The Pauper’s Time

jardyn39

Rating: PG
Genres: Romance, Mystery
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 07/04/2005
Last Updated: 12/04/2005
Status: Completed

Harry is shocked to learn that his friend Carmen, a young witch prodigy, is missing along with the book and watercolour he’d bought her as souvenirs of a day trip to a times past event. The only clue appears to be in the puzzles Carmen created for Harry, which indicate she may be trapped in a time long ago. Will Harry and Hermione risk becoming trapped in a paradox themselves as they try to find her? Will Harry stop scratching for long enough to understand the plan and what will Mrs Mopp think this time? Sequel to “The Golden Serpent.”

1. Advice

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Summary

Harry is shocked to learn that his friend Carmen, a young witch prodigy, is missing along with the book and watercolour he’d bought her as souvenirs of a day trip to a times past event. The only clue appears to be in the puzzles Carmen created for Harry, which indicate she may be trapped in a time long ago. Will Harry and Hermione risk becoming trapped in a paradox themselves as they try to find her? Will Harry stop scratching for long enough to understand the plan and what will Mrs Mopp think this time? Sequel to “The Golden Serpent.”

Prologue

This story is a sequel to “The Golden Serpent,” and begins a short while after that story ends.

It’s not essential you read that story, but it may be helpful to know…

Carmen Callidus is a witch prodigy who has just turned nine years old. She recently spent a few weeks at Hogwarts while her parents were kidnapped. Her favourite subject was NEWT level Potions and she gladly gave her expert advice to her fellow classmates. A number of Prophecies have been made about her, and Harry inadvertently fulfilled the first while teaching her duelling. Hermione worked out a way to get her parents freed.

Peter Hammond is a character introduced in “The Hunter,” and is a Muggle policeman nearing retirement who helped Harry and in whom Harry confided before introducing him to Dumbledore. Hammond is an acute observer and a clever and experienced investigating detective, but knows very little of the magical world. He has an authoritative manner and once gave Minister Fudge a dressing down for his failure regarding Harry.

Chapter 1: Advice

Harry Potter quietly slipped open the letter he’d received at breakfast and began to read. It was morning break and he was waiting for Hermione in the courtyard.

The letter was from Carmen Callidus, a witch prodigy that had spend some weeks at Hogwarts during the autumn term just past.

Carmen had written fairly regularly to both Harry and Hermione since she had departed. Her letters to Harry usually began with a short resume about how her parents were, what she was doing, the books she had read, the things she’d been told off for most recently and her latest considered opinions on Harry’s love life.

Harry smiled reading the long list of potions that she’d mastered since her last letter. These included notes of the things she’d discovered that weren’t mentioned in the potion preparation instructions, which Harry had already found very useful.

Carmen had been kind enough to review the NEWT Potions syllabus completely and although Snape clearly suspected he was getting outside help, he hadn’t caught Harry yet.

Harry was sure that Carmen’s crib sheets weren’t technically cheating, but Snape was bound to make something of them. He was sure Snape was setting potions tests that were designed to trick Harry into making a mistake, although he was getting better at reading the instructions before proceeding these days.

Harry turned the page sideways. Carmen always decorated the margins of her letters with various drawings and short jokes.

He turned the page and skipped past the extensive list of things she had recently been told off for. These were invariably for almost causing accidents either creating the advanced potions or the commotion caused by her actually using the potions. Carmen never actually hurt anyone but there were a few near misses, and usually Carmen herself was the one at risk.

Carmen had developed a taste for loud explosions, something Harry discovered first hand when he mixed as directed the two preparations she’d sent him a short while ago. Harry made a note then to make sure never to introduce her to Fred and George. He hadn’t been hurt, but was rather deaf for a few hours. At least he couldn’t hear what people were saying about his singed hair.

Harry read on and sighed inwardly. This time Carmen had written almost a foot on her favourite obsession, besides potions. He had regretted mentioning anything, but struggling to find something to write about, Harry had barely hinted at what was troubling him.

Harry wasn’t proud to taking such advice from a nine year-old, but he had to admit his options for obtaining advice were rather limited.

Harry unrolled the scroll right to the end and a separate piece of parchment fell out. He caught it and held it up. Carmen invariably included a puzzle she had created for him to solve. This one was a cryptogram consisting of a table of letters which made up a square twelve characters by twelve. The last one she’d sent him like this was about a quarter of the size and turned out to be a rude limerick.

That last one also included instructions and hints how to get started. This time there was just the puzzle. Presumably, Carmen thought Harry should have got the idea by now.

Harry was just wondering how he was supposed to solve it when he looked up to see Hermione walking towards him, smiling widely.

He hurried to put away the letter. It wasn’t the puzzle he was hiding, just Carmen’s advice.

“Hi,” said Hermione brightly. “I see you got another puzzle!”

“Yes,” admitted Harry with a shy smile. “Carmen obviously thinks I’ve nothing better to do.”

“Well, I think it’s nice she goes to all that trouble.”

Harry nodded and hoisted his bag onto his shoulder, and they walked together to Transfiguration.

*

Harry closed his bed hangings and retrieved his letter from Carmen. He dropped the puzzle to one side and continued reading Carmen’s letter.

“Now, Harry, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to your problem and I’ve taken a straw poll of Mum, Dad, Mrs Mopp the cleaning lady, Mr Hamble the next door neighbour and his daughter, and Mr and Mrs Smith who run the local shop.”

Harry groaned quietly. Did all these people really have to know? Did they really have a cleaning lady called Mrs Mopp?

“No, Harry, of course I didn’t tell them who you were. Actually, I’m pretty sure Mum guessed, but the others have no idea, honestly.”

Harry snorted.

“Anyway, they all think you are being a bit stupid about this. So what if you made a complete idiot of yourself? Hermione is still talking to you, isn’t she?”

There was no arguing with this. Yes, he had made an idiot of himself. Yes, Hermione was still talking to him.

Harry read ahead by a few paragraphs to the point where Carmen had stopped telling him he was stupid.

“I’m sure that one day you’ll look back at this and laugh. Actually, everyone else thought you’d probably continue to be mortified, but what do they know?”

He decided he needed to skip ahead a bit further when he glanced over at the puzzle sheet.

For an instant, he thought he had seen a word in amongst the jumble of letters. He picked the paper up and scanned the letters again. Nothing, although he was sure he had seen something.

Maybe he was looking too closely. He placed the sheet of paper to one side where it was before and tried to casually glance at it again. Still nothing.

He tried again, moving the paper slightly. He was sure the word was in the lower quadrant closest to him.

He tried again and suddenly saw it. Running diagonally backwards was the word, “HARRY.”

Harry pressed his finger on the start letter and scrambled to find a pencil. He marked the start lightly and joined the five letters.

He realised why he hadn’t seen it before. The line of letters was not only backwards but it also had a kink at the end.

Harry started from the “Y” and looked for another word. There! He drew a line and the sentence said, “HARRYISAEDSWQ”

He’d gone wrong. He started again from the “Y”.

He found another. This time the sentence began, “HARRYIDOHOPEYOUASKFORHELP”

Harry grinned as the message revealed itself.

Harry, I do hope you ask for help doing this puzzle. Then someone else will know that Harry loves Hermione. Love from Carmen.”

Harry laughed out loud.

“You okay, Harry?”

“Yeah, Ron, fine thanks,” Harry replied pulling the hangings aside and folding up the puzzle sheet. “I just worked out Carmen’s latest puzzle.”

Harry got up and placed the sheet in his trunk with the others. He’d write back to her tomorrow.

He climbed back into bed and continued to read Carmen’s letter. Her last few paragraphs actually contained some advice that might actually work. Everyone, including Mrs Mopp the cleaning lady, thought so too.

*

“Um, Hermione?” asked Harry nervously. They had just finished Charms and were the last to leave the classroom as usual, since Hermione liked to leave the cupboards tidy.

“Yes, Harry?” she replied closing the last cupboard door.

Harry hesitated and Hermione looked at him quizzically.

“I was wondering, that is, if you’d like. I mean, Mrs Mopp thought you might like.”

“Who is Mrs Mopp?”

“Carmen’s cleaning lady, of course,” Harry replied with a small grin.

Hermione laughed.

“Okay, Harry, just what does Mrs Mopp the cleaning lady think?”

“It wasn’t just her, all of the people Carmen consulted thought so too. It was unanimous.”

“Will you be getting to the point anytime soon? I’m not concerned for myself but there’s a class of Second Years due in any moment.”

“Would you like to come to Hogsmeade with me on Saturday?”

“I’d love to, Harry. The only thing is, would you mind if we did something different from last time?” she asked with a wide smile.

“Well, if you insist,” he replied. “Of course, you can always change your mind. I mean, it’s really no trouble for me to make a complete prat of myself.”

Hermione laughed and kissed him lightly on the cheek before quickly scooping up her bag and exiting the classroom.

*

The next day Harry received another letter from Carmen at breakfast. Actually, it was a letter addressed to both him and Hermione inviting them both to attend an event that she had been badgering her parents about for ages.

Harry handed the small invitation to Hermione and said to the waiting owl, “Sorry, but we can’t reply right now. We’ll need permission to attend.”

The owl had obviously been told to wait for a reply.

“Here, Harry, write Carmen a short reply promising we’ll respond as soon as we can,” Hermione said handing him parchment, ink and her favourite eagle feather quill from her bag.

“Thanks,” said Harry, hurriedly scribbling a short note.

Harry rolled up the note and offered it to the owl. It immediately grasped it and took off into the morning sunlight. He watched it enviously as it made its escape. He would have loved to fly off as well, but this morning they had Potions.

“Come on, Harry. You know how disappointed Carmen would be if you were late,” said Hermione with a grin.

*

“Calm down, Harry,” said Hermione as they walked to the Headmaster’s office at morning break.

“Calm down?” Harry asked incredulously. “Why wouldn’t I be calm, other than the fact that I’ve got another detention for not messing up my potion and actually looking like I might get something marked before it had it’s usual little accident.”

“Well, it might have been an accident, which would have been unfortunate because you need to know if the matured potion was correct as well.”

They reached the Headmaster’s office and Harry struggled to compose himself.

Jelly Babies

The griffin moved aside and they stepped onto the great circular moving staircase.

“How did you know the password?”

“I asked,” said Hermione as she stepped onto the top landing.

“Where’s the fun in that?” he quipped just before Hermione knocked on the door.

The door opened at once.

“Ah, Hermione, Harry,” said Dumbledore. “Good morning to you both. How may I help you?”

“Well, Sir,” began Hermione. “We’ve just received an invitation from Carmen Callidus to attend a fête on Saturday after next. She’s been looking forward to going for ages. We were hoping you would give permission for us to go as well.”

“Carmen was kind enough to write to me about it as well,” said Dumbledore with a smile and holding up a large scroll. It looked like she had drawn him pictures of everything she especially wanted to see at the fête.

“I have taken the liberty of contacting your parents, Hermione, and they have consented to your attending the event if you wish. You may both go provided you agree to be accompanied by members of the Order.”

