Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

Rating: R
Genres: Drama, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 24/11/2005
Last Updated: 24/11/2006
Status: Completed

Book 7, as it should be. As the hunt for horcruxes begins, Harry begins to realise just what is truly important to him. Rated R for violence and some mature themes.

1. Surprises, Jokes, and Toasts

Guess what guys? (and girls)

I’M BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!

And not just for any one-shot either, ohh no.

IT’S NOVEL TIME!

Let me explain myself.

I will admit, that even though I wrote ‘Delusional’ (which everyone should read because it’s the best story out there

and should have won the Felix Felicis Competition

) and said great things about how I was back and stuff, inwardly I was still dead from HBP. Mostly from the butchering of Hermione’s character...I won’t lie, she is what gets me through my fic writing days. She died, I died. Simple, no?

I’ll admit another thing, and that’s I love working in a movie theater. I got to see GoF five hours before the midnight showing, and then AGAIN at midnight, simply because it’s my job – I had to ‘watch the theater to make sure no riots happen’ ::snicker::

I won’t spoil the movie for those of you that haven’t seen it, but GoF is a BLATANT punch in the face to all R/Hr shippers, and I am IN LOVE with Mike Newell for it. I’ll bet that somewhere in a dark, damp room Steve Kloves is reeling from the fact that the director actually managed to convey what the characters were SUPPOSED to be feeling from the screenplay, instead of just falling down dead and not making any effort whatsoever to make the movie like the book ::cough:: Alfonso Cuaron ::cough::.

Even the post-Yule Ball scene that is ‘supposedly’ a big R/Hr support beam is adamantly the opposite, a R/Hr wrecking ball. Granted, books are different from movies, and we’ll probably never see H/Hr in canon, but seeing all teh (spelled wrong on purpose) H/Hr flufferly love reawakened my creative soul. Even though seeing R/Hr get together in Book/Movie 7 will probably cost me several thousand in therapy bills, GoF will still be there for me to remember the blissful days of ignorance when H/Hr actually WERE together in mind AND body. OMGTHEHUGANDKISSSQUEEEEEE!

(And no, I’m not a 13-year old girl).

SO I’M BACK! And with novel material this time. And the good news for you guys is...I have no idea where this is going to go. I have no idea how long it will be, how it will end (well, I have a vague idea how it will end ::wink::), or what will happen along the way, but it will damn well be good.

I realise it might seem a little hypocritical to write ANOTHER 7th year novel (The Path Ahead is my other one, and my master work, which I’m actually fairly proud of), but I’m doing it anyway. Gotta try and fix the shambles that is canon, after all.

As of right now, I’m not going to set an update day in stone. I will eventually, but I want to get into the flow of writing again first before I do, so you might see slightly more than 7 days between updates in the beginning.

So now, after a page of Authors Notes and ramblings, I give you all the first chapter of what I hope is a long and happy road for us revitalised PUMPKIN PIERS (god it feels good to say that again)!

Oh and btw, there will be an author’s note at the end of the chapter with information about what’s been going on in my life, cuz I know some of you care ::double wink::

*****

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

---------------

Chapter 1: Surprises, Jokes, and Toasts

It was with a confused mind and a heavy heart that the boy named Harry Potter laid down on his bed in Number Four, Privet Drive. He sighed as he looked around the room that he called his for the past five summers and closed his eyes, trying not to think of anything.

Of course, when one tries to not think of anything, things invariably force their way to the forefront of one’s mind.

Harry’s heart was heavy with the loss of his friend and mentor, Albus Dumbledore, whom he had personally seen murdered the previous month. It seemed very surreal to him that the man who had helped and guided him since even before he knew what magic was, was now dead. Killed by Severus Snape.

Harry unconsciously clenched his fists at the memory of his ex-teacher. Although he had never liked or trusted him, Harry had never thought that Snape would actually murder the man who had protected him so many times over the years.

Then there was the confusion running rampant in Harry’s mind. If he thought about it (which he was still attempting not to do), the major part of his confusion was about two things. First, the house he was currently in. Harry knew that in one week he would leave the place he had called home for his entire life (although he privately felt that Hogwarts was more of a home to him than Number Four, Privet Drive ever was), and despite the unfair treatment he had received during that time, he felt slightly empty at the prospect of leaving.

Second, Harry was wondering about his absolute lack of feeling towards his breakup with Ginny Weasley. He supposed that it had to do with the fact that there were more important things on his mind, but that didn’t alleviate the confusion he felt on the matter.

The sudden sound of someone knocking on the door to his room startled Harry from his reverie and confused him even more, as none of the Dursleys had ever been polite enough to knock before, let alone wait for an answer.

“Umm...come in?” he said suggestively.

The door opened to reveal his aunt, who was holding a letter and looking slightly paler in the face than she usually was.

“This came for you,” she said weakly holding out the letter for him. Harry recognised the handwriting on the front as Hermione’s, but said nothing of it.

“Thanks,” he said, taking the envelope from her. He was about to open it when he realised that his aunt was still in the room. “Is there anything else?”

“Hmm?” Petunia asked. “Oh...no.” And without another word she left.

Harry shook his head as the door closed, and opened Hermione’s letter.

Harry,

I know you’re probably wondering why I chose to send this the muggle way instead of by owl. The truth is, I think it’s safer than owl at the time being, I don’t think Voldemort would think of intercepting regular post.

I’m at the Burrow already, Bill and Fleur’s wedding is next week...two days after you arrive I think. You should be receiving an official invitation sometime within the next couple of days. Ron and I are planning to keep our promise and come stay with you for the week, but we’d like to know when it’s acceptable to come over.

Now for the hard part. It’s pointless to beat around the bush, so I’ll just get on with it and say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for not believing you...I’m sorry for not listening, I’m sorry for not being there.

When we arrive, I’d like to talk to you in person about what’s happened. I don’t feel that a letter is the proper way to apologise, but I did want to let you know how I feel. Ron feels the same way, if it makes any difference.

Please let us know when we can come. It really matters to us that you have your friends with you right now, and, quite frankly, we both miss you.

Hope to see you soon,
Hermione

Harry placed the letter on his desk and sighed heavily. In his mind, Hermione’s lack of help in the past year was relatively low on his ‘things I am distraught about’ list. Still, it did warm his heart slightly that she was upset about it and cared enough to apologise. Working up some resolve, he grabbed a piece of blank parchment and a quill from his trunk and began to write his reply.

Hermione,

You and Ron can come when you want. Just don’t apparate right into my room or anything like that, ring the bell.

See you soon,
Harry

P.S. Thanks, Hermione

Harry knew it was rather short, but he didn’t see the point in laying down all of his mind’s problems in a letter when he would probably be seeing both of them in a couple of days. Addressing the letter to both Ron and Hermione, he patted Hedwig softly on the head before tying the letter to her foot and opening the window. The snowy owl nipped at his ear affectionately and took off, quickly becoming a dark speck in the evening sky.

Harry continued to stare out of the window for a long time after Hedwig had disappeared from sight. The sun was almost below the horizon, and it gave the sky a beautiful, warm glow. Harry searched his mind for the last time when he had both the time and peace to watch the sun set, and to his surprise, came up blank.

“Have I never seen a sunset in my life?” he said quietly to himself. He was sure that it couldn’t have been his first, but could only come to the conclusion that memories of a more serene time had been replaced by those of recent dark times.

“BOY!” Harry’s uncle bellowed from what seemed like the bottom of the stairs. “DINNER!”

“Glad to see some things haven’t changed,” Harry muttered, turning around to exit his room.

Harry’s gait was purposely slow as he walked down the stairs, trying to stave off being in the same room as his uncle for a little longer. Resigned to another awkward and uncomfortable dinner, he made his way into the dining room and took his usual seat, not caring that the Dursleys were already seated and had begun eating.

“What’s the matter with you, then?” asked Vernon. Harry shrugged; he was in no mood to try and explain things he was sure his uncle would have less than no interest in. “You’ll be leaving in a week?”

“That’s right,” replied Harry heavily.

“Good,” said his uncle. “It’s about time you go out there in the world and learn what it’s like to be a responsible being.”

“Right,” Harry muttered sarcastically.

“Don’t give me that tone,” said Vernon.

“Sure,” said Harry. He could tell his uncle was itching to say something else, but for some strange reason held his tongue.

“So Harry, how was school this past year?” asked Petunia.

The thought that he was lucky to have not been eating anything at the time or else he might’ve choked briefly flashed through Harry’s mind at hearing this.

“Um...not so good, I guess,” he replied, almost scared to make eye contact with his aunt. This was met with a derisive grunt from Vernon.

“Why?” he asked gruffly.

Harry’s mind was reeling. For the past six years, even the mention of magic was enough to turn his uncle’s face redder than a singing valentine and send Petunia and Dudley fleeing into another room in terror. Now, he was seated at the dinner table with the three of them discussing his school year as if it were the latest football scores.

“Er...”

“Oh, out with it boy,” said Vernon impatiently. “They give you detention for your toad having too many horns or something?”

“Not exactly,” said Harry hesitantly.

“Well? Are you going to tell us why it was ‘not so good’ or not?”

Deciding that it would be pointless to continue trying to delay the inevitable, Harry opted to tell the truth. ‘The truth, after all,’ he remembered Dumbledore telling him once, ‘is generally preferable to lies.’

“I was forced to watch my headmaster be murdered right in front of me and I was helpless to do anything about it,” said Harry, defeated.

Harry was not surprised at the confusion etched in the faces of his cousin and uncle; it was the reaction he expected from them. He was slightly taken aback, however, at the shock his aunt was expressing.

“Bumblebee?” asked Vernon stupidly.

“Dumbledore,” Harry corrected.

“He...he’s dead?” Petunia asked, her eyes wide.

“Yes,” Harry replied. “I watched him die myself.”

“H-how?” she asked shakily.

“A man named Severus Snape killed him,” replied Harry.

“Snape?” Petunia asked. “The same Snape that my sister went to school with?”

“You’ve heard about him?” Harry asked, his interested ignited at the prospect of hearing about his parents.

“Heard about him?” said Petunia with a dry laugh. “That was all Lily ever talked about when she was home on break. That ‘ruddy boy James and his famous fights with the infamous Snape.’”

Harry couldn’t help but chuckle at the thought of his mother going on about Snape and his father.

“Wait,” said Vernon, still trying to comprehend everything. “I thought Bumble...Dumble...whatever his name was, I thought he was all-powerful or something?”

“No one’s all-powerful,” Harry said with a sigh.

“Sure acted like he was,” Vernon mumbled.

“Alright, look,” Harry said, standing up. “Both of you are acting very odd. Aunt Petunia, you suddenly care about my school life and Dumbledore, and Uncle Vernon, you aren’t turning four shades of red and purple at the mention of magic. The only person acting normally is Dudley, and he’s either too confused or too scared to say anything. Will someone please tell me just what is going on?!”

The Dursleys looked quite nervous having just been called on their strange behavior by Harry. Petunia opened her mouth to say something, but then closed it again just as quickly. Instead, it was Vernon who made the next move.

“Well, er...um...” Harry privately thought that if someone poured water on his uncle’s head, it would probably turn to steam from the amount of work his brain was doing. “Dinner’s over. Off to bed.”

“But I’m still hungry!” Dudley wailed, the first sound out of him all supper.

“I SAID BED!” roared Vernon, obviously displeased at having been caught in a situation unfavorable for him.

Harry held his laughter as Dudley got out of his chair and left the room, shoulder’s slumped.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” he said, as he picked up his dishes and placed them on the counter, “but whatever it is, I’ll be out of your hair for good in a week, and you won’t have to worry about taking care of me anymore.” Harry turned around and began walking away. “Oh and by the way,” he added, as he reached the doorway. “My two best friends are going to be coming over for the remainder of the week. I promise that the three of us will be well behaved and out of your hair for the most part.”

Harry mentally counted down the seconds until his uncle’s brain caught up with what he just said.

“Say what?!” his uncle yelled as Harry ran up the stairs two at a time. “NOW WAIT JUST ONE SECOND!”

‘Some things never change,’ Harry thought to himself with a small smile as he closed the door to his room behind him.

It was somewhat of a surprise to Harry when it became apparent a few minutes later that his uncle wasn’t going to race up the stairs and beat the door down. He supposed that his Aunt probably had something to do with it, but didn’t dwell on the thought.

Harry looked to his window again, but to his dismay, only the last dying strands of light were peeking out from the horizon, the sky now a deep, navy blue. He sat down on his bed and wondered how, after all he had seen and heard in the past three years, could he still manage a small smile to himself?

The more he thought about it, the more he realised it was because of the people in his life who cared about him. Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, most of the teachers at Hogwarts, really, Ginny, the rest of the Weasleys...

‘Maybe Dumbledore was right about love,’ Harry thought to himself. ‘I probably would’ve gone barking mad by now if they all hadn’t been there to hold me down.’

The sound of the doorbell ringing in the downstairs hall brought Harry from his thoughts. Confused, he looked at his watch and saw that it hadn’t even been two hours since Hedwig had taken flight with his letter.

“Who is it?” he heard Vernon ask, voicing Harry’s question.

He didn’t hear the reply, but heard the door open and then close a few seconds later. Harry paid it no mind, ‘Probably just some door to door salesperson,’ he thought to himself. His opinion of the situation changed, however, when two rather loud thuds came from what he guessed was just at the base of the stairs.

Blood started rushing through Harry’s body as he quickly went to his trunk and retrieved his wand. He heard muted voices coming from the stairs and suddenly a new train of thought added itself to the mix inside Harry’s head.

‘Dumbledore’s dead...there’s no protection here anymore...’

He could now hear footsteps in the hall outside his room, ‘Multiple people,’ he guessed, based on the way the wood was creaking. Silently, he positioned himself next to his window so he could get a clear shot on the first person then jump out if he was overmatched. They were now standing just outside of his room; he could see the shadows of their feet in the space below the door. Steeling himself, he aimed his wand at the entrance to his room just as the door began to open.

“SUPRI–”

”STUPEFY!” Harry roared. A broad jet of red light erupted from the tip of his wand – and impacted on the chest of his long time best friend, Ron Weasley, subsequently throwing him backward onto the wall opposite Harry’s room where he slid down, unconscious.

“Harry!” exclaimed Hermione. “What on earth are you doing?!”

“Hermione?” Harry asked, lowering his wand. “Oh, bollocks.”

“Who did you think we were?” she asked, crouching down over Ron and making sure he wasn’t seriously injured.

“Well when you come sneaking around like that, I don’t really know what to think,” Harry said. “Especially when I hear something that sounds like my uncle and cousin hitting the floor.”

Hermione stared up at him incredulously for a moment then pointed down the hall towards the stairs, where Harry clearly saw two suitcases.

“Ronald, being the brilliant, dextrous boy that he is, conveniently didn’t notice the stairs and tripped.”

“Well, that’s all fine, but Hermione,” Harry said, lowering his voice. “I don’t think we can stay here.”

“What?” she asked, worried. “Why not?”

“Well, the thought crossed my mind that since Dumbledore’s gone now...maybe the protection he placed here is gone.”

Hermione thought about this for a moment before speaking.

“I don’t think so,” she said, returning her attention to Ron. “Mind you, it’s ancient magic, so I could be wrong, but a protective bond between family only needs to be activated. It doesn’t need to be maintained.”

“So even though Dumbledore’s dead –”

“The protection is still here, until you turn seventeen,” Hermione finished. “It looks like he’s okay,” she said, standing up. “It’s really a good thing I had the idea to put an Unplottable Charm on the house before we knocked, or else you’d be having trouble with some people from the Ministry who’d want to snap your wand in half.”

“I...wait, what?”

“You’re not seventeen yet,” Hermione said, rolling her eyes. “You can’t do magic outside of school. I figured that since that was the case, I’d make the house Unplottable so the Ministry doesn’t know what’s going on inside it. Ennervate.”

Ron stirred and blinked a couple of times before realising he was on the floor. Squinting, he looked up at Harry and Hermione.

“How’d I end up down here?” he asked lamely.

“Harry was being paranoid,” said Hermione, helping Ron to a standing base.

“Oh come on,” Harry protested as Ron brushed himself off. “You two sneaking up here like a couple of death eaters, what would you have thought?”

“You thought we were death eaters?” asked Ron in a tone that suggested he thought Harry was mental.

“Well, honestly,” said Harry, exasperated. “How was I supposed to know that Hedwig was going to get to the Burrow in less than a day?”

“She did get there sooner than we expected,” Hermione said. “We didn’t expect to hear back from you until at least tomorrow.”

Harry nodded and shuffled his feet around, not looking either of them in the face.

“Well?” asked Ron. “Are you going to invite us into your room or are we going to stand out here all day?”

“Oh, er...come on in,” said Harry, standing aside to let them into his room.

“Well this is much too small,” said Hermione as Ron dragged the two suitcases inside. Harry watched as she drew her wand and raised it above her head, tracing a circle in the air before bringing it down across her body. To his amazement, the room began to expand outward until it was the size of the Gryffindor common room.. “That’s much better.”

“Brilliant, Hermione,” said Ron as he closed the door. “Now then, got anything to eat, Harry?”

“Er...downstairs,” Harry replied, staring around his newly sized room.

“Right then, be right back,” said Ron as he exited, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

“Erm...would you like to sit down?” asked Harry weakly after a few moments of uncomfortable silence.

“Sure,” replied Hermione, who sat down on Harry’s bed.

“Um...”

“Harry,” Hermione interjected, reaching out and taking his hand before motioning for him to sit down next to her, which he did. “I’m sorry.”

“I know,” said Harry, his gaze fixed on his shoes.

“Actually I don’t think you do,” said Hermione. “I...I...”

Harry looked up at her and was surprised to see she was fighting back tears.

“Hey,” he said comfortingly. “What’s wrong?”

“I just...I just can’t help but feel responsible for Dumbledore,” said Hermione taking a shaky breath. “If I had just listened to you –”

“Look,” said Harry, taking her other hand with his. “I told him everything I thought I knew, and it didn’t change his mind one bit. I don’t think you could’ve come up with anything that might have changed that.”

“But –”

“No buts, Hermione,” said Harry softly, but sternly. “The past is in the past. We can’t change it. Hey,” he added, tilting her chin up to look at him. “You’re here now. That’s what counts.”

Hermione looked at him for a moment before wrapping her arms around him in a hug, which he embraced.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

“Am I interrupting anything?” Ron asked from the doorway. Harry gave Hermione a smile before letting go and turning around.

“Not at all,” he said with a small smile. “You couldn’t find anything?” he added, seeing Ron’s empty arms and mouth.

“Oh there was plenty,” replied Ron with an evil gleam in his eyes. “But apparently your cousin thinks the Yorkshire Pudding is worth more than his life.”

“And?” asked Harry with a grin.

“And what?” replied Ron with a shrug. “I’m not that mean, Harry, blimey.”

“How very thoughtful of you, Ron,” laughed Hermione.

“Tell me about it,” he said. “That boy doesn’t love food, he’s in love with it.”

“It’s not hard to tell that, given his size,” said Harry with a grin. “So what are you going to do about eating?”

“Well I didn’t think your relatives would be very accommodating when it came to us, so I put an owl order in for food from the Leaky Cauldron. We should get a package every day for the next week that tides us over for each day,” said Ron with a wink.

“Two sensitive acts in the course of ten minutes,” chuckled Hermione. “Congratulations Ron, you’ve graduated to the emotional range of a teacup.”

Ron’s ears burned red. “You remember that, do you?”

“Well I was the one who said it,” said Hermione with a laugh.

“Speaking of my relatives,” interjected Harry. “How did you two convince my uncle to let you inside without a fight?”

“We have my father to thank for that one,” said Hermione. “When I told him I was going to be coming here with Ron, he had the brilliant idea that I bring along a sort of peacemaker.”

“He knows what Vernon’s like?” asked Harry, surprised.

“Of course,” said Hermione. “What?” she added at Harry’s expression. “You didn’t honestly think that I never talked about you or Ron when I was home for summer?”

“Didn’t cross my mind really,” admitted Harry. “But go on, what did you give him?”

“A great hulking bottle of Brandy,” said Ron with a grin.

“How’d you manage to get a hold of that?” asked Harry. “Neither of you are eighteen.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and drew her wand. Silently, she waved it through the air in patterns that were foreign to Harry, and a moment later a bottle of white wine appeared in her lap.

“You can conjure spirits?” asked Harry, awestruck.

“Well...technically it’s illegal,” said Hermione, a small blush creeping up into her cheeks. “But I figure that we’re allowed to break the rules a few times for the greater good.”

“This coming from the girl who thinks that expulsion is worse than death,” muttered Ron.

“I will have you know, Ronald Weasley, that I was twelve when I said that,” chastised Hermione.

“Doesn’t erase the fact that you said it,” said Ron with a grin. Hermione shook her head and waved her wand once more in the air, and three crystal glasses joined the bottle of wine in her lap.

“You’re not suggesting that we start drinking alcohol,” said Harry, looking at Hermione as if she had sprouted another head.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” she said, handing each of them a glass. “I’m suggesting we have a toast.”

“To what?” Ron asked as Hermione uncorked the bottle and poured a little bit into each glass.

“To us,” said Hermione, lifting her glass. “Together for almost six years now.”

“Hear, hear,” said Harry with a smile. The three of them touched their glasses together lightly and downed the contents.

“The muggles drink this stuff all the time?” asked Ron, looking at the empty glass. Hermione nodded. “It’s not bad.”

“Another toast then,” said Harry, taking the bottle and refilling the glasses. “To the fall of Voldemort.”

“Hear, hear!” Ron and Hermione shouted.

“Oy! Keep it down in there!” shouted Vernon from the next room. Suppressing a chuckle, Hermione waved her wand at the door and muttered a silencing charm. The three of them laughed and looked at each other.

“To the fall of Voldemort, then,” said Ron raising his glass. Again, they drank, and this time it was Ron who refilled them. “To Gryffindor!”

“To Gryffindor!” Harry and Hermione echoed, repeating their previous actions.

The toasting continued on for about an hour, with Hermione conjuring a new bottle every fifteen minutes or so. They toasted everything from Neville’s toad, Trevor, to the giant troll from their first year, and Snape being a greasy-haired git.

“Well, this is the last of it,” Hermione said with a hiccup, emptying the contents of the fourth bottle into each of their glasses. “No more after this one...I think.”

“Who’s going to do it then?” asked Ron, his speech slurred.

“I will,” said Harry, lifting his head to look at both of them directly. He raised his glass ever so slightly and said, “To fallen heroes.”

Ron raised his glass to Harry’s and added, “To Cedric.

Hermione did likewise. “To Sirius.”

Harry smiled and nodded. “To Dumbledore.”

And they drank again, the glass dropping to the floor from Ron’s hand after he had drained it. Harry and Hermione managed to put their glasses on the small table beside the window before falling down onto his bed a moment later.

There was silence in the room for several minutes, which was only then broken by a loud snore from Ron. Harry, feeling very sleepy himself, turned to Hermione and smiled.

“You’re... ah...a great person, Hermione,” he said, trying not to stumble over his words.

“Thanks, Harry,” she replied with a small giggle.

“I mean it,” he pressed on. “Dunno where I’d be without you.”

“Still in first year,” Hermione joked, burying her face in his pillow.

“Gee....thanks,” said Harry. “But really, it meansh a lot to me that you an’ Ron came here.”

“We both love you Harry,” said Hermione in an extremely sleepy voice. “Very...much.” And with that she fell asleep.

Harry stared looking at her sleeping form for a minute before he smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

“Love you too, Mione,” he said, and not bothering to take off his glasses, rolled over to the other side of the bed and drifted off to the world of dreams.

---------------

And while I'm at it, I'd like to give two toasts of my own. One to each and every one of you, my readers, for your faith, either new or continued, and one to this story. May it be long and prosperous. ::drinks deeply from a can of Diet Dr. Pepper::

Liked it? Hated it? Let me know.

Well, that’s the first installment. I know it’s not very long, but hey, I think it’s alright. Now, for the update in my life that I promised.

I’m not in Los Angeles as I had been oh so gushing about. Several factors combined with life’s inexplicable ability to screw with the human mind caused me to return to Massachusetts only a few days after I arrived in California. In a word, LA was simply much too cramped for my style.

I know I should’ve been more diligent about my preparation to go there (i.e., actually GO THERE before going there), but alas, no one is perfect, even though I try to be. So I’m back in my little home in Massachusetts, working at my local AMC theater and back to writing fanfiction. Even though I do wonder what life would’ve been like had I stayed in Hollywood, I can’t say I’m not happy that I’m back home.

As with some of my other stories, I will TRY to reply to the reviews I get. I do appreciate the comments you guys leave me and will try to answer your questions. As of now, I haven’t started the next chapter, but I’m hoping to have it out before Friday next week. So, until next time my readers!

-G.S.

And if you haven’t seen Goblet of Fire yet, get off yer lazy arse and go do it. ::wink::

2. Farewell, Number Four

Welcome back, everyone.

Glad to see some of my faithful readers are still out there...and even more glad to see some new ones picking up my fics. Thanks to all!

Now then, as for the time it took me to update this, I have a few things to say about that.

Some things came up in my life that kept me from writing as much as I would’ve liked. I had an episode while I was at work that caused me to collapse, and since then I’ve found out I have anemia. I do sincerely apologise for the length it has taken me to post this, but I would ask your forgiveness as it was not really something I had control over.

I have nothing more to say right now, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 2: Farewell, Number Four

Harry’s first thoughts when he awoke the next morning were that his head was killing him and it was much too bright. That, and something warm and soft that was snuggled up next to him, laying on his left arm. He was in the middle of trying to remember exactly why his head was killing him when the warm and soft thing next to him let out a quiet sigh.

His curiosity piqued, Harry cracked an eye open only to be met with the sight of bushy brown hair.

‘It’s only Hermione,’ he thought to himself, relaxing. It took about three seconds for that thought to really sink in.

Harry’s eyes flew open and carefully he lifted his head, trying to determine whether or not Ron was awake while not shifting around too much. Thankfully, both Ron and the bed remained undisturbed, the former snoring away happily in the chair he had fallen asleep in last night.

Harry pinched the bridge of his nose with his free hand, trying to remember how they had all ended up in this predicament. He remembered stupefying Ron...Hermione apologising to him for last year...Hermione conjuring the wine...

“The wine...” muttered Harry under his breath. Hermione muttered something unintelligible next to him, but stayed asleep, much to his relief.

Harry’s main objective now was to free himself from his best friend without waking her. Slowly, he began to inch his arm out from under her. He was halfway there when she rolled over and looked up at him, blinking.

“My head hurts,” she whispered.

“I was trying not to wake you,” said Harry sheepishly.

“It’s alright,” replied Hermione. “What?” she asked, seeing a faint blush in Harry’s cheeks.

“Oh...well...er...”

“Harry,” she said, putting her hand on his arm. “We’re best friends.”

“I know that,” he replied.

“Then it shouldn’t matter that we slept together,” said Hermione. “Nothing out of the ordinary happened...right?”

“Of course not?!” exclaimed Harry, earning a grunt from Ron. They both jumped at the sound, but thankfully their red-headed friend stayed asleep. “Of course not,” he whispered. “Hermione I would never do anything like that.”

“Then there’s nothing to be embarrassed about,” she said. “Though I think it might be a good idea to separate ourselves before Ron wakes up. It might save some weird questions.”

“Yeah,” replied Harry as Hermione rolled off his arm and swung her legs over the side of the bed.

“Oh...” she moaned, bringing her right hand up to her temple and rubbing it while shielding the sun from her eyes with her left.

“Let me do that for you,” offered Harry, moving to sit behind her.

“Wait a sec,” said Hermione, grabbing her wand off the floor. She pointed it at the window, muttered something unintelligible, and a moment later the room was enveloped in darkness, the offending brightness gone. “Much better.”

“How’s this?” asked Harry softly as he began to rub her temples.

“Mmmm...very nice,” she replied, leaning back into him. “We got a little carried away last night, didn’t we?”

“Just a bit,” said Harry with a dry laugh.

“We don’t get carried away often enough,” sighed Hermione.

“Never thought I’d hear that statement come from you,” muttered Harry offhandedly.

“Well it’s true,” said Hermione. “And I don’t reckon we’ll be able to for quite some time.”

“You’re probably right,” replied Harry. “We can’t be going around getting pissed if we’re to find horcruxes.”

Hermione reached up and gently grabbed Harry’s right wrist, causing him to cease his ministrations.

“So you’re going to let us come with you then?” she asked softly.

“Even if I didn’t,” said Harry with a smirk, “would that stop you?”

“So it’s because you have no other choice?” asked Hermione, turning around to face him.

“Partially,” admitted Harry. “I’ll be honest, I don’t like the idea of you two putting yourselves in danger for me.”

“That’s a bit rich, coming from you,” replied Hermione with a faint hint of a smile.

“It’s the truth, though,” said Harry. “But that aside, I reckon I’d last about a minute out there by myself.”

“Oh, so you’re using us, then,” replied Hermione with a laugh.

“Are you purposely trying to guilt trip me, Granger?” asked Harry, narrowing his eyes even though he was joking.

“Now what would be the point of that?” asked Hermione slyly. “As if you don’t have enough guilt already.”

“Isn’t that the truth,” said Harry shaking his head and sighing.

“Harry,” said Hermione looking him in the eyes. “You don’t really blame yourself for Dumbledore’s death, do you?”

“I don’t know, to tell you the truth,” he replied. “I mean, sure it was Snape who killed him, but if he hadn’t been so weak from the potion that I forced down his throat –”

“Then you wouldn’t even have the chance to find out who R.A.B. is and the horcrux would be lost forever,” interjected Hermione. And as much as Harry hated to admit it, she was right.

“So what do we do now?” he asked after a moment.

“We continue on, just as we were meant to,” said Hermione. “But first, a shower is in order, perhaps.” And without another word she grabbed her suitcase and left the room.

Harry sat in silence for a minute, stunned at Hermione’s abrupt departure. He supposed she was right, and after all, it was he who had said the previous day that the past was in the past, and couldn’t be changed.

He sighed and looked at the clock on his bedside table, only to realise that he wasn’t wearing his glasses. Running his hands over the bedspread, he found them under the pillow and looked over to see that it was just past ten in the morning.

Deciding that it would probably be better to let Ron sleep, Harry lay back down on the bed, interlaced his fingers behind his head, and stared at the ceiling. He silently wondered how the three of them would go about finding the horcruxes once all was said and done with Fleur and Bill’s wedding and Godric’s Hollow.

‘The locket...the cup...the snake... something of Gryffindor’s of Ravenclaw’s,’ thought Harry to himself. He refused to let himself forget what Dumbledore had taught him, and therefore had made it a habit to repeat those words in his head at least once a day over the past few weeks. “R.A.B...,” he whispered to himself. “Who the bloody hell is R.A.B.?”

“I’ve been thinking that you should ask someone in the order about that,” said Hermione, coming back into the room. Although she was fully dressed, her hair was still wet and it gave Harry the notion that she was becoming rather feminine.

“Dumbledore told me –”

“Not to tell anyone what you two were doing that night,” interrupted Hermione. “I know. I’m not saying you should go around telling people you’re hunting for horcruxes, but maybe if you just mentioned in passing that you were wondering about someone with the initials R.A.B., you might get some results.”

“And how would that work?” asked Harry. “Imagine me going up to Remus and asking, ‘hello, do you know any dodgy wizards with the initals R.A.B.?’”

“Didn’t you do the exact same thing when you were trying to find out who the half-blood prince was?” asked Hermione, which caused Harry to sober up instantly. “You ask and tell a lot of things to members of the Order, and despite the fact that you’re not in it, they do give you honest answers.”

“They’ll want to know why I want to know about this person,” said Harry glumly. “I had no qualms telling Remus about the Prince...I thought it was my dad, and the spells certainly seemed harmless enough at the time. But what will I tell them when they ask me ‘why do you want to know?’”

“Tell them that you saw something at Godric’s Hollow with the initials,” suggested Hermione. “Carved into a tree, or something like that.”

“It might spark some interest in them, especially if I asked Remus,” said Harry. “And it’d have to wait until after we got back.”

“I thought the hunt was going to wait until we got back anyway,” said Hermione, more as a statement than a question.

“I suppose you’re right,” sighed Harry. “It makes no sense to cut off all my resources.”

“Now you’re getting it,” grinned Hermione.

“Well, I’m going to go take a shower as well,” said Harry, standing up and going over to his dresser. “I imagine that I smell a right sight worse than you did about an hour ago.” He quickly grabbed some clothes, dodged the pillow that Hermione had thrown at him, and exited the room, winking at her as he left.

Twenty minutes later he returned to find that Ron was awake, and chatting animatedly in hushed tones to Hermione.

“Something important?” Harry asked, rubbing his hair with a towel. The two of them jumped as if they had been shocked, and turned to face him.

“Sorry,” breathed Hermione. “Didn’t see you there.”

“What was so important to make you both so edgy?” he asked.

“Nothing, just stuff about Bill and Fleur’s wedding,” replied Ron, though Harry thought he could sense some dishonestly in his voice.

“So what are we going to do today?” he asked. “There’s not much to do around the house...”

“Well what do you normally do?” asked Hermione.

“Honestly? Nothing,” said Harry with a shrug. “I’m usually too deep in thought to do anything...if not I sometimes take walks around the block. Or at least I did before Voldemort’s return was accepted.”

“Well it’s broad daylight, I don’t think any death eaters are going to attack us,” said Hermione. “Besides, I want to go and talk to that neighbor of yours and see if she can do me a favor.”

“Mrs. Figg?” asked Harry in astonishment, to which Hermione nodded. “Why on earth do you need to ask her for a favor?”

“Because I would like to get some potions ingredients, and preferably soon,” she replied. “I don’t want to be walking around all day with a hangover.”

“You’re more than welcome to,” shrugged Harry. “But there’s probably someone from the Order watching the house. There almost always is these days.”

“Why would they bother doing that?” asked Ron. “It’s not like You-Know-Who can touch you here.”

“Probably to follow us just in case we go out for a walk like we’re about to,” said Harry, motioning them to follow him out of his room. They proceeded down the stairs into the hall, where Aunt Petunia was dusting the framed pictures.

“Morning,” said each of them in turn as they passed her. When there was no response, Harry looked back briefly to see her looking at them with intrigue. After a moment she gave him a curt nod and resumed her dusting.

“Now then,” said Harry opening the front door, causing bright sunlight to hit their faces. “Know any charms that’ll make invisible people appear?”

“No need,” replied Hermione, squinting at something across the street. Harry and Ron followed her gaze and saw a tabby cat with square markings around its eyes. The cat, noticing them, looked both ways down the street and ran across, transforming into Professor McGonagal once safely inside the house.

“Good morning, Professor,” said Harry, closing the door.

“Mister Potter, Mister Weasley, Miss Granger,” she said, cordially. Sensing there was someone else in the area, she turned around and saw Petunia staring at her, one of her thin eyebrows arched. “Mrs. Dursley.”

Petunia said nothing, only gave her the same curt nod she had given Harry and went about her business.

“Perhaps we could go somewhere private to talk?” McGonagal asked. “I’m not here by coincidence, although it seems that since you were looking for me, the timing of my arrival was most opportune.”

“Sure,” said Harry. “My room is sound-proofed.”

McGonagal followed the three of them up the stairs and into Harry’s room. Harry held the door open for everyone and then closed it as he joined them.

“A very large and comfortable area,” said McGonagal with a smile. “I suppose we have Miss Granger to thank for that?”

Hermione blushed and nodded slightly.

“Very good, now, down to business,” said McGonagal, waving her wand and conjuring them large armchairs not unlike the ones in Dumbledore’s office to sit in. “We need to talk about several things, Harry, the first of which is how you will be getting to the Burrow.”

“I can apparate,” replied Harry automatically. “If I could side-along Dumbledore from over a hundred kilometers away, I think I can do myself the Burrow.”

“Whether you can or cannot is not the issue,” stated McGonagal. “The fact that you are underage and don’t have a license is. I will personally come to take you there.”

“Alright,” acquiesced Harry. “What else?” McGonagal thought for a moment before speaking again.

“For many years now, I have been the second-in-command within the Order of the Phoenix,” she said slowly. “When Albus died, I became the head.”

“Um...congratulations?” suggested Harry.

“Thank you, but I have not come here to brag,” continued McGonagal. “Part of the instructions that Albus gave to me included that I view the entire contents of his pensieve. And while this has taken me the better part of two weeks to accomplish, I have managed to do so.” Harry nodded, having a feeling where this was going. “I will then presume, that on the night you and Albus left the school, you were searching for a horcrux?”

There was silence in the room as Hermione and Ron stared anxiously at Harry to see what he would say.

“We were,” he finally said after a minute of contemplation.

“And were you successful?” asked McGonagal.

“No,” said Harry truthfully. He waited to see if she would press him for more information, but this seemed enough to satisfy her.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she said, pursing her lips in a frown. “I would like you to know, Harry, that since there is now an actual plan to defeat Voldemort, you will have full access to all of the Order’s resources. Especially because of the prophecy.”

“Thank you,” said Harry graciously.

“I understand that you will want to search for the horcruxes by yourself, but I do ask that you remember we are here to help you, and will, should you ask.”

“I understand,” nodded Harry.

“Good,” said McGonagal. “Now, I have brighter news for you three.” Harry, Ron, and Hermione all looked towards her with interest at this. “After much deliberation, Hogwarts will remain open this year.”

“That’s wonderful!” exclaimed Hermione.

“I had a feeling that you would enjoy this news, Miss Granger,” smiled McGonagal. “Now, while I do not in any fashion expect you three to continue your studies religiously what with the time you will have to invest searching for horcruxes, I would request that you stay at the castle. You would, of course, have access to all of its facilities and would be free to come and go as you pleased.”

“I dunno...” said Harry slowly.

“You do not need to give me an answer right away,” said McGonagal. “In fact, I wish you not to. Take some time to think about it.” Harry nodded at this. “Now, what can I do for you all?”

“Oh, I was wondering if perhaps it would be possible to get some valerian roots, powdered scarabs, and leech juice,” said Hermione quickly. Harry saw McGonagal’s eyes narrow at his friend, then dart around the room, finally landing on the empty bottles on the floor.

“While I do not condone the consumption of alcohol by those who are underage by any means,” she said, her eyes still narrowed. “I do think that perhaps we all need to relax from time to time, especially during these days. It so happens that Molly Weasley keeps a hangover potion stocked in her cabinets in case any of her men come home drunk, so I’ll grab that. And no, Mister Weasley,” she added, seeing the look on Ron’s face. “I will tell her it’s for Mundungus, as she will easily believe that story.”

“Thanks,” said Ron, blushing.

“I will not do this for you again, however,” continued McGonagal. “So please refrain from any more...frivolity for the time being.”

The three of them nodded somberly, and McGonagal’s face softened slightly.

“I shall be back here in four days time, at precisely one in the afternoon,” she said, standing up. “Please be ready to leave when I arrive.” Again, the three of them nodded, and McGonagal turned to leave. “Here is your official invitation to the wedding, Potter,” she added, pulling an envelope from her robes and handing it to Harry. “Oh, and if you should need anything else, Tonks and Alastor have been switching off keeping guard. Alastor is always in the backyard, invisible, and Tonks is the many different people taking walks down the street. Take care.” And without another word she turned and walked from the room, closing the door behind her.

“Well...that was fun,” said Ron after a moment. Harry and Hermione nodded but were startled a moment later at the sound of a pop, and a heavy glass bottle appearing on the floor in front of them.

“So,” said Hermione, conjuring three new glasses. “Who’s first?”

=====

Three days later found Harry, Ron, and Hermione on one of their walks, which they had taken to having for hours at a time over the past few days.

“So what do you think about Hogwarts?” asked Ron conversationally. “Thinking about going back?”

“Course I have,” replied Harry. “I mean...it seems like the logical thing to do, but I don’t know...something about it just seems...off.”

“Well you did see some pretty horrible things there,” said Hermione pointedly. “It’d be enough to rattle anyone’s bones.”

“Where else would I go though?” asked Harry. “I mean, I can’t stay at the Burrow all year round –”

“Mum would be more than happy to have you, though,” interrupted Ron.

“No offense, Ron, but your mother can be a bit...constricting at times,” said Hermione tentatively.

“And just what’s that supposed to mean?” asked Ron, turning around to face her.

“Children,” interjected Harry before the argument could start. “Let’s not fight now. And Hermione’s right, Ron, your mother does have the tendency to be overbearing sometimes.”

Ron looked rather like a fish out of water, his mouth opening and closing as if he wanted to retort, however no sound came out.

“I’m certainly not staying at Number Twelve,” he continued. “If I can go my lifetime without having to set foot in there again it’ll be too soon.”

“Well I certainly think we should stay at Hogwarts,” said Hermione. “The fact that it’s certainly the safest place to be aside –”

“That didn’t stop Malfoy from infesting the school with death eaters,” Harry pointed out.

“True, but the cabinet’s been destroyed, and if he can figure out another way to get them inside, well...I’ll eat my book.”

Hogwarts, A History?” Harry and Ron asked at the same time. Hermione blushed at this, but nodded.

“I’m going to hold you to that,” said Ron with a grin.

“Moving on,” continued Hermione, looking like she slightly regretted bringing the subject up. “I think having unrestricted access to all of Hogwarts’ information could be very useful.”

“I agree,” said Harry as they rounded the corner onto Privet Drive. “Especially if McGonagal lets me into the headmaster’s office...I’m sure Dumbledore had lots of things saved that could be really helpful for us.”

“Exactly,” said Hermione as they walked up the way to Number Four. “So, is it agreed that we’ll return to Hogwarts this year?”

“Agreed,” said Harry and Ron, in a mock toast. “To Hogwarts.”

“Let’s not start that again,” replied Hermione with a chuckle as they entered the house.

“Harry,” said Aunt Petunia as soon as they had closed the door, making him jump. “Could I have a word?”

“Um...sure,” Harry replied, rather taken aback. Ron and Hermione looked at him inquisitively, to which he merely shrugged and followed his aunt into the sitting room. He sat in the chair opposite the couch, watching his aunt stare absently out the window across from him. “Umm...”

“I’ve not been myself lately,” Petunia said suddenly, not turning around to look at him. “It’s frustrating...you’ve lived here for almost seventeen years...and now you’re leaving.”

“And?” Harry asked after a moment.

“And I’m feeling slightly maternal!” she exclaimed, exasperated. “I don’t know why...we certainly haven’t treated you like royalty and I know you’ll have no love lost when you leave...”

“Maybe it’s because that despite your animosity towards my mother, she was still your sister and you still cared about her even though she was a witch?” Harry suggested. “And since I’m her son, I’m your only link to her.”

Petunia turned around and stared hard at Harry for a few moments, then turned back toward the window.

“We were good friends once, your mother and I,” she said. “When we were growing up, we always used to have slumber parties with each other, and read fantasy stories under the blankets with a flashlight.”

Harry stared on with amazement at the sincerity that his aunt was showing.

“And then the fantasy became reality for her,” sighed Petunia, turning around and sitting down on the couch. “She got to experience what I could only read and dream about.” She let out another sigh and looked up at the ceiling. “I envied her so much. I told myself that it wasn’t fair that she could do magic and I couldn’t. That I was being punished for doing nothing wrong. So I convinced myself that magic was an abnormality, and when I finally married Vernon and told him everything, I told him the same.”

“So that’s why you know so much about my world,” said Harry, causing Petunia to look at him. “You absorbed every bit of information my mom told you about it, so you could know what it was really like.”

“Something like that,” admitted Petunia. “I don’t regret much that has happened in my life. I love Vernon, and I love Dudley.” Harry had to refrain from snorting at the mental image of his aunt hugging her Duddikens. “But one thing I do regret is not making peace with my sister before she passed. No one has ever told you this, but I took her death fairly hard. I told Vernon, of course, that I was ill, but when you lose one of your family, you’re --”

“Never whole again,” said Harry, finishing the sentence for her. “I know how it is, trust me.” Petunia nodded sadly at this.

“I have some of her things,” she said slowly. “Jewelry, mostly. Stuff that Dumbledore recovered from the wreckage of the house. You’re more than welcome to them if you would like.”

Harry’s heart jumped at the prospect of owning something that was his mother’s, but he settled back down and merely smiled.

“You can keep it,” he said with a smile. “Thanks to some good friends, I have enough memories of her and my father for right now. You should be able to keep a piece of her with you as well.”

“Thank you,” said Petunia softly. Sensing the conversation was over, Harry stood. “I’ve told Vernon to be nicer to you and your friends, by the way.”

“I thought as much,” replied Harry with a laugh. “Thank you.”

Petunia nodded at him, and with a slight smile, he left the room.

Harry bit his lower lip in thought as he began to ascend the stairs. Wondering what Ron and Hermione would make of this, he reached the landing just in time to see a long piece of flesh-colored string get pulled under his door. Rolling his eyes, he walked to his room and entered, not surprised at all to see his friends sitting awkwardly in the armchairs, looking for all the world like the cats who just shared the canary.

“Why is it that I’m neither surprised nor angry that you were listening in on that conversation?” he asked in a tone that suggested it was a rhetorical question.

“Er...cuz we’re your friends and you know we’re sneaky and you love us for it?” suggested Ron.

“Something like that,” sighed Harry as he sat down beside them. “I suppose it’ll have saved some time anyway, me not having to repeat everything now.”

“Harry,” said Hermione gently, putting her hand on his arm. “We’re sorry we listened in on that conversation. We didn’t realise it would be so personal, and by the time we found out –”

“You were too interested to stop listening,” finished Harry for her. “I know how that is, and like I said, I’m not angry.”

“Thanks, mate,” said Ron sheepishly. “And that was a right noble thing you did there, letting her keep your mum’s things.”

“It’s true though,” replied Harry, standing up and walking over to his dresser. “I don’t need to be greedy...I already have more of my parents than I ever thought possible when I was ten.” He pulled out the photo album Hagrid had given him at the end of his first year and presented it to them. “I’ve never shared this with anyone before,” he said, watching as Hermione took the book from him with intrigue.

“Oh, Harry,” she said softly as she opened the album, Ron sliding his chair next to hers so he could get a better look.

“Those photos are the only thing that kept me going through most of my summers here,” said Harry honestly.

“Can I borrow this one?” asked Hermione, pointing at one of the photos in the album. Harry walked around behind her chair to get a better look, and saw that it was the photo he had added himself after his second year in which he, Ron, and Hermione were all standing around with each other, smiling. “I want to get it copied.”

“Sure,” replied Harry, watching as Hermione slid the photo out. “Just don’t lose it, I’m rather keen on that one.”

Ron and Hermione each looked up at him with a smile, and before Harry could say another word, he was enveloped in her arms, Ron watching and grinning all the time.

=====

“Are you sure you’ve packed everything?” asked Hermione for what Harry believed was the eighth time.

“I’m sure,” replied Harry, looking around at his now barren room. “I don’t think I remember ever seeing the room this empty.”

“Well if you forget something, I’m sure we can get your aunt to mail it to you,” said Ron, packing his own things away. “She doesn’t seem all that bad, you know.”

“She wasn’t always this nice,” commented Harry. “After all, she was the one who established the first rule of a quiet life with the Dursleys. No questions,” he added when Ron and Hermione looked at him with confused expressions.

“Well...at least you’ll have a couple good memories from here,” commented Hermione as she shrunk the cases that held Harry’s possessions so that they would fit in one suitcase.

“I suppose,” replied Harry as the doorbell sounded downstairs. “That’ll be McGonagal.”

“Are we all packed then?” asked Hermione.

“Yes,” sighed both Ron and Harry simultaneously.

“Well excuse me for wanting to be sure,” she replied hotly. Ron rolled his eyes at Harry who gave a smirk in response.

The three of them grabbed their belongings and left the room, Hermione leading the way. As Harry was about to leave, he took one last glance at the room he had lived in, and giving a small sigh, closed the door.

They saw McGonagal waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs, none of the Dursleys in sight.

“Mister Weasley, Miss Granger,” she said, not wasting any time. “You will be able to apparate to the Burrow once you leave the house. We will use the backyard so as not to attract attention. Please do not waste any time. Potter, I will side-along you.”

“Alright,” said Harry, following his friends through the kitchen and out of the house to the yard in back.

“See you in a minute then, mate,” said Ron, smiling once at Harry before disapparating. Hermione gave him a nod and did likewise.

“Are you ready then, Potter?” asked McGonagal, closing the back door.

“As ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose,” he replied.

“Alright then,” she said, taking his arm with her hand. “One...two...”

In the split second before McGonagal said three, Harry looked back at the house he had been forced to call home his entire life. He had just enough time to see his aunt staring at him from the window that had been his before he felt the all-too familiar compression and was gone.

---------------

And that ladies and gentlemen, is chapter two.

I realise it’s been two weeks since I updated, and I’m sorry about that. Anemia aside, the truth is it’s been hard to write. I haven’t gotten back into the flow of it nearly as easily as I’d hoped, and hopefully I’ll be able to overcome that in weeks to come.

That, and I blew out the engine in my car. I reserve the right to claim shenanigans on that one.

As always, let me know what you thought! I’m not sure how much storyline I’m going to fit into next chapter...but Bill and Fleur’s wedding will either be next, or in two chapters. Gotta figure that one out still. Take care!

3. Words of Wisdom

I’m glad to see that you all are pleased with this story so far. It does one’s heart good (and in my case, my heart needs a lotta good).

I know I’ve been replying to every review so far, but that’s about to end. The fact is it’s tiring and takes a lot of time to give a thoughtful response to everyone, so from here on out I’m only going to reply to signed reviews. My logic is that the unsigned reviews don’t get the e-mail alert telling them I’ve replied, so odds are they won’t get read anyway. If you want to tell me something or want questions answered, become a member! ;)

Oh and I know some of you won’t care for some parts of this chapter. I understand. Believe me. But at this time they are necessarily evils. Please understand that.

Enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 3: Words of Wisdom

Harry stumbled as he felt his feet hit the ground, but managed to keep himself standing. Brushing himself off, he looked around the backyard of the Burrow that was, at the moment, completely empty.

“I thought they were having the wedding here,” he said, looking at McGonagal.

“They are,” said Ron, coming up from behind him. “We’re wizards, Harry. It’s not like it takes us a week to set up a wedding.”

“Oh...I guess not,” replied Harry.

“I have business to attend to,” stated McGonagal. “We are still using the Burrow as headquarters for the Order, so you will probably see many familiar faces coming and going during your stay here.”

“Thanks for everything,” said Hermione, joining them.

“I may not see you three again for some time,” said McGonagal. “If you are planning to return to Hogwarts this year –”

“We are,” interrupted Harry.

“And I am glad to hear that,” she continued. “Then you will proceed to King’s Cross on September the 1st, just as you normally would have.”

“Why are we going with the rest of the students?” asked Ron.

“Because it will help to create the illusion that you are just that – students,” explained McGonagal.

“And what if we’re away trying to find a...horcrux,” said Harry, lowering his voice on the last word.

“Then you will do what you have to do to get there,” replied McGonagal. “But I would advise trying to be at the station with everyone else. It may help more down the road than you think.”

“Surely you don’t think that something might happen at the station?” asked Hermione.

“We will have more than enough protection to make sure that anything that might happen could be easily contained, but that doesn’t mean that spies won’t be there watching,” replied McGonagal.

“Spies?” asked Harry.

“Yes,” replied McGonagal. “We have good reason to believe that Peter Pettigrew will be there as a rat, along with others.”

“Who’s your source?” inquired Harry.

“Mundungus Fletcher has some low-level contacts among the death eaters,” she answered. “Ones who owe him favors.”

“And you trust him?” asked Harry.

“I trust everyone in the Order,” replied McGonagal.

“Snape was in the Order,” retorted Harry.

“Harry!” exclaimed Hermione.

“He makes a valid point, Miss Granger,” said McGonagal. “But Mundungus is not a spy, he is merely an informant. A job much safer and much less prone to risk, if I may say so myself.”

“Alright,” acquiesced Harry. “Let me know what else he says, will you?”

“I will inform you of any news we hear,” said McGonagal. “Now then, I must be off.” And without another word she disapparated.

“Wonder why they’re spying on the Express in the first place,” commented Ron after a moment.

“What do you mean?” asked Harry, turning to look at him.

“Well, they can’t know that we might not be there,” said Ron. “So they must have a different reason for it.”

“They probably want to know who’s going back this year,” said Hermione, as the three of them began walking towards the Burrow.

“Why?” asked Harry. “What advantage does it give them?”

“Well,” said Hermione as they entered the house, which was surprisingly empty. “Think about it. One of Voldemort’s most powerful weapons is the way he instills fear in everyone. Imagine how scared people will be if he starts attacking students who stayed home.”

“Yeah that’d be something,” commented Ron. “First they attacked Hogwarts. So the parents took their kids out of school to protect them. Then they get attacked anyway.”

“Exactly,” said Hermione. “Everyone would be terrified.”

“Like there’s no safe place to hide,” said Harry as they entered Ron’s room. “People wouldn’t know what to do.”

“Do you think we should tell someone about that?” asked Ron. “Someone in the Order, I mean.”

“Might be a good idea,” said Harry. “I need to start making good connections with the Order anyway.”

“You’ll have the opportunity tomorrow night, if you want,” said Hermione sitting down on Ron’s bed. “There’s a meeting.”

“Really?” asked Harry with a smile. “Good.”

“You seem unusually happy about that,” commented Ron, sitting on his dresser. “Any particular reason?”

“I’ve been doing some thinking,” said Harry, looking at them both. “And I’m going to put forth that they let us join.”

“They’ll never have it,” said Ron, before Hermione could open her mouth. “I heard Bill talking about it to Fleur a few days ago because she wants in. You can’t have more than two objections or they won’t even consider it.”

“So?” asked Harry. “Who would vote against it?”

“Well you can be sure that Molly will be one of them,” said Hermione. “However now that Snape isn’t around...finding more than two objections might be tough.”

“I don’t see how they could keep us out,” shrugged Harry. “McGonagal has already said that I’d be a member unofficially, and you two are both of age. The only objection anyone could have is that they don’t want you in danger, but seeing how you’re both the main target’s best friends –”

“We’re already in unspeakable danger as it is,” finished Hermione with a sigh.

“Er...yeah,” said Harry, his momentum deflated.

“I’m for it,” said Ron, jumping off the dresser. “Besides, it’d save the time of you having to relay all the important details to us, mate.”

“That’s what I was thinking,” agreed Harry. “So Hermione? What do you think?”

“Of course I’ll join,” she said, though Harry noted that her enthusiasm didn’t quite meet her eyes.

“Great,” he answered, making a mental note to talk to her in private later. “Hey, by the way, where was everyone when we got here?”

“Out shopping, probably,” said Ron, looking out his window. “Ever since Fleur’s monologue after Bill got attacked, Mum’s been trying to treat her like gold.”

“Finally warmed up to her, eh?” asked Harry with a chuckle.

“Something like that,” replied Ron, still gazing out the window. “She’s been pampering the girl non-stop. I kinda feel sorry for her.”

“I bet Ginny’s none-too-pleased about that,” commented Hermione. At the mention of Ginny, Harry’s heart sank slightly.

“She’s around then?” he asked.

“She lives here, mate. Of course she’s around,” said Ron, his gaze now fixed on a small speck moving about in the distance above the trees behind the Burrow. “Luna’s out again.”

“Luna?” asked Hermione, getting up and moving to the window. “Where?”

“There,” answered Ron, pointing at the tiny dot which was now moving right to left above the tree line. “She’s been out flying every day since we got back.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” asked Hermione in an incredulous tone. “I mean...she was with us at the Department of Mysteries. I’m sure that she’s almost as high up on Voldemort’s personal vendetta list as we are.”

“Doesn’t really care, that one,” said Ron offhandedly. “She never has, I suppose.”

“She does,” commented Harry from behind them. “She just hides it really well.”

“How would you know?” asked Ron, turning around. Harry shrugged.

“I just get the feeling that inside she’s really affected by the way people treat her,” he said. “I don’t think she has a real true friend at Hogwarts.”

“We should make her feel more at home this year then,” said Hermione. “After all, she has been really nice to us in the past.”

“This coming from the girl who thinks that the Quibbler is just as bad, if not worse than the Prophet?” asked Ron.

“I certainly don’t think that way anymore,” retorted Hermione. “I just think that perhaps...well, maybe they should get new sources of information.”

“Can’t argue with that one,” said Harry as a thud sounded on one of the floors below them, followed by the loud tones of Molly Weasley. “Sounds like they’re home.”

“We should probably let them know we’re here,” said Ron, walking towards his door. “Mum’ll want to throw a fit over you and everything, mate.”

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea,” agreed Hermione, following him.

“You coming Harry?” asked Ron when he saw him still staring out the window at Luna.

“Is she coming to the wedding?” he asked, not turning away.

“Luna?” asked Ron. Harry nodded. “Dunno. It’d be a shame not to have her come along, she lives so close by and would really spice up the reception.”

“We’ll ask your Mum,” said Harry, turning towards them.

The three of them descended the stairs to the sound of Molly arguing with Fleur.

“– and I don’t know how you can possibly say that orange isn’t a good color,” said Molly rather strongly.

The three of them stopped at the second landing so they could listen without being detected.

“Eet goes ‘orrible with my Maid of Honor’s ‘air,” replied Fleur in her airy voice. “She eez a brunette! Orange and brown. Hah! This eez not ‘Alloween. Eet eez my wedding.”

“I tend to agree with her.”

Harry froze.

“Ginny,” he whispered.

“Huh?” Ron asked, causing Harry to jump. “You alright mate?”

“Yeah,” replied Harry, breathing hard. “Just...kinda forgot you both were there for a second.”

“What was it you said about Ginny?” asked Hermione.

“Oh...er...nothing.”

“Oh come off it mate,” whispered Ron turning back around. “You can’t possibly think that she holds that breakup against you.”

“I don’t know what to think,” replied Harry honestly. Shaking his head, Ron stuck his head over the railing to listen in again.

“But pink is so cliche,” argued Molly.

“It is not,” replied Ginny. “And I will have you know that I look quite good in pink.”

“Or so Neville said about a hundred times after the Yule Ball,” sniggered Ron, only to silence when he saw the look on Harry’s face. “Sorry.”

“I agree,” they heard Fleur say. There was a momentary silence which Harry assumed was the shock from the two Weasleys at having Fleur agree with Ginny about something. “Eet goes well with your structure. Although I theenk that light blue might be better.”

“Now there’s a nice color,” said Molly.

“Per’aps we should go with zat then,” said Fleur. “After all, if eet eezn’t good, then we can change eet.”

“The benefits of magic,” sighed Molly happily. “I don’t know how the muggles live without it.”

“I think we’ve eavesdropped enough,” said Hermione softly. “C’mon then.”

Although Ron protested slightly, the three of them made their way down the stairs to the ground floor and announced their presence.

“Hi Mum,” said Ron halfheartedly.

“Hello Harry!” exclaimed Molly completely ignoring her son and rushing over to crush Harry in a hug. “How were your relatives? Not too dreadful I hope?”

“Surprisingly nice,” gasped Harry when she let go.

“Well that’s good to hear,” she said. “Welcome back you two.”

“Thanks Mrs. Weasley,” replied Hermione.

“Ah! ‘Ermione!” exclaimed Fleur walking over to her and giving her a hug. “I was ‘oping I could ask you a favor.”

Harry and Ron had to suppress laughter at the look of incredulity on Hermione’s face at this behavior.

“Erm...what is it?” she asked tentatively.

“Ze father of one of my bridesmaids passed away two days ago,” said Fleur solemnly. “She and her family are taking eet very hard, so I told ‘er in no uncertain terms to stay at ‘ome with them, where she eez needed ze most.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that,” replied Hermione with what Harry thought was astounding sincerity.

“Thank you,” said Fleur. “Anyway, I know zat you are a very good friend of ze entire Weasley family, and a very good friend of ‘Arry to whom I still owe so much for saving my sister. I was ‘oping zat per’aps you would like to fill the place as a bridesmaid.”

“M-me?” squeaked Hermione. “But...I have no clue what to do –”

“It’s easy,” said Ginny, the first words she had spoken since Harry, Ron, and Hermione had come down. “You just walk up the aisle with some flowers, look pretty for the boys, and stand next to the bride while she’s getting married.”

“...that’s it?” asked Hermione skeptically.

“Zat eez eet,” replied Fleur.

“Well...I suppose it couldn’t hurt –”

“Oh thank you!” exclaimed Fleur, wrapping her in another hug and kissing the air next to her cheeks. “Come, we must get you fitted. Ze dresses have already been ordered, after all.”

“Um...okay,” said Hermione, looking back at Harry and Ron pleadingly as Fleur grabbed her by the hand and led her from the room.

“I’m going to go help,” said Molly. “Merlin knows I don’t want to leave those two alone for a prolonged amount of time. There are some cookies in the kitchen if you want any, I baked them last night.” And without another word she too left the room.

“Well...erm,” stuttered Ron, looking back and forth between Harry and Ginny who were pointedly not looking at each other. “I think I’m going to go have a couple of those cookies.”

This caused both Harry and Ginny to turn and stare at him.

“Er...be back in a few,” he said, and promptly walked as fast as he could from the room. Harry made a mental note to himself to give Ron a very sarcastic ‘thank you’ as soon as they were alone.

“Er...” started Harry, but Ginny cut him off.

“Come on,” she said, motioning to the empty space on the couch next to her. “Might as well get this over with.”

Harry reluctantly nodded and sat down next to her, feeling very uncomfortable.

“Look,” she said. “I know that nothing I can say will change your mind about us...and I accept that.”

“You do?” asked Harry, his heart lifting slightly.

“I do,” nodded Ginny. “Doesn’t mean that I like it...but I accept it.”

“I suppose that’s a start,” said Harry with a half-hearted smile.

“I’m going back to Hogwarts this year,” continued Ginny. “Mum didn’t want to let me, of course, but I basically put my foot down on this one.”

“I imagine you can be just as scary as she can if you want to be,” joked Harry.

“Weasley women,” said Ginny with a wink. “Beware.” They both shared a laugh at that. “But all joking aside, I think you should also come back.”

“I am,” replied Harry. “So are Ron and Hermione.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” said Ginny. “So I hope you’ll let the people who want to help you, help you.”

“Like you?” asked Harry.

“And Luna. And Neville,” replied Ginny. “And anyone else who wants to help.”

“Ginny, I’ve already put you guys in enough danger –”

“I’m not talking about outside of the castle,” she interrupted. “To be brutally honest...I don’t know if I could go through another Department of Mysteries.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” said Harry, relaxing.

“Why?”

“Because it means that despite all the horrors you’ve seen, you’re still human,” he replied.

“And what about you?” asked Ginny, looking into his eyes. “What about the horrors you’ve seen?”

“It scares the hell out of me,” replied Harry truthfully. “You want to hear it from my point of view?” Ginny nodded. “What I’m about to tell you doesn’t leave this room, understood?”

“Of course...but even from the Order?”

“Even from the Order,” answered Harry. “Only one person in it knows about this anyway.”

“Go ahead,” said Ginny.

“I am the one who has to kill him,” he said, lowering his voice to a whisper. “The prophecy that broke in the Department of Mysteries said it.”

“The prophecy broke –”

“The prophecy was told to Dumbledore, and he told me the night we got back,” continued Harry. “Now, granted it is possible that someone else could kill Voldemort, but I will have to face him before the end. And one of us will die.”

“Oh my god,” she whispered.

“So you see I’m in a bit of a predicament,” said Harry, gesturing with his hands. “Voldemort has decades of knowledge and experience on me. Even if I can make him vulnerable, I still have to deal him a mortal blow.”

“How can you make him vulnerable?” asked Ginny.

“That story is too long and too secretive to explain right now,” he said. “Some other time...maybe when we’re back at Hogwarts.”

“Alright,” nodded Ginny.

“The point is that I’m scared out of my mind,” said Harry. “But it’s what I’ve got to do.”

“Why?” asked Ginny.

“Because those who have the courage must defend those who haven’t the strength or ability to defend themselves,” replied Harry with a weak smile.

“You sounded just like Dumbledore then,” said Ginny. Harry gave a weak chuckle at that.

“I suppose he rubbed off on me a bit.”

“That’s not a bad thing,” sighed Ginny. “But getting back to what I was saying earlier, you have to let people help you. I don’t know if I’d have the heart to stare down You-Know-Who like you do, but I still want to help you as much as I can while we’re safe.”

“Then I’ll let you,” replied Harry with a slight smile.

“Good,” said Ginny, standing up. She was about to walk away but Harry caught her hand.

“Ginny,” he said softly, standing up next to her. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” she sighed. “And to be honest...I don’t know if we would’ve lasted anyway, me being a little too scared to stand up with you and all.”

Harry smiled and gave her a light kiss on the forehead before turning away to go find Ron. Had he been paying attention, he might’ve seen the slight conspirational smirk Ginny was wearing before she headed up the stairs to her room.

Harry found Ron in the kitchen, staring off into the distance, without a cookie in sight.

“Not hungry?” asked Harry as he sat down next to Ron. “Or did you eat them all?”

“Ate ‘em all,” replied Ron, not looking at him. “They were bloody great.”

“You’re a right foul git, you know that?” asked Harry.

“For leaving you alone with my sister?” countered Ron, turning to face him. “Eh, I suppose it was a bit of an arse thing to do.”

“You suppose right,” replied Harry. “Even though everything worked out.”

“I figured it would,” said Ron. “Ginny was talking non-stop about having that conversation with you for about a week before Hermione and I came over.”

“Really?” asked Harry curiously.

“Yeah,” replied Ron, looking back out the window again. “Why?”

“She basically said that she agreed with me for breaking up with her,” said Harry. “Why would she look forward to something like that?”

“Dunno,” replied Ron. “Women’s minds work in strange ways, after all.”

“I s’pose you’re right,” said Harry. “Hey how’s Bill doing anyway?”

“He was a right sight for a few days after we got back,” said Ron. “Still’s got scars all over his face...but they make him look kinda wicked...or more wicked than he already was, at the least.”

“So who’s going to be the groomsmen?” asked Harry.

“Charlie’s going to be his best man,” replied Ron. “Me, Fred, and George are also going to be up there.”

“That oughta be good,” said Harry.

“He wants you to be up there too,” said Ron as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“Me?” asked Harry, scrunching up his eyebrows. “Why?”

“Reckons you saved his life, by coming back when you did,” replied Ron.

“That’s a load of bollocks,” said Harry. “The only reason they left when they did was because of Dumbledore –”

“I know, but he sees it the way he wants to see it,” interrupted Ron. “And you’ve always been a good friend. He wants you up there with the rest of the family.”

“Well there’s no way I’ll say no,” said Harry. “It’s just all rather...sudden, if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I know,” replied Ron. “But I reckon everything will work it. It usually does.”

“I suppose,” said Harry, just as Hermione walked into the room, looking rather flushed. “You alright?” he asked her as she sat down next to him.

“I’ll be fine,” she replied. “It’s just...they showed me pictures of the dresses...”

“And?” asked Ron when she trailed off.

“Well I’m sort of a self-conscious person,” explained Hermione. “I just...I dunno, I’m a bit nervous, I guess.”

“You have nothing to worry about,” comforted Harry, putting an arm around her shoulders. “After all, I’m sure you’ll look even better than you did at the Yule Ball all those years ago.”

“I looked terrible back then,” said Hermione, shaking her head.

“Then you were the only one who thought so,” retorted Ron. “Even Krum couldn’t keep his hands off you.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?” asked Hermione.

“Nothing,” said Ron, looking away. “I’m going to go for a walk.” And without another word he stood up and walked out the back door.

“Did I miss something?” asked Harry, looking between the door and Hermione.

“I doubt it,” she sighed. “He’s still jealous about that, I suppose.”

“You can’t really blame him, can you?” asked Harry. Hermione raised an eyebrow at him in response. “Well, I think for him the Yule Ball was the first time he ever noticed you as more than a...well, just a bookish friend.”

“Hah,” laughed Hermione. “And what about you?”

“What about me?” asked Harry.

“Have you ever noticed that I’m a girl?”

“Of course,” laughed Harry. “No male would ever say that expulsion was worse than death.”

“You two are never going to let me live that down, are you?” said Hermione rolling her eyes.

“Probably not,” answered Harry with a grin.

“But seriously, have you ever thought...”

“Have I ever thought what?” asked Harry.

“Have you ever thought I was...you know...attractive?” Harry stared at her thoughtfully for a moment.

“What’s bringing this on?” he asked.

“Just my self-consciousness, I suppose,” answered Hermione. Harry thought for a second before standing up and placing a hand on her shoulder.

“You’ve always been attractive,” he said. “Both inside and out.”

And even though his back was to Hermione as he walked out of the room, he thought he probably could have sensed her smile from a hundred meters away.

---------------

This marks the end of the setup chapters. From here on out, the action begins.

Next week (or two) you can look forward to the Order meeting and the wedding, along with the departure for Godric’s Hollow. Also, you can expect the return of lots of familiar faces, including not one, but two werewolves. ;)

4. The Golden Day of Peace

A couple of things before we begin this week.

First off, I would like to thank everyone. The night after I posted Chapter 3, I decided to tally up the total number of reviews I have ever received for all of my stories, and the number came out to 1,347. Which is about 500 more than I thought it was going to be. I’m flattered to be one of the few authors who can claim to have over 1,000 reviews for their profile. There aren’t many, and I’d like to personally thank each and every one of you who have ever reviewed for helping me achieve that incredible mark. Now, of course I’m well short of Amynoelle and Heaven’s 10,000 and-some-odd (which is not only a number that is increasing, but a number that will NEVER be equaled), but hopefully one day I’ll have a story break the four-digit mark on it’s own (hint hint?). Thank you all.

Second, I have a few words regarding Ginny. I responded to MOST of you who had comments about her, but for those of you who didn’t here’s what I have to say. Ginny has an agenda, that much I’ll give you. However, her agenda is something that’s still in the planning, so even I don’t know entirely where I’m going to with it. I will say, though, that it is not malicious. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I’m not sure how I could play it out. That will come with time.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 4: The Golden Day of Peace

“I’m telling you, I won’t have it!”

Harry and Hermione stared on in shock at the first full-fledged shouting match they had ever seen between Ron and his mother.

“Well seeing as how I’m of age, you don’t get much say, do you?” bellowed Ron.

“You live under my roof, Ronald Weasley. And therefore you follow my rules! And you are not joining the Order!”

“So maybe I won’t stay here!” retorted Ron. “Is that what you want Mum? You want me to leave just like Percy did because you’re too self-righteous to realise that this isn’t your war? That it’s our war?”

Despite the fact that Harry knew Ron had made a low blow by mentioning Percy, he had to admit that his best friend had a point.

“Ron,” said Molly softly. “This isn’t a stupid political view. This is your life we’re talking about –”

“That’s right!” exclaimed Ron. “My life. Not yours.”

“Maybe we should let them have some privacy,” whispered Hermione to Harry. He nodded wordlessly and the two of them excused themselves from the kitchen without saying a word.

“Eez everything alright?” asked Fleur standing on the stairs as Harry and Hermione entered the sitting room. “I ‘eard some commotion.”

“Nothing too serious,” replied Harry, sitting on the sofa. “We were having lunch and Ron thought it might be a good idea to tell his Mum that we plan on joining the Order.”

Fleur let out a hearty laugh and tossed her hair behind her haid.

“I can’t imagine that was too smart of ‘im,” she said with a smile. “But, I theenk that per’aps eet might be a good idea.”

“What makes you say that?” asked Hermione, sitting next to Harry.

“Well, this eez a war,” said Fleur pointedly. “And you three are een the very center of eet.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” muttered Harry.

“I am ‘oping to join tonight as well,” continued Fleur. “I ‘ope that you three will also be admitted.”

“Thanks,” said Harry, smiling.

“Oh, ‘Ermione?” asked Fleur. Hermione cocked her head to acknowledge that she was listening. “Ze dresses arrived about ten minutes ago. “I was ‘oping you could try one on so that we could size eet for you.”

“Oh...I suppose,” replied Hermione, looking as though this was one of the last things she wanted to do at the moment.

“Excellent!” exclaimed Fleur with a magnificent smile.

Hermione looked over at Harry with a look as if to say, ‘help me,’ but said nothing and followed Fleur wordlessly from the room. Just as she was out of sight, Ron entered looked very flustered.

“Got everything worked out?” asked Harry.

“Sort of,” replied Ron, running his hand through his hair. “Dunno how it’ll turn out though. Where’s Hermione?”

“Off trying out her dress with Fleur,” answered Harry.

“She must be thrilled about that,” said Ron with a slight chuckle.

“Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?” asked Harry with a grin.

“Only a little,” replied Ron as the front door opened and Bill walked inside. “Hey! It’s the man of the hour. Where’ve you been?”

“Out,” replied Bill, not offering any further explanation. “Have you seen my fiancee?”

“She’s making Hermione try on her dress,” said Ron.

“Oh,” said Bill, closing the door. “Well if you see her before I do, could you tell her that there’s an issue with the flower delivery so they won’t arrive until an hour before the wedding?”

“Sure thing,” replied Ron. “Lucky we can do magic...you’d be in a right pickle otherwise.”

“Tell me about it,” said Bill sitting next to Harry. “Oh, hey mate. Didn’t see you there.”

“You’re the first person in a decade not to notice me and my scar,” laughed Harry.

“Yes, well, I wanted to ask you something,” said Bill, turning serious.

“I already told him,” said Ron offhandedly. “He said yes.”

“Really?” asked Bill. “You’ll stand up for me?”

“I’d be glad to,” replied Harry. “Though I’m not sure how much good I’ll be.”

“Don’t worry about it,” said Bill, clapping him on the shoulder. “It means a lot to both Fleur and me. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” replied Harry, as Hermione came into the room looking slightly pinker than she had when she left.

“Ah good, does that mean I can see Fleur now?” he asked her, getting up.

Hermione nodded and took Bill’s vacated spot next to Harry after he bid them goodbye and went into the next room.

“What’s wrong this time?” asked Ron.

“Not that you would care, but I think I look horrible,” said Hermione.

“What?” asked Harry and Ron at the same time. “You must be kidding,” said Harry.

“No,” she sighed. “It makes me look two stones overweight.”

“Well I’m sure you’re ruddy mental,” said Ron. “Do you think Fleur would want less than perfection for her wedding? Do you think that if you didn’t look perfect in that dress you would be up there?”

“Two years ago, I might’ve agreed with you,” replied Hermione. “But as much as I hate to say it, Fleur’s changed.”

“Yeah, well,” said Ron scoffing. “I’m going to go off and find Mum and see if I can’t talk some sense into her.”

“Good luck,” said Harry as Ron left the room, shrugging. “I’m sure you look gorgeous,” he added in an undertone once there were no Weasleys within earshot.

“Thanks, but I’m sure you’re wrong,” replied Hermione.

“Well, we’ll see in two days, won’t we?” he asked with a grin.

“I suppose,” she replied. “I hear you’re going to be a groomsman?”

“I guess so,” answered Harry. “Though I’m a bit nervous.”

“And you think I’m not?” asked Hermione. Harry looked at her and smiled sheepishly.

“I guess so,” he replied.

“Well come on,” said Hermione, standing up. “We’ve got work to do.”

“What work?” asked Harry.

“Well, we’re going to have to convince the Order that we’re supposed to be in it,” she replied. “We should probably start thinking about what we’re going to say.

Harry couldn’t help but chuckle to himself at how Hermione always seemed to think of everything as he got off the couch and followed her up the stairs.

=====

Harry gazed out Ron’s window at the setting sun from his seat on the bed and checked his watch.

“Seven already...” he muttered to himself.

“Hmm?” asked Hermione, working at Ron’s desk.

“Just noting the time,” said Harry with a sigh, looking down at his nearly blank parchment. “Maybe I’ll just wing it.”

“Dunno if that’s a good idea, mate,” said Ron from the floor. He had joined them shortly after they had begun working, and had been there since. “You know Mum...she’ll probably try and keep you out, which means she’ll have thought her argument through.”

“I don’t know why,” shrugged Hermione, scribbling something down. “I mean, given the prophecy –”

“Mrs. Weasley doesn’t know the prophecy,” interrupted Harry. “And neither do the rest of the Order. And it needs to stay that way,” he added, as both Ron and Hermione turned and looked at him.

“Harry, maybe the Order might be able to help out more if they knew...”

“I can’t risk that,” he replied. “We have a very rare and precious thing, and that’s knowledge over Voldemort. What could the Order give me? A little bit extra training on the rare moments I’m not out hunting for horcruxes or buried in books looking for information about horcruxes? It’s not a sensible tradeoff.”

“I suppose not,” sighed Hermione.

“What is it?” asked Harry, sensing more to the problem.

“It’s nothing, really,” she replied. “Come on, the meeting starts soon. We should be there early.”

“Why?” asked Ron as Hermione rolled up her parchment.

“So we can make it clear to everyone that shows up that we’re serious,” she answered. “It’ll make a good impression.”

“Alright, alright, we’re coming,” said Ron, struggling to get up off the floor.

The three of them made their way downstairs and into the kitchen, which was occupied solely by Lupin.

“Hey,” he said with a smile, sipping on what looked to be a mug of hot tea. “I had a feeling I might run into you three tonight.”

“Professor Lupin,” said Hermione brightly, as he shook hands with Ron and Harry.

“Now then, Hermione,” he said, holding out his hand to her. “You know quite well that I’m not your teacher anymore. Feel free to call me Remus.”

“Remus,” she said after a moment, and shook his hand.

“Now then, I would figure that you three are down here at this time of day for a very specific reason, but as Lily’s mother always told James and Sirius, ‘to assume is to make an ass out of you and me.’”

“My grandmum told you that?” asked Harry with intrigue.

“She told James and Sirius that,” smiled Remus. “It’s an old muggle saying, or so she said. They were always doing this and that...I believe she said it on more than one occasion when James was talking about Lily in his younger years.”

There was a silence after Remus said this...it was obvious to Ron and Hermione that Harry was thinking about his parents while Remus was reminiscing about his school days.

“So,” said Remus after a moment. “You’re here to join the Order?”

“Yeah,” said Harry, pulling up a seat next to him. “You don’t think there’ll be any problems, do you?”

“I doubt it,” said Remus, taking a long sip of his tea. “Molly probably won’t be too pleased –”

“We’ve already accounted for that,” interrupted Ron, obviously not wishing to have to discuss his mother further.

“Well then I think you’ll be fine,” replied Remus with a smile. “After all, they have no reason to stop you.”

“Glad to hear you say that,” said Harry.

The four of them made small talk for half an hour while the kitchen began to fill with more members, many of whom greeted Harry, Ron, and Hermione and said they supported their decision. Molly was one of the last to enter and gave them all a scathing look, but said nothing.

“Quiet please,” said McGonagal, entering the room and closing the door behind her. “Are we ready to begin?”

There were no objections so she pressed on.

“As most of you know, there is one present tonight who wishes to be inducted –”

Ron chose this moment to clear his throat rather loudly, which caused everyone in the room to turn and look at him. Harry noticed that Remus and Tonks were trying very hard to suppress laughter.

“Er...” said McGonagal, noticing Harry, Ron, and Hermione sitting amongst everyone else. “Apparently there are four present who wish to join...so if there are no objections, we’ll begin the process.”

Again there were no objections.

“The process is simple,” she said. “I will call out each person, who will then stand. If there are no initial objections, that person will be admitted without reservation. If the decision is not unanimous, a brief period will be allowed for verbal argument by the one seeking admission. After that, another vote will be taken, and if there are no objections, entrance will be granted. Are these terms acceptable?”

Harry paled. He looked nervously at Ron and Hermione who were also staring unflinchingly at McGonagal.

“I thought you said we could have two objections,” whispered Harry to Ron.

“I did,” he replied. “They must’ve changed something.”


“Are these terms acceptable?” repeated McGonagal. Harry looked around the room and saw everyone was staring at the three of them. Sighing, he nodded, and Ron and Hermione quickly followed suit. Harry saw Fleur do the same a little ways off.

“Very well. Fleur Delacour, please rise,” said McGonagal. Fleur stood from her seat next to Bill and remained motionless as there was a slight murmur from the assembly. “Objections?”

No one spoke.

“Very well then, Fleur Delacour shall be inducted at the conclusion of the admission process,” continued McGonagal. “Hermione Granger, please rise.”

Harry noticed that Hermione looked slightly nervous at being the first of them to be called. She stood slowly, and he gave her hand a quick squeeze for reassurance.

“Objections?”

Harry was mentally waiting for someone to speak...namely Molly...but the silence that followed McGonagal’s question was never broken, and Hermione smiled slightly.

“Very well then, Miss Granger, you may sit. Ronald Weasley, please stand.”

“I object.”

The entire room turned and faced Molly Weasley, and Harry swore he could see Ron roll his eyes as he stood.

“Anyone else?” asked McGonagal. When no one spoke, she continued, “Mister Weasley, you may have a few minutes to convince those who have objected.”

Ron nodded and took a deep breath before turning around to face his mother, who was standing next to the back door with her arms crossed.

“We already had this argument, Mum,” he said softly. “I thought we had settled this.”

“We might have left the argument on peaceful terms,” replied Molly, not uncrossing her arms. “But that doesn’t mean I approve.”

Harry could see the cogs in Ron’s mind turning as he tried to think of a way around his mother’s objection. Harry had almost thought Ron had stopped breathing until he sighed and nodded slightly.

“Fine,” he said resignedly. “If you’re that set on stopping me, I suppose there’s nothing I can do. It pains me though, that you don’t trust or respect your youngest son enough to let him make his own decisions.” And without another word, he sat down, looking (in Harry’s opinion) surprisingly smug.

“Alright,” said McGonagal after a moment. “Any...any objections still?”

Everyone in the room turned and looked at Molly, who was apparently lost in thought.

“Molly?” asked McGonagal, after about a minute of silence. Mrs. Weasley looked up at her and sighed.

“Remus, you’ve lost almost everyone you’ve held dear to You-Know-Who,” she said. “What’s your opinion?”

Remus looked quite taken aback to be addressed like this, but shrugged and smiled.

“I think everyone in this room wants what’s best for everyone else,” he said simply. “You want to keep Ron safe, while Ron wants to help Harry and keep him safe. It goes in circles. You just can’t keep everyone you love safe and happy. Merlin knows I don’t want to see Harry in the Order, but I’m not going to stop him from joining because I know that’s what he wants, and, quite frankly, he’ll be a valuable asset. I actually think he would be in more danger not knowing everything.”

Molly looked around at the various members of the Order who were gathered and Harry saw that quite a few of them were nodded their heads slightly in assent. Molly sighed and shook her head sadly.

“I never wanted to see my children grow up,” she said heavily. “What happened to Bill is exactly what I fear...but...I suppose it’s not really my decision to make. I...I have no objection.”

Ron nodded solemnly but Harry swore that his friend was trying really hard to suppress a grin.

“Alright then,” said McGonagal. “Harry Potter, please rise.”

Harry nodded and stood up, not really expecting any resistance after what just happened.

“Objection.”

Harry’s jaw dropped as he turned to his right and stared at Remus.

“I’m kidding,” he said with a laugh. “I’m not that big of an arse.”

“It’s really not the time for jokes,” grumbled Mad-Eye Moody from the front of the room.

“Lighten up, Alastor,” smiled Remus. “We need to keep our sense of humor. As long as we can still laugh, and smile, and remember better days long past, we’ll always have that one advantage on You-Know-Who, who as you all know, can only remember hate and resentment.”

“Sounds like something Dumbledore would’ve said,” muttered Harry.

“It was something Dumbledore said,” replied Remus with a smile. “And it’s just as important as anything else.”

“Well then, if Remus doesn’t have any more extremely tactful comments,” said McGonagal sarcastically, though she was smiling. “May we get on with this?”

