Harry Potter and the Fullmetal Alchemist by The Dark Aeon Rating: PG13 Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure Relationships: Harry & Hermione Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6 Published: 14/09/2005 Last Updated: 23/04/2008 Status: In Progress I'm back... (happy dance) anyways this is the same story with a few minor changes... I think that it will work out a lot better this way... and just go with what is happening. enjoy: After Dumbledore's death, harry broke down. He needed someone to talk to and wtih Ron and Hermione going out, it was hard enough. Now, he needed Sirius and was willing to sacrifice everything to get him back. 1. Chapter 1 ------------ Nine months. Nine months had past, and Harry had learned all he could about alchemy. After the first horacrux was destroyed using it, he decided that it was better to master this hard technique. Now, though, his attention was diverted from the horacruxes. He needed something else. He learned all he needed to know to bring back his godfather. It was illegal, it was dangerous and it had never been done. But Harry was going to do it. He knew the transmutation circles like the back of his hand. He had practiced with less complicated circles and each time had been perfect. The transformations were perfect; he had changed lead to oil, a process that was extremely hard to do, as the base elements were similar, but he had come up with more oil than expected, and possibly more energy than he wanted, which was the reason why the oil was lit afire and the room nearly burnt down. Still he was closer. His friends were worried about him, but Harry was doing fine. He had spent too many sleepless hours worrying about the procedure. He had spent a week locked in a room filled with books and the elements he needed. While transfiguration could get him what he needed, he needed pure elements and sometimes, that wasn't the way for them. So he ordered as much as his room could handle. McGonagall gave Harry his own room, and while it was meant for research and studying options, he usually fell asleep working on one of his books. Despite his obsession, he didn't allow his grades to slip, which Hermione balked at when he snapped at her. He had priorities right now, even if his friends couldn't see it. They said they were with him, but they weren't. They would never be if they could accept that this is what he needed to do. And somewhere in his mind, Harry hope that this was the `power he knew not.' Alchemy had the possibility of great things, greater than magic itself. Heck, it even destroyed a horacrux, the epitome of evil. It was ancient and powerful, but magic was easier so alchemy fell out of practice. There weren't many teachers left so Harry taught himself. Eight months were a short time, but when you didn't have anything else, someone else, you did what you had to keep time from crawling and your mind from dying. Ron had asked Hermione out over the summer, she said yes, of course, being the nice person she was. It seemed the right thing to do. Especially after their episodes during their sixth year. Harry had a hard time understanding it, since he failed at his own romance. Ginny held no interest in his mind. He couldn't put her in any more danger than she was already, so breaking up seemed like the right step. Sadly, his friends failed to inform Harry and when he found them snogging in a cabin car the first day of school, something snapped within him. He then knew that he needed to do this… he needed to talk to Sirius. He needed to be loved. The night after that… Harry remembered clear as the prophecy that haunted him… *“Harry, please,” Hermione begged. He had already locked himself in his room, and didn't plan on leaving. Merlin, he didn't plan on talking to anyone, either. “You have to talk to us.”* *“No I don't,” Harry shouted back. He knew she was in tears, and he could hear Ron trying to comfort her. “Just like you don't have to talk to me about things either.”* *“Please harry, talk to us.” Ron's voice wasn't anger or upset. It was just Ron's.* *“No, you said you were going to help me and then you went off and did your own thing. I don't need or want you guys any more.” Something exploded at his words, whether from his anger or sadness. Someone whispered reparo and it was fixed, but the pain remained.* *Hermione sobbed louder, yet Harry didn't care in his anger. He was their friend; he knew he should be happy. But he couldn't bring himself to be. They were his friends. “Bloody hell, mate, what's gotten into you?” Ron shouted through the door. Sighing, and falling against the door, he closed his eyes and tried to hold back his tears. Sirius was gone and now his friends were gone, off somewhere snogging, no longer caring about him.* Harry sat up from his desk, and smiled at the transmutation circle he created. It was on the paper, and was widely complex, but it would work. With it, he could create a human. The only hard part was the soul, but Harry had thought of a way to work with that. He could try to summon Sirius' soul. It was a long shot, but a soul was impossible to create. No one knew what made exist. Besides, Harry didn't want to duplicate it: he wanted Sirius back. That was the first law of Alchemy: the Law of Equivalent Exchange, to obtain something of equal value must be lost. To Harry, that was all that mattered. Hedwig, his only friend and owl, came flying in, landing on his shoulder. She had been with him throughout the year, listening to him ramble on. She made sure he ate; yet, she pecked at him to get sleep sometimes. Hedwig was his sister, despite being an owl. He loved her with all his heart. “Hey there,” he said, petting his owl. She pecked at his straggly beard, grown through weeks of uncaring. Harry showered, but he didn't care much about his appearance, especially since he hadn't seen anyone in the past month. He was supposed to be going to class, but McGonagall said his private studies were more important things. That was the last time he had seen Hermione or Ron. She looked