They both nodded. Harry, who was amazed Dumbledore had agreed to him going at all, wasn’t going to object to any condition the Headmaster placed upon them.

“Remus Lupin will be available and I’m sure he will be happy to attend. I would like at least one other to accompany you, but we’ll decide who that will be nearer the time. May I ask, have you told anyone else about this?”

“No, Sir,” they said together.

“Good. Please don’t mention anything, especially your plans to be off school premises. Indeed, it would be best if you gave the impression that you planned to be here at school.”

“Thank you, Professor,” said Hermione, making ready to leave when she saw Harry wasn’t moving.

“Am I putting people at risk by doing this?” he asked seriously.

Dumbledore smiled at him and said, “You’ll only be away from school for a few hours. Provided we take sensible precautions there should be no greater risk than any trip to Hogsmeade.”

Harry nodded.

*

As the day of their trip approached, Hermione was getting more and more excited about the fête. Carmen had sent her all the details she had and since Hermione couldn’t speak to anyone else about it, Harry kept getting dragged off to a quiet corner to she could tell him her latest discovery from her own researches in the library.

Harry didn’t mind at all, really. He always liked to see Hermione enthuse about things.

“Have you decided what you’re going as, Harry?”

This question totally threw Harry.

“I thought I’d go as myself, actually.”

As he answered he had visions of Moody insisting that he go disguised as some shrubbery. He wasn’t sure a false beard would suit him.

“No, I meant what you are going to wear.”

“Um, jeans and a tee shirt, I suppose.”

Hermione looked at him incredulously.

“What?” Harry asked.

“Well, everyone else will be dressed up. You’ll just feel out of place if you don’t. Carmen and I are dressing up, and Lupin will as well.”

“Does he know he’s dressing up yet?” Harry asked with a grin.

“Well, no, possibly not.”

“Okay, Hermione, whatever makes you happy. What do you recommend?”

She beamed at him before handing him a small slip of parchment.

Harry snorted when he read it.

“Oh, I won’t feel out of place at all if I wear this!”

*

Harry and Hermione walked slowly up to the Shrieking Shack. They had spent the morning being fitted with their outfits in Gladrags for Carmen’s fête next weekend. Lupin would have his fitting during the week.

As Harry paid for all three costumes he had wondered if he would ever have use for them again. He didn’t begrudge paying, especially as Hermione was so enthusiastic, but he did wonder if they needed to be quite so authentic.

Hermione looped her arms around his middle and hugged him as they stood at the battered garden fence.

Harry looked down to see her looking up at him with concern.

“I’m okay,” he whispered.

They stood quietly for a few moments looking up at the dilapidated and boarded up house.

“Do you want to get anything to eat?”

“No, not really,” she replied.

“I don’t mind going in there again, if you don’t”

Hermione laughed and said, “That’s very brave of you.”

“I mean it. Or we could try somewhere else.”

“I don’t fancy the Hog’s Head, not to eat.”

“I’m not sure they even do food. I could bare Madam Puddifoot’s if you wanted.”

“No, let’s go back and visit the kitchens.”

Harry was rather grateful to Hermione as they set off slowly back to the school gates. He would’ve braved The Three Broomsticks for her, despite his considerable embarrassment every time he thought of that place.

They stayed for quite a while in the kitchens chatting to the elves.

At the end of the day, as he wrote his letter to Carmen, who had insisted being informed immediately about how things went, Harry was glad to report that he hadn’t made a fool of himself.

He hoped Mrs Mopp and all the others would be relieved.

2. The Event

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 2: The Event

Very early the next Saturday they hurried down to the main entrance where they met Lupin and Tonks. The corridors and Great Hall were still deserted.

Tonks didn’t stand on ceremony, hugging each of them as soon as she saw them.

Lupin shook hands with them both saying, “Well you’ve chosen the right day. The weather is wonderful today.”

They walked outside into the bright early morning sunlight.

“Hagrid has been kind enough to provide us with a carriage into Hogsmeade. We will be travelling by floo powder to a nearby farm and them we’ll catch a Muggle bus to the event.”

As the carriage set off, Harry was a little sorry not to be travelling by Thestral.

“Here,” said Lupin holding out his hands, “take this Muggle money. Remember to keep some for emergencies. In addition here is a list of telephone numbers that may be useful if there’s trouble. The first one is direct to the Order.”

“Where will we meet Carmen and her parents?” asked Hermione, pocketing the coins and the slip of paper Lupin had given her.

“At the farmhouse, so we can catch the bus together.”

*

They alighted from the carriage a little later and Harry patted the Thestrals before being dragged into the Three Broomsticks.

“Good Morning,” said Madam Rosmerta as they entered. “Mrs Cinder dropped off your costumes last night. They are in the back. Do you have time for a drink before you leave?”

Harry, who could feel his face redden already, said at once, “I’ll get them.”

He quickly made his way into the rear bar and found three large, labelled, cloth sacks.

He picked them up and was about to make his exit when he realised his way was blocked by Madam Rosmerta, wearing a small smile.

“I’m really sorry about what happened,” he said quietly.

Madam Rosmerta took a couple of steps towards him and said kindly, “There’s no need to apologise. My ale sales actually went up considerably while people recounted what happened.”

Harry’s shoulders sagged.

“Believe me,” she said gently, “I’ve seen far worse things in this bar. You just embarrassed yourself a little, that’s all. Next time will be better. Besides, your friend appears to have forgiven you.”

Harry smiled and whispered, “Thanks.”

*

Harry stepped out of the fire into a traditional farmhouse kitchen. The low ceiling had deep uneven beams and the floor was stone. He put his glasses back on just in time before Carmen bounded up and hugged him.

“You came! You came!”

Across the room Lupin was greeting Carmen’s parents while Tonks was looking out of the windows, wand in hand.

Hermione, who had just been released by Carmen, stood and went over to Lupin.

“And I thought you’d be excited today,” quipped Harry with a small smile.

“Silly,” said Carmen, “of course I’m excited!”

“Are you going to let me say hello to your Dad?”

Carmen released him and allowed Harry to stand.

Her father approached with a smile and quickly transferred his walking stick to his left hand while they shook hands.

“How do you do, Sir,” said Harry smiling.

“Hello, Harry. I was saying to Hermione, we feel we know you already.”

Callidus’ handshake was firm but he quickly let go and moved his walking stick back to his right hand.

“Are you recovering well?” asked Harry, knowing that Carmen was still ignorant of the injuries he suffered at the hands of the Death Eaters.

“No complaints,” he replied, “but it’ll be a while before I can catch this monkey again.”

“Like you could catch me before!” said Carmen with a laugh.

Mrs Callidus had now joined them and Harry held out his hand but she gently hugged and kissed him, saying, “We’re so glad you could come. Carmen has spoken of nothing else for ages.”

“Let’s get changed!” shouted Carmen.

“There is a changing room upstairs,” said Lupin. “I suggest ladies first.”

Hermione, Carmen and her mother grabbed their costumes and made their way up the creaky stairs.

“Aren’t you changing Tonks?” asked Harry.

“Me?” she said with a laugh. “No, Harry, I’m on duty remember.”

“Don’t you want to blend in?” asked Lupin with a wry smile.

“I think I’ll blend in okay,” she replied laughing. “I bet you lot are the only ones stupid enough to dress up for this!”

After rather a long wait, Harry and Lupin hurried upstairs with their bundles of clothes to change. Mr Callidus had decided not to wear a costume and just before he closed the door, Harry wondered whether he would bother.

“Harry, now you’ve got a costume you might as well wear it,” said Lupin with a smile. “Besides, I don’t want to be the only one looking the fool.”

*

As they waited at the Bus Stop, Carmen and Hermione inspected Harry’s outfit and declared that he was wearing almost contemporary Pauper clothing.

Indeed, there were only two discrepancies. The first was that he was rather too clean. Carmen did suggest that Harry might just have time to roll about in some mud and few piles of manure in the field. He politely declined.

The second discrepancy concerned his underwear. Although Harry had explained that he had no idea how to wear the cloth nappy provided and, besides, who would see his boxers?

Lupin passed the inspection of his scribe’s outfit and, perhaps wisely, refused point blank to discuss what he wore underneath.

They boarded the single decker bus and almost made it to their seats before it shot off at an incredible speed. For a moment Harry thought Ernie Prang might have got himself another driving job.

Carmen loved the short journey, sitting with Harry right at the front as they clung on around the many tight turns, each one accompanied by screams from the passengers. Harry was sure they must have taken off as they leaped across a humped back bridge before finally skidding to a halt.

Laughing and thanking their driver, they got off and walked the short distance to the fête entrance.

Mr Callidus paid for their tickets and handed Carmen one of the event booklets entitled, “A Medieval Fête.”

Carmen dragged Harry and Hermione through the arched entrance, through the car park and finally into the field where the event was to be held. There were several tents dotted around the perimeter. He expected her to want to dash off and explore, but instead Carmen and Hermione perched themselves on a convenient tree stump and read their pamphlets from cover to cover.

Harry thumbed through the pamphlet, but nothing in particular caught his eye so he helped Lupin gather enough plastic chairs to they could all have a coffee at the same table outside the tea tent. It was still early and most of the tents wouldn’t be open for business until an hour’s time so there weren’t too many people present yet.

Carmen and Hermione interrupted their studies to join them.

“Oh, I do like your outfit, young Miss,” said the waitress as she placed the tray on their table.

Carmen beamed at her.

“It looks like being a nice day too,” she continued. “We had plenty turn up last year and it wasn’t half as nice.”

They finished their drinks just in time for the first displays which Carmen hurried Harry and Hermione along to, with her parents following behind. Lupin and Tonks had decided to keep ahead of them to watch out for any trouble.

It was soon clear, however, that there would be no trouble today and after a while Harry saw Tonks drag Lupin to see one of the display tents.

The first tent they visited demonstrated bread making and they all had a go at grinding flour. Several other tents demonstrated food preparation as well, and Carmen and Hermione competed to explain everything to Harry, much to the bemusement of the volunteers who were supposed to be demonstrating.

They visited every one of the displays of arts and crafts of the middle ages and had even joined in a few activities.

Harry’s favourite was the archery. Even Hermione had a go, but was far more interested in the explanation the archer gave of the development of the bow and arrow in England. He’d brought along examples that stretched way beyond the period of the event but that just made it all the more interesting. Harry had been staggered to see the damage an arrow could do, and he began to appreciate why it was at one time the law that everybody had to practise.

Hermione had enjoyed just about everything, but Harry thought her favourite display was the apothecary.

Lupin, encouraged by Tonks, had helped prepare a quill from a feather and soon found his expertise in high demand from all the children wanting to try writing with a quill and ink. As Harry watched Lupin patiently show each child how to write their name, he was reminded forcibly what a good teacher he was.

The children’s favourite display, judging from its popularity, was of the birds brought from an owl sanctuary. Harry appreciated at once why the children were captivated.

It was rare to see Carmen behave like a nine year old, but she loved watching the fascinating birds as much as her contemporaries.

On reflection, Harry realised that the owl display was actually the second most popular attraction.

