A Wrinkle in Time

Rosali

Rating: PG
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 28/05/2005
Last Updated: 13/02/2006
Status: Completed

The final battle is over. Many perished in the way, and so did The Dark Lord... and Harry and Hermione lay dying on the battlefield. Ron and Luna manage a spell to give them one small wrinkle in time to give them what they deserve before it's over.

1. AWiT - Part One

Ch lovesaA/N: This is a little plot that came to my mind as I was coming back from Uni today. I started writing it and here you go! A small three-part fic. Please R&R, I LOVE your feedback.

A Wrinkle in Time

Freezin', rests his head

on a pillow made of concrete, again
Oh, Feelin' maybe he'll see a little better,

set a days, ooh yeah
Oh, hand out, faces that he sees

time again ain't that familiar, oh yeah
Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away
Someday yet, he'll begin his life again
Life again, life again...

(.- Even Flow by Pearl Jam)


PART ONE


Thunder boomed in anger at the carnage that had taken place. The sky cried to those whose life had been taken way before their time. The eternal battle between good and evil was over… at least for now, at least for this time; but at a very high price, one that made the survivors question whether each had gotten the best end of the deal.

A black pile of robes lay on the ground with nothing but dust inside. The oh-so-feared Dark Lord had finally perished after a fierce battle between him and the one he'd marked as an equal.

A cool wind seemed to clean the air that was filled with death. The dust that had once been flesh flew along with a gust that announced more peaceful times, reassuring everyone—living or dead, that he was gone for good this time.

A tall form rose from the tainted ground and looked around—to recognize all of the dead and identify those who had once filled the Hogwarts Great Gall, now reduced to piles of stone, with laughter and… and life.

He searched desperately for his partner and his friends. He found her lying on the ground, barely breathing but alive nonetheless. The young man fell to his knees, disregarding any pain he might have been in. "Luna!" he breathed urgently.

The blond girl opened her eyes and gave him a small smile. "Ronald, so happy that you came," she said weakly.

"You'll be all right. How badly are you hurt?" he asked, pulling her in his arms.

"I reckon that a few well-put healing spells should reduce the death risk," she said lightly, as if she were talking of bath towels.

"Right, healing charms. Healing class. Why can't I bloody remember any spell!" he groaned in frustration.

"Calm down, Ronald. You have to or—well, you have to," she said with a wince. Apparently she had no mortal injuries, and that made Ron even more worried because she probably had internal wounds.

After the final rising, at the end of his fifth year, two classes had been added to the curriculum: Strategic Planning and Basic Healing I, II and III. The two classes had come into play in the last battle, saving many and possibly making achievable the ultimate defeat of the Death Eaters.

He stopped and took a few steadying breaths. "I won't lose you, too," he said and did his best to calm himself down and think clearly despite the pain and weariness. "I got it!" he said and started chanting some spells as his wand glowed orange and he moved it in circles above Luna's body.

Finally, the wand stopped glowing. It had done all the good it could and she was out of mortal peril, though a visit to St.Mungos was at call when they were out of there.

The two stood, leaning on each other for support and started searching for Harry, Hermione and Neville, who had detached themselves from the main group to face the three most fearsome people in the Dark Side: Bellatrix Lestrange (who had driven Neville's parents mad and sent Sirius through the veil), Lucius Malfoy (who had killed Hermione's parents mercilessly and after a long torture), and the Dark Lord himself (who had killed Harry's parents along with thousands more.

They found Neville already tending to the few that were left alive. He used potions and his developing healer abilities to do all the good he could and save as many as possible. He was also badly hurt but didn't care in the least.

"Neville!" Ron called out and hurried to him, as much as his beaten up body would allow him and Luna.

The young man turned around. "Over there! I did the best I could but—" he trailed off. "You can still say goodbye," he said heavily to the two. It was obvious that he was grieving; it could be told from the empty and helpless look on the youthful healer's face. But there was much to be done and he knew that Harry wouldn't want him to sit there and cry over them, but to help the ones he could.

Ron nodded quickly, preparing himself for the worse with dread he had never imagined. Over the years, when losing so many people he loved, he'd learned to manage the sorrow as to not go insane himself.

His steps were unbearably short and slow despite his will to just fly across the battlefield, to his best friends. Finally he reached the spot Neville had pointed at and gasped. The two people he'd once thought indestructible and unbeatable were lying on the ground.

He took Luna's hand and they got down on their knees, one at each side of the other two. "Harry, mate. You all right?" he asked weakly, not knowing what else to say.

Harry and Hermione were clinging to each other on the ground. It appeared as if Harry had been downed and Hermione had come to him, being hit by a curse just as she was giving her back to the presumed dead Lucius.

He opened his eyes only slightly. "Ron," he said. "Glad that you're all right," the young man, that was already a legend managed to get out between coughs.

"He's dead. The three are dead," Hermione said with a sigh of relieve. "Finally we can rest."

"Wha—what are you talking about? We still need to go to the Academy, and you have to get your degree. Hermione," he trailed off at her smile; a smile Ron had hoped he'd never see in his friend's face.

"It's over, Ron. We did it," Harry said softly and coughed once more.

"Harry, no! It's not over. Well, yes it is. You defeated him but it's not—we're not over," he tried to reason with his best friend; whose place he would take right now without hesitation.

"Tell your mum that I love her."

"She's your mum," Harry corrected with a chuckle.

"And you're my brother."

"You're my brother too."

"I—I just wish we would've had more time," Hermione said in a slight sob.

"Why—why are you speaking as if you weren't going to see us again? We're here, we survived!" Ron cried desperately, his voice breaking.

