Walk Alone

sticknsnitches

Rating: PG
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 11/07/2005
Last Updated: 05/09/2005
Status: In Progress

Harry returns to Hogwart's for his sixth year having made several new revelations.

1. Return to Hogwarts

Following Sirius’ death Harry had barely spoken to anyone, and certainly not about Sirius. His months at the Dursley’s were in a way reassuring. He wasn’t forced to face daily reminders of his godfather there were enough of those in his head as it was. The Dursley’s also didn’t badger him constantly to talk or share his feelings so he was able to work through his grief in his own way. And he did grieve, and remember, and think. Not only did Harry have Sirius’ death to deal with he also couldn’t forget what Dumbledore had told him, the prophecy that had called for either his life or Voldemort’s. Harry had come up with various plans during these months; ranging from leaving England and never looking back, to isolating himself from everyone and everything he’d ever known or cared about until it was time to fight. Logically he knew neither of these would work but it was hard to convince himself of that.

Harry had kept up minimal contact with the wizarding world while at the Dursley’s. He wrote his requisite notes to the Order every three days and would occasionally reply to the worried letters sent by his best friends. He knew he was hurting them, especially Hermione, by not writing more, but right then he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He was numb and anything he wrote she would be able to see right through. Writing nothing was the safer choice. But as the days crept by, getting closer to the start of his sixth year, new thoughts and ideas began to form. He knew that Sirius’ death was not for nothing, he knew it had taught him a most powerful lesson. He couldn’t take anything for granted anymore, especially time. So this is where the new Harry began, losing the scared, skinny, sensitive boy in the shadow of the brave young man who confidently arrived at King’s Cross station ready to begin his sixth year.

Harry had spent his entire break from school at his aunt and uncle’s. He never asked to leave and it was never brought up to him. He had an idea Lupin was responsible for this; knowing that it would be too hard on Harry to return to Order headquarters so soon after Sirius had died. Harry had arrived early at the station due to his uncle’s impatience of getting rid of him. Harry knew he had an Order guard with him, but made no attempt to acknowledge them. One of the benefits of Vernon’s intolerance of Harry was that he was able to secure a room at the end of the car. In the back of the train, there would be less chance of people stopping by to chat, gawk, or cause general mayhem if there was a Slytherin involved. Harry had been in his seat for about a half hour thinking about what this year could bring, when Hedwig gave a soft hoot and the door slowly slid open. A quiet voice turned down the hallway and said ‘He’s here’.

Harry looked up just as Ron was joining Hermione in the doorway. Neither of them said anything as they drug in Pig’s cage and Crookshanks’ carrier. Hermione sat on the bench next to Harry and Ron sat across from him. Harry turned to look at Ron and was surprised at what he saw. If it was possible, Ron seemed to have gotten taller, but there was something else, almost an air of maturity. Ron looked him straight back in the eye, and there was an unspoken bond ‘I’ve got your back, mate.’ The Ron of last summer would have been insensitive and obnoxious and would have already spoken in anger about not coming to headquarters or not writing, but something had happened to him, Harry was sure and he felt a flash of guilt at not having kept in better touch with him. Ron nodded and Harry was sure they would talk more about the summer soon, but that other things needed to be attended to first.

The other thing was sitting next to him. Harry was secretly glad Hermione had chosen to sit next to him and not where he would have to make direct eye contact with her. Disappointing Hermione was one of his biggest fears. Taking a deep breath, he turned towards her and cast a quick glance at her face. Hermione had always been more intuitive than most people gave her credit for. She had watched the exchange between Harry and Ron carefully and had quickly noticed some important changes. The new Ron she had already seen, she knew what had brought that change and had seen it come about. But the new Harry had come as quite a shock to her. She would have never thought it possible to look both defeated and confident at the same time. And then she knew why. Faster than anyone could imagine, Hermione Granger’s brain processed what she knew and what she was seeing and came to the correct and most frightening conclusion. Harry would have to fight Voldemort in the end, or die trying. Harry’s gaze finally made it to her eyes and what he saw there stopped him cold. One tear had already made its way down her face with a pool soon to follow. ‘She knows’ he thought. How, he couldn’t imagine, but the look of complete terror and anguish on her face was enough.

Hermione broke the silence with a shaky sob, “Oh No Harry. It can’t be! It just can’t! There has to be another way! We’ll find it…I’ll research… maybe a new spell, or charm. Or maybe a new curse!!” At this point Hermione shot straight up and started searching frantically through her bag. “I must have a quill, I just bought three new ones last week!” She sniffed loudly and upended her bag all over the floor. Before she could drop to her knees to comb through her belongings Harry grabbed her by the shoulders and made her turn to look at him.

“Hermione!” he said forcefully, getting her attention.

She stopped her erratic movements and looked at him, tears coming silently now, her breath hitching as she tried to calm herself.

“He will not win,” Harry said slowly and pointedly “I do not intend to lose. This will all end. I’ll make sure of it.” At this, Hermione’s face crumpled again.

“But Harry, why you? Why is it always you? You’ve had enough,” she said and then dropped her head forward to rest it on his chest. Harry had no answer for her and let go of her arms so that he could pull the rest of her towards him in a hug. Hermione continued to weep, silently now and then reached out a hand towards Ron who grasped it strongly and gave her a grim smile as she peeked at him around Harry’s shoulder.

The trio stayed this way until Hermione’s cries turned to sniffles. Finally she slowly lifted her head and let go of Ron’s hand. She looked up at Harry and smiled bravely before dropping down amid the contents of her bag to search for a tissue.

Once they were all seated again, Harry said, “We need to talk, but not here. Tonight in the common room after everyone else has gone to bed.” The other two nodded and they continued their trip on to Hogwarts in relative silence. Occasionally, Hermione would reach over suddenly and grab Harry’s hand, giving it a squeeze and then going back to petting Crookshanks or exchange a sad look with Ron, but they talked little and no one came to their car to disturb them.

Before too long, Ron and Hermione had to don their robes and pin on their prefect badges. Turning to Harry, Hermione began to apologize, but Harry cut her off with a wave of his hand. “Go, it’s ok. I know you have to go,” he said with an honesty that surprised her. “I’ll take care of these guys for you,” he said with a nod to Pig and Crookshanks, “and I’ll see you at the feast.”

“Are you sure, Harry?” Hermione started. “I’m sure one of us could stay with you, they’d understand.”

“Go,” he said again, more firmly this time. Harry then turned to Ron. “Make her go please,” he said lightly.

Ron smiled understandingly. “Come on Hermione, you heard the man,” and tugged on her sleeve as he stepped into the corridor.

Hermione gave Harry one more questioning look and then slowly followed Ron out the door. Harry turned back into the compartment to sit down when he was suddenly enveloped from behind by Hermione. She squeezed him hard and then whispered in his ear, “It’ll be ok” before releasing him and vanishing.

Harry stood still for a while, hearing Hermione’s words over and over in his head before shaking himself out of his thoughts and starting to gather up all their belongings.

The Hogwarts Express pulled into the station at Hogsmeade and Harry waited patiently until he could barely hear any noise in the corridor. His goal was to at least make it to the feast without being hounded. Finally, he opened the door to the hallway and struggled out of the train, climbing aboard one of the last thestral pulled coaches headed for Hogwarts.

As soon as the coach arrived at the massive entrance doors to the castle, Harry opened the owls’ cages and let them go. Once inside he added the cages and Crookshanks’ carrier to the pile of assorted luggage, trunks, and familiars crates and started to head towards the Great Hall, but he was stopped short by an angry hiss.

“Sorry boy,” Harry said and rushed back to let Crookshanks out. The cat gave Harry a very Hermione-like glare, but did brush up against his legs before trotting down the corridor towards the Gryffindor dormitories.

Right before entering the Great Hall, Harry realized his mistake. However clever he thought he was being by taking cover in the back of the train or waiting to be one of the last to catch a carriage, he obviously hadn’t thought his plan all the way through, for this also meant he was going to be the last to enter for the feast. In fact he had spent so much time with the animals that McGonagall had already taken the new first years in to be sorted. Harry had no choice but to open the expansive wooden doors and step into the Great Hall.

As though they had been directed to, every head in the room turned towards Harry as one. McGonagall stopped, with her hand holding the sorting hat, poised above a nervous looking boy’s head. The silence was overwhelming; even the Slytherins hadn’t made a noise. Harry glanced at the Gryffindor table and saw Hermione biting her lip in worry. Everyone jumped as Professor Dumbledore broke the silence.

“Good to see you, Harry. Please join your housemates,” he said gently with a wave towards the Gryffindor table. The almost-always-present twinkle in his eyes was gone however and he looked much older than he had the last time Harry had seen him. Harry nodded at the Headmaster and willed his feet to move forward until he could sit on the bench in the spot Hermione and Ron had saved for him. It was as if Harry sitting had flipped a switch and as quickly as the silence came, there was a roar of noise as everyone began talking at once. McGonagall cleared her throat loudly and with one of her patented glares, the Great Hall was quiet again.

The sorting progressed as normal, and Dumbledore’s speech was typical if not a bit more dire than usual. Harry barely let the words register. He had spent the summer slowly realizing and accepting what fate expected of him, but he had not thought about how he was supposed to also be a regular student at Hogwarts at the same time. Classes, and quidditch and trips to Hogsmeade were the furthest things from his mind right now, but somehow he was going to have to pretend that they still mattered.

2. The Talk

Disclaimers: Obviously none of this belongs to me.

Thanks to my beta Danielle

*****************************************************************************************************************

Harry made it through the rest of the feast with little excitement. Most of the Gryffindors and members of the DA just said hi to him or gave him a smile. On their way back to the tower, Malfoy tried to start something, but Harry looked him straight in the eye before walking away. Hermione and Ron took Harry’s lead and caught the shocked look on Malfoy’s face as they were leaving.

Once he had unpacked and gotten his bed straight, Harry made his way down to the common room. Most of the first and second years had already retired and everyone else was involved in various activities. Hermione had procured her favorite chair by the fire and seemed to be going over their schedules for the next term. Ron was catching up with Seamus over a game of chess. Harry wandered over to where Hermione sat and dropped onto the hearthrug staring into the fire. She looked over the top of her parchment at him and asked, “How are you?”

Harry shrugged and gave her a small smile. “A bit overwhelmed actually.” He noticed Ron looking their direction and shook his head letting him know that this was not ‘the talk’ and that he could continue his game.

“I never thought about coming back here and just being ‘Harry the student’ you know,” he continued. “I’ve been so focused on what’s going to happen I haven’t taken the time to think about how I’m going to get there.”

“We’ll figure it out, Harry,” Hermione said confidently, no trace of the petrified girl he’d seen on the train. Obviously she’d been doing some thinking of her own. “Ron and you and myself, like we always do. You’re not in this alone.”

Harry smiled his thanks and scooted back so that he could lean against the side of her chair and lose himself in the fire. Hermione returned to her writing and the scratching of her quill was an odd comfort to Harry as he stared into the fire and remembered talking to Sirius here last year.

Harry didn’t realize how much time had passed until a gentle tap on his shoulder broke him from his reverie. He stiffly turned and saw that the common room was dark and quiet, save for the crackling of the fire. Ron was now sitting on one of the couches and Hermione was still in the chair next to him. Harry slowly got to his feet and took a quick glance around the room to ensure they were alone. To make sure that they wouldn’t be overheard, he pulled out his wand and cast a silencing charm on the area around them before sitting on the couch between his two best friends.