“By all means,” replied Remus, bowing his head with a smile.

“Very good. Would the four of you come up here please?”

Harry smiled as he, Ron, Hermione, and Fleur walked to the front of the room and stood before McGonagal.

“Kneel,” she commanded. Harry turned and looked at Ron, who shrugged. Silently, the four of them obeyed. “The Order of the Phoenix’s mission is to defeat the Dark Lord, no matter the cost. Through death, torture, battle, and blood, do you swear to continue on your mission, your own welfare expendable?”

“I swear it,” replied Fleur, which Harry, Ron, and Hermione also quickly said.

“Do you swear never to waver in your loyalty to the Order, and should you be captured, swear never to reveal any information you have learned?”

“I swear it,” they all said at the same time.

“And do you swear to protect the innocent, even at the cost of your own life?”

“I swear it,” they repeated.

“You are to be honest, brave, noble, and true,” said McGonagal. “That is your oath. You would do well not to forget it.”

A golden light glowed around each of them softly for a moment before fading.

“Rise,” said McGonagal with a smile.

The four of stood to applause and they took their seats.

“Well that could’ve been worse,” said Ron as the clapping died down.

“It can always be worse,” replied Hermione with a chuckle.

The rest of the meeting went smoothly. Nothing especially out of the ordinary was reported. Death eater sightings, casualty projections, and a report of future plans on the parts of both the Order and the death eaters were discussed, and before Harry knew it, the meeting was over.

“Next time,” said McGonagal coming up to them as members of the Order began to leave. “Please inform me that you want to join before we start the meeting so I don’t look like a fool.”

“Well we can’t very well join again, can we, Professor?” asked Hermione with a smile.

“I suppose not,” she replied. “For what it’s worth, I’m glad to have you three on board.”

“Thanks,” said Harry with a smile.

“I must be going now,” said McGonagal. “I have business to attend to at the school. Until we meet again.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched as McGonagal turned and left the room.

“Well,” said Ron, stretching his arms above his head. “I’m knackered. I’ll see you guys.” And he too left without a word.

“Well, erm...” said Harry, turning to look at Hermione, but she had turned around and walked out the back door. “Why does no one bother to say goodbye anymore?” he asked himself. Sighing, he followed Ron up the stairs to go to sleep.

=====

“Mum, please quit fussing!” exclaimed Bill. “Go help Fleur or help prepare, but please let me get dressed in peace.”

“Oh alright dear,” said Molly backing away. “I’m just so jittery.”

“And you think I’m not?” asked Bill with a nervous chuckle.

“I suppose you are,” replied Molly with a smile. “Make sure you’re not late.”

“I won’t be Mum,” replied Bill as Mrs. Weasley left the room. “Merlin, she won’t give me a moment’s peace.”

“I imagine it’s probably worse for Fleur,” said Ron from his seat in the corner of the room. “Because Mum has to make her look perfect, heaven-forbid she might make you look bad.”

Bill snorted.

“How do I look?” asked Harry, turning around from the mirror.

“Like Eloise Midgen,” said George, straightening his tie.

“Minus the pimples,” added Fred.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” said Harry, sitting down next to Ron.

“Don’t mind them,” said Charlie, frowning at the twins. “They’re just having a go at you.”

“Did you hear that, o’ brother of mine?” asked Fred with a grin.

“Why I believe our dear brother said we were having a go at Harry,” replied George.

“Us?” asked Fred looking at his twin.

“Nnooo,” replied George in shock.

“Never,” they said in unison.

“Oh put a sock in it you two,” said Bill, tossing one of his dirty ones at them. “You two are as bad as Harry and Hermione.”

“Excuse me?” said Ron and Harry at the same time. Bill, Charlie, Fred, and George all turned to look at them.

“Well it’s true, mate,” said Bill shrugging at Harry. “You should see the way you two talk to each other without talking.”

Personally, Harry didn’t agree and he thought Ron probably agreed with him based on the scowl on his face, but neither of them said anything.

“Alright,” said Bill, turning around. “We about ready, chaps?”

“I think so,” said Charlie. “We just have to wait for the word now.”

“Oh, and if you two do anything funny while we’re up there,” said Bill, pointing his finger at the twins. “Do take care to remember that I work as a curse-breaker for the best bank in the world. So I know a few good ones.”

“Ooh, do share,” said Fred, his face lighting up. “If you tell us any real good ones, we’ll go fifty-fifty with you when we turn it into a product.”

“Oh, go stuff yourself,” replied Bill with a laugh.

“You boys about ready?” asked Arthur, poking his head in the room.

“All set,” said Bill, walking over to his father.

“I’m so proud of you, son,” Mr. Weasley said, hugging Bill. “After all that’s happened...”

“Let’s not talk about that,” interrupted Bill. “Let’s just get on with it.”

“Right then, let’s go lads.”

The six of them all shared a smile and followed Mr. Weasley out to the backyard, where two sections of white chairs had been set up so that the grass made an aisle down the middle of them, with a white arbor at the end of it.

“Who’s going to be the minister?” asked Harry as they walked past the chairs which were mostly filled.

“Well, originally it was going to be Dumbledore,” said Bill. “But...well, you know. So now it’s a Justice of the Peace that’s good friends with Dad at the Ministry. Name’s Thompson.”

Harry nodded at the short, bald man standing under the arbor as they lined up behind Bill, who was the closest to the aisle.

“Almost time, mate,” whispered Ron to Harry. The words had barely left Ron’s mouth when the back door to the Burrow opened and a woman Harry had never seen before walked out in a light blue dress, carrying a bouquet of lilies.

Harry watched intently as another woman he didn’t know came out, followed by another, followed by Ginny.

‘Fleur was right,’ thought Harry. ‘Ginny does look good in light blue.’

She smiled softly at him as she arrived at the front and took her place next to the other bridesmaids. Although Harry wasn’t completely sure, he was confident that the Maid of Honor was the last to come in the procession before the bride, which meant –

“Mate,” whispered Ron, nudging Harry in the ribs. “Look.”

Harry turned and looked at the door to the Burrow, which had just opened to reveal Hermione. He felt his jaw slack slightly, but was coherent enough to keep his mouth closed. She smiled nervously at him and Ron as she walked up to the front and took her spot.

Harry stared at Hermione as though she was a whole new person. Her hair was in long, wavy curls, and the gown, if anything, made her look more like a woman than Harry had ever seen before. It wasn’t until Ron nudged him again in the ribs that he actually noticed that the Justice had already begun the ceremony, and Fleur was standing hand-in-hand with Bill.

“Do you, William, take this woman to be your wife, under the eyes of the powers that be, and through the most sacred bonds of magic?”

“I do,” smiled Bill.

“And do you, Fleur, take this man to be your husband, under the eyes of the powers that be, and through the most sacred bonds of magic?”

“I do,” replied Fleur with a smile.

“Then let it be known to all present, that by the powers vested upon me by the Minister of Magic, I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

=====

“You really spaced out during the ceremony, mate,” said Ron. He and Harry were seated at one of many round tables that were in the backyard now, the chairs and arbor having been removed to make room for the reception that was now going on in full swing.

The Weasleys had rented a band (Fred and George had actually rented the band, refusing to let their parents pay for everything), and an area had been cleared out at the center of the yard for dancing.

“I can’t believe I missed almost all of it,” replied Harry with a chuckle.

“What, were you daydreaming?” asked Ron.

“Something like that,” replied Harry, not really wanting to let on that he had been staring at Hermione.

“Hello,” said Hermione, coming over and having a seat at the table with them, a glass of champagne in hand. “Enjoying yourselves?”

“Yes,” said Harry, watching her intently. “Do you think it’s really a good idea to be drinking after what happened about a week ago?” he asked with a smile.

“It’s the only glass I’m having,” replied Hermione, sipping at it. “Besides, it’s really good.”

“Maybe I’ll go grab a glass for myself then,” said Harry, standing up. “You want one, Ron?”

“Uh, sure,” he replied, looking slightly red. Harry looked at Hermione who shrugged, and he went off to find the refreshments table.

“Hey,” said Ginny, as he found his destination. “Enjoying yourself?”

“I suppose,” shrugged Harry, grabbing two glasses and a bottle of the champagne.

“You’re drinking now?” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Just one glass for me and Ron,” he replied, pouring the drink.

“Mmm,” she said, sipping at a red-colored drink. “Looks like he’s a having a good time.”

“Huh?” asked Harry. Ginny pointed at over at the space in the middle of the yard where Ron and Hermione were clearly dancing to a fairly slow song.

“He’s fancied her for years,” said Ginny off-handedly. “I never thought she liked him though, personally.”

Harry didn’t respond. The beast in his chest was frowning, and slightly sad at seeing his two best friends dancing together.

“You alright?” asked Ginny.

“Huh? Yeah I’m fine,” he replied.

“You wanna dance?” she asked with a smile.

“Sorry, Gin,” replied Harry. “I’m not feeling too well. I think I’m gonna go inside for a bit.”

“Alright,” said Ginny with a shrug. “Don’t miss out on all the fun though.”

Harry nodded and went inside the deserted house, not noticing the slight smile on Ginny’s face as he did so.

The sun was starting to fade before anyone came inside, and it was the last person Harry wanted to face at the moment.

“Where’ve you been?” asked Ron. “I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“In here, I wasn’t feeling to good,” replied Harry.

“Oh...well I just came in to use the bathroom,” said Ron. “You should really go outside, Hermione’s been wondering where you were.”

“Alright,” said Harry getting up, resigned to facing the world. He walked past Ron who looked at him curiously for a moment before heading up to his room, completely passing the bathroom.

“There you are, mate!” exclaimed Fred as Harry got outside. “Been looking all over for you.”

“Why’s that?” asked Harry. Fred smiled as he handed him a folded slip of parchment. “What’s this?”

“Just open it,” replied Fred. Harry shrugged and unfolded the paper, which read:

Gringott’s Official Transaction Receipt

Transfer from Vault #1043 to Vault #687
Amt. 1,000 Galleons

Confirmation Number: A34W-78P

“What’s this?” asked Harry, knowing that 687 was his vault number.

“That’s for the money you gave us after you won the Tri-Wizard Tournament,” replied Fred with a grin. “It’s already been deposited directly into your vault, so you can’t say no. And don’t you dare try to give it back.”

“You didn’t have to do that, you know,” said Harry with a small smile.

“We know,” said George, coming over. “But we wanted to repay you. In our minds we still owe you for that.”

“Well thanks,” replied Harry. “You guys seen Hermione?”

“She’s over there at that table,” pointed Fred.

“Thanks,” said Harry. “I’ll see you guys later.”

“Take it easy, mate,” called out George.

“Hey,” said Harry, sitting down next to Hermione.

“Hi,” she replied. “Where’ve you been?”

“In the house,” said Harry. “I wasn’t feeling to well.”

“I know the feeling,” she mumbled.

“Huh?” asked Harry, not having caught what she said.

“Nothing,” replied Hermione. “Would you like to go for a walk?”

“A walk?” asked Harry, surprised. “Sure.”

Hermione stood up without a word and walked off past where the band was playing, into the woods.

“Hey,” said Harry, jogging to catch up with her. “Slow down.”

“Sorry,” she replied sheepishly. “I’m just a bit pre-occupied.”

“About what?” asked Harry.

“Ron kissed me,” she blurted out.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“He kissed me,” repeated Hermione.

“Erm...” The beast in Harry’s chest let out a disappointed growl and started sulking.

“It was rather bad,” said Hermione. The beast’s ears perked up at this.

“Um...”

“We talked it over and we think it’s better if we stay just friends,” said Hermione. “He felt the same way...said he thought he was kissing Ginny for a moment.”

“Uh...”

“Are you alright, Harry?” asked Hermione, stopping and facing him.

“What? Yeah, I’m just...just kinda taken aback is all.”

“I know,” said Hermione. “Ron and I have been talking about this for a few weeks now.”

“What, your relationship?” asked Harry.

“There is no relationship,” said Hermione with a shrug. “I guess we just needed to sort everything out. I think it’ll be better in the long run.”

“Oh.”

They walked in silence for a while, and by the time they returned to the edge of the woods, night had fallen and everyone was inside the Burrow celebrating.

They walked over to the stone bench near the garden and sat down. Hermione rested her elbows on her knees and gazed up into the starry sky.

“What’s up?” asked Harry.

“Stars,” she replied, not looking away. Harry chuckled and turned to face her.

“You’ve been really distant lately,” he said. “Everything alright?”

Hermione sighed and turned to look at him.

“I don’t know,” she said softly.

“What is it?” asked Harry.

“Harry...” she turned to look at him and he was surprised to see her eyes glistening.

“Come here,” he said, pulling her into an embrace. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m scared,” whispered Hermione.

“Of?” he asked.

“Everything,” she replied. “The world, this war...Voldemort, myself...you.”

“It is a bit scary, isn’t it?” he asked. Hermione nodded. “Why haven’t you said anything before?”

“I didn’t want to,” she replied. “You needed me and –”

“Hermione...if you don’t want to do this...say the word and I promise I won’t hold it against you.”

“I’m not going to say I want out,” she said softly. “I’m just terrified of what might happen to all of us.”

“Hermione...”

“You could die,” she said pointedly. “I could die. Ron could die. Any of us could die just like that, and we can’t even run from it.”

Harry drew in a shaky breath and actually found himself close to tears.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I’m sorry you have to be involved in this. I’m sorry everyone has to be involved in this.”

“Don’t be sorry,” she replied. “It’s the price I get to pay for being your friend. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“We’ll get him, Hermione,” said Harry. “I promise we’ll get him, and nothing will happen to you or Ron.”

“You can’t promise that,” she replied, looking down. “You can’t possibly know that we’ll all live through this. And I...I...”

“What?” he asked, tilting her chin up so he could look at her eyes.

“I don’t know what I would do if I lost you,” she whispered, resting her forehead on his shoulder. “I don’t think I’ve ever been this scared of anything in my life.”

The two of them sat there in each other’s arms for a long time, trying to comfort each other from the impending fate that was before them.

“I will do everything in my power to protect you and Ron,” said Harry after a while. “There is nothing more important to me than yours and his safety.”

“That’s one of the things that scares me,” said Hermione. “Is that I know you’ll willingly sacrifice yourself to save us.”

“Of course I would,” he said. “Just like you would too.”

“It’s a bit different for me though,” replied Hermione. “I don’t have a prophecy hanging over my head.”

“Prophecy or no,” said Harry .”It doesn’t matter. We’re people. We’re all the same when it boils down to it. We’re all striving for the same thing.” Hermione looked up at him curiously. “We’re just all trying to live. Even Voldemort and his death eaters. In the long run, we’re all just trying to live.” Hermione smiled and sighed. “It’s late,” said Harry. “We should get inside before everyone wonders where we are.”

“Yeah,” sighed Hermione.

“We’re going to be okay,” said Harry, kissing her on the forehead. “We will.”

“I hope you’re right,” replied Hermione as they got up and starting walking back towards the Burrow.

“And we have a big day ahead of us,” said Harry.

“We do?” asked Hermione curiously.

“Of course,” he said with a smile. “Because tomorrow, we go to Godric’s Hollow.”

--------------

And that’s all, folks. Liked it? Hated it? Let me know!

This chapter contained the real icky part of the story. Yes, you had to hear Hermione say that Ron kissed her. Thankfully, there will be no more R/Hr ‘moments’ anymore.

As for the timing of my updates...well, I keep saying that I’m gonna have a weekly update, but that isn’t getting me much of anywhere, so for right now expect one every two weeks. I know, it’s a long time, but it’s better than nothing. And MAYBE someday I’ll get my ass in gear and turn it up to one a week. Hope you all had a great new year!

5. Godric's Hollow

As always, I’d like to thank everyone for reviewing (last chapter had a particularly high count, 31 I think), your words inspire me to write.

One quick thing, I’ve noticed that a few people have picked up The Second War Trilogy, which begins with my far and away worst piece of work, The Times are Changing. If you are brave enough to venture into that land, I only ask that you PLEASE don’t point out the numerous mistakes and canonical errors. I’m already aware of them, and I hope to one day rewrite that story so that’s it’s better. This has been a public service announcement from your local author.

Also, this is a public service announcement to everyone that this story is rated R. Please remember that as you read this chapter.

Enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 5: Godric’s Hollow

Harry stared silently at the red sunrise from his seat at Ron’s window and sighed.

“You alright, mate?” asked Ron, throwing on a pair of pants.

“Yeah,” replied Harry. “Just...”

“A bit thrown that you’re finally going back to where you lived with your parents?” suggested Ron.

“Something like that,” said Harry with a smile. “I never knew them...but I can’t shake the feeling that I’m going home.”

“I wouldn’t really know,” shrugged Ron.

“You boys almost ready in there?” asked Hermione, knocking on the door.

“Yeah,” replied Harry. “C’mon in.”

The door opened slightly and Hermione poked her head inside.

“Come on,” she urged. “We want to avoid people bugging us, remember?”

“Yep,” replied Harry.

“Do we even know where we’re going?” asked Ron as they got downstairs. “It’s not like we can apparate there, can we?”

“Even if we could, I don’t think it would be a good idea,” said Hermione. “We might apparate right in front of some muggle.”

“So how are we getting there?” asked Harry, mentally chastising himself for not thinking of this sooner.

“Well...as much as I hate to say it...” trailed Hermione. As they got out back she pointed to three brooms leaning against the side of the house, one of which Harry recognised as his Firebolt. “We’re flying.”

“How did you get a hold of these?” asked Ron, inspecting the broom next to Harry’s. “They’re not half bad...and aren’t we liable to be seen flying around in broad daylight?”

“That’s why we’re leaving before the sun is fully up,” replied Hermione with a huff. “And I asked Remus for some help in getting them.”

“He didn’t object?” asked Harry.

“On the contrary, he thought it was a smart idea to fly instead of trying to apparate and he approved of us asking him for help as opposed to trying to do it ourselves.”

“Well,” said Harry, grabbing his broom. “Let’s be off.”

“Alright,” said Hermione. “Now mind you, Godric’s Hollow is a fairly small place, so we may have to ask for directions, but I know the general area that it’s near.”

“Okay,” said Ron, mounting his broom. “So which way are we headed?”

“Due south,” replied Hermione, getting on her broom as well. “Straight over the forest.”

“Lead the way, then,” said Harry, doing the same. Hermione gave a great sigh and Harry swore that he could see her lips move in a silent prayer as she kicked off the ground and flew a few feet into the air. Smiling, he did the same and rose up next to her.

“I bloody hate flying,” she muttered.

“You’ll get used to it,” replied Harry with a smile. “Besides, it’s not like we’re going to be playing a game of quidditch or anything.

“And thank god for that,” she replied.

“Oy! Let’s get a move on you two,” smiled Ron from behind them. With a nod, Hermione rose higher and sped off over the canopy.

Harry flew after her, followed by Ron. He took a deep breath and let the wind penetrate his body...it had been far too long since he had been flying properly. Taking another breath, he looked to his left and saw the sun barely creeping over the horizon in the distance, giving the sky a warm, pink glow.

“It’s really beautiful, isn’t it?” said a voice to Harry’s right.

“LUNA!” exclaimed Harry, nearly falling off his broom. Ron, barely seeing Harry skid to a halt in time, had to make a quick move up so as not to crash into him. “Don’t do that!”

“Sorry,” she said with a shrug. “I would’ve thought you heard me come up behind you.”

“You could’ve given me some warning, mate,” said Harry, narrowing his eyes at Ron.

“But then it wouldn’t have been funny,” he replied, trying to conceal a laugh.

“Why are we stopped?” asked Hermione, flying up to them. “Oh, hello Luna.”

“Hello,” she replied in her usual airy voice. “So why are you three up so early?”

“Er...we could ask the same of you,” said Harry, with a small smile.

“Oh I always go out for flights in the morning,” replied Luna. “They help calm me.”

“That’s lovely,” said Hermione. “We really must be going though...”

“Oh, where to?” asked Luna with a bright smile.

“Um...where my parents used to live,” answered Harry.

“Godric’s Hollow?” she asked, prompting Harry to nod. “Okay, have a nice day!”

And without another word she flew off.

Harry stared off after her for a moment before looking over at Ron, who was looking at Hermione, who was looking back at Harry. He chuckled and shook his head before laying flat on his broom and speeding off after Luna.

“Hey,” he said catching up to her a few seconds later. “Do you want to come with us?”

“Oh,” replied Luna, slowing to a halt. “I couldn’t possibly intrude...”

“I wouldn’t be inviting you if I thought you’d be intruding,” said Harry with a smile. Luna grinned broadly at him and nodded once. “Let’s go then.”

They flew back to where Ron and Hermione were waiting for them, and were met with a chuckle from both of them.

“Glad to have you along, Luna,” said Ron, with a smile.

“I’m quite honored that you said I could come,” she shrugged. “I don’t really feel like it’s my place to be with you at such a sacred place.”

“You’re a friend,” said Harry. “A good friend at that. You’re always welcome.”

Harry thought for a second that he had silenced Luna, something that he thought was probably impossible, but the next moment she shrugged and smiled at them.

“Well, let’s get going,” said Hermione. “We’ve got a bit of a flight.”

“Right,” said Luna. “It’s something like a hundred kilometers to the southwestern coast as it is.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” asked Ron.

“Godric’s Hollow is near the shore down there...” said Hermione. “How did you know about that Luna?”

“I’ve been in that area many times,” she shrugged. “A lot of rare animals are supposed to inhabit that part of Britain.”

“Right...” said Harry hesitantly, though it was with a smile. “Well, let’s get on with it then.”

=====

The four of them were flying for just under two hours before the coastline became clearly visible. Hermione was in the lead, followed by Harry, while Ron and Luna were flying side by side, bringing up the rear.

Harry turned his head around to look at Ron and Luna who were talking to each other animatedly. Chuckling, he flew up to Hermione who was looking determinedly straight ahead.

“Relax,” said Harry, looking at her. “You’re much too tense. It causes the broom to react too fast.”

“I. Hate. Flying,” growled Hermione through gritted teeth. They were flying above the bottommost clouds so as not to be seen by people on the ground, and he sensed that the height was bothering her.

“Just relax,” repeated Harry, reaching over and placing his hand on hers. “Merlin, what are you trying to do? Choke the broom?”

“It’s not funny,” replied Hermione, though Harry noted that she did ease slightly at his touch.

“How come you hate flying so much anyway?” asked Harry, pulling his hand away.

“I just keep feeling like I’m going to mess up and it’ll be all over in a flash,” she said, still looking straight ahead.

“You know that even if you did fall, I’m much faster than gravity,” said Harry flashing a grin.

“I suppose you are,” chuckled Hermione. “See that village way down there?”

“Yeah,” replied Harry. “Is that it?”

“No,” replied Hermione. “That’s as close as I can get us. You should probably ask Luna if she knows the rest of the way.”

“Alright,” said Harry. “And remember, just relax.”

“I’ll try to,” said Hermione, smiling.

Harry fell back to where Ron and Luna were flying, and managed to catch some of their conversation as he approached.

“...and my father always said that knarples were rather tiny, but I don’t think they’d be too much smaller than a hinkypunk given their diet...” Harry heard Luna as he reached them “Oh, hello Harry.”

“Hi,” he said with a smile. “See the village down there?” Both Ron and Luna looked down at the village a few kilometers ahead of them and nodded. “Hermione knows that Godric’s Hollow is near there, but that’s it. We’re hoping you can show us the rest of the way.”

“Ask Hermione if that’s Bhraunwall,” said Luna. Harry nodded and flew up to Hermione.

“Is the name of that village Bhraunwall?” he asked, noting that Hermione had resumed her death-grip on the broom.

“I believe so,” she replied quickly. “Named for the famous eighteenth century wizard who secretly helped the muggles –”

“Hermione?” interrupted Harry.

“Mm?” she asked nervously.

In one deft move, Harry swung his legs over the side of his broom and, making sure to maintain a firm grip on his broom, jumped to Hermione’s, causing her to shriek in terror and drop a few feet in height.

“Relax,” he whispered in her ear with a smile.

“Don’t you ever bloody do that again!” she yelled, breathing hard. “We could’ve been killed!”

“Nah,” grinned Harry, placing his left hand on her waist, while still holding on to his Firebolt with his right. “Despite the fact that you hate flying, you know what you’re doing.”

“That doesn’t mean you have the right to scare me like that,” said Hermione, calming down.

“I’m sorry about that,” said Harry, placing his chin on her shoulder. “But I have to get you to relax somehow.”

“You’re still a right git,” replied Hermione, leaning back into Harry slightly.

Neither of them spoke for about a minute, and Harry had actually forgotten that Ron and Luna were behind them until Harry felt a light tap on his shoulder.

“Mate?” asked Ron from his right. “Looked like you dozed off there.”

“Nah,” said Harry, looking over and seeing Luna on the other side of Ron. “That’s the right village, Luna.”

“We need to go west for about four kilometers,” she replied. “Godric’s Hollow doesn’t have more than thirty buildings, so we’ll need to fly low to see it.”

“There’s a forest up ahead,” pointed out Ron. “We can fly just above the canopy.”

“Sounds like a plan,” smiled Harry. Ron and Luna nodded and dropped back, presumably to continue their conversation. Harry turned back to Hermione and could see that she was smiling slightly. “What’s funny?”

“Nothing,” she replied. “Just how adorable those two are.”

“Huh?” asked Harry, turning around to look at Ron and Luna. It surprised him to see that they weren’t looking where they were going, but were actually making such extraordinary eye contact that had it not been for the fact that Ron’s mouth was moving, Harry would’ve guessed they were playing the game where one tries not to blink.

“She’s liked him for ages,” said Hermione. “But she’s just really shy when it comes to things like that.”

“I had no idea,” commented Harry, turning back to Hermione. “So you’re warming up to her slightly?”

“She’s a good person at heart,” she replied. “And that’s what counts.”

“You’ve relaxed,” he whispered, grinning.

“It’s easier when I have a bodyguard,” replied Hermione with a smile. “I suppose we should start to descend.”

“Don’t miss me while I’m gone,” said Harry, giving her arm a quick squeeze with his free hand before jumping clear off her broom, only to right himself on his Firebolt a moment later.

“Must you do stuff like that?” asked Hermione, as she descended down to him.

“I haven’t been flying in so long,” shrugged Harry. “I miss the old quidditch moves, after all.”

“I certainly don’t,” replied Hermione, shaking her head.

“That’s it!” Luna called out from behind them. They turned around to see her pointing at a small cluster of buildings close to the ocean a few kilometers ahead of them, surrounded by trees on three sides.

“Last one there’s a rotten Malfoy!” called out Ron, accelerating past Harry and Hermione. Grinning, Harry chased after him, while Hermione and Luna flew behind them, going slow on purpose.

“You two are no fun, you know that?” asked Ron a few minutes later, as Hermione and Luna landed next to him and Harry.

“Well unlike you two, we don’t see fit to partake in such juvenile acts like racing,” said Hermione, dismounting.

“So this is it,” said Harry, looking around.

They were standing on a dirt road that led into the heart of the small cluster of buildings that was Godric’s Hollow. On their left was clear, flat, country, and on their right was forest, the ocean only a few hundred feet beyond the trees.

“Guess we go on foot from here,” shrugged Harry, walking off towards the houses.

“And what are you going to do about that?” asked Hermione, pointing at his broom. “It is a muggle village, after all.”

“Er...”

“Give it here, then,” said Hermione, holding out her hand. Harry reluctantly handed her his broom, and with a quick flourish of her wand, she had shrunk it to the size of a matchstick. “Just don’t lose it,” she said, giving it back to Harry, who put it in his pocket.

“I won’t,” said Harry seriously, watching as Ron shrunk his and Luna’s broom too. Hermione followed suit with her own, and in no time they were walking towards the village.

Hermione suggested that they should ask someone where their destination was, so as they reached a petrol station, the four of them headed over to it and walked inside.

“Kin I help ye?” asked the man behind the behind the counter in a very heavy Scottish accent. Harry was immediately reminded of Hagrid, in that this man was probably over six and a half feet tall, and had an extremely long beard, though his hair was red, and he was chewing on a toothpick.

“We’re looking for something,” said Hermione with a smile.

“Oh, aye?” asked the man. “Well, there’s nut anythin’ round these parts that I dun know about. Mebbe I kin help ye out.”

“We’re looking for where James and Lily Potter used to live,” said Harry, looking the man dead in the eye.

Harry wasn’t sure if the man was gaping, but the toothpick fell out of his mouth and landed on the counter, bouncing slightly.

“Well, bless me marbles,” said the man looking at Harry. “Ye look jus’ like James Potter yerself.”

“I’m his son,” said Harry. “I’d like to know where they lived.”

“Course...o’ course,” said the man, fishing around the register for something. “I’ll take ye there meself. Ne’er a nicer pair o’ people, yer parents.” The man finally found a set of keys and led them from the store, locking when they were outside. “I knew ‘em o’ course.”

“Did you?” asked Harry, walking alongside the man while Hermione, Ron, and Luna all followed behind them.

“Ye,” replied the man. “Terrible thing, tha’ gas explosion. How’d ye survive it anyhow?”

“I don’t know,” shrugged Harry, understanding that this man knew nothing of Lord Voldemort.

“Well, ye couldn’t ‘ave bin more than a couple yars old anyhow,” said the man. “Blimey, I haven’t even introduced meself yet. Folks round here call me McCleary.”

“Nice to meet you,” said Harry with a smile.

“Same to you, Misser Potter,” replied McCleary. “That be the spot, just up on the right past that thar house at the end.”

“Thank you very much,” smiled Harry, extending his hand to the man.

“Anything for the son of James an’ Lily,” said McCleary, shaking his hand. “And if ye need anything at all, come round the station.”

“We’ll do that,” said Harry. The man turned and smiled and nodded at Hermione, Ron, and Luna, all of whom smiled in return as he walked off.

“Honestly...how ye got this far out into the country without a car...” Harry heard him mutter as he walked away.

“Well he was nice,” remarked Ron, once the man had gone.

“Very nice,” agreed Luna. “So is this it?”

“I guess so,” said Harry, turning to his right and looking at the empty space between the last house, and the trees on the left. In the middle of the ground was a patch of bare earth, where grass didn’t grow. “I guess that’s where the house was.”

“They probably filled in the foundation after it was destroyed,” said Hermione, as the four of them walked up to it.

“I wonder why they never built a new house here,” remarked Luna.

“I bet Dumbledore had something to do with that,” said Ron. “Probably paid a load of money to keep it like this.”

“C’mon,” said Harry, walking up to the edge of the trees towards the back of the empty space. “There’s a path here.”

The four of them walked along the path through the woods for a few minutes, stopping every so often to look around and remark on their surroundings.

They had been walking for about ten minutes when Hermione put her hand on Harry’s arm, causing him to halt.

“Look,” she whispered, pointing at a tree on their right. Harry turned and saw a rather large tree standing a few feet off the path. There was nothing unusual about the tree, except for something scratched into the bark. Curious, Harry walked up to the tree and froze when he saw what was carved there.

JP
+
LE

Harry felt tears sting at his eyes as he stared at the inscription, so simple, yet so meaningful to him.

“L.E.?” asked Ron, confused.

“My mother’s maiden name was Evans,” reminded Harry, wiping at his eyes. “This must’ve been from before they were married.”

Ron nodded silently and the four of them stood there for a while in silence, thinking about what the world must’ve been like when the initials had been carved into the tree.

“Well, let’s move on,” said Harry. “I want to see where this path goes.”

It only took them a few more minutes to find out where the path went. The trees in front of them disappeared to reveal a small clearing that stretched to a cliff, where waves from the ocean could be heard crashing on the rocks below. In the middle of clearing stood a simple white arbor, similar to the one at Bill and Fleur’s wedding, behind which there was a small garden in which, surprisingly, dozens of flowers were growing.

“This must have been where they were married,” breathed Hermione, looking around.

“How are these flowers here?” asked Harry, kneeling down next to the garden. “Flowers don’t last for nearly twenty years.”

“Someone must be taking care of them,” said Ron. “Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if someone was paid to take care of this place.”

“Harry?” asked Hermione, as he got up and began to walk towards the cliff.

“I’m just going to go have a seat,” he replied, not turning to look at her. None of them made any argument, and he walked to the edge of the grass and sat down, staring out at the waves rolling towards the shore.

He sighed and plucked a few strands of grass from the ground, releasing them individually off the edge of the cliff.

“Do you mind if I join you?” asked Luna, from behind him.

“Not at all,” replied Harry.

She sat down and hugged her knees to her chest, resting her chin on them.

“It’s so peaceful here,” she remarked, looking out at the ocean.

“Yeah it is,” replied Harry. “I can see why my parents lived here...it’s gorgeous.”

“You have wonderful friends, Harry,” said Luna. “Don’t ever forget that, no matter what happens.”

“Er...I won’t,” he replied, turning to look at her. “What makes you say that?”

“Just reminding you,” shrugged Luna. “Keep them close. Especially Hermione.”

“Why Hermione?” asked Harry with a smile.

“If you don’t know already, I’m not going to be the one to tell you,” replied Luna with a smile.

“Hey mate!” shouted Ron from beside the garden. “C’mon! There’s food to be eaten!”

Harry turned around and saw that Hermione had apparently brought a picnic, as there was a blanket laid out on the ground with some food laying on it.

“One second!” shouted Harry in response. “What are you talking about, Luna?” he asked, turning back to her, but she had already gotten up and was walking back towards Ron and Hermione. Chuckling to himself, he made a mental note to talk to her about it later, got up, and walked over to where Ron had already begun shoveling food into his mouth.

“You could’ve waited Ron,” chastised Hermione.

“Why?” mumbled Ron through a mouthful of food.

“Because it’s polite to wait for everyone to be present,” said Hermione as Harry sat down beside him. “Especially when the last person arriving is the reason why we’re here.”

“‘Arry doesn’t mind, do you?” asked Ron, his cheeks bulging.

“Er...” said Harry nervously, everyone looking at him intently. “I’m staying out of this one on the grounds that I can’t give a satisfactory answer to everyone present.”

“Oh go on mate, just say she’s right, I don’t mind,” said Ron, swallowing.

“It has nothing to do with being right,” huffed Hermione. “It’s the principle of the –”

“Oh just let it go you two,” chuckled Harry. “This is supposed to be a happy day. Happy. Not arguing.”

“Sorry,” said both Ron and Hermione bashfully.

“Now come on, let’s enjoy some of this food,” said Harry, looking down at the spread that looked very similar to something one might find at Hogwarts. “Who enlisted Dobby’s help, anyway?”

“I did,” chuckled Hermione, blushing slightly. “I apparated over there this morning before you two were awake and he made this for me. I got the feeling he wanted to come along but was too shy to ask.”

The four of them chuckled at this.

“How’d you bring all this with you anyway?” asked Harry.

“Broomsticks aren’t the only thing you can shrink, you know,” winked Hermione.

“Noted,” smiled Harry as they all began to tuck in.

=====

“Ahh, that was a great meal,” said Ron about an hour later, patting his stomach. “Remind me to compliment the house elves.”

“I still don’t approve of how they’re used,” frowned Hermione. “But I really suppose there isn’t much I can do about it.”

“Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?” asked Ron with a smile. Hermione shrugged.

“You’re not really giving up on SPEW, are you?” asked Harry.

“It’s S-P-E-W,” corrected Hermione, rolling her eyes. “And I don’t know...I just don’t feel like it would go anywhere.”

“Hey,” said Harry putting an arm around her. “What happened to the girl that never gave up on anything she put her mind to?”

“I guess I realised that it’s just not possible to do everything,” sighed Hermione. Harry chuckled and gave her shoulders a quick squeeze before letting go. He opened his mouth to say something but a rustle from somewhere to his right caused him to freeze.

“Did you hear something?” he asked, looking around.

“No,” shrugged Ron. “What was it?”

“Sounded like something in the forest,” replied Harry, squinting at the trees.

“It was probably a gnarlyfunk,” commented Luna absently. “There’s a surplus of them in this region.”

“I don’t think...Hermione?” asked Harry, turning to look at her. “What is it?”

“Look,” she breathed, eyes wide. Harry followed her gaze to the edge of the trees where the path ended, and distinctly saw four figures in black cloaks just as his scar began to tingle.

“We have to get out of here,” he said quickly. “Let’s go.”

“Now what’s the rush, Potter?” an icy voice behind Harry said.

Instantly there were several cracks around the four of them, and five cloaked figures with white masks appeared, wands drawn.

“When did you get out, Lucius?” asked Harry acidly, recognising the voice as Draco’s father.

“Well after the enchantment that Dumbledore put on me to keep me grounded disappeared, it was rather easy to...slip away,” replied Lucius. “Now get up.”

Figuring it would be easier to make an escape with a standing base, Harry complied, but kept his back turned to the elder Malfoy.

“You three as well,” ordered Lucius, and the other five death eaters converged quickly to drag Hermione, Ron, and Luna to their feet. “I cannot wait to see the look on the Dark Lord’s face when he discovers the situation,” he continued, pressing the tip of his wand to the black mark on his left forearm.

A dark chill filled the air and the sunlight seemed to disappear as black smoke flew from the path in the forest to where Lucius was standing.

“What is it, Lucius?” the cold, high voice of Voldemort asked. “I told you not to interrupt my search...well what have we here?”

The smoke began to swirl and gather, only to materialize in the form of Lord Voldemort a moment later.

“Harry Potter...and his band of minions,” said Voldemort with a sick smile. “How wonderful of you to join me. Tell me...why are you here? Is it because you heard I was going to be here and wanted perhaps to ‘get the best of me’? Or is it something...else?”

“My parents lived here,” said Harry in a monotone. “You of all people should know that.”

“And you just wanted to come and reminisce?” asked Voldemort with a cold chuckle. “A waste of time, living in the past. I’m sure your headmaster...excuse me, ex-headmaster told you that.” A chorus of chuckles rippled through the death eaters at this comment. “Tell me...why are you really here?”

“I wanted to invite you to a picnic,” droned Harry, rolling his eyes. “Honestly, what does it look like we were doing?”

Voldemort leaned over to his right slightly to get a look at the white blanked laid out on the ground with the remnants of the meal still sitting on it. He frowned slightly and gave Harry an appraising look.

“You disappoint me, Harry Potter,” sighed Voldemort. “And all this time I thought you were plotting against me.”

“My lord,” called a familiar voice from the woods. “We haven’t found anything with the spell you gave us –”

“You are interrupting me, Severus,” spat Voldemort, not breaking eye contact with Harry. Harry, however, snapped his head around and saw his former teacher standing with his head bowed at the treeline.

“I beg your forgiveness my lord,” said Snape with utmost reverence. “I did not realise –”

“Of course you didn’t,” hissed Voldemort. “But then again, you didn’t know we had company, so for this time I shall forgive you.”

“My deepest gratitude,” said Snape, still looking at the ground.

“Come, then Severus, join the party,” said Voldemort with a sick smile. Snape finally raised his head and made his way over to the circle of death eaters, bowing to Voldemort when he got there. “As you can see, young Potter and his friends decided to join us today.”

Harry made sure to stare at Snape with the most amount of loathing he could muster, while wishing his former teacher would burst into flames at the same time.

“Harry here seems to really despise you, Severus,” chuckled Voldemort. “Now why could that be...ah yes! Perhaps it was because of Dumbledore?”

“You know bloody well that’s why,” said Harry through gritted teeth.

“Now, now Potter, I don’t take kindly to being talked to like that,” chastised Voldemort, brandishing his wand. “Perhaps I should teach you some respect. Crucio!”

Harry thought his skin was melting as Voldemort kept his wand trained on him. He vaguely registered someone screaming in the back of his mind, and thought for a moment that it was him until the curse was lifted and he realised it was Hermione.”

“Stop!” she cried, her eyes red in terror.

“Hmm,” said Voldemort appraisingly, stroking his wand with his long, white fingers. “Miss Granger...young Harry here means something to you, doesn’t he?”

“He means something to all of us, you bastard,” whispered Hermione.

“Hermione shut up,” said Harry fast. Her eyes widened at his outburst. “Don’t get involved in this.”

“Ah, but she is already involved in this,” said Voldemort silkily. “As are your other two friends...I wonder, Potter...are they as good at resisting the Imperius Curse as you are?”

Harry’s mouth remained closed, but in his head he was truly fearing what was about to come next.

“Well let us find out,” said Voldemort, training his wand on Ron. “Imperio.”

Instantly Ron’s eyes glazed over, and the death eater holding him let go. Silently, Harry watched as Ron walked over to Voldemort and bowed once, causing the assembled death eaters to laugh imperiously. Without a word, he stalked over to Lucius and, in one quick move, reached through his robes and pulled a hidden dagger from them.

“Ron...” whispered Harry as his friend began to walk over to him. “This isn’t you...remember who you really are...remember the Weasley inside you.”

Ron’s steps faltered. Harry could see that he was fighting it...but he wouldn’t win the battle without some help. Silently, Harry remembered something that he had once overheard the teachers at Hogwarts talking about, and focused everything he had on the one spells he was thinking of.

‘Expelliarmus,’ he thought, looking at Voldemort. The result was about what Harry expected. A small ripple flew through the air, and Voldemort easily blocked it, but in the process his concentration faltered and Ron broke free.

“So...” said Voldemort, turning to Harry as Ron dropped the dagger like it was an acromantula. “You’ve learned wandless magic...”

“I haven’t learned anything,” spat Harry. “I just tried as hard as I could.”

“So you’re a natural, then,” smiled Voldemort. He paused for a moment and then frowned. “I’m wasting time here...I came here for a reason and you’ve distracted me yet again. I will not let this opportunity pass though.” He looked Harry dead in the eyes and pointed his wand at him. “I intend to find out what you denied me over a year ago Potter. I know Dumbledore told you the prophecy...and now you will tell it to me. Legillimens!”

Harry closed his eyes and braced himself for the invasion, but instead of seeing a rush of images surge through his mind...he saw only a brick wall. Slowly he opened his eyes and met Voldemort’s, rage and frustration running through them.

“So Potter,” he ground out, not breaking the spell. “You’ve learned Occlumency...and here I had thought you failed.”

Harry didn’t know what to say so he kept his mouth shut. He was sure that if the brick wall wasn’t present in his mind, Voldemort would be seeing nothing but confusion. Harry continued to stare at the dark lord until something just beyond him caught his eye. He was careful not to break eye contact, but paying attention very carefully, he could distinctly see Snape staring hard at him, mumbling something under his breath, his lips barely moving.

Comprehension dawned on Harry and it began to confuse him even more. Finally, after a few more seconds Voldemort gave up, and with an angry growl, stalked over to Hermione and trained his wand on her.

“Tell me the prophecy Potter,” he said venomously. “Tell me the prophecy or the mudblood dies.”

Harry was breathing hard...his heart was beating harder. Despite trying to find a way out, he knew that his time was running short.

“You have five seconds Potter,” said Voldemort, his arm around her neck. “Five...four –”

An extremely loud gunshot from the woods sounded, and five armed men, led by McCleary came running out of the woods, the barrels of their guns leveled at the death eaters.

“Ye leave those kids alone ye bastards!” yelled McCleary, a double-barreled shotgun aimed at Voldemort’s head. “Ye git on outta here or I’ll blow ye head off!”

Harry looked quickly between Voldemort and McCleary, the former obviously weighing the situation and his odds. Before anyone had time to react though, one of the death eaters spun around and aimed his wand at one of the men beside McCleary.

Harry couldn’t help but find it ironic that for all the magic wizards had, they were really no match for a gun. Three shots sounded loud and clear before the death eater could even utter a word, and he fell to the ground in a bloody mess.

“Ye try anything like tha’ again, and ye’re all dead!” bellowed McCleary.

Voldemort was livid, it was easy to tell...but even Harry knew that Voldemort wasn’t stupid.

“I will now take my leave of you, Potter,” said Voldemort, dropping his arm from Hermione’s neck. “But I promise you, this isn’t over by a long shot.”

“I’m well aware of that,” spat Harry.

“Come,” growled Voldemort to his death eaters. With seven cracks they all disappeared, and the four teens instantly drew their wands in case they decided to return.

“Ye okay?” asked McCleary, coming up to them.

“We’re alright,” said Harry, walking over to Hermione to make sure she was okay. “How did you know we were in trouble?”

“Neighbor heard a lass screamin’ an’ called fer help,” said McCleary, still holding onto his shotgun tightly. “An’ there ain’t no law around here ‘sides me, so I rounded up me boys an’ run ar arses o’er here.”

“We’re indebted to you,” said Hermione graciously.

“Ah, dun ye worry ‘bout it,” said McCleary. “This is Jackson, McPherson, Farstall, Luther, and Kingsford, by the way.”

The teens smiled and nodded at the men, who grunted in response.

“Don’ take it personally,” laughed McCleary. “They dun talk much.”

“I understand that,” laughed Harry.

“We best be getting away from here,” said McCleary. “In case any o’ those bastards come back, eh?”

Harry nodded and the four of them were about to follow the men out of the clearing when three cracks sounded behind them.

“Stupefy!” three different, yet familiar voices yelled. In an instant, three jets of red let hit half of the men, and in another second the other three fell. Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna whirled around, wands drawn, only to come face to face with Lupin, Tonks, and Moody.

“You really didn’t need to make such a big entrance, you know,” said Harry, shaking his head.

“Didn’t know if they were the ones causing the commotion,” said Remus. “What happened?”

“Voldemort showed up,” said Hermione. “We’d be in a lot of trouble right now if these men hadn’t saved us.”

“McCleary?” asked Lupin, looking down at the fallen red-haired man. “Didn’t know he was still around.”

“You know him?” asked Harry.

“Course I do,” replied Lupin. “He was good friends with your parents...but he doesn’t know a lick about magic. Obliviate.”

Harry watched as Lupin repeated the charm five more times for each of the men, and then woke them.

“How the hell did I end up down ‘ere?” McCleary asked, blinking.

“Dunno,” shrugged Lupin. “I reckon you lot got pissed and passed out.”

“Oh aye...” groaned McCleary. “Well, sorry to intrude, we’ll be goin’ then.”

Harry suppressed a chuckle as the six men wandered off down the trail before turning to Lupin.

“How did you know we were in trouble?” he asked, watching as Moody’s magical eye continued to follow the men.

“Trouble sensors,” Lupin explained, pointing at the garden. “I would’ve been here sooner but I didn’t want to come alone in case I ran into more than I could handle.”

“So you’ve been keeping the garden?” asked Ron. Lupin nodded.

“What happened anyway?” asked Tonks.

“Like Hermione said, Voldemort showed up,” said Harry.

“He was actually here? Himself?” asked Moody, looking down at the dead death eater.

“Yeah,” said Harry. “I think it was a coincidence though, he seemed surprised to see us.”

“Macnair,” grunted Moody, pulling the mask off the man.

“Pity,” sighed Harry. “And here I was hoping it was someone important.”

“I wonder why he was here,” contemplated Lupin. “It’s not like him to go prancing around the country in broad daylight, with or without death eaters.”

“He said he was searching for something...” trailed Harry. “He was interested in why we were here...”

Harry’s eyes widened as he remembered something Dumbledore had once said to him.

“Lord Voldemort would prefer objects that, in themselves, have a certain grandeur.”

“Remus...” said Harry slowly. “Did my parents ever own anything that belonged to any of the founders?”

“Well...hmm,” said Remus thoughtfully. “Not that I know of...why?”

“We have to get to the Durselys,” said Harry, looking at Lupin. “Can you apparate us there?”

“Tonks, take Luna, will you?” asked Remus as he took Harry's arm.

Tonks nodded and placed her hand on Luna's shoulder.

“We’ll see you there, then,” said Harry, and a moment later he was gone.

---------------

And there you have it!

I know a lot of you will be upset at the quasi-cliffy...but I’m sure that several of you will know what Harry is thinking. Nothing else this week, au revior!

6. Unexpected Gifts

Right, so I had this fabulous plead/rant written here complaining about how I had an unusually low amount of reviews for last chapter, but then the late stragglers came through for me and put some up there, so I had to take the rant away. Le sigh.

So in that light, I decided to be an extremely nice person. This chapter was ready to go, so I’m putting it up on Wednesday, two days early. This doesn’t mean to expect updates on Wednesdays, it’s just a gift from me to you (despite however small it is).

Nothing else to say, read on!

---------------

Chapter 6: Unexpected Gifts

“Are you going to tell us why we’re here?” asked Lupin as Harry strode purposefully towards the door to Number Four, Privet Drive.

“No,” he replied with such finality Lupin didn’t say another word as he, Tonks, Moody, Luna, Ron, and Hermione all followed Harry up to the porch. “Please not my uncle,” he murmured in prayer as he rung the bell. The door opened and Harry inwardly groaned.

“What in the bloody hell are you lot doing here?” said Vernon furiously, though keeping his voice down for fear of attracting attention from the neighbors.

“I need to speak with my aunt,” sighed Harry, looking Vernon in the eye.

“She’s out shopping,” he replied with a grunt. “Won’t be back for a while. Now go on, shoo.”

“Who is it Vernon?” Harry heard Petunia ask from what sounded like the sitting room.

Had it not been for the fact that he didn’t want to make his uncle angrier, Harry would’ve burst out laughing. Instead, he merely bit his tongue as his uncle closed his eyes in grudging defeat. He distinctly heard a snort come from Ron, though.

“Get in, then,” said Vernon in such a deflated voice that Harry almost felt bad for him. Almost.

“Harry?” asked Petunia with a very shocked expression as she came into the hall. “What are you..” she paused momentarily as the six people he was with also entered. “What are you all doing here?”

“I need to talk with you for a moment,” said Harry seriously. He glanced at Vernon who was staring at him with his arms crossed.. “Privately.”

Petunia looked at Vernon slowly then back to Harry.

“Alright,” she said after a moment.

“Hermione, Ron, please come with,” said Harry as his aunt began to lead him up the stairs.

“What about Luna?” asked Ron, looking at her.

“She’ll find out when everyone else does,” replied Harry as Hermione walked up to him. “This needs to remain a secret for now.”

“I don’t like having secrets kept in my house you know,” said Vernon brusquely.

“Then you should be thanking me,” replied Harry, turning his back to continue up the stairs. “Because I’m about to remove one you’ve had in this house for years.”

Vernon looked up at Petunia who, as Harry expected, looked back at her husband in complete bewilderment.

“Hey Dad, where’re the chops?” Harry heard Dudley ask as he reached the top of the stairs. “They’re not in the –”

He waited for the sentence to be finished, but all he heard was a loud squeak and the sound of the kitchen door slamming shut. Harry managed to keep a straight face as Petunia led the three of them into Harry’s old room, but again, Ron couldn’t suppress a choked laugh.

“Despite the fact that he’s a good friend of yours,” began Petunia as she shut the door. “I will never forgive that man for doing that to Dudley.”

“Erm...” stammered Harry, trying to find something to say. Petunia waved him off.

“What’s going on?” she asked seriously. “I’m well aware that you would’ve never come back here unless it was extremely important.”

“It is,” nodded Harry. “And I can’t tell you just yet...first I need you to get the jewelry that you said was my mother’s.”

“Harry...”

“Aunt Petunia,” said Harry seriously. “This is incredibly important, and potentially life-threatening if I don’t deal with it right now.”

“He’s telling the truth, Mrs. Dursley,” added Hermione.

“Very well,” nodded Petunia after a second. “I’ll be right back.”

She was gone less than a minute, returning to the room with a small wooden box in her hands.

“Everything that Dumbledore gave to me is in here,” she said, handing the box to him. Harry opened it and peered inside, ignoring the dust that flew into the air when he did so.

“Hermione,” he said. “You know what I’m looking for. Is it in there?”

She peered into the box from next to him and shifted the contents slightly with her index finger. Harry’s heart sank when she made no indication, but suddenly she gasped and looked at him.

“May I?” she asked. Harry nodded fervently and Hermione reached into box, carefully removing an exquisite bracelet, made entirely of long sapphires connected by rings of gold.

“I’ve always liked that one,” said Petunia as Harry took the bracelet from Hermione, staring at it with wide eyes. “Never saw your mother wearing it, though.”

“Bloody hell,” exclaimed Ron in a whisper. “Is that what I think that is?”

“Yeah,” replied Harry in an equally awed voice. As he stared into the sapphires he swore that he could see an evil presence lurking inside them.

“Let me check it first,” said Hermione, drawing her wand. “Hold it flat in your palm.”

Harry did as Hermione asked as she murmured something under her breath and hovered her wand over his hand. For a moment nothing happened, and then Hermione’s wand glowed a sickening bright green.

“Can you let me in on what’s going on here?” asked Petunia, eyebrows raised. Harry shook himself back to reality and handed the bracelet back to Hermione.

“That,” he said pointing at the circlet of gold and gems, “Never belonged to my mother.”

“Well then who’s could it have been?” asked Petunia curiously.

“It belonged to the person who killed my mother,” stated Harry boldly.

“V...Voldemort?” asked Petunia. Harry nodded.

“He must’ve been wearing it...it must’ve fallen off when the curse he cast at me backfired and the house was destroyed,” he said.

“So...are you planning on using it as leverage, or something?” asked Petunia. “I’m not really sure what significance it has.”

“What I’m about to tell you doesn’t leave this room,” said Harry. “You tell no one.”

“I understand,” replied Petunia.

“Ever,” added Harry. His aunt nodded. “That bracelet is one-seventh of Voldemort’s soul.”

“What?” she asked. “How?”

“It’s a rather complicated process,” said Hermione. “But it involves murdering someone, then splitting your soul and putting the split part in an outside object...this bracelet is one such object.”

“Why would anyone do that?” breathed Petunia with a shocked expression, placing her hand over her heart.

“Because unless all of one’s soul is gone, you can’t die,” answered Harry. “And that, of course, is Voldemort’s ultimate goal.”

“Immortality...” whispered Petunia. “What are you going to do with it?”

“I am going to take it back to a safe place,” said Harry. “And then, under careful supervision, destroy it.”

“And that will destroy his soul?” asked Petunia.

“No,” replied Harry. “That will destroy one-seventh of it. Voldemort created five other objects like this one...two others have already been taken care of.”

“And then...when all of them are gone...someone can kill him?” asked his aunt.

“Yeah,” said Harry with a strange smile. “Someone.”

“We better get going,” said Hermione, placing the bracelet in her pocket. “We need to get this secured as soon as possible.”

“I agree,” answered Harry. “You’ll forgive me, I hope, for not staying longer, Aunt Petunia.”

“Of course,” she said. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exited the room, and just as Harry was about to walk down the hall, he heard Petunia call out, “Get the bastard, Harry.”

Stopping, he turned and smiled at her.

“I will,” he replied. And he walked down the hall to the stairs, Petunia remaining sitting in his old room.

“Shh,” whispered Ron as Harry came down the stairs. He noticed that his friends were standing just before the doorway to the living room, and while Ron was bent over appearing to be eavesdropping, Hermione was standing with her arms crossed, looking at the ceiling. “Listen to this, mate.”

Not able to resist the urge to see what was going on, Harry walked up next to Ron and stuck his head out just far enough to see what was happening.

“And, of course, the Ministry refuses to give my father the finder’s reward because they’re still adamant that it was a deformed billy-goat and not a Crumple-Horned Snorkack, but my father and I both know better,” said Luna all in one breath. “I think that governments are just trying to hide the truth so they have less to worry about, don’t you agree Mr. Dursley?”

Harry nearly choked with chuckles as he saw his uncle sitting in his usual armchair, his face nearly blue, while Luna, Remus, and Tonks sat on the couch, the latter’s body wracking with silent laughter. He couldn’t help but appreciate the irony that Uncle Vernon, Purveyor of Normalness to the World was now sitting listening to one of the most abnormal people in the wizarding world, which was already abnormal enough.

“Erm...I suppose so,” Harry’s uncle said.

“Oh hi there Harry!” exclaimed Luna, waving at him. The other three heads in the room turned and looked at him as he, Ron, and Hermione, stepped into view, and to Harry’s surprise, his uncle rose from his chair immediately.

“You all done then?” he asked very quickly. Harry nodded, hiding a smile. Without a world, Vernon walked as fast as he could past them and up the stairs, Tonks promptly bursting into laughter when he was out of earshot.

“The look on his face!” she exclaimed, while Remus chuckled at Harry.

“Where’s Colin Creevey when you need him?” asked Ron with a laugh.

“As much as I agree that it was second funniest thing I have ever seen,” said Harry, “we need to get back to the Burrow.”

“What was the first?” asked Tonks with a laugh, still breathing hard.

“Malfoy, the Amazing Bouncing Ferret, of course,” replied Harry with a shrug, causing the room to burst into laughter again.

“McGonagal told me about that one,” chuckled Remus. “But laughing matters aside, are we all set?”

“Yes, and speaking of McGonagal,” said Harry as Remus, Tonks, and Luna rose. “She should be alerted that we found one.”

“Found one what?” asked Luna as they walked through the house and exited by way of the back door.

“Just that we found one,” said Harry. “She’ll understand.”

“Alright,” shrugged Tonks, taking Luna’s arm. “Are we ready?”

“Yeah,” said Harry with a chuckle as Remus walked over to him. “Talk about a mood changer,” he muttered to himself, though he saw Hermione smile at him slyly before the compression encompassed him and he was gone.

=====

“I came as soon as I heard,” said McGonagal, throwing her cloak on one of the chairs in the Weasley’s kitchen. “Are you sure?”

“Positive,” said Harry as Hermione withdrew the bracelet and placed it on the table.

“That’s gorgeous!” exclaimed Tonks, making a move to touch it.

“Don’t,” said Harry, looking at her. Tonks looked at him curiously, but pulled her hand back as McGonagal withdrew a monocle from her robes.

“It’s most definitely a Ravenclaw piece,” she said, inspecting it carefully. “It has her signature.”

“I did a scan that I read about at the end of last year,” said Hermione. “It came up positive.”

“I see...well this is indeed an extreme gift of fortune,” said McGonagal with a smile.

“Er...could you maybe enlighten us on what’s going on?” asked Lupin. McGonagal turned to Harry who nodded. “Miss Lovegood, if you would give us a moment –”

“She stays,” interrupted Harry. McGonagal turned and looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “I’m just going to tell her eventually anyway.”

“What I’m about to say must remain secret at all costs,” said McGonagal with a nod at Harry. “Understood?”

“Hey has anyone seen mum around...whoa...what are you all doing here?” asked Ginny, walking into the kitchen.

“Come in and sit down,” said Harry before McGonagal could say anything. “You should hear this too.”

“I fear that the amount of people who will know what is going on could compromise our advantage,” said McGongal.

“I trust everyone in this room implicitly,” replied Harry. “With my life.”

“It may be your life you trust them with, Potter,” said McGonagal seriously.

“So be it, then,” he replied. After a moment of silence, the headmistress nodded and Ginny took a seat at the table, a bewildered expression on her face.

“Everything I say is to remain a secret to everyone outside this room, am I clear Miss Weasley?” asked McGonagal. Ginny nodded once and so she continued. “Who here does not know what a horcrux is?”

“Is that like a blasphomax?” asked Luna with a smile. Despite the seriousness of the topic, Harry couldn’t help but laugh at that.

“No...” answered McGonagal hesitantly.

“I’ve heard the term...but I don’t really know what it is,” said Lupin with a shrug. McGonagal turned to Tonks who shook her head.

“Very well...I should start at the beginning then,” she sighed. “Ron, fetch your mother’s pensieve please.”

“Right,” replied Ron, and not missing a beat, bolted from the room, returning with a large silver basin filled with a silver mist a few moments later. Closing her eyes, McGonagal placed the tip of her wand to her temple and withdrew it a second later, a silver wisp clinging to the end of it.

“This is a memory that originally was in Dumbledore’s pensieve,” she said, placing the strand in the basin and stirring it. “But for security reasons, I thought it better to keep it inside my head.”

Everyone in the room who hadn’t seen the memory before watched in amazement as a much younger Horace Slughorn told a much younger Tom Riddle what horcruxes were and how to make them. When the memory was over, McGonagal pulled it from the basin and placed it back in her mind.

“So you’re saying...Voldemort’s made a horcrux?” asked Lupin.

“Remember, he said in the memory himself that seven was the most powerful number,” said Harry, causing everyone to turn and look at him. “He made six.”

“Six?!” exclaimed Tonks. “That’s insane!”

“That’s Tom Riddle,” shrugged Harry. “That bracelet is one of the six.”

“What about the others?” asked Ginny. Despite the situation, Harry smiled at her.

“You discovered the first one,” he said. “The diary. Obviously it’s been destroyed, so we don’t need to worry about that one.”

“That ring,” said Lupin slowly. “The one Dumbledore was wearing everywhere last year...that was another one, wasn’t it? That was the reason his hand was the way it was.”

“Very astute of you, Moony,” said Harry, using Remus’ nickname on purpose. “And that one was also destroyed.”

“I assume that’s where you and Dumbledore went that night?” asked Ginny. “You found another one?”

“We thought we had,” Harry sighed. “It was supposed to be a locket of Slytherin’s. Voldemort likes important objects, you see. When I found his...his body after it happened, I took the locket...but it was a fake. Someone had replaced it before we got there and left a note inside it saying that they had uncovered the secret, and were going to try and stop Voldemort.”

“So Dumbledore died for nothing?” asked Ginny bluntly. Harry sighed.

“Essentially...yes,” he said morosely.

“Who left the note?” asked Tonks.

“R.A.B.,” said Harry monotonously. “I have no idea who that is.”

“R.A.B....” said Lupin thoughtfully. “Sounds familliar...but I don’t know why.”

“We haven’t been able to come up with anything,” shrugged Hermione. “It’s really frustrating.”

“So what are the other horcruxes?” asked Lupin.

“We don’t know anything concrete, but Dumbledore assumed Nagini, the snake is one,” said Harry. Lupin nodded silently.

“And Voldemort himself still has part of his soul, right?” asked Tonks.

“Right,” said Harry. “Seven pieces...and this bracelet is one of them.”

“So what now?” asked Ginny.

“Now,” said Harry. “We destroy it.”

“...erm...how?” asked Ginny.

“I think a simple reducto will do the trick,” shrugged Harry. McGonagal nodded and drew her wand. “Pity too...it really is pretty.”

McGonagal leveled her wand at the bracelet.

“Reducto!” she exclaimed, and a bolt of red light erupted from the tip of her wand.

The bracelet didn’t move an inch.

“What in the...?” remarked Ron as he peered warily at the piece of jewelry.

“Of course,” shrugged Harry, again causing everyone to turn and look at him. “Despite his fondness for magic, Voldemort knows that an average wizard would never carry the mechanical means to destroy a bracelet of this quality. We must have to destroy it by hand.”

“I don’t get it...” said Tonks thoughtfully.

“Think of it like this,” said Harry. “Even though I’ve only destroyed one horcrux, I didn’t do it with a wand, I drove a basilisk fang through it. The crack in the ring that Dumbledore had was too flawed to have been created by a simple spell, so I’m guessing he took something hard to it. No magic involved.

“So get a hammer,” shrugged Tonks. Everyone stood motionless for a couple moments until Ron shrugged and went over to the drawers by the sink and pulled out a wooden mallet.

“Mum uses this for pounding dough,” he said, giving it to Harry. “Should work.”

“Well,” said Harry contemplatively, taking the hammer. “Here goes nothing.”

He raised the hammer over his head and brought it down on the bracelet with a solid stroke.

The result was sapphire-shaped imprints on the face of the mallet, and absolutely no damage to the bracelet.

“Huh,” said Harry, peering at the dented hammer.

“Hang on a second,” said Ron, leaving the room. A moment later he returned covered in dust but holding a two-foot long iron sledge.

“What the bloody hell is that?” asked Ginny.

“Something of Dad’s, I think,” replied Ron, handing it to Harry. “I saw it once in the garage...I think muggles use it for...smything or something like that.”

“Smithing,” corrected Hermione. “It’s a blacksmith’s sledge.”

“Alright,” said Harry, lining up the hammer to the bracelet. “Let’s try this again.”

Again, he raised the hammer above his head and struck the bracelet as hard as he could, crushing the table underneath it in the process.

“Er...” chuckled Lupin looking at pieces of table laying on the ground. “Reparo.”

The table fixed itself, and Harry picked up the bracelet from underneath it. It was still intact, but several long, spider web-like cracks had appeared in the sapphires. Harry noted that the evil presence he had sensed earlier was now gone.

“How did you know?” asked Lupin after a moment of silence in which they all stared at the broken horcrux. “That your aunt had one?”

“It was the only possible answer,” shrugged Harry looking at him and placing the hammer on the table. “My aunt had already told me that she had what was left of my mother’s jewelry collection...Dumbledore had entrusted that to her. The timing of it was also much too convenient to be a coincidence...I’m guessing Voldemort sensed something through our link. We might not be able to see through each other anymore but that doesn’t mean that he couldn’t have felt that something was in danger. He seemed surprised that I wasn’t there for any other reason except to ‘reminisce’ as he put it. It was almost like he was relieved when that’s all it was.”

“And he used Legilimens on you,” added Ron. “I’m sure he would’ve found out if you hadn’t put up the ol’ Occlumency. When’d you finally get it down, anyway?”

“I...um...I didn’t,” said Harry sheepishly.

“What?” asked Hermione. “Harry that’s impossible unless...unless...” he turned to her and saw hey eyes widen as she figured it out. “I’m so stupid...” she whispered. “And here I thought he was just muttering how much he hated you...”

“Who?” asked Lupin, Ron, Tonks, and Ginny at the same time.

“Snape,” replied Harry flatly.

“Snape was there?” asked Tonks sharply.

“He’s the one who put up the brick wall in my mind,” nodded Harry. “I wouldn’t have recognised it if I hadn’t seen him staring me down, but once I realised it might be him, the presence was familiar.”

The room was silent as everyone looked at everyone else, new, unanswered questions hanging thick in the air.

=====

“Harry.”

Harry turned around from his perch on the roof of the Burrow and saw Hermione climbing out the window from the attic to get to him.

It had been many hours since McGonagal had left them to dispose of the broken bracelet, and after a very long discussion with Ginny, Luna, Tonks, and Remus concerning secrecy and the rest of what Harry knew about horcruxes, he had taken a shower to relax, and then gone to the roof to sit and contemplate in silence, the sun having long since set.

“And here I thought I had found a place where no one would find me,” he chuckled as Hermione sat down next to him.

“The ghoul told me,” she shrugged. “Turns out all you have to do is give it a little attention and then it’s quite friendly.” Harry laughed.

“Figures,” he chuckled. “Ron said a while ago that no one had been in the attic for years...I bet it was surprised to have two visitors in one night.”

“Yeah,” sighed Hermione. “Harry...why are you out here?”

“I just wonder what everything means,” he said, laying back and looking at the stars.

“With Snape?” she asked, laying back with him.

“I guess,” shrugged Harry. “Not just him...” Harry trailed off and heard Hermione let out a soft sigh. “Are you alright?” he asked. “Your life was in danger today too.”

“No it wasn’t,” replied Hermione with a dry laugh. “I knew that you wouldn’t let anything happen to me.”

“That’s my girl,” chuckled Harry, putting his arm around Hermione’s shoulders and giving her a squeeze.

“I was scared earlier,” said Hermione sighing. Harry turned his head to look at her and arched an eyebrow. “When he had you in the curse.”

“I’m almost used to it by now,” sighed Harry. “The first time is the worst because you don’t know how bad it’s going to be. It still hurts...but at least I can brace myself now.”

“I wished it was me,” whispered Hermione.

“You wished what was you?” asked Harry.

“That he had put the curse on me instead of you,” she said softly, looking away.

“Don’t say that,” said Harry. “I pray that you never have to experience something like that.”

“I just –”

“Hermione,” said Harry sternly. “I need you to promise me that if it comes down to it, you will NOT take a curse to save me.”

She turned her head and looked at him, unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

“You know I can’t do that,” she whispered.

“You have to.”

“I won’t.”

“Hermione –”

“No!” she yelled at him. “I wont...I can’t lose you.”

“You have to accept that as a possibility,” whispered Harry as Hermione rolled over and wrapped her arm around his body.

“No...” she cried into his chest.

“You can’t sacrifice yourself for me,” sighed Harry. “Because then all of this...all of what we’re doing, it would all be for nothing.”

“How can you say that?” asked Hermione, looking up at him.

“Because you’re everything to me,” said Harry with a slight smile. “I wouldn’t want to be living in a world where you didn’t exist.”

Harry swore he saw something change in Hermione’s eyes when he said that, but a moment later it was gone and she rested her head on his chest.

“What about Ron?” she asked.

“Him too,” replied Harry. “You both mean the world to me.”

They lay on the roof in silence for a while, not trying to disturb the other as thoughts of war and death ran rampant through their minds. The silence was finally interrupted by a beep from Hermione’s watch.

“It’s midnight,” she said softly.

“We should probably get down,” said Harry.

“In a minute,” whispered Hermione, not getting up. “I have something for you.”

Harry watched as she reached into one of the pockets of her jeans and pulled out a small brown box. He took it and after giving Hermione an inquisitive look, opened it.

“Hermione,” he breathed.

“It’s just like Mrs. Weasley’s clock,” she explained as he removed the silver watch from the box and marveled at it. “It has one hand each for you, me, and Ron.”

Harry stared in amazement at the hands which indeed read, ‘Harry,’ ‘Ron,’ and ‘Hermione.’ Right now Ron was on ‘sleeping’, and Harry and Hermione were on ‘safe’.

“What is this for?” he asked in shock.

“Happy birthday,” whispered Hermione, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“It...that’s today?” asked Harry. Hermione stared at him. “I’m serious.”

“You lost track of your own birthday?” she asked with a small smile.

“With all that’s gone on, do you blame me?” he replied.

“I guess not,” chuckled Hermione. “The Weasleys are throwing you a party in the morning, by the way.”

“Really?” asked Harry with a smile.

“Yes, but I didn’t tell you about it, so you still need to be surprised,” she laughed.

“I can’t believe I forgot it was my birthday today,” chuckled Harry.

“Yes, it’s your birthday, and you can now use magic legally,” said Hermione with a smile.

“So I can,” said Harry hugging her. “What do you think I should cast first?”

“I don’t know,” replied Hermione as Harry drew his wand.

“I think I’ve got a good idea,” he said, pointing his wand at the window to the attic. “Accio Firebolt.”

He heard a sharp buzzing and caught his still-miniaturized Firebolt in the palm of his hand.

“Engorgio,” said Harry, and his broom grew back to its normal size.

“I’m not getting on that with you,” said Hermione, crossing her arms as Harry stood up and mounted it. “Especially since it was in your smelly old pants all day.”

“Please?” he asked seriously. “I’ve always wanted to do this.”

“Do what?” asked Hermione.

“Go flying at midnight,” he shrugged.

“You’ve never done that before?” asked Hermione curiously.

“No...” trailed Harry.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I always wanted it to be...special,” he said with a small chuckle.

“Harry,” smiled Hermione with a laugh. “You’re a hopeless romantic.”

“Don’t you dare tell Ron,” he replied seriously.

“I won’t,” laughed Hermione, standing up. “Do you promise not to do any quidditch moves?”

“Do you trust me?” asked Harry, offering his hand to her.

“What?” asked Hermione with a smile.

“Do you trust me?” repeated Harry softly.

“With my life,” she replied, taking his hand. In one quick move he pulled her onto the back of the broom and was soaring into the air, Hermione’s arms wrapped tightly around his waist.

“Must you go so fast?” she asked into Harry’s back.

“What?” yelled Harry over the rushing wind.

“Slow down!” yelled Hermione into his ear.

Laughing, Harry slowed the broom to a halt and turned around to face her.

“You don’t need to yell in my ear, you know,” he said with a smile.

“Well you didn’t hear me the first time,” she replied sheepishly.

“Now that we’re stopped,” said Harry, continuing. “Have a look around.”

He smiled at the look on Hermione’s face as she finally took in her surroundings. He had used the broom’s speed to his advantage and taken them above the clouds, the Burrow a tiny speck on the ground far below, the stars twinkling brightly at them above.

“It’s beautiful,” she breathed looking around. “My god...it’s gorgeous.”

“I know,” replied Harry, though he wasn’t quite looking at the stars.

“I never knew it was like this,” said Hermione breathlessly. “It’s so peaceful.”

“So maybe you’re getting used to flying?” asked Harry with a smile.

“If you’re with me, I’m alright,” she replied. “It’s when I’m alone that I can’t do it.”

“Maybe with time you’ll get the hang of it,” said Harry.

“Maybe,” smiled Hermione, taking his hands in hers. “I can see why you love it up here though, even when you’re not playing quidditch.”

“You want the truth?” asked Harry with a smile. Hermione looked at him curiously. “Quidditch was my excuse to fly. The sport itself...don’t get me wrong, I enjoy it, but it’s really flying that I love.”

“Somehow that doesn’t surprise me,” sighed Hermione. “You were oppressed for so long by your relatives...and up here there are no rules, no boundaries, no one to tell you what to do.”

“Except for the occasional passenger who tells me not to go fast,” winked Harry. Hermione smiled and leaned her forehead against his, their noses almost touching.

“Harry?” she asked softly.

“Hmm?”

“Did you mean what you said earlier? When you said you didn’t want to live in a world where I didn’t exist?”

He stared at her for a moment before smiling.

“Of course I did,” said Harry softly. “You’re my everything.”

“And Ron?” asked Hermione again. Harry laughed.

“Ron is my brother,” he said. “He’s extremely important to me...but you, you are what’s most important to me.”

“Harry,” whispered Hermione. “I need to know something.”

“Hm?” he asked.

“Do you love me?”

Harry sat back to get a better look at Hermione, her eyes glistening in the moonlight, the gentle breeze blowing her hair ever so slightly. He squeezed her hands gently and smiled.

“I hope so,” he whispered. “But I...I don’t know what love is.”

“What about what you felt for Sirius?” she asked. “What you felt for Dumbledore...what you feel for me?”

“There’s a difference between romantic love and love between friends and parent figures,” said Harry. “Of course I love you as a friend...I just don’t know if I love you more than that.”

Hermione looked at Harry for a few moments before leaning in and kissing him softly on the nose.

“When you do know,” she whispered. “Make sure I’m the first person you tell.”

Harry nodded silently and turned back around, Hermione’s arms going around his waist automatically as he began to fly them back to the Burrow.

Harry didn’t sleep that night, he was too busy trying to sort out his mind. He wasn’t focused as he walked down the stairs the following morning and actually jumped when the assembled people shouted ‘SURPRISE!,’ despite Hermione telling him about the party the night before.

Harry did, however, make sure he was looking straight at Hermione when he blew out the candles on his cake, both of them wishing for the same thing.

---------------

There you have it!

I hope this chapter answered some horcrux questions for you, and some H/Hr questions too. It took SO much willpower not to just have them snog each other senseless on that broom (a fact I’m sure none of you are too happy about).

And a slice of Pumpkin Pie to those who can tell me the movie that I referenced in this chapter. Another slice if you can tell me what part of the movie it was from. I won’t be posting the answer in the author’s note next chapter, so if you want to know, ask in your review! ;)

7. The Stone Circle

So I guess all I need to do from now on to get people to review is throw in a movie quote. I am pleased to say though, that the 40 reviews I received last chapter is far and away the most I’ve ever gotten for a single chapter (in a novel length story). I don’t suppose it would be too much to ask for a repeat performance? ;)

ETA: I realize that I said this chapter would be ready on Friday the 10th. Obviously, I didn’t achieve that goal. At least I didn’t break the two week rule...maybe I’ll change the update day to Wednesdays...don’t quote me on that.

ETA 2/14/06: Er...right. Broke the two week rule. Sorry! I promise I’ll have the next chapter out faster...I was sick, and then depressed, and then sick again, and then there was Valentine’s Day which is COMPLETE shenanigans...so I know I ask for it a lot, but if you could find it in your hearts just to forgive me this time (again), I’d really appreciate it. Oh, and review. ;)

BTW I made the chapter much longer than usual to compensate for the extra wait...hope you all enjoy it!

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 7: The Stone Circle

Harry and Hermione hadn’t spoken about the events that occurred on the night of Harry’s birthday since they had happened, but every now and then one of them would catch the other staring, and they would blush and share a smile before going back to what they were doing.

The days turned into weeks, and before anyone knew it, it was almost time to return to Hogwarts. It was therefore strange when two days before the Express was to depart, the letters for the upcoming school year hadn’t arrived.

“Oh this is absurd!” exclaimed Hermione staring at her breakfast with disdain. “How are we supposed to prepare for the year without knowing what we need?”

“It’s not like you’re going to be less smart,” shrugged Ron, earning him a glare.

“I wouldn’t worry about it,” said Harry, picking up a piece of bacon with his fingers. “There’s probably a good reason.”

“Oh, there’s a reason alright,” huffed Hermione, crossing her arms. “It’s just not a good one.”

“Actually,” said Molly washing dishes from the sink, “Arthur just found out that it’s a safety precaution. He said they don’t want to risk the owls being traced.”

“Why would they be traced?” asked Ron.

“So Voldemort would know who’s returning ahead of time,” said Harry without looking up from his plate.”

“Exactly,” nodded Molly.

“Well can you at least tell us who’s teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts?” asked Hermione.

“Sorry, dear,” said Molly. “I don’t know any more about that than you do.”

“So what are we to do about our books and such?” asked Hermione.

“They’ll all be there when everyone arrives,” answered Molly. “The Ministry apparently allotted a good amount of money to help pay for everything this year.”

“That figures,” said Harry with a dry laugh. “He’s trying to get on my good side.”

“He?” asked Molly.

“Scrimgeour,” sighed Harry.

“The Minister?” asked Molly incredulously. “What on earth would he want with you?”

“To be a poster child,” shrugged Harry. “I am the ‘Chosen One’ after all.”

“Now we all know that’s nonsense,” said Molly dismissvely turning back to the dishes. “Like you could hold your own against the likes of You-Know-Who.”

Although no one said anything, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all shared a worried glance at Molly’s words.

=====

“Explain to me again why we’re doing this?” asked Lupin.

“Because the twins said they had a surprise for everyone,” commented Molly, not looking up from her knitting.

Harry laughed to himself as he sat in the backseat of the auto Lupin was driving, stuffed between Ron and Hermione. Another car was following them carrying Luna and Ginny with Tonks as the driver.

“Why couldn’t we floo?” asked Ron.

“It’s safer this way and looks much more conspicuous,” replied Molly. “You-Know-Who would never expect Harry Potter to ride along in a car, after all.”

Harry rolled his eyes and turned to look at Ron.

“Have you heard anything?” he asked.

“Not really,” replied Ron. “Fred and George have been awfully busy this summer...talking about something involving building codes, but I don’t know what they’re up to.”

The rest of the ride to the Leaky Cauldron passed fairly quickly. Harry, Ron, and Hermione wasted no time in getting out of the car as fast as they could once it had stopped, and were met with laughter from Luna.

“What’s funny?” asked Ron.

“Oh nothing,” she replied. “You lot just reminded me of something I saw on the telly once many years ago involving funny men with painted faces.”

“Telly?” asked Ron confused.

“It’s a muggle form of entertainment, Ronald,” said Hermione, rolling her eyes.

“Oh,” he nodded as they walked into the tavern.

“Oi!” exclaimed Tom the bartender as they walked inside. “Good to see you lot again! Fancy a pint?”

“Not today, thank you,” said Molly briskly. “We’re just passing through, Tom.”

“Right then, Miz Weasley,” he said dejectedly. “Go on through.”

“What’s wrong, Tom?” asked Harry as he walked by.

“Ah...young Potter...not so young anymore, eh?” he asked with a half-hearted smile. “I’m gonna have to close me pub down...no business anymore what with You-Know-Who out and about.”

“Why?” asked Harry. “Don’t you own the place?”

“Sure I do,” shrugged Tom. “But I gots to pay bills to the Goblins to keep it runnin’. Those fires don’t tend to themselves you know.”

“You don’t use house-elves?” asked Hermione.

“Course not,” said Tom. “I don’t believe in ‘em. If they’d lemme pay ‘em, then fine, but I won’t have no one work for me without something innit for them.”

“Maybe you and I should have a talk sometime,” said Hermione before Ron steered her away. “Ron, kindly remove your hands from me.”

“Sorry,” he said pulling away. “Just didn’t want you to get started.”

“Woe betide the day that I talk about S.P.E.W. to someone who’s interested,” snapped Hermione as they got to the brick wall.

“Knock it off, you two,” sighed Harry. “This is not the place.”

“Sorry,” they both mumbled as Lupin tapped the bricks with his wand and the archway appeared.

Like it had been the previous year, Diagon Alley was essentially deserted, only a few people walking quickly to and from stores at any given time.

“Well come on then,” said Molly, hurrying them along to Weasley Wizarding Wheezes, several of the more famous products on display in the windows.

“Bloody hell...” exclaimed Ron as they walked inside.

Instead of the relatively small space that had once been the store, the inside was now the size of a small gymnasium, and Harry thought he could see a lift off to the side.

“Like the place?” asked Fred with a smile as he came up beside them.

“How on earth did you get the permits for this?” asked Hermione looking around in amazement.

“Oh, it took a while to get the papers straightened out,” admitted George. “But the Ministry went along with it. More money for them in taxes, after all.”

“Bloody brilliant,” whispered Ron, looking at a green colored bottle on one of the shelves. “How long did it take you guys to come up with all these new products?”

“All of last year,” replied Fred. “But enough standing around doing nothing. Who wants the new grand tour?”

Harry began to follow everyone, but a tap on the shoulder from George made him stop and turn.

“Come with me mate,” he whispered.

“Where’re we going?” asked Harry, following George to an unmarked door off to the side.

“You’ll see,” he replied with a grin, taking out a shiny bronze key and opening the door.

The environment changed instantly from the bright, festive atmosphere of the storefront to a dark and musty one. Harry blinked a few times and noticed he and George were now standing in a damp hallway lit only by torches, doors lining both sides.

“What’s here?” asked Harry, looking around.

“All these doors lead to test chambers,” said George, leading him down the hall. “With all the money we’ve earned, Fred and I can pay people to test our products now, instead of having to test them on ourselves.”

“Doesn’t seem very secure,” Harry commented.

“It is,” assured George. “That door we went through has several identity charms on it...only myself, Fred, or someone we’ve approved can pass through. We approved you the moment we created the damn thing, to answer your next question.”

“Thanks,” chuckled Harry as they reached the end of the hall and another door.

This door, unlike the plain gray others that they had passed, was wooden, and had many intricate and beautiful carvings on it that, upon closer inspection, were actually moving around the door slowly. Instead of a doorknob, there was only a small hole where it would be.

“Wow,” remarked Harry. “Nice.”

“Thanks,” replied George, staring at the door carefully. “We hired a witch from Jamaica to do it...voodoo is such ancient magic that both Fred and I are confident no one but us can get through it.”

“How am I supposed to get in then?” asked Harry.

“I’ll show you,” replied George. “You see that circle in the middle?”

“Yeah,” said Harry.

“Put your hand on it,” instructed George. Harry raised an eyebrow at him but complied, placing his right palm flat against the door. Instantly he was sucked in up to his shoulder, and he felt a strong pressure begin to build around his bicep.

“Er...help?” asked Harry.

“You have to wait ten seconds,” said George, counting down on his fingers. When he reached zero, he pulled out his wand and placed the tip of it inside the hole on the door. “This one shall pass.”

Harry felt himself being thrown forward, and next he knew he was laying on his stomach, the wooden door behind him, a staircase spiraling downward in front of him.

“Sorry about that,” said George, coming through the door as well. “That’s the only way for us to get the door to accept other people though.”

“What happens if you aren’t there to make it accept me?” asked Harry, as George took a torch from one of the brackets on the wall.

“It cuts your arm off,” he shrugged with a smile. “Follow me.”

