Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

madscientist

Rating: R
Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 02/03/2005
Last Updated: 31/05/2005
Status: Completed

The board has been set for the final confrontation with Voldemort. Their destinies have been revealed in fire and blood, but our heros may not be strong enough to win. Harry and Hermione have finally revealed all to each other, but can the trio survive the revelation? ? The town of Hogsmeade lays in waste, but that was just the warm-up, for Voldemort has a plan that may cost everything that they hold dear. Are the forces of light strong enough to beat back the tide of darkness that threatens to engulf them all? I don’t know let’s find out shall we? This book is the sequal to the Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn.

1. My Brown Eyed Girl

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor
Prologue

Where we are right now:
At this point Harry and his friends are dealing with the repercussions from the defining events of their sixth year at Hogwarts. Voldemort has come into the open with his war, however the Ministry of Magic is still keeping the full impact from the public, the muggle public at least. Arthur Weasley has been appointed Minister of Magic, following Fudge's removal for cause from the office. Arthur's record is far from spotless however, as the mass escape of all the Death Eaters in September of last year that were captured by the Order in the battle at the Ministry at the end of year 5, and the subsequent attacks by those same freed Death Eaters and their new recruits, have left many muggles and wizards dead or injured. At school, all was not safe either; both Ron and Hermione have been attacked, and almost killed.

This animosity culminated with a trap for Hermione that almost killed her in front of Harry during the final Quiddich match of the year with Slytherin, a match that ended with Harry with another broken arm, but an amazing catch of both Hermione and the snitch. This last year also featured the spectacular turndown of Ron by Hermione, who by the time Ron asked her out, had long figured out that she was really in love with Harry. Both Harry and Hermione realized what their feelings meant, in the snow outside of the Burrow, right before Christmas, where Hermione had fled with her parents, following their being caught in a random Death Eater attack. In a futile attempt to protect each other, they had deigned their feelings, and themselves.

They were fated in the end to fail at their deceptions as in the last Hogsmeade weekend, Voldemort's forces attacked Hogsmeade, with the help of Trolls, a couple of dragons, and many Death Eaters. At the height of the battle Harry faced several Death Eaters alone in a burning building without his wand or the Gryffindor sword, which had become his in this year. As he thought he was as good as dead, Hermione appeared like a guardian angel through the flames and managed to fight enough of the Death Eaters alone to allow Harry to escape this trap.

This climatic battle had spawned further revelations, in the end, a pair of Death Eaters managed to get behind her, and were about to strike her down, when Harry blasted both of them though a wall with a wandless banishing spell. With this they both declared their feelings surrounded by the fallout from the battle. This battle had its costs however both to Hogwarts and Hogsmeade; several students were killed outright with many others wounded. As to Hogsmeade, the cost to the town was high, with at least a quarter of the populace injured in someway, and several establishments destroyed entirely, including Zonkos, and the Honeydukes franchise. The pain did not end there, as Ron finding out about Harry and Hermione's new status before they had a chance to let him know, resulted in a spectacular fight in the halls at Hogwarts outside of the infirmary full of injured students, and an icy train ride home. By the end of the sixth year, the main characters have started to show the powers that may yet allow them to triumph over the Dark Lord, or at least give it a good run. The story starts on Harry's birthday between his 6th and 7th year at Hogwarts. Harry is now 17, Hermione will be 17 in 49 days (September 19), and Ron is already of age. And now, here we go, Harry Potter Year 7: Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor.


Chapter 1: My brown-eyed girl

******4 Privet Drive******

July 31 2005 Just after Midnight

In a tiny room in a typical suburban home a young man stirred and muttered in his sleep. "No, damn, you, NO!" He screamed as he jerked awake. Sitting up slowly, the young man panted slightly, and ran his fingers though a mop of messy, sweaty, jet-black hair. He was shirtless in the July heat, as his adoptive guardians had long ago blocked any air conditioning into this room. From this, one could see that he was thin, but in excellent shape, and that several small and not so small scars marred his chest, arms and back. But these features in and of themselves were not truly distinctive, the only things that truly distinguished him from thousands of others like him, were shockingly bright green eyes, and a curious lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead, which at this moment was luridly standing out on his temple.

He looked over at the bedside clock sitting next to a pair of unusual photos and noticed that the time was 12:07 am. The young man now performed a peculiar act. He pulled a stick, similar to a conductor's baton from under his pillow and twirled it though his fingers. Hmm I guess this means no more letters from the Ministry about being underage, he thought pensively, looking down at his hands. He picked up the first of the photos, which showed a happy pair of people, one of who looked almost exactly like him. The really odd thing about the photos was that the people in the photo were moving. Mum, Dad what am I supposed to do? He's my best friend in the world? What am I to say to him? He wouldn't even speak to Mione or I on the ride home he just got up and patrolled the train. We didn't try to cause this rift, it just happened. What with the aftermath of the assault on Hogsmeade and such we never got time to tell him, then he caught us and then....

With this thought he picked up the other picture. This one was obviously newer as it was color instead of the black and white of the other picture and more importantly, had the young man in the picture along with a beautiful girl with long brown curls and glowing, large brown eyes, and a tall, blue-eyed, red-haired, befreckled boy. The three of them were intriguingly wearing long black robes with a rampant lion on the pocket over what looked to be boarding school uniforms. However in this picture all was not well. The black haired boy and the brown haired girl were standing with their arms around each other mugging for the camera, while the red-haired boy stood over in the corner looking peeved, occasionally shooting annoyed glances at the pair.

Damn it Ron, I never thought about you, you hadn't said a word since forth year. How were we supposed to know that you still had feelings for Hermione? At least I didn't and if she knew she never told me. Of course she could have been trying to protect me, god knows I probably needed it after that trip into town, the only thing that kept me together was that we finally found each other that day. If I had had to take another's feelings into account then I probably would have just disappeared and the Dark Lord would have won that day.

Suddenly he heard a heavy tread on the stairs outside the room and through the door an angry yell thundered, "DAMN YOU BOY I HAVE TO SLEEP, I HAVE TO MAKE A SALE TOMMORROW TO KEEP YOUR FUCKING FACE FED! WHY THE HELL WE TOOK YOU IN AFTER YOUR BITCH OF A MOTHER DIED I DON'T KNOW!"

The head of the young man, who had been ignoring this repetitive tirade, snapped around to face the door like the turret of a battleship acquiring a target. A brief blue flash lit up his eyes and he responded in an icy tone just loud enough to be heard on the other side of the door. " Shut up about her!" To any sensible person, especially one of the boy's true kin, that warning would have put the fear of God into them, but the blustering man on the other side of that locked door had no such sense.

"WHAT ARE GOING TO DO BOY? USE MAGIC, HA. YOU KNOW THEY WILL KICK YOU OUT OF YOUR PRECIO..." The angry man mocked.

"Vernon", the young man replied, not raising his voice above the tone he had been using, "Do you know what date it is?" For a moment, the noise of crickets though the slightly open window could be heard in the silence, then:

"NO WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH IT?" The angry voice retorted.

The young man laughed bitterly, "I know you never have remembered a birthday of mine, but I would have thought you'd marked this one down. I'm of age Vernon and all of those old rules go out the window." With these words, Harry Potter raised the stick, pointed it at the door and muttered "Alohomora". With the quickness of a striking snake, all of the locks that had been so carefully placed on the door to lock him in at night opened themselves with a rapid-fire series of clicks which sounded for all the world like a machine gun going off.

Sudden silence rang out from the other side of the door. After a minute, the sound of a heavy tread was heard once again, but this time beating a hasty retreat.

I hope I don't have to pay for that, I least I have my OWLs, I can get a job if nothing else. It did serve as a bit of a treat though, if I were half as evil as they thought I was I would put Riddle to shame. Harry reflected bitterly, his thoughts flashing back to the myriad torments he had endured over the years at his Uncle's hands.

As he looked around the room Harry noticed once again the empty space where normally a large birdcage sat on the dresser. I'm glad you at least didn't have to spend the month of Hell with me here Hedwig. I'm so glad Hermione agreed to take you for the month so at least you could fly free. I'm sorry that you couldn't go to Ron's, girl, to hang out with the other owls, but at least you are being cared for. Harry's thoughts once again split between the beautiful witch and the red-haired wizard in his photo, once again, he felt the bitter pang of that fight with Ron at the end of the school year.

Almost if the thought had become manifest, a light scratching was soon heard at the window. Looking up, Harry saw a snowy white owl looking impatiently at him through the panes of glass. He smiled a small smile and got up, grabbing a shirt from the side of the bed and throwing it on as he went over. Fully opening the window, he let the owl in. At least the damn bars are gone, I guess he was too cheap to replace them after Ron and the twins broke me out. A fresh flash of pain briefly shot though him at the thought of his best, or maybe former best friend. Shaking off the memory, he gently petted the owl and whispered, "Let's see what you have for me girl." Hedwig gave him a soft hoot in response and obediently extended her leg so he could more easily get to the message carried there.

Taking a folded parchment off of the owl's leg, he walked back over to his bed and sat down on it heavily, the bed emitting a loud squeak. Going to come up here and complain about the crappy bed you gave me Vernon? Opening up the bedside table he rummaged around until he found some old owl treats in the back of the drawer and tossed them over to Hedwig. "Sorry girl, that's what we have until I get out of here, hopefully you brought my release papers." Hedwig hooted reproachfully in response to his comment almost as if she were answering him, then with an air of distaste started picking at the old treats, like a small child eating her vegetables.

Harry looked at the letter his faithful familiar had brought and noticed the small, neat handwriting on the address:

Harry Potter
Smallest Bedroom
4 Privet Dr.

As soon as he recognized the handwriting it was as if a weight had come off his shoulders and a true grin replaced the half-arsed smile had had worn.

30 July
Harry,

I have missed you so much! I can't believe that it has only been since June since I have seen you last. I know you sent Hedwig to my house to spare her the pain you must endure with those people, but I have kept her running ragged flying back and forth to Dumbledore and Lupin, demanding when we can come and get you. We will be there tomorrow and your Damn uncle and cousin better stay the hell out of our way when we come and get you, or I'll act like you and forget that I'm not of age for another eight weeks. Speaking of that, I um got a warning from the Ministry about that incident with your Uncle, but I have not yet achieved your record, love.

Language my dear, such language, I'm sure glad that you weren't here a few minutes ago, or you might have tied my record. Harry looked over at Hedwig and asked, "So she kept you busy?" But Hedwig merely gave him a dirty look as if to ask why he had left her with a crazy woman, Harry laughed softly and read on:

I think there may be hope on the Ron front, I have been talking to Ginny as she came over the other day, and it seems that the only one surprised in the Weasley household about us was Ron, and she says, "don't worry he's just being a damn git again." Honestly, Harry even if he doesn't forgive us, it's my fault, not yours. I never told you but right before that day in Hogsmeade, he tried to ask me out and I'm afraid that I might not have let him down easy enough. Actually I snapped at him something like "If you had said something two years ago then you might have had a chance." As usual I was buried in a book studying and worrying about things and Ron with his usual lousy timing asked me when I had too much on my mind. I apologized immediately and he said it was ok, but I guess that he really wasn't.

Explains a lot Mione, I wish you had told me before we had that difficulty with Ron after the battle and then later on the train.

Ginny says that about a week after we got back, Ron went for a walk in the village and when he came back he had a spring in his step and was happy and sunny to everyone. No one at the Burrow knows what is up with this, even Molly, but Ginny thinks it's genuine. That's what Ginny says anyway, but I think she knows more. I guess we will find out together tomorrow, actually today I'm sure, as the Owl flies. I have your present but since I have tired Hedwig out I thought I would just give it to you when I see you. I'll be there at 10:30 am to get you along with the usual escort crew. You better be waiting for me.

Waiting hell, I doubt I can sleep until then.

Love,
Hermione

"Well girl, it looks like we better pack, we have ten hours before we never see this place again." Hopefully.

**********************4 Privet Drive, The living room***********************

10:35 am.

"BOY WHERE ARE YOUR DAMN FREAKS?" Vernon yelled at Harry. "I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO COME GET YOU".

Harry didn't bother to comment, he just turned and looked at Vernon, who abruptly remembered this morning's conversation and shut up, his mouth snapping closed like a giant carp.

Suddenly with a series of loud cracks like fireworks, the room quickly got a whole lot more crowded. Standing in the middle of the room, the cracks of their apparations still echoing, was not only Harry's usual escort of Lupin, Tonks and Moody but also Albus Dumbledore. This sight alone, was enough to completely unhinge Vernon and Petunia; while the other three members of the Order of the Phoenix were basically dressed in more or less normal muggle get-ups, not withstanding Tonks currently bright pink hair, Dumbledore had shown up in his full Wizard regalia, complete to the pointed purple hat covered in glowing white stars. Privately, Harry wasn't sure if Dumbledore had dressed this way to reinforce the point he had made to the Dursleys a little over a month ago at King's Cross Station, or if he just liked the outfit, truthfully it most likely was a mixture of both. By now Vernon and Petunia were almost drooling on the white shag carpet of the immensely clean house, but Harry ignored them.

Just as Harry opened his mouth to greet Dumbledore, a vision walked into view. From behind Lupin, a girl almost exactly Harry's height, with wavy, golden-streaked, brunette hair and amber-speckled brown eyes emerged. She wasn't particularly dressed up; in fact she looked as if she had just thrown on some comfortable clothes for hanging out with friends. Her hair was pulled back into a simple ponytail and she was wearing worn jeans, an old loose sweatshirt with a picture of a lion munching on a broomstick and trainers; he didn't care a bit. He was just as awestruck as if she had shown up in an evening gown and heels with her hair made up. His aunt and uncle however for their part, cringed openly. Almost as if they were wizards and someone said had said the name Voldemort. They remembered quite well thank you, the last time that they had met this girl, a little over a month ago. For a fleeting second, Petunia even threw an accusatory glance at her own beloved son.

Hermione sauntered up to him, a crooked smile mirroring his own. Without saying a word she threw her arms around his neck, and grasping the back of his head, she pulled him to her. Her eyes slipped closed as her lips touched his, and as she demanded entry, the lights in the room started to flicker oddly, and several glass knickknacks shattered on shelves. The room lights went out completely for a moment then as they pulled apart, everything returned to normal.

Vernon's eyes goggled, and his mouth opened and closed several times, but no sound came out, while Petunia's had a look of a touch of fear, but oddly did not seem to have the confusion evident on her husband's face. Dudley however, looked at Hermione as if she was a steak on a plate and he had been on a three-day diet. DAMN...Well serves them right. Harry thought happily, and as to Dudley, Boy, she could take you apart like a paper bag. But I guess she already proved that didn't she? Yes Dudley, that is what a girl really looks like.

"Hi" Hermione said staring in to his eyes from around three inches away as she pulled away for just a bit. Her chest was heaving slightly from oxygen starvation, and random energy was still crackling about them.

"Hi yourself" Harry replied, a little breathlessly from the same distance away, as he looked over the top of his round glasses into her eyes, from this close up he could see her perfectly.

"I missed you."

"I sorta got that"

Back with the initial group, Tonks leaned over to Lupin and whispered in his ear, grinning, "Why don't you ever kiss me like that Luv?"

"I can't afford the property damage." Lupin replied softly as she chuckled.

"Ah HEM" Dumbledore cleared his throat. Harry and Hermione exchanged identical grins and pulled apart. They turned together to look over at their Headmaster. "Harry, we are going to the usual place. Due to the fact that you are now of age we will apparate directly there. Hermione has a special dispensation from the Minister of Magic to use magic out of school since there is only two months until her majority and the need is great. Tonks, Remus, Alastor, go with these two, I will meet you there later." Dumbledore turned from his students and fellow Order members and faced the Dursleys squarely.

Alastor Moody nodded and with a look at the other four named people he disappeared in a sharp crack and a puff of smoke. The rest of them and Harry, along with all his possessions and Hedwig, vanished a second later in a series of loud, identical CRACKs.

"Petunia" Dumbledore began with an air of annoyance; any twinkle that had been in his eyes at Harry and Hermione's reunion was now wholly absent. Remarkably, he was totally ignoring the blustering Vernon at her side, "Harry may never return to this house or he may continue to stay here for part of the year, even I do not know, but remember this. YOU WILL REMEMBER OUR BARGIN." Dumbledore waved his wand silently, repairing the minor damage Harry and Hermione's reunion had caused, and with this act Dumbledore too vanished, but unlike the others in an eerily silent manner.

Built by Text2Html

2. Forgiven ?

JKR owns all the characters, except those few I made up. So there.
Chapter 2, Forgiven?

**********12 Grimmauld Place, London*****************

With the normal CRACKs accompanying disapparation, Harry and entourage arrived in the entryway to the old mansion. Instantly, Harry could tell the changes present in the house since Sirius' day, Harry had been here of course last summer, but he had not really noticed the changes his friends and true family had performed on the house, with the possible exception of his bedroom, Sirius' old room. Dobby the house-elf waiting for Harry was one of those new changes, with the entryway another, instead of its old dark normalcy it was now brightly lit. Tonks' perpetual enemy the troll's leg umbrella stand was long gone, in its place was a neat vase serving the same purpose.

"Master Potter" Dobby began, almost bounding up and down in his joy at being reunited with Harry, whom had freed him from the repressive Malfoy family. Instead of his old rags, he now wore an actual outfit in green and black that even matched, someone had obviously gotten to him and forced him to wear matching clothes, a truly monumental task. It was not the clothes themselves; Dobby was free and proud of it. But the actual matching part, that seemed to be the issue generally under contention. Ginny had snidely commented a while back that it must be some male thing, that they couldn't match anything. To which her brother Fred, who was in the room at the time, wearing unmatched socks, threw a pillow at her head.

"Dobby you know I would just like you to call me Harry" Harry interrupted before Dobby got truly started. "You are my friend." Dobby grinned hugely at Harry's statement and started bouncing even higher, shaking the vase containing a couple of currently dry umbrellas, dangerously.

"But Dobby is so grateful to Harry Potter for letting him and Winky work for Harry Potter and for paying us to work too. Ohh the happiness I feel, lunch must be truly great for Harry Potter and his friends" With that Dobby snapped his fingers and vanished like dust in a wind.

Harry shook his head ruefully, "Harry, I suppose you would like your usual place in Sirius old room, I'll take your stuff with me as I go to change." Tonks interjected, with a sly look that boded ill. "Hermione, would you like your stuff in your old room across the hall, or should I save you some time and put your stuff in with Harry's?"

Hermione blushed at this suggestion and looked away for a long moment. Harry however, responded through a cheek he was biting to keep from laughing. "No, Nymphadora, why don't you throw her stuff in the other bedroom." Remus, who was standing behind Harry with a hand over his mouth to cover his laughter, was giving his silent support for Tonk's idea. Most of Harry's adult friends and all of them, except one from school, thought it was about bloody time. Harry was even privately sure that money had exchanged hands soon after the fact was public; after all he himself had won twenty galleons on the Remus and Tonks poll, before the end of last school year from Fred and George.

"Sure, your call Harry, but you're both adults, well she is in a couple of months anyway and it is your house. By the way...I'll get you back for that Nymphadora." Tonks replied with a grin and a dangerous look in her eyes, and strutted off up the stairs with two sets of trunks hovering after her as she whistled a muggle rock tune.

"Harry, Hermione" Remus announced uncomfortably into the silence after Tonks had left, "there is someone who wants to talk to you in the parlor, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me."

************Parlor, 12 Grimmauld Place*********************

Harry and Hermione walked in the door to the large parlor. The room was now thankfully barren of the screaming portraits of the Black family and the house-elf heads that had once hung on the wall. The tone of the room was normally bright and airy, almost as if the new decorations symbolized the new management. However, the atmosphere in the room this day now resembled the calm before the storm that either skirted on by and missed or blew your house down. Several couches were arranged haphazardly around the room and a chair was facing away from the door as if to stare at the currently extinguished fireplace. The ceiling that Dumbledore had bewitched last summer to act like the sky above the house, was reflecting the overcast conditions outside, almost as if it were reflecting emotions instead of the weather.

"Before either of you say anything let me speak" came a terribly familiar voice from the high backed chair facing away from the door. Hermione grasped Harry's hand tightly and both of them were silent, each waiting for the other shoe to drop. "I guess I always knew" the voice went on, "I knew somewhere in my heart that it was you two that would end up together and I don't know if I was jealous, or scared of loosing my friends, or if I was just stupid, or what. I shut both of my best friends out and it took my SISTER and mumble to make me see my error." With this admission, the person in the chair stood up and turned to reveal the tall redhead that had been over to the side in Harry's picture. His hands in his the pockets of his jeans, his head to the floor, he shrugged," Forgive me?"

The tears that Hermione had been holding in broke free; she ran to and grabbed Ron in a fierce hug. "I'm sorry Herm, I would take back what I said if I could, if nothing else you might as well be my other sister, God knows Ginny is outnumbered" He went on with a grin that while a touch forced, was genuine as he returned the hug with just a touch of awkwardness.

"I guess you are", she replied, a catch in her throat, rubbing tears from her eyes, "Just don't do it again."

"Harry, what about you?" Ron looked over at his best friend for almost seven years with a look of desperation on his face as he stepped back from Hermione. Behind him, Dobby appeared for a moment, left drinks on a table, and left, all without a sound.

"Ron, you know if you were Malfoy, I'd beat the shit out of your for what you said," grinning, "But since you aren't..." Harry too, pulled Ron into a brotherly hug.

"It's good to see the family back together," a light alto said from the doorway.

"Ginny" exclaimed Hermione at the sight of the tiny redhead.

"Glad to see you too sis." Ginny replied with a huge smile as Hermione gathered the tiny girl into a hug.

"So Ginny, since we are all family now, what's with this other person that helped Ron get over his stupidity?" Harry asked sardonically as Hermione let her go. Ginny poorly faked a look of shock at the reminder that Hermione would have shared this information with Harry. Eleven chimes rung out from a now repaired grandfather clock out in the hall, announcing the time.

"Well Harry, all I'll say is what I'm sure Hermione already told you, is that after about a week of moping around the Burrow, mum kicked him outside because she was tired of hearing him moaning and whining, and told him to go take a walk or something. So he mopes out of the house and supposedly wanders on down to the village. And any more than that and Ron should tell you himself." Ginny said while looking at Ron with a raised eyebrow.

"Ronald?" From Hermione, a thoughtful look on her face, almost as if she were doing a geography problem in her head, which she very well could have been, of a sort anyway.

"Okay I guess you will know anyway soon enough as she is supposed to be here this evening anyway for the meeting." Ron replied thoughtfully as he fidgeted with an owl figurine on the table next to him, the new symbol of the house since Harry had taken ownership from Sirius.

"Meeting?" From Harry who was momentarily thrown off the track of Ron's new relationship, which, with Ron's penchant for strategy, may have been the whole point.

"Yeah, we'll get to that, Dumbledore didn't tell you I guess? Anyway, I sort of was walking though the village and thought I'd get a pint and I ran into Luna." Ron replied, his ears suddenly turning the color of his hair.

"Luna?" from two throats, though both could imagine it, Luna had had a thing for Ron since she had seen him on the train two years ago, and Ron had actually taken her to the Halloween Ball last year, since Harry and Hermione had gone as "friends."

"Yeah, can you believe it?" He went on with a chuckle, "She asked me if I was talking to you guys yet, and I couldn't believe that she was just going on like it was a little spat, but she got me to talking to her. I talked to her anyway, then she wandered off on a tangent about the Cannons using transfigured werewolves on the team or something, then back to us and the Order and stuff, then we talked some more, and somehow we started meeting up in the village, since they live just the other side of town from the Burrow. I mean she may be insane, but are any of us all the way here after the last seven years? And one day I just sorta kissed her and she goes, and I quote, it's about time Weasley, and we have officially going out ever since." Ron said all this very quickly then paused, catching Harry's eye, "What?"

Fighting to keep from laughing, "Nothing mate, you know I'm happy for you" Harry was incredibly pleased for his friend, but it was still funny.

Almost as if he were remembering something, "Yeah I believe you, she sure freaked out mum though, the first time she came over for dinner." Ron shook his head humorously at the memory.

"What did she do?" asked Hermione, remembering almost two years of the odd behavior of the daughter of the publisher of the Quibbler, which Hermione had more than once referred to as a rag. She had changed her mind after the paper came out in support of Harry in their 5th year however.

"The usual" responded Ginny, her eyes laughing. "In the middle of a normal conversion about the meal, she launches into this spiel about how the garden gnomes have a secret plan to take over all our gardens and hold our food hostage. I guess mum had never heard her on one of her rants."

"Guys" Lupin had just poked his head into the room. He looked visibly relieved at the atmosphere he found there, he had seen the aftermath of the their squabble last June, "Dobby says lunch is served and then you guys might want to grab a nap afterward."

"Why?" Harry asked, not tired at all since he was home and with his loved ones again, and free, he swore to himself, from Privet Drive, forever.

"Because you are to be inducted into the Order of the Phoenix this evening and you just may need your rest." Lupin replied with a slight smile, wandering away, whistling the same tune as Tonks had earlier.


Built by Text2Html

3. The Next Generation

Chapter 3 The Next Generation
***********12 Grimmauld Place***************

Several additional faces have now joined the previous occupants in the parlor, waiting for the meeting to start and for them to be called. In addition to Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny: Luna Lovegood, George and Fred Weasley, and Neville Longbottom had arrived at headquarters over the course of the afternoon. Luna had greeted Ron with a kiss before the door even closed behind her, to the catcalls of his brothers, but Ron hadn't seemed to mind. Now, of course, Ron was taking Remus' advice to heart and was taking a nap on one of the couches; Crookshanks was joyfully donating of his fur to Ron's shirt as he slept. Ron always used any excuse to get more sleep. Harry was catching up with the Weasley twins on the joke shop business while keeping a portion of his attention on the animated conversion going on among the girls on the other side of the room. From the occasional giggles leaking out he assumed that the conversion was at his, Ron's, or Neville's expense and more than likely, a combination of all of the above.

Dumbledore appeared at the open door and knocked on the doorframe with his wand. Everyone of course stopped his or her conversation to look up to see whom was here. "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger; may I see you in the hall for a moment, I assure you that you are not in trouble."

The two looked at each other across the room and walked out into the hall trailed by Dumbledore.

"Professor", Harry began with an inquiring expression, this was the first time he had seen Dumbledore since Harry had left Privet drive this morning. "What did you have to stay and talk to the Dursleys about, I don't ever plan to return to that hole." As he looked at Dumbledore, his expression became determined, as if to communicate his feelings on the subject.

Dumbledore frowned slightly, though he did not blame Harry in the least. Of all the decisions that he had had to make regarding Harry over the years, having to leave him at the Dursleys for any amount of time was his least favorite. "Harry, while you may not wish to ever interact with them again, they still are your mother's closest relatives and currently your guardians. Even though you are of age in the wizarding world, and free to make your own decisions, now is not the time to throw away any advantage that you might have and the protection granted by the blood magic, may still prove useful. I was merely reminding your aunt of certain, hmm, obligations that she may not abandon lightly."

"What I originally asked you out here for was this". With a twinkle deep in his eye, Dumbledore held out his open hand palm up and two shield-like badges appeared. On both of the badges a large H overlaying the four house mascots of Hogwarts was present with the words loyalty, courage, cunning and wisdom inscribed along the bottom of the shields. Along the top, a phrase in Latin was also written, Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus. With a flick of his wrist, the two badges flipped over, on the back of one was inscribed Hermione Granger, Head Girl, above a small Gryffindor lion. The other badge was the same, except for that Harry's name was in the place of Hermione's and it said Head Boy of course. Harry's heart leapt into his throat, not at the sight of the badge, but at the look of pride in Hermione's eyes as she grinned over at him before glancing back up at Dumbledore.

"I didn't see the point in tiring out an owl to bring these over since I was already here," Dumbledore said with a smile. "I think you knew this was coming Miss Granger, even after that masterful exhibition of transfiguration the first day back last semester," he added humorously. Hermione didn't quite meet his eyes after that comment, but her lips did quirk upwards.

"Professor, I was never even a..." Harry tried to object only to be cut short.

"Yes, Harry you were not a prefect per say...however we both know that was basically the misjudgment of an old man. All of last year, you demonstrated responsibility in your special role equal to any of the prefects and more than most. Both of you have time and again shown the qualities necessary for this office, and unfortunately there is another reason." Dumbledore paused and looked suddenly guilty, but he went on, "The oldest definition of Head Boy and Girl contained additional responsibilities besides that of being the leaders of the student body and providing for a liaison between the faculty and students. The original definition also defined them as champions for the school, and it is in this capacity that I feel we may need you once again. You both, along with your other friends have been performing this duty for several years now so we might as well make it official, mightn't we?" And with this Dumbledore wandered off, leaving them to their thoughts.

"Harry, Head Boy, I knew that you would get it, of course you should have been a prefect, years ago." Hermione said excitedly, a little too loudly, almost bounding up and down with her joy. Grabbing his shirtfront, she pulled him into an embrace, and planted a kiss on his lips, laughing all the while. Letting him go, she stepped back a step, and glanced back down at the badges in their hands.

Harry, of course, couldn't abandon a friend at all, even when the comment was the truth, "Mione, Ron did ok." He countered weakly, though even he really didn't believe it.

She knew that he knew better, "Harry you know that's bullshit, even Ron will admit that." Glaring at him just a touch, but with a grin fighting to break free once again.

"She's right Harry, though I do like the pretty badge, I guess I am working for you," Ron said with a small laugh as he entered the hall, agreeing with Hermione's earlier statement. "That fifth year I did as little as I could. I made up for it last year, but everyone knows that Dumbledore should have picked you." Ron clapped him on the back and looked over Harry's shoulder at the new badge.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Both of you know why he said he didn't. So Hermione do you know what are powers we have? Do we get to have Draco clean up owl droppings up with his tongue? Or how about making Crabbe and Goyle spell Mississippi 1000 times correctly in blood?" Hermione smiled at the image but said nothing in response.

Harry took her arm in his, "So Head Girl, would you like to celebrate at Diagon Alley tomorrow? I guess we can invite along certain inept prefects too." Harry asked with a leer at his red-haired friend.

Dumbledore returned, most likely from the kitchen where he had his stash of muggle candy hidden. Noticing them still standing in the hall, he spoke, "Mr., Weasley if you would kindly gather the rest of your compatriots and meet us in the dining room. Harry, Hermione, this way" Dumbledore headed down the hall to the large dining room of the house, Harry and Hermione dutifully trailing behind.

***************Dining Room 12 Grimmauld place********************

For the ceremony, very little was done. The great dining table and the majority of the chairs had been removed, but that was about it. Above the assembled members of the Order, the owl chandelier that normally hung above the table glowed, and in the fireplace in the corner, a fire was lit. At the front of the room, Dumbledore stood, alone. To his right, the new inductees stood facing the rest of the room, more or less in a line. Harry and Hermione stood closest to Dumbledore, while Ron accompanied by Luna and Ginny stood to Harry's right. Neville, and the twins finished out the group, further down from Ginny. Across from them, several members of the surviving cast of the Order waited.

Arthur and Molly stood close together. She looked as if she were ready to burst into tears, but so far had held off. She would occasionally look at her children and quickly have to avert her eyes though. In a little chump next to the elder Weasleys, Bill, Charlie, Tonks, Lupin and Mad-Eye stood, talking softly amongst themselves, their expressions were mixed, ranging from the almost exuberant expression of Tonks, to the sad eyes of Lupin, as he watched Harry, join the Order that had gotten his parents killed. Moody was more matter of fact, he even checked his watch a couple of times and purposefully held it out to Dumbledore, to get this started so they wouldn't be so vulnerable in a large group.

Finally closest to Dumbledore, McGonagall stood, her expression was unreadable, her lips in a thin line. But every now and then her eyes would scan the group of Gryffindors and she would let out the tiniest of sighs. She had been against this, after all it had been the practice to wait until they were out of school, but there really was no choice now. The war had come to the doorstep of Hogwarts, and if it hadn't reached there yet, it was only a matter of time. The rest of the Order: Shaklebolt, Hagrid, Vance, Fletcher, Diggle, Snape and the rest were not present. Most of them as they were busy with various assignments or duties, Snape as he had refused to come.

With a solemn face Albus Dumbledore began to speak: "Since the rise of the Dark Lord twenty years ago, the Order of the Phoenix has existed to help hold back the night against him and his followers. The Order has contained in its ranks many of the great wizards of light, of which few have survived. In this dark hour, our need for protectors is great." He paused and muttered an incantation, in each of his outstretched hands an item appeared.

"In my hands I hold the marks of the order. In my right the medallion of courage, it's great bird shown defeating the serpent. In my left I hold the cloak of the Order of the Phoenix, a garment that is both our armor and our uniform. As I speak your name respond in the affirmative or the negative if you wish to accept or deny this heavy burden. Know also that if you accept, then the death price is on your head and of your loved ones, and can only be lifted on the final defeat of the dark lord. There is no shame in refusing this burden. In civil times, young ones such as yourselves should not have to bear such a weight but these are troubled times indeed."

With a visible effort, Dumbledore recited the first name, "Harry James Potter"

Harry's eyes flickered to his right and left to Hermione's and Ron's somber faces, "I accept."

Dumbledore gave himself the tiniest of nods, "Hermione Jane Granger"

With a slight shudder, and a return of Harry's quick glance, "I accept."

'Neville Longbottom"

Thoughts of his parents at St. Mungo's crossing his mind, "I accept this task."

"Luna Melanie Lovegood"

What the hell? I need to pick up some quills, She thought, "Yes, I accept."

Dumbledore hesitated in his reading of the inductees, and looked over at Molly and Arthur Weasley. Arthur stood with his arm around the shoulders of his wife. Both of them wore their own cloaks of the Order. Tears silently leaking from her eyes, Molly refused to meet Dumbledore's gaze, but gave the tiniest of nods. In return Dumbledore gave her a very small but respectful bow, then continued determinately.

"Fred Weasley"

"Sure"

"Uh Humm" Dumbledore replied, an eyebrow cocked.

"I accept" Fred sheepishly repeated.

"George Weasley"

"I accept."

"Ronald Bilius Weasley"

Looking directly into the eyes of his best friends, "I accept."

"Ginvera Molly Weasley"

With a deep breath that almost doubled the size of the tiny witch, "I accept"

Molly started crying softly at Ginny's acceptance; Arthur did not make a sound but merely held his wife tighter. Now the entire Weasley family, with the exception of Percy, who had just recently returned to the good graces of the family, was now directly involved in the fight against the Dark Lord, and therefore vulnerable to the consequences. Near them, Lupin bowed his head, as if to say a quick prayer and looked back up at the teens.

Dumbledore made a very odd, very complicated motion with his wand, and around eight necks, identical medallions appeared, on eight sets of shoulders black cloaks now hung like folded wings, "This night has seen the Order of the Phoenix grow, may these souls be the catalyst that ends the terror of Voldemort. So mote it be."

*************************Harry's room******************************

1:00am

KNOCK, tiredly, Harry glanced up from the book that he was reading over. He was sitting up in bed, the pool of light from his reading lamp, casting the rest of the room into shadow. Once again, as had been the case for almost every night this summer away from friends and succor, sleep had been denied him. "Come in" Harry answered softly to the door. Hedwig gave an annoyed hoot as the door opened, and the bright lights of the hall spilled into the dimness of Harry's room, which was interrupted only by an enchanted red and gold lava lamp on a dresser, and Harry's reading lamp.

"Morning, love" Hermione murmured as she crossed to his bed. "Dreams again?" She asked, with a little frown as she sat down next to him and snuggled in close. Lazily, Harry leaned over and gave her a chaste kiss, and reaching out an arm, pulled her even closer to his side. Without moving from his side, Hermione pulled the covers from under her and over her legs.

Harry looked down at her now blanket covered legs with a raised eyebrow, "you know that I was fine with it if you had let Tonks put your stuff in here." Harry softly teased as they both wiggled down to lie down.

Hermione smirked, and nestled her head deeper into his shoulder, "but then I wouldn't be a proper English lady." Hermione paused and looked deep into his eyes. "How long has it been since you slept through the night Harry?" concern filling her soft soprano.

"Before Hogsmeade...I think," Harry replied instantly, not even trying to lie to her. "God, I missed you. And I think Hedwig was going to disown us both, she never had to fly so much in one month before." Over by the window, on her perch, Hedwig chirped indignantly and turned away from the pair, who just laughed at Harry's familiar.

"You know," Hermione bit her lower lip as she looked over to him, "we will be sharing a common room, with no pesky girls stairs, and no roommates..." Harry sighed and kissed her forehead gently.

"Maybe I can get some sleep again then, last year was hell." He growled and settled into his pillow. "Some hero, I am I can't even face my own nightmares."

"That's my job, as long as you will have me." Hermione replied; her chocolate eyes sparkling with unshed tears. She gave Harry a small smile as he absently wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Till death do we part," Harry muttered, to himself he thought.

He thought wrong, Hermione's eyes grew wide, and she gazed at him with a touch of shock. "Are you serious." She whispered, shakily.

Harry snorted, "Yeah I am actually, though I thought I was talking to myself," he admitted wryly. "Hermione, say the word...you know I mean it. I mean I will ask you, assuming we're both alive to hear the words." With a flash, he thought of the contents of three boxes in his vault at Gringott's, and of a letter Sirius had left, you could have just said, you prat. Harry sent heavenward. "I can't imagine living without you. I was so stupid, I knew last Christmas, I mean I always knew...but..."

"But" Hermione whispered, interrupting, "when we came into the kitchen at the Burrow, and I saw you there..."

"I thought my heart stopped." Harry whispered back, and held her as if he was afraid she was a dream. "Then your dad yelled at you and you took off into the woods..."

"You were the only one who dared to follow me." She replied with a satisfied little grin, a sudden thought crossed her always-busy mind, "we are the only people who can argue with ourselves, even Ron runs and hides from us anymore when we get on a tear." Harry didn't reply, just gave her a slight squeeze in response. "So Head Boy, if we end up in the same bed at school, after chasing other students off from doing the same thing does that make us hypocritical?"

"Don't care, miss Head Girl, but since I am anyway, I might as well abuse my power." Harry replied, smirking, to which she chuckled softly. "Anyway, lets try to get some sleep, I'll fight your nightmares, if you take care of mine."

"Harry?"

"Yeah," he replied, already half asleep in her arms.

"What will we say if Molly catches me coming out of here in the morning?" Hermione asked, not worried, just curious; as she looked at him, sleep clouding her eyes.

"Don't care, do you?" Harry murmured as he kissed her gently on her forehead.

"No." With that statement she dropped off asleep as eager as Harry to get a full nights sleep, for the first time in ages.





A/N: They're back, and everything's at peace right....are you kidding? Next chapter a little trip to Diagon Alley for some ice cream...nothing ever goes wrong there...right?

Built by Text2Html

4. Encounters


Chapter 4 Encounters

*************Diagon alley***************
August 1, 2005

Harry and his friends have disapparated to the Leaky Cauldron. Since they were going to Diagon Alley together, and with all its other wizards around Dumbledore had decided that there was no need for an escort. And to be truthful, the six of them were as proficient as any of the Order members that he would have had available to go with them anyway. The teens had soon split up after they had entered Diagon Alley. Ginny and Neville having gone off to look at a cage in the pet store that according to advertisements in the Sunday Prophet might hold the ever-elusive Trevor the frog. Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna were together having just left Gringott's, where Harry and the rest had gotten some money out of their respective vaults. Hermione also had to exchange some muggle money for galleons, as her parents were muggles, and most of her Wizarding money was tied up in a secret trust from Sirius that only she and Harry knew about.

Harry had remembered his promise of yesterday, and they were all on the way to Flortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, where the rest of the group of friends planned on taking Harry up on his offer to celebrate both their induction into the Order, however somber the connotations of that event might be, and more happily, Harry and Hermione's appointments to Head Boy and Head Girl of Hogwarts.

The two couples were holding their respective partner's hands and walking down the center of the street without a care in the world for the first time in a long time. They were conveniently, deliberately, forgetting all of the other times that they had been attacked or otherwise accosted by various foes on this very street, ranging from the Malfoys both young and old, to the attempted assault on Harry and Hermione last year, by a freed on a technicality, Delores Umbridge.

Having just left Quality Quiddich Supplies, they were walking along the dusty street looking in windows and dodging occasional errant owls. With a small sound of delight, Hermione spotted a new book in the window display of Flourish and Blots, "Harry, look they have the new version of Hogwarts a History, I know that we already have our school books, but can we go in for a second? Please?" Hermione pleaded, with a grin.

"Sure Mione," Harry responded instantly while giving Ron and Luna a quick eye roll at the same time. "Lets go." Ron and Luna silently broke up with laughter as Hermione dragged Harry to the bookstore, though both of them could tell that he was not resisting too awfully hard.

As Harry and Hermione started to walk into the door of the wizarding bookshop, they were bumped hard enough to knock Hermione to the ground. Harry looked, up expecting to see an apologetic employee of the bookstore, apologizing profusely. They have been known to run over a customer or two while hauling stacks of books around especially during their busy season right before school or failing that, some overzealous first year running though the store.

Instead of these perfectly ok explanations however, the visages of Draco Malfoy, along with his "companion" Pansy Parkinson, and henchmen Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle assaulted his eyes. Draco, especially, stared at Harry with hatred in his eyes, as if he still hadn't gotten over the capture of his father at the Ministry of Magic by Harry and his friends in their abortive attempt to save Sirius Black, or the various confrontations that marked the school year, just past.

Crabbe and Goyle merely stood there in the doorway, their large bodies blocking traffic in and out of the store. They were trying to look menacing and failing badly, especially to eyes that have faced down the Dark Lord Voldemort himself. Harry reached down and pulled Hermione to her feet, all the while staring at Draco with a look of utter distain.

"Potter," Draco sneered in his inherited aristocratic drawl, as he instantly evaluated Harry and Hermione's changed relationship, "I'm not surprised a half breed piece of shit like you would take up with a mudblood like Granger there." He turned to Ron and Luna who were still standing in the middle of the street where they had been going to wait outside for Harry and Hermione while they shopped. "And Weasley, I see that even though you are a pure-blood you managed to find the one pure-blood even more fucked up in the head than you, how are you Loony?" Draco chuckled haughtingly, while his minions laughed sycophantically.

Harry glanced at Hermione and just managed to barely restrain himself at a tiny shake of her head; he contented himself with just silently glaring at Draco. To his rear, he could feel Ron bristling while Luna of course was unfazed, but then she was unfazed in the running battle in the Ministry of Magic and later at the battle of Hogsmeade.

While this confrontation was brewing, Draco and his friends failed to notice that the street was starting to resemble a pride of lions with all the Gryffindors that started to appear as if from out of nowhere. Pavarti Patil, and Lavender Brown slipped out of the bookstore behind the bookends, Crabbe and Goyle, with full bags from where they had been getting their books for the upcoming year. Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas appeared from the other end of the dusty street where they had been looking at this year's brooms in the Quality Quiddich Supplies window, and finally Ginny and Neville appeared carrying a cage for the recalcitrant Trevor. They had been supposed to meet the group at Flortescue's. None of the Gryffindors said a word; they were all waiting to see what would happen, and to see if they would be needed to fight or just to enjoy the show.

"So Granger," Pansy began hatefully with a sneer in her voice and on her face "Is he at least good in bed?" as she mimed a eating a banana.

From there the fight was on, Hermione instantly crossed the gap between her and Pansy in two quick strides and backhanded her across the face. Pansy staggered to the side, her lip bleeding. Instantly, Draco punched in response at Hermione's head. Hermione however, was far from the little innocent muggle girl she had been, she had had over six years of practice at this stuff. She was already moving away when he threw the punch so it missed the side of her head by several inches. This did not save him from Harry's wrath however, as a punch that started around Harry's belt buckle landed under his jaw and knocked him to his knees. Chest heaving, Harry stood over Malfoy, his eyes now glowing, and radiating power for every magic user present to feel.

As to the rest of the fight, the remainder of the Gryffindors had not been idle, Ron had jumped Goyle as he looked to come in and blindside Harry; Goyle was now sitting on his arse, with an eye already swelling shut. Crabbe seemed to have run into a wall; he was just lying on his back with Seamus and Dean looking down on him with very satisfied expressions. Even Pansy had not gotten off easy as Lavender grabbed her hair while Pavarti punched her in the stomach...hard, causing her to spill even more blood from her split lip on the ground, soon followed by the remains of her breakfast.

Around Harry, small objects were starting to levitate and move about as if possessed of their own free will. With dawning horror, Draco looked up at Harry to witness a pair of glowing electric blue eyes looking down on him, as he suddenly started to recognize what he had awoken. As the feeling of raw, elemental magic filled the air, Hermione ran over to Harry. Without any hesitation, she threw her arms around him until he calmed down, returning the favor that he had shown to her on a train platform in downtown London, less than two months ago.

After a few seconds of her calming arms around him, the levitated objects gradually settled to the ground and his eyes turned slowly back to their normal green. With a glare that promised divine retribution as she stared down at Draco, Hermione said scornfully, "Get the hell out of here, while you still have a head on your shoulders, you arse." With this Draco scampered to his feat and the four damaged Sytherins beat a hasty, staggering retreat.

Escaping out of range, Draco yelled a parting shot back at them, "YOU WON'T HAVE YOUR MUDBLOOD TO SAVE YOU NEXT TIME POTTER!" All the while thinking, I wonder what Lord Voldemort would think of Potter's choice in mates, I think I remember him killing Potter's parents for the same sin among others.

"Thanks for calming Harry down, Herm. I could have got the blood out of these robes, but when he does that glowing eye thing my hair is just buggered up all day." Pavarti said with a smile, as she beat dust from her robes and shook out her hair.

"Your welcome. Mine too." Hermione responded with a matching smile, then giggled a bit at Pavarti's expression.

The tension broken, Harry looked to his housemates with gratitude, "Before those idiots showed up, we were going to Fortescue's to celebrate, the rest of you come on, my treat." Harry said to the assembled Gryffindors, who all readily agreed to let Harry once again buy and they all headed off together towards the sweet shop at the other end of the street.

*************Riddle Mansion*****************

In a dark wood paneled room lit only by a few candles, and despite the time of year, a roaring fire, a tall, thin dark man sat in an old fashioned high backed chair. He glanced down at a short note he had just been given by one of his minions. Crushing the note in his bony fist, a heinous smile appeared on his snake like visage, his cat-pupiled red eyes, growing wide with an evil joy. He turned to a small, slightly hunched, greasy man in one corner. The man had a silver right hand, and appeared to be utterly subservient to the dark man.

In a flat menacing hiss, the dark man spoke, as if from a man down to an ant, "So Wormtail, it looks as if Potter has taken up with a little mudblood bitch" The man cackled softly while the silver-handed man cowered in fear, "I think it is time to show them there is no safety anywhere, especially for their dogs." The candles blew out in a sudden gust of wind, leaving the previously dimly lit room almost in blackness, the only exception, the light from the fire and from the dark man's curiously glowing red eyes.

"He He HE"


A/N: Okay that was a short chapter...sorry about that. For some oddball reason, some of the early chapters are kinda short. Next chapter an early morning morning wake up call, and a late night conversion. SeYa then.



Built by Text2Html

5. The Test

A/N: Rowling still owns every thing and almost everyone in this universe. Phoenix_Girl There is a change to this chapter, a slight addition..
Chapter 5: The Test

********************12 Grimmauld Place, London********************

August 24, 2005
6:00 am

"Bloody hell Harry, what are we doing up at this hour?" Ron growled as he staggered into the basement room of the old mansion that Harry had told him to come to when he was rudely awoken this morning. Hermione grinned wryly but quickly turned her face so Ron couldn't see her expression. Ron had come into a room outfitted in some ways like a combination Room of Requirements in its DA mode and a classroom. Over to one side, practice dummies and mats sat waiting for use. Unlike the Room of Requirements at Hogwarts when the DA used it, the shelves of books on the various subjects of DADA were absent, though there were more than a few upstairs scattered about Harry's and Hermione's rooms, the library and Dumbledore's interim office in the study.

Harry sat behind a rectangular wood table at the front of the room, his feet casually propped up on it. Hermione was perched next to his feet on the table, while the other student inhabitants, and just coincidentally the rest of the six that went into the Ministry after Sirius were scattered on a couple of couches, Luna waved Ron over to her. He scowled again but paced over and plopped down beside her.

Harry raised an eyebrow at his oldest friend and replied, his voice dripping with irony, "Good morning, Ron, Moody loves this crack of dawn shit." With that pronouncement, Harry swept his feet off the table and rose to stand behind it. His tone and manner turned suddenly serious and he looked at them all except Hermione, though he knew with out looking, she had his attention too.

Harry took a deep breath and waved his wand over a crystal orb that sat alone in the middle of the table. A projection of a house appeared above the orb, the house sat in a meadow, a creek running beside it. As soon as the image appeared, Hermione had a weird feeling that she had seen it somewhere before.

"Godric's Hollow" Harry said briskly as he pointed to the projection with his wand. Hermione suddenly knew where she had seen this house, Harry's parent's home and where he had lived for the first year of his life, it had been in his memories when they were practicing Occlumency/Legilimency together last year. "Today we get to leave the house to go to another." Hermoine glanced over at Harry, she could tell that this bothered him a bit; she grabbed his free hand from where she sat next to him. Thanks, Love, Harry replied in his thoughts as he gathered them to go on. "Today, we take this house back from approximately twenty Death Eaters."

"BLOODY HELL!" Ron snapped, wide-awake suddenly.

Ginny looked over at him with a slightly apprehensive look but she just had to get in a dig, "What's a matter dear brother, afraid of Voldemort's thugs?"

"No, I..." Ron sputtered but Harry soon saved him.

"Fortunately, today, our Death Eaters are members of the Order, this is an exercise" Harry paused to four identical sighs of relief; Hermione had already known of course what was happening. Harry gave them a wry smile at their obvious relief, not that he doubted their bravery, not at all, he had been with all of them only two months ago at what was now already being called the Battle of Hogsmeade. Damn Chocolate Frog Card already has it added to the Bio, an annoying random thought flickered across his mind as he weighed what to say next, Might as well just go with it.

"The house is, as I said, in Godric's Hollow, we will take a clandestine portkey to here." A spot just out side of the house started flashing on the floating diagram. "We will then split into two teams of three. Ron, you, Ginny and Neville will enter from the rear entrance, while Hermione, Luna and I will enter from the front." Harry waved his wand and the schematic zoomed into a 3D floor plan of the house.

"Ron you take your group, and after you've entered, immediately go down these stairs and sweep the basement. While you are down there my group will hold the main floor. As to the initial entry, blow the bloody doors off hard; it'll hopefully knock out anyone in the rooms beyond. After you get done with the basement, Ron you take the rear stairs from the kitchen, I'll take the front stairs and we clear the remaining two floors. In the top of the house in a room on the third floor is a crystal-recording sphere; we need to recover it and get out. We get it, and as one group we get the hell out of there. As there are anti-apparation wards on the house itself we will evacuate to here, " the projection had followed Harry's words and a picture of a clear area just on the other side of a hill from the house was seen, "We get here, we're done, if this were real of course we'd disapparate out, but since its an exercise, we wait. Any questions?" Harry pointed to Neville's raised hand, "Neville, I'm not Umbridge I don't give a shit if you raise your hand."

"Harry since its an exercise what spells can we use, just stunners?" Neville replied worriedly.

"Stunners of course Neville, however you can use other spells as needed, don't worry the same dueling guards are in place at the objective house as are at Hogwarts in the Room of Requirement. So as long as you don't screw up and use an unforgivable we're fine." Harry replied evenly to assuage his fears. Neville nodded to signify he understood, as did the rest of them. "However, for the purposes of this exercise, if you are stunned, you're out, the rest will have to carry you out if they can. Ok then, go get ready, we leave from here in an hour" Harry sat back down closing his eyes, listening to the footsteps as they walked out and the door opened and closed. Without opening his eyes, "Did I screw up too much Mione?"

"Not too much, love." She replied seriously. Hermione sat carefully in his lap in the chair and leaned back into his chest. Looking down at the sweats both of them had on, "we should probably get ready." Harry didn't respond he just waved his wand in a complex manner over their heads and as she watched their outfits morphed into the cloaks and battle dress of the Order. "I taught you that."

"I know, thanks"

7:00 am

"Ok here it is" Hermione said to the assembled group, now all back and dressed more or less as Harry and she were. The full black gear was probably overkill, in the middle of the day, jeans and t-shirts would probably done as well; the cloak however was a different animal. The cloak itself was truly armor, just as Dumbledore had said, it would protect against low level spell attacks and even physical attacks such as flame to a degree. Hermione held out an old soda can, today's portkey, and one they could dispose of without anyone the wiser. They all reached out and touched it with a finger, their off hands grasping drawn wands just in case, "on three...two...one..."

They all felt the all-too familiar sensation of being in several places at once, and in a flash they were in a beautiful meadow, the white washed house one hundred yards away. Quickly scanning the area, Harry and the rest looked for any surprises, there were none that they could see anyway. With a grimace, he signaled to Ron to head off and he did, silently trailed by Ginny and Neville, with only a nod for confirmation.

Harry led his team; they ran up to the house, and crept onto the front stoop. Only to almost have it all go wrong at the start. Without any warning, a masked figure came around the corner, and with a muffled curse, tried to draw its wand. Unfortunately for him or her, Hermione already had hers out, "STUPEFY", and with a blot of red light the figure crumpled to the ground.

Harry didn't have time to laugh at the pink hair sticking out from behind the mask, "Shit, Luna, take the door down, now!" He snapped, and with a shouted "REDUCTO" she did, blowing it to splinters. Distantly he heard the echo of Ron's group doing the same on the other side of the house, but he paid it no mind as he dove through the door to the right. Seeing another masked figure, which was currently staggering from the effects of the reducto in the small room, Harry immediately stunned him and glanced around the room on his side, not even turning as he heard Hermione's "STUPEFY" and the thump of another body behind him. Harry did grin for a split second at his victim, especially at the bright red ponytail that had been revealed when he was knocked out and the hood had fallen back. "Clear?" He asked behind him, and on hearing an affirmative back he walked to the foot of the front stairs and waited. Looking up he saw no one but he knew somehow that was a lie.

Harry, Hermione and Luna heard stomping as Ron's team ran back up the stairs, "Basement's fine Harry, two out down there." Ron shouted through the open door from the kitchen, as he got ready to go up the back stairs that led from the kitchen up. Looking around, damn I'm hungry, Ron thought idly as he waited for the next part.

Harry kept glancing up the stairs nervously, this had been entirely too easy. His thoughts flashed back to his earlier training, of an ambush that Dumbledore had arraigned to prove a point. "Get ready," he murmured to the girls beside him as he pointed his wand up the stairs, "ACCIO CLOAKS." Suddenly four new figures were visible at the top of the stairs as, four invisibility cloaks came sailing down the stairs towards him.

"STUPEFY" Harry and the two girls said at once and three of the four dropped instantly. The fourth looked at Harry, dumbfounded for a second, Harry grinned, "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS" and the fourth froze into a full body bind. Harry sprinted up the stairs and shot four more random stunners at the top of the stairs at the opposite end of the second floor hallway. Two more thumps were heard, and as Harry summoned their cloaks too, he saw that two more "Death Eaters" were taking a nap.

Unfortunately he missed the cracked door of one of the two, second floor bedrooms, and the wand sticking out just an inch. In a flash of red light, Luna fell to the floor, Shit Harry snapped to himself, only to watch the door shatter into a million pieces as Neville's Reductor curse almost vaporized it. Neville and Ron sprinted into the room, and Harry heard two more shouted stunners as he and Hermione looked the other room over.

"Harry in here" was heard in a stage whisper from the other room, and he ran over from were he and Hermione were standing out of sight at the base of the stairs that led to the third floor and their objective. Running into the room, Harry saw what Ron meant, Mad-Eye was laying on his back looking a little dazed from the explosion that had knocked the bedroom door down. Harry smiled down at him grimly, and pointing his wand, "sorry Mad-Eye, ever vigilant you know, STUPEFY" He had the satisfaction of seeing Moody grin at him before he was knocked out.

"Let's go" Harry snapped to the other two and ran to where Hermione and Ginny were guarding the stairs. He saw with satisfaction that one of them had pulled Luna into the unoccupied bedroom. "Ok," he whispered to the others, not taking his eyes off the stairs, "by my count that's fourteen of them, there are supposed to be only twenty, but I don't really believe that, do you?" Harry asked to the other four and got identical looks of agreement. "Me either" he glanced up the stairs and tried to peer though the open door, but could see nothing in the gloom. Looking around he spotted a more or less round piece of rumble, and he picked it up. "Let's see if that book was any good" he muttered to himself, touching his wand to the piece of refuse, "REDUCTO DELAYUS MOMENTA" The rock, or piece of brick glowed a bright red, then dimmed, it started pulsing as if counting down. Harry flipped the rock to Ginny, "you're the Chaser" and pointed at the door.

Crazy bugger, Ginny thought madly and hurled the rock though the open door at the top of the stairs, just like a Quaffle though the center ring. Harry held up five fingers, then four...three...two...one...BOOM. The rock detonated, shaking the house and causing plaster to fall over them. Harry sprinted up the stairs followed by the other four, only to find an apparently empty room, just to be sure, Harry and Ron cast summoning charms over the room, looking for more cloaks but none came. The crystal orb, sat in the center of the room, waiting for them to take it, which Ginny did with a flash of triumph.

"Cool bang" Ron said, gleefully.

"Yeah wasn't it?" Harry quipped, equally amused.

It was pretty cool...wait, damn, "Harry" Hermione glared at them and they guiltily shut up. "We are working here, boys" Yep my boys are back She thought happily to herself, at the proof that their animosity of last June was finally totally gone. Hermione glanced around the room again and rolled her eyes. "You know this means that they are waiting for us on the way out?"

"Yeah," Both Harry and Ron muttered exasperatedly at the same time, bringing a quick, fleeting grin to her face. Harry turned to Ron and smiled, "any ideas O' master of games?"

"Run like little girls screaming into the night?" Ron replied quickly, to cringe at the looks of the female part of the team, he quickly corrected himself, "Unhh, if this were a chess match, I'd go for misdirection, I'd make them look one way, while I snuck around the other."

"Yeah," Harry breathed as he thought quickly of how to do just that little thing. Then with a flash, a smile came to his face. "Here's what we do, Ron, you grab Luna and carry her, Gin you keep a hold of the sphere, and..."

*****Several Minutes Later*****

"You sure this will work?" Ron asked in a hush, from the invisibility cloak next to Harry's. Harry for his part didn't answer, since this was his brilliant plan he took the most difficult part. He had taken Ron's stratagem and came up with the idea of letting the six or so Order members, which might very well include Dumbledore, see what they thought they would see, five figures, in the Order's cloaks, hurrying through the woods to the exit point with the biggest one carrying another smaller figure on his back. He was currently struggling to hold Bill, with Tonks tied to his back, in a Locomotor Mortis charm and have him seem to dodge from tree to tree as if trying to stay under cover. The others, except Ron, were using their wands to levitate four more bodies: Charlie, the twins and Sharon Fredricks, an Auror friend of Tonks' that she had recruited. Tonight she was playing the part of Hermione. What worried Harry was the people that they knew they hadn't seen yet; by the fact they hadn't been stunned in the house, namely, Dumbledore, Lupin, Kingsley, or any of the professors. Harry looked up, as they were a hundred yards from the goal, right at the tree line of the clearing.

Suddenly bolts of red light flashed without any warning whatsoever, from seemingly out of the air over to one side. As planned, the five levitating the unconscious forms of the Order members let them drop to the ground as if they had been stunned, just now. Damn, they are going to have a headache, Harry thought with a touch of guilt as he glanced over at Tonks, who was lying on top of Bill, both, now having been stunned twice. Harry ran straight out away from the scene to one side then straight at the clearing. The only problem with this plan had been that Dumbledore, like Moody could probably see people under invisibility cloaks, so they had to be away from where he was looking as soon as they could.

Harry stopped and looked back at where the "bodies" lay in the grass just inside the tree line. His suspicions were confirmed as Remus swept off a cloak and ran to the downed people, his wand already raised. As Harry watched, Kingsley, McGonagall, Snape, and Flitwick swept off invisibility cloaks and went to follow. After a moment, Harry witnessed what he had suspected, he watched Dumbledore fade into view, as he strode quickly over to the scene. Without having to actually see her, he knew Hermione had just tucked in next to him, she also, finding him unconsciously.

At the treeline, Lupin bent over Tonks, and pulled back her hood. He stared at the pink hair for a long minute. "HARRY," he bellowed in an odd mix of annoyance and mirth. Dumbledore spun on his heel and stared at the seemingly empty clearing, then started chuckling softly.

Harry swept off his cloak and waved at the Order members in the woods, the rest of his team following a second later. They all waved too, happy as clams.

"Harry" Hermione said with a fake whine and a twinkle in her eye, loud enough to carry to the Order members in the trees. "I'm hungry can we get breakfast now?"

"I don't know hun; Ron do you think your mum will have breakfast on?" Harry said loudly, choking down a laugh.

"I'm sure she could make something mate." Ron returned, not even trying to keep from laughing.

"Well bloody hell, lets go" With a final wave and five quick CRACKs, the five conscious team members and Luna disapparated to Grimmauld Place.

Back in the trees, Dumbledore waved his wand over the group on the ground, "Enervate". The crowd on the ground moaned and awoke, though no one got up yet.

Lupin leaned close into Tonks, "Ok, Nymph?" his voice concerned.

"Fine luv, head just kills me is all," She griped as she looked up at him.

Mad-Eye Moody clumped up from the house; the Order member that had been full body bound had finally managed to free himself, and had revived the rest of the house. His eye spinning wildly, he came up to Dumbledore and McGonagall where they were standing away from the rest. "Well Alastor?" Dumbledore asked with barely repressed mirth.

"Blimey lad went through us like shit through a goose. I stunned Lovegood myself, but I think that was the only casualty they took at all." Moody grimaced and took a drink from a flash he pulled out of a coat pocket. "Kids blew up a door in my face for my troubles. They showed good tactics and Harry saw right though the cloak ambush. Heck those kids probably performed today better than the older Order folks we had here, I might have to rethink who needs training." Moody looked pensive at the thought, "how did they make it past you, Albus?"

Dumbledore laughed, while McGonagall looked a little disgusted, "They dressed Tonks and the those others in their cloaks, and took your group's invisibility cloaks. They then hid under the cloaks and Locomotor Mortised the 'corpses' as if they were alive, we stunned the fakes again, while they ran around us to the clearing, and started discussing breakfast, loudly." As if to prove a point Dumbledore's own stomach chose that moment to growl. "And I think I will join them, anyone else?" Without a sound Dumbledore vanished, his Order medallion allowing him to apparate directly to Grimmauld Place.

************************Grimmauld Place, Parlor***************************

10:00am

"And Harry here, picks this rock up, and puts a really brilliant delayed Reducto curse on it. He hands it to Ginny and says, and I quote, 'you're the Chaser,'" Ron laughed as he related the exercise to Arthur, who laughed heartily then shut up abruptly at a sudden scowl from Molly. Determinately not looking at his mother, Ron reached out and grabbed another sandwich from the pile on the coffee table. Molly had whipped up a quick 'snack' when they got back, muttering all the while about headmasters that made their students get up at insane hours and not even feed them. With an annoyed sigh, she wandered off, back into the kitchen.

Arthur glanced at the door, then in a soft tone, "What then" like a little kid with a bedtime story.

Ginny ignored her mum, and took up the story, "So I toss this enchanted rock up the stairs and Harry stands there counting down on his fingers from five, and doesn't even flinch when the thing goes off, dropping plaster everywhere, even coating his hair. Everything except his glasses, which stayed perfectly clean."

"Mione put a impervious charm on them" Harry muttered from the other couch, Hermione just turned on his lap and kissed his cheek.

"Any left?" A deep voice asked from the hall door. Albus Dumbledore stood leaning on the doorframe, still in his field gear from this morning.

"Sure Professor come on in," Harry said to Dumbledore waving him in.

"Please, Ginny don't stop on my account" Dumbledore said, eye sparkling with mirth as he summoned a sandwich with a flick of his wand.

Ginny nodded and a corner of her mouth flipped up, "and so we all sprint up stairs only to find no one there. So we're all shocked that no one bothered to guard the damn thing and these two start going on about how cool a bang that reducto of Harry's was, until Hermione over there gets on to their case." as she waved in the trio's general direction.

"Honesty, I was just saying that we were working, Gin, I did think it was cool" Hermione replied a little defensively, to which Harry silently reassured her.

"Anyway Harry, it's your show now" Ginny finished.

"Harry?" Arthur asked still hanging on their words.

Harry glanced about apprehensively oh hell screw it. Harry's lips curled up, and he picked up the story to finish, "So I'm up there, Luna's kipped out, and we know that Dumbledore and the rest of the Order are waiting for us between the house and the disapparation point, so I ask Ron for advice, and after a asinine comment that about got him hexed..."

"I said I was sorry," Ron muttered, as Hermione, Ginny and Luna, who had been told after she was enervated, all glared at him.

"Ron said I'd go for misdirection. So I look around for a sec, and decide to give them what they expect to see. We all grab invisibility cloaks, and Ron picks up Luna and we all Locomotored Bill with Tonks tied to his back to simulate Luna, and Charlie, and the twins and some Auror, from under our cloaks. We moved them back and forth like they were running to the clearing, and we had put our Order cloaks on them so they looked like us. We were about one hundred yards from the exit point when Dumbledore, Lupin and the others stunned the bodies, which we all drop when they're hit just like we planned, and sprinted outward then straight to the clearing, so the Professor there couldn't see us until too late. We are all standing there in the middle of the safe zone, in the cloaks still, as Lupin goes up to Tonks and pulls back her hood, and finds her instead of Luna. He got all prissy. The Professor meanwhile had turned around and saw us under the cloak, and he started laughing and we went with it. Mione brought up breakfast, loudly, and we apparated back here." Harry finished with a grin.

"Bloody Brilliant" Arthur said brightly, then "as much as I enjoyed the story and the company, I have to get back to the Ministry before my minders find that I am gone from my office." Arthur Weasley walked quickly over to the fireplace, and with a final wave said, "Minister of Magic's London Office" and vanished in a ball of green flame.

"Harry, all of you" Dumbledore said looking at each of them in turn, suddenly serious, "you did very well today, I am proud of you."

************************12 Grimmauld Place, London************************

August 26, 2005
2:23 am

Harry carefully eased the door shut, brushing Crookshanks into his room with his foot as he did. Before the door closed, he saw the half-kneazle give him a glare before he curled up at his mistress' feet on Harry's bed. The soft click of the latch echoed as Harry murmured a silencing charm on his steps and headed down the stairs to the basement and the kitchen. Easing over to the icebox, Harry carefully took a pitcher of milk from it and poured himself a glass.

But before he could replace it, a sudden scrape of wood on wood echoed in the room behind him. The pitcher fell, shattering on the tile floor; milk splattering as Harry spun; the tip of his wand already glowing. "Bugger...sorry, Molly." Harry murmured, sheepishly. "I'm sorry, didn't see you about."

"Obviously..." Molly said with a curious air. "Couldn't sleep, eh?" She asked as she leaned forward into the light. She was sitting on the opposite end of the large kitchen table, with her hands joined before her on the table.

"Umm, no, not really, I was thirsty." Harry replied, more or less truthfully.

"Sure its not another nightmare, would you rather I go up to Hermione's room and get her?" Molly asked with a crooked eyebrow and Harry finally understood what she was getting at.

Carefully Harry set his glass down on the table and sat down facing Molly. He looked down at the table for a moment before looking back at her, "No, Molly I'd rather you leave her be, she deserves to sleep as well."

"Sleep is it?" Molly replied mildly, too mildly.

Harry gnashed his teeth for a moment, "Yes, Molly, sleep...and even if it wasn't it honestly is not any of your business, this is my house, both of us are adults and neither of us are your children." Harry instantly regretted his last comment as he saw Molly flinch in the candlelight. "I'm sorry Molly that was not called for...you know that I consider you as much a mother as any I've had." Harry quickly corrected himself and heard Molly poorly conceal an odd sniff.

Molly got up and walked over to Harry, in response he rose and stood looking down at her, he was now taller than her by several-inches. "Harry, its not seemly, its not something wizards do..."

"Ohh Bullocks," Harry snorted, "please Molly," He sputtered and after a minute she nodded in sullen agreement, her argument was false anyway.

"Its just that, I don't want to see you get hurt Harry, and you both are so young..." Molly muttered pleadingly. She placed her hands on Harry's shoulders.

With a slight snarl, he twisted away, "Molly, she is the only thing that has kept me sane since Sirius died...and she has been sleeping, sleeping only mind you, with me off and on for a long time, longer than we have admitted that we were in love with each other...yes she keeps the nightmares at bay, mostly and I'd like to think I fight hers as well." Molly gasped, and Harry gave her a tiny, sad smile, "Yeah...mum, we knew for sure last Christmas at the Burrow, but we probably knew last year at this time..." Harry snorted softly, "actually if I wasn't so thick, I probably knew about the time she hugged me when we went for the Stone in my first year." Molly nodded as Harry forgot his drink and headed back for the door, "please...Molly drop this, we are not going to change, and I guarantee that if it comes down to a choice between her and anyone else, its her, no questions, no debate." With that, Harry left the room, the door swinging after him, a sudden silence in the room.




A/N there ya go, Chapter 5 of Lions in the new, improved Portkey/Directors Cut. And if anyone knows what the html tags are for colors let me know. Is the tag for say blue text ? or what. Thanks

Built by Text2Html

6. Reflections and Pain

Disclaimer: Rowling still owns this univerise, otherwise I'd have that 11foot plasma they showed at CES.
A/N: This chapter is dark, sorry. For future notice, as per my normal practice, thoughts are italicized. Also to distinguish, the main four characters have their own colors of italics. Red for Dumbledore, Blue for Hermione, Green for Voldemort (not in this chapter) and standard black for Harry and everyone else actually.


Chapter 6 Reflections and Pain.

********************12 Grimmauld Place London*****************

August 31, 2005
3:05pm

It had been several weeks since the confrontation with Draco in the streets of Diagon Alley. Most everyone in the house would be returning to Hogwarts in the morning and while the house was much more inviting than in Sirius' day it was still stifling. And there had been no real relief from the confinement; Dumbledore had imposed a strict ban on the younger members of the Order traveling outside the security of the headquarters except for training of course. He had even gone as far as only letting Dobby go out to get food.

As a result, the under twenty crowd had been champing at the bit to go out and do something, anything so long as it was away from this house. For too long their only relief from the boredom had been either their endless training to meet their destiny or to support the one who must and soon, or the endless summer reading list from Hogwarts in preparation for what for most of them would be their final year; by now even Hermione had gotten tired of the books.

Even the slightly older pair of Lupin and Tonks, while obviously enjoying each other's company was showing signs of the strain as they had been confined along with the teens to provide additional protection. The older members of the Order had also been keeping a lower profile than usual, but their various other roles in society or for the Order, such as his and the other professors' roles at Hogwarts or Arthur's obvious responsibility as Minister of Magic precluded them from totally dropping out of sight.

At least the others and myself are well protected. Dumbledore thought to himself as he watched Harry and Ron play chess, Harry was loosing badly as usual to the boy that if he were a muggle would probably be considered a protégée in the game. The Ministry and Hogwarts may both be known to Riddle and his minions; but their defenses are substantial. Also, to be honest Riddle must have deduced by now that he must destroy the younger generation to even have a chance at destroying Harry, and conquering us all. They should prove, in the end, to be the greater threat to his plans. And he must also surely know that if he were to attack either or both Hogwarts or the Ministry, the war would be in the open for all to see.

Dumbledore sighed softly as he watched one of Ron's knights decapitate one of Harry's pawns. The attack on Hogsmeade last June was disastrous for both sides, and the Ministry was able to suppress the results somewhat, though the losses were grievous. If he directs action against the school, he risks being caught in it's ancient defenses, and the Ministry since Arthur took over from that fool Fudge keeps enough Aurors on site at all times to repel an army.

He took a sip of tea, from a mug at his side as he paused in his reflections. Actually that might be our greatest vulnerability, in that because of the losses in the Auror ranks, a significant portion of their remaining strength is tied up at the Ministry in its defense. Still it has been some weeks since Harry encountered Malfoy, and there has been nothing, except the skirmishes that have become normal in this war, it should be safe enough for quick trips out, and I had to let most of them out for air. I only wish I could have let Harry go with Hermione; it nearly broke my heart to see their expressions when I said he couldn't go.

Dumbledore's thoughts flashed back to a scene on the lawn of Hogwarts several months prior, of the comatose body of his former Divination professor. But after Riddle may or may not have gotten the Prophesy from Trelwany in the confusion after Hogsmeade, she was too far-gone to tell when we found her dumped... Tonks had to almost carry Hermione out, and that was to take a sixteen-year-old girl shopping. There was no one here who was foolish or brave enough to drag Ron away from Harry, especially now that they have rectified their differences, even though for once neither was in trouble, though in effect I grounded him like he was eleven again and just starting school.

At that moment a vision of a small malnourished black-haired boy crossed his mind's eye. The boy was standing slightly stunned at the doors of the Great Hall, looking around with an astonished air as he saw the wonders of Hogwarts for the first time. Flashing forward several months in time, memories flooded in of the same boy laying unconscious in the now infamous 'Harry Potter' bed after the first time he had faced his destiny and emerged victorious, and of two others, a bushy-haired girl and a fire-haired boy sitting on the adjoining beds waiting impatiently for him to awake, the girl somewhat self-consciously touching his hand or hair, when she thought the red-haired lad wasn't looking.

Harry, when I saw you come in that door with Minerva and Rebeus, alive and more or less well, my heart woke up from a nightmare it had had since James and Lily died. I so wish I could have admitted the truth and taken you in myself, but the risk to both of us was far too great. I am so proud of you boy, in the years at Hogwarts, you have been subjected to more than any being should have to take. You have fought evil in its most base forms and triumphed, and you have found courage, friendship and love in the darkest of times.

************Several hours earlier***************

"But Professor Dumbledore, sir, can't Harry come with Tonks and I, please?" Hermione pleaded. "I mean you can't be blaming him for what happened with Malfoy still. He didn't start that he was just defending me." Her eyes challenged him to disagree with her statement.

Sighing, he didn't disagree, "No Hermione, I'm afraid that has nothing to do with it except as to show that I probably shouldn't have let you go in the first place, as past history has proven, I would have forgiven Harry by now if I were mad at him, " Dumbledore replied with a slight smile. "I'm afraid that the danger is too great, even with capable friends such as yourself and Nymphadora along. Riddle will stop at nothing to destroy Harry and it might be too great a temptation for him to strike where Harry would not be able to defend himself fully due to innocents about." Dumbledore gave a slight shrug at the reason.

"Then I'm staying, Ron's staying!" She replied in an annoyed tone, plopped down next to Harry on the couch, and settled in resolutely.

Harry turned his torso enough to look into her face, "Mione, please, go you need to get out. I have already had this argument this morning with the Professor, and I lost." Harry stated in a tone that started to match hers, and then he went on softly. "Love, go get out, you still haven't had time to buy any muggle clothes for this fall, and you haven't seen your parents since you came and freed me. You have been here helping at the headquarters. Go have fun, here," he dug in his pocket and found some muggle money. "Pick me up some clothes too, I can't buy any when I live with the Dursleys, as they would find out I have money of my own. I guess they think Hogwarts is free," He said with a slightly quizzical expression.

"Ok" she responded with a sigh, and went up to her room to get her purse, not quite stomping up the old wooden stairs to the second floor landing as she went.

After she left, Harry whispered to Tonks "She likes to shop for me, it makes her happy at least."

Tonks responded to Harry's comment with a sly wink as Hermione came back down with her stuff in a small backpack purse, just big enough to hold some money, a wand and a few essentials. She walked over to Harry and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "We'll be back before supper." Hermione said to Harry, and with a nod to Tonks, they both disapparated with a CRACK.

************Back in the Present, #12 Grimmauld Place****************
3:07pm

"Professor, what's wrong, you're staring off into space," Ron asked looking up from the game, where as usual he was destroying Harry utterly.

"Nothing Ronald, just the random thoughts of an old man" Dumbledore responded distractedly, Hmmm, that's odd for a moment, it seemed like I felt the presence of a homing charm. But, that's impossible, the only ones here are myself, Ron and Harry, and none of us have done any magic or had need to, did anything come in? Did we get any mail today? "Did we get the Daily Prophet today, boys?"

"Yeah, Professor it's in the kitchen, Neville was all excited about the add for fetching collars for your pets, it's supposed to bring them back when you lose them. He and Ginny and Luna went to the pet store in Diagon alley to buy two for Trevor. I think Moody was escorting them." Harry replied distractedly as he watched the tiny horse of one of Ron's knights trample one of his bishops.

"Yes, I remember now, thank ........." Dumbledore broke off in mid-sentence.

A crash was heard from the kitchen along with the sound of several CRACKs of apparating people. Almost at the same time, all three of the wizards felt their medallions start to vibrate strongly. Harry had time to exclaim "Hermione", his heart in his throat, and then..........

************Granger Family Home, Canton England************
2:58pm

"Thanks for going shopping with me Tonks, I appreciate it", said Hermoine over her shoulder to the pink-haired witch that followed her into her childhood home, tossing a shoe store box onto the couch. "I needed an outfit for Bill's wedding anyway."

"You're welcome, and anyway shopping is my third favorite sport after Quiddich and the one you got that equipment for at that muggle shop what was that place called, something secret? And speaking of that have you and Harry..." Tonks replied with a twinkle in her eye that she must have learned from Dumbledore.

Hermione turned slightly red, and shot Tonks an exact replica of McGonagall's patented glare. "Honestly Tonks.... That's none of your damn business, and shut up, my parents could walk-in at any second." She paused and looked around the room, closing the door they had used to enter from the back yard into the house. "Actually where are my parents, they should be here?" Hermione started to walk into the kitchen, "Mum? Dad? Anyone home?" As she looked down the hallway to the first floor rooms, she suddenly saw a mass of brown hair lying on the floor visible through an open doorway to the downstairs bedroom. A lump in her throat, "MUM!"

"Hello mudblood." An aristocratic drawl came from behind the two witches, very similar to Draco's but years older.

The two witches turned, slowly, to see Lucius Malfoy leaning arrogantly on a doorsill. Through the open door, which led to Hermione's father's study, she could see the body of her father slumped over his desk, every trinket and gadget that had once occupied his desk was shattered, the monitor to his computer was smashed, the phone in a million pieces, but the fact that her father was obviously dead, and dead horribly, caused her heart to turn to ice, her family was gone. Looking around the room, she saw Death Eaters appearing as if out of the woodwork, eventually almost twenty crowded into the house, around the room and on the stairs.

Malfoy sneered and levered himself up, walking over to Hermione, he traced a finger down the line of her jaw. She jerked back away from his touch and he laughed, "I see why Potter likes you so much, your sprit matches his so well" He turned to the stairs and addressed a Death Eater there, "Kill them both, but have fun doing it. But not too much fun, eh Hamilton?" He walked to the door, but as he left, "Leave Potter a message that he will never forget" With a final soft laugh he walked out the door, obviously going to get outside of the anti-apparation wards of the house.

Hermione glanced toward the hall down which her mother lay, and flicked her eyes towards the study door. While a distant part of her heart wanted to go to them, she knew instinctively that it was far too late. She could feel Tonks shift nervously behind her trying to make an opening to get to her wand, but Hermione knew that that too would be impossible. She dropped her eyes to the carpet for a moment, as if waiting for the end.

The Death Eater that Malfoy had spoken to, said with a leer so obvious that it was evident even with the mask hiding his face, "What Lucius doesn't know won't hurt him, and its always more fun to kill them afterwards than just oblivate them, anyone got some rope?" Hamilton laughed in a way that sent a chill down Tonk's hardened Auror spine.

We're dead; there isn't a way, not this time Hermione thought sadly, her thoughts flying to Harry. OH YES THERE IS, MIONE, a voice screamed in her head in Harry's exact tone. A feeling of raw power filled her at the thought; her eyes, unseen to the Death Eaters, started glowing a bright blue. With a thought sent out to the ether, I love you, Harry, her head snapped up. The closest Death Eater gasped, for instead of her death he saw in her eyes for a fleeting instant, his own.

As Harry had first done at Hogsmeade, with a wave of her hand, several Death Eaters, flew though the air, two though the plaster walls with a pair of sickening cracks. Time slowed, she seemingly had all the time in the world to reach into her pack, grab her wand and send stunners at three more Death Eaters who crumpled simultaneously to the floor. Dimly behind her she could feel Tonks running with her to the door they had come in, and sensed her fire off her own stunner.

"REDUCTO" a bellowed curse hit the heavy table next to Tonks, causing a huge chunk of wood to smash her arm, while a smaller fragment skipped off her forehead, opening a large gash. Hermione grabbed her and with an unnatural strength, tossed Tonks out the door onto the lawn. They ran to get enough distance to disapparate, dodging constantly a storm of red, yellow, silver and green spell bolts. Finally as they got to the edge of the wards protecting the house, in a red flash of light, Hermione fell onto Tonks, her dead weight pulling at Tonks' broken arm.

Tonks took a deep breath from the pain; looking back at the house she saw the putrid green skull of death floating in the sky. Tonks grabbed Hermione tightly with her good arm, and gingerly touching her phoenix medallion with her bad one, she disapparated away, to howls of anger from the chasing Death Eaters and a cloud of spells passing though where they had been a bare instant before.

****************The Burrow********************

The Burrow was currently a pretty happy place. Bill Weasley was to be married to his girlfriend of two years, Fleur Delacour, this weekend and the place was a hive of activity. Most of the kids and Arthur were wisely at the Order headquarters or out battling evil wizards or anything to get out of Molly's sight before they get something to do. Percy, unfortunately for him, wasn't as wise as his brothers or sister or even the Weasley's more or less adopted children Harry and Hermione.

"PERCY WEASLEY, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MADE UP WITH YOUR FATHER AND ME DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU GET OUT OF YOUR WORK FOR BILL"S WEDDING! GET DOWN HERE AND HELP" Molly Weasley yelled up the stairs to her third oldest son.

"Mum, I was up all night at the Ministry and then I had to take messages to the Order and...." Percy replied exhaustedly down the stairs not leaving his room.

"Just because a Dark Wizard is on the prowl, doesn't get you excused. I even just sent your owl to Harry and Ron to take them their list of things to do. I have to get flowers, and pick up Fleur from the Floo terminal, and then fit her dress and make sure you boys don't pant all over the bride to be." Molly replied hurriedly. "You should be happy there is some joy at this time" She stood at the base of the stairs her hands on her hips, glaring up them.

"Mum" Percy replied exasperatedly to Molly.

"PERCY" She was just warming up, if Percy didn't come out soon, she would drag him out by his ears.

Percy had survived twenty years with his mother, he knew when to throw in the towel, "Ok I'm on the way down, mum." He gave up and headed to where his mother stood.

"Ok mum, where is my list?" He asked as he walked down the stairs to stand beside his mother. His hands were in his pockets; his shoulders slightly slumped as in defeat.

Molly turned from the stairs to go to a desk over in the corner of the room, She scribbled an address down and handed the note to Percy. "First you have to go get yours, Harry's and rest of your brothers' dress robes for the ceremony from the fitters, that should take an hour and then get back here straight away" She stood with her hands on her hips, a glint in her eye.

CRACK, the sound of apparation echoed out on the lawn, but even as Molly and Percy reached for their wands, it was already too late.

"AVADA KEDAVRA" A green bolt of light struck Percy precisely in the center of his back.

"CRUCIO" a second spell, a hateful yellow this time, struck Molly in the side, she screamed and fell to the floor.

Percy, hit from behind with the killing curse, fell dead instantly. Molly lay writhing in pain on the floor. A soft tread, approached her head, but she couldn't turn to see who it was through the pain.

"Tell Dumbledore he can no longer protect his own" A hate filled, French-accented female voice snarled to Molly.

With that, one of the two Death Eaters who had ambushed the Weasleys raised their wand and muttered an incantation, a green skull with a serpent coming out of the mouth appeared over the burrow, and laughing, they both disapparated out.

Seconds later Bill and Fleur apparated in on the lawn. Seeing the Death Mark over the house and the bodies of the two Aurors that were supposed to be watching the house lying dead on the lawn, their throats slit, they ran into the house, their wands raised and ready. Fleur screamed as she saw the body of Percy, and Bill seeing his mother on the ground yelled "FINIETE" canceling the curse Bellatrix had placed on her.

"Ohhh GOD BILL, PERCY, HE'S HE'S" Molly screamed and then broke off sobbing as her gaze found her dead son again.

****************Grimmauld place*******************

Dumbledore, Harry and Ron grabbed their wands. The Death Eaters that have entered Grimmauld Place have made one mistake. Since they had to apparate in blind by using the locating charm hidden on the paper they didn't know where they would appear. As they didn't appear instantly in the same room as the three Order members, a crucial few extra seconds were the defenders to use. And that was all the time the three wizards would need, especially as two of Voldemort's greatest foes were among their numbers.

Dumbledore raised his wand and muttered" Protego Maxima" and a golden bubble appeared around the three.

At the same time Harry incanted "Appero Sword" and the sword of Gryffindor appeared in his hand ready to do battle. Harry for a brief moment, wavered in his determination, then out of the very air, a thought, not his own but heart-achingly familiar was "heard," I love you Harry. The desperate tone of Hermione's thought drowned out any sense of wonder at the communication, and the die was cast, both here and many miles away in Canton. I'm coming Hermione, he replied in his thoughts and with a deep, shuddering breath a feeling of power filled him, and as his eyes lit up, the counter color to Voldemort's own, time stood still.

It had been many years since the sword first filled his hand in combat against the basilisk, and after constant training for the last year in the art of the sword from Alastor Moody and Albus Dumbledore, along with the native powers of the sword and Harry's own the battle was over almost before it began.

Brent Smythe, a rather low level wizard who had gone over to the dark late last year, rushed into the room confidently, too confidently it turned out, as in a flash of steel, his mission was suddenly rather unimportant, to him anyway.

Normally Harry would have used a spell to incapacitate or stun, however the instant he felt the medallions start to vibrate, and the flash from Hermione in his thoughts, he pushed aside any thought of mercy for the sake of pure expedience. In a rush another pair of Death Eaters charged into the parlor, only to quickly meet a similar fate, the first slightly ahead of the other spun to his right, right to where Harry was waiting. With a vicious slash, Harry opened his chest from hip to opposite shoulder. The third Death Eater glanced over in horror, only to find himself pulled inexplicitly onto the return stroke of Harry's sword by the wand in Harry's left hand.

Ron froze the next Death Eater, an old friend of Lucius Malfoy's, instantly, as he ran into the room. Ron's full body bind hit him in mid stride and he tumbled into the room, breaking a coffee table next to Harry. With a twirl of the sword, spraying blood everywhere, Harry felled the next through the door, and stunned the last to brave that portal with his off-hand wand.

In the kitchen, the final three Death Eaters were now trapped. Where only a few seconds ago, they had felt confident in smashing the hated Order from ambush in their own den, they were now panicked. Their leader, Mason Snestra had joined the Death Eaters as he thought it a way to power, but now he knew it had led him to ruin. He raised his wand shakily and pointed it at the door leading to the hallway and the parlor beyond.

"Stay here" Dumbledore commanded thunderously to Harry and Ron. He strode into the kitchen where the last of the DEs were hiding like an Olympian of old going to dispense justice.

As Dumbledore came into the room Mason cried "Avada", but before he could get the killing curse out Dumbledore responded with a bellowed "REDUCTO" and the curse blew the Death Eater though the panty wall. Dumbledore wasn't pulling any punches either. He turned back even as plaster was still falling from the ceiling, he didn't bother checking on the Death Eater, he was dead or unconscious, and in truth it didn't matter to Dumbledore right now. The other two Death Eaters were paler than the tablecloth on the table, in a twirl of his robes, Dumbledore vanished, only to reappear seconds later behind them, as they slowly collapsed to the ground.

Dumbledore hurried back into the parlor where Harry was chomping at the bit to go to Hermione. "Professor I heard Hermione cry out in my head, and the medals went off, I have to go...." Harry said, with an expression that told Dumbledore, he would be going with or without him and very soon. Harry's eyes were back to normal, but Dumbledore could feel the energy gathering, as Harry instinctively readied himself for the jump to Hermione's side.

Dumbledore had no intention of abandoning Hermione, but this was a war and some things had to come first. "We will go together as soon as we confirm the house is clear. We stay together now." Quickly the three searched the house for any more Death Eaters, finding none they hurried back down to the kitchen where Dumbledore ignited the charmed Daily Prophet, destroying the locator charm, and protecting the anti-location wards around the house. Once again locking that door to those who did not possess the Phoenix credentials.

The sound of the front door opening and slamming shut boomed out, Harry, Ron and Dumbledore spun to the kitchen door, wands raised only to lower them again, as they saw a friend. Alastor Moody came running in the door, accompanied by Neville, Luna, and a visibly pale Ginny who was slightly shaking and carrying a note clenched in her small fist.

"Albus, the Burrow was attac...." Moody broke off for a second as he noticed the sword that Harry had yet to clean or sheathe, the man shaped hole in the wall to the panty, and the bodies of the two Death Eaters, lying in the kitchen floor. With grim foreboding, he realized that his news was not the only news.

A look of determination on his face, he continued, "The Burrow was attacked; Bill says Molly is on the way to St. Mungo's and Percy, Percy is dead, Albus." He finished in a whisper. Ginny, overhearing the repeat of what she had been hoping was a poor joke of Fred's, fainted dead away, the note from Bill falling from her hand. Ron turned white as a sheet and turned to Harry as if to confirm what Moody had just said; just as yet another loud apparation was heard. All of the standing wizards whirled with their wands ready.

Only to see Tonks shakily standing there with blood dripping down her face from a cut on her forehead and nursing an obviously shattered left arm. In her other arm she struggled to hold both her wand and a unconscious Hermione, who looked to be in even worse shape than she. Utterly spent, Tonks began to slide to the floor; Harry dove to catch the girls before they hit the floor, dropping both his wand and the sword. He managed to catch them both by a cat's hair. At the exact instant Harry caught the girls, the sword hit the floor and rung like a bell tolling for those lost today. Tonks muttered "thanks" and passed out, her task accomplished, her blood turning her pink hair red.

Dumbledore looked at Harry where he was lying on the floor under both Tonks and Hermione, having used his body to cushion their fall. He glanced over at Alastor, as if he were making a heavy decision, which he was. Summoning a pot from the stove, he set it down. "PORTUS" the pot flashed blue and shook for a few seconds then settled back down. "Harry, take the portkey and get Hermione, Tonks, and the Weasleys to Hogwarts, the portkey will take you to the infirmary. Inform Minerva when you arrive what has happened and send Lupin back here to help Alastor get your things. I doubt there will be another attack, however I will take steps to assure it as soon as I can get to Hogwarts."

"Where are you going?" Harry asked from the floor, where he held Hermione as if her life and his sanity depended on it. With a wave of his retrieved wand he summoned the sword and the portkey to him. The rest of the people Dumbledore had just named came over to jump out with Harry, Ron carrying his tiny sister.

"I'm going to tell Arthur that his wife has been attacked and that one of his sons is dead." Dumbledore said grimly and vanished.




A/N: Ok, this chapter was probably the hardest to write in the entire story. I at times almost went back and undid it, however they were necessary. Unfortunately these won't be the last lights the side of the angels will loose, nor will they go unavenged.


Built by Text2Html

7. Aftermath

Chapter 7: Aftermath
*****************************Hogwarts**********************************
August 31, 2005
8:45pm

The members of the Order that had escaped the day's ordeal, at least physically whole anyway, evacuated everyone and most everything to Hogwarts. Both Harry and Dumbledore were literally radiating energy, making the small hairs of the other magic users present stand on end. In the end it was decided that Hogwarts was the safest site that could be found, and hence that was were they had gone.

The faculty of Hogwarts, along with a mostly repaired Tonks, Moody, Lupin, Fred, George and Bill were waiting in a muted Headmasters office for Harry to return from Gryffindor tower, where he had gone to check up on Hermione and Ginny. The gadgets were silent, and the portraits, who normally with this many people in the room would either be yelling unwanted advice, or else feigning sleep to listen into a conversion, were now all awake, but curiously quiet waiting for an accounting of today's events. Even Severus Snape was quiet as if even he didn't have the heart to make a snide comment on this day. The Weasleys were even paler than their normally fair skin, but were holding up well for the moment. Remus was standing over Tonks, who was sitting down in one of Dumbledore's overstuffed chairs before his desk. His hands were on Tonks' shoulders and one of hers was on top of his.

Harry and Ron entered the room accompanied by the grinding of the Dumbledore's guardian stone gargoyle as it settled back into the doorway of the office stairs. Ron looked sallow as he crossed to sit with his brothers, almost falling into the seat between Fred and George.

"Hermione and Ginny are in bed," Harry stated without preamble to the room as he tiredly took a seat, perching on the edge of Dumbledore's desk. The Headmaster was sitting behind the great oaken edifice with his long fingers steepled together, surveying the gathered members. "Luna is with them, I felt it best that they be together instead of taking Mione on up to the Head Girl's room."

"Quite right Harry" Dumbledore turned reluctantly to Tonks. "Nymphadora, now that you are whole, more or less, please give us a report." He leaned back in his chair, looking over the top of his half-moons at her.

Her eyes downcast, Tonks started her report. "We apparated into the back yard as the wards on the house prevented our popping into the house itself. We walked into the front room and then into the kitchen. Hermione was calling for her parents and no one answered. When we walked into the kitchen, as we looked down the hall, we could see Hermione's mum lying unmoving on the floor in the downstairs bedroom." She hesitated to catch her breath and with a reassuring squeeze from Lupin she continued. "Before we could do anything we were surrounded by Death Eaters. Albus...Lucius Malfoy was there. I remember he said hello mudblood and then he said something like leave Potter a message and he walked out like it was beneath him to deal with us himself." She paused and met Harry's eyes, "I'm sorry"

Harry's eyes were slightly glowing blue, he took a deep breath and calmed himself and with a blink his eyes had returned to their natural green. He said nothing however, and just motioned for Tonks to continue. "We were both caught flatfooted, neither of us had our wands out, but then Hermione, did a Harry."

"What?" From several folks at once, even though many of the people here had been present when Hermione had performed similarly before. Harry and Dumbledore however remained silent at the news, Dumbledore had expected something like this while Harry had felt the residual energy coming off her so similar to his own as he took her to the tower.

"Yeah," Tonks continued quietly "Her eyes lit up like Harry's do sometimes and she blasted two of the Death Eaters though a wall with a wave of her hand. She stunned three more before I got my wand out even though I never heard the incantation or saw her draw her wand; it was just there. Then I got one with a stunner, I took a reducto and got smashed up. Somehow, we were able to fight our way out of the house and apparate to the mansion. Right as we got clear Hermione got hit; I guess it was only a stunner, cause she just passed out. The Death Mark was over the house, but I don't know if she saw it."

"She did", Harry interjected grimly, flashing back to moments before, remembering all too well the muttering Hermione had uttered in her sleep. His stomach sank at the thought, of what she had been forced to witness.

"Oh bugger," Tonks whispered as she turned a little green.

"Quite right" Dumbledore said, "I have heard from Arthur at St. Mungo's that Molly will be fine physically, though the spirit is harder to heal. This is a dark day indeed, for us all."

"We should hunt them down now" Ron suddenly interjected. "Harry had the right idea at the mansion, cut them down like dogs." He started to get up as to take action, but was jerked back into his seat by George, with a sad shake of his head.

Minerva looked over at her Prefect sadly, "That is what HE wants Mr. Weasley" responded the previously silent McGonagall though she didn't have the heart to glare.

Dumbledore sighed, feeling his age, "Everyone please go to your rooms and get some rest, I have locked down the castle and commanded the defenses to their highest level." That comment by the headmaster was met with raised eyebrows among the staff, for the defenses of Hogwarts at full cry were lethal and had not been brought to that state for hundreds of years. Indeed of all the Professors, only Dumbledore, and in his absence, McGonagall could command such a thing. As the rest of the people present filed out, down the stairs, "Harry, Minerva, please stay a moment." Harry glanced at Lupin and motioned with his head at Ron, Remus silently agreed to help Ron to the tower, and Harry turned back to Dumbledore.

"Harry, two things, first as Head Boy you will need to meet the train at King's Cross tomorrow. Due to today's events, similar to last year's ride home, you are authorized any measures that feel are necessary to help secure the train. However this is not a hunting license, you are not to settle vendettas." Dumbledore finished, looking straight into Harry's eyes, as serious as a heart attack.

"But" Harry replied, for he knew in his heart who was at least partially responsible and that they would be on that train in the morning.

"No Harry, yes his father was one of the ones that killed Hermione's parents, but he was not there." Dumbledore responded evenly, even though in his heart he would have let Harry have his way if he could.

But Harry was not to be cowed, his love had just been attacked and her parents were even now lying dead in the castle infirmary, having been retrieved by a hasty pick up team, composed of himself, Lupin and Alastor. Harry's only conciliation was that the two Death Eaters that had stayed behind at the Grangers would bother no one ever again. "You heard Tonks, it was a message to me. No one else outside of the Order or the Weasleys knew we were together yet." He replied, his eyes dangerous.

Dumbledore replied patiently, though inside he was as torn up as the others, he unfortunately had had more experience at this than Harry or the others including Alastor. "Harry, you two have been in love almost since you met, you just didn't know it, everyone else did. As I was saying, behave; it may have not been him who facilitated that attack. Lupin and Hagrid will also be on the train, but it's your show as they say. Normally Hermione would be there with you, she is of course excused owing to the circumstances. Second, until you leave, don't leave her side, she will need you, now go."

The instant the last was out of his mouth he knew that that had been unneeded, there would be no power existent that would keep Harry from her side this night, much less the wards on the girls tower dorm, where Hermione was staying the night in lue of the Head student's suite that she would share with Harry for the rest of the year. And only Harry's sense of duty would get him to leave her, for however little a time, to ride the train back from King's Cross as was the duty of the Head Students. The sad fact was that if Hermione was even capable of rational thought when Harry left in the morning, she would demand to go with him, as her sense of responsibility was in it's own way as heavy a burden on her as it was on Harry.

Harry left out the gargoyle stairs, visibly holding himself from breaking into a run until he was out of sight.

Dumbledore watched him until he walked out the door, then continuing to watch the door he addressed the witch next to him out of the side of his mouth, "Minerva, I failed thrice, I should have had the Burrow and the Grangers protected better and I should have not let Hermione go out with only Tonks, and if I did I probably should have let Harry go with her. And if he had gone, Ron would have also been there. If that had been the case, I feel that none of Riddle's thugs would have left that place standing. I doubt even that would have saved the Grangers however; from all reports they were dead at least an hour before Hermione and Nymphadora arrived at the house."

"What about the attack at Grimmauld place? You would have been alone," McGonagall queried thoughtfully.

"Minerva as our students say, Please. They would have fallen just as quick as they did with the three of us, thought I might have left fewer bloodstains on Harry's carpet." Dumbledore turned from the door; rising he walked over to the window and looked out over the dark grounds.

"How did he find the Grangers, they were protected?" McGonagall asked softly, still slightly in shock over the day's events. In some ways this was even harder than the attack at Hogsmeade last year. She had lost students then, several of them, but in many ways the ones that had just left and the ones that even now were up in her house's tower crying or trying fruitlessly to sleep, might as well been her own grandchildren, though she would never admit it to them.

"I'm afraid that it must be the same way the Harry lost his, we have a traitor in our midst. Someone gave up their location and we lost more than Roger and Jane at the house, Harry didn't report it in the meeting, but Alastor and he found Emmeline and Secil dead at the scene as well. Two more members of the old order gone, now." Dumbledore replied, mournfully, his thoughts flashing back to a Halloween night sixteen years ago. With a great sigh he glanced out the window, the night was falling rapidly, just like his emotions. "I did not expect the lengths that Riddle would go to, just to attack Hermione's parents...but we could not afford to keep the level of protection on the Grangers that we had while Hermione was home for the weeks when she was home this summer. We just don't have enough people to cover all the targets adequately. And like chess, the object is to protect the most valuable pieces, sacrifices must be made...in the end, any of us are expendable, except Harry, and perhaps her..." Dumbledore grew silent, while McGonagall regarded him silently, pensive about the revelations Dumbledore had just revealed.

The question about the Grangers had reminded McGonagall of another factor, one that while difficult to discuss, still had to be dealt with. McGonagall had not been at King's Cross last June, but she had heard the tale, and she had heard Tonks' report on the happenings of this afternoon. "What will we do about Granger's new abilities, if she is truly able to perform powerful magic without a wand, like Potter and yourself? In her current state we may truly in trouble if her control slips, after all she nearly killed the Dursleys last June. Additionally, she is the one who keeps Potter under control, whether they know it or not. Without that balance to him, I fear for the safety of some who may stray over the line on their return to school. And what would happen if both were to lose control at the same time?"

Dumbledore just shook his head sadly in response, dropping his eyes to the floor for a long moment. Fawkes flew over from his perch and alighted on his shoulder, softly singing. Dumbledore petted him for a bit then he finally looked up, with a frustrated look in his eyes. "Minerva we both know that Draco Malfoy was probably the one who passed on the new realities between Harry and Hermione to his father and Riddle, but I cannot prove it. You, more than anyone, know how much those two and the Weasleys matter to me, and to you too even though you don't dare admit it out loud. If I could do so, you think he would be coming back to school and not on his way to Azkaban? I want you to talk to the other house heads for me. Impress on them, especially Severus, that we must keep a lid on things. Also have him relate that I am looking for an excuse to expel those who may follow Voldemort. Hopefully this will cause them to draw together so we can more easily identify those who are not involved in Voldemort's cause in Slytherin house."


A/N there ya go, Dumbledore's reaction. Next Chapter the lonely train ride back to school and Hermione's reaction.

Built by Text2Html

8. Tears

Chapter 8: Tears
************Hogwarts Express, Between London and Hogsmeade*****************

September 1, 2005

Harry Potter was patrolling the long crimson train. By all rights this should be been a pleasurable experience as he normally loved the train ride to Hogwarts and the freedom it represented from the Dursleys. This year should have been even greater as he should have had the love of his life walking beside him, doing things like helping first years figure out their robes, unjinx them as they played with their wands for the first time and other mundane tasks.

Instead however, Harry had the prefects of all the houses except Slytherin walking the train looking to head off trouble. And instead of a gorgeous brunette beside him, he had a werewolf, though to be fair to Remus, he was a brunette too. Harry had tried to be fair to the Slytherin prefects, however since two of them were Malfoy and his girlfriend, Pansy, this was truly, truly difficult. After the third muttered "Mudblood Lover" that Harry's enhanced ears caught, he just told them to go sit in the Slytherin cars and not come out until Hogsmeade Station.

"Are you Harry Potter?" A timid first year asked as he passed. The kid threw a quick nervous glance to his fellow compartment mates. Harry could see with fleeting amusement, just how similar the scene looked to his train ride first year, even to the point of having a bushy-haired eleven-year-old girl seemingly passing through. With a sight twinge of relief he noticed no redheads however.

"Yes?" Harry replied with a smile, though Lupin could tell it was forced. Lupin carefully watched Harry out of the corner of his gaze, to see how he would handle the boy.

The small eleven year old lit up though, "Hi I'm Mark Evans, I'm from Little Whinging too, I didn't even know I was a wizard until an Owl swooped down on the playground and gave me a letter. I saw you around sometimes, but I never knew you were a Wizard until I saw you and asked about you. Dudley, your cousin, used to pick on me, and he said that you were in an institution and then he hit me." Mark rambled brightly, and then glanced back to his friends as to say, "see whom I know."

Harry flashed back to memories of Dudley's behavior with him over the years, "Yep that's what they said. It was fun to meet you, Mark." Harry said, still holding the smile until they were out of sight of the firsties.

The smile faded from Harry's face and he turned to his friend, "That was weird." Harry commented to Lupin as they walked off.

"You're famous my boy. How is Hermy?" Remus replied, his voice full of concern. He himself had left Tonks this morning, more than ambivalently. Her arm and head had been healed, Madame Pomfrey was truly excellent at her job, but she felt she had let Hermione down. He had held her almost the entire night after she had fallen asleep crying.

A flash of memory illuminating a similar scene flooded Harry's thoughts, "You are the only person who gets away with that; she'd kick my arse if I used that nickname. About the same, she moved up to our suite this morning, but she's still not talking, I want to skip the feast and go directly to her when we get in, but I have to be in the sorting, as at least one of us is supposed to be there. The funerals are what I am concerned about." Harry responded almost incoherently.

"How are you, holding up?" Remus asked softly, he knew instinctively that Harry was toughing this out, out of a probably overdeveloped sense of duty, and to make sure no one else got hurt on what he considered his watch. Harry was in so many ways his father's son.

Remus had seen Harry's face when he, Harry and Moody had returned to the Granger's to retrieve their bodies. And he had seen just what havoc Harry could reap, when the two Death Eaters Voldemort had left behind, had decided that killing Harry would be a good way to rise in their Lord's favor. Harry had taken both out without breaking stride; firing a reducto powerful enough to crush one's chest left handed without a wand, and the other with a severing charm that just happened to cut his legs off and walked right inside. Remus had dragged Moody to the side while Harry was inside, and demanded that Moody not tell Dumbledore that Harry had destroyed the two without even considering their surrender. Moody agreed readily, and told Dumbledore that the two died while attacking them, which was the truth, if not the whole truth. Moody wasn't too bothered anyway, he had a pretty black and white set of categories that he placed his enemies in: those that were dead or those should be dead and soon would be.

Harry's head turned to Lupin slowly, "The bastard went after the only family I have left Remus and he got three of them, how the fuck do you think I feel?" Harry snapped back, taking a breath he went on more calmly. "And on top of that I'm not allowed to cut that motherfucker Malfoy's head off even though I know he put Hermione's parents in the crosshairs... I'm responsible, in a way it's even worse than when Sirius died, he at least was a warrior who went out in battle, they were just poor muggles, whose daughter had the bad taste to let me love her." Harry broke off, examining the weave of the carpet on the train intently.

"Harry, it's..."

Harry shook his head violently, then stared at Lupin begging him with his eyes to tell him that he was wrong, "No Lupin, It's not. But this time I have to be the strong one, usually it's her. I don't know if I can do it. I'm not as good as at this as she is. I do know one thing. Every fucking Death Eater gets one chance from me, after that it's no quarter. Between Roger, Jane, Percy and Molly, Lucius and Bellatrix have more than used up all their chances from me.

"Voldemort?" Remus asked; he did not shudder at the name, if nothing else Voldemort had hardened his enemies.

Harry fingered his wand thoughtfully, "Riddle is fucking dead Remus; he signed his death warrant when he sent his evil into the Burrow and Mione's. Any way I can take him down, I will. If it means dropping a building on his head I will and damn the consequences. The prophecy means shit now."

With a squealing of brakes, the train shuddered as it slowed down. Remus went to the nearest window, and saw the Hogsmeade station rapidly approaching; the ride had gone quickly at least.

He turned to Harry, "We're here."

************************Great Hall, Hogwarts******************************

September 1, 2005
8:00 pm

The Great Hall was decorated as normal for a sorting and welcoming feast. Thousands of candles hovered in mid-air over four long tables; the enchanted ceiling was showing an echo of the night's sky outside; a bright crescent of a moon and millions of stars. The usual hubbub around the sorting and the first time many of the students had seen their friends since June was present as on any other "normal" first day back.

However tonight, the atmosphere also was crackling with tension, almost enough to cut with a knife. Of course by now every student 2nd year and older, had heard at least part of the story surrounding the events of the last several days. The normally rambunctious Gryffindor house table was almost silent and a great hole was seen in the usually packed table. Harry was conspicuous in his presence, as he Neville, Semus and Dean were the largest group from their year present. The absences of both school age Weasleys, Luna, Hermione and several of the 7th year girls were glaringly obvious. The girls had been told on arrival by McGonagall to help see to Ginny and Hermione, as the others were needed at the feast. Fleeting looks from the other tables at Gryffindor, and hushed whispers filled the hall.

The first years filed in and the sorting hat went though it's normal routine, singing about the need to unite under the threat, and began splitting the new students into houses. Harry tuned out the ceremony, only looking up long enough to notice that this years crop of Slytherins was really small, and that Mark Evans kid from the train was going into Gryffindor.

After the sorting was complete, Dumbledore stood at the raised faculty table and a hush settled over the hall. Everyone who was paying attention was waiting to hear if he would address recent developments. He did not disappoint. "First, several announcements." He began, "Mr. Flich has posted this year's list of banned items. I understand it now occupies a rather large filing cabinet outside of his office, however as a quick rule, most of the items are Weasley Wizarding Wheezes items." A tiny, brief flitting grin crossed his eyes before they grew cold again. "Also first years are reminded that the third floor corridor and the forest on the grounds are strictly forbidden, unless they wish to meet a grisly fate, and even then please stay away, it is difficult to retrieve the bodies." He paused and then went on, "As many of you may have heard, yesterday Lord Voldemort and his followers launched a series of attacks on several of your classmates and their families. There were deaths I am afraid." He added sadly. Many of the students present shivered at the name, and many more looked over at the Gryffindor table. Dumbledore had not mentioned the specific students, however the missing ones from the Gryffindor table, all but hung a sign announcing who had been attacked.

"Good", a whispered voice was heard from the Slytherin table, at which Snape shot a warning glance at his house's table. He got up and stalked, annoyed, to their long table.

"Condolences for the families may be left at Professor McGonagall's office. Please tuck in as the food is getting cold." With that he looked at Harry and gave a slight nod as their eyes met. He sat down to eat, Dumbledore did not engage in his normal dinner conversation, but just ate quietly looking only at his food; he was more than feeling his age today.

**********************Gryffindor Tower***********************


Harry led the rest of the Gryffindors to their dorm. As they went he pointed out the various hazards and tricks to the first years, from the moving stairs to missing steps to Peeves, flinging down suits of armor as they walked by. He walked up to the Fat Lady, gave the password "lionheart" to the portrait and waved the students through into the common room.

The door opened into a cozy, round room, filled with many decrepit scarlet and gold overstuffed chairs and couches. Several worktables were scattered about as if waiting for students to inhabit them once again. A fire was roaring in the hearth even though it was September, from past experience Harry knew that the nights could get cold here. As the year was just beginning, the normal clutter of left behind books, various familiars and pets, and other detritus had not yet begun to accumulate. Of course there was not trash or dust or anything of the sort, as the house elves were once again cleaning Gryffindor tower. Hermione, had never given up on S.P.E.W., however she had finally found about Dobby and Winky picking up all the clothes she had knitted and so she had begun a different tack to gain their freedom. As a result the tower was once again sparkling clean, though the doom rooms themselves often weren't picked up because of the scattered clothes.

Wincing at the reminder that she was up in her room in pain, he put the thought out of his mind for a second and looked around the common room. He found the usual milling around, and on a couch away from the others before the fireplace, he saw Ron sitting, staring into the flames. Harry weighed the options, loyalty won and Harry walked over to him. "Hey"

"Hey" Ron replied softly with none of his usual cheerful tone in his voice, his gaze never left the fire as he responded.

"Have you eaten, I can have one Dobby bring something up." Harry asked looking down at his friend with concern evident in his expression. I wish I could do something real, Ron.

Ron shrugged slightly, "No I'm ok; Luna brought me some stuff up earlier."

No, you're not my friend but I'm afraid that none of us will be for a while. "Ron, if you need anything, the password to Hermione's and my suite is padfoot, so you can get me if I'm not down here." Harry said softly to his friend, leaning in so no one else would hear.

"Thanks, Harry", Ron paused "Harry..." he finally turned and looked at Harry, he still hurt, but he wanted to tell Harry...

"Yeah, Ron."

"It's not your fault." Ron gave a slight nod, as if affirming his statement to himself, and retuned to the fire.

It's always my fault, I don't know why you all don't just run at the sight of me, "Yeah, well...I have to go up and check on, you know...."

"Go Harry, I'll be fine." Ron gestured vaguely in the direction of the stairs to Harry and Hermione's suite.

With a slight nod, Harry paused summoning his Gryffindor courage; he turned and walked to the stairs up to the Head Boy/Girls rooms.

***********Head Student's Chambers, Top of Gryffindor Tower*****************

*Evanescence Bring me to life, Track #2 on the Fallen album

Only a lone pair of candles lit the room as Harry stood in the doorway of Hermione's bedroom. Far back in the shadows, she was huddled on a corner of her four-poster bed, her head resting on her knees. Crookshanks valiant efforts seemed in vain, as no notice of the desperate purring of her familiar curled next to her, penetrated her pain-darkened thoughts. His heart shattering at the sight, Harry sighed softly, and walked heavily over to the bed. As he carefully sat on the edge of her bed, his stomach jolted once more as he noticed dried tear tracks on her face. "Mione"

"Hmm" she muttered without looking up, deep in his heart he knew that he was the only one remaining in the whole world that could have gotten even that much out of her this night, but the thought provided him no comfort. What do I say? "Do I ask if I can get you anything?"; "Do I offer to do something?" I'm afraid that the answers to that question would be the one thing I could not do for you. I'd take their place if I could; Love. Just like I would have taken Sirius or my parent's place. Hell, by the time this is over we may all be with them. I resisted US without knowing why for so long. Somewhere inside I thought that if we just stayed friends that something like this wouldn't happen. Then when I tried to send you away you came back through the fires to me and I knew you were too stubborn to leave me. And just how much I truly loved you, like the half of me that was missing and I never knew. "Hermione, I..."

Hermione's head snapped up with tears burning in her eyes, she exploded. "Damn it Harry James Potter, don't you dare to apologize for this or try to take the blame, If anyone's at fault it's mine, I was there too. I heard Dumbledore say, just as you did that if we took up the mantle of the Order of the Phoenix that we were putting hearth and home at risk. You think I didn't know what could be in store for me and mine? I was there at the Ministry and at Hogsmeade. I have been petrified, hit, beaten, burnt, damn near drowned, and I'm still here beside you, and it's not just because I love your dumb arse." She gave a brief sad smile and then went on torturedly, "Voldemort has to be stopped or there will be more muggles die, more mothers tortured in their homes." She fiercely wrapped her arms around him and started crying again into his shoulder. Harry merely sat there silently, holding her tightly, his hand cradling her head gently.

After several minutes had elapsed, she looked up into his eyes and he could read the clouds passing by. Flashes, of rage, disgust with herself, and love for him combated in her eyes for a second, and she gently pulled him in for a kiss. Harry could taste the salt from her tears on her lips, and his stomach flipped yet again at the very sight of her, even as torn up as she was. She pulled away for a second and then with a sudden hunger or desperation she grabbed him again and crushed his lips with hers. Quickly her hands started to roam and then found his shirtfront where they were three buttons down before Harry gently pulled himself away. As he did, he read new competing emotions in her eyes, flashes of lust; combated with fear and gratitude for him having the strength she did not.

"Harry, can you stay here tonight, and just hold me?" Hermione asked biting her lower lip nervously, not wanting to meet his eyes.

Harry gently pulled her eyes to his; bending forward he kissed her forehead, "Of course."

"Promise you won't leave" she pleaded.

"I won't leave the castle without you, and if I leave your side at all you will know where I am at." Harry replied, trying desperately to convey that no one would take him from her this night, or ever again.

"Ok." She responded and snuggled into his arms, secure at least for a while.



A/N: Sorry Mione. Next Chapter's Harry demons and a request from those lost is fulfilled.

Built by Text2Html

9. Demons

Chapter 9 Demons
****************Room of Requirements, Hogwarts 7th floor*********************
September 2, 2005
6am

Harry was soaked in sweat. He had risen after several hours of holding Hermione, periodically stroking her hair to coax her back to sleep when she would wake up crying. After she had finally passed into an exhausted slumber at around three, he had eased out of bed and took a nap in a chair. Normally holding her would be his most favorite thing in the world, but at the moment he had needed to stretch out. When he woke, he wrote her a note saying where he would be and went to try to work out some of the pain that he was feeling.

Ever since beginning training under Moody at the start of his sixth year, he had discovered that the defense sessions helped with the pain, at least letting him ignore it for a while. Maybe this is why Dudley took up boxing, hitting something is cathartic. Moody was an old school Auror and he believed that to do the job you had to use what you had, whether it was a wand or a sword, or just your fist. Harry had already spent almost an hour doing katas, working on the bag, and practicing the quarterstaff, which techniques worked particularly well with a wizard's staff. Harry was now working with a heavy wooden sword, slowly moving though the motions of dispatching invisible enemies.

The room was outfitted in its normal fashion for the use of the DA or the members of the Order. A cushioned mat was on the floor, with several fighting dummies over to one side. Tall shelves of spell books lined the walls, with titles like Effectiveness of the Paralysis Curse vs. Trolls, and Dark Curses Volume 4 and others. Through the windows, which weren't actually real, a gray sky could be seen to start to reveal itself as the dawn came.

Hermione quietly slipped in to the room, having found his note on the pillow. She knew that he hadn't gone far though, as she could still sense his presence in the castle. A relatively new phenomenon that would bear looking into, but not today, for now she just took comfort in it. She grabbed a book on the Use of Potions for Disguise and Defense and settled in on a couch along the wall comfortably to wait, determined not to intrude, but more secure in his presence.

Harry was more or less oblivious to her arrival. Somewhere inside he knew she was here, as he could feel her presence just as well as she could feel his. But at the moment his own demons were haunting him, his unfortunately were older and tougher, he tried to kill them with the sword as he had tried with his hands and the staff already. No matter how many times he struck down imaginary Death Eaters however, flashes of memories still haunted him, flashes, of a twelve year old Hermione lying petrified on a bed, of Ron and Hermione under the water during the tri-wizard, seemingly in danger of drowning, of the brain tentacles wrapping Ron, of the flash of purple as it struck Hermione in the chest, and finally of Sirius' face as he fell through the veil.

"AGGGHHH" Harry dropped the sword and fell to his knees. It clattered noisily on the floor as instantly Hermione ran over to him and grabbed his shoulders.

"Are you all right?" She asked with a slight hitch in her voice, and a slight tremble in her hands.

"Yeah" Harry replied unconvincingly, he knew that he couldn't lie to her, but he tried anyway to try and save her pain, on this day especially.

He got up, and holding hands they stood face to face for a moment, each trying to hide their fears from the one person they could not hide from. Hermione spoke into the silence. "You didn't have to stop last night..."

Harry smiled crookedly, "Yes I did Hermione; it was your pain acting."

"No it wasn't, at least not entirely," She responded in a whisper.

"When can both act with clear hearts and heads. Then little girl, let's see you get away from me." Harry teased back, dropping his forehead to hers.

"And I thought I was supposed to be the mature one." She replied with a smirk, her eyes lighting up for him, just a little, for the first time since he had seen her and Tonks leave to go shopping on that fateful day.

"If it helps I think Ron and Luna are less mature than either of us." He responded, trying to lighten the mood even more.

"NO!" she gasped in an incredulous voice. Harry could see the wheels turning as she flashed to the obvious conclusion.

"Yep" Harry gave a single chuckle at the thought, and how he had found out, how Ginny had walked in on them at Grimmauld, and her surprised yelp had attracted Harry to see what was up in his house.

Hermione started to laugh, and then began crying softly. Through her tears, "Damn it why is it so hard?" Harry pulled her in close and kissed her forehead softly, he rocked her gently in his arms and felt for a response.

" I think it's supposed to be." He said, his thoughts flying back to his parents and Sirius, and the fact that the only reason he was here today was the witch in his arms, who had brought him through that dark time a year ago.

She wiped her tears, quietly, "It's like a hole in my soul Harry, I keep thinking that they will sending a letter any second now asking about that Potter boy, or how my grades are, or just nothing at all, just to say hello. I miss them and it's only a few days now since the attacks, what will I do, a week, a month from now." She asked, not expecting a response.

She got one anyway, because he had to say something, anything that could help. "We go on because that's what they would want Mione."

"How did you get so smart?" She replied softly into his shoulder, unconsciously snuggling closer into him.

"Hanging out with you mostly." Harry retorted with a shrug.

"Harry can we get some breakfast sent up to our common room, I don't want to go down there and see him. I don't know what I might do," as she pictured Malfoy's head on a pike. Just as Harry had in Dumbledore's office, the night of the attacks, she had put two and two together and got Draco. She was scared, not of him, but of what she could do to him. She had killed at least two of the Death Eaters at her house, no one had told her, but she knew anyway, and she knew if she could do that unthinkingly, she could easily destroy the younger Malfoy.

"Sure" Harry said, a little relieved. Without another word, he led her by the hand out the door and towards Gryffindor Tower.

**************** A small cemetery in the woods outside Canton, England**********

September 2, 2005
3pm

The day had dawned gray over Canton and stayed overcast, a light misting rain was now falling, causing streams of water to cascade from the umbrella Harry held over Hermione and himself. The weather fitted the mood aptly. The coffins of Roger and Jane Granger have just been laid into the ground. Almost the entire Order of the Phoenix was present as both a show of strength and as a gesture of solidarity to Hermione. The wizards in the crowd were all dressed as muggles, even Dumbledore was present in a somber grey suit, and Tonks had on a black dress with her hair it's actual black color instead of a more normal shocking pink. The muggles present this evil day, such as Hermione's one set of surviving grandparents have been told that the majority of the Wizards were the Professors from the boarding school that she attended, which was technically true. Hermione stood stone faced the entire time holding Harry's free hand for support, letting go only for a moment to throw a rose onto her mother's coffin. Ron stood next to them, under another umbrella with Luna, as close as their umbrella would allow. The entire time she never said a word, only nodding where appropriate, while silent tears streaked down her face.

The scene had been much the same several hours earlier with the exceptions that the Order had been in full regalia, for Percy had been fully inducted into the Order on his death, the black cloak covering the coffin. The other difference in the two scenes was that the weeping of Molly and Ginny was anything but silent. After a long time Arthur had pushed Molly's wheelchair away, as she had not yet recovered from the attack on the burrow.

************************Head's Common Room****************************

September 3, 2005

"Hermione," Harry said softly as he came up the stairs from the lower common room, "Arthur and Molly are here and they would like to see you. Are you ok, love?"

Hermione glanced up from the couch, where she had been pretending to read a charms text. Crookshanks followed her gaze towards Harry and jumped down from her lap to come over and rub on his legs. "I'm fine Harry, did they say what they wanted?"

"No," Harry replied, shrugging. Hermione's lips twitched into a frown, but she waved them in nonetheless. Harry flicked a small smile in return, before he returned to the lower common room and helped Arthur with Molly, as she was still weak from the after effects of the Cruciatus Curse. Harry helped Arthur with Molly as she sat down in a plush armchair opposite Hermione. Harry started to leave to give them privacy, but stopped at a covert motion from Arthur, so with a slight shrug he went and sat next to Hermione instead, his hand finding hers automatically as he sat.

Arthur sat in the chair next to Molly and leaned forward, towards the teens. "Hermione, before...Jane and Roger died, last Christmas in fact, they had a talk with Molly and I." Arthur stopped and looked over at his wife, who gave him a sad, half smile. "They asked us if we would consider being your guardian if anything happened to them." Hermione nodded at him, technically she would be of age in a few weeks in the Wizarding world, but she was still a year shy in the muggle one, though no one here really cared. Arthur wasn't done yet though. "Molly and I talked last night and we would like to go one better, Hermione we would like to adopt you into the Weasley clan. Only if you want to of course, God knows we aren't the richest family, even now but we..."

"Ok" Hermione replied in a small voice, tears in her eyes. As she saw Molly trying to get up to hug her and failing, she jumped up and hugged her instead, "Thank you..."

"Harry, can you do me a favor and get Ginny and Ron," Arthur asked hesitantly, Harry just nodded and left down the stairs only to reappear a bit later with Ron and Ginny in tow.

"Mum, dad, what's wrong." Ginny exclaimed as she came up the stairs, understandably assuming the worst. Ron just looked at his parents, and only nodded a greeting.

"Nothing's wrong dear, you have just gained a sister though." Molly replied through her tears. Ginny immediately looked over at Hermione and squealed. She ran over and gave her a huge hug. Ron slowly followed and repeated her actions, more sedately but with just as much feeling.

Over to the side Harry started to move away to give the new family privacy, only to be stopped by Arthur's gentle grip. He leaned close, and in a soft voice, "No Harry. Stay. You are just as much family as Hermione is now, anyway, I doubt it will be that long until we are related." Harry rolled his eyes a bit at the insinuation, but he didn't disagree. Silently Harry and Arthur wandered over to the clan, now in all the ways that really counted, two souls richer, not that either of them hadn't been an honorary Weasley for the last six or seven years.




A/N: The climb back begins. And as you can see there is more than one way to a big happy Weasley family. Next chapter an interesting proposal from Dumbledore.

Built by Text2Html

10. No We Can't be Teachers

Chapter 10 No we can't be teachers
*************************Headmaster's office Hogwarts**********************

September 9, 2005

A week had passed since the dual funerals for the Grangers and Percy. The wake that followed had been interminable for Hermione, as the muggle friends of her father's who had thrown it for their good friend, did not know the truth. They had been told that the Grangers had been killed in a gas leak and that they had died peacefully in their sleep.

Not that the most evil Dark Wizard in the world had commanded their death as a means to strike against both muggles and the forces ranked against him at the same time. People that she didn't know would come up to her and offer advise on how to get though it and that it was a shame that such accidents happen. Hermione would have not gotten through all of her classes, in this last week, if it hadn't been for Harry and her new brother Ron, who along with her were studying to become Aurors for the Ministry, to support her in the classes.

McGonagall's N.E.W.T. level transfiguration class had been particularly hard as the assignment had been to transfigure a music box into a camera and have it work at the end. Aurors were often called on to deal with complicated items laid as traps by the ones they pursued. The problem came about when Ron started his box playing. It had been a song that Hermione's mother had used to sing her to sleep with. Harry had to hurriedly take her into the hall to let her calm down for a second, when she had broken into tears again.

They had gotten though the week though and now Dumbledore had called them into his office, neither knew what it was about, and both were wondering what either of them could have done recently, but since most of their trouble also involved Ron, they weren't too concerned, since he was not here. The office was filled as usual with Dumbledore's normal overflow of stuff, from shining silver instruments pilled on tables, to open books scattered about to several varieties of muggle and wizard candies in bowls on the various tables and shelves. The portrait of Phineas Nigellus, Sirius' grandfather, nodded at Harry as they entered while the rest were doing their usual possum act to try to pick up gossip. Fawkes the Phoenix was looking resplendent in bright gold and red plumage; he must have just gone through a rebirth. Harry and Hermione had chosen old overstuffed chairs in front of Dumbledore's huge desk. They sat talking softly to each other while they waited.

They started to stand as Dumbledore and Remus walked in from Dumbledore's quarters behind the main office, only to sit back down at a wave. Dumbledore took his seat behind his massive desk, and Lupin perched on a corner.

"You are wondering why you are here?" Dumbledore began looking alternately at Harry and at Hermione, his eyes twinkling as if only he knew the punchline to a particularly funny joke.

"Yes, " Hermione answered for both of them.

"Well as you know I have not been able to find a competent person to fill the position of Defense against the Dark Arts. I do not have the time available this year to fully teach the course myself as I did last year to attempt to make up for Umbridge's damage to the curriculum. So I have decided to use the resources at hand. I will continue to teach the course to the sixth and seventh year students as they both are NEWT level classes. As to the younger students, I am proposing that Lupin return on a part time basis to teach the 4th and 5th years, while Tonks teaches the third years. I have received permission for Tonks to do so from Arthur in his role as Minister of Magic.

"What about the 1rst and 2nd years? Are they not getting taught?" Hermione wondered. I wonder whom they dug up for that? Probably some no account like Professor Trelwany. Just as long isn't Umbridge.

"Funny you should ask that question, Miss Granger. As Head Boy and Girl I formally require that you assist the school in this matter and that you Miss Granger take the second year students and Mr. Potter teach the first year class."

"But Professor, we haven't even graduated." Exclaimed Harry as next to him, Hermione just looked shocked. How could I teach was echoed in each's thoughts. I screw up and get the ones I care about hurt. How can I teach these little kids to stop some one like Riddle? Both of them looked at each other, each reading the fear in their eyes.

"Harry, you and Hermione are more qualified to teach that class then almost any Auror in the Ministry. You both achieved record scores on your OWLs in DADA. With two O+s, the only other people to ever achieve that high a grade on those exams were..."

"Sirius and my father" Harry interjected, flashing suddenly back to a conversion at an earlier time with Moody. "And you see where that got them!"

"And myself." Dumbledore finished. " You two also unfortunately have more experience in this role than almost anyone here."

"Professor I wasn't good enough to stop them at my house." Hermione whispered. Harry reached over and gave her hand a squeeze, she glanced down and then over at Lupin before returning to Dumbledore.

Dumbledore looked into eyes that were filled with a mix of fear and guilt. He flinched inside but continued. "My dear, you and Nymphadora, went into a house that was your home, a place that you felt secure..."

"But" Hermione interjected.

"Let me finish please, Mione", Hermione's eyes went wide at the use of her nickname that usually only Harry or very rarely Ron used, everyone else used Herm or her full first name, but she motioned for him to continue.

"As I was saying you went into a house that you felt secure in, with your wands not in hand or holstered as if you were expecting trouble. You fought through the shock of events and out of ten to one odds without either of you sustaining great physical injuries. You have the skills. Remus, Tonks and myself will be glad to help with any difficulties but these are your classes to teach." Dumbledore leaned back in his chair and looked at the pair of them over top of his half-moons, which had slid down to the very tip of his nose.

"Harry?" She asked though knowing him, she knew the answer.

"It's up to you love, I'll do whatever you decide, if he kicks us out I already have a house for us to live in." Harry responded with a somewhat forced smile though inside his emotions probably matched hers.

Hermione gave him a small smile, then turned to Dumbledore, the decision made in that instant. "Ok then we'll do it."

"Excellent, then, I will expect your lesson plans before classes on Monday." Dumbledore responded with a grin.



A/N: Okay that chapter was incredibly short, I really don't know why, so as recompense I will upload chapter 11 at the same time.

Built by Text2Html

11. First Day Jitters

Hi JKR, thanks for letting me play. On to the story.
Chapter 11, First day jitters.

*****************Hogwarts, here there and anywhere********************
September 12, 2005

6am, Gryffindor common room.

The portrait hole opened silently. Harry stepped through the hole in exercise gear, having obviously just been working out in the Room of Requirement. He looked distracted, as if his mind was filled with many conflicted thoughts running through his head. He was not so distracted this time, however, that he did not notice Hermione sitting facing the fire with her back to the entry hole. He walked up to her and collapsed onto the couch without saying a word.

"Hi Harry." She muttered as Harry sat down on the couch next to her, and Crookshanks jumped up, rubbing to be petted. They both sat for several minutes without saying anything. Lavender and Pavarti came down from their dorms on their way to breakfast and passed Harry with a wave, though neither commented; both glanced at Hermione on the way through.

Finally Hermione spoke, "Hun, you can say something. I'm not going to bite, not even those two" referring to the departed girls. "I didn't talk to Lavender when she said hi on the way to the bathroom earlier so she probably thinks I'm mad at them."

"Then what's wrong? And how long have you been down here staring into the fire?" He responded worriedly, shifting nervously on the couch.

"Long enough to see you leave to go beat up ghosts, love" She responded distractedly, and leaned over and placed her head on his shoulder, still keeping her eyes on the flickering flames. "Did you kill them?"

"Yeah, but they come back every night, you?"

"When will this be over?" she replied, not answering his question. "We both have lost almost everything."

"Except each other." Harry finished for them both.

Hermione looked at him, and a single tear escaped her brown eyes. Harry's stomach sunk, as he couldn't take away her pain. His own had long been a companion, but he would do anything to not have to share its like with her.

As if to answer his unspoken feelings, she said "Harry you are not at fault, we have already had this conversion, I may love that you are the hero, but you can't do everything. Besides you being here is better therapy than any potion or Muggle physiatrist."

"But, I..."

"Shh..." Hermione placed her index finger to his lips to quiet them and followed, with a quick kiss.

"Anyway as to your original question. Our first classes, are today, how can I teach those little kids to defend themselves. I know what Dumbledore said, but still, I should have known. I..."

"Hermione" Harry cut her off before she truly got started, "I'll repeat it, and if you don't believe Dumbledore then believe me, after all I have no stake in the matter." She snorted and Harry continued. "You are the smartest, most capable witch in twenty years. And..."

"You mean that I'm not the greatest witch ever, well." She interrupted with a false huff and a now slightly smiling face.

"Well there was my mum."

With those words she threw a couch pillow at him. "Thanks dear."

"You probably shouldn't have said that, we have double potions this morning."

"Greaaaaaaaaaaat".

**********************Hogwarts Dungeon level******************************

9am

Harry, Ron and Hermione, sat down at their usual table in the back. Professor Snape had always preferred his classroom in the dungeon, due both to his personality, and the fact that the sometimes-explosive potions were probably best kept away from the rest of the school. This predilection for the dark, dank under levels, to this day, kept alive rumors that he was a vampire, however after Harry had tested this by "accidentally" mixing in garlic in a potion that Snape was to test by ingesting, the three friends now just assumed that he was some other dark creature.

Snape was a nominal member of the Order, and curiously since the events of fifth year the relationship between Snape and Harry and his friends had thawed somewhat. Snape still maintained his public animosity towards Harry, deducting points whenever remotely possible (or when it wasn't) against imagined sins. Harry however had started feeling a grudging respect towards the Slytherin head, as a double agent for the Order, he still had not been found out by Voldemort. Once that Harry had realized that Snape had immediately gone looking for Sirius that night of the Ministry raid, based only on Harry's visions, and without regard that his cover might be blown, Harry had seen that Severus could set aside his hatred for awhile, as much as he might loath to do so.

As to Snape's point of view, he really didn't have much of a choice; Dumbledore had finally interceded, and publicly demanded that he get over his animosity towards Harry. And anyway, Harry and Hermione were his star students, much to his chagrin. Both had Os on their OWLs in potions and led the class all last year. Ron had scraped by with an A on his OWLs, and constantly battled on border between the acceptable E and the A grade that would disqualify him for the NEWT level class. In fact it was only on the orders of Dumbledore that Ron was in the class at all, and Harry and Hermione constantly battled to help him keep his grade up to at least an E, in his essays and exams anyway. He still generally did terrible with the potions in class. So basically Snape ignored them. He had even held off from harassing Ron and Hermione in their grieving. It wasn't as if he had to show off to a load of Slytherins like he had in years past. Only Malfoy and a couple of other Slytherins had been able to keep a grade high enough to stay in the class.

Snape swept dramatically into the class, and without a pause for breath, began in his usual brisk manner. "Today we will create a Multitude potion, the ingredients are on the board", he pointed his wand at the board and letters started to appear. "Does anyone know the effects of this potion?" As Hermione's hand shot up, "Anyone that is besides Miss Granger that is?"