The most popular was the bouncy castle, an obligatory feature even in authentic “dark ages” events. Harry hadn’t managed to persuade Hermione and Carmen to have a try, but he could see the benefit of allowing the smaller children to let off steam. Both of them had scowled at the great orange thing as soon as the generator had been started.

Other than the bouncy castle, the only thing Carmen didn’t try was the rather rickety looking hand turned four seat ride that was the fore-runner of the Ferris wheel. Harry was rather relieved she didn’t want to try it. Although the maximum height reached wasn’t actually that far up, all of the young passengers looked terrified as their crude seats swung and lurched as the wheel was turned.

*

For lunch they decided to buy sandwiches and sit in the adjacent field to eat them. It was quieter here, apart from a couple of incredibly loud babies who were demanding to be fed. The long grass had recently been cut and several small children were having a good time running around throwing handfuls of cuttings at each other.

“Thanks for your letter, Harry,” said Carmen abruptly. “I’m so glad you took our advice.”

“What advice?” asked Tonks interestedly.

Mrs Callidus smiled widely, obviously realising it was Harry for whom Carmen had been seeking their opinion.

Lupin smiled enquiringly and Mr Callidus pretended to sleep under the shade of his newspaper, his stomach giving away the fact that he was desperately trying not to laugh out loud.

Carmen beamed at Harry and he supposed he ought to explain himself.

“Thanks, Carmen,” he said dryly but giving her a small smile.

“Carmen has been giving me the benefit of her considerable experience and expertise on a number of very important matters,” he began.

Hermione laughed, catching on just what the matters might be.

Harry decided to press on before his nerve failed.

“One of the important matters was how I might get a certain young lady to forgive me for embarrassing her in The Three Broomsticks.”

Young lady?” mused Lupin with a small smile, “oh, you must mean Madam Rosmerta.”

The others laughed except Carmen who asked, “Who’s Madam Rosmerta?”

“She runs The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade,” explained Tonks.

“Yes, we’ve booked a table for dinner this evening,” added Mrs Callidus kindly, “so you may meet her.”

Carmen looked seriously at Harry.

“I did leave out some of the awful truth in my letters,” admitted Harry. “Hermione and I were having dinner at the Three Broomsticks. We hadn’t planned to go there, or I’d have been too nervous to ask, but we were running late.

“Anyway, we found a nice quiet corner and I was really having a good time.”

Hermione discretely put her hand over his and squeezed gently, out of sight of everyone except Carmen who was sitting opposite them.

“And?” prompted Carmen with a wide smile.

“It was rather romantic, actually,” continued Hermione. “We were in a kind of alcove with a corner bench seat. After our meal we just sat and chatted over drinks for a while. Gradually, we kind of slid around next to each other and for a while I completely forgot we were in a crowded bar.”

Carmen clasped her hands together and sighed.

“Probably at the same moment,” said Harry, “we realised that everyone else was being rather quiet. Silent, in fact. I looked around to see the entire bar staring at us, each of them wearing identical grins. I kind of lost it at that point.”

“Yes,” agreed Hermione, “having your date leap up and start hexing everyone in the bar did sort of dampen the romance of the evening.”

“I didn’t hex everyone,” corrected Harry sheepishly, “only the ones that hadn’t run for it quick enough.”

“But,” said Carmen, “you didn’t say why they were all staring at you both.”

“Harry kind of forgot where he was for a moment, that’s all,” said Hermione, blushing furiously but smiling back at her.

Harry was as red as Hermione at that point.

“You kissed!” exclaimed Carmen.

“Well, almost,” agreed Harry.

“Almost? That’s terrible,” said Carmen. “Hermione can’t miss out like that. You’ll just have to make up for it this evening, at dinner!”

Harry laughed and said, “You do know I have a history of hexing anybody who looks at us, don’t you?”

“It’d be worth it!” replied Carmen, laughing loudly with the others.

*

By four o’clock it was almost time for them to leave, having seen nearly every exhibit twice.

Harry had thoroughly enjoyed the day but was beginning to tire. Carmen was too, but clearly she didn’t want the day to end quite so soon.

“Hey,” said Harry gently as they sat waiting for the others to come out of the toilets, “you know I have to be back at school early. We had to agree or we wouldn’t have been able to come at all.”

Carmen shrugged her shoulders, still pouting.

“Would you accept a bribe?” asked Harry, drawing a small smile from Carmen. “How about we find you a nice souvenir from that White Elephant stall over there?”

“Okay,” she said getting up.

“Hang on,” warned Harry. “We agreed to stay and wait for the others. We have to wait of they won’t know where we are. We are also not buying anything we can’t carry or is over Ten Pounds, agreed?”

“Hermione!” shouted Carmen as she approached. “Harry’s promised to buy me a white elephant! Let’s go and choose one!”

Harry waited for Carmen’s parents before joining them at the White Elephant stall.

“I’m afraid I offered to bribe Carmen,” he admitted with a smile. “Unfortunately, she’s got her heart set on a White Elephant. I hope she doesn’t actually find one!”

As they entered the tent, Carmen rushed over and grabbed Harry. She had picked out an old battered book and an ancient framed watercolour. Each was for Ten Pounds but she couldn’t decide which to have.

Harry smiled and bought her both from the money he’d exchanged last weekend.

“Thanks, Harry,” she said clutching her gifts and dashing over to show the others.

Harry went over to Hermione who was still studying the trays of books.

“Any you fancy?” he asked.

“No, I don’t think so,” she said absently. Then she looked up and smiled. “You know you’re going to have to drag me out of here, don’t you?”

*

The seven of them returned by Floo Powder to the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade where they enjoyed dinner together before Harry and Hermione returned to school.

Carmen was looking very tired now and rather white in the face, but enthusiastically showing Hermione her new book.

“Good grief,” said Hermione, “Carmen, this is a first edition. Did you know?”

“I did notice,” she admitted, “but I didn’t want the man to realise.”

Harry felt a little uneasy hearing this, but Carmen continued, “I would have chosen this one regardless, though. I’ve wanted a pre-classification encyclopaedia of plants for ages and the coloured drawings are wonderful.”

“Yes,” agreed Hermione, “I believe they used to colour them by hand.”

Harry frowned slightly.

“It the book valuable?” asked Mrs Callidus.

Mr Callidus examined the book carefully as Lupin looked on interestedly.

“I would say it’s not particularly valuable,” said Mr Callidus. “It would go for more than Ten Pounds, certainly, but the condition is very poor. I’m surprised that the prints are still here though. Usually they get cut out and sold separately.”

He looked more closely at the coloured drawings.

“These are hand drawn, not just hand tinted. Pity about the condition. This is a nice book, but I wouldn’t have paid more than Forty Pounds.”

Harry looked over to Mrs Callidus who smiled and said, “My husband is something of a collector.”

“What about the picture?” asked Tonks. “Did Carmen get herself a bargain there too?”

“Well,” teased Mr Callidus, “Unfortunately, the frame is the only part of any interest. Actually, I suspect the frame has woodworm.”

“Hey,” said Carmen indignantly, “I like that picture! I’m going to hang it in my bedroom.”

*

Hermione yawned widely as the portrait hole closed behind them. They had spent rather a long time enjoying dinner with the others at the Three Broomsticks and they found the common room deserted.

“I’m tired,” she declared pulling Harry over to the couch in front of the fire. “Let’s sit for a while,” she said, “I don’t want the day to end just yet.”

They dumped their bundles of clothes and sat down in front of the dying fire and Hermione snuggled up to him.

“I really enjoyed today,” said Harry.

“Me too,” she replied sleepily. “I wasn’t too sure about you bribing Carmen though.”

“Hey, it was worth it. I got extra hugs!”

Hermione laughed and said in a mock pitying whisper, “Ah, you never get hugs, do you?”

“Hardly any.”

Hermione pushed him down and lay half on top of him, her head resting next to his. Harry wrapped his arms around her.

“I can’t believe you told them about what happened in Hogsmeade.”

“I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

“I wasn’t, really. I was just surprised you wanted to tell them.”

“Well, Carmen deserved to know and I suspect the others already knew something.”

“Yes, but they didn’t know it was us.”

“I am sorry for losing it that time. All I could think of was those newspaper articles and how they’d be dragged up again.”

“I know,” she replied gently. “So do I get my kiss now, or what?”

“Hang on, I’ll get my wand out. I may want to hex someone after.”

3. Missing

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 3: Missing

Harry hesitated before knocking on the door to the Headmaster’s office. He couldn’t quite explain it but he felt something was wrong.

He had just been summoned out of his Transfiguration lesson. Professor McGonagall hadn’t said what was in the note she’d just received, but had sent him at once.

The hair on the back of his head prickled again when he remembered the concerned expression she had worn.

Harry knocked on the door.

Professor Dumbledore opened the door and beckoned him inside.

“Morning, Sir.”

“Good morning, Harry,” he said with a smile. “We have a visitor.”

Harry grinned and walked towards the man rising from a seat in front of Dumbledore’s desk.

Chief Inspector Hammond grinned back at him as they shook hands. He was wearing a smart, dark coloured suit and tie. A raincoat was folded neatly over the back of his chair.

“Harry, you’re looking much better than the last time I saw you.”

“Thanks,” Harry replied warmly.

“Please, take a seat Harry,” said Dumbledore returning to his chair.

“I was just saying to your Headmaster,” said Hammond, “this is some place you have here. It looked quite derelict until I got inside. I was sure that drawbridge was going to give way from the creaking sound it made!”

“I don’t think we actually have a drawbridge,” said Harry laughing.

Harry glanced over to Dumbledore, who was looking down at his desk, wearing an uncharacteristically serious expression and clearly waiting for Harry and Hammond to finish their pleasantries.

“Is anything wrong?” asked Harry.

“Yes, Harry, there may be,” replied Dumbledore, looking up. “Kingsley has exhausted their lines of enquiry and he suggested that a detective or investigator might be more help. I asked Peter for help and he has been kind enough to render his assistance.”

“But what has happened?”

“Carmen Callidus has gone missing.”

Harry was stunned.

“Missing?”

“She was last seen playing in her garden three days ago. Her mother had just sent her out after their morning classes while she made lunch. Carmen said she was going to collect some botanical specimens to compare with an encyclopaedia she’d just got. The garden is walled and protected. There was no sign of any disturbance apart from one thing. A picture frame was found smashed in her bedroom.”

Hammond closed is small notebook and looked up.

“I bought Carmen the book and the picture,” said Harry, forcing his mind to concentrate. “She picked them as souvenirs at a White Elephant stall.”

“The book and the picture are missing. We’ve traced the stall merchant who sold you the two items. He’s got a criminal record, but nothing serious. I also understand that the items weren’t of any particular value, so it’s unlikely anyone would want them that badly. Besides, why take the child?”

“Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“We are making enquiries now, but at present we do not believe he, nor any Death Eaters, are involved,” advised Dumbledore.

“Harry,” asked Hammond, “were you or Hermione in touch with Carmen since your trip?”

“Well, yes. I received a couple of letters. There was nothing to indicate anything was wrong. Why?”