like she was going to burst into tears when he just walked out. But right now, it didn't matter. He was so close that he could taste it. Around the room stood many figurines and other creations that Harry had made. A mannequin with soft skin stood in the corner. It was life-like, and even Professor McGonagall said she was impressed. It wasn't human and couldn't harbor a human soul, but it was the closest thing to it. Right now, it wore battle armor, another creation of Harry's. Runes were craved into it to give it the hardness of a dragon's skin. Swords, staffs, axes and many other weapons were around him, hanging on their stands. Harry also made many plants, working with a life-filled being was hard, but it just brought him closer. Hedwig pecked at Harry. “What?” she looked over at the plants. “Fine, in a moment.” Harry turned back to his book and began to read again. It was close. “Okay, I'll do it now,” he replied, when she pecked at him again. He stood up and grabbed a piece of chalk. He bent down and began to draw circles and triangles upon the floor. It was one of the many he now had memorized. Hermione would be proud at his skills. Occulemency had opened his mind up, allowing him to reach higher peaks of intelligence. He had a few thousand different circles in his mind, along with the data from twenty thousand books. It was wonderful to be able to memorize his books. “Okay, ready?” Hedwig nodded. Harry slammed his palms together, and then brought them to the edge of the outermost circle. Water shot up into the air, appearing from almost nothing, and then proceed to water each plant with the right amount of liquid. “Perfect every time.” He smiled as his owl nuzzled in his long black hair. “It won't be long, a few more days. I need to order all the elements that we need.” Harry looked outside. The snow was thick upon the ground and winter's air hung high about them. It was past Christmas and well into late January. He was surprised to still see snow, but in truth, he didn't care. He hadn't flown in over six months, just dropping out of the Quidditch team one afternoon. He was so close to achieving what people thought was impossible so something as simple as flying didn't matter any more. A few more days and then he would have his Godfather back. Author's Note: I am not stopping my other story, but rather I have watched the show Fullmetal Alchemist. So I've decided to write a story on it. Harry Potter and the Fullmetal Alchemist isn't mine, but the plot is…. Enjoy. --> 2. Chapter Two: Those who Reach for the Sun ------------------------------------------- Chapter 2: Those who Reach for the Sun Authors' Note: Most people know who Al is in this story… it's a decent substitiute, I think. Plus I'm waiting for the next four episodes… Note: I have a date for my homecoming… hell yah…. I rock… happy dance… Enjoy * * * * * * Harry woke up at his desk again; three different books open around him. Fixing his glasses, he looked around; trying to find what was going on. Hedwig was asleep, finally after deciding that she couldn't get Harry to sleep she might as well get some. He still needed to create the circle, and that was going to take a while, maybe a day or two. But Harry knew he could do it. It wasn't impossible. There was a knock at the door, and Harry stood up, nearly tripping over the piles of books he had. The room he was given was small, in hopes that he would come back to his Gryffindor dorm, but Harry couldn't, he needed to be free to do what he needed to do. He stretched and walked slowly, over to the door. He was tired, having slept little in the past few weeks, the dreams of Sirius and the Black Veil kept him awake. The dreams of McGonagall subsided a bit, but they were still there. That day seeing Ron and Hermione together was his current nightmare, one that refused to relent. “Yeah?” Harry asked, and saw Hermione standing in her robe holding a book. She was holding a book tight against her chest, and had a look of surprise. He rubbed the back of his head and used his other arm to lean against the door frame “hi.” He couldn't look at her. It just hurt too much to know that she was willing to make a choice and did. “I-I-I-” Hermione stammered. *Miss-know-it-all was without something to say, it was a first*. He shook his head; he wasn't this cruel normally, why was he now. *Because they left me alone*. “It helps if you pause before thinking,” Harry said, and Hermione blushed. It was something she said to him a long time ago. Now, it seemed like it was from a dream. “I didn't expect you to answer.” Hermione looked down. “You usually don't.” “I usually don't hear anything either.” Harry wanted to look into her eyes again, but when she looked back up, he turned away. There was along period of silence between them, and it was Hermione who broke it. “Why?” she asked. It was the question that must have been plaguing her for a while. She couldn't look at him either, afraid of his answer and his eyes. “Because I'm alone.” He replied after a while. Hermione started to reply. “And don't tell me I'm not. You and Ron are by yourself now, and I don't care if you tried, that didn't change the fact that you are. Everyone thinks I'm crazy and has been avoiding me. And while I may have Hedwig, it gets lonely without someone to finish the conversation.” “We didn't leave you alone.” Hermione looked down, ashamed. “We offered to help with the horacruxes and you refused us, even banishing us from Snuffles' House. We offered to bring you along when we went to Hogsmeade and-” “Yeah, as a third wheel?” Harry's voice began to rise. “Hell, Ron threatened me to stay away from you not hours before hand.” This revelation was shocked her more than his outburst. “And you are clearly happier around him then you were ever around me.” Hermione seemed taken aback at his words. She wasn't used to this kind of Harry, so direct and mean to her. “Don't lie to me Hermione. You may have offered but you never meant it. I saw it in Ron's eyes and even in yours. I'm not important to your world anymore. Merlin, I