Harry followed the red-head as he began to descend the stairs, treading carefully so as not to fall.

“No one knows this place is down here,” said George. “We didn’t even know it when we bought the place...but Fred’s a right genius and stumbled upon it just before we were about to start the renovations.”

“So what’s down here that you need to keep so secret?” asked Harry as they reached the bottom, and another door, which George opened and led him through.

“This,” he smiled, touching the flame to a small basin.

The room instantly brightened and Harry’s jaw dropped.

“We’re inventors, my brother and I,” chuckled George, waving around at the mass of machines and flasks and cauldrons full of bubbling liquids. “So when we found this...spare room, we decided to invent some machines that would take the hard part out of potion making.”

“This...this is bloody brilliant,” exclaimed Harry, looking around. He could easily recongise several potions that he knew to be illegal, and a few that while legal, were extremely hard to brew. “No room for human error.”

“None at all,” smiled George. “Of course we had our difficulties when we were setting it up...getting the machines to do what we wanted them to was a task itself.

“What have you got here?” asked Harry brightly.

George and Harry spent the next ten minutes visiting each vat or cauldron, each containing some form of extremely hard or illegal potion. From Polyjuice to Exploding Draughts, Harry recognised every potion in the room, save for a few older ones that had been banned long before he was at Hogwarts.

“You need to keep this place a secret,” said George as they walked back towards the stairs. “You can tell Ron and Hermione of course, but the ministry would be none to pleased to find out about it, and I’m sure You-Know-Who would kill to get his hands on this.”

“Of course,” nodded Harry. “All joking aside though, why did you show that place to me?”

“Just in case,” winked George as they reached the top of the stairs. “You’re not alone in this fight, Harry. My brother and I are determined to give you all the help you need.”

“I appreciate it,” said Harry as they passed through the wooden door. “I’m going to need more help than you know.”

“Well let’s get a move on,” said George with a smile. “I’m sure everyone’s wondered where we’ve run off to by now...even Fred isn’t that good at distracting Mum.”

They walked to the end of the hall and exited the way they came in, just in time to see Fred leading everyone back towards their direction.

“Maybe he is that good,” whispered George, ducking behind a display rack and pulling Harry with him. “Fall in when they pass.”

Sure enough, Fred led them right past where Harry and George were waiting, and without missing a beat they both stood up and joined the group again from the back.

“So that’s everything,” exclaimed Fred, clasping his hands together. “Any questions?”

“Yeah,” said Ron. “Are you going give us anything for free?”

“Oh, I suppose a little charity could be in order,” suggested George from beside Harry. “Why don’t we show them our new beverages.”

“Wonderful idea, O’ brother of mine!” exclaimed Fred, herding everyone towards the left side of the store. “Why doesn’t everyone pick out one that they like and it’s on the house?”

Harry chuckled as the assembled group started perusing the items on the shelves, and he was about to join them when Fred came up to him and George.

“You show him?” he whispered. George nodded. “Good. Anything that you need Harry, we’ll send it to you. If we don’t have it, we’ll make it, alright?”

“Yeah,” said Harry, watching Hermione inspect one of the bottles of pink liquid. Fred and George followed his gaze and gave a snigger. “What?”

“It’s about time,” said Fred with a smile.

“After all this time –” began George.

“We’d began to think you weren’t going to notice,” finished Fred with a grin.

“Notice what?” asked Harry.

“Hermione,” they chorused together.

“What about her?” asked Harry, turning back to look again.

“It’s obvious that the two of you are meant to be together,” laughed George. “After all...remember what Bill said.”

“How we talk without talking...” muttered Harry.

“She may have liked our git of a brother, but they’re just not right together,” chuckled Fred.

“Well I suppose that –”

“GINNY!” bellowed George.

Ginny jumped about a foot in the air from her spot next to a rack of deep red bottles, dropping one and causing a few to fall to the ground in the process.

“What?!” she yelled back, breathing hard.

“Please stay away from the love potions,” said George sweetly. “We had that talk last year and it doesn’t seem to have registered.”

Harry had just turned to look towards Hermione, but at that last sentence, his head snapped back around at Ginny who looked for all the world like that cat who ate the canary.

“I think,” he said, crossing his arms. “That I’m going to have a talk with Ginny.”

“Harry, dear,” said Molly coming over to him.

“Now,” he said dangerously. Ginny’s look instantly changed from one of guilt to fear and she looked to her brother for help.

“What?” snapped Ron. “If you did what I think you did I’m not defending you one bit.”

“Let’s go,” said Harry walking over to her. “Do you have a room we could use for a few minutes, guys?”

“Sure,” replied Fred, pointing at the lift. “Floor five.”

Harry briefly considered asking how they managed to fit five floors into the small space, but thought better of it and walked wordlessly over to the lift, pressing the call button when he got there. He turned around and saw that Ginny was still looking nervously around the people she was with before finally caving in and walking towards Harry. He saw Hermione make a motion to follow her, but Ron put his hand on her arm and shook his head wordlessly.

The lift arrived and Harry stepped on, Ginny following timidly behind.

“Harry...”

“Wait,” said Harry with finality. Ginny opened and closed her mouth wordlessly as the lift dinged and the doors opened, revealing a very large and very empty conference room.

They stepped out of the elevator and as soon as the doors were closed, Harry rounded on her.

“I want the truth. Right. Now,” he said so dangerously that a dementor would’ve turned tail and run from him.

“Harry...”

“NOW!” he bellowed.

“I’m sorry,” she said collapsing into one of the chairs, her body starting to shake. “I’m so sorry, Harry...”

“You did, didn’t you?” he asked, sitting a few chairs down from her. “You used a love potion on me.”

Tears were running down Ginny’s face as she nodded almost imperceptibly.

“I’m sorry,” she said again. “But it was the only way...I thought that maybe if you could get used to me then maybe I wouldn’t need the potion anymore...and we could be together.”

“Ginny...” said Harry sighing. They sat in silence for a few minutes until Harry spoke again. “Were you going to do it again?”

“No,” she sniffled. “I wanted some just in case.”

“Just in case of what?” asked Harry.

“Being alone isn’t something I really fancy,” sighed Ginny. “And there’s someone I kinda have my eye on.”

“I’m going to tell you a story,” said Harry suddenly.

“A...a story?” asked Ginny, wiping at her eyes.. Harry nodded.

“Many years ago, there was a young woman named Merope Gaunt,” he began, reclining slightly. “This woman was the daughter of one Marvolo Gaunt.”

“Marvolo?” asked Ginny, her face still red. “Y-You-Know...oh sod it all, Voldemort’s middle name?”

Harry grinned at her for the first time since they had been up there and nodded.

“You should say his name more often,” he said. “The sky didn’t come crashing down on us, after all, you see?”

“Right,” chuckled Ginny softly.

“Anyway, this woman, Merope,” continued Harry. “She was badly abused by her father and brother...her brother is of no concern in this particular story, so we’ll leave him out of it.” Ginny nodded. “Of course, she was a pure-blood...and her father hated anything muggle with a passion.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” asked Ginny.

“There was a muggle in the village that she fancied,” shrugged Harry. “Rather, was in love with. But her family was poor and common, and his was rich and important. He would never have loved her.”

“But?” asked Ginny sensing something more.

“Merope finally broke free of her father and brother when they were taken to Azkaban, and she took it upon herself to offer this muggle a love potion in the form of an innocent drink.”

Ginny gasped slightly.

“This muggle’s name, of course, was Tom Riddle.”

“V...Volde –”

“No,” interrupted Harry. “His father. Tom Riddle senior.” Ginny slowly brought her hand to her open mouth. “Tom Marvolo Riddle, the man who is today known as Lord Voldemort, was conceived under a love potion.”

“Oh my god...” breathed Ginny.

“So you can see,” said Harry. “There is much more to love potions than meets the eye.”

“But...the potions that Fred and George sell can’t possibly be that strong,” she whispered.

“They were strong enough to make me fall for you...imagine what would’ve happened if you hadn’t stopped giving it to me.”

“Harry...my god I had no idea...”

“I know,” he said. “That’s why I’m telling you this story. And as a side note, Merope also thought that after enough time that Tom would love her for who she was, not because of a love potion. Which is, of course, why he left her, alone, heartbroken, and with a child who would soon be orphaned.”

Ginny looked sick. Without a moment’s notice she collapsed against the table in body-wracking sobs, covering her head with her arms.

“Gin,” said Harry, getting up and placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t,” she cried, shrugging him off. “I’m...I’m no better than he is.”

“You are infinitely better than Voldemort,” said Harry, crouching down so he could see some of her face. “You must also remember, that although she gave birth to him, Merope was not Voldemort either. From what I have seen of her, she was a kind and misunderstood woman who got dealt a very bad hand, and just wanted to have someone love her. Wanting love is not a crime.”

“I deserve to be thrown in Azkaban,” sobbed Ginny.

“No,” said Harry sternly, grabbing her shoulder and forcing her to sit up. “You are not a criminal. You’re misguided. I partially blame Molly for that...not letting her children to grow up and all.”

“But I...I used you,” sniffled Ginny.

“Yes, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy every moment of it,” said Harry softly with a smile. “I wish that you had been honest with me...we might’ve actually had something then.”

“No,” sighed Ginny, wiping her eyes. “We wouldn’t have.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Harry.

“Because you’re in love with Hermione, and she loves you back,” said Ginny softly.

“Why do you think that?” asked Harry.

“It’s so easy to see,” she sighed. “I think if it hadn’t been for stupid teenage hormones she might’ve worked it out last year instead of going for my idiot stud brother.”

Harry smiled and squeezed her hand softly.

“You’re a good person Gin,” he said kissing her lightly on the cheek. “And you’re going to make some bloke very happy one day.

“Thank you,” she replied, looking at him.

“We should get downstairs,” said Harry, rising to a standing base. “Don’t want to make people worry.”

“Right,” replied Ginny.

“And Gin?” asked Harry as he pressed the button for the lift. “Don’t tell anyone that story, no one needs to know of my knowledge about Voldemort’s past.”

“My lips are sealed,” she said with a smile.

“Good.”

“Hey, Harry?” she asked as the doors opened and they got inside.

“Yeah?”

“I still want to help you this year, if you’ll let me,” she said with a small smile.

“Of course,” replied Harry with a nod.

“I am sorry about everything, you know.”

“I know,” nodded Harry. “And I forgive you...I am pretty appealing, after all.”

“And without an ego to boot,” said Ginny sarcastically. Harry laughed.

“How did you do it though?” he asked. “You were giving me a love potion for months...I should’ve noticed you doing it.”

“I was good,” shrugged Ginny. “When you weren’t looking at breakfast I’d put one drop on my finger, then levitate it into your cup.”

“One drop wouldn’t do anything,” said Harry lifting an eyebrow.”

“I always made sure to whisper a refilling charm right as you started pouring,” she shrugged. “Of course, it copies the last thing in the container, so it would fill the goblet with potion while you were pouring.”

“Despite the fact that it was a morally incorrect thing to do,” said Harry contemplatively. “I give you credit. That’s pretty brilliant.”

“Thanks,” said Ginny sheepishly as the doors opened on the ground floor.

“Ginerva you come right here and –”

“She is forgiven,” said Harry interrupting Molly. “Her sin was against me, and me alone. Since I have forgiven her, punishment and further embarrassment is not necessary.”

“I...well, erm...” stammered Molly.

“Come on then,” said Harry to the group. “We could all use some ice cream. Fortescue may have gone missing last summer but I’ll bet you Tom has got something, and he could use the business. My treat,” he added, seeing the hesitant look on Ron’s face.”

“Alright,” said Tonks with a smile. “That sounds like a good idea.”

“Is everything alright,” asked Hermione as they all walked out of the shop, Fred barking at employees to make sure the shop was kept in good order while they were gone. Harry stared at her for a few seconds, then draped his arm across her shoulders as they walked.

“I think so,” he said softly to her. Hermione said nothing, she only smiled back and rested her head on his shoulder, her arm going around his waist as she did so.

=====

“Does everyone have everything?” yelled Molly over the bustle of everyone getting ready at the last minute.

“I think so,” replied Ron looking at his trunk, while Ginny rushed by him up the stairs to get a forgotten item.

“Well the car from the ministry gets here in five minutes,” said Molly helping to tidy up Harry’s trunk. “So be ready.” At that moment Ron cursed to himself and followed Ginny up the stairs to retrieve something from his room.

“I wonder why the ministry is lending us a car,” said Luna from her cross-legged perch on her trunk. Her father had been called away unexpectedly on a meeting, and had asked if the Weasleys could take her to the station with them.

“Probably to get on my good side...again,” chuckled Harry from next to her, watching Ron and Ginny run around the house grabbing things they’d forgotten.

“The minister wants your support, I imagine?” asked Luna.

“Yep,” laughed Harry as Ron tripped on the bottom stair and fell on his face.

“You wouldn’t be laughing if it was you,” grumbled Ron.

“No, but you would,” smiled Harry. Ron opened his mouth to retort and then closed it.

“Touche,” he nodded.

“Ooh, French, Ronald,” laughed Hermione from the doorway. “Congratulations, you’ve learned to speak a language other than Food.”

“Is this ‘pick on Ron’ day?” he asked, shoving a Chudley Cannons poster into his trunk.

“Every day is ‘pick on Ron’ day if the opportunity is right,” smiled Ginny, putting some clothes into her trunk.

“Funny, Gin,” nodded Ron with narrow eyes.

“They’re here!” exclaimed Molly, looking out the window. “Come on everyone, let’s go.”

It took them fifteen minutes to get the car loaded, but thanks to some handy enlargement charms, all of them fit comfortably into the single car, their trunks safely packed away in the boot.

“Wotcher, all!” exclaimed the driver as Harry got in last and closed the door.

“Tonks?” asked Hermione as the grey-haired driver turned around and smiled at them.

“Of course,” she said with a wink. “All in a day’s work, for an auror, after all. And this won’t be the last of me, I reckon.”

“What do you mean by that?” asked Harry.

“You’ll see,” replied Tonks with a conspirational wink.

The ride to King’s Cross passed fairly quickly, and in no time Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Ginny were shoving their trunks onto the train and waving goodbye to Molly and Tonks from their compartment.

“Look after yourselves!” yelled Molly from the platform.

“We will Mum!” yelled Ron in response. “I’ll owl you every week.”

“Don’t be sarcastic with me Ronald Weasley!” yelled Molly, though she was smiling. “See you all over Winter Hols!”

Harry waved to her and Tonks as the train pulled away, but just as he was about to turn back to the compartment, he swore he saw a rat sitting beside a trash can, looking at the people around it.

“Harry, what is it?” asked Hermione as he sat down in his seat next to her.

“I think I just saw Pettigrew,” sighed Harry. “Shame we can’t let anyone know now...seems McGonagal was right.”

“Headmistress McGonagal, if you would please,” said the woman standing outside their compartment. All five of them jumped in surprise.

“Sorry Professor,” breathed Harry.

“No worries,” she said with a stern smile. “You, Miss Granger, and Mister Weasley will need to report to the Prefect’s compartment for the meeting, after all.”

“Why am I going along?” asked Harry. “I was quidditch captain last year and didn’t have to join them.”

“You weren’t Head Boy last year,” said McGonagal offhandedly. Harry’s jaw dropped.

“Wh...what?” he asked.

“Head Boy,” reiterated McGonagal, growing impatient. “Surely you didn’t forget?”

“You never told me,” said Harry softly, amazed. “But what about...” he looked around quickly to make sure no one was standing outside. “What about the fact that we’re not really going to be around much this year?”

“With the reduced number of students, the responsibilities you and Miss Granger share will be greatly lightened,” said McGonagal. “And should anyone start to question your absence, I doubt they will question the Headmistress,” she added with a wink.

“What?!” exclaimed Hermione bolting up out of her seat. “You didn’t tell me I was Head Girl?”

“My dear girl was there ever a doubt?” asked McGonagal with a smile. “Oh, well now you know, here are your badges...obviously they weren’t sent to you by mail. I’ll be along in a while, you three get a move on and set a good example.”

“Yes ma’am,” said Harry, getting up. As soon as the door to the compartment was closed Hermione rounded on him.

“We’re Head Boy and Girl!” she yelled, her eyes dancing with excitement.

“Yes, Hermione, I kn –”

But before Harry could finish, Hermione had flung herself at him delight, her lips landing on his before either of them had a chance to react.

They stood there frozen, eyes wide, looking at each other for several seconds before Ron got up.

“I’ll er...get a head start,” he said. “You guys can catch up.” And without another word he left.

“Oh my god,” breathed Hermione, pulling away.

“Hermione...”

Harry had barely opened his mouth when Hermione turned and fled the compartment, a choked sob coming from her as the door slammed shut.

“Told you so,” chorused Luna and Ginny at the same time.

“This is not the time, nor the place,” chastised Harry. “I’ve got to find her.”

Lucky for him, he found Hermione in the first place he looked: the bathroom. He approached the sound of muffled sobs carefully and hesitantly knocked on the door.

“Occupied,” he heard her say shakily. Sighing, he drew his wand and tapped the doorknob while thinking ‘Alohamora,’ and a click later he opened the door to find Hermione sitting on the seat, her head in her hands.”

“Surely I can’t be that bad of a kisser,” he joked. “Even Cho didn’t react this badly.”

“Harry...” she whimpered looking up at him. “I am so sorry.”

“For what?” he asked, sliding inside and closing the door behind him.

“You told me...you said you weren’t ready...now I’ve gone and screwed everything up.”

“Hardly,” he said, wrapping his arms around her. Crying, she melted into his embrace and cried against his shoulder. “I still want to be with you very much.”

“Me too,” she whispered, dabbing at her eyes. “Stupid teenage hormones...getting me all teary.”

“It’s alright,” said Harry softly. “My opinion of you hasn’t changed at all.”

“I just kissed you, Harry,” said Hermione pointedly. “It was all...”

“Awkward?” asked Harry with a slight smile.

“Yeah,” she sighed, not letting go of him.

“It was unexpected,” smiled Harry. “But not unwelcome.”

“You mean that?” she asked. Harry nodded.

“And I promise you, once I get this mass of confusion that’s my mind all sorted out, I’ll make sure to give you the real kiss you deserve.”

Hermione leaned back and looked at him, her eyes slightly red but for the most part dry.

“You the most wonderful person I know,” she sighed. “I wish I had seen it years ago.”

“We weren’t ready years ago,” replied Harry. “We’re not ready quite yet.” He lifted his chin slightly and kissed her on the forehead. “Soon. I promise.”

=====

The prefects meeting was astoundingly boring, and Harry didn’t pay much attention to it, watching Hermione write down everything McGonagal was telling them on a piece of parchment.

After the meeting, Ron pulled them aside before they reached the compartment and into an unoccupied bathroom.

“Rather cramped for three people, Ron,” said Harry as he shoved them inside and closed the door behind him.

“Get over it,” he said. “What’s going on between you two?”

“Nothing,” said Harry truthfully.

Ron did the best he could to cross his arms in the tight space and gave Harry an appraising look.

“It’s true, Ron,” said Hermione. “We’re not dating. We just...”

“Yes?” asked Ron, lifting an eyebrow.

“We’re trying to figure everything out,” said Harry.

“How so?” asked Ron.

“Ron, I love Harry with all my heart,” said Hermione pointedly. Harry felt his heart skip a beat. “He just doesn’t know how to accept it yet.”

“So that’s what’s been going on?” asked Ron, looking at Harry. “You’re too bloody stupid to know a good thing when you see it?”

“Oh, I know a good thing,” replied Harry. “I just don’t know how to embrace it yet.”

“You’re as bloody mental as she is,” said Ron, shaking his head and turning to leave.

“Ron,” said Hermione, causing him to stop. “Think about how Harry grew up for a second...the only love he’s ever had was from his parents, and he doesn’t remember them. He doesn’t know what love is...and he wants to make sure he does for fear of hurting me.”

Ron turned and looked between Harry and Hermione for a few moments before sighing.

“It’s true Ron,” said Harry. “I’m scared to hell that I’d do something wrong and hurt Hermione.”

“I know,” sighed Ron. “And that’s why I’m not mad.”

“You’re not?” asked Harry and Hermione at the same time.

“Nope...just don’t let me catch the two of you snogging or anything, food tastes better on the way down, in my opinion.”

“Can we get out of here?” asked Hermione. “It’s much too cramped.”

Ron opened the door and the three of them spilled out, Hermione running into Ron’s arms as they did so.

“You’re a bloody goof,” she said with a smile. “Thank you for understanding.”

“Yeah well...it’s not like I’m totally alone in all of this,” he said as they started to walk back to the compartment.

“Luna likes you too,” commented Harry, causing Ron to look at him with an arched eyebrow. “You should ask her out.”

“Please,” laughed Ron. “After all the times I’ve made fun of her? She’d laugh at me.”

“She’d laugh at anyone,” noted Hermione. “But that laugh will be followed by a yes.”

“You think so?” asked Ron as they got close to your compartment.

“I know so,” replied Hermione. “Call it female intuition.”

“Can’t argue with that, I suppose,” laughed Ron as they re-entered their compartment.

“Can’t argue with what?” asked Luna as they sat down.

“Er...nothing,” said Ron. “Just prefect stuff.”

“Ohh,” said Luna nodding. “So how was the meeting?”

“It was fine,” shrugged Hermione. “Just the usual stuff.”

“You’re going to have to give me a refresher,” whispered Harry to Hermione. She turned around to face him sternly, but relaxed slightly when she saw the sheepish look on his face. “I was paying more attention to you than McGonagal.”

“While it’s not a valid excuse,” she whispered. “I’ll overlook it this one time.”

“Thanks,” replied Harry, putting his arm around her shoulders. Smiling she settled into his embrace as Ron and Luna began a discussion about Quigglies.

The day waned as the train continued to speed towards its destination, and as twilight turned to dusk, Harry noticed that the sky was overcast, giving a sense of foreboding.

“What is it?” asked Hermione, sensing him tense.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry, looking out the window. He glanced over at Ron and Luna’s now sleeping forms and sighed. “I’ve just got a bad feeling.”

“About what?” she asked, sitting up.

“Something’s not right,” sighed Harry, looking outside as the school became visible far in the distance.

“You’re going back to Hogwarts,” said Hermione, placing her hand on his arm. “Without Dumbledore.”

“Yeah...” said Harry slowly. “That’s probably it.”

Privately, he didn’t think that had a single thing to do with it.

=====

When assembled in the Great Hall, it was clear that easily one-third of the school’s population hadn’t returned...several people Harry knew were absent.

“Me Mum almost persuaded me not to come back,” said Seamus, sitting down near them. “But I wouldn’t have it. I abandoned ye once, Harry. I’m not about to do that again.”

“I appreciate it,” nodded Harry with a smile.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all sat in an anxious silence, eager for the sorting to begin, though Harry still couldn’t shake the feeling that something was amiss.

“Would you look at that,” chuckled Ron. “Slughorn returned.”

Harry looked up quickly at the staff table, and sure enough, there was Horace Slughorn, though looking much older than he had the previous year. Harry also noted, that a strange woman with long white hair was sitting next to him, presumably the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was about to point this out to Ron and Hermione when, with a bang, the doors to the Great Hall opened, and Flitwick entered followed by –

“Eight,” whispered Ron. “Eight first years.”

“That’s the lowest number in the history of Hogwarts,” sighed Hermione as the children followed Flitwick up to the stool that the Sorting Hat sat on. “People must be terrified.”

“Shh,” hushed Ginny. “The Hat’s about to start.”

The hat opened at the brim as it had in years past, but instead of the song almost everyone present was accustomed to, it spoke in a low and serious voice Harry had never heard before.

Time is passing, the end grows near
Too late for pause, too late for fear
Darkness deepens, the shadows grow
Fading light brings a herald of woe
Evil rises from the west
One that sleeps but knows no rest
Light rises from the east
Jeered and caged but an untamed beast
Despair lingers in the south
Created and breathed by evil’s mouth
Hope resides to the north
Small and powerful yet when called comes forth
The Stone Circle they form
The emotions of man
From the four powers life is born
Or thrown back to where it began
He who is the Chosen One
Must find the powers and unite
Only then can victory come
A war, a battle, a final fight
And though one is one, ten is ten,
Allies come as a thousand men
One man’s battle is a thousand men’s war
Search your hearts, fight you care for
The tools of war, I shall provide
But pick carefully friends, when you choose your side
For when the bell tolls
For when the fires rise
Summon courage from your souls
Raise your swords to the skies
The Circle will end the conflict at hand,
The wars of life, the battle of man
When it is over, and all is done
The knight will stand, triumphant and tall
And by the light of the dying sun
Darkness or light, one shall fall
For those of the light
Follow your knight
Be strong and sharp and steadfast through the night.
For the darkness will fall
And hope shall prevail
Answer the cry of battle’s call
Lest the light shall fail
Of valiance, of courage, and of loyalty sing,
Stand at arms, unite under the king.

No applause followed. Silence reigned supreme throughout the hall as the hat lifted its brim one more time, but instead of speaking, revealed a bracelet made of stone with several runic inscriptions on it.

Without speaking, though obviously stunned, Flitwick picked up the bracelet and handed it to McGonagal, who pocketed it without another thought.

Harry paid no attention to the sorting, his mind was too focused on what the hat had said. It had distinctly used the words ‘Chosen One’ and for that reason Harry couldn’t help but feel that the message involved him.

“Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts!” yelled McGonagal, as the last student took her place at the Hufflepuff table to scattered applause. “Before we being, I would like to introduce your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Miss Dora Tinks.”

“Harry,” nudged Hermione excitedly. “It’s Tonks!”

“Are you sure?” asked Ron as the woman stood up and waved to the applause of the student body.

“With a name like that?” asked Hermione, smugly. “She did say she’d be seeing us again soon, didn’t she?”

“I suppose,” chuckled Ron, as she sat back down.

“I will have words after the feast,” said McGonagal. “So for now, enjoy the wonderful food!”

The usual feast appeared on the table in front of Harry, but he had lost his appetite. Sighing, he looked at McGonagal who was in deep conversation with Tonks (or at least he assumed it was Tonks).

The meal ended none too soon for Harry, and with a flourish McGonagal stood up.

“It saddens me to say that due to the events of this past summer, not as many of you are here as we all would’ve liked. I feel, therefore, that a moment of silence for Albus Dumbledore is in order, since it is his passing that has caused our numbers to weaken so.”

She bowed her head and the hall was deathly quiet for a few seconds until she raised her head again. “Our late headmaster’s death has had a grave impact on us all. Though we may fear for what has passed and what comes, we must remember to persevere, if not for yourself, for the ones who love you.”

Hermione squeezed Harry’s hand under the Gryffindor table.

“As many of you have deduced, I have taken Albus’ place as Headmistress, and Professor Flitwick as my Deputy. School lists were obviously not sent out this year, and due to a very generous contribution from the Ministry, everything was purchased beforehand and has already been delivered to your rooms. Now then, as classes start tomorrow, it is time for you all to get a good night’s sleep!”

The students rose and began to file out of the Great Hall, the usual chatter having resumed among them.

“C’mon Harry,” said Hermione, dragging him to the head of the crowd. “We have to lead them to the common room, remember?”

“Oh yeah,” said Harry, still not used to his Head Boy duties.

“First years over here!” called Hermione, waving the three students who had been sorted into their house over. Ron snorted.

“You’re so nice to them,” he smiled.

“Better than being a git,” retorted Hermione with a smile.

“What’s the password?” whispered Harry as they began ascending the stairs.

“Nitwit,” replied Hermione as they reached the seventh floor. “This portrait is the entrance to our common room,” she elaborated to the first years. “Speak the password to enter.”

“Nitwit,” said a young girl with straight brown hair.

“Very good,” smiled Hermione as the door swung open.

They walked inside and after a brief discussion about the dormitories, Hermione sent them off to bed.

“Well, I’m knackered,” said Ron, stretching. “I’m gonna head up.”

“Oh no you don’t,” said Hermione, pulling him down onto the couch. “We’re talking about what happened tonight.”

Ron rolled his eyes as the three of them sat there and waited for about ten minutes while everyone arrived and went upstairs. Harry was happy to see that Dean and Neville had also returned, and waved them hello as they passed.

“Do you mind if I sit in?” asked Ginny, sitting next to Ron. “Seeing as I know what you’re all going to talk about.”

“Be my guest,” shrugged Ron. A few minutes later the common room was clear, and Harry sat up.

“I don’t remember what the hat said word for word, so when I get the chance I’ll ask to view the memory in the pensieve and write it down,” he said, not wasting any time.

“What do you think it meant by it?” asked Ron. “D’you think it was advice or something...more?”

“It was something more,” said Hermione, standing by the window, looking down on the grounds. “It was almost like a riddle.”

“And the bracelet,” added Ginny. “Didn’t it say something about providing tools of war?”

“I doubt it’s a coincidence that the bracelet is also a stone circle,” sighed Hermione. “The two have to be connected.”

“The stone circle,” said Ron contemplatively. “Something about evil in the west...light in the east...”

“Despair in the south and hope in the north,” finished Harry as Ron trailed off. “That doesn’t tell us anything.”

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to find out anything concrete until we speak with McGonagal,” said Hermione, turning around. “So we should do it soon.”

“Tomorrow,” said Harry. “At breakfast.”

“I agree,” replied Hermione.

“Well if that’s settled,” said Ron, getting up. “I’m really tired. Night you guys.”

“I’m with him,” said Ginny, also rising to her feet as Ron walked up the stairs and out of sight. “Don’t stress too hard over this Harry, it can’t be that bad.”

“It can always be that bad,” laughed Harry dryly. Ginny gave a small chuckle and walked over to the stairs leading to the girls’ dorms, disappearing a moment later.

Sighing, Harry walked over to Hermione who was now looking down on the grounds again, and put his hands on her shoulders.

“I’m not as optimistic as Ginny,” she sighed, nuzzling his right hand with her cheek. “I don’t see how anything good can come of this.”

“I don’t know,” said Harry honestly. “The hat did finish with advice on how to win...it’s on our side...I think.”

“And I thought we were going to have enough to do with horcruxes,” sighed Hermione, leaning back into Harry.

“There’s always something,” he laughed, wrapping his arms around her body. “But we’ll get through it.”

“Together,” smiled Hermione, taking his hand in hers.

“Together,” he echoed. She turned to look at him and he had the fleeting notion to kiss her when a movement on the grounds caught his eye. “What’s that?”

Hermione turned to look and squinted through the glass.

“Where?” she asked.

“By the forest,”said Harry. There was something hunched over, moving at a slow pace towards the school. Brow furrowed, his drew his wand and pointed it at the staircase leading to the boys’ dormitory. “Accio Marauder’s Map.”

The parchment whizzed into his outstretched hand a moment later and he quickly tapped it with his wand, uttering the incantation.

“There,” he said pointing to a dot on the grounds, moving slowly. “What the...?”

The dot had no label.

“We need to get down there,” said Harry, backing towards the portrait hole. “Get Ron.”

Hermione nodded and flew up the stairs, returning a moment later with Ron, who looked grumpy but alert.

“Let’s go,” said Harry, leading them out of the common room with his wand drawn.

They sprinted down to the Entrance Hall and stood by the doors for a moment before opening them a crack.

From where he was standing, the figure looked to be a human, crawling towards them, one arm dangling limply at its side. Harry was about to go out to aid the person, when the figure collapsed not far from the doors, hitting the ground with a dull thud.

“Come on,” said Harry, leading the way out onto the grounds. “Lumos.”

They reached the body quickly, the light from Harry’s wand revealing that the person had sustained many injuries...the hooded cloak was torn and bloodied, and the arm that had been hanging limply was bent grotesquely in different directions.

“Get help,” Harry instructed Ron. Ron nodded and sprinted off towards the headmistress’ quarters. “We need to see who it is,” he said to Hermione.

She nodded and doing his best not to further the injuries to the person, used his wand to turn the body over.

Hermione gasped.

“Harry...” she breathed. “It’s Draco.”

---------------

::Hums innocently whilst angry mobs sharpen rocks::

You like? Let me know! And I promise to make an effort to write the next chapter faster, with or without reviews. Until next time!

8. Past and Present

Well now, aren’t I an idiot. Thankfully, only ONE person managed to catch my mistake that in one of the scenes below WWW, I said it was Fred speaking instead of George. I have since then fixed the error, and I thank you (you know who you are) for bringing it up. This is why I need reviews, people! ::wink::

Back on track though, I’d like to continue to thank all of you for your support. Seeing 20 reviews for the last chapter in its first day was really heart-warming, despite my updating problem. I’m starting to average 30 a chapter, and I must say, you all are spoiling me quite badly. I don’t know what I’d do if a 15 review chapter hit me now...lol j/k of course. But please, do remember to review.

There’s an important note at the bottom concerning the next update, so please read it if you don’t want a rude surprise two weeks from now.

N u kn0 I roxxorz ur soxxorz. Hehehe, two points to anyone who can tell me what language that is (you have to spell it correctly too).

Nothing else for this week, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 8: Past and Present

“He had an Unplottable charm on himself,” said Madam Pomfrey, arms crossed. “Seems like it was the only way he could get away and not be found.”

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and McGonagal were all standing in the Hospital Ward, Draco’s body lying motionless on a bed in the background.

“That would explain why the map didn’t show him,” whispered Hermione into Harry’s ear.

“What was he carrying?” asked McGonagal.

“His wand,” sighed Madam Pomfrey. “Nothing else.”

“What was he running from?” asked Harry, peeking around the nurse to look at Draco’s unmoving form.

“Death Eaters, most likely,” shrugged McGonagal. “He failed in his mission to kill Albus, after all...though I didn’t think they would be so harsh on him.”

“Is he going to make it?” asked Hermione, standing next to Harry.

“It’s early yet, but I’m optimistic,” said Pomfrey. “His internal organs have suffered severe damage, but they’re all intact...and despite his major blood loss I’ve had enough Replenishing Potions to see that he doesn’t run out.”

“And his arm?” asked Ron, eyeing Draco carefully.

“Broken in six places,” replied Pomfrey, crossing her arms. “Nothing that a good charm won’t fix...but I want to wait to do that until he’s stabilized.”

“Let us know if anything changes,” said McGonagal before walking briskly from the ward. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged a glance before hurrying off after her.

“Professor,” called Harry, jogging to catch up.

“Yes?” asked McGonagal tiredly.

“What’s going on?” asked Harry bluntly. McGonagal gave Harry, Ron, and Hermione an appraising look before sighing and turning around to head down the corridor.

“Follow me,” she said, walking away.

The four of them walked in silence the entire way, the password to McGonagal’s office (Ice Mice) the only words spoken until they reached their destination.

“I suppose you three want to know about what happened tonight at the feast?” asked McGonagal, sitting in a chair in front of the fireplace rather than behind her desk.

“Yes,” replied Harry, taking a seat with Ron and Hermione. “Especially about the bracelet.”

McGonagal sighed and withdrew the circlet from her robes. Wordlessly, she handed it to Hermione who squinted at the runes on the band.

“I don’t recognize any of these,” she said after a moment. “I’m sure with a little research though…”

“There are only four symbols that I am familiar with on that bracelet,” said McGonagal. “And they each represent one of the four aspects that the Sorting Hat spoke of.”

“Evil, Light, Despair, and Hope,” recited Ron. McGonagal nodded. “So what does that mean?”

“I don’t know,” frowned McGonagal.

“What about this…’Chosen One’?” asked Harry

“There is…a tale,” said McGonagal slowly. “A story even more ridiculous and hard to believe than that of the Chamber of Secrets…”

“What is it?” asked Harry and Hermione at the same time. McGonagal smiled warily at them.

“Long ago, before the founders…perhaps even before Merlin, there was a great war,” she said sagely, gazing into the fire. “A great war between the muggles and the magical.”

“We won, obviously,” said Ron without thinking.

“Yes, they won, Ronald, but not without sustaining heavy losses,” continued McGonagal. “As you have seen already…there are non-magical tools such as guns that not even our practises can protect against, just as there are many elements of magic that no muggle could stand up to.”

“But they didn’t have guns that long ago,” said Hermione. “Right?”

“Correct, but the muggles outnumbered the witches and wizards tenfold,” sighed McGonagal. “And although numbers do not win a battle outright, they certainly help.”

“So what happened?” asked Harry.

“Supposedly an extremely powerful but unnamed wizard ended the war himself,” said the headmistress. “He had help of course…the details are unknown, but after all was said and done, he united the two sides and there was a Golden Age of peace between muggles and wizard alike. He reigned over both worlds and brought prosperity to both sides.”

“What happened to him?” asked Hermione.

“He was assassinated by rebellious muggles in his sleep,” frowned McGonagal. “And the kingdom descended into war once more. It was around that time that all the wizards banded together and forged the barrier between the two worlds…in order to prevent such a conflict from happening again. It took many years, but the muggles were all Obliviated, and those with magic hid themselves away to live their own lives. The two worlds have been apart ever since.”

“So what does that have to do with us?” asked Ron after a few moments where no one spoke.

“The tale says that one day a new king would rise during the world’s darkest hour and purge the evil from the land…and unite the peoples again,” said McGonagal. “Of course…I don’t think it will ever be possible to unite the wizarding and muggle worlds…but perhaps…”

“You think it’s me,” whispered Harry.

“This story that I have told you,” said McGonagal, choosing to ignore Harry’s comment. “Is so preposterous…so inane…”

“Then how come you know it?” asked Hermione.

“It’s a wizard fairly tale that many parents tell their children,” sighed McGonagal. “Ask your mother, Ronald, I’m sure she knows it too.”

“You think…you think that Harry is…the king?” asked Hermione.

“I do not know what to think,” sighed McGonagal. “But I don’t think we can rule that possibility out at this point.”

“The four forces,” said Harry slowly. “What does that have to do with the story?”

“Like I said before, I have no idea,” said McGonagal. “Though, if I had to make a guess I would say it involves something that the ‘king’ would have to do to rise to his throne.”

“Can we hold on to this?” asked Hermione, holding up the bracelet. “So we can study it?”

“No…anything with this much potential to power needs to be kept safe,” said McGonagal. “You may transcribe the runes, however.”

Hermione nodded and McGonagal summoned some parchment and a quill with a flourish of her hand.

“Do you think that this has anything to do with me fighting Voldemort?” asked Harry as Hermione scribbled away on the parchment.

“Perhaps…” said McGonagal. “Then again perhaps not. It is just too early to tell at this point.”

“As if I don’t have enough on my plate as it is,” scoffed Harry, looking at the floor.

“We’ll work through this, Harry,” said Hermione, putting her hand on his shoulder. “Together.”

“Thank you,” he whispered.

“I think it is time for the three of you to go to bed,” smiled McGonagal. “You do have classes tomorrow, and it might do well to show up at least for the first day.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione nodded and left the office with more questions than they had entered with.

=====

The next morning at breakfast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione filled Ginny and Luna in on what had happened the previous evening, from Draco’s appearance to their conversation with McGonagal.

“What do you make of all of this?” asked Ginny, leaning forward slightly.

“I have no bloody clue,” sighed Harry.

“Do you think it has to do with you, Harry?” asked Luna, not looking up from her copy of the Quibbler.

“I know it has to do with me,” he replied. “I just don’t know how.”

“We’ll figure it out,” smiled Hermione, taking Harry’s hand under the table. “We always do.”

“Hey guys.”

The five of them looked up to see Neville standing there sheepishly.

“Hey Nev, have a seat,” smiled Ron, motioning to the empty space next to Ginny.

“Thanks,” replied Neville, sitting down. “I don’t want to be out of line here or anything...but I was wondering about what the Sorting Hat said...”

“And you wanted to hear our take on it?” asked Harry warily.

“I wanted to know if I can help,” said Neville, fidgeting slightly. “I know I’m not much use, but I know loads about plants...though I’m sure Hermione knows more, and I’d really just like to –”

“Neville,” interrupted Ginny, placing her hand on his arm. “Calm down.”

“Sorry,” he said, red in the face.

“Nev, you’ve always been a good friend, and you were there when others weren’t,” said Harry, extending his hand. “You’re more than welcome to help out.”

Neville looked up and, after a moment, shook Harry’s outstretched hand with a smile.

“Thanks,” he said with a small grin.

“If I may ask though,” said Harry, popping a small piece of bacon into his mouth. “What’s your motive?”

Neville turned a faint shade of pink, but the quick glance he cast in Ginny’s direction didn’t go unnoticed by Harry or Hermione.

“We’ll bring you up to speed later,” said Harry, quickly, trying to avoid that particular conversation for the time being.

“Ronald,” she Luna, not looking up. Ron jumped as though he had been poked; he had been staring dreamily at her without paying attention to anything that had transpired. “It’s not polite to stare.”

“Sorry,” he said, properly ashamed. Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville all shared a grin at this.

“It’s quite alright,” she said, smiling for him. “You more than make up for it with your boyish charm.”

“Err...thanks, I think,” smiled Ron.

“Well, we should get to class,” said Hermione, gathering up her things. “We have Defense Against the Dark Arts first, after all.”

“Let us know how that goes,” called out Ginny as Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Neville got up and exited the Great Hall.

“Hey, Ron,” said Hermione, once they were in the corridors. “Do you think I could have a word with you?”

“Erm...sure?” he replied, raising an eyebrow. She and Ron fell back, leaving Harry and Neville up front.

“So you like Ginny?” asked Harry bluntly. Neville recoiled as though stung.

“I’m sorry, Harry...I didn’t mean to interfere –”

“It’s alright Nev,” said Harry with a laugh. “There’s nothing going on between me and her.”

“There isn’t?” asked Neville.

“No, I’m rather keen on someone else at the moment,” replied Harry with a small smile, casting a quick glance at Hermione behind him.

“Ohhh,” said Neville, the realisation dawning on him. “I’ve always thought you two would end up together.”

“Me and Hermione?” asked Harry. Neville nodded. “What makes you say that?”

“You’re both so alike in so many ways,” he replied with a shrug. “It’s like...you two complete each other, if that makes any sense.” He reddened as he finished his sentence.

“It’s alright Nev, you’re not wrong,” said Harry, putting his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I need her in my life more than anything else.”

“I kind of feel the same way about Ginny, you know,” sighed Neville. “I shouldn’t though.”

“Why?” asked Harry.

“Well I don’t really know her, do I?” he shrugged. “I mean, the Yule Ball was one of the best nights of my life, and I think she enjoyed herself too, but I never hang out with her...or you guys.”

“Which is why you want to help,” finished Harry. “Nev, I’m all for it, but you do know what you’re getting yourself into here. She won’t entertain the notion of you tagging along just to be in her presence...you’re going to have to help pull the load.”

“And I plan on it,” said Neville with conviction. “He...he’s the reason my parents are the way they are...”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Nev,” said Harry softly.

“I owe it to them...and to myself to help you get the bastard,” replied Neville as they reached the classroom.

“You’ve come a long way Neville,” said Harry with a grin as they paused outside the room to wait for Hermione and Ron. “Just treat her well.”

“What makes you think she’ll even go for me?” asked Neville.

“Just a hunch,” replied Harry with a wink.

“We all set?” asked Hermione, catching up with them. Harry nodded and they all entered the classroom.

The purpose to arriving ten minutes early was that Harry, Ron, and Hermione wanted to see if they could have a word with Tonks, but she was nowhere in sight. Harry noted that the walls were devoid of the grotesque pictures Snape had up the previous year.

“Oh well, at least I can get a slight head start on the reading,” sighed Hermione, sitting down at her usual desk.

“Fancy a quick game of chess, Harry?” asked Ron, pulling out a miniature chess set.

“Oh why not,” sighed Harry, sitting down next to Hermione. “I’m sure you’ll beat me twice before class starts anyway.” Neville sat down on the other side of Ron to watch the match.

As it turned out, luck was on Harry’s side as he only lost once before Tonks entered the room and closed the door behind her, the assembled students quieting quickly.

“I am not a lenient instructor,” she said seriously. “A time is coming when you all will have to defend yourselves, and I am more than serious about making sure you’re all ready for it.”

Harry arched an eyebrow at Hermione who shrugged and smiled.

“Now then, we will be spending the greater part of the term practising combative spells nonverbally,” said Tonks, moving to the blackboard. “Once I am satisfied with your performance, we will move on to the theory behind Dark spells, so that you may know better how to counter them. Any questions?”

Everyone stayed silent.

“Good. Then let us begin.”

Harry thought that there was much improvement over last year this time; although a lot of the students couldn’t cast the spells with the power many would hope for, everyone in the class was at least capable of casting each spell Tonks gave them, however weak it may have been.

The bell signaling the end of class rang what seemed like only minutes later, and Harry actually checked his watch to make sure that an hour and a half actually had passed.

“The time really flew, didn’t it?” asked Hermione, a thin sheen of sweat on her forehead. Harry suddenly had the urge to snog her senseless, but trounced it.

“You three,” said Tonks, pointing at Harry, Ron, and Hermione as the rest of the class filed out. “Stay back for a minute.”

When the classroom was empty, Tonks shut the door with a wave of her wand and sat down behind her desk.

“Wotcher, Tonks,” said Hermione with a smile on her face. Tonks’ jaw dropped.

“Blimey it can’t have been THAT easy to tell!” she exclaimed, changing back to her usual form.

“To anyone who doesn’t know your full name, maybe,” smiled Harry.

“I knew I should’ve been more original,” huffed Tonks, standing up.

“It’s so much more endearing this way though,” smiled Hermione. Tonks narrowed her eyes at her but smiled nonetheless.

“So what’re you doing here?” asked Ron.

“On assignment from the ministry,” sighed Tonks, shuffling through some papers. “All in a day’s work, for an auror, after all.”

“You are aware that the job is cursed,” said Harry, crossing his arms.

Tonks looked up at him appraisingly but shook her head.

“You know that’s rubbish, Harry,” she said.

“Just...be careful with it,” sighed Harry. “I’ve only seen one person come out of this job relatively unscathed, and it’s your boyfriend.”

Though she was looking down, Tonks’ cheeks reddened at this.

“Getting a bit embarrassed?” asked Ron with a grin.

“Hush, Ronald,” chuckled Hermione.

“Tonks and Remus sitting in a tree –”

“If you finish that sentence,” began Tonks, looking up. “I’ll make sure to mention a certain blonde-haired Ravenclaw to your brothers the next time I see them.”

This time, it was Ron’s turn to flush.

“H-how did you find out about that?” he asked nervously.

“If you are going to speak about matters like that,” smiled Tonks. “You might not want to do so in such a public place as, oh, I don’t know, the hallway of the Hogwart’s Express?”

“You were there?” asked Harry.

“Having an invisibility cloak has its advantages, wouldn’t you say, Harry?” asked Tonks with a smile. “Now then...seeing as we do have lives to live, you three should be off to your next period.”

“Right then,” said Harry, smiling as Tonks changed back to her teacher form. “See you around.”

“Wotcher, you lot.”

“I’ve got Runes next,” said Hermione as they exited the classroom. “How bout you two?”

“Free period,” chorused Harry and Ron at the same time. Hermione huffed.

“Well spend it doing something productive, like trying to find out something about the you-know-whats.”

“Will do,” said Harry as Hermione turned and walked down the hall.

“C’mon,” said Ron, turning in the other direction. “Just cuz we’re going to the library doesn’t mean we can’t have a game or two of chess while we’re there.”

“Such a one-track mind, Ron,” laughed Harry.

“Well it’s the only thing I’m better than you at,” smiled Ron. “I have to rub it in any way that I can.”

=====

“Did you find anything?” asked Hermione as she took her seat next to Harry and Ron at their usual table in the back of the dungeon classroom used for Potions.

“No,” said Harry honestly. He and Ron had looked for information on the known relics of the founders after Ron had beat him four successive games, but had come up empty handed.

“Well I asked Professor Gyliad if he had seen any of the runes before, but he only recognised the ones that McGonagal told us about,” sighed Hermione. “He did tell me that they looked Celtic though, so I suppose that’s at least someplace to start.”

“Wonder what that is,” muttered Ron, pointing to something covered by a sheet on top of Slughorn’s desk.

“Probably a new and spectacular potion,” smiled Harry, pulling out his new copy of Advanced Potion Making, though the old one was still hidden in the bottom of his trunk in case he ever needed some insight into Snape’s mind.

“Welcome back everyone!” exclaimed Slughorn, striding in the classroom and turning around to face them once he reached the front. “It is good to see so many of you back this year.”

“At least he doesn’t seem to miss Malfoy too much,” sniggered Ron under his breath.

“As this is your N.E.W.T. year, I will be working you all harder than ever to help you achieve that Outstanding each and every one of you is capable of,” said Slughorn with a smile. “We will therefore begin with a new potion, and a very difficult one at that. I give you the Wolfsbane Potion!”

There was an audible gasp in the class as Slughorn pulled back the sheet to reveal a black cauldron with a simmering purple liquid. Harry gave Hermione a slight smile at this.

“Does anyone know what this potion does?” asked Slughorn with a grin. Hermione’s hand shot into the air along with Ron’s and Harry’s. “Now why am I not surprised?” he asked with a laugh. “Go on then, Mister Weasley.”

Hermione looked slightly taken aback that Slughorn had called on Ron, but said nothing as she lowered her hand slowly.

“Er…it helps to control someone affected by lycanthropy during the full moon,” said Ron sheepishly.

“Quite correct!” exclaimed Slughorn. “Ten points to Gryffindor.” Ron beamed. “Now, I would like each of you to try and create this potion based on the instructions in your books. It is a very difficult potion to brew, and will take more than just this one class to master, so please do not be discouraged if at first you don’t succeed. Begin!”

The class came to a halt about an hour later. Hermione’s had been the best by far, but Slughorn had been very impressed with Harry’s potion nonetheless, and was in the process of pouring some into a vial when he stopped and turned.

“I’ve been meaning to talk to you,” he said. The pointed look he was giving Harry made him think that this conversation was to be private.

“Give us a minute guys?” he asked, turning to Ron and Hermione.

“Sure,” shrugged Hermione, dragging Ron out of the classroom by his arm.

“Rather interesting song by the Sorting Hat, don’t you think?” asked Slughorn.

“Er...yes,” said Harry warily.

“What do you think of it?” asked Slughorn, stoppering the vial.

“Not much,” shrugged Harry. “I didn’t really understand it much.”

“Hmm...but of course, you were muggle raised,” contemplated Slughorn. “You wouldn’t know about the myths and legends of our kind that your parents knew.”

“You mean about the king who united the muggle and magical worlds?” asked Harry, thinking of the story McGonagal had told him.

“That is a fable,” said Slughorn slowly, as if trying to decide whether or not to divulge his information. “I’m talking about legendary people...legendary places.”

“Like what?” his curiosity piqued. Slughorn paused here.

“Your interest in the pursuit of knowledge is not unlike your mother’s,” sighed Slughorn reminiscently. “But I would ask you if you truly wanted to know what I do.”

“I would answer that there is nothing you could tell me that would surprise me anymore,” said Harry, crossing his arms.

“The story which you spoke of,” began Slughorn. “Is, in fact, true.”

“How would you know that?” asked Harry.

“You forget Harry,” said Slughorn with a crooked smile. “That I am very well connected with certain...people. Fine wine and crystallised pineapple aren’t the only things I crave, after all.”

“Okay...?” said Harry, confused.

“There is a reason that I know so much about the world,” said Slughorn, walking up to his desk and sitting down behind it. “It is because I, like yourself, your mother, and a certain brown-haired girl whom you seem to fancy quite a bit, have an undying thirst for knowledge.”

“I don’t know if you could call me that...” said Harry slowly.

“Oh but you do!” exclaimed Slughorn, pointing a finger in the air. “I have seen it. Your interest is not in book knowledge like Miss Granger’s, not that there’s anything wrong with that. You, my dear boy, crave the unknown.”

“I doubt that I would call it ‘craving’...”

“What about the Philosopher’s Stone?” asserted Slughorn. “The Chamber of Secrets? The Department of Mysteries!”

“Professor!” exclaimed Harry, taken aback. “There were people in danger in each of those situations! I wouldn’t voluntarily go there just for...information!”

“But Harry,” smiled Slughorn. “Can you tell me with complete honesty that your curiosity in each of those places or objects didn’t help push you along? That somewhere in the back of your mind you wondered about the truth behind it all, and not just about those in danger?”

Harry bit back his answer...mostly because he knew Slughorn was right.

“You even tried to learn something dark and dangerous from me last year,” said Slughorn darkly. “I feel that perhaps...maybe I should have told you...perhaps it could’ve stopped certain things from happening...”

“Sir...I don’t think that’s true,” said Harry, not wanting to divulge that he already knew his teacher’s secret.

“I beg to differ...and I think you should know,” said Slughorn, bolstering himself. “I once told You-Know-Who about –”

“Horcruxes,” finished Harry with a sigh. “I know.”

“You....you knew?” said Slughorn, deflated. “H-how?”

“You gave me the memory the night that Aragog died,” sighed Harry. “You got drunk.”

“The acromantula?” asked Slughorn, brow furrowed. “I always thought something strange had happened...”

Harry didn’t really know what to say, so they stood in silence for a few seconds before Slughorn spoke again.

“How did you do it?” he asked. “How did you figure out your plan?”

“You helped me with it,” Harry couldn’t resist saying. Slughorn looked at him curiously for a few seconds then gave him an enormous grin.

“Felix!” he exclaimed. “My boy, you truly are as brilliant as your mother. So...you know all about the you-know-whats then...do you?”

“Yes,” nodded Harry. “If I may ask you though, why tell me now?”

“Hmm?”

“Why wait?” asked Harry. “Why were you going to tell me now if you wouldn’t tell me before?”

“Well,” said Slughorn with a sad smile. “I figure if they can get to Dumbledore...I wouldn’t stand a bloody chance if I was a wanted man.”

“They can’t get to me,” Harry pointed out.

“False,” stated Slughorn. “They’ve already gotten to you on numerous occasions...you just get out of them every time.”

“I suppose,” shrugged Harry. “Listen, sir, I have another class...is there a point to all of this?”

“Of course, my boy,” said Slughorn with a smile. “As I said...we both have a thirst for knowledge. Mine has led me to some extraordinary information in my day.”

“Like this legend you were going to tell me about?” asked Harry.

“Yes...” said Slughorn. “What I tell you here...you cannot repeat to anyone else.”

“Even my friends?” asked Harry.

“Perhaps those you trust not to blab,” said Slughorn simply. “Because if anyone found out I know about this stuff, I’d be a marked man faster than you can say ‘magic’.”

“Alright,” replied Harry curiously.

“There have been many kings of the wizarding world in our history,” said Slughorn. “In theory, Dumbledore was the last one.”

“Dumbledore?” asked Harry.

“Yes, for you see, according to the ancient laws, he who could govern the people and the peace was to be king,” said Slughorn. “Although he wasn’t the minister, Dumbledore held more influence over the masses than those two blubbering idiots who have held the office ever could. And he killed a Dark Lord, thus bringing peace to the land. Do you know what defines a Dark Lord, Harry?”

“...no,” said Harry after a moment, never having really thought about it.

“A horcrux.”

The air in the dungeon classroom hung in thick silence at those two words. Harry frowned and looked up at Slughorn.

“The creation of a horcrux makes you a Dark Lord?” asked Harry.

“Yes,” sighed Slughorn. “And I regret that I did not possess this knowledge until after I had told Tom Riddle the secrets of them.”

“Well, what’s so special about being a Dark Lord?” asked Harry. “Aside from having the name?”

“Harry, the name is everything!” exclaimed the potions teacher. “My dear boy, do you ever think that people in the ancient days would’ve paid two looks to some of the people who were their leaders had they not carried the title of king?”

“Not really...”

“So many sovereigns in history...not just ours, either, couldn’t put two plus two together!” exclaimed Slughorn. “Had they not been born into royalty, they would more than likely have rotted in the streets along with the other peasants...there was no wit or cunning about these people. Yet, the title, the name of king made them who they are.”

“So a Dark Lord...is a king of the Dark Arts?” asked Harry slowly.

“Excatly, my boy!” smiled Slughorn, clapping him on the shoulder. “And only a king of the light can bring one down.

Harry looked up at Slughorn with apprehension.

“But...what if I’m not –”

“Harry, if there was any doubt in my mind last year, there is none now,” said Slughorn seriously. “After seeing what you’ve done...what you can do...you are destined to lead the people through this dark age.”

“But...people don’t follow me!” exclaimed Harry desperately. “I can’t influence people like Dumbledore could!”

“Yes, you can,” said Slughorn with a small smile. “Dumbledore’s Army?”

“But that...that was just a club,” said Harry, slightly deflated.

“You created it to help the students when the Ministry would not,” said Slughorn, crossing his arms. “Something I still haven’t completely forgiven them for.”

“What are you telling me?” asked Harry.

“Of all the kings of the wizarding world, one will end the madness, the conflict,” said Slughorn. “One would succeed where others had failed. And to do that, he would have to unite the four aspects.”

“Sir, assuming for one strange second that we’re actually talking about me,” said Harry slowly. “Why would I have to do all this kingly stuff? Why couldn’t I just finish off Voldemort and be done with it?”

“Because I do not believe that is possible,” sighed Slughorn. “You have of course heard that before all things fade, they go through a point where they are at their strongest?”

“Something like that,” nodded Harry.

“Recall the words Tom Riddle said to me in that memory, Harry...think back to what he said.”

‘Wouldn’t it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces, I mean, for instance, isn’t seven the most powerfully magical number, wouldn’t seven –?”

“You think that Voldemort is the final step for Dark Magic?” asked Harry.

“I know the ruddy bastard is,” sighed Slughorn. “Seven bloody horcruxes...how he can even stand to be alive like that is beyond me.”

“So what you’re saying is that unless I go through all of this...”

“You won’t be powerful enough to beat him when the time comes, whether or not you’ve destroyed all his horcruxes,” sighed Slughorn. Harry’s eyes widened at him. “Oh come on, my boy, I’m not stupid. If you are the one destined to kill him, then you obviously have to destroy his horcruxes.”

“And these four aspects...evil, light, despair, and hope...what do I do with them?” asked Harry.

“You find them,” said Slughorn. “And you unite them to create balance.”

“There isn’t balance already?” asked Harry.

“Evil prevails,” said Slughorn softly. “The world is already covered in shadow Harry, you know that.”

“And what if I fail?” he asked, equally softly.

“Then we all do.”

=====

Harry rushed into Herbology and gave a quick apology to Professor Sprout before joining Ron and Hermione at their table at the end of the greenhouse.

“Harry, you’re twenty minutes late!” exclaimed Hermione in a whisper. “What could Slughorn have possibly wanted to talk to you about for so long?”

“I’ll tell you later,” muttered Harry. He was about to ask what they were doing with the pungent red plant in front of them when a young student entered the greenhouse.

“Professor Sprout?” he asked timidly. “Headmistress McGonagal wants to see Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley in the hospital ward immediately.”

“What?” the Herbology teacher asked incredulously. “Mister Potter just arrived, you can tell her that –”

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but she said that it was urgent,” the student said in a scared voice.

“Very well,” sighed Madam Sprout. Harry, Ron, and Hermione packed up their things and followed the student out of the greenhouse, the teacher’s voice calling after them, “Potter, I want you here on Wednesday after dinner for a remedial session!”

“Yes, ma’am,” he called back after her with a sigh as they entered the castle.

“What did McGonagal want?” asked Ron, but the messenger had already disappeared. “Bloody midget...”

“Ron...” said Hermione warningly. He smiled sheepishly at her as they ascended the stairs to the hospital wing.

Upon entering the ward, they saw McGonagal, Madam Pomfrey, and Tonks talking to each other in hushed voices.

“What’s going on?” asked Harry, startling the three women.

“Potter...” said McGonagal shakily holding a letter. “I think you should see this. It came while I was up here to check on Draco’s progress.”

“What is it?” asked Hermione as they walked over. McGonagal handed Harry the letter and he unfolded it.

YOU’RE NEXT, POTTER

The dark mark was inscribed underneath it.

---------------

That’s all folks!

Okay, now for the news. On Tuesday, the 28th, I’m departing for a one-week vacation in upstate NY. I will not be writing during that time (I won’t really have access to a computer), and I won’t be returning until Sunday, March 5th. It is therefore unrealistic to expect an update on that following Friday, as it takes me at the very least seven days to come out with a presentable chapter (including multiple betaing and such). I will have the next chapter out ASAP, but I’m not making promises. Until next time!

And remember, let me know what you think! ;)

9. Vindicus Omnis Auctoria

I am SO sorry it’s taken me so long to update. Unexpected things happened during my vacation that
subsequently occupied a large portion of my free time when I returned, resulting in my tardiness. My
most abject and humble apologies.

And, of course, my apologies for not responding to reviews. I felt that it would take up time I didn’t
have. You can expect replies as always for this chapter’s reviews.

That being said, I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(Oh, and for the record, the little ‘what language is this’ part in last chapter’s author’s note was, in fact, a written language called l337 or LEET, which is short for Elite. If you don’t know, don’t ask.)

---------------

Chapter 9: Vindicus Omnis Auctoria

Harry tiredly pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to not fall asleep on the textbook he was supposed to be reading. He, Ron, and Hermione had been looking non-stop for any information on either horcruxes or the story that Slughorn had told him, and the threat from Voldemort’s side was still hanging heavily over all of their heads.

“This is so bloody frustrating!” exclaimed Hermione, slamming her book closed. “Sorry,” she mouthed to Madam Pince as the librarian looked up from her desk sternly. “Two weeks and not even a hint,” she sighed, turning back to Harry and Ron.

“Maybe we haven’t been looking in the right place,” mumbled Ron sleepily.

“Where else could we look?” asked Hermione, pulling out the sheet of parchment she had the runes from the stone bracelet inscribed on. “It’s all holes or dead-ends.”

Harry looked out the window and sighed. The sun had long since set and he had the feeling that the only reason Pince hadn’t kicked them out was because she had a inkling of what was going on.

“I’m going for a walk,” he said, standing up.

“Harry...” said Hermione carefully as he began packing up his things. “I’m not sure that’s a good idea what with the threat and everything...”

“Not on the grounds,” replied Harry. “I just need some air.”

Hermione bit her lower lip in thought and Harry had to resist the urge to grab her hand and take her off to some broom closet. Finally, she nodded and he left the library, not looking back for fear of changing his mind.

Silently, Harry made his way towards the Astronomy Tower, thankful for not encountering anyone on his way. Reaching the top of the stairs, he opened the door and was met with a cool breeze. Smiling a sad smile, he walked out onto the terrace and closed the door behind him, the memories of what had happened merely feet from where he was standing flooding his mind.

He stood quietly for a while, breathing in the night air and wondering where Dumbledore was now...his mentor had always said that death was only an adventure...there had to be something more after one died.

Harry walked over to the edge of the tower and rested his hands on one of the ramparts. In the far, far distance he thought he could see a tiny speckle of green, signifying another attack.

“I thought you might be up here,” a soft voice said from behind him. Harry didn’t even have to turn around to know who it was.

“You know me better than anyone else,” he sighed as Hermione came up beside him. “Tired of studying and searching?”

“I never thought I’d answer yes to that question, but yes,” replied Hermione, looking into the distance with him. “Is that what I think it is?” she asked, in reference to the slight green sparkle.

“Probably,” said Harry despondently, turning around and sitting down, resting his back on the rampart. Hermione sat down next to him, looking at him for a moment.

“There’s something else, isn’t there?” she asked.

“I haven’t been up here since it happened,” said Harry with a frown. “Now that I’m here...I can’t really believe that he died here.”

“I still have trouble believing that he’s actually gone,” admitted Hermione. “It feels like he’s still out there...just biding his time, waiting to make that grand return.” Harry couldn’t help but think about the words Hagrid had said before his first year when they were talking about Voldemort. “But of course that’s silly.”

“Have you seen Hagrid yet?” asked Harry, suddenly realising that he hadn’t even seen their half-giant friend since the Start-of-Term Feast.

“No,” replied Hermione thoughtfully after a moment. “Maybe we should go and see how he’s doing soon.”

“It’d probably be a good idea,” sighed Harry. “Might do well to know how that brother of his is doing.”

“Hopefully better than when we ran into him the last time,” chuckled Hermione.

Neither of them said anything for a while, Hermione had laced her fingers with Harry’s and they sat in comfortable silence until Hermione spoke up.

“I went to the Hospital Ward yesterday,” she said. “Madam Pomfrey thinks Draco will be awake soon...maybe by week’s end.”

“Good,” said Harry. “I want to interrogate the piss out of that bastard.”

“They probably won’t let you do that, you know,” replied Hermione. “Probably bring Lupin or someone like him in to do it.”

“Yeah, it’s disheartening,” smiled Harry, giving her hand a squeeze. “I guess we should get downstairs...it’s getting – OW!”

“What is it?” asked Hermione.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry, holding his left hand. “I put my hand down on the stone to get up and something dug into it.”

“What was it?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” said Harry again, looking at the spot where he had put his hand. “There’s nothing here...”

Slowly, Harry ran his hand over the flat stone trying to figure out what had hurt him. He was about to shrug it off and get up when he touched something that he couldn’t see. Brow furrowed, he pulled out his wand.

“Specialis Revelio,” said Harry. His eyes grew large as a diamond the size and shape of a marble appeared, with a small piece of parchment under it.

“What is it?” asked Hermione, leaning over to get a look.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry, picking up the spherical gem and the paper under it. “Here.”

He handed the parchment to Hermione so he could study the stone in his hand. It certainly seemed flawless...Harry briefly pondered why anyone would leave a diamond of this size and quality just laying about when Hermione gasped.

“What?” asked Harry, looking at her.

“Harry...this...look,” she said, handing the scrap of paper to him.

Curiously, he took it from her hand and looked down at the three words written.

Vindicus Omnis Auctoria

“What does it mean?” asked Harry.

“I don’t know,” replied Hermione. “But look at the handwriting.”

Harry peered over the bridge of his glasses to get a better look at the words in the dim light from the moon, and his heart nearly skipped a beat when he recognised the hauntingly familiar loopy scrawl.

“Dumbledore...” he breathed.

“Yeah,” replied Hermione. “Maybe he dropped it when Snape killed him or something.”

“Why would he be carrying around a cloaked object though?” asked Harry, more to himself than to Hermione.

“I don’t know...but we should certainly investigate this...I’ll go back down to the library and see if they have anything –”

“Hermione,” interrupted Harry, squeezing her hand gently.

“What?” she asked in a rushed tone of voice.

“Tomorrow,” he smiled. “We both need some rest.”

“But this is really important –”

“And your well-being is important to me,” said Harry, putting his index finger to her lips. “It can wait.”

“Alright,” sighed Hermione after a moment. “But first thing in the morning I’m heading to the library.”

“That’s better,” he smiled, pocketing the diamond. “Now let’s get going.”

Hermione smiled and stood up, Harry following behind her. At the door to the stairs though, he stopped and turned around. Silently, Harry gazed at the spot where a great friend and mentor had died, wondering what would come of what he had found.

=====

“Did you find anything?” asked Harry as Hermione sat down next to him for lunch. They hadn’t had time to discuss anything during Defense Against the Dark Arts and Hermione had to run to an Arithmancy class right after that.

“Actually,” she whispered. “Yes. It’s not very promising, but it’s something.”

“What is it?” asked Ron. Harry had told Ron about what he had found the previous night during their free period (which they had spent in the library looking for information on dark objects).

“Like I said it’s not much,” said Hermione, pulling out a leaf of parchment from her robes. “We can research this a little at least.”

Harry took the piece of paper from her and read it aloud in a soft voice so that Ron could hear him.

“A series of spells were invented in the early seventh century to help keep vassals bound to their master,” he read. “Dubbed the Auctorium, they each varied in power and purpose but the ultimate goal was to give the caster enough power to bind and/or unite two or more persons or items to something.”

“I checked up on those spells, and only two were listed,” said Hermione when Harry finished. “And they’re nothing close to what’s written on the piece of paper you found, Harry.”

“What’s going on?” asked Ginny inquisitively sitting down next to them, Luna following up behind her and taking a seat next to Ron.

“We can’t really explain it in detail here, but Ron and I have a free period next Ginny, so if you’re available –”

“We are,” said Luna, helping herself to some steak and kidney pie. “Free period for both of us.”

“Alright,” said Harry. “We’ll explain it then.”

“In the meantime,” said Hermione, “you should look and see if you can find out anything about that diamond. Run some passive detection spells on it, see if it’s enchanted or anything.”

“You don’t think that’s dangerous?” asked Harry.

“That’s why I said passive,” said Hermione, rolling her eyes. “You know, don’t blow it up or anything.”

“I think I got the idea,” smiled Harry.

Lunch passed quickly, and soon enough Hermione was departing for her Arithmancy class, bidding the other four of them good luck. Harry was just about to stand when he saw Neville get up out of the corner of his eye.

“Oy! Nev!” he yelled waving his hand in the air. Neville looked around for a moment before seeing him, and walked over.

“Hey Harry...hi Ginny,” he said in a slightly subdued voice.

“What do you have next period?” asked Harry, fully intent on letting Neville come with them.

“Care of Magical Creatures,” he said warily. “Hasn’t been so bad lately,” he added, answering the unasked question.

“I didn’t know you were taking that class,” said Harry. “Last year too?”

“Yeah...” replied Neville hesitantly as though he didn’t want to rehash memories of the classes.

“Why don’t we follow you down for a quick visit,” said Harry, getting up.

“Sure,” said Neville, appearing grateful for the company. Ron, Luna, and Ginny all got up and followed Harry and Neville out onto the grounds.

“Nice day,” remarked Harry, looking up at the cloudless sky.

“Yeah,” replied Neville.

“We’ve made some progress,” said Harry, still looking up. “We’re about to go have a study session, and I was going to invite you to come along...”

“But I have class,” finished Neville. “S’alright.”

“I want to include you in this Nev,” said Harry seriously. Glancing behind him to make sure Ginny was out of earshot, he leaned over slightly. “And Ginny could probably use the company,” he said softly.

“I still don’t know why you think she feels the same way,” muttered Neville warily.

“Nev, let me ask you something,” said Harry after a moment.

“Alright.”

“What are you afraid of?”

Neville let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

“Dunno, really,” he said with a shrug. “That she’d say no, I guess.”

“So you wouldn’t be with her,” said Harry pointedly. “You’re not with her right now, so what would change?”

“It’d be awkward,” answered Neville. “I can’t help but feel she’d give me that ‘are you quite sodding serious’ look that girls use.” Harry laughed.

“You’re putting too much pressure on yourself, mate,” he said, clapping him on the shoulder. “Where’s that Gryffindor courage?”

“At the bottom of the lake with the giant squid,” muttered Neville.

“In all seriousness, Nev, you need to talk to her,” said Harry. “Because Ginny is neither unattractive nor blind. She will find someone else if you don’t take that spot soon.”

“You really think I have a legitimate chance?” asked Neville, looking sideways at Harry.

“I do,” he nodded as they reached Hagrid’s hut. “And I think you should take advantage of it.”

“‘Arry!” a familiar booming voice called out to them.

“Hey Hagrid,” said Harry with a smile as Fang the boarhound came galloping up to him.

“‘Bin wonderin’ if you’d come down ta say hi to yer old friend,” said the half-giant with a smile.

“We’ll we’ve all been a bit busy,” said Harry sheepishly.

“Not ter worry,” said Hagrid, clapping him on the shoulder. “An’ how are you three?” he asked, smiling at Ron, Luna, and Ginny.

“Good,” they all replied at once.

“How’s your brother?” asked Ginny.

“Oh he’s loads better,” smiled Hagrid. “Taught himself to make fire outta rocks and sticks, he did.”

Harry shared a worried glance with Ron at the idea of Grawp being able to set the forest on fire.

“I dun suppose you lot are stayin’ fer me class?” asked Hagrid hopefully.

“Actually we can’t,” said Harry, causing Hagrid’s smile to falter slightly. “But we did want to say hi before we started working.”

“O’ course, o’ course,” nodded Hagrid. “Well, if you ever want, my door’s always open.”

“Thanks,” nodded Harry. “We’ll see you, Nev.”

“Bye guys,” he said, waving at them. Harry swore that he saw Neville lock eyes with Ginny for a second before turning away and walking towards the pumpkin patch after Hagrid.

“Shall we be going then?” asked Luna, breaking the short silence.

“Yeah,” said Harry, turning back towards the castle.

They walked up to the library in silence, the only sound made was the shuffling of their feet along the stone floors. When they did arrive, the four of them made their way to the back of the room towards an empty table.

“So,” said Ginny once they were are seated. “What’s going on?”

Harry and Ron quickly related the stories that McGonagal and Slughorn had told, and after a few moments Ginny and Luna were caught up to speed.

“So what was Hermione talking about when we sat down?” asked Luna.

“I was at the top of the Astronomy Tower last night with Hermione,” said Harry. “And I found...why are you staring at me like that?” Ginny’s eyes had widened at this.

“Mate,” said Ron with a small smile. “Think about what you just said.”

“I said that Hermione and I were on top of the Astronomy Tower, and...oh,” Harry blushed deeply. “We weren’t doing that, just to clarify.”

Ginny giggled and nodded at him to continue.

“Anyway,” said Harry taking a breath. “Long story short, I found this –” he placed the diamond on the table, earning a gasp from Ginny and Luna, “and this,” he held up the scrap of parchment.

“What does it say?” asked Luna as Ginny picked up the diamond and appraised it.

“You tell me,” replied Harry, handing the paper to Luna.

“Vindicus Omnis Auctoria...” she muttered. “It sounds familiar, but I can’t quite place it...”

“Hermione did a little research on the matter,” said Harry, producing the sheaf of parchment Hermione had given him earlier and laying it flat on the table. Ginny handed the diamond to Luna and began to read the piece of paper.

“So this is all we know?” asked Ginny, putting the paper back on the table once she had finished.

“Yeah,” said Ron, leaning back. “Bunch of dead ends, really.”

“I overheard Hermione saying something about passive detection spells?” asked Luna, placing the diamond on the table.

“She suggested that we try and find out if this is anything special,” replied Harry, picking up the gem between his index finger and thumb.

“Well I know a few good ones,” said Luna, pulling out her wand. “Daddy taught them to me when I was younger and we were looking for smaller mystical creatures.”

“Nothing too powerful, now,” said Harry, handing her the diamond. “We don’t want anyone getting hurt.”

“Of...course,” said Luna with a smile, though Harry thought he could see a flicker of hesitation in her eyes. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ron take her hand and mouth, “It’s alright,” to her. Luna nodded almost imperceptibly and put the gem on the table.

“Invenus,” she said softly, pointing her wand at the diamond. Nothing happened.

“What was that?” asked Ron.

“That was to see if there were any physical attributes hidden,” sighed Luna. “I guess it’d make more sense to look for magical ones?”

“If you would,” smiled Harry encouragingly. Luna nodded and again raised her wand.

“Perificio,” she said, her voice shaking slightly. For a moment, nothing happened again, and Harry was about to speak when a streaming silver light began to emanate from the diamond and swirl around it in a silky mist.

“Oh my,” gasped Ginny, backing away from the soft glow.

“What does it mean?” asked Harry, leaning in to get a better look.

“Nothing yet,” said Luna, looking on in marvel. “Wait a few seconds.”

Harry watched on as the swirls began to converge around themselves and take shape. Slowly, they began to form lines, which in turn became shapes, and proceeded to become...

“Runes,” said Ron, as the light stopped emanating from the diamond.

Sure enough, twelve runes had appeared above the gem, and were now floating above it.

“Blimey, Harry,” said Ron, his jaw dropping slightly. “Those are the same runes that are on the bracelet.”

Harry looked over to Ron and then back at the symbols which were forming a circular band. Sure enough, they seemed to match the ones that were etched into the stone circlet.

“Hermione needs to know about this,” said Harry after a moment. “She’ll be able to make more sense of this than we can.”

Ron, Ginny, and Luna all nodded slightly in assent.

“For now, can you make these disappear, Luna?” asked Harry. “We don’t want anyone to come across this who shouldn’t.”

“Of course,” the blond nodded. With a quick wave of her wand the mist disappeared and all that was left was the diamond, and the small piece of parchment with the spell.

“Does it bother anyone else that all this is happening at the same time?” asked Ginny after a moment. “I mean, first the Sorting Hat, then all these...legends...then a piece of parchment with Dumbledore’s handwriting and a magical diamond appear where he was killed.”

“Yeah...seems too strange to be coincidence, doesn’t it?”

The four students could do nothing but sit and nod while wondering just what in the world was going on.

=====

“What?!” exclaimed Hermione, startling some of the younger students in the common room.

“Shhhh,” hissed Ron, looking around quickly to make sure everyone went back to their business.

“Sorry,” whispered Hermione. “But are you serious?”

“Quite,” said Harry in a low voice.

“So what does all this mean?” she asked, more to herself than to Harry and Ron.

“That’s what we were hoping you’d be able to answer for us,” said Ron sullenly. Hermione sighed and leaned back against the couch.

“Well...I think we’re going to have to experiment on the bracelet,” she said after a moment. “It’s the source of everything we’ve found, we need to perform some tests on it.”

“You think McGonagal will let us?” asked Ron.

“She’ll have to,” said Hermione, getting up. “We have too much evidence to ignore.”

“Now?” asked Harry, as she stared at him and Ron impatiently. “It’s half past eleven.”

“Ron’s a prefect, and we’re Head Boy and Girl,” said Hermione pointedly. “We can’t get in trouble.”

“Famous last words,” muttered Ron as he and Harry stood up and followed Hermione out of the portrait hole.

“What do you think we’ll find?” asked Harry as they climbed the steps to McGonagal’s office a few minutes later.

“Who knows?” shrugged Hermione. “At this point, anything is good.”

Hermione knocked on the wooden door to the office, and there was silence for a moment before McGonagal’s voice said, “Come in.”

The three of them stepped inside and were surprised to see the headmistress sitting in an armchair by the fire, apparently lost in thought.

“Er...professor?” asked Hermione tentatively.

“Hmm?” asked McGonagal, turning to look at them. “Oh...a bit late for you three to be up here, isn’t it?”

“Yes, but we need to ask you for a favor,” said Hermione, not wasting any time.

“Oh?” asked McGonagal with a slight smile. “Found something already?”

“Yes...” replied Hermione with a little bit of hesitation. “Professor...are you alright?”

“I’m quite alright,” said McGonagal standing. “I wonder how Albus managed to run this school so smoothly sometimes...it is really unlike any task I’ve ever taken on before. Some days are harder than others...I was just reminiscing when you came in.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione nodded silently at this, unsure of what to say to that.

“But you wanted to ask a favor?” asked McGonagal, brining them back to their senses.

“Yes,” said Hermione, stepping forward. “We need to experiment on the bracelet.” There was silence for a moment while McGonagal peered over her spectacles appraisingly at Hermione.

“You have never been one to show blatant disregard for safety procedures, Miss Granger,” she said at last. “I trust that if you plan on casting spells on the bracelet, you have already taken into account the risks of what might happen if you are wrong.”

“I have,” said Hermione. “That, and we’ve pretty much dead-ended everywhere else.”

“Well then,” said McGonagal, sitting down behind her desk. “Tell me what you know.”

Hermione spent the next twenty minutes explaining everything to McGonagal, with help from Ron and Harry whenever needed. When they were done McGonagal sighed heavily.

“May I see this parchment?” she asked. Harry nodded and dug into his robes, pulling out the scrap of paper on which the spell was written. He handed it to McGonagal and she studied it carefully for a few moments before placing it on her desk. “The auctorium,” she said with a frown. “I imagine you found very limited information on those spells, Miss Granger.”

“Almost nothing,” said Hermione with a nod. “And certainly nothing relating to that particular spell.”

“Yes,” sighed McGonagal. “The auctorium, like horcruxes, are a banned subject at Hogwarts. Part of me is surprised you found anything at all, but then again, you aren’t the brightest witch of your generation for nothing.”

Hermione blushed pink at the compliment.

“The Auctorium did much more than bind magic,” she said slowly. “They amplified it...gave the wielder power.”

“How?” asked Hermione.

“By draining energy from those who were bound,” said McGonagal. “The spells were especially popular among power-hungry warmongers, who would bind servants using the spells then drain all their energy from them, giving them enough power to level buildings but killing those bound in the process.” She paused for a moment. “It would not surprise me if Lord Voldemort were to be using some form of one of the spells to bind his death eaters to him.”

“So do you know what that spell does?” asked Hermione.

“No,” said McGonagal after a moment. “But I know someone who does.”

“Who?” asked Ron.

McGonagal smiled at him and looked up to her right, directly at the portrait of a currently snoozing Albus Dumbledore.

“Albus?” she asked gently. The old wizard in the painting blinked his eyes open and yawned before smiling.

“Ah...Minerva, how can I help you?” he asked.

“Might you be able to tell me what this spell does?” she asked, holding the parchment up to his portrait.

“Ah yes,” said Albus after a moment. “I seem to remember that spell being a catalyst for something...a key of sorts.”

“What is it a key to?” asked McGonagal.

“I know not,” he sighed. “It was merely something I was researching while I was still alive.

“Thank you Albus,” said McGonagal with a smile.

“Anytime,” smiled Albus before falling back asleep.

“Er...Professor?” asked Hermione. “That wasn’t really Professor Dumbledore, was it?”

“Of course not,” said McGonagal, sitting back down behind her desk. “But those portraits are put up here for a reason. Every single one of them contains the knowledge that the person depicted in them had during their life.”

“Who paints them anyway?” asked Ron.

“There are painters who each headmaster and headmistress trusts,” shrugged McGonagal. “But if what you are asking me, Mister Weasley, is how the information gets there, the answer is that a recording spell of sorts is put on the canvas when it is blank. The life experiences of the one painted are recorded into the painting, and when that person dies, the painting is put up along the wall.”

“So...have you already had your portrait done?” asked Hermione, intrigued.

“Naturally,” nodded McGonagal. “Would you like to see it?”

“Sure,” the three students replied. McGonagal walked over to a locked cupboard, and with a wave of her wand, the doors opened to reveal a very life-like, but very inanimate painting of herself.

“It won’t become active until I pass away,” said McGonagal, closing the doors and locking them again. “Quite a nifty bit of spellwork, if I do say so myself.”

“That’s amazing,” smiled Hermione.

“Indeed it is,” said McGonagal. “But now then I think we should return to the business at hand.” She opened a drawer in her desk and removed the bracelet. “I would like to make it known that I’m not happy with what you’re about to do...but under the circumstances, I don’t see much of a choice.” She handed the bracelet to Hermione. “I trust your judgement, Miss Granger.”

“Thank you,” nodded Hermione. “Put it on, Harry.”

“How?” he asked, looking at the stone circlet. “It’s too small.”

“Just try,” said Hermione, handing it to him. Shrugging, he took it from her and moved to slide his right hand through the hole.

To his amazement, his hand didn’t even touch the stone. It was as if his hand and wrist shrunk to accommodate the bracelet and then returning to their normal proportions. He slid the circlet onto his wrist, and it sized itself accordingly for a snug fit.

“Well...that worked out alright,” he said, holding his arm up so he could look at it better.

“Can you take it off?” asked Hermione. Harry shrugged and removed the bracelet as easily as he put it on.

“I guess so,” he said.

“Let me try,” said Ron. Harry handed the bracelet to Ron, who attempted to put it on his wrist, but failed. “Doesn’t fit.”

“Well now,” said Harry, as he got the bracelet back. “Isn’t that comforting.”

“I guess only you can wear it,” said Hermione with a sigh. “Can I see the diamond, Harry?” Harry took the diamond from his robes and handed it to her. “Put the bracelet back on.”

He did as was asked and watched in astonishment as the three runes on the underside of the bracelet glowed silver when Hermione held the diamond near him.

“The rune of light,” said Hermione, pointing to the middle one. “Cast the spell, Harry.”

