The Sword of Light

jardyn39

Rating: PG
Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 03/03/2005
Last Updated: 12/03/2005
Status: Completed

Harry is introduced to a new way of travelling undetected. This leads to a shocking discovery that not even the attentions of the First Aid Club and Snape can distract Harry from. Battling his own conscience, Harry needs a weapon to fight Voldemort’s unseen agents from the shadows. After Harry is stabbed and poisoned, the DA battles on. At the same time in another world, Harry stands alone, fighting the creatures coming out of the darkness to attack his friends as they fight and fall.

1. Prologue

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Introduction

This is the fourth of five linked stories set during Harry’s Sixth Year. References are made to new characters and events that occur in previous stories. Few, if any, recaps are included but a summary of the previous parts is given in the Prologue.

The five consecutive parts of “The Apprentice Piece” are entitled: The Apprentice Piece, The Crucible, The Dragon, The Sword of Light and The Accord. A Summary for the remaining parts is given at the end of the last chapter. A brief prologue for the preceding parts is given at the beginning of each part.

Prologue

Part One: The Apprentice Piece

Harry is in possession of a wand which he calls his Apprentice Piece which he made during the holidays. Mystery surrounds the wand and where the wood for it came from.

Harry is asked to set up Quidditch practice for non-team players. He readily agrees and the Rebels are formed with non-house teams. Ron does not approve. Harry is made captain of the Quidditch team, much to Ron’s obvious disappointment. Harry appoints Ginny their new play maker. Ron plays terribly until their first game, which they win convincingly.

The new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and ex-Auror, Harbinger, has been giving Harry additional training in an Auror Tent. The tent is known to have killed before and everyone that knows about it wants it destroyed. Moody helped set it up.

Harbinger is in possession of letters from Harry’s mother and has promised them to Harry, believing they contain hidden messages for Harry. Harbinger’s tragic secret is revealed.

In the few short weeks since the start of term, Ron has lost his Prefect badge and been thrown off the Quidditch team. To the surprise of many, Harry has forgiven Ron and expects him to work to regain his prefect badge.

Harry was introduced to an Unspeakable named Fides who, known only to her mother and father, helped Harry save Hermione’s life. Fides allowed Harry to face a challenge to obtain an elixir to cure Hermione. Fides later admits to a deception but Harry has seen and used part of his potential as well as a much darker side of himself.

Harry learns that Dumbledore argued with the Unspeakables when he was an infant but that someone else won the day allowing him to grow up.

Hermione is asked to improve the tent’s simulated attacks. She does this with extraordinary effectiveness. Harry is livid. Unknowingly, Hermione broke Moody’s rules concerning the tent which caused him to believe it was real. Hermione believed Harry had feelings for Ginny and placed an image of her in the simulation. The tent needed to be repaired after Harry had finished.

The Regiment has set up a refugee camp within the Hogwarts grounds. Dumbledore insists that the traditional challenge between the Regiment and Hogwarts must proceed and will be lead by Peeves. The night of the challenge, which is a glorified food fight, is Halloween. The same evening dance is arranged for the senior years. Hermione finally tells Harry that Halloween is not a traditional wizarding celebration.

Part Two: The Crucible

Beginning just after Halloween during Harry’s Sixth Year. Fudge is trying to get his hands on Sirius’ estate. Hermione is shocked when Dumbledore allows Harry to enter the Auror tent at its highest skill level before the tent is destroyed. In the tent, Harry faces the Unforgivable Curses again but finally realises he won’t be able to use them.

Harry and Hermione show an elderly visitor around the school, and are quizzed by her endlessly. Dumbledore is not surprised to find them duelling when he invites them to lunch. Clearly very good friends with most of the senior staff, Perenelle jokes that she may be inspecting some lessons later. Harry is shocked when Perenelle tries to attack him in front of Dumbledore. He then discovers she also attacked Hermione. Perenelle’s memory of the incident and why she did it are modified. Perenelle is angry with Dumbledore. He does not know what she was trying to find out from Hermione.

Harry learns about a Crucible Charm that was placed on him as a child and Hermione is determined to help him break it. Harry must not learn how to break the charm as it must occur naturally. Harry is the object of a whispering campaign as Hermione’s co-conspirators set to work.

Harry spends Christmas with Lupin at Grimmauld Place after Dumbledore advises him the Ministry won’t know if underage magic is performed there, but it must remain a secret from the others. Harry finds he can do permanent transfiguration charms.

The Grangers and Weasleys join them for Christmas and Harry asks the Grangers to stay on while he reads his mother’s letters which are sealed. Harry confides in Winky and Mrs Granger about his performing underage magic there. Lily’s letters to Harry are revealed and he and Hermione spend an emotional day reading. Just after Hermione has received a letter apparently from Lily, Voldemort possesses Harry and tries to attack Hermione. At the same time Harry wakes in control of Voldemort’s body and is attacked himself.

Back at Hogwarts, Dobby is charged with stunning Harry every time he has a strange look about him. There are a number of false alarms but Hermione is safe.

Harry discovers Hermione in an ancient book store, accessed from a door within the restricted section of the library. Hermione is climbing dangerously high up seeking a book when Malfoy attacks Harry. His spell misses Harry but causes Hermione to fall. Harry dives into the falling debris to protect Hermione. Trapped, Hermione forces Harry to talk. The Crucible Charm breaks.

On their way back to the Headmaster’s office, they stop off in Myrtle’s bathroom to clean up. After leaving Dumbledore’s office, Harry finally puts on his prefect badge and punishes Malfoy.

Part Three: The Dragon

Harry intervenes when a group of Death Eaters attack the refugee school while Hermione is reading to the children there. The story is the story of Merlin’s wand which was just like Harry’s Apprentice Piece.

After a Quidditch match Voldemort attacks in numbers. Many killed and injured. The DA is ready to assist. During the attack, Fudge tells Harry that Hermione and Ginny have been taken. There is a pitched battle inside the stadium. Outside, the Regiment is also fighting.

Fudge caught with defence plans and is arrested. Regiment’s Colonel is killed. Dark Mark flies over Hogwarts. Hermione and Ginny are safe.

A dragon appears inside the Quidditch stadium. Dumbledore and Harry fight it together to Voldemort’s taunts. Harry realises Voldemort is possessing the creature and breaks the control collar.

Harry’s Apprentice Piece wand is destroyed. Harry speaks to the dragon, whose name is Kales, and invites him to fight Voldemort with them. Kales refuses but makes Voldemort set himself on fire through Harry and forbids the dragons from fighting for Voldemort. Harry finds out that Kales isn’t really a dragon and his Apprentice Piece wasn’t really a wand.

Harbinger dies from his injuries and Harry goes to Regiment field hospital for treatment of his broken arm. There, he finds Ginny and Hermione have taken charge.

Kales visits Harry and Hermione in a dream. Hermione remembers him from her own dreams. He calls her a Guardian, but doesn’t tell Harry why.

Part Four: Beginning a few days after the battle …

2. Kales Returns

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter One: Kales Returns

Dumbledore sat down having just described to the assembled school, Professor Harbinger’s life from when he first came to Hogwarts as an eleven year old to his heroic death a few days past. He left nothing out, giving full details of the times he had been expelled as well his career as an Auror before he came back to Hogwarts a few months ago.

The entire hall remained silent, as each person present remembered Harbinger. The black flags that had adorned the Great Hall all week wafted gently although there was no breeze.

Harbinger had been laid to rest next to the family he missed so much. In accordance with his wishes, only very few people had attended the graveside. However, the entire school had stood in silent tribute during the service around the ancient graveyard. Harry had been invited to attend the simple burial service, but he had stayed to comfort Hermione at the entrance gates. Somehow he felt Harbinger would have wanted that.

Harry had listened intently to Dumbledore’s words.

Harry already knew much of Harbinger’s history, as well as his friendship with his mother which, of course, Dumbledore hadn’t mentioned.

Dumbledore paid particular tribute to Professor Flitwick, highlighting his efforts to help the troubled John Harbinger, both at school and after. Flitwick didn’t acknowledge Dumbledore, though. Tears were freely flowing down his face and he looked deep in thought.

Harry recalled that other than when Flitwick had been brought to Harbinger’s body, he hadn’t shown any emotion in the intervening days. He had launched himself into helping and directing repairs after the battle. Even at the service, he had been sombre but unemotional. It seemed it was only now, when everything was done, that he allowed himself to grieve.

Clearly, Harbinger had been modest when he had described to Harry his Auror activities. Dumbledore described, no doubt with help from Moody who knew him well, several notable achievements. Harbinger had received several decorations for bravery.

Hermione leaned heavily against Harry as Dumbledore spoke; her head bent low and dabbing her eyes frequently.

Dumbledore rose to his feet again and began to read out a full list of casualties, his voice full of emotion. He had known and taught every person on the list. Hermione gripped Harry’s hand tightly throughout.

At the end of the list Dumbledore paused and took a deep, steadying breath. Wiping his eyes he started back at the top of the list and began again.

This time, however, he paused and said a few words about each of them, usually some obscure schooling achievement or a short amusing anecdote. His words were full of warmth and humour. And soon the melancholy in the Great Hall was replaced with sad smiles and occasional laughs.

Even Professor McGonagall wore a watery smile as she recalled the various events that Dumbledore described.

It struck Harry how much of a keen interest Dumbledore took in all his students, past and present. Not one individual hadn’t been recalled with genuine affection.

*

It was a few days later that Harry had an opportunity to find out how the Death Eaters had been able to begin their attack from the Quidditch stadium.

The Aurors had completed their investigations and the Regiment had started clearing away the debris in preparation for reconstruction work but Madam Hooch had invited the Team Captains along to agree a new training schedule.

Harry went over to inspect the gaping tunnel entrance that was all too obvious now that most of the collapsed stand had been pulled away. He was acutely aware that had Neville not been there to stop him, he would have run straight into this tunnel, regardless of the consequences.

As he stared into the blackness, he became aware that someone was walking up to his side. He turned to see Lieutenant Davis.

"Want to see inside?"

Harry smiled back at him and nodded. They both drew out their wands and entered.

"Lumos," they both said and the same time.

The tunnel was about twelve feet in diameter and almost circular in profile apart from the floor, which was sloping downwards but otherwise flat. Harry could see many footprints trodden into the earth.

"Look at these tunnel supports," said the Lieutenant, shining his wand light to the side and going over. Harry followed and watched as the light beam hit what looked like a vertical support that was curved to match the wall. The supports projected slightly and Harry was strongly reminded of ribs, particularly as there appeared to be what looked like a backbone along the very top of the tunnel ceiling.

"These look like they were transfigured under the ground and then the earth was vanished to form the tunnel," he explained. "Come and see where they started from."

They proceeded further along the tunnel until they came to a larger chamber. The wand light was not strong enough to see the ceiling high above them clearly, but Harry could just make out tree roots intertwined.

"This is where they began the tunnel. You see these small openings," the Lieutenant said pointing at the rear wall. Harry nodded seeing dozens of small holes, each about a foot in diameter.

"These are too small for even a small man to get through. We think some small burrowing creatures were bewitched to tunnel from both the forest and the refugee camp. We have found several concealed entrances so far, but we know there must be more because of the number that finish here.

"They created a small chamber where we are standing, probably enough just for half a dozen men. One of the creatures probably brought a marker down here and the Death Eaters were then able to Portkey in. They then created this chamber and then the main tunnel."

"A marker?" asked Harry.

"Yes. You see Hogwarts is heavily protected. No ordinary Portkey will get you into the grounds, and it’s the same down here. But if you can get a target that the Portkey can aim for, it can be done. It’s one of the tricks the Regiment uses to breach a wizard stronghold. Of course, not even a target will get you into the castle itself."

Harry frowned to himself, and Davis smiled understanding his query.

"I’ve used a Portkey to both come and go into the castle," said Harry.

"But who created the Portkeys?" Davis asked with a grin.

"Dumbledore," answered Harry, and he realised that made sense. The Headmaster would know how to get through the castle’s protections.

But, Harry wondered, how had Fides brought him back to the Headmaster’s office?

Lieutenant Davis was continuing with his explanation.

"When they began their attack, they pushed the remaining earth up into the stand causing it to collapse and forming the tunnel mouth. By pushing the earth up rather than having a big explosion, they ensured that efforts would be divided between helping casualties trapped under the debris and fighting.

"You can see that this chamber probably held a good two hundred for the initial charge outside. More would have Portkeyed here and they also attacked from the forest, of course.

"The Aurors have taken all the Portkeys, but we found dozens lying around here. We also suspect that a small party remained here to capture you when you ventured inside."

"So did they build all this just to lure me here?" asked Harry.

"No, not entirely. They needed something to draw us into the stadium. The basic plan was for us to get pinned down inside the stadium trying to protect the civilians in the stands. Had that happened we know a lot more would have emerged from the forest."

"The dragons," Harry said softly.

"Yes, those too I expect."

They turned and made their way out.

"We knew your DA groups were making preparations inside the stadium. I’m afraid I made rather a nuisance of myself with Colonel Nader. I thought he and Dumbledore were quite mad to leave you lot without Regiment protection. Still, Voldemort will think twice before doing anything like that again. He lost a good number of fighters, even if we didn’t get any of his core supporters."

Harry smiled hearing Davis say Voldemort’s name.

"Why attack Hogwarts though?" wondered Harry aloud.

"I honestly don’t know. Publicity alone would not be enough. I can tell you that through the ages, several battles were centred around here. Perhaps there’s something here, a power maybe, that most people have forgotten. I probably should have paid more attention in Binns’ classes!"

Harry snorted.

"We’ll begin filling the chamber up when Dumbledore has finished. He wants to do some additional tests and said something about asking Professor Flitwick to place a charm from the lowest point. I’m not sure what it’s about but he didn’t want to burden the Professor with too much before he was ready."

*

Harry shaded his eyes as they emerged from the dark tunnel into the bright morning light. The others had gone but the Regiment soldiers were still hard at work.

"You know, this Regiment has been in existence in various forms and sizes since Roman times, and in the Roman tradition we build what we need when we need it. Fortifications, bridges, tunnels and anything else that’s needed. In fact, we do more construction than training to fight. And yet, even our most experienced engineers would have had difficulty constructing all that undetected. Remember, we were looking for something like this."

Harry nodded in understanding and looked over towards the soldiers who were deciding which timbers they could reclaim and re-use in the new stand.

"We’ll soon have this lot reinstated," said Davis looking around.

"Will the Regiment be staying long?"

"We’ll be here as long as the refugee camp remains. Actually, that may not be too much longer. There were quite a few sympathisers that showed their hands. They are now helping the Aurors with their enquiries. In addition we’ve had a surprising number of volunteers to join the Regiment. The numbers that will be left will be small enough to take with us or relocate."

"Do you think that Nader and Dumbledore planned this? I mean, why they set up the camp so close to Hogwarts."

"I’m sure they did, and apart from our casualties, it was a very successful plan. From Nader’s papers it looks like flushing Fudge out was a major priority, too."

"It must be difficult for you to carry on," said Harry gently, "knowing you lost so many colleagues."

"It’s not easy, but it’s what we do. Keeping everyone busy helps, but even in peacetime there are casualties."