don't even know if I ever was. And you know what? That's fine by me. I'll defeat him byself like it was meant to be” Harry slammed the door shut, unwilling to allow her to see the tears that were in his eyes. He had steeled himself against everything, but that was when it was behind him. It hurt to hear himself talk like that, allowing his anger to get the best of him. Sad as it was, he knew all the words he spoke were true. He never knew where he stood with one Hermione Granger. Hedwig had awaked during his rant and flew over to him. She nuzzled in his hair again, offering her apology. “Not your fault.” Harry looked at his friend and petted her feathers softly. Her eyes said differently, as if, *I know, brother, but still…* Harry laughed, but didn't smile when he heard Hermione's feet running away. He was thankful as it was carrying away her crying too. Hermione crying broke his heart every time. Hedwig looked at him as if to say, *you shouldn't have been so cruel.* “Well, I couldn't not tell her how I feel.” She nodded and rested against her friend and master. She had seen how the relationship of Ron and Hermione tore at him. Harry was more of a brother than anything, and if she was human and could speak, she would have told him. Hedwig was intelligent enough to know that Harry wasn't her type if he had been an owl, or her a human. But that didn't mean she didn't feel anything for him at all. She would protect her brother with her life. He needed this more so than his friendship with Hermione right now. Ron had turned into a prat and she pecked at him whenever she got close to the boy. He probably didn't mean to rub the relationship in Harry's face, but he did. That only added to Harry's pain. Hermione confused her. She knew that the girl was hurt by Harry's withdrawal, yet she did nothing for the boy. “Well, since we're both up, why don't I go for a run and you go get some food so we're ready for the day.” Hedwig sighed if a bird could, but relented. Harry needed his runs whenever he got caught up in everything. It was one of his few moments when the peace that he had before his fifth year came back. Three days passed quickly, and Harry hadn't heard or seen Hermione in that time. But he was finished. The transmutation circle he needed was completed on the papers, and he triple checked everything. His materials came in and he had them off to side as he prepared the room. Slowly, Harry conjured shelves for all his books and notes, placing everything off to the side. He needed plenty of room, so he quickly cleared off most of the floor. Standing up, he admired his work. The room was perfectly clean, including his desk that was always filled with his notes and drawings. Smiling at Hedwig, he began to draw his transmutation circle that he needed. After three hours of work, Harry finished. It was perfect. There were no flaws, the circles were consistent, the triangles and lines straight. There was nothing wrong with his drawing; this meant it was time for his elements. “Water, 35 liters; carbon, 20 kilograms; ammonia, 4 liters; lime, 1.5 kilograms,” Harry read out loud, looking at a tub which held all of what he needed. “Phosphorous, 800 grams; salt, 250 grams, saltpeter, 100, sulfur 80; fluorine 7.5, iron 5, silicon 3, and trace amounts of fifteen other elements.” He pulled out the knife that Sirius had given him so long ago. “Blood of my blood. You are family, Sirius and I gladly offer my own.” Hedwig hooted. “You want to too?” she nodded. Clearly, she wanted to be part of this. After all, she was family. And they needed blood of family to do this. It was more of a summoning spell more than anything. “Okay, come here.” He sliced a small cut on her talon and a drop of blood landed in the tub with the rest of elements. Harry cut his palm and allowed the blood to drop within the tub too. “Ready?” Hedwig nodded and landed next to Harry, her talons right on the edge of the transmutation circle. Harry slammed his palms together then threw them down upon the circle. Everything was going according to plan. The light erupted from the circle around them, focusing in upon the elements. He followed the law rightfully; he left nothing out. But something was wrong. From blue to purple in a matter of seconds, Harry knew… this was why human alchemy was forbidden. Black tentacles reached out from nowhere, grabbing Hedwig. Harry reached for his friend, but was too late. He dove, but a black tentacle held onto his left leg. “Hedwig!! No!!!” he held out his hand, hoping to reach for his friend. He couldn't lose her too. Watching in horror as a door closed around Hedwig he heard nothing but her hooting echoing in his ears. No…. please Merlin no….. Through sheer will alone, Harry survived. His leg was gone, as was his best friend since he had known the wizarding world. Looking up, he saw two red eyes looking at him. “Sirius?” It didn't work, for as the smoke cleared, he saw a mangled and dying body of something that wasn't human. The thing before him moaned its pain, and Harry felt sick. He vomited and coughed as he turned away. The creation was a failure. It didn't work, Harry slammed his hand unto the ground; it didn't work at all. All that effort for nothing. Sirius was gone for good. Holding back the tears, he had to bring back his only friend. With one last ditch effort, he drew another circle. He needed his sister back. Even if it cost him his life. Hermione was in the infirmary, working on her private studies. She planned on being a healer, since death was going to be around so much during the war, someone needed to stop it. After watching Harry get hurt so much and feeling helpless, she couldn't stand by and do nothing. So here she was, working on her private studies. A first year had come in with a stomachache and Hermione was talking with the child now, trying to calm her down. Apparently, she thought that Madame Pomfrey was scary, so she was frightened to even come to the infirmary. “Don't worry,” Hermione said, petting the girl's soft hair. “There's nothing to be afraid of