Hammond stood and began slowly pacing the room as he collected his thoughts.

“I interviewed the girl’s parents and all the regular visitors to the household. I am utterly convinced she lives in a caring, loving home. I also read her diaries and looked through her collections. She is certainly an unusual young lady, very bright indeed.

“Her mother showed me her class books and her experiment notes. Now, everything I read was utter nonsense to me, of course. But, the thing is, I could tell she was incredibly methodical. Apparently she has a passion for Potions.

“Her mother told me they reached an agreement with Carmen not to attempt anything dangerous without adequate supervision. Every risky material was kept under lock and key. My point is that they didn’t discourage her from doing dangerous experiments; just that she had to be safe. I’m convinced she would not have attempted anything dangerous on her own.”

Harry shivered despite the warmth of the room. Could Carmen have created a potion that vanished herself?

“I’m inclined to believe that either she thought what she was doing was safe, or she had no idea of the risk.

“Now, Mr Shacklebolt has confirmed that there were no traces of unusual magic, potions or anything else untoward. He’s confident of that. In addition the house has as many deterrents protecting it, as this place. I can confirm that. I thought I was crossing a plank over a crevasse at one point, so let’s rule out non-magical intervention for now.”

“The book,” concluded Harry.

“Did you see the book, Harry?”

“Not really,” he admitted. “Hermione looked closer and Carmen’s father had a good look at it.”

“Hermione? The Granger’s daughter?”

“Yes, Peter, Miss Granger attends this school as well,” confirmed Dumbledore.

“May I speak to her?”

“Of course. Is there anything else that could be of immediate assistance?”

“Actually, yes. My biggest disadvantage is not understanding what is real and what isn’t in this world. I need a guide. I’d also like a big chalkboard so I can see everything at once.”

He turned to Harry and said, “It may not help, but could I please see all your letters from Carmen?”

Harry nodded.

There was a quiet knock on the door and Dobby entered and bowed deeply.

“Dobby, thank you for coming,” said Dumbledore warmly. “May I introduce a friend of ours, this is Chief Inspector Hammond, and he is a Policeman and will be staying with us for a while. He is assisting our efforts to find Carmen.”

Dobby bowed again, “Welcome, Chief Inspector.”

“Please, just call me Hammond,” he said bending down and shaking the elf’s tiny hand.

“Dobby, please take the Chief Inspector down to the large classroom on the ground floor. The one next to Firenze’s classroom is available. Please arrange for guest quarters to be provided and equip the room adequately, including additional chalkboards as required. While he is our guest, the Chief Inspector is to be your responsibility. Provide him with anything he needs and see that he is not unduly disturbed.”

“Yes, Sir!” cried Dobby delightedly.

“Harry, you and Hermione knew Carmen best and will assist Peter with his investigations. You will both be excused lessons for the time being. I suggest you collect your papers and meet down in the classroom. I’ll send Hermione there once I have explained to her what has happened. I would prefer to tell her myself.”

Dumbledore stood and the others followed.

“I will provide any assistance you require, of course. Just inform Dobby and he will fetch me. I am available to you at any time, day or night and I will advise you immediately of any other developments. We can provide you with almost instantaneous transportation as required.”

“Thank you, but I feel the answer may be closer to home.”

*

Harry dashed into the dormitory and opened his trunk. He grabbed all of his correspondence with Carmen and slammed the lid down again. He was about to turn and run down to rejoin Hammond when he noticed what was lying on top of his bed covers.

“Hydrus?” he asked.

The tiny golden serpent unwound itself and raised its head. Harry recognised the snake as the one Carmen had conjured. A prophecy about them predicted that the snake would rejoin Carmen just before she came back to Hogwarts.

“Carmen has disappeared,” explained Harry. “Have you seen her?”

“No, but I felt her go,” replied the snake.

“Do you know where she is?”

“No, but I am afraid,” admitted the snake. “I hoped you might help.”

“Yes, I am going to help. I mean, we’re looking for her too. Um, Hydrus, are you alright?”

The snake had lost some of its beautiful lustre since the last time Harry had seen him.

“I am growing weaker. I cannot survive for long without her. Even great distances between us are no problem. This is something different.”

Harry steadied himself and asked, “Do you think Carmen is dead?”

“No. I will vanish when she dies. This is something different, but I do not understand what.”

“Um, would you like to stay here and rest or would you like to come down with me?”

“I believe I will stay,” said the snake wearily. “Call me if you believe I can be of assistance, but I feel I should try and retain my strength.”

*

Harry burst into the classroom clasping his letters and skidded to a halt in front of Hammond and Hermione.

Hermione was dabbing her eyes and suddenly all thoughts of golden snakes escaped him.

He went straight over to her and Hermione almost collapsed into his arms.

After a moment, Hammond cleared his throat and asked, “Are those the letters, Harry?”

Harry nodded and Hermione broke away from him with a deep shaky breath.

He handed the bundle of papers to Hammond who immediately sorted the letters into date order and separately placed the puzzle sheets on the tables before him.

“Upstairs,” began Harry uncertainly. Hammond looked up and Harry continued, “In my dormitory upstairs. We’ve got a visitor. Hydrus has come back.”

Harry explained for Hammond’s benefit.

“Carmen conjured a golden snake while she was staying here. His name is Hydrus and he will become her familiar when she joins the First Years. Anyway, Hydrus isn’t too well. He said he felt her go, but he’s sure she isn’t dead. He said even great distances weren’t a problem normally.”

“You can talk to this snake?”

“Yes, I’m a Parceltongue,” admitted Harry.

Hammond looked annoyed with himself and said, “Forgive me, I’m too easily side tracked in this place. Don’t be afraid to remind me that we are here to find Carmen. I can be curious some other time.”

Harry smiled at his friend and nodded.

“Hermione?” asked Hammond. “Is there anything similar to Carmen’s book in the school library?”

“In terms of subject matter, possibly,” she agreed, “although it was definitely not a book about magical properties.”

“Okay,” said Hammond, “let me tell you my initial theory about what might have happened. This is all pure speculation, mind you.”

He walked over to the central chalkboard and began to write as he talked.

“I think Carmen made a discovery either in the book or in the picture. Possibly both, I don’t know yet. Anyway, this book was very old and it was an encyclopaedia of plants written before scientific and botanical classification.

“That is a contradiction in terms. How can you have an encyclopaedia without classifications? In fact, it was a very detailed book, but the detail wasn’t expressed in modern terms.”

Hermione nodded and said, “Most of the botanical books we use are classified by magical use, not modern definitions.”

Hammond pointed at her and said, “Exactly! Now, in the real world there are things known as old wives tales. Every so often a brand new scientific or medical discovery is found that turns out to be remarkably similar to an old forgotten remedy.”

Harry and Hermione both nodded, not wanting to interrupt his flow of thought.

“Now, just suppose that book reproduced some information in the detailed text that may not make much sense to the likes of me, or even contemporary readers of the book. I’m guessing mind, but supposing the likes of you read it? Or even, a very bright nine year old witch?”

Hermione tutted to herself with annoyance. “I wish I’d paid more attention to it. I didn’t even read to the end of one description.”

“Can you remember any of the authors?”

“Give me a quiet moment to think,” she said and picked up a clean sheet of parchment before sitting at a desk at the rear of the classroom.

“Harry, may I read these letters?”

“Of course you can,” he replied at once. “Is there anything else I could be doing in the meantime?”

Hammond picked up a piece of parchment and handed it to Harry.

“Dumbledore said these books might help. They are in the school library.”

“I’ll go at once.”

*

About an hour later, Harry re-entered Hammond’s classroom. He dropped the stack of books he had carried back and went over to where Dobby was serving Hammond and Hermione tea while they were deeply engrossed in conversation.

“Harry Potter, Sir,” exclaimed the elf. “Has Harry Potter hurt himself?”

“I’ll be okay, Dobby, thanks. Someone decided to play a trick on me, that’s all.”

“What happened, Harry?” asked Hermione seeing his dishevelled look.

“Well, I’d got the books we wanted and I was on my way out when one of the books on the shelves suddenly jumped off the bookshelf and hit me in the back. It sent me flying the first time.”

“First time?”

“Yes, I put it back under Madam Pince’s disapproving stare, and it jumped right out again. I’m sure she thought I was just mucking about. That time it hit me square on the chest and threw me across the room. I gave up after a while and brought it with me.”

Hammond snorted and looked up. He hadn’t been listening.

“This is a very bright young lady,” he said smiling and waving one of the puzzles she had created for Harry.

“This is clever. Harry, did you finish the puzzle?”

Harry frowned and said, “I thought I had.”

“Well, the sentence you found is only a fraction of what she could have concealed in here. Look how she even re-used a few letters.”

He held out the sheet and Harry took it. The solved part was confined to a small part of the letter square, it was true.

Harry handed the puzzle to Hermione who grinned at him as soon as she read the solved part.

“Um, I didn’t realise,” said Harry honestly. “I had no idea there might be more.”

Hammond picked out the largest puzzle square. Harry hadn’t even begun to solve that one.

“Now, Harry. This is important. Is this the only puzzle she sent you after your trip?”

“Yes, definitely.”

“Then this is the one she might have concealed a clue what she was planning.”

“Really?” asked Harry.

“Actually, yes. Look, in her letters to you, Carmen told you everything she’d got into trouble for and what she was planning with regard to her studies. She trusted you completely, probably because you wouldn’t be inclined to lecture her or tell her what to do.”

“I should have told her to be more careful,” said Harry regretfully.

“We don’t know what happened, do we? Frankly, I’m clutching at straws here, but let’s try and solve this puzzle.”

*

Three hours and a plate of Dobby’s finest sandwiches later, they still hadn’t solved any part of the puzzle.

Hammond had gone back to the original puzzles for some inspiration.

“In these earlier ones, Carmen gave hints and clues how to solve them. Either on the puzzle or in her letters. Each puzzle became more complex than the last, but she kept it fairly simple until the last two.”

Hammond reached for the letter again.

“Harry, what are these drawings of?”

The margins of the letter were decorated in Carmen’s lovingly drawn sketches.

“Those are of Quidditch. It’s a kind of game, you score by throwing a ball through one of the three hoops.”

“How many points for the middle hoop?”

“Ten points for scoring through any hoop. Why?”

Hammond didn’t answer. He was busy counting letter columns and rows. He marked the page with a tiny pencil mark and stared at the puzzle, now pacing the room again.

He then stopped abruptly and turned to them.

“This may be complete nonsense, but is there any such thing as a Time Turner?”

4. Time

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 4: Time

It took a moment for Harry and Hermione to react.

Hammond was about to resume his pacing. Clearly the words, “time turner” meant nothing to them.

“D. Dobby,” stuttered Harry. “Will you please go and get Professor Dumbledore. Say we could use his advice.”

Dobby vanished at once with a loud crack.

“I take it that the words do have some significance then?”

They nodded.

“Well, now we have a start, perhaps we can get some more of this message out.”

He placed the puzzle down before them and explained.

“I started with this letter, ten characters along and ten down. That string says, No silly, start in the other direction.”

Harry smiled despite how he was feeling.