*

Kales began visiting Harry in his dreams regularly, although he and Hermione hadn’t shared any dream since they first met the dragon on the night after the battle. Harry wondered why this was and assumed it was because of the physical distance between them. Kales had told Harry he would stop by occasionally to ensure Voldemort wasn’t trying to get into his mind.

At first, Harry woke in the mornings with only a vague recollection that he’d dreamt of the dragon. Then over several nights his waking memory became stronger. He particularly remembered the dragon’s striking yellow eyes.

On the evening that Snape had given him three more detentions, the second two simply for asking what the first one was for, Harry fell asleep eventually after failing completely to empty his mind of emotion.

Harry knew he would be vulnerable. He was almost about to get up out of bed to make sure he didn’t fall asleep until he’d calmed down, when exhaustion finally claimed him.

Fortunately, Kales was there. They talked and gradually Harry calmed down, although not quite enough for Kales’ satisfaction.

"When do you feel most relaxed, boy?" the dragon asked.

"I suppose when I’m with Hermione and she’s safe and I haven’t annoyed her, or when I’m flying," he replied honestly.

"Do you ever dream of flying?"

"Rarely, but yes," Harry replied.

"Is that your broom?"

Harry turned and looked behind him. It was his Firebolt just lying on the grass. He extended his arm and said, "Up!" and the broom jumped up into his hand. It was identical in every way.

Harry smiled to himself, as he did whenever he held his real Firebolt. Everything associated with Sirius had a special significance for him now, and this was especially true of his Firebolt.

"Come, join me on a flight," said Kales, extending his wings out wide.

They did a few laps around the Quidditch Stadium and Harry almost forgot he was in a dream. Eventually Kales became satisfied that Harry was sufficiently relaxed, and called for him to follow back down to the ground.

"Thanks," said Harry when they landed. "I’ve not really progressed much further with my Occlumency for ages. I have trouble emptying my mind of strong emotions, especially after Snape has wound me up."

"There’s nothing wrong with having strong emotions, it’s just that your link with Voldemort appears to be strongest when either of you are feeling a strong negative emotion. I want you to come here in your dreams and fly if you have to. Will yourself here, even if I’m not. You will find that you’ll need a broomstick to fly for a while, but this is only a dream so you don’t really need it."

Harry nodded and then asked, "Um, not to rude or anything, but you look a lot smaller now than when we met in real life. Why is that?"

"Well, considering that I could barely take a dozen steps backwards without trampling over some goal posts, I thought something smaller might be more sensible. Anyway, I would like to begin to train you in a couple of areas. We can only meet in this dream state, so progress will be slow. You need normal sleep as well."

"What sort of things?" asked Harry.

"You really need to learn to control your emotions, not just when you are trying to sleep," Kales said ignoring Harry’s question. "Don’t allow yourself to be provoked so easily but don’t, on any account, allow yourself to become unfeeling."

"That’s easier said than done," Harry replied darkly.

"You are a wand bearer. It chose you."

Harry shook his head having no idea what Kales was trying to explain.

"It will come in time. Sleep now, Boy."

Harry slept, but from that night onwards he would remember Kales’ visits.

3. Perenelle’s Defence Lessons

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Two: Perenelle’s Defence Lessons

Harry and Hermione walked into one of the lesser used classrooms on the ground floor. They were a little later than intended because they had been detained by several DA members, each complaining that they wanted more defence lessons and asking what was so important this evening that prevented Harry teaching them tonight.

Hermione had patiently explained that Harry needed his own training and that Harry would be pleased to arrange as many DA meetings as he could manage.

Inside the classroom they found Perenelle waiting for them with an excited look on her face.

She eagerly handed Harry a long list of curses and hexes she was proposing they learn. Harry and Hermione studied the list carefully, standing side by side to read the list. Hermione took out a quill and undid a small bottle of ink and began marking the list.

Starting right at the top, her finger followed the list down. Some she ticked immediately, others she crossed. Occasionally she paused and Harry would give a small nod or shake of the head and she marked them accordingly. They smiled at each other as they reached the end of the list, Harry feeling a kind of thrill that they were now of one mind in this.

Perenelle’s face dropped seeing the number of crosses Hermione had marked.

"Some of these look really interesting," said Harry encouragingly, "but a lot of these are too dark for me. That flesh melting one looks terrible."

"I’ve marked some with a question mark," added Hermione, looking up from the list. "I’ll look these up before we decide finally on them."

Perenelle looked down at the marked list.

"The ones that blow up internal organs aren’t always fatal," she offered.

"No thanks," said Harry smiling.

"Inducing temporary blindness?" Perenelle asked hopefully.

"How temporary is it?" asked Hermione without looking up as she put her quill and ink away.

Perenelle sighed deeply and sat down, admitting defeat. Harry snorted.

"I really appreciate the trouble you’ve gone to, Perenelle," said Harry warmly, "but some of these are just horrible."

"Do you think your enemies will refrain from using these, just because you don’t use them?" Perenelle demanded, sounding cross now.

"Not at all," said Hermione quickly. Harry smiled at her. He had been about to say the exact same words.

"We do want to learn how to defend ourselves against all this sort of thing, though," said Harry.

"Oh, I have a separate list for defensive training. These are just the milder ones I thought you might go for as offensive curses. The defensive list is considerably longer, of course."

Hermione gulped but Harry said, "That’s good. It’s exactly what we need. Thank you for helping us, Perenelle."

"Want to make a start?" asked Perenelle enthusiastically, jumping up.

*

An hour later, Perenelle was again pleading with Harry.

He knew she was right, but he couldn’t really see a solution to the problem. Thanks to his sessions in the Auror Training tent and Harbinger’s efforts, he had become very proficient in defensive spells and counter jinxes.

Perenelle’s complaint was that neither Harry nor Hermione were retaliating with any conviction against her and Harry was even weaker against Hermione.

Harry was very uncomfortable about duelling with a very elderly and diminutive lady, even if she was a witch as powerful and energetic as Perenelle. He also couldn’t bring himself to risk hurting Hermione.

"Do you really think Voldemort won’t have Death Eaters and sympathisers that look helpless? Some of his best assassins are kindly looking little old ladies."

Harry shook his head.

No, he didn’t think that.

At that moment, Dumbledore entered the classroom. He was followed by Pansy Parkinson and a Fifth Year boy from Slytherin that Harry recognised but didn’t know.

Harry and Hermione exchanged quizzical looks, both wondering what Dumbledore wanted and why he felt it necessary to bring a couple of Slytherins.

"My apologies for interrupting," said Dumbledore softly, "but I may have found a solution to your problem."

Behind him, Pansy winked at Harry and gave him a small mischievous smile.

"Miss Parkinson and Mr Hopkins here have shown themselves quite adept at duelling with some of the darker curses. So much so, indeed, that I’m afraid they have earned themselves several detentions. Coincidentally, their detentions happen to coincide with your additional training periods. I hope you won’t mind if they join you."

"More than welcome," said Perenelle, firing stunning spells at each of them without warning. They reacted instantly and soon the three of them were duelling energetically to Perenelle’s obvious approval.

Dumbledore had to raise his voice a little to be heard above the bangs and cracks as the fight continued. Hermione was looking on in shock but soon brought her attention back to the Headmaster.

"I have asked Alastor Moody to join the staff to fill in with Professor Harbinger’s Defence Against the Dark Arts classes," he said. "Unfortunately he can only teach part time but he should be able to cover the OWL and NEWT final years. That will still leave us with several classes that need cover."

"I’ll do it!" shouted Perenelle from across the room. She quickly stunned the two Slytherins she had been toying with and practically ran back over to Dumbledore.

"No, Perenelle," said Dumbledore firmly.

"Please?"

"You have too little self control, Perenelle," he added before turning back to Harry and Hermione.

"We haven’t had any appropriate applicants for the post, although Gilderoy did send a very nice drawing together with several autographed photos," the Headmaster said with the smallest of smiles.

"I have also taken the liberty of making enquires with several of your DA members. They all seem to think that it would be very difficult indeed to find anyone better at teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts than yourself, Harry."

Harry felt himself blush slightly.

"John Harbinger himself asked if he could get you to provide some teaching assistance. I thought you had enough to do but it seems you are already teaching two-thirds of the school though DA and Rebel activities anyway."

"We’re well over three-quarters now, actually, Sir," said Hermione, grinning.

"Indeed?" Dumbledore said raising his eyebrows. "Well, I’d very much appreciate it if both of you would consent to help out as teaching assistants for the next few weeks. Defence Against the Dark Arts is too important to leave these days."

"I’d love to," said Hermione, beaming up at him. She turned to Harry expectantly.

"Well, of course I’ll help," said Harry after a moment, "but won’t Professor Snape want to help out too?"

"I don’t want to trouble Professor Snape with this," said Dumbledore carefully. "However, you may find that his justifiable concern should you miss or be late for any of his classes may lead to an increase in the number of detentions he gives and points he deducts. His motives will, I’m sure, be entirely out of concern for your levels of attainment in his classes."

Harry bit his tongue.

"Please see Professor McGonagall for details of the classes you will be asked to cover and the syllabus requirements. I would also advise you to seek Professor McGonagall’s advice should you have any concerns or difficulties, as I’m sure you will. You will find her sympathetic and helpful."

They nodded and watched as the Headmaster turned and left, Hermione looking enthusiastic and Harry feeling more than a little trepidation.

Hermione’s smile left her face when they turned and walked over to where Perenelle was reviving Pansy and Hopkins.

"Are you sure you’ll be able to stun Pansy?" he asked quietly.

"If she keeps winking at you like that," she replied darkly, "no problem at all."

4. The Mirror with No Glass

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Three: The Mirror with No Glass

Harry confided to Ron that Dumbledore had asked Hermione and himself to step in as class assistants. He was feeling a little unsure about it already.

"It’s no big deal," Ron said as they sat for dinner in the Great Hall. "Remember? They had a senior former sit in on us when Lockhart had one of his bad hair days?"

"I’d forgotten about that," admitted Harry, feeling a little better.

"Yeah. Makes sense since you don’t have proper exams this year. All you have to do is sit in while they read or something."

"Well, I thought that but I think Hermione has other ideas," said Harry as Hermione tottered up to them carrying several volumes of books.

"Here, let me help," Harry said, taking the books from her.

"Thanks, Harry," she said gratefully. "Professor McGonagall lent me some of her teaching theory and practise books. I asked and she said you can borrow them too."

Ron sniggered very loudly.

*

Harry was flying around the now familiar dream Quidditch stadium when Kales appeared far below. Harry dived down to join him at once.

"Were you flying that fast for any particular reason?"

"No, I just like to," said Harry smiling. "I didn’t have potions today so I’m quite relaxed."

"Good. Come over here to this mirror."

Harry carefully placed his dream Firebolt on the rack that appeared upon his thought command. He was getting better at conjuring here, although it always left him tired and he wasn’t always successful.

He walked over to join Kales, who was standing before an enormous mirror. Except that it wasn’t actually made of glass. It looked like he might be able to actually step through the frame, except his reflection was standing there ready to do the same.

"Why don’t you have a reflection?"

"My reflection has a prior engagement this evening. Stand straight and look at your reflection."

Harry did as he was told.

"Now remember this image of yourself. Close your eyes."

Harry closed his eyes.

"Listen carefully now. Imagine your hair is growing longer. You are in need of a haircut. You are much more comfortable with a shorter length. This shoulder length is quite irritating. You can feel the length and it’s uncomfortable. You really must get it cut."

As Kales spoke, Harry instinctively shook his head slightly, shaking the imaginary overlong hair.

"Now imagine one of your friends has tried out a colour change spell on you while you slept. One side is bluish and the other is bright red."

Harry laughed, imagining the sight he must look.

Kales chuckled deeply and said, "Now, open your eyes and remind yourself what you really look like."

Harry gasped. He was looking at himself exactly as he had imagined his fair looking. Overlong and multi-coloured!

"Hah!" cried Harry. Turning his head he suddenly realised his actual hair had also become long and coloured, not just his reflection.

"This is just in this dream, though, right?" asked Harry, suddenly a little concerned.

"Well, yes, probably," admitted Kales, "but if you can perform these dream state transformations you will, with practice, be able to perform them awake. I want you to increase the complexity of the magic you practice here, using your thoughts. In time, you will also find that you can perform the same magic in the real world."

Harry looked back into the mirror and frowned before closing his eyes again.

"Concentrate now," said Kales. "Do the same process again in your mind except this time think of your normal appearance. Keeping your eyes closed will be less distracting, but you should try with your eyes open when you become more proficient."

When Harry opened his eyes, his hair was back to normal.

He was, though, very tired indeed.

"I’m surprised you managed that first go," admitted Kales. "We need to accelerate things anyway, so that’s as well. I normally advise that the Apprentice Piece will only allow it’s power to be yielded at a slow rate and that the bearer need not be discouraged by lack of progress."

Harry nodded, still staring at his reflection. Just for a moment, as he was about to turn away, he thought back to the time he encountered himself with Fides at the Department of Mysteries.

Somehow this mirror reminded him of the darker side that remained inside him, now gradually becoming free of the Crucible charm inside him. It troubled him that the Apprentice Piece and whatever powers Kales expected him to learn and use responsibly, may be in the hands of someone so dark.

He wondered if he was strong enough to resist.

"Sleep now, Boy."

*

Harry woke up and realised that his bed was surrounded by Ron, Neville, Dean and Seamus.

"What?" croaked Harry, still feeling the tiredness that waking from the stadium always left him with.

"Your hair, Harry," said Ron, laughing.

"Oh no," said Harry, and sure enough he realised he still had his long dream hair, complete with blue and red colourings.

Trying hard to ignore the others who were beginning to laugh harder, Harry covered his face with his hands and concentrated hard. He imagined he was looking into the dream mirror and repeated the steps Kales had told him.

The laughter stopped abruptly and Harry took his hands away. He immediately realised the length was back to normal but he wasn’t sure about the colour yet.

He was sure, however, that he would try and remember to close his bed hangings in future.

Ron was looking at him in shock.

"Is the colour still wrong?" asked Harry. Ron just continued to stare at him.

"It looks normal, Harry," said Neville, smiling. "How did you do that?"

5. Giving Slytherin House Points

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Four: Giving Slytherin House Points

"Harry, I think we should ask Professor Snape for additional Potions lessons."

Harry just looked at Hermione just as incredulously as he had the first time she’d expressed such an absurd opinion.

They hadn’t actually discussed his before as Hermione had previously been distracted by seeing Professor McGonagall and realising there was something she needed to ask her straight away.

Ever since Dumbledore had asked them to become classroom assistants, Hermione had deluged Professor McGonagall with queries and proposals. Harry was sure that anyone else would have been sent packing long since, but Professor McGonagall seemed more than happy to help.

Indeed, thanks to Hermione, it now appeared that they would actually be taking some First Year classes, not just assisting as Harry had first thought.

"Well, we will be missing some Potions classes and it is such an important subject," she continued.

In the absence of anything that would distract her again, Harry felt he should at least try and muster an objection.

"Hermione, when will I have time for extra Potions lessons? Most of my spare time is spent in Snape’s detentions anyway."