here.” The doors were kicked open, and standing there, holding a boy whose right arm and left leg were gone, was a woman in full armor. The little girl Hermione was caring for screamed. The woman's white hair fell behind her head, almost like a crown of feathers. She was beautiful. Blood was dripping on to the floor. “Please, help him, he's all I've got.” Hermione looked at the girl and noticed something, the eyes. They were Hedwig's. That was impossible. There was no way she could be human. Never in the history of magic had it ever happen, but that didn't prevent people from trying. The woman was crying…. “He tried so hard and then failed.” Madame Pomfrey came out of her office. “What in Merlin's name-” she never finished for seeing Harry's body bleeding to death was enough to stop anyone in their tracks. “Help him, I'm begging you,” the woman repeated herself. She was clearly distraught at the thought of Harry dying. Hermione was too. “For Merlin's sake, help him.” She was breaking down in tears and sobs, begging to save Harry. Hermione knew that she would too if she was in the same position. “Right this way,” She pointed to the bed. The woman brought Harry over. Hermione watched in horror Madame Pomfrey quickly worked on Harry. He had lost much blood and had three IV's dripping into him. He was paler than she had ever seen him, and his black hair and beard only made it worse. He had lost his entire right arm and left leg. The nurse said there was nothing left to grow from, other than the nerves that were once connected to them. Looking over at the woman who had brought him, she was sure that it was Hedwig, despite not being an owl. The eyes were a gateway to the soul, and those eyes were the same yellow ones that Hedwig held attentive Harry for the past six years. Yet, her doubt didn't allow her to accept that. Magic said it was impossible to make a animal human. “Hedwig,” Harry whispered, and Hermione was the second one to him. The woman was at his side. “I'm so sorry.” His voice was horse and weak. “Shh,” the woman said, calmly. She petted back his sweaty hair and looked at his eyes. “I'm here, brother. You don't die on me, you hear me? You aren't going to die.” Tears flowed down her face. Hermione thought that she was a statue that had come to life, but it was a real person. Human and alive. “Please don't die, you're all I have left.” Harry nodded. “You're alive?” “Yeah, you saved me, Harry,” she allowed her tears to fall again “You saved me.” “I'm glad you're alive, I couldn't lose you too.” Harry fell asleep and Madame Pomfrey wiped the sweat off of her brow. The woman smiled sweetly at Harry, holding his hand tightly. The tears were flowing down her face freely now. “He's stable, but not out of the woods yet,” she said. “I for one would like to know what he was doing that caused this damage.” “I believe Mr. Potter was working with Alchemy, wasn't he, Hedwig,” Professor McGonagall said, appearing out of nowhere. The woman nodded. Hermione was right. Somehow, Harry had done it. He made an animal completely human. “What was he doing with Alchemy, professor?” Hermione asked, walking slowly over to Harry's body. His chest was moving slowly up and down. He looked like he was in a lot of pain “He was trying to bring back someone to talk to,” the woman said acidly. “He was alone, Hermione, or don't you remember that conversation you had with him” Hermione gasped at the woman's words. “He just wanted to be with his Godfather again, and something went wrong.” She brought his hand up to his cheek and rubbed it softly against it. “And somehow, this happened. As unhappy as I am like this, I will do my best for you, Harry. Now I can protect you the way I always wanted to, big brother.” “Hermione, why don't we go and leave them alone, Madame Pomfrey can watch after them.” Professor McGonagall placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder, and she broke down into tears. She had hurt Harry so much and now, he might die. She ran out of the room, away from her best friend until this year. She didn't know what to do. Harry was hurt and thought he was alone. After their conversation that morning, Hermione thought of her actions. He was right, she was pushing him away at time to be with Ron. But she rationalized that as the fact that she was his boyfriend, it was okay to spend time with her boyfriend. *But not when you forsake everything else.* A voice that sounded awful a lot like Harry told her. Hermione had confronted Ron that morning too, when he finally woke up. He didn't seem fazed by what she said, treating her almost like she was a prize. Their relation had started to deteriorate. Somewhere, they lost the love that they once had for each other. Yet Hermione stayed with it, hoping that they could work it out. There were good and bad times, and she figured that was common amongst relationships. But their conversation brought much doubt to her mind. When she left the common room in tears, she was determined to talk to Harry again. But she couldn't gather the courage. And now three days later, her friend nearly died. Her life was falling apart and she couldn't stop it. “Ms. Granger,” Professor McGonagall appeared right in front of her. Somehow she had found herself right back at the infirmary. “I doubt running from your problems will solve anything.” The new Headmistress had really stepped up in place of Dumbledore's shoes. It must have been hard, but she was doing a wonderful job at it. Hermione respected her favorite teacher even more because of it. “What happened professor?” Hermione said, through her tears. She was unable to bring herself into the room. Seeing Harry in that much pain and covered in blood hurt her too much. “Harry had been working with Alchemy since the beginning of the school year,” McGonagall looked sad. “He was lonely, and I'm sad to say, that we are all in fault of that.” Hermione nodded. No one had really been there for Harry. “I was glad to see him and Professor Lupin talking this year. To see that child smiling is a blessing, especially