Luna had been quietly watching the whole scene unfold between the Dream Team; the sacred trio that neither she, nor anyone else had been able to disrupt or infiltrate into. But now she could step inside and put to use some of the things her father had published in The Quibbler. "We may be able to do something about it," she said dreamily.

Ron gawked at her. "Can you stop death, Luna?" he asked as tears fell down his freckled cheeks, leaving trails that sparkled at the moonlight.

"No, I can't. But we can give them that. We can give them time." Ron still gaped blankly at her. "It is called the Wrinkle in Time spell. It'll make a limbo between life and death. A sort of Utopia for the ones involved; but only of they are both in the borderline," she informed.

Normally, this spell would take two people that loved the ones involved dearly. True, she had never got that involved with either of the two, but if they didn't die happy, Ron wouldn't be happy and she wasn't going to allow that to happen.

"It exists, but it is difficult. And dangerous," Hermione said faintly; her know-it-all nature never leaving her; not even in the threshold of death.

"We'll do it!" Ron said quickly, ignoring Hermione's warning.

In a minute, Luna instructed him on how to perform the spell as they encouraged the other couple to hang in there. Soon enough, they were already ready and each placed themselves on either side of the dying Harry and Hermione, lacing their hands in a circle that surrounded the other two.

They started chanting the complicated spell and repeated it two, three times. Lavender light emanated from their hands and encircled the two lying on the ground for a few moments, only to sink in on them and make them jump.

Ron stared at the process with wide eyes; almost unable to believe that he could perform such powerful magic… It was absolutely amazing the power love could have in magic in general; it could even stop death… or grant the people we love on last moment of happiness.


A/N: Part one! I know it is quite short, but it wasn't designed to be long as other stories of mine. Yes, most lines were typical dying parliaments in early '90s action/drama movies… but they were perfect.

If you liked this, you are very welcome to join me, Amynoelle and MetroDweller at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill

2. AWiT [Part Two]

A/N: Like I said, this is going to be fairly short and the storyline is not much complicated so I figured I'd make it to the second part soon (lol, though I know it is not soon enough, sorry! RL is a (insert beep! Here) ).

A Wrinkle in Time

There’ll be no strings to bind your hands

Not if my love can find your heart

And there’s no need to take a stand

For it was I who chose to start

I see no need to take me home

I’m old enough to face the dawn

Just call me angel of the morning, angel

Just touch my cheek before you leave me

Oh my baby

Just call me angel of the morning, angel

Then slowly turn away from me

(Angel of the Morning by Bonnie Tyler)


PART TWO


The light hit his closed eyes and he groaned in protest, squeezing them tightly in hopes of shutting that annoying ray out. Having no success in tuning the light off, he let his mind drift to calm awareness and felt an unusual weight half on top of him.

Still not opening his eyes, he frowned in surprise, and then the memory of last night hit him. Harry's eyes flew open and he pulled himself up so fast he thought he hurt his back and cringed… He frowned again, why was there no more pain?

At the sudden movement, Hermione gasped loudly and instinctively reached out for to her left, looking for her wand. War made people change… war made feeling-people die along with their loved ones, and Hermione and Harry were no different; they were just two people; two torn teenagers in the middle of a war, one they were bound to end at any cost… any cost.

When seeing his partner's blurry form reach out for her wand, Harry looked at her with sadness for a moment before extending his own hand to stop her darting arm. "Mione…" he said softly, "it's just me."

She exhaled a sigh. "Harry," the pretty brunette breathed, "don't do that plea—" She stopped herself and focused on her boyfriend with a puzzled expression. "What—"

"I have no idea," he responded to her question before she could finish and looked down at his body… whole and healthy, with the same clothes he'd had the previous night. "We still—"

Hermione looked at her own robes. "This is weird… I remember the battle…" she gestured with her hand. "I remember you—" Drawing in a breath, she put her hands on Harry's chest and rested her head there, sobbing softly as the trauma sunk in. "And I remember me…" she continued in a strangled voice and stopped herself again, pulling away from him and looking up with wide chestnut eyes. "What happened, Harry?"

The young man rubbed soothing circles on her back and occasionally kissed her head and smelled her hair. He couldn't be dead, for he still could feel her touch and sense her sweet scent. "I really don't know…" he admitted when she pulled away and trailed off, pulling her close again and laid his own head on hers for a few seconds, in complete silence.

A moment later, he tensed a little and Hermione gazed at him inquiringly. "What is it, Harry?" Hermione asked when noticing the change.

"I—I think I remember Ron… and Luna," he said hesitantly, not entirely sure he actually wanted to remember that.

Her eyes widened. "And they performed the Time Wrinkle spell!" the girl exclaimed in realization and her eyes started to get over-bright.

He shook his head, bewildered. "What's wrong?" he asked, wiping a tear from her pretty face.

"If the spell worked, it means that we were dying," Hermione explained, tears streaming down her visage freely, like diamonds on a silk surface.

Harry sat wordless and still for a moment. "Should've figured…" he only said quietly after the longest time. He bit his lip and stayed in silence for a moment more… taking it in. "It was too fast," the boy stated darkly and one single tear made its way from his beautiful and hardened green eyes as he drew Hermione nearer, holding her tightly as if she were slipping away from him.

She breathed into his body and swallowed the lump on her throat, pulling away a moment later. "It was, but Ron loved us enough to—"

"To give us at least a little time," he completed her sentence and a small smile tugged at his lips. "One in a million, that bloke," he said fondly.

"In two millions," Hermione corrected in a choked voice but smiled as well.

Silence fell between the lovers; a raindrop falling on the window could've made a louder sound. They just held each other until they felt they'd be ready to let go… which wasn't about to happen anytime soon.