Harry took a deep breath and began. “First I want to tell you two how sorry I am for not keeping in touch with you this summer, but I needed to. I had to be by myself. Because of Sirius and because of what I’m going to tell you tonight.” Even if Hermione hadn’t have figured out what Dumbledore had told him, Harry had known that she and Ron would have to know about the prophecy. “But before I tell you, I want to know what happened this summer. I probably don’t have a right to ask, but I think it was something big and I think I need to know.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged looks and Harry knew they had already talked about this, about how much and when to tell him.

Hermione was the first to speak. “You don’t have to apologize Harry. We knew you were going to have a rough summer because of Sirius. We understand. We know there are things that you have to deal with that we can’t comprehend. But you’re right, you do need to know everything that’s happened.” She turned to Ron then and Harry knew that if Hermione was going to let Ron do the talking, this really was big.

Ron ran a hand through his already messy hair and steeled himself for what he had to do. “Well you see, Harry,’ he began shakily, sounding eerily like the younger Ron, before taking a deep breath. His next words spoken were stronger and there was no hesitation. “About four weeks into the summer, there was a Death Eater attack at the Burrow.” He paused and looked over at Harry and wasn’t surprised at what he saw.

Harry had gone ghost white. His mouth hung slightly open and there was a pained expression on his face. He went to speak but nothing came out at first. ‘N-n-no’ he stuttered out. Harry rose to his feet and began to pace in front of the fire, grabbing manically at his head and muttering ‘No’ over and over again.

Hermione jumped up and caught his arm on one of his turns. “Harry! It’s ok, no one was hurt.” This got Harry’s attention and he spun in Ron’s direction. “Everyone’s ok?” he asked desperately

“Yeah mate, no one was home at the time,” Ron answered, throat a bit tight at Harry’s obvious concern for his family, but there was something behind the way he said that which caught Harry’s attention. “The house is gone though, blown to bits. We think it was just a warning. It’s no secret that my family is against Voldemort.”

Harry had sunk back onto the couch, but at hearing Ron say Voldemort’s name, his head shot up.

Ron continued, “No one blames you, Harry. This isn’t your fault or something you could have stopped. My parents have been in the Order since before we were born.” Ron now looked desperately to Hermione, hoping she would step in and help him. This is what they had both been so worried about, that Harry would blame himself and retreat further away from them. That had quite a few rows over the summer concerning when and how to tell him.

Hermione came off her chair and knelt by Harry’s side of the couch. She put a hand on his knee to get his attention.

“You couldn’t have done anything Harry. The Order had no notice at all that anything like this would happen. And Ron’s right, the Weasley’s are known supporters of Dumbledore. They were already targets.”

Harry was silent and no one moved until he spoke. “I know it’s not my fault. And I know there was little I could have done since I was at the Dursley’s. I just wish I had known earlier. But then, I think you were right to wait to tell me. I honestly don’t think I could have dealt with this then.” Harry looked down sadly at his feet thinking of all the things his best friend’s family had lost. “Ron, your Mum must be devastated. Did you lose everything?”

“Not everything. Mum had put some heavy-duty charms on anything worth keeping in case something ever happened. She said it was required with the twins in the house,” he said with a grin. “We moved into Order headquarters after that. Hope you don’t mind, but there was nowhere else to go at the time. Hermione joined us there right after the attack and that’s where we’ve been ever since.” Ron sat back onto the couch, looking resigned and much older than his sixteen years.

Hermione stood up and returned to her seat. Both she and Ron were looking at Harry with questioning looks on their faces. He looked at both of them and reached over to give Hermione’s hand a squeeze. “Anything else?” Harry questioned worriedly. “Any other attacks, sightings, anything else I need to know?”

“Attacks have been on the rise for the past couple of months, nothing major. There have been two deaths,” Hermione stated. “A muggle couple, out for a walk. Their bodies were found the next day with the Dark Mark floating above them. The Order obviously doesn’t tell us much, but from what the twins have been able to overhear, Voldemort is in a holding pattern right now. He seems to be gathering his old supporters and gaining new ones. He’s also working on getting as many of the dark creatures on his side, as well. Charlie’s reported that vampire colonies in Romania have started a migration and it seems they’re headed here. That’s about all we know.” She ended with a tired sigh and peeked at Harry through her bangs.

“So, it’s starting then,” said Harry softly.

Hermione couldn’t bring herself to speak, so she merely nodded.

Harry took off his glasses and drug a weary hand down his face. Replacing the round frames, he looked first at Ron and then at Hermione.

“When we got back from the Department of Mysteries that night, Dumbledore told me everything,” Harry started. “I know what the prophecy said.” Harry paused and waited for their response.

“But how?” Ron asked. “I thought the prophecy had been broken during the fight?”

“It had been,” Harry replied, “But Dumbledore happens do be the person who heard it originally. The prophecy states that only Voldemort or I can live. I have to kill or be killed, there is no way around it. According to the prophecy, the child mentioned could have been myself or Neville, but Voldemort sealed his fate, as well as mine, the night he killed my parents. He marked me and by doing so, made the prophecy about me.”

“Neville? How could it have been Neville?” Ron asked confused and astounded by what he had heard so far. He hadn’t seemed to have processed the part about Harry and Voldemort in the end.

“Neville and I have the same birthday. The prophecy says that the one who can vanquish Voldemort will have been born as the seventh month dies. It goes on to say that Voldemort will mark him as his equal. Until he attacked my parents and gave me this scar, it could have been Neville,” Harry explained.

Ron stood up abruptly and began pacing the same bit of floor Harry had only minutes before. “So……so you’re saying that it’s you or Voldemort. No Dumbledore. No Order. No--” Ron stopped himself there, but Harry had heard the unspoken ‘Us’ as clearly as if it had been shouted. “That it’s just going to come down to you and him!?” Ron’s voice had been steadily rising and Harry was now doubly glad for the silencing charm.

Ron had stopped pacing and now stood with his hands braced on the fireplace mantle, back turned to Harry, waiting for his response.

Harry knew this was going to be the hardest part, them accepting that in the end he had to be alone. He also knew that they wouldn’t leave him until the last possible second.

Harry rose from the couch and spoke carefully. “Yeah. That’s what it means, but it doesn’t mean that I won’t need your help to get there. I will. I do.”

Ron pounded a fist on the mantle and turned swiftly towards Harry. “Bloody hell, Harry! That’s just… that’s just… ” Ron stopped himself and ran both his hands through hair that was now sticking straight up. “I think I’m gonna go up. Think for a while, ya know.”

Harry nodded and stepped aside to let him pass. Ron cast a glance at Hermione before heading for the stairs. “Take care of her, mate,” he said before leaving the two in silence.

For the first time since he had begun explaining the prophecy, Harry looked at Hermione and he was frightened at what he saw.

Hermione was perched on the edge of the chair, pale white and shaking. She looked lost and Harry was confused. She had figured it out on the train, he didn’t think he would have to worry about her reaction. Frankly, he had been relieved when she guessed. But something was terribly wrong and Harry was unsure as to what to do.

In two quick strides he was in front of her chair. Dropping to his knees he raised a hand to her chin turning her head until he could look at her. “Hey,” he said softly. “What’s wrong? I thought you had figured this out?”

“I thought I had too,” she said haltingly. “I knew it would be you and Voldemort, the past five years have made that clear, but I never thought you would have to be alone.” At this, Hermione finally met Harry’s eyes and the tears she had successfully been holding back fell in a rapid flow.

Harry knew there was nothing he could say at that moment, so he pulled her towards him until she slid off the chair in a heap in front of him. Once again he wrapped his arms around her and held her as she wept, for the boy who was gone forever and for the man who would walk alone.

Harry’s legs had fallen asleep by the time Hermione’s tears subsided. She sat up slowly and wiped at her face with her sleeve. “I’m sorry,” she said shyly, “that’s twice today I’ve gotten you all wet.”

“That’s ok,” Harry said with a smile. “I’m told I make a very good tissue.”

Hermione obliged him with a smile and moved her hand up to cup the side of his face. “Oh Harry,” she said sadly. “I’m so sorry you have to do this. It’s just not fair.”

Harry felt a prickling behind his eyes and blinked rapidly to control his emotions. He reached up and covered her hand with his, enveloping it and bringing it back down between them. “You will never know how much that means to me,” he said, so quietly she almost didn’t hear him.

Harry helped her back into the chair and noticed her gasp softly and clutch at her chest for a moment. She caught his eye and shook her head. This wasn’t a place she wanted to go right now. Harry moved once again to stand before the fire, hands in his pockets, looking terribly old. “Hermione,” he said. “I need to ask you something”

“Anything Harry,” she replied.

“What else happened at the Burrow?” he asked.

Hermione’s quick intake a breath let him know that he had been right. Ron hadn’t quite told him everything that happened that day. “Ron should probably be the one to tell you, Harry,” she reasoned.

“Ron’s not here right now though, and I need to know. It was more than just an attack on the Burrow to change him like that. What happened?” This time it was not a request and she recognized the difference in his tone.

“Ron left that afternoon to go visit Luna,” Hermione began. Harry’s eyebrow twitched in confusion at Ron going to see Luna and Hermione quickly clarified it for him. “They’ve been doing a lot of visiting this summer. I know she likes him, and I think he’s starting to like her too, although he might not admit it right now.” Harry nodded and made a mental reminder to ask Ron later about the quirky Ravenclaw.

“Anyways,” Hermione continued “When Ron left the Burrow, Ginny and his mum were in the middle of baking a cake for his dad’s birthday. Mr. Weasley was at the Ministry and the twins were at their store. A couple of hours later, Ron was almost home where he saw the Dark Mark over where the Burrow should have been. He hasn’t talked much about it, but from what I’ve gathered Ron thought Ginny and his mum had been in the house when the Death Eater’s came. They had actually run out of something for the cake and had to go into town where they got held up by an old friend of Mrs. Weasley’s. They just weren’t home yet when Ron arrived, but he didn’t know this. He spent twenty minutes digging through smoking rubble before the twins arrived. They knew something was wrong when they had tried to use the fireplace to talk to Mrs. Weasley and it hadn’t worked.” Hermione took a deep breath and went on, “When the twins found Ron, he was practically unrecognizable. They thought he had been in the blast by the way he looked. Just as they started questioning him, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley arrived. Ron hasn’t been the same since. He grew up in those twenty minutes. I don’t know how to explain it Harry, but you’ve seen him. He’s matured. He’s serious. He thinks before he speaks. In a way, it makes me sad.” The last part she said quietly.

“Why sad?” Harry questioned.

“Because as much as he drove me crazy, you could always depend on Ron for a laugh or an inappropriate comment. I’m sad that that part of him has been taken away. Just like I’m sad that you didn’t get the childhood you deserved, and that you have to face such a terrible task alone.” Hermione looked as if she may cry again, but pulled herself together and gave a startled gasp as she saw Ron standing behind Harry.

“It’s ok, Hermione,” Ron said reassuringly. “I’m glad you told him, I couldn’t bring myself to earlier.”

“Ron!” Harry said surprised. “I thought you were going to think?”

“I did think,” he said. “I thought about what a world class git I was for leaving the two of you down here still dealing with all of this. I’m sorry,” he added sheepishly.

“Well, you’ve come in time for the good part then,” Hermione said with a forced brightness the two boys recognized, but appreciated. She went up to Harry and gave him a peck on the cheek and a tight hug. “We will figure this out. We’ll get you to that battle more prepared than you could ever imagine. We may not be able to fight with you at the end, but we will make sure you get there.” She turned to Ron and gave him the same peck and hug and then whispered quickly in his ear, “I told him about Luna.” Before he knew it, she was gone and up the stairs to the girl’s dormitory.