"Well, perhaps he’ll agree to teach us Potions while you’re having his detentions," she said brightly.

"That may a little too optimistic, Hermione."

"Well, let’s at least ask. Come on, we still have time before the bell."

Hermione had almost dragged him all the way down to the dungeons before Harry managed to stop her.

"Hermione, listen," he said. "Snape hates me. He won’t agree to anything right now."

"We have to try at least."

"Yes, we will," he agreed. "What I’m saying is he won’t agree now. I need to make some sort of peace offering. Maybe if I got him to accept an apology of some sort."

Hermione looked at him with a mixture of curiously and doubt.

"Don’t ask, Hermione," Harry warned. "I promise I’ll try. Not right now, though. I need to do something first. I’ll need to ask Professor Dumbledore to help me with it. If he agrees it might take a couple of days for me to learn how to use it."

*

Harry was sitting on the short grass in the middle of the pitch when Kales appeared. The ground was dry and warm, one of the advantages, he supposed of the dream world over the waking world.

"Not flying tonight?" Kales asked.

Harry just shrugged and smiled. He’d actually been thinking about how he was going to try and apologise to Snape. He also wondered what Dumbledore’s reaction would be to him asking for help.

Harry got to his feet.

"This evening, I am going to show you some of the doorways between this dream state and the real world. Please know, however, that there is some risk for the untrained mind. For this evening, you will ride with me. I don’t want you to get lost or too disoriented. Please remember that for you, at the present time, only this stadium is safe."

Harry nodded.

"Climb up, then, Boy," said Kales.

Harry climbed up onto the dragon’s back. He was much bigger he usually was, although not quite as big as he was in real life.

Kales leapt into the air, causing Harry to hold on tight. The dragon’s pointed scales down his backbone were not at all comfortable. They soared high over the lake and then flew towards the castle.

They landed soon afterwards in front of the main entrance doors. As big as these doors were, Kales was far too big to enter.

Harry then became aware of a strange sensation and realised that Kales and himself were shrinking slowly. Kales then walked forward, moving effortlessly through the closed doors as if they themselves were mere ghosts.

"In our dream state, we can be almost any size and physical obstacles present no problem," said Kales as he marched through the entrance.

Once inside he stopped and listened.

"What is that noise?"

Harry listened hard and said, "I think it’s Peeves. He’s a poltergeist so he’s often up to no good during the night. It sounds like he’s in the Trophy room upstairs."

Kales shrank to the size of a bird and they flew towards the noise.

They entered the Trophy room and landed on the floor a few feet directly in front of Peeves, who was cackling madly to himself as he threw silverware all over the floor. Harry noticed that His and Ron’s awards from their Second Year had joined the others.

Kales grew bigger again and went right up to the poltergeist, but Peeves did not react at all.

"Wouldn’t this poltergeist normally react if he saw us?"

"I expect he would," agreed Harry.

"So, you can see that we can see things and people in the real world but they cannot see or hear us. See those cups and shields strewn over the floor? I want you to remember their position and come back here early tomorrow morning, as soon as you wake. Come as early as you can and check how similar what we can see tonight is to the waking world."

Harry looked at the mess Peeves had created and hoped Filtch didn’t decide to get up early tomorrow.

At once Harry admonished himself. This was stupid. How could he see what was really happening from a dream?

Kales turned and flew back down to the lobby, not bothering to make himself small again. This time they flew straight through walls and floors. They were just about to leave when Kales turned back.

"What are those, Boy?"

"They show the points earned by all the Houses. There are four because it’s one hourglass for each house."

"Can you add and deduct points?"

"Yes, I’m a prefect. Well, I was, anyway."

"Have a go now."

Harry thought Kales was just being silly now, but as this was only a dream, what harm would be done?

"Five points from Slytherin," said Harry and five emeralds actually flew out of the Slytherin hour glass.

"Will you notice five points in the waking world?" asked Kales, "Go on, take a hundred at least."

*

Harry woke early the next morning. It was a few minutes before he realised he was supposed to check the Trophy room. He dressed quickly and ran all the way there.

Filtch had indeed made an early start. Harry could hear him complaining loudly to his cat, Mrs Norris.

Harry sneaked into the room. Filtch had picked up about a third of the cups and shields from the floor, but Harry was amazed to see the remaining items were in exactly the same position has he’d dreamt.

He really had been here last night.

Harry realised that Mrs Norris was becoming curious so he made a quick exit.

On his way back he wondered what limits there were to this dream travelling. Kales certainly didn’t want him wandering off just yet. He wondered precisely what were the dangers of the dream world. So far he’d seen nothing of concern, although he could understand what Kales had meant about becoming lost. Some of the Castle walls were incredibly thick.

Then he suddenly remembered the points he’d deducted last night and rushed down to the entrance lobby to look in the house point totals.

Harry laughed out loud as soon as he saw the hour glasses.

Somehow, he really had deducted those points. Chuckling, he searched his pockets for his Prefect badge.

"Good morning, Harry," said Dumbledore from behind him.

"Morning, Sir," replied Harry, still chuckling to himself and realising he’d left his badge upstairs. "Could I ask a favour? I’ve left my Prefect’s Badge upstairs and I wanted to, er, add some points to Slytherin."

Dumbledore didn’t look at all surprised by this unusual request.

"Certainly, Harry," he said. "One hundred points, wasn’t it?"

"One hundred and five, actually," Harry replied sheepishly.

The emeralds dropped back into the giant hour glass and the Slytherin points total was reinstated.

"Did you see us, Sir?"

"No, Harry, but I obviously knew someone had deducted some points I couldn’t account for."

"Sorry, Sir."

"Harry, I don’t think there are many students who would quite so readily have returned those points."

Harry smiled.

"Sir, how far can you travel? In the dream state, I mean."

"Well, I’ve been able to get about 400 miles from my starting point, so far. Fortunately that now includes the Hogwarts castle and a little of the forest. It takes some getting used to, but for some reason one always starts in the same place. You will feel your limitations as a kind of pain within you. Something always tries to pull you back to your starting point.

"I must say, I’m rather envious of you. It took me decades just to see the Hogwarts entrance gates. I began in the middle of Norfolk, not nearly as interesting as here."

"Hey, I could search the forest!" said Harry, suddenly realising the potential of his new ability.

"Not for a long while," warned Dumbledore seriously. "The dream world is very dangerous, especially for the unprepared mind. Please follow Kales’ instructions and advice. If you became lost or hurt in your dream state you might never wake."

"Can people interact in the dream state, Sir?"

"Sometimes and then only to a very limited extent."

Harry paused, pondering a new concern.

"Sir, can my dream state be used by Voldemort? Could he control me there?"

"I suspect that Kales will be concerned about that as well. Ask him when you next see him."

6. Apology

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Five: Apology

Once again Harry took a deep breath but rather than hesitating, this time he actually knocked firmly on Professor Snape’s office door.

Hearing, "Come!" he entered.

Snape was putting a large black bound book back on a shelf away from his desk but turned and sneered at him as soon as he looked to see who had entered.

"I seem to recall, Potter, that I told you never to come back here again. Get out of my sight."

Harry expected this welcome and ignored him. He closed the door, walked across and sat in the seat opposite Snape’s desk.

For a moment, Harry thought Snape would have a seizure.

"Are you incapable of understanding simple instructions?" began Snape, sounding quite aghast at Harry’s impertinence.

Harry though, realised that Snape’s anger was making him calmer, if anything.

"Please, sit down, Professor," he asked gently.

Snape, however, continued to rant on. Several deducted points later, Harry tried again, saying, "Please sit down, Professor, I would like a word with you."

Snape paused to draw breath.

Harry opened the bag he’d brought in with him and placed a heavy stone bowl on the desk. Harry knew Snape would recognise it instantly as Professor Dumbledore’s pensieve.

Snape’s curiosity appeared to be getting the better of him as he stayed quiet for a moment.

Using the pushing technique taught to him by Professor Harbinger, Harry drew Snape’s chair back from his desk, giving him a clear invitation to sit down.

"I’m not impressed by your party tricks, Potter," snarled Snape.

"By way of an apology," said Harry, "I’d like to show you some of my memories. This will make them more clear than before and you’ll see what was actually going on. I think you may have seen part of this already."

"What are you babbling about, Potter?" said Snape, sitting down.

He immediately looked furious with himself for doing so, but remained seated.

"Bear with me," said Harry. "I only learned how to use this pensieve last night and I’m not too good at getting the right memory yet."

Harry took out his wand and smiled to himself. It felt like it been a long time since he’d used anything but his Apprentice Piece and he felt a thrill of delight whenever he used his original wand again. Somehow he appreciated it so much more.

Perhaps it was the influence of the Apprentice Piece, but the feeling he had from the moment he held his wand in Mr Ollivander’s shop came back to him every time he held it. The only difference being that for some spells he was now fighting to control the power of the effect.

Harry held the wand to his forehead and closed his eyes. He thought back to just the particular moment he wanted Snape to see. He slowly moved the wand tip away and dropped the gossamer fine strand of thought into the pensieve.

He finally opened his eyes again and smiled at Snape, pleased he had been able to do it properly. This appeared just to annoy him.

Harry gingerly pushed the pensieve towards Snape.

"These are a selection of memories from before I came to Hogwarts. I’d like you to watch them with me. I need you to see something."

*

Harry and Snape stood in a Primary School playground.

The circle of children before them broke up upon hearing a hand bell that signalled the end of break. Left lying before them on the tarmac was a bloody and beaten Harry. He got up and gingerly inspected the damage, clearly more concerned about his glasses and clothes than the cuts, bruises and nosebleed. He then hobbled off to lessons.

"Tonight I’ll be locked in my cupboard with no dinner because I got blood on my shirt."

Snape looked on as impassive as ever.

"They didn’t always catch me. I got much faster later on." said Harry. "You noticed the big, fat one with the fists? He’s my cousin."

Snape nodded.

"Somehow, though, the taunts always hurt more than the kicks and punches."

Snape turned at last to Harry but remained silent.

"I’d heard my father’s voice before, when the dementors came close in Third Year. But the first time I saw him properly was in your memories. I was in complete shock. Everything you’d ever said about him appeared to be true."

Snape’s expression changed slightly.

"I was wrong to look into your memories, and I apologise for that. You were understandably angry and were right to throw me out. I was, however, wrong for not coming back. I should have told you then. I’m sorry."

Snape said nothing. Instead he grasped Harry’s firmly elbow and they found themselves back again on opposite sides of Snape’s desk.

As Harry returned his memories as Dumbledore had taught him, he said, "I’m not going to ask you not to tell anyone what you’ve seen. Instead, I’m just going to trust you."

Snape seemed to be taken aback by this statement.

"I would, however, ask you to consider a request,"

At once, Snape’s expression became impassive again.

"I’ve tried to show you that I’m not my father, no matter how alike you think we are. Hate me if you want, but hate me. My father is gone. Hate his memory if you must, but please don’t just transfer your feelings for him onto me."

Snape didn’t react. He knew he wouldn’t.

"One more thing," Harry added as he carefully returned the pensieve to his bag. "It seems pretty obvious that you left those particular memories in the pensieve, knowing I would be too curious to resist."

*

"How did it go?" asked Hermione with concern as soon as she got to Harry’s side. She knew he was going to Snape but didn’t know any details of what Harry was proposing.

They were standing in main entrance lobby and Harry was looking up at the great hour glasses.

Rubies were still flying out of the Gryffindor hour glass at an alarming rate.

"That well?"

*

Professor McGonagall gave Harry a stern look and invited him inside her office. He had been expecting her to summon him, although this hadn’t made him feel better about it.

"I have been informed that you have not been attending Professor Binns’ OWL classes, Potter."

Harry had decided to skip the Christmas exam re-sits and re-take his History OWL in the summer again.

"I know," said Harry looking down, "it’s just that I keep dozing off, like everyone else. Only Hermione used to be able to stay awake or keep me awake sometimes."

Harry could have sworn that she almost smiled at this comment.

"Potter, you undertook to re-sit your History of Magic OWL. You need to study in order to pass."

Harry nodded and said flatly, "Hermione may have mentioned it a couple of times."

"The Headmaster thought a change in teaching style might help. He has engaged a temporary teacher who will be covering some revision areas. Please make sure you attend classes from now on."

Harry sighed miserably, but agreed.

7. History Classes

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Six: History Classes

"Professor Snape?" Hermione asked nervously at the end of their Potions class. "Harry and I were wondering if you would be kind enough to give us additional Potions lessons to we can keep up."

Snape glared at her but his expression turned to a sneer as he turned to Harry.

"I’m not sure Mr Potter has time for additional lessons. He still owes me three detentions from last week."

"Please, Professor," she persisted, "Potions is such an important subject and we’d never do as well without you teaching us."

"Indeed," he replied coldly, "but apparently not important enough for you to attend in accordance with your timetables."

"But-" began Hermione, before she was interrupted by Snape.

"However," Snape continued, "I recognise that Professor Harbinger’s death has caused certain difficulties for the Headmaster. In addition, Professor Flitwick has made a personal plea on your behalf. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t consider it, but provided you attend all of the additional periods we agree and you satisfactorily complete all the coursework I assign, then I will consent to provide you will additional lessons."

"Thank you, Professor," Hermione said in surprise.

Harry was too stunned to say anything.

"You will be issued with revised timetables tomorrow. Leave now, I have important matters to attend to."

*

Harry entered the History of Magic classroom. This was a Fifth Year revision class. As usual, Harry immediately looked for a seat at the back but unfortunately all those places were taken. Everybody seemed to be getting comfortable for an hour’s sleep again.

Harry found a seat at the front, thoroughly wishing he hadn't promised to attend.

To his surprise, Perenelle entered the classroom and announced she would be taking the class for a few weeks.

"What have you covered so far?" she asked.

No-one had the remotest idea.

Tutting, Perenelle consulted her syllabus and said they should start with the Goblin revolts.

She pointed her wand at each of the four walls in turn and muttered an incantation. Each wall was eventually covered by a thick, cascading, white mist that flowed down slowly and covered the floor completely.

Suddenly it grew much colder and they felt a wind blow.

Harry felt his desk tilt slightly and realised there was uneven grass underneath his feet. It was as if they were in the middle of a field.

Harry now heard noises far off in the distance. Squinting, he could just about see flaming torches far off into the mist.

Perenelle pointed and said, "Over there are the armies of Groden, leader of the revolt. The wizarding armies are way over there, lead by Spoad-Brown. They do not know that another contingent of goblins is waiting somewhere over there. This is the morning of the battle and the charge will start in a minute."

The class listened intently. Harry could hear the thundering sound of a horse galloping towards them. Suddenly a knight in full armour and on horseback charged out of the mist and pulled up.

"Madam, this is a battlefield," he said indignantly, "kindly remove yourself and your charges from the field so we can continue."

Perenelle ignored him.

"This is the leader of the wizarding armies. Notice his armour was contemporary and was only slightly modified from Muggle developed armour. In many ways the Muggle armour technology was superior and, like so many other advances, was quickly adopted and adapted by the wizards of the day. Note also the standards and shield markings."

Harry could now see hills surrounding them. It was almost daybreak and the mist was slowly rising to give a spectacular view of the battlefield. Unfortunately, it looked like they would be right in the middle.