He just couldn't believe it… dying, dead. This wasn't supposed to end like this. They were supposed to end the war and go off and live quietly and happily ever after. They were supposed to get married and have two or three children, and get a little cottage in Hogsmaede, surrounded by peace and magic; two terms that had ever come together in the same package as long as either remembered.

After a while, he thought he gathered enough courage to pull away and started to do so… but then a deep emptiness took over as soon as the warmth of her body left his so he pulled her to him again. "I love you, Mione. This wasn't how I'd planned it," he whispered against her hair; the last of his tears leaving his eyes.

She chuckled. "This definitely isn't how I had planned it either," she sobbed back. "I wanted to be with you forever."

At that little comment, Harry's eyes flew open and he lifted his head a little, finally wrapping his brain around what his best friend had done for the two of them. Indeed, he had understood it but hadn't really seen it. Harry pulled her away; a shudder run through his body but he managed a smile. "We can have that… at least for a while," he said softly.

Hermione frowned, and then her eyes widened as well in realization. "You're right! He was—Ron really did it," she exclaimed and wrapped her arms around the man she loved. "We can have it," she whispered.

After a moment of taking in the whole of her, he pulled away abruptly, much to Hermione's surprise, with a wide grin and stood from the comfortable bed, still holding her hand and thus pulling her to a sitting position.

"What's the—" she started but was cut off by Harry's open palm and she obliged, wondering what he was up to. She watched quietly as he made a complicated hand movement and then got down on one knee, with his closed fist held in front of her. She gasped and grinned, waiting for his action.

"Hermione Jane Granger, would you do me the honor of spending the rest of your—time with me and only me? I promise you I'm yours, as I have always been," he said and opened his hand. A golden glow emerged from his fist and a beautiful purple butterfly fluttered away, leaving twinkling stars as it flew and vanished in the air. "Would you marry me?"

She stared in wonder at the small show he'd put up and listened to his proposal with gleaming eyes. She had dreamed about this more than once but her dreams and fantasies were nothing compared to this moment, to his words, to the look in his eyes… those beautiful green eyes.

The ring was absolutely striking in its simplicity: silver with a small diamond rock in the centre. The rock was held between intertwined and delicate leaves, and on the inside it was engraved in calligraphic letters: "Toujours à toi" in remembrance of the summer she'd spent as an exchange student in Beauxbeatons, after which they had both discovered their feelings for each other.

"I had it made earlier this year and was planning on giving it to you after graduation," he explained. "Ron knew, that's why we kept sneaking to Hogsmaede… Remember how you told us off the two times you caught us? And that you got upset we hadn't taken you? Well, here's your explanation," he said with a smile.

"I—it's beautiful, Harry. I don't know what to say…"

"Yes could be a good start," he said hesitantly.

"Oh, silly! Of course yes! I love you!" she exclaimed and threw herself at him, kissing him all over. "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I will marry you!"

He gathered her in a tight hug and laughed at her reaction. "I love you so much!" he echoed her words.

Suddenly, Hermione pulled away. "We should go somewhere, right now!"

Harry laughed a little more and helped her up. "First we got to go and get you a dress as beautiful as you… which is almost impossible."

"Oh, you're just trying to win me over!"

"I thought I already had!" Harry said indignant and Hermione hit him on the chest playfully. "Off we go then!" Harry exclaimed, pushing as far back in his mind as he possibly could the fact that this wasn't really real and that sooner or later the spell would be over, and so would all of this. Better get the best of it instead of—

Hermione smiled brightly at his boy—at his fiancée. There was a small shadow in her smile; the same that was in her eyes, but she pushed it away as she felt his hand taking hers. Better make good use of this time instead of—

of crying over spilled milk.


OOC: The Italics are the thoughts, just to clear doubts before they even come. The fic has now become a four part one because the second part would be WAY too long and out of the format I chose.

Hope you liked it and you are very welcome to join me, AmyNoelle and MetroDweller at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill

3. AWiT [Part Three]

A/N: Ahhhh… you though I had abandoned it, didn't you? I NEVER abandon what I begin. Well, almost never lol. Third part at last. Not sure though if there is going to be a fourth part though… we'll see.

It's fluff time! I hope you like it; I certainly do like how it has come out :D It might have scenes a bit high-tones, so take that in count. Please R&R, you know and I can't stop telling you how much I love your reviews. Even a "Great job!" or a "You suck, throw your pen to a box and seal it under seven keys" is cool! Lol.

A Wrinkle in Time

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

(.- Blackbird by The Beatles)


PART THREE


It was done; all he had left to do was watch as the life of the two greatest heroes the Wizardring World had ever seen faded away. At least they are happy… he thought with the last amount of hope he had left running through his veins.

He sat there, unwilling to move from his best friends' side as their life escaped them. Soon after the spell had been successfully cast, Neville had cried out for help from the other two, but Ron just couldn't move and Luna knew why, so she decided to aid the young healer after giving Ron a small kiss on the forehead. "I will be right back," she whispered.

Ron didn't even acknowledge her kiss or her leaving. He just blinked a couple of times and stared at Harry and Hermione, so close to each other… even in death. He would've loved to be there with them but knew he couldn't. They wouldn't have wanted him to abandon everything; they would want me to move on…but how? His mind kept repeating even though it was absolutely for nothing. This time is theirs… at last he finished in his head and sighed; just watching, and waiting. The consummation of the love they had never been able to really live with the war raging in the outside world… at last, he repeated silently.