Ron took a second to register what she’d said before bellowing, “HERMIONE!” Again, Harry was grateful for the silencing charm.

“So you and Luna, huh?” Harry said slyly, as he and Ron made their way towards the stairs.

“Yeah, well the girl grows on you, ya know,” Ron agreed and trudged up the stairs behind him.

3. The Begining

Author’s notes: Again thanks to my beta Danielle

This is a short chapter so expect the next one in a few days.

Thanks for all the reviews!

*****************************************************

The following morning Harry awoke confused. The relief he felt at sharing the prophecy with Ron and Hermione had now been replaced by an overpowering feeling of trepidation. Just because Ron and Hermione couldn’t be in the final battle didn’t mean they still couldn’t be hurt, or worse, in the fray leading up to it. Harry saw a flash in his mind to the night before when Hermione had grabbed her chest in pain.

The fight at the Department of Mysteries was something that Harry tried not to think about, for obvious reasons. But it was more than just Sirius falling through the veil. What haunted Harry the most about that night was seeing Hermione hit by that curse. The moments where he didn’t know if she was dead or alive. The panic he had felt at that moment scared him more than anything. He didn’t think he’d felt anything as deeply before in his life. When Sirius fell and Harry realized what had happened, he was angry and wanted revenge, but he didn’t stop functioning. His own differing reactions were confusing to him. He knew he cared for Hermione, she was one of his best friends, but he asked himself if it had been Ron in Hermione’s place, would he have reacted the same? He knew the answer and that confused him even more.

They had never talked about that night. Harry still didn’t know who had told them about Sirius. And he realized what an awful friend he had been for not asking how they were recovering. From what he could tell, Ron was fine, but he knew that Hermione wasn’t back to full speed and that worried him since it had been almost three months since the attack. He also knew that she would lie and tell him she was fine. Harry sat up in bed and resolved that the first chance he got he would talk to them about that night.

Harry was showered and dressed before Ron was even out of bed. Grabbing his bag and wand, he made his way down to the common room to wait for Ron and Hermione.

He didn’t have to wait long as Hermione was down shortly. “Hi,” he said and tried to give her the best smile he could. “Sleep well?”

Hermione dropped her heavy bag at her feet with a sigh and admitted to Harry, “Not really.”

“Me either,” he confessed. “Thinking?” Harry questioned.

Hermione nodded. “Thinking. And maybe a bit more crying,” she added truthfully.

Harry noticed her eyes looked just as puffy as they did the night before and felt a stab of guilt.

She knew what he was thinking and reached out to grab his hand. “It’s ok. Crying is good sometimes,” she said convincingly enough that he almost believed her.

Right then Ron, followed by the rest of the sixth year boys, came thundering down the stairs. “Ready to go?” he asked. “I’m famished”

Harry laughed at this. “Good to know some things can’t change,” he said as they headed out the portrait hole.

Amidst all of Harry’s thinking the night before, he had also resolved to make this school year as normal as possible. Unfortunately, a summer’s worth of Daily Prophet articles that were now telling the truth and a Ministry that recognized what Harry had been saying all along made for even more interest in Harry’s life by his classmates. The attention was something he had never enjoyed, despite Lockheart’s implications in his second year. But anonymity was not to be had on him the first morning back at Hogwarts.

As the trio made their way to the Great Hall for breakfast, they did little talking. Harry was lost in his thoughts and unknowingly outpaced Ron and Hermione by a couple of steps. Had Harry known what was going on behind him, he would have put a stop to it. While walking down the numerous hallways, more and more members of the DA were joining their march. Groups of students on their way to eat parted to allow the formidable looking group to pass.

The doors to the Great Hall were open and Harry could see it was already bustling with students. Not knowing the entourage he had picked up along the way, Harry was becoming increasingly irritated as he approached the entrance. The closer he got, the more people look towards him. Pausing in the doorway, he turned towards his left to share his frustration with Hermione and realized she wasn’t there. Harry turned a bit more and what he saw almost made him gasp. Behind him were at least twenty members of the D.A. flanked out in what only could be described as a battle formation. Their faces were set and no one was talking. Ron and Hermione also looked somewhat surprised at what they saw. Harry was able to summon his speech and said, “Thanks guys, but I think we’ve got it from here.” He made a point to look at everyone and silently acknowledge what it meant to him.

The D.A. members dispersed to their respective tables leaving the Trio still standing in the doorway. Harry turned back to the staff table and met Dumbledore’s gaze. He gave Harry a small nod. Harry looked down the table and was fairly certain he saw Professor McGonagall dab her eyes with a napkin. He realized then what a sight they had made, it was understandable people had been staring. Harry was sure he had been walking quickly enough to cause his robes billow out behind him, as had the rest of the D.A. There was also something else he was just registering. Everyone, himself, Ron and Hermione included had had their wands out. He hadn’t even realized he had done it. Harry brought a hand to his forehead and sighed. ‘Had it really come to this?’ he thought. ‘Walking the halls of Hogwarts with wands drawn, as if ready for a bloody attack any minute?’ As he lowered his hand, he was startled by both Hermione’s quick grab of his arm and Dumbledore hurriedly rising from his seat.

“Harry! What is it?” Hermione hissed.

“What?” he asked in confusion.

“Your scar? You grabbed it, is it Voldemort?” she asked, worry evident in her voice and on her face.

“Voldemort?” Harry repeated confused, realization coming slowly to him. “No, no, it’s ok. It wasn’t my scar. Sorry to worry you.” Harry looked quickly to the head table and gave a small reassuring wave.

By the end of breakfast, Harry felt as if things were almost back to normal. Ron and Hermione enjoyed their usual banter concerning Ron’s eating habits and Harry looked on, shaking his head sympathetically at Ron. Luna wandered over from the Ravenclaw table just as they were finishing up. Hermione gave Harry a sly smile over her copy of the Daily Prophet and was about to say something when Hedwig suddenly landed on Harry’s shoulder.

“Why hello girl, what have you got there?” Harry asked.

Hedwig dutifully held out her leg and after Harry had relieved her of her message, she hopped over to Hermione’s shoulder to take a small bite of muffin that was waiting for her.

Harry unrolled the parchment and saw it was from Professor Dumbledore.

Harry,

Please come to my office during your free period today. Miss Granger and Mister Weasley will not need to attend at this time.

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. The new password is ‘Skiving Snackboxes’

P.S.S. Drop this parchment as it’s about to burst into flames.

Harry quickly dumped Dumbledore’s note into his goblet of pumpkin juice, noticing Hermione’s head turning sharply as the note caught fire and was immediately doused.

“What on earth was that?” she asked

“Just a note from Dumbledore asking me to come see him,” Harry answered. He paused before continuing, “He, uh…he said for only me to meet him today.” Harry waited nervously for Hermione’s response.

“Well I’m sure he has his reasons. I trust Dumbledore and I trust you. If you can and want to share what the meeting is about, you will. If you can’t, I understand,” Hermione said, as if reading his mind.

Harry let out a breath he didn’t even know he’d been holding. “Thank you for understanding. I don’t want you to think I’m keeping anything, not anymore. I need you.” Harry stopped himself realizing what that sounded like. “And Ron, of course,” he added hurriedly.

“I know you do,” she said with a grin. Hermione put a hand on his shoulder as she stood up and retrieved her bag. “Come on, let’s go before we’re late for class.”

Harry looked over to Ron and had to say his name twice before the redhead pulled his attention away from Luna.

“Yeah mate?” Ron responded.

“Time to go, see ya, Luna,” Harry said and jogged to catch up with Hermione, giving Ron and Luna some privacy.

In July, Harry had received his O.W.L results along with the other fifth years. He had barely given them a glance before tossing the parchment in the bin. Worrying about what grades he had made seemed completely inconsequential to him. He had however, noticed that they were good enough to allow him to take the classes needed to become an Auror. Harry hadn’t asked Ron or Hermione what they had gotten, With Hermione, it really wasn’t necessary and he assumed that since Ron was walking into Professor McGonagall’s classroom with them, he had managed to pull a passing grade in Transfiguration.

Their first class wasn’t all that interesting. Professor McGonagall mostly covered what they would be studying for the year and tried to impose upon them the importance of this year’s work, even if they didn’t have any major exams at the end of the year.

When the class had been dismissed, Harry motioned for Ron and Hermione to go on ahead of him. “I’ll be right there. I just wanted to talk to the Professor about something.”

Hermione gave him a quizzical look, but nodded and left with Ron.

Harry cleared his throat as he approached Professor McGonagall’s desk. “Uh, Professor, do you have a minute?” he asked.

“Yes Potter, what is it?” Professor McGonagall replied.

“I was wondering… at the Department of Mysteries. Professor Dumbledore was able to make the fountain statues follow his command. They were able to pin down Bel…one of the Death Eaters and one jumped in front of me to stop a spell. I was wondering if that would be considered transfiguration or charms?” Harry asked all this very quickly, hoping his question wasn’t stupid and that if it was, McGonagall would take pity on him.

The Professor looked surprised, but quickly recovered. “Well, Potter. I must say I’m quite impressed. Yes, what the Headmaster did with the statues is basically transfiguration. As you can see, there is a bit more to it than just turning mice into teacups.”

Harry was relieved that his idea had been right. Now he just hoped that McGonagall would be willing to go along with what he was proposing. “Would you…do you…do you think you could teach me how to do that? I think that it might be useful. In the future, you know.” Harry didn’t want to come right out and say it, but he was sure she knew what he meant.

Professor McGonagall took off her spectacles and sat down heavily in her chair. Harry was surprised to see how tired she looked all of a sudden. “I think we’ll need to discuss this with the Headmaster, Harry,” she said softly. “Now, you’d best be off. I’ll not be excusing you from your next class.” Her usual brisk tone was back, even if the brogue was a bit thicker.

Harry nodded and smiled his thanks before leaving the classroom, his mind once again wandering to what the meeting with Dumbledore could be about.

4. The Invitation

Disclaimer: None of this is mine, I’m only borrowing.

Thanks to my beta Danielle

A/N: This is a very short chapter and not a lot of H/Hr. It’s coming I promise, just be patient and stick with me. Chapter 5 will be posted sometime mid-week. And thanks for the reviews!!

************************************************

Harry’s free period that day was following lunch. He walked with Ron and Hermione as far as the entrance hall before parting ways with them. As he stood in front of the massive statue that led to Dumbledore’s office, he took a quick look around to ensure there were no wayward students about.

“Skiving Snackboxes,” Harry spoke clearly and the giant revolving staircase began to appear. As Harry stepped on to it, he moved his right hand so that it hovered over his left forearm. Near the end of the summer, he had sent away for a holster for his wand and found himself never without it. ‘Moody would be proud,’ he thought sardonically. He didn’t know if it was his experience at the Department of Mysteries or something else, but he felt a need to have his guard up, especially in places where he wasn’t sure what was waiting for him.

The door to Dumbledore’s office was already open and Harry stepped through, immediately feeling his face flame. The last time he had been in here, he had destroyed the place. He took a quick look around and saw that almost everything seemed to be how it had been, but quite a few of the former headmasters were glaring at him from their portraits.

Harry hung his head for a moment, studying the pattern in the carpet before steeling himself and raising his eye line to Dumbledore.

Behind his massive desk, the headmaster was waiting patiently for Harry’s attention. “Thank you for agreeing to see me Harry. I feel that I don’t quite deserve your company. Would you like to take a seat?” he asked, looking grave.

“Actually Professor, before we get to why you asked me here, I’d like to apologize for what I did to your office,” Harry said, looking a bit sheepish.