“So, counting in the opposite direction gives us something rather different. I was afraid I’d gone wrong, but this starts, Guess what? That book is brilliant! I’m going to find one at last. Just think, I may even see the original time turner!”

“I don’t understand,” said Hermione, “that book was a botanical book. It was only about plants. Time turners are charmed metallic objects.”

The door opened and Albus Dumbledore entered.

“Dobby mentioned time turners,” said Dumbledore. “May I ask you to recap your discussions?”

Hammond obliged and soon they were all standing in silent thought again.

“You know?” began Dumbledore quietly, “Time Turners may not be botanical, but their original inspiration was.”

They all looked up.

“There was a plant that would only rarely appear, come into bloom and once it had, would instantly disappear. Wizards speculated that the plant was actually travelling back in time, and that led to time turner development. The technology is no doubt completely different, though.”

“But if she had a time turner,” began Hermione, “or something similar, wouldn’t she reappear?”

“Well, unfortunately, we have no idea how far she might have travelled back.”

“Professor, what was the name of the plant?”

“I believe it was called, Tempus Sero, although I have never seen one. Actually, it may be listed in one of the books I suggested.”

Harry immediately made to look through the books he had brought back from the library.

Suddenly the topmost book flew off the pile and hit him squarely on the chest, sending him flying.

“Not again,” said Harry in exasperation as he lay sprawled on his back. Hermione hurried over to him but froze when she saw the open book now lying on his chest.

“Good grief,” she breathed, picking the book up and taking it straight over to Hammond and Dumbledore.

Harry scrambled to his feet and followed.

Hermione was pointing to the very first entry on the open pages. In clear bold lettering, Harry read, “Tempus Sero.”

Just above, squeezed into the top margin was some faded hand written writing.

It was in Carmen’s distinct handwriting, and said, “Dear Harry and Hermione. I’m trapped. I’ve charmed this book to seek you, and I’m having it gifted it to Hogwarts in the hope it will find you one day. I’m not in any immediate danger but I do miss Mum and Dad terribly. I do hope this finds you well. I’m sending it back with the plant. Please don’t place yourselves in danger to find me. All my love, Carmen.”

Hermione sniffed and Harry put his arm around her shoulder.

“How do we get to her?” asked Harry seriously.

“Is this Carmen’s book?” asked Dumbledore.

“No,” said Hermione thickly. “This is a wizard potions book.”

“So, she’s somewhere where she obtained access to this particular book,” said Dumbledore running his finger quickly down the text. “According to this print, the plant goes back in time but doesn’t speculate how many years.”

He quickly closed the book and reopened it at the inside cover.

“This book was printed in 1495, that’s too long to go back safely using a modern Time Turner.”

“Excuse my asking,” interrupted Hammond, “but why would she send the book back again with the plant?”

Dumbledore looked quizzically at him for a moment before saying, “I’ve no idea.”

“What if,” continued Hammond, “she managed to send the plant forwards in time, not just backwards.”

There was a sharp rap on the door and Madam Pince entered carrying an enormous tome.

“Ah, Madam Pince,” said Dumbledore warmly. “We have a small puzzle to solve. I wonder, could you tell us when the library took possession of this particular book?”

She placed her great book down carefully and opened it at the place marker.

“Headmaster, I looked that book up after what happened to Potter. I wanted to see who had borrowed it last, since they were the most likely to have charmed it to fly at him.”

“Most wise,” agreed Dumbledore.

They peered down at the open pages. Harry couldn’t quite believe the detail that the register contained. Every time the book had been borrowed, opened or even moved, an entry had been magically recorded.

“This book came into our possession four months ago,” Madam Pince confirmed, “but was in storage until this week.”

“Extraordinary,” breathed Dumbledore.

“Who donated the book?” asked Hammond.

Madam Pince shifted uncomfortably.

“It appears to be a clerical error,” she insisted. “I wanted to check the actual book. There is supposed to be a dedication.”

“I didn’t notice one,” observed Dumbledore looking inside the front cover again. It was blank.

“Look in the back,” Hammond suggested confidently.

Dumbledore frowned slightly but looked anyway.

Harry gasped when he read the ornate writing, written in gold and embossed into the inside face of the leather covered book.

To my dear Carmen,

May this book guide her home.

Moments can be enough for a lifetime.”

It was signed, Godric Gryffindor.

“It has to be a fake,” pronounced Madam Pince. “Look at the dates. This book wasn’t printed until five hundred years after Gryffindor died.”

Harry noticed that Hammond was drawing on the chalkboard again. It was a timeline.

He wrote “GG” at one end and “Now” at the other. He arrowed in the book appearing in the library and Carmen’s disappearance.

He had everyone’s attention now.

“Okay, let’s follow this book. When roughly was it printed, relative to Gryffindor’s time?”

Hermione picked up a piece of chalk and marked the position, approximately half way along the timeline.

“Thanks. Now can we assume this Godric Gryffindor couldn’t travel forward in time?”

“Yes, there is no evidence that they had time travel abilities at that time. Besides, it is only possible to travel to a time before your own. We cannot use a Time Turner to move forward from now, although we could come back here from the past.”

Hammond paused a moment to assimilate this.

“Good, so the book went backwards from being printed, to him when he made the dedication. Now he may not have actually met Carmen, she may have just written to him and enclosed a note with the book.”

“I disagree,” said Hermione. “He wrote my dear. They had to have met.”

Hammond looked doubtful but Harry said, “Yes, Hermione’s right.”

“But it said guide her home. Well, okay,” he agreed and marked Carmen next to Gryffindor. “Now, the book comes back to here and now. How could that have happened?”

“According to the records I’ve been checking earlier,” advised Madam Pince, “the book was in storage at Gringotts and was instructed to be gifted to us at a specific date. We don’t know when it was put into storage, though.”

“Could the book have been kept that long and preserved? It looks in very good condition.”

“Yes, provided the vault was properly charmed and sealed.”

“Good, let’s assume that this Gryffindor put it in storage with instructions for it to be released. If Carmen and Gryffindor really did meet, we now know where to find her. Or should that be when?”

Harry frowned.

If Carmen was trapped a thousand years ago, what chance did they have to find her?

“Um, Madam Pince?” Hermione asked tentatively. “Would you say this is a preserved five hundred year old book?”

“Actually, no I wouldn’t,” she admitted. “It looks too new, although the binding and printing is of the period.”

“I assumed that Carmen got the book new and then sent the book back in time. What if she was thrown back further and the book somehow followed?”

“What do you mean, Hermione?”

“Suppose Carmen got thrown back to Gryffindor’s time. She sent us a message, so she could have sent someone else a message too. What if she sent instructions for this book to be sent back to her from five hundred years ago?”

Harry then realised something else.

“We mustn’t assume Carmen is still a nine year old when she met Gryffindor. She could have been an old woman by then.”

“That’s true,” agreed Hermione, “but remember she sent us this particular book for a reason. Maybe we can use this to help her.”

“Yes, perhaps we could send something back like the book was originally,” added Harry.

They paused, staring at the point on the chalkboard where Carmen was indicated. She seemed such a long way away.

Hammond wiped his face. He looked very tired now. Harry wondered how long he’d at this.

“Well, I suggest we break off for this evening,” said Dumbledore.

Harry bristled and said angrily, “We can’t just leave her!”

“Harry,” said Hammond gently. “If she really is trapped a thousand years ago, a few hours won’t make much difference, will they?”

*

Harry stared into the dying embers of the common room fire. Hermione was dozing silently next to him on the couch, her head resting against his chest.

He thought back over everything.

Tomorrow they would go through the book with a fine tooth comb. Carmen had intended them to have the book. She must have left them another clue.

Her note looked hurried, though. Maybe she didn’t have time.

They would also have a fresh look at that last puzzle. Perhaps there was more there.

Then Harry’s mind touched on the framed picture. Why had it been broken? Had Carmen broken the frame herself?

Gradually, he succumbed to sleep.

*

Harry was standing on lush grass in a large field. Next to him was the tree stump Carmen and Hermione had sat on while they decided where to visit first.

Ahead of him was a single, large tent. It was the White Elephant stall. None of the other tents were there.

He realised he was dreaming, and walked forward into the tent. He was about to enter when he looked upwards into the sky. There was a solitary white cloud floating lazily in the blue sky. It looked quite out of place. Perhaps he was just dreaming it; he didn’t remember seeing any clouds like that on the Saturday they were there.

The tent was empty, but all the trays of books and bric-a-brac were there, just as he remembered.

He stepped closer.

Perhaps he remembered more than he realised. He began to look for the book. He had no idea what tray Carmen had found it in.

It wasn’t in any of the trays.

He began to look around, and then suddenly he spotted the picture hanging amongst an assortment of old frames.

He walked over, praying that he didn’t wake up just yet.

He gently took the frame down. To the touch, it was as he remembered it.

Harry examined the frame first. Nothing remarkable at all. He looked closely at the picture. It looked like a watercolour. There were a couple of initials he couldn’t read, but there was no date. The scene was of a river with a reed bank. Nothing else.

Harry hesitated before turning the picture over.

He knew he had barely glanced at that side, only seeing it when the salesman had turned it over to check the price.

The backing was a cream coloured card and it had been taped to the frame at the back. The tape looked too clean. It was clearly a recent addition.

The back of the picture was blank.

Harry looked again, though. The card at the back didn’t match the parchment the picture had been painted on.

He tried pulling off the tape, but it wouldn’t budge. Obviously, he realised, if it did come off it would only reveal what he imagined or dreamed was under there.

Harry turned the picture around again and looked at the painting.

Nothing.

He was about to give up and go and look for the book again, when he saw it. The faded colours appeared to blur for a moment and then the scene changed.

*

Harry woke as bright sunlight streamed into the common room. He was still lying on the couch and Hermione was curled up next to him. Someone had covered them both with a chequer pattern blanket.

He desperately tried to recall his dream. Every detail might be important.

Harry wiped his eyes. He had fallen asleep still wearing his spectacles. As he refocused, his eyes fell upon something on the hearth rug next to them.

He had to be mistaken.

He quickly raised his head up to get a better look.

Hermione stirred and sleepily said, “Harry?”

“Sorry, Hermione,” he replied, still staring at the rug.

Hermione lifted her head slightly and looked down.

“Where did that come from?” she asked, pushing herself up. She sat up a moment before reaching down and picking the object up.

“I had a dream about that,” said Harry looking intently at the watercolour picture in Hermione’s hands. “When I saw it just now, I was afraid I was still dreaming.”

Hermione turned the small painting over.

“What does this mean?” Hermione asked aloud. “How did it get here?”

Harry remembered how the image changed in his dream.

“May I?” he asked, taking the watercolour and getting up and going over to the window. The picture didn’t have the backing card that didn’t match now. He held the picture up to the light so the sunlight hit the back of the painting. Instantly the image changed.

Hermione had followed and could see the change. She placed her hands gently on Harry’s shoulders from behind and gasped as she moved closer.

Harry didn’t recognise exactly where the view was from, but the outline of Hogwarts castle in the distance was unmistakable.