Ever since the two had started falling, Harry had always been too worried in finding the Horcruxes and Hermione had stood right besides him, just like he had. But it had been different with them; it wasn't noticeable, but the "emotional range of a teacup" of Ron's had always known better. From the glances they exchanged often to the way she helped him with the spells and a number of other small things that only someone who knew them so well could perceive.

Ron reached out and caressed Hermione's blood-stained cheek. "Oh, goodness. You always knew, didn't you?" he asked her as her chest barely rose and fell.

His clear blue eyes, filled with unshed tears, landed then on Harry. His glasses were broken, and a lock of long raven hair covered half his face. Ron pushed the hair away to discover the scar and sighed. "And to think I thought it was so cool when I first met you…" he trailed off with a shallow laugh.

"Now I sort of understand Sirius, you know? He had to find your parents dead back then, and he couldn't even give them this; he was alone," he added with grieve engraved all over his cracked voice, and then kissed Harry's scar, like Hermione had done so many times before. "My best mate, you'll always be," he said as the tears finally came and Ron didn't make the faintest effort to hold them back or make them stop. He had to grieve; he wanted to grieve for the two people he had loved the most in his entire life.

The pain in his chest was unbearable, and he felt light headed. "You are taking part of me with you," he whispered at the two. "Because I am sure that this pain can only mean that I am joining you…" he added to the air.

A moment later, Ron fell back from his knees to his feet and sobbed to the fresh night, looking up at the sky, oblivious to the rest of the world. The stench from dead and injured bodies, the cries from the survivors and the screams of the Healers crew that was coming to them could very easily had been in another dimension, for all he knew.

He felt soft steps on the ground behind him and then long blond hair entered his field of vision, just as a small hand's weight fell on his shoulders. "Luna…" he whispered and took his hand from Harry's head to hers on his right shoulder.

She leaned and kissed him, kneeling next to him. "Ronald, the healers must take a look at you," she told him softly.

"No, I'm not leaving them. Not until they stop breathing and their hearts stop beating…never," he said; his voice sounded so far off… Luna nodded and just stayed there with him, understanding his statement completely.

A healer came from behind. "We have two here!" he screamed. "Miss, you all right?" he asked and his gaze traveled from the red head to Luna and then to Harry and Hermione, tangled onto each other.

Luna nodded. "Yes, I am fine, thanks," she told the healer and gave the man a pointed look to Ron's left side, which was bleeding pretty badly. She didn't want to tear him from his friends but if that wasn't taken care of, he was likely to join the two in the other world… which she was sure he could be wishing for at the moment.

The healer's eyes widened at the big wound and he wondered how he was so steadily sat. He hurried to Ron. "Sir, we have to get you to St.Mungos," he told Ron and took his arm.

The tall man yanked away from him surprisingly violently, given his state; and in the blink of an eye, he had the healer at wand point. "Don't dare do that again," he warned, his eyes returning to Harry and Hermione, who now had small smiles creeping at their mouths. Ron smiled with them but it didn't last much; just as he held his wand against the healer's neck, a sharp pain invaded him and he doubled over, not letting out one single cry.

"Ronald, please!" Luna pleaded.

"No! I am NOT leaving them!" he yelled, straightening with a fierce move.

"We HAVE to take you to the hospital or else you'll die!" the healer matched Ron's loud voice and then darted forward just as the young man collapsed to the ground, unconscious. "We need to be quick; he's getting close to the other side."

"Yes, take him. I'll stay with Harry and Hermione," Luna assured.

The healer had stood with Ron in his arms when Luna mentioned the names, and his eyes widened. "Are they—" he started, uncertain.

"Yes, and please don't disrupt them," she added with finality in her voice.

The man hesitated but at last obliged Luna's tacit order and handed her a few pain killing potions. "This shall do for now," he told her and vanished in the air, with Ron in his arms.


Harry and Hermione clung to each other in the same position they were at the battlefield for a moment. Finally, he pulled back and took Hermione by the shoulders. "Let's go then!" he exclaimed with a grin that was a little cynic, but was sincere in some way.

Hermione looked down and away with a small smile and then turned to Harry with a grin that matched his. "All right, on our way then! We don't have that much time," she informed and took his hand, getting up from the bed.

They came out of the Head Boy's Chambers and walked out of the Portrait Hallof the Gryffindor Common Room. Instinctively, Harry put a hand in front of Hermione and looked left and right for any signs of Mrs.Norris or someone but sagged a second later. "Right, no one in the castle"

Hermione was chuckling not-too-softly when Harry said this, and he turned around with a frown and a smile. "Are you making fun of me? You can't really blame me… after so many years of sneaking around," he said defensively.

Hermione's chuckles subsided and she shook her head. "No, Harry, I', not making fun of you. I was just…"

"What? You were just what?"

"Look around, Harry. Where are we?"

"Uhm… school?"

"Exactly! Isn't it strange that instead of appearing in some strange and exotic place, we both chose to end it all here? Where it started?"

He looked around and a small smile tugged at his lips. "You're right, it is kind of strange. Guess that no other place felt so much like home, ever," he said with a shrug.

"Home is the place where you've felt the happiest…" Hermione muttered and squeezed Harry's hand softly.

"With you… and Ron," he finished the sentence and kissed the brunette's cheek tenderly.

"Home…" she repeated as they reached the great oak doors of the Entrance to the castle.

They walked, holding hands all the way through the grounds, past Hagrid's Hut and into the Forbidden Forest; to the limit where they could finally apparate to Hogsmaede. "I have no idea where we are going…" Harry said casually when they materialized in the beautiful village. The road was covered by a thin layer of grass and all the small houses looked amazingly lovely under the spring sun.