“What?” he asked, suddenly slightly nervous.

“The spell,” repeated Hermione. “Cast it.”

“On what?” he asked. “The bracelet?”

“I don’t think it’ll matter,” she said. “Just hold out your wand and say the words.”

“Are you sure about this?” asked Ron, voicing Harry’s thoughts. Hermione bit her lower lip and looked at Harry.

“Do you have an objection, Professor?” she asked.

“As I said earlier, I’m not a large fan of these actions,” repeated McGonagal. “But I still trust your judgement.” Hermione nodded.

“Do you trust me, Harry?” she asked in a soft voice, looking at him in the eyes.

“With my life,” replied Harry, relaxing slightly.

“I don’t like this any more than you do,” she said, grasping his left hand. “But I think it’s the only way.”

Harry nodded and drew his wand.

“If I die here, and never get to kiss you,” he whispered into her ear. “I’m going to be very upset with you.”

Hermione smiled at him.

“I’ll be very upset with me too,” she whispered back, kissing him on the cheek. “Good luck.”

“Thanks,” nodded Harry.

“Be careful, mate,” said Ron, backing away slightly. Harry sighed and raised his wand. Looking at Hermione he smiled and nodded once.

“Vindicus Omnis Auctoria,” he spoke clearly.

A strange tingling sensation started building deep in Harry’s center, quickly working its way outward. Looking down he saw the bracelet on his right wrist glowing a gentle golden color. Suddenly he felt as though the bracelet was connected to him, as if it was a part of his body. He was about to open his mouth to speak when a voice spoke out.

“I have been waiting for you, Chosen One.”

“I’m sorry?” asked Harry.

“It has been far too long,” said the voice gently. “There is an imbalance of the forces in the world. Together, we will overcome that imbalance.”

“Who are you?” asked Harry.

“The bracelet, of course.”

Harry looked down at his wrist and saw it was still glowing a golden color. Amused laughter sounded out and Harry was startled to see the glow fluctuate in power with each laugh.

“Surprised?” asked the bracelet. “You shouldn’t be. After all, I’m not the first inanimate object that can speak that you’ve come across.”

“The Sorting Hat,” said Harry. “Are you two...related?”

“Related is an overstatement,” said the bracelet. “Our intelligence was created by the same person, but that is all.”

“Who created you?” asked Harry. There was silence for several seconds before the voice spoke again.

“At this time, it is not my place to tell you that.”

“So why are you here?” asked Harry.

“I’m here because you put me on your wrist,” the bracelet said. “The more appropriate question would be why am I here.”

“Er...okay,” said Harry.

“I am here to begin your quest,” said the voice.

“...okay?” said Harry, confused.

“You will travel east to a place called the Hall of Reflection,” the bracelet said. “There you will find the Pillar of Light, and your next destination.”

“Alright,” said Harry, nodding. “And after that?”

“I am only here to give you the book,” said the bracelet. “You must be the one to fill its pages.”

Harry nodded in understanding.

“Good luck, Harry Potter. May the light guide your hand.”

The tingling sensation stopped, and the light faded from the bracelet. Breathing hard, he looked around at Ron, Hermione, and McGonagal who were all watching him with intense interest.

“So what happened?” asked Ron

“I have to go east,” said Harry, taking the bracelet off. “To the Hall of Reflection.”

“Harry...that place was destroyed three centuries ago,” said Hermione arching an eyebrow at him.

“Well, I have to go there,” he said. “The bracelet said so.”

“The bracelet?” asked McGonagal. “It spoke to you?”

“Like the Sorting Hat,” explained Harry.

“Well...at least we have a lead now,” said Hermione thoughtfully.

Harry was about to ask if Hermione knew where this place was supposed to be when a knock came at the office door.

“Come in,” said McGonagal. The door opened to reveal Madam Pomfrey.

“Headmistress....Potter, Weasley, Granger,” acknowledged the nurse. “I have news.”

“Yes?” asked McGonagal.

“Draco is awake,” she said simply.

“Excellent, let us head down there now,” said McGonagal, standing up.

“There is one thing you should know,” said Madam Pomfrey.

“Yes, Poppy?” asked McGonagal.

“He’s demanding to speak to Potter.”

“Me?” asked Harry.

“Yes,” replied the nurse as they exited the office.

“Did he say what he wanted?” asked Hermione as they walked through the corridors towards the Hospital Wing.

“Only that he had to see Harry alone,” said Pomfrey.

They arrived at the ward in very little time, and after determining that Draco was stable, Pomfrey stood aside to let Harry next to the bed.

“Try not to get him agitated,” the nurse said fussily. “It’ll only worsen his condition.”

“Alright,” said Harry, looking down at his bruised nemesis. He could hear Hermione, Ron, McGonagal, and Pomfrey leave the ward behind him.

“Are they gone?” asked Draco weakly.

“Yeah,” said Harry, sitting down on a chair next to the bed. “I was told you wanted to speak with me?”

“Trust me Potter, there is nothing I want to do less than speak with you,” he coughed, groaning when he was done. “But I don’t have a choice.”

“Why?” asked Harry.

“Because he turned his back on me,” muttered Draco, grimacing in pain.

“Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“No,” coughed Draco. “My father.”

“What?” asked Harry, taken aback. “Why?”

“To gain favor with the Dark Lord,” he muttered.

“Why don’t you tell me what happened,” said Harry.

“Before I do, I need something from you,” said Draco, a little stronger.

“What?” asked Harry.

“Protection,” replied Draco.

“From Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“No,” he replied. “From the Ministry.” Harry raised an eyebrow at him. “I don’t want to go to Azkaban for what happened last year.”

“I assure you, that if the information you give me helps bring down Lord Voldemort, you’ll be safe from Azkaban,” said Harry.

“Yes, well if that doesn’t happen,” coughed Draco. “I want your personal assurance that you’ll get me out of the country when this is all over.”

“My word suddenly means something to you?” asked Harry, crossing his arms.

“You’re too soft for your own good, Potter,” said Draco with a lopsided grin. “You’re the only person left who would even consider helping me.”

“Fair enough,” said Harry. “I give you my word.”

“And somehow I already regret this decision,” chuckled Draco.

“So what happened?” asked Harry.

“I had just finished an assignment,” said Draco, closing his eyes. “I had arrived back at the hideout and was going to retire to my room so I could sleep, when I noticed that one of the doors that was always kept closed was ajar.”

“So you went to investigate,” said Harry.

“Curiosity killed the kneazle,” chuckle Draco. “It was an empty room, save for a cupboard at the far end.”

“What was in it?” asked Harry.

“A pensieve,” said Draco. “His pensieve.”

“Voldemort keeps a record of his thoughts?” asked Harry. “Forgive me if I sound skeptical.”

“I’m only telling you what I saw,” said Draco. “Anyway my father found me looking in it and turned me in to the Dark Lord.”

“He didn’t kill you on the spot?” asked Harry with a raised eyebrow.

“No, because I managed to perform some very quality Occlumency he only thought I was snooping around...he tortured me and threw me in a dungeon cell,” sighed Draco. “Hence all my injuries. I always keep a second wand hidden on my body...I escaped and ran.”

“And you came here,” finished Harry. Draco nodded. “If he wasn’t going to kill you, why run?”

“Because of what I saw...because I knew I was in too deep.”

“What did you see?” asked Harry.

“I wasn’t stupid enough to stick my head in the pensieve,” said Draco. “But I did see a memory floating on the surface.”

“What was it?”

“A teacup belonging to Helga Hufflepuff.”

---------------

No complaining! Lol. I will explain in NEXT chapter how Draco knows that the teacup is significant, so you don’t need to bring that up. One other thing...in my story, Neville takes Care of Magical Creatures. In Book 6, he’s only taking Herbology, DADA, and Charms. I find it highly unlikely that he’d only take three courses all year, so I added this one.

Once again, I want to apologise for the one-month delay between updates. I pray it will never happen again.

And remember, throw a review or two my way!

10. The Diamond Hall

A warm welcome to all ye this week. One quick thing before we start.

I would encourage everyone to listen to Miscard’s latest H/Hr Podcast, as it features an interview with Amynoelle and Heaven, whom as you all know I respect greatly as authors. It’s very insightful and may even help a few of you aspiring authors to become better. A link is available at the beginning of Chapter 86 of their current A/U story, ‘Last Dance’.

That being said, enjoy this week’s action-packed chapter!

---------------

Chapter 10: The Diamond Hall

Harry couldn’t decide whether to scoff or fall out of his chair.

“Your silence is very telling,” mused Draco.

“How would you even know why that cup is important in the first place?” asked Harry.

“Because in the memory he was casting the spell on it,” replied Draco. “And before you ask, you don’t grow up with Lucius Malfoy as your father and not pick up on some dark magic along the way.”

“Does Lucius have...?”

“Horcruxes?” asked Draco. “I doubt it. Despite all his talk he’s a coward just like the rest of them. That’s what I’ve come to realise,”

“What?” asked Harry, confused.

“A lot of people think the Dark Lord has followers because they want a piece of his power,” said Draco, rubbing his neck. “And that’s partially true, but most of them are just afraid to get in his way. They fear him...which is why my father turned me in. If, in fact, he wasn’t scared, he would’ve plotted a way with me to overthrow You-Know-Who and take his place. But he’s yellow, just like everyone else. If he’s killed anyone himself and I say if , I highly doubt he’d have the bollocks to split his own soul.”

“So do you know where the cup is?” asked Harry.

“Specifically, no,” replied Draco. “I only saw parts of the room.”

“Well could you enlighten me?” asked Harry.

“There was a fireplace...and a hearth rug,” said Draco thoughtfully after a moment. “And a wooden rocking chair.”

“That’s it?” asked Harry skeptically.

“There were a couple windows in the room...but that’s all I know,” said Draco. Harry sat in silence for a moment before speaking.

“No dead bodies?”

“No,” said Draco as though he expected this question.

“Where in the room was it hidden?”

“I do not know,” sighed Draco. “In the memory he looked as though he was ready to hide it, but then my father walked in. I didn’t get to see.”

“How do I know you’re not making all of this up?” he asked. “What’s to say, for example, that this isn’t an elaborate scheme to get me to play right into Voldemort’s hands?”

“Your reasoning is that he used me once, why not use me again?” asked Draco with a laugh.

“Something to that extent,” replied Harry with narrowed eyes.

“Think about it, Potter,” sneered Draco. “Why would the Dark Lord want so many people to know about horcruxes? I’d bet that he’s sure you don’t know about them, so for starters, he’d be telling you about the only possible means for you to kill him. He’d also have to entrust his death eaters with that secret, something I know he doesn’t want to do, because then people would know about his vulnerabilities. It sure seems like a rather large investment on a plan with such high-risk and only marginal reward, as I’m quite sure you won’t be going to get that horcrux by yourself.”

Harry stared at Draco, thoroughly impressed with his ability to make an argument.

“You still don’t believe me?” asked Draco haughtily. “Tell the mudblood my story, see what she thinks.”

“Do not talk about Hermione like that in front of me,” growled Harry, grabbing the collar of Draco’s robe.

“Easy there, Potter, you promised to keep me safe, remember?” said Draco with a smirk.

“And if you talk about her like that again I’ll rethink that promise, understood?” asked Harry, not letting go.

“I must’ve really hit a nerve this time,” remarked Draco. “But fine, I’ll keep the comments to myself.”

“Good,” replied Harry.

“Now then, if there’s nothing else to talk about, I’m really quite knackered and could use a kip,” said Draco turning over. “Unless you wanted to ask about anything else?”

“Why?” asked Harry after a moment. “Supposing you’re telling the truth, why did you come to me? Why not stay with them...if Voldemort didn’t kill you that means he valued you...why leave that protection?”

“Because that ‘protection’ as you call it, also involves getting Crucio’ed a lot, and I rather like my sanity where it is, thank you very much,” said Draco, not looking at Harry.

Harry stood, and began to walk out of the ward, but stopped at the doors.

“If you’re telling the truth, Draco, I will do my very best to get your name cleared of any charges,” said Harry, not looking back. When Malfoy didn’t respond, he left.

=====

“You promised him what?!” exclaimed Ron.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting in McGonagal’s office discussing Harry’s conversation with Draco, his eyelids droopy from the late hour.

“Ron, if Draco was telling the truth then he’s on our side,” said Hermione nervously.

“He’s the ferret,” scoffed Ron, folding his arms. “I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw Goyle.”

“Yeah, but he didn’t fake those injuries,” sighed Harry, gazing into the fire.

“I think,” said McGonagal. “That the first order of business is to determine where this horcrux might be.” She got up and walked over to a cabinet and, after unlocking it, pulled out a large silver basin. “I will filter through these memories of Albus’ and see if we can find anything matching that description.”

The three teens nodded silently.

“Now then...a fireplace, a hearth rug, a rocking chair, and some windows, is that correct Potter?” asked McGonagal.

“Sounds about right,” yawned Harry. Hermione smiled gently at him and covered his hand with hers.

“Tired?” she asked softly as McGonagal began sifting through the memories.

“Yeah,” he replied, looking at the ceiling. “What time is it?”

“Almost one in the morning,” said Ron, looking out the window. “And to think, there are people sleeping right now.”

“Potter,” said McGonagal, bringing them out of their reverie. “Would you think this might be possible location?”

Harry stood up and walked over to the desk. Looking into the pensieve, he saw a picture of the room in the Riddle Manor where Wormtail had nursed Voldemort back to health.

“That’s the house he stayed in before my fourth year,” he said contemplatively. “That’s the house where he killed his father and his grandparents.”

“Riddle Manor,” said McGonagal slowly. “Isn’t it rather...unprotected?”

“Very,” said Harry. “But if Dumbledore taught me anything last year, it was that Voldemort is a man of principle.”

“How does that help us?” asked Hermione

“One of his biggest weaknesses is his idea that he’s the most powerful being on the planet right now,” said Harry, now pacing around the room in contemplation. “Knowing that...he’d hide things in places he wouldn’t expect anyone to look...places that don’t seem protected.”

“I don’t get it,” said Ron scrunching up his nose in confusion.

“He tries too hard to out-think his enemies,” said Harry. “It would be very like him to hide something in a place that looks completely harmless.”

“So he might’ve hidden the cup in plain view, just to try and fool people?” asked Hermione.

“I doubt it’s in plain view,” said Harry. “He’d protect it somehow. But it fits the profile.”

“The ring wasn’t protected,” said Ron after a moment.

“Yeah, it was,” countered Harry. “Dumbledore said he would’ve died if Snape hadn’t helped him...look at what it did to his hand.”

“So then we need to search the house,” said Hermione conclusively. “Maybe there are secret passages...rooms, something of that nature.”

“I agree,” said McGonagal. “I will arrange a detail of Order members to investigate.”

“Why can’t I go?” asked Harry immediately.

“We need to take precautions, Potter,” said McGonagal with an impatient sigh. “If this is a trap, we don’t need you caught in the mix. And besides, you have your own quests to resolve, don’t you?”

“They can wait,” said Harry, not giving in just yet.

“Potter,” sighed McGonagal, pinching the bridge of her nose. “We have an extraordinary opportunity right now. Low-risk, high-reward operations are very rare, and even more so in times of war. If you go with them to that house, it immediately becomes a high-risk proposal.”

“And why’s that?” asked Harry indignantly.

“Because you are the one person in this war we cannot afford to lose.”

Harry stood in silence for a few minutes before glancing at Hermione, who was looking at him worriedly.

“Alright,” he sighed. “But I want to know who’s going and when.”

“That can be arranged,” said McGonagal. “I will tell those involved that it is merely an artifact recovering mission...they shall know nothing of the horcruxes.” Harry nodded silently. “Have you given consideration as to when you’ll be leaving for the Hall of Reflection?”

“The sooner the better,” said Harry. “We don’t know how much time we have.”

“We can leave tomorrow,” suggested Hermione.

“That alright with everyone?” asked Harry. When no one spoke, he nodded. “Tomorrow it is, then.”

“Please see me before you depart,” said McGonagal. “And if I could hold onto the bracelet until that time, Harry.”

Harry nodded and removed the stone circlet from his wrist, handing it to the Headmistress.

“Now, it is exceedingly late, perhaps you three should get some rest,” she said, locking it in her desk. “I will see you all tomorrow.”

“Yes, Professor,” said Harry, turning and walking out of the office, Ron and Hermione behind him.

Harry didn’t say anything as the three of them walked back to the common room, though he vaguely registered Ron and Hermione arguing in hushed tones behind him about something.

“Cornish Pixie,” he said as they reached the portrait of the fat lady, who was sleeping soundly.

“Put the gin down Vi, you’ve already had six,” she mumbled before swinging forward and letting them in with a snore that sounded rather like a motorcycle revving.

Once they were in the safety of the common room, Ron rounded on Hermione.

“If they want to come, then why can’t they?” he asked loudly.

“Because it’s not their decision!” yelled Hermione.

“What are we yelling about?” asked Harry, laying down on the sofa.

“Luna – ”

“Ronald seems to think that Luna, Ginny, and Neville can come with us when we leave for the Hall,” said Hermione, cutting off Ron.

“It’s probably not a good idea,” sighed Harry, closing his eyes. He had a distinct feeling that Hermione was shooting Ron a very forward ‘I told you so’ look.

“Well...I just thought...” said Ron hesitantly.

“They have classes,” said Hermione. “They can’t just skip like we can.”

“Why not?” asked Ron.

“It has nothing to do with skipping classes,” said Harry.

“What does it have to do with, then?” asked Ron, crossing his arms.

“I have to do this alone.”

“You...you’re letting us come with you...right mate?” asked Ron.

“I don’t want you to,” said Harry. “You know that. But seeing how I’d have to tie you both down to keep you from following me, there’s no point. And you’d still probably find a way.”

“Er...right,” said Ron, hesitantly. “I’m...just gonna head up now.”

Ron left the common room in silence, the faint sound of the door to the dorm closing in the distance a few moments later.

“Harry,” said Hermione softly, sitting down next to him.

Harry opened his eyes and looked at her gently.

“You really don’t want us coming with you, do you?” she asked, her eyes glistening.

“I told you at the Dursley’s,” he said. “I do. But that doesn’t mean I don’t wish I could do it alone.”

“Why?” asked Hermione, sniffling. “Why do you want to put it all on yourself?”

“Because unlike McGonagal, I don’t believe that I’m the only person who isn’t expendable.” He cupped her face with his hand and brushed the tear that had begun to fall down her cheek away. “You mean everything to me.”

“Oh, Harry,” cried Hermione softly, leaning over and embracing him tightly. “You won’t lose me.”

“I’m not sure what I’d do if I did,” he whispered, stroking her hair softly.

“I love you so very much,” she said softly. “Please promise me you won’t go and do anything stupid.”

“I can’t promise that,” he replied honestly. “I will do anything to keep you and Ron safe...along with everyone else I love.”

“Harry...please,” she cried, laying her head on his chest. They lay together for a few moments before Hermione spoke again. “Do you know what scares me the most?”

“What?” asked Harry softly.

“That if you go off alone, something will happen and I won’t be there to help you,” replied Hermione wiping at her eyes.

“You’re always there to help me,” smiled Harry. “Voice of my conscience and all that, remember?”

“I’m very tired,” said Hermione sleepily a few minutes later.

“Stay here with me,” whispered Harry, quickly drifting off.

“What will everyone say?”

“We were studying too hard,” mumbled Harry.

“That works,” said Hermione with a smile.

The last thought in Harry’s mind before he fell asleep was him wondering just what exactly was he still confused about with the girl in his arms.

=====

As it turned out, Hermione had woken just as the sun was rising so they were both able to sneak back to their respective rooms before anyone saw them. Now, Harry stood silently in the dorm he shared with Ron, Neville, Seamus, and Dean, staring out at the red sun slowing making its way above the mountains in the distance.

He wondered what his life would’ve been like if Voldemort had never existed, if the man who was once called Tom Riddle had never been born.

He wondered about the horcruxes, where the remaining ones were, and whether Draco was telling the truth about the teacup.

He wondered how he could lead people in a valiant charge against the most powerful and evil wizard since Salazaar Slytherin himself.

He wondered how he could be a king on top of everything else he already was...

He wondered how what he felt for Hermione could possibly be anything but love.

“Harry?” asked a groggy voice from behind him.

“It’s me, Ron,” he replied, not turning around.

“What time’s it?” mumbled Ron.

“About half past six.”

“Bloody hell,” he groaned. “Five hours of sleep ought to be a crime punishable by time in Azkaban.”

“I’m sure their cells would be overflowing,” chuckled Harry, still looking out the window. He heard the rustle of sheets and heard Ron walk over next to him.

“Looks like a nice day,” he commented, ruffling his already messy hair.

“Hopefully it’ll stay that way,” said Harry, turning around and walking over to his trunk. “Hermione said we should leave as early as possible to avoid drawing attention to ourselves.”

“Leave?” asked Ron. “For what?”

Harry looked up at him and lifted an eyebrow.

“I do have a destiny to fulfill, remember?” he asked.

“Oh, right,” said Ron, yawning. “What’s the rush again?”

“Impending doom,” deadpanned Harry.

“Oh yeah,” said Ron. “Guess I’ll just get dressed then.”

“I’ll meet you downstairs in the common room,” said Harry, grabbing his broom.

He was not surprised to see Hermione already waiting for him when he reached the bottom of the stairs. She had obviously been trying to stay awake but had drifted off in one of the armchairs by the now extinguished fireplace. Harry smiled and watched her for a moment, the gentle rise and fall of her chest when she breathed, how a few strands of her hair had fallen across her face while she slept.

Quietly, he walked over to her and carefully brushed the hair away, her eyes flickering open as he did so.

“Harry?” she asked tiredly.

“It’s me,” he whispered, smiling at her.

“Sorry,” said Hermione, stretching. “I tried to stay awake, but I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“None of us did,” said Ron, walking down the stairs, looking quite disheveled. “We get to have breakfast at least, right?”

“You know Ron, I think if it ever comes to war, we could store the rations for the entire army in your stomach and then just pump them out when we needed them,” cracked Harry.

“Har, har,” grumbled Ron. “I’m a growing boy, I need nutrition.”

“Ron, if you’re still growing you’ll surpass Grawp in about a year,” smiled Hermione as they left the common room. “And don’t worry, I packed us something for the trip.”

“So where exactly is this place?” asked Harry as they reached the stone gargoyle.

“Well the entrance is supposed to be in an old castle that was on the eastern coast of the isle,” said Hermione. “But like I said, it was destroyed, so there’s really no way to know where we’re supposed to go without looking.”

“Bit of trial and error, then?” asked Ron, as Harry knocked on the door to McGonagal’s office.

“Something like that,” smiled Hermione.

“Come in,” said McGonagal. They entered and to Harry’s surprise, saw Remus, Mad-Eye Moody, and Bill Weasley standing there along with the headmistress.

“What are you all doing here?” asked Harry as they entered.

“You should know,” smiled Remus.

“It’s just you three?” asked Harry incredulously. “That hardly seems like enough people if it’s a trap.”

“I will be going too,” said McGonagal, walking around from behind her desk.

“Why is this teacup so important again?” asked Bill.

“If it’s important to You-Know-Who, then it’s important to us,” grunted Moody. “And that’s all that matters.”

“Right,” said McGonagal nodding discreetly at Harry. “Now then, are you three ready to get going?”

“Yeah,” nodded Harry.

“How will you be traveling?” asked McGonagal.

“By broom,” replied Harry. “Under disillusionment,” he added, seeing Moody’s eyebrow arch.

“You lot exercise constant vigilance,” he grunted. “Can’t have you getting found out, what with everything going on.”

“We’ll be careful,” said Harry. “You guys be careful too.”

“We will,” smiled Remus, clapping Harry on the shoulder. “Good luck.”

“I’ll walk you out,” said McGonagal, holding the office door open for them. The four of them walked down to the entrance hall in silence, stopping at the open doors.

“It got a little cloudy,” noted Ron. “That’ll be a good extra bit of cover.”

“Indeed,” said McGonagal, taking the bracelet out from her robes. “Take this with you Harry. I daresay you’ll need it.”

“Thanks,” said Harry, taking the bracelet and putting it on his wrist as Hermione removed two miniaturized brooms from her pocket and enlarged them for herself and Ron.

“Be careful,” said McGonagal as the three teens mounted. “There have been strange stories involving the place where you are going.”

“Constant vigilance,” smirked Harry, taking out his wand and casting a Disillusionment Charm on himself. Ron and Hermione did the same a moment later.

“Indeed,” replied McGonagal, the corners of her mouth curling up slightly. “I shall see you later.”

Harry nodded and without another word, kicked off and flew over the Forbidden Forest, Ron and Hermione hot on his tail.

About three hours later they were hovering over the clouds near the coast, Hermione looking at a large piece of parchment.

“We need to go south,” she said, rolling the parchment back up. Harry stared at her Disillusioned form and laughed. “What?”

“That just looked weird,” he said, turning so he was facing south. “The parchment unrolling and rolling itself.”

“You’re such a boy,” she laughed, zooming past him.

“She’s really gotten used to flying, hasn’t she?” commented Ron from beside Harry.

“You’re telling me,” he replied.

“What are you two waiting for? Come on!” yelled Hermione ahead of them. Harry and Ron quickly zoomed up to her and they resumed their journey.

“You’re a lot more comfortable up here,” said Harry, flying alongside Hermione.

“It’s really not as bad as I thought it would be,” she replied. “At least when one isn’t going a thousand kilometers an hour.”

“I don’t go that fast,” chuckled Harry. “Maybe five-hundred...” Hermione bumped him purposely, causing Harry to laugh. “Don’t fall off your broom,” he said. “It’s a long way down and with you Disillusioned I would have a hard time catching you.”

“Ha ha,” laughed Hermione dryly. “We should start heading down now...we’re nearly there.”

“Alright,” said Harry. “Oy, Ron! Start going down!”

“Roger that,” yelled Ron.

They headed down to the shore and skimmed along the sand for a few kilometers before Hermione halted them.

“There,” she said. “Ahead on our right.”

Harry looked into the distance and saw what looked like the ruins of an old castle.

“Let’s go,” he said, and without another word he sped off.

A minute later Harry dismounted in front of a ruined drawbridge, and removed the Charm, the others doing the same a moment later.

“Well you’re the know-it-all,” said Ron to Hermione. “What is this place?”

“Supposedly this was the home of one of the more powerful lords before the Founder’s War,” said Hermione, squinting up at the remains of the castle. “The hall has to be around here somewhere.”

“Well, let’s get started looking, aye?” asked Harry.

The three of them spent the next hour inspecting parts of the castle. There had been nothing promising, and Harry was starting to get discouraged as they made their way into the throne room (or what was left of it anyway), and stood in marvel at the once-great hall.

“Wow,” said Ron, looking around. “This place is huge.”

“It must’ve been spectacular when it was intact,” noted Hermione.

Harry silently agreed with them. Despite the fact that there were rather large holes in the ceiling and part of the northern wall, most of the frame of fine masonry still stood. Cracked pillars stood on the sides, and at the end of the hall, an old throne covered in cobwebs sat ominously.

“I’m hungry,” complained Ron.

“Oh fine,” sighed Hermione, sitting on the floor and removing a miniaturised picnic from her pocket. “We’re not making much progress anyway.”

“It’s a fascinating place though,” said Harry, as Hermione enlarged their food.

“Yeah,” said Hermione, resting her head on her hand. “I just hate getting frustrated.”

“Who would’ve thought Hermione Granger was impatient?” chuckled Ron.

“Only when it comes to finding things out, Won-Won,” she countered.

“That was low,” smirked Harry.

“Seriously, Hermione, did you really have to bring that up?” asked Ron, leaning against the pillar behind him. “I mean, if it’s all the same, I want to forget everything that happened last – wha?”

Harry jumped and drew his wand as the column Ron was leaning against shifted backwards and a low rumble sounded around them.

“What did you do now?” asked Hermione, getting to her feet.

“I don’t know!” exclaimed Ron. “I didn’t do anything!”

“Guys,” said Harry, pointing at the throne. “Look.”

Ron and Hermione turned to see the cobweb-covered chair slide a few feet to the right.

“What the?” said Harry, walking up to it. The throne had moved aside to reveal a dark stone staircase.

“Whoa,” said Ron, looking down. “I suppose we have to go down there?”

“I would assume so,” said Hermione.

“Ladies first,” said Ron, motioning her to go down.

“Why thank you Ronald, I never knew you were such a chicken,” said Hermione brightly, casting Lumos on her wand before descending into the darkness. Harry swore he heard Ron mutter, “Mental,” as he followed her. Chuckling to himself, he was thankful for Hermione’s intelligence as he too walked down the stone steps.

The moment his head cleared the floor, the throne slid back into place, trapping them.

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed Ron. “How are we going to get out now?”

“We’ll find a way,” said Hermione. “Let’s keep moving.”

The stairs ended quickly but turned into a low, damp tunnel that they had to walk through hunched over.

“Why is it always caves?” muttered Harry to himself, holding his lit wand by his head.

“Sorry?” asked Ron.

“Nothing,” said Harry.

“We must be under the ocean by now,” said Hermione from in front. “I think if we...”

“What is – oof!” began Harry, but he had walked into Ron who had walked into Hermione who had suddenly stopped.

“Look,” she whispered, holding her wand up.

They had reached a vast open area, and as Hermione held her wand above her head, the light from it sparkled from every corner in the room.

“It’s diamond,” whispered Ron in amazement, his jaw slack. “It’s all diamond.”

“The Hall of Reflection,” said Harry. “You said it was destroyed.”

“I...it was thought to have been,” said Hermione. “But...oh my...”

“You said it,” said Harry, walking past her, into the open area. “Let’s not touch anything while we’re in here, got it Ron?”

“Huh?” asked Ron, snapping out of his daze. “Oh...sure.”

“Let’s keep moving then,” said Harry, leading them forward. They walked in stunned silence for a couple minutes until a brilliant column of white marble came into view.

“Wow,” said Harry, stopping.

“Never a dull moment with you, eh mate?” laughed Ron clapping him on the shoulder. “What d’you reckon you’re supposed to do now?”

“I don’t know,” said Harry, walking up to the pillar.

“Harry, look,” said Hermione quickly. “The bracelet.”

Harry looked down at his right wrist and was taken aback to see the same three runes as before glowing silver again.

“There’s a hole here,” said Ron, looking at the pillar. Harry pulled out the diamond and studied it for a moment.

“It looks like it would fit,” he said.

“Try it,” encouraged Ron. Harry looked questioningly at Hermione.

“There’s nothing else for it,” she shrugged. “Go ahead.”

Harry nodded and fitted the gem perfectly into the hole. The three of them stepped back as the air started to bristle with magic and suddenly the white marble transformed into pure light, nearly blinding them.

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed Ron.

“You have completed the first part of your journey, Harry Potter,” the bracelet said. A silver mist began to swirl around the column.

“What do I do now?” he asked.

“Your path leads you to your past, your destiny is your destination.”

“What does that mean?” asked Harry, shielding his eyes with his arm.

“That you must now travel to a place where you have already been,” said the bracelet. “I can tell you no more.”

The silver mist converged and the bracelet became infused with it, the light diminishing and returning to its marble form. Harry looked down and saw that the three runes on the bracelet were now sparkling; they had turned to diamond. A small plunk sounded and Harry looked to the ground where a rectangular ruby had appeared, the marble-like diamond nowhere in sight.

“Okay,” said Ron, brushing himself off as Hermione walked over to Harry. “What just happened?”

“I have to go somewhere that I’ve been in my past,” said Harry as Hermione picked up the gem.

“What?” she asked. “Somewhere in your past?”

“The bracelet said my destiny is my destination, whatever that means,” shrugged Harry as Hermione held the ruby out near the bracelet, causing the three runes to the left of the diamond ones to glow red.

“Despair,” she said, handing the gem to Harry.

“It didn’t say anything else?” asked Ron. “Like, how to get out of here maybe?”

“You need not try, only think, and you will be free,” the bracelet said, startling Harry.

“What is it?” asked Hermione.

“I...I think we need to apparate out,” said Harry

“Through Merlin knows how many metres of stone?” asked Ron incredulously.

“Well we could just walk back to the stairs and only have to apparate through the throne,” suggested Hermione. Ron opened his mouth to retort but closed it.

“What?” asked Harry with a smile as Ron frowned.

“You always have to steal my thunder, don’t you?” he asked Hermione, who laughed.

“Trust me Ron, your stomach makes more thunder than I could possibly ever steal,” she said as they began to walk back to the stairs.

=====

The flight back to Hogwarts was uneventful and passed rather quickly to Harry, who was preoccupied thinking about places he had been to in his past that were connected to despair.

They landed on the grounds and removed their Disillusionment Charms just in time to see Luna come running out of the castle at them.

“What is it?” asked Harry quickly.

“I was told to come and get you the moment you came back,” said Luna breathing hard.

“What’s happened?” asked Ron.

“I don’t know, they wouldn’t tell me, but something’s happened to Professor Lupin –”

She never got to finish as Harry had hopped on his broom and flown straight into the castle.

“Where is he?” he demanded a few seconds later, flying through the open doors of the Hospital Ward.

“Get off the broom!” shouted Madam Pomfrey from next to the bed that Remus was laying on. “This is a clinic not a quidditch pitch!”

“Come over here Potter,” said McGonagal, steering him off to the side.

“What happened?” asked Harry, refusing to be deterred.

“There’s good news, good news and bad news,” said McGonagal honestly.

“The bad news being that Remus got hurt?” asked Harry.

“Yes,” said McGonagal as Hermione, Ron, and Luna arrived. “But the good news is he should be okay.” This information calmed Harry slightly.

“What happened to him?” he asked

“We found a trapdoor in the room Draco described,” said McGonagal. “It lead into a long hall that was filled with traps, which is where Remus got hurt. He failed to move out of the way of some falling rocks quickly enough.”

Harry glanced around her and saw that a large portion of Remus’ forehead was black and blue.

“Alright,” he said, taking a breath. “What’s the other good news?”

“This,” responded McGonagal, pulling a golden teacup from her robes.

---------------

For those of you who keep track, Cornish Pixie was in fact a small nod of recognition to Amy and Heaven. I mean, who didn’t love Dolly? (If you don’t know, then get off yer arse and go read their stories, you should’ve done it already)

In closing this week, I would like each of you who read this to take a quick moment of silence for Paul Dana, the Indy Racing League driver who was killed on Sunday, March 26th in a practice run crash. I am not a follower of racing, but I think it is important to understand the lengths that some people go to in order to deliver us entertainment. While the argument that racing is more for one’s self than for the people viewing it can be made, we should still remember that sports would not be sports if people didn’t pay money to watch them.

It is in lieu of this that we should all reflect on how fragile life is, and it should not be taken for granted. Life is a rare and glorious thing, and should be celebrated along with the people you love. And most importantly, remember every day to tell those people that you do love them.

Paul Dana was 30 years old.

Thanks for reading, and remember, leave me one if you liked it (or even if you didn’t). ::wink::

11. Relationships

Welcome back to all of you.

This week, I would like to say a few words about myself before you begin reading.

This story has been wearing on me as of late. I am having trouble keeping myself motivated, and part of that reason is because I don’t feel the H/Hr flame as I once did. It’s still there, but what was once a magnificent bonfire has been reduced to smoldering embers.

It is important to remember that I do not get paid for doing this...I do it merely for the enjoyment of others, and myself. In the past, fanfiction was a way for me to escape my harsh reality and enjoy a world of fantasy where I can control what happens.

However, a very wise person made a good point to me a few weeks ago, and that has helped me realize some of the errors of my ways.

My fantasies used to involve helping the world the way Harry does, and the way Hermione helps him. Unfortunately, the odds of me being able to accomplish something of that magnitude are very slim. I have since come to realise that we all have our specialties, and should we use them to the best of our abilities, we can all help to make this darkened world a better place.

I have not said all this to make you fear for the life of this story. I would never betray my readers like that. I value one thing above all others and that is honor. To quit a story is dishonorable. I have no intentions of doing that, nor of letting the quality of this story deteriorate. The world is in need to brightness during these dark times, and if I can help bring that light, then I will damn well do it to my finest ability.

I do however, request one thing from you, my readers.

At the end of each chapter, I shall no longer leave an authors note, but a small portion of my wisdom which I impart to you. If you take nothing else from my writings, take my wisdom, and use it to better your own lives, and the lives of those around you.

(Note that I’m not really trying to be conceited here, even though it may come off like that).

With that being said, enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 11: Relationships

Harry sighed and looked out at the powder-covered grounds from the window in the common room.

“Hard to believe it’s already December, isn’t it?” asked Ron, from his seat on the floor across from Neville, who was currently contemplating his next move on the chessboard.

“A bit,” admitted Harry, turning around and leaning against the window. “I’m still worried about Lupin.”

“I thought he was doing better,” said Ginny from the sofa.

“Yeah, but Tonks says he wants to get back to Order duties and isn’t spending enough time resting,” said Harry.

“She’s good for him,” commented Hermione from her chair near the fireplace.

“Aye,” said Ron as Neville moved. “Checkmate.”

“Bloody hell,” groaned Neville as Ron grinned and moved to reset the pieces. “You should be doing this for money, Ron.”

“Hmm,” he said thoughtfully. “You may have something there Nev. Hey Gin, why don’t you play while I discuss this with Harry.”

“Ron, I don’t think gambling is a good –”

“I think,” stressed Ron. “That I’d like to discuss it with Harry while my sister plays a game of chess with Neville.”

Harry saw Hermione about to argue but then something clicked and she sighed and waved him off.

“You’re a sneaky one,” muttered Harry and Ron walked over to him. “You don’t have a problem with them?”

“Nah,” shrugged Ron, watching Neville and Ginny banter playfully while finishing setting up the pieces. “She’s different around him than she is with any other bloke...it’s almost like she’s...”

“Relaxed?” asked Harry, finishing Ron’s sentence.

“Yeah,” said Ron, rubbing the back of his neck. “Like they’re natural together.”

Harry smiled and looked over at Hermione who was reading a book.

“Listen, mate,” said Ron. “Can you cover for me for a bit? I...I want to run to the kitchens real quick.”

“Sure,” grinned Harry. “And say hi to Luna for me while you’re at it.”

Ron said nothing, but Harry could see a blush creep up to the tips of his ears as he walked away and out of the common room.

“Where did he go?” asked Hermione as Harry walked over and sat on one of the armrests of the chair she was sitting in.

“Oh, just to the kitchens,” smiled Harry.

“Hmm...I’m sure,” chuckled Hermione. “When did he and Luna finally get together?”

“I don’t know,” answered Harry. “I think it was the first Hogsmeade weekend, but every time I bring it up he gets this goofy grin on his face and blushes before changing the subject.”

“Well it’s good for both of them,” said Hermione with a smile. “Can you imagine what their kids will be like?”

“I’m not quite sure the world is ready for that,” laughed Harry.

“Not quite sure the world is ready for what?” asked Ginny from her seat.

“Your brother’s children,” chuckled Harry.

“Him and Luna?” asked Ginny. Hermione nodded. “Yeah...I can’t really fathom that.”

“Would you go for a walk with me?” asked Harry softly as Ginny and Neville resumed their chess game. Hermione looked up at him with a gentle smile and nodded.

“Where are you two going?” asked Neville as they began walking out.

“Where do you think?” smirked Ginny. “They’re going off to snog somewhere.”

Hermione’s face reddened mercilessly at that, but Harry simply laughed.

“Keep your fantasies to yourself, Gin,” he said. “Or you could share them with Nev if you wanted...”

Harry and Hermione chuckled as they walked out of the common room, Ginny’s face as red as her hair.

“Well...that was embarrassing,” said Neville once they had gone, his face also slightly flushed. “You...you don’t really fantasize about Harry, do you?”

“No,” said Ginny honestly. She paused for a moment before smiling and looking up at him. “Would you like to know who I do fantasize about?”

“Um....” gulped Neville as Ginny smiled gently and leaned over the chessboard.

=====

“It’s so beautiful out,” whispered Hermione as they walked out onto the terrace at the top of the Astronomy Tower. “It’s a shame it’s cold enough to be snowing.”

“Here,” said Harry, giving her his robe.

“You’ll freeze,” protested Hermione.

“Nah,” said Harry, wrapping the garment around her shoulders. Hermione smiled and looked at him.

“You just shivered.”

“I did n-not,” replied Harry, his teeth chattering on the last word. Hermione laughed.

“Come here,” she said, drawing her wand and transfiguring his robe so that it was large enough to cover over both of them. Smiling he stepped into her embrace and let the robe settle around both of them. “Why do you like it up here so much?”

“I dunno,” he said honestly. “It’s so quiet...and peaceful...and it’s about as close as I can come to flying without having to take my feet off the ground.”

“It is rather nice,” smiled Hermione, resting her head on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you ever wonder what you’ll do when this is all over?”

“You mean the war?” he asked. Hermione nodded. “I don’t know,” he replied truthfully. “I’ve always wanted to be an auror...but after all the Ministry has done to me and the people I care about, I’m not sure I could work for them.”

“I can understand that,” whispered Hermione.

“I guess...for now, all I want is you in my life,” smiled Harry.

“Thank you.” They stood together in silence for a while before Hermione spoke again. “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything,” replied Harry.

“Do you think we’re trying too hard?” she asked. “To figure out that despair riddle, I mean.” Harry sighed.

“I have no clue,” he shrugged. “We don’t have much to go on...only that it’s south and that I’ve been there before.”

“And we tried the Dursley’s and Godric’s Hollow already,” continued Hermione. “But those came up empty.”

“I think it’s a good thing that they weren’t home when we stopped by,” chuckled Harry. “I doubt Vernon would’ve been too pleased to see us all again.”

“You’re probably right,” smiled Hermione.

“I’m still concerned about the horcruxes,” said Harry. “I mean, we’ve had incredible luck in finding the two that we did...but we still have two more to find and we literally have nothing to go on.”

“We’ll find something,” said Hermione softly. “We have to.”

Harry felt something cold touch the back of his neck and looked up, blinking as flakes of snow began to slowly descend onto their heads.

“Maybe we should head inside,” he said. “We do need to get to sleep sometime tonight, after all.”

“I suppose so,” smiled Hermione as they stood up.

“So what’re you getting me for Christmas?” asked Harry jovially as they began walking down the stairs of the tower.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” replied Hermione mischievously.

“Not even a little hint?” he asked.

“Not in the slightest.”

“How about a big hint then?”

Hermione laughed as they stepped inside the portrait hole but stopped suddenly at the sight in front of them.

“Er...hey guys,” said Ginny nervously from her spot on top of Neville.

“Why did you stop?” asked Harry looking around from behind her. “Oh.”

“Erm…I guess I’ll go to bed,” said Neville, quite red in the face. “Night Gin.”

“Night,” she said softly as he hurried up the stairs.

Once the door to the dorm had closed Harry and Hermione turned on Ginny.

“Look, just don’t tell my brother,” she asked before either of them could say anything.

“He has a right to know,” said Harry. “If you wanted to keep it private you shouldn’t have been snogging out in the open like that.”

“I know,” sighed Ginny.

“But we won’t tell him,” said Harry with a smile. “You should.”

“Or better yet, tell him together,” suggested Hermione. “That’d be a good gesture.”

“It’s not like we’re getting married,” said Ginny good-naturedly, rolling her eyes.

“As of yet,” grinned Harry, to which Ginny blushed. “I’m happy for you two.”

“Thanks,” she said. “He’s just been so wonderful lately.”

“I’m glad to see he got off his arse at least,” said Harry. “I had to give him a bit of a shove, I did.”

Ginny and Hermione laughed at that.

“So does that mean I’ll have to have him give you a shove in return?” asked Ginny, winking at Hermione who blushed.

“Huh?” asked Harry, oblivious to Ginny’s meaning.

“Nothing,” she smiled. “I’m going to bed. Night you two.”

“Night,” chorused Harry and Hermione.

Chuckling. they sat down on the couch once Ginny had gone.

“So Ginny and Neville, huh?” laughed Harry. “It’s good to see that finally happen.”

“I agree,” said Hermione. “They really looked good together at the Yule Ball.”

“They weren’t the only thing that looked great,” smiled Harry. Hermione arched an eyebrow at him before it dawned on her and she rolled her eyes.

“Please,” she said. “It was just because of what I did to my hair.”

“It was because you were just as gorgeous then as you are now,” he replied honestly.

“You weren’t too bad yourself,” blushed Hermione. “But we have a long day of searching ahead of us, we should probably get some sleep.”

“Agreed,” said Harry stretching. “Oh, by the way, are you coming to the Burrow for the holidays?”

“Of course,” nodded Hermione. “I’m going to spend the first couple of days with my parents but I’ll be with you and Ron before long.”

“Excellent,” smiled Harry. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Night,” said Hermione, kissing him on the cheek.

Had Harry not been lightheaded from her kiss, he might’ve felt the strange prickling sensation in his scar as he headed up the stairs.

=====

“Ugh, I’m famished,” said Ron, stretching his arms out from behind his head. “Wanna get something to eat Harry?”

“Sure,” he replied. “Any of you want to come with?”

“I will,” said Luna from her seat beside Ginny.

“Could you bring me back something?” asked Hermione, her nose buried in ‘Spell Roots, the Differences Between Light and Dark Magic’.

“Sure, you want anything Ginny?” asked Harry.

“No, I’m okay,” she replied, studying some ancient runes in a book.

“Be back in a few,” said Ron, as he, Luna, and Harry walked out of the library.

“So I’m thinking some fish and chips,” said Ron, dreamily. “Haven’t had that in a while.”

“Sounds good,” smiled Luna, looking at Ron with the same expression he was wearing. Harry chuckled and shook his head.

They arrived at the kitchen in a view minutes, all the elves parting to make way for the sprinting Dobby who nearly tackled Harry.

“HARRY POTTER SIR!” the elf squealed. “Tis good to see you again sir!”

“Thanks, Dobby,” said Harry, breathing hard. “Do you think we could get some food?”

“Of course,” said Dobby, bowing low. “What does you desire?”

“Two plates of fish and chips and how about a leg of lamb and a plate of roast chiken?” asked Harry. Instantly the house-elves made themselves busy to prepare the food. “And four butterbeers?”

Dobby nodded and snapped his fingers, a tray with four frosty, ice-cold bottles of butterbeer appearing which he handed to another elf.

“Does sirs and miss require anything else?” asked Dobby, bowing again.

“Come to think of it,” said Harry, squinting around the kitchen. “Where’s Kreacher?”

“Why do you want to see him?” asked Ron as another elf went to summon the creature that had lived under the ownership of the Black family for so long.

“Just to check up on him, make sure he’s behaving himself.”

“Oh Kreacher behaves,” said Dobby, shuffling his feet. “But he mutters bad things under his breath…they worry Dobby and the other elves.”

“Like what?” asked Harry as Kreacher walked up to him, dragging his feet.

“Master called?” he spat, looking at the floor.

“I did,” nodded Harry, crossing his arms. “What have you been saying to the other elves?”

“Nothing,” smiled Kreacher nastily, baring his yellow teeth.

“What have you been saying to yourself?”

Kreacher scowled at him.

“Only that the filthy mudbloods and muggle protectors will soon be getting what they deserve,” he answered.

“What do you mean by that?” asked Harry.

“Only what I said,” said Kreacher. “Does Master need anything else? Kreacher has work to do.”

“No, get back to work,” said Harry, eyeing the elf carefully as he stalked off to the back of the kitchen.

“Dobby has been worried about him,” said Dobby, watching his retreating back. “He has not the normal defeated presence about him like he used to.”

“We’ll have to see what Hermione says about that,” said Ron.

“Can’t you ask him if he’s up to anything?” asked Luna.

“I doubt it would do much good,” sighed Harry as their food was brought to them. “He can find a loophole to almost any question.”

“Mind bringing this stuff up to the library for us?” asked Ron.

“Not at all sirs and miss,” squeaked an unknown house-elf. “We will charm the food so only you can sees it, that way you won’ts get yelled at by the mean lady.”

“The mean lady?” asked Harry with a smirk.

“Bellie means Miz Pince,” replied Dobby with a bow. “She treats us elves very harshly...says we disturb her books.”

“I wonder what Hermione would say about that,” commented Harry.

“Hey, thanks,” smiled Ron as the food was put onto silver trays carried by four elves. “You’re all a right blessing, that you are.”

Every house-elf in view bowed at the compliment.

“Dobby hopes he will see Harry Potter again sometime,” smiled Dobby.

“You will,” nodded Harry as they turned to leave. “Thanks for everything Dobby.”

“For you sir, anything.”

Harry couldn’t help but snigger at the sight of himself, Ron, and Luna walking back to the library followed by four house-elves.

“I wonder if Hermione’s going to approve of this,” laughed Ron as they neared their destination.

“Dunno,” said Harry. “I hope she doesn’t mind.”

“We really wonder about what Hermione would think of things a lot, don’t we?” asked Ron with a laugh. “It can’t be healthy.”

“It is a bit disconcerting at times,” smiled Luna. “And I doubt she’ll dislike the food, Harry. You picked it, after all.”

“I suppose,” smiled Harry as they entered the library.

“Back already?” asked Ginny as they sat down, the elves placing the trays on the table carefully.

“Yeah,” said Ron, grinning greedily at his meal.

“That was fast,” commented Hermione, looking at her food. “Thanks for having brining me this, Harry.”

“Don’t thank me, thank the elves,” he replied, leaning back in his chair. Hermione looked down and saw the four elves standing next to her, each of them bowing when she saw them.

“You brought this up for me?” asked Hermione. All four head nodded eagerly at once. “I should pay you then...just let me get my coin pouch...”

“Um...that’s okay miss! We have lots of work to do and must return to the kitchens!” squeaked one of the elves.

“Nonsense,” said Hermione. “Just give me one second –”

One second and four cracks later the elves were gone.

“Well really,” huffed Hermione. “That wasn’t very courteous.”

“You just frighten them a bit sometimes,” smiled Harry.

“Frighten?” asked Hermione indignantly.

“Overwhelm?” suggested Harry.

“I suppose you’re right, maybe I should ease up on the whole thing a little bit,” smiled Hermione.

“Ease up on what?” asked Ron, wiping his mouth on his sleeve.

“Bloody hell, you ate all of your already?” asked Harry, eyes wide.

“I said I was hungry,” shrugged Ron. “You gonna eat that, mate?”

“Yes,” said Harry. “Yes I am.”

“Pity,” said Ron with a smile, grabbing a book and flipping it open.

As the day wore on Harry grew bored of staring at the endless waves text trying to discern a glimmer of information. Ginny had long since left to go find some broom cupboard with Neville, and Luna was paying more attention to Ron than the books. Sighing, he tiredly put his head down on the table and closed his eyes, thinking about going the next day when they would depart Hogwarts for the holidays

“Did you find out?”

“I did, my lord.”

“Very good, when will we be ready?”

“Two days.”

“Excellent...the students will have settled in their homes for the holiday by then, with the aid of nightfall it will be the perfect time to strike.”

“How do you wish us to proceed?”

“I will tell you when the time comes...”

“When the times comes for what?” asked Harry out loud.

“Hmm?” asked Hermione, looking up.

Harry jolted upright. Luna and Hermione were watching him intently while Ron was giving him an appraising look with a raised eyebrow.

“I...I think we may have a problem,” said Harry, standing up. “We should see McGonagal.”

=====

“Are you sure of this?” asked the headmistress, standing by a window with her back to Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna.

“Of what I heard?” asked Harry. “Definitely. But there were no faces...only Voldemort’s voice and someone else I recognised but couldn’t put my finger on.”

“It sounds as if he plans to attack the school,” said McGonagal, turning around and walking over to her desk.

“But why would he attack when the students are gone?” asked Hermione as the headmistress sat down. “Wouldn’t that cause less casualties?”

“If he plans on doing it that way, he’ll have a reason,” sighed McGonagal. “It might be that he wants less resistance, it might be that he’s trying to catch us off guard...it could be anything.”

“So what are we going to do about it?” asked Ron.

You are going to do nothing,” said McGonagal sternly. “Except sit in your respective houses and enjoy the holiday.”

“But we’re members of the Order too!” protested Harry. “Why are we being excluded from defending the school?”

“Because I will not risk your life to protect a simple building, Potter,” said McGonagal. “And I’m simply not stupid enough to allow Miss Granger or Mister Weasley here to fight when I forbade you from it.”

Harry opened his mouth to protest but closed it in defeat.

“Nevertheless, I will make sure we are adequately protected from any invasions,” said McGonagal. “I will send for help from the Ministry –”

“Since when does the Ministry ever help anyone but themselves?” asked Harry indignantly.

“If you would let me finish, Potter,” said McGonagal. “I was going to say that I’ll send an anonymous tip that Hogwarts will be attacked.”

“I get it,” said Luna softly from beside Ron. “If you send an anonymous tip, the Ministry will act because then it looks like they had the information first and took the initiative. If there is an attack and they help prevent it, it makes them look very good.”

“Correct,” said McGonagal. “And if they’re wrong, they can just say they were here to make sure I was doing my job or some bureaucratic idiocy like that.”

“And you don’t care that the Ministry would get the credit for something like that?” asked Hermione. McGonagal pondered her answer for a while before speaking.

“Part of me is still very angry at the Ministry for the crimes they have committed against all of wizard-kind in the past,” admitted McGonagal. “But becoming the head of this school changes you. The politics really stop mattering and all that you want is to protect the school and the way of life it engenders. If you have to say thank you to people who are stuck up in order to maintain that safety, then that is a price I’m willing to pay.”

“Well said, Minerva, my dear,” said the portrait of Dumbledore from above their heads.

“Thank you, Albus,” nodded McGonagal. “Now then, I will begin preparations to defend the castle. You four should start packing so you’re not late for the train tomorrow.”

“Yes ma’am,” muttered Harry as he turned around and stalked from the office.

“Harry?” asked Hermione, running to catch up with him as he stormed down the corridor. “What are you going to do?”

“What I was told to do,” he grumbled, moving ahead. “But I don’t like it one bit.”

“I don’t either,” said Hermione, touching his arm to get him to slow down. “It seems very...off to me.”

“In what way?” asked Harry, slowing his pace.

“I don’t know...it just doesn’t seem very natural.”

Harry nodded in thought as the two of them walked on, Ron and Luna trailing behind, all wondering just what exactly was going on.

=====

Two days later Harry found himself perched once again on the Weasley’s roof, waiting anxiously for Hermione’s arrival in the unseasonably warm weather. He had received multiple owls from various members of the Order assuring him that any attack made by Voldemort would be met with equal, if not greater resistance, as the Ministry had followed up on the ‘anonymous tip’ in spades. His fears temporarily at bay, Harry’s mind was now on the Christmas present he had gotten Hermione, which was currently residing in his right pocket.

He had returned to the Burrow only to realize that he had forgotten to stop in at Scrivenshaft’s before the trip home, and frantically spent two hours pacing the living room of the Burrow before Luna made a timely appearance and presented him with a solution.

“I’m sorry?” asked Harry in disbelief.

“I said let’s go shopping,” repeated Luna with a smile. “There’s a nice set of muggle shops a few kilometers from here, it’s an easy walk, and it’s broad daylight so we’re not really at risk.”

“Don’t you have plans with Ron?” asked Harry, though in the back of his mind he was more interested in where Ron had been all morning.

“Oh, he and my father are having a nice discussion right now,” grinned Luna. “Ronald came over earlier and apparently father decided that they should have a little talk, so I have the afternoon free.”

“The whole afternoon?” asked Harry incredulously.

“Father is very protective of me,” smiled Luna. “Now then, shall we be off?”

“Er...sure, why not,” shrugged Harry, thinking that something would be better than nothing.

Something had appeared in the form of a muggle ring that was supposed to be some sort of promise from the giver to the receiver. After paying the man in the shop, Harry and Luna had leisurely walked back to the Burrow while she told him the history behind ‘promise rings’.

And so, three hours later Harry was sitting on the roof, watching Luna pick dandelions in the backyard of the Burrow while Ron was busily trying to hurl a garden gnome over the forest.

“Hey, you.”

“AH!” Harry jumped and nearly fell off the roof at the voice that came from directly above his left shoulder. Turning around he saw Hermione floating lazily on a broom above him, trying very hard not to laugh.

“I’m sorry,” she said giggling. “But I couldn’t resist.”

“You should try harder next time,” said Harry clutching his chest. “Bloody hell Hermione you almost gave me a heart attack.”

“I’m sorry,” repeated Hermione, more sincerely.

“I thought you weren’t coming by until tonight,” said Harry, laying back down as Hermione landed beside him.

“I wasn’t...but I wanted to see you and my parents refused to let me stay around the house with that ‘misty-eyed look’, as my mum so elegantly put it, any longer,” smiled Hermione.

“Misty-eyed look?” asked Harry with a grin.

“Don’t start,” said Hermione rolling her eyes.

“Aw, you missed me, didn’t you,” grinned Harry.

“Sod off,” replied Hermione lightheartedly.

“I’ll let you in on a little secret,” whispered Harry in her ear.

“What?” asked Hermione, her voice catching a little.

“I miss me too.”

“Harry Potter!” exclaimed Hermione as he cackled in laughter. “That was mean.”

“So sweet, the revenge I have exacted,” he smiled.

Down in the garden, Luna looked up at the two teens on the roof laughing as if there were no problems in the world.

“Do you ever notice how the higher up off the ground Harry is, the more at ease he seems to be?” asked Luna as Ron hurled another garden gnome over the fence.

“Wouldn’t surprise me,” he said, coming over to watch them. “It’s good that he’s gotten Hermione to stop being so scared of heights.”

“I wonder what they’re going on about,” commented Luna as Hermione threw her head back in laughter.

“Probably laughing about how red I was in the face after that meeting with your dad,” smiled Ron.

“Oh come now, Ronald,” smiled Luna, turning around to face him. “Surely it wasn’t that bad.”

“I believe his words were, ‘don’t even think about defiling my daughter in an unromantic setting,’” laughed Ron, turning slightly red.

“He didn’t really say that, did he?” asked Luna, a slight blush creeping up her face.

“Yeah, he did,” said Ron, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Well?” asked Luna, turning around to face him. “Do you plan on ‘defiling’ me somewhere unromantic?”

“I...w-what?” asked Ron, his face flaming as he slowly took a step backwards.

“You heard me,” replied Luna softly, looking at him with a gentle smile.

“I...er...to be honest I haven’t really thought about it,” stammered Ron. Luna arched an eyebrow at him. “That’s not what I meant, I mean, I’ve thought about you and me...like that...”

“Ronald,” giggled Luna grabbing his hand. “You don’t need to be so embarrassed around me.”

“I know...I just...” sighed Ron. “I’ve never felt this way about someone like you before...and I don’t want to screw it up.”

“Ronald,” sighed Luna, her eyes shining. “That’s the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me.”

“It is?” asked Ron, surprised.

“And to be honest, I feel the same way,” she said, wrapping her arms around him.

“Thanks...I guess,” smiled Ron. Luna looked up at him and grinned.

“Can I ask you something?” she asked.

“Of course,” nodded Ron.

“Do you want to?”

“Er...I’m sorry?” asked Ron.

“Do you want to...you know, defile me,” smiled Luna shyly. Ron coughed loudly.

“Well, er...I don’t suppose defile is really the right word,” he said looking away.

“Ron,” whispered Luna, placing her hand on his cheek and turning his head back to look at her. “It’s okay to be shy...just don’t look away.”

“I’m sorry,” he apologised.

“I want to also,” she whispered. “When the time is right.”

“That’s kinda how I feel about it too,” nodded Ron.

“Glad to see we’re on the same page then,” smiled Luna as she leaned up and placed her lips on his.

“Hey, look down there,” whispered Harry, nudging Hermione. Hermione leaned forward so she could get a better view and smiled at the scene below them.

“They’re so good for each other,” she sighed, leaning her head on Harry’s shoulder. “Like they balance each other out.”

“I know two other people who are like that,” whispered Harry, looking into Hermione’s eyes.

“Who?” she asked softly.

Harry made up his mind in that instant. He took Hermione’s hand, smiled, leaned forward, and –”

“Oi! Harry!” shouted Ron from the yard.

“What Ron?” grumbled Harry, pulling away reluctantly.

“How about a game of two-on-two quidditch?” yelled Ron.

“Oh no,” said Hermione, shaking her head. “Nuh uh, not happening.”

“Oh come on,” shouted Luna in delight. “It’ll be fun!”

“Come on,” whispered Harry. “You can be the keeper, you don’t even have to fly fast.”

“You really want me to play that badly?” asked Hermione, looking at him.

“Please?” he whimpered with a pout on his face.

“Oh fine,” said Hermione rolling her eyes. “Just stop that.”

Harry laughed as Ron cheered from the yard below them as Hermione stood up to fly down to them. Harry looked at her meaningfully as if to apologise for what didn’t happen but she just smiled and shook her head.

“It’s okay,” said Hermione. “We’ll have time.”

Harry watched her descend to down Ron and Luna, and couldn’t help but wonder how many more days full of laughter and happiness were left before the world came crashing down on them.

---------------

For my first little piece of wisdom, I shall share with you the advice that was given to me that I commented about earlier in my author’s note up top.

It is very tough to compete with real life when you’re up against the idealized version that you made for yourself.

Essentially, don’t get caught up living in your fantasies, and forget to live in the real world.

That’s all for this week, and remember, leave a review! (They help stoke the fires, if you get my drift).

12. Green, Red, and Silver

You know, just when I think I’m burnt out, you guys come through for me with colors.

Thank you for all the wonderful reviews last chapter, they meant more to me than you guys know. As a token of my appreciation, I actually got this week's chapter out on Friday, instead of Saturday in the early AM. With that said, let us continue!

---------------

Chapter 12: Green, Red, and Silver

“It’s getting late, you all should come in for dinner!” yelled Molly from the door.

“One more game?” asked Ron, coming to a halt in the air.

“You heard me Ronald Weasley,” replied Molly. “And get washed up. I don’t want to have to smell your stink during dinner.”

“Thanks Mum,” muttered Ron as his mother went back into the house.

“So that’s it then?” asked Hermione, flying circles around Harry.

“You’re enjoying yourself,” smiled Harry, watching her intently.

“It’s more fun than I thought,” she replied, stopping in front of him. “And it turns out I’m not half bad at playing keeper.”

“You’re a bloody menace,” growled Ron. “Almost as good as me.”

“Being a keeper is all mental, Ronald,” smiled Luna from her broom. “And I think Hermione has the advantage there.”

“Thank you, Luna,” grinned Hermione.

“I’m the better flyer,” pointed out Ron.

“Which is why she didn’t wipe the pitch with you,” smirked Harry. “Let’s not get into a debate about this right now, I’m in the mood for some of your mum’s famous cooking.”

“Hear hear,” cheered Ron as the four of them flew to the ground.

“Hey, by the way,” asked Hermione as they landed. “Who won?” Harry and Ron looked at each other and shrugged.

“Guess we were having too much fun to pay attention,” smiled Harry. “It’s certainly been long enough since I could say that.”

“Right you are mate,” laughed Ron, clapping Harry on the shoulder as they walked off ahead. “Now let’s go get cleaned up, I reckon we smell a sight worse than a pair of Blast-Ended Skrewts.”

“For the record, it was a draw,” smiled Luna softly from beside Hermione as the boys walked in the house.

“I know,” smiled Hermione looking after them. “I just wanted to see if they did.”

“They’ve certainly grown up,” sighed Luna as they entered the Burrow.

“Yes they have,” nodded Hermione.

“Look at you two!” exclaimed Molly who was busily skinning potatoes by the sink. “You’re nearly as bad as the boys! Go wash up, the both of you.”

“Yes Mrs. Weasley,” chorused Hermione and Luna, sharing a lighthearted smile with the matriarch of the Weasley clan.

“She’s right though, we are quite dirty,” noted Luna as they climbed the stairs. “Perhaps I’ll go see if Ronald wants to share a quick shower with me.”

Hermione froze and slowly turned around to look at the blond.

“No, perhaps you’re right,” sighed Luna. “Ronald’s brain might implode.”

“Are you two...” trailed Hermione

“Having sex?” asked Luna bluntly. Hermione blushed but nodded slightly. “Unfortunately, no.”

“Oh,” was all she could reply.

“I’ll be patient,” smiled Luna as they resumed ascending the stairs. “It’ll be all the better.”

“I can believe that,” muttered Hermione with a smile.

=====

Dinner turned out to be a grand affair, as Molly had made the effort to bring all of the Weasley family together for the holidays. They were nearly done with the meal when the Bill stood from his chair.

“Everyone!” he called out among the chatter of the dinner table. “Could you lend me your ears for a moment?”

Fred and George wasted no time in pulling some fake plastic ears out of their pockets and tossing them at their older brother.

“Always the literalists,” said Bill rolling his eyes as the table let out a collective groan.

“Just prepared,” grinned Fred.

“As I was saying,” continued Bill, smiling down at his wife. “Fleur and I have some news.”

“I’ll bet you she’s pregnant,” whispered Hermione to Harry.

“Do tell,” called out George. “We’re all dying to know about your marital life, after all.”

“Would you like me to remind you that I’m your big brother?” asked Bill in a humorously threatening tone of voice.

“We flinch not,” smiled Fred, leaning back in his chair. “We have Harry on our side, after all.”

“Ohh, no,” said Harry shaking his head. “I’m not getting dragged into this.”

“Aw, but it’ll be fun,” coerced George. Harry shook his head again. “Fine. Spoilsport.”

“Now then,” said Bill, exasperated. “Fleur and I are going to be parents.”

The room was instantly drowned out by Molly’s scream as she rushed over to crush her older son in a vise-grip hug, while the people in the room who could breathe applauded.

“Told you,” grinned Hermione.

“I never said I didn’t agree with you,” smiled Harry as people crowded around Fleur to give her congratulations.

“Oh lord, I’m going to be an aunt,” groaned Ginny, getting up reluctantly.

“What’s wrong with that?” asked Luna from beside Ron.

“It just makes me feel old,” smirked Ginny. “Like I’ll end up alone with cats or something like that.”

“I hardly think that Neville would let something like that happen,” smiled Hermione, to which Ginny blushed. “Speaking of which, where is he anyway?”

“Home for the holidays,” sighed the red head. “He’s going to try and come over on Christmas Day, but his gran wanted him home the rest of the time.”

“Don’t worry Gin, I’m sure you two will see plenty of each other when you’re back in school,” smiled Harry.

“I hope so,” she muttered.

The five teens congratulated Bill and Fleur in turn, and before long they found themselves in the back yard, awaiting word from Molly for dessert.

“It’s a nice night,” commented Hermione, looking up at the sky.

“Sure is,” laughed Ron. “I’d say there’s even enough light for a night game...anyone?”

“I think I’ll pass,” chuckled Harry, looking up at the full moon. “I wonder how Lupin’s doing.”

“I’m sure he’s doing alright,” smiled Hermione. “Besides, he has Tonks to look after –”

The sounds of yelling inside the house were suddenly heard, and the five teens rushed inside to find Kingsley Shacklebolt hunched over the table, badly beaten.

“What’s happened?” asked Harry quickly. “Did they attack Hogwarts?”

“No...” breathed the auror heavily. “They attacked everything else.”

=====

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Ginny all sat waiting in the living room anxiously. So far there had been reports of over fifty attacks, and more were happening by the hour.

“I wonder what time it is,” commented Ron absently. “It’s starting to get light out.”

“About five,” replied Hermione, leaning on Harry’s shoulder.

“You guys don’t need to stay up, you know,” said Harry. “You can go to bed if you want.”

“Well we don’t want,” countered Ginny with a yawn. “There’s too much going on.”

The sound of weary footsteps caused Harry’s head to turn, and he saw a very worn out Tonks shuffling her feet towards him.

“Oh, Merlin,” groaned Harry. “Don’t tell me they called you in during the full moon?”

“Right in one,” she sighed, stopping a few feet from him. “This is an updated list of casualties. McGonagal said you had the right to know.”

“Casualties?” asked Luna.

“Dead, wounded, or missing,” replied Tonks. “It’s sorted into those three sections.”

“Thanks,” nodded Harry, taking the parchment from her outstretched hand.

“If you lot need anything, let me know,” smiled Tonks as she shuffled out of the room.

Harry gazed down at the list of parchment with a frown. He quickly scanned the names under the heading ‘dead’, and let out a small sigh of relief when he didn’t recognise any of the names.

“I don’t recognise anyone who’s been killed,” he said to the four anxious teens in the room.

“I suppose that’s good,” said Ron slowly.

“A few people that are probably parents of some students got injured....” he continued, proceeding down the list to the missing section. “I don’t see anyone missing that I...”

“Harry?” asked Hermione. “What...who is it?”

Harry was unable to speak as he stared hard at the two names on the parchment in his hand.

Dennis Granger

Marilyn Granger

“Harry, if you aren’t going to tell me then at least let me see it,” said Hermione, making a motion to take the list from him.

Harry briefly considered running from the room so Hermione wouldn’t see the names of her parents, but he knew it would only make things worse. Taking a breath to steady himself, he handed the parchment to her and took her hand in his.

“Harry, honestly, what is going...oh my god...”

“What’s wrong?” asked Ron, rising to his feet.

“They’re...they’re gone...my parents...”

“WHAT?!” bellowed Ron and Ginny at the same time. He ran forward and grabbed the list from her, quickly scanning it. The blood drained from his face when he reached their names.

“What...what have I done?” whispered Hermione to herself.

“It’s not your fault,” said Harry softly.

“I should’ve been there...” she whispered. “I left early...I couldn’t protect them...”

And without another word she sprinted off up the stairs.

“Go after her,” said Ginny. “Hurry.”

Harry nodded and quickly ran up the stairs after her, heading straight for the only place she would’ve gone.

He emerged onto the roof to Hermione’s sobs, and he sat down next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and pulling her close to him.

“We’ll get them back,” said Harry after a moment.

“How can you say that?” asked Hermione. “For all we know they’re dead already.” Harry considered this for a moment.

“If they were dead, I think Voldemort would’ve flaunted that in front of us,” he replied.

“I suppose,” sniffled Hermione.

“We’ll get them back,” repeated Harry. “I promise.”

=====

Under strict orders from McGonagal herself, the students were required to stay at the Burrow for the remainder of the holiday. The Order was mobilizing resources and personnel and were already searching for those who were missing. Harry had wanted to start looking for Hermione’s parents right away, but as she had pointed out, that was almost certainly what Voldemort wanted.

Before anyone knew it, Christmas Day had come, and everyone was seated for another one of Molly’s grand Weasley feasts, with the addition of a few members of the Order. The talk had started with the attacks, and hadn’t ceased since.

“How’s Kingsley doing?” asked Ron, pushing the food on his plate around with his fork.

“Better,” said Tonks. “He was one of the few aurors left in London when the attacks started, so it fell to him to defend the high profile targets. He got roughed up pretty good but managed to suppress all of his attackers before reporting coming to us.”

“Speaking of attackers, how many of them did we get?” asked Harry.

“Seven alive, two killed themselves before they could be brought in,” sighed Tonks. “Terrible ratio considering our losses.”

“How bad did it turn out to be?” asked Ginny from beside Neville. The boy had managed to make it over for Christmas just like he had promised, and Ginny seemed to be much better off because of it.

“The final count looks to be close to a hundred dead, thirty or so wounded and another twenty missing,” sighed Lupin, the scratches on his face from the full moon clearly evident. “Some of the deaths were brutal though...the death eaters used more than just the Avada Kedavra. I find it almost ironic that You-Know-Who would have his followers leave bloodied corpses under the dark mark with a note that said ‘happy hols’. Christmas colors, indeed.”

“Let’s not talk about that during dinner,” interjected Molly.

“My apologies,” said Lupin. “Got a bit carried away.”

“Don’t blame you,” grunted Moody, reclining in his chair. “Worst attack in the history of the wizarding world. Never seen anything like it before.”

“What’s the Ministry doing about it?” asked Bill.

“Oh you won’t believe this,” laughed Tonks dryly. “Because they didn’t have the manpower present to respond promptly, they’re claiming the high casualty numbers are because people were inadequately armed to defend themselves.”

“What?” asked Harry incredulously.

“That’s right,” sighed Lupin. “Not only that, Scrimgeour is blaming Ardeth Farston, his successor as head of the auror division, for the lack of people in the areas attacked, when in fact it was Scrimgeour himself that ordered them to Hogwarts.”

“Le travesty!” exclaimed Fleur. “How can a man not take responsibility for ‘eez own actions?”

“He’s just like Fudge,” grimaced Harry. “A bit more tactful, but he’s just the same.”

“He’s calling it the Night of Atrocity,” frowned Tonks. “It’s like he’s making it into some sort of public holiday just to hide the awful job the Ministry did in preventing or controlling it.”

“What does McGonagal have to say about all of this?” asked Harry suddenly. It had occurred to him that he had neither seen, nor heard the headmistress in person since before the attacks, and wondered what was happening.

“She’s hiding her emotions well,” said Lupin. “I think she’s very angry with herself for misinterpreting your dream...but she’s doing her best to quell the problems this has caused for the school.”

“What problems?” asked Luna from beside Ron.

“Namely, safe transportation back to the school for the students whose parents were injured or killed,” replied Lupin. “The ones she can convince to come back, anyway.”

“Ruddy imbeciles, all of them,” grunted Moody. “Hogwarts is the safest place around, everyone knows that.”

“I don’t think everyone does know that, or they’d be there, Alastor,” said Arthur sadly.

“I think it’s high time we stop talking about such depressing subjects,” smiled Molly. “And what say we all open presents while I get dessert ready?”

“Wonderful!” exclaimed Fleur. “I ‘ave presents for everyone! Come, come let us go to ze sitting room.”

“Are you alright?” whispered Harry to Hermione as the assembled people rose from their seats and began heading towards the twinkling fairy lights from the tree. “You’ve hardly touched your food or said or word the entire meal. Or the past couple of days, come to think of it.”

“I’m sorry,” she replied as she stood up. “I guess this has just hit me harder than I thought it would.”

“Is there anything I can do?” asked Harry, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“No,” sighed Hermione with a rueful smile. “I suppose I shouldn’t even be complaining to you about this...you’ve lost so much more than I have, after all.”

“Hermione,” said Harry, placing his hand on her shoulders and stopping her. “I can’t even imagine what this must be like for you. Yes, I lost people I cared about. But I knew their fate. The uncertainty that comes in this kind of situation...I don’t know what I’d do, but I will do whatever you need me to.”

“Thank you,” said Hermione softly. “You always can make me smile, can’t you?”

“I try,” replied Harry softly as they took their seats on the couch in front of the tree.

“Alright,” said Fleur, holding about a dozen wrapped gifts in her arms, all the same shape and size. “Now, especially with a baby on ze way, I ‘ave decided zat per’aps I should learn to do something much less stressful. Zees ‘ave taken me weeks to get right, but I think zey are okay. One for each of you,” she said, passing out a gift to each person in the room. “Go on, don’t be shy.”

The sound of paper ripping filled the room, followed quickly by a loud ‘ooooh’ from Ginny.

“How did you do this?” asked Ginny incredulously, holding up the a glass container in which a glimmering rose sat peacefully.

“Crystalized flowers,” smiled Fleur proudly. “The process and charms are complex, but what you are looking at is a real flower with thin crystals forming on eet’s surfaces.”

“A sugar solution?” asked Hermione, though Harry noted that her curiosity didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“Yes...” said Fleur slowly. “In an airtight environment, ze flower doesn’t absorb ze sugars as long as I use a preservation charm, so crystals form on ze surface.”

“They’re exquisite,” said Luna with a smile. “It must’ve taken you forever to figure out.”

“Eet was a task I took to with a liking,” smiled Fleur. “I am hoping to make a business out of eet, per’aps.”

“Thank you very much,” said Molly kindly, admiring her purple chrysanthemum. “I’ll go put it up on the shelf next to the boys’ awards.”

“I think I’m going to get some air,” said Hermione softly to Harry.

“Do you want me to come with you?” he asked.

“I think I’ll be alright,” she replied with a kind smile.

“Alright,” said Harry.

“I’ll be back,” said Hermione, rising quietly and departing towards the kitchen and the back door.

Over the next twenty minutes everyone enjoyed opening presents from each other, though Harry’s heart was more concerned about Hermione than his gifts. He was sitting staring off into space when Ron waved his had in front of his eyes.

“Earth to Harry,” he said.

“Sorry, mate,” smiled Harry. “What’s up?”

“I asked you where Hermione is,” said Ron. “I want her to open her present.”

“She went for some air,” said Harry absently. Ron, Luna, Ginny, and Neville each shared a look at this.

“Harry,” said Neville. Harry turned his head and raised an eyebrow. “Might I have a word upstairs?”

“Sure,” nodded Harry, getting up. He followed Neville up to Ron’s room and closed the door, only to find his friend staring at him with his arms crossed.

“Harry, what are you thinking?” asked Neville honestly.

“I’m sorry?” asked Harry confusedly.

“Why are you in here?” he countered.

“Because Hermione wanted to be alone,” replied Harry honestly.

“So you let her be alone,” stated Neville, frowning. “Harry, I don’t know what you or Hermione are going through...I don’t know how your mind works. But I do know that if it was Ginny out there, I would make sure that she knew without a doubt that she was not alone.”

“I –” Harry started to say but Neville raised his hand.

“I don’t know what’s going on between the two of you,” he said. “But Hermione needs to know that there’s still someone who loves her.”

“She knows that we all love her,” replied Harry. “Ron, Luna, you, me, Ginny –”

“I’m not talking about the kind of love that friendship creates,” said Neville. “I’m talking about the kind of love that keeps a person sane. The kind that people live for. The kind that people die for.”

“When did you get so insightful?” asked Harry, echoing the words Hermione had once said to him many months ago.

“When you opened my eyes with Ginny,” replied Neville. “She means everything to me, and she’s the best thing to happen to me. And I think that’s what you are to Hermione and visa-versa.” Neville walked past Harry and opened the door, standing slightly in the hallway. “She needs you, Harry. Show her she’s not alone.” And he walked down the stairs to the laughter of the holiday.

Harry sighed and went over to the window overlooking the yard behind the Burrow. A light snow was falling, and he could barely make out Hermione’s figure sitting hunched up on the stone bench near the garden that they had sat on the day of Bill and Fleur’s wedding.

“I’m an idiot,” said Harry softly, chastising himself. Without wasting any time, he grabbed his cloak and ran down the stairs, not even pausing to let the people in the sitting room know where he was going, and quickly making his way out the back door and into the yard.

Hermione looked up as he approached, putting her chin back on her knees when she saw it was him.

“I didn’t want you to get cold,” said Harry, draping his cloak over her.

“Thank you,” she whispered. After a moment of silence, Harry took a seat next to her.

“Can I ask you something?” he asked. Hermione nodded almost imperceptibly. “Do you feel alone?”

Hermione stiffened slightly at the question, and she turned to look at him.

“It’s hard not to when the only people who have ever told me they’ve loved me have disappeared,” she sighed.

Harry waited a moment then placed his palm on her cheek and stared into her eyes.

“Then I need to remedy that,” he whispered, leaning in and resting his forehead on hers. “Hermione, I love you very much and I hate that you feel you’re alone right now, because I will never, ever, leave you, or stop loving you.”

“Do you mean that?” she asked shakily, silver tears welling in her eyes.

“I’ll show you,” replied Harry.

In the moment his lips touched hers, Harry briefly thought that if there was a heaven, it would have a tough time beating what he was experiencing. Hermione melted into him, tears streaming down her face as he pulled her against his body, laying down on the bench so that she was resting on top of him.

Harry thought he could’ve lain there forever.

He wanted to lie there forever.

No war, no Voldemort.

No horcruxes, no forces of nature.

Just him, Hermione, and their love.

When they finally broke apart an unknown amount of time later, Hermione wiped her tears away and smiled gently at him. Snowflakes had begun to gather in her hair and the way they were sparkling in the moonlight, Harry thought she looked almost angelic.

“If there’s one thing left to say,” he whispered. “It’s that I’m sorry for taking so long.”

“It’s alright,” replied Hermione, burying her face in the crook of his neck. “I would’ve waited forever.”

“Thankfully I’m not that thick,” smiled Harry. Hermione chuckled softly.

“Can I tell you something?” she asked softly.

“Anything,” replied Harry.

“I love you,” she whispered.

“You know,” smiled Harry. “I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy in my life.”

“Really?” asked Hermione

“Really, really,” smiled Harry. “That’s what you do for me.”

“The feeling is mutual,” said Hermione.

“That reminds me,” said Harry, fiddling for the box in his pocket. “I have something for you.”

“What is it?” asked Hermione, looking at him.

“Your Christmas present,” he smiled, handing it to her. Curiously, she took the box and opened it, her mouth falling open slightly when she saw what was inside. “I’m sure you’re familiar with the concept of promise rings?”

“Of course,” she whispered, taking out golden circle with a small, real sapphire set in the middle.

Harry took her hands as she placed the band on her right ring finger.

“I promise to always be there for you,” he whispered. “And I promise to do everything I can to get your parents back.”

“I have something for you too,” said Hermione after a brief pause. “I honestly didn’t think I’d be giving it to you as a Christmas present...but after what you’ve done for me tonight...”

“What is it?” asked Harry curiously.

“This,” replied Hermione, taking out a small package wrapped in plain brown paper from her pocket and handing it to Harry.

Harry unwrapped the paper and found himself with a white cardboard box.

“Open it,” she whispered.

Harry did as he was told and nearly gasped when he saw what was inside.

“Hermione...this...this is –”

“Eternium,” she said as Harry removed a chain with a small, silver-colored, opaque crystal from the box. “The most magical of all metals, and the rarest.”

“Where did you get this?” asked Harry in awe.

“Eternium is man-made,” explained Hermione. “It’s forged with the magic from emotions, which is why it’s so magically rich. I purchased a diamond and some raw silver and ‘mixed’ them together to get that.”

“You made this?” asked Harry, amazed.

“Yeah,” smiled Hermione softly. “I mean, normally you need magical amplifiers, several witches or wizards, and a nice hot forge to make the stuff, but I found a loophole.”

“How?” asked Harry.

“Well you told me, really,” smiled Hermione. “When you said that Dumbledore had told you that love was the strongest force of all.”

“You created this...with love?” asked Harry, half in shock and half in amazement.

“With my love for you,” whispered Hermione, brushing Harry’s bangs out of his eyes softly. “It took me two whole months to do it, every night for a couple of hours in my room, behind closed curtains.”

“Sometime in the future I want you to explain the mechanics behind what you did,” said Harry, placing the pendant around his neck. “But for right now...thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” smiled Hermione. “And I will, it was actually very interesting.”

“So you were planning to give this to me...?”

“When you told me you loved me,” said Hermione. “It’s my promise to you that my heart will be yours forever.”

As she said that, the gem softly glowed a pale gray.

“See,” smiled Hermione. “It’s very receptive.”

“I’m speechless,” said Harry, his mouth still hanging open. “I just...I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything,” whispered Hermione, still smiling. “Just kiss me.”

Harry did as he was told and pressed his lips to hers, once again feeling that wonderful sensation of absolute bliss as he did so.

“You know,” whispered Hermione when they parted a few minutes later. “Despite all that’s happened in the past few days...I think tonight has been the best night of my life.”

“That goes for both of us,” smiled Harry.

“Think we should head inside?” asked Hermione.

“I don’t really want to,” chuckled Harry. “But I guess we should before people come out looking for us.”

“Besides, we still have presents to open,” laughed Hermione as they got up and brushed themselves off.”

“Too right, you are,” grinned Harry, taking her hand and weaving their fingers together. Hermione looked down at their interlaced hands and smiled.

“You might want to tuck that in,” she said, motioning towards the pendant. “It might be a good idea to keep the knowledge that you have that to ourselves until we can tell Ron and the others in a private place.”

