaning came through loud and clear.

Nick nodded and smiled at his uncle. "You will."

"Good," he smiled. "I'll see you soon then."

Nick watched his uncle leave and hoped that tonight he'd start healing those wounds. He just hoped it wouldn't be too late.

24. Open Arms

Authors’ note: Thanks to everyone who continues to read and review! We both appreciate it so much. Julie and Nick finally see each other in this chapter---but will she be so quick to forgive? And the junior couple in our story---Jon and Allie---have a nice little moment too. We hope you enjoy the story and as always please read and review!

Open Arms—Journey

So now I come to you, with open arms
Nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms

Harry watched as his wife ran around the kitchen making sure everything was in its place. "Relax will you?" he asked, catching her arm and pulling her to him. "It's just your parents coming over, not the Greek Minister for Magic."

"I want everything to be perfect," Hermione said sheepishly. "This is the first time they'd been over in awhile and I'm just...nervous."

"Why, because you're telling them about the baby?" Harry ran his fingers through her hair. "Everything's fine. The scones are in the oven, you know your dad loves those. And all I have to do is smile at your Mum," he teased.

"Someone's awfully confident," Hermione said with a grin. "You do remember when we told them when I was pregnant with Julie? You were so scared you threw up twice before they arrived. You thought my dad was going to kill you for touching me..."

"That was also twenty years ago," Harry refused to feel intimidated. "By now he knows we shag all the time."

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"What?" he asked, feigning innocence.

"They most certainly do not know that!" Hermione protested. "And I certainly don't think that's something you should bring up when we tell them. I still think my dad likes to believe Ethan and Julie were the product of Immaculate Conception."

Harry laughed. "Whatever you say dear," he kissed her hungrily.

The doorbell chimed and Hermione pulled reluctantly away from her husband. "So, good behaviour, okay?"

"Of course," Harry flashed his grin that never failed to make her go weak at the knees.

Hermione shook her head in amusement as she walked out of the kitchen and down the hall. She nervously patted her stomach before opening up the door.

"Hermione!" Elinore said, giving her daughter a hug.

"HI, Mum!" Hermione said with a laugh.

Robert smiled at his daughter as he kissed her cheek. "How are you, sweetheart?"

"Great," Hermione said, ushering them inside. "Harry's in the kitchen."

Hermione was glad that Ron and Luna had volunteered yet again to take all the kids out for dinner. Julie was also out of the house on a girls' night out with Chiaki. Hermione was glad to see her daughter out and about and not moping in her room.

"How was Hillsdale?" Elinore asked. "Did you all have a lovely time?"

"We did," Hermione said happily. "And it looks so much better since Steve took things over. You two should definitely go back yourselves."

"We've got that cruise coming up," Robert said. "Ellie and I are looking forward to it."

Hermione led them into the kitchen and shared a secret smile with Harry.

"Hello, Harry," Elinore said warmly. "Something smells delicious!"

"That would be my scones," Harry said, hugging his mother in law. "You look fantastic, Elinore," he said charmingly.

Elinore beamed at him. "You're just being nice, but I appreciate it just the same."

"It's a shame Julie and Ethan aren't here," Robert said frowning. "We never get to see them anymore."

"You'll get to see Julie at the party Dad," Hermione said as Harry took the pan of scones from the oven. "She's had a tough time of things lately."

Elinore pulled a concerned face. "She hasn't heard back from any of those schools? Oh, Hermione! I can't believe that those schools wouldn't be fighting over her. She's fantastic with children and as smart and clever as her mother."

"That's not it Mum," Hermione said. "I wish that's all it was."

"What is it?" Robert asked. "Is she still upset about Ryan?"

Harry shook his head as he set the glass dish of jam on the table along with the warm scones. "She met someone at Hillsdale..."

"He was the son of that awful Draco Malfoy," Hermione interrupted. "And he broke her heart."

"Oh," Elinore said. "That's terrible."

"Where is this boy?" Robert asked angrily. "Hurting my granddaughter..."

"Back in Australia," Hermione said, shaking her head.

"She deserves so much better," Elinore said as she sat down at the kitchen table. "She's smart, funny, and beautiful. First, this Ryan--and now this horrible Malfoy bloke."

"I know," Harry said. "I wanted to kill him when he wouldn't even look me in the eye."

"She's doing much better now," Hermione said. "She wouldn't come out of her room at first, but having the Weasleys here has done a world of good. And she's gone out with Chiaki tonight."

"Good," Elinore said. "I'm glad to hear she's okay. She's a wonderful girl."

"What about the little man?" Robert asked. "How's he doing?"

"Ethan's fine," Hermione said, smiling. "You'll be proud to know he got perfect marks on his last term in school."

"It runs in the family," Robert said proudly.

"Yes it does," Harry said, looking at his wife.

"Hermione?" Elinore asked. "You look a little pale, sweetheart. Is everything okay?"

Hermione smiled and took Harry's hand. "Everything's perfect, actually."

Harry grinned. "We're glad you both came over. We wanted to tell you both in private that we're having another baby."

"Another baby?" Elinore squealed. "Really?"

Hermione grinned. "We just found out the day we got back. I'm only about a month along."

"This is fantastic," Elinore said, getting up to hug her daughter. "Another grandchild!"

Robert shook Harry's hand. "Making me a grandfather again aye?"

"They say good things come in threes, right?" Harry joked.

"That's right," Robert smiled at his son in law.

Hermione stood between her husband and father and just shook her head. "Did you ever think we'd be here like this after all that happened when we were at Hillsdale?"

"Eventually, yes," Harry slid an arm over her shoulders.

"I wish I could say the same," Robert said truthfully. "I wasn't ready to see my little girl grow up and she seemed to do it all in one summer."

"Dad..."

Elinore laughed. "Hermione, in his eyes you still haven't grown up," she teased.

"Well, I'm sure Harry feels the same way about Julie," Robert said defensively. "I'm just saying that it wasn't easy to watch my daughter sneak around and lie to me."

"Dad!" Hermione said, turning red in the face.

"But that's all in the past now," Elinore said playing peacekeeper. "Right, Robert?"

"Of course," Robert said. "Sorry sweetheart."

"I didn't like sneaking around and lying, Dad," Hermione admitted. "It wasn't easy for me, either."

"It wasn't," Harry confirmed.

"I don't know why I suddenly started bringing all this up," Robert said apologetically. "I guess it was talking about Hillsdale..."

"Yeah," Hermione smiled. "Wish we could have spent an extra two weeks there. That month went by entirely too fast."

"Apparently," Elinore teased, patting Hermione's tummy.

"We all think it's a girl," Harry grinned. "Ethan's especially excited."

"We have so much to plan!" Elinore said clapping her hands together. "Eight months isn't that much time, Hermione. You're going to have to think about the nursery, of course. And we'll need to go shopping for maternity clothes..."

"I still have some of my maternity clothes," Hermione said. "But nursery, definitely."

Elinore took Hermione by the arm and led her into the sitting room leaving Harry and Robert in the kitchen.

"So," Robert said.

Harry looked up at his father in law, wondering what was on his mind.

"How's work?" Robert asked when he couldn't think of anything else to say.

"It's great," Harry replied. "Hard to get back into after being gone on holiday."

Robert nodded. "I hope I didn't open up an old can of worms with what I said a few minutes ago, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "It's all right," he replied. "It was all a long time ago. Lots of things have changed since then."

"They have," Robert said quietly. "It's just never easy to admit your daughter's grown up. Ellie's right---in my eyes, Hermione is still that sweet little girl sitting on the sofa reading a book that was as big as she was."

Harry grinned. "She still reads books bigger than she is."

Robert laughed. "I'm sure you feel the same way about Julie."

"I do," Harry nodded. "The thought of her moving out... I wish she could stay my little girl forever."

"So I guess you and I have something in common," Robert said with a grin.

"Aye, because I still hate golf," Harry laughed.

"And all this time I thought you were just letting me win," Robert said.

Harry scoffed. "If you knew how to play Quidditch, now THERE'S a real sport." he said.

"The only thing you're supposed to do with brooms is sweep," Robert argued.

Harry stared at him, slack jawed. "I'm going to take you on with Ethan," he challenged. "Brooms are far more practical than those golf clubs."

"Need I remind you that I'm a complete Muggle?" Robert asked.

"Exactly," Harry sat back in his chair and grinned.

Robert sat back down and helped himself to a scone.

"And you know that peach would be lovely, whether it's a boy or girl," Elinore was saying as she and Hermione came back into the kitchen.

"You're not going to paint the walls peach are you?" Robert asked. "And since when is peach a colour? That's a fruit last time I checked."

"Be quiet Robert," Elinore chastised. "You don't know anything about colour."

"I do," Robert said defensively. "I know about reds, blues, greens, yellows. What I don't understand is when we started calling colours---mints, banana, cranberry, pumpkin and cherry."

Elinore folded her arms across her chest as Hermione giggled and slid into the seat next to her husband. "Don't get her started Dad."

"Okay," Robert said. "But she knows I'm right."

"I do not," Elinore huffed.

"You do," Robert said with a grin.

"Dad!" Hermione laughed. "Stop it."

"Back me up on this one, Harry," Robert said looking at him expectantly.

"Hey I don't want to be in the doghouse tonight," Harry said, putting up his hands.

"Good boy, Harry," Elinore said. "He knows his place, see?" she said to Robert.

"He's still young," Robert said frowning. "He'll learn."

"I think he's just fine," Hermione smiled dreamily at Harry.

"Big surprise there," Robert teased.

"Robert!" Elinore swatted his arm. "So where's Lavender? She hasn't stopped by in ages."

"You'd never guess in a million years," Hermione replied.

Robert groaned. "Don't tell me. Married, again?"

"To Seamus!" Hermione said excitedly.

"Finnigan?" Elinore asked.

"Yes!" Hermione clapped her hands together. "He came to Hillsdale and they fell in love all over again."

"That's fantastic!" Elinore said happily. "I always liked him."

"Lavender's very lucky then," Robert replied. "After what happened between them before..."

"It was all a big misunderstanding," Hermione answered, not wanting to get into the specifics. "But needless to say they cleared everything up and are as happy now as they've ever been."

"That's fantastic," Elinore said. "When you see her tell her to come by, with Seamus."

"I will," Hermione promised.

"So have you gotten bored with retirement yet?" Harry teased.

"Not hardly," Robert admitted. "I'm enjoying being able to relax and take it easy. Ellie and I are travelling like we always wanted to and I get to golf whenever I want."

"How anyone can golf all day is beyond me," Lavender announced from the doorway. "Most boring sport in the world."

"Lavender Brown," Robert said, standing up. "You look quite familiar...."

"Hi Uncle Robert," Lavender beamed and hugged him tightly. "Hi Aunt Elinore."

"Hermione tells us you have news," Elinore said grinning at her.

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender said, but it was obvious she wasn't bothered. "Yes I do, actually."

"And this one is going to count?" Elinore asked.

"Of course it is," Lavender said. "We're already making plans for it."

Hermione silently counted in her head backwards from ten for the moment when her mother would "volunteer" her services for the wedding planning.

"We have to get started straightaway," Elinore said. "Were you thinking of something small or were you wanting to be completely extravagant?"

"We're only having family," Lavender held up a hand. "I already have dress robes, flowers and my hairstyle in mind. We've even booked a place. We're getting married in a month."

"Lavender!" Elinore said, trying to hide her disappointment. "A month isn't enough time to plan a wedding, sweetheart."

"It's not a big wedding," Lavender said. "Seamus and I don't want to spend any more time apart."

"Oh," Elinore said, the smile returning to her face. "Well, I can certainly understand that. Will the two of you be staying in your flat? Or does Seamus have a place here?"

"Well..." Lavender faltered for a moment and looked at her cousin.

Hermione squeezed Lavender's hand for support. "You can tell them, Lav."

"Seamus and I... we're moving to Los Angeles. Well I'm moving there, he already lives there." Lavender said in one breath.

Elinore stared open-mouthed at her niece, at a loss for what to say.

"Ellie," Robert said, patting her shoulder. "It's not like she's leaving the planet. We'll still see her."

"Please don’t be angry," Lavender pleaded. "I'll still come back and visit all the time... it's just that I made such a mistake before by thinking he cheated on me and I let him go for too long. I have a second shot and I'm not missing this one."

Tears welled up in Elinore's eyes as she smiled at her niece. "I know, sweetheart. I--I'm just going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Lavender hugged her aunt tightly. "But you'll get to come visit me and once I get used to the city I'll take you all around there."

"Of course you will," Elinore said, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I am happy for you, Lavender. And I'm sure your mum and dad would be, too."

"Thanks," Lavender said, turning to hug Robert.

"So I guess this means that you won't be stopping by unexpectantly at three in the morning, anymore?" Harry asked Lavender.

"There's always floo powder," Lavender replied pertly. "You'll never be rid of me Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes and in a near pitch-perfect imitation of Lavender said, "Hermione, I have split ends. Please get out of bed and let me cry on your shoulder!"

"Oh shut up!" Lavender put her hands on her hips. "At least MY hair behaves itself," she eyed his messy strands with obvious distaste.

"Or what about that time when Julie was teething and Hermione and I were getting by on no sleep and you showed up in the middle of the night wanting to know if your arse looked big in the dress you were going to wear to some fashion do?" Harry retorted.

"Oh honestly you two," Hermione said. "Break it up all right?"

"She actually did that?" Robert asked earning a glare from his niece. "Sorry..."

"Lav knows I'm going to miss her," Harry said, giving her a hug. "I just hope Seamus knows what he's getting himself back into."

"He does and he loves every moment of it," Lavender said. "By the way Harry- there's a thing called gel. You should look into it." she teasingly mussed his hair even more.

"My hair looms large in my legend," Harry said defensively.

Lavender burst into laughter. "All right you win that one."

Robert and Elinore engaged Lavender in conversation about what happened at Hillsdale and the engagement. Hermione and Harry decided to give them some time alone and they retreated to the sitting room.

"So?" Hermione asked as they settled down on the sofa. "What did you and my dad talk about? Surely not the fact that we 'shag all the time'?"

"Of course not," Harry replied. "Just about how we never want our girls to grow up."

Hermione nodded. "It seems like just yesterday we were bringing Julie home for the first time."

"I know," Harry said a bit sadly. "Soon she's going to want to find her own place."

"I don't want to think about that," Hermione said. "She's always been here with us. To think of her leaving is sad."

"I agree," Harry replied. "At least we'll have baby number three to keep us occupied."

"That we will," Hermione said. "And we still have a seven-year old to keep our hands full...”

Harry laughed. "He's more than a handful."

"At least he doesn't have a Cornish Pixie for a pet," Hermione said with a grin.

"And we're going to keep it that way," Harry said.

*** *** ***

Later that same evening, Jon was walking Allison through Diagon Alley. They were enjoying not being under the watchful eye of Frankie whose latest obsession was to catch her sister snogging.

"She's driving me crazy," Allison said to Jon as they sat down on one of the benches outside Flourish & Blotts. "I think she's trying to read my diary, too."

"Your diary, eh?" Jon asked. "Would a certain red-haired, handsome bloke be mentioned at all in this diary?"

Allison giggled. "I'm not telling you that," she said, bumping his shoulder. "It's called private for a reason."

"Did you write about what we did the other night in the backyard at the Potters?" he teased, putting an arm around her.

Allison blushed deeply. "Maybe," she said.

"I bet it is," Jon said tickling her.

"Well that's for me to know, and you to find out," Allison said, laughing.

"And how exactly would I find this out?" Jon asked.

"You won't!" Allison said. "I meant to say and for you not to find out!"

"Do I get you flustered, Allie?" Jon teased.

"Shut up," Allison said, still laughing.

"And if I don't?" Jon countered devilishly.

"Then you won't get to kiss me goodnight," Allison teased in return.

"That's rather harsh, isn't it?" Jon asked. He looked thoughtfully at her. "Okay. Well, if that's what you want...I won't talk the rest of the evening."

He scooted away from her on the bench and sat with a smug expression on his face.

"Jonathan," Allison said. "Don't you try and turn this around."

Jon shrugged his shoulders and tried not to laugh.

Allison looked at him a moment before a thought occurred to her. "Well all right. You can stay there and be a prat and I'm going for ice cream." She got up and began to walk away; swinging her hips like Chiaki and Julie had showed her one afternoon back at Hillsdale.

Jon certainly hadn't expected her to walk away, but he had to admit that he liked the way she was moving. He quickly focused his attention and took off after her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Yes?" she turned and batted her eyelashes.

Jon remembered his vow not to speak and he mouthed the words "I'm sorry" to her.

"Jon," she began to laugh.

He nodded and pouted at her.

"Stop it," she said, still giggling. "You can talk, you silly git."

"This silly git would like to tell you something," Jon asked, pulling her into a doorway. "I love you, Al."

"I love you too, Jon," Allison said before he claimed her lips.

Jon pressed her against the glass window and pulled her close. He'd wanted to do this all evening, but they'd been in the restaurant and then out on the sidewalk. It hadn't seemed appropriate to kiss her then. But here in this private space, he was able to do what he wanted. Best of all, no one could see. He pulled away only to get air and he was pleasantly surprised when Allison grinned and pulled him back to her.

"Don't even think of taking a breath," she said in his ear before returning her mouth to his.

Jon pulled the strap of her dress down and kissed her shoulder as she ran her fingers through his hair. He looked up at her. "Is this going to make it in the diary?" he whispered.

"In full detail," she said breathlessly. The tingling that had started in her stomach was rapidly spreading downwards as she pressed herself into him; she ran her hands down his chest repeatedly as her head fell back.

"Please," she whimpered quietly. "Please keep doing that..."

"Allie," he breathed. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, but he didn't care. He didn't know if he was doing any of this right, but her last words told him he was doing okay.

"I wish we were older," she said as he began to press his mouth to her neck. "I wish we could do things that we shouldn't be doing yet..."

"Me too," Jon whispered. He ran his hands down her arms. "But we have time, Allie. I'm not going anywhere."

"Me either," she said, her arms around his neck.

"And I'd never force you to do something you weren't ready for," Jon said earnestly. "I want you to trust me."

"I do trust you, Jon," Allison said. "I know you would never push me into doing something we're not ready for…yet."

He kissed her once more. "Are you ready for that ice cream now?"

"Yes," Allison smiled up at him. "I need to cool down."

"You and me both," Jon grinned. "Come on, Longbottom."

"All right Weasley," she said, pecking him on the cheek. "And just so you know, you most definitely ARE in the diary."

*** *** ***

Chiaki kept a watchful eye on her best friend as she danced with Toshio. "I'm still worried about her," she shouted into his ear over the loud music. "Even though she finally looks like she's having a good time."

"It's good to see her smile again," Toshio commented. "You're not mad that I intruded on your girls night out, are you?"

"You're not the only guy," Chiaki wound her arms around his neck. "It's good that you got a few of our friends out here too. Looks like Danny over there is helping out."

Toshio followed Chiaki's gaze to where Julie was laughing at something Danny Tyler was saying. Danny was an old school friend of Julie's.

"Come on, Jules," Danny was saying to her. "Come and dance with me. I've improved since the last time we did."

"Danny," Julie said with a laugh. "I'm not going out there. It's too...crowded."

"That's why you're here," Danny grinned. "You're not a wallflower Jules. You can't fool me."

"You're not going to give up, are you?" Julie asked as he got down on one knee in front of her. "Will you get up! People are going to think you're asking me to marry you or some rubbish like that!"

"You know I'd marry you in a heartbeat," Danny teased.

"No, you wouldn't," Julie said. "You're afraid of my father for a start."

"Who isn't?" Danny asked. "He's a right terror when he wants to be. Faced down the Dark Lord and everything."

"My father is a complete teddy bear," Julie said dismissively. When Danny looked at her as if she was mad, she just shook her head. "He is! You just were too scared to get to know him."

"Right," Danny got back up. "Come on Jules. One dance."

"Okay," Julie said laughing as he led her to the dance floor. "But if you step on my toes, I'm gone."

"Deal," Danny agreed.

Nick ducked into the club, peering around the dim, smoky room. "Easier said than done," he thought of Ron assuring him it would be easy to find Julie in the club.

Julie laughed as Danny pulled her close. "This is a fast song, Danny. We shouldn't be slow dancing..."

"I've got my chance to get a hold of you Jules," Danny said. "I'm not above taking advantage of it."

Nick stared at the girl he loved laughing and dancing closely with another guy. Was she over him already? Pushing through the throng of Muggles dancing madly on the floor, he approached them.

Julie felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around expecting to see Chiaki, but she paled when she saw Nick Malfoy. She blinked wondering if she was imagining him.

"Can I cut in?" Nick decided to play things cool.

"No," Julie said icily, turning back around and giving Danny a weak smile.

"Come on," Nick said, catching her hand in his. "I owe you a dance."

"Can I help you?" Danny asked.

"I don't want anything from you," Julie said glaring at Nick and pulling her hand away. "Come on, Danny."

Danny put an arm around her. "Are you all right Jules? Who was that guy?"

"He's no one," Julie said quietly. "He doesn't matter to me...not anymore."

Nick ground his teeth together and followed them. "I'd just like to have a word with you Julie," he said once he caught up with them. "Privately."

Julie laughed. "What could you possibly have left to say to me? And why the hell are you here? Go away!"

"No," Nick said firmly. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"You heard the lady," Danny said angrily. "She wants you to leave her alone!"

"I heard her," Nick said grimly. "Now she needs to hear me out."

"I don't need to do anything with you," Julie spat at him. She looked apologetically at Danny. "I'm just going to go home, Danny. Could you tell Chiaki that I had to leave?"

"Jules..." Danny said at a loss as she turned and disappeared into the crowd. Danny turned to give this bloke a piece of his mind, but he was already following Julie out the door.

"Julie," Nick said. "I'm not going to leave until you talk to me."

Julie pretended not to hear him as she made her way out of the club. She'd been having a good time and then he had to show up out of nowhere; almost as if he was rubbing salt in her wounds.

Nick followed her persistently. "Ignore me if you like. You know I'm as stubborn as you are."

"You're not stubborn," Julie said walking down the sidewalk at a brisk pace. "You're an insensitive, arrogant arse who only thinks of himself."

"I have a reason why I did what I did," Nick said walking faster alongside her. "If you'll just hear me out--"

"I know what your reason was!" Julie said rounding on him. "You told me loud and clear outside my cabin, Nick. If you were worried that I didn't get it, I can assure you that I did."

"I wasn't..." Nick faltered a moment. "It wasn't real Jules, what I said to you that last day there."

"None of what you ever said to me was real!" Julie exclaimed. "Nothing!"

"That's not true," Nick grabbed her arm and forced her to stop walking. "I love you. I meant that!"

Julie stared at him and for one moment, he thought that she was going to believe him.

"You don't know what love is," Julie said quietly. "You never have and you never will."

"Julie!" Chiaki called running down the sidewalk after them. "Danny said you were..."

Her voice trailed off as she saw Nick. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Chiaki asked him.

"I'm here to straighten things out," Nick said, almost cowering at the look in her eyes.

"We don't need to hear anything you have to say," Chiaki said coldly. She put an arm around her best friend. "Jules, are you okay?"

"No you do," Nick said firmly. "Things happened at Hillsdale that were beyond my control and I had to do things I didn't want to do."

"I'm fine, Chiaki," Julie said ignoring Nick. "I just want to go home and he won't leave me alone."

"Go back in the club," Chiaki told her. "Toshio will make sure you get home okay." She looked at Nick. "I'll take care of him."

Julie stared at him a moment longer before turning away. Nick made to follow her but Chiaki grabbed his arm. "Not so fast," she said coolly.

"Chiaki," Nick began. "You don't understand."

"I didn't," Chiaki interjected. "I didn't understand when I heard what you'd said to her. And then I thought about your father and your cow of a mother and I knew...you're nothing but a liar and a phoney and I'm glad you're not a part of my family."

"I am," Nick said. "Whether you like it or not, we share the same father."

"No, we don't!" Chiaki snorted. "My father is Neville Longbottom. Draco Malfoy means as much to me as I mean to him."

Nick exhaled. "Look, will you give me a chance to explain here? Without interruptions?"

"No," Chiaki said shaking her head. "I don't think so. I don't owe you anything. And if you as much as come near Julie..."

"You'll what?" Nick was starting to grow angry. "If I had lied, and if I was really using Julie like you all think, would I have come back for her?"

"I don't know," Chiaki retorted. "I don't know anything about you, Nick."

"Chiaki," Nick's tone turned pleading. "Please... please hear me out. If you don't believe me afterwards... I'll leave you alone I swear."

Chiaki stared at him. "What? What do you have to say, Nick? Tell me....I'm dying to know."

"Can we go somewhere and sit down?" Nick asked. "It might take awhile."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Chiaki said. "Either you say what you have to say here or you don't say it at all."

"Fine," Nick said. "I did it to save Greta all right? And before you say anything I'm not using her as an excuse. My parents were threatening to sack her, and ruin any chances of her making a life for herself if I didn't break up with Julie." he began.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Chiaki said, shaking her head. Nick smiled in relief as he thought she believed him. "You're really unbelievable."

"Chiaki!" the smile dropped from his face. "Why would I lie about this?"

"Because you’re a Malfoy!" Chiaki answered hotly. "All they know how to do is lie."

Nick shook his head. "You know what? Fine! Don't believe me. I'll stay away from you, but if you think I'm going to give up on Julie you've got another thing coming." He shoved his hands in his pockets and brushed past her.

Chiaki stared after him and couldn't believe she'd actually trusted him; that she'd actually thought of him as a brother. He wasn't any better than his father. If Nick thought that Harry or Hermione would let him anywhere near their daughter, he had another thing coming.

Nick stopped about fifteen feet away and turned to look back at her. "I really thought I could trust you." he called out. "Even if you're angry with me we're still brother and sister."

Chiaki walked toward him. "I thought I could trust you. And I did. We all did. We let you in. And you betrayed us all. You probably went back home with your parents and had a great big laugh at our expense."

"I bloody HATE my parents," Nick wanted to explode. "I left Sydney! I left them, my band, my home, I have no money here and if it weren't for my grandparents I wouldn't have a place to stay either. So before you go on thinking that I'm in league with Draco and Ginny Malfoy, keep that in mind!"

"You what?" Chiaki asked, taken aback by what he'd just said.

"I left," Nick snapped.

Chiaki got over her surprise. She wasn't about to let him get to her again. "They probably kicked you out after they found out you'd shagged a Potter!"

Nick raised his eyes to the sky, as if asking for some sort of assistance. "Are you bloody deaf?" he couldn't help asking.

"Chiaki?" Toshio asked coming back to join them. "Are you okay?"

Chiaki nodded. "Where's Jules?"

"Danny took her home," Toshio said, glancing at Nick and back at his fiancée.

"Good," Chiaki said. "I think I'd like to go home, too."

"Right," Toshio took her arm in his.

"I'm not leaving you alone," Nick said. "I think deep down you believe what I just told you."

Chiaki shivered. On some level, he was right. She wanted to believe him, but she just wasn't going to let him take advantage of her or Julie ever again.

"Come on, Tosh," Chiaki said. "Let's go home."

Nick watched her go before kicking a few loose stones across the street. Tonight may not have worked but he knew how persuasive he could be. It would only be a matter of time.

*** *** ***

Harry had stayed up late to go over some case files. He'd meant to go over them earlier, but the visit from his in-laws had derailed those plans. Hermione and the others had gone to sleep ages ago.

His stomach was growling and he thought he might go and grab a quick scone before heading off to bed. He was almost in the kitchen when he heard the sound of muffled crying in the sitting room. His hunger forgotten, Harry walked toward the sitting room.

When he opened the door, he saw his only daughter sitting in the dark, crying.

"Jules?" Harry asked, waving his hand to turn on the lights. "Sweetheart? What is it? What's wrong?"

Julie jumped, obviously startled at the glare which suddenly filled the room. "Oh... it's nothing," she wiped her eyes.

Harry sat down gingerly beside her on the sofa.

"You've never been a good liar," he said softly wiping a tear from her cheek. "You get that from your mum."

"I guess," Julie said, sniffling as he handed her a kerchief. "Thank you."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Harry asked softly.

For a moment she was quiet and then the tears started again. "Why did he come here?" she asked, her face crumpling.

"Who, Julie?" Harry asked, taking his daughter in his arms. "Nick?"

She nodded into his shoulder. "He showed up at the club tonight."

"How did he know where you were?" Harry asked, hoping that Malfoy's son wasn't going to start stalking his daughter.

"I don't know," she sobbed. "I don't want to see him anymore and there he is, trying to act like nothing happened."

"Did he do anything to you?" Harry asked, pulling back to look at her. "If he did, I'll..."

"No he didn't touch me, I wouldn't let him," Julie looked down. "I was just starting not to think about him every other minute and now he's here."

"Oh, sweetheart," Harry said tilting her chin up to look at him. "It's going to be okay. I'll make sure he doesn't come near you again, okay?"

Julie nodded before her father hugged her again. "It's just hard," she whispered brokenly.

"I know," he said gently. "But it will get better, Jules. I know it doesn't seem like that now, but it will."

"It doesn't feel like it," Julie sobbed again. "I hate it! I'm never dating again, not ever."

"As a father, I'm glad to hear that," Harry said smiling down at her.

Julie managed a weak grin. "Yeah I guess."