"Madam, will you please move!"

They heard another horse and rider approach at speed from the other direction.

Perenelle continued. "This is Groden, the Goblin leader. He survived today’s battle but was murdered shortly after over an argument about some gold. He was considered one of the most ruthless and brilliant strategists of his time. He personally beheaded Spoad-Brown later this morning and paraded his head around on a spike."

"Spoad-Brown, what’s the hold up?" the goblin said, "Are you showing off again?"

"Madam, I really must insist," blustered Spoad-Brown. "The rules of engagement for warfare under paragraph 5 sub-section 2 clearly state-"

Harry was strongly reminded of Percy.

"And people wonder why I killed you," said Groden dryly to several laughs.

"As you can see, Spoad-Brown was considered an idiot."

The lesson, or rather the re-enacted battle, ended a while later when bell rang indicating the lesson was over.

The mist and the remaining protagonists disappeared with a wave of Perenelle’s wand, together with more than a few stray limbs.

"Next time I’ll be inviting Groden to quiz you on this battle and the events that lead up to it. He’ll bring his mace," she added casually. "There should also be time to see the fight that broke out when the peace agreement was finally signed. You may go."

Perenelle left the classroom with a wide smile on her face, leaving the class in stunned silence.

Harry had never had a History of Magic lesson like it.

He walked back over to his desk to collect his bag. Everyone had moved around trying to avoid the combatants.

Looking down, he realised that the blood that had covered most of himself and his classmates had also now gone.

8. The Class Assistants

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Seven: The Class Assistants

"Er, Hi," said Harry nervously after he’d placed his bag on the desk at the front of a sullen class of First Years. Harry had been inwardly dreading this moment. Ron had enjoyed poking fun at him, telling him he would need counselling after. Hermione, of course, had brushed off Ron’s warnings and had enthusiastically prepared detailed lesson plans for them both.

"For those that don’t know me, my name is Harry Potter and I have been asked to assist teaching you for a few weeks up to your exams. Any questions?"

A girl sitting in the front row put her hand up and asked, "Do we call you Professor Potter?"

"No, I’m a student same as you. Please call me Harry. Who wants to show me what you’ve done so far?"

Only five uncertain hands went up and most of those who started to put their hand up, soon dropped them back down again.

"Okay, you five come up front. It was Professor Harbinger’s practice to let volunteers off homework, so we’ll carry on with that, shall we?"

Harry smiled hearing the stifled groan.

Clearly many of them were still upset to hear Harbinger’s name.

He asked each of the volunteers what they thought they could do best and got them to show the class. Only one of the efforts, a Lumos wand lighting spell, could be described as done well. Harry realised that Harbinger’s death would be distracting them.

"Not bad at all," said Harry encouragingly. "Who can do anything else?"

A few more hands went up and Harry got them to demonstrate. With some encouragement, by the end of the lesson Harry had got everyone to attempt something.

"Very good everyone," Harry said grinning. "One point for everyone that volunteered. Looks like no homework this time."

*

Harry sat down at lunchtime and stared at the History of Magic essay he’d just got back. More specifically, he was staring at the grade he’d been given.

Hermione had suggested that Harry should do the essay as if he were under examination conditions since he’d studied the same time period before last year. Harry had been more than a little sceptical but had agreed on the condition that she should read it before he had to hand it in so he could amend it if the essay was that bad.

Hermione had shooed away anyone that got even close to Harry during the half hour she’d estimated he should take.

The question posed which formed the basis for the essay, concerned the negotiations that followed the battle they’d seen in their first lesson with Perenelle. Over three more weeks, they’d also witnessed the actual negotiations as well as excerpts of some of the consequences.

Sometimes Perenelle had stopped the negotiations and invited an historical character to explain their views more fully. Even Spoad-Brown’s decapitated head contributed, although he mainly quoted articles of war.

When Harry had completed Hermione’s examination, he knew that he was recalling detail and dates far easier than ever before. In addition, for the first time ever in a History of Magic test, Harry found he was still writing at the end of the time allowed.

Hermione had read through his essay and almost immediately confirmed it was fine. Still, he wasn’t really prepared for the mark he’d received.

"Well done, Harry!" exclaimed Hermione when he showed her his paper. "What’s wrong?"

"Well, a couple of things, actually," said Harry quietly.

Hermione leaned closer to listen.

"Do you think this is a genuine grade? Is it really worth an E?"

"Actually, yes I do," said Hermione. "Not only were the dates and main events correct, you also summarised the main points very well. I think you dropped marks in explaining the modern day consequences though."

Harry thought carefully about what Hermione had said and nodded. She was right about his not fully knowing the modern day consequences.

"What else?" she prompted.

Harry didn’t answer at once. Hermione waited patiently while he thought how he could express his thoughts. From the half smile on her face, though, he thought Hermione had already decided what he was going to say.

"Well," he said quietly, "it’s about the actual OWL exam, really." Hermione nodded in understanding but didn’t interrupt.

"After what happened the last time-"

Hermione’s expression changed immediately. She grabbed his hand, suddenly with watery eyes.

Harry turned and gently placed his other hand over hers.

"It’s okay," he said gently, "I shouldn’t have mentioned it."

*

Kales was waiting for Harry when he appeared in the Quidditch stadium. Harry was now able to move into this dream state almost at will now. Before he had to wait until he fell asleep but lately he had been able to will himself there.

"Tonight, Harry," said Kales seriously, "I will show you something that may disturb you a little. No harm will come of it but you may wish to consult young Albus tomorrow. He will be understanding and can give you better advice about such matters."

"Can I ask you something, Kales?" asked Harry.

"Of course, Boy."

"Will Voldemort be able to attack me here? Can he even come here?"

"Well, he himself cannot travel in this place. Your Apprentice Piece gave you access, as it did for young Albus and indeed myself. However, he could still harm you."

Harry listened intently.

"There are two ways that I can think of. The first would be if, in your dream state, you encountered him in the waking world. You are both linked. There would be a risk that you would be drawn back into his mind rather than back here to your own. This is really only speculation, but I believe you would not be strong enough to fight back.

"The second way would be the use of an agent sent here. This agent would not be mortal but probably come from another world, although some creatures do inhabit this world could also cause you harm.

"Of course, having said that, the easiest way for you to come to harm would be if you fell through one of the doors into another dream world. I’m not sure you’d recognise one just yet and I’m positive you would not have the strength to return. I call them dream worlds, but for some they will be a reality.

"Whatever, you will be safe here in this stadium. Voldemort cannot see or hear anything that you dream in this place."

"What is so special about this place?" asked Harry.

"Long before this school was built, this place was a place of worship. Within the grounds there are still the remains of the stone circle erected. In fact, this place has a special significance that predates even the stone circles. There is a single stone that is all that remains of that significance, and it is buried far below us, long forgotten. Actually, the stone circle builders got their calculations wrong or I suspect we’d be standing in the circle instead of inside a stadium."

"I just assumed we started here because I liked flying," said Harry.

"Actually, the people who placed the original stone rather liked flying too. Those ancients have long since moved on but I like to think they would much rather have a Quidditch stadium above them than some boring stone circle."

Harry laughed.

"Now, if there are no more questions, we should get going."

9. A Shocking Discovery

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Eight: A Shocking Discovery

Harry and Kales stood in the centre of the Gryffindor common room. The lamps were low and the fire was almost out. The room was silent and looked quite deserted, although the house elves clearly hadn’t cleaned up yet.

"Listen," said Kales.

Harry listened carefully. There was a sort of quiet chattering. It was coming from upstairs, from the dormitories.

"Come," whispered Kales and he proceeded up the stairs.

"No, Kales, that way is up to the girl’s dormitories," said Harry and then he froze, quite shocked.

Sitting in just front of the fire was an extraordinary goblin like creature. It was small and squatting down. It was translucent like a ghost but somehow looked more solid.

"Kales, what is that thing?" whispered Harry urgently.

"That is a creature that inhabits this dream world. That one looks to have fed already. I wanted to show you some feeding. Come upstairs."

"Feeding?"

The creature moved forward hesitantly and Harry became aware that someone was lying on the settee. This thing looked like it was about to feed on them. It had a transfixed, hungry look and was barring its sharp pointed teeth.

Harry was suddenly very concerned about what the creature was about to do.

"Incendio!" said Harry and the fire burst into life. The creature snarled and ran on all fours into the shadows under some chairs.

"Who’s there?" said a voice from the settee.

Harry was somewhat surprised when two enquiring heads appeared from in front of the settee and looked around the room.

For a moment, Harry completely forgot he was invisible to the waking world.

"I’m sorry, Neville, I didn’t realise," he spluttered, forgetting he would not be heard.

"There’s no-one there," said his companion. "We should be going up now, anyway."

She kissed Neville tenderly and walked up the stairs to the dormitory. Harry stared at her in complete and utter shock.

"Come on, Boy," said Kales impatiently, and followed the girl upstairs.

Harry followed in a daze, and got just past the dormitory door when he stopped and said resolutely, "Kales, this isn’t right. I’m not going any further. I’m going back now."

Kales turned and sighed.

"Let’s go back then."

*

"Good morning, Harry," said Dumbledore, sitting himself down next to Harry. "Kales visited me briefly last night. He was most concerned about you."

Harry nodded but continued to stare off into space.

"I saw something last night that I’m having trouble dealing with," said Harry.

He paused, knowing he was being closely observed by Dumbledore.

"Sir, can I confide in you? Completely, I mean."

"You have my word, Harry. What is troubling you?"

Harry sighed.

"Last night, Kales told me he was going to show me something disturbing. He was right, but I didn’t get to see what he wanted me to see."

Harry turned to face Dumbledore and looked around to check that the courtyard they were sitting in was still deserted.

"When we were in the common room, Kales wanted to go upstairs to show me something. I saw a creature downstairs and I started up the fire again to scare it away. I’m not sure it did really, but I did disturb a couple I hadn’t realised were there."

Dumbledore nodded in understanding.

"I was just totally shocked to see them. I had no idea they were even a couple, actually. After I got over the initial shock, I realised I had intruded upon something that was very private. I had no right to be there, even if they didn’t know I was. I just couldn’t go upstairs after that."

Dumbledore waited a moment before responding.

"Harry, you will have realised by now that I too have travelled though this castle and have also seen things that were, and will remain, an entirely private matter. You are the only person here at Hogwarts that knows I can monitor the school’s activities in quite such an intimate manner. If people knew, I suspect they would be upset and perhaps a little paranoid."

Harry nodded.

"There has been occasion when I have been able to prevent harm coming to individuals, and I feel that justifies my actions. Even so, there have been times when I feel I have intruded and have of course left immediately."

"The thing is," said Harry a little shakily, "after we visited the castle for the first time, I kept thinking I could go anywhere, see anything, even-"

"-and yet," interrupted Dumbledore gently, "you were unable even to climb the stairs. Harry, just let your conscience continue to guide you. The wand didn’t choose a voyeur; it chose someone who cares for the feelings of others. It chose well."

Harry sighed.

"The real difficulty," continued Dumbledore, "is maintaining people’s confidences and secrets. It is sometimes hard not to reveal some part of what you have seen."

"I feel I should go and apologise to them."

"But how will you explain what you have seen?"

Dumbledore rose, straightened his robes and bid Harry goodbye.

*

Harry entered the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom and felt the smile fade from his face. He’d been looking forward to seeing them again but the First Years looked quite as miserable as the first time he’d taken them. They appeared to brighten up a little upon seeing him though.

A hand shot up almost at once.

"Yes?" he enquired.

"Do you want our essays for marking?"

"Essays?" Harry asked blankly. "I don’t remember setting any essays."

He put his bag down and took one of the scrolls being offered. It was certainly a very long essay.

Then he remembered, Hermione had taken their last class. They had decided to alternate classes so they both got to teach each of the House groups.

"Sorry, I didn’t realise Hermione had set any homework," he said reading the title of the essay. "I’m impressed you’re up to this level already. Who can show me some of this?"

He looked up. No hands were being offered.

Finally the girl next to where Harry was standing said, "Miss Granger did show us but we couldn’t do it."

Harry nodded and smiled.

"Hermione probably thought that researching the subject would help you learn it easier," he said returning the scroll. "The thing is, I often find that while the books might describe the words and the effects, rarely to they give any feel for the magic. Why don’t we review the steps? Wands out, everybody."

*

Ginny rushed into the common room, looked around quickly and then breezed over to where Harry was sitting. He was trying to catch up with some of his homework.

"Hi, Harry! I need a favour," she said brightly. "Would you like a break?"

"Sure, Ginny," he said looking up and smiling, glad of an excuse to stop. "What do you want?"

"Thanks, Harry," said Ginny and without hesitating she lightly touched his arm with the end of her wand.

"Ow!" yelled Harry, knowing at once she had just broken his arm. "What did you do that for?"

"We need some volunteer patients for our First Aid club. Go on up to the Hospital Wing, will you? Have you seen Ron?"

"No," Harry lied as he got up.

10. The First Aid Club

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Nine: The First Aid Club

"Hi, Harry," said Neville, smiling. "Got you too, did she?"

Harry snorted and nodded. Neville was also nursing a broken arm.

"I think we got off lightly, actually," said Harry, nodding to the others waiting in the Hospital Wing. At least Neville and he could walk. Everyone else was lying on a bed, looking warily at the all too eager looking would-be-healers of the First Aid Club.

Eventually, Ginny came in closely followed by Hermione.

Hermione gave Ginny a, "why so many?" look.

Ginny responded with a, "so what?" look.

Then Madam Pomfrey appeared and immediately assigned two First Aiders to each patient.

Harry was hoping to get Hermione but instead got two over excited looking Second Year girls.

Harry only caught snatches of Madam Pomfrey’s instructions.

"Don’t take any nonsense from your patients … Make sure they know who is in charge … Don’t be afraid to inflict pain … Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind."

Meanwhile, Harry’s healers were consulting each other on his diagnosis. They did this through a series of secretive whispers and giggles until finally, both wearing strangely manic expressions, they set to work.

"Er, it’s my arm, actually," offered Harry to one of them.

He wished she would point her wand somewhere else.

"It is usually best to cut away the clothing from the affected area," said Madam Pomfrey from somewhere down the ward.

"Hey, these trousers are almost new!" said Harry in alarm. "My arm, remember?"

"What is all this fuss?" asked Madam Pomfrey. "Oh, it’s you. Don’t worry girls, Potter is always a troublesome patient. Take your trousers off if you don’t want them cut."

"Madam Pomfrey, it’s my arm that needs mending."

"Oh," she said as both girls dissolved in fits of giggles. "Well, fix his arm first, will you girls? You can do a more thorough examination after."

*

A couple of hours later, Harry walked back to the common room with Hermione.

"That First Aid club is really a good idea," said Harry. "I have to admit they did a good job on my arm too. I was hoping I’d get you, though. At least you would have left my trousers alone."

"You might have regretted it if I did," said Hermione sadly. "Ginny had to re-break poor Neville’s arm three times before I got it right."

"I’m sure he didn’t mind," said Harry smiling. "Any time you want to practice, you can always break my arm."