“As I told you all those months ago, I do not blame you for being angry. I can only hope that I have not completely lost your trust,” Dumbledore answered.

Harry shifted his feet slightly before moving to sit in the chair opposite Dumbledore. Harry met the headmaster’s eyes directly and was grateful there seemed to be no trace of Voldemort lurking inside of him.

“I was angry sir, but it was mostly at myself. I wish you could have told me about the prophecy sooner, but I recognize that you were trying to protect me and I do appreciate that,” Harry stated and sat back in the chair.

“You really are an exceptional young man, Harry. I just wish you didn’t have to grow up so soon,” said Dumbledore with a look of pride and sadness on his face.

“I didn’t really have a choice, did I sir?” Harry asked honestly

“No, you didn’t,” he said with a sigh before continuing. “Which is why I’ve asked you to come here today,” Dumbledore paused. “I would like to ask that you join the Order. I realize that you are not technically of age, but circumstances being what they are, I don’t see how that matters much.”

Harry sat shocked and motionless. Joining the Order would be an honor and he wouldn’t feel like he was being excluded from the plans against Voldemort. He opened his mouth to respond, but Dumbledore raised a hand to stop him.

“Before you answer, I need you to know why I am asking you and what this will entail.” At Harry’s nod, Dumbledore went on. “You are much too involved in all of this to not be a part of it. Many tragedies could have been avoided if I had recognized this previously. You will also need the assistance of all the Order members to successfully fulfill the prophecy. But you need to know that the Order must be informed of the prophecy and of everything that occurred last year. Secrets and lies are Voldemort’s ways can only lead to our downfall,” Dumbledore finished, looking to Harry for his answer.

“I’ll do it,” Harry said without hesitation. “I’ve already spoken to Professor McGonagall about learning some advanced transfiguration but she sa…”

Harry was cut off by Dumbledore’s chuckling. Since it was one of the last things he expected to hear, he was taken aback.

A bit of the twinkle was back in his eye though. “Exceptional, truly exceptional. Your parents really would be proud of you,” Dumbledore said. “We’ll make it official at the next Order meeting. I will also be setting up a special training schedule for you. I’m afraid your free period will no longer be free.”

“That’s ok, Professor. I think the training will be a much better use of my time,” Harry said.

“You must be wondering why I specifically asked you to not bring Miss Granger and Mister Weasley,” Dumbledore questioned.

“Yes sir, I had,” Harry replied.

“I was unsure as to how your…emotional state would be when you returned to school,” Dumbledore began cautiously. “I knew based on Miss Granger’s persistent questioning of me concerning your well-being that your correspondence with her was, well, lacking.”

Harry suddenly found interest in his hands as the words reminded him of how terrible he’d been the past summer.

“I did not know whether you had chosen to discuss the revelation of the prophecy with your friend. If you have not, I would encourage you to do so. Their assistance, especially Miss Granger’s, will be invaluable to you in what is to come,” Dumbledore said with a strength that surprised Harry.

“I have told them sir, last night. Well actually, Hermione figured it out after one look at me, but yeah, they know,” Harry said and caught the lift in Dumbledore’s eyebrow when he had mentioned how Hermione had known.

“Excellent, I am glad to hear it. In the future, you may feel free to invite them to any meeting you wish, including Order meetings, if they are, of course, willing.”

Harry heard the unspoken invitation and wasn’t sure how he felt about it. He knew Ron would be more than ready to join, especially after what happened at the Burrow. And Hermione would be too of course, out of loyalty to Harry and to protect the existence of good. This was obviously something they would need to talk about.

Dumbledore took a glance at his magical watch and noticed the time. “Well, I daresay I’ve kept you long enough. Your Defense Against the Dark Arts professor won’t appreciate me keeping you from your first lesson of the year.”

“Who is the new Defense teacher, sir? I didn’t see anyone new at the table.” Harry stopped and then gulped audibly. “There isn’t a Ministry appointed teacher, is there?”

Dumbledore smiled at the obvious implication of Harry’s question. “Not to worry. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.”

Harry stood and nodded to the Headmaster before heading back to the revolving staircase. His hand automatically moved towards his wand as he began his descent down.

5. The Test

Harry left Dumbledore’s office a jumble of emotions. He was very glad he was going to finally be a part of the Order however, the chance of Ron and Hermione risking their lives for his fight wasn’t something he’d quite worked out yet.

As he approached the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, Harry was surprised to see his fellow sixth years waiting around outside. Ron and Hermione were coming from the other direction and their expressions of confusion mirrored Harry’s.

“What’s going on?” he asked as he reached the door.

“We don’t know,” answered fellow Gryffindor, Neville Longbottom. “When we got here, it was locked.”

“Did anyone try unlocking the door?” Hermione questioned.

Neville glanced around him somewhat nervously and took in all the shaking heads. “Ummm. No, guess not.”

Hermione expelled a loud sigh and proceeded to pull out her wand. Just as she raised it, Harry suddenly grabbed her arm and pushed it back down.

“Wait. There’s something not right about this,” he said suspiciously, drawing his own wand. The rest of the D.A. members followed suit and watched Harry for what to do next.

Harry approached the door with Ron and Hermione right behind him. He raised his wand and said “Alohamora”, there was a loud click and the door slowly opened.

There were no lights inside the classroom. No drapes had been opened and no candles had been lit. Harry let his eyes adjust for a moment before motioning to Hermione and Ron and stepping into the room.

When he was about halfway into the room, he turned back to see the other member of the D.A had followed them in.

“Spread out,” he whispered and watched as half of them went left with Hermione and half went right with Ron as if it was something they had practiced numerous times.

Harry was just through wondering if there had been a mix up and they were in the wrong room, when he felt more than heard the spell coming his way.

“Protego!” Harry yelled automatically and ran to duck behind the desks to his left. He saw Hermione send the stunning curse in the general direction of his attacker but didn’t hear or see anyone fall.

“Take cover!!” Harry shouted and was glad to see that most everyone already had. There was movement out of the corner of his eye, but it was only Hermione making her way towards him.

She seemed breathless when she reached him, but more from surprise than anything else. “What’s going on?” she hissed.

“I have no idea,” Harry said honestly. He was about to say that it would be impossible for Hogwarts to be under attack when he began to feel the unmistakable presence of a Dementor.

As though it had been rehearsed, at least ten voices all shouted “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” at the same time. The different silver defenders charged the dementor and sent it straight into a rather large trunk. It had been a boggart dementor, Harry realized.

Harry stood straight up and spoke loudly for anyone to hear. “We pass. This test is over. Show yourselves now.”

There was a silence and then several gasps as two people stepped out of the shadows.

Suddenly, there was a loud noise, which startled Harry although he didn’t show it. It was one of the people clapping. The drapes suddenly flew open and for the first time Harry could see their ‘attackers’.

Alastor ‘Mad-Dye’ Moody and Remus Lupin were revealed in the center of the classroom grinning.

“Excellent work, Harry. Really excellent,” said their former defense instructor Remus Lupin “All of you. Very impressive.”

“Nice job Potter. Wasn’t sure at first, but you’ve proved yourself,” added the grizzled Moody.

Harry was so shocked they really weren’t under attack that he didn’t quite process the evident. “Wh…What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Well isn’t it obvious, Potter? We’re your instructors for this year,” Moody said in an annoyed voice.

“Perhaps everyone should take their seats and Professor Moody and I will explain how this year will work,” Lupin interjected.

Harry was proud to see that the D.A members were just now finally lowering their wands as they made their way to the desks.

After everyone had been seated, Lupin and Moody made their way to the front of the room. Lupin looked towards Harry. “Harry? Would you join us up here please?” he asked.

Harry exchanged a confused look with Ron and Hermione before going to stand next to Lupin.

“Welcome to sixth year Defense Against the Dark Arts.” He began, “We are your instructors for the year,” Lupin said, as he made a sweeping gesture, which included Harry.

“What?!” Harry shouted before he could stop himself. “How? You must be mistaken Professor.”

Lupin grinned at Harry before speaking. “No mistake, Harry, I assure you.” Lupin turned back towards the other students. “Due to circumstances this year, of which I’m sure you’re all aware of, it will be necessary to split this year’s teaching amongst the three of us. Harry’s work last year with the defense club has more than qualified him to step in when either Professor Moody or I cannot attend class.” Lupin paused to allow everyone to process what he had just said. “Some days, we will all be here, others only one, and occasionally just Harry. The class this year will heavily emphasize defensive spells and charms and how to best utilize them in combat. Voldemort and his Death Eaters will not hesitate to attack you and your fellow classmates, therefore it is imperative that you are all capable of defending yourselves.”

The students were quiet, but focused. Harry knew they were nervous and scared, but they were also determined.

Professor Moody stepped forward and scanned the room with his magical eye before speaking. “Questions?” he growled.

Hermione’s hand was immediately in the air.

“Granger,” Moody barked.

“Will the D.A still be allowed to meet?” she asked.

“Yes, of course,” answered Lupin. “In fact, we were hoping to ask that it be re-opened. Harry will be helping the other defense classes as well, but everyone in this school will need to be prepared to the best of their ability. Extra defense practice will be key. Of course this time, there will be no need to keep it a secret.” He ended with a chuckle.

Moody motioned that Harry could return to his seat. Ron leaned past Hermione to clap Harry on his shoulder. “Way to go, mate,” he whispered. Harry smiled faintly, but wasn’t so sure he agreed. Between his regular classes, extra training with the Order, quidditch, and now both the D.A. and subbing for Moody and Lupin, he didn’t know when he was going to have time to sleep, much less fight Voldemort.

“The first couple of weeks, we’ll be going over the basics. Including where you’ll be carrying your wand!” Moody said loudly. “After we’ve determined you’ve got all the O.W.L. spells down, we’ll move on to N.E.W.T. level and to combat strategies.”

Lupin stepped forward to continue. “Essays and traditional homework will be few in this class.” He smiled at the evident glee on his pupils faces. “However, proficiency and execution of the spells and effort in class will be what you will be mostly graded on and many of these spells and maneuvers can take hours to learn.” He grinned again as their faces fell.

“Now, books away and wands out,” Lupin called and the room erupted in cheers.

The rest of the class went by quickly. Moody suggested that everyone get some sort of holster for their wands, whether and arm one like Harry’s or one that would sit on their hip. They were able to review most of the spells through third year before it was time to go.

“Review up through fifth year before we meet again,” Lupin called out as the room emptied.

“Harry, may we have a word, please?” Lupin asked.

“Of course, Professor,” Harry replied before turning back to Ron and Hermione.

“I’ve got to go mate, I told Luna I’d meet her after this class. See you at dinner.” Ron said before rushing out the door.

Hermione began to speak when Lupin cut her off. “Actually Hermione, you can stay if you like.”

Hermione quickly glanced to Harry seeking his consent and was glad when he nodded.

“Sorry that we didn’t talk to you beforehand Harry, but I think Professor Dumbledore likes to have a little fun still sometimes,” Lupin explained.

“That’s ok, Professor. Although it would have been nice to have a heads up,” Harry admitted.

“Constant Vigilance, Potter!!!” Moody shouted. “You must always be prepared!”

Harry nodded grimly to Moody and then asked what had been on his mind the last half of the class. “Er…How often do you think you’ll both be gone?”

Lupin gave him a bit of a wolfish grin before answering. “Obviously the days around the full moon, I will not be available, Moody will most likely be here at these times, but if there is Order business to attend to, the class will be yours. We don’t expect you to grade papers or collect homework assignments, just do what you did last year and you’ll be fine.”

Harry let out a relieved sigh and sagged a bit. “You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. How will I know if I need to cover a different class though?” he asked.