"But you know what?" Harry asked, as she rested her head on his shoulder. "I said the same thing when I was about your age. I'd had my share of girls who only wanted to be with me because of who I was and what I could do for them. And I told Neville and Cho and Ron that I'd never fall in love, never date anyone ever again. And do you know what happened, Julie?"

"You met Mum," Julie said softly.

"That's right," Harry said with a smile. "So, don't give up just yet, my sweet girl. Think of what you could be missing out on..."

"I suppose," Julie replied. "I just hate the thought of getting close with anyone right now."

"Well, no one's saying that you have to get close to anyone right now," Harry said. "You need time to heal, Julie. And I hope you know that your mum and I will do anything we can to help you."

"I know," Julie wiped her eyes again. "You guys have all been really great."

"Well we love you very much," Harry said hugging her again. "And we want you to be happy."

"I love you guys too," Julie pressed her face into her father's shirt. "I don't know about the happy part though."

"Ah, you'll get there," Harry said, patting her back. "And I know how we could start you on your way. What do you think of one of your dad's world-famous scones?"

"That sounds fantastic," Julie said, smiling genuinely. "Thanks Dad," she gave him a peck on the cheek.

Harry led her into the kitchen. "Your grandparents said to give you their best."

"I should have stayed to see them," Julie said, sitting at the table.

"They missed you," Harry said as he walked over to the icebox. "Of course, we had quite the eventful night. Your grandparents found out about your mum being pregnant and Lavender stopped by to tell them about Seamus and moving to the States."

"How did they take all that?" Julie asked.

"Really well," Harry said handing her a plate. "Well, after your Grandma had a good cry about Lavender."

"I'll miss her," Julie said as she bit into her scone. "There's something about Aunt Lav that just makes me laugh all the time."

"Yes, well she's so...," Harry said, trying to think of a correct word to describe Lavender. "Dramatic."

"No, she is," Julie smiled. "Everything that happens is blown a hundred times bigger with her."

"Exactly," Harry grinned. "But that's Lavender."

Julie nodded. "But you won't miss the three am calls she makes right?"

Harry vehemently shook his head. "No, I won't miss those. But as she reminded me tonight, there's always floo powder."

"So you'll never escape Dad," Julie laughed.

"No, I don't think I will," Harry said with a grin. "But you know something I have missed? You and me doing things like this. We used to have our little midnight snacks all the time."

"I know, back during my summers when I was home from Hogwarts," Julie reminisced. "I miss it too."

"We'll have to do it more often," Harry promised. "I keep wanting to get Ethan to join me, but once he's asleep, he's out like a light."

"Out like a light and heavy as can be," Julie smiled.

"There's something I like to see," Harry said grinning at his daughter, who pulled a confused face. "Your smile, Jules."

"It's come few and far between these days," Julie looked down at the remnants of her scone.

Harry reached across the table for her hand. "It's going to be okay, Julie. I promise."

"I know, all in good time right?" Julie asked.

"Yes," Harry said with a grin. "And this too shall pass and that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Oh, and there are plenty of fish in the sea. Think we covered all the clichés?"

"I think so," Julie giggled.

"It's late," Harry said, clearing their plates. "I think we should probably call it a night."

"Okay," Julie stood up and hugged her father tightly. "Thanks Dad. You always know what to do to make me feel better."

"You're my little girl," Harry said. "It's my job."

"You're the best," Julie replied.

"No," Harry argued. "You're the best."

"How about we're both the best?" Julie asked, grinning.

Harry looked thoughtfully at his daughter. "I like the sound of that."

"Good," Julie kissed his cheek. "I'm sure Mum's missing you by now."

"Yeah, she probably is," Harry said, squeezing her hand. "Love you, Julie."

"Love you too Dad," Julie returned before leaving the kitchen for the comfort of her bed.

Harry watched as his daughter left and he wished that he could do something to take away her pain. There were some things he couldn't protect her from, no matter how much he wished he could. But, Harry thought as he made his way upstairs, he'd do whatever he had to do to make sure Nick Malfoy never hurt her again.

25. Forgive Me

A/N: Thank you all again for your awesome feedback- we both love reading your comments! This is another bit of a filler chapter, but it brings in a love interest for a character who *cough* really hasn’t gotten any yet in this story ;) We hope you like this new character :D

Also- some of you seemed to be under the impression that Allie and Jon are sleeping together- they are not shagging- who thinks Neville would go crazy if he found them like that?? ;)

Again- please take a few seconds after reading to let us know what you think! We’d greatly appreciate it if you do!!

Forgive Me – Evanescence

Can you forgive me again?
I don't know what I said
But I didn't mean to hurt you

I heard the words come out
I felt that I would die
It hurt so much to hurt you

Then you look at me
You're not shouting anymore
You're silently broken

I'd give anything now
to kill those words for you

Allison and Frankie were sitting in the Potters' sitting room along with the whole crew of Weasley children waiting for Luke, Anna and Lizzy to arrive. "And I want you boys to be nice to her," Luna lectured her eldest sons.

"We'll be on our best behaviour," Jon promised, winking at Allison.

"We don't even know her," Josh protested.

"Of course you do," Luna replied. "You used to play together all the time when you were kids Josh."

"And she goes to school with us," Allison chimed in. "She's a Ravenclaw prefect."

"Thanks, Allie," Josh muttered. "Look all I'm saying is that I don't want to spend the rest of my holiday showing some daft girl around..."

"Joshua Lawrence," Luna said sternly. "Lizzy is not daft."

"Really," Allison said. "She's a really nice girl. We're good friends."

"Mummy says that you and Lizzy used to take baths together," Maddie said plopping herself down into her brother's lap.

"Mum!" Josh asked, blushing.

Allison laughed. "That's adorable."

"Josh, don't look so embarrassed," Luna chided him. "You were three years old at the time and it was that summer we all went to Brighton."

"Right," Josh muttered.

Maddie giggled. "Dolly took a bath with me last night!"

"Really?" Allison asked. "And nothing bad happened?"

Maddie shook her head. "She likes the bubbles."

"You mean to tell me that your mad Cornish pixie managed to take a bath without throwing water or pouring bubble bath all over the place?" Jon asked his little sister.

Maddie shook her head. "She's being a good girl. Just like me."

"That's right," Luna kissed her daughter's cheek. "My Maddie's a very good girl."

Maddie beamed. "Since I've been so good can I go with Daddy tomorrow when he takes Drew and Darla shopping?"

Ron's ears perked up at this. "Pardon me? Luna, what's this about me going shopping?"

Luna looked at him nonplussed. "I told you last night, you have to take Drew and Darla shopping for dress robes to wear to Julie's party next week."

"Why do I have to do it?" Ron asked. He didn't mind spending time with his daughters. What he did mind, however, was shopping---unless it was for a new broomstick or the latest comic book.

"Because I have to go to Daddy's office and help him out," Luna replied.

Ron looked pleadingly at his twin daughters. "You girls don't need new dress robes, do you?"

Drew grinned. "Yes, we do. We outgrew our old ones."

"But..." Ron faltered for a moment.

"I'll give you a cookie," Luna teased her husband.

"Just one?" Ron asked cheekily.

"All right, a few," Luna kissed him.

"Gross," Drew said. "You guys kiss all the time!"

"Not as much as my mum and dad," Ethan chimed in.

"No one could snog as much as your mum and dad," Josh teased. Josh grinned devilishly at Jon. "Well except for Jon maybe. How was your date last night?"

Jon and Allison both turned red. "We had a good time," Jon said hastily.

"Where'd you go?" Frankie asked trying to sound like she couldn't care one way or the other.

"Out," Allison said. "You're not getting any information from me Francesca. And Mum put a new charm on my diary so you can't get into it anymore."

"As if I care what you do," Frankie said walking out of the room in a huff.

"So," Jon said pulling Allison closer. "How many pages did our little date take up in this diary? One? Two? Six?"

"Jon!" Allison whispered.

"More than six?" Jon asked nudging her playfully.

"It was more than six," Frankie called out from the next room. "She spent nearly an hour writing about it when she came home!"

"Excuse me," Allison said, getting to her feet. "I'm going to go and kill my sister..."

Jon grinned as Allison ran from the room. Frankie's scream was heard several seconds later.

"Nice going Jon," Josh said without a trace of jealousy.

"Who me?" Jon asked innocently. The doorbell chimed and everyone got silent as all of the adults scurried for the door to welcome Anna, Luke and Lizzy.

"You'd think they were famous or something," Josh said, getting up on the sofa.

"They haven't seen them in awhile," Jon said, pushing his brother forward. "Remember what Mum said...be a good boy."

"Why does everyone keep talking about her in front of me?" Josh asked, annoyed.

"Because you used to take baths together?" Maddie suggested.

Jon, Drew, Darla and Ethan cracked up as Josh turned bright red. "Shut up Maddie."

"Anna!" Hermione squealed. "Look at you!"

"Hi Hermione," the redhead hugged her. "You look wonderful... Minister!"

Hermione laughed. "Anna, please..."

"Well, you are!" Anna said. "And you're glowing! What gives? That trip to Hillsdale must have done wonders for you...."

"More than you know," Hermione laughed. "I'm pregnant again!"

"WHAT?" Anna squealed. "That's fantastic!"

"Only about a month along," Hermione hugged Luke. "Lizzy! Look at you love you're so gorgeous!"

Lizzy smiled shyly at Hermione. "Thank you, Minister Potter."

"You know you can call me Hermione," she replied. "All the kids are waiting for you in the sitting room if you'd like to go in."

"I'll show you the way," Luna said helpfully. "They're all really excited to see you again, Lizzy."

"Great," Lizzy replied. She of course was looking forward to seeing Allison, but the person she wanted to see most was Josh Weasley.

Everyone looked up when the door to the sitting room opened and Luna walked in flanked by a girl with blonde hair that she wore in two plaits. She wore a pair of denim shorts, green t-shirt, glasses and sandals. It was Maddie who spoke first.

"You used to take baths with my brother," she said innocently.

"Maddie!" Luna gasped as Josh turned an even brighter red shade.

Maddie shrugged. "Well, she did!"

Lizzy was also a deep shade of red. "Hi Allie," she covered, hugging her friend.

"Hiya, Lizzy," Allison said looking over at Jon who was trying not to laugh.

Luna stepped forward. "And you remember Drew and Darla, of course. And Hermione and Harry's youngest, Ethan... and the smirking redhead over there is Jon, of course. And you remember, Josh..."

"Yes," Lizzy said smiling at him. "Hello, Josh."

"Hi," Josh muttered.

"You've got quite the tan," Lizzy commented. "Mum told me you lot when on holiday recently."

"Yes we did," Allison pulled her down on the sofa as Luna went back into the hallway with the other adults. "I have so much to tell you."

"Does this have anything to do with the fact that you were standing beside Jon Weasley and holding his hand when I came in here?" Lizzy asked grinning at her friend.

"Maybe," Allison giggled.

"What's the story with Josh?" Lizzy asked. "I thought you fancied him?"

Allison pulled Lizzy away from Frankie, who was listening to every word. "Well... at the beginning of holiday I did... but then Jon asked me out. And he's so sweet Lizzy." she lowered her voice. "He's told me he loves me."

Lizzy smiled. "That's great, Allie! You know I always thought he fancied you!"

"That's what he told me too," Allison looked over at her boyfriend who was currently teasing his brother.

"And have you told him that you love him, too?" Lizzy asked. "Don't answer that, Al. One look at you and I can tell. You do, don't you?"

Allison nodded, her cheeks going pink. "He's really amazing Lizzy. We've been going out nearly every night since we got back here."

"That's great, Allie," Lizzy said. She chanced a look at Josh who was now talking to Ethan. "So, Josh isn't still hung up on Julie, is he?"

"No," Allison shook her head. "Wait a minute..."

Lizzy blushed. "What?"

"You fancy him," Allison whispered. "I can't believe I never saw it before! All those times you were watching him in the library or the Great Hall!"

Looking up sheepishly at her friend, Lizzy nodded. "You're not mad, are you? I didn't say anything before because I knew how you felt about him..."

"Lizzy!" Allison hugged her. "I'm so sorry for going on about him all the time now!"

"It's okay," Lizzy said, relieved that her friend wasn't mad. "Do you think I might have a chance?"

"I don't see why not," Allison replied. "I have an idea- this week we'll double! I'm sure Josh will agree to go!"

"Really?" Lizzy asked. "I'm not so sure."

"I'll make sure he goes," Allison promised. "This will be so fun!"

"I think I'm going to go and try and talk with him," Lizzy said as Josh was now alone. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck," Allison went and joined her boyfriend on the sofa, giving Lizzy an encouraging smile.

"Hi," Lizzy said softly approaching Josh.

"Hi," Josh said. "Look I'm sorry about what Maddie said earlier. I don't remember seeing you naked... I mean taking a bath or anything," his face reverted back to red.

"We were only three at the time," Lizzy said with a laugh. "And if it makes you feel any better, I don't remember seeing you starkers either."

"Okay then," Josh said nervously. She was standing awfully close.

"Your little sister is really cute," Lizzy said motioning to where Maddie was playing with Drew. "Outspoken, but cute."

"Get used to it," Josh stuck his hands in his pockets. "She remembers everything she hears."

Lizzy smiled. "Kids are like that though. I'm sure we were when we were her age."

"Probably," Josh looked over at his brother and Allison, who were laughing about something together and off in their own world.

"You don't say much, do you?" Lizzy asked grinning at him. "Or maybe it’s because I make you uncomfortable?"

"That's silly," Josh said. "Why would you make me uncomfortable?"

"Don't know," Lizzy said with a shrug. "It was just a guess."

"Well you don't," Josh said.

"Good," Lizzy said nodding. "I hope to see a lot of you while I'm here, Josh. I'd really like us to get to know each other better."

He stared at her a moment. "You do?" he asked.

"I do," Lizzy said with a grin. "I'm going to go and say hello to Mr. Potter." She started to walk away, but turned around and grinned broadly at him. "I'll see you later, Joshua."

"Bye Lizzy," he was still staring at her.

"You okay over there, Josh?" Jon asked.

"I'm fine," Josh answered absently.

"Hey Josh, why don't me and Jon double with you and Lizzy tonight?" Allison asked innocently.

"What does double mean?" Maddie asked.

"It means two of something," Frankie said, looking crossly at her sister.

"You mean like two dates?" Maddie asked. She looked at Josh. "You should go, Josh. That'd be fun!"

"Yeah thanks Mad Dog," Josh said sarcastically.

"Come on Josh," Allison said. "You know we'd have a good time."

"I don't even know her, Allie," Josh asked. He held up a hand. "And please don't anyone tell me yet again that we used to take baths together, okay?"

"I wasn't going to!" Allison protested.

"No but I was," Jon said mischievously.

"Josh..." Allison drew out his name. "Come on, please?"

"I don't know," Josh said hesitantly. "We won't have anything to talk about and we'll have to watch the two of you snog all night..."

"You're just making up excuses," Allison narrowed her eyes.

"Okay," Josh asked. "But the two of you better behave yourselves. I mean it, Jon."

"Right," Jon smirked. "We always behave ourselves."

"Okay, fine," Josh conceded. "I'll go."

"This is so unfair!" Frankie exclaimed. "She's been here less than five minutes and she gets to go on a date!"

"Francesca, shut up," Allison rolled her eyes. "You're too young to date!"

"Am not!" Frankie retorted.

"Are too," Allison said. "Now stop it before I tell everyone about... the knickers," she grinned evilly.

"Fine," Frankie said stalking out of the room. "I'm always too young for everything!"

"Relax will you?" Allison shouted after her. "In three years you can do anything you want!"

"She really needs to get over that," Ethan deadpanned. "It's really getting old."

"I agree Ethan," Jon replied. "Well said."

"Besides why would you want to date anyway?" Ethan asked.

"Ask yourself that in about six years," Josh answered him. "You'll realise girls aren't as bad as you think."

Ethan just shook his head. He looked around the room for Jon and Allison who had disappeared. "Where'd they go?" Ethan asked.

"Do you really want to know?" Drew asked, sitting back against the sofa.

"Eew," Ethan said crinkling up his nose. "Disgusting!'

Josh laughed at him. "I can't wait for you to start liking girls. I'm going to take the Mickey out of you so bad."

"You're going to be waiting a long time," Ethan retorted. "A long, long time."

"Right," Josh suddenly felt better about the impending evening as he mussed Ethan's hair. Much better.

*** *** ***

Ron coughed as he was hurled through the Floo network back to Harry and Hermione's place. He'd gone back to Ireland in the afternoon to check up on his shops, as he'd been gone since they went to Hillsdale. He was pleased to see that everything had been running smoothly, with only a few minor problems he and his fellow workers had been able to take care of quickly.

"Hi Daddy!" Maddie grinned up at him from the floor where she was playing dolls with Drew and Darla. His three daughters jumped up and gave him a tight hug.

Ron got down on his knees and hugged them back. "How are my girls this afternoon?"

"Good," Drew said, smiling. "And mum said to remind you again that we were going shopping tomorrow."

"Of course," Ron replied. He lowered his voice. "And afterwards how about we make a quick stop at the sweets shop?"

"We won't tell Mummy," Drew said conspiratorially.

"Right," Ron kissed each one of them on the cheek. "I hope we're having dinner soon. Daddy's starving."

"We are," Darla said. "Uncle Harry's in the kitchen cooking. He wanted you to come and see him when you got in, Dad."

"Okay," Ron said, ruffling Darla's red hair. He strode into the kitchen, whistling. "What's going on mate? Need help making dinner?"

Harry looked over his shoulder at his best friend. "No, I think I've got it covered. How's everything back home?"

"Everything's great," Ron said. "What are you making?"

"Spaghetti," Harry replied. "Is that okay with you, Weasley?"

"It's fine." Ron said. "Why are you so snappish tonight?"

"Sorry," Harry said turning around to look at his friend properly. "It's Julie. I'm really worried about her, Ron. She was finally doing okay, you know? Having Josh here has been fantastic and Chiaki got her to go out last night. And then..."

Ron bit his lower lip. "So how about I set the table?" he asked changing the subject rapidly.

"She is your goddaughter, Ron," Harry said. "I would have thought you'd be concerned about her well-being."

Ron sighed. "I am concerned," he said.

Harry nodded. "I'm sorry, Ron. None of this is your fault, of course. I just hate seeing her like this. Last night, I found her sitting in the dark, crying her eyes out. Your...nephew....he's back."

"I know," Ron said, knowing he would risk Harry's wrath by telling him this. "I saw him the other night..."

"What?" Harry asked narrowing his eyes. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"What should I have said?" Ron asked. "Nick's back, how about we have him over for dinner?"

"You could have bloody told me, Ron!" Harry retorted. "I could have warned, Julie. Well, if you're in such close contact with him, you can tell him to stay the hell away from my daughter!"

"He loves her Harry," Ron said quietly. "He came here to try and win her back. You don't understand what he had to do-"

"I don't care," Harry interjected angrily. "I should have known not to let her get involved with him. When I found out about the two of them, I should have stopped it. But, I didn't want him to feel that he had to sneak around like I had to do with Hermione. I wanted to give him a chance, Ron! And I did, and we all saw how well that worked out, don't we?"

''You don't understand," Ron said as if Harry hadn't interrupted him. "It was my bloody sister and Malfoy that put him up to it."

"Yeah, right," Harry retorted turning back around to the stove. "He kept telling us how he didn't care what they thought or what they did. He kept telling us he was his own man, Ron. Look, I know he's your nephew, but I don't want him anywhere near my family."

"Do you think I'd bloody lie to you about this?" Ron crossed his arms and glared at his friend. "I love Julie like she's one of my own. I'd never hurt her willingly."

"I know that, Ron," Harry said quietly. "But she is hurting. And your nephew is to blame. Forgive me if I don't want to just forgive and forget."

"I don't expect you to just forgive and forget," Ron replied. "Neither does Nick. He just wants the chance to explain things."

Harry shook his head. "You've known this kid for how long, Ron? He was raised by Draco Malfoy! How can you be so sure he isn't lying to you?"

"He's family Harry. I just know," Ron said.

"Ginny's your family, too," Harry pointed out.

"Good point," Ron sat heavily in a chair. "It's a sense I have. I trust him. Despite what he did to Julie, he's been nothing but respectful to me. And I don't think he'd have come back here to face you all out of spite. What would be in it for him?"

Harry didn't want to admit that Ron had a point.

"So what do you want me to do?" Harry asked.

Ron shrugged. "Give him a chance. I don't expect you to force Julie to face him but at least hear him out."

"I don't know," Harry said.

"Harry come on, how long have we been mates?" Ron asked. "I wouldn't do this to hurt you or your family."

"Okay," Harry said. "But only because of you..."

Ron grinned. "Really? You'll talk to him?"

"Against my better judgment, yes--I'll talk to him," Harry replied.

"Fantastic," Ron said, amazed that his friend was being open about it. "You're the best Harry."

"Tell me something I don't know," Harry said with a grin.

"Well you already know you're a rabbit." Ron replied cheekily.

"And proud of it," Harry said smugly.

"Dad?" Jon asked coming into the kitchen.

"Hey Jon," Ron cuffed his son.

"Dad!" Jon protested laughing. "Come on. I have something very important to ask you."

"Sure," Ron grinned.

"I know me and Allie have been out every night since we've been back," Jon began.

"And you want to go out again tonight?" Ron finished for him.

Jon nodded. "It's okay with Al's mum and dad if it's okay with you. And there's something else, too..."

"What's that?" Ron asked, helping himself to a piece of garlic bread.

"Josh and Lizzy want to come along," Jon answered, grabbing a piece of bread for himself.

"Okay," Ron said agreeably.

"Lizzy and Josh," Harry said. "Didn't they used to take baths together when they were babies?"

Jon grinned maniacally. "Yes, they did. And make sure to bring that up at dinner, too. Josh loves hearing about that."

"Funny," Ron replied, grabbing two more pieces of bread.

"Hey want to leave some for dinner?" Harry asked, snatching the basket away.

"Hey!" Ron protested. "I only had two or three pieces."

"Aye and that's enough to tide you over," Harry set it aside. "So you and Allison are getting on quite well Jon?"

Jon nodded happily. "Really well."

Harry smiled at him. "That's good to hear. She's a sweet girl."

"That she is," Jon agreed. "Can I ask you something, Uncle Harry?"

"Of course you can," Harry said, stirring the spaghetti around.

"I think Allie's dad likes me," Jon said sitting down at the table. "But he doesn't act around me like he used to before I started going out with Allie. He hasn't said anything to you, has he?"

Harry looked at Ron and they both chuckled. "Jon Neville likes you just fine. It's just hard for him to see Allie grow up and start dating." Ron replied.

"Aye," Harry agreed. "I was the same way with Julie. And you know Jon, if it wasn't you, they wouldn't have allowed Allison to date yet. Cho and Neville both trust you with their girl."

Jon smiled. "Good, I was really worried."

"Don't be," Harry replied.

"That's right," Ron nodded, trying to swipe another piece of bread. "You're my son and you do no wrong."

Harry slapped Ron's hand. "Shame the same can't be said about your father."

"Ow!" Ron said. "Damn it Harry."

"Try it again and you'll see what happens," Harry said moving the bread basket again.

Ron shook his head. "I wasn't going to eat anymore. My son there looks like he's hungry and I was just going to feed him."

"Leave me out of this, Dad," Jon said laughing as he walked out of the kitchen.

"Next thing you know you'll be blaming it on Dolly," Harry said shaking his head.

"Well that thing IS a monster," Ron said.

"Remind me again why you let your four-year old have a Cornish pixie as a pet?" Harry asked.

"Can you say no to her?" Ron asked. "When she turns those big blue eyes on you?"

"No," Harry admitted.

"There's your answer," Ron said.

Harry laughed. "Well, don't you go getting any ideas of sending her in here to get bread for you, either. It won't work."

Ron shook his head. "Damn you Potter."

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Chiaki was helping Cho teach one of the beginning ballet classes. Usually, Chiaki loved helping her mother out, but tonight her mind wasn't on what she was doing. Chiaki was still preoccupied with thoughts of Nick. His words from the night before continued to haunt her. A small part of her wanted to believe that he was telling the truth. But, he'd fooled them all before. She wasn't about to be taken again by him. She should have known better.

"Am I doing this right?" a young girl asked her breaking her out of her reverie. "I don't think I am."

"You just need to move your hands here," Chiaki positioned the little girl correctly. "There you go." she smiled.

"Thanks," the girl said. "I hope I can be as good as you someday."

"With a lot of practise I'm sure you will be," Chiaki said, smoothing back the girl's ponytail.

The girl beamed up at Chiaki. "Your mummy's really good, too. She talks about you all the time."

"Does she?" Chiaki asked as Cho led the girls into another position. "What does she say?"

The girl smiled. "She said that you practise all the time and that you always wanted to be a dancer. And she says that she's very proud of you."

"I'm proud of her too," Chiaki said, patiently helping the little girl with another position. "She's a good instructor aye?"

"She's the bestest," the little girl agreed.

Chiaki laughed. "That she is."

"Okay, girls," Cho said clapping her hands. "That was fantastic. You all did really, really well. I will see you all next time and remember to practise what we learned today, okay?"

"Okay!" all the girls chorused together.

"Mum they couldn't be any cuter," Chiaki said once the room was empty. "And they just adore you."

Cho grinned. "They always like it when you help out, Chi."

"I wish I could help out more," Chiaki pulled her long hair out of her bun.

"You're busy with your own dancing," Cho said. "You don't have as much free time as you used to. But, you know what? I think that you'd be a great teacher someday, Chiaki."

"Maybe once I've had my time in the company I'll take over this place," Chiaki replied, turning around in the mirror and twisting her body into first position.

"Will you now?' Cho asked teasingly. "Going to just throw your old mum out?"

"When you get too old," Chiaki teased before turning. "Ouch!" she cried, grabbing her ankle. "I think I twisted it," she said, sitting on the floor.

Cho hurried over and knelt down to look at Chiaki's ankle. "You didn't stretch properly, Chiaki. Let me go and get you some ice."

"No I'll be all right," Chiaki said. "I'm just... preoccupied."

"Is everything okay?" Cho asked, sitting down beside her daughter. "Is this about Toshio?"

"No," Chiaki said. "It's... it's about Nick actually."

"Nick?" Cho asked confused.

"He's here in London," Chiaki replied slowly.

"What?" Cho asked. "Why?"

Chiaki shrugged. "Beats me," she said, applying small amounts of pressure to her ankle with her fingers. "He was trying to feed me some cock and bull story about his parents but I don't need to hear any of that."

Cho sighed. "I can't help feeling that this is all my fault..."

"Why would it be your fault?" Chiaki asked, bemused.

Cho stopped herself from saying that if she hadn't gotten involved with Malfoy none of this would have happened, but to say that would have meant that she regretted having Chiaki. She would never regret her daughter.

"I just wish we'd never gone back to Hillsdale," Cho answered instead, which was partially true.

"Do you think us going to Hillsdale would have made any difference for Nick and Julie?" Chiaki asked.

"No," Cho admitted. "But you wouldn't have had to meet him or your…father."

Chiaki shrugged. "I can't say I regret meeting Draco Malfoy. It only reaffirmed that Neville is my true father."

Cho hugged her daughter. "He loves you so much, Chiaki. I don't know where we'd all be without him."

"Me either," Chiaki said, getting up gingerly. "It's okay," she tested her weight on her ankle. "Just pulled it a minute."

"Good," Cho said. "We should probably get you home. You need to rest on it tonight."

"Okay," Chiaki said. They closed up the studio and decided to walk home, enjoying the summer breeze. "So last night when I saw Nick, he said he was going to try and win Julie back. Told me he didn't really want to break up with her, that his parents made him do it."

Cho considered this for a moment. "I wouldn't put it past them, Chi. That sounds like something they'd do."

"I know, I agree," Chiaki said. "But I've got this nagging feeling that there's more to it than meets the eye."

"With Draco and Ginny Malfoy there always is," Cho said shaking her head.

Chiaki shrugged. "I suppose..."

Cho put an arm around her daughter. "What do you say we order in pizza? And before you say anything, we'll make sure they use the low-fat cheese. We need a night of peace and..."

Her voice trailed off as she saw her youngest daughter waiting on the front steps for them.

"Frankie doesn't look happy," Cho commented.

"Mum it's not fair!" Frankie started her tirade.

"Let me guess, Allie's going out with Jon and you want to go too," Chiaki rolled her eyes. "Will you give it up already?"

Cho sighed. "Chiaki, why don't you go inside and rest your ankle. I think I need to have a word with your sister."

"Okay Mum," Chiaki said, closing the front door behind her.

"Francesca," Cho said sitting down on the steps. "What's on your mind?"

"Why can't I go out like Allie?" Frankie asked in a huff. "I'm much more mature than she is!"

Cho put an arm around her. "Let me let you in on a little secret, sweetheart. Mature people don't go stalking out of rooms when they don't get their way."

"But Mum!"

Cho smiled. "I know you want to go out, Frankie. But you're 12 years old. Your sister is turning 16 in a few months. She's older than you are. There's nothing we can do about that. But, I will make a deal with you."

"What?" Frankie asked, eager to grab onto anything tangible.

"When you turn 15 if you want to date then," Cho began. "You can. But you'll have to follow the same rules as Allie."

"Really?" Frankie brightened. "So I only have to wait three years instead of four?"

Cho nodded. "But if you keep harping on this not being fair, I'll change my mind, Frankie."

"Okay," Frankie said. "I'll stop Mum, I promise."