*

Hammond studied the watercolour intently before finally asking, “You just found it next to you in the morning?”

“Yes,” replied Harry. Hermione was carefully reading the description of the Tempus Sero plant.

“Was there any other sign that someone had been there?”

“No.”

“Yes there was, Harry,” Hermione reminded him, still reading. “The blanket. Someone put a blanket over us.”

“Was it a school blanket?”

“I didn’t recognise it,” said Hermione.

“But how did they get in?”

There was a light knock at the door and Dobby came in clutching a small leather bag which Harry recognised as the money pouch from his costume.

“Pardon me, Harry Potter, Sir,” said the elf apologetically, “but Miss Carmen’s snake was rather agitated when I found him. Perhaps Harry Potter can tell Dobby what is wrong?”

Harry gently took the bag and said, “Hydrus, are you alright?”

The tiny golden snake popped his head out of the top of the bag.

“Last night. I felt something. She was here.”

“Carmen was here?”

“No, it wasn’t my Carmen. I can’t explain. It felt like her, but it wasn’t her.”

Harry looked up and translated their conversation for the others.

“Dobby?” asked Hammond, “Can you see the view of the castle in this watercolour? Hold it up to the light.”

Dobby did so and said brightly, “Yes, Sir!”

“Can you think where this view might have been painted from?”

“I believe so, Sir!”

“Good. We’re going on a trip. Would it be possible for you to get me some hiking boots and clothes?”

“Yes, Sir!” said the delighted elf before vanishing with a loud crack.

“What do you expect to see there?”

“I probably won’t see anything,” admitted Hammond. “But I’m hoping that you two, being wizards, will. This picture was returned to us for a reason. There’s a fair chance that we might find something further using it.”

*

The four of them walked out of the castle into the fresh morning air. Clouds now hurried to conceal the bright sunlight as they followed Dobby along a narrow footpath towards their destination.

Harry carried all the books he could manage while Hermione and Hammond carried the cloth sacks that Dobby had brought.

As they walked, Hermione described in some detail the plant descriptions she had read from Gryffindor’s book.

“We are almost there, Sirs and Miss!”

They stopped for a moment to consider the view of the castle.

“Almost, Dobby,” agreed Hammond as they set off again.

The path veered off and went through some thorn bushes that completely obscured their view, but the path returned them back and when they emerged into a small clearing, it was clear that Dobby had led them to exactly the point from which the watercolour had been painted.

“Nice one, Dobby,” said Harry gratefully as he removed his rucksack with all the books.

They looked around for a few minutes as storm clouds gathered.

“Over here!” shouted Hammond.

The others ran over to where Hammond was standing.

“See?” said Hammond pointing to a patch of ground a few feet in front of him.

“Gosh,” said Hermione.

On the ground was a torn triangle of cloth. It was identical to the blanket they’d been covered with in the common room. It had been torn from the same sheet.

“Clearly, this is a marker. Without getting too close, can either of you see anything else?”

“Yes,” said Hermione at once. “Harry? Where’s that book. I need to check something.”

Harry carried the book over and Hermione opened it at the marked page.

There was an ominous rumble of thunder in the distance as they waited for her to finish reading.

“I’m sure it’s a Tempus Sero,” she declared finally.

“That thing?” asked Harry. “It’s so small. It looks like a weed!”

“Okay,” said Hammond. “Now we need to take stock. I can’t see any plant there, but I suspected we might find one. We’ve been led here, after all.”

They nodded.

“I’m going,” said Harry at once.

“Me, too,” agreed Hermione, “but we should tell Professor Dumbledore first.”

“No,” said Hammond forcefully. “Dumbledore can’t have anything to do with this. Listen, if you do manage to go, you may just get trapped as well. You may not even find the girl.”

“We have to try,” said Harry forcefully.

“Harry, all I’m saying is, please remember you have responsibilities here and now. Dumbledore will neither forbid you from going, nor give you his approval. This is a decision entirely for you. Either way, there will be consequences none of us can foresee. Please, take a moment to consider.”

Harry calmed a little and nodded.

He walked away towards the edge of the clearing to think. The wind was getting stronger now. Gusts pushed the long grass and bushes into an excited frenzy, as if anticipating what was about to happen.

Harry thought.

If he went and didn’t come back, who would face Voldemort and his Death Eaters? The Prophecy only said he would be the only one with the power to vanquish the dark lord, not that he actually ever would.

He thought of the prophecies about Carmen. These future events, whatever they were, would not happen with her trapped in the past.

Finally he thought of her words in Carmen’s final message to them.

Harry turned, he had decided. He just couldn’t leave her there, frightened and alone.

“Harry, the flower is about to bloom!” shouted Hermione. He hurried over.

“I’m going,” he said simply.

Hammond nodded and shouted to Dobby who at once clicked his fingers. In a flash Harry realised that Dobby had dressed him in his pauper’s costume. Hermione was also changed.

“Pardon my liberty, Sir and Miss,” said Dobby.

Harry grabbed the book and checked he had his wand.

Dobby handed him a rough cloth bag into which Harry placed the book. His invisibility cloak was there as well.

“Thanks, Dobby. Thanks for everything.”

“Harry!” shouted Hermione.

He rushed over and grabbed her hand and they ran forward towards the tiny plant.

There was a flash of lightning and they vanished into thin air.

5. The Lady

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 5: The Lady

Harry woke slowly, realising he was cold and stiff from lying for some time on the wet grass. He looked around and rolled over, pushing himself to his knees. He wondered thickly how long he had been unconscious, and realised it must have been for some time. It was now night.

Hermione was lying next to him and beginning to stir.

“You okay?” he whispered.

“Yes, I think so.”

Harry looked up into the clear night sky and the canvas of stars. It was a full moon.

Harry scanned the horizon looking for the castle. There was no sign of it.

“Um, Hermione? I thought we’d move in time, not distance. I wondered if we had come to a time before Hogwarts, but this doesn’t look like the clearing either.”

“Well, no. I read that because of the movement of the planets, long term time travel would probably result in moving as well.”

“How do we tell where we are?”

When is probably the more pertinent question.”

“How so?”

“Well, did Carmen stay here or did she travel back further?”

“You mean to meet someone that could help her? Like Gryffindor?”

“Exactly.”

“How long before the plant flowers again, do you think?”

Hermione was studying the small plant.

“Could we take it with us?” suggested Harry.

“No,” she said firmly. “We don’t know what it needs to make it flower and it might just die.”

“Good point,” he agreed.

“Looking at these flower buds, I would say we have until tomorrow morning. There is only one more bud, so I imagine the flower will vanish from here after it flowers.”

“Okay, let’s see if we can find some traces of civilisation. Maybe someone remembers seeing Carmen.”

“Are you sure? I’m only guessing really.”

“Your guess will do fine,” Harry replied smiling and taking her hand.

They found a rutted cart track a few yards away and took a chance on the direction to walk in after marking their location with a discrete pile of stones.

They walked in silence for a few minutes.

“What’s wrong, Harry?”

“I just keep wondering what Dumbledore will say when he finds out. I feel I’ve let him down.”

“Well, I suspect he knew what your decision would be before you even knew you would have a choice.”

“How?”

“I’m only guessing, but it I was him, I would have demanded to know the other Prophecies about Carmen. They would give some clue as to what will happen. Anyway, if he knew the outcome, he might influence your decision.”

“So Carmen might make it back?”

“Not necessarily,” Hermione said sadly. “She may just influence our future from her time.”

*

“What’s wrong now, Harry?”

“It’s this stupid nappy thing. It itches and it won’t stay up!”

“It isn’t a nappy, Harry!” said Hermione laughing. “It’s a pity Dobby didn’t have time to check your precise undergarment requirements before we left.”

“Payback time, isn’t it?” he asked smiling. Despite the itching, Harry felt better than he had in years. He was free of Voldemort and his scar felt like normal skin again.

“I don’t know what you mean,” replied Hermione, still smiling.

“Well, come on. You spend the whole time that Saturday trying not to scratch.”

“I’m sure we’ll both get used to it after a few years. Or, perhaps you could consider it extra motivation to get us home.”

“These outfits had better be for the right time period. If we come across a dinosaur around that bend, I’ll feel very stupid in this. If I have to fight dinosaurs with an itch, I won’t be pleased.”

“We are following cart tracks, Harry. I don’t think there will be any dinosaurs!”

*

Harry was just wondering if the track would ever come to an end, when Hermione suddenly held out an arm to stop him. Harry silently followed Hermione as she left the track and climbed up a small mound from which they had a good vantage point.

Hermione pointed ahead.

There stood a small stone cottage. Lights could be seen burning through the small window slits.

“I wonder what year this is,” whispered Hermione.

They suddenly heard a muffled scream from inside the house. It sounded like a female voice.

Fearing it was Carmen, Harry set off at once at full tilt, ignoring Hermione’s whispered pleas.

He ran through the yard at the front and kicked the door open. Still panting heavily he entered, wand outstretched.

In the middle of the room on the straw covered floor was a quivering mound of rags. Above her, two heavy set men in chain mail and ill fitting helmets were standing. They didn’t look up.

“If you know what’s good for you,” said one, “you’ll keep quiet or we’ll ‘ave you accused of witchcraft.”

Before Harry could react the other kicked her. Before her cry of pain had subsided though, both the men had been stupified. It was only then that Harry wondered why they hadn’t looked up when he’d kicked the door in. They must have been expecting someone.

He turned and with a shock of horror saw a third man entering through the door, his sword out.

There was a red flash and soon he too was sprawled out on the floor.

“Thanks,” said Harry with a small smile.

“No problem,” Hermione answered, going over to the woman now getting up from the floor.

“What have you done?” the old woman cried in anguish. “Don’t you know what will happen to us when her Ladyship find out some of his guard have been attacked. She’s hung people just for laying a hand on one before.”

“Don’t worry,” said Hermione gently, helping her up, “they won’t remember a thing.”

“We’re looking for a friend of ours,” said Harry while Hermione inspected the unconscious men. “She’s about nine years old and her name’s Carmen.”

The woman remained silent but her eyes grew wide as she looked at the two new strangers in her home.

Harry was just wondering what she could find so curious about them, when the warmth of the room appeared to reach his nostrils. The stench was quite unbelievable although not surprising considering the livestock that shared the living area. Even the woman appeared to have rolled around in dung, perhaps to improve the smell.

*

“I do wish we’d learned to Apparate,” Harry said in a whisper as they crouched behind the last of the undergrowth in front of the castle.

“I told you at the DA, it is too dangerous to try to learn without proper tuition,” she whispered back.

“We have to find a way in.”

Harry looked out at the moon lit castle. Although not big, its moat and high walls were impressive enough. The drawbridge was raised and he could just make out flickering lights in the watch towers.

As he watched, the castle faded into darkness as a heavy storm cloud moved in front of the moon.

Hermione was watching the storm cloud intently, deep in thought.

“I wonder,” she breathed. Then she turned back to Harry and whispered urgently, “We need to hurry. I’m worried that the plant may be affected by a lightning strike. I remember a flash when we went.”