after all that had happened..” She looked down. Professor Lupin and Harry talked a lot this year. The topics changed sometimes, but often it was about Sirius and his parents. Some nights when Harry went to his secessions, he didn't come back until very late, and Hermione was usually asleep by then. “So was Harry trying to make Hedwig human?” she figured that was what he meant to do. After all, he would have lost an arm and a leg for something that difficult. “No, he was trying to bring back Sirius.” McGonagall began to walk. “Come with me. There is something we need to take care.” Hermione followed behind her headmistress, still confused. She didn't know much about Alchemy, which meant the next day; she would spend in the library learning about it. “I take it, something went wrong?” Hermione asked. But McGonagall didn't say anything, so she took it as she was meant to be quiet. After walking a bit, they made it to Harry's room. It was simple door, yet only few people could get in. Hermione watched as the headmistress move to open the door. her hand paused before opening it though. “Ms. Granger, I am unsure of how the situation is at hand right now. Are you sure you want to see this?” Hermione nodded, trying to be brave. Professor McGonagall opened the door, and smoke escaped from the room. Smells immediately invaded her nose. Blood, pain, death. It was horrible. McGonagall drew his wand and lit it. She sighed and walked into the room Hermione followed it and had a hard time seeing through the smoke. She walked straight into the room. The thick gray smoke covered most of the room. The smell of blood was sickening, but after seeing Harry, she wasn't surprised at the amount. A hand reached out and grabbed her foot. Hermione drew her wand and pointed straight down. She lit her wand was shocked to see what was holding. It wasn't even human. The nose was missing and the thing was wheezing. A lung was exposed along right next to one of the legs, and the arms were twisted in abnormal positions. Pieces of its body were all over the place, and it was just dying in that tub it was in. Hermione started to scream, but a hand covered her mouth. “This is what happens when wizards try to reach the sun.” McGonagall stood behind her, having surprising amounts of strength for such an old woman. She held her student up, leaning her against her body. Hermione was afraid she was going to collapse from the smells and sights. “This is what has been forbidden.” Hermione wanted to look away. “No, you must see why. Harry knows what he did, but you can not learn from actions alone, you must learn from the reasons that brought that action upon him.” The thing groaned, and released Hermione. It reached upward, for the sun that was hidden.” “He started studying this year, Hermione.” Not once had McGonagall ever used her first name to her. But she couldn't take her eyes off of that disgusting thing before them. “He learned everything, showing what a true prodigy he was in the field. No one, not even Flamel could come as close as Harry did, let alone survive. Alchemy comes at a price. To obtain, something must be lost of equal value. Harry thought that he could bring Sirius back, but one cann't place a price on a soul. There isn't a way known to wizardkind to bring back a soul from the dead.” She slowly removed her hand from Hermione's mouth, allowing her to speak again. She wasn't afraid anymore, and her curiosity was getting the better of her fear. “Why do it, though?” Hermione repeated. “Because we abandon him when he needed us the most.” McGonagall looked down. Hermione turn to the old woman and saw her eyes water up. She figured that it was from the smoke. “We all thought he was okay for that is what he told us. But we should have seen the truth.” She crouched down to look directly into her eyes. They were no longer twinkling like they usually did. Somewhere along the way, she had acquired Dumbledore's twinkle. It was comforting to see it, and now it just hurt so much to not see it. Sadness evoked so much in Hermione from looking at her headmaster. He was in just as much pain as Hermione at what Harry had done. “Harry has never known love Hermione, until he came here. He had friends, and soon a family. But between the Ministry two years ago, Dumbledore's death last year and all of our actions this year, he lost all of that. He lost his family. He couldn't die either, knowing what was at stack, so he took the only other option that he could see: bring his family back.” He pointed at the thing again, and it screamed its agony. Hermione tried to cover its ears. “No, you must hear this, Hermione.” He pulled her hands down to her side and forced to look into his old eyes. “Alone and empty, he studied. He allowed his mind to grow, acting like a sponge and absorbing all the information he could get on Alchemy. In this room, he practice day in and day out. For a while, I almost thought we had the old Harry back. Then something happened a month ago that made everything turn for the worst.” Hermione thought back to a month ago. She gasped. It was all her fault. For a while, she thought things were going great, he was even talking to them again. But then she blew up at Harry over something pointless and trivial. He had wanted to talk the previous day and she dismissed him for Ron. When Harry approached her about it, she yelled at him, saying that all he wanted was attention from everyone and everything. That his fame finally had gotten to his head. That he wanted to break her and Ron. She was awful, cruel…. Harry was right about her. When the last time they spoke, she wasn't even sure if he was even their friend any more. She nearly broke down into tears, but one nagging thought struck her hard. “Professor, if this is what happens when you try to bring a person back,” she gulped, “Then how did he make Hedwig human.” McGonagall smiled, proud of what the Boy-who-Lived had done. “Harry is much smarter than we give him credit for. A binding to an inanimate object is consuming.” He pointed to the spot where a