"Good," Cho said, hugging her. "Now, I know this isn't as cool as going out on a date, but how would you like to order in pizza with Chiaki and me?"

"Okay," Frankie smiled. "Thanks Mum."

"You're dying to go and tell Allie, aren't you?" Cho teased.

"Can I?" she asked eagerly.

"Go ahead," Cho said with a laugh.

Frankie jumped to her feet and was in the door faster than Cho could blink.

Neville was nearly knocked down as Frankie ran past him and up the stairs to the room she and Allison shared.

"What got into her?" Neville asked his wife. "A few minutes ago she was sitting on the steps staring out into space."

"I told her she could date at 15 like her sister," Cho said with a smile.

Neville stared at her. "Oh, no. No, no, no. Cho!"

"Neville," Cho said. "Come on, if we let Allie date we can't very well let Frankie wait."

"Need I remind you that the two of you didn't let me date until I was 16," Chiaki chimed in from the sofa.

"Yes we know dear," Cho replied.

"But Frankie's my...she's the baby," Neville protested. "And need I remind you that I wasn't all that keen on Allie dating to begin with..."

"Neville," Cho placed a hand on his cheek. "You know we have to keep with the times right?"

"Well, that may be, but I don't have to like it, do I?" Neville asked.

"You wouldn't be a typical father if you didn't," Cho leaned in and kissed her husband.,

"Just out of curiosity," Chiaki said mischievously. "How old were you two when you were able to date?"

"Fourteen," Cho replied.

"Get out!" Chiaki said in amazement. "Fourteen? Grandma and Grandpa Chang must not have known."

Cho shrugged. "I was away at school. During that time it was the least of their worries, and then they died two years later."

"Oh, Mum," Chiaki said apologetically. "I shouldn't have…me and my big mouth..."

"It's all right sweetie," Cho said.

"I wish I could have met them, Mum," Chiaki said softly.

"So do I love," Cho said as Neville stroked her hair.

Chiaki smiled at her parents. "So, Dad. Are you going to join us for pizza?"

"We're having pizza?" Neville brightened considerably. "Definitely count me in. When your mum was pregnant with you that's pretty much all we ate."

"Don't forget the pancakes with jelly slugs," Cho said dreamily. "Those were so good."

"Ew!" Chiaki said turning up her nose. "Mum, that's disgusting!"

Neville nearly turned green at the memory. "Thanks for reminding me about those Cho," he said sarcastically.

"They are a sight better than those marmalade and cheese sandwiches you favour," Cho retorted.

"Those are really gross too Dad," Chiaki said in agreement.

"I wouldn't talk if I were you," Neville teased. "What was that bean curd stuff you used to eat all the time? That's disgusting."

"Now that stuff is good," Chiaki said. "In fact, I have a bit of a craving for it now..."

26. Insensitive

Authors' note: In this chapter, you get to know Lizzy a bit better (as does Josh). You will also see Julie trying to deal with her heartbreak and a nice Seamus/Lavender scene too (we know you've all been wanting one of those)! The Harry/Nick talk doesn't take place in this chapter, but it it forthcoming. As always, we ask that you let us know what you think.

Insensitive – Jann Arden

Oh, you probably won’t remember me
It’s probably ancient history
I’m one of the chosen few
Who went ahead and fell for you
I’m out of vogue, I’m out of touch
I fell too fast, I feel too much
I thought that you might have
Some advice to give on how to be
Insensitive

Julie retreated to her room after she helped her mother clean up the kitchen. She was still thrown for a loop after seeing Nick the previous evening and she wondered what him being in London meant exactly.

Ron knocked on Julie's bedroom door a few minutes later. She'd been quiet at dinner and he was worried about his goddaughter.

She was startled at the sound. "Come in," she called.

Ron opened the door and smiled warmly at her. "Hey, Jules."

She smiled back. "Hi Uncle Ron."

"Mind if I sit down?" Ron asked. When she nodded, he sat down on her window seat. "Harry tells me you ran into Nick last night."

Julie scuffed her feet along the carpet. "Yeah, I did," she said tonelessly.

"That was my fault, actually," Ron admitted. "I sort of told him you were going to be there..."

"What?" Julie looked up properly. "Why?"

"The other day my mum asked me to stop by the Burrow," Ron explained. "I thought she was just going to have some biscuits or something for me, but she wanted me to see Nick. He's been staying with her, Julie."

"Why did he have to come back?" Julie shook her head.

"He told me that his parents threatened to sack his nanny and tarnish her name if he didn't break things off with you," Ron replied. When Julie opened her mouth to protest, Ron held up his hand. "He didn't want to do it, Julie. But this woman raised him since he was a kid. What else was he supposed to do? Anyway, when they returned to Sydney, Malfoy sacked Greta anyway."

"What?" Julie asked in shock.

"They sacked her," Ron repeated. "So, Nick packed everything up and left Australia with Greta. His parents cut him off completely, Julie. He has no money and he had no place to go until he went to the Burrow."

"Oh..." Julie trailed off.

"I imagine that's what he was trying to tell you last night," Ron said gently. "I'm sorry for telling him where you were going to be, Julie. You know I wouldn't hurt you for anything in the world, don't you?"

"I know," Julie said quietly.

"He really does care about you," Ron said.

"He sure has a funny way of showing it," Julie mumbled.

Ron nodded. "I know, Julie. But just...just think about what I said, okay? Why would he have come back here if he didn't?"

When she didn't answer him, Ron figured he'd said enough. The rest was up to her. "I better go and check on the girls before I go to bed. Good night, Julie."

"Good night," Julie said, still quiet. She lay back on her pillow and closed her eyes, thinking about what Ron had just told her.

“I’m sorry,” Nick said as they stretched out in their cove together. “I know I’ve apologised about it before, but I hate that we have to sneak around.”

“Nick it’s okay,” Julie replied. “Really. It’s all worth it.”

“I’m glad you think so,” he said, leaning in to kiss her.

Julie responded to his kiss as she ran her hand around his nape. “Mmm…” she said softly.

“Like that did you?” Nick asked, stroking her cheek.

“I did,” Julie said, grinning at him. “And I love you.”

“I love you too,” Nick said. “You mean a lot to me Jules. You and everyone else.”

Julie knew who he meant. “They all like you so much Nick,” she moved a bit closer to him. “Me especially.”

“I should hope so,” Nick squeezed her side a little.

Julie moved over and rested her head on his chest. “How do you think the rest of this holiday will pan out?” she asked. “Do you think we’ll make it to the end without your parents finding out about us?”

“I think so,” Nick said thoughtfully. “I mean, we’ve been really careful about meeting up in a hidden place like this one.”

“That’s true,” Julie said as he pulled her hair out of the clip and began stroking the long locks.

They were silent for a few minutes as Nick continued to stroke her hair. “I can’t wait though, for you to move to London.” Julie said. “I can’t wait to introduce you to my grandparents, and for Molly and Arthur to see you. And of course for all my friends to meet you too.”

“I can’t wait either,” Nick said. “We’re going to have a great time together.”

Julie smiled before pressing her lips to his again. They kissed deeply for a few minutes before Nick tugged her to her feet.

"Where are we going?" Julie asked.

"Nowhere," Nick said, pressing his nose into her hair for a moment. "I just want to dance with you that's all." he grinned.

"There's no music," Julie said with a laugh.

"Are you forgetting, Ms. Potter, that your boyfriend is a musician?" Nick asked lightly. "I happen to be quite a good singer."

"You're going to sing for me?" Julie asked excitedly. "My own private concert with the world famous Nick Malfoy?"

"That's right," Nick said, twirling her around before pulling her close again. "Your own private concert..."

Julie felt as if she was floating on air as they began to move slowly against each other.

He lowered his lips to hers for a moment before turning to sing softly in her ear. "It's a little bit funny this feeling inside… I’m not one of those who can easily hide…I don't have much money but boy if I did…I'd buy a big house where we both could live…If I was a sculptor, but then again, no…Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show…I know it's not much but it's the best I can do…My gift is my song and this one's for you..." he trailed off for a moment.

Julie smiled up at him. "Nick..."

He pressed his lips to hers again and then continued. "And you can tell everybody this is your song…It may be quite simple but now that it's done…I hope you don't mind…I hope you don't mind that I put down in words…How wonderful life is while you're in the world..."

When he finished, Julie kissed him softly. "That was...amazing. No one’s ever sung to me and that's....well, that's one of my favourites. It's my parents' song."

"Was it really?" Nick asked, still turning them around in a slow circle.

"It was the first song they danced to as husband and wife," Julie said nodding. She looked up at him again. "Thank you."

"Anything for you," he kissed the tip of her nose. "I like being the first." he teased.

She laughed. "You're terrible..."

"But you love me anyway," Nick replied confidently.

"Just a little," she teased.

"A little?" he asked. "A little?"

"More than a little," she admitted slyly.

"How much more than a little are we talking about here?" Nick asked. "Because, if it's a lot, I might be convinced to sing for you again, even before your party."

"More than I ever dreamed possible?" Julie quickly added. "How's that?"

"That's perfect," Nick leaned in and kissed her again.

Julie looped her arms around his neck and he spun her around. She felt about as happy as she could ever remember feeling in her entire life. It was all because of Nick.

Julie sighed and turned over onto her stomach and tried to hold back the new onslaught of tears. If he had been acting the whole time, it had certainly been convincing.

She closed her eyes. Truth be told, she hadn't slept very well over the past few days. It was all beginning to catch up with her and she finally fell asleep, still thinking of Nick.

"Hey, beautiful," a familiar voice called to her.

"What?" Julie jerked awake. "Who's there?"

"It's me," Nick said coming out of the darkness. He looked as handsome as ever and Julie's heart ached at the sight of him. "I tried to stay away, Jules. But I just couldn't."

She stared at him a moment. "I don't want you here," she said quietly. "And how did you manage to sneak past my father and into my room?"

"I explained everything to him," Nick replied, sitting down on the edge of her bed. "He was angry at first, but I think I won him over. My uncle helped, too. He said he spoke to you."

"He did..." Julie sat up and drew her legs close. "I don't know if I want to forgive you though. You really hurt me."

"I know," Nick said apologetically. "But it won't happen again, Julie. You can trust me."

He inched closer to her. "You want to trust me. I can see it in your eyes."

She looked away. "Don't come any closer Nicholas."

"You don't mean that," Nick said, touching her cheek.

"Please," Julie pulled away. "Don't."

"Don't do what Chiaki wants you to do or your parents," Nick whispered. "This isn't about them, Julie. This is about you and what you want."

Julie looked back at him with tears in her eyes. "I do want you," she whispered. "But I don't know if I can trust you again."

"Kiss me," he said looking into her eyes. "You'll know if you kiss me, Julie."

"I'm scared," she said as he leaned in until they were only an inch apart.

"You don't have to be," he whispered pressing his lips to hers.

Julie couldn't stop herself from kissing him back. She wrapped arms around his neck and pulled him as close as she could.

A woman's laughter filled the room and Julie pulled abruptly away from Nick. She saw his parents standing at the foot of her bed sneering at her.

"Excellent work, Nicholas!" Draco boomed. "You said she'd fall for it and she did."

"What?" Julie looked back and forth between Nick and the Malfoys. "What's going on?"

"We were bored in Sydney," Ginny answered in between fits of laughter. "Nick thought he'd see if you were still hung up on him and he was right!"

Nick laughed. "Did you see her face, Mum? And those tears!"

Julie pushed him away as he began to laugh scornfully. "You bastard," she whispered. "I knew I couldn't trust you."

"What are you going to do about it, Jules?" Nick said haughtily. "Cry?"

Julie shook her head. "I've wasted too many tears on you Nicholas."

"Your parents are downstairs laughing at you, too," Ginny chimed in happily. "They can't believe you fell for it all..."

Julie shook her head. "Get out!" she snapped, pushing them all towards her door.

"Come on, Jules?" Nick said grinning at her. "How about one more go?"

She went to slap him but her hand passed right through his face. "What?" she asked in confusion.

Nick disappeared in front of her as did Ginny and Draco. Their laughter continued though and got louder and louder.

"Julie?" Hermione's voice called out. "Julie? Sweetheart?"

"Leave me alone!" she cried. "I hate you!"

"Julie!" Hermione called out again. "It's Mum. Wake up, sweetheart."

"No!" Julie cried again before her eyes snapped open.

Hermione stepped back and took in her daughter's flushed cheeks. "Julie? Are you okay? We heard you crying out."

Julie breathed in deeply for a minute. "It was all a dream?" she asked.

"Sounded like a bad dream," Hermione said softly brushing back Julie's hair. "I was just checking on your brother when I heard you scream for someone to get out."

"I had a dream about Nick," Julie said quietly. "And he wanted me to forgive him then his parents were there and it was just another trick of his."

Hermione smiled sympathetically at Julie before giving her a hug. "It's okay, Julie. It was just a dream."

"It felt so real though Mum," Julie buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"I know it did," Hermione said, her voice soothing. "I wish I knew what to do or say to make you feel better."

"I guess there isn't anything," Julie said softly. "I'm just glad you're here right now though."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Hermione said. "You're my sweet girl."

"You're the best mum," Julie replied.

Hermione just smiled and hugged her daughter close, wishing there was some way to take away Julie's pain. "Want me to stay with you until you fall back asleep, love?"

"Will you?" Julie asked.

"Of course," Hermione said propping up some pillows and situating herself comfortably on the bed.

"I feel like I'm Ethan's age," Julie attempted a smile.

Hermione laughed. "Well, you didn't make me check under the bed and in the closet for monsters, did you?"

Julie laughed too. "No... maybe not completely Ethan's age then."

"Don't tell him I told you that," Hermione said. "He'd kill me."

"I won't," Julie snuggled next to her mother.

"I can't believe in a few days my baby is going to be 20 years old," Hermione said, running a hand through Julie's hair.

"In eight months I won't be your baby anymore," Julie said. "I can't wait for this new baby."

"Nor can I," Hermione agreed. "But you will always be my special girl. I can still remember how I felt when they first placed you in my arms. It was the happiest moment in my life."

"Was it?" Julie asked, already feeling better.

Hermione nodded. "I never believed in love at first sight until that moment. You opened up your eyes and you just looked at me and you smiled. It was the most beautiful moment, Julie."

Just thinking about it brought tears to Hermione's eyes.

"I'm glad I've made you and Dad so happy." Julie said softly. "You've been really great parents."

"You have Julie," Hermione said hugging her close. "You've made us both so happy and proud."

"I'll make you guys even more proud when I finally get that teaching job," Julie answered, yawning.

Hermione yawned, too. "You'll get it, Jules."

"I hope so," Julie closed her eyes sleepily and leaned on her mother's shoulder.

"Sleep my girl," Hermione whispered as her own eyes closed.

"Night Mum..." Julie said. "Thanks..."

"Good night," Hermione whispered before drifting off to sleep.

*** *** ***

Jon and Allie shared a menu and exchanged goofy grins with each other as they both fought over what to get on their pizza. Lizzy and Josh sat across from them, each not really sure what to do or say.

"No onions," Allison said decisively.

"Why not?" Jon asked.

Allison looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Think about it..."

"Oh... right," Jon replied. "Bad breath later on."

"Right," Allison said squeezing closer to him. "So let's see what would be some safe choices?"

"Double cheese?" Jon asked, slipping an arm around her.

"If you two were any cuter I'd have a toothache," Lizzy teased.

"Try putting up with it day in and day out and see how you feel," Josh said with a grin.

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Jon shot back good naturedly.

"Just making an observation," Josh said dryly.

Since Josh and Lizzy hadn't exchanged more than a few pleasantries since they'd sat down, Allison decided to step in and help them along.

"So, Josh," Allison said. "Did you know that Lizzy's a prefect?"

Josh nodded. "I know, Allie. I'm one, too."

"Right," Allison said, sinking back under Jon's arm. "Are you both looking forward to it?"

Lizzy nodded. "It's really hard when you have to try and tell someone older than you that they can't do something, but other than that, it's okay."

"Well we only have a year before we're the oldest," Allison shared a grin with her.

"Are you going to the Yule Ball this year?" Jon asked Lizzy conversationally.

"I was hoping to," Lizzy looked meaningfully at a blissfully unaware Josh.

"What about you, Joshie?" Jon asked teasingly.

"What?" Josh asked. "Don't call me Joshie Jonny."

"Joshie?" Lizzy asked laughing.

Josh turned red. "It's just a stupid nickname," he mumbled.

"I think its cute," Lizzy said with a wink.

Josh turned even more red as Jon and Allison both laughed. "Great."

Thankfully, the waitress came up to take their order and after some last minute debates about toppings, they settled on a large double cheese pizza.

"When are you going back to Ireland?" Lizzy asked Josh.

"After Julie's party," Josh replied. "We've been having a good time here though. I wish we didn't have to go home."

"Me too," Jon said with a meaningful look at Allison.

Allison leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the lips. "At least it's only a few weeks after that we go back to school."

"I wish you could go back with us," Jon said softly.

"Me too..." Allison said quietly.

"And here they go," Josh said to Lizzy as his brother and Allison started snogging.

Lizzy giggled. "They're cute..."

Josh rolled his eyes. "It'd be cuter if they stopped snogging every ten minutes."

"Are you okay with it?" Lizzy asked in a hushed tone so Allie and Jon couldn't hear.

"I'm fine with it," Josh replied. "I really am. It's my fault for waiting too long to tell her how I felt. And now I really think she and Jon are a great match."

Lizzy smiled. "And you and Julie?"

"We're just friends," Josh replied simply.

"That's good to hear," Lizzy said boldly. She took a sip of her soda and smiled sideways at him.

"Yeah," Josh said as Jon and Allison finally broke apart. "Welcome back,"

"What?" Allison asked dazedly.

"Nothing," Josh looked at Lizzy and shook his head. "See what I mean?"

"They're not so bad," Lizzy said nudging Josh. "You sure are moody tonight, Joshie."

"I am not," Josh defended himself. "I'm fine!"

"Are you?" she asked, inching closer to him.

"Yes," Josh looked properly at her.

Before Josh knew what she was doing, Lizzy pressed her lips to his. "Didn't want you to feel left out."

"What?" Josh pulled back, his eyes wide.

Lizzy blushed. She usually wasn't so bold, but when he'd looked at her, she'd decided it was now or never. He was never going to make the first move and she decided to go for it.

"Whoa!" Josh said in surprise as Lizzy kissed him again. His eyes closed of their own will.

Allison nudged Jon and they both looked on as Josh returned Lizzy's kiss.

"Well, well..." Allison grinned at Jon.

Josh pulled away breathlessly and stared at Lizzy.

"If I'm not mistaken, you responded there Joshie," Lizzy said, licking her lips.

He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to make of this girl.

"It's okay to talk Josh," Jon teased.

Josh glared at his brother. "Shut it, Jon."

Allison grinned at Lizzy. "Want to use the loo?" she asked.

"Sure," Lizzy said pushing back from her chair.

Jon watched his girlfriend lead Lizzy from the room then looked at his brother. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"She...kissed me," Josh answered.

"Aye she did," Jon replied. "How'd you like it?"

"It doesn't matter how I liked it," Josh said avoiding his brother's gaze. "I'm the one who should kiss her. Not the other way around."

"So you're saying you want to kiss her?" Jon asked.

"No!" Josh answered quickly. "Yes. Oh, hell, Jon! I don't know!"

Jon grinned. "Well it's nothing to be ashamed or upset about. Lizzy's a nice girl and she's cute."

"I don't want to get involved with anyone at the moment," Josh said. "In case you've forgotten, I haven't had the best luck lately. Knowing my luck, Lizzy will come back and say she's fallen in love with Ethan and wants to wait until he's 15 or something...why are you laughing at me?"

"Because," Jon said, snorting. "That's ridiculous. You've known Julie was out of your league for quite awhile... and well... we don't need to get into what happened with Allie."

"I'm happy for you two," Josh said sincerely. "I hope you know that."

"I do," Jon nodded. "And I appreciate that too."

"Aside from the excessive snogging," Josh teased. "How are things going with you two?"

"Perfectly fine," Jon said with a smile. "She's an amazing girl. I love her."

Josh coughed on his drink. "Wait a minute. Love?"

"Yeah," it was Jon's turn to blush.

"Really?" Josh asked. "How long have you liked her, Jon? I thought it was just since this summer."

"It started in third year," Jon confessed. "I just started noticing how pretty she was all the time, and I always wanted to ask her to a Hogsmeade weekend but then I always did something to mess up, like when you guys were studying and I would burst in with one of Uncle Fred or Uncle George's jokes."

"I thought you were doing all that to get on my nerves," Josh said shaking his head. "You were an obnoxious jerk, Jon."

"I'm sorry," Jon apologised.

"It's okay," Josh said with a smile. "So all this time you just wanted her to notice you?"

"Yeah," Jon said. "It's a bit stupid now, isn't it?"

"Just a little," Josh said. He laughed. "Do you remember that time you came in the common room with all that silly string? She wanted to kill you!"

Jon laughed. "I remember that. It just spurred me on. She talked to me, and that's all I needed."

"What are you boys talking about?" Allison said as she and Lizzy returned to the table.

"You," Jon said, sliding his arm back around her. "And how I used to try and get you to notice me. Remember the silly string?"

Allison rolled her eyes. "You covered the entire common room with that mess. I couldn't find my potions notes, you prat!"

"Yet you still got a perfect score." Jon returned.

Allison nodded. "Yes, but you needn't have tried so hard to impress me."

"I realise that now," Jon said, grinning at her.

Allison squeezed his hand under the table.

Their pizza arrived and Josh and Lizzy both reached for the same slice at the same time.

"You go ahead," Lizzy said, withdrawing her hand.

"No, you go ahead," Josh said, blushing. "You were reaching for it first."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked.

"Yeah," Josh said, taking the slice and putting it on her plate. "It's all yours," he smiled at her.

"Thanks," Lizzy said smiling at him. "You're quite the gentleman."

"Thanks," Josh said, pulling his own slice from the pie.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Lizzy said softly. She shook her head. "No, I'm not. I just didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"You didn't," Josh said. "I'd uh... I'd like to maybe take a walk with you after this if you want..."

"A walk?" Lizzy asked, pretending to think really hard about his question. "Gee, Josh. I don't know..."

"Well it's okay if you don't want to I'd understand," Josh took a long swallow of his soda to cover up his embarrassment.

"Lighten up, Weasley," Lizzy said grinning broadly at him. "I was only joking. I'd love to take a walk with you."

Josh coughed. "Really?"

"Really, really," Lizzy said nodding. "But you never know, I just may kiss you again."

"Maybe next time I'll be ready for it," Josh said boldly. Jon was right- Lizzy was definitely cute.

*** *** ***

"Daddy," Drew said as she came up behind her father. "Can we please go to the dress shop now? We've been in the Quidditch store for a long time!"

"Don't you want to look at the new racing brooms?" Ron asked. He'd tried every diversionary tactic he knew to keep them away from the dress shop, but he'd run out of ideas.

"No," Drew crossed her arms. "Please Daddy?"

"Merlin, you look just like your mum when you do that," Ron said. "Okay, let's go. Come along, Maddie."

"Okay Daddy," Maddie held her arms up so that her father would pick her up.

Ron laughed as he lifted Maddie into his arms. "You can keep me company while your sisters try on their dress robes, okay?"

"Okay," Maddie replied. They left the Quidditch store, Ron giving the racing brooms in the window a lingering glance.

"Now Mummy said we have to find nice robes," Drew took charge once they were in the shop.

Ron looked around the crowded shop and frowned when he saw he was the only bloke in the entire store.

"Come on Daddy," Darla tugged at his free hand.

Ron allowed Darla to lead him toward the back of the store and the sales person smiled warmly at them. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Ron nodded gratefully. "My daughters need new dress robes."

"Of course," The woman smiled. "What colours do you young ladies like?"

Drew shrugged. "I like blue, but not that light, light blue. I like dark blue."

The woman laughed. "And you?" she asked Darla.

"I like red," Darla said. "Or green."

"Okay," the woman said. "I have some new designs in the back. How about you girls come with me..."

"Daddy I want to go look too!" Maddie said.

Ron shook his head. "You don't need to go look, sweetie. You have dress robes already, remember?"

"But I want to go look," Maddie began squirming.

"Madeline," Ron said gently. "The answer is no..."

"But Daddy I just want to look!" Maddie said.

"I know you do," Ron said, silently deciding that he wasn't going to back down this time. "But if you go, I'll be all alone. Don't you want to keep Daddy company?"

"No," Maddie said. "I want to see some new robes like Drew and Darla."

"No, Maddie," Ron said quietly, but firmly. "This isn't up for discussion. You're just going to slow them down. We don't have much time, okay?"

"But Daddy," Maddie said. "I like the robes they have here."

Ron sighed. If he was grateful for anything, Maddie wasn't the type to throw temper tantrums when she didn't get her way. She was more of a negotiator. She'd try everything she could do get someone to change their mind or come around to her way of thinking. "I know you do. They're very nice. But you have your own perfectly nice, perfectly new set of robes that Nana made for you."

Maddie crossed her arms. "I know but I want two sets. What if something happens to my first set? What if Dolly rips them up?"

Ron grinned. The kid was definitely good. "Maddie, what did we say would happen if Dolly messed up one more thing?"

"That she would go," Maddie kicked her foot out.

"Right," Ron said, sitting down on one of the plush sofas. "And you don't want her to go, do you?"

"No," Maddie shook her head. "I love Dolly, Daddy."

""I know you do," Ron said, pulling her into his lap. "You're going to look so pretty in those robes Nana made for you. They have those pretty flowers on the collar that you like so much, remember? And you even helped Nana when she made them, didn't you?"

"Yes," Maddie replied. "You're right Daddy," she nodded. "I have good dress robes. And I'd rather have Dolly."

Ron smiled and he and Maddie chatted while they waited for Drew and Darla to come back. The sales woman came toward him and she grinned. "The girls are ready for you to see them now."

"Great," Ron picked his youngest daughter back up as Drew and Darla paraded out of the dressing room.

"Wow!" Maddie crowed at her sisters.

"What do you think, Dad?" Darla asked shyly. "That lady said I would look good in this colour, but I'm not so sure..."

"You both look gorgeous," Ron said proudly. "I can't believe I have three beautiful daughters."

Darla and Drew beamed at him. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Ron said. "Are these the robes you two want?"

Darla and Drew exchanged a look before nodding.

"See, Daddy," Darla said giving him a hug. "Shopping isn't so bad, is it?"

"Not at all," Ron replied, grinning at them.

Drew and Darla both went back into the dressing room to change out of the robes.

"They looked really pretty, didn't they Daddy?" Maddie asked.

"Yes they did," Ron said, gazing after them.

"Do they make dress robes for Cornish pixies?" Maddie asked innocently. "Dolly's going to be the only one without them."

Ron laughed. "Why don't we ask when they come back out?"

"She'd look really good in red, I think," Maddie said thoughtfully. "Because she's blue."

"You've got a good eye for colour Madeline," Ron said, kissing her cheek.

Maddie smiled and gave a little yawn. "I'm sleepy, Daddy."

"Are you?" Ron asked. "I guess that means you'll have to go back to Uncle Harry's while the rest of us go out for ice cream..." he shook his head.

Maddie shook her head and suddenly became very alert. "I can stay awake. I promise."

"Are you sure?" Ron asked mock seriously. "I don't want you to fall asleep in your ice cream sundae."

"I won't fall asleep," Maddie said. "Weasleys never fall asleep when its time to eat."

Ron laughed heartily at that. "You've got it," he hugged her and then got up as Drew and Darla came back out with their new robes in hand.

"All set?" Ron asked them.

"Yes Daddy thank you!" Drew hugged him around the waist as did Darla.

"I should take you lot shopping more often if this is the reaction I get," Ron said, grinning down at them.

"We won't argue with that," Darla shared a look with her twin.

"Who wants to go look at racing brooms after we get ice cream?" Ron suggested.

"I will Daddy," Maddie said happily.

"Can we get a racing broom?" Darla asked hopefully.

Ron laughed. "How about once you two are at Hogwarts," he suggested.

Drew and Darla frowned.

"It was worth a shot," Maddie said consolingly.

Ron laughed. "Aye it was," he said as he paid for the robes and they were wrapped. "All right, I am in the mood for chocolate ice cream. Who else is?"

"You're always in the mood for chocolate ice cream," Drew said linking arms with her dad.

"That I am," Ron replied. "And if my three girls are anything like me then you are too."

Darla and Maddie walked ahead toward the ice cream parlour and Drew looked up at her father.

"Daddy?" she asked hesitantly. "I really like it here, don't you?"

"Here you mean in London?" Ron asked.

She nodded. "All of our family is here and our friends. Why do we have to live so far away?"

"Because of my work, love." Ron answered. "I didn't want to move away to Ireland either away from my friends and family."

"Oh," Drew said taking in what he said. "But couldn't you run one of the shops here instead?"

"Well your Uncle Fred and George run the shops here in England," Ron answered. "They gave me control of all their shops in Ireland."

"I know, but I just miss being around everyone," Drew said looking away. "It's been nice to see Nana and Grandpa. And to be with everyone again everyday."

"I know," Ron replied. "I really miss it too. But right now we have to stay over in Ireland. But I promise we'll come back and visit more often, how does that sound?"

Drew frowned, but nodded. She quickened her pace to catch up with her sisters.

Ron sighed. He knew that moving away was tough on his family but it had been an even tougher decision to take the job in the first place.