“Well, with Hermione’s permission and assistance, I’d like to use the coin that you used last year to call meetings with.” Lupin turned his attention to Hermione. “That truly was a brilliant idea, I haven’t seen anyone that talented with charms since…well since Harry’s mother, Lily, actually. I’ve said it before Hermione, you are the brightest witch of your age.”

Hermione blushed and turned her head to the floor to hide her face for a moment. “Thank you, Professor,” she said, looking up to meet his gaze, “and of course I’ll help you with the coin.”

“I appreciate it. I’d also appreciate it if you, and Ron of course, wouldn’t mind helping Harry during his classes. Especially with the younger students,” Lupin said.

Hermione looked a bit sheepish before saying, “I had already intended to, Professor.”

Lupin laughed at this before facing Harry. “I wouldn’t let this one go if I were you, Harry.”

“I don’t plan on it, sir,” Harry said with a fierceness he wasn’t expecting.

Hermione made a small noise at this and shuffled her feet a bit.

“Yes, well…best be off then,” Lupin said to cover up the awkwardness. “Thank you both for your help. We’ll see you next class.”

Harry and Hermione waved their goodbyes and made their way out of the room.

“So…” Harry began. “You have this period free, right?”

Hermione nodded and waited for him to continue.

“Come on, let’s find someplace quiet and I’ll tell you about my meeting with Dumbledore.”

6. The Questions

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of this, I’m only borrowing

Thanks again to my beta Danielle.

A/N: Thanks to those of you still reading this. J The H/Hr relationship will begin very soon. This chapter is the last of the stepping stones, and chapter 7 will be the payoff. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

*******************************************

Harry and Hermione walked the halls of Hogwarts, both silent and both lost in their own thoughts. Harry had been surprised by what he had said to Lupin. What surprised him more was that he wasn’t embarrassed by what he had said. The realities of this war were becoming more and more apparent to him. Those whom he cared for and who were closest to him would be in even greater danger. If that wasn’t incentive to end this, he didn’t know what was. Harry cast a quick glance at Hermione, but her face was carefully schooled and he couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

Without really realizing it, Harry had led them to the Room of Requirement. He paced in front of the door and thought ‘We need somewhere to talk’ three times. When Harry opened the door he was somewhat shocked by what he saw. The room had transformed itself into a cozier version of the Gryffindor common room. The fireplace was smaller and there was a single couch placed before it. Gryffindor red and gold was the color scheme and there was a tea tray set out on the table in front of the couch.

Hermione stepped into the room and smiled. “Nice Harry, this usually is the best place to talk, isn’t it?”

Harry smiled back at her and went to take a seat on the couch. Hermione joined him, drawing her legs up underneath her as she sat and turned to face him waiting expectantly.

“Before I tell you about the meeting, I want to talk about something else,” Harry said.

“I know you do,” she replied, looking a bit uncomfortable. “I’m fine Harry really, just fi…” but she was cut off by Harry’s almost angry words.

“No you’re not ‘fine’ Hermione. Not even close!” Harry said and then leaned forward some so that his arms rested on his knees and his head hung down. “I want the truth. Why aren’t you better? What happened that night after I left for Dumbledore’s office? Merlin Hermione, I don’t even know who told you about Sirius!”

Hermione made a choked sort of noise and he could hear her begin to speak several times before she actually could. “I’m sorry Harry, I just didn’t want you to have to worry about anything else.” She unfurled her legs and moved right next to him on the edge of the couch. Laying a hand on his back she continued. “I am getting better, truly. It’s just taking some time. No one knows what the curse was that Dolohov hit me with.” She could feel every muscle in his back tense up at the mention of the Death Eater’s name. Letting her hand slide off his back, she began to fiddle nervously with the hem of her skirt. “I mostly took it easy this summer. Coming back to school was more activity than I’ve had in a while. That’s why I had a bit of a relapse last night.”

Harry was silent for several moments before reaching a large hand over to still her frantic movements. As he stared at their hands, he disjointedly wondered when Hermione had become so tiny and then realized that she had probably reached her full height last year while he and Ron seemed to be incapable of stopping their growth.

“So…so Madame Pomfrey thinks everything will be ok, then?” he asked in a small voice.

“Yeah, of course Harry. I just need to get my stamina back, that’s all. And don’t think this means you and Ron are off the hook for homework until I’m all better. I daresay I’ll be able to gather enough energy to nag you to work,” she ended lightly, trying to make Harry feel better.

He squeezed her hands, but didn’t let them go.

Harry knew he had to tell her about what happened when she fell; how much it had affected him.

“You really scared me that night, Hermione. I don’t know if anyone told you, but…” he stopped himself, he wasn’t sure if he could say what came next. “I thought you…I thought you might be dead.” He stopped himself again and went to stand up, but sometime during his talk with Hermione, she had grasped his hand between hers and her grip was surprising in its strength.

Settling himself back down on the couch, he couldn’t bring himself to look at her until he had finished.

“I couldn’t function. I mean, here I was in the middle of the biggest battle of my life and I was frozen. When Neville said you were alive, I can’t describe the relief. I couldn’t lose you Hermione, I can’t lose you. I won’t,” he said emphatically.

“You won’t Harry. I promise you,” Hermione said quickly before taking one of her hands away and laying it on the back of his head, her fingers automatically stroking the thatches of black. She began to speak again, so softly she was almost whispering. “Neville told me Harry, how you reacted. I think it scared him too. He said that…” but Hermione halted and didn’t seem like she was going to continue.

“What? What did Neville say?” Harry asked

“Nothing really, just an observation of his.” She paused before going on. “He said that when…that when Sirius fell through the veil, you didn’t react the same way, that you just got angry and went after Bellatrix. He said that kind of surprised him, especially after he found out Sirius was your godfather. That wh…that’s all he said.”

“Surprised me too after I thought about it,” Harry admitted and finally turned his head to look at her. The compassion he saw on her face was comforting, but there was something else in her eyes that he couldn’t quite place. “I meant it, Hermione. I can’t lose you. Losing Sirius was terrible of course; he was a link to my parents and the closest thing to a father I’d ever had but you…you’re such a part of me. Losing you would be…well there’s really no way to describe it. Voldemort would have won, I know it.”

Hermione’s stroking finally stilled at Harry’s confession. Her hand fell as of its own accord and was now resting against the side of his face. Her eyes swam a bit before she spoke. “Oh Harry. Thank you. That means so much, so much. And I know how you feel. If you weren’t here, in my life anymore I think the hole would be too big to survive.” That look in her eyes was back, but he didn’t have much time to dwell on it before she had pulled him into a fierce hug.

He held her so tight he was afraid he was hurting her, but she didn’t protest. They stayed that way for a long time before Harry finally pulled back, brushing a soft kiss across her forehead as he did.

Hermione blushed a bit before turning her attention to the tea tray in front of her. She was about to ask Harry if he’d like some when they heard the door to the room open. In a blur, they both had their wands out and pointed at the door. The last thing they expected to see was the shocked face of Ron as he saw both of them ready to attack him.

“Merlin! Watch where you point those things!” he said.

Harry and Hermione lowered their wands and smiled faintly at him.

“Sorry mate, wasn’t exactly expecting anyone,” Harry said running a hand through his hair and expelling a relieved sigh.

“How did you know we were here?” Hermione questioned

“Nicked the Marauder’s Map to find you two. Didn’t see you anywhere so I figured I’d check here before I started to get worried,” Ron said trying unsuccessfully to keep the concern out of his voice.

“We’re sorry Ron, I don’t think we realized how long we’ve been in here,” Harry said

“No problem, but I’m starving. Let’s go get dinner before it’s all gone,” Ron stated.

Just as Ron said he was hungry, a meal magically appeared on the table.

“Um, actually would you mind if we ate here? I still need to tell you two about my meeting with Dumbledore,” Harry said hopefully.

“Sure, as long as there’s food,” Ron said with a laugh.

Hermione rolled her eyes at this and turned back to the table, which had now transformed into an actual dining table set for three.

They all sat down to eat and Harry began to tell them about the meeting. He looked up expectantly after he told them how Dumbledore had asked him to join the Order. Ron looked impressed and Hermione looked thoughtful.

“It makes sense Harry. I hope you said yes,” she said.

He nodded and continued on, telling them about extra training and how the Order would need to know about the prophecy. He waited until they were done eating before bringing up the final part of the meeting that he hadn’t mentioned yet.

“There’s one more thing,” he said before rising from the table to go stare into the fire. “Dumbledore has extended the invitation of joining the Order to both of you.”

The silence was overwhelming and then Ron cleared his throat.

“I’m there mate, you know that. In fact there should be little doubt in your mind that either of us would have said no. Why does it seem like you didn’t want to tell us?” Ron asked suspiciously. Harry wouldn’t turn around to face them.

“Because I knew you’d say yes without hesitation and because you shouldn’t have to. This is my fight, not yours.”

Hermione stood up so fast that her chair nearly toppled over. She was by his side before he knew it, spinning him to face her, her eyes blazing before she lit into him.

“YOUR FIGHT!?!” she screeched. “How dare you, Harry Potter! How DARE you! After everything you said to me today, you honestly still think this is your fight? I’m muggle-born Harry, Ron’s family is considered blood-traitors, not to mention the well-known fact that we’re your best friends! Do you really think this war won’t come to us? It will Harry. It already has.” She stood there breathing heavily, magical energy sparking around her.

Harry was speechless, Hermione had never yelled at him like that before. He looked to Ron in desperation who had been watching Hermione’s outburst with surprise. Harry was confused though when the look on Ron’s face turned to comprehension.

Harry knew she was right; he was just scared of losing them.

“You’re right Hermione. I’m sorry, I just don’t want anyone else to get hurt,” he said, head hanging.

Hermione’s demeanor softened immediately.

Ron had now joined them. “I know it’ll be you and Voldemort at the end Harry, but there will be a lot of his followers to knock out along the way. We have as much right to fight for our world as you do.”

“I know you do, that’s why I want you two involved in the extra training. I can’t imagine doing this without you,” Harry said

Hermione stepped closer to him and wrapped an arm around his waist resting her head on his shoulder for a moment before speaking.

“We’ll be there Harry, until the end,” she vowed and reached her free arm over to Ron wrapping it about him as well. “The famous Trio, together through it all.”

She gave both boys a squeeze before releasing them to go grab her bag.

“We’d better go, we need to get a start on our homework,” she said.

“Yes, Hermione,” they chorused in unison as she shooed them out the door.

The walk back to the common room was as relaxed as it could be, with Hermione grilling Ron about Luna. They were almost to the portrait when Harry stopped suddenly. He knew what that look in Hermione’s eyes had been. It was love.

7. The Order

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of this, I’m only borrowing

Thanks to my beta Danielle.

A/N: Well, you’ve been patient. Here it is, they finally get together. Thanks for waiting, and for reading and reviewing.

*************************************************

Harry managed to make his excuses that night and retreat to his room. He knew Hermione didn’t buy it, but she didn’t push it either. He was somewhat dumbfounded by his realization. He knew Hermione cared for him, five years of friendship and everything they had been through was proof of that, but was there more? His own thoughts as of late were also confusing. He couldn’t dwell on what happened at the Department of Mysteries without a knot deep inside him getting tighter and tighter. And what he had told her earlier was true, losing her would be his undoing, but what did that mean? Sighing in frustration, Harry threw himself on his bed wishing more than ever that Sirius was alive so he could talk to him about this.