“No, I want to check here first,” replied Harry. He couldn’t explain why, but something about the castle made him feel drawn there.

“How are we going to get in, though?”

“I have no idea. What is that?”

They listened in silence as a small group moved towards the castle on foot dragging a wheeled cart behind them.

They were the group of three guards that they had stunned earlier and from the sound of their raucous singing and laughing, they were now very drunk.

Harry waited for them to pass before signalling to Hermione. He took out the invisibility cloak, covered them both and followed. Harry’s plan was to try and get into the back of the cart.

Harry supposed it was as good a plan as any. The three men were so drunk it might work, after all.

They crept up behind the cart, which was now moving slowly and wandering a little on the wider path that approached the entrance. They were now very glad of the darkness afforded by the approaching storm clouds.

Harry leaned on the back of the cart and made to hoist himself up. Unfortunately, he immediately realised that his weight applied to the back of the cart could be felt by the two men trying to pull it along in the front.

“Was ‘hat?” said one.

“Wot?” replied the other, apparently oblivious to the strange movements the cart was attempting to make.

Harry gently released his weight and he and Hermione continued their approach behind the castle.

From somewhere out in front, the third guard hailed the castle.

Harry and Hermione instinctively crouched down, listening to the argument. For a long while it looked like the men, who had been expected back hours ago, would not be let in.

The three of them had a short drunken discussion as to what to do if they were refused entry. It sounded like they should have remembered that the drawbridge was raised at sunset and not lowered again until dawn.

They were about to turn when the drawbridge started to come down.

One of the guards inside shouted, “Hurry up. Her Ladyship wants a word with you three.”

The cart stopped abruptly.

The man out front appeared to sober up instantly hearing those words and said, “We don’t need to disturb her Ladyship. We’ll stay outside.”

Harry could hear the other two agreeing.

“Get inside, now,” said a cold new voice.

*

They followed the three drunkards as closely as possible. Fortunately they were incapable of hurrying, although the realisation of who they were about to see appeared to be sobering them up rather quickly.

They trudged though a series of dimly lit stone passages until they entered a large hall. Straw covered the timber floor and tapestries covered the rough stone walls. The high ceiling was cloaked in darkness.

Ahead a large roaring fire dominated the room.

The three stopped and stood in line in the middle of the room, each struggling not to sway so much and nervously looking around.

A woman swept out of a side door and all three bowed at once, obviously terrified.

She was tall and slim and wore her grey hair high making her look even more imposing. Her deep blue gown had a high turned up collar making her look quite out of place.

“Welcome,” she said loudly without smiling.

Two of the guards looked at each other and shrugged. The third just passed out and collapsed onto the floor.

“Um, thank you, my Lady,” one of the guards struggled to say.

“Not you, idiot. Both of you remove that one at once. If I catch you this drunk again while on duty you will pay dearly. Be thankful I’m in a forgiving mood this evening. Now, leave us.”

“Us?” said the other guard.

The other nudged him roughly and the two of them dragged the other out of the hall, both clearly thankful to have escaped intact.

Harry stood still.

The woman smiled to herself and went over to a large cabinet where she poured three glasses from a fine decanter.

When they heard the door slam shut, she said, “That’s a rather nice cloak you have there. A friend of mine had one once when I was a child. Won’t you join me for some refreshments?”

Realising they were caught, Harry lifted off the cloak, folded it and placed it carefully inside their bag.

For a moment the woman just stared at them both in wonder.

“I’d forgotten how young you both were,” she breathed.

They approached and as Harry got closer, he recognised her eyes.

“Carmen? Is that really you?” he asked.

“There’s no simple answer to that question, I’m afraid,” she said handing them each a glass. “I am Carmen, but I’m not your Carmen. See?”

She held up a delicate cuff and a tiny golden snake popped its head out. It was incredibly golden now.

“You see, I’m from your futures. I came back here originally to wait for you. That was several years ago, and I rather like having this place as a kind of retreat. It’s a much simpler existence, once you get used to the smell. Please, take a seat.”

They sat and sipped their drinks.

“So, um, where’s our Carmen?” asked Harry.

“Safe but rather afraid. I’ll send you to her shortly.”

“You can move through time?” asked Hermione. “Did you leave the watercolour and the blanket?”

“Yes, I was trying to correct things. You see, this is all my fault. If I hadn’t tried to stop Carmen finding that plant, she would never have become trapped.”

“What happened?” asked Harry.

“Well, I was there the afternoon Carmen disappeared. I waited for her up in her bedroom. All I needed to do was delay her for a few minutes. I knew she would dash upstairs to get her book before going out into the garden. That was when I saw the watercolour. I always loved that painting but the backing stopped you from seeing the proper view. I removed the tape and the frame came away.

“Then I realised, to my horror, that Carmen already had her book. I dropped the frame and Apparated outside. She was close enough to examine the plant but in no danger, but I think the popping sound made her jump. She completely forgot about the plant and moved away from me, clearly sensing danger. At that moment the plant caught her and she was off.”

“Did you remember wrong, or were things actually different?” asked Hermione.

“I honestly don’t know. I was sure at the time, but it was many, many years ago.”

“Why did you want to stop her going, anyway?” asked Harry.

Tears were forming in Carmen’s eyes, but she didn’t answer.

“Okay,” he said gently, “it doesn’t matter. Whatever happened, happened. How do we get our Carmen back?”

Carmen composed herself and asked, “You have the book?”

Hermione fished it out of the bag and handed it to her.

“Wonderful. I knew he’d do this for us.”

Carmen lovingly caressed the cover.

“Godric,” she mused with a smile. “He was so sweet. We had kind of a tryst. I broke up with him though. He would keep going on these gallant adventures. I wouldn’t mind, but he would insist on my remaining at home. He was rather old fashioned like that.

“You know? We started seeing each other after I beat him in a duel, using a few moves you taught me, Harry!”

She took a quill and wrote a message inside the front cover.

“You must take this book to Carmen. This message will confirm what she has to do. I say confirm, because this was her plan from the beginning.”

Carmen offered the book to Harry but he didn’t take it.

“You’ve seen our future,” he said. “What happens with Voldemort?”

“No, Harry,” interrupted Hermione. “We mustn’t know that. It would affect what we do.”

“She’s right,” said Carmen sympathetically. “But actually, I couldn’t answer anyway.”

She stood and drew out her wand.

“Please stand and hold each other’s hand tightly. It will be a little bumpy at the other end. Please don’t tell Carmen about Godric or the children.”

6. The Cave

The Pauper’s Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 6: The Cave

They slammed into the side of a grassy hill and rolled down a few feet.

Harry yelled, “Did she say children?” but he could barely make himself heard as the wind howled around them. It felt like they were in the middle of a hurricane.

Hermione shook his shoulder roughly and pointed up to the top of the hill. There was what looked like a small cave entrance.

Harry nodded and grabbed the bag.

Hermione scrambled up the slippery grass slope with Harry following in case she lost her footing. It was hard work in their authentic footwear, but eventually they reached the cave entrance.

The cave was dark and damp.

Harry could faintly smell smoke and immediately took out his wand. He took the lead as they ventured further inside.

The silence of the cave was a complete contrast to the screaming wind outside and it took a while for Harry’s hearing to adjust.

Lumos,” he whispered, pointing his wand to his feet.

They walked onwards into the darkness, not daring to light up their way too far ahead in case they were discovered.

Harry stopped, straining his ears. He thought he had heard something just ahead.

They crept on a few more paces and then turned.

Ahead of them was a small fire and sitting there huddled up and sobbing quietly to herself was Carmen. Their Carmen.

They moved towards her quickly.

The young girl looked alarmed for a moment but then hurled herself at Hermione. Harry hugged them both.

*

“I was sure it hadn’t worked!” cried Carmen, tears streaming down her face.

Harry stoked up the fire, lighting up the cave. He marvelled that she’d been able to even start a fire, given that she had no wand. Then again, this was Carmen and somehow her plan had brought them to her.

Carmen was incredibly dirty, but apparently well, if a little hungry.

“You have the book?” Carmen asked hopefully.

“Yes,” said Hermione handing it to her.

“Oh, I’m so relieved. It was just a guess, but I thought I recognised myself in the garden.”

Carmen opened the book and read the newly written note to herself very carefully.

For a moment she looked up and stared into the fire, deep in thought. Harry and Hermione watched, not wishing to disturb her concentration. Only Carmen could get them back.

Carmen came to herself and Hermione was about to ask if she could read the note when Carmen ripped out the fly sheet and burned it.

“No one may know the future,” she said seriously. “The note just confirmed something. We can go back now, if you are ready?”

They stood and looked around.

“We shouldn’t leave this fire burning,” said Hermione. “Harry, will you light your wand so I can put it out?”

“Sure,” he said and noticed Carmen had a rather absent look.

“Wait,” ordered Carmen, “I need to burn something else.”

She kneeled down and ripped off the back cover of the book. She then broke it over a stone before fishing out something inside. She tossed the back cover, including Gryffindor’s dedication, onto the fire.

“What is that?” asked Hermione.

Carmen carefully opened the folded parchment.

“Now,” Carmen said seriously, “this is important. This powder is a refined extract from the Tempus Sero. This is what will take us back, so, no one sneeze!”

She carefully placed it on the ground at their feet.

“We all need to hold hands around this. Now, this is tricky but I need one of you to burn the powder. The smoke has to rise between us. Are we clear?”

The others nodded.

“Good. Harry, light your wand and then Hermione can extinguish the fire.”

Hermione put the fire out with a splash of water from the tip of her wand.

Harry realised that Carmen was shaking. She looked incredibly nervous.

He took her hand in his and gave her a reassuring smile.

Carmen smiled back for a moment but then it faded. Hermione rejoined them and took hold of Harry and Carmen’s hands. The circle was joined and they were lit only by Harry’s wand tip.

“When I say,” said Carmen shakily, “not before.”

“Carmen? Are you okay?” asked Harry.

A tear fell down her face.

“I knew it would happen. It had to, or you would never have found me.”

Hermione frowned slightly.

“Something is going to happen, isn’t it?” Harry said gently. “When we get back. The note told you.”

“Come on, Harry. Let’s show some Gryffindor spirit,” said Carmen with bright eyes.

“Carmen, we came to bring you back.”

“You will, Harry, I promise.”

“So, what goes wrong?”

“Not wrong, exactly. It’s like a new adventure. Besides, I’ll have many years in other time periods. It may only seem moments to you, but I’ll escape into the past.”

“If it’s so great, why did the older you try to stop all this from starting?”

“I was mistaken.”

“Carmen, tell us what happens, or we all stay here,” demanded Harry.

“No! You mustn’t change the future!” cried Carmen. “I’m in a paradox. It’s like a trap. I have to continue on, or you’ll never get back. Please, Hermione, set the powder on fire. The world needs you both. I’ll have my life, but not with you. Please.”

Hermione looked at Harry and gave him a small nod.

Harry took a deep breath, and nodded.

Hermione pointed her wand downwards. A blue liquid flame dripped gently down onto the powder. Suddenly a cloud of white smoke erupted from the powder as Carmen gripped them both tightly and began chanting.