As they finally made it into the ice cream parlour, Maddie and Darla placed their orders, but when it came time for Drew to order, she was silent.

"What do you want sweetheart?" Ron asked her.

"I'm not hungry anymore," she said with a shrug.

"You aren't?" Ron asked with concern. "Why not?"

"Just don't feel like it," she said. "I'll just go and wait at the table."

Ron watched his daughter walk away as he paid for the ice cream. "You two bring it over when it's ready okay?" he asked his other two girls. He went back to where Drew was sitting. "All right, want to fill me in?" he asked, sitting next to her.

"I just like it here, Daddy," Drew said quietly.

"I do too love," Ron said. "And I miss being near Nana and Grandpa as well. But you'll understand when you get older about having to make sacrifices for work, and to make money."

Drew nodded, but she didn't really understand. All that she knew at the moment that everything and everyone she cared about was here in London.

Ron put an arm around her. "I wish I could cheer you up love. I miss being here too if that makes you feel any better. If I had the chance to move back I'd do it in a heartbeat."

"I know Dad," Drew said wiping a tear from her cheek. She smiled weakly at him. "I really do like my new robes. Thank you, Daddy."

"Anything for you love," Ron said, pulling her close. "I love you very much Drew."

"Everything okay?" Darla asked as she and Maddie arrived at the table. Darla handed her father a bowl of ice cream.

"Everything's great," Ron said. He noticed the look on Drew's face. "Want mine?" he asked her.

"You wouldn't mind?" Drew asked shyly.

"Not at all," Ron pushed his bowl over to her.

*** *** ***

Lavender blocked the door to her studio and put on her most serious, stern face. Seamus had stopped by one of her boutiques unexpectedly and had asked to see the dress robes she was working on for the wedding.

"But you're not supposed to see them before the wedding," Lavender protested. "It's bad luck or something, right? After all we've been through, we don't need to tempt fate, Seamus."

"I don't believe in any of that," Seamus replied. "Come on Lav. I love you and nothing is going to stop us from getting married all right?"

"Well, I saw both of my other 'husbands' before those non-weddings," Lavender admitted. "And they both turned out really bad, so I guess it's okay if you see them."

"What, cause you think I'm going to turn out really bad?" Seamus put his arms around her waist.

She shook her head. "No, but this is one that I want to count. I just want everything to be on our side, Seamus."

"It's going to count," Seamus kissed her lightly. "Everything's going to be fine."

Lavender smiled and stepped back so Seamus could walk inside her office. She held her breath as he looked at the dress robes. They were a pretty ivory colour with intricate pearl stitching along the collar and hem.

"What do you think?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Can you put them on?" he asked.

She shook her head. "That's where I'm drawing the line. I don't want you to see me in them yet."

"Actually, I was looking forward to you undressing more than you putting those on," Seamus said playfully.

Lavender hit him on the chest. "If that's the case why don't I just walk down the aisle in my bra and knickers then?"

"I would have no problem with that," Seamus grinned before leaning in to kiss her again.

"Somehow I thought you wouldn't," Lavender teased when they broke apart. She rested her head on his chest. "I can't believe we're finally doing it, Seamus."

"I know," Seamus kissed the top of her head. "I can't wait Lav."

"My aunt actually asked if we were rushing things," Lavender said with a laugh. "Can you believe that?"

"Well I suppose we are in a time sense, but we've also been waiting fifteen years for this." Seamus said, stroking her hair.

"True," Lavender said. "And if I hadn't been so quick to rush to judgment...no, I'm not going to do that again. We can't change the past."

"We can't," Seamus agreed. "But we've got this second chance. Not everyone can say that."

"That's right," Lavender said smiling. "And we have so much to do in such a short time. With the wedding and the move..."

"That's right," Seamus said. "Actually, part of the reason I came in here was to tell you I have to go back to LA the day after Julie's party."

"What?" Lavender asked. "Why?"

"Just some more film negotiations." Seamus replied. "And it's only for a couple days. Then I'll come back again." he leaned down so his forehead was touching hers. "I was hoping I could somehow get you to come with me."

"Really?" Lavender asked excitedly.

"Really," Seamus answered. "You can come see my studio and how I do things over there."

"We'll have to do all the tourist-y things, too," Lavender told him. "And you'll have to take me shopping."

"We'll only be there for a few days," Seamus laughed. "But you're going to love Rodeo Drive."

"Love it?" Lavender asked. "I'm never going to want to leave, Seamus. That is THE place to shop."

"Yes it is and the stores are waiting for you," Seamus teased her.

"And I've heard that there are some great sushi bars, too," Lavender teased him back.

Seamus shook his head. "I don't know about any of those," he replied. "I'm not likely to take you to one either."

"Oh come on," Lavender pouted. "Come on, Shamy."

"I don't think so," Seamus squeezed her side.

"My pout has always been foolproof, Seamus," Lavender said squeezing him back. "You aren't going to fall for it once more for old time sake?"

"I'm pout proof now," Seamus joked. "Do you know how many actresses have tried the pout on me these last fifteen years?"

"Do I want to know?" Lavender asked.

"You probably don't," Seamus replied jokingly.

Lavender frowned. "Now I'm intrigued. How many? More than 10?"

"Maybe," Seamus said. "Let's not get into that, aye?"

"No, no," Lavender said. "I want to know!"

"Why?" Seamus asked.

"Because I need to know," Lavender answered. "Do you know how many times I picked up a magazine over the years and saw your picture in there with some actress and they'd always have that standard 'we're just friends' rubbish. I'm not going to be mad, Seamus. I have you now and no one else is going to ruin what we have. I just...want to know."

"I only dated a few different people Lav," Seamus said, sitting on her sofa.

"Define 'a few'," she said sitting down beside him.

"Well for the first four years after leaving England I didn't date at all." Seamus said. "I didn't want to. Then... I would start noticing your characteristics in some actress on the set or around town. And we would be together, but it never lasts out there."

"You were looking for someone like me?" Lavender asked not bothering to hide her satisfaction with his answer. "But Summer---she was nothing like me, Seamus."

"You don't understand how much she was like you," Seamus replied. "Maybe not in looks necessarily, but her energy was a lot like yours, and her spunk."

"I have nothing in common whatsoever with that...toddler," Lavender scoffed. "She was an absolute airhead, Seamus. I admit I'm nowhere near as smart as Hermione, but at least I know what's going on and I have some common sense."

"If you took some time to talk with her you'd realise she's not a bad person," Seamus said gently. "She's still my friend Lav. You're the woman I love but she is a friend. I hope you can accept that."

"I'll accept it," Lavender said reluctantly. "But I won't have to like it."

"You won't at first if I know you," Seamus grinned at her. "But eventually I think you'll find her to be a good shopping partner." he nudged her side.

"Don't count on it," Lavender said. "Let's put it this way. I'll go shopping with Summer when you go golfing with Draco Malfoy. How about that?"

Seamus shook his head. "How about we wager on this?" he asked.

"What sort of wager?" She asked.

"Three massages, thirty quid, and a very romantic date, paid for by the loser," Seamus said as if he'd rehearsed it.

"Prepare to pay up because I'm never going shopping with Stormy Weather or whatever she calls herself these days," Lavender said confidently.

"Lav," Seamus said. "These people are a part of my life."

Lavender sighed. She really was trying to be more mature than she had in the past about this. Seamus was with her now and he wanted to marry her. "I know, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Seamus replied. "I know this is all moving fast but I just hope you'll keep an open mind. She's really nice, as are most of the people I know. And they're going to love you. You're going to fit right in like a glove."

"I'm glad you're so confident," Lavender said, finally voicing the slight doubts she had about this move. "I'm not going to know anyone, Seamus."

"This is Hollywood we're talking about," Seamus grinned. "Even if no one knows you, when they find out what a great designer you are they'll want to be your best friend."

"I wish I could take Hermione and the kids with me," Lavender said wistfully. "I suppose running the Ministry is more important than keeping me company."

Seamus laughed. "Maybe a bit," he replied. "But they'll come over to visit anytime you want. And the first few days, I want you on set with me so you can meet everyone."

Lavender nodded. "And she did say that I could still pop in whenever I wanted, too. Harry wasn't too happy about that, but he just doesn't understand."

Seamus laughed harder. "Harry just likes giving you a hard time."

"He's very good at giving me a hard time," Lavender said laughing. "I think he's going to miss me, too. He'd never admit it, but he will."

"Of course he will," Seamus said. "You're a hard person to let go."

"So are you," Lavender said.

Seamus gave her another kiss. "I'll let you get back to work then," he replied. "I'm glad you're coming back with me after Julie's party."

"Me too," Lavender said standing up so she could walk him out. "Do you really like the dress robes?"

"I do," Seamus replied. "They're gorgeous, just like you."

"Sweet talker," Lavender said opening up her studio door. "Now get out of here so I can get back to work."

"Right," Seamus said. "I'll see you later for dinner?"

"Of course," Lavender said kissing him one last time.

Seamus kissed her back. "Around seven?"

"Sounds perfect," she said softly. "I love you, Finnigan."

"Love you too, soon to be Finnigan," he replied.

27. Someday We'll be Together

A/N: Well this story is finally starting to draw to a close- we’re guessing anywhere between 2 and 4 chapters left before it’s finished!!!

This is the chapter a lot of you have been waiting for- Harry and Nick have their chat, and Nick and Julie also see each other again for the first time since the disastrous night at the club. Josh and Lizzy also have a cute moment in the kitchen as well.

As always, please take a few seconds and let us know what you think of this chapter! See you all on Saturday!!

Someday We’ll be Together – Diana Ross and the Supremes

My love is yours, baby
Oh, right from the stars
You, you, you posses my soul now honey
And I know, I know you own my heart
And I wanna say:

Someday we'll be together
Some sweet day we'll be together
Yes we will, yes we will
Someday (tell everybody) we'll be together
Yes we will, yes we will

Long time ago
My, my sweet thing
I made a big mistake, honey
I said, I said goodbye
Oh, oh baby
Ever, ever, ever since that day
Now, now all I wanna do is cry, cry

Nick sat on the sofa between Greta and Arthur, looking through an old photo album. Molly was on the other side of the room, knitting needles flashing in the firelight beside her as she knitted several blankets for her grandchildren with the aid of magic.

"I just can't believe that's my mother," Nick said, looking at an old newspaper clipping of his mother and her siblings in Egypt. "She looks so..."

"Happy?" Arthur said fondly looking at the 12-year old Ginny waving enthusiastically at them. "She was such a sweet girl, Nicholas."

Nick shook his head. "She's so different now."

Arthur nodded and turned the page of the photo album. This photo was of Ginny, Ron, and Harry sitting in the backyard of the Burrow. Ginny was laughing at something Harry said.

"That was taken the summer before Harry and Ron's sixth year at Hogwarts," Arthur explained.

Nick smiled. "Uncle Ron doesn't look much different."

"Always looked like he was up to something," Molly said looking over at them.

"Harry doesn't look much different either," Nick noted.

"I should think he looks more relaxed now than he did then," Arthur said quietly. "He's been through hell and back..."

Molly nodded. "He was always a nice, polite boy though."

Nick nodded. "Julie has his eyes," he said.

Arthur smiled and flipped the pages toward the back of the album. "We have some photos of your girl when she was just a baby."

"You do?" Nick asked with obvious interest.

Arthur nodded and pointed to a Muggle photograph. "That was her christening."

Nick smiled at a baby Julie. "I miss her," he said, so quietly he didn't know if anyone had heard him or not.

Greta rubbed his back. "You'll get her back Nick," she said.

"I'm not so sure," Nick said with a frown.

"I am," Greta said. "You're quite charming when you want to be."

"I agree," Molly smiled at him from across the room.

"And it's not like you to give up," Greta continued. "I know you better than anyone Nick."

"I know," Nick said. "I have always loved a challenge, but you didn't see the look on her face the other night, Greta. And on Chiaki's...they both hate me."

"They don't hate you," Arthur said. "I'm willing to wager they don't understand what happened, and when they find out, everything will be fine."

Greta smiled at Arthur. She didn't know what she could do to thank them for the hospitality they'd shown not only Nick, but to her, too. She was a stranger to them, but they'd treated her like family the moment they'd arrived. Once again she wondered how Ginny and Draco Malfoy could have kept their son away from these wonderful people.

"Arthur's right," she told Nick.

"I hope so," Nick said.

The fireplace whooshed at that moment and a few seconds later Ron was tumbling through, brushing himself off. "Hi Mum, hi Dad."

"Ronald!" Molly said with her hand over her heart. "You scared me half to death!"

"Sorry," Ron grinned. "Hullo Nick."

"Hi, Uncle Ron," Nick said warmly.

"Where are my babies?" Molly asked scolding her grandson. "Luna owled me that you were going to stop by for Maddie's robes, but I really wanted to see them, Ronald."

"I dropped Maddie and the girls off at Harry's," Ron explained. "I had to take them shopping today."

Arthur laughed. "Tired you out, did they?"

"That they did," Ron nodded. He saw the older woman sitting next to Nick and held his hand out. "You must be Greta," he said. "It's nice to finally meet you. Nick's told us a lot about you."

"Believe half of it," Greta said playfully nudging Nick. "He tends to exaggerate."

"I do not," Nick said, smiling at her.

Greta laughed. "It's nice to meet you, Ron. Nick told me how kind you and your family have been to him."

Ron grinned at his nephew. "Aye, he's a good bloke," he replied. "Hey Mum, I was hoping that you might have something set aside from dinner. Hermione's trying to cook and things were getting pretty bad back there."

"Oh dear," Molly said grimacing. "What is she trying to make?"

"I don't know," Ron replied. "It was black and smelled like rubber when I left. Everyone else was being polite but I'm too hungry to do anything else."

"So you let your children and wife to suffer?" Molly asked shaking her head. "You are too much, Ron."

"I asked if they wanted to come," Ron shrugged.

Molly didn't believe him, but she stood up anyway. "You're in luck. I made some Shepherd's Pie."

Ron's mouth started to water. "You're the best Mum." he looked over at his nephew. "I also wanted to have a quick word, Nick."

Arthur and Greta went into the kitchen with Molly to give them their privacy.

"Is this good news or bad news?" Nick asked.

"Well I know that you going to the club the other night didn't work," Ron said.

"It was a disaster," Nick said grimacing at the mention of it. He had a feeling that Julie had shared this news with everyone and he was persona non grata in the Potter household as a result.

Ron patted his shoulder. "Well... I do have a bit of good news..."

"I'll take it," Nick said sitting back down.

"I talked to Harry," Ron said. "And he agreed to hear you out. I know it's not Julie... but if you can convince Harry then you'll at least be able to go over there."

Nick paled. "He'll never believe me, Ron."

"He will if you're honest," Ron replied. "I know Harry. I've been best mates with him since we were eleven. He's got a temper but if there's one thing he respects, it's honestly."

Nick sighed. He could still remember the look on Harry's face that last day at Hillsdale. This wouldn't be an easy task. "I don't know what you did to get him to agree to this, but thanks."

"I care about you Nick," Ron said. "Despite what my sister has said and done, you're still my nephew."

"I appreciate it more than you know," Nick said hugging his uncle. "I hope your kids know how lucky they are--to have both you and Luna."

"You should tell them that," Ron said. "Sometimes I don't think they know it." he laughed.

"Next time I see them, I will," Nick promised. "How are they all doing? I miss them."

"Everyone's fine," Ron replied. "By the way, Maddie wanted me to make you promise you'd be at Julie's party. She wants to dance with you," he grinned.

Nick laughed. "If Julie's dad doesn't grind me into a pulp tell Maddie she's got a date."

"I will," Ron replied. "And don't worry about Harry. Like I said- just tell him the truth."

"That I can do," Nick said with a wry smile. "Whether or not he believes me, that's out of my hands."

"Right," Ron said. "I think he will. He's seen and been through enough to know when someone is lying and when they aren't."

"So when should I talk to him?" Nick asked.

"Anytime you want," Ron said. "Although, I do recommend you do it before Julie's party if you want to attend."

"Maybe I'll go by his office," Nick said thoughtfully.

"That's a good idea," Ron encouraged.

"Come on, Ronald," Molly called from the kitchen. "Dinner is served!"

Ron gleefully got up. "Hungry Nick?"

"Starving," Nick said. "And just so you know---before you got here, Nana said I could get the biggest serving."

"I'll race you for it," Ron replied.

Nick opened his mouth to respond, but his uncle had already taken off for the kitchen. "No fair!" Nick called out.

"All's fair in hunger and food Nick," Ron sat before the largest plate. "And I've got the bigger stomach."

"He's definitely got the biggest mouth," Molly teased, winking at her grandson.

"Hey!" Ron said his mouth already full.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Molly admonished.

"Okay Mum," Ron said, shovelling in more food.

Nick shook his head. "Was he always like this?"

"He used to be worse," Molly said with a grin. "If you can imagine that."

"Hello," Ron said staring at them abashed. "I am sitting right here, you know."

"Sorry love," Molly replied. "But you know it's true."

Nick shared a smile with Greta. He'd meant what he said to Ron earlier. He hoped that his cousins did realise what a great father they had.

*** *** ***

The party plans were well underway as Julie's birthday party was that weekend. Julie had a third interview with that school in Guilford so she couldn't help out like she'd planned.

Hermione was going over some of her last minute lists as she and Ethan enjoyed a late breakfast. All morning long her son kept looking at her as if he wanted to ask her something, but every time she looked at him, he just went back to eating his French toast.

Harry walked into the kitchen and kissed his wife on the cheek as he helped himself to some French toast. As he walked past his son, he ruffled Ethan's hair.

"I thought you had to be in the office at nine," Hermione said looking up from her notes.

"I'm going in a little bit later," Harry said. "Thought I'd help out this morning."

"You should really go and pick up those extra chairs and tables," Hermione said checking those off the list. "I was going to meet Lavender to talk about the decorations. But I have a doctor's appointment at one."

"Okay," Harry replied. "You didn't make this did you?" he asked, about to dig into his French Toast.

"No," Hermione said glaring at him. "Anna did."

Ethan grimaced at the memory of his mother's attempt at cooking last night. "What was it supposed to be, Mummy?"

"Chicken," Hermione answered, glaring at her husband. "And not a word from you."

"I wasn't going to say anything," Harry said innocently. "I just really wish you would have told me you were planning on cooking so I could have talked you out of it."

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "Although I liked the Chinese food we got instead. I think I like it better than fish and chips!"

"Here, here," Harry said before tucking into his breakfast.

Hermione stood up to get herself some more juice and as she came back to the table, she noticed Ethan's eyes on her tummy.

"Something the matter, sweetheart?" Hermione asked taking her seat again.

Ethan shrugged. "I was just wondering..."

"What?" Harry asked when Ethan hesitated.

"Well, I was wondering where..." Ethan began. "Where did the baby come from, Mum?"

Hermione choked on her juice and began coughing.

Harry patted his wife on the back and suppressed a grin.

"The baby?" Hermione finally managed to say. "You want to know where the baby came from?"

"Yes," Ethan nodded. "How does it get in your tummy?"

It was Hermione's turn to blush as she thought about the best way to explain this to a seven-year old.

"Um," she started. "Well, you see Ethan...."

"When a mummy and a daddy love each other," Harry said. "Especially when they love each other as much as your mum and I do..."

Hermione nodded. "They can...well that is they sort of..."

"When they get married, a mummy and a daddy make love," Harry tried to explain. "And sometimes, when they do that, they might have a baby."

Ethan looked at them both in confusion. "How can you make love? Is it something you have to cook?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and laughed. "No sweetheart," Hermione said. "It's something that happens when two people love each other."

"But how does the baby get in there?" Ethan asked pointing at Hermione's stomach.

Harry looked at his wife. "Well..." he said.

Hermione decided to take the biological approach. "Well you see Daddies have sperm cells and mummies have egg cells...."

"What cells?" Ethan looked confused. "And you have eggs in your body Mummy?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes, I do. And see the tiny sperm cell from the Daddy comes together with a tiny egg cell from the mother and this makes a baby. "

Ethan looked at his father. "I don't understand."

Harry smiled at his son. "It's not as easy question to answer, little man."

"How come?" Ethan asked.

"You're still very young and some things you aren't able to understand," Harry explained. "But to put it simply I think that you should know that a little part of the Dad comes together with a little part of the Mum and that's what makes a baby. The baby is going to grow in your Mum's stomach for about nine months..."

"And I grew in there too?" Ethan asked, his eyes looking at his mother's still flat stomach.

"You sure did," Harry answered. "And so did Julie."

"Wow," Ethan said. "I can't believe a whole baby can fit in there!"

Hermione laughed. "Neither can I sometimes. But as he or she gets bigger so will my tummy."

"So when will the baby come out of your tummy?" Ethan asked, trying to process all this information. "And how does it get out of your tummy?"

"The baby will be ready to come out in about nine months," Hermione replied. "The doctor will take the baby out when it's time."

"How does the doctor take the baby out?" Ethan asked. His eyes grew wide suddenly. "Does the doctor have to cut your tummy open?"

"Sometimes they do," Hermione said. "But the baby can come out another way too..."

"Which way?" Ethan asked.

Harry patted his son's shoulder. "Well..." he began. "Mummy will have to push the baby..."

"How can she push the baby when it's in her tummy?" Ethan interjected. "Will you use magic?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "We'll use magic."

"Oh, okay," Ethan said, nodding. He was still trying to process this information, but he seemed to be getting the gist of it.

"What brought all this on, little man?" Harry asked.

"I'm just curious," Ethan said. "I like to know things."

Harry nodded and looked at Hermione. "He gets that from you, you know that?"

Hermione smiled. "Obviously," she said smugly.

"Can I have some more French toast?" Ethan asked.

"Of course," Harry said, dumping another three slices on his son's plate.

Hermione gratefully went back to her list.

Ethan looked at Harry. "Dad, can I ask one more question?"

"Sure you can," Harry said.

"Why does everyone call you and Mummy rabbits?" Ethan asked innocently.

Hermione looked up from her list and began to laugh.

"Would you look at the time?" Harry asked, taking one last bite of his breakfast. "I should really get going on those chairs and tables..."

"Daddy," Ethan said. "I'm just curious!"

"Yeah," Hermione said smiling at her husband. "Why does everyone call us that?"

"Because when your mum was younger, she had three rabbits as pets," Harry said quickly. "And she named them Binky, Winky and Slinky."

Hermione stifled a laugh.

"I don't get it," Ethan said looking back and forth between them.

"You won't until you're older love," Hermione kissed the top of his head.

"You always say that," Ethan said grumpily. "But when I'm older, you'd better tell me."

"I think you'll figure it out on your own," Harry teased.

"I could always ask Aunt Cho," Ethan said smiling at them. "She'd tell me."

"No she won't," Harry said.

"Yes she will," Ethan countered.

"Not if I blackmail her first," Harry replied.

*** *** ***

Josh crossed his arms as his brother turned to Allison and they began snogging again. They were all finishing their lunch and Maddie was staring at Jon with her eyes wide. "Josh why is Jon doing that to Allie?"

"Apparently Jon and Allie have decided to be joined at the lips," Josh wisecracked.

"I think Al just needs some oxygen," Lizzy started teasing as well.

"Watch this," Josh whispered conspiratorially to Lizzy. He looked across the table. "Hello, Mr. Longbottom. Did you want to have lunch?"

Jon jerked back as if he'd been burned. "Hey!" he frowned at his brother. "Just because you're too shy to snog Lizzy doesn't mean you have to take the Mickey out of me and Al for it."

Josh blushed. "Shut it, Jon!"

Allison grinned at Jon. "Come on. There's something... out back that I want to show you."

"Allie, you're not fooling us," Maddie looked conspiratorially at Josh. "Right Josh?"

"We can't get anything past you can we, Maddie?" Jon asked.

"Nope," Maddie shook her head. "I'm the smartest one!"

Drew grinned at her little sister. "Come on then. Dad wanted us to help upstairs."

"Okay," Maddie climbed out of her chair. "Be good Josh," she said to her other brother.

"Always," Josh grinned. He turned back around and looked at his brother. "Come on. We should probably clean up. And you're not getting out of it this time."

"But there's something that Al has to show me," Jon grabbed his girlfriend's hand. "You don't mind Josh, right? Didn't think so. You're the best." and like that he pulled Allison out of the room.

Josh shook his head and looked at Lizzy who was still sitting at the table with a bemused expression on her face.

"Can you believe him?" Josh muttered. "Al has something to show him? She probably wants to show him her tonsils. They never come up for air, Lizzy. Never. If her dad knew what they were doing..."

"Come on Josh don't be a cold fish," Lizzy said. "I'll help you."

Josh smiled sheepishly at her. They gathered up the plates, glasses and silverware and made their way over to the kitchen sink. "So do you want to wash or dry?"

"I'll wash," Lizzy ran water into the sink. "This would be so much easier if we could do this with magic.

"Tell me about it," Josh agreed. He changed a sideways glance at her and had to admit that she was a pretty girl. She wore her hair in plaits again and he realised that he'd never seen her with her hair down since she'd arrived.

"One more year for you, two for me," Lizzy replied. "I can't believe you're in your last year already."

"Neither can I," Josh said with a laugh. "It seems like just yesterday I was some scrawny, gawky 11-year old getting on the Hogwarts Express. Now, I'm just a scrawny, gawky 16-year old."

"You're not scrawny," Lizzy said boldly. "Geeky, maybe." she laughed.

"Geeky?" Josh asked frowning at her. He splashed some water on her. "How's that for geeky?"

"Hey!" Lizzy sent a small wave of water his way. "Take that Weasley!"

"Oh, you're going to pay for that!" Josh said, grabbing some of the soapy water in his hands and dousing her with it. "HAHA!"

"You!" Lizzy started laughing. She cupped her hands full of water and flung it at him. It hit him square in the face.

Josh lunged for her and tickled her side. "You don't fight fair, Elizabeth!"

"You started it Joshua!" Lizzy retorted, wiping off her glasses.

"That's because you called me geeky," Josh retorted. He laughed. "You've got some soap on your chin..."

"I do?" Lizzy asked, "Where?"

Josh stepped closer and grabbed a dishtowel. He gently dabbed at her chin with it. "Right there."

"Thanks," she said softly.

Josh's hand lingered on her cheek. "You're welcome."

"So um..." Lizzy actually felt flustered. "What... were we talking about before our little water war?"

"I forget," Josh whispered before leaning in and softly kissing her.

Lizzy's eyes popped open in surprise before she snapped them shut and kissed him back. Was he finally returning her feelings?

Josh rested his hands on her waist and pulled her closer. As he spent more time with Lizzy, he liked her more and more. Truth be told, he didn't really know what to make of her.

Lizzy kissed him harder as she wound her arms around his neck. She felt him pull her glasses off and set them on the counter.

They kissed for a long period of time before Josh felt water on his feet. He looked down to see that they'd left the water running and the sink had overflowed.

"Shite!" Josh swore pulling away from a dazed Lizzy.

"Uh oh," she said, giggling.

Josh turned the water off and picked up the dish towel. "We were supposed to be cleaning up and we made more of a mess."

"We have a good reason for it," Lizzy said.

Josh blushed. "Something tells me Aunt Hermione and Uncle Harry wouldn't be too happy to see that we flooded their kitchen."

"Probably not," Lizzy grabbed another dish towel and began mopping up the water.

"So," Josh asked as they both mopped up the water. "Julie's party...."

"What about Julie's party?"

"Well, I'm going to be there," Josh began. "And you're going to be there...."

"Yes," Lizzy realised where he was going with this and grinned.

"And you know we could probably---you know---go together, if you wanted."

"I'd love to go with you," Lizzy agreed immediately.

Josh sighed. "It's okay. I mean if you don't want to go..."

"Hello Josh?" Lizzy tossed her wet towel at him. "I said I'd love to go with you."

"You would?" Josh asked. "Really?"

"Really," Lizzy replied.

"Great," Josh said smiling at her. He was about to kiss her again when Anna came into the kitchen.

"Lizzy?" Anna asked. She saw her daughter and Josh sitting on the floor both nearly soaking wet. "Elizabeth, what on earth happened?"

"We had a little accident Mum," Lizzy replied, her face red.

Anna laughed. "It would seem so. Come on then. Remember? We were going to get you some new dress robes for the party."

"Right," Lizzy got up. "Um... what do we do about all the water?"

"I'll take care of it," Josh said quickly. "You go on ahead with your Mum."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked. "I mean... it was party my fault too."

"You can pay me back later," Josh said hoping she got his meaning.

"Right," Lizzy said.

"Or I could help you both out with this," Anna teased, producing her wand.

"You certainly could," Josh said smiling at Anna. "Thanks."

"No problem," Anna waved it and a moment later the entire kitchen was sparkling clean, and more importantly, dry.

"Thanks Mum," Lizzy said, putting her glasses back on. "I'll see you later Josh. This was fun," she smiled at him.

"You still owe me one," Josh whispered winking at her.

"We can discuss payment later," she said in his ear as her mother left the kitchen. When she saw they were alone, she pressed her lips to his again.

"See you later, Elizabeth," Josh said with a grin when they pulled apart.

"All right Joshua," she replied. "Sorry about that Mum," she said, joining her mother in the hallway.

"Anything you want to tell me?" Anna asked.

"Well..." Lizzy said. "Josh asked me to go to the party with him."

"He did?" Anna asked. "Before or after you had a water fight?"