Hermione just walked around and smelled with sadness the air of peace… and tranquility; something non would have in real life. But there was a small smile on her lips that said she knew they had this time and nothing would spoil it. Not an attack, not Lord Voldemort, not even Ron and his eternal complaints on how mental Luna was; even though he loved the girl more than even he knew.

Harry watched her walk and look at the sky with a content expression. He needed nothing more than her… He squeezed her hand as to call to her attention and grinned when she jumped a little. "Easy, love," he said and kissed her softly on the lips. "Where d'ya want to go? You already have the clothes…" he said, looking down at her in amazement.

"And so do you…" Hermione added with a laugh.

She was wearing a knee-long navy skirt and a lavender, rather tight, t-shirt. Very comfortable, very flattering to her slender figure. At the same time, Harry was into a pair of dark blue jeans and a maroon v-neck that had a thin, amber line across the chest. Curiously enough, it also said good things about his own thin yet muscular body after almost three arduous years of training for that wretched final battle, Hermione's mind thought, without her consent.

"I would even dare think you dressed me, Mr.," the girl said instead, looking down at herself and what she was wearing; she didn't remember having clothes like these.

Harry blushed a little and laughed. "What about you?" he said, looking down at himself as well.

"What about me?"

He laughed louder and kissed her head. "Nothing, love, nothing…" he whispered. "So, what yeh want to do?"

She thought for a moment, biting the nail of her right thumb slightly, as she always did when she was making an important decision. The way she leaned her head to a side and two locks of hair fell to her face was something Harry had always loved.

He felt an urge to just wrap his arms around her and never let go off her in hopes that maybe he could help what was imminent to the both, but he held back and just waited as the beautiful woman in front of him finished.

At last, she looked up and her eyes sparkled like a little girl's on Christmas Day. “I want to have one of those sappy, romantic Hollywood movies days, where it feels like the whole world’s rearranged itself just for us," she said with hope and innocence in her words.

"I want to go somewhere safe where no one knows us and no one will want to harm us, where we don’t have to be who we usually are so we can just be who we want to be right now…for this one time," Hermione continued and emotions rushed up to her head in an unstoppable eruption.

She paused a moment, biting her lip and then continued speaking. "I want strangers to see us on the street and feel envious and wish that they were in love like we are. I want to feel like those pop songs say; I want old couples to see us and remember how they were when they were our age."

She finally stopped and focused on Harry for the first time, just to see the man she loved, blinking back tears; and she was speechless as he took her hands in his and kissed them, shutting his eyes tightly and letting his lips rest on the soft skin beneath them.

“What?” she said, concerned she’d done or said something wrong. “Harry, what?”

“I don’t want it to end,” he said in a choked voice. “I feel like I’m seeing a whole new part of you and it only makes me love you more," he said and looked down. "I feel we've been in this twilight zone for so long and I—it is not fair! I want it, I want us. Why weren't we given the opportunity!" he questioned angrily and lifted his face… and she saw just then that he was actually and really crying.

Hermione thought her heart would break at just seeing those innocent tearsrunning down his scarred face; and she wasn't talking about the damned scar in his forehead; she was talking about all the tolls that battles throughout seven years had left; and only now she was noticing them.

Harry's face dropped again and Hermione wanted so badly to just take the pain away from him; give this man the happiness he deserved! And to think that they only had a day to live what they were supposed to live forever…or at least for a long time. But it seemed that her body didn't agree with her instinct, and she just stood there, watching.

At her silence, Harry looked up and sighed; a deep and shuddering sigh. “But it has to, doesn’t it?”

She nodded. “It’s awful, I know," Hermione agreed, swallowing back the tearsthat threatened to overcome her willpower. "But we can't dwell on it, or we'll lose it, Harry…" she said softly, brushing away the tears from his face and kissing his scar in hopes of transmitting all of her love to him in that small gesture.

He drew back, forcing a smile. “Then no more regrets. Let’s make the most of the time we have. We’ll go wherever you want to go and have that perfect day. Even if it is not real, I want to believe that it is.”

“Good,” she said, kissing him again. “So where should we go?”

“Well, judging by how things have been happening, I daresay we can go anywhere we like. Somewhere romantic? Paris? Maybe Rome?”

She thought for a moment. “Actually, there is one place I’ve always wanted to go.”

"Lead the way then," he said and took her hand firmly, closing his eyes to let the magic of the spell take them were Hermione wanted to go

When she opened her eyes, her first though was Ginny was right. Venice was the most beautiful and romantic place she’d ever seen. The air seemed overflowing with passion and scents that inspired the mind to thoughts filled with warmth and ardor the coldest of persons.

When she’d proposed the whole "sappy movie romantic day" idea, she hadn’t sheltered many hopes that it would actually live up to her expectations, but by probably the second block of walking, she’d decided that the fates (or Ron and Luna, more likely) must have known this was their one chance for a few idyllic hours, so they’d decided to cooperate. It was just as perfect and magical as she could've ever imagined. Even more so than the proposition, if that was possible.

It was cool enough to walk without feeling all sticky, but warm enough not to require coats. The sun was shining and a light breeze teased their hair with fresh peace that none had ever experienced. Everyone was friendly, and the streets were filled with flowers, happy tourists and colorful locals. There was even a natural-food market and an outdoor movie festival. She’d never felt so beautiful or light of heart as she did on that day, and he had never looked as handsome to her as he did now.

Not an hour had passed, when they jumped into one of the traditional ”Gondolas” of Venice. The man with the red and white striped shirt had the same stick they had in postcards; it was almost like a dream; a dream of freedom that was to end soon, but not just now.