Harry actually knew the answer, as after he had received his O in potions he had actually started studying, which delighted Hermione, at the same time as it annoyed Ron, but he kept quiet, as he just liked to make Snape let her answer the question. Anyway if he answered it Gryffindor would probably somehow end up losing points.

"Fine, Granger" Snape said with a grimace, "let's have it"

Hermione responded with a smirk only Harry could hear, "Sir, the purpose of the Multitude potion is to create temporary copies of a mammal, it does not work on lesser animals. It is often used by wizards to create copies of themselves in case they need to complete several separate tasks at the same time. It has also been used by Aurors, who will create it ahead of time to use it if needed to combat several adversaries. The effect of the potion lasts one hour at which time all the copies reintegrate with each other."

"Correct, Granger" he responded with a grudging nod. "As I don't want copies of you running around, I will test the potion on mice. Three to four copies will receive an E, five or more receive an O, any fewer fail. You have one hour."

After an hour, Snape called a halt and all of the students bottled some of their potions and took them to his desk, where he had a box of mice. Malfoy had been throwing glances at the three all class, but had kept quiet. But now as Harry and Hermione took their potions up to the desk to have them tested, Malfoy slipped over to Ron and muttered something in an undertone. Just as Snape tested both potions, both created six mice each, Ron exploded in the back, yelled, "BULLOCKS!" and pointed his wand at Malfoy.

BANG!

A pure white ferret sat where Malfoy had been standing.

"Bloody Hell," Both Hermione and Harry muttered as one under their breath.

"WEASLEY, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING! Come here now boy." Snape yelled at the back of the room and Ron trundled up. "One hundred points from Gryffindor and detention with Flich for two weeks. And you two," as he turned to Harry and Hermione, "another fifty points each for not stopping him."

Harry and Hermione just stood there, as they didn't want to make it worse.

"Mr. Martin take The Ferret up to Madame Pomfrey, class dismissed." And Snape swaggered to his office, slamming the door and knocking several bottles to the floor from a nearby shelf, where they shattered with a crash, and spilled their contents together. The multicolored puddle started smoking and several students standing nearby hurriedly left.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley" Hermione snarled in a rather good imitation of Molly Weasley "What the FUCK do you think you were doing, doing that in front of a teacher, especially Snape."

Ron thought, She does a good Molly; I wonder if Ginny has been helping her, though mum would have probably dropped the "FUCK", I guess we have corrupted her, with a carefully concealed grin.

Ron replied perplexedly, "But he told me that he thought, Ginny and Neville, made a cute couple, though with the moans she was giving off in the Owlery the other day, he wasn't sure she wasn't a cat, I mean he was lying right?"

Ohh Merlin Ron and I thought Hermione was dense sometimes, and like you have room to talk, with Luna and all, it was only what a month until you two were in the sack? Harry thought and meeting Hermione's eyes he saw the same thoughts Cool I guess we can really read each others minds!

Hermione smiled to Harry and then like an axe her expression fell and she turned back to Ron in an undertone. "Ronald, Snape can't be seen to have anything but hatred towards us. It could get him and us killed. You git, get out of here"

And with this comment, Ron shook his head and stumped off towards his divination course that he had to take for credit hours.

"Well, love one good thing did come of this."

"What?" replied Hermione half afraid of the answer.

"At least it got him to practice Transfiguration"

'You..." Hermione muttered, exasperated, then leaned over and gave Harry a kiss on the cheek. With a shared sigh they walked off holding hands, escaping the dungeon for another day.

*************************DADA Classroom #2***************************
1:45 pm

Harry sat on the professor's desk in the DADA classroom. He had watched a little of Hermione's class with the second years, and she had been doing great, She was always teaching us anyway, making Ron and I find the answers for ourselves, well sometimes anyway, He corrected himself. Now I guess we find out if I can do this. Harry looked up as Dumbledore walked into the empty classroom. "Hello Professor"

"Hello Harry, I would like to talk a moment if I may?"

"About this morning in Snape's?"

"Professor Snape's if you will Harry, anyway that is not what I came to talk about, however the points that Severus took from yourself and Hermione have been restored. The punishment for Ronald stands, however much Malfoy may have disserved it, and I do not doubt that he did, only so much leniency can be shown to any of the members of the Order without raising suspicions that we cannot afford right now. Relate this conversion to Ronald when you can and apologize for Snape and myself. He says that he probably would have done the same if it were his sister under discussion."

"Snape has a sister?" Harry said looking amazed.

"Yes, Harry he did" Dumbledore responded ignoring the second verbal gaffe. "As to my original purpose, I came to ask you if Sirius had ever mentioned members of your family other than your parents."

"No..." with a puzzled expression.

"Then if you will I would like to speak to you, alone, after dinner."

"All right Professor, I was supposed to get with Ron to discuss Quiddich strategies, but since I guess he is in detention tonight I'm free." Harry replied, still puzzled.

"I'll look for you at eight then, the current password is tropical skittles. If you don't mind I would like to stay for a bit of your class, I assure you that you won't notice me."

"Sure, Professor." Harry replied, but as he looked around, Dumbledore had disappeared.

RING

2:00 pm

The classroom rapidly filled with first year students. As there was not a lower level teacher last week, this was their first class in DADA. As was usual in the lower level classes, the room was filled with students from every house, though once again Harry noticed that the Slytherin crop seemed sparse this year. Well Professor Dumbledore did say that many of the families with "questionable" ethics might have elected to send their children other places than Hogwarts this year.

From the class Harry heard whispers of, "Who's that, he seems pretty young to be a professor?" "Is that?" And a couple of embarrassing "He's so handsome."

"All right settle down." Harry motioned to the crowded classroom and a hush fell, as the students waited to see what would happen next. "My name is Harry Potter, and it looks as if I will be teaching this course this term. Now I am not much of a bookworm..." At that the rear door silently opened but nothing visible came in. Like I can't feel you there Mione!

I know
he "heard" back. With a slight smile he went on. "So today I thought we would get right to it. What we will practice today is often the first spell taught in DADA, as it can often end a fight before it starts. The spell is the disarming charm. The incantation is expelliarmus. The proper pronunciation is very important, as you wouldn't want to use expellianus." Several of the faster students got the joke, and broke out in laughter. As they explained it to their slower fellows a general sense of mirth was felt in the classroom.

As he "heard" a laughing HARRY! He went on. "Anyway lets pronounce it all together now. Without wands if you please "

"EXPELLIARMUS"

"Excellent, again."

"EXPELLIARMUS"

"Very good." My God, I'm channeling Remus as he flashed back to third year for a second. "Ok any questions?" A single hand shot up belonging to a girl with brown hair. "Yes, Miss?"

"Madeline Pierce, sir, however I read in the textbook that the effectiveness of this spell depends on the strength of the wizard casting it, how could it help us against someone much older and more powerful than ourselves. After all since You-Know-Who came back, first years like ourselves don't stand a chance do we?"

My god, she has a sister.

Harry felt Hermione's interest in how he would answer this question and also knew he would pay dearly for the sister comment, so he took a breath and responded to the question in best way he felt how to, directly. "Call me Harry, if you call me sir or professor or such, I'll be looking around for Dumbledore, the whole time. Miss Pierce, Lord Voldemort" the usual flinching and cringing, "is not invincible. This spell has been used against him successfully, and anyway there are other threats than him about."

"Harry, sir, who has used it against him successfully?" Madeline continues.

"I have" Harry said softly, then more loudly "if you all would move against the walls, thanks." And with a wave of his wand and a muttered incantation he transfigured the desks into soft mats on the floor. "Now if you would I would like you each to pair off and practice disarming."

The students paired off and began attempting to disarm each other. Harry immediately noticed that Madeline Pierce had paired off with the Evans kid that he had met on the train and that she succeeded in performing the charm after only a few attempts. This went on for the rest of the class with occasional missed charms ruffling his hair and knocking books off shelves. The bell rang, indicating the end of the class, without anyone going to the hospital wing, which in DADA was always a good sign.

Harry dismissed them and transfigured the desks back to normal, as Hermione appeared out of the air and smiled at him. "You did good, I had to enervate Crookshanks in my class after one of the Slytherins stunned him. I am so going get fur over all my robes for that. By the way." She kissed him on the cheek and stepped back a step, holding his hand, "You are so going to PAY for that my god she has a sister comment."

"I agree Miss Granger" Dumbledore said as he appeared and Hermione nearly hit her head on the rafters. "You did a good job today Harry, I'm glad my thought of using you two was a good one. Good day to you both, Harry I will see you later? Yes?" And with that Dumbledore walked out the door.

"Sorry Hermione, I thought he had left" Harry apologized.

"It's ok, Harry, what does he want to talk to you about?"

"No idea. I'm kinda afraid to ask."

**********************Headmasters Office, Hogwarts. ************************

8:00pm

Harry had just arrived at the Headmaster's Office after walking Hermione to the library. He just wanted to make sure she was safe, though of all the people here, she was more than capable of taking care of herself. He walked to the library and after finding Luna and Ron there "studying" he left her with a brief hug and ran to the other side of the castle so he wouldn't be late. By now Harry had mostly gotten over his anger with Dumbledore over the events of his fifth year, where once he would have been purposefully late to such a summons, now he made sure he was on time. He still disliked Dumbledore keeping secrets from him for his "own good" and he was afraid that this was one of those talks.

Harry sat down in his usual chair it's pretty bad that I have a "usual chair in the Headmaster's office, he thought. And waited.

"Hey Fawkes", Harry said and Fawkes crooned in return. With a slight grin, Harry got up, walked over to the bird and stroked his feathers. "So my friend, how does it feel to have an order of evil fighters named after you?" Harry asked the bird.

"He is actually a member of the Order himself" Dumbledore responded to the question from the door to his private quarters. "Just like the core in your wand, each of the medallions you and I and your friends wears contains one of his feathers. It links us and gives us the ability to pass the wards around our protected sites. Harry, before I relate the reason I asked you here I would like to know something, I'm afraid it is somewhat personal and I am sorry for that. During your class today, I felt as though at times you and Hermione were sharing thoughts, were you? I could feel the thoughts passing by but don't worry I could not "hear" them if that's what they were."

"Yeah, Professor, we can sometimes. It's not like when I was receiving thoughts from Riddle though, when Hermione or I share thoughts, it just happens, Riddle's always seemed forced if that makes sense." Harry replied with a sigh.

"Yes, it does Harry, if you don't mind when do think this started?" Dumbledore asked with a somewhat worried expression.

"I'm not sure, the first time I remember it for sure was for a second at Hogsmeade last year during the attack and then I heard her when her and Tonks were jumped at her house. After the aftermath of the funeral we sorta can do it at will more or less." Harry replied uncertainly. "But we have always known what each other was feeling more or less now that I think about it."

"Good" Dumbledore shot back, as his expression visibly relaxed, he walked over to his desk and sat down. Harry followed to his normal chair and Dumbledore continued. "It was after you suddenly mastered your Occlumency last year then. You already know that Hermione has proven to be a natural occlumes, neither Snape or myself were able to force ourselves into her mind, and I dare say that she would fight us out even more strongly if it was to help protect you."

With this comment Harry felt briefly ill, but Albus went on. "That was not the original reason that I asked you, but I asked as it might be related as to what I am about to tell you now. And I am sorry that that what I am about to say is the last secret that I have kept from you, that I am at liberty to reveal. I will understand if you are angry after I relate it, but I could not have let you know until your mastery of Occlumency was confirmed, and with Hermione sharing your thoughts, hers as well."

He paused and took a sip of the hot chocolate that had appeared at his elbow. "Would you like some?" At a nod from Harry, a second, steaming cup appeared. "Harry the ability to share ones thought with ones mates, is not common, a least not as it is with yourself and Hermione. I, and many other powerful wizards can project thoughts into others minds. However the difficulty is more and more intense depending on the strength of the wizard or witch with whom you attempt to communicate unless they specifically let you in. It is a quandary, that people with the least magical power, muggles, would seemingly be the least difficult to communicate with, however that is a one way street as they have so little magical ability they cannot project their thoughts beyond their own skulls. Of course they can be probed, but that is a different matter entirely. I on the other hand, can project thoughts into others heads, but those skilled in blocking such thoughts could conceivably block even myself. I could also pull images from some weaker minded wizards though advanced Occlumency, but I dare say is that even I would have difficulty with doing so with either you or Hermione."

He paused, took another sip and continued, "You two on the other hand, seem to put forth no effort at all to perform this. Your parents could do this with each other also at times, however it was only after they had, ahem, had relations and at that time they had been together almost twice as long as yourself and Miss Granger." The faintest twinge of pink colored Dumbledore's cheeks at that statement.

Harry met his eyes with an expression of astonishment, "Professor, I really don't want to ask you this but... How or why would you know when my parents would have had, um, relations? I mean I don't think that is something that is normally shared with one's Headmaster?"

Dumbledore actually looked nervous but responded to Harry's question anyway. "Your father proposed soon after that event. At that time he related that these powers had cropped up."

"I see...but I don't see Professor, why would he have told you?"

"Because I was his Great-Great-Grandfather and I suppose he wanted to tell me why he wanted to get married so intensely. Though they were in love anyone could tell. In fact it was almost funny how they carried on. We used to catch them all the time, ahem, anyway I would like to imagine that is how you and Hermione would be if not for the circumstances...without all the catching of course." Dumbledore finished with a mixture of amusement and sadness.

Harry sat silent for a long moment assimilating yet more assaults on his worldview. Dumbledore had promised that he would tell Harry everything he wanted to know unless he couldn't per some other promise he had made. Of course Harry had never asked him if he was related to Harry or about his parents relations had he? "Professor, granddad, hell what do I call you anyway? Why did you wait to tell me this, Did Sirius know? Does Remus? Honestly I don't know if I am really peeved at you or happy probably both." Harry gasped out.

"For now Professor, in public, in private whatever makes you comfortable, Harry. Sirius did know, somehow Remus has never been told; so don't hold this against him Harry. Harry I am sorrier than I can express about the Dursleys, I was so afraid that Voldemort's initial defeat had been a trick and after the prophesy you were needed and..." Dumbledore trailed off suddenly as a tear fell from his face.

Surprisingly Harry was not angry. Sure he had suffered at the Dursleys, but it had also helped mold him into who he was and if he had not been who and what he was who was to say that he would have even met Hermione and Ron, and if he had would they have been together? Who knows? "It's ok Grandfather." Harry said deliberately. "What is done is done. I assume that I have to keep this a secret too" with some disgust in his voice at the thought of keeping another secret from Ron and especially Hermione. In fact he probably couldn't do it, when it came to her if he had to.

"It's up to you Harry, but I do propose that you hold off for a while, at least until it sinks in." Dumbledore replied with a shrug, for once he wasn't sure about why he had told Harry, it had just seemed the proper time.



A/N: There ya go, god I love those plot twists. In case you hadn't noticed earlier, the different colored italics are for different peoples thoughts, blue Hermione, Red Dumbledore, Black for Harry and everyone else except Voldie who is green.

Next Chapter Hermione's birthday.


Built by Text2Html

12. Did Harry forget?

Jo Rowling even owns the feathers on Buckbeak, I own nothing really.

Chapter 12: Did Harry forget?

**************************Hogwarts*************************************

September 19, 2005

Today was Hermione's birthday, it marked her official majority in the magical community (though she had been able to do magic over the summer due to a friendly Minister of Magic) and more importantly it was her first birthday with an actual boyfriend. (She was not with Viktor Krum long enough to have a birthday pass) The day dawned bright and clear, the sun rising over the Loch.

It had been three weeks since the death of her parents and she still woke up every night with the nightmares of the disastrous day of August 31st. But she was functional more or less. In her more philosophical moments she now thought of herself of a member of the "walking wounded". By now, it seemed as if Voldemort had attacked all of her friends in some form or another to cause them grief. From Ginny and Ron, loosing Percy on the same day as she lost her parents, to Neville loosing his parents, more or less, to the Death Eaters, to Harry, Harry who lost both of his parents to Voldemort before he even had a chance to know them, and Sirius after he had regained a family.

In her weaker moments, she even occasionally wanted to blame Harry for the death of her parents, but with every flash of anger at him, a much deeper anger at herself would beat down the thought. For she had heard his thoughts that day he came to her after the sorting feast. She knew he would sacrifice himself in a heartbeat to bring the dead back if he could, but he could not. She knew that he would always blame himself for the deaths, and assume that they had been an attack on him. They had been of course, but she knew they had also been an attack on Ron and herself directly, and Dumbledore too. Ron and her had helped defy Voldemort, and so were marked for death in their own right. Dumbledore was made to suffer as the message was left, "He could not protect his own."

The DADA classes had proven cathartic along with the more specialized training that she and Harry and the rest had been under since last year. She had started soon after Harry, and after two weeks Alastor had told her that she had advanced faster in those two weeks than any of the Aurors he had trained in the last twenty years. In fact he had grudgingly admitted she had progressed almost as fast as Harry, and faster than he himself had so many years ago. She now generally worked out with the other new young members of the Order helping with their training or with Harry or Dumbledore as very few could actually push her any longer.

She woke up, half expecting Harry to be sitting and waiting on her to wake up, he could after all get into the other head students room, his was across the head's small common room. And wasn't that a mistake, Albus, she thought with a sense of mischief. But Harry had not woken her up, however she wasn't terribly concerned. He was somewhere about in the castle she could feel his presence, but she wasn't practiced enough yet to exactly pinpoint him. I figure he is either working out again or he and Ron are out getting some extra Quiddich practice before the first game in a couple of weeks.

But when she went to the pitch she didn't find him. And he wasn't at breakfast either, but Ron and Luna were. Due to the events of the assault at the Ministry at the end of her 4th year and her proven loyalty and courage, the sorting hat had taken the unprecedented step of resorting her into Gryffindor last year, which had resulted in a crowed 5th year girls dorm. Hermione's appointment as Head Girl this year had probably resulted in cheers among the rest of the girls in the year, as the 6th dorm was able to switch with the 7th years as they had more room due to only Parvati and Lavender being left in Hermione's old room. Which of course annoyed the older girls to no end. Hermione stalked up to Ron and Luna and plopped next to Luna. "Ron have you seen my boyfriend?" She asked in a somewhat exasperated tone. "I can't seem to find him though I can feel he's around here somewhere."

"Hmmm" Ron responded after an elbow from Luna, he hadn't been paying attention, he had been staring at Luna. "What?"

I'm just glad he got past the blushing stage, "Ron I asked if you had seen Harry this morning."

"Just about five this morning, he yelled at me to shut up about the damn spiders, I had fallen asleep in the common room. I don't know what he meant? Anyway, I went back to sleep, I don't know when he left, he was gone when I got up at seven." Ron responded with a shrug and went back to looking at Luna.

Are Harry and I that bad, yeah probably when one or both of us aren't drowning in flashbacks or nightmares, walking wounded indeed. Hermione thought with some insight. I guess I'll see him in advanced transfiguration; it's a double, he should find time to talk to me.

But that thought was not to be, yes Harry did show up and took his normal seat next to her. He even gave her a kiss on the top her head as he sat down, to the accompaniments of several "AWWs" from the female population and one "BOO" from Draco, but he didn't answer where he had been.

"Harry, where were you this morning? I couldn't find you." She whispered over to him, concerned.

"Sorry, love but I had to do something." He responded, also in a whisper. "We'll talk later ok? I have to take notes, McGonagall will kill me if I don't keep the O I had last year." With this declaration McGonagall caught their eyes and gave one of her patented glares. They both shut up instantly and paid attention, to a degree at least.

Since it was her and not Ron that comment was addressed to, she couldn't very well argue with it. She resolved to solve this mystery after class, and wondered again if his behavior had something to do with his meeting with Dumbledore a couple weeks ago. Harry had never told her what Dumbledore had told him, but he had behaved weirdly for a couple of days after that, especially towards Dumbledore.

After class though, Harry met Ron and the rest of the Gryffindor team outside of the classroom and with a wry expression he told her that they would be practicing the rest of the day. He did ask her sweetly, if she wanted to come watch, but she figured that she could use the time in the library to work on classwork and tomorrow's DADA plans. I'll even make up plans for Him, that git. She thought with amusement at herself. Harry gave her a goodbye kiss, and headed off down the corridor, already talking to the rest of the team about strategies.

It's not that I don't like Quiddich, especially when Harry's playing. But I do have work to do. He did ask me to go, it's not like he's hiding from me. She rationalized as she headed off to the library already thinking of the subjects that she should look up.

***********Gryffindor Tower, Head Students Common Room***************
7pm.

The rest of Gryffindor tower had left for dinner almost an hour ago, but Harry had asked Hermione to wait for him. She had followed his request, but now she was getting hungry and annoyed.

"Harry, come on supper will be over soon!" She yelled in the direction of his room.

"Not for you" He replied as he appeared in his door with a grin.

Her heart skipped, as he was in her favorite of his dress robes, the dark green fabric matching his eyes. "A little over dressed for dinner aren't we?" She asked, a smile twitching at the corners of her lips.

"Not really" and with a muttered incantation and a wave of his wand, the room transformed itself into a romantic rendezvous. The center worktable became a table set for two, steaming food already served. Candles lit the room and the fire ignited and filled the room with a soft glow. "Dumbledore taught me that." Harry said with a sparkle in his eyes, to her unasked question.

"Ahh, wait I'll change, I guess..." she started to return to her room, but then ....

"That's ok I wouldn't want to make you late for dinner" Harry responded with a chuckle, and before she could say another word his eyes glowed just a bit, her robes transfigured themselves into her favorite green dress, which just happened to match his robes and eyes, and her hair came loose from the ponytail it was in, to fall in graceful waves over her shoulders. He walked over to her and taking her hand, he led her to her chair, holding out her seat as he sat her down. Walking over to his seat, he sat down and snapped his fingers.

With a soft POP, Dobby apparated in, holding a bottle of wine. She could barely contain her laughter as Dobby was wearing a complete miniature tuxedo, heck his socks even matched. "Would Miss Granger like some wine?" Dobby asked.

"Yes, please Dobby." With a chuckle in her voice "Thank you" as he poured the wine.

After pouring the wine, Dobby snapped his fingers and vanished. Hermione broke out in laughter "Is that where you were all morning?" She asked breathlessly, between laughs.

"Yeah, sorry I was hiding all day, but it's really hard to hide anything from you now. Anyway you couldn't imagine, how hard it is to get Dobby to understand that socks are supposed to match." They ate, making soft conversion, occasionally leaning over the table to share a kiss, or two. As he looked her over, Harry asked softly, "Would you care to dance?"

"But there's no music." Hermione objected, but she stood anyway, afraid to spoil this evening.

Harry took her in his left arm and with his right he waved his wand behind his back; suddenly her favorite muggle band began to play a slow ballad. They danced to the music, her head on his shoulder, and kept dancing for several minutes after the music had stopped. Leading her by the hand over to one of the couches, they eased down into it, her eyes never leaving his. Harry pulled a box from his robes and handed it to her. "Happy Birthday."

Hermione glanced down at the box then back up at him. She pried open the box to reveal a small, silver and gold, heart shaped locket. The locket was inscribed with her initial with a small emerald set above the initial. As one would normally do, she tried to pull it open, but failed; looking for a latch she found none. With a brief expression of annoyance she glanced at Harry's laughing green eyes.

"You can't open it that way, it's a wizards locket; it'll only open by magic." Harry said, trying desperately not to laugh at her expression. Hermione grinned and started to get out her wand, but Harry stopped her, with a hand on hers. "Do me a favor, try to open it without the wand"

She looked at him with a raised eyebrow but tried anyway. "Alohomora" The locket danced a bit in her hand but didn't open.

"Try again for me, please?" Harry murmured to her disappointed expression, Please, Mione I'll help in her head.

This time she didn't even bother with the incantation, she concentrated on the locket wishing it to open and with a snap it did. "It works!" she exclaimed happily and gave Harry a hug. Inside the locket was a tiny moving picture; it showed Harry and her sometime last year, looking at each other with obvious love in their eyes. She looked a question at Harry, and as usual he didn't have to hear the question to know it.

"Ginny took that last year after the Hufflepuff game, when you came out to congratulate me on catching the snitch. She gave it to me the other day, she said that she knew as soon as she took the picture and was waiting to see when we would figure it out."

Hermione grinned and leaning forward she kissed him on the cheek, "she lied you know, I told her two weeks before then."

"And not me, Hummph..." Harry quickly glanced away so she wouldn't she the laughter on his face. Laughing she grabbed his head and turned his face back to hers, leaning in she approached his lips slowly...

Suddenly a tapping at the window interrupted the moment. They both looked up to see Hedwig wanting in. Harry got up, muttering, and let the bird in. Petting her on the head, he removed a note from her leg. Walking back to Hermione, and setting Hedwig on his shoulder, he took Hermione by the hand and led her down the stairs to the main Gryffindor common room. "Harry what was that note?" She asked as they stepped into the common room. "The signal."

"SURPRISE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Hermione's head snapped around from where she had been looking at Harry and saw the common room filled with people. Ron and Luna were already crossing the room, with butterbeers in their hands for the two late arrivals. He handed one to Hermione and gave her a kiss on the cheek with none of the awkwardness he once had towards her. Luna's been good to him. Hermione thought happily as she gave him a hug in return.

The party went on for several hours, highlighted by a very poor rendition of happy birthday, several WeasleyWhizBang magical fireworks being detonated in the common room and the opening of presents. Including several that were borderline inappropriate for mixed company ones from Luna, Pavarti and Lavender. I'll get them...though some of these might come in handy. At least Harry had the good grace to look embarrassed, bless him. Finally at around one, McGonagall came in and yelled at them all to go to bed, and halfheartedly bitched at her prefects and head students, but every one could tell it was pro-forma only.

**********************Head's Common Room*****************************
1am or so

With a flourish, Harry finished levitating the last of Hermione's presents up the stairs from the lower common room. In their shared common room, Dobby must have come while they were downstairs at the party and cleaned up the remains of dinner, as not a dirty dish, or fallen napkin could be found. Harry closed the door to the stairs and looked across the room at Hermione, a crooked smile plastered on his face.

Hermione turned and slowly walked to the doorway of her bedroom, reaching it, she turned and through long lashes, regarded him with a look that damn near stopped his heart, "Harry," she said softly, her eyes boring in to his from across the room, the little golden flecks in them dancing.

Harry swallowed involuntarily, and choked out, "Yeah Mione,"

"Come here," She replied simply, a crooked finger pulling him forward, at the same time she pointed her wand at her abdomen and muttered something under her breath. As Harry reached her side, her arms snaked around his neck, and he responded instantly. Harry ran his fingers though her curls and pulled her into a long, deep kiss. Subtly, Hermione moved the pair of them all the way into her room. As they cleared the door, she waved her wand at the door and it closed with a muffled thump, and then muttered an incantation. The walls lit up white for a second, before returning to normal.

His jade eyes grinning, "What was that?"

"An silencing charm," Hermione replied with a grin against his lips as she walked backwards towards her bed, pulling him along with her. As her legs bumped the edge of the bed, she laughed happily and pulled Harry down on top of her, and proceeded to trace her tongue around his lips.

Harry pulled away for a moment, and with all of his will he asked, "Are you sure about this, Hermione?"

"Never more of anything." Hermione replied looking up at him though her bangs that have fallen loose, as she nervously bit her lip. Harry just smiled in reply and bent back down and kissed her on one shoulder. His lips trailed his hands as he slid the dress down her shoulders with such a look of utter concentration, that she just had to laugh.

"What?" Harry worriedly asked, as he paused with the dress just north of her chest.

"Nothing, dear, She responded, her eyes dark. Looking deep into his eyes, now somehow devoid of his glasses, she enunciated very carefully. "I love you Harry."

"I love you too." He responded with as much control as he still had.

With a predatory grin reminding him of a lioness about to have it's prey, she pulled herself on top of him and Harry lost any semblance of coherent thought for the rest of the night.




A/N: There ya go, Right now there are those who are screaming at me, cause I dropped away right there. Sorry. It won't be the last time, and we don't drop away then.

Built by Text2Html

13. The First Game

Chapter 13 the First Game
************************Quiddich Pitch*******************************

October 1, 2005.

The day had fallen gray and raining. Much like another Quiddich match in their 3rd year. The wind blew hard, cutting though one's very bones like a knife. Harry and Hermione stood together, talking low. With a low grin, he leaned down slightly, she was reasonably tall for a girl at only an inch shorter than he, and kissed her deeply. As they pulled away, with a happy little smile Hermione touched her wand to Harry's glasses and performed a charm to keep them free of rain.

Ron watching, trying desperately not to laugh flashed back for a second to a much younger Harry and Hermione, but the same charm on the same pitch. Some things never change. He observed with a wry chuckle, though as Harry leaned down for a final kiss and pulled her hood up against the rain, he corrected his thought. Some things do though.

He walked over to the two, a grin on his face. "Come on, mate, we have a victory party to get to." With a wave, Ron led Harry to the center of the pitch. Madame Hooch was waiting with the Hufflepuff captain, waiting for them to show to begin this game. Everyone on the pitch was already soaked to the bone and the girls, anyway, were already shivering. McGonagall hadn't known last year whom to pick as Captain, so she had made them Co-Captains, and except for the Slytherin games they went out to the center pitch together. Madame Hooch had placed specific orders before last year's Slytherin game however, that the captains, namely Harry and Draco, be kept away as far as possible, she had had enough attempted murders in that series of games, thank you, over the last six years.

"Ok boys" Madame Hooch began as she looked meaningfully at both team's captains, "I expect this will be a clean game. Are there any questions from either side? Okay Ronald, call it in the air." Pulling a galleon from her pocket, she flipped it in the air. It landed in her hand with a splash.

"Heads" Ron said at the top of its arc.

"Heads it is," Hooch responded with a nod, "which goal will you defend?"

Turing to the north goal Ron pointed, and picked his favorite goal, "the north one." Not that the choice was in doubt in any way, no team's keeper wanted to try to defend the goal nearest the Gryffindor stands. Slytherin keepers had even been turned to toads over the years for trying.

Hooch gave a wry half-smile, "You heard him, to the air."

The teams mounted their brooms and took off, Harry and the Hufflepuff seeker, Thomas Payne a fifth year, hovered directly over the center of the pitch. Seekers used to start flying around until last year, when right in front of Thomas' eyes, Harry had ended a game fifteen seconds after it started by snatching the snitch out of the air before it had almost escaped the box, resulting in the fastest game in Hogwarts history, notwithstanding he fact that Harry had been distracted by other thoughts at the time, of course.

The whistle blew, and right away it was certain that this game, unlike last year's match between the two teams, would not be a quick one. The Snitch took off directly away from both seekers and dove into the trench surrounding the pitch were it vanished in the rain. Both seekers groaned and headed for altitude to look for signs of the Snitch. Meanwhile....

Ginny Weasley snatched the Quaffle off of the release, and with a move worthy of Harry, scored the first goal. She drove the entire length of the pitch and pulled up hard in front of the Hufflepuff keeper, literally sliding though the air to a stop in front of the right-most goal, flinging water everywhere, and fired a cross-court shot to the left-most goal, totally misleading the Hufflepuff keeper, Steve Farris. At the same time she was taking a shot, Neville flashed by, slamming a bludger away from her back. She never even flinched as if she knew he would be there all along.

"WEASLEY SCORES WITH AN AWSOME SHOT, AND WHAT A HIT BY THE GRYFFINDOR BEATER" yelled Leslie Jordan, sister of the infamous Lee Jordan and the Hogwarts game commentator since Lee left school.

"Impartiality Leslie" McGonagall growled.

Harry dodged the other bludger, as usual he had the beaters primarily looking out for the chasers; he could easily take care of himself as long as Dobby wasn't controlling the bludger. Seeing the snitch he dove for it, only to be cut off by a Hufflepuff chaser trying to score on Ron. Cutting around the girl he lost sight of the snitch "Shit" but to his delight, he did catch sight of Hermione in her normal seat on the sidelines.

"Go Harry!" She yelled, her face alight. She was now soaked as least as much as Harry was as she had knocked her hood back in her excitement and hadn't bothered to notice.

Harry smiled and gave her a nod, but unfortunately he didn't have time for anything else. Pulling up hard, he flashed to a high orbit above the pitch and once again started looking for the snitch.

Meanwhile, the game went on. The Hufflepuffs, now had the quaffle, and in a flying V formation, like a flock of black and yellow geese, beat their way through the Gryffindor players and the lead player took a shot at the leftmost goal. In a brilliant piece of goalkeeping, Ron dove his broom over to the goal, and spun it in place at the last minute.... to knock the quaffle to Pavarti...who took at long shot on goal...which went in with a DONG.

"OH MY GOD WHAT A SAVE BY THE KING AND SHOT BY PATIL..." Jordan's amplified voice screamed. "20-0 Gryffindor"

"Leslie..." McGonagall muttered for the record, more than anything else.

"Some year we have to get a non-Gryffindor announcer" a Hufflepuff 5th year commented to a 4th year Ravenclaw girl, who nodded forcefully in agreement.

Up above, the snitch was proving particularly elusive; Harry had chased it about five times now, each time loosing it in the overcast conditions before he could catch it. Tom Payne had only tried to stay with Harry on two of the runs, for the last three he seemed scared for his life. Out of the corner of his eye Harry saw the bludger, and dodged it instinctively, only to have it come back the other way a second later as one of the Hufflepuff beaters connected. Neville swooped in and the opposing beaters started to have a flying tennis match with the bludger as the ball.

"Gryffindor 60-0" was heard echoing over the crowd. Nice cushion guys now I just need to catch the damn snitch. Harry muttered to himself as he looked around. A sudden grin blossomed as he saw the snitch sitting right behind Madame Hooch's back. She was huddling on her broom in the middle of the pitch trying to stay under her umbrella charm. In a flash, Harry dove hard for it. Payne, who was closer, started off after a second also, but he was up against Harry Potter, on an old cleansweep he probably loose, with Harry on a Firebolt it wasn't a contest. But he tried anyway. As the two dove on Madame Hooch, she detected the two incoming seekers out of the corner of her eye, and with a muttered "oh bugger" dove out of the way at the last second. Harry executed a perfect feint, grasped the snitch and pulled up at the last second; literally close enough to the ground to step off. Which he did as he held up the snitch triumphantly. Payne for his part was in pain. His feint didn't quite work, and he had augured into the ground with a great splash. As Harry looked over guiltily, Madame Pomfrey was already levitating him to the infirmary.

Ron flew in and jumping off his broom before it had even stopped, he ran over to congratulate Harry, "Bloody brilliant snag mate, Payne won't try that shit again against us."

"I doubt it" Harry agreed with a great smile, all the while grimacing inside you've obviously never crashed into the ground like that Ron, it ain't fun. "That was a hell of a save and knock to Pavarti, mate."

"Yeah, it was wasn't it" Ron replied with a grin as the rest of the team landed and settled around their Co-Captains. As Harry turned to where Neville and Ginny were "discussing" the match, a loud Roar was heard echoing over the stands.

"Aw shit, she has that damn hat...." Ron muttered under his breath to Harry who grinned at him in return.

"She's your girlfriend, mate...by the way Mione says she has the snake eating part working for the Slytherin game, it supposedly spits out the pieces. She helped her." Harry replied to his fire-haired friend, trying really hard not to laugh at his expression.

"Remind me to thank her." Then in a louder voice "Hi hon...." Ron managed to get out before Luna grabbed the front of his robes and pulled him into a kiss, incidentally knocking off her hat, which proceeded to....

"ROAR"

From behind Harry heard, "hello dear," and turned around to find Hermione slightly flushed from the run out to the pitch.

Her hair was plastered to her face from the rain, and for the millionth time his stomach lurched at he sight of her, God, she's beautiful, Harry though as he glanced in her eyes.

Hermione smiled brightly, lighting up the cloudy day, "I can't very well let those two outdo us, Ginny would never let me live it down. And you know how I hate to loose." And with that blinding smile, she pulled Harry down on her lips, determined to outdo Ron and Luna's example.

"ROAR"

'****************
Meanwhile in the stands, a blond haired boy wearing Slytherin robes saw the celebrating Gryffindors on the pitch. With a slight headshake, he spat on the ground, and turned away. "Your day will come Potter and your mudblood too. The Dark Lord is coming."



A/N Ok that was an incredibly short chapter...sorry. I guess I'll just have to post another one right away...

Built by Text2Html

14. Payback's a Bitch Ain't it Riddle?

Chapter 14: Payback's a Bitch Ain't it Riddle?
***********************Headmaster's Office Hogwarts************************
1:45pm
October 31

A student approached the stone gargoyle. Checking to either side to verify the cost was clear, he spoke quickly in a male baritone, "Tropical skittles" The gargoyle stepped out of the way and with a faint grinding sound, spiral stairs began to climb upward. The student had his hood up concealing his face, however as he turned slightly, a Slytherin insignia was revealed on his robes. Knocking softly on the Headmaster's door, and on hearing an "Enter" from within, he did so quickly.

Dumbledore looked up from a mound of paperwork. One of his gadgets sparked and hissed in the corner, above him two opposing portraits were arguing whether Arthimancy should be a required subject while across from him, seven wizards had left their frames and crowed into an eighth where they were playing a loud game of wizards poker complete with players transfiguring each others cards behind their backs. Fawkes was on his perch, asleep in all the racket. "Yes?"

His presence acknowledged, the unknown student pulled back his hood to reveal the features of Draco Malfoy. Draco began in his normal voice, "If the bad guys are sooo stupid, how the hell can they do so much damage?" But by the end of the rhetorical question, it was not Draco standing in front of the headmaster's desk, but a young witch with black hair and several earrings in her ears. As he watched, amused, she shook her head and the hair faded from a raven black to a shocking bubble-gum pink. Finally, the Slytherin robes transfigured themselves into ripped jeans and a leather jacket worn over a Weird Sisters t-shirt.

"Did you get the information?" Dumbledore asked with a tolerant expression.

"Yeah, I asked Goyle if he knew where the latest safe house for the Death Eaters was. I told him that I wanted to send my father a birthday present, but had lost my note. He of course showed me his, the git. I put a short-term memory charm on him so he won't remember the conversation." Tonks replied, rolling her eyes at the memory of the Slytherin's stupidity.

"Good, Nymphadora, however to be safe, we go tonight." Dumbledore replied as he drew out a sheet of parchment from a desk drawer.

"Are the kids ready?" Nymphadora asked reticently, I don't won't to loose any of them to these scum. Her Auror instincts were kicking in full blast, as she remembered not so long ago when she did loose some of them to those same Death Eaters.

"They had better be, and I am afraid that some of them might be too ready." And with that mysterious comment, Dumbledore scrawled a note on the parchment, folded it up and tapped it with his wand to seal it. "Fawkes I have a job for you." And without giving the phoenix instructions, he gave the note to Fawkes, who took it in his beak and vanished with a flash of flame.

*************************DADA Classroom #2*****************************

1:50pm

Harry was getting ready for his class. Well that was what he had said to Ron a second ago when he poked his head in for a second to ask him a quick question. Actually, he was daydreaming of Hermione at tonight's Halloween ball. Just as he was getting to the good part, Fawkes appeared with a flash, dropped a note into his hands, and disappeared again without waiting for a response. What's this? Harry wondered. If Dumbledore had a question, why didn't Fawkes wait until I gave an answer? Harry opened the note and his question was answered.

Harry,

Please have the student members meet in the Room of Requirements, at 7:oopm before this evening's ball. The usual security precautions apply.

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. this note will self-ignite in 5 seconds...4...3...2....1

The note ignited in Harry's hand, and with a curse he shook the flaming note out of his hands, where it was completely gone before it hit the floor. Thanks Great-Granddad, I have a feeling that this will really screw with my social life this evening. With a shake of his head Harry banished that selfish thought from his head, and finished getting ready for class.

*************************Room Of Requirements***************************
7:00pm

The members of the Order present at the school appeared in dribs and drabs so as not to draw attention to themselves. Lupin and Tonks have just arrived, both looking slightly flushed. They were the last members to arrive besides Dumbledore, who had not yet shown up. Harry nudged Ron and Hermione, and they leaned over to him. He pointed slyly at the last two to arrive and whispered humorously, "It's good, that its not a full moon, we would have heard the howling up here." Ron just laughed quietly, Hermione, smiled briefly at the same time she punched him in the arm. "Oww." She can hit a heck of a lot harder now. I need to thank Moody personally, maybe with a large stick. Harry thought idly, as he rubbed his arm.

With that pleasant thought, Dumbledore appeared, as usual with no sound of apparition. Without waiting for any comment, Dumbledore launched into what he had called them here for. "I'm sorry to drag you all away from your preparations for the party, especially the girls" he said with a wry tone, as almost half of the school age members that were present, were girls. The number of student members had grown substantially since the induction in August at Grimmauld place, now the almost the entire Gryffindor 7th year was involved, Pavarti, Lavender, Seamus and Dean had been inducted in a Midnight ceremony last month.

Several other students from other houses were also present also, including Parvarti's twin, but fortunately or unfortunately the other houses did not have the experience with combating Dark Wizards as the Gryffindors did. By chance or design, it had fallen mostly on the Gryffindors, to hold the line against the Death Eaters in Hogsmeade last June, while the other students had played medic and evacuated the younger students. Having gained their attention he went on. "Thanks to Nymphadora, we have been able to find a Death Eater safehouse in the north of Scotland only thirty miles from here. It is probably being used as a staging ground for Voldemort's eventual assault on Hogwarts. I would like to discourage that idea, and at the same time return a message to its sender."

He looked around the room at the faces of his students and the older co-members of the Order. Alastor, Nymphadora and Remus all look ok, Remus probably already knew what was going to go down from Tonks, and like the other two he was used to this by now. Rubeus is fine, but he knows that he is backup only this time. Minvera looks nervous, but I'm sure that's for her students and not for herself. She's staying anyway, just in case. Harry...he's resigned to this by now, unfortunately. The two I am worried about are next to him. Ron took Percy's death better than Hermione took her loss. I was afraid that we might lose her for a while. It's fortunate that Harry and her had finally recognized their feelings for each other. I don't know if she could have kept it together if it wasn't for him. The problem in the main is I need either her or Ron along, I would prefer both, but...

With a wave of his wand an image of the target house appeared hovering over the floor. "After Nymphadora was able to acquire the location of the safehouse, Fawkes was able to over fly it and obtain some intelligence. From Fawkes viewpoint, it looks as if this manor is guarded by several wizards on the roof, here."

With this statement, three tiny wizards started walking around on the flat roof of the manor house, "And three or four trolls wandering the grounds inside the fence. We were able to tell that anti-muggle wards were in place, so we can use magic openly. That is the good news. The bad, is that we can't apparate in. They seem to have wards as ancient as those around Hogwarts protecting the house. We can't break them quickly; therefore this is what we will do. Harry, myself, Nymphadora, Remus, Alastor and Ronald will infiltrate the house from the roof.

Due to the anti-apparition wards, we will have to approach by broomstick. Harry, you Remus and Alastor will skydive from the brooms in. I will use a Momenta Dispersa charm to get you down safely. You three will take out the sentries on top of the house. You are allowed to use maximum force, but do it quietly." Dumbledore said to the three grimly, Harry looked nervous, as did Remus at this prospect. Alastor however, wasn't bothered at all. I'm heartened that you it still bothers you to possibly take a life Harry, I'm sorry it's necessary. These thoughts did not show on his face as he went on.

"After the Death Eaters on the roof are neutralized, the rest of the roof team will land and all will enter from the roof. Pavarti, Seamus and Dean" The three teens looked up nervously, "you three will apparate to this point here." A clump of trees well outside the fence of the manor appeared on the floating model. "Bill, Fred and George Weasley are already in position watching the manor, you will join up with them there and your group will enter the manor grounds on the roof team's signal, which will be a flash of red sparks, followed by blue, followed by gold. After that point, I'm afraid that we play it by ear. Two points however," at this pause he looked directly at Ron and Harry, but addressed them all, "First we are after prisoners, we can not afford to be gentle with the roof guards or the trolls, but we take any other wizards present alive if possible. Second, if Tom Riddle is present, we will abort instantly. The charm that prevents us from apparating in does not keep us from disapparating out, unlike Hogwarts. This is not the time nor the place to fight him, we will fight him at a time of our choosing, is this understood?" He again addressed everyone present, but he looked at Harry when he said it.

"Sure." Harry agreed, without a trace of argument in his voice. I too would much rather take HIM on where we have the advantage; this may get hairy enough as it is. Mione isn't going to like being left behind though.

"Professor" said Hermione flatly.

Bloody hell...here it comes. Thought Harry, a bit nervously.

She glanced at Harry, obviously having overheard that thought, then returned to Dumbledore without comment. In a tight, barely respectfully tone, "Why am I staying behind?" She asked, an air of anger starting to build. "I have just as much experience as Ron, and more so than many of those going in on the second team."

"Hermione, I would like to you stay behind with Minerva to..." Dumbledore began, calmly trying to head this off.

But he failed, "Bullocks" Hermione snapped. Gasps were heard, especially from some of the students in the other houses, as they had never heard the Head Girl curse or snap back at a teacher. "It's like you are trying to protect me. I'm not a fragile doll dammit, I deserve payback as much as these two" as she waved at Harry and Ron.

Harry got up and put his arms around her from behind. She turned and looked at him for a second then returned her glare to Dumbledore.

"Hermione" Dumbledore tried to reply placatingly, though inside he admitted she was correct. "Your flying skills are not up to those going in on the roof. And you might be needed, here if..." but then her determination was evident. With a tiny growl, Hermione's eyes involuntarily started glowing the same blue that Harry's did when either of their greater powers manifested.

At that moment Dumbledore knew that he had lost this argument, because the only two in the room, with powers that could some day, or might now, rival his own were standing in each others arms, and the one in front was coming whether he liked it or not. And anyway, the argument was false; Dumbledore knew perfectly well she could fly without the broomstick if needed. Its strange Dumbledore thought sadly, as much loss as Harry had been forced through, you would think that he would try to convince her to stay. "Very well then, Hermione you can go." Another gasp was heard in the packed room, as the sight of the Headmaster being forced to back down registered on the students and other members of the Order. "You still cannot handle a broom as well as..." Dumbledore said automatically, though he knew better.

If only he knew just how well you can fly Love, Harry replied in his thoughts, and felt her grin at him, though the expression never touched her face. "She can ride in with me, Professor." Harry said. "She is more than capable of landing it after the three of us jump in."

"Ok then." Dumbledore returned with a lead weight in his heart. "Those going will meet here at midnight, after the ball, in combat gear."

The members filed out quietly in twos and threes, muttering to each other about the mission and or the ball tonight, until only Harry and Hermione remained.

"Thanks, Harry for backing me up," Hermione murmured to Harry, now with a slight moistness in her eyes.

"I don't want you to go...but you were right. Just do me one favor." Harry asked, looking deep into her eyes.

"Anything." She meant it as long as the request wasn't that she staid behind.

"Don't get killed...Come on, we have a ball to get to and you still have to change" Almost like a switch had been flipped, Harry's demeanor changed. Grinning, Harry threw his invisibility cloak over them both and they left out the door.

***************************Great Hall************************************
8pm

The Great Hall of Hogwarts was decorated for Halloween, instead of the usual candles; thousands of small illuminated Jack-O-Lanterns floated about the rafters. The bewitched ceiling was reflecting the crescent moon outside, and every so often, a little witch would fly across it. The buffet tables, were covered with mounds of muggle and wizard Halloween candy. Hagrid had brought in several of his giant pumpkins and had carved into them pictures of Dumbledore, the other Professors and the house mascots of the houses. Several school owls were fluttering about the room, both to add ambiance to the night and because they could.

At almost the strike of eight, Harry led Hermione, and the rest of the 6th and 7th year Gryffindors into the Great Hall. Dumbledore looked up as he saw them enter, and almost felt afraid himself for a brief instant. They came in as a pack, Hermione's hand in Harry's and the other couples similarly with their partners. Even Luna, Ginny and Neville, who weren't going tonight, unless something REALLY screwed up, had a slight swagger. Dumbledore recognized the look, he had had similar feelings himself at times over his one hundred and fifty four years, but had somehow hoped to prevent the like in his students. It was the look of a pack about to get long delayed vengeance, if only in a small measure.

However none of these thoughts crossed any of the Gryffindors minds, at least consciously, their only goal, at least to most outside observers this night was to have fun. Walking in the door, Neville said some stupid joke about a priest and a rabbi that he had picked up in a Muggle pub over the summer, that Ginny found hilarious for some reason, and was laughing so hard that the arm Neville had around her waist was actually as much for support as it was because they were a couple.

Luna saw the pretty lights and despite his inevitable protests, immediately towed Ron to the dance floor. He followed along, reluctantly, to the soft chuckles of the rest of the group. Pavarti and Lavender watched the two head to the dance floor and with identical grins they grabbed Seamus and Dean and hauled them along behind leaving Harry and Hermione alone near the entrance.

Harry rolled his eyes at the gossip twins' exuberance, and turned to Hermione. "Well shall we Miss Granger?" A twinkle closely matching his Great-whatever-Grandfather's lit his green eyes with a curious glow.

"Aye Mr. Potter, we shall," Pulling him by the hand, she led him in pursuit of their friends. The vantage point afforded Harry an happy opportunity to enjoy his girlfriend, She had found somewhere a dress that exactly matched his eyes, and the belly button ring under it, He thought with an inner grin, to which she turned and smiled, her hair swinging after her as she tossed her head.

Play your cards right and you can play with it later after we get back. She responded silently.

Promise? He asked silently as they reached the dance floor and flowed into each other's arms. For some reason, the music tonight was almost all slow songs, to the expressed annoyance of some of the younger students, who wanted to dance to faster music.

Damn, you're easy. She thought back, smiling as she leaned into his shoulder.

And you love me for it. Harry stated back with absolute assurance, it was one of the few things about which he had no doubts. They danced for almost three hours; only taking small breaks to grab something to eat or to talk to their friends. Only once was the evening marred. Dancing slowly, Harry caught the eye of Draco, who was accompanied by Pansy, or as appearances looked, had been dragged here by Pansy. While magic may have made her more physically attractive, she was still ugly inside. As they crossed paths, Draco mouthed across the dance floor, "Is she good?" With a fist clenched behind Hermione's waist, Harry just ignored him; he wasn't worth it, not tonight.

As with any good thing, this too had to end, as they were dancing, eleven tones sounded from the clock tower, each chime, felt as much in their hearts as heard with their ears. With a little moan, Harry dropped his forehead to Hermione's, "Its time" with a lump in his throat, not for him but for her.

"Yeah, Love, it's to war then." With thoughts similar to Harry's but turned one hundred and eighty degrees, she wasn't worried about herself but Harry, of course, as always. She wasn't the one after all, who had to jump off a perfectly good broomstick to start this foolishness.

Harry raised his lips to her forehead, and catching the eye of Ron and the others going this evening, they slowly started to drift towards the door and out.

The gradual movement of Harry and his team wasn't unnoticed. Draco and a few others noticed them leaving, and he slipped out himself, running for the Slytherin common room as soon as he was out of sight of the Great Hall. However his intentions were soon dashed, for some reason, the fires wouldn't ignite tonight and the owls were far too slow. Draco kicked a chair in the Slytherin common room in frustration at this turn of events and sat down heavily. He knew in his heart, that his mother would pay for his inability to warn the Dark Lord's forces.


*******************Hogwarts/Smythe Manor, Scotland****************

Midnight
November 1, 2005.

The Order members chosen for the raid, and Hermione, who had chose herself, assembled for the assault on the Death Eater's safehouse. The target tonight was an old manor that was thought to belong to the Smythe Family, A family that had been known to contain Death Eaters in the past, the current generation of the family, Reginald Smythe had not been seen in some time. It was possible that he had run afoul of Voldemort's famous temper and paid for his error with his life. In any case, after tonight, the point would be moot.

It had been many years since the Order had assembled for battle with prior warning. The incidents at the Ministry of Magic in the fifth year of Harry's term at Hogwarts followed by the later attacks at Hogsmeade, the disastrous events of August thirty first and other various skirmishes had not been planned but impromptu defensive actions. The fighters this night for a change were prepared before hand. All of the members wore the cloak of the Order of the Phoenix. Most of the members present were wearing black or dark colored slacks and tops under their cloaks. Robes might be fine for daily wizarding wear, but they got in the way in a fight. Even Albus Dumbledore wore a subdued, almost uniform-like outfit under his cloak.

A close observer would note a final difference, not all the wizards present carried only wands. Harry for instance, had his wand strapped down in a sheath on his right thigh and on the other hip; he had a pouch with various potions, floo powder and other magical items that might prove useful. Strapped across his back and poking out from the top of his cloak, the Sword of Gryffindor gleamed softly in the moonlight. Remus was dressed similarly, with the exception that instead of the sword; he had a Kukri strapped to his left hip by his essentials pouch. It had been a gift from James Potter in another life, James had told him that it reminded him of Remus' claws; it had seen occasional use in the war. Finally, Alastor Moody as the last of the team to assault the roof was carrying a wizard's staff, with his sword somewhere under his cloak in addition, no doubt. The rest of the team did not have additional weapons on them, at least that could be seen, they could transfigure other items if need be.

Remus Lupin looked around wearily as they prepared to leave on their dark errand. Peering about he witnessed Harry talking quietly to Hermione; both dressed in black. The sight sadly reminded him of a similar occasion eighteen years ago, when another wizard and another witch had stood together on a night like this. The only dissimilarity to his grim memory was that the witch in his memory had had red hair, otherwise they were closely, too closely, matched.

James and Lily I am so sorry, I wish that your little boy had never had to grow up to be a warrior so fast. I wanted to give him a childhood and a home, and when Sirius returned and was cleared in everyone's minds that counted, then I thought he might have a chance. I'm so sorry I was wrong, I would have taken him, but without a partner I couldn't have taken care of him alone, not with my condition. Then, as Hermione dropped her head to Harry's shoulder, I'm glad he's happy in that at least. Lily you would have loved her, she is just like you, in everything that really matters. They deserve whatever happiness they can wrest from this time anyway.

Ron wandered over to the two and quietly muttered a joke, which Harry and Hermione laughed at nervously. Yes the marauders ride again, Sirius, Lily, James I hope you are watching, those three and their friends are ones that will end this war, and give you peace at last, not us old farts. Lupin grinned despairingly to himself at his last thought and then it was time to go.

The flight in was uneventful. Dumbledore used his powers to move clouds across the moon to make it darker and conceal their arrival. The group that had apparated to the Weasleys to reinforce the ground element was already there, having disapparated to the rendezvous with the Weasleys already on site, when the broom riders had left. Now after a short ten-minute ride, the team of six broomsticks and seven riders hovered motionless almost five hundred feet above the roof of the manor. Using omniocculars, Harry was able to see the three wizards that had been seen by Fawkes earlier, walking the roof. Harry turned slightly on his broom so he could see Hermione mounted on the broom behind him. "Ready for this Mione?" He whispered.

"No." in the same tone I do love you... I'll be there to back you up as fast as I can get this broom down. She elaborated in their shared thoughts.

I hope we won't need the backup on the roof at least. He replied. "Ok Remus, Alastor?" He inquired quietly.

"Yeah" A gruff voice from his left responded.

"Good to Go" he heard back. Then turning to Dumbledore "Ready Professor?"

"Yes" Dumbledore replied in a voice much softer than his normally booming tone. "Ladies if you can maneuver your brooms next to mine so you can steady mine while I arrest the gentlemen's descent." With this command, Tonks and Hermione, who was now controlling Harry's broom, maneuvered next to Dumbledore, he gave an invisible nod and....

Harry, Lupin and Moody jumped off their brooms and automatically assumed skydiving positions. Harry had unfortunately performed this particular maneuver before, though that time it was somewhat unwillingly, and with the unwelcome assistance of several Dementors.

As the three were only fifty feet above the roof and were about to pancake in, Dumbledore let go of his broom with his hands, trusting Tonks and Hermione to steady him, stretched out both arms and muttered "Arresto Momentum." The three slowed to a gentle walk, and touched down without a sound on the roof behind the three Death Eaters. The Death Eaters were looking out over the garden idly and conversing in low tones among themselves, totally unaware of what lurked behind them.

Using hand signals, Moody silently indicated that the far left Death Eater was Harry's, the far right one was Lupin's and that he would take the center. The three crept up behind the Death Eaters. Harry's heart was pounding so hard; he thought the Wizards on the roof would surely hear it. Nervously looking over at the other two infiltrators, he received a pair of nods and...

Harry took four quick, silent strides; the Gryffindor sword cut left, then back right and Harry's opponent collapsed with a spray of blood, but nary a sound.

Lupin might be fully human this night, however his tread was a light as a hunting wolf and his target fell to the ground one way, while his head fell another.

The final Death Eater saw Lupin's victim fall out of the corner of one eye and turned in alarm. But before he could get more than a grunt out, he too fell with a vicious CRACK from Moody's staff.

Harry looked a little green, as he took several deep, shuddering breaths. He had killed before in the heat of battle, but never in an ambush like this. He had carried though only because of who was landing at that moment behind him. He wouldn't let anything or anyone hurt her if he could help it, and if he had to take out a dark wizard or a hundred along the way then so be it.

Hermione landed their broom right beside Harry and gave him a brisk hug. She looked grim at the sight of the body at his feet, but she was still game. A long time ago, Ron had said in one of his prophetic moments "if those two ever got together, I wouldn't want to face them. Together they might be the most dangerous couple I know." That was before the events of the last year or so but it still held true. Ron approached noiselessly on the Harry's other side and the Musketeers were together again.

Moody reported to Dumbledore in an undertone as he watched the reunion. "All three of those bastards are on the way to Hell. Kid did ok Albus, I was afraid for a second when I saw his face that he couldn't go though with it like this, but he did."

"That's why Alastor," Dumbledore replied, gesturing with his head towards the trio. "This night any of them would do that for one another. That night that we retreated to Hogwarts after Riddle came after them in their homes, the die was cast to fall either on his defeat or ours. Looking at them I now, know which way it has fallen."

Alastor looked slightly disbelievingly at his old friend, his magic eye spinning; Blimey he's getting mystic again. "Let's get this party started, Tonks the signal if you please." Mad-Eye pointed at Tonks, then at Harry, Remus and Ron, then at the locked door leading off the roof. Harry lined up on the right of the door, Remus on the left with Ron in the center. Ron had his wand trained on the door with Harry and Remus holding theirs up at the ready, at ready nods from the three at the door. "GO"

Tonks held up her wand and successive showers of red, blue and gold sparks erupted from her wand.

"REDUCTO" Ron blasted the door to splinters. Harry dove in with the spinning door fragments to the right, Lupin to the left, both searching for targets. They found them. Just getting up from chairs, two dark wizards tried to get their wands around, cards flying from the game they had been playing...

"Petrificus Totalus" snapped Harry, instantly locking the closer Death Eater into a full body bind, as he hit the floor and rolled upright in one smooth motion.

"Stupefy" Lupin snarled, diving headfirst into the room, and the two Death Eaters dropped to the floor, one unconscious and the other frozen. Hermione, trailing Ron into the room, solved that problem in the simplest manner possible, by walking over to the paralyzed Death Eater and kicking him in the head. Now two unconscious wizards lay on the floor. With a look, Harry indicated the door to the rest of the house, and slowly crept through it, wand at the ready.

Harry and Ron cautiously checked the next two rooms, only to find them barren and empty. Harry's gaze flicked back to Hermione, who was covering their backs, only to receive a confused shrug in return; do you think they heard us come in? Black humor infused her thought.

This isn't right, Harry returned as he and Ron, eased nearer to the head of the stairs

"Avada Kedavra" a green bolt snapped past Tonks' ear, missing her by a kneazle's whisker. She jumped to her right and whirled to the shooter. A hail of red bolts erupted from the seven and nailed the concealed Death Eater with several stunners to the chest. There was no time to see if the combined stunners had killed him or merely made him unconscious, as a storm of fire suddenly flooded up the stairs at the team.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE THE WEASLEYS!" Tonks yelled over the din. After all, they should have entered by now. But no one had the time to answer, as they were busy raining answering spells back at the Death Eaters below. The room was filled with brightly colored bolts of green, red, blue and white light, and the shouted incantations to go along with the spells.

Screw this Harry thought grimly as a reductor curse exploded next to Moody's ear, "Cover Me!"

"NO Harry!" Hermione snapped, but it was already too late. With his words Harry jumped up and over the banister and dropped the twelve or so feet from the second floor to the first, flipping his wand to his left hand and drawing the sword from his back while still in the air. The Death Eater to his left, fell to the ground with a blank look on his face as Harry's stunner impacted in the center of his forehead. The other looked amazed, a look that was frozen as with a slight eye roll, Harry smashed the hilt of the sword behind his right ear. The Death Eater dropped, bonelessly.

As Harry turned to look around the room, a wand extended from a curtain behind him "Avada..."

"STUPEFY" a red bolt flashed by Harry's ear, close enough to singe his hair, and a body fell from behind a curtain. Hermione rose gracefully from a crouch she landed in when she had followed Harry over the rail, her wand still pointing at the downed Death Eater; she had taken the shot in the air as she fell.

"Thanks Love" Harry shot over his shoulder to her as he scanned the room.

"Anytime." Hermione replied, equally distracted.

"Would you two get a room?" Ron said dropping beside them with bent knees, completing the trio.

"Would you three get back to work?" Moody growled as he, Tonks and Dumbledore came down the stairs at a more sedate pace. Though the only reason that Tonks hadn't followed the three was that Moody had grabbed her arm, muttering, "damn fool youngsters."

"REDUCTO" a massive blast hit the wall next to Ron, knocking him several feet into another wall where he slid to the floor, unconscious and bleeding. Harry, Hermione and Moody were also knocked sprawling, however they were more or less unharmed. Eyes flitting around, they looked frantically for the source of the blast and found....

"MALFOY!!" Hermione screamed, and jumped up to sprint after him. Only to be tackled from behind as Harry knocked her out of the way of a yellow blast of light. Bellatrix Lestrange ran after Lucius and with the parting shot of "I won't miss the mudblood next time Potter!" they apparated away.

"REDUCTO" the front door blasted to splinters, huge chunks of ancient oak flying through the air. A visibly battered ground team finally entered the manor. Both Dean's and Bill's shirts were in tatters. Fred visibly limped as he staggered in, a blood stained tear taking up the whole right leg of his pants. They had tumbled in ready to fire, but on noticing that the others had already taken the house they held up, sheepishly.

"Where the hell where you?" Tonks snarled, annoyed, to the newcomers as she tended to Ron. "Enervate."

"It seems that in addition to the previously mentioned trolls, there were four cerberi patrolling the grounds. We took out the trolls easy enough but were jumped by the dogs as we got to the door. I knew that we should have brought Hagrid." Bill replied, in an exasperated tone, glaring at her.

"Ok then that's all of them." Dumbledore said quickly to cut off the ensuing argument. "Tonks, Alastor bind the unconscious ones and you two and George take the prisoners to the interrogation cells at the Ministry. Everyone else come here." As the rest of the team surrounded Dumbledore, he snapped his fingers; suddenly they were back at Hogwarts, the brooms that they had left on the roof neatly stacked over to one side. "Harry, Hermione, before you go to bed." With a wave he transfigured the pair's torn and bloody battle gear to their normal school robes, complete with their heads badges. "Take a patrol around the castle, and make sure all who should be are in bed."




A/N: Hopefully that chapter is a little better in length.




Built by Text2Html

15. We Know Nothing, Nothing

I still own nothing really; Rowling pretty much owns this whole universe.
Chapter 15 We Know Nothing, Nothing.

**********************Riddle mansion***********************

November 1

"No Master, NO! Cried a small greasy man, visibly cowering at the presence of Voldemort.

Unfortunately for Peter however, Voldemort had just lost four months of work and at least eight of his followers to the grave or to the custody of the Order, which was most likely worse, at least from his perspective. Wormtail was guilty of the sin of being present, here and then, and therefore he must suffer. "You filthy, disgusting rat, CRUCIO!" Voldemort screamed, in a high eerie rasp.

"Master, there was no warning, they did not apparate in, at least some of then came in from above, but as to how they took out our sentries, without being seen?" Lucius Malfoy interjected, groveling over to one side. The hooded figure slowly turned to him, a slight, terrible red glow leaking from under his hood.

"It's because Dumbledore was returning a message. They almost reenacted the final mission of the Potters against me before I destroyed that deviant and his mudblood. Dumbledore wanted me to know that my attack on Potter and his friends had failed. I also noticed that your son was not able to warn us in time." Voldemort replied in a hissing voice, the implication obvious in his voice.

But Malfoy was not paying attention; he still could not believe that Granger had dared to start to come after him herself, or that for a brief instant he had felt a flash of fear at the prospect. "I can not believe that that mudblood Granger had the temerity to..."

"Silence, Malfoy. Or should Bellatrix have let the mudblood destroy you? She would have you know. She is more powerful than she lets herself believe. I have received Dumbledore's message. I will reply, but as to now..." Voldemort smiled coldly and returned to Wormtail to finish releasing his frustrations.

***************************Hogwarts*************************************

By the time Harry and Hermione made it down to breakfast, most of the Gryffindors were already present. Dean had already had his wounds fixed and had been back in bed by two. Ron had been kept in the infirmary in case he had a concussion, and to mend various cuts and bruises. The moment they returned, Luna had found out that he was in the infirmary and had borrowed Harry's invisibility cloak to stay with him last night. Which almost caused more harm than good, as Madame Pomfrey had almost started brewing potions when she came out of her quarters at three am and found Ron talking to the air.

Fortunately for his stomach, Luna had revealed her presence in time. After a half-hearted tongue lashing from the matronly nurse, somehow she had ended up being able to stay with him. Harry and Hermione had completed their patrol, and chased several Slytherins who had been sneaking towards the Owlry back to bed. They then had violated school rules again themselves, though each was too tired to do anything but cuddle. They took turns comforting each other when the nightmares came, holding each other in their arms.

Fortunately for their sanity if nothing else, this was a slow day. Since it was a Tuesday, Harry and Hermione only had Care of REALLY Dangerous Creatures, self-directed studies that they could do anytime, and even more History of Magic, which they could sleep in. Even Hermione had finally given up on Binns' classes and just read the books ahead, she didn't even try to take notes, usually she worked on S.P.E.W. or DADA work or just watched Harry sleeping. It wasn't like it mattered anyway, both of them were taking History of Magic for the hours only, as long as they passed they'd be fine. Though both of them had O's at the moment, due solely to reading the book, Merlin knows any interesting information that Binns might have spewed out of his spectral mouth had died of boredom before it could have reached their ears.

Lackadaisically they both munched their bacon and eggs, and with the ringing bell trundled down to Hagrid's cabin.

"'ELLO." Hagrid greeted them, fortunately for their peaceful morning; Draco was not in this class. Malfoy had received a P in his OWLs in magical creatures, probably because he was too busy making fun of the teacher. As this disqualified him from the NEWT level class, Harry and Hermione did not have to deal with him today, which was always a good thing.

But before class could truly start, Luna came running up to Hagrid and gave him a note. "Professor Hagrid, Ron had an accident last night and is in the infirmary, he slipped and hit his head, He's ok, but Madame Pomfrey was keeping him for observation, she asked me to give you this note." Luna played out the charade for the Slytherins, who unlike Malfoy had passed into NEWT level in this subject.

Not all the Slytherins were bad, truth be told some of them would probably join against the dark wizards if given a chance, but the chance could not be taken. Besides the few known to be on the side of light, the rest would have to prove which side they were on. The experiment from last year, where Harry had held the DA open for Slytherins was mostly a failure, as only one or two had showed up. The rest were either openly or covertly for the dark, or were too intimidated by their housemates.

Of course Hagrid, knew quite well were they had been last night, after all he had been sitting in a classroom, with McGonagall and some others, waiting to go in case they had needed additional help. As had Luna, Neville and Lavender for that matter. Luna had, uncharacteristically for her; paced back and forth the whole time Ron was gone. "Ok, thank you Miss Lovegood." She left with a small wave at Harry and Hermione and he addressed the rest of the class. "Today we will be looking at Griffins, does anyone know what purpose Griffins are sometimes used for?-'Ermione?"

"Well, sir," she started with a smile as Harry rolled his eyes. "Griffins like Sphinxes are often used by wizards to guard treasure. These creatures are believed to have originated in Greece, and only eat raw meat, preferably living."

"Correct as usual. Today we have Whiskey here to look at, isn't he beautiful?" The class dutifully applauded the creature, as Hagrid pointed out it's various features. The

The Gryffindors next went to History of Magic, where Hermione made out a quiz for her 2nd year DADA class to have fun with tomorrow, while Harry, Lavender, Dean and Seamus played a miniature game of Quiddich with torn up pieces of parchment Harry had enchanted to make minuscule players. Binns never noticed, even when the tiny snitch flew though one of his ears and out the other, he just kept droning on.

Finally escaping, Harry and Hermione grabbed a quick lunch and headed up to the infirmary. As they arrived they beheld Ron sitting up in bed with Luna hovering attentively over him. Luna must have skipped lunch and had gone directly up to see Ron. Walking up to them Hermione looked around, It's amazing, those two can be the flightiest people I know, but when they are around each other, its amazing the concentration they have towards each other. Sensing this thought, Harry agreed with a slight squeeze of her trapped hand.

The usual piles of get-well chocolate frogs and every flavor beans were pilled on the bedside table. Do we keep Honeydukes in business? Do they keep a special section called the get well Harry Potter and friends of Harry Potter section ready to go on an owl's notice? Harry asked himself more or less seriously.

"Oi mate," Ron cried out a little dopily after seeing Harry come in. " Madame Pomfrey said that she has had nameplates made up for our beds," and with this Ron, sure enough held up a brass nameplate with Ronald Weasley inscribed on it and pointed over to the "Harry Potter" bed which was indeed christened with a brass plaque bearing his name.

Before Hermione could see that she too now had a second bed in Hogwarts, Harry threw an arm around her shoulder and steered her so as the Hermione Granger bed was behind them.

"Harry" Luna asked languorously, holding Ron's hand, he was busy playing with the chocolate frogs. "Have you heard if any of the prisoners from last night talked yet? I can go help convince them," with an evil glint in her eye.

"Not that I'm aware of, but I don't think Moody needs help." Harry replied hastily, suddenly a little scared of the blond 6th year. Harry backed away just a touch from her, just in case, and shared a look with Hermione, she shrugged helplessly.

"OK" She replied with a weird smile and went back to playing with the frogs with Ron. Luna and Ron started some sort of odd contest with the chocolate frogs as Harry and Hermione watched; a touch amazed.

"We're going to go to the library now...and study, Ron, Luna" Hermione called back to the two as she grabbed Harry's hand and led them out the door, with a shared look. The pair of them backed up slowly until they escaped the room with a muffled laugh.

"OK" They heard back, followed by a soft CROAK from a chocolate frog.

"Mione" Harry murmured in her ear as the reached the hall. The hall was mostly empty at this time, still before afternoon classes resumed. Far down the hall they could see Crookshanks and Spooky, stalking something, probably a mouse.

"Yes love?" She replied, turning from the sight of her kneazle charging into a sprint after something small, brown and furry. Ginny's familiar followed, the pair of them breaking into a set of orange and gray streaks.

"You don't really want to go to the library do you?" Harry asked with a leer just for her. She just bit her bottom lip in response and waggled her eyebrows. With a tug on his hand she looked up and down the hallway. Seeing no one, she pulled him the length of the hall, down a set of stairs and around a corner.

"Not particularly" and with a mischievous grin decorating her lips and eyes, she pulled Harry into an alcove. Pressing a hidden switch, a patch of the wall rotated around taking them with it into a hidden passageway. With the instincts of a seeker, Harry seized the opportunity and pressed her against the worn smooth by time, stone wall. For her part, her hands knotted in his hair, pulling his face to hers. Small hands loosened a crimson and gold tie and pulled it over his head. At the same time, practiced fingers popped the clasp on a set of robes with red and gold trim, causing them to fall away. Hermione grinned against his lips as she pushed away from the wall a bit, eliciting a slight cat-like growl as she ground against him, her hands proceeding to explore hidden vistas.

After several minutes of a pleasant lack of higher brain functions, "Hermione?" Harry asked a little breathlessly, as a random, odd thought passed his mind's-eye, probably due to lack of blood in necessary cognitive areas.

"Yep," she cooed distractedly as Harry's hands slid up under her shirt, he fulfilled last nights promise as one hand was lazily playing with her belly button ring while the other was about a foot higher and to the left, working in small circles.

"Which one of those two was on the potions?" Harry asked rhetorically as she gasped slightly, with a slight tweak from his left hand.

A sudden realization as her brain belatedly processed the encounter with the two in the infirmary. Hermione almost bent double as she burst out laughing. And after a second more, Harry joined her, the pair of them collapsing on each other for support.

*********************Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts****************

Dumbledore sat nursing a cup of coffee, a slew of DADA papers on his desk. He smiled as he picked up Harry's; it was lying on top, the topic, a dissertation on the use of Patroni against Dementors and their limitations. He read through Harry's essay, smiling as he marked an O on the top and progressed to Hermione's, which just happened to be next in the pile. Not terribly surprising as she sat next to him, or bloody near in his lap, He observed with a small grin only seen by the phoenix in the corner who chirped at him in reply. With a sudden WHOOSH, an emerald flame erupted in the fire. Dumbledore set down the essay, and looked over to see Arthur's face hovering in the flames. With a small wave, Arthur nodded and came all the way through.

Arthur looked weary as he unfolded himself from the fire, and brushing off ashes, crossed to the guest chairs in front of the Headmaster's desk. He took the offered cup of coffee, more to settle his thoughts than for need of actual sustenance. Finally he nodded to Dumbledore, "So Arthur, what brings you here today?" Dumbledore inquired, marking an O on Hermione's paper, having decided it wasn't really worth his time reading three feet on the subject.

"The activities of last night have been called into question Albus." Arthur stated bluntly as he took a sip of his coffee. "The use of...students had been brought into question in some quarters. There is even talk that under Fudge no such thing would have happened."

Dumbledore nodded knowingly, he seemed to think about the topic for a bit then shrugged and looked down at Ron's paper. He seemingly read the first few paragraphs, noting absently that Ron's schoolwork had improved greatly, but really buying time, "And what would these...people have me do? And who are these people?" Dumbledore marked something on Ron's paper and took a sip of his drink.

Arthur grunted, "well besides Molly," They both chuckled briefly at that, "seems to be parents, but the curious thing is, it does not mostly seem to be any parents that were actually involved, though that could be due to who you had involved. I did get a howler from Finnegan's mum, but for the most part..."

"It was Harry, and your children except Ginny. Yes I know, and you know my reasoning behind that. However all of those who went on the raid, were of age, I did not take Ginny or Luna because of that fact." Dumbledore looked at him, and sighed, "Arthur...we can not fight with just the Aurors and the out of school members of the Order. There are too few. You have, what, a hundred Aurors in commission, with perhaps another twenty or so on the way as cadets. Even the ones that have had additional training in school, such as Miss Chang, will not be available until sometime this summer, and right now Harry and his compatriots are the best we can field. Let's face facts Arthur, the vast majority of the Order, is not fit for this, not really. Some of them were not the last time around, and now..."

Dumbledore sighed, his eyes suddenly haunted, "Emmeline and Secil both died at the Grangers, probably because, for all their skills, they never were fighters. I had too few to protect everyone at the time, and Tonks and Lupin, who are still assigned to protect Harry and Hermione, even though they don't know it, were with their primary responsibilities at the time, or in the case of Lupin, trying to get some sleep. Kingsley was off trying to look into a lead. Who else, Arthur, Merlin knows I would like to have more resources. I mean besides myself and those I just listed, there is Severus, who has to maintain his cover, Mad-Eye, who is still only one person, Minerva, who is too old really, and Hagrid who for all his other talents, is a middling wizard at best. There are the rest of the professors, of course, but I need them here, I must protect the school at all costs.

And even the Aurors for the most part, those few that have survived the last two years and Fudge's budget cuts before, were trained as police first, not as agents, or fighters, not how we are training the new Aurors, or Harry and his friends. They are being trained for war, not for peace. I just wish I had started earlier, twenty years or so...James and Lily are dead and Sirius is gone as well, there are few " Dumbledore looked down at Ron's parchment, and whispered, "I just hope my mistakes do not cost us all more than they have already."


A/N: Next Chapter, lets go to Hogsmeade.

Built by Text2Html

16. The Shrieking Shack Part Duex

A/N A brief interlude
Chapter 16 The Shrieking Shack Part Duex

*****************Hogwarts/Hogsmeade******************

November 12, 2005

The first Hogsmeade weekend that Harry, along with several others had been able to attend, had dawned bitterly cold. The November winds howled off the lake and swept across the courtyard, causing those students waiting for carriages to huddle together for warmth. Last scheduled Hogsmeade weekend, Harry and Hermione had elected to stay behind to allow all the prefects to go, as either a prefect or a Head student had to be in the castle. Harry had volunteered the both of them, as he knew her well enough to know that she hadn't wanted to celebrate anything at the time; it had been before the events of Halloween night. Even now, the hurt was still ever present, but she had had a measure of vengeance to help settle her thoughts. She still wanted Lucius' head on a platter, far more than Voldemort's even; she blamed him, rightly, for her parent's torture and murders.

As to Ron, he of course had his own issues with the Death Eaters over the death of Percy and the torture of his mother. However fortunately or unfortunately, he did not have the direct target to lust after that Hermione had. Over the last few months, Harry had experienced what Ron and especially Hermione had had to deal with in him for so long. God, I'm sorry guys. Harry thought mournfully as they stepped out of a thestral-drawn carriage, Hermione tucked into his side, once again to try not to see the harbingers of death.

This weekend would hopefully be different. As had happened in Diagon Alley months prior, the Gryffindors walked together down the street almost like a pack. The head lions and lioness leading the pack, while the rest of the pride followed along. It was funny in a morbid sort of way; so-called adult wizards would look at the teens coming down the street and would step out of the way. It wasn't as if they were impolite or even mean-looking per-say. The group was laughing and carrying on, teasing each other with every other breath. Most of them were even holding hands with someone, usually someone of the opposite gender. None of them were even wearing black. They should have looked as what they were; a group of friends out on what was basically an outing.

No it wasn't those behaviors, it was the occasional haunted look that would cross an eye or the way they would scan around as if they were expecting trouble, to jump out at any moment. They weren't really, it was just habit, habit hammered home by a hard school of experience. This group was more or less the one that had fought the Death Eaters and their minions to a standstill in these streets, not so long ago. The ones that held the line until the Ministry's Aurors and troops finally showed up, far too late to save almost twenty students and many townsfolk from the veil. Normal people just liked having the lions to guard them, they just got nervous when they came in the front door.

Even though the town had been repaired since last June, it still showed deep scars, and the new construction was in it's own way even more obvious. The old Honeydukes, which had taken a direct dragon blast at the beginning of the fight, was gone. A new franchise had been put up across the street even bigger than the first. Zonkos, which likewise had been destroyed, was recreated in the same place as it had been, but they were still trying to restock all of their merchandise. (To the relief of Flich, if no one else.) The group prowled into the Three Broomsticks, and went immediately to the large back table, that over the years; had become their unofficial table. As long as it doesn't get a nameplate, thought Harry, sarcastically as he pulled out a chair for Hermione.

Everyone except Harry sat down happily and looked up waiting. Harry rolled his eyes, as Ginny laughed at him from her spot next to Neville, and asked, "What does everyone want? butterbeers?, pretzels?" Somehow it was Harry's turn to buy, Actually it's always my turn to buy, how does that work anyway?

"Sure", "Yeah", "That's fine" rapidly came an agreeing chorus, with only one exception.

"How about a firewhiskey?" Shouted Ron, as Harry turned to give their order to Madame Rosmerta.

"NO!" came a unified cry from Hermione and Luna. They all remembered too well having to clean up after a hammered Ron before the house-elves could show up and possibly report the drunken prefect, after his youthful indiscretion with the hard stuff. The girls had had to clean up, and the scorgify charm never really gets rid of the smell, while Harry and Neville had taken great pleasure in tossing Ron under a shower to sober up the hard way.

"That'd be a beer mate." Ron muttered, his ears turning approximately the color of his Gryffindor scarf at the laughter that broke out at his discomfort.

Harry went and retrieved a couple of pitchers of butterbeer, along with some snacks and the group settled down to relax. With the exception of Ginny, and Luna, all of them had been together for six and half years now and they all knew each other's foibles, and every one of them came out over the beer, which rapidly grew into two more pitchers. Ginny and Luna were rapidly receiving an education on any possible screw ups or just plain stupid, but funny nonetheless, acts that their boyfriends may ever have done, Hermione after all had been there for most of Harry's.

After a while, the conversion started to come around to current events. Like the erstwhile family they have become, none of them wanted to hurt each other. But like young people every where and especially young warriors, however reluctantly, they started to talk about their past experiences, often with great embellishment. After a few minutes of conversion Hermione started to get slightly uncomfortable, elbowed Harry and nodded towards the door.

"We are going to go for a walk, I'll see you guys after a bit." Harry waved to the group and amid a chorus of good-natured, "BOOs", and suggestions about their "walk" they exited onto the street.

As the pair achieved the street, Harry slipped his arm around Hermione's waist to keep her warm and the two walked for several minutes snuggled in close. After a few minutes of aimless wandering, the pair ended up at the fence surrounding the Shrieking Shack. This brings back memories; it was hilarious how Malfoy and his cronies ran from the invisible monster. As he looked up at the shack itself though, but that place itself too brings up memories, first time I saw Sirius as a person, finding out that he didn't kill my parents. Damn it is there anywhere I can go to escape my past?

Hermione had sensed his thoughts, "Harry, we can't escape our past. The first time I was here...I thought Ron was going to hit on me. I'm glad that he chickened out. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to do this." With that thought and a wicked grin, she leaned into him to kiss him soundly on the lips.

"Remind me to thank Ron someday." Harry replied happily.

"I will."

"Harry," she grabbed his hand, and pulled, "lets go up to the shack."

"Sure, why not." Harry returned with a grin, After all, the shrieker left with Tonks this morning to go to London.

The house still stood abandoned after all of these years. No one went to the shack because of its fearsome reputation, or at least they hadn't until recently. It had become another occasional Gryffindor hangout over the last couple of years; after all, they knew that the house wasn't really haunted, only merely enchanted to look haunted. It was amazing when you thought about it, that in a town composed entirely of wizards, no one had ever really checked the place out.

"So what do you want to do?" Harry asked, with a lecherous grin plastered on his face as they reached the second floor room where they had met Sirius for the first time.

"Talk, love" Hermione responded seriously, after a moment.

"About?" Harry replied, his tone turning serious.

"Harry, now that I think about it, this place is ideal for this conversion, it's where you stopped Remus and Sirius from committing a murder and I almost did too or at least I was going to try, at the Smythe manor." There, it's out, finally. She had been thinking about what had happened on the raid, and that if it had not been for Harry, as usual; she would have been another of Lestrange's victims because of her rage at the elder Malfoy.

"Mione, I figure, it's about our kids." Harry started hesitantly.

"Do you know something I don't lover?" Hermione replied with a raised eyebrow, unconsciously placing her hands on her abdomen.

"Not that I can think of," a fleeting grin crossed both of their lips, "what I mean is this, you said it yourself, that night after the sorting." Harry pressed on determinately, through her troubled expression at the reminder. "That night, you said that Riddle had to be stopped, so there wouldn't be any more mothers tortured in their own homes. Hermione, you were shattered, hell most of are barely together by now, especially me, you know that better than anyone...But it has to end, and if that means killing a piece of shit like Lucius Malfoy then so be it. I want our kids and our friends' kids to grow up and be forced to sit in the back of Binns' class, while he drones on that Tom Riddle, AKA Lord Voldemort, was destroyed utterly on so and so date and that the wizarding world rejoiced. I don't want them to be like that poor Pierce girl, who on the first day of class was wondering how they would stop such an evil when he came for them. I don't want our kids to have to repeat what we have to repeat."

"I know, It's just that, I've..."

"Become a murderer? No love, avenging angel maybe." Harry responded with fervor in his eyes.

"I just don't want you to get hurt because of me." She replied softly.

"I love you, you love me, that's what matters in the end. In the end that's what separates them from us. When Remus, Alastor and I dropped on the roof, I almost didn't take out that guard, The only thing that let me do it, was that I was keeping you safe, if only for a little while longer, and the absolute confidence that you would do the same for me. A muggle once said no greater love can a man have for another than he would lay his life down for that person. When it's time to finish it, the fact that we are fighting for what we love and they are fighting for power is what will win the day for us."

"It damn well better, I may want to take you up on that kids offer" Hermione smiled at him, through eyes wet with tears.

"Now?" The mood appreciably lightened.

"No...but we can practice." With those words, the tension that had been building up in the room, exploded. Harry went to her and kissed her deeply, his tongue demanding entry to her lips, which he received for the asking. Peeling off her coat, he ran his hands down her back and to her small waist where they grasped the bottom of her top and peeled it off. At the same time, Hermione's questing fingers slid under his jumper, rubbing his stomach and chest. The jumper came off as he reached behind her back for the clasp of her bra. Every time, I see these I can't believe what the robes hide Harry thought gleefully. With the familiarity of practice, Harry used his hands to rub her breasts in a counterclockwise fashion, which according to visible clues was somewhat successful.

Hermione reached for his belt, whipped it off and unbuttoned his fly; Hungrily, Harry's hands fell to her jeans and hastily unzipped them. Kneeling, he pulled them down to her ankles; she kicked them to a corner. With a slight grunt, Harry grabbed her under her bum and lifted her onto him. Staggering back to a wall, Hermione's back crashed into it, dust flying from the impact. This sudden need to confirm that they were still alive was far too important. With an explosion that filled both their bodies and minds, they finally collapsed onto an old musty couch in the corner of the room, still intertwined in each other arms and bodies.

"BLOODY HELL" an exclamation sounded in the room, and both of their heads snapped around. Ron was standing on the landing, his face approximately the same color as his hair. Luna was beside him crushing his hand, trying desperately to look anywhere but at their friends. They probably had had the same idea, but Ron's lousy timing had struck again. As Harry saw the two standing there, he dropped his head to Hermione's chest. A second later he started laughing, he couldn't help it, Hermione joined him an another instant, and if at all possible Ron's face turned even redder.

After a minute of this mirth, "Mate." Harry said still laughing slightly "could you two step out side for a moment, please."

"Uhhhh, sure," Hastily grabbing Luna's hand, Ron led her down the stairs and outside the shack.

"Honesty, you know they're never going to let us live this down" Hermione started, a little wistfully, as she brushed an escaped lock of hair behind an ear.

"I know." Harry replied with a smile, "was it worth it?"

"Yeah."



A/N There ya go, a slight diversion from the darkness.

Built by Text2Html

17. Literary Stupidity

All of the characters herein are based on characters presented in JKR's Harry Potter Series, I just extrapolated.
Chapter 17 Literary Stupidity

*******************Hogwarts********************************
November 13, 2005

After the "encounter" at the Shrieking shack, Harry and Hermione used the secret passage from the shack to the Whomping Willow to sneak back to Hogwarts. It wasn't that people, especially the Gryffindors, didn't know that they were together. But they needed to plot their revenge ahead of time, vs. the expected onslaught of jokes and bad puns this incident would surely inspire.

With much trepidation, they went down to breakfast already cringing inside; ready for whatever Ron would come up with. After all he was related to George and Fred. But in an instant they were surprised. As they were entering the Great Hall, hands darted out, grabbed Harry and pulled him into a small side room. This of course, also brought Hermione along for the ride, as she had been holding his hand. The pair looked up to discover Luna and Ron standing in the cloakroom. Ron was looking slightly nervous, Luna, however was seemingly rather intent today and was holding onto Ron's arm like a little terrier. Like a terrier, she shook him and nodded meaningfully at the newcomers.

"Harry, Hermione, " Ron began, desperately trying not to meet their eyes. "We," a quick shake of the held arm, "I mean me, I was gonna make you two pay for that one forever, but I was convinced that would be wrong. After all that's what we were going there for."

"Maybe" Luna put in ambivalently, with rolled eyes, at his side.

"Ok maybe" Ron, corrected himself with a grin. "Anyway, damn Hermione." To which he received a quick WHACK to the back of his head with Luna's free hand.

"You two go on to breakfast, I need to discuss some things AGAIN, with dingleberry here. I hear they are serving snortcat today," Luna concluded with a feigned grimace at Ron.

"Suure, you two just do that." Harry said, a tiny smile fighting to break free. Walking out of the room, they started to hear small sounds that indicated a "discussion" starting to ensue.

"You know I used to have my doubts about that girl." Hermione muttered, thoughtful, as she and Harry walked to the Gryffindor table, where Neville, Ginny and Seamus were already eating. No one else seemed to be up yet. Sitting down and grabbing breakfast, Hermione leaned over and murmured, "Harry, what do you want to do today?"

"As much as I hate to admit it, we my dear, need to go the Library." Harry responded softly with a look of resignation weighing down his features. "I have to complete that essay from Dumbledore on the effects of the Diffindo charm vs. the Protegra Maxima charm. And I have to figure what the hell to teach the first years this week, and then I should probably get McGonagall's transfiguration work done."

"And we have to get that essay on Vertiaserum allergy reactions completed for Snape also" She put in with an air of annoyance. "Honesty, who cares about the bad guy's allergies anyway...though the secondary allergic reactions are interesting at least in how they affect the magical abilities of those who are allergic." Hermione finished thoughtfully as she worked out the permutations in her head.

"Hardcore dear" Harry replied, and gave her a peck on the forehead, after a minute of reflection, "Damn I forgot, how long was that thing?"

"Three feet, anyway if you and Ron, hadn't used those homework planners I got you two for Christmas fifth year as target practice, then maybe you would not have forgotten." Hermione shot back in an annoyed tone.

"Mione, we were bored, anyway do you actually use yours?"

"Well, not really," she admitted sheepishly, "I sort of just remember, I don't actually need it after I've written it down."

"The damn thing sounds like Umbridge." Harry whined, and looked at her with sad green eyes.

Damn he is right now that I think about it. "You're forgiven then" and kissed his cheek.

"What about Ron" Harry muttered through his grin.

"We'll see". Her eyes laughed, as she considered the question.

*****************************Hogwarts Library****************************

NEWT level classes strained even the brightest of students, and the two of them were ensconced in the library whittling on a pile of work. The pair had wandered back to Hermione's usual table where they were surrounded by piles of books and stacks of parchments. Harry and Hermione had been in the library for an hour when Ron, Luna, Neville and Ginny all staggered, in each carrying an overstuffed book bag. Luna and Ginny were actually getting off easy, as they had another year and a half until they had to take their NEWTS, the rest had to take them in May, assuming that they were all still alive of course. For once everyone was more or less actually studying, the books that was, though Harry was absently playing with Hermione's hair as she sat next to him, trying to determine the proper spell to transfigure a Siamese cat into a clock. Harry was using his other hand to occasionally turn the pages of a DADA book, he was looking for a way for his first years to practice level 1 stinging hexes, without him having to stand at the front of the class and hold a shield up the entire class. It was well within his ability to do so, even without his greater powers, but it would have been really annoying for an entire hour.

Across the table Ron and Luna were also kind of studying, well Luna, probably was, though the Transfiguration textbook was upside down. Ron however was almost in tears as he tried to figure out his Divination essay. Since Firenze was his NEWT professor in this class, he actually had to relate a real answer, unlike the old days, when he and Harry had just made predictions up for Trelwany, and to be honest, no one really understood Divination as centaurs did it, expect maybe Firenze. And because Frienze was a centaur, he wanted the signs interpreted as both humans and centaurs would do so and to compare and contrast the two viewpoints.

"Hermione, help?" Ron desperately gasped, holding out his essay.

"Sorry, Ron, remember I walked out of that class in our 3rd year and never looked back." Herm replied with a blinding smile and a small shrug.

"Luna, can we just go in the stacks and make out?" Ron asked with an air of desperation, after all if he failed, he might as well fail happy.

"Sure, Ronald, the hobgoblins will have left by now." she replied with a smile and jumped up into his arms.

Ginny looked up, sighing, from where she was sitting across from Neville. She was working on a report for Dumbledore, on throwing off the Cruciatus curse without outside help. This is pointless; the only one who has ever done that was Harry. She looked at Hermione, then at the stacks where her brother had just vanished, then back at Hermione. "Hermione?"

"Yep" Hermione inquired, as Ginny turned back to her report.

"When Ron flunks out of school, because he's too busy snogging, will you and Harry come to the Burrow with me, when I have to tell Mum? I have a feeling that I will need powerful wizards to get me out of there alive." Ginny grimaced without looking up from her parchment.

"Sure Sis." Hermione replied absently, absorbed in her book, fortunately multi-tasking was an old survival skill at Hogwarts; she turned the page and sighed softly.

"What do we have here? A pack of mudbloods, half-breeds and fuckups?" A drawling voice, sneered from behind them. Ginny groaned slightly as Harry rolled his eyes, and turned, slowly, deliberately, to face Malfoy.

"Malfoy," Harry snarled in a dangerous tone of voice, "I have a question for you." His right hand had dropped from Hermione, and covertly hovered near his wand.

"Yes, Potty?" Draco replied dismissively, an odd grin on his face.

"Are you insane or just fucking stupid? Get the hell out of here, before I have Ginny kick the shit out of you."

"Sending a girl to do your work for you Potter?" Malfoy replied with a sneer.

"No she's just closer, and I don't want to get your blood on my shirt, it's new." Harry said calmly in return. Ginny nodded amicably, and started to get up.

Malfoy had no comeback to that comment, but as he turned to beat a retreat, he couldn't resist one final parting shot. "Oh by the way mudblood, my father says to tell you hi."

That was almost his last comment, ever. Because as soon as the last word fell from his mouth, Hermione, who had been trying to just ignore him, suddenly snapped her eyes towards him, and as one both her and Harry's eyes started to glow bright blue. Standing suddenly, a series of whole shelves of books exploded, the books flying everywhere. Thundering footsteps were suddenly apparent as even without any clue as to what was going on, students ran for cover and Madame Pince started running to see what the problem was. Harry rose slowly, and as he fully stood up, the books thrown about by Hermione's blast started to rise from the floor and slowly started to rotate around the room like a very slow tornado.

Ginny and Luna looked a little fearful, not for their own safety, but for what their friends could and would do. With both of them out of control, no one present could calm them down, and Malfoy was dead if at least one didn't come back to their senses in the next few seconds and got the other to calm down. Unknown to everyone here, this was exactly the situation that their Head of House was fretful about only months ago.

Fortunately, she was not quite correct this time. No one could calm them down, except maybe Ron. Taking a steadying breath, he looked at the duo and realized that for once, that Harry was probably the easiest to get though to. Ron hurried over to Harry and grasping his shoulders, gently shook him, and then with no response, he shook him hard enough to rattle his head. "Harry, damn it, not like this. We'll get him some other time." Harry slowly looked over at him with his eerily glowing eyes, and as Ron watched a little fearfully, the glow faded from Harry's eyes and he shook his head.

As soon as Harry returned to his senses, he wrapped Hermione in both his arms and with his voice, mind and arms, managed to calm her down too. Around them, the books that had been hovering dropped to the floor with a resounding series of thuds, like a giant hailstorm.

"Malfoy" Harry said in a snarl after a very long silent moment. "You will leave here right now and go directly to your dorm. As of right now as your Prefect's badge is suspended pending review by Dumbledore. Additionally you are restricted to your house until Dumbledore's review." Harry did not let go of Hermione, as he said those words, they both glared at the Slytherin together. Ron slipped to Hermione's other side, just in case, his hand on his wand.

"Just who are you to do that?" Draco asked disbelievingly.

Harry took a deep, calming breath as he felt a rush start to come back, "I'm Head Boy you dumbfuck, and you just stepped over the line all the way. You have just verbally assaulted the Head Boy and Head Girl of Hogwarts along with two prefects with what could be construed as death threats in front of witnesses. Get the hell out of here now, or I will have you escorted there." The threat was carefully unuttered, but it was the there all the same, as two Gryffindor prefects, and one Head Girl, all glared at him, the prefects at least, with their hands conspicuously resting on the hilts of sheathed wands.

Malfoy looked at the group bitterly but walked off without a word, finally realizing how stupid it had been to start something without backup.

Harry let Hermione out of his arms and grabbed one of her hands. "Come on Mione, we better go report to Dumbledore, I may have just pushed my authority too far." He muttered quietly. As they began to turn for the door, a tall form appeared in the room.

"No Harry, you did correctly," A slightly amused, but trying to hide it, voice replied from above and behind Ginny.

"EEK" Ginny jumped as Dumbledore appeared behind her. She turned and glared accusingly at him, but for his part he just smiled at her, he loved doing that; after all he had to practice for 143 years to get it right.

"How long have you been there Professor?" Harry asked tiredly, not quite annoyed with his Headmaster, and still secretly his eldest relation.

"I came in at the end, right as you two got calmed down." Dumbledore replied wryly, and paused before he continued in a thoughtful tone. "That was an interesting demonstration, Hermione, though I think the one in King's Cross station was more effective."

"Professor, I apolo.." Hermione stammered an apology as she started to flush a light pink.

Dumbledore just shrugged, and airily waved his hand, "No need Miss Granger, if one pokes the lion with a stick, one must expect to get bit. It's a pity Mr. Malfoy does not seem to grasp the wisdom of that statement. I will let your suggestions stand for a while Harry; however I will have to reinstate his badge after a couple of weeks or so as he never actually assaulted you with force or magic, only verbally. In the future, however, I'm sure the librarian would appreciate if at least one of you kept your head.

With a wave of his wand, the Library was restored in an instant to the way it had been, the shelves repaired themselves, the books sorted themselves neatly in mid-air before flying back to their proper places.

Dumbledore turned to leave, but stopped and raised a long finger, as if remembering some trivial little detail, "Oh Mr. Weasley, before I forget, I need to return this" Dumbledore held out Ron's prefect badge, an utterly blank expression on his face. "It seems to have been found in that unused cloakroom at the entrance to the Great Hall. I don't know how it could have happened to get in there, but you should keep better track of it."

"Thanks, Professor" Ron took the badge as he turned about the color of his hair. Luna, who was still standing beside him, seemed to be studying the carpet awfully intensely, as Dumbledore meandered out of the Library, whistling a tune by the Weird Sisters, to the non-verbal annoyance of Madame Pince.

*****************Hogwarts, dungeons outside of Potions***********************

Ron and his classmates were coming out of a Potions class, where for once, all of Gryffindor House had escaped without points lost, in fact Slytherin was docked twenty points when Malfoy screwed up a potion and caused Snape's skin to turn a bright, verdant green. It was a weird day. Ginny came up with the other 6th year Gryffindors and grasping his hand, jumped up gave Neville a peck on the cheek. She along with the other 6th years had the next Potions class, which if judging by Snape's mood of a few seconds ago, boded only ill for them. Standing with Neville she looked over at Ron, with an odd contemplative expression.

"Oh Dear Brother." Ginny asked with a glint in her eyes.

"Yes" Ron replied with a slight sense of foreboding, and a sudden sense to hide behind Harry, if only he wasn't several inches taller.

"I was wondering if you would have it in your heart to invite Neville over to Christmas at the Burrow? Please?" Ginny looked up at her brother, her brown eyes pleading.

"Gin he's your boyfriend" Ron said with a sigh. Really not wanting to lie to his mother about why Neville was over for Christmas, yeah Neville was a close friend, but mum would figure it out and blame him, somehow.

"Ginny" Neville looked at her, his face going pale, "are you ashamed of me?" With a hurt look on his face and eyes that were wide in the torchlight, "I, mean I. No that I'm not...

"Oh God no honey, God no, " Ginny replied with sudden horror at the thought, "it's just that, Mum still has that little girl thing with me, and..." she stopped awkwardly. "I just didn't want you to be alone this holiday Neville, I know that your Grandma is going to visit your cousins in Romania, and I.... Well fuck it if mum can't understand then I'll just stay here with you." She grabbed Neville's hand and pulled him close to her, a slightly humorous sight as she was at least a foot shorter then him, or at least it would have been if it were anyone else.

Harry and Hermione, glanced at each other warily I guess we better break it to them Harry thought.

I was going to let Dumbledore...and Ron was looking forward to going home. Hermione replied, again without speaking.

Chicken dear? He thought back, though he also didn't want to break the news. After all they had gotten used to leaving the castle for Christmas over the last couple of years. And in particular he had been hoping for Hermione and him to be able to spend sometime alone at Grimmauld place, or at least with Remus and Tonks in the place, after all Sirius wouldn't mind. Though he was sure they would have joined the rest of their family at the Burrow for Christmas Eve and Day.

While the two had their mental conversion, the rest of the group looked on. They had all figured out what was going on when Harry and Hermione shut up, and now tolerantly ignored them. "You two do know that's kinda rude leaving us out of the conversion, mate, especially when we are all standing here." Ron said with a grin, trying not to laugh at his adoptive sister and his de facto brother.

"Sorry Ron, actually we were trying not to have to let you guys know." Harry paused a second and then went on. "Dumbledore told us this morning that the six of us get to stay here for Christmas. "

"What?" the incredulous objection came from several people at once.

"Yep, Hagrid picked up a rumor that some of the DEs that we captured at the Ministry are still holding a grudge, and that Voldemort was going to hit something over Christmas, probably as retaliation for our taking out his safehouse." Harry said with a slight frown.

"What about Grimmauld Place?" Neville asked hopefully, as he had rather liked the idea of a Christmas with Ginny, and away from his grandmother.

"Moody and Dumbledore don't fully trust the defenses there either after, you know." Harry finished uncomfortably as he didn't want to remind the others of that day in August. However the only response he got was a supporting squeeze and a small smile, "Anyway, Ron and Ginny it looks like the family is coming to you, the rest of the Weasley herd is to stay in the guest quarters over break."

"Damn it that means I can't loose the sweater and say Dobby took it again" Ron said absently, grimacing at the thought of yet another sweater.

"Ronald" Hermione snapped, exasperated at the thought that Ron was blaming his misdeeds on a house-elf, and one that was their friend to boot. He quickly started walking off as Harry distracted her for the sake of Ron's safety. As soon as he escaped out of earshot, Hermione laughed, "Oh, I think he thought I was serious."



A/N Next chapter Christmas Break.


Built by Text2Html

18. Happy Holioday Part 1

Chapter 18 Happy Holidays part I.
***************Somewhere**************************

December 21, 2005

In a dimly lit room somewhere in Europe, a hooded figure sat. The sullen red glow that came from under the hood hid the features of the face beneath. The room itself fit the figure; the only light was from a fireplace in the corner of the room and a pair of small oil lamps along the walls. The person, if it was one, seemingly spoke to the air. "Wormtail, are the preparations ready?"

And with that statement, a rat that had been scurrying along the baseboards stopped, looked at the man and...slowly transformed. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling in size and slowly changing to the shape of a short, stooped man. "Yes, Sire," the man/rat, answered. "Dumbledore has pulled his champions in to the so-called protection of the school. All are out of the way for our strike."

"Good," Voldemort replied in a hiss. "With Arthur Weasley, and Potter, along with the rest all combined at Hogwarts, few will remain to guard the Ministry itself. Potter and his friends may have defied me before, but there are other secrets to be had there. Secrets which even that old fool does not know about his precious school."

*****************************Hogwarts***********************************

Harry was sleeping. Ever since his mastering of Occlumency, the shared visions from Voldemort that once plagued him were no more, and while nightmares were not uncommon, tonight this was neither. A pure spike of emotion from his foe snapped through his mind, and his infamous scar suddenly burned with a white-hot flame. Harry snapped awake with a screamed "NO!" Sitting up and cradling his head in his hands, he heard the sound of bare feet running, and a second later Hermione dashed into the room.

"Is it?" She whispered, a touch of something coloring her voice.

"Yeah the scar hurts." Harry muttered, annoyed.

"But no thoughts got though?" She inquired worriedly. Hermione bit her lip nervously, as she stood waiting for his response.

"No, but I can tell the fucker is happy about something. I'll tell Dumbledore in the morning." Harry reassured her, with a grimace.

Pensively Hermione met his eyes, she asked softly, "Harry, can I stay?" as she sat down beside him on the bed.

"Please" He replied. Since they were after all, Head Boy and Girl they at least pretended to obey school rules, and for the most part they at least started the night apart. However tonight, as with many nights, they ended up together before the night was through. Most of the time the intent was not even carnal, though it often ended that way, but that they needed the physical contact to hold the nightmares at bay. This, on occasion, had ended up with a reprimand or two, the most famous of which had been a thirty minute spleen venting session by McGonagall, after she came to get Hermione's help with a first year female student, that was homesick one night, and found Harry holding Hermione in her room. But even then McGonagall had only about half her heart in it, and she later apologized after the safehouse raid. By then the war had given everyone enough nightmares.

Hermione curled up against him and Harry pulled the covers over them both. Harry kissed the top of her hair snuggled into his chest. After a moment she fell asleep, and Harry followed soon after, the dreams held at bay for another night.

December 22, 2005

Ron, had it a little tougher, as he and Luna didn't share a separate common room like the one the two Head students shared, not to mention the fact that Luna lived with 2 other girls. Though if he really wanted to, he now had the magical skill to get up the infamous girls stairs, he had learned from Harry and Hermione after all. Dumbledore was once overheard muttering to McGonagall that after this group finally graduated, he was going to have to improve all the magical charms. After all, between, Harry, Ron and Hermione, he wasn't sure if there was a magical charm, guard or ward on his school that they hadn't defeated yet, except the anti-apparation ward, and he wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't defeat that too. Actually he was privately convinced that Harry and Hermione probably could by main force if they thought they really needed to, it was after all, one of the ways way he did the trick of getting around the ward, though the least subtle.

Although Ron had been disappointed about not leaving school for Christmas, he had gotten over it quickly. For one brief instant, he had thought of the possibilities of sharing a more or less abandoned dorm with his girlfriend. In fact he was on the verge of talking to Neville to arrange some sort of signal, when his hopes were crushed by a kind thought.

Dumbledore had reasoned that since the Weasleys were forced to spend the holidays at Hogwarts, then he would magically attach the visitors' quarters to the Gryffindor common room. Which since Hogwarts was continually rearranging itself anyway, was easily enough done. This kindness, of course, had squashed any idea of easy midnight trysts with Luna. In fact he had looked so downhearted when he received the news of the rearrangement and worked out the implications, that Harry had for a second, almost offered his room for Ron to share with Luna, and he would stay with Hermione. But just as soon as the thought crossed his mind he dropped it, unmentioned, almost as fast. For two reasons, first it would be unfair to Ginny and Neville and second, he like any relatively sane individual did not want Molly mad at him.

The rest of the castle was almost abandoned of students. Except for Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville and Ginny, all of the rest of the Gryffindors had gone home to their families. With the current times, most Wizarding families wanted their entire families home for Christmas if at all possible. The remainder of the castle was similarly empty; there was a single Ravenclaw student staying, and a couple of Hufflepuffs. And to everyone's unstated relief, there were no Slytherins remaining over the holidays for once. Even Draco had gone home, supposedly, though both of his parents were on the lam together. Lupin and Tonks had tried to follow him to see if he was meeting up with them but they lost him after the third apparation he performed in a row to throw off pursuit. Disgusted, they gave up and came back to the castle.

Of the professors, however, the majority was present and except for Snape, was ambling about the castle with an air of the Holiday sprit, even though several of them were obviously forcing it. Hagrid had just dragged a giant tree in from the forest, seemingly big enough to almost reach the ceiling in the Great Hall and Professor Flitwick and Tonks were trying to decorate it. Finally, they gave up on trying to levitate up to the top of the tree, it was twenty feet up, and had Harry fly up to the top on his firebolt, to the applause all of those present. Upon witnessing Harry flying in the hall on a broomstick, McGonagall was overheard to say "Hell what's one more school rule," as she sipped a cup of hot chocolate.

In a way, despite the lack of students, the castle was actually crowded for Christmas, especially with Charlie, Bill, Fleur, George, Fred, Molly and Arthur in the guest quarters, along with Remus and Tonks who had quarters as adjunct professors and Moody, who just had quarters here, Arthur's protective detail of five Aurors, and the entire teaching staff along with the students that had stayed. Counting everyone, the castle probably had the most people it had had for Christmas for many years.

Harry and the rest of the remaining Gryffindors went down together for breakfast and found the entire Weasley clan in attendance and in rare form. Molly was busy arguing with Arthur over something. His Auror protective detail was obviously debating if they should try to protect the Minister or themselves; they wisely chose the better part of valor and retreated. Fred and George were trying to convince Charlie that if he could get them some dragon blood, it would make a fine ingredient for some of their products. Fleur was sitting with her husband Bill, and was clearly wondering once again what she had been thinking when she married into this family. As the students came into the hall, Molly smiled and waved them over, immediately dropping the argument with Arthur, much to his relief. The only awkward moment came when Molly noticed Ginny holding Neville's hand, with a slightly defiant air. Fortunately for Ginny's continued normal blood flow, Molly just leaned over and gave her a hug, kissed her cheek and whispered, "congratulations Ginny, he's a good one."

Ginny looked shocked for a second, she had been gearing up for something, like when Ron had had Luna over and had been almost been caught in a compromising condition, by Molly. Molly's continued bliss had been saved by a one-minute delay to pick up a pile of discarded clothes. Fortunately for her non-married children's hormone levels, Molly had relaxed a great deal since the events of this summer. Now as long as her kids were happy, then she was fine with it, they were still alive to be happy after all, assuming that they didn't push it, like Ron obviously sleeping with Luna in the same room would have done. Arthur, however still occasionally caught her acid tongue, as she probably would have exploded otherwise.

After the new arrivals sat, "May we join you? Dumbledore asked from behind Harry, accompanied by McGonagall, Remus and Tonks. "Yes, please," Harry, responded and the group shuffled around to allow them to sit. As there were only a relatively few present, Dumbledore had had the normal great tables removed and a smaller table suitable for those that remained to dine together.

"Ah bacon, I love bacon" Dumbledore muttered as he dug in. Harry smothered a laugh at his Grandfather. A relationship that he had not yet revealed to anyone including Hermione, it just hadn't seemed the proper time yet for some reason.

"Harry, have you gotten your shopping done yet?" Remus asked when Hermione stepped out for a second to go to the bathroom. Of course, this comment instantly drew the attention of several of the people at the table, including most of the Weasleys and Tonks, who was almost sitting in Remus' lap.

"Umm, yeah" Harry replied and the group went back to what they had been doing with an audible sigh, what was that about? As Hermione came back into the room and Harry's gaze automatically went to her, OHH, I know what they were all wondering.

"What who was wondering dear?" Hermione responded verbally to his thought without thinking. The jaws of the older Weasleys dropped, they hadn't seen the mental shorthand of the two in action before and they weren't used to the half spoken, half silent conversations the two of them would occasionally have with out realizing it.

"Nothing dear heart" He replied, careful to keep his thoughts neutral.

"Ok then." Hermione shrugged as she sat back down next to him, "Harry can you help me wrap the rest of our presents to everyone?"

Somewhat exasperatedly, to the amusement of the other breakfasters, "Mione, we are wizards, how much do we have to wrap that it would take more than one person." Harry inquired, an eyebrow raised.

"But they are so much more personal when you hand wrap them." Hermione replied with a lightly hurt look.

"Okay then" Harry gave in, though there hadn't really been any doubt, and from the quickness that her expression changed he knew that it had been an act.

The rest of the breakfast finished quickly with the Gryffindor students along with the older Weasleys agreeing to a pick up Quiddich game, heck they did have the whole field to themselves. The teams were short, with only five per so they agreed to play without bludgers or beaters. In the end, Harry, of course, caught the snitch, narrowly beating out Ginny, who was perhaps the second best seeker in the school after Harry. Even Hermione was playing on Harry's team, she had become much, much more proficient on a broom after she became an animagi a year ago, Harry hadn't been lying to Dumbledore when he had told him that Hermione was more than qualified to land his broom during the safehouse raid.

Dumbledore knew quite well her animagus abilities, he had been trying to win with a loosing hand, and had to try to make up an excuse to keep her back, but now she was probably as good as any except Harry on a broom. She even had her own broom now, a twin to Harry's firebolt, that he bought her when she truly got the hang of flying, on a broom that was. She had protested the cost slightly, but had been mollified that it wasn't like he would miss the money; the combination of the Potter and Black fortunes that he had inherited from Sirius was substantial and kept growing, he would be hard pressed to spend the interest alone.

Of course, the more persuasive argument, that he sincerely hoped that someday it would be hers as much as his someday anyway actually held the most weight. And actually unknown to her, it was already at destined for it to be hers whether or not he survived to share it with her. If he didn't survive long enough to give her the contents of a certain ring box that currently resided in his Gringott's vault, he had secretly, with Dumbledore's assistance, arranged for his will to name her as his main beneficiary. If Voldemort got him, at least she would be taken care of. Harry made sure that he tried not to think about those subjects while she was around lest he reveal their existence. But to make it even it more difficult, he was thinking more and more about that ring and he was going to see if he could arrange to retrieve it soon.

After the game ended, Harry sent Hermione back up the castle with the rest of the crew, as he explained that he wanted to ask Dumbledore something. He had come down to watch the impromptu game, as it was the majority of the entertainment at the castle for the few days before Christmas. "Professor, can I?"

"Harry there is no one else here."

"Ok," with a smile, "Granddad, can I ask a favor?"

"Yes, Harry." Dumbledore replied, twinkling.

" I know that you don't want us, or rather me, to go outside of Hogwarts or Hogsmeade during the school year, but I was wondering if you would..."

"Be willing to escort you to pick up a certain item at Gringott's? Certainly, I have already talked to Lupin and Moody and they think for such a vital purpose we could risk such a mission." Dumbledore pronounced, grinning for all he was worth.

Harry rolled his eyes, as if to ask for strength from above, "How long have you known?"

"That you would marry the girl, oh since about your first or second year, No definitely your second year, I wasn't quite sure that first year." The Professor responded, looking back over memories. "Harry have you noticed that sometimes it's not the happy events that drive us together but the sad ones. Fortunately you two have had both, I think I knew when I saw her in the hospital waiting for you to wake up after the your first encounter with Riddle, here. I was sure, after she was paralyzed in her 2nd year and you snuck in to be with her. I remember that Poppy used to come to me and complain about you two always sneaking right back in if she kicked one of you out, when the other was in the infirmary. I understand she has beds named after you two and Ron now."

"Unfortunately" Harry groaned

"Putting that aside, when do you want to go get that item?"

"After Christmas, before classes really begin? But we will need to come up with something to keep her here, otherwise she will want to go along with me." Harry responded thoughtfully.

"Don't worry, I will have Minerva have her do something or other, it is good to be the Headmaster. Come on your friends are waiting." Dumbledore headed off towards the castle whistling a jaunty tune, his robes billowing a bit in the December breeze.

**************************Gryffindor Tower, Hogwarts**********************
December 24, 2005 Christmas Eve
11:45pm

"Night Ron, Gin, everyone." Laughter and jokes about just what he would be doing for the night followed him up the stairs. He chuckled as he closed the door to the stairs, just barely clearing Crookshanks' tail as he swung the heavy oak door shut. Crookshanks looked up at him reproachfully and Harry just shrugged. The wizard and the familiar turned together towards the fire and the couch positioned in front of it. The flames were roaring, providing the majority of the light in the room, which was plenty for the cat and the animagi to witness a head of brown curls, bent low.

Hermione's shoulders were shaking slightly and small weeping sounds came from the young woman as Harry and Crookshanks shared another look and without a pause, the pair sprinted towards her. She had been fine just a half hour ago, when she had bid the rest of them good night in the main common room below. As Harry came around the couch, he saw that Hermione was sitting curled up, her legs pulled under her, looking down at what seemed to be a photo album, and from the fact that none of the pictures were moving it must be a muggle one.

Crookshanks leapt up on the back of the couch and sat peering over his mistress' shoulder at a picture of him in the arms of a few years younger Hermione, she was smiling hugely as she held up the cat to the camera. Crookshanks had a Santa hat on, and Harry smiled briefly as he remembered the picture. Hermione had had him take it with a muggle camera to send home to her parents, that year that Sirius had escaped. The picture next to it, showed a much younger Hermione grinning hugely and missing her front two teeth. In the picture, Roger and Jane had their arms around their daughter laughing, while a huge tree glittered in the background. Harry sat down next to her silently and waited for her to speak.

She turned to look at him, and gave him a sad little smile. Silver tracks of tears traced down her cheeks as she wordlessly collapsed into his shoulder. Quiet sobs racked the otherwise silent room for a long few minutes before she finally spoke. "I had this plan...I was going to invite you over for Christmas this year. You know how I like to plan..." Harry just nodded in response. "I mean I got to have Christmas with them last year, but we know how that came about, don't we?"

"Yeah, Mione, we do." Harry replied softly, as he kissed the top of her head.

"I was going to give you a normal Christmas baby." Hermione whispered, "I mean you've been to the Burrow for the holidays, but you never just had a nice, normal quiet Christmas."

"Hermione"

"Yeah, Harry"

"What was it like?" Harry leaned back to lay down on the couch lengthwise, gently pulling her down with him. "I mean what was it like to...you know."

Hermione leaned back into his chest and burrowed into his arms. Harry tightened them in response. "It was warm, and I don't mean the temperature." She nodded slightly as to herself, "Mum would always cook entirely too much for Dad and I and we used to exchange presents in front of the fire. They would always be there, both of them made sure that they wouldn't get any calls or interruptions. Then after we exchanged presents we would go and dad would read Dickens, or mum would play the piano and we'd sing along to carols." She sighed heavily, and choked down a sob, "I miss them so much Harry."

"Dumbledore told me something once." Harry whispered to her, "The ones we love, never really leave us. We keep them inside ourselves for when we truly need them."

"Thanks Harry." Hermione murmured, her tone turning brighter.

"For what?"

"For being you dear." She gave him a little grin as she curled in a tightly as she could possibly do so. Her hair fell forward with her movements, hiding her face as she pillowed her head on his shoulder. "g' night Harry." Harry replied similarly as he took off his glasses and tossed them under the couch onto the floor, and closed his eyes.


Built by Text2Html

19. Happy Holidays Part 2


Chapter 19 Happy Holidays Part II

**************************Gryffindor Tower, Hogwarts**********************

December 25, 2005 Christmas

"Aw aren't they cute?" Ron whispered to his coconspirators; Luna, Ginny and the twins. He smiled evilly at the vision of Harry and Hermione asleep on the Head's common room couch, wrapped up together and seemingly oblivious to the world. After the two of them had left the rest of the erstwhile family gathering in the lower, main common room last night, they must have came up here and ended up snuggling on the couch and fell asleep. Harry's glasses have fallen off his face to the floor and Hermione's hair was covering her face, where it was snuggled into his shoulder.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Do you really want to surprise them?" Ginny queried with a sense of foreboding. Then, with a quiet sigh, she relented, "oh what the hell." She was a Weasley after all.

Meanwhile on the couch, all was not as it seemed. Are you ready, Mione?

Of course, they should know better after all, With a projected image of a grin. Can you hit them without your glasses? I'm glad my hair is hiding my face or I'd be laughing.

I'm just the shield you have to aim here. You mean you're not already laughing?


Ron nodded to the others:
The ambushers: "Appero Snowball."
"FIRE!" Ron yelled, then almost at the same instant from Ginny, "AW SHIT"

For at that instant, the supposedly sleeping ambushees snapped up and...
At the same instant, Harry flicked his hand in a slashing movement, "PROTEGO", a glittering shield appeared as Hermione snapped "Reverus Objectus," the five incoming snowballs stopped in flight and shot straight back at the throwers. Nailing four of the five would-be pranksters, only Ginny with a half second's warning and seeker reflexes almost as good as Harry's, managed to dodge that returned shot.

"Bloody hell" a perplexed Ron groaned, as he wiped snow from his face, and glared at the laughing pair.

"Come on mate, there's presents to open downstairs," Harry put his arm around the shoulder of his best friend and steered him to the steps. "Mione, can you get our presents for everyone?"

"Sure, Harry" Hermione turned from Ron "Locomotor presents" a pile of presents floated out the door of her room, through the Head's common room and down the stairs to the main Gryffindor common area.

After Harry managed to get Ron to descend the stairs, Ginny asked, "How"

"How what?" Hermione beamed at the tiny witch, and stretched a bit.

" I know how you deflected the snowballs, the whole greatest wizard and witch of your age thing gives that away, but how did you catch us?" Ginny stood, hands on hips as she waited for an answer.

"Oh I heard it when Ron stepped on Crookshanks' tail," Hermione replied with a shrug, her brown eyes twinkled just at bit as she responded.

"Foiled by a cat, Damn." Ginny rolled her eyes, but a grin lit her face as Hermione gave her a sisterly hug.

"Indeed, kind of funny that you are one, isn't it?" Hermione philosophized, as the pair followed the presents and their friends down the stairs to the main common room below, Ginny just gave a shrug in mute response, making a mental note to change and have a talk with Crookshanks later.

Down below, the presents were pilled high about a seven-foot spruce that had not been there the night before. Before he had come to Hogwarts, Harry had not experienced a Christmas were he was actually appreciated and actually received presents. The Dursleys had almost never even acknowledged his presence at Christmas, besides having him make the meals or carry Dudley's ever-increasing pile of presents up to his spare bedroom. Now that he stayed away for Christmas, they often made a point of giving him a present, however it was usually things like a broken toothpick, or a single sheet of toilet paper, or this year, a dirty sock, one so smelly that upon being given it to carry to Harry, Hedwig had immediately dumped it behind the telley at the Dursleys. They were still trying to find the smell, a week later.

Harry however, had never passed up the opportunity to give presents to his friends and this year was no different. This was the first year that he and Hermione had been a couple however, so for the most part, the pile of presents that Hermione had levitated down the stairs was from both of them.

The extended family was pilled around the main Gryffindor common room, munching on Christmas snacks that had appeared overnight, probably thanks once again to Dobby. With a small smile, Harry used his wand to send a box over to Ron. Ron was leaning back on the base of one of the couches next to Luna's legs, where she sat staring down at him. "Catch"

Ron glanced up and on noticing the package was from both Harry and Hermione, yelled over "Thanks" and tore open the package; "Cool" he muttered, on seeing that the package contained one of the new official Chudley Cannons away jerseys, his favorite Quiddich team.

"It has a perpetual sizing charm on it." Hermione explained over to him, "So you won't out grow the thing". Ron just smiled at the reminder of him perpetually outgrowing clothes; it was a reoccurring headache for Molly.

The rest of them tore into the presents, Ginny received a nice necklace from Neville who in turn got a Herbology field kit; it was his favorite hobby. And all of them including Neville, received the infamous Molly Weasley Christmas sweaters. Unwrapping hers, Hermione leaned over to Harry, "we have matching "H" sweaters," she said with a laugh.

"Yeah, but I prefer the way yours looks on you." He replied with a smirk.

"Harry", she punched his arm in feigned exasperation and then made up for it with a quick kiss.

Hermione opened the presents from Harry, a set of diamond earrings and a signed first edition of Hogwarts a History that he had found last year in the back of the book shop in Hogsmeade. "Oh Harry...Thank You" and gave him a much longer kiss. Pulling a present from the pile, she gave it to Harry. "Here love"

Harry instantly opened the present and found a snitch. "Umm?" He asked with a raised eyebrow as he peered into the box then over at her. He already had a few of these.

"Look at it, Hun." Hermione instructed, biting her lower lip as if she was nervous that he might not like it. Obediently, Harry looked more closely at the golden winged ball. On the snitch was engraved in flowing letters: to Harry James Potter, the seeker of my heart, you have captured me forever. Love Hermione.

A lump suddenly formed in his throat, and Harry fell silent. After a moment, Harry regained his voice and whispered, "It's beautiful, come here"

After another minute or two, "Ah hem" Ron cleared his throat. "Will you two get a room?" Ron's eyes were twinkling as he glanced over to them, from his floor side perch.

With a hidden wink to Hermione, Harry replied, "We already have one" and jumped up and grabbed Hermione's hand. They managed to take a couple of steps before they broke out laughing at Ron's expression, he really thought they were going to go up to their rooms with the whole family in the common room. Molly and Arthur had seen Harry's wink and they laughed along with the others at their youngest son.

Soon everyone except Ron had handed out his or her presents, and suddenly he looked nervous. He glanced about everywhere, except up at Luna who was sitting right above him on the couch.

Harry nudged Hermione. She was half sitting on his lap looking at her new copy of Hogwarts a History. Look at Ron, Harry muttered with a thought. He tossed a new toy from the couch to Crookshanks, who picked it up and walked over to Spooky as if to show it off.

Hermione's eyes flicked up from her book, then back to it, she snuggled closer to Harry and replied silently, Weird, why won't he look at Luna? She asked as Harry absently kissed her cheek.

You don't think he forgot to get her a present do you? Harry returned along with the mental impression of a shrug, as his fingers idly played with her hair.

No, he's forgetful enough, but I don't think...Oh, shit is he going to? Hermione suddenly flashed to what must be the answer. She jerked upright, her head barely missing Harry's nose.

Going to what.... OH. Harry suddenly realized, with a shock like being hit with a bludger. A small grin graced his lips, which he quickly hid.

By now, the rest of the Weasleys had discerned that something was up. They all fell silent and waited for the shoe to drop. As one they turned to look at the youngest male Weasley.

Visibly taking a deep breath, Ron finally looked up at Luna, who looked back down at him her usual small smile. "Yes, honey? You shouldn't keep your mouth open, you know how kneazles are?" She asked, sensing a question.

Crookshanks and Spooky as the only kneazles present looked up quizzically from their new cat toys obviously wondering just how they were?

Meanwhile....

You actually have to ask her, mate, if you are doing what I think you are trying to do. Harry thought hard, though Hermione was probably the only one who heard the thought. She just squeezed his hand from her perch in his lap as she leaned forward intently.

But perhaps Ron did hear the thought, as he glanced over to Harry for a second and nodded fractionally. Taking another deep breath, he pulled a small box from the pocket of his jeans. "Luna Melanie Lovegood..." Her attention instantly sharpened, which was slightly disconcerting if you only knew her casually, as if you didn't know her well you didn't know that she could focus quite well, thank you, she just didn't always bother. Ron went on or at least tried to. "You a, a,.. Oh, hell I love you. Will you marry me?"

As Ron finally got that out Ginny squealed like a little girl, and the rest of the room with the exceptions of Harry and Hermione and of course Luna broke out in spontaneous applause. Applause so loud that no one except Harry and Hermione caught the whispered "Yes." In response from Luna, and they got it by reading lips. Everyone did catch the kiss however that put the Harry and Hermione's earlier snitch kiss to shame.

**********************The Ministry of Magic, London*********************

Hundreds of miles away however the happiness in Gryffindor Tower was reflected 180 degrees. Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange and several other Death Eaters, were walking down a dark, dimly lit stone tunnel. As they walked they stepped over the bodies of two guards that had had the misfortune to draw the short straw and had to work on Christmas. They never would have to worry about that again. Arriving at a door marked "Magical Records, Division of Historical Landmarks." Malfoy casually pointed his wand at the door "REDUCTO." The blast knocked the heavy door off its hinges and it fell to the floor with an echoing BOOM.

The Death Eaters walked into the room and looked about, digging into cabinets and drawers. After a second, one on the far side of the room cried out, "Here Lucius." Malfoy walked over to the cabinet marked with an "H" and dug though it for a second, and then finding what he was looking for he pulled a thick file out with a flourish, "Lets GO!"

"Lucius, while we are here let's go find some other guards to play with. Those just weren't any fun." Lestrange pouted.

"No Bellatrix, we have what the Master wanted we now leave, you there drag those bodies into the room." After the two bodies were unceremoniously dumped in the center of the room, "INCENDIO," the entire room was engulfed in flames. "Let's go" in a swirl of capes they left.





A/N and I bet you thought it was going to be Harry and Hermione

Built by Text2Html

20. A Simple Trip to Gringotts

Jo Rowling still owns this universe, I tried to file a claim to a tiny corner, but alas I was turned down.
Chapter 20: A Simple Trip to Gringott's.

********************Hogwarts**************************

January 9, 2006

It was the first day back for many of the students. Ron's family had left right after New Year's. Which had been a great relief to Ron and Luna who been bursting at the seams to "Celebrate", and they must have, extensively, judging by the exhausted looks both had had the morning after the family had left. It was funny how hard McGonagall had worked at avoiding looking at the two to keep from having to have to say anything. This first morning back, most of the school had shown up for breakfast with only a few late risers missing. Which today for a change included the Head Students. Harry and Hermione met Ron and Luna as they were entering for breakfast. They were running late as Crookshanks had coughed up a hairball on Harry's only clean robes and they had to find a reasonably clean set for him to wear. As they were walking in, Ron and Luna were walking out. The betrothed couple had been inseparable all weekend, and it looked as they were continuing this morning in the same vein. After exchanging murmured greetings, Harry waved to them and he and Hermione walked into the hall.

Reaching their normal seats, Harry and Hermione sat down at the table beside Neville, Ginny, Lavender and Pavarti. A second later Dean Thomas wandered in and dropped down with a thump. He hadn't gotten much sleep with Ron in the room the night before. As Ron had had someone with him the last few nights before, when he had suddenly had to sleep alone again, the infamous spider dreams had returned with a vengeance. "Harry, what the hell is up with those damn spider dreams?" Seamus nodded towards the door to indicate the departed Ron, "Since you moved up to the Head's room this year I've had to have a bed next to him, and every night, it's "The spiders are making me dance," Or "I don't want to eat the spiders", or "Don't eat me big spider" or some bloody damn thing."

"Hell if I know" Harry replied with a laugh. "He's been that way as long as I've known him"

With a flutter of wings, a swarm of owls filled the hall. Harry briefly looked for Hedwig but he as usual he didn't see her. It was not a surprise really, as almost the only people who would send him mail were all ready here. An owl did swoop down in front of Hermione, and delivered her copy of the Daily Prophet.

Harry glanced at the front page as Hermione dug into the articles. She could read the entire paper faster than most could read the front page after all. As Harry was reading a report on a You-Know-Who sighting in York, Hermione spotted an article of interest and started reading aloud. "Harry, listen to this, Ministry officials report that sometime over the Christmas Holiday a fire broke out in the Division of Historical Records. A Ministry spokesman stated that the records destroyed were of buildings and landmarks from eight hundred to fifteen hundred years old. Records of more modern structures were not affected. Odd that a fire could break out in there with the anti-fire charms that should have been present."

"Yeah, that is odd Hermione" Harry responded with about half his attention. He had been busy reading about the mysterious disappearance of two Ministry employees.

RING, the first bell rung.

"We better go; we have Defense with Dumbledore." Harry said getting to his feet, automatically picking up both his and Hermione's bags.

Hermione rose also, and taking her bag from him, "Yeah we better, oh by the way do you have your lesson plan for this afternoon made up yet?" She crooked an eyebrow at him as she shouldered her bag.

"No dear, I was going to do it after lunch," Harry replied a little guiltily, "my first years won't be good for much anyway. I wonder where Ron and Luna have gotten to, they both have class at the same time as us?" Harry asked as they reached the first floor main hall.

"How about over there?" Hermione pointed at an alcove along the way. In the alcove a tall red haired boy could be seen leaning over a blond girl, both of them in Gryffindor colors. "Honesty, are we that bad?" She asked Harry, with a smile lighting her chocolate eyes.

"I don't know" as he stole a kiss "are we?"

Hermione just chuckled as she conceded his point without saying a word. "Come on then dear, or our beloved Headmaster might see how much we really know about deflecting jinxes.

"Come on you two, we gotta go!" Harry yelled over to the couple in the alcove. Ron just looked up and grinned. Holding Luna's hand he gave her a kiss and then followed the rest of the seventh year Gryffindors into the room, waving goodbye to her as he went.

Hermione didn't know that her words were prophetic. As they had been sitting there, in their usual front row seats, Dumbledore had called them up to demonstrate how one could aim a stunner in combat to achieve certain effects. Such as shooting a fleeing individual in the leg to make them fall down. Harry of course got volunteered to be the victim, much to the amusement some of the Slytherins in the back of the class including Draco Malfoy who had just recently been reinstated as a prefect. This amusement was fleeting however.

"MR.MALFOY" Dumbledore said softly, as he was suddenly beside the problem student, "Do you have a comment to make?" Dumbledore stood waiting for a response, a frown distorting his cheeks.

"Er, No sir" Malfoy responded, hesitantly.

Dumbledore clapped his hands in mock cheer, "Splendid, I dare say that Mr. Potter is tired of just being a target, why don't you go up to the front and lets find out if you can demonstrate on how to best use this curse when the target is moving. Hmm."

"Uhh sure Professor." Malfoy walked up to the front and faced off with Potter.

"Ready" Dumbledore asked and received two nods, "GO!"

Malfoy immediately pointed his wand and screamed "Flamous." A purple wand of flame shot out from Malfoy's wand. His heart in his throat, Dumbledore's head snapped towards the duel. He had glanced at the class, away from the duel for just a second. The curse Malfoy had just used, while not technically an unforgivable, shoots a wand of fire like a magical flamethrower and could be deadly if used in combat and even had been known to cause nerve damage. Fortunately for Draco's continued breathing, Dumbledore's fears were unfounded, as a second wand had already tracked to a spot right between his eyes, the eyes guiding that wand, like chips of brown flint, the tip already glowing.

Because Hermione's efforts were not needed either; at the instant Draco had launched his attack, Harry's eyes had flashed for an instant and time had seemed to slow down, for him anyway. He had all the time in the world to twist out of the way of the curse and to return a careful "Expelliarmus." Harry was much, much better than his own first year students and the perfectly aimed disarming charm knocked Draco's wand into the air. Where it arched precisely into Harry's waiting left hand. Harry casually pointed Draco's wand, "Stupefy," a red bolt of light hit Malfoy in the right knee. Draco took one step and fell over, his leg having been knocked asleep.

"I believe that is the effect that you were looking for, Professor?" Harry asked, careful to not show anything other than an earnest expression.

"Yes, Mr. Potter I believe that it is. You and Miss Granger may sit down." Hermione nodded and brushed Harry's hand as she sheathed her wand with her other hand, the slight glow on the tip going out as she lowered it. Dumbledore sauntered over to Draco. "Enervate" and Drano's leg woke up. "Mr. Malfoy you may also return to your seat, unless you need to see Madame Pomfrey?"

"No Sir, I'm fine" Draco replied though gritted teeth, as he got up. Draco returned to the rear of the class, shooting a lethal glare at Harry as he strode by.

The rest of the class passed quickly and the bell soon enough rang. As the students got up to leave, "Mr. Potter, may I have a word?"

"I'll be there in a sec, Mione." Harry gave her a kiss on the cheek and turned back to Dumbledore. Hermione nodded slightly and walked out with Ron and the other Gryffindors; Dean was miming Harry's catch and casual stunning of Draco as they walked out to great amusement of the others.

"Harry." Harry turned to look at Dumbledore; "I have found that Remus and I are free this afternoon if you want to retrieve that item we discussed earlier. Will three at my office be acceptable?"