The rest of the week passed in a blur. He met with Dumbledore again to tell him that Ron and Hermione had accepted his offer and also to discuss the new training schedule. Dumbledore agreed to allow his best friends to join his training, but not all of it. Harry wasn’t sure why they couldn’t attend all of it, but he trusted the headmaster. So far, Moody and Lupin had been to all their classes so Harry hadn’t been needed there yet. Things had been so hectic he hadn’t even had a chance to think about restarting the D.A, but knew that was something he needed to discuss with Hermione as soon as possible.

Their first weekend of the term found fifth years and up arriving in the Great Hall sooner than anyone else. Harry tried unsuccessfully to suppress a yawn and smiled his thanks as Hermione shoved a goblet of pumpkin juice in front of him. He was just reaching for some potatoes when a feather appeared on his plate. Harry quickly grabbed the colorful plumage and dropped it in his lap out of sight. Nudging Hermione to get her attention he gave the feather another look and saw that this was from no ordinary bird, this was a feather from Fawkes.

Hermione grabbed his arm and leaned in to get a closer look. Harry jumped at the quick kick to his leg and looked across the table to Ron. He looked at Harry questioningly until Harry mouthed ‘I’ll tell you later’. Ron nodded and turned his attention back to Luna.

“Harry, look!” Hermione said excitedly, but as softly as she could. Along the edge of the quill were a series of numbers that at first didn’t make an sense. “It’s a date! And time!” she exclaimed. “Today’s date Harry, seven o’clock tonight!”

“It’s an Order meeting and I’m guessing the feather must be a portkey,” Harry said, not feeling as excited as he thought he should be.

They told Ron about the meeting right after breakfast. He blanched for a moment before answering Harry and Hermione’s quizzical looks. “Well, I just don’t see Mum being too thrilled about this, that’s all.”

The rest of the day seemed to drag on as slowly as possible. Harry didn’t much feel like talking and spent the majority of the day finishing all his homework. He was able to talk to Hermione briefly about the D.A before Professor Lupin showed up and asked her to help him charm the coin.

Ron stayed with him until after lunch when he had to go meet Luna, promising Harry he’d be back by quarter to seven.

Around six thirty, Hermione came flying through the portrait hole. “I’m here! I’m here!” she cried, startling some first years as she ran past them. She was going so fast she didn’t stop in time and plowed right into Harry who had jumped up in alarm as soon as she’d yelled. His arms went around her automatically and he took a step back to brace himself.

“Sorry,” she mumbled into his chest and then looked up sheepishly at him. Her eyes narrowed for a second and then she stepped back to adjust her robes. “I’m not late, am I?” she asked anxiously.

“You couldn’t be late if you tried,” Harry said good-naturedly. “I’ve got to get something out of my room. Ron should be here any minute,” he said and dashed off.

He didn’t really need anything. The feather and his invisibility cloak were waiting in his bag downstairs. Harry was more confused than ever; having his arms around Hermione like that had been…nice. He remembered feeling disappointed when she had stepped back from him and she had given him a funny look, too.

Shaking his head he ran both hands through his hair and expelled a loud sigh. Did he like Hermione more than just as his best friend? He didn’t have much to compare it to. He knew Cho had just been an infatuation. This, whatever this was, was deeper. More, it meant more. He just wished he knew what it meant. Harry returned to the common room just as Ron was coming in.

“Told ya I’d be back in time, mate,” he said with a grin.

Harry went over to where he had left his bag and pulled out the cloak and the feather. “I was thinking maybe it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to wear the cloak while we portkey. Dumbledore knows we’re coming, but I don’t even know where we’re going and I know quite a few people won’t even be happy we’re there, much less joining.” Harry finished his speech and saw Ron visibly gulp at the thought of his Mum.

Hermione and Ron both agreed and stepped towards Harry to get under the cloak.

“Ya know, I think we’ve grown a bit since the last time all of us were under here,” Ron quipped as he and Harry were forced to stoop a bit.

“Well not all of us, Ronald,” Hermione said with a smug smile and turned so that her back was up against Harry’s chest, her head reaching to just under his chin. Harry reached an arm around her to hold out the feather. “Hang on tight, it’s a bumpy ride and we don’t want the cloak coming off,” he said.

Hermione and Ron both reached out to grab onto the feather and secured their stances as well as they could. As the familiar tug began, Harry wrapped his free arm around Hermione’s waist and pulled her a bit closer to him.

Landing was a bit of an ordeal as Ron almost ended up on his knees, but righted himself in time. Hermione would have surely fallen to the floor if it hadn’t been for Harry’s hold on her. Once they were steady, Harry pocketed the feather and looked around. He felt a pang as he realized the Order was still using Grimmauld Place as its headquarters. The portkey had deposited them in the kitchen and the only other person there was Dumbledore, who was looking expectantly at his watch. Harry gave a small sigh of relief and then realized something was tugging at his arm. He looked down and saw that his arm was still locked around Hermione.

“You can let go now, Harry,” she whispered shyly.

Harry hastily let his arm drop and then whipped off the cloak, revealing them.

“Good evening, Professor,” Harry said, breaking the silence.

If Dumbledore was surprised to see them suddenly appear from under the cloak, he didn’t show it.

“Good evening Harry, Ms. Granger, Mr. Weasley.” Dumbledore nodded in their direction.

“I’ve had the portkey bring you in here because not everyone in the Order is aware you will be joining tonight.” He shot Ron a significant look before continuing. “Going through with the initiation prior to the meeting may, uh…ruffle some feathers, but once you are members there is nothing that can be done.”

Dumbledore drew his robes back and brought forth a very familiar sword.

“Blimey!” Ron exclaimed. “Isn’t that…?”

“Godric Gryffindor’s sword,” Harry finished for him.

Dumbledore gave them a wink. “An appropriate symbol of the Order, I thought.”

He looked at Ron and Hermione carefully. “I know your loyalty to Harry and the bravery you’ve shown knows no bounds, but you must be sure you are prepared to do this. I am asking you to join because I believe Harry is stronger with you and I believe you will both bring elements to the Order, which will be invaluable. Are you certain you want to do this?”

Hermione stepped forward first and spoke clear and strong. “I am, sir.”

Ron moved to stand next to her. “Without a doubt, Professor,” he stated.

Harry’s heart swelled, knowing what true friends he had and he blinked his eyes quickly to control his emotions.

“Then we shall proceed. Ron, Hermione you will take the vow individually and then the three of you will take it together,” Dumbledore said.

“Sir, why aren’t I taking it by myself as well?” Harry asked confused.

“Because Harry, you are who the Order has vowed to protect, you are the only one who can defeat Voldemort. You are our purpose,” Dumbledore explained.

“Oh,” Harry said, feeling stupid and overwhelmed by this revelation.

Hermione didn’t seem surprised at all. “What do we need to do, sir?”

“Place your hand on the hilt and repeat after me.”

I pledge and swear my life

To the Order of the Phoenix

To the protection of the Light and

To the destruction of evil

Hermione repeated the vow and the sword glowed blue for a brief moment and there was a slight wind in the room. When the light faded Hermione dropped her hand from the sword and swayed before Harry rushed to steady her.

She turned to face him and brought both hands up to trap his face.

“I pledge and swear my life to you, Harry,” she said and then pressed a kiss to his cheek.

“Thank you.” Was all he was able to get out in a whisper before Ron coughed conspicuously and they turned their attention back to the others.

Ron’s vow was the same and Harry was ready if he needed help, but he kept his footing. Like Hermione, he approached Harry when it was over.

“I swear it, brother,” he said and Harry caught a glint of moisture in his eye before Ron grabbed his hand and he was pulled into one of those manly, backslapping hugs.

“Now Harry, if you’d take the sword,” Dumbledore said and passed it to him.

Harry took Gryffindor’s sword and couldn’t help but wonder at how right it seemed in his hand.

Dumbledore motioned to Hermione and Ron and they stepped up to flank him, Hermione on his left Ron on his right. Hermione’s hand slipped under his and was completely enveloped. Ron added his hand to the top of the pile and they all looked at each other before speaking the vow as one.

We pledge and swear our lives

To the Order of the Phoenix

To the protection of the Light and

To the destruction of evil

As they finished, the blue light, which burst from the now upright sword, was so bright and powerful Harry knew it had to have filled the entire house. His suspicions were confirmed when from the corner of his eye, he saw the kitchen begin to fill with Order members, wands drawn. When they realized who was in the room, they lowered their wands and brought arms up to shield their eyes from the light. The slight wind that had come when Ron and Hermione had sworn their allegiance was now strong enough to compete with a hurricane. The light and wind held out a bit longer, Dumbledore and the Trio the only ones seemingly not affected by it before it began to abate.

They were all dizzy from the experience and Hermione’s hand dropped from the sword first so that she could bring it to her head. Harry wrapped his free arm around her waist again and shut his eyes for a moment to regain his balance. And then Harry could have sworn that he heard Dumbledore whisper, “That is the power he knows not.”

The headmaster stepped up to Ron and put a hand on his shoulder for both physical and moral support since the next sound they heard was the roar of Molly Weasley.

“RONALD BILIBUS WEASLEY!! WHAT IN THE NAME OF MERLIN DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!?!”

Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen Mrs. Weasley so infuriated, even with the twins. To Ron’s credit though, he didn’t back down.

“I’ve joined the Order, Mum,” he said as evenly as possible.

“JOINED THE ORDER?!? JOINED THE ORDER?!?” She then rounded on Dumbledore. “HOW COULD YOU?!’ she screamed at him, practically sobbing now.

Dumbledore placed his hands on her shoulders. “It’s done, Molly. It’s done.”

Arthur Weasley came up behind her and began to steer her away. “He has to do this, dear. He hasn’t got a choice.” Ron caught his father’s eye for a moment and knew he understood.

Dumbledore clapped his hands together causing everyone to jump. “Well, we seem to have blown the surprise. So why don’t we all adjourn to the other room and begin the meeting.”

Harry could see from the amount of people that the entire Order was present. The Trio stayed together and tried to look as if they belonged there. Hermione’s hand had found Harry’s as they left the kitchen and he hadn’t thought of a good enough reason to let it go yet. They sat down and waited for Dumbledore to begin.

Just then, Hermione used her free hand to poke him in the side. She was motioning to his other hand, he still had Gryffindor’s sword. Harry immediately made to get up and return the sword to Dumbledore, but the wise man saw him and waved him back down.

“Thank you for coming tonight. As I’m sure you’re all aware, we have three new members of the Order.” Dumbledore raised a hand to hold off any protests. “What I am about to share with you will hopefully explain everything, even if it doesn’t make it any easier,” he said with a sympathetic nod towards Mrs. Weasley.

Dumbledore pulled a small square object out of his robes and with a flick of his wand, a life size memory appeared before them. It was Dumbledore’s memory from the night the prophecy was made. As Trelawney spoke the words that would determine the course of his life, Hermione gripped his hand even tighter. When the Seer was finished, the image snapped away much like a muggle t.v.

The silence that filled the room was palpable. A sniff from Mrs. Weasley broke in and Harry jerked his head towards the noise in time to see an anguished Remus Lupin stagger from the room. Harry didn’t hesitate. He tore from the room still clutching Godric’s sword and found Lupin in the small library across the hall.

“Professor?” Harry hesitantly stepped further into the room seeing him braced against the mantle staring into the fire. “Professor?” he tried again to no avail. “Remus?” This had the desired affect as he finally acknowledged Harry’s presence.

“I’ve failed them,” he choked out. “I’ve failed you. I’m so sorry.” The flickering flames caused the scars on his face to seem more terrible.