"Thanks Harry," she replied smiling. "Actually, I’m amazed she managed to get so many volunteers."

Harry pondered an answer for a moment but Hermione continued, apparently following a new train of thought.

"Have you noticed anything about Neville, lately?"

"Er," said Harry, playing for time.

"Is it just me or is he a lot more confident now?"

Harry was now feeling very uncomfortable. He felt like just running away. Anything would be better than admitting he knew anything.

"Um, I really need to get that Potions homework finished," said Harry, wishing he could think of something better to distract Hermione with.

Hermione stopped immediately and looked at him with a penetrating stare.

"You know, don’t you?"

"N-No. It’s really none of-," he spluttered feeling his face go red.

Hermione just raised her eyebrows and Harry found he couldn’t maintain eye contact with her.

"Look," he whispered urgently, "I don’t know anything and even if I did I would lie about it. Neville is my friend. He’s our friend. He doesn’t deserve to be spied upon or speculated about."

Hermione looked quite shocked.

"Of course he’s our friend. I didn’t. I mean. What?"

"I’m sorry, Hermione. I had no right to speak to you like that," said Harry. "Let’s just get back, shall we?"

*

Back in the common room, Hermione departed immediately for the girl’s dormitories. They hadn’t spoken a single word together since Harry’s apology.

Harry watched her disappear with a sinking feeling. Not only had he managed to let slip that he might know something about Neville, he’d also managed make it quite clear that he didn’t think Hermione could be trusted with his confidence.

"Can this get any worse?" thought Harry.

"Er, Harry could I, er, have a quiet word with you?"

Harry looked up and saw Neville.

"Yes it can," thought Harry, in answer to his own question.

He just nodded and followed Neville outside where they walked a few paces down the corridor.

"I’m sorry, Harry," said Neville finally.

"Why?" asked Harry, stupidly.

"I overheard you and Hermione coming back from the hospital wing just now."

"Oh."

"Thank you for not saying anything to Hermione."

"It was my fault for getting flustered. I can never lie to Hermione and now of course she thinks I can’t trust her."

"How did you find out?"

"Not another soul knows, Neville, I swear," said Harry seriously. "I have no intention of telling anyone anything. Even Hermione."

"Anyone?" asked Neville with a smirk.

"No one, and I mean it," Harry replied flatly. "Neville, it was me that caused the fire to flare up that night. I had no idea anyone was in the common room. I’m so sorry."

"How?" Neville asked in amazement. "You were in bed when I crept back into our dormitory."

"Well," replied Harry carefully, "I was kind of invisible downstairs and got back before you, I suppose. I’m getting better at sneaking around."

"You must be!" said Neville, grinning.

"Neville, why are you taking this so well? You should be furious with me!"

"Well, two reasons actually. Most importantly, I know I can trust you. Secondly, I’m a little tired of sneaking around too."

Harry grinned back.

"How long have you two been sneaking around, anyway?"

Harry had known that he and Susan Bones had broken up amicably a few weeks after Halloween. In fact, they’d been getting on so well lately, Ron had actually wondered if they were seeing each other again.

"Not long at all, really," admitted Neville sheepishly.

11. Trust

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Ten: Trust

At dinner that evening, Harry was sitting next to Ron with Neville opposite. Hermione came into the Great Hall shortly after them and sat as usual next to Harry. Ginny sat down next to Hermione.

Hermione didn’t acknowledge Harry at all though, and somehow that hurt him more than his broken arm had earlier.

"Hi, Hermione," said Neville warmly as soon as she’d made herself comfortable.

Ginny grabbed a couple of plates and placed one in front of Hermione.

"Hi," Hermione replied with a small smile. Harry was anguished to see that her eyes were puffy and red from crying.

Neville leaned towards her a little, and quietly said, "I’m afraid Harry thinks he may have upset you. You see, he was only trying to keep a confidence."

Hermione looked up at him, frowning slightly.

"I think he was wrong though," he added easily, "I can’t think of anything I could trust Harry with that I couldn’t trust you with."

Hermione smiled, and said, "Thank you, Neville. That is a wonderful thing to say."

Harry reached under the table and held her hand.

"I’m so sorry, Hermione," Harry whispered, knowing she would not tolerate a bigger display of his affection in the Great Hall in front of everyone.

She gave him a watery smile.

"Anyway," said Neville, a little louder and turning his attention to the meal before them, "Harry was telling me earlier about a new trick he can do."

"Er, Neville," warned Harry nervously.

Ginny and Hermione were now both looking at Neville with curious expressions.

"He can make the common room fire flare up. Apparently, he’s been practicing at night. Usually, around one in the morning."

Hermione was frowning now, but Ginny had just frozen still.

"What are you talking about, Neville? Harry’s been able to start a fire for ages," said Ron absently as he reached for more potatoes. "He still sets fire to most things he tries to scurgify, anyway."

Ginny looked at Neville and raised her eyebrows by the barest amount, Harry saw. Neville smiled slightly and gave a small nod back to her. Hermione appeared to be silently taking in this exchange. Ginny looked down at her plate for a moment while Neville reached for what was left of the potatoes.

Without warning, Ginny pushed her plate to one side, leaped up onto her chair and stepped straight across the table.

"Ginny, have you gone mad?" asked Ron, as several laughs and remarks about Ginny’s jumping over the table were heard across the hall.

Sitting down next to Neville, she pulled her plate over and Neville calmly served her what remained of the potatoes.

"You know you’ll get a detention, don’t you?" continued Ron.

"Shut up, Ron," Ginny replied casually, although blushing a little. "I just wanted some potatoes, that’s all."

"Mad. Completely bonkers," muttered Ron, returning to his meal.

"Is anything wrong, Miss Weasley?"

"Er, no, thank you, Professor Dumbledore," answered Ginny, going very red.

None of them had noticed his approach.

"That’s alright, then," he said with a warm smile. "Madam Pomfrey tells me your First Aid Club was a great success. Will you be continuing?"

"Oh, yes," Ginny said brightly, "so long as we get enough volunteers. I was hoping Ron would help out but I couldn’t find him in time for today."

"No doubt his Prefect duties prevented him. I’m sure he’ll be available for the next time. What do you plan to be studying?"

"Bowel reinstatement, Sir," she said with a wicked smile at Ron.

Ron just gulped.

"Ah, yes. Bowel extraction is an unusual Quidditch injury, to be sure. But I can’t deny I feel happier already knowing that trained people will be on-hand just in case. Well done for volunteering, Mr Weasley."

Dumbledore continued walking up to the staff table, leaving everyone except Ron laughing.

*

"Ron, stop worrying," said Hermione the next morning. "Ginny wouldn’t really do that to you. We are studying sprains and support dressings next time, honestly."

"She would, you know," he replied absently.

"Come off it. Harry and Neville have volunteered again. Neville wouldn’t be that stupid, even if Harry would."

Harry snorted, and said, "Thanks, Hermione. We’re going to be late for Potions again."

"Sorry," said Ron, "I’ll see you later," and he walked off to his class.

"We need to talk," said Hermione quietly as they walked down to the dungeons. "I need to tell you something."

"Morning break?"

"No, sorry. I’ve asked to see Professor McGonagall then."

Harry nodded and held the potions classroom door open for her. They were the last to enter and he closed the door behind them.

"Walk around the lake at lunchtime?" offered Harry as they got to their usual places.

*

Harry knocked on Professor McGonagall’s office door at almost the end of the morning break. She opened the door and beckoned him inside where Hermione was already seated.

Hermione gave him a weak smile and Harry wondered again why he had been summoned. Professor McGonagall sat at her desk.

"Please take a seat. Miss Granger is considering giving up her teaching assistant duties, Potter"

"What?" Harry said in complete surprise. "No way! Why?"

Hermione looked down looking a little red. He dropped his bag and sat down, looking intently at Hermione.

"Why, Hermione?" he asked again more gently, but he couldn’t hide his disappointment. "I thought you loved teaching. You did so much preparation."

"But it didn’t do any good," she said, still looking down. "I wanted to teach so badly. When I walk into the classroom, they look so disappointed it’s not you, Harry. The worst thing is, they’re not learning."

Harry glanced at Professor McGonagall. She was looking warmly at Hermione with a small smile on her face.

"Hermione, they are learning. Loads," he added gently.

"And you never set any homework," said Hermione, as if determined to prove it was all Harry’s fault.

"I deliberately didn’t set any homework just for the first lesson. They were still very upset about Professor Harbinger so I made sure they all qualified for exemption. I’ve been setting them reading and practise mostly but also a couple of short summaries."

"And you give them loads of points."

"I do give as many points as I can. No more than one point per person per class so far and all of them are earned. It’s true though, that I’ve given more points for attempting something than I have for pure attainment. I want them to be keen to try new things."

"They still aren’t learning anything. Well, not until you show them, anyway."

"Well," said Harry deliberately slowly, trying to give the impression he was going to agree with her.

Hermione’s head shot up and he grinned at her.

"Honestly, Hermione," he said smiling. "There are only two areas that I can see you might want to review. The first is homework. You might have submitted four foot essays in our First Year but it wasn’t expected from the rest of us."

"Well, I just wanted them to do well," Hermione responded a little sheepishly.

"The second thing is really just to show a little patience. I know it takes time but some people need more attention than others. I know you can do it. Just look at what you’ve managed to teach me."

Hermione just shook her head miserably.

"All I’ve tried to do," continued Harry, "is what you’ve always done when I can’t do anything. Show, explain and encourage. If you can teach me, Hermione, you can teach anyone."

Hermione sighed.

"You know," said Harry, "not one of them would let me go until they’d all been able to do that last vampire banishment spell. We all lost a whole lunchtime doing it. Why was that? The same reason they all managed to do those gargantuan essays."

Hermione’s eyes began to water.

"None of them wanted to let you down. They look up to you. They all want to be as good as you and make you proud of them. Please don’t give up now. They need you and will want you to continue."

Hermione sniffed and produced a small handkerchief from her sleeve.

"I note you didn’t take their essays in for marking," she said dabbing her eyes.

"Too heavy to carry," Harry said at once. "Actually, I told them they should keep them for extra protection. You know, so they could whack any vampires with them!"

He mimed a swinging motion as if he held an invisible bat.

Professor McGonagall snorted loudly, as did Hermione.

"I’m sorry," said McGonagall, recovering herself. "It takes practise to teach at any level and it takes time to find a style that is comfortable and productive. What works for one teacher won’t work for another. In the short period you’ve been filling in, your pupils have made significant advances. Above all they are enthusiastic. I think they look up to both of you," she added proudly.

"Hermione, I think that Harry has a point regarding setting homework," she continued. "That’s in no way a criticism."

She turned to Harry.

"Harry, I think you need to increase the amount of theory based learning," she continued. "Please remember that they’ll be taking written papers in their examinations. I know you feel that there should be a greater practical examination element for the First Years, but that will not happen in the immediate future. Remember that the written element is by far the greater part of the overall mark, although in my experience those with practical skills generally do well in the written papers as well."

Harry nodded in agreement.

Professor McGonagall stood and Harry and Hermione followed suit.

"You should have heard the complaints I received the other day when I suggested they should remain to copy down all their Transfiguration homework," she said smiling. "Apparently they didn’t want to risk being late for your classes. I must be losing my touch."

*

As soon as they were out of Professor McGonagall’s office, Harry dragged Hermione into an empty classroom.

"Why didn’t you say anything? It’s me who keeps things bottled up inside, remember?" he said gently.

Hermione smiled weakly back at him and shrugged.

"I meant what I said, you know that, right?"

She nodded, still a little tearful.

Harry began to lean in towards her, but unfortunately they were interrupted by a class of Third Years jeering at them.

"Come on," said Hermione at once, "or we’ll be late."

*

Hermione sat on her favourite rock on the far side of the lake and waited patiently for Harry’s temper to subside.

Eventually he stopped pacing up and down.

"I ask you? Fifty Points! Again! Is that in any way fair? And I’m all muddy!" he ranted on, finally ending with, "What are you smirking about?"

"I’m not smirking, Harry," Hermione replied with some difficulty, "I’m just trying not to laugh. No, it wasn’t fair that Professor Snape took fifty points. We’ll soon make those up again, though. In case you hadn’t noticed, the lake is wet and thus the ground at the edge of the lake gets muddy. You will continue to get all muddy so long as you insist on pacing up and down at the water’s edge."

"Hah, hah," he replied dryly, sitting down next to her. "Okay, I’m done for now. What did you want to talk about?"

"Let’s start with Neville and Ginny."

"Yeah, I really handled that well, didn’t I?" said Harry, examining his muddy clothes. "You kind of caught me out. You may have gathered that I promised not to tell anyone. I admitted to Neville that I saw them both in the common room. I had no idea they were there. Neville took the news surprisingly well, actually. He said he trusted me, and you obviously, which was really nice to hear."

"It was good of him, wasn’t it?" she agreed, looping her arm around his and pulling him close to her.

Harry pointed his wand down to his feet but Hermione quickly grabbed his hand.

"Harry, let me do the scurgify spell. You don’t want to spend the afternoon with burnt clothes."

"Hermione," he said indignantly. "I know I’ve set fire to a couple of things accidentally, but I’m nowhere near as bad as Ginny likes to claim. It just took me a while to control the strength, that’s all."

Hermione just raised her eyebrows and smiled.

Harry decided not to perform the cleaning spell after all. Instead he continued with their conversation.

"Yes. I don’t think they’ve been seeing each other long," he said.

Hermione smiled to herself and cleaned his robes, trouser bottoms and shoes with a single wave of her wand.

"Thanks," he whispered.

"I knew Ginny was seeing someone but she wouldn’t say anything. That’s unusual for her. I think she was protecting Neville, not herself. They’re not an obvious couple, are they?"

Harry reached down and took Hermione’s hand in his.

"I couldn’t tell Neville everything, even though he trusted me. I feel terrible about that. I’d like to tell you some of it, but only if it stays between us for now."

"Of course, Harry," she replied.

"Well, first of all, I made my promise to Neville after I made a promise to myself not to tell anyone. I felt terrible after I’d seen them. I had invaded their privacy and they had no idea at all. I confided with Dumbledore about how I felt. He said I should be guided by my conscience."

"That sounds like good advice."

"My conscience says I have to ask you something. I have been meeting with Kales fairly regularly. He comes in my dreams, just like before. He started by helping me calm down before I sleep properly. He also… Sorry, I’m getting side tracked," Harry added apologetically.

"Just lately he has shown how I can move around the castle while I’m asleep," he continued. "I can move around and go anywhere without being seen or heard.

"Kales wanted me to see something. We got as far as the inner stairs of the girl’s dormitories when I decided I couldn’t go up. It just wasn’t right."

"Describe the painting on the inside stair lobby," instructed Hermione sounding quite ill at ease now.

"Er, it was about three feet by four feet and showed a seascape. It looked rather stormy that night. The walls were plastered and you have blue carpeting on the stairs. This light was a bit dim but I think the ceiling was painted white and the walls light blue."

"You really did go there," said Hermione looking quite shocked.

"Yes. The boys’ dormitories only have bare stone! Anyway, my point is that I could have gone anywhere and seen anything. No-one would have seen me or heard me."

"That’s a little unnerving," Hermione admitted.