"It was after, while we were trying to clean it up," Lizzy unwound one of her plaits and then the other.

"That's great, Lizzy," Anna said. "We'll have to get you some nice dress robes. My baby has her first date!"

"Mum!" Lizzy protested.

"That's right," Anna said. "This will technically be your second date!"

"Do you have to announce that to the entire Wizarding World?" Lizzy was red.

"I'm your mum," Anna said, putting an arm around her. "I'm supposed to embarrass you."

"Honestly," Lizzy pushed her glasses up.

"I can't wait to talk to Luna about this," Anna said happily. "Does she know about you and Josh?"

"About her and Josh what?" Luke said coming into the bedroom.

"We're going to the party together," Lizzy said, running her fingers through her long hair. "It's not a big deal."

"I think I might just have to have a few words with young Mr. Weasley," Luke said in his best stern father voice.

"Stop it," Lizzy said. "Mum's being embarrassing enough."

"Yes, Luke," Anna teased. "We should at least wait until their fourth date to have the 'talk'."

"Come on Mum, let's go," Lizzy said.

"I promise I won't say anything," Anna said grabbing her bag. "Now your father..."

"Dad promise you won't embarrass me," Lizzy said sternly.

"I promise I won't embarrass you," Luke vowed. "Intentionally."

"Fine," Lizzy shook her hair back- it was wavy now from being in the plaits and being splashed with water during her fight with Josh. "Mum and I will go out and spend all your money now."

"Anna," Luke said. "Tell me she's joking!"

Anna laughed at him. "Of course not love."

"Have fun then," Luke said kissing his wife. "And I promise to stay away from Josh, Elizabeth."

"Right," Lizzy grinned at her father.

*** *** ***

Harry was going over some old case files when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," Harry said absently.

Nick took a deep breath before pushing the door open hesitantly. He peeked around. "Um... hello..." he said.

Harry looked up and stared at the young man. "Close the door behind you."

"Sure," Nick said, doing so quickly. "So um... my uncle Ron said you would see me... I hope this isn't a bad time. If it is I'll come back. You name the time and I'll be here," he was speaking too fast and it made him wince.

Harry's expression was unreadable as he motioned for Nick to sit down. "Let's get something straight first, Malfoy. The only reason I agreed to meet with you is because Ron believes in you. If it weren't for him, I'd never have agreed to this...not after what you did."

"I understand," Nick said, sitting right in front of Harry.

"What is it you have to say then?" Harry asked leaning back in his chair.

Nick gulped nervously. He'd rehearsed what he was going to say all morning but now that he was actually here, the words left him. "Well... I wanted to explain why I did what I did."

Harry nodded.

"Well I know while we were all at Hillsdale, I told you about Greta." Nick continued, trying to make his voice not shake so much. "The last day we were there, after I left your cabin, my parents were waiting for me. They told me if I didn't dump- I mean break up with Julie, then they would sack Greta." Nick found his foothold. "Not just sack her, but they were going to spread the word that she stole from the house, and they would make sure she never got another job."

Harry could certainly believe Ginny and Draco were capable of a stunt like that, but it all seemed sort of convenient.

"I wouldn't have broken things off with her if it wasn't for that." Nick said. "I love her. I love Julie- when I first met her I wasn't looking for something long term but after I got to know her, I can't imagine being without her." he sighed and looked down. "The thing with Greta is... she's like my mum. She raised me. She's been around as long as I can remember. I'd do about anything for her because of everything she's ever done for me."

"Why didn't you tell Ron about this?" Harry asked quietly, his expression still giving nothing away. "You could have even told me when I came to question you."

"I couldn't," Nick said. "If I told you or my uncle, and you confronted my parents, who knows what they would have done to Greta?"

"So what happened when you returned to Sydney?" Harry asked

"They sacked her anyway," Nick said miserably.

That definitely sounded like Draco and Ginny, Harry thought. As he looked at Nick Malfoy sitting across from him, Harry saw the younger man's sad, faraway look. An overwhelming sense of deja vu came over Harry as he remembered walking into Dr. Robert Granger's office over 20 years ago and asking for Hermione's hand in marriage.

"So..." Nick took Harry's silence as a means to continue. "I packed up some things, and Greta came here with me. My parents froze my account, so I can't get to any of my money. My grandparents are letting us stay with them as long as we need."

"Molly and Arthur are good people," Harry commented.

Nick nodded. "They really are," he said. "It's been great getting to know them since I got here."

Harry was silent as he processed all that Nick had just told him. It certainly seemed plausible. Harry had even suspected from the very beginning that there was something more to Nick's sudden change of heart where Julie was concerned. But, Harry wasn't so quick to forgive. He'd spent the past few days watching his daughter try to pick up the pieces and carry on with her life.

"So um..." Nick clasped his sweaty hands together. "Is there anything else you wanted to know?"

Harry shook his head. "I think I've heard all that I need."

"Oh," Nick blew out his breath. "Okay..."

"I believe you, Nick," Harry said.

He stared at Harry for a moment. "You do?" he finally asked.

"Yes," Harry replied. "But it's not me you have to convince."

"I know," Nick said. "I still have to get Chiaki to believe me again too."

"You hurt them both a great deal," Harry said. "No matter how good your intentions were, you still hurt two people who thought they could trust you."

"I know," Nick bowed his head.

"It's not my place to invite you to her party," Harry said. "That will be up to Julie."

"Do you um... do you know how I could see her?" Nick asked.

Harry hesitated. He saw how well Ron's attempt to help things out between Nick and Julie had gone. Harry didn't want to be the cause of his daughter crying in a dark room again.

"Hermione, Ethan and I are taking her out tomorrow evening for a celebration dinner. She got that teaching job she wanted," Harry answered.

"I don't know if it's a good idea that I show up," Nick answered. "I mean... that's what happened last time and it didn't work."

"You can come by the house after our dinner," Harry suggested. "If she wants you to leave, I hope you'll respect her wishes."

"I will," Nick said. They were both silent a moment. "Do you think she'll listen to me though? I wouldn't blame her for wanting to throw me right out."

"Neither would I," Harry admitted. "But, I've been in your shoes, Nick."

"You have?" he asked.

Harry nodded. "Hermione and I had a problem in our relationship right after we moved in together. His name was Gordon."

"What did he do?" Nick was curious.

"What didn't he do would be the more appropriate question," Harry said sarcastically. Truth was, he hadn't thought much about Gordon Devereaux in years. "He was an old schoolmate of Hermione's. Long story short, he was a very sick individual. He manipulated everything and made Hermione feel sorry for him. She thought he could do no wrong."

"And she finally realised that he wasn't all she thought he was?" Nick guessed.

"Not right away," Harry replied. "I had your Aunt Luna dig up some information on him and I showed it to her and she dismissed it all. She didn't even look at it, Nick. Here I was with concrete proof and she didn't even want to look at it. I was at the end of my rope and I-I walked out on her."

Nick was so surprised at that his eyebrows shot up. "You did?"

"It's not something I'm proud of," Harry answered. "But yeah, I did. And I was scared that I'd lost her forever."

"But you didn't," Nick was eager to hear the rest of the story, even though the ending was obvious.

"No, I didn't," Harry said with a smile. "I stayed out all night and went to see her father the next morning. I was about as nervous as you were before you walked in here. I told him that Hermione and I had a terrible row, but that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. When I came home, she was finally ready to listen to what I'd found out."

"And after that you worked everything out and got married," Nick said.

"That's the condensed version," Harry said laughing. "But yeah, that's what happened."

"I hope I can make that work for me too," Nick smiled. "Despite what I said to Julie I do love her."

"I know," Harry said. "We should be home tomorrow evening around nine."

"I'll come by then," Nick said. "This really means a lot to me sir."

"Good luck, Nick," Harry said giving him a reassuring smile. "My daughter's as stubborn as her mother."

Nick let out a shaky laugh. "Well here's hoping I can get through to her then."

"And to Chiaki," Harry said. "I guess I don't have to tell you, she's not your biggest fan right about now."

"I know," Nick said. "Guess I'll just work on everyone one at a time. Something tells me she'll be easier to convince than Julie."

"I'm not so sure," Harry said. "Your father said some horrible things to her, Nick. She trusted you and thought that you weren't like him. Not only did you hurt her best friend, you betrayed her trust. Chiaki's my goddaughter and I love her dearly, but she can hold a grudge better than anyone I've ever met in my life."

Those weren't words that Nick was hoping to hear and his face fell. "Maybe I should go over and see her right now," he said.

"That might be a good idea," Harry said.

Nick nodded. "I really appreciate this," he said. "It means a lot that you believe me."

"I didn't want to," Harry said. "Especially not after seeing Julie these past few days. But, I know it must have taken a great deal of courage for you to do what you did for Greta."

"She means a lot to me," Nick replied. "But so does Julie."

"Your parents knew that would have been a tough choice for you to make," Harry said quietly. "They knew that either way you went, someone you loved would be hurt."

"Well I'm hoping that this way I can make both people I love happy," Nick said, scuffing his foot along the carpeted floor.

"I wish you luck," Harry said. "Just tell her the truth like you told me."

"I will I promise." Nick stood up but he must have looked like he was going to say something else for Harry stood up as well.

"So I guess we'll see you tomorrow evening?" Harry asked walking Nick to the door.

"Yeah," Nick said. "You know, my uncle Ron was right about you. He said you were a fair guy. He said you'd listen to me and believe me if I told the truth and I did."

Harry smiled. "He said that, did he? Well, like I said before, I've been in your shoes before."

"More than I ever knew," Nick put out his hand.

Harry shook Nick's hand. "If she decides to give you a second chance, don't screw it up, Nick."

"More like a third chance," Nick said ruefully. "I was a bit of a prat the first time around too."

Harry could also relate to that. He remembered how horrible he'd been to Hermione when she'd first arrived at Hillsdale.

"See you tomorrow evening," Harry said patting him on the back.

"Right," Nick said. "And thanks again."

Harry watched Nick walk away. He hoped that everything would go okay and that most of all his daughter wouldn't end up hurt again.

*** *** ***

Julie arrived back at the house, feeling happier than she had in awhile. She had the job she'd been wanting since she had first interviewed there and her parents had been flanking her with attention all evening, as had Ethan. "Thanks for a great night Mum, Dad." she said. "It was really nice."

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Hermione said putting an arm around her. "We're so proud of you!"

"Thanks," Julie leaned against her mother, a smile on her face. "How come you keep checking your watch Dad?"

"Yeah, Harry," Hermione teased. "You have a date or something?"

"No," Harry replied. "Smartarse. Ethan's tired so I wanted to be back somewhat early."

"I'm not tired, Daddy!" Ethan exclaimed skipping up the stairs.

"All right, then I am," Harry replied.

"Okay Dad," Julie shook her head as they came into the house. "I'm going to get something to drink."

"I'm thirsty too," Hermione said following Julie into the kitchen. Julie, however, had stopped abruptly and Hermione nearly bounded into her. When Hermione saw who it was, she scowled. Nick Malfoy was sitting in her kitchen talking with Ron as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"What's he doing here?" Hermione asked narrowing her eyes at Ron.

"He's here to explain some things." Harry said naturally. "Come on into the bedroom."

"Right," Ron got up. "I think I'll go to bed as well."

"You knew about this?" Hermione asked as Harry practically pulled her out of the kitchen.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Not so loud love."

Nick nervously stood up and stared at Julie as he heard Harry leading Hermione away.

"Hi," he said with a slight smile.

Julie folded her arms over her chest and stared coolly back at him.

This wasn't starting out well at all, Nick thought morosely. He picked up the bouquet of pink roses he'd bought on his way over here. "These are for you."

"Oh," Julie said coolly, making no movement at all.

Nick nodded and placed the flowers back on the counter. "Congratulations on your job, by the way. That's really great news, Jules."

"Thank you," Julie finally softened her stance and moved a little into the room.

"Don't be angry at your dad," Nick began.

"Why would I be angry at him?" Julie asked. "There's only one person in this house I'm in a strop with right now."

"As you should be," Nick said. "But you really don't have the full story, Julie."

"Really," Julie said in a disinterested tone.

Nick sighed. "No, you don't. I love you, Julie. I always have. I never stopped. What I said that last day at Hillsdale, that wasn't me."

"Right," Julie said sarcastically. "And I forgot to mention that I'm the Queen of England."

This was a bloody disaster, Nick thought. He stepped closer to her. "Julie, if I didn't love you why would I have come back here---humiliating myself and asking for your forgiveness? I gave up everything for you---can't you see that?"

"You what?" Julie forgot her anger for a moment.

"I don't know what my uncle has told you, but that last day at Hillsdale, my parents gave my an ultimatum. They said that if I didn't break things off with you, they'd sack Greta. They made it clear that they'd tarnish her reputation and make sure she never worked for any family ever again."

He shook his head. "When we got home, they sacked her anyway, Julie. She's been with them for years and they just...sacked her. I thought we'd had a deal, but I should have known better that my parents' word doesn't mean much. So, Greta and I left. We didn't know where we were going to go or what we were going to do, but we left. As you can probably imagine my dad didn't take too well to this. He froze my accounts."

Julie stared at him, comprehending what he just told her.

Nick shrugged. "I've been staying with my grandparents. They've been really great. I've met my Grandpa and he's as brilliant as you told me he was."

Julie was conflicted- she wasn't sure whether or not she could believe him.

"If this was all some ruse on my part or if I thought what you and I had was just some fling, would I be here? Ask yourself that, Julie."

"I suppose not," she finally said quietly.

For the first time in days, Nick felt a surge of hope. "I keep seeing the look on your face that day. I hated saying those awful things to you, Julie."

"Then why did you?" Julie asked.

"What?" Nick asked taken aback. "I--I just told you..."

"You could have come to me Nicholas," Julie said. "You could have told me what your parents were doing. I'd have helped you stage some false break-up or something," Julie snapped. "But instead you chose to hurt me."

"I know," Nick said with a pained expression on his handsome features. "I didn't think, Julie. My parents didn't give me much time."

Julie shook her head. "I just don't know Nick," she said softly.

"If you need time to think about it---that's okay," Nick said. "But I'm not going anywhere, Julie. I'm here. I love you."

"I love you too," Julie said, surprising herself.

Nick hadn't expected her to say it either. He smiled. "Still?"

"I had this dream the other night," Julie said as he sat down beside her. "You came into my room and you told me all this. Not as detailed, but after you kissed me, your mother and father were there, and they were laughing, saying that you tricked me again. And then you started laughing at me too, and it was like you breaking things off all over again."

Nick took her hand. "Jules, I'm sorry for everything. You believe that, right? I mean you do understand why I did what I did, don't you?"

"I don't know," Julie looked away from him.

It was silent between them for a long time. Nick didn't know what else he could say to convince her.

"Your birthday party is this weekend, right?" he asked quietly.

"You know it is," Julie said softly.

Nick smiled. "Am I still invited?"

"I don't care what you do," Julie said, still trying to pretend she wasn't interested in what he did.

"So if I showed up, you wouldn't care?" Nick asked her. "And if I did, you wouldn't hex me or anything?"

"There's going to be a lot of people there," Julie shrugged. "I probably wouldn't have any time for you."

"If its all the same to you, I think I will go," Nick said. "I'll get to see my cousins and I'd really like to talk with Chiaki, too."

Julie shrugged again. "Whatever." she looked back at him.

Nick didn't want to leave, but he certainly didn't want to overstay his welcome. It was enough for now that she'd agreed to hear him out and that she admitted that she still loved him.

"It's late," Nick said standing up. "I should probably get back to the Burrow."

"Fine," Julie pulled her knees up and hugged them to her chest.

Nick nodded and looked down at her. He kissed the top of her head. "Good night, Julie."

"Goodbye Nicholas," her tone was cool, but not as cold as it had been before.

Nick gave her one last smile before walking out.

Julie let out a breath once he'd left the room. He certainly had some good points but she didn't know if she truly wanted to forgive him. She picked up the flowers he'd brought her and buried her nose into them.

"Those are pretty flowers," Hermione said from the doorway.

"Mum!" Julie jumped, startled. "How... how long were you there?"

"Just a few seconds," Hermione said. "I'm not very happy with your father at the moment."

"He let Nick in to see me," Julie got up and started searching the cabinets for a vase.

Hermione walked over to the cabinet by the icebox and pulled out a crystal vase. "Here you are love."

"Thanks," Julie said softly. She pulled the flowers out of the wrapper and began to arrange them.

Hermione was still upset with Harry for not telling her that he'd spoken with Nick. She was also mad that he hadn't at least warned Julie so she wouldn't have to be ambushed.

"Are you okay, Julie?" Hermione asked.

"I'm fine," Julie replied.

Harry came into the kitchen and looked at his wife who turned away from him.

"Dad it's okay," Julie said before either of her parents could talk. "Really."

"You're really not angry?" Harry asked.

Julie shook her head. "I know he talked to you," she replied. "I knew it before I even saw him here tonight."

"How?" Harry asked.

"I just did." Julie said, playing with the pink roses.

"Well I didn't," Hermione said angrily.

"Hermione, I told you--"

"No," Hermione said rounding on him. "Once again you decided what was best for everyone!"

"It's fine Mum," Julie picked up the vase. "I'm taking this to my room."

"Good night, sweetheart," Hermione said, deliberately ignoring her husband as she made her way to the icebox.

Harry caught his daughter's arm as she was about to leave the room. "I didn't do it to hurt you sweetheart. You know that right?"

Julie nodded. "I know, Dad. Good night."

"Good night," Harry kissed her forehead.

Hermione poured herself a cup of pumpkin juice and sat down at the table.

"Hermione," Harry began. "You know I'd never do anything to hurt--"

"I know that!" Hermione snapped.

"Then why are you acting like this?" Harry asked.

"Because you didn't tell me," Hermione replied. "As usual..."

"He only came to see me yesterday," Harry said, his tone rigid. "And in case you've forgotten, we're entertaining guests and I, once again, had to make dinner for about twenty people, with Ron's appetite."

"We were alone last night," Hermione pointed out. "And this evening when we were getting ready to take the kids to dinner."

"I forgot, okay?" Harry said. "I don't have the memory that you do."

"You forgot?" Hermione asked incredulously. "The reason your daughter has been walking around here all sad and depressed comes to see you and that just slipped your mind? Give me a little credit, Harry."

"Hermione, I'm not perfect okay?" Harry snapped. "The guy made a mistake. He came to my office and told me what happened and I believed him. He told me he loves Julie."

"I just wish you'd have told me," Hermione said her tone somewhat softer. "That's all."

"What would you have done?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said quietly. "I just would have liked to know what was going on. She's my daughter, too."

Harry sighed. "I know. But I do believe him. And I believed him when he told me he loves Julie. So I told him to come over here tonight to try and talk to her."

"You believe him?" Hermione asked. "Really?"

Harry nodded. "I can tell when someone's being honest."

"I know," Hermione said. "I'm sorry for getting so mad..."

"It's okay," Harry said. "I should have said something to you."

Hermione smiled. "You're really hard to stay mad at, Harry."

"It's part of my charm," Harry pulled her onto his lap.

"I love you," Hermione whispered.

"I love you," Harry kissed his wife.

"Let's go upstairs," Hermione said softly.

"And do what?" Harry asked mischievously.

"Make up of course," Hermione replied.

"And," Harry stood up with his wife in his arms.

Hermione grinned. "Whatever you want."

"I have one idea in mind," Harry kissed her hungrily as they left the kitchen.

28. Beautiful Life

Hi all- sorry for the late update- and to our anonymous reviewer who has taken to swearing at us if the chapter isn’t up- we do have lives, I’m sorry, and we both happened to be busy and not home until late. Fanfiction unfortunately has to come second to work and real life duties.

Anyways- there are two more chapters after this and Hillsdale Nights will be finished! We hope as always that you enjoy this and please leave us a few words to let us know what you think!

Beautiful Life - Charlotte Martin

You can't judge the love by the lover
The sky by its thunder
The road with no sign
You can't make the snow fall in summer
Or make him not want her
And not leave you behind
Maybe he'll stay in touch years down the road
And hope that he's still on your mind

The sun may come up and go down again
I'll still swear it's a beautiful life

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Hyde Park. Many people were taking full advantage ofthe day and were sitting on the grass enjoying picnics or playing impromptu games of football. Chiaki sat on one of the park benches deep in thought waiting for Toshio. After what had happened this morning, she needed to see him more than she ever had in her life. Her parents were both at work and she didn't want to disturb them.

"Okay, beautiful," Toshio said striding toward her. "What was so urgent that it couldn't wait?"

Without a word, Chiaki stood up and threw her arms around her fiancé. "Thank you so much for coming," she said, her face buried in his shoulder.

"What is it, Chi?" Toshio asked, hugging her back.

She pulled him down next to her on the bench. "My brother came to see me this morning," Chiaki said quietly.

Toshio frowned. "I'll say something to him. Tell him to leave you alone..."

"I don't know whether to believe him or not," Chiaki interrupted him. "He seemed so honest, but after what he did to Jules..."

"You trusted him before and you see where that got you," Toshio reminded her. "What exactly did he say to you?"

Chiaki explained to him what Nick's parents had done to them. "I guess I find it hard to believe anyone could do that to their kid, even though I know how horrible they are." she looked up at him. "I didn't tell you about meeting my birth father at Hillsdale."

"You met Draco Malfoy?" Toshio asked her. "I take it that it didn't go well?"

Chiaki shook her head. "He basically denied that I was his, even though we have the same eyes. He's horrible Tosh."

"We knew that," Toshio said gently, pulling her close. "Makes you appreciate Neville even more, doesn't it?"

"More than anything," Chiaki wiped her eyes. "But what do you think about Nick though? Part of me wants to believe him but the other part says he's just lying and wants to trick us again."

Toshio looked thoughtfully at her. "From what I've heard about his parents, it certainly seems plausible, Chi. But I can't tell you whether or not to believe him. That first day you met him---not that night at the club---but that day you met him with your family. What made you believe he was sincere then?"

"He was with my uncle Ron," Chiaki said. "And he was so nice to my sisters and they were squealing and making him sign their silly magazines."

"And when he talked to you this morning," Toshio said softly. "What was your first thought; your first instinct?"

"I almost slammed the door in his face," Chiaki said ruefully.

"Chi," Toshio said wiping a tear from her cheek. "Like I said before, I can't tell you what to think or how to feel. But, it sounds to me like he was telling you the truth. And Ron and his parents seem to believe him, too. They're usually a pretty good judge of character I think. They liked me, didn't they?"

He got the reaction he was hoping for when she laughed. "I suppose you're right," she said.

"There's that beautiful smile I love so much," he said, kissing her forehead.

Chiaki leaned against him as he put his arms around her. "Thank you," she said, her voice muffled. "I knew you'd help me figure things out."

"That's what I'm here for," Toshio said with a grin. "And if he is lying, I'll wipe the floor with him. See, I can be protective and caring all at the same time!"

Chiaki laughed harder this time. "I love you so much," she hugged him tightly.

"That's good to know," he whispered. "Because I love you so much, too."

"I can't wait until we're married," Chiaki replied. "And you're going to be such a good father someday."

"Will I now?" Toshio asked grinning at her.

"Yes," Chiaki said, giving him a kiss. "But don't expect that to happen anytime soon."

"Okay," Toshio said. "But I happen to have my flat to myself for the first time in days. No pesky flatmates to bother us. How about we go back to mine?"

"That sounds fabulous," Chiaki said as he helped her up.

"Alright now?" Toshio asked squeezing her hand.

"It will be," Chiaki said. "Sooner or later. I just wish Julie was as happy with someone, even Nick as I am with you."

"She will be," Toshio said with a cheeky grin. "But you realise good guys like me are hard to come by. Too bad I can't clone myself or something."

Chiaki laughed. "Two of you is more than this world could handle."

*** *** ***

Drew sat on the sofa, kicking her heels sullenly. Beside her, Jon was moodily staring out the window. Josh was happy, but only because Lizzy was sitting next to him, quite closely, on the loveseat reading a book. Luna and Maddie were wrapping the presents they had gotten for Julie and Darla was teasing Dolly, who was locked in her cage.

"It's not fair Mum," Drew burst out a moment later. "Why do we have to live all the way in Ireland?"

Luna looked up in surprise. "That's where your father's shops are, Drew."

"But Uncle Fred and Uncle George have shops here too!" Drew said angrily. "Why can't Dad run those instead?"

Luna had never heard Drew get this upset. Before she could answer her, Jon spoke up. "Yeah, we have no family in Ireland, Mum. No friends."

Josh looked up at his brother. "You never complained about it before," he said.

"I didn't have Allie before, did I?" Jon asked.

"Jon," Luna said quietly. "You'll only have to be away from Allie for a couple of weeks. Then, you'll be back at school."

"Whatever," Jon resumed his moody staring.

Drew swung her foot out again and kicked Dolly's cage. "I hate that stupid pixie," she snapped.

"Drew!" Luna chastised her.

Maddie began to cry. "You scared Dolly!"

"So what?" Drew kicked the cage again.

"Drew!" Luna exclaimed. "Don't do that!"

"It's just a stupid pixie," Drew was ready to throw quite a tantrum. She kicked the cage so hard it turned over on its side.

Maddie walked over and kicked her sister in the shin and both girls started crying.

"Lizzy?" Luna asked trying to stay calm. "Would you mind leaving me alone with my children?"

"Of course," Lizzy said, jumping up. "I think I hear my mum calling me anyways." she shot Josh a look as she made a graceful exit.

"You're mean!" Maddie hollered as soon as Lizzy had left. "You hate Dolly!"

"Everyone hates Dolly!" Drew retorted. "You get everything you want! I bet if YOU wanted to move back here we would!"

"Well I wouldn't do that to Daddy!" Maddie shouted back. "I don't make him sad like you do DREW!"

"I don't make him sad!" Drew said getting in her little sister's face. "At least I don't have some horrid pet that ate his favourite shirt!"

"I FIXED DADDY'S SHIRT!" Maddie's face was streaked with tears. "You just pouted and ate all his ice cream!"

"ENOUGH!" Luna exclaimed getting in between her daughters. "Apologise to your sister, Drew. And you apologise to Drew, Maddie."

"No," Drew crossed her arms.

"Drew Caroline Weasley," Luna hissed. "Apologise now or you'll go straight up to your room."

"No," Drew boldly faced her mother.

"Drew just say you're sorry." Josh said. "Don't be a brat." Maddie had retreated to his side and he was stroking her hair protectively.

"I'm sorry, Maddie," Drew said reluctantly.

"I'm sorry," Maddie said in a tiny voice. She still had tears running down her cheeks.

"I just don’t' get why that thing gets to live here and we don't," Drew muttered.

"Dolly's coming back with us, isn't she Mummy?" Maddie asked.

"Yes, if she doesn't get into any more trouble," Luna answered.

"It's just not fair." Drew crossed her arms as tears pricked at her eyes.

Luna hugged Drew. "Sweetheart, what brought all of this on? I thought you loved living in Ireland. You never mentioned anything before."

"Yeah but I never had as much fun here," Drew complained as her twin sat next to her.

"Yeah, Mum," Jon chimed in. "All of your friends are here. All of your family. You heard Granddad yesterday when we visited him at the Quibbler. He kept talking about how great it was that we were there."

Josh nodded, although he didn't feel one way or the other about it. "How come Dad can't ask Uncle Fred or Uncle George about moving back here?" he asked.

"I suppose he could," Luna said. "But--"

Ron opened the door to the sitting room and took in the scene before him. Two of his daughters were in tears and Luna was standing before them with her arms crossed. "What's going on?"

"Drew's having a fit about not living here in London," Jon answered.

"You feel the same way!" Drew pointed out. "Don't you, Jon?"

"I'm not having a tantrum over it and kicking my sister's pet around," Jon shot back.

"Drew?" Ron asked walking over to his daughter. "Did you really do that?"

"Yes," Drew answered sullenly.

"But I thought we talked about this the other day," Ron said. "You said you understood."

"But I don't!" Drew said, starting to cry again. "I want to live here!"

Ron looked at Luna for help. "Do they all feel this way?"

"I don't know," she answered.

"I'd just like to live here with all my friends," Jon said. "And Allie."

"What about you, Josh?" Ron asked.

Josh shrugged. "It doesn't matter to me Dad."

"It doesn't matter to me either, Daddy," Darla said. "I'm happy either place."

"I like it where you are happy Daddy," Maddie said quietly, rubbing her tearstained cheeks.

"Well I like it here," Drew said, her arms crossed. "And none of you can change my mind!"

Ron sighed. "I'd ask R.J., but I don't reckon he would understand."

Maddie shook her head solemnly. "I bet he wouldn't." she got off the sofa and picked up Dolly's cage and hugged it.

"You're all acting as if we live on another planet," Ron said quietly. "We can visit anytime we want."

"It's not that easy Dad," Jon said. "I'm not trying to be difficult but you know it's not."

"I know," Ron said. He sat down beside Drew. "Sweetheart, I want you to be happy. You know that, right? I don't like seeing you upset. And you're not the type to go kicking things around and saying hurtful things to your little sister."

"I know," Drew said, trying to stifle her sobs. "I'm just going to miss everyone so much!"

Ron hugged her. "I know. I will, too."

Luna stroked Drew's red hair. "Sweetheart maybe we can work something out that we can come visit more often." she offered.

"It's not the same, Mum," Drew said.

"Well Drew we can't just move back." Ron said. "You know, when I was your age, my parents barely had enough money to support us. I always said when I got older and had kids I would do what I had to do to make sure they lived comfortably."