“Agreed,” replied Harry, tucking the gem inside his shirt collar.

“Ready?” asked Hermione as they reached the back door.

“I should be asking you that question,” smiled Harry. Hermione laughed softly and opened the door, walking inside the kitchen and into the sitting room.

“There they are!” exclaimed Ron, sitting in front of a pile of chocolate frogs. “Look at this stash! The twins bought out Honeydukes, they did!”

“We figured we owed Ronnikens something for all the misery we’ve put him through over the years,” grinned George. “We also have a pool going with our employees as to how many he can eat in one sitting without vomiting.”

“A pool?” asked Ron. “Cor, I wish I had been in on that.”

“You would’ve bet on your own stomach, Ronald?” asked Luna, with a laugh.

“Darling, in all of life, how many times do you get a shot at a sure thing?” asked Ron, shoving a whole frog into his mouth.

“Well said,” exclaimed Fred, clapping Ron on the back as he started to cough.

“So,” said Neville, walking over to Harry and Hermione with Ginny. “Have you sorted everything out?”

“Of course they have, Nev, look at their hands,” smiled Ginny. Harry and Hermione blushed slightly.

“I owe you one, Neville,” said Harry as he and Hermione sat down on the couch.

“Nah, I just paid you back for helping me with Gin,” smiled the boy. “So long as we’re all happy, no one needs to owe anyone else favors.”

“That’s a good piece of wisdom,” smiled Hermione.

“So what now?” asked Ginny.

“Dessert!” exclaimed Ron as Molly came into the room with over a dozen small plates floating in front of her, each holding a slice of pumpkin pie.

“Maybe we should look into getting him another stomach for next Christmas,” chuckled Harry as Ron made a beeline for his mother.

“Don’t need it, this one never fills up as it is!” called Ron as his mother let one of the plates float into his outstretched hands.

“You know,” sighed Hermione. “I sort of feel guilty.”

“Why?” asked Harry.

“Because my parents are somewhere out there right now probably going through hell...and yet...”

“You’re happy?” he asked.

“I’m with you,” smiled Hermione. “Of course I am.”

“I know the feeling,” sighed Harry. “I felt the same way after Sirius got away on Buckbeak after our third year...knowing he was in hiding and scavenging to survive. But I realised something.”

“What?” asked Hermione.

“The people that we love would want us to be happy, no matter what happens to them,” smiled Harry. “Especially the people you and I look up to. So as long as we do everything we can to get them back, we’re allowed to be happy in the meantime.”

“You always know what to say to make me feel better, don’t you?” asked Hermione softly.

“I try,” chuckled Harry.

“Oy! You two!” called Ron. “If you don’t come and get your pie now I’m going to eat it for you!”

“Don’t you dare touch my pumpkin pie, Ronald,” chastised Hermione, getting up. “It’s my favorite, after all.”

“You know, Harry,” said Remus coming over to him. “After all that’s happened, I find it hard to believe you can be so relaxed, considering how you’ve acted in the past.”

“I guess I’ve had some help growing up,” he smiled, looking over at Hermione, who had just taken a bite of her dessert.

“Haven’t we all,” chuckled Remus.

“Harry!” called Hermione. “I’m not bringing yours over to you! Come here and get it!”

“Coming dear,” grinned Harry, getting up.

Remus smiled broadly at the site of Harry purposely getting whipped cream on Hermione’s nose, followed by her chasing him around the room. Everyone else in the room roared loudly as Ron popped a chocolate frog into his mouth that had a canary cream concealed inside, and promptly burst into bright yellow feathers. Sighing to himself, he went over to where Tonks was laughing hysterically by the tree and sat down next to her.

“Do you ever wonder that maybe we worry too much?” he asked, taking her hand in his.

“It’s hard not to, looking at all of them,” smiled Tonks, watching as Hermione tackled Harry from behind and collapsed to the floor together in fits of laughter. “Makes you feel like it’s all worth while.”

“I’ll tell you,” grinned Remus. “After tonight, I think we’ve got an actual shot of coming out of this war alright.”

“What makes you say that?” asked Tonks.

“Harry,” said Remus, pointing at the teen, who was currently helping pluck feathers off of his best friend. “For the first time I can remember, he’s actually happy.”

“And why does that give us an advantage?”

“Because now he has something to fight for, instead of just being forced to fight,” smiled Remus. “And with that in mind, I’d give our side pretty damn good odds.”

---------------

Yay! It happened! There it is!

This week, my readers, I leave you with this:

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small people who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is nothing.

As a follow up to last week (two weeks ago, w/e) when I said not to dwell in fantasies and forget to live, I give you this, a reminder to strive to make your dreams become your reality.

A quick note, I apologise for the many time gaps (represented by the ===== that I use) in the first half of this chapter. Hopefully you all were able to keep up with them, and enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Until next time!

13. The Last and Most Noble Son of Black

I have reason to celebrate.

Thanks to each and every one of you, I am most pleased to announce that this story has reached the highest review count I’ve ever received, and I am most grateful to each and every one of you for helping me reach that mark. I’m not one to celebrate an obscure number like 368 reviews, however, so if and when this story reaches 500 I’ll make sure to put a few exclamation points in. ::wink::

Thank you, everyone, for your words of encouragement. They mean more to me than you will ever know.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 13: The Last and Most Noble Son of Black

“Now all of you take care of yourselves and don’t go doing anything reckless!” yelled Molly as the train pulled away from the station

“We won’t Mum!” yelled Ron dismissively as they rounded a corner and the platform disappeared from sight. “Little does she know,” he sighed, closing the window and sitting down next to Luna.

“Sometimes I wonder what everyone will say when the truth comes out,” mused Harry chuckling.

“They’ll probably try and award you the Order of Merlin, I reckon,” smiled Neville.

“I’d turn it down,” frowned Harry. “At this point, I don’t want anything the Ministry could give me.”

“I don’t blame you,” said Hermione. “Terrible leadership.”

“You should become Minister, Hermione,” smiled Ginny. “I bet you could do it.”

“Well...I don’t know about that,” said Hermione hesitantly. “Although there’ve been female ministers in the past...the public is generally very biased against them.”

“Doesn’t the Wizemgamot elect the Minister?” asked Luna absently.

“Erm...yes, but I mean –”

“Now darling,” smiled Harry, looking at her. “Think about all the house-elf rights you could establish if you were Minister.”

“Oh, and what would you do?” asked Hermione skeptically. “Ride my coattails of power?”

“I’m sure I could do that without your coattails if I had the desire,” laughed Harry, pinching her sides lightly. “If you were Minister though...I don’t know, maybe I could be an auror then...at least I’d be working for someone competent.”

“Thanks,” laughed Hermione.

The train ride was, for the most part, uneventful. There was some confusion when the trolley lady came along and some of the chocolate frogs Ron had received as his Christmas present started hopping about and got mixed in with the others, but Hermione sorted it all out without much trouble.

The sun was starting to wane, casting a soft glow on the sky. Harry and Hermione were the only ones awake in their compartment, quietly watching the passing countryside while Hermione rested in Harry’s arms.

“There it is again,” sighed Harry as a feeling of foreboding washed over him.

“Hmm?” asked Hermione.

“The last time we were on this train going to Hogwarts, it was right before the Hat sang its song,” said Harry. “I felt like something...big...was going to happen during that train ride. And now I’m getting that feeling again.”

“Harry, I hardly think that you have the Sight, if that’s what you’re getting at,” said Hermione, arching an eyebrow at him.

“I don’t think so either,” he said. “I just get the feeling that we’re on the edge of something really big right now.”

“Well...there is the war and all,” said Hermione. “Maybe it has to do with that.”

“Maybe,” sighed Harry. “Can I tell you something?”

“Anything,” nodded Hermione.

“I’m scared,” said Harry.

“Of?” asked Hermione

“For,” corrected Harry. “I’m scared for your parents.”

“...I know,” sighed Hermione. “I am too.”

“Thankfully they don’t know anything relevant, so he can’t torture them for information...but if Voldemort does have them...”

“He can use them to bargain with if he needs to,” frowned Hermione. “It gives him an advantage, and it could potentially mean they die.”

“You talk about it with such sincerity,” said Harry curiously. “Almost like it doesn’t bother you.”

“It bothers me,” said Hermione very matter-of-factly. “But if they’re not dead, then they have a chance...and when I’m with you it takes my mind off of everything else.”

“I love you,” muttered Harry after a moment, squeezing her tight to him.

“Thank you,” smiled Hermione. “I’ll never get tired of hearing that.”

“And I’ll never get tired of saying it.”

=====

“I would like to speak with the six of you in my office,” said McGonagal as Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville, and Ginny entered the castle.

“Are we in trouble already?” asked Ron lightheartedly.

“Unfortunately this is no laughing matter,” replied the headmistress, walking off without another word.

There was silence among the seven of them until they reached McGonagal’s office, at which point the headmistress sat down behind her desk and sighed heavily.

“You are not going to like what I have to say,” she said bluntly.

“What is it?” asked Ginny.

“This,” replied McGonagal, sliding a envelope forward on her desk. Wordlessly, Harry walked forward and retrieved it.

“Harry?” asked Hermione as he opened the envelope and looked at its contents.

“That bloody son of a bitch...” muttered Harry in anger.

“What is it?” asked Ron.

Harry silently handed them the contents, four photographs depicting the abduction of Hermione’s parents by four death eaters led by Severus Snape.

“Those were taken by a muggle,” said McGonagal, as the teens looked over them. “Fortunately we were able to procure them and relieve the poor man of his memory of the event.”

“I don’t understand this,” said Hermione. “I mean, I thought you said he helped you, Harry.”

“He did,” grunted Harry, now gazing into the fire. “We’d all be in a lot of trouble right now if Voldemort had found out about my knowledge of his horcruxes at the Hollow, but I still can’t forgive him for this.”

“Is there a reason he’s not wearing a mask?” asked Luna.

“What?” asked Harry, turning to her.

“Well, look,” she said, holding one of the photos up. “In all of these pictures, Snape is the only death eater not wearing a mask.”

“Come to think of it,” said Ron. “Has he ever worn one?”

“I don’t believe so,” replied McGonagal. “I believe it is his way of showing the Dark Lord his loyalty.”

“Makes sense,” sighed Harry, sitting down. “So, if I may ask, why was this so urgent?”

“Because Severus only gets involved in really important affairs,” said McGonagal.

“Well, I hardly think that the abduction of Hermione Granger’s parents, the best friend of Harry Potter could be considered trivial,” frowned Hermione.

“I didn’t mean it like that, Miss Granger,” said McGonagal apologetically. “What I meant was, I doubt this was a simple abduction if Snape was involved.”

“Sometimes it just seems like everything keeps piling up,” sighed Harry, sitting down. “This whole stone bracelet thing for starters, then Hermione’s parents go missing, on top of that we still have no idea who the initials R.A.B. belong to –”

“R.A.B.?” interrupted the portrait of Phineas Nigellus. “Why, those are the initials of my great-great-grandson, Regulus Augustus Black.”

Harry slowed turned on the spot and faced the portrait.

“What did you say?” he asked softly.

“I said that the initials R.A.B. are those of my great-great-grandson,” said Phineas, ruffled. “He was such a bright young lad, it really was a pity he got involved in all that death eater business...”

Harry wasn’t paying attention to what Phineas was saying anymore, he was too wrapped up trying to remember what Sirius had told him.

“No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort’s orders, more likely, I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. Well, you don’t just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It’s a lifetime of service or death...”

“My god...” whispered Harry. Quickly, he spun around to face the others. “Do you remember back before fifth year...well fourth year for you, Gin, but do you remember when we were cleaning Sirius’ house?”

“Of course,” shrugged Ron. “Around the time of your famous blow up.”

Harry opened his mouth to speak but halted for a moment and blushed slightly.

“Yeah...around that time,” he muttered. “Anyway...when we were cleaning...do any of you remember finding that bloody heavy locket that none of us could open?”

“Now that you mention it,” said Hermione, looking up. “Yes...I do...but it wasn’t adorned with the great Slytherin ‘S’, or anything of the sort.”

“It’s a start,” said Harry, turning and heading for the door.

“Where do you think you’re going, Mister Potter?” asked McGonagal.

“To see if I can catch the train back home,” he replied.

“I will not have you going alone,” said McGonagal firmly.

“Ron and Hermione will be with me,” Harry pointed out. “No, you three stay here, I won’t have you getting involved in this outside of Hogwarts,” he said, heading off Neville, Luna, and Ginny. “Besides, that house belongs to me. Who else is going to be able to get inside?”

McGonagal pursed her lips in disapproval but nodded slightly.

“I will alert the Order immediately,” she said, frowning. “Hurry, the train is slated to depart in ten minutes.”

“Yes, ma’am,” smiled Harry with enthusiasm he hadn’t felt in a long time.

“So how do we plan on getting there?” asked Hermione once they were safely, albeit breathlessly seated on the train.

“I think the Knight Bus will be able to accommodate,” replied Harry.

“Shortest trip to Hogwarts ever,” laughed Ron dryly. “Do you really think that R.A.B. is Sirius’ brother?”

“It certainly fits,” said Hermione, staring out the window at the blackened sky.

“That it does,” sighed Ron. “Fancy a game of chess, Harry?”

“Why not,” said Harry, watching as Ron pulled a miniature chess set from his robes. “We’ve got a good seven hour trip back to London.

“And we should use it for sleep,” said Hermione pointedly. “Who knows what we might run into while we’re there?”

“True,” said Harry as Ron began setting up the pieces.

“Just one game?” pleaded Ron.

“Oh fine,” chuckled Harry, rolling his eyes. “I don’t know why I bother…it’s not like I’m ever going to win.”

“At least you’re a realist,” smiled Ron.

True to their word, Harry and Ron packed it in after Ron’s checkmate in fourteen moves. Ron took one of the seats in the compartment for himself while Hermione curled up next to Harry on the other one. Not bothering to open his eyes, Harry softly kissed Hermione on the top of her head and draped his arm over her body as they drifted off to sleep.

“How is our progress?” asked a cold voice.

“Not very good, my lord,” came the reply. “For muggles, they have an extremely strong resistance to both the Cruciatus and Imperius.”

“Perhaps you don’t have enough incentive, Rodolphus,” said the voice. “Or enough skill.”

“I beg forgiveness, my lord,” replied the second man in a feeble attempt to hold himself together.

“I suppose,” said the voice. “Very well…I’ll have to do it myself.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“You will be punished for making me exert this effort.”

“Y-yes, my lord.”

“And fetch Bellatrix for me…I seem to have another headache.”

“Of course, my lord.”

“Harry!” exclaimed Ron, startling both him and Hermione.

“Bloody hell, Ron, what is it?” asked Harry, jumping up. His friend had his wand raised and was aiming it right at Harry’s chest.

“I…I don’t know,” said Ron, confused. “A minute ago, there was this silverish glow coming from you…but now it’s gone.”

“Oh. That,” said Hermione, rubbing her eyes as she sat up. “Explain it to him, Harry.”

Harry untucked the pendant from his collar so that Ron could see it.

“It’s Eternium,” explained Harry. “Hermione made it for me.”

Ron stared blankly at the two of them for a minute before chuckling and shaking his head.

“Why am I not surprised?” he asked himself.

“I’m sorry?” asked Hermione.

“Leave it to you to do something that’s supposed to be impossible,” laughed Ron.

“Impossible?” asked Hermione. “No, it’s not impossible, just –”

“Oh come on,” interrupted Ron. “Are you telling me you didn’t do all the research?”

“I did…” said Hermione. “What are you talking about?”

“Maybe you don’t know this because it’s another wizarding story,” said Ron thoughtfully.

“Well do tell,” said Harry. “You’ve certainly piqued my interest.”

“Well, Eternium is man-made, that much you obviously know already,” said Ron. “But what I guess you don’t really know is that it’s not supposed to be able to be created.”

“That can’t be right,” said Hermione. “The books said that dozen of wizards and witched had created it –”

“They probably came close,” interrupted Ron again. “I doubt any of them ever actually did it.”

“Why?” asked Harry and Hermione.

“Because pure, completed Eternium is supposed to hold incomprehensible power,” answered Ron. “And while I’m sure you wouldn’t abuse such a thing, I promise you others would, and we’d know about it.”

“So…what you’re saying…” said Hermione.

“The way the story goes, is that Eternium is pure technology,” said Ron. “It tells you the methods to solving every problem in existence, and holds all the answers to those problems as well.”

“So we could use this to find all the horcruxes and everything?” asked Harry.

“I doubt it,” said Ron. “I was speaking in metaphors.”

“How do you know all of this anyway?” asked Hermione.

“Well, with two brothers like Fred and George, does it really surprise you?” grinned Ron. “I think it was when they were ten…they decided that they were going to make Eternium and rule the world, and like always, they made me do all the grunt work, so I found out a good amount about it.”

“So how do you know if this is pure or not?” asked Hermione, staring at it.

“It glows,” shrugged Ron. “That means it works.”

“So…what kind of potential does this thing have?” asked Harry, looking at the silver gem.

“What kind of potential do you want it to have?” grinned Ron.

“It’s that powerful?” asked Hermione.

“If you made it right, it should be,” said Ron. “How did you do it anyway?”

“Well, like I already told Harry, it’s just silver and diamond,” she replied. “I used Occlumency techniques to focus my emotions and amplify them, then I would draw them from my head like you would draw a thought for a pensieve. Then it was just a matter of weaving the silver and the diamond together with it.”

“What emotions did you focus on?” asked Ron.

“Love,” said Hermione, blushing slightly. “Just love.”

“Makes sense,” shrugged Ron. “It’s the purest and most powerful emotion.”

“So…if I wanted to learn how to create a broom that could fly the speed of light, this could teach me?” asked Harry, still staring at the gem.

“Sure,” shrugged Ron. “If it’s genuine. There’s absolutely no limit to what that could do.”

“Harry,” whispered Hermione. “We could advance civilization by thousands of years in just our lifetimes. Imagine how we could better the world.”

“Yeah,” smiled Harry. “I suppose we could.”

“Looks like we’re almost there,” said Ron, glancing out the window. “We seem to be entering the London area.”

“Alright,” said Harry, tucking the pendant away. “Let’s be ready to move.”

The train came to a halt just under five minutes later and without missing a beat, the three of them sprinted off the train, through the deserted station and out onto the street, where Hermione promptly summoned the Knight Bus.

“Welcome to the Knight Bus,” a stocky, surly man said in a monotone. “My name is Christopher Jacobs and I’ll be your conductor for this even – good lord, are you Harry Potter?”

“Yeah,” said Harry. “And it’s an emergency, we need to go to Grimmauld Place immediately.”

“Any particular address?” asked the man.

“Just Grimmauld Place,” repeated Harry.

“Grimmauld Place, Ernie!” shouted the man. “And step on it!”

“I think I’m going to be sick,” said Hermione as the bus took off. Harry privately agreed…it was traveling at least three times as fast as it normally did. He was most grateful that they were the only passengers on board, save for a sleeping man in a hooded cloak down the far end of the bus.

“Right then, here we are,” said the man as the bus slammed to a halt. “No charge for you three, if it’s an emergency after all.”

“Thanks,” said Harry, wobbling off the bus. Ron and Hermione followed, and the triple decker sped off into the night a moment later.

“I think I’ll take quidditch over that any day,” said Hermione, leaning against Harry for support.

“Agreed,” said Ron and Harry at the same time. “Wands out, let’s get moving.”

The three of them moved down the street quietly towards Number 12, which ominously stood looming over the other houses on the street. Quickly, they moved up to the door and stopped on the step.

“Erm…is it unlocked?” asked Ron.

“Let’s find out,” said Harry, grabbing the doorknob.

“Who goes there?” a voice in Harry’s head asked.

“Uh…Harry Potter,” he replied.

“Welcome home, Master Potter,” the voice said, and the door swung open.

“Um…thanks,” said Harry as he walked inside, followed Ron and Hermione.

“So where should we start looking?” asked Ron softly as the door closed behind them.

“I think we stored all that stuff in the attic,” said Hermione. “So we should probably start there.”

“Good idea,” said Harry, and they walked off towards the stairs.

Five minutes, three flights of stairs and a ladder later, the three of them found themselves in the dust covered attic of the house.

“Blimey,” said Ron, holding his lit wand in front of him. “You breathe and dust flies everywhere.”

“Let’s just start looking around,” said Harry. “I see some of the bags we used over there.”

“Cor, these are disgusting,” said Ron, tentatively opening one of the sacks.

“Just dump the stuff out,” said Hermione. “We’ll be able to find it faster that way.”

“Let’s see what we’ve got here,” muttered Ron as emptied the contents onto the floor. “Looks like just a bunch of cookery and silverware.”

“Let’s try the next one,” said Harry, grabbing another bag.

Ten minutes later the attic was strewn with goblets, jewelry, pots and pans, china, silverware and various other things, but no locket.

“Only one left,” said Ron, staring at the last sack in the corner of the room.

“Let’s hope we have some luck this time,” said Hermione as the boys dumped the contents.

“Some rings…a music box…hey,” said Harry, finding the heavy silver locket and picking it up. “It’s definitely not Slytherin’s.”

“Let’s try and open it anyway,” said Hermione, pointing her wand at it. “Alohomora.”

The latch sprung open and Harry could see a tightly stuffed note inside of it.

“Why didn’t we try that last time?” asked Ron as Harry pulled the paper out and unfolded it.

“We couldn’t use magic last time,” pointed out Hermione.

“I’m really frustrated but somehow not surprised,” sighed Harry, having read the note.

“What’s it say?” asked Hermione. Harry handed it to her and she read it, Ron observing over her shoulder.

To the Dark Lord,
It seems you're more imaginative than I believed. I couldn’t find a way to destroy the Horcrux, but I will not let it return to your hands. I will personally make sure Dumbledore hears of this and I’m confident he will find a way to stop you. May your demise come swift an

There was a scribble where the ‘d’ should’ve been, but nothing else.

“It just stops there?” asked Ron, amazed.

“He probably was attacked while writing it,” said Hermione. “But…this doesn’t tell us where to find it.”

“Voldemort could have it with him for all we know,” said Ron.

“No…” said Harry. “He wouldn’t. Think about all the precautions he took in the cave to protect it…he wouldn’t carry another horcrux on his person, he already was wearing the sapphire bracelet.”

“So what do you think?” asked Hermione.

“I think we should find out where Regulus is buried,” said Harry. “And see if we can’t figure out anything from there.”

“It’s worth a shot,” said Ron.

“We’ll have to ask the Order where the Black family burial grounds are,” said Hermione. “Hopefully they’ll be able to tell –”

A crash from downstairs silenced the three of them.

“What the hell was that?” whispered Ron, drawing his wand as Harry and Hermione did the same.

“Let’s start moving out of here,” said Harry softly. “Quickly and quietly.”

The three of them made their way down the ladder to the hall below and pressed themselves against the wall.

“I hear footsteps,” said Hermione. Indeed, it sounded as if several people were quietly making their way up the stairs.

“Stunners,” whispered Harry. “As soon as you see them.”

Ron and Hermione nodded and got into positions for clear shots.

The intruders reached the landing and began walking towards where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were waiting. Harry guessed they were about ten feet away from turning the corner…five…two…

“STUPEFY!” the three of them bellowed as the person rounded the corner.

“Shite!” yelled Ron as curses started flying at them.

“Oooooohhh Potttterrr!” cat-called a familiar female voice. “How mean of you to stun my husband like that!”

“Bellatrix,” spat Harry. “To what do I owe the pleasure? And how did you get in here?”

“You cornered yourself, wee Potter,” she called as more curses flew at them. “And you’ll find that although the secret dies with the secret-keeper, the Fidellius Charm is quite easy to remove as a whole when the person who cast it passes away.”

“Damnit,” muttered Hermione. “We’re trapped.”

“So you’re here as Voldemort’s lapdog?” called Harry.

“Do not speak his name!” yelled Bellatrix, sending a killing curse at Harry, which he dodged.

“Make me,” taunted Harry.

“What’re you doing?” hissed Ron. “Trying to get her to kill us?”

“He’s trying to get her to make a mistake,” shushed Hermione.

“I would very much like to do so,” said Bellatrix. “But I think I’ll wait for others to show up first.”

“Oooh, scared Bella?” laughed Harry. “At least you know your limits.”

“How dare you,” spat the death eater, as they exchanged more spells. “My knowledge of magic on a whole is far greater than yours!”

‘Use me.’

“I’m sorry?” asked Harry to no one in particular.

‘Use me.’

It was a feminine voice, and it seemed to be coming from Harry’s chest. He looked down and saw the Eternium glowing softly. Nodding, he clutched it in his hand.

There were no instructions issued to him like there were with the bracelet. Harry smiled to himself as he let the waves of magic wash over him like a warm shower.

‘Go.’

A tremendous surge of power burst forth from his body and decimated the hall. The carpet was shredded, the paint was peeled off the walls, and Bellatrix was thrown backwards from her spot, and slammed into the wall behind her, a sickening crunch heard as she did so.

“Oh my,” said Hermione, standing up. “Harry…was that…was that the…”

“Yeah,” said Harry, hurrying over to Bellatrix’s unconscious body. “It was.”

“Holy hell, mate,” said Ron, coming over. “That was something tremendous right there.”

Harry could only nod as he conjured ropes and bound Bellatrix and Rodolphus. He turned around to speak to Ron and Hermione but there were sudden footsteps and the three of the whirled around to find themselves face to face with Remus and Tonks.

“Well…I can see we’re not needed,” said Tonks with a smile. “Wotcher.”

“You could’ve showed up a few minutes earlier,” smiled Harry, shaking Remus’ hand. “McGonagal informed you then?”

“Yeah,” replied Remus, looking down at the bodies of the death eaters. “It’s not good how they can infiltrate this place now…I wonder who tipped them off?”

“It doesn’t matter now,” said Harry. “We didn’t find much of anything anyway.”

“What did you find?” asked Tonks. Harry handed her the note and she sighed after reading it.

“That was about my reaction too,” smirked Harry. “We’re thinking of going to Regulus’ grave to see if we can find out anything.”

“Might be a good idea,” said Remus. “We’ll take you there. It’s about ten kilometers from here, so we should probably fly if you’ve brought brooms.”

Harry’s mind went to his Firebolt which was carefully packed away with his school belongings, which were more that likely residing comfortably in his room at Hogwarts.

“Cant we apparate?” asked Hermione.

“No can do,” shrugged Remus. “The Blacks were always very protective of this area. The burial grounds are protected with many charms, including anti-apparition, and we sort of...well, put one up ourselves when we got here so no one could follow us.”

“Ah,” said Ron.

“No brooms, eh?” smiled Tonks, reading teens’ expressions. “Walking it is then.”

---------------

I apologize for the short chapter...life kicked me in the nuts these past two weeks and I didn’t really have time to make it longer.

For my wisdom this time, ladies and gentlemen, I give you a quote that taught me so very much about life.

If you put 100 men in a room, you will find yourself with 100 different ways to love.

This wisdom is easily read, but it is not easy to accept and come to terms with. For some of my younger readers out there, I urge that you discover your own way to love, instead of listening to what other people say love is (and I happen to know a few people personally whose parents have taken a keen interest in trying to define that ever-elusive term for their children).

Until next time!

14. Round Two

You know, surprisingly enough, I don’t really have anything to say this time around, aside from the fact that I feel this might be the halfway mark. Enjoy!

ETA: Ok, so I do. I thought this chapter was going to be longer, but it ended up being much less material than I thought it would. Sorry about the length, you have my word that next week’s (two weeks, w.e) will be longer.

---------------

Chapter 14: Round Two

“Is it really necessary to go through the woods when we’re disillusioned?” asked Ron as he struggled to get over a bush.

“Of course it is,” said Remus, walking ahead of them. “I’m sure that by now Voldemort knows we captured Bella and her husband, so he’s probably sent people to find you.”

“Who picked them up anyway?” asked Harry.

“I think it was Moody,” replied Tonks, grunting as she tripped over a tree root protruding from the earth.

“Merlin knows he’ll give us hell for making him walk a mile and a half through the anti-apparition field,” chuckled Remus. “We’re almost at the graveyard.”

“Good,” said Ron. “I’m sick of stumbling through all this shrubbery.”

“I think you mean undergrowth,” smiled Hermione.

“Yes, ma’am,” grumbled Ron as the trees ended, a large iron fence surrounding a vast graveyard now clearly in view.

“We should probably go around to the front,” said Lupin. “There are probably security wards to prevent people from entering any other way.”

The five of them walked around the perimeter of the fence until they found themselves standing in front of a large gateway, the doors rusted open. The most distinct feature, however, was two iron snakes coiled around the respective sides of the arch, each with glinting emeralds for eyes.

“What are we waiting for?” asked Ron stepping forward. “Let’s shove off then.”

“Wait,” hissed Lupin, grabbing Ron’s collar and pulling him back. “Watch.”

Slowly, Lupin bent down and picked a stone up off the ground. After tossing it to himself a few times, he wound up and pitched the rock at the open archway.

As the stone passed through the threshold, the eyes of each of the snakes came to life and fired bolts of green magic at the stone, which disintegrated instantly.

“Whoa,” breathed Ron, stepping back.

“How did you know?” asked Hermione.

“The Blacks were a greedy family,” said Lupin. “Aside from the fact that they would have wanted to keep their burial grounds safe from intruders, no one would never have left four emeralds just sitting in the arch like that for no reason.”

“So how do we get through?” asked Ron.

“Well,” said Tonks. “There’s got to be a way in somehow.”

“Dumbledore once told me that magic always leaves traces,” said Harry softly. “Do you know how to look for something like that?”

“Traces of magic?” asked Hermione. “Like residue?”

“I think more like footprints in sand or snow,” said Harry. “But I would have no idea how to find something like that.”

“Dumbledore was very powerful,” said Lupin. “It would take a very powerful wizard to be able to feel the flow of magic in the air and determine where it was used.”

“The flow?” asked Ron.

“Sure,” said Tonks. “Magic, like anything else in this world, has energy to it. Some of our kind can feel places where the energy is greater, like where charms have been put up and such.”

Harry walked slowly towards the sides of the arch, looking up at it as he did so.

‘Waves of energy,’ he thought to himself. ‘How can I find them?’

In answer, the pendant around his neck glowed softly, bringing a warmth and comfort to Harry’s mind. Slowly, he closed his eyes.

As he did so, it was as if he could suddenly feel the presence of the vast untamed energy in the air. He felt as if he could raise his hand and bend the energy to his will, forcing it to do whatever he wanted.

But as suddenly as the feeling came, it stopped, and he opened his eyes to see the other four staring at him intently.

“Er, right,” said Harry sheepishly. “Let’s see about this then.”

Kneeling down beside the arch, he placed his hand at the base of the metal and ran it slowly up the side until he felt something strange about waist high.

“What is it?” asked Hermione, coming over him.

“I don’t know,” said Harry, peering at the spot where his hand had stopped. “I can feel something strange...something familiar.”

“Do you remember where you might’ve felt it before?” asked Remus.

Harry thought for a while and then suddenly it dawned on him.

“Yes,” he said, transfiguring a rock on the ground into a knife. “Yes I do.”

Before anyone could speak, Harry had made a quick, but small cut along the palm of his hand, which he then placed on the cold metal. The emeralds in the eyes of the snakes shone brightly in the moonlight for a moment, then faded away.

“Do you think it’s safe?” asked Ron, peering up at the snakes tentatively.

“Let’s find out,” said Lupin, picking up another stone.

This time, it flew right through the arch and landed with a dull thud on the ground beyond it.

“Well done, Harry,” smiled Tonks. “How’d you figure it out?”

“I think there’s going to be much more to this graveyard than meets the eye,” he replied. The other four turned and looked at him. “That was how I got into the cave with Dumbledore.”

“You mean...the cave where the locket was supposed to be?” asked Ron.

“Yeah,” frowned Harry, looking at the eerily silent graveyard. “With the lake full of inferi.”

“You think that Voldemort might have a hand in this?” asked Hermione.

“I wouldn’t put it past him,” said Harry.

“Will they attack us?” asked Ron.

“I don’t think so,” said Harry. “Not yet, anyway.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Tonks, her wand out.

Harry’s mind flitted back to the scene in the cave with him and Dumbledore those many months ago, and he couldn’t help but feel a little unnerved at the similarities that were taking place.

“Because Voldemort would have wanted to reach his horcrux without being attacked,” replied Harry.

“You think...you think the locket is in there?” asked Hermione.

“It would make perfect sense,” said Harry. “Think about it. Regulus found out about the horcruxes and stole the locket. Voldemort found out about it and killed him, but now he needed a new place to hide the locket, since the old one had been compromised. Why not bury it alongside an army of ready-to-go inferi, in the absolute last place anyone would look, with the body of the one who betrayed him in the first place?”

“It’s plausible enough,” said Tonks. “But we don’t even know if that’s true. It could just be a coincidence.”

“I suppose,” sighed Harry, as they each walked through the gate carefully. “But from what I’ve seen, there really isn’t such a thing.”

The moment they all passed through the arch, the emeralds in the eyes of the snakes turned back to a bright green.

“Alright,” said Ron. “Now what?”

“If I’m right about all of this,” said Harry. “I doubt we’ll be able to continue on straight forward.”

“And if you’re wrong?” asked Hermione.

“Then I’m wrong,” shrugged Harry. “Still, let’s be careful.”

Harry took a step forward and looked around to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. Satisfied for the moment, he made to take another step but found himself barred from proceeding by an invisible barrier.

“What is it?” asked Ron, coming up to him.

“It’s an invisible wall,” said Harry, placing his hands flat on the air. “See for yourself.”

Ron and Hermione moved forward and reached out to touch the air, and just like Harry met an impenetrable barrier.

“Let me try some spells,” said Lupin, stepping forward. Harry didn’t pay attention to what his former teacher was muttering, he was too busy running his hands along the barrier, looking for an open spot.

“Here,” said Harry, finding a gap to their left. “It corners around to the left...”

“What?” asked Tonks.

“I get it,” frowned Harry, stepping back to survey the land. “It’s a maze.”

“A what?” asked Hermione.

“We don’t even know where in here Regulus’ grave is,” complained Ron. “How the hell are we supposed to find it if we can’t move freely?”

“It makes sense,” sighed Lupin. “The walls can’t be changed in any way, and if we get too close to a wrong grave we’re sure to be attacked. Voldemort would, of course, have memorised the way so he wouldn’t have to worry about anything.”

“Exactly,” said Harry.

“So what now?” asked Tonks.

“Now,” said Harry, drawing his wand. “We find out which grave is Regulus’.”

“And how do we do that?” asked Hermione.

“Like this. Accio Horcrux!”

There was a loud thud from somewhere ahead of them, and a mound of earth rose slightly before returning to its normal surface.

“Looks like we’re in business,” smiled Harry. “Let’s go.”

“I’ll go first,” said Lupin, stepping forward.

Over the next ten minutes, the group spent their way treading carefully through the transparent maze, until finally they reached their destination.

“You know,” said Ron as Harry bent down to investigate the grave, “why is it that no one’s noticed this place before? I mean, couldn’t a muggle just walk up and get vaporized by those snakes?”

“There are probably anti-muggle charms around here,” said Tonks. “And most wizards not careless enough to try and trespass on one of the original families’ grounds.”

“So what do you make of this?” asked Harry pointing at the headstone.

Regulus Augustus Black
1961-1979
The Last and Most Noble Son

Underneath the inscription, at the very bottom of the stone near the ground, was another small inscription that looked as if it had been scratched on with a rock.

The secret lies within.

“Well...does that mean the horcrux is buried with him?” asked Ron.

“I think so,” said Harry. “But that’s not what it really means.”

“It’s a clue,” nodded Hermione.

“Why on earth would Voldemort give someone clues to getting his horcrux?” asked Tonks.

“It’s a test,” said Harry. “More than likely when we solve it, we’ll gain access to the horcrux, but something will happen to incapacitate us in some way.”

“So how would Voldemort get it?” asked Ron.

“Probably some secret way that only he knows about,” sighed Lupin.

“Couldn’t we just try digging it up?” asked Harry.

“Worth a shot,” said Tonks, aiming her wand at the grave. “Portium.”

The soil flew from the earth and off into the distance, but was instantly replaced with more of it’s kind.

“Some kind of replenishing spell,” she sighed. “No good.”

“Looks like we’ll have to solve this,” grumbled Ron.

“So where to start,” said Hermione, sitting down. “The secret lies within...within what?”

“The grave?” asked Remus.

“No,” said Harry. “Ourselves?”

“I doubt it,” pondered Hermione. “What secret?”

“The horcrux?” suggested Ron.

“Probably the way to get to the horcrux,” said Tonks. “Like a password or something.”

“Bloody riddles,” grumbled Ron. “Hate ‘em to death.”

“What did you say?” asked Harry, turning around slowly.”

“Riddles,” repeated Ron, raising an eyebrow. “I hate them.”

“That’s it,” said Harry, standing up, and motioning for Hermione to do the same.

“What are you on about?” asked Tonks.

“The secret lies within,” said Harry. “Within the words themselves...it was a riddle, and you just know Voldemort is conceited enough to use his own name as the answer.” Smiling he pointed his wand at the grave. “Ready?”

“Whenever you are,” replied Remus, standing with the other three, all with their wands drawn.

Harry took a deep breath and pointed his wand at the grave.

“Riddle,” he said clearly to the headstone.

The ground began to rumble and the dirt in front of them began to rise as if something from underneath was pushing it up. A minute later a coffin appeared, the wood warped and deteriorated from decades underground.

“Nothing out of the ordinary?” asked Tonks, looking around.

“Don’t let it fool you,” said Harry. “We might be safe for now, but something else could be the trigger...opening the coffin perhaps.”

“Let me check it,” said Hermione, stepping forward. After a series of complicated swishes, flicks, and muttered words, she pronounced it safe.

“Who wants to open it, then?” asked Ron appraisingly.

“I will,” said Harry, undoing the rusted latches. “Ready then?”

The other four nodded and with one quick motion Harry swung the lid open.

The thick stench of decaying flesh immediately permeated the air, causing the five of the to step back and cough violently for a minute.

“Cor, that is ripe,” said Ron, disgusted.

“Any luck?” asked Hermione, her face turned away.

Harry covered his mouth with his hand and ventured a look inside the wooden box.

A maggot-infested body was lying within, the clothes chewed up and torn, and around what was left of the neck, a golden locket with the letter ‘S’ lay glimmering peaceful on the decaying corpse.

“Bingo,” said Harry. “What do you think? Should I take it?”

“No,” said Hermione, trying not to open her mouth and let the smell in. “It’s an inferi...it would’ve decayed to just a skeleton by now if it wasn’t.”

“I’m too dizzy from the stench to think of any reasonable solution,” said Ron. “Just grab it, Harry.”

“I promise you it won’t be that easy,” said Hermione. “And the stench will be the least of your worries if the rest of this place is festering with inferi too.”

“So what now?” asked Tonks.

“Summoning Charm?” asked Lupin.

“Might not be any better than just taking it,” said Harry.

“We can’t sit around here debating this forever,” groaned Ron. “At least I hope we can’t.”

“Summon it,” said Hermione. “But we all need to be ready.”

“Agreed,” replied Harry, raising his wand. “On three. One...two...Accio Horcrux!”

The locket detached itself gracefully from body of Regulus and flew into Harry’s open hand. Everyone tensed for the brief instant the gold touched his skin, but then relaxed when nothing happened.

“See?” asked Ron. “No harm at all.”

“I’m surprised,” said Harry, looking at the locket. “I mean, it makes almost no sense – GAH!”

The body of Regulus had just reached up and seized him by the arm, and was attempting to get out of the coffin.

“Relashio!” cried Hermione, causing the corpse to recoil for just enough time to allow Tonks and Remus to get off an excellent pair of Repelling Charms.

“We have a problem,” said Harry, looking around as mounds of earth began to rise all around them.

“Shite,” said Ron. “How’s that saying go? Never count your chickens before they’re hatched?”

“Excellent Ronald,” grumbled Hermione as several inferi burst from the ground near them. “You get an O for Muggle Studies.”

“I think the maze is down,” called Remus. “Either that or they’re walking right through it.”

“Hermione, do you know any spells that can create a portable wall of fire?” asked Harry quickly.

“Er...I don’t know,” she replied as one of the inferi got too close to Tonks and she blasted it backwards. “There’s one...but I’ve never practiced it and probably can’t get it right –”

“Can you please give it a try, woman!” yelled Ron as the corpses began to form a tight ring around the group.

“Demos Infernus!” cried Hermione, raising her wand above her head and bringing it vertically down towards the ground. A thin red line appeared in the air as if her wand had drawn it, and seconds later spread out into a thin square of flame about ten feet wide. “It should be thicker,” sighed Hermione.

“We’ll worry about that later,” said Harry, nudging her forward. “Let’s get the bollocks out of here.”

Led by Hermione’s shield, the five of the barreled through the mass of undead until they finally reached the fence.

“We’re jumping it!” called Lupin.

“Are you mad?” bellowed Ron, turning as the wave of corpses closed in on them.

“Ascendio!” bellowed Lupin, causing all five of them to soar into the air and land very unceremoniously in a heap on the other side.

“What now?” asked Harry as the mass of pale bodies began reaching through the bars, trying to claw at them.

“You three run,” said Tonks. “We’ll stay here until backup arrives.”

“Like hell,” said Harry. “We’re staying too.”

“You’re too valuable!” yelled Remus. “We’ll be fine until the Order can get here.”

“But –”

“GO!” bellowed Remus. Harry let out a frustrated growl and took off into the woods, Ron and Hermione hot on his tail.

=====

“Wait...” huffed Ron, some time later. “Let’s take a breather, come on.”

“Out of shape much?” asked Hermione, raising her eyebrows.

“Sod off,” replied Ron. “And since when could you run?” Hermione shrugged.

“Using a hovering charm really takes the edge off,” she said.

“You tell me that now,” wheezed Ron, sitting down.

“I’ve seen this place before,” said Harry, looking around.

“Huh?” asked Ron.

They had long since reached the end of the woods and were now standing on a run down muggle block, the pale orange light of the street lamps casting an eerie glow over the lane.

“You know...you’re right,” said Hermione, coming up beside him. “I have been here before.”

“Blimey mate,” said Ron, causing Harry and Hermione turn and face him. “Look at the bracelet.”

Harry looked down at his wrist where the bracelet still hung securely, and was astonished to see the three runes to the left of the ones that were diamond glowing blood red.

“What the...?” muttered Harry, looking around. “I know I’ve been here before...but for the life of me I can’t remember where here is.”

“Despair...” mumbled Hermione. Harry looked at her.

“Bloody hell,” he whispered, turning around to scan the street as the realization hit him. Finally seeing what he was looking for, Harry sprinted off, Hermione close behind him and Ron shouting all the while for them to slow up.

“A telephone box?” asked Ron as he caught up with Harry and Hermione, who were standing in front of a very beaten-down and very familiar phone booth.

“I never thought it would be here,” frowned Harry, looking at the bracelet, which was glowing brighter.

“Wait...I recognise this box,” said Ron, looking at it carefully. Suddenly his eyes widened, and his jaw went slack.

“The Ministry of Magic,” said Hermione, looking at it.

“And I’ll bet you any money that our destination is the Death Room,” added Harry, opening the door and stepping inside the phone booth.

Once everyone was inside Harry dialed 6-2-4-4-2 and the familiar voice was heard.

“Name and purpose of visit?”

“Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ronald Weasley, on official business of the Ministry,” said Harry. Three badges immediately dispensed themselves.

“You don’t think they’re just going to let us waltz in there, do you?” asked Hermione as the lift began to descend.

“Not in the slightest,” said Harry. “Which is why you, Ronald, are going to create a nice little distraction for us.”

“What?” asked Ron. “Why me?”

“Because it’s in your blood,” smiled Harry.

“Fair point, but what am I supposed to use?” asked Ron.

“These,” replied Harry, handing him a pair of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes flash bombs. “I always carry around a couple for precautionary measure.”

“How very convenient,” muttered Ron, taking them.

They reached the atrium and the door opened, letting them out. Thankfully, the area was empty due to the time of night, and the guard on duty wasn’t paying enough attention to notice them.

“Alright,” said Harry, as he, Hermione, and Ron hid behind the fountain. “Go set those off, just give us enough time to get on the lift.”

“Sure thing, boss,” sighed Ron. “The things I get myself into...”

Harry smiled as Ron ran off in one direction, waved his arms madly in the air to get the attention of the guard, and promptly set off one of the bombs.

“Brilliant,” grinned Harry as the man took off after Ron who dodged into the offices. “Let’s go.”

Harry and Hermione quickly made their way to the lift, and the moment the door pinged open at the Department of Mysteries, they sprinted down the long corridor that had once haunted Harry’s dreams to find themselves in the familiar circular room lit by blue flames.

“Well here we go,” said Hermione, as the door behind them closed and the walls began to rotate, just as they once had. A minute later they came to a stop, and Harry smiled softly at Hermione.

“I never thought I’d be back here, you know,” he whispered, looking at her.

“I never thought I’d actually be with you,” she countered. “Let’s get it over with.” Harry nodded.

“Show me where death lives,” he spoke loud and clear to the room. The door to their immediate right swung open, and taking Hermione’s hand tightly in his, they both stepped forward out of the chamber of blue fire.

---------------

I was having trouble finding a good piece of wisdom for this week, so I decided to revisit some of my earlier works to see if I could come up with anything, and as it so happens, I did manage to find a good piece of wisdom in my EASILY most hated fic among all of my readers out there.

Nothing is just, we simply have to battle on, enduring the never-ending struggle of life so that one day, when our children’s children’s children walk this earth, they can look around and see that there is no unfairness, that there is no cruelty. So that they can see a world without race, without color, without prejudice. So that they can look up to us, or their parents, or their grandparents and say, “I really like this place.”

And we can smile back at them and say, “Well, we did our best.”

Recently I’ve been reminded how very tough life is. It’s during these times that I think of the people I love the most, and remember that I’m living for them, for the future, not for myself. Hell, I write to give all you loyal H/Hr shippers a reprieve from the harsh reality that’s canon. I think it’s very important that when the world is dark and the misery is overbearing, that we all remember that it’s not what we strive to do, but who we strive to do it for.

Until next week!

15. Reunion and Loss

Hello and welcome back!

I guess I chose the worst possible time to upload two Fridays ago...right as the servers were switching. Hindsight is 20/20, oh well lol.

Nothing else to say, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 15: Reunion and Loss

“It seems like it happened only yesterday,” sighed Hermione, looking ahead.

They were standing, once again, on the topmost tier of the stone benches that surrounded the dais on which the Veil resided.

“It feels like it happened only yesterday,” said Harry weakly, his eyes starting to burn with memories of his godfather.

“Let’s not linger here,” said Hermione, taking Harry’s arm. “I’m sure Sirius wouldn’t want you to get depressed over him.”

“You’re right,” nodded Harry, taking a steadying breath. “Let’s go.”

Slowly, they descended down into the pit, Harry’s eyes never leaving the spot where he had last seen Sirius.

They reached the dais and, just as before, Harry could hear the voices of the dead just beyond the curtain.

“There,” whispered Hermione, pointing at a circular hole in the base of the dais.

“Right,” said Harry, stepping forward, taking the ruby that he had received in the Hall of Reflection from his pocket

The voices were growing louder, but he pushed forward, kneeling in front of the great stone pedestal. Quickly, he plunged his hand, holding the ruby, into the hole.

A rush of images instantly flooded his mind. Images of the past...

“Take me, please, spare Harry...”

“Stand aside, foolish woman!”

More...

“Come on you can do better than that!” roared Sirius in laughter.

The second jet of light hit him square in the chest.

Images of the present...

“Seize them!” bellowed Snape, as Dennis and Marilyn Granger scrambled over the fence in their backyard, narrowly avoiding the stunners being sent at them.

“Come on Mary!” urged Dennis, trying to help her along.

“They got my leg,” cried Marilyn, her right leg bent in an unnatural way.

“Come on, we have to get out of here – ”

“That is quite enough,” said Snape, appearing in front of them. “Stupefy.”

Images of the future...

“See Potter?!” cackled Voldemort as he held his wand high above his head, controlling the limp form of Hermione like a marionette.

“Hermione!” bellowed Harry, his arms pinned behind his back by Goyle Senior.

“You can’t do anything to save her now, Potter,” grinned Voldemort. “You will watch her die.”

Harry looked on helplessly as Hermione’s eyes met his for the briefest of moments, all the love and regret in the world held in them. Her body went rigid, her mouth open in a silent scream as Voldemort ripped her apart from the inside. Blood streamed from the corners of Hermione’s mouth as the light left her eyes.

“NO!” screamed Harry, tears of horror streaming down his face.

‘Despair...’ echoed a voice that didn’t belong to the bracelet on Harry’s wrist.

“What do you want?” sobbed Harry, his breathing erratic.

‘Nothing you haven’t already given me,’ cackled the voice.

“What are you talking about?” asked Harry.

There was no response. Looking down, Harry saw the spots on the stone dais where his tears had fallen. Trying to subdue the burning in his eyes, he withdrew his hand from the hole. He was now gripping a shimmering sapphire instead of the ruby, and the three runes to the left of the diamond ones were now a bright red.

“Oh god...” whimpered Harry, collapsing to the ground.

“Harry!” exclaimed Hermione, running over to his aid. “Are you alright?”

“I’m sorry,” he cried into her shoulder. “I’m so sorry.”

“Harry,” whispered Hermione comfortingly. “What is it?”

“He killed you,” replied Harry, holding on to her tightly. “And I couldn’t stop him.”

“You saw Voldemort kill me?” she asked softly. Harry nodded. “Harry...look at me.”

Harry looked up into her eyes and relaxed as Hermione leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips.

“I’m with you,” she whispered when she pulled away. “And I always will be, no matter what happens.”

“I love you,” said Harry, resting his forehead on hers.

“I love you too,” smiled Hermione.

‘Never a challenge for you, Harry Potter.’

“The bracelet,” said Harry, looking down at it.

‘Curious as to where you need to go next?’

“I suppose,” sighed Harry.

‘You’ll find your next step in a building like Pandora’s Box.’

“What is that supposed to mean?” asked Harry. “Honestly, couldn’t you just tell me straight up where to go?”

‘It’d be a bit tough, seeing how I don’t know,’ remarked the bracelet. ‘I’ve only been told the clues.’

“Alright,” sighed Harry, and he felt the bracelet’s presence leave him.

“What was that about?” asked Hermione.

“Something about Pandora’s Box,” said Harry, shaking his head. “Let’s get out of here, I’m sure Ron’s being chased around the Ministry as we speak.”

They rose to their feet and began to walk away from the dais when one of the voices of the dead spoke clearly.

“Harry...”

Harry spun around and whipped out his wand, aiming it at the veil.

“What is it?” asked Hermione, visibly startled. “Harry?”

Not answering her, he inched forward until he was almost standing on the dais.

“Sirius?” he asked hesitantly, looking down at the hole where despair was lurking.

“Harry, my boy, look at you,” Sirius’ voice echoed in Harry’s head. He drew in a sharp breath and looked up at the curtain, expecting to see his godfather, but the veil fluttering slightly was all that met his gaze.

“Are you alright?” asked Harry softly.

“Much better now that I know you are,” replied the voice with a hint of mirth. “The only thing I’ve regretted about dying so far is that I never knew how you ended up that night a year and a half ago.”

“Why can’t I see you?” asked Harry, straining, hoping for some sort of glimpse.

“No one can see through death, laddie,” chuckled Sirius. “I can’t see you either.”

“Can you find a way back?” asked Harry hopefully.

“Death is a one-way trip,” replied Sirius. “The veil doesn’t go both ways, I’m afraid.”

“Then how is it I can talk to you?” said Harry.

“Well, I don’t know the mechanics of the thing, but the veil is a portal that facilitates the transition between life and death...I guess sound must be able to pass both ways.”

“Harry?” asked Hermione softly.

“Can she hear us?” asked Harry.

“Now she can,” replied Sirius. Hermione’s eyes widened and her hands flew to her mouth. “Sorry about that, couldn’t tell you were there Hermione.”

“S-Sirius?” she asked, bringing a hand to her mouth in shock.

“What’s left of me anyway,” he laughed.

“How?” asked Hermione.

“The world works in mysterious ways,” said Sirius. “You are in the Department of Mysteries, after all.”

“So what...what’s it like?” asked Harry.

“Death?” asked Sirius. “Peaceful...not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially when you get to see all your old friends again.”

“Friends?” asked Harry. “Sirius...are...are my parents there?”

“Hello, son.”

“Dad?” asked Harry breathlessly.

“It’s so wonderful to hear your voice,” replied James Potter. “Your mother and I are so happy to be able to talk to you, if only for a little while.

“Is she there too?”

“I am,” said the voice of Lily Potter. “I’m glad to know you’re well, Harry.”

“Y-yeah...” said Harry, too stunned to speak. “Oh um...Mum, Dad, this is Hermione, my future wife.”

“Harry,” whispered Hermione blushing.

“It’s lovely to finally meet you, dear,” said Lily. “Sirius has told us so much about you.”

“He talks about me?” asked Hermione, her interest piqued.

“Well, it was always obvious to him that you two were meant for each other,” laughed James. “I’m glad to hear he was right, you seem like a remarkable girl.”

“More than you know,” smiled Harry.

“Stop it,” blushed Hermione. “We both know I’d be nothing without you.”

“Troll food?” laughed Harry.

“Someday in the very distant future, you’ll have to tell us all of your inside stories when we have more time,” laughed James.

“I still have so much I want to ask you both,” said Harry.

“You’ll have time,” said Lily comfortingly. “Eventually. For right now, you seem to have all you need in that wonderful woman standing next to you.”

Hermione smiled softly and Harry squeezed her hand tightly.

“Before we have to go, can you get Dumbledore for me?” asked Harry. “I want to ask him something quickly.”

“Dumbledore?” asked Sirius and James at the same time. “What makes you think he’s over here?”

“...I saw him die,” stated Harry after a moment.

“Bollocks,” said Sirius. “Dumbledore can’t die.”

“I saw it with my own two eyes,” replied Harry.

“Well he’s not over here,” said James. Harry went silent as his mind started to reel.

“Perhaps you saw what he wanted you to see, and not what actually happened,” said Lily softly. “Our time is up. We’ll see you eventually Harry. We love you.”

“I love you too Mum. And Dad. And you Sirius,” smiled Harry.

“Say hi to Remus for us! Until next time!” called Sirius, his voice fading into the standard mass of murmurs.

Harry turned and looked at Hermione, a lone tear of happiness rolling down her cheek. Smiling, he pulled her tight to him and sighed.

“They like me,” she whispered.

“It’s a shame they can’t see you like I can,” said Harry.

“In time,” said Hermione. They smiled and stood in each others arms for a moment, until the door at the entrance to the room burst open, Ron running inside and closing it quickly behind him.

“Oh, I see,” he drawled, hyperventilating. “I’ve been running my arse off around here, trying to keep from getting caught by the aurors, and you two are down here snogging.”

“We are not snogging,” corrected Harry. “We were talking to my parents.”

Ron opened his mouth to speak then stopped.

“Come again?” he asked.

“You heard me,” laughed Harry. “Now come on, we should get out of here.”

“Not so fast,” a cold voice said from the doorway to the room where the brains resided. The three of them turned to find Rufus Scrimgeour staring at them with his arms crossed. “You all have some explaining to do.”

=====

“Now then,” said the minister, sitting at the desk in his office, the three teens in chairs in front of him. “Care to tell me why you were in the Department of Mysteries at three in the morning?”

“I am more than willing to tell you that it’s none of your business,” said Harry, crossing his arms, wondering if the guards standing outside the door could hear them.

“Very well,” sighed Scrimgeour. “In that case I guess I’ll have no choice but to arrest the three of you for trespassing on government property...and add vandalism charges to the red-haired one.”

“You would put the only chance of winning this war in a cell?” asked Harry appraisingly.

“So you do know more than you or Dumbledore were letting on,” nodded the Minister. “Why are you the only person capable of killing him?”

“How can we trust you?” asked Hermione. “You just threatened us with prison time if we didn’t give you what you wanted.”

“I drive a hard bargain,” shrugged Rufus. “Are you going to tell me or not?”

“I want some proof that you’ll not tell anyone what’s going on,” said Harry. “And a silencing charm on this office.”

Rufus considered this for a moment before pressing a button on his desk.

“Dawlish?” he asked.

“Yes, sir?” the auror’s voice responded.

“Bring Stan Shunpike up here please.”

“Right away sir.”

Harry stared in confusion at the minster for the minute it took the ex-conductor of the Knight Bus to arrive. He still had as many pimples, but was much thinner and paler.

“Yes?” he asked in a defeated tone of voice.

With a flourish of his wand, Rufus conjured up a piece of parchment and quickly signed his name on it.

“This is your official executive pardon,” said Scrimgeour, turning the parchment around so Stan could read it. “Please sign it.”

“You...you’re letting me go?” asked Stan, as Harry, Hermione, and Ron watched on in amazement.

“Some evidence has been brought to my attention that proves you were wrongfully arrested,” said the minister. “You will be fully compensated for the treatment you received while you were here.”

“Well geez...thanks,” said Stan, amazed. Taking the quill he signed his name on the parchment.

“Dawlish, please escort Mister Shunpike to his place of residence and make sure his pantry is well stocked for the next few days,” said Rufus.

“Yes, sir,” replied Dawlish, turning to a flabbergasted Stan Shunpike, who opened his mouth to say something to Harry on the way out, but couldn’t find the words.

“An act of goodwill on my part,” said Rufus, once they had gone. “I believe you had been wanting his release for some time, Harry.”

Harry nodded slowly, still amazed at what had just transpired.

“I like my office very much,” remarked Rufus, looking around. “But as much as I like it, the welfare of my people is what matters to me the most. It is clear to me that you are going to be a vital part in winning this war, Harry. If it is still not too late, I would again like to request your help.”

“If we’re going to be partners, I need to make one thing very clear,” said Harry, leveling his gaze at Rufus. “You don’t get my help. I get yours.”

The minister considered him for a moment before sighing.

“I don’t like it,” said Rufus. “But I know from decades in the Auror Division that it’s easier to win when you’re not fighting amongst yourselves. You have the aide of the Ministry.”

“It’s a deal then,” nodded Harry.

“So what were you doing down there?” asked Rufus, as the three teens stood up and turned to leave.

“What do you know about the Legend of the King of Light?” asked Harry, glancing slightly over his shoulder. He could see Rufus’ eyes widen slightly as he said this. “Good. I can see that I don’t need to say any more. We’ll meet again, Minister.”

=====

“What a night,” groaned Ron, as the reached King’s Cross station. The sky was beginning to get light and the teens had just been dropped off by a Ministry car at the station.

“Yeah,” said Harry, stretching, as they reached the archway between platforms 9 and 10. “All together then?”

“Sure,” said Ron, leaning up against the bricks as Harry and Hermione did the same. They all slid through at the same time and nearly fell down at the sight that lay before them.

“My god...” whispered Hermione.

The Hogwarts Express was in ruins, blown apart. The platform had large pieces of metal, portions of compartments and the like lying all over it, and there were several gaping holes in the ceiling and walls.

“It looks like one of those muggle bongs went off in here,” commented Ron, taken aback.

“Bombs,” corrected Harry and Hermione at the same time. “How did this happen?” asked Hermione.

“I don’t know,” said Harry, kicking around some debris on the ground. “This can’t be good.”

“Tell me about it,” said Hermione. “How are we going to get back?”

“We could try apparating to Hogsmeade,” suggested Ron. Harry nodded and closed his eyes, but just as he was about to feel the familiar squeezing sensation, he was blocked.

“I can’t do it,” said Harry, confused. “I don’t get it.”

“It must be an anti-apparition field,” said Hermione, worried. “That only means one thing.”

“Hogsmeade is under attack,” nodded Harry.

“What now?” asked Ron.

“It’ll be slower than apparition...but we can use the Knight Bus,” said Harry.

“Let’s go then,” said Hermione, already on her way out of the station.

They reached the curb and Harry wasted no time in calling the bus. All three of them were extremely surprised to see Stan greet them.

“You’re back working already?” asked Harry, amazed.

“Course,” smiled the conductor. “This bus is me home, after all. What can I do fer ya?”

“We need to get to Hogsmeade as fast as you can get us there,” said Harry.

“Well, get in then,” said Stan. “You got me out of prison Harry, I owe you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” smiled Harry.

“Hey Ern!” called Stan

“Ya?” asked the driver.

“Nonstop express to Hogsmeade,” called Stan as Harry, Hermione, and Ron boarded and took their seats. “And step on it!”

“Blimey I didn’t know this thing could go this fast,” muttered Ron as the bus took off, moving at least three times its normal speed.

“Only fer emergencies,” called out Stan. “We’ll be there in about ten minutes.”

“Drop us off at the base of the mountain on the outskirts of the village,” called Harry. “We don’t want to attract attention.”

“Can I ask why?” asked Stan, as the bus made a sharp turn and Harry had to catch Hermione when she flew out of her seat.

“We think it’s under attack,” called Hermione, smiling gratefully at Harry.

“I hope you don’t expect us to stick around then, do you?” asked Stan looking slightly worried. “I know I owe you and all Harry, but fighting You-Know-Who isn’t something I’d fancy.”

“Don’t worry, the ride will be enough,” called Harry.

They spent the rest of the ride without conversation, too busy hanging on for dear life as the bus hurtled through the countryside.

“Almost there!” called out Stan. “Get ready!”

The bus halted a moment later, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione, ran up to the front and got off.

“Good luck you three,” said Stan. “Looks like you’re gonna need it.”

Harry nodded in thanks and turned to face the village as the bus shot away from them. Smoke was rising from several buildings, and in the distance, looming above Hogwarts in the predawn light, the emerald green skull and serpent hung just like it had several months ago.

“Bloody hell,” whispered Ron. “Look at what happens when we’re gone for a couple hours.”

“Let’s go,” said Harry, stepping forward and drawing his wand.

The three teens walked in wary silence for the next five minutes, keeping an eye out as they entered the main part of the village.

“It’s just like King’s Cross,” whispered Hermione, looking around. Sure enough, many of the buildings were wrecked, the ones that were still standing were obviously barely so.

“Look over there!” whispered Ron urgently, pointing at a figure lying in the middle of the road ahead of them.

“Be on guard,” said Harry, as they approached the person.

“Harry?” asked Hermione, as the reached the body. “Oh god...it’s Remus.”

Harry quickly kneeled down next to his friend. He was badly bruised, as if he had been inside one of the buildings when it collapsed, and was bleeding from several places on his face.

“Harry?” he asked weakly.

“Remus,” said Harry. “Stay with me now.”

“The woods...taking refuge in the woods...”

And with that he lost consciousness.

“Let’s go,” said Harry, using his wand to levitate Remus.

As fast as the three of them could run, they took off for the Forbidden Forest, trying to shake the increasing feeling of dread as they ran by the castle.

When they were a long way into the forest, Harry slowed enough so that they could catch their breath for a few moments.

“Look, isn’t there any way we can find out where we’re supposed to be going?” asked Ron, doubling over. “I mean, this forest is so incredibly large –”

“Quiet,” hissed Harry urgently, looking around. He had heard a rustle in the foliage and was looking around intently at his surroundings.

“Might just be a small animal,” said Hermione.

“Harry?” called a voice to their right.

“Who’s there?” yelled Harry, whipping around.

“It’s me, Charlie,” said Charlie Weasley, stepping out from underneath an invisibility cloak. “We’ve been hoping you’d come find us here – bloody hell is that Remus?!”

“Yeah, we found him in Hogsmeade,” said Harry. “Where is everyone?”

“Not far from here, come on I’ll lead the way,” nodded Charlie, jogging off ahead of them.

A few minutes later they saw the telltale flicker of a campfire in the distance, and it only took another minute to reach the camp.

“Remus!” shrieked Tonks running over. Her face was sunken and her eyes were red; it looked as if she had gone through too much in a short amount of time.

“He’s alive,” breathed Harry. “We found him in Hogsmeade.”

“Poppy!” yelled Tonks, standing next to Remus. “Help!”

The Hogwarts nurse came running over, her usually flawless white apron smeared with dirt and blood.

“His vitals are dropping,” she said, running her wand over his unconscious body. “I’ll take him into tent two.”

She promptly assumed control of Remus, and floated him into a nearby tent, Tonks following with shaky sobs.

With the urgent problem quelled for the moment, Harry took a moment to look around the area and his jaw nearly dropped when he saw how big it actually was.

There was an average-sized campfire in the middle of the area, surrounded by at least two dozen students seeking the warmth. About twenty tents were scattered amongst the trees, and more students were sitting around, talking with each other.

“It looks like all of Hogwarts is here...” sighed Harry an overwhelming sense of loss coming to him.

“Glad to see you guys made it back alright,” said a voice to their right. Harry started slightly and turned to see Neville standing next to him.

“Blimey, Nev, don’t scare me like that,” said Harry shaking his head.

“Sorry,” said Neville sheepishly.

“Neville, what happened?” asked Hermione.

“It’s not my place to tell you,” he sighed. “McGonagal wants to speak to you herself about that.”

“Where are Luna and Ginny?” asked Ron.

“Ginny’s sleeping by the fire,” frowned Neville, putting his hands into his pockets and looking down at the ground. “Luna...”

“Neville,” said Ron warningly.

“She’s here,” he sighed again. “But she was injured very badly in the escape. They’re not sure if she’s going to make it, Ron.”

Harry turned to look at his friend and saw that the color in his face had drained completely.

“Where...where is she?” whispered Ron.

“Tent six,” said Neville, pointing to a tent by the fire.

Ron didn’t say another word, he simply walked off towards the tent, not looking back even once.

“I suppose I should take you two to see McGonagal,” said Neville. Harry nodded slowly, still in shock from the news about Luna. “This way.”

They followed Neville into the largest tent in the camp. Seated at a table inside were McGonagal, Kingsley, and Moody.

“Good to see you made it back,” said McGonagal, standing up. “Neville, thank you.”

“Yes, ma’am,” said Neville, turning and leaving the tent.

“We were worried,” said Minerva, frowning slightly.

“What the hell happened?” asked Harry desperately.

“After I went to help Remus and Tonks with your little ‘situation’,” said Moody, “we apparated back to Hogsmeade just in time to see Voldemort and his death eaters storm the area.”

“And?” asked Harry.

“Remus went into one of the buildings that caught fire,” sighed Kingsley. “He wasn’t in there for ten seconds when it blew apart. We didn’t think he had made it and had to drag a screaming Tonks out of the village, and back to camp here.”

“No wonder she looked so distraught,” sighed Harry, running his hands through his hair. “So does anyone want to explain to me why we’re all camped out like this?”

“Voldemort attacked, obviously,” said McGonagal. “We weren’t ready, he stormed the school with about two hundred death eaters and started firing off killing curses left and right.”

“How many dead?” asked Harry, finding Hermione’s hand for support.

“Out of the entire population, there are eleven students and two teachers missing, presumed either already dead or soon to be,” said Moody.

“Anyone I know?” asked Harry.

“The teachers are Professor Slughorn and Sibyll Trelawney,” said McGonagal. “Two I am quite concerned about, actually.”

“Slughorn because he knows so much, and Trelawney because she made the prophecy,” frowned Hermione.

“Quite right,” sighed McGonagal. “I hope Horace can avoid divulging what he knows...it would undoubtedly cause us to lose this war if Voldemort found out about everything we’ve worked so hard to keep from him.”

“What about the students?” asked Harry.

“Draco is probably the most important one,” said McGonagal. “But since he’s lived in the company of death eaters his entire life, I’m sure he can handle himself. Either that or he’s already dead.”

“And the others?” asked Harry.

“I’m afraid to say that Seamus Finnigan is one of them,” said McGonagal sadly. “I don’t believe you know the other nine.”

“Seamus,” whispered Harry, bowing his head.

“Do we know why Voldemort attacked in the first place?” asked Hermione.

“Wanted to make a point, most likely,” said Moody. “That there’s no place in all of Europe that’s safe from him.”

“And he did a good job of it,” said Kingsley. “I wonder how the world will react when the headlines later on read, ‘Dark Lord captures Hogwarts!’”

“I’m going outside,” said Harry. “I need some air.”

“We’ve prepared a tent for you, Hermione, and Ron,” said McGonagal as Harry turned his back.

“Do the other students have tents also?” asked Harry.

“No, but –”

“Then I’ll sleep outside with them,” he said, swiftly walking from the tent, Hermione close behind him.

Harry had walked a little ways away into the trees before Hermione stopped him.

“We shouldn’t go too far,” she said, taking his hand. “It might not be safe.”

“Innocent students, Hermione,” said Harry, staring straight ahead. “Not students...people. Friends. Seamus...Luna...”

“It’s not fair,” whispered Hermione. “I know it isn’t.”

“They don’t deserve this,” said Harry, staring at the specks of sunlight that were starting to stream through the trees. “There’s just too much suffering. And it’s all his bloody fault!”

Harry punched the tree nearest him so hard that the bark shattered where he made contact. Tears of frustration started to fall as he slumped to the ground, Hermione with him.

“Give me that,” she whispered, taking his hand which was already bleeding. Waving her wand over it, the wounds healed up quickly and she promptly wrapped her arms around him tightly. “We’ll all get through this, Harry. We have to.”

“I’m just terrified that one day you’ll be on one of those lists too,” whispered Harry, holding her tightly.

“Don’t think about that,” she said softly. “Just think happier thoughts.”

“Like what?” asked Harry in a very dismayed tone of voice.

“Think about us together on a porch swing, looking over our backyard while our grandchildren roll and play in the fresh spring grass, the smell of homemade apple pie in the air without a cloud in the sky,” said Hermione softly.

“What did I do to deserve you?” blinked Harry, looking at her after a moment.

“I ask myself that same question every time you kiss me,” replied Hermione with a soft smile.

“Stay with me,” asked Harry, taking her hand. “Just...please. Stay and rest with me here.”

“I’d never leave you, you know that,” smiled Hermione, laying her head in his lap.

Harry stared off into the distance and finally felt the fatigue of the night start to overtake him. Closing his eyes, he draped his arm over Hermione’s body and lay back against the trunk of the tree, songs of mourning from the waking birds finally lulling him to sleep.

---------------

I had another brain block this week, so I watched some movies for ideas and got one that you all should remember very well.

At some point in everyone’s lives, they must make the choice between what is right, and what is easy.

Goblet of Fire for the win.

My last note to you this week, is remember what I’ve been saying. If at some point in your lives, you can impart any wisdom, be it mine, someone else’s, or your own, to someone else, then that’s all that matters. Until next time!

16. The Camp

What a hectic couple of weeks. I’d tell you all about them, but I’m sure you’re more interested in reading the story than hearing about my personal life, so I’ll leave it at one word. Montreal.

And I’m SO sorry for getting this out

a couple of days

a week late...er...real life did it’s normal thing to me again.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 16: The Camp

The next couple of weeks passed in a haze for Harry. All thoughts of kingly quests and searching for pieces of his archenemy’s soul were pushed aside to help with the injured as much as possible. It had been an especially rough few days, with two more students dying from injuries, a fifth year and a second year.

Harry was seated by the currently extinguished campfire, doing his best to keep attention away from himself.

“Hey,” a soft voice said from behind him. Harry didn’t even have to turn and look to know who it was as Hermione sat down next to him.

“We lost Jacob today,” he sighed, not looking at her.

“Oh, Harry...I’m so sorry,” she whispered, resting her head on his shoulder.

“He was twelve,” muttered Harry, shaking his head. “Bloody unfair if you ask me.”

“Nothing is fair about who lives and who dies,” said Hermione, taking his hand.

“Tell me about it,” grumbled Harry. He heard footsteps coming towards him and looked up to see his best mate shuffling towards them, looking pale as ever.

“Hey guys,” he said, sitting down next to them. They had only seen Ron twice since they had arrived back at the camp, and neither time had they exchanged words.

“How is she?” asked Harry. Being that Ron had been keeping vigil by Luna’s side since they arrived, Harry and Hermione had agreed that he deserved his privacy with her, and hadn’t gone to visit.

“Same as she has been,” sighed Ron, running his hand through his hair.

“Did you find out how it happened?” asked Hermione.

“According to Dean they were running through the halls and reached a set of stairs when several curses were cast at them,” sighed Ron. “She was thrown down the stairs face first. When she landed some large chunks of rock from the castle walls fell on her.”

“How bad are her injuries?” asked Harry.

“Pomfrey said her skull was cracked in three places and she was beginning to drown from fluid build-up in her lungs when they got to the camp,” said Ron, and it was obvious to Harry and Hermione he was trying hard to not cry. “They managed to stabilize her just in time, but she’s in a coma now.”

“My god,” whispered Hermione.

“She’ll pull through,” encouraged Harry. “Luna’s a resilient girl.”

“I suppose,” muttered Ron in a very Harry-esque fashion. “You two been up to much lately?”

“We’ve been trying to help as many people as possible,” said Hermione.

“Mmm,” grunted Ron. “How’s Remus?”

“Better,” sighed Harry. “Pomfrey expects he’ll make a full recovery.”

“That’s good,” sighed Ron. “I feel like I haven’t been a good friend, not visiting him at all.”

“He understands,” said Hermione. “It’s not like Harry and I are perfect either, we haven’t been around to see Luna after all.”

“Yeah...it’s all been so bloody hectic,” muttered Harry. The three of them sat in silence for a moment before Ron spoke up.

“Oh, McGonagal wants to see you by the way,” he said sullenly.

“How come?” asked Harry.

“Dunno,” replied Ron. “But from the way she asked, it sounded like she was a bit impatient.”

“She might want to know why we haven’t made progress on the horcruxes and the bracelet,” said Hermione as Harry sighed and stood up.

“We destroyed the locket and we’re halfway done with this thing,” he said, holding out the wrist on which the bracelet was hanging. “Honestly, she can’t expect us to get so lucky every time.”

“We did get lucky,” commented Hermione, standing up. “But we haven’t been really diligent about continuing.”

“I think there have been more pressing matters,” grumbled Harry. “D’you wanna come with, Ron?”

“Thanks mate, but I think I’m gonna head back to Luna,” he said, rising as well. “I don’t want her to wake up and be alone.”

“Of course,” smiled Hermione ruefully as Ron walked off.

“C’mon,” said Harry. “I s’pose we should get this over with.”

“Harry,” said Hermione gently, taking his hand. “Don’t act like you’re walking to the firing squad. I could be wrong and she might want to talk about something completely unrelated.”

“And since when are you wrong?” said Harry with a slight smile.

“Touche,” chuckled Hermione softly.

“I guess you’re right,” sighed Harry. “I have been a little pessimistic lately.”

“A little?” smiled Hermione.

“Don’t push it, Granger,” joked Harry, squeezing her hand.

They arrived at the main tent to find McGonagal hunched over a large map spread out on a table, with figurines placed in different spots on it.

“A war map?” asked Hermione as they approached her. “Has it really come to this?”

“I’m afraid so, Miss Granger,” sighed McGonagal, standing up. “While we are protected by the combination of several charms, we have no way of receiving supplies from the outside world either.”

“So we’re under siege,” muttered Harry. “Does that mean Voldemort knows we’re hiding out here?”

“Probably,” nodded McGonagal. “But like I said, perimeter and displacement charms work very well to keep us hidden.”

“So what now?” asked Harry. “Can’t we send for supplies?”

“It might not be that easy,” replied McGonagal. “We can’t risk sending out owls to let people know what we need, and no one from the outside world can find us on their own.”

“Couldn’t someone just go out and get them?” asked Harry. “I mean, if we could get in so easily, couldn’t we get out too?”

“Theoretically,” said McGonagal. “But the fewer people we send out, the better. We don’t want to attract attention to ourselves, after all. I’d prefer to wait until you’ve figured out where you need to go next, so you can do that and get what we need at the same time.”

“So this is about my so-called quest,” said Harry, darkening.

“You do understand the importance of finishing it, don’t you?” asked McGonagal, arching an eyebrow.

“And you understand the importance of not letting more people die, right?” countered Harry. “You know Jacob Mitchells died not an hour ago.”

“Another one?” asked McGonagal, deflated.

“Yes. I think for the time being the students need my help,” said Harry defensively.

“Harry, you know in the long run fewer people will die if you finish this business quicker,” said McGonagal.

“And what about the ones who’ve died already?” asked Harry, crossing his arms.

“They would want you to help save their families, the ones who aren’t protected like we are,” replied McGonagal with conviction.

“I’ll think about it,” said Harry, turning on his heel and walking from the tent.

He didn’t stop and turn around until he was well out of the main camp and Hermione was chasing after him, calling his name.

“Harry wait!” she called.

“Yeah?” asked Harry impatiently.

“Harry...why are you mad at me?” she asked softly. “I’m not trying to change your mind.”

“I’m sorry,” he sighed, sitting down on the ground. “Honestly I don’t know why this is bothering me so much...”

“I do,” whispered Hermione, sitting down on his lap. “It’s because you want to do the right thing, but you’re scared that if you mess it up we’ll all be doomed.”

“I’m...I’m just so tired of all of this,” said Harry, defeated. Hermione stared off at the tree behind him a moment before he looked up at her. “What is it?”

“Harry,” she whispered. “Let me make it better.”

“Huh?” he asked.

“Let me help you forget about all of this...even just for a minute.”

“I...I don’t follow.”

“Oh bloody hell!” exclaimed Hermione, exasperated. “I’m asking if you want to...to be with me.”

“I am with you.”

“No!” exclaimed Hermione with nervous laughter. “I mean...be with me.”

Harry’s brow furrowed for a moment before he looked at her wide-eyed, the implications of her offer washing over him.

“Are you...”

“Serious?” finished Hermione. “Very.”

“But I mean...look at the position we’re in right now,” he said softly.

“Seems like a rational enough position,” smiled Hermione, referring to herself in his lap.

“I’m serious,” said Harry, softly. “I mean, is now the best time?”

“You...you don’t want to?” asked Hermione, confused.

“I’m not saying that...” said Harry sheepishly. Hermione looked at him for a moment before sighing.

“I see,” she said softly. “I’ll leave you alone.” And without another word she stood up and walked off dejectedly.

Harry sat stunned for a moment before he got up and followed after her.

“Hey,” he said, taking her hand gently. “Why are you upset?”

“I’m not,” lied Hermione.

“I think I know you well enough to know when you’re upset,” said Harry seriously.

“I don’t know...I suppose I’m being foolish,” replied Hermione. “I guess when you said you didn’t want to...I think some part of me thought you didn’t want to with me.”

“Nothing could be farther from the truth,” said Harry, stepping in front of her so she had to stop walking. “It’s just not the easiest subject for me to talk about, that’s all.”

“Try,” asked Hermione. Harry took a deep breath to steady himself.

“Look...all of this...the war, the camp, I don’t want our first time to happen because of outside circumstances,” he sighed. “I want it to be...”

“Special?”

“Yeah,” smiled Harry sadly. “I want it to be when you and I can be together without having to care for others...without a worry in the world.”

“Harry?” asked Hermione. “That could be a very long way off...”

“Shite...” muttered Harry, running a hand through his hair. “That’s not how I meant it.”

“You want it to be when it matters the most, not when it would help you feel better,” smiled Hermione ruefully.

“Yeah,” nodded Harry. “You understand, don’t you?”

“Of course,” smiled Hermione. “Remember though...just because you realised that you loved me a few months ago doesn’t mean the same goes for me.”

“I know,” nodded Harry. “And I promise...when the time is right.”

“You are something else, Harry Potter,” sighed Hermione, weaving her fingers with his as they walked back towards the camp.

“The same could be said of you, Miss Granger,” he smiled, squeezing her side lightly.

When they arrived back in the camp, they were met by Tonks, who although obviously still extremely worn out, looked much better now that Remus was going to be okay.

“Hey Tonks,” nodded Harry.

“Wotcher you two,” smiled Tonks. “Where’ve you been?”

“Out for a walk,” said Harry, returning the smile. “How’s Remus?”

“He’s the reason I came to find you, actually,” said Tonks. “He woke up a little while ago and wanted to speak with you when you had the chance.”

“Sounds like he’s doing much better,” said Hermione as Tonks led them over to the tent Remus was in.

“Loads,” nodded Tonks. “And thank Merlin...I thought for sure he was gone when you all brought him in.”

“I believe it,” sighed Harry as they entered the tent.

This tent had always reminded Harry of a military barracks. Although it was the second largest tent in the camp next to McGonagal’s on the outside, the inside had been magically charmed to be larger and was the size of a gymnasium. Row upon row of beds were present, mostly for the injured, but Harry had come to learn in the weeks he had been there that the uninjured students frequently drew straws for the unused beds each night.

As they walked over to Remus, Harry cringed at one of the older students lying in a bed nearby.

“Anna Thacker,” said Tonks, seeing Harry’s expression. “She probably won’t make it through the end of the week.”

“What happened?” whispered Hermione as they passed her. The girl’s face had no color left in it, deep gashes and marks that looked like cigarette burns riddled her head, neck, and what they could see of her arms. Her hair was pulled out in a couple places, the rest was matted down with dried blood, presumably her own.

“She was one of the students being tortured by death eaters that was rescued by the escape party,” sighed Tonks. “She was a sixth year...I think Ginny knows her.”

“What house was she in?” asked Harry.

“Slytherin,” said Tonks as they reached Remus. “Just goes to show you that the house doesn’t really mean anything to the death eaters.”

“Hey you two,” smiled Remus at Harry and Hermione.

“And I don’t get a hello?” pouted Tonks.

“Come back later and I’ll give you a proper one,” winked Remus.

“Fair enough,” said Tonks, blushing slightly. “I’ll let you three alone.”

“I hear I have you two and Ron to thank for me being alive,” smiled Remus once she had gone.

“I wish people wouldn’t say things like that,” sighed Harry with a small smile. “If we say yes, we’re being conceited, and if we say no we’re lying.”

“It’s why I said it,” grinned Remus. “But thank you...it means a lot to me, probably more to Tonks.”

“Means a lot to me too,” smiled Harry, putting his hand on Remus’ shoulder. “I mean, we can’t let the last of the Marauders die like that.”

“How very true,” grinned Remus. “I’m sure Sirius is up there laughing at me right now as we speak.”

Harry shared a thoughtful look with Hermione at the mention of Sirius.

“What is it?” asked Remus.

“I’m not sure you’re quite well enough to hear this story yet,” said Harry, turning back to him.

“What story?” asked Remus.

“I talked to him,” said Harry. “And my parents.”

Remus considered him carefully for a moment.

“In a dream?” he asked.

“Real life,” chuckled Harry. “I can’t believe it myself sometimes.”

“You know it’s not nice to joke with an injured man,” said Remus with a smile.

“I’m not joking,” replied Harry.

“It’s true,” said Hermione. “Long story short, the next part of the quest took us to the Death Arch in the Ministry.”

“For the bracelet?” asked Remus. Harry nodded.

“They talked to us,” he said. “Mum, Dad, Sirius...we got to talk to them.”

“You...you aren’t serious, are you?” asked Remus.

“Would I lie about something like this?” countered Harry.

“It wouldn’t be the strangest thing I’ve ever heard,” sighed Remus, gazing at the ceiling. “Are they well?”

“Quite,” smiled Harry. “They wanted us to tell you ‘hi’ for them.”

“There are so many things in this world that I can’t understand,” scoffed Remus, shaking his head. “A portal that allows you to communicate with the dead...imagine what would happen if something like that fell into the wrong hands.”

“Like time?” asked Harry, referring to another room in the Department of Mysteries.

“There are so many things in there that are best left alone,” sighed Remus. “I would be terrified if I heard Voldemort figured out how to communicate with the dead, let alone got his hands on a time turner.”