*

Harry, Hermione and Carmen appeared into thin air some twenty feet above the clearing.

He realised, as they dropped, that the Tempus Sero plant was directly below them. Harry’s agility in the air helped considerably as he aimed and fired a volley of reductor spells directly at the plant.

The ground exploded beneath them.

Suddenly, Harry felt himself slow until all three of them touched down with a heavy thud, much more gently than he’d been expecting. Harry hadn’t time to wonder what had happened.

Hermione landed on her feet but Carmen collapsed.

Harry scooped her up and shouted, “Run!”

They ran towards the edge of the clearing where they were surprised to find Dumbledore and Snape waiting with Hammond and Dobby.

“Here!” shouted Snape. Harry threw Carmen into his outstretched arms. Snape turned and ran back towards the castle at once. Hammond followed him as quickly as he could.

Harry ran back to join Dumbledore, Hermione and Dobby who were advancing on the position the plant had occupied.

“Do you know what will it be?” shouted Hermione as she joined them.

“The picture. It became clearer after you left,” said Dumbledore. He wasn’t shouting, but somehow they heard him clearly over the howl of the wind.

Dumbledore was looking high into the air. The clouds looked much lower than normal.

“There!” he shouted, his voice booming into the storm.

Harry thought he saw a glimpse of something dark in the clouds.

“Should I summon my Firebolt and go looking for it?” yelled Harry, with no idea at all what “it” might be.

“No time, Harry,” said Dumbledore with a grin. “Let’s try and flush it out, shall we?”

Dumbledore pointed his wand directly upwards. A bolt of purple lightning blasted from his wand high up into the clouds. There was an enormous thunder clap and then the clouds took on a purple tinge. Small purple lightning strikes passed from cloud to cloud, until finally there was a flash deep inside one of the clouds directly above.

“Ah, that got its attention.”

Something dark flew out of the low clouds and circled menacingly above them. It had small wings but appeared to be swimming through the air rather than flying.

It dived down towards them. They fired volley after volley at the creature, which was getting madder and madder with each passing moment.

As it got lower, Harry was sure its shape changed. High up it looked almost dragon like. Now it had man-like features and the wings looked bigger in proportion to its length.

Finally, Dumbledore caught it with a powerful spell Harry didn’t know. It crashed down to earth and they advanced to finish it off.

They were only a few feet away when it reared up again. Harry blasted it with a volley of reductor curses.

“That will do, Harry,” warned Dumbledore.

The creature turned to face them, snarling and bearing its pointed teeth. Horns projected from its jaw and forehead. Its skin was deep green.

The creature uttered words in a language Harry could not understand.

“Really? What a pity,” replied Dumbledore pleasantly. “May I introduce my three companions?”

The thing spat onto the ground.

“Perhaps not, then,” said Dumbledore. “Anyway, the girl has been returned to her timeline. This opportunity has therefore passed. I suggest you return to your own domain. You may stay, of course, but I won’t stop my friends here from hurting you.”

A kind of a grin appeared on the creature’s face and it glanced over to the small crater Harry had created where the Tempus Sero had been.

“Oh, yes,” agreed Dumbledore. “It was very clever. However, the problem with interfering with time, is that one can never fully predict what will happen.”

For a moment Harry thought the thing was chuckling at them, but then a look of unmistakable terror passed over his face. He was looking directly behind them.

Before Harry could turn to look, the thing vanished in a cloud of dark green smoke.

They turned to see a young woman standing before them, grinning widely.

*

Harry knew at once she was Carmen, although she looked very different from before.

Carmen was now a grown woman, but this time she looked much younger and far less imposing. She wore her long hair down and was also very pregnant.

“Carmen, don’t you think you should give the time travelling a little rest?” suggested Dumbledore. “Especially in your condition?”

“No!” she replied laughing. “Thanks to Harry’s quick aiming and Hermione’s cushioning charm, I’ve got more than three seconds to live my life in!”

“I know I shouldn’t be here,” she admitted, “but I just wanted to say thank you, to all of you.”

She swept over and hugged them.

As she bumped into Harry, he couldn’t resist asking, “So, how’s Godric?”

“Godric?” she asked in surprise before breaking into a wide smile. “Oh, no. It’s not his. I found I prefer more modern gentlemen, actually.”

Carmen bent as low as she could and kissed Dobby, saying, “Thank you, Dobby. I’m sorry for all the tricks I played on you in the holidays.”

“Dobby hopes you will stay again, Miss Carmen!”

Carmen smiled and turned to Dumbledore.

“Thank you,” she said, tears forming in her eyes. “I know what you did. What you had to bear for me to have a life.”

Dumbledore smiled and shook his head.

“Carmen, all I did was resist the temptation to stop Harry and Hermione,” he said gently. “I’m sure I will regret it later.”

Carmen smiled and kissed him on the cheek before vanishing silently.

*

“I must ask you both never to enquire about the Prophecies surrounding Carmen,” Dumbledore said seriously, “either of myself or others. I ask this for your own good.”

Harry and Hermione nodded.

“Dobby, thank you for all your assistance. You may return to the castle and help tend to Carmen. It may be best for her if we bring her parents here.”

“Thank you, Sir,” squeaked Dobby. “I could go now and give them the good news, if you liked, Sir?”

“That would be most helpful. Thank you, Dobby. Yes, please do so.”

The elf vanished with a loud crack and the three of them walked back towards the castle.

*

“Harry, do you have to do that in front of Professor Dumbledore and me?”

“I can’t help myself. These things itch like crazy.”

“Yes, well some of us have a little self control.”

“Anyway, I’m not in front of you. I’m walking behind you!”

“Yes, well you could scratch yourself more discretely!”

“Mm?”

“Harry!”

“I’m sure all this rain is just making it worse.”

“Stop it, you’re making me feel itchy now!”

The path they were following exited the bushes and they found Professor Dumbledore waiting for them. Hermione hurried over to him and appeared to want to lift the tone of the conversation a little.

“Professor? What was that creature?”

“It is a time demon. That particular one holds a grudge against Carmen, or one of them anyway. I’ve no idea what started it off, nor indeed when it all started. On this occasion it planted two Tempus Sero flowers in the same place to create a paradox. I only realised when I saw Harry firing at the ground, but she would have been thrown backwards in time again.”

“Um,” asked Hermione hesitantly, “what did you mean by one of them?”

“Well, my examination of the Prophecies didn’t get me very far. It was immediately apparent that there are many versions of Carmen out there. Some good, some cruel and some just lost. However, with love, understanding and more than a little tolerance, I’m confident that the good Carmens will prevail. Eventually. We must remember they all started out as our young Carmen.”

“So, she’s likely to get into trouble again then?” asked Harry with a smile.

“I will not say,” replied Dumbledore with a smile.

Harry took this to mean a big yes.

*

As they approached the castle they could see Hammond waiting for them at the entrance doors. Hermione hurried ahead to find out how Carmen was.

“Professor?” asked Harry as soon as she was out of earshot. “Can I tell you something?”

“Of course, Harry,” he replied, slowing his pace.

“There was a moment, when Hermione and I were walking and before we met Carmen. I wondered if we would ever get home, and then I wondered if I really wanted to return. I mean, it wouldn’t have been so bad. No unwanted attention and no Voldemort.”

Dumbledore smiled at him.

“I am rather glad you returned, Harry. However I’m confident that your knack for gaining unwanted attention would have surfaced sooner or later. I’m also sure you would have found a worthy adversary to fight eventually.”

“I still feel rather ashamed. It was just selfish.”

“Not entirely, Harry. If you had stayed there, Carmen would have remained lost to us. I’m also sure that had you not gone, the damage you would have done to yourself by denying your nature would have counted against you in the end.

“We are all the sum of our experiences, Harry, good and bad. I am sure that you will now be far stronger to face the future, whatever it may hold.”

They climbed the steps together to where Hermione and Hammond were waiting for them. They were both looking at Harry and he had a feeling they both knew what he had just admitted to Dumbledore.

“Carmen’s parents arrived a few moments ago,” said Hammond smiling.

“Good,” said Dumbledore. “Now, I wonder if Carmen is well enough to attend a celebration feast. I seem to recall we promised her one when her father was sufficiently well. You’ll join us, of course, Peter?”

“Thank you, I’d be honoured.”

“Oh, Harry,” Dumbledore added apologetically. “I’m afraid you’ll have to attend lessons again from tomorrow. Professor Snape informs me you have quite a bit to catch up on.”

Harry just grimaced, accepting his fate.

*

“Come on, Harry, or we’ll be late!” urged Hermione as she pulled Harry towards the Hospital Wing. “I promised you’d come.”

“Do we really have to? All she wants is to explain this time travelling plan of hers. Like I don’t already know.”

“Do you know how the plan worked?”

“No, of course not. The point is, she’ll insist on explaining it to me like I’m a three year old and then ask me questions to see if I was listening!”

Hermione laughed.

“Well, you are a toddler compared to her intellect, aren’t you?”

“Thanks, Hermione,” he replied dryly.

“Okay, a cute toddler, though.”

“Better,” he said, coming to a halt.

“Harry, don’t slow down!” Hermione pleaded. “Okay, very cute toddler?”

“Look, let’s just arrive in time to give her only five minutes before we have to go down for the feast.”

“Honestly, Harry. Do you really think you can escape a time travelling witch?” she asked as he pulled her into an empty classroom.

“So how’s the itching?” he asked snaking his arms around her waist and pulling her closer.

“Much better thanks,” she replied laughing. “How’s yours?”

“Terrible,” he said between kisses on her neck.

Hermione placed her arms around his neck and hugged him.

“You didn’t want to come back, did you?”

“Why would I want to? We’d found Carmen and I had you.”

“And our itchy underwear,” quipped Hermione.

“Yes, but you’d have been safe. I told Dumbledore I was being selfish for thinking of staying, but really I’ve been selfish for coming back, haven’t I?”

“We will be safe, one day,” whispered Hermione before kissing him.

After a while standing and hugging each other, Harry asked, “So what happened to the book we got from the fête?”

“Oh, so you are curious to know what happened!”

“No, I’ll work it out. Even better, I could ask Carmen. Hey, that’d fill our five minutes nicely!”

“Harry, the feast started half an hour ago!”

“Oh.”

They were quiet for a moment.

“Um, so do you want to go or can I show you where it still itches?”

“Harry!”

END

Apologies for leaving out Carmen’s explanation of her plan, but rest assured Harry wouldn’t understand it! One of the older Carmens wrote the book that Gryffindor had printed. The book they brought to her was a special edition, but other prints were published. Someone found a copy and used it as a basis for the fête book, although they didn’t understand its significance. Carmen brought the fête book with her, and this she sent back with instructions and the message she would copy into the dedicated book. Obvious, really.

Other stories:-

Hammond comes back for another investigation in “Bring the Rain,” set during the Easter holidays of Harry’s Sixth Year.

Carmen makes another appearance in “Journey Home,” a story set after Harry has left Hogwarts. Here she is older and in her Third Year at Hogwarts.