mannequin once stood. “So he made one alive through Transfiguration.” Hermione nodded. It was possible to create all the components for a human body through Transfiguration, but no one had ever made one come alive. “He had a soul, and that was the spark that he needed.” There was dead silence; the thing had finally died. Hermione was glad that she didn't have to deal with it any more. “You may head back to your dormitory.” “But-” “I think Harry needs some time to recover, Ms. Granger,” McGonagall said. He led her over to the door. “He and Hedwig need to talk about things before any of us talk to them.” She stepped out of the room and back into the corridor. So much had happened. She should head back to her room, but she needed to know something. Without a second thought, she rushed down the hallway to the library, wanting to learn just what Harry did to cause so much damage to himself and Hedwig. --> 3. Man with the Mechanical Arm ------------------------------ Chapter 3: Man with the Mechanical Arm Author's Note: Another short chapter, I know…but still… another classic moment in Fullmetal so enjoy. And don't yell at me about Hedwig…. Thanks again for all the compliments, so please continue to review and I'll answer the questions when I can. Okay, I know I haven't been around for a long time, but here is the next chapter, hope you enjoy, and given that there are few loop holes, i'll deal with them in time... this was originally meant to be written in the sixth year.. but I moved it forward without thinking and so... yeah.. .enjoy ()()()()()() When Hermione returned to the infirmary the next morning, she was surprised to see Harry awake and talking. Hedwig was sitting in a hospital gown off in the corner, looking out the window. Snape was in a wooden chair right next to Harry and they were discussing what had happened. After Hermione's late night cram, she learned as much as the library had on Alchemy. She was hoping she could help Harry out with this. “Well, Harry, I try my hardest to get what you want.” Snape stood up and turned around, only to glare at Hermione. She froze where she was, standing perfectly, still and holding her books close to her chest. He glided over to her and paused right next to her. “Be careful where you tread, Ms. Granger,” Snape said softly, to her and only her. “You have caused him more pain than tens of thousands of transmutations that he preformed.” The man walked out quietly, but Hermione didn't watch him, her eyes stayed on Harry. “Hey, Harry,” Hermione said meekly as she walked over to him. She had a small ashamed smile. In truth, she was sorry. In all her wisdom and knowledge, she never meant to hurt him. He looked up at her, and returned the smile. “I'm sorry.” “It's not your fault,” Harry replied. He saw her staring at his lack of a right arm. A blush ran over her face as she looked down. “Not about that. Well, about that, but that's not what I meant when I said I was sorry. I am sorry that that you lost-” Hermione started to talk quickly, nervous about what she was doing. She had no clue how to handle this. “Hermione, breathe,” Harry said, and smiled when she glared at him. But that smile disappeared quickly when he turned away. Hermione watched as his eyes landed on Hedwig, the broken woman who just sat there staring out the window. “She can't feel it.” “Feel what?” “Magic, her essence,” Harry replied. Magical animals did have a connection to magic, but with the transmutation, it appears that Hedwig lost hers. “When she was… normal, it was always there. It was a part of her. Almost a sixth sense. Now…” he trailed off and looked down at the white sheets. He was hurting to see his friend like that. Hermione was hurting to see Harry as well. “So is she human?” Harry shrugged. Hermione tried to hold back her surprise, but failed at it. Harry had done it… but clearly he didn't care. “I'm sorry that it failed, I know how much Sirius meant to you.” He shrugged again, his eyes not moving off of Hedwig. “I guess,” Harry looked back at Hermione. “When Icarus got burned, his father was crushed. It hurt him more than the tortures he went through at Minos.” He sighed deeply, then grimaced. The missing limbs still hurt even with Madame Pomfrey's pain killers. “Hedwig is my best friend, Hermione. She's my sister. And I've put her in this hell. Merlin knows that it has hurt me more than losing this leg has, and God knows that I am grateful that she is still alive. I was willing to give up more just so she was here with me, normal and happy.” Hermione was hurt when he called Hedwig his best friend. Apparently five years of knowing a person meant nothing to him, but he was right. Her and Ron abandoned him, and left him alone to deal with his problems. They were selfish and Harry was paying the price. “But I will fix this.” “Harry,” Hermione said softly, “I was hoping we could be friends again. These past couple months have hurt me a lot, and I'm sorry that I didn't realize how much they have hurt you too. I've been a prat-” “No you haven't Hermione,” Harry started, but she shook her head. “Yes, I have. All I've done is ignore you because I thought that a relationship with one friend was enough to sacrifice another friend. I've been selfish, too, Harry.” She wiped a tear away. “I've been jerk, a prat, worst of all, and I've been ignoring my friend in pain.” Hermione shook her head. “Well, no more. I want to help now.” She was happy to see Harry returning her smile. “I'm glad that I have you as a friend.” Harry said. “I'll have something for you to look at when I done today, but believe me, I'm glad that your back.” “Me too.” Hedwig had come back from the window and sat next to Harry. “But if you hurt him again, so help me Gaia.” Hermione smiled. She had Harry as a friend. It would a be a long road to rebuild his trust, but she would get that back too. Then things could be normal. “You should be getting to class, Ms. Granger,” Madam Pomfrey came out from her office. “You can speak with Harry tomorrow.” “Tomorrow, why not tonight?” Hermione asked, worry