"Yeah sure Professor." Harry responded, suddenly nervous.

Dumbledore had known Harry for many years, he picked up on his sudden reticence right away, "Harry, you don't have to do this just because your friend got engaged. You can wait."

"No Grandfather...I want to go get it, I don't know when I will ask, but I will do so, I have to find the right time. Can I take Ron along with us?"

"I understand Harry. Yes Mr. Weasley can come along. It's fitting that he does, if he had black hair it the events would be similar to the when your father picked up that ring. I remember that Remus and Sirius had to go with him for moral support."

*****************Headmaster's office****************

3pm

Harry and Ron arrived at Dumbledore's office and Ron said the password. The gargoyle stepped slowly aside and the two rode the revolving stairs upward. "So mate," Ron started, grinning, "how did you loose your girlfriend for the afternoon?"

"How did you loose yours?" Harry countered, with a chuckle.

Ron shrugged, "I blamed you and said that you and I had to work out Quiddich strategies."

"Dumbledore had McGonagall have her help with something or other." Harry responded vaguely as they entered the room.

Entering and automatically looking for Dumbledore, Harry noticed Remus standing beside Dumbledore's large fireplace. He was leaning casually against the ancient stones, an air of amusement dancing in his gaze. A green flame was burning in the fireplace, still there from the last person to use it. He smiled at the pair and waved towards the emerald flames, "Albus went on ahead, are you two ready?"

"Yeah, lets go," Harry, answered for both of them. As quick as he could, very possibly so he wouldn't change his mind, he rapidly crossed the room, and stood looking into the green conflagration.

Taking a slightly nervous deep breath, Harry grabbed a pinch of floo powder. With a toss of the powder he shouted "Diagon Alley" and disappeared into the flames. Seconds later, after passing thousands of other fireplaces, Harry staggered out into the main room at the Leaky Cauldron. Dumbledore was already there nursing a butterbeer, watching the fireplaces for them to appear.

Noticing him appearing in the flames, Dumbledore raised the bottle in salute. "Hello Harry, I came on ahead, I was thirsty. Want one?" The headmaster asked, stars glittering in his eyes.

"Yeah I might need it." Harry replied, as he crossed to his room, and took a cold bottle from Tom; who had already been walking towards the table when Harry arrived, a tray of beers in hand.

A bare instant later, Ron and Lupin appeared by the fireplace and they too grabbed a beer before they all headed into Diagon Alley proper. At the far end of the street, the late afternoon January sun glinted off of the imposing white artifice of Gringott's. The four walked to it, and straight in the front door. The inside of Gringott's, was if anything more imposing than the outside. Goblins and human wizards were everywhere; the operations of the main bank for the wizarding world were never ending. The literally untold wealth that was kept in the underground vaults was reflected in the appointments of the lobby, every floor was polished marble, every doorknob gold, and every office window, crystal. Harry led the way to the receptionist, a rather attractive, for a goblin anyway, receptionist.

"Can I help you?" She? Asked politely.

Reaching under his shirt, Harry pulled out a key on a chain. "Yes, I'm Harry Potter, and I need access to my vault, please."

In response, the receptionist pulled a binder from a set of shelves behind her and worked down the list contained within, after a minute or two of looking, "Very well sir, Gronk take these gentlemen to 117542."

"This way gentlemen." Gronk murmured in a rough voice from the side. Following him through a series of doors and down a series of dim passageways, the four boarded a rail car with the goblin guide. The car then set off on a long trip that always reminded Harry of a seeker chase of the snitch. After almost three minutes, they arrived at the Harry's vault. "Number 117542, your key sir."

Harry placed his key in a slot on one side of the vault and the goblin placed a key in a slot on the other and at a nod from Gronk, they both turned the keys at the same time. A massive door slowly ground open to reveal a rather huge pile of gold galleons along with other coins. On shelves to one side were several other items that Harry had never bothered to investigate, but the one of interest tonight was in a small, velvet box. Harry walked over, grabbed the box, pocketed it and after a long moment of consideration he grabbed two other longer wood boxes, each about fourteen inches long. While he was here he pocketed a bit of cash as well, but his primary purpose was done: they left the vault. It closed again with a reverberating boom. As Gronk led the way, all of them rode back to the surface and left the bank.

"Damn, Harry I knew that you were loaded but blimey. Now I don't feel so bad for making you buy lunch last time at Hogsmeade." Ron said with a whistle. At one time the Weasleys had been, well basically dirt poor, but Arthur's appointment to Minister of Magic had helped a great deal. In addition, the boys that were out of school had all done well for themselves, especially George and Fred, whose joke shop and later owl order business had taken off. In fact it had taken off so well that the small investment Ron had slipped his brothers when they had expanded into a second franchise had allowed him to buy the ring that was on Luna's hand. Of course Harry had donated the money that had allowed them to get started in the first place, but the entire "family" had benefited from the success of the stores.

"Yeah" Harry said uncomfortably, "I forgot that you had never actually been to my vault with me, it's actually more than the last time I checked, Sirius had set up some of it as investments in the will and it's grown a lot." Harry turned away slightly from him to hide his face, one of the main reasons he tried to stay away from his vault as much as possible, was the fact that the sight was just another reminder that Sirius and his parents had died to leave that to him.

"Mate, it doesn't bother me, it probably would have when I was younger, but hey I figure that you've paid enough for it." Ron replied, also uncomfortable with the tone of this conversation. And in fact he wasn't jealous at all really. Or rather he probably was a little, but he knew that Harry would have spilt it in a heartbeat with his friends, and in fact had tried more than once. "Anyway lets see it."

With a small smile, Harry led the four over to a group of outdoor tables at a sidewalk café. "Ok" Harry replied, and pulled the box from his pocket, and eased open the box. All four of them beheld a gold ring with a large diamond in the center flanked by a pair of clear, faceted jewels. The ring was obviously goblin work and was breathtaking even in its relative simplicity. As they watched, and to Harry and Ron's amazement if no one else's, inscriptions of runes flared to life on the band, and in a small flash of light, the side jewels changed to a ruby and a sapphire; the birthstones for July and September. The runes faded away, but the side stones remained, glowing very faintly in the shadow of the box.

With a slow, hesitant nod Remus regarded the ring and then looked away with tears in his eyes, "Yeah that's Lily's, but I never did find out how you got it Harry, their rings and wands were gone when I got to the house, on..." He stopped unable to go on, looking at Harry.

"It's ok Remus, I know what happened. Sirius said that he got to the house right after Hagrid. Hagrid had just left with me, and the muggle police and firefighters were coming. He said that he grabbed the rings and wands for safekeeping. He said that mum had said that she wanted me to have them if anything happened. Anyway, he sent the stuff via courier to Gringott's and they put them in his vault according to his instructions. Then when he was speaking to Dumbledore again, he had Dumbledore transfer them to my vault."

Remus looked up from the ring, "Then the other two boxes are?" He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"Yeah they are their wands" Harry closed the box and returned the ring to his pocket. He pulled out the two wand boxes and placing them on the table, opened them for inspection.

"Ten and a quarter inches and made of willow and eleven inches of mahogany" Remus whispered a touch reverently as the pair of wands saw daylight for the first time in sixteen years. James and Lily had been his best friends in the world and he knew their wands as well as his.

"Yeah, well I'm giving Hermione mum's wand and I'm going to carry dad's along with mine. After all I think we've proven well enough that my wand and Riddle's can't go spell to spell directly," Harry said with a twinge of guilt that Lupin immediately picked up as he put the wands away again.

"Harry, trust me, your parents, especially Lily would have wanted for Hermione to have her wand. And I'm sure your dad would be proud for you to carry his wand in along with your own." Remus said to Harry with absolute conviction, he grasped both of Harry's shoulders and looked directly into his face, a small smile gracing his lips.

"Thanks, Remus" Harry said with a sudden grin. Then just as quickly his smile faded. As the four had been standing, the day started getting dark, and their breath started fogging in front of their faces, it had been a rather warm winter's day. "Aw shit..." Harry murmured. As one, the four of them looked up to the terrifying sight, of a silent wall of Dementors approaching from down the street. There were at least as many as attacked Harry and Sirius or Harry and Hermione, depending on your viewpoint in time, in their third year. The dark tide of Dementors wavered every so often as one or two would peel off to drain an innocent or to administer the "kiss", but advanced inexorably nonetheless towards Harry and the rest.

"Form a circle" Dumbledore commanded, and the quartet aligned back to back. With four echoed shouts of "EXPECTO PATRONUM," four glowing protectors appeared. A stag, a phoenix, a wolf and a hedgehog appeared. Without any instruction, the four patroni attacked the Dementors. Prongs, of course, charged the Dementors knocking them down like bowling pins. Dumbledore's spectral phoenix dove from the sky and where it passed, Dementors were no more. Lupin's ethereal wolf rampaged like its appearance would suggest, ripping with spectral death at the Dementors. Finally Ron's hedgehog rolled up into a ball and shot ghostly quills, like arrows, at the Dementors.

After the first pass the patroni returned to their masters, and maybe half of the Dementors had been driven away, but there were still far too many. With an echoing CRACK, Tonks and Moody apparated in. Fresh cries of "EXPECTRO PATRONUM" echoed over the cobblestones and two more patroni, a panther and a stallion appeared. Along with the original protectors, the new arrivals chased the remainder of the Dementors away. As the last of the Dementors vanished, the patroni all returned to the respective casters wands with the exception of Prongs, who bowed to Harry and Lupin before he too returned, waiting to be summoned again when needed.

"Wotcher, I'm glad that we got your signal, Professor." Tonks shouted to Dumbledore with evident relief. She looked over at Remus, with a slightly wild look in her eye. He gave her a grim smile, and she nodded. Harry had just now noticed the absence of the vibration of the phoenix medallion. He had been too busy to notice it vibrating when he had been battling the Dementors.

"As am I Nymphadora, however for now there are people to help." With a wave of his wand Dumbledore summoned a great pile of chocolate, and taking some, he started feeding it to victims of the attack. The ones that they could help anyway, at least five that Harry could see had lost their very souls to the Dementors and they laid as empty husks on the street.

As they were working Kingsley Shaklebolt finally appeared with a squad of Aurors. Hurrying over to Dumbledore he explained, "I'm glad you were here Albus, I'm sorry it took us so long to get here, but this wasn't the only attack. So far we have a confirmed attack on a Muggle cruise ship out of Dover by at least one dragon, and the sacking of several manors on the Isle of Man by a horde of trolls. The cruise ship may have been at total loss; the manors were fortunately a group of wizard families so they were able to hold them off for a while. We are thinking that those were diversions so we wouldn't respond to you in time."

"It is possible, Kingsley, it would fit their pattern since last year. As you are now here, we will return to Hogwarts, in case we are needed there." With a snap of his fingers, the original four and Tonks and Moody vanished, silently into the air.




A/N poor Harry can't even go to the bank in piece. Ohh Lady Starlight...Hermione has to "face" the thestrals next chapter.

Built by Text2Html

21. Visons and Memories

Once more the Owl drops us off into Rowling's universe, where I let a very small, minisule even corner.
Chapter 21, Visions and Memories

*******************************Hogwarts*********************************
January 10, 2006
6am

Harry reentered the Head's common room having just returned from yet another early morning exercise session. It had been a desperate attempt to see if he could burn out the images of the soulless hulks lying on the ground in Diagon Alley the day before. It was truly a sign of the times that when Harry had related the attack to Hermione as soon as he returned, she had not said anything, and just hugged him hard enough to feel his ribs creak. In the past she would have uttered some placating platitude to him or something, or chewed him out, depending on just what he had been doing.

She still cared, more than she could say, he could after all read her thoughts more or less; it was just that events of this year had finally started to wear her down too. He had not told her of the items he had retrieved, or that the purpose of the trip had been to go to his vault. In a forlorn attempt to explain his actions, Harry had claimed that the four were on some mission for Dumbledore, which was sort of, kind of the case if you looked at it just right. An explanation that she had taken at face value without further inquiry, another sign of the stress they were all under.

As Harry came in, she was standing in a window of the tower that happened to overlook Hagrid's hut and a rather large paddock that was mysteriously empty, to most students anyway. The early morning sun caught red and gold highlights in her hair and for the billionth time, Harry experienced that flipping sensation in his stomach. Warily, he slowly walked toward her, concerned at the feelings he was reading from her. Hermione was leaning against the wall obviously watching something; her expression was melancholy at best. She sensed his arrival without looking back. "They are beautiful in an odd way aren't they, Harry?" Hermione asked with a curious note in her voice.

Arriving at her post, Harry placed his arms around her from behind, and pulled her to him. From this vantage point he confirmed what she had been looking at. The paddock to him was far from empty. A whole herd of ghostly horses cavorted around the paddock. "That they are, Mione." Harry replied in a whisper.

"You know," she continued, "I never saw them before, even after the Ministry of Magic raid, when we saw Sirius die, I refused to look at the front of the coaches that next year, remember?"

Harry flashed back to the start of last year, memories streaming before his eyes. "Yeah"

"And I never came back by the coaches after...my parents died. Even Hogsmeade trips last year I hid, I even hid my eyes in your shoulder, and we still were both too chicken, that last trip last year, I almost had up my courage, but we ended up going though the passage 'cause of the crowds, and..." Harry didn't say anything for fear of making her mad, but she went on, his thoughts as apparent to her as her own. "It's ok, love I know that you aren't saying anything, because you are afraid of upsetting me. I think that's been taken care of don't you?" The faintest of grins touched her lips, "You know of course that I don't believe you about yesterday?" She asked conversationally, still watching the vaguely reptilian, winged horses, "You never could lie to me, I was so glad to get you back that I didn't say anything, but I knew."

"How did you know?" Harry said with a slight frown, going back over the day to see where he would have slipped up.

She turned from the window to look at him. "Actually, when you got back and found me, I'll admit that I didn't even try to read your thoughts to get behind the words. I was so glad to get you back safe, but dear, you talk in your sleep."

"And how would you know, I seem to remember going to asleep alone last night, unfortunately" He murmured with a slight smirk.

"I came in after you fell asleep, you had been having nightmares again, and I heard you. I left before you got up." She explained with a shrug. "Now, dear, what were you doing at Diagon Alley in the middle of a school day? Especially when you ruffians had suborned Minerva McGonagall to keep me busy."

"Ok, I'll show you," Harry replied, and with his left hand pulled a wand from the left side waistband of his clothes. The wand was not his normal wand, a fact that Hermione recognized instantly, for like Lupin with James and Lily's wands she knew the wands of her friends as well as her own. "You got a new wand to get around the priori incatanta problem?"

"Sort of, I still have my own." Harry showed her his normal wand and put it back away. "This is...was dad's." He replied. "Also, wait...ACCIO WAND." A wand box flew from his room into his right hand.

"A THIRD WAND?" She asked incredulously, "Darling, are you getting as paranoid as Moody?" With a raised eyebrow, but she stopped at his expression, "I'm sorry, Harry I guess I've hung out around you and Ron too much, I'm becoming a smartarse too." She explained contritely.

"That's ok Mione, anyway it's not for me." Harry looked into her eyes and slowly extended the wand box to her. "It's for you if you will have it. It was mum's."

"Harry...I can't. It's too precious to you." Hermione instantly objected, as her hand extended anyway, her heart running her body right now.

Harry gave her a great shake of his head, causing shaggy, black hair to fall in his eyes, "No love, you are and if it will help you then...besides she would want you to have it. They only reason they were recovered is that Sirius grabbed them out of the ruins of the Hollow before they were destroyed." He shook the box slightly as if enticing a kneazle to play, as he swept his hair back out of his eyes with the hand still holding his father's wand.

"Ok." With that settled, she took the wand from him reverently and opened the box. In it was Lily Potter's willow wand all right. Hermione pulled him into a hug and cried softly into his shoulder.

The rest of the day went by quickly as it was a light day. They breezed through Hagrid's class without any major injuries and trundled up to History of Magic. Hermione couldn't help it; she passed the time in the incredibly boring class, much to Harry's amusement, playing with her new wand/Lily's old wand. She spent the entire class doing things like transfiguring small things around the classroom and levitating objects, even swooping them through the air behind the Professor. Binns as usual, made no notice of the happenings in his class but merely droned on nonstop, the goblin wars never-ending.

After the usual epoch had passed, the bell finally rang and they left the class, now done with classes for the day. With a sigh most of the class turned and headed for the library. As was often the case, Ron was behind on assignments, and even Luna was on his case about it. He immediately started on a transfiguration essay on the subject of charming muggle artifacts, and the consequences of such, that was due in the morning and that he had yet to start. In fact it was his exceedingly good fortune that his fiancée was extremely bright, otherwise he would have probably failed by now as by this point Hermione flatly refused to do his work for him, as she knew he was more than capable of doing it himself, more a matter of a lack of desire rather than skill on Ron's part. Actually Hermione wouldn't even do Harry's, mostly, though he seldom asked. Luna contrary to appearances at times, was actually very bright, she had been initially in Ravenclaw after all.

Finally finishing their workload the trio staggered out of the library and headed for dinner, passing the main doors to the castle, Hermione leaned over to Harry's ear to say "Thanks" and kissed his cheek.

******************Headmasters Office*****************************

It was late, Albus Dumbledore was sitting in his office doing paperwork, actually he was sitting with his eyes closed, to all external observation asleep, though a quill magically filled out various forms and signed documents on his desk. Such things passed under the quill as countersigning detention forms, a bill for last month's food and various owls to the Ministry. As he sat there, however, he was mostly musing on some half-forgotten memory. For several months now something had been bothering him, but he couldn't quite remember it. Lingering there with his thoughts, he flashed back to Diagon Alley, and the events of a few days before.

Not the fight, but the reason that they had been there in the first place. Something about that purpose was hiding in the back of his memories. Why? Suddenly an image of Lily's engagement ring flashed across his memories, and flashed forward several months to James and Lily exchanging their vows,
---- "Do you Lily Evans take this man into your heart to become one with him for now and eternity?"
---- She looked into James eyes and mouthed 'we already were one love' "I do for now and eternity."

Dumbledore's eyes snapped open. Is that the key? Anne and I... He paused for a second as the image of his dead wife crossed his mind, our vows were a little different, there are various renditions, but Wizard marriage vows, especially the old forms, unlike muggle ones literally mean one person in two bodies. And if I go by the old ways......... Dumbledore opened a drawer looking for a book, but instead another random thought poked its way in as he found one of his Order of Merlin metals lying discarded in the drawer. Like his great-great-great-grandson he had never sought glory, it was thrust upon him reluctantly. He flashed back to a drunken conversion with Alastor, years ago; it was just after the two had witnessed the sentencing of Crouch Jr., the Lestranges and other Death Eaters to Azkaban for the first time.

*********************Muggle Pub, London*************************
15 years ago

Alastor Moody and Albus Dumbledore, two of the most powerful light wizards in all of England, and in Dumbledore's case the world were sitting in the back of a Muggle Pub. They have just left the Ministry and have chosen this watering hole instead of a wizard pub in hopes of being left alone.

"It's not over yet, Albus, Malfoy got off." Alastor Moody commented into his beer. To one from the future, Moody was almost unrecognizable. He had all of his limbs and both his eyes were natural and dark. There weren't any real scars on his face yet either. That ever-present air of paranoia, that was common to both this version of Alastor Moody and the one fifteen years hence, though.

"We will get him eventually, Alastor, patience." A younger Dumbledore responded, as he took a drink. He sat the pint down on the scarred table, and glanced around the room at the few Muggles in here at his hour.

"Pity we didn't get them before Alice and..." Moody trailed off. "Anyway the one I really want is...Black damn it. You'd think Bellatrix would have turned on him to get a lesser sentence, but she wouldn't say where he was. Bastard betrayed James and Lily, and killed Pettigrew himself. How could we have been so wrong Albus?" Moody pleaded. "Though at least James and Lily's sacrifice saved us."

"No, it didn't, at least not yet." Dumbledore replied looking down at his pint. "Lily was able to postpone his ascension and she may have forced Tom to produce his own downfall, or she may have just perpetuated the suffering to a new generation."

"What do you mean?" The one would who become Mad-Eye replied, slightly confused. He took a drink to offset his puzzlement.

"Harry is the key, that's why I couldn't keep him Alastor. I'm not Merlin damn it, I can't raise Arthur from a boy, and I'm afraid in the end that is what we will need." Dumbledore replied bitterly as he took another draught of his drink.

"No Albus you're not," Moody replied with a slight smile. "He had a better press agent." Both of them chuckled at the pitiful joke and clinked their mugs together.

*****************Hogwarts, present day************************

Yes, Harry is a key, but... Dumbledore did not find the book he was wanting in the drawer, so he glanced over at a half-full bookshelf across the room. As he looked at it, a new book appeared on the shelf. With a raised hand, an old book flew over to him and dropped open on a particular page. The selected page curiously showed an illustration quite similar to the ring that his great, great, great, grandson even now had in his possession. He read: 'Wizards are different from non-magic using peoples in many ways. Of particular interest is that old-style Wizard marriages are normally unbreakable except by death or the direct treason of one of the betrothed against the other. In fact is should be noted that depending on the strength of the bond of the wizard and witch involved, the veil of death may not be enough to severe this bond. The actual marriage of the wizard and witch has varied over the centuries, currently most marriages are considered as are muggle ones to begin at the confirmation of vows in the wedding. However at times in the past, the acceptance of the proposal by the witch has been in and of itself suitable for the permanent bond to be established, and in very rare cases, the actual formal proposal is too superfluous. In these cases the marriage ceremony is actually just a forum for the betrothed to celebrate with their loved ones, in effect and in truth they became bound to each other with the proposal. This bond is usually assumed as the bride becoming one with the groom, Wizarding law assumes that a married couple, whether or not the bond began at the engagement or at the wedding itself, becomes technically one entity that happens to reside in two bodies.' Finishing the passage, Dumbledore slammed the book down, and closed his eyes again. Of course, damn getting old, I know what my memory was trying to tell me.

******************************Flashback*********************************

Sometime after the deaths of James and Lily Potter
16yrs ago

Dumbledore sat quietly in the back of the Divination classroom. Back then it was often his habit to sit in new a Professor's classes to see their effectiveness. He didn't really believe in this class, for the most part he found Divination, useless. And even if a prophecy was correct, there were always multiple ways of fulfilling them, and prophecies, were by their nature basically the most probable outcome of events. It was possible for a strong individual to bend the results from that prophesized to ones more favorable to the person. He was willing to give this Professor a chance, however, she did make a prophecy that could save us all, and if everything worked out, giving her a job was a small price to pay. Dumbledore was paying little attention when for some reason he happened to look up at Trelwany as she started to speak.

Trelwany was looking at a third year and suddenly expounded in a slightly raspy tone, "You know dear that some day the Dark One will come to the end of a path began some 16 years prior, The two who stand at the head of the pride will become one. A great fortress on a hill will be torn asunder, ancient truths will become apparent. The Dark One will issue a challenge, which will be answered. You really need to fill out that dream diary dear." She finished, airily.

In confusion, Dumbledore sat there thinking, what the hell was that?



A/N there ya go, another chapter...Hermione has looked on the thestrals. And Dumbledore has realized something.


Built by Text2Html

22. The Replacement

I just wish I owned these characters, they're just so much fun to play with, but alas I don't.


Chapter 22, The Replacement

*****************Hogwarts, Harry's Room*******************

January 11, 2006
5:00 am

With a soft moan, Harry woke up to an empty, slightly cold bed. Last night after the evening hall patrol was done, well actually they had cheated and used the Marauder's map and found any and all miscreants quickly and used the time to catch up on some snogging, Hermione had only diverted long enough to her room to change into pajamas and had hopped directly into bed with him. When he grinningly asked what she was doing, she just replied that McGonagall could kiss her arse; she was going to sleep, which she promptly curled up against his chest and did. Harry just lay there amused and stroked her hair until he too fell to sleep.

As he awoke up, he instantly missed her, but a quick mental search located her in the castle, that's weird, she's up in the Room of Requirement this early? She usually doesn't work out in the mornings; she had been doing hers when I was at Quiddich practice. I do miss her at practice yelling from the stands. Harry climbed out of bed and glanced back at the rumpled sheets. It's funny if someone told me a year ago that if a beautiful woman literally jumped into bed with me, that I'd be perfectly content to just hold her, I would have thought them daft. He smiled to himself at the thought. Well if she's up, I guess I'll see if she wants company.

Grabbing a wand from under the pillows, he transfigured his pajamas into workout clothes and crossed to his dresser where a rack sat that held the Sword of Gryffindor. Or rather it normally held the sword, for now it was empty. Hmmm. Without another thought he swept out of his room on the way out of Gryffindor Tower.

*************************Room of Requirement. ***************************

A slim, brunette witch stood at the ready, a sword held easy in her hands. Without so much as a breath she exploded into motion. The sword snapped out in a lateral cut that progressed into a low cut that would take out an opponent's ankle. Instead of recovering low, she tumbled into a handless cartwheel that followed the path of the blade and flowed into a high stance with the sword held horizontally by her ear point forward, the edge upwards to the ceiling. She paused for a heartbeat then snapped the sword into a diagonal cut across an imaginary opponent and recovered with a movement designed to clear her immediate area. Her recovery had brought her back into her original stance, her eyes locked on an invisible adversary. Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of soft applause.

"Damn it Harry don't patronize me." Hermione growled as her eyes came over to meet his, a dark, hard warning resting there.

"I'm not." He replied seriously and rapidly crossed to her to where she had stopped the kata. "I'm impressed, very impressed love. And not only by the fact that Godric has seen fit to allow you to wield his sword also." He nodded towards the sword. It had changed since that day long ago when he pulled it from a hat in Slytherin's vile chamber. The sword that day had been small and light, suitable for a twelve-year-old wizard. In his studies Harry had discovered that the original form of the sword had been a European broadsword, or possibly a claymore.

However soon after Harry had regained the sword from Dumbledore in his 6th year, it had changed to a form suitable to him as he was currently, both in size and in fighting style. The sword now had a slightly curved blade reminiscent of a Japanese katana, with the exception that the spine of the blade was sharpened for about half the length of the blade. The guard was a simple circle of dark steel inscribed with runes, and the handle was cord wrapped. Some things remained the same however, the same Gryffindor inscription was on the flat of the blade, with a small rampaging lion set at the base of the blade and the same flame red rubies were set in the handle. The really interesting thing was that if she could really wield the Gryffindor sword, it should have transformed to suit her. The fact that it hadn't seemed to indicate that she used the sword in an almost identical manner to Harry. The size wouldn't have had to change though; she was relatively tall for a girl, only about an inch or so shorter than Harry.

She glanced down at the sword then at Harry and gave him a small shrug. "I don't know, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, and for some reason I felt I wanted to look at your sword. I picked it up and I was able to draw it, I never could draw it before. And it just..."

"Felt like it belonged, Mione?" Harry interrupted.

"Yeah, I mean this is similar to what I've been working with, with Moody, as the Asian swords seem to fit me, and you I guess better. I just wanted to see Harry." She ended with a grin, like she was opening a present on Christmas morning.

For a long moment Harry regarded her with an unreadable expression. Love, you trust me? Harry asked her unnecessarily.

With my life and my heart Harry. She replied without moving her lips.

"OK" Harry murmured as he gazed into her eyes, "Appero Sword" and a true katana appeared in his hand, it was not exactly the same as the Gryffindor sword, but should be good enough for this. With a flash of his eyes he muttered, "Protego Duelus" and activated the safeguards in the Room of Requirement. Now if anyone was struck by a weapon, it would only leave a mark but the blade would pass though with out inflicting harm.

The two stood face-to-face about three paces apart and bowed slightly to each other. As their eyes met, emerald and chocolate, both sets suddenly glowed a bright blue. For both Harry and Hermione, time seemed to stretch into infinity. They seemed to have all the time in the world to launch an attack, only to be met with the exact same attack, as if he or she were attacking a mirror, instead of a live person. A diagonal cut from Harry was met with a sword coming in from the exact position to block it from Hermione. Her recovery from the block with an attack on his ankles was met with nothing but air as he tumbled over it, only to meet her incoming attack behind his back with the blade of his sword, without any hesitation at all. "Enough" Harry shouted and both stopped instantly and once again peered into each other's eyes. The blue faded from their eyes and once again their true colors were witnessed. Hermione and Harry stared at each other for a minute longer, until Hermione broke the silence.

"Honestly...that was weird." She whispered, a little shakily.

"Yeah" Harry replied and straightened up from his ready stance, Hermione also relaxed her stance. Walking over to her, Harry tenderly tucked an errant lock of hair behind her ear. It had escaped the shaggy ponytail that most of her hair was pulled back into. "Alastor and Remus said you were much improved, but damn it girl." He whispered with a small smile.

Hermione replied with a quick smile of her own, "Yeah, but I've never been that good. It was like I knew what you would do before I knew and vise versa."

"You may have, at least with me as an opponent." Harry said with a grin. "What was will the attack on the ankle dear?"

"Oh I didn't want you to get away again."

"Never"

**********************Hogwarts, Transfiguration Classroom #2*****************
10am

On the way to Transfiguration this morning, both Harry and Hermione's thoughts were still filled with bewilderment about this mornings duel? No, that wasn't the right word, for both knew that even if the protection charms had been off, somehow neither would have touched the other, even if one had somehow made a mistake. Both were slightly concerned with what might be next, first the telepathy and then today's performance. On top of that, last year only Harry could draw the Gryffindor sword from the sheath. In fact Harry had wondered about that change so much that he had had Ron and Seamus try and draw the sword this morning, but neither had succeeded. Ron interrupted this train of thought suddenly; he was running down the hall with a panicked look on his face.

"Oi, Harry, we have problems" Ron fairly shouted as soon as he found Harry in the hall with Hermione.

"This must be a real problem," Harry muttered to Hermione, "there's no sign of Luna." Ron and Luna had continued to be inseparable, and Ron had even started walking her to all of her classes, much to the annoyance of Professors like McGonagall and Snape who did not consider the mere fact that he was engaged to a sixth year ample excuse to be tardy.

Actually to be fair, McGonagall was pretty amused about the whole matter, after all they were both her Gryffindors, so Ron had so far only earned detention for this tactic in her class. Snape however had no such impediment and Ron had so far lost Gryffindor 50 points over the last two weeks, which Hermione and Harry had to make back up. Ron, my friend, my brother, I love Mione more than the air I breathe, but I usually still show up on time at places, Harry thought with an internal grin, as he glanced over at Ron. Hermione gave him a blinding smile at the thought.

"I better take this out here Hermione" Harry said to Hermione in an undertone.

Nodding, she gave him a peck on the cheek and went to get them seats for the class, heck, I'll probably even get Ron one too, Hermione thought to herself.

After watching Hermione walk into the classroom, Harry turned to Ron. "Ok spill."

"We got problems Harry." Ron repeated, even more flustered than he was a second ago, he rocked back and forth on his feet, as if he were thinking of running and didn't know where to go.

"You already said that." Harry replied with a slightly annoyed tone, and mimed heading towards his girlfriend and class.

Ron got the hint, "Ok.... well our third chaser, White, just got a letter from his mum saying that his grades were sucking too much since he took up Quiddich. She owled Dumbledore and McGonagall and got them to pull him, though they really didn't have a choice, he is only a 3rd year. We need a chaser mate, we have a game Saturday!" Ron finished, waving his hands in the air like a madman.

"REAALY Ron," Harry replied sarcastically. He just shook his head ruefully and went on as several Hufflepuff third years passed them in the hall. "What are our options, Lavender? Dean? I can't pull Neville or Seamus off beater duty."

Ron shook his head violently in response; "Lavender has been having problems on a broomstick ever since she had to help with that recon mission just before Christmas. Moody flew them around so for so long so Muggles and wizards wouldn't spot them that she swears she's done enough broom riding until she's twenty. Dean's just not good enough on a broom to be a chaser, he's an ok beater but Neville and Seamus are better, plus you have that almost mental link between Neville and Ginny..."

"Yeah you're right, Luna? Or start with 4th years?" Harry asked with a shrug, mentally running though Gryffindors that might be good enough to fill in, as a touch of Ron's panic was slowly started to infiltrate him too.

Suddenly Ron looked at the door that Hermione had just walked through, a huge smile slowly spreading across his face. "Harry...."

Harry had just noticed where Ron was looking and his thoughts met Ron's "I don't know..."

But Ron knew that he was right or at least he hoped he was, "She's good, Harry, she's better on a broom now than I was when I tried out for keeper. And you know her instincts since she gained her animagus form would make her a awesome chaser." Ron whispered the last part, just in case, even though no one as in sight.

"I'm just her boyfriend and your Co-Captain. It's up to her mate." Harry replied vaguely, and led Ron into the classroom without another word.

Harry spent the class glancing over at Hermione, even more so than usual, so much so that McGonagall noticed and challenged him to pay attention or show he could do the spell. Today's lesson was on animal transfiguration, Disillusioning a familiar or pet. When she asked, Harry absently waved his wand over Hedwig, who promptly started blending into the background. Since Harry had called her bluff she really had no choice but to congratulate him and give Gryffindor 10 points. Of course Hermione could also do the spell, the only reason that she hadn't beat Harry to the punch was that Crookshanks truly hated this spell. As it caused him to blend into the floor, he tended to run into things, so being the intelligent kneazle he was, he kept trying to get away. As she finally corralled the cat and got Crookshanks camouflaged, she looked over at Harry, What? She inquired silently.

I'll tell you after class, Harry replied with a thought. This seemed to satisfy her and they spent the rest of the class amusedly watching Ron try to Disillusion Pig. So far he hadn't been camouflaged. Far from it, Pig was currently glowing bright orange and swooping around McGonagall's head, much to the Professor's expressed annoyance. For some odd reason, it appeared as if the owl were somehow at fault, this time. Ron seemed to be casting the spell properly; it just wasn't taking. Finally as the class ended, Ron was able to use an impediment charm and stop the owl so he could catch it. He never did get the owl camouflaged.

Ron hurried over to Harry and Hermione. They were standing at the door waiting on him, Hedwig sitting on Harry's shoulder, with Crookshanks on Hermione's. Both familiars were their normal, respective snowy-white and ginger colors; the spell was easily enough removed.

"Bloody hell, you know that's no fair, you both already know that spell." Ron complained as he came up to his friends. He turned and gave Hermione a slight scowl, "And Hermione that bloody cat is huge; how can you hold it up on your shoulder?"

"Actually Ronald, I'm sure Harry and I know a great deal of spells that you don't." Hermione replied with a Cheshire grin. "He after all, listens to me. However for your information, I put a spell on his collar that reduces his apparent weight to about three pounds. He can jump really high with it on too." She finished with relish as on her shoulder Crookshanks looked hungrily at the still glowing Pig.

"Oh no, your pets isn't going to eat another one of mine." Ron said, his voice rising, his hands coming up to ward an attack away from his owl.

"RONALD...he never ate one in the first place, and if he had we would be better off right now." She replied her eyes flashing, her hands on her hips, as on her shoulder Crookshanks opened his mouth wide, ostentatiously showing his fangs.

OHH bugger, I better head off this train wreck. "Hermione, stop teasing him, and Ron just shut up, that damn rat was a Death Eater after all." Harry stated flatly, cutting them off before they really get started.

"But Harry" Ron whined, still shielding Pig.

"No, Ron. Now calmly and without regard to the gastronomic distribution of our various familiars, please, calmly ask Hermione, as a friend, what you were going to ask her." Harry instructed Ron evenly.

"No" Ron replied almost petulantly.

"Ok in the interest of time, I will ask. Hermione, Ron and I would like to ask if you would like to play Quiddich this Saturday." Harry asked looking away from Ron, who he was a little pissed at right now, due to his somewhat immature behavior. He had not really appreciated how much Luna actually increased Ron's maturity at times. Especially how much he missed it at this very second, as Luna was currently several hallways away in Firenze's class not down here with him.

"But you two already have a game on Saturday." Hermione replied, the confusion evident on her face, then, with sudden realization, "Oh."



A/N: HE HE Sorry it's been a bit since I uploaded, if all goes well I plan on upping several chapters this weekend.

Built by Text2Html

23. Starting Lineup

Hi JKR thanks for letting me play.

Chapter 23 Starting Lineup

*************************Quiddich Pitch, Hogwarts**********************

January 14, 2006.
1pm

It was a cold January afternoon, and a light, steady snow was falling over the Hogwarts grounds. The Ravenclaw team, while not the team that Cho Chang led while she was at Hogwarts; was said to be pretty good. At least by the Hufflepuffs who had already played them and lost by the Ravenclaw seeker breaking the tie with a snitch catch after almost five hours of nearly scoreless play. They were feeling a little confident with the Gryffindors having to break in a new chaser.

And anyway, surely the Slytherins were right, she had to have gotten the position because she was the Boy-Who-Lived's girlfriend and the Head Girl, didn't she? For their part, the Gryffindors were packing the stands, waiting to see what many, though not in their earshot, were calling the Potter and Potter team. The Slytherins were booing Gryffindor as usual, and the Hufflepuffs were pretty evenly split, as they had already been beaten by both of the teams playing and they all hated the Slytherins. As the team waited, Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville watched the "Potter Duo" standing over to the side, talking to each other quietly. Hermione looked a little green, and Harry a little pale.

"I don't know who is more nervous Hermione or Harry, it was like first year with Harry only eating toast for breakfast, and I think she just had coffee." Neville mentioned, grinning and shaking his head vigorously to dislodge the snow in his hair.

"I haven't told either of them that all of the family showed up for this game either, McGonagall put them up in the Gryffindor box seats. Watch this," Ron replied, starting towards Harry and Hermione with a malicious grin.

"NO" both Ginny and Luna grabbed Ron and kept him from relaying this info. He looked at them and just grinned. "You just keep the damn ball out of the hoops Ronald." Luna went on slightly dreamily as her smaller hand ran up and down his arm slowly.

"It's a Quaffle" Ron responded in a grunt, he was disappointed that his joke had been shortstopped.

"I know Ronald," Luna replied airily. "Are they charmed by the way, like the Tornados do?"

"No dear...I'll be damned." Ron suddenly snapped as his sweeping gaze caught a familiar face in the crowd. Now that's bold of her.

"What is it Ron?" Ginny asked curiously, she hadn't seen anything too unusual in the stands. After all her blond friend next to her had her wand stuck in her hair like a large hairpin, and was wearing a two-foot tall lion's head as a hat. The hat was rapidly getting a coating of white from the falling snow.

"In the Ravenclaw stands, it's Cho. Looks like she got a day off from the academy and I guess she wanted to see the competition." Ron snarled, "damn twat."

"Ronald" Ginny replied half-heartedly, though she too wasn't too happy with the new seeker for the Tornadoes either, Harry was family after all. She tucked in to Neville to try to stay warm in this weather. Neville just smiled and absentmindedly wrapped his arms around her to share body heat.

'What?" Neville asked for his and Luna's benefits, as they were being left out of this conversation.

Ron looked at the other three and making sure both Harry and Hermione, especially, were well away out of earshot, he continued. "Ok, you all know that Harry and her went out in his 5th year. And then she basically broke up with him because she thought he was in love with Hermione."

"Well he was" interrupted Luna, a blond eyebrow crooked.

"Yes, dear I realize I was a dumbarse, now can I continue?" Ron asked with a raised eyebrow. He quickly turned to the others as he noticed Luna, wearing a tiny half smile, playing with her ring. "Anyway, that summer, you all remember how she behaved on the train back? Anyway she had sent Harry owls and owls, saying about how she was wrong and that she regretted her behavior, and that she wanted to get back together, and such. All this was happening the same summer as she got on the Tornadoes. So Harry who was pissed at the world right then and mad at everything, gets these letters from someone who he thinks likes him."

"What about Hermy?" Ginny asked, she had heard part of this story but not the entire story before.

"I bet you don't use that nickname to her face Gin, I'll get to that. Anyway she ends this campaign by sending tickets for Harry to the game against the Cannons right before his birthday. So Harry gets permission to go from Dumbledore, I guess the old guy was feeling guilty for Sirius too. So we get there, she had sent enough tickets for Harry, me and Lupin and Moody to go, and the Tornadoes win on a snitch catch, by her. And she doesn't even say anything to Harry though she had waved to him before the game; she walks over to the Tornadoes keeper and starts making out with him on the field in front of everyone. Looking back I think Hermione had known something was up, Harry actually asked her to go first before me, but she turned him down."

"Hermione turned Harry down for a date?" Ginny queried, confused at the idea.

"No Gin this was before either was admitting that they were in love with the other, even to themselves. I figure that she knew somewhere inside that Cho was going pull something and she didn't want to get her wand snapped when she jinxed her in front of fifty thousand wizards." Ron answered with a little shrug.

"I thought they didn't know?" Luna asked now, also confused at this turn in the story.

"Like I said this was looking back, at the time I was just grateful that Hermione let me go in her place, I may have even thought that she let me go instead of her because she liked me. Of course I was wrong, but it wasn't the first time." Ron carefully looked at the stands so as not to see the slight, matching nods from his sister and girlfriend. "Anyway looking at it now I think that somewhere inside Harry knew he loved Hermione, but he thought that if he got together with Cho, it would be ok. He may have thought that he could have survived if something happened to her, if Hermione got hurt or killed, I don't think he would have survived the night. Of course this is all looking back, I was probably a git at the time, trying to get Harry to get into Cho's pants." Ron finished with a pained smile and looked at his fiancée, just like I would die if something happened to you.

Harry glanced at the group of their friends and teammates; "You know they are talking about us right?" He asked Hermione resignedly.

"Of course, what else would they do?" She replied with a blazing smile. "By the way have I told you how much your Quiddich uniform suits you?"

"Not as much as yours" He replied with a quick kiss to her forehead to the accompaniment of good-natured jeers from the Gryffindor stands above.

"I do think I prefer the Potter on the back though," she teased.

"You never know" Harry laughed and nodded up at the Gryffindor stands, "Since they came for a show should we give them one?"

"Why not." Suiting action to her words, Hermione grabbed the front of his robes, and with the accompaniment of the cheers of the Gryffindor fans, including a certain head of House, and the complement of flashing bulbs from the Creevey brothers, pulled Harry into a kiss the like of which few in the crowd have ever experienced, and most never would. After a couple of minutes, they came up for air to find Ron grinning at them.

"Ok break it up you two, Potter, Granger we do have a game you know, Hermione get over there with Ginny and Pavarti we'll start with a wedge if we get the quaffle straight off. Harry let's do this."

"Aye Captain" Hermione responded and headed off, a slight swagger in her step.

Ron and Harry headed to the center circle and found Madame Hooch and the Ravenclaw Captain and Seeker, Sarah Franklin there already waiting. "Ok Sarah call it" Hooch asked as she pulled a galleon from a pocket and flipped it in the air.

"Tails"

"You got it, which one." Hooch inquired, not really wondering.

"The south one" Franklin replied, nobody wanted to defend the North goal next to the Gryffindor stands. Slytherin had tried once, once.

"OK Ladies and Gentlemen, To the Air." As one, the teams mounted their brooms and kicked off. The players started circling the pitch, as the teams waited for the game to start.

"WELCOME TO ANOTHER QUIDDICH MATCH HERE AT HOGWARTS." Leslie Jordan called out from her announcers stand, McGonagall was next to her to attempt to keep the commentary at least somewhat fair. "Ravenclaw has won the toss and has elected to defend the south goal." This comment was met with jeers from the Gryffindor stands and a loud ROAR until McGonagall turned and glared at them.

As the Ravenclaw team passed the Gryffindor stands and the commentators booth, "Here comes the Ravenclaw Eagles, led by their seeker and Captain Susan Franklin, followed by Patil, Quantum and Hepburn as Chasers, Jones and Neal as beaters and Sampson as keeper. The Ravenclaws passed out of range and the Gryffindors replaced them...NOW GREET YOUR GRYFFINDOR LIONS LED BY HARRY POTTER AT SEEKER... RONALD, THE KING, WEASLEY AT KEEPER...NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM AND SEAMUS, THE MAD IRISHMAN, FINNEGAN AT BEATERS AND THE ATTACK LINE OF GINNY, THE ALLEY CAT, WEASLEY, PAVARTI PATIL AND MAKING HER FIRST START FOR GRYFFINDOR HOUSE, HERMIONE PO..GRANGER" with this announcement the Gryffindor stands went ballistic and Jordan earned herself identical glares from the assistant Headmistress next to her and a certain witch wearing red and gold passing in front of the stand.

Harry, hovered next to Ron for a second, planning further strategy, "Harry unless we look like we are going to loose, don't grab the snitch for a while, we need to run up points to be sure for the point standings, Slytherin beat the shyte out of Hufflepuff right before Christmas." Ron said to Harry and then took up his preferred figure eight pattern around and through the rings. Harry nodded and took up his place hovering over the center pitch, and with a whistle the game was on.

"And there they go. The snitch is gone and Potter and Franklin are in pursuit. The Quaffle is up and caught by the other Patil" McGonagall glared, "and she charges the goal and shoots... and it's intercepted by the KING!"

Ron grabbed the Quaffle and ducking a bludger, snapped a pass to Ginny cross-court, who flipped the Quaffle to Hermione who shot a pass straight back to Pavarti, who nailed the center of the center hoop, totally fooling the Ravenclaw keeper, Tom Sampson.

"Gryffindor takes the lead 10-0 on a incredible attack by the Gryffindor Chasers."

"Leslie."

Meanwhile... Harry had been tracking the snitch while at the same time making sure that Sarah either didn't see it or didn't get it. The snitch flew in front of his face to taunt him and he automatically gave it chase, just making sure that he staid ahead of Franklin as the snitch did one of its favorite tricks and headed to its "Death Star Run" as the sextet locked up at Grimmauld place had named this familiar move it after watching the movie this summer at Harry's new home. The snitch promptly lost them, though Harry knew that it had probably pulled up and hid behind the 8th timber from the south rings, it was an old trick, one that the Ravenclaw seeker evidentially hadn't noticed.

The action above was still going full bore, the Ravenclaw chasers were trying the same tactic that the Gryffindors had been successful with, but on this day the match was like a pack of lions playing with housecats. As Hepburn tried to pass to Padma Patil, her sister shot up from below their formation intercepting the quaffle and shot it on a long pass to Hermione who pulled up suddenly in front of the right most goal, caught and shot with the same motion.

"OH MY GOD GRYFFINDOR 20-0 on an AWSOME interception and assist by Patil and a shot on goal by Granger, her first of her career "

"Leslie" McGonagall tried half-heartedly but the warning went unnoticed under the explosion of the Gryffindor stands, and quite incidentally most of the Professors.

Harry was now chasing the snitch as it had decided that the stands would be a great place for it, but it gave up and pulled straight up into the clouds. Great, at least there are no Dementors today, I hope, flashed across his mind but this day the sky was clear of them. The snitch however had vanished once again into the snow, which was now blowing across the field.

Harry flashed past the Gryffindor stands noticing for the first time, the entire Weasley herd was sitting with McGonagall and Jordan in the Gryffindor box. Molly was sitting next to Arthur beaming. She had never been able to make a school game of Ron's before and now she was seeing 4 of her kids playing at once and brilliantly. As Harry flashed by a thought passed Molly's mind, well ok I only gave birth to two of them, but the other two are mine as well, or might as well be.

Ron defended against six more shots on goal and beat them all off, The Ravenclaw keeper wasn't as lucky, with Pavarti scoring another goal, Ginny two in a row and another goal by Hermione to the delight of the Gryffindor fans. The 2nd goal by Hermione had been particularly sweet as Ginny had the Quaffle and was shooting right to left across the goal hoops followed closely by Sampson, who was determined, not to be burned three times in a row by the same witch. Hermione had been shooting in a reciprocal course to Ginny and catching a flip pass from a laughing Ginny; with an accompanying "here sis" she shot the Quaffle behind Sampson's back to the right most goal.

"OH LORD HAVE MERCY WHAT A SHOT. 80-0 GRYFFINDOR"

A dangerous silence from McGonagall. A ROAR from the Gryffindor stands. And a "WAY T' GO 'ERMONE" from Hagrid, who jumped up and down in the Professor's box until Dumbledore made him stop, Dumbledore was afraid for the structural integrity of the box.

After another ten goals by Gryffindor went unanswered, Harry flashed by Ron and ducking a Bludger, stopped abruptly behind the hoops so as to stay out of Ron's way just in case he needed to defend suddenly. That problem was soon taken away, however as Hermione stole a quaffle downfield and passed to Ginny who rolled inverted, because she could and snapped a shot on goal. And the crowd went wild.

"190-0 Gryffindor" Leslie crowed.

"Ok Ron, I'm embarrassed for Ravenclaw, I'm going to end this now." Harry yelled over to Ron.

"I was just about to say the same thing mate, go for it." Ron replied, never taking his eyes off the field. He almost absently blocked a shot on goal by Hepburn and flung the Quaffle out of the zone.

Harry likewise had continued to scan the field and as he spotted the snitch flying down the center of the field he took off after it, his firebolt almost causing him to loose his breath as it accelerated to full throttle. Franklin who had been at the opposite end saw Harry in an obvious snitch run and took off as well. The snitch pulled up and ran straight at the Gryffindor chaser line with Harry gaining on its tail.

Franklin was coming from behind the Gryffindor girls, she looked at the snitch and then at Potter, Even he's not insane, he'll pull out of a head on with Granger, I assume even hero-boy would like to get laid, and if he pancakes with her, he's gonna have a long month or six she thought with a grin.

But unfortunately for her, Susan didn't understand two vital facts, first Hermione probably would forgive him long before one month passed much less six if he somehow ran into her and second, Harry's skill on a broom was parsecs beyond hers.

Getting closer to the three Gryffindor chasers by the second, Harry looked up, Hermione on three pull straight up...1...2...3 with this mental command, Harry snapped though the gap in the Gryffindor chaser line where Hermione had been, rolling inverted and snatching the snitch in one motion.

"POTTER DOES IT AGAIN...WHAT A GRAB.... GRYFFINDOR WINS 340-0" Jordan screamed, jumping up and down and slapping the hand of her brother Lee who had come to the game with Fred and George, they had closed down the shop for the day.

Harry just smiled at Jordan's remarks and pulled up to Hermione who was hovering about thirty feet above the center of the pitch. "Have fun?"

"Yep, can we play again?" She responded her eyes alight.

Chuckling Harry leaned over to her, "Not today dear." He kissed her, as they both hovered on their brooms to the accompaniment of many, many flash bulbs from wizard cameras in the crowd. This picture would eventually end up in both the yearbook and in the school's brochures. And if they survived to have them, haunt their children for years to come.

That evening's victory party was also one for the record books. Ron, Seamus and Dean, through Ron's familial contacts on the outside, had acquired copious amounts of butterbeer and firewhiskey and smuggled them in. It's amazing what one could do with the Weasley twins helping, adequate funding, a borrowed invisibility cloak and the active inattention of the Head Boy and Head Girl. Who for their part had disappeared soon after the game and had not yet emerged to the main common room. Ron had looked for them, but after running into a rather strong impervious charm on their stairs had he had just smiled and turned around. Muggle music pumped from a bewitched CD player that had somehow gotten installed in the Gryffindor common room last year as he took a sip of his drink.

About ten Harry and Hermione emerged from their stairs, to a chorus of BOO's and thrown snacks, which they promptly jinxed in mid-air to fly backwards, just like the snowballs at Christmas. They wandered over to Ron and Luna who were watching Ginny drink some 5th year boys under the table, shot for shot.

"What's up with that?" Harry asked nodding towards the table where the tiny fire-haired witch had just slammed another shot.

"OHHH, Greg Thomas and his buddy Edgar there challenged her to a drinking contest." Luna replied absently.

"They're like twice her size," Hermione objected with a slight frown as she pulled a small piece of parchment and a quill from her robe pocket. She scribbled something on it, folded it into an airplane, and blew on its tail. The little note obediently flew to the Head's staircase and up to her desk in the rooms above.

"Yeah they're screwed, " Ron replied grinning. "What was that, Herm?"

"A reminder to brew handover cure in the morning." While they were watching, Edgar picked up his shot and promptly fell over, off his chair to the floor. Harry, who felt that he should do something as Head Boy, waved his wand at the unconscious Gryffindor and levitated him to a couch out of the way. "What are the stakes?"

"Oh I think Greg wanted a date with Ginny, or Ginny gets twenty galleons. Which she owes me by the way." Ron replied as Greg very shakily took his 7th or 8th shot.

Harry took a gulp of the butterbeer in his free hand, the other was around Hermione's waist, his fingers idly drumming in time with the music on her hip, "And Neville allowed this?" Neville was over playing a game of muggle poker with two 4th years, Harry noticed that the vast majority of the knuts and sickles were in front of Neville."

"I don't think he was concerned" And as with many of Ron's statements this was prophetic, as Greg promptly slid out of his chair to sprawl on the floor. Ginny got up with a little wobble saluted the fallen, with her shot, slammed it, and took twenty galleons out of Greg's pocket. With a muttered, "Wingardeum Leviosa" Ron sent him over to join his friend.

Harry and Hermione only butted in once the party had well and truly gone over the edge. After all they were enjoying the party too, but the attempt by the 4th year girls to get the 1st year boys to funnel firewhiskey was a bit much. Hermione grabbed the leader of the offending girls and dragged her over to a corner, her guilty co-offenders following along morosely. Ron looked over at Hermione's McGonagall impression and winced, and muttered to Harry out of the side of his mouth, "I'm soo glad that not me, mate."

"Yep me too" Harry replied, absently looking at the obvious attempts of the 4th year boys to pick up some half-sotted 3rd year girls; he ambled over to "mediate" this, glancing at his watch as he went. He caught Hermione's eye from across the room, Mione, it's like 3am we probably should shut this down. As he got over to the 4th years, Harry instructed, "Let it go boys, not tonight."

Yeah you are probably right Hermione responded from across the room with a thought and she started to pace about, sending the girls to bed. From past experience if she could get the girls to retire, the party would usually die off on it's own. She motioned with her head to Pavarti and Lavender, who were enjoying the attentions of Ginny's male year mates. Lavender pouted, but at a raised eyebrow, she grabbed her roommate and headed for the spiral steps. Only to slide back down, along with a drunken Eddie Cats who had just reached the 6th stair and set off the stair protections. "Harry" she yelled across the room nodding at the new slide in the corner.

Harry looked over and seeing the problem, waved with his wand in the general direction of the stairs, which reset itself. As if this act were a signal the portrait opened and McGonagall stepped through the portrait hole, looking annoyed in her tartan robe. Witnessing that her Head's were already breaking up the party she was slightly mollified, though when she noticed that at least one of her prefects, Ginny, was passed out snoring over a table, her lips grew thin. She motioned over Harry and Ron. "Potter, Weasley do you know what time it is?" She said in a growl, her Scottish burr thick.

Save me Mione, Harry's thoughts flashed across the room to the accompaniment of silent laughter. "Yes, ma'am, that why's why we were sending them to bed." Harry responded honestly.

McGonagall motioned to the now-unconscious Cats on the floor by the girls stairs, "And that, do you know that the alarm goes off in my quarters when those bloody stairs go off?"

No but that's good to know, Harry remained outwardly silent as Hermione came over having finally gotten all of the still standing girls to bed. The boys had gotten the hint and were all gone with the exception of a few unconscious ones that their friends had not dragged to bed.

Seeing that all of the Gryffindor staff was now present, she glared at them, "I ought to sack all of you for this, but seeing as I have no decent replacements and Dumbledore has nobody else remotely suitable for the Head's jobs, your punishment will be to drag the rest of these miscreants to bed, and brew all of the hangover potion that this house will need for tomorrow, if I see a single hangover there will be hell to pay."

Harry winced a little, but he knew that she really didn't mean the sacking thing; she was just pissed about the stair alarm getting her up. He answered for them all, "Yes ma'am. "

With a final nod, she headed back off through the portrait hole. "And Ronald, wake up your sister." And she left, the portrait closing behind her.

The survivors looked at each other and broke out laughing. After a minute, Harry forced himself to stop laughing long enough to draw his father's wand and with a wand pointing at both the girls and boys stairs he muttered "locomotor dumbarses" and the remaining unconscious students started to levitate to their respective dorms.



A/N Next Chapter, a little good morning wake up, and another falls.

Built by Text2Html

24. Pets?

I own, nothing, nothing. Rowling owns it all.
Chapter 24: Pets?

******************Hogwarts, Harry's Room************************
January 27, 2006
5:30 am

A soft buzzing sound woke Harry; he opened his eyes to see only a mass of chestnut curls obscuring his vision. Easing back a bare few inches, he turned and squinted at the bedside clock. Hermione's alarm clock, which had somehow migrated into his room, read: "ARE YOU INSANE?" Flicking his fingers at the alarm, it shut up and shut itself into a drawer of his nightstand.

In his arms, Hermione stirred and rolled into his chest, the t-shirt that she had worn to bed riding up, baring her legs up to her hipbone, as she tossed a leg over his and settled back down. Harry grinned, and with a whispered charm, froze the mattress so it wouldn't move. Carefully, silently, he slid down the bed, pausing once his eyes were even with that teasing hipbone. With another quiet incantation, the black silk knickers she had worn to bed vanished. Harry's fingers trailed lightly up her leg, pausing at her curls. Hermione whispered something in her sleep and rolled on her back, her legs flopping open.

Oh yeah, sure Mione. Harry grinned as his head lowered, and his hands crept upward, pushing under her shirt. He could hear his own heart start beating faster as his hands felt the heat coming off her body. Nipping at her thigh, she jumped, but quickly lay still, too still. Harry's tongue flicked outward teasing, licking, as he continued with his wake-up.

"UMMMM" Hermione groaned, her hips coming up to meet him, any pretence of sleep gone. Her heartbeat started racing along with his, as another groan escaped her lips. Harry paused and grinned wider as he recognized the signs. Don't you dare stop...OHHHH, OHHHH Merlin...Even that thought was soon blown away as Hermione quivered, her thoughts crashing, her breath ragged. A long shuddering breath, a second, "Come here." Hermione managed and ever eager to please, Harry crept back up dragging her shirt up with him and over her head. He tossed it over his head to land on Crookshanks, who hissed at them and headed out of the room. Her hands slipped to his waist and pulled his shirt off to join hers.

Tasting herself on his lips, Hermione slipped her tongue to meet his. "Harry," his name a moan, "Where the fuck is my wand?" Harry shrugged, and dropped his lips to her neck. He followed the hollow of her throat down between her heaving breasts, and up one to suckle gently, while his hand found the other. "Harry...ohhh, ummm" Hermione stammered.

"Uhhh?"

"I really think," She stopped as his lips crashed onto hers again, their tongues dancing once more. Her thought forgotten until she felt something pressing against her hip, "Love, I..." Without a pause, Harry reached under her head, under her pillow and handed her an intricately carved, ivy wood, dragon-heartstring-cored wand. If she hadn't already been flushed, she would have been at forgetting her wand was under her pillow. Inconceivous, Hermione incanted in her thoughts, then with another wand flick, vanished Harry's pants. Tossing her wand in the general direction of the nightstand, a soft sound, very much like a purr came from the back of her throat as Harry got the hint.

Lowering his lips to hers, Harry kissed her a bit breathlessly as they lost themselves in each other. With a strength that very few knew she had, Hermione clamped her knees about his hips, rolled them over and lowered herself smoothly. With a slight grin, after an eternal pause, she started moving, their pulses, and breathing, in time.

Biting her lower lip, her hair suddenly damp, Hermione looked down at Harry, her brown eyes almost black. Reaching up, Harry pulled her down to him, her lips once more meeting his as she rocked faster, as if trying to outrace her, their beating hearts.

Around the room, small objects began to rise, and an odd energy started crackling. Unnoticed to either of them, soft blue glows started to spill from their eyes. Crookshanks, who had edged back into the room, looked up at the floating objects, the chain lighting and left quickly, shaking his head as he went.

Ohhh fuck me..." Harry groaned, as mesmerized, he watched her chest heaving, the sweat glistening in the early pre-dawn light.

"Trying..." the giggle was cut off abruptly as....

Pulses raced, and with a final effort, they crashed as one, muscles quivering as Harry let go with a sudden rush of warmth. With their mutual explosion, energy snapped outward in an invisible wave, shattering knickknacks and sweeping books and parchments to the floor from Harry's desk and shelves. Collapsing onto his chest, Hermione didn't move, only smiled a small, sated smile and nuzzled his neck, her purr, or was it his, louder. Harry turned his head and kissed her forehead, where she had rested it on his shoulder, "Morning, Hermione"

A brilliant smile lit her eyes and face, "Morning Harry." Without lifting her head from his shoulder, she brushed long, damp curls from her eyes and scanned about the room. Chocolate eyes narrowing, she laughed, "We really have got to learn to control that."

"Practice love, remember what your room looked like that first time?"

"Honestly Harry..." She glared at him from about three inches away, but the dual facts that she was obviously trying not to laugh, and was more than a little naked and still intertwined with him more than ruined the effect. Giving up, she chuckled, "fine, I'm just glad that you pay Dobby to clean up after you."

***********************Riddle Mansion**********************

January 27, 2006
Morning

A tall, thin man with long platinum blond hair and a decidedly long, pointed face walked to a heavy oaken door. He stopped and looked at the door, obviously warring with himself as if he really wanted to do this. He decided, and with a heavy sigh of foreboding, knocked on the door firmly and waited. After a long moment laden with the sound of his breathing, Bellatrix answered the door belting on a silk robe; it was painfully obvious that she had nothing on underneath.

A low, slightly disturbing voice with a hissing undertone came from the darkened room. "Why have you disturbed my...rest, Lucius?"

Lucius Malfoy took a steadying breath, "Our spy has found them; we know where Potter's remaining protection lies."

Do tell, Lucius." Lucius could feel the evil smile in the voice, and though it was probably his imagination, he could almost feel a cold wind blowing through the old mansion.

"#4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, my Lord." Malfoy responded, a glint in his eye.


*****************Hogwarts****************************

January 27, 2006

Harry was waiting outside of DADA for Hermione; she had gone to see Professor Vector about an Arithmancy assignment before classes started. Waiting, he looked out a convenient window at some first years; trying desperately to stay on the school training brooms, it was a disaster. As he watched, he wondered what would happen next, as this had certainly been an eventful year. Reaaly I hadn't noticed. I wish I knew what the hell Riddle and his cronies are up to. He mused. This is like 5th year he's building up to something, I don't know what, but I don't dare open myself up to him again, there's too much at stake. Harry spotted Hermione coming down the hall and his sprits instantly rose. Walking up to Harry, she gave him a peck on the lips as she interwove their fingers.

"What's wrong?" she asked, she had felt the tone of his thoughts, but not the substance, since he wasn't thinking at her.

"Just wondering what will come next?" He responded resignedly, Harry had long ago given up trying to shield her, it just made her mad, and she deserved better anyway.

"What ever it is we'll get through it together" Hermione replied back with a slight grimace.

While they were talking together the rest of the class showed up, waiting for Professor Dumbledore. They were only four months from their NEWTS and it was starting to show. Where some might once have skipped a Friday morning class, especially a double, today it looked like it was over flowing. As Harry glanced, around he noticed every one there, even and especially Malfoy. Watching his long time nemesis out of the corner of his eye he saw Draco's eagle owl swoop down to give him a message. "I wonder why Draco's getting an owl this late after the morning post?" Harry asked Hermione under his breath and waved at the same time to Ron who had just arrived from walking Luna to Divination.

"Don't know, if I had Crookshanks here or if Ron had had a proper rat, we could have had a familiar flinch the note" She replied with a grin to which Ron just rolled his eyes.

"If it's bad, I assume that we will eventually find out," Ron replied, not really wanting to expand on that thought.

Dumbledore strode up wearing purple robes, with blue moons, yellow diamonds and green clovers; he had liked the jingle, and his "funky" hat as Ginny had christened it. He unlocked the door and waved them to seats. "Today," he intoned "we will be looking at how to produce shielding charms for your familiars. These can be particularly useful say, if you are using your animal to carry messages in and out of enemy territory." He finished with a tiny, invisible unless you knew him well, wink to Harry as he said the last. In this class at least, Harry sat up front along with Hermione, and a grumbling Ron for a plethora of reasons

You couldn't have taught this to us before now? Harry thought ruefully, though he had reviewed this spell in the summer after Sirius died, at the time he had been trying to protect everyone he loved, Hermione, by not admitting his feelings and Hedwig by a protection spell. He had immediately cast the charm on Hedwig the minute he got back to Hogwarts, and now either he or Hermione would renew the charm as it ran out weekly. They had tried with Ron's owl, Pig but for some reason, it just wouldn't stick.

Dumbledore went on, "The incantation for this spell is Protego Familiarus. Does anyone know the properties and limitations of this spell?" He looked around and found no hands up except his two top students, so he went with Harry, it was his turn.

"Sir," Harry began "the protego charm for familiars, like the similar charm for Wizards, provides for defense against such spells as stunners and other combat jinxes and curses. As with other most other protection spells it does not provide for direct defense against unforgivables, however if the wizard that the familiar is bonded to is within eyesight of his or her familiar, the Imperious curse and Cruciatus curse will either not work or be very greatly lessened in its effectiveness. The Kedavra curse is unaffected of course. The spell also provides for limited defense against physical and flame damage to the familiar in question. The duration and effectiveness of the spell depends on two factors, the ability of the wizard casting it and the animal involved. The spell works best on phoenixes, owls, cats and kneazles, to a degree on lower mammals such as rats, and not at all on reptiles or amphibians. The usual duration of the spell is one hour to one week, depending on the wizard casting it, though there are examples of longer duration"

"Very complete and correct, Mr. Potter, take twenty points for Gryffindor, now for additional points does anyone know of an example of this spell that lasted longer than the usual one week or so. Anyone...Ahh Miss Granger." He said with straight face, though he was struggling not to smile, especially as he could see Malfoy out of the corner of his eye making his bucktoothed, 'mudblood face'. I ought to step outside for a second and let her at you for a second. You're living on borrowed time boy.

"Professor, the best examples of the spell lasting more than the usual limit of one week are Merlin's owl Samantha, and your own Phoenix, Fawkes" she replied, carefully not mentioning that Crookshanks and Hedwig's protection spells lasted at least a month each, Harry or herself renewed them every week after that test just in case.

"Also correct, Miss Granger take five points for Gryffindor, now if you don't already have them go get your pets, you have ten minutes. If you don't have a pet at Hogwarts go get a school owl. Don't grab any cats unless they are your own." He finished; the last because in Fred and George Wesley's NEWT year, last year after they returned to a free Hogwarts, one of them had grabbed Mrs. Norris and "mistakenly" unprotected her.

Harry grinned over at Hermione, neither got up, as they knew they didn't have to. In the wizarding world there were familiars and there were Familiars. The former were basically pets, though often possessed of some magical ability. The latter however, were closer to actual partners to the wizard or witch and would often appear when needed. Just as Fawkes did just now, as he appeared in a flare of light and landed on Dumbledore's shoulder. Harry leaned over to Hermione and whispered, "Thanks love, for making up the points I lost to Snape yesterday."

"That was bullshit, and you know it." She whispered back, "Anyway your answer already more than made up for it." Yesterday during potions, Snape took ten points from Gryffindor because Harry had looked 'shifty'; he had been just reading his book, not even looking at Snape. As she was talking, a snow-white owl swooped through the open door and settled on Harry's shoulder opposite her. Pig came with him and fluttered over to Ron. A minute later, Crookshanks strutted leading in Pavarti's and Lavender's cats. She had the strangest feeling that Hedwig and Crookshanks have herded the other pets down here like a prefect leading first years to the dorm. Harry also noticed this odd behavior and looked a question at her, which she answered with a shrug.

After a few more minutes Dumbledore restarted class. "Now that everyone has an animal please cast your charms." Harry covertly signaled Hermione to go first and she was the first one to 'be able to" cast the spell on Crookshanks, and thereby gain ten more points for Gryffindor, much to the annoyance of the Slytherin contingent. Harry's subtle indication for Hermione to go first was not lost on Dumbledore, he smiled briefly at it, and then watched Harry cast the charm at Hedwig, who flashed blue for a second then turned normal, a sign of a successful spell, who then gave a soft hoot to Harry.

The rest of the class was not as successful, the gossip twins were finally able to charm their animals after a half hour of trying and Draco was able to charm his eagle owl reasonably quickly. Many of the other students who were using school owls and as such were having problems getting the charms to take, as the owls from long experience, didn't like students aiming wands at them and they tended to duck or fly away. Ron was having particular problems, as Pig either wouldn't stay still or when Ron would cast the charm he would suddenly spin out of control and crash. Crookshanks just lied on the table in front of Hermione being petted and gazed longingly at Pig, as if lunch were served.

Harry glanced at Dumbledore, who with Fawkes on his shoulder, was walking among the students giving advice. Harry had long since concluded that Dumbledore secretly liked the pandemonium. But even he had his limits; eventually Dumbledore gave up and assigned a two-foot essay to those, including Ron, who had not managed to an animal protected.

"Harry, Hermione, my good friends" Ron started before they have even left the classroom.

"No Ron, I'll review it, but you're writing it." Hermione replied before he was even finished with the question. Ron just shook his head and stomped off towards lunch, with the other two following at a more sedate pace, their familiars once again riding their shoulders.

*******************#4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging**********************

4pm

Vernon Dursley had gotten off work early; He was at home in his incredibly average house complaining to himself as he watched the television. His large, florid self was crammed into a recliner that was almost too small for him; his tie and shoes were discarded over next to the couch. He was muttering contentedly to himself "at least that damn boy is gone, maybe I can make his room into a den." He was alone at the moment, Petunia had just left; she had forgotten to get Dudley's mid-evening snack in her shopping earlier in the day. Dudley was gone somewhere, undoubtedly out causing havoc with his friends, before coming home for his pre-dinner feeding.

As he was sitting in the chair the doorbell rang. "DAMN DOOR TO DOOR SALESMEN" Vernon growled as he levered himself up to get the door, all the while wishing his wife was here to get the bloody damn door. Opening the door, the pair whom he found waiting were far from salesmen. Two adults, one a vaguely disturbing woman with long black hair and heavy, sleepy-looking eyes, and the other, a tall man with very light, long blonde hair, were standing on his doorstep. Both were wearing black, the woman in particular was wearing an almost suggestive outfit under a cape that was artfully left open to display her wares. The odd pair was waiting with their heads down and their hands held behind their backs.

"Yes what do you lot want?" Vernon snapped at the two on his doorstep, and started to close the door.

"Vernon Dursley?" asked the woman suggestively in a low, soft voice, her dark eyes coming up to his.

"Yes," He replied and then he noticed the blokes hands, were now not behind his back. They were now in front of him and they weren't empty. Vernon opened his mouth "FR...."

"Silencio" Vernon never said anything again. He stood there in the doorway, his mouth open obviously trying to yell and his eyes bulging with sudden panic.

"Thank you Lucius," Bellatrix murmured to her companion. She pointed her wand at the fat man who was still screaming silently, "CRUCIO" Vernon fell back into the house, now writhing in pain, he remained that way for several seconds until he passed out from the white-hot knives rending his flesh invisibly. Bellatrix kicked him, and mentioned conversationally to the unconscious Vernon, "you are a worthless piece of shit, even for a muggle, aren't you, your nephew withstood that for several minutes from both myself and my master. Lucius look about for the others, they should be here according to our spy...I'll just play with this one for a bit longer."

Lucius shook his head and started searching the house leaving Bellatrix to her fun. As he was searching, he heard from the living room, "Enervate, CRUCIO." A series of loud thumps followed by silence, was heard, only to hear it all again. Lucius rapidly finished searching the house, but to no avail, they have missed the rest of the targets. Lily Potter's sister, and her fat son. We had always wondered what happened to Petunia, she dropped out of sight some years before Lily's death. He walked back into the living room and spotted Bellatrix getting ready to go again. "Enough fun Bellatrix, end it, I'll leave Potter a message."

Bellatrix pouted but pointed her wand between Vernon's bulging eyes anyway. "Avada Kedavra" A green flash lit the room and a rushing sound filling their ears, Vernon's eyes were suddenly dull and lifeless.

Malfoy pointed his wand skyward. "Morsmordre" the Dark Mark appeared above Privet Drive for any wizard to see. "Let us leave," Lucius held the door open for Bellatrix as she left the house, and closed the door behind him. In the house, there was no sound, until from somewhere outside, a double CRACK echoed off the tightly spaced homes.

*****************Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office***********************

4:30pm

Albus Dumbledore was sitting in one of his cozy armchairs opposite Minerva McGonagall a cup of hot chocolate in his hand. The headmaster and assistant headmistress of Hogwarts were sitting, discussing school assignments, the Quiddich season and just what they were going to do next year when Harry and Hermione graduated for DADA. Minerva wanted to offer the job to Hermione full time, as she reasoned that her husband, it was an open secret that Harry was just biding his time now among all the Order members except Hermione, would always be available to help also. Harry was a wonderful teacher, but they both thought he would be offered an Auror appointment immediately on graduation, especially since Kingsley Shaklebolt already had his badge made up.

Dumbledore disagreed slightly, he had a suspicion that either they both would be Aurors or something else together. He figured that both of them might be offered Auror slots, which would normally preclude teaching early in their careers. It wasn't uncommon for Aurors to take a year off and teach that class or to do so after retirement, witness Moody's attempt four years ago, but they generally did so after being on active duty for several years, similar as to what Tonks was doing now teaching the third years.

As Dumbledore finished his hot chocolate, he got up to get a refill from a carafe on the table. Suddenly with a flash Fawkes appeared, he settled on his shoulder and dropped a note in his hands. Reading it quickly, Dumbledore let out a low groan; his eyes dropped to the floor and he muttered an uncharacteristic "Bloody Hell."

Minerva had gotten up with Fawkes arrival, she took the note from his unresisting hands; she read it:

Albus,

Riddle has struck at the Dursleys. Vernon is dead, most likely tortured before he died. Petunia and Dudley were not here at the time, and are alive though Petunia is distraught. Arthur and Kingsley have a team of Aurors here oblivating all the muggles, they didn't destroy the house like the Granger attack. Suggest you get here as soon as possible.

Alastor

"Minerva, go get Harry...bring Hermione, and Ron also, if they are with him. He'll need them," Dumbledore said softly in the silence.

"Albus..."

"Just go Minerva."

****************Gryffindor Common Room*************

Harry and Hermione were sitting on their old couch in the Gryffindor common room. Across from them, Luna and Ron were sitting in a couple of old armchairs, they had a table pulled up between them and had a deck out, playing exploding snap, just to kill time before dinner. Crookshanks was sitting in Harry's lap trying to sleep but kept looking up every time a card exploded with a look of utter annoyance.

"So Harry, do you guys want to ride with us to Hogsmeade this weekend?" Luna asked throwing down a card with a bang.

"MEOW"

"Sure Luna", Hermione replied for him as she made her play. "I need to get some supplies before your fiancée drags us to the Three Broomsticks to see how much beer he can drink in three hours."

"I only did that once Hermione!" Ron replied indignantly. To which Harry only raised an eyebrow, "okay maybe a couple more times, but I was dared."

The portrait hole opened and turning to look, they all saw Professor McGonagall standing there looking...tired. "Harry", she said in an unusually mild voice, "please come with me, Hermione, Ron, Luna you can come too if you like, please make sure that you have your wands...Harry, Hermione, please get some muggle street clothes on also." McGonagall added, as she noticed that unlike Ron and Luna, the two still had their uniforms on. This last was the kicker, almost no one wore the uniforms around on the weekend, and Harry had even seen Dumbledore, in jeans and a sweatshirt, one early Saturday morning. It was Friday afternoon, and the only reason that they hadn't changed yet was that Harry and Hermione had had to go down to turn in some paperwork to the school bookkeeper and hadn't had a chance. Harry suddenly felt a kick in his gut; he knew that without anyone saying that Voldemort had struck a muggle target, but where?

"Ok Professor," the four all sprinted up their respective stairs. As Harry was grabbing an old leather jacket to replace his robes he glanced over at Hermione who had already skinned into jeans and a dark jumper. As he spotted her school uniform lying on his floor, a random thought crossed his mind, I wonder when McGonagall is going to realize that we basically use Mione's room as a closet now, we've slept together every night for the last two, three weeks. A smile flitted across Hermione's face as she heard the thought but didn't say anything. "Let's go." They ran back downstairs, where Ron and Luna were waiting, they only had to grab their coats and in Luna's case her wand, which she had used to hold her hair in a knot.

As they were walking down the hall Hermione glanced over at Luna, That's not a bad idea with the wand Luna's got, you can have your wand handy and Muggles wouldn't recognize it as a wand.

The group of five reached the gargoyle without incident, or seeing anyone else in the halls. With a muttered password, the gargoyle stepped aside and the group rode the stairs to the door at top, which McGonagall entered without breaking stride, or knocking for that matter. Harry just shrugged and entered behind her.

Dumbledore was waiting for them standing in front of his massive oak desk, seemingly nonplussed at their entrance. Immediately Harry, knew, not what exactly, but he knew that something wicked this way had already came. With a tired expression Dumbledore waved them in, "Good Minerva, you've brought Ronald and Luna as well as Hermione. Harry here," Dumbledore handed Harry the note, Hermione gasped as she read it over his shoulder.

"Mione you..." Harry began hesitantly.

"No she should go..." Dumbledore countered grimly.

Harry looked at her, worriedly, "But she might..."

"I've seen the mark before Harry." Hermione uttered without visible emotion, though they were thundering though Harry and her shared thoughts, as she confirmed Ron's and Luna suspicions.

Harry nodded fractionally, and with a deep breath and a shared look, he took Hermione's hand in his with a tiny shudder. "Lets go" Dumbledore snapped his fingers and they were in Little Whinging. The place that Harry had said that he would never return to.




A/N: Aw Cliffies, I don't mean to write them...they just happen. Sorry.

Built by Text2Html

25. Grim Homecoming

I still don't own any of this universe. Darn it.
Chapter 25, Grim Homecoming

********************#4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging*************************

The group had apparated, or whatever it was that Dumbledore did when he disappeared, it sure did get past the Hogwarts wards. In an instant, they were standing in the living room of Harry's 'Home' since his parents had died. They had arrived in the back yard; and other than a small gasp from Luna, no one had said anything about the Dark Mark that floated over the house. Muggles couldn't see it after all, so after the Aurors had completed obliviating the neighbors to think no one lived here, they had even thrown a for sale sign up in the yard. Arthur had conferred briefly with Dumbledore and then left to inform the appropriate muggle authorities of the matter and that it had already been hidden.

In the corner of the living room Vernon Dursley was lying covered with a sheet. Dudley and Petunia were in the kitchen, where McGonagall was trying to get her to take a Draught of Peace mixed in with her tea. Curiously as Minerva walked in, Harry thought he saw a flash of recognition on Petunia's face, but she had never met McGonagall before had she?

Looking around the living room, Harry took in Vernon's smashed, prized wide-screen TV, the china that lay broken on the floor from a tipped cabinet. After surveying the damage, Harry turned to Moody. Mad-Eye had stayed behind when the Aurors and the rest of the Order members had left. Glancing at Vernon, Harry asked in a voice soft enough to not be heard in the kitchen, "What happened Alastor?"

"Well lad, from descriptions that we got from the neighbors before we oblivated them, it looks like Bellatrix and Lucius were responsible for this. Vernon there has all the marks of one of her victims. A Kedavra Curse did the final deed, but we were able to detect a silencing charm and multiple usages of the Cruciatus Curse as well." Moody reported in a tone to match Harry's.

'Thanks Alastor, that's about what I figured," Harry replied tonelessly. Hermione squeezed his shoulder for comfort, mindlessly; he stuck a spare hand on top of hers.

With a thunderous CRACK, the room was much more crowded. It looked as if the second wave had arrived, as ten Death Eaters apparated into the house led by Antonin Dolohov. They had the drop on Harry and the others, most of whom had pocketed their wands. "Potter...I see that I didn't manage to kill your little mudblood bitch last time, I still remember you screaming, Oh wake up Hermione, Oh please wake up, oh don't be dead..." He trailed off to the laughter of his fellow Death Eaters. "We'll make sure that she enjoys our company this time though 'eh boys?" The remainder laughed even harder at Dolohov's taunts.

To their amazement however, Harry just smiled at them, and chuckled a bit, though there was no mirth in the sound. "Dolohov, you stupid git, you only showed up here with ten to seven odds." Meanwhile, unseen to Dolohov, Harry and Hermione who each had one of their arms around the other's waist, each grabbed the other's second wand.

"Looks like there are only six of you, you can't count either Potter?" Dolohov sneered to the accompaniment of fresh laughter from the Dark Minions accompanying him.

"Noo seven" A decidedly Scottish burr sounded from the kitchen. Dolohov turned in shock and...

"STUPEFY" Harry and Hermione, cried as one, four red bolts snapped out dropping four Death Eaters, two on each side of Dolohov. Even as the stunners were flying they were diving to the floor and away from each other, both of them lining up on Dolohov.

"Petrificus Totalus," Luna shot, ducking a red stunner bolt and the odds were suddenly shifted in the good guys favor, as her victim fell face forward into the shag. As she recovered from her crouch, a Death Eater lined up on her "Avada AHHHH" and his hand fell to the floor, spurting blood from Ron's severing charm. Ron closed the gap in one stride and chopped the Death Eater in the throat, dropping him to the floor.

"Protego" Dumbledore snapped. Three stunners hit his shield at the same time, and whined off together to blow chunks from the living room ceiling. With a wry smile, he responded with a bellowed "EXPELLIARMUS" that not only disarmed all three of the Death Eaters but also knocked each back into the walls, leaving three man-shaped dents. All three were out cold.

In the span of seconds, Dolohov stood alone in a ring of fallen Death Eaters, nine wands suddenly pointed at his heart. "Dolohov give up, you aren't going anywhere, I think Azkaban still has your cell waiting," Harry pronounced calmly, "At least one of your scum is dead," he added as he kicked at the handless Death Eater.

"No Potter, I can not say that I will...let us dual...one on one, the winner leaves. I assume that your comrades have enough honor to allow us that caveat." Dolohov responded; his eyes filled with a dark fire. "However let it be in the old way...steel on steel" He smiled darkly as he slowly pulled a long, black saber from beneath his cloak. Silence reigned in the room, Ron eased closer to Luna as Dolohov leaned on his sword negligently.

Glancing back at Dumbledore, Harry received a fractional nod, it was up to him, he trusted him to do what was best, but he knew that Harry needed closure. "Appero Sword" In an instant, the smooth sheath of the Sword of Gryffindor filled his hand, the sword in it, ready to be drawn.

Dolohov smiled manically, as his glare flickered over to Hermione. "Oh I forgot mudblood...your mother was soo much fun." He spat, and erupted in an almost giggle-like laugh that raised hackles on the necks of the onlookers.

With these words Hermione put her hand on Harry's shoulder once more and murmured, "Mine, love."

Are you sure?

YES, She almost shouted in her thoughts, her chocolate eyes growing dark. Harry met her eyes for a long moment, a entire conversation passing in an instant. With a solemn nod, Harry offered her the hilt of the sword over his arm, like a squire arming his knight. With a bleak smile, Hermione drew the sword from the sheath in a whisper of steel.

At this unexpected development, Dumbledore's eyebrows almost met his hairline, but he uttered no comment, only casting a muttered "ENVESCO." Instantly, all the furniture and bodies vanished, the Death Eaters into a pile in another room, Vernon into the upstairs bedroom. The living room was suddenly quite large and white without any furniture or knick-knacks; the only colors marring its pure whiteness were from the people in the room and the blood on the carpet from Ron's opponent. Harry silently motioned everyone back, though he did have to flash his eyes at Ron to get him to move.

Dolohov could not believe his luck, not only did Potter accept his challenge giving him a change to escape, but he had forfeited in favor of his bitch. This may almost work out even better than planned. This follow up was to just wound them some more, and maybe capture Potter, no one expected to actually get Dumbledore. When I kill Potter's whore however, that may destroy him even more effectively than a curse. He thought gleefully as he approached, raising his dark, curved sword. He chortled darkly as he got ready, his every manner radiating confidence.

Hermione on the other hand, just stood there in a ready position, breathing slowly and evenly, her face bereft of emotion. She glanced over at Harry and received a slow, knowing nod, in turn.

Dolohov hammered his sword hard and fast in a vertical strike at Hermione's head, when it connected it would cleave her in left and right haves, and end the duel instantly.

The attack never landed however. With a massive CLANK, Dolohov's strike met the Gryffindor Sword, which Hermione had snapped into a high block in the blink of an eye. His muscles straining, he tried to force her sword down, to no avail. Sweat suddenly stung his eyes, and a sudden, desperate thought filled his head, what the hell, this is just a girl, a little mudblood girl.

Hermione stood motionless holding the block; she showed no sign of strain at all, almost as if there was no sword to hold away from her head. With a soft DO IT, Mione in her thoughts, she looked up into Dolohov's eyes and smiled coldly, as cold as the space between the stars. With a flash of power, her eyes lit up a bright blue and...time stood still...she pushed up fractionally, freeing her sword and spinning to her left around his back...Hermione snapped the tip of the sword up his back, from his right kidney to his left shoulder opening his spine up in a spray of blood...and with a twist of her wrist, she flung the blade back to the right...time sped up again to normal. Dolohov took one tottering step and fell forward. His head fell free from his shoulders with the step and rolled into a corner of the room, which was now far from white.

With a gasp, Hermione's eyes faded to their normal chocolate color and she collapsed to her knees, the sword tumbling from her suddenly limp fingers. Heedless of the spreading red stain in the white shag, Harry dove to her side and threw his arms around her. She glanced over to her right and after noticing the body of Dolohov, laying there about a foot shorter than it started, she fell forward onto her hands dragging Harry with her and preceded to loose everything she had eaten for the last week.

After a minute or so of dry heaves, Harry squeezed her tighter, and whispered "You a'right love?"

"No...but I will be as long as you don't leave." She replied softly without looking up. Harry helped her to her feet and they walked over to Dumbledore hand in hand. With a meaningful glance over at Moody, she nodded towards Dolohov's corpse. "Send Riddle compliments from the Mudblood, and the Boy-Who-Lived...Harry lets go home." Harry snapped out his free hand and his sword flew to it. With that final action, her eyes and Harry's met, they flashed as one, and they disapparated with a CRACK that echoed in the room for almost a full minute afterwards.

"The message will be sent lass." Moody muttered to the puff of smoke hanging in the air.

McGonagall hurried over to Dumbledore, an odd expression plastered on her face. She glanced over at Ron and Luna, both of whom were looking around tiredly, only a little shocked at today's developments. In an undertone she questioned him, heatedly. "Albus, did they just disapparate back to Hogwarts? And how did the Death Eaters apparate in here?"

"Looks rather like it, or perhaps Grimmauld Place, but I assume that it is Hogwarts they went to." Dumbledore said with a shrug, seemingly unconcerned where they had gone. "And as to the other...the wards were based on Harry being protected in the home of his closest blood relative...when Vernon died, Petunia must not consider this home any longer.

"They shouldn't be able to do that." She whispered back, the shock in her eyes framed by her glasses.

"It appears that they did however, Minerva. Alastor, I believe that you have a duty. Minerva, have Ronald and Luna help you, and take the remaining Dursleys back to Hogwarts. Put them up in the guest quarters. I will be in my office if you need me." Dumbledore replied and disappeared without a sound.

"Ron, Luna as you are packing up, if you can find me a box that would be splendid. A hatbox would be perfect." Moody said with barely repressed glee, as he pulled a well-worn hip flask from inside his cloak, and took a deep draught.

***********************Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office******************
10:35pm

Hermione, Harry, Ron and the rest wearily left Dumbledore's office. The events of very recent history weighed heavily on their minds. The door closed behind the teenagers, which unknown to them, acted almost like a switch on their Head of House.

Minerva McGonagall whirled on Dumbledore, and fixed him with the same glare that had terrorized countless Hogwarts students over the generations. However as with later generations of that family tree, he had learned to deal with that look, he just sat back and contemplated his desktop, letting her have her say. "Albus," She growled, her burr thick in her anger, "what the hell was that today? You should have known it was a trap, hell I knew it was a trap, but no...I was the faithful assistant once again, and I went up and got them, and told them, I told Harry that he had to go back there, and that he should take the very people that he cares about more than life itself with him. And he did, why the fool boy trusts you, why he trusts any of us after how we sat and refused to tell him anything, that whole damn year except "stay here, learn Occlumency, don't ask questions you are too young."

She stopped and took a breath, gathering steam. Dumbledore frowned slightly at her speech but he didn't impede her as she continued. "Hermione took a head today, Albus, she dueled with a Death Eater, with a BLOODY SWORD! And Weasley killed that other one as well. You've made those kids killers, Albus." Her accusing glare reflected in her glasses as she crossed her arms.

Suddenly a sound like a cannon shot echoed off the walls of the ancient office, as Dumbledore's large hand slapped his desk. Minerva jumped at the sound but stared at him resolutely, not backing down. Dumbledore took a deep breath, and then in a flat tone of voice, "Tom made them killers, not I or not them." Gradually emotion started to bleed back into his voice as he went on, sadness and longing for a time past, and hopefully to come again. "Minerva, do you really think my heart doesn't break a little more, each time those kids are made to once again save our collective arses? That every time Harry, who I was forced lie to for six years, or sixteen rather depending on how you look at it, that I couldn't tell him that he was my only remaining grandchild. That I didn't cry that night he had to carry Cedric home, after he once again did the impossible. That whole year when I, not him was too afraid to even look at him, because I was afraid, of a mistake I made fifty or so years ago. When I didn't squash Riddle like a cockroach when I could, back when he was a mere student? "

McGonagall looked shocked at that last pained admission, she had known that Dumbledore was here at that time, but she hadn't realized that he had thought something odd even then. Pondering these thoughts, she listened at Dumbledore's monologue which he had continued unabated.

"Minerva, you asked if realized that I have made those kids killers, that as Hermione, herself accused me as she called me on another one of those mistakes, that I had made Harry, and by extension her and Ron and so many others weapons in my war with Voldemort. Do you want me to count the number those kids have had to kill, fine it's easy, each one is like a scar on my heart, The nine that Harry has killed, five or so with that sword you so ably mention. Or how about Hermione, the girl who like my grandson, lost her parents to poor decisions of mine, the girl if it where not for this damn war would probably be my granddaughter-in-law already, and would have a father to walk her down the aisle in the Great Hall, who has been forced to take five heads, so to speak, to use your colorful example. Or how about Ron, the joker of the bunch, he's just managed four or so."

"STOP IT DAMN IT ALBUS" Minerva cried, and he nodded mournfully.

Dumbledore nodded, softly, slowly, "I am sorry, Minerva, I have one hundred fifty or so years that I admit to, and this is my third war with a Dark Lord, I'm tired...Earlier, before we blew up at each other you asked what I was thinking sending them in there, and by definition I assume that you either are or soon will be questioning some of my decisions since Harry came back from that graveyard, in hindsight. The truth is we were loosing the last war against Voldemort, and the only thing that saved us all, was that James and Lily sacrificed themselves so Harry could produce his first miracle. When Harry defeated him, it gave us time, time that I almost squandered, and I did cause Sirius' death, at least in how it happened. We lost last time, because, from the beginning we were running scared, reacting to Voldemort's attacks and not taking his forces out, we were content to just defend ourselves. And this time, if I ever to give Harry back any of that childhood he lost, to give his children one at all, we have to take the fight to them when we can, we can't hide, we can't cower, we have to stomp out this evil. Maybe if we...I had fought harder last time, Harry, and Hermione and all the rest would still have parents, and children, and lovers and...."




A/N Here ya go. Next Chapter, the fallout from this one.


Built by Text2Html

26. Aftermath Part Duex

Chapter 26, Aftermath Part Deux

********************Hogwarts, Harry and Hermione's dorm**************

January 28, 2006
7am

It was a long, long night for many in the ancient castle. At the top of Gryffindor Tower, Harry and Hermione had held each other the entire lingering, cold night. In her dreams, Hermione relived a series of jumbled images, of the desperate running battle in the Ministry, of the purple flame coming from Dolohov's wand towards her, many, too many images of Harry lying broken or unconscious, of her parents broken on the floor, of the death mark hovering over her childhood home, and of the infinitely slow fall of Dolohov's body as his head separated from his body. With a gasp, she awoke, glancing over at Harry with an instinct born of hard won experience. He was also shaking in his sleep, muttering her name almost desperately. With a soft moue of disquiet, she hugged him tighter, kissing his forehead as he slept fitfully.

For Harry it was just another restless night in a long series of nightmares. Since Christmas, and Hermione's now permanent co-occupancy, he had been able to sleep without the constant dreams. That was gone. Dolohov's comments had taken their toll, striking back from the grave. Images of Hermione's families funeral, Molly lying in St Mungo's, that Death Eater falling to his blade on the roof, and the truly heartbreaking images of his parents dieing, of Sirius falling though the veil and finally, and most terribly, of Hermione laying lifeless on the floor of the Ministry, this time with Neville just looking at him, horror in his eyes. He almost woke up at the last, but as he felt her arms around him and her lips on his forehead, his dreams quieted, and he slipped into a peaceful slumber.

An hour or so later Harry was still peaceful, so carefully slipping to their shared bathroom, Hermione stood under the shower. Leaning her head against the cool tile she started to cry at first gently, then after a moment, outright bawled, her shoulders trembling, the tears mixing with the spray. Without warning, a pair of welcome arms suddenly surrounded her and held her tight. Looking back, she saw Harry, still in his pajamas, holding her under the shower. "You're getting your clothes all wet," Hermione muttered, relishing his embrace.

"I have more, anyway I can always take these off." He replied softly.

Leaning her head back onto his shoulder, she replied in a harsh whisper, "Thanks love, but if you do that we'll never get out of here and your clothes will still be wet."

"Ok then?" the concern in his voice almost was physical in its intensity.

"For the moment anyway."

Harry leaned forward and kissed her shoulder. He slipped out of the shower muttering a drying charm as he went.

After a couple of more minutes Hermione finished her shower. She dried her hair with a towel, magic just made it frizzy. Slipping on a fresh pair of jeans and the same sweatshirt that she had worn to pick Harry up from the Dursleys so many months ago; she padded back to their shared room. Harry was sitting up in bed; he was dressed similarly to her. He was absently staring at the wall across the room, while he flipped an odd silver knife open and closed with flicks of his wrist. Sensing her presence, he performed a single hard opening and in the same motion snapped the knife in an overhand toss to stick in the closet door. She walked over and pulled the knife out. The blade had a butterfly etched on it, with the words bali-song across it. Hermione flipped the knife closed and silently walked back to Harry, plopping down on the bed next to him.

"You know that's Sirius'?" Harry asked morosely.

"Yeah"

" I wasn't going to hurt myself, it's like twirling a wand or a quill between your fingers." He explained.

"I know, dear."

"When I found it back in Sirius' old bedroom, Lupin related the story about how, he and dad and Sirius had gone on a road trip to America the summer before their seventh year, and Sirius found it in some little shop in Oregon. He thought it was cool so he bought it. Why do they call it a road trip anyway they apparated?" Harry finished, a slightly perplexed look in his eyes.

"Hell if I know" She replied, softly chuckling.

"I didn't even like Vernon, no strike that, I hated and despised Vernon, you know what he did when he thought I couldn't strike back. That day you came for me was a wakeup call, I had already not so subtly reminded him that I was of age, and that his arse was grass if he wanted to push it. He had come up to shut me up...I had been having nightmares again, of Sirius...."

"And me..."

"Yeah...The thing is I don't hate my aunt, I don't know if I love her even as some sort of distant familial thing, but I didn't really want her hurt." Harry trailed off and she leaned her head against his. They sat there like that for a while, fortunately it was Saturday; they didn't have to be anywhere. Though neither could help but remind themselves that less than fifteen hours ago, they were talking about the Hogsmeade trip that the majority of their housemates would be leaving for soon. After a few more minutes they decided to get up and try to choke something down at breakfast.

Descending the stairs from the Head's rooms, they spotted Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville waiting for them in the common room chairs nearest the fire. Ron and Luna looked particularly anxious; they had been at the Dursleys along with Harry and Hermione. Ginny and Neville were less flustered, but they had already been told what had happened. Ginny came up and grabbed Hermione in a hug while Ron looked at Harry expectantly. "You guys ok?" He said softly, voicing the other three's concerns, as well as his own.

Harry just nodded slowly, Hermione broke out of Ginny's hug, "I'm fine Ginny; I just did what needed to be done." Ginny just gave a slight frown and nodded, the battle at the Ministry and everything that had happened in the year and a half since, had convinced her of that. A fact that broke Harry's heart a little. It was the tired realization that his family, and that's de facto what they were, if not de jure, had been forced into this war. At one time this renewed realization would have caused him to pull away from them, to push them away for some perceived extra degree of safety. But a conversion with Hermione, after they had finally admitted their feelings, had at least kept that from occurring. It was truly as she said, he may be the one in the prophesy that would in the end have face Voldemort and kill or be killed, but many more people than just him had a grim in the fight. If they failed to stop Voldemort, the world was his, and as Hermione had said if that happened all of their lives were forfeit anyway.

Ron broke the uncomfortable silence, "I don't know about you guys, but I'm hungry, is breakfast still on or do we need to flitch something from the kitchen?"

"It's over" Hermione responded absently, glancing at her watch, she wasn't sure that she could keep anything down anyway.

With a soft CRACK, Dobby appeared, a small grin under his pencil nose, "Would Harry Potter and his companions like some breakfast? Dobby and Winky were concerned when Harry Potter and his miss did not show up for breakfast."

Harry gave an involuntary chuckle at Dobby, "Ok, then," glancing around the room at his family, "I'll have some eggs, bacon and coffee?" Dobby was perhaps one of the oddest house elves in the history of the Wizarding world, he had bound himself to Harry out of loyalty and gratitude after Harry had freed him from sheer slavery at the Malfoys. Dobby and his companion Winky actually drew a salary of 20 galleons a month from Harry to work at Grimmauld place, but they somehow ended up working at Hogwarts too when Harry was here. Harry had tried to pay them much more but they wouldn't take it, though Hermione had appreciated the effort.

"I'll have the same as Harry" Ron put in then at a nod from Luna, "Make that two please."

"Me too" said Neville.

"Can I get just eggs and coffee, Dobby?" Ginny muttered as she watched Hermione out of the corner of her eye.

"Just coffee, Dobby" said Hermione, though after seeing Harry's expression she added, "add some toast too please."

Dobby just nodded and snapping his fingers he disappeared with a crack, only to reappear a couple of minutes later setting the food on a convenient table. "Will there be anything else Harry Potter Sir?"

"Just Harry..." but before Harry could complete his normal refrain Dobby had vanished again. Ron attacked his food, with the rest of them eating at a more sedate rate. Except for Hermione who seemed to be nibbling at her food, though at a look from Harry, she forced the toast down. Thank you, I don't want you to collapse.

It's hard, why doesn't it bother Ron?

I don't know, love, maybe it's the hair.

Giggle, Thank you Harry James Potter,

Anytime, Hermione Jane Granger.


Ron had glanced at them, immediately figuring that they were having another silent conversation, but for once he said nothing, just nodded at them and finished his coffee, his food was long gone.

Before anyone could ask the question on everyone's mind "What will we do today?" Hedwig swooped in with a note for Harry and Hermione. Hermione had installed charms on the Gryffindor tower windows some time before to allow them to automatically open for Hedwig and close after her. She settled on Hermione's shoulder and extended a leg so that Hermione could pull the note from her leg. The note was addressed:

Harry and Hermione
Gryffindor Common Room

Hermione handed the note to Harry, at the same time absently feeding a leftover crust to Hedwig who took it gratefully. Harry opened the note and held it so Hermione could read it as well:

Harry and Hermione,

Please come to my office at 10:00 am today. I am sorry to interrupt your morning, however like myself, I feel that your plans to attend Hogsmeade today, have been changed due to yesterday's events. If your friends still want to go to Hogsmeade today, I do not feel that would be dangerous.

Albus Dumbledore

Harry looked at Hermione, then at the others, and answered their unasked question, "Dumbledore wants us to meet with him this morning. You all go ahead to Hogsmeade; we'll let you know what happened, if we can, when you get back. Anyway if you don't mind, I think Mione and I need you guys to pick up supplies for us."

"Sure mate," Ron responded agreeably. After taking a quickly scribbled list from Hermione they said their goodbyes and walked out to the portrait hole. They were probably too late for the coaches, but there was always the secret passages.

*******************Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts**********************
10:00am

Hermione and Harry walked up to the stone gargoyle and stopped. But before they could even utter the password, the passage opened and the gargoyle said in a gravelly voice, "Dumbledore told me to expect you two and let you up when you get here." They rode the stairs and stopped once again before the door to the office and knocked. "Enter" came from inside the office in Dumbledore's deep voice.

The office was in fine form today, perhaps all the shiny gadgets were doing...something, at least half the portraits were muttering to each other or the occupants were walking from one portrait to another, pursing arguments with each other. Fawkes was also present, shining brightly, but instead of his usual perch, he was riding Dumbledore's shoulder. Dumbledore for his part was setting behind his huge desk. Today there was only one chair, and it was occupied. Harry raised an eyebrow at this; usually the only reason for there to be too few chairs was if they were in trouble and were going to get chewed out, but surely that was not the reason they were here today. Dumbledore, witnessing their confusion, shook his head and motioned them to come around to his side of the desk. Harry leaned on a corner of the desk, with Hermione perching on the edge beside him.

As Harry's gaze encompassed the chair, he received yet another in a long series of shocks in this office. Filling the chair was none other than Aunt Petunia. Even more amazing in a way than her presence, was the fact that she was not looking around at the insanity that was Dumbledore's office. Even Harry, who by now probably had the student record for appearances in this office followed closely by Hermione, Ron and the original Marauders, always at least glanced around to see what had changed. Petunia on the other hand, seemed to be totally incurious, almost as if she had seen it all before. She was slightly puffy-eyed as if she had been crying, but she also almost seemed resigned to something.

"Good, Harry you are here." Dumbledore commented as he glanced over to his left, to see the pair waiting. Glancing over at Petunia, who pursed her lips into a slight scowl, "I wanted you here for this Harry; I promised you that I would try to not keep anything from you following my mistakes of your fifth year. But there are some matters that I was not at liberty to relate to you, not because I did not want to, but at the request of those involved." Dumbledore finished, looking at Harry, obviously trying to apologize for keeping something from him again when he had promised that he would not. Harry just shook it off, he had a feeling that Dumbledore had made a promise, and if nothing else, he was an honorable man, he would have told Harry if he had been free to do so.

At Harry's nonverbal acceptance of the apology, Dumbledore went on, "I think that this is a time when actions speak as much as words." With that odd statement, he reached into the back of an upper desk drawer and took out a rectangular oak box about 14 inches long. Reaching across the desk he placed it in Petunia's non-resisting hand. Harry and Hermione looked on with just a little bit of shock, for they and all their friends also had boxes just like those upstairs in their rooms.

Petunia finally spoke her first words, still without looking up, "You told me that my past would be forgotten if I took the boy Dumbledore!" She stated accusingly, and then slid the cover back on the box. Nestled in the velvet-lined box, a 10-inch ash wand lay quiescent. Taking a deep breath, she picked it up; suddenly the room was briefly filled with a charge of magic, ruffling their hair before it settled down. Everyone in the room recognized the effect when a wand was united, or in this case reunited with its proper owner.

"I took great pains to keep my bargain, Petunia. Voldemort..." Harry noticed that his aunt was now openly cringing at that word, "had other ideas."

"Because of the boy..." though this comment was more introspective than accusatory.

"Because of me..."Harry started flatly, Hermione leaned her head against his shoulder in silent support, looking daggers at Petunia.

"No Harry," Dumbledore responded, "there were other reasons." He turned to Petunia and fixed her with the look that wilted many a miscreant at Hogwarts over the years, "I think it is up to you to explain yourself to your nephew."

"Not in front of her..." Petunia spat, she still remembered the incident at Kings Cross, now several months past.

"She stays," Harry and Dumbledore stated flatly at the same time, then Dumbledore continued, "She also deserves the truth for many reasons."

"Oh...all right...As I sure you've already figured out, I'm a witch Harry; your mother wasn't the only muggle-born in the family. I was two years behind your mother...I was in love with a boy, who was I think in love with me...I was never beautiful like your mother, but he liked me for me, you know? You have to understand, the hatred for muggle-bornes was much more pronounced back then. You-Know-Who was on the rise to power and he had many supporters more or less in the open, especially in the Ministry.

She paused as if organizing her thoughts "I was walking to class with...Nick..." Petunia trailed off and for several moments silence was heard in the office, then she slowly continued, with a shuddering breath. "Nick was walking with me to class, and another boy, Albert McNair, jumped out of a passage and knocked my books out of my hand. He laughed, saying that mudbloods couldn't even walk straight. Nick always had a temper and he challenged him to a duel right then. McNair was never too good at dueling, but he couldn't very well back down...to a mudblood lover, he accepted and he fired at Nick before they were even ready. Nick cursed him back and McNair fell and hit his head. He died in St. Mungo's two days later. The Aurors came and took Nick away, McNair was a pureblood, and Nick was only a half-blood. The court convicted him to ten years in Azkaban...He hung himself after a month."

She stopped again and wiped away some tears. "I couldn't take it and ran up here and slammed my wand down and said I couldn't live in this world. I demanded that Dumbledore let me leave, which he did. I was mad at your mother because she was staying, she was in love with your father at the time and wouldn't dream of leaving. Why didn't you snap my wand Albus, I wanted you to."

"Lily hoped that someday you would return." Dumbledore answered softly.

"Figures...I met Vernon, after I had been back at a Muggle finishing school for a year, and I married him after we graduated a year later. He was nice at first, especially after Dudley was born. But after you came he changed. He had never liked your parents; he met them at our wedding. Your mother tried to get me to reconsider, saying that I could come back, but I refused. Vernon for his part didn't like James, he was having problems at the time finding employment and hated your father for having no visible means of support."

"He was an Auror," Harry muttered flatly.

"I know, and I knew then, but for some reason Vernon was deathly afraid of magic, or anything that could possibly be magic. To this day I don't know why, I always figured that he saw something when he was young, and was never obliviated, I didn't ask. I never told him of my past, until your mother died, and Hagrid showed up on our doorstep with you. That night was...rough, and it ended with Dumbledore performing a memory charm on Vernon, and making a bargain with me, that my past would remain hidden as long as I sheltered you under my roof.

Still Vernon, resented your parents, and their dumping you on us. I know I should have stopped his excesses, but it was like with you, he was so much bigger than me, and I had renounced magic. When your Hogwarts letter arrived, I knew with the first owl...that's basically it. I'm now homeless and my husband is dead, because a maniacal madman is on a purity quest. I estranged my last remaining blood relative because I didn't have the courage to stand up to my husband, and I have a fat lazy son, who is probably right now in the kitchens eating or trying to pick on a house-elf if someone has shown him where they are. And I'm a thirty-some odd year old half-trained witch. Happy Albus?"

As Petunia finished her explanation, Harry was immediately filled with competing emotions: anger, pity, disgust, sadness, "I can't say that I can forgive you right now Petunia, but know I never truly hated you...Professor Dumbledore if that is all?" Harry asked, hopeful to escape.

"No Harry, the two of you please tarry here a moment longer. Petunia, please go to Minerva's office, I believe she is waiting for you there." Petunia got up without meeting Harry's eyes, and walked out of the office quickly.

After she left Dumbledore motioned to the two still perched on his desk. "Harry, I believe that you have some other familial relations to tell Miss Granger. I feel that in light of yesterday and today's events everything that can be related should be to those who should know..."

With a slow glance over at Dumbledore, Harry received a slight, reassuring nod. He looked forward again, not wanting to meet Hermione's eyes, as he felt guilty for not telling her as soon as he could have. "Mione, I, er..."

Grabbing his chin, Hermione forced him to look into her eyes however, "You mean the part about Dumbledore being your Great-Great-Great-Grandfather. I already figured that out, dear, remember I am the smartest witch of my age, I believe you said that yourself." She finished with a half smile, leaned in and kissed him softly, mindless of the audience. "Now as to when you should have told me..."She backed off and punched him in the arm lightly. With a quiet snort, she leaned against his shoulder once again. "I'm sure you have reasons, your family seems to have this odd propensity for secrets." Hermione stated, referring to more than one person in the room.

For his part, Dumbledore leaned back in his chair with a sigh of relief. I'm glad that I didn't manage to foul that up as well. The relieved thought crossed his consciousness.

After a moment Harry broke the silence once again, "Granddad, what about Dudley?" as a question popped to the front of his mind suddenly.

Dumbledore immediate figured out the partial question and answered honestly, "We don't know Harry. As you both know, down in the one of the dungeon rooms, Hogwarts has a magical quill that records the names of all magical children born in Great Britain, it used to record all of them in the world, a thousand years ago, but there's too many now. When he was born the quill recorded his name, just as it did the both of yours and mine for that matter. However, when Minerva and I first saw him, all those years ago, we couldn't detect a trace of magic, so we never sent him a letter. Besides, I do have some say in whom I accept in my school,"

Harry coughed something that sounded suspiciously like 'Crabbe', but Dumbledore studiously ignored him, though with a slight grin about the eyes, He shrugged, "Poppy examined him, he has the magical markers in his genes, but it's as if they haven't expressed themselves. As you know until the very first onset of puberty at eleven or so, it's very difficult to control or express magic, if not outright impossible, normally if a child is brought up by wizards, they will have some magical abilities by the time they receive their letter. Muggle raised magical children often don't show any abilities at all until eleven or so hence when you start school, or if they do, they are relatively minor expressions of involuntary magic. Of course, yourself and Hermione are noted exceptions."

"I sorta got locked in the tool shed by accident one afternoon and well, I blew it up." She muttered, embarrassed, to which he just kissed the crown of her hair in response.

Dumbledore went on, " Like I said previously, we do not know what is happening with Dudley, we even put Petunia's wand in his hand before I gave it back, it should have at least reacted, given that he is her son. Nothing."

***************************Riddle Mansion********************************

2pm

KNOCK, KNOCK, a small, greasy man with a silver hand knocked reticently on a heavy oaken door carved with a relief of a coiled serpent. The door was at the end of a long dark hallway, lit only occasionally with torches. There were many portraits on the wall, however all seemed dark. The man was holding a twelve-inch square box in his hands; there was a card in an envelope attached to the top lid of the box. The silver-handed man trembled slightly as he waited.

"ENTER" a flat hiss commanded.

"Master," the small man began, "This box was left at Malfoy Manor addressed to you."

With shaking hands, he extended the box to a man in dark robes, a slight red glow coming from the depths of the raised hood. Voldemort took the box, set it on a convenient table and pulled the card from the top.

Tom Riddle, hell

Snarling at this insult, he opened the card and read the inside:

Since you were so kind to send your lackeys to help us, we thought we should kindly return them.

Love and kisses,

Hermione Jane Granger, the Mudblood

Harry James Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived

Screaming in rage, Voldemort swept the box off the table to send it crashing to the floor. The box came open and the head of Antonin Dolohov rolled to a corner of the room. Eyes fully blazing, he found Wormtail, "CRUCIO".

*********************Hogwarts*******************************

A sudden pain burned though his scar, and Harry's hand flew up instinctively to cover it.

"Harry?"

"I think he just got our reply." Harry replied to his other half with grim satisfaction.




A/N; there you go. The road isn't easy. Next chapter, Draco meets Dudley and Dumbledore shares a dark reveleation.

Built by Text2Html

27. Malfoy vs. Dudley

A/N for those who have seen this story before, there is another scene at the end.

Chapter 27: Malfoy vs. Dudley

*******************#12 Grimmauld Place, London********************

January 30, 2006
5am

"Do you bloody well know what time it is?" Nymphadora Tonks asked with a huge yawn, as she and Remus Lupin arrived from the floo connection to Hogwarts. Remus didn't comment, he just looked annoyed, it was early, and Tonks along with himself, Harry and Hermione had been up until 1:30 working up a combined exercise for the underclassmen in DADA for today. They had been supposed to work on it during the day Sunday, but events had precluded that idea. He merely nodded at the others in the room, tiredly. Alastor Moody, Minerva McGonagall and Arthur Weasley had already been waiting in the parlor, Minerva and Arthur nursing cups of conjured coffee. No one else, not even Dobby or Winky were present in the house this early morning.

"What are we waiting for?" Remus asked, with a yawn.

"That would be me." Came a wry reply in a deep voice, as Dumbledore appeared, silently, behind Tonks.

"WOTCHER" Tonks snapped, as she jumped like a scalded cat. "Don't do that."

"I thought Aurors were supposed to be unflappable, Nymphadora." Dumbledore replied dryly. "I am sorry for the hour but it was chosen carefully. Both that, and the fact that only the six of us are, here are the important criteria."

"Albus?" Minerva asked the question all of them were wondering.

"The loss of the Grangers, and Percy, the attacks on the Burrow, Privet Drive, here and the attack on Diagon alley in January all have several things in common. First they all were either a direct assault on Harry or his loved ones." Looking at Arthur, "I am sorry Arthur."

"It's okay Albus, Harry is also a son of mine in heart if not blood. Any attack on him is an attack on me and mine. And Hermione is my daughter now in blood and law as well as in heart, this war is a blood feud now, even putting aside the attack on the Burrow, you know that. And we are not forgetting the Burrow." Arthur Weasley replied with a furor unusual to him.

"Yes, Arthur, there is no longer any other choice for any of us in this room. However that unfortunately leads us to my second point. The other common factor in all of those attacks is that only members of the Order knew of those activities or places. This is especially so in the case of the direct attacks on Harry or Hermione or their loved ones since this summer. I informed the Order to be ready when Harry and I took the trip to Diagon alley just in case we needed them. As Harry himself said, only members of the Order, the Weasley family and Draco Malfoy and his cronies knew that Hermione was now with him this summer. And finally, the Grangers, and Privet Drive, and this house, are all unplottable to those who had not already known their location. Someone in the Order had to give up their location, or in the case of the attack here arrange for the tracking charm on the Prophet. There are only twelve members I absolutely trust, well fifteen if I count the Longbottoms and Hagrid, the six of us here and the six that went in to rescue Sirius in the Ministry. Hagrid, of course, is above suspicion in this matter, however his particular talents will not be useful in this matter, and so I will not tell him, he has no need to know, I am afraid as of yet."

"What do you mean Albus?" Remus asked, slightly unbelievingly.

"Yes, outside of myself, you, Nymphadora, Minerva, Alastor, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Ron, Ginny, Hermione and of course Harry, any of the members are suspect. That is why we are here at this hour, for as much as it pains me, I do not wish to let Harry know yet that very possibly, someone he knows and trusts is at least partially responsible for the death of his uncle, Hermione's parents, Percy, and very possibly Sirius, and direct attacks on him, his friends and his loves. I lost James and Lily that way, I refuse to loose another generation of my family the same way."

Remus and Tonks were slightly shocked at that last statement, as they had not yet been let on the secret, but they said nothing. Everyone else already knew. Without another word, they all got up to return to Hogwarts, or in Arthur's case, the Burrow.

With a grin that showed his fangs, a sudden thought flashed across Remus' mind. "Albus before you leave, a happier thought, what's the pot up to on the pool, and when does everyone have?"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled for the first time in it seemed far too long. "I believe that it's two hundred galleons now, and I have the night before graduation. You?"

"The fourteen of next month" Remus replied, "and I already lost the other pool to you."

"The ides of March" Minerva replied.

"April Fools" said Moody with a toothy grin.

"What's this pool about?" Tonks asked confusedly. To which Remus leaned over and whispered the answer in her ear. "OHHH, I can I get in on it? I'll take May 23rd. "

After everyone else but Remus and Dumbledore had left, Remus put his hand on Dumbledore's shoulder, "Wait a second Albus."

"Yes Remus?"

"I know that Harry is of age, and that I never was really his guardian, but you are going to have to tell him, and very soon or I will, Albus, because first, he deserves to know, and second, you more than anyone else, know the price we've paid to try and keep secrets from him."

A great sigh, "Actually I will tell him this evening, I just wanted to let all of you know as soon as I figured it out. I know that it almost has to be an older Order member, not one of the student members. And in fact, I am sure that we have two problems, actually"

"Two problems?"

"The assault on the Granger's was no doubt facilitated by a rogue member of the Order, but if you think back the only Order members that actually saw Harry and Hermione together at the time that they first dropped their pretences were in this room tonight, as far as I know, none of the others knew yet that they were a couple. I'm sure that Tom had an assault on the Grangers planned as part of a generalized plan to hurt Harry, but the timing points to Draco's or one of his cohorts initiation of it."

"You mean?"

"Yes, Harry was right that night of August 31, and I am afraid that that matter will come to a head before the year is out. I had hoped of redeeming Draco, he could be a great force for light, but I am afraid that he may have fallen too far. Now I fear that he may push Harry or Hermione or one of the others too far on orders of his father or Riddle, and I am afraid that will be his last error." Dumbledore frowned and turned to leave once more, but stopped once again and looked back at Lupin. "Remus, I would like you and Nymphadora to go along with Harry and Hermione to Vernon's funeral tomorrow. I will arrange to have a few others present discretely, but I trust you two to keep them safe...you know the stakes. And as I just presented, I trust you two."

Remus nodded and sighed. "Of course, Albus."

*****************************Hogwarts***********************************

Great Hall
7:30 am

This was a very weird breakfast, if Harry didn't know better he would think he was in one of his nightmares. Outwardly the breakfast was normal, the trays were pilled high with eggs, bacon, toast, and all of the other usual breakfast items. The students were sitting at their respective house tables shoveling in food. The teachers were at their table, with Dumbledore at the center and the others sitting to either side, in more or less their usual places. Even Hermione was tucked in next to Harry eating some eggs, which was usually a sign that this wasn't a nightmare, as if it were, she would be gone. No the weird sights were two additions. First, sitting next to McGonagall was his Aunt Petunia, she wasn't talking much, occasionally asking for someone to pass something or other, but she was dressed in witches robes and amazingly they seemed to suit her for some reason.

The other odd addition was currently across the table from him, taking up space normally occupied by two separate Gryffindors. As no one had known what to do with Dudley, they stuck him in Gryffindor, Which is probably causing Godric to roll over in his grave right now. Harry's annoyed thought bittered his morning. Since Dudley was Harry's age they put him in with the 7th years that were one-person light anyway, as Harry was Head Boy.

Dudley had been reasonably quiet and well behaved, he had only tried to threaten Ron for snoring once; he was quickly reminded that the rules were much different from Privet Drive. Most especially after Harry was woken at three in the morning to go to the seventh year dorm to sort out the disturbance after, he and Hermione had just gotten to sleep an hour prior. Whether it was Harry's annoyed words, or the fact that the both the Head Boy and Head Girl's eyes were slightly glowing in the dim room was immaterial, the point that his size met nothing here, he would behave or else was amply communicated. Immediately after the duo left, Ron took pity on him, ambled over and explained to him some of the rules and several other things about Hogwarts, that Harry had not yet had the time to do.

Dudley was currently shoveling in food as fast as he could, still disbelieving that he could basically eat as much as he wanted. Ignoring his piggish cousin, Harry leaned over to Hermione, "Damn I'm tired. What time do we have the joint classes with Tonks and Remus?"

"One till three, it makes both of our classes a double, and the third though fifth years a triple since they already have an hour in the morning."

"And we already have double potions with our favorite professor." Harry replied sarcastically, "anyway, it wouldn't have been so bad if dufus over there," nodding towards Dudley, "had the brains to know that threatening a wizard over his snoring in the presence of three of his friends who are also wizards, is a bad idea."

"If you had slept in instead of dragging us out of bed to go work out it might have been ok." Hermione stated a little peevishly.

"I would have thought that the reason for that was obvious after..." Harry broke off after seeing her face go blank out of the corner of his eye. "Oh, God, Mione I'm sorry." He blurted out.

"It's okay Harry," Hermione murmured in response, Harry gave her a quick hug around the shoulder and quickly dropped his hand to hers under the table. He would have held her forever, but certain Professors tended to frown on that. McGonagall had seen, but did not comment, or even draw her lips tightly. She could pretty well guess what had just happened, and she would not say anything, in fact she would have probably put up with a great deal more. Hermione turned her head and thanked him with her eyes, but likewise was still.

"You ready Dudley?" Harry asked to which a grunt was returned, he had to escort Dudley back to the Gryffindor dorm and then still make Potions on time. "You go on ahead Hermione."

"No I'll go with you." She replied, after any time spent with Harry was good, even if his dammed cousin was there.

Leaving the Great Hall behind, Harry, Hermione and Dudley took off towards Gryffindor tower. Harry and Hermione were as usual holding hands, and even Dudley had the brains not to make a point about it. However others were not as smart.

An aristocratic drawl called out from behind them. "Potty, oh Potty." Harry and company kept walking; they did not have time for this. "Oh and I see your mudblood, is okay after your little adventure last Friday."

Harry!

I know he shouldn't have known about the attack on the Durselys , Dudley is here under a cover as an exchange student, and Aunt Petunia is said to be a visiting witch, an old friend of Dumbledore's.


"Oh I didn't know that they allowed such large pets here, what about that fat muggle you have there?" Malfoy continued, to the accompaniment of raucous laughter from Crabbe and Goyle.

Even Dudley somehow knew that he was being insulted; he turned and charged Malfoy. Draco who had been on the receiving end of several punches, kicks, etc in his time at Hogwarts, mostly from Harry, Ron or Hermione, for some reason did not register a threat, perhaps because after all Dudley didn't have a wand. However Dudley did have fists and his right one crashed on Draco's nose, breaking it in a splash of blood. Malfoy howled, pointed his wand "Petrificus Totalus" Dudley fell over frozen in mid stride.

Crabbe and Goyle should have had their wands out to cover Harry and Hermione, instead of gawking at their leader's bloody nose, but they quickly learned their mistake, with two bolts of red light, they fell to the ground unconscious. "You can't do that" yelled Malfoy, "Protego"

He was only slightly more successful than his cronies, his shield blocked Harry initial stunner, but Hermione's full body bind got through a second later. Walking over to the two paralyzed people on the ground, Harry waved his wand at Dudley, "Finite" and released him. Harry stood over Malfoy and shook his head, as he was looking down on him Hermione came up behind Harry.

"Malfoy, you moronic arse. Harry was right, are you just stupid or are you just insane?" She muttered to Malfoy and walked over to check on Crabbe and Goyle.

Dumbledore, McGonagall and a couple of other professors came running up at the commotion. Seeing the three incapacitated students and Dudley getting up off the floor he looked at his Heads and motioned them over to him and McGonagall, whose lips were thin as she glared at them, hands on her hips. "Harry?" Asking a question in a word.

"We were walking Dudley back to Gryffindor tower, when Malfoy and his partners in crime came out from behind us. Hermione and I ignored them, but Malfoy called Dudley a muggle pet or something and Dudley charged him. Draco, for some reason let Dudley get close enough to punch him, which he did." Harry stated motioning to the now unbound Malfoy. "Malfoy did Dudley with a full body bind. We stunned Crabbe and Goyle, and we dropped Draco with a double past his shield." Harry summarized. "I will let you probe me to verify if you want."

"That will be unnecessary, Harry, I will take this up with their head of house, speaking of whom, I believe that you have class with about now." Dumbledore scribbled a note on a scrap of parchment. "You two, finish escorting Dudley to Gryffindor Tower and give the note to Professor Snape, I have instructed him that I will review any detentions or loss of house points today, so you should be safe but don't dawdle." With that Dumbledore and McGonagall, walked over to the miscreants and stared balefully down.

Harry and Hermione quickly got Dudley to his feet and on his way to the tower. As they paused at the entry, Harry gave the password, "lionheart" and the portrait swung open silently. As they made to leave, Dudley turned to Harry.

"Harry", he began quietly, "thank you for saving me from those Dementors, after you left that summer, Mum came and explained that to me, but she never explained anything else, and I had to hide that she told me about them from Dad. What did that boy call me, I've heard you use the word, but it never really felt like an insult before."

Harry grimaced but answered. "Dudley, I, we..." at a nod from Hermione "do not have time to explain things to you right now, but I promise that we will this evening ok? If you need anything, just say the name Dobby and someone will show up to help you. Do not make fun of or tease, or anything to him, ok?"

"Uhhh...Ok."

Dudley entered the Gryffindor dorm, while Harry and Hermione hurried down eight floors to Potions. "You know Dobby will scare the shit out of him, the first time he pops in right?" Hermione muttered as they jogged to class.

"Yeah," Harry replied with a grin that she shared.

They entered Potions twenty minutes late, and handed the note to Snape before he could generate a snide comment. Seemingly ignoring the fact that his prize student, Malfoy, was absent, Snape just waved them to their seats, pointed at the board and sat back down. The potion today, as was the case everyday, anymore, was a complicated one, the Potion of Harmony, a potion that should allow an entire room who hated one another to get along for up to four hours. Due to their late start, both Hermione and Harry barely got their potions completed before the time allotted. Both of the potions seemed correct, they were the proper color and consistency. However Ron's, who had kept bothering them during the class trying to find out why they had been late, was smoking slightly and giving off occasional sparks, though it was the proper color at least.

Ron immediately pumped them for information as soon as they exited the dungeon, "Ok spill, I assume that even Dumbledore wouldn't give you a note just to get in some extra snogging time." That comment was immediately rewarded with a McGonagall-like glare from Hermione.

"No Ron," Harry said with a deep sigh, trying once again to head off a squabble, reflecting once again how his two best friends never seemed to fight when Luna was around to moderate Ron. "We were walking back to the tower with Dudley when Draco jumped us. I assume that you noticed that he wasn't in class?"

"No not really."

"Oh for the love of Merlin, Ron, never mind, Mione and I need to go talk to Hagrid about his creatures for today's joint class and you might as well come."

"Ahh no, I'm going to go study." Ron replied, hastily checking his watch and walking off.

"Off to go snog, more like it," Hermione muttered to Harry after Ron receded out of sight.

"If we had time, that's...." Harry hurriedly broke off a sentence for the second time today at her expression. "I'm sorry Hermione, what's wrong?"

"Honesty, it's not you, love, at breakfast, I was just tired, and then when Malfoy, you know." She rambled in response.

"Ok then," Harry leaned over and drew her shoulders into him. "Lets go see what creatures Hagrid has to inflict on our poor students today."

***********************Head Student's Common Room***********************

8pm

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna were setting on two couches that faced Dudley who was sitting in an overstuffed armchair to form the short leg of a triangle. Hedwig and Crookshanks were also present, with Hedwig perched on Hermione's shoulder opposite Harry, while Crookshanks was curled up in Harry's lap.

"Ok Dudley, I promised explanations and I'll give you what I know, if you have any questions, ask us, Ron and Luna are also here to help. I'll start off with your question from earlier, yes I'm sure that you have heard me use the term before, muggle is not an insult, it's just the term that Wizards use to describe non-magic using people. The boy who insulted you is Draco Malfoy, whom is somewhat of an enemy of mine. The funny part is that he was not technically correct when he called you a muggle."

"Uhh" from Dudley.

"See Dudley, technically you are or rather should be a wizard. Madame Pomfrey examined you when we brought you in and have the markers for being a wizard in your genes, but they don't seemed to have expressed themselves at puberty like they normally would. Like mine did or the others in the room did. Do you follow me so far?

"Uh...Sort of, but if I'm not what am I, I heard someone call Hermione there a mudblood, am I one of those?" Dudley responded quietly.

Harry started to speak, but Hermione just squeezed his hand to silence and she answered the question. "No Dudley, you are not, I am...technically, however that is an insult, a very grave insult and should never be repeated ok?" Dudley who was rapidly gaining a sense of survival here, just nodded in reply. "That term," she spat, "is used to describe persons like myself whose parents were both muggles. Certain people think that it is important that one be pure-blood like Ron and Luna here, though they don't think it is important at all." To which both Ron and Luna nodded vigorously. "Those people look down on people like myself and to a lesser extent to people like Harry and yourself, Harry is what they call a half-blood, with a muggle mother, though she was muggle born witch like me and a pure blood father. You are what they would probably call a quarter-blood, because your mother was a muggle born witch and your father was purely a muggle. Understand?"

"Yeah, I guess" from Dudley. "What about Mum, I mean if she was a witch..."

"Her reasons are hers Dudley, I know why she pretended to be a muggle, but I must have her give her reasons to you herself." Harry responded, with a small shrug.

"Why was my father killed by those wizards, and what was that strange green skull over the house?" At this question everyone except Dudley looked at each other, and mutely raised their eyebrows. Dudley hasn't been able to use any magic, but he could see it? He couldn't see the Dementors on Privet drive, could he?

"Dudley before I answer that, could you see the Dementors when they attacked us?" Harry asked hastily.

"No not at first then I could sorta see an outline for a second then nothing, I did see this deer though, I know because I saw one in a zoo once."

"Stag," Harry automatically corrected, then turned and caught Hermione's eyes. Help? Can muggles see a patronus? He says that he might have caught a glimpse of a Dementor, but even when he got real mad at Draco, he didn't exhibit any magic, and Petunia's wand did nothing for him at all, no sparks, no nothing.

I don't have a clue, if the wizard genes are there, they express themselves at puberty, and I can tell you from how he was looking at me that that had occurred. I saw Pomfrey's report to Dumbledore, and he's not a squib, the genetic markers are dominant in him not recessive so they should have expressed themselves normally. I've never read any occurrence were they didn't but no matter what Ron thinks I don't know everything...Yet
Hermione finished with an mental grin.

"Dudley that image of a skull, was the Death Mark, it's used by Lord Voldemort and his followers to mark a...kill, and only wizards can see it." Harry explained.

"But I saw it, and who is this Lord Voldemort bloke anyway." Dudley asked confused, as Ron flinched, just a hair.

"As we said earlier you have the markers to be a wizard, but so far you have expressed no magic. With what you have said being able to maybe see the Dementors and Prongs, and the Death Mark, maybe you are just a really late bloomer? I don't know, tomorrow please go back to Madame Pomfrey."

"That nice lady in the hospital? You know it was funny you had a bed named after you and Ron there and Hermione...."

WHAT? Hermione snapped with a thought strong enough to make Harry wince. Oops, sorry love.

That's ok, and no I didn't think it was funny either.
" Yes that...nice lady in the hospital and tell her what you've told us about being able to see things ok? As to your other question, Voldemort is an evil wizard who murdered my parents along with many others."

"How many?" Dudley asked because he didn't know any better.

"Too many" responded Hermione with a look that even Dudley could figure out meant to drop the subject. Harry could feel a slight tremor where she sat next to him, or maybe that was he?

"Ron if you don't mind if you could please take Dudley back to the main common room, Dudley If you have other questions I'll answer them later ok?" Ron just nodded and he and Luna quietly led Dudley away, down the staircase to the main common room.

"I'm sorry Hermione, I didn't think he would go there." Harry said thoughtfully.

"It's okay, I suppose he does deserve to know, anyway we have homework that we need to be doing anyway." Hermione finished with a pseudo McGonagall glare.

"Yes, ma'am." Harry chuckled as he ducked a pillow.

******************Harry and Hermione's Room*********************

January 31, 2006
3am

After finally finishing their homework and after a quick patrol aided by the Marauder's Map, Harry and Hermione had settled down to go to sleep. Fortunately, that was all they had contemplated, for after they had been asleep for a couple of hours, Harry snapped awake at a soft tread. Harry's eyes flashed open and after a second he slowly grabbed a wand from under the pillows, snapped it outward, only to have his wrist grabbed gently, but firmly. "What the...."

"Lumos" a soft light suddenly glowed, revealing Dumbledore's bearded face.

"Merlin." Hermione groaned as the commotion had also awoken her. Fortunately for her she had slept in sleep pants and a t-shirt so it wasn't too revealing for her Headmaster, who had just appeared in the room.

"Don't worry Hermione, I won't tell Minerva, though I'm sure she already knows. I've won that bet already." Dumbledore chuckled. He then turned slightly and pointed his wand at the door, and muttered an incantation, but instead of the quick white flash he was expecting, the area around the door flashed a deep red color for a second. With a cocked eyebrow, he gave an odd look to Hermione as he perched on the edge of the bed.

"Umm we didn't want to disturb anyone with our nightmares." She replied sheepishly.

"Bet?" Harry asked to get Dumbledore off the scent.

"Ummm, never mind," Dumbledore, muttered seeing Harry and Hermione's wondering faces in the wandlight. "Unfortunately I had to take this step, because of promises that I made to you Harry, and the fact that you also deserve to know Hermione."

"What?" The two asked together.

"I went back and examined the various attacks against you and yours, and when I did one thing was obvious, Tom had help. In each case someone either had to provide him the location, or in the case of Grimmauld place slip a tracking charmed item inside." Dumbledore said grimly.

"There's a traitor in the Order?" Hermione whispered as Harry wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"Yes, Hermione, I'm afraid so. It's the same way we lost Lily and James." Dumbledore replied in a tone that amply communicated his age.

"Pettigrew is on the run with Voldemort." She countered with a sliver of hope.

"A new one I am afraid." Dumbledore replied sadly, "I'm sorry to have to share this news with you two in this fashion, but it was the safest way, at this moment the only members of the Order that I am sure are not either out right traitors or under the influence of the Imperious Curse are yourself, and Harry..."

"Why do you trust that I'm not under the curse, I'm not but..." Hermione replied with a mix of fear and curiosity.

"Well dear girl" Dumbledore replied with a small smile for her, "Voldemort himself couldn't possess Harry, and with the two of you in there together...As I was saying, in addition to you two and myself; Remus, Nymphadora, Alastor, and Arthur are above reproach along with Ginny, Ron, Neville and Luna. The reason is simple; all of those named have had someone they care deeply for taken from them by Voldemort and his fiends. We have too much motivation to defeat Riddle for a curse to hold for long. I assume that the rest of the Weasleys are also above reproach, however they have not yet been informed. I would like for you to find a way to quietly pass this message to your friends, perhaps at the Weasleys' franchise in Hogsmeade, if you can get them to close it early on a Hogsmeade Weekend."

"When is it?" Harry asked his memory wasn't too together in the morning.

"Well I believe that it's the weekend of the Valentine's ball." Hermione replied. "You never did have much luck on that weekend."

"No shit dear." Harry muttered, with more than a touch of sarcasm. Hermione gave a tiny laugh, inappropriate to the topic, as she kissed the side of his head. Harry replied to Dumbledore finally in a normal tone, "I guess that's the plan, I'll send Hedwig with a note to Fred and George, to have a "private" showing of their wares to their major investors that weekend, and have Bill and Charlie show up."

"I had always wondered where they got their start up funding, Harry" Dumbledore replied with a grin. He got up to leave. "Oh by the way, very good job with the silencing charm, even I wasn't able to detect it in operation until I tried to cast another, I dare say that if that had been performed in a class of mine I would have to award points...Harry, did I ever tell you that your Great-Great-Great-Grandmother was also Head Girl at Hogwarts." With a wink, Dumbledore disappeared without a sound.

As soon as Dumbledore was gone, Harry's head crashed back on the pillows, "Busted"

***************************Little Whinging, Surrey*************************

January 31, 2006
3:00pm

A cold wind blew over the faded grass of the cemetery. A minister stood at the head of a dark, oak coffin. A wreath of flowers lay on top of it, with a picture of Vernon in his Sunday best centered in the horseshoe. Vernon's true popularity had shown through in death, not many had shown up to the funeral, no one from work, or any supposed friends. Of his neighbors on Privet Drive, only Arabella Figg had shown, though it was an open question whether she was there as a member of the Order or as an actual mourner. Aunt Petunia was dry eyed, now, as she stood in the front row, dwarfed by the huge presences of Dudley on one side and Aunt Marge on the other.

Across from that Trio, Harry and Hermione stood quietly. Both were dressed as muggles, of course, Harry in a somber, black suit that had seen too much use this year, Hermione in a black dress. Despite his feelings towards Vernon, he had been family of a sort and Harry and her had come with Petunia and Dudley to the funeral. Next to them, Lupin and Tonks stood, both dressed similarly to the Heirs. Tonks and Lupin had been chosen as they were the most suitable for bending in with a crowd of muggles, and as Harry and Hermione's not so secret bodyguards, even though they really didn't need them. The minister nodded to them as he started in with his service, he was actually a wizard that Dumbledore knew, whom he had arranged to lead the service as a favor to Petunia.

Aunt Marge had spent almost the entire service alternately gazing at the picture of her brother and glaring over at Harry and Hermione. Her retainer, Colonel Fubster stood at ease behind her. But besides those few people, the cemetery was empty of any other visible individuals. Harry could sense at least four other wizards spread around the graveyard, his animagus abilities discerning their breathing, or catching their scents, which were not disguised by the invisibility cloaks they wore. With a slight pang of annoyance, he knew that they were Lupin and Tonks' backup, there to get him and Hermione away safe at all costs, if this funeral was part of some long convoluted scheme of Voldemort's to kill them.

Finally the Minister finished and shared a quiet word with Petunia. Harry sighed as he turned around to talk to Tonks and Lupin, Hermione clutching his hand tightly as yet another was put to rest in this endless war. Lupin nodded as he briefly placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and walked away, Tonks' hand clinging to his arm. I'm sorry Mione; you could have stayed at Hogwarts. Harry said in his thoughts, as his eyes met hers.

A ghost of a smile flitted across her face as she returned the gaze, it's ok Harry, but lets get out of here soon. Harry nodded absently, his eyes flicked over to Petunia, still standing over the coffin and she nodded slightly in return. Both of them were absorbed in their own world, both only subconsciously scanning for danger. It was because of that, that the heavy footsteps behind Harry were unnoticed until with a sudden jerk, a large, florid hand fell on Harry's shoulder and spun him forcefully around.

Around him, Harry could see or feel at least five hands start to dive for hidden wands or other weapons, with a small, hidden gesture he signaled that he was ok and he felt the relaxation of his friends and guardians. With a small, tiny sigh Harry looked into a pair of small, piggish eyes. Aunt Marge was standing, a dark look on her puce face and the wisp of a mustache quivering in anger. "Hello Marge" Harry said evenly, calmly, tiredly.

"What the hell are you doing here, you ungrateful little bastard?" Marge growled like one of her prized bulldogs. Behind her Fubster stood, the short, stocky, former officer stood at a pose almost like attention. "Come to gloat now that my brother is dead. Glad that he's just like your worthless parents?"

"No," Harry replied softly. Behind him, Lupin was carefully brushing a piece of invisible lint from the front of his suit, looking down so as not to look at the horrid person that had just insulted his best friends and by extension their son. Next to Harry, Hermione was not so outwardly calm, He bit back a wince as her fingers tightened on his, but she didn't utter a sound.

"What do you mean no...boy, No that he's not like your worthless good for nothing father, or you bitch of a mother..."

"Shut up Marge." Harry interrupted quietly, dangerously. Marge was even more of a Muggle than even Vernon had been, the tiny hairs on the back of her neck didn't even flicker as a bare trickle of power started to flow, only to be ruthlessly dampened by Harry himself. Behind Marge, Mrs. Figg had looked over at the brewing confrontation, and had led Petunia and Dudley towards several dark sedans that were parked at the curb. A certain white owl settled in the braches of a tree above and behind Harry. Hedwig looked down on the rotund Muggle with a pitying expression, clearing wondering when her person or his mate would squash the little bug.

"I'll have you know, boy, you dare to show up here, and bring your whore with you..."Marge's voice suddenly failed her. Her mouth opened and closed, but no sound escaped. Harry had never touched a wand, his were still concealed beneath his suit jacket and Hermione's were currently strapped on her thighs under the skirt of her dress, but the effect was the same.

"Marge" Harry muttered, glancing around. Unknown to her or her companion, she and Fubster were the only two actual muggles here, but Harry was more or less blind to the irony. "You have no idea whom you are talking to, I will have you keep a civil tongue when you are talking to others, or you will not like the consequences." Harry absently flicked his fingers and the spell was lifted.

Marge glared at Harry, "I will speak my mind..."

"Then, I am afraid that our words are at an end." Harry replied and spun to leave, but as he did Marge once again reached out and grabbed for him, but missing his shoulder, grabbed Hermione's bicep, hard. If Marge had any clue, she would have surely dropped the matter there, as the hard muscle underneath the dress should have warned her that this girl wasn't as she appeared. And if that hadn't worked, the instinctive move that caused Hermione to spin away from her and Harry, and the reflexive strike that was halted before it was more than a muscle quiver should have shut her up. But despite all her glowering, she like her brother had only ever been a bully, a jackal, she had never found out just what happened when the lions strode out onto the plain.

"Ma'am..." Hermione hissed, softly, "where I grew up, one does not place their hands on others without permission." Hermione flowed forward, and Marge involuntarily took a step back from the witch who maybe weighed a third what she did.

"You are just like Petunia's sister, she was an uppity little bitch too..." Marge snarled, but to her surprise Hermione let out a soft laugh.

Hermione looked over at Harry, and slowly and deliberately walked over to him and kissed him softly. Marge's face was suddenly fuchsia as Hermione turned back to her. Though it was probably a trick of the late afternoon sun, the girl's cinnamon eyes suddenly looked as if they were filled with a soft, blue glow. "Thank you Marge." Hermione replied, lowly, "I don't know if you could have come up with a better compliment." Hand in hand with Harry, Hermione led them towards the cars and home.





A/N There you go. Sorry its been a bit, but I've been out of town. And as to that, I thought up that last scene while on the road listening to POA on CD. I hope you like it, it originally wasn't in the chapter. Next Chapter, Harry and Hermione let the rest of the inner circle in on Dumbledore's suspicions and Hermione drags Harry to the ball...okay he goes willingly.





Built by Text2Html

28. Valentine's Revelations

Chapter 28: Valentine's Revelations.
*************************Hogwarts**************************
February 11, 2006

The weeks since Dumbledore had woke Harry and Hermione with unwelcome news had passed relatively quickly. Dumbledore had kept his promise of not informing McGonagall that their two head students were sleeping in the same bed, but Harry was privately convinced that Minerva already knew and either didn't care or as Harry suspected, was actively supporting it. That very night, Harry had sent Hedwig to the Weasley twins and they had agreed to close their new shop in Hogsmeade two hours early, based only on his request., a fact that made Harry slightly nervous in its implications. NEWTs were getting progressively closer, but unlike 5th year with his OWLs he was actively studying, so he was actually averaging an E or O in all of his classes. Of course living with Hermione instead of Ron probably helped a great deal in this regard, he admitted with no small touch of grace.

Aunt Petunia had pretty well kept to herself, Minerva was trying to get her trained to at least some sort of OWL standard, so she could at least function in wizard society as an adult. She was actually pretty decent, considering she hadn't touched a wand in almost twenty years. Dudley was another story however, he still had not expressed any magical abilities, and a couple of specialists from St. Mungo's had come in, looked him over, then left muttering something about a new publication.

Since Valentine's Day actually fell on a Tuesday, the staff at Hogwarts had decided to have the Valentine's Day Hogsmeade trip and the ball that evening on the weekend before. The six that went to the Ministry were waiting for the carriages to take them to Hogsmeade. In the distance, the snorts of the thestrals, objecting to being harnessed, echoed over the grounds.

"Can't we just walk or something, I hate those damn horses." Ginny said a little too loudly, to which a couple of 3rd year Hufflepuff girls walking by just gave her a look like she was insane.

"Now you know what its' like to have everyone think your insane Gin." Harry said with a grin, obviously referring to the reactions of the girls who had never and hopefully would never have to see the thestrals.

"I never thought you were insane, at least about that." Hermione put in with a smile, although she like everyone else here wished that she had never seen the ghostly horses either.

The carriages pulled up and the sextet grabbed a coach. The coaches were really meant for four instead of six, so Hermione and Luna sat on their respective boyfriend's laps so no one would have to sit on the floor. As they stepped out at Hogsmeade, "Anyway, everyone knows that you need to be at Fred and George's shop by two right?" Harry asked everyone.

"Yeah" came the slightly annoyed shout from everyone else except Hermione.

"Ok, We'll meet up at the Three Broomsticks then for lunch at one, then we will all go to Weasleys Whizzes, I believe that we all have some other stuff to do before." Harry told the group.

Harry received a general consent from the other two couples, however Ron just couldn't help a parting shot. "Um, Harry, Hermione, do you know if we need reservations at the Shrieking Shack?"

Harry glanced down, biting his lip, but Hermione replied sweetly, "Ronald dear, one word."

"What's that?"

"Cloakroom"

With that one word, Ron shut up and led Luna away; he always hated it when Hermione came out on top in a discussion, which she usually did. Ginny and Neville having already heard the story and having been there in the library with them when Dumbledore handed Ron his "misplaced" prefects badge, they just laughed and headed off. The sight the dissimilar pair represented was somewhat funny if one didn't notice how much they cared for each other. For unlike her brothers, Ginny was a small, or more accurately tiny, girl and easily fit under Neville's shoulder as they walked away.

"They're kind of cute together" Harry mused.

"Sure are," Hermione, agreed, "Where to?"

"Well I need a new set of seeker's gloves, my old set are coming apart. So I need to stop by the Quiddich supply shop, and I'm out of quills, Crookshanks keeps playing with them and hiding them from me, and I need owl treats for Hedwig. You?"

"My cat took all mine before he took yours, that's why I had to borrow one yesterday, so lets get a bunch, I guess I could get him a new toy so he would leave our quills alone, that's about it. And I guess I would like to go to the bookstore."

"I hadn't guessed that one. Ok let's go, it's getting cold."

After completing their shopping, it was slow because of occasional "snogging breaks"; Harry and Hermione showed up at the Two Broomsticks to find their friends already sitting down at their usual table in the back. The couple wound their way though the crowded bar to the table and sat down, picking up menus from the table in front of them. All six of them ordered, and settled down to eat as a bargirl brought their selections.

"Ok Harry," Ron began, his mouth full of food, "what are we going to Fred and George's place for, I mean we were going to go there anyway..." his mouth still full of food.

"Ron that's disgusting, you know that right? Luna are you really sure about him?" Harry asked with a quizzical expression.

To which Harry received a dreamy, "Oh yes." Luna gazed over a Ron, a slightly glassy look in her eyes.

Great, Ron and Luna are in fine form today "Ron you'll find out when we get there and speaking of which, we need to get going." Harry pulled some coins out of his pocket and laid them on the table, somehow he was paying again, though he vowed to himself someone else would next time, it was the principle of it more than the actual cost. "Let's go" and the six worked their way out of the tight quarters and out onto the street.

*****************Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, Hogsmeade***************

2pm.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville arrived at the Weasley twins' shop in Hogsmeade. Their original shop in Diagon Alley had been a smashing success, after they were forced from Hogwarts. So much so that not only were they able to pay someone to run it for them while they were finishing up their NEWTS at Hogwarts the next year in a Umbridge-free School, but they were able to give handsome returns on the investments donated by their brothers and other benefactors. So much so that the ring that Luna was wearing was from the return on investment that Ron had given them, along with cash returns to Harry, and a couple of others including Hermione, though she had never admitted it to Harry.

"HEY HARRY." George cried out as the group came in. He finished with a couple of 3rd year Hufflepuffs that were in the store, and as they left, he flicked his wand at the window sign switching it from OPEN to CLOSED. The shop was much like the original in Diagon Alley, filled with displays of their trademark WhizBang fireworks and Weasley's Whizzes, Vanishing Hats, and various other contraptions, gadgets and connivances to play jokes, get out of class or just have fun. A large glass case held a selection of joke wands with a sign that read "NOW WITH RUBBER CHICKENS". On top of the case was their newest invention; A Wizard Chess set that attacked the people playing it instead of the other pieces. Harry saw it and made a mental note to see if they could make him up one that only attacked Ron, so at least the games would be fair.
"A' right you can come out now" George hollered into the back after which Charlie, Bill and Fred came out into the front.

"OI" yelled Ron, "what are you guys doing here?"

Before they could answer Harry interrupted, "One second Ron, Hermione."

Hermione raised her wand and incanted, "Imperviata" a white flash briefly lit the walls of the shop, she nodded to Harry and he went on.

"Ok guys, I'm sorry to interfere with your day but this is Order business." Harry said flatly and the slight chatter in the room died immediately. "What I'm going to tell you is not to be repeated or discussed with anyone other than those in the room right now and those I will mention okay?" To which, he got nods, so he went for it. "It seems that we have a traitor in the Order of the Phoenix." Harry received shocked looks and a couple of gasps at that announcement, but no Molly-like screaming, which he had been half afraid of.

"How did you find out, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Dumbledore had a meeting with the others I'll mention in a second and apparated into our room at three in the morning to let us know what he had found. He thought that it would be more secure for Mione and I to find a way to relate it to you. You four" He nodded to the older Weasley brothers, "were not on the original cleared list, however Dumbledore thought that you deserved to know."

Once again, no one really spoke, though Hermione could tell that Ginny's ears had picked up on Harry's slip of "our room" and she gave her a look to drop it, though she knew she'd have to answer later to her "sis". Harry continued, "Dumbledore went back and looked at everything that has occurred since August and some events before. In every case, I'm sorry to say they were an attack on me or those I consider my family." Harry said softly though he met their eyes evenly.

"Its okay mate, Voldemort was the one who declared the war on our family, you and Hermione included, not you." Said Ron determinedly, to which all the Weasleys nodded solemnly.

Hermione grabbed his hand and Harry turned and gave her a small smile and then went on." Thanks Ron, everyone that means more than I can say, by the way I was including you Neville," to which comment he just received a wave. "Anyway, besides those in this room, the only members that Dumbledore stated that he expressly trusted were himself, Remus, Tonks, Alastor, Minerva and your father, he didn't mention your mum, but I suspect that he trusts her as well. The common link is all of those mentioned have lost person or persons who were dear to them to Voldemort."

"What about the attack on the Dursleys." Ron blurted out.

Luna immediately elbowed him in the ribs sharply, "Ronald!" she hissed with a perturbed air.


Taking a deep breath Harry responded and squeezed Hermione's hand tightly, "It's okay Luna; we think the attack on the Dursleys was quite honestly a cock-up on Riddle's part. As I consider you all family, far more than the Durselys ever were. I'll let all of you know as much as Hermione and I know. From some of the second wave that we took alive, we found out that Lucius and Bellatrix's target was actually Aunt Petunia, and maybe Dudley. My blood protection against Voldemort, at least the protection granted by my..." Hermione dropped his hand and grabbed his waist in a hug. Thus reinforced he went on. "My mother came through her bloodline which meant that he couldn't attack me directly."

"But if she's living at Hogwarts now wouldn't the protection transfer?" Asked Ginny.

Hermione responded grimly, "Normally it would, however it seems that the protection is weakening anyway as Harry gets older. At one time not only Voldemort himself, but the Death Eaters as well would not have been able to attack the Dursleys house, but that obviously is not the case anymore. And for the protection to work to begin with, Petunia would have to consider Hogwarts her home, I doubt she ever will."

"It wasn't expected that the protection would last after I reached adulthood anyway, so it was not unexpected. As it is it looks as if Lucius and Bellatrix," An almost hungry look from Neville, "were there looking specifically for Petunia, who just happened to have not been there when they got there. According to our prisoners, their spy had told them that she was there right before Lucius and Bellatrix struck, so she lucked out by minutes. We think also that the deaths of the Dursleys may have been secondary, a means of drawing me and others out past the protections of Hogwarts...The stupid thing is the operation was almost a total failure from Riddle's perspective, all it got him was the loss of ten death eaters, either dead or in Azkaban vs. the death of one Muggle." Harry replied somewhat bitterly.

"Forgive me mate, but you are awfully cavalier about the death of your uncle." Neville said slightly nervously; he had seen Harry's temper.

"Neville, it's ok" Harry reassured him, "While I did not wish him dead, Hermione knows, and probably Ron also if he lets himself, the things that man did. Honestly if I hadn't had to have learned self control, I probably would have killed him in response to one of his actions."

That last comment was a bombshell for most of those in the room, for what it didn't say was as important as what it did. Hermione however, just looked grim, she knew all of his demons as well as he knew hers. The rest looked slightly angry, though they knew the account was settled now forever, even if it took an enemy to do it. "Ok now that I've depressed everyone quite enough, any questions, yes George?"

"Harry, mate, what are we to do with this?"

"Dumbledore did not give us any instructions beyond to notify you. However, I would feel it wise if you kept your own council or the council of those we know to be trustworthy until we catch this traitor. Honestly, I expect us to be involved in that, as Dumbledore doesn't have a great deal of choice in the matter."

"Ok Guys," Ginny said with a smile, though it was a little forced. "I think that we need to get back, we do have a ball to go to this evening."

*************Gryffindor Common Room**************************

8pm

Ron, Harry and Neville were waiting on their dates. The boys had already been ready for at least a half hour. Knowing their dates, they were carefully standing so as to not wrinkle their dress robes and were carefully not discussing the majority of today's revelations from Hogsmeade. However one topic did seem to be fair game, "So Harry...our room?" Ron asked with a grin.

"Ron, you do know that I can easily blast you though that wall and that my girlfriend probably knows more jinxes than anyone else in this castle including Dumbledore right?" Harry replied with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah mate, but when has that stopped me?" Ron replied mischievously.

Harry was saved a response by the arrival of Luna down from the Girls Dorm; she was wearing a red dress tonight that was close to the color of Ron's hair though a little darker. "What are you boys discussing? Flobberworms in the meal?" Luna replied, as she gave Ron a little kiss, as was often the case wandering off on a weird tangent.

Ron however, was used to this and he found it cute. "No dear, Harry and Hermione's living arrangements" He replied to Luna, who giggled while receiving a glare promicing a slow death from Harry. Further comment was short stalled by Ginny's arrival in a green dress that suited her well, judging by Neville's response.

"Where's Hermione?" Ginny asked.

Harry just shrugged, "Not down yet, you four go on ahead." The other four waved and left by the portrait.

They gone?

Yeah Hermione, what's wrong, you didn't turn yourself into a cat again did you?
Harry shot back with a grin.

Funny Potter, No I just wanted you to see first.

With that Hermione descended the stairs from the Head's common room and Harry's heart leapt into his throat. Unlike the infamous Yule Ball dress this one was black, and held up with two thin straps. It was slit on one side almost up to her hip and came down low in the back. She had straightened her hair for this evening and wrapped it up in a knot, which somewhat incongruously, she had stuck his mothers wand though to hold. A few wisps escaped the knot, framing her face. The only visible jewelry she wore, were the earrings that he had gotten her for Christmas and the locket of the two of them that he had given her for her birthday.

"Adequate, Mr. Potter?" She asked with a smile.

"Adequate, Mrs.... Miss Granger"

"Little slip there Harry?" OHH my God, did he almost say what I thought he said, well hopefully someday if we all survive this.

"You look...amazing" Harry pulled her in and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and offered her his arm, "Shall we go?"

"Lets"

************************Hogwarts, Great Hall************************

Harry and Hermione finally arrived at the ball to find it already going full blast. The hall was decorated tastefully for the holiday, without any of the inane gaudiness of the Lockhart Valentine's fiasco. The great tables had been removed, and replaced with small round tables at one end of the hall and a buffet along one wall leaving a generous area to dance. The ceiling of the hall was filled with stars and a bright full moon, though it was only a crescent outside. A mix of muggle and wizarding music blasted out, but due to the fact that so many famous Muggle musicians were actually wizards, it was hard to tell what was what.

Almost if on cue, as they walked into the hall a slow ballad came up, to which they had to dance. Hermione flowed into his arms like water, almost like she had had a thousand years practice. If it had been them watching anyone else, it would have been funny how both of them refused to look anywhere but each other's eyes.

Harry?

Yes?

What did you guys talk about while you were waiting? Sorry about that by the way.

Don't worry about it; the result was worth it
To which Harry received a kiss. Umm, you probably don't want to know about it.

Let me guess about your slip up about "Our Room?" You have made a couple today.
She replied with a blinding smile.

Yeah, I guess I did, though I'm sorry I gave Ron more fodder for the mill.

Don't worry Ron's under control. Honestly, I meant it when I said that McGonagall could kiss my arse, I need you.

Me too. Mione, I love you.

I love you too.


Their silent conversion lasted until the song was over, and then arm in arm, Harry and Hermione wandered over to a table where Ron and Luna were sitting.

"Nice dress, Hermione" Luna said then the two huddled together leaving Ron and Harry to talk and grab a bite to eat from the Buffet. Harry grabbed a plate, automatically filling it with food for him and Hermione.

"Ok Harry spill." Ron repeated once again with a full mouth, "when?" Ron eyes twinkled as he piled food on a plate.

Harry sighed; he had known this was coming. "After Christmas" He replied softly, expecting some teasing at least, if not some prank triggered by his words.

He was surprised however, "Good, about time." Ron responded with a grin and popped a couple of strawberries in his mouth.

"Thanks, I'm...I was expecting a little more harassment, not that I'm not grateful..." Harry replied to his friend, a touch of gratitude in his voice as well as his words.

"Its not like I didn't have first hand knowledge that you two were um...anyway I know if Luna and I had adjoining rooms I be with her every night in a heartbeat. Plus I could get away from your cousin." Ron finished with a laugh.

The rest of the ball passed quickly, possibly too much so, for once unmarked by any duels, fights, insults on ones parentage, or other minor annoyances. Of course this could have been due to the fact that Harry had given Malfoy the prefect's duty for the night, making him have to work this evening.




Built by Text2Html

29. Dreams of Despair

Chapter 29, Dreams of Despair
***********************Library Hogwarts************************

February 15th 2006
10pm

Hermione had her head down in a book. That in and of itself was not too unusual for the brilliant Head Girl of Hogwarts, while her boyfriend and various other duties and responsibilities may cut into her time, like NEWTs, teaching DADA classes, Quiddich, Head Girl duties, and getting ready for that pesky apocalyptic battle with the most evil wizard in the last 1000 years, she still found time to just read for the sake of reading. Since Harry and her were now Head Boy and Girl they had unrestricted access to the restricted section of the library. Which was good, as it was rumored that Hermione had read the rest of the library already.

Not quite She thought to herself, but I'm working on it. Walking down the stacks, running her fingers over the old dusty tomes, she spotted an interesting book, Combat Magic, use of Unforgivables, Lethal Spells, and Familiars in Both Wanded and Unwanded Magic. Opening the book to the table of contents, she noticed a section on flame spells. Turning to the pages indicated, Hermione witnessed a moving illustration that sent a brief chill down her spine. The spell shown was the flame wand, a spell with the verbal incantation of 'Flamous" that projected a wave of purple flame. The spell was often lethal to weaker wizards and caused burns and usually nerve damage to the target. This was the spell that Dolohov used on her that night at the Ministry, that had he known, it had almost won the Death Eaters the day and the war. That had defeated her for the night and had almost defeated Harry by driving him to panic.

With a sigh she drove that tired thought from her mind. The wizard and witch that had fought that night were long gone, the two that remained were much more powerful and much more hardened to the war, a fact, which caused a single tear to fall from her eye. Dolohov had in the end paid for that transgression, with the only coin he could, his life.

Hermione wiped the tear away quickly and tuned to another chapter, one on Familiars and their historical and present usages in battle. She read this more eagerly as it was far more interesting, and much less depressing, than the previous article. There was an illustration on the first page of the chapter of an owl that looked much like Hedwig, riding the shoulder of what appeared to be a cat the size of a full grown tiger. She read:

The use of familiars in combat is an ancient tactic predating the formalized usage of magic. In modern practice, however, the Familiar is often seen as just a pet or perhaps a convent animal to practice transfiguration. The main exception to this practice are the Owls that are often used to carry messages in the wizarding world and so often have this double role. To use the familiar in combat the familiar has to be of particularly high intelligence and has to have bonded to the wizard or witch to whom he or she is owned by very strongly. It is also often common for these familiars to bond strongly to the wizard or witch's mate, obeying or defending him or her as if it were their primary bonded partner.

Okay that's cool, but how would you use Crookshanks or Hedwig in combat, not that I'd want to? She read on, now increasingly interested.

In Historical times, often large familiars such as winged horses, great cats, and very large magical birds were common, however these have fallen out of favor in modern times.

Of the familiars commonly associated with wizards in the modern era, avian forms such as large owls, phoenixes and other birds of prey have been used in recent times to blind, distract or disarm opponents. See examples, Merlin and Samantha (Owl, Great) and Dumbledore, Albus and Fawkes (Phoenix, Fire).

That's right, Fawkes did attack the basilisk to blind it so Harry could fight it. And we know that his song is at least distracting to Riddle, he fears it. Hermione remembered with sudden insight.

Of the other types of familiars most commonly found in modern wizardry, the cat or its related cousin the kneazle are most often found. It should be noted that the kneazle and cat are perfectly capable of interbreeding and usually produce offspring of large relative size and higher intelligence than normal for these already very intelligent breeds.

No shit, really. She thought sarcastically.

The cat familiar can be used in direct combat against foes, as unless altered the claws and fangs can be dangerous. However the cat familiar becomes truly dangerous with the use of a combat transfiguration. This transfiguration usually takes the form of increasing the cat's size to that of a great cat such as a lion or leopard, which converts the attack of the familiar from annoying to, dangerous to outright lethal. The basic temperament of the familiar is unchanged however; the familiar will still obey its bonded partner, making it perfectly safe for the wizard's friends and allies to remain in close proximity. The incantation for this transfiguration is beyond the scope of this tome, and in any case has not been documented for the last 1000 years. It should also be noted that the few historical accounts of this transfiguration are of it being advanced wandless magic, which may explain it's extreme infrequency.

Hermione would have liked to keep reading but she was tired. Looking up, she noticed an occasional flash of lighting out of the window, and the night was dark as pitch, it would start storming soon. Her and Harry's nocturnal activities last night in celebration of Valentine's Day had drained her when added on top of everything else. Not that I'm complaining She thought to herself, a Cheshire grin decorating her lips. She checked out the book, threw it in her bag and headed for Gryffindor country. Harry should be back by now, he had gone with Ron and Remus to try and work on Ron's blocking skills, he was still vulnerable to 2nd and 3rd follow up shots, he tended to drop his shield too fast. At least I can lie in Harry's arms to ride out the storm, Hermione reflected as she picked up her pace to the tower, and home.

********************Head's Common Room, Gryffindor Tower*****************

11pm

Harry had just gotten back from trying to help Ron with his Protego spell charm work. After an hour of Harry and Remus trading off casting curses and quick follow-ups to Ron's shield, Harry finally figured out what was wrong. Ron was flinching, It wasn't that Ron was afraid, but when a spell would hit the shield hard enough it would cause Ron's hand to involuntarily relax on his wand for a second, and his shield would stutter as he lost concentration. They finally more or less cured him by having Harry pound his shield with stunner after stunner until he stopped doing it, though they did have to enervate him several times.

Harry waved off a chess game with Ron, he was tired and losing was boring anyway. As he walked away, Ron just nodded and conned a 5th year, Tom Wilkes, into playing, Tom shambled over to the already moving chessboard with an already defeated expression. Harry climbed the stairs to his common room, plopped down on the couch in front of the fire, grabbed a book on transfiguration that Hermione had left on the couch and started reading it, or at least looking at the pictures.

Sensing a warm presence, Crookshanks came in from Harry's room, where he had probably been getting fur all over Harry's robes and plopped down in his lap with a loud purr. Harry absently petted the huge ginger cat, after a few minutes, he marked his place in the book and laid the heavy tome back down. With a melancholy expression, Harry stared into the fire and remembered a similar fire, two years ago, but there was no friendly face in this fire, this night.

Shaking off the bleak thought, he mentally searched for Hermione, wondering if she was done in the Library and coming back, or if she had fallen asleep again over a book and he would have to go get her. Though she is really cute when she does. He had briefly felt a spike of fear from her, but before he could run to her, he felt her calm down, it must have been a passing thought, and it wasn't as if they both still didn't have those flashes every day. As he was musing of her, his eyes drooped and he fell to sleep on the couch.

***********************Riddle Mansion******************************

A tall, blond-haired man walked into a room of stone. The room was roughly hewn, and lit sporadically with torches. Shallow puddles of water were present along with some stains that were perhaps not too good to think about for long, while the walls were covered in mold. The room stunk of decay and...death, it was obvious that this room was carved of the rock and it had been, sitting below the basements of the old manor house. Beside him another tall man walked, this one however had a hood pulled forward to hide his face, and a slight red glow was visible from under the hood. He spoke, in a cold, cold voice, "Is everything ready Lucius?"

"Aye my Lord, this should allow you enough power to smash though whatever barrier that fool Dumbledore has put around Potter's mind. Our spy reports that Potter has been trained in Occlumency, but he will not be able to withstand this." The elder Malfoy replied, with a grim, little smirk.

"Good...with Potter's mind destroyed, they will fall." Voldemort stepped into the center of a painted circle, around it six anonymous, masked, Death Eaters stood haphazardly. Beyond that ring of six, Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius and Severus Snape stood, Severus stood a little behind the other two and he looked...nervous. No one noticed however, Voldemort raised his wand and streams of odd-dark-glowing mist came streaming from the surrounding circle of Death Eaters. "Potter..."

********************Head's Common Room, Gryffindor Tower*****************

Harry's peaceful dream suddenly turned dark. He had been remembering feeding Buckbeak for some reason, but now he was back in the Privet Drive of old, the too-clean, too-white muggle residence, He looked down, he was small, probably only eight or so and he was scared. "Harry..." He turned at the hissing sound, to see a man standing there, darkly robed and glowing oddly.

"V-v-v-oldemort, the eight year old Harry stammered, reaching for a wand that was not there. Voldemort strode up to him and casually backhanded him, knocking him flying across the room to smash into the china cabinet.

"So, Potter this is what you fear most, humm were the muggles truly that awful... I assure you that I am far worse," He laughed evilly, and with a casual flick of his wand, sent Harry flying across the room again, to smash though the Vernon's wide screen in a shower of sparks. "What to do, what to do, Ahh..." He whispered, catching sight of a cupboard under a set of stairs, a bright steel padlock gleaming dully on a hook.

In the real world Harry was laying on the floor, blood flowing from his nose, his body tense and straining. Crookshanks was rubbing against him, desperately trying to wake him.

********************Hallway outside the Library*******************

Hermione was tired, but she almost skipped down the hall anyway. She was a little excited and wanted to show Harry the book she had found. It would be fun, if nothing else, if they could transfigure Crookshanks to the size of a tiger and have him stare at Pig, hungrily, Ron would pee his pants, that'd get him back for that "reservations" for The Shrieking Shack bit. She thought gleefully. Though he might transform himself in response, an annoying counter flicked across her mind. Suddenly she felt blood dripping from her nose, and a pain growing behind her eyes, which grew wide with sudden, horrible realization. HARRY...you aren't taking him you son of a bitch. Her eyes blazed with light, "LEGILIMENS"

************Head's Common Room, Gryffindor Tower/Harry's mind************

Still in the dream

Voldemort grabbed Harry by the collar and began to drag him to the cupboard under the stairs. "Who will save the savior now, Harry?" Voldemort chuckled and waved his wand at the cupboard, opening it.

"I will Riddle, EXPELLIARMUS" came a cold soprano, from behind him. Voldemort was instantly blasted across the room, Harry falling from his grasp.

Getting up, he looked over his shoulder to spot Hermione standing in the ruins of the door, "You are the defender Dumbledore sends for his favorite, you, little mudblood." He laughed derisively. "You think that you can stand against me? Are you so eager to rejoin your parents little mudblood, hmmm?"

"Tom, didn't your father tell you if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all?" Voldemort snapped around, to witness Harry, but not as he had left him, but standing, once again seventeen, with his eyes blazing a brilliant blue counterpoint to the red of his own, the Cloak of the Order billowing in an invisible wind, the Sword of Gryffindor sheathed on his back. He followed Harry warily, as Harry walked over to Hermione, who was also now in the cloak of the Order, the hated Phoenix emblem decorating the clasp. Harry continued in a conversational tone, "I believe that we returned the last person to call her that to you, in two boxes...Tom."

Voldemort stood speechless, in the span of seconds; he had gone from the edge of victory over his greatest foe to a battle that he was barely holding even. How could this be, I have the life forces of six Death Eaters at my call to reinforce my own power, Not even Dumbledore himself could hold against me with that power at my call, they are merely a pair of teenagers. His thoughts were growing desperate.

But soon not even that. In an eyeblink Harry and Hermione pointed their wands at him "Occlumenous Kedavra." Twin bolts of searing blue light struck Voldemort in the chest.

***********************Riddle Mansion******************************

Bolts of blue light snapped out from Voldemort to the six Death Eaters encircling him; all six dropped to the floor, dead. Voldemort for his part, fell to his knees, and threw his hands out to stop his fall. The Death Eaters remaining looked shocked. Lucius Malfoy hurried to Voldemort's side and helped him to his feet. He started to ask what had happened, but fell silent at what he saw in Voldemort's eyes, which while red were not glowing. For the first time Malfoy discovered...the tiniest trace of fear in Voldemort's eyes.

Snape slipped carefully up the stairs, he must attempt to report this; it was worth his life.

********************Head's Common Room, Gryffindor Tower*****************

Harry was now laying limp, blood pooled under his head from his ears and nose. Crookshanks, who had been on his lap sleeping when the attack came, batted Harry with a paw obviously trying to get him awake, after a minute or two Crookshanks gave this up and sprinted for the stairs.

Only to return a minute later with an irate Ron in tow, "Damn it Harry, I know that you've got Hermy's damn cat up to somethi....OH BLOODY HELL!" He yelled, catching sight of Harry. "GET DUMBLEDORE HERE NOW!" He screamed down the stairs to the main common room and slid in beside Harry, checking his pulse.

Literally as fast as a third year could run to the Headmaster's office, Dumbledore apparated into the room, he took in Harry instantly, the limp condition, the dried blood under his nose. Knelling down, he grabbed Harry in his arms and disappeared. Ron just looked up and flew down the stairs, hardly even slowing down at the portrait hole.

**********************Hogwarts infirmary********************************

Dumbledore appeared in the infirmary as he had left the common room, with Harry in his arms, bellowing "POPPY" he set Harry gently on his usual bed.

"What?" Madam Pomfrey asked as she came out of her office at a run, "OHHH" She ran to the bedside and flicking her wand behind her called several instruments to her. "What happened?" She asked quickly, meanwhile a howling sleet had started hitting the windowpanes of the castle, almost drowning her out.

"I don't know, probably Voldemort." Dumbledore replied and Pomfrey gave a little shudder but kept working. "Ron found him" and as if called Ron came running into the room. Suddenly a thought struck him, Hermione? Where is she, either of them would know anywhere if anything happened to the other, "RONALD, find Hermione NOW!" He snapped at his student, in whose eyes he could see the same realization. Ron turned and ran out of the infirmary, yelling at Luna and some others who had followed him from Gryffindor Tower to spread out as he went.

After several minutes Ron came back in, trailed by Lupin with an unconscious Hermione in his arms, dried blood on her face, and a nervous Tonks. Both Lupin and Tonks looked disheveled, perhaps enough so on another night to warrant gentle teasing but not this night. "Ginny found her outside of the Library" Lupin started, then catching sight of Harry lying in the same condition he set her on the bed next to him with a little grunt and continued as Ginny came running in out of breath, her shorter legs hadn't let her keep up. "She was like this, like Harry is I would guess, what happened?"

"I am not sure however..." Noticing it was only trusted members of the Order and Pomfrey in the room, he said, "Ginny keep the room clear" she nodded grimly and went to stand outside the door. "It was probably Riddle." He growled and the sound of thunder echoed over the grounds as if to emphasize his point. "There's only one way to find out unfortunately." Dumbledore briefly closed his eyes as if in prayer, then he opened them, and prying Harry's eyes open with one hand, "LEGILIMENS".

Instantly images snapped into his mind's eye, images of the cupboard under the stairs, of the padlock on the door, of Vernon's huge hands. Then the image of Voldemort, huge as if seen from a small child's perspective, and pain, a lot of pain. Suddenly the images turned, the viewpoint suddenly rose as if returning to the height of an adult, and a beautiful girl filled his thoughts... "Ahh" Dumbledore snapped back to himself, panting slightly. Harry's natural defenses had kicked in, a good sign, when Dumbledore approached memories of Hermione, after all it wasn't like he had permission to go look around in his mind, and Harry was still unconscious. Dumbledore glanced over at Hermione, sighed, and stood up, motioning Tonks and Lupin to follow with a crooked finger. After the three had stepped behind one of several privacy screens he began. "It is as I feared, Tom managed to force himself back into Harry's thoughts, probably to try and destroy him from within, as he hasn't been able to from without."

"But I thought Harry and Hermione both had mastered Occlumency." Tonks replied horrified, her hair changing color involuntarily as a sign of her nervousness, a sign that Dumbledore hadn't seen since she was a teen here getting ready to take her DADA NEWT.

"Nymphadora, Remus...they had, in fact I don't think I could have forced my way into either's mind by myself, without aid. I think Tom tried something I have only read about, I felt the presence of other minds besides Tom's in Harry's thoughts, I think he bound the minds and souls of several of his followers to him, to give the combined gestalt enough power to punch through Harry's defenses. I think Hermione came in after him and together they forced him out, possibly though magic neither should know...but they both do a lot of things they aren't supposed to be able to. If I am correct, I believe that Tom is now several Death Eaters short." Dumbledore finished grimly but with a tiny undercurrent of pride.

"Then why are they both out?" Remus asked concernedly.

"If I am correct, they both channeled a great deal of energy in the battle, and Harry is probably worse, as unless I miss a guess, he was probably alone in there with Tom for several minutes before Hermione could fight her way in to be with him." Dumbledore lowered his voice to a whisper that they had to lean in to hear. "I think that the two of them used, rightly, a combat spell like the Kedavra curse but for the mind. I will not rest if that secret comes out." Dumbledore finished looking both of them in the eyes, looking for the entire world like an old king lion ready to defend his pride. Tonks and Lupin nodded solemnly. Then in a normal tone, "we will just have to wait until they wake up. I would appreciate it if you two would cover their classes until they are back up and around. They nodded solemnly and headed off, Tonks grasping onto Lupin's hand a little tightly. Dumbledore moved to a bed opposite his two students and waving a wand, transfigured it into one of his old comfy chairs. He sat and pointing his wand at the bedside table, a cup of hot chocolate appeared.

Dumbledore took the drink and watched the two of them sleep. Flashes of the images he saw in Harry's mind, of Vernon and Voldemort, and of Hermione coming to save Harry that day in Hogsmeade. She had once accused Dumbledore of manipulating Harry to his ends. There was a bit of truth in that insult from long ago, and he felt guilty, not a new feeling over the last few years but still. I'm so sorry dear girl, I didn't believe you; I couldn't imagine that that man was so evil to Harry, especially in that month after Sirius died. No wonder Petunia never stood up to him. It could even explain why Dudley had never expressed magical tendencies; the environment had repressed them. I was only considering Harry's safety from Riddle, I truly never thought he would not be safe with family, unappreciated and resented perhaps but not what I saw in his mind tonight.

Vernon, how Harry let never himself go and totally destroyed you is a mystery. It finally, fully explains why he could not control himself that 5th year, this is his true home, it was where he should have been able to relax, and be safe and we let him down. Even with the occasional attack by dark forces he probably felt safer here, at least he could fight back here, in that muggle house we even took that away from him.
His eyes flitted over to Hermione. No wonder she was so adamant that we come and get him the summer before last in that month after Sirius's death, but I was so sure that I was correct and not a sixteen year old girl that was lovestruck, even though neither knew it at the time.

********************#12 Grimmauld Place, London**********************
Flashback

July 1, 2004 (One month until Harry's sixteenth birthday, a few weeks after Sirius' death)

A bushy-brown-haired girl in torn jeans and a short pink t-shirt stared with more than a little menace at an old man with a long sweeping white beard and hair and strange, starred robes. The girl was several inches shorter than the tall wizard, but it was him that was rocked back on his heels. A minute ago, she had stormed into the darkly paneled den that Dumbledore had taken as his office while at 12 Grimmauld Place. The desk and visitors chairs were precise duplicates of those at Hogwarts, Fawkes had been sitting at his shoulder but on witnessing the visitor enter, had vanished abruptly with a flash.

Hermione had come into the room and with a wave of her hand, slammed the door to the room shut. Impressive Hermione, He had thought, impressed despite himself, casting a locking charm and an Imperturbable Charm at the same time with out even speaking or drawing your wand.

She spoke without preamble, in a cold, cold voice. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?"

"Miss Granger" Dumbledore replied mildly, he knew what this was, but he hadn't expected her sheer anger or the power she was barely holding in check before now, not yet.

"WHY ARE YOU GOING TO LET HARRY ROT IN THAT PLACE ALL SUMMER? HE"S HURTING, HE NEEDS FRIENDS NOT MORE ENEMIES" she snapped in reply, not even giving him the courtesy of his name or title.

"It is for his own good, Hermione, the blood magic..."

"Doesn't protect him from his Goddamn Uncle. Do you know what he has had to go through in his years there? You better pray that he comes from that place whole or I'm taking Harry and we're leaving, and you can fight your damn war by your self, he's already paid too much." With this last statement, her hair began to rise and several of the items on the shelf behind him, began to explode. She blinked and the room calmed down, but he knew it was only a lull.

Dumbledore felt the power lurking behind her eyes and knew that Harry had at least one equal. And knew that she would follow though on her threat, and knew that if she asked, Harry would follow her without question, dooming them all.

She went on, her tone flat with menace, "Harry, is a person, not a God dammed weapon in your war, no matter what he is, or how powerful he is. I'm not going to watch him kill himself another year, when you won't even talk to him, won't even tell him what he is doing or why."

"You just better hope," She muttered one last time and with another wave of her hand the door opened and she left as she came.

***********************Infirmary*********************************

Present.

Yes that was one of the few times I've actually felt afraid of a student. Even Harry's explosion of a couple of weeks prior, had been farther from the edge than that one. If Vernon had disregarded Moody just a fraction more that year, then he would have died a year sooner, along with who knows what other damage. Hermione, I am sorry that I put him though that. It was that conversation that finalized the realization that I had been wrong, I knew I had been, but not how wrong. I'm still amazed that we were able to keep you from coming home with him last summer, you would have, if Harry himself hadn't stopped you and you had the hard reassurance that we would be there on his birthday to take him away, and that hell itself wouldn't have kept him from you.

Dumbledore sat and watched the pair sleep for a while longer until he too awkwardly fell asleep in his chair.

February 17, 2006
3pm

Dumbledore was once again sitting in his chair opposite his Head Students. In complete contrast to the night of the attack, the day was bright, sunny and unseasonably warm for February. Out the windows one could see students on the lawn enjoying the rare, temperate winter day. Shafts of sunlight fell in the infirmary from the late afternoon sun. Dumbledore had just returned to his bedside post, he had been teaching classes. In the day and a half since the attack, Ron, Luna, Ginny, Neville, Remus, Tonks, Minerva, and himself had spent time here around the clock. As usual, on a table beside the bed, half of the Honeydukes line was waiting, having come from friends and well-wishers. As Dumbledore sat reading quietly, Hermione gave a soft moan and started to sit up. Dumbledore moved quickly to her and placing his hand behind her head, helped her to get a drink of water. Sinking back into the pillow, she glanced to her left, and closed her eyes; after a second with a small sigh, she visibly relaxed.

"Harry's ok, he's just sleeping." Hermione answered the silent question, she reached weakly for Harry's hand in the other bed but it was out of reach. To which Dumbledore just smiled and moved her bed against Harry's with a wave of his wand.

Deal with it Poppy, He thought, knowing that the med-witch would probably object, he made a mental note to reinforce that with her before he had to leave for the evening feast. "How are you dear?" He asked, concern in his voice as he watched her hand find Harry's.

"I'm tired mostly. I don't know for sure what happened, I was in the Library, Harry had left earlier to go help Ron with some spell work. I was tired and I found an interesting book on combat magic, which I wanted to show Harry, so I gave up for the night and was heading back when I felt that Harry was under attack. I got in Harry's mind and found Voldemort there, and somehow we forced him out. How was he able to get back into Harry's mind, I thought we both had mastered Occlumency?" She asked, a touch of fear in her voice.

"You had, I am afraid that once again I have failed the pair of you. Tom used a trick that I would have never considered, but I should have thought of. After Severus was able to get back last night, we were able to confirm my initial suspicions. Tom used the minds and powers of six of his Death Eaters, in combination with his own, to batter his way though Harry's defenses, to force their link open once more. With enough power any defense can be breached, as you well know."

"So he can get into Harry's and my, I suppose minds now, just by the application of enough power?" Hermione asked a slight quaver in her voice. She had been tired when the attack came, and she had expended a great deal of energy, both magical and physical, in the mental battle.

"No, fortunately it appears that this was a one-shot attempt. When you and Harry combined and cast him out, it hurt him and killed the Death Eaters he had with him. He will not risk that again."

"How many?" She muttered sadly in response.

"Six" Dumbledore replied softly. "You had no choice in the matter, it was combat, even if it was on a mental instead of a physical field."

"I know" Hermione replied, squeezing Harry's hand strongly, "it just...something Harry said, seems like a lifetime ago, that he couldn't become a killer, he couldn't become like that, and now all of us are." She stated accusingly, though Dumbledore knew that the anger wasn't directed at him, this time. "It was the night of his sixteenth birthday, it was only a month or so after Sirius had died. He broke down that night, and I held him until the sun rose. He told me the prophesy that night, and he admitted that the image of me lying hurt in the Ministry was the one that he woke up to screaming, He's never admitted it, but I know that at least one of the times that he woke up screaming in that month at the Dursleys that Vernon forgot the threat from Moody and Harry never said a thing, he didn't want Vernon on his conscience."

Dumbledore reached out and grabbed her other hand, "Hermione I am sorry, another of my failures, I should have trusted you when you came to me that summer and left that night to bring Harry home. If I had just found some other way of making him safe then he could have grown up in a loving household and maybe he could have admitted his feelings for you sooner. You know he has loved you since first year?" Dumbledore shrugged.

"I've been told." Hermione replied with a small smile turning her head to look at Harry's sleeping form and drifted back off to sleep, without an conscious decision on her part, she rolled on the now pushed together beds, until she was snuggled against Harry. Dumbledore smiled down at them, and got up to discuss propriety vs. reality with Poppy.



A/N hey at least its not a cliffie :)

Built by Text2Html

30. A Trap for a Sneak

Chapter 30: A Trap for a Sneak
******************Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office************************

February 25, 2006.

Harry and Hermione, along with the natural-born Weasley children, all six of them, Luna, Neville, and the six adult members of the Order that Dumbledore, had trusted, minus Arthur, were crammed into his office on a Saturday afternoon. It had been a week since Harry woke up, a day after Hermione did in the infirmary, and both were now more or less hale. All of them, with the exception of Dumbledore, had been summoned early this morning in a flash of fire and a note drifting slowly down to their hands as if from mid-air. Over the course of about the last hour every one had drifted in, and now the cast was present, though of them all, only Dumbledore, knew why he had sent for them.

Even Dumbledore's huge office was not really large enough for sixteen people, three or four familiars, and enough seating to hold them all. For some reason even Dumbledore couldn't remember, the room couldn't be expanded by magic, so they all perched, or sat, or stood where they could. Dumbledore, of course sat behind his desk, peering over the top of his half-moon glasses around at the assembled students and faculty and Aurors, or combinations thereof scattered about his office. Harry was sitting in a now familiar perch, on the edge of Dumbledore's desk with Hermione squeezed in beside him, much to the displeasure of at least one of the portraits overlooking the desk. The old witch in the picture, Marguerite Holcomb, had been headmaster in the early 20's and she had been known for whipping the female students if they showed an ill-turned ankle, the sight of Hermione basically sitting in Harry's lap on the Headmaster's desk had almost sent her into apoplexy. After about thirty seconds of her complaining, Dumbledore had cast a silencing charm on her portrait, to scattered applause from the rest. Of course the fact that she had been berating Dumbledore and McGonagall the very night before about the length of the girl's uniform skirts that they were not only above the knee, but also in some cases well above the knee, had not helped her case.

Ron and Luna were both squeezed into one of the large chintz armchairs next to the desk, with Tonks sitting next to them. Remus was leaning on back of her chair. Moody was sprawled across another, next to them, wooden leg sticking out straight, sure to trip anyone walking by, his electric blue eye spinning rapidly to look at everyone in turn. The rest of the Weasleys and Neville were scattered among or around two other couches, with McGonagall, filling a final armchair opposite Ron, completing a circle of sorts. Crookshanks and Spooky, Ginny's gray kneazle, were curled together at McGonagall's feet, while Fawkes and Hedwig, were perched on top of a bookshelf behind Dumbledore's desk.

"Albus, now that we are all here," began McGonagall, in her customary burr, "why are we all here on our Saturday, dragging us away from our leisure, or our homework?" She finished, looking directly at Ron, who turned slightly red and hurriedly looked away from her.

"Unfortunately, Minerva" Dumbledore spoke with barely suppressed humor in his voice, "as much as some here may need to complete assignments," an eye flick to Ron, who just sunk lower in his seat, "I'm afraid that I need to discuss matters of importance with you all." He waved his wand at the desk in front of him, and a glass sphere appeared, an exact copy of the one smashed almost two years ago in the Ministry of Magic debacle. "To this day, Tom does not know the prophecy of his final conflict with Harry, or," with another wand wave, "of this second one. He only thinks he got the actual prophesy from Sybil last year, he does not know that she, in her somewhat tenuous grasp on reality, modified it in her own head. He did not take the time to dig deep enough to ascertain the truth, he just took her surface thoughts as fact."

"A second, why didn't I, we..." Harry looked stunned, he turned to Dumbledore, as to confirmation of what he had just heard.

"Because Harry, it's not one..." Dumbledore replied with a shrug.

"A false prophesy" Hermione breathed, already flashing forward to what must be Dumbledore's plan.

Dumbledore turned to the girl that might as well be his own granddaughter by now, with a slight grin. "Well actually not, Hermione" Hermione raised an eyebrow at this apparent contradiction, but waited for the actual explanation. This better be good.

It was, "The rememberall does contain a prophesy, it has to as there are certain spells that can detect if one is present or not, the prophesy however cannot be heard of course except by those it mentions or those who heard it originally. This prophesy however, while also by the imitable Professor Trelwany, concerns Fawkes, and how many Phenoci his mate will deliver next year." At that explanation at least half the humans present turned to look at Fawkes, who just preened for the audience.

With a look around at all of them, Dumbledore returned to business. "I propose to call a meeting of the order, this Wednesday. In this meeting, I will reveal that a record of a second prophecy, regarding the location of our final conflict with Tom has been discovered. I will ask for volunteers to guard this prophecy, as obviously I do not feel that that the Ministry's repository has proven safe. I also propose to tell Severus that this is a trap for Voldemort, that we are looking for a mole..."

"But if he's the spy, he'll tell Voldemort," Ron snapped, incredulous at this apparent blunder by Dumbledore.

"Be quiet Weasley, let the man speak," McGonagall glared across to him, the tone of her burr showing her irritation.

At least two of those present have already figured out Dumbledore's plan. Of course it didn't hurt that one of them was related to him and that they could read each other's minds. "Brilliant" Harry and Hermione spoke as one, their eyes meeting as they did. They both twisted to look at Dumbledore fully from their seats next to him.

"Well you two, since you have already figured me out," Dumbledore said with a nod almost as if this were a class and they had their hands up, "please explain." Dumbledore hid a smile behind his hands as Harry surreptitiously motioned for Hermione to answer. This was serious, deadly so, but he couldn't help it at Harry's letting her answer first.

Hermione glanced at Harry, almost as to ask for confirmation, than she turned to the room as a whole, the back of her head to Dumbledore and Harry, after all they already knew. "You are going to tell the other Order members, in the hopes that they volunteer to help guard it, and if the prophecy disappears on their watch, it's probably them. You are going to tell Snape,"

"Professor Snape, dear" Dumbledore automatically interjected at the omission.

"If Professor Snape" Hermione continued in almost the exact same tone that Harry would have used in being reminded of the same faux pas.

Merlin, they have the exact same attitude towards him, Severus better hope he's retired before I get any new grandkids. Dumbledore thought with an inner smile, careful to keep a neutral expression.

Hermione finished her explanation, "tells Riddle, no one will take the prophecy, as he will know it's a trap."

"Basically correct Hermione, with the exception that if our trap is sprung, it may very well blow his cover, as the muggles say, and if he has not been able to leave before then that failure could prove deadly to him. It's a risk but I feel that we should take it. And it is my decision, I will take the responsibility if this goes wrong." As Dumbledore said this, he looked each of the members in the eye, finally settling on the two perched on his desk.

"What about Professor Snape, in the event it does go badly?" Harry asked hesitantly, Snape and him will probably never be close friends, but Harry was tired of bodies on his conscience, and he did not want to sacrifice him if at all possible.

"Alastor is attempting to arrange additional help if needed for Severus. Harry," Dumbledore looked at him directly, abandoning any pretence that he didn't know of Harry's and Hermione's and Ron's and most of the rest of the school's actually, feelings ranging from distaste to full on hatred of the Slytherin head. "If Alastor succeeds in his goal to acquire a certain item, Severus will have a one-time link to a two-way portkey that I can create, as you know Tom has placed every protection on his lair, though I know it is Riddle mansion, we cannot currently find it physically, or magically. I need to know right now, and I hate to ask this, if I have to go and get him out will you come with me? Harry, even with the prophesy, no one knows, if your going to Tom's lair will be the cause of your final conflict with him, or we may get away without any contact with him at all, a outcome that, if it becomes necessary to retrieve Severus, I would much prefer. You may have to face him in the end, but it doesn't have to be soon." Moody nodded at Harry's glance confirming several answers at once.

Mione, you know I have to. Harry thought to his companion.

Hermione could feel the mixed emotions in Harry's thoughts, she knew that in the end, he would go in an instant if he thought he was needed, especially to help save a friend or ally, however disliked. I know...you know that I'm coming too right? The silent response wasn't a question really. She answered for both of them. "Yes, we will" Her tone utterly flat at the prospect.

"If Harry and Hermione go then I'll" Ron started then at an elbow from Luna, "We'll go." A rumble of similar comments went around the room. Ending at Minerva, who just turned to Dumbledore, with a petulant expression that would do most of her teenage female students proud, "You never let me go anywhere Albus." The room cracked up at that comment and the pact was set.

******************Hogwarts, Harry and Hermione's Common Room*************

March 3, 2006
10pm

The meeting that Dumbledore had called has passed. Almost all of the members that could have attended did so. Arthur Weasley sent one of his sons as a proxy as he couldn't arrange to get away unnoticed on short notice, however as he was one of the trusted few, he already knew of the plan, and had Aurors secretly on standby, though he didn't tell them why.

Ron, Luna and Ginny came up to Harry and Hermione's separate common room to hang out, the main common room was full of fifth years theoretically studying for their OWLs but last time Harry had struck his head in, very little studying was going on. Harry had just shook his head and left, At least they're staying out of trouble, though his definition of that phrase was very different from how many Professors would have defined it.

"So Harry," Ron began, looking across the table at his friend. "Are you going to move into Grimmauld after graduation?'

"Are you asking to live with us Ronald?" Hermione shot back with a half grin, petting Crookshanks where he sat next to her and Harry on the couch, playing with a furry toy mouse.

"You mean you two are going to live together before you are married? The shame, the shame." Ron replied his eyes wide with false dismay. The two mentioned merely threw the nearest couch cushions at Ron's head; he caught them and flung them to the side with a practiced keeper move. "Seriously though," he asked glancing over at Luna, who gave him a smile. "If I actually do manage to graduate, and get my NEWTs, I'll be at the Auror academy with you guys."

"Yes, Ron, you can" Harry replied as Hermione and Ginny started laughing at him, "There are like ten bedrooms in that place, and anyway, Dobby might get bored with only the two of us to look after." Harry finished with a slight shudder as he thought of the things Dobby might think up if he was too bored. "Anyway, I expect that Mione and I will see all of you at the house, all the time."

**********************#12 Grimmauld Place************************

Outside a locked room, a bundle of rags stirred. I guess I am alone now. A wand extended from somewhere inside, and with a muttered, "Alohomora" the lock clicked open, and the rags shambled into the room. The crystal orb that Dumbledore had shown the group in his office several days ago, sat on an old rickety table on a little stand. From under the rags, a hand holding a glass sphere about the same size and weight as the prophecy orb appeared. The person replaced their wand from where it came from. He stood in front of the stand, and with a quick movement, he swapped the glass sphere for the Prophesy orb. Placing the orb inside his robes, he backed slowly out of the room and closed and locked the door.

"Nice try Mundungus," came a growl from over to his right. As he looked over, his hand darted for his wand, only to stop at a soft female voice from his other side.

"Don't even think about it Fletcher" Tonks growled, throwing her invisibility cloak off of her shoulders with her left hand, while her wand remained pointing at his heart. "Why?" She asked the traitor angrily, truly not understanding why one would take the dark path by choice.

"Money and power lass, why else," Mundungus replied with a shrug, as if the answer were self-evident. "The Dark Lord promised me control of the underworld after he won."

"And Dumbledore trusted you" Remus with an expression that looked as if he wanted to spit in his face, as he and Moody threw off their invisibility cloaks, "How long you shit?"

He knew he was doomed anyway so he responded, "Since before the Dementors went after Harry in Privet drive, you really think I would have left for some dodgy caldrons? That's small time." Mundungus sealed his fate with a sneer.

Moody reached out and grabbed him, "We'll see, maybe if we're lucky Dumbledore will let Harry or Hermione rip any information out of your mind." At the last Mundungus' composure finally crumbled as he realized what Moody had just said, his face grew white as a sheet under the dirt.

**********************Riddle Mansion***********************************

11pm (one hour later)

Voldemort paced back and forth. His spy had told him that he could acquire the prophecy, so recently revealed, by both his and Severus' chance overhearing of McGonagall and that female half-blood Auror in the hall. Mundungus Fletcher had stated that after this he would have to leave, as there could be no hiding if he stole it. Of course the mercenary had asked for even more money, which Voldemort was only happy to give him, it wasn't like he would still be around to collect it anyway after he delivered the prophesy here in any case.

The room, as was normal for any room Riddle inhabited these days was sparsely lit, the old greeting parlor of the mansion had seen better days, but for now it was adequate for his purposes, his trusted Death Eaters, Lucius, Bellatrix, McNair and Severus, watched him from the opposite wall where they were standing. Between them and Voldemort, Voldemort's giant snake familiar dozed near the fire. An ancient clock struck eleven times, the hour that Fletcher had promised he would deliver the prophecy. Snape carefully did not meet Voldemort's gaze, but merely waited for his master's bidding. Five then ten minutes went by. As Voldemort scanned the room once again, he happened to catch the eye of Severus for just a second, but that was enough. A single bead of sweat gave the game away, one that Severus has been playing off and on for almost seventeen years.

Well Albus, it seems that you have caught my spy and I have yours, however I don't think that an exchange will take place this time. Voldemort stopped pacing suddenly and with a flick of his wand, that he had been holding behind his back as he paced, Snape's wand flew across the room from his pocket to Voldemort's waiting hand, at the same time the giant snake's eyes snapped open and she hissed menacingly at Snape. "The whole seventeen years, Severus? And why would one such as you partake of this insanity?"

By now the other Death Eaters had caught on, and had pulled their wands on Snape. Severus for his part kept his hands in his pockets where they had been, a thumb stroking a luck stone, that he sincerely hoped would be lucky this evening. Severus for the first time, glared at Lord Voldemort defiantly, the repressed anger of seventeen years pouring out in his response. "You killed my sister, and Lily" Snape responded angrily, all traces of subservience gone.

"Ahh, I thought it might be something like that." Thomas Marvolo Riddle replied, his voice dripping with scorn. "CRUCIO"

Snape dropped to the floor screaming, the pain was unbearable, so intense, that even if he wanted to he couldn't cry. Voldemort stopped and repeated this process several times. After the first couple of times, Bellatrix had an oddly orgasmic face on, with Lucius just looking on stonily. It was on his recommendation that Snape had been accepted as a Death Eater so many years ago, and he was afraid for himself, his wife, and rather distantly for his son. His wife in particular, was currently still a hostage to his and Draco's "good behavior, more or less" though far more so to Draco's as the boy had not proven reliable. Finally Voldemort grew tired of this game. "McNair, take this piece of dung to my dungeon, I will think up a proper punishment tonight. Lucius, I believe that you have an appointment? Bellatrix my dear" and holding out his arm for her, he left to his chambers, the Lestrange on his arm.

McNair grabbed five or so of the general Death Eaters along the wall and they dragged Snape away, only semi-conscious, never bothering to search him, after all their master had already taken his wand.

*******************Head's Common Room, Hogwarts****************

Harry was still sitting with his friends, it was Friday night after all; it wasn't like he had to get up early though he and Hermione probably should go on rounds to check on things sometime soon. They had in the end, agreed to let both Neville and Ron stay in a pair of the spare bedrooms in Grimmauld after graduation until they could get an apartment, both Ron and Ginny were thankful, Ron because he could stay without his mother pestering him every minute like she would at the Burrow, and Ginny because she could more easily meet Neville there, as she still had school here for another year.

Almost at once several things happened. Harry's scar started burning heavily, and Hermione's head snapped around to his, meeting his eyes, her hand flying to her forehead in a sympathetic reaction as she felt the pain though their link. And second later, with a flash of light and a single golden feather, a note fluttered down into Harry's lap.

Harry,

Its time, come to my office now.

Albus

Harry and Hermione, who read the note over his shoulder, stood up immediately, she asked Ron "You coming?" Ron and Luna both immediately understood the question and just nodded. Ginny also stood, but to her disappointment Harry waved her back.

"No Gin, too many people would just get in the way. If we need a lot of folks, we're dead anyway."

Ginny glared slightly at them; then sighed. "Come back safe, I'll come after you if need be so don't make me come after you guys."

Harry gave her a look of understanding; "Accio sword" his sword shot out of his bedroom into his waiting hand. Hermione, glanced around at them, and with an odd quick flip of one of her wands and a muttered incantation, their clothes transformed to the field gear of the order, their black cloaks hanging down over their clothes like the folded wings of a bird of prey. Hermione pulled a couple of rubber bands out of a pocket and flipped one to Luna. Tying back her hair, she turned to Harry.

"Ready"

"Ok" Harry and Hermione each grabbed one of their friends. Their hands met and with a blue flash in their eyes, all four of them were instantly in Dumbledore's office to find Dumbledore and Remus waiting on them in similar attire. The hilt of a sword that Hermione had only seen once before, in the aftermath of last year's Hogsmeade battle, poked out from under his cloak at Dumbledore's side. In his right hand, he held the sheath of another sword that looked very familiar to them all. It was almost identical to Harry's with the exception that instead of the rubies that were inset in the handle of Harry's sword, this one had one ruby with a sapphire on either side, poking from under the cord wrap.

"I believe this is yours dear," Dumbledore said handing her the sword, which she slung on her back, not taking the time to look at it, as she had a feeling that she already knew what it would look like. "We don't have time to go into everything now, but the traitor has been caught at Grimmauld, and it looks as if that action has resulted in Severus' discovery. He activated the beacon a few minutes ago. If anything happens, we get out right then. The same as the safehouse raid last October, Harry, everyone else, we are not going to fight Tom, but to bring one of our own home." Dumbledore held out a large silver ring about the size of a tuna can. "On three...two...one...

***********************Dungeon Riddle Mansion**********************

Harry and the rest felt the familiar snap-tug behind their navels and with a rainbow fall of color, they were suddenly in a dark, musty dungeon. The iron smell of fresh blood permeated the walls. A torch lit the corridor every twenty or so feet. As he stretched out his senses, Harry felt a weird sensation in his scar, almost like when he and Mione...Oh GOD, that's sick. Harry glanced over at Albus, slightly green, "Riddle's uh occupied right now. I think if we hurry we can ruin his night." Harry finished, not wanting to complete the thought. Hermione glanced over at Harry with a disgusted expression too; sometimes it really sucked having your boyfriend being able to feel the emotions of your archfiend when he was close enough, especially when you were in his mind too. Harry just mouthed "Sorry" in response.

Fortunately Dumbledore got the idea instantly and Ron didn't decide that this would be a good time for questions. Using hand signals Harry silently led the rest of them down the passage, staying in the shadows until he could just see the five Death Eaters standing outside of a cell, though the bars set in the door, Harry could just barely see the shadow of another Death Eater standing in the cell. From the outline of the great axe the Death Eater held, Harry figured it was McNair, the same bastard that had tried to kill Buckbeak, and that they had captured at the Ministry, only to escape with the rest three months later.

Harry pulled back from the corner, and whispering as low as he possibly could, he addressed the rest. "We can take out the five outside easy enough with silent stunners, but you have to be a pretty good shot to take out McNair though the bars with a reduced power stunner." Harry figured that he or Dumbledore would end up doing that job.

Luna whispered back, her voice as serious she could make it. "I can do it" though a touch of her usual dreaminess leaked though.

Harry made a snap decision, looking at Dumbledore as he whispered back, "It's yours" Harry waved them to the corner, where he, Ron and Remus dropped to the floor and inched around the corner, leading with their wands. Their black cloaks, causing them to disappear in the dimness away from the pools of light cast by the touches.

It wouldn't have mattered much anyway, the Death Eaters were half asleep and they were standing in the pool of light put out by a torch next to the cell door. NOW Harry snapped out a thought strong enough for Ron, Luna and Remus to "hear" it, to Hermione and Dumbledore it was probably like he yelled in their ears, he'd apologize later. The five out front, fell silently in five flashes of red light, the younger members' endless practices under Dumbledore and Moody having paid off. McNair dropped a fraction of a second later, as on seeing the flashes out of the corner of his eye, he turned and Luna shot him between the eyes, straight though the bars.

The six rushed to the cell door, skidding to a halt. With a quiet "Alohomora" Ron unlocked the cell door and fanned out to cover the approaches to the cell. Dumbledore, Harry and Hermione rushed into the cell stepping over the form of McNair to find Severus half conscious, on a cot, blood staining his robes, his large nose broken. Harry could tell from experience, that several other bones were broken from the way he was laying, plus the Cruciatus curse aftereffects were painfully obvious. Hermione summoned a bit of water from her wand to rouse him.

The water hit Snape in the face; he looked up and saw Hermione in the dimness. "Granger...I don't suppose that Voldemort captured you as well?" He asked in a mixture of hope and annoyance, but with an undercurrent of something else she had never heard from him, she couldn't identify, thanks maybe?

"Hardly" she snapped back in an undertone, and then with Harry's help they got him to his feet.

Snape saw Harry on the other side helping keep him up, "Potter...my night is complete, uggh...just because you are rescuing me, don't expect an O in class..." He broke off coughing, a bit of blood leaking from his lips.

"Ron, Remus, Luna, come here!" Dumbledore snapped, and held out the portkey. They could hear footsteps pounding down the hall, but too late, as the first Death Eater reached the cell door, they vanished, a green bolt passing though where they had been a fraction of a second before.

**************************Infirmary, Hogwarts****************************

The group, now plus one ported into the Infirmary, where Poppy seemed to have been waiting for them. She just pointed to a bed in the deserted room, and Harry, Hermione and Remus gently eased Snape down.

After several moments she backed off, and went to get some additional potions from her office. Harry and the rest, turned to leave to go to Dumbledore's office, when they were stopped by a voice from behind.

"Harry, Hermione, Ron" the three musketeers of Hogwarts turned back to Snape, shocked that he had used their first names. Luna was in another room, where one of Pomfrey's assistants was fixing up a cut on her hand, the only casualty among the rescuers of the night. He looked fixedly at them, obviously fighting to stay awake to say this, "Thank you" and with that, the Hogwarts potions master fell unconscious.

************************Hogwarts, Headmaster's office**********************

March 4, 2006
3 am

Harry and the others who went on the raid staggered back to Dumbledore's office after a quick detour to change into normal street clothes. You could transfigure your clothes back, but for some reason if you did that too many times they tended to fall apart. So as per long ago advice from Tonks they changed. And anyway, Hermione had wanted to drop off her new toy at their room. Harry collapsed in a huge armchair facing his grandfather's desk; Hermione flopped on his lap, to the accompaniment of his slight grunt. Ron grabbed the next-door chair, but Luna seemed ok with just setting on one of the arms. Remus just leaned against a wall, as he has already heard this, he was at the capture of Mundungus several hours ago after all, and unlike the rest of them, he was still in his gear from tonight. If you looked closely you could still see some of Snape's blood on his black shirt from where he helped carry him into the infirmary.

The four students were experiencing that weird post adrenalin crash/hyperness/exhaustion state so they all just sort of stared at Dumbledore, waiting for him to speak. "Earlier this night, Remus, Nymphadora, and Alastor caught Mundungus Fletcher in our trap at Grimmauld place." Dumbledore got right to the point, he too was tired. No one said a word for several minutes, Harry accepted a cup of coffee from Hermione; she had conjured a pot as she sat down. He took a long slip, mostly to gather his thoughts, but also to let the caffeine try to deal with the exhaustion at least.

"Why? And since when?" The question was short, the answer important. Harry looked over the top of his glasses; they had fallen down his nose, an unconscious imitation of Dumbledore. The answer to Harry's question was also very important to the rest of the people in the room.

Remus answered for him from across the room, bitterness laden in his words. "I just got off the floo with Nymphadora," it was a sign of the seriousness of the subject that no one smiled at his use of her hated first name. "From what we got at the scene, and from what Moody and her got from him at the Ministry after we left to go get Severus, he's been in the employ of Voldemort since at least before the Dementors attacked you 5th year. That was supposedly an attempt to deny you and your friends and the training you need, he claims that Lucius put the bug in Umbridge's ear to send them after you," Remus shrugged slightly, "as to why, the almighty galleon, Voldemort was paying him and promised that he would get control of the underworld after he took over."

For a long, long moment Harry sat staring into the depths of his coffee, as if trying to divine an answer from the black liquid. At the same time he held a silent, hushed conversion with the witch in his lap, both of them keeping their thoughts so quiet that only they could "hear" them. My god, Mione, that bastard, he's...Sirius, your...everyone else; it can all be traced back to him at least in part.

I don't know either, love... I just can't comprehend somehow, and somehow I am almost glad I can't, I'm afraid that if we did...God help him.


A palatable tension filled the air as Harry and Hermione silently tried to sort out just what they should be feeling, rage, pity or hatred? But as they tried to sort out their feelings, Ron suddenly exclaimed. Dumbledore's eyes had understandably been looking at his great-great-great grandson and his lover, both of concern for them, and out of a sight sense of caution, as he knew from experience quite well what would happen if either or both truly lost control.

However it was Ron that lost control so early on this Saturday morning. He jumped up causing Luna to crash to the floor, unnoticed by him in his sudden rage. Just that act, especially the fact that he had knocked her down without knowing, was enough to send a shock though everyone there, not just the pain that Luna suddenly felt in her bum as she fell to the floor. Ron upended the coffee table that Hermione had conjured the service on earlier, coffee flew everywhere, even splashing as far as some of the papers on Dumbledore's desk. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" Ron yelled spinning to Remus, "He got Percy and Sirius killed for MONEY? And I thought he was a friend, He helped George and Fred get stuff for their shop and..." He stopped suddenly, looking around confused. As he spotted Luna, still on her bum in front of the chair looking up at him, he sunk to his knees in front of her "Oh bloody... I'm sorry Loony, I..."

"Its ok, honey" she replied softly as he sunk into her shoulder crying softly, "Its ok, you can let it out." Harry and Hermione just looked on silently, in a bit of shock, Ron was their best friend, but they hadn't realized the impact that Percy's death had had on Ron. They had noticed Ginny and Molly's tearful reactions obviously, but had not noticed that Ron was stoic, too stoic throughout the ordeal. Of course it wasn't as if neither of them had been able to focus on Ron either, considering that Hermione's parents had been killed at the same time. Without looking up, Luna addressed them, her voice totally absent of any dreaminess; it had been replaced with sudden concern for her fiancée. "Harry, Professor, I'm going to take him up to bed ok?"

"Sure Luna, in fact," Harry glanced at Dumbledore as if to ask permission, he got an incremental nod in response. "Take him up to"

"My room Luna" Hermione interrupted It's actually clean Harry, unlike yo...ours. After all we sleep in yours remember?

Fine with me
Harry thought back, "And stay with him tonight Luna, Remus can you help them up to the tower? Assuming that is ok Professor?"

"Certainly Harry, Luna you heard them, I'm sure Harry and Hermione will be across the common room if you need them." Remus, Luna and a silent Ron left, leaving Harry alone with the other two.

"What else did they get out of him?" Harry asked, his tone flat, if he were one of the lions that symbolized his house, or in his animagus form, his ears would be flat and his fangs would be showing. For her part in this drama, Hermione just stared at a point on Dumbledore's desk, just shy of him. If one caught her eye, he might imagine, an invisible tail, twitching back and forth as if ready to pounce on something or someone.

"Nothing really" Dumbledore said reluctantly as if he were afraid of the consequences if he stayed silent or if he talked. "Nymphadora and Alastor have had him at the Ministry's interrogation rooms for almost five hours now, besides what he told them initially he hasn't said much of consequence. And even if he did talk, I'm not sure what information he would really have."

Mione? Harry asked sensing her troubled thoughts, a mirror of his own. He's the one that...he's probably the one who told Riddle when the guard would be weakest.

Yeah, I know, but he didn't actually fire the spells that killed them, I just don't know anymore, I'm tired of it Harry.
She thought, her utter exhaustion braking through her thoughts. As a counter point to her thoughts, a storm that had been threatening all day finally broke over the castle, eerily reminding them of the night so recent in the past, that they had to fight for their lives in their dreams.

Suddenly a knock was heard at the door, with no voice behind it. Who the hell could that be at this time of night? Harry thought incredulously, the only ones who would have known the password and would be up this late would be teachers and or Order members, and they would have said something at least. In response Harry got the mental impression of a shrug. Dumbledore closed his eyes for an instant almost as if he was seeing an image in his mind. He snapped them open and looked sharply at the head students.

"Harry, Hermione, I need to ask you both of you a question, and I need the honest truth, if I ask it, will you take absolutely no action, unless I ask or unless you for some reason need to defend yourself, no matter who is behind that door," Dumbledore urgently asked the pair, his expression almost pleading with them. Fawkes turned and looked at them as if he too was awaiting the result, and a curious hush fell over the room.

"As long as those conditions are in place, yes I guess we can," Harry replied for the both of them. He didn't know what to think, from what Dumbledore had just asked he was almost concerned.

'Thank you, Harry and Hermione," Dumbledore replied, his voice as if he had just been given a great gift, which unknown to them, he had. "Then if you please, I would like you two to come over to this side of the desk," as bidden the two got up and walked to his side of the desk where he motioned them to take up positions to one side of the desk. Hermione hoped up on the desk sitting barely on the edge. Harry for his part chose a position slightly behind her, his hip leaning on the desk, both of them facing the two chairs they along with Ron and Luna had sat in moments before. With a wave of Dumbledore's wand the two chairs became one as the second vanished to limbo, or at least a closet somewhere. "Come In" Dumbledore said firmly to the door.

Damn Mione, do you think we will ever get any sleep tonight? Harry thought tiredly to her.

Lord I hope so, we can get ven...OH SHIT, Hermione's mental retort was cut off suddenly as both Harry and her caught sight of a shock of platinum blond hair. As one they instinctively grabbed for their wands, only to have Harry stop them both by gently forcing Hermione's wand down as he lowered his.

We promised Hermione. Harry reminded her gently, silently to keep their conversation covert. She just nodded and leaned back into him slightly, though both of their eyes never left the newcomer, and their hands didn't replace their wands into their jeans.

That was close, Dumbledore thought to himself. At one time he would have been stunned at the depth of the animosity that grown between the two camps, but not anymore. Even in James' day the lines had not been drawn so clearly. With the noted exception of a few Slytherins that kept their heads down out of self-preservation, you were either on the side of light, or you were in Slytherin. Or that was how the majority of the school saw it, anyway. "Draco, please sit." He called to the Slytherin prefect, as he motioned to the chair.

"One moment sir," Draco said softly, with a hint of respect for Dumbledore that he often did not show. He turned slightly to Harry and Hermione, who were still half standing/half sitting on the side of the great Headmaster's desk. "Potter, Granger, please hear me out, here" He said softly, drawing his wand with exquisite slowness with two fingers and tossing it though the air to them. Hermione plucked it from the air one handed, her eyes never leaving him. "If you still want to after I've said my piece, use my own wand on me, it'll be fitting somehow." Draco crossed to the chair and sat facing the Headmaster squarely, "Where do I start?"

"At the beginning is often a good choice" Dumbledore replied evenly, the humor that was so much a component of him leaking through just a touch.

Draco nodded slightly and cleared his throat, and began softly so that all of them had to strain to hear. "I would apologize to both of you, as with the exception of Weasley, you two have been my target for the majority of my malice. However, during the last seven or so years that we have known each other, there was a line I would not cross, a path that I did not take. My being here tonight, is probably my death sentence." Draco paused as he dropped that bombshell. No one said a word; they were waiting for the rest of his tale.

"Before I go on, I did not try and cause Hermione to fall to her death in last year's Quiddich match with Gryffindor nor was it done with my knowledge, I do believe that was one of my housemates, acting on orders from the Dark Lord however. The closest I have come to that was last year, when I used my housemates to ambush yours and Harry stopped me, I was angry to all of you for your part, in the capture of my father, and for other reasons. Voldemort has or has had my mother hostage to my good behavior, and in part to my Father's, or so I believed until tonight. This afternoon I received a message that I was to receive the Dark Mark upon my successful completion of an initiation rite." As Draco said this last bit, he stared at his own hands, not wanting to meet anyone's eyes in the room.

Harry spoke for the first time, his voice dripping with curiosity; he couldn't help it, "Rite?"

In response, Draco once again dug into his pockets and very slowly pulled out a small talisman, inscribed with a snake on one side and a lion on the other. He flipped it onto Dumbledore's desk as he continued, a slight look of distaste evident on his face. "My initiation was to use an suffocation curse on random Gryffindors as they slept. I have until tomorrow to accomplish this task or as anyone else who failed or refused the mark I will be killed. That talisman is supposed to get me past the Gryffindor security, including the girls stairs and the security on the Head's rooms." Malfoy gave a small shrug.

In a hiss replete with menace, Harry asked, "Just when was that to happen, tonight correct? And just how were you planning on escaping, I can tell you right now that charm would not have worked on many of us, and just where were you going to hide when I..."

"We..." Hermione interrupted, her eyes slightly glowing, her tone flat.

"When we hunted you down, Draco." Harry finished calmly, but with an air of utter assurance.

"It was" Draco replied softly, his face coming up to meet Harry's. "However about three hours ago, I refused the assignment."

"WHAT?" Harry and Hermione replied as one. Dumbledore just looked over his glasses at the Slytherin obviously deep in thought.

"My father had charmed a feather on my owl to act as a portkey to meet. At around midnight I met him, he was to give me the talisman, I was then to immediately carry out the assignment and escape to him. However I refused." Draco replied hotly, sweeping a mug remaining on the table to the floor, where it shattered with a crash. Malfoy looked at the broken mug on the floor and laughed bitterly, "A cheap cup, smashed on the floor such a metaphor for me, don't you think?" He said wearily and gave the rest of his tale. "My father however insisted, I again refused, and in response he brought my mother out. She for her part also commanded me to do the deed. When I refused again, she spat on me and said if I did not commit this act I was no son of hers and I would be disowned. Just as I was to respond to that last threat, both of them had their marks activated. The Dark Lord had commanded them to return instantly, something had happened I suppose. My father just repeated one last time for me to not fail, or the consequences would be grave to me. For years, I have believed that my mother was a hostage to my behavior, however after tonight it was apparent that she was no more a hostage than my father. So by this time tomorrow, I will be disowned and probably dead or marked for death. As Voldemort and my father both punish treason with death." Draco finished with a sigh and stared at Dumbledore, like a deposed king of old waiting for the headman's axe.

Harry and Hermione had carefully not exchanged a look when Draco had mentioned that his parents had had to return suddenly to Voldemort's side, Dumbledore however finally broke his silence that he had held since Draco started his story. "Mr. Malfoy, you come here tonight, with a tale that on the surface seems sincere, however there is one question that must be answered before, I, we can do anything with you, why? Why did you walk away from the path that you seemed bent on, and on your family?"

"Because there are limits to what I will do sir, If the order was to fight Potter, or Granger there or perhaps one of the others, one on one or even in an ambush again such as I instigated last year, the outcome might have been different, then even in an ambush they would have had a chance to fight, I might have died in the attempt, but it would have been honorable at least. I will not kill children in their beds...or in a candy shop. I did not know about the Hogsmeade attack either, I was just commanded not to go to the town by my father, I expected some sort of attack on the Gryffindors, Harry's age, but not what happened. Never what happened." Draco replied his drawl strained almost to the point of incomprehensibility.

Dumbledore nodded and stood up, "Harry, Hermione a moment, if you please." motioning to the door of his quarters, "Draco stay there." Harry and Hermione walked slowly over to the indicated doorway, both subconsciously taking turns watching Draco out of the corner of their eyes.

As they huddled together, Harry felt a curious sensation, almost like a knock on a door, instinctively he knew that it was Dumbledore wanting entrance into the link that he and Hermione shared, with a flashed warning thought to Hermione he let her know what he was doing. And that he'd close the door after Dumbledore was done, it wasn't that they didn't trust Dumbledore, even though Harry and Hermione as well, still had some buried issues over the whole fifth year. But there were thoughts that passed between them routinely that he didn't need to hear. With the mental image of a key turning in a lock, Ok, come in.

Thank you, Harry, Hermione, I'm sorry to intrude but this is the only way to be secure.
Dumbledore replied grimily. What do you two think; it does however confirm certain things, that Severus found out before he was in turn found out.

What, we already knew that Voldemort might have Draco's mother hostage to his behavior. Besides we know that he was the one that gave Harry and my relationship up to the Death Eaters, I know you never told me, but I am in Harry's mind as much as he is in mine, Albus
She snapped in her thoughts to him, Harry, love, I know that you were trying to protect me, but we have had this conversation. She finished, though she knew damn well that he'd keep trying to protect him even if she threw him out on his ear, much like she would do for him, no matter what he said.

Harry just gave her a knowing smile and replied to Dumbledore's original question, No offence, Grandfather, but at this very instant, your record of accepting former evil-doers is fifty, fifty, Severus in the end, I admit, proved himself to us both at least as to what side he is on, though we still don't really like him or him us, but Mundungus...I do not believe Draco's story, at least in total, he is probably just more scared of us than Voldemort at the moment.

Yes, I was afraid that Mundungus would color this; but there have been signs over the years that Draco did not necessarily approve of the path that he had been on.
With a thought directed at Harry, though Hermione of course "heard it" And to be honest the main reason that Draco is your enemy, is that seven years ago a hat, followed your request and placed you into Gryffindor, Yes Harry I knew of the hat's original intention. In many ways you two are much alike, you are both loyal to your friends as long as they are loyal to you. As to the behavior of his mother, it may confirm that she had gone from being a hostage to Malfoy, to a favorite of Riddle's much like Bellatrix is.

Harry and Hermione both shuddered at that mental image, after a second Harry responded, Ok, just what do you want to do with him? Use him to replace Snape as our spy?

Exactly Harry,
Dumbledore responded to him, I know that you were joking, but if his attack were foiled, by means beyond his control, then he could claim that he was attempting his task, but was stopped. The main problem is that he is not skilled in Occlumency, if Tom were to suspect at all, he would kill him instantly; he would not repeat his mistake with Severus. We would have to use him to pass erroneous information to Tom without leaving the school.

Hermione looked at Harry, and with just that look they agreed to something, they didn't even need their conscious thoughts to communicate with each other after all they had been doing it for six years before they awakened their link. Ok, then Albus, we will agree, I assume that you want Harry and I to just happen on Draco, right before he manages to do any damage besides, perhaps some carefully staged property damage? We agree on one condition, he claims that he never purposefully tried to kill us directly, but...

Dumbledore just nodded, he didn't even need her to complete her thought; he just walked back over to his desk, breaking up the group. Harry closed their link to Dumbledore, as he had been the portal, and turned to Hermione, I'll back you Mione, either way.

I know, Harry, let's go I...we have to know before we can trust him at all, or if he leaves this office alive.
With this last the both of them marched to the front of Dumbledore's desk.

"Draco, look at me." Hermione commanded, as his eyes met hers, "LEGILIMENS". Suddenly a flash of images, flooded hers and though their link, Harry's mind, images of a eight year old Draco, being beaten for playing with some muggle children, of his father torturing someone unknown to either of them, of Draco watching the two of them together on the train, a touch of envy filling his thoughts. With practice gained with Harry, Hermione then influenced the replay, to two particular thoughts. There were two betrayals that Draco could have had a part in that neither of them could forgive, the first was easy, memories of Draco being told by his father that Sirius had made a mistake coming out to the platform at King's Cross, that a Death Eater had recognized him from descriptions given by Wormtail. So he didn't know before hand. The second took a second longer than the first, Draco was standing in some parlor room, similar to the one at Grimmauld Place, but not.

******************Flashback/Draco's Memory***********************

Malfoy Manor
August 1, 2005

Hermione was looking around a well-decorated room though Draco's viewpoint. The room was in a wizarding home, she could tell instantly from the green flames still burning in the fireplace where someone has just recently flooed. As she, and through her Harry, relived the memory, she noticed that only Draco and a familiar girl were in the room. From the sumptuous appointments, the polished marble floors, the dark oak paneling, she assumed that the locale was Malfoy Manor, even though she had never been there.

"You did WHAT?" Draco yelled to Pansy Parkinson, he was pacing back and forth in front of her, where she sat on the couch. He was holding an ice pack to his head that the new house elf had brought him when he came in from his confrontation with Potter and his friends. Damn Gryffindors stick together like a pack, my damn mates run off as soon as they think they might loose. He thought bitterly.

"I sent a note to your father about today, since you didn't have time. Why worry about that anyway, we have the whole house to ourselves since both of your parents are with You-Know-Who, lets have some fun." She finished by getting up from the couch, and after walking saucily over to him; she reached for his belt buckle...

"NO damn it Pansy, do you ever THINK?" Draco snapped at her, backing away hastily.

In a pout, Pansy responded, "Your father would have wanted to know about Potty and his little mudblood bitch, so he could arrange an example." She was confused, the vanity mediwizards might have improved her looks, but her brains were the same.

GAWD, sometimes I'm actually jealous of Potter, at least his girlfriend can add two plus two and actually get four. "Pansy" Draco began with strained patience. "Two things, you tell my father something before I have a chance, and it's bad for me, and two, It may be a large mistake personally for us to inform him anyway, because if we do, he will inform Voldemort, damn it Pansy stop flinching at the name, Voldemort will attack, at the Potter's weakest point which may be her, and that could get us killed you stupid cow."

"But why Draky?" Pansy replied even more confused.

It's like teaching a kneazle to tap dance, just can't be done. "Don't call me that," He replied absently, "Pansy, I know you were there today...did you not notice, Potter's eyes glowing and shit flying around, just what do you think would happen to us, if he thought we were involved with harming a hair on her head. My grandfather may have been an evil bastard, rest his soul, but he taught me at least one thing, you can mess with a man, and the worst you may get is beaten, usually, but you mess with his woman or his kids, you better be sure and kill him first, as he's going to do his damnest to kill you. Potter's a do-gooder at heart, as long as I just go after him or Weasley, he'll just retaliate at my level, his honor would allow nothing else, but I hurt her, all bets are off." Glimpsing her still confused face, Draco, just waved at the fire, "Go home Pansy, I'm hurting too much anyway." With a slightly hurt look, she did as he asked, walking to the fire, muttering her home, and disappearing in a burst of green flame.

**************************Present**********************************

"Finite" Hermione muttered, snapping her and Harry out of Draco's memories. She exchanged a silent look with Harry before she turned back to Malfoy.

"Get what you need Granger?" Draco asked, without the usual sneer on saying her name, just resigned.

"Yeah" Hermione replied to him at the same time snapping a thought out to Harry, It was fucking Pansy, that bitch? "So Malfoy, all those times you accosted us since then?"

"Were on the direct orders of Voldemort though my father, as I said before, I believed that Voldemort had my mother hostage. Would I have picked on you otherwise, yes probably, but only to the normal house vs. house stuff." Draco gave back with a shrug, no excuses just the facts.

Harry glanced over at Hermione, she shrugged, "So what do you want Malfoy? Forgiveness?" Harry asked softly, actually curious to hear the answer.

"No, I'm sure that I've done too much for that, but a chance to redeem my family's honor would be nice. " Draco muttered in reply so softly, that Harry had to lean close to hear the response.

***************************Gryffindor Common Room*********************
One hour later.

A young man in dark robes approached the portrait of the fat lady. It was now very late, or very early depending on your point of reference, she had briefly woken a bit ago to let in the two Head Students, but now she was fast asleep. Instead of a spoken password, or an action to wake her up, the man pulled a shiny object from somewhere in his robes and waved it in her direction. The portrait swung aside silently, the occupant still fast asleep, and he slipped silently into the room. As his robes swung around one could see a coiled serpent emblazoned on his chest.

Draco crossed directly to the stairway leading up to the girls rooms, only pausing long enough to slash great cuts in the couches and chairs as he passed. He once again took out the talisman and waved it over the entrance to the stairs, and started up. In the dimness he saw what appeared to be sweater or something else lying on the steps. As he passed, it he stepped on what seemed to be a fuzzy sleeve.

"MERROW!" Crookshanks bellowed and he froze, just now realizing what he had thought was a random piece of discarded clothing was a familiar, a very pissed off familiar as it stood, all its hair on end, hissing very loudly. Draco immediately turned to escape, before any people came to look in on the very loud, very annoyed cat.

It was too late however, Draco froze as a female voice rang out, "Crookshanks, damn it be quiet, people are sleeping." Hermione muttered, annoyed, as she came down the stairs from her common room. She was dressed for bed; Harry and her had finally gotten to bed, and had already planned on sleeping until noon. Her hair was tousled, and she rubbed her five minutes of sleep from her eyes, to see, "DRACO," she yelled incredulously reaching for her wand. Draco didn't even try to out draw her; he just ran for the door, if he stopped to duel, he was caught even if he beat her. It didn't matter in the end; "IMPEDIMENTIA" she cast and the jinx stopped him in his tracks, only to have him fall from...

"STUPEFY" Harry hurried down the stairs, having heard her shout. About fifteen seconds later, roused Gryffindors came running down their various stairs, like a swarm of angry bees. As Hermione rushed over to check on the stunned Slytherin, Harry glanced around to shortstop this gathering riot. Spotting the Weasleys he made a snap decision, they don't know the truth and he and Hermione couldn't risk telling them here. "Ginny, go get McGonagall, Ron get this herd back to bed." Harry snapped, in an unmistakably commanding voice, and the two prefects sprung into action. Ginny gave a quick wave to show she understood as she ran to the portrait hole. Ron for his part didn't acknowledge his words; he just started sending the rest back to sleep, recruiting Neville to help without asking.

"Alright get your arses back to bed. Nothing to see here." Ron shouted to the crowd running them back up the stairs, though most didn't go easily.

"Its fucking Draco," Pavarti hissed to Lavender as they headed up the stairs, having finally submitted to Neville's badgering. On the other side of the room, Ron finally had to summon one of the Creevy's cameras from his hands, to stop his pictures. Just as the room finally cleared, McGonagall burst in, her face red and out of breath followed closely by Ginny and a visibly, still hurting, Snape.

Harry looked at her, and knowing quite well just how good the Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Extendable Ears were, and that most of the Gryffindors at least, were habitual customers, raised his wand, "Impervious." A flash of light lit the walls and doors for a second and he turned to look back at his house head; who gave him a brisk nod of thanks. Even so, she and Snape probably didn't know the story yet, unless Dumbledore had told them in the last hour, but with the brief chance they had, Harry would bring them up to speed. He trusted McGonagall, and curiously even Snape, now, though he still didn't like him. As McGonagall opened her mouth to start in, Harry quickly beat her to the punch. "Professors, everyone, listen up we don't have much time and we have to carry this out, I assume that Dumbledore hasn't had time to talk to you in the last half hour?" Snape just shook his head, though from the dawning light in his dark eyes, he was rapidly figuring it out. Ron, Ginny and Neville just stood there, at this point, in their tenure at Hogwarts, nothing really surprised them, though Harry's heart was breaking at Ron's utterly exhausted expression, after the surprise mission and the revelation of Mundungus' treason, he probably couldn't take much more. Mione, go help Ron. Hermione glanced at him and then over at Ron, and from her horrified expression she shared his evaluation, she rushed over and began to talk quietly to Ron, her hands on his shoulders, setting him down gently.

McGonagall could not take anymore of this; she had to know just what the hell was going on. In a very annoyed burr, "NO HARRY, I have not spoken to the Headmaster since just after Dinner, toni...no yesterday evening." She finished correcting herself on the fly as she remembered that it was four am.

"Ok quick version then, ma'am, about ten, Dumbledore's trap to catch the traitor was sprung, Mundungus was caught red handed." She raised an eyebrow at this, but said nothing just indicated for him to go on, out of the corner of his eye, Harry caught Ron flinching at the reminder, almost like he used to do when someone said, "Voldemort", though Harry was pretty sure that the reaction was out of rage and not of fear this time. Sorry mate, "Unfortunately this compromised Professor Snape and Dumbledore, myself, Hermione, Lupin, Ron and Luna, went and got him back, but only after he had been beat on for a bit." McGonagall looked over at her fellow Professor and noticed for the first time the half-healed injuries that he was barely hiding. She turned back to Harry, still not understanding, not really, but Harry took that as a sign to finish his explanation. "After Ron and Luna left Dumbledore's office after we got back, Draco knocked and wanted to talk, he explained that he had been commanded to do something he could not stomach, but was threatened with death if he didn't do it. Namely attacking the Gryffindors as they slept, with the help of this to disable the security charms." Harry reached down and picked up the talisman from Draco's sleeping fingers. "Oh, yeah, ENEVERATE" Harry revived Draco, having honestly forgot until just then. "So we staged this..."

"To replace me" Snape finished for him, figuring it out in a flash. "Draco, do you know what you are doing, this may very well get you killed, even if Voldemort, or your father accepts your excuse of being stopped before you could accomplish your goal, they might still kill you as an example of failure, I've seen him do it before." Snape stared at his student, silently imploring him to back down. "And what will you do when he makes you take the mark?"

Before Draco could reply, Harry faced the Slytherin head and dropped any pretence of them not being equals, or even tilted the other way, "Severus, both you and I know quite well, a scar or a mark on the skin, are not marks on the soul, even Riddle can not take that from you." As Harry spoke he brushed hair out of his eyes, an act that coincidentally showed the infamous scar, as if to prove his point.

From the floor Draco looked around at everyone in turn, and resolutely looked at his head of House, but before he could speak, Dumbledore appeared in the room, having once again done the impossible. "I see that you wasted no time, Draco, and that you two kept the illusion going for long enough. Draco, I am proud that you have finally shown the qualities I saw in you when I allowed you to become a prefect two years ago, though I am sorry that it took you so long, and that I will have to strip your status from you permanently this time." Draco just nodded, if that was the worst that ended up happening then so be it.

"Sir," Draco addressed Snape primarily though the rest were here, "I may never be welcome among anyone again, my friends or my foes, but I could not do as was asked of me, even if my mother's life was really on the line, which as I'm sure you know quite well was merely a trick to keep yet another agent in the school." Everyone here could hear the pain in his drawl, and even if they hated him, which most in the room did to a degree at least, they felt a slight pang of sympathy for him.

"Yes, Draco," Severus confirmed softly, "you are correct, while I believe that your mother was being held hostage to you and your father's behavior at first, following the events of last June, both the...acts of your father, since then and the, uh hem, actions of your mother have changed her status from hostage, to one more similar to your cousin's." Snape had paused; at the reminder that Lucius had both killed or help killed Hermione parents, and Vernon, along with so much more. Almost everyone in the room blanched at the implication of Narcissa's new status, but Draco, actually became paler than his hair in response to actually hearing the thought out loud.

Dumbledore spoke to cut off further discussion, "Severus, take Draco back to his dorm, and make sure you act appropriately for his supposed offence, even though any of your actions are now suspect from Riddle's perspective."

"Really Albus, the fact that he wants me dead, might have something to do with that" Snape muttered under his breath, Harry read his lips and smiled slightly, at the remark despite himself, only to immediate drop the smile as Dumbledore continued.

"Everyone please return to bed, I'm sure some of you," looking specifically at the Gryffindor Trio, "would like to sleep." Then specifically to Ron, "Ronald, while I am certain that Harry, Hermione, Luna and the rest of your friends and family will do their best, if you wish I am available if you wish to talk about Mundungus." Ron nodded at the Headmaster, but just kept quiet, not trusting his voice. After McGonagall and Snape left, dragging Draco along for show, with Dumbledore sauntering in their trail, Ron just followed Harry and Hermione up the stairs to the head's common room, where Luna was still probably sleeping, after seventeen years, Ron has finally found someone who is a deeper sleeper than him.


Built by Text2Html

31. Warfare and Reconciliation

A/N All of these characters still belong to Jo Rowling, darnit. Oh BTW this is one of favorite chapters.

Chapter 31: Warfare and Reconciliation

*****************Head Student's Common Room, Hogwarts************

March 9, 2006
7:00 am

"Goddammit, Harry I am not some fucking little girl for you to protect anymore." Hermione snapped furiously as she sat down on the couch with a huff. Over to one side Hedwig and Crookshanks looked at their masters like muggles at a tennis match, both with what if they were human, would be considered perplexed looks.

Harry glared back at her as he followed her into the room, "I am so fucking sorry I blocked that stunner meant for you then, dear." He snapped and paced, throwing furious glances at her every so often.

"I could have stopped it just fine, you prat, anyway it left you open...SHIT!" Hermione got up, went over to the bathroom, and slammed the door. Harry could hear the water running as he threw himself down on the couch she had just left. Crookshanks paced over to him and jumped up in his lap, purring furiously. Harry looked down at the huge kneazle in his lap and laughed bitterly, "Think she will forgive me this time?" Harry asked the cat and after petting him for a moment he got up. Grabbing some clothes from his room, he headed back out the door to go use the prefect's shower.

After a few minutes, Hermione came out of the shower in a towel, her hair dripping. "Harry, HARRY" she called as she looked for him. "Damn prat ran off, well screw him." She went into her room, changed quickly and left the room in a huff.

Twenty minutes after she left, Harry returned, he had been held up by some first years having a problem with DADA coursework, and as their teacher he felt he should try to help if he could. He ran up to the room, "Hermione? Hermione?" He glanced quickly thought the rooms in the suite, but he couldn't find her. "Damn it, well hell, I guess she didn't want to be bothered with waiting to talk to me." Harry stormed, than grabbed his bag of books and left. Hedwig hooted, softly, mournfully. Crookshanks replied with a despondent "MEW."

*************************Great Hall******************************

7:45 am

"Harry, where's Hermione?" Ron asked as Harry met him coming out of the Great Hall. The anger was pouring off him, enough to make even Luna stand up and pay attention.

"Fuck if I know, she's blocking her location," Harry muttered.

Ron glanced over at Luna who was holding his hand. She shrugged at him, with a tiny smile, "Luv, can you make it to class alone, I think I need to talk to Harry." Luna nodded, as she could plainly see the need. Standing on her tiptoes, she gave Ron a quick kiss on the cheek, and waved as she hurried down the hall to her class. Ron's automatic grin faded as he turned back to his friend, his brother by choice. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed Harry's arm and jerked him to the side.

"What" Harry snapped irritably as Ron pulled them into a seldom-used side room. Ron's wand flicked and the door closed and the walls lit white with a silencing charm.

"I believe that is the question I should be asking you, mate." Ron replied with a small, tight smile, which he dropped at Harry's expression. Hermione's usually the one who stands up against him when he's in one of these moods, but I have a feeling that she's the cause of this one way or another. Ron thought bleakly, and then summoning the courage that placed him into Gryffindor in the first place, "Ok what are you two fighting about then?"

Harry eyed him balefully, "What makes you think we had a fight?"

Ron returned his glare evenly, and in a tone dripping with sarcasm, "Ohh let's see, the fact that you two aren't normally more than one, two yards apart at any given moment, the fact that you are so pissed that your eyes are flashing right now..."

"They are?" Harry asked worriedly.

"No, Harry, but you just admitted that you were fighting by the fact that you didn't know and had to check." Ron replied with a small grin, now that he wasn't in danger of being turned into a toad. "And remember mate, who my parents are, I've seen a lot of fights. The only exception is when you and Hermione fight, stuff tends to blow up."

Harry sighed in response, and slid slowly down the wall he had been leaning on. "Bloody Hell...Ron I, I mean...we were training this morning with Moody and Tonks and Lupin. She was looking the other way and one of them fired a curse at her, and I blocked it..."

"And let me guess, you covering her got yourself stunned." Ron immediately deduced the outcome.

"Sort off, I mean Lupin almost got me, but I was able to deflect enough that it only hurt. Anyway as soon as they left, Mione blew up and started yelling me about letting my damn hero complex out again, and how she was a big girl now, and she could have blocked it. And then we get back and she storms off to the bathroom, so I go to use the prefects' and when I get back she's gone no note, no anything. Couldn't even stay around to let me..."

"Harry" Ron interrupted, "How long was it before you got back?"

"Twenty or thirty minutes, I don't know, I started to go right back after my shower, but I got delayed by some of my DADA students, and..." Harry replied, rambling a little.

"Mate, could she have waited a bit then left?" Ron asked placatingly.

"Hell if I know." Harry replied, as a thoughtful look flitted across his eyes.

*********************Great Hall**********************

12:00pm

Potions and Transfiguration had passed slowly with a chill in the air. Harry had finally found Hermione, but she hadn't said a word to him, either mentally or verbally, all morning. Ron was certain that Snape was warring within the entire class; over whether or not say anything. On the one hand, he would have dearly loved to insult Hogwart's "Golden Couple", but on the other hand there was the fact that Harry and Hermione both, along with Ron, Luna, Dumbledore and Lupin had risked everything to literally drag him from Voldemort's dungeon. In the end Snape let his uneasy truce with them stand and let them pass unmolested, verbally or physically, very possibly out of a sense of self-preservation if nothing else.

Draco, also wisely took discretion to be the better part of valor and let them be. It was only a short while ago that he had secretly renounced Riddle, and he kept his undisclosed peace with them as well. The other Slytherins however, weren't as smart. Ron barely kept Hermione from literally squashing Pansy Parkinson like a roach, when she bowed to her baser instincts and commented on the situation. Ron had been told that it had been Pansy, not Draco that triggered the attack on Hermione's parents, and he was still amazed that he had been able to get Hermione out of there before she struck Pansy down. Especially since Harry, who would have normally fulfilled that function, had just hurried ahead before the confrontation had happened.

In Transfiguration it wasn't quite as bad, they did talk at least, but only what was necessary for class. Ron, who was still playing the part of observer, noted with an inner grin that though they might be angry at each other, they still subconsciously showed just how close they really were. Which was amply demonstrated by the fact that both sat as close as they possibly could without actually touching, and that as soon as the other wasn't looking, they would glance over worriedly, a sick look on their faces.

Finally they all sat down for lunch, Hermione at least four seats from Harry instead of her more usual seat, damn near in his lap. Ron caught Ginny and Luna's eyes and flicked his gaze over to Hermione, then back at them, then at the door. Ginny immediately got the hint. With a muttered word to her blond-haired future sister-in-law, she and Luna got up, grabbed Hermione's elbow, and with a brief sound of surprise, led her from the hall. To coincidentally the same room that Ron had questioned Harry in this morning.

Ginny towed Hermione into the room. Luna following closely closed the door and cast silencing and locking charms on it for good measure. "Ok Hermione, what the hell are you two fighting about?" Ginny asked; a little annoyed with her friend, or rather de facto siblings, now.

"You know I could squash you two like bugs, maybe turn you to newts..." Ginny didn't look impressed, and Luna, Luna was probably looking for Nargles in her hair or something as she looked back at Hermione dreamily. The two sixth year Gryffindors did their house proud as they mutely stared down the girl whom on any given day was possibly one of the three most powerful entities in the school. Finally Hermione sighed, "Damn Harry, he...he tried to do his damn protect, Mione act this morning in training and I called him on it." Hermione replied as she glared down at her feet.

"So let me get his straight, Hermione" Ginny replied, she bit her lip to keep from laughing. "The man, who truly loves you more than life itself, defended you, probably at his detriment, and you are mad at him for it."

"Yes..." Hermione snapped, then took a deep breath, "No, I mean I was, I'm not a little girl, Gin, and he..."

"Do I even need to explain his side" Luna put in languorously from the side.

"No dammit, it's just that I was going to apologize, I mean I stomped off to the shower, but I came out, I was going to apologize, but he was gone, the prat, he didn't even stay long enough for an apology, see if he gets one now." Hermione crossed her arms and glared first at Luna, then at Ginny.

"Did you wait anytime at all, maybe he had to go somewhere, it does happen Hermione?" Ginny asked.

"No...not really" Hermione replied in a thoughtful tone.

Ginny's brown eyes twinkled, "then get your arse in there and talk, or think or whatever you two do, to him. I really don't want to waste the remainder of the day, with you two fighting, I mean I already spend enough time with my or rather our parents, I don't need to be reminded of them at school."

Hermione looked thoughtful for a long instant then without a word to the other girls swept out of the door, overriding Luna's locking charm with a wave of her hand to Ginny's amusement and Luna's astonishment. She strode purposefully down the length of the Gryffindor table, and stopped behind Ron who was sitting next to Harry discussing an upcoming Quiddich practice. "Ronald, move." She snapped in a tone that brooked no argument. Ron got up and moved, and Hermione immediately dropped into his seat, determinately looking straight forward, not at Harry.

At the staff table McGonagall looked down at the drama at her house's table. She too had noticed their behavior this morning in class, and that they had started the lunch apart. Damn they really are like James and Lily. She thought for the thousandth time, as she was reminded forcefully of the times that pair had fought. At least they both have learned control.

Harry glanced over at her from the corner of his eye, he couldn't take it anymore, I'm sorry Hermione; I'm an arse.

Eyes still not meeting his, No I am Harry

Are we really going to argue about who is more an arse...I'll accept the blame, I can't take this even for just this morning. I...

No, Harry I came out and you were gone and I thought...
She trailed off in her thoughts, as she noticed the eyes of the rest of the Gryffindors and she suspected, without turning around, several staff members on them.

Harry immediately realized her thoughts; we could apparate out of here.

We're not supposed to be able to do that remember? Remember no one can do that in Hogwarts?
Hermione replied humorously, wistfully wishing they could be allowed to be seen doing that very thing.

They both continued the silent act, not looking at each other though both really wanted to. I'm sorry, Mione I was going to apologize when I got back from the shower, but I went to the prefects bath since you were in ours and in no mood for company, and I got held up, and I...

A single soft chuckle escaped her lips, causing the Gryffindors to look up hopefully, I got out of the shower, and you were gone, and I stomped off without waiting for you to come back, I was mad when I came out and you were gone.

Screw this... Mione, I love you, I'm a prat forgive me please...

I do Harry; I just don't want you get hurt protecting me...

If they want a show,
Harry thought to her as he turned his head to finally meet her eyes, Merlin, I've missed your eyes all morning.

"Not as much as I've missed yours love," Hermione replied verbally, though in a whisper so soft only he could hear it.

Harry finally said his first words out loud of the whole conversation, "orchideus." A beautiful bouquet appeared in his hand and almost shyly, he handed it to her. She responded not with words, but with a fist knotted in his hair as she pulled his lips to hers, to the accompaniment of raucous applause from the Gryffindor onlookers. She pulled away slowly, both of them gasping for breath, each with a tiny little smile. Dropping her head to his shoulder, they sat there like that for the rest of the lunch. After almost another twenty minutes of comfortable silcence between them, the bell rang and Harry started to get up only to stop at a look from his other half. He sat there, waiting, as the rest of the school, dutifully filled off for afternoon classes.

Hermione looked at him questioningly, a mischievous glint in her eyes. She glanced around at the rapidly empting Great Hall. Harry, She sent with a thought.

Yeah, Mione?

Do you have your cloak and the map?

Sure, in my bag. Why?
Harry replied in his thoughts, wondering where this would lead, getting there just as she uttered the answer.

"We're skipping class this afternoon" Hermione said with a huge grin as she noticed that they were more or less alone. Rising slowly, methodically, she stretched, which did highly interesting things to the uniform shirt she was wearing, then with a strength that would have surprised the uninitiated, pulled him to his feet to meet his lips once again.

Harry pulled apart just enough to reach back into his bag, and with a very practiced moment, and after verifying that no one else remained, swept the invisibility cloak over them both. "Where to Mione?" Harry whispered to her, as they stood invisibly pressed against each other in the middle of the Great Hall, and then bit back a small moan as she moved, just a bit, against him.

Hermione giggled, as she felt something against her hip, "I don't know, check the map?" And moved a bit more.

"Damn it, I will have to walk dear" Harry growled throatily, and pulled the Marauder's Map shakily from his pocket. "I...I really solemnly swear that I am definitely up to no good." Harry managed through the distraction, and the lack of blood flow to his brain.

As the map filled in, "up anyway," Hermione whispered with another giggle. She glanced down at the map in his hands, with the look that Harry privately found irresistible, the one she got when she was plotting something. "Snape's office? Or McGonagall's?" Her scheming was momentarily interrupted, as she felt fingers start to slide up her outer thighs under her uniform skirt, "Or right here." She touched her stomach with her wand, "inconceivous."

"Or right here," Harry agreed, "Silencio". Careful not to pull the cloak off of the two of them, he lowered her to the floor, as he felt her fingers near his belt buckle. He silently returned the favor, hooking his thumbs under the waistband of her knickers, and sliding them down and off, with a movement almost as practiced as that with the cloak. Harry gave out a little moan as fingers reached into his trousers and squeezed gently. Taking him in her hand she guided him, gently to and into her.

"GOD" Hermione moaned as he slipped home then began to move in time to her. Without a conscious effort or decision, their minds, thoughts, feelings became one. Harry's hands slipped up under the lip of her shirt and slipped her bra out of the way, his thumbs stroking in gentle circles in time with his hips. With a brush of his lips against hers, his tongue asked for entry, and received it agreeably, Neither of them said a thing, they were way too far gone for that, though if Harry could have spoken, he would have gasped in pleasure at the little growling, purring sounds coming from his mate.

Each felt a building pressure, and their hearts started hammering in time with each other, as each felt not only the reaction of their own bodies, but that of their lover though their shared link. With their hearts beating as one, they started rocking together, faster, faster, faster...Finally they reached the edge together, and with a final thrust, they fell over the precipice as one, shuddering and panting, even their breathing in time with one another, "OOOHHH GOD!"

They collapsed together, Harry rolling onto his side so as to not lie on top of her. With a twinkle in her eye, Hermione looked at him, her head propped up on her elbow. "Love, we really don't have to have a fight to make an excuse for this."

"I was just thinking the same thing" Harry replied bending his neck forward a few inches to kiss her forehead tenderly. "Hermione" Harry said in a suddenly serious tone.

"Yes?"

"I love you," Harry replied with all the feeling he could muster.

"I know, me too," Hermione replied as she kissed his lips softly, then with a smirk worthy of any of the original Marauders, "Snape's Office now?" as she picked up the map from where it had fallen next to them, studying it just to make sure.

"Why not" Harry replied, as they started more or less getting dressed, still under the cloak. "Now aren't you glad we learned how to control that?"

"Yeah, otherwise Dumbledore might have a few more shattered tables to deal with." Hermione giggled as she responded, smoothing down her skirt.

*******************Charms #1*********************

1:15pm

"Ron, what happened to Harry and Hermione?" Pavarti asked in a sidelong whisper from the table one over from the one he and Neville were sharing. The Gryffindors were at their normal seats near the rear of the class. A seating arrangement that normally annoyed Hermione, but since she wasn't here after all...anyway when she was here, it didn't matter, they usually had already covered the subject being taught, either in DA or in training, or just because Hermione had gotten bored and read two or three books ahead, a situation just like today's for the teens. At the front of the class Professor Flitwick was going over delaying charms, in combination with other charms to put off a spell's activation. As all the DA members had long since learned that trick from Harry in conjunction with laying traps for Death Eaters, they really didn't have to pay attention.

Ron shrugged, and looked down at his watch, still forty-five minutes of this. Ron groaned as he looked at his watch, and then replied to Pavarti. "I don't know they didn't look sick." He replied though he did have his suspicions.

Seamus on the other side of Pavarti and Lavender decided to voice them for him, "Probably having make up sex. It's even better than normal sex."

"Just how do you know, Finnegan?" Lavender snapped in response, quietly, she was still angry with Seamus, over something and had been since the Valentine's Ball.

"Why are you offering?" The Irish wizard replied with a suggestive leer.

"You couldn't handle her Seamus." Pavarti put in and everyone but Seamus laughed. At the commotion Flitwick, finally noticed that none of the seventh year Gryffindors were actually paying attention to his lecture.

"What is so funny Mr. Weasley?" Flitwick squeaked from on top of his desk.

His ears turning red, Ron carefully looked down at his desk, "nothing sir."

***************Headmaster's office************************

"Hello, Indy, what brings you to these shores?" Albus Dumbledore said to the wizard in the fedora and the leather bomber jacket who had just knocked on his door. "I thought that you were still in Egypt."

"Well, Albus, I was, but that dig was pretty well tapped out, and there wasn't much there anyway. It was just another of those I go on to pretend I'm not a wizard anyway, just some grad students, you know how it is at a Muggle university; I'm using the Henry right now anyway, as a cover name. Its kind of hard to explain when you look half as old as you should be under the proper name." The wizard finished his explanation in a decidedly Midwestern American accent, and collapsed into to one of the armchairs facing Dumbledore's desk. He glanced around at the portraits and noticed, barely suppressing a laugh that the more "respectable" former headmasters and headmistresses were glaring at him. "Got anything to drink around here?"

Dumbledore replied with a twinkle sparkling in his eye, "Now I would never have such a thing around here, this is a school after all, Indy." He waved his hand over the desk and two shot glasses, each half filled with firewhiskey, appeared along with a decanter similarly filled.

"Well bottoms up" Indy took the glass and hammered the shot, Dumbledore repeated his action. He gestured toward one of the portraits with his glass, "Albus, it looks like one of your predecessors doesn't like American mudblood filth dirtying your chairs." Though he used the hated epithet, his tone was light.

"Don't worry about Marguerite, she hates everyone, she's still mad that my Head Girl threatened to incinerate her portrait the next time she commented on her skirt length." Dumbledore commented wryly as Holcomb glared at them.

"And you let a student, get away with insulting a former Headmistress? The shame Albus" Indy chuckled at his own question.

"Well she is dating my great-great-great-grandson." Dumbledore replied with a small smile, then with a sigh of getting to business, "As much as I like reminiscing old friend, what brings you here, if it were a social call, you would have probably flooed ahead first."

"Well I was planning on stopping by later this week, but something came up. You remember that dig I did in '74 when I found that fragment of Rowena's diary?" Indy asked, Dumbledore nodded, and he continued. "Well I reopened it the other day, and we found something else in an area we hadn't checked yet, it looks like the site may have been the old records storage for Hogwarts at some time, here." Jones dug inside his jacket and removed a cardboard tube. He withdrew an ancient parchment from the tube and carefully laid it on Dumbledore's desk. "The old English portion is understandable but the Runes seem to tell the story, and I'm afraid that my ancient Egyptian is much better than my Celtic. What do you make of it?" He pointed at the serpent decorating the top.

Dumbledore frowned slightly as he recognized the emblem of Slytherin, it was after all one of the four on his sword, and one a fourth of his students wore every day. Dumbledore pulled a piece of blank parchment and a quill from his desk and began taking notes. After about fifteen minutes, in which the silence was only broken by the sound of Indy refilling his glass and the soft sound of Fawkes trilling, he lay his quill down. Dumbledore closed his eyes slowly and sat like that for a long minute. He opened his eyes, poured himself another shot, and took a long sip. He then finally spoke, "You know what this means?" Dumbledore said, a touch of fright in his voice.

"I know what I think it says, but like I said earlier, my Runes stink." Indy shrugged, though he knew he was right, he could tell from Dumbledore's face.

"Let me have one other person look at this, just to be sure." Dumbledore quickly wrote a note on a scrap of parchment and held it out. Fawkes hopped over, grabbed it in his golden beak and vanished.

"Who?"

"You know that Head Girl I mentioned?"

*********************Hogwart's Dungeon, Outside Snape's office***************

"That was fun," Hermione laughed at Harry's returning leer, as she grabbed his arm and swung it merrily. They were without the invisibility cloak, though in a much more proper state of dress than an hour ago, or even five minutes ago.

"Do you think Snape will think something is up when he notices all of his papers on the floor?" Harry replied thoughtfully, his eyes glinting happily.

"HARRY" She snapped, laughter choking her voice, "He'll assume...."

"I'm kidding, Hermione, I replaced all of them, as we left, no trace, just like Sirius taught us." A cloud passed their eyes at that unthinking statement, but it didn't last, their euphoria was too strong. "Anyway should we go to Creatures, or...." Harry broke off with a suggestive look that caused a little weakness in her stride.

"We better not, it is Hagrid after all, and he had the afternoon session special to show something new." She replied with a touch of annoyance, mixed with a sense of lost hope at missing Hagrid's new find But before she could go on, a brief flash of fire erupted above their heads, gone as quick as it came, and a note accompanied by a single red feather floated down. "Think we are in trouble, love?" Hermione muttered as she pocketed the feather and opened the note.

Hermione,

Please come to my office as soon as you can. If Harry is with you, have him stay in class. If you would, make sure you are not seen coming here, just in case all of the eyes in the walls have not been removed.

Albus Dumbledore.

"Looks like I get to go to class by myself," Harry replied from were he had read the note over her shoulder.

"Looks like" Hermione replied as she bent her neck slightly and kissed him on the cheek. "See you later, dear" Hermione silently vanished from in front of his eyes.

"No magic in the halls, dear, I'll have to deduct points" Harry laughed to himself at his own joke and headed down the corridor, towards the main floor and out. Maybe he could visit with Hagrid before class, he sure wasn't going to go to the last half-hour of charms.

************************Headmaster's Office*************************

"You wanted to see me sir?" Hermione asked quietly from behind Indy's chair, having apparated in, just like Dumbledore, without a sound.

"CRAP" Indy jumped in his chair at the sound of her soft soprano, spinning and going for a wand, only to find Hermione's already pointed between his eyes, the tip already glowing a sullen red. He raised his hands slowly.

"Please Miss Granger," Dumbledore said, Hermione nodded and put away her wand. Dumbledore hid his face behind his hands as he fought back a laugh, Serves Indy right, going for his wand, Harry or Ron probably would have hexed him.

"Sorry" Hermione muttered, a little embarrassed at the reaction that was instinctive after almost seven years in the Wizarding world.

"No matter, Hermione Granger meet Dr. Henry Jones, Jr." Dumbledore indicated the American wizard with a wave, and on hearing the name, Hermione's eyes lit up.

"It's good to meet you sir, your paper on the ancient wizards of Central America was particularly enjoyable, the part on the use of blood magic and its comparison to modern-day dark arts..." Hermione gushed, only to be cut off by a wave from Dumbledore.

"Call me Indy, can I call you Hermione? Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale right? I'm sorry about going for my wand, I've been a little jumpy lately" Hermione nodded silently, she knew that feeling well. Indy turned to Dumbledore and smiled, "Albus I don't quite remember your students having such a knowledge of wizard archeology, or being quite that fast on the draw." He finished with a raised eyebrow.

"Circumstances Indy, you know how it is" Dumbledore replied with a wave, "Hermione please come over here, I would like you to check my translation on something Dr. Jones has brought. Translate it and we'll compare results."

Hermione nodded and walked over behind his desk. She was immediately intrigued by the parchment, and started scribbling on a blank parchment that Dumbledore had placed on his desk without a word. With a glance she thanked him and read and scribbled on. Once again silence reigned, except for the scratching of her quill on the paper. As she went through the text, she turned gradually paler, and whispered something to herself, as if trying to verify a fact to herself that she did not quite believe.

"Let me compare this to something, sir, just to verify its authenticity." Hermione said quietly, and with Dumbledore's nod, "APPERO SWORD". Indy had his second chance to jump as the Sword of Ravenclaw apparated the quarter mile or so from her and Harry's suite to her hand. She didn't draw it however; she just carefully copied down the Runes on the guard of the sword. She had remembered them of course, but she wanted, needed to make sure. "Envesco" The sword vanished again, and she glanced over at the top of Dumbledore's parchment where identical runes where written. "I assume that you got the runes from the Headmaster's sword?" Hermione asked and she got a slow nod. "That's what I was afraid of, since we seem to have the same translation. Though I can't seem to translate the last bit, the rune keys don't seem correct."

Indy looked intrigued at the pair, and asked, "I brought this to Dumbledore's attention because it seems to authenticate legends of the old Chamber. About how the chamber would bar and remove non-pure bloods from the school." But his blood grew cold at the grim headshake of the two.

"Hermione would you like to explain," Hermione looked grim, and she glanced uncharacteristically at the firewhiskey on Dumbledore's desk, Dumbledore snorted and poured her a shot, "you're of age in more ways than one dear" He said quietly as he slid it over.

Hermione picked up the shot and slammed it, after letting the liquor settle her nerves for a second, "you were close, Dr Jones, what you said matches what is in even the restricted History of Hogwarts. However, this parchment is a security parchment, or its ancient equivalent. You have to have the runes on one of the Founder's swords to properly translate the document. It says: The Chamber of Secrets holds the power to purify the world. Those of blood impure or without the touch of magic will not survive its true awakening. The guardian of the chamber, I assume it means the Basilisk, protects against the impure within, while the chamber will protect from without. The Sword of the Heir, will unlock the power, and cleansing fire will engulf those who are not worthy."

Hermione paused, the translation finished, and turned to Dumbledore, as if Jones were not in the room at all, "This has to be Riddle's end game, he didn't have the Sword of Slytherin in the fifties when he was here, and Ginny sure didn't have it five years ago. He'll attack and try to activate the Chamber. I do wish I knew the last little bit." Hermione finished with horror in her eyes, God, I wish Harry were here, I need a hug right now. Hermione thought almost desperately, at which she got a worried thought in return from the direction of Hagrid's hut, it's ok Love. She felt Harry calm down, as she replied.

"I assume that you were just talking to Harry?" Dumbledore said with a grin that was unsuited to the topic, but was suited to other things, not under discussion. Hermione nodded silently, "Good, have him come here, and have him go ahead and bring Ron too, I think we may need to plan something around this discussion"

Hermione nodded again, and walked to the window overlooking Hagrid's hut where she could see many little black dots, seemingly running from something, belching fire, or something else noxious at them. Harry get up to Dumbledore's office and bring Ron. Hermione thought at Harry as she could see the little black ant sized person representing him pause his running out by Hagrid's hut.

She saw Harry duck something, and "heard" Be right there. She saw tiny Harry reach out and grab his fire haired friend and head off behind some bushes and vanish. He appeared behind her in the next instant.

"What's up Mione" Harry asked as he and Ron brushed something off their robes.

Ice Harry?

"Hagrid found out his Wyvern could shoot ice." Harry replied verbally to her silent question. "Not that I mind terribly having an excuse to leave, we get enough things shot at us, but..."

Hermione wordlessly thrust her copy of the translation under his nose, and Harry tilted it so Ron could see her neatly scripted translation too. After they both had read it, "So I didn't end the Chamber's threat, and Godric and Rowena were right a thousand years ago."

"It appears so, Harry" Dumbledore said sadly.

"Wait I'm not so caught up on my recent events in this country," Indy put in with a confused look. He looked around at the people in the room, but no one looked as if they wanted to fill him in, not from their expressions anyway.

Dumbledore relented however, "How long have you been out of touch, Indy?"

"I've been in Egypt for the last eight years, or in the Himalayas, I'm not up on current events in the Wizarding world or the muggle for that matter, except to know I should be careful in the Middle East, and back home we've been distracted somewhat for the last few years anyway." He replied evenly.

"Henry, Riddle has returned," Dumbledore paused at his quiet exclamation, surprised that anyone in the Wizarding world didn't know that perilous fact. "Harry killed the basilisk guarding the Chamber almost five years ago, in one of Tom's first attempts to regain power since his return. There have been...difficulties since, you noticed the rebuilding in Hogsmeade?" Indy nodded, he hadn't really thought about it. "Riddle's forces almost destroyed it last June, they were stopped in great part by the actions of the three you see here."

Sudden realization flashed across Indy's face, "Wait you're Harry Potter?"

"Yeah" Harry muttered, "That would be me." He shook his head slightly and the scar appeared for a second from under his messy mop of hair, that he grew longish to help cover it. Uncomfortably he looked at Dumbledore, "If you are done with us sir, Ron, Hermione and I will get together with Mad-Eye and Remus about this." Dumbledore nodded and the three quietly left, by the door this time.

The door closed with a slight thump as the three wizards left, and Dumbledore turned to his guest with a slight frown. "Harry is a bit sensitive about his fame, as are you Indy."
The archeologist nodded, he knew what it was like to have fame thrust upon you unwittingly.


A/N Ok slowly we start to reveal the endgame...and oh yeah, I hope ya'll like the resolution to their fight. Next Chapter H/Hr visit Harry Parents....


Built by Text2Html

32. Promices

A/N: Ok normally I don't put an AN at the start of the chapter, but...This chapter was originally a one-shot set in this universe. It probably contains a great deal of review for those of you who have read B1-5 and Darkness and first half of Lions. I left it in as it does seem to fit. So with that.....Oh yeah, JKR owns everything except my pitiful little plot.


Chapter 32: Promises
**********************Godric's Hollow, Wales****************************

March 11, 2006

On a verdant green hill, overlooking a white house next to a bubbling brook, a figure stood, his head bent. The day was sunny and bright, but the vicious March winds whipped at his jet-black cloak, snapping it like the wings of a giant bird trying to take flight. The hood was down on his cloak, allowing the wind to blow his already untamable hair to new heights of unkemptness, only matched in degree by a full speed run on a firebolt. The cloak blew sideways for an instant, to reveal the hilt of a sword, and a wand holstered down one leg. Without saying a word, the young man radiated an air of tiredness, of utter weariness.

Wordlessly Harry sunk down on the neatly kempt green grass, directly in front of two stark, bone-white, marble gravestones. Directly behind the two markers, a jet black, granite statue of a phoenix in flight with a lion at its feet stood looming over the graves. A large beech tree sat to one side, shading the graves. For several long minutes, he sat staring at the headstones, not saying a word. With a slightly trembling hand, Harry reached out and traced the letters, Lily, with a forefinger. Behind him, quiet as a ghost, another black-cloaked figure suddenly appeared without a sound to mark her passage.

Hermione swept her hood back from her head. She stood, biting her lip, as Harry reached out and reverently touched the inlayed image of a stag on the stone on Lily's right. With a great sigh, he settled back on his heels and sat there looking for another minute, just absorbing. "Mum...Dad, I'm sorry I haven't been by here to visit. No one told me where you were...I know that it's not an excuse...anyway, I guess you know that Riddle sorta wants me dead...but he's not going to win...not this time. You see there's this girl, yeah, I know mum but you'd like her. She's as smart as you, and definitely too good for me. She's already given me too much, far too damn much. Just like Sirius did, dad...I am so sorry dad, I buggered the pooch dad, I should have remembered the mirror, or hell I should have trusted Snape, yeah Snape can you believe it. He turned out to be a good guy, more or less, after all. At least he probably doesn't hate me as much as Voldemort, anyway." Harry paused as a familiar presence slid in beside him, silently wiping tears from her eyes. Hermione leaned her head against his shoulder, kissing his cheek as she settled in. Harry smiled wryly, "And you see dad, mum, she has this annoying tendency to follow me about..." Hermione gave a snort. "Anyway, since you haven't seen me in a while, I guess I'll fill you in, help me Mione?"

"Sure Harry" Hermione replied softly as a tear slid down her cheek.

Harry slid back onto the ground, and leaned his back against the trunk of the tree. Hermione nestled into his arms, and together they began the story. "You see, mum, dad" Harry began slowly, choking up a bit, "After you helped stop Riddle, he vanished. Hagrid showed up and took me to meet Dumbledore, and he left me with Petunia, mum, dad...It was hell, they told me you died in car accident, like a bloody car accident could have gotten you two. O' Hagrid went spare, when he found out that was the excuse Vernon had been trying to pawn off. Hagrid took me away to this place, where I...belong, Then I meet Mione and Ron on the train, oh, I forgot, mum, dad this is Hermione, she's a muggle-born mum, just like you and better than any of the other wizards or witches her age, or any one else for that matter."

"HARRY..." Hermione laughed, "I'm pleased to finally meet you James, Lily...and Harry's too modest, he's much greater a wizard than me..."

"She's the one that's too modest mum, but anyway, that first year was weird, I became the starting seeker for Gryffindor that first year..."

"And you and Ron rescued me from that mountain troll" Hermione put in with slightly rolled eyes as she snuggled closer, and Harry choked out a small chuckle.

"Yeah, there was that...it ended up being the first sign that Voldemort was coming back. He had taken over our DADA professor, Quirrell, and he was looking for the sorcerer's stone, so he could get his body back. Ron and Hermione got me through the traps the Professor's had set..."

"I remember that you got through a few of those on your own, Love, and I think it was you who stopped Voldemort." Hermione interrupted. "Anyway we went into the next year, and Harry had to be rescued from the Dursleys by Ron and the twins. Lucius Malfoy gave Ginny a diary that Riddle had enchanted somehow, and he possessed her with it. He used her to open the chamber and let out the basilisk...and stupid me, I got petrified, and Harry and Ron had to go and save the day...well Harry did anyway."

"Ron was there, Hermione"

"I know Harry, but you were the one that rescued Ginny, killed the basilisk and stopped Riddle again. HARRY..." Hermione chuckled a bit, though it was forced just a tad.

"And then came third year..." Harry smiled bleakly, "I sort of blew up Aunt Marge, you know Vernon's sister, so I ran away, and I thought the Ministry was going to snap my wand. When I got to Diagon Alley I found out that Fudge got me off as he wanted to use my name, and because, it was just then that Sirius escaped from Azkaban. And then we met Remus..."

"Yeah, it was an introduction worthy of a Marauder alright," Hermione rolled her eyes, "we couldn't find an empty compartment on the train, so we got into a compartment with some bum, who was sleeping one off. Then, because it's Harry, the train gets boarded by Dementors, and Lupin suddenly wakes up and fights them off."

"That was a weird year, Lupin taught me how to do a patronus and everyone thought Sirius was the murderer that he had been accused of, and then Hermione and Ron and I finally cornered him in the Shrieking Shack to find out that Peter had been the traitor and had been hiding as the Weasley family rat for since Voldemort was driven off." He paused and squeezed Hermione tighter; leaning forward he rested his head on her shoulder. "Then every thing went wrong, and we had to use Mione's time turner to go back and fix it. I used the patronus to fight off the Dementors from killing Sirius and me in the past, and then Mione and I used Buckbeak, he's a hippogriff, to free Sirius from the tower. Ohh and she loves to fly now..." Harry whispered conspiratorially, Hermione playfully slapped him on the leg in response.

"And then we get to our fourth year." Hermione sighed a bit, a mix of contentment, and annoyance at some of the memories. "We went to the Quiddich World Cup, and while there the Death Eaters rioted and had some fun. Someone set off the death mark above the place, and Harry got blamed...of course. We went back to school, to find out that they have decided to have the Tri-Wizard tournament again. They put up an age limit, though, which Harry and I couldn't cross."

"Hermione?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow, "you thought about trying?"

"Uh, hmm" Hermione cleared her throat a bit nervously, "Honestly Harry...I was just researching, anyway...they draw for the champions and instead of stopping at three, the goblet spits out a fourth name. Harry. Harry of course didn't put his name in the goblet, but someone else did. Harry ended up going into the finals tied with Cedric, and just as they got to the end they tied and vanish."

"There was more than that that year, Hermione, I mean that was the year that, um, anyway you believed in me that whole year, even Ron didn't." With that Hermione turned slightly and they shared a melancholy kiss. With a slight groan, "And that's where it all started to go wrong...when Cedric and I grabbed the trophy to tie for the win, it was a portkey that took us to a graveyard, where Voldemort came back...I, uhhh"

"Harry fought his way out, and got back and warned everyone that Voldemort was back. Dumbledore immediately believed him, of course, but Fudge didn't. Harry went back to the castle with Professor Moody only to find out that Barty Crouch, Jr. had replaced Mad-Eye with a polyjuice potion. He was a good teacher though" Hermione mused, "But Fudge...almost lost the war for us as he used everything he had to attack Harry in the press and other places so as to keep his power." Hermione related the last with venom laden in her tone.

"Fudge sicc'ed Umbridge on us, first she sent Dementors after me at Privet Drive, then when I defended myself and Dudley, they tried to snap my wand. But Dumbledore got me off. But then we went back to school, and found out that Umbridge has connived the Minister to make her DADA professor. She was useless, except for the torture; she was ok at that, not up to Death Eater level, but close. I was stupid that year..." Hermione let out a small sound of annoyance, but didn't comment, as Harry continued. "I was mad about being left in the dark, and Dumbledore didn't help manners by not meeting with me, or even looking at me. I got banned from Quiddich that year, too, dad. Sorry, I sort of got in a fight with Malfoy over you mum. Told you I was stupid. I was so stupid that I eventually got Sirius killed dad. God I'm sorry, but I guess you already know that. I let Voldemort trick me...I went to the Ministry, to save him...only to end up getting him killed and Mione and Ron and a whole bunch of others hurt..."

"No Harry, you know better...." Hermione interrupted again, and behind her back Harry rolled his eyes. "No, James, Lily it was all of our faults, not just Harry's, we all fell for it. I should have known better, I did try to convince Harry not to go, I ended up compromising by helping him to sneak in to Umbridge's office to try to contact Sirius, but Kreacher lied and said he was already gone to the Ministry. And then Umbridge caught us warning him, and I convinced Umbridge that her fears were real and Dumbledore had us up to something. We led her to the Forbidden Forest and we escaped with the reluctant help of the centaurs. I forgot to mention, she HATES all half-humans. She had also tried to sack Hagrid that year, but he got away, and she and several others stunned McGonagall, and sent her to St. Mungo's, that's why we had to sneak in to try to contact Sirius. But after we thought Voldemort really did have Sirius, we all went, Harry tried to keep us away, of course, but I, umm, convinced him. We got there, and we were ambushed by Death Eaters, and we fought our way out and Harry, Harry was amazing, I screwed up and got cursed."

"No I messed up and got you hurt, Love." Harry replied, and then grunted as she elbowed him in the ribs. "Mione went down, and I damn near lost it. I uhh thought she was dead until Neville told me she was alive. Neville's is Frank and Alice's son. They are in St. Mungo's now, Bellatrix tortured them into insanity about a year after you guys left. I ended up against Voldemort, but Dumbledore came in and saved me. He then finally told me of the prophecy that I had to kill Voldemort or die myself. That summer was bad, I was alone at the Dursleys, and I had nightmares every night, and no one to talk to. Finally Dumbledore let me go back to Grimmauld place. It was hard without Sirius, but it was better than with the muggles, anyway."

"Harry let me know about the prophecy then," Hermione put in, softly. "Dumbledore finally began, what he should have done years ago, and started training Harry, and later me and the rest of us to fight. Of course we had already started training ourselves last year at school, as Umbridge didn't want to let us learn combat in class, the Ministry, that is Fudge, was afraid of Dumbledore using us. Harry taught us..."

"It was your idea, Mione..." Harry grinned slightly, then went on sadly. "Voldemort started attacking randomly that year...he sprung the Death Eaters we had captured at the Ministry, with the help of the Dementors, and attacked Muggles and wizards...eventually a bunch of Dementors and Death Eaters caught Hermione in an mall at Christmas, she had gone home for the holidays, and she fought her way out. Dumbledore sent her and her parents to the Burrow, where I was staying with the Weasleys and I about died when she showed up, hurt and on the run. And then her dad got pissed about just how dangerous it was to be around me."

"Honestly Harry, I attract almost as much trouble on my own" Hermione replied, and with a sad smirk, picked up the story, "I yelled at my dad, and stomped off and only Harry followed me. And there in the woods, we both, separately, finally realized that we loved each other, though we were still too chicken to let each other know. We each didn't think that the other returned the feelings. We both became animagi while we were there, Ron had made up the potion to escape a failing grade in Snape's class. Harry's a lion and I'm an eagle. Anyway we got back to school, and Ron came up with the idea of launching a prank war, and Harry got me to go along...told you I was in love with him, the git."

"Don't let her fool you, she pulled off almost the biggest prank single-handedly, she transfigured all the Slytherins' uniforms to change into Gryffindor colors in the middle of breakfast, gave Snape fits. We also got Lupin, dad, you would have loved it, I snuck into his room at Hogwarts with the cloak and transfigured his bed into a swimming pool, and he and Tonks fell in. I forgot to tell you, Lupin is dating Tonks, she's like ten years younger, but they seem happy. The rest of last year...was complicated. Someone tried to kill Hermione and Ron to get to me, and they capped it off with trying to knock her off the stands during the Slytherin game." Harry tightened his grip as the memory of Hermione falling from the stands passed his inner eye.

"After that game, it was pretty quiet around Hogwarts." Hermione expounded softly, "but there were other things afoot, most of all Ron had decided he wanted to go out with me...I mean I love him, he's my brother, now, but he wasn't Harry, Lily. It was like Sirius asking you out. And off course Harry missed it, totally."

"Bullocks, I knew you were upset, and you're the one who wouldn't tell me what was wrong." Harry replied pointedly. Hermione sighed and nodded, and Harry let out a tiny chuckle. "See, mum, dad, I know she loves me, if it had been Ron saying that she never would have admitted it." Hermione rolled her eyes but didn't disagree, Harry just leaned forward slightly and kissed the side of her hair over her ear. "Anyway a week later, Dumbledore announced this surprise Hogsmeade trip, he even allowed the first and second years to go for like the first time in a hundred years. It all fell apart, Voldemort attacked the town in force, probably as a means of distraction so they could grab Trelwany to hear the prophesy, but it may have very well been an attack on the students too. Except for the Slytherins of course, we are after all the biggest single group of supporters of Dumbledore. We still don't know if he got the prophesy or not, when they dropped Trelwany at Hogwarts, Riddle destroyed her mind while he was trying to get it. They attacked, and we led the rest of the DA in fighting them. We lost a few in the fighting and about ten of the first and second years when the dragons attacked. In the end I was trapped in a building and Mione fought her way in and saved me."

"No Harry, we saved each other..." She turned and stared, green meeting brown, until he nodded, she nodded in reply and tuned back, "We finally admitted what we felt, there in that burning building, and we got out, only to have Dumbledore drop the bombshell that we are the heirs of Hogwarts." Hermione muttered something under her breath then, that caused Harry to smile. "After that battle, it only got worse. Ron caught Harry and I kissing, honestly our first real kiss and the git exploded, I mean he could have had the decency to wait, Honestly." Hermione growled.

"Yeah, he could have love," Harry, replied placatingly. "Ron didn't talk to us the whole train ride home, we all had to patrol the whole ride just in case, something happened, it didn't of course. Finally we got to King's Cross, and we had to go apart for a month while I served my sentence at the Dursleys. After we said goodbye, I met up with the Dursleys, and as I'm standing there I spotted Hermione getting coffee. While I'm not looking, Dudley punches me as hard as he can right in the stomach, and the Dursleys got an introduction to what a truly pissed off Heir can do. I glanced up from the floor when I felt her magic skyrocket, and saw her walking towards me, eyes glowing, glass exploding as she walked, must have looked like the ruddy apocalypse to the muggles. Mione raised her hand and levitated the Dursleys, and..." Harry looked slightly perplexed, "Just what were you going to do to them, Mione?'

Hermione shrugged in response, "I don't know, I do know they were lucky that I could feel that you were still alive. Then after Harry calmed me down, Dumbledore made Harry spend his month in hell, and poor Hedwig went spare carrying letters back and forth between us and pecking Dumbledore to let Harry out. And of course we had had to reveal our animagus powers to Dumbledore when we came up with the potion to help Remus, so I couldn't sneak away to Little Whinging."

"You wanted to sneak in to see me?" Harry asked, pleased. Hermione nodded slightly and he kissed the back of her head in response as she wiggled slightly in his arms. "Finally, Mione, Lupin, Tonks and Dumbledore came and got me, and after some broken glassware," Hermione giggled, "we went back to Grimmauld, I own it now, by the way, Sirius left me the Black fortune, he shouldn't have, but I can't give it back. We met up with Ron, and we all made up, though the fact he was shagging Luna might have helped."

"HARRY..." Hermione laughed, "You are incorrigible." Then with a sudden thought her demeanor fell, and Harry instantly felt her sudden pain though their link.

"Hermione we don't have to..." Harry said softly,

No, love, its ok, Hermione thought back, "That evening Dumbledore gave us our Heads badges and inducted us along with Ron, and the rest of the Weasleys not already in and Neville into the Order. After that month at Grimmauld, in which we weren't allowed to go out except at the very beginning, Tonks and I went shopping, Dumbledore wouldn't let Harry out...Harry you tell it..." Hermione said in a whisper.

You sure?

Yeah

Ok,
"Riddle went for the sweep, we had a traitor mum, dad, just like Peter. Riddle went for the Burrow, Grimmauld and Hermione's parents house at the same time." Hermione became very still, except for her hand, which came up and squeezed one of his wrapped around her waist, "Death Eaters attacked Granddad, Ron and me at Grimmauld...that didn't work out so well for them, the rest of the attacks, however...Bellatrix and Dolohov, killed Percy at the Burrow and crucio'ed Molly. Malfoy and his herd killed Hermione's parents at the same time. Sorry love" Harry muttered. Hermione shook her head slightly.

"Harry was the only thing that let me survive, Lily. He popped up in my head when I thought I was dead, and he kept me grounded for that week or so after. I would have gone on to join them if it wasn't for him..."

"The rest of this year has been...hectic, mum, dad. Hermione and I now teach DADA for the first and second years along with Tonks, Lupin and Dumbledore for the older students. Then the war came back again, we were in on the attack on Voldemort's safehouse in Scotland; we gave him a reminder of why you should fear Halloween, the bastard. Then it was kind of peaceful, as peaceful as it gets anyway at Hogwarts until after Christmas, Ohh I forgot to mention that the Weasleys adopted Hermione and Ron proposed to Luna. Anyway after Christmas, I went with Dumbledore to Diagon Alley, and we got attacked with a lot of Dementors, we still don't know how many. Then everything was quiet for a while, Hermione did start playing for Gryffindor as a Chaser, now that she's a Weasley, almost the whole team is either a redhead, an honorary one or dating one." Hermione giggled softly at the thought. Then Voldemort finally found out where I had been hiding all those summers. He sent Lucius and Bellatrix after the Dursleys. They missed Petunia, who was their real target, but they tortured and killed Vernon before they left. McGonagall came and got us, it was a trap, but they were they ones who got their arses kicked."

Hermione gave Harry another squeeze of his captured hand. "We got ambushed, the wards stopped working since Petunia didn't consider it home any more and about ten Death Eaters apparated in. We took all of them out except Dolohov; Ron killed one that was going to kill Luna. Dolohov challenged Harry to a duel with blades, winner leaves. Dolohov had been the one who cursed me at the Ministry, and he had been at the Burrow, though we didn't find out until later. I took the Gryffindor blade from Harry and took the challenge instead. We sent Riddle his head, with complements. After that little altercation, Dumbledore figured out that we had a traitor."

"Aunt Petunia is a witch again, mum" Harry put in, "and we have Dudley in Gryffindor. Turns out he is a wizard, though we can't seem to get him to be able to use any magic. After Dumbledore snuck into our room to let us know about the traitor, how did you two put with him anyway?" Harry asked the wind. It just kept howling in response. "Voldemort attacked me in my dreams, we had mastered Occlumency, but he used six of his Death Eaters to batter his way in. Mione saved me again, and we fought him out. That one ended up not working so well for the bad guys either."

"Bullocks, that was mutual...again. Lily I wish you were here, to beat some sense into your son. "

"You love me anyway." Harry replied smugly, "About a week or two after that, we set up a trap for the traitor, and we caught him. It was Mundungus, I don't know if you know him. But when we caught him, it gave Snape away. I hate him, or rather I thought I did and maybe I still do, but we went and got him back before Riddle killed him. That same night Draco came to us, and revealed that he wanted to change sides. I don't know if I like that idea less or the one that I almost understand Snape now." He looked over at Hermione and sighed. "I don't trust Draco, maybe its all those years of antagonism, but he's in this for himself somehow, revenge against his father or something...I dunno, but I will kill him in a heartbeat if he steps out of line, I can't risk it." Harry glanced over at Hermione and whispered, "not any more." She gave him a slight frown, but nodded nonetheless.

Harry paused and regarded the sky over the Phoenix, sighed and continued on. "Now we know what Voldemort's goal is, a friend of Dumbledore's found a parchment dating from the founding of the school. Turns out that the chamber isn't merely a holding pen for the Basilisk, but that the Basilisk was just the guard dog. The Chamber is a means of killing muggles and muggle-borns worldwide. Dumbledore tried to destroy the Chamber again, but he couldn't. So I guess we are waiting for Voldemort's move. I don't know when it will be, but we're waiting. Mum, Dad, I can't let him use the chamber, no matter what it takes..."

Hermione gave a slight shake of her head, "We can't love...Lily, James we are going to kill Voldemort, and stop him from using the Chamber, even if it kills us too."

"He'll have to kill me to get you." Harry replied instantly.

"Me too, Harry" Hermione said fervently. "Harry, we live together or we die together, no other choice. So you better not die, I want to live to have those two kids."

Harry chuckled darkly, "Ok, dear, I never want to disappoint you. Mum, Dad, I miss you terribly." Harry choked up and started crying softly. Hermione eased out of his arms enough to turn around and wrap her arms around him tightly, just what she had secretly wanted to do in their third year, when Harry had overhead McGonagall and Fudge talking about Sirius at the Three Broomsticks. Harry tightened his arms again and they sat there for almost a half hour, until Harry looked up and noticed the fading light. With a groan, he rose to his feet and pulled Hermione up after him, "Mum, Dad, we have to leave, before Dumbledore notices we're gone, and goes spare. I'll..."

"We'll be back, " Hermione finished for them both, and grabbed his hand. Without another word, they both vanished, noiselessly.

For another minute the hill stood empty, the wind howling across its breadth, then a figure slowly faded into view. With a great sigh, Dumbledore walked over to Lily and James graves and softly laid a hand on James' tombstone. "I'm sorry James, Lily...Most of its my fault...I should have kept Sirius alive, I should have made it so Harry could have grown up with you...I should have stomped out Riddle when he was still in school. I promise, I'll do all I can to keep them, from meeting you in person before their time. Give Ann my love." Dumbledore sighed again, and disapparated home.

*************************Hogwarts, Great Hall*****************************

6:35 pm

Dumbledore leaned over to the grizzled wizard on his left. Mad-Eye had shown up at the castle just in time for dinner, and after casting poison detection charms for a solid ten minutes had agreed to stay for dinner. Dumbledore looked down on the Gryffindor table, at a pair of heads, brunette and jet-haired. They were eating quietly, leaning together. As he watched intently, he saw their shoulders shaking in time, as they laughed at a joke put forward by their fire-haired partner in crime. Quietly, he murmured to Mad-Eye, his gaze never leaving the students, "Well old friend...are they ready?"

Mad-eye's natural gaze flicked over to Dumbledore, while his magical eye glanced toward the Gryffindor table for a good minute, before it returned to spinning randomly about. "I don't know Albus. There's not much that we can teach them. I mean they don't know everything, blimey they are only seventeen." He faced forward again, and ate another bite. Without turning back, he muttered out of the side of his mouth, "But they can out fight any of us, hell even the little Weasley girl can take Tonks if she wants to, and the boy's damn near the best strategist I've seen in years. Potter and Granger, well they're almost scary. I think you are about the only one that can compete. I've gotten to where I have to cheat, to put anything over on them, not that I have anything against cheating, as long as it's in a good cause."

"Of course" Dumbledore replied with a soft chuckle.

"Then they are ready, Alastor?" McGonagall interjected from Dumbledore's other side. She leaned over to catch his response, as she pretended to reach for a gravy boat.

"Honestly, if they were Aurors, I'd take any of them in a heartbeat against normal dark wizards or almost any of the Death Eaters for that matter, but against Voldemort...Bloody hell, Minerva...they still have weaknesses, Potter and Granger try to protect each other before themselves, understandable but its there and I don't think we can break them of that habit anytime soon, or ever. They also don't have enough experience with their powers, if we had another five, ten years, then Riddle had better find himself a deep hole to hide in, but I doubt he will give us that much time. Potter still on occasion blames himself for things that aren't his fault, and he doesn't always admit to himself that he's as smart as he really is. Granger sometimes tries to convince herself that she's not as good as she is, and she occasionally falls back on the perfect enunciations and executions of the spells. She hasn't internalized that at their level of power, its more a matter of wanting it to happen verses perfect spell casting. That's mostly you teachers fault, though. Harry just got by in classes except in DADA until fifth year on. When it really mattered he just did it and didn't think. She thinks too much."

"So they can't win?" McGonagall hissed back in horror. She looked slightly pale at the thought. Dumbledore just sat there, with a peculiar little smirk. He nodded to Mad-Eye, who nodded slightly as his eye spun back to the Gryffindors.

"No, lass I didn't say that" Mad-Eye replied hastily, "That's what their normal hang-ups are, but the thing is...when they just go with it, they are probably the most dangerous pair I've ever seen. I mean, I've harped at them for the last two years about their screw-ups at the Ministry, but if they had been trained properly...and they did almost win more or less, they succeeded in keeping the prophesy from Voldemort anyway. At that time, Harry was the only one who had really been in the thick of it, but now they just know."

He shrugged, "as to the rest, Weasley has finally gotten over that sidekick syndrome he was under, and turned into the wizard he can be. He's doesn't have the sheer power of those two, or the instinctive tactical prowess Potter does or the finesse Granger does, but strategically as opposed to tactically he has them both beat hands down. Ginny is just very good, possibly as good as Tonks, and I feel she'd be great as an operative. Longbottom has grown into his dad's shoes. And the Lovegood girl...she's weird, but her other abilities can help make up for it, and she's not a half bad dueler either. As to the rest of the students, they're the best this school has seen in a hundred years. I don't count Riddle as a graduate." Mad-eye grinned evilly, "Put it this way Minerva, I pity the person who comes to this school looking for trouble." McGonagall looked satisfied at that and sat back. The three watched silently as down below them, Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna got up and walked out of the hall together.

As the quartet left the Great Hall, "Just how did those two vanish today, Alastor?" Dumbledore murmured, a twinkle in his eye.

"Blimey, Albus, I just told you...they are friggin ghosts, they just vanished." Mad-Eye replied shrugging once more, in mystification. Dumbledore let out a soft chuckle and returned to his meal, periodically shaking with suppressed laughter.

******************************Astronomy Tower***************************

March 12, 2006
1:00 pm

The March winds that had blown over Wales yesterday, seemed to have followed them home. Stepping up to the edge of the tower, Harry looked down at the ground, far, far below, the wind grabbing at his cloak, threatening to yank him off and into nothingness. Ron approached, warily, and joined him at the edge. Looking down, "Yep, mate, that's a long way down." Ron whistled softly as he observed a first year, about the size of a small ant sitting at the base of the tower.

"Honestly Harry" Hermione said as she walked up the edge, unconcernedly. "This is...daft. Sweetheart you don't have to impress me." She was smiling as she finished, but Harry could feel the 'Harry, love, you're being an idiot again' vibe: she didn't even have to think it.

"I done this before, Mione" Harry grinned at her, "and besides you don't seem to have a problem with it."

"I can bloody well fly, Harry," she snarled. "And those times you refer to are? Oh yes, I remember, the first was Dementors knocking you off your broom and the second, as I recall was a combat insertion on top of a Death Eater's mansion. And I seem to believe that Dumbledore was the one controlling your fall both times."

Harry, who had not been looking at his girlfriend, suddenly snapped his head around at her tone. "Ron." Harry said softly, motioning with his head. Ron nodded and walked over to the rest of their friends, Luna was sitting cross-legged on a stanchion, while Neville was bent low talking to Ginny, obviously telling her some joke from her reaction. With a small slight sigh, Harry stepped back from the edge and looked into her eyes. "Mione, what's wrong, and don't tell me its this, and by the way that little speck is Dumbledore." He inserted, gesturing off towards the ground, and the tiny blue ant person standing by the base of the wall.

Hermione gesticulated, inarticulately, "No, you're right, its just that since yesterday, I've been thinking" Harry cracked a small smile, and she playfully slapped him on the arm in response. Oblivious to the four other teens, and Tonks and Lupin she leaned against his arm, both of them still quite close to the edge of the tower. "Do you think we can succeed?" She whispered, the subject not the one at hand, the one of jumping off a tower and using the momentum dispersion charm to provide for an easy landing.

Harry continued to look out over the castle grounds, but one of the main advantages of their link was that eye contact was only incidental to their closeness, and in the end honesty. They might trick each other for a while, but never where or when it mattered. If you had asked me that a year ago...I don't know. Now yeah. Harry replied, his thoughts warm, You were right, with what you said to mum and dad, no matter what it takes, but he's taken too much from us, he's the one who is not coming out from this.

But if...

Then we're together no matter what.

Even in this?
Hermione laughed out loud, as with a breath, she SHIFTED, and flew off, circling slowly as she approached Dumbledore on the ground far below, coming?

Harry smiled and he could feel the emotion as she landed, transforming back in the beat of a wing. Tuning his back on the drop he looked back at Ron, and the rest and gave them a jaunty little wave. "Well aren't you people here to learn?" And with a laugh of his own, Harry jumped off the tower, backwards. Ron, Luna, Tonks, Ginny and Neville all sprinted to the edge, just in time to witness Harry complete a flip, and as if he were suddenly falling through gelatin, his last fifteen feet slowed to a moderate walk, and he landed on his feet with only a slight bending of the knees.

Tonks glanced over at Ron, "wotcher...he hasn't practiced this has he?" Ron shrugged; then almost jumped out of his socks as his two best friends reappeared right behind him.

"Boo" Harry said, laughingly, almost as if the shock were a continuation of an earlier, good joke.

"Very funny, you two..." Ron growled, his eyebrow inched upward, "and just what were you two discussing so intently?"

"Life" Hermione replied tersely, then gave Ron a mischievous smile, "We were discussing how odd your children would look."

Ron stepped back, and looked slowly at Harry, and then at Hermione, scanning them up and down, stopping purposefully at the rampant black mane of Harry's and the only slightly tamed by time, mass on her head. Suddenly he broke out laughing, "and you two are any better, I pity the poor child that gets the hair genetics from you two." Hermione glared back, and broke out laughing. With a nod, she conceded that point.



A/N ok that's that. Next chapter how about an actual date to Hogsmeade...that'll go smoothly right?


Built by Text2Html

33. Can't We Even Go On a Date in Peace Part 1

Chapter 33: Can't We Even Go On a Date in Peace? Part 1
*************************Hogwarts, Quiddich Pitch**************************
March 15, 2006
6:00 pm

As usual for the last few years, when they had actually had Quiddich to play, Gryffindor was going into the final match, which was coming up all too soon, with the chance to once again retain the Quiddich Cup for itself. And for the second year in a row, the last match was up against Slytherin, with all the bad history and outright danger that match implied. Last year, as a capper, that game had included, two fractured ribs, a broken wrist and a dislocated shoulder, and that was just Harry's injury list. Ginny had been knocked from her broom, Ron bludgered, plus the usual dirty play, and all that didn't count the attempted murder against Hermione, by a suspect, most likely Slytherin, and very possibly Pansy. Draco had been cleared of the actual deed by playing and later; he had been cleared by his mind being probed when he crossed over to the light in the cause of his own self-preservation. Even though Draco was now more or less on the good guys side, or at least he claimed he was, he couldn't afford to be seen as going soft at all. As to the rest of the Slytherins, they would just be out to injure any Gryffindors they could get their hands on.

So taking all of that into account, Ron had decided that Gryffindor needed extra practice, and had dragged the entire team to the pitch after classes, and made them skip dinner, to practice maneuvers that most likely would never see daylight. The great magical lights had just gone on to light the pitch now that the sun had more or less fallen and the temperature had already started to fall back down to below freezing, not that it had gotten much above it during the day up here in the Highlands.

After almost an hour of freezing their bums off, the girls had landed and two of them, Hermione and Ginny, sat shivering under a heating charm. They were watching amusedly as the third chaser, Pavarti was snarling up at Ron about why the hell they were out in the cold, after dark, practicing for a bloody Quiddich match. Hermione's eyes were tracking Harry as he swooped here and there, theoretically practicing, but she knew he was only flying to fly. Returning a wave to him as he swept by, she muttered to Ginny, "Gin why did I agree to this?"

"Quality time with Harry?" Ginny replied snidely, her lips twitching upward.

"I live with him Ginny," Hermione reminded her smugly, that little, poorly concealed fact was the only real abuse of their positions as head students that either Harry or Hermione undertook. "I used to be scared to death of a broom and now I'm on the house team, that's almost too weird for even this place." Suddenly as a snatch of argument drifted over from Ron and Pavarti, Hermione sniggered.

"What's so funny?" Ginny asked.

"Ron just told Pavarti that since we were up against Slytherin she could consider this DA practice, too, and she would be therefore saving herself time. She replied that she could go get some Death Eaters for him to practice with then." Hermione relayed as above their heads Harry flew inverted through a hoop, while Neville and Seamus batted a bludger back and forth aimlessly. Harry even though he was Co-Captain with Ron, was staying out of this; he was just trying to relax. "Sis?"

"Yeah" Ginny replied distractedly as she considered if the fur of her animagus form would block the wind any better.

At that moment the wind picked up even further, and for just a second even Harry had difficulty with his broom. Hermione's eyes never really left Harry, she was obviously weighing something in her mind; she had been withdrawn from almost everyone today, except Harry. Even Ron had tried to pick an argument after Charms but had been ignored. As she watched, silently, Harry waved Neville and Seamus to the ground and flew over to end the discussion between Ron and Pavarti. The argument ended by a third power, Pavarti started heading for the changing rooms, while Ron grounded sullenly, under Harry's weather eye. Hermione turned from Harry, "So...how are you and Neville getting on?" She said quietly, though both of them knew that that had not been what she had been mulling in her head.

"Bloody well smashing Hermione, now, what's wrong, I've known you for six years, I can't read you as well as Harry, but I'd like to think I could read my 'sis', better than my clueless brothers." Ginny replied pointedly. She turned from Harry's discussing with; or rather telling Ron that practice was over for today. Hermione bit her lip as she played with the bristles of her firebolt. Her brown eyes met Ginny's and her lip twitched up for just a second. But she shook her head and turned back to stare at Harry. Ginny glanced back over at her, then at Harry, Ok, she thought, it has something to do with Harry, but I don't think its something that he has done, per say...therefore, I must distract her, into giving me the right answer...I knew that Auror training we get from Moody would come in handy. Ginny finished the thought triumphantly, "So Hermione, you're pregnant."

"WHAT" Hermione sputtered, and fifty yards away, Harry's gaze snapped from his talk with Ron, to hers. She waved to him that she was ok and turned back to Ginny, who was giggling violently. "Ginerva Molly Weasley" Hermione growled, "You will pay so dearly for that." But then she sighed, and turned away from Ginny. She kept talking however, as if she were giving an internal dialogue. "You ever love someone so much that you would do anything for them?" Hermione asked a touch desperately, and Ginny nodded silently, but did not speak as Hermione kept on, "that you would lie, cheat, steal...kill for them" Hermione ran a hand though her thick curls, which were currently pulled into a tail draped over her shoulder, she played with a curl aimlessly as she continued. "I've done all that Ginny, and more and I'll do it all again if it keeps him safe. Hell the act that cemented our friendship, Harry, Ron's and mine, was me lying to McGonagall's face about a troll. If it came to it Ginny, I'd offer myself as a sacrifice if it would keep him alive, but I doubt the big git would last another day. It's the way I'd feel. There are nights when I'm lying next to him, when I cry too when he wakes up with the nightmares, and I know that I'm the one in them, and I feel responsible. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah" Ginny replied a little breathlessly, and then grinned at her, "so what you are saying is that Ron never had a chance." She gave a slight laugh at the humorous question, she had meant it as a joke, but the response wasn't.

Hermione dropped her lock of hair and pulled her Quiddich robe tighter, "No Ginny he didn't have a snowball's chance in Hell, oh if he had come and actually asked me to the ball in fourth year, then we might have been together for a bit, but it wouldn't, couldn't have lasted. The difference is, that no matter how much I do love Ron, or you or any of the rest of the family, there would be just that tiny instant when I would weigh jumping in front of a spell or killing that Death Eater about to curse you, I wouldn't think with Harry, heck I already stood between the mad-murderer Sirius Black and Harry, and that was back in third year. If the same situation came about now I wouldn't even stop that long, I'd destroy that wizard. It's the same with him, and he has already done it. That day...my parents died, he didn't even think...you know Grimmauld was attacked too?" Ginny nodded hesitantly, "There were nine Death Eaters there, Harry took out five himself and he killed four of them without a passing thought, all because he needed to get to me. Of course Dumbledore took out the three at the end, and Ron stunned one, but..." Hermione broke off as her thoughts slipped into tired areas.

Ginny placed an arm around Hermione; she didn't know what to say. Through very lucky circumstances, Ginny had not been in any of the fighting since Hogsmeade, last June. She had been out with Moody and several others the day of the attacks on their homes. She had not gone in with the rest in the counter attack on Halloween, or been attacked by Dementors, like Harry and Ron at Diagon Alley after Christmas, or been in on the rescue of Snape, or any of the other minor actions in this war.

A black-haired savior soon rescued Ginny. "Hey, what's up?" Harry asked as he pushed a grumbling Ron towards the changing rooms. "Ron even Luna went back in," Harry yelled after the departing redhead, who just gave him a wave.

Hermione smiled up at him, as he extended his hands and pulled the girls up, Ginny almost flying upward as Harry forgot his own strength. She laughed as Harry shrugged an apology and headed off to change and to get warm. "Fancy a walk Harry?" Hermione asked softly and with a muttered incantation, transfigured their Quiddich uniforms into jeans, sweatshirts and heavy coats. After they had walked in companionable silence for a bit, "Harry, do you know what Ginny asked me?" a slight chuckle accompanying the words.

"No" Harry replied, afraid to ask.

"She asked if I was pregnant." Hermione rolled her eyes, as Harry reached out and pulled her into his side. "I guess she picked up that's something's wrong."

"Yeah, she probably has," Harry, agreed softly, "we need to tell them. I mean besides Ron. The rest of them deserve to know."

"It's a risk Harry." Hermione responded sadly, "even Ron probably shouldn't have known, I don't know why Dumbledore had you bring him up to his office when we found out about Voldemort's actual final goal. They just aren't skilled enough to keep the secret if Riddle or another of the Death Eaters grabs one of them, somehow."

"But why is it a secret...I mean putting aside, my annoyance with secrets in general, Tom already knows what he wants to do." Harry muttered resignedly.

"You promised Dumbledore love," Hermione reminded him in a tone that amply expressed she didn't like the fact either. Harry nodded as they continued along the lake, his thoughts on a future that may or may not happen.

************************DADA Classroom #2*****************************

March 17, 2006
2:30pm

"The problem with magic is nothing is as it seems." Harry pronounced knowingly as he paced back and forth, lecturing. The class today had already gone through a short quiz on recognizing the effects of various dark curses, and now Harry was covering a new topic, that of illusions. He whistled and Hedwig fluttered into the window and settled on his shoulder. "Two of the most basic illusions are invisibility or camouflage. They are actually two quite different things, though the effects can be quite similar." With a tap of his wand Harry disillusioned Hedwig, she faded from view and with a nudge started flying around the room. Hedwig settled on his desk, and Harry carefully did not indicate where he was. "Now with disillusionment charms, there is a relatively simple way to find someone or something, that has been disillusioned. Who can tell me and demonstrate?" As he had half expected only one hand shot up. "Ok Madeline."

"Sir" Madeline began, Harry carefully didn't roll his eyes at the 'sir' getting her to show any perceived disrespect of the professors was like getting Dobby to not call him sir. Or he thought with a concealed grin, getting Hermione to be disrespectful in her first year.

"Go ahead," Harry said encouragingly.

"The easiest way to find something under a disillusionment charm is to use a Lumos charm." At Harry's wave, she stood, "LUMOS" a beam of white light shone from her wand, and she slowly panned it around the room. After a second she stopped, "nox" the light went out and she pointed at Harry's desk.

Harry grinned and pointed his wand at the desk, "Finite" Slowly from the head downward, Hedwig returned to view. She gave a slight hoot and fluttered back over to Harry's shoulder. "Good job Madeline, ten points to Gryffindor." He turned to the rest of the class, "Does anyone know how she found Hedwig?" No hands shot up and Harry gave a sigh. "Ok guys, I used to not read the assignments either, trust me its easier in the long run if you do. Yeah I hear you laughing Mione, Okay Madeline, tell them."

"Sir, the disillusionment charm only allows the target to take on the coloring of the surroundings it does not pass light, so the object still has a shadow." She replied with a slight smile.

"Correct" Harry told her and then he turned to the class as a whole. "That was the correct means of finding something under a disillusionment charm, or at least the easiest and most common. There are magical items, such as magical eyes, and other viewing devices that can see right though camouflage spells. As to true invisibility such as granted by an invisibility cloak, the Lumos trick won't work, though once again the magical eye and such can see through. However, since only Madeline read the reading...ohh, how about three feet on camouflage, invisibility and other disguising spells, and the best means on counter acting them. As a hint there is at least one relatively new spell that the Weasley brothers came up with, if anyone can describe that to me, I'll give bonus points." A slight groan rang out, and Harry gave them a tiny grin. "Due next week, Ok get out of here, class dismissed."

A chorus of sound broke out as ink bottles, quills, books and other assorted class supplies were put away, and wands were tucked back into robes. The room quickly emptied, until only Harry was there in the room, as he finished packing his stuff into a bag, and sending Hedwig off to go fly around, he felt a soft brush against his cheek. With a wry expression, his hand brushed back an invisible hood, to find a pair of brown eyes looking into his. "Hi"

"Hi yourself, enjoy the class?"

"Yeah, I see what you mean, about Madeline, she reminds me of someone?" Hermione mused with a glint in her eyes. "You gave them points for the doppelganger charm, there isn't a way to way to tell the difference visibly, Harry."

"No I don't think so, but if they do come up with a way?" He shrugged, "I convinced Ron that we all could go to Hogsmeade this weekend."

"How did you do that? He's still freaking about the Slytherin game weekend after next, I'd thought he'd be wanting to chain us all to the pitch." She responded, annoyed.

Harry grinned as he flipped his bag on his shoulder and held out his hand. As she took it she put the now tightly folded invisibility cloak in her own bag, "I did the 'scary wizard Harry' routine."

"With the lighting and everything?" Hermione smiled, "and he fell for it?"

"I doubt it, he made me promise that we'd spend all of Sunday at the pitch in recompense." Harry replied as they left the classroom. Hermione locked it with a wave of a wand and tucked it back behind her back. She let out a groan and turned to look at him.

With an expression that flickered between annoyance and something else, "Harry, we need to start studying for NEWTs, its already halfway through March, I mean I've already been, but if we want those Auror appointments..."

"Mione, love, I have been too, remember. I seem to remember that some witch has been making me study those subjects for the last year and a half." Before she could object, he stopped her with an upraised hand. "Listen, Hermione, I think that you would agree that we are probably somewhere well beyond NEWT level in DADA, and Charms and Transfiguration...right" Hermione frowned at him, but nodded in the end. "Ok then, besides your Arithmancy and Runes, then Potions is where my problem is right?"

"No...not really, I mean that even Snape has to admit, that you know your stuff, but" Her response was cut off as Harry leaned in and captured her lips, to the "awws" of some passing third year girls. Hermione broke away and glared at them, and they scampered off. After they left, a small smile crept onto her lips, "what was I saying? I forgot."

"You coming to Hogsmeade with me this weekend?" Harry teased.

"I don't know, I mean Draco did ask already" she shot back, Harry feigned shock, and dropped to his knees in front of her... "Oh please, my angel, I don't know what I'd do...I don't think I could go on" He murmured in a vaguely pleading voice. With a grin she yanked him to his feet and planted a kiss on his lips.

"OHH break it up you two" Ron growled walking up towing Luna. He pinched the bridge of his long nose as if they were giving him a migraine, "I bloody well know that Harry hasn't done anything stupid, there's no odd winds and lighting in the corridor." His stomach growled, it had only been three hours or so since lunch, "We're going to sneak down to the kitchens to nick some food, want any?"

"No mate, we're fine." Harry responded for the two of them, and with another nod, he left, and Hermione and Harry started for Gryffindor tower to kill time until dinner actually started for real.


*****************Hogsmeade, The Three Broomsticks*************************

March 18, 2006
11:00am

"Any thing else Harry?" Madame Rosmerta asked with a smile, as she dumped a round of butterbeers on their usual table. The bar, as usual for a Hogsmeade weekend was packed with the Hogwarts third thorough seventh years. She picked up the remainder of some snacks and glanced back around the bar at some third years causing a ruckus across the room. Rosmerta sighed and started to turn. She loved the students coming in, but they had been known to cause a problem or two from time to time. She didn't count the various Death Eater attacks, mad-murderous escaped Azkaban convicts and other problems that followed Harry about; it wasn't his fault after all.

"Don't Rosmerta" Hermione growled getting up. "I'll handle it." Harry winced a bit as he watched her stalk through the crowd on the way to the table of mixed third and fourth years, composed of some Gryffindors and Ravenclaws. Both Harry and Rosmerta winced again as she leaned in and whispered something urgently in Dennis' ear, he jumped and everyone at the table nodded at once. She smiled evilly and started back towards Harry, with a little shrug.

"What's the special, Rosmerta?" Harry asked, still smiling a bit.

"The mutton stew's not bad," She replied glancing at the door as the entry bell rang, and several Slytherins including Malfoy came in. Harry did not miss the brief flash of distaste that flitted across her face before she carefully hid it.

"Two of those then" Harry replied.

"Ok Harry, its on the house." Rosmerta grinned again, and as Harry opened his mouth to object, Hermione slid back in beside him and Rosmerta shook her head. "No, you two its worth it just to not have to deal with that" she jerked her thumb over her shoulder at Dennis. "And even the Slytherins don't start anything, with you two as Heads." She laughed as she headed off, yelling something at Hagrid as he drunk at the bar from a mug approximately the size of a keg.

"So Mione, are they going to be good?" His eyes were grinning as he took a sip of his beer.

"They bloody well better be." She murmured in return. One of Rosmerta's bar girls dropped off their food, and she muttered thanks as she picked up a spoon. "Where are Ron and Luna?"

"I don't know we didn't see them on the carriages this morning, in fact I haven't seen him since last night. I saw Neville earlier at Quality Quiddich Supplies, and he said he did see Ron early this morning, he came in and changed, and headed off again, without a word." Harry replied thoughtfully, he took a sip of stew as he glanced around the bar. It was full, as was normal for a weekend, even those without students. The clientele was varied, from half-giants, witches and wizards ranging in age from thirteen to one hundred fifty, to a couple of what very well might be vampires in the corner. That suspicion was confirmed as a trembling barmaid delivered a large cup of what looked to be blood to the largest of the pair. "They probably are off somewhere and..." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively and they both laughed.

**************************Hogwarts, Infirmary*****************************

In a bed in the otherwise deserted Infirmary, next to the infamous trio's reserved beds, Luna lay shivering, sweat dotting her pale brow. Her eyes were tired, as she smiled faintly up at Ron. He bent down and kissed her forehead, and wiped her face with a cool cloth. She smiled again and closed her eyes.

"A moment, Ronald" Albus Dumbledore said from near the door. He was standing with Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey. Minerva and Poppy where they were looking worriedly at Luna. Right after they had parted ways with Harry and Hermione last night at dinner, Luna had muttered something about "he's coming" and had collapsed in a heap. Ron had carried her up to the infirmary, and after when she had woke up for a bit, and Ron had said something about going to get Harry and Hermione, she had grabbed his hand desperately and whispered, "no".

"Ronald, she has shown signs of this before?" Dumbledore asked in a whisper, his blue eyes peering over the top of his half-moons. He gave Ron an encouraging little smile as if encouraging a recalcitrant student to tell the truth. Minerva turned and gave Ron a slight glare, but dropped it almost immediately. Pomfrey didn't however; she looked as if this was his fault somehow.

Ron didn't turn and look at the two witches, for a millisecond he flinched under Dumbledore's gaze, but almost instantly straightened up and looked him back in the eye. Blue eyes meeting blue, "yes, sir, but not this bad." He looked over at Luna as he spoke, with a touch of dread in his voice. Ron was long since past the days when he was afraid to speak Voldemort's name but the prospect of loosing Luna, put a quiver in to his Gryffindor heart.

Dumbledore frowned and crooking an eyebrow gave Ron an examining look, "you do know what is happening with Miss Lovegood, do you not?" He looked across at Ron, more or less at an even level. Of the many people in the castle, Ron and Dumbledore were several inches above most of them, Hagrid notwithstanding of course. With an unconscious gesture he pulled his glasses from the bridge of his crooked nose and started polishing them on the sleeve of his emerald green robes.

Ron sighed, and glanced back at Luna. She moaned, half unconscious, as she settled back down, muttering as if she were seeing things that were not there, Ron turned back to the rest with another sigh. "Yeah, sort of."

"Well I don't Albus" McGonagall glared at the headmaster, her burr breaking through in her annoyance. She crossed to Luna, the rest trailing. She tenderly ran her hand over Luna's sweat-darkened hair, her eyes turned hard once again as she stared at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore returned his glasses to his face, and sat down heavily on Harry's usual bed. He looked up at them clustered around, waiting for the word. "There are additional talents that some witches and wizards develop, more slowly or at random times than their normal powers. A good example is Harry and Hermione's powers, or even your own strategic prowess, Ron. I assume that you see the potential outcomes of actions, and plan accordingly." Ron, Minerva and Poppy all stared at him a bit stunned. "The reason is that you have shown a skills of a minor branch of Divination, one that has shown up at times in otherwise normal muggles as well, Napoleon, and Lord Nelson are prime examples. However what Luna is experiencing is not Divination per say, but an odd off shoot."

"But you don't believe in Divination, Albus" McGonagall objected abstractedly. She looked over at Luna again with concern.

"For the most part, I do not. However, as we both know there are cases where prophecies are true..." McGonagall glared back for a moment longer then gave a brief, grudging nod. "But as I just said, what she is experiencing is the full onset of what is most commonly considered clairvoyance. I actually noticed something when you were training last year, Ron. In that first training session with Alastor when the four of you were trying to escape that mock up of the Ministry..."

"Yeah, she knew it was just Moody, but I didn't even think about it..." Ron shrugged.

Dumbledore chuckled softly, "Aw yes trust and love...we forget their power at times when we get older, I doubt Miss Lovegood herself fully knows what is happening. When Poppy told me what had happened I looked into her family history. Her mother showed similar talents but not until after her graduation, also she never progressed past what Luna showed as normal. Her normal state was truly that she did not know where she always was. I have noticed that you give her an adequate anchor point, Ronald." Dumbledore smiled as Ron's ears turned red. "Unfortunately, like the rest of you, her powers are blooming at the time when they might be needed."

Ron looked a touch confused, as did Poppy; McGonagall grimaced slightly and gestured briskly for Dumbledore to complete his explanation. "She has always, I would suspect, and more and more over the years, seen events and places at a remove, interspaced with what she experiences in real life. Unlike Divination, she sees what is actually taking place at that instant or perhaps in a few moments hence. Furthermore, I also believe that she, except for brief flashes, did not have control over what she saw and where. She could however, bring herself fully into her own, she shows admirable focus when she is in danger or in class, rather more than you yourself, Ronald."

Ron turned even redder at that, fact but did not argue. "Alas however, as to today, her powers seem to have fully awakened, and she will require all the help she can get though this and remain sane. If she does not remain anchored to herself, she will become adrift in the now, and loose herself. Poppy, I believe Ronald will be needed here, as will Hermione, Harry, Ginny and perhaps Neville. I am sorry to betray Luna's wishes, however someone that she knows needs to be with her until she lea....

Dumbledore trailed off as suddenly Luna suddenly sat up, and her eyes shot open. Her normally dark blue eyes were glowing with a bright golden light. Ron let out a gasp and dove over to her side. She was trembling as she turned sightless eyes to Dumbledore, her voice dropped two octaves as she spoke in a terrible hard voice, "HE COMES TO THE HOUSE OF THE TRIO OF FLIGHT" and as they all watched, stunned, she turned her face to Ron, her eyes faded to their normal hue, she squeaked out a soft "Ron" in a soft parody of her normal voice and slumped to the bed, out cold.

"ALBUS" McGonagall hissed, as she started towards the door.

"I know" He snapped and in between eye blinks, he vanished, leaving Poppy looking befuddled and Ron looking worried as he clutched Luna.



A/N : Ohhh noooooooo


Built by Text2Html

34. Can't We Even go On a Date In Peace Part 2

Chapter 34: Can't We Even Go On a Date in Peace? Part 2
******************Hogsmeade, The Three Broomsticks************************

"I'm worried Harry, I still haven't seen Ron or Luna come in." Hermione said quietly over the top of her stew. Absently, she took a bite of the dark bread that had come along with the meal. She looked over at the bar, where Hagrid sat working on his second keg-sized mug since they had come in, then at the door as if expecting their friends to enter any second now.

Harry ran a hand through his hair, messing it even further and causing long strands to fall in front of his eyes, "Yeah, me too, let's finish and get back, we can use the map to find them, if they're not in the tower. But if they're up in the Room of Requirement on a 'study break'..." Harry and Hermione shared identical affected grins at the thought, though neither believed it. Ron might very well be occasionally irresponsible, and Luna more than a little flighty as individuals, but together they were really rather put together. Harry took a last sip of his butterbeer, full strength thank you, and got up, tossing some change on the table. If they were lucky they could get out before Rosmerta tried to give him back his money.

With a snap of pain, that plan ended. Harry's left hand shot up to his scar, while his right dove under his jacket for a wand. Next to him, Hermione felt a phantom of the pain in his scar though their link and winced. Both of them scanned around the room, desperately looking for the source. But there seemed to be no one out of place. Even the pair of vampires in the corner was chatting easily with a couple of townsfolk. But even so, they both knew something was wrong. Harry and Hermione had long since gained the ability to keep Voldemort from their minds, and even to defeat him on that plane. No this was the old facet of the link, the part that had not been blocked with Occlumency; that old blinding pain that Harry felt when Voldemort or his minions were near. "Harry" Hermione finally whispered a bit anxiously, "let's go, we can apparate from here, we're of age, no one will say much, and it gets people out of the line of fire.

"Yeah, but let's let Hagrid know too" Harry agreed quickly, and after a second Hermione nodded. They should have both gone immediately, that was their agreement with Dumbledore after all, it was Harry and by unspoken extension, Hermione's job to fight Voldemort in the end, but only on their terms or when there was absolutely no other choice. As they started to work their way through the packed bar, filled with patrons would had no idea what was going on, a high pitched, hissing voice came from behind them.

There was flurry of movement in the bar, as a score of patrons pushed as far away as possible from a seemingly normal middle-aged wizard. He was standing, his face downcast, at the center of the room. The man was at least forty, wore old frayed robes, and was balding on top. However when his head came up, both of them knew why the others had run from him. "Harry Potter" a high hissing tone came from the lips of this seemingly normal wizard, except his eyes were glowing a dark, sullen red. The bar patrons glanced nervously at the man, then at Harry, then back, each trying to puzzle out the problem. Several of the school age Order members, along with several older wizards and witches had their wands pointed at the man, but Hagrid was the only non-school age Order member here today, he fingered a large umbrella nervously.

"Tom" Harry replied flatly, his green eyes shining, but not quite erupted with power yet.

"I do not answer to that name" the hiss returned viciously, "Lord Voldemort does not answer to a muggle name." Instantly as several of the patrons who had been near the door tried to bolt, and at least two of the older wizards who had had their wands trained turned to run as well, the possessed man smiled evilly, "AVADA KEDAVRA, AVADA KEDAVRA" twin bolts of green snapped out and the two adults who had turned and ran, dropped dead, instantly. With a roar, Hagrid charged the manifestation of Voldemort, and with a sweep of the possessed wizard's wand was flung backwards, taking at least ten other witches and wizards with him as he crashed into and partially through a wall.

Harry was proud of the students, all of the overt members of the Order still had their wands trained, even though more than one set of knuckles were white on the grips. Over to one side the Slytherins that had come in had slight smiles on their faces, but Harry could see that Draco was ready to come into the fight, on his side he hoped, but he wasn't sure at all about that fact. And he could only tell by dint of long experience dueling Draco, as he hadn't actually drawn his wand yet, that he had any intention of fighting if necessary at all. He turned and stared into the red eyes, "What do you want Tom...you know bloody well that man will last about a second against me, even with you in control."

Voldemort acted as if he had not heard, or was choosing to ignore the calculated insult, "Actually Harry I came to offer you a deal."

"Does it involve feeding you to a pack of werewolves?" Hermione snarled next to Harry, her powers also held under tight leash. She separated just enough from Harry to make it more or less impossible to get them with one spell. Her own wand pointed at the man's heart, if it came to it, she'd remove that organ.

A high, dark laugh erupted then. The glowing red eyes considered Hermione for a minute then fell back on Harry, "I had forgotten your charming pet mudblood, Harry, is she really that good in bed?"

"Why is it that every damn Death Eater keeps asking that question, or variants thereof? Tom do you have a manual where you lay out these taunts, or do bad guys just not get laid enough?" Harry spat back, amazingly enough, brief titters of laughter came from several of the students, and at least one of the adult wizards.

"Enough of this banter. Harry join me, together even that fool Dumbledore cannot hope to defeat us. I know that he has stifled your skills, that he has lied to you, that through his errors he has caused your loved ones to die. Join me and I will show you power as you only imagine. Anything you want will be yours." Several of the students and bystanders looked at Harry as if expecting him to accept. "Want the mudblood, she's yours, any other, yours as well. Wealth...enough to fill a hundred vaults."

"No" Harry interrupted calmly, as Hermione felt a strange compulsion to hug him. "No TOM...there is only one accommodation between us. When you are dead for good, then..." The tip of the carved holly wand settled at a point exactly between the eyes of the possession victim.

In a flash, the Voldemort surrogate pointed his wand at the floor at his feet, and with a shouted incantation, a ring of energy snapped outward, injuring or at least knocking down everyone in its path, save Harry and Hermione, though their eyes were glowing after they rode out the effects. Before the effect had even fully dissipated, Dumbledore appeared behind the man. "Leave him" Dumbledore said quietly, his wand centered in the man's back.

"Force me, old fool." Voldemort hissed, then in a calm considering voice, "Oh I forgot, you respect the lives of these...people...for old times sake I will obey you and leave this mudblood." A low, hoarse scream erupted from the man's throat, and in an instant the scream stopped abruptly as he fell to the ground, his sightless eyes staring accusingly at Harry.

Instantly the bar, which had been silent of voices except for the three, erupted in murmurs, and more than a few CRACKs of disapparation were heard, echoing off the ancient wood walls. Grimly Harry bent over the body on the floor, and with a touch of his fingers to the victim's neck, his fears were confirmed. "He's dead" Harry growled up at Hermione, Dumbledore, and Rosmerta, who had hurried over from the bar when Voldemort had departed.

Dumbledore sighed, "As I had feared. Rosmerta, I fear that you will have to do without the calming influence that my Head Students provide for the rest of the year. I am afraid that for the time being it would be best if you two do not go on any additional Hogsmeade visits." Harry and Hermione shared an annoyed glance, but nodded in the end. "Now there are some friends I think that you would like to visit." The couple glanced at each other and with sudden realization, their eyes grew wide, "I think that the direct route would be appropriate." Dumbledore emphasized, then without another word, he vanished silently, back to whence he came. Saying their goodbyes, and muttering in Hagrid's ear on the way, the pair sped out the door, took a sharp right around the corner into a blind alley and vanished. .

****************Harry and Hermione's Room, Gryffindor Tower**************

March 19, 2006
2:33 am

Hermione looked over at Harry, he was finally still and quiescent. Even though Voldemort would not spend the necessary capital in Death Eaters, or risk his own psyche to attack them any longer in their dreams, he didn't have to. Harry's conscience did that quite well enough. Hermione had felt his heart shatter, as Dumbledore told them not in so many words, where Luna and Ron had been. Luna truthfully had been a victim of timing, not of a conscious action by Voldemort but the result was the same. Her full powers had awoken at almost the time he was possessing that poor wizard in Hogsmeade, for no other reason to taunt Harry, and she admitted to herself with an odd sort of pride, herself, and Luna's spirit had gotten caught in the crossfire. Hermione gently disentangled herself from Harry's arms and slipped out of bed. I guess I've tied you Lily, or am I ahead? Hermione mused ambivalently as she lit a candle on her desk with a flicker of her fingers. Or not, do you count the minions as "escaped from Voldemort", or not? Why am I counting the number of times I've escaped that bastard?

Hermione broke off her internal dialogue with a shrug and pulled a box to her. The box was made of dark, gleaming steel with a large inscribed lion's head looking out at her. Hermione looked down at the lion, its ruby eyes met hers and they blinked. The lion nodded respectfully and the lock on the case clicked opened. Reaching in, Hermione took out the parchment that Dr. Jones had found in the old Hogwarts records vault he had uncovered and carefully spread it out on the desk. Hermione had asked Dumbledore for permission to study the document further, to see if she could figure out the last little bit, and he had agreed. Though the box he had delivered it in was a little unnerving, not that it was magically defended but that only the Gryffindor line, meaning Harry or Dumbledore were supposedly the only ones it would open for. Not yet you daft box Hermione almost laughed at the magical item, but stopped, as they occasionally got offended.

Once more, Hermione started scribbling down notes, scratching out words as she didn't believe the translations, only to go back a moment later and put the same word right back. She even got up twice, once to look at the runes on the swords, and a second time when she just grabbed them both and took them back with her to the table. It just doesn't make sense, that rune means life, and that one valor, but I know the translation of the first bit doesn't make sense...But the truly odd thing, is that this last bit seems to be in another hand, as if it were added later...Actually if I didn't know better, I'd think Harry was playing a joke, the handwriting seems closer to his then that of the text above. Hermione stood and paced the room, pausing next to the bed on each pass to smile down at Harry as he slept. With a soft scratching noise, one of the windows opened for an instant, and Hedwig swooped in.

Hedwig flew to her and landed softly, carefully on her shoulder, almost like the owl realized there was only a thin t-shirt between her talons and Hermione's skin. "Morning Hedwig" Hermione whispered as she petted the snowy owl, and looked down at the parchment once again. With a sudden, almost audible CLICK, the piece fell into place. The security box, an old Gryffindor house relic, that only recognized the true line...or their... "Oh bloody hell" Hermione whispered harshly, suddenly thinking dark thoughts of those who most likely died hundreds of years ago. With a quick wand flick, everything on her desk, except the parchment and the lit candle rose and floated over to gently land on the floor.

Her efforts were not unnoticed, with a start, Hermione felt Harry standing behind her, "What's up Mione?" Harry asked with a yawn. Looking over at the pile of papers, quills and books on the floor next to the desk, he quirked an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

Hermione looked at him and put her earlier thoughts out of her mind, "Hand me the swords." Confused, especially as it was getting to be three in the morning, but curious nonetheless, Harry handed her first his then her sword. Hermione smiled in thanks and positioned each sword as a leg of a triangle, carefully arranging it so the inscriptions were up. "Now hand me your wand Harry, your own, not James'" Harry shrugged as he flicked his wrist towards the bed, and his wand shot out from under a pillow and to his waiting hand. Handing it to Hermione, she placed first his and her own wand tips together and placed the joined wands to form the third leg of the triangle. She stepped back a step, "Lets see if this works...aparecium" Nothing happened for a long moment, then just as Hermione started to turn an annoyed face to Harry, the inscriptions and the runes on each sword began to glow, a bright, electric blue for the founder's names while the Runes on each guard glowed a golden yellow.

The pair watched, amazed, as their wands levitated above the desk and started flicking in the air. Fiery words started to appear, each wand writing a word and leapfrogging the other to write the one after:

Greetings, Heirs

If you are reading this, Rowena and I were not able to destroy the Chamber. Salazar was once my greatest friend, but now, must be counted as my greatest foe. He was once one of the mightiest champions for light, but he has fallen. His beliefs have clouded his thoughts, and he has listened to those for whom, no creature of this Earth should call ally or friend. For they mean to offer only death, even to those who serve them well. It was with their help that the chamber was built. The chamber as you can tell from this document has properties beyond that of a cage for the basilisk, a means to destroy us all, or rather the muggles, and those born from muggles.

The dark ones, for they seem to not have another name, are waiting to strike. Are waiting for the heir of Slytherin to foolishly trigger the falling of the night. He will do so in pursuit of a foolish quest, that of immortality. The failure is his, he has already discovered the secrets to that gift, but his dark heart has turned it to a curse. Only the valiant and true may progress through the ages unhindered, only the light may truly restore the balance, only those bound by blood may end the curse.

Take care,

Godric.

The fiery letters faded as emerald and amber eyes met. Hermione watched worriedly as Harry paced over to the small loveseat in front of the bedroom's brazier and dropped into it bonelessly. Hesitantly she worked her way over and sat down next to him, intertwining her fingers with his automatically and dropping her head to his shoulder. They sat, staring at the flames for at least ten minutes before, without any warning, Harry barked a bitter laugh. Hermione looked up at him, and he smiled sadly at her. "Ever wonder if we have any choice at all? The last line...that's the prophecy."

"What do you mean Harry." Hermione asked softly snuggling closer to him, with a little shiver. With a whispered spell, the throw from the bed floated over to cover them, "thanks Harry."

"Anytime..."Harry looked into the flames, hoping as always to see Sirius once more, as always, not succeeding. "Hermione, you know the night Vol...Tom Riddle came back, about how he came back?"

"Yeah." Hermione replied, without a great deal of conviction. "He tied you to a grave and Wormtail used a potion to give him a body..."

Harry nodded, "Hermione...what where the ingredients to that potion?"

Hermione turned and stared into his eyes, "umm...flesh of a servant, freely given...bone of a parent...blood of an enemy forcibly taken...ohhh"

"Exactly"

****************************Hogwarts Infirmary****************************

March 19, 2006

8:00 am

"Now I know what you went though, all those times Harry was in here." Ron murmured sadly to Hermione. He was sitting on his usual bed, next to where Luna lay, still unconscious after her message of yesterday. Hermione sat across from him, nestled in Harry's arms as the two of them sat with Ron. Ron had not left, except for when Harry had forced him, nearly at wandpoint, to go eat while Hermione had stayed. Harry and Hermione were both in their Quiddich robes, they were supposed to be practicing today, but Ron had not yet moved. His eyes had only flicked up at them when they came in and had returned sadly to Luna

"He's not the only one, I seem to remember you in here a few times. A dog bite comes to mind," Hermione muttered back with a grim smile. "You were crying about how bad it was and such."

"Well it was," Ron said defensively; then sighed, "I'd let myself be bitten a hundred times, if she'd wake up." Hermione didn't know what to say for once, so she leaned back against Harry, as Ron continued as if they weren't in the room. "Last night when McGonagall came back, she was talking to Pomfrey, I guess that they forgot I was here, the lights were out and I was just sitting there. She told her that Dumbledore presumes that her mind reached out, just as V-Voldemort was possessing that bloke in the Three Broomsticks, he figured that the shock of it..." Ron sighed tiredly, "For the longest time, Harry I was jealous of you, I admit it, mate. You just never realized, not really, how it was for the rest of us. It wasn't the money, I mean I was steamed about that a bit, but I could accept it. No it was everything else, you were so damn powerful, it was...hell both of you were, and neither of you knew. You made the rest of us look dumb."

"Ron, ...I..." Harry interjected, as Hermione leaned back and shared a slightly terrified glance.

"No Harry, Hermione, its ok, its just that you both were Muggle-borns or the next best thing to it, you never realized just how special you were. You guys just weren't normal, no one could fly that well, or knew that many spells, or could do magic that powerful at your age, it was almost ludicrous." Ron chuckled sadly, "I bet you didn't think I knew that word, did you Herm?"

"Ron I sucked at courses" Harry objected, and Hermione's mouth fell open to confess her shortcomings.

"Only as you didn't care, Harry, except when she made you study." Ron grinned a bit at this point and Harry reluctantly shared it. "No Harry, it was that when you needed to, you came through, every time, and I was just the sidekick, still am I guess" He shook off Harry's objection, and nodded towards Luna, "She was the first one, even my family, really that cared for me as a individual, besides you two of course. Even for my family, I was just another of the Weasley herd, I'm not brilliant like Bill, or weird like Charlie, or Fred and George, or the girl like Ginny, or the prat, like...Percy. I mean mum and dad, love me, I've never had a doubt, and the rest do too, but I was never really able to just be me. Even when I got here, I was compared to all the rest that had come through. When she sat down next to me that day last summer, I was wallowing in my misery, and my heart just woke up. I knew then that I wasn't really in love with you Herm, no offense."

"None taken." She smiled at him.

"I didn't have that feeling in my stomach when I looked at you, that I got, hell still get with her, know what I mean?" He mused.

"Yeah" Harry whispered.

"I love you sis, but not what I feel when she smiles at me, or laughs, or holds my hand." Ron picked at a loose thread on the sleeve of his shirt; leaning forward he gently brushed back hair from Luna's eyes and smiled sadly.

A soft knock was heard at the doorway and the three of them turned to see their head of house looking at them quietly from the door. "Potter, Granger, Weasley...the rest of your team is waiting for you on the pitch." Her burr was soft, but her expression was stern.

"Bloody Hell McGonagall" Ron snapped, "It's just a damn game."

"MR WEASLEY" McGonagall snarled, then with a soft sound, her scowl fell, and her tone grew quiet, "Ronald, go, you haven't left the infirmary, except when Harry dragged you away to eat." McGonagall walked over to Luna's bedside, and gently felt her head. "I will sit with her." With nods at their Housemistress, Harry and Hermione each grabbed an arm and led Ron out of the room, but not before he stopped, kissed Luna on the cheek and whispered something in her ear.

*************************The Lake, Hogwarts******************************

March 22, 2006
6:20 am

"Hermione, sure you don't want to come?" Ron asked with a sly grin, as he wiped sweat off his brow with a conjured towel. Steam was coming off his sweats, as he panted slightly. Harry glanced up from the ground where he was stretching out a slightly sore leg. The trio had gone for a run, as much as to get Ron out from the infirmary and the now awake Luna, than as part of their normal training.

"No Ron, I already have Hagrid's assignment done. I don't need to look at the Wyvern again. Hermione replied distractedly as she bent in half, easily touching her forehead to her legs. She straightened with a slight groan as Ron chuckled at something.

"Harry can you come with me, you know Hagrid's rules about having at least two people." Ron pleaded, as he needed to get the Wyvern assignment done today before class.

Harry groaned and looked over at his girlfriend, who gave him a small shrug. "Ron, I could be sharing a..." Harry broke off as Ron, mouthed "Please Harry" silently, "Bloody Hell...Ron you have no clue how much you owe me right now."

"Sorry mate, I'll make it up to you" Ron grinned.

"No offense Ron, but I'd rather you didn't" Harry replied and kicked himself to his feet in one fluid motion. Hermione laughed softly as she recognized his meaning. Harry leaned over and kissed her, turned and growled at his other best friend. "Lets go, I would still like to at least share breakfast with my girlfriend." With that Harry turned and led Ron towards Hagrid's Hut, Hermione laughed again as she waved at Harry, and turned and headed towards the castle.

Hermione climbed the outside steps to the castle, her steps quick despite the half hour run she had just completed. At the top of the stairs she turned in the approximate direction of Hagrid's just in case Harry had decided to blow off Ron after all, he hadn't. With a heavy sigh, some days, I really could not care if Ron flunked. She thought annoyedly, but she probably didn't really mean it, probably. As she turned to the castle once again, a voice rang out, high pitched and slightly hoarse, "Can we talk?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, before she blanked her expression and turned to the interloper. "Yes Petunia can I help you?"

"Can you tell me why Harry won't talk to me?" Petunia muttered with an odd look on her slightly horse-like face. The robes she wore were slightly worn, as if they were some she had pulled out a trunk somewhere, which on reflection might very well be the case.

"Oh I don't know Petunia," Hermione replied snarkishly, "Maybe its because he doesn't want to be reminded of his entire damn childhood under your fucking roof." Petunia's eyes grew wide as if she had never heard such language.

"You know why I..." Petunia shot back only to stop abruptly at a glare that could probably kill small animals outright.

"Why, because you couldn't stand up to your bloody husband...Oh he was bigger than me...ohh..." Hermione growled, and in two steps crossed the space between her at the top of the stairs and where Petunia was standing in the middle of one of the arches of the entrance garden. Faster than most eyes could see, her hand snapped out and jerked Petunia's wand out from the pocket of her robes, where the handle had been sticking out, and held it up. "Merlin woman, you were a bloody witch, if you cared, you could have stopped him. Dumbledore would have returned this with a single owl, you know that, or I'm sure Olivander would have had one laying around. And you sat there, and let that bastard beat Harry, oh he couldn't fight back when he was growing up and that stupid underage restriction kept Vernon safe. Do you know that Harry cried after Vernon died...he cared, even for that bastard, at least enough for that. He's spent sixteen years of his life, in mortal danger and most of that was from his own family, Voldemort has only been after us for the last seven years or so."

Petunia quaked at the name; she certainly was a witch again, Hermione rolled her eyes as she flipped Petunia's wand back at her, it fell to the ground at her feet.

"Honestly...Harry received more love from his enemies than his family, he has a new family now Petunia, and you won't fuck it up for him again...I won't let you." Hermione's voice cracked slightly, as she felt a presence as familiar as her own come up from behind her.

Harry wrapped his arms around her and glared a bit at his aunt. "She's right Petunia. I won't let you mess up my life again." Hermione glared at her as she leaned back into Harry, his arms never leaving her. She shivered a bit as the post-exercise warmth started to leave her body. She heard Harry mutter a heating charm under his breath and she smiled at him in her thoughts, but the hatred never left her eyes.

"Petunia, there are many things I am guilty of, mistakes that I have made, that have cost me dearly. I am not going to make another; I have managed to salvage my life from the wreck that Vernon cast it into, though, unless I miss my guess, very soon I'm going to risk all of that to kill that madman who started all of this. After all if he hadn't killed mum and dad, you would have never had to deal with me, would you...let's go Mione." With Hermione still encircled in his arms, the pair started to walk back into the castle, only stop once again. "Petunia...we'll see, just give me some time." Harry said just loudly enough to carry to his aunt, and finished their walk into the castle.




A/N: A chat with Petunia to start off the morning, ohh the happiness I put them thorugh...next chapter, lets play Quiddich.


Built by Text2Html

35. It’s all about that Small Gold ball with wings.

Chapter 35: It's all about that Small Gold ball with wings.
**********************Hogwarts, Quiddich Pitch*****************************

March 25, 2006
1:00 pm

"OK THIS IS JUST ANOTHER GAME." Ron shouted gleefully as he paced in front of the assembled Gryffindor team. McGonagall's prescription last Sunday had proven just the ticket. Ron had been able to go play for the afternoon, and after having any other thoughts driven forcefully from his mind, by the application of bludger and quaffles, he had been content to go lay down and fall asleep instantly next to Luna in his normal bed. But not before Harry had caught Pomfrey's muttered complaint, "what are rules anyway, I guess I work for the Potter/Granger/Weasley clan instead of Hogwarts, I should ask Mr. Potter for a raise". Harry had quickly escaped before she realized he was still there.

An hour after Ron had fallen asleep, exhausted, he was awoken by the thumb of a small hand rubbing the back of his, its fingers inserted carefully into his. Luna had been awake and smiling at him from the next bed. She was in the stands today, once again in control of her faculties, the giant lion head held in her lap. She had been too tired still to climb the many stairs to the Gryffindor stands, but Hagrid had happily fixed that dilemma, by the simple expedient of picking her up and carrying her up to the top of the fifty foot stands without the least sign of strain. In fact, he had even kept up a running conversion with Professor McGonagall as he climbed the stairs. Back in the locker room, Ron stood, and with a wave of his wand, moving diagrams started dancing about on the board. "Everyone see this, we'll start here." He pointed as a tiny, illustrated Harry flashed through the line of Slytherin Chasers and scattered them like chickens. Ron showed at least ten more diagrams as Harry tuned him out; his real job after all was to catch the snitch and to keep Malfoy from it.

Mione? Harry cast as he more or less pretended to pay attention to his Co-Captain.

Yeah, Love? She replied with just about as much attention as to Ron as Harry, they had helped Ron come up with the plays after all.

Ready for this? This won't be like the Ravenclaw game, Harry sent back worriedly, The Slytherins will be out for blood, and Draco, even though, he's supposedly on our side, will be right with them.

At the front of the room, Ron switched to another play, and Hermione nodded as he said something to her, I'm not afraid Harry, and there will be no 'save Mione' needed today. She murmured pointedly.

Harry chuckled in her head, No, but there might be some 'save Harry' moments needed. He replied wryly and she grinned over at him, and grabbed his hand quietly. Up at the front of the room, Ron finished and pointed at Harry. With a flicker of a grimace, Harry stood up. "Ok mates, this is it, McGonagall wants to keep the trophy for another year, she said something about getting a stand for it." Seven identical grins broke out at that, "this will be rough, but I expect, not worse than a Tuesday or so." Everyone, even Hermione shared a laugh at that, after Madame Pomfrey's joke in the aftermath of last year's Slytherin game, they Gryffindor team had started ranking the injury probability of matches on a Sunday to Saturday scale, with Sunday being a cakewalk and Saturday being one of those days when everyone went back to the castle on a stretcher. Neville, Seamus, watch out for the girls," Harry raised a hand to forestall the protests, "nothing on your skills ladies, but I figure that they will be gunning for the three of you, they know their chaser line doesn't hold a candle to you." Ginny and Pavarti grinned at that, while Hermione rolled her eyes, Love you too Mione, he thought over to her and she stuck her tongue out in response.

"Neville, Seamus, if Crabbe and Goyle...happen to fall off their brooms, well darn it, stuff happens." They all laughed a little hungrily at that, it wasn't really a joke, the laughter stopped at Harry's next words though, and a predatory look settled in his jade orbs. "Everyone be careful, we all know damn well, that group's the Hogwarts chapter of the Death Eaters, so they will try to hurt you. If it comes to that, they go down first." He watched silently as hungry looks settled into six more pairs of eyes, and he gave then a nod. "Let's go lions." Harry said simply, and pulling Hermione to her feet, he swept out of the changing room, the rest of the team in tow.

As they stepped out on the pitch, they were greeted with a roar of sound, and a couple of actual roars, from Luna's hat, and an actual lion that Hagrid must have brought along, unless someone else besides Harry was a lion animagus. As they came out the Slytherins struck up a chorus of Weasley is our King, the original version, with an added refrain using the words, mud somewhere in there. But they were quickly shut up as from three sides, a blizzard of popcorn, Bernie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, and Chocolate frogs was banished at them. The recalcitrant house dove under their seats for cover, and stayed there as at least five WeasleyWhizBangs detonated over their heads. McGonagall turned and glared at her house, before she turned back to the pitch, her hand over her face to hide her amused expression. Across the pitch, Snape stood and shook his fist at the Gryffindor stands, before he sat back down in a huff.

The Gryffindor stands erupted once again, and McGonagall didn't even try to stop them as Harry and Hermione smiled, and touched lips. As they broke away, each immediately taking a deep breath, Hermione even waved up to Luna, and ignored the Potter and Potter banner, that Colin and Dennis Creevy were sitting next to, trying and failing to look innocent. "I guess I'm out to take the flip." Harry muttered.

"I thought Hooch said Ron had to." Hermione responded with a slight grin.

"She did, then she thought it might be better that she could keep an eye on me." Harry shrugged, and walked slowly away backwards, holding her hand until they could no longer reach, at which point she blew a kiss to him and headed over to Ginny and Pavarti, tying back her hair with a leather thong as she went. Harry shook his head, a stupid grin plastered on his face, as Ron swept up next to him. Throwing an arm over his shoulder, he led him to the center of the pitch where Madame Hooch, and Malfoy were waiting, and Malfoy had to keep up appearances after all.

"Ready to lose, POTTY?" Malfoy hissed as they walked up.

"No, Ferret Boy, I'd hate to take that familiar warm feeling from you, you might cry." Harry snarled in return.

"THAT WILL BE ENOUGH, GENTLEMEN" Madame Hooch snapped and glared at the three of them. "This will be a civilized game, today." She stated, and took out a galleon; flipping it, "call it Potter."

"Heads"

"Heads it is, which goal will you defend?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Ma'am Gryffindor will have the honor of defending the North Goal today." Harry replied formally, a curious light in his eyes. Despite herself, Hooch smiled and gave first him, then the other two, a formal bow, more suited for a formal duel than a Quiddich match. In response, as one they inclined their heads, and headed back to their teams.

Harry walked back to the waiting Gryffindors. The team stood, their brooms on their shoulders, and happy, tight little grins on their faces. Ron stopped next to Harry and laughed. He looked at Harry, who just indicated the team with a wave. "Lets go." Ron said simply and mounting his broom, he kicked off and headed for the sky.

"You heard him." Harry replied simply and followed his friend to the air. The section of the crowd in crimson and gold thundered as the team flashed by and Leslie shouted out over the crowd.

"WELCOME TO TODAY'S FINAL MATCH OF THE 2005-2006 SEASON." Leslie waved her mike over the Gryffindor stands to take in the cheering. "TODAY'S OUTCOME WILL DECIDE THE OWNER OF THE QUIDDICH CUP FOR ANOTHER YEAR." Leslie paused to let the cheering and jeering pass. "PLEASE WELCOME THE SLYTHERIN SERPENTS CAPTAINED BY DRACO MALFOY, WITH GREGORY GOYLE AND VINCENT CRABBE AT BEATERS, MILLICENT BULSTRODE AT KEEPER, AND MALCOM BADDOCK, TRACEY DAVIS AND THEODORE NOTT AS THE SLYTHERIN CHASER LINE." The team flashed by in formation past the announcers booth and the adjoining Gryffindor stands, to more than a few boos, several of which might have come from several adults sitting with the Gryffindors. The loudest of these was a peculiar witch who was standing to see over Luna's hat, and whom had her blond hair decorated with red stripes. The Slytherins did a few barrel rolls just to spite the crowd and headed to their start positions.

Leslie paused again to let the boos subside, and to be replaced by a roar of approval as the Gryffindor team snapped past. The smile could heard in her voice, "NOW PLEASE WELCOME...YOUR GRYFFINDOR LIONS...LEAD BY HARRY POTTER AT SEEKER, AND RONALD, THE KING, WEASLEY AT KEEPER. SEAMUS FINNEGAN AND NEVILLE WEASLEY AT BEATERS, AND THE RAMPAGING CHASER LINE OF GINNY, THE QUEEN, WEASLEY, PAVARTI, THE RAMAGING GODDESS, PATIL, AND HERMIONE GRANGER." Leslie waved her mike over the crowd before continuing, "as an interesting point, Miss Granger has assured me that she has every intention of accepting Mr. Potter's proposal just as soon as he gets around to it." Out over the pitch, both Ginny and Pavarti grabbed onto Hermione's firebolt, desperately keeping her from going over and blowing up the young witch. Harry rolled his eyes as next to him, Ron started laughing. Ron waved as he peeled off to orbit the north goals, while the now somewhat calmer chasers, and their escorting beaters started orbiting the pitch. Harry flew to the center of the pitch and hovered waiting for the release. With a whistle, the game was on.

"THERE'S THE RELEASE, AND POTTER AND MALFOY ARE IN PURSUIT OF THE SNITCH." The snitch shot out at a right angle to both Harry and Draco and the two rivals snapped after the tiny gold ball. Draco crashed into Harry, once, twice, then as they broke apart the snitch had vanished from both their sights. With a muttered curse, Harry stood his firebolt on its tail and rocketed straight up, right through the line of the Slytherin chasers, whom had received the quaffle on the release, and knocked the ball out of Nott's hands with the force of his passage. "AND POTTER LOOSES THE SNITCH FOR NOW, NOTT DROPS THE QUAFFLE, IT'S GRABBED BY WEASLEY, TOSSED TO PATIL. OHH THAT HAD TO HURT." Pavarti started to spiral to the ground as a bludger shot ripped the tail off her broom. Both Hermione and Ginny dove to catch Pavarti and together they managed to slow the Gryffindor's decent to the pitch. "AND BADDOCK HAS THE QUAFFLE, HE PASSES TO NOTT, TO DAVIS, SHE SHOOTS..." Ron stretched out to block the shot, in perfect position, but just as his fingers were about to touch it, a bludger shot out and nailed Ron in the ear. The quaffle sailed through the center goal; Ron held up a hand to his head while the other pulled his broom back under control, he hovered low to the ground with his hand to his head. "SLYTHERIN SCORES ON A TREACHEROUS DISTRACTION OF THE GRYFFINDOR KEEPER."

Quickly with both the Gryffindor keeper and the Chaser line temporally knocked from the game, the Slytherins Quickly scored four additional goals. They crowd moaned, and a new set of snacks was banished across the pitch at the Slytherin stands. Uproarious laughter erupted from them as they broke into a fresh rendition of the "Weasley is our King."

Harry snapped past Hooch, screaming, "INJURY TIMEOUT" Hooch half turned on her broom and blew her whistle. She immediately flew off in search of the Slytherin seekers. What they had done was technically legal, but she gave them a warning nonetheless. Harry landed by the chasers and was immediately joined by the beaters and Ron having gotten control over his broom. "All right Pavarti? Ron?"

"Yeah mate." Ron growled and wiped a bit of blood away from his eyes. Hermione walked over and pulled his hair away from the cut. She pointed the tip of her wand at it, and drawing the point down the three-inch slice, muttered, "suturous" The cut sealed up as the tip went along the cut, and the pain ebbed. "Thanks Hermione." She nodded and went over to Harry. He was standing over Pavarti who looked really peeved.

"I just got this damn broom." Pavarti snapped as she held up the broken off front end of her Nimbus 2002.

Harry smiled at her, "oh ye of little faith, Accio Broomtail." The broken off tail of Pavarti's boom shot over from across the pitch. Harry caught it with a free hand, and taking the front from unresisting Patil, he placed the two haves together; "REPARO NIBMUS" the two ends of the broom shot together with a little snap. Grinning, Harry handed her back her broom as he pocketed the wand, and seeing that Hooch was still berating Crabbe, turned to his team. He spoke softly so as not to be overheard. "Ok ladies and gentlemen, while this is just a game, I'll be damned if I let the Junior Death Eaters beat me." Grim smiles greeted that announcement. "Well co-captain what plans now?" Harry turned to Ron, who was starting to gain that Weasley fire in his eyes.

"Kick their arses? Ron muttered.

"Ok. Works for me, question though for everyone, shall I just end this, or do we want to..."

"I have nothing else to do today Harry." Ginny replied darkly. She looked over at Neville.

"I just do what she says." Laughter broke out.

"I wouldn't have gotten up today if I didn't want to play." Seamus grunted. Pavarti nodded as Harry raised an eyebrow to Hermione.

"I've already put off studying today for NEWTs anyway. I'm game." Hermione snarled and returned Harry's predatory smile.

Hooch finally got done berating the Slytherin beaters and came over to the assembled Gryffindors. "Potter, is your team ready?"

"Yes ma'am" Harry replied and together the team rose back into the air.

"OK FOLKS THE GRYFFINDORS HAVE FIXED THEIR INJURIES AND BROOMS AND PLAY HAS RESUMED." Leslie shouted over the noise as the whistle blew again and Harry once more shot out after the snitch. The quaffle shot up and was caught by Hermione. She ducked a bludger shot by Crabbe, and flipped the quaffle to Ginny who charged the goal. Crabbe raced to block her, but was knocked into a flat spin as a bludger hit his leg and another his shoulder. Neville and Seamus knocked their bats together in celebration as Ginny shot towards Bulstrode, faked a shot with her right hand, flipping the ball to her left in the process and shooting an underhand shot through the leftmost goal. CLANG. "GRYFFINDOR COMES BACK, IT'S 10 to 50."

Harry pumped a fist in celebration and pulled up next to Draco. Both of them were circling looking for the snitch. He looked over at the head Slytherin, "Want to play Ferret Boy?"

"Potter you are just waiting to loose to me."

"You've been saying that for seven years now Draco." Harry laughed as he pulled up and away and headed in the opposite direction. For just a second, he caught a glint of gold near the center golden hoop, but after a second, he lost it in the afternoon sun.

Below, Nott grabbed the quaffle, and flew towards Ron. Ron smiled and bounced back and forth on his broom, waiting for the shot. But it was not to be. Pavarti swooped in front of the Slytherin, and waved, as Ginny picked his pocket. His look was priceless as she flew in front of him, waving the quaffle. Ginny stopped in front of him, and shot the ball to Hermione. She spun and headed back down the field. Baddock and Davis charged her from either side, only to collide in mid air as she dove beneath them, pulled up and shot the quaffle past Bulstrode's outstretched arms. She snarled imprecations at the parentage of the Head Girl, who waved a rude gesture in response. Hooch blew the whistle again as she swooped down to revive the Slytherin chasers.

Leslie beat back a laugh, as she leaned over the commentator stand. "WE HAVE ANOTHER INJURY TIMEOUT ON THE FIELD, AS GRYFFINDOR CLOSES THE GAP ON A OUTSTANDING SHOT ON GOAL BY GRANGER." McGonagall looked over at Leslie, but let it pass. "YES FOLKS IT LOOKS AS IF MALFOY IS SIGNALING FOR A BACKUP CHASER, AND IT LOOKS AS IF PARKINSON IS TAKING THE PLACE OF BADDOCK." Pansy took to the air as Madame Pomfrey levitated Baddock off the field. The whistle sounded again as the quaffle shot out yet again and Pansy immediate grabbed it, next to the Gryffindor goal. She caught and flung it in one movement at the rightmost hoops, but Ron was waiting for it.

He caught the quaffle as easily as if he playing catch and spotting his sister, his red-haired one, he flung the quaffle as hard as possible, two-thirds of the length of the field into her waiting hands. She dropped it negligently to Pavarti, who streaked below her, and dumped the quaffle into the center hoop, behind Bulstrode's scowl. "GOAL PAVARTI " The rather large Slytherin keeper, shook the end of her broom violently as she hovered in front of her goal. Draco stopped in front of her for a second, "What the hell are you doing..." her response was unprintable.

The Slytherin chasers charged the Gryffindors again, Parkinson to Davis, to Parkinson, to a bludger from Neville nailing the end of her broom snapping half of the twigs off clean, and causing her broom to fishtail violently. She swerved into the path of Nott and was knocked sprawling to the ground. Fortunately for her she was only about twenty feet up at the time. Hermione caught the quaffle as it fell from her hands; she shot up the field barrel rolled right and scored, right as Hooch blew her whistle. "GRYFFINDOR SCORES AGAIN ON A SHOT BY PO...GRANGER, AND WE HAVE A WHISTLE ON THE PLAY...YES IT APPEARS THAT ANOTHER SLYTHERIN PLAYER IS DOWN, AND MADAME HOOCH IS CALLING FOR A MEDIC. THIS COULD BE TROUBLE FOR THE SLYTHERINS AS MALFOY DOES NOT HAVE ANOTHER RESERVE CHASER ON HIS ROSTER."

Hermione took the opportunity to pull up next to Harry and hover near him and Ron next to the Gryffindor goals. A small little smile was on her face as she watched Pansy being taken off to the hospital wing. "Happy Hermione?" Ron asked with obvious joy in his voice.

"For now" She replied so that only her "boys" could hear. "I would rather she have a full trial before they throw her through the veil." She spat out the last as Pomfrey cleared the field, Pansy floating limply in front of her. Hermione waved at the other pair of the trio as she leaned forward and shot back to rejoin the rest of the Gryffindor chasers.

The whistle blew again and play resumed, but now the Slytherins were down a chaser. Harry spiraled upward to look for the snitch and spotted it, flitting about near the base of the Hufflepuff stands. He dove for it, shooting downward. Malfoy was closer, a bit, but it didn't matter as the snitch slid sideways and down into the trench. Harry rolled to his left, hard, and managed to pull up. Draco wasn't quite as quick. He pulled up, mostly, but managed to bang his right arm on the stands hard enough to loose all feeling in that arm. He waved off Hooch as she looked at him and he headed back up. Harry and him orbited each other at two hundred feet above the ground as they watched for the snitch and the game to unfold.

"OH A CLOSE CALL THERE FOR THE SEEKERS, AND HERE WE GO AGAIN, WEASLEY HAS THE QUAFFLE, PASSES TO GRANGER, TO PATIL, OHH CLOSE CALL THERE PAVARTI. OH AND IT LOOKS LIKE GOYLE HAS KNOCKED CRABBE SILLY, OR MAYBE HE ALREADY WAS...OHH LOOKS LIKE CRABBE MANAGED TO NAIL THE KING BEFORE HE WENT DOWN." vast titers of laughter broke out from the Gryffindor stands, and a majority of the Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and even Professors as Pavarti ducked under a bludger hit by Goyle at her, which nailed Crabbe right between the eyes on the other side of the field. He slowly fluttered down as his broom fell like a whirligig to the ground. Before he hit the grass though, Pavarti slid to a stop, flung the quaffle straight up, where it was caught by Ginny and shot through the right hoop once again. CLANG "GRYFFINDOR SCORES AGAIN, FIFTY-FIFTY, IT'S TIED AND ONCE AGAIN WE HAVE AN INJURY TIME OUT." Hooch swooped down on the grass and looked over at Madame Pomfrey on the ground, even while looking up at Ron, who waved her off and started orbiting the hoops once more.

"Well Poppy, what's the verdict?" Hooch hollered down to Madame Pomfrey who was waving her wand over the whale like Slytherin.

Poppy gave a little shrug as she looked up at the Hogwarts flying instructor and Quiddich referee. "Blimey I don't know Rolanda, he's conscious, but he was wrong when I asked how many fingers...but I'm not sure he can count that high anyway." Crabbe groaned as they talked and staggered back to his broom and took back off to the sky, albeit shakily.

Harry swerved over to Ron to examine his friend. "You ok there Ron?" Harry called down as he swerved to a halt. He looked a tad worried as he waited for Ron's reply.

"Oi, my head hurts, but I'll be fine." Ron looked up and shrugged. "Harry end this damn game, please."

"Yeah I better, before it ends in duels." Harry gave a half-hearted little smile as he looked over the pitch and took back off to circle looking for the snitch. The whistle went off again, and the game resumed. Ginny immediately grabbed the quaffle, passed to Hermione, to Pavarti, to Hermione and scored. CLANG. Bulstrode grabbed the quaffle, tossed it to Nott, who tried to toss it to Davis, only to have it stolen by Pavarti who shot it a third of the length of the field to score again. CLANG. With only two chasers and a beater and a half, the Slytherin's sole forlorn hope was Draco, if he caught the Snitch before the score was run up too much. Five more successive goals flew through the Slytherin's hoops before Bulstrode managed to block a shot. She passed the quaffle back to Nott who turned once more to the Gryffindor goals, only to see three chasers and two beaters dancing back and forth. He charged, tucking the quaffle in tight. He took a bludger hit, then another but kept coming. Ginny rolled at him, he dodged out of the way, past Hermione, as she pulled up to miss Pavarti and shot. Ron stretched out to block, only to be nailed by his third bludger of the day. Crabbe in his bumbling, swung his bat wildly, hitting the rebound of the second bludger to hit Nott with the tip of the bat, nailing Ron in the small of the back with the iron ball. Ron spiraled downward; just as the desperate shot flew through the hoops, CLANG.

"OHH BAD HIT THERE, AND NOTT SCORES MAKING THE SCORE ONE TWENTY TO SIXTY GRYFFINDOR" Leslie shouted, almost spitting at the injustice of the hit. Hooch turned to go after Crabbe as he obviously had been out of position when he hit it, but from the look on his face, it was obvious he had no idea he had hit it. McGonagall had given up any pretense on being impartial, she jumped up along with the rest of the Gryffindors screaming and waving at Hooch and at Ron, now tremulously getting to his feet, far below.

Before the Slytherins could make use of the absence of a Gryffindor keeper, Harry had finally found the snitch. He had given chase three additional times in this game, but in the span of ten heartbeats it was over. With a small, little smirk, Harry noticed the snitch flitting behind Bulstrode at the Slytherin goals. Standing his broom on its nose, he dove at the Slytherin goal from above. Malfoy, who was at the opposite end of the pitch, tried, but he knew it was already too late. Bulstrode glanced up, tried to block Harry, a foul in and off itself, but he snap-rolled around her, stretched out his right arm and seized the Snitch.

"THAT'S A WINNER!!!!!" Leslie jumped up and hugged McGonagall, who looked amused at the young lioness' antics. She turned away and smiled broadly into her hands. Leslie continued as she shouted over the ROAR from Luna's hat, at least one conflagration deluxe package of WeasleyWhizBangs, and the thunderous approval of the Gryffindor fans. All of who seemed determined to get down to the pitch to greet the team. "GRYFFIDOR WINS 270-60, GRYFFINDOR KEEPS THE CUP FOR ANOTHER YEAR, AND POTTER WINS AGAIN, AHHHHHHH!" Leslie continued screaming as McGonagall quietly cast a spell to turn off her magic mike, and headed down to join her house on the pitch.

********************A cave somewhere in Northern Scotland**************

"SIRE" a masked, black-hooded figure, shouted behind him, "We have found it." The Death Eater pointed towards the entrance of a cave. The cave was situated quite near the peak of the mountain on the opposite side of Hogwarts as Hogsmeade. He excitedly indicated the carved stone archway inlaid with runes, all of which glowed with an odd purple light. At the very top of the archway, instead of another set of runes, a carved serpent looked down at them, a pair of faintly glowing rubies set into its eyes.

"Good, McNair...Good" A hiss greeted his pronouncement, as a robed figure came up from behind him. Unlike McNair this figure was not masked at all, but the sight of his flat-snake like face, and the sullenly glowing red eyes was far, far more terrible than any mask.

An odd green energy field filled the archway, and as McNair curiously touched it, he was flung backwards, flying through the air past Voldemort. He hit the trail and skidded another ten feet before he stopped. The Death Eaters laughed nastily at his predicament, Voldemort shook his head sadly as he spun to regard the fallen Death Eater. "So foolish McNair...only the heir can pass that barrier, it was only the clues that Salazar left in those old plans that allowed us to find this. And now..." Voldemort turned back to the portal, and hissed, "OPEN" but the words did not come out in English or any other language of men, but of that of snakes. The eyes of the serpent flashed as the stone head turned to examine him, it nodded, the stone grinding with its movements, and the barrier vanished. Voldemort strode forward into the cave.

As he entered the cave, he proceeded down an incredibly smooth passage, one that could have only been produced by magic. A hundred yards later, the passage opened to a round room, about thirty feet in diameter. One by one, torches lit around the circumference of the room. The scene they showed, was surreal, frescos of snakes of all kinds lined the walls, cobras, rattlesnakes, vipers, constrictors. All the snakes were moving slightly, their gaze fixed on the exact center of the room. The object of their attention was a sword held in the jaws of a six-foot, iron cobra. Voldemort smiled darkly as he crossed to the sword. He grasped its hilt, and in a flash of red light, he drew the sword and held it to the light of the torches. The sword of Slytherin, it must be, for it could be no other. The matched Gryffindor and Ravenclaw blades, or the Headmaster's sword for that matter, could honestly be called handsome, or at least attractive for all that they were demonstratively lethal, each weapon as much an example of the extremes of the swordsmith's art, as magical items, or weapons. This sword however, was disturbing. The hilt was composed of black steel, snakes wound around its grip. The guard was composed of two cobras, met at the tails, their flared hoods providing a front and rear guard, with glowing runes similar to those on the entrance to the cave on either side. The hilt held a blade, black as night but wet looking, as if it had just been bathed in oil...or blood. The blade curved back like a scimitar to not one point, but a pair, like a snake's forked tongue. Voldemort raised the blade and laughed.

********************************Hogwarts********************************

Ron was supporting his still weak fiancée, or maybe she him. It was hard to tell after the three consecutive bludger hits he had taken. He had blood on the side of his scalp, but a stupid grin was plastered on his face as he held the Quiddich Cup high above his head. The stands erupted, except for the Slytherins, who hissed and shambled down the steps of their stands.

Harry grinned at him, and then with a leer, he turned to Hermione. She had just landed along with Ginny and Pavarti. Ginny was now dangling off Neville's neck as Pavarti meandered over to the Gryffindor stands. With a raised eyebrow Hermione looked at him, and a corner of her mouth twitched upward. In a voice pitched so no one else could hear over the screaming fans, she asked mischievously, "So Harry, just because you grabbed the snitch, again, you think you can have your way with me?"

Harry shrugged, "Yeah basically," he replied cheekily as he grabbed her about the waist.

She shrugged, "ok", and grabbed his hair as he leaned in. His lips touched hers, and they both shared a connected grin, as Ron shouted, "eww my eyes, my eyes" behind them. Ron shut up quickly as Luna tumbled the pair of them to the ground. Harry laughed as Luna sat on Ron's chest; he still had that same stupid grin.

"Ignore them" Hermione growled throatily, "You were snogging me."

"Oh yeah," The world faded away as his lips touched hers again, and his fingers started in on well-worn patrols in her hair. The kiss turned hotter, as his tongue danced with hers, promising things to come. A flashbulb snapped out from behind them, and then, searing pain flashed through first Harry's head, then a millisecond later, Hermione's. They broke apart, gasping for once from pain, instead of lack of oxygen. Their hands flashed to wands concealed in robes as without thinking the pair of them turned back to back and their senses snapped outward, both animagi and magical. But there was nothing. You ok Hermione?

I'm fine, there's Dumbledore,
Hermione immediately pointed out as she saw the tall wizard talking to a laughing McGonagall near the base of the stands. They knew each other so well they didn't even have to think the discussion anymore; Harry nodded, and grabbing her hand, pulled her through the crowd to the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress.

"That was a wonderfully played game, Mr. Potter, Miss Granger." McGonagall said loudly, carefully using their last names. Harry just nodded briskly.

"Thanks," he muttered as he and Hermione stepped closer to the pair. "Professors my scar just erupted." McGonagall's eyes went wide as she started glancing around. Dumbledore nodded, and his hand slipped inside his robes, to grasp the hilt of his badge of office.

"The wards of the school are secure, what ever it is it is not here." Dumbledore pronounced though he still looked a bit wary. "Go on as you were, I assume that Gryffindor will be having another of their...get togethers for this victory, enjoy it." Harry frowned but nodded in the end, and headed back to the team.

*********************Gryffindor Tower, Hogwarts***************************

1:00 am
March 26, 2006

Harry stood near the edge of the party, a smile plastered on his face. He had one arm around Hermione's waist while the other held a beer. The smile however was only skin deep, and the beer was his first. Hermione was similarly distracted. Unlike their friends they both were absolutely sober, neither had said a thing but both of them were waiting for the other shoe to drop. Dumbledore had tried to reassure them both, even though they knew, that he knew something was up. "Harry" Hermione whispered. She shouldn't have bothered, someone two feet away wouldn't have been able to hear over the noise of the party, if they had been trying.

"Yeah, Hermione" Harry returned as he watched some odd game Ron was playing with one of the forth years. They had the chessboard out, but instead of pieces, the board had rows of shotglasses filled with two different colored liquors. He watched as Ron jumped the other pieces, taking two off the board. He picked up the glasses, gave one to Luna, who was draped across his back, her head poking over his shoulder. They clinked the glasses together and slammed the shots.

"Should we just...I don't know, let it go for the night?" Hermione's eyes gazed into his as she asked, mirroring the worry in his own.

"Probably...this is what I hate though, damn bastard fucks with our life at every turn. We can't even enjoy the party... Screw it, love, lets live dangerously." He grinned at his pronouncement, and her eyes lit as her heart skipped a beat, for in that decision, the Harry of old was back for however long, the carefree boy she had grown up with, not the hardened young man that she lived with now. She loved him no matter what, but this side was beyond charming. He pulled her into a kiss, tasking of chocolate, butterbeer and whatever lip gloss she had on today.

Hermione laughed brightly as she pulled a vial from her pocket and tossed it to him. "Just in case."

"What's this?"

"Sobering Draught." Hermione gave a little shrug, sorry that she had to spoil the moment even for a second. Harry pocketed the vial as she apologized.

It didn't though; Harry pulled her in for another kiss, and murmured against her lips, "that's why I keep you around, for your brain."

"Is that the only reason?" Hermione replied saucily as she ground against him to the beat of a Weird Sisters tune. Her eyes scanned down at a slightly growing reaction.

Harry pulled her in, so close that a sheet of parchment would have issues getting between them, as they both moved slowly to the music. "No, that's the G rated reason though." Hermione giggled, Ron wouldn't have gotten the joke; it was a muggle one. "Unfortunately because of you, I can't exactly move, and I don't have a nice concealing robe, just jeans dear. So as much as I love you...please don't move for a bit." She giggled again, but obliged. After a moment, Harry stepped back and taking her hand, walked over to Ron's impromptu game. Harry reached down and grabbed two shots one handed and handed one to Hermione, "here, Mione." They chinked the glasses and downed the shots.

"HEEEEY" Ron complained, but forgot what he was annoyed about as Luna ably distracted him; he turned and pulled her into a kiss. They both fell to the floor, as Harry stepped over his friend and other friend. Hermione still holding his hand, jumped over the pair as they started rolling around on the floor. Without a conscious thought, Hermione flowed into his arms once more, hers rising to his neck, then her fingers slid into his hair as they flowed together, their bodies moving slowly despite the increasing pace of the song, their eyes slipping closed as their lips met again, Voldemort be damned.


A/N the sword is in play...next chapter: Ferret Training and the return of an old friend.


Built by Text2Html

36. Ferret Training

I still own nothing, especially the characters. JKR still does though.


Chapter 36 Ferret Training.
****************************Room of Requirement**************************

March 28, 2006
2:00 am

"What the hell am I doing standing in this cold arse hallway at two in the bloody morning?" Draco Malfoy snarled as he stood leaning against the wall next to an odd old tapestry. The tapestry currently showed several trolls in tutus chasing an old looking wizard around a dance hall with clubs. The tiny wizard dove out of the picture, followed by several trolls in hot pursuit. He blew a loose, pale lock of hair out of his eyes as he stared at a blank section of wall across from the tapestry.

"Your arse is here to learn." Came the unexpected response from next to him. Suddenly Harry Potter appeared, looking no happier than Draco to be at this particular place at this particular moment. "Come on." Harry waved, and walked towards the blank section of wall. A door appeared suddenly, and opened from within to reveal Hermione standing there. She had a cup of coffee in each hand, and without a word handed one to Harry. A brief smile of thanks flitted across his lips. His face grew stony as he turned back, "well come on."

Draco glowered at him, but entered the room anyway. The Room of Requirement had decided that it needed to be a training salle tonight. "Well don't I get a cup Granger?" Draco asked, in a mock, sweet tone.

"You're a wizard, get it yourself." She snapped back and paced over to a table across the room and leaned on it. Harry joined her and she looked at Draco like he was a small rodent and she was in her animagus form, as she sipped her coffee. Which on further consideration was pretty much the case.

"You are here Draco, because while your Dark Arts skills may be up to scratch, your Defense against those Dark Arts is not." Harry pronounced with absolutely no visible emotion.

"And you expect me to learn to fight the Dark Lord with what you teach me in the middle of the night?" Draco shot back, his aristocratic drawl thicker than ever.

"Honestly, no." Hermione said with a small, odd smile. "There are few who could stand against him, and you are not now, nor for the foreseeable future one of those. You can however learn enough to fight his Death Eaters, or his minions. For instance can you perform a patronus?"

"No. And most of the rest of the seventh years can't either." Draco objected absently.

"Actually quite a few of them can." Harry replied softly, "Some of them like Hermione, since their fifth year. They have also been trained to fight as a team or individually, to use stealth or misdirection when necessary, to think on their feet, and to expect their plans to be buggered up." Harry stood up and slipped fully into his Professor mode as he paced back and forth. The other two in the room followed him with their eyes as he strode in front of the table. "Actually I need for you to be in the with the DA or Order training, but I can't. Most of them, even those who are in the know, would probably Kedavra your arse as soon as look at you. And so, Hermione and I are here giving up our sleep to try to help you survive. Voldemort has not yet given you the mark, but I know that your parents think you tried to execute on their plan. The Order has been intercepting your communications with him."

"WHAT!" Draco sputtered.

"Interesting being on the other side isn't it Draky?" Hermione quipped, but stopped at a glance from Harry, he smiled slightly at her, before blanking his face as he turned back to Draco.

"Yeah isn't Draco?" Harry sighed as he summoned a pair of wooden swords; he tossed one to Draco. "Tonight we will start with your weapons work, I've already seen your spellwork. I assume that your family still uses steel as well as a wand?"

"Of course" Draco replied heatedly.

"Fine." Harry flipped the wooden sword underhanded to Hermione, "Mione. I want to watch for a moment."

"Ohhh fine." She finished her coffee, "Protego Duelus" She walked to the center of the room, about six feet from Draco. She raised the sword one handed to her forehead and saluted. "Salute Draco." She growled. He glared but complied. She smiled and MOVED, snapping in a cut at his side. His sword moved, but far too late to prevent the strike. She pulled it at the very, very last instant, but it still stung despite the wards.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT." Draco stomped a foot as he attacked her, Hermione easily blocked, one, two, ten strikes. She never budged an inch or broke a sweat. Finally she grew tired of the game, Draco snapped another assault at her head, she ducked the strike, spun, sweeping his legs out from under him, swatting his arse with the flat of her sword for good measure as he fell, flat on his back, to find the point of her practice sword hovering unquaveringly at his throat.

Harry walked up behind her as she stood there and looked down at him. He waved off Hermione's sword she walked back over the table and summoned a refill for her coffee. Harry extended a hand to Draco. Draco glared at Harry's hand until with a great sigh, he took it to be pulled to his feet. "Here Draco" Hermione came over and handed him a cup of coffee.

"Let me guess Draco, your father taught you?" Harry said with a slight frown. Draco nodded, not knowing where it was going as he took a sip of the coffee gingerly, half expecting it to be poisoned. "You do realize that you could be much better than you are, don't you?" Harry summoned Draco's fallen wooden sword, and handed it back to him. "Your magic, your swordsmanship, everything has built in errors, almost like your father was making sure he could always beat you. Here's the deal Draco. Hermione and I are not going to train you full time, we don't have the time, or frankly the patience. We also can't put you in with the rest of the DA sessions, and the Order members are obviously operational so we can't risk you there. The deal for your continued survival and ability to stay in school and out of Azkaban or worse; is that you feed Voldemort information that we provide. Unlike Snape, we are going to do all we can to keep you as far apart from Voldemort as possible. You plainly do not have the Occlumency skills to keep Tom from raping your mind.

Dumbledore by all rights should have been here tonight, but he pawned this off on us. You will train at odd times such as this," Hermione flipped Draco a galleon. "That coin is under a protean charm. The coin will grow warm and the numbers will change to show you the time and date of your training secessions. At the same time, whichever Order member that has drawn the short straw for that evening will help you with your training, along with learning anything that may have been passed along to you by other means than owl. I warn you Draco, despite your not being directly responsible for the deaths of Hermione's parents," Hermione carefully looked away at that moment, "or the other myriad assaults that have occurred, you are on very thin ice, don't forget. Any information that you receive and don't pass on, any unexplained action, could very well lead to your termination in the most literal sense. Right now we all know you are here, because we are more dangerous to you than Voldemort."

Harry crossed his arms and the temperature in the room seemed to drop several degrees, even though a fire was roaring in a corner fireplace, "Please believe me Draco, I...we have lost too many of those we care about in this war, we will not hesitate an instant if we think you are remotely threatening anyone we care about though conscious action or inaction." Harry uncrossed his arms, as Draco gulped despite himself, "Now that that is taken care of, let's work on your blocks, shall we, on guard."

******************************Riddle Mansion*****************************

Hundreds of miles away, the darkness was emulating the light. Meetings were being held, that were such that Voldemort did not want known in any fashion, even his emotions, by a certain young nemesis. For the first time since his return, Voldemort concentrated on his Occlumency, carefully blocking any sign of this meeting from Harry. Voldemort sat at the end of a long, dim room, the throne-like chair he rested on was a dark, twisted copy of Dumbledore's chair in the Great Hall at Hogwarts, instead of his usual army of Death Eaters attending him, only his most trusted minions were present. Lucius Malfoy stood at his left hand, while Bellatrix Lestrange sat at his feet to his right. Behind the throne a bit, Peter Pettigrew cowered. Once Antonin Dolohov might have been included in this gathering, but he had died at the hands of Potter's mudblood. Voldemort blanked that angry thought as well, and peered into the darkness, his cat-pupiled eyes dilating as if to gather more light. After another long moment, Voldemort coughed, and spoke over his shoulder, "Very well Wormtail, let them in."

Peter did not look overly enthused at that command, in fact he looked absolutely terrified, but he scampered to the end of the hallway nevertheless and opened the entrance door. As soon as the door opened, a terrible sense of artic cold was felt in the room, and a trio of black, cloaked figures swept into the room. The three all appeared to be at least 6'5", and almost glided over the old, worn stone floor, not a sound marked their passage as they passed the length of the room, and stopped before Voldemort. The dark cloaks hid the faces of the newcomers, and their hands were hidden in voluptuous sleeves. The trio held a striking resemblance to the hated Dementors, with the exceptions that these dark ones walked, their cloaks were pristine and suddenly with a harsh rasping voice, the lead one talked. "Riddle, our bargain."

"You dare to call the utter the dark lord's na...URKK" Bellatrix's protest was cut shot, as with a negligent wave of a still hidden hand, the dark creature on the right flung her across to crash into the stone wall, scattering a low table holding a tea set. Malfoy and Wormtail both reached for wands, Voldemort however laughed coldly and did not move.

"Please. Do not abuse my followers...that is my job." Voldemort hissed, and steepled his fingers in front of his face, so that his searing red orbs peered out from either side of the point they made. "Now, as to business. I have let your cousins roam free, and have freed them from the control of the Ministry. When will I expect your assistance?"

"When we wish, Riddle. Do not forget that we helped you in your days wandering the wilderness; it was us who showed you the way." The leftmost one responded darkly, a warning in its tone.

"Be gone then until you learn your place," Voldemort growled, "I am much more than you could ever imagine."

"Beware yourself...human." The center one snarled and turned to leave, "Your enemy grows powerful, and as to ourselves, you have no idea of our true power. The dark trio strode from the room, the large doors booming shut behind them without a command or a person at them. The center dark one looked at the other two, their faces and bodies still completely hidden, "We must look for one more tractable...our brethren have waited far too long, and the ones beyond still wait for our signal, after all of these years." The other two nodded and all three vanished between the space of two heartbeats with three identical ripping sounds, like someone was tearing a vast roll of cloth.

******************************Hogwarts**********************************

March 28, 2006
4:00 am.

Harry watched the door close behind Draco, and sat down heavily on the couch that the room had just conjured for him. It wasn't the training for Draco that had tired him, but the fact in about a half hour, the both of them will have been awake since yesterday at this time. Hermione simply flopped down, trusting him to catch her in his lap. "Can we skive off classes today?" Harry asked softly, tiredly.

Hermione looked as if she were seriously considering the question, then with a small smile she asked, "it's Tuesday right?" She yawned as Harry nodded, "Ok, we are officially doing self directed studies. I officially don't have the energy to go to class. I think that this couch is just right." She stretched out on the couch; her head cradled and closed her eyes. "Harry, remind me when I wake up to dock us points for skipping classes."

"Ok, Mione." Harry muttered back as he summoned a silk cushion from the floor to serve as a pillow. It flew to his hand and he tucked it behind his head, careful to not disturb the sleeping witch.

*************************Hagrid's Hut********************************

8:00 am

"'Ello Class." Hagrid shouted as the assorted seventh years clustered around. Spring had sprung at Hogwarts, and the trees were blooming. The cry of a thestral echoed over the grounds as it flew to its home in the forest and above them, a squadron of school owls wheeled, heading towards the Owlery and sleep, all nice, normal, well relatively normal occurrences, and not one to cause anyone any discomfort.

No what sent a quiver of fear through the lion's hearts of the seventh year Gryffindors, along with their fellows from other houses, was the expression on Hagrid's face. It wasn't scary, or wild, no. No, today Hagrid was very possibly the happiest any of the students had ever seen him, well possibly discounting the time the trio had seen Maxine leaving Hagrid's first thing in the morning and him standing at the door, a curious expression on his face. Pavarti and Lavender edged closer together, Neville nervously twirled his wand in his fingers, while Seamus and Dean carefully took turns scanning the treeline of the forbidden forest and the sky. Ron looked over at them and Neville shrugged. Hagrid looked about the class and squinted as if not seeing something he was used too. "Ron where's 'arry and "ermione?"

"I don't know sir, sick perhaps." Ron replied easily, he really didn't know.

"Oh...Oh well they will be sorry they missed this." Hagrid said as he turned to get something from his cabin.

"I think they like their limbs too much to be terribly sorry." Seamus shot to Ron in an undertone. Ron nodded and resumed his search. Suddenly, a vast, terrible roar echoed over the trees, and as one, all of the members of the Order and or DA who had been at Hogsmeade last June reached for wands. Ron's wand quested for a target; he had heard a roar like that three times in his life, first at the first task of the tri-wizard, then in Romania with a visit to his brother Charlie, and finally, in the desperate fighting at Hogsmeade. He remembered quite well diving for cover as that roar preceded the twin fireballs that had devastated Honeydukes and Zonkos, and had cost too many young lives.

Hagrid did not flinch, only smiled wider, "ah there he is." He turned and pointed into the edge of the forest where several trees were quaking, and then as they watched, four huge pines fell to the earth to reveal a huge, green form. "Today, we will look at old Norbert."

"Norbert" Ron hissed disbelievingly as he took in the Norwegian ridgeback. Norbert was almost twice the size of the horntail Harry had tangled with in their forth year, which made him...absolutely humongous. Last time Ron had seen the dragon, he could have picked him up like a kitten, but now the dragon might very well be a hundred feet long. Norbert's huge head turned and looked at them all, his ice blue eyes glowing with an odd light as he looked at Ron, like he recognized Ron after all this time.

Hagrid smiled even broader at them all as he noticed the pointed wands. "Don't worry, Norbert here is as much a part of Hogwarts as you are. He won't hurt a student. Now who can tell me about Dragons?" A stunned silence responded to his inquiry. Hermione wasn't here, and no one else had thought to look up dragons, though honestly if they weren't all shocked speechless someone would have probably known more than a little about the subject. Almost all wizards were interested in dragons, and Ron in particular had a brother who worked as a dragon-keeper at times. But they normally weren't standing fifty feet from the most lethal, and at the same time, most majestic creature in the wizarding world. Hagrid shook his head in disbelief, as he couldn't imagine that everyone wasn't as impressed as he was. "Fine since no one seems to know anything...Dragons are currently rated XXXXX as some folks think they are dangerous. But they merely can take care of themselves. Dragonhide is particularly spell resistant, and their blood has many uses as Professor Dumbledore is noted for discovering. Actually almost every part of a dragon can be important for some use. So...everyone please give me three feet on the uses of Dragons along with a labeled diagram of those parts by next week. Now...'Arther round, 'ather round, and old Norbert here will let us examine him."

The class crept towards the dragon at a speed that could have easily been beaten by a frozen flouberworm. Hagrid ignored this too, and started using a stripped tree branch to point out important parts of the dragon, occasionally using the branch to scratch the dragon behind the ear holes. After an hour of the class taking turns hiding behind each other and fighting off urges to volley reductos at the dragon they headed off, back to the castle and their next class. Ron turned to leave, but at a yell from Hagrid, he turned back.

"Good luck mate" Dean muttered in passing as he and the rest hurried as far away as possible.

"Ha Ha" Ron muttered under his breath as he headed back towards Hagrid. Norbert had lain down and was currently sunning himself in the morning sun. "Yeah Hagrid."

"You'll tell 'arry and 'ermione about the assignment?" Hagrid asked unnecessarily.

"Sure" Ron said, obviously wanting to leave.

"Ron tell them...they already 'ave the keys" Hagrid shrugged, "I don't know either." And with that he spun and headed for his hut, totally ignoring the snoring Dragon on his way.

*************************Headmaster's Office**********************

10:00pm

A roaring fire crackled in the grate as Severus Snape settled into a comfortable armchair facing the headmaster. Dumbledore sat behind his desk, a mug of something in one hand while he read over several parchments on his desk. Over to one side, McGonagall was sipping a cup as she watched out the window and saw a huge shadow wheel past the castle. Shaking her head she turned to Dumbledore, an odd expression on her face, it wasn't fear precisely, but more one of apprehension. "Albus are you sure it was a good idea to let Hagrid have the dragon back?"

"It will be fine Minerva," Dumbledore replied without looking up from his work, "Norbert has agreed to the position, and the binding geas. He can not harm a student." The fire in his hearth turned a vivid emerald, and a second later, the bespectacled form of Arthur Weasley appeared, followed closely by Mad-Eye, Lupin and Tonks. "Excellent, we can begin." Dumbledore waved them to seats, and summoned a cup of coffee at each of the newcomers' elbows. "Severus if you will."

Snape looked around at those in the room, but was interrupted by Lupin before he could begin. "Albus I thought this was an intelligence briefing, shouldn't one of the student members be here, Harry, Hermione, Ron perhaps?" Snape visibly bit back a response to that question as Dumbledore shook his head slightly.

"No, that will not be necessary, I will let Harry know what he needs to know." Dumbledore did not quite meet Remus' eyes as he responded.

Lupin was obviously not happy with that retort. He and Tonks shared a look; he leaned back in his chair and stared at the Headmaster. "Your promise Albus."

Dumbledore frowned, but nodded, "fine you may tell him, and by extension Hermione, if you choose. There are reasons." Dumbledore took a sip of his beverage as he set the last of his parchments down on his desk.

"Let's hear what Severus has to say then, Albus" McGonagall put in to stop the argument; she turned back from the window and adjusted her glasses as she looked at him.

Snape took this as a command and began, his tone was a little annoyed as if he were performing a task that he thought arduous, or beneath him. "Our remaining sources have given us some new information. First, Potter." The name came out in a snarl, he took a calming breath as the werewolf glared at him, and yawned so as to show his fangs. "Potter, did get some information from Draco this morning during his training session, it seems his father mentioned something in a recent communication about a meeting last night. But he did not know what it was. It appears that the Malfoys have a set of secure communication mirrors like the Order has. Potter evidentially threatened him with death if he held anything out."

"I'd give the lad more credit than that Severus," Mad-Eye said with a chuckle, "I'd bet it was more of a promise. Makes me proud."

"Ah-hem" Dumbledore coughed, "please continue."

"As I said Potter got the information from Malfoy that his father was supposed to attend a meeting early this last morning, however he did not know what it was about. Of course Lucius could have already assumed that his son has turned and is planting false hints, but if so we will have to deal with that. Putting aside the absolute veracity of that report, for now, there are indications of some sort of falling out between the Dementors and the Dark Lord's forces. Perhaps they sucked the souls of some of his followers. It should be noted that there have been very few reports of their use in close concert with Death Eaters since they were fought off Christmas before last."

"Wotcher Snape, you mean before Hermione fought them off in that botched raid of the Death Eaters on Canton don't you?" Tonks smiled through long green hair that fell down in front of one side of her face.

"Ur...yes" Snape agreed reticently, "Since then the Dementors have mostly been seen to operate independent of any Death Eater support, such as the attack on Potter at Diagon Alley in January. As to the other information, Headmaster, we have identified the Death Eaters present in the attacks at the Burrow and the Grangers' last summer." Several more looks were shared at that revelation, Arthur looked particularly anxious for this information, even though he already had his suspicions. Lupin's eyes narrowed as he focused his attention on the Slytherin Head, he suddenly knew why the teens had not been invited.

Dumbledore surveyed the room before waving for Snape to finish. "As to the Burrow, it was as we suspected, Bellatrix was the leader, and Dolohov was with her inside. We are not sure who killed the Aurors on duty; it is probable that more Death Eaters were present. Now as to the Grangers, Malfoy was there and left, and we have found out that Xavier Hamilton was the one, who umm, led the 'entertainment' of the Grangers. Even though Dolohov took the credit more or less at Privet Drive, he was most likely not there. The list," Snape tossed a parchment on Dumbledore's desk, "gives the names of those we think were there, it does include the ones Granger killed escaping and the two Potter did in when he went back afterwards. I am not sure why you had our sources getting this information Dumbledore, unless you plan on giving it to Potter and Granger, and if that was the case, why aren't they here? I assure you my talents could have been better utilized..." Snape's last utterance was utterly condescending, but his mouth snapped closed as a pair of cold, ancient, blue eyes glared at him over the top of a pair of half-moons.

"Actually yes, Severus" Dumbledore was suddenly icy with his Potions Professor, and everyone in the room, felt a faint twinge of fear. "I will eventually share this with them, but that was not the sole reason I had you gather this information." Dumbledore did not elaborate, and no one here felt the stones to ask just why.







Built by Text2Html

37. A Night of Fire

Chapter 37: A Night of Fire
******************************Riddle Mansion*****************************
"You summoned us, my Lord?" Bellatrix asked, her eyes downcast as she, Lucius, McNair, Rodolphus, and Xavier bowed to him. Voldemort turned in his chair as Pettigrew placed a goblet of a slightly smoking liquid on a small table at his elbow. Wormtail bowed and scampered to join the rest of the Death Eater elite.

"Yes, Bella, I have." Voldemort reached into the depths of his robes and pulled a sheet of parchment from them. His pupils narrowed to tiny lines as his eyes grew brighter, their blood-red glow coloring the faces of his disciplines. "One of our agents within Hogwarts found this list a while ago and thought it might be of interest." Voldemort chuckled as he flung the parchment to Bellatrix; it fluttered open as it crossed the several feet to her hands, enough to read the heading, "Dumbledore's Army."

*********************Dover, England**************************

March 30, 2006
9:00 pm

"Seline, did you pick up any butterbeer?" Elliot Abbot shouted as he passed into the kitchen, pulling off an old comfortable robe that he had worn out into the field. He had just returned from the seashore, where he along with three other wizards from the Office of the Control of Magical Creatures had had to work on keeping Nessie's big brother Bob hidden from the Muggles, he had been called in since he lived near the incident. The kelpie had a lair somewhere in the white, chalk cliffs and had taken recently to trying to make it into Muggle photos like his little sister.

A soft laugh came from the front room, where Seline was playing a game of exploding snap with Hannah's younger sister Lisa. Lisa was about to start Hogwarts in the fall, just like her bigger sis whom she idolized. She even had taken to wearing a WWW shirt that her sister had given her of two wizards standing in front of the school looking up at a dragon, the dragon wore a shirt that had the letters DA on it, but when Seline had curiously asked Hannah about it, she had said she had no idea if it meant anything. "Sure hun, in the icebox."

"Thanks..." But before he could go on, a loud knock was heard from the hall door. "I wonder who that could be." He muttered as he walked to the front hallway and to the entrance door. With the hand that held his butterbeer, he pulled open the curtain to see who it was this late at night. He never noticed the bottle shattering as it hit the floor; his brain only registered the hood and the mask, "SELINE, GET LISA OUT NOW!!!!!!" He turned to run back as the door exploded behind him, and a dark cloaked figure strode through the gap...a distant CRACK answered his prayers, right before a flash of green lit the room.

*************************Diagon Alley, London****************************
10:15 pm

A young, vibrant woman steeped out of the back alley behind the Leaky Caldron. Her crimson and gold Gryffindor Lions jumper identified her as a current or former Gryffindor student. With a flourish, she turned and walked down the street, heading for the Weasley Twins' store, where she was supposed to meet the twins along with Alicia, Angelina and Lee for a night out. Between her professional Quiddich play and occasional assignments for the Order of the Phoenix, she hadn't had a night out in a while. As she passed Knockturn Alley she shivered a bit and wrapped her cloak, more firmly about herself.

She did not see the dark shadow that detached itself from the alley in her wake, nor did she feel a jolt of cold as another and another followed. Finally as she reached #93 she smiled and not paying attention to the closed sign that hung in the window she opened the door and went on in. A bell rang as the door opened.

"OI KATIE" Fred yelled as he turned from placing something on a shelf. He motioned toward the other end of the shop where George and the rest were playing a game of Wizard Chess, but it must have been one of the special sets, as everyone except Angelina was laughing as a tiny knight jumped off the board and started chasing her. Fred turned to walk over to the game, picking up several butterbeers from behind the counter by their necks, when the entry bell rang again. Fred started to turn back, "Sorry mate we're.... OH BLOODY HELL."

The first green bolt snapped out and impacted Katie in the center of the back. She fell lifelessly to the floor as Fred rolled behind the counter. The first Death Eater in was followed immediately by two more. Fred grinned darkly as he pressed a button under the counter and a pair of Very Fanged Frisbees bulleted out and seconds later; there was once again only one whole Death Eater, and four halves of two more. A stunner ricocheted off a hastily erected shield as George got in the act. The girls started firing as well, but four more Death Eaters, came in behind the cover of their compatriot's shield. And at least ten more could be seen through the windows to the alley. Behind the counter, and across the way, crouched behind a set of shelves with the girls, the twins shared an identical frown and a slow, sad nod. George eased his wand out from behind the counter, but instead of pointing it at the Death Eaters, he pointed it at the body of their friend. "Envesco" The body vanished and George nodded once more.

The girls kept up a furious counterfire while the boys pointed their wands straight up, "DELAYUS MOMENTA SURPRISE" behind the counter and behind the shelf, both twins hit small knots in the wood floor and trapdoors snapped open and closed, dropping the four away, on giant versions of the Gryffindor girls dorm stairs when a boy tried to get up them.

Back in the shop the rest of the Death Eaters crowded into the shop. The leader whipped off his mask to reveal the face of Mulciber, one of the Death Eaters that had been at the battle of the Department of Mysteries. All was quiet, then BANG. A single wizbang erupted in the middle of the room, instantly drawing a hand with a single finger extended. The hand was immediately replaced with a fiery 5...4...all eleven or so of the remaining Death Eaters turned to try to escape or apparate out, but to their horror, they couldn't...3...2...1

A tower of fire lit the night, wards channeling the explosion upward and away from any other shops.

*********************Pendle Hill, Lancashire***********************

"Bloody old bat isn't here." A hooded man snarled as he came out of a neat white house. He waved at the house with his wand and muttered another imprecation.

"It does not matter, though I would have liked my return to this house to be marked with the cries of another Longbottom. Burn it down, she would not have lasted as long as Frank or Alice anyway. Not nearly as much fun." Bellatrix vanished with a CRACK, as the Death Eater returned to the house, "Morsmordre" A sickly-green skull appeared over the house as the Death Eaters touched the dry timbers of the house with their wands, "INCENDIO" Flames erupted instantly in the house as the Death Eaters vanished.

**************************London**********************************

"Beth did you see the latest letter from Justin. It's just so cool for an OWL to deliver the mail. I wish we could send all of our mail that way." Bethany Finch-Fletchley turned from her computer in the corner of the living room and rolled her eyes at her husband. She laughed inwardly at her husband of twenty years as he sat down to read the parchment from their son.

"Yeah Van I did." She turned back to the paper she was grading, from one of her primary school students, still shaking her head. On the telley, a newscaster came on, taking about a mysterious fire that had appeared in the night sky in downtown London, that firefighters had not been able to find a source for. A soft RING sounded through the house, "I wander who that could be at this hour, Van can you get the door?" Her husband sat, not moving except for his eyes watching the moving picture Justin had included with the letter showing himself in a group of about thirty other teens his age.

All of the teens were dressed similarly, in black robes over school uniforms, only the trim differed, some sapphire, some ruby, some amethyst, and two lone kids in the middle with robes trimmed with emerald. Justin was in the picture laughing at something a quite messy, black haired young man said down near the center of the picture. RING. "Van..." She rolled her eyes again as she got up to go to the door. She opened the door to find a tall, thin man, with piercing gray eyes, a long thin face, and hair so pale as to almost be translucent.

"Mrs. Finch-Fletchley?" The man asked in a drawling voice, similar to those she had heard on the telley on specials about the Royals. She nodded. "Mother of Justin...a student at Hogwarts?" She automatically nodded before her brain caught up.

"Wha...Justin goes to a boarding school." She tried to object, with the standard lie of muggle parents.

He smiled cruelly, "I know better muggle, CRUCIO" Her scream pierced the darkness. Van jumped up at her scream and ran to the front door. Without warning, a shaft of jade punctured the night next to Malfoy's ear. Even under the Cruciatus, Bethany's screams redoubled. "Finite" and did not stop when Malfoy lifted the curse and walked calmly away. At the bottom of the stairs he stopped and looked back. "When Dumbledore comes in response to our attack on one of his mudbloods, tell him. Tell him, he will pray for death before we let him die."

A putrid green skull floated over the house as Malfoy and a single masked accomplice vanished. Bethany jumped as the CRACK echoed out, as she cradled her husband's lifeless body.

*************************Ottery, St. Catchpole************************

"ARTHUR" Molly screamed from her place at the kitchen window, in response her husband and Bill came running into the room. She waved a hand out at the window a sullen glow lit the horizon, "Isn't that the about where the Lovegood's house is?"

"Yes Molly," Arthur snapped and led the three of them out the door. Unnoticed behind them, right as the door slammed closed, the grandfather clock let out a KA-CHUNK as the hands representing Fred and George snapped to mortal peril. As they turned to look at the fire, a horrible klaxon erupted, the sound coming from nowhere, as ten Death Eaters appeared from out of the woods. A green bolt snapped past Arthur's ear, blowing a chunk out of the wall of the Burrow as he swept Molly to the ground.

That was as close as the Death Eaters got however, with the sound of a loud, continuous CRACK that lasted a good thirty seconds, twenty Aurors appeared on the lawn, to join the five permanently stationed here. A sudden torrent of green and red spells shot out from the newcomers' wands, and the assault died a hundred meters from any target.

*****************************Hogwarts********************************

"BLOODY HELL" Harry snarled as pain seared his scar, almost as if a hot poker had been held to his forehead. The emotion, the dark happiness of his foe was staggering as he looked up to see Crookshanks jump up and hiss at the air. An instant later, Hermione came running up the stairs, a tired, pained look in her eyes. She mutely shook her head as she dropped down on the couch next to him. The flare of fire that lit the room a moment later was somehow, not a surprise, but merely a dark confirmation. Harry summoned his trainers with a flick of a wand, laced them and stood up. Without a word, he led her out down the stairs, out the portrait hole, and through the castle to the second floor entrance of Dumbledore's office.

The Gargoyle did not even wait, but stepped aside as they approached. The old oak door stood closed, its griffin knocker gleaming in the torchlight. Several voices were heard from in the room, they stopped abruptly as Harry knocked and entered.

There was no twinkle in Dumbledore's eye as he swiveled to regard them. He just nodded and waved towards the crowd standing or sitting in front of his desk. Mad-Eye stood with Tonks, Lupin and McGonagall, each looking nervous, as if they all had been called for something, they knew was bad and were waiting for the other shoe to fall. Harry walked over to the wall near a tall, glass-fronted bookcase and leaned against it, Hermione perched next to him and absently petted Fawkes as he settled next to the pair.

Mad-Eye's eye spun to glare at them, he nodded, and Dumbledore took a deep breath. "Tonight, Death Eaters have struck at several sites in Britain and abroad. Their targets all appear to be the parents of students, former students or a combination thereof." Harry glanced over at Lupin who had grabbed, Tonks shoulder, and hung on Dumbledore's words like a wolf being told its pack had been slaughtered. Dumbledore's eyes scanned the room, but did not quite meet those of any of the people present. His words seemed to hang in the silence of the room as not a device was stirring, nor was a painting conversing. Every sentient or quasi-sentient in the room was waiting. "There does seem to be a connection, in their choice of targets...all of those targeted tonight, were original members of the DA or the parents of those original members." If a pin had been dropped in the room it would have sounded like an anvil. No one seemed to be able to speak, until...

"How many?" Harry asked softly, his whisper audible in every part of the round room.

"Several...and we are not sure yet, how many. I have sent Order members or Arthur has sent Aurors to every house or location of the parents or former students if they have already left Hogwarts."

Hermione eyes flicked over to Harry, and back to Dumbledore, "how many...Albus?" She asked softly, flatly. McGonagall hissed under her breath at the implied disrespect, but he waved her down.

"So far, we have heard of attacks in Dover, Lancashire, London and...Ottery St. Catchpole." The last site escaped as every head snapped to his. Dumbledore shook his head, "The Burrow is safe; the upgraded defenses were adequate for now. Miss Lovegood's home however was destroyed. Her father was working at the time, so he is safe as well. Mister Longbottom's home also found the same fate, though luckily, in that case also, his grandmother was staying with his Aunt. Miss Chang was attacked at the Auror Academy in London, she was injured slightly; however she managed to fight off the attacker, a Death Eater that had infiltrated her class."

Harry's head dropped as he listened, knowing that those had been the warm ups, he was right. "For the rest, that we know of right now, we were not so lucky. Miss Abbot's father was killed buying time for her mother and sister to escape. They are both here now. Mr. Finch-Fletchley's father was also killed and his mother was subjected to the Cruciatus Curse. Even though she is a muggle, I have had her taken to St. Mungo's." Harry's face was lifeless as he heard the news. His hand dropped to his wand, fingers absently tapping it as he waited for the rest. "Katie Bell was killed at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes in Diagon Alley. However there as was the case at the Burrow, Voldemort's forces took heavy losses, it seems Fred and George had a surprise waiting for unexpected guests. The store was utterly destroyed, but they lessened Voldemort's forces by perhaps as many as twenty, though no number of Death Eaters is worth a single one of those we lost tonight."

As expected this last thought did not placate Harry, his eyes grew dark and troubled, even more than they had been at the start of the recounting. He turned to Hermione, their eyes met, and the sparkle was gone in her eyes as well, the pair of them looked dull and lifeless. He slid noiselessly to the floor, she following as if they were connected. No one else moved, and it was probably lucky for Snape that he wasn't here, as a comment would probably have gotten him killed. My fault, my fault, my fault...

No Harry...its mine, I came up with the idea...
Hermione's lip quivered as she looked at him.

Hermione, they followed me. Katie, Justin... hell even Cho. And what about those parents, who asked them to fight?

Who asked mine?
Her thoughts snapped back, her heart sunk even lower as he flinched, his eyes dropping from hers. Oh, Merlin Harry...Love, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.

It's ok, you're right.
Harry sighed as he looked down at his hands. They were twisting together, his knuckles going white with suppressed anger.

Reaching over, Hermione grabbed his hands with hers, quieting their movement. She left one hand on his while the other gently pried his eyes back to hers. No I am not...you are about the only person I'd ever admit that to, you know that right? Harry's lips quirked for an instant before he sighed once more and dropped his head to hers, foreheads touching, you know, who is responsible. Tom Riddle, not Harry Potter.

I want the fucker dead...Mione, I want to go and hunt him down...

Ok...let's go; we know where he is.

I'm not kidding Hermione.

Honestly, I'm not either.
Harry nodded slightly, and standing, pulled them both to their feet. He took her hand and headed for the door to the office. Fawkes trilled as he fluttered over to Dumbledore. Every eye, magical and real, tracked them as they crossed to the door. Without a word or a gesture to the rest, Hermione reached out and tried to turn the knob; it would not yield.

Without turning around Harry spoke to the door, "I am not fifteen any longer, Grandfather." Water would have frozen at the temperature of his words. "You know we can open this door, though it might cost you the door."

"Where are you going, Harry?" Dumbledore asked softly.

"We are going to end this, just the two of us. I'd go alone, but she'd follow me anyway." Harry replied.

"That is what he wants Harry..." McGonagall interjected, "to have you walk into his hands. To have both of you walk into his clutches."

Lupin turned and looked at him pleadingly, "Harry, I lost your..."

Harry closed his eyes as he interrupted, still not turning to face the rest of them, "Moony, as much as I would love for them to be alive, we are not the reincarnations of James and Lily, they proved they couldn't stand toe to toe with Riddle. We can. We're the only ones who can. Let's go Hermione." She opened the door, and a shining, shimmering field filled the doorway, a tentative touch proved that it was impassible.

With a snarl Harry spun back to Dumbledore to see that the wizard was now standing, his eyes lit white. "Let. Us. Go. Dumbledore."

"No" Dumbledore replied simply. Harry shook his head, took a breath, and the room suddenly crackled with power. His shining blue eyes glared at the old wizard as neither moved. Hermione eased closer to Harry and looked over the room, she had yet to call on her powers, but every wizard and witch in the room, could feel she was but a heartbeat away from doing so. Lupin started towards Harry, but stopped at a gesture from Dumbledore and moved back to where Tonks was standing with Mad-Eye and McGonagall, that older pair, was barely breathing.

"I will fight you." Harry stated softly, his face stony. Hermione's eyes flicked to his face, and the smallest of nods graced her neck. The room grew cold, and Fawkes vanished in a flare of fire.

"Hermione stop him," McGonagall cried desperately as she looked between the two, the very air was shimmering between them, like the haze above a asphalt road on a hot summer's day.

"No." Hermione replied, "I won't, we're in this together, no matter what." McGonagall swallowed hard at that response from her Head Girl. With a snap, Hermione's magic came to her call. Loose pages started ruffling around the room as a wind from out of nowhere arrived. Hermione's illuminated eyes met Harry's with a small, sad smile. You know, this might be enough to get us expelled.

Harry's continuance never changed as he continued to stare down perhaps the most powerful light wizard in the world, yeah, sorry about that, Mione. Neither Harry, nor Hermione, nor Dumbledore had drawn a wand as of yet, but hands hovered near sheaths and pockets and spells quivered on lips unspoken.

The lines were drawn, the silence deafening, when Dumbledore shook his head tiredly and sank to his chair once more, his eyes fading to their normal light blue. "Fine, go then, however I will ask one thing."

"What?" Harry said as the field in the open door vanished, revealing the waiting room and staircase outside.

"If after what I say to you now, you still think we should end it tonight, I will call the full Order and we will all go." Dumbledore's quiet pronouncement shocked the other elder wizards and witches in the room. Lupin smiled darkly as he pulled Tonks close to him. He shook his head down at her as she looked up at him questioningly. Dumbledore looked over at Mad-Eye while the grizzled Auror pulled a wand from his robes, speaking into it softly, a soft voice came back and he nodded. "Alastor has just alerted them, Harry, they will go." The soft light in the room, from the various torches, candles and lamps lit his craggy face as he looked at his Head Students, his eyes dark with emotion.

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but was immediately interrupted by the thunder of footsteps on the stairs, as Snape ran up them and into the office, "What is the meaning of this Dumbledore, challenging the Dark Lord at his..." Snape stopped as he scanned the room. He spotted Harry and Hermione near the door, and in a sneer, erased any progress the three might have had towards reconciling their differences. "Oh, I see... Potter has decided that he must rush forth once again into a trap, just because some muggles got..." Brown eyes, flashed blue and Snape briefly resembled the young Snape from his memories of James responding to an insult to Lily. This of course, was an instant before Hermione's arm completed its arc and he crashed through the cabinet Dumbledore held his pensive in.

Snape crawled from the wreckage of the cabinet and stood, brushing himself off. He glared at Hermione, and in one quick movement started for his wand...a blur met the eyes of the majority of the watchers, as Hermione MOVED, the tip of her wand suddenly dimpling the skin behind Snape's right ear at about the same time his hand touched the hilt of his. Harry still stood in the middle of the room, his hands resting on the hilts of his wands. His eyes were slightly unfocused as he kept everyone else in the room in his sight. Hermione's voice was cold as a glacier as she stood next to the greasy-haired one, "so...Snivellus, it's all right for Muggles to get killed or tortured as long as no wizards are..."