"I didn’t go any further than the stairs, Hermione."

"No, of course not," she said absently, clearly thinking of what Harry might have witnessed.

"Hermione, I want your permission to visit you. Just you. If you say no, I’ll never step foot there again. I promise."

Hermione bit her lip and for a moment Harry thought she would refuse.

"Harry, you are not to come earlier than midnight nor later than four am. The showers and toilets are out of bounds."

"I’m not sure I’ll bother in that case, actually," he said grinning. Hermione frowned at him. "I’m kidding! Leave out a message for me together with a blank bit of parchment. I’ll try and leave a sign I’ve visited."

12. Midnight

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Eleven: Midnight

"What do you mean, it’s not midnight yet? Come on," said Kales impatiently.

"I promised. We’re not going into the girl’s dormitory until then. Hermione insisted."

"I cannot believe you asked permission."

"It seemed the right thing to do."

The clock in the common room began to chime.

"After you," said Harry, and they proceeded through the door and up the stairs until they reached the floor occupied by the Sixth years. Harry double checked the door sign and entered.

The staircase had been dark and completely silent. He expected to find the dormitory to be the same.

Instead he found the room to be in a complete state of confusion. Lavender was sitting on her bed watching in bemusement as Hermione and Parvati stood arguing in the middle of the room. Harry could immediately see why Hermione was pleading with Parvati to show a little modesty, and managed to avert his eyes for the most part.

Almost immediately, Hermione gave up and scribbled a note which she stuck to the front of the dormitory door. It read "Midnight is too soon."

Kales became small and flew straight through the wall towards the boys’ dormitories. Harry followed. He was getting better now, although he did get disoriented travelling through the stone walls that were sometimes feet thick.

Harry gasped when he saw the sleeping boys. Before him were Ron, Neville and himself. The bed hangings of Seamus and Dean’s beds were closed. He had forgotten to close his again.

Ron and Neville had a sort of dull glow to them. Ron’s was fairly constant but Neville’s varied, sometime becoming very bright. His own body was glowing brightly all the time. The light, or whatever it was, shone through the bedclothes immediately touching them but nothing else.

Harry moved closer to his sleeping form and immediately felt a kind of strong pull towards himself. Kales pulled him away again.

"The light you can see is a form of life-force," explained Kales.

"Why does Neville’s vary like that?"

"I imagine he has a charm that has shielded his life-force. It looks like it is beginning to break."

"Why does my body have a life-force at all when I’m over here?"

"I need you to see a couple of things before I answer. Boy, look inside those hangings."

"I’m not sure I should," said Harry.

Kales flew inside and then out again, the size of a tiny bird.

"He’s fast asleep. Please, you have to know."

Reluctantly, Harry walked over and leaned through the curtains.

"What are those things?" asked Harry, totally horrified at the sight before him.

Dean was indeed fast asleep and he too had a dull glow. On the bed with him were three of the small goblin like creatures he’d seen before. Each was taking bites out of Dean. He looked completely oblivious and no physical marks were being left.

Harry could not look any longer.

"They are feeding on his life force?"

"Yes," said Kales. "They take some nourishment. Only rarely do they take enough to affect the individual in the waking world, though."

"Why aren’t they attacking Ron and Neville?"

"Because of you," said Kales. "Look there, there is one of them trying to take a bite from that boy." He was pointing at Ron and sure enough another creature was trying to get close enough to bite him. The creature was shielding it’s eyes as if blinded from the light coming from Harry’s sleeping form.

"These small creatures may look and act in what may seem like a strange and horrible way, but really they are quite harmless, even when they feed in vast numbers."

Harry wasn’t entirely convinced.

"Come back down to the other room. Time is short," said Kales and he disappeared through the floor. Harry decided to take the stairs but arrived down in the common room moments after Kales.

"Are there any creatures that can harm us in the waking world?" asked Harry.

"Yes. There are some creatures that actively seek out and feed upon those with stronger life-forces. They are alien to this world, though, and are relatively rare. I propose to show you something similar tonight. Are you prepared to go up there yet?"

Now that there might be danger lurking upstairs Harry realised he was less concerned with sensitivities.

"Let’s go," he said.

"Good. Please remember you are here to observe. Any further questions you have should wait until we get back to the safety of the stadium."

Harry nodded and Kales shrank back to the size of a bird and few up the stairs. Harry followed and soon they were back outside the Sixth Year girl’s dormitory. Harry ventured inside. The girl’s were asleep and all of their bed hangings were open. Lavender and Parvati had dull life-forces.

Hermione’s was startlingly bright.

"Why is Hermione so much brighter than everyone else?" asked Harry in wonder. "The others are dull by comparison."

"The brightness is an indication of their will to live. It could be a strong belief in themselves or perhaps in another. I’m not even sure you can see the same thing that I can. I wouldn’t describe the other auras as dull. They are just different."

Harry walked over to Hermione as she slept. On her side table there were two pieces of parchment. Harry smiled as he read her message. On the larger piece, which as blank, Harry pointed his finger and carefully drew his short message. He made marks by scorching the surface with a fine flame. When finished his message was somewhat untidy but none-the-less legible.

He looked up towards Kales and smiled.

"They are coming, Boy," said Kales quietly. "Let’s retire over there so we’re not seen. We will leave as soon as you have seen enough."

Curious, Harry followed.

Kales was now the smallest Harry had seen him. He was the size of a fly. Harry crouched down behind the end of Parvati’s bed. He looked down and realised one of the small creatures was climbing up on the dark side of Parvati’s bed, the side in shade from Hermione’s life-force. The creature froze. It then dropped to the floor and ran deeper into the shadows. It suddenly looked very afraid of something.

"I think there are two of them," whispered Kales, although Harry had no idea where he was now.

Harry looked up and to his horror two man sized creatures appeared through the outside wall. They looked like winged gargoyles. Both looked around the room and headed straight for Hermione.

At first they landed on Hermione’s bed and looked quite transfixed. They looked like they were almost basking in the life-force Hermione was emanating.

One shook his head violently and snarled at the other which then also appeared to come back to its senses.

The creatures then appeared to bite and paw at Hermione. Their claws appeared to pass deep into Hermione’s skin as they tried to rip at her life force. Hermione was asleep and showed no physical sign of being hurt by this, but looked like she could feel the clawing.

She would jerk in her sleep after a deep cut.

After a few moments the light coming from Hermione intensified and the creatures flew off the bed, clearly afraid. As the light returned to its normal level, they cautiously returned.

"Now we must go. I promise she will be fine tonight," said Kales.

Reluctantly, Harry followed.

13. Kales Departs

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Twelve: Kales Departs

Back at the stadium, Harry and Kales talked. Harry was shaking. The image of the two creatures feeding on Hermione was burned into his mind.

"In small numbers, even the larger creatures you’ve just seen can’t do too much permanent damage. I can tell you that you’ve probably had four or five attacking you every single night of your life. More since Voldemort regained his strength."

"Why not tonight though?"

"Because your life-force isn’t strong enough to attract them in numbers while you are here."

"Why didn’t they attack Hermione straight away?" asked Harry. "They looked like they were basking."

"That is true. They would not naturally attack a life force. They cannot gain any sustenance from it but it does appear to give pleasure."

"So why would they attack if they aren’t feeding?"

"Voldemort is sending them. Somehow he’s expelling them from their world and send them here as agents to do his bidding."

"Can we stop them coming?"

"That is another’s struggle," answered Kales carefully.

"How can we fight them here?"

"I’m sorry but I cannot. Even if I could stay here, I could not. Neither, I’m afraid can Young Albus. He cannot even see the creatures."

"Why can I then?"

"I suspect you can see your friends’ life-force because you are contemporaries of them. I also believe you can’t see the actual creatures themselves, only the life-force they have consumed or been bathed in."

"Is that your only theory?"

"It’s the only one you’re ready to accept for the present."

"Okay, how can I fight them?"

"You saw how they were repelled by the stronger levels of life-force? What you need is a weapon that represents the strongest life-force."

"Gryffindor’s sword?"

"Yes."

"But how can I use it in this world?"

"I honestly have no idea. You need to work it out quickly, though. Voldemort will attack in numbers very soon. Weeks possibly."

"I’ll work it out somehow. Was Neville’s charm the same as mine?"

"Ask young Albus."

"How can I change size like you do? Can I also change my form here?"

"It’s all in the mind, really. It takes a lot of practice, though. Even Young Albus is only just beginning to make progress. May I suggest that your priority should be learning how to yield the sword?"

"Yes, you’re right. Why did you choose a dragon form?"

"I’ve always liked dragons. But the truth is I didn’t want to be recognised in this world. As old as I am, there remain forces that would be unhappy to see that I have returned. You will not see me again here, although we may yet meet again. I have neglected my duties elsewhere and unfortunately Voldemort’s evil is causing upset in many places. He has much to answer for."

"Thank you for all your help, Kales. I will miss you," said Harry as they parted.

*

"Harry, what’s got into you? For the last time, I’m fine," said Hermione, sounding most annoyed.

Harry was exhausted. He had woken very tired after the night’s excursions with Kales. What was worse, Harry couldn’t get the image of the two creatures attacking Hermione as she’d slept out his mind.

"Thanks for your message, by the way," she added.

Harry smiled at her, remembering how he’d felt when wrote it. He didn’t think he could manage to express such a sentiment having seen the creatures, though.

"I saw your message on the door," he said, "What was the problem?"

"No problem," she replied lightly.

Harry sighed.

"Hermione, I saw something quite disturbing last night. Kales showed me. He’s gone, by the way."

"That’s a shame. What did you see?"

"I’m going to see Dumbledore," said Harry getting up.

"Are you sure you want to miss another Potions class?" she said quietly. "Do you even have time for another detention this week?"

*

Harry knocked on the door to the Headmaster’s office. It opened immediately and he stepped inside. Dumbledore was writing at his desk.

"Take a seat, Harry," said Dumbledore, not looking up. Harry walked over and sat heavily. "What is it?"

"Kales left last night. He showed me the creatures. They were attacking Hermione as she slept. He said Voldemort was sending them as his agents and more will come. I have to learn how to fight them. He agreed that Gryffindor’s sword might be effective because they are afraid of strong life-force."

"I see," said Dumbledore. "Do you want to take the sword?"

"No. I need it in the dream state not the real world," Harry said rubbing his tired eyes under his glasses. "I’d like permission to visit here, and take the sword if I can. I think it’s the life force that the sword represents I need, rather than the actual sword."

"That’s quite perceptive, Harry. You might try summoning it to you, though. I suspect you’ll need to be close to it the first time you try. Can you see the life force in others?"

"Yes, when they are asleep. Kales said it was because we were of similar age. He admitted that might not be the only reason."

"Harry, forgive me, but you look terrible," said Dumbledore, looking concerned. "I suggest you get some sleep."

Harry nodded weakly.

"I will inform Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey that you are excused lessons for today."

"Thank you, Sir," he replied. "I’m not sure I can sleep though. I can’t get those creatures out of my mind. Have you ever seen them?"

"I have seen the smaller creatures but no others. I have thought there was a presence one or two times, though."

They were silent for a moment.

"Was Neville’s charm placed on him at the same time as mine?"

Dumbledore smiled and said, "Within a few months, actually. His was performed in very different circumstances from yours. Neville was subjected to some very powerful magic when he was young. His charm was designed to protect him until he was strong enough. I can see in his manner that he is about to break free of it."

Harry nodded.

"Interestingly, you shared the same key to commence unlocking the charms."

"Key?"

"Indeed. Four apparently random words which you both heard the same evening."

Harry thoughts were interrupted when Dumbledore cleared his throat gently and said, "Harry, I think it’s time told you something. It concerns the circumstances surrounding the breaking of your Crucible Charm. Hermione told us that she wouldn’t tell you everything. I suspect she didn’t want to risk your being disappointed in me."

"Well, I realised she didn’t want to talk about it."

"There was so little time," Dumbledore said wistfully, then continued, "Hermione’s mother had the benefit of not being misled by Nicholas. I knew that she also saw you at St Mungos, and yet I underestimated her completely. You see, Nicholas intended to guide Hermione, not tell her everything. Hermione’s efforts were a little misdirected."

"I did wonder why Flamel didn’t consult you before telling Hermione. So was my psychological profile a waste of time?"

"Nicholas hadn’t expected Hermione to show such zeal. All he wanted was for her to think through some of the possibilities. Instead of being selfish, she really did work to find what she thought was the trigger."

Harry frowned.

"From Nicholas’ viewpoint, no harm would have been done. Our trigger event was damaged. It would not have worked anyway. Harry, it was your mother’s letters that enabled you to break the Crucible."

"Well, it was certainly after we’d read her first letter that I felt the pain in my chest."

"Indeed. The circumstances that led to the breaking of the charm are, as far as I’m concerned, something private. Thanks to Mrs Granger, and indeed your mother, things turned out alright in the end. No doubt Hermione can fill you in on the finer points."

Harry nodded.

"However, the reason I raised this is simply that I felt I should tell you what the original trigger event was. The one Nicholas and I intended, that is."

Harry frowned but then gently shook his head.

"This is something Hermione doesn’t know the truth of?"

"She does not," said Dumbledore, "nor will I ever tell her."

"How close is it to the trigger that Neville will use to break his charm?"

"They were identical. Of course, his isn’t damaged."

"I’m guessing it won’t be so different from the one that actually worked for me," Harry said to himself. Dumbledore was about to respond when Harry held up a hand.

"We’ll never speak of this again," said Harry adamantly.

Dumbledore smiled and said simply, "As you wish."

Harry thought back. Four random words.

"It was the first thing you said. Just after our sorting. You said Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, and Tweak in that order!"

Dumbledore chuckled and nodded.

"You know, after I’d said them I suddenly worried that I’d got the order wrong. Just imagine how madder I would have seemed if I had to stand up again and say, ‘Sorry, I’ll try that again!’"

14. Summoning the Sword

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Thirteen: Summoning the Sword

Harry climbed wearily back onto his bed in the deserted dormitory. He slept deeply for the entire morning but was woken by Ron trying quietly to get his things for the afternoon.

"Ron, I could hear you downstairs in the common room!"

Harry opened his eyes upon hearing Hermione’s voice.

"Shh," said Ron, "Harry’s trying to sleep."

Just as he said it, the lid of Ron’s trunk slammed down and he let out several loud curses.

Harry laughed and propped himself up. He reached for his glasses as Hermione sat on the side of his bed.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, gently holding a hand to his forehead to check his temperature.

"Much better, thanks. I slept all morning," said Harry, smiling up at her and wishing Ron would hurry up and leave.

He took her hand in his. Seeing Hermione well and smiling warmly at him made him feel so much better.

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey appeared and to Harry’s disappointment shooed both Ron and Hermione out of the room.

"I’m fine really. I just needed to sleep."

"And why couldn’t you just sleep at night like everyone else?" she asked checking his temperature and pulse.

"Because while everyone else is awake there’s nothing to worry about," Harry replied.

"That’s the same drivel the Headmaster was talking about," she said absently. "You do still look tired, though. Do you want to eat something or can I give you a sleeping draught?"

"No, nothing thanks."