Harry went to stand beside him. “You haven’t failed anyone. You couldn’t have stopped this, or prevented it and you can’t end it. This all started before I was born. I think my parents would be glad to know that one of their best friends was still here, able to help me.”

But Lupin didn’t seem to be hearing him. “It should be Sirius here, not me,” he protested.

“But it’s not Sirius, it’s you. And I need your help. I’ll need all the extra Defense training you can give me. And uh…I might need your help with some other things that don’t have to do with the Order or defeating Voldemort,” he ended shyly.

This seemed to catch Lupin’s attention. “If you’re sure, Harry.” Harry nodded and Lupin continued. “So things other than Voldemort, huh?” he asked with a grin. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain young lady I saw you holding hands with would it?”

“It just might,” Harry confirmed and they walked back to the meeting.

What they found when they entered the room was a cacophony of competing voices. He caught bits and pieces of what people were saying and he knew what the chaos was about.

“….too young, what is Dumbledore thinking?”

“He’s going to defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named? He hasn’t even finished school.”

“Potter. Once again the fate of the wizarding world comes down to Potter.”

The last was Snape who Harry could see lurking in the shadows near the door.

No one seemed to have noticed that he and Lupin had returned. Ron’s control had apparently snapped as he and Mrs. Weasley were now toe to toe and Dumbledore was trying to mediate. He looked for Hermione and saw her as she stood on a chair and pointed her wand at her throat. Suddenly her voice was at a deafening level.

“QUIET!!” she screamed.

Everyone fell silent and turned to stare at her. She looked like she did when she had screamed at Harry in the Room of Requirement, but if possible madder. And if Harry wasn’t mistaken, her hair seemed to be floating a bit with the energy she was emitting.

“What right do you have to say these things about him?! Do you know what that boy. No. That MAN has sacrificed? Do you know what the first ten years of his life were like?!? The boy everyone here heralded as ‘destroying’ the Dark Lord, your very own Boy-Who-Lived lived in a damn cupboard under the stairs!!! A CUPBOARD!!!! Blood protection or not, you abandoned him to those terrible people and I assure you they have left scars deeper than the one Voldemort gave him. And now you dare try to say he can’t handle it or he’s too young. Was he too young for the past five years? When he was saving your castle, or your world, or your children? No one ever gave him a choice in this, but he has never questioned it. He doesn’t do it for the attention, he does it because it’s right and now he does it because if he doesn’t, our world is gone. You do realize what that prophecy said, don’t you? Either Voldemort kills Harry or Harry kills Voldemort. Those are the only two options and there is only one that I am willing to accept. So whatever misgivings you have or doubts that may still linger, get over them!! The war has started and that man there is our only chance!” Hermione ended her tirade and her eyes challenged anyone to defy her.

Harry was speechless. No one had ever said anything like that about him before. Lupin gave him a nudge, which broke him out of his stupor.

He strode directly over to where Hermione stood and grabbed her hand to pull her off the chair. She didn’t respond at first and for a moment Harry thought he may have to bodily remove her. But one more tug did the trick and she broke her glare on the room and looked down at Harry. The love pouring out at him almost did him in and he knew he needed to get out of there. He took off for the nearest door with her trailing behind him clutching his hand like a lifeline.

Once they were in the hallway Harry looked for somewhere to go and settled on a dark recess under the stairway. Pulling her around so that her back was against the wall he saw her start to speak and then actually have the where-withal to mutter the counter to the sonorous charm. When she started to speak again Harry did the only thing that made sense and kissed her.

He knew he had taken her by surprise, but it only took her a second and she began kissing him back. Godric Gryffindor’s sword clattered to the floor and Harry sent a silent apology to the founder of his house as his hands found their way into her hair and he pulled her closer.

He finally tore his mouth away when breathing became an issue and leaned his forehead against hers, trying to calm himself down so that he could speak.

“You’re amazing, you know that right?” he managed to get out, voice shaking. “Thank you for loving me,” he said and held his breath until she spoke.

“Thank you for letting me love you,” she said, eyes shining and pulled him back in again. Harry didn’t think it could be possible, but this kiss seemed to be better than the last. Hermione’s fingers had found the hair at the base of his neck and all conscious thought seemed to leave him. It wasn’t until there was something hard hitting him in the shoulder that he pulled away again. Turning in exasperation, Harry was surprised to see Ron standing there grinning like a fool and holding the sword.

“You might not want to be just leaving this around anywhere, mate.” He went to leave and then turned back and draped an arm over each of their shoulders. “Oh, and about bloody time,” he said with a conspiring wink and left.

They were stunned silent and then Hermione laughed. “That’s just scary,” she said.

“What’s scary?” Harry asked worriedly.

“That Ron knew something before we did.”

Harry burst out laughing, as well.

“So, we’re ok?” she asked, biting her lip.

“Never better,” he said with a smile and leaned down to save her lip from being mangled.

They broke apart and headed back to the meeting; Harry wasn’t as afraid about what he would have to do.

8. The Pact

Disclaimer: None of this is mine, I’m only borrowing

A/N: Many thanks to my beta Danielle. And thanks for all the great reviews!

**************************************

The rest of the meeting wasn’t nearly as exciting as the beginning. Various Order members gave reports on the latest activity, but there wasn’t much to tell.

Following the meeting, a few people were brave enough to approach Harry and Hermione. Bill Weasley was the first.

“Just wanted you to know that I asked last year about you joining. Didn’t make much sense to keep you in the dark. Anyways, I’ve always considered you another brother, especially after saving Ginny and what you’ve done for the twins. In fact, you can take Percy’s spot if you like.” Bill then winced as the back of his head was smacked by him mother.

Bill then leaned over to stage whisper to Hermione. “You sure you’re not part Weasley? That display of yours rivaled Mum’s.” and then scurried away before he could get hit again.

“Bill’s right you know, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said. “You are a brother to my children. And I wasn’t just talking when I told Sirius you were as good as my own son. I meant it. The thought of losing any of you is too much to bear. That’s why I’ve reacted as strongly as I have. A mother’s instinct is to protect. But I realize now that nothing in this war will be fair. I don’t like it, but I accept it.” She ended by patting Harry on the cheek.

Harry caught her before she could leave and gave her the kind of hug he thought a son would give his mother. “Thanks, Mum,” he whispered before letting her go.

Mrs. Weasley had done an admirable job up to that point of not crying, but having Harry call her ‘Mum’ drove her over the edge.

“Oh Harry!” she exclaimed and pulled him into one of her famous bone-crushing hugs.

Luckily Mr. Weasley arrived in time and peeled his wife off of Harry. As he led her away, Harry could hear her repeating, “He called me ‘mum’, Oh Arthur he called me ‘mum’.”

He wasn’t sure why he had; it had just felt right. He didn’t know what having a real mum was like, but he figured the way Mrs. Weasley treated him was as close as he would get. He cast a glance towards Hermione and saw she was trying not to cry.

“That was quite possibly the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen,” she said.

“Come on,” Harry said as he wrapped an arm about her shoulders and dropped a kiss on top of her head. “Let’s find Ron and get back.”

Ron had been talking with Tonks and he gave her a wave as he joined them. “Ready to blow this place?” he asked.

Harry led them back into the kitchen. “Dumbledore said the feather will take us back to the common room whenever all three of us are touching it.”

He unfurled the invisibility cloak and covered them with it. All the energy and life in Hermione seemed to vanish as soon as they were out of sight.

“Hey, you ok?” he asked, tipping her chin up so that he could get a better look at her.

“I’m ok, I just need to rest. The screaming hurt my chest a bit,” she admitted and turned so that once again her back was pressed against Harry however, this time she was leaning on him heavily.

Harry exchanged a worried look with Ron over the top of her head and secured her to him like the last time they traveled. Harry held out the feather and they all touched it, sending them back to the common room in seconds.

Their landing this time was a touch more graceful. He looked around the room and noticed all the other sixth year boys were involved in a loud game of Exploding Snap.

“Dorm’s free if you want to talk,” he offered. Ron and Hermione both nodded and they carefully made their way to the stairs, not taking the cloak off until they were to the dormitory door.

The stairs seemed to be Hermione’s undoing as Harry was practically carrying her when they got to the top. Her breathing was ragged.

Harry was almost frantic when they entered the room and did carry her the final few feet to his bed. With Ron’s help, he got her to lay back on the pillows with her feet propped up. She had her eyes shut while trying to control her breathing. Ron shoved a hastily poured glass of water into Harry’s hand, concern etched across his face.

“Should I go get Madame Pomfrey or Professor McGonagall?” Ron asked worriedly.

This was enough for Hermione to open her eyes. “No,” she said with surprising force. “It’ll pass.” And reached out her hand for the water Harry had.

He helped her hold the glass and then pushed some hair out of her face. Hermione grabbed his hand and said, “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it, just rest.” Harry reassured her and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead.

She smiled at both of them before snuggling into the pillows more and shutting her eyes.

Harry put the water on the side table and then walked over to the open window. He pulled his glasses off and let them dangle from his hand as he wiped the other across his face.

He heard Ron come up beside him but didn’t move as he spoke to him. “So how long have you known?” Harry asked

“Probably since first year, but really not until last year when Neville told us what happened.” Ron answered staring out into the dark grounds.

“I didn’t even know. Not really, not until today. Am I mental to be thinking about this now of all times?” Harry said trying to keep his voice down.

“Not mental, you need this, both of you. If all you do is train and fight then what’s it all for? Besides, it might just be a weapon we can use against the slimy bastard,” Ron said.

“Weapon? What are you on about?” Harry asked.

“Just something I’ve been thinking about. Don’t worry, I’ll let you know if anything comes of it,” Ron explained.

Harry accepted this and then decided to take the plunge and ask Ron the biggest favor anyone could ask.

“I need to ask you something that I probably don’t have a right to ask,” Harry began, but Ron cut him off.

“I will, don’t worry about it.” The age and strength in Ron’s voice moved Harry.

“You don’t even know what I’m asking,” Harry protested.

“Yes I do. If we’re in battle and the choice is my life or hers, that’s what you’re asking isn’t it?” Ron said evenly.

“What am I doing? I can’t ask that of you. You’re my best friend, my brother, how can I ask…” but Ron cut him off again.

“Yeah, but she’s…”

“She’s Hermione,” they both finished together.

They stood there silently for a while, contemplating what they had both just done.

Hermione stirred restlessly and their attention was drawn back to her. They each took a side of the bed and watched as she drifted off again.

“I don’t want to move her,” Harry said. “Besides, we’d never get her up those stairs.”

“Let her stay here. No on will know, tomorrow’s Sunday. You take my bed and I’ll get down to the common room with the cloak and crash on the couch. In the morning, we’ll sneak her out,” Ron reasoned and held out his hand for the cloak.

“Thanks mate,” Harry said and tossed it to him.

Just before Ron threw the cloak over himself, he got a look on his face worthy of the twins. “Of course, you don’t NEED to use my bed if you don’t want to.” And then he was gone before Harry could do anything.

Shaking his head, Harry busied himself by covering Hermione with his robe and closing the drapes around the bed.

With a sigh, he climbed into Ron’s bed and drew those drapes as well except for on the side facing Hermione; those he left open. And with a flick of his wand, he opened the drapes on her side of the bed just enough so he could see her face before he took his glasses off and tried to fall asleep.

Harry awoke the next morning to Hedwig sitting on his pillow, gently nibbling his hair. He cast a quick glance to the window and saw the sun was just starting to come up. From the various noises his dorm mates were making, Harry knew there was little chance he would disturb them.

He went down the stairs and had to grin at the sight before him. Ron had apparently moved around in the middle of the night and caused the cloak to slip off of him. All that was visible were two stocking feet dangling off the edge of the couch.