"But can't you manage one of the shops here?" Jon asked. "Don't get me wrong, Dad. I appreciate all that you and Mum have done for us and provided for us."

"I've tried," Ron said. "I really have. I'd love to move back here but right now it's just not possible."

"You really tried, Daddy?" Drew asked, looking hopefully at him. "Really?"

"I really did sweetheart," Ron kissed her cheek. "I want to make you all happy."

Drew hugged him. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"It's all right," Ron brushed her hair off her forehead and pressed his lips to her skin.

Luna looked at Jon expectantly, waiting for him to apologise to Ron as well.

Jon caught his mother's glance and grunted. "I'm sorry too Dad. I didn't mean to make a fuss about moving."

"It's okay," Ron said smiling at him. "I understand wanting to be with the girl you love, Jon. I would be helpless if I didn't have your mum."

Jon grinned back, realising that his father understood a lot better than he let on.

Luna mussed Jon's hair. "Perhaps we can talk Nev and Cho into letting her come stay with us for a few days."

"Really?" Jon brightened. "You think they will?"

"Couldn't hurt to ask," Luna said, putting an around him. "Especially if you promise to behave."

"Hey I behave," Jon said. "I'm not the one flinging water all over the kitchen."

"You're just the one sneaking off to snog everywhere," Josh retorted, glaring at Jon.

"At least we sneak off so everyone doesn't have to watch." Jon returned,

Luna laughed. "Boys...just when I thought you were getting along..."

"We're getting along fine," Jon said. "Especially now that Josh got himself a girlfriend. But don't let her see RJ mate. She may change her mind." he teased.

"I don't have a girlfriend!" Josh exclaimed. "I've gone out on one date and suddenly she's my girlfriend?"

"Two dates," Jon pointed out. "You are taking her to Jules' party."

"And you snogged her in the kitchen," Maddie said. "I heard it from Lizzy's mummy."

Josh blushed. "Are you listening in on people's conversations now, Mad Dog?"

Maddie shrugged, still clutching Dolly's cage.

"Maddie," Luna said. "Don't listen in on other people's conversations. It's not polite."

"Okay Mummy," Maddie was clearly losing interest in the conversation as she carried her pixie's cage over to the corner of the room.

Ron took Luna's hand and led her outside.

"What about you?" he asked softly. "You didn't say how you felt about this."

"I'm with you Ronald," Luna said. "You're all I really need. You and the kids."

Ron kissed her. "I would be completely helpless without you."

"I know you would," Luna laughed as she kissed him back.

"You know I expected this from Jon, but I really didn't realise Drew was so unhappy, Luna," Ron said quietly when they pulled apart. "I thought the other day when she and I talked about it, she did understand."

"I guess she really enjoys being here with her friends and family," Luna said. "She's never seemed unhappy before we came here."

"I know," Ron said. "We should probably try and visit more often. If there was anything I could do to get us back here, I would. You know that, right?"

"I know," Luna kissed him again. "And the kids know too Ron."

"Good," Ron said feeling much better.

'"Right," Luna said. "I love you."

"I love you," Ron said. "And where is my little boy? The only one who can't give me much grief yet?"

"He's asleep," Luna laughed. "Thankfully. If he saw Maddie start crying he'd start too."

Ron smiled. "Those two are thick as thieves."

"Getting there fast," Luna leaned against him. "Let's savour this peace and quiet for a moment shall we?"

Ron nodded and hugged her close.

*** *** ***

Chiaki led Allison and Frankie down the hall toward Julie's bedroom. They'd all decided it would be fun to get ready for the party together.

"Why do you think aunt Luna wanted to speak to Mum?" Allie asked. "I mean she sort of descended on her right when we walked in."

"Probably because she caught you and Jon doing something you weren't supposed to do," Frankie answered simply.

"Shut up Francesca," Allison retorted.

"It's probably nothing," Chiaki reassured Allison. She knocked on Julie's bedroom door. "Where's the birthday girl?"

Julie opened it immediately. "I'm here," she smiled.

"Happy Birthday!" Chiaki said giving her friend a hug.

"Happy Birthday, Jules!" Allison and Frankie chorused.

"Thanks you guys," Julie gave them each a hug. "Thanks for coming over. Maddie's been looking forward to getting dressed with 'the big girls' all morning."

Allison smiled at Maddie who was sitting on the edge of Julie's bed. "I heard your dress robes were really adorable, Maddie."

"I helped my Nana make them," Maddie nodded, her blonde curls bouncing on her shoulders. "They have flowers on them!"

"I'm sure they're very pretty," Allison said. She touched Maddie's curls. "You don't know how lucky you are to have such pretty hair. I wish my hair would curl like that."

"Thank you!" Maddie smiled at her and then reached up for a hug.

Chiaki grinned. "We could curl your hair like that, Al. If you wanted us too. And I think Jon would flip when he saw you."

"You could?" Allison asked. "Really?"

"Of course I could," Chiaki said motioning for Allison to come over to the dressing table. "I could also do your makeup if you want."

"I'll do my own makeup," Frankie replied.

"Okay," Chiaki said nonplussed.

"I can't wait to see what she comes up with," Allison whispered to Chiaki.

"Come on Drew," Julie said. "I'll help you if you want."

"I want to do Darla's makeup," Drew said. "And she's going to do mine."

"Will you put some on me?" Maddie asked. "Please Julie?"

"Sure," Julie grinned picking up Maddie. "But I don't see how we could make you any cuter than you already are."

"You can make me pretty like you!" Maddie appealed.

Julie beamed at her. "Come on, Maddie."

Lizzy poked her head inside. "I'm sorry to interrupt. Would you lot mind if I hung out with you?"

"No way," Allison said. "Get in here Lizzy! I want to give you the third degree about you and Josh."

Lizzy blushed. "There's nothing to tell."

"Please," Allison said as Chiaki began to mess with her hair. "I know you two got caught snogging in the kitchen."

"By your mum," Frankie chimed in.

Lizzy groaned. "Don't remind me."

All the girls laughed, even Maddie. "So Jules are you looking forward to this disgustingly large party?" Chiaki asked. "I know you are, especially with all the gifts you're getting."

Julie laughed. "The presents are nice, but I'm really glad that all my friends and family are going to be here."

"Even..." Chiaki's voice trailed off. Even though she had decided to give Nick the benefit of the doubt after talking to Toshio, she didn’t know yet what Julie’s stance on the matter was.

"He said he was coming, but it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't," Julie said. "I'm going to have a good time today. There's not going to be any more moping and feeling sorry for myself."

Allison smiled at Julie. "I'm glad to hear that," she said.

"Me too," Julie said. There was a knock on the door and Darla got up to answer it. It was Hermione.

"Julie?" Hermione said smiling at her daughter. "I have something for you."

"What's that Mum," Julie set down the brush she'd been using for Maddie's cheeks and got up.

Hermione held out a small, neatly wrapped box. Julie grinned as she took the box from her mother and unwrapped it. Inside was a beautiful silver locket much like the one Harry had given to Hermione.

"I thought it would look nice with your robes," Hermione said softly.

"Mum," Julie's eyes filled with tears. "It's... it's beautiful."

"I'm so glad you like it," Hermione said, giving her a hug. "Happy Birthday, Julie."

"Thank you so much," Julie hugged her mother tightly.

"Thank you, Julie," Hermione whispered. "My sweet, beautiful girl."

"You're the best," Julie said, smiling at her. "You and Dad have already given me so much today.” Her parents had presented her with a solid gold watch earlier that day at breakfast.

Hermione smiled. "I won't keep you girls any longer. Have fun getting ready."

"We'll be down in a little while," Julie promised.

When the girls were alone again, they all crowded around Julie to see the locket.

"That's beautiful, Jules," Chiaki said admiringly.

"I can't wait to wear it tonight," Julie said. "I wonder... do you think it does what my Mum's locket does? Where it shows the person I'm thinking of?"

"One way to find out," Allison said. "Open it."

Julie pulled it carefully from the box and pried it open.

"I knew it," Chiaki said as a picture showed up inside. "I knew you were thinking about him." she grinned at her friend.

Julie's cheeks reddened. "I almost wish he wouldn't show up, Chi. I'm scared...to let him back in."

"Don't be," Chiaki reassured her.

"Easier said than done," Julie said. She closed the locket and set it on the dressing table. "Anyway, let's get ready."

"Right," Chiaki and Allison returned to the table and Julie started doing Maddie's makeup again.

"Francesca," Chiaki said a few minutes later. "You are NOT wearing that red lipstick!"

"Why not?" Frankie asked. "It's pretty!"

"It clashes," Maddie said looking over Julie's shoulder.

"Besides that it's tacky," Allison answered. "And it would only be cute if you were Maddie's age."

"Fine," Frankie said grabbing a tissue and wiping off the lipstick. "How about I just wear gloss instead?"

"That's fine," Chiaki said. "You know Mum and Dad would never let you wear that colour anyway."

"Probably not," Frankie admitted.

Allison looked at Lizzy who was brushing her hair. "Lizzy, you should wear your hair down today. Look at how wavy it is."

"I guess," Lizzy said. "It's just so unruly sometimes."

"I know what you mean," Julie said sympathetically. "Mine drives me crazy."

"I'll help you with it as soon as I'm done with Allison's," Chiaki offered.

"Thanks, Chiaki," Lizzy said gratefully.

"I know something you don't know," Maddie said turning her head to look at Allison.

"What?" Allison asked.

"If I tell you it might spoil the surprise and your mummy might say no," Maddie said grinning at her.

"What?" Allison nearly bounced in the chair. "Madeline Weasley!"

"My mummy is asking if you can come and stay with us for a few days in Ireland," Maddie replied.

"WHAT?" Allison shrieked.

"Maddie!" Darla exclaimed. "You weren't supposed to say anything in case Allie's mum says no!"

"She won't say no," Chiaki replied. "It's Dad they'll have to convince."

"You don't think he'd say no, do you?" Allison asked. "Merlin, Chiaki! He's never going to say yes!"

"If Mum works things the right way she'll convince him to let you go," Chiaki said confidently. She grinned. "You're going to visit Jon in Ireland," she said in a sing song voice.

"I hope so," Allison said with a shy grin. "I hope mum can work her powers of persuasion."

Julie smiled at her. "I hope you get to go Allie. Jon really likes you a lot."

"No, he doesn't," Maddie said shaking her head.

"Maddie!" Drew exclaimed.

"He loves her, Drew!" Maddie answered giggling.

"Awwww!" Julie and Chiaki both cooed at once.

Allison blushed. "You guys..."

"That's so sweet," Chiaki said. "You and Jon are in love!"

"We are," Allison admitted with a bright smile.

"How's this?" Frankie asked, turning around so everyone could see.

"Frankie! No one wears orange lipstick!" Chiaki said trying not to laugh. "Why don't you just let me do your makeup?"

"I can do it!" Frankie insisted.

"Fine," Chiaki rolled her eyes. "There Allie. How do you like your hair?"

Allison gasped as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Chiaki had styled her hair in wavy curls.

"Is that really me?" Allison asked.

"Yes," Chiaki laughed. "You look gorgeous."

Allison smiled. "Thank you, Chiaki. I certainly couldn't have done this myself."

"Anytime," Chiaki grinned at her sister. "Now go let Julie do your makeup once she's finished with Maddie. Lizzy, let's see what I can do for you."

"Good luck with my bird's nest," Lizzy said as she took Allison's empty seat at the dressing table.

"You have nice hair," Chiaki waved off Lizzy's words.

"All right Miss Madeline," Julie said. "You are finished and drop dead gorgeous!"

"Thanks, Julie," Maddie said giving her a hug. "Happy Birthday!"

"You're welcome," Julie said, hugging her back. "Thank you- now go get your robes on and show us how pretty they are!"

"Okay," Maddie said. "I think they're in Mummy and Daddy's room. I'll be right back!"

"How cute is she?" Chiaki asked.

"Too cute," Julie said as Allison sat down in front of her. "What colour are your robes Allie?"

"Periwinkle," Allison replied. "It's my favourite colour."

"That's the same colour as the robes my mum is wearing today," Julie said, selecting some blush. "They're the first set of robes my aunt designed for her back on her birthday a long time ago." She began to stroke the brush across Allison's cheeks. "She made me some for today. They're a really light pink."

"I'm sure you're going to look beautiful as always," Allison said. She groaned as she saw Frankie putting on purple eye shadow.

"She's not going to get it is she?" Julie giggled quietly. "Drew and Darla are doing a better job than she is."

"I wish she'd let one of us help," Allison whispered back.

"Sooner or later she'll give up," Julie said softly. "But she'll never let Chiaki do it now."

"Maybe she'll let me," Allison said thoughtfully. "Frankie gets on my nerves sometimes, but she can be really sweet when she wants to be."

"When she wants to be," Julie laughed. "Close your eyes."

Allison did as she was told and Drew stepped forward to watch. She wanted to do Darla's makeup as well as Julie was doing Allie's. Julie smiled at the younger girl.

"Hey, Miss Drew," Julie said grinning at her. "Are you feeling better? Josh said you were really sad about not being able to stay here."

Drew nodded. "I'm okay. Daddy said we could come visit more often."

"I'm all for that," Julie said. "I've really enjoyed having you guys here. It's helped me out more than you know."

"We're glad Jules," Allison said.

"Me too," Julie said getting back to work on Allison's makeup.

Maddie came back inside the room and she was now wearing her dress robes. She spun around for everyone to see. "I made Daddy close his eyes. 'Cause I don't want him to see me yet."

"Awwww!" Chiaki and Julie chorused again. "Maddie you look beautiful!"

"Thank you," Maddie beamed at them.

"What did Mum say about your makeup?" Drew asked.

"She said I looked very pretty," Maddie said happily. "But she's not going to let me take Dolly to the party. She was afraid she'd get loose."

"She'd probably tear everything down," Darla said. "Drew come on, do my makeup!"

"Okay, okay," Drew said. "Let's make you beyooootiful."

Chiaki was still fussing with Lizzy's hair. "There," she said. "How's that?"

"Wow," Lizzy said in awe. "That's...that's amazing. You are a miracle worker."

"Thank you," Chiaki grinned. "You learn a few things backstage." She'd pulled Lizzy's hair back on the sides and let it fall down her back.

"Wait until Josh sees you," Allison said grinning at her friend. "I bet he doesn't recognise you."

Lizzy turned red. "He will," she replied. "I don't look that different. I only put my contacts in that's all."

"I like you in your glasses," Maddie said smiling at her. "You look nice either way."

"Thank you Maddie," Lizzy said. "I'm going to go get into my new robes."

Julie finished up with Allison's makeup and Allison gave her a hug. She walked over to Frankie and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Frankie," Allison said tentatively. "Let me help you."

"I can do it!" Frankie insisted stubbornly.

"I know you can," Allison said quickly. "But I just wanted to help you. Remember like we used to when we were younger? Come on, Frankie. It'll be fun."

Frankie looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. "Okay Allie."

"Yay!" Allison said clapping her hands together. She led Frankie to the corner of the room.

Drew and Darla finished each other's makeup and they both went off to change into their robes. Maddie decided to go and check on Dolly before the party.

Chiaki saw that Julie was sitting in front of the mirror with a far-away look on her face. "Jules?"

"Yeah?" Julie asked.

"How you doing?" Chiaki asked. "Nervous?"

"Not really," Julie shook her head as she fastened her new locket over her neck. "Do you think he'll really come Chiaki? I know he and I talked the other day but--"

"I think he'll be here," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "He's come all this way, hasn't he? I don't see him backing down now."

"He talked to you didn't he?" Julie disappeared into her closet to change into her new robes.

"Yes," Chiaki admitted. "I wanted to shut the door in his face, but I wanted to hear what he had to say."

"What did you think?" Julie asked softly, still in the closet.

"I'm still not sure," Chiaki said truthfully. "But...but I want to believe him, Jules."

"I do too," Julie emerged with her new robes on. "I can't stop thinking about him Chi."

"He said the same thing about you," Chiaki said softly. She looked at her friend. "You look amazing."

"Thanks," Julie began fiddling with her hair. "I love him but I'm scared of getting hurt again."

"I know," Chiaki said softly.

"What should I do?" Julie asked.

"I wish I could tell you," Chiaki replied. "This is one you have to figure out on your own. I'd like to think that he's not so stupid that he'd try to pull something over on all of again. There'd be a queue around the block to hex him."

That made Julie smile. "You're right," she said. "I guess I don't think he would try and fool me again. He wouldn't have come back, would he, if he was trying to trick me?"

"I don't think so," Chiaki said.

Julie nodded. "Well?" she asked. "The finished product." she struck a pose and laughed.

"Gorgeous!" Chiaki said dramatically. "Simply mah-velous!"

"You look gorgeous too," Julie said. "But then again you always do."

"Please," Chiaki said rolling her eyes.

"Shall we?" Julie asked. "I'm sure everyone will be arriving soon."

"After you, Birthday Girl," Chiaki said, putting an around her.

"Thanks Chi," Julie said. "When's Toshio getting here?"

"Soon, I expect."

"Good," Julie said as they descended the stairs. Harry was in the hallway, making sure some last minute decorations were in place.

He looked up and grinned. "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

"Thanks Dad," Julie said. "You look handsome too."

Harry laughed. "Well, I had to clean up nice on my daughter's big day."

"Where's Ethan?" Chiaki asked. "Last time I saw him he was complaining about wearing robes."

"He's around here somewhere," Harry said. "Probably in the sitting room."

"Thanks for my locket," Julie said kissing her father on the cheek. "I love it, Dad."

"You're welcome love." Harry said. "It works just like your Mum's. She wanted to get it for you because she knows how much you like hers."

"I love hers," Julie said grinning at him. "Thank you both so much for this, the watch, the party..."

"You're the best Jules," Harry said. "We want you to be happy."

Julie smiled and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

Chiaki put her hands on her hips. "Thanks, Uncle Harry! Now she's going to ruin her makeup!'

"No I'm okay," Julie carefully wiped her eyes.

"Absolutely not!" Neville was saying adamantly as he and Cho walked down the stairs. "She's not going!"

"Neville she's a big girl," Cho argued. "And you said you trusted Jon. I trust him and besides that Ron and Luna are our best friends."

"I thought Hermione and I were your best friends," Harry teased.

"You are," Cho said. "We can have more than one best friend."

"Harry," Neville said. "Back me up on this one. Would you let your 15-year old daughter go and stay with her much older boyfriend?"

"He's barely a year older than she is," Cho said shaking her head.

"Neville," Harry said. "You can let her go. Sooner or later she's going to be moving out of your house and then what will you do? This is just practise mate."

"She's 15," Neville said scowling at Harry. "She's not going to be moving out any time soon."

Cho sighed impatiently. "Your overprotective is sweet Neville but it's getting annoying. Allie's a good girl, and smart. And Jon is a perfectly respectable, nice young man."

Jon and Josh picked that moment to come downstairs as well and Jon froze when he saw the look on Neville's face.

"He looks like he wants to kill me," Jon whispered to his brother.

"Just play it cool," Josh replied out of the corner of his mouth.

"Hello boys," Cho said smiling at them. "Don't you look handsome!"

"Thank you," Josh said and Jon mumbled something. "Has um... has anyone seen Lizzy?"

"She and Allie should be down soon," Chiaki said. "Allie was helping Frankie with her makeup and last I saw Lizzy she was going to put on her robes."

"Okay," Josh said.

Ethan came into the room, grumbling about something. He put a hand up when Julie moved to pinch his cheeks.

"Don't even think about it!" he said folding his arms. "Dad, these robes are making my neck itch!"

"You look handsome Ethan," Harry said. "They'll be fine after an hour or so."

"You're lying," Ethan said grumpily.

"He is not," Hermione said. "You look very nice Ethan. And if you touch those robes I'm going to put a spell on them so that you won't be able to take them off at all."

"Mum!" Julie exclaimed turning around to get a look at her mother. "You look brilliant!"

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione said. "You look gorgeous yourself."

Upstairs, Ron and Luna were waiting outside their bedroom door for Maddie, Drew and Darla.

"The party will be over before Drew and Darla get ready," Ron said. He could smell the food and he was nearly salivating.

"Ron be patient," Luna said. "There's plenty of food even for you."

"Are you ready?" Drew called out from behind the door. "Close your eyes, Mum and Dad!"

"Okay," Ron and Luna both said obediently.

Drew slowly opened the door and she and her two sisters tiptoed out of the room. They stood in front of their parents with their arms linked.

"Open your eyes!" the three girls chorused.

"How do I look Daddy?" Maddie asked brightly as her parents stared at the three of them.

Ron grinned at her. "You're going to be the three prettiest girls at the party."

"We are," Maddie nodded decisively. She touched the pretty silk flowers her Nana had sewed onto her robes. "I can't wait for everyone else to see us too!"

Ron picked Maddie up and swung her around. "And look at you in makeup, Maddie!"

"Julie only put a little bit on," Maddie explained. "And then Drew and Darla did their own!"

Luna grinned at her twin girls. "You did a good job, girls."

"Thanks Mum," the twin girls grinned at each other.

"Nice to see you smiling again, Drew," Ron said.

"I'm feeling better Dad," Drew replied.

"My girls, are you ready to go downstairs?" Ron asked.

"I'm ready to eat, Daddy!" Maddie said putting her arms around his neck.

"So am I sweetheart," Ron said. "And I can't wait for everyone to see what beautiful daughters I have."

Luna smiled adoringly at her husband. She wondered if he even knew what a great father he was.

Downstairs, Julie had just gone into the large room where the party was taking place. It was times like this when she was glad that her family lived in such a large house. The ballroom had an attached balcony, and the French doors were wide open, allowing the breeze to blow through.

"There she is!" Robert said chuckling as his granddaughter came into view. "Happy Birthday!"

"Grandpa," Julie beamed at the sight of her grandparents. "I missed you both!" she hugged them tightly.

"I can't believe you're 20 years old," Elinore said starting to tear up.

Julie smiled. "Not until about half past seven tonight."

"I stand corrected," Elinore said wiping a tear from her cheek. "And your mother tells me congratulations are in order on your new job!"

"Just got word the other day," Julie replied. "I start in September."

“And may I say, your robes look absolutely fabulous on you,” Lavender joined her aunt, uncle and Julie. She smiled and hugged the younger girl. “Happy birthday.”

"Thanks, Aunt Lav," Julie said hugging her back. "And not just for the robes..."

"I'm going to miss you so much when I move," Lavender said, tearing up as she hugged Julie tighter.

"We'll owl each other all the time and visit," Julie promised. "I've never been to Los Angeles."

"Well once I know my way around, you'll come visit and we'll go shopping," Lavender promised.

"You'll have that place mapped out in a day," Julie joked.

"Aye," Lavender nodded as she spotted Seamus across the room and waved him over. "I was just telling the birthday girl that she'd have to come visit us in LA."

"Definitely," Seamus said pecking Julie on the cheek. "We'll even bring you by the studio."

"Really?" Julie asked excitedly. "So I can see you work?"

"He's sort of..." Lavender said, searching for the best word to describe Seamus when he was on the set. "He's more like...well he's..."

"According to her, I'm a tyrant," Seamus smiled at his fiancée. "But I get things done. I'm one of the top paid directors in the business."

"I wouldn't say you were a tyrant," Lavender said quickly.

"You have before," Seamus teased.

Lavender looked helplessly around. "Where's that birthday cake?"

Julie laughed. "Right Aunt Lav. I've got to get myself settled into my new job before I can come out to visit."

"Which will leave you plenty of time for this," Robert said pulling an envelope out. "I know it's not time for presents yet, but your grandmother and I wanted to give you this..."

Julie took it and carefully opened it. "You gave me this much?" she cried in shock, looking at the cheque.

"We'd give you more if we could," Robert said smiling at her. "I know you've been talking about getting your own place. I hope this will help..."

"It will," Julie hugged them again. "Thank you both so much!"

Chiaki came over to Julie and tapped her on the shoulder. She smiled apologetically at the Grangers. "Do you mind if I steal Julie away for a moment?"

"We'll see you later sweetheart," Elinore said.

When she and Julie were alone, Chiaki squeezed her friend's hand. "He's here, Jules."

29. Again

A/N: Thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed. We're coming to a close. One more chapter after this one! We even managed to respond to some reviews this go around. Sometimes real life gets in the way of being able to do that. Thanks for being understanding!

Also, check out the new fanart drawn for us by Alexa here – as always please let us know what you think so we can pass it on to her and to Tanya for writing the song!

Again - Janet Jackson

A wounded heart you gave,
My soul you took away
Good intentions you had many,
I know you did
I come from a place that hurts,
God knows how I've cried
And I never want to return
Never fall again
Making love to you felt so good and
Oh so right

Hold me, hold me
Don't ever let me go
Say it just one time
Say you love me
God knows I do love you again

"He is?" Julie asked squeakily and cleared her throat. "He is?"

Chiaki nodded. "Just arrived a few moments ago with Arthur and Molly and another woman who I'm thinking is his old nanny, but I'm not sure."

"Oh," Julie said, taking a deep breath.

"Want me to come with?" Chiaki offered.

"I don't know if I want to go over there or not." she said shakily.

"That's okay," Chiaki said gently. "How about you and I go and get something to drink instead. Let him come to you."

"Okay," Julie said in relief. "I could use something to drink. It's really warm in here."

Chiaki led her friend over to the bar. It took longer than it should have because as they made their way over various people stopped them to wish Julie a happy birthday.

Julie thanked everyone who was there, most of them were people she didn't know yet. She avoided looking in Nick's direction as they made their way across the room.

"Chiaki?" Jon asked coming up to them with Josh in tow. "Where on earth are Allie and Lizzy?"

"I don't know," Chiaki said. "They were getting ready in Lizzy's room earlier, maybe they're still in there with Frankie."

Julie scanned the room glad for something to keep her mind off of Nick if only for a moment. She spotted Allison and Lizzy walking out onto the balcony.

"There they are," Julie said motioning in that direction.

"Finally," Jon immediately turned that way and strode off, Josh following him.

"It's really a great day for a party, don't you think?" Allison asked Lizzy as they both looked out onto the grounds.

"Yes it is," Lizzy replied. "Sometimes I still can't believe how huge this place is you know?"

"I know," Allison said. "I must have gotten lost in this house over a hundred times before I found my way."

Lizzy laughed. "You have no sense of direction Allie. You get lost at Hogwarts all the time!"

"I've gotten lost maybe three, four or maybe five times," Allison scoffed. "That hardly constitutes 'all the time'."

"Okay," Lizzy was still laughing at her.

"Where are they?" Josh asked as he and Jon stepped on the balcony.

"Over there," Jon squinted a moment. "Whoa is that Al?"

Josh followed his brother's gaze and nodded. "That's Allie, but where's...."

Jon barely heard his brother as he practically ran across the balcony. "Allie!" he grinned. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"

Allison grinned and looped her arms around his neck. "Look at how handsome you look! I just might swoon right here."

"You look gorgeous," he said. "I love your hair."

"You do?" Allison asked softly. "Chiaki did it."

"You're stunning," Jon gave her a kiss.

"I almost didn't recognise you," Josh said, his eyes wide as he looked at Lizzy.

"I'm wearing my contacts," she said shyly. "I don't usually wear them, but I thought it'd be nice for the party. Allie's sister helped me with my hair."

"You look fantastic," Josh said. "You really do. Not that you don't, otherwise... but you look really nice today."

"Thanks," Lizzy said taking his hand. "You look really nice, too."

"Thanks," Josh said nervously. He rolled his eyes at Jon and Allison, who were snogging as if no one else was out there.

"We could be doing that, too," Lizzy said cheekily. "If you wanted. I wouldn't mind, but its up to you, Joshie."

"You're bold," Josh said, moving closer to her. "I like that."

"I like you," Lizzy said smiling at him. "Very much."

"I like you too," Josh said. "A lot."

"Good," Lizzy said leaning in and kissing him.

Josh returned it, wrapping his arms around her. "Want to go get something to drink?" he asked a few minutes later when they pulled apart.

"It's a little hot out here," Lizzy agreed. She turned to say something to Allison, but she was staring dreamily at Jon. She and Josh walked back inside leaving Allison and Jon alone on the balcony.

"I have good news for you," Allison said softly.

"What's that?" Jon asked, nipping at her lower lip.

"My dad wasn't all that happy about it, but he did agree to let me come and stay with your family for a few days," Allison replied. "Do you think you could stand being with me again so soon?"

"That's great Al!" Jon whirled her around. "When are you coming?"

"First week in August," Allison said laughing. "It's going to be so much fun!"

"And then a few weeks later we go back to school." Jon leaned in and kissed her hungrily. "I love you Al."

"I love you," she whispered. "We, um, better get back inside. We have to be on good behaviour, Jonathan."

"Only until you come to Ireland," Jon said wickedly.

"Think we can make it until then?" Allison asked.

"We'll have to," Jon squeezed her hand. "But maybe later we can sneak off for a little while."

"Very discreetly of course," Allison teased as they walked back inside.

"You read my mind," Jon said happily.

"Jonathan Arthur Weasley!" Molly shrieked. "I was wondering where you ran off too. Hello, Allison! Don't you look pretty!"

Allison and Jon froze as they turned and saw Molly, Arthur, Nick and an unfamiliar woman looking at them.

"Hi Nana," Jon said, clearly embarrassed.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," Allison said blushing.