taking over her mind. “I've just recived a letter from Professor Snape.” She gave the old woman an odd look. “He is under going a special surgery today, and I need to prepare him for it.” Hermione didn't like the sound of the surgery. Usually magic fixed everything and surgery wasn't needed. But then again, Harry' situation wasn't normal. “Surgery?” Hedwig asked. “Yes, I want you to leave too.” The nurse said firmly. “No, you can't take him from me, I'm all he has left.” Hedwig was frantic, panicking even. She seemed worried about Harry more than Hermione was. “Ms…” Madame Pomfrey trailed off, unsure of what to call him. “Potter, I'm Harry's sister, Hedwig Janelle Potter.” She blushed a bit at that, in truth, they looked nothing alike. Hedwig had long white hair, and was taller than Harry, build as well. She had perfect skin too. Harry was skinny and looked extremely pale right now. Hermione watched in amazement as the two women argued. “I didn't know Harry had a sister?” The nurse said. “How old are you?” “Madame Pomfrey,” Professor Snape appeared. He was hold a large bag that hung behind his shoulders. “You will get your answers when they are needed. And since they are not, you shall prepare Harry for the surgery.” The nurse glared at the Potion Master, but was ignored. “Ms. Granger, please take Ms. Potter to get some food and some better cloths.” He waved his wand and the hospital robe changed into a pair of jeans and a blouse. “Now go.” Hedwig tried to glare at him, but it didn't do anything. “You can come back after dinner if you are that worried about him. Now go.” His voice left no room for argument. Hedwig stood up slowly, apparently out of confusion on how to work her new legs more so than anything. Hermione moved to the woman's side and began to help her. As old as she looked, Hedwig was a child, a girl really. She would never suspect that someone so young was alive in this body. Hedwig didn't in the mood to talk about things, she and Hermione gave one final glance at Harry, smiling weakly and waving with his one good arm. Some things never changed. ------------------ The day dragged for Harry. They had prepared him since the morning, dressing his wounds again, and then waiting for the person to create the automail, a magical oddity. A mechanical creation that used magic as an energy source. The stronger a person was with magic, the stronger the automail was. And given Harry's strength with his saturated magic, his pure left almost nothing to the imagination. It was innate and untainted, and stronger than any Doctor Winry had seen before. She was a kind woman and worked quickly when she arrived at noon. A special room was prepared for Harry. It was empty save a table for his new arm and leg and an operating table with straps. The patient couldn't be put under for this operation, so the room was silenced as well, hoping to drown out the screams that usually came with it. Every thing was set for them; the arm and leg were fully created, along with the connection ports. Now they were just going through the procedure with Harry. He had heard it three different times, and was tired of it. “I know what you are doing,” Harry shouted, “And I don't care about the risks. Just let's get on with procedure.” Severus sighed. He had tried to warn the child all the dangers, but Harry wasn't listening. He wanted this more than anything right now. The Boy-Who-Lived wanted to set everything right. ------------------ Doctor Winry was amazed to hear a silent boy as they slowly attached all his nerves in his arm and leg to the connection ports. “My, I'm surprised.” She said. And Harry held back another scream; he was flailing about, but said nothing. “Most men scream like babies at this point, and we haven't even reached the hard part yet.” “I don't care about my pain,” Harry said through gritted teeth. He was sweating buckets from sheer willpower and concentration. “Everything that I'm going through is nothing compared to what she is.” He grunted against it, and flailed but the straps held him down. Outside the slightly opened door, Hedwig sat there, crying as Harry had the surgery preformed on him. Crying for her loss and Harry's. If she was still an owl, she could have helped him. But in this useless body, there was nothing she could do. ------------------ Hermione hadn't seen Hedwig or Harry since the day before. After they had gotten some food, Hedwig disappeared, nearly falling in her new body. But she made it out of Great Hall okay, but Hermione was worried. Professor Snape hadn't allowed her back into the infirmary. He didn't allow her to look into the place. In fact, a makeshift infirmary was placed near Professor McGonagall's office, much to his chagrin. She was standing outside the gargoyle right now, playing with a handkerchief that Harry had left in the common room the night he walked away from them, from her. It was all she had besides her memories and his gifts. “What are you doing here?” Ron had appeared out of nowhere. “I thought I told you to wait in McGonagall's room.” “You're not my boss, Ron,” Hermione replied. He had become unruly when she had found out what happened to Harry and talk to him. Something had happened in the past few days that made her feel uncomfortable around her boy friend. Now, he was trying to control her and they argued more so than ever. “I just wanted to talk to McGonagall about seeing Harry.” She still wasn't allowed back into the infirmary to see him, worry had wrought her heart since the night before. “He doesn't care about us anymore,” Ron countered, yelling at her. He reached for her arm and held tight. “He left us Hermione. And why are you even caring about him? He's not your boyfriend, I am!” “Ron, let go, you're hurting me,” Hermione pleaded. He had a strong grip. “No, you listen to me.” Ron continued. “I don't want you even to say the name Harry Potter anymore. That bastard has all the fame he could want and I won't let him take you from me.” He pressed himself against her, pushing her to the wall. “How bout a kiss for your