*

Harry quickly found himself in the stadium. He had never appeared here during the daytime before and he felt slightly uncomfortable. He concentrated hard and managed to transform the night clothes he had been wearing into his normal day clothes. Even if he was invisible, he wanted to feel dressed if he was going to mingle with people.

He flew back up to the castle and made a quick tour of the grounds, delighting in his ability to fly without a broom. Of course, he always flew around the stadium with his Firebolt, even though he no longer needed it in this dream world.

He stopped briefly by Hagrid’s house and watched as he spoke to a group of Third years. Next he visited the green houses where he found Neville hard at work while Ron and Dean sat chatting.

Harry flew over the castle and down into one of the courtyards. There he found an angry Hermione advancing on a terrified Malfoy. It looked like she had just disarmed him.

"If I catch you bullying or stealing anything else from anybody again, you will pay for it," she said loudly. Behind her were two tearful looking Second Years.

Seeing Malfoy slink off and trusting Hermione would be alright, Harry made for the Headmaster’s office.

He floated in through the external wall and automatically apologised to the Headmaster. He was sitting quite still at his desk. His eyes were closed. He looked almost asleep.

Harry realised that Dumbledore too must be out patrolling the school.

Harry turned his attention to the glittering Gryffindor sword. Dumbledore must have moved it to this convenient table knowing Harry might pay a visit. It was glowing brightly even in the daylight.

He held his hand out to grasp the handle, but his fingers passed straight through it without any resistance.

Harry took a few steps back and concentrated hard on the sword.

"Accio Sword!" he said.

Nothing happened. He tried again. And again.

Frustrated, he stopped to think. How could he take the sword? He paced the office a few times but in the end decided to take a flight and think about it.

*

Harry circled high over the castle, deep in thought. How could he get the sword? Maybe he shouldn’t be thinking about the sword itself.

Absently looking down, Harry realised Malfoy was hiding behind a statue far below. Feeling he must be up to no good, he headed down. As he got to ground level, Harry saw Hermione hurry into the courtyard, rummaging through her bag for something.

Harry yelled, "Hermione!" but no-one in the waking world could hear him now.

He spun back around to face Malfoy. He was in front of the statue now and holding up his wand towards Hermione’s back as she walked on.

"Expelliarmus!"

The spell missed Malfoy, but it was enough to warn Hermione.

In an instant she turned and yelled, "Patrificus Totalus!"

Malfoy froze and Harry watched as the Second Year who’d just tried to disarm Malfoy ran up to Hermione.

"He was going to curse you behind your back!" said the excited boy.

"Thank you, Peter. I’m so glad you were here to help," said Hermione, looking a little flushed. "Five points to Hufflepuff. I suggest you practise with your aim though," she said smiling. The boy blushed.

Relieved, Harry looked around. In the shadows several large creatures were lurking and five of them were now advancing on Hermione. One of them held a dagger that glowed green.

Harry positioned himself between Hermione and the thing holding the dagger. It snarled and thrust the dagger towards him. Harry jumped back but it just caught him. He cried with pain. It was like a burning sensation, although no physical mark had been left.

He had nothing to fight this with.

"Gryffindor, give me your sword!" he shouted in frustration. As if it had been waiting for him to ask, a long shining sword appeared in his hand. This one wasn’t golden but it appeared to consist of nothing but light. The creatures cowered away from him as Harry held the sword up high, all except the one with the dagger.

It lunged for him and Harry instinctively swept the sword right through the creature. It screamed and was gone instantly. Looking around, he realised the others were gone as well.

He held the sword up and for a moment thought he saw a faint outline standing next to Hermione, reflected in the sword’s light.

Was it Dumbledore, he wondered?

Harry lowered the sword and wondered what he should do with it. As he did so, the sword of light disappeared.

15. An Attack in Two Worlds

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Fourteen: An Attack in Two Worlds

Harry woke and quickly dressed himself. It was now almost five o’clock in the afternoon.

He hurried down to the Great Hall, hoping to catch Hermione at dinner. He was a little concerned that the deep burning pain from the dream cut persisted now he was really awake.

He wished Kales was still around to consult.

He entered the hall. It was almost full with students chatting and eating happily. He quickly scanned the Gryffindor table and saw Hermione sitting with Ron. He started to walk towards them when Harry noticed that Dumbledore was walking towards them between the house tables, talking to a small group of visitors.

Most of them were smiling and nodding as Dumbledore pointed up, presumably telling them about some of the banners that decorated the hall. A witch at the back of the group, Harry noticed, was not listening. She was staring avidly at Hermione and held a hand inside her robes.

Harry ran towards them and shouted a warning to Hermione.

Panicking, the witch withdrew a dagger and lunged for Hermione. Harry got there just in time and dived at the witch, wrestling her to the ground. He suddenly felt a burning sensation and excruciating pain in his side. She had stabbed him.

"The Dark Lord will be victorious!" yelled the woman as Harry felt himself being roughly pulled off her. There was a flash and she fell still.

Harry became vaguely aware of screaming and he knew he was losing consciousness.

With all the will he could muster, he appeared in the stadium before the darkness claimed him.

*

Something told Harry that there was still danger. He summoned Gryffindor’s sword and flew straight back to the Great Hall.

Inside the Hall it was pandemonium.

The DA had formed a circle around his unconscious body, Dumbledore and Hermione, who was crying and cradling his head. Dumbledore looked like he’d been knocked out, along with the other visitors. Neville was shouting orders above the din, making sure the protective circle remained intact.

Attacking them were several small groups of Slytherins, hurling hexes at them with abandon.

Worse, though, were the dozens of snarling creatures that were attacking both Hermione and Dumbledore. Perhaps these were what had caused him to loose consciousness.

Whatever, Harry knew he was the only one aware of these creatures and what they were doing.

Harry lifted the sword and waded into them.

After several wild swings of the sword, he cleared the area in the centre. Harry found he could move freely through the defenders, as could the creatures.

He circled around Hermione and Dumbledore.

The creatures had paused their attack. He knew they were about to charge them in numbers.

Suddenly one of them flew down behind Harry’s back. He turned and with a wild lunch thrust the sword through the creature’s chest. It vanished with a scream but to Harry’s horror he realised the blade of the sword had been thrust through the back of Neville’s head.

Harry watched as Neville stood quite still for a moment as spells whistled past him. Harry withdrew the sword at once and fully expected his friend to fall.

He didn’t though. Neville bellowed another order and he broke away from the circle, leaping over benches. Finding a better angle of attack, Neville launched a ferocious series of spells that drew fire away from the defensive circle.

Harry was amazed at Neville’s bravery. He also realised that the Sword of Light had no harmful effect at all on anything still in the real world.

This meant Harry didn’t have to be quite so careful not to hit his friends as they fought on, something he was rather glad of as the creatures surged forward again having regrouped.

Harry fought on, but as time passed, he was beginning to tire.

He had only spent short periods in the dream world so far, but always woke feeling tired. Something about this place was draining, although he realised this was probably a mental exhaustion rather than a physical one.

The number of creatures attacking was increasing now.

Many were getting past him.

The fight continued until Harry watched in horror as Hermione slumped forward over his body.

*

An anger such as he’d never felt before surged through him.

The light of Gryffindor’s sword shone brighter and he hurled himself into the attacking throng with new vigour.

Gradually and incredibly, the creatures began losing ground. Harry fought them back using every last bit of his energy until finally they retreated.

Exhausted, Harry paused for a moment and observed the other battle. The senior DA members were all still fighting hard although many had by now fallen.

Neville was continuing to be especially effective, but there was till a group of attackers shielded by upturned tables that were firing curses and hexes.

"Incendio!" said Harry and a fire that was fuelled by his anger engulfed them briefly. They were quickly overpowered after that.

Harry turned back to see Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall rush into the hall. Harry realised that Pansy was unconscious at his feet. She had been fighting on the side of the DA.

"The great doors were sealed! We couldn’t get in," shouted Madam Pomfrey.

To his relief, Dumbledore was stirring but Hermione remained still. Harry had no idea how hurt she was.

He suddenly felt the pain in his side intensify.

Staggering now, he knew he had to return to his body.

*

"Calm down, Poppy."

"The blade was poisoned! I’ve no idea what kind of poison it was but it’s spreading and his wounds are getting worse. Nothing I’ve tried works. Why he isn’t dead already, I’ll never know."

Harry was drifting in and out of consciousness. He wasn’t sure what was real and what was a dream any more.

Darkness was all around him. The pain in his side was getting much worse and his ear drums pounded with every heartbeat.

*

Harry had been fighting for as long as he could remember, and he was beginning to tire again. He was also gradually losing ground to the dozen or so creatures he was fighting. He no longer had a sword of light to fight with. This one was a jewel encrusted golden sword that seemed a poor substitution.

The creatures were different, as well. They were much more solid than before. They had a more physical presence here, wherever here was. They also had swords and armour.

Just as he thought he could go on no more, the creatures backed off, blinded by a bright light from behind him. Squinting and shielding his eyes, Harry turned.

A ghostly shape was standing there. She appeared to be shouting at him but he heard nothing at all.

"Ginny?"

He watched. She looked like she was shouting, "Harry!" over and over.

He tried to lip read to understand what she was saying, but she kept fading out of sight and also kept turning away from him and appeared to be talking to someone else as well.

"I can’t hear you, Ginny. What are you trying to tell me?"

"Hello, Harry."

He spun around.

"Myrtle? What are you doing here?"

"Well, I contemplating things. I come here sometimes, at the threshold, to think. I think she wants to tell you something."

"I can’t hear her, Myrtle! What is she saying?"

"I’ll see if I can help," said Myrtle, floating over to Ginny. "She hasn’t quite got the hang of it yet."

The two ghostly shapes intercepted each other and for a moment both disappeared from view. Then Ginny reappeared.

"Harry!"

"Ginny, I can hear you now. What is it?"

Ginny looked relieved but worried. Then she put on an attitude of forced calm.

"I thought we should have a chat. Come over here and sit a moment. You can carry on fighting in a bit, if you like."

Harry sat down on a convenient bench that he was sure hadn’t just been there, and tried to look at her. She was so bright it hurt his eyes.

"Where are we Harry?" she asked.

"I don’t know. Some corridor. It looks like one at Hogwarts, with all this panelling."

"Hogwarts doesn’t have a corridor that is half a mile long with no doors. We are not at Hogwarts, are we?"

"I suppose not," he replied. "Ginny, you look strange. I can’t see you clearly."

"Listen carefully, Harry," she said seriously. "You were stabbed and have been poisoned. You are dying. Madam Pomfrey can’t fix you up because of the poison. Dumbledore says you are being attacked in numbers by the creatures in the dream world. In that direction," she pointed down the long corridor, "the one you’ve been driven towards, has rest, peace and death. The other direction is pain, hardship and life."

"Is Hermione okay?"

"Even if we deal with the poison so Madam Pomfrey can fix you up, if you keep going in that direction it will all be for nothing. Decide, Harry. Are you really prepared to give up life this easily? Has You-Know-Who won already?"

"No," Harry said standing up. At once the golden sword he held was replaced by a sword of pure white light.

Ginny smiled and vanished.

Harry ran at his attackers, determined to fight for his life.

*

As the last of his foes fell to the sword, Harry charged towards the blinding light at the end of the corridor.

The corridor vanished and he fell into nothingness.

*

“What are you doing here, Boy?”

“Kales?” asked Harry. “Where are you? I can’t see anything!”

“Calm down. There’s nothing much to see. You didn’t fall through a very interesting doorway.”

“I was fighting along a long corridor. Ginny told me this way was life. I found the sword again.”

“Really?” asked Kales, sounding impressed. “I was worried that I’d misled you. I was convinced you’d just try and summon Gryffindor’s sword rather than what already existed within you.”

“Kales, Ginny didn’t say whether Hermione was alright or not.”

“The Guardian is fine for now, I can see her from here.”

“Why was Hermione attacked? That witch tried to stab her and those things were attacking from the dream world.”

“I told you, Voldemort is sending agents. He just got desperate and tried to rectify his mistake.”

“But why attack Hermione?”

“He knows it’s too late now,” replied Kales unhelpfully. “Of course, he’s sending what’s left of his agents after you now for messing up his plans again.”

“I don’t understand, Kales. Why is it too late?”

“The Guardian is now safe from attacks from Voldemort in the dream world. She was vulnerable. I think that’s why you were given the opportunity to become the wand bearer at such an absurdly young age. A gamble perhaps, but one that paid off. I don’t know why I’m bothering to tell you this, you won’t remember half of it.”

“So Hermione is safe?”

“No Boy, the Guardian will be safe. The Lady Hermione will always be as vulnerable as ever. Voldemort tried to eliminate the possibility of her becoming a Guardian. Even if she does ascend, Guardians are mortal. As it is, truth may yet prevail. While there is truth, the dark will never totally win.

“When that so-called Unspeakable had the impudence to allow you to use your potential at the hospital, I was watching you both from here. I could see her flame was dying, and there was nothing I could do but wait for the darkness,” Kales said sadly. “I’m sure it was her illness that alerted Voldemort. He summoned more than just I from the dream worlds. Someone must have told him that the flame was going out and what that might mean.”

“You see, in the dream worlds, truth and hope have a physical presence. In the waking world no life could continue without the sun, and in the dream worlds, truth allows life to continue. The irony is, the Guardians never truly see the wonder of the worlds they sustain. They are never mere dreamers like us.”

Harry listened intently. He knew he might not remember much of this when he woke.

“The attacks in the dream world should slow now. Your efforts required them to send reinforcements. Their weakened defences allowed me to close the doorway from their world, at least for now. Some have survived to become trapped in your dream world, but Voldemort’s influence over them will be much reduced.”

“Thank you, Kales. Will you come back with me?”

“No, but please give My Lady my kind regards if you remember. Now, are you rested enough?”

“Yes, thanks. The pain is subsiding now.”

“That can’t be good. How about now?”

“Ow!” shouted Harry. “What are you doing? Argh!”

Harry grimaced as pain seared through his entire body.

“The thing about choosing life, is that one often has to endure pain and hardship to know one’s still alive. It’s time you continued on your journey, young Harry. If you must blunder about so close to the Underworld, please look where you are going next time.”

*

Harry was standing in the middle of the hospital wing. His body was on a bed next to him. Crouched low over his head was Ginny with her eyes closed. Madam Pomfrey was tending to his bleeding wounds.

The floor was strewn with bloody bandages and the adjacent beds had been pushed away, apparently to give them more room to work. His own bed had been pushed towards the centre giving them clear access all around.

As Madam Pomfrey grabbed another roll of clean white bandage from a trolley, he realised his wounds were from his fight in the corridor. Somehow his body had really suffered the same cuts and blows.

The bed linen was almost entirely covered in his fresh blood.

He realised he didn’t have time to consider this further.

The bed was entirely surrounded by dozens of the creatures that were advancing slowly, as if sensing death was close.

Harry held the sword of light up high and made ready to attack.

Madam Pomfrey screamed.

Somehow, she could now see the creatures reflected in the light of the sword.

Ginny looked up and ordered firmly, "You deal with the wounds. I’ll neutralise the poison. Harry will hold off the creatures."

Madam Pomfrey glanced around looking quite terrified. She turned back to Ginny who was looking grimly determined. Madam Pomfrey gave a shaky nod before setting to work, not daring to look up again.

Harry circled the bed, slashing at any creature that came too close.

Unfortunately, they were becoming braver. Several lunged forward only to perish at Harry’s hand.

Ginny was now holding her hands up over him and there came strange ethereal blue light emanating from her. Harry was prepared to bet she didn’t learn that in her First Aid Club.

The creatures then began to fall back as if afraid of Ginny.

Harry continued to circle the bed.

The creatures looked undecided what to do, but Harry was sure they would try to attack again.

Seeing something move in a shadow under a bed, Harry rushed behind Ginny. An enormous snake with bright red eyes reared up and lunged at Ginny, its long poisonous green fangs bared to strike.

Harry cleaved it in half without hesitation.

At this, the creatures appeared to fall back into the shadows.

"Okay, Harry. Enough sleepy time. Come back to the land of the living now," said Ginny, completely oblivious to the snake still twitching behind her.

His sword vanished and Harry felt himself being carried, first back to the stadium and then he woke back in the hospital wing.

In agony, he managed to open his eyes just a moment to see a grinning, blood splattered Ginny before falling into a deep sleep.

16. Talking at Crossed Purposes

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of “The Apprentice Piece”

Chapter Fifteen: Talking at Crossed Purposes

Harry woke slowly. It was late into the night and he realised his arm was asleep, mainly due to the presence of someone familiar with bushy hair clutching onto him.

“Hermione?” he said croakily.

She was fast asleep. Without disturbing her, Harry managed to reach out with his free arm and put his glasses on.

Looking around he noted that the other beds he could see were empty. All the beds were now back in their normal position and there was no longer any sign of the drama that had unfolded here. He hoped that was a good sign.

He thought back to the battle in the Great Hall. He wondered whether or not the Slytherins that attacked were under the Imperious Curse or had joined in willingly. He was sure, of course, that they would claim the Imperious curse had been used whatever the truth.

Harry hoped that Dumbledore would not impose punishments that just created more ill-feeling between the Houses, but the more he thought about it, the more unlikely that seemed to be. Dumbledore would do nothing divisive.

He was pleased when he remembered that Pansy had joined in on their side. He hoped she was okay and wondered if they could count on any other Slytherins.

Harry realised that he hadn’t seen Malfoy during the battle. He knew he might have missed him in the chaos but he still wondered. Malfoy surely wouldn’t have been placed under an Imperious Curse. Either he was too cowardly to fight or he had something more important to do.

The image of Kales kept coming into his mind. He vaguely remembered talking to him again, but what had he said?

Harry noticed Hermione’s breathing pattern was changing. She was waking up.

“Hermione?” he said again gently.

Hermione’s head flew up a once and she looked at him with bloodshot puffy eyes.

“You okay?” he asked gently.

She nodded as tears fell down her face.

“Come here,” he said in a whisper but was alarmed to see Hermione shake her head slightly. She got up and left.

“Hermione, please don’t go,” he pleaded with more than a hint of desperation as she passed the end of his bed.

He was relieved though, when she reappeared on his other side and began to make herself comfortable again.

“That side’s a bit wet.”

“Sorry about that,” he said lifting his arm up to wrap around her, ignoring the pins and needles now in his other arm. To his surprise she changed her mind and climbed up onto his bed and snuggled up next to him, wrapping her arm across his chest and resting her head close to his.

“I’m so glad you’re awake, Harry,” she said with a grin. “After all, you do have your History of Magic exam tomorrow.”

“Ha, ha,” he said flatly, smiling at her. “Shame Madam Pomfrey has a wall calendar or you might have me going.”

Hermione shook the bed with her silent laughter. He couldn’t describe how happy she made him feel, just by being with him and laughing.

Harry tilted his head and gently kissed her forehead before relaxing back into his pillow.

“I must remember to thank Ginny,” he whispered. “Did you know she could do what she did?”

“To be honest, I don’t know much at all. We were all thrown out as soon as we got you here. I didn’t know, but she’s the first girl for seven generations and also the seventh born. That’s a sign of a powerful healer. I understand that both Madam Pomfrey and Professor Dumbledore have been giving her private tuition for some time, though.”

“Well, it certainly paid off.”

“Harry,” began Hermione, raising her head slightly, “what exactly h-”

To Harry’s alarm, Hermione suddenly stopped speaking mid-word and her head dropped heavily onto his chest as if she was in a dead faint.

“Hermione?” he asked in panic, trying to get out from under her.

“She’ll be fine, Harry.”

Harry looked up, instinctively trying to cradle Hermione protectively from whoever this intruder was.

“I’m sorry,” said Fides walking up to the bedside from out of the shadows. “I did the charm while I was still outside. I honestly thought she would be asleep. I promise she’ll be fine, though. I just didn’t want to chance her seeing me.”

Harry, who had been satisfying himself that Hermione really was just asleep, nodded at last.

He really wasn’t ready for this kind of shock just yet.

Fides sat in a chair next to Harry’s bed and smiled seeing Hermione, as Harry tried to stop breathing so heavily.

“I understand that she has shown no further symptoms of her illness,” Fides said gently. “I think she’s probably out of the woods now.”

Harry nodded and smiled with relief.

“I was hoping to have a chat with you now that your Crucible Charm has broken. Have you felt any ill effects?”

“No, not at all,” answered Harry.

“Good. There shouldn’t be any, but you might want to avoid any shocks to your system.”

Harry snorted and Fides grinned at him, knowing full well that he’d just given Harry the worst shock he’d felt for ages.

“So, your Apprentice Piece made its choice,” Fides observed kindly. “One can never really tell, but I was hoping you’d become the true bearer. Legend has it that the dragon will come to you in your dreams and show you wonders in other worlds. I’m really most envious.”

“He already has. Kales showed me a few things, but he had to leave. Voldemort is causing problems elsewhere,” Harry said sadly.

Fides smiled and said, “It really wouldn’t surprise me if you remember rather more in years to come.”

“I wish he had time to show me how to set Voldemort on fire again.”

“Remember you are linked. What you can do, so can he,” warned Fides seriously.

Something about Fides’ answer reminded Harry of something.

“Do you remember when you brought me back to the Headmaster’s office?” asked Harry. “How were you able to get into the castle?”

“While you were completing your challenge, Dumbledore was kind enough to send us an invitation. We used his Portkey to get in, although the ride may have been a little smoother than you may have been used to. I can’t be doing with all that cold wind and slamming into floors.”

Harry nodded and asked, “So, Dumbledore invited you tonight?”

“He wanted to entrust something to the Department of Mysteries, and I asked if I could pop by and see you.”

“Fides, do you know why Kales called Hermione a Guardian? I asked him but he didn’t give me an answer I understood. Well, at least, not one I remember clearly.”

Fides smiled and said, “We are known as Unspeakables for a reason, you know? Let’s just say, one day this young lady will be invited to visit the lower levels of the Department of Mysteries, just as you were. There, she will be told,” and Fides paused to consider before saying, “a truth. What she decides to do then, of course, will be entirely up to her.”

Harry sighed deeply, accepting he would have to wait for an explanation that made sense.

“We Unspeakables try to be entirely neutral in the schemes of man. We cannot intervene for fear of taking sides, no matter who the enemy is.”

“Does that mean that if Voldemort summoned you to entrust a secret of his, you would do it?”

“Perhaps not I, but one of us would, so yes.”

“How could you trust him not to try and use you?”

Fides considered carefully before answering.

“Only once has a wizard ever actually succeeded in forcing the Unspeakables to reveal a secret. I told you before that anything that is powerfully good can be used for powerful evil. The wizard acted with the very best of motives. He was genuinely pure of heart, but he was tricked into allowing the secret out. This happened an age ago, far too long to count in years or centuries.”

“Kales,” whispered Harry.

“Indeed,” said Fides sadly. “The wars that followed were truly terrible. The Unspeakables of his day unleashed their full powers in order to destroy all knowledge of the stolen secret. In the end Kales agreed to be banished in return for allowing the secret to live on in future generations of chosen wizards.”

“Will there be trouble because he came back?”

“Kales was brought back against his will, so no, the Unspeakables will not act. Voldemort had no idea what he was doing, but his actions will have consequences.”

“Do Kales’ visits to me in the dream world count?”

“He rarely stays long, so we tend to overlook those. Besides, Kales’ fight for good continues in other worlds now.”

Harry smiled, remembering Kales saying they may yet meet again in another world.

“So, a secret lives on in me?”

“I’m not going to answer that. Please remember though, that my invitation for you to return to the Department of Mysteries remains open. Just know that we cannot assist you to fight your enemies. Of course, we cannot stop you using whatever you find within yourself to fight with. You are far more than a chosen wizard with a broken charm linked to a seriously evil soul. It may still take a lifetime for you to work everything through, though.”

Harry smiled and said, “Thanks.”

“I remind you of this simply because if the Ministry falls, the secrets we guard there will be sealed or relocated. Time may be limited.”

Harry nodded sadly.

“Well, I should be getting back. Don’t wake her, Harry. Use your Apprentice Piece and join her in her dream. You are close enough now.”

“So we do have to be closer,” said Harry. “I wondered why it hadn’t happened again.

“No, Harry. You need to be close emotionally, not physically.”

“Oh.”

Fides bade him goodnight and left, leaving the hospital wing silent and dark once more.

Harry closed his eyes and held Hermione tight. He allowed himself to relax, as he would if he was going to his stadium in the dream world.

*

Madam Pomfrey sat back down in her office chair feeling most annoyed with herself. For the life of her, she couldn’t remember why she had just moved those privacy screens around Potter’s bed.

After all, he was now her only patient and he was sleeping soundly. Even Miss Granger had finally gone, hadn’t she?

A troubled Madam Pomfrey picked up a magazine and continued to read, dismissing from her mind the inexplicable image of two sleeping faces, each with identical stupid grins that had suddenly occurred to her.

*

Fides closed the door to the Hospital Wing carefully so as not to make any noise and turned to find himself facing Albus Dumbledore.

They walked away quietly down the corridor, neither wishing to disturb the occupants of the Hospital and it was some time before either of them spoke.

“It really is quite extraordinary,” began Dumbledore in an amused tone, “that someone who claims to act impartially should not only answer questions more directly than I’ve ever heard an Unspeakable say when addressing an outsider, but also who takes such a hands on approach when not interfering.”

Fides smiled at his old friend.

“Well, perhaps I have pushed the pace a little. I’m not entirely comfortable knowing he will have to bear so much, even if he should survive Voldemort. Still, at least the secret may live on through her. Thank goodness the Crucible Charm has broken.”

“I told you not to underestimate them.”

“Yes. You’ll keep me informed of developments? I’m sure Kales told him more that he ought, and, judging from what Harry just asked me, Kales was also in contact with our Guardian too. I wonder what he told her?”

“I’ll keep you advised. May I offer you a drink before you go?”

“No thanks, I’m driving and I need to be up early tomorrow to fit a replacement bay window.”

“Well, goodnight George,” said Dumbledore smiling and handing him a small stone Portkey. “Good luck with your new apprentice.”

They shook hands.

“I still say you should be teaching something useful,” Fides said with a grin, continuing a conversation they’d been having for years. “Teaching them to be wizards is all well and good, but if they could plaster half decently I might find some of them a job one day.”

Dumbledore laughed and said, “Unfortunately, I understand Harry prefers bricklaying to plastering.”

“No thanks, I’ve seen wizard brickwork. Never straight, rarely manages to reach down to the floor and vanishes within two days! At least he can cut an honest piece of timber, though.”

Fides transformed. He reached into his overall pockets and checked he still had his van keys.

Before the Portkey activated, he looked seriously at Dumbledore and asked, “We did the right thing, didn’t we? He’s so young.”

“The wand chose the wizard. Even Kales accepted what would have been lost, had we waited. Besides, your wife’s prophecy was fulfilled, wasn’t it?”

*

Harry found himself standing in the Hogwarts kitchens except that in place of the four large tables there now stood two enormous machines with strange levers and dials. Each was vibrating violently and emitting a variety of loud noises. Steam was shooting out from all sorts of places.

Hermione appeared from between them looking frantic.

“What’s the matter, Hermione?”

“It’s my machines. This one is supposed to make clothes for the house elves and this one is supposed to do the cooking for them. They’ve got mixed up and now they only make treacle tarts wearing woolly hats!”

Harry smiled and put his arms around her.

“But the hats are getting all sticky!”

“Just relax, Hermione. This is only a dream.”

“But-”

“Shh,” he said gently. Gradually the noises from the machines quietened down.

He felt Hermione relax into his arms.

“The house elves like cooking, don’t they?” he reminded her gently. “Just us giving them clothes won’t free them either, will it? They told you all this when you helped draw up their charter.”

“Mm,” she agreed softly.

The machines and the kitchen were gone now.

“We need to be in the real world to help them, so worrying in dreams won’t help. Now, do you want to dream on for a little or wake up?”

For a moment the Great Hall spun around them, looking just like it had for the Halloween dance. An instant later, they were in the middle of the Gryffindor common room as it revolved slowly. Finally, they were in the Hospital Wing again.

The ward revolved slower until it finally came to a stop.

“What’s the difference?” asked Hermione, looking up at him with a small smile.

“Dreaming might be safer. Those hospital beds are rather narrow.”

Hermione looked rather shocked for a moment.

“You’re going to push me off your bed?”

“Quite the opposite actually. All I’m saying is, accidents will happen.”

“Hang on, are we talking at crossed purposes?”

“If you’d like. It’s your dream, after all.”

Hermione laughed, and said, “In your dreams!”

“Well exactly,” he said with a smirk. Then added gently, “This is your dream, Hermione.”

She took a deep breath and said dreamily, “I’d like to go dancing.”

The room revolved and they were standing at the edge of the dance area. Music was playing and indistinct couples were dancing or sitting at tables. Harry smiled when he looked atHermione standing next to him looking beautiful in a blue ball gown and her hair tied up.

He held out his hand and gave a quite moan of, “Hermione,” when he saw his sleeve.

Hermione smiled widely and took his hand, pulling him out onto the dance area.

“What?” she asked with a sweet smile as they began to dance.

“You might have dreamt me some dress robes or a suit, or something,” he whispered.

“Yes, but at least you match my gown.”

He grinned seeing Hermione’s suddenly very mischievous smile, and leaned down to kiss her.

They hardly noticed as the room started revolving again, transforming effortlessly.

END OF PART FOUR

AN:

Thanks for reading and special thanks to all those who have taken the trouble to review.

I’ve decided to post the last eight chapters as a separate concluding part called “The Accord.”

Sorry for any confusion, but there needs to be a “pause” that going straight onto the next chapter just didn’t evoke. In addition to the new character introductions, the emphasis is moving away from Harry and more towards Hermione and her potential.

Summary of Part Five: The Accord

Two unwelcome visitors arrive at the school and announce that a wizard will arrive shortly to challenge Flamel, the eldest member of a group of sorcerers that guard Hogwarts’ greatest secret. Can Hermione cope with any more House disunity, Crookshanks’ new look and Harry’s determination to fight the charismatic challenger in place of the ailing Flamel? Completed.