Molly crushed her grandson and his girlfriend in a large hug. "How are you love?"

"Unable to breathe?" Jon choked out.

"Sorry," Molly said sheepishly, letting them go.

"You did a really fabulous job on Maddie's robes," Allison said politely. "She's looks really adorable."

"Doesn't she?" Molly asked delightedly as Jon greeted his grandfather. "She had to have those flowers. And I couldn't bring myself to say no to her."

"No one can," Allison said. She looked at Nick. "It's nice to see you again, Nick."

"Hi Allison," Nick said. "You look really nice tonight."

Allison blushed. "Thanks."

"Trying to steal my girlfriend, cousin?" Jon asked with a grin.

"I don't think I could tempt her away," Nick joked. "She seems pretty stoked on you."

"Just a little," Allison teased, as Jon put an arm around her. "So have you seen Julie yet?"

"Just from across the room," Nick said, fidgeting a bit.

"Have you seen my mum and dad?" Jon asked. "I'm sure they'll be really happy to see that you made it."

"Yeah," Nick nodded. "Your dad's been especially great throughout all this."

Jon smiled. "We're really glad to have you back, Nick."

"Too right," Molly agreed heartily.

"Thank you," Nick said sincerely. "Oh- Jon, Allison this is Greta."

Allison smiled warmly at the woman and offered her hand. "It's really nice to meet you. Nick told us all about you at Hillsdale."

"Thank you," Greta shook the younger girl's hand. "It's lovely to meet you both as well."

"Nick said that you could give Nana a run for her money in the kitchen," Jon teased, shaking her hand.

"Yeah Uncle Ron wants you both to have a bake off," Nick laughed.

"I wonder why," Jon joked.

"NANA!" Maddie came striding across the room, throwing her arms up at her grandmother.

"Hello sweetheart!" Molly scooped her granddaughter up and hugged her tightly. "Oh you look so beautiful in your new robes!"

"I told everyone that you made 'em!" Maddie said proudly. She saw Nick for the first time and squealed. "I knew you'd be here!"

"Hello Maddie," Nick laughed as she launched herself at him. "I missed you."

"I missed you," she said hugging him. "You're going to stay forever and forever, right?"

"I sure hope so," Nick said, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Where's this pixie I've been hearing so much about?" Arthur asked pinching Maddie's nose. "I heard she's done some damage."

"Dolly is a GOOD pixie," Maddie informed her grandfather.

Jon covered his mouth not to laugh. Allison elbowed him in the ribs, but she was trying hard not to giggle.

"She is Jon," Maddie said, glaring as fiercely as she could at her brother.

"Of course she is, Mad Dog," Jon said smiling at Maddie.

"Well... maybe we should go in," Nick said, shifting nervously. "I do want to try and talk to Julie before..."

"Let's go," Maddie said enthusiastically. "And you're going to dance with me!"

"I wouldn't miss it," Nick smiled.

As they walked back inside, Allison squeezed Jon's hand. "I know how he feels. I remember how scared I was back at Hillsdale when you walked me back to my cabin. I thought you were never going to speak to me again."

Jon smiled at her. "I was an idiot for not listening to you in the first place Al."

Allison smiled. "I'm glad that you finally did."

Julie was making her way from group to group of people, greeting and talking to as many guests as she could. She didn't normally drink but she'd taken a glass of champagne from the bar and was sipping it slowly.

"Julie!" Molly called out to her. "Happy Birthday!"

"Hi Molly," Julie greeted her. "I'm so glad you came." she hugged the older woman.

"Hello, Jules," Nick said quietly stepping forward. "Happy Birthday."

Julie pressed her lips together a moment. "Hello Nick," she said. "Thank you. I'm um... I'm glad you came." she managed a small smile.

She looked beautiful and all Nick wanted to do was scoop her up in his arms and snog her until they both couldn't breathe. "I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

She felt her lips curve up more and her stomach lurched but it wasn't unpleasant. "That's good," she whispered.

"I wanted you to meet Greta," Nick said as Greta came forward.

Greta smiled at Julie. "I've heard so much about you that I feel as if I know you already."

"Hello," Julie shook her hand. "Nick's told us all a lot about you as well. I'm glad to finally meet you."

"Thank you so much for inviting us today," Greta said with a smile. "Your parents have a lovely home."

"Thank you," Julie said. "It's a bit big at times, but we've been here awhile now."

Greta laughed. "I imagine your little brother has fun running around..."

"Oh he does, but he likes flying with my dad most of all." Julie said. "Wait- Ethan!" she called. "Come here!"

Ethan ran over to his sister. "Can I please take these robes off? They're really making my neck itch!"

Julie laughed. "Why don't you just unbutton that top one?" she suggested.

"Let me try something," Greta said kneeling down. She rearranged Ethan's collar so it wasn't touching his neck. "How's that?"

"Hey that helps a lot!" Ethan said. "Who are you?"

Greta laughed. "I'm Greta."

"Nick's Greta?" Ethan asked.

"That's right," Greta replied, looking over at Nick who was staring at Julie as if mesmerized.

"It's nice to meet you," Ethan said grinning at her. "You are a life saver!"

Julie laughed. "Your robes aren't a life threatening issue Ethan," she teased.

"They are when they make your neck itch!" Ethan said defensively. He turned his attention back to Molly. "Did you make those chocolate biscuits? They were really good?"

Molly shook her head. "No, Greta made those."

"Those were really good," Ethan said. "Uncle Ron is eating almost all of them."

Everyone laughed and Julie looked at Nick. "She's as great as you said she was."

Nick nodded. "That's why I had to do what I did." he said, looking at her hopefully.

"I know," Julie said looking into his eyes. She so wanted to believe him.

Nick took her hand. "So um..." he said, pulling her away from everyone a little. "You're being nice today... does that mean you forgive me?"

"I--I want to," Julie said softly. "But I'm scared."

"Is there anything else I can do to make you believe me?" Nick thought about the song he'd written for her. He had it memorized and would wait for a good moment to sing it to her.

"I don't know," Julie said. "I need time."

"Okay," Nick said. "I'll give you all the time you need. I'm not going anywhere."

She smiled up at him and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Nick said, feeling even lighter. "And you look gorgeous today Julie. You really do."

"This old thing," Julie said with a laugh.

"You look great in pink," Nick said.

"Thanks," she said and she noticed that she was still holding his hand. Everyone and everything seemed to disappear. "Nick..."

"What?" he asked softly.

"I---I need to go," she said quickly, pulling away from him. "I'm sorry..."

He nodded. "Will I see you later then?" he asked.

"Yes," Julie said nodding at him, before disappearing into the crowd.

Chiaki was standing with Toshio when Julie pulled her aside. "Are you okay?" she asked, looking at her friend's flushed cheeks.

Julie shook her head. "I don't know, Chi. We were talking and it was like it was before and I just...I got scared."

"Jules... what is your heart telling you to do? I know that sounds corny, but what do you feel right now?" Chiaki asked.

"It's telling me to trust him," Julie replied. "But my brain is telling me he's only going to hurt me again, Chiaki."

"Jules, if my opinion is worth anything here, I don't think he's lying, and don't think he'd purposefully hurt you again, ever." Chiaki said softly. "But you have to do what's right for you."

"How do I know what that is?" Julie asked. She looked out onto the dance floor and saw her parents dancing together seemingly oblivious to everyone around them. "I want what they have."

"Well... then you'll have to open up a bit," Chiaki replied. "They were hurt a few times I'm sure."

"I know," Julie said. "Of course they did, it's just I haven't had the best track record lately. First there was Ryan and then what happened with Nick. I keep getting clobbered and I don't want to go through that again, Chiaki."

Chiaki hugged her friend. "I don't think you will Jules. But that's just me. I'll be here if you want to talk one way or the other."

"I know you will," Julie said gratefully.

On the dance floor, Hermione laughed as Harry spun her around. "Go easy on me, Harry. I am carrying your child."

"That's right," Harry said, pulling her close again. "But in a few months I wont' be able to get this close to you anymore," he added impishly.

Hermione purposely stepped on his feet. "You're so lucky that I love you so much."

Harry gave her a kiss. "You can stumble over me anytime," he said, his eyes twinkling.

Hermione smiled and rested her head on his chest. She saw Ethan talking to an older woman by the dessert table. "Who's that?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "Let's go find out shall we?"

"Okay," Hermione said following him over to Ethan.

"Mum," Ethan said handing her a chocolate biscuit. "You have to try one of these!"

Harry smiled at his son. "Who are you keeping company with little man?"

"Thesh esh Nick's Grevah," Ethan said with his mouth full.

"What?" Harry laughed.

Ethan swallowed. "Sorry. This is Nick's Greta, Dad. She's really cool."

"I see," Harry said. "Well Greta it's nice to meet you. We heard a lot about you back at Hillsdale."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Potter," Greta said shaking his hand. "And you too, Minister. You have a really nice home. Ethan showed me your kitchen, too. It's amazing."

"Thank you," Hermione said, swallowing the biscuit. "That was very good Ethan. Did Molly make those?"

"No, Greta did!" Ethan answered happily.

"You must be a very good cook," Hermione complimented. "I wish I could say the same."

"So do we," Ethan deadpanned.

Harry was laughing too hard at his son's remark to have a comeback ready.

"Ethan!" Hermione said. "I'm not that bad!"

Greta laughed. "Now I'm sure your mother isn't a bad cook."

"I'm not that great at it," Hermione admitted. "I can make a really mean lasagne, but that's about it. If it weren't for Harry, we'd probably go hungry."

"So Greta," Harry said conversationally. "You and Ethan seem to be getting along quite well."

"He's a good kid," Greta said smiling down at Ethan. "You and your wife should be very proud."

"Will you excuse us a moment?" Harry asked, pulling his wife aside.

"You should really try one of these biscuits," Hermione said popping another one into her mouth.

"I will," Harry replied. "What do you think we ask her for an interview for the nanny position?"

Hermione smiled. "She and Ethan already seem to be getting along, don't they?"

"Yes," Harry nodded. "But I didn't just want to assume for you."

"You'd certainly not have to worry about feeding all of us anymore," Hermione said.

Harry laughed. "So I'll ask her to come back next week once everything's settled down again?"

"Sounds like a plan," Hermione agreed. She and Harry were making their way back over to Ethan and Greta when Maddie and Luna came over to join them.

Before Ethan knew what she was doing, Maddie had linked arms with him.

"What are you doing?" Ethan asked her.

"Everyone else has a date tonight," Maddie tossed her curls like she'd seen other girls like Frankie do. "So you get to be my date tonight Ethan!"

Ethan looked at her as if she'd gone mad. "No way, Maddie!"

"Yes Ethan," Maddie said, giving him her extra special grin.

"Mum!" Ethan cried looking to Hermione for help, but she was gazing adoringly at the two children. "Dad!"

"Ethan be nice," Harry was chuckling.

"But I don't want to have a date," Ethan said trying to pull away from Maddie, but she was holding on tightly to his arm as if she never planned to let go.

"Ethan," Harry said, leaning down. "We'll go broom shopping if you'll be nice to Maddie tonight."

"That's an awful lot to ask for just a broom, Dad," Ethan said with clenched teeth. "It had better be a really good broom, Dad!"

"Ethan," Harry gave him a look. "This is Maddie here. You be nice and dance with her."

"Okay," Ethan said grumpily. "But I'm not kissing her. You got that, Madeline?"

"Maybe at the stroke of midnight you will," Maddie said. “Besides Ethan, I’m going to marry you someday!”

Ethan looked horrified as Maddie led him onto the dance floor.

"That is so sweet," Hermione clutched Luna's arm. "Our two kids!"

"Don't you two start planning their wedding just yet," Harry teased.

"Harry it's just so adorable," Luna said dreamily.

"Aye that is," Greta agreed.

"I guess that goes to show that no one really can say no to Maddie," Harry said laughing as he saw Maddie trying to convince Ethan to turn her around.

Luna shook her head. "Why do you think we now own a demented Cornish pixie?" she asked.

Hermione laughed and looked out to where Drew and Darla were dancing with Chiaki and Toshio. "It's nice to see Drew having a good time, too."

Harry moved off to talk to Greta and Luna stepped closer to Hermione. "We're going to try and come back to visit more often," she said.

"I like the sound of that," Hermione said. "And I've promised Harry that we will come and visit you as well."

"We finally got Neville to agree to let Allison come out and visit the first week of August," Luna said. "I think it took all Cho's powers of persuasion."

"Allie and Jon are responsible," Hermione said. "Neville's just a little hesitant to admit she's growing up."

"That's exactly it," Luna agreed. "Ron will be the same way when Drew, Darla and Maddie are ready to date." she laughed. "Well, unless he finds out about her and Ethan tonight."

Hermione chuckled. "She's so much like you, Luna."

"You think?" Luna asked with a smile.

"Absolutely," Hermione said.

A few hours into the party, Nick found himself searching in vain for Julie. He was growing restless and wanted to see if his song would help her realise that they belonged together. He had talked to Harry about his plan not long after he had seen Julie and Harry had agreed to help him out.

Harry stood in the middle of the ballroom and everyone crowded around to hear what he had to say.

"Hermione and I wanted to thank you all for being here today to help us celebrate our daughter Julie's 20th birthday. We're so proud of what a wonderful young woman she's grown up to be and we hope that she knows that her mum, Ethan and I love her more than she could ever know."

As everyone applauded, Harry grinned at Julie. "And a special guest has something he'd like to say, too."

Nick gulped as he made his way towards the stage that was set up in front of the large room. Harry met him at the bottom of the stairs. "Thank you," Nick said sincerely.

"You're welcome," Harry said smiling encouragingly at him. "The rest is up to you, Nick."

He nodded nervously. He had never been so nervous singing in front of a crowd before, but that's when he was with his band, and he had not been in love with anyone watching. "Hi everyone," he began, his voice echoing across the crowd.

Julie stared up at him, transfixed. She had no idea what he was going to do, but she couldn't move. Her mother took her hand for support.

He had no music, but the melody was in his head. Taking a deep breath, he began to sing.

I'm living without you

It’s not what I want to do

Here everyone creates their lies

Stepping on everyone that believes and tries

Look at Julie

She’s a bright, bright star

Look at Julie

Finding truth no matter who you are

Julie listened to the words and felt her heart swell. He was looking right at her as he sang.

Nick was glad he'd managed to find her in the crowd and kept staring at her as he continued.

I need to be with you

I'm far away from you

You were always looking for a sign

Searching my heart for something kind

You were always the one with the facts

But you never believed that someone could put on an act

Tears shone in Julie's eyes as Nick paused a moment and smiled down at her. She knew that she loved him more than anything in this world. He'd come back for her and that was all that mattered.

Look at Julie

She’s a bright, bright star

Look at Julie

Finding truth no matter who you are

You were always looking for a sign

Searching my heart for something kind

You were always the one with the facts

But you never believed that someone could put on an act

My star, you shine for us all to see

My star, you find truth in everyone you meet

Nick finished the song and the party guests literally erupted in applause. He heard many catcalls and screams as he continued to watch Julie, who started to wind her way through the crowd to the stage.

Tears were streaming down Julie's face as she finally reached him. "Nick, I..."

"Happy Birthday Julie," he said softly.

She hesitated only a moment before pressing her lips to his in a slow, sweet kiss.

The crowd around them applauded again as Nick kissed her back, overjoyed. "So does this mean what I think it means?" he asked when they pulled apart.

"If you think it means that I love you and never stopped, then yes it does."

"I love you so much Jules," Nick held her close. "Can we uh... go somewhere where there aren't so many people?"

"We could go out on the balcony," Julie suggested. "It's not so crowded out there."

"Okay," Nick squeezed her hand as they started to move through the crowd.

"That was amazing," Julie said in his ear as they stepped out onto the balcony. "When did you write that?"

"While I was here," Nick said. "While I was staying at the Burrow."

"I loved it," Julie whispered. "Thank you."

"Had to do something to impress you," Nick smiled at her. "I wanted to show you how much I really do love you Julie."

"You certainly did," Julie said. "I'm so sorry for not listening sooner, Nick."

"It's all right now," Nick pulled her close again.

"What I said before about needing more time," Julie said looking up at him. "I didn't mean that. I don't need time. I know how I feel and I know what I want."

"What is it that you want?" Nick asked.

"To be with you," Julie answered.

"Well that's what I want too," Nick leaned in and kissed her.

Julie wounded her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"I have one more birthday surprise for you," Nick said a few minutes later. "I was going to slip this into that big pile in the corner of the room but I was afraid it would get lost."

Julie laughed. "You didn't have to get me anything else. That song was present enough, Nick."

"Well it's too late, I already bought it for you," Nick pulled a small wrapped box from his pocket.

"You're just full of surprises, aren't you?" Julie asked, sitting down on a bench.

"I try," he said, sitting next to her.

Julie unwrapped the box and opened up the box. When she saw what was inside, her breath caught in her throat. "Nick..."

"Don't get too excited," he said with a grin. "It's not an engagement ring. It's a promise ring." he pulled it from the box. "I promise not to hurt you again Julie. I want to make you happy."

"You do," Julie whispered. "You make me so happy, Nick." She handed him the ring. "Will you put it on me?"

"Of course," he said, sliding it over her right hand ring finger.

"Perfect fit," Julie said smiling at him. He knew she wasn't just talking about the ring. "Don't you think?"

"I do think," Nick kissed her again.

"I have something to tell you, too," Julie said when they broke apart. "They want to interview her of course, but my parents think Greta might make a great nanny for Ethan."

"Really?" Nick asked happily. "That means she'll have a job... that would be fantastic. I was starting to feel bad dragging her all the way over here and not have anything for her."

"She's really great from what I can tell," Julie said. "And Ethan took a shine to her, too."

"I'm glad," Nick kissed her again. "Should we get back in there and dance? I still owe you one."

"Yes you do," Julie said. "Come on, Malfoy. Everyone in there saw you can sing. Let's go show them you can dance, too."

"All right," Nick said. "I love you Julie."

"I love you, Nick."

30. The Book of Love

A/N: Well, this is the last chapter of Hillsdale Nights. In this story we were able to develop some of our own original characters that we enjoyed writing as much as their parents. We can't thank those of you who have been loyal readers to our DD-Universe. We put in a lot of time and effort in these stories and it means a lot to us that you took the time to read and review. Make sure to read the authors' note at the end of the chapter!

The Book of Love – Peter Gabriel

The book of love has music in it
In fact that's where music comes from
Some of it is just transcendental
Some of it is just really dumb
But I
I love it when you sing to me
And you
You can sing me anything
The book of love is long and boring
And written very long ago
It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes
And things we're all too young to know
But I
I love it when you give me things
And you
You ought to give me wedding rings
And I
I love it when you give me things
And you
You ought to give me wedding rings
And I
I love it when you give me things
And you
You ought to give me wedding rings

*** One Year Later***

Hermione slid into her new robes that she'd purchased especially for that day. "Harry!" she called. "Have you got Saffron dressed yet?"

From the nursery, Harry smiled down at his nearly five-month old daughter who was smiling happily up at him from the changing table.

"Not yet," he called back before turning back around and giving Saffron a goofy grin. "Daddy's just been looking at his little girl, hasn't he?"

Hermione shook her head as she came into the nursery. "Honestly Harry, you give Greta the morning off so you can get her ready and then you just stand there with her."

"Well look at her," Harry said as Saffron gurgled. "I know I'm biased but isn't she the most adorable baby in the world?"

Hermione laughed. "If you're biased then I am too," she went to the closet and pulled down the tiny set of robes.

"Molly outdid herself with those," Harry said as Hermione took over dressing Saffron.

"Dad!" Ethan said coming into the nursery. "Can you tell me why I have to be the bloody ring bearer? I'm eight years old. Can't they let R.J. do it? He's two."

"Because Ethan," Harry grinned at his son. "RJ can't walk on his own yet and you agreed to do this for Chiaki." He ruffled Ethan's hair. "Even though I know she's breaking your heart by marrying another man." he teased.

Ethan blushed. "I don't like Kiki, Dad. Not like that. Besides, she's way too old for me."

Harry laughed loudly. "Then how come your face gets red when she comes over still?"

"Harry that's enough," Hermione said. "Stop bothering him."

"Okay, okay," Harry said ruffling his son's hair. "I guess it's Maddie we have to worry about then."

"Dad!" Ethan said, mortified. "I'm not the one who went and said I was going to marry her! She said that about me! And I'm not going to marry her!"

"Famous last words," Harry said under his breath. When Ethan glared at him, Harry said quickly, "You're right, little man. You're way too young to be thinking about marriage."

"Aye," Hermione carried little Saffron over to them. "I agree." she smiled at her son.

"She looks cute, Mum," Ethan said making a goofy face at his sister. "When she's not crying her lungs out."

"She doesn't cry all the time," Harry took her. "Only when I'm not around."

"Right, Dad," Ethan said rolling his eyes.

"Come on," Hermione said. "Julie and Nick are coming by in a little while and then we're heading over so she can get dressed with Chiaki."

"I'm not being the ring bearer when its Julie's wedding, Mum," Ethan said adamantly. "No way."

"You'll probably be one of the groomsmen," Harry answered as he carried his baby daughter downstairs, Hermione and Ethan behind him.

"Mum?" Ethan asked. "Will Nick's parents come to his wedding?"

"I doubt it Ethan," Hermione answered. “I’m sure after what they tried to do here that they aren’t about to show their faces again.”

”Besides,” Harry said with a smirk. “Draco doesn’t want to remember that I saved his bloody life.”

"But he's their son, right?" Ethan asked. "I mean if I was getting married--and I'm not saying that I am-but I'd want you and Dad there."

"Well that's because we love you," Harry answered. "It sounds horrible to say but Draco and Ginny Malfoy love no one but themselves and possibly each other. That's it."

"But they sort of helped you out," Ethan said confused. "I mean, for a little bit."

"Well yes," Harry said thoughtfully. "But they're still not good people. None of that would have happened if they'd just stayed in Australia."

"I didn't like them very much either," Ethan admitted. "But they are Nick's parents. I don't know what it would feel like to not be around you and Mum."

"Well you'll never have to know about that," Hermione put an arm around her son's shoulders. "You'll never have to worry about not being loved Ethan James."

"Thanks, Mum," Ethan said hugging her back. "Can I go and get some pumpkin juice if I promise I won't get any on my robes? Please?"

"Of course," Hermione said. "I think Greta made some biscuits earlier too."

Ethan grinned. "I'll be really careful." With that he dashed off toward the kitchen.

"Maybe he was a Weasley," Harry muttered. "He's always hungry."

"As if you should talk," Hermione scoffed. "Since Greta started working here, you're always hungry, too."

"What can I say?" Harry asked, bouncing Saffron gently in his arms. "She's a better cook than I am."

"She's definitely a better cook than I am," Hermione said with a laugh. "As much as I hate to admit it."

"Saffron's a better cook than you are," Harry teased.

"I think you're grumpy because we haven't had sex in how many weeks now?" Hermione asked.

"Whose fault is that?" Harry replied.

"We've been too knackered," Hermione answered. "We both have. Me getting back into the Ministry from being on leave and the fallout from what just happened with the Malfoys..."

"Right," Harry gave her a quick kiss. "Maybe we'll take a weekend away sometime soon."

Hermione looked adoringly at her baby girl. "I don't know I could stand being away from her for very long."

"Me either," Harry said. "Maybe just an overnight then."

"We'll see," Hermione said, not even sure she could bear that short amount of time away from Saffron.

The doorbell rang at that moment and Hermione went to answer it. "Hi sweetheart," she grinned at her daughter.

"Hi Mum," Julie said giving her a hug. "Where's my little sister?”

"She's there with your father," Hermione said. "Hello Nick, how are you?" she kissed his cheek.

"Good," Nick said smiling at her. "How about you?"

"Doing well," Hermione smiled at him.

Julie smiled when she saw her dad holding Saffron. "Dad! How cute is she? Those robes!"

"Molly made them," Harry passed his newborn pride and joy to his older one. "How are you love?" he gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"A little tired," Julie answered cuddling the baby. "Chiaki didn't want to do anything too wild before her wedding---can you believe it? So, we all just sat in her room watching movies and giving each other makeovers. Of course, two of the bridal party are not of age yet, so it kind of cut down on what we were able to do."

"Right," Harry laughed. "We'd best get you back over there with her. How was she this morning?"

"Calm," Julie said shaking her head. "I'd be so nervous, but she's completely calm."

"Your mum was calm," Harry said. "So you might just surprise yourself when your time actually comes." he picked up his daughter's left hand and looked at the large sparkling engagement ring on her finger.

"I'm still getting used to the idea of being engaged," Julie said softly.

"It's only been a few weeks," Harry smiled at her.

"I know," Julie said. "How about you and Mum? Have you managed to get any sleep with this one up at all hours?"

"Here and there," Harry replied. "Thank goodness for Greta. She's been fantastic with Ethan and my littlest one."

"She was fantastic with Nick, too," Julie said turning to look at her fiancé who was now laughing at something Hermione was saying. "And look how great he turned out."

"Aye," Harry replied. "He's still treating you decently right?"

"That he is, Dad," Julie said.

"Jules?" Nick said looking at his watch. "We should probably get you back to Chiaki's."

"Right," she said. "Where's Ethan? Chiaki can't wait to see him."

"Feeding his face," Hermione said taking the baby back from Julie. "Greta made some chocolate biscuits."

"Then Dad better go drag him out of there," Julie replied. "And you can have some later," she said to her fiancé who made a move towards the kitchen.

"Jules!" Nick protested, but Julie had a vice like grip on his arm. "Okay, okay."

Harry laughed. "That's right love. Train him well."

*** *** ***

"Your robes are absolutely gorgeous," Allison said admiring her sister's creamy white wedding robes that were still hanging in her closet. "I can't wait to see you in them, Chi."

"I haven't put them on since Lavender made me the one time," Chiaki said.

"They're gorgeous," Allison said admiringly. She bowed at Chiaki's feet. "And thank you yet again for deciding against orange for our dress robes. Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Chiaki laughed. "You guys can still thank Maddie for that." she looked at the clock on the wall. "Where is Julie?"

"With Nick," Frankie said playing with her bouquet of flowers. "As always..."

"I can't believe he proposed," Chiaki said dreamily.

"I know," Allison said. "And it was so romantic, too."

"Right in front of that roomful of people," Chiaki sat down and began applying a bit of makeup.

"Chiaki?" Allison asked taking a seat beside her sister at the dressing table. "I was...well, I was wondering if I could ask you something."

"Sure," Chiaki said. "What's on your mind Allie?"

Allison looked away and tried to gather her thoughts. "I, um, well, it's just that... well, I ...I shouldn't be talking about this with you on your special day anyway. Just forget I said anything."

"No," Chiaki pulled on her sister's arm. "We have time to talk."

"Really?" Allison asked looking over her shoulder to make sure Frankie was preoccupied. "Well, you know how Josh and Jon just moved into their own flat, right?"

"Yes," Chiaki put on a bit of eyeliner.

"I overheard Dad telling Mum this morning that he thought it would be a good idea if I didn't go over to Jon's flat..."

Chiaki laughed. "Don't tell me you're going to listen to that."

"Of course I'm not," Allison said with a smile. "But I don't know how to get around it. I'm terrible at lying. You know that. And well Jon and I are...we're..." her voice broke off as her cheeks reddened.

"Boyfriend and girlfriend," Chiaki prompted. "You spent the whole year with him at Hogwarts Allie."

"We did, but lately, I've...well, I've wanted to do...more," Allison said her voice barely above a whisper.

"Maybe it's your time then," Chiaki replied. "There's not an age limit on sex," she said quietly, also making sure that Frankie wasn't listening in. "You do it when you're ready."

Allison nodded. "We've talked about it, of course and he's been really great. He's not forced me into doing anything I didn't want to, you know? And I'm just afraid of what would happen if Dad found out, Chi."

"He's not going to like anything you do with a guy," Chiaki reassured her. "Not until the day you're engaged."

"Maybe not even then," Allison joked.

"Probably not until you pop out a grandchild," Chiaki nudged her playfully.

"Maybe not even then," Allison said giggling.

Julie knocked on the door and smiled apologetically as she came inside. "Sorry, I'm late. I know."

"You were with Nick," all three Longbottoms said at once.

"And my parents and little brother and sister," Julie pointed out.

"But the reason you're late is because you were snuggling with Nick when you left my place at seven this morning," Chiaki teased.

"I can neither confirm nor deny your version of events, Chiaki," Julie said, sitting down beside Frankie. "And you're just jealous because you haven't seen Toshio in 24 hours."

"Guilty," Chiaki said. "Come on, help me into my robes."

The girls gathered around and helped Chiaki gingerly slip into her robes without making a mess of her hair or her makeup.

"Chiaki, you look really beautiful," Frankie said smiling up at her big sister.

"Thanks Frankie," Chiaki said. "All three of you look gorgeous too. I'm so glad you're my bridesmaids."

"We are too," Julie said tearing up as she looked at her best friend. "Chiaki, you're getting married!"

"So are you," Chiaki grinned and pulled Julie into a tight Molly Weasley-esque hug.

"Easy," Julie teased. "We don't want to mess up your robes."

"They're okay," Chiaki was a bit teary eyed as well. "I can't believe in an hour I'm going to be married to Toshio."

"He's pretty excited too," Julie said. "I saw him on my way inside. He told me to tell you that you'd better not leave him waiting at the altar."

"As if I could," Chiaki replied. "He's the best I could have ever asked for."

"And you've loved him since the day you met," Frankie said dreamily.

"You could say that," Chiaki replied just as dreamily.

There was another knock on the door and Cho came inside. She took one look at her daughter and she was rendered speechless.

"Well?" Chiaki asked nervously. "Do I look as good as you did on your wedding day Mum?"

Cho nodded. "You look gorgeous, Chiaki."

"Thanks," Chiaki said. "How's Dad?"

"Holding up," Cho replied wiping a tear from her cheek. "It's not everyday you give away your daughter, is it?"

"I suppose not, but you have two more to go through this with," Chiaki said, giving her mother a tight hug.

Cho smiled. "I wanted to give you something. I didn't have time to wrap them, but I thought you'd want them today." She reached into her bag and pulled out a small jewellery box. Gingerly, Cho opened the box and showed Chiaki a pair of pearl earrings. "There were your Grandma Chang's. Her mum gave them to her on her wedding day. I thought it might be nice if you wore them on yours."

"Oh..." Chiaki said softly. "Thank you Mum..." tears filled her eyes again.

"Mummy?" Frankie asked. "When I get married will I get to wear them, too?"

"Of course you will," Cho said. "I'll save them for all three of my girls."

Frankie smiled. "And don't forget in two more years, I get to date."

"Who could forget," Allison rolled her eyes. "You remind us every day and you even have a countdown on your calendar."

"I just don't want anyone to forget," Frankie said defensively.

"We won't," Chiaki said.

"Mum?" Allison asked. "I was just wondering if after the wedding reception and everything if maybe I could go over and stay with Lizzy. We haven't seen each other since school let out, you know and I think it would be really nice to..."

She hoped her mother didn't realise that she really planned on going over to Jon's after the wedding.

"I'm sure that would be fine," Cho replied.

"Really?" Allison asked in surprise. When she saw the bemused expression on her mother's face, she said in a much calmer voice, "Thanks Mum."

Cho thought there was something more to Allison's story but let it go for now. "We're going to be starting soon, and your father will be in here in a few minutes."

"Okay, Mum," Chiaki said beaming at her mother. Luna and Maddie came inside a few minutes later.

"I'm sorry we're late," Luna said. "But you never expect us on time, do you?"

"We had to fix my hair," Maddie explained. Her curls were done up on top of her head. "And then Dolly wanted to come but Daddy said no."

Chiaki smiled down at Maddie. "We'll be sure to save Dolly a big piece of wedding cake, okay?"

"Okay!" Maddie nodded eagerly. "Where's Ethan?"

"He's with Toshio and the groomsmen," Julie answered. "You look very pretty today, Miss Maddie."

"Thank you," Maddie turned around in a circle, her pink robes flaring around her. She held her basket of rose petals in her hand.

"Everyone's going to be looking at how cute and adorable you are that I bet they don't even notice me," Chiaki said, smiling at her.

"Somehow I doubt that," Julie said dryly. "You're a gorgeous bride."

"You sure are," Luna agreed. "I was going to ask if there was anything I could do to help, but you look to be all set."

"I think we are," Chiaki said. "Now that it's so close I'm starting to get nervous."

"You're going to be fine," Cho said, squeezing her hand. "Your father and I are so proud of you, Chiaki."

"Thanks Mum," Chiaki said. "Is there anything to drink around here?"

"I'll go see if I can find you something," Allison offered. "What's your preference?"

"Water's fine," Chiaki said. "Thanks Allie."

Allison nodded and walked out into the hallway. She had no idea where she was going, but she hoped she'd find a kitchenette or something where she might be able to grab Chiaki some water. She turned the corner and gasped as someone put a hand over her mouth and pulled her into another room.

"Hey!" she finally worked herself free.

Jon grinned as she turned around to face him. "I was supposed to be waiting for my mum but when I saw you come out, I couldn't help myself..."

"Jon!" Allison hit his chest. "You really scared me!"

"Ow, Al!" Jon said pretending to be hurt. "Come on, Al. I was only joking..."

"I know," Allison said. "By the way... looks like we're on for tonight. Told my mum I was going to Lizzy's."

"Really?" Jon asked. He hugged her. "Are you sure about...you know, we don't have to do anything. You can just stay over."

"I know," Allison said. "But let's just see how it goes. I'm more looking forward to just sleeping together. I like waking up next to you." she grinned at him.

"We were getting really good at sneaking you in and out of my room, weren't we?" Jon asked before kissing her.

"Yes," Allison kissed him back. "I can't believe you're not going to be there at school this year. You're going to find some older girl that's out of school and go off with her aren't you?" she was only half teasing.

He touched her cheek. "I don't want any other girl, Al. Just you. And besides, we can always try sneaking you in and out of Hogwarts."

Allison laughed. "Past Dumbledore? Not likely." she kissed him again. "But when we get back I'll owl you the Hogsmeade schedule. And I'll see you over Christmas holiday."

"Don't you go falling for some hunky Ravenclaw either," Jon teased.

"Oh please," Allison said. "With that picture of us on my bedside table?"

"That's my girl," Jon said softly before leaning in and kissing her again. "You look really amazing today, Allie."

"Thanks," Allison smiled. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Jon grinned. "Had to look nice for my girlfriend, didn't I?"

"You always look good to me though," Allison said as he pulled her even closer.

Jon nuzzled her neck. "I can't wait to be alone with you tonight," he whispered in her ear.

"Me either," Allison said softly. "I'd better go right now though; I promised Chi I'd get her some water."

"Okay," Jon said chancing one more kiss. "I'll walk you back."

"Are you sure that's wise?" Allison teased. "We might not make it there until the wedding is over."

"You're probably right," Jon said, taking her hand. "But I'm willing to risk it."

Allison laughed as they found a small kitchen and she got her sister a glass of water.

Jon kissed her once more when they reached the room where Chiaki was getting ready. When Allison walked back inside, everyone stared at her. She also noticed that her father was now in the room.

"Where'd you go, Allie?" Frankie asked. "How long did it take to get water?"

"I couldn't find the kitchen," Allison said, which was partly true.

Chiaki took the glass from her sister. "Thanks, Allison. I appreciate it."

"You look a bit flushed," Neville said. "Are you okay, Allie?"

"I'm fine," Allison replied. "It's just warm in this place is all."

Neville smiled at her. "I agree with you there. It is rather hot in here."

Allison sat down and caught Chiaki's eye and shook her head just a little.

Frankie was practising her walk down the aisle and she nearly stepped on Neville's foot. "Sorry, Dad."

"It's all right love," he replied. "They're just seating everyone so there's only a few minutes left to wait. Nick's sitting with your parents," he told Julie. "Saffron seems to have taken a liking to him."

"All the girls love Nick," Chiaki teased.

"Very funny," Julie replied with a grin. "May I add that Toshio is the ladies man of your company and you're the jealous target of all the other girls?"

"Yes, yes," Chiaki said with a laugh. Frankie was still practising her walk. "Frankie, you're starting to make me dizzy."

"Sorry Chi," Frankie sat down next to her father. "I think maybe I'm more nervous then you are."

"Then we should sing," Maddie nodded.

"Sing?" Julie asked sitting down beside Maddie.

"Yes," Maddie said. "Probably a Weird Sisters song. Those are the only ones I know."

"I am not singing a Weird Sisters song," Frankie scoffed. "They are so five minutes ago."

"You were dancing to one of their songs on the wireless the other night," Allison pointed out.

Maddie swung her feet back and forth. "I want to see Ethan," she said.

Julie smiled. "You sure do fancy my little brother, don't you?"

"He's very dreamy," Maddie nodded, looking at Frankie. "That's what she said about him too." she grinned mischievously.

"I DID NOT!" Frankie exclaimed. "Madeline Weasley, he's five years younger than me!"

"Age is nothing but a number," Maddie recited.

"Where did you hear something like that?" Julie asked trying not to laugh.

"At Hillsdale that one night at dinner. Frankie said it to Chiaki." Maddie said, playing with her basket of petals.

"You remember everything," Frankie said.

Maddie nodded. "It's all up here!" she chanted, making Neville laugh.

"I never said that about Ethan," Frankie said looking at Julie. "Really. I might have said that once he grows up, he'll be really cute, but that was it, Julie. Really."

"I'm sure he will be," Julie thought of her brother.

"He's cute now," Maddie said smiling shyly at Julie.

Julie laughed. "Well if that's the case Maddie, I expect to see you out there on the dance floor tonight." she pinched the little girl's cheek lightly. "He won't be able to resist you today, you look so pretty."

"You think so?" Maddie asked hopefully.

"Definitely," Julie said.

Chiaki walked over to Neville. "So, are you ready, Dad? You're finally going to be rid of me..."

"We'll never be rid of you," Neville teased. "I think you'll be back once in awhile.

The girls all filed out ahead of the bride and her father, meeting the groomsmen in the hall just outside the chapel. One of them, Ken Williams, whistled at her. "Hey Chi, it's not too late to leave Tosh at the altar and run away with me!"

"Very funny," Chiaki said but she was grinning. "Nothing could tempt me away from that man in there!"

Neville smiled at his daughter. Memories flooded through his mind---the first time he'd held her in his arms at St. Mungos; the day he and Cho brought her home from the hospital; how he'd taught her how to ride a bicycle; how she'd come into their room at Hillsdale after meeting Draco Malfoy for the first time.

"I guess I should ask if you're ready," Chiaki smiled at her father.

"I thought I was," Neville admitted. "My little girl...I'm not so sure I can let you go."

Chiaki kissed his cheek before arranging her veil over her face. "I promise to come visit all the time."

"You'd better," Neville said smiling at her.

Chiaki waited patiently, clutching her bouquet as one of the groomsmen arrived with Ethan. "You look great," she smiled at Julie's little brother, who was tugging at his sleeve while holding the ring pillow under his arm.

Ethan blushed. "You look really pretty, Kiki."

"Thank you," Chiaki said.

"You look very handsome too Ethan," Maddie said, coming to stand next to him in front of Chiaki and Neville.

"We have to walk down the aisle together?" Ethan asked over his shoulder. "They didn't tell me that!"

"Ethan you know that," Julie turned around. "Relax will you?"

"Okay," Ethan said grumpily. He forced a smile on his face. He didn't want to ruin things on Kiki's big day.

Maddie hooked her arm into his. "We make a good looking couple," she said earnestly.

Ethan opened his mouth to say something, but Julie stepped forward. "Be nice, Ethan. I mean it," she hissed into his ear.

"Fine," he pouted as the beginning of the music started to swell through the doors. He looked at Maddie who gave him a charming grin.

"Let's get this over with," Ethan said as the doors opened. Frankie started walking and the crowd turned to look at her. She was busy looking at her feet to make sure she didn't trip.

"One, two, one, two..." she whispered, her arm tucked inside one of the groomsmen's.

Allison smiled over her shoulder at Chiaki before she and Toshio’s brother started down the aisle. She caught sight of Jon and winked at him.

Julie was after that and she caught Nick's eye and twisted her hand to flash her ring at him. She smiled at Toshio who was fidgeting nervously at the altar.

Harry looked at Cho who was already crying her eyes out. "She's not even made it down the aisle yet, Cho."

"Let's just see how well you hold up when it's Julie walking down the aisle," Cho retorted.

"I'll be fine," Harry replied smugly.

"Sure you will," Cho sniffed.

"He will be crying," Hermione whispered while trying to keep Saffron quiet. "And I'll have to sit and try to comfort him."

"You comfort me?" Harry whispered back. "You're going to be just like Cho, Hermione."

"Shh," Hermione said. "Look at Ethan and Maddie!"

Maddie was practically beaming as she tossed her rose petals down the aisle runner. As she saw her father looking at her, she grinned. "HI DADDY!"

"Hi sweetheart," Ron said, holding a finger to his lips as everyone laughed. "You look gorgeous," he whispered.

She nodded and went back to tossing her petals before coming to stand just beside Frankie and Ethan took his place beside a groomsman.

The music swelled again as Chiaki and Neville stepped forward. Cho grinned with pride through her tears as her husband and daughter came slowly down the aisle.

Neville looked sideways at his daughter and he'd never seen her look more radiant than she did at this moment. If he'd had any doubts about her and Toshio, they were washed away as he saw the look of love in his daughter's eyes as she focused her attention on Toshio.

Cho wiped at her eyes as everyone came to a place at the altar. Beside her, she saw Harry reach up towards his face. "You're crying too Harry James Potter," she hissed.

"I'm not," Harry whispered. "I was just getting my fringe out of my eyes...that's all."

"Right," Cho said sarcastically as the service began.

The service itself went by quickly. Chiaki barely heard the words the vicar said. Toshio was holding on to her hands and smiling adoringly at her.

When their vows came, he slipped her wedding band on and they almost started kissing before the minister pronounced them husband and wife.

"Our baby's married," Cho whispered to Neville. "Can you believe it?"

"No," Neville replied, holding onto his wife's hand. "And we have to do this two more bloody times."

"We'll be old pros by then," Cho said with a grin.

"I hope so," Neville said, clapping as his daughter and her new husband raced down the aisle.

Once they were outside, Chiaki launched herself at Toshio. "You're stuck with me now."

Toshio spun her around before giving her a kiss. "And you're stuck with me too," he said softly.

"Ethan, we should be next," Maddie said as they exited the chapel.

"Next to do what?" Ethan asked innocently.

Maddie shook her head. "To get married of course!"

"MARRIED?" Ethan asked her. "Maddie..."

"We should," Maddie said. "And we have Dolly who can be our baby!"

Julie stifled her laughter, clapping a hand over her mouth.

"Maddie," Ethan said trying to be nice and not make a scene. "We're too young to get married."

"Age is nothing but a number," Maddie echoed her words from earlier.

"Mad Dog, give it about ten years okay?" Josh was exiting the chapel with Lizzy on his arm.

"We can just be boyfriend and girlfriend then," Maddie said simply. "And we can go out on dates and the park and stuff."

"No way," Ethan shook her head. "Girls are way too much trouble."

"You've got that right," Josh agreed. Lizzy elbowed him in the ribs.

"I beg your pardon?" she asked. "I'm trouble?"

"I meant that in the best possible way of course," Josh said quickly.

"You'd better," Lizzy replied. "Or you won't get anything from me later." she added in his ear.

"I think I'll just keep quiet the rest of the day then," Josh teased.

"Better," Lizzy kissed his cheek.

"Hey, Allie!" Lizzy called out to her friend. "You did so great!"

"Thanks," Allison grinned as she joined them. "I was so nervous up there!"

"You couldn't tell," Josh reassured her. "Frankie looked absolutely petrified though. She kept looking at her feet."

"I know she was afraid she would trip," Allison laughed.

"Where's your other half?" Lizzy asked with a grin. "He kept his eyes on you the entire time you know."

"I'm sure he's around here somewhere," Allison looked around the hallway.

"Right here," Jon said coming up behind them. "Mum needed help with R.J."

"Hey," Allison looped her arms around his neck. "How did I look up there?"

"Gorgeous," Jon answered leaning in for a kiss.

"Watch it, Romeo," Nick said tapping his cousin on the shoulder. "Her parentals are coming this way."

"Right," Jon dropped his hands meekly. "Thanks for the warning."

"Least I can do," Nick said with a grin.

"Speaking of parentals where are your future in laws?" Josh asked. "I saw the rock you put on Julie's finger."

"They are with your mum and dad," Nick answered. "Saffron was getting a bit fussy."

"Is she okay?" Allison asked. "She's so cute."

"I think all the excitement wore her out," Nick said. "She is pretty cute, isn't she? And if you want to talk about cute, how about Maddie and Ethan? She's got it bad."

"She does," Allison cracked up. "You should have heard her before we came into the chapel. She swears she's going to marry Ethan and he can't stand a word of it."

"Allie?" Neville asked coming forward. "There you are, sweetheart. We were wondering where you ran off to. They need you for pictures."

"Okay Dad," Allison said.

"They're over in the courtyard," Neville said.

Jon watched Allison walk away and he wished he could go with her.

Luckily, Neville turned his attention to Nick. "So have you and Julie set a date yet?"

"Not yet," Nick replied. "We're thinking early fall of next year though."

"Gives her plenty of time to plan," Neville said chuckling. "Chiaki and Cho practically turned our sitting room into wedding central for the entire engagement."

"I'm sure Jules and Hermione will do the same. They're already on the search for a dress."

"Are you okay with all of that?" Lizzy asked pulling Josh off to the side. She and Josh had been together for over a year and she wasn't insecure about their relationship.

"Yes," Josh squeezed her hand. "It was a silly crush that's all. I've got the girl I want now." he smiled at her.

"Good answer," Lizzy said pecking his cheek.

"Do you think Neville found out that Allie's coming over to our place?" Jon asked his twin quietly. "He keeps giving me looks."

"You're still breathing aren't you?" Josh asked him. "If he knew, you'd be dust, Jon and you know it."

"Right," Jon said nervously. Sometimes he was sure that Neville Longbottom liked him but other times he thought that he wanted to take his head off.

"Congratulations you two on your graduation," Neville said coming over to the twins. "Ron and Luna are quite proud, I'm sure."

"Thanks," Jon stuck his hand out to his girlfriend's father. "We're just working on finding jobs now."

"What is it that you want to do?" Neville asked. "Allie mentioned something about you wanting to teach flying?"

"That's a possibility I'm looking into," Jon replied. "Right now I'm just working in my uncle's shop to make some extra money. My parents bought us the flat but Josh and I still have to pay rent on it."

"I know Allie's glad to have you back in London," Neville said.

"Yeah," Jon smiled. "We get to see each other more often."

Neville nodded. He wasn't all that happy about that, but as Cho kept pointing out they should trust their daughter and her judgment. It was good in theory, but Neville was finding it hard to practise.

"It was a really lovely ceremony, Mr. Longbottom," Lizzy said with a smile. "Chiaki made such a beautiful bride."

"Yes she did," Neville relaxed at the change of topic. "She's been looking forward to this day for a long time."

Ron and Luna made their way over to them. Josh took R.J. from his grateful mother.

"Joshie!" R.J. said putting his arms around his brother's neck. "I'm hot."

"Are you?" Josh asked. "Maybe we should take off your robes."

Lizzy helped Josh take off the little boy's robes and a grateful R.J. relaxed against Josh's chest.

"That better?" Josh asked his littlest brother.

R.J. nodded up at him.

"You're really good with him," Lizzy said smiling at her boyfriend.

"I try," Josh laughed.

"So Aunt Luna," Nick said putting an arm around her. "How does it feel to have only four children to look after now?"

"Life is much easier Nick," Luna smiled at him. "Although between you and me, your uncle is somewhat like a kid himself. So I still have five at home."

"I heard that!" Ron retorted.

Luna laughed. "I meant for you to hear that."

Ron shook his head. "Hey, Nev? When do we get to eat?"

"Well gee Ron," Neville began. "We only have enough food to feed all of Hogwarts. So maybe you should stop and get yourself four pizzas along the way to the reception."

"There's an idea," Ron said only half-joking. "I wonder who had the idea that you should only eat after a ceremony. You know what I think they should do? They should have the ceremony in a restaurant so people can eat whilst the wedding is going on. It's a brilliant idea, don't you think?"

Luna rolled her eyes. "You tried that one on me when we were planning our wedding? You remember how fast I vetoed that one, don't you?"

"Remember that time we had that little party at Cho's school when she first opened it?" Harry asked as he joined them. "Ron ate three pizzas on his own?"

Nick's eyes grew large. Ron shook his head. "Don't believe him, Nicholas. The Boy Who Lived here has a way of blowing things way out of proportion."

"I'm not lying." Harry replied, smirking at Ron. "Ask my wife, or Cho, or Luna, or Seamus--"

"Okay, okay," Ron grumbled. "I still think that it was more like two pizzas really. Because I think Luna may have grabbed a slice or two from that third one."

"I think that was all you dear," Luna's eyes twinkled at her husband.

"So what sort of food are we having at the reception?" Ron asked Neville. "Just out of curiosity, of course. R.J. wanted to know."

"Dad," Jon interjected. "R.J.'s asleep."

"Well he asked me before and when he wakes up I can tell him," Ron shot back.

"Okay," Jon said with a laugh. "Whatever you say, Dad."

"We're having just about anything you could think of," Neville replied. "Even that horrible bean curd that Chiaki loves."

"Bean curd?" Ron said wrinkling up his nose. "I think you may have found the one food I refuse to eat."

"You mean there's actually a food you don't like?" Josh and Jon asked, wide eyed.

"Yes," Ron said. "Two actually. Bean curd and that awful raw fish rubbish that Lavender fancies so much."

"Ugh," Seamus had joined them. "Neville you're not serving sushi at this reception are you? I hope you won't be offended if I have to duck out."

"We are serving fish, but I assure you that it has been cooked," Neville said shaking his friend's hand. "Where's Mrs. Finnigan?"

"She's off squealing over Chiaki in the robes and making sure the photographer takes some extra shots so she can put them on display," Seamus looked proudly over at his wife.

"She really did a fantastic job," Neville said. "Chiaki looked like an angel today, Seamus."

"That she did," Seamus nodded. "Just gorgeous."

"How long are you staying in London, Mr. Finnigan?" Josh asked. "We saw your latest film by the way. It was fantastic. Especially that explosion in the last scene."

"Wasn't that great?" Seamus grinned. "What did you think of Summer Rayne?"

Josh didn't want to say what he really thought as Lizzy was standing beside him. "Um, she was really good."

"Good," Seamus said, grinning. "And I'll be staying through the week. Lav still keeps her flat here so we don't have to impose on anyone."

"I still wish you guys would stay with us," Harry said. "We have more than enough room."

"Maybe we will," Seamus replied. "We'd like to take you both out for dinner before we leave."

"Double date for old time's sake?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Right," Seamus laughed. "Sounds good to me."

"How many pictures are they going to bloody take?" Ron asked looking over where Chiaki and Toshio were now posing with their attendants.

"She's also going to want one with her two godfathers, too," Neville pointed out.

"Really?" Ron asked, pleased.

"We should probably make our way over there," Harry suggested. "Come on, Weasley."

"Right on mate," Ron said as he and Harry went to their goddaughter who greeted them each with a tight hug.

"I was wondering when the two of you would come over here," Chiaki teased.

"Well your Uncle Ron got caught up in talking about food," Harry grinned.

"Imagine that," Chiaki said with a smile. "To tell you the truth, I'm as hungry as he is. I haven't eaten anything today."

"Well we'll fix that soon," Ron put an arm around her. "I'm proud of you Chiaki. You're a beautiful bride."

"You're going to start me crying again," Chiaki said.

"Don't you dare," Harry put his arm around her other shoulder. "At least smile for the camera first." he teased gently.

"I can do that," Chiaki said grinning broadly as the photographer snapped away.

Ron's stomach growled loudly. "Okay, now I'm really ready to eat. Where's the closest pizza place?"

*** *** ***

The wedding reception was held in a large banquet hall near Cho's dance studio. The party was in full swing by the time the happy couple arrived. Everyone was either eating dinner or dancing. Hermione was debating calling it an early evening. Greta had taken both R.J. and Saffron back to the Potters.

"Are you sure she's okay?" Hermione asked Harry for the twentieth time.

"I'm sure she's fine," Harry tightened his grip around his wife's waist. "Maybe she's starting to get her teeth and that's why she's so cranky lately."

"You're probably right," Hermione said. "I just hate being away from her."

"I do too," Harry replied. "But it's only for a few hours."

"True," Hermione said. "Hey, do you know what could take my mind off of it? If my husband asked me to dance..."

"All right then," Harry said. "Will this beautiful young Minister for Magic agree to dance with a lowly Auror?"

Hermione pretended to think. She laughed at the look on his face. "You forgot handsome, love. You're a lowly, handsome Auror."

"Right," Harry gave her one of his irresistible grins.

"I'd love to," Hermione said taking his hand.

"Shall we cut up the floor?" Harry asked. "Or should we keep things tame for now?"

"Probably should keep things tame for now," Hermione said.

"For now," Harry said, kissing under her ear. "I fully expect to see you in less clothing later tonight Mrs. Potter."

"I think that can be arranged," Hermione purred. "It's been way too long, Harry."

"You're telling me," Harry replied, putting on an injured face. "Making me wank in the loo before work-"

"Harry!" Hermione said, looking around to make sure no one had heard what he said.

"I was quiet," he grinned.

"It's not been easy for me either," she admitted.

"Well we'll take care of that tonight then," Harry gave her a gentle kiss.

"Hopefully Saffron will cooperate," Hermione said.

"I'll ask Greta to watch after her tonight," Harry said, twirling her around.

Hermione giggled. She still couldn't believe that over twenty years ago, she and Harry had danced like this on their wedding day. In less than a year, they'd be at Julie's wedding.

The future bride to be was on the other side of the room, dancing with her fiancé. "What a great night," she said, her head resting on Nick's chest.

"It is," Nick said softly. "It'll be our turn soon, you know."

"I can't wait," Julie smiled up at him.

"I didn't want to tell you this, but the morning our engagement announcement appeared in the papers," Nick began. "I received a letter from my dear old parents."

"What did they want?" Julie asked, her eyebrow raised in a sardonic fashion.

Nick looked thoughtfully at her. "Well, keep in mind I'm paraphrasing here, but it was basically them telling me that I had one last chance to come back to them...that I would be ruining the Malfoy name if I married a Potter...blah, blah, blah..."

Julie rolled her eyes. "Will they ever leave you alone?" she asked.

"I think this time they will," Nick said with a smile. "My parents aren't very fond of rejection as you well know."

"Obviously," Julie replied, leaning her head against his chest again. "Well at least your grandparents are both in Azkaban and my mum's making sure they won't get out this time."

"Right," Nick said holding her close. "And all is right with the world."

Julie smiled up at him. "That it is," she said. "And all will be better if you promise to wear the leather trousers for me later."

"I think you just may be obsessed with those," he said with a laugh.

"I'm obsessed with the man in them," Julie whispered in his ear.

"So the leather trousers would be a perk?" he asked her.

"Mmhmm..." Julie said. "A very valuable perk. Just like when you lean over in the mornings and sing something in my ear to wake me up. I love that."

"That has to be one of the reasons you agreed to marry me," Nick whispered.

"One of them," Julie replied. "But mainly because I love you." she grinned at him.

"That's a damn fine reason," Nick said grinning down at her. "And since we're talking about the wedding, I was thinking of asking my uncle to be my best man. What do you think?"

"I'm sure he would love that," she replied. "Chiaki's my maid of honour. Well... she'll have to be matron of honour actually."

"She looks really happy," Nick said looking over to where his half-sister sat with her new husband.

"Aye," Julie looked over as well. "She told me a few years ago that she knew she was going to marry him someday."

"I have a feeling you didn't say the same thing about me when we first met," Nick said. "You hated my guts if I remember correctly."

"I didn't hate you," Julie said. "I didn't like you that first day but I was incredibly attracted to you."

"I knew it!" Nick said smugly. "You were just in denial!"

"But I've never denied that I thought you were attractive. And may I remind you that you bloody used a pickup line on me?" Julie said, laughing.

Nick groaned. "A terrible one at that. I cringe at the memory of it."

"What was it?" Julie tipped her head to the side. "I walked out of your dreams and into that club?" she laughed harder at his expression. "What on earth made you use a pickup line?"

"I didn't know what else to say!" Nick said defensively. "At least it wasn't as lame as 'If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together'. One of my band mates actually used that once."

"I guess I am glad you didn't use that one." Julie replied. "But at least things worked out in our favour."

"Eventually, right?" Nick asked her. "We went through an awful lot to get here, Jules."

"Yes we did," Julie agreed. "But now it's been almost a year that we've been together. And we're engaged to be married next year. I can't ask for much more than that."

"Me either," Nick whispered pulling her close.

Julie leaned in and kissed him softly.

"Love you," Nick said when they pulled apart.

"Love you too," Julie said, smiling at him. "More than anything."

"I could hear you say that for the rest of our lives and be a very happy man," Nick said kissing her again.

"Okay then," Julie replied, her lips still on his. "I'll say it every morning, afternoon and evening."

Nick smiled and spun her around.

"Come back here, Ethan!" Maddie said as she brushed past them chasing after Ethan.

"Maybe we should tell Maddie your little pickup line and see how well it works for her," Julie joked.

Nick laughed. "You Potters are certainly irresistible."

"And you Weasleys sure are persistent," Julie shot back with a smile.

"That we are," Nick pulled her close again. "I'm glad I was persistent with you."

"So am I," Julie said. She looked over Nick's shoulder and saw her parents dancing. Her mother was laughing at something her dad was saying. For such a long time, she'd wanted to find a love like theirs. She'd thought it was impossible. That had all changed last summer when she'd met Nick Malfoy.

A/N: Well you’ve all been so wonderfully patient about waiting for our surprise- although it may not truly BE a surprise ;)

We both can’t get enough of this universe and the characters we’ve created for it- so we started a fic that was basically just little bits of things thrown together. Once again it’s taken a life of it’s own- but this time it’s not all stuck to one time period. This spans the time right before Chiaki and Toshio’s wedding to 20-30 years later when Ethan, Maddie, RJ are older and there are grandkids in the equation ;)

This story, entitled Last Dance, is mostly sequential but there may be times later that it doesn’t run that way. We will fill you in when that happens. It also will not be posted until both of us get back from our vacation in a couple of weeks so this will have to tide you over until then.

Thanks for being such FANTASTIC and loyal readers and we’ll see you guys then!