"Hermione, he didn't mean it like that" McGonagall cried, her burr making the words almost incomprehensible. Dumbledore still sat at his desk, almost as if it were a child's interruption in a story and he patiently waited to continue. Lupin and Tonks seemed glued to Snape's retort, if any, as if his words would decide something for them. Mad-Eye took a sip from his hip flask, his motions slow.

But before Snape could say a word, four new sets of footsteps thundered up Dumbledore's stairs. Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville stormed into the room, all four in field gear under cloaks. "We're here Mad-Eye..." Instantly the four saw Hermione's wand to Snape's head, Harry's hands on his ready to draw, and they snapped theirs up as well. Luna and Ginny's at Snape, Ron and Neville's not quite covering the other five people in the room. Ron glanced back at Harry, and in a voice that still managed to hold some humor, "So Harry, care to explain, why the six of us are about to get expelled or in Azkaban, just curious actually mate."

Luna looked a back at Ron and smiled at him, "I think he really does have Nargles in his hair." Her expression turned serious, her eyes gained focus, "Harry are we leaving...or fighting?"

Despite the wand still to his head, Snape goggled, "You children would fight all of us and Dumbledore?"

"Yes" Ginny, Luna and Neville said as one. Ron just nodded while the other two had already given their opinion on that subject.

But Dumbledore, as was often the case had other ideas. "Actually no, Severus, they are not. I am not about to fight my own students...or family." Despite the situation Harry's heart smiled inside. "However, I am concerned about your statements. Severus. They seemed to indicate an intolerance that you had claimed to renounce...Please Hermione." Hermione glowered for a moment, but eventually lowered her wand and crossed back to Harry.

"Granger is the one who had her wand to my head...Sir" Snape bit out the last word, with just about the same feeling as almost the entire castle had for him.

Dumbledore did not move, only turned his head slightly so he could look directly into his Professor's eyes over the tops of his glasses. "Severus, the only reason she did," his tone dark. "Was that she is younger than me, and therefore quicker. Many of my closest friends have been muggles or muggle-borns. They seem to have a more open mind...as a rule, no offence to the others in the room." Dumbledore added, still not dropping his gaze. "For many years I have guarded your secrets Severus, I have lied for you, I have withheld information, and I have watched you torment those close to me. All the while, I have watched you transfer a feud you have held in your heart from one generation to another. Severus, it was not James' fault that your sister died, or that Lily did."
Not a word was spoken by anyone in the room. The rest of the students lowered their wands as well, but no one, who had drawn one had yet to sheath them.

"It was James who was responsible for covering her, she was working with them after all."

"She was an Auror lad, she knew the risks." Mad-Eye said as his eye spun to view Snape. "And James did not abandon her, I was the one who came after them, I found him battling six Death Eaters. And he DIED before he let Voldemort in the damn house to kill Lily." Harry's expression grew darker. His emotions raged enough to cause Hermione to wince as her free hand dropped to his arm, grabbing his wrist, just in case.

Snape looked at Alastor in amazement, his mouth opening to snarl a response, when Harry finally spoke for the first time since the remainder of the Marauders had come at Moody's call. "Personally, I would like an explanation." Harry's gaze flicked to Dumbledore then back to Snape. "And I will have one, however, that is not the original reason we were here. We were discussing why that we, or rather Hermione and I, should not go and end this war this evening one way or the other."

Ron looked at Harry, a shocked look on his face. "What happened Harry? And you know you aren't going without me." A corner of Harry's lip twitched, he sighed and nodded, and his expression fell once more to the 'I've seen too damn much,' Harry face that all his friends knew and detested.

"Voldemort stuck this evening Ron. Death Eaters tortured Justin's mum and killed his dad, Hannah's dad was killed, and..."

"What Harry?" Ron asked grimly, his heart in his throat.

"Neville...Luna" both of them spun to Harry, eyes wide. "Death Eaters attacked your homes, but your Gran, Neville and your dad, Luna are ok." The expression on Neville's face flashed through horror, to relief. Luna flung herself into Ron shoulder, crying softly as Ron held her tight and muttered a few words in her ear, she nodded, still crying, and he looked back to Harry.

"That's not all is it?"

"No, Ron. They struck at the twins shop in Diagon Alley; they took a whole bunch out with the surprise package. But Katie was killed before they set it off. They are fine along with Angelina and Alicia." Ron's expression had passed through emotions: horror, shock, joy, and finally settled to a low simmering anger.

"Let's go then Harry." Ron replied flatly, resolutely and turned to the door, an oddly normal expression on Luna's face as she fell in step with him, the tracks of tears still visible on her face.

"Wait, Ron," Harry said as he returned to looking at Dumbledore. "Dumbledore claims that he has a reason why I." He gave his friend the tiniest of sad smiles; "why we shouldn't return the favor tonight. Lets hear why. But first, I assume that you have taken all of the graduated Order members into protection and their families?"

"Yes Harry, I sent that missive before you and Hermione even came to my office," A flash of fire and a crimson and gold bird stood on Dumbledore's desk amidst the parchments, a couple smoking, two notes in his beak. Dumbledore read them and a visible shudder of relief passed his shoulders. "Most all of the DA members that had graduated have been notified and are being protected. The families of those still in school are on their way here. Minerva, please tell Mr. Filch that we will need temporary guest quarters prepared for the night, post-haste." McGonagall looked askance at him, but eventually nodded and left. Dumbledore watched her leave then, with a sigh, pulled his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. Replacing them he explained, "The reason that I am against counterattacking tonight, is there is really only one place we can strike, and I am afraid we have no advantages there."

"Would you rather Voldemort attack here?" Hermione replied though almost more thoughtful than angry. Ron suddenly looked as if he were playing a chess game in his head and he nodded at Harry, though bitterly.

"Unfortunately he's right Harry, we really only have Riddle Manor to strike at, well maybe Malfoy Manor or a couple of other known safe houses, it's a trap Harry. Mind, I will go if you want, but..." Ron shrugged, and Harry nodded.

"Its amazing, Weasley can use his brain." Snape cackled, but any further words were stopped suddenly as Luna's wand rose again and his mouth snapped open and closed without any sound.

"That will be enough Severus, Oh, Miss Lovegood, I am afraid that I will have to give you a night's detention with me for that, come see me tomorrow night." Luna nodded at Dumbledore but she didn't look ashamed but rather pleased. Dumbledore waved a wand and the silencing charm lifted from Snape, "Please Severus, do not make me practice a silencing charm...As to the other, yes Harry, Ron has stated my fear, our only real target in response would be Riddle house, which is where he will have concentrated his forces, ready for you. None of us could hope to go in there alone and win. Even with your assistance, probably even with all of your assistances, we could not win. We do not have the time to ready a force large enough to take Tom on in his lair. Not before others could warn him."

Dumbledore looked at Hermione, and nodded to her, "And yes, Hermione, in many ways I would prefer Tom to strike here. In fact if it were not for the danger to the students, and if we had prior warning, we could lure him in here and smash his forces on the defenses of the castle, and if it were not for the other, much greater danger." Dumbledore did not elaborate, most of those in the room knew the reason, and those who didn't would probably find out. Snape however didn't know, and no one was much inclined to fill him in. "I had hoped to hold out until at least the summer, when we could have struck at our leisure without prying eyes to inform him we where coming."

Dumbledore looked about the room and his eyes settled on Luna, he frowned but his eyes flicked to Harry then back to Luna, "Harry there is a way to tell if it is a trap, and if they are waiting for us."

Harry, Ron and Hermione's gaze met, and as one, "NO." Harry waved his friends to silence, as Ron moved protectively towards Luna, "No," Harry said calmly, slightly dangerously, as he and Hermione moved between Luna and Dumbledore. At that moment McGonagall came back up the stairs having found Filch right outside in the corridor.

"Albus, the accommodations are..." She broke off and looked about the room and saw how the others were packing around Luna. "What the bloody hell is going on now?" She snapped, and suddenly, like a balloon popping, slightly insane laughter filled the room, first from Luna, then an instant later from Ginny and Ron.

Harry bit back a dark chuckle as he sighed heavily, he sighed again and regarded Dumbledore, "Its too dangerous, we had this discussion already. YOU agreed to that yourself." I'll be damned if I let Luna get hurt over my desire for vengeance. Hermione cocked an eyebrow at him, and he nodded, shrugging.

"There is a way...if she and the rest of you are willing." Dumbledore insisted softly. At their disbelief he stood, and walked over to the flaxen haired girl, "I agree that Miss Lovegood, using her talents without support would be quite dangerous for her...but not if we go along for the ride as they say."

Hermione's and a brief millisecond later, Harry's mind solved the riddle, she beat him to the punch however "that's dark magic." Her expression was a tad shocked, though nowhere near where it would have been a mere two years ago, "you can't be serious."

"Partially correct, Hermione" Dumbledore gave her a smile, almost as if she were in class, "as it was used against you and Harry, it is the darkest of magic, draining the life-forces of your followers to attack others. However like many dark spells, the original intention has been twisted. The spell was originally to be to used to provide for the safety of Clairvoyants on extended visions, to provide strength and a touch of protection...I dare say that you know the incantation?" Hermione nodded slowly, reluctantly, as she looked over at Luna.

"Luna, you don't have to, you just got out of the infirmary just for that very thing." Harry said softly, but Luna just shook her head slowly and gave them a small, wry smile.

She backed into Ron's arms as she replied, "its ok, Harry, Ronald will be there with me, all of you." Harry sighed and looked over at Hermione, he nodded and without anther word Ginny and Neville crowded close as Luna buried her head in Ron's chest. Hermione waved her wand in a large circle over the heads of the six of them; a glowing, white ring of light followed her wand. Golden light escaped from beneath Luna's closed lids, as Ron lowered his chin to the top of her head and the faintest of glows could be seen in his suddenly sightless eyes in the dim room.

*************************Little Hangleton*********************************

In a dark cemetery that one of their number had visited before, ghosts appeared, but not normal ghosts, but ghosts of animals, some of which had never been in England naturally. Suddenly a large spectral tiger and a dark lion prowled the alleys between the headstones. A large, immaterial bear followed the pair while to the front a small cat prowled between the stones, and a large raptor swept here and there on the nights winds, both of them as ghostly as the bear, or the two big cats. Centered between the two big cats, almost like they were an animal honor guard, a white wolf padded, her nose twitching. The lion looked over at the tiger, and with a nod of Harry's great, shaggy head the six of them swept off in formation.

They prowled the night, stopping suddenly as the animagi; or rather the projections of the animagi detected the fifty or so Death Eaters lurking inside a clump of woods. They were waiting, and looking intently at the grounds, obviously waiting to ambush an attack. Harry carefully led them away from the Death Eaters, but it was quickly obvious that they could not see them. Emboldened, Harry led the rest about the grounds of Voldemort's lair, all of them, continuing to pack around Luna, just in case. Another three groups of Death Eaters waited, each group blind to the spies in their midst. Eventually Harry crept up to the house, and stretched out his senses, but he had been correct in his original assumption. The eyes of his lion form looked over at Luna's slightly glowing ones, the white fur of her form, even whiter in this projection. He motioned with his head, and she flicked her ears and nodded in response.

In a sudden rush like a portkey trip gone mad, they were back.

************************Headmaster's office***********************

Sight returned to Harry's eyes and he quivered a bit on his feet as he turned to Dumbledore, noting out of the corner of his eye, Ron catching Luna as her knees failed her for a second as the trip caught up with her. "You were right, it was a trap." Harry looked apologetic, "He wasn't there though."

"Fits his pattern, Lad" Alastor said softly, "He never did like to risk his precious skin."

"Yes Harry, I am afraid that was my supposition as well. Tom meant to have his forces exhaust you and I am sure, your friends and myself as well before he came out himself. And in fact, I doubt that Luna would have been able to project herself and the rest of you undetected if he had been present." Dumbledore did not look pleased with himself at being correct, more ambivalent. "Harry, Hermione, Ron, all of you." Dumbledore looked at the group of teens, and then over at Tonks and Lupin and back at Harry, skipping over the defiant scowl of Snape as he stood with his arms crossed. "If you would, I would like you to help with those we will soon have arriving. Harry, Hermione, please coordinate the prefects and yourself showing the parents where to stay." Harry nodded, not terribly pleased, but it was something to do. "Ron, Tonks Lupin and Alastor, I would appreciate it, if you could look over the security arrangements for the school, Alastor if there are wards or protections that I need to actuate, let me know. Minerva, I think it might be appropriate for the house elves to have something laid on in case the new arrivals are needing sustenance, or comfort." Orders received, the occupants of the room started for the door, all except Snape, who suddenly found himself unable to move. "Severus, I would like to speak to you..." The oak door closed behind them.

***********************Headmaster's Office************************

Severus Snape slammed the old oak door as he left, a dark thoughtful look on his face. Dumbledore nodded, hopeful that this was a sign of moderation from the Potions Professor towards Harry. He had had hopes for eventual reconciliation after Harry had led basically his entire family into Voldemort's lair but it seemed his hopes still had not borne much fruit as tonight's events proved. Snape, while somewhat tempering his attitude in public towards Harry, still seemed to feel no compunction to do so in private in front of members of the Order. And while, even Harry would privately admit to Snape being on the side of the angels and would trust him to fight against Voldemort, the last seven years of mutual antagonism had yet to fade, and would erupt at the worst times.

"Well, Albus, that did not go well." A soft baritone came from the air, seemingly out of nowhere. The voice was similar to Harry's but different, and the accent, was as well. Dumbledore looked up as a pair of translucent figures passed through his walls and stopped in front of his desk. The witch and wizard were both dressed in old, definitely period robes. The wizard's was open to reveal a pair of decrepit leather breaches, under a linen shirt. A bejeweled sword rode his left hip, a wand his right. A neatly trimmed, raven goatee surrounded his slightly grinning lips, while a much less bedraggled by time, version of the sorting hat covered a matching shock of long, black hair, that was barely pulled back into a tail. As the pair passed in front of the chairs they grew solid, their colors true, and they sat.

The witch of the pair rolled her eyes at her companion, and pulled a matching sheathed sword out and set it on the floor. Her outfit was similar to his, though slightly less decrepit; she absently brushed a stray brunette curl behind one ear as she looked about the office. "Honestly Albus, I do like what you have done to the place, much better than Salazar wanted to do to it. All that green..."

"I thought you liked green, my dear..." A pair of grass green eyes smiled.

"Only you, love."

"Not that I would presume to interrupt...why have such august presences as yourselves joined me this evening?" Dumbledore did not look taken aback by the sudden presence of two of Hogwarts founders in his office at almost midnight, or rather their shadows; it was Hogwarts after all.

"We came to discuss our line, or rather lines, after Rowena looked forward and transferred her powers into a muggle line." Godric looked over at her with a slight grin.

"It seemed rather incestuous if I didn't love." She replied, a matching grin on her lips.

"Uh, Hem," The two shadows looked at Dumbledore, "Since I am headmaster, I will admit I am somewhat curious, should I expect a visit from your counterparts as well?"

"No, I am afraid not," Rowena replied, "Helga never imbued the castle with enough of her presence to manifest herself, and I am afraid that Salazar's shadow was expelled long ago. You know the reason why." She paused and looked over at Godric, who just waved at Dumbledore, yielding the floor to her as it were. "You know, unlike that Trelwaney woman whom you had teaching, I was an actual, true seer, I could look forward at will."

Dumbledore nodded, "Yes I knew, however she has made a few predictions."

"True, and the fate of our Heirs still awaits the outcome of that, even when I was alive however, I would not have been allowed to foresee the outcome of those events. Sorry." Rowena grimaced, "Albus, I know you would anyway, but it is imperative that you do everything in your power to make sure they survive. There is another evil about, one that predates Tom Riddle. They are the ones who inspired Salazar to build his chamber."

"Then you know, the greater powers that the chamber possesses? Is there a way to destroy it, I confess I have not been able to do, and I do not want Harry to try to force entry again." Dumbledore inquired eagerly, but his hopes were dashed.

"No I am afraid not." Godric shook his head sadly. "I...we tried when we where still whole, not merely shadows of ourselves, but the chamber eluded us even then, and I dare say it has gotten more powerful over the last thousand years, it would have adsorbed a great deal of magic, being at this school."

"So the battle will begin here then?"

"Yes Albus, and we actually came to give you a message."

"And that would be?"

"Be ready, the end may not be the end. There are others waiting for the darkness to fall." Rowena shrugged. "There is no more that we are allowed to share to you, I am sorry Albus."

*************************Hogwarts, Great Hall**************************

Flashbacks of third year raced through Harry's mind as he looked over the families crowded into the Great Hall. He watched moodily as Hermione summoned a pile of sleeping bags for some of the smaller children of the displaced families, Lisa Abbott among them as Fred and George entertained them with a selection of tricks. The twins had come to Hogwarts with Angelina and Alicia, bearing the body of Katie Bell. She would be laid to rest two days hence. Unfortunately she was not the only former student to fall tonight. Five more precious Aurors had died in London, each one an honor graduate of Hogwarts, each one dead in their own homes.

Harry smiled down at a little girl who ran past him from the direction of the door, running over to her father who tried to look happy for her. He walked over to Neville, who was sitting with his grandmother as she drank a cup of tea. "Hello, Mrs. Longbottom" Harry said, approaching the pair. "Is there anything we can get for you?" Neville looked up at him with a grim, half-smile. He was still wearing his Order gear, though with his cloak off.

"No dear." Mrs. Longbottom replied, patting his arm, "you and Dumbledore and Miss Granger and all the rest have done more than you should for an old lady."

"I beg to differ ma'am, however I need..." Harry nodded to her, and continued on, noticing Pavarti and Padma with a dark-haired woman who must be their mother, and Lavender and her father talking softly nearby. McGonagall had sent for all the students whose families were spending the night at Hogwarts before new secure quarters could be arranged. Ron stopped to talk to the girls for a second, before joining his brothers. The remaining Weasleys and Mr. Lovegood were at the Burrow. While it wasn't as secure as Hogwarts, Arthur was still the Minister of Magic and a substantial guard of Aurors was in place there. Hogwarts on the other hand, was bare of Aurors except for Tonks and Mad-Eye. Lupin was, of course, equivalent to an Auror in experience, training and skills as well, but every adult soul that had taken refuge here tonight, knew that the true protection for them and the castle had just entered the room.

Dumbledore strode in the room, occasionally stopping to talk to various parents and children, but his course in the main was unerringly towards Harry. As Dumbledore finished speaking to one last parent and joined Harry, Ron came up as well. Dumbledore nodded at the pair, "Miss Granger, if I could have a word with you three." Hermione finished with the kids and came over. Dumbledore silently led the group over to a quiet corner of the room, "Harry, Hermione," Dumbledore said lowly, "if you would please have the rest of the prefects take shifts throughout the night, that would be excellent." The pair nodded, "Ronald, I have a special project for you." Dumbledore looked at him directly, seriously, "if by some chance, this is actually a scheme by Riddle to concentrate us in one place for an attack, I would like you to come up with a plan for the evacuation of the younger students and our guests."

Ron looked gulped a little, but nodded. "Ok, I'll come up with something, however Professor, wouldn't you be better at it than I, or Harry or Hermione."

Dumbledore smiled at him for an instant, before the sight of the refugees drove that expression from his face. He shook his head, "They will have enough to do, and I trust your skills, Ronald. Please keep in mind the children and the elder witches and wizards. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go make my rounds."

Ron nodded, as Dumbledore left, for a moment, his face was blank, and then with a sudden rush, he knew what to do. "Harry, Hermione, when you assign prefects for tonight, make sure that they know the secret passage at the back of the room. I'll set up something there." He looked around and frowned, "You guys know that if they attack and get in the school, we're buggered right?"

********************Astronomy Tower, Hogwarts**********************

March 31, 2006

2:15 am

"Here" Ron said softly as he exited the door to the roof of the tower and sat down next to Harry and Hermione. Both of them had their backs to the low wall around the roof, as they sat on the old stone floor of the turret. A millennia's worth of cushioning charms had softened the stones from untold numbers of students "visiting" the tower. Ron watched as Luna followed him out of the doorway, with a softly clanking sack in her hand. He sat six vials of an orange potion in front of Harry with a small shrug, "fresh from the twins." Thousands of stars and a bright, full moon were visible tonight, casting everything and everyone in a soft blue light. Ron took a bottle from Harry and took a deep drink.

Luna sat down next to Ron and leaned on his shoulder with a soft sigh. "Here." She whispered as she took a slightly glowing green bottle from the bag and handed it to her fiancée.

"Oh hell no," Hermione whispered sharply as she took a sip from a bottle she was sharing with Harry. She frowned... "Not yet." Luna's blue eyes regarded her for a long moment, before she nodded and put it aside. Instead she took the bottle of Odgen's Ron handed her and took a shot. "Luna..." Hermione asked, concern flavoring her tone, "should you be drinking, so soon after using your powers?"

Luna shrugged and took another drink, she glanced over at her friend, "I don't know Hermione." She replied, her voice curiously sober, "I guess I don't have a house anymore, do I. And Daddy and I got off easy, I guess..." Ron pulled her into his lap and hugged her back against him. She didn't cry the tears had passed earlier. Hermione mouthed "sorry", Luna shrugged at her, the transgression already forgiven.

Harry looked at his friends, or rather family, and groaned lowly, "The rest of the Prefects have their assignments, Ron?"

"Yeah."

"Good."

"I saw Filch on the way up here." Ron muttered conversationally. He peered at the label on the bottle he was holding as if it held some divine secret; he shrugged and took a drink.

"Oh?" Hermione asked politely.

"Yeah...told him to go to hell, and his damn cat too." Ron shrugged as he took a shot of whiskey. "Probably got detention, or expelled or something."

"I'll miss you." Hermione replied, quietly.

"Thanks, sis." Ron looked around, "were Ginny and Neville coming? And come to think of it, why aren't there any students up here...it's a nice night?"

"We ran them off...we are the Head Students." Harry said with a carefully practiced Percy voice that caused Ron to spew his mouthful of Whiskey all over the stones.

With a sigh, Ron raised his bottle, "to Percy, a git, an arsehole...and a brother." With a slow nod, Harry and Hermione each took a drink to Percy.

At that moment, Ginny and Neville both arrived. Ginny looked rather flushed, and Neville's hair was almost as messy as Harry's, which caused Ron to regard her with a gimlet eye, before mutely indicating a patch of floor. Neville sat, with his back against the center, raised section of the turret, and Ginny curled up between his legs, her back to his chest. With a sharp gesture she waved at Ron, he dug in the bag Luna had brought and tossed them a bottle as well. She took a sip and handed the bottle over her shoulder to Neville who took a rather larger sip.

"Harry?" Ginny said softly.

"Yeah?"

"Would you have really fought Dumbledore?"

"Yeah."

"Ok," She took another sip, "we've been at the top of this tower too damn much, Harry." The tiny redhead said softly. She looked the rest of the new Marauders, and raised her bottle, "Ernie and Zach." Six sets of lips tasted firewhiskey as they drank to the first of the DA to fall.

Over the next two hours, many more toasts to fallen friends, a few enemies, and those caught in the crossfire were drunk; Katie, the parents from tonight, the poor muggles caught in the crossfire, the wards of wizards and witches at St. Mungo's living out the rest of their days with no souls, no thoughts. Until finally the last cards were dropped, with a odd look on his face, Harry looked down at his bottle and raised it shakily, "T.t..to Sirius...the scariest puppy I've ever seen." Hermione gave him a small smile as she toasted to Harry's godfather.

She turned and looked into Harry's eyes, "To James and Lily...they gave all to hold back the darkness, for a little while longer." Hermione whispered. "to give me...everything." She bit her lip as her eyes never left his. Harry didn't speak for a long moment, then without warning, he pulled her in close.

"To...Roger and J..Jane, for bringing the light into my darkness." Harry breathed, his lips next to her ear. Almost instantly he could feel her tears soaking his shirt, and his gaze grew hazy as tears clouded his vision as well.

Soon after those words were spoken, silence reigned. And ten minutes later, none were awake on the tower. Neville had passed out sometime in the middle of the toasting and was already gone. Ginny had slipped away to sleep soon after. Ron had stayed with the others until Sirius' toast then with a sudden snore, he was gone. Of course the fact that for at least one toast, he might have chugged the whole fifth instead of taking a drink might have something to do with that state. Luna as usual was weird, she never really looked drunk until, all at once as she noticed Ron passed out, she lay down on top of him and passed out instantly. Only Harry and Hermione had heard the last two toasts, and as soon as he had uttered the last words, Harry had snuggled down against the wall and closed his eyes.

Another two hours passed until the first rays of the morning sun, poked incessantly at Harry and Hermione's eyeballs. Harry groaned as he opened his eyes, to find Hermione snuggled up under his chin. Feeling around on the ground next to him, Harry found his glasses and slipped them on. Glancing down, he saw a pair of bloodshot amber eyes looking up at him. "You look like shit love." Hermione whispered.

"Thanks, Mione." Harry replied, sarcastically, "g'eroff" he muttered, and with a muffled "umpf" Hermione slid off his chest as he levered himself to his feet, instantly the world spun, and as he was at the highest point in the castle...that wasn't so good. Harry suddenly turned a light shade of green, and just barely managed to reach the edge of the parapet and lean over the side before it escaped. His face hung out over the grounds as he gasped for breath. A small hand started rubbing small, comforting circles on his back and he closed his eyes gratefully.

"Here, Harry" Hermione murmured as she handed him a bright orange vial of potion. With a pained smile, Harry took the vial and drank it in one gulp. Shuddering at the taste, he took two deep breaths and suddenly the world was steady once more and his vision was clear, well as clear as it ever got.

"Thank you Hermione...for everything." Harry said as she flowed into his arms. She granted him a small, half-smile as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "Think we should wake them?" Harry asked, indicating their friends with a free hand. Ron was lying on his back near the door to the tower, with Luna lying on top of him like a pale-haired blanket. Ron's face was invisible under a cloud of dirty-blond hair, and for a brief instant Harry was wondering if he were breathing, but after a long, shuddering snore came from under the covering of Luna's hair, he figured Ron was ok.

Several feet away, Neville was lying on his back, his mouth hanging slackly open in his sleep. Ginny had sometime during the night transformed into her kneazle form and was currently curled up as a fire-red kneazle on Neville's chest. "No, they're ok." Hermione replied back softly. She turned and looked out over the grounds, Harry's arms still around her waist from behind, providing warmth and security. They stood there at the parapet, at the wall for a long few minutes, watching the sun fully crest the mountains surrounding the castle, watching the light of day replace the shadows of night.



A/N Ok, the last scene was one of my infamous DVD edition scenes, added post production, I hope I cut it off at a good spot. Since this is another long chapter, it might be a bit before another makes it up, especially after the multiple chapters up this weekend.

Built by Text2Html

38. Lions and Serpents and Dragons, Oh My

Ok Folks I don't own anything...okay I do, but not these characters, they belong to Rowling, I'm just the puppeteer.

Chapter 38: Lions and Serpents and Dragons, Oh My.

**********************Hogwarts, Slytherin Dungeons************************

April 21, 2006
3:22 am.

Surrounded by drawn and silenced emerald curtains, Draco Malfoy tossed and turned, his night far from peaceful. Sweat drenched the front of a light-gray t-shirt he had worn to bed, as dark, shadowy figures flitted in and out of his memories. Like Harry, Draco had seen enough for nightmares a plenty, but unlike him, no loving arms were there to drag him back from the abyss, no friends that would give up their lives just to give him that extra second, were there to shake him awake.

He had tried, at times when these moods would strike him, to have a "friend" stay with him, but to no avail. Pansy might stay for a shag, but that was about it, and Crabbe and Goyle, were useless in almost every way. Fortunately for him, unlike Harry, these dreams were not there always, just beneath the surface, waiting to erupt with the faces of friends and loved ones taken by the darkness, they only arose when he was truly lost.

**************************Malfoy Manor********************************

February 12, 1994 (Twelve years ago)

A young, small boy with disheveled, light blond hair fell to the floor, his check burning. He looked up at a cruel man, a man with his features and coloring another twenty years hence. The man sneered down at the child then calmly walked over to a desk and sat down behind it, propping his polished Dragon hide boots on it. Noticing a slight scuff, "DOBBY" He screamed, and with a muffled pop, a young, scrawny house elf with huge green eyes appeared. "Clean that spot off my boots, elf...with your tongue."

"Yes master." Dobby bowed subserviently and started to lick the already shiny boots clean. After a moment Lucius looked down at the elf, then over at Draco, the young boy still cowering on the floor, then back at the house-elf. Without warning, the elder Malfoy kicked the elf across the room. As Dobby hit the wall, he bowed, taking that as a dismissal, he vanished with a POP.

As Dobby vanished, an older man came in the room. The man had some of the features of the other two but almost as many differences, his hair was white instead of the pale blond of the other two, and his build was much stockier. The pale gray eyes were the same however, as they looked down at Draco. "Leave Draco." Draco nodded, then over at Lucius who dismissed him with a wave. Draco left quickly, and as soon as the room closed, he ran to the room next door where a low grate, meant to circulate air afforded him a view of his father and grandfather in the next room.

"Why did you strike the child, Lucius? Malfoys do not strike their own kin, not in my house." Maximilian Malfoy snarled as he stood over his son. Lucius dropped his boots from the desk and rose to his feet. Leaning foreword, he rested his hands on the desktop.

"I dare because he is my son...he was playing with muggles, out in the woods beyond the house. Creatures lower than that house-elf." Lucius motioned towards the door, "the child is weak, father," the word a sneer, "if we are not careful, he will fall to the side of that old-fool."

"Instead of what, son?" the elder shot back, the sneer identical, "following your fallen master?" The elder Malfoy crossed his arms and glared at him. "For a thousand years, the Malfoy family has been strong, we have danced in the dark, but we never kissed the hem of its robes. We are conniving, yes, lethal when provoked, definitely, but we hold our honor sacred, our ancestors stood with Merlin and Arthur at Camelot, we spied for them, we assassinated for them, but we did not turn to Morgana's cause even when she offered us the world. Yes, we keep our bloodline clean, we do not associate with those who choose to breed beneath themselves, but we do not serve the darkness as its lackey, in that at least our honor has been untainted...until now."

"You talk of these things, father...of loyalty, of honor, but what are these in the face of power?" Lucius came around the desk, his hands clasped behind his back. He stopped with a hand on his father's shoulder, "nothing." Lucius answered himself, as a black dagger shot from behind his back into his father's chest. Maximilian collapsed to the floor, looking shocked up at his son. Lucius sneered down at him, "Good bye father, I go to meet with others...my master will rise again." With a soft crack, Lucius Malfoy vanished. Almost instantly Draco came running back into the room, looking down at his grandfather in horror.

Maximilian looked up at him, and in the last gasps of breath he whispered, "I am sorry grandson, I should have treated you better...remember this betrayal when you choose your path..." A cough, blood boiling from his lips, "an old enemy told me once, our life is based on our choices..." Eyelids drooped and with a last sigh, the scion of the Malfoy clan died.

****************************Draco's Room*****************************
Present.

Draco snapped awake, panting. Peeling off his shirt, he wiped his face with it before flinging it away to lie in a sodden wad in the far corner of the room. Sitting up, leaning forward on his knees, "yes grandfather, it is always about choices." The words were a mere breath of a whisper, but they almost seemed to echo off the bed hangings nonetheless.

************************Hogwarts, Room of Requirement*********************

6:15 am

"No powers, Harry" Ron grimaced a bit as he saluted with his sword, and dropped into a ready stance across from Harry. Other than the pair of them, the room was empty, Hermione had had a late night of revisions and tutoring some first year DADA students the night before so she had chosen to work out this afternoon, or at least that is what Harry had translated her mumbled, "bloodyhellyougoidunnawanttoleavemealonedamnitharry" as when he had tried to get her up this morning and the rest of the sextet had voiced similar concerns.

Harry rolled his eyes, and slightly rotated the Gryffindor Sword, the lethally keen edge splitting the light from the torches, and flicking a bit of the light into Ron's eyes. "You worry too much, mate." Harry grinned at him; "Protego Duelus" a brief light lit the room as the dueling wards snapped into place.

Ron nodded a bow, and then struck at Harry's head. With a turn of a wrist Harry blocked the shot and the pair started circling slowly. "That's rich, bro, you harassing me about worrying." Ron snapped down his blade, blocking in seconde. He responded in reposte, stabbing towards Harry's shoulder, Harry did not block, but flipped to his left, back and away from Ron. "Bloody show off." He snarled, but he was grinning as he did so.

"This coming from the guy who messes up his hair to look like he just got off the pitch" Harry laughed a bit as he twirled the sword with a quick wrist movement. Without a pause, Harry bounded forward and snapped a cut at his head; Ron blocked, then snapped his blade down to catch the one at his leg, then stopped suddenly as Harry's blade quivered at his throat, on the third strike.

"Checkmate Ron." Harry grinned and stepped back. Ron shook his head, and laughed. Ron flipped his sword onto the mat, and winced a bit at a strain in his shoulder.

"Ok you got me, but as you brought up the subject of conceding, Harry..." Ron shot back as he regarded Harry with an odd look. He rotated his shoulder, causing it to pop loudly.

"Yes?" Harry replied with a touch of foreboding. He glanced away from Ron, only to find his oldest friend still staring at him, a small smile on his lips. Behind Ron, the room shifted, the practice dummies sliding into the floor, the mats fading into a soft carpet.

"When are you going to make my sister an honest woman?" Ron looked expectantly at Harry, and Harry sighed.

"I think Neville might have a problem with that, Ron." Harry responded, in a forlorn attempt to stall the question.

"You bloody well know what I mean Harry." Ron chuckled though as he sat on a suddenly appeared chair and took a drink from an also just appeared glass of water. "I know quite well that you have the ring, I seem to remember having to fight a horde of Dementors to get it." Ron looked out one of the fake windows on the brightening morning and shook his head with exasperatedly. "No offence, but I just went to Hogsmeade and bought Luna's, only the Boy-Who-Lived would have to fight off a host of demons to get his future wife's engagement ring."

"Funny Ron." Harry growled, then as he looked at Ron, their eyes met, and both guffawed at the same time, Ron almost dropping his water glass as he suddenly held his side in joyous pain.

"I don't know Ron, why do you have money on it?" Harry replied, with laughter still permeating his voice as he sat down on the couch that had appeared across from his best friend. He took a long gulp of water as Ron replied.

"No, actually not. I learned my lesson with the last pool, but just to make sure...the Shrieking Shack wasn't..." Ron asked, not quite daring to look at Harry.

"No" Harry said slowly, then catching Ron's gaze again, they both shared another laugh. "Lost out on that one, huh?" Harry picked up the Gryffindor sword from the floor, and played with the hilt absently.

"Yeah Dumbledore had you guys down for her birthday..." Ron replied with a shrug and a twinkle.

"Ok," Harry ran a hand through his hair, stalling for time, then looked back at Ron. "You know, I just decided two things...first, that I really don't want to know how you all decided who won that bet, and second, Merlin help me, what date did you have?"

"Oh I had more faith in you two, I fully expected to catch you two going at it at Grimmauld Place." Ron smiled, and quickly raised his hands to catch the playful punch Harry directed at him. His attack blunted Harry sat back on the couch with a sigh, and a calculating look in his eye.

"Oh you mean like you and Luna?" Harry shot back, a jet eyebrow cocked.

"Bloody hell Harry, you just had to remind me about Ginny walking in, that was just wrong." Ron's ears turned puce at the memory, and he couldn't quite meet Harry's gaze.

"Oh and you walking in on Mione and I at the shack wasn't?"

"Point taken, but now that you have hindered my efforts at intelligence gathering, when Harry?"

"I don't know, when it feels right I guess." Harry shrugged and got up to pace, he didn't looked back at Ron as he continued, "the thing is Ron, if I were sure that we would survive then I would have already married her, school or no, we actually could as Head Students, its buried in the bylaws." Harry picked up the sheath for his sword and stowed it firmly. "As it is, I don't know if we will, and anyway, sometimes I think we already are married." Ron opened his mouth to object, but stopped at a wave, "Ron you know, that I don't mean it to take advantage of her, its just that, it really seems that we are sometimes. I never told you this; actually Mione is the only one who knows, but that night after Dumbledore inducted us all, I sorta, almost, already asked her. Or rather I promised to ask her, to put it more properly, I guess. I just have never sealed it with the ring, I just want to make it formal and it scares the Merlin-loving shit out of me. We may die facing Voldemort tomorrow, but..." Harry rambled,

"Excuse me Harry" Ron interrupted, "but you keep saying we, not I, you used to say I when you talked about dieing"

"Oh you mean the other reason, Ron, Hermione and I already have pledged to live or die together, I mean I didn't want her too, but you know her."

Ron nodded knowingly, as his mind ran through almost seven years of memories of Hermione's adamantine-like will, especially when it pertained to Harry. "Yeah...so when again?" He insisted.

"Sometime soon, probably after NEWTs, I'd hate to hear for the next hundred years how I cost her a point on her Transfiguration NEWT because she was distracted by thoughts of a engagement." Harry replied matter-of-factly, and Ron nodded sagely in return.

******************************DADA #1*********************************

9:00am

The object of Harry's quandary sat next to him. And if Hermione's chair was entirely too close for polite society and if neither of the Head Students were actually watching the Professor, no one said a thing. Ron was sitting on Hermione's other side, rolling his eyes for an instant as he glanced over at them, then back at Dumbledore. Dumbledore was up at the front of the class, working with a pair of Hufflepuffs on demonstrating the sleeping spell. Ron winced as the Hufflepuffs both managed to put each other to sleep at the same time and collapsed to the floor with identical thumps. The thumps finally caused the duo to look forward suddenly. Ron grinned at Seamus at the next table as the pair finally started paying attention for the first time today.

"Enervate" Dumbledore cast the incantation and turned to the class as a whole, "Class, I would like a three foot essay on the sleeping charm and the differences and similarities between it and other charms with a similar overall effect such as the stunning hex. Due, shall we say next week?" Groans erupted as students pulled quills and notebooks to jot down the assignment.

Dumbledore smiled at them and stood at the Professor's desk. "As I am sure you have already heard, NEWTs are once again upon us. I am certain that Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick and others have impressed on you the need for you to do your best on these tests and I am sure that you will all perform admirably. Defense Against the Dark Arts is a different subject in these perilous times however, and due to the times, the Ministry as seen fit to slightly change the format for the final testing in this class."

He looked out over the students, they hung on his words, "Normally the test would have been similar to the test was in your OWL year, however, this year, the practical will not involve merely casting spells, this year will involve having to defend yourself, and a partner against adversaries in a duel. And since the protocol has changed, the Ministry has decided to let your DADA professor, namely me, choose your partners for the task. You should take the time between now and your tests in three weeks to work with your partner to hone your skills."

Harry glanced over at Ron, then at Hermione, wondering who his partner would be. Ron returned the slightest shrugs, and Hermione whispered in her thoughts, you don't think he'd...

I don't know...he has gotten wacky ideas before.


At the front of the class, Dumbledore waved his wand in the air, and a parchment appeared. "Here are the pairings, and to make things interesting, I have decided to pair up the teams boy, girl where possible" another groan answered him, "uh hem...Patil, Pavarti, Weasley..." Ron looked over at Pavarti and she nodded, accepting easily. They were both Order members after all and even had been on missions together.

Harry heard Seamus and Lavender and Dean and Padma, and Neville and Hannah get paired as well as he glanced over at Hermione, Think the Ministry might be a tad shocked when its testers all get beat?

The Slytherins are still there to loose, though they might break out into Dark Magic if pressed.
A tiny grin flitted across her face as Dumbledore said with the tiniest of winks, "Potter, Granger." Hermione looked down at her notes to hide a sudden chuckle.

Does this mean we have to study together, EWWW. Harry replied. Hermione reached over and punched him in the thigh. OWW.

Serves you right...at least I don't have to worry about what you will do in a fight,
she observed as Malfoy was paired with Susan Bones, whom did not look too happy at the revelation. Poor Susan. I'm almost surprised that Dumbledore didn't pair one or both of us with the Slytherins to prove a point. Hermione's right eyebrow crooked to emphasize her point.

Harry gave a tiny, incremental headshake in response, Nah; granddad doesn't want the battle to start until later. One of the Slytherins might try something and try to pretend it was an accident if it were one of us. Susan's a pureblood, even though they know she's an enemy, they won't try anything against her, if it were one of us...

Yeah,
Hermione sighed as she jotted down the pairings that Dumbledore had just finished reading and transferred to the board with a wave of his wand. A shaft of the early morning sunlight wandered over her paper as she wrote, writing down almost thirty pairs. Dumbledore took the rest of the class reviewing common teamwork tactics and spells and finally let them go after reminding them that magic was still prohibited in the corridors, so any practice should be undertaken outdoors. Of course the various members of the Order of the Phoenix, almost all of whom were already blooded, by at least the Battle of Hogsmeade last year if not other, additional actions, skirmishes or recons over the last year, already had the Room of Requirement to practice in. Finally the bell rang and with a grand wave Dumbledore dismissed them.

"Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, a word." Dumbledore shouted quickly before they could leave. With a shrug Harry waved to Ron, who waved back and headed to see if he could catch Luna between classes. The heavy door to the classroom boomed closed after him, as Harry leaned against the edge of a desk. Dumbledore gave them a tiny grin, "I hope that you do not mind that I paired the two of you with each other, I know that it is such a burden."

"You have no idea," Harry replied and blocked the swipe at his head absently; he had been expecting it. "Seriously thank you, Grandfather." Hermione nodded immediately and forcefully.

"Actually while it does me make me happy to have you together there is another reason, I couldn't frankly take the chance of not pairing you together. And no I was not going to pair either of you with any of the Slytherins, before you ask. I fear that my somewhat heavy handedness at appointing the pair of you as adjunct professors for DADA has caused distress with some of the hidebound members of the Magical Education division. Most of the students will be facing only two others in a mock duel. However I have been informed that you will face possibly several wizards, and very possibly Aurors. And you can't use your greater powers to beat them either, at least not overtly, nor any of your other, uh hem, talents that are unknown to the Ministry."

Harry rolled his eyes at that pronouncement but he understood the logic. "If that's all?" Dumbledore nodded and the pair headed for the hallway.

As the door closed once again, Dumbledore looked over to his right, "well Alastor?"

With a quiet chuckle, Mad-Eye took of the invisibility cloak and shrugged, "Quite frankly, I feel sorry for most of those testers Albus. Blimey, unless they are all Aurors, most of those kids will embarrass the testers. Kind of funny actually now at I think about it. Makes me kind of chuffed actually for them."

***********************Main Corridor, outside of the Great Hall****************

Harry, Hermione and Ron turned the corner into the main hall, heading to the main stairs. With a slight tug on her hand, Harry pulled Hermione back slightly. His eyes flicked over to hers, you knew Moody was there right?

Yeah, thank Merlin, I thought I was experiencing visions, I could see this outline next to Dumbledore, I thought for a second I needed glasses.


With a slightly exasperated sigh, Ron turned back to them, "Come on you two, you can plan your next make out session when we aren't going to lunch."

Harry shook his head and stepped aside, as Hermione turned to Ron, "Ronald Bilius, unlike you we aren't ruled by our hormones, or our stomachs." She snapped as Harry carefully leaned back against the wall, out of the line of fire.

It's been a bit, since they went at it. Harry thought tolerantly, I wonder if I conjured some popcorn...Hermione turned and glared at him, so he just raised his hands in a placating gesture, and motioned towards Ron.

Ron laughed slightly, "I seem to remember walking in on someone at the Shrieking Shack,"

"Oh...Honestly...Ronald..." But Hermione's retort was cut short as a crash, and sounds of harsh laughter came from further down the hall. The argument was immediately dropped as the trio turned and ran to the entryway. Entering at the bottom of the marble stairs, several Slytherins could be seen clustered around someone. The person stood, his back to the trio, but they instantly saw that the target had Gryffindor robes on.

Pansy, Crabbe, Goyle and Nott had the person cornered, and with her high-pitched voice, Pansy let them know whom they were picking on. "What's wrong muggle? Can't take it here? Why don't you and your mudblood mother go back home?" Dudley snarled and swung at Crabbe but missed as the large Slytherin danced back out of range. "Tarantallegra" Pansy laughed shrilly as Dudley's legs danced out of control. "No wand eh, muggle?"

"I'll take this one." Ron sighed and walked over to the Slytherins. Walking up behind them, "Finite." Instantly Dudley stopped dancing, and immediately collapsed to the ground. The four Slytherins spun with their wands out, each pointing at Ron.

"Go away Weasley, this isn't a concern of yours, he isn't really a Gryffindor anyway." Nott snarled. Around the sudden confrontation a crowd had started to gather, Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, a few more Slytherins, but as of yet no Gryffindors. Harry and Hermione sidled over to the edge of the crowd, silently casting anti-glamour charms over themselves to make sure no one looked at them. They stopped, secure under the same type of spell that hid Hogwarts from Muggle eyes, but on a much smaller scale, and waited.

Ron snorted slightly, but looked directly into Nott's eyes. Crossing his arms "Looks like he's wearing the colors. Go on Dudley." He said to Dudley as he got up. Ron looked around at the four, absently tapping his wand on his left bicep. He caught a flicker of movement out of the corner of his eye, "I really wouldn't." Crabbe stopped reaching for his wand abruptly. But this was only a signal for Pansy, she started to raise a wand, "ego accelero" Ron muttered and MOVED, spinning around the four he spun to the side, he flicked his wand and the floor beneath the four turned to ice. Laughter erupted from the crowd as the four fell to their bums, their feet flying up in the air.

The confrontation turned serious as Pansy jerked her wand towards Ron, "STUPEFY" Ron flicked his wand sideways, a shield snapping into place causing the spell to whine as it was deflected upwards, knocking a divot out of the ceiling.

"EXPELLIARMUS" Ron snapped in return, knocking Pansy's wand into the crowd.

"EXPELLIARMUS" Harry and Hermione both cried at the same time, knocking Nott and Goyle's wands into the crowd as well. "Don't even think about it Crabbe." Hermione snapped as she and Harry dropped their disguise charms and pointed their wands at the four. "That will be fifty points from Slytherin, Pansy, for using magic in the halls, and ten each from the rest of you for picking on those less capable than yourselves." She finished looking at Nott, Crabbe and Goyle, though that might not be true actually, Dudley might really have more talent than Crabbe or Goyle. The thought snapped over to Harry and he nodded incrementally.

True. "Now get our of here, and if you're lucky no one accidentally stepped on your wands." Harry continued her thought. As Pansy opened her mouth to respond, steps came thundering up, and slightly out of breath, Snape slid to a stop.

"What is going on here?" Snape snapped looking over the four Slytherins, and the now equal number of Gryffindors. Severus Snape was in an odd predicament, in days gone past; he would have instantly punished Potter, however now he did not know what to do. Should he side with Potter and his friends, despite his continued feud with Harry, or should he side with the members of his own house, whom despite their public faces in school, and their outward lack of change toward him, were probably all Death Eaters in waiting? Should he side with those who he hated and hated him in return, but who had risked their lives to save him, or those whose parents had helped torture him, whose master had killed his sister and the woman he had once counted as a friend, possibly his only friend? And as his mind finally framed the question in that manner, his decision was made. Pansy started to open her mouth, but Snape silenced her with a wave. "Be quiet Miss Parkinson, I would like to hear from the Head Students if you please." Pansy's eyes snapped wide, as Severus faced Harry, "Mr. Potter what happened here? And the rest of you move along" He shouted to the room as a whole.

Snape's question held a trace of his old sneer, but not much as usual, so in return Harry answered him as respectfully as he could manage, as the crowd carefully edged away from the Slytherin House Head. "Sir, Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley and I heard the commotion from down the hall, and we came to investigate. Mr. Weasley confronted Miss Parkinson and Misters Crabbe, Goyle and Nott as he is a prefect, while we moved around to the side just in case. They were teasing Mr. Dursley and had used the dancing legs jinx on him. Mr. Weasley removed the jinx, and in the course of his duties was fired on by Miss Parkinson. He disarmed her, and Miss Granger and I disarmed Mr. Nott and Mr. Goyle. We took house points from Miss Parkinson and the others for use of magic in the halls and teasing another less capable student. Sir." To Harry's slight and the Slytherins' great surprise, Snape just nodded.

He spun to his house members, "Is this true?"

"No sir..." Pansy began, but was stopped almost immediately by Snape.

"Miss Parkinson I am an accomplished Leglimens; please. I can tell you are lying. As a punishment the four of you will each serve two weeks detention on top of the house points your actions have cost our house." Seven jaws dropped at once, but he ignored them, "Now leave, I will see you this evening for detention." He paused, "No not you Potter, Weasley, Miss Granger, a private word."

Amazed, the trio followed Snape into an abandoned classroom. With a flick of his wand the door sealed and silenced itself. Snape did not look at any of them as he started to speak. "Potter...I may never like you, or you Granger, or even you Weasley, however I will tell you this. I am ready to drop this feud between us if you are." He looked at Harry, "I was you mother's friend before I burned that bridge, but I mourned when Voldemort killed her. I never liked your father, or your godfather, Potter and I will not apologize for how I interacted with them...but you are not they. I will rejoice when you kill the Dark Lord."

"Why...sir?" Harry asked, a shocked tone in his voice.

"Because...Harry, you are more like your mother than your father, looks aside. She would have been the one stopping the teasing." Snape canceled the silencing charms and swept out of the rooms in a flourish of robes, leaving in his wake a slightly flabbergasted triplet.

**************************Hagrid's Cabin************************

"hat's it class, 'emeber to turn in your essays on Chimeras 'nd their useages." Hagrid waved them away and stumped off towards the far side of the castle. Hermione glanced at Harry and nodded towards Hagrid. He was limping as he walked off, towards a blank stretch of the hill under the base of the north wing of the castle.

"Come on Harry, Ron." Hermione whispered, and took off, trailing the half giant. Running to catch up to his long strides, she pulled even with him, "Hagrid...wait."

"What, 'ermione, I er, have something to do...top secret, um Order stuff." Hagrid complained as he stopped and looked around warily.

"Hagrid, why are you limping, is it still the attack at The Three Broomsticks?" Harry asked, as he caught up with them. Ron was not with him, he must have gone somewhere else; or rather he knew where Hagrid was going. Ron took off.

Chicken,
Hermione replied as she turned to Harry. He nodded, and together they walked through the side of the hill, instantly they passed into a large, stone walled chamber. Hagrid followed them, muttering.

"You all shouldn't be here, he may be likeable in the open, but he..." Hagrid started to complain, but was interrupted by the thunder of huge legs pounding from within the chamber. A cloud of steam filled the end of the chamber, and an instant later, the cloud of steam was parted by a huge, triangular head topped by a pair of ice blue eyes the size of Hagrid's head. A thunderous, odd echoing roar echoed through the chamber.

Harry sighed and spun on his heel. With a breath, his eyes lit, "NORBERT, SIT" Harry snapped, Norbert let out a small whimper and dropped, the thump of his sudden seat, causing all three of them to shake.

"Blimey...I wish he'd listen to me that 'ell," Hagrid muttered.

"Now Hagrid, Honestly, are you ok?" Hermione whispered.

"Now, you 'wo don't go worrying about me, you have enough to be getting on 'ith." Hagrid replied as he checked Norbert's water supply, a large, magically fed bowl the size of a hot tub.

Hermione glanced at Harry and walked over to him, leaning back against him, she sighed softly, "Hagrid...its just that, Voldemort was after me," Harry said quietly, Hermione elbowed him, "Ok us, Hagrid, whatever..."

"I'll be 'ine 'arry, I get worse on my job." Hagrid shot back, as he flicked a huge lever, a large side of beef dropped from a hatch above the Dragon. Norbert grabbed the beef, and swallowed it whole. Hagrid patted Norbert's nose; sated for now, he drifted off to sleep. Hagrid turned to them and waved them to the mouth of the hidden cave, "'ll be ok, old Norbert and I will be there, when we are needed."

******************************Hogwarts*******************************
May 12, 2006
10:15 pm

A shining white wolf strode paw to paw with a ginger haired tiger. The stars shown bright, their brilliance sparkling off the pristine coat of the lupine, the March winds had given way to a temperate and benign April and a temperate and gentle May. The days and nights had become the calm before the storm that almost every heart in the castle dreaded in one way or another. As they passed behind Hagrid's cabin, a light was on, spilling the yellow glow of oil lamps onto the yard. Carefully skirting the poll of light, the tiger nudged his much smaller companion, with his large, furry head in a curiously gentle and affectionate motion.

Ice blue eyes tuned to meet slightly darker ones in the eyes of the great cat. She twitched her ears as they escaped deep into the shadows of the lawn. With a breath the wolf SHIFTED, the white furry form flowing into a slim woman, in jeans and black, long sleeved top that let a thin patch of skin show as she stretched her arms over her head, smirking slightly as the tiger's eyes seemed fastened slightly south of her face. She smiled and petted the tiger; who let out a tiger sized purr as she scratched his back. Around her neck, she wore a curious necklace; it appeared to be made of small black beads, each decorated with a crimson and gold crown.

Leaning forward, she kissed the top of the tiger's head. He purred louder for a moment, and then with a sudden SHIFT, the tiger flowed into a tall, ginger haired man, his cornflower blue eyes smiling down at her. With the flick of a just drawn wand, a blanket appeared on the grass. Talking her hand, Ron sat down, facing the lake; she sat down with him, between his legs, leaning back against his back. "Thanks luv." Ron muttered as he wrapped his arms around her. Absently he trailed his fingers up and down her arms.

"Hmm?" Luna replied distractedly, as she moved closer to him, lost in the trail of his fingers.

Ron shrugged, "Hermione was driving me spare, kept nagging me about NEWTs" He leaned forward and kissed Luna neck softly, it was her turn to purr. "I mean how Harry puts up with it..." He smirked as he played with a long lock of blond hair. "I guess he's distracted by her other attributes...OWW." Ron rubbed his ribs.

"Oh, was that your ribs?" Luna asked sweetly. She gazed around the grounds, "Oh, did I tell you that daddy wants us to go on an expedition for wyverns, he's thinking of raising them." She smiled absently, "he's wanting to start a racing league for them."

Racing minor Dragons? Who the bloody hell is going to jockey them, heliopaths? Ron gave her an odd look, before he shrugged it off, it wasn't most oddball idea he had heard from her or her father. "Ok, love I'll talk to the twins about sponsoring a wyvern." Luna turned and smiled at him, as she gave him a kiss on the cheek, how am I going to get them to sponsor a creature that eats people? Wait this is Fred and George I'm talking about, they'd love it. "I'm just tired of studying, can't she see that?" He sighed, "We are getting out of here in a month or so..." Ron rambled he was cut off suddenly as Luna sat up and gasped. "What's wrong, Hun?" Ron whispered as he watched her staring down at the grass fixedly.

"Ronald...what are you going to do, when I'm still here next year and you're off in London or wherever. I'm scared that you will..." Luna's rant was quickly ended as Ron spun her in his lap and crashed his lips to hers.

"I don't care Luna...we'll come up with something." He grinned, his teeth shining in the moonlight, "an intelligent Ravenclaw like yourself."

Luna huffed, but her lips quirked in a half smile as she glanced down and tucked a strand of hair behind an ear. "I'm a Gryffindor now, Ronald."

"That would only be because you are braver than you are smart," Ron replied softly as his hand came up and cradled her cheek, he whispered under his breath, "and I thought that was scary when it only applied to Hermione."

"Heard that...wolf animagus remember?" Luna chuckled; then with a sea change of expression, she looked directly into his eyes, her breathing quickening. "Can we have sex now?" Ron laughed as he nodded, and with a soft squeal she knocked him backwards onto the blanket.






Built by Text2Html

39. NEWTs


Chapter 39 NEWTS
********************Hogwarts Library***************************

May 14, 2006
3:00 pm

Hermione was somewhere behind a towering stack of tomes. NEWTs were only a week away, and she was determined to get every possible one, even those of classes she wasn't actually taking. Except Divination, of course, though Ron did have a side bet that she would show up for the test anyway so she could tie the record. Currently, in the last hundred or so years in which the Ministry had imposed the OWL/NEWT tests on Hogwarts Students perhaps only fifty or so people had ever gotten all the NEWTs as very few actually sat all the exams. Of those, the few that were germane to their lives were: Lily Potter, Tom Riddle and Percy Weasley, and if she had anything to do with it Hermione Granger. Even Dumbledore hadn't all those many years ago, as he never took the Divination NEWT. At least some of the company you keep is nice, Mione. Harry thought with a grimace as he looked over at her. Hermione was starting to show the strain, her eyes were bloodshot and red; her hair was a mess from her incessant habit of twirling it on her fingers as she studied, and her lower lip bore a red mark from her teeth. All habits that Harry normally found irresistible, but for now he was a touch worried. "Mione"

"HMMM?" Hermione murmured as she turned a page of Moste Potente Potions. Without looking up at him she started writing notes as her eyes blurred over the pages. "Damn it" she snarled as her quill snapped in her hands from the force of her note taking. Unconsciously Hermione waved her hand towards her bag, and a replacement quill floated out. Harry glanced around to see if anyone had seen her, they really weren't supposed to use their greater abilities casually, though Dumbledore did all the time. But there was no one to witness the feat.

Most of the student body was outside on this pleasant weekend day except those that had OWLs or NEWTs starting a week from tomorrow, and even that threat could not imbue enough courage into any but Harry to intrude on Hermione's back study corner, at least not now. Ron to his credit, at least in Harry's eyes, had studied with them for almost six hours already today, but he had finally given up and gone outside to take a break. Harry looked up and gazed longingly at the clear sky outside, he shook his head and turned back to his notes on the Transfiguration of inanimate objects. Absently, Harry reached his hand across the table to capture Hermione's for a moment. She squeezed it before she let go and started taking notes again. Harry sighed, but just as he started rereading once more about the theoretical difference between transfiguring ores and refined metals, he looked up at a sudden tapping at the window.

Hovering outside the window, Ron sat on his broomstick, waving. He motioned for Harry to join him, but Harry shook his head and motioned towards the books. Ron shook his head, and with an expression that Harry knew meant he was laughing, mouthed the word, "whipped." Harry flipped him off and turned away from the window.

"You can go Harry" Hermione said softly, not looking up from her books. Her piles of books teetered as she grabbed a second potions tome from the midst of a stack to her left, propped the new book on the pile and opened it to a chapter on emotion control potions. Her eyes flicked up to his, her lower lip once more between her teeth.

"Not until you do." Harry replied. He looked back down at his notes, absently muttering the transfiguration incantation for changing objects to water under his breath as he read over that part of the class work. Hermione smiled at him, and came around to his side of the table. She sat down and called her book to her. Moste Potente Potions floated over and around the stack and landed in front of her as she curled up next to him.

An hour later Hermione was still propped up by Harry, but the pages of her restricted potions text had stopped turning, as she was sound asleep. Harry grimaced as his arm grew numb from her weight, but he wouldn't have moved if Voldemort himself came in the door, ok probably for that, yeah, but not much else.

Without looking, Harry could feel her dreaming, but the thoughts did not reach the level he could listen to, without more concentration than he had free to use, as he had moved onto "work." Harry had pulled out the copy of Offensive Combat Magic that he had received from Hermione at the Burrow Christmas before last, he was rereading the chapter on energy projection spells, and was muttering the incantation under his breath for lightning-dragon fire, "laflamare draconus projectus," careful not to touch a wand or summon any magic while he did so. Harry turned the page; then jumped as Hermione suddenly started shaking. He flung an arm around her and pulled her in tight. "Hermione..." Harry whispered urgently, shaking her gently. "Damnit, Mione...LEGILMENS"

*************************Hermione's Dreams*************************

Hermione walked into a comfortable suburban home, sliding the back door closed from habit before she turned to the rest of the room. With a gasp, she realized she was home, the same house she had lived in until her Hogwarts letter arrived. She looked around, shaking as she took in the overturned and smashed furniture, the broken telly, and the collapsed door to her father's study. She ran into the study to find him sitting there, the blank look of death in his eyes as he looked at her. Tears suddenly poured from her dream eyes as her mother came in and sat on her father's lap in the oversized desk chair he had kept behind the desk. It was an action she had witnessed countless times over her childhood, but in this place there was no love in their eyes, only the empty, sightless stare of those struck by the Avada Kedavra curse.

A soft, high voice came from behind her, "You should have saved them little mudblood." A dark shadow crossed in front of her and she stood looking up at the hooded, scarlet eyes of the man ultimately responsible for the Granger's deaths. "However, you just weren't good enough, were you?" Hermione mutely shook her head, as Voldemort laughed and waved his wand over her father's desk. A small, framed picture of Harry appeared, but this was no happy reminiscence. This photo showed a lifeless Harry sprawled on the ground, blood pooled under his head as a pair of faceless Death Eaters prodded him with their boots and laughed. "You know you won't be good enough to save him mudblood, I was going to kill you, perhaps to make him suffer, but I think it would be much more enjoyable to watch you suffer after I kill him."

"We'll beat you bastard." Hermione spat, but the fire that should have been in her words was only an ember of her normal tone.

"I doubt it, girl..." Riddle walked around her slowly, Hermione's trembling eyes and the lifeless ones of her parents following him as he strutted around her, "do you seriously think that you can possibly match one such as myself, I have studied the Dark Arts for longer than the both of you have been alive, I have powers unmatched since the founders of this castle walked these grounds, and what are you, a little girl whose parents couldn't even raise a wand against me, who fell to a simple flame wand curse at the Ministry to leave your poor Harry all alone..."

Hermione opened her lips to frame a tremulous answer, but before she could utter a single syllable, a presence, one almost more familiar than her own reflection entered her thoughts, "She would be one who took that same fucker's head, Tom...who killed six of your little bastards when they came after us in my dreams...who drove off a score of Dementors from your ambush when she was supposedly much less trained than your Death Eaters..." Harry walked to Hermione, and wrapped his arms around her, his eyes were hooded as they glared at Voldemort, we will kill you Tom and any of your followers who don't surrender, now..." his eyes erupted in blue flame, "BEGONE."

The dream image of Voldemort wavered and faded away, a moment later, the eyes of her parents gained life once more, "Goodbye honey" Jane Granger muttered as they vanished with a warm feeling infusing her thoughts.

Hermione pulled free of Harry's arms enough to spin to look at him, with a small sad smile, Harry ran his hand though her hair, "Wake up Mione." With a gasp of air, Hermione's eyes snapped open in the real world.

***************************Hogwarts Library***********************

Hermione looked up at Harry, her eyes dark with unshed tears. She was half sitting in Harry's lap as she shook slightly in his arms. She knew that he had seen her dreams. "Harry, what if it's not a dream, I'm not good enough, I'll never be good enough..."

Harry looked at her and actually laughed, seeing the hurt look in her eyes, he quickly bent down and kissed her on the top of her head as he pulled her tight into his chest, "Hermione, love, it was just a dream...You are good enough, you're a much better wizard...I mean witch, I mean...bloody hell, you know what I mean." A tiny smile flitted across her lips, "Hermione you are the smartest, most powerful, most beautiful witch to grace this school since it was founded...otherwise why would I put up with you? I mean I am the Boy-Who-Lived after all." Harry said this last with his nose up in the arm as if smelling something foul. Hermione grinned cheekily up at him and swatted him on that same nose.

"And most conceited, egotistical...Thanks Harry."

Harry nodded as he held her, they sat for a minute, looking out over the grounds Harry saw the sun shining down over the mountains, casting portions of the of the grounds into shadow. He grinned as a sudden thought crossed his mind, but he carefully buried and shielded it. "Stay here a second, Hermione...I'm terribly sorry, but I have to go to the loo." Hermione pulled back and laughed at him as she let him go. Harry waved as he quickly walked from the library. He did duck into the bathroom for a second, but that was not really the reason for this excursion, but merely a side benefit. Harry stepped into a small alcove, out of sight of the hall, "Dobby" Harry muttered and with a small pop, Dobby appeared at Harry's knee.

"Harry Potter Sir, Dobby is pleased to see you, what can Dobby do for you?" The house elf smiled hugely, almost quivering in his joy.

"It's just Harry, Dobby, we are friends..."Harry sighed, getting Dobby to drop the honorifics was probably a lost cause but he would never stop trying, Harry knelt down next to the house elf and whispered into one of his bat-like ears. Dobby listened intently, nodding his head vigorously at Harry's words.

"Dobby would be honored sir, to do this," he shrugged, "it will take Dobby a few minutes though, because of where it is at." Dobby turned to disapparate away, but spun back at a noise from Harry, "yes Harry Potter, Sir?"

"Dobby, don't tell Dumbledore, ok, I promise we will be fine." Dobby frowned at Harry but nodded in the end and vanished with a small POP. Harry looked slightly guilty for a moment, but knew that Dumbledore wouldn't punish the elf for not telling. He ran back to the library, pulling up just in time to save himself a chewing from Madame Pince. Walking sedately, at least on the outside, he wound his way though the stacks to the back corner where Hermione held court. Harry paused as he came around the corner, a smile on his face. Hold court indeed he thought as he watched the shafts of afternoon sunlight catch highlights in her hair. Harry smiled as she looked up from her books at him; obviously Hermione had started studying again as soon as he had left.

Harry sauntered over, looked down at the mess of books, papers, quill and other studying accouterments, "Mione, do you have your wands on you or in your bag?"

Hermione looked at him a little quizzically, "No Harry I have my gear on me, of course..." A chestnut eyebrow crooked at him.

"Good, just wanted to make sure...Envesco" with a small pop, the books, papers and everything else on the table vanished. Hermione looked...shocked.

"Damn it Harry...I"

"Nope, enough studying Hermione...come on." Harry held out his hand, but Hermione glared at him, crossing her arms with a slight huff. Biting back a grin, Harry slowly assumed a soft pleading expression, "Hermioneeeee" Harry whined softly.

Merlin, does he HAVE to do that thing with the eyes...A small smile lit her eyes as she took his hand. "Ok, Harry what are you up to?"

Harry didn't answer directly, "Come on." Tugging on her hand, he lead her out of the Library, past those students still studying and those who should be. Harry lead her out the Library doors, down a corridor or two, down several flights of stairs and out onto the lawn. Despite periodic entreaties, Harry did not answer where they were going until, with a shock, Hermione realized where they were, "IMPEDIMENTIA" Harry snapped and the Whomping Willow froze, just as it cocked a branch to attack them. "Come on" Harry bent over, touched a certain knot on the tree and a hidden passage opened.

"Harry...we could have done this at the castle." Hermione muttered with a tolerant air as she came out of the passage into the lower level of the Shrieking Shack. She stood, hands on hips, chuckling at his sudden, thoughtful expression.

"No...though if you want to, I'm definitely not opposed." Harry replied, as he took in the jeans and short t-shirt she had on under her robes.

"Maybe later."

"As my lady commands." Harry took her hand once again and led her into a room she had never been into in all the times she been in the shack. Incongruously, the room was a perfect replica of a muggle garage, even down to the tool rack on the wall and the garage door at one end of the room. A large, something, was under a canvas tarp in the center of the room. On the walls, were several old posters, most of which seemed to date from about twenty years ago. A muggle calendar of a girl in a bikini, holding a power tool of some sort seemed to confirm this fact.

"Umm, Harry, why does the Shrieking Shack have a garage?" Hermione asked with a suddenly bemused expression on her face.

Harry smiled and put his hands behind his back and started rocking back and forth on his heels like he was teaching a class, "Well Miss Granger, for a couple of reasons, first...why not?" After a moment of consideration, she shrugged at that question, but Harry wasn't finished, he walked over to the tarp and flung it aside. In the middle of the room, a motorcycle sat. The motor, a thirty-year-old American Harley Davison, looked almost brand new, its black paint dully gleaming in the room. A pair of helmets sat on the seat, while a box or something was strapped behind the seat. "And second, Sirius had to have somewhere to park his motorcycle." Harry picked up one of the helmets and tossed it to Hermione. "Coming?"

"Just where are we going?"

"Out." Harry waved a wand at the garage door and it rumbled open. He swung his legs over the bike and with a key he produced from his pocket, the cycle roared to life. Rolling her eyes, Hermione jumped on the bike behind him, jammed the helmet Harry had given her on her head, and wrapped her arms around him from behind. Harry goosed the throttle and the bike shot off, and from the speed it took off, Hermione could tell that the bike was more than a little enhanced. Harry shot out of the town, throwing gravel as he headed down the shale roads.

Just when did you learn how to ride a motorcycle Harry? Hermione asked as they leaned around a corner and shot down the twisting roads in the mountains surrounding Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. Exactly how fast they were going was up for debate, as the needle was stuck all the way to the right. The sun shown down oddly in the valleys and winding roads as they passed deer and other wildlife. As Hogwarts and Hogsmeade were the only two settlements nearby, there was no Muggle traffic to interfere with their escape.

Lupin showed me Harry replied as he snapped the bike right, then left to avoid something, possibly a wild knarl, in the road. Besides, it's just like riding a broom anyway.

I personally try to be a bit higher than two, three feet off the ground myself, Love, I'm not a seeker, remember?
Hermione shot back, through Harry could hear the laughter in her thoughts as they conversed, which was a lot easier than speaking aloud as they didn't have to say anything over the roar of the wind.

Glimpsing a shine of silver water, Harry hit the brakes, sliding the tail of the bike around. Hermione squealed as the bike slid sideways before coming to a stop. What, Harry?

I thought you'd like a picnic.
Harry replied as he wheeled the bike towards the clearing he had spotted. Harry parked the bike at the edge of the clearing, and taking a basket from the box on the back of the bike, Harry led her to the edge of the lake. They had come around the side of the lake, in the distance, Harry could see the castle looming over the tranquil waters, while far away one could see the rooftops of a couple of buildings in Hogsmeade, they had probably come twenty, maybe thirty miles by the twisting mountain roads, but the castle was probably only three or so by a straight line.

Hermione took off the helmet she had been wearing and shook out her hair. She smiled as she saw the tiny eagle on the side of the helmet, with the flick of a drawn wand, a large tartan blanket appeared on the grass. She dropped onto it and quickly rolled out of the way as Harry dropped in almost the same spot, "HEY" she snapped as she moved, only to quiet abruptly as Harry rolled on top of her and captured her lips with his. After a long minute, "Ummm, what was I saying?"

"I dunno." Harry replied, grinning. He sat up and started laying out the dinner Dobby had packed. It was almost six in the evening and Hermione's stomach was starting to growl, especially as she had skipped lunch.

She picked up a sandwich from the stack and scooted over next to Harry, "We could get into trouble for this Harry." Hermione commented evenly, as if she were talking about the weather. "Remember we weren't supposed to leave the grounds anymore."

"Yeah..." Harry replied with a touch of bitterness. "We would hate to dull the weapon before we use it, wouldn't we." Harry didn't need to look over to see her flinch at that statement. "Sorry, I'm an prat, I did this to get your mind off studying."

Hermione's face suddenly went blank, "oh crap, I need to get back to..." She stopped suddenly and giggled a bit at the look on Harry's face. "Sorry Harry, I didn't think about it." Hermione moved around until she could see the castle clearly, "Thanks Harry, I was over the edge wasn't I?"

"Not anymore than usual." Harry ducked her playful swipe at his head as he lay down on the blanket next to her. "Maybe a bit, Mione." He glanced back at the motorcycle, "I'm glad you decided to come."

"Not like you gave me much choice, is there?" Hermione said as she watched a pair of thestrals swoop low over the lake, chasing some prey birds. She looked back on the bike, "If you told me seven years ago, I would enjoy that insane ride here, I would have called you a daft git."

"Don't tell me we've made the bookworm an adrenaline junkie," Harry teased. He took a bite of a chocolate chip cookie that Dobby had included. The cookies were even charmed to be as warm as they had been a couple of minutes out of the oven.

"Yeah, you've corrupted me. So I am your girlfriend, why haven't we done that before?"

Harry looked a bit panicked at that question for some reason, he plowed ahead anyway, "Actually I had this plan of picking you up at your parents place on it, but that never happened. I thought your dad would have liked it." Harry shrugged, apologizing without words. Hermione nodded at him, accepting all he hadn't said. She sat with him for another hour, not many actual words passing though their lips, mostly because they were busy, but also because of all the people they knew, they could sit in each other's presence for quite a bit of time without saying a word.

The sun set, down behind the mountains, and like a giant axe had fallen on the light, night fell. Hermione looked back at the now dark road, nodding to herself, "so we get to do that run again?"

"Actually no...I figured we'd fly back."

******************************Great Hall, Hogwarts************************
May 21, 2006
6:30 pm

"There they are" Hermione muttered as she directed Harry's attention with a mental jab. Harry's eyes flicked over to the doors to the hall and nodded. Griselda Marchbanks was leading several wizards and witches into the hall, most of whom they recognized as the same ones that had given them their OWL examinations, but a few new faces were tagging along as well.

Ron looked up and groaned a bit, "Oi bloody hell, that's Snodbucket" he frowned and took a bite of mashed potatoes.

"Who?" Hermione whispered as she turned to her fire-haired adoptive brother. Ron started to speak, "and swallow first...please."

Ron rolled his eyes, but swallowed his food anyway, pointedly, before he replied, "Dara, or Darla or something Snodbucket. Percy introduced us one time at the Ministry; he thought she was the cat's meow. I think she was a friend of Umbridge's." Hermione turned and glared at the witch in Marchbanks' company and nodded.

"Well then, I guess we'll find out, won't we." Harry said softly, having difficulty getting worked up over schoolwork at the moment.

****************************Little Hangleton*************************

"Potter and the other will be occupied this week Master, why don't we strike now?" Lucius Malfoy asked as he and his Dark Lord walked down the halls of Riddle Manor. A pair of Death Eaters passed them, bowing low as Riddle passed, some poor girl in their clutches. Riddle smiled at them, "Enjoy your leisure Xavier." The dark pair continued on, "No Lucius, the time is not yet right. We do not yet have the distraction prepared for that fool Bones and her forces. When we strike, they will be the only ones able to blunt our efforts, and if they are tied up...Dumbledore and his savior will die, as will any others who dare challenge me."

"Sire, may I have Potter's mudblood?"

"No Lucius, she is mine. However there will be ample for all." Voldemort turned as he entered his sitting room, "Is there any word from your son?"

"Yes, my Lord, he confirmed that Potter and the rest continue to hide behind the walls of that castle."

"Very well then, Potter will not live to see another birthday."

************************Gryffindor Tower*************************

May 31, 2006
5:00pm

"Thank Merlin" Ron shouted as he entered the portrait hole, followed by Harry, Hermione, Pavarti and Neville. All of them had just finished their Potions NEWTs and except for Hermione who had her Arithmancy NEWT tomorrow, the only one they had left was DADA on Friday. Ron jumped over the back of the couch, landing next to Luna and knocking Ginny off the couch. "HEY!" Ginny screeched, flinging a large cushion at his head.

"Sorry Ginny" Ron muttered as he kissed Luna's cheek. Luna giggled and looked over at him.

"Where there any questions about albino squeegle eggs and their potion use?" Luna asked sweetly as Hermione rolled her eyes and walked away.

"I dunno," Ron replied, "were there Herms?" He grinned.

"I don't know, why Bilius, didn't you read the test again?" Hermione shot back, grinning as well. "I have to go study for my Arithmancy NEWT, unlike the rest of you miscreants, I don't know why that course is not required study for Auror candidates, honestly." Hermione started off towards the stairs, "Harry are you going to study for DADA, or?"

Harry was looking into the fire, as normal it was burning despite it being the end of May. "Huh...oh, after dinner, I think I am going to go work out for a bit first." Harry replied with a preoccupied air. He started towards the stairs to the Head's Rooms, passing Hermione with only a pained smile in her direction.

Hermione glanced at Ron, who shrugged. Turning she followed Harry up the stairs into the Head's common room. "Harry, can I join you?"

Harry swiveled, looked for a moment, "yeah, sure, but don't you need to study Arithmancy?"

"You were the one who showed me the importance of study breaks." Hermione stretched out a hand, and the Ravenclaw sword flew from Harry's room, swerved around Harry's head and a surprised Crookshanks on the top of a chair on the way and landed in her outstretched palm, with a muffled thwack. "Lets go, shall we?" Hermione asked and vanished without a sound.

"Bloody hell, woman." Harry muttered and with a whispered incantation, his sword was in his hand and he followed. Crookshanks merrow'ed at their passage and jumped down from the chair to go deposit fur on their robes in exchange for not petting him as he deserved.

*************************Room of Requirement, Hogwarts*******************

Harry snapped into existence in the room, and immediately ducked a swipe from Hermione's sword. Diving forward, he drew his sword as he tumbled and blocked a follow-up strike behind his back. Harry snapped to his feet, grinning. "So that's how it is huh?"

"Yeah I guess so..." Hermione replied with a glint in her eyes. She circled to her left, as Harry did likewise to his right. Without a pause for breath, she sprung forward, swinging hard. Harry blocked that strike to his side, and snapped a cut at her leg in return. Hermione flipped over it and rolled under Harry's follow on swing.

"You know you are making me horny baby?" Harry asked in his best Austin Powers voice. His hand shot to his left side and snapped his wand forward, "IMPEDIMENTIA"

"PROTEGO" Hermione snarled and the spell whined off into the ceiling, "I knew that I should have never let you watch that movie this summer." She shook her head mournfully, and flicked her wand in a complicated pattern, instantly stones detached themselves from the walls and shot themselves at Harry. He rolled under two, dove over another pair and spun, "DELETRIUS" a half dozen chucks of stone crumbled into dust in the air as Harry resumed his slow circling.

"So you're not?" Harry inquired, laughingly.

Hermione gave him a mischievous look, "I never said that."

"Well they do call it the Room of Requirement." Harry stated simply as he sat down, laying the sword next to him on the mats. Hermione dropped next to him and sighed.

"I do really have to study Harry, but I..." Hermione shrugged and Harry nodded, they sat on the floor for a moment before, "Harry, what's wrong?"

"You thought that if you lured me here and tried to kill me, I'd open up?"

"Basically." She agreed, "What's wrong Harry?" Hermione repeated.

"Do you think it was like this for my parents?" Harry questioned softly, "they were almost ready for the end of school, knowing that Voldemort was out there waiting for them?"

"I don't know Harry." Hermione said softly, "but I do know one thing, I'll be there."

"I wish you didn't have to be." Harry shook his head as he played with the hilt of the sword next to his leg, "but there is no one that I'd rather have with me."

"Not even Ron?"

"Not even him."

***********************Great Hall, Hogwarts*******************

June 2, 2006.
9:00 am

The last and final NEWT had come to pass, all the rest, Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, et all, were done, for better or for worse. Hermione had even seemed pleased when she had come back to the Head's common room after her Arithmancy NEWT yesterday afternoon, at least it seemed so, from the rather long bought of 'distracting activities' that had ensued. With that thought Harry's eyes flicked up a couple of rows and over one. Shut up Harry, or it'll be about the last. Hermione growled, but he could tell she was grinning anyway. If I fail this, you are never getting off the couch when we get to Grimmauld.

What? I was studying when you came home yesterday, minding my own business when this madwoman jumped me, in my own common room.
Harry nodded to Flitwick as the diminutive professor passed, leaving a copy of the exam in his wake. Ready for this one Mione? Harry asked seriously.

Yeah, I'm fine Harry; I'm not terribly worried about this one. The practical however...Hermione shut up as Flitwick pronounced, "BEGIN, You have two hours." Harry flipped over the paper, and several seats away, Hermione could feel the grin on his face, and as she read the first four of the ten assigned essays, she knew why.

1) Describe the proper technique for capturing and controlling a werewolf, and failing that the proper means to incapacitate, and as a final resort the proper means to kill the creature.
2) Describe the effects of a corporal patronus on Dementors, give the proper incantation and wand movement, and compare and contrast the effects of a corporal patronus and an unsuccessful one.
3) Describe the effects and history of the three main unforgivable curses and discuss the rational of their legal classification, with mention of appropriate exceptions.
4) Compare and contrast the various illusions pertaining to camouflage, invisibility and other means of concealing one's presence. Include both spells and potions, and describe counters for each.

Harry's quill started scratching on his parchment, as he started in on the first question. Race you? He thought over to Hermione as she started. He could see her quill flying, as he looked around Pavarti's head. He could see Neville out of the corner of his other eye as well as several other DA and Order members and he was briefly proud, as he noticed not a one looking puzzled.

What do I win? She bit her lips idly as she described the effects of common incapacitation spells on werewolves in human and animal forms. She tucked her hair back behind an ear once more, as the she continued writing with the other hand.

Dobby at your beck and call? A half grin lit his face as he started in on the question about patroni.

Hermione rolled her eyes, he already is remember? You're paying him still...aren't you? The first question done, she moved on.

Of course...how about winner cooks for the first week at Grimmauld? No help from Dobby or Winky.

Done. I hope you like cooking a lot; remember Ron will be there too.
Harry could hear her laughing silently at that. The rest of the test passed silently, at least to one's ears. None of the questions seemed to give either of them any problems, which considering that they had lived most of them really wasn't surprising. Finally after another hour, and still with a half hour to spare, Harry laid down his quill and glanced up only to see Hermione's quill fall to the table at almost exactly the same instant. Done. Hermione crowed in her thoughts.

Me too, tie then?

Yeah, so Ron cooks right?
She replied, and Harry suddenly had to fake a cough as he choked down a guffaw. Ron's mother might be the equal of the Hogwarts elves when it came to the kitchen, but Ron, alas, had not inherited the talent. Even water was not safe from his culinary skills, or lack thereof. At once, in two minds DOBBY THEN. Harry turned in his seat to see Ron, looking at them quizzically from several rows back.

****************************Great Hall*******************************

11:25am

Harry sat next to Hermione and across from Ron at lunch after the written portion, amusedly listening to Hermione rehash her answers for the DADA NEWT. He idly rubbed his forehead, as if in waiting to for it to erupt in pain. His actions were not unnoticed by Hermione or Ron both of whom leaned in, worried looks on their faces. "Harry, what's wrong mate?" Ron asked, his eyes drifting up to Harry's daily reminder of his fate every time he looked in the mirror.

"Nothing." He replied curtly and turned to eat, absently picking up a sandwich and taking a bite.

Hermione rolled her eyes at Ron, who just shrugged and gestured towards Harry. He got up and moved down the table to where Luna and Ginny were talking quietly about something or someone, probably Ron. If Ron had gained no other knowledge over the last seven years, it was that if Harry was reticent about something, he probably wasn't the member of the trio to get it out of him. Ok Harry, spill. Still the same thought? She leaned forward and turned, her brown eyes staring into his green ones.

Harry gave her one last defiant look, then gave it up as a lost cause, I'm just...I don't know, its been too peaceful since the end of March. Why did Tom go to the trouble of attacking all those parents and graduates, and then do nothing else? He dropped his head to his joined hands and sighed, I almost wish we had gone after Tom that night even though it was a trap...at least it would be over one way or another. One of his hands fell from his face to hers under the table. Hermione immediately intertwined her fingers with his, as she lowered her head to his shoulder with a soft sound.

Me too.

What happened to that calm, logical Hermione we all love?
Harry teased. He squeezed her captured hand as he leaned against her.

She got tired Love. And logic only gets us so far.

All those parents still can't go home. Fred and George still haven't rebuilt their main shop
...A small moan snuck from the back of his throat as he absently ran his free hand ran though his hair, mussing it further. I just don't want anyone else to get hurt, and I know, God damn it Mione, I know that I'm not going to get my wish. Hermione didn't respond with anything but a squeeze of his hand. Her eyes flared as she saw Pansy get up and walk past their table, with a little wave. Pansy laughed as she walked on past at Hermione's expression. Just a little while longer Hermione. Harry muttered silently as he noticed the Slytherin princess strut past. Hermione nodded as she took him at his word.

His lunch completed, Dumbledore ambled past the pair, deep in conversation with Griselda Marchbanks. To almost any other students their conversation would be inaudible, but with a mental flick of his ears, Harry and through him, Hermione could hear their slightly heated discussion:

"I tell you Dumbledore, I do not like this; I have never seen such bias against a particular pair of students." Marchbanks muttered heatedly, her ancient voice cracking with the stress. I tried to fight it Dumbledore, but I was overridden, some one still has their fingers in too many caldrons."

"I know Griselda, I also tried to make their NEWTs more favorable, I was able to force a compromise only in that I, not the examiners pick the pairs." Dumbledore smiled falsely as a man that Harry recognized from somewhere waved at the head examiner and with a sudden flash of insight he remembered where he had seen him. He had been the Auror with Kingsley that night that Dumbledore had taken the blame for the DA, to keep Harry from being expelled.

That's the Auror Fudge had with him when he tried to arrest Dumbledore. Harry quickly explained without uttering a sound.

Fat lot of good that did them, Hermione replied, as Harry could literally hear the wheels spinning in her head. So I guess they are pulling out the stops. But before she could complete her thought, a girl about their age sat down directly across from them in Ron's vacated seat. The girl wore Gryffindor robes, was black haired, and green eyed, characteristics slightly unusual in that of all the Gryffindors either of them knew of, the only one with that combination of features was Harry. The girl smiled at them, and took a bite of an apple she pulled from a basket at the center of the table.

"Wotcher, don't you recognize me?" Tonks asked in a low, laughing voice. Hermione let out a small, unlady-like snort in lieu of a laugh, as she suddenly did recognize her. "Here I am almost totally out of disguise, all I did was lighten up my eyes a bit. These are even my actual robes."

"What's up Tonks?" Harry whispered a tad urgently.

"Came to warn you, Dumbledore sent me, but I guess you recognized Dawlish, Harry?"

"Yeah."

"Certain folks at the Ministry are still out to get you, Harry, and I guess you too Hermione." Tonks shrugged and took a bite of her apple. "Dumbledore stepped on a few toes when he had two students who hadn't even taken their DADA NEWTs teaching the class, bloody damn bureaucrats." Tonks whispered harshly. "And that's just the ones who aren't annoyed at you showing up the Auror corps. Not any of us who actually work in the field mind you," She waved her hands in a small gesture, as she glanced over at Dawlish covertly, "at least not most of us anyway."

"What's that have to do with Dawlish?" Hermione shot back.

"Those folks, several of whom are holdovers from Umbridge's reign at the Ministry, convinced certain elements that Aurors should be in the practical this year, and they concocted some, "bell-curve" muggle nonsense that the testing conditions should reflect the partners' grades. For your sins, you two have been given the honor of going against eight wizards, four of which are Aurors. They tried to get more Aurors, but Kingsley told them to sod off, and Bones backed him, bless her."

"And the rest?" Harry asked with sudden concern for the rest of his friends.

Tonks shook her head, causing her long black hair to fly around. "Not as bad as what they are sending against you two, but not great, actually it almost looks as if by chance or design, the junior Order members are in for a bit of a tussle, I think Ron and Pavarti are the worst after you two, though I think they're only up against four or so. Dumbledore also told me to remind you that you are to be quite careful in using your skills. And you can only take a wand, nothing else, no spares, no other weapons, tools, nothing. So hand them over, I suggest you stick them in Hermione's bag." Hermione groaned but got up with Harry and Tonks trailing and led them out of the Great Hall; they stepped into the cloakroom just off the front doors.

"Don't loose the damn bag, Tonks." Harry said, with more than a touch of irritation as he tossed James' wand into Hermione's, for once almost empty school bag, today since they only had the DADA practical left, and no more Hogwarts homework, ever, she just had her copy of Hogwarts a History that Harry had given her at Christmas, and a few spare quills, parchments and a bit of girly stuff. The pair of them pulled various gear and gadgets from their pockets for a couple of minutes before Hermione picked the bag up and handed it to the metamorph. The bag clanked and rattled ominously as Tonks took it with a raised eyebrow.

"Bloody hell you two, what do you have in here?"

Harry grinned, "what Nymphadora, we were just listening to you and Moody, constant vigilance remember...Let's see, my and Hermione's spare wands, Sirius' bali-song, some floo powder, my invisibility cloak, the Marauder's map, pocket sneakascope...."

"A bit of emergency healing potion, some veritaserum, a kerambit, communication mirrors, matches, flash powder, I think a vial of polyjuice..." Hermione added as she grinned slightly sheepishly.

"Merlin...I've created monsters." Tonks laughed and gave them each a hug, "Good luck, Dawlish is an ok Auror, but he's one of the ones who sided with Fudge if you get my drift."

***************************Great Hall, Hogwarts***************************

4:15 pm

Harry and Hermione sat on a stone bench outside of the Great Hall, waiting for their test to begin. Harry was propped up in a corner, with Hermione leaning back against him. For the first time in seven years, Hermione wasn't going over spells in her head right before a test or cramming notes. She just sat with Harry, her eyes closed, not quite asleep but rather relaxed. It was all over after all, while technically this test could actually determine the final class ranking, Hermione, the girl who for years had strove endlessly to be the best, who at the moment putting aside NEWT results, was the valedictorian for the this year's graduating class, couldn't bring herself to fret over it. She and Harry would either beat the Aurors and Wizards waiting for them, or they wouldn't. There was really only one fight either of them was concerned about, and compared to that one; this was a little pillow fight in the first-years rooms.

Ron and Pavarti had finally gone in for their trial about twenty minutes before, at first the groups had gone in several at a time, but by the time they got to Neville, Ron, Pavarti and the rest of the Order members the proceedings had mysteriously slowed down, with only one group going in at a time, and leaving by another door. It was obvious that the testers were adding more difficulty to each run through.

Harry kissed the top of her head as he absently twirled his wand. For the first time in months, he only had one wand on him, no extra potions, no back ups of any kind, except the girl in his lap, and it didn't bother him an iota. Like Hermione, he knew that really this test only mattered as to see if they would get Auror slots in the academy.

Finally after another ten minutes of almost absolute silence, the huge Oak doors to the Great Hall creaked open and Dumbledore slipped out, accompanied once more by Professor Marchbanks. He walked up to them as Hermione opened her eyes, "Its time." Was all Dumbledore said before disappearing down the hall.

Walking into the Great Hall, Harry and Hermione instantly saw that the cavernous room had been transformed. As the doors boomed shut behind them, they noticed various obstacles and barriers scattered about the room, no others were visible in the room except the two of them and Marchbanks. She nodded to them and in a raspy, aged voice, "When I leave, a gong will sound, your goal, is simply to survive. Your current scores have been taken into account to provide adequate testing. A second gong will sound when all of your opposition has been dealt with or if you are both disabled, also note if one of you is disabled for more than a minute, then the overall score for the both of you will automatically drop a letter grade." Hermione's eyes did flare at that, as that condition was more than unfair, but she bit her tongue and nodded. "Very well then." Marchbanks vanished out of sight.

Behind an invisible wall, several spectators stood anxiously, Dumbledore had had to fight to gain the right to observe these trials and he stood watching, waiting. Next to him, Alastor Moody and Kingsley Shaklebolt also stood, both with an odd sort of nervous energy. Mad-Eye looked over at the towering wizard, "So Kinsgley, did Amelia agree?"

Shacklebolt nodded without taking his eyes off the arena, "She did Alastor, though she has already stated her general opposition to the way these proceedings are taking place, she agrees with me. She said that if you vouched for them, and they pass this, she'll pay them out of her own pocket if need be. With a small smile Kingsley pulled a pair of golden shields out of his pocket and flashed them at Moody. A huge grin bloomed on his scarred face as he looked over.

GONG

With the sudden clime all sound vanished in the observation room, in the Great Hall Harry and Hermione snapped their wands outward, eyes and ears straining for any hint of their adversaries. A tiny scrape off to his right, MIONE Harry snapped as he dove to the side, "STUPEFY" A red bolt howled out of his wand, knocking a wizard backwards, an invisibility cloak flying free as the man tumbled backwards.

"ACCIO WAND, ACCIO CLOAK" Hermione cried and the items shot forward over to her. She looked over at Harry for an instant, and with a quick twirl of the captured cloak, she vanished. Casting a silencing charm on her steps, she padded invisibly, silently to the opposite side of the room, she couldn't see Harry from here on the other side of at least five obstacles, but she could have pointed him out to the inch nonetheless.

Harry dove and rolled to the nearest obstacle, a large chunk of stone that looked as if someone had ripped it from the castle wall somewhere. He crouched, his back to it as he glanced behind him. A fleeting glimpse of an outline greeted him, "STUPEFY, Mutiato Aqua " Harry's stunner shot was deflected with a quick shield charm, but that was just the distraction, the floor underneath the Auror turned to water, and Harry picked him off like a duck on a pond, with a quick second stunner. "ACCIO CLOAK, ACCIO WAND" Harry snapped and suddenly both he and Hermione were invisible, and the first two were wandless and out of the fight. Harry immediately silenced his steps as well and ghosted over to the side, just in time to see a door appear and three more wizards enter the room, Mione can you cast something to detect any magic users in this room besides us?

Yeah, but I can't fight if I do.

That would be bad right now.
Harry retorted as another invisible door opened and three more wizards piled into the room and quickly spread out, Dawlish among this second group.

Dawlish looked over at the others, "Smith, Sony, Diamond take the right, Busch, Gonzales and I will take the other side, cast charms to get their cloaks.

Thanks for letting us know dufus, Harry replied silently as he and Hermione cast sticking charms on their purloined cloaks so they couldn't be taken. And just in time, as an instant later, the spell from Gonzales, a dark skinned, white haired Auror impacted his cloak and failed to dislodge it.

Dawlish looked around and muttered in a rather loud whisper, "I thought Potter thought he was a hero," The other two laughed as he raised his voice, "Come on Potter, lets go, I have things to do." Dawlish shook his head and laughed with the other two, "Boy-Who-Lived, my arse."

Prick, Hermione replied for both of them, Well Harry?

Dumbledore just said that we couldn't cheat...much. Follow my lead.

Always.


Under the captured cloak Harry grinned, and raised his wand, Get ready Hermione, "NOX AREUM" Instantly the room became black, the light that would normally come in from the high windows absent as well, as they had been covered for the test.

"That won't work Potter," Dawlish laughed as he pointed his wand at his temple as did the rest of the Aurors, "OCCULUS NOCTURNOUS" Instantly the room, for them, took on a green cast as the room suddenly became bright as day as the night vision spell took effect. Dawlish fired off a pair of useless stunners, both of which missed both of them by about a mile. The Aurors slowly started to work their way through the room, each group still walking together.

Ready Hermione? Harry shot across the room, she nodded, invisibly but Harry knew she had anyway.

In the observation room, Dumbledore smiled as he waited. As he waited, Darlene Snodbucket, the person who had fought him the most on Harry and Hermione's appointments, and the probable author of this "test" ambled over to gloat.

"So Dumbledore," she asked in a high, nasally voice as in the room beyond, one of the Aurors let out at curse as he kicked one of the massive stone blocks littering the floor of the Great Hall. She pushed a pair of horn-rimmed glasses up her nose, and tittered a small laugh, "looks like your prize students are only good at hiding; at this rate we'll have to call it off so the rest of your students can eat dinner."

Dumbledore looked down at his robes as he absently picked a orange cat hair off his black robe with shining silver stars. Carefully hiding his grin, "Oh, I doubt that will be necessary, Darlene."

As if Harry was politely waiting for his elders to stop speaking, close your eyes, Harry squeezed his shut, "LUMOS SOLARE." Just as Hermione had done almost seven years ago, a sudden sun erupted in the darkness, pained cries of shock rang out in the hall. As the flare of light overloaded their amplified senses, the Aurors screamed they had been blinded. "NOX" the sun died, GO MIONE Harry snapped and they danced.

"STUPEFY" Dawlish and Sony dropped at opposite ends of the room, the remaining Aurors returned spells at the places Harry and Hermione had been at instants before, but they were blind.

The duo, however were just fine, their amplified night vision had survived the flare just fine, "STUPEFY" Harry snarled and dove to his left. Gonzales had been blindly running, he tumbled arse over teakettle as the spell took him in the side, to finally end up sliding, unconscious, into the base of an obstacle. Harry landed, rolled, and with a snap of red light, Busch fell onto his back.

Hermione had not been idle either; "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS" Instantly Diamond became rigid, as Hermione spun to her right, still invisible, still in pitch-blackness against blinded opponents. Smith did rather well as his return stunner shot through where she had been. He took a step, "IMPEDIMENTIA." Hermione's spell sent him tumbling from his feet as he fell backwards a good fifteen feet, he stood shakily only to drop an instant later as two separate stunners impacted at the same time, spinning him like a bottle in a game.

GONG

"Seems I was correct after all," Dumbledore said with a bright smile as he vanished the invisible wall with a wave. Darlene looked apoplectic as she stared at the fallen Aurors. He nodded at Harry and Hermione as Marchbanks escorted them out of the room. Kinsgley and Moody fell in with him as he started for the main doors, both of them, desperately trying not to laugh, "So my friends?" Dumbledore asked, turning to look at each of his companions in turn.

"Looks like Arthur just got his agents." Kingsley replied with a slight headshake as they stepped over the unconscious Dawlish.

Mad-Eye's eye spun around the room, as he took a draught from his hip flask, "I agree, I'll sign the paper work, Kingsley. I think that would be an O+"



A/N : There ya go, a long chapter. Which btw ya'll almost didn't get because for some reason, my laptop doesn't like the entire story, word pegs out the processor and it shuts the machine down...anyway, next chapter, a surprise, and Harry's plans are revealed.


Built by Text2Html

40. The Setup

Alas I still own nothing really.



Chapter 40: The Setup

******************************Hogwarts**********************************
June 7, 2006

"Hey Ron, wait up." Harry shouted to the redhead as he came down the stairs from his room. He glanced around the common room to notice Pavarti talking to a third year, Travis Weber, showing him the incantation for a summoning charm. She pointed her wand at a book across the room and with a slight whoosing of air; it shot to her hand. Her familiar jumped at it as it passed, while Ginny's kneazle looked at it reproachfully, and if he could, he probably would have rolled his eyes. Travis shook his head, and muttered something about failing the spell on Flitwick's final last week.

"Oi, what's up mate?" Ron replied as he looked up from a couch near the fire. He was waiting for Luna to come down for breakfast, and playing a quick game of chess with himself, by now only his family would play with him.

Harry sat down on an old, ripped armchair across from his oldest friend and sighed heavily. He looked apprehensive as if he were about to enter a room full of Death Eaters without a wand or friends. He did not look at Ron, but just stared at Ron's feet. "Ron, I need your help."

"What mate?" Ron grinned hugely, and in a voice entirely too loud, "you got my new sister preggers and I have to get you out of the country?"

With a negligent gesture, Harry wandlessly shot pillows from both sides at Ron, "No you prat." Harry laughed though and in a more quiet voice. "I'm going to ask Hermione Friday before dinner."

Just as he got that out, Pavarti jumped over the back of the couch, and landed next to Ron. Still bouncing a bit, she looked over at Harry, "so you're finally breaking down, huh?" The dark-haired girl giggled at Harry's expression, and waved over at her blond haired roommate as she came down the stairs in the company of Ginny and Luna. The trio came over and Luna plopped down on Ron's lap, while Lavender and Ginny leaned on the back of the couch. A moment later Neville came down the stairs and put his arms around Ginny. Harry looked up at the sudden crowd and dropped his head to his hands, and used them to shake it back and forth. Pavarti turned to the newcomers, "Harry's finally broken down." An immediate eruption of applause echoed around the common room and Harry flushed and glanced up, staring daggers at Ron.

"Fine then." Harry let out a little groan, "since you all know, you can help. I plan on asking Friday before dinner, and I'll need help keeping out of her way till then." Nods all around answered his call.

But it was Neville who uttered what they were all thinking, "Sure Harry, we'll help. I mean after all we already face the forces of evil at your side, I guess we can help you with this. But Harry...I'm a little afraid of Hermione, you have to promise you'll help us if she comes after us." Another slow chorus of nods answered that request, and Harry laughed.

"Sure Neville, I'll hold her back, but I'm not responsible for the lighting."

*****************************The Great Hall**************************

7:15pm

Neville laughed under his breath at their great leader as he sat silently, at least to the outside observer, looking at Hermione. Of course the two of them could be discussing advanced transfiguration, you never really knew, since they finally had developed the means to talk without words. Or at least had finally admitted it. He privately thought they had actually started around about their second year. He watched as Harry shook his head slightly as she raised a single eyebrow in some unspoken question.

Ginny raised her head, from were she had been leaning on him and looked up into his face, "what's so funny hun?" She had a small little smile as she looked up and brushed a lock of flame behind an ear.

"Oh them." Neville responded, in a whisper pitched to her ears only. "Its funny for all their powers, it shows that they are human after all. I mean he's trying desperately to hold out until Friday, and they both are oblivious to everyone else, Pavarti might as well have a sign around her neck asking 'hey Herm, has he asked yet?' Watch how she keeps looking at Hermione's hands." Ginny looked over at her friend, and giggled, which she quickly covered up with a cough. Neville suddenly looked pensive and reached into a pocket of his jeans. "Ginny would you like to go for a walk outside?"

"Sure Neville." Ginny said as she got up and held out her hand for him. Taking it, Neville led her from the hall. Ron started to say something but was quickly distracted by Luna, and he forgot what he was going to say. The pair walked in silence out the main entrance hall and down the path to the lake. Setting off along the trail, which was all too familiar from endless training runs, they turned and watched the sky erupt in fire. The sun was setting behind the mountains to the west, lighting the sky with reds and golds, a good omen for the Gryffindors below. Neville smiled as he noticed the way the colors glinted off his companion's hair, and in her brown eyes. As they reached a secluded nook on the trail, isolated from the trail itself but still with a view of the lake, he dropped the hand he had been holding and stepped back. For a long minute Ginny stood looking over at the fading light over the water, then turned to look at him, a smile on her face. The smile froze then her jaw dropped as she noticed Neville crouched on one knee, a small velvet box in one hand.

"Ginerva Weasley, I know we are still too damn young for this, and we may not live to get married anyway and if we do I know that your mother will probably go spare, but Ginny will you marry me." Neville looked a little shaky, but he held up well as he waited for a response. Instead of words Ginny jumped at him, knocking them both backwards as she captured his lips with hers. After a good minute, she broke away, her chest heaving. "So yes?" Ginny nodded hard enough to throw her hair forward over her eyes as she collapsed back down on Neville, her tiny fingers searching out the clasp on his robe.

Neville raised up enough to pull his arms out and toss it over to the side. Ginny was already out of her top before he could move an inch more, the two of them totally lost in the moment. As they settled down, a last flicker of light illuminated their wands both piled on top of Neville's cloak, neither of which was used this night.

Three hours later, the pair headed back to the castle, their clothes in place, Neville looked down at the girl in his arms. "Ginny, do you want to tell everyone now, or wait until after graduation Saturday?"

Ginny considered the question, and looking into his eyes, she rotated her new ring so the solitaire faced inward, practically concealing the ring. "I love you more than anything Neville, but you're right, we'll tell everyone after graduation, Ok?" Neville nodded in the affirmative, "besides, it looks like both Luna and I will both be waiting until next graduation to get married anyway. You know, for the first time in a long time, I'm a bit jealous of Hermione, they'll probably get hitched as soon as Harry can get Dumbledore to perform the ceremony.' Neville just laughed and rolled his eyes.

"We'll be too busy anyway, Gin." He waved up towards Gryffindor tower as if pointing towards someone, "remember we have to help carry out the grand distraction."

"Just why the hell is he doing this anyway?

"Heck if I know."

********************Hogwarts, Room of Requirement*********************

June 9, 2006
7:00 am

"Ok guys, were here to go over some things before we have our next meeting at Grimmauld in a week." Harry was sitting on a table in front of the gathered student members of the Order, all of which would be non-student members in about thirty-six hours or so when they graduated from Hogwarts. "Now as you know, Hermione, Ron and I are all supposed to start the Auror academy in July, but we've already heard that we are only going to be in for a year instead of three, as Moody vouched for us, and in the meantime, since Arthur is Minister, we will be still active. Pavarti, Padma, you two and Lavender will be out of the country for a bit?"

"Yeah Harry, mum wants us to come with her to Hong Kong for a month." Padma answered for the three of them. Harry nodded at this confirmation.

"Ok then while you are there, we might need you to look into something for us. And you might get to hook up with an old friend." Harry was smiling more or less when he said that last, while next to him, sitting on the opposite edge of the table Ron was trying not to laugh. Hermione whacked Ron upside the head, as Harry watched, and everyone chuckled though they didn't know why. "Cho just got out of the Auror Academy on the accelerated course and she's there now, so you'll be in touch." The trio nodded as Harry turned to Neville, "You with Ginny?" He nodded and Harry bit back a grin. "Ok everyone else, since I've already had all of you here since six training, get out of here, the sun's out and most of you are graduating in twenty four hours. So don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"And just what would that be Harry?" Seamus asked with a smirk. Someone chucked a book at him as they all left the room, but he could still be heard saying, "no I was serious Dean, what wouldn't he do?"

"I'll show you hun" Lavender replied in a breathy voice and the door slammed shut behind them, leaving only the original sextuplet behind.

Harry turned to the rest of them raised an eyebrow, "Now as to the rest of you. I have already taken the liberty of adding you to the house wards at Grimmauld, unfortunately as its still the headquarters of the Order, I couldn't bar Molly, sorry Ron." Everyone chuckled including Ron. Molly had not been...approving...of the proposed living arrangements, post-Hogwarts. She might have accepted that her kids had grown up, but like last Christmas, she didn't want to be reminded of it. She had berated Ron in a Howler last week for a good five minutes over the fact that Luna was to be living with him over the summer, and in fact would be living in the same room. Harry had only had Dobby and Winky prepare four bedrooms in the huge mansion for the six of them and Tonks and Lupin, who were also going to be living there. That was still at bit of a sore spot for Harry, as Dumbledore had forced it as a condition of them living there, but it could have been, much, much worse. It could have been Snape.

He grinned, like he hadn't in a while, "Anyway, Hermione and I are moving in Monday, the rest of you are welcome then, or whenever you can get your stuff moved over. Your phoenix credentials will of course get you past the main wards, but let me or Hermione know when you are coming over so one of us can sync the house defenses to you."

"House defenses?" Ginny asked with a confused look on her face, "I know about the wards that Dumbledore put on, of course, but..."

Harry shrugged, "Oh, sorry, Turns out the house has intrinsic defensive wards of its own that can be activated. Sirius never knew, as he didn't exactly get along with his parents, and we didn't know until I got a package from Gringotts after I inherited the place. Seems they never sent the package to Sirius when he got it by rights. He should have gotten it, but he was in Azkaban at the time, and it slipped through the cracks. They're not as impressive as the ones at Hogwarts, but they're good enough to buy us some time if we need it to escape."

"Fine Harry, Luna and I'll come over Tuesday, if that's ok? Mum wants us all at the Burrow Monday night for dinner." Ron replied easily as he headed for the door, Luna and Neville following. Ginny turned and mouthed, "I got her," to Harry behind Hermione's back.

"Hermione, can you stay and help me with that speed charm, again. I just can't seem to get the hang of it." Hermione looked at Harry, I'll see you later, Harry. We don't have classes after all.

Uhh sure, Hermione, though I have to work with Moody and then Dumbledore and...I'll see you at lunch I guess.
He replied silently, a sudden frown decorating his face. He shrugged as he left, Ron pulling him by the elbow as Hermione turned back to Ginny.

"Ok, Ginny, the incantation is ego accelero" Hermione said patiently as Harry left the room in the company of Ron, Luna and Neville.

The door closed, and Harry collapsed against it. He looked up at his friends, an expression on his face like someone just told him Voldemort was waiting for him in his room, and someone had run over his wands with a steamroller. "Ron...she's going to kick my arse."

"No, Harry, she'll think it was romantic." Ron reassured him, while Neville hid a small smile and looked away quickly. He and Ginny had decided to wait to tell everyone until after graduation, so as not to take away from everyone else's graduation.

"Either that or she'll Kedavra my arse." Harry smiled a bit grimly, "Ok now Ron, Luna, Neville, I'm going to have to hide myself from her, so here goes." Harry's face suddenly scrunched up and the other three suddenly felt Harry's presence diminish. "Ok, that's weird." He chuckled at their expression. "I can hardly feel your presence."

"What do you mean Harry?" Neville put in.

"You guys know how you can feel the presence of a wizard if you are in proximity?" Harry asked.

"I can now, though I couldn't when I was a first year." Ron replied.

"I couldn't either bro." Harry said as they four of them walked away rapidly. "But I can normally feel relative magic levels and if I know you I can tell you apart. But right now, I only barely know that Luna is behind and to my left and Neville is on the other side. I know where Hermione is, of course, but I can't hear her thoughts right now. Hopefully Ginny keeps Hermione busy so she doesn't notice that she can't speak to me."

"You are weird, you know that right mate?" Ron shot back and Harry laughed. "You better go. We'll head her off if we can."

"Don't get hurt" And with that Harry vanished, off to somewhere.

*************************Hogwarts, Great Hall*****************************

Noon

"Hey Ron, Luna" Hermione smiled at the pair and rolled her eyes as Luna languorously looked up from Ron's shoulder. She was sitting on Ron's lap, eating something, while at the same time Ron was eating a great deal of something. Hermione sat down and made a sandwich from the selection on the table. "Have you seen Harry, I haven't seen him since this morning, and we have to work on our speeches for tomorrow." Ron kept eating until Luna elbowed him, and motioned to Hermione.

"What, uh?"

"Honestly...Ron. Harry, you know that boy that hangs out with us all the time. Your best friend since you were eleven, the boy that lives with me. The bloody Boy-Who-Lived. That one."

"Oh, no sorry, I last saw him this morning, said something about talking to Lupin." Ron replied as he went back to eating. Ginny looked up from across the table and quickly looked down to hide her smile. Hermione grabbed her sandwich and headed back out the door.

Ginny looked at the door, "What's the bet on if Harry can keep this up until tonight? I mean she's going to find Lupin."

"Oh he's in on it too." Luna replied dreamily

A couple of hours later, Hermione was getting increasingly frustrated. She had finally found Lupin but he had merely said that Harry was out working on some assignment for the Order. And to top it off, for some reason, Harry was masking his presence, so she could only feel that he was alive, but couldn't find him or speak to him. She had given up on him inside the castle, and now she was flying over the grounds, her eyes scanning for Harry.

Far below, Harry looked up through the screen of his invisibility cloak, and a guilty flash shot through him. He shook his head and walked off towards the forest, and Norbert's lair. For right now, the dragon was probably safer.

**************************Somewhere outside of Edinburgh*******************

"You summoned me, my Lord?" Lucius Malfoy asked in a simpering voice as he swept into a dark chamber to find his master standing looking down at the Sword of Slytherin sitting on a twisted oak stand with a dark, happy look. Voldemort reached out and stroked the edge of the black blade as he gazed down on it, not looking up at his chief crony.

"Yes, I did, Lucius...it is time; we go tonight." Voldemort picked up the blade, and sheathed it inside his robes. He turned to his minion and watched as a matching grin spread across Malfoy's face. "The situation is as we discussed earlier. There will be three forces. For your loyalty, I will give you the honor of dealing with that old fool, Dumbledore. McNair has already left to gather his forces for the efforts at Diagon Alley. Potter, and his little bitch will be mine." Voldemort settled his robes and started out of the room, Malfoy trailing as he went.

Malfoy turned as they exited the room, into another where a host of Death Eaters waited. "Sire, how will we get past the wards at Hogwarts, and where is Wormtail?"

Voldemort laughed as he took in the arranged Death Eaters, who kneeled as one to him. "Dear Peter goes to finalize his treason to the Potter line. As he did to the father, so too will he visit the son. He will plant the locating spells that will allow us to get past the wards. This time tomorrow, the Earth will be pure once more, Potter, Dumbledore, and the rest will be dead, and the wizarding world will bow at my feet or die."


A/N: Ok to borrow another Indiana Jones comparison, the big giant stone ball is rolling downhill....


Built by Text2Html

41. The Pitch and the Question

I still own nothing really.
The boulder is down the ramp



Chapter 41: The Pitch and the Question

Something has to go wrong, cause I'm feeling way too damn good, Nickelback

*******************Hallway outside of the Great Hall*******************

June 9, 2006
6:25pm

"Ron, have you seen Harry?" Hermoine sputtered, trying to catch her breath as she slid to a halt. "I've running all up and down this damn castle and I can't find him. He's even blocked his presence from me, the prat. We were supposed to go to the dinner this evening as it's the last before graduation and we need to get together with our speeches for Graduation tomorrow." The words tumbled out and she stood waiting for his answer, her foot unconsciously tapping in time with her accelerated heartbeat.

"Yeah" Ron replied slowly, unconcernedly, not looking up from where he was tying his trainers, "he's in one of those moods again, I think he went down to the Quiddich pitch to think like he does, I think he's depressed 'cause we're leaving soon."

Hermione rolled her eyes and sighed softly, "You would think he would know by know that I'd find him there." Hermione frowned at the thought of a depressed Harry, but it's not like they haven't shared depression this year either. She suddenly felt something brush against her ankle, absently she reached down and brushed it, but seeing nothing she stood up again impatiently.

"You would think so, wouldn't you..." Ron replied with a barely repressed grin, still concentrating on his shoes.

"Hell... If Dumbledore asks, tell him, his Head Girl is dragging his Head Boy out of a funk again." Hermione turned and sprinted off towards the main doors, and outside onto the grounds, her robes fluttering behind her.

"Sure, Hermione" Ron said to the air, standing fully and giving a silent thumbs up to Luna, who had just stepped out of the adjacent cloak room. With a sudden thought, Ron leered at her, why should Harry have all the fun tonight? "Just stay there dear." He growled lowly, to which Luna giggled brightly.

Glancing once towards where Hermione had ran off, I never thought I'd be setting her up like that a year ago, for a genius DAMN that girl can't see the signs at times... Ron threw his arms around his fiancée and they shared a laugh.

*******************Hogwarts, Quiddich Pitch***********************

6:30 pm

In the center ring of the gigantic Quiddich pitch, Harry sat alone, his knees drawn up into his chest. His head was down and the only features one could discern were a set of black robes inscribed with a rampant lion and messy black hair. He heard footsteps and then...

"Harry James Potter, where the hell have you been?" Hermione snarled, "I've been looking for you all over this castle, though I should have known you'd be here I guess." She went on peevishly, "Damn it Harry, I've...with what we've been through, with what we've shared... you could have come to me if you were down again, that is sort of my job." Hermione stared down at him, a glare building in the corner of her eye.

Harry was careful to keep his head down and his mind blank during this tirade to keep her from seeing the grin that threatened to take over his face or the thoughts that desperately wanted to spill forth. He knew the minute that he met her eyes, the charade would be over. I never could lie to her; I might have to work on that depending on the answer to this...

"I'm sorry Mione, its just hit me and I had to get away from everyone" Harry replied softly, making sure to keep his eyes averted. And get you away from everyone, including Ron, though he along with half the damn castle is in on this by now. Under the cover of his robes, his hand brushed the front pocket of his jeans, Aw hell lets just get on with this.

Suddenly Harry looked up straight into her eyes, which had snapped to his as she overheard his thoughts. His heart in his chest, he summoned the last vestiges of his Gryffindor courage, "Hermione, from the minute you repaired a poor, bedraggled kid's broken glasses all those years ago; you had my heart. You put up with me through trials and tribulations that no one in their sane mind should have to, just because you were my friend and later so much more. Hermione Jane Granger...I would be the happiest wizard in the world if you would be my wife." With this question, Harry raised his right hand palm upward, a gold and silver ring with a large center diamond flanked by a softly glowing ruby and a sapphire on either side was floating an inch or two above his open hand.

"Yes" she whispered, as tears suddenly fell from her chocolate eyes, which were wide with shock. Her heart was threatening to break out of her chest, while the wild thought, How the hell did he manage to hide this from his thoughts, the doof? Crossed her mind aimlessly.

"What did you say?" replied Harry quietly, with a grin that threatened to break his jaw. Though he knew damn well what she had replied, and damn well what she had just thought.

"I said YES, I'll be Mrs. Harry Potter" With this promise she fell to her knees in front of him and grabbing him by the hair, crushed his lips onto hers.

****Several minutes later*******

Hermione sat in Harry's lap with her head comfortably on his shoulder, an act which wasn't terrible hard as she was only an inch or so shorter than him. "I love you, Harry, even if you are a prat." They looked out over the placid lake, which was just visible though a gap in the stadium wall.

"You, too Mione" He replied, giving her shoulder a slight squeeze. Harry picked up their joined hands, kissed hers gently, and let their hands fall back on their shared lap.

"How the hell did you keep this from me?" Hermione muttered, her eyes shining for him. She sighed as she wiggled about to get a touch closer.

You mean how did I keep it from that noisy girl that's always in my head? Harry asked silently, laughter in his thoughts.

Yeah exactly, Hermione replied, likewise without words. Stretching, she turned and kissed him gently and settled back into his lap.

"Wasn't easy" Harry replied verbally now, in their normal mix of spoken and mental communication. A sudden, random thought crossed his mind and with a mischievous glance. "You know" he began, with the smile that hadn't left his face since she said yes, "We can save money, you know, since we only need one set of initials on the towels..."

"Harry!" As she punched him lightly in the arm, thankfully much softer than he knew from hard won experience, than she could throw a punch, "Honestly, who all was in on this?"

"Besides Ron?" Harry replied with a laugh.

She glared at him for a moment, before giving it up as a lost cause, "Yeah, I kinda figured Ron, since he sent me down here after you, oh by the way, I love the ring, it matches our birthstones and everything."

"Yeah" Harry replied, " although in my defense I already owned it, it's been sitting in Gringotts. It's my mum's, so don't loose it ok." At which Harry almost looked as if he could cry. Hermione silently kissed his cheek, and rubbed his back a bit. After a few seconds he went on. "Sirius evidentially had it safe in his vault, the side stones change color to the birth stones of the betrothed, as you can see, and like all wizarding rings, it automatically resizes, though it will only fit you."

"Oh Harry..." She replied a lump suddenly in her throat, first Lily's wand and now this...

"As to your original question, lets see... Besides Ron, Dumbledore and Lupin since they went with me to get the ring out, McGonagall, most of the rest of the Weasley herd, your old roommates, Crookshanks, Hedwig, Tonks, Moody, Hagrid..."

Hermione laughed happily, a sound that did his soul good; they both had had so little cause for that this year, "Should I just have asked who didn't know?"

"Well I don't think Snape or any of the Slytherins knew, but I will rectify that as soon as we go back in for the feast" Ducking her mock punch, "actually to be fair, only Ron and the familiars and the rest of the Gryffindors knew I was going to ask you tonight, though I wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore knew too."

Hermione smiled up at him indulgently, then as he watched he could see the wheels spinning behind her eyes. "Harry" She said softly in a slightly nervous tone. Harry's heart hiccupped at that tone, and he looked at her, but he was mollified by the expression on her face. He nodded for her to go on. "Love...you know we aren't exactly normal." He nodded again, as she kept speaking quietly in a suddenly serious tone. "This is forever Harry." She didn't sound scared at that pronouncement, but rather more like she was expressing an immutable fact.

"I already said it was Mione." Harry said in return, a little confused, and truth be told a little scared.

A fact that was immediate obvious to the girl in his lap, "oh Merlin Harry, I'm sorry, I don't want to back out." She spoke quickly, the words tumbling out in her haste to reassure him, "No on the contrary, seeing as we are who we are...the formal rite would probably be appropriate." Harry instantly knew what she was talking about, though as a muggle-raised wizard, no one had bothered to tell him about it, but he had seen it in reference to other things in History of Magic texts, as very few these days took that route, even the pureblood families did not perform that ritual, usually.

"Are you sure...you know what the price could be for that. Honestly Hermione...I would rather you not take the chance." He squeezed her tightly to forestall her protests, "But I know I couldn't go on anyway, if anything..."

"Me either" she whispered in response and Harry nodded, he knew she felt that way; he was in her mind after all. Hermione slipped off his lap and knelt in front of him, their eyes boring into each other's souls. Silently, Harry pulled his wand from its holster, and with his other hand he captured her hand. His eyes never leaving hers, he pulled the tip of it across her palm, blood welling up were it passed. He winced at the sudden pain in her eyes, but his mind read her continued determination. Flipping his wand to his left hand he repeated the pass on his own hand.

Dropping the wand to the grass he grabbed her right hand with his, their blood mingled and without a command from the other, both of them whispered an incantation that was old when Atlantis was still floating, though it hadn't been in English then. "Blood to blood, soul to soul, I bind my heart, my powers and my very life to my mate, for this life and for eternity." With the last word, their eyes flared with blue light, and a sheet of icy flames the same color as their eyes enveloped them. After a minute the flames died to reveal the bound pair still sitting, their hands clasped, still staring into each other's eyes. Hermione brought her left hand up to join their joined right ones and the ring so recently given was glowing brightly and pulsing in time to their joined heartbeats. Leaning together, their lips met, and if a peel of thunder erupted over the grounds or if birds took flight suddenly from the trees neither noticed. They knelt inches apart for several long moments, before Harry finally came to his senses and smiled over at her. With a slight groan he rose to his feet.

"Anyway" as he stood up and pulled her to her feet, "we should probably actually go to the pre-graduation feast as we are the Head Boy and Girl and you are the valedictorian."

"Only because of your first five years, love, you're ahead in Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration now," Hermione replied seriously to which he just muttered in return, "I hate speeches anyway." The two started back towards the castle to share their news. As they ambled towards the exit to the pitch, "Harry, does anyone have a rat as a pet that you know of anymore, after Scabbers?" Hermione asked distractedly, as Harry leaned over to peck her on the cheek.

Harry shook his head absently, his thoughts still totally on his beautiful fiancée next to him. "No, between Crookshanks and all the other cats, and the two or three cat animagi they are pretty few and far between."

Hermione pointed with their joined hands. "Then what is that one doing over there with a weird collar?" A large, gray-brown rat, was sitting up on a stanchion, staring at them. It had its front paws folded under it as if it were hiding them for some reason. The rat was wearing an odd, worked leather collar, inset with an oddly glowing black stone.

Suddenly behind the two lovers many, many CRACKs, like a whole string of fireworks, echoed off the stands and a fierce pain erupted in their minds. Together they turned around.

"Oh Shit............"

***********************The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole*********************

Molly Weasley walked into the living room, a cup of tea with only a tiny splash of Ogden's for flavor in her hand. Over the last three years, Molly had lost weight, the constant stress of first working for the Order against Voldemort, and then despite all of her efforts, the events corresponding to the direct involvement by her entire family against the dark. It had been bad enough two years ago, when Arthur had come to her in the late evening to tell her that Ron and Ginny had gone with Harry to the Ministry on what they had thought was a mission to rescue Sirius, and had ended with his death.

A small part of her had blamed Harry, just for an instant, but then the mother in her had broken thorough. She loved Harry too much for her to stay mad at him for too long. She had even forgiven him for telling her bluntly that even though he considered her the mum he had never had, that if it came down to between her and Hermione, Hermione won.

Actually it was that conversation that occurred early one morning after she noticed that Hermione was missing from her room at Grimmauld, and therefore in his, that had totally convinced her of Harry's seriousness with regards to her.

Molly sat down in her favorite chair, and with a flick of her wand, summoned knitting needles and yarn from a large basket. She supervised as they started in on yet another jumper, this one a dark blue with an L woven into the front. It was a melancholy expression that crossed her face at the sight. This year had been both joyous and tragic for her family, she had lost a son to the fight, and though another act of brutality by Voldemort, gained a daughter. She had been glad, no that wasn't the right word, or rather it was, despite the tragedy of Hermione's parents deaths and honored when Hermione had instantly agreed to the adoption. The adoption had given Hermione the temporary guardianship she needed in the Muggle world, and more importantly had bound her though ties of magic and blood to the Weasley clan.

She looked around and as the needles kept knitting the jumper for a certain blond haired witch, she glanced at the clock. This was one of the oddest clocks in England, it did not tell the time, but it did tell the status of the entire Weasley clan ranging from home and safe to mortal peril, both native born, and with a tiny laugh as Molly considered it, the betrothed and married now. The clock was getting crowded, and as such the labeled hands had shrunk to get everyone on. Might want to look into a second clock to get everyone on at this rate. Molly thought wryly at the sight. The clock originally had started with just her and Arthur when they got married, then as each child was born, a hand had appeared.

And as one had died, disappeared. Molly poured a larger shot of Ogden's in her cup with the next refill at that thought, but she didn't cry. The clock had also gained hands this year, Hermione had appeared the instant she accepted the adoption by the Weasleys, and Fleur had appeared when she and Bill got married, a month later than planned. At Christmas, Luna's name had appeared, next to Ron's, and as she watched, a new hand faded into view with Harry's name. "YES" Molly screamed in the otherwise empty room, as the clock instantly recognized Hermione's acceptance of Harry's proposal. It was a little odd that the clock had waited until Bill actually married Fleur to add her, but both Ron and tonight Hermione's betrothed had appeared instantly. Molly raised her cup to the clock in silent salute to the clock and smiling, picked up a copy of the Quibbler from the coffee table.

Suddenly a KA-CHUNK echoed from the clock, and Molly glanced up thinking Arthur was on his way home, finally. They were going to the graduation of, three now, of their children tomorrow and he had gone to Diagon Alley to pick up presents for them. However this was not to be, as Molly watched, her stomach slowly changed to lead, as every hand on the clock except her own, started moving from their various locations; school, work, wherever, to settle finally on mortal peril. Her scream echoed over the yard, and the door crashed in as the Aurors guarding the Burrow ran in to see what was the matter. At their frantic question, she shakily pointed at the clock, and the faces of the Aurors turned white as freshly laundered sheets.


**************************Great Hall Hogwarts*****************************

Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts and perhaps the greatest wizard since Merlin walked the earth scanned the packed hall. As he gazed over the Gryffindor table he noticed the obvious absence of both his Head Boy and Head Girl. Catching the eye of their normal partner in crime he got a slight wink, which he returned with a satisfied nod. They are just like his parents. His lips broke into a wide smile under his beard, and he leaned over to his right and whispered behind a long fingered hand, "Minerva, it looks as if you may be getting another generation of Potters in a few years, looks as if the boy got up his nerve."

"About bloody time" the head of Gryffindor house replied in the same tone, "I guess we can survive another generation of Potters, though if they come with another herd of Weasleys, Merlin help us all."

"Well I suppose that's already set in stone," Dumbledore motioned slightly with his head towards Ron and Luna, who were busy snogging at the Gryffindor table, an act that any other night, would have brought their head of house down on them like the wrath of God, tonight she just smiled and continued her conversation.

What the hell, he's graduating tomorrow anyway, and he, Harry and Hermione will be on the way to the Auror academy...Of course they've, especially Harry and Hermione, have already had all the training and much more except the paperwork. McGonagall thought proudly, as she gazed on her students. "I'm just glad that Harry has that everyone he loves dies nonsense gone, " McGonagall muttered in a thoughtful tone.

"You can't blame the boy Minerva, this war has taken James, Lily and Sirius from him already. It took Hermione's parents and one of the Weasleys and its not over. Probably the only reason those two stayed apart as long as they did, not that they ever really were, was that fear, it's probably the reason he wasn't together with her all of last year, instead of just at the end. The bright hope is that they are even more powerful together than separate..." Dumbledore trailed off as he sensed something odd. Oh damn, another homing charm. His thoughts flashed back almost a year, to the day when all at once, the Weasleys had lost Percy, Hermione had lost her both of her parents and the headquarters of the Order had been attacked. A series of assaults that only failed in killing Harry and Hermione by the unleashing of their talents. Then even more rapidly, he felt a presence that he had not felt directly for many months and deep down had hoped never to feel again.

CRACK, the sound echoed throughout the hall. At least fifty masked figures stood with wands pointed at the students and Professors, though the great majority covered the Professors. The dark figure at their head strode briskly to the Professor's table and whipped off his mask.

"Albus, we meet again, and this time I seem to have the advantage." Lucius Malfoy laughed harshly. He waved around at his retinue of Death Eaters and they laughed too, a sound that sent a chill down one's spine. "And soon, if not already, my master will have killed your great hope, and his mudblood too. Unless he decides to keep her for a bit of sport." The last was delivered with a look in his eye that caused McGonagall, who was now standing next to Dumbledore to gasp. Dumbledore however cracked a wry smile as he looked down at Lucius from his golden chair.

"Think what you will Lucius" Dumbledore saw that Draco had come up behind his father, softly. The Death Eaters had let him pass unmolested, their mistake.

"Hello Father," Draco drawled, and with a sweep of his arm, he placed the tip of his wand behind Lucius' ear, "Grandfather says hello, STUPEFY." In a flash of red that lit up the hall, Lucius dropped like a sack of potatoes. The majority of the Death Eaters were dumbstruck, only to be struck by another feeling, that of unconsciousness. As the elder Malfoy fell, all of the Death Eaters had looked over at the spectacle, and a hundred wands were drawn behind them. A veritable wave of red crashed over the Death Eaters, and in the end none of those that had arrived uninvited still stood.

"Minerva, Flitwick, take care of things here" Dumbledore stood up and with his left hand grabbed a medallion carved with a Phoenix battling a snake. With his right hand he made a grand wave and muttered "Apparato protego dispurtus"

Among the crowd of students several felt medallions identical to Dumbledore's begin to vibrate and grow warm in their pockets. "Fawkes!" Dumbledore shouted, and a grand, red-plumed bird appeared in a column of fire and alighted on his shoulder. "Members of the Order to me." And with that half the Professors at the staff table and at least 10 students from each of the Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables vanished in identical puffs of smoke, and a thunder of disapparation CRACKs.

Draco's old cronies stood and looked stunned, Pansy in particular, stared at him for a long, disbelieving moment. "YOU FUCKING BLOOD TRAITOR!" She screamed hoarsely, "ADAVA KEDAVRA," a bolt of green snapped just past his ear as he dove off the stage. The spell shot past him, barely missed McGonagall and blew a two foot chunk out of the stones making up the walls of the Great Hall.

Draco twisted in mid-air, "PETRIFCUS TOTALUS." Unlike Pansy he didn't miss. She crashed forward into a pile of mashed potatoes, and slid off the table to the floor. "You weren't that good, bitch," Draco yelled over to her paralyzed form.

As if Pansy's action and Draco's response had been a signal, his now former friends let out a storm of spells, firing anything and everything they could at the rest of the hall. Professor Flitwick went down at the head table from a wild stunner, and Professor Grubbly-Plank soon followed in a full body bind. McGonagall, moving much faster than her age should have allowed, and would have if she stopped and thought about it, dove behind Dumbledore's massive golden chair for cover, which was vibrating from the myriad spells hitting it.

Glancing around, she noticed, again, that Dumbledore had taken the best with him, understandable, but annoying, Thanks, Albus, I appreciate it, really. She muttered to her herself as she poked her head around the throne-like chair to return a stunner. To make manners worse, the sixth and seventh year Slytherins, who were most of the difficultly, were the closest to the professors' table, making this a wandfight across the span of a tabletop in places. Merlin, I hope that they don't remember to enervate the Death Eaters that are already out, damn you Albus. She griped to herself as she ducked back behind the chair to avoid another spell.

With a fresh CRACK, an additional Death Eater appeared, but unlike the ones before, the woman was unmasked. She was severe in figure and pale blond. Minerva thought instantly that she knew her from somewhere, with a shout from one of her students, she knew where from.

"MUM" Draco cried, catching sight of the newcomer. His wand spun to cover her, but it shook in his grasp. Narcissa Malfoy, however glanced over at him, and down at her husband, then back at her son, taking in the situation from Lucius' unconscious form, and the fact that Draco was with the good guys.

"TRAITOR" she cried in an eerily perfect impression of Pansy's earlier shout, then shot a blinding yellow curse at her son, which he ducked under to miss the majority of the Cruciatus curse's effects. Ducking down next to Lucius, she pointed her wand at the ceiling over the teacher's table. "REDUCTO" a huge explosion erupted, followed by chunks of stone and ceiling timbers falling over the teacher's table causing the professors taking cover there to scurry away before they were crushed, but that hadn't been her goal anyway, she had needed a distraction. With an odd circular motion of her wand, "ENERVERATE ARERUM" she revived the fallen Death Eaters including her husband. "Lucius, Draco, he...."

"Later, my love, we will deal with our former offspring later, for now...EATERS, cover and out" He waved forward then back at the door. The newly revived Death Eaters, put up a fusillade of fire forward, all the while retreating towards the doors, and out into the castle proper. Lucius Malfoy suited actions to words, and led the Death Eaters he had brought, his wife, and the Death Eaters among the Slytherins in a fighting retreat down the length of the Great Hall and out the doors. Along the way several Death Eaters were stunned once more, but not nearly enough. If Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and the rest of the DA/Order were here, it would be a different story, but with the majority of them gone to fight, and at least half of the Professors gone or incapacitated, there was no chance of stopping them before they got away. As the last of the Death Eaters and their allies reached the exit doors, they paused and as one they pointed their wands upward. Repeating Narcissa's earlier performance, "REDUCTO" at least twenty voices cried as one.

The combined spells hit the ceiling over the center of the hall. With an explosion that compared to Narcissa's earlier efforts like the sun to a light bulb, the ceiling shattered. In hauntingly slow motion, huge stone chucks and massive timbers began to fall over the top of the massed students.

*****************Quiddich Pitch*******************

"Potter...and your mudblood too. So nice to see you both as you have both caused me so much trouble," A hooded man with faintly glowing red eyes, stated lowly. "Dumbledore has many defenses around this old place but as with anything there are chinks in the armor. The field that prevents apparition into this castle does so by preventing our kind from focusing on the target so in effect one cannot see to jump in or out. But with a beacon to guide us, such as was carried in by my minion here, we can find our way. It's ironic that Pettigrew here found that old collapsed passage while he was your father's friend. Oh well, I believe that the prophesy says that you will have to stand alone, and as much as I would like to take my time we are in a bit of a hurry." With that, Thomas Marvolo Riddle, Lord Voldemort, in one quick movement pulled a black wand from his robes, pointed it at Hermione and shouted, "AVADA KEDAVRA".

Time stood still, Harry's and Hermione's eyes met, a flash of light sparked in their eyes and the stones on the engagement ring glowed with a sudden, inner fire. Harry grabbed Hermione. "Protego Infentio Maxima" they snapped as one, Harry turning her from the curse, ever so slowly. A bubble of golden light surrounded them at the same instant the green bolt of the death curse reached the brown-haired girl, and in a flash of light they were both blasted though the air, to lay crumpled on the ground several yards away, both utterly unmoving.

"All too easy" the Dark Lord muttered and turned away.

A new set of CRACKs rang out in the stadium, and suddenly Dumbledore, and adult and student members of the Order of the Phoenix were aligned against the Death Eaters. The dark ones outnumbered the light almost ten to one and more than one student fingered his or her wand nervously, but not a one flinched as Voldemort cackled at their appearance.

"Too late Albus, your champion has fallen along with his mudblood lover, your cause is lost. If you surrender now I will be content with letting the Dementors have you instead of my followers." Voldemort's dark visage cracked a dark, sinister smile.

Dumbledore shook his head sadly, "Tom, you were one of my best students, perhaps, to my shame, my greatest student until those two came along, and still you don't truly understand."

"What old man? That you have lost?" Voldemort sneered as the hundreds of Death Eaters with him laughed thunderously.

Dumbledore gave him a mischievous smile, a twinkle in his eye, "No that the serpent should never go into the lion's den." As Dumbledore finished his mysterious statement, a wind started twirling around him, ruffling the robes of the bystanders, and his eyes began glowing a bright, shining white.

"Riddle!" An annoyed baritone came from behind him.

"No, it can't be" Lord Voldemort cried disbelievingly and turned slowly in an unconscious repeat of Harry and Hermione's reaction when he had appeared earlier.

As he turned he saw a sight that finally made his dark heart quiver in fear. Harry was standing and supporting a pale, but very much alive, Hermione Granger. Harry's usually messy hair was standing up and even the thick mass of Hermione's hair seemed to blow in a nonexistent wind. Both of their eyes, jade and amber, seemed to flash in time with each other in a bright, electric blue. Then as one the flashing stopped and their eyes glowed the constant, steady blue of their heritage, of their full powers. As Voldemort and the rest of the audience watched in shock, except Dumbledore who just smiled brightly, Hermione and Harry's appearance slowly changed, the paleness was gone, and in a moment, their torn clothes morphed into the battle gear of the Order and a pair of matching swords cropped up behind their shoulders.

"Bloody brilliant" whispered Ron, off to Dumbledore's side, as he continued to stare down a group of Death Eaters, who slowly started edging back.

"Tom, once again you underestimated that which you don't understand. Their combined powers and yes love were able to stop your curse. Now I would repeat your own offer to you, except we both know that Azkaban won't take you...Oh and I can feel your followers trying to jump out, and you see that just will not work, yes I dropped the wards to let mine in but I can just as easily bring them back up."

"You old fool you think that was my only plan, after all my friends make it much easier to knock down your accursed school." With a wave of Voldemort's hand, five dragons suddenly appeared over the lake. Their vast wings beating ever closer to the school, brief puffs of fire lighting up the sky as they came nearer.

As the members of the Order and Harry looked up, Voldemort ran for the school, trailed by at least two thirds of his Death Eaters.



A/N: Parts of the bonding were unconsciously inspired by Fenriswolf's Intervention, while other parts, Harry's proposal, has been written for the longest time. Thanks to Fenris for letting me borrow his idea. If you haven't read that, and are over 18...well actually you shouldn't be reading this if you are underage, but anyway...go read it. Next chapter a Forlorn Hope and a another major plot twist as obligations are stronger than....

Built by Text2Html

42. A Merry Old Time in Hogwarts

I Still own nothing
A/N: Warning this chapter is dark. People die and bad people do bad things



Chapter 42: A Merry Old Time in Hogwarts

*************Quiddich Pitch, Hogwarts***********************

With their leader running for the school, and their ability to disapparate taken by the renewed Hogwarts wards, the remaining Death Eaters unleashed a torrent of spellfire. A sudden tide of multicolored light snapped outward at the defenders, causing more than one to fall, and for at least three closely packed Hufflepuffs, to fall forever. The dragons that had been Voldemort's backup plan were getting closer by the second and in less than a minute would be in range of the defenders of Hogwarts.

"Cover" Dumbledore shouted, everyone dived behind stands, pillars and in the case of a few, down in the trenches surrounding the Quiddich pitch. Pieces and chunks of the stands flew, as severing charms, reductor curses and the occasional Avada Kedavra whittled away at their protection.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Dumbledore along with Lupin and Tonks crouched behind the Gryffindor stands; Tonks shook her head hard to knock bits of shattered wood from her hair. Dumbledore turned and faced Harry and the rest, a grim look in his eye, "Harry, you, Hermione and Ron take what ever Order members you can and go after him, he's going for the Chamber." Hermione gasped a little but the others just looked stony faced, "Nymphadora, Remus, stay here and help me, we will take care of these. Harry leave the Hufflepuffs and our few Slytherins with me."

'Professor...you'll be outnumbered even worse, there has to be at least seventy five of them left..." Hermione began.

"No he's right love." Harry interrupted. "If we don't stop him, then its over anyway. Professor, we will need the wards back down again." With that Harry stood, still behind the cover of the stands and looked to each side. "Gryffindors, Ravenclaws home in on me" Harry shouted to each side and got nods in return but nothing else, everyone else was busy returning spells as they peaked up around whatever cover they were behind.

"Wait," He turned and in a repeat of earlier tonight, Hermione grabbed his hair and roughly pulled him into a kiss fit to shame the previous one. "Ok let's go and kick their arses."

"Professor, as I remember from my reading, those two black dragons in the lead are particularly sensitive to light." Hermione said with a grim smile as she waved over at the oncoming dragons. Then without another word, she and Harry vanished silently; followed in an instant by a machine gun-like series of CRACKs as two thirds of the Hogwarts defenders vanished with them.

"Dear, as I told Riddle, you are one of my greatest students ever," Dumbledore told the empty space where she had just stood, "On three then Lupin, Tonks, as I provide the light, I believe Reducto blasts to the wings might suffice to bring them down. Well then, three..."

"LUMOS MAXIMA"

"REDUCTO"

Glaring blue spell bolts shot out, the dragon facing Tonks and Lupin fell almost straight from the sky, large holes having been torn in the membranes of the wing. The Dragon that only Dumbledore had fired on was in a flat spin, it's single undamaged wing, though beating frantically, was not able to hold it aloft. Both dragons crashed into the line of Death Eaters, whom were busy sniping at students and other members of the Order, instantly closing the odds, as at least ten were killed outright and several more were knocked unconscious.

**********************Diagon Alley, London***************************

"WE HAVE NO ONE TO SPARE," Amelia Bones screamed at the Minister of Magic, She waved at the devastation, and the heads of the ten or so Giants at were busy smashing businesses, homes, and people. Tiny sparks of light could be seen below, where almost every Auror, and troop she had been able to find were firing frantically at the Giants, though everything was so far bouncing harmlessly off them.

"GODDAMMIT, AMELIA, HE'S AFTER HOGWARTS, THIS IS JUST A DISTRACTION" Arthur replied back, "THERE'S A THOUSAND KIDS THERE." Arthur took that opportunity to fire another spell, himself, at a nearby giant. The red beam of the stunner bounced off but the giant, noticing the sting picked up a chunk of rubble the size of a Volkswagen and flung it at them. They barely dived out of the way as the projectile crashed into the edge of the roof they were on. They crept back up to the edge and saw that the giant had gone on, but down below Arthur saw at least ten cloaked Aurors and twenty or so uniformed troops lying lifeless on the ground.

That didn't even touch the civilians he saw there. The Giants had appeared in the center of the street, right in the middle of the evening post-work Friday rush at Diagon Alley. Hundreds of Wizards and Wizarding families had been there shopping, eating or just having a good time on this pleasant June evening. Not any more. And they were not alone, the Giants seemed the distraction for occasional green bolts that flicked out from hiding to fell Aurors and Ministry troops and any civilians that got in the way. "Amelia," Arthur went on in a somewhat calmer voice, "we have to end this and get to Hogwarts, I'm sure somehow, Voldemort wants us tied up here, after all, how many actual Death Eaters are here, ten or so, I saw McNair for a second, and maybe Tomlimpson, but where are the rest if this is really his target?"

Bones sighed as she glanced once again over the parapet, "I know Arthur, my niece is probably there fighting damn it, but even if we left right now with everyone, I don't have that many left to face a fresh force of His thugs, I brought a hundred men, and I hope I still have..." Amelia never finished her sentence, for at that moment, a green bolt of light shot over the parapet and took her in the head; she dropped, dead, to the roof.

"AMELIA"

*************************DARKNESS***********************************

A thirty something man with shaggy black hair, floated in a sea of blackness. He looked untouched, a wand was still held loosely in his right hand, and one could tell that his normal continuance, at one time, was a bright, mischievous smile. Not today, wherever he was, for thoughts crossed his mind at a furious pace, flashes of a battle underway or soon to be. Then, all at once, his thoughts collapsed into a single, shining memory.

***********************Chapel, Near Godric's Hollow************************
August 5, Seventeen Years Ago

The church was bright and airy, full of life. It was a marked contrast to the war against the darkness, which the majority of the participants this day, fought on a daily basis. In the church pews, several people, odd people, were perched anxiously, including a tall man with long silver-gray hair and beard dressed in bright blue robes and a wizard's hat. A matronly looking woman, dressed in a tartan robe, presumably of a highlands clan, sat next to him, occasionally wiping away a tear. Another couple sat behind that pair, these two looked more or less normal, and they had a baby boy of only a few days, in their loving arms as they sat and watched.

On the other side of the pews, a tall thin man, with a certain air of shagginess about him, sat looking on with a blinding grin. Next to him, sat a small, nervous man, who never could seem to look up at the people standing in front of the church. Behind all of these people, many others sat, in various combinations of robes or muggle dress clothes, all looking up at the front.

In the front of the church, a tolerant looking chaplain glanced out at his odd congregation before he turned his attention back to the people at the front of the church standing with him. A wiry built man with black-rimmed round glasses, and incredibly messy black hair stood looking down at a seeming twin of himself, with the exception of bright green eyes, if he were many years younger and an infant.

Holding the infant, a stunning young woman, with deep red hair and a matching pair of eyes to the little one, rocked him gently back and forth. The third member of that trio, a handsome young man, with longish black hair and deep gray eyes, stood with a huge grin on his face as he looked down on the infant. The preacher turned to the man and with a smile on his face, "Do you, Sirius Augustus Black, in front of God and these witnesses, take Harry James Potter to be your godson, to protect and to provide for him in the event that his parents are not able to, to act as his guardian in their stead, and do you understand that this is a holy obligation, not easily abandoned once accepted?"

In a strong steady voice and looking directly into the eyes of tiny Harry, Sirius replied with a smile, "I do accept this burden."

*************************Darkness****************************

The floating man's eyes snapped open, his gray, fathomless eyes glowing with an inner light, "I'm coming Harry."

Suddenly, the void was empty.

*************************Hogwarts******************************

CRACK, the sound echoed down the ancient halls as twenty-five people dressed in robes and cloaks appeared suddenly in the dimly lit second floor corridor. Harry looked down the halls, each way and saw no one, not yet. "Ok we have to keep them from getting past us, I can feel that Dumbledore has raised the wards again so they can't apparate behind us..."

Ron looked down the corridor, as he fingered his wand, "What about you and Herm, Harry? You can."

"We cheat, Ron" Hermione replied distractedly, not wanting to explain just how they did that trick right now.

Luna turned and looked at a blank section of wall, her face fell, "THEY'RE HERE" She screamed, and suddenly time for explanation was over, as a tide of Death Eaters came around the corner and crashed into them, Voldemort in the middle, not risking his precious hide in the front of the line. "EXPELLIARMUS" Hermione cried, the spell hitting the tightly packed ranks of the Death Eaters and disarming five. They looked stunned, only to be truly stunned as Hermione, Harry, Ron and Luna fired as one. The Death Eaters volleyed back a mix of Avada Kedavras and Reductos and Hermione's heart sunk as she saw Susan Bones fall to a green jet, and huge chucks being blown out of the walls. Michael Corner released a stunner, only to fall next as a severing charm found his leg. Two more students fell to silver arrows from nowhere before everyone reached cover.

Harry quickly stunned three of the Death Eaters. As he watched them fall, with a familiar feeling, time started slowing. He rode the tick of the watch, and without thinking, his right hand wand, his own, slid back into its holster and the sword riding his back came free into his hand. Harry only had eyes for the hooded figure in the center of the pack of Death Eaters, if I can end it...A Death Eater stepped in front of Harry, and with a flick of his wrist, the Death Eater fell back, blood spouting from his chest. Harry stunned another, and body bound a third, all the while edging closer to Voldemort. A fourth Death Eater fell, his hand and wand falling in an opposite direction and Harry was through the outer ring of evil. Behind him he could feel Hermione, and Ron frantically trying to catch up. He could hear the cries of pain, and the sounds of spell fire, but his eyes, blazing blue, stared into the sullen red ones that had haunted his dreams. "So Tom," Harry said mockingly, "you aren't very gracious, I allow you into my home, and you throw all of your minions in my way so I can't properly greet you."

"You will die tonight Potter" Voldemort snarled, "SERPENSORTIA" a huge snake flew past Harry's ear, and as he involuntarily turned to look, Voldemort's hand dove under his cloak and a large, black, evil-looking blade emerged. He snapped it at Harry's turned head, but Harry was faster, the blade of Gryffindor snapped up almost of its own power and blocked the strike. Harry's father's wand, which had been in his left hand, fell to the floor, as Harry had to use both hands to deflect the strike. The pair started circling warily. A Death Eater, came too close to Harry and died in an instant, Harry's attention never wavering from Voldemort.

Behind Harry, Ron and Hermione were fighting for their lives. Ron was now engaged with two Death Eaters and was holding his own. His wand was almost flickering like a hummingbird as he cast and countered spells, but he did not seem in immediate danger. The one in trouble was not Ron, but Hermione. She came through the mob of Death Eaters, just as many falling to her blade or wand as Harry's charge had left in its wake. Her right hand snapped out horizontally, cutting the throat of a Death Eater, she turned with the cut, never seeing the huge snake that in instant had wrapped its coils around her.

Voldemort had summoned Nagini not as a distraction for Harry, though it had almost worked for that, but as a means to attack her. Voldemort had seen her coming up behind Harry, and had acted. The huge snake squeezed her torso, and her sight began to black out. Suddenly, a small ginger streak hurtled though the air, and with a hiss, raked its claws across the head of the huge snake.

Crookshanks stood angrily, his tail flicking back and forth as he eyed the snake that was many times his size. The kneazle looked out of place, yet right at home in this battle, where the tableau he was involved in sat. In the eye of the storm, so to speak, at the edge of the cleared area in which Harry and Voldemort dueled furiously. Hermione saw Harry's eyes flicker over to her and saw him try to get over to her, only to be blocked by Voldemort's flashing blade. "She will die tonight too, Potter, one way or another." Voldemort cackled only to suddenly have no room for words, as Harry's attacks redoubled in a furious attempt to get over to Hermione. Voldemort held him there, barely, but it was no use.

For Hermione had other plans, that centered on a ginger-haired cat. Nagini still held her motionless, more or less, but Crookshanks attack had relaxed him enough, just for a second, to get her right hand free which was all she hopefully needed. I hope this works, Hermione thought, desperately pointing her hand at her familiar, "FAMILIARUS ENGORGIO" She choked out, her vision graying as the snake's efforts redoubled. In front of her, Crookshanks started glowing. As she watched, the kneazle elongated and grew taller, his short muzzle stretched, and his two top fangs extended downward from his upper jaw. In an moment the spell had done it's work, where a twenty pound, two and half foot long kneazle had crouched, a eight foot long, six hundred pound, great cat stood, though still with Crookshanks' markings.

The much larger Crookshanks, twitched his tail once, and bounded at the snake holding Hermione. With exquisite precision, the three-inch long claws of the cat opened huge gashes in the snake, missing her by millimeters. Hissing in pain Nagini released Hermione and sat coiled, her head high like a cobra, her biggest and last mistake. She stuck at Crookshanks, and the cat bounded straight up, twisting in mid-air. He handed on the ground next to the stretched out snake, and without a pause, Crookshanks pounced, his now great jaws grabbing the snake right behind the head. The cat shook his head viciously and with a reverberating SNAP, Nagini died as her spine broke. With an air of utter satisfaction, Crookshanks dropped the snake and padded over to Hermione. She smiled grimly and petted the huge cat, "good boy" Crookshanks rubbed once in response, almost knocking her over, then sprung into the fray of Death Eaters, to the accompaniment of new screams of pain from their masked foes.

Hermione glared down at the huge corpse of the snake, the light from her eyes casting shadows on the wall, with a grimace, she held her hand out at chest height, and as she snapped it into a fist, "INCENDIO". The remains of Nagini erupted into flames, and almost instantly faded to mere ashes. Hermione flung out her other hand and her dropped wand and sword sprung to her, she spun and ran at the duel in the center of the cleared zone.

*************************Hogwarts, Quiddich Pitch**************************

"ALBUS" Remus Lupin snapped as he ducked yet another green spell, "we have to get out of here, we are too outnumbered." As if his words were prophesies, a pair of the three remaining Dragons dove on them, and released massive fireballs, "GET DOWN" Lupin screamed, diving, he took Tonks down to the ground as waves of fire crashed around them. Dumbledore for his part had merely stood. The fire parted, revealing a glowing golden sphere around his body, which dissipated to reveal his unburned form. The dragons veered about toward the castle, and before anyone could do a thing, the third dropped in behind them, and they released three, successive fireballs. The dragon's breath of all three impacted at almost the same point, only few seconds apart, about halfway down the height of Ravenclaw tower. The entire castle seemed to shake, and a huge diagonal crack appeared in the tower. Like an avalanche in some distant mountain, the top of the tower held for a long instant, then the top slid down the crack and fell the hundreds of feet to the ground, shaking the ground and throwing up a cloud of dust, making the night even dimmer.

"NO" Hagrid roared from over to one side, and he smashed at the five Death Eaters that he had been battling with. One fell back, his eyes glassy, his head suddenly misshapen. Two of the others fell back too, Hagrid's hands flashed to his back, drawing his huge crossbow. He shot a fourth in the chest, the bolt went all the way through impaling two more Death Eaters as it flew, and clubbed the fifth with the stock of the weapon. "Those kids," Hagrid bawled as he smashed down one of the Death Eaters that tried to rise, he didn't try again.

A haunting roar echoed over the grounds, and a dark shadow passed over the defenders in an instant. One of the dragons wheeled about only to have a head, twice as big as its own, grasp its neck in its jaws and snap through. The dead dragon spiraled down into the lake, where a gigantic tentacle pulled its remains under. A mammoth dragon appeared in the darkness, gliding though the cloying smoke and dust.

"NORBERT" Hagrid thundered in a mix of shock and awe. Norbert roared his immense roar in response and began dueling the remaining dark dragons. His fireballs however were an eerily glowing blue, each crackling with lighting, instead of the deep red of his opponents. Norbert swooped under a fireball, and returned fire. The crackling bolt hit the opposing Dragon's neck and a horrible resounding POP was heard echoing over the grounds. The dragon fell from the sky, and cart wheeled across the lower field, smashing Hagrid's hut before the trees at the edge of the forest finally stopped it, though several of those broke, before it lay still. The last dark dragon wheeled about, heading for the mountains, and possible escape, but the fact that Norbert was twice as fast as it did not bode well for its future.

Dumbledore had turned and watching the dragon fall from the sky, he noticed a streak of movement and pointed upward, "You got your wish, Remus." Dumbledore shouted over as another fifty wizards and witches alighted on the ground, now surrounding the depleted ranks of the Death Eaters. Kingsley Shaklebolt landed next to Dumbledore, panting heavily.

"We came as soon as we could, Albus, but with the protections up on the school we couldn't apparate here, we felt them drop for a moment, but they came up again." Kingsley shrugged as he pointed his wand at the Death Eaters, now in the center of the pitch, "SONORUS", "THIS IS KINGSLEY SHAKLEBOLT OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC, SURRENDER NOW AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED." For a moment, it looked as if the ploy would work, the Death Eaters on the field were now outnumbered and surrounded, especially after half of the number that had remained behind when Voldemort went for the castle, had already fallen, but not everyone had given up.

From the center of the Death Eaters, "AVADA KEDAVRA," a green bolt snapped out and before anyone could move, Kingsley Shaklebolt, veteran of a thousand battles, fell to the ground.

Half a dozen more Kedavras shot out, and Thomas McMillan, Elizabeth Viehl, Robert McBride and Theodore Washington, Aurors and Order members all, gave their lives in defense of the light. With that final, terrible waste of life, Dumbledore waved the rest back.

"ENOUGH" Dumbledore roared, and his eyes blazing, he strode forward at a march, he turned to his right, "ASTRUM DELATARIS" the cloudless sky suddenly grew dark, clouds occluded the moon, and with a thunderous snap twenty bolts of lightning hammered from the heavens incinerating two-dozen Death Eaters. A pair of Death Eaters charged him from the side, one with an axe the other with a short sword in addition to their wands, Dumbledore blocked the axe strike negligently, ducked under the second sword strike, and cut left, then right. The spray of blood from the pair stained his robes for an instant before they cleaned themselves as stepped over the bodies.

"AVADA KEDARVA" a pair of Death Curses shot at Dumbledore's heart, only to howl off into the night, as he was somehow not there when they struck. The horribly glowing white eyes turned to the offenders, "COLLASPUM" instantly another three Death Eaters seemed to shrink, to fold in on themselves, each one's screams fading as they folded themselves into tiny singularities.

A wave of a wand, and five more lost the very air they breathed.

The remaining Death Eaters backed away quickly, they had had enough; one turned, "REDUCTO." The spell blasted a hole in the wall of the Quiddich stadium and the remaining Death Eaters sprinted out into the night under a hail of stunner fire.

Dumbledore saw Lupin turn to run after them, "no Remus. The castle. Now. They won't find safety in the forest this night." And with pronouncement, all of the fifty or so remaining outside defenders turned and ran towards the castle as fast as they could, Dumbledore streaking ahead in a burr of purple robes. Lupin paused for a second and SHIFTED into his werewolf form, the ability to change when he wanted to a gift from one of those witches battling inside, and ran ahead, much faster than a normal human could go. Everyone else followed them as fast as they could only to catch up at the main doors to the pair. Lupin had changed back, he and Dumbledore stood over a pair of Death Eaters, who seemed to be still alive. The group heard a thundering of feet and snapped their wands to point at the corner of the hallway. "NO" Dumbledore thundered as he saw the blond student at the head of the column. The Order members raised their wands quickly as Draco came running up to Dumbledore.

Dumbledore noted with bitter amusement that Draco had shed his Slytherin robes, and was wearing just the jeans and t-shirt that he had undoubtedly had on under them, no doubt in an effort to keep from being mistaken for his former comrades. Draco met Dumbledore's gaze breathlessly, "Professor, the Great Hall, it's collapsed, McGonagall sent us in pursuit of my father, he had about forty Death eaters and about ten or so students, minus the ones we stunned on the way of course. Did they come past here?" Draco added before his adrenaline addled brain caught up to his mouth, "Oh, sorry, right."

"It's fine Draco, Sturgis, take your forces and go to the Great Hall and secure it, Alastor, Tonks, Remus, Draco come with me, I suppose that Harry might want some help by now." Dumbledore ran up the stairs as if he were twenty-four instead of the one hundred and fifty four that his Chocolate Frog Card claimed. The named wizards followed hastily, about half of those that were on the pitch were behind them; the other group ran down the corridor to the Great Hall, to start rescue efforts.

**************************2ND Floor hallway*************************

CLANG, Hermione's sword snapped in at Voldemort's head, he barely blocked that unexpected strike, and then twisting his wrists, he blocked Harry's follow up cut to his midsection. Harry spun and snapped a cut at his head, which was blocked then slashed at his arm. Black blood tainted the Gryffindor blade, and Voldemort suddenly had a flash of panic in his eyes. He jumped back and in an instant, snapped out his wand, and blasted them off their feet; he spun and pointed at the maelstrom between him and his goal. "EXPELLIARMUS" he roared and wizards and witches from both sides went flying like bowling pins. Voldemort ran though the hole he had created in the fighting towards the second floor bathroom and his goal of the Chamber entrance.

"SHIT," Harry roared, and spun to Hermione, "you ok?"

Hermione nodded, "yeah," She looked about and saw Ron still dueling with the two Death Eaters from before. Dropping her sword, she drew her wand with the speed of a striking snake and felled one of the two. Ron instantly seized his advantage and promptly stunned the other. He saw them, and ran over, pausing only a second to punch an inattentive Death Eater in the head, and kick another in the back of the knee, felling both of them, and stunning both before they fell to the ground. "Did you see," she gasped, as she shot another stunner at the attacking Death Eaters, and Harry repeated Voldemort's trick staggering several.

"PROTEGO ENCLOSEUM" Harry snapped and a shining silver hemispheric shield surrounded the three of them.

"Yeah," Ron nodded, and then as he glared around the fight, he saw that thankfully most of the good guys were still kicking. He glanced around, and noticed as well that the number of Death Eaters didn't seem to match the numbers that should be here, "Looks like a lot took off"

Harry nodded grimly, "Ron we..."

"I know mate, go, I swear none of them will get though to help him." For a long tense minute the trio stared at each other, thoughts of the last seven years, flitting across their eyes. Ron turned and charged back into the maelstrom, as he went he jumped into the air, and as he came down he had transformed into his animagus form, the great red tiger. Ripping and tearing until he was next to Luna, who was, along with Ginny, Neville, Seamus, and the Patil twins, blocking the passage. They hadn't been able to stop Voldemort but had dropped enough statues since to provide a barricade. Any Death Eaters behind that barricade were unconscious or dead. A milling mob was still back up the hall a ways, but they didn't seem to want to come close and play.

Mione we need to even the odds a bit first...Hermione nodded grimly, her eyes went unfocused as she concentrated, her lips moved, her wand drew a complex rune in the air. With a sudden CRACK, the floor beneath eight Death Eaters opened, and closed almost as fast, with a wet splat. Harry nodded, stood, cocked an arm, and flung the Gryffindor blade. The sword whirled through the air, spinning and five more Death Eaters fell on its arc back to Harry's hand. "EXPELLIO" The advancing front rank of twenty or so Death Eaters flew backwards into a bank of armor lining a side corridor, which with another wand flick, started attacking their provided victims.

"GET DOWN" They heard Ron scream, and they dropped to their knees and watched as five WWW VeryFangedFrisbees whirled into the second rank of Death Eaters causing another six to go wait for their master in Hell. Harry flung up a shield once more and they glanced back to see Ron waving at them, "GO GODDAMMIT" Ron yelled over the din of battle. Harry turned to meet Hermione's eyes where they crouched under his shield, a hail of spells raining down on them. Their hands met, and they vanished.

Almost as if their disappearance was a signal, the Death Eaters that hadn't wanted to fight decided it was time to come out and play. In a single wave they charged the remaining defenders and the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws, rose to meet them. The wave crashed into the shoals of the impromptu defenses, breaking as if on rocks, and a flurry of spell bolts ripped back and forth.

Ron looked over at the spot where his two best friends had just stood, then back at the Death Eaters. He ducked sideways as a green bolt snapped past his ear. Then out of the corner of his eye, he saw Gretchen Jones and Will Farcastle crumble to the ground, their lifeless eyes staring up at the ancient stones. He swallowed, Go bro, sis, I meant it; Merlin himself isn't going to follow that bastard. Kill the fucker for me. He spun around, his back to a sheltering pillar. "Seamus, Dean" he pointed "Drop back and make barricades at the corner. Pavarti, Padma. Cover them from here. None of these fuckers is going to help their master." The twins nodded, their raven hair bouncing. He watched as Ginny stuck her wand out from cover and shot random stunners, while Neville rolled out under her fire and dropped two more.

"What are you going to be doing?" Luna snapped, as her impediment jinx bounced a Death Eater back several feet. She flicked her wand again, and with a neatly aimed bone loss curse, the Death Eater was on the ground, his legs no longer supporting him.

"Keeping a promise." Ron growled and leapt foreword, SHIFTING in mid air. He came down and bounded forward, his three-inch claws ripping the throat out of a Death Eater. He bounded again, into a knot of four, taking the first down as he landed, SHIFTING back. He snapped a severing charm at the arm swinging a rather nice falchion at his head. He caught the falchion in his left hand as it fell, and sliced it sideways, opening up the chest of the Death Eater on that side. The fourth fell in a flash of red light, and he SHIFTED again, leaping towards a lone Death Eater standing by himself. Suddenly a flash of silver light snapped out and he felt a searing pain in his side and right arm, and could no longer feel his wand hand as he collided with the Death Eater and SHIFTED back to his red-haired form.

Ron lay on his back, white bone gleaming from the effects of the severing charm that had lain open his side and right arm and glared up at the Death Eater he had collided with. The Death Eater laughed as he shot another curse at Ron's right leg, laying it open to match his arm and side. A red pool stared to grow beneath Harry's last knight, and Ron grunted softly as he glared defiance at the Death Eater.

"Stupid fucking blood traitor" Robert McDuff growled as he glared down at Ron, "your whole family will die under the heel of Lord Voldemort, but you won't be alive to see it. AVADA..." But before he could finish the curse a low growl was heard behind him. He spun and a luminescent, white wolf looked up at him, her fangs bared, her ice blue eyes boring into his. She sprung; "urkkk," McDuff fell away, his eyes sightless and looking up at the stone ceiling.

Luna padded over to Ron her white fur, once perfectly spotless, now matted with blood. She SHIFTED and knelt next to Ron. A flash of movement out of the corner of her eye, "REDUCTO," A Death Eater, thinking her distracted fell backwards, his head popped messily like a giant grape. She smiled down at Ron weakly as she snapped a defensive charm up to block several incoming spells. "HELP ME" Luna screamed, and Seamus and Dean who had already been charging forward, unleashed a flurry of spells. They were instantly joined by every other member still standing. The inundation of spellfire drove the Death Eaters back for a bit, and if most of the spells that flew back towards the forces of darkness were not stunners, that time had long since passed anyway.

The boys each grabbed a shoulder one handed, keeping firing off spells with their opposite hands as they pulled Ron backwards. They reached the fallen barricades and chucked Ron behind a statue, and rolled away. Luna tucked in next to Ron and gave him a grim smile. "Idiot."

"Thanks Love." Ron replied painfully, the boys had not been gentle; they hadn't had a choice. He groaned as he looked right and left, the statue was more or less in the center of their line, "Seamus, Dean reductos now" he turned, "Pavarti, Lavender see if you can turn that patch of hall into a swamp or something. Luna."

"Yeah"

"Kiss me." Ron groaned as Luna did just that, and returned to directing the defense, the stones of the castle turning red under him.

*********************

At the far end of the battle, Neville Longbottom was in a fight for his life with Bellatrix Lestrange. He dove sideways, out of the way of a bombarta curse, and hastily deflected a hemorrhage hex.

"Aw once again it's the baby Longbottom, would you like just to die, or would you rather join your parents?" Lestrange cackled in a falsely childish voice. She was almost dancing as she shot lethal spells at Neville. Bellatrix shut up abruptly as she had to hastily deflect a shining silver severing charm and spun behind a statue for cover.

"I'd rather see you join your husband in Hell, I believe that was him that just got crushed by the rather large stone falling on his head" Neville replied calmly, as he saw a huge block of stone dislodge itself from the wall in the wake of a wild Reductor curse, and crush at least ten of the Death Eaters waiting to get into the fight.

"What" she turned and looked, and with a shout of rage she turned back and screamed "Crucio" .

The blast took Neville straight in the chest and a pain unlike any other coursed though his body. Thoughts of his parents lying in St. Mungo's these last sixteen years coursed though his mind along with flashes of stacks of bubble gun rappers in his bed at home. Fighting though the pain, he turned, pointed his wand and forced though gritted teeth, "Petrificus Totalus"

With a shocked expression Lestrange froze solid and toppled backwards. Ginny Weasley, who had noticed what was happening out of the corner of her eye, pointed her wand at Neville and uttered "Finite"

"Thanks, Gin, I owe you" shouted Neville over to her.

"Hon, you already owed me more than you can pay, what's one more" she replied with a grin, as she dodged behind a pillar.

I'm glad I followed Ron and Harry's examples before she got away. Neville thought, as he walked over to the paralyzed Lestrange, spells almost seeming to avoid him of their own free will. Time enough for that later I am in the middle of a wandfight. "You know when I said you could join your husband, Bellatrix, well I lied, I think a much better hell for you is in a hole in Azkaban with your own personal Dementor" And with that pronouncement, he raised his wand to her paralyzed head and muttered "Stupefy". Neville ran back and dove under cover again just in time for a green bolt to miss his head.

A Death Eater had seen her fall however; he pointed his wand at her "Enervate." Bellatrix sprung up and cackled hysterically at Neville, who had seen the action with horrified eyes, "YOU SHOULD HAD KILLED ME WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE LITTLE BOY." A sudden blinding flash of light erupted in the dim hallway behind her, blinding almost everyone in the fray. She spun as she heard a low, lethal growl from behind her, "YOU'RE DE...URK" Bellatrix collapsed in a spray of blood, the huge black dog that had ripped her throat out, and almost took her head with it, bounded away, barely dodging the spell bolts of the terrified Death Eaters. Padfoot bounded, once, twice, then over the students barricade, transforming in mid-air and landing in a shoulder roll as a human, wand in hand.

Sirius glanced around at the defenders looking for Harry or at least Ron or Hermione; finally he spotted Ron crouched behind a statue, beside Luna. Ron looked pale, and Sirius barely transformed back from his dog form, could smell his own blood on him. Sirius crawled over to Ron. Seeing Ron's torn right arm, ripped open to the bone, Sirius pointed his wand at the ground, "ferula." A pile of bandages appeared, and Sirius started wrapping Ron's arm.

Ron's eyes flicked in a double take at who was bandaging him, "I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!" Ron snapped, and then let out a moan as Sirius tightened the bandages.

"How did you get this?" Sirius asked as he leaned around the statue and shot off two stunners. Both of his targets fell and he slipped back, "and where the hell is Harry?"

"Got it while I was in tiger form, some damn Death Eater hit me with the edge of a severing charm." Ron gritted, as he pointed his wand around the corner and fired off a spell of his own, left-handed.

"They went off after Voldemort" Luna replied, though exhausted she kept fighting, she snapped off a full body bind on a Death Eater that had jumped over the barricade, he fell to the ground and Sirius stunned him almost absently.

"THEY, and where?" Sirius replied with wide eyes.

"Hermione and Harry" Neville replied, from where he had just crawled over. "I thought you were dead?" He asked in a strangely incurious voice.

"WHERE," Sirius roared.

Ron sighed, "The Chamber entrance, Sirius, Voldemort is going to activate it and cleanse the world of muggles and muggle-borns," Sirius glared, "Moaning Myrtle's," Ron managed and finally passed out from loss of blood. Sirius frowned, turned and SHIFTED, he sprinted down the hall, his four legs eating up ground.

Behind them, Luna bent over Ron, while the ten or so remaining defenders fought on.

*******Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom, The Entrance to the Chamber of Secrets********

SNAP-HISS, SNAP-HISS, A pair of red stunners hammered the back of the open tunnel entrance, but Harry and Hermione's spells missed Voldemort by milliseconds as he dropped into the chamber entrance. As they watched, the bathroom entrance started to close. Neither of them made a conscious decision, they both sprinted and dove through the rapidly closing entrance, the soles of their shoes just barely missing the closing portal.

Just a second too late, a huge dog ran into the room, jumped and crashed into the just-closed portal. Sirius transformed back, "GODDAMMIT" He roared and kicked the pedestal. Angrily he kicked it again, and turned to return to the fighting, where he could at least do some good for someone.

**************************Seventh Floor Hallway***********************

"DAMMIT, GO INSIDE YOUR COMMON ROOM," Severus Snape hissed at the group of terrified Gryffindor girls. Five of the students, a mix of second and third years, had been late to dinner, and now if they were very lucky, would live to see dinner tomorrow. Snape had been up here on an errand for the Order, when he had felt his dark mark burning. The fact that he was now the highest target for the Death Eaters right after Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore had not changed that fact. Snape had been heading down stairs when he ran into a group of twenty Death Eaters coming up to the Gryffindor dorm, for a purpose that he carefully did not think about. He watched with satisfaction as the girls dove into the Gryffindor common room and the Fat Lady closed over the hole.

Fortunately the Death Eaters had not yet spotted him, and they were still as of yet, one floor below, trying to coax a stairwell into returning. He had time to prepare a welcome; quickly he cast a charm on the floor, and on two suits of armor standing to either side of the stairway landing. And then his time ran out, he heard the Death Eaters combine their powers to summon a moving stairwell into connecting the sixth and seventh floors. Quickly he dodged behind a outcropping near the entrance to Gryffindor Tower and waited.

"WHAT THE HELL!" A loud rasp rang out from the Death Eater at the head of the group. Impossibly, it looked as if the stone floor had turned to ankle deep mud. The Death Eaters staggered forward slowly in the mud, a couple fighting their way to the sides of the wall, coincidentally right next the armor suits. SWISH, thump, thump. Without warning the suits had come alive, and swung their still quite sharp swords at the Death Eaters. That pair fell away, blood spurting from their wounds.

With a howl of anger, the lead Death Eaters pointed their wands at the suits; "REDUCTO" The ancient suits shattered, pieces of the armor clattering down. The remaining eighteen or so Death Eaters all turned to either side of the Hall, glaring at the remaining suits as if daring them to act.

They were looking the wrong way, in a swirl of a cape; Snape appeared for just a moment, just long enough to cast a pair of curses. "ASPHYXIATIA, ASPHYXIATIA." He danced to cover on the other side of the hall, just in time to witness the pair of Death Eaters in the lead, turn puce and fall to the floor, dead.

"Who's there?" The new leader of the Death Eaters growled. With a hiss, he swept his mask from his face and threw it too the ground.

"Is that you Hamilton?" Snape asked airily, "did Lucius put you up to this or did you come up with this idea yourself?" Even as he spoke, Snape glanced around the corridor for his next move, ah yes, the ceiling. Crouching, he pointed his wand at the ceiling, "REDUCTO" A bright blue bolt snapped out from his wand and exploded, knocking stones flying. A chunk fell and hit a Death Eater at the rear of the pack, and as they glanced instinctively upward, another two Death Eaters fell, victims to a severing charm and another strangulation curse. Unfortunately for the good guys, the one sided battle was over.

With a sharp command, six of the remaining Death Eaters volleyed reductor curses at Snape's possible hiding places. He dove out from behind a pillar just as it shattered, causing a fist-sized chunk of stone to glance off of his head, opening a five-inch gash. Snape snapped off a severing charm as he dove, slicing off the wand arm of yet another Death Eater, and then his resistance was over. As he landed, three separate Death Eaters screamed, "EXPELLIARMUS." His wand flew across the room well beyond any hope of recovery. Encircled by Death Eaters, disarmed, Snape slowly rose to his feet and glared at the remaining dark wizards.

Hamilton grinned at him, "CRUCIO!" Severus grunted as he fell back to his knees, fighting with all of his willpower to not scream as a thousand hot knives tore at his flesh. As he knelt writhing in pain, Hamilton walked slowly up to Snape, knelt down and placed the tip of his wand behind Snape's right ear. "My master will reward me for this." Hamilton whispered, almost lovingly in Snape's ear.

"Don't you know, Xavier?" Snape grunted out through the pain, "Potter is going to destroy him, and then I bet he and his mudblood will come and visit you." Snape choked out a laugh as Hamilton growled in anger, jumped back, "AVEDA KEDAVRA" in a snap of green light, the potions master of Hogwarts had fallen, redeemed at last.

Fire in their eyes, the Death Eaters, pointed their wands at the Fat Lady, and with another volleyed reductor curse, the portrait exploded, revealing the entrance to Gryffindor tower. From within, frantic cries could be heard as the first of the Death Eaters walked through the unguarded entrance.

******************************HALLWAY**************************

In the hallway the nine remaining defenders stood their ground, crouched behind statues and around corners. Neville, Ginny, Padma, Pavarti, Seamus, Dean, Luna and Dennis Creevy, of all people, were still fighting. Ron was more or less awake, and painfully trying to direct the defense, though by now he couldn't really hold a wand up. The defenders had fought an almost thermopolyian defense, for the cost of their fifteen or so that were dead or wounded in the fight to hold the corridor, almost a hundred of the Death Eaters that had continued to try to charge them lay in the corridor, more than half of those dead. For in the end, stunners had not proven enough as long as other Death Eaters kept reviving their comrades, and reductor and severing charms and other lethal spells had started to fly from the students along with a few toys that the twins had developed for just such a situation. Crookshanks was laying in a corner, panting, he had a broken leg from a reductor, but had managed to maul at least ten Death Eaters before he was forced to retreat, limping to his friends.

The fifty or so Death Eaters that remained were crouched down themselves, but they would eventually wait out the students. Another fifty of their number had spilt off and headed for the upper floors although no one really knew why. The entrance to the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw dorms was on the seventh floor though at opposite ends, as was the Room of Requirement but what good would those do? Ginny rolled over on her back, carefully still under the cover of the statues, and glanced over at her brother and her fiancée. Ron had passed out again, and Neville looked drawn. All of them would have looked worried but what was the point, really. I really wish I had a large animagus form about now like Ron. Ginny thought with a twinge of dark humor, as her little tiny cat, wasn't much of a threat. She just shook her head at Crookshanks where he crouched guarding the wounded, he couldn't run, but he'd make the Death Eaters pay for those wounded students when it came to that.

The slap of large paws on the stone floors echoed down the hall and Ginny pointed her wand back down the hall, only to see a huge black dog, hurtling down the corridor. The dog skidded to a halt, transformed in mid skid, and thumped to halt as Sirius' shoulder hit the stature under which Ginny, and now him, were taking cover. "Hi Gin" Sirius said matter-of-factly, "REDUCTO." His spell, carefully aimed at the ceiling above the Death Eaters dropped chucks of stone on their heads, hopefully squashing some more.

Ginny just stared for a second, and wondered idly what else, Hell Hermione and Harry already deflected a Kedavra today and fought Voldie to a draw. "Hi Sirius" Ginny said tiredly.

"Not going to ask why I'm alive?" Sirius quipped as he returned yet another spell.

"Too tired" Ginny replied simply, and then she caught Neville's eyes out of the corner of hers. They were wide and a little shocked, but with happiness, not fear.

"DUMBLEDORE!"

The end was neigh for the Death Eaters, the students had held long enough for Dumbledore to end the fight outside and arrive. The torches in the hall added an eerily backlight to the scene, as his face was in shadow, while his eyes were glowing with a harsh, white light. Dumbledore strode to the center of the hall behind the Death Eaters, and in a voice like the Hammer of Thor, "SURRENDER OR DIE!"

With the words a howling wind swirled up the corridor, bringing with it the smell of blood and other things to the bedraggled students, but they didn't care. In the hall, a clatter of wands fell to the floor, and in a wave Dumbledore summoned them to a small neat pile in front of him. "INCENDIO" the wands burst into flame. "Now not that I don't' trust you," but, with another wave a large cage appeared, and with another, every Death Eater alive was suddenly a small mouse. That was something Ginny's animagus form could take care of. She SHIFTED and along with her familiar, who had appeared suddenly, she herded the mice that tried to get away to the cage, where Moody was levitating them in.

Dumbledore sighed and leaned heavily against a wall, watching with tired eyes Ginny, Spooky and Moody's efforts. He closed his eyes, and without opening them, "Welcome back Sirius."

Lupin's head spun as if on a swivel, and he stared at the bloodstained, tired wizard. He ran the three paces over to him and crushed him in a hug, "How, Sirius, How?" Lupin said as Tonks looked on with a tear in her eye from where she was bandaging a Gryffindor fifth year.

"Don't know Moony, I was in the void one second, I remember seeing Harry's baptismal and where Lily and James named me as godfather, and suddenly I was in the middle of the fight, but I was too late." Sirius growled angrily as he finished.

"Then it is up to them then," Dumbledore replied then opened his eyes; he looked over at his students, with more than one tear in his blue eyes. He was silent as if making a decision, "Alastor, do you mind working for miscreants for a while?" Dumbledore asked mysteriously, and Mad-Eye nodded slowly. "Sirius, Lupin how well do you remember the secrets of this place?" The Marauders looked at each other then back at Dumbledore.

"Well enough," Lupin replied for them both.

"Then go, and here" With a grunt of effort, he summoned the Marauder's map, "Damn strong wards you have there Harry," Dumbledore muttered, than in a normal tone, he continued as he reunited Sirius with the map, " This might help, take Alastor, Tonks, yourselves and whatever students are still in the fight and go and remove whatever Death Eaters you find in my castle, go" As Dumbledore turned and started down the hallway towards the girls bathroom, he saw Madame Pomfrey and Madame Pince come running down the hall, already yelling behind them at the second and third years they had found to help with the wounded.

Sirius smiled grimly as he realized that Dumbledore had not said how he was to remove then, only to do so, he pushed on a well remembered stone, and a passageway appeared in front of him. Sirius ushered his group into the passage, Lupin following after, "Moony want to come out and play?"

Lupin turned and looked back at the dead and wounded students, "Yes Padfoot, I believe that he does," As Sirius watched and the passage closed, Lupin's fangs elongated.

***********************Chamber of Secrets*****************************

With a thump, Harry and Hermione fell to the bottom of the shaft. Their wands were already out, questing, but Voldemort had not stopped to wait. They could hear his wet, slapping footsteps echoing in the corridor as he ran down the corridor to the actual entrance to the chamber itself.

"CRAP," Harry groaned and they took off, Harry heard the steps pause and, "DOWN" he snarled and swept Hermione to the ground with him, crashing into a large shallow pool of lake water. A pair of green bolts snapped through the space their heads had just occupied, they rolled apart and fired stunners in return; but Voldemort was long gone. Hermione swept wet bangs out of her eyes, as she looked forward, her eyes searching for their prey.

From somewhere ahead, they could hear the sound of stone grinding, "he's opening the Chamber," Hermione whispered in Harry's ear. She pushed herself back to her feet and got up and ran.

Harry got up and pelted after her, soon catching up just in time to see the Chamber door seal itself. Harry drew his other wand and spun, to the right side of the door, his back to the wall. On the other side of the heavy stone door, he saw Hermione do the same. His heart sunk when he saw her, but he wasn't about to try and stop her now, instead, he flashed back almost exactly seven years, "Hermione" he said with a tight little grin.

"Harry...you're a great wizard you know." She retorted having read his thoughts. A small, tight smile graced her lips.

"Not as good as you." Harry replied, looking directly at her.

"Me!" Hermione snorted, "Books and cleverness...there are more important things...Harry I love you."

Me too...Love he has to die; it ends tonight one way or another.

I know,
Hermione replied sighing audibly.

Harry turned to the door, "OPEN" he murmured, but the word came out in parseltongue. The door ground open, and together they dove in, "AVEDA KEDAVRA" they cried together, and four brilliant bolts of green pierced the gloom.




A/N: Next the duel you've waited seven books for ;-)


Built by Text2Html

43. ENDGAME

I really own only the plot...okay I own a couple of things, but nothing really important.
A/N: Ok here we go.

Chapter 43: ENDGAME

*******************Hallway outside Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom**************

"ALBUS" Minerva McGonagall snapped as she came running down the corridor as fast as her legs would carry her. "Is it true?"

Dumbledore waved a wand and sat down, tiredly, on the chair that appeared. The students, both dead and wounded had been carried, carefully, respectfully, to the infirmary, or to the Slytherin or Hufflepuff common rooms depending on their conditions, as Ravenclaw tower was on the ground and Gryffindor tower still wasn't secure at last report. He glanced around at the house elves, already working hard at removing the various reddish stains that coated part of the floor and walls. The bodies of the dead Death Eaters were lying out by the shattered remains of Hagrid's pumpkin patch, covered with a tarp someone had conjured over the bodies. Not because anyone cared about them, but to keep the birds off, no one wanted to poison the birds after all. "I don't know Minerva, is what true?" Dumbledore replied as he sat with his eyes closed, he pulled off his glasses and polished them with a bit of his robe, still not looking up.

"That they have gone into the Chamber after him." An expression mixing amazement and horror flitted across her normally stern visage.

"Yes, Minerva, that is true." Dumbledore said with a nod.

"And Sirius is back" She said with an odd combination of a frown and a smile.

"True"

"And that you gave, Lupin and him a hunting license to hunt down any remaining Death Eaters, and you let them take my Gryffindors with them." She placed her hands on her hips and glared at him, a look that would have killed a lesser man.

Dumbledore merely held up his right hand and waggled it back and forth, "In a manner of speaking, yes. I am afraid that I might not have been specific on the means of, ahem, capturing any remaining adversaries, however."

"Albus there are, or rather were five dead Death Eaters in our entryway before I banished them to the pile outside Hagrid's hut." She almost snarled the response and she sat down heavily in the chair that Dumbledore had summoned for her. Down the corridor a bit, the three fifth year DA members that were acting as her bodyguards, paced a bit, looking up and down the corridor nervously.

"Marcus, Samantha, Steve" Dumbledore said down the corridors to her escorts, "please leave us for a bit." The two Ravenclaws and solitary Hufflepuff wandered off around the corner though Dumbledore knew quite well they didn't go far. "Minerva, do you notice those stains on the wall? "

"Yes," she snapped heatedly.

"I didn't put them there, nor did Remus, nor for the most part did Sirius. Minerva it may be my greatest failing since I became Headmaster, but the vast majority of our students lost a great deal of their innocence this night. Now that we have that out of the way, how is the rest of the school?" Dumbledore opened his eyes and looked at her finally, and she could see the pain there, soul-rending deep.

"As well as can be expected, we were really lucky, even though it pains me to use that term, we only lost four students when Lucius' fiends blew the ceiling on the Great Hall..." Her reserve crumbled and McGonagall suddenly broke into quiet sobs, "damn it Albus, they were mine, I lost Sara, and Steve and Horahse and Griffin, they were just second years, and they had survived the battle at Hogsmeade last year by the..." She broke off finally, not able to complete the sentence, she started crying openly, and Dumbledore reached over and pulled her into his shoulder.

"Now, now, Minerva"

********************Secret passage, seventh floor**************************

Lupin held his wand up, the tip alight as the rest of his group crowded around the Marauder's map, which at the moment was zoomed in on Gryffindor tower. "Sirius, I don't like this at all, this is the last group on the map, and we've stopped the rest." Soon after leaving Dumbledore, and consulting the map, they had discovered that for some inane reason the surviving Death Eaters had broken up into small groups and had either ran for the door and temporary freedom which made sense, or had spread out throughout the castle, which only led to their defeat in detail. They had ambushed several of the groups escaping, witness the bodies that McGonagall had complained about, but most of those taking that route had already fled before they got there. Between them and the various other Order-led groups the castle had been pretty well cleaned up by now. The last remaining Death Eaters were up in Gryffindor tower, the only problem was there seemed to be several students in with them, and considering the gender of those students, Lupin had a sick idea of just what the Death Eaters plans had been.

"I know," Sirius growled, almost as if he were in dog form, "There's just no way in there except through the portrait hole." They had already looked out the peephole and saw that the portrait of the fat lady was in ruins; someone had indisputably used a reductor curse on her. "If there is we never found it, or it'd be on the damn map, FUCK!"

"Ginny," Lupin said softly, over to where she was standing by Draco and Neville, "Did Fred or George or Ron, ever say anything about a secret way into Gryffindor, we found the ones into the other dorms, though that was after Filch took the map from us, but we never found Gryffindor."

"Why don't you ask us yourself?" A familiar voice said, coming up the passage.

"Yes, honestly, and you call yourself Marauders" Fred finished.

"George, Fred" Ginny squealed quietly and hugged her two much bigger brothers.

George held her at arms length for a moment, "We just got here, we had to fight our way out of Diagon Alley then apparate to the edge of the grounds and run up here. You ok there Gin?" He looked around, his question obvious, "And Ron? Harry? Hermione?"

"I will be. Ron was hurt pretty bad, he lost a lot of blood, but I think he'll be ok." Ginny nodded at them, as she replied hesitantly, more out of hope than belief. She looked down a moment, "Harry and Hermione went after Voldemort." The twins just nodded, grimly.

George and Fred turned to look at the group, which now numbered eleven: Tonks, Sirius, Lupin, the Patils, Ginny, Neville, Luna, Seamus and Dean, had already survived the battles in the corridor, while Draco had lead his group of students in hunt of Death Eaters, but after finding them ambushing Death Eaters he had sent the rest back to help where they could in the Great Hall or the infirmary, Moody had gone with them, as he was having problems getting around in the sometimes narrow passages with his wooden leg. "We actually do know a way." Fred said leaning in.

"We found it out of desperation actually.' George muttered, a little embarrassed.

Fred shrugged his shoulders, "You see after Harry started siding openly with Hermione in her Prefect duties last year."

"And their becoming Heads this year" George said rolling his eyes.

"Business was suffering." They both said at once.

Sirius and Lupin glanced at each other and rolled their eyes in unison, in a harried tone Lupin asked pointedly, "Skip the smuggling woes boys, where?"

"You see that's the rub" Fred said, "we can't actually open it, it comes out here." His finger pointed at the Heads' common room. "We only tried to use it once but the door wouldn't open, I guess you need the password the same as for their normal door."

"Doesn't matter," Lupin said with a cold smirk, "Harry can repair his wall later; we blow it. Nymph, take Draco, Ginny, Fred, Luna, Padma and Pavarti, I'll take everyone else; you'll hear me blow the wall, give us a minute and come charging in the front. Tonks nodded. She gave his hand a quick squeeze and pulling on a unlit wall sconce, she led her group out a newly revealed door to the corridor. They surrounded the destroyed Gryffindor entry portal, waiting for the signal, wands pointing into the dark entry hole.

George waved and said, "Follow me," he pushed another stone in the wall, and a staircase was revealed.

****Five Minutes Later******

"As soon as we get done changing, blow the wall George." Lupin said and turned to Sirius, "ready old friend?"

"I just come back from the dead, and here you are making me change back and forth, I'm getting a headache Moony," Sirius grumped and changed in an instant to his animal form.

"Just be glad that Hermione was able to make that potion to let me transform at will and keep my mind when I do Padfoot" Lupin changed too, but before he did, even in dog form he could see the pain that that careless remark had caused Sirius. He knew it, because he shared it too, as did probably everyone here, except maybe Draco and possibly even him. For after all in the end this was just a sideshow, no matter how dangerous this little excursion was. The pair that the two of them both had taken into their hearts, even if they wouldn't admit it out loud, as replacements for James and Lily, were fighting the real show almost a mile below their feet.

"REDUCTO" The wall exploded inward and the grim and the werewolf sprung foreword, jumped over Harry and Hermione's couch and down the stairs. A pair of screams could be heard, as the rest of the team members followed as fast as they could, but they were no match for the speed of those two.

Draco led the group in the front door and saw George coming down from the heads stairs. George immediately turned and ran up the stairs to the boy's dorms, closely followed by Seamus and Dean. They all spun as they heard spell fire erupt from within the girls rooms, then after a second, Lupin came out, a sick look in his eyes. Almost at the same moment Seamus, Dean and George came down the boy's stairs having found no one, unfortunately that was not the case for Lupin or Sirius. He walked over to Tonks and said quietly, "Tonks take the girls and go up there; Sirius is still up there in dog form."

"Why Remus?" Tonks asked then with a sudden realization of horror," Luna, Ginny, Padma, Pavarti come with me please," she ordered in a slightly shaky voice. Tonks leaned close to them and said a few hushed words that made the Patil twins gasp, and they hurried up the girls' stairs together.

Lupin turned and punched the wall, the werewolf hormones still coursing though his veins allowing him to shatter through the wood paneling. "Draco, you, Fred and George go find McGonagall, and if she is available Madame Pomfrey too."

*******************The Chamber Of Secrets***************************

The death curses Hermione and Harry had fired as they dove in; hadn't actually been expected to kill Voldemort, but hey they could have gotten lucky, and they did mean them. The four shot the length of the gloomy chamber and exploded as they hit the back wall, right next to the legs of the giant stature of Salazar Slytherin. Huge divots were blown out of the walls, but unfortunately Voldemort had taken cover as he heard the door opening.

Harry and Hermione advanced slowly, their wands outstretched, ears straining for any hint of an unforgivable headed their way. They heard no such thing, but did hear Voldemort's high, hissing voice, "So you finally hate me enough to kill me huh? Potter? Your old fool of a mentor would never stoop that low. And I see that you brought your pet, tell me Potter, would you rather have her die now, or shall I hold her for the enjoyment of my followers, I'm sure Bellatrix in particular would love to entertain her for a while." Voldemort broke off laughing.

He's trying to goad you, Harry. Hermione thought desperately at him.

I know, watch out, he's somewhere ahead; this close he can't hide his presence from me. Harry replied in his thoughts. Then with a grimace, "Tom, Tom, how many times do I have to destroy you in this chamber?" Harry shouted into the gloom, his eyes constantly scanning for any hint of his nemesis.

***********************Gryffindor Tower*************************

Draco, along with Dumbledore, Pomfrey, and McGonagall appeared suddenly in the Gryffindor common room. With a tired, old look, Lupin summoned the newcomers over to a quiet corner by the fire. With a look that told the male students still standing watch to stay back, he didn't quite meet Dumbledore's and McGonagall's eyes, "Minerva, Albus...we were too late, we should have come here first."

"Explain, Remus" McGonagall murmured, though Dumbledore's face had already fallen, he knew, and somewhere inside she did too.

"We ambushed the rest of the groups as we found them, we wanted to go from top to bottom so they wouldn't escape...we should have done it in reverse. We gave those bastards too much time. I guess they thought they had already won, as they umm, had their fun." Lupin's gaze fell to the floor, as the exact terms that he couldn't bring himself to use, were heard anyway, in their own imaginations at least.

"MY GOD" Pomfrey gasped, "Are they?" Her face, already pale, was suddenly the color of her hospital bedsheets.

"Yes, Poppy," Lupin managed, "Ginny and Sirius are up there in animal form, along with the rest of the girls..." Pomfrey gave him another quick glance and sprinted up the stairs, taking a deep shuddering breath as she went.

McGonagall looked at Dumbledore, tears staining her robes, but she was a Gryffindor too, their head in fact, "Albus, I should..."

"Yes go, Minerva, go" McGonagall ran up the girls' stairs as well, as Dumbledore turned to Lupin, "What else Remus?" The weight of ages in his voice, behind him Sirius came down the stairs in dog form, and as he reached the bottom of the stairs, he became human again, though rather green. Sirius darted quickly into the bathroom on that level, and soft retching sounds could be heard.

"They didn't kill any of them Albus, but..." Lupin broke off that thought quickly, and shifted to another painful topic, "We uhh, found Severus, out in the hall. It looks like he tried to protect the kids...but he failed in the end, we found like eight or ten of them dead...I guess he did deserve that DADA job."

Dumbledore shook his head, mournfully, "In the end, redemption was his, Harry was right you know" Dumbledore put in thoughtfully, "that mark was only a mark, not a branding of the soul." As he finished, Sirius came out of the bathroom, pale, but steady.

"Any word, Albus?" Sirius asked, without preamble. He fidgeted a bit as if he wanted to run out instantly, but he held his ground, for now.

"No, I am afraid not, everything depends on them, now."

***********************Chamber of Secrets, Hogwarts************************

Harry and Hermione, had separated, and were dodging from serpent carved pillar to pillar on either side of the hall, quickly moving from cover to cover, wands questing like bloodhounds for targets. The dim red glow of the chamber lit one end of the room, but there were no torches lit, and the shadows were deep. Harry dove behind the pillar second from the one nearest to the end, and the opening containing Salazar's statue, he looked pointedly at the shadows across from him, do you see anything?

No, you?

No I can hear him, breathing, but I can't tell where in this dammed chamber.
Harry replied, his thoughts, more than a little annoyed.

"Potter...I thought you came to die, why aren't you coming out." Voldemort's laughing hiss echoed from the walls, seemingly moving from place to place around them.

Shit...he's in the pipes, Harry gritted his teeth, and with a deep breath dove out into the middle of the room, out in the open, stay hidden Hermione. Harry muttered in his mind, overriding her sudden complaint. "Tom...I am getting bored, I really have better things to do tonight, so if you would come out. I can kill you and go to bed, or something...maybe a butterbeer, I'd like a butterbeer about now." Harry finished in a conversational tone. He "heard" Hermione laughing, just a bit in his head. Harry closed his eyes, and then reopened them slowly. "Thomas Riddle, I challenge you to a duel, come out, and fight me, you worthless piece of dragon dung."

Over near a leg of the statue, a dark presence detached itself from the shadows and stepped into the open. "Potter..." Voldemort hissed, "You dare to challenge me?"

"No Tom..." Harry replied slowly, glaring into his burning red eyes, "I dare to destroy you."

"Do you now, boy?" Voldemort hissed in response. He walked out, his wand pointed at Harry, whom in turn had his pointed at Riddle. Voldemort and Harry started circling slowly, stepping carefully over the detritus strewn over the floor. "You do realize the protocol for a duel, don't you boy? Your pretty little mudblood can't help you. You are all alone against me."

Like, he's going to fight fair...Why the FUCK are you doing this Harry? Hermione snapped in her thoughts to Harry, even though the duel was accepted, she kept her wand pointed at Voldemort's head. She kept mostly behind a pillar, so as to keep cover as best as possible.

Time love, Harry whispered back in her mind, we aren't playing fair either, if you get a shot take it. And, Mione...be careful. "Yes, I know Tom, I know my, what did you call her, oh...yes. I think as I reminded you last time we met, that the last one of your Death Eaters to call her that was delivered in a box...I am puzzled though, if you are dead, whom do we send your head to?"

"The prattle of the young, so refreshing..." Voldemort responded with a dark, heinous smile. "You could join me of course Potter, Lucius has been such a disappointment in the end, after all...and you have so much potential...I might even let the mudblood survive to be your pet."

Harry could feel the anger filling the ether to his right, and he knew the time for words was gone. "Wands or steel? Tom" Without taking his eyes off his nemesis, he gave a precise military bow in lieu of a more formal one.

"Why dear boy...both" With a look of fury Voldemort snapped his wand towards Hermione and shot a death curse as he charged towards Harry. CLANG, the Slytherin sword struck the ancient steel of the Gryffindor one, and Harry flipped away, using the momentum of the strike as an impetus. Hermione ducked behind the pillar, which was almost shattered with the force of the spell, but she was unharmed, more or less. She wiped blood from her eyes as she slipped to the next bit of cover, the Kedavra had missed, but the explosion of stone had bounced a marble sized chunk off her forehead.

Voldemort summoned a silver shield just in time to block a pair of spells from Harry, but the shield shook violently and rang like a church bell as he did so. "AVADA KEDAVRA" he shot back, uselessly as Harry dove behind another pillar. "Potter I thought you were going to destroy me? Hiding won't do that. Especially behind those pillars, SILICIS VIVO" Voldemort screamed and waved his wand at the pillars lining the walls, each carved in the image of a serpent. The same pillars that both Harry and Hermione were taking cover behind.

With a grinding of stone on stone, the pillars came to life, the carved serpents slithering down the pillars and rearing up like an army of giant stone vipers. As one the Gryffindors dove into the center of the room, with a manic glint in his eye Voldemort pointed his wand at Harry's heart, "AVEDA KEDAVRA"

"EXPELLIARMUS" Harry snapped at the same instant, and as had happened three years ago, the spells met in a blaze of golden light. But this time, one of combatants was far more powerful than before, and he wasn't alone.

Voldemort watched in a touch of shocked deja vu as the spell slowly and inexorably crept back towards his wand, "EXPELLIARMUS" Hermione snapped the spell at him. The spell nailed Voldemort in the chest. It didn't cause him to drop his wand, but it did break the spell lock, and it did one other thing, it just for a second released his hold on the stone serpents, and that was all the time Hermione needed, HARRY. His gaze flew to hers, and a microsecond later he followed. The castle might prevent most people from apparating with magic even Voldemort or Dumbledore couldn't challenge directly, but she still obeyed her Headmaster and founders or in this case their Heirs. And while Riddle might in fact be one, technically, his line had severed its ties to the castle a thousand years ago, in a battle much like this one, only in the Great Hall.

Rowena and Godric had walked away from that day, and the castle would help if it could today, though here in the chamber the powers of the grand old lady were limited. Without a word, Harry stood back to back with Hermione, she pointed her wand at the ground at their feet, "REDUCTUS ARERUM EXTRAIUS" A circuitous turquoise wave of light snapped outward from the point of aim of her wand, shattering the thirty or so stone serpents into gravel, and ending at the walls of the chamber, which groaned mightily but held. Voldemort fell to his knees as the wave passed, and with a slight groan he resumed his feet.

Hermione quickly flicked her wand at the sides of the chamber, right then left. The shattered remnants of the stone snakes stacked themselves into a large mound of crushed stone, encapsulating Voldemort in the blink of an eye. Eyes flicking to her, Harry waved his wand in a giant circle, the tip trailing fire and with a final jab of the wand into the center of the flaming ring, "MUTATIO SILICIS VALLUM" The hemisphere of shattered rock glowed bright white for an instant, then faded to reveal a black, featureless dome. Harry looked at Hermione, who bit her bottom lip nervously and stepped back a bit, her wands not dropping from their encased foe.

Hermione whispered urgently, "Do you think we..."

But her question was answered for them, as the dome shook, then as Harry dove to the ground, taking Hermione with him, the dome exploded, razor sharp fragments of stone whining off the walls, tunnels and Harry's back, "SHIT" Harry snarled and kept rolling until they both were behind a large chunk of fallen stone. Voldemort laughed loudly and started towards them, chuckling darkly. Harry rolled off Hermione and glanced around the room, "ENFLAMARE" Harry growled, swishing his wand at the torches lining the walls. Streamers of fire shot from the lit torches, igniting Voldemort's robes in a plume of fire.

"AVADA KEDAVRA" a green bolt hissed from the center of the flames, crumbling the stone that Harry and Hermione hid behind, the explosion picking them both up and tossing them against the wall of the chamber ten feet away. "IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE POTTER?" Voldemort screamed as he walked from the flames looking uttering unharmed.

"Actually I was just getting warmed up, Tom" Harry replied as stood and MOVED, Voldemort tracked him, and shot three spells after his blurred image, each shot missing by bare centimeters and cratering the walls in his wake. Not slowing down, Harry ran at the wall next to Voldemort, then up and over, letting his momentum send him in a lazy flip over his head, "EXPELLIO" a wave of force shot outward from Harry's wand, and Voldemort flew backwards, Hermione stood, "REDUCTO"

"PROTEGO CONTEGO" a shining silver shield appeared in Voldemort's hand, and with a crash like thunder, Hermione's reductor reflected off into the far, dark end of the chamber, "DIFFINDO SPARSI" A hail of sliver bolts shot from Voldemort's wand, Hermione dove out of the way, but not quickly enough to totally escape the magical shotgun blast. Blood stained the stones behind which she covered now, Voldemort's curse having sliced her leg and laid her back open, though neither mortally.

HERMIONE, Harry cried in his mind as he spun back to the dark one, "CONDUCTUS TERRATUS." An electric blue snake of lighting wound its way along cracks in the ground, towards the Voldemort. An explosion echoed off the walls, and Voldemort went spinning through the air to land in a heap in the middle of the room, next to the huge remains of the basilisk. He rolled to his feet, and pointed his wand at where Harry had gone to Hermione's side.

He snapped another Kedavra at the pair but they were long gone. Voldemort didn't bother looking for either one; he turned and sprinted in a blur of robes to the cover of the statue's giant feet. As he looked out on the chamber he saw Harry advancing from cover to cover, "CRUCIO!" He snapped, and hit Harry in the side, and then with stunned amazement he saw Harry writhe in pain for just a moment, then with a shake of his head like he was trying to dislodge snow from his hair, Harry stood upright, and dove behind the next bit of cover as if it had never happened.

Voldemort turned and dove once more into the pipes, Harry heard the echoing of his footsteps in the surrounding pipes, and stood, looking down at an entrance to the catacombs. I'm going after him, Mione.

I'm coming with...

No,
Harry snapped back, but at the sudden snap of anger, he shook his head, she couldn't see the action, but she felt it just the same. You didn't let me finish, I'm going in here, you try to find another way in, He felt her sudden agreement and his stomach grew tight, Hermione, don't you dare die on me.

Of course not, you still bloody well owe me dinner, you prat.


Despite the desperate situation, Harry chuckled inside as he SHIFTED and leapt into the open entrance. His black form vanished in the darkness in the eight-foot tunnels; his steps were silent as he strained his senses for any sign of Voldemort. He turned left, and then right then left again. He stopped suddenly as he heard an echo of the death curse ring off the walls for an instant. His brief flash of panic was dampened as he received a silent reaffirmation. He sprinted towards the sound of the spells, only to stop suddenly as his enhanced ears heard a slight scraping from the left. Instinctively he sprung to the side, as a man-sized snake shot at where he had been, its fangs already extended. Harry's paws hit the side of the tunnel and instantly propelled him back at the spot where the snake had landed. Before it could move, the great Gryffindor lion grabbed the snake in its jaws, just like Crookshanks had done earlier with Nagini. But unlike Nagini, the snake suddenly started burning a sullen red. Stung, Harry flung the snake away from him watching as it SHIFTED in mid-air into his hated enemy.

Voldemort spun and fired a spell at Harry, which was deflected as Harry had already transformed back and raised a shield. Voldemort used the split second distraction and headed off towards the right. Instantly, Harry pursued only to pull up suddenly as he encountered Hermione in another tunnel. She turned to him, shrugging as she turned, "IMPERIO" the spell took her in the back and as if in a trance, she turned and raised her wand to Harry's throat.

A high-pitched voice rang off the tunnel walls, and behind Hermione, a malevolent presence emerged from a tunnel, its wand still pointed at her back. Voldemort positioned himself directly behind Hermione and laughed. "The end is at hand, Harry. Either your mudblood gives in and kills you or I do, either way, I win."

Hermione however had other ideas. Unseen to Voldemort, she gave Harry a slight wink and flicked her eyes to the right and down. Harry gave an invisible nod in return. Sorry Tom, I don't think so her thoughts snapped out, as he continued to try to make her cast the curse on Harry.

She dove down and to her right, twisting as she did so, "DIFFINDO" Harry snapped, and the curse shot through the space her head had previously occupied. Black blood sprayed outward, hissing as it hit the sides of the tubes. Voldemort jumped into a side tunnel and ran again, heading back towards the main chamber. Harry ran back the way he came, motioning to Hermione to repeat her earlier steps as well. Harry soon reached the place he had entered the tunnels and leapt out, back behind his previous cover.

"What's wrong Tom...Never seen an unforgivable thrown off?" Harry's voice echoed from the ancient walls. He dodged out to glance at Voldemort, but this time Voldemort was ready.

"REDUCTO" Voldemort snapped, the reductor hit Harry in the side of the chest, knocking him spinning, his wands flying from his hands, "EXPELLIARMUS, ACCIO" Voldemort snapped, and Harry's sword went flying from its sheath, and his wands flew to Voldemort's outstretched hand. The sword while strong enough to resist anyone but its rightful owner summoning it, was now lodged in the rubble somehow, feet away from Harry, and he was wandless.

"HARRY" Hermione screamed and dove out from the cover she had found to take a desperate shot at Voldemort, Lily's wand tracking ever so slowly in her left hand towards his head. Unfortunately that was what he had been waiting for. Without a pause Voldemort fired the Death Curse at her, away from any cover. Desperately, she swung the Ravenclaw sword in between them, just as the spell reached her. In a blinding flash of green, she flew through the air and smashed into the wall behind, to slide down lifelessly to the floor.

"Your mudblood is dead Potter," The hooded man cackled, the red glow from his eyes growing brighter by the second. "She did not escape me a second time" Voldemort turned from the lifeless body, and turned back to him. Voldemort idly twirled Harry's wand. "I have your wand, Godric's sword is buried under the rubble and you are weak, so weak Potter, if you hadn't let me distract you with her fate you might have destroyed me. As it is, oh well, it is time to end it." The red glow illuminating his eyes grew bright as he pointed his wand at the feet of the statue, "OPEN" Voldemort hissed, but the words came out in Parseltongue. A panel appeared, with a carved channel that seemed to exactly replicate the outline of a sword, the very dark blade that Voldemort carried in fact. Voldemort turned back to Harry and idly pointed his wand at parts of Harry's body, as if deciding what part to torture first. "Shall I kill you now, Harry? Or shall I wait until after I have activated the chamber so you can see how utterly pointless your resistance was? Before you die."

Harry looked up with pure hatred in his eyes, but even so it did not consume him, for he knew something that Voldemort did not, it wasn't over not yet. Damn that's going to leave a mark. Hermione muttered in his mind, her thoughts colored with pain. He purposely put that fact out his mind, and on the job at hand.

Harry slowly, painfully, stood up, he could feel the ends of at least two broken ribs rubbing together and he panted with the pain. His eyes flicked to a spot slightly behind Riddle and with a last hiss of pain, a smile slowly grew on his face, and he laughed bitterly, "Tom, you just never learn do you, you have been trying to kill me for sixteen years, and you know what?"

"What?" Voldemort snarled.

"That power you know not, it's behind you."

"EXPELLIARMUS" Hermione bellowed, her hand outstretched, she had rolled onto her back, and fired the spell directly at Voldemort's back wandlessly, her sudden movement flinging blood from a gash on her forehead onto the stones below. A wave of pure force hammered the Dark Lord, Voldemort's wand and Harry's captured ones flew twenty feet from him. He started to spin towards where Hermione lay, her eyes glowing, panting slightly, blood plastering her hair to her forehead and staining the stones beneath her, but very much still in the fight when he froze, impossibly Harry had once again vanished from in front of his very eyes.

"Hello Tom." Harry hissed, and the Sword of Gryffindor danced. Voldemort barely caught the edge on his blade. A strike to the head, another to the body, both blocked. The clang of the ancient swords echoed off the walls. Harry struck again and again, each strike driving the Dark Lord away from the statue and his goal. Desperately, Voldemort fought back, his blade a shadowy blur, but in the end, despite his skills, despite his vast and dark powers, he was alone. A red stunner bolt snapped past his ear, he turned for an instant, and a silver blade hissed.

The Sword of Slytherin lay on the ground, his hand still attached. Suddenly the Chamber was still. The gentle drip of lake water, and the soft panting of Harry and Hermione were the only noises to be heard. Voldemort stared, amazed, at the space at the end of his arm that used to hold a long-fingered gray hand.

A soft voice whispered in his ear, "Goodbye Tom." Eyes blazing blue, Harry snapped the Gryffindor sword horizontally at head height. For a long moment nothing happened, then Thomas Riddle's, Lord Voldemort's, head toppled from his shoulders to roll away in the darkness. Instead of blood, a weird green glow slowly oozed from the stump of his neck. Then in a blinding explosion of green light, Harry was knocked through the air, to crash into Hermione where she lay, several meters away. Both of their bodies seemed to be enveloped in a faint green glow, which changed to a brilliant white, before the glow was absorbed into their bodies. For a moment Harry could see the immense statue of Salazar Slytherin trembling, its feet cut out from under it by the explosion, then as the scene faded to black, he could see the statue start to slowly tumble down behind the body of Thomas Riddle, its fate echoing the that of the last heir of Slytherin.



A/N: DA DA The Wizard's dead......


Built by Text2Html

44. The Light in the Darkness

Back At it again.

Chapter 44: The Light in the Darkness.
**********************Hogwarts, Gryffindor Tower*************************

Suddenly, the entire castle started to shake, as if it were a rat caught in a gigantic kneazle's maw. Lupin and Sirius looked at each other grimily, as screams from the already traumatized girls up in their dorm rang out. Dumbledore caught Ginny as she staggered on her feet; she had just come down from the girls' dorm, tears in her eyes. Then as suddenly as it started, the shaking was over.

"Are you all right, Ginny?" Dumbledore asked softly and at her nod, "Everyone all right?" He received nods from everyone in turn and regretfully he looked back down at the smallest Weasley, "Ginny please go back up and check on the people in the girls dorm." Ginny looked nauseated at the prospect, but she nodded and walked up the stairs, morosely. Dumbledore expanded his senses outward, and briefly touched the consciousness of the castle. With a shock, he sensed a part that the castle had not been able to sense, and therefore control previously. Instantly he knew what it was, and what that ability to detect the Chamber meant. "GINNY," He roared up the stairs, "BRING POPPY DOWN HERE," He looked to the air, and said softly, "Fawkes." In a fall of fire, the phoenix appeared and alighted on his shoulder. Sirius and Lupin looked at Dumbledore expectantly as Ginny ran downstairs trailed by Madame Pomfrey and McGonagall. Taking them in, he said quietly, "It's over. Poppy, I am afraid that I hope that I need your services. At this point I think the girls need safe companionship more than anything." Poppy scowled slightly but didn't disagree; there was very little this night that made her happy. "Sirius, Remus, I assume that you want to come also?" They both nodded vigorously, and as Dumbledore transferred Fawkes to his arm, to ease everyone reaching him, a soft alto interrupted him.

"I want to go too, Professor, she is my sister after all." Ginny snapped. Sirius regarded this development with a raised eyebrow, but said nothing; he hadn't exactly had time to catch up with everything.

"Very well Ginny" Dumbledore replied, as he noticed McGonagall glaring at him over the small teen's shoulder. Sorry, Minerva, but she is right, and since Ron is in the Infirmary right now, being pumped full of blood replenishing potions... "Everyone grab hold of a tail feather." As the last of them touched the Phoenix's tail feathers, they all vanished in a wave of fire, a single feather falling slowly to the ground in the Gryffindor common room to mark their passage. Behind them, Draco and the twins glanced up tiredly, raised shots from the firewhiskey that George had found, somewhere, and saluted. McGonagall glared briefly at them, then with a sigh summoned a glass and motioned for them to pour a shot for her.

*************************Chamber of Secrets, Hogwarts**********************

The flare of light marking their entrance briefly illuminated the shattered stone chamber before everything faded to black once again. The ever present red glow that had once infused the chamber was now gone and every torch had gone out with the explosion. "INCENDIO" Ginny muttered, waving her wand in a circle about her head, and the torches lining the walls relit. Dumbledore gave her a silent gesture of thanks, and without a word the group started looking about the chamber.

It didn't take long, "OVER HERE" Remus howled, and everyone came running to his call. He was kneeling next to Harry and Hermione, and with trembling fingers, he reached out to touch them. A slow, pulse beat in each body, and suddenly the weight of Atlas fell from his shoulders, "THEY'RE ALIVE!" He crowed and everyone in the room suddenly felt the same burden lift from their thoughts.

They were all so relived, that not everyone watched where they were running. Ginny had been at the other end of the Chamber. Her head up, not looking down, she tripped and tumbled over some soft, yielding mound in the way. Slowly picking herself up she glanced back, "EEEEK" Ginny screeched, and backed up quickly but just for a second. She was after all both a Gryffindor and a Weasley, and both of those associations had obligations. Drawing herself up to her full height of five feet one inch, she strode purposely to Voldemort's corpse, as the rest of the conscious spectators looked on curiously. In a rarity where spells were often in Latin or some other ancient language, the one Ginny spoke was in English and very, very carefully enunciated. Pointing her wand at the corpse, "The soul of this one, is broken, scattered to the winds, he is gone." A multicolored bolt of light snapped from her wand, and the body collapsed, as if all the bones had been banished from it. With a gasp, as if letting go of long held fears, Ginny fell to her knees and started crying. Dumbledore hurried over, now that he knew Harry and Hermione were alive, he could attend to this vital duty. He gently bent over and pulled Ginny up, gave her a quick hug and at her nod he released her. She turned, spat on Voldemort's collapsed body, and ran over to the rest of the pack.

Dumbledore looked down on the remains of his enemy for many years, and the student that long, long ago, he had had such high hopes for. With a great breath, his eyes lit up, their bright white light casting shadows in the dim room. He stretched out a hand, "INCEDIO." The word echoed off the walls of the dim chamber. In a flare of fire fit for a phoenix, the headless corpse erupted into flame, almost instantly going out as the body was consumed into ash in seconds. With a hard slashing motion, "ENVESCO" the ashes too vanished, as if they were never there. Over to one side Dumbledore spotted a tangle of wands, and with a flick of his hand he called James', Harry's and its twisted brother to his hand. Carefully Dumbledore pocketed the Potters' wands. He briskly walked over to the group clustered around Harry and Hermione, bent over, and delicately secured Hermione's wands as well. "Poppy"

"Yes, Albus" she snapped, somewhat harried as she tenderly examined Harry and Hermione.

"Can you wake them, please..." Dumbledore asked gently, though this wasn't a request, not really.

Pomfrey resisted anyway. "I most certainly will not, Albus, these two just sent that bastard to Hell, they deserve their rest." She growled at the Headmaster from the floor.

"Poppy, they have to see this, then you can let them rest again." Dumbledore said guiltily, but didn't back off. Poppy glared at him, but dove into her medical bag nonetheless. Briskly, she waved something under their noses.

Harry moaned, and cracked his eyes open, "Mione?" He croaked, pain and fear coloring his tone.

"Here" she whispered. His sigh of relief at that reply displaced the stale air in the chamber. Harry squinted, trying to look around, to find her, but the sticking charm on his glasses had failed, and they were lying at his feet shattered.

Dumbledore wasn't the greatest wizard of the age, or maybe one of the greatest, now, for nothing, he spotted the problem instantly. "OCCULUS REPARO" he muttered, picking up the repaired lenses, he gently placed them on Harry's face. "Don't move Harry" Dumbledore said quietly. "You need to see this, then you can sleep." Holding Voldemort's wand high so everyone could see, in one powerful move he snapped it between his palms. A tiny echo of the earlier explosion radiated outward, then it was done. The broken halves fell from his hands, the Phoenix feather floating silently downward, until Fawkes flitted in, captured the feather in his beak, and alighted once again on Dumbledore's shoulders. In a small flare of light, the feather ignited in Fawkes' beak, it was gone forever in an instant.

On the floor, Harry's hand weakly searched out Hermione's, to find it automatically seconds later. Harry nodded thanks to Dumbledore, and looked tiredly over at her, to watch as she smiled exhaustedly at him, then saw her fall back to sleep, her thoughts easing to slumber in their link. Harry looked back up as and he faded off himself, he saw a mop of black hair standing behind Lupin, "Sirius?" He whispered in an odd tone, and then passed out.

**************************Head's Rooms**************************

June 10, 2006
2:00 pm

McGonagall had transferred the still sleeping pair up to Harry's room soon after Poppy had gotten them sorted out. Harry had came away with four broken ribs, a cracked left tibia, a sprained wrist, a dislocated shoulder, a concussion and many, many cuts and scrapes, more than one of which would add to his collection of scars. Hermione on the other hand had gotten off 'lightly' she only had two broken ribs, a broken wrist from where she had taken the force of the killing spell on the sword, a broken leg, deep cuts on her forehead, right leg and back, a concussion to match Harry's and a faint skull fracture somewhere along the way as a capper. The concussions and Hermione's' ribs and leg, along with Harry's arm had come from the 'detonation' of Voldemort's body, Harry's broken ribs had come from the reductor curse from Voldemort. And on top of all that, they were both still experiencing the after effects of defeating Voldemort's initial spell on the pitch, almost an entire day ago, along with several inflicted Cruciatus curses and the Imperious attempt on Hermione along the way.

Madame Pomfrey had tried to separate them into separate beds when they had arrived in the infirmary. But after being tossed across the room by an involuntary magic response from the pair to that idea, she had stuck them in the "Harry Potter" bed together and treated them. McGonagall had mobilicorpus'ed the pair upstairs an hour later as Pomfrey vitally needed the space.

Harry and Hermione lay curled tightly together on Harry's bed; they were fully clothed still, though Poppy had taken off their boots, cloaks and wand and sword sheaths. After Minerva had gently levitated them into bed, she had pulled the blanket over them, and with an act she would deny to her dying day, she had bent over and kissed each on the forehead as if they were her grandchildren in truth as well as secretly in heart.

Now, McGonagall was gone, no matter what her feelings might be for the two of them, she had duties much more important and onerous to undertake. The Death Eaters and Voldemort had been stopped, but not without a terrible cost. Graduation was originally to be today, and no matter what, those who were to graduate would do so, but more than one would do so posthumously. Of the twenty five Harry, Hermione and Ron had led in the desperate defense of the entrance to the chamber, and when that failed, Ron's forlorn goalkeeping to guard Harry and Hermione's backs, to make sure that Riddle didn't get any help, ten would not ever walk down the Great Hall to receive diplomas. Of the remainder, several were injured gravely and might yet not make it.

Ron had lost a great deal of blood, so much so that Pomfrey had run out of blood replenishing potions, until extra was rushed over from the continent, St. Mungo's had also run out, treating the victims of the giant attacks. Diagon Alley was now more or less demolished, so much so that a story had been concocted for the muggles of a satellite crash to explain the devastation, that suddenly cropped up when the wards had failed.

Gryffindor and Ravenclaw houses had been hit particularly hard, as the four second years that had died in the Great Hall had been Gryffindors, Edgar Franks and his drinking buddy Greg Thomas, had died in the desperate running battle in the corridor, Franks had taken down two Death Eaters at once with a well timed reductor curse, until he was cut down from behind by an Avada Kedavra. Of the rest of the DA and student Order members, less than half were standing to tell the tale. For the Ravenclaws, mostly second and third years that had happened to be in the tower when it fell, at least it was quick. Ten members of that house had fallen along with the tower, along with those that had fallen on the pitch and in the battle of the corridor.

It was even worse from the standpoint of the Aurors and the Order. Of the Order, there were almost no non-student members left, Dodge had died in a brief wandfight on the way to the Great Hall, Kingsley had died on the pitch. Severus Snape had evidentially fought a heroic, yet ultimately futile defense of the young students that had been in Gryffindor Tower when the attack came, and of the rest, basically the only old members that had survived were the Hogwarts Professors and Mad-Eye, though he had somehow lost his magical eye in the attack, and had only recovered it when they found Spooky playing with it in the hallway later.

For the Aurors and the Ministry in general it was worse, much worse. The Auror corps for all intents and purposes was gone. Never in great numbers to begin with, many had died over the last three years of the second Voldemort war, and the events of tonight had almost ended them. At full strength, the Aurors were only about two hundred in number to cover all of Great Britain and its possessions abroad, along with the groups assigned as Unspeakables. Going into tonight, they had had only a hundred to their banner, and after tonight, it was more like twenty and most of them abroad. They had been cut back in the years of Fudge's regime and had never recovered. In the devastation once called Diagon Alley, the bodies of fifty Aurors, along with almost a hundred MLE officers lay. But even the numerical losses however great did not compare to the dual losses of the Head of Magical Law Enforcement at Diagon Alley, and Kingsley Shaklebolt at Hogwarts.

For that reason, the quintet that waited in the Head's common room for Harry and Hermione to wake resembled the punchline of a wizarding joke. The Minister of Magic, a grim, a werewolf and metamorph sat playing wizard poker. The main difference between the wizard game and the muggle one, was that on occasion the face cards would go visit each other, in either the deck or someone else's hand, making card counting somewhat problematic. Mad-Eye sat over on the couch, a copy of the Quibbler in his hand, glaring over at the others, they wouldn't let him play, something about looking at the cards.

After another half hour, they heard a soft moan, then, minutes later a bedraggled looking pair staggered into their common room. If it were possible, Harry's hair was even more unkempt than anyone had seen it. Large dark circles decorated the hollows under his eyes, which were utterly exhausted. Harry and Hermione had had changed out of the clothes that they had had on, and Hermione had immediately vanished the sheets and the clothes far, far away. Harry did a slight double take when he saw them there, and in a voice calculated to warn Hermione, "Ok why do I have a piss poor joke in my common room?" However Harry was still not quite awake, or tracking properly, he sat down on the couch, and as Hermione came out of his room, looking about like Harry. He instinctively glanced towards her, but on the way, his eyes again crossed the poker table. "SIRIUS" Harry screamed and stood bolt upright. Hermione's gaze instantly tracked towards Harry's target, and she let out a gasp of mixed shock and delight. She briskly crossed to Harry, and both of them stood stunned, staring at the apparition from the past.

"Such a way to greet your Godfather, Harry." Sirius chided gently. "C'mere you two" As if they were under the imperious, the pair walked slowly to him, and with a great sweep of his arms, Sirius drew them both in, together. "Gods it's good to see you two." He roared, and with a twinkle in his eye, "I see that you found that box Harry."

"Yeah, thanks" Harry replied, then slowly as if he didn't believe his own eyes, he didn't really, "How?"

"I don't know, Harry, and really I don't care, though I wish I had been a little faster, I just missed you two before you went into the chamber." Sirius muttered, then like a cloud passing the sun, his expression brightened, "So when's the wedding, am I invited?"

"I don't know..." Hermione replied impishly, a small grin lighting her face for first time in almost a day. "You are a such a bad influence on Harry..."

Sirius held his hand to his heart and staggered bout a bit, "you wound me dear girl. I..."

Hermione rolled her eyes as Harry wrapped his arms around her from behind, "oh alright, if you are going to cry...we would be honored if you would attend Sirius. However, we became quite busy last night and we haven't quite had time to set a date, we'll Owl you" Hermione finished, eyes alight. Behind her, Harry gave Sirius a wink, and an incremental nod.

Harry's expression grew serious for a moment, "we missed you Padfoot" Hermione nodded slowly as tears appeared in both of their eyes. Sirius misted over as well, and once again he swept them into a hug, one that they did not emerge from for several minutes, until they were interrupted.

"Uh hem," Arthur muttered softly and the trio emerged, wiping their faces. Arthur motioned towards the couch, and Harry led Hermione to it, he sat down and she plopped on his lap, Sirius sat down next to them, and Lupin and Tonks joined Mad-Eye on the couch opposite. After they were all seated and more or less attentive, "As much as I hate ruining this moment for my daughter and future son-in-law, and others..." Arthur said with a forced smile, though everyone knew he was happy for the pair and for the return of Sirius. "I, uhh"

"Wait Arthur," Harry interrupted as a shared thought flashed across his and his fiancée's minds. "What about everyone else?" Hermione unconsciously snuggled closer to Harry, as the others in the room gave each other long evaluating looks, Tonks slowly slipped her hand into Lupin's and Sirius looked, tired.

Arthur was the worst though; he looked haunted. "After you two and Ron reduced the odds, and you HAD to go after Voldemort, make no mistake, the fighting got desperate, and unfortunately that was far from the only place last night. After you left the pitch to head off Voldemort, the dragons destroyed Ravenclaw Tower."

The pair of them sat silently, stonily at the news, but with a hand flick, Harry motioned Arthur to go on. "Also as Voldemort was ambushing you, he sent fifty or so Death Eaters led by Malfoy to the Great Hall, they were stopped, mostly by Draco's actions if the tales I've already heard are true, something about walking up to Lucius, sticking his wand in his ear and stunning him. But anyway, they were repulsed but not before the Great Hall was collapsed, I am afraid that you lost some of your younger house mates there."

With his heart in his throat, Harry asked the question they were both afraid to hear, "And the ones we left in the hall, Ron...Gin, Luna, Neville, the others?" Harry could feel Hermione's nails digging into his palm, as they sat, terrified of the answer.

Arthur grimaced, but answered anyway, "Ron was touch and go there for a bit, but Poppy says he will be ok" The breath of relief they both let out was tremendous, with a shared look, they started to rise to go see Ron, but stopped as Arthur waved them to their seats again. "You can see him later, I just left from there an hour ago, Poppy has him resting, she had to replenish almost all of his blood. Hermione gulped and Harry pulled her in close as tears blossomed in her eyes. Another long, silent moment passed in which Harry sat not looking at Arthur, or the rest, only at the top of Hermione's head, the quiet broken only by soft sobs. Eventually they both looked up, and Harry nodded for him to continue. Arthur went on, determinately, "Ginny and the twins are fine, however I don't think that they will ever be same after what they found in Gryffindor Tower."

Hermione and Harry exchanged a terrified glance at what that could be, but Arthur had never stopped talking, it was almost if the knowledge was a demon that he had to drive out. "Ten of those that were in the hall stopping the Death Eaters died, and another five or so are in the infirmary, Charlie and Bill...we haven't heard from, but we think that Bill and Fleur were in Gringotts when the goblins locked it down, as of last report they hadn't released their defensive wards." At their inquisitive looks, "Tom followed through on this threat on Diagon Alley. He had ten giants, and at least some Death Eaters. Amelia Bones died in front of me, along with the majority of the remaining Aurors, before we finally stopped the Giants, but we didn't catch any of those Death Eaters. Diagon Alley is for all intents and purposes destroyed, except for Gringotts. The goblins had some protective charms that were, literally unreal. And I still have to go talk to Luna...the offices of the Quibbler were destroyed, we think Luna's father was inside." Stunned silence reigned as that announcement sunk in. Arthur took a deep breath, glanced over at Moody and back at the pair, "I have to ask you something in my capacity as Minister, that I wish could wait, but can't. However first...here." Arthur reached into a side pocket of his robes and tossed a pair of elaborately carved rosewood boxes at them, which they caught absentmindedly.

Harry continued looking absently at Arthur, not opening his, however as Hermione let out a soft gasp despite herself, he glanced down. Only to behold the crossed wand and sword overlaid on a field of gold, an owl sitting atop the junction of the sword and wand, the three symbols representing the three aspects for which this medal could be awarded, the Order of Merlin, first class, the three aspects being wisdom, bravery, or feats in magic. Wordlessly, Hermione handed hers to Harry, and he started to throw them back, "We can't..."

But Harry was stopped by Arthur's raised hand and a quiet "no" from Sirius.

"Harry, Hermione" Arthur said softly as he pulled his glassed off and started to polish them with the edge of his robe. In a stern, parental voice, he was after all Hermione's adoptive father now, "You will take those...this night has seen seven of those issued, along with quite a few second and third class ones as well. You will take them so as to not dishonor those other ones, the ones that Dumbledore and Ron received, and the... posthumous ones, Kingsley, Amelia and Severus received." Slightly grudgingly, Harry set the boxes on the end table, but neither of them could argue with that logic. In a whisper that Harry wasn't sure that he really heard, but that almost brought a twitch to his lips despite the situation anyway, Arthur murmured as he turned away to Moody for a second "it wasn't as if either you or any the others tonight paid for those, in gold that is."

"Now Harry, Hermione...here is the question that I need to ask you...are you two still interested in being Aurors? You two had given quite enough. You do not owe the Wizarding world a thing, in fact we owe you." He raised a hand to once again forestall their immediate response.

Well, Love? Harry asked silently, Arthur's right, you have given more than enough.

And you haven't? ...
Hermione replied with a mental snort. You know that it isn't over; Arthur already said that the Death Eaters at Diagon Alley escaped, and you know many of them got away from here. And that doesn't count the ones he didn't bring. Over to one side, Sirius shared a knowing look with Lupin, as they shared twenty-year-old memories silently.

We do this then, Mione? We go to the academy and hunt the rest down?

I always wanted more schooling
Hermione replied silently to his accompaniment of his mental laughter. Special Auror Potter does have a nice ring to it? She asked reflectively.

As long as it refers to you, Harry replied, then with a deep shared breath, they looked up at the person representing in the same body, the Minister of Magic, Hermione's adoptive father, the only father figure other than Sirius that Harry had known for the majority of his life, and their new boss. "We'll do it...sir" Harry said the last with a slight smirk; Tonks, Remus and Sirius broke up laughing.

"Such cheek, and you are just on the job." Arthur said beaming, and with his free hand he motioned to Mad-Eye, who flipped them a pair of closed leather wallets. Opening them, they received yet another shock, both of them received not cadet credentials, but full Lieutenants badges.

"Honestly...there has to be some mistake" Hermione replied for them both. "This would make us the same rank as Mad-Eye."

"Not any more lass" Alastor replied as he emitted a sound halfway between a grunt and a laugh.

Arthur immediately acted to alleviate their confusion, "As I said the Auror corps has been shattered, we have few forces left between the Wizarding and Muggle public and any dark wizards should they choose to take advantage of the situation. So I used my discretionary emergency powers and made some promotions to fill holes immediately, you are looking at the new head of Magical Law Enforcement," He pointed at Mad-Eye who scowled, "The new Chief Auror," at Remus, "the new head of Auror field operations," at Tonks, "and as to Sirius, since he had the temerity to come back to life...I hereby pardon him and hire him as a special investigator reporting to me." Arthur turned back to them, "you two along with Ron, if he accepts the job, will report to me, directly. If you look at those credentials closely, you are Unspeakables as well as Aurors; your job is to stop Voldemort's remnants, no matter how you can. By the way...since you accepted the jobs it reduces my paperwork. As those badges are backdated twenty-four hours, so you were technically Aurors when you killed Riddle and fully empowered to do so. All Death Eaters are wanted dead or alive. The Wizengamot ruled so this morning in emergency session." Arthur finally turned to Sirius to tie up one last loose end, "Sirius it occurs to me that you are penniless and homeless."

"That's no problem, Arthur, I'll just give Sirius back the..." Harry said instantly, but was interrupted by Arthur.

"You can't Harry" Arthur replied, "its another of those stupid ancient Wizarding laws, came about because of the Goblin rebellion, just like so many others. Didn't you learn it in class?" Arthur regarded them, then as even Hermione shook her head, a puzzled look on her face, "Never mind, Binns muttered it under his breath even when I was still in school, basically it was put into place to keep dark wizards from faking their deaths and transferring their wealth to someone, then 'convincing' that person to give it to another person, who was usually the dark wizard in disguise. No I looked at the records...Sirius you spent twelve years in Azkaban for a crime you did not commit, two years on the run, and then almost two years, in limbo, literally. I brought the matter to the attention of the Wizengamot this morning, and they ruled that the Ministry would make immediate restitution. A new vault will be available to you in the morning at Gringotts, containing the sum of that judgment against the Ministry, a sum of one million galleons. It won't give you back that lost time, my friend, but it will hopefully ease your years to come." Sirius was a little stunned as Arthur silently handed him the key to a vault.



A/N ok there's everyone that you might be concerned for...more or less. Next Chapter, house calls, and Hermione gets rushed. Stay tuned.

Built by Text2Html

45. Justice Delayed

Chapter 45 Justice Delayed *************************Hogwarts*******************************

June 13, 2006
8:50 am

"Harry, Hermione, a moment." Dumbledore called out as the pair exited the infirmary. They had just been to visit Ron, where he and several of the other survivors of the battle were still laid up, him until tomorrow, when Poppy had declared that he would be ok. Luna had been perched attentively on the edge of the bed when they came in. She had been giggling again at something Ron said. A welcome sight, she had been withdrawn for a day, becoming terse and dark, totally unlike her normal personality until word had come that her father had been found, alive and well, if a tad thirsty.

He had taken shelter under a large printing press as the giant had knocked the building down around his ears. Mr. Lovegood had already started to rebuild and had published a commemorative issue from the paper's alternate offices in Hogsmeade, both of the main wizarding papers were operating out of alternate facilities for the time being. Unfortunately the press being such as it was, the devastation had not stopped the reporters, and they had swarmed the castle almost before the dust had stopped falling in the Great Hall. But as Dumbledore had turned on the defenses they bounded off the wards of the castle resulting in a large, multicolored pile at the gates of the grounds. The nemesis of truth in reporting everywhere, Rita Skeeter, had managed to get in to the castle, but for her troubles she was now decorating a terrarium near Trevor's cage. And any other reporter that had been found to have snuck onto the grounds had been expelled, forcefully, by the house elves.

"Yes Granddad?" Harry asked as they swiveled to face him. Both of them were in more or less muggle clothes today, jeans and t-shirts, black dragonhide jackets over their wands and badges. They had already started on their new jobs, and had gone out with Tonks this morning to look for leads in the hunt for the remaining Death Eaters, many of whom were relatively highly ranked, such as Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. So far the only member of Voldemort's inner circle that had been captured or confirmed killed, was Bellatrix. The son that they had denounced had already been accepted into the Auror academy on a fast track course, to get him out in one year instead of the usual three along with many other surviving graduates of Hogwarts and Beauxbatons. And as Moody had said, to them early this morning, they were agents anyway; they could let the bureaucrats fill out the paperwork. A new policy that immediately endeared him to the various field agents and operatives under his new command, at the same time as it annoyed the paper pushers, who had seemed to survive the events of last Friday in a much higher relative percentage than the people who went out and got things gone.

"It has been requested that as a symbol of our rebuilding that we have graduation, despite the events of last Friday." Dumbledore said with an expression that adequately showed his mixed feelings at that pronouncement. "Hermione, you will be expected to speak as will Harry, as Head Boy."

"Okay Albus" Hermione replied with a smirk, although the smile never touched her eyes. "When?"

"As you know the underclassmen that are well enough to travel will be leaving tomorrow, leaving the just the seventh years, or I should say the graduates behind. In consequence I am planning on having that event outside on the pitch this year, it escaped more or less unharmed. The construction wizards will take quite a bit longer to finish repairs on the Great Hall, and I am afraid that Ravenclaw tower will have to be rebuilt totally." Dumbledore paused and motioned them into empty classroom.

Puzzled, they followed him into the room, and watched with raised eyebrows as Dumbledore sealed the door, and cast an imperturbable charm on the door. "I have a proposal for the pair of you, Arthur as he may have told you, was looking for you to be, discrete, to keep your activities as clandestine as possible. As I see the situation, your main problem will be that there are few occupations that either or both of you could use as a cover and still be credible. I have a problem, myself. I need Professors, specifically," He raised his hand and ticked them off on his fingers, "Potions, Herbology, DADA, Care of Magical Creatures and Transfiguration." Dumbledore gave them a tiny smile at their confused looks, "the potions and DADA vacancies are obvious, Madame Sprout decided that she needs a more relaxing atmosphere, and has submitted her application for retirement, and Hagrid...is going to France for a while at least. As to Minerva, she isn't leaving, but I feel that it is time to start to transition more of my responsibilities to her. I would like to retire to enjoy my grandchildren in a few years."

Dumbledore almost laughed at their expressions when he said the last, but kept it in check, barely. "I was thinking of splitting the DADA and transfiguration requirements among you two if you feel the need for yet another career, I know how you hate to be bored." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled deeply as he finished. "Both Minerva and I will still be around to cover your classes in case your primary duties interfere with classes. You do not have to respond right away, however if any of those assignments would work as 'cover' please let me know." With a slight nod, Dumbledore canceled the locking and defense charms and headed out into the hall.

After he had left Harry looked over and crooked an eyebrow, a habit that he had gotten from her. In mute response, Hermione sighed and ran her fingers though her hair, his tic. "Bloody grandchildren?" She snorted, "You think he and Molly are in league together?" With a small laugh Harry reached out and intertwined his fingers with hers.

"I wasn't planning on it at the moment, but I seem to remember you saying something about practicing?" He replied puckishly. "And I'm just waiting for Sirius to start asking."

Hermione bit her lower lip for a second before she giggled, and relaxed with a sigh, "And Ron is still being held prisoner by Poppy, so he can't walk in...unfortunately..." she shrugged and pulling him by the hand, she led them back into the hall, and back towards Gryffindor, and the Head's suite where they were staying for a while longer. Technically, they could have already left, as they were both adults, and "Aurors without portfolio" for that matter but they were staying for a couple of reasons. First, while Sirius, Lupin and Tonks had returned to Grimmauld Place yesterday, the three of them taking up residence at Harry's insistence, even though Harry still thought of the place as Sirius.' Dumbledore had objected to Harry and Hermione moving in with them, or out to Godric's Hollow, until he had had time to personally review the security wards. After all, there were many who would love a chance at the two of them in revenge for Voldemort's fall. Ron and Luna, unknown to either of them, yet, would be under similar restrictions. And second, even though neither had admitted it out loud, they didn't really want to leave.

Harry waved at Padma as she passed on the way to the infirmary to visit a couple of her Ravenclaw classmates. She was coming from Gryffindor where the Ravenclaws had been staying for the most part, as Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, were probably the closest aligned houses in this century, almost as close as Gryffindor and Slytherin had been a thousand years ago. A thought that gave him sudden pause as the Heir of Gryffindor glanced over at the Heir of Ravenclaw. But as that same heir squeezed his hand affectionately that thought was banished, if that was the case in a thousand years hence, so be it, it was not nor never would be in the present. Harry gave her a smile in return as they continued down the hall, taking the time to further engrave the old castle in their minds. "Harry?" Hermione asked quietly, "What do you think about it...I mean Dumbledore's offer. It would be descent cover, I mean that we've already leaked, our quote, 'taking time to think things over' to the Quibbler, and you let them quote you as you didn't know if you were going to be an Auror after all...It would work as a cover, if we very publicly accepted the jobs from Dumbledore."

"Ok" Harry replied succinctly, then as she raised her eyebrows, questioningly, "Sure why not, it's not like this place isn't used to its Professors being involved in several things at once. And in your spare time you can get that degree from Stonehenge."

Hermione grinned back at him and kissed him on the cheek, but before they could prolong their 'conversation', they were interrupted again, with a dose of reality like a bucket of cold water being thrown on their heads. "Wotcher, you two" Tonks snapped as she slid to a halt, having just come running up the stairs from below. " We don't have time for this."

"What, Nymph?" Harry replied, just a touch annoyed at the interruption. Hermione leaned against him slightly as she gave Tonks a tiny glare.

"Listen you two, I haven't gotten laid in the last week either, but we have jobs to do, remember?" Tonks blurted, ever the font of tact, as Hermione's glare kicked up a notch, but neither of them argued. "Anyway, we've found them, well not all of them by any means, but a significant portion."

"Who, Tonks?" Harry replied tiredly.

"The Death Eaters," She replied, the 'stupid' at the end of the sentence not said, merely implied. Like a sea change, Harry and Hermione's manner changed, their eyes hardened just a bit, and focused intently on Tonks, their breathing became slow and deep as they regarded her.

"Where?" Harry asked, instantly all business, their irritation with Tonks gone instantly. "And which ones?"

"Lets go to somewhere private, and I have already called for Lupin, Sirius and Mad-Eye, I only want to go over this once." Tonks replied calmly.

Harry nodded in answer and pointed back towards the infirmary. "Let's go get Ron, I want him in on this, even though we'll have to sneak him out past Poppy. We'll meet in Dumbledore's office in fifteen minutes?" Tonks nodded and headed off at a brisk walk. Harry and Hermione pivoted on their heels and braced themselves for the argument with Pomfrey about letting Ron go the meeting. Even though he was now perfectly fine, Pomfrey had been keeping him in case there was a side effect from having to take so much blood-replenishing potion, as he had. In many ways Harry and Hermione had been injured much worse than he, actually if they had been muggles and had been treated by muggle doctors, Ron would have actually had a much greater chance of survival, but since so much of magic was tied in one way or the other to blood, the loss of so much by Ron's wounds had concerned Madame Pomfrey greatly, while Harry and Hermione's broken and shattered bones, concussions and internal bleeding were more or less an overnight repair, after all they had kept most of the blood inside where it could be reabsorbed, the scars they had gained had been minor compared to Ron's.

As they walked back in the Infirmary, almost abandoned at Ron's end except for Ron and Luna, Hermione and Harry stopped and looked down. Hermione stood; a hip cocked, a curious light in her eyes, "So big brother, are you ready to get off your arse and to work?" Ron grinned back up at her and sneaking a glance at the office the four of them left the infirmary quickly.

*****************************Headmaster's Office**************************

Twenty minutes later

"So that's it, Harry" Tonks said as the projection from the recording orb died. "I guess that the Death Eaters never realized that even if Malfoy Manor is unplotable, and hidden like Grimmauld is for the Order, that we can see them coming and going, especially if we have people who have been there before." She shrugged hopelessly.

"That's alright, Tonks" Harry replied evenly. "Who did the surveillance?"

"Not me...of course, I'd knock something over, it was Shawn Asten, you've never met him, but he's ok, he's a little older than me. We were about the last Aurors taken in before you three. Damn Fudge and his budget cuts." She muttered viscously, around the room everyone, even Sirius who had benefited as he was on the run at the time, nodded sagely.

Hermione sighed slightly, as she looked up from her notes, "do we know which ones are there?"

Tonks shook a head of glistening, blond curls. "No, Hermione, not in total, there were...um a few we recognized though." She looked around at the various wizards and witches in the room, but curiously she didn't quite meet either Sirius' or Lupin's eyes. Taking a deep breath she murmured, "McNair, Thomplison, Pettigrew, one of the Hamiltons..."

"WORMTAIL" Sirius growled as he jumped up from his seat. "I'm bloody well going Harry." He stared at Harry as if daring him to deny him. Lupin said nothing, but nodded along with Sirius' statement. Harry looked back on them evenly, weighing responses in his head.

"Which one of the Hamiltons?" Hermione said quietly to the other witch in the room, ignoring the byplay beside her. Harry didn't however; he dropped his gaze back to Tonks and away from the original Marauders. Xavier Hamilton had been Lucius Malfoy's main minion at her parents' home, and he had been the leader of the Death Eaters when they originally stormed Gryffindor tower during the siege of Hogwarts. He had gotten away each time, each time, just before someone who could actually fight on an even plane could arrive.

Hermione's brief hopes were dashed however. "Sorry, it's Gregor, the youngest, Xavier and Albert haven't been seen since last Friday." Tonks gave another slight shrug, as Hermione gave her a resigned nod. The Hamiltons, were what for Dark Wizards that the Weasleys were for the light, there were five boys and two girls; they were all evil to the core, and the girls were if possible, worse. Aurors had killed one of the boys, Alexander, last year, and one of the girls had been stunned at the edge of the forest over the weekend, a straggler from the battle at the pitch.

He won't get away forever, Mione Harry replied silently, and he got a mental impression of a pained smile in return for his reassurance. "What do you guess is the upper limit on numbers, Tonks?"

"Twelve or so, we think that perhaps three hundred came here, and maybe another twenty five, thirty, at Diagon Alley with the giants. They had about fifty percent casualties here, either dead or captured, but the Diagon Alley crowd got away like a flock of snitches. Most of them are scattered to hell and gone, but a few have cropped up together at odd times. This is the only ..."

"WORMTAIL!" Sirius spat, again.

Harry dropped his head and took a deep breath, with a great sigh he looked up at his godfather, "we know Sirius; please let Tonks finish." Harry said with a slightly placating voice. But meanwhile, Hermione's brain had been chugging along.

"We'll need, Draco, Harry" Hermione said quietly, "He knows the mansion and if Lucius hasn't been back to the manor yet, he can probably control whatever wards they have." She gave Harry a slightly hopeless look, he frowned a bit, but on reflection he didn't disagree.

Others did though, "NO BLOODY WAY, WE CAN'T TRUST THAT WANKER!" Ron snapped, glaring at his two best friends.

But before either of them could respond, Sirius put in, once again, "WORMTAIL"

Oh, for the love of Merlin, Harry thought desperately, he closed his eyes, took a deep breath and snapped them open again. When they opened, the light from them rivaled the daylight coming in the room, with a thought, glass knickknacks exploded about the room, like little bombs going off. "SHUT UP, EVERYONE" Harry snapped, then in a calmer tone, "Sirius, you will get to go, unless you don't shut up about Peter Fucking Pettigrew. Honestly I think I owe him, as much as anyone here." Harry turned and glared at his best friend, "Ron, if Draco is willing, we will take him, Hermione is right, he has the best chance of knowing secrets about the manor that we don't."

Ron growled in response, "You're just taking her..."

To his surprise Harry replied with a short grunt of laughter, "of course I'm taking her side Ron...she's right. And you know it, Draco, not seventy two hours ago, stuck his wand in Lucius' ear and dropped him in front of fifty Death Eaters." Wearing a practiced calm look, the one he used when he was forced to mediate Hermione and Ron's arguments, when he couldn't otherwise escape, he turned to Dumbledore. Dumbledore had been sitting quietly during the whole conversion, and Harry watched mutely as Dumbledore raised an eyebrow, and silently repaired the broken babbles from Harry's demonstration. "Could you please have Draco summoned here, Professor?" Dumbledore merely nodded in response, and after writing a short note and giving it to Fawkes, he sat back, considering. After a ten-minute gap, in which the whole room sat silent, though Harry and Hermione did have a long mental chat about nothing in particular, a knock was heard at the door.

"Come in" Dumbledore commanded. The door eased open, and Draco entered. He was wearing an unadorned cloak, with no house emblem over muggle clothes. He looked tired, his platinum hair, worn long, was pulled back into a short tail at the base of his neck. Looking around the room, he noticed the even looks of Harry and Hermione, the hostile look from Ron, and the more or less neutral expressions of the others.

"Draco," Harry began with mixed feelings, "we need your help."

"For what...Harry?" He gave back, warily.

"We're going to Malfoy Manor, a group of Death Eaters are there. We can get in without you but it would be easier with you."

Draco frowned, but gave a slow nod, "ok."

Harry looked at him measuringly, and nodded in return. "Fine then...we'll leave at ten, meet up here at nine thirty.

With that dismissal everyone got up to leave, Sirius still muttering about, "that damn rat," under his breath and Ron shooting periodic glares at Draco when he thought Harry or Hermione weren't looking. But as they reached the door, Dumbledore spoke up. "Harry, a moment."

Harry glanced back at Dumbledore; I'll catch up Mione. Hermione nodded, Harry flicked a half smile at her and returned to Dumbledore's desk. Behind him, Hermione grabbed Ron's elbow and steered him away from Malfoy, even after the door closed, Harry could hear her words echo in his mind as she snarled at Ron, her annoyance with him spilling over into her thoughts. Harry winced a bit at the byplay.

Dumbledore noticed the wince, flicked his gaze to the door, and back to Harry with a wry smile. Then with another breath, his expression fell, and became serious once again. "I assume that you would like to try to end this with as little bloodshed as possible?"

"For the most part I would, and Mione would, but I don't know about the rest. Honestly, I'm a bit afraid of Lupin and Sirius, though. Ron's just pissy about Draco. " Harry said sympathetically, looking back towards the door.

"As I thought, then, this might help you" With a small wave of his hand, a box appeared, "It occurred to me, that the Riddle's followers might need a source of...encouragement."
Harry opened the box, and suddenly looked a bit green. "Yes, Granddad, I think that might give them a bit of encouragement."

****************************Malfoy Manor********************************

With the familiar snap-tug behind their navels, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Draco, Lupin, Tonks, Sirius, appeared in a grove of trees, just out of direct sight of the manor. All of them could see the unplotable house, as Draco had done as asked and given them the information to see it. "All right Potter, I've done as you asked, now what?" Draco muttered. Harry glanced over at him. With a wave of his wand, he shrunk the box that he had been carrying when they met up, and stuck it in a leg pocket of his blacks. Everyone had wondered why Harry had a box, but no one had asked, out loud anyway. As soon as Hermione's eyes had crossed his, when he picked it up off Dumbledore's desk before they left, they had all heard her take in a sharp gasp, but she said nothing either.

"Can you take down the anti-apparation wards, Draco?" Hermione asked softly, then all seven of them snapped wands towards the tree line, to see the Auror Tonks had mentioned come walking out of the tree line, his hands carefully away from his wand.

Sean Asten was a very normal looking wizard. He had mousy brown hair, brown eyes, and an indiscriminate build. He was the type that you would look at once and pass right over. "Hello Tonks, Lupin." He said amicably, he turned to Harry, and held out a hand, "Pleasure to meet you sir."

Harry took his hand and shook it firmly, "call me Harry," pointing to the rest in turn, "This is Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black, Draco Malfoy."

At the introduction, Asten's jaw dropped, "Malfoy...Sirius Black." Harry rolled his eyes a bit, but did not explain.

He turned back to Draco, eyebrows raised. "Well?"

"I can't drop them, entirely, unless I'm declared master of the house." Draco shrugged, "but I can weaken them, maybe. Maybe enough for three of you to apparate in, if you jump with me, I can of course, enter myself, but my blood is synchronized with the wards."

"Fine Draco" Harry said, making an instant decision, "Asten, stay here and report back to the Ministry, if we aren't back in an hour, we probably aren't coming back. Draco, have Lupin, Tonks and Sirius grab onto you, and work together to apparate in. Ron..." Harry considered Ron, a tiny grin on his lips. Harry's, then Hermione's eyes lit up.

"Don't worry Ron" Hermione grinned, her expression eerily mirroring Harry's. "Its not that much worse than a portkey."

"What do you mean?" Ron asked a touch of nerves in his voice. His eyes flicked back and forth between his friends. He sidled back a bit, until Sirius pushed him back with a smirk.

"Well, you see mate, unlike Hogwarts, where the castle herself gives us permission to apparate, you didn't hear that by the way Sean" Harry interjected, "We have to force our way through the wards here." Harry laid a hand on one of Ron's shoulders, and as Ron turned to him, Hermione snuck up and grabbed his other shoulder. "See you there" Harry muttered and with a flash in their eyes, the trio vanished.

**********************Inside Malfoy Manor****************************

With a muffled pop, quite unlike their now normally silent apparitions, Harry and Hermione appeared in an empty, but ornate, upper bedroom of the manor, Ron, standing right in front of them. Ron staggered as he turned, just like coming through a bad portkey jump. As he took in his best friends, he saw with a shock that both of his best friends were sweating, looking as if they had just run a marathon. Both of their eyes had faded back to their normal colors, and Harry quickly wrapped an arm around Hermione's shoulders, though he didn't look much better than her. "What's wrong?" Ron asked quickly, concern flooding his voice.

"Honestly Ron," Hermione snarled, "we may be powerful, but we are not all powerful, by any means. The wards here are almost as old as the ones at the Hogwarts and Draco only weakened them, and to top it off we didn't have a beacon to guide us like the Eaters did at Hogwarts." Ron looked a bit taken aback at her tone, she frowned and apologized, "sorry Ron." He nodded silently.

CRACK, the rest of the team appeared, everyone letting go of Draco as they materialized, and looked about the room. Before anyone could utter another word, the door creaked open, and a small, oily man with a silver hand shambled in. Wormtail was looking down, not paying attention to his surroundings, until, "COLLOPORTUS, SILENCIO" Tonks snapped and the door sealed itself, and a brief white flash lit the walls.

"Hello Peter," Sirius said happily, his gray eyes dark and hard. Wormtail's gaze flew upward and about the room, and he let out a little squeak, just like a cornered rat.

"Accio Wand" Hermione snapped, and Wormtail's wand, a twisted piece of oak, shot across the room to her waiting hand. "Lacarm inflamare," With her bluebell incantation, the wand erupted into blue flame in her hand, reducing itself to ashes in a moment, and then it was gone, not a mark on her hand to signify its passage. She leaned back against the door, and watched with hooded eyes at the arch traitor.

"Peter..."Harry began, pausing as he looked the small wizard up and down and walked slowly around him, "you have a choice, right now. You can," Harry held up a hand, and a small vial filled with a bright orange potion appeared, "take this potion, and die quietly, or you can try to fight, I don't think you will do too well, after all Peter, I'm not tied up, but I've been surprised before, or..." Then as if making a snap decision, Harry's hand closed around the vial and it vanished. "No, Peter, you doomed yourself all those years ago," Harry stepped closer to Pettigrew and stared down at him, "you see Peter, when you betrayed my parents, your friends, you brought this on yourself. Your master feared Dumbledore all these years, when in fact...he should have feared me."

Harry stepped back and pointed a wand at the traitor, "bestia mutatio congelo diutinus." Instantly, Pettigrew shrunk and transformed into a brown, dirty rat, his tiny sliver paw making tiny ticking noises on the hardwood floor. The rat, looked up and up at the others in the room, and one could see it trembling as Pettigrew tried to transform back into a human. Harry smiled darkly down at the rat on the floor, he unsealed the door, and after making sure the hall was clear he ushered everyone else out into the hall. Harry paused at the door, "APPERO CROOKSHANKS" Hermione gave him an odd, dangerous smile as he gently set the kneazle on the floor in the room and once again closed and sealed the door. A loud MEEROW was heard from behind the door as they started down the hall. Harry looked over at Ron and with a little shrug, "sorry about your rat, mate."

"Oi, no big" Ron replied evenly then he whipped out his wand, and pointed it at his hand. Instantly several red dots appeared in his hand, all of them were clustered together, somewhere ahead of a group of seven blue dots, except one, that was behind them. The one red dot behind them jittered about for a moment, then stopped suddenly, and slowly faded away. No one commented. "Looks like about eleven of them Harry, though this spell doesn't work that well on telling what floor, it's two dimensional only." Ron shrugged and closed his hand, the dots vanishing instantly.

"Ideas?" Harry asked softly.

Sirius looked back at the room, they had arrived in, then over to Draco. "I haven't been in this house since I was a child, but isn't there a meeting room or parlor, on the next floor down?"

"Yes," Draco answered succinctly, "there is. And if my father wasn't lying to me, then, I would suspect, that since you cut off the snake's head the body is writhing in that room, right now." At Draco's words, Harry and Hermione shared a knowing look, but did not comment.

"How about we Sonorus our voice, and tell then they are surrounded by Aurors. And to throw down their wands?" Tonks put in a little too brightly, and as one, pairs of, emerald, chocolate, hazel, blue and two pairs of eyes all snapped to her dark ones, and she shrugged, "Ok, it doesn't work on the telly either."

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned back to Harry, Honestly, was the only thought he could make out, though from Ron's suppressed laughter it was obvious, to him too. Then with a sudden thought she looked back at Harry, "There's only eleven Harry and they're all clustered together."

"Ok" Harry responded, as everyone else looked confused. "Draco, the wards don't protect from apparating in the house do they?"

"No" Draco answered back promptly.

"Good" Harry replied swiftly, "Mione and I will go together, you and Ron to the other side of the table, you three" motioning to Tonks, Lupin and Sirius guard the doors."

"Harry, I still don't trust him," Ron snapped lowly.

To which Draco hissed annoyedly, "You bloody prat, just like...."

"Enough" Harry snarled, "Fine then Ron, you go with Mione, and I go with Draco. We jump in and we do as Tonks suggested, sort of. I may be able to convince them to give up without a fight." Most everyone looked dubious at that statement, but didn't bother to try to correct him. "Ready, then." At a series of nods, "let's go" CRACK

**************************Meeting Room, Malfoy Manor********************

"Where is that damn rat?" Edward Thomplison snarled as he sat down at a seat at near one end of a long, ironwood conference table. The room was decorated, as was much of Malfoy manor, in an austere haughty style. There were no overt depictions of the dark arts, or associated paraphernalia, unless one counted the eleven Death Eaters, as there had been at Grimmauld Place before it was redecorated, but there was a distinct air, of unpleasantness about the room. The room was windowless, as it was in the center of the house, and was lit only by flickering wall scones that cast deep shadows in the room.

"Hell, if I know" Albert McNair muttered morosely, "he probably ran again, just like he did when he abandoned Master at the damn school." A series of loud hissing sounds erupted at the reminder of Voldemort's passing, until a rather handsome, black haired wizard grabbed an apple from a bowl on the table and started eating it.

Gregor Hamilton shrugged, and chuckled darkly, "he is a damn rat, as Edward so ably put forth. He is probably looking for some cheese." The Death Eaters gathered round the table laughed, until with a sudden thought McNair turned and glared at Hamilton.

"While we are discussing that matter, just how did you and your brothers escape Gryffindor Tower? You reported killing the traitor, and you were to have to your fun, I can't see any of your family passing up that fun." McNair snarled lowly.

"Yeah" snapped Samuel Blatz, as he looked up from his seat. He along with the others except Pettigrew and Hamilton had been at the attack at Diagon Alley, and unlike their Master's attack on Hogwarts, they had succeeded, the Auror corps was in ruins, and even if Voldemort had not been able to activate the Chamber, which evidentially he hadn't, they should have had free reign. The only issue was that Voldemort had not returned. Most of those at the table professed to not believe the reports from Hogwarts that Potter, with the help of his mudblood bitch and their blood traitor friend had killed their leader. No if anything Potter must have given the Dark Lord a mere setback, once again. The problem with that belief, was that very few of the Death Eaters that had been at the castle had contacted them, and those that had, had been either part of Lucius' group or one of the ones that broken off to have a little 'sport' in the castle. No one knew of any who had gone with their leader to the chamber that had returned. But how could that be? Only students, mere children had opposed that force.

Gregor opened his mouth to utter a response, only to be rudely interrupted by several loud, simultaneous CRACKs. Instantly the Death Eaters reached for their wands, only to stop at a soft voice, replete with threat. "The first one that touches a wand, dies, lads" Sirius growled dangerously.

"Thank you Sirius" Harry said calmly, he and Draco had appeared at the head of the table, Ron and Hermione had appeared just behind McNair to one side, while Lupin, Sirius and Tonks had apparated in near the doors. They had been lucky on their positioning, the spell just showed them where the bad guys were, not where the doors and such where. With a tight, dangerous smile, Harry sat down in the empty chair at the head of the table, carefully placing the sheathed Sword of Gryffindor on the table in front of him. With a negligent gesture, Harry took a small box from his pocket and threw it on the table in front of McNair. Smiling tightly he flung his dragonhide boots on the darkly polished table, and waved idly at the box. It instantly returned to its former size. "My calling card, gentlemen. And I assure you that I use that term, quite loosely." Harry steepled his fingers in front of his face, he glared at he Death Eaters at the table over the tops of his glasses in an remarkably good impression of Dumbledore dealing with a problem student.

"What do you want, Potter?" McNair snarled, then as he glanced up at Draco then around at the Aurors that had appeared in the room, "I see that you brought your little Mudblood, and a whole great lot of blood-traitors." He laughed bitterly, "or is it that she just clings on like a little..."

"McNair" Hermione put in sweetly, "remember Dolohov? I do." She stopped at a raised hand from Harry, and contented herself with glaring at McNair. Ron put a hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off violently.

Harry glanced over at Hamilton, who looked as if he was trying to sneak a hand towards a wand, and shook his head sadly, "don't...now listen carefully, I am not going to repeat myself. You have lost. Tom Riddle is dead. You can still survive, those of you who decide to surrender now and turn witnesses for the Ministry, will live, I'm afraid those of you who don't..." Harry left the rest unsaid.

"How dare, you use that name," Blatz howled, "You cannot kill our master, you have tried and failed..."

"NO!" Harry snapped, "The truth of the matter is that your master tried to kill me six times himself and failed and the rest of you tried many more times, I only succeed once. Open the box." McNair reached out and tipped over the box. Out onto the table, the severed head of Tom Riddle, rolled out, his red, cat-pupiled eyes open and staring, his mouth still open from shock, the gray skin waxy and taught.

Most of the Death Eaters stared in shock, but three did not, Hamilton, McNair and Ted Antilles all stretched for wands, and time slowed to a stop. The lights died in the room, steel hissed, and a bright flash lit the room for an instant, "Incendio" Harry murmured and the torches relit. Harry was in the exact same position he had been, boots on the table, next to the sheath of the Gryffindor sword, the sheath was now however empty. Harry held the sword, and was carefully, pointedly, wiping the blade with a small cloth. Hermione muttered a cleaning charm as she replaced her sword in its sheath, and across the room, Sirius relaxed from a crouch, his wand slowly coming down. No one else had moved. McNair, Hamilton and Antilles were dead, Hamilton joining their master on the table, McNair sprawled messily over a chair, and Antilles slumped in a heap at the base of the wall, his head at an odd angle, his face puce. "Anyone else?" Harry asked quietly only to watch eight pairs of hands slowly inch upward. "Very well. ACCIO WANDS" eleven wands shot to his hand, and he laid them in an untidy pile on the table in front of him. "Diffindo" all eleven wands neatly cleaved in two, small eruptions of energy releasing from each. Harry stood and looked down on them, "Tonks if you would..."

"You lot are under arrest for Murder, Attempted Murder, Rape, High Treason, Use of Unforgivable Curses on Sentient Beings, Cruelty to Creatures, and general unseemliness. I'm sure that we will come up with something else, INCARCEROUS," Tonks incanted, waving her wand over the surviving Death Eaters. Faintly glowing ropes instantly sprung into being, tightly binding the Death Eaters' arms to their chests. Harry picked up the bowl that had contained fruit before it had got knocked askew in the brief struggle, "portus." The bowl flashed blue for an instant, shivered and settled back down.

Harry handed the bowl to Tonks, "here this will take you to the Ministry. Dumbledore told me that the Wizengamot would be in session tomorrow to decide their fates. You lot better think about what you are going to say to them tomorrow." Harry glanced over at Lupin who nodded minutely and walked over to his partner. "Go on with them Sirius, we'll see each other tomorrow." He nodded to Harry, and as Tonks fastened the last of the captive's ropes to the portkey, Sirius and Lupin touched it and they all vanished in a blaze of color. Leaving the bodies and Harry, Hermione, Ron and Draco behind.

With a scowl Draco surveyed the scene, arms crossed over his chest. He blew a stray lock of hair out of his eye and glared annoyedly over at Harry, "you could have at least had her take the bodies, Potter." He growled, but there was no heat in the observation, more of a comment than anything else.

"Yeah I guess I could have," Harry agreed softly, getting up he headed towards the door, and held it open for Hermione, "Are you coming back to Hogwarts Draco? Dumbledore is having the graduation still Saturday."

"I don't know" Draco replied, sitting down in a chair in the room, his company the dead Death Eaters.

"Ok..." Harry replied, understanding instantly, "I have to go rescue a cat."

***********************Hogwarts, Heads Common Room*********************

June 14, 2006

1:00 am

"Harry" Hermione murmured next to him on the couch, both of them were too riled up to sleep yet, and had come up to the room, after talking briefly to those students still in the common room. The younger students were leaving in the morning on the express for London, and the older students, and those younger students staying for the graduation such as Luna and Ginny were staying. And so the common room was crowded, Gryffindor Tower was playing host to the Ravenclaws, whose dorm was lying to one side of the castle.

Harry and Hermione had had to stop many times for a word with their surviving classmates, and since they all had technically graduated, the atmosphere, was like a melancholy party. Seamus and Lavender had been dancing together, their annoyance with each other forgotten. Pavarti and Padma; were playing a muggle game with Ginny and Luna, though the shots of accompanying firewhiskey, were not part of the original rules of monopoly, even the enchanted version. Dean and Neville had been watching the game, quietly sharing asides as the girls played. Everyone had stopped as soon as the trio walked in, every eye instantly tracking towards them as they entered the main common room. Finally after several long minutes, Harry and Hermione had peeled off, Ron waving them goodnight, as he settled into the game next to his fiancée.

"Yeah Mione," Harry replied sleepily, snuggling down on the couch and pulling her with him. Crookshanks looked up at the pair, and went back to cleaning his whiskers, he had been inordinately pleased with himself ever since they had opened the door at Malfoy Manor, and he came strutting out. Neither of them had looked into the room, but stepped away and rode the portkey Ron had created back to Hogwarts.

"Lets get married." Hermione said suddenly, not glancing back at him.

Harry raised an eyebrow as he woke back up, "umm, love, that's why you have that ring on."

"I mean now." Hermione replied though a bit lower lip. The sudden case of nerves she felt as the words left her lips, was odd, especially considering what they had gone together through in the last few days.

Harry had gotten much better at reading girls' moods, especially hers, but his response didn't need to take any of that into account, "ok, dear" he responded instantly. His lips twitched upward at a random thought, "I don't know who we can get to perform the ceremony at one am, though Granddad's probably still up. I'm not sure how your bridesmaids will take it though, from what I saw down stairs I'm not sure they can stand right now." Hermione reached back, and gently rapped him on the back of the head.

"I didn't mean tonight, dufus." Hermione giggled then sighed, "Though it would shock Molly if we did tonight, I bet we could get Ginny at least, standing." She squeezed his trapped hand, and he laughed at the shared mental image. Harry could feel her mental gears kicking into overdrive, and he shuttered just a tiny bit. "What about after graduation, Saturday?"

"Fine."

"Fine, FINE...HARRY, this is..." Hermione snapped.

"Mione, love...I know. Whatever you want is fine with me, I mean if you want to go off to the States, and go to Vegas, that's fine, if you want to get married in the Great Hall a year from now, that's fine. The moment you came into that stable in Hogsmeade after me, I was yours forever. That bloody month at the Dursleys damn near killed me."

"Me too," She whispered in response. Tilting her head back she looked into his eyes, "then its agreed?"

"Yeah, actually lets do one better, I assume that you would like Ginny and Luna as bridesmaids, Pavarti and Lav too?" Hermione nodded, as she sat up and looked at him quizzically. Harry grinned at her and reached forward and scrawled a note on a scrap parchment that Hermione kept on the table for that purpose. With a wave of his wand, the parchment folded itself into a small little owl and flew out of the room and down to the main common room below.

"What was that?" Hermione grinned. Harry didn't answer her; he raised a hand to forestall comment. Several moments later, the just mentioned witches and Ron staggered up the stairs, actually Ron was fine, just exhausted; he had been working after all.

With a tired grin, Ron plopped down in an armchair opposite the couch; Luna immediately dropped in his lap, and wrapped both arms around his neck. She looked up at him dreamily, smiling. She was either, really, really herself tonight, or rather this morning, or a bit in the cups, or a bit of both. Ginny came sleepily in after the other girls, "What's up mate?" Ron asked as Luna started nibbling on his neck. Ginny looked down at the pair and rolled her eyes, muttering something about permanent damage. At that same moment, Neville came up the stairs and walking over to Ginny, he put his arms around her waist. Unconsciously, Ginny's hands came up to capture his automatically, revealing a glint on the third finger of her left hand.

Hermione was too tired, and Luna, too Luna to notice right now, but Pavarti, let out a squeal, "GINNY, WHEN?" Hermione's and even Luna's gaze snapped to the diminutive Weasley, with the attraction instinctive to most girls. Ron's reaction was a bit slower, but no less dramatic.

"Actually two days before Harry broke down" Ginny replied beaming. "But we are not planning on anything until after I graduate." But before she could gloat any on Neville beating Harry to the punch, Ron exploded. It wasn't much of gloat anyway, everyone, including them, more or less, had already considered that Harry and Hermione more or less engaged anyway. Their infamous fight that had scared small children, namely Gryffindor first years, had been enough evidence of that, and even more so, the garbled rumors of the make up to that fight.

"WHAT?" Ron snapped, and glared at Neville. Neville Longbottom was not the same boy he had been seven years ago, he glared back at the fire-haired wizard, and slowly raised an eyebrow, as if daring Ron to start something. To everyone's surprise however, Ron took a deep breath, as if to collect himself, and held out his hand, "Congrats, mate...I'm glad you'll be the one who has to put up with her."

"RONALD," Ginny snarled, but she was laughing by the time she got to the end of his name. "Thanks bro," she said seriously.

Ron nodded and turned back to Neville, and tried to adopt a threatening glower, which was rather hard, as Luna had resumed her ministrations. He pulled it off more or less. "Neville, you hurt her..."

"And you'll hunt him down," Harry and Hermione chorused together. Ron had said the same thing to Harry, at Grimmauld right after they all had resolved their differences.

"I'm glad you remembered," Ron groused, and then sighed. In a somewhat shaky voice, "Ummm Harry, Herm, why did you want us up here?" Luna's hand was wandering south, and Harry and Hermione were watching with small, matching grins.

"Ron, everyone" Hermione said looking around the room at everyone, including Luna, who didn't look back as she was buys with Ron's neck, but she didn't hold it against the blond. "We are going to ask Dumbledore if he would marry us Saturday after the Graduation ceremonies, and do you guys want to be in it? The wedding that is. You all are graduating, right Ron?"

"Yes, Hermione" Ron muttered, but as he said that Luna's head popped up like a wolf tracking her prey. She looked over at Hermione, who gave her a puzzled little wave, then bent back down to Ron, and whispered something urgently in his ear. Harry could have overheard easily from that distance, but he carefully kept his senses in check, so as not to violate their privacy. "Are you sure, luv?" Ron replied, softly to Luna. "Even with school?" Luna nodded vigorously and laid her head on Ron's shoulders. "Harry, Hermione, how about we make that wedding a double?"

Harry and Hermione's gaze snapped to each other, and a pair of broad identical grins slowly spread across their faces. It's fitting love. Harry replied with a laugh.

I'd like nothing better Harry, but Luna won't graduate until next year. Hermione looked back to her adoptive brother and sighed, "Ron...Luna, you won't graduate until next year. Otherwise..." She shrugged a bit.

But Luna had the answer, in her 'working tone', the one she dropped into when being shot at or something else necessitated her being fully on this plane of existence, however briefly, "Honestly, Hermione...its in Hogwarts a History. Married couples can get special exemptions for one of the pair to commute to school, or for the non-student, to live on site. There are still married quarters, even if they aren't being used right now." She smiled and kissed Ron on the ear, which turned red instantly.

Bloody hell, Hermione remembered with an annoyed sigh, She's right. "You're right Luna, sorry." Lavender and Pavarti gasped a bit as they heard her admit that she was wrong, it happened so infrequently, that probably only Harry had heard that admission before, and he only once in a blue moon. "Ron, Luna, we'd be honored." And with those words, another chapter was written in the legend.

*****************************Headmaster's Office**************************

"Another Alastor?" Dumbledore asked softly and at Mad-Eye's nod, he poured him another shot of hundred-year-old Ogden's. Dumbledore sat back and regarded his old friend, and took a sip of his own drink. Briefly his thoughts flashed back to a conversation in a muggle pub, years ago, and a brief smile crossed his lips, Looks like I did raise Arthur, after all old friend.

Moody was obviously also thinking of that night, but his thoughts were a touch darker. "This isn't over yet is it Albus?" He took a gulp of his drink, downing about half of the generous portion.

Dumbledore sighed, as if to demonstrate every one of his years. "I don't know. There are forces in play, still. Forces that are..." He said the last in a whisper and Moody did not hear it that, for it was for another time, hopefully never.

"This is like last time, Albus" Moody growled, "we didn't get Lucius this time either, honestly most of the Death Eaters are still free, not counting those that were captured, "he paused looking at his watch, "blimey...yesterday."

"Yes, Alastor, we did not again." Dumbledore shrugged and regarded him over the tops of his half moons. "But this time is different. Lucius may very well become the next Dark Lord, it was always his ambition after all, but his powers do not rival Tom's. And second, he is not off the hook, with a lie and bribes this time. The Potters and the Weasleys won't stop until he's in Azkaban for good, or dead of course, they all owe him far too much."

"For now Albus, but remember Tom's powers suddenly jumped in magnitude too, after he left Hogwarts, what's to say it can't happen again? And Lucius will be out for revenge." Mad-Eye shot back, slammed his drink and sat back in his chair, his eye spinning wildly as if expecting an attack any second. Outside, an early summer rain started to hammer on the windows. Alastor sighed and took a sip of his whisky, his eye spun to look at the glass as Norbert flew past; then back to Dumbledore.

"Albus...explain something to me. How did Harry kill Riddle, and how was Granger able to hurt him as well, and survive the Kedavra?" Dumbledore started to say something but was cut off by a quick headshake. "No Albus, I don't want details of the battle, I was in part of it after all...I mean how? I have seen Voldemort shrug off spells that should have crushed a mortal, and turn sword strikes with his hands, and things that still give me nightmares, and I KNOW the bastard is dead."

Dumbledore settled back in his chair and took a drink. He did not answer right away, but his eyes held an odd, odd look. The twinkle was there, but it seemed to be warring with something darker, something like grim satisfaction at a job that you hated, but knew was crucial. "Alastor, as you know, Tom Riddle's greatest fear was death. He performed brutal, arcane rituals to hold off his death, and indeed some of those may have helped keep him, in some sense, alive after Harry defeated him as an infant. And with his rebirth he should have regained those protections tenfold, and indeed, as I can tell you from my experience at the Ministry he did. I do not feel shame in admitting I was a touch, concerned, for a bit during that duel. But in the end, he caused his own demise. You see, Alastor, yes I could fight him, and in time, perhaps, I could have battered my way through his defenses, but not before, he would have already destroyed me, I am afraid. You see, when Tom...insisted...on using Harry's blood to complete his rebirth he created the very enemy that could destroy him. Oh, the fact that Harry and his friends, or rather I should say, family were at his side, did not hurt, but by using Harry's blood, the very protections that Voldemort had performed on himself were null and void, as it pertains to Harry, just as the converse became true when Tom took his blood. And as to Hermione, did you not notice the ring that night Alastor, or more importantly her hand?"

"Blimey...I saw the ring of course, but we all knew that was coming..."

"Yes," Dumbledore smiled slightly, "but they bonded Alastor, they were one when Riddle faced them. That is why the original Kedavra did not kill her on the pitch; it is very hard, even for Lord Voldemort, to tear asunder two souls with one curse, especially when they both can provide such an anchor for each other. She actually found the solution last year, but discounted it as being impossible. There is probably no other pair that could have performed that feat. As to her being able to hurt him, it was the exact same reason as Harry could."



A/N: I'm back, sorry it was a bit, I literally just got off the plane. But it's a long chapter. Ohh btw this story is now at least 49 chapters long....

Built by Text2Html

46. A Wake for Bachelorhood

I still only own the plot, JKR still owns the characters as she should.


Chapter 46: A Wake for Bachelorhood

************************12 Grimmauld Place******************************

June 14, 2006
8:00 am

BANG. BANG. A thunderous knock sounded on the door of the old top bedroom of Grimmauld Place. With a low groan and more than a few murmured expletives and possibly a curse or two, Sirius Black blearily peered out from under a pile of blankets. He had returned from his exile to find the old house transformed. All of the bedrooms had been redone, the dining room polished, the training rooms and the potions labs in the basement restocked, the kitchen full of food. He had jumped and gone for a wand when he found Dobby instead of Kreacher, but he thoroughly approved of the change.

Dobby had just smiled as he happily informed him of the work, and that he had taken the liberty of making slight changes to the layout of the house. The second floor landing had been magically rearranged a bit to combine Harry's, Sirius' old room, and Hermione's into one. Dobby had apologized profusely for the fact that Sirius couldn't have his old bedroom, but he extensively explained that he had redone Buckbeak's old room instead for him. Sirius was perfectly fine with that change, though he did grumble a tad bit at realizing that he was the only single person living in Grimmauld at the moment, or in the near future.

Harry and Hermione were still planning on living here, as were Ron and Luna, and possibly Neville and Ginny, though that still might need to be discussed with Molly, and very possibly behind strong defensive wards. With the addition of Tonks and Lupin in one of the basement bedrooms, the old house, once a home of darkness, was now more resembling Gryffindor Tower. Albeit several hundred miles to the south, of course. Slowly waking, Sirius glanced around the room, noticing again the clean glass, the small photos of the original Marauders and Harry and Hermione that Dobby had placed on his night table; picking up his wand just in case, "WHO IS IT?"

"Me" Lupin said from the door as he opened it. The werewolf padded in quietly followed quickly by the Weasley twins, and Tonks. Lupin smiled as he dropped into an armchair across from the bed as Sirius sat up.

"Moony, I bloody well was at the Ministry until two, I am going to go back to sleep, and then I am going to get up and go see Harry and Hermione." Sirius growled. He started to lie back down, but stopped and glared at the twins, "and why are Gred and Forge here anyway? Tonks at least sleeps with you." Sirius batted away the cushion that Tonks threw at his head.

"Well Sirius..." Fred said brightly.

"We were down at Diagon alley, looking at the ruins of our shop." George continued.

"And we were sad," Fred continued.

"And then we got an owl..." George put in. And as if that were a sign, a snowy white owl started pecking at the window. With a wave of Tonks' wand, the window opened and Hedwig fluttered in, landed on Sirius' bedside and extended her leg. With a small smile, Sirius took off a pair of parchments, an oddly formal pair, from Hedwig's leg. Seeing that one had had Lupin and Tonks' names on it he tossed it over to them and breaking a red wax seal, one inscribed with the Gryffindor crest, he noticed idly, he began to read.

Sirius Black,

You and a guest are invited to the dual weddings of Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger and Ronald Bilius Weasley and Luna Melanie Lovegood. Festivities are to begin at 6:00 pm at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry on the seventeenth of June.

Signed:

Harry James Potter
Hermione Jane Granger

Ronald Bilius Weasley
Luna Melanie Lovegood

P.S. Padfoot, You bloody well better show up, as otherwise I don't know who will hand me the ring if you don't.

Harry

Sirius' deep gray eyes glowed as he looked up and met his old friends. He laughed, almost shaking in his sudden mirth, "Boy doesn't waste time does he Remus?"

"He's had good teachers my friend." Remus replied, as Tonks took the invitation and ran out of the room, giggling happily and muttering something about finding a dress. Remus cursed under his breath.

"That he has; looks like he'll even beat his father..." Sirius turned back to the twins, "Why were you here again?"

"Well as we said, we were sad, looking at our destroyed flagship shop." Fred shrugged.

"We actually went there to lay some flowers for Katie." George admitted glumly. Sirius nodded slowly, as in the days since his return, he had been filled in on the events of the last two years. "But then Hedwig appeared with the news. And we were happy for a bit."

"And we realized something" Fred said, his tone and expression suddenly bright.

"That little Ronnikins and Harry need, a...tasteful memorial for the passing of their sacred bachelorhood, a wake if you will." Sirius sat up at George's words, and he and Lupin shared a meaningful look.

Remus smiled, the tips of his fangs showing a bit, "when were you planning on doing this?"

"Tonight, of course...we aren't heartless;" Fred said, "We want both of them perfectly sober for their funer...er...weddings."

With a great laugh, Sirius leapt from his bed, and threw an arm around each twin. "Did Remus ever tell you two about James' bachelor party?"

***************************Gryffindor Common Room***********************

8:00 pm

Hermione, Tonks, Luna and Ginny stood in the common room watching a slightly bemused Harry and a definitely apprehensive Ron being led out of the portrait hole by the twins and Sirius. Seamus, Dean, Neville, Bill, Charlie and Remus were trailing behind; Remus at least was shaking his head, almost mournfully.

Finally the portrait closed, leaving the girls still in the tower. With a headshake of her own, Hermione walked over to the couch, where Lavender, Pavarti, and Padma waited. "Here, sis" Ginny laughed as she handed Hermione a drink. The witch looked at her, but shrugged and took the shot anyway.

With a wave of a wand, Ginny cranked the music on the enchanted CD player in the corner, and the sound of the Rolling Stones echoed off the ancient walls of Hogwarts. Appropriate, since Keith Richards was a wizard after all, it was the only thing that had kept him alive all these years. Tonks started dancing, she had already started a bit early, and a pair of kneazles ran for the hills. Crookshanks and Spooky were both wisely fearful for the safety of their tails under the feet of the walking disaster known as Nymphadora.

"I CAN'T GET NOOOO... SATISFACTIONNN."

"Come on Herm." Ginny cried from near the fire, ducking absently as a clumsy swipe of Tonks' hand passed over her head. Hermione grimaced as she sipped the drink.

"Damn that's nasty," Hermione, snapped, finishing the shot glass, "what is this?"

"Tequila," Tonks replied, grinning mischievously; "I picked it up from some chaps I know in the American CIA. Oh the limes..." with a flick of her wand, a plate of cut limes and a salt shaker appeared. "Its not so bad if you do it right." With another flick, Tonks summoned the tumbler to her. "There is a technique," she smirked, looking over at the curly haired witch. "What did that Mulder bloke say...oh yeah, lick it, slam it and eat the worm."

"Worm?" Hermione snapped...her eyes wide.

"Yeah...this particular stuff is wizard made, so its has a flobberworm in the bottom of the bottle for favor..."

"You have got to be joking."

"Ohh come on Hermione..." Pavarti laughed, "you're a witch, you have drunk potions for seven years. And all sorts of them have worms and worse." To prove her point, the raven tressed girl picked up a pair of shots, handed one to her sister and in a perfectly choreographed move the twins clinked their glasses, licked the salt, slammed the shot and sucked on a pair of limes. Each with identical shudders as the liquid hit their throats.

With a long, suffering sigh, Hermione took another drink, and followed the twins' example, right down to the shudder. "Ok, what's next?" Hermione laughed as she looked at the expressions on her friend's faces..."what no stripper?"

********************The Three Broomsticks, Hogsmeade**********************

9:30 pm

"Oi Harry, RON" Fred yelled across the crowded bar. Rosmerta had seen them coming and somewhat ambivalently let them in. She did however greet Sirius with a crushing hug after the news of his innocence and return had been plastered across the front page of the Daily Prophet. Along with at least twenty of other pages dedicated to Harry, Hermione, Ron and the others, and a long, too long, memorial section for those who had died.

"WHAT!" Both wizards snapped across the bar. In the hour and a half since they had been pulled from Gryffindor tower, both of them had probably imbued as much alcohol as they ever had before in one night. Harry's hair was even messier than usual and his glasses were crooked on his face. Ron on the other hand was slowly becoming a touch red about the face and if the twins had anything to do with it he would be even more so very soon.

Harry and Ron were each nursing some concoction that the twins had given them. Some faintly glowing green liquid that Remus half thought that, as he looked over at the pair, that is if he were a little more sober, his oath of duty as an Auror would probably make him confiscate. Good thing I'm just now sworn in, I can pretend I don't know what absinth can do to wizards. Both he and Sirius were sitting in a corner, talking or at least trying to over the noise in the bar. "So Padfoot." Lupin half-shouted over the din, "what do you think?" Lupin waved his firewhiskey in the general direction of the bar where Harry was standing, talking to Hagrid with a stupid look on his face. Behind Harry, they could see the twins wheeling out a giant, green top hat.

Sirius gave a small grin, his gray eyes twinkled; "I think that top hat is a little much." He frowned suddenly, "you know the bloody thing reminds me of that damn thing Fudge used to wear on inspections at Azkaban." Sirius spat the name, a cloud passing in his eyes for a moment before dismissing it with a quick shake of his head. "That's the past now though Moony," his smirk was almost ear to ear now, "just think my friend, some day soon, we'll have whole new generations of Marauders to teach to annoy and perplex the Hogwarts staff."

Lupin nodded and raised his glass, Sirius did the same as they both looked over at Harry, "To the Marauders, past, present and future...good luck Harry...you're going to need it." Sirius grinned as he clinked glasses with his oldest friend.

"May I have your attention?" Fred suddenly hollered from near the large, green top hat.

"In honor of our little Ronnikins and Harry's pending nuptials, we thought that they could stand with a bit of relaxation before that final plunge...so without further ado...Miss Harmony Gold." With a flick of George's wand, an odd pounding beat suddenly echoed through the pub, and in an explosion of light and sound the top of the hat erupted. Slowly, sensuously, a figure emerged from the smoke. As she came closer, Harry gulped a bit, looking her over.

A girl with cinnamon brown curls, brown eyes and wearing a Hogwarts school uniform at least two sizes too small, smiled at him. With a brief flick of her wrist behind her back and a wink, she stood, suddenly devoid of her uniform shirt, with only a lacy black bra, cut low and tight, north of her hips. She smiled rakishly as she sauntered over to Harry and ran a finger down his cheek. Harry gave her a tight smile as she flicked her hip at him, and turned to Ron. Behind her, Harry Potter, the savior of the world for like the third or fourth time now, flushed red and slammed his drink.

Next to Harry, the girl had started dancing close to or rather on Ron, and in the time Harry had been distracted, she had lost her skirt and was now in a black thong to match the bra.

Back at their table in the corner the elder Marauders sighed, and rolled their eyes. "Better save him Sirius, you are his godfather." Lupin laughed as they took in Harry's gobsmacked expression. With a nod, Sirius went and grabbed Harry, and pulled him back through the crowd. Looking over, the girl shrugged before continuing to dance with Ron.

Harry looked over at the pair, took a shot from the table and drunk it quickly. "Thanks Sirius," Harry glanced around a touch embarrassed, "I don't know what happened there, I ah...was freaking out... she ahh..."

Sirius and Lupin shared a look, "sorry Harry that would be our fault, we ahh told the twins about your dad's bachelor party, and how we got a girl that looked like Lily." Harry looked suddenly green at that revelation, and with a quick meaningful glance Lupin shut up Sirius. Harry gave him a look of gratitude and now that he was back a bit, he found he could enjoy the show, especially if he replaced the face. The three of them watched as the girl jumped up on the bar, and started dancing with a pole that had appeared from somewhere.

****************************Gryffindor Tower*****************************
12:05 am

"Do you whissh that we'd gotten a strip..ppper," Ginny managed as she looked over at Hermione from across the table. She giggled, "we th..thought about i..it, but we couldn't f..f..find anyone who looked like Harry...damn it." She giggled again, "oh wait...I'm a witch...P.ppollypuce." And with that belated, drunken realization Ginny Weasley slid to the floor.

Hermione grinned as she regarded her adoptive sister. With a salute to the fallen Weasley, she raised her shot glass, and slammed the drink. It took a couple of tries to find her mouth with the lime slice but she succeeded in the end.

"Well Hermione, Luna." Pavarti glanced over at the other girls, she and her sister shared a knowing grin, "just between us girls...how are they in the sack...Harry and Ron, that is."

Hermione looked at them, "bloody amazing" she blurted out unthinkingly. Her face grew red an instant after she realized what she had said and she quickly took another drink to cover it. Next to her Luna was staring at a wall in the general direction of Hogsmeade. Hermione elbowed her, "Luna, sex, Ron, how...and I'm closing my ears..."

"Oh." Luna replied, her eyes were a touch glassy, "Ron and I had great sex just before supper. Hermione, you should definitely pack the black set for the honeymoon." The Patils raised one eyebrow each at that response while Hermione nodded knowingly.

After another half hour of similar questions, only Hermione, and Tonks were in a fit state to crawl and Hermione barely so. She looked up at Tonks and grinned, sloppily. It took two passes to push the hair the hair out of her eyes. Hermione glanced around and noticed suddenly that most of those who had started with them tonight were either out of it, like Ginny who had started a while before her and Luna or were having intense conversions amongst themselves of the type that only made sense while inebriated. Such as the one going on between Luna and the Patil twins, though at any other time the raven-haired doppelgangers would have thought her insane. Right now they both looked enraptured with Luna's loud explanation of the red-membered Crenskle cat.

With a nod to someone unheard, Hermione stood shakily and started walking towards the portrait hole. "Wotcher Hermione," Tonks shouted after her as Hermione had almost reached the portrait. Sir Caldongon was once again filling for the Fat Lady as she was still traumatized over the events of the night of the attack. She turned back to the blue-haired witch. "Where are you going?" Hermione shrugged, and after a couple of failed attempts left via the portrait hole.

"Oh bloody hell." Tonks muttered under her breath. With a slightly shaking hand, Tonks pulled out a small vial of a bright orange liquid. Uncapping it, she swallowed it in one shuddering gulp. Instantly her vision cleared, her coordination, what there was of it anyway, returned to normal and she was once again, stone sober. "Merlin that stuff tastes like shit, but it works." She whispered to herself again and without a further word to anyone in the room, Tonks followed Hermione out of the portrait hole and out of the common room. Behind her, Luna was just getting into a serious discussion of the possibilities of Snortcat farming.

In the seventh floor corridor, Tonks heard a set of rapidly retreating, albeit stumbling footsteps, and with a practiced move, she snapped open a tightly folded invisibility cloak and whirled it over her head.

************************The Hogs Head, Hogsmeade************************
1:05 am

Unlike the girls' party, the boys had gotten Harry and Ron a stripper. The witch, who seemed to bear a striking resemblance to the current Head Girl of Hogwarts even down to the uniform, albeit at least two sizes too small, had appeared from inside a gigantic top hat, as Fred thought that was more appropriate for a wizard than a cake. It had been a long time since Harry had been embarrassed, but the twins had succeeded to taking him back to that state. Between that, and the somewhat nefarious rule that had Harry and Ron with a drink in their hands at all times, alcoholic of course, the boys were about a bedsheet factory to the wind.

The party had started out at the Three Broomsticks, but after Rosmerta kicked them out for being too loud, and for the twins' stripper dancing on the main bar, the party had ended up at the Hogs Head. And that was the pretty much the high point. "WHAT YA THINKING OF MATE?" Fred yelled from about two inches away. Harry just shrugged, and took a shot of his firewhiskey, his thoughts wandering back to the last time he was in this pub. In his mind's eye he looked over the room and saw the shadows of that long ago meeting of the DA. He could see Hermione bossily sitting over her parchment, the twins almost where they were now, threatening the ghost of Zacharis Smith, who had died only about two hundred yards from here. Likewise the shadow of Ernie McMillan sat next to him, also dead in the fighting at Hogsmeade. Glancing over at the twins, Harry could see Charlie sitting next them. When they had finally found him, he had been badly hurt, and still walked with a limp, a week later. Sirius laughed heartily as he waved around his glass, motioning for a refill, his eyes betraying his most recent ordeal.

Suddenly a tough-looking wizard, muscles bulging under his robes and between his ears, walked over and without a word of warning, shoved Harry off his chair to the floor. "Damn little git, think you're tough shyte 'cause you knocked off You-Know-Who." Harry ignored the drunk; standing a bit shakily he picked up his stool and sat back down. Only to get knocked once more to the floor. The bar grew suddenly silent, as Harry stood once again, and sat once more.

With a roar of anger, the wizard screamed in Harry's ear, "I'll show you tough shit." With the swing of a ham-sized fist, Harry was knocked sprawling. Instantly all the Gryffindors that had been watching erupted up, pouring over the recalcitrant wizard like lava from a volcano. Five more toughs jumped in the fight, and sudden, shrieking whistles marked the approach of MLE officers. In the midst of the fight, Harry stood up, and after noticing that the remaining Gryffindors were more than holding their own, he staggered to the bar. Stopping only briefly to deliver a tottering kick to the chin of the first village tough, who dropped like a sack of stones at the impact. Silently, Harry tossed a galleon onto the bar, and taking a bottle of Ogden's with him, he staggered out into the night, sipping from the bottle as he went.

Showing his new Auror credentials to the responding officers, and stating emphatically that the Gryffindors were not at fault, Lupin padded into the night. As the only reasonably sober one, he felt he should look after Harry. While Lupin crept from shadow to shadow, Harry shambled down the center of the deserted street, finally coming to a stop on a park bench near the end of town. With a small sigh, Lupin started to settle in, but as a familiar scent carried on the winds to his nose, he suddenly knew he would soon be relieved of that duty.

Harry did not look up as a cloaked figure, sat down next to him; he just lay down on the bench, his head in her lap. "Her...me..me..ne...I'm drunk." He whispered, loudly.

"Yes love." Hermione replied, her words a touch slurred as well. "Me too, but not as bad as you." Absently she ran her fingers through his hair, "why are we 'unk again?" Harry wiggled closer to her, like a giant cat in his master's lap.

"Gred and Forge, its their f.f..fault, let's blow em up." Hermione smiled slightly and nodded. Harry looked up at her, then as such things often do, past thoughts came back; regrets, doubts, fears, "Herr..rrr..me...are you diss...diis...mad at me?" Harry asked with the seriousness of the truly sotted.

"No Harry, why would I be?"

"Cause, I'm a kill...bad person." Harry replied quickly, his eyes not looking at hers.

Across the park in the shadows, a second, large black dog padded silently up to Lupin and SHIFTED. Sirius gazed over that the pair, smiling indulgently. "How are they Moony?" he whispered.

Lupin did not turn; he just shrugged and replied in a low mutter, "they're drunk enough to remember and not drunk enough to forget. They'll be fine, though." Sirius nodded slowly and the pair of them eased to the ground, sitting at the base of the wall as they looked over at their charges by choice.

"Not any more than me Harry." Hermione replied softly, as she gazed up at the June stars.

"Its, my f..f..fault though." Harry managed and tried to take another drink from his bottle. Hermione gently pulled the bottle from his hands and set it on the ground next to them. Harry did not argue her action, but looked up at her with eyes that were wet with tears. "W..why, did they follow me, I cost them so much...I cost you and Ron so damn much." A sudden choked sob, and Hermione felt tears dampen her lap.

Feeling a tear fall on his face from above, Harry sat up and wrapped his arms around her, "because it was the right thing to do Harry." Hermione replied softly, "because we knew you would do the same for us."

"Its not over, M..Mione, it may never b...be." Hermione ran her hand though his inky hair as he didn't want to meet her eyes, "What if next time, its Ron, or Ginny or you...are you sure that you still want to marry me? Are you ready to have to be on your guard all the time? That..." Harry's tearful question was quickly interrupted.

"Harry...shut up." Hermione replied in a small, tiny whisper, as she grabbed his head in both hands, and tenderly tilted his head so she could softly kiss his forehead next to the scar that symbolized so much over the last seven years, both of terror and hope. "I don't know what is coming, you know what I think of Divination." They both chuckled at that, it was even funnier right now than normal for some reason, "but if we have to charge the very gates of Hell together, we will. You are stuck with me forever, and ever and ever, and ever..." Hermione broke off giggling.

"Good" Harry muttered softly as his eyes slid shut. His breathing slowed and Hermione suddenly had a sleeping drunk on her lap.

Over in the shadows a soft tread crunched the grass, Tonks' head appeared as she crouched down next to the pair, "hey Wolfie" she grinned as she sat next to Lupin and leaned against his shoulder.

"You let her call you Wolfie!" Sirius hissed, over on the bench Hermione looked around, but not seeing anyone and with her senses dulled she didn't see the trio watching them. Tonks walloped his arm and Sirius flashed her a roguish smile. "He never let me call him that."

Lupin glanced at him, then back at Harry and Hermione. Hermione had just slumped over, and was half eased down on the bench, Harry's arms around her waist. "That's because she has...certain charms that you lack Padfoot," he said dryly.

Seeing that their charges were asleep, the trio stood. "Oh I know a spell that could fix that." Sirius shot back. He frowned, "let's get them home...I know from experience how uncomfortable that bench is."

Tonks rolled her eyes and led the three over to the sleeping pair, "Wingardium Leviosa" With a small whish and flick, the sleepers floated in the air, "Come on, it's a long walk back to the castle." She looked over at Hermione indulgently "I know, little sis there, meandered all over the grounds on the way here."

**********************Harry and Hermione's Room, Hogwarts*****************

12:10 pm

A sudden rush of emerald fire erupted in the hearth and Sirius, Lupin, Tonks and the twins tumbled out. Harry glanced up at them, and wordlessly waved them to the couches and chairs lining the room. Harry had a Chudley Cannons hat pulled low over his eyes, to cover them from the sun. Next to him on the couch facing the fire, Hermione grunted and curled her legs under her as she leaned on Harry's shoulder.

Sirius turned and looked at Lupin, an eyebrow communicated everything he needed to know. He chuckled and reached under his robes to pull a pair of vials from his robes, "here." Harry caught the pair without thinking, looking down he noticed something that had been missing from their bathroom this morning.

"Thanks Padfoot," Hermione muttered as she downed the vial. Instantly her vision cleared and the pounding headache she had had ever since she and Harry had mysteriously woke up here in their rooms at Hogwarts vanished. She stood and stretched, walking over to the window to peer out on the grounds of the school. Looking down, she saw construction wizards and a legion of house elves working around the remains of Ravenclaw Tower. Harry?

Yeah, Mione;
Harry replied, his thoughts noticeably clearer than a moment before, as he took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose with a couple of fingers.

Didn't we have plenty of Weasley's Amazing Sober-Up and Hangover Cure?

She felt Harry's sudden realization, Yeah we did, both in our potion stocks and I thought we had some in the bathroom...His eyes flicked over the newcomers, working out the possibilities, the twins...or the marauders?

I'd bet the twins...
Looking over at him, away from the window, she nodded and watched for a flicker of guilt, or better yet, someone to meet her eyes. Fred did for an instant...Yep, the twins.

That's not nice, love
...Harry shot back, as he glanced up at George, but yeah, you're right the guilt is out there for anyone to see. Hermione smiled darkly as she meandered back to his side, and leaned against the back of the couch at his shoulder. Harry watched Lupin, Sirius and Tonks exchange glances and very subtly scoot away from Hermione.

Hermione looked down at Harry, he smiled up at her, and she grinned at him, her face hidden from the others by her hair. Watch this... "Fred, George..." Her eyes came up to them, glinting dangerously in the daylight. She stood and paced slowly to the twins, "Just how did you get into our rooms?" Her eyes flicked to the back wall, where she pointedly stared at the repaired, hidden door, before glaring once more at the pranksters.

"Who us?" Asked George.

"Whaaat?" Inquired Fred.

"You bloody well know." Harry replied as he stretched his legs out onto the coffee table. Crookshanks jumped up on his legs and settled down happily.

"Shush, Harry" Hermione snapped, he raised his hands in mock surrender as she glanced back and winked at him. Her eyes grew hard again as she regarded the twins.

"This could be good" Sirius breathed to Lupin, he carefully didn't show his amusement.

"Fred...George," Hermione started, then with a sudden thought, "and Sirius and Remus as well. I am getting married in," she looked down at her watch and grimaced, "about fifty four hours. Now while I don't really care if I get married in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, none of you, will do anything to ruin it...I mean if there is so much as a kneazle sneezing out of turn..." An evil grin settled on her lips, and Harry emulated Dumbledore as he hid his smile behind his hands, "You will bloody well know why the Daily Prophet is calling me the Girl-Who-Lived." She paced back to Harry and dropped next to him on the couch, "Promise me..."

Fred looked at George; they gulped in unison, and nodded. Hermione raised an eyebrow, "Yes Bookworm, and Leo, we promise, Marauder's honor."

Hermione looked into their eyes for a long moment and finally nodded, satisfied. With a small breath, she looked over to the oldest Marauders. Sirius looked at her and laughed, only to break off quickly as her eyes took on an odd light, he smiled and rose to his feet. Sirius swept an elaborate bow and fell to a knee. "Messers Padfoot and Moony pledge to guard the proceedings with our lives and our very honor."

"Yeah what he said." Remus mumbled.

Sirius nodded and walked over to the fire, "actually we came to see if you would like to join us for lunch, the twins showed up at Grimmauld right as we were leaving. Join us? We were going to stop by Xander's in Diagon Alley, they seem to be under new management; their old, uh owner was one of the ones we piled up by the pumpkin patch. The manager was ok though, he was working for the Ministry, so the MLE arraigned for him to get the deed to the place as a reward."

"Ok" Harry replied for the both of them after asking her with a glance. "Give us a second to change. Oh and Fred, go get Ron, he's always up for lunch."

************************Diagon Alley********************************

1:00pm

CRACK, nine wizards and witches appeared in Diagon Alley. Immediately the damage from the battle a week prior was apparent. Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna had not been further from the castle than Malfoy Manor since the battle at Hogwarts and had only heard stories about the destruction from others. That oversight was now more than taken care of. A haze of smoke remained over the wizarding street, and more than a few of the structures still smoldered. Hermione grabbed his hand as they walked down the street, more out of a sense of shock then anything else.

Flourish and Blots, Quality Quiddich Supplies, Madame Malkin's...they were all shattered and smashed. The wards surrounding the alley had been reestablished days ago to prevent Muggles from wandering in, but Harry briefly wondered Why? Looking about, the there were no bodies except one huge, tarp-covered mound that must be the body of a giant yet to be removed, "Just how did this place we are going to survive?"

"It didn't, not by itself anyway." Tonks replied a bit nervously as she walked though the alley, "it was under the umbrella of the defenses of Gringott's. From what Sean said, he was here with Bones' forces, the Giants just bounced of when they got within a hundred yards of Gringott's, the restaurant was close enough to be covered."

As they reached Xander's a line was queued up outside. A ten-year old girl, in jeans and a t-shirt yelled over, "LOOK MUM, ITS HARRY POTTER." Hermione felt Harry flinch as he squeezed her hand tighter. But he knelt down as the girl approached anyway, a smile on his face. But to his surprise the girl did not ask him for anything, she just jumped up and gave him a hug... "Thank you Mr. Potter."

Harry looked stunned as the little girl hugged Hermione and Ron as well as the girl's mother caught up, "Yes thank you, all of you, her sister was at Hogwarts, I'm a muggle-born and she and her sister are just a year apart, and according to the papers the Chamber would have killed us all, thank you, and my other daughter says that what you taught her saved her and her friends." The woman replied sincerely and Harry noticed idly that not only the girl but also the mother was dressed as a muggle. Interesting as the last time he had been to this place it would have been highly unusual to see anyone over the age of seventeen not in robes, or in clothes newer than 1940s fashions.

"Ma'am what's your name?" Hermione asked gently as Tonks, Lupin and Sirius edged away to give them a bit of privacy and to keep away gawkers, and a couple of Daily Prophet reporters that had appeared from out of nowhere.

The woman looked shocked at her lack of propriety, "Ohh forgive me, my name is Elisha Pierce and this is my daughter Elizabeth. Madeline is a first year, or second, now I guess, Gryffindor."

Harry smiled at her, and chuckled softly, "Oh I know of her, she is was in my first year DADA class, and next to Hermione, she was about the smartest student I've seen in a bit."

"Yes, and she said that the stunner that you taught them in class, let her and her friends get away from a bunch of Death Eaters, they never expected first years to be able to defend themselves. Thank you." And in another shock, the woman hugged Harry and with a parting wave headed back towards the restaurant, where a couple of older wizards let her back in her place in line.

Hermione turned to look at him after they had left, "I guess we do good sometimes." She said pensively.

"Yeah I guess." Harry whispered back.

**************************Hogwarts Infirmary**************************

"Can I help you, Miss Weasley?" Madame Pomfrey asked as Ginny came into the infirmary. The infirmary was empty of the patients that had populated the ward, all of whom had either been healed or transferred to St. Mungo's. The medi-witch was in the process of doing an inventory, counting potions and assorted equipment in preparation of restocking the place after the terrible demands of last Friday and Saturday. As well provided as her miniature hospital was and as skilled as she was, the deaths of too many students and adults and another hundred or so through this infirmary with various degrees of injuries, had taxed her immensely.

Ginny looked nervous, and slightly pale as she walked in and sat down in a chair near her brother's old bed. "I'm not sure. I've been sick for the last couple of days, can you give me something?"

Pomfrey gave Ginny a calculating look, "Let me look you over first, Miss Weasley."

"Can't you just give me something?"

"Now, now, you know I can't very well just give you something, witches and wizards with your powers, while not at the level of Potter or Dumbledore, are substantial, much greater than your mother for example." Poppy prevaricated slightly. Ginny frowned but nodded in the end. Madame Pomfrey led her behind a curtain. Laying her down on a bed, she cast a spell and a yellow beam shot out from the end of her wand. The beam fanned out and scanned from Ginny's head to her toes and back up again before snapping off. She placed the tip of her wand to a blank piece of parchment on a clipboard.

Characters filled in on the paper: Ginny's full name, age, gender and other vital information on top. A small inset picture appeared with her name. Poppy read the results and only long experience kept her from uttering a sound. "Ok Ginny all done; come with me I'll fix you up." She led the girl back to her office, and waved her to a seat, before crossing to sit behind her desk. A flick of her wand closed the office door, "Miss Weasley...I mean Ginny, you are not sick, not precisely anyway." Poppy smiled slightly at the girl, "You're pregnant."

Ginny looked stricken, but somewhere inside she knew Poppy was right, she nodded silently as the healer continued. "Normally as you are underage, I should tell your parents." She paused and sighed, "but you are more an adult than the majority of wizards out there now, it will be up to you, I doubt Albus will fire me should it get out." Pomfrey reached across the desk and grabbed one of Ginny's trembling hands, "do you know who the father is child; I can perform a pater..."

"NO" Ginny snapped, "I know," she replied a bit more calmly.

"I am sorry Ginny, I didn't mean to imply, I just, I am sorry to say have been at this school for many years, and I have seen a few..." Poppy apologized softly, Ginny just nodded, "Ginny I know that you still have one more year here, you do not have to tell anyone yet, but there are special quarters for mothers and mothers to be, they have not been used in ten years, but..."

"What about professor's quarters." Ginny interrupted softly, at Poppy's shocked look, "Madame Pomfrey, you will take what I say in confidence right?"

"I think that you and Harry and the rest have earned the right to call me by my first name,
And yes I will keep what we discuss confidential unless you mean to hurt yourself or others."

"No, I won't, though what mum will do...Its Neville, Poppy, we're engaged. we weren't planning on moving up the wedding, but I know that Neville will want to, now." Ginny replied thoughtfully.




A/N: Two chapters in as many days....wow. Did you all pay attention, there something that one of the characters mentioned that will become important in b3 and its not Ginny's sudden discovery. And actually it was shown earlier...distraction is key.

Built by Text2Html

47. On the Cusp

We're not their yet...Rowling still owns everything, mostly
Chapter 47: On the Cusp.

*******************************Hogwarts*********************************

June 16, 2006 (one day until the graduation/wedding)

Once again, loosing her fiancée, Hermione searched the grounds. However unlike the night that they had bonded in fire and blood, Harry wasn't hiding from her at all. Indeed, even all the way on the other side of the castle grounds, she could feel his presence, almost like a magical bonfire in her mind. Running, she came up behind him, a biting comment on her lips about having to chase him down again, but the words died unspoken as she rounded the trunk of their beech tree. Harry was sitting under its sheltering branches, his eyes cast over the placid waters of the loch. He didn't look up at her as she approached, but acknowledged her presence all the same.

"What do you do, Hmmm...I don't know if I'm ready for this, not really. The last person I loved with all my heart was ripped away in a flash of green." Harry said in a whisper as he skipped a flat stone across the placid surface of the lake. Hermione frowned and dropped down next to him, sighing.

"I'm not going anywhere Harry." She objected, dropping her head to his shoulder.

"No," Harry agreed, he groaned and flicked another rock at the lake, "not if you can help it, no. But can you always help it?" Flicking his fingers, a dozen pebbles shot up from the ground and skipped off the surface. "We are two of the most powerful wizards left, but we're not invincible Mione." His fingers absently played with a lock of her hair, as he watched the squid grab at several ripples in the shallows. Overhead, clouds were passing over the sun, causing vast shadows to cross over them.

"No one is Harry." Hermione replied as she watched Hedwig fly over the lake. Hedwig swirled on a thermal and dove at something out of sight. "We don't know what will happen tomorrow, no one does."

"Trelwaney sure as fuck did." Harry snarled, and sighed. "Sorry." His one word apology was more than enough. Turning her head, she kissed him on the cheek before settling back down. Out past the pair, sitting under a beech tree with at least two generations of Potter initials, the life of the school went on. Out on the lawn, legions of house elves were hovering chairs out to the Quiddich Pitch, since Dumbledore was determined to have a graduation, they were having it outdoors, the Great Hall was still considered unfit for occupation. Over a ways further, the reconstruction efforts continued on Ravenclaw tower. Just yesterday, a Ministry flunky had complained to Dumbledore that it wasn't "seemly" for the parents who would be attending the ceremony to see the wreckage and that they should just a spell to hide it.

The fury in his eyes was intense, as Dumbledore had replied in a voice of ice, that there was no power on Earth that would make him hide that reminder of the students who had so valiantly fought and died, and those poor souls that were caught in the crossfire. Dobby managed to bang the junior assistant to the Undersecretary of Magical Education's head on only about half of the stairs between Dumbledore's office and the main gates as he was "escorting" the visitor out. Harry shook his head at the memory. "Look at me Hermione, I managed to lead them to loose almost half...almost half the students that fought in the corridor died...and that's not to mention what happened in the towers." Harry raised his fingers to flick additional stones, but with that flick, they exploded. "See I can't even control my bloody powers." Harry snapped, his thoughts dark.

"So?" Hermione asked, "Do you think I care?" Without lifting her head from his shoulder, she grabbed the fingers that had just inadvertently shattered the stones and intertwined them with her own. Holding their joined hands up to his face, "It's for better or worse Harry, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If we die tomorrow, if the bloody ground opens up and swallows us whole, it won't matter because we're together damn it, now." She grinned, "Get a grip Potter."

"Yes dear." Harry replied sarcastically as she squeezed his hand. With a grunt, he stood and pulled her to her feet, "Let's walk, Hermione." Harry suggested and after getting a nod in agreement they started off. Still holding her hand, they headed down the path that the two of them had taken, so many months ago, when Hermione had finally started training with Harry. Eventually after they had walked in silence for a while, "its just that...you want kids..." Hermione nodded, slowly, "how can I protect you, protect our family from the Death Eaters, the Vampires, the Dementors...hell probably some bloody big arse bears at this rate."

"You don't Harry." Hermione dropped his hand and turned, putting her hands on either side of his face. She leaned in until their foreheads touched, "we protect each other...and God and Merlin have mercy on anyone who goes after our family...'cause we won't." Harry nodded as he hugged her tightly. A sudden idea flashed in his eyes, and with a laugh, he tumbled the pair of them to the ground.

"HARRY!" Hermione snapped; then shut up abruptly as he silenced any further objections with a quick kiss. "Damn it, Harry, these were clean." Hermione grumbled half-heartedly as she sat up and brushed dust from her shorts. Looking up, her heart jumped as she noticed his eyes twinkling knowingly.

"Well then," Harry replied in a whisper, "we'll just have to take them off now...won't we? Aye...Mrs. Potter?" His fingers brushed the strap of her tank top from her shoulder, as his eyes never left hers. He watched as her brown eyes darkened and the corner of her lip came up in a knowing, half-smile. Almost imperceptivity, she nodded.

"Yeah, I guess we will, Mr. Potter." Hermione replied softly as she reached up and brushed the other strap down as well. Harry grinned as his fingers traced under the waistband of her shorts. Slowly, torturously, Harry peeled her top off, watching transfixedly as the passage of his fingers caused her to shiver. He grinned rakishly as his eyes confirmed his suspicion that she hadn't worn a bra. His eyes flashed, and with a muttered spell, the ground beneath them became soft, courtesy of a cushioning charm.

"You know Mione, I like skirts." Harry mentioned absently as her fingers were playing with the fly of his jeans, and in another instant, they were on the way south. He shivered as a cool breeze erupted over the lake, and Hermione giggled softly.

"And why would that...uhhh...be?" She gasped as his fingers crept down the front of those selfsame, now dirty shorts.

"Easy access." Harry replied softly as Hermione began to emit a soft, purring sound.

Her eyes grinned as she looked up through the veil of her lashes, "Well you could wear a kilt to make it...uhhh...even. Ummmm...this is Scot...land after all." Hermione was a having a decidedly difficult time completing thoughts right now. She bit her lip as Harry kissed down the front of her neck and followed the hollow downward. She bit off a soft moan as he ran his fingers lightly following his lips.

""ERMIONE..."ARRY" a thunderous, slightly hoarse voice rang out among the trees.

"Damnit" Harry hissed as Hermione broke down in giggles. "Screw this," with a flicker of blue, Hermione felt the sensation of an egg breaking over her head, and a sudden coolness flowing down her unclothed back. Quickly, Harry kicked her top under a convenient bush. Lying on top of her, they blended almost seamlessly into the soft grass, only the faintest of outlines betraying their presence.

They watched as Hagrid stomped into the clearing, clearly looking about for them. He shrugged, a giant shrug, "oh, I guess that I'll have to tell Molly I couldn't find her." Hagrid walked off, a slightly disappointed look on his face. "FANG, HERE BOY!"

A whispered "finite" and the pair faded back into view. With a smirk, Hermione glanced up at him, "how can I ever thank you, dear sir from saving me from the attentions of Molly Weasley?"

"Ohh I think you can come up with something..." Harry replied softly, his tongue running over his lips absently. She bit her lip and dropped her face to his chest. Softly kissing downward, Harry felt a trail of fire follow her lips until, with a gasp on his part; he felt sudden warmth of a different kind.

Glancing down, a head of chestnut curls was slowly moving in his lap, "OHH.... yeah...that...works..." Harry managed as Hermione ran her hands up along his flanks and along his chest.

"Hmmm?" She responded, not moving from her task. Harry shuddered in response, and she glanced up at him with amber eyes gone dark. The eyes grinned as she noticed his, were suddenly a dark forest green, with a quick breath; Hermione hummed a little tune. A fire slowly built; then with a sudden rush, he bucked up into her.

Slightly panting, Harry whispered, "You are a little minx, aren't you?" Hermione didn't respond, other than licking her lips slowly. He groaned in response, "get up here." Hermione slithered up him, and kissed him gently, he moaned once more, as he tasted himself on her lips. Next to her bum, a sudden hardening of resolve made its presence known once more.

"Already..." Hermione asked, her voice at least an octave lower than usual. She lowered her lips to his once again and their tongues danced once more. Looking directly into his eyes, she muttered a charm under her breath and joined herself with his lips once more. She gasped against his lips as she lowered herself to him. Taking both his hands in hers, she raised their joined hands above their heads and began to move. Blue light danced in their eyes and with a thought, they shared...everything.

"Hermione..." Harry moaned as she rotated her hips. His heart was thumping against his chest as she leaned in, and he could feel her pulse pounding as well.

"Hmmmm?" Brown eyes glanced up at him, and she bent her lips to his neck and nuzzled. Her hair fell forward, hiding her face from the side, as she moved. Wet bangs were plastered to her forehead, partially covering one eye.

"I love you." Harry whispered.

"You too Harry," she whispered in his ear and with a sudden urge, sped up. Moving quickly now, she whispered his name, over and over. A mantra they had shared many, times before. Warmth flooded her, building in her core, migrating out to her fingers and toes. With a final gasp, she shuddered, gasping, shaking, inner walls clenching. A moment later, Harry followed her over the edge; suddenly flooding her with a new, welcome warmth.

With a soft sound, she fell on his chest and lay there panting. Sweat glistened on her back and his chest, the sun trickling through the trees lighting them in a soft halo. As her eyes regained the ability to focus, with a tired, sated smile, she kissed him lazily and rolled them on their sides.

For a long moment they laid on the ground together, not speaking other than with their eyes. Harry frowned slightly as he ran a finger down a faint, slightly jagged scar that ran between her breasts, a souvenir of their mutual stupidity fifth year. "I'm sorry Mione." Harry said quietly, looking up at her.

"Me too." One corner of her lip twitched upward for a moment; leaning forward she kissed his shoulder and snuggled closer. "We should probably get up, Harry." She giggled softly, "we are naked in the middle of the day, where anyone coming along could find us.

"I can ward the area." He objected softly, even as he absently raised a hand, summoning their clothes to them. In another minute or two, they were more or less dressed, Hermione had yet to put her shoes back on, but otherwise they were good. Grabbing her hand, they rose and headed back down the path to their tree and eventually the castle. "Why did you come looking for me anyway, Mione...couldn't bear to be apart from my charms?" Harry teased softly.

Hermione rolled her eyes, Yeah right Potter...

Careful there Granger...in about twenty-four hours, you'll be one too.
Harry retorted in their thoughts, a twinkle in his eye.

What if I don't take your last name? She shot back, but as a ghost of that old damnable insecurity passed his eyes, she relented. Harry it's my fondest dream to be called Hermione Potter...you know that, buck up there. Harry shrugged, and her heart skipped, as he pulled her into his arms again and rested his cheek on hers, what's brought this on, Love?

It's just that...I umm, it keeps wanting to all crash down you know? I'm just so afraid that I'll wake up in Privet drive with Vernon standing over me, and this will all have been a dream.
He sighed without letting go of her, ever since I killed Voldie...you are all that keeps me grounded...sane...

Me too, Harry, we'll be fine.
She replied comfortingly, actually I wanted to get away from Molly, she was driving me batty...honestly; I don't give a damn about the seating arrangements. I just glad we are alive to have the thing.

Are you sure Hermione...If you want we can put this off for a bit, I mean I can afford to give you the wedding of your dreams, we don't have to turn around and do it in a week?
Harry asked watching her eyes as he pulled back a bit.

You are going to be there Harry, that's all I really need, or want. The rest is just window dressing that's there to make our family and friends happy.

Damn, I'm an idiot.
He thought suddenly, she raised an inquisitive eyebrow as several squirrels ran along the path in front of them chattering to each other in rodentia, and a deer crossed the trail behind them. There were times in the last year, I almost grabbed your hand and drug you up to Dumbledore's office and had him marry us right then...I should have Hermione.

A hand with a three jeweled ring rose and cupped his cheek softly, It doesn't matter Harry, when you come down to it, I was already your wife in my heart that night you almost asked me, your birthday remember? He nodded and kissed her tenderly in lieu of words. Anyway, Harry I got our wedding bands; I wanted to give them to you to give to Sirius to hold. With a soft smile and Harry's utter attention, she dug in the cargo pocket of her still dusty khaki shorts and held out a black velvet box. Prying it open, she revealed a pair of subtly worked platinum and gold bands sitting ready to see the light of day. I added the runes and enchantments, She grinned at him, each of the rings has a wand core, just in case. He laughed.

What would I do with out you?

Hermione shrugged, reached up and kissed his nose, Probably have failed out and became a vagrant in Diagon Alley. She leaned back against him; I wish I could stay with you tonight...I don't get it.

I don't either, but its probably easier than hearing about it from Molly, I mean I will see you tomorrow at Graduation, before the wedding anyway.
Taking her hand, they started back towards the castle and their fates. At the top of the stairs as they reached the main doors to the keep, Sirius was leaning negligently on the great doorjamb. Of the pair of armor suits next to the door, one had its helmet focused on Sirius as if it had never been told that he was no longer persona non grata at the castle after the events of third year.

"Ok Harry, say goodbye, you are coming back with me to Grimmauld place." Sirius' eyes were alight as he announced their short separation. He came up and tossed an arm around Harry's shoulders, his gray eyes laughing uproariously, "we are going to have so much fun."

"Padfoot?" Hermione said softly.

"Yes my dear?" Sirius replied grinningly.

"I am holding you personably responsible for Harry to show up on time." Hermione looked directly at him and he nodded, his face growing, serious.

"You know I'll get him there lass." Sirius replied seriously.

"I know." Hermione whispered as she rose on her toes and kissed Sirius on the cheek. Her lip in her bottom teeth, she walked backwards into the castle, waving to Harry until she was out of sight. Above them, the clock tower struck the four o'clock hour and Sirius turned to Harry.

A small smirk decorated Sirius' lips as he watched Harry watch Hermione vanish into the castle. He dropped it instantly as Harry turned back to him, "Let's go Harry, I have some things that I need to discuss with you." He held out a small box, Harry touched it with a finger and in a fall of color and a rush of sound, they were in the parlor at Grimmauld Place.

**********************12 Grimmauld Place, London**************************

"Welcome home, Harry" Lupin shouted as he came in the room, accompanied by Tonks. Lupin had his arm around the younger witch, and with a hidden smile, Harry noted an odd ring with a large center stone that changed colors randomly on Tonks' left hand. He'd have to tell Hermione.

Tonks waved to Harry. With a quick kiss for Lupin, and a shouted, "bye" she vanished with a muffled CRACK.

Almost immediately, Dobby appeared, "Harry Potter sir, Dobby is glad to sees you sir, is there anything Dobby can get for youse sir." Harry smiled and knelt next to the house elf.

"I'm fine Dobby, I can conjure something if I need it." Dobby frowned but did not argue. With a sudden realization Harry remembered something. "Dobby are you coming to the wedding tomorrow, you and Winky were invited..."

"Yes sir, Dobby would be honored to work at his Harry Potters, sirs, wedding sir. Winky toos sir." Dobby looked happy, as he bounded on the balls of his numerously sock-covered feet. Today it looked as if he had four of various colors on the left with five, equally mismatched ones on the right.

Harry chuckled, "no Dobby, I mean as a guest." He reached out and placed a hand on the tiny elf's shoulder, "You are our friend Dobby, Hermione and I would really like you to be there." A sob erupted from the elf's throat as he jumped forward and hugged him around the legs.

"Harry Potter sir is a truly a great wizard sir and his misses is a truly great witch sir...Dobby sir...Dobby sir has never been invited to a wedding, sir." Dobby's muffled voice came from below. Peeling him off, Dobby smiled as he wiped a tear from a tennis ball sized emerald eye. "We will be there sir." With another strangled sob, he vanished with a POP.

"That went well," Harry remarked and laughter erupted from Sirius and Lupin. "Where's Ron?" Harry asked suddenly, not seeing his ginger haired friend hanging about. He crossed to an empty seat on the couch and sat, running his fingers absently through his hair as he asked.

"Oh, he'll be by in a bit, the twins are doing something or other with him." Sirius said gaily, as he motioned with a bottle of butterbeer that he had conjured in the meantime. Harry nodded, a bit hesitantly for his friend, and motioned for a bottle. Sirius tossed him one and laughed. He took a drink, and glanced down for a bit. His gaze flicked over to Lupin and back to Harry, "Oh, Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry replied as he took a drink of his beer. He did not notice Sirius flaring his nostrils, or Lupin doing the same a moment later, a grin blossoming on his mug.

"Did you and Hermione enjoy the afternoon?" In an instant, the old Marauders broke up laughing, Lupin holding onto the edge of the doorway for support, as Sirius chortled and Harry glared.

*******************Gryffindor Tower, Head's Common Room****************

Back in the tower, Hermione dropped into her common room couch next to Luna, and scowled. Luna was curled up on the end of the couch, asleep, she had had a long night the night before; her powers had briefly flared up. Hermione looked across at the others in the room with an expression of annoyance. The other girls were chatting excitedly to each other, but even though this was the eve of her "happiest day" she did not feel the excitement that the others felt. Oh it was not to say that she didn't feel the excitement, for she did, but it didn't seem the same as what everyone else seemed to be feeling. There was one other who didn't seem to be enjoying the festivities, Crookshanks hopped up on her lap and purred, looking over a touch annoyedly at the females invading his happy retreat.

"It's alright, Crook." Hermione whispered to him, " We'll be away from here soon enough." Crookshanks looked up at her, with an expression that clearly expressed he didn't quite believe her. As he looked up, the door to the stairs opened, and with a small sound that sounded remarkably like a cat sized sigh Crookshanks got up and sauntered into Harry's room. Molly Weasley had just entered, trailed by at least ten floating dresses and a smiling Madame Malkin.

"There you are dear." Molly cried as she saw Hermione sitting there, "Madame Malkin just floo'ed in with the dresses. She crossed the room to Hermione and with, a humph, "Well come on, you need to try them on." Behind Molly, Ginny was standing, laughing. Wordlessly, Hermione ran the thumb of her left hand over her engagement ring, so as Ginny would see it. She shut up instantly and walked away, she still hadn't told Molly about her and Neville.

"Now, Miss Granger." Madame Malkin began, "I think that you will love this one..." Hermione's heart leapt, her eyes grew wide, as Madam Malkin flicked a wand, and without further ado, the dress that Hermione had seen herself in since she was eight appeared, floating and dancing above the floor. She nodded mutely, as a chorus of "Ohhs" rang out from the rest of the girls.

****************************Grimmauld Place*****************************

"Harry." Sirius said suddenly, looking up from the paper he was reading. Harry and Ron were playing yet another game of wizarding chess. As usual Ron was winning handily despite spotting Harry half of his pawns before the game started. Ron shrugged, looked down, moved one piece, got up and left to the kitchen to get a snack. He had checkmated Harry. Harry watched as a tiny sword flicked sideways and the miniscule head of his king tumbled away, victim to the stroke of Ron's knight.

"Bugger." Harry muttered and looked over at his godfather. "Yeah Sirius?"

"Can you spare a moment?" Sirius inquired, getting up from the couch. He crossed to the door and waited.

"Yeah, sure Sirius." Harry replied as he got up and followed the older wizard. Without explanation, Sirius led the pair of them, out the door of the parlor, and up the stairs to his room. With a small wave, Sirius ushered Harry into the room, and with a discrete flick of a wand and a murmured incantation, the door locked and sealed itself. Harry looked at him questioningly.

Sirius turned and went to his bed and sat. He looked up at Harry, and smiled. "So Harry are you ready for this?" He shrugged, "I mean, I was the best man for James as well and he was a nervous wreck." Sirius' gray eyes tracked up and down Harry, "you just seem so collected."

Harry shrugged, "Mostly practice at hiding it, I guess. I mean I was feeling it earlier this afternoon, but Mione, um, talked me out of it." Harry didn't notice the mirth in Sirius' eyes as he covered his mouth. Harry's fingers mussed his hair further as he considered the question. "Its just that...I mean, it's like" Harry trailed off, thinking. After a moment or two he sighed and sat down in a chair next to the bed. Looking blankly across the room, staring at the wall, as if he could see through it, "its like, well I know that mum and dad didn't see eye to eye until almost their sixth, seventh year..."

"You could bloody well say that again," Sirius muttered thoughtfully.

"With Hermione, I've known her almost as long as I've known I was a wizard. Almost as long as I've known Hagrid or Ron." Harry replied, still not looking at Sirius. "Somewhere inside, I've always known it was her. Oh I'm not saying that I knew I was going to marry her in first year, like Dumbledore claims he knew. Hell for the last couple of years, I didn't even really think I was going to survive, not at least until near the end. We even had pledged to go down together." Sirius nodded grimly in the background at his words, though they weren't really a revelation. Deep down he knew that one of the reasons that the magic binding him to Harry had returned him to this plane of existence was to keep that result from happening. "It's just that in those few times, between the battles and ambushes, and deaths that I dared to let myself look forward, to think I could and would survive, she was there. So basically Sirius I've had seven years to get used to the idea in one from or another." Harry's eyes flicked over to his godfather, their emerald color lit with sudden amusement, "of course the fact I've lived with her for the last six months in the same room, and the months before that in the same suite didn't hurt."

Sirius barked a laugh, "good." He smiled and stood, and walked over to where a large, battered trunk sat against the wall. The trunk looked as if it had been pulled behind a thestral for a few hundred miles. The faded red and gold colors could just barely be discerned, and the embossed lion was almost worn away. Harry knew instantly that this was probably Sirius' own trunk. Sirius opened it and took out a pair of parcels from within. Opening the first, an old worn, leather bound notebook inscribed with the name Lily Anne Evans in gold leaf was revealed. The book looked like it had rode in too many book satchels, much like what many of Hermione's favorite books looked like, come to think of it.

He handed the book to Harry. "Here Harry, you and Hermione should have this." Harry opened the notebook, and started paging through it. By virtue of his studies to learn to face Voldemort, he recognized complicated charms and transfiguration formulas, along with other Arithmatic formulas and rune sentences that Hermione would have to translate. Harry looked up at him, "You know that Lily was good at Charms right?" Harry nodded, "Those are Lily's private notes, among other things, she was looking at a way to increase the power, or the focus of a patronus, so it could actually destroy the Dementors instead of just driving them away." Harry's eyes grew wide as he looked over the notes, interested instantly. "There are other things she was working on, umm the spell that she used to save you is in there. Though I don't think she realized how it would turn out." Sirius muttered nervously, but Harry didn't mind.

"How did you come to have this?" Harry replied wonderingly.

Sirius groaned softly, "Lily let me have it, right before they went into hiding. I was supposed to destroy it, if it looked like I could be captured." He looked down at the floor, "I was supposed to take it to Dumbledore, that next day, but it just never happened. I left it in my old trunk that somehow ended up back in storage at Hogwarts; don't ask me how." Sirius turned back to the other parcel and opened it.

A glint of gold greeted them, as a very old snitch sat, not moving. Harry looked inquisitively at the snitch, "Sirius I have several of those, even one from Hermione."

"It's not a snitch, or rather it is, though it doesn't work any more. It's your Dad's; it's charmed as a portkey, to some Potter retreat somewhere. In case you ever really need to escape something, it will activate, taking you to a place that is guaranteed to be safe. He never told me where, or why they didn't use it." Sirius said, regretfully.

Harry rose, crossed to his godfather and hugged him. "Thanks Sirius, I appreciate it."

********Harry/Hermione's bedroom Grimmauld/ Head's room Hogwarts************

June 17
1:05 am.

Harry, are you asleep? A thought crossed the hundreds of miles between London and Hogwarts. Harry was sitting up in bed, looking at some notes on the words he would have to say at the Graduation, tomorrow or rather today. Hermione was sitting up, in their room at Hogwarts, a notebook propped against her legs.

No, Mione, Harry replied as he stood, looking out the window of their Grimmauld place bedroom. He walked over the window and started petting Hedwig, who had just returned from an evening out and was sitting on her golden perch in front of the window. You can't sleep either?

I'm writing my speech for tomorrow, for the Graduation...remember?
Hermione asked pointedly. She sighed and jotted down something about overcoming adversity. Crookshanks purred as he rubbed against her, she petted him to shut him up. Do you have yours written? She shot back as her quill filled in more lines about sacrifice and hope.

Yeah, I have something. Harry replied. In his room, a shaft of moonlight fell across his face. You know I have to actually concentrate to talk to you, this far away.

It's good for you.
Hermione thought, the smirk on her lips as she looked out at the same moon was detectable in London. Harry, are you nervous about tomorrow? Her fingers twirled absently in her curls as she looked at what she had written. And why is it that some wizard decided in the twelfth century that we had to spend the night before the wedding apart, anyway?

He couldn't get away with the Cruciatus?
Harry wondered. Hermione replied with a soft chuckle in his thoughts to the response. I can be there in about ten seconds if you want me. The double meaning in that thought; didn't pass either of them by. She laughed out loud in her room, so loud that a sudden, soft knock was heard at her door.

"Hermione are you alright?" Ginny asked from the Head's common room, she was staying in Hermione's room for the night, as it was open, and the surviving, graduating Ravenclaws were taking up extra space in the tower. "Harry's not in there is he?" She laughed.

"No he's not Ginerva...go to bed." Hermione yelled. She heard Ginny's giggling laugh as she retreated back to Hermione's room.

She gone?

Yeah, she is...I swear to Merlin, I'm going to work from now until her wedding to THINK of things to harass her with. She's lucky I love her arse too much to let her secret out to Molly. Why is she my maid of honor again?
Hermione asked, only slightly rhetorically.

Um...because, she's your adoptive sister, and she's the best female friend you have at Hogwarts, and because Tonks would probably change her hair color to match the bride's maid dresses, and that would be just weird. Hermione laughed again, this time careful to hold her hand over her mouth to dampen the sound. Hermione...

Yeah, Harry.

I love you.

Me, too Harry, see you in the morning.
Hermione felt a murmured agreement in her thoughts and felt him relaxing in her link. She smiled again, and set her papers aside as well, floating them towards her desk with a casual motion of her hand. Beside her, Crookshanks purred as he moved up the bed to Harry's pillow and settled in, "Thanks, Crooks, but its not the same" Hermione muttered to her familiar, who just stretched out a paw and patted her hair as she lay down next to him.

Just as her eyes closed, a soft knock echoed at the door. "Bloody hell," Hermione groaned. "What, Ginny, Harry's still in London damn it." She threw a pillow at the door, "get over it."

The door opened slowly, and a flame-colored mop of hair eased into the room. "Can we talk...sis?" Ginny asked slowly, and something in her eyes told Hermione that this wasn't about Harry's sleeping arrangements for this evening. Hermione sat up and motioned towards a chair, as she scooted up against the headboard of the bed. Crookshanks, disturbed at the late night goings on, flowed into her lap, and looked up at her demandingly. Ginny cracked a half-arsed smile; "you treat him like your kid, Hermione."

"He's a familiar Ginny...he is, more or less." Hermione replied absently as she looked over at her friend. Ginny did not meet her eyes, but looked down and away from her. Hermione sighed. "Ginny, I'm not going to use Legilimency on you." Ginny did not speak, she nodded as she looked at her hands; they were twisting in her lap. Hermione got up and went over to Ginny; she knelled in front of her and rested her hand on Ginnys'. "What's wrong Gin?" She whispered as she used her other hand to get Ginny to look her in the eye.

With a small whimper, Ginny flung her arms around Hermione, and started sobbing into her shoulder. The tiny witch shook for several minutes, before she pushed Hermione away and sat up, she started to rise.

"What's wrong Ginny?" Hermione repeated, reaching out and grabbing her arm.

"No Hermione, I can't you're getting married, you don't need my problems on your mind." Ginny said, her tone tired.

Hermione shook her head, "Ginny, you said that we were family long before I was formally adopted into the family. We help each other, no matter what." She reminded Ginny, of her own words, seemingly so long ago.

"If I tell you something," Ginny began softly, "will you not tell anyone?"

"It depends, Ginny are you planning on taking over the world? Hermione gave her a small smile. Despite herself, Ginny giggled.

"Not today anyway. Sis I meant it, can you keep a secret, from everyone? Even mum? And Ron?"

Hermione looked away for a bit, and then nodded, "Ok Ginny, if that's what you want...all except Harry." Ginny started to shake her head and leave again, "I can't keep it from him, Ginny, but he won't say anything if you don't want him too, I promise." Even as Hermione was speaking, an utterly familiar presence woke in the back of her mind, in response to the distress Harry felt in her thoughts. I'm ok Harry, I'll explain later. She shot across the ether, and felt him nod in response, dropping off again.

Ginny sighed, and looked around the room. "Really you can't tell mum, not yet...I mean Neville doesn't know, yet, but I and, and I'm afraid and I..." Ginny broke off her rambling, "I don't know what I'm going to do Hermione." Her face fell to her hands as tears once more fell.

Hermione wasn't known as the brightest witch of the age for nothing. Ginny had already given her enough clues to determine the issue. "Since when Ginny?" She said softly.

"Not long, according to Poppy."

Hermione looked at her sister, "When are you going to tell Neville?"

"Soon, I guess. I just wanted someone to know. I've seen how secrets eat you up, I will tell mum, someday. I'm afraid of what Neville will say, will he be mad at me?" She gulped, "will he leave me?"

Hermione gathered her into her arms again, she chuckled softly, "Ginny, honey I'm not dating Neville and even I know better than that...if anything, he'll want to speed up the wedding, you know that. He could never be angry with you, not over this. I believe the boy is smart enough to realize that it takes two to tango." Hermione sighed, "on the other hand, Ron and Molly, might be a bit of an issue."

"You'll help me right?" Ginny asked plaintively.

"Yeah Ginny I will, and Harry will, but you will have to tell them, you can't exactly hide it forever." Hermione replied sensibly, "and what about school, the baby will be due in what?" She paused a second to do the math in her head, "February, March?" Ginny nodded.

"I already talked to Poppy, though I guess it will depend on Neville. If he takes the job replacing Sprout, at least for the younger students, I could live with him, providing the school Governors allow it."

Hermione gave a grim smile, "oh, I think that Dumbledore would be more than willing to fight for him...In fact I can almost guarantee that they will be desperate to do as he asks. They do not want the excesses of Lucius and his other cronies that were on the board to come to light." She kissed Ginny's hair as she shook in her arms, "it will be alright Ginny."



A/N: There your go, we're on the cusp. I was going to make ya'll wait since I just put up 46 and I still don't have 49 even started...I like to keep a couple of chapters ahead, but hey...

Built by Text2Html

48. Graduation and Revelations.

A/N: I'm back
Chapter 48: Graduation and Revelations.
**************************Hogwarts*******************************

June 17
11:00 am

Despite the damage, despite the causalities of the recent battles in the never-ending war against the darkness, the Quiddich pitch at Hogwarts was crowded almost beyond belief. The graduation ceremony was often a sedate, quiet affair, at least until the end. Unfortunately as in almost every case where Harry Potter was involved, normal did not apply. As this was after all a more or less public event, Dumbledore had been forced to allow the press access to the school, or at least to the pitch, where graduation was taking place this year. Originally this had been because it was thought that the Great Hall would not be in a fit condition to host, however due to the munificent efforts of the house elves and a veritable battalion of construction wizards, the Hall was once more repaired.

No, instead a different pair of motivations colored his thoughts this day. First, the background of the damaged castle more than amply illustrated the sacrifices this generation had undertaken to save them all once more. Dumbledore had decided that there would be no pretending at this event that recent events had not occurred, as certain members of the Ministry had requested. And second, due to a late night effort by the surviving Marauders, the Weasley Clan and almost every remaining Professor, including a certain tartan-clad head of house, the Great Hall was decorated for a wedding. The press had certainly not been invited to that celebration later today, in fact of all of the wizarding papers and wireless services, only the Quibbler would have representatives. And those reporters where definitely there under the eye of their boss, who just happened to have a daughter in that very wedding. Mad-Eye Moody had already given his contribution to the celebration, with a series of wards, spells and wizarding sensors designed to detect and repel everything from extendable ears to any unknown animagus all the way to small, uninvited rodentia.

If one looked carefully there were other signs of the times. The hard-eyed men and women scattered throughout the crowd, each in civilian robes or outfits; that would occasionally brush a hand across their ear as if listening to an unseen voice. The large Dragon, slumbering peacefully on the lawn, and the occasional sweep of a broom mounted rider over the stadium. Mad-Eye paused next to a couple of watchers, had a brief word and stomped on, seemingly satisfied. There were few active agents of the Ministry left, and most of those would had lived were here today. The several clustered in the graduates helped of course, but they were understandably distracted.

None of those more so than the pair seated on the stage next to Dumbledore, Harry and Hermione's chairs were pushed together close enough to touch. Harry smiled as he glanced down and noticed Hermione's knee bouncing in her nervousness. As he placed a hand on the offending knee, she stopped and looked over at him with a grateful glance. His hand fell from it and found hers, squeezing it under the cover of their robes. The eleven-year-old girl, whom had started Hogwarts in September seven years ago, would have been shocked at the impropriety. The young woman she had become didn't give a damn. She leaned her head against his shoulder for a moment, while Arthur was giving some sort of speech; neither of them was listening really.

They watched silently as Dumbledore stood at the podium. Both could feel his presence on the air, like a comforting, warm blanket. His stature never seemed larger as he looked down at the graduates arrayed before him, and out at the spectators lining the stands. He began to speak, calmly, at a normal volume, but somehow every ear in the arena heard him. "We come together today on a day of celebration, not of sadness." He smiled down at the graduates, and glanced back at Harry and Hermione on the stage behind him. "For not only are we marking the transition of some of our best and brightest into the greater world beyond these grounds," He paused, "we are marking...nay we are celebrating the sacrifice of those who selflessly gave so much for the betterment of others. It was a very wise man who said, that one can have no greater love than to lay down his life for another." He glanced around the arena, occasionally settling an eye on certain individuals before passing on, "That man was a muggle. One can never forget that it is the differences that make us strong, not the similarities." His words seemed to reverberate off the stands, almost as if they were trying to hammer their way into certain heads.

He raised a hand, a finger extended "There are those who would have us pretend that the events of the past seven, or even the past thirty years had not happened. They are wrong. Likewise there are those who would have us pretend that with the death of Tom Riddle the danger has passed, that we may return to the days when all was well, when there was only peace and the wizarding world could take comfort in its careful isolation from the outside world. They too are wrong. There will come a time, soon, when we will look to our friends, muggle, wizard, elf and others and be grateful that they stand with us, despite all we have done to isolate ourselves." He took a breath and stepped back. "But it is not I who should speak of these things, but those who will live fully in these times." He waved at Harry and Hermione. "I believe that our Head Boy and Head Girl should address you now, who by the way will also graduate second and first in their class...Harry Potter, and Hermione Po...Granger." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled at his not quite faux pas.

Hermione gave him the tiniest of glares, before she stood on her toes and kissed the old wizard on the cheek to tumultuous applause from the graduates, even a few surviving Slytherins. Down in the front row, Ron stood, applauding, and most of the rest of the graduates followed. As he sat down, he screamed out, "get'em Harry!"

"Thanks Ron." Harry replied wryly as he replaced Dumbledore at the podium. Hermione stood next to him, and mouthed, "your time will come," at her red-haired brother. He laughed. Harry looked at her, and motioned surreptitiously towards the crowd. What's wrong don't want to speak? After all of that speech writing?

Oh, Like I'm not prepared.
Hermione shot back as she flicked a wand at the podium and a roll of parchment appeared. Another flick and it flattened itself out. She glanced down for an instant, and then with a breath looked up, "Throughout the History of the wizarding world, never has so much depended on the actions and the valor of so few, so young." She gazed around the audience; her chocolate eyes catching Harry's for just a second. "Barely one week ago, the darkness stood on the very ground I am standing on now, and demanded its due. It received it. Not through the efforts of the Ministry, in the main, but of young wizards and witches, many of whom would not even be able to perform magic outside of the school, according to rules laid down centuries ago in another time." Applause broke out from the students at her words, while in the stands the results were mixed. Tonks stood and cheered along with several others her age. Several older wizards and witches looked aghast, while the majority sat waiting for her to continue. If nothing else, her part in the battle against Voldemort had gained her that much.

But she did not continue, not directly. Harry glanced at her, and continued her words, whatever separate speeches they had planned, were lost in the moment. "And it was not only those young wizards and witches who fought valiantly that night. Others whom we as wizards have seen as beneath us fought for their lives, their freedom and for that of those they had never and will never meet. On this very field, a Lycan defeated more Death Eaters than any save Dumbledore himself. A giant and the centaurs, both species we have hunted and vilified for hundreds of years patrolled that forest," Harry waved vaguely at the trees of the Forbidden Forest, "guarding against the escape of those who fled the light. House elves risked their lives to help carry injured students to the infirmary, while the Death Eaters were still roaming this very castle, killed anything that moved." He took a breath.

Hermione dropped her hand to his and gave it a squeeze, "We as wizards and witches stand on the cusp, where will we go from here. Will we continue the practices and activities that gave rise to Voldemort," A loud hissing noise erupted from the crowd, she paid it no mind, "That ultimately gave him his power? Or will we set aside those flawed ideals, those ideas proven incorrect through hundreds of years of history?"

Harry flicked a wand; his Order of Merlin appeared spinning slowly in the air above the podium. "In the end, these are symbols of failure, that few must stand in the path of the darkness to protect the many after all other avenues have failed."

Hermione nodded, "It is our choice of where to stand. It is our choice to rectify the injustices of position and birth. It is this choice we charge this year's graduates with. It is us who will ultimately determine the course of our society. Make it a good one."

The rest of the ceremony passed quickly and peacefully. Hermione smiled and hugged McGonagall when the elder witch handed her, her diploma. McGonagall whispered something in her ear in response that caused Hermione to glance back at Harry and blush. What? He inquired.

She grinned, You'll see tonight...

Harry responded with a slight leer that only deepened her blush. Yes, my dear...we shall. He did not see her response as he turned to McGonagall, and in imitation of his soon-to-be wife, he hugged the matronly Gryffindor as well. "Thank you," Harry whispered, they both knew he wasn't referring to the diploma in the main. She nodded and turned away for an instant, wiping away tears as she did. The pair of them went back to their seats next to Dumbledore, pausing as they passed to give Hagrid a hug as well, between both of them, they more or less could reach around him. He didn't bother to hide his tears as he returned the hug, almost crushing them with its intensity.

"Its ok Hagrid," Hermione whispered, as he continued to crush them, she felt Harry draw the barest trickle of power to reinforce their bones. "Really, we'll see you." She smiled, "we can apparate across the channel just fine, you know, if you're at Maxine's and we will be teaching here too."

"I 'ow." Hagrid bawled, "but it's just that you're all grown up..."

"You were my first real friend Hagrid, I never let anything happen to that." Harry put in, though his words were somewhat muffled by the moleskin coat Hagrid had on. After another minute, McGonagall came to their rescue and pried the half-giant away. They had to get on with the graduation.

With the Head Students finally able to return to their seat, graduation resumed. The first row started up onto the stage, Neville, Seamus and Dean managed to escape mostly unscathed, but Ron did not escape without a hug from Hagrid as well, which delayed matters another ten minutes.

Finally after a half hour, the diplomas were distributed; everyone was back in their seats and Dumbledore returned to the podium. He smiled as he looked back at Harry and Hermione and turned to regard the graduates. "Ladies and Gentlemen...it is my pleasure to present this year's graduates of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A flurry of pointed hats flew to the sky at his words, and a loud cheer erupted from the graduates. A jet of silver light rushed from the Gryffindor box, where the Weasleys were congregated. All at once, a year's production of WWW WildWhizBangs erupted over the crowd. Even in the daylight the magically enhanced fireworks were perfectly visible. Bright blue Catherine wheels spun around ghostly graduates. A huge, crimson lion blossomed over the stage.

Freed, now. Ron hugged Luna as she came tearing down the aisle in front of the stage, closely followed by Fred, George, her dad, and Molly Weasley. Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and they jumped down from the stage to the ground, ignoring the stairs.

"Ok, that will be enough..." Molly growled in a tone that booked no resistance. Hermione, Luna, you two are coming with me. You'll see these two miscreants soon enough."

"Hey!" Ron objected, "I'm your son, and Harry might as well be..."

"Doesn't keep me from telling the truth dear." Molly retorted. Grabbing the hand of each of the girls in either hand, Molly pulled the mostly unresisting pair away, towards the castle. Harry and Ron stood together, watching the pair head off.

"Well, what now?" Ron asked rhetorically.

Harry shrugged, "And now we wait."

Ron nodded, "Ok, chess?" He asked, flicking his wand to conjure a set on the corner of the stage. He looked at Harry with a predatory look.

"Sure Ron, I need my ego bruised." Harry replied as he moved his piece, a pawn.

***************************Lakeside, Hogwarts*****************************

2:30 pm.

Neville and Ginny sat quietly, looking out over the lake. She was cradled in his arms and leaning back into him, like he was a large sentient chair. His back was in turn propped against the beech tree that Harry, Hermione and Ron had frequented many times in their travails at Hogwarts. She looked tiny in his arms, her hair falling forward to cover most of her face.

Neither of them had changed for the wedding yet, despite Molly's protests. In fact Neville had just un-disillusioned them after Hurricane Molly had finished passing, in her loudly stated mission to "find those bloody girls." In the background the Squid was lazily waving its tentacles above the water. It had already surfaced once and gazed at them with its huge eye, just curious, not hungry. It had been rather sated recently after the Dragon diet of last week.

Ginny squirmed, groaning to herself. She had been fine all this morning after her late night, or early morning, rather, chat with Hermione, but now the thoughts were resurfacing. She didn't want to, not really, not today, but in the end she thought Neville needed to know the truth. "Neville..." She paused. Neville startled at her tone, but motioned for her to continue. "I need to tell you something."

"What?"

She gulped audibly. She dropped her eyes to the ground, and stared at a point between her slightly splayed legs. Ginny's hands came together in her lap; she started playing with her ring absently, almost as if she needed to confirm it was still there. "Neville I went to go see Poppy the other day..."

"Are you sick, Gin, I can..." Neville asked quickly. He was always helpful.

"Not exactly Neville." Silence fell, suddenly. Ginny looked around the area, hoping that someone would come along and relieve her of the need to say what she needed to say. Her heart started beating heavily, and her breath grew short. "Neville, whatever...its ok, I know that it's a lot to ask, especially for someone just out of school. I mean..."

Neville smiled crookedly, "Ginny, honey, what exactly are you trying to say?" He rubbed his hands up and down her arms. She shivered as his fingers trailed up and down. A soft purr came from her throat; then with a sudden shake of her head, she reminded herself what she had been trying to say.

"Neville, I'm pregnant." Ginny whispered. A hiss of breath escaped Neville's throat, his fingers kept moving as he looked out over the lake, not speaking for a long while. "Neville..." Ginny asked hesitantly. He still did not speak. His eyes were unfocused, as thoughts about what exactly this meant raced through his mind.

Ginny's heart raced faster, as she started to imagine terrible fates. Of Neville cursing and walking away, of him denying that it could be his, and most terribly of him saying nothing at all. Instead, he just nodded. "Ok, I guess we will have to move the wedding up." He shrugged.

"Aren't you mad?" She asked in a tiny voice.

"Not really...Its half my fault anyway." She turned back to look, he smiled at her encouragingly. She smiled, and with a breath, tears started to fall. Without a word, Neville pulled her into his chest. His chin resting on the crown of her head, he sighed. "I guess it's good I already have a job lined up."

Interspaced with her muffled sobs, Ginny chuckled. He smiled absently over the top of her head. "I love you Neville." Ginny whispered; the words almost lost in the folds of his shirt.

"You too, squirt." Neville replied softly as Ginny extracted herself and spun back around, resuming their posture from before. The pair of them sat there, like that, not speaking, not even moving much until with a sudden realization, they noticed Hermione standing on the lakeshore a bit away. The bride to be was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, her hair was pulled back to fall in soft waves over her back, so she had obviously started to get ready. Ginny was a touch amazed that her Mum hadn't tracked her down yet. Or herself for that matter as Ginny was Hermione's maid of honor. However as was the case with all things Molly, when she could control a situation, she did so utterly. Many of the duties that would have fallen to Ginny, Molly had taken on, and everyone had wisely let her. Hermione was her daughter in all the ways that mattered now; she had been even before the papers were signed at the Ministry.

Ginny and Neville watched, still a touch amazed, as Hermione absently transfigured a small rock on the side of lake back and forth between its native form and a small cat. Not that that was really amazing, it was Hermione after all, but the fact that her wand was tucked in her back pocket. Of course they hadn't heard her approach, at this point, and after two years of constant training it was probably harder to make noise when she walked than not. She obviously hadn't seen them; she was talking to the air. Neville made a small noise and she jumped.

"Oh..." Hermione said a touch sheepishly, "I didn't see you guys there." She smiled as she approached, and knelt down.

"And why aren't you getting ready Mrs. Potter." Neville asked humorously. "And just who were you talking to there?"

She sighed, and stood from her crouch, she looked away over the lake, "Mum and dad." She said with no touch of embarrassment. Neville and Ginny glanced at each other and shared a look. Hermione didn't notice, she still was watching the placid waters of the loch, "And I'm hiding from Molly, kind of like Ginny here."

"But I'm not getting married, sis." Ginny shot back, her eyes grinning now.

"Not today, anyway." Hermione agreed as she turned back to them, then with sudden insight she added, "or are you? Did you?" She asked Ginny.

"Yeah he knows, Hermione." Ginny replied.

"Are you ok with this, Neville?" Hermione asked her friend softly. He nodded. "I kept my word Ginny, only Harry knows...he won't tell Ron, though he did tell me to tell you that you should as soon as possible."

Ginny smiled slightly, "I will sis." She waved at the two of them, and pulled a small camera from the pocket of the shorts she had on. "Can you take a picture of us Hermione, I want to remember this." Hermione nodded and stepped back, and snapped the shot, the two of them had resumed their pose under the tree. Ginny looking tiny in his arms as the two of them looked out towards the distant mountains.

Hermione finally muttered something and headed off towards the castle. She pulled Ginny from Neville as she went, with the accompaniment of a small protest from the miniscule witch. He just laughed and rose himself, he figured that he might as well go find Harry and Ron. They at least might still be free, though with Molly on the warpath nothing was assured. On the way into the castle, he passed Fred and George, muttering to each other furiously. They were up to something. Of course.



A/N: Next Guess what? Yeah the Wedding, even I can't put it off much longer.

Built by Text2Html

49. Four Become Two

I still own nothing really. Sorry its been a bit, RL sucks sometimes. And now, without further adu, back to the show.
Chapter 49: Four Become Two

****************************Hogwarts, Great Hall*************************

The Great Hall was decorated beyond that which anyone here had ever seen it before. The enchanted ceiling, ever showing a magical sky, was showing a bright, happy sun. Whole squadrons of doves flitted about the rafters, where they competed with more than one owl familiar. The normal, house tables had been removed, in their place, rows and rows of pews stretched to the back of the long hall. Half of which were already occupied. Fred, George, Seamus and Dean were acting as users, each of them leading the many, many guests that had shown up to this occasion. At least half of the guests that had already arrived were young, still in school or just out of it. There was no real bride or groom's side...that would have been really complicated to figure out.

Molly Weasley was standing near the stage, directing the ushers, several paid house elves and Arthur, like a general directing her troops. The stage was decorated in white, little fairy lights danced above a faintly glowing arch that had appeared from somewhere. Crimson and gold roses were woven into the arch, while at the very top, a spray of lilies hung down. Above the stage, and indeed above the pews as well, the Gryffindor House flag hung, appropriate, now even more so than at the end of year feast when Gryffindor had won the house cup once again. Those celebrated here tonight had won much more than a mere gold cup.

In the second row, on the right, Tonks sat, chatting amicably to Pavarti, Padma and Lavender who where seated a couple of rows behind her. The girls were dressed and ready for their parts in the wedding, Tonks had come in to talk to Molly for a moment and had ended up talking to Padma about her own pending nuptials. Glowing slightly, she was showing them the ring that Lupin had given her only days before. The old wolf had been inspired. It was slowly shifting colors as they watched, a suitable ring for one of her unique talents. Seated silently next to Padma, was the somewhat shocking guest that had arrived on her arm. Draco Malfoy sat quietly, looking around at the decorations. He sighed occasionally, as he realized that he would probably be related to all these people soon...he knew of the old relation of the Weasleys to the Blacks. Next to Tonks, trying to ignore her, Alastor Moody sat. He was in full mess dress uniform. It was probably only the second or third time in many, many years that he had worn the full dress uniform. His vast collection of medals was slightly daunting against the midnight blue of his uniform, almost more so than the rapidly spinning, electric blue eye that regarded each guest in turn, even though it would be suicidal for any to attempt to disrupt tonight's festivities.

He was joined in turn by Minerva McGonagall. The matronly witch was smiling softly as she looked up at the stage. Her eyes were already wet as she answered some question from her former students. Next to her, Professor Flitwick sat on a tall pile of cushions, so he could see over the seats. A row back from them, Petunia sat with Dudley. She was not talking much, and Dudley knew to be quiet. They were both dressed well, Dudley in a very large set of dark blue dress robes, she in a matching dress. Like everyone else including a certain pair of house elves and the various members of the Weasley clan, they were waiting for the show to begin. The remainder of the Hogwarts staff was scattered throughout the crowd, Professor Vector occupying the pews next to a handsome, older wizard that had taken off an old battered fedora as he sat and placed it under the bench. The pair suddenly flew upwards as the end of the pew they were sitting on shot skyward. The older wizard, snapped out a wand with the speed that comes from long experience, and flicked a levitation charm at himself and Amanda Vector.

"Thanks Henry" Vector smiled at him. He motioned with a pair of fingers as if tipping the hat that was still on the ground.

"No problem Ma'am" Jones replied as he settled them to the ground, and waited for her to regain her seat before taking his seat next to her once more.

"'Orry." Hagrid murmured apologetically, though his murmur was about as loud as a normal person talking. Maxine had a rather pretty blush as she muttered an apology. Jones and Vector waved off their apologies. In the rows behind them, Professors Sprout, Glyph and Sinestra sat talking quietly among themselves.

With a glance at her watch, Tonks suddenly gasped and pulled Pavarti and Lavender with her down the length of the aisle and out the doors.

In the anteroom behind the stage, all was not so peaceful. Harry watched as Ron was pacing fitfully back and forth, his complexion slightly green. Which, while a pleasing combination with his hair for Christmas, wasn't the best for today's events. Joining Harry in watching him, Lupin, Sirius and Neville, who would be standing up with them, were variously lounging about, each carefully standing so as not to mangle their dress robes, or in Harry, Ron and Lupin's case, their dress midnights. It had been decided that they would go ahead and wear them, as they were publicly on the roles as inactive reserve officers anyway. And besides, the golden shield of the Order of Merlin was a pretty decoration at Harry and Ron's throats. As this was the full dress, the Sword of Gryffindor hung at his left, his wand was hanging in a sheath on his right. Ron was dressed similarly with the exception that the falchion he had captured in the battle in the hall now hung at his side. Both were polished within an inch of there existences.

"Come on Ron." Harry said as Ron passed once more. He grinned, "Honestly...its not that bad." Behind Harry, Sirius and Lupin tried not to chuckle.

Ron glared at him, "Don't you start channeling Hermione, Harry." He spun to Lupin, "And just you wait Moony, your time will come soon enough, I saw Tonks with that ring." He started pacing again, his color slightly better.

Harry rolled his eyes and glanced at the others in the room. "Can you give us a second guys?" Neville nodded and lead the others out, instantly reinforcing Harry's opinion of the young man. I just hope he and Ginny will be ok...I'll honor Mione's promise, of course, and help them anyway we can...Harry put that line of thought out of his mind as he turned to his best friend. "Really Ron, what's wrong."

"Blimey Harry, why aren't you nervous?" Ron asked instead. He shook his head before Harry could answer however. "Never mind...It's just Hermione..."

"And it's just Luna." Harry retorted. "I think you know her Ron..." He grinned; "this was your idea. You asked her remember?"

"I was there." Ron muttered, trying to hide a grin. He looked over at Harry. "Let's do this." Harry nodded and the two shared a hug. A soft knock echoed at the door and as they stepped back and turned to the door, Neville stuck his head back in.

"You're on."

***************************Brides' Waiting Chambers**********************

In the Brides' chambers, also known most days as the main Transfiguration classroom, a mirror to the events taking place in the Grooms' chamber was taking place. Ginny watched, transfixed like a muggle at a tennis match, as Hermione paced back and forth, annoying enough in its repetition that Ginny, for one brief moment, thought about trying to petrify her. Only a couple of quite valid objections flashed through her mind as her hand eased, totally of its own accord, towards her hidden wand. First was that she probably couldn't pull it off, and second...Hermione was still keeping her secrets. Her hand stopped and rested in her lap.

In marked contrast to Hermione and her sudden case of nerves, Luna was sitting easily on a large, soft couch, her eyes looking half asleep. Of course, the known fact that Luna could probably sleep through a Death Eater attack, and most likely considered a class five tornado a minor inconvenience, if she even bothered to notice it, might have some clue to the matter. She looked up, vaguely, at Hermione and smiled. "Hermione what's wrong?"

"I don't bloody well know." The brunette snapped back, her eyes tracking towards Luna. "I'm just....I mean...I...bloody hell." Hermione sighed as she stopped and rested a hand on the wall. "I'm a bundle of nerves right now. And I don't know why...it's just Harry after all."

"Oh listen to her, Lav." Pavarti said brightly as she, Tonks and Lavender entered the room. "It's just Harry..." she grinned, "She's the only on this entire planet that gets him and she goes...it's just Harry." Lavender laughed, as the bride to be saluted Pavarti, rudely.

But after another moment, she laughed as well. Taking a deep breath she gathered herself, and sat next to Luna. The remainder of the girls still stood, looking down at them expectantly. Hermione glanced up, "how's it looking out there?"

Tonks shrugged, "oh about half of wizarding England is here. And the other half is split between those too afraid to show and those that didn't get the invitation in time." After considering the matter a little further, "Hermione you can come to my and Wolfie's wedding, but we're going to Vegas or somewhere. Molly is not getting within a thousand miles of mine."

"Ohh thanks." Hermione replied snarkishly, as the rest, except Luna, giggled at her expense. "You shut up Ginny, just wait until mum gets around to yours, she got distracted with two at once, here. Just think of what she can come up with only one wedding." Ginny suddenly looked slightly pale at the prospect, as Luna nodded at Hermione's words.

"At least Daddy was able to be the only paper represented here." Luna put in airily, as everyone turned to look at her. She in turn looked at the wall, and a small grin blossomed on her lips. "Its time. The boys are out there." She bounced to her feet just as a soft knock echoed at the door. A moment later, Arthur Weasley stuck his head in the room, followed closely by Jack Lovegood.

"Ready girls?" He asked, holding out his arm for Hermione as Jack did the same for his daughter. Hermione took it as she took a breath.

"Let's go."

****************************Hogwarts, Great Hall**************************

With a suddenly, rapidly beating heart, Harry forgot all about the advice he had just given Ron and froze. Ron grinned at him as he took an elbow and started Harry towards the door. Jolted into movement, the pack of them exited the antechamber into the Great Hall.

As they entered the hall from the side, it was instantly apparent that the hall was packed. While this was, more or less, originally a small private ceremony, in many ways this was a wedding of wizarding royalty. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley each were literally household names in the wizarding world. Harry, of course, had been so even before the defeat of Voldemort. Hermione and Ron, while not at his level of fame, at that time, were now almost equal to him in recognition.

If that was the only reason that none of the Ministry officials that had been pro forma invited, along with as many of the Hogwarts students and recent alums that could rangle invitations, were present, it would be enough, but there were older, more binding reasons as well. Only vaguely recognized by Ron, and totally unrealized by Harry or Hermione, both the Weasleys and the Potters were old, old wizarding lines. The Lovegoods only somewhat less so. There were ancient alliances and other treaties to take into account. And even beyond that, and the individual fame and worth of the four, Arthur was Minister of Magic after all, and two of the ones getting married where his. In the end, the quartet's small, peaceful wedding had turned, mostly through Molly's instantly huge guest list into an Event, with a capital E. One would almost think that she had already had the lists ready to go, just in case. Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna's quick, handwritten invitations that had gone out Wednesday had multiplied several times over by Thursday when Molly had gotten involved. Only in the Wizarding world could such a turn around happen.

Fortunately for their peace of mind, most of the superfluous guests would probably leave the reception early. Harry and Ron's little band settled in at the head of the room. It had been a little confusing where everyone would stand, it being a double wedding and all, and exactly who would be the best man and maid of honor for each couple, as the obvious choices for the posts, were the ones getting married next to them. In the end, the four of them had rounded out the sextet and added the remainder of the Marauders, with the exception of the twins, and Hermione's old roommates. The final distribution ended up with Ginny acting as maid of honor for Hermione and Tonks for Luna, with Lavender and Pavarti rounding out the side. Tonks had been "convinced" that she should be more or less natural on her hair color choice by Molly, so she had gone with her natural black today. On the other side of the aisle, discounting there was no particular "side" in this particular joining, Neville had ended up being the best man for Ron, with Sirius as Harry's. Remus and Bill completed the rest of the group.

Dumbledore appeared from a side room, resplendent in midnight blue robes, not coincidentally matching the dress uniforms of Harry, Ron, Alastor and Remus. The robes were his official ones as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, though like Mad-Eye, he never wore them. Of course if there was a time to change that streak it was today. In his left hand, he held a very old and worn leather book. In his right, he loosely held his wand. If the twinkle in his eye could be compared to that on a normal day, it would compare about like the noonday sun to a candle. He smiled at Harry, his eyes twinkling all the while as he took his place at the front of the room. He turned to Ron, visibly biting back a chuckle. "Shall we?" He asked quietly. Harry met his eyes and nodded, Dumbledore turned to the audience and without so much as a gesture; the room fell silent. He made the tiniest of flicks with his wand, and sudden, haunting music echoed in the hall as the huge doors to the Great Hall whispered open.

Lavender and Pavarti appeared; each dressed identically in a dark blue dress, which bared their shoulders. Flowers were in the girls' hair; a crimson rose behind Pavarti's ear, a white one behind Lavender's. The girls flowed down the aisle, each peeling off to stand to one side. Lavender to stand next to Bill who was near Ron and Pavarti to stand next to Remus who was keeping Sirius company next to Harry.

A slight rustling sound was heard in the crowd and several flashbulbs popped as Ginny and Tonks emerged next, the doors easing shut behind them. The pair walked slowly down the aisle, almost as if they were practicing for their own upcoming nuptials. Perhaps they were. Finally as they reached the end of the hall, the pair peeled off to go stand by Sirius and Neville, but not before each of them paused to kiss Harry or Ron on the cheek. The music faded to silence.

"Thanks Gin." Harry muttered out of the side of his mouth. She nodded knowingly. Her ring was displayed prominently on her hand, as she took Sirius' hand as he guided her to her place next to him. From the direction of the front pews, where the families sat, the five animagi and one werewolf could all hear something that sounded a great deal like a hushed, "another one?"

The doors opened again and music rang out once more. A vast rustling was heard as the entire crowd surged to their feet and turned towards the doors. Out of the dim hallway, Luna appeared on the arm of a dark haired man bearing her features. A wreath of lilies crowned her head as she slowly marched down the aisle in the company of her father. An almost constant crackle of flashbulbs lit the hall as she looked up, and her eyes finally met Ron's. Her eyes filled with tears as she smiled softly at him, her attention fully and totally in the here and now. After a long couple of minutes, she arrived at the end of the aisle. She and her father stepped to the side of the aisle and she gazed up at Ron as they waited.

Harry smiled over at her, catching his eye, she grinned back and gestured with her head back towards the door. Harry's head snapped to it just as a thought crossed the ether to him. Ready Harry?

For about seven years now.
Harry replied instantly. A sudden murmuring was heard once more, and if anything the number of flashbulbs doubled as Hermione stepped into the aisle, her arm intertwined with Arthur's. Across the almost two hundred yard length of the hall, their eyes met, and the tiniest flicker crossed their eyes. Or maybe it was just the reflection of the blue sky of the ceiling in their wet eyes. Merlin...you look beautiful. Harry whispered in his thoughts. She smiled in response, not trusting words even in her thoughts right now.

Like Luna, a wreath of white lilies crowned her head, like the tiara of some emperess. Her hair fell down her back in small ringlets. A flowing, white dress bared her shoulders, while a short train followed along behind. The dress had been one she had seen years ago, when she was still in primary school, and she had told her mum that was the one she was to be wed in. Whether or not Jane Granger had believed the eight-year-old Hermione, her prediction had come true. Her bottom lip quivered just the tiniest bit, probably only Harry knew her well enough to actually detect it as she looked up at him. Thanks Harry. She managed, finally, as she and Arthur reached the end of the aisle.

Dumbledore waved once more, the music fell silent as the great doors swung shut with nary a sound. He turned to the crowd and without raising his voice, or using Sonorus, every ear could hear him as clearly as if he were whispering in their ear. "Dear Friends," He scanned around the room, "we are gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley and Luna Lovegood in the bonds of matrimony." He turned and looked at Luna and her father. "Who gives this woman away?"

Jack smiled and gave a little bowing nod as he and Luna approached Dumbledore. "I, Jack Lovegood and the spirit of her mother, Annette, give her away." Dumbledore extended a long-fingered hand. She kissed her dad on the cheek and took Dumbledore's hand. He smiled down at her as he handed her off to Ron. Tonks almost had to scramble to catch the bouquet Luna had held in her hands as she passed it to Tonks in her hurry to grab Ron's hands. Small chuckles came from the front row as Ron took her hands in his, more or less steadily and squeezed them reassuringly.

Dumbledore turned to Hermione and Arthur. "And who gives this woman away?" His eyes twinkled.

"I, Arthur Weasley and Molly Weasley give her away, in lieu of her birth parents Roger and Jane." Dumbledore extended a hand to her; she turned and hugged Arthur hard enough to make him cough as she too kissed her escort on the cheek. She took Dumbledore's hand, and with only a tiny bit more decorum than Luna, she actually handed the bouquet to Ginny; she took Harry's hands.

As soon as their hands met, their nervousness flowed away, leaving a crystalline clarity behind. The room suddenly was brighter, the sounds louder and more crisp. In the brightly lit hall, it was almost impossible to tell that Hermione's ring was glowing, pulsing in time with their hearts, which had naturally set into the same beat as they met. I am so glad to see you again. Harry whispered and Hermione barely bit back a giggle.

You too.

Dumbledore looked at them tolerantly as if waiting for them to finish, even though none could hear their conversation. More flashbulbs snapped as Dumbledore looked out over the crowd once more. He raised a hand, a finger extended, "In life there are many reasons to celebrate. The accomplishment of a friend, the end of an arduous trial, but perhaps none so much as what we are here to celebrate today." He opened his arms as if to encompass them all, before closing them again. "Today we are here to celebrate the joining of two pairs of souls. I have witnessed these four since the day they came into this school." Not so subdued laughs came in response from the direction of the Professors at that comment, he grinned at them and even Hermione cracked a crooked smile. "And in all of my years I have seen few that that have shared a closer bond, first as friends and later...as so much more.

Tears slid down Hermione's cheek as Harry squeezed her hands. Behind her, Luna gave Ron a small smile as his thumb ran absently over her fingers. Dumbledore looked at each couple before continuing. "It is for this purpose that so many of us are delaying our end of term celebrations." The crowd exploded with laughter, or at least those students, Professors and alumni of Hogwarts present. Harry laughed. "For this sacrifice, dear friends, I am extremely grateful."

"In the old tradition, as our couples have chosen today, marriage is a sacred vow, breakable only at great cost to the participants. It may not be torn asunder, except under the most dire of circumstances. We are here to witness the bonding of the powers, hearts and very lives of these two couples." He raised his eyes to the crowd, "it is for this reason that I must ask if any present today can bear witness as to why these two couples should not pursue this course. Speak now or forever be silent." A ringing quiet answered his words, the only sounds the soft rustling of clothes or the wings of doves and owls in the rafters. He waited a beat and then two. "Very well then." He turned to Ron and Luna. "You may begin."

Ron gave the barest of nods as he stared into Luna's eyes. Blue meeting blue, "Luna, we first met as mere children playing outside of town. We drifted apart until destiny flung us back together as we should have always been. I was missing a part of my heart and did not know it, until I saw you smile at me. I am nothing without your light in my soul, a lost animal in the wilderness. I am honored that you chose to live your life with me in my heart and my home. With all my heart I wish to take you as my wife, for now and ever." Soft sobs came from the direction of the Weasleys and even, maybe, from McGonagall.

Luna hated decorum anyway. She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek to a smattering of applause. She stood back on her heels, her hands crushing his, "Ronald, you have been my knight, my protector, my confidant and the owner of my very heart since my eyes first saw you. I wish nothing more than to be that light in your soul. My fondest wish is to take you as my husband for now and forever. Merlin himself will not tear me from your side, my love."

Dumbledore nodded knowingly, he turned and looked at Harry and Hermione, "you may begin."

Harry looked at her as echoes of the last seven years slammed through his thoughts and hers. Images of them laughing in the rain, her hugging him at the Potions puzzle before he faced Voldemort in his first year and her crushing hug as she first saw him that terrible fifth year. Of the fire in her eyes as their lips first met in the aftermath of the Battle of Hogsmeade and of the darkness in them as she looked at him in the troughs of passion. Of quiet evenings cuddled together on the common room couch and of the crash of spellfire as she stood at his back in the maelstrom. Of her arms holding him as he finally broke after Sirius seemingly died and of his holding her through the dark nights in September. For a long moment he could say nothing, then all at once it erupted forth.

The room shrank to just the two of them as they leaned together, until their foreheads touched. Chocolate eyes met his jade ones. Only Dumbledore's voice projection charm carried their words to the rest of the hall as Harry began. "Hermione...when I saw you come into my compartment seven years ago, even then I knew something special had just happened to me. I was just too daft to see it." Muted laughter spread around the hall.

"In you I learned the meaning of friendship, of family, of love. In your eyes I found the courage to go on and the joy to live again. I owe you more than I can ever repay, but I wish to spend eternity trying. Hermione Jane you have possessed the key to my heart for longer than I knew there was a lock. My powers, my life, honor and my very soul are yours to command. In all of my life there is nothing I have wanted more than to take you as my wife for now and for always, in the dark times as well as in the light. I love you Mione." Harry's voice cracked slightly on his last words. Hermione leaned forward and kissed his lips softly before pulling back.

She looked into his eyes in turn, no one in the hall existing except him as a collage of memories found their way to her mind's eye. Of that scene as she burst in on a pair of gangly eleven year old wizards, one with hair of flame, one of jet, as the redhead tried to color his rat yellow, and she demanded if they had seen a toad. Of the brilliantly green pair of eyes as they met hers and the sudden hammering in her chest as an unbreakable bond was formed. Of the night their eyes had met across a crowded dance floor, each there with someone else, and of a later night spent at another ball whiling away the time before stepping into the fire. Of her falling into his arms as she and her parents escaped a Christmas trap. Of the pair of them standing back to back in the Chamber, ready to die together, if only it would save the world, and the feeling as they woke in each others' arms the next day. Of a fight that would remain a Hogwarts legend for years and of the look of love in his eyes as they snuck off to go make out in some isolated cul-de-sac. "Harry, you have given my life meaning long before I knew what that meaning was. You wiped my tears and held my hand, when no one else would stand with me. You made me a better person, with your friendship and your love. You say you were daft, I was worse...I'm the smart one..." Additional laughter rang out, with perhaps the most from the red head next to them.

"Harry, you do not have to ask for my heart, or my soul...they are already yours and they have been for a very long time. I learned the true role of family in your arms and the power of love in your heart. There has been no time in the past seven years that you were far from my thoughts, or my heart. I wish for nothing more than to take you as my husband, to stand with you in the darkness as well as the light. I love you too, Harry." She added the last in a whisper as Harry's arms wrapped around her.

"Uh-hem" Dumbledore coughed; they instantly separated and looked at him guiltily. "They never followed the rules here either." He said as to the air, more laughs came from the staff. He looked at Ron and Luna once more. "Take the ring Neville is holding, and repeat after me Ronald." He paused, "Luna Melanie Lovegood, with this ring, I thee wed."

Taking the ring, Ron slid it on her waiting finger as he said clearly, if softly, "Luna Melanie Lovegood, with this ring, I thee wed."

She grinned as Dumbledore looked at her, "Ronald Bilius Weasley, with this ring I thee wed."

Luna's hands were steady as she took the ring Tonks was offering and slid it onto Ron's finger. A sudden rush of fire raced down their nerves, and their eyes flashed with a quick golden light before setting back to blue, though only the people on the stage with them saw it.

Dumbledore looked at Harry, who was hanging on his every word. Dumbledore smiled, and motioned to Sirius. Gray eyes danced as Sirius mimed digging in his pocket, until he stopped, raised one finger, and passed one hand over the other, a platinum and gold ring resting in his palm in its wake. "Harry take the ring that Sirius has been so kind to find for us and repeat after me...Hermione Jane Granger, with this ring, I thee wed."

"Funny Sirius," Harry muttered under his breath, the animagus just smiled. Harry took the ring and turned to back to Hermione. His eyes never left hers as he cradled her left hand with one hand, while the other slid the band onto her finger and nestled it up against her other ring. "Hermione Jane Granger, with this ring, I thee wed." She smiled almost shyly at him as he completed his line.

Dumbledore just waved silently at Hermione and motioned toward Harry. She bit her bottom lip nervously as she turned to her sister. Unlike Sirius, Ginny was serious. She extended her hand, palm upward towards Hermione. Hermione gave her a tiny nod as she plucked the ring from Ginny's hand and turned back to Harry. Her fingers felt warm as they danced on his to slide a matching band onto his finger. "Harry James Potter...with this ring, I thee wed." A sapphire flare of light danced in their eyes as a sudden, strong breeze swept through the rafters, sending the doves and owls perched there into flight.

Dumbledore bit back a grin as he ignored the accidental magic, at least they didn't set the stage on fire like I did...He chuckled to himself as the quartet looked to him, "In all of my years, there are few words I have ever enjoyed uttering as much as these...by the power vested in me as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot and as Headmaster of Hogwarts, I pronounce you husbands and wives..." He looked at Harry, "you may kiss the bride." Harry and Hermione were already moving towards each other at the "you." Her arms snaked around his neck, fingers twining in his hair as they leaned in. The rest of the room faded away for them again as their lips met hungrily.

Behind them, Luna jumped into Ron's arms. He dropped his lips to hers for a long moment, before breaking the kiss with a laugh and spinning her around and around.

"It is my greatest honor, and my deepest privilege to present to all of you, Harry and Hermione Potter and Ronald and Luna Weasley." Dumbledore was barely able to complete his words as a sudden, thundering ovation echoed in the hall, and hundreds rose to their feet.

***************************Great Hall, Hogwarts***************************

8:35 pm

A great echoing clatter died away as Harry finished kissing Hermione to the demands of the rather insistent tapping on wineglasses with a hundred spoons. The decorations for the Great Hall for the wedding had taken the Weasleys, Lovegoods and McGonagall several hours to erect. In fifteen seconds, after everyone had dutifully filled out of the hall for the reception Albus Dumbledore had reminded them, as if they needed it, just how great a wizard he truly was. He had walked to the door of the hall, the last person out, spun on his heel, snapped his long fingers, and the hall had instantly and totally reset itself into a vast banquet hall. Pews had morphed into already set, intimate round tables; a dance floor had cleared itself at one end, and at the far end, the stage where the teachers normally sat, had changed back into a long table. Dumbledore had moved his tall, throne like chair to the far end tonight however.

She grinned into his lips as she drew back. Looking out over the crowd, she motioned Harry's gaze towards the Weasley family table with a slight mental nudge. Just when did that happen? She asked laughingly as Harry saw a noticeably pregnant Fleur sitting on Bill's lap. Harry just shrugged as she dropped her head to his shoulder, with a concealed yawn.

Tired Mione? Harry whispered, and she knew him well enough to know he was the same. She nodded on his shoulder, and shrugged herself; they both knew they would be there for a while.

At the back of the room, Fred and George were standing together, whispering behind their hands. Back at the front of the room, Lupin and Sirius leaned together and Sirius surreptitiously pointed at them. "Well Moony, looks like the younger generation didn't listen to Bookworm." His eyes flicked sideways for the briefest of instants to Harry and Hermione cuddled together at the center of the long table next to Ron and Luna. They both watched as the twins intently watched the cake being wheeled into the room by Dobby and Winky. The elves weren't supposed to be working, but somehow the pair had convinced the other house elves to let them help. Harry and Hermione hadn't said a thing; it seemed to make them happy.

"Oooh no, they didn't." Lupin hissed back. "We never went that far." He reflected for a moment. "Ok maybe we did plenty of times but that was to Snape." He started to get up but stopped at a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"No wait." Sirius muttered. "Watch." At his words the pair watched as Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna stood and walked to the cake. They watched Hermione laugh at something Ron had leaned over and muttered to her. They witnessed as Harry picked up a large silver knife to cut the cake, but suddenly stiffen, almost imperceptivity. Only by dint of the Marauders relative closeness to the group could they notice the slight pause as Hermione gave Harry the tiniest of glances. And definitely no one, not at the head table would have seen the covert flick of her fingers at the cake. She grinned suddenly and kissed Harry on the cheek. The animagi and the werewolf watched as Harry carefully fed Hermione a slice of cake, with absolutely no untoward effect other than a small bit of frosting on her nose, which Harry gently wiped away. They both glanced towards the rear of the Hall, where the twins were rapidly heading towards their seats next to Angelina and Alicia, not quite hiding the disappointed expressions on their faces. Sirius chuckled softly and Lupin grinned.

"Well my friend it looks as if they've gotten through it." Sirus' words were thoughtful, and almost tinged with a touch of regret. He frowned slightly. "I can't help but feel they don't need me anymore." He confided in his friend.

Lupin laughed. "You sound so pitiful Padfoot...." He waved towards the twins and then at the Potters. "Remember, we talked about this and this just shows our new calling, we have to train the next generation...we can't have such pitiful performances attached to our sacred name." They both laughed at that. "Though Harry and Hermione did get Dumbledore last year."

"Yeah there was that."

They observed as the Brides and Grooms served the cake to the wedding guests. As they amusedly watched as the Weasleys came up as a group, and each took a slice, Molly taking the time to hug each, neither failed to notice the odd looks on the faces of the twins. The group sat down at their table, the twins oddly enough refusing to eat any of the cake until everyone else at the table, including their dates had already finished theirs. With a shared shrug, they bit in. POP. A pair of six foot, yellow chickens suddenly sat at the table, each spouting an odd series of disbelieving clucks from their beaks. In an instant, Colin Creevy appeared at the table and snapped a photo. Only to be in flight just as quickly as the chickens started chasing him down the length of the hall, to the escort of guffaws from the crowd.





A/N: Ok there it was, I hope it lived up to ya'lls expectations. I blame the timeframe on this chapter on Gred and Forge...its their fault. I fully expect that there is only one more chapter, a bit of wrap up, and oh yeah Ron finds out about Ginny. Then we will see about starting on HP and the War of Shadows.

Built by Text2Html

50. Epilogue

A/N Here it is, the last chapter. At least for this book. :)
Chapter 50: Epilogue

***********************The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole*********************

June 19, 2006
3:35 PM

With a hesitant sigh, Ginny poked her head into the slightly decrepit, but eminently comfortable living room of the house she had grown up in. She found, as she had half expected and totally dreaded, Ron, half asleep on the couch, with Luna lounging lazily next to him. Her back was to his shoulder, her legs dangling over one end of the couch as she worked on a crossword in the Quibbler, upside down and backwards. Occasionally Ron would mutter something and Luna would respond, though the responses probably would not make sense to anyone else on the planet.

Today, Ginny, Ron and Luna were alone in the house. Molly having found out she was going to finally be a grandmother...Bill and Fleur's that was, had taken the half-veela out shopping for baby clothes. All the while ignoring Fleur's half-hearted protests that the baby wasn't due for months and they had plenty of time. Arthur was working, Charlie was back with his dragons in Romania and Fred and George were supervising the reconstruction of their Diagon Alley shop. For their part, Harry and Hermione were at Grimmauld place. Which, depending on who was describing it, had already picked up the monikers of Gryffindor south and Auror headquarters. Either was substantially correct.

Originally Ron and Luna had come over from Grimmauld for the afternoon to talk to Molly about some trivial matter, but finding her gone, and no food cooked, Ron decided to take a nap and wait. Which he proceeded to do. With a soft sound, Ginny cleared her throat and moved fully into the room. Shaken awake by Luna, Ron looked up curiously at the odd expression dancing in her eyes and yawned. "Oi, Gin, what's up?" He muttered, having thought he was alone in the house with his wife, he hadn't noticed the soft ka-clunk as the clock clicked over showing her arrival.

Ginny crossed to him and stood, a nervous air was about her, which even Ron could discern. "Ron we talk?" She asked softly, even as internally she yearned for Neville to back her up. But it was her fault that he was not there. Neville had wanted to be here, but Ginny, fearing Ron's reaction, had kept him away.

Ron glanced at Luna, who shrugged. Prying her gaze from the copy of the Quibbler crossword in her hand she looked at Ginny, really looked at her for the first time in days, and after a minute let out a shocked gasp. Her eyes flicked sideways to Ron, who mouthed, "what?" She just shook her head, and waved to Ginny.

Ginny looked at both of them, her eyes scanning back and forth for a long bit, and finally settling on Luna. Let's just get it over with, "Luna, Ron...I'm pregnant." Luna nodded sagely, she had already known; well at least for the last few minutes anyway. She could see the dual auras surrounding her; it was easy enough with a family member. But Ron's reaction, Ron's was a bit more...demonstrative.

"WHAT!" He snapped, jumping to his feet in an instant. Letting out a sound halfway between a growl and a roar, he glared at Ginny; she gulped. He drew his wand, Ginny flinched and without any warning he vanished with a thunderous, CRACK. Behind him, Luna and Ginny shared a panicked look. The two witches looked at each other for several minutes, not daring to speak; then as if they had come to a shared decision, the pair of them vanished as one, in hot pursuit of Ron before he could find Neville.

**********************# 12 Grimmauld Place******************************

"That feels good." Hermione purred as Harry lazily ran his fingertips up and down her spine. They were ensconced on one of the comfortable couches in their private study on the second floor. One of the many changes Dobby and Winky had made in the old house in preparation for its occupancy was a private "family" area for each couple. Dobby had insisted that a "proper" family have a place to retreat from their guests. It was easier to let the elf have his way most of the time, and with, at least for now, three other couples and Sirius in the large house, it had turned out to be a good idea in the end. Hermione was sitting, straddling Harry's lap, as they were settling down for a good snogging session. Her fingers were already tangled in the disheveled dark mop he called hair, her nails lightly scratching his scalp in time to his fingers running down her back. He leaned forward to nuzzle her neck right as a CRACK of disapparation rang out throughout the house.

Harry was suddenly very grateful that Hermione had chosen to wear a skirt today, as it tended to hide any outward sign of his interrupted bliss. She started to move from his lap, only to pause as she caught his eyes. She giggled softly as Harry glanced over her shoulder at his...brother. "Ronald." Harry said, slightly dangerously, "Do you need something?" Hermione giggled again, and with a sigh, she picked up where Harry had left off as she kissed the side of his neck.

'Bloody Hell." Ron moaned, "Could you two stop, it's an emergency."

"Ronald" Hermione muttered, with threadbare patience, "we are newlyweds...this is our house, that last time I looked, you lived in on our suffrage. Unless Voldemort has come back..."

"Not bloody well even then..." Harry interrupted softly. She nodded and gave him a kiss as a reward.

"Not even if Voldemort has come back...stop quivering Ron, he's dead, where was I..." Hermione muttered.

"Necking" Harry put in helpfully.

"Yes, Love. It can wait Ron." Doing her level best to ignore the ginger-haired interloper, Hermione turned back to Harry, she had never left his lap, and kissed him once more. It had always worked at Hogwarts as eventually Ron, on those few times he wasn't attached at the hip to Luna, would pretend loudly he was grossed out and leave. With this thought in mind, the Potters continued, only to stop as a knock came at the door to the room. A tightly synchronized sigh came from both Harry and Hermione, and as one, "COME IN." Utter annoyance was mirrored in each's tone.

The door opened with a small squeak and Neville looked in, a slightly sheepish look in his eyes. He looked directly at Hermione and Harry, not turning to look at the rest of the room, "Sorry guys, but I was heading out and I wanted to know if..."

Neville never got out the rest of his inquiry, a small helpful question to see if anyone needed him to pick something up for them at Diagon Alley. For as soon as he uttered the phrase, a harsh, sputtering roar came from the end of the room. "Neville...I'm gonna..." Ron's wand came from behind his back...and time stopped. Hermione tumbled backward out of Harry's lap, a flickering of her hand sent a orange bolt across the room, petrifying Ron, at the same time Harry's hastily cast shield deflected Ron's spell into the ceiling. A heartbeat later, Harry and Hermione were standing between the pair, taking turns flicking glances back and forth between Ron and Neville.

I guess Ron didn't take the news well. Harry rolled his eyes as Ron glared at them from the floor.

Guess not. Hermione agreed, honestly...can't they go somewhere else and fight? Her hand flicked again and Ron became unfrozen. Ron opened his mouth to speak, but before another word could be uttered, a pair of apparation cracks and the soft POP of Dobby's arrival sounded in the room. Ginny and Luna looked from Ron to Neville, each pausing on Harry and Hermione as they took in the scene, the knocked over couch that Harry and Hermione had been on, the flushed looks in their faces, the rage on Ron's and the bewilderment reflected in Neville's eyes. It was obvious that they had arrived right in the middle of things. Immediately Ginny ran over to Neville and stood in front of him protectively, even though he was pretty well protected already. Luna on the other hand, stalked over to Ron, her hands on her hips.

She glared at him as she looked down at his horizontal form. In a voice, so eerily reminiscent of Molly Weasley that everyone in the room looked over at her, startled, she growled at Ron, "Ronald Bilius Weasley, what the bloody hell do you think you are doing?" She huffed, "you are being an arse."

"But..." Ron sputtered, "I told him, that I'd..."

"Ronald," Luna cut him off, exasperation leaking into her voice. It was anything but dreamy at the moment. And Ron gulped. "You say that to everyone," she leaned forward and rapped him on the head, softly, "She is old enough to make her own decisions now." Her expression softened as she knelt down next to her husband, "Dear you are going to have to let her make her own decisions and mistakes."

Ron looked at her with a funny expression as the rest of them looked on, "Then you agree she's..."

"I never said that Ronald," Luna retorted quickly, a touch of fire slipping into her words. "Just that it's time for you to let go." She reached out and pulled him to his feet with a strength that her lithe frame hid well, "Now apologize, you do want to see your nephew when he's born...right?" A blond eyebrow crooked as her hands returned to her hips, a finger tapping softly on the front of her thigh. Ron glanced at her, and just as quickly glanced down. In the background Harry looked quickly away, biting his lip as his gaze crossed Hermione's. He didn't even need to be able to read her thoughts to detect the laughter she was barely holding in check.

"Yes Luv," Ron whispered as he crossed to Ginny and Neville, Ginny flinched slightly as Ron approached, his wand still in his hand. Ron noticed and sheepishly slid it into the back pocket of his jeans. He looked down at his sister, then behind her at Neville. Neville wasn't cowering or hiding, he hadn't moved Ginny aside, but in all honestly that was more because he was more afraid of her wrath than Ron's. Ron sighed again and in a low voice, "I'm sorry Ginny...Neville, it was foolish of me to react like that. Please forgive me."

"Sure Ron," Ginny replied graciously and the scene was diffused. Even Dobby seemed to know it. With a muffled pop, he vanished only to reappear a moment later with a tray of butterbeers. He placed it on a convenient table and vanished again. A long minute then two passed. Finally, Ron nodded and gave her a slightly reluctant hug, even though it was genuine. Luna gave him an encouraging smile, like one would give to a child behaving under duress.

Ron did make an effort; he smiled and began talking to Neville about Quiddich, his default ice-breaking topic. Harry joined the conversion, with a touch of exuberance as Hermione rolled her eyes in the background and bent low to talk to Ginny. She nodded, and with a quick hug to Hermione, Ginny went over to Neville, and a moment later they disapparated away.

Ron kept talking about the Cannons to Harry, until finally even Luna started to get annoyed. Murmuring goodbyes to Hermione, she went over and grabbed Ron, kissed him on the cheek and vanished with a muffled CRACK. Ron suddenly grinned at the space she had just occupied and vanished a moment later.

Harry looked a touch confused. He glanced over at Hermione, and cocked an eyebrow. She took pity on him. "I pointed out that they could be doing much more enjoyable things on such a nice afternoon." Her lips quirked as she started walking away, a finger crooked over her shoulder. A smile lighting his suddenly dark eyes, he followed her, his gaze locked to hers. It was enough to see her eyes widen suddenly in annoyance, right as his senses felt the magical energy in the room skyrocket, almost exactly by another third in fact. Harry didn't turn, his head drooped as he spun in place and dropped onto a nearby couch. He lowered his head to his hands and started chuckling, with a touch of hysterical mirth, the kind that comes out when it just gets too much to believe. Harry didn't even look up as Hermione sat on his knee and wrapped her arms around his neck. Nor did he as he spoke to the newest guest of House Potter.

"Hello, Grandfather." Hermione dropped her head to his neck and giggled hysterically. His eyes rolled in his head before he raised his head to meet the twinkling blue gaze that looked down on them happily. "What can we do for you?" Harry asked calmly, his voice showing almost no trace of incredible vexation he was feeling right now...from more than one source.

Dumbledore stood near the door; quite honestly he had forgotten that they might be...busy. The old wizard looked almost embarrassed, but he recovered quickly. "Am I interrupting something, perhaps?" He inquired with the exact same air he had had the night he had caught the pair of them coming out of an empty classroom, just barely decent after a brief interlude during rounds. At their silence he went on. "I am sorry for barging in, you need to forgive an old man his follies." Harry and Hermione rolled their eyes in unison at that one. "However I needed to speak to you two before tomorrow. First, the portkey will be ready for you two to leave in the morning as we discussed. I am glad you are taking me up on my offer." Harry gave him a quick smile and a nod. "And while I am at it, I thought I would bring by your N.E.W.T. results."

Hermione gasped and jumped to her feet. Harry rolled his eyes again, and without looking she whacked the back of his head lightly with her free hand. He laughed as she turned and shared a small, knowing grin. With a flick of a wand, a pair of large book size packages appeared, an official envelope resting on the top of each. Hermione grinned again as she read the header on hers:

Hermione Potter
#12 Grimmauld Place, London.

Dumbledore nodded knowingly as she picked it up, her hands shaking slightly. She extended the package to Harry. "Here Harry, you open it...I'm..." She shrugged, and without a pause Harry grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down into his lap with a squeak. "HARRY." She snapped, but no one in the room mistook her tone for anger, not really.

"Well look at them together, Mione...ok?" Harry whispered in her ear, as she looked at him, her bottom lip in her teeth, and just a tiny touch of fear in her eyes. Love. You've done fine.

I guess.
Hermione agreed reluctantly. Dumbledore had taken one of the plush armchairs in the corner and was watching them closely. His eyes caught Harry's and even without Legilimency, Harry knew he was barely holding in his laughter.

Harry ripped open Hermione's envelope and held it up for them both to read. She gasped, and slowly, tremulously, a huge grin erupted over her face.

Mrs. Hermione Potter

I am pleased to present to you your scores for the N.E.W.T. exams for this past year. Please take time to examine the results and please bring any perceived discrepancies to the attention of myself or Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Minerva McGonagall
Assistant Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Head of Gryffindor House and Head of the Transfiguration Department.
Order of Merlin, Second Class.

Advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+ *

Advanced Transfiguration
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+*

Advanced Charms
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+ *

Care of Dangerous Magical Creatures
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+ *

Advanced Herbology
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Advanced Potions
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+

Advanced Arthimancy
Written O+
Practical O+
Average O+ *

Ancient Runes
Written O+*
Practical N/A
Average O

History of Magic (NEWT level)
Written O
Practical N/A
Average O

Muggle Studies
Written O
Practical N/A
Average O

Astronomy
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Mrs. Potter you will find in the subjects marked with a * that you achieved especially high marks. The score for Defense Against the Dark Arts tied one other student for the highest ever recorded in that subject. For the subjects, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, Charms and Muggle Studies, extra points were awarded basis the theorem presented in your N.E.W.T. thesis, a bound copy of which is enclosed, of An Examination of Physical Law Via an Arithmatic Examination of the Unified Underpinnings of Spells and How They Relate to Interactions with the Universe. For the Ancient Runes examination, the Ministry is happy to present extra points for determining the error in the examination. The error that showed RADIS translated as total defeat, should have been, as you pointed out to Professor Sidemore, Victory at a Price. The error will be fixed in any future examinations of this type.

Hermione had tears coming from her eyes as she nearly strangled Harry with the force of her hug. "Told you Mione." He whispered. She shook in relief.

Across from them, Dumbledore was sipping from a cup of Earl Gray that Dobby had brought in without asking and vanished. "It seems, Harry, Hermione," He took a sip, "that several records were shattered on this last round of NEWTs. In fact, I have been told that the Ministry is looking to rewrite the tests perhaps. It seems that the Head Girl of Hogwarts scored the second highest cumulative score on the N.EW.T. exams ever recorded." He didn't seem to notice Hermione giving Harry, a quick, deep kiss as she bounced on his lap, like a little kid. "It seems that the entire Gryffindor and Ravenclaw seventh year class scored outstandings in Defense Against the Dark Arts. It also seems that certain theses belonging to the Head Boy and Head Girl have already been accepted for publication in Dark Arts Defense Quarterly and Arithmatic Investigations. Hermione looked stunned, even Harry looked taken aback, it was unheard of for a seventeen, ok eighteen year old Wizard or Witch to get published in either of those publications, even Dumbledore had been turned down by them once, once. Dumbledore laughed heartily. "Yes Harry, your theories on the Patronus Charm and its possible eventual modification into an actual weapon to destroy the Dementors were brilliant. I know Lily would be proud that you took her bare theory and expounded on it so elegantly." It was Harry's turn to gasp now.

"Hermione, I should mention a couple of matters before I leave." A sudden thought, visibly crossed his face, "And oh by the way Harry, since you haven't opened it up yet, you got all O's and O+s as well, though not quite as high as your lovely bride I am afraid." Harry and Dumbledore shared a grin, as Dumbledore pushed his half moons back up his crooked nose. "Hermione, I took the liberty of applying for a patent on your "technology protection charm" as you outlined it in your paper at the Wizengamot Patent Office." He nodded at her, "I think you will be pleased to know that it does work, I tested it myself on some appliances at a muggle store on the way. I doubt it will work at Hogwarts or Stonehenge, but we were able to get a muggle flashlight to work right in the middle of Hogsmeade. I think that the Weasley Twins will be contacting you soon about licensing."

"Thanks," Hermione replied quietly, "we hadn't had time to actually test it, as there was no electricity at Hogwarts. I knew it would block the EM field from active magic, I had Harry test the ward with a stunner, that effect is the same on nervous systems as you know, so it was a good simulation, but I wasn't sure that my modification to let the electrons flow in and out would be successful."

"It was." Dumbledore laughed heartily as Harry gave her a congratulatory hug, "and while you two are away for your much needed time away..." he paused, as the twinkle in his eye became almost blinding in its intensity, "if you manage to get time in your month away, I have taken the liberty of contacting an old friend near where you are staying. He is a professor at a combined Muggle/Wizarding University there, of course the muggles don't know there is a wizarding component." Harry, Hermione and Dumbledore shared a chuckle; "he has been studying an odd Muggle field of science called Quantum Mechanics...I noticed certain congruities with your equations in some of the work he has shown me, I feel that he would be delighted to speak to you about the subject. I have left information as to how you can contact them in the house." He rose, "Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to the school, they are bringing in the new supports for Ravenclaw tower this afternoon. I will see you tomorrow." And just as he had come, Dumbledore vanished without a sound.

Hermione turned and looked at Harry, a slight, wordless pleading in her eyes, "Ok" he replied, he never could really deny her anything anyway, "We'll meet with the guy."

"Thanks Harry." She said with a small smile, then with a breath her voice dropped, her soprano becoming husky, "but we can do that near the end of the trip love." Any response on Harry's part was lost to the walls as with a slight push on the non-resisting wizard, Hermione pushed him down to the cushions of the couch, her lips never leaving his. Still without breaking contact she pulled her wand from behind her back and flicked it oddly. An odd feeling filled the house for a moment as the wards shifted, locking anyone else out. "Privacy...at last." She whispered as she tossed her wand to the side carelessly. "And we don't even need to do the charm any more."

********************************Manchester****************************

June 20, 2006
8:35pm

"Barris Odom, open up, this is the Ministry of Magic, we are serving a lawful warrant for the search of your residence and for your detaining for questioning Under the Defense of the Magical Realm Act." Tonks yelled through the door of the apartment. They were standing in the hallway outside apartment thirteen in a purely wizarding apartment building so they didn't have to worry too much about secrecy. Tonks heartily agreed with Harry and Hermione's speech at graduation that the worlds needed to come together, but even so, now was not really the time. She looked back at the four Aurors she had with her. All four towered over her natural, lithe frame. She waved at the door, "Jason if you would?"

"REDUCTO" the spell shattered the door, fragments spinning into the room and pinging off hastily erected shields. The four dove into the room, Jason fanning right, his partner Tim Window to the left and the third wizard, a hulking, dark skinned man named Samson Shacklebolt took the center. He was a distant relative to the late, great Auror. He had recently gotten his ears pierced to honor the fallen Hero, a great Uncle on his Father's side. The last wizard, Hakim Bashir danced into the room, his wand questing for a target. A moment, then two passed. "CLEAR...CLEAR...CLEAR...CLEAR." The words rang from four throats and a moment later, Bashir stuck his head back out into the hall, "it's clear boss." He confirmed to Tonks, his voice containing a faint Mediterranean accent.

Tonks walked into the room, her wand still sheathed. She still wasn't really used to this Head of Field Operations thing. She was already scheming how to keep doing actual work. She stopped in the middle of the front room, her hand on her hips, almost like Molly looking at a messy kitchen. "Search it." She commanded, and like a pack of trained wolves, the Aurors tore into the room. Tonks walked into the kitchen and started opening cabinets, hearing all the while sounds of a raucous search going on. They were here looking for Barris Odom. The man was, or rather had been, an Unspeakable with access to secrets and devices that should never, ever see the light of day. The Ministry held many, too many secrets, both dark and light. The British Ministry was the oldest of the worlds Ministries, it anchored the wards that hid magic from Muggles, for the most part, and deep in its bowels certain projects and researches had been buried to keep from unworthy hands. Excalibur had lain there for a while, as had the grail, both gone now. Late last night a newly captured Death Eater had revealed the man's true allegiance during interrogation, in hopes of gaining a lighter sentence. He had failed, but the Ministry used the information anyway. Auror teams had set up a trap for him at his office but he had never showed. An emergency examination showed several highly, highly classified files had vanished along with him.

Just as Tonks opened the Icebox, Shaklebolt yelled out. "OI TONKS." She ran into a back room, following his voice, to find their worst fears were true. Laying on top of a cluttered desk, in the midst of shattered drawers and piles of paper where Samson had thrown them in his search, a coal-black, formerly sealed folder lay half open. Scrawled across the front of the folder in blood red, were the words: PROJECT GREEN SUN: TOPSECRET EYES ONLY: APRIL 13, 1945.

Tonks' stomach sunk to her knees, she had talked to Arthur and Dumbledore before she had left the Ministry, and she alone of the Aurors here knew just what was in the file, and God did she wish she didn't. Unfortunately the people she would have loved to have had here had just left the country for a month, Harry, Hermione and Ron had all left for their discrete honeymoons just this morning. She looked up as all four of the wizards squeezed into the room and stood opposite her. She graced them with a small, sad smile, and snapped up her wand, "OBLIVATE."

TO BE CONTINUED in Harry Potter and the War of Shadows.




Afterword :
May 30, 2005

There it is, who would have thought a five thousand word one-shot of Harry proposing would have grown into two published novel-length stories, a related one shot, and another one shot that was a spin-off of possible events from Darkness. As it looks right now, there are at least 1-2 sequels planned in this series. They won't be cannon as of HBP, unless I was really, really good. We can hope Harry and Hermione find each other in the chaos that will surely be HBP, but ultimately that is up to Rowling as it is her universe after all. Each one of these books has had a purpose, Darkness Before the Dawn was to let Harry and Hermione finish growing up, and Hermione's adulthood came too early in Lions. It was also on that path to show Ron that one needed to earn what one had, not for it to be given to him. Lions was there for Ron to finish growing up, and for Harry and Hermione to truly realize the power that would in the end destroy Voldemort.

The next book in this series is currently titled Harry Potter and the War of Shadows. Voldemort is gone, but his evil remains, just as it did after Dumbledore defeated his dark wizard in the forties. It picks up, after a brief prologue set immediately after Lions, six years down the line. The time jump is purposeful as I responded to BEC I believe it was, that it takes time for kids, relationships, and for the bad guys to recover from the blow dealt them at Hogwarts.

The Death Eaters are still there, Voldemort was just the leader of the moment, and the Knights of Walpurgis still owe their allegiance to the dark. Along with the Death Eaters, the mysterious Dark Ones, are still out there, their allegiance to Voldemort was questionable, but what of their seeming relationship to the Dementors. Who are now free of Azkaban. The side of Darkness has learned from the fall of Voldemort and there are those that have been plotting their own rise to power since his first defeat.

All is not bleak for the side of light, new weapons, and old allies from the past will arise to fight the darkness. Discoveries made in the night, will come to light.

In the end, loyalties will be tested to the breaking point, and choices will have to be made.

And one last thing, that ending, isn't as bad as the original one was. It is a cliffhanger in a sense, but H/HR/R/L are all fine at the end. As are most all of the good guys. Everyone will make it back from his or her honeymoons, etc.


Listening for Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

Evanescence, Wake me up inside, Fallen Album
Evanescence, Taking Over Me, Fallen Album (Actually the Entire Fallen Album is appropriate)
LeAnn Rimes, Commitment, Sitting on top of the world.
Here in the night
Motley Crue, If I die Tomorrow, Red White and Crue.
Accidentally in Love, Counting Crows Ron and Luna's song
Ever the Same, Rob Thomas, Something to be.
Van Halen, Dreams
Ingram Hill, Will I Ever Make it Home, June's Picture Show.
Satisfaction, Rolling Stones
Right Where I Belong, 3 Doors Down, 17 Days.
You and Me, Lifehouse, Lifehouse
Duel of the Fates, John William, Star Wars Episode I
Window to the Past, John Williams, POA (This is the classic H/HR theme, even if JW didn't intend it to be.)
Hedwig's Theme, John Williams, All the HP movies.

Built by Text2Html