boyfriend? And maybe afterward you will finally let me finish what I started three nights ago.” Hermione was never that strong, and now, her strength failed her more. Ron pushed down on her lips, she felt disgusted and dirty. “I believe the lady said let go,” someone said, pulling Ron off of her. Hermione's eyes were closed and she quickly pulled arms around her body, ready to curl into a ball. She wasn't one for public displays and the way Ron was forcing himself on her…… “Who do you think you are-” The sound of metal upon bone echoed through her ears just before a loud thump hit the floor. “That'll teach you to be nice to a lady.” Hermione's still couldn't open her eyes. “Damn Harry, you sure hit him hard,” it was Hedwig's voice. Slowly, she opened her eyes and found them looking into a pair of emeralds. “I wanna know when he got fillings,” Harry smiled at Hermione. She looked between him and Hedwig, who was back to her full armor. A helmet was being held underneath her arm, and a sword was strapped to her waist. She looked like she was ready to take down some villains old schools style. “Probably had them for a while with the way he eats.” Harry chuckled as he pulled a stunned Hermione to her feet. “You okay?” he asked, softly, fixing her hair with his left hand, his right holding hers. Hermione gulped. Harry had his long black hair in a ponytail, some of the bangs falling around his eyes. He wore a red duster, and had a pair of white gloves on. He looked wonderful. “Umm…” “I thinks she shell-shocked,” Hedwig said, walking up to them. “Maybe,” Harry replied. “C'mon you wanted to talk to McGongall about something?” “Yeah, umm…” She trailed off again, getting lost in Harry's eyes. “It was about you.” “Yeah, Madame Pomfrey refused to release me until she gave me a full diagnostic.” He shrugged and smiled at her again. “But I'm doing better.” “Isn't it too soon to be up after your surgery?” “Gaia knows I told him that, Hermione,” Hedwig said, “but he just wouldn't listen. The boys too stubborn for his own good.” Hermione giggled. “Yeah, refuses to budge on anything.” She paused and made it look like she was thinking, biting her lip softly and burrowing her brow. “Yeah, that's Harry definitely.” The girls had a laugh at the expense of Harry, who was blushing bright red. “I'm glad to see your mood has improved.” McGongall came walking down the stairs to them. Ron began to stir and Harry gave a swift kick with left leg. The one that was missing. He was holding her hand in his right. Somehow he had his arm and leg back. Hermione wanted to ask her questions, but the Headmistress cut her off. “Ah, I see the surgery went well?” “Yes, Professor,” Harry replied, before moving to kick Ron again. Hedwig grabbed his arm and stopped him. She shook her head at him, yet held a smile. “Be nice Harry,” she said with a smile. “I take it, Mr. Weasley had gotten too hands on?” Hermione nodded yes. “I was afraid of that. You won't be expelled Harry, so don't worry.” She sighed, looking down at his other student. “But I can not, in good faith expel him either.” Harry looked back at Ron, before nodding his response. He must have been resolved with that outcome the moment the fight happened. “You three must talk to him about this, after my conversation about attacking other students.” “How bout me and Hedwig take Hermione back to the dorms, Professor?” Harry asked, looking at the Headmaster. “Then we can discuss whets going to happen with the both of us.” McGongall nodded and headed back to her office. “C'mon, Hermione,” Hedwig began to lead her back to the Gryffindor dorms. The owl-now-human asked her about her classes, and being polite, she quickly told her about them. But Hermione kept taking glances back at Harry. She was worried about him. The surgery had to be long and painful to get his limbs back, yet Harry wasn't showing any pain at all. “Don't worry about him, dear,” Hedwig smiled as she turned to look at Harry. “It would hurt him more to see you worry about him.” “What happened?” “He had a surgery, that's all,” Hedwig let a tear roll down her face. “He was strong and silent through it all. Such a man” “Your in pain too.” Hermione replied. “He's suffering for trying to find love.” Hedwig shrugged. “He shouldn't have to. So when I get the chance, I'm going to fix it. That automail is going to be tough on his body.” “Not as tough as what is happening to you,” Harry said from behind them. “You don't worry about me, Hedwig, I will get everything fixed. I promise you that.” “I've read about automail,” Hermione said, biting her tongue. There were many horror stories about it from the books in the library. “Most people are out for weeks after words. The pain is compared to the Cruciatus Curse.” Harry shrugged. “A bit worse really.” Hermione's jaw dropped; he was talking about it as if it was nothing. “But sometimes, you have to put yourself through it, when you know what you are going through isn't nothing compared to that of others.” His eyes remained on Hedwig, and she immediately crossed the hall and hugged her brother. “You are a sap, you know that,” she said through her tears, before she pulled back and hit him on the shoulder. Hedwig was a full head taller than Harry, meaning two taller than Hermione, yet in this moment she seemed shorter. “A prat too, making me cry. Its hard to control these emotions.” She pulled away and wiped the tears away. “Part of being human.” “Part of being a woman.” Hedwig corrected. She turned to Hermione. “Now, we are going to talk girl stuff. Gaia knows I've wanted to with you for a long time.” Hedwig walked over to Hermione. “Harry you can go back.” “you sure, I'd feel better walking with you girls back to the Common Room.” “I'm sure, Harry,” Hedwig was already leading Hermione away. “I'll take care of her for you.” Hermione turned around and saw Harry blushing before he turned away. She didn't know why, but he seemed innocent again, as if the war never touched him. It was something so far from the truth that she nearly broke down in tears to watch it leave. -->