They spent over an hour sailing through the chanells of the “city of water streets”, just looking around, breathing the cool and clean air and enjoying each other’s company in almost silence. What the two were thinking at the moment, didn’t really matter, nor they were going to vent it, which was rather good, considering the situation. They exchanged glances every minute or so and smiled at each other, kissing occassionally, but never letting go off the hold they had of the other.

After they went back to solid ground, they spent most of the remaining afternoon walking and seeing the sights. Just the fact that they were walking hand on hand with not a worry in the world was enough to distract the two from pointless brain overworking and psychological traumas, but Hermione was constantly having to stop any extreme brain waves from taking place at risk of spoiling the moment. It’s okay, she reassured herself. You’ve been given a gift most people never get…the chance to experience what it would be like to have your deepest, most secret wish granted, she kept repeating, and apparently, it worked, for everytime she told herself that, it gave her a longer moment of enjoyable giddiness.

When the two realized they were extremely hungry, they made a few inquiries (curiously enough, the two spoke perfect italian) and found just the kind of restaurant they were looking for; somewhere they could just chill and chat over a glass of wine and candlelight and not feel self-conscious about constantly gazing at each other with stupid face; something they had both failed to do after assuming the determination on 'no regrets'.

Perhaps sensing their mood (or perhaps due to the spell), the host sat them at a secluded table near a window and bid them to take their time, and they did. They enjoyed for the first time in their lives a long, unperturbed evening.

When they emerged from the restaurant it was dark, and the lights of Venice had transformed it into a twinkling wonderland. They walked hand in hand without a destination, content just to walk together; and yet, with the sunset came a new sobriety.

Hermione’s giddiness had left her, and midnight was approaching fast. She sensed the awareness on Harry as well and had to stop a moment to talk about it, but neither seemed to want to speak and possibly say something that might cause them to acknowledge that this was going to end very soon, so she reengaged their way, looking down at the polished stones of the floor.

Suddenly, the grey floor started turning like a portkey, and Hermione gasped, instinctively grabbing Harry's arm. The floor materialized on a different kind of stone and she frowned, looking up at an equally bewildered Harry. "Wha—"

"We're back at the Head Boy Chamber..."

"Back to the beginning."

"Guess Venice had nothing more, huh?"

Hermione sighed and looked down, knowing that the time was quickly approaching for the two. But when she looked up, she had a smile plastered on her pretty face. “Yeh, the boats and that stuff are boring after a while...” Her smile failed a moment and then softened when she swallowed.

Harry nodded and just grabbed her, holding the woman he loved close. He took a hand to her face and they were looking into each other’s eyes. “I love you,” he kissed her, “thank you for the best day ever,” Harry whispered and kissed her again.

She kissed him back and wrapped her arms around him, placing intermitent kisses on his lips, nose, cheeks, slowly at first, as if by making it slow, she could stretch the Wrinkle, which was impossible.

Harry’s kissed grew hotter as her lips reached the rest of his face. He kissed her passionately; a hand cupping the back of her head and the other one on her shoulder, and traveling down as the intensity of teh kissed grew and the warmth teh two emanated started to be felt by both.

They were already kissing every avaliable part of the other’s body when they got close enough to the bed. They stumbled a few more steps along and then she gasped as Harry suddenly picked her up. It felt dizzyingly erotic to be literally swept off her feet and carried off to be thrown to the bed. It was indeed a little too cavesmen, she had to admit, but she couldn’t say it was an utter turn on.

He set her down in the darkened bedroom. They had only a few precious hours left, and they didn’t intend to waste a single second of it. He embraced her from behind, molding his body against hers, his hands sliding down her chest and under the t-shirt, which had, conveniently enough, just grown buttons.

“Oh, Harry!” she cried with a giggle as Harry started unbuttoning it slowly, with a few well-placed kissed per button undone.

Hermione felt her flesh shivering and warming under his touch as he cupped and caressed her belly and breasts. “Champagne cup...” Harry muttered.

She couldn’t help the goosebumps that formed all over her body at his breath on her skin. “What’s... champagne?” she asked between hesitant moans.

“Champagne cup size...” he muttered with a smile. “I...” he kissed her right breasts, “don’t want to sound rude...” he traveled to her left, “but you have...” he kissed in the middle, “perfect breasts...” he finished, his arousal more intense with every passing second.

Hermione threw her head back as his tongue made contact with her bare chest. “Harry...” she moaned. She kissed him deeply, putting her own arms around him and taking off his shirt, letting her hands wonder to his butt afterwards. “I can’t believe how good this feels,” she said against his mouth. This was most definitely not their first time, but it was probably their last and their first as a “married” couple at the same time; something that probably hightened their senses to the maximum.

Harry drew her close and lowered her gently to the bed, stretching out next to her. They finished undressing each other slowly, taking their time, following each piece of clothes with quite a pleasant amount of caresses and kisses in the newly stripped body part.

All of a sudden, a sharp pain cut through Harry's mid-section, and he cried out loud. "Merlin! Harry! What's the matter!" Hermione cried desperately and pulled away from over him, touching him, trying to feel around for what was wrong.

"I—don't—know—" he breathed, his eyes misted with painful tears.

She felt around, trying to find the source of his pain to heal it or at least do something about it! She then felt something warm wetting her hand and she gasped, pulling her hand back and seeing what it was with a horror that froze her very insides. "Oh, goodness! You're bleeding!"

He let out a few unintelligible words; muffled by his clenched teeth as to not cry out loud. "Harry, don't speak… stay with me pl—aaaaahhhh!" Hermione let out a scream that sounded as agonizing as the Cruciatus Curse. "It—it's happening…" she said with a mix of a whimper and horrible dread.