Harry picked up a throw pillow from a nearby chair and lobbed it at the middle of the couch.

Ron fought with the cloak as he emerged in bits and pieces, sputtering the entire time. “Wherzit..huh…wh…bloody hell, Harry! Was that really necessary?” he said, finally completely revealed.

Harry was too busy laughing to answer him and wasn’t expecting to have the pillow thrown back in his face.

“Hey! What was that for?” Harry said indignantly.

“What do you think, you great prat?” Ron replied, but Harry knew he wasn’t really mad.

“I need the cloak. We’ve got to get Hermione back to her room,” Harry said.

Ron balled up the cloak and tossed it at him. “Here, do you think you can handle it? I’d like to get some more sleep.”

“Sure, I got it.” After what Ron had done for him yesterday and then promised him last night, Harry couldn’t begrudge him a few more hours of sleep.

Harry slipped back up the stairs and climbed onto his own bed, making sure the drapes were completely closed.

Hermione was in the same place she had been in when he’d gone to bed last night and Harry was glad to see she looked rested. She had amazed him at the meeting, the way she had spoken up for him and pledged to fight by his side. There was nothing he wouldn’t do for her and he thought that had to be very dangerous for Voldemort. He now had something else to fight for.

Harry reached out to gently brush her cheek and leaned in to whisper in her ear. “Hermione, it’s time to wake up. Hermione…come on.”

She awoke with a start and Harry quickly moved so that she could see his face.

“It’s ok, it’s only me.”

“Oh Harry. You scared me.” She took a moment and then glanced around. “Wh…where am I?” she asked with a tilt of one eyebrow.

Harry turned a bit pink and ran a hand over the back of his neck before answering. “You’re uh…you’re in my bed.”

“IN YOUR BED!!” she shrieked before Harry could get a hand over her mouth.

“Shhh!!! You’ll wake everyone up!” At her nod, he took his hand away and began to explain. “No one knows you’re here except Ron. And before you ask, I slept in his bed last night. He’s still down on the couch.” He paused before looking at her with concern. “What do you remember about last night?”

She seemed calmer after Harry’s answers and her face was tight with concentration as she tried to recall. “Well, I remember starting to not feel well when Professor Dumbledore was being briefed and I remember using the portkey to come back here, but after that everything is fuzzy. I know you and Ron talked to me, but I don’t know about what.” She trailed off and looked to him to fill in the blanks.

“Are you sure you don’t need to see Madame Pomfrey?”

“I told you, it’s just going to take some time. And I’ll have to try not to scream so much,” she added with a smile.

“Once we got you up here, I didn’t want to move you and I knew we couldn’t get up to your dorm. So we figured we’d let you sleep and then you could use the cloak to get back to your room before anyone woke up. It was Ron’s idea actually,” he explained.

“Ron’s idea, huh? I should be more concerned,” Hermione said. “So I guess I should be getting back, if Lavender so much as suspects a hint of impropriety, I’m done for.”

Harry brought the cloak out and began to wrap it around her when he was stopped by her fingers on his lips.

“Thank you for taking care of me,” she whispered, leaning closer to him.

“Always,” he replied and was silenced by her mouth replacing her fingers. The kiss was sweet and quiet and was over far too soon as far as Harry was concerned.

Hermione pulled the cloak completely over her and was gone before Harry had recovered.

9. The Turning Tide

Disclaimer: None of this belongs to me, I’m just borrowing

A/N: Thanks again to my beta Danielle

Harry’s first training session with Dumbledore was more than he could ever have imagined. He learned, through the headmaster’s pensive of Tom Riddle’s past, of how he came to be an orphan and how he came to be at Hogwarts. Some of what he had learned he didn’t want to dwell on.

His head was swimming when he returned to the common room. He was hoping to go over everything with Hermione, but she was nowhere to be found.

Ron was at a table in the far corner of the room and it appeared he was actually studying. As Harry got closer to him, he wasn’t surprised by what he saw. The table was littered with stacks of parchment covered with marks and lines and symbols, maps of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade and other surrounding locales, and books ranging from ‘Defensive Strategies for Magical Battles’ to ‘The Official Aurors Guide to Strategy and Planning’

Harry picked up the latter book, but Ron didn’t even notice he was there. “I hope you didn’t nick this. Moody’s liable to turn you into something worse than a ferret.”

Ron jumped and raised his head to glare at Harry. “Blimey, Harry! You should have a bell around your neck,” Ron said and grabbed the book back. “And I’ll have you know Moody’s letting me borrow this.”

The past two weeks in Defense Against the Dark Arts had been hectic. After finishing their review, they had moved straight into N.E.W.T level spells and battle strategy. Ron’s aptitude in chess gave him a clear advantage on the subject and he obviously enjoyed it. Not only was he completing the homework on time without prodding from Hermione, he was also reading ahead and doing extra research on his own.

They had all been focusing on their work more. Seeing how their lessons would aid in the battle was incentive for doing well. Harry’s new relationship with Hermione wasn’t all that different from the old one. ‘Except for the snogging of course’ he thought with a grin.

Hermione had thrown herself into studying with a fervor she had never shown before. She rushed off to the library before classes, after classes, during every free period and often well into the night. Harry could only recall one night in the last week that she had spent in the common room with them and that was because she had fallen asleep. Shaking himself out of his reverie, he turned his attention back to Ron.

“So, Hermione in the library again?” he asked.

“Yeah, she never came back after dinner. Must have went straight there,” Ron answered before turning back to his papers.

“Well, I’m going to go see if I can track her down. I had my first training session with Dumbledore and I wanted to tell you both together.”

“Yeah, sure mate. Sounds good,” Ron said, absently waving his hand in Harry’s general direction.

Harry pulled the invisibility cloak around him and left the common room, still shaking his head over this new Ron.

The halls were silent, but Harry still felt more at ease under cover. He slid in the door to the library quickly as someone was leaving. Harry took an all too familiar path to the back, far corner near the restricted section and was rewarded for his effort.

There, at the largest table Madame Pince had, the one usually reserved for those doing group projects, sat Hermione. Her hair must have been bothering her as she’d pulled it back at some point during her studies and secured it with some extra quills, which made it seem as if she had some odd sort of head dress on. Books were stacked so high and in so many piles that Harry wondered how she’d had enough time to pull them all, much less read them. He was however, relieved to see that although she looked tired, she didn’t look sick. Her relapse after the Order meeting scared him more than he cared to admit, but she had been getting better since then.

Harry took a surreptitious look around and stowed the cloak before making himself known.

“Hey,” he whispered as he approached the table.

She jumped unexpectedly. “Harry!”

“Sorry, you were concentrating so hard…” he trailed off looking apologetic. Sitting at the table, he leaned in hoping she’d forgive him with a kiss.

“You’re rotten,” she declared, but relented and brushed her lips against his.

“So, any luck?” he asked, even though she had yet to really tell him what she was looking for.

At this, Hermione dropped the quill she had been writing with and rubbed both hands over her face. “Maybe. I feel like I’m on to something, I just don’t know what it is yet.”

“Well I know you’ll figure it out. There’s nothing the great, talented, beautiful, and incredibly brilliant Hermione Granger doesn’t succeed at.”

Hermione swatted his arm but she was grinning. “I wish I had half your confidence. There’s a piece of this puzzle missing. I just need to keep looking.”

“You know, I could help you if you’d just tell me what it is you’re doing,” he said, trying not so subtly to fish for information.

“You’ve got enough to be going on about right now. Speaking of which, how was your training with Dumbledore?” she asked, ending his quest for information.

“That’s why I’m here actually. I came to get you so I can tell you and Ron about it. And I think it’s time you called it a night anyways,” he said seriously. “I don’t want you getting sick again.”

“You’re sweet,” she said softly and gave him another kiss before standing up and muttering a spell Harry didn’t quite catch. In a flash all the books disappeared. Another wave of her wand and the rest of her belongings were packed neatly in her bag.

Harry chose to forego the cloak on the way back to the common room. Small moments like these, where he got to walk the halls of Hogwarts, hand intertwined with Hermione’s, were going to become rarer and he wanted to enjoy them while he could.

Ron was in the exact same place he had been when Harry had left, but this time he looked up as they came in and began to pack up his things.

The common room had emptied out, again leaving just the trio to gather in front of the dying fire.

Ron and Hermione sat on the couch and looked to Harry expectantly. He pulled the armchair over so it was facing them and told them everything he knew.

They sat and listened silently, Hermione looked as if she may interrupt a time or two but kept herself in check. When he was done, he sat back and waited for their responses.

Harry could see Hermione’s brain working and he knew she was already thinking of things he hadn’t.

Ron suddenly broke the silence. “Merlin Harry, did you know before that you and Voldemort had such a similar past?”

Harry and Hermione both turned to Ron, mouths agape. Hermione began to speak, but was too flabbergasted at first. “That’s…that’s what I was about to say. Well done, Ron,” she added approvingly.

Ron smiled. “I’m not completely daft, you know.”

“So do you think that’s important then? That we’re so…similar?” Harry choked out the last word, loathing admitting such a connection.

Hermione’s small hands made their way into his field of vision and clasped them with his.

“You are not him, Harry. And knowing what you’ve learned today just proves that more,” she said softly.

“How can you say that?” he asked dejectedly. He hadn’t wanted to share this information with them; he couldn’t even bring himself to think about it. He was beginning the slow slide to wallowing when Hermione pulled him out.

“I can say that because it’s true,” she responded strongly. “Harry, your similar pasts show how truly different you are. Some could say that by growing up in an orphanage, Voldemort had a better childhood than you did. I’m sure he at the very least received regular meals and had a bed to sleep in.” Hermione more than less spat the last words out, her despise of the Dursley’s showing through. “But you, growing up the way you did, and having every right to be jaded and hateful. You’re not though; it’s part of who you are. That’s not something you can learn or something that can be conditioned, it’s part of your being.”

“She’s right, mate,” Ron picked up. “You didn’t know anything about the wizarding world our first day here, but you knew enough to not align yourself with Malfoy, and enough to tell the sorting hat to not put you in Slytherin.”

Hermione flashed Ron a grateful smile. “Don’t you see? You two are polar opposites. Night and Day. Black and White. Good and …” Hermione stopped herself and their eyes all met in an instant of understanding.

“…evil,” Harry finished for her.

Hermione launched from the couch, too excited to stay seated. She was fairly flying around the common room now. “Why haven’t I seen it before! Where does the ‘good’ come from? Where does the ‘evil’ come from? Voldemort was born this way. It’s who he is and he’s found a way to tap into it, to capitalize on the pure evil that’s in him.” She spun quickly to find Harry, grabbing his arms as she finished her realization. “But one can’t exist without the other Harry! If there’s power from the evil there must be power from the good! And you have the good! And good always wins!!” Hermione’s face was flushed with her excitement, her eyes were shining and he didn’t think he’d ever seen her have a bigger grin or look more beautiful.

Harry crushed her to him, feeling his lips bruise from the force of their kiss. He buried his face in her neck and whispered, “I can really win.”

They broke apart, still grinning and looked to Ron who was dumbstruck. Shaking his head he rose from the couch and approached them, his smile getting wider the closer he got.

Hermione let out an ‘Eeep!’ as Ron suddenly grabbed her up by the waist and raised her high into the air before grabbing her in a bear hug and spinning her around. “You’re a bloody genius ‘Mione!” he said, smacking a kiss on her cheek and setting her down. He reached over and clapped Harry on the back. “No worries, right? All we have to do now is figure out how to access the power of pure good. Should be a snap.”