Harry looked at Hermione cautiously as the thought of Voldemort going back in time to save himself that night at Godric’s Hollow crossed his mind.

“But enough depressing talk,” said Remus, refocusing his attention on Harry and Hermione. “I heard something from Tonks that I didn’t really care for.”

“Which is?” asked Harry.

“You aren’t very inclined to keep at your task,” said Remus, raising an eyebrow.

“News travels fast,” groaned Harry, shaking his head.

“When it concerns the fate of the world?” questioned Remus. “You should know better than that, Harry.”

“Look,” said Harry. “Is it too much, after everything I’ve been through, to ask for some time to sort out my bloody life?”

“No,” sighed Remus. “But unfortunately time isn’t something we have a whole lot of right now.”

“I know you just want to help Remus,” said Harry. “But please don’t put any more pressure me than I already have.”

“Alright,” nodded Remus. “If it makes you feel better, we’re not as far behind in this war as you think we are.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Harry.

“I don’t hold much store in destiny,” said Remus, his gaze flickering up to the ceiling again. “But after everything that’s happened...with the prophecy, the bracelet...I can’t help but feel we’re destined to win this war.”

“That makes one of us,” smiled Harry ruefully.

“Take care Harry,” smiled Remus. “Hopefully I won’t see you again for a little while.”

“We’ll see,” sighed Harry, shaking hands with his old mentor for a moment before turning to leave, Hermione giving Remus a quick smile before following.

“Why are you so scared about all of this?” asked Hermione once they were out of the tent.

“I’m not scared,” said Harry unconvincingly.

“You are,” said Hermione softly. “I can see it in your eyes.”

“Look,” said Harry, turning around to face her. “Look at what’s happened. Remus, Luna...everyone else, that poor girl in the hospital tent...they’re there because of –”

“If you say ‘me’, I will slap you,” said Hermione cutting him off. “They’re there because of Voldemort, and no one else.”

“He was after me,” retorted Harry.

“Not according to McGonagal,” said Hermione. “From what I’ve heard, he waited until we were gone to attack the school, because he wanted to take it as a statement to the rest of the world.”

“Why would he do that?” asked Harry. “Wouldn’t it be easier to attack while I’m there, and try to finish me at the same time?”

“Since when has Voldemort been able to finish you when he’s planned to?” smiled Hermione. Comprehension dawned on Harry as her smile turned into a grin. “He’s scared of you Harry...maybe not consciously, but I think some part of him knows that so far, he’s fought you five times, and all five times you’ve either escaped or come out victorious.”

Harry stared at her, a new wave of optimism washing over him.

“He knows he’s in trouble,” said Hermione. “It’s why he took the school. He wants to rally more to his army before he attacks...because he doesn’t want to do it himself for fear of losing.”

“And yet it has to be me who finishes him,” sighed Harry. “I just wish it was someone else...I mean, it’s like you said. Five times. Why can’t someone else take a shot?”

“Like Dumbledore?” asked Hermione. Harry said nothing, only sighed and looked up at the darkening sky.

“Guys!” called a voice from behind them. Harry and Hermione turned to see Ron running over, looking much better for the wear.

“Ron,” said Hermione as he reached them. “What’s going on?”

“It’s Luna,” he huffed, coming to a halt. “She woke up.”

“What?” exclaimed Harry. “When?”

“About twenty minutes ago,” said Ron, standing up straight. “I would’ve come to get you guys right away, but...er...”

“You needed some private time,” nodded Hermione, not needing to push the subject.

“Yeah,” said Ron. “She wants to speak with you, mate.”

“Me?” asked Harry. Ron nodded. “Why?”

“Dunno,” said Ron. “I heard Pomfrey talking to her about something when she was feeling a little better, and that’s when she told me to come get you.”

“Do...d’you mind?” asked Harry tentatively. Ron shook his head.

“I’ve already said my piece...she just wants to speak with you privately for a moment.”

“Alright,” nodded Harry.

The three of them walked off to the tent Luna was staying in, Harry nodding once to them once they arrived before walking into the tent. It took all his willpower not to gasp at what had become of his blond-haired friend.

“Luna...” he breathed, a lone tear falling unnoticed down his cheek.

Her face was discolored from the bruises on it, and combined with the many cuts and scratches that were only starting to heal, she looked a bit like a patchwork doll. Weakly, she opened her eyes and blinked at him.

“Harry?” she asked

“It’s me,” he whispered, hurrying to her side. “God, Luna...how did this happen?”

“Hogwarts was built with hard rocks,” she smiled weakly.

“How can you smile at a time like this?” choked Harry. “Look at what’s happened to you.”

“I’m alive,” sighed Luna, closing her eyes. “And Ronald is with me. I can’t ask for anything else.”

“You are truly a remarkable person,” said Harry with a sad smile.

“Thank you,” replied Luna. “I did hear something that worries me though.”

Harry said nothing, if anything, his expression darkened slightly at what he knew was coming.

“You have no desire to finish your job,” said Luna matter-of-factly.

“Not you too,” replied Harry, shaking his head. “The people here need my help too.”

“I don’t deny that,” sighed Luna, looking up at him. “But I think you and I both know you need to help everyone in a different way.”

“You, McGonagal, and everyone else,” muttered Harry, looking away.

“Harry, look at me,” said Luna surprisingly firmly. He turned back to face her and saw through the painful discoloration of her skin, the familiar protuberant grey eyes looking back at him with uncompromising loyalty. “Forget small battles. We’re in an all out war now.”

“I know that,” he replied hollowly.

“Whether you want it or not, whether you need it or not, you are the only way we can win,” said Luna. “If not for yourself, for Hermione.”

Harry stared at Luna for a moment, as if seeing her for the first time. There was only sincerity in her eyes, no hesitation, no doubt.

And Harry realized that everything that had been burdened upon him...the death of his parents, his imprisonment with the Dursleys, saving the Philosopher’s Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, saving Sirius only to have his name not cleared, the Triwizard Tournament, the return of Voldemort, the death of Cedric...the death of Sirius, the death of Dumbledore, and finally his duty to restore light to the world, he had been given those burdens for a reason.

It was because he could handle them.

And it was because of people he loved that he could handle them.

And it was his duty to repay them in kind for that love.

“Do you understand now?” asked Luna softly.

“Yes,” whispered Harry, nodding. “I’ll get Ron for you.”

Harry didn’t see it as he turned to walk away, but for the first time in her life, the smile on Luna’s face was not one of happy delirium, but of peace.

“You okay, mate?” asked Ron as Harry walked out. “You look...different.”

“I think I’m alright,” replied Harry, putting his hand on Ron’s shoulder. “Stay here with her Ron, she needs you more than I do now.”

Ron stared at him confused for a moment before he understood.

“Come find me before you leave then,” sighed Ron. Harry nodded and watched his best friend walk into the tent behind him.

“Looks like it’s just us then,” smiled Harry, turning to Hermione. “I suppose we should go tell McGonagal.”

“It might be a good idea,” nodded Hermione with a small smile, interlacing her fingers with his as she often did while they walked towards the main tent. “I’m glad you’ve come around.”

“Luna can be quite convincing,” shrugged Harry as they reached their destination.

“So you’ve come to your senses, then?” asked McGonagal as the two teens entered her tent.

“I suppose you could say that,” nodded Harry.

“Good,” said McGonagal, with a slight smile. “I did your work for you on this one, Potter, but don’t expect me to be able to do it for you all the time.”

“Hmm?” asked Harry confusedly.

“Pandora’s Box held every evil entity known to man inside it. Despair, fear, death, remorse, pain...but it also held one thing that not even evil could vanquish.”

“Hope,” said Hermione softly.

“Correct,” replied McGonagal, pulling out a large map of Great Britain and laying it on the war table. Turning it to face Harry and Hermione, she looked at them once before placing her index finger on a small dot near the northernmost portion of the map. “Your destination is Azkaban Fortress.”

“How did you know about the clue in the first place?” asked Harry, dumbstruck

“Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Severus Snape aren’t the only three people in this world who can do Legillimancy,” said McGonagal. “Please don’t take it personally, I only want what’s best for the most people.”

“I suppose,” sighed Harry. “We’ll leave right away then.”

“You’ll have to fly,” said McGonagal. “Since the dementors rebelled, the island has been closed off from all forms of transportation except air.”

“We’ll make do,” said Harry as McGonagal presented Hermione a brand new Nimbus 2001.

“For you, dear,” smiled the headmistress. “Madam Hooch had it on order for herself to better judge our matches...but it’s obvious she won’t be using it. You can’t keep flying around on old, shaky brooms if you’re going to help save the world, after all.”

“Tell her thank you for me,” smiled Hermione, taking the broom.

“Of course,” smiled McGonagal. “Now get to it...and see if you can’t bring back some food and medical supplies when you return.”

“Will do,” said Harry. “Let’s go.”

Hermione nodded and followed him out of the tent, both of them proceeding directly to Ron and Luna.

“You’re off already?” asked Ron when they entered.

“Can’t waste any more time than I already have,” shrugged Harry. “I’m glad you’re staying Ron.”

“Well...I suppose Hermione can take better care of you than I ever could, and Luna needs me anyway,” smiled Ron.

“Ronald,” coughed Luna, hitting him lightly on the arm. “Please don’t make me out to be some sort of invalid.”

“Not at all, dear,” smiled Ron sheepishly, standing up to follow them out. “I’ll be right back.”

“Take your time,” nodded Luna. “Good luck, Harry.”

“Thanks,” he smiled, as the three of them exited.

“Good luck mate,” said Ron, clapping Harry on the shoulder. “Something tells me you’re gonna need it.”

“Oh, and I don’t get wished luck?” pouted Hermione.

“You too,” grinned Ron. “Take care of him now.”

“Always,” smiled Hermione.

“Hey, I’m a big boy,” Harry pointed out. Ron looked him up and down for a moment.

“Nah,” he smiled. “Not really.”

“Prat,” laughed Harry as he mounted his Firebolt and took to the skies, Hermione right on his tail.

---------------

I don’t have a backstory to my little ‘phrase’ this week, so here it is.

The only thing that defines how good a person is, is how much they’re willing to sacrifice for others.

The important thing about this is to never take the people you care about for granted...always go that tiny extra distance to make their lives slightly happier.

And again, I’m extremely sorry about the lateness/fillerness. You have my word that next week’s chapter will be action packed and on time. ;)

Until next time!

17. The Black Island

A hearty greeting to you all this week. It is my displeasure to relate to all of you that this story is probably going to be shorter than I anticipated, maybe only another 9 or 10 chapters. For now, enjoy!

And I’m sorry for getting this out two days late...

---------------

Chapter 17: The Black Island

Harry gazed out at the black waters below him from atop his broom, a chilly breeze fluttering around his head, the only light coming from the waning moon.

“Have you ever been to Azkaban?” called Hermione from her ride.

“No,” replied Harry, flying over next to her so the tails of their brooms were touching. “I’ve heard stories from Remus...Sirius didn’t really talk about it that much.”

“For a good reason, I suppose,” sighed Hermione. “We should be there in about ten minutes.”

“Good,” said Harry. “It’s starting to get light...and I don’t want anything to see us land on that island.”

“You think people will still be there?” asked Hermione.

“I think something might be there,” replied Harry, shuddering at the thought of having to cast his patronus again.

“I don’t think dementors will be there,” said Hermione, reading his mind. “They’ve been breeding somewhere else...and there isn’t any of that strange mist around.”

“I suppose that’s true,” muttered Harry.

“I wish it wasn’t so bloody cold though,” shivered Hermione as they passed through a cloud.

“It’s not that bad,” smiled Harry slightly.

You are a male, and you have more bulk,” said Hermione grumpily. “You therefore do not get the shivers in chilly weather such as the fairer sex is prone to get.”

“How articulate,” chuckled Harry. “Here.”

With one deft move, he removed his cloak and carefully draped it over her shoulders, making sure to maintain his balance on the broom.

“Won’t you be cold?” asked Hermione.

“Nah,” said Harry, drawing in a shaky breath.

“Liar,” smiled Hermione. “There it is.”

A large, dark, and jagged mass could be seen rising from the smooth surface of the North Sea several kilometers ahead of them. The nearer they drew, more of the island’s features came into focus. There were no beaches, just cliffs that separated the water from the land. No trees were on the island, only an old castle perched on top that occupied almost all of the space available. Torn black pennants fluttered in the wind from atop the main tower, a testament to the age of the building.

“Azkaban,” muttered Harry.

“Where should we land?” asked Hermione.

“The only place we can land,” he replied, pointing to a small, open area just outside the gates.

Quietly, the two of them descended to their destination, the sole sound being that of the waves crashing against the rocks as they each landed on the hard dirt.

“So how should we proceed?” asked Hermione as she and Harry shrunk down their brooms and placed them in their pockets.

“Cautiously,” replied Harry, gripping his wand.

They ventured forth, pausing at the destroyed trestle to make sure it wasn’t being guarded before continuing on into the interior of the fortress.

“Cor, it smells rotten in here,” breathed Harry, the sound of their footsteps echoing throughout the spacious hallway.

“Well, thousands of people have died in this castle,” replied Hermione disdainfully.

“Where are we supposed to start looking for whatever we’re looking for?” asked Harry.

“I haven’t the foggiest,” said Hermione. “We probably won’t find anything in the cells, so let’s start in the courtyard, I guess.”

“I can see why people would go mad in here,” said Harry as they walked. “It’s like all the life has been sucked out of this place.”

“Literally,” commented Hermione as they reached open air once again.

“You know that reminds me,” said Harry. “This quest is supposedly thousands of years old, right?”

“Mmhmm,” nodded Hermione as they started looking around the courtyard.

The grass was long and brown, all traces of life having vanished from it. Four cracked and broken stone benches occupied each of the four sides of the area, and in the middle stood a dried up fountain with moss growing on it.

“Well, this prison can’t have been around for that long, can it?”

“It wasn’t always just a prison,” said Hermione, examining one of the benches. “Originally it was muggle labor camp used back before we had the Ministry.”

“A muggle labor camp?” asked Harry. “What could you possibly manufacture on this god-forsaken rock?”

“Exactly that,” nodded Hermione. “Rock. For the castles of nobles, I would assume.”

“Slave labor,” commented Harry. “Lovely.”

“The only good emotion one could have in a place like this is hope, hence why we’re here,” shrugged Hermione, walking over to the fountain.

“So why a castle, then?” asked Harry. “I mean, why go through the effort of building something this massive, let alone with something that looks like it used to be a reasonably nice courtyard?”

“I imagine the masters wanted to be able to live in the luxury they were accustomed to,” she replied. “Have a look at this.”

Harry crouched next to her and stared at the faded inscription on the rock.

Libertus Cubitus Per Carcerus

“What does it mean?” he asked

“Freedom rests with the jailer,” said Hermione, standing up. “Or something of the sort, my Latin is a little rusty.”

“So how does that help us?” asked Harry.

“Well, assuming that this does refer to the quest, I would assume that freedom was the only hope anyone who entered the cells of this place would have left,” replied Hermione. “And since Azkaban wasn’t always guarded by dementors, I would also assume that the ‘jailer’ means the warden.”

“So we go find the warden’s quarters, then?” asked Harry.

“At least it’s something to go on,” nodded Hermione as they walked back into the castle. “I imagine that in the older days, prisoners would’ve been kept in the dungeons, so we should probably start looking down there.”

Harry nodded as they walked around, looking for a set of stairs that would lead them into the depths of the castle.

“I wonder why they went to so much trouble to protect the four points,” commented Harry. “I mean, the bracelet seemed protected enough by the Sorting Hat, so why protect everything else?”

“Basic rule of strategy,” replied Hermione. “Don’t just protect the key or the chest, protect both.”

“What does that mean?” asked Harry.

“Well think about it,” replied Hermione. “If you hid the key, but left the chest unguarded, someone could find the chest, and with reasonable skill and luck, break into it, making the key useless. It’s the same with these points of power.”

“So the logic is that someone might’ve been able to find them and somehow get whatever it is they hold and use it for themselves?”

“Something like that,” replied Hermione, as they reached an old wooden door. Walking up to it, she swung it open to reveal a set of stairs descending into the lower levels of the fortress.

“I doubt this place has been visited in years, from the looks of it,” said Hermione, holding her wand aloft for light.

“They wouldn’t have kept prisoners down here?” asked Harry.

“When the dementors came under the Ministry’s employ over two centuries ago, the use of these cells was forbidden,” she explained. “I suppose it was the government’s way of trying to not be ‘cruel and unusual,’ because anyone who had to endure dementors without a decent sea breeze would’ve died within days.”

“Makes sense,” nodded Harry as they reached the bottom of the stairs. “Ugh, it smells worse down here than it does up there.”

“And for good reason,” grimaced Hermione, pointing at one of the cells, which to Harry’s dismay, wasn’t empty.

“Oh, rotting corpses,” said Harry with false lightheartedness. “Just lovely.”

“That’s not all,” said Hermione worriedly, holding up her arm to stop Harry’s progress.

“What is it, love?” asked Harry, concern etched on his brow.

“Look at that one’s hand,” whispered Hermione, pointing at another corpse in a cell up on the right.

Harry had to squint in the fading light, but sure enough, he could see the fingers on the body’s hand twitching ever so slightly.

“Inferi...” he muttered. “I swear, every-bloody-where I go...”

“We’re going to be in trouble if they attack us,” said Hermione.

“Not if...when,” stated Harry. “Can you conjure up a big ring of fire?”

“No,” replied Hermione. “Just those blue flames I used to make for you, me, and Ron in our early years.

“What’s the strongest Flame-Freezing charm you know?” asked Harry after a moment of thought.

“Um...the Cocoon of Blue Death,” replied Hermione. “I think you said Dumbledore cast it on Voldemort during the battle at the Ministry.”

Harry cast his mind back to that fateful day and could still vividly see Voldemort incased in a cell of water, struggling for breath just before escaping and taking Bellatrix with him.

“Do you know the counter for it?” asked Harry.

“Of course,” nodded Hermione. “Why?”

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw one of the Inferi move its arm.

“Those blue flames,” he said, conjuring a glass jar.

“Yes?” asked Hermione.

“Fill it to the brim,” he said, holding it out for her. With an inquisitive glance, she tapped her wand on the rim of the glass, and blue flames instantly sprouted from her wand and settled gently in the container.

“Harry...what are you doing?” asked Hermione, as he waved his wand in a flourish, causing a thick, black liquid to pour from the end of it.

“Lighting this place on fire,” he replied. “When Dumbledore and I were attacked last year, he made this gigantic circle of flames that drove them all away...but I don’t know how to cast that, so we’re going to have to make do with what we have.”

“The ceiling might cave in from the heat,” said Hermione.

“Then we better put out the fire once the inferi are dead,” said Harry.

“You mean destroyed,” corrected Hermione. “And oil fires aren’t the easiest to put out.”

“Yes, yes,” said Harry impatiently, as one of the inferi rose to its feet. “Get ready to cast that charm.”

“I’m ready,” replied Hermione, as several of the undead started to advance on them.

“Do it right after I cast my spell,” said Harry. “Ready...”

Hermione grabbed Harry’s free hand quickly as one of the inferi growled at them.

“Incendio!” Harry bellowed just as Hermione cried out, “Aquas Dormens!”

Harry and Hermione were instantly enveloped in a globe of water, and Harry found himself struggling for air while the flames roared outside them, the inferi writhing as they were being burned.

Seconds seemed an eternity to Harry as with each passing moment he found himself with a greater need for oxygen than before. Trying not to struggle too much, he squeezed Hermione’s hand, trying to convey his need for air.

A second later the cocoon was gone, and Harry found himself panting on all fours, trying desperately to fill his lungs as Hermione was attempting to put the fire out.

“Give me a hand here!” she shouted, as some of the old wooden frames on the doors began to crackle and burn.

“Finite,” choked out Harry, and instantly the flames vanished, the smoldering remains of the inferi all that was left of the fire.

“...I didn’t know that worked,” said Hermione, giving Harry a hand up.

“I didn’t either,” he replied. “Just figured I’d give it a try.”

“Dumbledore taught you well,” chuckled Hermione. “Well let’s move on, I sincerely hope we don’t have to deal with any more of those while we’re here.”

“Knowing my luck, we’ll probably end up with something worse,” muttered Harry.

“Let’s try and not be so pessimistic,” chastised Hermione, as they reached a large oak door at the end of the hall. “This must be it.”

“Be careful,” said Harry as Hermione made to open the door.

“Aren’t I always?” she asked with a smile.

Harry stood back with his wand held at arm’s length as Hermione swung the door open, both of them expecting some form of trap to present itself.

Instead, nothing happened. Just a cloud of dust and some rats that went scurrying on by them.

“That was...uneventful,” said Harry, lowering his wand slightly

“Tell me about it,” nodded Hermione, coughing.

They both peered inside the room cautiously, wands aloft to provide light.

It seemed like it had, at one point, been a very nice place to reside. A now cracked and cobweb-covered old-fashioned four poster was sitting in the near right hand corner of the room. A cold and dark fireplace was positioned in the left wall with a very old Union Jack hanging above it, and in the center of the room, was what they presumed to be the warden’s desk.

With the decaying warden sitting behind it.

“You don’t think he’s gonna attack us too?” asked Harry.

Wordlessly, Hermione flicked her wand and a soft, golden mist fluttered from the end of it, flying directly at the warden and hitting him square in the face.

“Nope,” replied Hermione with a sigh of relief. “He’s good and dead.”

“Glad to hear it,” nodded Harry. “Let’s investigate.”

“You know,” commented Hermione, as they walked inside and started looking around the room. “This is an awful nice set of quarters for a warden.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” replied Harry. “It’s kinda like he was being treated specially.”

“Maybe he was more special than some people let on,” intoned Hermione. “Like he was guarding something maybe.”

“We’re on the same page,” smiled Harry, moving around to check the drawers of the warden’s desk.

“Careful now,” said Hermione as Harry made to move the chair the warden was resting in.

“I will be,” replied Harry just as he slid the chair a little bit and the warden’s arm fell off.

“Harry,” groaned Hermione.

“Sorry...” he grimaced, before turning to the warden. “Sorry to you too, mate.”

“Let’s just get on with this, shall we?”

“Hey, take a gander at this,” said Harry a moment later, having removed some pieces of parchment from the warden’s desk.

“What are they?” asked Hermione, coming over.

“Letters,” he replied. “See how it’s addressed?”

“To the Northern Guard,” read Hermione. “Well, that could mean anything, really.”

“Read the rest of it.”

“Hmm...something about food rations, prisoners, etcetera,” commented Hermione, skimming over the letter. “The other three guards have taken their positions and are ready to commit to the protection. Send word when you are also ready.”

“Seems a bit cagey to me,” commented Harry.

“I agree,” nodded Hermione. “But unfortunately that doesn’t bring us any closer to finding where we need to go, so for the time being let’s keep searching.”

“Alright,” said Harry, pocketing the letters just in case.

“This is getting bloody frustrating,” said Hermione, a few minutes later. “Why can’t these things ever be easy?”

“Actually, I think I just found something,” said Harry, motioning Hermione over to him. “Look.”

Carved into the wall behind the warden were the simple words, ‘God Save the King.’

“You don’t suppose that refers to the king, do you?” asked Harry.

“Only one way to find out,” replied Hermione, aiming her wand at the wall. “Revealio.”

A rectangular section of the stone, large enough for a human to walk through, turned to a gentle blue color before returning to its normal gray a moment later.

“I guess we have our answer,” said Harry with a lopsided smile.

“Who disturbs the royal prison?!”

Harry and Hermione spun on the spot, wands aloft, but nothing was there.

“Who’s there?” shouted Harry. “Show yourself!”

And suddenly, a translucent image appeared before them.

“The warden?” asked Hermione in astonishment.

“What’s left o’ me,” the specter spoke. Indeed, Harry thought he looked much worse for the wear, given the ghost’s sunken face and torn clothes. “Who be ye?”

“Erm...Harry Potter and Hermione Granger,” replied Harry.

“And what be ye wantin’ with the passageway?”

“We’re on a quest,” said Hermione

“What kind o’ quest?” asked the warden.

“That’s our concern,” interjected Harry, before Hermione could speak.

“Well listen up, laddie,” the ghost said. “That there be a sacred place, only those chosen may enter. It is my sworn duty to protect the entrance from those who would...do no good.”

“Quite admirable,” commented Harry.

“So your quest is my concern now,” said the ghost. “Because it’s my charge to kill those who would try and force entry...and don’t try nuthin’ funny.”

“What does this mean to you?” asked Harry, holding up his wrist so that the bracelet was visible.

The ghost’s eyes widened visibly at the circlet, and he promptly dropped his head in a bow.

“Your majesty,” whispered the ghost. “Begging your pardon.”

“You are pardoned,” nodded Harry. “Could you please let us down there?”

“Of course, m’lord.”

With a quick wave from the ghost’s fingers, there was a loud rumble and the stone that had glowed blue disappeared, leaving a set of stairs descending even further into the island.

“It is good to see the return of a king of light,” said the ghost, causing Harry to turn back to him. “May you be successful in your pilgrimage.”

And with that he was gone.

“Well that was certainly interesting,” said Harry, taking a breath. “Ladies first.”

“Why thank you, m’lord,” chuckled Hermione, walking past him and starting down the stairs.

They walked for what seemed like hours, going further and further down until Harry was sure they were under the sea. Finally the stairs ended and the floor became level, expanding into a long corridor.

“What is it?” asked Harry, holding his wand aloft to light the hall.

“A tunnel of some kind,” replied Hermione. “Look, there are unlit torches in the brackets on the walls.”

She performed a quick charm and lit the ones closest to her, the stone hall brightening before them.

“Well, let’s get on with it then,” she said, taking a step forward.

“Wait!” hissed Harry, grabbing her arm. Hermione turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow. “Look.”

Hermione turned to look at where Harry was pointing, and saw several tall but thin slits in the wall to their left. Quickly, Harry conjured a stone and tossed it a little way down the hall. The rock bounced several times before coming to a rest a few meters away.

“Guess I was blowing steam,” shrugged Harry. “Better to be caref –”

There was a clanking from above them and suddenly many razor sharp sheaves of metal flew from the slits and hit the wall on the right with loud pings.

“Traps,” muttered Hermione, holding her wand out at arm’s length. “I’m glad I know about this spell.”

“What spell?” asked Harry, as she twirled her wand once and muttered a word he didn’t hear.

“Avonerum,” replied Hermione. “It turns my wand into a sneakoscope that only detects traps.”

“You are brilliant, you know that?” smiled Harry.

“Don’t thank me quite yet,” cautioned Hermione. “It’ll be able to find traps in the walls and ceiling, but not in the floor.”

“Why not?” asked Harry.

“Flaws in the spell,” shrugged Hermione. “It was the best I could find of its type.”

“It’s better than nothing,” nodded Harry. “Let’s keep moving.”

Harry and Hermione passed the fallen blades carefully, making sure not to step on them in case they were also cursed. They continued down the hall until they reached an intersection, with two more passageways leading to both the left and right.

“What the bloody hell?” asked Harry to no one in particular, staring down the corridor on the right.

“It’s a labyrinth,” said Hermione looking around carefully. “Traps, intersections...”

“So how do we find...where we’re supposed to be going?” asked Harry.

“Now you should know the answer to that,” smirked Hermione, laying her wand flat in her hand. “Point me.” Her wand spun in her palm, pointing slightly to the left when it came to a stop. “Hope is North after all.”

“Forgive me if I try to block out memories from the night Voldemort was reborn,” said Harry arching an eyebrow at her.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that,” apologised Hermione quickly.

“I know you didn’t,” smiled Harry gently, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Let’s get moving.”

They continued on for some time, occasionally pausing to get their heading again, being extremely careful to avoid the many traps that were meant to end their lives.

Eventually, they reached a junction where their only choices were left or right, and Hermione’s wand was pointing directly at the wall in front of them.

“Well, I suppose we should just choose one,” shrugged Hermione, looking around.

“Let’s go right,” said Harry.

“Any particular reason?” asked Hermione as they set off down the corridor.

“Just a feeling,” he replied.

Within moments they ran into a hallway on their left that would let them continue in a northern direction, but Harry paused at the intersection and peered around.

“Something’s not right here,” said Harry, looking down the new hall. “There aren’t any holders for torches in here like everywhere else...”

“My wand isn’t detecting anything,” said Hermione.

“Probably just another way of testing us,” said Harry. “Making us continue on in the dark and all.”

“Wait,” said Hermione nervously. “I’m not so sure about this.”

“How come?” asked Harry.

“Just a feeling,” replied Hermione. “I think we should keep going straight.”

“What if there’s a clue in here though,” said Harry, taking a step inside. “We have to be thorough.”

“I suppose,” replied Hermione hesitantly. “Let’s just be really careful, okay?”

Harry took a few cautious steps into the hall, pausing after each to make sure there was nothing out of place.

“I have a really bad feeling about this,” said Hermione.

“I’ll be careful,” said Harry, taking another step.

He heard the fall of a latch a split second too late.

The floor fell out from under Harry, the rush of wind as he fell and the terrified scream of Hermione the last things he heard before darkness overtook him.

---------------

Given some of the events that have happened recently in my life, I thought this little bit was quite appropriate.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

For example, don’t expect to win the lottery. Hope to win the lottery. The same is true for everything else in life, even the things that shorter odds than winning the lottery.

Never underestimate an author to have something up his/her sleeve. I promise to have the next chapter out on time, I can’t leave all of you hanging like that after all lol. Don’t forget to throw a review my way! Until next time!

18. Escape from Perdition

Well, despite having about ten reviews on the first three days, I ended up with almost 40 for last chapter, and that was a great gift. But there was another great thing that happened, so give me a moment to shout it out.

500 REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Yay for 500 reviews. Thank you all so much for continuing to be faithful to this story! ::hugs and hand-pounds::

---------------

Chapter 18: Escape from Perdition

“Harry...”

The peaceful sound of waves falling against a smooth, white beach entered Harry’s mind, and he struggled to open his eyes.

“Harry...”

“Who’s there?” he called out, finally regaining his sight.

“It’s me, darling,” replied the voice...one he recognised as Hermione’s.

“Where are you?” he asked, scanning the beach. Suddenly he saw her standing not fifty feet in front of him with her back turned. She was wearing a white bikini with a sheer sarong tied to her side, and a purple orchid in her hair...Harry had never seen her more beautiful.

“I’m glad you’re here,” she said. “I was scared.”

“Of what?” asked Harry, trying to walk over to her.”

“He’s trying to take me away.”

“Voldemort?” asked Harry.

Suddenly a loud cackle filled the air and Hermione glanced over her shoulder at him.

“I have to go now,” she said softly.

“Hermione,” whispered Harry as she started drifting out towards the sea. “Hermione!”

“You’ll lose her too Potter, just like you’ve lost everyone else,” called Voldemort as she began to fade from sight.

“No...” breathed Harry.

“She. Will. Die.”

“HERMIONE!” screamed Harry, his eyes flying open.

A brilliant white light blinded him, forcing him to shut his eyes again very quickly. Realizing it was the pendant around his neck, he tucked it back in his shirt, reducing the light to a soft glow. Blinking the spots out of his eyes, he strained to remember how he ended up on his back.

Suddenly, from many, many, meters above him, he heard the distinct echo of what sounded like muffled sobs.

Rising to his feet, he took a deep breath.

“Hermione!” bellowed Harry. He listened intently for several seconds after the echo died for any response but none came. “Damnit it’s too far,” he muttered, before an idea suddenly came to him. “Sonorus,” he said, pointing his wand at his throat. “HERMIONE!”

He waited for a few seconds before he heard her respond.

“Harry?!” she called, obviously using the same charm as he. “Are you alright?”

“FINE!” he yelled. “CAN YOU GET ME BACK UP?!”

“No,” replied Hermione. “There’s some sort of spell barrier blocking me from using magic.”

‘You can catch her,’ a soft voice said.

“I’M SORRY?” asked Harry, scaring himself with the volume of his voice. “I’m sorry?” he whispered.

‘You can catch her,’ the voice repeated. Again, Harry looked down to the pendant and saw it glowing softly. It took him all of five seconds to make up his mind.

“JUMP!” he yelled up to Hermione.

“Jump?” she echoed. “Are you bloody barking mad?”

“I’LL CATCH YOU!” answered Harry. “TRUST ME!”

“Harry James Potter...I swear you better catch me,” said Hermione.

“I WILL!” yelled Harry. “JUMP!”

He heard Hermione yell his name as she jumped. He put his arms out to catch her, and was pleasantly surprised when she descended slowly into view, as if being lowered by a string. Catching her in his arms, Harry gently put her down next to him with a smile.

“SEE?!” he bellowed, startling them both. “Quietus,” he muttered.

“You can be a bit thick at times, can’t you,” smiled Hermione, having removed the charm on herself.

“Sorry about that,” replied Harry sheepishly. Without another word, Hermione threw herself into his arms and squeezed him tightly.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again,” she whispered, her face still damp from fresh tears.

“I know,” said Harry. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright,” replied Hermione. “You’re fine...that’s what matters.”

“So where do you suppose we ended up?” asked Harry.

“Wherever we are, we’re a league and a half below where we were before,” commented Hermione facetiously, lighting her wand. “I reckon we should try and figure out where we need to go from here.”

“That all depends on where ye want to go.”

Harry and Hermione spun around, wands drawn, only to come face to face with the ghost of the warden.

“Only the king could’ve survived that fall...the enchantments in place saved ye,” said the warden.

“Enchantments?” asked Harry.

“Look at yer feet, lad.”

Harry and Hermione looked down, to find themselves standing...nay, floating about an inch over quite a few foot-long steel spikes.

“How did I make it, then?” asked Hermione.

“Well, ye do have part of the king in ya,” smiled the warden.

“I’m sorry?” asked Hermione, both her and Harry reddening.

“His heart, lass, ye have his heart,” snorted the warden. “Now c’mon. I’ll show ye the way.”

“How come you didn’t show up before?” asked Harry.

“Wasn’t my job,” said the warden. “I mean, after all, anyone could’ve had that bracelet. Those traps were designed to test ye.”

“I see,” said Hermione skeptically.

“I should forewarn ye, though,” said the warden. “I think they went a little overboard protectin’ what yer seeking.”

“Who’s they?” asked Harry.

“Dun remember his name,” replied the warden. “Some famous lord...did a whole bunch of great things though, started a big school down in Scotland from what I heard.”

“Gryffindor?” asked Hermione.

“Tha’s the one,” nodded the warden. Harry and Hermione each exchanged a look. “Anyways like I said, it’s my personal opinion that he went a bit overboard on protectin’ this place.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Harry. “And why did he protect it so much?”

“Well hope’s one of the most powerful emotions, innit?” asked the warden. “I hear it can do some powerful things when used properly.”

“Is it just me, or is it getting really hot in here?” asked Hermione as they continued walking.

“Tha’s what I was talking about,” said the warden, as they turned a corner. A soft red glow greeted them several meters ahead.

“Um...am I really sure I want to know what that is?” asked Harry.

“I doubt it,” replied the warden. “But ye are the king after all, so ye should be able to kill it.”

“Kill what?” asked Hermione as they turned the corner.

They stood before an enormous cavern, a hundred meters high, and another hundred deep, at the bottom of which swirled a quite menacing-looking whirlpool of lava. In front of them was a small bridge made of stone, not more than two feet wide, that led out onto a platform that was suspended over the lava by three great chains and the bridge.

“That,” pointed the warden.

Sleeping peacefully on the platform was a massive beast with three heads.

“What the hell is that?” whispered Harry fervently. “It looks like Fluffy with wings.”

“Fluffy?” asked the warden.

“Cerberus,” replied Hermione.

“Oh that’s no doggy, lad,” smiled the warden. “That there’s a chimera.”

“I suppose it breathes fire, then?” asked Hermione

“Sure thing,” replied the warden.

“You have got to be kidding,” said Harry.

“I don’t kid,” shrugged the warden. “Anyways, when you beat that thing the pedestal will show itself to you.”

“And how exactly am I supposed to beat it?” asked Harry

“How would I know?” asked the warden with a slight hint of mirth in his voice.

Harry sighed and shrugged off his robe, letting it fall to his feet.

“I’m coming with you,” said Hermione, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“No,” replied Harry, covering her hand with his. “I need you here.”

“Why?” she asked.

“Two reasons,” said Harry. “The first is that I’m going to want you to provide cover fire if I should need it. The second is I won’t be able to fight if you’re in danger.”

“Alright,” she sighed. “What do you want me to do?”

“Keep me alive,” smiled Harry. He took a step out onto the bridge to make sure it was safe, before continuing out to the platform. He continued towards the beast carefully, attempting to get close enough to inflict damage before it woke. Unfortunately he kicked a loose pebble and it went bouncing around noisily before coming to a rest next to the lion head.

The lion cracked an eye open and blinked twice before yawning. The snake and goat heads followed suit and the chimera rose to its feet, towering over Harry menacingly.

“Well, you’re a bit big,” commented Harry, trying to think of a way out of the mess he was in. “Where’s Hagrid when I need him?”

The lion let out a massive roar, spittle flying onto Harry’s clothes and face.

“How pleasant,” frowned Harry, quickly cleaning himself with a charm.

The goat sniffed once before opening its mouth in what Harry though was a yawn. The air turning wavy with heat changed his mind though, and he dived to his left just in time to avoid the massive fireball that was spewed at him.

“Stupefy!” yelled Harry, willing to try anything to slow the chimera down. The spell glanced off the beast just as he had expected, however, and he was left dodging another wave of fire.

“Watch out for the snake, Harry!” yelled Hermione. Harry spun around just in time to see the snake lunging for him, and he once again was forced to dive out of the way.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered. “How am I supposed to beat this thing?”

The goat fired another ball of flame at Harry, which he dodged. The fireball hit one of the chains holding the platform up, exploding on impact, and causing the metal to snap, the platform giving a tremendous lurch to the left as a result.

“It’s just like the effing first task,” grumbled Harry. “If only I had my Firebolt...wait a second.”

Quickly fishing around in his pockets while the beast regained its balance, he found his broom and enlarged it, just as one of the monstrous claws took a swipe at him, missing by centimeters.

Flying up to the ceiling of the cavern, he looked down at the chimera which was getting ready to come up and meet him.

“Come on...come on beastie,” urged Harry, waiting patiently.

The chimera spread its vast wings and took off after him, Harry darting out of the way just in time to avoid the lion biting his head off. Having worked out his plan of attack, he flew straight at one of the remaining two chains holding up the platform.

Just as he hoped, the goat charged another fireball and spewed it at him, Harry flying out of the way and letting it destroy that chain as well, the platform now being precariously held up by the last chain and the stone bridge.

Screaming around the perimeter of the cavern, Harry sped towards Hermione and the warden, slowing down slightly when he got to them.

“When we get underneath, destroy the bridge!” he yelled quickly, speeding away once he saw Hermione acknowledge him. Taking a deep breath, he spun the broom upside-down and dove towards the lava, the chimera hot on his tail.

Flying underneath the platform, he saw Hermione draw her wand and point it at the bridge. Seeing his chance, he drew his wand and aimed it at the last chain, yelling, “Sectumsempra!” just as Hermione yelled the same.

Harry’s spell hit just after Hermione’s did, and both the chain and the bridge snapped cleanly. The platform began falling towards the lava below, and just as Harry hoped for, landed squarely on top of the beast which, giving a loud roar, was dragged down to the fiery depths.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Harry looked up to see a blue pedestal reveal itself above where one of the chains was anchored into the wall of the cavern. Flying over to it, he quickly took the sapphire from his robes and put his wrist inside the hole at the base, feeling the magic swirl around his hand.

Withdrawing it a moment later, he saw that the three runes to the right of the diamond ones were now sapphires, and the stone in his hand had turned to onyx.

‘You have done well, Harry Potter,’ the bracelet said.

“Thanks,” said Harry. “Now where?”

‘Your journey will end where it began, or near that spot in the least,’ replied the bracelet. ‘I bid thee well, Harry Potter. You will not hear from me again.’

“Wait!” exclaimed Harry, but it was too late. The bracelet’s presence had already left him.

“Harry!” screamed Hermione. He quickly looked down at her where she was standing away from the edge, the lava rising steadily towards her.

“Bollocks,” muttered Harry, flying towards her as fast as he could.

“You’ll have to hurry,” said the warden as Harry landed next to them and Hermione climbed on. “The moment you reach the room where you landed, that lava will really start chasing after you.”

“Thank you for your help,” nodded Harry, grabbing his robe from the ground.

“Thank you, milord,” said the warden. “Good luck.”

And with that he vanished.

“Let’s get the hell out of here,” said Harry, kicking off and speeding down the corridor, the lava beginning to creep up behind them.

“Hurry, Harry,” said Hermione. “It’s closing on us.”

“Hold on real tight here,” said Harry as spikes started to appear under their feet. “Now!”

With one strong pull, Harry turned the broom vertical and they sped upwards, through the pit where Harry had fallen, towards the labyrinth.

“I hope you remember how we got here!” called Harry. Hermione nodded wordlessly against his back, the wind rushing loudly past them. Seeing the flicker of torches ahead, Harry got ready to straighten the broom.

“Head left,” yelled Hermione. Harry nodded and spun the broom around, straightening it out just as they reached the top, bumping against the ceiling as they sped off through the maze.

“Oh bollocks,” said Harry, turning around and seeing now a rushing river of molten rock quickly closing on them.

“Right!” yelled Hermione, Harry turning just in time, the tail of his broom hitting the wall.

They continued on through the maze at top speed until finally Harry recognised the entrance hallway with the stairs at the end.

“Tuck your arms in!” he yelled, accelerating towards it. With no hesitation, Harry flew into the narrow corridor, up the stairs, through the warden’s office, the dungeon, and the courtyard, flying out into the dawning sky, the lava consuming the island in a fiery mass as they flew away.

“Never a dull moment with you, is there?” smiled Hermione as they slowed down.

“I like to think I bring something to the party,” countered Harry as Hermione took her broom from her pocket and enlarged it. “Although that was a bit much, even for me.”

“I would hope so,” replied Hermione, mounting her broom and hovering next to Harry. “So where now? We need to get provisions for the camp.”

“I’d say Diagon Alley,” said Harry, as they began to fly back towards the mainland. “The Ministry would help us, but it’s not like they have food stockpiled.”

“I don’t know about you, but I don’t have enough money on me to supply a school’s worth of people,” said Hermione.

“So we’ll go to Gringott’s first,” said Harry. “The goblins won’t say anything, they don’t meddle in human affairs.”

“Alright,” conceded Hermione. “We’ll apparate as soon as we reach land...it’s not smart to apparate while flying, we might splinch ourselves.”

Harry nodded as they flew on, looking down at the bracelet as they did so.

“What did it tell you?” asked Hermione.

“That my journey would end where it began,” replied Harry. “But it can’t mean Privet Drive, that’s in the south and evil is supposed to be in the west.”

“We’ll figure it out in due time,” said Hermione. “Right now we need to concentrate on getting back.”

“Agreed,” replied Harry.

They flew in comfortable silence for a while before they reached land, at which point they descended to the beach and dismounted, shrinking their brooms and placing them in their pockets.

“The Leaky Cauldron has an apparition point on its roof,” said Hermione. “Let’s head there.”

“See you in a few,” nodded Harry. “Remember to move out of the way after you arrive.”

“Of course,” smiled Hermione, disappearing a moment later.

Harry waited for ten seconds before following after her, feeling the familiar squeezing sensation and appearing on the roof of the Leaky Cauldron next to Hermione a moment later.

“Hey,” he said brushing himself off. “Everything alright?”

“No...” whispered Hermione. “Look.”

Harry turned to look out on Diagon Alley and was stunned to see smoke rising from several of the buildings, and many of the storefront windows smashed in.

“Bollocks,” muttered Harry, flinging the door open and running downstairs, Hermione following quickly behind him.

“Be careful,” said Hermione, as they descended into the pub.

It looked like a massive brawl had taken place. Chairs were overturned, drinks were spilled, and two of the tables were broken, splinters of wood lying all over the place.

“My word,” muttered Harry. “What the hell happened in here?”

“Harry?” came a nervous voice from right. “Harry Potter?”

“Tom?” called Harry, hurrying over towards him. “What the hell happened?”

“They came, the death eaters,” he said, appearing from behind the bar. “Broke through into Diagon Alley and pillaged the place.”

“Do you have any supplies?” asked Harry quickly. “Anything that the death eaters didn’t take?”

“The death eaters didn’t take anything,” replied Tom. “Just went straight into town.”

“Do you have food left?” asked Hermione.

“Sure,” replied Tom. “I received a shipment right before the attack, so I’ve got a lot of excess food and drink that’ll go bad unless it’s used.”

“Tom, I don’t have any money on me right now,” said Harry. “But I swear to you, let us have everything, and I promise I’ll pay you back the moment this war is over.”

“You don’t need to pay me back,” said Tom. “Just get me the hell out of here.” Harry nodded.

“Hermione, you and Tom shrink all the supplies and get them ready to go,” he said. “I’m going into town to get medical supplies.”

“There’s nothing left, Harry,” said Tom. “You won’t find anything.”

“I have to try,” he said. “If I’m not back within twenty minutes, take off. I’ll catch up.”

“You better not get captured,” said Hermione. “Or I’ll never forgive you.”

“I’ll be fine,” smiled Harry, quickly giving her a chaste kiss on the lips. “See you soon.” Without another word he ran off.

Running through the already open archway, he quickly made his way to Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes, which, as he expected, was one of the few stores that appeared to have sustained no damage.

“Fred?” he called out, entering the store. “George?”

“Harry?” asked Fred, poking his head out from the one of the side doors. Quickly he and George appeared, wands drawn. “Prove it’s you.”

Searching around in his robes, Harry produced the Gringotts Transaction receipt that Fred had given him on the day of Fleur and Bill’s wedding.

“Good to see you mate,” smiled Fred, lowering his wand. “Now then, what brings you around? Surely you’re not just here to say hello, what with both Hogwarts and the Alley being sacked.”

“I need supplies,” said Harry, walking over to the door that held the corridor to the hidden potions room. “We need medical supplies really badly at the camp.”

“Good thing we have our potions then,” said George, opening the door for Harry, the three of them hurrying down to the lab.

“What do you have?” asked Harry.

“This vat is the Draught of Restoration,” said Fred, pointing at one to the left. “Most powerful revitalizing potion known to wizard-kind.”

“We’ve got just about everything,” continued George. “Pepper-up Potions, Skele-gro, Dreamless Sleep Draughts, whatever you need, we have it.”

“I need it all,” said Harry. “How quickly can you have it bottled up and ready to ship?”

“Now, if you want,” replied Fred, drawing his wand. With a flourish, hundreds of empty bottles flew off the shelves and lined themselves up on conveyor belts on the machines. Hoses flew out of the machines and instantly filled the bottles with their respective potions, the bottles flying safely into crates once they were filled.

“You two are bloody brilliant,” said Harry, once the last crate was sealed.

“We know,” replied Harry. “We need to shrink these so I can carry them back.”

“You?” asked Fred. “We’re coming with you mate.”

“What about the store?” asked Harry.

“What, like we’re getting any business right now?” joked George. “If we kept death eaters out once, we can do it again.”

“You have no idea how much this means to me you guys,” said Harry as they shrunk the crates and pocketed them.

“Ah, don’t worry about it,” replied Fred as they made their way back up to the main level of the store. “We still owe you for this place to begin with.”

“I hope you don’t intend to use that as an excuse for my entire life,” said Harry. “I mean, just because I funded the store doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to get one of the old Weasley twin pranks once in a while.”

“Really?” asked George, an excited grin on his face.

“Er...maybe I’ll rethink that,” smiled Harry as they reached main area.

“Hold on one second,” said Fred, grabbing a sign that said, ‘WWW Party Packs, 3 for a Galleon.’

“What are you doing?” asked Harry, as Fred erased it.

“Putting up a new sign,” replied Fred, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. With a wave of his wand, a new message was written on the board.

Closed for business until You-Know-Who decides to stop being a pain in the arse.

Harry rolled his eyes as they hung it in the window and sprinted off towards the Leaky Cauldron.

“They’re going to make your death a slow and painful one, you know that right?” he asked as they ran.

“Nah, they’d have to catch us first,” smiled George. “And you of all people know what good escape artists we are.”

“Touche,” smiled Harry as they reached the pub.

“Thank god you’re back,” sighed Hermione, shrinking some crates.

“We’re you honestly worried about our mate, here?” grinned Fred as they entered the tavern.

“Fred!” exclaimed Hermione. “George? What are you two doing here?”

“Our boy here came to take advantage of our amazingness,” smiled Fred.

“Remember how Fred and George built that potions lab to automate potion making?” asked Harry.

“I don’t recall you mentioning that to me,” said Hermione, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, well they did,” nodded Harry, taking a crate from his pocket and enlarging it. “Have a look.”

Hermione opened the crate and her mouth dropped open.

“These...the Draught of Restoration?” asked Hermione. Fred and George nodded. “But...this is supposed to be incredibly hard to make!”

“It’s easier when you eliminate the chance of human error,” smiled George. “Now then, shall be we off? I hear there’s a camp that needs these supplies real bad.”

“Let’s get moving,” said Harry as they started making their way to the roof. “We shouldn’t linger here anyway.”

“Where are we apparating to?” asked Fred.

“The Forbidden Forest,” replied Harry. “The southern edge.”

“Alright everyone, let’s head out,” nodded George. “See you in a few.”

Harry nodded as Fred, George, and Tom all disappeared.

“We did well today,” said Harry, smiling at Hermione.

“That we did,” she smiled, hugging him. “Let’s get going.”

“Amen to that.”

And they disappeared with a soft pop.

---------------

A little short, I know, but I liked it.

Life is too short and has too many big swings to be sad. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt, because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.

And now, I have some bad news. Starting on the 9th of August, and lasting until AT LEAST the 16th, I will be on vacation in Indianapolis and upstate New York. I will do my best to have a chapter out in two weeks on the 18th, but I’m not making any promises involving that. I DO promise that it won’t be a month like it was the last time I took a vacation. So, until next time!

19. The Spy and the Snake

Well, I’m back. And a week late, I know, but I did warn that I might not be able to get this chapter out on time. Despite being bed-ridden with a nasty cold, my spirits are fairly high because while on vacation I was offered a job that has a set schedule. Which means, my time will be much more organized and as a result, I’ll be able to write more. But that’s all I’m saying for now lol.

Also, a lot of people are having questions about the Eternium and theories/concepts behind it. For obvious reasons, I can’t explain everything to do with it, but rest assured it does NOT make Harry all powerful...currently. Enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 19: The Spy and the Snake

A week had passed since Harry, Hermione, Fred, George, and Tom had arrived back at the camp. There wasn’t been a single person who hadn’t been affected by their return; the injured had benefitted amazingly from the Twins’ potions, the healthy reveled in Tom’s fantastic cooking, and those in the Order cheered at Harry and Hermione’s story of the events that transpired at Azkaban Isle.

“So now we can add ‘Legendary Beast-Slayer’ to ‘The Boy Who Lived’,” laughed Tonks after hearing the story for the third time.

Harry, Hermione, Tonks, Mad-Eye, Kingsley, and Remus (who was all better thanks to some of the potions Fred and George brought) were all having a butterbeer in Tonks and Remus’ tent one night after a long day of war plans and talk.

“Please don’t?” asked Harry nicely. “It’s bad enough having one title, I’m not sure I could handle another.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” smiled Hermione. “It does have a nice ring to it.”

“Cheers, darlin’,” grinned Tonks, toasting Hermione.

“You’ve awfully quiet throughout all of this, Alastor,” commented Kingsley. “Care to tell us why?”

“He’s just upset that he can’t find any flaws in Harry’s attack plan,” smiled Remus.

“Hmph,” grunted Moody, taking a swing from his hip flask. “Can’t a man just enjoy some drink and pleasurable company in silence?”

“Since when do you enjoy ‘pleasurable company’?” asked Tonks.

“War does that to a man,” responded Moody.

“Yeah, well, it’s getting late, and I have to return to my post,” sighed Kingsley, getting up.

“They still have you watching the PM?” asked Tonks, looking up at him.

“Yeah,” replied Kingsley, gathering his effects. “I feel bad for the poor bastard, he’s getting a worse rap than Fudge did and he isn’t even to blame for any of this.”

“Muggles,” grunted Moody. “So oblivious to everything that happens around them.”

“Aren’t we all?” asked Hermione.

“Touche,” replied Moody, getting up. “I should go too, I have guard duty.”

“We’ll be off then as well,” added Harry. “I’m sure you still have some ‘catching up’ to do.”

“And you don’t?” chuckled Remus, causing Hermione to blush slightly.

“Come now darling, what the children decide to do isn’t really any of our business, now is it?” asked Tonks, grinning.

“Perhaps not,” smiled Remus.

“We’ll be around,” nodded Hermione as she and Harry left the tent.

“It’s nice to be able to sit back and relax for a little bit, even with everything that’s happening in the outside world,” said Harry, as he and Hermione walked over to one of the smaller campfires.

“Yeah,” sighed Hermione as they sat down. “It’s hard to believe anyone could relax at all, but I suppose you have to be able in times like these.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Harry.

“Well, for everyone here, they know we all could be dead by sunrise,” said Hermione. “So every joke, every smile, every butterbeer...it all becomes a little celebration.”

“Because tonight could be their last night,” finished Harry, gazing at the jumping cinders.

“Right,” nodded Hermione, leaning against him.

“You two look awful cozy,” smiled Ron, coming over to them, Luna following slowly behind him, leaning on a crutch for support.

“Good to see you mate,” said Harry, returning the smile. “How are you feeling, Luna?”

“A lot better, thanks to Fred and George,” she said as Ron helped her to a seat next to Hermione. “Still very sore, though.”

“I can believe that,” nodded Harry. “We all really owe them so much.”

“And yet, they’re under the delusion that they’ll owe you until the end of time, Harry,” smiled Hermione.

“I’ll have to figure out some way to remedy that,” laughed Harry.

“So what do you all imagine doing after the war is over?” asked Luna.

“I’ll probably go and try to see a professional quidditch match,” said Ron with almost no hesitation. “Do something to get back into the flow of a normal world.”

“I – I haven’t really given it much thought,” said Hermione. “I’m concentrating on making sure Harry and I get that far.”

“True enough,” said Ron.

“I think I’d give a good portion of my money to some orphanages,” said Harry, causing Hermione, Ron, and Luna to turn and look at him.

“Really?” asked Luna.

“Yeah,” replied Harry. “I mean, after all of this, I feel like even though we’re in the middle of a war, there are kids out there who have it worse than we do...and besides, it’d be a little insurance to make sure another Voldemort doesn’t show up.”

“That’s really good of you,” smiled Hermione.

“Aye, mate,” nodded Ron.

“How are you doing Hermione?” asked Luna. “Any news on your parents?”

“No,” sighed Hermione, gazing into the fire. “No word yet.”

“I suppose we’d know if something happened?” asked Ron.

“Voldemort would probably parade their dead bodies down Diagon Alley for us to see if they were dead,” sighed Harry. At Hermione’s stricken look, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “Sorry luv, didn’t mean to make you think about that.”

Hermione said nothing, just continued to stare into the fire.

“How are the students doing?” asked Ron.

“Much better, thanks to your brothers,” said Harry, not letting go of Hermione. “No one’s died since we came back.”

“That’s good to hear,” said Ron. “Fred and George must be thrilled.”

“Actually, I think they’re spending most of their time advertising their products or trying to find students to test new ones on,” commented Luna thoughtfully.

“They’re what?” asked Hermione, turning to face her blond-haired friend.

“It’s true,” chuckled Luna lightly. “It seems to be helping morale...the students who are doing the testing are getting paid, and the ones who aren’t get to watch and have a good laugh.”

“You should see this one new thing they have, Hermione,” said Ron giddily. “It’s like this spray you’re supposed to put on the bottom of your shoes, and I don’t know how it works, but it’s supposed to make you hover and you’re supposed to be able to walk on the air and – ”

“Slow down Ronald,” smiled Luna, interrupting Ron. “You’re going to pass out from lack of oxygen.”

“Sorry,” said Ron sheepishly. “Anyway, it made this one bloke’s feet the size of beater bats. It actually worked on a different kid, but the moment he tried to take a step forward he fell flat on his arse.”

“Never a dull moment with Fred and George, eh?” chuckled Harry.

“Miss Lovegood,” called Madam Pomfrey from a few yards a way. “It’s time for your potion.”

“I suppose it is,” sighed Luna, as Ron got to his feet to help her stand. “Sorry to cut our conversation short.”

“Not at all,” smiled Hermione. “Just get better.”

“I’ll do my best,” said Luna, returning the smile as she and Ron walked off towards the nurse.

“Mind if we go for a walk?” asked Harry.

“Not at all,” said Hermione, getting up.

They walked for a little ways away from the camp before Harry rounded on Hermione and pressed her against a tree, crushing his lips to hers.

“What was that for?” asked Hermione breathlessly once Harry pulled away, her arms snaking around his neck.

“For being you,” replied Harry huskily, leaning his forehead against hers. “I’m so scared that something’s going to happen to you...and what with all these dreams I’ve been having...”

“What dreams?” asked Hermione.

“Dreams of you disappearing...or dying,” said Harry. “When I fell into that pit at Azkaban, I had one before I woke up.”

“Harry...” consoled Hermione, holding him tightly.

“You mean the world to me,” whispered Harry. “I need you in my life.”

Hermione pressed her lips to his passionately, the two of them leaning into each other, trying to make as much contact as humanly possible.

“Hermione,” breathed Harry, sliding his hand up her side, along the inside of her shirt.

“Harry...I want you,” whispered Hermione, her eyes dark with lust.

Harry stared at her for a moment before lifting her shirt up and over her head, cupping one of her breasts with his right hand as their lips reunited.

“You’re wearing entirely too much clothing,” said Hermione softly. “Off with it.”

“Hermione,” breathed Harry as she ran one of her hands down his stomach to the top of his trousers. “If we keep going like this, I might not be able to stop.”

“Good,” grinned Hermione seductively. She had her hands on the button of Harry’s pants when a scream from the direction of the camp reached their ears.

“Shit,” hissed Harry, quickly grabbing Hermione’s shirt from the grass and waiting for her to put it on before they both sprinted off towards the camp.

They arrived to find a mass of students gathered, forming a circular clearing in the middle of the crowd. Harry could make out Remus, Tonks, and Moody standing in the middle of it, but nothing else.

“Nev, what’s going on?” asked Harry as he and Ginny came over to them.

“A spy,” replied Neville. “Moody caught him and dragged him back to camp.

“What was the scream?” asked Hermione.

“He tried to pull a wand, but Moody was too fast,” replied Ginny. “Hermione...”

“Hm?” asked Hermione.

“Your shirt is inside-out.”

Hermione instantly turned beet red and, muttering a simple charm, reversed her top.

“Who is it?” asked Harry. Turning his attention back to the matter at hand. When Ginny and Neville shared a wary look but didn’t answer, he began fighting his way through the crowd.

“Harry...” said Hermione hesitantly, but it was for naught. Harry broke through into the clearing and strode over to the man laying curled up on the ground. Without saying a word to any of the adults, he reached down and threw back the hood covering the man’s face.

“You son of a bitch!” roared Harry, drawing his fist back and striking Peter Pettigrew across the face.

“Harry!” exclaimed Remus, pulling him off the quivering man.

“Let go of me!” yelled Harry, wrestling out of Remus’ grasp.

“Harry...” whimpered Pettigrew, blood running from his nose. “I didn’t have a choice...”

“I bet you bloody didn’t,” spat Harry. “Take him somewhere where I can interrogate him.”

“Harry, I’m not sure if you should be doing that,” said Tonks carefully, casting a charm to stop the blood.

“Well I am,” countered Harry. “Bring him.”

Moody and Remus grabbed Pettigrew around the shoulders and dragged him through the crowd, over to Moody’s tent, Harry, Hermione, and Tonks following behind them.

“Get McGonagal,” said Harry once they were inside. “She should be present.”

Tonks nodded wordlessly and ran off get the Headmistress.

“So,” said Harry, casting a silencing charm on the tent and conjuring a steel chair for Pettigrew to sit in. “What brings you by, Peter?”

“Harry, please,” whimpered Pettigrew, as he was forced into the chair by Moody, tying him to it with anti-magic ropes.

“I asked you a question, Peter,” said Harry dangerously. “What were you sent out here for?”

“The...the dark lord wanted to know the condition of the camp,” he replied nervously.

“So he knows where we are, then?” asked Harry, as Tonks came back with McGonagal in tow.

“H-he knows you’re in the forest,” replied Pettigrew. “He can’t put it on a map because you made it Unplottable, but he knows you’re in here.”

“So how did you find us?” asked Moody.

“The charms don’t work as well against animals that know what they’re doing,” muttered Peter. “If I transformed, I could get past the cloaking charms...”

“How did you find him?” asked Harry, looking at Moody.

“Saw him,” said Moody, pointing at his eye. “I’d recognise that rat a hundred leagues away.”

“So what does the Dark Lord intend to do about us?” asked Harry.

“He doesn’t know that you’ve gotten supplies,” whimpered Peter. “He’s waiting until you’re so weak you can’t fight or sustain the magical barriers around this place.”

“Good,” said Harry. “And the prisoners at the castle? What condition are they in?”

“He’s trying to brainwash the students into following him,” said Peter. “I don’t think he’s having much success, given the amount of Crucio’s that have been fired off.”

“And the teachers?” asked Harry.

“What teachers?” asked Pettigrew.

“Trelawny and Slughorn,” said McGonagal, from her place in the corner. “Where are they, Peter?”

“I don’t know...I know nothing of any adults being captured...”

“Are you lying to me, Peter?” asked Harry. “I’m sure Mad-Eye has some very persuasive means of getting information from you.”

Moody grinned menacingly at this.

“No!” shrieked Pettigrew. “I swear! We didn’t capture any teachers! They must be in hiding.”

Harry considered him for a moment.

“Very well,” nodded Harry. “How big is his army right now?”

“I-I don’t know...”

Harry drew his wand and fired a curse at Pettigrew’s feet, missing by mere inches and scorching the grass where it hit.

“Fif-fifteen hundred!” exclaimed Peter desperately.

“Fifteen hundred?” asked Harry quietly, turning to face Peter properly.

“Roughly...and another two thousand spread out over the isles,” replied Peter. “He has enough power to take over the continent...if he wanted to.”

“So why doesn’t he?” asked Remus.

“He doesn’t want to spread himself out too thin,” replied Pettigrew. “From what I’ve heard, he wants the majority of his troops here when he fights you, Harry.”

“Sounds like he’s scared of me,” said Harry, kneeling down in front of Pettigrew and staring him in the eyes. “What do you think, Peter? Are you scared of me?”

“I-I...”

“You owe me a life debt, Peter,” whispered Harry dangerously. “Why would Voldemort tell you all of this knowing that?”

“H-he doesn’t know it,” stammered Peter.

“Oh really?” asked Harry. “And why not?”

“He never asked.”

“He never asked why you came back to him in the first place?” asked Harry, arching an eyebrow. “Forgive me if I seem a little skeptical.”

“You heard him that night in the graveyard,” whispered Peter. “He said himself that I went back to him out of fear.”

“And so what happens when you don’t go back to him tonight?” asked Harry. Peter remained silent. “Is he going to send someone after you? Or someone to replace you?”

“No human who doesn’t already know where this place is could find it,” said Remus. “The wards are too strong.”

“Tell me Peter,” said Harry, turning back to his prisoner. “Will Voldemort send Nagini after you?”

The widening of Pettigrew’s eyes was enough for Harry.

“Send out patrols,” said Harry. “If that snake is in the forest, it needs to be caught and brought here immediately.”

“Why?” asked Tonks.

Harry quickly cast a Deafening Charm on Pettigrew and turned so his lips weren’t visible.

“Because it’s a horcrux,” replied Harry seriously.

“I’ll have all the Order members in the camp searching,” said McGonagal. “Alastor, you’re in charge, make sure they report back to you every twenty minutes with updates.”

“Roger that,” said Moody, quickly departing from the tent.

“Peter,” said Harry, turning back to him and removing the charm. “Listen to me very carefully.” Pettigrew whimpered as Harry leaned over so they were eye-to-eye, their noses almost touching. “You have a long way to go before you’re home free. You betrayed us, so we don’t like you. You just betrayed Voldemort, so he probably won’t like you too much either. If you have any hopes of living to see Christmas, you better be able to help us when it matters the most. Understand?”

Pettigrew nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Good,” said Harry. “Now then, unless there’s anything else?”

“It’s fine, Harry,” nodded Remus. “We’ll finish up in here.”

“Thank you,” smiled Harry, he and Hermione departing a moment later.

“What’s going on?” asked Ron, coming up to him with Luna by his side. “I heard something about Peter Pettigrew getting captured?”

“It’s true,” said Harry. “I just finished interrogating him.”

“I want to see him,” said Ron, making a move towards Moody’s tent, put Harry put an arm out to stop him.

“It won’t do any good,” sighed Harry. “We got all we can from him, and I punched him hard enough for both of us.”

“You did?” asked Ron, brightening slightly.

“I gave him a bloody nose,” smiled Harry.

“Good on you, mate,” chuckled Ron. “I suppose that makes it a little better then.”

“We have a much bigger problem than I anticipated though,” said Harry.

“What?” asked Ron.

“Voldemort’s army,” sighed Harry.

“What about it?” asked Ron.

“C’mon,” said Harry, motioning for them to follow. “We shouldn’t talk about this here.”

Harry led them a little ways away from the camp, not wanting to go too far so as to not make Luna walk too much, and for fear of being overheard by Nagini.

“Voldemort is thirty-five hundred strong,” said Harry in a low voice.

“What?!” hissed Ron, keeping his voice low.

“Apparently he could move on the continent if he wanted to, but he’s saving most of them for the battle against Harry,” said Hermione.

“Oh my,” whispered Luna.

“I don’t know how we could fight against that many people,” said Harry, shaking his head. “I mean, we have maybe a hundred people here capable of fighting, the Ministry might be able to provide another two hundred if we’re lucky...”

“Well we do have the element of surprise,” said Hermione. “Voldemort thinks we’re suffering...he might not compensate enough for us being ready to fight.”

“That’s true,” said Ron. “And we could attack too, instead of waiting to defend, I’m sure that’d help also.”

“No...” said Harry thoughtfully. “We’d have to invade Hogwarts to make it a meaningful attack...and the halls are too narrow and probably filled with traps now. We’d get mowed down before we even knew what was coming.”

“True,” sighed Ron.

“Hey guys!” called Neville, running to get to them. “Come quick! They caught Nagini!”

“That was fast,” commented Harry. “Ron, can you help Luna get back?”

“Sure mate, go on ahead,” nodded Ron, putting an arm around Luna.

“Thanks,” smiled Harry, and he and Hermione sprinted off towards the camp.

“Where is it?” asked Harry, running into Moody’s tent. Remus, Tonks, McGonagal, and Moody were all still present, thought Pettigrew was nowhere in sight now. Smiling, Moody pointed at the cage in the back, which was holding a hissing Nagini.

“One of the younger lads found her,” said Moody, grinning. “Sent for help and Remus got there and caged her.”

“Wonderful,” smiled Harry, walking over to the cage. He stood in front of it and looked at the snake, which was regarding him carefully.

“Try getting information from her, Harry,” said Hermione from behind him.

“Hello, Nagini,” hissed Harry. The snake’s eyes widened at him. “What are you doing so far from your master?”

“I’m right here, Potter,”
the snake hissed back, it’s eyes suddenly turning blood red.

“Tom...how nice of you to stop by,” hissed Harry. “You must feel so incompetent now having lost two spies in one night.”

“Your arrogance is astounding,”
hissed the snake. “But what do you intend to do with your prisoners? Trade them for students I’m torturing up at the school?”

“Prisoners?”
asked Harry with a laugh. “Hardly. Why on earth would I hold prisoners that won’t tell me information?”

“Seems a little foolish, doesn’t it, Potter?”
asked the snake. “Why destroy your only bartering chips?”

“You mean to tell me you place a value on Pettigrew’s head?”
asked Harry. “Don’t make me for a fool, Tom.”

“Given how your father acted just before I killed him, I assumed the trait had passed along.”

“Then you forget how you’ve failed to kill me...what, five times now?”
countered Harry.

“Touche,” hissed the snake. “Yet you seem to think you can win against me?”

“You’ve given me no proof otherwise,”
retorted Harry.

“Perhaps I should kill the mudblood, then,” said the snake, and without warning it threw itself against the front of the cage, fangs bared. “How about I kill her right in front of you, Potter? A nice slow, painful death. Think you’ll be able to beat me then?”

“You will not harm her,”
said Harry through gritted teeth.

“Ah, touched a nerve, have I?” hissed the snake with a hint of mirth. “Well, I’m growing bored of this conversation. If you want to trade your hostages for some of my students, bring them out to the edge of the forest whenever you want. One of my death eaters is sure to see you and then we can have a nice peaceable exchange. Or if you want to kill them, I’m sure we can mutually work something out where I kill the mudblood’s parents too.”

“I’ll think about it,”
replied Harry furiously.

“You do that.”

And without another word, Nagini’s eyes returned to yellow.

“Someone please remove her,” said Harry, motioning to the cage. “We can’t have this conversation where she could hear it.”

“I’ll do it,” said Remus, walking over to the cage and carrying it out of the tent.

“Snakes can’t understand English, Harry, only Parseltongue,” said Hermione.

“Snakes can’t,” replied Harry. “Voldemort can.”

“What?” asked Tonks.

“I’ll explain when Remus gets back,” said Harry.

“Alright, she’s in a safe spot,” said Remus, re-entering the tent a moment later. “What’s going on?”

“We can’t kill her,” said Harry, turning to face them. “Not yet.”

“What?” asked Hermione. “Why not?”

“Voldemort knows that she’s captive,” he replied. “I was just talking to him.”

“What?” asked McGonagal.

“He knows that we have her and Pettigrew as prisoner,” said Harry. “And he knows we value the lives of the students up at the school...so he proposed a trade.”

“Obviously we can’t do that,” said Tonks.

“I know,” replied Harry. “But he’s threatened to kill Hermione’s parents if we kill either Nagini or Pettigrew.”

“Oh god...” whispered Hermione.

“This may actually work to our advantage,” said Harry thoughtfully. “He wants us to bring Nagini and Pettigrew to the edge of the forest. He apparently has patrols, so one of them will see us and alert him, bringing him out with his death eaters.”

“We could catch them in a crossfire if we position ourselves correctly,” said Tonks.

“Right,” nodded Harry. “And when he and I start battling, you could kill Nagini while his attention is diverted.”

“Exactly,” nodded Tonks.

“We still need to figure out how to get more troops,’ said Harry. “Right now, we don’t have enough to deal with fifteen hundred, let alone another two grand.”

“I...I might have an idea,” said Remus. “We’re thinking of finishing this soon?”

“As soon as I get this bloody quest finished,” replied Harry, holding up the bracelet.

“I might be able to get us some troops,” said Remus thoughtfully. “Though I’d have to leave now...it’ll take some convincing.”

“Who?” asked Harry and Hermione at the same time.

“An old friend of mine who has a lot of influence,” said Remus. “Trust me on this one Harry.”

“Alright,” he nodded. “Leave as soon as you can and make the effort to go get them.”

“Thank you,” said Remus, making for the entrance to the tent.

“Remus?” asked Harry. “How many?”

“A thousand, if we’re lucky,” he answered.

“Go get ‘em,” smiled Harry, and Remus left.

“So what now?” asked Tonks.

“Now...I try and figure out the last bloody part of this quest,” said Harry.

“Um, Harry?” asked Hermione, peeking outside the tent. “You might want to come and have a look at this.”

“What is it?” he asked, walking over to the tent flap and peering out.

Two dozen centaurs were standing in a circle around the gathered students, weapons drawn.

---------------

An action packed chapter! And I’m sorry to leave you with a cliffhanger, but don’t worry, all will be explained next time.

For this installment’s little bit of wisdom, I give you a quote that is used by many poker players. It was originally said by Amarillo Slim, and then quoted against in the movie Rounders.

You can shear a sheep many times, but skin him only once.

Apply it to what you will in life, but it really does apply to so many different things. Anyways, sorry for the extra week it to me to get this out, and I hope you all enjoyed it. Don’t forget to review!

20. The Final Trial


And we’re back for another installment of your favorite (or at least I hope it’s your favorite) story. I don’t have much to say here, but I WILL say that in this chapter there are a couple references to a famous movie. They’re subtle references, so you will probably have to be at least a decent fan of this particular movie to spot it, but the movie itself is very famous. Pumpkin pie to whoever gets it right. ;)

---------------

Chapter 20: The Final Trial

“What do we do?” asked Hermione, backing away from the tent flap quietly.

“Whatever we do, it has to be soon,” said Tonks.

“I think I have to confront them,” said Harry contemplatively.

“What if they’re working for Voldemort?” asked Hermione.

“A bunch of centaurs so proud that they won’t even let Hagrid on their territory would never fall for any bait Voldemort might try and use to gain their favor,” said Harry. “Besides, if they were working for him, they wouldn’t be holding everyone hostage...there’d already be a body count.”

“I suppose you’re right,” said Hermione.

“You all need to stay here and remain hidden,” said Harry to Tonks, McGonagal and Moody. “If something happens, ambush them and do your best to get everyone to safety.”

“Don’t be reckless, lad,” advised Moody as Harry strode to the front of the tent.

“Reckless? Me? Never,” joked Harry with a smile before exiting.

“Tell me, where is your leader?!” a black-haired centaur bellowed at a cowering first year.

“I’m right here, Bane,” said Harry, coming up to them.

“Potter,” spat the centaur. “I might’ve known you’d lead your kind into our forest.”

“This forest belongs to more than just your race,” countered Harry. “You, better than most, should know that.”

“We are the keepers of this land, Harry Potter,” said the centaur Harry recognised as Magorian, coming up to him. “And while we do not regulate the flow of wildlife, we are here to ensure that no harm comes to it.”

“And how are we harming your land?” asked Harry, his patience wearing thin. “It’s not like we’re killing animals for food, now are we?”

“You’re cutting trees for firewood,” replied Magorian. “And we have repeatedly given you warnings not to trespass here.” Two centaurs came up behind Harry and Hermione, bows drawn. “There are many foals here who have only committed the crime of following their leader, we shall not harm them. But you will pay for your trespass, Harry Potter.”

The two centaurs seized Harry by the shoulders and forced him to the ground, Bane pinning Hermione’s arms behind her back as she tried to draw her wand.

“This one should pay too,” said Bane as Hermione struggled to free herself. “She was here too when we gave them the warning.”

“Very well,” said Magorian. “As per our laws, you will be hung from the wrists until – ”

“I’ve found him!” a centaur from a little ways off yelled. Harry was able to turn his head just enough to see the red-haired centuar, Ronan, trot forward, Firenze walking slowly behind him.

“Firenze,” said Magorian, temporarily forgetting about Harry and Hermione. “I wondered if you would be here with the humans.”

“You left me but few choices other than to make my bed with them,” sighed the centaur, though his voice did not waver.

“Upon your act of betrayal of our kind, you were forbidden to return here under the penalty of death,” said Magorian, looking at his former friend. Firenze said nothing, only stared resolutely at the ground. “Off with his head.”

“No!” shrieked Hermione, along with several other students.

Ronan forced Firenze to the ground as an axe was brought forth to Magorian, who walked slowly over to them.

“I have put up with a lot of your shite,” said Harry furiously, causing everyone to turn and look at him. “But I will not stand for this injustice!”

With a powerful wave of magic, the centaurs holding Harry were thrown back, and Harry stood up, drawing his wand.

“You may choose to not involve yourself in the affairs of others,” said Harry, advancing on Magorian, who was still standing over a bewildered Firenze. “But when you start threatening those I care about...those who have done no wrong except in your eyes, you’re taking it too far.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Bane move one his hands away from Hermione’s arms to draw a knife. In an instant, the Eternium around Harry’s neck flashed white, and a burst of energy flew from Harry and knocked Bane backwards into a tree.

“You mean to make war on the centaurs?” asked Magorian, somewhat incredulously.

“War is not something I favor,” said Harry. “But if you would kill innocents to preserve your pride, then you are no better than Voldemort, and deserve the same fate as he does.”

“So be it,” said Magorian, turning to face Harry, as all the centaurs in the clearing aimed their bows at Harry.

Harry lifted his wand at Magorian, and was about to send a stunner in his direction, when the sleeve of his robe slipped down, exposing the stone bracelet.

“Hold your fire!” roared Magorian, surprising everyone in the camp. Slowly, he walked over to Harry and looked him in the eyes. “Where did you get that?” he asked softly, motioning towards the bracelet.

“If you’re aware of what it is, then you should already know the answer to that,” replied Harry in an equally low voice. Magorian stared at him for what seemed like an eternity before stepping back slightly.

“If I were to ask you where I could find the most crippling emotion known to man?” he asked.

“I would answer that it’s in the same place where the thestrals from this very forest took me and five others over a year ago,” replied Harry. “Funny...they took us to the Ministry on the very same day you tried to kill me and Hermione.”

“Come with me,” said Magorian, turning to walk away.

“And what assurances do I have that you won’t hurt anyone while we’re ‘away’?” asked Harry.

“You and your mate are the only ones on trial here, aside from Firenze,” answered Magorian. “The rest are free to do as they wish.”

“That answer is insufficient,” replied Harry.

“If you are the king,” said Magorian, looking over his shoulder at Harry. “The centaurs are at your mercy, and we will not harm her or Firenze.” Harry considered this for a moment.

“Lead the way.”

Magorian turned and walked off into the woods. Harry turned and mouthed, ‘I love you’ to Hermione as he jogged off after the centaur, leaving everyone behind.

“Where are we going?” asked Harry a few minutes later.

“You have one force left to harness, don’t you?” asked the centaur. The final words of the bracelet echoed in Harry’s head.

“Your journey will end where it began, or near that spot in the least.”

“You know where it is?” asked Harry, speeding up so he drew even with Magorian. “You know where evil is?”

“Know?” scoffed the centaur. “Boy, we have guarded it for over three hundred years. And you wonder why we’re so selective about who enters this forest.”

“Who are you guarding it from?” asked Harry.

“From those who would try and use the power evil holds for themselves,” replied Magorian. “Like Voldemort. We’re almost there.”

“Where exactly is ‘there’?” asked Harry.

“There,” replied Magorian pointing at a very dark, and very eery cave.

“More bloody caves,” grumbled Harry. “What’s in it?”

“Everything you fear,” replied the centaur. “I will wait for you back at the camp.” And without another word Magorian walked back off in the direction from which they came. Harry arched an eyebrow at his retreating back before walking forward, the sounds of nature quickly disappearing as he reached the entrance.

Harry lit his wand and proceeded carefully. The sounds of loose pebbles being kicked by his sneakers echoed off the walls of the cave, which was starting to descend into the earth. Harry kept his eyes open for any signs of vicious life...‘perhaps there are some very evil bats that lurk in places like these,’ he thought to himself.

The sound of footsteps ahead of him halted his gait, and Harry quickly extinguished his wand so as not to be detected. Pressing himself against the wall of the cave, he listened as the footsteps stopped for a moment, then resumed, slowly growing softer.

“Occulus Lumos,” whispered Harry, tapping his glasses. The darkness suddenly turned to an ominous green, although he could now distinctly see where everything was without the help of light.

“I invented it,” smiled Hermione, demonstrating the spell for Harry. “It works like muggle infrared technology...you’ll be able to see without the help of your wand even in the darkest of places.”

‘Thank you, Hermione,” thought Harry, quietly setting off after the footsteps.

He continued on for several minutes, slowing down every time he got close, so as not to alert his quarry. Finally, the footsteps came to a halt, the soft flicker of a fire appearing a moment later a little ways down the passage.

Cancelling the spell, Harry proceeded forward, being careful not to kick any rocks. Turning a corner, he could see a figure in a black cloak hunched over a small fire. Behind the fire, hanging from against the wall by chains on her wrists, was a very bloody and quite unconscious Hermione.

It took all of Harry’s willpower not to scream out her name and run headlong into the small clearing. Instead, he took a breath to steady himself, and aimed his wand at the figure in front of the fire.

“Stupefy,” he whispered.

“Avada Kedavra,” the cloaked figure spoke in a clear, yet deadly voice, his wand pointed at Harry.

Just as it had happened in his fourth year, the bolts of magic struck each other and joined, the beads of light appearing on the golden thread of magic connecting Harry and his attacker. This time, Harry found much less difficulty in forcing the beads towards his opponent’s, the Eternium glowing softly, lending Harry it’s aide. Just as Harry was wondering what would emanate from the cloaked man’s wand, the man lifted his hand and pointed at Hermione.

Harry realised what was going to happen one second too late.

“NO!” bellowed Harry, as the man drew his hand sharply through the air, a tremendous wound opening across Hermione’s body, as though she had been cleft by a sword. A surge of energy from Harry ended the Priori Incantatem, the man flying against the wall of the cave as Harry’s stunner connected.

Harry sprinted over to Hermione, blood pouring from the gaping wound in her body. Quickly cutting the chains, she collapsed against the ground, Harry quickly cradling her body as her eyes flickered open.

“Hermione,” whispered Harry, tears flowing silently from his eyes.

She had not the strength to answer him. A lone tear rolled from her eyes before all signs of life left her.

Harry cried. He cried as he had never cried before in his life. He sobbed as he clutched her lifeless body, her blood mixing with his tears.

Harry didn’t know how much time passed, but eventually his body would produce no more tears, and his attention turned to the one who had so violently ripped Hermione’s life from her.

Standing shakily, Harry walked over to the cloaked figure, who was still unconscious, and aimed his wand at the person. Reaching down, he threw back the hood expecting to see Voldemort.

But it wasn’t.

This man was much younger than Voldemort.

The features were slightly different; the hair was thinner and had less color, and the scruff of a beard showed the signs of being forced to age faster than nature intended, but there was no mistaking a 40 year-old Harry Potter.

Harry stumbled backwards, falling on his arse as he stared at an older version of himself...a version of himself that killed the one he loved most.

And it dawned on Harry that what he had seen was his greatest fear...that he would become what Voldemort was, and have it result in the death of Hermione.

Without warning, Harry felt the familiar pulling sensation behind his navel, and a moment later landed hard against the ground.

“Welcome, Potter.”

Harry was quickly on his feet, his wand drawn as green torches began to light themselves around the perimeter the very large and wide cavern Harry had landed in.

“Godric always said that he knew it was you,” the voice said again. Harry thought it was slightly familiar, and turned to face the source of it.

The man who was standing there, now visible in the green glow from the torches, was very tall, at least a couple of meters. He had silver hair which was pulled back into a ponytail, and a sunken face which left no room for niceties. But even though Harry had never met this man before, there was no mistaking the glowing red eyes that this man bore.

“Salazar Slytherin himself,” said Harry, staring at the man. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“After what I put you through, I doubt you’ll be calling it ‘pleasure’,” said Slytherin. “But if you must know, this place has been my prison for the last thousand years.”

“Oh?” asked Harry. “And why is that?”

“It is because of the curse that Godric put on me right before I killed him,” replied Salazar. “See Godric and I got into a nasty little tiff one day because he found out about the Chamber of Secrets. He tracked me all the way to the country I was living in and we ended up having a nice little duel.”

“And he cursed you with immortality?” asked Harry.

“It is known as the Curse of Androvan, who of course, was the first great king,” said Salazar. “Androvan, in his quest to unite the people, used this curse against his most fearsome enemies, the ones he claimed to deserve worse than death.”

“Oh?” asked Harry.

“Those who are cursed are imprisoned in an area of the caster’s choosing, and cannot die until someone kills them.”

“How lovely,” said Harry. “So if this was Androvan’s curse, how did Godric know it?”

“Androvan was maybe a hundred years older than Godric and myself, but even so Godric gained his favor before the assassination, and learned all his little tricks and secrets,” said Salazar. “That’s how he came to make that bracelet, you know,” he said, pointing at the bracelet around Harry’s wrist. “When the guardians split the forces that were united by the king, Godric made that little bracelet so that the successor could unite them.”

“So, I suppose you want me to kill you now so you can move on?” asked Harry.

“Oh, heavens no,” laughed Slytherin. “I plan on killing you in the most torturous way I can think of.”

“And condemn yourself to an eternity of nothingness?” asked Harry.

“What eternity?” laughed Salazar. “Surely you don’t think that after I kill you, my successor won’t come and free me from this prison?”

“How do you know about him?” asked Harry.

“You assume, that given my immense knowledge and skill that I can’t sense what’s going on in the outside world?” laughed Slytherin. “I can tell you everything...from Fudge’s dismissal to the death of your beloved godfather.”

“And what assurances do you have that Voldemort will even find this place?” asked Harry, not wanting to continue the subject of Sirius.

“Those foul beasts that guard this cave don’t make it too much of a task to figure out that there’s something of value in the forest,” replied Slytherin. “And Tom Riddle is much too curious for his own good. He’ll investigate, find this place, release me, and together we will take over the world with the power we’ve both gained from the lovely crystal residing behind me.”

Harry looked past Slytherin and for the first time noticed a black crystal hovering slightly off the ground, about twenty meters behind his enemy. Glancing back at Salazar, he felt the air charge and several black bolts of energy crackled around the ex-founder’s body.

“Unfortunately this is a ‘no casting’ area, so the power I’ve gained from evil itself won’t do me any good against you,” said Slytherin, drawing a sword from inside his robe. “So I’ll have to resort to the old-fashioned way.” Harry tried to cast a stunner at Slytherin silently to check the validity of his opponent’s statement, and found it to be quite true.

“And you don’t care that it might take Voldemort several years to find this place?” asked Harry, trying to stall long enough to think of a way out of the situation.

“Harry Potter...I’ve been down here a millennium,” spat Slytherin. “I hardly think another year or two will make a difference.”

‘I could really use Fawkes right now,” thought Harry, as Slytherin began to advance on him.

And then suddenly, just like in the Chamber of Secrets, there was a bang and a loud cry from high above them, and Fawkes soared into view, dropping the Sword of Gryffindor into Harry’s outstretched hand, before disappearing with another bang.

“How very typical,” droned Slytherin. “It seems as if Dumbledore’s bird is still loyal to you, even after his untimely departure.”

“He’ll never be gone,” smiled Harry, a renewed sense of hope growing in him as he pocketed his wand. “Not as long as those who remain are loyal to him.”

“How lovely,” said Slytherin sarcastically. “I hope you can use that in a real fight, Potter...I promise you I’ll be a much bigger challenge than my basilisk was.”

“Let’s find out,” replied Harry, sprinting forward.

Their swords met with a loud clang, and Slytherin darted away before Harry could make another attack. In the dim green light, he could barely make out his enemy’s figure before he had to defend himself from the great arcing swing of Salazar’s sword.

“You seem to have some talent,” taunted Slytherin as their swords crossed, each pressing up against the other.

“You’re very much like Tom,” countered Harry, as they pushed off each other. “You both have a tendency to underestimate me.”

“Is that so?” asked Slytherin as he came around for another attack.

“Surely,” replied Harry. “Don’t you think it’s quite ironic that after I’m done with you and Tom, all remnants of your line will be gone forever?”

“I think perhaps you overestimate your chances,” smirked Slytherin as their swords glanced off each other again. “All Tom has to do is kill that mudblood lover of yours and he’ll win.”

“He’ll have to go through me to do it,” replied Harry, and he could feel the soft pulse of the Eternium from inside his shirt.

“Not if I go through you first,” laughed Slytherin, and suddenly he darted out of view. Harry spun around, trying to find him, but was unable to locate his adversary until it was too late. Slytherin appeared to his left at the last second and plunged his sword into Harry’s side.

“Good game,” laughed Slytherin as Harry fell to his knees. “Do say ‘hi’ to Godric for me while you’re up there?”

‘Hermione,’ thought Harry, as his vision began to blur. ‘Help me...’

And suddenly a warm sensation spread through his body, washing the pain of the blade away and giving him renewed strength. To his left, he could see the astonishment in Slytherin’s face as the sword was slowly pushed from Harry’s body, the wound sealing up as it left.

“What treachery is this?” hissed Salazar, recoiling slightly.

“One that neither you, nor Tom, can ever comprehend,” smiled Harry, pulling the glowing Eternium from inside his shirt. “Love.”

The pendant glowed brightly as Harry advanced on his prey. Slytherin tried to back away, but the magic from the gem kept him rooted to the ground, and he found himself unable to defend as Harry drew back his arm and drove the tip of his sword straight through Salazar’s heart.

Harry looked into the red eyes of the man who had helped found Hogwarts, and watched as he let out a dying chuckle and collapsed to the ground, lifeless.

He let the sword fall to the ground with a resounding clang and collapsed to the ground, breathing heavily.

“Don’t you think it’s about time you finished your quest?” asked a familiar gentle voice.

“Who...?” asked Harry looking around for the source of the voice, but none was found.

“Finish the job, Harry, your friends are waiting for you,” said the voice, although still no body could be seen belonging to it.

“Professor Dumbledore?”

Silence answered Harry, and he turned over so he was now facing the floating black crystal. Grabbing Gryffindor’s sword and using it as a cane, he stood up and walked over to the prism, staring at the ominous black hole near the bottom.

“I’ve come this far...” said Harry to himself, and he plunged his wrist into the hole.

Energy seared through him, much like electricity, although there was no mistaking the darkness behind this power. Harry wanted to retch as he felt the magic course through him...it felt like it was trying to become part of his body, trying to taint his soul.

“Harry Potter...” a dark voice hissed softly.

“No...” said Harry through gritted teeth.

“Don’t fight the power...”

“I have to...”

“Just accept it, and it will all be over.”

And it suddenly dawned on Harry that acceptance was exactly what he needed to do. Relaxing his body, he centered his concentration and forced the evil from his body and into the last three empty runes on the bracelet.

Once the presence had left him, Harry withdrew his hand and stared at the completed circlet. The last three runes had turned to onyx, and there was now a gentle golden glow coming from the borders of each of the runes.

“Finally...” sighed Harry, marveling at the beauty of the thing. “Now what?”

As if to answer him, the space around him squeezed and Harry suddenly found himself laying on the grass outside the entrance of the cave, the sword of Gryffindor still clutched in his hand. Without hesitation, he rose and began walking back towards the camp.

=====

“Do you think Harry’s alright?” asked Luna, as she and Ron sat by the campfire, Ginny and Neville next to them.

“I’m more worried about what’ll happen to Bane when he gets back,” muttered Ron. Bane had regained consciousness shortly after Magorian and Harry had departed, and resumed his post of watching over Hermione, who was sitting mutinously against a tree. “What a git.”

“He’s been gone a while now,” said Ginny. “I wonder what’s taking him?”

“If it’s anything like what he had to go through at Azkaban, he could be out there a while,” replied Ron.

“As if he hasn’t had enough on his plate already,” sighed Neville.

“Tell me about it,” said Ginny, leaning into her boyfriend.

“Ronald,” whispered Luna, looking off into the forest.

“What is it luv?” asked Ron, following her gaze.

Harry was walking back into the camp, his robe hiding the bracelet. The entire camp watched in interest as Magorian walked up to him.

“So, Harry Potter, how fare you?”

In response, Harry lifted his right arm, exposing the completed bracelet, which earned a hush from those gathered.

“I see you were successful,” said Magorian. “My lord.”

Ron watched in astonishment as Magorian bent his knees and bowed his head slightly, the other centaurs in the clearing hesitantly doing the same.

“This is absurd,” said Bane, the only centaur left not with his knees bent. “We do not bow to the likes of humans.”

“This man is a king of light,” said Magorian, still looking at the ground. “He has completed the circle and unified the forces. Bow your head, Bane.”

“But –”

“BOW YOUR HEAD!” roared Magorian. Bane, taken aback, reluctantly lowered his head.

“Finally,” exclaimed Hermione, jumping to her feet and walking over to Harry. “What took you so long?”

“I had to watch you die again,” whispered Harry so only she could hear it. Hermione placed a hand on his shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze.

“So what now?” asked Ron, coming over to them with Luna, Ginny, and Neville following.

“Now, I think Bane will get us some firewood,” smiled Harry, looking over at the centaur.

“I will not – ”

“Now, Bane,” interrupted Harry. The centaur gave Harry the greatest look of loathing, but walked off into the forest with no further argument.

“I am so glad someone finally told him off,” said Ginny. “Lousy git.”

“There’s still one other matter to deal with,” said Hermione softly, nodding at Firenze.

“Ah yes,” said Harry. “Release him...he is welcome here just as any who are not adverse to our cause.”

The two centaurs holding Firenze let go, who stood and walked over to Harry.

“I am eternally in your debt, my lord,” said Firenze, bowing his head deeply.

“It’s still Harry, Professor,” smiled Harry. “I hope you will still return to Hogwarts and continue to teach once the school has been reopened.”

“Of course,” nodded the centaur.

“My lord,” said Magorian, coming over to him. “The centaurs are at your service. What would you have us do?”

“How in tune with this forest are you?” asked Harry, a thought coming to him.

“We are one with nature as are the rocks, the water, and the birds,” replied Magorian.

“Can you speak to them?” asked Harry.

“Nature does not have its own language, but we can understand each other,” replied the centaur.

“Ask the animals to spy for us...find out anything they can about what’s happening up at the castle,” said Harry. “Where the patrols are, the condition of the students, if there are any weak points...anything.”

“Of course,” nodded Magorian. With a sharp whistle, the centaurs in the clearing snapped to attention before running off into the forest with their leader.

“Well, it’s all done,” said Ron, once they had a reasonable amount of privacy back, the students going back to their personal business once the centaurs were gone.

“I know,” said Harry, looking at the bracelet. “It seems a bit surreal.”

“I hate to say it, but this was the easy part,” said Hermione. “We still have a world of work ahead of us.”

“That we do,” said Harry.

“Good work, Harry,” said Tonks coming over to him, Moody following behind her.

“Handled that well, you did,” grunted Moody, nodding.

“Thanks,” said Harry. “Where’s McGonagal?”

“Going over some plans,” said Tonks. “Not a moment to lose, after all.”

“No, I suppose not,” sighed Harry with a meaningful look at Hermione. “I’m going to go for a walk.”

“Er...alright,” she nodded, following him. “We’ll be back in a bit, guys.”

Ron and Tonks nodded at her as she followed Harry a ways into the woods. She noticed that his footsteps weren’t aimless though, as they were so often during these walks...instead he was walking with determination, a definite destination planted in his head.

“Here it is,” said Harry, kneeling down next to a bush.

“Here what is?” asked Hermione, kneeling down next to Harry as he drew a long silver blade from underneath the shrub. “Harry...is that?”

“Gryffindor’s Sword,” he replied holding it up to examine. Glinting in the moonlight, Hermione could make out streaks of blood on the blade.

“What happened?” asked Hermione.

“A long and arduous trial,” sighed Harry, taking a seat. “I got to watch myself kill you, then I had to duel Salazar Slytherin. This is his blood, by the way.”

“Slytherin?” asked Hermione. “As in the founder of Slytherin House, Slytherin?”

“The same,” sighed Harry. “He was being kept alive by a curse that Godric put on him...there isn’t much to tell...he monologued for a bit, then we fought and I killed him.”

“Harry I’m sorry,” whispered Hermione, leaning her head on his.

“It feels strange...having finally killed someone,” he sighed, staring up at the starry sky through the canopy. “I don’t feel like a murderer.”

“That’s because you aren’t,” said Hermione. “A murderer is someone who kills for self-profit...not someone who defends themself or kills to protect others.”

“I know...” replied Harry. “But having to watch myself kill you...it was so real, Hermione.”

“I’m right here,” said Hermione. “You know that.”

“And for that I’m forever grateful,” said Harry, turning his head so their noses were almost touching. “We just need to make sure it stays that way.”

“It will.”

---------------

This week, I thought I’d give a little bit of advice that almost everyone will have heard of, but that no one ever seems to remember when it matters.

To err is human, to forgive is divine.

And there it is. Well, it’s obvious this story is drawing to a close. At this point in time, I’m guessing there will be either 5 or 6 chapters left...I have yet to decide how I want to play the final battle out. And remember, don’t forget to guess the movie in your review! Until next time!

21. A Deep Breath

Alright. Total counts have been done, and this story will end at 26 chapters. For right now though, enjoy #21!

(There’s another good quote in this chapter from a famous movie, but its much harder to find than the last one.) ::wink::

---------------

Chapter 21: A Deep Breath

“What do you suppose she wants?” asked Hermione as she and Harry walked towards McGonagal’s tent.

“I doubt it’s anything good,” he sighed, the Sword of Gryffindor swaying from his belt.

“You should try to be a little more positive,” suggested Hermione. “After all, you are the person most of the students look up to, so when you’re being pessimistic it lowers morale.”

Harry turned and looked at her, a look on his face that suggested he was trying not to laugh.

“Oh don’t give me that,” said Hermione, swatting him on the arm. “You know it’s true.”

“Yes, dear.”

They entered McGonagal’s tent to see her and Moody sitting at the desk, discussing something quietly.

“You asked for us?” asked Harry.

“Ah yes,” said McGonagal, standing up. “Thank you Alastor, that will be all.”

Moody grunted and stood up, giving Harry almost a look of regret as he left.

“What was that about?” whispered Hermione in Harry’s ear.

“There’s something I need to discuss with you two,” said McGonagal, motioning for them to sit down. “I’ve already talked about it with some of the other Order members, and while no one is really fond of the idea, we all agree on the necessity of it.”

“And that is?” asked Harry.

“We just received this today,” said McGonagal, dropping a large report on the desk in front of them.

“This is...” said Hermione, her eyes growing wide as she and Harry read the report, detailing the movements of some two thousand death eaters converging on Hogwarts.

“Yes, I don’t like it either,” said McGonagal.

“Who submitted this?” asked Harry.

“Kingsley,” replied McGonagal. “Apparently he was recalled from his job in the muggle Ministry and has been giving detailed updates to Scrimgeour about our situation, who at least seems to be trying to make an effort to help us.”

“Glad to hear he’s holding up his end of the deal then,” said Harry.

“As you know Voldemort has at least fifteen hundred troops in the castle alone,” continued McGonagal. “And given this new information, we have to push up our timetable.”

“I agree,” said Harry. “We wouldn’t stand a chance against thirty five hundred.”

“Which is why we’re going to recruit the students to help in the attack.”

Harry and Hermione both looked up at McGonagal at these words.

“I’m sorry?” asked Harry.

“I’m afraid we don’t have much choice,” said McGonagal. “The Ministry can have a hundred aurors here by the time the battle starts, but that won’t be enough. We need more bodies to mount any kind of attack.”

“And why can’t we wait for Remus?” asked Harry.

“Remus did make contact earlier today,” said McGonagal. “And he has been successful. But it will take him at least two days to make it here with the reinforcements because they’re muggles. By that time Voldemort could have his entire army here.”

“How do you expect to win against fifteen hundred without reinforcements?” asked Hermione. “If one hundred wont do anything, three hundred certainly wont make a difference.”

“That’s where we come into play.”

Harry and Hermione turned to see Fred and George making their way into the tent.

“We secured the order,” said George, handing McGonagal a paper. “There’s a bit of a problem though.”

“Yes?” asked McGonagal.

“It was too short notice to get any automatics, so we have to deal with refurbished M1's,” replied Fred. “Granted, they’ll still give us more of an advantage than Voldemort could ever prepare for –”

“Wait, wait,” said Hermione. “Guns?”

“Has it really come to this?” asked Harry quietly.

“I’m afraid so,” replied McGonagal. “It’s the only chance we have.”

“It won’t do much good once Voldemort realises what’s going on,” said Harry.

“That’s right,” nodded Hermione. “There are plenty of shields that can stop bullets.”

“Which is why we’re going to set up anti-magic repeaters,” said McGonagal. “With a modified version of the Protean Charm, we’ll be able to activate them all at once after our initial wave of curses...Voldemort won’t know what hit him.”

“I’m still wary of it,” said Harry. “We’re outnumbered five to one...and I’m sure with enough time Voldemort could find a way to knock down the repeaters.”

“That’s a chance we’re going to have to take,” said McGonagal. “Fred, George, you’ll be getting the rifles tomorrow?”

“Yeah,” replied Fred. “Our supplier is on the continent too, so there’s no chance we’ll be tipping our hand.”

“Good,” said McGonagal. “Harry, the students look up to you the most, so tomorrow morning you will be conducting the enlisting with Hermione.”

“Alright,” said Harry resignedly.

“Everyone will be required to undergo a basic aptitude test to determine whether they are competent enough to shoot a gun,” said McGonagal. “While that is happening, final battle plans will be formulated, after which a final strategy session will held. We will commence the attack afterwards. Are there any questions?”

“No,” said Harry quietly.

“Dismissed, then.”

“I had hoped it wouldn’t come to this,” sighed Harry as they left the tent.

“You and me both,” said Hermione. “Rifles...children shooting guns...”

Harry noticed a couple of the students glance in their direction as Hermione said that.

“We shouldn’t talk about this here,” said Harry.

They walked over to the tree they had taken to sleeping under and lay down, Hermione resting her head in Harry’s lap.

“Why do I get the feeling that this battle is going to be a lot more violent and bloody than we had originally thought?” she asked.

“Because it’s the truth,” replied Harry, each of them drifting off to sleep not too much later.

=====

“I still don’t care much for this idea,” sighed Harry, levitating a table from one of the supply tents out into the main clearing.

“Neither do I,” replied Hermione following behind him, carrying a stack of parchment as several students whispered and pointed at them. “But it’d be more cruel to not give the students the opportunity...and from the looks of it, word got out.”

“I know,” said Harry, setting down the table as Ron and Luna walked over to them.

“Hey guys,” smiled Ron.

“Hi Ron,” replied Hermione, returning the smile. “It’s good to see you walking under your own power again, Luna.”

“Thank you,” said Luna. “It feels nice not to have to rely on those crutches anymore.”

“You’re not enlisting, are you?” asked Harry worriedly. He had told Ron and Luna earlier in the day about what was going to be happening shortly.

“I’m already in,” said Ron. “Being part of the Order and all. I tried to talk her out of it but – ”

“I will not have you out there fighting without me by your side,” said Luna sternly. “And you know that.”

“Luna, are you sure that’s a good idea?” asked Hermione. “You can’t possibly be at one hundred percent yet.”

“I’m fine,” said Luna.

“Luna, far be it for me to tell you what to do,” said Harry. “But we’re not recruiting people to be backup here. You’ll be in the middle of it, taking shots just like everyone else.”

“This is about more than just who lives and dies,” said Luna. “It’s about protecting a way of life. Our way of life. And I would rather die protecting it, than live not having it.”

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and sighed.

“Name and house on the parchment,” said Harry with a sad smile. Luna took the quill that Hermione offered her and signed her name on top of the sheet that read ‘6th year’.

“We won’t be assembling for another four hours,” said Hermione. “The Order has to finalize plans before we can proceed.”

“Do you need me with you guys?” asked Ron.

“It should be alright,” said Harry. “Just keep helping around like you have been and you’ll be fine.”

“Okay, mate,” nodded Ron. “We’ll see you two later then.”

Harry and Hermione nodded as Ron and Luna turned and walked away into the crowd of students that were starting to gather.

“I suppose we’d better get this started then,” said Harry, conjuring two chairs for them to sit on behind the table.

“Alright,” replied Hermione, laying out the sheets of parchment and quills.

“Sonorus,” said Harry, pointing his wand at his throat. “Everybody! Can I have your attention please?”

The assembled students all turned towards him; several more could be seen hurrying over to the clearing from other parts of the camp.

“As most of you have probably heard by now, we need people to volunteer to help in the fight against Voldemort,” said Harry. There were several cheers and fervent shouts at this. “Before we begin letting people enlist though, I need to clarify a few things.” Everyone went quiet at this. “First and foremost, we are at war. We are going to be fighting perhaps the greatest battle in this war. By putting your name on this parchment, you are signing up to either kill, or be killed. There is no middle ground. If you’re on the battlefield and not firing at our enemies, then you’re in the way, which is worse than if you were back here helping the injured.”

The silence of the crowd let Harry know everyone was paying close attention.

“There will be restrictions for the people we let sign up,” he continued. “Everyone must undergo testing to be conducted immediately after enlistment ends, and if you fail will not be allowed to fight.” There were a few murmurs at this. “This is purely a precautionary measure. It is so those of you who are too inexperienced don’t get yourselves killed, and so that those of you who can hold your own but are younger than the norm can still fight. I would like to remind you that your safety is not guaranteed, and that if you put your name on this list, make sure you put your affairs in order in case the worst should happen. Are there any questions?”

“Will you be teaching us how to cast the Killing Curse?” a girl who Harry knew to be in fourth year asked.

“For tactical reasons, only those in ambush positions will be using magic, and only for the first minute of the battle,” said Harry. “Thanks to Fred and George Weasley, we have acquired sufficient weapons to put up a good fight.”

“Weapons?” someone asked.

“Rifles,” clarified Harry. “If you are uncomfortable shooting a gun, please refrain from putting your name down. Is there anything else?”

When no one else said anything, Harry nodded.

“In that case, you may come forward in an orderly fashion and put your name and house down on the sheet of parchment that has your year on it. Quietus.”

Harry sat down next to Hermione as the students came forward, putting their names on the respective lists one by one.

“Your mum won’t be too pleased about this, you know,” said Harry as Ginny came forward, Neville behind her.

“Well, too bad for her,” said Ginny. “I’m not staying back here waiting to die while everyone else is out there fighting.”

“You’ve certainly grown up,” said Harry as Ginny signed her name.

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” smiled Ginny, as Neville came forward.

“Dean’s already signed up, you know,” said Harry as Neville penned his name. “So I suppose that’s our entire dorm.”

“Not quite,” smiled Neville ruefully. “We still have one person to bring back.”

“Seamus,” nodded Harry. “We’ll get him back, Nev.”

“I know we will,” smiled Neville, as he and Ginny walked off among the students.

Over the next hour, just about everyone from the camp signed up, only a few first and second years refraining from placing their names on the list. During the course of the enlistment, Fred and George had returned with dozens of crates filled with rifles and ammunition.

When everything was said and done, Moody appeared next to Harry and Hermione with a somber expression.

“I’ll take it from here,” he grunted.

Harry said nothing, he only stood and walked over to the head tent, Hermione following him, as Moody began shouting out instructions to the students.

“Ah, Potter,” said McGonagal as they entered. “Everyone is signed up, then?”

“Yeah,” sighed Harry. “Moody’s out there doing the training now.”

“Good,” replied McGonagal as Harry took a seat next to Tonks, Hermione beside him.

“So it’s just the seven of us then?” asked Hermione, looking around the room at herself, Harry, Tonks, Kingsley, the twins, and the Headmistress.

“Yes...just us,” replied McGonagal. “But we should be able to formulate a battle plan without much difficulty.”

“So where do we begin?” asked Tonks.

“This is a map of the grounds of Hogwarts,” said McGonagal, laying down a map on the table. “Based on terrain alone, we should initiate the frontal contact from the direction of the main entrance to the north, allowing us flanking capabilities.”

“And how do we plan on flanking them?” asked Kingsley. “The quidditch pitch is west of the main gate, and there’s no cover in between the two.”

“As a precaution, we managed to acquire some scopes on the spot today,” said Fred. “If we could find a way to get some people to the stadium, they could act as snipers.”

“How many scopes?” asked Harry.

“Thirty-five,” replied George.

“That’s good,” replied Harry. “I think that under a disillusionment charm they might be able to get there undetected.”

“I agree,” nodded McGonagal. “I’ll have Moody lead that team so he can see if there are any guards hidden underneath invisibility cloaks.”

“Alright, now what about the south and east?” asked Hermione. “The lake is in the south, so we can’t do anything there –”

“I disagree,” said Harry. “Once the aurors arrive, even if it is before Remus gets back, we should be able to break some people off. We can try to scale the cliffs on the south edge of the school to mount a rescue...most of the death eaters will be fighting, and without them to worry about we should be able to detect any traps fairly easily.”

“Agreed,” said Kingsley. “And the aurors know that they’ll be using rifles, so make sure to have some ready at the gates for them.”

“And as for the east, we can use Hagrid’s Hut and the Whomping Willow as cover,” said Tonks. “They won’t be able to rush against that tree without magic no matter how hard they try.”

“Speaking of Hagrid,” said Harry. “Where is he? I haven’t seen him once in the camp since we arrived come to think of it.”

“I didn’t tell you?” asked McGonagal. “He’s out in the forest getting Grawp ready for battle.”

“That’ll help immensely once the anti-magic barrier goes up,” said Hermione thoughtfully.

“And it’ll provide a good distraction for the rescue team,” replied Harry. “I want to lead that, by the way.”

“May I ask why?” asked McGonagal.

“I still happen to have a certain map that two individuals happened to bestow upon me a long time ago,” said Harry, smiling at the twins.

“We knew that map belonged to you,” grinned George, clapping Harry on the shoulder.

“Very well, Harry and Hermione will lead up the rescue team,” said McGonagal. “Tonks, you have no problems with leading the east flank?”

“Not at all,” replied Tonks.

“Very well,” said McGonagal. “So, to summarize. Harry will initiate communications with Voldemort by bringing out Pettigrew and Nagini. After the first wave of curses have been cast, the repeaters will go up, and shots will be fired, Harry and the others with him going for cover in the forest. When the aurors arrive, all sides except the snipers will converge on the field while the rescue team goes for the castle. Any questions?”

“We should have shooters lined along the perimeter of the forest, using the trees for cover,” Harry said. “It’ll give us extra containment.”

“Agreed,” said McGonagal. “Once Moody finishes with the testing, we will assign groups and commence. You should all get some rest before that.”

Harry and Hermione left the tent silently, not speaking a word to anyone as they walked a good ways into the woods.

“It’ll be another three or so hours until they’re finished,” said Harry, sitting down against a tree. “I guess this is it, huh?”

“Yeah,” replied Hermione, sitting in his lap. “It is.”

“I wonder if it will go according to plan,” sighed Harry, running a hand through his hair.

“Hopefully,” replied Hermione.

Neither of them said anything for a little while, they just sat there, content to be with each other while the faint sounds of gunfire from the testing could be heard in the distance.

“Harry?” asked Hermione, turning around so she was now straddling him.

“Hmm?”

“I want to be honest with you about something.”

“Go ahead,” nodded Harry.

“If something happens to either of us, and I end up never knowing you in all the ways that matter, I’m going to regret it,” she said sincerely. “I’m not pushing you to do anything you’re not ready for, I just want you to know how I feel.”

Harry thought about this for a moment.

“I feel the same way too,” he admitted. “I just don’t want it to be about the war, that’s all.”

“It’s not about the war, it’s about us,” whispered Hermione. “May I ask you something?” Harry nodded. “If we weren’t at war right now, do you think we’d still be waiting?”

“Of course not,” replied Harry.

“See?” smiled Hermione. “It doesn’t have to do with the war. It has to do with us.”

“You’re a bit randy, aren’t you?” grinned Harry.

“Sod off,” chastised Hermione, swatting at him. “I’m being serious.”

“So am I,” replied Harry, his eyes darkening as he leaned forward and kissed her passionately.

“No war,” said Hermione against Harry’s lips, as she undid the buttons on her shirt.

“Just us,” replied Harry, taking his wand from his pocket and waving once, causing all their clothes to vanish.

“You’re a right git,” jumped Hermione. “That startled the shite out of me.”

“You loved it,” smiled Harry, kissing her again. “You’re beautiful, you know that?”

“You’re not too bad yourself,” chuckled Hermione as their passion finally took over.

=====

“We should start heading back,” said Harry a couple hours later.

“I don’t want to,” complained Hermione, laying against him. After their first time, they had conjured blankets to lie on and cover themselves up with, and had just ended up losing themselves in each other three more times over the course of the next two hours.

“I don’t want to either,” sighed Harry. “But we do have an army to lead, after all.”

“I know,” said Hermione softly as Harry started to get up. “Five more minutes?”

“Five more minutes,” smiled Harry, laying back down next to her. “You continue to make me the happiest man alive, Granger.”

“The feeling is mutual,” smiled Hermione.

“And when this is all said and done with, I fully intend on making you my wife,” he said, brushing a loose strand of hair from her face.

“Do you mean that?” asked Hermione softly.

“With no reservations whatsoever,” smiled Harry. “And we can have a nice beautiful wedding like Bill and Fleur’s. We can have it at the Burrow, and have lots of cake, and dancing, and all the other great things that weddings have.”

“Drinks all around?” chuckled Hermione.

“Drunken Ron,” smiled Harry. “That’ll be a sight worth seeing.”

“And having my parents give me away,” smiled Hermione. “They have to be there for that.”

“And they will be,” nodded Harry. “Now let’s go get them back.”

---------------

I’m sorry for such a short chapter, I had originally intended it to be longer, but that was such a good ending spot I couldn’t say no to it.

For my bit of wisdom this week, I give you something one of the most famous war tacticians of all time, Lao Tzu, once said.

Mastering others gives you strength. Mastering yourself makes you invincible.

Take that into account the next time you want to get defensive over something.

As always, those who guess the movie and quote correctly will be given liberal portions of pumpkin pie. Until next time!

22. The Plunge

Welcome back for another installment of your favorite (or I hope your favorite) story. No news is good news they say, so read away!

---------------

Chapter 22: The Plunge

When Harry and Hermione arrived back in the camp, the students were all assembled out in the main clearing. The stones usually holding the campfire had been moved away; benches were lined up for everyone to sit on, most of which were already occupied. At the front, hung between two trees, was a great canvas with a map of the grounds of Hogwarts painted on it.

“They certainly haven’t wasted any time,” said Hermione, looking around.

“None to waste,” replied Harry as McGonagal walked over to them.

“Good, you’re here,” she said. “We’re about to begin.”

“Where should we sit?” asked Harry.

“You don’t sit, Harry, you stand up front with the rest of the Order.”

“I...do?” asked Harry, McGonagal walking away before he finished the question.

“I suppose she’ll want you to say something,” said Hermione as they made their way to the front of the assembly.

“Say something?” asked Harry.

“Like a speech,” rephrased Hermione. “You know, to motivate everyone.”

“I’m rubbish at making speeches,” said Harry, not sounding too thrilled at the idea.

“Nonsense,” replied Hermione. “You’ll do fine.”

“At least one of us is confident,” smiled Harry jokingly as McGonagal put up her arms to silence the crowd.

Harry sighed as he looked out over the crowd and saw the faces of his fellow students, some of whom he knew, some of whom he didn’t, and some of whom were too young and shouldn’t have been there in the first place. All the faces were bearing looks of somber resolution.

“Everyone,” said McGonagal once the assembly had quieted. “I would like to begin by thanking all of you. None of you should be in this position right now, and regardless of what happens in the next few hours, every last one of you will be remembered as someone who stood your ground and fought for what you believed in.” There was a murmur of acknowledgment from the crowd at this telling Harry that McGonagal’s words had done little to stoke the fires of the students.

“After you completed your training, you were all given a piece of paper with a number on it,” said Moody, stepping forward. “The numbers are from one to three, each representing a separate attack group.” There was a collective shuffling from the students as they all reached into their pockets to grab their papers. “The assignments were given based on how well you each performed during the training, and they are not negotiable.”

Harry could hear a few students talking amongst themselves about their groups as McGonagal stepped forward again.

“The assignments are as follows,” she said, taking her wand and drawing three large circles on the map, one over the quidditch pitch, one over the gate to the grounds in the north, and one along the eastern edge of the grounds, on the border of the forest. “These circles represent the area that will be covered by each group. Remember that each group has its own leader and will – ”

It took a few seconds before Harry and everyone else realised why McGonagal had stopped; the herd of two dozen centaurs was standing in the back of the group.

“Why are you here, Magorian?” asked Harry, stepping forward.

“We have come to report on what the spies have found from the castle,” said the centaur, also stepping forward.

“What have you learned?” asked Harry.

Magorian looked around at the gathering hesitantly as if he did not want to divulge his information in front of so many people, but spoke nonetheless.

“Those being held captive are alive, but in weak condition,” said Magorian. “There are ten students total, no adults, being held in the dungeon potions classroom. Severus Snape is guarding them.”

“Ten?” asked Harry. “There should’ve been eleven.”

“The blond-haired boy who passed through our forest long ago was not present,” said Magorian.

“Draco,” muttered Harry. “What a ruddy coincidence.”

“Your mate’s elders are also being held at the school, in the Astronomy Tower from what we can tell.”

“What?” asked Hermione breathlessly.

“Their injuries seem to be less severe from the others, almost as if they were being treated with high importance.”

“I suppose that’s good news,” said Harry.

“Also, there are no traps currently set in the school,” said Magorian.

“What?” asked Harry. “Are you sure about this?”

“The birds do not lie,” replied the centaur seriously. “As for weak points, we have not discovered any portions of the castle that are less structurally sound than any other.”

“Do you know where Voldemort is residing?” asked Harry. A couple of the centaurs pawed the ground uneasily at this.

“We hypothesize that it’s the headmaster – headmistress’ quarters,” said Magorian.

“You hypothesize?” asked Harry, arching an eyebrow.

“We’re not certain, but two of the birds attempted to enter the window and were promptly killed,” replied Magorian.

“Alright,” said Harry, pinching the bridge of his nose. “You’ve been a great help, thank you.”

“You are preparing for battle, are you not?” asked Ronan, from a little ways back in the pack.

“Yes...and?” asked Harry.

“We would serve you, Harry Potter,” said Magorian, bowing his head slightly.

“What happened to not meddling in the affairs of other races?” inquired Harry.

“It is our affair to protect the king,” replied Magorian.

Harry watched as all the centaurs bowed their heads and the assembled students turned to face him, trying to gauge his reaction.

“They’re in my group,” said Harry, turning to McGonagal. “They’ll stay to cover the gate to support the aurors once I break off for the rescue.”

“You are sure about this?” asked the headmistress. Harry looked at the centaurs who were still bowing to him.

“Yes,” replied Harry. “We need all the help we can get.”

“Very well,” nodded McGonagal.

“I accept your help,” said Harry to Magorian. “Please stay for the rest of the briefing.”

“Of course, my lord.”

“I will now explain the group assignments, so please pay attention,” said McGonagal. The few students who were still looking at the centaurs turned and faced the front. “Group One will be led by Professor Tonks and will cover the entire edge of the forest. You will wait for word that the anti-magic barrier has been set up before providing fire against troops on the ground. It is very unlikely that Voldemort will completely empty the castle, so make sure to also attempt shots at death eaters on the ramparts and towers. Are there any questions?” When no one spoke, she continued.

“Group Two will be led by Mister Potter and Miss Granger,” said McGonagal. “You will assemble at the North Gate, and wait for Mister Potter to engage the enemy. Once he has done so, you will provide direct fire against the death eaters until the aurors from the ministry arrive, which will be in roughly one hour. Upon their arrival, you will fall back into the forest, and proceed to the lake. Mister Potter will brief you on your assignment now.”

“My group will be attempting to rescue the prisoners,” said Harry, stepping towards the map. “Upon breaking away from the battle, we will proceed to the lake. The repeaters are being set up to cover the grounds only, so while we’re in the lake and castle we’ll be vulnerable. Make sure you have your wands with you. We will then scale the cliffs on the southern edge of the school, and force entry through the windows in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom on the first floor. We will also have to make several changes to our strategy while inside the castle, so everyone will have to be alert and follow orders.”

“Group Three will be in the quidditch stands using the M1s with scopes,” said McGonagal, as Harry stepped down. “Professor Moody will be your leader and you are to obey his orders at all times, without question or hesitation. Since you are the smallest group, if your location becomes compromised you will retreat to the forest and merge with Group One.”

“If I may?” asked Harry. McGonagal nodded and Harry stepped forward again.

“The centaurs will be in my group as well, but will not break away with me once I do so,” said Harry. “Keep in mind, that there will be crates of rifles left at the gate for the aurors once they arrive, and protecting those is paramount. Therefore, priority for your targets should be as follows: those closest to the gate are at the top, those providing support from the ramparts are next, and those in the open field are last.”

“I will stay at the camp and run tactical guidance,” said McGonagal. “Is there anything else?”

“One last thing,” grunted Moody. “If you run out of ammunition, hold on to your gun to fight with if you need to, and don’t move. Inevitably, we’re going to run out of ammo, and if it’s before Remus and the reinforcements arrive, we’ll have to fight with magic. Do NOT surrender your position under any circumstances.”

“Alright,” said McGonagal. “We are to commence promptly. Group leaders will be given communicators to stay in touch with each other momentarily. Before we do that though, Mister Potter will say a few words for you.”

“Told you,” whispered Hermione as Harry resolutely stepped forward again.

Harry looked out at the crowd again and saw a plethora of different expressions. Those with doubt, those with fear, those with resolution. Making up his mind, he took a deep breath to steady himself.

“It is with a heavy heart that I stand before you,” said Harry solemnly. “A war in which children are forced to fight is a war that should never happen, but it is what we face today. I am saddened that it has come to this, that people I have called my friends for countless years have to fight alongside me, using muggle weapons that have slain millions in the past.” He looked out and saw some downcast expressions at that. “But this is not a day for sadness. It is not a day for doubt, and it is not a day for regret. This is a day that we, together shall make glorious.” He paused. “But not for ourselves.”

Everyone in the crowd perked up at this, curious to hear what Harry had to say next.

“It is true, that this day, and this battle that we are about to fight, will be remembered as the greatest day in our world’s history, and we will each be remembered for having a part in it. But the glory that will follow our victory, will belong to the ones we are fighting for right now. I ask each and every one of you, who are you fighting for right now?”

There was silence in the crowd until a third year in the back yelled out, “My younger sister Abbey!”

“You make the world safe for her!” yelled Harry back, bolstered by the response. “Who else?”

“My parents!” yelled another, this time a fifth year.

“My muggle friends who can’t defend themselves!”

“My mum!” yelled Ron.

“My father!” yelled Luna.

“My aunt, who isn’t around to see the end of this war!” cried Susan Bones.

“My parents!” yelled Neville, standing up, tears of anger in his eyes, “who were tortured mercilessly by Voldemort’s death eaters and now don’t even recognise me!”

There was a shocked silence at his words, as most of the students didn’t know the true fate of Neville’s parents.

“I am also fighting for my parents,” said Harry quietly. “Like so many others, they gave their lives to protect me, and they are responsible for me standing here today.” The crowd was silent, watching Harry with pride in their eyes. “Just as my parents were responsible for saving me, we are now responsible for saving those who would continue living their lives without the oppression of Voldemort. Failure is not an option.”

Harry took another breath to steady himself and continued.

“Voldemort has made a critical mistake. He thinks we are weak. He thinks we are unskilled. He thinks we have no hope. And he has forgotten one simple fact. If we lose, there is no tomorrow for any of us. And that makes us all very dangerous people!”

A cheer erupted from the crowd at this. Harry drew the sword of Gryffindor from its sheath, and held out in front of him, the waning sun shining on the blade.

“This sword belong to a founder of the school, Godric Gryffindor, one who sought to maintain purity throughout the land, and purge the filth who could claim it as their birthright with his two friends, Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw. Today, we accomplish that task once and for all, by purging this world of the filthiest, most disease-ridden, muggle-killing SON OF A BITCH that this world has ever seen! Today, we fight in the name of the Founders! In the name of Hogwarts!”

“And for Dumbledore!” yelled Dean Thomas from the back.

“For Dumbledore!” echoed Harry, a cheer erupting from the crowd as he raised the sword above his head. “For the glory of those we love!”

“Well done,” whispered McGonagal as the students rose in a gigantic cheer, the centaurs watching with bemused reverence.

“I told you that you’d do well,” said Hermione as Harry stepped away.

“I guess I got on a bit of a roll,” said Harry sheepishly.

“Alright everyone, we’re to move out now,” called McGonagal over the noise. “Please ready your weapons and report to your assigned groups to get ready.”

The students picked up their rifles and loaded them with ammunition, storing spare clips of rounds in their pockets.

“Where are Pettigrew and Nagini?” asked Harry. “We do need them for this, after all.”

“Right here,” said Fred carrying a cage with the snake Nagini inside, Pettigrew in anti-magic chains behind him being led by George.

“Good,” replied Harry as students in Group Two began to crowd around him. “What are you two going to be doing during this?”

“Us?” asked Fred with an impish grin. “We have some special surprises to plan just in case some of good old Voldie’s minions show up.”

“You can buy us time?” asked Harry, interested.

“Of course we can,” grinned George, procuring a miniaturized crate of WWW fireworks from his pocket. “Nothing confuses the bad guys like a good old fashioned flash of light, especially at nighttime.”

“You two are ruddy brilliant,” chuckled Harry. “Let’s get this started.”

“Aye, mate,” chuckled Fred, and he and George ran off into the woods to prepare, leaving Pettigrew and Nagini behind with Harry.

“Groups, prepare to move out!” called McGonagal. “Here is your coin, Harry. It will work in synchronization with the repeaters, so you can use it even after the anti-magic field is up.”

“Hold on to this,” said Harry, handing it to Hermione. “You’re better at talking than I am.”

“Thanks,” smiled Hermione dryly, looking over the coin. It was one of the enchanted galleons they had used in their 5th year.

“Compliments of Fred and George,” smiled McGonagal before walking off.

Harry quickly looked over his group and saw that none of his friends, save Dean was in it. Quickly scanning the crowd, he saw Luna and Ron in Group Three with Moody, and Neville and Ginny in Group One with Tonks.

“Are we ready to move, my lord?” asked Magorian, the centaurs walking over to them as Group Three also gathered nearby.

“I think it’s about time,” nodded Harry, taking Pettigrew’s chains and handing them to Ronan, Nagini and her cage went to Bane. “Let’s go.”

The walk to the edge of the forest was a silent one, the only sounds Pettigrew’s whimpers every minute or so, but Harry could feel the anticipative energy from his peers without even looking at them. After ten or so minutes, they reached the edge, Hogwarts looming under a bright full moon in the starless night sky.

“To the front gate,” said Harry. “Do not be hesitant with your steps.”

Harry and his group of a hundred or so reached the gate in mere minutes, stopping at it and turning to face the castle as Group Three continued on silently to the quidditch pitch. Behind him, Harry heard a couple of the centaurs place the extra crates of guns and ammunition by the gate entrance.

“Here I go,” said Harry. “Sonorus.”

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath, praying for a victorious outcome.

“Voldemort!” bellowed Harry. “I accept your offer! Send Hermione’s parents out for a trade!”

He waited a moment.

“Answer me you bastard!”

“You would have me give you my most valuable assets for my pet and a worthless minion?” the amplified voice of Voldemort responded. “Reconsider your offer.”

“Your pet and worthless minion obviously have value to you, or you wouldn’t have offered the trade in the first place!”

“How true,” replied Voldemort. “But you are not getting the mudblood’s parents.”

Harry considered this for a moment.

“Three students then!” he bellowed.

“Three?” asked Voldemort. “Why are you assuming you have the upper hand here, Potter?”

“I’ll kill them!” threatened Harry.

“We have been through this already,” replied Voldemort in an irritated voice. “You kill them, the parents die.”

Harry took a deep breath and prayed Hermione would forgive him for what he was about to do.

“They do not have strategic worth!” yelled Harry. “But Wormtail and Nagini do! If that’s the way it has to be, so be it!”

“Harry...” whispered Hermione, audibly shocked.

“I do not believe you would willingly sacrifice the lives of your disgusting lover’s parents,” replied Voldemort. “But this is the one time I shall play along. Three students of my choosing.”

“Fine!” yelled Harry. “Send them out! Quietus.”

“Harry, I cannot believe you just did that,” whispered Hermione, still shaken.

“I’m sorry,” replied Harry. “There was no other way.”

Far in the distance, the great doors to Hogwarts’ Entrance Hall opened, a deep orange light flooding the grounds. Harry could make out figures making their way down to them, but it wasn’t nearly as many as he had hoped for.

“Fifty at most,” muttered Harry. “Hermione, give me the coin.”

Hermione handed it to him wordlessly. Harry took it, but not before looking into her eyes with all the remorse he could offer. Silently, she nodded and gave him a weak smile of encouragement.

“All groups, do not fire on the death eaters,” said Harry. “There aren’t more than fifty...I’ll have to draw the rest out.”

“How do you plan on doing that?” came Moody’s voice.

“By stirring things up a bit, of course.”

“Don’t do anything rash,” warned Tonks.

“There’s no other play here,” said Harry, and he handed the coin back to Hermione. “Magorian?”

“Yes, my lord?” the centaur replied.

“How accurate are your arrows?” asked Harry.

“We do not miss our targets,” replied the centaur with seriousness.

“When they’re in range, kill all the death eaters and make sure you do not hit the students or me,” said Harry.

“Yes, my lord.”

The centaurs lined up behind Harry and drew their bows, who stood praying that his plan would work.

A moment later two dozen whooshes could be heard, arrows flying through the air and striking their screaming targets a moment later. Harry quickly ran out to meet the three students, who were staggering towards him as best they could in their current condition.

“Seamus!” yelled Harry, recognising the sandy hair of his friend as the second wave of arrows flew over his head.

“Harry,” replied the Irishman. “We don’t have much left.”

“C’mon,” said Harry, picking up one of the younger students while Seamus helped the other one along back to the group, as the last death eater fell.

“You two,” said Harry, pointing to two centaurs. “Help these three back to the camp, and get them aid right away.”

The two centaurs nodded and promptly picked up the injured students, Seamus climbing on the back of one of them, and rode off towards the forest.

“That oughta piss him off,” said Harry. No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the booming voice of Voldemort was heard.

“How very undiplomatic of you Potter. I should kill the mudblood’s parents right now.”

“Sonorus. You do, and my prisoners die!” bellowed Harry.

“We are past negotiations at this point, Potter. You have once again underestimated me, and you shall now pay the price.”

“You don’t scare me!” replied Harry with a grin on his face.

“Then you shall die quicker for your lack of wisdom.”

“Quietus,” muttered Harry. “Ronan, get Pettigrew and Nagini back to the camp, and make sure they’re both well guarded once you get there.”

“Aye, my liege,” nodded the red-haired centaur, grabbing Pettigrew’s chains and Nagini’s cage and galloping off, dragging a shrieking Pettigrew away with him.

“Do you think it’ll work?” asked Hermione.

“Merlin I hope so,” replied Harry.

Once again, in the distance the doors to Hogwarts opened, and this time a wave of black emerged from inside, seemingly never-ending. Smiling, Harry nodded at Hermione, who raised the coin to her mouth.

“All groups, prepare to attack,” she said clearly, and the students in Harry’s group ran around to the front and took up kneeling positions.

“Roger,” replied Tonks.

“Aye,” replied Moody.

Harry took a deep breath and drew the Sword of Gryffindor from its sheath.

“Magorian?”

“Aye, sir.”

“Are you with me?” Harry turned and looked at the centaur, who was looking straight ahead, his face calm and stoic.

“To the death.”

Harry smiled and turned to Hermione, nodding.

“Now,” she said clearly.

Instantly bursts of red and green light rained onto the field from the sides, felling many death eaters and confusing the others.

“Now!” called Hermione again, as the death eaters began to return fire.

A sensation unlike any other Harry had experienced swept through his body. A loud crackling could be heard around them as the anti-magic field powered on, and suddenly Harry felt as though there was nothing special about him...as if he were plain.

“It worked,” smiled Harry.

“All groups, fire!” yelled Hermione.

Gunshots rained upon the death eaters from all sides, more screams could be heard as confusion and turmoil ran rampant through the enemy ranks. Harry could only watch as flashes from the rifles emanated from all sides of the grounds, the enemy dying painfully in the crossfire.

A loud rumbling suddenly reached Harry, and he looked off to the left just in time to see Grawp and Hagrid emerge from the forest, the former wielding two massive trees as clubs and charging into the heart of the death eaters.

“Grawp smash bad things!” yelled the giant. Harry had to stifle a snort at Hagrid’s behavior; he was watching Grawp from near his hut with such pride, he looked as if he was about to cry.

“We’re running low on ammo over here,” said Tonks through the coin.

“Already?” asked Hermione.

“Each student only had four clips each,” she replied.

“Mine too,” said Moody.

“Shite,” muttered Harry.

“Charge them,” said McGonagal through the coin. “They’re disoriented and panicking, use the rifles as melee weapons.”

“Agreed,” said Harry, leveling the Sword of Gryffindor at his enemy. “All units. CHARGE!”

The students sprinted forward from their positions, converging on the death eaters like a pride of lions on a herd of wild zebras, the centaurs overtaking Harry as they charged forward.

The sound left Harry’s ears as the adrenaline took over and he ran his blade through the first black cloak he came to, quickly withdrawing it and wildly attacking other death eaters.

“My lord, the aurors have arrived!” yelled Magorian a moment later over the chaos of the battle. Harry turned and saw the aurors from the Ministry unpacking the crates and loading their rifles.

“Group Two, fall back!” yelled Harry. “Make a lane for the shooters! Regroup at the forest’s edge behind Hagrid’s Hut!”

Quickly, Harry’s group disconnected from the battle, the centaurs moving off to the sides to give the aurors a clean shot at their targets.

Harry sprinted at full speed for the hut, Hermione fast on his trail, arriving there a moment later.

“Is everyone here?” asked Harry as the rest of the group caught up with him, gunshots sounding again in the distance.”

“I think so,” replied Hermione, doing a quick head count. “Yes, everyone’s here.”

“Good,” said Harry. “Come on, let’s move for the lake.”

The group headed a short way into the forest for cover and made their way south, towards the black lake that, despite the warfare taking place only a short distance away, had a perfectly smooth surface, reflecting the moon from the night sky.

“We’re going underwater to help avoid detection,” said Harry, drawing his wand. “We should be out of range of the repeaters by now. Charms up.”

Everyone in the group immediately drew their wands, and a moment later looked as if they were all wearing goldfish bowls.

“In we go,” said Harry, muffled from his own charm.

Harry dove into the freezing lake, Hermione and the rest of the group behind him, making their way a little ways into the depths to avoid being seen near the surface.

Now that he was far from the battle, and the quiet black enveloped him, the wear of the fighting began to creep up on Harry. He could feel his muscles beginning to tire as he pushed through the murky depths, but willed himself not to lose faith, not to give up. There was still so much more that needed to be done.

“What causes you to enter our domain, Harry Potter?” a voice from under him asked harshly, startling Harry.

“Whoa!” jumped Harry, stopping his swim. Three merfolk swam up to him, spears drawn. “We’re not here to bother your kind.”

“Why are you here?” asked the one in the middle.

“A huge battle is taking place on the grounds,” explained Harry. “We’re trying to rescue my fellow classmen while everyone is distracted.”

“A battle?” asked the one on the right.

“Yes,” replied Harry. He was treading water to stay upright, and as he made a stroke, the sleeve of his robe came up and revealed the bracelet on his wrist.

“Where did you get that?” asked the merman in the center, pointing at the bracelet.

“It was given to me by the Sorting Hat,” replied Harry.

“You are a king, then?” asked the mermaid on the left.

“I suppose so,” replied Harry, growing impatient with the conversation. “Look, we don’t have much time, eventually it will be noticed that we’re missing from the battle...we need to get up to the castle now.”

“Very well,” nodded the merman in the center. “Return this way, Harry Potter, we shall protect you and your kind.”

“Thanks,” he replied, as the merfolk swam away, Harry and the rest of his group continuing forward.

They reached the cliffs not too much later, beginning to climb them after removing their charms.

“Be careful,” said Harry softly. “The water will have caused some erosion...make sure you have solid footholds and grips before shifting your weight – ”

There was a shriek and Harry instinctively reached down and grabbed, closing on Hermione’s wrist as the small outcropping of rock she had been standing on cracked and tumbled into the lake below.

“Careful,” said Harry, willing his heart to slow down.

Hermione nodded and regained her footing before continuing to scale the rocks.

They reached the castle shortly thereafter, and lined up along the small ledge they were offered between the classroom and the cliff, Harry aiming his wand at one of the windows.

“Reducto,” said Harry. The glass shattered, and Harry climbed into the classroom, the rest of the group quickly behind him. “Everyone alright?”

Nods and murmurs of assent rippled through the group, and Harry turned towards the door.

“Okay,” said Harry. “Let’s get moving.”

“Not so fast, Potter.”

Harry froze as the door opened, and Lucius Malfoy stepped forward, flanked by twenty death eaters.

---------------

And thar ye have it.

Learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.

I’ll leave that one to your imagination. ;)

I hope you all enjoyed this one, I enjoyed writing it immensely. Until next time!

23. The Prince and the Potter

How lucky for you all that I’m going on vacation starting today (Thursday), and have to update a day in advance. Perhaps a review or two will fall my way as a reward. ;)

Enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 23: The Prince and the Potter

“You’re outnumbered Lucius,” said Harry. “Step down.”

“Not a chance,” replied Malfoy. “Besides, in terms of skill we outnumber your little children five to one at least...now that you don’t have those ghastly muggle weapons. So uncivilized.”

“I wasn’t aware war was about being civil,” replied Harry.

“I suppose not,” snarled Lucius. “But this is where you meet your end.”

“You think I’ve traveled to the depths of hell and back to lose to some death eater?” asked Harry with a cold laugh. “No, the only person who stands even a remote chance of killing me tonight is your lord.”

“You speak as if you think you’re going to win,” said the elder Malfoy.

“No,” said Harry, aiming his wand at Lucius, the bracelet now visible on his extended arm. “I know I’m going to.”

“And what’s that?” chortled Lucius. “Some charm bracelet the mudblood gave to you?”

“Apparently your knowledge of ancient artifacts isn’t all that great if you don’t even recognise the bracelet of the king,” said Harry, taking pleasure in watching Lucius’ face grow serious quite quickly.

“You jest,” replied Lucius.

“Nope, not jesting,” grinned Harry, repeating the words he once said to Bella.

“But can you use it?” asked Lucius. Harry’s smile faltered a bit at this; it occurred to him that he had no idea what powers it gave him or how to use it. “I see not. Very well then, m’lord. Have at you.”

With a flick of his wrist, Lucius sent a jet of green light at Harry, causing him and the students behind him to scatter.

“Attack them!” yelled Harry. “Use the desks for cover!”

Spells were immediately flying all over the classroom, shattering glass and splintering wood as Lucius barked out orders to his own minions.

“Stop using simple jinxes and start trying to kill them!” bellowed Lucius at his death eaters, some of which had been casting Reductor Curses to destroy the desks.

“Mirrors, Harry,” whispered Hermione in his ear urgently. “We need mirrors!”

“Go tell them,” said Harry, in reference to the students. “Conjure ones for those who can’t.”

Hermione nodded and scampered off into the mess of desks to tell the others.

“You seem to be outmatched, Potter!” yelled Lucius over the noise of the conflict. “You’re not even trying to kill us!”

“Don’t need to!” replied Harry. “You’ll do it for me!”

The hesitation from Lucius was all Harry needed, and he hoped Hermione had managed to inform most of the students of the plan.

“Now!” yelled Harry, and five dozen mirrors appeared before the death eaters, sending their own curses back at them, their screaming sounding through the classroom until all that was left were the echoes of the finished battle.

“That worked well,” called Hermione from a little way away, still crouched behind one of the desks.

“Yeah, but Lucius got away,” said Harry, standing up once he was sure none of his opponents were still alive. “Bastard ran for it.”

“You don’t think he’ll try and ambush us, do you?” one of the younger students asked, as everyone else stood up too.

“If he tries, he won’t be able to,” smiled Harry, pulling the Marauder’s Map from his cloak and unfolding it. “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.”

The map began to draw itself as it had done so many times in Harry’s past, and when it was finished, Harry laid it out on one of the remaining intact desks for everyone to see.

“There he is,” said Hermione, pointing to the dot of Lucius Malfoy who was running along the second floor corridor.

“Probably going to tell Voldemort about the bracelet,” said Harry, scanning the map for the Dark Lord, but he was nowhere to be found.

“I don’t see him either,” said Hermione, reading his train of thought. “He might be hiding.”

“True,” said Harry, diverting his attention to the dungeons. Inside the potions classroom were the names of the seven students, with Severus Snape standing just outside the door, but that wasn’t what concerned Harry. Horace Slughorn was hiding in the potion’s office.

“How could he keep himself hidden in there?” asked one of the students.

“Professor Slughorn has an affinity for turning himself into furniture,” replied Harry with a scoff. Quickly scanning the rest of the map, he determined that Trelawney and Draco were nowhere to be found, while Hermione’s parents were being kept in the Divination Classroom at the top of the North Tower.

“I count about forty or so left in the castle,” said Hermione, talking about the death eaters. “Nothing we shouldn’t be able to handle.”

“I agree,” said Harry, picking up the map. “To the dungeons.”

Harry, Hermione, and the rest of the group ran out of the classroom, and took the nearest set of stairs to the dungeon hallway. As they neared the corridor, Harry slowed down and halted everyone behind him. Peering around from where he was, he could see Snape standing motionless just outside the classroom.

“I see him,” whispered Harry. “Alright, here’s what we’re going to do, we’re going to – ”

‘You’re going to do what, Potter?’

The voice was in his head, and not of Voldemort’s, but of Snape’s. Harry said nothing, he merely froze and prayed he was imagining things.

‘No, you are not imagining things,’ said Snape. ‘I could hear your thoughts a kilometer away.’

‘So why haven’t you blown the alarm yet?’ replied Harry in his head.

‘Because there is no need to,’ said Snape. ‘The Dark Lord knows you’re here, and that you won’t simply leave those captured alone.’

‘So what are you going to do?’ asked Harry.

‘Me?’ replied Snape. ‘Nothing. I’m going to stand here while you cast your stunner and pretend like I’m affected by it, while you rescue those pitiful people in the classroom and Slughorn who is right now cleverly disguised as a maroon chintz armchair in my office.’

‘And why would you do that?’ asked Harry skeptically.

‘You really doubted Dumbledore’s confidence in me?’ replied Snape disdainfully. ‘You may be James Potter’s son but you are without a doubt much more of a fool than he was.’

‘You killed Dumbledore,’ pointed out Harry.

‘As if I had a choice,’ replied Snape. ‘Draco was never going to do it. He didn’t have it in him. The moment I arrived up there it fell to me, not only because of the Unbreakable Vow I had with his mother, but because the Dark Lord expected it.’

‘Speaking of Draco, where is he?’ asked Harry.

‘I do not know,’ replied Snape. ‘Hiding, most likely. If he isn’t on that infernal map of yours then he’s safe. Or dead.’

‘Prove to me you’re on our side,’ said Harry, wanting reassurance.

‘Potter, you are wasting time and being an idiot,’ replied Snape. ‘I have already told you what you need to do, and as every second ticks the Dark Lord’s army draws closer to this castle. Get on with it already.’

“Stupefy,” said Harry softly, aiming his wand at Snape. At jet of red light flew from it and impacted cleanly, sending Snape sprawling to the ground.

“Harry?” asked Hermione, as Harry moved out from behind the corner, his wand still trained on the presumably unconscious Snape.

“Get everyone out,” said Harry. “Slughorn is disguised as a maroon armchair.”

“How do you know?” asked Hermione.

“I’ll tell you some other time,” replied Harry. “Just do it.” When no one moved, he looked over his shoulder. “Now!” he barked.

Immediately the group sprang to action, the students rushing forward and wrenching the door to the classroom open, while Hermione went to the office and got Slughorn.

‘At least you’ve wisened up some,’ said Snape, as Harry stood over his body.

‘Won’t Voldemort kill you for this?’ asked Harry.

‘I am counting on your ridiculously average skills to destroy him,’ replied Snape. ‘I would assume you haven’t done something so foolish as to attack without destroying all of the horcruxes.’

‘You knew?’ asked Harry.

‘Of course I knew,’ spat Snape. ‘Dumbledore always told me everything.’

‘What did you do to convince him you were on our side?’ asked Harry as the tortured students started being helped out of the classroom behind him.

‘I gave him your parents,’ replied Snape, his voice changing to a tone Harry had never heard him use before.

‘What do you mean?’ asked Harry.

‘The night the Dark Lord went to Godric’s Hollow...I knew about it, and I told Dumbledore it was going to happen.’

‘Dumbledore would’ve prevented it,’ said Harry.

‘He tried...but he was too late,’ said Snape. ‘I found out about it about an hour before it was to happen. I alerted Dumbledore the moment I got away for a moment but by the time he arrived the house was already destroyed. That’s how he happened upon your father’s invisibility cloak, as it were.’

‘If he was there, why did he send Hagrid to pick me up?’ asked Harry.

‘It would’ve looked extremely strange if Dumbledore showed up at the place Voldemort was supposed to be, somewhere that Voldemort wasn’t even supposed to know about only a few minutes after the attack. Albus was extremely powerful, but even he wouldn’t have heard about news that quickly. So instead he sent Hagrid, and avoided tipping his hand at all of the fact that he had advance information.’

‘I don’t know why...but for some reason I believe you,’ said Harry.

‘Because it’s the truth,’ replied Snape. ‘Now hurry up, Granger’s parents are waiting.’

Harry turned and saw the last of the students being helped out of the classroom, Slughorn standing off to the side with Hermione.

“Everyone’s all set, Harry,” said Hermione.

“Have them go back with Slughorn,” said Harry, not turning away from Snape. “We need to get your parents alone.”

“Why?” asked Hermione.

“The ladder to Trelawney’s room makes it impossible for many more than two people to get in without being completely vulnerable,” replied Harry. “Move.”

The rest of his group moved away with Slughorn, leaving Harry, Hermione, and Snape in the corridor alone. Once the group was out of earshot, Snape brushed himself off and got up.

“You’re awake?” said Hermione rather loudly.

“Quiet down, Granger, or else you’ll alert everyone to my intentions,” said Snape. “I will be hiding in the entrance hall. Once you rescue her parents, we will travel together to safety.”

“How can we trust you?” spat Hermione.

“It’s okay,” said Harry.

“What?!” exclaimed Hermione. Snape rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Keep a tighter leash on her, Potter, or she’ll get you caught.”

“How dare you,” said Hermione, making to advance on him, but Harry held his arm out.

“Trust me, Hermione. We can let him go. If he runs to Voldemort he’ll just die alongside him.”

“How pleasant,” droned Snape facetiously. “Now get a move on.” And without another word he walked off in the opposite direction.

“Let’s go, Hermione,” said Harry. “We can’t linger.”

“How could you let him walk away like that?” asked Hermione.

“Because he’s on our side,” as Harry turned back towards the stairs that would take him up to the North Tower.

“How do you know?”

“It’s a bit of a story, and I’ll tell you when we get back,” replied Harry.

“You sound just like Dumbledore,” said Hermione. “Telling everyone to trust Snape but not saying why.”

“I suppose I do.”

“And look at what it got him.”

Harry stopped mid-step and turned to face Hermione, who looked properly ashamed for what she had said.

“I will forgive you for that,” said Harry.

“I’m sorry,” whispered Hermione.

“Do you trust me?” asked Harry, repeating the words he had said to her so many months ago.

“Of course,” she nodded.

“Trust me this one time,” said Harry. “I promise.”

“Okay.”

“Now let’s go get your parents back,” he said, taking off for the tower.

They ran for a while until they reached the spiraling staircase that would take them up to the top of the tower, and which point Harry stopped and opened the map.

“There are three guards stationed at the base of the tower and two more inside the room,” said Harry. “So we’ll stun the first three right away and bind them.”

“Sounds good to me,” said Hermione, drawing her wand.

They ran up the stairs and, upon arriving at the landing, downed the three death eaters with little difficulty and bound them with anti-magic ropes Hermione had bought along.

“Now what?” asked Hermione.

“You should go first,” said Harry, looking up at the closed trapdoor. “That door is soundproof, so the guards up there won’t have heard what just happened. Because you’ll go first they won’t be expecting you and you should be able to find cover before they can react. I’ll go second and hopefully won’t be hit while I’m coming through.”

“Alright,” said Hermione, and moved towards the ladder, but Harry grabbed her arm and kissed her passionately before she could react.

“For luck,” smiled Harry.

Hermione nodded and placed her wand between her teeth, Harry doing likewise as they both scaled the ladder. When Hermione reached the top, she looked down quickly at Harry for confirmation. Harry nodded and he heard her take a deep breath as she forced her way through the trapdoor and quickly dove for cover as spells began to fly.

Without hesitation, he pointed his wand at the ceiling of the classroom.

“Accio!” he exclaimed, and was quite pleased when the spell worked as he intended and he flew into the air above him.

“Stupefy!” bellowed Harry while still airborne, aiming at one of the two death eaters who were both so taken aback at his entrance that it caught one of them square in the chest.

Hermione quickly stunned the other one and Harry landed quite unceremoniously on his arse with a loud thud.

“Mum! Dad!” yelled Hermione, running over to her parents who were blindfolded, bound, and gagged by the front of the classroom. Harry frowned as he saw the bruises on their faces, and Marilyn’s leg still broken in an unnatural angle.

“‘ermione?” asked Dennis Granger. Hermione quickly undid the blindfolds so her parents could see her and Harry rushed over to assist with undoing the ropes.

“Hermione!” exclaimed Marilyn and she and Dennis quickly embraced their daughter in a tearful hug. It occurred to Harry that he had never formally met Hermione’s parents and was suddenly overcome with a slight nervousness.

“We need to go,” said Hermione quickly. “They’ll be looking for us...what’s wrong Harry?”

“Oh, er...nothing,” said Harry. “Yeah, we should get moving.”

“Alright, then,” said Dennis moving for the trapdoor, but quickly jumped out of the way as a blast of green light came shooting up through.

Harry instantly conjured a mirror on the ceiling and fired a stunner back down through the trapdoor, which he assumed hit its target based on the shriek that followed.

“Wow,” said Marilyn in awe. “That was rather impressive.”

“Thanks,” replied Harry sheepishly.

“Harry,” breathed Hermione. “Look.”

Harry turned and saw Hermione looking out the window onto the grounds where the battle was still raging, a full blown melee now taking place between the groups and the death eaters.

“Seems a bit strange, doesn’t it?” asked Harry.

“No, that’s not what I’m talking about,” said Hermione, pointing off into the distance.

Harry squinted out at the grounds. In the very far distance, Harry could see traces of a brightening sky, but he had no doubt that wasn’t what Hermione was referring to. Looking out past Hogsmeade, he saw what seemed to be an immense shadow moving very quickly towards Hogwarts. Quickly, he glanced in the sky and due to the full moon determined that there were no clouds to cast any shadows.

“Oh bloody hell,” said Harry. “Voldemort’s army.”

“We have to get out of here. Now,” said Hermione.

“Hurry,” said Harry, helping Hermione’s parents over to the trapdoor and down the ladder. “They’ll be here in less than ten minutes.”

“Are you alright to run?” asked Hermione, as they reached the landing.

“I am,” replied Dennis. “Your mother might not be...they got her leg badly when we were captured.”

“It’s fine,” said Harry, conjuring a floating stretcher. “We can carry you.”

“I won’t slow you down?” asked Marilyn.

“No,” said Harry, as Hermione helped her mother onto the stretcher. “We need to go.”

They quickly made their way to the entrance hall, which was devoid of Snape or any other death eaters.

“Snape?” called Harry into the emptiness, the echoes of battle reaching them through the now closed doors.

“That took you far too long,” said Snape, emerging from the broom cupboard Harry and Hermione had once hid in four years prior. “We must hurry.”

“Yeah we know that already,” replied Harry, wrenching the front doors open.

“Bloody hell,” said Dennis, his mouth dropping.

The battle was still raging fiercely, but Voldemort’s death eaters had reached the gates and were now pouring onto the grounds and engaging the students. The Weasley Twins’ fireworks were going off left and right, disorienting the death eaters, but it was clear that they alone weren’t going to be enough.

“Shite!” exclaimed Harry. “We have no way out!”

“We have to make a break for it,” said Snape. “Or we’ll be completely locked in.”

“Let’s go then,” replied Harry, grabbing the front of the stretcher and sprinting out and to his right, feeling the anti-magic field take effect again.

“Where the bloody hell is Remus?” asked Hermione, exasperated.

No sooner had the words left her mouth, than there was an enormous explosion at the front gate, sending death eaters flying into the air with shrieks. Through the fire left from the explosion came an enormous mob, pitchforks and torches held aloft.

“I TOLD YE TO LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE G’DAMMIT!” roared the man in the front, wielding a somewhat-familiar double-barreled shotgun.

“McCleary,” breathed Harry. “Remus got all of Godric’s Hollow!”

“Let’s not linger,” said Snape. “The Dark Lord will by now have surely – ”

“Surely what?” asked Harry, watching as the villagers plowed forward, mowing down the death eaters as they advanced. When Snape didn’t respond, Harry looked at him and was surprised to see a look of incredulity on the former potions master’s face.

“He knows,” said Snape, gripping his left arm. “He figured it out.”

“Figured what out?” asked Hermione.

There was a loud crackling from above them, and lightning arced across the sky with a tremendous crash. And suddenly, Harry felt magic course through him again.

“He lifted the anti-magic field,” said Hermione.

Jets of light suddenly lit up the field, and the battle became even once again as both death eater and villager fell alike.

“Go,” said Snape. “While you still can.”

“What?” asked Harry, but it was too late. A red glow suddenly appeared atop the Astronomy Tower, pulsing menacingly.

“Damnit, Potter, stop being a fool and run!” yelled Snape, shoving Harry away from him.

Harry scrambled away from Snape, taking the stretcher with him while Hermione and her father followed, until they were at the edge of the forest. Hiding behind trees, they watched as the glow started to gather at the apex of the tower, forming a dark red sphere crackling with energy.

“What the hell is he doing?” asked Harry from behind his tree, watching Snape stand facing the tower.

“He’s ending it,” whispered Hermione.

“What? How?” asked Harry.

Hermione didn’t have to answer. The sphere of energy exploded into forks of crimson energy, rampaging untamed across the night sky for a moment, then converging and streaking towards their target standing facing them on the grounds below.

“It is time to end this game of yours my lord,” yelled Snape.

He raised his wand to meet the blast and waited for its arrival. The energy struck the tip a moment later and, much to Harry’s surprise, the massive column of crimson had frozen at the end of Snape’s wand, as if he was holding it in place.

“So you serve Dumbledore to the death, even after killing him?” the voice of Voldemort asked.

“For the record,” yelled Snape, ripping the left sleeve of his cloak off to reveal the Dark Mark. “I SERVE NO ONE BUT MYSELF!”

Harry watched with wide eyes as Snape used all of his strength and slowly muscled the tip of his wand to right above the Dark Mark.

The sinister laugh that he let out as the tip of his wand connected would not be one Harry would ever forget. The energy splintered into several thousand different bolts, and instantly flew over the battlefield, piercing the bodies of everyone on the grounds bearing the Mark.

The last piercing screams faded away into silence, before cheers erupted from the students and villagers who had survived the melee.

Harry stood and walked out from behind the tree, looking at the smoldering corpse that was Snape, his features barely recognisable.

“Guys!” yelled Neville, running over to them.

“Neville!” yelled Harry. “Where’s everyone else?”

“We’re all okay for the most part,” said Neville, coming to a stop. “Ginny broke her arm, but she’s alright.”

“Good,” said Harry. “We need to get back and regroup so we can – ”

“So you can regroup, Potter?” the voice of Voldemort echoed over the grounds. “You will do no such thing.”

“Says who, Tom?” bellowed Harry.

“Says me.”

“Harry!” screamed Hermione. Harry bolted around just in time to see Hermione’s feet leave the ground as she went flying up to the demolished Astronomy Tower.

“Hermione!” bellowed Harry, making to go after her.

“Harry, you can’t!” yelled Neville, throwing out his arms.

“Why not?” exclaimed Harry.

“Because of the you know whats,” whispered Neville. It took Harry a moment to figure out that Neville was talking about Nagini.

“Alright,” nodded Harry. “These are Hermione’s parents. Take them back to the camp, and then eliminate the problem.”

“What about you?” asked Dennis, kneeling next to his wife.

“I’m going to get your daughter back.”

And without a word, Harry sprinted off back towards the castle, his eyes glancing at the dead body of Snape as he passed it.

---------------

I want to clarify something real quick so I don’t get grief over it in the reviews. In canon, the Avada Kedavra is defined by Moody in Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14.

“There is no countercurse, there is no blocking it.”

He does not say that it cannot be reflected, and since it is MY belief that magic works the same way light does (that is, exhibits properties of both particles and waves), I say it can be reflected. So nyah.

Love is the source of both humanity’s greatest weakness and greatest strength.

Remember that well.

Next chapter, the exciting final battle!

24. The Final Justice

And here we are for the exciting final battle! There will be two chapters left after this one, and then we’re done with this story. For now though, enjoy!

---------------

Chapter 24: The Final Justice

The blood was pounding in Harry’s ears as he flew through the deserted corridors towards his destination, oblivious to all else around him. He didn’t see the Hogwarts ghosts peer out at him from their hiding places inside suits of armor, he didn’t see Peeves watch him curiously while writing ‘Voldemort has moldy shorts’ in blue paint on one of the walls, and he certainly didn’t see that the door to the Room of Requirement was slightly ajar as he sprinted past it.

Everything was a blur as Harry ran up the last set of stairs three at a time, finally reaching the door leading to the terrace on the top. Not wasting a moment, he threw it open and dashed outside, noticing that the ramparts and many stones from the floor had been destroyed from the blast that Voldemort sent at Snape.

“Took you long enough, Potter,” said Voldemort, the dark blue of the sky showing signs of the sun starting to rise.

“Where’s Hermione?” spat Harry, wand pointed at his foe.

“The mudblood?” asked Voldemort. “Why, she’s right here.”

He snapped his fingers and Harry heard a shriek from above. He looked up to see Hermione falling towards the stone, and quickly sent a jet of gray light at her, which enveloped her body and slowed her descent, landing with a soft thud.

“Pity,” said Voldemort. “I so would have liked to see her splat.”

“Is this all you’re capable of, Tom?” asked Harry, helping Hermione to her feet. “Resorting to childish and tactically weak measures now that you’ve lost your supporters?”

“I haven’t lost all of them, Potter,” smiled Voldemort, looking over Harry’s shoulder.

Harry turned around just in time to see Lucius cast a full-body bind, and was in no position to evade it. The spell struck him and he felt his body go rigid, Hermione’s eyes filled with fear.

“Potter, Potter, Potter,” grinned Voldemort, as Lucius grabbed Hermione’s arm and dragged her over next to the Dark Lord. “Time and time again you prove your idiocy. It doesn’t matter how much you have prepared, how much you’ve trained, or how much you’ve planned. I will always be victorious.”

Harry nearly opened his mouth to retort, and then suddenly became aware that he had the ability to open his mouth. Wondering what was going on, and thankful that his wand was still gripped tightly in his hand, he lay silent, waiting for his opportunity.

“I have waited for this moment for seventeen years, Harry Potter,” said Voldemort, raising his wand. “Avada – ”

“Reducto!” bellowed a voice from behind Harry. He quickly took his chance and fired a stunner at Voldemort, but it was easily dodged as the curse the unknown person cast struck Lucius in the gut and blasted him backwards onto the stone floor.

Voldemort quickly waved his wand and unleashed a ball of fire at the door leading back downstairs, which exploded on impact and decimated the wood and stone it touched. Quickly, Harry scampered to his feet, wand trained on his enemy.

“Hmm,” said Tom frowning, appraising the situation. Lucius was lying in a pool of his own blood, barely conscious, and lying underneath the wreckage the fireball had caused, was Draco. “People seem to keep getting in the way of me killing you.”

“Must be prophecy,” said Harry sarcastically.

“Touche,” said Voldemort, walking over to the younger Malfoy. “And just where did you come from?”

“I’ve been hiding in the castle all along,” spat Draco. “Right under your very nose.”

Harry quietly edged over to where Hermione was standing, embracing her protectively as Voldemort and Draco had their words.

“Really?” asked Voldemort curiously. “How exciting.”

“Yeah,” replied Draco. “Guess you never found out about the Room of Requirement when you were here. You were too busy trying to kill the mudbloods for yourself.”

“Yes, I was,” nodded Voldemort. “And?”

“Er...”

“I didn’t think you’d have anything else to say,” said Voldemort, raising his wand. “Die.”

There was a flash and a cloud of smoke as he brought his wand down upon Draco, but no spell emerged from the tip of it. Harry recognised the smoke as the result of some sort of flash bomb Fred and George had been working on, and when it cleared, Draco was nowhere to be found.

“Ungrateful brat,” coughed Voldemort. Harry watched in astonishment as his nemesis walked over to Lucius and shook his head.

“My lord,” said Lucius weakly, blood trickling from the corners of his mouth. “Please. Help me.”

“Lucius, my slippery friend, what would you have me do?” sighed Voldemort. “You completely, utterly failed in raising your only son to serve me, and as a result, that –” he pointed at Harry, “ – is still alive. You have failed me too many times, Lucius.”

“Please, my lord...” begged the elder Malfoy, but it was all for naught.

“Avada Kedavra.”

The green light quickly sped from the tip of Voldemort’s wand, and caught Lucius in the chest, his soul speeding from his body just as quickly.

“Now then,” said Voldemort, turning around to face Harry and Hermione. “Back to business.”

“Your business is with me,” said Harry. “Not her.”

“On the contrary, Potter, she is your true weakness,” smiled Voldemort. “Just having her here makes you worried for her safety.”

There was truth in Voldemort’s words, both Harry and Hermione knew it.

“So what’s your weakness, Tom?” asked Harry. “Underestimating your enemy?”

“I have no weaknesses,” replied Voldemort, advancing on them. “I am the perfect man.”

“And yet you would harm those who are innocent?” asked Harry. “Sounds far from perfect to me.”

“Imperfect people, such as the filth who is clinging to you are not innocent,” said Riddle. “They are parasites who leech off the pure and glorious powers of the strong.”

“You’re a half-blood, you know,” Harry pointed out. “Maybe you’re just angry that your muggle father left your mum, after he realised she had seduced him with a love potion.”

“How do you know about that?” asked Voldemort, anger flaring in his eyes.

“I know a lot more than that,” smiled Harry. “I also know that your mother was a squib in the eyes of your uncle and your grandfather, even though she was somewhat decent at magic.”

Voldemort was now positively trembling with rage, although his red eyes did not leave Harry’s.

“Personally?” asked Harry. “I think you just needed a hug when you were younger.”

“THAT IS ENOUGH!” bellowed Voldemort, sending an unfamiliar yellow spell at Harry and Hermione. Harry quickly pushed Hermione out of the way, but anticipating this, Voldemort leveled his wand at her and once again she flew into his grasp.

“Let go of me you feculence,” said Hermione, trying to wrench out of his grip.

“I know what that means, you stupid bint,” said Voldemort, striking her in the face with the back of his hand.

“Don’t you dare hit her,” spat Harry.

“I’ll do whatever I want to her,” smiled Voldemort, lifting his wand to her neck. “I can torture her, I can kill her...” an expression came over his face that suggested he just had a really good idea. “I can even make her want me.”

Harry watched in revulsion as Voldemort flicked his wand at her and muttered, “Imperio.” Her eyes glazed over and she leaned into his body as if to comfort him.

“Can’t kill me if she’s in the way,” grinned Riddle.

‘C’mon, beat it Hermione,’ urged Harry silently. He could see the conflict in her eyes, the battle between her mind and Voldemort’s. Suddenly, the glaze disappeared and she reached up and slammed her fist straight into her attacker’s face.

“You impure slut,” said Voldemort, reaching out and closing his hand around her throat.

Harry promptly fired a disarming curse at Riddle, but to his horror his enemy lifted his wand, and with a flick the curse seemed to impact on an invisible shield surrounding him and Hermione, dissipating into nothingness.

“Temper, Potter,” said Voldemort, flicking his wand again. A bolt of red energy, much like the one that he had used against Snape shot out at Harry and struck him in the chest.

A searing pain overcame him, both in his body and his scar. Harry collapsed to one knee as the sensation of being burned alive overtook him, and he struggled to keep his eyes open. Vaguely, he could hear Hermione screaming his name, but was in too much pain to lift his gaze to her. The three black runes on the bracelet began to glow, but since it was hidden by the sleeve of his robes, went unnoticed.

“And now Potter,” said Voldemort, Harry hearing the voice clearly as if he was right next to the speaker. “You shall watch the mudblood die, right before I finish you.”

Harry forced his gaze upward, tears from the blinding pain blurring his vision. He barely saw Hermione’s body go rigid, her eyes wide, and her mouth open slightly in an expression of mixed surprise and pain as her feet left the ground.

“No...” whispered Harry, as he felt the metallic taste of blood on his tongue.

“Too little, too late,” cackled Voldemort, flicking his wand around, making Hermione’s body react to his movements, as if conducting some twisted orchestra. “Crucio.”

Hermione’s scream pierced Harry’s mind, his thoughts once blurry and jumbled now clear and focused. Summoning all his energy, he forced his hand to clutch the pendant around his chest, which was surprisingly cool despite the fire Harry felt about his body.

“I will NOT. LET. YOU. HURT. HER!” he roared, the energy from the pendant flaring up and streaking towards its target, impacting on Hermione’s body in bolts of silver light. Harry collapsed to the ground, spent of energy, as Hermione fell unconscious to the ground next to Voldemort, the curse upon her broken.

“Again, you thwart me,” sighed Voldemort, walking towards him. Harry lay on his stomach, all his strength gone from him as a warm raindrop landed on the back of his neck. He saw Voldemort crouch down next to him and pull the pendant from around his neck. Fear momentarily overtook Harry, until he saw a clean crack in the middle of the gem, all its sparkle and aura gone. “Eternium. To think you had such a treasure and used it to save the mudblood instead of killing me, you truly are a fool.”

Harry could only muster up a weak chuckle as Voldemort threw the broken pendant on the ground beside him and stood up, taking Harry’s wand from his hand as he did so.

“You now have no means of stopping me from killing her, or you, for that matter,” said Riddle. Harry inwardly sighed and closed his eyes, realising the accuracy of Voldemort’s statement. He was pondering to himself how he had lost, when suddenly the strength in his muscles returned to him, the lingering pain disappearing along with the fatigue the battle had tolled on him.

“I’m not done yet,” said Harry, taking his feet unsteadily, drawing the Sword of Gryffindor from the sheath on his belt.

“Even after all of that, you still have the strength to face me?” asked Voldemort, turning around. “Very well, Potter. I shall make your death that much worse then. Avada Kedavra.”

Harry lifted the sword and let the spell strike it, the green energy glancing off into the night sky as it did so.

“A battle of arms it is, then,” said Riddle, transforming his own wand into a sword.

Harry didn’t wait for another monologue, he charged at his foe gripping his blade tightly, swinging it in a wide arc as Voldemort easily parried the attack.

“How unproductive,” lamented Voldemort.

“You’re not one to talk,” said Harry. “I did kill your most ‘honorable ancestor’ after all.”

“Salazzar?” asked Voldemort curiously. “So that’s what those idiotic beasts were hiding in the forest.”

“You seem to be well informed,” said Harry as the loud clang of their two blades glancing off each other sounded in the predawn light.

“In my business one should be,” replied Voldemort. “And if you killed him, that means you also have something else I should know about.”

The next strike forced Harry to close his stance with a block, and Voldemort reached out and tore the right sleeve of Harry’s cloak, revealing the bracelet.