A/N: A one or two page Epilogue is the most likely. I hope you liked the chapter. I started on the latest chapter of What is Love? But it was SO HORRIBLE! I deleted three pages cuz they just sucked! I'm serious! I will see what I can do about it.

I’ve already started the Epilogue, so if everything goes well, you will have it soon. Hopefully I will get round to What is Love?, Was and Will Be, Darling Jo, Death and Paradise in Rome and others soon. Not to mention my novel and the script I’m presenting for “Project 48” of TNT (Yes! I will be participating! Yay!)

Anyway, enough about me. You are very much welcome to discussion, requests, questions, doubts, some horror (not error lol) of the author as she wrote a chapter, pickyness from you (because I know that I am a pain in the arse when I review, hehe) in grammar or spelling, etc. at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill

4. AWiT [Epilogue] - The Echoes of History

A Wrinkle in Time

A/N: At last! The Epilogue and closing chapter of A Wrinkle in Time. Believe it or not, in the three years I have of Fanfiction writing, this is the very first story I finish. I have everything arranged for all my stories, but I have never finished one, lol.

Anyway, this is a very sad chapter, so you better have your kleenex box near lol. Happy reading! And next chapter of “What is Love?” is coming soon!

EPILOGUE

The Echoes of History

Great battles under the north star
Fighting for honour and blood
With iron will under the sun wheel
Hallowed be the fight

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

Heroism in the blitzkrieg
Baptized with flesh and steel
Bounded by the sun wheel
Hallowed be the war

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

Marching through the ruins
Hold high our right hands
Killing under the sun wheel
Hallowed be the death

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

(.- Fallen Heroes by Natchfalke)


I hope someday we are as happy as they look right now... Luna mused as she watches Harry and Hermione lying there, a peaceful smile in each their young faces. Hours ago, the battlefield had cleared of survivours and victims. The remaining auros and mediwizard corps kept popping in and out of the clearing, taking people ether to the hospital or the wizard’s morgue.

“I wouldn’t like a visit there,” Luna told her unconscous friends, “it is creepy, the wizard’s morgue; even more than the muggle’s, you know?” She had been with them almost a day; Neville brought her food and water, along with news from Ron, but he could never stay long because he had to go back to St.Mungo’s. So Luna was pretty much alone with Harry and Hermione.

“You know? I once saw a living dead. No, not an Inferi but a living dead. And he didn’t want me to know he was dead... he told me...” she continued talking to them. “Ron will be along soon, they didn’t want to let him go but he kicked some mediwitch arse and he is facing Molly,” she shuddered. “She is nice, scary, but nice,” the blond girl laughed.

“She was very sad when she heard the news... and Fred didn’t let her come. They all love you very much...” She pushed a wet lock of hair from Hermione’s face; something between sweat, water and her own blood. Luna stared at Hermione; it was amazing to her how she looked so good; even in a situation like this... she thought with sadness at the knowledge that she... that the two would soon be gone.

“He loves you so much...” Luna said, her voice cracking. “Even more than he could ever love me.” The sounds of her words echoed in nothingness and then died down for a moment, after which she changed the subject. “He really kicked some evil butt, you know?Harry, you would be so proud of all the DA... I know, you already are,” Luna smiledand wiped his face a little, studying the features of the world’s greatest heroe in her eyes.

A small tear fell down her cheek, and she didn’t hear a CRACK behind her, that announced someone coming. A warm hand on her face made Luna gasp and she turned around, a small smile decorated her pale lips. “Ronald! You scared me,” she said and quickly took her hand to the small salty trail on her face, but Ron stopped her.

“Don’t—hold back for me,” he said softly, and with his thumb, he caressed her wet cheek. “I’m here now,” he added and looked down at Harry and Hermione, gently touching each as to let them know he was finally there.

“He really was proud of them...” he whispered, not taking his blue eyes from his friend. He raised his face to look at Luna, gathering her into a tight hug. “Thank you.”

She was a bit taken aback, and then laughed. “For what?” she asked, bewildered.

“For staying with them... For being with me... For everything,” he paused and drew back. “For surviving,” he finished with overnbright eyes and kissed her lovingly.

“Oh, don’t be silly, Ronald!” she laughed. “It’s not—“

“It IS a great deal for me. You—“ he began but never got round to the sentence, for Harry had suddenly jumped and coughed, blood coming out of his mouth in each spasm.

“Bloody hell!” Ron exclaimed and took the young man to his lap. “Harry!”


Hermione screamed aloud again. The pain went even deeper tan the Cruciatus Curse’s and she fell form bed after and instnctive attempt to ease the pain. She curled herself in a ball on the floor hoping that it would subside. “Harry— it— hurts,” she managed to cry in a strangled voice.

“Mione!” Harry tried to reach out for her before she fell, but the pain was too intense and prevented him from moving a limb.

The original shock past, Harry managed to lift his eyes and he wasn’t sure at that moment whether his injuries or the sight before him hurt more.Hermione had wrapped her arms around her knees and there was no perceptible movement... except a small tremble... she was crying in silence, shaking from pain.

He couldn’t bear it. The sole thought of his Hermione in so much pain was too much for him. Harry gathered himself with more willpower than he knew he had and crawled to the floor, managing to get closer to her and hold the woman he loved so much in his arms once more.

He felt Hermione’s cry die down slowly as their heartbeats jined in one last tune. Harry relaxed at an exhaled sigh that came from the deepest of Hermione’s soul; it was s plit second of calm right before another wave of pain whipped through his body. He coughed and dark blood stained Hermione¡s beautiful dress. “I’m sorry...” he whispered in her ear.