“So Lucius was telling the truth,” smiled Voldemort, dancing back as Harry took a long swing at him.

“I suppose he was,” replied Harry, resetting his stance.

“But that means you don’t know how to use it either,” smiled Voldemort, rushing forward.

“And what makes you say that?” asked Harry, blocking his enemy’s strike.

“I would already be dead if you did,” replied Voldemort.

That sentence made Harry pause for a moment, wondering how he could possibly activate the bracelet, and the brief lapse in his actions was enough for Voldemort to dart forward and cut through the robes on Harry’s left arm, and the skin that they covered.

Harry drew back in pain, clutching his arm as blood poured down it and fell in large drops onto the stone, red as the eastern sky.

“In such pain, will you be able to fight me to your fullest?” asked Voldemort, holding out his sword.

Harry knew inwardly that he probably wouldn’t be able to. The pain was very distracting and he could no longer use his left hand if he needed to. The slight tinge of fear didn’t escape Voldemort, and he let out a loud laugh. Neither he nor Harry saw the red runes on the bracelet glow slightly.

“I do admit, such undistinguished means of dueling do bore me,” said Voldemort. “I think I shall end this now.”

With a loud crack he vanished.

Harry frantically spun around, looking for any sign of his enemy, when suddenly he found himself in a headlock from his rear, with a sword pointed at his throat.

“I thought you couldn’t apparate inside Hogwarts grounds,” choked Harry.

“That was no apparition, just a clever means of disguise and a loud noise to make you think I had apparated,” replied Voldemort. “The battle is over. When the books of history are telling this story, they will say, ‘thus perished Harry Potter’.”

Voldemort moved to plunge the sword into Harry’s throat, but there was a loud, shrill cry from above, and both looked up to see Fawkes speeding down at them in a flurry of red and gold feathers.

Voldemort was forced to duck to avoid the bird’s attack, and Harry used the momentary distraction to get away.

“Bloody phoenix!” yelled Voldemort, firing a killing curse at Fawkes that missed by several meters.

“Tom Riddle!” yelled a voice from far above them. Harry and Voldemort both looked up into the cloudless light blue sky, but were greeted with nothing.

“Who goes there?!” yelled Voldemort.

“If I have said it once, I have said it a million times!” roared the voice. “I will NOT let you harm Harry Potter!”

A loud cry of a phoenix sounded from all sides though it was not from Fawkes. Suddenly, a great white phoenix rose from below the edge of the tower, large as an albatross, and swung a great wing at Voldemort, knocking him to the ground.

“Impossible,” he muttered, regaining a standing position. “You’re supposed to be dead, Dumbledore!”

“Am I not?” asked the great white bird, circling above their heads. “I wasn’t aware that I was still alive.”

Harry was filled with courage and hope at the sight of his once-deceased mentor, even in his present form. He was about to remark to himself how amazing the phoenix was, when a slight tingling on his right arm caught his attention. Looking down, he saw the three blue runes of hope glowing, along with the other six that were also pulsing with energy. Quickly, he put his arm behind his back so that Voldemort wouldn’t notice.

“Of course Snape didn’t kill you,” spat Voldemort. “Cast some fake curse and instead you did some magic to turn yourself into that.”

“No, I can assure that Severus did kill me,” replied Dumbledore. “But contrary to what you think, I am aware that there are things far worse than death.”

“There is nothing worse than death!” yelled Voldemort.

“Perhaps not for you,” replied Dumbledore. “But you’ll know soon enough.”

“What?” asked Voldemort, and turned to see Harry standing looking at him. Giving a tremendous roar, he flew forward, and Harry barely had time to block his strike.

A flurry of attacks rained down upon him, the silver steel of Voldemort’s blade flying with a tremendous amount of ferocity that Harry was having trouble concentrating on trying to counterattack.

‘You don’t need to, Harry,’ said Dumbledore’s voice inside his head. ‘You just need to activate the bracelet.’

‘How do I do that?’ asked Harry urgently, barely avoiding another swing.

‘Just fill the last emotion,’ replied Dumbledore.

‘Light...’ thought Harry. ‘I need light.’

And suddenly it dawned on Harry.

Literally.

The sun peaked over the top of the eastern mountains, casting its warm glow upon them. Harry quickly darted away from Voldemort, who was disoriented from the light, and turned the bracelet about his wrist so that the last three runes were directly in the sunlight.

Instantly all twelve runes turned golden, glowing with the brightness of the justice the completed circle represented. And Harry knew what he had to do.

“Tom Riddle!” he yelled, turning to meet his enemy. Voldemort saw him holding his arm above his head and took a step back. “You look scared.”

Voldemort said nothing, only bared his teeth in anger.

“And the history books shall say, ‘thus perished Tom Riddle’.”

And Harry closed his eyes, and thought of all the injustices and atrocities that Voldemort had directly or indirectly committed. His parents...

“Please, take me...not Harry,” begged Lily.

“Step aside foolish woman,” replied Voldemort

Neville’s parents...

“We’ll have fun with you two,” laughed Bellatrix as Frank and Alice Longbottom huddled together in the corner of the alley they were in.

Sirius’ imprisonment...

“No, no, my liege,” smiled Wormtail. “They think the secret keeper is Black. We’ll be able to frame him for it for sure!”

And the countless other senseless murders that had taken place since his rise to power. Looking at Voldemort he smiled, pointed at him with his right hand, and thought of the one last thing he needed to finish the job.

“I love you Harry,” smiled Hermione. “And I always will.”

Twelve great flashes of golden light erupted from the runes on the bracelet and instantly converged on Voldemort’s body. His scream echoed throughout the dawn, and a moment later it ceased, a smoldering body the only remains of his wickedness. Harry walked over to where Voldemort had dropped his wand and picked it up, sheathing the Sword of Gryffindor as he did so.

“You did well, Harry,” said Dumbledore from above him.

“Thank you, sir,” nodded Harry.

“Fawkes and I must attend to your friends, no doubt there are some who could certainly use our healing powers after that battle of yours.”

“Of course,” smiled Harry. “Wait...that wasn’t a raindrop I felt earlier...was it?”

“That was Fawkes’ impeccable aim,” replied Dumbledore with a hint of mirth in his voice.

“Thank you,” smiled Harry at the smaller, red bird, which chirped in response to him.

“We’ll be waiting for you,” said Dumbledore.

And with that, he and Fawkes swooped off towards the forest far below.

From a little ways off, Hermione’s eyes opened slightly. Harry smiled and walked over, kneeling down once he was beside her.

“Is it over?” she asked.

“It’s over,” replied Harry with a grin. “We did it.”

“Oh thank god,” she said, throwing herself into his embrace.

“Are you alright?” asked Harry, holding her tightly. Hermione nodded, unable to form any words. “I’m glad. I thought for a moment that he –”

Hermione looked up at him when he didn’t finish the sentence.

“Harry?”

“AUGHHHHHHHHHHH!” screamed Harry, rolling over onto his side.

An immense pain was pulsing in his head, as if trying to explode his very brain.

“Harry!” shrieked Hermione, as he curled up into a fetal position and began rocking back and forth.

‘So you destroyed my horcruxes, did you?’ asked Voldemort in Harry’s head. ‘You missed one.’

‘We got them all,’ ground out Harry, tears streaming down his cheeks from the pain.

‘Fool,’ replied Voldemort. ‘The snake was merely my pet...my companion. You, on the other hand, are something else entirely.’

‘How did this happen?’ asked Harry, nearly blacking out from the pain while Hermione could only watch helplessly, not knowing what was going on.

‘That night at Godric’s Hollow, I did not expect to turn you into a horcrux, but I did, involuntarily, when I killed your mother,’ replied Voldemort. ‘I had already set the process up to happen when I killed you, but when the curse rebounded onto me, all the preparation set itself off, and a portion of my soul was transferred to you. How very ironic.’

Harry screamed in agony again as the pain intensified.

‘How does it feel to hold my presence, Potter?’ asked Voldemort. ‘You should be honored.’

And Harry realised there was only one thing he could do. Taking his wand, he placed the tip of it to his temple.

‘You don’t have the balls.’

“I’m sorry, Hermione,” he cried.

“Harry...no...” she sobbed, knowing what he was about to do.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!”

And everything went black.

---------------

This week, I have a little quote from a VERY good James Bond movie that I think is appropriate for this chapter.

The difference between insanity and ingenious is measured only by success.

I know the chapter was short, but it turned out the way I wanted it to. And I’m sorry for the evil cliffy...easily the worst of the story. Fear not though! There’s more. And I hope to see you all again in two weeks for it!

Oh, and on a side note, back in October I got off my lazy ass and finally took the SATs...my lowest score was in writing. Go figure. ;)

25. The Other Side

Hehehehehe.

And I bet all of you thought I was gonna make you wait two weeks for this chapter, didn’t you? Well, I decided not to. The epic cliffy aside, there’s a good reason for me putting this chapter out this week, and I’ll enlighten you on that subject at the beginning of the last chapter (which WILL be out two weeks from this one).

That aside, I want to take a moment to note two landmarks that last chapter gave to this story. The first is 700 reviews. Only a handful of stories reach that mark (I’d say maybe 3-4%, or 150-200 of the 5000 or so stories posted on PK), and being able to stake claim to having one of them is an achievement that I will always be proud of.

The other is that in the same week, the story also crossed the 100,000 hits mark. Unfortunately I don’t know how great of an accomplishment that is, as only the author of a given story can see how many hits it has, but still, I personally think it’s a pretty big number, and that ALSO makes me very proud of this creation of mine. Thank you all for helping this story to be as great for me as it is for you.

I honestly think that this chapter is something you’ll all enjoy, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 25: The Other Side

A comforting warmth greeted Harry’s senses.

As he slowly began to regain consciousness, the sensation of not being contained by the restrictions of gravity greeted him. Feeling energy returning to his body, he opened his eyes and was greeted with a dark blue surrounding. Taking a breath, Harry made to look around his surroundings when suddenly he realised that he was submerged in water.

‘Am I...am I dead?’ he asked himself. Breathing was not difficult for him, nor did it feel like water was being filtered through gills, much like it had when he had used the gillyweed. It was almost effortless, as if he was breathing the cleanest of air.

Deciding he couldn’t stay floating underwater forever, he made for the surface far above. The slight trepidation Harry felt at the observation that there was no fatigue in his muscles, was offset only by the fact that his body wasn’t transparent. The bracelet, though still firmly affixed on his wrist, was no longer glowing.

Breaching the surface a minute later, Harry brushed the wet hair out of his eyes and looked around, stunned at the sight that lay before him.

He was swimming in a crystal blue sea, the water clearer than he had ever seen it. No father than a kilometer away, was a large mountain island covered in tropical vegetation. As it was the only land in sight, Harry started swimming towards it with hopes of finding out where he was.

“Oy you!” yelled an old man sitting on a nearby boulder (the only one on the beach) with a fishing pole as Harry approached the shore. “New arrival?”

“I suppose!” he called back, finally gaining his footing and stepping forward out of the sea and onto the flawless white beach. Harry shook some of the water off himself as he walked over to the man, who graciously tossed him a towel. “Thanks.”

“Not at all lad,” replied the man, casting off his line again.

“Who are you?” asked Harry.

“Me?” asked the man. “Name’s Smythe.”

“What are you doing here?” asked Harry.

“What’s it look like?” smiled Smythe. “I’m fishing.”

“I mean why are you here...actually I don’t even know where ‘here’ is.”

The smile dropped from the man’s face and he regarded Harry carefully.

“Y’mean, you don’t know why you’re here?” asked Smythe.

“Haven’t the foggiest,” replied Harry.

“Oh boy,” sighed Smythe. “Well you best come with me, gonna take you back to the village and maybe find someone who knows you so they can explain it all.”

“Explain what?” asked Harry.

“S’not my place to tell you,” replied the man. “Don’t worry, you’ll know soon enough.”

Harry followed quietly behind the man as he lead him onto a path through the palm trees, though he wasn’t too happy about being kept in the dark.

“So there’s a village around here?” asked Harry, trying to glean as much information as he could.

“Yep, it’s where all of us live,” replied Smythe. “Bit of magic involved, I reckon. The place is as big as a city on the inside but can’t even be seen from the beaches.”

‘So wherever I am magic is used,’ thought Harry, the notion comforting him slightly.

“Here were are,” said Smythe as they turned a corner. Harry froze at the sight before him.

They were standing on top of a tall hill, the path in front of them leading down into the village. Harry contemplated that it might’ve been called a village because all the buildings looked to be made of bamboo, and that none of them rose more than two stories, but the number of dwellings was enormous, perhaps in the thousands. Down below, many people were walking about the streets, some talking, others sitting at open-air eateries, but all of them were acting as if they hadn’t a care in the world.

“Yeah, I reacted the same way the first time I saw it,” chuckled Smythe. “Now c’mon, let’s go find someone who knows you.”

Harry marveled at the scene before him as they descended into the village. A market was set up along what appeared to be the main road, with merchants advertising various wares. Several restaurants and pubs were scattered around the area, and Harry was able to glance inside one where dozens of patrons were gathered around televisions watching what appeared to be a muggle football match. He was so interested in his surroundings that he didn’t see where he was going, and walked headlong into a merchant carrying a stack of silk blankets that extended beyond the top of his head.

“Sorry about that!” exclaimed Harry, quickly helping the man regain his balance before the blankets fell over.

“It’s alright,” he replied warmly from behind his goods. “That you, Smythe?”

“Aye,” replied the man. “This one here just arrived, was trying to find someone who knew him.”

“Oh really?” asked the man, turning so he could look at Harry.

This time the man did drop the blankets, and Harry’s heart stopped as they looked at each other.

“Sirius?” breathed Harry, unsure whether to be elated or depressed.

“Harry, what...what are you doing here?” asked Sirius, making no effort to pick up his merchanidise. Smythe, seeing that they knew each other, bade them a silent farewell, and walked back towards where they came from, presumably to resume his fishing.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry. “Hermione and I were celebrating that I killed Voldemort and then I woke up here.”

“I see,” frowned Sirius.

“Um...where exactly is here?” asked Harry, dreading the answer.

“Where do you think it is my boy?” asked Sirius with a faint smile, putting his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “You’re in heaven.”

“So I am dead, then,” sighed Harry, deflated.

“I reckon so,” replied Sirius, bending over to pick up the blankets, Harry following to help him. “Wish it weren’t that simple, but it is.”

“What do I do now?” asked Harry, feeling overly depressed. Sirius regarded him for a moment.

“Come with me,” he answered, gathering up the last of the stock and walking off.

Harry was in no mood to argue. He followed Sirius quietly, wondering where Hermione was, if she was alright, and whether he’d ever get to see her again.

Some time later they came to a halt in front of a medium-sized hut, and Sirius turned around to look at him.

“They’re going to be awful surprised to see you,” he said, nudging the door open with his foot, and placing the blankets on a table next to the entrance as he and Harry stepped into the entrance hall. Harry supposed this place had been changed by magic, it was much larger on the inside than the out.

“Sirius?” a familiar woman’s voice called out. “Is that you?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “I’ve got a visitor with me.”

“Oh?” asked Lily, walking into the hall, polishing a silver mug. “Who is...”

Harry watched as his mother dropped the mug and ran over, letting out a choked sob as she threw her arms around him.

“Mum,” said Harry softly, embracing her.

“Harry,” she cried, as they heard a door upstairs open.

“Lily?” asked James coming down the stairs. “What’s wrong.....oh Merlin, Harry?”

“Hi Dad,” smiled Harry slightly.

“My god, son what are you doing here?” exclaimed James, running down the stairs and wrapping his arms about both Harry and Lily.

“I died, I guess,” shrugged Harry, unable to keep himself from smiling at finally reuniting with his parents.

“How?” asked James as he stepped back. “Don’t tell me Voldemort finally got you?”

“I’m not sure, really,” replied Harry. “I don’t remember.”

“Do you think I could grab something to eat?” asked Sirius, pointing towards another room. “I’m famished.”

“Oh, sorry mate, didn’t see you there,” smiled James, clapping Sirius on the back.

“Why don’t we all get something to eat,” said Lily, wiping the tears from her eyes. “We have a lot to talk about.”

Harry followed his mother into the kitchen, where she immediately began grabbing various ingredients from the cupboards.

“You don’t have to cook,” said Harry sheepishly.

“Nonsense,” replied Lily. “I’ll have it ready in five minutes. You three just wait there.”

“So,” said James, leaning on one of the counters. “Tell us what happened.”

“I was celebrating with Hermione because we had finally killed Voldemort, and then I woke up in the water off the beach,” said Harry.

“Something must’ve happened,” said Sirius. “You wouldn’t be here if you hadn’t died.”

“I don’t remember,” he sighed.

“Let’s not talk about that now,” said Lily, turning around with four plates stacked with pancakes and whipped cream.

“Chocolate chip pancake surprise?” asked James and Sirius at the same time, causing Harry to raise an eyebrow at their antics.

“I thought we could have something special since this is Harry’s first meal with us,” replied Lily, walking into the dinning room and placing the plates on the table.

“And speaking of which, he should meet his grandparents soon,” said James.

“My grandparents are here?” asked Harry, as Sirius dug in.

“Course they are,” smiled James.

“They’ll love you,” said Lily warmly.

“And then perhaps we can go see – ”

“Ease up on him, mate,” said Sirius, smiling at James. “Next you might be suggesting he go and see my brother.”

“Regulus is here?” asked Harry.

“Yeah, I was a bit surprised too when I found out about it,” replied Sirius. “But he told me the story.”

“And you believed him?”

“Kinda hard not to,” shrugged Sirius. “It’s not like you can con your way into this place.”

“Yeah,” said Harry. “So does everyone live in this village?” he asked, eager to divert the discussion away from himself.

“Merlin, no,” replied James. “There’s another village on the other side of the mountain, and plenty of people live up on the slopes, or in the surrounding forests...the ones who have no one here and just want their solitude.”

“Like my brother,” nodded Sirius. “I can’t blame him for it though, given some of the things he was forced to do for Voldemort.”

“And you, you’re a seamstress?” asked Harry, looking at his godfather.

“No, those blankets were my work,” smiled Lily. “Sirius just brings them to the market for me.”

“Do they sell well?”

“They don’t sell at all,” grinned Lily.

“I don’t understand,” said Harry, confused.

“There’s no such thing as money here,” said James.

“So you give the blankets away for free?”

“Mmhmm,” smiled Lily.

“Then how can you afford to make meals like this...which by the way is wonderful,” asked Harry, holding up a forkful of the pancakes in acknowledgement.

“The ingredients appear in my cupboards whenever I want them to,” she smiled.

“So...if you never have to give anything to get anything, wouldn’t people just never do stuff?” asked Harry.

“Well you have to understand, that if people were forced to do work to make a living up here, it could hardly be called heaven,” said Lily. “And some people do that, like Regulus. Others prefer to be self-sufficient –”

“Like Smythe,” interjected Sirius. “Who likes to rely on his fishing to keep himself fed.”

“Exactly,” nodded James. “Others, like us, we’d get bored if all we ever did was just sit around and do nothing.”

“So you make the blankets as a hobby?” asked Harry, intrigued.

“And then we give them away at the market, along with other people who do as we do,” smiled Lily. “It’s more for the general well-being of everyone than for one’s self. I make the blankets and give them away so that other people can enjoy them.”

“Couldn’t people just get the blankets themselves instead of from you?” asked Harry.

“No,” said Sirius with a grin. “That’s why it’s so perfect.”

“I’m don’t get it,” frowned Harry.

“We’re only given raw materials to work with,” said James, “which is why you saw your mother make these delicious pancakes from scratch, and not the frozen kind that muggles have. We take the materials and fashion them into whatever we want.”

“You might have noticed in town that some of the pubs have tellies,” said Sirius. “But they didn’t just get them. The pub owners had to find an electrician who knew how to build a tellie, and have him do it for them.”

“So I make blankets, James makes brooms, and Sirius...well...”

“I make Firewhiskey,” grinned Sirius proudly. “Best in the land, many people will tell ya.”

“I bet you’re proud of that,” chuckled Harry.

“It truly is heaven,” smiled James. “I honestly couldn’t imagine a world that’s more perfect than the one we’re in now.”

The smile from Harry’s face fell as he pictured a world where he was still with Hermione.

“You alright?” asked Lily.

“Um, I’m going to go for a walk,” said Harry.

“You going to finish that?” asked Sirius, pointing at Harry’s pancakes.

“Go ahead,” smiled Harry.

“Take the stairs up to the patio on the roof,” suggested James. “The sun should be setting sometime soon, trust me, it’s worth it.”

“Thanks,” nodded Harry, walking out of the dinning room and up the stairs in the hall.

He arrived a moment later on a beautiful stone patio with a short wooden railing running around the sides. Looking out over edge, he could see the village far below, the people still walking around looking rather like ants from that height. The forest of palm trees created a small barrier between the village and the beach, and Harry thought he could barely make out Smythe sitting on his rock, casting a line into the sea which was now reflecting the pink sunset.

‘Must be magic,’ thought Harry, smiling sadly. ‘Didn’t look this tall on the outside. I wish I had a chair.’

He heard a clunk behind him and turned around to see that a small pile of wooden planks had materialised.

‘They really weren’t joking,’ chuckled Harry, walking over to them. ‘Some nails, perhaps?’ Several soft clinks sounded as nails appeared and bounced off the stone. ‘And a smooth, strong rock?’ A rectangular slab of granite appeared before him, and Harry smiled as he set to pounding the nails into the wood to fashion a chair for himself.

About fifteen minutes later Harry stood back to marvel at his work, which looked rather like a Picasso painting than an actual chair. Deciding to see if it would hold him, Harry carefully lowered himself into it, and was pleased to find that it was actually quite sturdy. Letting out a deep breath, he gazed at the horizon, which the sun was now halfway below.

“It’s gorgeous, isn’t it?” asked James from behind him.

“Yeah,” replied Harry, not turning around.

“Lily told me not to come up here, to give you some time for yourself, so don’t tell her, alright?” asked James.

“I won’t,” nodded Harry.

“I figure, we’ve never really had a father-son talk, so I thought maybe I could help you with whatever you’re trying to sort out,” said James, crouching beside him.

“Thanks,” said Harry.

“I see you made yourself a chair,” smiled James after a moment.

“If you can call it that,” laughed Harry.

“It’s nice, isn’t it?” asked James. “Having the ability to freely work on whatever you choose, without having to worry about your time, or your money.”

“It is,” nodded Harry. “I didn’t realise it until after I finished, but I focused so much on building the chair that I managed to forget about the other world for a little while.”

“That’s why most people make what they do,” sighed James. “This world can be as perfect as you want it to be, but it isn’t home.”

“You can make whatever you desire, but not who you desire,” nodded Harry.

“Exactly,” agreed James. “I suppose I got it pretty lucky. You’re here, my wife is here, my best mate is here, my parents are here, there isn’t much else I could wish for.”

“At least one of us feels that way.”

“Don’t be so depressed, Harry,” said James. “At least you have your family again. That’s more than a lot of people who are here can say.”

“I know,” he admitted. “It’s just hard knowing I won’t get to see Hermione for maybe a hundred years.”

“Well...you could do what we did,” said James hesitantly.

“What did you do?” asked Harry.

“After Sirius came through the arch, Lily, he, and I all waited by it to make sure you didn’t try anything foolish,” said James. “We actually haven’t been in this house for all that long.”

“Wait...you waited by the arch?” asked Harry.

“Yeah,” nodded James. “There’s a corresponding gateway through which people come into this world. Sirius came through like that, not appearing in the sea like you.”

“That’s how you spoke to me and Hermione,” said Harry.

“After it became apparent that you weren’t going to chase after Sirius, we took turns each day waiting at the arch, hoping that maybe one day you’d go to visit it, and we’d be able to talk to you. Sure enough, it worked.”

Harry’s mind raced with ideas as he looked out into the sunset.

“After that, we stopped going every day, and started living our lives in comfort, knowing that you and Hermione were doing alright,” said James. “I’m saddened to have you join us so soon, but you’re here now, and there’s no going back.”

“I’d like to visit the arch,” said Harry, turning to look at his father.

“I knew you would,” smiled James.

“When can we go?” asked Harry.

“Tomorrow,” replied James. “You should let your mother and me go with you, and Sirius will probably want to go too.”

“Alright,” nodded Harry. “Say...how do I use magic here...without my wand?”

“How do you think?” smiled James. Holding out his hand he made the chair Harry was sitting in rise slightly off the ground, and touch back down.

“This truly is a remarkable place,” chuckled Harry.

“Would you like me to show you your bedroom?” asked James. “Sirius said he was going to fix up one of the extra rooms for you.”

“I think I’m going to stay awake for a while,” replied Harry. “I have a lot to think about.”

“I understand. If you need anything, you know you can come to your mother or me.”

“Thank you,” nodded Harry. “For everything.”

James regarded him carefully.

“We didn’t get the chance to give you a proper life on earth,” he said solemnly. “I hope you’ll give us the chance to remedy that here.”

Harry smiled and nodded, though he privately thought to himself that they wouldn’t be able to if he could find a way back home.

As soon as James left, Harry gathered a large block of wood, a bunch of long, thin sticks, and some silk thread.

“Anything you can do,” he hummed to himself as he used magic to carve the block of wood into a long curved shaft, slightly longer than that of his Firebolt. Shaving down the tips of the sticks, he arranged them in an circular pattern around the base of the shaft, and used the silk string and a bit of magic to secure them.

Harry sat quietly over the broom, muttering all sorts of charms to make the broom fly and respond to the user’s touch. Finally, over a half hour later, he stood up and looked at his completed work.

“Moment of truth,” said Harry, holding his out over the broom. “Up!”

The broom flew into his hand with no hesitation. Climbing on, Harry looked up at the sky, which though still a dark blue, was starting to show stars. Taking a breath, he kicked off and sped out over the sea, amazed at the speed and control the broom had. It certainly wasn’t as fast as the Firebolt, but it definitely had a grace that the other lacked.

He spent the better part of an hour flying around and over the island, reveling in the feeling of the freedom that flying brought. Stopping high above the island, he looked up at the moon, which now hung brightly in the sky. Taking a deep breath, he let his hands drop from the handle and closed his eyes.

“Harry?” she asked softly.

“Hmm?”

“Did you mean what you said earlier? When you said you didn’t want to live in a world where I didn’t exist?”

He stared at her for a moment before smiling.

“Of course I did,” said Harry softly. “You’re my everything.”

Harry opened his eyes and tried to remember the feeling of Hermione’s arms wrapped around him on the Firebolt.

“I’ll find a way back to you, Hermione,” he whispered to the wind. “I promise.”

=====

“Where are we?” asked Harry, as James led him, Lily, and Sirius through dense foliage. He toyed with his miniaturized broom in his pocket, having brought it along ‘just in case’ something happened.

“About halfway up the mountain,” replied James. “The arch is in a cave fairly well hidden...you’re only supposed to be able to get there if you know where it is already.”

“Then how did you find it?”

“I came through it, remember?” asked Sirius.

“Oh. Right.”

“Here we are,” said James, pulling back some large branches and revealing a cave leading into the depths of the mountain, lit by torches held in brackets on the walls.

“More bloody caves,” sighed Harry with a chuckle.

“Hmm?” asked Lily.

“It’s nothing,” replied Harry, following James.

“It isn’t that far in,” he said. “See, there.”

Harry looked around as they reached the end of the cave. A great stone arch identical to the one in the ministry sat upon a stone dias, and on either side of the arch sat four prismatic pillars. Harry noted there was a hole in the base of the dais just like in the ministry.

“So you can just talk to anyone who goes near the arch on the other side?” he asked.

“Yes, but you can’t see them,” replied Sirius.

Harry nodded and walked forward, stopping in front of the arch. Concentrating, he crouched down and placed his right hand on the cold stone.

A surge of power coursed through him, and a deep golden glow appeared around the four pillars. Harry pulled back his hand in surprise and landed on his arse, breathing heavily.

“Harry!” said James, rushing forward. “You alright?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “What was that?”

“I don’t know,” answered James.

“Harry, what’ve you got on your wrist?” asked Sirius, pointing at the bracelet.

“It’s the bracelet of kings,” replied Harry. “I used it to kill Voldemort...the runes were the same golden as the glow before that.”

“Harry,” said Lily softly, crouching down next to him. “How did you die?”

“I don’t know,” he replied, shaking his head.

“Think, Harry,” said James.

“I don’t know!” exclaimed Harry desperately, a surge of emotion going through him.

The runes on the bracelet suddenly glowed brightly, and memories of Voldemort’s occupation of his body suddenly flooded back into his mind.

“Oh god,” he whispered, as James and Sirius helped him to his feet. “I remember...”

“What happened?” asked Lily.

“He had horcruxes, you know about that,” said Harry, leaning on his father for support. “We thought we had destroyed them all, but when I destroyed his body, he entered mine.”

“What?” asked James breathlessly.

“He had turned me into a horcrux the night he killed you two,” continued Harry. “So I...I...”

“Did you kill yourself?” asked Lily.

Unable to find words in his suddenly dry mouth, Harry just nodded.

“How did you do it?” asked James. “It’s very important.”

“Uh...the Avada Kedavra,” replied Harry, furrowing his brow as Sirius, Lily, and James all looked at each other. “Why?”

“You do how the Avada Kedavra works, right?” asked James.

“It destroys the soul,” replied Harry.

“No,” said James seriously. “It removes the soul from the body.”

“Same difference, isn’t it?”

“These four pillars represent the same forces that your bracelet does, Harry,” said Sirius. “And they culminate to form the continuing circle of life and death, hence why they’re next to this arch.”

“What does that have to do with me?” asked Harry.

“Well, there’s no such thing as the legend of kings in heaven,” shrugged James. “That magic exists under the natural principles of the living world, not here.”

“So what does that mean?”

“It means that something only supposed to work in the living world is working here,” replied Lily. “Which means that some part of you is still on the other side.”

“How is that possible?” asked Harry.

“I don’t know,” said James. “If you had managed to only separate Voldemort’s soul from your body with the AK, you’d still be over there.”

Harry thought for a moment, then he felt his heart give a tremendous lurch as he remembered something he had once heard.

“Well, you split your soul, you see,” said Slughorn, “and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one’s body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged. But of course, existence in such a form...”

“How do you split your soul?” asked Riddle.

“Well,” said Slughorn uncomfortably, “you must understand that the soul is supposed to remain intact and whole. Splitting it is an act of violation, it is against nature.”

“But how do you do it?”

“By an act of evil – the supreme act of evil. Killing rips the soul apart.”

And he realised that despite the atrocities committed by Lord Voldemort, Harry had, in fact, killed someone. Multiple someones, actually.

“I horcruxed my soul,” he breathed.

“What?” asked James questioningly. “You’d still be down there if you did.”

“But I never took the steps required to make one,” said Harry. “Whatever they are. It must have been unintentional.”

“I don’t know...” said Sirius skeptically.

“What are you going to do?” asked Lily gently. Harry took one look at the arch and made up his mind.

James reached for Harry as he dove forward, but came up empty-handed. Harry plunged his right arm into the hole at the base of the dias, and watched in awe as the pillars shined brightly, and strong wind starting to blow in the cave.

‘Forget something?’ asked a familiar voice.

‘I thought you couldn’t talk to me anymore?’ Harry asked the bracelet.

‘I’m making a special exception,’ replied the bracelet. ‘You seem to have realised that you left part of yourself behind.’

‘I want to go back,’ said Harry.

‘I know you do,’ said the bracelet. ‘It’s a one-way trip, you won’t be able to come back until you die, and when you do, you’re here for good.’

‘I know,’ replied Harry.

‘Then this truly will be the last time we talk, Harry Potter. Fare thee well.’

Harry watched in amazement as a bright flash of blue-white light erupted from the center of the arch and expanded into an opaque light blue window. The color began to fade and Harry’s heart leapt when he realised he could see the Department of Mysteries on the other side.

“I can go back,” he said, turning around. “I can go back!”

“Harry...what?” asked Lily, looking at him desperately.

“Can’t you see it?” asked Harry. “The Department of Mysteries?” The three adults shook their heads.

“It must be because part of you is still there,” said Sirius with a slight smile. “We can’t join you.”

“But...” the hope Harry had felt that his family might be able to join him suddenly left.

“You know, despite my elation at being able to see you again,” said James, coming over to Harry. “I could tell you never wanted to be here right now.”

“I don’t want to lose you again,” said Harry, blinking back tears.

“Losing something implies you don’t know where it is,” smiled Lily, also coming over, tears running down her face. “You know exactly where we are, and will be.”

“And we’ll wait patiently for you to come back when the time is right,” said Sirius with a grin. “It’s not like this place is terrible to live in, after all.”

“I’m going to miss you,” said Harry softly.

“I miss me too, sometimes,” laughed James, earning him a glare from Lily. Harry smiled as he remembered having said that to Hermione once. “You go where you need to be.”

Harry withdrew his arm from the hole in the base and was glad to see the path still open, hugging his parents and Sirius tightly, he stepped up onto the dias and turned and looked at them.

“Until we meet again, son,” smiled James, wrapping his arms around Lily.

“One week!” yelled Harry, over the rising wind.

“What?” asked Sirius, confused.

“Figure it out!” smiled Harry, and he jumped through the arch.

---------------

Before I finish up this week, I want to acknowledge someone.

For the first time in my history of writing fanfiction, one of my reviewers guessed the result of Harry’s actions at the end of last chapter with 100% accuracy. I can’t say who, because I haven’t completely revealed all the secrets of the previous chapter yet, but I will make it known next time. As it stands, you should know who you are.

Star Wars based quote this week.

It is essential to be able to distinguish the differences between knowledge and wisdom.

The finale in two weeks! Hope to see you then.

26. The New Age

Well....here we are.

Like I do with all my stories, I’ll have a nice little speech for all of you at the end of the chapter, but before we begin this week, there’s something I would like to make mention of.

Today, the day I post this chapter, is November 24th, 2006. Exactly one year to the day since I posted the first chapter of this story. 26 chapters for 52 weeks. I can’t really believe it’s been a year...it doesn’t feel like it. I never thought when I started this story it would last this long, or be this popular. I feel truly blessed, and again, I thank all of you.

The rest, is for the end. :)

---------------

Chapter 26: The New Age

A repulsive sensation overtook Harry as he felt his feet leave the ground. He became queasy, his breath shortened, and the sensation of emptiness forced him to close his eyes in a grimace. A moment later, when he felt solid ground beneath his feet, the feeling doubled. Groaning, he collapsed to the ground, the cold stone of what he assumed was the dais in the Ministry, and forced one of his eyes open.

Hermione was kneeling a few feet in front of him, her mouth agape, and tears running down her cheeks.

“Wha...how...”

“Hermione,” said Harry weakly. “Help me.”

In an instant she was by his side, cradling his head in her lap.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, her voice stronger.

“I feel...I feel like I’m dying,” replied Harry hoarsely.

“Let’s get you out of here,” said Hermione, and in a display of strength that surprised Harry, even in his incapacitated state, she lifted him clean off the dais and hurried up the stairs and out of the Department of Mysteries.

=====

“Madam Pomfrey!” shrieked Hermione, running into the Hospital Ward at Hogwarts as fast she could a moment later, having apparated them just outside the Hogwarts Ground a minute earlier.

“What is all the ruckus, my dear child?” asked the nurse, with her back turned. “I dare say...” The nurse’s face whitened as she saw Harry in Hermione’s arms. “Put him on the bed there.”

Hermione placed Harry on the nearest cot as gently as she could before collapsing into the chair next to it, breathing hard.

“You alright?” asked Harry through gritted teeth, though he managed a smile.

“I will be,” answered Hermione, hyperventilating.

“Drink this,” said Madam Pomfrey, handing Hermione a calming potion. She downed it in one gulp and her breathing softened considerably. “How in Merlin’s name are you alive, Potter?”

“It’s a long story,” replied Harry. “But the way I’m going right now...I’m not sure if I’ll be around too much longer.”

The nurse quickly waved her wand over his body in a series of complicated motions, growing more perplexed with each one. Finally, a moment later she lowered her wand and shook her head in exasperation.

“I have no clue what is wrong with you, Potter,” she said apologetically. “I can tell that something’s wrong...but I honestly don’t know – ”

“Perhaps I could be of assistance, Poppy,” a gentle voice from the windowsill said. Harry, Hermione, and Madam Pomfrey all turned to see the great white phoenix of Dumbledore sitting on the ledge peacefully.

“Go ahead, Albus,” nodded the nurse.

The phoenix flew over and landed next to Harry on the bed, and immediately dropped two large, pearly tears onto his chest. The warm sensation calmed Harry slightly, but did nothing for his symptoms.

“Nothing?” asked Dumbledore. Harry shook his head, the feeling worsening. “Poppy, perhaps I may have a moment with Harry and Hermione here?”

The nurse regarded Albus carefully, clearly unimpressed with the thought of leaving her own ward, but nodded nonetheless and left, closing the large oak doors behind her.

“I’m sure you know how it is that you were able to come back through the arch,” said Dumbledore, not wasting any time.

“I horcruxed myself,” said Harry weakly, and Hermione gasped.

“It appears that you are quite right,” replied Dumbledore. “You are suffering due to the lack of a complete soul.”

“How come Voldemort didn’t go through this?” asked Harry.

“There are precautionary measures one can take, but I hardly believe you took them,” replied Albus.

“So what do I do?” asked Harry.

“You must find the horcrux the portion of your soul is locked away in, and reunite it.”

“I don’t even know what or where it could be,” said Harry. “It could be anything.”

“Ah, but fortunately, I was able to deduce the only possible answer for you,” replied the phoenix, and Harry swore he was smiling. “And lucky for all of us, she is sitting right next to you.”

Harry’s eyes widened, and he turned to look at Hermione who was apparently equally surprised.

“My soul...is in Hermione?” asked Harry.

“Your powers of deductive reasoning continue to serve you well.”

“How can we fix it?” asked Hermione, standing up.

“It’s rather obvious, if you think about it.”

Hermione’s brow furrowed in thought for a minute, then she turned to give Dumbledore a sideways glance.

“I’ll leave you both to it,” he said, spreading his great wings. “I shall return in...half an hour. Hopefully you’ll both be done by then?”

And without another word he flew out of the window, leaving Harry and Hermione alone in the ward.

“What did he mean?” asked Harry. “I’m in too much discomfort to try and sort out his riddles.”

“It is rather obvious,” smiled Hermione, drawing her wand and sitting on the bed next to Harry.

“Hermione, what’re you...oh.”

“You saved my life,” she whispered, removing all their clothes with a flick. “Now it’s my turn to save yours.”

“You’re the reason I came back,” said Harry, as she crawled under the sheets and lay on top of him. “I want to tell you everything that happened.”

“Later,” she smiled. “Right now, we’re making you better.”

=====

“Are you feeling any better?” asked Hermione twenty minutes later, her arm draped across Harry’s bare chest.

“Much,” he nodded, taking a deep breath. The feeling was slowly dissipating and each breath Harry took felt as if life was being breathed into him.

“A rather pleasant way to go about repairing one’s soul, don’t you think?” she asked, a soft smile on her face.

“Definitely,” replied Harry, turning and kissing her passionately.

Hermione drew back and looked into his eyes, running her hand slowly across his face.

“I can’t believe you’re here,” she whispered. “I thought you were gone forever.”

“I almost was...but thankfully I had some help on the other side.”

“From whom?”

Harry grinned and moved in so close that their noses were touching.

“My parents.”

Hermione’s eyes widened and a matching grin broke out on her face.

“Are you serious?” she asked.

“Quite,” smiled Harry.

“Tell me all about it.

“It’s a rather amazing place, heaven,” he said wrapping his arm around her body. “There’s truly nothing to worry about.”

“What’s it like?”

“Well...it’s – ”

A knock at the oak doors startled them and they sprang apart. Hermione quickly grabbed the sheets and covered herself.

“Are you two decent?” came the voice of Madam Pomfrey.

“One moment!” called Hermione, and she quickly found her wand. With one flick, they were both fully clothed again, and giving him a chaste kiss, she got out of the bed. “Come in!”

The doors opened to reveal Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore (who was, when standing on the ground, just as tall as the nurse).

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Much better, sir, thank you,” nodded Harry.

“Please Harry, there’s no need to call me sir,” chuckled the phoenix.

“I’ll be in my office, Albus,” said Madam Pomfrey. Dumbledore nodded at her and flew over to Harry’s bed.

“We have much to talk about,” he said. “I expect that you’ll both have some questions?”

“Is he gone?” asked Harry. “Is he really, completely gone?”

“Yes, Harry. He is gone,” replied Albus. “By killing yourself you destroyed the final horcrux, and with no pieces of his soul left earthbound, Tom Riddle was expelled from this world.”

“And he can’t come back like I did?”

“You had a portion of your soul left here, did you not?” Harry nodded and smiled at Hermione.

“Sir, why did Harry leave this world in the first place if his soul was horcruxed?” asked Hermione. “I mean, Voldemort didn’t leave this world when the Avada Kedavra he cast on Harry as a baby backfired, did he?”

“You may also call me Albus, my dear woman,” smiled the phoenix. “And no, he did not. I speculate that it’s because he already had other horcruxes active, but that is pure theorization. I must confess my regret in that I don’t know all the answers of the world.”

“But...no one knows everything,” said Harry.

“And there are some things which we shall never know,” said Dumbledore. “The mystery of what happened when you cast the curse to kill yourself is one of them.”

“Oh,” said Harry, clearly dejected.

“I am guessing that Voldemort had, much like when he killed your parents, set up a timer of sorts, so that when the time was right, his soul would be horcruxed. Upon his domination of your body, the instructions on that timer blurred, if you will, and when you killed yourself, set them off...the nearest external object was Hermione, so the portion of your soul that you separated from your body went to hers, much like how the separated portion of Voldemort’s soul went to you on that night so many years ago.”

“That doesn’t explain why I ‘died’,” said Harry.

“I think it is because the horcrux you created was faulty,” replied Dumbledore. “No offense of course to you, my dear.”

“None taken,” replied Hermione.

“You see, I do not believe that your horcrux was permanent, Harry,” said Dumbledore. “Even though Voldemort had taken the steps, you hadn’t, and so a sort of ‘ghost’ horcrux was created...one that functioned well, but would have faded given time. Had you been gone another week, or perhaps even another day, all hope for your return might have been lost.”

“How long was I gone, anyway?” asked Harry.

“Two days,” replied Hermione with a slight frown. Harry took her hand and gave it a soft squeeze before returning his attention to Dumbledore.

“Albus...why did the Eternium crack when I saved Hermione?”

The phoenix regarded him carefully for a moment.

“I have my theories,” he said. “But that is an answer best found without my assistance, I think.”

“I see,” said Harry. “How is everyone? Is everyone alright?”

“Why don’t you ask them yourself?”

The words had barely left Dumbledore’s beak when the oak doors flew open and Ron, Luna, Neville, Ginny, Remus, Tonks, McGonagal, Moody, (and to Harry’s great surprise), Draco came barging in.

“Mate!” yelled Ron, rushing over. “I didn’t believe them when they said it...but cor...you’re really here, aren’t you?”

“No Ron, I’m your mum in disguise,” smiled Harry.

“Funny,” replied Ron dryly. “How the hell did you cheat death, mate?”

“It’s quite the story, actually,” said Harry.

“We’ve got time,” smiled Luna, who looked much better than the last time Harry had seen her.

“Well, simply put, I died,” said Harry. “And I woke up in heaven.” He could’ve sworn he saw Draco roll his eyes at that, but paid it no attention. “It’s a real wonder, it is.”

“What’s it like?” grinned Tonks.

“Anything you want, is yours,” smiled Harry, feeling like a storyteller the way everyone was gathered around him. “You need only but want it.”

“Anything?” asked Neville.

“Anything,” nodded Harry. “But you can only get raw materials. If you want something complex, like a telly or a broom, you have to make it yourself, or find someone who can make it for you.”

“That doesn’t sound like much fun,” commented Ginny.

“It helps with the boredom, according to my dad.”

Harry smiled at the silence that greeted that statement.

“Your...James was there?” asked Remus.

“And my mum. And Sirius...and Regulus...and apparently my grandparents too,” grinned Harry.

“Did you...you got to speak with them?” asked McGonagal.

“Not Regulus or my grandparents, but my mum, dad, and Sirius? Yeah.”

“Were they happy?” asked Remus.

“I can honestly say that they could not have been better,” smiled Harry. “My mum makes this great pancake dish –”

“Chocolate chip pancake surprise?” asked Remus with no hesitation, earning him looks from everyone else.

“You know about that?” asked Harry with a laugh.

“She used to make it all the time before she had you,” grinned Remus. “She stopped when she got pregnant...said she didn’t need more weight than she was going to get.”

“So how did you get back?” asked Tonks.

“There’s an arch over there that connects with the one in the Department of Mysteries,” said Harry. “You’re not supposed to be able to use it...but I guess circumstances allowed me to.”

“They’re coming,” grunted Moody, the first words he’d said since he arrived.

“Then my time grows short,” said Dumbledore.

“Who’s coming?” asked Harry.

“The Minister,” replied Moody, his eye fixated on what Harry guessed was the entrance hall.

“There are very few people who know I still exist,” said Dumbledore. “It would be wise to let it remain that way.”

“Agreed,” said Harry, and everyone in the room nodded.

“Well then, Draco, shall we be off?”

Everyone immediately turned to Draco, who looked down at the floor.

“You’re leaving with him?” asked Harry.

“Yeah,” nodded Draco.

“He and I agree that it would be best if he remained low-key for a while,” said Dumbledore.

“But...I promised to clear your name,” said Harry.

“I appreciate it, Potter, but there’s no guarantee you can do that,” said Draco. “Besides, I think I still have a lot to learn about the world, and Dumble – Professor Dumbledore has agreed to help me find my path.”

Harry thought for a moment before leaning forward and extending his hand. Draco regarded him carefully but shook his hand all the same.

“You’ll always be welcome in my house,” said Harry.

“I might just take you up on that offer sometime in the future, Potter,” smiled Draco, as Dumbledore spread his great wings and he climbed on.

“Where the hell were you hiding anyway?” asked Ron.

“In the Room of Requirement, of course,” shrugged Draco. “I tell you, sharing it with that loon of a teacher nearly drove me insane though.”

“Loon?” asked Hermione.

“Trelawney, of course.”

There was a chuckle from everyone present, and Harry turned to Dumbledore.

“Will I see you again?”

“Undoubtedly,” nodded the phoenix. “Though it may not be for a while.”

“I eagerly await the day,” smiled Harry. Everyone in the room bade Dumbledore and Draco a quick farewell, and a moment later they had flown out of the window and into the sunset.

“Potter?” called a familiar voice from just outside the doors, and a moment later Rufus Scrimgeour appeared, flanked by two aurors, one of which was Kingsley, the other Harry didn’t recognise. “So it is true.”

“That it is,” nodded Harry.

“How?” asked the Minister, walking over to the bed, completely disregarding the other people in the room.

Harry glanced at the others offhandedly and shrugged.

“I’m afraid I know nothing more than you do,” he said. “A bit of dumb luck, I guess.”

The Minister nodded and produced a sheaf of parchment from his robes.

“This is for you,” he said, handing it to Harry. “Originally it was going to be your funeral march, but since you’re alive...”

Harry took the parchment and read it...it was a proclamation.

THE DARK LORD HAS BEEN VANQUISHED!

To celebrate this glorious event, a parade will be held through Diagon Alley at noon on May 14th to honor Harry James Potter, conqueror of evil, with a ceremony awarding the Order of Merlin, 1st Class to him.

REJOICE! THE EVIL ONE IS GONE!

“I won’t accept it,” said Harry simply, handing the sheet back to the Minister.

“W-what?” asked Scrimgeour, stunned. “Why not?”

“Because everyone who took part in the battle before I beat him had just as much a part to play as I did,” replied Harry. “If you give all of them – and I mean every last person in that battle – Order of Merlin, I’ll consider it.” Scrimgeour thought about this for a moment.

“I bet I could work third class for most of them,” he said. “Second and first for a few.”

“As long as they all get the recognition they deserve, then I’ll accept it,” said Harry.

“Done,” nodded the Minister, extending his hand. Harry stared at him for a moment before shaking his hand and letting out a chuckle. “Perhaps in the future we will be more friendly with one another, Harry Potter.”

“Perhaps,” nodded Harry.

“See you in three days,” said Scrimgeour, who stood up. Nodding to the others in the room, he left, Kingsley shooting a wink at Harry as he followed the minister out.

“That went well,” grinned Harry, hitting Ron lightly in the arm. “Order of Merlin for you, mate.”

“Won’t see me complaining,” smiled Ron. “Kinda makes our ‘Special Award for Services to the School’ award pale in comparison, though.”

Everyone laughed at that, and Harry noted that it was the very first time he could ever remember when everyone had laughed with such freedom and lightheartedness.

“I hate to kill the mood, but I need to know,” he said. “How many people on our side died in the battle?”

“Kill the mood?” laughed Ron. “Hardly. No one on our side died Harry.”

“What?” he asked. “How?”

“Call it good planning, call it dumb luck, call it whatever you want to,” said Remus. “We had some serious injuries, but there was not one person on that battlefield who wasn’t a death eater that didn’t walk away alive.”

“Wow. So tell me, where are McCleary and all of them?”

“Funny you should ask,” laughed Remus. “They’re down in the camp with Hagrid and Grawp enjoying Hagrid’s fine drink and cooking.”

“You have got to be joking,” smiled Harry.

“Not in the slightest,” replied Tonks. “Apparently they love those rock hard things Hagrid calls cakes...leave it to the Scottish.”

“I’ll have to thank them...are they going to be memory charmed?”

“I have managed to convince the ministry...after much arguing, mind you, to let them retain their memories of what happened three nights ago,” said McGonagal. “Provided they don’t spill the beans, of course.”

“Good,” said Harry. “First step towards bringing down the wall, if you know what I mean.”

“Indeed,” nodded McGonagal. “You will forgive me, there is much to attend to and while I would love to stay and listen to the stories, there are still many students who require attention in some form or another, and we have many repairs to complete on the school.”

“Of course, Professor,” he nodded.

“It’s good to have you back, Harry,” she smiled, before turning and leaving.

“We have to go too,” sighed Remus. “There is a ton of work that needs doing.”

“Can I help?” asked Harry.

“You’ve already done more than enough, lad,” smiled Moody. “You take your rest and enjoy it. You’ve earned the luxury of never having to raise a finger for the rest of your life, if I may say so.”

“Thank you,” smiled Harry, shaking Moody’s gnarled hand.

“We’ll leave you six at it then,” smiled Tonks. “Ta!”

The students waved as Moody, Remus, and Tonks left, shutting the doors behind them.

Harry sat in his bed and looked at the other five with him, shaking his head.

“What?” asked Neville lightly.

“A bit strange, isn’t it?” asked Harry. “Two years ago we were fighting for our lives next to the death arch in the Department of Mysteries, and now the same six of us are sitting around joking about it after I just came through said arch.”

“Life is odd like that,” shrugged Hermione, sitting on the bed.

“It is,” nodded Neville. “Listen...I hope you don’t mind, but Ginny and I volunteered to help start moving supplies from the camp back to the castle...we’ve already been gone for a half hour...”

“Go,” nodded Harry waving his hand at them. “We’ll have plenty of time in the future to talk.”

Neville and Ginny nodded, and smiled, linking hands as they left the ward.

“Just us four then,” said Ron, sitting in the chair next to the bed.

“Are you alright Luna?” asked Harry, noticing that the blond had suddenly closed up noticeably, and was shuffling her feet.

“I feel a bit out of place,” she confessed. “I’m not really part of your ‘trio’.”

“Nonsense,” said Harry, motioning for her to sit on the bed nearest Ron. “There’s no such thing as the ‘trio’...not anymore. Now it’s Harry Potter and his Band of Mischievous Friends.”

“Sounds like a movie,” laughed Hermione.

“What’s a movie?” asked Ron.

“Something that muggles go and watch for entertainment, dear,” smiled Luna.

“Oh so it’s like quidditch then,” nodded Ron...and it was quite clear that he had no clue what movies were like at all.

“Well, I think we should be off, Ronald,” said Luna with a smile. “We should let Harry and Hermione have the private time that they need.”

“They don’t need it,” said Ron shrugging. A stern glance from Luna quickly changed his mind, though, and he stood, causing Harry to laugh. “Bugger off.”

“Before you go,” laughed Harry, reaching for his cloak, “I have something for you.”

“Oh?” asked Ron. “What is it?”

Harry fished around in the pocket until he found what he was looking for.

“A matchstick?” asked Ron skeptically.

“Hardly,” replied Harry. “Do you have my wand?” he asked Hermione. She nodded and drew it from her robe, handing it to him. “Engorgio.”

The broom Harry had crafted in the other world grew to its normal size, and Ron’s jaw dropped as it was handed to him.

“This...this is for me?” he asked, marveling at it.

“Yep,” smiled Harry. “First of the Harry Potter line. I call it the Phoenix.”

“You made this?”

“Remember how I said you can get any materials you want in heaven?” grinned Harry. He watched as Ron’s eyes went back and forth from Harry to the broom.

“You have got to be joking.”

“Nope, not joking,” laughed Harry. “Now go on outside and give it a whirl, mate. I’m sure Luna would like a chance on it too...sorry I don’t have anything for you, by the way.”

“It’s quite alright,” smiled Luna, as Ron continued to fawn over his new acquisition. “Your friendship is more than enough.”

Harry smiled as Ron thanked him quickly and dashed out of the infirmary, Luna laughed as she followed him.

“Although,” she said, stopping at the doors. “You could give me a nice butterbeer cork necklace for Christmas, if you wanted to.”

“Done,” smiled Harry. Luna winked and disappeared behind the doors.

“So much for the meet and greet,” laughed Hermione, laying down next to him.

“I’m glad to be alone with you,” smiled Harry.

“Well we’re not entirely alone,” reminded Hermione. “Madam Pomfrey is just in her office.”

“I know,” nodded Harry. “Doesn’t stop me from doing this, though.”

He pressed his lips to hers softly, extremely thankful he was with her again.

“Can I ask you something?” he asked. Hermione nodded. “Why were you at the Department of Mysteries today?”

She sighed and rolled on to her back, looking up at the ceiling.

“When you died...I...it was unlike any emotion I had ever experienced,” she said. “It was surreal...but at the same time I thought I was dying on the inside...because I knew you were gone. I couldn’t even cry I was in so much shock, and that made me feel even worse.”

“Hermione...” whispered Harry, turning to face her.

“I sat in the camp for a day...clutching my knees to my chest,” she continued. “I didn’t know what to do...I didn’t want to do anything. I just wanted to sit there with my memories and not be bothered.

Then I remembered when we were in the Department of Mysteries a few months ago. I didn’t even tell anyone where I was going...but I figured they knew anyway. Also something had happened when you killed yourself that was very strange.”

“What happened?” asked Harry.

“Your body disappeared,” she said. “I assume just like Voldemort’s did all those years ago when he tried to kill you.”

Harry nodded.

“I got to the arch as soon as I could and waited...praying that I could talk to you like we talked to your parents. I was standing there and then all of a sudden you came tumbling out.”

“I’m lucky you were there,” said Harry. “I don’t know how long I could’ve lived like that...it was awful.”

“Really puts how evil Voldemort was in perspective...doesn’t it?” asked Hermione.

“Yeah.”

“So what are you going to do now?”

“Now?” asked Harry, sitting up. “Now I have a parade to prepare for.”

=====

Harry stood at the window in his room at the Leaky Cauldron and stared down at the mass of people assembled below. Some special permits had been approved for the parade, and the width of the alley had been magically expanded to allow room for everything.

“Are you alright?” asked Hermione from the bed, who, unlike Harry, was not wearing anything at all.

“I hate things like this,” sighed Harry, turning back to face her. “As if I don’t get enough attention already.”

“As much as I hate to say it, it’s not for you,” frowned Hermione. “It’s for the people.”

“I know,” said Harry, sitting down next to her and brushing his fingers along her bare shoulders. “My last little service for the common good, eh?”

“Well, you are being awarded Order of Merlin,” she pointed out.

“So are you,” countered Harry with a smile.

“I don’t like it...it should be second class just like Ron.”

“Why?” asked Harry. “You saved my life with that Eternium.”

“Technically I saved my own life,” smiled Hermione. “But I appreciate the help all the same.”

“Git,” grinned Harry, leaning down to kiss her. “You’re still okay with the thing we talked about?”

“I am,” she nodded. “If that’s what makes you happy, then I’ll support it.”

“Thank you.”

“Harry? You about ready?” called Remus from the other side of the door.

“In a minute,” he replied. “Best get dressed, luv.”

“I’m going to look forward to the days when we don’t even have to get out of bed,” she smiled, reaching for her clothes.

“Hopefully they aren’t too far off,” winked Harry. Once she was dressed, he opened the door to see Remus and Tonks waiting for him with looks of amusement on their faces.

“You might want to consider whispering when you’re telling her to get dressed,” grinned Tonks.

“You uh, heard that, eh?” asked Harry sheepishly.

“We promise not to say anything,” smiled Remus. “You two can make that announcement when you’re good and ready.”

“Thank you,” replied Hermione, taking Harry’s arm.

“You all set then?” asked Remus. “They’re about to start.”

“As ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose,” nodded Harry.

He followed Remus and Tonks down the stairs to the main floor of the pub, which Tom had let them use exclusively to get ready.

“All right there, Tom?” asked Harry.

“Never better, Mister Potter,” nodded the barkeep.

“Harry, Tom. Harry.”

The bartender smiled and nodded vigorously as he continued polishing his mugs.

“Where’s everyone assembling?” Harry asked Remus.

“The alley out back...they enlarged it to make room for everyone.”

“Really?” asked Harry. “That should certainly be a sight.”

It was. Harry stepped out of the pub to the tumultuous applause of the few hundred students and aurors gathered in the magically enlarged alley. He had tried to convince the Ministry to let the muggles from Godric’s Hollow attend, but after an hour or so of heated argument, he finally relented due to the fact that the numerous magical items in the stores might cause some of them to panic.

“Mate,” grinned Ron, walking over to Harry and clapping him on the back. “You about ready?”

“Let’s get this party started,” he smiled.

“Alright everyone!” called the Minister, who was standing next to the brick wall. “We’re about to begin!”

A loud cheer went up and Harry smiled as the beginnings of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture began to play in Diagon Alley.

“And....forward march!”

The archway opened and cheers erupted from the crowd gathered as the people began to walk forward, Harry and Hermione bringing up the very rear, flanked by Tonk, Remus, Moody, Ron, and Luna.

Harry waved politely to those in the crowd as he passed them for the next twenty minutes or so, watching as some people tried to get close enough to ask for autographs, others tossing money at them, even others holding up signs with offers of marriage.

As the parade passed Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes, Harry looked up and saw Fred and George on the roof of the building working busily.

“Fireworks,” said Ron. “They’re going to set them off after your speech.” It was customary for recipients of the First Class award to give a quick speech upon reception.

“I was wondering why I didn’t see them,” replied Harry. “Aren’t they getting Order of Merlin also?”

“From what they’ve been saying, they’re going to ride in on the same brooms that they left Hogwarts on, great iron peg and all.”

“If that’s not symbolic, I don’t know what is,” remarked Hermione, blushing slightly as another compliment flattering her physique was yelled from the crowd.

“He’s quite right about that one,” whispered Harry in her ear.

“Stop it,” laughed Hermione, swatting at him.

About twenty minutes later they reached the large clearing in front of Gringotts, where hundreds of chairs and a great stage had been set up. The scene reminded Harry of a muggle graduation ceremony. Those in the parade all took their seats, and waited for the Minister to begin as he went up to the podium on the stage.

“Great people of our world,” he began. “Today marks the greatest day of our generation!”

A loud cheer erupted from the crowd when he said this.

“Today, we honor those who are responsible for this triumph, in the largest awarding of the Order of Merlin in history!”

Harry tuned out the Minister as he began to call names for Order of Merlin 3rd Class, and instead focused his attention on the cheering spectators.

His eyes fell onto a red-headed woman who couldn’t have been older than twenty-five. She was holding a baby wrapped in white blankets in her arms, and unlike the others who were cheering and shouting uncontrollably, she watched peacefully with a regretful smile on her face, as if remembering something wonderful from the past.

“Remus,” whispered Harry. “You see that woman over there?” Remus saw the woman he was pointing at and nodded. “I want to meet her.”

“Now?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes, have one of the aurors bring her over.”

“Harry, everyone will see,” Hermione pointed out.

“I’ll duck into that shop,” he said, nodding at Hennesy’s Household Helpers.

“Be quick about it,” hissed Remus as Harry got up and excused himself.

Harry managed to sneak into the shop unnoticed, and after a quick conversation with the owner, was left alone momentarily as the woman was ushered into the store.

“Um...” she said nervously, as the aurors closed the door behind her. “I’m sorry...I’m not sure how to address you, Mister Potter.”

“Harry is fine,” he smiled. “You’re probably wondering why I asked to talk to you.”

“Yes,” she nodded shyly.

“What’s your name?”

“Anna Koufax,” the woman said nervously.

“You need not be so tense Anna,” smiled Harry. “I mean no intrusion.”

“It’s an honor to even be speaking with you sir...I’m not used to being accosted by celebrities.”

“Hardly,” laughed Harry. “In a few years they won’t even remember my name.”

“That’s not true,” said Anna, shaking her head. “You’ve saved our world...we owe you everything.”

“Thank you, but I already have what I desire most.”

He looked out the window at Hermione, who was sitting watching the ceremony. Anna followed his gaze and smiled at him.

“You two make a wonderful couple.”

“Thank you,” nodded Harry. “She means the world to me.” He noted a flicker of sadness cross the woman’s face at this remark. “May I ask you why the father of your child is not with you today?”

“He...he was killed by Voldemort earlier in the year,” she said softly. “He worked for the ministry...one of the new regulators of the floo network. The death eaters...they tried to buy him out...they wanted access to the system, but he turned them down.”

“I see,” said Harry.

“They killed him while the baby and I were out,” she continued. “I came home and saw the mark floating over the house...”

Her voice became choked at this point, and Harry moved forward to place a steadying hand on her shoulder.

“Say no more,” he said softly. “I also know what it’s like to lose a loved one.”

“Does the pain go away?” she asked, a tear falling down her cheek.

“It gets easier with time,” said Harry, “but it never truly goes away. Tell me, what is your child’s name?”

“Madeline,” said Anna, wiping at her eyes.

“That’s a beautiful name,” smiled Harry, looking at the baby who stared back at him with round blue eyes. “I have to get back outside, but I would like to do something for you before I go.” He motioned to one of the aurors to step inside.

“Yes?” the auror asked.

“A Gringotts redemption slip, please,” said Harry.

“What are you doing?” asked Anna, as the auror quickly procured a slip of parchment and a quill for Harry.

“Because of my lineage and fate, I have much more money than one could ever need in a single lifetime,” he said, scribbling on the parchment. “You are widowed, and a mother. I’d rather see you raise a fine upstanding member of society with the help of my gold, than to have it sit and rot in my vault.” He signed the slip and handed to Anna, who gasped upon reading it.

“I can’t take this,” she said, trying to hand it back. “A hundred thousand galleons?”

“Believe me when I say it’s less than one percent of my total wealth,” smiled Harry, pushing her hand away. “I’ve been planning to give most of it to charity so I think using a little bit to help a mother in need counts, don’t you agree?”

“I...I don’t know what to say...”

“You can say ‘thank you’, and leave it at that.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re most welcome,” smiled Harry. Peering out the window, he saw Fred and George on the roof of the building across the street, brooms in hand. “It looks like they’re about to start the 2nd class awards, so I should get going. Spend that well, alright?”

Anna nodded and watched speechlessly as Harry exited the store, taking his seat beside Hermione a moment later.

“Good deed for the day done?” asked Hermione quietly as Rufus started speaking again.

“I think so,” replied Harry with a smile. “I gave a mother who lost her husband to Voldemort a hundred thousand galleons.”

“That’s very sweet of you,” said Hermione, taking his hand and giving it a light squeeze.

“Order of Merlin, Second Class, Fred and George Weasley,” pronounced Scrimgeour. Harry looked up and grinned as the twins hopped on their brooms, the infamous iron peg swinging from George’s as they flew in circles above the masses to the loudest applause Harry had heard yet. Landing on the stage, they both accepted their awards to great cheers.

“Tomorrow, a one-day special at Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes!” proclaimed Fred. “Everything in the store half off!”

Another great cheer rippled through the crowd, and even Harry joined in on the applause this time around. A moment later the twins mounted their brooms, waved to the crowd, and sped off into the sky.

“Order of Merlin, Second Class, aurors Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Alastor Moody,” said Rufus. Harry grinned as Tonks’ face turned as pink as her hair at being called by her real name. She, Kingsley, and Moody made their way up to the stage and accepted their awards graciously, the crowd cheering in approval the entire time.

“Order of Merlin, Second Class, Remus Lupin.”

This time Harry stood and cheered, which incited the crowd even more. Remus shook the minister’s hand and Harry saw Rufus whisper something in his ear as he did so. Smiling, Harry watched his mentor make his way back to him, looking quite surprised.

“He offered me a spot in the auror division,” said Remus stunned, taking his seat.

“Congratulations!” exclaimed Harry and Hermione at the same time.

“Thanks,” he nodded, completely flabbergasted.

“Order of Merlin, Second Class, Ronald Weasley.”

Harry looked on at his best friend with such pride as Ron headed towards the stage. Of all Harry’s personal friends aside from Hermione, Ron was the only one to receive an award higher than third class, solely for his role in aiding Harry during his quest for the bracelet.

Harry glanced over at where the Weasley clan was sitting and chuckled when he saw Molly blowing her nose on a handkerchief.

“She must be so proud,” said Hermione.

“Ron must be thrilled,” laughed Harry. “After all of the competitiveness, he finally has something neither Charlie or Bill has.”

“Now he just has to open a business and he’ll be even with the twins,” chuckled Hermione.

Ron walked back down to where Harry and Hermione were, giving them the thumbs up before taking his seat.

“And now, for the awards of the day,” said Rufus, raising his hands. “Order of Merlin, First Class, Hermione Granger.”

“Go get ‘em,” smiled Harry, as Hermione rose from her seat to the loudest applause yet. Standing near the crowd, but inside the barriers set up to separate the spectators from those in the parade, were her parents, embracing each other with tears of pride and joy running down their faces. Marilyn’s leg had been expertly healed by Madam Pomfrey, and she was now walking on it as if new.

Hermione shook hands with the minister as she accepted the award, and stepped up to the podium.

“I understand I’m supposed to say a few words after receiving this award,” she said, “but I’m sure my voice is not the one you wish to hear from today. So, if I may, Minister?”

“By all means,” nodded Rufus.

“Order of Merlin, First Class,” smiled Hermione. “Harry Potter.”

Harry rose to cheering and applause so loud, he thought swimmers in the English Channel might’ve heard it. Smiling as he walked up to the stage, he accepted the award from Rufus, and gave Hermione a quick hug before turning to face the crowd.

“It is truly remarkable, the difference one day can make,” he said as the crowd silenced quickly to hear his words. “The people who received awards here today all played a vital, and gruesome role in the one day that changed our world. That battle is now a part of our history, and it is crucial to remember history, and learn from it.” He looked out at his comrades in arms...Seamus was sitting proudly among them, showing no signs of the torture that had plagued him for months. “But I’m not here to talk about the bad. Let us talk about the good! Let us talk about the downfall of that rotten bastard who called himself Voldemort!”

Harry noted that a few people still flinched at the name, but all of them were screaming their approval nonetheless.

“I stand here today, asking you to remember why the atrocities that he rained upon us occurred,” said Harry, finding Anna in the crowd and smiling at her briefly. “It was because of a lack of wisdom, a lack of faith, and fear of change. I would remind all of you that a thousand great muggles aided us in the battle that day, and even though they’re not here with us right now, they still deserve equal recognition.”

Another great cheer erupted at this.

“I urge all of you to help the other side from time to time,” he said. “I don’t ask you to do it every day, but if, by chance, you see a muggle on the side of the parkway with a broken down automobile, give them a hand, treat them as if they were one of us. Times of peace last much longer with friendship, than with hate.”

He paused for a moment to let the applause die down.

“Today marks the dawn of a new age. From now on, we shall not live in fear of the future, of the possibility of terror. We shall live as one; a world united in under the idea of making it a better place for our children, so that they may not have to go through the hardships that we endured. I now have one final announcement to make,” he said, smiling at the crowd. “Up until this point, my life has been dictated by a madman. Who I lived with, how I spent my free time, everything. There are some of you who may have heard rumors of me attempting to become an auror.” Another cheer. “I have decided to not pursue this career.” The cheering quickly died down and was replaced with murmurs of confusion. “I have, instead, decided to honor the great sport that served as some of the only enjoyment I’ve had while battling Voldemort. Therefore, in the coming season, I shall be trying out to play professional quidditch.”

“Potter for the cup!” someone in the crowd yelled, and the cheers erupted again.

Harry smiled as he stepped back and shook the minister’s hand again. He was about to step off the stage when a glimpse of something caught his eye in the sky. Looking up, far, far above, a great white bird flapped its wings before disappearing a moment later.

“He’s with us even when we don’t expect it,” smiled Hermione.

“Truer words have never been spoken,” laughed Harry.

=====

“A toast!” exclaimed Molly, raising her glass. “To Harry!”

A round of applause and cheers sounded in the Burrow’s kitchen...Arthur had magically expanded it to make room for a great feast Molly had prepared. The entire Weasley clan was present, along with the entire Hogwarts staff (including Hagrid). Moody, Kingsley, Remus, and Tonks were also seated at the table, and Neville and Luna were also present, sitting next to their respective significant others. And for the first time in many, many months, Percy was with them, having reconciled with his parents in light of recent events. They had all enjoyed Molly’s great cooking and were now sharing stories and enjoying each other’s company.

“Stop,” groaned Harry. “You all deserve just as much credit as I do.”

“Oh come off it mate!” yelled Fred from the other end of the table. “We didn’t go around killing ourselves and then coming back from the dead!”

“Touche,” laughed Harry, and everyone echoed Molly’s sentiment as glasses were clinked and drinks were downed.

“Tell me you’re going to try for the Cannons first, mate?” asked Ron excitedly. “I’d love to get free tickets to the matches every now and then.”

“Your motives are completely unselfish, Ron,” grinned Harry. “Don’t you worry though, they’re high on my list.”

“Shame the Eternium broke though...I’m sure that would’ve improved your chances.”

Silence greeted Ron’s words, and it was only then that Harry remembered none of them knew about it.

“You had Eternium?” asked Arthur.

“Yeah,” said Harry. “It cracked when I saved Hermione from Voldemort’s control.”

“Probably from the emotion overload,” grunted Moody, and everyone turned to look at him. “Well I’m assuming you created it with love, lass.”

“How did you know that?” asked Hermione.

“Once upon a time,” grinned Moody, “I was just as smart as you are. You think I could’ve fought the hundreds of death eaters that I did and lived without some help?”

“You have it too?” asked Harry.

“Had it,” shrugged Moody. “Buried it...really too powerful for anyone to have. It’s a good thing yours cracked when it did. If Voldemort had gotten his hands on the stuff...”

“Pity though,” said Ron. “Imagine what Harry could’ve done for the world with it.”

“I would’ve had to lose Hermione in order to keep it,” said Harry. “And I think the world owes me her, at the very least.”

“Well said,” she grinned.

“Just make sure you don’t go getting yourself hurt playing quidditch,” warned Molly, obviously anxious to change the subject.

“What’s a few bumps and bruises here and there?” grinned Remus. “James would be ecstatic that Harry’s playing.”

“I know he would,” nodded Harry, making a mental note to tell his father when he had the chance.

“I’m glad you’re going to play,” said Hermione softly. “You deserve it.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t have a problem with it,” he replied. “You always looked terrified at my matches.”

“You’re much older and stronger than you were when you were eleven,” she pointed out. “And besides, now that I’m used to it flying isn’t so bad.”

“Maybe you’d like to go for a ride now?”

“Harry, is that a double entendre?” asked Hermione grinning.

“Only if you take it as one,” chuckled Harry, poking her side. “I meant it how I said it.”

“Let us excuse ourselves then,” smiled Hermione.

“We’re going to go get some air,” said Harry, standing up. “We’ll be back in a while.”

“None of that in the garden, mate,” joked George, lifting his glass to him.

“Who says I can’t do it on a broom,” teased Harry.

“I have no desire to hear anything of that sort,” said Ron, covering his ears.

“Don’t worry Ronnikens, you’ll get there too. Eventually,” laughed Fred, causing Luna to smile and Ron to redden.

Harry led Hermione out into the back and summoned his Firebolt from his room. Mounting it, he extended his hand to her and grinned.

“Still trust me?”

“Always,” smiled Hermione, getting on behind him.

Harry sped off into the warm night, flying just fast enough to make Hermione hold on to him tight. A few minutes later he stopped, the Burrow a tiny speck below them, the clear, sparkling sky above.

“Do you remember the first time we did this?” asked Harry, turning so he was sitting sideways.

“Of course,” replied Hermione.

“I only spent one night one the other side,” he said. “But I spent it flying like this. The night was just as clear as this one...and I remembered when you asked me if I really didn’t want to be in a world where you didn’t exist.”

“Fitting time to remember it,” chuckled Hermione.

“I can laugh about it now,” said Harry, looking at her. “But I didn’t want to stay there if you weren’t with me...it’s why I came back.”

“Thank you,” she whispered, leaning her forehead against his.

“It’s such a remarkable place, Hermione,” he sighed, looking at her. “Perfect white beaches, the air and water are so clean, everyone is so happy.”

“It sounds like paradise.”

“It is,” nodded Harry. “Which reminds me, we have to go to the Ministry in four days.”

“Why?”

“I promised my parents I’d have a chat with them one week after I left,” he smiled.

“You want me to come with you?” asked Hermione.

“Of course, you’re practically family,” he grinned. “Actually, there’s something I’ve been meaning to do, and now seems like a good time.”

“Harry?” asked Hermione as he began rummaging through his pockets.

“Here we are,” he said, his fingers closing around the velvet box. “I’ve been thinking.”

“About what?”

“About how I know I love you,” said Harry. “And how I know there’s no one else I want to be with.”

“Harry...” said Hermione, her eyes getting glossy.

“So, since we just won the war and all, I think now’s a pretty good time.” He took the box from his pocket and opened it, revealing a beautiful white gold ring with a sapphire set in the middle, flanked by two smaller diamonds. “Marry me?”

“Yes,” she whispered. “Yes!”

Harry grinned as he took the ring and placed it on her finger, stowing the box in his cloak before she threw her arms around him in joy.

“We’re going to be married,” she whispered, smiling at him, tears welling in her eyes.

“Yes we are,” replied Harry. “Do you think we should go spread the word?”

“In a little bit,” said Hermione. “I want to fly some more with you first.”

“Your wish is my command, Mrs. Potter.”

“Mrs. Potter,” smiled Hermione, as Harry swung his leg back over the broom so he was facing the right way. “I like the sound of that.”

And they sped off into the night.

=====

Four days later...

“Thank you,” said Harry, as the guard opened the gate to the elevator for him and Hermione.

“It’s nice being able to come and go as we please, without having to give them reasons,” commented Hermione as the door shut and they began to descend to the Department of Mysteries.

“Benefits of being ‘friendly’ with the minister, I suppose,” laughed Harry as the door opened and they stepped out into the long hallway.

A moment later they were walking down the stairs towards the arch, Harry hoping that his parents and Sirius had figured out his farewell to them. Stepping up to it, he glanced slightly at the hole at the base of the dias, but thought no more of it.

“Do you think it’ll work?” asked Hermione, holding a photograph of her and Harry celebrating after they had announced the engagement to the Weasleys.

“It should,” he replied. “If humans can pass through, why can’t pictures?”

“Is that you, Harry?” a voice called from the other side of the arch.

“Dad?”

“It’s good to hear from you again, son,” said James.

“You as well,” replied Harry. “Are mum and Sirius there?”

“We’re here,” said Lily. “How are you? Did everything work out?”

“Yeah, it all worked out,” nodded Harry. “It’s a bit much to explain though.”

“We literally have all the time in the world,” laughed Sirius.

“Harry had used me as a horcrux, apparently,” said Hermione, stepping forward.

“Oh hello, we didn’t know you’d be here too,” said Lily warmly. “And everything’s all fixed now?”

“Good as new,” grinned Harry. “We have something for you all, actually.”

“Really?” asked James.

“Yeah,” said Harry, taking the photograph from Hermione. “Here it comes.”

With an expert flick of the wrist, Harry flung the photograph through the arch, which disappeared as it reached the gateway.

“Got it,” said Sirius a moment later.

“Wow...you look gorgeous, Hermione,” said Lily.

“Thank you,” she blushed.

“Wait a tic...what’s this?” asked James. Harry assumed he was pointing to something on the picture.

“That looks like...are you two engaged?” asked Sirius.

“We most certainly are,” replied Harry, wrapping his arm around Hermione’s shoulders.

From the other side of the arch Harry could hear his mother emit what sounded like a high-pitched squeal and James laughing.

“Look what you’ve gone and done,” he said. “You’ve made your mother go crazy.”

“I am not going crazy,” chastised Lily. “I’m just so happy for both of you.”

“Thanks,” said Hermione. “We’ll be sure to get you copies of the wedding photos.”

“I wish I could be there,” said Sirius. “Wedding of the decade, I reckon.”

“Of course,” agreed James. “You two must be the talk of the town right now.”

“Especially since they awarded us both Order of Merlin, First Class,” said Harry.

“Did they really?” asked James.

“Yep.”

“Congratulations, my boy,” laughed James, as Lily started to sniffle.

“And I’ve decided to play quidditch professionally.”

“Ha!” exclaimed Sirius. “You owe me a new broom, James.”

“You had a bet going?” asked Hermione.

“I really thought he was going to be an auror like me,” said James with a chuckle.

“You never saw him play like I did, mate,” said Sirius. “Bloody brilliant flyer.”

They all shared a laugh at this.

“Oh, by the way, you’re never going to believe who I saw in the market the other day,” said Sirius.

“Who?” asked Harry.

“Snivellus,” groaned James. “And I thought I was free of him.”

“Are you quite serious?” asked Hermione.

“Yeah, he’s here alright,” replied Sirius. “Seems to be much happier though, I actually saw him crack half a smile.”

“Try not to get into it too much with him, dad,” asked Harry. “He did save my life, after all.”

“I know, I know,” sighed James. “I’m going to do my best to stay as far away from him as possible.”

“Good,” laughed Harry. “Well, we need to be going,”

“So soon?” asked Lily.

“The minister doesn’t want us to spend to much time down here...he doesn’t even know what we’re doing,” said Hermione. “But we could come back every week at this time?”

“Sounds like a great idea, we can all catch up on the goings-on in our respective worlds,” said James.

“Next week then,” smiled Harry.

“See you then!” called Lily.

“They can’t see us, dear they can only hear us,” corrected James.

“You know what I meant, you git,” laughed Lily, as their voices began to fade away.

“That went well,” smiled Harry, wrapping his arms around Hermione.

“That it did,” she grinned leaning against his chest. “You have wonderful parents.”

“Maybe someday we’ll bring yours along so they can all meet and talk about us as babies,” laughed Harry.

“That’s not a bad idea,” said Hermione. “After the wedding though, I don’t want to hear anything about how you used to run around the house in your nappies or something like that before I marry you,” she joked.

“Forgive me if I don’t believe I ever did anything of that sort,” laughed Harry as they began to walk back up the stairs.

“What would you like to do now?” asked Hermione. “We have the whole day ahead of us.”

“Let’s start planning our wedding,” smiled Harry. “Molly says she knows these really great twins who are wedding planners, thinks they’d be perfect for us.”

“Let’s go drop them a line, then.”

Harry stopped at the top of the stairs and looked back down at the arch. ‘It’s really amazing how much can change in a few years,’ he thought, and they walked back out into the spinning room of blue fire.

=====

Four months later Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were wed at Hogwarts, Professor McGonagal conducting the ceremony. During the reception, they were visited by Dumbledore who bestowed on each of them one of his feathers and some of his timeless wisdom, before wishing them well and departing.

Neville and Ginny married shortly after Harry and Hermione, and each took up positions in the ministry, Neville as an auror working directly under Remus, and Ginny in the Floo Regulation Panel.

The death eaters captured in the final battle, along with Bellatrix and Rodolphus, were sentenced to life in the newly built maximum-security prison hundreds of meters below Gringotts. With some careful negotiations, the goblins had agreed to lend the use of their dragons to guard the prison in exchange for the bulk of the treasury to be kept in their vaults, as opposed to in the ministry itself.

With much convincing on Harry’s part, Peter Pettigrew was not jailed, and instead exiled to Africa, where he lived among the rats until his death.

Very slowly, rumors of Voldemort’s supporters began to fade out of the daily discussions. The biggest concerns of the adults became who would fill the vacant teaching positions at Hogwarts. It was then that Hermione was contacted about the Defense Against the Dark Arts position, and after much discussion with Harry, took the job.

Two years later, Draco Malfoy returned to society a changed man, and with Harry’s recommendation, joined the ranks of the aurors alongside Neville.

As for Harry himself, he signed with the Chudley Cannons a few months after his wedding and, much to Ron’s delight, was able to secure him season passes for both him, and his new wife, Luna. His greatest day-to-day concern became the paparazzi obsessed with his personal life, but that was fixed with the purchase of a nice peaceful house in Godric’s Hollow near where his parents had lived. The villagers all respected his privacy, and restrained themselves from talking about Harry in his presence.

Tales of the great battle that others in the village took place in never faded from the stories though, and on occasion, from his comfortable armchair near the fireplace, Harry would hear the conversation of passing muggles outside, who would point and say, “That’s the house. That’s the house where Harry Potter lives.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

And that would be it. And each time Harry would smile to himself, lean back, and close his eyes. He would remember all that was, think of all that would be, toy with the stone bracelet still hanging from his right wrist, and run his fingers over the mark on his forehead, the only remnant he had left from his struggle against Voldemort: the lightning-bolt shaped scar.

And then he’d go have a slice of Pumpkin Pie.


THE END

---------------

Hahahahahaha, bet you all thought I was going to end it on the word ‘scar’ huh? Well I tried, but it really doesn’t work that well, and I liked that last line too much not to put it in there. I made a couple references to another great fanfiction in this chapter, so Pumpkin Pie to those of you who tell me when and where.

Wow. What a road it has been. It has really been a year filled with experiences for me, this story easily one of the best. I’ve gotten a job, quit said job, made money playing semi-pro poker, lost money playing semi-pro poker, sat in the freezing windy rain on top of the green monster to watch the last game of the Red Sox god awful season, fallen in unrequited love, and best of all, started applying to college.

This story, much like all of fanfiction, has been the anchor to my ship that navigates the stormy waters of life. Originally, fanfiction was my escape, my reprieve from those waters. Now, it is my gift to all you other mariners, for those of you who have it harder than I do. Remember, my goal in life is to provide light for others where darkness reigns supreme. I am truly proud of this story, enough so to call it my masterpiece. There will probably be nothing of novel-length variety from me anytime within the next many months, but I’ve already started putting together a nice little one-shot that you all will enjoy. It’ll probably be out sometime in January, and it’ll be called ‘Switcheroo’.

And now, I leave you with my final piece of wisdom. It is something that I think is very appropriate, given that my dreams of being a movie director didn’t come to fruition, and that I moved back here instead of remaining in Los Angeles.

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

As for now, thank you all. It has been a wonderful adventure, and perhaps sometime in the future, we shall all embark on another one together.

Your devoted author,
Greg S.
a.k.a. - TGF2K