“I love you Harry,” she said and let her head fall back a little so it rested on Harry’s chest and she felt his uneven breaths accelerate at his trying to fight back the pain. “I o

would go with you to the gates of hell,” she managed to get out and coughed softly. “You... you are my life... thank you,” she said at last and closed her eyes.

Warm tears were threatening to get out of his beautiful eyes and he kissed her head. “Thank you,” he echoed her words with the most sincerity one could hear in a man’s voice. “I would have wished it—“

“No, don’t—“ she interrupted. “I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way ,” she assured as firmly as her dying self allowed her.

“We’ll... always be together...” Harry finally said and let his eyes rest as the fantasy world Ron had given them vanished in absolutel darkness.


Blue eyes were fixed on the couple lying on the ground, awaiting any sign at all of what was going on with them. All the peace from minutes ago, had contorted into the most angsty pain in both faces. At each gesture or movement, Ron’s heart broke into a thousand pieces more. “Merlin! They are dying! Horrible... painfiul deaths!” he exclaimed. “Can’t we do anything?” the redhead cried desperately.

“We already have, Ronald!”

“Well, it is not enough!” Let’s do the spell again! And again! And forever if we need to!” he demanded and took Luna’s hand, but she didn’t follow his lead; she just stared at Ron with big eyes full of sadness. “What are you waiting for!” he screamed.

“Ronald! We can’t!”

“Of course we can! And we will!”

“Please! Don’t—don’t,” she whispered in a plead and looked away, her eyes crystal with tears.

“No! This is worse than last time!”

“Yes, it is, but there is nothing more we can do. They are dying for real now.”

“We’ve got to make it all right. We have to fix it.”

“We can’t! We can’t fool death twice, Ronald!” Luna let her tears fall at Ron’s pain; her usually calm demenour, falling apart quickly.

“No, no, no, no...” he said over and over again, hsi voice dropping with each repeating word.

“They are coming round, calm down please,” Luna said with a soothing tone in her voice. Ron obliged, his attention fully on Harry and Hermione again.

Hermione stirred once more and squinted her eyes, opening them slowly. Ron leaned forward and reached out for her forehead. “Hey...” he said gently, “Mione...” Ron caressed her hair and smiled.

“R—Ron?”

“Yes... yes, it’s me. You’re all right now.”

“No, I’m not, but thank you,” she said and laughed softly, a twisted sort of smile on her lips.

“I—“ Ron started but Harry opened his eyes next. “Harry! Mate!”

“Really screwed up, didn’t I?”

“No! How can you say that! You saved us all!”

“Yeah, but I was supposed to survive... and we were supposed to grow old,” he managed to ge out with a bitter chuckle.

Ron was about to respond when a serious of POPs were heard, and he looked up and around. “What are you all—?“ he began, but when he saw Ginny, barely standing and the rest of the people standing there, he understood what they were doing there. They wanted to pay a last tribute to Harry... and Hermione.

Harry coughed again, more blood sputtering from his mouth now, and Ron instinctively wrapped his arms around his upper section. “It’ll be over soon... I promise,” he said in Harry’s ear.

“I hope so, because it hurts... bad,” the young man responded to his friend.

“I know, I know, Harry.”

“Take care of them, please,” he asked Ron.

“I will, don’t worry,” resignation rung on his voice, but he was glad this was going to end for them finally.

“I love you, mate, I really do.”

“Oh, Harry!” Ron threw his arms around his best friend. “I love you too,” he echoed and turned to Hermione, brushing his hand through her cheek. “And I love you like you have no idea, my dear Hermione.”

She raised a hand to touch his and smiled. “I love you too, Ron. Thank you...” Hermione said and closed her eyes a moment.

Ron leaned forward and kissed her forehead, resting his lips there a moment and then drawing back. “You’ll find peace now, you deserve it.”

Harry smiled at Ron. “Thank you, you are the best mate,” he said to him and then he let his head fall to the side to look at Hermione for one last time and smiled. “I love you,” he mouthed to her. “Together.”

“To the end,” Hermione finished the sentence and exhaled her last breath. Her eyes closed and her shoulders sagged, her slender form going limp, and she looked so small; something that was almost unconcieveable for Ron.

Harry’s hand squeezed Hermione’s one last time and he, too, let his tired soul rest after so much pain and suffering. His gaze went to Ron, and then back to Hermione, the light from his eyes leaving their green house forever.

Ron watched this last exchange, not knowing if he too, was going to let death take him at that moment, because this sure hurt as if he were dying. He swallowed, unable to make one sound and reached out for Harry’s face, closing his eyes. “Constant vigilance... till his last breath,” he whispered, no more tears streaming for he hadn’t any left.

By now, there were over two hundred people standing around the four; all in complete silence, just mourning. Ron stared at the two lifeless bodies, and deep sorrow took him over, with a fresh wave of tears. He pursed his lips and closed his eyes, trying to gain control of his own emotions and then threw himself over the two youngsters that had just died in his arms.

He cried for a few minutes as a sad tune started to echo in the dark. With a great effort, Ron pulled himself away and looked up at the circle of people, centaurs, house-elves and many other creatures singing around. “They are gone,” he said in a low voice.

Molly Weasely’s cry was the first one to be heard, followed by Ginny’s and few others, while the rest continued to sing for their fallen heroes. That night was filled with a bitter sense of victory... they would have peace now... and this was the cost. The sad song in the night was the echo that history brought along and the wind carried the news to the farthest ends of the world.

Everyone in the magical world mourned, and rejoiced, for war was over, but Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived was now gone.


A/N: Oh, God, that was intense. I am totally drained. I hope you liked this little story and I hope that this can also be used as a reflection to what war can bring to good people, innocent people...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill