What I Always Wanted

Searcy

Rating: NC17
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 25/05/2006
Last Updated: 20/06/2009
Status: Completed

Eight years after defeating Voldemort Harry Potter has everything he’s ever wanted…a successful career as an Auror…financial security…a comfortable home…good friends and a Dursley free existence. Yes Harry Potter has everything he’s ever wanted. Except a family of his very own. But with the help of a certain brown-eyed witch he just may get that too.

1. Prologue: Homecomings


What I Always Wanted

Prologue: Homecomings

Harry stepped out of the Auror Dissemination Chamber, a scowl marring his face. He ran a hand through his uncontrollable shoulder length ebony tresses as he stomped off down the hall. He and his team of aurors had just spent the last hour and a half being debriefed by the berk who passed as their superior, Agamenous Melbourne. Harry honestly couldn't believe the things that Melbourne has said to and about him. Harry knew that Melbourne was not overly found of him. They had never seen eye to eye on even the simplest of things. Melbourne was of the opinion that Harry had been given too much free reign because of his past successes. He also believed that Harry's methods were far too extreme. On more than one occasion Melbourne had called Harry cocky and arrogant and had even tried to have him sacked once. The two were so often at loggerheads that most in the auror department thought it was only a matter of time before one of them pushed the other too far. Today had been the day. Melbourne had gone too far today, he'd crossed the line and Harry had had enough.

Harry scrubbed his face with his right hand, pausing reflexively to stroke the beard that covered his jaw line and chin. Glancing at his watch he saw that it was nearly one o'clock. Normally after a debriefing he would head to his office and write out his report to be filed but such things were of no concern to him at the moment. He stood for a moment trying to decide what his next move should be. The answer came to him almost immediately, Harry decided to pay a visit to the Department of Mysteries and see his favorite unspeakable, Hermione.

Harry nodded hello to several witches and wizards he passed in the corridors as he exited the lifts, turned down a corridor to his left and rounded a corner drawing up short at a door to his right. He rapped lightly on the door and waited for a response. Hearing nothing he reached out and turned the knob and walked across the threshold into Hermione's empty office. A large L-shaped floor to ceiling bookcase crammed with books ran the length of the back wall and the wall to its right. Covering three fourths of the left wall was a row of floor to ceiling filing cabinets. The remaining portion of the wall was covered with citations Hermione had received and photographs of Hermione at various conferences and lectures and a side door that led to the main offices of the Unspeakable division's headquarters. Towards the center of the room was a large handsome mahogany desk; on the left hand corner sat a lovely antique brass lamp that had once adorned the desk in Hermione's father's study. Beside the lamp was a tray holding an array of requests categorized in order of importance. On the right was a pewter and brass inkwell and quill holder it held what seemed to be endless amounts of quills and inkwells overflowing with inks in every imaginable hue. The center of the desk was covered with a stack of books, several rolls of parchment, and photographs of Hermione's family. Three outsized dark brown leather chairs surrounded the desk, one behind it and two in front of it.

Harry closed the door of the office and dropped onto the dark brown leather couch just behind it. He opened the mini cooler that was jammed into the corner by Hermione's massive bookshelf and pulled out a bottle of ale. Unscrewing the cap he downed the drink in one gulp and grabbed another. Harry swung his feet up on the couch and stared at the moving photographs decorating the wall above him of himself, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and the rest of the Weasley clan. Having finished his second ale he contemplated whether or not to have another and finding no reason not to he reached into the cooler for the third time.

Harry was halfway through his fourth ale and dozing peacefully when Hermione entered her office through the side door beside the file cabinets. As she entered the room to her right she glimpsed a hulking figure lounging on her couch. The small smile that had touched the corners of her mouth quickly turned to a frown as she spotted the three empty bottles lying on the floor and the unfinished one clasped in Harry's hand. Striding purposefully across the room Hermione walked over to the couch and tapped Harry's shoulder.

“Budge up.”

Harry grunted as he opened his eyes and sat up on the couch and made room for Hermione to sit behind him. While he waited for her to get comfortable he raised the bottle of ale he'd been holding to his lips and knocked back the contents. Harry then leaned back into Hermione's embrace slumping down so low that his feet hung over the edge of the couch. With a sigh he closed his eyes. Hermione lightly traced his eyebrows with her index finger as she spoke.

“Your hair has grown out some and I see you have a beard now as well.”

Harry grunted as he slumped a bit lower on the couch.

Seeing that he wasn't in the mood for small talk Hermione got straight to the point.

“Had another run in with Melbourne have you?”

Harry cracked one eye open and grunted out the words.

“How'd you suss that out?”

Hermione smiled and continued her exploration of Harry's face.

“Well you've been back all of what two maybe three hours and already you're lying on my couch drinking yourself into a stupor.”

Harry grumbled and replied.

“Damn stupid prat he is! He's convinced himself that all these strange things happening are just coincidences. He doesn't find it the least bit strange that the same signs of Dark Magic have shown up in Transylvania, Romania and Yugoslavia. He thinks its just kids messing around! He thinks I'm overstating things…he actually had the nerve to tell me that I've got a glory complex…that I'm out there doing all this to keep my name in the bloody papers! That's not why I do this…”

Hermione nodded and muttered an encouraging yet incomprehensible reply as she unconsciously kneaded Harry's temples allowing him to continue venting his frustrations.

“How could anyone be so idiotic? He was a bloody auror himself for Merlin's sake! How could he be so thick as to think that I do this for the fame…as if fame alone would be worth seeing the things I've seen…doing the things I've done…”

Harry's voice dropped an octave with each word until it was only just a whisper. Hermione cradled his face in her hands and directed his gaze towards her own and replied softly but firmly.

“He judges your motives by his…its what most people do, they see the world from the only point of view they know…their own. Melbourne assumes you do what you do for fame and glory because that is his motivation. And though he has seen a great deal of the same things you have seen having been an auror himself he has no idea what you have lost and because of that he can not begin to comprehend your actions or your motives.”

Hermione stopped her speech and smiled warmly at Harry and added.

“And he's an impressively stonking git.”

At those words the corners of Harry's mouth turned upwards in a smile. Hermione's smile brightened as she lowered her lips to Harry's and kissed him tenderly on the lips. At the feel of Hermione's lips pressing against his Harry swiveled around so that he was facing her. Readjusting himself and drawing her to him he laid her on the couch and covered her body with his own. He smiled leisurely as he lowered his mouth to hers. The kiss was a slow passionate affair. Their tongues made sweeping arcs as they languidly explored every inch of each other's mouths. Harry smiled as he cupped Hermione's face in his hands and softly brushed his lips against hers. She responded by wrapping her arms about his neck and opening her mouth to him. Harry gladly accepted her invitation and swept his tongue over her lips and into her mouth. He moaned as she flicked her tongue against his and pressed her body against his.

Harry hadn't kissed Hermione properly in what felt like ages thus the feel of her body pressed against his and the sweet taste of her on his tongue was intoxicating. Losing himself in the moment Harry wrapped his arms tightly about Hermione's waist and leaning back against the arm of the couch behind him lifted her onto his lap. A lustful half moan half gasp escaped Hermione as she settled her bum against Harry's lap and in what was clearly a practiced motion that had been repeated countless times she looped her arms more securely around Harry's neck and slipped her fingers into the fringe at the nape of his neck drawing his mouth to hers as she deepened the kiss.

Harry moaned into Hermione's mouth and intensified the movements of his tongue, touching and tasting every inch of her mouth. Hermione moaned erotically against his mouth and matched his movements. Oblivious to anything but the feel and taste of Hermione Harry released the fastenings of her robes and slipped his hands underneath her pale blue jumper. As he caressed the supple skin of her back Hermione seemed to melt into Harry's touch. Smiling into the kiss Harry allowed his hand to journey further up Hermione's back and was pleasantly surprised to find that she was not wearing a bra. With the practiced skill of a seeker Harry rotated his hands around to Hermione's front and cupped her bared breasts. Her response was a whimper and a seductive arching of her back. Though the movement tore her lips away from Harry's as her head drifted back it simultaneously thrust her full breasts into his palms and exposed the column of her throat to his lips. Harry wasted no time in leaning forward and inhaling deeply, he allowed the trademark scent of citrus and vanilla that perpetually enveloped Hermione to fill his nostrils. He opened his mouth and flicked his tongue across the delicate skin of her throat. Merlin she tasted even better than he remembered. Harry slowly kissed his way up Hermione's neck and jaw to her ear licking, sucking and nibbling as he kneaded her breasts in his hands. He felt his groin tighten as Hermione rolled her hips wantonly against him. Hermione raised her head and cupping his face in her hands pulled Harry's lips back to her own as she wrapped her legs around his waist. Harry smiled fleetingly as he readjusted their positions again, lying Hermione back on the couch. Between eager kisses he breathed out.

“God, Hermione…I've missed you so much!”

Hermione moaned a reply.

“I've missed you too!”

Their kisses intensified and soon Harry felt Hermione's hands as they closed around the buckle of his belt and deftly began releasing the clasp. Harry enthusiastically pushed Hermione's robes up her smooth honeyed thighs. Hermione was massaging Harry's erect member through his trouser as she nearly had his belt undone Harry meanwhile had hooked a finger in her black lace knickers and was tugging them down frantically as he laved her exposed cleavage with his tongue when the side door to Hermione's office banged open and a happily excited voice attached to a slender blue-eyed brunette burst into the room animatedly chatting away.

“Ms. Granger I've got that book you asked about on archaic forms of Celtic and Druid magic and while I don't see the particular passage you where referencing I did find something equally interesting…its a…oh my…I…I…I'm so sorry…oh…I should…oh my!!”

The young witch dropped the book she'd been holding and covered her face with her hands as she turned and bolted for the door. Harry and Hermione sprang apart straight away. Harry turned and faced the wall and set about closing his trousers as Hermione frantically tugged her various articles of clothing back into their proper places. Hermione ran a hand through her hair vainly attempting to order her tousled curls as she called out to the young woman.

“Daphne please wait!”

The young witch stopped abruptly midway through the door and very slowly turned halfway around, her cheeks were blood red from embarrassment and her hands shook slightly as she waved them around in time to the frantic words that flowed breathlessly from her mouth.

“Oh Ms. Granger…I'm so so sorry…I should have knocked…I…”

Hermione interjected as she walked to where the younger woman was standing and patted her arm reassuringly.

“Its alright Daphne it wasn't your fault…its ours. Harry has been away for quite some time now and we got a touch carried away with our hellos.”

Hermione paused and turned to look at Harry who was picking up the book that Daphne had dropped upon seeing them in their moment of passion. Hermione admonished Harry with her eyes not to say anything inappropriate as she went about making introductions.

“Harry this is my new assistant Daphne Greenfendle. Daphne this is Harry Potter.”

Harry smiled and said hello as he handed back the book Daphne had dropped. Daphne nodded stiffly, rapidly mumbling a hello and a thank you before plucking the book from Harry's hand and clutching it to her chest.

“Sorry about that.”

Harry jerked his head in the direction of the couch then continued.

“I've been in Transylvania for six weeks…reckon I got a bit beside myself…”

Harry allowed his voice to trail off into silence as he jammed his hands in his pocket. He stood there for a moment more before he spoke again directing his voice to Hermione.

“I actually came by to see if you had some free time…I fancied a chat about some…er…ummm…personal matters.”

Hermione drew her bottom lip between her teeth as she glanced down at the watch at her wrist to check the time. She knew Harry well enough to know that “personal matters” was his way of asking her to skive off work for the afternoon. As she mulled over her next move Hermione heard the sound of rustling parchment coming from her desk. Turning around to see the cause of the sound she saw Daphne standing behind her desk collecting all the books and research Hermione had been poring over. Daphne smiled and said.

“I'll finish off this bit of research and clear your calendar for the rest of the afternoon. If Mr. Moore inquires I'll tell him you're off at the archives doing more research.”

That said Daphne turned and stumbled awkwardly through the door making sure to close and lock it behind her. Harry speared Hermione with a lustful glare and said.

“I like the way her mind works.”

Hermione grinned and replied.

“You would.”

Harry stepped nearer to Hermione and pulling her into his arms asked.

“Now then, where to?”

Hermione flashed him a seductive grin and whispered back.

“Surprise me.”

They disapparated with a pop.


-->

2. Here and Now


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 1: Here and Now

“Mmhmm…Ha…Harry…mmmm…pl…please…oooooh…don't…ahh…st…stop...mmmm…oooooh!”

Words fell from Hermione's lips in breathless stuttering moans. She could hardly compose a coherent thought with what all Harry was doing to her. A violent tremor shook her body as Harry's tongue circled her clit before he greedily sucked it between his lips. Her back arched of its own accord as she hastily tangled her left hand in Harry's hair as his mouth and tongue skillfully licked, sucked and caressed her. She could feel Harry's mouth smile against her nether lips as she used her hand to hold his head in place in an effort to encourage him to continue on with his exquisite torture of her. Again Hermione moaned.

“Unnnh…mmmm…Haaarrrry!!”

Harry's smile broadened while he sucked her throbbing clit into his mouth again assiduously stroking it around and around with his tongue. As he sucked her Hermione began to thrash about above him. Her voice trembled as she cried out to him alternately begging him to stop and not to stop. Harry continued on with his attentions until her hips began to buck wildly. He then swiftly pulled his mouth away from her and buried his throbbing erect penis inside the smoldering, wetness of her folds. Hermione gasped as she felt Harry sheath himself inside her. He filled her completely and she moaned in pleasure each time he plunged the hardness of his member inside her. Harry moaned as he gripped Hermione's hips and thrust himself frantically inside her. He could feel her moving beneath him, matching his movements and drawing him into her body more deeply. The rhythmic sound of their bodies merging together permeated the room, as did the echoes of their moans and grunts of pleasure. Hermione's cries of “Yes Harry”, “Don't Stop” and “Harder” were met by Harry's rejoining calls of “Feels sooo good”, “So lovely and wet” and “Oh yes Hermione yes”, until they both finally exploded in cataclysmically, mind-numbing orgasms. Panting and sweat soaked Harry rolled over onto his back pulling an equally out of breath and perspiring Hermione to his side. Leaning down he kissed her lingeringly before panting out.

“Brilliant! Bloody fucking brilliant!”

Hermione smiled tiredly and said.

“Brilliant doesn't even begin to describe what that was.”

Harry grinned.

“I take it you enjoyed that then.”

Hermione nodded.

“Mmhmm…I enjoyed it very much indeed! You were truly inspired Mr. Potter!”

Harry chuckled as he threaded his fingers through Hermione's hair and said.

“Well that'd be down to you thanks.”

Shifting so she could get a better look at Harry's face Hermione asked.

“And what did I do that was so inspiring?”

Harry smiled in reply and answered.

“Well its not everyday one finds the prim and proper Hermione Granger sans the appropriate support in her office now is it?”

Hermione laughed as she trailed a line of kisses up Harry's leanly muscled chest to his lips and whispered cheekily.

“Considering the fact that we've only just taken up this glorious new habit of shagging how would you know how often that occurs.”

Harry responded by thoroughly kissing her lips until they were once again breathless. Once they broke apart Harry said.

“If that is a regular occurrence I'm going to be spending loads more time in the Department of Mysteries.”

Hermione smiled as she wound her arms around Harry's neck and lovingly kissed his lips. Harry draped his arms about Hermione's waist and returned her kiss. Their kisses were leisurely and heady as they reacquainted themselves with the feel of each other's touch, taste and feel. Hermione pressed her body against the full length of Harry's while his hands began to trail across the familiar curves of her body. They pulled apart breathlessly. Sighing contentedly Hermione snuggled into the warmth of Harry's arms and closed her eyes. Harry wrapped his arms more closely around her and let his thoughts wander to how he and Hermione had come to be in this particular moment.

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger had been friends for nearly fifteen years. And in those fifteen years they had seen each other through more than the prerequisite ups and downs of the average friendship. Over the years that they had known each other Harry and Hermione had survived trolls, basilisks, Dementors, dragons, Death Eaters, reanimated Dark Lords and exploding bits of reanimated Dark Lords souls. And those were the easy parts. They had also seen each other through death, broken friendships, fractured egos, failed relationships, and one or two broken hearts. Yet, despite all their differences and through everything the world had thrown at them the two had always remained staunchly supportive of each other. When he'd had no one else Harry always knew that he could count on Hermione. Even by wizarding standards that was saying something. They had been such close friends for so long that it had come as quite a shock when he had realized that the feelings he was harboring for his friend of fifteen years went beyond friendly.

The how and why of Harry and Hermione becoming a couple had actually began eight years prior. Following their successful hunt for and destruction of Voldemort and his horcruxes the trio had returned home to much fanfare and celebration. They were heroes of the highest order. Their faces were plastered across every publication known to wizard kind. Parades, balls and all manner of ceremonies were held in their honor. A ward was named in tribute to them at St. Mungos. And though the day of Voldemort's demise had been formally christened as `Harry Potter Day' by the Ministry, both Ron and Hermione's birthdays had been made official wizarding holidays. After the initial week of celebrating (it took a full two months for things to properly settle down) the trio had stepped out of the piercing spotlight and settled down to spend time with those closest to them and to decide how to get on with living their lives.

As usual it had been Hermione who figured out the proper course of action. Once they had all somewhat adjusted to a normal everyday existence she had contacted Hogwarts' Headmistress Minerva McGonagall and inquired about NEWTS of all things. Ron had reiterated his long held believe that Hermione was mental but Hermione had reasoned that if they wanted to pursue wizarding careers it would help that they were fully qualified wizards. Ron had said that defeating You-Know-Who and his cronies should have been qualification enough. He added that considering all they'd been through they should be paid for merely surviving. Hermione had called Ron daft and after a minute or two of back and forth chat Ron and Harry had agreed to Hermione's plan. And so armed with Hermione's notes from six years at Hogwarts and a timetable from McGonagall the trio began preparing for their NEWTS. Not surprisingly they all did quite well.

And so that fall as was expected Harry and Ron had entered Auror training together. Considering their rather advanced knowledge of defensive magic the pair had soared to the tops of their class and completed the three-year course of study quite handily. Upon entering the ranks of the Ministry's aurors they distinguished themselves immediately and were placed in the dark arts defense squadron headed by Kingsley Schaklebolt. After only two years of service Harry had been given his own team to captain. Quite naturally Ron joined him. Known surreptitiously throughout the auror department as the Horntails, Harry's team of aurors were the most elite of all the others. In those early days there were still a great many Death Eaters roaming about. Taking into account his history of dealing with their kind Harry, Ron and the rest of the Horntails job became that of sussing out and apprehending those Death Eaters who had managed to elude capture. As a result of their skill and prowess at their jobs Ron's and Harry's faces were constantly gracing the cover of The Daily Prophet following some epic capture of a Death Eater or some otherwise miraculous escapade. The number of awards and citations of state they had received from every corner of the wizarding world grew too numerable to list. They were undeniably the best at what they did. After all they were Harry Potter and Ron Weasley two thirds of the famed trio that had ended Voldemort's reign of terror. They were living breathing legends. Their squadron joked that just the thought that Harry Potter was after you was enough to make the average bloke surrender.

Hermione's life had followed a somewhat surprising path following the sweeping detour of the horcrux hunt and the final battle. She had quite naturally she scored the highest possible levels in all areas on the NEWTS with the exception of Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry had bested her by several percentage points. And while that came as no surprise what Hermione chose as a career shocked everyone who knew her with one exception. When Hermione announced that she would be taking a job at the Ministry of Magic as an unspeakable at Ron and Harry's going away dinner everyone present at the Weasley's dinner table had been thunderstruck. It seemed that everyone had expected Hermione to do something conventional…become a teacher or perhaps an advocate for lost causes like SPEW. No one had guessed she would become an unspeakable. As everyone else sat flabbergasted Harry had merely looked her in the eye and nodded his understanding. Harry was aware that Hermione's foray into the Department of Mysteries during their fifth year and the hunt for Voldemort's horcruxes had peaked her interests appreciably in the realm of those forms of antediluvian magic that many had set aside out of lack of understanding and the presumption of their having no practical use in the modern magical world. She had always said she wanted her magical career to make a difference. Harry was certain that Hermione becoming an unspeakable would do just that.

Thus while Harry and Ron were off in auror training Hermione was tucked away in the bowels of the Ministry of Magic's research department studying advanced magical forms of Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Charms, Potions, Transfiguration and Astronomy. She also studied Languages of Magical Beasts, Beings and Creatures, Advanced Sorcery, Evocation, Mysticism and Mystification, Divination, Temporal and Terrestrial Magic and Ancient Celtic and Druid Wizardry. Her vast studies lead Hermione to become the wizarding world's most celebrated and sought after authority on Ancient Magic. She amassed such a personal library of knowledge in the discipline that both Beauxbaxtons and Durmstrang had courted her to teach the subject to their young charges. She had of course declined saying if she was going to teach anywhere it would be at Hoggy Warty Hogwarts. Although she had written a few articles for the wizarding journal Ancient Magic Today and had given several lectures on Celtic and Druid Magic Hermione had no desire to teach. She was devoted to her work and most days she could be found at the place where her love of the discipline had been born; the Department of Mysteries, where she devoted her time to attempting to unravel the perplexities of such vast topics as life, death, time and love. It was not uncommon to find her working closely with aurors either, usually Harry's squad as he frequently called on her to suss out some heretofore-unknown text, spell, or charm that had him stumped.

It was during one of these consultations eight months earlier that Harry and inadvertently stumbled onto the fact that his friendly feelings for Hermione were of a more amorous sort. Harry had just returned from Romania where he and his team had been looking into some curious dark activity. In the course of the investigation Harry had come across a journal of spells, several of which he recognized as variations of some very dark magic. However the last pages of the journal had been filled with a series of bizarre symbols that vaguely reminded him of the sort of ciphers he'd seen Hermione pouring over in her studies of Celtic and Druid runes and the like. Harry suspected that something was very odd about the journal and thought it was a good idea to have Hermione take a look at it. But knowing how his boss, the Deputy Chief of Magical Law Enforcement Agamenous Melbourne was libel to react to his suggestion that they look further into a diary (Melbourne was still fuming over Harry's having gone over his head to the Chief Minister of Magical Law Enforcement, Caiaphas Artaxerxes about the Yugoslavia matter) he'd pocketed it and decided to show it to Hermione himself once he was back in London.

Upon arriving in London two days later (a Saturday to be exact) Harry headed straight to Hermione's where he produced the diary and explained his theory. After receiving a through lecture on the impropriety of having taken the journal without following proper procedure the pair spent the remainder of the afternoon and half of the night working out the origin of the symbols. Having been sent home and ordered to get some rest by Hermione Harry had apparated home intent on sleeping for a few hours then returning to Hermione's flat to see what progress she'd made. However, that plan failed to materialize once he arrived at his flat to find his then girlfriend Ginny Weasley pacing the floor with an angry grimace contorting her otherwise lovely countenance. Before he could ask what was wrong Ginny rounded on him and asked where he'd been. Harry had stared at her before replying that he'd just gotten back from a mission. Ginny retorted by telling him that she knew that he'd been back for hours. She went on to recite the exact time that he and his team had arrived that morning, when he entered and exited his debriefing, the exact hour that his report containing his findings was filed, as well as the precise moment that he had left the Ministry of Magic.

Harry made a mental note to kill Percy the next time he saw him. Since returning to the Weasley fold the dunderhead had been doing any and everything he could think of to stay in the good graces of his siblings. Thus he'd taken to Harry watching. Every step that Harry made within the walls of the Ministry of Magic were reported back to Ginny with unnerving accuracy. Harry barely had time to complete the thought of how exactly he was going to dispense with Percy though because Ginny had raced off into a full flowing tirade about being sick of being the last priority in his life. She then proceeded to angrily demand to know where he had been and with whom. Harry had merely stared at her resolutely keeping his mouth tightly shut. After several minutes of tense silence Ginny informed Harry that she was through with him and that she no longer wanted anything to do with him romantically. That said she disapparated with a crackle and Harry to angry to sleep went to the one person he knew would understand. It was a testament to the strength and closeness of their friendship that Harry wasn't hexed to death when he apparated into Hermione's study at nearly midnight ranting and raving about Ginny and her absurd behavior. Hermione who had been in the middle of decoding a particularly interesting portion of the diary that Harry had nicked sat up and listened to Harry rage as he wore a rut into the floor. Once he'd settled down and stopped storming about she imparted what wisdom she had to offer on the subject of dating a Weasley.

Hermione and Ron had given dating a try following the end of their self-imposed quest with Harry. The relationship had lasted for three months. It didn't take the pair very long to figure out that beyond their close friendship and the remarkable ability to drive each other mad there was naught else to the relationship. The endlessly gratuitous bickering that everyone had taken to be repressed sexual tension was in fact just gratuitous bickering. Though they'd tried valiantly to make things work between them the last straw had been Hermione's decision to become an unspeakable. Ron had tried to talk her out of taking on the job saying it was too dangerous and not the sort of thing that she should get into alone. The ensuing row caused quite a bit of damage to Ron's ego, several pieces of furniture and half of Great Britain's eardrums. After a two week cooling off period the two had mutually agreed to end the amorous bit of their relationship and go back to being best friends only. At the time that Ron and Hermione had ended things Harry had been strangely happy over the breakup. He told himself that it had been his fear of the two breaking up and asking him to choose between them when in all actuality the thought of Ron being intimate with Hermione had left him with a feeling that he equated with vomiting up slugs.

Unlike his two best friends Harry had avoided any romantic entanglements upon returning from his quest. He felt that he needed time to process everything he'd been through and get some sense of stability before he started mooning over some witch. He knew that everyone who knew of his past relationship with Ginny was waiting for the moment that they'd get back together. No one was more obvious about this than Molly Weasley. She took great pains to pair the two up whenever possible. Seating them beside each other at family dinners, having Ginny stop by Harry and Ron's flat with a hamper of Harry's favorite foods or asking Harry to stop by Ginny's flat to replenish a lapsing ward or some other such trivial nonsense. Things had gone on like that for the entire duration of his auror's training but he'd simply ignored the anvil sized hints Molly dropped and focused on doing something he hadn't done much of before…living.

While Molly Weasley and every other mother of a single of age witch were plotting ways to marry their daughters off to the much sought after Victorious One, Harry was making a name for himself as a successful auror and enjoying the relative normalcy and peace of his existence now that he was no longer the target of a psychotic dark lord. Between his inheritances from his parents and Sirius as well as the sizable amount of galleons he brought in as an auror (aurors were paid very well for constantly risking their lives) Harry and Ron were able to afford a very large and comfortable flat. The London flat had been ideal. As they both worked at the ministry, getting to work was never a problem. Both Ron and Harry had a tendency to oversleep. As it was London they never at a lost for things to do when they weren't working; hanging out with the twins, double dates, weekend Quidditch matches, parties and concerts, Thursday nights at the Leaky Cauldron with Hermione, it was the perfect life for a young bachelor leaving the nest and testing his new wings for the first time. Yes, things had been great for four years. Harry had been having the time of his life. And he may well have gone on that way indefinitely if Ron hadn't started dating Luna Lovegood. Not that anything was wrong with Luna mind you, true she was a bit batty but she was a wonderful person otherwise and she seemed to make Ron tremendously happy which Harry was truly pleased about as he thought no one was more deserving of that kind of happiness than Ron but it had definitely thrown a wrench in things.

It became apparent soon after the two began seeing each other that this was not one of Ron's typical relationships. Every spare moment Ron had he spent with Luna. Her quirky eccentrism played well against Ron's snarky sense of humor. She was always appropriately impressed by his exploits. And unlike all his previous girlfriends (excepting Hermione) Luna was unfazed by Molly's overprotective sometimes overbearing manner. Therefore it hardly came as a shock when five months after he and Luna began dating Ron moved out of the flat that he shared with Harry and set up house with Luna in a quaint little cottage he'd bought in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Seeing Ron settling down took some of the fun out of his social life. He still hung out with the twins, had dinner with Hermione on Thursdays, and went to Quidditch matches with Ron but his nights out with witches became fewer and farther between as did the parties and the concerts. As he spent more time alone he began rethinking his priorities. He began to wonder whether his carefree bachelor lifestyle was truly what he wanted.

It was around this time that Ron had been severely injured during a mission in Belarus. His injuries while not fatal were severe enough that they had forced him out of his more active auror duties, i.e. no field work. Following his recovery Ron stayed on with the Horntails as a strategist and investigator much to the chagrin of his then fiancée Luna Lovegood. Luna had never liked the fact that Ron was an auror but as he generally came home in one piece she'd taken his dangerous occupation in her stride. The moment that was no longer the case the future Mrs. Ronald Weasley had made it known that she'd not have the man she loved risking life and limb to protect Minister Stanley and his lackeys from Vamparic Spirivas and Hellfire Banshees. Despite her objections Ron had held firm and remained an integral part of the team for another year before deciding he'd had enough and hanging up his aurors robes for good. Ron had said it was simply time to make a change but Harry knew it was because he hated being left behind a desk while everyone else was off facing Merlin knew what. Harry also suspected that Ron's impending marriage to Luna Lovegood had also been a factor. After leaving the auror division Ron had taken a position with Fred and George at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. It seemed that Ron was rather adept at commerce and promotion. Since Ron had joined his brothers' enterprise the number of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes stores had grown from three to ten and their already thriving mail order business had expanded across the pond to the States. Although Luna was pleased that Ron was no longer an auror she stilled fretted over his safety being that he spent untold hours with Fred and George.

By the time Ron and Luna were married Harry's social life consisted mainly of dinners with the couple and Hermione and Ginny's weekly visits with a hamper of food from Molly. With his new more sedentary routine Harry often found himself having long conversations with Ginny on her visits about whatever came to mind. Before long they fell back into the comfort of their old friendship and by the end of that year their friendship had blossomed into a comfortable romance. Molly had of course been ecstatic as had been the rest of the family. Ginny was over the moon and within four months of their officially becoming a couple had began dropping hints about marriage. It seemed that Ginny believed that Harry's entering into a relationship meant he was of a mind to get married. So Ginny had tried to be the perfect girlfriend as she waited patiently for Harry to ask her to marry him. But as the relationship wore on and the two got no closer to being married Ginny began to become belligerent and suspicious. She convinced herself that Harry was seeing someone else and began keeping a close eye on his comings and goings. This started a cycle of bickering that rivaled Ron and Hermione's legendary rows. Harry tried as best he could to allay Ginny's worries but the only remedy for it seemed to be a proposal and an engagement ring and Harry knew that he was just not ready for marriage.

Harry found out later that the night of Ginny's tirade had been their sixteen month anniversary. Ginny had had Percy checking when he got in so that they could celebrate. It was a lucky chance that his arrival home had coincided with the exact anniversary date but Ginny had seen it as a sign from the fates that something significant was going to happen between them that night. Unfortunately for her the significant thing had been their breaking up for good. That night Harry and Hermione had stayed up into the early morning talking about their lives. What they wanted to accomplish in the present as well as in the future. Hermione had listened and offered advice and helped him to see how he had unwittingly lead Ginny to believe that he was ready for more than he truly was out of a relationship. It was that bit of understanding that had ultimately gotten them to the point where they now stood.

As one would expect things were quite tense between Harry and Ginny following their disastrous break up. And though none of the Weasleys blamed Harry unduly (it was the family's consensus that both Harry and Ginny were equally to blame) he thought it only right to give Ginny time to adjust. As such Harry went into a sort of self imposed Weasley isolation. He still saw the twins and Ron quite often but he opted to stay away from any and all family gatherings. Hermione opted out as well to keep him company on those days when they would otherwise have been ensconced in the Burrow. This meant that Harry and Hermione were spending even more time together than usual as they were still working together to sort out the meaning of the journal Harry had found in Romania. Over the course of the next two months spending so much time with Hermione Harry began to really get to know her. In all honesty there wasn't much that he didn't already know about her but he got to see her in ways he never had before. He found out that she loved to eat crispy duck and spring rolls along with doners and curry. He learned that her sides and the bottoms of her feet were the most ticklish spots on her body, he learned that her eyes sparkled like stars when she was truly excited, that she smelled delicious…like citrus and vanilla and whenever she smiled at him he melted. Without even realizing it Harry had fallen for Hermione. It took Ron a chat with Ron to prod him into action.

During one of their Thursday nights at the Leaky Cauldron Ron had noticed Harry's preoccupation with Hermione. When she and Luna excused themselves from the table to go to the ladies Ron had questioned Harry about his odd behavior. With a little prodding Harry had told Ron of his sudden attraction to their mutual best friend. Of all the reactions Harry had expected the one he never would have imagined was the one he received. Ron had laughed. After getting over his initial shock at Ron's reaction Harry was informed that Luna had told Ron ages ago that Hermione was far better suited to his temperament than Ginny was. And quite recently she had told him that she suspected the two were finally at a point to accept their feelings for one another and that according to the alignment of the stars and the upcoming hatching of the Slimbledinger Humbat such an invitation by one to the other would be most favorably received. Needless to say Ron had spent the remainder of the evening snickering every time Harry and Hermione so much as glanced in each other's direction.

Whether it was the absurdity of the situation or a secret wish that Luna was indeed onto something later on that evening when Hermione had asked Harry about Ron's odd behavior he had told her everything. He told her about his conversation with Ron and Ron's conversation with Luna. He told her about the feelings he'd been having and asked if she would or could consider such a thing. Hermione had begun gnawing her bottom lip in that way she had when she was contemplating something. Slowly she'd raised her eyes to his and just as slowly she'd nodded her head. Naturally they'd done a great deal of talking that night about how they'd both been feeling this way about each other and if they could really make it work without ruining the friendship. In the end they'd decided to just be honest and take things slow.

That had been six months ago. As he lay there with Hermione curled up next to him sleeping peacefully he wondered how he'd managed to go from one relationship that had been all wrong to one that felt just right. The sensation of someone watching him drew Harry from his thoughts. He looked down and found Hermione staring up at him quizzically. In a delicate voice she asked.

“What are you thinking about?”

Harry smiled in reply and said.

“You.”

Arching her brow playfully she inquired.

“And would this thinking you've been doing concerning me be nearly as inspiring as your earlier contemplations?”

She smiled up at him invitingly. Catching her meaning Harry smiled back and pulling her into his arms nodded and murmured “Mmhmm” as he kissed her passionately and proceeded to show her exactly how much she had indeed inspired him.


-->

3. Happy


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 2: Happy

“Oy, Harry, Hermione up you get now!”

As Ron's voiced echoed through Harry's bedroom. Harry rolled over onto his side and pulled his pillow over his head to deaden the sound.

“Budge up in there!”

Hermione likewise rolled over and emitted a soft groan as she extended her leg and kicked Harry sharply on the shin. Harry opened his eyes and saw the look swathing Hermione's features. It was what he and Ron had labeled her “Well, you should get a move on” face. Ron's voice rang out again.

“No time to be lazy layabouts! Get your arses out here!”

Harry sat up and tossed the tangled covers off his body. Standing to his feet he snatched up his discarded boxers from the floor and slipped them on. As he trudged to the door Hermione murmured sleepily.

“Do hit Ron with an itching hex or one of those really foul defense spells you know. Honestly bellowing at the top of his lungs when people are trying to sleep.”

Harry chuckled as he opened the door and made his way down the hall towards his living room. When he rounded the corner he caught sight of Ron sitting at the kitchen table eating biscuits from the tin that Hermione's mum had sent over. Harry spoke in a conversational tone as he stepped into the kitchen and walked to the refrigerator to fetch himself something to drink.

“Those biscuits have been sitting there for at least two months you know.”

Ron shrugged.

“They are a might dry I suppose but not bad otherwise.”

Harry shook his head as he took a jug of pumpkin juice from the refrigerator and poured two glasses. Handing one to Ron he said.

“Well when you become violently ill be sure to tell Hermione I hit you with a time-lapsed vomiting hex.”

Ron smiled at his best friend and said with a chuckle.

“Hermione asked you to do me bodily harm eh.”

Harry nodded as he took a seat across from Ron at the table.

“Yeah she did. You know how cranky she gets when you pop in unannounced. I reckon she thinks you're trying to peek at us shagging.”

Ron shivered as he replied.

“Trust me the last image I ever want burned into my mind is of you and Hermione having a shag. Although I suppose it would help Fred and George get the er…ahh…correct dimensions for the anatomically correct, fully functional, miniature models of you in the altogether they have it in mind to sell.”

Ron paused as Harry chocked on his pumpkin juice then continued by saying.

“And while I reckon it would have be a big seller that's not the reason I'm here...”

Harry interposed.

“I should bloody well hope not! “

Ron grinned and went on.

“Mum's been going on and on about never getting to see all her grown-up sprogs together anymore. Think she's been driving Dad a bit mad really. Anyway she's been going on and on about wanting all her children and grandchildren together for dinner without it having to be some special occasion like a wedding…so Dad owled the lot of us with the idea of a family dinner. Sounded alright to us so after weeks of planning by the women we all surprised her today.”

Ron paused in his soliloquy and grabbed another handful of stale biscuits. He popped two into his mouth and chewed vigorously. Harry shook his head in disbelief as he added in an obligatory “That's nice.” Ron nodded in agreement and finished off his handful of biscuits before speaking again.

“Yeah well just as we were about to sit down to eat Mum says everything would be just perfect if only all the children had been able to make it. Well Prat Percy looks at Mum like she's gone round the twist and informs here that all of her kids are there. Fred and George called him every kind of idiot they could think of before Dad stepped and said that you were off on a field mission and that he reckoned Hermione was off as well seeing as how she never responded to his owl. So then Mum looked up at the clock of hers and saw your arrow pointing to “home” and Hermione's to “visiting”…and I was sent to fetch you two for dinner.”

Harry nodded absently wondering why Hermione hadn't mentioned an owl from Arthur about a surprise dinner for Molly. He just caught the last of what Ron was saying.

“So get your trousers on.”

Harry raised an eyebrow and repeated Ron's words.

“Get my trousers on?”

Ron quickly replied.

“Yes get your trousers on. Mum won't eat unless you two are there, so the sooner you two get dressed the sooner we can get out back to the burrow and all of the food!”

Harry answered back.

“Ron it'll take a bit more than just throwing on a pair of trousers…”

Ron interjected.

“But I'm starving!”

Harry shrugged and said.

“So head back to the Burrow and tell Molly we'll be along directly.”

Ron shook his head.

“You don't understand…Mum won't let us touch one bloody crumb until you two get there and I'm not to come back without you!!”

Harry stood to his feet and shoved the jug of pumpkin juice towards Ron as he said.

“Finish off those biscuits and help yourself to whatever's in the pantry.”

Harry paused and a wide grin spread across his face as he added.

“I'll see about rousing Hermione.”

Upon seeing the look on Harry's face Ron called out to his retreating back.

“Oh bloody hell! For the love of Merlin use a silencing charm!!!”

0x01 graphic

Ron, Harry and Hermione arrived at the Burrow some thirty minutes later. As soon as she saw them Molly carved a path through the assembled crowd, Arthur walking in her wake, and pulled Harry into one of her bone crushing hugs. As had become her habit when Ron and Harry became aurors and returned from a mission Molly began examining Harry for injuries as she simultaneously queried him about whether or not he'd been eating and sleeping properly.

“Oh Harry dear its so good to have you home, let me look at you.”

Harry allowed Molly to turn him about a bit as he replied.

“It's good to be home.”

Molly muttered offhandedly as she continued to eye Harry up and down.

“And you've been eating properly and getting proper amounts of rest haven't you?”

Harry smiled and replied.

“As much sleep as work would allow and I've been eating though nothing as fine as your excellent cooking.”

Molly beamed as she looked up at Harry. Abruptly her eyes widened as she took in Harry's shoulder length hair and the beard he'd grown over the past six weeks.

“Merlin, Morganna and Circe, Harry what have you done to yourself!”

Ron shook his head wearily as his mother launched into one of her “You're such a handsome young man” speeches over Harry's sudden hair growth. Seeing that he was no closer to eating than he had been before Ron wandered over to a table loaded with nibbles and shoveled a handful of crisps into his mouth. Arthur Weasley patted Harry on the back welcomingly then left he and Molly to their conversation and ambled over to Hermione. After exchanging a few pleasantries Arthur said.

“Well I'm glad to see you here. I was a bit surprised when I didn't get an owl from you saying you could make it to the festivities, I assumed you must've been out of town.”

Hermione shook her head as she puzzled over Arthur's statement.

“Harry asked about that as well. It's odd that I never received your invitation. As near as I can tell it must have come during the space of time when Glenda my old assistant left and Daphne my new assistant arrived. There was a week or so when I was without an assistant at all and my mail was being handled by the departmental assistants.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and Arthur nodded knowingly.

“Ahh…well then that solves the mystery. I've yet to meet a ministry departmental assistant who can properly sort out mail.”

Hermione and Arthur shared a laugh. Molly turned her attention from Harry, who'd promised her that his rather scruffy appearance had been necessary to conceal his identity while on his mission and that he would not be keeping it. She directed her attentions to Hermione and Arthur and giving the younger woman a warm hug said.

“Hermione dear so lovely to see, your visits have been rather scarce lately. I don't think I've seen hide nor hair of you since Harry went off on this latest mission.”

Harry raised an eyebrow curiously as Hermione returned Molly's hug and muttered something about things being very busy at work of late. Molly stepped back and with a smile said.

“Work or not dear you should always make time for family.”

Hermione nodded her agreement and promised to do better as Molly patted her cheek. Molly stepped back and called out to the assemblage of redheads and the smattering of brown, blond and black that dotted in-between.

“Well then, enough talk…this is a family dinner…everyone into the dining room.”

As those words left Molly's lips Ron expelled a gigantic breath and bellowed out.

“Finally we can eat.”

Everyone let out a laugh at Ron's declaration but it was clear that his sentiments were felt in kind by all as they hurriedly trouped into the dining room and seated themselves at the table. It was clear that Molly Weasley had outdone herself for this occasion. Two large wooden tables had been set end to end and were positively groaning under the weight of their abundant contents. There was steak and kidney pie, Yorkshire pudding, kippers, roast chicken, lamb and turkey, ham, sausages, roast pork, runner beans, jacket potatoes, aubergines, beetroots, courgettes, parsnips and carrots and salad. For afters there was treacle tart, cauldron cakes, pumpkin pie, apple pie, fairy cakes, trifle, gateau, spotted dick and lemon tarts. There were flagons of pumpkin juice, tankards upon tankards of an assortment of ales and endless bottles of butterbeer and Ogden's Fire whiskey. Harry was reminded of his days at Hogwarts and the amazing feasts they put on. Looking at the fare spread out before him Harry didn't doubt that Molly's cooking would rival anything that the house elves had ever served. And much like Ron Harry was immeasurably happy when Molly told them all to tuck in.

0x01 graphic

Hermione stood in the kitchen of the Burrow stacking plates, bowls, saucers, platters and tureens back into their proper places in their respective cupboards. The Weasley women were similarly scattered about the room attending to various chores, with the exception of Molly who had been sent off to relax considering the fact that she had done all the cooking. Luna stood to Hermione's left idly floating the glasses, cups and cutlery back into their drawers and cupboards. Angelina and Alicia, Fred and George's wives were at the sink finishing the washing up. Percy's wife Penelope having just finished the sweeping and mopping in the dining room came into the kitchen and set to work on its floor. Ginny was wiping down the counters and the scrubbed wooden table where a very pregnant Fleur sat chatting with Charlie's fiancée Paige Donnelly as they packed away the last of the leftovers that were to be handed out to each Weasley child at the end of the evening.

A series of snaps, pops, dings and whistles followed by deep rumbling laughter could be heard coming from the living room as the men had settled themselves down to sample Fred and George's latest amusements. There was also a fair amount of squealing, clapping and excited chatter coming from the area as well as the littlest Weasleys enjoyed the show being put on. As an outstandingly loud boom rang out the children exploded into requests for Fred and George to do whatever they'd just done again. Fleur smiled and speaking to the wives of the masters of mayhem asked.

“Angelina, Alicia exactly what will I `ave to search William and Christian's pockets for before bed tonight?”

The two women at the sink shrugged their shoulders. Alicia answered first.

“Who knows what George and Fred have cooked up. Just last week Adam got into bed with one of those exploding edible candies of theirs…covered the whole bedroom in chocolate. Right mess it was. Told George if it happened again it'd take more than a wave of his wand to sort things out.”

Angelina chimed in.

“I know the feeling…Fred is always down in the basement mixing up trouble with Fredericka sitting right beside him. Sometime I think he even asks her for suggestions!”

Paige turned shocked eyes to Angelina and exclaimed.

“Asks her for suggestions…she only just turned three!”

Angelina simply nodded. Penelope inclined her head as well and said.

“Fred and George are always giving Perceus things to try…imploding slime filled slugs, and those treats of theirs that turn you into some sort of animal. Perceus is forever slipping them in with his dinner so he can turn into something or other at the dinner table…drives Percy mad it does.”

Paige's eyes widened in surprise, Fleur patted her hand and with a giggle changed the subject.

“So ow are things coming along with ze wedding plans?”

Paige smiled.

“Haven't gotten much done actually. With Charlie off in Romania most of the time and my schedule at St. Mungos there isn't much time left over for planning. I spoke to Molly the other day and she's more than willing to take on the planning and while I'm grateful for the help I really want Charlie and I to have a hand in the planning as it is our wedding.”

Silence descended over the room for several seconds before Luna said.

“Good luck with that.”

As Paige turned a confused face to Luna, Fleur, Penelope, Alicia, Angelina, Ginny and Hermione all burst out laughing. Paige aimed her perplexed gaze to them all in turn before finally asking.

“What's so funny?”

Angelina answered.

“What you said about it being your wedding and you not wanting someone else to take charge of things.”

Paige frowned again as she inquired.

“And why is that so funny?”

It was Ginny who answered this time.

“Because you're marrying a Weasley and Mum likes to know her boys are taken care of.”

Fleur cut in.

“And as she thinks no one can do zat better zan she can you are in for a bit of a bumpy road until Molly believes you worthy.”

Paige swallowed nervously. Hermione walked over and patted her on the back and said.

“No need to worry Paige, Molly may be a bit too overprotective at times but it's only out of love for her children. Once you get to know her better you'll see that she is really quite sweet.”

As the Weasley wives chimed in offering support of Hermione's characterization of the family's matriarch Ginny sarcastically tossed out.

“And she's forgiving too isn't she Hermione.”

All the light-hearted banter and laughter that had filled the room moments before evaporated as Hermione slowly rotated her head so that she was staring directly at Ginny. The two women stood glaring at each other. Ginny's hazel brown eyes sparkling wickedly as her beautiful red hair cascaded down around her shoulders. Hermione's chocolate brown orbs remained focused across the table on Ginny as she patted Paige's back a second time and said.

“You really have nothing to worry over Paige…I'm certain Molly adores you already.”

The tension in the room was evident as not another word was spoken. In the months since she and Harry had become a couple saying that Ginny had been cool towards Hermione would have been the grandest understatement of all time. And honestly Hermione had expected things to be a bit strained between them. Ginny had been infatuated with Harry since she was ten years old. Had even gone so far as to fancy herself in love with him, thus it was a given that she would be less than pleased with his and Hermione's relationship. But Hermione had sincerely hoped that given time Ginny would let go of her anger and move on. While she had moved on, Ginny was presently dating Marcus Gladdington heir to the Gladrags wizard wear empire, she still had not let go of her anger over her failed relationship with Harry and her annoyance at Hermione for landing him.

Hermione had felt it necessary that she and Harry be exceedingly forthcoming about what happened between them. Thus they had informed their family and friends of their dating almost immediately. Sure they received a few bewildered expressions but for the most part everyone had been supportive. Telling the Weasleys had been the hardest. Hermione didn't anticipate that they would all react like Ron had and to a point she had been right. Percy had been a git of the first order blatantly accusing she and Harry of carrying on behind Ginny's back. Ron had immediately jumped to their defense by telling Percy that unlike him neither she nor Harry were that disloyal and opportunistic. Bill, Charlie and the twins seemed a bit taken aback but took in their stride. All the Weasley wives mirrored their husband's reactions. Arthur and Molly while being understanding and supportive had worried how seeing them together would affect Ginny. Hermione understood their reservations and she made a point of keeping the more intimate side of their relationship away from public view out of respect for her long time friend.

Gradually everyone seemed to accept the new order of things and life went on as usual. But Ginny had yet to accept things and Hermione was beginning to doubt that she ever would. From the moment Harry and Hermione had revealed their new status to the Weasleys Ginny had been distant. She was never outwardly nasty considering that she had been the one to actually end things with Harry, and Molly and Arthur wouldn't have allowed her to behave horribly in their presence. But Ginny had become quite adept at making snide comments disguised as normal remarks in regards to Hermione herself or something that Hermione had said or done. In the beginning Hermione had accepted Ginny's actions as a natural part of the process of accepting things that would run its course in due time. But now with six months of said behavior in and no end in sight Hermione was fast approaching her breaking point. Suddenly the silence that blanketed the room was lifted as Fred and George's voices rang out through the room.

“You birds are awfully quiet in here.”

“What're you up to?”

Eight sets of eyes turned to the doorway to see the men traipsing into the kitchen. Hermione stepped away from the table and returned to the task of setting the dishes in their proper place. Ginny answered George's query with one of her own.

“Where are you lot off to?”

Charlie answered.

“Off to the orchard for a bit of Quidditch. You ladies care to join us?”

Fred turned his eyes towards his wife and raised an eyebrow. Angelina smiled as she said.

“No need to ask…of course I'm playing.”

Alicia smiled.

“I'm in.”

“So am I.”

Ginny chorused.

There was a moment when all that could be heard was the sound of chairs moving and people heading out the back door. Will, Christian, Adam, Perceus and Fredericka could be heard scuttling out the door whooping joyously about getting to see their parents, aunts and uncles play Quidditch. Molly and Arthur were even heading out to watch the impromptu match. Hermione however, remained where she was. Molly looked over and noticing her still putting away dishes said.

“Hermione dear aren't you coming?”

Hermione replied easily.

“I'll be along as soon as I finish up here.”

Molly was about to tell Hermione that the kitchen would keep just fine when Harry waved her off and signaled to her that he'd handle things. Molly nodded and slipped out the back door without another word. Quietly Harry walked across the room until he was just behind Hermione. Reaching out he wrapped his arms about her waist and drew her to him and whispered softly in her ear.

“Want to tell me what went on with you and Ginny that has you so upset?”

Hermione asked.

“What makes you think something went on with Ginny and I or that I'm upset?”

“One of the amazing things about your girlfriend also being your best friend is that you can usually tell when something's wrong. And judging by the way you two were glaring at each other when we walked in it wasn't too hard to put things together and figure out what was happening. So what did she do…do I need to have a word with her…”

Hermione shook her head and said.

“What she did doesn't bear repeating and saying anything to her about it would give her the false impression that she and her pettiness dictate what we say, think and feel. And I'll not give her that satisfaction.”

That said Hermione stepped out of Harry's embrace and with a sweep of her arm set the kitchen back in its proper order. She then turned and weaving her fingers through Harry's said.

“First seeker to get the snitch gets a kiss from me.”

Smiling broadly Harry reached into his pocket and pulling out the snitch said.

“I'll take my kiss now thanks.”

Hermione grinned as Harry lowered his head and caught her lips in kiss that left her breathless.

0x01 graphic

Harry stood by the door with Ron waiting patiently for Hermione and Luna to finish saying the last of their goodbyes before they all headed home. Hermione was at the moment being hugged by Molly who was also handing her a rather large hamper of leftovers from the evening's festivities. Harry noticed that the hamper was the same size Molly tended to give to the married members of the Weasley clan…Molly and her hints. Ron followed Harry's gaze to where his mother stood conversing with his best friend and said.

“Looks like Mum's still waging her campaign to get you properly married off.”

Harry briefly lifted his gaze from Molly and Hermione and directed it towards Ron and mumbled an indistinct reply. Ron allowed his eyes to roam the room and they settled on his sister. Ginny was talking over something with Fred and George but her eyes kept wandering back and forth between Harry and Hermione. Ron redirected his gaze back to Harry and asked.

“Everything alright with you three?”

Harry looked up to see what Ron was talking about. Ron nodded his head slightly in Ginny's direction and continued.

“Things have seemed a bit tense since we went out to play Quidditch. Hermione and Ginny seem a bit…ummm…I dunno…narked with each other.”

Harry shrugged.

“Something happened but Hermione won't say what…says it doesn't matter and to leave it be. I reckon Ginny's still angry over Hermione and I being together.”

Ron nodded then asked.

“And how are things with you two?”

Harry smiled.

“Good. Really good.”

Ron raised an eyebrow and asked a second question.

“What exactly does that mean?”

Harry paused for a second before answering.

“It means that we're good…that we're happy…that I'm happy…things are good…really good.”

Before Ron had a chance to respond to Harry's declaration Luna and Hermione joined the two. Handing him the hamper of food and linking her arm through his Hermione looked up at Harry and posed a one-word question.

“Ready?”

Harry smiled and nodded in reply. Harry and Hermione then turned and said their goodnights to Ron and Luna and the rest of the Weasleys still at the Burrow. Ron watched as they stepped out the door arm in arm and walked to the apparition point. Once there Harry pulled Hermione close to his side and they disapparated with a pop. Ron stood watching the spot where his two best friends had been for some time. Curious as to what had her husband so preoccupied Luna gently squeezed Ron's forearm and inquired as to what he was mulling over.

“Ronald Whackspurt got you?”

Ron shook his head.

“No just thinking over something Harry just said.”

Luna patted his arm as she went into a discourse on Whackspurts and their dangers. Ron was only partially listening. He was still rather gobsmacked over the fact that he'd just heard his best mate of fifteen years say he was happy!


-->

4. Symptoms, Symbols, Envy and Answers


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 3: Symptoms, Symbols, Envy and Answers

Hermione sat in her office staring into the multi-colored inkwells sitting on her desk surrounded by translation and Ancient Runes texts. A frustrated sigh escaped her lips as she stared down at the blank parchment before her. Glancing at the clock sitting to her right Hermione noticed that it was nearly noon. Another perturbed sigh floated up from her throat. She had been sitting at her desk for nearly five hours and she was still no nearer to getting anything done than she had been before. Propping her hands up on the desk Hermione closed her eyes and steadily massaged her temples. She had to get herself to settle down and focus and perhaps get down to the apothecary in the basement of the Ministry and pick up a headache potion to quell the throbbing in her head.

For the past few weeks Hermione had been a bit off color. She'd been tired and listless for about two weeks then she had started having headaches and getting a bit short with people for no apparent reason. Harry, who'd become unnervingly observant over the years, had picked on the fact that something was wrong and had been after her for days to see a healer. Hermione had waved off his concern chalking her recent lethargy and short temper up to stress. Hermione shook her head to clear it of her wandering thoughts and tried to focus on the task at hand. Mr. Moore needed this translation done by the end of the week and as she was the department authority on such matters it was her responsibility to get it done. She snatched up her quill, stared at the text in front of her and began translating.

Hermione had been working progressively for about half an hour. She was so absorbed in her progress with her work that she didn't hear the knock on her door or the soft creaking of the hinges as it opened. Hermione was so involved in her work that she did not notice the tall, broad shouldered and barrel-chested man with the sandy brown hair and bright blue eyes who entered the room and closed the door until he spoke.

“Well I see some things never change.”

At the sound of the deep voice meeting her ears, Hermione's head snapped up and a smile graced her face as she said.

“Patrick, what in the name of Merlin are you doing here?”

The tall solidly built wizard smiled as he replied.

“Why I'm here to see you of course.”

Hermione's smile widened as she pushed her chair away from her desk and quickly rounded it to hug the man standing before her. Hermione wrapped her arms around Patrick and hugged him tightly before stepping back. Patrick returned the squeeze and kissed her cheek before letting her go. Eyeing Hermione up and down Patrick took in the sparkle of Hermione's dark brown eyes and the glow that suffused her skin and said.

“You're even more beautiful than I remember.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Always the flatterer Mr. Belby always the flatterer.”

Patrick shrugged and smiled. Hermione pointed towards the couch and Patrick took a seat. Once she was settled beside him she asked.

“So what brings you by?”

Patrick replied lightly.

“The Australian Ministry just drafted a new proposal that they'd like adopted by the Wizarding Federation. Each ambassador was asked to present the proposal to his or her own Ministry for consideration. Felton had some other duties to attend to so he handed off the job to me.”

“Sounds like Ambassador Felton regards you highly to trust you with such an important job. Things must be going well.”

“I wouldn't say Felton regards anyone highly. For all intents and purposes I'm just a glorified owl but the pay is good and Australia is beautiful…especially those Australian birds.”

Hermione laughed.

“Patrick you always were a cheeky sod.”

Patrick ignored Hermione's characterization of him smiled and said.

“As I've got some time to kill before my meeting with Minster Stanley I thought I'd pop in and see if you could be pried away from your desk and enticed to have lunch with an old friend.”

Hermione smiled as she answered.

“I'd love too.”

0x01 graphic

Harry sat behind his desk quill in hand, hunched over a journal scribbling notes from the three sets of case files spread out before him. Since his return from Transylvania things had been remarkably quiet. In the three weeks since the Horntails had been home the most they had been called upon to do was a bit of surveillance in Aylesbury, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and Uppingham. Harry was sure that Melbourne had something to do with the present inactivity of his team. He knew that Melbourne was purposely trying to annoy him but Harry was refusing to let Melbourne see he was getting to him. Harry made a point of saying how much he was enjoying his well-earned time off anytime Melbourne was within earshot. He also gave the aurors under his command additional time off in two and three-day clusters depending on what mindless activity they were assigned. When the team wasn't out doing field work Harry hand them in combat training or helping out the other auror units so as not to lose their edge.

To keep himself busy Harry was reviewing the case files for the missions he and the Horntails had done in Transylvania, Romania and Yugoslavia. He was checking for similarities and patterns in the findings, looking for a connection he may have missed before. He also planned to cross-reference some of the older cases he'd worked on to see if he could find any parallels there as well. Harry was making a notation in his journal when he glanced down at the pictures taken at all three scenes. He noticed a series of symbols that had been magically etched into the walls at all three sights. Harry rummaged through his desk drawers and pulled out the diary he nicked in Romania, the one that he and Hermione had been trying to decipher for ages. Flipping through its pages he noted that the symbols etched into the walls were very much like the symbols in the diary. Harry focused his eyes on the pictures of the three different sights and stared at them intently. There were three rows of symbols in each picture. The first two rows matched the symbols in the diary perfectly and were the same in each picture. However the third row was slightly different in each picture except for the last five symbols, which were all the same. Harry snatched up his journal and located the pages that held Hermione's translations. He was able to find all the symbols with the exception of the five from the pictures. Quickly Harry shoved the pieces of parchment back into their case folders; grabbing the diary, the files and his journal Harry bolted out of his office.

0x01 graphic

“Hermione I think I've sussed out the answer to your missing translations!”

Harry burst into Hermione's office face lit up in exhilaration over what he'd just discovered while looking over the case files. Harry was so excited about his find that it took him a moment to realize that the brown haired witch pulling a book from the shelf was not Hermione at all but her assistant. Daphne focused her gaze on the open doorway and smiling brightly said.

“Oh hello Mr. Potter… I'm afraid Ms. Granger isn't here at the moment.”

Harry ran a hand through his tousled hair.

“Hi Daphne. Sorry to barge in like that but I was hoping to catch Hermione need to discuss a case I'm working on with her. You wouldn't happen to know where she went or when she'll be back would you?”

Daphne nodded.

“She went to lunch. I think she said they were going to the Leaky Cauldron.”

Harry opened his mouth to thank Daphne when he realized she had said they curious Harry inquired.

“You said they…it isn't work related is it. I'd hate to interrupt if she's in the middle of something important.”

Daphne shook her head.

“No need to worry its nothing like that, just lunch with an old friend of hers from Australia.”

As soon as Daphne said the word Australia a frown crossed Harry's face and took up residence. The image of a tall, burly blue eyed wizard with an insipidly annoying grin plastered across his face rose to the surface of Harry's mind. In as off handed a voice as he could manage Harry asked.

“This friend of Hermione's…was he a tall, burly kind of fellow, light brown hair, blue eyes?”

Daphne nodded.

“Yes that's describes him perfectly. Said his name was Patrick I believe.”

Harry nodded then turned to leave. Daphne called after him.

“I'll let Ms. Granger know you stopped by.”

Harry didn't answer as he made his way out of the door. His mind was consumed with thoughts of Patrick Belby, Hermione's ex-boyfriend. Harry wondered what Belby was doing in London and why he was having lunch with Hermione. Patrick Belby was the older brother of Marcus Belby. Belby and Hermione had met several years earlier in the Ministry's archives while both were conducting research. Apparently Patrick had been looking in the wrong section for the information he needed. Hermione who had always been a wonder at finding any and everything sorted him out and pointed him in the right direction. Somewhere during the course of that meeting Patrick Belby had become so captivated by Hermione that he asked her out right then and there. What made her say yes to the git Harry had never been able to figure out but she had indeed said yes. The date much to Harry's vexation had gone quite well. The two shortly thereafter became an item. Neither Harry nor Ron ever liked Patrick; they found him annoying and not worthy of their Hermione. Yet despite their objections she had dated the dolt for nearly two years before Merlin saved them from having to hex the bugger to death by having him accept a position as one of Ambassador Felton's assistants and move to Australia.

As far as Harry knew Hermione hadn't spoken to Patrick Belby since he'd moved. So why in the name of Morganna had he suddenly shown up and taken Hermione to lunch? Without giving any thought to what he was doing Harry stuffed the files, the diary and his journal into his robe pocket as he hoped into the lift. Once the lift clanged and jangled its way up to the ground floor Harry exited and headed to the apparition departure point and apparated to the Leaky Cauldron.

As Harry strode through the doors of the Leaky Cauldron his eyes immediately settled on Hermione. She and Belby were sitting at a table towards the back of the room laughing and chatting. Harry strode purposefully towards then ignoring the greetings called out to him by the various Ministry staff scattered about the room that regularly lunched at the Leaky Cauldron. Coming to a halt at the table Hermione was sharing with Patrick Harry spoke in a rather quiet tone of voice.

“Hello Hermione.”

Hermione looked up a pleasantly startled expression on her face.

“Harry I didn't expect to see you here.”

Before Harry could vocalize a reply Patrick Belby inserted himself into the conversation.

“Well if it isn't Harry Potter himself, how goes the dark wizard hunting?”

Harry's reply was an inclination of his head and a terse voicing of the wizard speaking to him last name.

“Belby.”

Hermione immediately caught on to the fact that something was wrong. She laid her hand on Harry's arm to get his attention. Once his gaze met hers she asked.

“Is something wrong?”

“No nothing's wrong…but I need a word with you…in private.”

Hermione nodded and after turning to Patrick and excusing herself from the table she and Harry walked over to the far end of the bar where no one was sitting. Harry waved Tom off as he began to make his way over to them. Once he was certain no one was within audible range Harry said.

“I just stumbled onto something that I think you should take a look at but seeing as how you are otherwise engaged I suppose it will have to wait.”

Hermione's left eyebrow rose markedly as she asked.

“Is this about that translation I've been working on for you?”

Harry nodded.

“I think I may have found a pattern that could be of use to you…thought I should tell you straight away…but I don't want to interrupt anything.”

Harry's voice trailed off and Hermione had to bite down on her lip to keep the laughter at bay as she realized that Harry was jealous over the fact that she was having lunch with Patrick. Hermione looked at Harry and said as earnestly as she knew how.

“You haven't interrupted a thing. If you give me a moment I'll say my goodbyes to Patrick and then I'll take a look at what you found.”

That said Hermione turned and walked back to the table she and Patrick had been sitting at. Patrick rose to his feet and with a grin asked.

“You have to go?”

Hermione hugged Patrick and placed a kiss on his cheek.

“It's been lovely seeing you again Patrick we must do this again soon.”

Patrick nodded in agreement as returned the hug and kiss while Harry watched scowling at him from the bar. Stepping back and looking into her eyes Patrick asked.

“Should I be worried about your world-famous, evil-thwarting boyfriend hexing me?”

Hermione laughed as she answered.

“Don't worry the lion of Gryffindor is only marking his territory at the moment. He'll only resort to fangs and claws if you persist in infiltrating on said territory.”

Patrick laughed.

“Well you can tell the king over there that this raven knows when to surrender. And you can also tell him that I think he's a very lucky man.”

Hermione smiled.

“I'll do that.”

Patrick gave Hermione's hand a squeeze and smiled before he turned and headed out the door. Hermione turned and walked back to where Harry was sitting at the bar and taking the seat beside him said.

“You can stop scowling now.”

Harry's response was a question.

“What's he doing in London?”

Hermione called out to Tom and ordered two cups of tea and a sandwich before replying.

“Patrick has an audience with Minister Stanley, he's filling in for Ambassador Felton.”

“And lunch…what was that all about?”

Hermione sipped her tea.

“Just catching up with an old friend.”

Harry added.

“Who also happens to be an ex-boyfriend.”

Hermione smiled.

“Ex is the operative word in that sentence Harry. Patrick and I have been over for ages. When we ended things we made decided to continue being friends. We owl each other from time to time and whenever one or the other of us is in the area of the other we have lunch or dinner and catch up on the other's news. But there is nothing more to it than that.”

Harry frowned and gnawed his bottom lip for a few moments before saying.

“I've made a right fool out of myself haven't I?”

Hermione grinned as she spoke.

“Yes you have made a bit of a fool of yourself. But there are moments, given the proper circumstances that even your making yourself look the part of a foolish prat can be forgiven.”

His hopefulness evident in his voice Harry asked.

“Is this one of those moments?”

Hermione's reply was one word.

“Depends.”

“On?”

Hermione paused a moment before answering.

“Whether or not you came here because I was having lunch with Patrick or because I was having lunch with a bloke who wasn't you.”

Harry sighed.

“Both. I wouldn't be pleased with you having lunch with any bloke who isn't your Dad or has red hair and bears the last name Weasley but it was doubly vexing considering that in this instance you used to date the git.”

Hermione pushed the sandwich she'd ordered towards Harry as she leaned forward and kissed him softly on the lips.

“You are very cute when you're jealous. Now then show me what you've sussed out.”

0x01 graphic

“THIS IS BLANTANT INSUBORDINATION AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!!!!”

Agamenous Melbourne was livid. His roaring voice could be heard all over level two of the Ministry of Magic. Harry stood to the right of the irate Melbourne staring straight ahead. His stiff posture and stoic expression did nothing to belie the fact that he was smiling on the inside. Harry was so pleased that he had managed to get one past the berk who called himself his superior he could barely contain himself but contain himself he did as now was not the time to let his emotions show.

Caiaphas Artaxerxes, the Chief Minister of Magical Law Enforcement sent a quelling look in Melbourne's direction as he looked up from the report he was reading and said.

“Agamenous calm yourself.”

Melbourne who was opening his mouth to say something else clamped his mouth shut and stared fuming at Harry. Chief Minister Artaxerxes finished reading the file and raised his eyes to Harry and said.

“Potter, please explain why you've done this.”

Harry cleared his throat and responded choosing his words carefully.

“Sir I know what I did was not exactly conventional but I felt that the situation warranted some sort of action. It was clear to me that more was at work in those cases than young wizards dabbling in the dark arts. But Deputy Minister Melbourne disagreed. He was adamant about his position. I believed that if I could show him more concrete proof that he'd amend his thinking.”

Harry paused and Melbourne cut in.

“So you stole pertinent evidence from the scene of an auror investigation and withheld it from any and all scrutiny!”

Harry remained silent. Melbourne turned to his superior and said.

“Do you see what I have to put up with Caiaphas? Impertinence and arrogance! I can't even be sure that this so called diary is real! FOR ALL WE KNOW HE MAY HAVE MANUFACTURED IT HIMSELF JUST TO FEED HIS INSUFFERABLY OVER-INFLATED EGO!!”

Melbourne's last sentence was spoken at a shrieking level. Harry turned to face Agamenous Melbourne, he had every intention of throttling the man but Caiaphas Artaxerxes rose from his seat and stopped them both cold.

“Agamenous you will control yourself! We have already had the diary authenticated.”

Melbourne clamped his mouth tightly shut once again. Artaxerxes continued.

“Potter, while I am impressed with your refusal to give up I is equally distressed by your methods. We have rules Harry and those rules should not be circumvented no matter what.”

Harry nodded and replied.

“With all due respect sir I understand your position and concerns over what I've done and the way I've done it. But I took an oath sir, an oath that required me to promise to protect the wizarding community from all harm and threats of danger. When I took matters into my own hands sir I was simply doing my best to honor my word, to honor my oath. I know from personal experience that sometimes there are more important things than rules…and I felt this was one of those times.”

Caiaphas Artaxerxes looked at the young man before him and nodded his head. He then picked up the file in front of him and handed it across the desk to Harry as he said.

“Assemble your team, and brief Shacklebolt's and Tonks' squads on the nature of the mission. Then see to your personal affairs, the lot of you leave for Greece first thing tomorrow morning.”

Harry nodded and exited the room. As he cleared the doorway he heard Artaxerxes tell Melbourne to close the door and have a seat, the smile he'd been hiding burst across his face triumphantly as he strolled down the hall to gather his troops.

0x01 graphic

“Hermione are you alright?”

Paige's voice sounded miles away not at all like she was standing just beside Hermione. Paige gently shook Hermione's shoulder as she queried her again.

“Hermione…are…you…alright?”

Hermione gulped air and swallowed as she nodded her head stiffly. Unconvinced Paige helped the younger witch to a seat and conjured a glass of water and pressed it towards Hermione's lips and admonished.

“Hermione just try to calm yourself. Take deep breathes and sip a little water, it'll help.”

Hermione nodded and followed Paige's advice after several minutes her world righted itself. She set the glass of water aside and exhaled slowly. Paige queried her once again.

“Better?”

Hermione nodded.

“Much better, thank you.”

Paige sat down beside Hermione and said.

“I take it that this wasn't planned then.”

Hermione shook her head no.

“The subject has never even come up outside of our agreeing not to engage in ummm…er…congress without the benefit of the proper charms.”

Paige chewed her lip then offered.

“Well the contraceptive charms have been known to fail before. Your concentration has to be perfect otherwise the spell may not be strong enough. And there have been cases where an exceptionally powerful wizard or witch has been able to overpower the charm. But most often its as simple as getting caught up in the moment and forgetting to perform it all together.”

Paige paused for a moment then asked.

“Have you and Harry had any lapses in the past month or so?”

Hermione was about to say no that she and Harry were always very careful when it came to that sort of thing. She was about to tell Paige that she always performed the charm herself before she and Harry got to lost in themselves to think properly and forget. She was about to tell Paige that something must be wrong and to get her wand back out and perform the test again but then she processed Paige's question, Have you and Harry had any lapses in the past month or so, and she remembered Harry's return from Transylvania. One minute they'd been talking and the next they were ripping each other's robes off. After Daphne's interruption Harry'd apparated them back to his flat and they'd pick up things right where they'd left off, neither one of them thinking to perform a bloody contraceptive charm. Hermione closed her eyes and nodded affirmatively to Paige's question.

Paige wrapped her arm around Hermione's shoulder and hugged her. Hermione accepted the offer of comfort and the two women sat in silence for several minutes before Hermione straightened herself and asked.

“So I'm about four or five weeks along you'd say.”

Paige nodded as Hermione continued speaking.

“That sounds about right.”

Hermione paused and took a deep breath before turning and speaking directly to Paige.

“Paige I hate to ask this of you but it'd mean a lot to me if you'd keep this to yourself until I've had the chance to speak to Harry and we decide what to do.”

Paige smiled and grasped Hermione's hand.

“Hermione you needn't worry nor ask me not to say anything, this was a professional consultation, as your healer any and all visits are kept strictly confidential.

Hermione returned Paige's smile with a weak one of her one and said.

“Thank you. I really appreciate all you've done.”

Hermione stood to her feet. Paige followed suit. As the two women embraced Paige said to Hermione.

“If you have any questions or if you just want to talk I'm here.”

Hermione smiled in earnest and nodded. The two women separated and said their final goodbyes. Hermione slipped out of Paige's office and calmly walked to the apparition point at the end of the hall. As she prepared to apparate she placed a hand to her abdomen as the truth of the matter slammed into her consciousness. She was pregnant. Correction…she and Harry were pregnant. With that thought revolving about her brain Hermione apparated home.

A/N: I've just found out that I have to go out of town on business for at least a week possibly longer. Obviously this will interrupt my writing schedule. I will attempt to do some writing while I am away and if we are lucky I'll even post a new chapter but in the event that I can't please bear with me until I can treat the story properly. I hope this chapter will be enough to hold you all until I can post again. As always thanks for reading and I look forward to reading all of your reviews.

~Searcy~


-->

5. Two Weeks


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 4: Two Weeks

It had been a week since Hermione had found out that she was pregnant. Seven long days of staring into space wondering how in the name of Merlin she had been so careless as to get herself into the mess she was presently in. One hundred and sixty-eight hours of wondering how she was going to manage being someone's Mum. Ten thousand eighty minutes of floundering between amazed wonder and horrifying terror at the fact that a tiny life was growing inside her with each breath that she took. Six hundred four thousand eight hundred seconds of fretting over how she was going to tell Harry that he was going to be a father. As things presently stood Harry had no idea about Hermione's pregnancy.

She'd had every intention of telling Harry about her visit to St. Mungos and the shocking results of the diagnosis. In fact once she had collected her thoughts and settled on what she thought was the best course of action she had promptly apparated over to Harry's flat to deliver the news. However, upon arriving she found Harry tossing clothes into his auror's pack randomly. As he looked up from his task and saw her standing there Harry wasted no time in telling Hermione all about the meeting he'd had with his superiors about the report he'd submitted concerning the diary they'd been trying to work out for the past eight months. Harry told her how Chief Minister Artaxerxes had seen the merit in his way of thinking and was sending Harry's squadron along with Tonks' and Kingsley's squads to Greece to investigate what appeared to be the same sort of dark activity as had been seen in Transylvania, Romania and Yugoslavia.

Hermione and Harry had been able to figure out the meaning of all the symbols but the final five that had turned up in all the pictures. And while she'd had no luck thus far in figuring what those symbols meant it was clear that they were very dark magic. The twosome had come to the conclusion that whomever was dabbling with magic this sinister was clearly a serious threat. Harry was certain that it was connected to some mental wizard with delusions of becoming the next Voldemort, possibly one of his former flunkies who'd managed to escape capture. Hermione was unsure who was behind the matter but whoever it was, was not the sort that one needed to be preoccupied when dealing with. It was this fact that made her keep her mouth shut and say nothing about her pregnancy. The last thing she wanted was to cause Harry to lose his focus when he was off on a mission. Hermione's thoughts drifted to Harry and what she would do if something happened to him just now. At the thought Hermione lost her focus and sliced through her finger with the knife she was using to peel sprouts for her mother. Jerking her hand back Hermione swore under her breath as she sucked at the blood oozing from the cut on her finger.

At the sound of her daughter using profanity in her presence Helen Granger looked towards Hermione. Upon seeing her with her finger in her mouth Helen snatched up one of the towels on the rack above the sink and rushed over to assist her only child.

“Hermione are you alright? Are you hurt badly?”

Helen pulled Hermione's index finger from her mouth and inspected the cut. Wrapping the towel around Hermione's profusely bleeding hand she exclaimed.

“Good heavens Hermione…hold still while I get something to mop you up!”

As her mother bustled around the kitchen trying to fit the emergency aid kit she always kept handy Hermione called out over her shoulder.

“No need to fret Mum…I'll take care of it myself.”

That said Hermione pulled out her wand and muttered a quick healing spell over her cut hand. Helen turned around in time to see the cut closing and healing itself instantly. Closing the cupboard she'd been rummaging through Helen Granger turned to face her daughter and asked her.

“Hermione is everything alright?”

Helen Granger crossed her arms and tapped her foot on the floor as she stared at her daughter and waited for an answer to her question. Hermione hastily looked up and nodded her head as she mumbled.

“Yes Mum I'm fine it was just a little nick, nothing to worry about.”

Hermione managed to give her mother a smile before turning her attention back to the mess she'd made of the sprouts she was peeling. Helen shook her head. She hadn't been asking Hermione about her cut hand. She had actually been referring to her strange behavior of late. Over the course of the last few weeks Helen had noticed that Hermione often seemed preoccupied and unfocused. She also noted that Hermione had become uncharacteristically maladroit. She was constantly dropping things and injuring herself. And though Hermione wasn't the most graceful thing on two legs she was no klutz either. Even her temper was out of sorts. Lately the simplest statement could send her off into a towering temper. Deciding that her husband stood a better chance of getting through to their daughter Helen exited the kitchen and made her way into the lounge where Robert Granger was watching a football match. Stopping at the side of the couch she lowered her voice as she spoke to her husband.

“Robert I want you to have a talk with Hermione.”

Robert Granger looked up from the television at his wife and raising an eyebrow responded by saying.

“What exactly do you want me to talk to her about?”

Helen quickly sat down beside her husband and hurriedly relayed the incident that had just taken place in the kitchen. She went on to add the other things she'd noticed about Hermione that had her concerned. As she spoke Robert had to agree that he too had noticed the rather erratic behavior of his daughter. When she come over that morning she had popped into the foyer and knocked over the coat rack. And while that in itself was not really a big deal the fact that she'd seemed not to notice was not typical of his methodical Hermione. Reaching over and patting his wife's clasped hands he reassured her.

“Not to worry dear I'll have a word with her and get to the bottom of things straight away.”

Robert Granger grabbed the remote and snapped off the telly before calling Hermione into the room.

“Poppet, would you come here please.”

Robert and Helen waited patiently as they heard the scraping of a chair against the floor and the sound of foot falls coming down the hallway. Hermione knew the moment she stepped into the room that something was amiss. Her parents were seated on the couch and they'd left a space between them. Whenever her Mum and Dad wanted to speak with her about something they assumed this position on the couch. Swallowing and pasting what she hoped was a convincing smile on her face she said.

“Yes Daddy.”

Robert Granger returned his daughter's smile and patted the empty space between himself and his wife. Hermione crossed the room and dropped into the empty space between her parents. Her father took her hand in his and giving it a reassuring squeeze said.

“Poppet, your Mum and I have been talking and we are a bit worried about you. You have not seemed quite like yourself lately. And we just wanted to know if everything was alright.”

Hermione feigned ignorance and replied in what she prayed sounded like a natural voice.

“Everything's fine.”

Helen Granger cut in immediately.

“Hermione Jane Granger everything is most certainly not fine. Scarcely ten minutes ago you nearly lobbed off your own finger and you very nearly knocked yourself senseless when you arrived earlier and banged into the coat rack. Not to mention all the mindless staring you've been up to lately and your complete inability to focus. Something is obviously wrong and I'd like to know what it is right now.”

Helen's tone brooked no arguments; it was the same matter-of-fact, no-nonsense tone Hermione was known to use when she wanted immediate answers. Hermione had never lied to her parents directly and she didn't intend to start at this late date. But she couldn't bring herself to tell them about her current predicament, at least not before she spoke to Harry. Sighing heavily Hermione opened her mouth and spoke in a shaky voice.

“Honestly Mum and Dad I am really fine. I've just had a lot on my mind lately so I suppose I been acting a touch wonky.”

Robert and Helen Granger studied their daughter carefully as they waited for her to tell them more about what was occupying so much of her thought process. Sensing that she had them nearly convinced Hermione rambled on.

“Things have just been so busy at work. It seems that I'm the only person in the department actually working half the time. And while Daphne is enthusiastic and a hard worker she is just learning. Then there's this diary I've been working on for Harry…I just about have it all sussed out except the last part and Harry's off working on this bloody case and I'm certain the part that's missing is important and he'll need to know what it means to suss out what's happening in Greece and…”

Robert Granger squeezed his daughter's hand as he interjected.

“So that's what has you all turned around…you're worrying over Harry!”

Hermione looked up at her father slightly wide-eyed and blurted out.

“What?!”

Robert smiled at his daughter as he repeated himself.

“You've worked yourself up into a state over Harry being away on this mission.”

Hermione responded without giving her answer much thought.

“Of course I worry over Harry when he's away…I always have but I'm not…”

Robert cut across his daughter's words and in his most reassuring voice said.

“I understand that Harry's job is dangerous and I know that you have always been there to help and guide him through these trials. And I can imagine that it must be difficult with him being away so much and you not being able to help him but you mustn't worry yourself so much. I'm positive that Harry is just fine, from what you've always said he is more than capable of taking care of himself and I don't doubt that he'll be home any day now none the worse for wear. Now then I want you to promise me that you'll try not to worry so.”

Hermione pulled her bottom lip in between her teeth and chewed it briefly before she nodded her head and gave her word that she'd try not to worry needlessly over Harry anymore. Satisfied that he'd gotten to the heart of things Robert Granger kissed his daughter on the cheek and grabbing the remote flipped the television back on. Hermione excused herself and went back into the kitchen. She'd tossed the sprout peelings into the rubbish bin and wiped off the kitchen table before her mother appeared in the doorway.

“There's more to your strange behavior than your worrying over Harry isn't there?”

At the sound of her mother's questioning voice Hermione looked up from her cleaning of the kitchen and blinked owlishly as she tried to think of a suitable way to avoid to her mum's query. After several seconds that felt like years Hermione gave up trying to evade the question, she flumped down into the chair she'd been standing beside and replied with a solemn “Yes”.

Helen Granger stepped completely into the room and took the seat opposite her daughter. She reached across the table and clasped her only child's hand in her own and asked.

“Did you and Harry have a row before he left?”

Hermione shook her head.

“No Mum its nothing as bad as that. I just…I've been doing a lot of thinking about things lately and I'm just not sure what's next.”

Helen folded her lips together and nodded.

“I see…your biological clock has finally started to tick loud enough to catch your attention and you've begun considering how you want to spend the rest of your life and Harry's place in it.”

Hermione had to stop herself from grabbing her stomach and informing her mother that her biological clock wasn't ticking; that it had in fact struck the hour letting her know that her hour of reckoning was at hand. Instead Hermione kept her expression passive and listened as her mother spoke.

“Its natural for you to start having those thoughts about how you want to spend the rest of your life. You've established yourself in your career and unlike most girls your age you've already faced down your own mortality. All of that Dark Lord business you went through at Hogwarts taught you that life is far too short to waste.”

Helen paused and watched as Hermione nodded her head in agreement to her mother's last statement.

“Why don't you take this time while Harry's away to suss out what you want to do. Once you figure that out sit down with him, share your thoughts and find out what he wants for the future. Then when you've both expressed yourselves fully you'll know exactly where to take things.”

As she took in her mother's suggestions and realized the soundness of the idea Hermione felt as though a great load had been lifted off her shoulders. Her mum was absolutely right. She needed to decide what she wanted. Hermione smiled the first true smile to grace her face in over a week as she reached across the table and hugged her mother as she said.

“Thanks Mum, you always know exactly what I need.”

Helen smiled as she kissed her daughter's cheek and answered back by saying.

“That's what mother's are for dear, that's what mother's are for.”

0x01 graphic

It had been two weeks since Hermione had found out that she was pregnant. Fourteen endless days of wondering why in the name of Merlin this had happened to her at this particular moment in her life. Three hundred thirty six hours of examining how she would manage her career as an unspeakable along with motherhood. Twenty thousand one hundred sixty minutes of imagining her parent's reactions to the news that they were about to be grandparents. One million two hundred nine thousand six hundred seconds of worrying over Harry's reaction to the news that he was about to become a father. Two weeks after finding out she was pregnant Hermione very nearly had as many questions as she'd had when she first received the news. The only thing she knew for certain was that the idea that she was indeed going to be a mother had grown on her over the past two weeks and there was not much question in here mind as to what she was going to do so much as how she was going to do it.

As she and Paige sat at a back booth in the Leaky Cauldron enjoying a lunch of fish and chips Hermione had to admit that she felt much better now that she had reached a decision concerning her own thoughts on the subject. Now that she'd made up her own mind she was sure she could handle whatever everyone else thought. Extricating herself from her own thoughts Hermione focused her attention on Paige who was staring at her appraisingly and asked.

“What…do I have food on my face?”

Paige shook her head.

“No you haven't got food on your face. I was just wondering how you're really doing. The last time we spoke you were a bit out of sorts.”

Paige briefly halted her discourse and Hermione's thoughts drifted to the visit she'd received from Paige three days after she had found out about her pregnancy. Paige had come by her flat after work to check on her and to give her the names of several healers who specialized in treating expectant witches. Hermione was in a state over Harry's sudden departure; the news that Paige could not treat her had distressed her so much that she had gone into another panic attack. Hermione was pulled from her ruminations by the sound of Paige's voice.

“I was really worried about how you were handling things after the last visit we had.”

Hermione shook her head and with a hint of a chuckle in her voice said.

“Yes I imagine that you were indeed worried considering the way I fell apart. You must have thought me dreadfully pathetic…not at all up to my normal standard.”

Paige smiled.

“You took it a damn sight better than I would have but from all I'd heard it seemed largely out of character for you. So I was more than a little shocked to hear that you'd made an appointment to see Healer O'Halleran.”

Hermione nodded.

“Well I had a chance to do a good bit of thinking after our last talk and I realized that I couldn't continue on acting like a silly twit. I had decisions to make and once I made them I knew I had to see a healer straight away. And since I couldn't have you as my healer I had to go with the next best option.”

“If I dealt specifically with expectant witches I would have gladly taken you on but as I don't I thought you deserved someone trained especially in the area. Megan is really wonderful at her job and I'm sure you'll get the best treatment possible.”

Hermione sipped her pumpkin juice then replied.

“She has been brilliant so far…very through, amazingly understanding and exceedingly discreet. The fact that she has offices outside of St. Mungos is a definite plus.”

Paige nodded.

“Obviously you've decided to have the baby then.”

“Yes.”

“The last time we spoke you weren't sure what you were going to do…what helped you make up your mind?”

Paige asked her question then popped a chip into her mouth and chewed slowly as she awaited an answer. Hermione popped a piece of cod into her mouth and talking around it answered back with.

“Oddly enough it was a conversation with my Mum.”

Paige looked stunned.

“You told your mum you were pregnant…I thought you wanted to tell Harry first.”

Hermione waved her hands in front of herself and hastily replied.

“I'd hardly be sitting here right now if I'd told my Mum I was pregnant. She and my Dad would have hauled me off to Greece to find Harry and make an honest woman out of me.”

The two women shared a laugh at the image of Hermione's very muggle parents forcing the most powerful wizard in Great Britain to marry their daughter. After the moment passed Paige asked.

“So how exactly did your mother help you if you didn't exactly tell her what was going on?”

“Believe it or not she simply gave me some motherly advice. She'd noticed my odd behavior and she and my Dad sat me down to find out what was wrong. Mum figured out somehow that I was struggling with my future with Harry. She told me that I should figure out what I wanted and then see what Harry wanted and go from there.”

Paige interjected.

“And you realized that you wanted to have the baby.”

Hermione nodded.

“Once I thought about it I realized that I really do want to have this baby. I'm not sure what kind of mother I'll be but…”

Paige cut in again.

“I think you're going to make a smashing mother.”

Hermione smiled her thanks for Paige's encouraging words. Paige posed another question.

“Have you given any thought to how Harry will react?”

Hermione chuckled dryly.

“Honestly I haven't thought about much else…”

Hermione paused for a moment and interpreting the look on Paige's face said.

“I've run through every possible scenario in my mind and I still can't be sure how Harry will react to the news.”

Hermione nearly feel off her seat as she waited for Paige to respond and instead of hearing Paige's voice Harry's baritone caressed her ears as he asked.

“And exactly what news would I be reacting to?

A/N: I'm back!! I hope this chapter is what you guys were waiting for. Its shorter than I anticipated but I think it covers things rather well. Either good or bad I know you guys will let me know what you think so until next chapter….Happy Reading!!!


-->

6. Shocked, Surprised and Scared


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 5: Shocked, Surprised and Scared

Hermione swiveled around in her chair and looked up into the familiar emerald green depths of Harry's eyes. She was at a complete and total loss for words. The last person she had expected to see in that moment was Harry and yet there he was, standing just behind her looking as calm as you please asking her what news she had to tell him. Hermione's mind hummed along at a million thoughts per second yet none of them seemed to stick in place long enough to form a coherent thought. As Hermione sat with her mouth slightly open staring at Harry with wide-eyed shock Harry eyed her inquiringly as he waited for an answer to his question. After several more seconds of silence Harry spoke again.

“Hermione are you alright?”

The sound of Harry's voice snapped Hermione out of her trance and she immediately regained the ability to speak.

“Yes I'm fine just a bit stunned to see you is all. I hadn't expected you back so soon. You were gone for ages last time and I just thought this time would be the same.”

Harry rubbed his neck as he replied.

“Yes, well turns out that Greece was a bust. We got some information but not much else. I…”

Harry paused as he looked over at Paige, as she wasn't Ministry staff or otherwise involved in the case it would be unwise for Harry to say anything further so Harry redirected his words to a more neutral topic.

“I figured we'd gotten everything we could and thought it best to get back here and regroup.”

Hermione nodded absently and murmured something unintelligible. Harry picked up his earlier question.

“So what news do you have to tell me?”

Hermione's head shot up as she asked.

“News what news are you talking about?”

“Just now when I walked up you were saying to Paige that you couldn't be sure how I would react to the news…what news would that be?”

Hermione swallowed unsure of what to say. Mercifully Paige interceded.

“Oh that, it was just a hypothetical wedding question.”

Harry turned his gaze to Paige. While his attention was diverted Hermione shot Paige a grateful look for her quick thinking. Paige smiled as she elaborated.

“You see I'm not so sure that Charlie will like the color scheme I've chosen for the wedding and I was asking Hermione, hypothetically of course, how she thought you would react to those particular colors.”

As Harry listened to Paige's explanation he picked up a piece of fish from Hermione's bag and shoveled it into his mouth. He mumbled a muffled “Oh” around the mouthful of food as he collected a few of the chips left in the bag and shoved them into his mouth as well. He chewed heartily for a moment then swallowed and asked around the contents of his partially stuffed mouth.

“What are the colors?”

Paige faltered as she struggled to come up with a set of colors to say. It was Hermione who came to her rescue this time. As Harry wolfed down a second piece of fish Hermione supplied two random colors.

“The colors are…peach and green.”

Both Harry and Paige looked at Hermione as if she gone round the twist, Luckily Harry was no longer looking at Paige so he didn't see the appalled look swathing her face. Hermione quickly tidied up her answer.

“Of course she doesn't mean peach and green…she means either one or the other to go along with the white naturally. Paige is thinking more along the lines of pastels like a pale peach or a nice mint green.”

Paige's expression softened, she obviously found the amended explanation to her liking. Harry shrugged as he scooped up another handful of chips and tossing them into his mouth turned to Paige and said.

“I don't know much about color schemes and all that but I imagine that if it were me I'd pretty much go along with whatever Hermione wanted so long as it made her happy. I expect Charlie's of the same mind…if its what you want he'll agree to it no problem. Though I think if you're really going to go with one of those colors you should opt for black instead of white, black will go down much easier than white if your other color is going to be pale peach or mint green.”

As he finished his response Harry looked down and took notice of the fact that he'd eaten nearly all of what was left of Hermione's lunch. Quickly he excused himself and headed to the bar to place a food order. Once he was out of earshot Hermione leaned towards Paige and said.

“Paige thank you so much, I was completely flummoxed when I turned around and saw Harry standing there!”

Paige patted Hermione's hand.

“It was a bit shocking his turning up like that…I have never known anyone not to make a sound when they apparate!”

Hermione replied.

“Speed and stealth.”

Paige raised an eyebrow and asked.

“What about speed and stealth?”

Hermione glanced over her shoulder at Harry placing his order as she answered.

“Those are the two skills Harry touts as his most useful as an auror.”

Turning back to Paige she continued.

“He's always saying how many times his being fast and quiet has saved his arse.”

Paige smiled brightly as she said.

“Well its good to know that Harry has those skills in his stock as I'm sure they'll come in handy when it comes to fetching bottles, changing nappies and avoiding waking the little darling in the middle of the afternoon kip.”

Hermione looked at Paige questioningly and whispered.

“You really think he'll be happy about the baby?”

Paige chuckled as she replied.

“Hermione where you listening to the man just now? He said and I quote, I don't know much about color schemes and all that but I imagine that if it were me I'd pretty much go along with whatever Hermione wanted so long as it made her happy…its obvious he's mad about you, of course he'll be happy about the baby.”

Hermione shook her head clearly unconvinced.

“Paige he was answering a hypothetical question…I doubt his response is an indication of whether or not he wants to start a family with me. You're reading far too much into that one statement.”

Paige shrugged as she stood up and swung her bag onto her shoulder.

“Perhaps I am reading too much into what he said…then again maybe you're not reading enough into what he said.”

Hermione quirked an eyebrow and Paige added.

“Its been my experience that blokes never respond to hypothetical marriage-type questions using a specific woman's name unless they can envision themselves with said woman.”

That said Paige bent down and embraced Hermione in a quick goodbye hug. As she was pulling away she whispered in her ear.

“Tell him.”

That said she stood to her full height and sauntered out the door waving goodbye to Harry as he headed back to the table carrying a tray loaded with two piping hot orders of fish and chips, a bowl of mushy peas, a saveloy and two tankards of shandy. As Harry sidled up to the table the chair Paige had been sitting in moved from the opposing side of the table and scooted next to Hermione's. Harry dropped down into the seat and placed a fresh order of fish and chips in front of Hermione along with one of the tankards of shandy. Popping a few chips into his mouth Harry asked.

“Where'd Paige get off to?”

Hermione doused her food with malt vinegar and set the tankard of shandy aside, lager was off limits for the next seven and a quarter months. Picking up a piece of fish and biting it she dutifully chewed and swallowed before answering Harry's question.

“She's headed home I expect. She's been working double shifts this past week…eating all her meals at the hospital…today's her first day off in ages and I thought she was overdue for a change of scenery.”

Harry nodded.

“I know the feeling.”

At the dejected sound of Harry's voice Hermione devoted her attention to him fully for the first time since his unexpected arrival. His eyes were tired and red-rimmed, a few days worth of stubble cover his jaw and chin, his jumper and jeans hung loosely on his wiry frame and his normally wild mop of hair hung rather docilely about his head; only a few tufts here and there stuck out at odd angles. Hermione noticed that Harry had completed devoured the fish and chips, saveloy and mushy peas he had ordered for himself. Without sparing a thought to the matter she shoved her own fish and chips in his direction as she said.

“Have you eaten at all since you've been away.”

Harry downed his tankard of shandy and started in on Hermione's food before answering.

“I've eaten but it was more like Dudley's diet rations than an actual proper meal…mostly tinned tomatoes and the like. I was doing a lot of surveillance so a properly cooked meal wasn't exactly an option.”

Hermione pursed her lips tightly as she surveyed Harry more carefully. He looked like hell and that was stating things kindly. There was an obvious air of weariness hanging about him and judging from the set of his jaw he was more than a little perturbed that things hadn't gone as he'd hoped. Her mind drifted back to Harry's arrival and his pronouncement that Greece had been a bust. Reaching out and placing her hand atop his Hermione asked.

“What exactly happened in Greece?”

Harry sighed as he finished off the last of Hermione's food and grabbing her untouched tankard of shandy downed half of it in one large gulp before replying in an irritated voice.

“Not one bloody thing. Seems our dark deviant has more than a few working brain cells which is more than I can say for that idiot Melbourne.”

Frowning, Hermione asked.

“What did Melbourne do?”

Harry snorted derisively and replied.

“Based off of your translations and ideas on what those symbols meant the plan was for us to place ourselves in a position to intercept whoever is behind all of these little showings. Or perhaps get some insight into how connected whoever is behind all this is….”

Harry paused and Hermione nodded her head to show that she was listening. Harry continued.

“While we're lying about in the muck and mire trying to suss out who's behind all of this rubbish who should turn up in Greece for an audience with the Greek Minister of Magic to see how his aurors were coming along!”

Hermione gasped.

“Harry not even Agamenous Melbourne would be so petty as to risk exposing an entire covert operation.”

Harry fumed.

“That's exactly what he did! Showed up in Greece…had his face splashed across every wizarding paper in the city! Needless to saw Melbourne's presence alerted our quarry to our presence so whoever they happen to be and what they are up to we're still in the dark about thanks to that git!! The man is fouler than troll dung and twice as stupid…I can't understand why Artaxerxes keeps him on!”

Harry snatched up the tankard near his hand and consumed the remainder of its contents. It was only after he finished off the last of the drink that he realized that he'd been drinking Hermione's shandy. Staring down at the empty tankard in his hand Harry spoke in an apologetic tone.

“I'm sorry love, I've been sitting here ranting and raving about my arse of a boss and I've not only eaten both your lunches I've drank your shandy as well…hang on I'll get you another one.”

As Harry made to get out of his seat Hermione laid a hand on his forearm to stop him and said.

“No need I'm not drinking.”

Harry lowered himself into his seat a confused expression marring his face. Hermione had never been a huge drinker but she was rather fond of shandy and drank them whenever she wanted something stronger than a butterbeer. The look only lasted for a moment before comprehension dawned and with a nod of his head he answered back.

“Ahh…I forgot…you never drink when you're working…”

Harry paused and looked down at his watch and noting the time said.

“Bloody hell…its nearly one…I reckon you've got to get back to work as well eh.”

Hermione shook her head.

“Actually I don't…I took the day off.”

Harry who had been digging around in his pockets for the required amount of gold to cover their meal looked up abruptly as he queried Hermione.

“You took the day off!?”

Hermione nodded as Harry raised an eyebrow and asked.

“What'd you take the day off for?”

Hermione steeled herself mentally as she responded.

“I had a healer's appointment…”

Hermione never got to complete her sentence as she found Harry perched on the edge of his chair, one hand firmly gripping her knee, the other gently caressing her cheek as his eyes traveled over her checking for obvious signs that something was amiss. The worry that was evident in his eyes was also clear in his voice as he spoke.

“A healer's appointment…you're still feeling off color…is that why you and Paige were having lunch…what's wrong…is it serious…”

Hermione reached up and grasped hold of the hand that Harry had laid across her cheek. Turning her head slightly she pressed a kiss to his palm.

“I'm perfectly fine Harry…”

Harry cut in.

“If you were perfectly fine you wouldn't have taken the whole day off work to see a healer!”

“Honestly Harry nothing's wrong it was just a follow up visit…”

For the third time Hermione's words were lost as Harry interrupted her.

“A follow up visit! When did you see a healer before!?”

Hermione sighed before letting go of Harry's hand. She turned sideways in her chair and catching up her bag stuck her hand inside. Hermione proceeded to count out the required amount of galleons and sickles needed to cover the meal and a decent enough tip. After tossing the coins on the table she stood to her feet. Grabbing Harry's hand she tugged him to his feet and made for the side door of the Leaky Cauldron that led to the opening into Diagon Alley. Harry followed her in silence as they made their way into the alleyway. Once there Harry encircled his arm about Hermione's waist and apparated them to his flat.

0x01 graphic

As the duo arrived in the lounge room of Harry's flat Hermione swayed on her feet. She would have toppled over had Harry not of been holding her about the waist so snugly. Healer O'Halleran had warned her during their consult earlier that day that for the next month or two she may find herself becoming unbalanced and disoriented when traveling by apparation. Until now Hermione hadn't had any incidents other than the mishap with the coat rack at her parents'. It was just her luck to get dizzy now with Harry already thinking she was on her deathbed. He was sure to think the worst. Hermione felt her body being lifted as Harry hoisted her into his arms and carried her towards the couch. She rested her head against his chest for the few moments it took for him to walk across the room and place her on the couch. She opened her eyes when she heard him mutter a spell. Looking up Hermione saw the glass of water Harry had conjured. Waving it away she pressed her palms down into the squashy cushions and scooted herself back against the arm as she said to Harry.

“I'm fine Harry I just had a momentary loss of balance.”

Harry snorted with an air of obvious incredulity as he set the glass of water down on the coffee table and stared at Hermione. For the first time since he'd arrived at the Leaky Cauldron and seen Hermione and Paige huddled together at the back table whispering conspiringly Harry noticed that Hermione looked remarkably different than she had before he'd left. Her face was fuller than he ever remembered it being before and when he'd held her he noticed that the curves of her body seemed more round and full as well. Generally she looked right healthy, glowing even, as if nothing at all were wrong. But she'd admitted to having gone to see a healer at least twice in the past two weeks. Closing his eyes briefly Harry prayed that Hermione's condition was as minor as she had earlier tried to insist. After preparing himself for the worst Harry opened his eyes and sat staring at Hermione for what felt like an eternity but was actually a minute or two. Unable to bear the silence any longer Harry spoke.

“Are you going to tell me what's wrong or not?”

Hermione raised her gaze to Harry's and replied in a small unsteady voice.

“Actually…there isn't anything wrong with me per se…”

Hermione's voice trailed off as she found herself struggling to find the words necessary to express herself, truly a first occurrence for her. Harry used the lull in the conversation to get in a few more words.

“Nothing is wrong with you per se…if nothing is wrong then why've you seen Paige twice in two weeks time?”

Shaking her head Hermione said.

“I've not seen Paige twice. I only went to see her the first time…today's appointment was with a specialist healer who only handles these types of issues.”

As soon as the words left her mouth Hermione knew they had been a mistake. Harry leapt up from the seat he'd taken on the couch at Hermione's side as he bellowed.

“A SPECIALIST HEALER…”

Quickly swing her feet off the couch and rising to her feet Hermione attempted to calm the situation.

“Harry its nothing dreadful I promise! A bit unexpected but nothing for you to worry over!”

Harry stared at Hermione in astonishment.

“ITS NOTHING DREDFUL…NOTHING FOR ME TO WORRY OVER…I GET BACK FROM A MISSION AND FIND OUT THAT YOU'VE BEEN ILL, SO ILL THAT YOU'VE BEEN TO SEE TWO SPERATE HEALERS ON TWO DIFFERENT OCCASIONS, ONE OF WHOM HAPPENS TO BE A SPECIALIST IN SOMETHING OR OTHER, AND I'M TO BELIEVE THAT YOU'RE SIMPLY SUFFERING FROM A MOMENTARY LOSS OF BALANCE!!!”

Exasperated at Harry's penchant for assuming the worse Hermione frowned as she tried to suss out the best way to say what she needed to say. Resisting the impulse to scream she laid her hand on Harry's arm and in as calm a voice as she could muster said.

“No Harry I do not expect you to believe that I've seen two separate healers over my sudden inability to maintain my balance during apparation…but I do expect you to settle down so that I can explain what is going on.”

“I expect straight answers Hermione…none of that partial disclosure that you're so good at.”

Hermione nodded her acquiescence and pointed to the couch.

“Let's have a seat…this bit of news shouldn't be taken standing up.”

As Hermione turned and headed back for the couch Harry could feel his unease return. Despite her assurances to the contrary Harry sensed that Hermione's news was much more complicated than she was letting on. It was with that thought in mind that Harry decided to steer the discussion. He waited as Hermione took up a seat on the couch before lowering himself to the coffee table in front of the couch. Hermione was about to ask Harry why he hadn't sat beside her when Harry began quite literally interrogating her.

“When exactly did you first seek out Paige's help?”

Deciding that maybe this way would be easier Hermione responded to Harry's question.

“When you left for Greece.”

If Harry was shocked by the pronouncement he didn't allow it to show on his face he simply continued on with his line of questioning.

“And why did you go to see her?”

Expelling a small puff of air Hermione answered.

“I'd been feeling out of sorts for a few weeks…irritable, unable to focus, constant headaches, unexplainably lethargic…you'd been telling me for a good week or more that I needed to see someone if I wasn't feeling well but I counted it up to stress and thought nothing of it. Only the symptoms wouldn't go away and finally I realized that something was well…off so I made an appointment with Paige to get myself checked out.”

Hermione paused and Harry asked.

“So you went to see Paige the day I left for Greece.”

Hermione shook her head.

“I saw Paige that day I found out you were leaving for Greece.”

Harry narrowed his eyes as he became conscious of the fact that whatever was wrong with Hermione she had known since he'd left for Greece.

“You were ill and you knew what was wrong and you let me go trotting off to Greece without so much as saying a word about it!”

Fearing an explosion of the legendary Potter temper Hermione hurriedly responded.

“I had every intention of telling you about my going to see Paige but when I got here you were packing to go and I thought it best not to say anything.”

“You thought it best not to say anything.”

Harry's words were more of a statement than a question. And though his tone was devoid of the anger she had anticipated Hermione's reply was still spoken at a barely perceptible whisper.

“I didn't want you getting hurt because you were worrying over me.”

Harry slipped off the coffee table and knelt down in front of Hermione, grasping her hands he too spoke in a whisper.

“Just tell me what's wrong love! What would I have been worrying over in Greece Hermione…what?”

Hermione expelled a jagged sigh before she spoke the three words that sent the world spinning.

“Harry I'm pregnant.”

0x01 graphic

Harry had no idea how long he stayed there kneeling on the floor staring into Hermione's dark brown eyes attempting to make his body and mind respond to the news he'd just heard. It felt like years but it was only mere moments that Harry knelt there blinking furiously as his mind repeated Hermione's words over and over again. Harry I'm pregnant. Harry I'm pregnant. Harry I'm pregnant. Harry I'm pregnant. Harry didn't remember rising to his feet or walking across the room and peering out the large window of his fourth floor flat. He only became aware of the fact that he'd moved after he heard Hermione speak.

“Harry are you alright…would you like some water…it helps.”

Harry turned around and stared at Hermione who was still sitting on the couch wringing her hands in her lap. As he looked at her the force of what her words truly meant slammed into him like the Cruciatus Curse. Hermione was pregnant…with his child…he was going to be a father…hang on was she asking him if he wanted a glass of water. Stopping and cocking his head to the side Harry raised his eyebrows in confusion as he asked.

“Why would I want water?”

Hermione looked up at Harry wide-eyed as she answered back in a rush of words.

“Well I know how shocking it is to hear what you've just heard and well if you suddenly feel as though you can't breathe and that the world seems to be turning upside down it helps if you sip a bit of water and take deep calming breaths.”

Following her rather odd declaration Hermione promptly clamped her mouth shut and resumed staring at her hands. Harry turned back to the window and asked.

“Are…are you certain…that you're…well…”

He suddenly felt very foolish for even attempting to ask such an idiotic thing of course she was certain. This was Hermione after all; she'd never have brought up the matter if it weren't a certainty. Harry quickly apologized.

“Sorry, stupid question that was.”

Hermione's voice sounded both small and anxious to Harry's ears as she responded.

“Its not a stupid question at all…I very nearly asked Paige the same thing when she told me.”

Hermione paused briefly before continuing.

“I was so stunned by the news I had a panic attack.”

The words had scarcely left her mouth before Harry whirled around and marched back across the room. He took up his perch on the coffee table, leaning towards Hermione and laying a hand on her knee he said.

“You had a panic attack…are you alright…is the baby alright!?”

Hermione smiled a rueful smile; she hadn't meant to frighten him. Resting one hand atop Harry's and the other on her still flat stomach she replied.

“Oh Harry everything's fine, just fine…”

Her voice trailed off into nothing as Harry squeezed her hand in what she hoped was relief. They sat for endless moments avoiding each other's gaze before Harry found his voice again and asked.

“How…how far along are you?”

Finding a spot on the carpet to stare at Hermione mumbled.

“Six or seven weeks.”

Silence descended upon them again before Harry raised his head and muttered.

“Transylvania.”

Hermione nodded. Harry nodded as well as his mind drifted back to the day he'd returned from his field mission in Transylvania. The six weeks he'd been away had been the longest time the two had been apart since they begun dating. Harry had missed Hermione terribly while he was away. His nights had been spent envisioning her face and remembering the deliciously warm, soft weight of her body next to his, the sound of her gentle even breathing as she slept, the contentment he felt when she was in his arms…yes he had indeed missed Hermione while he was away. He'd missed her so much that it never crossed his mind that neither of them had bothered to cast the contraceptive charm once they apparated to his flat that day two months ago. They'd simply fallen into bed and thoroughly enjoyed reacquainting themselves with each other until Ron had come and roused them to join the Weasley's for dinner.

Hermione watched Harry's quiet contemplations. She had of course expected him to be in a state of shock and rightfully so. It wasn't everyday that a bloke found out he was going to be a father. But she had expected some sort of reaction other than this silence. Harry had always been the reactionary sort; he was after all the epitome of what a hero was. He was forever leaping straight into the fray deciding what to do as he went along. When he didn't jump right into things it was a sign of his being at war with himself. Silence from Harry Potter was never a good thing. Unable to stand the ringing silence anymore Hermione spoke.

“Harry I'm sorry I know what you must be feeling. It is an awful lot to digest all at one time and I'll understand if you want no parts of this at all…I know that we never discussed what we'd do in a situation like this and I understand if you feel you're not ready…but I think it only fair to tell you that I've made a decision about what I wish to do and…well…Harry I want to have this child.”

Harry would been trying to gather together his scattered thoughts stared directly into Hermione's eyes as the last sentence she articulated fell from her lips. Harry's eyes widened in surprise as he rephrased and repeated Hermione's last statement back to her.

“You…you want to keep the baby?”

Hermione nodded her head as she answered affirmatively.

“Yes I do.”

Harry nodded and ran the fingers of his right hand through his hair while the left once again squeezed Hermione's hand. Hermione watched as Harry went back to his world of silence. Unwilling to sit under the oppressive silence again Hermione opened her mouth to speak again but was stopped by Harry's smooth baritone

“You're right this is a lot to take in all at once. I can tell you I'm shocked…the last thing I expected you to tell me was that you were pregnant. I reckon I'm more than a bit surprised as well…we've never been careless before. And it goes without saying that I'm a mite scared too…”

Harry paused and shifted his body as close to Hermione as he could. He took her face in his hands and directing her eyes to his picked up the thread of his speech.

“Actually I'm a lot scared…a baby is a big responsibility, but you already know that. But more than my being shocked, surprised or scared, the thing I feel the most is happy…happier than I've ever been in my life…I'm gonna be a dad.”

Hermione gasped at Harry's last words and tears immediately sprang to her eyes.

“You're…you're happy?”

A wide grin spread across Harry's face as he said.

“Happier than I've ever been in my life.”

At the sight of the smile swathing Harry's face Hermione launched herself into his arms sending them both careening to the floor as she kissed him soundly.


-->

7. Dreams


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 6: Dreams

“Higher Daddy higher!”

The green-eyed boy with the mop of messy brown hair squealed with delight as he felt the broom beneath him rise higher into the air. The wind whipped around him and the air became cooler the higher they rose. An ecstatic smile lit up the little boy's face as he and his father startled a flock of birds as they raced over the treetops that dotted the meadow of the back garden. The broom arced swiftly upward and then turned suddenly to the right, the young passenger let out a whoop of joy and his smile grew wider. With an identically ecstatic smile covering his face Harry, like his son, let out a whoop of happiness before letting go of the broom and calling out.

“Alright Jamey, you steer.”

At the sound of his father's voice five-year-old Jamey Potter grasped the broom handle in his small hands and set off at Thestral-like speed. Though he was a bit wobbly at first, the reassuring sound of his father's voice whispering a pointer or two about how to properly handle a broom set him straight quickly enough. As Jamey raced back and forth across the meadow Harry cheered his son on as loudly and exuberantly as he had been cheered. Just as Jamey was passing over the two-story cottage that the Potter family called home the back door opened and an unmistakable shriek permeated the air.

“Jamey!”

Harry chuckled as he once again took control of the broom and whispered to his son as he angled the broom towards the ground that he reckoned they might be in a spot of trouble. With a somewhat guilty grin Jamey nodded his head in agreement with his father's pronouncement as they coasted to the ground. Harry nimbly hopped off his beloved Firebolt with Jamey in tow. Hermione rushed over to the pair and in a Molly Weasleyesque manner round on them in full flow.

“Harry James Potter what in the name of Merlin do you think you're doing! Flying at breakneck speed around the grounds and letting Jamey steer no less! You know he's too young to handle a broom!”

Before Harry could fashion an answer the singsong voice of he and Hermione's two-year-old daughter Lily rang out.

“Fly with Daddy!”

Looking at his ebony haired browned eyed angel Harry reached out and plucking her from her mother's arms asked.

“Does Daddy's best girl want to go flying too?”

Lily clapped and nodded happily at the suggestion of going on her father's broom. Harry grinned broadly as he said.

“Off we go then!”

With a mischievous grin Harry turned and started back for his broom, Hermione reached over his shoulder and retrieved her daughter before Harry had scarcely made a step.

“You're not seriously thinking of taking Lily up there are you?!”

Harry smiled as he answered by saying.

“Well she wants to go Hermione…you heard her ask me yourself. She said fly with Daddy.”

As if on que Lily began squealing and clapping as she chanted `Fly, Fly, Fly'. Harry continued on.

“It wouldn't be fair for me to take Jamey up and not Lily now would it…”

Jamey inserted himself into the conversation between his parents ending the rest of his father's statement by asking a question.

“Daddy, are you going to let Lily steer too?”

Harry nodded.

“Of course.”

At Harry's words Hermione's eyes widened then narrowed as she knitted her brow in a thoroughly annoyed fashion. Seeing the slightly menacing look that was burgeoning on his wife's face Harry replied in his most repentant voice.

“Love I was only joking.”

Hermione eyed him sternly as she replied.

“Too right you are you're only joking.”

Harry walked over to his wife and pressed a kiss to her cheek. A small smile appeared at the corners of Hermione's mouth as she turned to face her husband and kissed him full on the lips. Stepping back Hermione looked seriously up at Harry and said.

“I suppose its useless to ask you not to take Jamey up but will you at least wait until Lily's a bit older before you go zooming about with her on that blasted broom.”

Considering the fact that he'd never been able to lie to Hermione's face and the additional matter of his having been taking both Jamey and Lily up on his broom since they were old enough to sit upright by themselves Harry avoiding making a promise he could keep by changing the direction of the discussion a bit.

“It's a mystery to me why you keep fighting the inevitable love…Jamey and Lily are Potters…and all Potters love to fly.”

Hermione chewed her bottom lip for a moment before responding.

“Is that so…I'm fighting a losing battle because all Potters love flying.”

Harry nodded and smiled. Hermione smiled too as she hastily said.

“I'm a Potter and I don't like flying so all hope is not lost.”

That said Hermione turned and sauntered back to the back door. Harry watched for a few moments as she disappeared inside before turning back to Jamey and saying.

“Come on we've got a bit of daylight left let's not waste it.”

Laughing loudly the pair raced back towards the waiting Firebolt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was awakened by feel of soft kisses and warm gentle hands caressing his bare chest. A sleepy smile graced his face as he opened his eyes and turned his head towards the source of the attention. It seemed that the absence of the children had sparked Hermione's more amorous side. Harry spoke teasingly.

“If you're employing your womanly wiles to get me up and out of bed be forewarned that if you keep doing what you're doing I'll get up but neither of us will be getting out of this bed.”

Hermione crawled slowly up the length of Harry's body and placed a kiss on his chin as she impishly replied.

“Who says I wanted you out of bed.”

Harry wrapped his arms around Hermione before capturing her mouth in a long and languid kiss. As they broke apart Hermione smiled seductively before she slithered back down the length of Harry's body. His eyes widened in surprise then drifted shut as he felt the warmth of Hermione's mouth enveloping him. Slumping back against the pillows Harry sucked in a ragged breath as he caught a glimpse of Hermione's blissful expression as she sucked his stiffening member into her mouth. Harry moaned low in his throat as Hermione's tongue swirled up, down and all around him, creating the most pleasurable sensations. For several long wonderful minutes Hermione licked and sucked Harry eliciting a bevy of pleased moans and grunts until he was rigid and pulsing with desire. She then crawled up his prone form and lowered herself onto his hardness. What ensued was the most satisfying wake up call Harry ever had the good fortune to receive.

Swathed in the lovely warmth of Hermione, listening to her moans and sighs of desire as she rhythmically ground her hips against his as he thrust his throbbing manhood inside her Harry watched Hermione intently. He loved seeing the pleasure he was causing her written all over her face. As she leaned forward to increase the lovely sensations shooting through her body Harry reared up and caught one of her plump nipples in his mouth. Hermione cried out in a frenzy of passion as Harry suckled her highly sensitive breasts and gripped her hips as he feverishly pumped his rigid shaft inside her welcoming heat until she fell over the edge shouting his name. He followed not shortly after grunting out incomprehensible words of lust and love.

as they lay basking in the afterglow of their morning activities Harry turned his head to the side looked down at Hermione and with a smile asked.

“Not that I'm complaining mind you but what was that about?”

Harry's eyes darted briefly to his semi-erect penis. Upon seeing his expression Hermione broke into another one of those impishly sexy grins of hers as she replied.

“Do I need a reason?”

Harry shook his head.

“No you don't need a reason I just wanted to know whether it was some specific thing I'd done that'd triggered it so I can make certain to do it again.”

Laughing Hermione reared up and captured Harry's lips in a soft tender kiss, gliding her tongue inside his mouth to intertwine with his. Harry felt himself pulse and stiffen a bit more as he tasted himself on Hermione's lips. Pulling away from the kiss Hermione said mischievously.

“The house was quiet and I was simply overcome by a sudden craving to have my way with you.”

The thought that Hermione had been craving him was enough to send another round of pulsing throbs through his shaft causing it to harden even more. He pulled Hermione into his arms and said.

“Bloody hell woman you keep talking like that and you won't be getting out of this bed for a fortnight.”

Hermione smiled as she quickly kissed Harry's cheek and retorted by saying.

“As lovely as that sounds I'll have to take a rain check…we're due at my parents' for brunch and to pick up Jamey and Lily, if we overindulge we'll be late.”

Having said that Hermione slipped out of Harry's arms and padded across the room to the bath. Harry sighed and lacing his hands behind his head fell back against the pillows. He heard the sound of water following from the tap in the shower. His mind drifted to an image of Hermione naked with rivulets of water cascading down her body, her own hands caressing her most intimate places. As the image took hold Harry briefly wondered what his in-laws would make of their tardiness, it wouldn't take much for them to suss out what they'd been up to. Even so it wasn't everyday that he and Hermione had the house to themselves, surely Robert and Helen would understand that. Yes the more he thought on it he was sure that Robert and Helen wouldn't mind a bit more time to spoil their grandchildren. Smiling and humming to himself Harry sat up and practically leapt out of bed as he made his way to the bath and Hermione.

0x01 graphic

Harry awoke with a bemused expression marring his countenance. Rubbing his eyes to rid them of the last vestiges of his sleep Harry sat up in bed and leaned his back against the headboard. Over the span of his lifetime Harry had had many dreams about his parents. Often during the night images of his parents and Sirius crept into his mind. Some of the things he saw in his dreams he reckoned were actual memories of his childhood, like the image of his mother singing to him as she bathed him in the kitchen sink, and the vision of his father bouncing him up and down on his knee as his mother sat nearby folding the wash. There was even one dream in which a crawling Harry was rolling about the floor with his father and Sirius and his father while his mother and Remus looked on with amusement. Though he had no proof that any of those things had actually taken place Harry liked to think those events had really happened. They were his confirmation that he had once belonged to a genuine family of his very own. Over the years Harry had had a great many dreams about the family he'd had but he'd never dared to allow himself to dream of the family he wanted to have…that was until now.

Harry closed his eyes and allowed the images from the dream he'd just awoken from to replay in his mind. The black roofed, slate gray two-story country cottage with its expanse of rolling green meadows swam to the forefront of his mind. He remembered the vision he had of his son a small knobby-kneed five year old with his mother's brown hair and his father's green eyes that sparkled with the light of a happiness and love. He thought of the way he'd pictured his daughter, the adorable cherub-like face, the ebony curls and the mischievous clear brown eyes. And he thought of Hermione and how right it seemed that she be the woman who he pledged his heart to, the woman who would bear his children, the woman who would share his life.

For a moment Harry attempted to rationalize the new thoughts and feelings coursing through him. Naturally he was having these sorts of thoughts…a scant seven or eight hours before he'd found out he was about to be a father. And as it was Hermione who was carrying his yet to be born offspring it made sense that he'd see her as his wife when he imagined what his family would be like. As soon as he had logically sorted himself out that it occurred to him that in those rare moments when he slipped and let himself think of the life he truly wanted, it had always been the same. Jamey and Lily's appearances had always been more or less the same, sometimes they'd swap hair color but little else was different. And his nameless faceless better half had always had distinctly Hermione-like mannerisms and actions. The only difference between his old dreams and this new one was that it was now evident that the woman he'd been seeing in his mind all that time had been right in front of his face…it had been Hermione all along, even when he was with Ginny it had been Hermione.

As Harry sat in bed absorbing the full impact of his newfound revelation the bed dipped a bit as Hermione rolled over and cuddle up beside him. Harry smiled as he looked down at the woman he loved. It only took his seeing her sleeping peacefully beside him to know that he wanted to wake up to that sight everyday for eternity. Carefully so as not to disturb her Harry quietly crept out of bed and silently padded to the loo.

0x01 graphic

Soft kisses and the gentle whispering of her name awakened Hermione. A smile crossed her features as she lay there remembering the events of the preceding day. Harry had returned home unannounced and she'd told him about the baby and much to her relief he was happy. She'd been so convinced that Harry would be unhappy about the pregnancy that she'd never given any thought to the idea that he may actually be happy about the whole thing. Upon finding out that Harry was in fact keen on the idea of being a father Hermione had been so relieved that she'd thrown herself into Harry's arms and all but ripped his clothes off his body. Harry wouldn't actually touch her until he was thoroughly convinced that the baby wasn't at risk. But once he was convinced things had taken a very pleasurable turn.

Hermione's smile grew wider as she remembered their lovemaking from the previous day. Her overly sensitized system had made their usual escapades all the more enjoyable. The mere thought of Harry's hands caressing her more pronounced curves, and the orgasmic bliss the feel of his tongue gliding over her nipples caused Hermione to flush and bite down on her bottom lip stifling a moan. Seeing the expression on her face Harry asked.

“Hermione what are you thinking about?”

Blushing to the roots of her hair Hermione replied in a stammer.

“I…I…I was…ju…just…thinking about last night.”

Catching sight of Hermione's erect nipples imprinted against the sheet that was covering her nude body Harry smiled and said.

“Looks like you were doing more than thinking.”

Hermione blushed crimson. Harry smiled as he stretched out beside Hermione on the bed and pulling her into his arms kissed her slowly and passionately. When the kiss ended both Harry and Hermione were slightly breathless. Hermione snuggled close to Harry and laid her head against his chest. It was then that she realized that Harry was dressed for the day. Checking the time she saw that it was just gone eight. Knowing that Harry was not a morning person and never got out of bed at such an early hour without a good reason Hermione inquired.

“You're up and about rather early…I thought you didn't have to report to work today.”

Harry looked down at the sweatshirt and jeans he was wearing and replied.

“I don't. I just had some errands to run.”

Hermione frowned. What kind of errands could Harry possibly have to run before eight in the morning? Harry watched the quizzical furrowing of Hermione's brow. No doubt she was trying to figure out where he'd been and what he'd been up to. Harry smiled excitedly to himself as he set about clearing up Hermione's confusion. Shifting so that he could see directly into Hermione's eyes Harry spoke.

“Hermione, I've got something I'd like to show you.”

Hermione looked up and met Harry's gaze as she responded.

“Alright what is it?”

Hermione made as if to sit up as she concurrently looked about to see what it was that he wanted to show her. Seeing her movements Harry called out.

“No Hermione I meant I wanted to show you something in here.”

As he spoke Harry tapped his temple so that Hermione would catch on to what he intended. Hermione nodded her head in understanding when she realized that Harry meant to use Legilimency. During what would have been their seventh and final year at Hogwarts Hermione had succeeded in doing what Snape had failed at miserably during their fifth year…teaching Harry the fine arts of Legilimency and Occulumency. She'd thought the talent may come in handy as she was certain Voldemort would attempt to exploit his connection to Harry being that Dumbledore was dead and Harry was no longer safely ensconced behind the battlements of Hogwarts. Armed with several books on the subject and a determination that only Hermione could muster she managed to teach not only herself and Harry how to insinuate themselves into others thoughts and repel them but Ron as well. The skill had served them well during their hunt for the horcruxes. The threesome also found that it came in handy when they wanted to talk amongst themselves with others being privy. Now it seemed it Harry needed her to see something that could only be seen through Legilimency. Curious as to what he could possibly want her to see Hermione took a deep breath to steady herself.

Harry looked at Hermione and asked.

“Ready?”

Holding his gaze Hermione nodded. Suddenly she was hit with an onslaught of images. At first the images were all familiar episodes from her friendship with Harry. There was the incident with the troll, their flight on Buckbeak to free Sirius, the Department of Mysteries, the hunt for the horcruxes and Voldemort's defeat. The images changed then to more recent times. Their first official date, their long walks in the park, their first kiss, dinner with Ron and Luna, the first time they'd made love.

The pictures changed again, however this set of images she had never seen they included: a slate gray country cottage, rolling emerald green meadows, Harry whizzing by on his Firebolt, a brown-haired, green-eyed little boy and a little girl with deep brown eyes and jet black curls. There were images of Harry and her with the two small children, giving them baths, reading bedtime stories, having dinner and picnics by the lake at Hogwarts. She saw herself making cookies, hanging up Harry's freshly laundered auror's robes and drifting off to sleep each night in his arms. Then just as quickly as the images flooded her brain they stopped. Hermione closed her eyes for a moment to fully take in everything she'd just seen. Just as she opened her eyes and was about to ask Harry what the last set of images were about when he spoke.

“I've been having those dreams for awhile…since before the war ended actually. When I'd let myself imagine what my life would be like if I survived Voldemort and had the chance at a normal life.”

Harry paused for a beat before continuing.

“The dreams were always the same…I'd see myself with a home and a family, a real family of my own. And though I could clearly see the house we'd live in and the life we'd have; I could see my unborn children's faces, tell you their names and their favorite foods, the picture was never complete because I could never see her face…the woman who made it all possible. She was always there in the background completing the picture but I was never able to see her. I could hear her laughter, feel her touch, I could even see her smile but I could never put a face to go along with it all. And no matter who I was seeing at the time none of them ever fit into the vision in my dreams.”

Harry paused again briefly and took Hermione's hand in his own.

“I could never see her face until today. Because today I realized why I was able to see that smile, feel that touch and hear that laugh…I finally understood why no one ever could come close to being the woman of my dreams. It was because she wasn't a dream; she was real and had been right there beside me the whole time. That woman is you Hermione…and I think its high time we stopped living the life we were meant to live in dreams.”

Hermione opened her mouth to ask Harry what he was saying but instead of words coming out in its place she gasped as her gaze fell upon a sparkling emerald-cut diamond with two emerald-cut sapphire side stones set in a platinum band. Tears shimmered in her eyes as Harry said.

“Marry me Hermione, make my dreams come.”

Though her response was muffled by the tears choking her voice and the force with which she kissed his there was no doubt in Harry's mind that the answer was a resounding yes.

0x01 graphic

Harry and Hermione arrived at the Burrow just past two o'clock on Sunday. Harry had received an owl from Ron saying that the entire clan of redheads was getting together for dinner. He knew that Hermione usually reserved weekends to spend with her parents. The Grangers were especially fond of having Sunday brunch together but seeing as how Harry had been away for two weeks and Hermione had been likewise unavailable Molly was starting to worry. So Ron had owled to let them know about the family plans and to suggest that they pop in for just a moment to say hello if could manage to fit it into their schedules. As a trip to the Burrow was already planned for the day Harry and Hermione were more than happy to oblige Ron's request.

The smiling couple walked into the lounge of the Burrow and was instantly set upon by Molly who pulled them into a joint bear hug.

“Oh Harry and Hermione its so good to see you both. I had no idea you were coming!”

Hermione and Harry each pressed a kiss to Molly's cheeks as she looked back over her shoulder and called out.

“Ginny set two more places Harry and Hermione are here!”

Harry grinned heartily as he said.

“Ron owled us about today's get together. And seeing that everyone was planning to be here and we have a bit of news to share we thought we'd pop in for a bit.”

Molly's eyes widened as she asked.

“News, what news?”

Harry grinned a little wider as he replied.

“Oh its nothing that can't keep until after dinner.”

Molly narrowed her eyes and looked from Harry to Hermione. She couldn't remember the last time she she'd seen Harry grinning so much and Hermione was positively glowing. Molly guessed that whatever news the young couple had to share was big and she wasn't about to wait until after dinner to hear it. Planting her fists firmly on her hips Molly said.

“Out with it. Exactly what have you two gotten up two?”

With a devilish smile swathing his face Harry answered back evenly.

“Nothing you'd disapprove of Molly I assure you and as I said before this news can keep until after dinner. That way we'll all be together and everyone can hear it at once.”

Whipping her wand out of her apron pocket Molly performed a complicated series of rapid swishes and suddenly the entire Weasley family was standing about the living room. Will, Christian, Adam, Perceus and Fredericka who'd been in the back garden chasing gnomes looked around completely bewildered as to how they had ended up inside. Luna, Penelope and Fleur looked as confused as the children wondering how they had come to be in the lounge instead of in the kitchen making tarts for afters. Paige, Charlie, Percy, Angelina, Alicia, Bill, Ron, Arthur and Ginny who was holding two place settings of dishes in her hands; had likewise been taken from various pursuits all looked around wonderingly at why they had been summoned. Fred and George who had apparently been in the midst of some mischief were the only ones who didn't seem the least bit out of sorts by the abrupt summons. Once everyone was assembled around them Molly said.

“Everyone's here…now then, what's this news you and Hermione have to share?”

Harry took Hermione's hand in his own and smiling his biggest smile yet said.

“Allow me to introduce to you for the first time my lovely wife, Mrs. Hermione Jane Potter.”

Harry held out Hermione's left hand allowed the room to get a look at the beautiful diamond and sapphire engagement ring and matching wedding band. Everyone stared at Hermione's hand in stunned silence processing this completely unexpected development when suddenly there was a thunderous crash. Startled, the assemblage turned to see the source of the disturbance. Percy let out a gasp and dropping to the floor cried out.

“Dear Merlin, Ginny's fainted dead away!”

A/N: I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get this chapter up but as real life took over. I started a new job and time just got away from me. Hopefully things have calmed down enough so that I can carry on uninterrupted. Hope it was enjoyable. Can't wait to read your reviews!


-->

8. Author's Note


Author's Note

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated but life has been a bit crazy of late. I started a new job and after being there for a month I was transferred into a different department. Needless to say I've been swamped with work and everything had to go on hold. As if that weren't enough I somehow managed to lose my travel drive that held Always Wanted. Luckily I had a back up copy on CD, but the copy didn't contain my latest updates thus I lost three and a half chapters; half of five, all of six and seven which have been posted and eight which had not.

I am only now getting time to get around to putting everything back as it was. I'll have to start over with chapter eight all together but such is life. I thank you all for your patience and understanding and ask that you indulge me just a bit longer.

Thanks and Happy Reading!!!

Searcy…..


-->

9. Announcements


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 7: Announcements

As Percy's alarmed cry rose throughout the room Harry and Hermione's news was momentarily forgotten as everyone's attention turned to Ginny's prostrate form lying on the living room floor. Molly and Arthur quickly made their way to the spot where their only daughter was lying. Molly grasped Ginny by the shoulders, it looked as though she was about to shake her when Paige laid a steadying hand on her shoulder and said.

“Hang on there Molly, let me have a look at her first.”

A relieved expression crossed Molly's face as Paige crouched down and pulling out her wand began examining Ginny. Several tense seconds passed as everyone awaited a diagnosis from Paige, it seemed to be taking forever. Fred and George sidled up to Paige and simultaneously opened their mouths to ask what had happened to their sister just as Paige gave a satisfied nod and said.

“No need to worry everything looks fine. I reckon she's just a bit shocked is all.”

Ron looked over at Harry and Hermione as he replied.

“Blimey I wonder what could've shocked her so!”

Hermione chewed her lip apologetically.

Paige smiled.

“I'll just wake her up then.”

Relieved that Ginny was all right and not wanting to miss the chance to have a go at Harry and Hermione first Fred and then George chimed in.

“Best move her to the couch Paige.”

“Wouldn't want the sight of that ring to knock her out again.”

Paige shook her head as she chose to ignore the twins' antics. With a wave of her wand she muttered “Ennervate” and Ginny's eyes fluttered open. Once again the room erupted into cacophony of sound as Molly began questioning Ginny about her sudden collapse, while Arthur and Percy helped her to her feet.

“Ginny dear, are you alright…are you hurt…do you feel unwell…what happened?”

As Molly rattled off question after question Arthur gently chided her.

“Now Molly, give her a chance to collect herself before you go badgering her with questions.”

Molly nodded her head in agreement then proceeded to fuss over Ginny by pelting her with questions about how she felt and attempting to usher her to the couch. Ginny shook off her mother's ministrations and stepping away from her parents she moved towards Harry and Hermione. As she drew nearer Harry took note of the expression marring Ginny's face. Having known Ginny for such a long time and having seen more than a few of her explosively haranguing diatribes Harry could tell that Ginny was winding up to get in a right good flow. Ginny was about to give an opinion on the news he and Hermione had just shared with the Weasleys and Harry was certain that it was not going to be anything along the lines of a simple heartfelt congratulations. Harry reckoned that Ginny was about to deliver another one of her cleverly disguised insults.

Harry sighed gruffly, he had long found fault in Ginny's treatment of Hermione. The entire time that they'd dated it seemed to Harry that Ginny had always felt the need to prove that she knew him better than anyone else and that she was not playing second to Hermione in his life. Thus, Ginny had always had the tendency to be a bit short with Hermione whenever Harry and Hermione had disagreed. Ginny was known to snap at Hermione viciously whenever Hermione said something to Harry Ginny felt was unwarranted. In the beginning Harry had thought that it was just her way of being a supportive girlfriend, until he noticed how her attacks were only directed at Hermione and never at Ron or any of their other friends. Harry soon came to realize that Ginny was marking her territory of sorts, making sure that everyone knew that she was with Harry and that Hermione was nothing more than a friend.

Looking back on things Harry realized that he could have put a stop to the whole affair by speaking to Ginny or showing her in some other way that Hermione was no threat to her. But instead of doing that Harry had made it clear that his and Hermione's long standing friendship gave her the privilege of speaking to him in ways that others could not, Ginny included. He'd asserted that Hermione had always been one of the few people willing to tell him when he was being a daft git, thus, on those occasions when Hermione had taken him to task resulting in words between the two women in his life Harry had more often than not sided with Hermione.

Once he and Ginny had ended things and he and Hermione had become a couple Ginny's snapping to his defense had converted itself into something altogether different and become a constant barrage of snide comments meant to hurt Hermione. And though he'd offered to put an end to Ginny's childish behavior many times Hermione had said that time would sort it all out. But as he stood watching Ginny building up to say something covertly nasty Harry reckoned that he and Hermione had run out of time on Ginny accepting the way things were and would be. And he was sure that once she heard of the baby things would get far worse instead of better. But, Harry was not about to stand for any ill treatment of his wife. Taking a deep steadying breath Harry made up his mind to put Ginny in her place then and there.

Ginny walked up to the couple and queried Harry.

“You're married? You actually asked Hermione to marry you?”

Harry slipped an arm around Hermione's waist and with a nod of his head answered with a simple “Yes”.

Ginny gnawed the inside of her lower lip a bit before saying.

“A bit sudden isn't it…it's not like you to go rushing off into something…”

Luna interrupted Ginny.

“Actually Ginny it's just like Harry to run off and do something like this without thinking it through…don't you remember the Department of Mysteries…”

Luna paused and smiled before adding.

“No this is exactly like Harry…act first, think later.”

Harry swung around and looking at Luna muttered a somewhat indistinct “Huh” as a ripple of laughter rang through the room from the rest of the family at Luna's characterization of Harry. Luna tapped her lips with a forefinger before prattling on.

“Now if you'd have said this is so unlike Hermione it would have been closer to true…but not really true. As Harry's always been the reckless sort it's always been up to Hermione to do the thinking and the sussing things out but she usually finds that Harry's way of thinking is as close to the mark as one can get, either that or he's so far gone that her only course is to just go along and make sure he comes out of things alright. They're quite the pair those two, but then they always have been haven't they.”

At his wife's last statement Ron cleared his throat. Looking over at him and smiling fondly Luna patted Ron on the arm and said.

“Well actually they've always been quite the trio…Harry running off into Merlin knows what without thinking, Ronald blindly following dead on his heels and Hermione ready with a clever plan to save their arses when need be…”

Fred and George exploded in guffaws as Harry and Ron looked at Luna as though they both dearly wished they could shove a sock down her throat. Luna continued on oblivious to their stares.

“And I reckon Ronald is a bit hurt by the fact that the two of you went off on this little adventure without him…he expected to stand up for you lot like you did for us…but with our being off on an expedition with dad and what with your situation and all I suppose it was all unavoidable. But I expect that your naming him godfather will ease any hurt feelings you have won't it Ronald.”

Ron, Fred, George and the rest of the Weasley men looked at Luna as if she'd taken a step or two more round the twist than usual when Hermione's voice rang through the air.

“You know…how did you figure it out?”

Luna smiled knowingly but didn't answer as the chorus of voices that sounded through the air would've drowned her voice out. Ron looked at Hermione in confusion and asked.

“What did Luna figure out?”

Fleur clapped her hands over her mouth and exclaimed loudly.

“Zat is why you are glowing!”

Charlie grinned as he caught on and slapping Harry on the back boomed.

“Congratulations Harry, Congratulations!”

Again Ron quizzed.

“Who's glowing?”

Alicia and Angelina yelled out.

“When are you due?”

“Any idea what you're having?”

Irritated that his queries had seemingly gone unheard Ron walked over to Harry and Hermione and bellowed loudly.

“FOR THE LOVE OF MERLIN WOULD ONE OF YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE BLOODY HELL EVERYONE IS GOING ON ABOUT!!!”

Ron's shouting effectively brought all the chatter to a halt. George shook his head as he said.

“Poor little one.”

Fred nodded in agreement.

“Can you imagine having a dunderhead like this one for a role model?!”

Fred reached over and ruffled Ron's hair. As Ron swatted at his hand Molly stepped forward and peering at the young couple before her asked.

“Is it true…are you really…”

Molly gestured towards Hermione's belly. Harry's arm tightened about Hermione's waist as he splayed his open hand across Hermione's still flat stomach, Hermione's hand drifted up to Harry's and their fingers interlocked and Harry replied.

“Its true Molly, Hermione and I are expecting!”

Molly burst into tears as she threw her arms around both Harry and Hermione as she cried.

“Oh my word, this is wonderful news! This calls for a true celebration…Arthur come along!”

Molly rushed off towards the kitchen with Arthur rushing excitedly behind her. Ron ceased swatting Fred's hand as Harry's words reached his ears. His eyes lowered to Harry and Hermione's splayed interlocked fingers. He voice was barely audible when he spoke.

“Bloody hell, you two are married and Hermione's pregnant and…and…and I'm gonna be a bloody godfather.”

Ron paused then nodding at Harry and Hermione added.

“Provided that you and the missus haven't already got someone else to do it.”

Hermione eased out of Harry's grasp, walked over to Ron and hugging him tightly said.

“Of course we want you and Luna to be godparents, we'd never consider anyone else.”

Harry nodded.

“Actually you don't have a choice in the matter; we're putting you down for the job no matter what you say.”

Ron raised a grinning face to Harry as he replied.

“It's you who hasn't got a choice mate, after what you pulled running off and getting married without me…So don't go getting any ideas that someone else will be playing godfather to our ickle Ronald Harry Potter.”

Hermione pulled a face.

“Ronald Harry Potter…Ron you can't seriously think I'd name a child of mine, Ronald Harry Potter…”

Harry cut in.

“I should bloody well hope not!”

Ron raised his hands in a gesture of appeasement.

“Alright…alright…just thought I'd give it a shot…Harry Ronald Potter is just as fine a name as Ronald Harry…”

Ron's voice trailed off into howling laughter as he got a look at Hermione's horrified expression. Harry took one look at his wife's face and added his own hearty voice to Ron's. Luna walked over to Hermione and placing a hand on her shoulder as Hermione muttered.

“Ronald Harry…Harry Ronald…who'd name a child something so ghastly.”

Luna offered comfortingly.

“It's better than their coming up with girls' names like Rhonda Harriett or Henrietta Ronnell.”

Luna's words sent Ron and Harry, the twins, Paige, Fleur, Bill, Angelina, Alicia and Charlie, into a fit of riotous laughter. Ginny raised her voice above the din and said pointedly to Hermione.

“A bit clichéd getting yourself knocked up but I suppose that's one way to land a bloke.”

The laughter on everyone's lips faded as soon as those words left Ginny's mouth. Harry took a step forward intent on letting Ginny know he wouldn't tolerate her speaking to Hermione in such a manner any more. He'd only just opened his mouth when Hermione began to speak.

“Clichéd? I suppose it does seem a bit clichéd…a world wind courtship between longtime friends, she ends up pregnant, a hasty wedding…”

Hermione paused for a moment before going on.

“Yes it is the stuff that clichés are made of, but when a man you've adored for longer than can remember tells you that no one ever could come close to being the woman of his dreams because she wasn't a dream; because she was real and had been right there beside him the whole time and that that woman is you…when a man tells you something like that, there's absolutely nothing cliché about it.”

As Hermione ended her words the room erupted in a refrain of breathless sighs from the women present. A litany of responses followed.

“That is the sweetest proposal I've ever heard.”

“Oooooh how beautiful.”

“I'm ready to fun off and marry him and I'm already married!”

While everyone gushed Harry spared a glance in Ginny's direction, her expression was similar to that of someone who'd just been hit with an unexpected stunning spell. Harry then directed his attention to Hermione and noted that she looked rather pleased with herself. Hooking an arm about her waist her drew Hermione away from their assembly of well wishers and asked.

“Care to explain what that was all about?”

Hermione shrugged.

“Just establishing the order of things.”

When he realized that no further explaination was forthcoming he asked a second question.

“And exactly what order of things are you talking about?

Hermione nonchalantly replied.

“I was merely letting Ginny know that I'm done putting up with her swotty attitude and that if she insists on trying to degrade me any more I'll give as good as I get.”

Harry nodded and wrapped his arms about Hermione's waist as he said.

“I see but why hadn't you said anything before?”

Hermione slipped her arms around Harry's neck and answered with.

“I didn't say anything before because I felt bad about how everything happened between us and I honestly thought that given time Ginny would get over having lost you. But her actions today showed me that Ginny's bitterness towards our relationship isn't about some wrong we've done her, its about her own foolish pride over having been dim witted enough to let you get away. And while I understand why she'd be angry over that I've no intention of being her permanent whipping post.”

Harry smiled. Hermione returned his smile then added.

“Besides I was starting to get a touch annoyed with Ginny's attempts at being clever.”

Harry raised an eyebrow and said.

“Do my ears deceive me or have I just heard Hermione Jane Potter utter a catty remark?”

Hermione's reply was a sly smile. Harry responded to Hermione's smile by leaning in and dropping a soft kiss on her curved lips. Before things could get more involved Molly came back into the room and cornered the newlyweds.

“Ahh here you are…Harry I need you to fetch Hermione's parents before the other guests arrive.”

Turning to look at Molly Harry quizzed.

“Guests…what guests?”

Molly chuckled as she replied.

“Why all your friends and family of course…you can't very well have a wedding reception without guests now can you!”

Harry's mouth dropped open as he exclaimed.

“Wedding reception…what wedding reception!”

“Why yours and Hermione's of course.”

Molly turned and looking across the room called out.

“Penelope would you be a dear and help Fred and George with the decorations…make sure they don't get to exuberant won't you.”

As Penelope nodded and headed off to corral the twins Molly Turned back to Harry and Hermione and said.

“Now Hermione you run along and freshen up while I put the finishing touches on the cake…”

Seeing that Harry was still standing in the same place Molly gave him a tiny shove.

“Harry dear you mustn't dawdle off you go.”

Harry turned to Hermione with a look of utter bewilderment on his face. Hermione merely smiled as she raised herself up on her tiptoes and places a kiss on Harry's cheek said.

“Don't dawdle love.”

That said she turned and proceeded up the stairs to freshen up. Molly smiled at Harry and patted his other cheek dotingly before she turned and hurried back into the kitchen barking out orders as she went. Shaking his head Harry muttered “Bloody Merlin a wedding reception” just before he disapparated to retrieve his in-laws.

A/N: Thanks for your patience I hope it was worth the wait!


-->

10. We're Family Now

What I Always Wanted Chapter 8: We’re Family Now

Harry arrived at the Granger’s front gate with a pop. He glanced about briefly to make sure no one had seen him. Normally he apparated right into the house when he visited Hermione’s parents but on those occasions he was with Hermione and they more than likely were expected. As the Grangers were not expecting him, he thought it best to arrive in as normal a fashion as possible. Seeing no one watching Harry ambled up the walk and upon arriving at the door rang the bell. While he stood waiting for one of Hermione’s parents to answer Harry glimpsed the platinum band encircling his finger and realized that at present Hermione’s parents were quite uniformed about his status as their new son-in-law. Just as Harry’s newfound revelation sunk in the door swung open and Harry found himself face to face with Robert Granger.

“Harry m’boy what a pleasant surprise!”

Harry quickly jammed his left hand into his front pocket and muttered.

“Um…ahh…hello Mr. Granger.”

Robert Granger smiled.

“Now Harry I think after all this time you would know to dispense with such formality.”

Harry nodded and stuttered in reply.

“Ahh…ahh…ye…ye…yes sir…Mr. Granger…dispense with formality.”

Robert let out a hearty chuckle.

“Ha Ha Ha… very amusing Harry, very amusing indeed!”

Harry smiled weakly. Suddenly Helen Granger’s voice drifted into the room.

“Robert, who’s at the door?”

As Robert turned to answer his wife Harry muttered a quick spell under his breath that concealed his wedding band from view.

“Its Harry love.”

“Harry?”

Helen strode into the room drying her hands on a kitchen towel. She looked from her husband to Harry with a quizzical expression marring her face.

“For heaven’s sake Robert are you going to make the poor boy stand in the doorway or are you going to let him in!”

Robert Granger grinned sheepishly as he stepped aside and gestured for Harry to step into the foyer. Helen stepped forward and clasped Harry’s hand and patted it affectionately as she steered him into the living room.

“How good to see you Harry, can I get you anything, a bite to eat or perhaps a spot of tea …”

Helen paused and waited for a reply. Harry shook his head no. Helen inclined her head slightly before continuing.

“I suppose you’re looking for Hermione then, as you know we usually have brunch on Sundays but we haven’t seen hide nor hair of that girl of ours today, we thought the pair of you were off enjoying the day with each other but as you’re here that certainly can’t be the case. You’re sure I can’t get you anything?”

Harry shook his head as he said.

“No, no thank you. I’m actually not here looking for Hermione; I left her back at the Weasleys. I’m here to invite you both to a…a…ahh…bit of a reception that Molly’s putting on at the Burrow.”

Helen turned and looked up at Harry.

“How nice of Molly to think of us…what’s the reception for?”

Harry blanched as he fumbled for the appropriate way to answer. Robert mused out loud.

“Hmmm…a reception at the Weasleys…I don’t expect too many of the other guests will be er…ahh…what’s that term you lot use for non-magical persons?”

Grateful for the change in subject Harry replied.

“Muggles and no sir I don’t expect they’ll be any other non-magic persons there besides yourselves.”

Robert nodded. Helen again asked.

“Harry you never said, what is the reception for?”

Again Harry was saved by the maddeningly inquisitive Granger disposition that Hermione had inherited from her father.

“And exactly how would we get there? Ottery St. Catchpole is quite a ways away I don’t suppose we’d be able to drive there in enough time to make the do.”

“You could drive it sir but you’d have had to have left several hours ago so we’ll have to rely on magic.”

Robert Granger smiled enthusiastically.

“Magic eh…exactly what type of magic?”

Happy to expound on the topic Harry launched into an explanation.

“Well wizards travel by several means…there’s broomsticks of course, the floo, apparation and portkeys.”

Harry paused a second before going on to give more detail.

“Traveling by broomstick is a bit like driving a car with the exception of you being several hundred feet in the air and completely exposed to the elements especially the cold damp air of the clouds. But the views are far more interesting.”

Robert broke in with a chuckle at Harry’s characterization of flying. Harry gave a small smile before moving on.

“Traveling by floo or portkey is much quicker but also more complicated. When you floo you have to speak very clearly when you toss the floo powder in the fireplace otherwise you could end up somewhere you certainly don’t want to be. And there is always the added worry of getting out at the wrong grate. Portkeys are much easier, though the landings are a bit hard on the body, but you need a permit from the Ministry of Magic and that can take ages to acquire. So most wizards find apparating much easier…”

Robert interjected excitedly.

“Apparating, that’s that popping in and out that you do isn’t it?”

Harry nodded. Robert turned to his wife and said.

“Did you hear that love we’re going to apparate!”

It was now Helen’s turn to blanche slightly.

“Apparate…but we’re not magical in the least…”

Harry cut in.

“You needn’t worry about that…all you’d have to do is hold on to me.”

Peering at him skeptically Helen Paraphrased Harry’s last four words.

“Hold on to you?”

Harry nodded.

“Yes you see we’ll do what’s called side along apparation…that’s where someone holds on to the person doing the actual apparating.”

Helen quizzed.

“And there’s no danger in our doing this?”

Harry thought it best not to tell his new mother-in-law about the possibility of being splinched. Shaking his head and pasting on what he hoped was a reassuring smile he answered back.

“No danger at all.”

Robert Granger beamed.

“Of course there’s no danger to it love Hermione and Harry do it all the time!”

Helen frowned as she stared back at her husband and replied.

“Of course Hermione and Harry do it all the time, they are wizards, unlike us.”

Robert smiled adoringly at his wife and said.

“Precisely.”

Shaking her head in exasperation Helen turned her attention back to Harry and asked.

“What is Molly serving?”

Harry shrugged as he answered.

“Umm…I’ve no idea really…usually when she does these things there’s a little bit of everything.”

Helen tapped her lips with her forefinger.

“I see, Robert I suppose we should go with two bottles of chardonnay and two of merlot.”

Robert nodded in agreement.

“Excellent suggestion, I’ll fetch the wine while you change dear.”

With that said Robert Granger headed off towards the kitchen. Helen headed for the stairs and calling over her shoulder said.

“Do make yourself comfortable and have a seat Harry, we’ll just be a few minutes.”

Harry nodded to the empty room and dropped down in a heap on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione stood in front of the mirrored wardrobe that stood in the corner of Fred and George’s old bedroom. She was alternately holding two dresses up to her front; one of which was a simple pale green affair that stopped mid-calf and had a very demure rounded neckline, while the other an equally simple black mid-calf number had a deep plunging neckline that looked as though it went on to her navel. As she stood trying to suss out which dress was most suitable to the occasion Ron’s voice drifted in from the doorway.

“Definitely the black one.”

Hermione looked up and caught sight of Ron in the mirror. She turned and inquired.

“Why the black one?”

Ron replied.

“Why, out of consideration for your new husband of course.”

Hermione frowned quizzically as she asked.

“How would my wearing this black dress be considerate of Harry?”

Grinning impishly Ron answered.

“Considering that in a few months time you’ll be twice the size you are now the least you can do is leave the bloke with a lovely memory of the way you and your bits were once upon a time.”

Hermione tossed the green dress at Ron’s head as he bent over double clutching his stomach laughing hysterically. The dress floated down onto his shoulder as Hermione replied.

“Thank you Ron for reminding me that soon I’ll be roughly the size of a hippogriff!”

Ron stood up partially shrouded in Hermione’s discarded dress and said.

“Hippogriff…dragon…seventeen-foot tall overweight giant…none of it’ll matter to Harry in the slightest; he’ll still think you’re the most gorgeous thing to ever walk the planet…”

Ron paused for a beat then added.

“And I reckon he’d be just about right.”

Hermione’s breath caught in her throat as tears simultaneously collected in her eyes.

“Oh Ron, that’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me!”

With a snap of his fingers Ron conjured up a handkerchief and covered the distance separating him from Hermione in a two long strides.

“Bloody hell Hermione I didn’t say that for you to turn into a sodding hose pipe!”

“I can’t help it Ron, it’s my hormones they’re jumping all over the ruddy place…an…an…and that was such a lovely thing for you to say…”

Words failed Hermione as a hiccupping sob caught in her throat. Ron rolled his eyes as he handed her the handkerchief he was holding and awkwardly patted her back. Much to his chagrin Ron’s attentive ministrations only increased the vehemence of Hermione’s tears. Finally after what felt like five hours to Ron but was much closer to five minutes Hermione was again composed. In a rather clogged voice she offered her thanks.

“Thank you Ron.”

Ron shrugged then asked.

“You’re alright then?”

Hermione nodded.

“I’m fine Ron…this pregnancy just has me a bit more emotional than usual. I didn’t mean to blubber all over you.”

Ron smiled.

“Considering my past experiences with your emotional outbursts I’ll take your blubbering all over me to your blasting birds of death and destruction at me any day.”

Hermione plopped down on the bed and muttered.

“You’re never going to let me forget that are you?”

Ron stroked his cheek thoughtfully for a moment before answering.

“No…it’s my only real proof that you’re not perfect. So I imagine I’ll be holding that one over your head until we’re both a thousand or so years old.”

Hermione smiled as she scooted over on the bed and patted the space next to her. She waited for Ron to sit before she spoke.

“All of that seems so long ago.”

Ron bobbed his head in agreement.

“It does seem a bit like another lifetime doesn’t it. I reckon if someone’d told us then that in ten years time you and Harry would be expecting and I’d be married to Loony Lovegood we’d have thought they were taking the mickey.”

Hermione chuckled as Ron continued on with his thought process.

“But that just goes to show how little we know about these things. I mean I wouldn’t trade one second of my life with Luna for all the galleons in the world and I’ve never seen Harry this happy before…come to think of it this may be the first time I’ve ever seen him actually happy!”

Hermione placed her hand on her stomach and added in.

“He is really excited about the baby.”

Ron took Hermione’s left hand in his own and said.

“It’s not just the baby Hermione. Before there ever was a baby Harry was happy, you having his sprog just added to that happiness.”

Hermione smiled and said.

“Well I’m glad that someone thinks he didn’t just marry me for propriety’s sake.”

Ron frowned.

“Has someone said something? Did Ginny start in on you again?”

Hermione shook her head.

“No one’s said anything but you know as well as I do that once the press gets wind of this that’s the first thing they’re going to say…”

Ron interjected.

“Oh who gives a sod what those wankers think! Anyone who knows Harry can see how he feels about you.”

“Oh really and what is it that they see.”

“That he’s in love…”

Ron paused to spare a glance at Hermione. She was staring at him with a quizzical sort of half frown obscuring her face. Before she could interrupt him Ron went on.

“Do you remember the night Harry got back from Transylvania; you and Ginny’d had another one of your spats earlier in the evening and Harry’d done his hero bit and saved the day by getting you smiling again. Right before you two shoved off I asked him how things were going between you and he said something I’d never heard him say before…”

Ron paused again to make sure that he had Hermione’s full attention, seeing that he did he went on.

“He said that he was happy…and he truly meant it. I’d never heard him say that before and know that he truly meant it, not even when he was with Ginny. So don’t you worry yourself one bit about what the rest of the world thinks. Harry loves you…I’m certain of it.”

As Ron ended his little speech tears welled up in Hermione’s eyes for the second time. Seeing that she was near tears again Ron shook his head and magicking a dry handkerchief said.

“Make yourself presentable before your husband gets back.”

Before he could stand to leave Hermione threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. Leaning away she planted a teary kiss to his cheek and smiling through a veil of tears said.

“You Ronald Bilius Weasley are an absolute dear, no one could ask for a better friend and I love you tremendously!”

Ron’s entire face reddened as he shrugged and kissed Hermione softly on the cheek and answered in reply.

“Yeah…well…I’m rather fond of you as well.”

Hermione smiled at Ron’s blushing awkwardness. Straightening to his full height, Ron strode to the door and stepped across the threshold and admonished.

“Remember…the black one…nice view of your top bits and all that.”

With a wink of his eye and a naughty grin Ron closed the door and tromped off down the hall. Hermione shook her head and laughed to herself before laying the black dress across the bed and heading off to the bath for a quick shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry arrived back at the Burrow with Robert and Helen Granger holding on to either side of him. Keeping in mind that neither Robert nor Helen had any idea that he was now their son-in-law Harry elected to apparate to the Weasley’s front gate. Upon making sure that he hadn’t inadvertently spliched either of his wife’s parents and prying his mother-in-law’s finger nails out of his forearm Harry sent out a plea to Ron for help via Legilimency. Harry hastily informed Ron of his predicament with his in-laws as they ambled up to the front gate. Just as the gate swung open Ron rushed out the front door with Luna in tow.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger, good to see you again, mum’ll be so pleased you made it…you remember my wife Luna don’t you.”

“Ahh…Ron so good to see…it’s been ages since you last paid us a visit!”

Robert Granger vigorously pumped Ron’s proffered hand. Helen smiled at her husband’s words and added.

“Robert’s quite right you are long overdue for a visit. And it was ever so kind of your mother to think of inviting us.”

Ron was about to respond when Luna chuckled merrily and interjected by saying.

“Kind indeed…it would have been the height of rudeness for Molly to throw Harry and Hermione a wedding reception and not to invite the bride’s parents!”

Luna descended into giggles as her words touched the ears of Robert and Helen Granger. Harry winced visibly and lowered his head while Ron threw him a helplessly apologetic glance. Harry stood with his head bowed waiting for what was to come next. The only sound was that of Luna’s merry giggles which stopped abruptly when she caught sight of Ron’s pained expression and the Grangers’ bewildered ones. Luna turned to Harry and said.

“Merlin, they had no idea you and Hermione have wed…”

Luna shook her head reproving and tsked before adding.

“Honestly Harry you’ve got to start being more sensible…you’re to be a father soon…”

Harry’s head snapped up as he glared disbelievingly at Luna. Ron slapped a hand to his forehead and groaned.

“Luna darling would you shut it please!”

Robert Granger who had been quite dumbfounded before suddenly found his voice.

“Married…to be a father…young lady are you saying that my daughter…that my little girl…my poppet is going to…that she’s having…that she’s pre…pre…pre…”

“Daddy the word is pregnant and the answer is yes.”

At the sound of Hermione’s voice everyone’s attention moved to the Burrow’s front door. Harry gasped audibly as he took in the sight of his wife. Hermione stood in the doorway, her hair was done up in an elegant knot. A few tendrils had escaped and hung framing her face which bore the slightest hint of makeup. As was customary for her now her skin held a luminous glow that rendered her absolutely stunning. But it was not any of this that so captivated Harry’s attention. What held Harry spellbound was the dress she was wearing. It was an unadorned black frock that stopped about mid-length. There was absolutely nothing special about the dress save for the way it managed to cling to Hermione’s shapely curves and the fact that the low-cut neckline did a masterful job of displaying her perfectly rounded breasts to their full advantage. Robert and Helen Granger rushed to their daughter’s side and hastily began quizzing her. Her mother asked disbelievingly.

“Hermione you’re married!?”

Robert bellowed stridently.

“And pregnant…don’t forget pregnant! Merciful heavens! My daughter married and pregnant!!”

Hermione replied serenely.

“Yes Mum I am…Daddy try not to overexcite yourself…”

Robert Granger interjected forcefully.

“Try not to overexcite myself…why in God’s name would I be overexcited in the least…that is to say I’ve only just shown up to a dinner party that turns out to be a wedding reception, a wedding that your mother and I knew nothing about mind, for my apparently pregnant daughter and her new husband…why in blooming hell would I be overexcited about such wonderful as that!!!!”

Helen Granger patted her husband’s hand.

“Robert dear let’s just take a deep breath and give them a chance to explain.”

As her mother attempted to force her father into a more calm state of mind Hermione turned her attention to her own husband. She planned on giving him what for over having left her to answer all her parents’ queries alone, but one look at his flushed face and his utterly stupefied expression gave her pause. Hermione covered the distance separating her from Harry in a few scant steps, laying her hand against his cheek she said.

“Merlin Harry are you alright? You’re flushed and your breathing is…”

Harry interrupted her query.

“You’re gorgeous!”

Hermione ceased her inspection of her husband and asked in confusion.

“What?”

Harry gestured towards her dress and muttered emphatically.

“You look bloody stunning!”

Ron grinned and said.

“Told you he’d like the black one!”

Hermione was about to tell Ron to sod off when suddenly an image of herself still clad in the black dress she was wearing pressed against a wall as Harry alternately caressed and sucked her breasts while repeatedly burying himself inside her silken folds. Blushing furiously Hermione replied to Harry’s lascivious invitation with a pointed “Later”. She then redirected his attentions to the more immediate matter of her parents. With a nod of his head Harry stepped forward.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger you mustn’t be upset with Hermione, all of this is my doing…”

Robert Granger mumbled.

“You don’t say.”

Helen arched her eyebrow and cast a familiarly reproving glance at her husband. Hermione cut in.

“It’s not just your doing Harry it’s our doing.”

Helen queried her daughter.

“When did all of this take place?”

Hermione proceeded to tell her parents the abbreviated version of her unexpected pregnancy and the mental dilemma she silently dealt with. Both her mother and father said they wished she’d confided in them but they seemed to understand her desire to speak with Harry first. Hermione then went on to explain Harry’s arrival home and the rather fumbling manner in which she told him the news. It was then Harry’s turn to explain that the suddenness of the marriage was a result of his impatience. As the proposal story was told again b Helen Granger was in tears. Harry concluded by saying.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger I know I’ve done things bang out of order but I couldn’t wait another second to make your daughter my wife. I hope you’ll both be able to find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

Robert Granger cleared his throat and said.

“Forgive you…that’s not likely”

Harry frowned in disappointment as Robert continued.

“What would I be forgiving you for loving my daughter? Oh no, we’re family now Harry and you’ll find that means no apologies are necessary.”

Harry smiled and nodded with relief as he mumbled “Thank you, sir”.

It was Robert’s turn to frown disappointedly. Striding over to where Harry stood he wrapped an arm about his new son-in-law’s shoulders and said.

“You’re really going to have to stop all this sir business, how about we try something more familial eh…how does Mum and Dad sound?”

Harry grinned as he replied.

“Mum and Dad, I rather like the sound of that.”

Hermione beamed as she watched the two most important men in her life bonding. Helen Granger wiped at an errant tear before she rushed over and wrapped Harry in a warm embrace.

“Oh this is just wonderful I couldn’t be happier!”

Luna smiled dreamily as Ron spoke.

“I hate to break up this er…ummm…touching moment but we’ve got a house full of people waiting to congratulate you two.”

Robert smiled and said.

“Ron’s right we best get inside.”

And with that said the group of six entered the Burrow to kick off the festivities.

11. Honeymooning


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 9: Honeymooning

Hermione was knackered. As she and Harry apparated into the living room of their flat the only thing she wanted was to climb into bed and sleep for several days. It had been a long, tiring and eventful day. First of all had been Hermione's excitement over her elopement with Harry. Then there was of course the revelation of their new status to the Weasleys, the rather perturbing moment with Ginny, Harry mucking up telling the news to her parents, and last but certainly not least Molly's reception.

Molly had truly outdone herself. It seemed that everyone they knew had turned out to wish them well. Of course their family had been there; the entire Weasley clan, her parents, Remus and Tonks and Hagrid (who wouldn't stop howling over how wonderful their being married was). But so had many of their friends. Neville, Dean and Seamus were there along with Lavender and Pavrati. All of the Horntails were there as were most of Hermione's colleagues. Several of their Hogwarts professors had turned out including Headmistress McGonagall and professors Slughorn and Trelawney. There were even a few notable surprises in the bunch, Patrick Belby and Viktor Krum had both heard the news and dropped by to extend their best wishes to the happy couple. With such a gathering the newlyweds had been required to repeat the proposal and wedding stories endlessly much to the displeasure of Ginny Weasley who spent most of the evening in a corner of the living room glaring nastily at anyone who dared speak to her. Needless to say it made the evening quite unending for Ginny's beau of the moment, Marcus Gladdington. Hermione imagined that it must be awful to have to spend the entire evening with someone who was auditioning for the role of the World's Most Biggest Shrew but her concern over Marcus' plight was soon forgotten as she was altogether too happy to concern herself with Ginny's childish behavior.

Hermione made her way into the kitchen to put away the mountain of food that Molly had insisted they bring. She was actually surprised that there had been anything left to bring home considering how much Ron had eaten. As she moved to the cooler Crookshanks rubbed against her legs and purred while Hedwig hooted beseechingly. Hermione nodded as she mumbled a tired “Alright”. With a wave of her wand she opened the kitchen window and watched as cat and owl disappeared into the night in search of their evening's entertainment. After quickly depositing the hamper of food in the cooler Hermione headed for the bedroom intent on crawling beneath the covers and perhaps sleeping for a fortnight or so when she felt Harry's arms circling her waist. His voice was low and husky as he whispered in her ear.

“Where are you off to Mrs. Potter?”

Hermione smiled at hearing Harry call her Mrs. Potter. Leaning back fully into his arms she replied.

“I am off to bed for a nice long kip Mr. Potter.”

With a grin that was evident n his voice as he spoke Harry replied.

“Bed eh…excellent idea Mrs. Potter, excellent idea…all except for that kipping part!”

Having uttered those words Harry swung Hermione up into his arms and hurried off down the hall to the bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Harry walked through the doors of Auror Headquarters he was met by tumultuous applause. It seemed that every single witch and wizard in the employ of the department had turned out to greet him. As he made his way to the cluster of cubicles in the back of the office that served as the Horntails assigned area Harry repeatedly had his hands wrung and his back slapped as he was congratulated over and over again. Several of the witches in the department (the ones who were already spoken for themselves) gave him hugs and pecks on the cheek as they told him not to hesitate to call on them should he and Hermione need anything. A request rose up from the throng for the full story of the elopement and Harry having grown accustomed to the request over the last twenty-four hours rattled off the tale in quite fine a fashion. News of the baby seemed to shock only a few in the assemblage. Harry and Hermione had guessed that most of wizarding society would guess the reason for their sudden tying of the knot so they'd agreed to just be forthcoming from the start. That and the fact that they suspected between Luna's overt bluntness and Lavender Brown and Pavrati Patil's knack for gossip the story would be all over London by the time they'd made it home to their flat. Once he'd finished the story Harry thanked everyone for their well wishes and made his way to his own desk, where he received quite possibly the biggest shock he could have imagined. There standing beside his desk looking sorely out of place was none other than Agamenous Melbourne. Harry stood stock still a clear expression of skeptical incredulousness washing over his features. Melbourne pasted on a smile that looked as though it was causing him great pain to attempt and said in a booming voice.

“Well done, Potter…”

Melbourne paused for a beat before adding.

“Quite a respectable thing you've done…wedding the mother of your unborn child…very admirable gesture.”

Harry replied through gritted teeth.

“Yes well my wife and I are quite in love the happy news of the baby is just an added bonus.”

Melbourne pasted on that wretched smile once again and added in a skeptical tone.

“Of course, of course…”

Melbourne's voice trailed off as he cleared his throat and continued on by saying.

“Considering the change in your lifestyle Potter, I expect you need a bit of time to get your affairs in order, to that end I've spoken with Minster Artaxerxes and he's agreed to allow you four weeks off to set things to rights.”

Harry ran a hand through his hair as he pondered why Melbourne would do something for him that appeared to be a gesture of kindness. The man hated him surely he had some other motive. Harry composed his face in what he hoped was a non-suspicious expression and said.

“That's very kind of you but there truly isn't much of anything to set in order and I can ill afford to be away just now what with this case I'm working on…”

Melbourne interjection.

“Nonsense, Potter if nothing else I'm certain your new bride would appreciate a few days of a honeymoon and as for that trifle of a case I've reassigned that matter to Torrington's squad.”

Harry's eyes narrowed in anger, now he knew exactly what Melbourne was up to, he was trying to get him off the case. David Torrington could barely catch a cold so it was a complete wonder to Harry how in bloody hell Melbourne expected him to apprehend some dark wizard who was possibly a disciple of Voldemort. Harry took a deep breath and tried to speak in a respectful tone.

“Sir, again, it's most kind of you to offer me the time off but Hermione and I think it best to wait until after the baby's born to worry about honeymoon's and such…and as we'd both likely go a bit nutters if we had to sit round the house for a full month. I think it best for us both to keep as busy as we can. And it'd be unfair to throw all this off on Torrington when he's no idea what's going on.”

Melbourne waved a hand dismissively.

“It has already been decided Potter, Torrington has been given the file…your squad has been reassigned…and as of this moment you have been officially relieved of duty.”

A truly satisfied smirk swathed Melbourne's face as he added.

“Now then, why don't you head down to the Department of Mysteries, where I'm certain you'll find the newly dubbed Mrs. Potter has likewise been released from duty. Once again Potter my heartiest congratulations to you.”

With that said Melbourne turned and strode off towards his office a definite bounce evident in his step. Harry barely had a chance to process what he'd just been told before the aurors in his command descended upon him asking what in the name of Merlin was going on. He did his best to calm them and asked them to just go along with things as they were until he could sort out what to do next. He then collected a few essentials from his desk and headed to Hermione's office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione was seated behind her desk going over a to do list with her assistant Daphne Greenfendle when the door that led to the hall banged open as Harry stormed in, slammed the door shut and bellowed.

“I JUST WANTED YOU AND OUR UNBORN CHILD TO KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU BOTH AND I'M TRULY SORRY FOR GETTING LANDED IN AZKABAN FOR MURDERING THAT ARSE MELBOURNE!!!!”

Startled at the vehemence of his tirade Daphne let out a frightened yelp as she jumped right out of her seat and bumped into the desk causing the brass and pewter inkwell that resided there to overturn. A multi-colored river of ink began to creep across Hermione's desk. Daphne flashed an apologetic look to Hermione who smiled understandingly and with a wave of her hand cleared away the mess and said.

“That will be all Daphne.”

The younger brunette witch nodded then exited through the side door. Hermione waited until she heard the clicking of the closed door before getting to her feet and responding to her husband.

“Your unborn child and I want you to know that we love you as well but you will not be spending one day in Azkaban because you will not be murdering Melbourne no matter what he's done.”

Harry eyed Hermione and said.

“That's easy for you to say considering you've no idea what he's just done!”

Hermione, who'd, made her way across the room to stand beside Harry looped her arms about his waist and with a gentle tug and lowered them both to the couch before she answered back.

“Actually I know precisely what he's done. He's just given you an entire month off so that we can go on a honeymoon…Moore was in here earlier telling me all about the wonderfully thought gesture Melbourne was extending to you. Which would only work if Dalton did the same for me…wouldn't be much of a honeymoon with only the groom now would it? Undoubtedly you've come to the realization that this seemingly kind act was just a ploy of Melbourne's to get you from under foot. And now you're trying to suss out a way to get around Melbourne's plotting.”

Harry's face registered a moment of shock before he nodded his agreement to what Hermione had just said.

“He gave the case to Torrington! Everybody knows what an idiot he is, it's a wonder the dolt even got through aurors' training. Kingsley or Tonks would have been the logical choice seeing as they'd both been briefed on the case already! But oh no that bleeding sod gives it to Torrington to muck up! I tell you Hermione it's almost like he's trying to intentionally sabotage this case! I mean honestly, does he really hate me that much!”

Hermione patted Harry's arm affectionately.

“Well given that you did undermine his authority with Minster Artaxerxes I suppose he imagines this as some sort of payback…”

Harry interjected.

“Hermione this goes well beyond one-upping me for subverting his authority…its almost as if Melbourne is trying to hide something…but as I've been relieved of duty chances of my finding out if that is the case just dropped down to squat!”

Hermione laid her head in the crook of Harry's neck and cooed.

“Is the idea of a whole month off spent in my company really that repulsive to you?”

Harry frowned.

“Hermione, love, its not that I wouldn't love to take the time off and spend it with you but …”

Harry's words disappeared amid a sharp intake of breath. Hermione had slid her delicate hand down his chest and was now gently massaging his thickening manhood. As she placed soft kisses along his jaw line she spoke in a husky whisper.

“Let's look at this sensibly…Melbourne has usurped your case quite completely. If you refuse the time off or go to Minster Artaxerxes and accuse Melbourne of something untoward you look like the fanatic he's always accused you of being. But if you take the month off and take your gorgeous wife on a fantastic honeymoon to Greece, where she always wanted to go, perhaps you can do a bit of investigating in between snoggings.”

By now Hermione had made her way onto Harry's lap as she slowly drew his lips to hers in a passionate kiss. Harry tangled his fingers in Hermione's hair and pulling her head closer to his and deepened the kiss. Their tongues clashed frantically for several minutes before they parted. Harry smiled as he spoke.

“Greece eh…gods I love the way your mind works.”

Hermione smiled as well.

“I am rather brilliant aren't I.”

Harry nodded as he leaned forward and while nuzzling Hermione's neck cast synchronized silencing and locking charms. He then slipped his hands beneath Hermione's robes and cupping her backside said.

“You're also sexy as all bloody hell.”

Harry slipped his hands inside Hermione's knickers as he sucked passionately at her neck. A tiny moan escaped her lips as she panted out.

“Harry we're in my office.”

With a mischievous smile Harry turned and pulling Hermione beneath him said.

“I know.”

-->

12. Jealous Women and Photographs


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 10: Jealous Women and Photographs

Harry and Hermione arrived in Athens, Greece a scant twelve hours after the Ministry had given them leave. Ever the planner, Hermione, having guessed what Melbourne was up to and knowing how Harry would react had taken it upon herself to begin scheduling their “holiday” immediately. That was what she had been up to with Daphne when Harry came raging into her office. In the slight three quarters of an hour that it had taken for the newly wedded Potters to report to work and be dismissed from it Hermione had managed to plan and book a full month's worth of activities in Greece. When Harry inquired as to how she had managed such a feat Hermione informed him that while she had wanted to go to Greece for quite sometime and so she naturally had some basic idea of what they would and could do most of it was thanks to him. It seemed that saying the name Harry Potter could get you nearly anything in the wizarding world.

And so it was that the happy couple was off to Greece for a month-long holiday in seemingly no time. As they were both high profile Ministry of Magic employees it was standard procedure that they submit a timetable of their planned trip in the event that they should be needed. Harry took great pleasure in the look of annoyance on Melbourne's face when he saw where Harry and Hermione were off to. Harry made sure to say to the entire auror division in very loud tones how much he was looking forward to going back to Greece. Consequently, after firmly shaking Melbourne's hand as he thanked him for giving him the time off, he had exited the offices with a huge grin on his face.

Harry and Hermione elected to let everyone think they would only be off honeymooning. They thought that fewer people, who knew what they were up to the better. They knew that Hermione's parents and Molly would only worry if they knew what the two were really up to. But they had told Ron because they needed someone they could relay information to without it looking suspicious. Since Ron had been their best friend since the age of eleven it was a certainty that no one would find it strange his receiving correspondence from them, to the contrary it would be expected that they would send occasional letters to him telling of their trip. There was no danger of any correspondence they sent being interpreted as the three had long ago devised a code for writing each other seemingly innocuous letters that could only be decoded by one of the three of them. They often amused themselves by speaking in their coded language whenever they wanted to discuss people and events when others were attempting to listen. It was immensely funny to watch the confused faces of eavesdroppers as they struggled to guess what the threesome could be talking about. Beyond having an excuse to resurrect their code there was of course the added bonus that having once been an auror himself Ron would be able to come to their aid should they have need of him and Harry rather liked having Ron's gifted strategic mind at the ready. So with their plan firmly in place the newlyweds set off for Greece.

Upon arriving in Athens Harry and Hermione had checked into the Grand Athenaeum Exarcheion Hotel's Andromeda Suite and not come back out for three full days. When Hermione had questioned Harry about his overtly amorous attentions, though she was careful to make it clear that she was not complaining; Harry had explained that he was merely keeping with their cover story of the trip just being a honeymoon. They emerged on the fourth day and acted the part of a young couple in love enjoying the sites of a foreign city, taking a walking tour of Central Athens, Kerameikos and Psirri. According to the guide books the tour was supposed to last only three hours but Hermione's penchant for knowing far more about any subject than was practically necessary meant their tour drug on for an additional two hours. They made it back to the hotel just in time for a quick shower and change before they headed off for a night of dancing and clubbing in Psirri.

The remainder of that week and the first half of their second week were spent in much the same way. Their days were filled with sightseeing and tours of both the Muggle and Wizarding varieties and lounging on the pristine beaches surrounding the hotel. They went out dancing or to posh restaurants. And they spent untold hours shopping for their friends and family. One entire afternoon was spent in a dusty old wizarding bookshop that caught Hermione's eye. She bought so many books that Harry made her swear to buying no more books of any kind owing to the fact that they'd have to rent out another suite just to accommodate them. On several occasions they even jetted off to some of the more secluded Greek Isles for a bit of time away from the prying eyes of the wizarding press and if Harry's guess was right, Melbourne's spies.

The next week and a half was spent in much the same fashion as its predecessor. Or so it appeared. Outwardly, the newlyweds seemed to be enjoying their honeymoon quite a bit. No one could have guessed that the two were actually more or less only playing the part of the happy newlyweds enjoying their respite from their day to day lives. In addition to the grand time, they were having Harry, Hermione were also doing quite a bit of intelligence gathering, and spying interspersed with their other activities.

Their days in the Order of the Phoenix and during their search for Voldemort's horcruxes had allowed Harry and Hermione to amass quite an assortment of magical methods of information gathering. Additionally, Hermione's contacts through Europe often proved to be quite useful in discreet circumstances. Add in Harry's profession as an auror through which he had accrued a collection of somewhat insalubrious associates who would be quite capable of getting him any information he needed and some he probably didn't. Before they had left London, Harry had made certain to contact several of his varied acquaintances to call in some owed favors.

And so it was on the Thursday morning of the second week of their honeymoon over a breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, rolled sliced ham, croissants, cheese filled pastries, tea and coffee that Harry received an owl. After reading the note and scrawling a quick reply, Harry announced.

“Ron's made contact with that old informant of ours, Kazimir Volta, you remember the Russian bloke, seems he works in the commerce department with the Bulgarian Ministry now…”

Harry paused and waited for Hermione to nod her head in recollection before he continued.

“Well looks like he knows a mutual friend of mine and Ron's, who happens to be in Yugoslavia's auror division and is willing to get a copy of the original reports about this case that prompted the Yugoslavian ministry to contact us. Ron set up a meeting with them this afternoon for lunch in the hotel café.”

Harry finished his sentence and picking up a pastry took a huge bite just as Hermione asked.

“Who's this mutual friend that you, Ron and this Volta, did you say his name was have in common?”

In what he hoped was an offhand tone Harry answered.

“Aleksandra.”

Following the enunciation of the name Harry dropped his gazed back to the food before him and began to chew his pastry, eggs and ham vigorously. Hermione stopped in mid sip and lowered her cup of tea back to its saucer as she inquired further.

“Did you say Aleksandra, as in Aleksandra Cernunnos?”

Harry nodded and said in a would be casual tone.

“Yeah, Aleksandra Cernunnos, you remember her don't you, from the auror exchange program.”

Hermione nodded, she remembered Ms. Cernunnos quite well, quite well indeed. It was hard to forget a witch like that. Not long after Harry and Ron had become aurors, the British Ministry of Magic in conjunction with several other European Ministries had instituted the Auror Exchange Program where wizards could be sent to train and work in other countries. Aleksandra Cernunnos had been one of the first applicants. The buxomly statuesque dark haired, gray-eyed Bulgarian witch made quite a splash when she waltzed into the Ministry. She caught the eye of every wizard she walked past although Hermione surmised that was mostly to do with the fact that she looked as though she had poured herself into everything she wore. That combined with the dark liner she wore to accentuate her smoky gray eyes, the blood red lipstick she slathered across her full pouty lips and the stiletto heels she wore with everything made for quite the eye-catching combination.

A new recruit with a notable degree of talent in the area of defense against the dark arts Aleksandra was placed in the same unit alongside Harry and Ron. She immediately set her sights on Harry using her ample womanly attributes to garner his interest and as Harry was at the time quite agreeable to such distractions of the type that Aleksandra provided, the two became an item in a relatively short time. Aleksandra and Ron got on quite well. Maybe it was because they were in the same auror's unit or that they shared several common interests outside of work. Although Hermione also supposed that it was more likely that it was because Ron was male and thus subject to Aleksandra's dubious charms. Aleksandra had never got on with Hermione well at all. It seemed that the two always found themselves at opposing ends of everything. Aleksandra never fully understood the closeness of the friendship that existed between the threesome thus she thought Hermione too involved in Harry and Ron's lives. For her part, Hermione never liked Aleksandra in the least. She thought she was an oversexed slag whose only true interest in Harry lay in his celebrity and between his legs. So Hermione was more than pleased to see Aleksandra back off to Bulgaria and out of Harry's life. Although she would later learn that Harry and Aleksandra had seen each other off and on over the next year or so following Aleksandra's departure from London to appease their appetites for one another.

Harry eyed his wife carefully as she sat half frowning, half-scowling at the cup of tea she had been drinking from. Knowing she had never been fond of Aleksandra Harry wondered if the news of his ex (so to speak) turning up had upset her. Harry asked.

“Everything alright love?”

Hermione looked up and pasted on a smile before answering.

“I'm fine sweetie, why do you ask?”

Harry shrugged.

“Well, I know you've never exactly been friendly with Aleksandra…and…well…I thought you might be…be….not too keen on seeing her.”

Hermione quirked an eyebrow and replied.

“Well no, she is not on my list of people who I simply must catch up with but she's nothing for me to be fussed about either.”

Harry smiled and nodded a look of relief flooding his face. Hermione returned the smile and patted Harry's hand. Feeling the situation was resolved Harry returned to his breakfast. Hermione retrieved her cup and sipped her tea, as Harry, now engrossed in the latest headlines of the local wizarding paper failed to see the look of annoyance marring his wife's face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was sitting quietly at the hotel bar sipping on a bit of Slyfaeen Algerian brandy when a sultry, throaty voice called out to him.

“My darling Harry you are looking vonderful as alvays.”

Sitting his drink down Harry turned and saw Alexandra Cernunnos standing a foot away. Her voluptuous curves were enveloped in a tightly sculpted red halter dress that clung to her body like a second skin. Her smoky gray eyes were outlined in thick black liner that made them appear darker and more intriguing than they were naturally, and as ever her full and pouty lips were colored a deep blood red. Aleksandra's lips curved upwards into a smile as she sexily slunk across the short distance separating her from Harry and throwing her arms about his neck and hugged him in such a manner that every inch of their bodies were touching. Aleksandra whispered in Harry's ear.

“It's so very good to see you Harry.”

Harry replied.

“It's nice to see you again as well Alek.”

Aleksandra flashed a bright smile before leaning in to give Harry a kiss. Harry turned his head so that Aleksandra's kiss landed on his cheek instead of her intended target, his lips. As the peck ended, a male voice sounded from behind them.

“Ah, Aleksandra there you are…”

Aleksandra stepped out of her embrace with Harry and walked over to a stocky dark haired wizard with beady black eyes, thin pale lips and an exceedingly prominent nose. Aleksandra grabbed the wizard by the hand and said.

“Kazimir, come, you are acquainted with Harry, yes.”

Kazimir Volta drew himself up as if someone had just placed a rod down his back and took Harry's extended hand. Shaking it firmly he said.

“It is a pleasure to see you again Harry. I was unaware that you and Aleksandra knew each other so intimately…she speaks very highly of you and your…ah…hem…wandsmanship.”

Aleksandra smiled seductively as she let go of Volta's hand. She took two quick steps over to Harry and wrapped her arms snugly around his waist; molding her body to his She nuzzled his cheek affectionately and said in her husky timbre.

“Hmmm…Harry has alvays been most talented.”

As the words left Aleksandra's mouth, her lips turned up in a seductive smile. Just then, Hermione's voice floated across the room.

“Yes, Harry is extraordinarily talented with a wand.”

Harry, Aleksandra and Kazimir all directed their attention to Hermione. Harry immediately set about disentangling himself from Aleksandra's grasp; not wanting Hermione to think he was a willing participant in Aleksandra's overly friendly embrace. Though she hadn't said anything directly Harry knew that Hermione despised Aleksandra and he didn't his wife thinking he wanted the attentions of any woman other than her. Harry shook off Aleksandra and started towards his wife but Kazimir with an appraising smile on his face rushed forward and grasped Hermione's hand brought him up short as he said in what can only be described as a seductive whisper of a tone.

“Ahh…you must be Her-my-oh-nee.”

Kazimir lifted Hermione's hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. Aleksandra answered.

“Yes Kazimir, this is Hermione Granger, Harry's…”

Hermione cut in halting Aleksandra's words though her response was directed towards Volta.

“Potter…Hermione Potter…”

Pausing for effect Hermione raised her gaze to the woman's who had moments before been wrapped around her husband and finished off.

“Harry and I are married.”

Kazimir Volta smiled in open appreciation as he took in Hermione's curvaceous figure. The blue wrap around dress she'd donned for lunch while loose and free flowing somehow managed to cling to her curves nonetheless. Not to mention the fact that it showed what Harry believed to be her two best assets, her full firm breasts and her long shapely legs, to their fullest advantage. Volta spoke, his admiration of Hermione evident in his voice.

“I am enchanted to make your acquaintance Mrs. Potter.”

Once again, Volta kissed the back of Hermione's hand. Hermione smiled easily and replied.

“The pleasure is mine Mr. Volta.”

“Please call me Kazimir.”

Volta squeezed Hermione's hand as he made his entreaty, to which she nodded and smiled in acquiescence to before slipping her hand from his and strutting enticingly over to Harry. Hermione slipped into Harry's arms with ease, wrapping her own arms around his neck she pressed her body fully against his and drew his lips down to her own. As their lips met, Harry lost track of everything around him save the feel of Hermione's soft lips and nimble tongue dancing against his own. The kiss barely lasted long enough for Harry to take in the fact that Hermione Jane Granger-Potter of the “Public displays of affection are the height of bad taste” school of thought had just snogged him quite thoroughly in a very public place.

As they drew apart, Harry was aware of the flicker of camera flashes exploding like fireworks around them. Hermione smiled up at him and asked.

“Miss me love?”

Not trusting himself to speak at that moment Harry responded by wrapping his arms tightly about her waist and pulling her flush against him as he nodded impassively. A wicked smile crept across Hermione's face as she felt Harry's apparently instant arousal lying against her abdomen. Leaning up she kissed him softly and in carrying whisper said “Later”. She then turned and greeted Aleksandra.

“Aleksandra, you're looking well.”

Aleksandra's mouth dropped open as her words seemingly tripped over her tongue in her haste to get them out.

“You and Harry are married?”

Hermione nodded as an excited giggle burst from her as she held out the stonking diamond and emerald engagement ring and matching band that adorned the fourth finger of her left hand and answered in a giddy voice.

“Yes, this is our honeymoon.”

Kazimir walked over, slipping an arm around Aleksandra's waist, and cried in a booming voice.

“Congratulations! This calls for a celebration, come I know just the thing!”

With that, said Kazimir ushered Harry, Hermione and Aleksandra through the lobby and out the doors of the hotel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry sat around the table that occupied a corner of the small kitchen of Kazimir Volta's Greek flat. He pinched the bridge of his nose beneath his glasses and squeezed his eyes shut as he fought of the beginnings of a headache. For the past five hours, he'd been relentlessly pouring over all of his notes journals and files from the case that Melbourne had booted him off of, along with copies of all the original files from the scenes of the disturbances in Transylvania, Romania and Yugoslavia. Aleksandra and Kazimir had discreetly used their various contacts to obtain copies of the originals at Harry's request. And as he had expected huge gaps of information about the goings-on were removed from the files before they'd been passed along to Harry and the other aurors. The only person who'd had access to the files had been Melbourne. This was proof that Melbourne was hiding something. The question was what. What was he so bent on keeping secret that he'd jeopardize innocent lives? What was more important than the oath he'd taken to protect the wizarding world? Harry stared at the piles of documents before and emitted a frustrated groan as he in chorus reached up and snatched off his glasses tossing them onto the report lying in front of him. Unexpectedly he felt a pair of feminine hands grasp his shoulders and began to massage the tension out of his tense and knotted shoulders. Aleksandra's voice drifted to his ears.

“You are, as you say, vinding yourself up.”

Harry knew that Alek was smiling, it was evident in her voice and though he appreciated the spirit of the gesture, he thought it unwise to allow such contact between him and a woman he knew so personally to continue with Hermione just across the room. Reaching up Harry removed Aleksandra's hands from his shoulders. Aleksandra took up the vacant seat next to Harry and with a frown said.

“So how long have you and Hermione been a couple?”

Harry picked up his square framed glasses and slipped them back on as he replied.

“Nearly a year, give or take two or three months.”

Aleksandra quirked an eyebrow.

“I had alvays suspected that Hermione had more than friendly feelings for you but I never guessed that you felt the same…”

She allowed her voice to trail off then added.

“I suppose it should have been expected, being that you vere friends for so long…”

Aleksandra glanced quickly across the room to where Hermione and Kazimir sat working on translating runes before she spoke again.

“Happiness looks good on you Harry.”

With that, Aleksandra leaned forward and softly brushed a kiss across lips. She then reached for one of the files lying on the kitchen table and asked.

“So, vhat have you found so far?”

As Harry and Aleksandra resumed their examination of the files, Hermione narrowed her eyes in consternation over the exchange she'd just witnessed between Harry and Aleksandra it was just like that trollop to throw herself at a married man. Harry was poring over the file intently when suddenly Aleksandra reached out and laid her hand in his lap. Hermione never heard the question Kazimir was asking her nor could she recall crossing the room, the only thing she was conscious of was standing beside Harry's chair glaring over at Aleksandra whose arm Harry was holding at the wrist. In her hand was clasped what appeared to be a photograph. Harry plucked the picture from Aleksandra's fingertips and studied it briefly before turning towards Hermione and saying.

“Love, can you make out what's in this picture? It's a touch blurry and I'm not too certain exactly what this is…does that look like a person to you?”

Harry rose from his seat and handed the picture to Hermione who set aside her anger momentarily and considered the photo Harry had just given her. Harry peered down at the picture as well concentrating hard on the blurred image before him. Kazimir and Aleksandra joined them and the quartet spent several unsuccessful minutes taping it with their wands in an effort to get a clearer image of the shadowy figure moving about the frame. Finally, Hermione called everything to a halt by saying.

“It's no use trying any spell that won't help…”

Hermione paused as three pairs of eyes met hers questioningly. After a beat, she continued on.

“Whatever is obscuring the individual in that picture's face is a part of the picture. I'm guessing that whoever took the picture did so without a flash for obvious reason and I suspect that considering that level of dark magic going on some sort of spell or enchantment was being performed so undoubtedly there was smoke of some kind. Thus the only way to see what's really in that picture is to use specialist equipment.”

Aleksandra frowned and asked.

“Specialist equipment…what do you mean specialist equipment?

Hermione rolled her eyes and wondered how in the name of Merlin's ghost such a twit had become an auror. Sighing she answered.

“I mean that we should consult a photographer.”

Kazimir smiled broadly, as he exclaimed.

“But of course, a photographer will have potions that can make the images in the picture clear…”

Hermione nodded as Kazimir turned to Harry and said.

“Your wife is as brilliant as she is beautiful comrade!”

Harry smiled proudly.

“I know.”

Following those pronouncements Hermione suggested that they send the picture off to Ron who would be able to get Colin Creevey, who worked as a photographer for Luna and her father at the Quibbler to take a shifty at it and see what could be done to straighten it out, everyone agree. Given the lateness of the hour, Harry thought it best that he and Hermione head back to their hotel. Hermione transfigured all the files and journals into a small compact and slipped into her purse while Harry made arrangements for he and Hermione to meet with Kazimir and Aleksandra in two days to discuss what they'd found out. The two then said their good nights and apparated back to their hotel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione emerged from the bath dressed in a white silk chemise to find her husband nestled beneath the covers of their bed hands behind his head staring at the ceiling in apparent deep contemplation. Wondering what he was thinking about, she called his name.

“Harry.”

At the sound of Hermione's voice Harry immediately directed his gaze to her he smiled as his eyes skimmed her beautifully rounded figure just visible beneath her loose chemise. He wondered if she was completely naked underneath. A leering smirk rose upon his countenance. Hermione saw the look and asked.

“Harry James Potter, why in heavens name are you staring at me like that?”

When she received no answer she called to him again.

“Harry?”

It was only after she called his name a second time that Harry realized that Hermione had in fact been asking him a question. Harry answered her question with a question.

“What's that love?”

Hermione rolled her eyes and repeated her question.

“Well I was going to ask what you'd been thinking of so intently but when you looked at me just now I got the impression that your thoughts had gotten rather lurid so I asked why you were staring at me like that.”

Harry nodded and replied with a simple “Oh”. He waited for several minutes before saying anything else.

“My thoughts were rather lurid just now…seeing you in that…”

Harry gestured towards Hermione's chemise.

“Got me wondering whether you were wearing knickers.”

Harry waggled his eyebrows at Hermione who was settling into bed next to him. She grabbed the nearest pillow and smacked him in the face with it. Harry quickly retaliated by rolling over on top of Hermione and pinning her underneath him where upon he began tickling her pitilessly. He continued his torture until Hermione breathlessly pleaded for mercy. Looking down at her flush face with her chemise bunched up around her upper thighs between which he was snugly nestled, Harry relented. Remembering there kiss earlier that day down in the hotel lobby Harry lowered his head and brought his lips to Hermione's in a slow passionate kiss.

As they kissed, they allowed their hands to roam across the familiar curves and peaks of each others bodies. When they drew apart both were breathing heavily. Hermione closed her eyes and exhaled slowly as if to steady herself. Harry smiled, rolled off her and said.

“I suppose we're even now.”

Hermione opened her eyes bereft at the loss of his warm body next to hers and quizzically asked.

“Even…what do you mean by that?”

Harry shrugged.

“Just that this kiss makes us even after that little stunt you pulled in the lobby today.”

Feigning innocence Hermione said.

“What stunt?”

Harry put on a simpering expression and in a voice that was vaguely reminiscence of her own he said.

Yes, Harry is extraordinarily talented with a wand.”

Harry paused then added.

“And then you who avoid public displays at all costs presses that delectable body of yours against mine and snogs me so thoroughly that I very nearly hauled your arse back up here for shag!”

It was Hermione's turn to shrug and say in an off hand manner.

“What I can't miss you?!”

Harry snorted and rolled his eyes.

“Bollocks…it wasn't missing me that got you carrying on…you were jealous.”

Hermione's eyes widen as she exclaimed.

“Jealous! What in Morganna's name would I have to be jealous of?”

“Aleksandra.”

Hermione sat bolt upright in bed and yelled.

“Me, jealous of that trampy twit, honestly!”

Harry raised an eyebrow and shrugged as Hermione continued her rant.

“I mean really what am I to be jealous over exactly, her overly made up face, or her tart-like attire or perhaps its her penchant for hanging all over married men and grabbing their crotches!”

Harry interjected coolly.

“She wasn't grabbing my crotch she was picking up the picture that fell out of the file.”

Hermione frowned and said.

“Like bloody hell she was…probably magicked the bloody thing there in the first place.”

Harry let out a shout of laughter.

“Love I think you're protesting too much.”

Hermione flumped back against her pillows and folded her arms.

“Alright so I was jealous but its hard not to be when I look at her and realize what you two once had...”

Harry cut in.

“Sex.”

Hermione frowned and muttered.

“What?”

Harry replied.

“You said you were jealous of what Aleksandra and I once had and I'm telling you it was sex…admittedly quite a lot of sex but nothing more than that.”

Hermione eyed him curiously as he went on.

“With Aleksandra it was only ever physical we never seemed to get any deeper than the shagging. To be honest she was always jealous of how close we were…”

Harry reached over and pulled hermione into his arms and whispered.

“You're the only woman who's ever owned me heart, mind, body and soul.”

Their lips met in a tender kiss that quickly turned passionate. Harry dropped his lips to Hermione neck and began kissing her ardently. His left hand cupped her right breast as he thumbed her nipple to a hardened peak. Hermione let out a moan of pleasure as she guided Harry's right hand down over her hips and between her legs. She leaned down and whispered in a husky voice “I'm not wearing any knickers” as she plunged Harry's fingers into her wet center. Hermione allowed the rest of the world to fade away as she lost herself to Harry's touch.

-->

13. Chapter 11: Discoveries and Disclosures


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 11: Discoveries and Disclosures

Harry walked into his hotel suite from his morning jaunt to order their late morning breakfast and collect the newspaper to find Hermione standing in the middle of the room completely starkers holding a bathing suit in each hand. Her otherwise lovely face was marred by a puckered brow and a grimace as she chewed her lower lip in that way she had whenever she was irritated over something. Hurriedly closing the door behind him Harry called out to her and asked.

“Love is there a reason that you're standing arsehole naked in the middle of the suite?”

“I've nothing to wear to the pool.”

Harry pursed his lips as he stared at the two bathing suits Hermione was holding and cautiously answered.

“Umm…Hermione, you're holding a bathing suit in each hand.”

Hermione replied in the sarcastic tone of voice that she usually reserved for persons she considered exceptionally daft and Ron.

“Well obviously neither of these fit.”

Hermione tossed the offending articles of clothing on the back of the sofa and striding over to the bed, retrieved her robe and slipped it on. Harry pulled a confused face as he mulled over what she'd just said before asking.

“How can they not fit when they're the same ones you've been wearing since we got here?”

Hermione presented him with an icy glare and responded angrily.

“They don't fit because I'm presently the size of a baby kelpie!”

Harry was about to ask Hermione what she was on about when he recalled the night of his and Hermione's reception. As the women sat round gushing about whatever it is women prattle on about when they're together the men had been instructing Harry on the finer points of being married to a pregnant woman. He'd received quite a lot of advice, more than half of it seemed dodgy considering that Fred and George were the sources of it but every man there had agreed upon one bit and that was never to let on that you thought she'd put on any extra weight. Apparently, one of the hormonal side effects of pregnancy was some form of delusional paranoia in which a woman fancies that she is the same size as a six-month old baby dragon and that she's no longer attractive. He was warned that this would be an on-going issue even when the woman in question wasn't pregnant and that the best recourse was to make her feel as desirable as possible. Harry repeated the thought to himself, make her feel as desirable as possible. Looking at Hermione standing there in a huff clad in only a flimsy robe an impish smile touch his mouth as he thought of where this all may lead and said.

“You are not the size of a baby kelpie. What on earth would make you say a thing like that?”

Hermione turned and looked at Harry as though she had never seen him before.

“What on earth would make me say a thing like that…hmmm…let me think…”

She paused for effect and then pointing at her stomach said.

“Oh I know…could it be that I look like I've swallowed a box of Fred and George's Engorging Edibles! I'm so huge I'm nearly bursting out of all my clothes and I honestly can't…”

Harry interposed.

“You have never been nor are you now huge…you're carrying our child…”

Harry walked up behind her and slipping his arms around her waist added.

“I thought that was supposed to be a beautiful experience.”

Hermione sighed.

“Carrying our child is a beautiful experience…it's also a very large experience…in fact it gets larger with each passing day.”

“Hermione you're barely showing at all. The press hasn't even caught on to the fact that you're pregnant.”

“Be that as it may, I still feel like…like…like some over blown up balloon.”

Harry reached up and unknotted Hermione's robe. He then drew it open and set about caressing her slightly rounded stomach with both his hands. As he caressed her he leaned down and kissing her neck lightly murmured.

“No you feel like heaven.”

Hermione opened her mouth to protest but instead of the words she had intended to speak a low guttural moan escaped her as Harry's hands shot upwards and covered her breasts which he immediately began kneading and squeezing. He took her nipples between his thumb and forefingers and began to roll them into hardened peaks. He left a trail of hot open-mouthed kisses from her collarbone to the sensitive spot just below her ear. As he nipped the spot near her ear he allowed one hand to slide down her slightly distended abdomen and into the neatly trimmed tangle of dark brown curls that covered her lovely wet heat before disappearing in between her silky lips. Harry slipped two fingers inside her warmth and pumped them slowly building up a steady rhythm. Hermione pressed her back into Harry's chest as she concurrently clenched her walls around his fingers urging him on in his attentions. Harry increased his pace until he felt Hermione's knees give way. Using his free hand to keep her upright he continued working her with his fingers until he felt the familiar contractions of her inner walls that alerted him to her climax. Hermione threw back her head and moaned thickly as her orgasm consumed her.

She leaned limply against Harry breathing deeply in an effort to collect herself but before she had barely drawn a second breath she was being lowered onto the bed and Harry's mouth was upon hers. He thrust his tongue into her mouth hungrily, eagerly sampling the sweetness of her. Hermione wrapped one arm around his back and ardently returned his kisses. With her other hand she ventured down his chest to the bulge tenting his swimmers. Harry released a ragged breath as her hand slithered inside and closed around his pulsating member. Hermione laid a hand to his chest and rolled him onto his back. Climbing atop him she straddled his waist and Harry tugged her robe from her shoulders and captured one of her erect nipples between his lips. Hermione arched her back and moaned as she pulled Harry's head closer to her chest. A muttered spell breathlessly fell from Hermione's lips and Harry's swimmers disappeared. Placing her hands on his shoulders she leveraged her body and in one succinct movement lowered herself onto his rock hard dick.

Harry pulled his lips away from her breasts and grabbed her waist. He at once began thrusting as Hermione ground her hips against him. The sound of their slick skin smacking against each other coupled with their wanton cries resounded about the room. Harry lay back on the bed and placed his feet firmly on the bed he then gripped Hermione's thighs and lifting her up slightly began to pump into her with his rigid length at a maddening pace. A string of encouraging epithets fell from Hermione's lips as Harry pistoned in and out of her. Suddenly she felt Harry stiffen beneath her, she leaned forward and rocked her hips, clenching her walls tighter around him. Harry called out her name as he furiously pumped into her several more times before he came. Hermione rode out the storm of his passion desperately trying to reach her own height for a second time. Harry reached out and began feverishly stroking Hermione's clit as she continued to grind against him until she was overcome by her second wave of passion of the morning.

Panting and gasping Hermione slumped forward onto Harry's chest, they lay their ensconced in each other's arms until their breathing resumed a more normal pattern. Once she could think properly again Hermione rolled off to Harry's side and snuggled closer to him, laying her head in the space between his head and shoulder. Harry gently ran his fingertips up and down the soft skin of Hermione's hip. In an awed whisper Hermione asked.

“Great Merlin's ghost, what brought that on?

Harry's answer was to kiss her gently. He lightly ran his tongue over her lips before slipping inside her mouth and kissing her slowly and sensually. It wasn't long before they were both aroused again. Hermione sucked in a breath of air as she felt Harry's hands begin to glide across her body while his lips dropped kisses across her neck and shoulders. Hermione drew his mouth back to hers and their lips met in a slow passionate kiss; as Hermione's hands caressed Harry's bare chest their tongues entwined in the sweetest and most intimate of dances. While the kiss deepened, Hermione wrapped her legs around Harry's waist and drew him closer to her. Harry groaned from sheer pleasure as he leisurely slipped inside her. His hands found hers and they intertwined as he moved above her in a gentle rhythm that was at once tender and intense. Harry made love to every single inch of Hermione, kissing and caressing her as he repeatedly slid in and out of her, whispering how beautiful and sexy she was the entire time.

Finally the sensations became too much and Hermione once more gave herself over to the orgasm that swept through her body. Harry buried himself deep inside her as she fell over the edge trembling and quivering beneath him calling out his name. As she climaxed Hermione's breathing came in quick shuddering gasps, the room began to spin at a dizzying pace and she was vaguely aware of Harry's final thrusts and the straining of the corded muscles of his back tautening beneath her fingertips and he crushed his lips to hers and spilled himself inside her. Slowly they drew apart. Harry rolled over onto his side and drew Hermione to his chest. Hermione wrapped her arms around her husband and they both drifted off into a much-deserved sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione stirred from her slumber with a satisfied smile covering her face. Eyes still closed she rolled over onto her back and stretched languorously. Her back arched gracefully off the bed as she released a content moan before snuggling back amongst the pillows. She intended to go back to sleep until she heard her husband's voice.

“Bloody hell Hermione, do that again and I'll have taken a shower for nothing.”

Opening her eyes, Hermione's smile grew wider as she drew her body off the bed perfectly imitating the arc her body had made when she'd stretched a few minutes earlier. Harry growled low in his throat as he stared down at Hermione's naked body. He was sorely tempted to crawl back into bed and shag her senseless but seeing as how he'd already done so twice that morning and the fact that Hermione had an appointment in the next twenty minutes, not to mention that they had to meet Kazimir and Aleksandra later on he thought it best to take a rain check. Harry leaned down and dropping a kiss on her lips said.

“You're a right bloody tease.”

“Who's teasing?”

Hermione reached up and wrapping her arms around Harry's neck kissed him. As the kiss intensified Hermione twined her fingers in the damp hair at the nape of Harry's neck. He in turn pulled her flush against him and relished in the feel of her soft skin against his. When breathing became an issue they parted. Harry pressed his forehead to hers and said.

“We'll finish this later...”

Hermione cut in jokingly.

“Why later, have you somewhere else to be Mr. Potter?”

Harry grinned.

“Me, not for a while yet, but you have an appointment with Madame Elisavet Agapios in ten minutes.”

Hermione opened her mouth to ask what Harry was talking about but he simply shook his head and said.

“I understand that she's very prompt and loathes being kept waiting so you best get a move on.”

A bemused Hermione allowed herself to be hustled off to the bath for a quick shower while Harry dressed and tidied up the suite.

Madame Elisavet Agapios was the wizarding world's premier designer. A muggleborn with a flair for fashion and an innovative knack for creating spells Madame Agapios made a name for herself by catering to the natural eccentricity of wizards. It didn't hurt that she invented a series of spells that made each of her extravagant one of a kind creations magically designed to fit only the witch or wizard for whom they were made. Madame Agapios further increased her celebrity by only agreeing to design the attire of a select few witches and wizards. She was just as likely to make dress robes for the Minister of Magic as she was for the shopkeeper at Flourish and Blotts. She was known for simply turning up and offering to whip up one of her designs without any explaination as to why she'd chosen to bestow her talents on the selected individual. As such she rarely honored requests and solicitations from outside sources. This combined with her knowledge of both muggle and wizarding fashions had made her a much sought after entity. It was considered quite a coup to find oneself in possession of one of her creations.

Hermione was blown away when she learned that Harry had expressly contacted the high profile stylist, who spilt her time between France and her native Greece, and commissioned her to make an entire wardrobe for her. Madame Agapios informed Hermione that she had been very happy to accommodate the legendary Harry Potter. She had responded to his owl immediately only pausing long enough to collect her best materials, summon her assistants and apparate to the Grand Athenaeum Exarcheion. Two hours after Madame Agapios' arrival Hermione had three new sets of robes as well as two new muggle outfits and two new swim suits. The remainder of the wardrobe was to be completed and delivered before Hermione and Harry returned to London. Considering the amount of galleons he'd spent Madame Agapios had insisted on designing several outfits for Harry as well. Harry had politely declined but she'd insisted saying that as the wizarding world's leading couple it wouldn't do for Hermione's wardrobe to outshine his. Reluctantly Harry had agreed and Madame Agapios had taken her leave of them with the promise of being in touch within the coming week.

Once Madame Agapios had gone Hermione inquired about the exorbitant amount of money that this little foray was undoubtedly costing Harry and why he'd bothered to have it done.

“Harry exactly how much is all this costing you and why did you think it necessary in the first place?”

Harry smiled.

“You know its quite tawdry to inquire about how much a gift costs and why it was given.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

“True though that may be, you know how I hate you spending gobs of galleons on me unnecessarily. I mean really Harry spending a sizeable amount of your fortune on clothes for me is utterly ridiculous.”

Harry smiled gave her a kiss on the cheek then suggested.

“You should put on that sea green spaghetti strapped sundress for our meeting with Kazimir and Aleksandra, you looked stunning in it when Madame Agapios was fitting you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The newlyweds arrived in the hotel's dining room a half hour later. Hermione had heeded her husband's suggestion and donned the sea green sundress with the spaghetti straps. On her feet she wore a pair of taupe strappy high-heeled sandals. Harry's jacket and slacks were nearly identical in color to Hermione's shoes and hung on his lithely muscled frame as though it had been made just for him. Actually it had. Elisavet (she'd insisted that the young couple refrain from calling her Madame Agapios) had sent the suit over by owl just as they'd begun getting ready. It seemed that she'd noticed Harry's approving gaze of Hermione in the sundress and thought it fitting that Harry wear something comparable. The white button down shirt and the caramel colored loafers he wore gave the suit a more casual feel that blended well with Harry's shadow of a beard and his ever-unruly locks.

Aleksandra and Kazimir were easy to sort out despite the fact that the dining room was quite large and packed near to bursting. The pair were seated at the bar holding court. Aleksandra was sipping a drink and batting her eyes coquettishly at every man within the vicinity. Harry smirked as he remembered how he'd seen Alek employ that very same trick to keep the liquor flowing without actually having to part with a galleon. Kazimir half-sat, half-stood on his barstool, his voice booming across the room as he captivated the witches and wizards around him with ones of his many adventures. An adventure, which Harry was certain, had been embellished beyond recognition. Harry was pulled from his meandering thoughts by Hermione's voice.

“Those two have to be the oddest couple I've ever seen. I mean honestly can you think of two people you could imagine together least?”

Harry regarded the pair again. Aleksandra in a tight white mini dress with matching stilettos and of course her trademark coal black eyeliner and bright red lipstick, unrestrainedly flirting with every wizard she saw. Kazimir, not exactly handsome by conventional standards but he possessed an air about him that drew people especially women to him; dressed in his black suit and dark grey shirt spinning a grand yarn as he surreptitiously eyed the witches in the room determining which one of them would wind up in his bed later that evening. Harry shrugged and replied.

“Actually they are much better suited to each other than anyone else I'd imagine.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow in astonishment.

“You really think so!”

Harry nodded.

“They've got loads in common those two…”

Harry held up his hand and began listing off the things Aleksandra and Kazimir had in common.

“They both love attention…they're both incredibly vain…they spend half their time thinking about shagging…and as they're both so…er…free thinking neither of them would mind the other's extra curricular activities outside the relationship.”

Harry finished off and Hermione chimed right in.

“So you're saying that Kazimir is a male version of Aleksandra.”

Harry nodded in affirmation as Hermione mumbled.

“That's a very disturbing thought.”

Harry grinned broadly and was about to comment on Hermione's garbled observation when Kazimir's booming voice let them know that they'd been noticed.

“HARRY! HERMIONE…THERE YOU ARE…COME…SIT…BARMAN...A BOTTLE OF YOUR BEST VODKA!!”

Nearly every head in the dining room turned in Harry and Hermione's direction as Kazimir waved them over to the bar with one hand while he waved his wand with the other and poured four shots of vodka. Harry took Hermione's hand and steered her through the watching crowd to the bar. As they came to a stop beside Kazimir who grinning broadly pulled Harry into a one-armed bear hug and pounded him forcefully on the back.

“Comrade, so good to see you again! Here…sit…drink!”

Kazimir shoved one of the shot glasses of vodka into Harry's hand before turning his attentions to Hermione. He gave her a broad smile as he took her hand in both of his and kissed the back of it. Hermione noticed the way his eyes traveled over her body leeringly in those view seconds before he raised his head and said.

“Enchanting to see you again, Hermione!”

Hermione returned Kazimir's smile and said “Likewise”. She threw a glance in Harry's direction to see him exchanging hellos with Aleksandra who had risen off her barstool so that Harry could place a chaste kiss on her cheek. Hermione's attention was drawn back to Kazimir when she felt something being pressed into her hand. Looking down she saw a shot glass as Kazimir said.

“Let us toast...to good friends and even better vodka!”

As Kazimir lifted his glass Hermione waved the barman over and handing him the shot glass asked for a sparkling water instead. Kazimir frowned and lowered his shot glass from his lips staring at Hermione in askance. Aleksandra smiled as she inquired.

“Not a drinker.”

Hermione resisted the urge to roll her eyes and replied serenely.

“Of occasion I have been known to partake, though I am not as fond of drink as you so obviously are…”

Hermione paused and allowed a smile to grace her features at the sight of Aleksandra's shock and outrage at being referred to as a drunkard before continuing on.

“But I'm presently unable to drink any alcohol owing to circumstances.”

As she finished off her sentence Hermione's eyes settled on Harry's. he took her hand and gave it a squeeze as they shared a private smile. The moment was broken by Kazimir's booming voice.

“A BABY!”

Aleksandra's mouth dropped open unattractively as she stared back and forth between the two. Kazimir was similarly staring at the two awaiting confirmation of his suppositions. Harry looked at Hermione briefly and seeing her consent reflected in her eyes turned to Kazimir and responded.

“Yes, Hermione and I are expecting.”

Kazimir let out a jubilant cry.

“THIS IS MOST WONDERFUL NEWS…WE CELEBRATE…CHAMPAGNE AND SPARKLING WATER FOR EVERYONE…MY FRIENDS ARE HAVING A BABY!!”

Kazimir's bellowing had garnered the attention of nearly everyone in the bar and the adjoining dining room. As the barman set about fulfilling Kazimir's request a buzz swept through the room as its occupants began to connect what had been said with Harry and Hermione. Harry drew Hermione to his side as Kazimir handed them fresh drinks and whispered.

“I reckon we not what tomorrow's headline will be.”

Hermione's only reply was a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry opened the door to his and Hermione's suite and ushered in Hermione, Aleksandra and Kazimir. The foursome had just left the hotel's dining room and were headed out to Kazimir's flat when a barn owl landed on Harry's shoulder and held out its leg. Harry had taken the postcard the bird carried and flipping it over saw Ron's writing. Harry scanned the note and once he'd finished invited Kazimir and Aleksandra upstairs. They entered the suite to find Hedwig sitting atop the table with a rather large envelope lying at her feet. Harry stroked her feathers affectionately as he retrieved the envelope and handed it to Hermione. Hermione tore open the envelope and removed its contents.

Inside the envelope were several reports that Harry and Aleksandra had asked Ron to dredge up, Hermione passed them to Harry who immediately sat and handed one each to Aleksandra and Kazimir. As they skimmed the reports Hermione looked at the remaining two items from the envelope, a letter from Colin Creevey and a photograph. Hermione decided to read Colin's letter first. She quickly unfolded the parchment and began skimming the letter in which Colin had explained that he'd had a bit of trouble getting a clear look at the face in the photo as it was only visible for a few seconds before it became cloudy again. Apparently the smoke in the picture had been quite thick. He went on to say that he'd just about given up altogether when his brother Dennis had suggested using the muggle method for developing pictures. Colin was pleased to find that using his brother's suggestion he was able to get a clear look at the face in the picture and enlarge it as well. He went on to say that he hoped he had been able to help. Hermione ended her perusal of the letter just as Harry asked.

“Love, what's it say? Was Colin able to sort out the picture?”

Hermione nodded her head as she turned to the group and sitting down in the empty seat between Harry and Kazimir she placed the picture down on the table before them. Staring up from a muggle photograph was a woman dressed in heavy black robes. Her completion was pale and ashen and the blond hair that adorned her head hung limply around her shoulders. Her features were pinched and she looked thin and frail. Her hazel brown eyes looked overly large for her face. Yet it was clear that she had once been a strikingly beautiful woman. As she studied the picture Hermione was struck by the sadness that hung around her features, she seemed haunted by some tragedy of her past. Hermione was vividly reminded of the countless photos she seen over the years of people who had been confined to Azkaban during the days when Dementors guarded the fortress. Hermione stared at the picture again and she wondered who this woman was and what had rendered her so lost. As her eyes lingered upon the picture Hermione listened to Harry and the others speculations, Kazimir was speaking.

“I know of no woman who would involve herself in something like this. As I've told Ronald all of my contacts have only presented the names of men to me. Is she familiar to either of you?”

Aleksandra shook her head.

“I have never seen such a voman. I can take a copy of the photograph vith me back to headquarters and see if she matches anyone in our files.”

Harry cut in.

“Good idea but something tells me she's not going to turn up in any file any of us has.”

Aleksandra nodded.

“Very true, if she has eluded capture this long she is no doubt very good at concealing herself.

Kazimir then interjected.

“You think she is a past supporter of Vo…Vo…Voldemort then?”

“Vhat else can explain it. Only one of his supporters vould or could have the knowledge to do such things as this voman has done!”

On the heels of that statement Hermione insinuated herself into the conversation for the first time.

“She is not a Death Eater.”

Everyone's attention turned to Hermione. Kazimir posed a question.

“What makes you think that she isn't one of the Death Eaters who managed to escape capture?”

Aleksandra chimed in.

“She could have lied and said she vas placed under the Imperius Curse to evade capture.”

Hermione shook her head adamantly.

“No, this woman…whoever she is…is no Death Eater…and I know she's done horrid things but I can see that she's suffered a great deal as well. It's that suffering that's causing her to do these things…she's acting out of pain not hatred.”

Hermione quieted and all was quiet for several minutes before Harry spoke pacing about the room as he went.

“Death Eater or no I've got no chance of finding out who in bloody hell she is sat on my arse here in Greece. I need to get back to London to check some possibilities but if we turn up back there before our month's vacation is up Melbourne's bound to get suspicious.”

Just as Harry finished off his thoughts Pig flew in through the open balcony doors twittering incessantly as he zoomed about Harry's head. Employing his seeker's reflexes Harry reached up and enclosed the small ball of fluff in his palm. Hermione relieved him of his roll of parchment and quickly unraveled it. Her eyes met with Luna's looping handwriting. As Harry opened his mouth to ask what the note said Hermione spoke.

“It's from Luna…Fleur's gone into labor…”

Harry paused in his pacing as Hermione's last words met his ears.

“And we've got the perfect excuse to go home early.”

Harry's face broke into a broad grin as he nodded.

-->

14. Family Ties


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 12: Family Ties

Harry and Hermione arrived in the foyer of number twelve Grimmauld Place with a booming pop. This was mostly because Harry had dropped the luggage he'd been carrying when they arrived. He shrugged out of his traveling cloak and automatically turned to Hermione to assist her out of hers. He hung them both on the rack standing by the door. Harry heaved a disconsolate sigh. Hermione slipped her hand into his and entwined their fingers. She then raised herself onto the tips of her toes and kissing his cheek said reassuringly.

“It's only for a few days, until things calm down a bit.”

Harry nodded his head and gave her what he hoped was a cheery smile. In actuality, it looked rather pained and forced. Harry had not set foot in number twelve Grimmauld Place since Sirius' death eleven years prior. In the years immediately following Sirius' death Harry had been so preoccupied with other things that he honestly had forgotten that he owned the house. It was only after the war was over and he was going into auror's training that he recalled his owner ship of the Black estate when he was told he had to designate someone to look after his affairs and saw the title listed among the holdings he had to sign over to his designee. When he voiced his reservations about maintaining the property Ron suggested selling it seeing as how he couldn't bring himself to set foot in the place and Sirius had despised it. Harry had considered the option and even though all that Ron has said was true; Grimmauld was all he had left of Sirius so selling it off to Merlin knew who seemed far worse than simply letting it sit idle and rot. In the end, Harry had simply named Hermione as his designee and allowed the thought of the house to fade from his consciousness.

He'd given no further thought to number twelve until two years ago when he'd been contacted by Gringott's and told of a mandatory inspection of the property that was necessary to assess its value. As Harry was on assignment at the time, he'd had the goblins to contact Hermione who supervised the inspection. The house failed spectacularly. This episode prompted Hermione to suggest that Harry remodel the place. Initially he had balked at the idea. Seeing as no one was living there and no one would be what did it matter if the whole bloody thing collapsed in on itself? However, in typical fashion, Hermione had given him a laundry list of reasons to improve the estate, which included among other things improving its net worth in terms of his assets and the possibility however undesirable and unlikely that he or someone else should need to stay there. Harry had gone along with the idea on the conditions that she handle everything and that he never have to see or enter the place. Now that he and Hermione had to be here, he was immensely glad he'd listened to her.

Following receiving Luna's note about Fleur going into labor Harry and Hermione had made plans to leave Greece first thing the following morning. In all their excitement over Colin's picture and getting back to London to investigate the matter further the two had forgotten all about Kazimir loudly announcing the news of their pregnancy in the hotel dining room. Thus, they were quite shocked by the crush of press people awaiting them in the hotel's lobby the following morning. The hotel's concierge had ushered them into a side room where he showed them the morning's paper and explained what was going on. He had seemed immensely relieved when Harry stated that they were actually coming down to check out as they had urgent family business back home. The concierge had hurriedly checked them out and set up a portkey to Harry's flat. Upon arriving home the young couple had once again been besieged by reporters. Knowing that St. Mungo's, the Burrow and Hermione's flat would be equally overrun Harry had taken them to the one place where he knew they could not be harassed.

Hermione stared at her husband and wondered if their coming to Grimmauld Place had been a good idea. Harry had taken Sirius' death much harder than even he was aware. He hadn't been inside his godfather's home since Christmas of their fifth year and though he had consented to having the place remodeled she knew full well that he had never intended to see the changes she'd wrought. Were it not for his trying to keep her out of the glaring eye of the media he wouldn't have been there at all. Chancing another glance at his face, Hermione saw that he was steeling himself to endure their stay. Her voice sounded oddly loud when it broke through the silence of the foyer.

“You know we really don't have to stay here…we can go back to the flat. I mean honestly those reporters will have to clear off sometime and if they don't then I suppose I'll just have to hex them…I can always blame it on pregnancy hormones or some other rubbish of the sort…besides it'd serve them right for camping out in people's doorways…”

Harry smiled at the fact that Hermione was willing to risk the Ministry of Magic's Employee Misuse of Magic Review Board just to keep him from having to spend a few nights in grim old Grimmauld Place. He squeezed her hand and drew her close in a quick hug. When they parted he smiled and said.

“I'm fine…”

Hermione hastily interrupted.

“But you haven't so much as been down the street from this place in eleven years that doesn't sound like someone who's fine with something to me…”

Harry cut off her words with a quick peck on the lips and added.

“And as I haven't seen the place in eleven years I reckon I should have a look around, considering that you've redecorated.”

With more bravado than he felt Harry strode out of the foyer and into the downstairs lounge. As he glanced around and took in the room he was shocked by the sight that met his eyes. The room before him looked nothing like what he remembered…the drab and dank grimness he remembered was no more. The dark paneled walls and drapes, the hulking ostentatious furniture with the serpent themed accessories were all gone as was the stiflingly oppressive feeling that had clung to every room of the place the last time Harry had been there. In their place was a remarkably inviting atmosphere. Everything, including the paint on the walls was done in matching albeit varying shades of cream, beige, mocha and chocolate brown giving the room a warm comfortable feeling. The drapes that covered the windows were a beige sort of tone that blended well with the mocha brown furniture set about the room. The large roomy sofa, loveseat, and matching overstuffed recliners covered the area immediately around the fireplace in the living room, a coffee table, end tables and lamps nicely filled the remaining space, new carpet covered the floor. A few pictures of Ron, Hermione, himself and the other members of their families adorned the walls and the mantel above the fireplace.

Hermione had used the same color scheme throughout the more formal lounge room and dining room that sat towards the back of the house. Here the furniture was richer in tone and more proper but no less comfortable. Even though the area was for more serious entertaining you still felt as though you could sit down and relax with displeasing anyone. Harry ran his hand across the back of one of the chocolate colored leather chairs and shook his head in mild surprise. It was hard to believe that this warm inviting home had once been an old dark and dank manor house filled to bursting with all kinds of wizarding vermin. As he made his way down the hall to the kitchen he noted the nicely stripped and polished walls and the beautiful hardwood floors that shone beneath his feet. New shiny chandeliers and gas lamps hung from the ceilings and mounted the walls giving off a soft welcoming glow.

Harry noticed a door set off down a shallow corridor to his right, realizing that he didn't recall having ever seen the door before he walked over and taking hold of the knob twisted it and stepped inside. Behind the door he found what he supposed was a study, paneled in a gorgeous hardwood that held deep red undertones. The room was decorated and furnished in colors that were reminiscent of the Gryffindor common room, albeit more mature and with much less worn couches and chairs. Along the right wall was a bank of four large bay windows that opened onto the back garden that held an elaborate stone hewn fountain and a very well tended garden that boasted an array of stunning plants growing there. The left wall held a large fireplace that was surrounded by two armchairs, a small couch and table. A bookshelf sat at the front of the room, with a mishmash of books crowding its shelves. A high-backed settee adorned with a scarlet throw and pillows was situated in front of bookshelf. At the very back of the room was a large desk and chair sitting before another bookshelf that was adorned with various knick-knacks and photographs.

The shelf of whatnots and photographs caught Harry's attention. As he drew nearer he was able to make out what some of the knick-knacks were. Two snitches buzzed about in glass cases, little gold plates attached to the cases told him that one was from the first Quidditch match he'd ever won at Hogwarts, the other from the final game his father had played in during his final year at Hogwarts. The model of the Horntail from the Triwizard Tournament sat on a shelf next to the Marauders map. Still another shelf housed his mother's Head Girl badge from seventh year. Stunned as he was by the collected artifacts ornamenting the shelves; it was the pictures that riveted him. Mixed in among the various items were pictures of his parents, Sirius and Remus from Hogwarts and after. There were pictures of Harry, Ron and Hermione during their Hogwarts years as well.

Harry's eyes drifted to the desk where three pictures were arranged. The first was of his parents; they were sitting beneath an apple tree staring lovingly into each other's eyes. The second was of his parents holding him as they smiled and waved happily at the camera. The third picture was his favorite photo of Hermione; a shot of her sitting beneath a large oak in her parents back garden reading a book. He'd dreaded coming back to Grimmauld more than he cared to admit but in that maddening way she had of always knowing just the thing to do Hermione had made this, his most unbearable of situations something akin to a homecoming. A smile turned the corners of his mouth as he thought how much he loved the woman standing across the room from him. Coming from around the desk Harry covered the distance separating him from Hermione in a few strides before he pulled her into his arms and kissed her quite thoroughly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron and Harry were holed up in the ground floor study of Grimmauld Place. Harry was pouring over his files and the journal from the case. Ron sat across from Harry staring at the picture of the blond haired witch, shaking his head he inquired.

“Still no idea who she is?”

Harry shook his head.

“None. No known Death Eaters fit the description and all their children have been accounted for. Kazimir and Aleksandra have exhausted all their contacts and come up with squat. She's not listed anywhere in any Magical Law Enforcement files as either a victim or perpetrator.”

Ron chimed in.

“Which means she's fairly new to all this Dark Arts business…”

Ron paused for a beat and frown as he added.

“That or she's bloody damn good at it to have avoided capture after all this time.”

“Instinct tells me it's a bit of both.”

Harry rose from his seat behind his desk and began to pace. Ron watched him carefully and waited for him to verbalize whatever it was that had been so obviously nagging him about the situation. No sooner than Ron had completed his thoughts, Harry said.

“Thing is I've been staring at this picture for two days now and I know I've seen this witch somewhere before, but where.”

Harry quit speaking briefly and resumed his pacing for several long silent moments before he burst out.

“I know I've seen her…”

Harry suddenly went rigid as he remembered something.

“It was at headquarters…that's where I've seen her before!”

Harry rushed over to the desk and plucked the picture of the blond witch from atop his stack of files, staring at the haunted visage staring back at him he said.

“I'm certain it was at headquarters now I just need to remember what case file I saw it in, get the file and we're in with a start.”

Ron shook his head.

“You're forgetting Melbourne mate. If you saw this bird's picture at headquarters then you can be certain that that git's gotten rid of any information on her contained anywhere in headquarters.”

Harry drummed his fingers on the desk.

“Your right with whatever he's hiding I'm sure he's gotten rid of the file by now. Maybe I could show the photo around a bit, see if some of the blokes who might've worked the case remember the face.”

Again, Ron shook his head.

“Another no go mate, it'd be a dead giveaway what you're up to if you tried passing that photo around the office, Melbourne'd be all over you in a second!”

Realizing that Ron was right yet again Harry groaned in frustration and banged his fist on the desk just as the door swung open. Luna and Hermione ambled into the room. Luna called out to Harry.

“If you're trying to swat a Skebble Flembble I'd advise against using your hand, they give quite nasty bites.”

Hermione turned to Luna and inquired.

“Skebble Flembble?”

Luna replied absentmindedly as she wondered about the room admiring the books shelved throughout the study.

“Papyrus Sprites. Root cause of paper cuts you know.”

Hermione smile and nodded as she said.

“Papyrus Sprites…yes I might have guessed.”

Ron threw Hermione a look that clearly begged her not to get his wife wound up about the collection of fanciful creatures she insisted inhabited the wizarding world. Acquiescing to Ron`s unspoken request Hermione said.

“Molly sent us to collect you two, dinner's ready.”

“Dinner, why didn't you say so.”

Ron didn't wait around for the others he strode across the room and disappeared through the door Luna and Hermione had left open when they'd come in. Luna looked over at Harry and Hermione and said.

“We'd better hurry otherwise they'll be nothing left.”

The three shared a chuckle as they exited the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone looking around the dining room table would have sworn that it was the Burrow and not Grimmauld Place what with all the Weasleys and their offspring sitting around the table. The only notable difference was the fact that Arthur and Molly were sitting on the left hand side of the table and not at its head as they usually did. The head of the table was reserved for Harry and the seat to his immediate right was set aside for Hermione, as it was their table in their house. Molly and Arthur showed up not long after lunch after having received Hermione's owl explaining that they had come back to London as soon as they'd heard about Fleur but didn't dare risk turning up at hospital seeing as how the press had gotten wind of Hermione's pregnancy. Molly had arrived with news of Bill, Fleur, William, Christian and little Esmée Simone Weasley. She had been positively gushing as she happily filled them in on the particulars of the birth, the naming and the sheer beauty of the newest addition to the Weasley family.

Ron and Luna arrived shortly after his parents had. They'd intended to ask about the sideline of investigating the newlyweds were presently involved in. Upon seeing his mother Ron had attempted to employ the secret code they'd developed years ago and underhandedly asked how the honeymoon had been. Although both Harry and Hermione sussed out Ron's true meaning immediately Molly having no idea what was truly going on had taken over the conversation inquiring about their trip and remarking on how marriage obviously suited the two quite well as they both looked happier than she'd ever seen them. Not long after that Charlie and Paige had arrived and gradually all of the Weasley clan turned up having gotten word that Harry and Hermione were back in town and that the family was congregating at Grimmauld.

This impromptu gathering convinced Molly that a family dinner was in order and she'd set off for the kitchen quite happy to be the first to break in the state-of-the-art-never-before-used-cooker. As usual she'd done a bang up job making a roast joint of beef with carrots, peas, potatoes, cauliflower and cabbage. There was also herb and onions stuffing, gravy, and bread sauce with Yorkshire pudding and rhubarb crumple for afters. Freshly fed and watered off of Molly's excellent food the entire lot retired to the lounge room where Fred and George produced a copy of the Daily Prophet and took it in turns reading the headlines about Harry and Hermione in the voices of their old Hogwarts professors (the voices of Snape, Lockhart and Umbridge had been the most popular) as entertainment for a nearly an hour before conversation picked up again.

“This is a lovely house Harry, I suppose that you and Hermione will be getting rid of your flats and moving in here now the baby is coming?”

Before Harry had a chance to answer Paige's query Luna added in one of her own.

“This house…was it Sirius'? Is that why you've never lived here?”

Luna and Paige's questions drew the attention of the rest of the family. Harry felt their eyes as they watched him from various points about the room. Scratching his chin thoughtfully for a moment Harry considered his answer and then responded to Luna first.

“Yes Luna, 12 Grimmauld Place is Sirius' family home and as it was the last place I ever saw him alive I've avoided coming here at all in the last eleven years.”

A horrified expression crossed Paige's face; she'd heard the story of how Harry found and eventually lost his godfather Sirius Black from Charlie. She was mortified at what she had just asked. Just as she opened, her mouth to apologize Harry spoke.

“And to be honest Paige I've been thinking along the same lines as you.”

Hermione, Ron, the twins, Molly and Arthur all turned shocked eyes in Harry's direction. With a puzzled shake of her head, Hermione asked.

“You want to live here…here at Grimmauld Place?”

Harry nodded and smiled.

“Well when you think about it, it's really quite sensible actually. Grimmauld is large enough to accommodate all our accumulated things and as it's so close to the Ministry I won't have to worry about you apparating or flooing as the pregnancy goes on. And getting to St. Mungos will be a lark once our little seeker makes his debut…”

Hermione interjected.

“You have no idea whether this baby is a boy or girl or that he or she will like Quidditch let alone want to be a seeker.”

Grinning Harry replied.

“Sprog's mine, loving Quidditch and playing seeker are a given love…and trust me when I say it's a him.”

Harry's cheeky reply earned a hearty laugh from the twins. Ron broke the lightness of the moment by saying.

“Little Harry's seeking exploits aside how in the bloody name of Merlin do you expect to live here when you hate this place! I mean true it looks loads better since Hermione fixed up the place but its still Grimmauld Place…still Sirius'…”

Harry cut in.

“Still Sirius' home…”

Ron stared uncertainly at Harry. Harry elaborated.

“Back when I found out the truth about Sirius he asked me to come and live with him and while I doubt he'd have picked Grimmauld Place as the site of our happy home. But I like to think that if we had of ended up here we'd have made it work…turned it into something other than the tribute to pureblood mania that he remembered it as. Sirius wanted me to have a home and a family…a home and a family like what I've got now with Hermione…”

Hermione slipped her hand into Harry's and squeezed it affectionately. Harry's eyes connected with hers and a tender smile covered his face as he continued speaking.

“I'd very much like to make Grimmauld a part of that life…for Sirius…”

Harry stopped without saying the rest of what he'd intended as he suddenly became aware of the stifling emotionally charged silence his words had brought on. He felt Hermione's hands framing his face as she drew his lips towards her own. Kissing him delicately, she whispered.

“I absolutely adore you Mr. Potter.”

Harry answered back with an equally tender kiss as he muttered.

“The feeling is mutual Mrs. Potter, the feeling is mutual.”

Fred and George plucked Harry from his warm moment with his wife.

“You Gred I reckon they be shagging if we weren't here right now.”

At George's words, Fred nodded sagely and added.

“Yup I do believe you are right Forge, if it wasn't that he'd already knocked her up I'd bet on tonight being the night.”

Fred waggled his eyebrows suggestively and the room erupted in gales of laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next four days of what was left of the week and a half of Harry and Hermione's honeymoon was spent packing up the combined contents of their flats and moving into Grimmauld Place. Harry refused to allow Hermione to lift anything heavier than her wand and depending on the spell she was attempting sometimes even that was off limits. Yet, despite his refusing Hermione's help, Harry was far from alone with the task it went without saying that he had plenty of help from the Weasley men who turned up to help with all the heavy lifting.

By the time Harry and Hermione were all moved in Fleur and Esmée were back at home. To celebrate the Potters hosted a housewarming/welcome home party at Grimmauld. They invite all their family, friends and even a few acquaintances from work. Fleur's sister Gabrielle and her parents were in attendance as they'd just arrived from France to meet their granddaughter. It was a grand do; food, drink and conversation flowed easily and a smashing time was had by all.

Harry was somewhat put out by the fact that Hermione's superior Dalton Moore, who'd made a brief appearance at the festivities, had asked her back to work the following day to help out with some case that had the other unspeakables stumped. Hermione hadn't agreed right off as she wasn't sure how Harry would react. They technically still had six days of “honeymooning” left and with Ron getting ready to take off to Belgium to hammer out the details of potentially opening a branch of the joke shop there Harry would be left sitting home for another six days with no one to bounce ideas off of about the case. Harry however had, however grudgingly, told Hermione it wasn't necessary to stay home on his account. He knew the idea of sitting round without something to occupy her mind would drive Hermione nutters much as it was doing him. Harry loathed inactivity and despite the fact that he was itching to get out and do something, anything, he assured Hermione that her returning to work was fine and that he would survive quite well on his own.

The first two days he managed quite well as there were still a few minor details to handle in regards to he and Hermione settling into their new home. There was the settling of the leases on their flats, the transferring and combining of their muggle and Gringotts accounts, and a bit of redecorating to Grimmauld. Harry converted the upstairs library to include a study for Hermione to work in. As the library was directly above his private study Harry had a portion of the floor ripped out and a set of stairs added so that he and Hermione would have their own private workspace but not be completely separate. Normally a project of that magnitude would have taken several weeks but in the wizarding world it had only taken one day.

Harry's third day alone found him in the company of Molly Weasley who'd asked if he'd be a dear and come over to help her and Fleur get Esmée's room situated as Bill had to be back at work. A seemingly innocuous proposition at the outset Harry had thought nothing of the request. However, once he arrived back at Grimmauld Place where Hermione was kept his supper hot with a warming charm, he vowed that Bill would be repaying this particular wizard's debt in kind once their baby was born. It was on the morning of the fourth day that Harry cracked. He'd been sitting at the table attempting to have breakfast and thumb through the Daily Prophet, when suddenly the tediousness of the relatively commonplace morning activity closed in on him. Without sparing a thought for what he was doing he rushed upstairs and pulled on his aurors robes and disapparated to the ministry.

As he strode through the corridors of the Ministry of Magic's Magical Law Enforcement division Harry encountered more than a few shocked looks. It was common knowledge that he was on holiday and was not expected back for another three days yet. Knowing that Melbourne would be upset over his sudden return Harry had decided that he'd be best served by employing a bit of strategy to get what he wanted. Seeing that he and Melbourne were so often at odds over Harry's alleged disregard for authority, Harry planned on going to his superior first and asking to be placed back on duty as opposed to just showing up and assigning himself a case. Harry arrived outside Melbourne's office and seeing that his secretary was away from her desk stepped towards the open door to Melbourne's office.

Harry stepped inside the office and quickly ascertained that Melbourne was out. Deciding it was best that he not be found inside Melbourne's office when he wasn't there he turned to leave when a picture sitting on the edge of the desk caught his attention. In the picture were three people, two witches and a wizard. The wizard in the picture was tall and handsome, with broad shoulders, deep brown eyes and an easy smile that made his face appear warm and friendly. Each of his arms was draped around the shoulders of a witch. The witch on his right was considerably older than the wizard. Her long blond hair was beginning to gray and her face was beginning to line and crease with wrinkles. And though eyes were hazel, her face held the same warm smile as the young wizard's and Harry surmised they were mother and son. The witch to his left was younger, Harry guessed her to be around the age of the wizard himself, and utterly breathtaking. Though she was a bit pale there was no mistaking how beautiful this woman was. Her long blond hair fell in deep waves about her shoulders; her smile seemed to light up the room and her hazel eyes twinkled like stars.

Harry's eyes narrowed as he focused in on those eyes…he'd seen them before. Suddenly it came to him…the photo of the witch he'd come across in Greece…the witch he knew he'd seen before but couldn't remember where…this was her he was certain of it! Just as the realization took hold of him a voice pulled him back from his musings.

“May I help you with something?”

Harry turned and found himself face to face with Esmeralda Satterfield, Melbourne's secretary. Upon seeing Harry her stern expression softened.

“Oh, Auror Potter, its you...didn't know who could possibly be sniffing about Minister Melbourne's office…did you have an appointment?”

Harry shook his head and replied hastily.

“Morning Mrs. Satterfield…no I don't have an appointment but I was hoping to have a word with Minister Melbourne if I could no one was in and I was just on my way out when you came.”

Mrs. Satterfield nodded.

“Yes the Minister was called away on urgent business, won't be back in until tomorrow. Would you like to leave a message for him?”

Harry shook his head.

“No…no need…I'll try again tomorrow.”

Mrs. Satterfield nodded and stepped aside to allow Harry to pass. He took a step towards the door then glancing back at the desk. Mrs Satterfield caught the look and said.

“Lovely family they were…Agamennous, Hecuba, Priam and Isolde…and it was such a tragedy losing them all the way he did. Why I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose your wife and your children so terrible. I can't imagine what he must go through.”

Mrs Satterfield cast a sad look back at the photo as Harry stepped out into the corridor; his newfound revelation ringing in his ears…the witch in the picture was Isolde Melbourne, Agamennous Melbourne's daughter.

-->

15. Isolde


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 13: Isolde

Harry was thunderstruck. He could hardly believe what he'd just heard. The witch whose face he had been trying to place for days was the daughter of his superior! It explained perfectly why he'd remembered seeing the face at headquarters. All the times he'd been in Melbourne's office getting reprimanded over something he'd done or hadn't done; her smiling, happy face had been staring up at him from the desk. And it all made perfect sense now. No wonder Melbourne had been so keen to keep him off this case. As his thoughts raced around his brain, Harry quickly walked back down the main corridor of the Magical Law Enforcement department and headed straight for the lifts. He clambered into the first lift and paid not attention to the calls of “Good Morning”, “How was the honeymoon” and “Welcome Back” that he received from his coworkers as he made his way down to the Department of Mysteries. Without preamble Harry strode into Hermione's office where she and Daphne were sat at separate corners of the desk pouring over stacks and stacks of parchment and texts. Unable to contain himself Harry blurted out.

“I KNOW WHO SHE IS!”

A waterfall of parchment rained down onto the floor around Hermione's desk. Taken aback by Harry's abrupt and unexpected exclamation Daphne had upset two stacks of parchment that were precariously balanced on her knees when she'd jumped a bit in her seat. Without missing a beat Hermione fired off several quick spells that collected, sorted and restacked the parchment. Before Hermione could say a word Daphne stated.

“If it's alright with you Mrs. Granger I'll just finish up my transcriptions at my desk…and when I'm done would I'll pop down to the archives and begin the cross referencing.”

Hermione nodded in her assistant's direction and replied.

“Thank you Daphne…when I'm done here I'll join you.”

The younger brunette nodded her head in ascent and stood to her feet. She then waved her wand and collected the materials she'd been working with before disappearing through the side door of Hermione's office into the slightly noisier main office of the Unspeakables. As the door shut behind her Hermione directed her attention to her husband as she spoke.

“You know if you keep charging into my office bellowing like some sort of nutter you're going to give that poor girl a heart attack.”

Harry elected to ignore his wife's sarcasm and instead of replying magically locked and silenced the room. As an extra measure he Muffliatoed the room as well. Hermione raised an eye at Harry's odd behavior but this too he ignored as he repeated his earlier words.

“I know who she is!”

Momentarily bemused by Harry's behavior Hermione questioned.

“What are you on about Harry? What she are you talking about?”

Harry stared at Hermione as if he couldn't believe how thick she'd suddenly become.

“What she am I talking about? What she have we been trying to suss out for the past three weeks!”

Hermione's eyes widened in shock as she suddenly made the connection.

“You know who the witch in the photograph is!”

Harry nodded. Unable to sit still Hermione hopped out of her seat and hurried around the desk to where Harry was standing in the middle of the room and asked in a rushing overflow of words.

“How'd you suss out who she was…did you remember the case you first saw the picture in…was it one of the other auror's…did one of them recognize her…who is she?!”

Harry held up his hands in a gesture that looked as if he was attempting to hold back the tide of Hermione's questions.

“I didn't remember her face from case…and it wasn't another auror that recognized her either… she was never a part of any case as far as I know…but that'd be worth a look considering…”

Hermione interrupted Harry's thought process as she once again asked?

“Oh for Merlin's sake Harry who is she!!”

Harry turned to look at Hermione as he answered back.

“Her name is Isolde…Isolde Melbourne…and she's Agamennous Melbourne's daughter!”

Hermione's face composed itself into a mask of shock. Walking over and grabbing her elbow Harry deposited Hermione into the chair that Daphne had vacated earlier and pacing back and forth began to recount his discovery.

“Not long after you left for the Ministry I was trying to have a bit of breakfast and read the Prophet but I was going mad sitting there with nothing to do so I got up and got dressed and headed down to headquarters. I'd planned to ask Melbourne to set me on desk duty at least for the next three days if that's what it took to get me out of that blasted house.”

Hermione smiled at the idea of Harry asking for desk duty of all things. It was common knowledge that he absolutely abhorred paper work. And she didn't doubt that if Harry had asked Melbourne for a desk assignment he'd have been there until hell froze over before Melbourne let him off again. Harry's voice brought Hermione back from her musings to the present moment.

“But when I got to Melbourne's office his secretary wasn't there but his door was open…I stepped in to see if he was there and if we could chat for a bit but he wasn't in either. I was heading out the door when I saw it…”

Impulsively Hermione interjected.

“Saw what?”

Harry continued smoothly.

“I saw a photograph sitting on Melbourne's desk of two witches and a wizard. The wizard in the picture was a tall, good-looking sort of bloke with broad shoulders, dark brown eyes and a warm, friendly smile. He had his arms wrapped around these two witches. The witch on his right was much older than he was and she had long blond hair that was beginning to go gray and even though eyes were hazel instead of dark brown there was enough of a resemblance there to know that they were mother and son. The other witch, the one on the left was even younger than the bloke. By two or three years I reckon. And Hermione she was beautiful…fair skinned with long blond hair that fell in deep waves around her shoulders…and her smile seemed to light up the room…and she had these eyes…hazel just like the older witch…but hers twinkled like stars. I was staring at those eyes when it hit me that they were the exact same eyes I'd been staring at for the past three weeks…there was no mistaking it! That was the reason she looked so bloody familiar to me! All those times I was in Melbourne's office getting my arse chewed out she was sitting there on the desk staring up at me the whole bleeding time!!”

As Harry paused to catch his breath Hermione made several inquiries.

“You're certain it's her? And how did you find out her name?”

Harry answered quickly.

“Melbourne's secretary…Mrs. Satterfield…came back and caught me in his office…”

Hermione cut in.

“His secretary caught you in his office! Harry Melbourne will know…and he'll be in a right state when he hears…”

Harry cut in.

“It's fine Hermione. I told her I fancied a word with Melbourne, I made it sound of no consequence and that satisfied her well enough. She told me that Melbourne was gone for the day and asked if I wanted to leave a message and I told her I'd try back tomorrow. I was on my way out of the office when I looked back at the photograph. Mrs. Satterfield caught me looking and mentioned what a nice family Agamennous, Hecuba, Priam and Isolde had been.”

“Had been?”

Harry nodded at Hermione's question and went on.

“Yes…had been…according to Mrs. Satterfield Melbourne lost his whole family, wife and children all in one go. The way she said it I took it to mean they all died.”

Hermione frowned.

“But that can't be… if the woman in the picture is actually Melbourne's daughter…then she can not possibly be dead.”

Harry nodded and seeing the look on Hermione's face said.

“You're exactly right she's not dead and I am completely certain it's her Hermione…there's no question in my mind.”

Hermione nodded absently as she rose from her seat and took up pacing the length of the room from the chair to the couch and back again.

“Your instincts are usually right about these things so if you say it's the same person then I believe you. And it wouldn't be the first time we've run into a parent faking the death of their own child…”

Harry's thoughts briefly flickered back to their fourth year at Hogwarts and the entire fiasco with Bartemius Crouch and his supposedly deceased death eater son Barty Crouch Jr. Harry shook his head to clear it before thoughts of the graveyard in Little Hangleton and Cedric Diggory's murder entered his mind. When he regained his focus Hermione was still pacing and speaking.

“Although it makes perfect sense now all the things that Melbourne has done to keep anyone from really working on this case…he's trying to protect his child…”

Hermione stopped and placed her hands gently atop her expanding middle and whispered fiercely.

“Its no more than any other parent would do.”

Seeing his wife caressing her abdomen where their unborn child was still safely nestled inside her womb Harry was suddenly reminded of his own parents and what love of a child could make one capable of. As he thought of his own parents and what they had sacrificed for him Harry wondered what he wouldn't sacrifice for his own child. Harry's thoughts drifted to the time he and Hermione had spent in Greece and the missing bits about the case they had uncovered. When he'd first realized exactly how much information Melbourne had been hiding he'd wondered what Melbourne was so bent on keeping secret that he'd jeopardize innocent lives. He wondered what was more important than the oath he'd taken to protect the wizarding world…now looking at his pregnant wife and thinking of us own parents sacrifice he knew exactly what was had been so important. And although one question had been answered another now stood in its place…what had happened to Isolde Melbourne. What had changed her from the beautiful young woman he seen in the picture on Melbourne's desk to the haunted and disturbed woman she was now?

“Harry…what's wrong?”

Harry looked up and realized that Hermione had ended her pacing and rambling and was now standing at his side gazing up at him with a worried expression on her face. He patted her hand reassuringly and said.

“Sorry got lost in my thoughts there for a bit…where do we start?”

Hermione nodded and answered.

“We find out what happened to Agamennous Melbourne's family.”

Harry tapped a finger to his chin thoughtfully.

“As a matter of course a profile of pertinent information is kept on every witch and wizard employed by the Magical Law Enforcement Department. It covers all the particulars of family history and the like…I reckon I could pop up to the MLE records room and chat my way into getting a copy of Melbourne's file.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and retorted.

“No doubt Romilda Vane would be more than willing to help you with that request but that file would only give you a cursory overview when what you really need is detail.”

Harry noted the glint in Hermione's eye and asked.

“Hermione…what are you…”

Hermione waved him off.

“Never mind that now…I've got to get down to the archives…”

Hermione paused as she raised her gaze to Harry's and said.

“You should really get back upstairs to work before you're missed.”

Hermione turned and disappeared through the door that Daphne had exited through earlier before Harry had the chance to remind her that he was technically still on holiday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was half past nine when Harry arrived at number twelve Grimmauld Place that night filthy, exhausted and in need of a hot meal. It seemed that Hermione's shooing him off to work had been somehow farsighted, for no sooner than Harry had made his way up from the Department of Mysteries he ran into Kingsley Shacklebolt who was pleased beyond words to see him. It seemed that a small riot had broken out in Knockturn Alley over a collection of questionably produced potions and an assortment of items normally used for dark magic. With Tonks' squad on assignment and most of Harry's Horntails scattered to the winds the department was rather markedly shorthanded. Kingsley assumed that Harry had heard of their distress and come to lend a hand despite still having a few days of his month long holiday left. Harry elected not to disavow the Kingsley of his erroneous belief and instead had happily joined in helping to resolve the fray.

Deciding to forego food until he'd cleaned up a bit Harry tromped up the stairs towards the bedroom. As he passed the second landing he noticed light pouring out of Hermione's office he altered his course and strode in that direction. Harry stepped quietly into Hermione's inner sanctum to find her surrounded by about twenty large dusty volumes the each looked to be three times thicker than Hermione's beloved Hogwarts A History. In addition to the books Harry saw four towering stacks of newspapers and a very precarious looking mound of scrolled parchment that looked in danger of toppling over at any moment. Harry stopped just short of the desk, not wanting to be the cause of one of the stacks tumbling to the floor.

“Hermione what's all this?”

Without looking up Hermione replied.

“Research.”

Harry replied wryly.

“I gathered as much…more to the point I was asking what you're researching.”

“I...what in the name of Merlin is that ghastly smell?”

Hermione raised her gaze to meet Harry's making a disgusted face as she did so. As her eyes travel over her husband she sees that Harry's clothes and shoes are covered in a wet-looking, foul smelling, greenish brown sort of slime. Jumping up from her seat while simultaneously snatching up her wand Hermione cried.

“My God Harry…what in Morganna's name happened to you and what have you tracked across my carpet!”

Harry having completely forgotten his bedraggled state cursed under his breath.

“Shite…bit of a ruckus in Knockturn Alley. Some questionable potions and items were in play…when we showed up one of the idiots tried to get rid of the evidence by dumping the potions into a cauldron of what turned out to be stinksap…made quite a mess.”

Hermione glared at Harry as if his words were the biggest understatement she'd ever heard. With a wave of her wand the large bay windows lining the left wall swung open; with her free hand she pointed towards the door and admonished.

“It's off to the bath with you for a good long soak…I'll clear up this muck and see about some supper for you.”

Harry nodded and throwing an apologetic smile over his shoulder carefully retraced his steps back across the room and out the door. As Harry's footfalls sounded down the hall Hermione called after him.

“Harry get those boots off before you track this mess all over the bloody house!!”

Harry's reply was too jumbled to decipher, Hermione simply hoped he hadn't gotten up to the third landing before she'd spoken. Shaking her head Hermione stepped from behind the desk and set about cleaning up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a full hour later that Harry ambled back into Hermione's spotless study freshly scrubbed, wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of green plaid sleep pants. As he entered the room Harry caught the scent of beef and vegetable stew. His step quickened as he made his way to the couch to the left of Hermione's desk and gratefully collapsed into its firm comfort and began to shovel the stew into his mouth. He had nearly devoured the bowl when Hermione came up the stairs.

“Hungry are we?”

Harry looked up as Hermione came across the room carrying a half loaf of bread resting on a cutting board. Harry reached for the bread and tore a chunk off.

“Haven't eaten a thing since that bit of toast at breakfast.”

As the words rolled off his tongue Harry spooned the last of the stew into his mouth. Hermione added.

“In that case I suppose it's a good thing I charmed the bowl to refill itself until you'd had your fill.”

Harry mumbled his thanks around a mouthful of bread. Hermione sat in silence and watched her husband consume a third helping of stew and the remainder of the loaf of bread before he pushed aside the bowl and leaned back into cushions of the couch clearly sated.

“Thanks love, excellent nosh.”

Hermione nodded as she summoned a large file folder.

“Now that you've eaten I think you'll want to have a shifty at this.”

Harry took the proffered file and asked.

“What is it?”

At the same time that Harry flipped open the file Hermione answered.

“Everything I could find about Isolde Melbourne.”

Harry stared back wide-eyed at his wife.

“How did you…when did you…”

Hermione cut across Harry's incomplete ramblings.

“One of the wonderful things about being an Unspeakable is the archives. Did you know that nearly every bit of information concerning wizarding society here in the UK can be found down there? It's truly amazing some of the data you can find there.”

Harry looked over at Hermione's desk, his gaze came to rest on the scrolls and newspapers, and the twenty tomes heaped atop it. His gaze then drifted back to the rather thick file on his lap and looking back at his wife said.

“This is all the information you collected on Isolde Melbourne in roughly eight hours.”

Hermione sighed and answered back.

“Yes I know it isn't very much but I didn't want to bring attention to the fact that I was looking her up as I'm certain it would've raised questions. So I had to finish off the assignment Moore had handed me and get Daphne to writing up the report to hand in to him before end of day to keep her from under foot. Which really meant I only had about five hours, give or take a half an hour. Then I had to invent a new assignment that gave me a good enough excuse to go back into the archives to began searching. Moreover, I had to make certain that I did not take anything that pointed exclusively at Melbourne and his family. So yes it's a bit thin on the details but I've managed to cover the major points all the same.”

Hermione finished her explanation and found Harry staring at her in utter astonishment. Harry spoke, his voice full of incredulousness, as he pointed at the file covering his lap.

“Only you could put together something like this and think it thin…”

Harry paused and flipped through the massive pile of parchment then asked.

“How about you give me the condensed oral version…not sure I could make it through this thin bit of rubbish you've got here.”

Hermione rolled her eyes at Harry's cheek and clearing her throat said.

“Well you already know the basics I suppose…Isolde is the second of Agamennous and Hecuba Melbourne's two children. Her brother Priam was two years older…and as near as I can tell he's the key in all of this.”

Harry made an inquiry.

“Her brother's the key…how do you reckon?”

“Well as it was only the two of them and they were so close in age they were very devoted to one another…but that getting a bit ahead of things…listen…”

Hermione paused for a moment then began telling her tale.

Hecuba Melbourne was the youngest daughter of Maximus and Honoraria Cornfoot. She and Agamennous Melbourne had known each other since childhood and had been sweethearts since their third year at Hogwarts. Thus it was no surprise when the married one week after finishing school. Melbourne headed off to Auror's training while Hecuba set about establishing their home. Melbourne finished at the top of his Auror class and rose quickly through the ranks, no other Auror had risen as quickly or been as highly decorated in their service than Agamennous Melbourne until the legendary Harry Potter had joined their ranks. Hermione openly speculated that this was part of the reason for Melbourne's strong dislike of Harry.

Agamennous Melbourne spent the next twenty years rising to prominence in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement with Hecuba at his side playing the part of the adoring wife. All accounts of the couple showed them to be upstanding pillars of the community who loved each other deeply. It was said that the only time Agamennous was known to drop his hard-edged demeanor was in the company of wife. Everything seemed perfect for the Melbournes with the exception of their have been unable to conceive. It seemed that Hecuba desperately wanted children but had not managed to do so despite availing herself of all the techniques known to wizarding medicine. Thus it was a very pleasant shock for the Melbournes when after years of trying Hecuba found she was pregnant with Priam, Isolde followed two years later.

Priam and Isolde Melbourne were much beloved by their parents. Having waited so long and having wanted so badly to have them the Melbourne children were provided every possible advantage. Priam was a kind-hearted fun loving soul who excelled at all manner of athletic endeavors. He was also rather brilliant in his studies and was among the top in all his Hogwarts classes. Isolde was also of a warm and friendly nature. Though she was not athletically talented like her brother Isolde was Priam's equal in intellect and was prized as one of the most beautiful witches of her age. Intelligent, attractive and generally well thought of the Melbourne children were much sought after as companions and though their friends and acquaintances were numerous it appeared as though they much rather preferred each others company to anyone else's. They were the closest of friends and each other's greatest champion and confidante. Despite the differences in their age the siblings remained as close as if they were identical twins until Priam Melbourne finished Hogwarts and went on a yearlong sabbatical.

Priam had planned to travel around the world for a year learning all he could about foreign wizards before returning home and taking a post in the Ministry of Magic's International Wizarding Affairs Department. What was supposed to be a year's educational experience turned into a year's disappearance. After only six weeks all correspondence between Priam and his family stopped. Agamennous immediately sent out inquiries but found nothing. After six months of inquiries and using his Auror connection to track his son, which resulted in no less than disappoint, Melbourne took an indefinite leave of absence to search for his eldest child himself. He searched for the remainder of the year before returning alone and disheartened.

By then the term at Hogwarts had ended and Isolde was back with her parents after having been forced to remain in school throughout the duration of her brother's disappearance. She'd only been home overnight when news came that Priam had turned up at St. Mungos. The family rushed to the hospital where they found Priam barely hanging on ravaged by some unknown illness. The healers exhausted every avenue available to them but found no answer to what was ailing the young wizard. Once they had him stabilized the Melbournes were allowed to take Priam home for whatever time he had left. Whispers of Dark Magic abounded as soon as the nature of Priam's case became public knowledge though none of these allegations were ever confirmed as no one ever spoke to Priam aside from his parents and his sister.

Priam Melbourne died a month after returning home. His family was devastated by the loss. Hecuba, who'd been sick with worry over her son for months had grown weak in both body and spirit, caught dragon pox and died a week before Isolde was to begin her final year at Hogwarts. According to the papers the lost of her mother so soon after the death of her brother was too much for the young Isolde Melbourne and a fortnight after her mother's funeral and a scant two days before she was due to return to Hogwarts the young witch took her own life.

Harry and Hermione sat in silence for some time following Hermione's recounting of the life and alleged death of Isolde Melbourne. Finally Harry turned to Hermione and spoke.

“So that's the story that's been circulating all this time.”

Hermione nodded mutely. Harry continued.

“But clearly that's not the case as we've got a picture that shows a very much alive Isolde Melbourne.”

Again Hermione wordlessly nodded. Harry sighed and running a hand through his hair tossed open the file that Hermione had created. Looking down he saw the two versions of Isolde Melbourne looking back at him. Sighing again he wondered aloud.

“What happened to you Isolde Melbourne…what happened to you?”

-->

16. Unanswered Questions


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 14: Unanswered Questions

It had four weeks since Harry had discovered that the witch in the photograph was none other than Isolde Melbourne, the only and supposedly dead daughter of Agamennous Melbourne. Harry had thought that once he knew whom the witch in the picture was the truth of all the strange goings on would begin to unravel. However, finding out who Isolde Melbourne was hadn't answered any of Harry's questions about the case. In fact, knowing Isolde's identity had created a multitude of new unanswered questions, like what had really happened to Priam Melbourne? Where did he travels take him and what was the mystery illness that killed him? Did Hecuba Melbourne truly die of a broken heart and a bout with dragon pox? Why and how had Isolde faked her own death? And what did any of it have to do with the rash of Dark Magic cropping up abroad? Frustrated beyond words Harry chucked the magazine he'd been thumbing through back onto the table cursing under his breath. Robert Granger looked up from his newspaper and seeing the annoyed look on his son-in-law's face asked.

“Everything alright there Harry?”

Harry looked up wide-eyed, startled by the sound of his father-in-law's voice. Looking around the room, he was a bit taken aback when he realized that he was sitting in Hermione's parents lounge room. Then he suddenly remembered what day it was. It was Sunday and he and Hermione had come over to her parents' home for lunch. Once they'd arrived and exchanged pleasantries Hermione and her mother had drifted off to the kitchen to finish dinner. Harry and Robert had been left to their own devices. When there was no immediate response to his query, Robert Granger tried again.

“Harry.”

Harry turned his head in the direction of his father in law and answered absently.

“Er…sorry what was that?”

Robert replied.

“I asked if you were alright but judging by the manner of your response the answer to my question is obvious.”

Harry gave a half-hearted smile and mumbled.

“Sorry…guess I've been a little preoccupied.”

Robert smiled in earnest as he replied.

“I'd say you're more than a bit preoccupied.”

Robert paused for a second, during which a genuine smile crossed Harry's countenance, Robert then added.

“Anything I can help you with?”

Harry shook his head as he said.

“It's nothing really just thinking about a case I'm working on.”

Robert nodded and said.

“I find that when I'm stumped about something it helps to bounce things off an objective party but I reckon there's not much that a dentist could tell you about magical law enforcement. Still if you need an ear I'm here.”

Robert offered his son-in-law a smile before turning his attention back to his newspaper. Harry returned the smile and was about to return to his brooding when something Robert had said caught his attention. The only person Harry had spoken to about the Melbourne affair was Hermione. They had gone over every possibility they could conceive of to explain the events but had come no closer to figuring things out. Perhaps having some impartial input would add some heretofore-unseen perspective on the matter. Harry cleared his throat, and then spoke.

“Actually Robert I think I could do with a fresh perspective on this.”

Robert folded and set aside his paper. With a look of interest, swathing his face Robert asked.

“What seems to be the problem?”

It was protocol for aurors not to discuss active cases with non-authorized personal but as this case had been closed and their was no way for his superiors to know he'd been discussing it with anyone, least of all his muggle father-in-law Harry took a deep breath and launched into the details of the case from the beginning.

“Well it all started some months back when I was set to work on a case in Transylvania where some really advanced dark magic was used…”

The ensuing twenty minutes or so were spent with Harry giving Hermione's father a run-down of the case from start to finish including his initial suspicions, Hermione's assistance, and his numerous rows with Melbourne, how he'd been booted off the case, his covert investigating and finally the discovery of Isolde Melbourne's identity. For his part Robert Granger listened intently interrupting at indiscriminately to get clarification on a point here or there and nodding his head as he muttered things like “I see” and “How very intriguing”. Harry finished speaking and with an air of urgency asked.

“So what do you reckon?”

Robert absently tapped a finger to his lips before he responded.

“I'm no detective mind, but it seems to me that you and this Melbourne chap have a common goal here…”

Harry interrupted.

“A common goal…the only thing Agamennous Melbourne and I have in common is that we'd both love to see the other run over by a rampaging hippogriff!”

Robert smiled wryly and with a shake of his head said.

“Beyond that you both would like to know the truth of what's happened to Isolde…”

Again Harry interjected.

“You don't think that Melbourne was in on this from the start?”

Once again Robert shook his head. His voice took on a softer cadence as he briefly looked in the direction of the kitchen.

“You're not officially a father yet Harry so this may not make complete sense to you but believe me when I say that this Agamennous Melbourne took no part in his daughter faking her own death. She was all he had left in the world after he lost his wife and son. I believe he'd have done anything to keep her safe and whole after having gone through that…it's a good bet that that's what he's trying to do now, save her from whatever it is she's gotten herself mixed up in.”

Robert sighed then added.

“That's what I'd do if it were Hermione. I can't imagine what it must be like to loose your entire family all at once. It must be horrible.”

Robert lapsed into silence. Harry mulled over his father-in-law's last statement and quietly said.

“Its more awful than anything you could ever imagine.”

Robert started at Harry's muttered statement and looking up, stared openly at his son-in-law wondering what could have prompted him to say such a thing. Then he saw the flicker of sadness that briefly crossed Harry's face and he remembered that Harry didn't have to imagine losing his family to tragedy. Hastily Robert apologized.

“Harry…I'm sorry…your parents…I was being thoughtless…”

Harry waved off Robert's apology.

“You needn't apologize Robert…you were actually spot on…a fresh perspective on things really does change up your way of thinking just enough to see what you've been missing.”

Robert stared after Harry quizzically, wondering what he meant exactly. Just as he'd made up his mind to question Harry about what he meant Helen stepped through the door and summoned them to dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry and Hermione had arrived back at Grimmauld Place shortly after four. As Hermione had moved into the second trimester of her pregnancy she grew tired much more quickly than she had before. Thus she had gone upstairs for a kip immediately upon their arriving back home whereas Harry had closeted himself in his study along with the file Hermione had created on Isolde Melbourne as well as the information Ron, Kazimir and Aleksandra had compiled along with all his personal notes and files concerning the case. He carefully revisited every aspect of the case bearing in mind what Robert had said earlier. And suddenly it was clear to him what was wrong. Robert had been right when he'd suggested looking at things from a different perspective. Knowing what he needed to do and that he hadn't much time to do it Harry quickly collected his notes and wand, the he hastily scribbled a brief missive for Hermione so she wouldn't worry. Harry then headed off to conduct a bit of investigating.

It was nearly three in the morning when Harry quietly eased open the front door of Grimmauld Place and soundlessly stepped into the foyer. He silently thanked Merlin for the renovations the manor house had undergone, the old ungainly creaking door and the shrieking portrait of Sirius' mother would have had Hermione out of bed and toddling down the stairs to inquire where he'd been all night. He hoped that she'd fallen asleep early that way he could slip into bed without Hermione knowing what time he'd gotten in. As he mulled the situation over Harry decided that it may be best if he spent the remainder of the night in his office that way when he told Hermione that he had fallen asleep at his desk in the wee hours of the morning it wouldn't be a total lie.

Silently Harry crept down the hall to his study, he edged open the door and shut it without a sound. Harry was pondering whether to sleep on the couch in his office or conjure a bed for himself as the door closed, suddenly the gas lamps lining the walls blazed into life and Harry distinctively heard the perturbed voice of Hermione in his head say “I'd suggest the bed as you may be spending more than one there”. Harry whirled around and came face to face with his less than pleased wife. She was perched on the edge of the settee in front of the fireplace, tapping here bare foot against the polished hardwood floor. Harry ran a hand through his hair as Hermione audibly inquired.

“Where in the name of Merlin have you been all this time?”

Noting the slight chill in the room and Hermione's dressing gown-less and slipper-less state, Harry answered Hermione's question with one of his own.

“How long have you been down here?”

Hermione was about to offer a rather scathing reply to Harry's query but before she could do so he was striding across the room firing off a mini tirade.

“It's bloody damn near freezing in here, and here you sit nearly bloody naked…you'll catch your death!”

As he'd spoken Harry had set a roaring fire burning in the fire placed and he'd summoned Hermione's warmest dressing gown and slippers. As he assisted her in getting into her dressing gown and slippers Hermione noticed the narked expression covering her husband's face as he grumbled.

“For Circe's sake Hermione you've got to be more mindful of these things in your delicate condition…you have the baby to consider…”

Incensed by Harry's cavalier behavior Hermione interjected.

“Oh I need to be more mindful of how my actions affect our baby do I…well perhaps you should take a bit of your own advice Mr. Potter and be mindful of how your actions affect our baby!”

“My actions! What the bloody hell have I done?”

“What have you done? More like what you haven't done! Did it ever occur to you that I wouldn't have been down here in the sodding cold in the first place if my husband had been home in bed beside me! But oh no…you were off traipsing about someplace or another looking for news about Isolde Melbourne! You're gone for nearly twelve bloody hours leaving me a two line note that tells me absolutely nothing about where you are and what you're doing and all you can think to say to me when you turn up at nearly four in the morning is that I need to be more mindful of my actions…”

Harry interrupted with a sheepish murmur.

“It wasn't Isolde it was Priam.”

Taken aback by his reply Hermione frowned and asked.

“What did you say?”

Harry took a deep breath and responded.

“It was Priam not Isolde…but you're right I've acted a right arse I have…I'm sorry for how I've been act…”

Hermione cut across Harry's apology.

“What…why were you off rooting around for information about Priam Melbourne?”

Harry frowned a bit as he replied.

“I'm trying to apologize here for being a wanker and you want to know about Priam Melbourne.”

“Of course you're sorry Harry; you're always very conciliatory once it's been pointed out to you what an idiot you've been. And naturally I forgive you seeing as how I can never manage to stay angry at you for more than a second. Now that that's all sorted tell me why you were researching Priam Melbourne.”

Harry smiled as he leaned forward and brushed his lips across Hermione's forehead in a light kiss and said.

“For someone who's pissed with me for being gone so long you're a tad keen to know what I was up to.”

Hermione returned her husband's smile and said.

“You were saying.”

Harry directed Hermione back to her perch on the settee. Once he was certain she was comfortable he took a seat beside her and began to tell his tale.

“Earlier at your parents I got talking with your dad…I was a bit preoccupied and he asked if there was anything he could help me with. At first I wasn't going to say anything but as I'm sure I've reached my limit on ideas for this case I thought what the hell and told him everything…he reckoned I'd been looking at things all wrong…all this time I've been thinking that Melbourne has been in on this with his daughter from the start but your dad is sure that Melbourne is just as stumped as we are about his daughter faking her own death. He reckons Melbourne is just trying to protect her from whatever it is that she's involved in.”

Harry paused to allow Hermione a word.

“A fair point…but what could Isolde have been involved in that would warrant her faking her own death?”

Harry leapt up from his seat beside Hermione and began pacing back and forth as he spoke.

“That's exactly what I thought. I mean for months before her supposed suicide Isolde was consumed with one thing and one thing only…”

Hermione cut in.

“Her brother…”

Harry nodded as he interposed.

“Exactly…you told me that Priam and Isolde were closer to each other than they were to anyone else…and that's when it hit me. All this time I'd been trying to suss out what Isolde was into and it hadn't occurred to me until then that it wasn't what Isolde was into but what Priam got her into.”

Hermione looked up in shock at Harry and asked.

“Was Priam involved in something dangerous?”

Harry shrugged as he answered.

“That depends on whether or not you consider being a member of the Obsidian Order dangerous.”

Hermione gasped.

“Priam Melbourne was a member of the Obsidian Order!”

Harry nodded.

“Yes he was…and unless I'm way wide of the mark I reckon it got him killed.”

A/N: I know it's been a while and yes that is quite a cliffy but hang on just a bit longer and I promise you it'll be worth the wait. Happy Reading….

-->

17. Discovery


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 15: Discovery

Hermione stared at Harry in amazement as she processed the news he'd just delivered. Shocked beyond words Hermione sat mute and still as stone for several minutes before she found her voice and asked in a hushed whisper.

“How did you manage to figure out Priam Melbourne was a member of the Obsidian Order?”

Harry smiled as he caught the hint of wonder in Hermione's voice. Of the trio, it was always Hermione who did all the finding of obscure facts, he and Ron had always been more hands on so to speak. At the thought of Ron Harry automatically reached for his wand; a slivery jet shaped like a Horntail burst out of the tip of his wand and went streaking through the fireplace. Harry turned to Hermione and said.

“I don't think he'd want to miss this and I doubt I'd be up for telling it twice.”

Hermione nodded and somewhat wobbly rose to her feet. As she made her way to the door she called back over her shoulder.

“I'll put the kettle on and make sandwiches.”

Hermione had just cleared the door when a bleary-eyed, pajama-clad Ron Weasley appeared at Harry's shoulder crouched in a defensive stance, wand raised and at the ready. Groggily he muttered.

“Whasamadda…”

Harry grabbed Ron's wrist and gently lowered his wand arm towards the floor and cutting off his query said.

“No need for alarm nothings the matter Ron…”

Ron turned to look at Harry quizzically as he said.

“Nothings the matter…but you sent a fire-breathing Horntail patronous…that's the sign for eminent danger.”

Harry shook his head.

“I didn't send a fire-breathing Horntail patronous Ron; it was just the standard roaring Horntail patronous we always use for critical information relays. I've uncovered some interesting news about the Melbourne case. ”

An annoyed expression covered Ron's face as he turned to his best mate and former partner and said.

“You mean to tell me you got me out of bed at four in the bloody morning because you found out something about Agamennous Melbourne's mental daughter!”

Ron's voice rose at least two octaves on the last bit. Harry's reply was nonplussed.

“Actually, it's more to do with her brother Priam but as the two are so closely linked there's really no point to arguing semantics.”

Ron's eyes narrowed as he opened his mouth to reply but whatever Ron had been about to say was lost as Hermione reentered the room carrying a tray of smoked ham, egg and bacon sandwiches and three steaming cups of tea. Ron's expression lightened as he turned to face Hermione and relieved her of the tray. Grabbing one of the sandwiches and taking a huge bite he directed his attention back to Harry and asked around a mouthful of food as he dropped into one of the armchairs near the fireplace.

“So what's this big news you got e out of bed for?”

“You haven't told him yet?”

Hermione questioned Harry before he'd had a chance to respond to Ron's question. With a shake of his head replied.

“No…we had to sort through Ron's sleep-addled response to my patronous.”

Hermione nodded as she mouthed the word “Oh”. Ron shot them both nasty glares as he bit into his fourth sandwich and reiterated his question.

“Well…”

Seeing the anticipatory look on Ron's face, Harry took a deep breath and repeated the words he'd spoken to Hermione earlier.

“I got talking with Hermione's father at Sunday lunch and he got me to look at things from a different point of view which got me thinking how close Isolde Melbourne was to her brother Priam which got me thinking maybe I ought to take a closer look at him and that proved to be the key to how all this mess got started…”

Harry paused for a beat then said.

“Priam Melbourne was a member of the Obsidian Order.”

Ron's eyes widened and he dropped the half eaten sandwich clutched in his hand as he rose from his seat.

“Did you just say that…that…that…Melbourne's son was a member of the Obsidian Order?”

Harry nodded. Ron shook his head, his face still showing shock and disbelief. Ron breathed deeply then asked.

“You're sure?”

Again Harry nodded. Ron expelled another deep breath and exclaimed.

“Bloody Hell!”

Following Ron's whispered exclamation Hermione reasserted herself into the conversation.

“Harry exactly how did you happen to find out that Priam Melbourne was a member of the Obsidian Order? I mean that's not exactly the sort of information that you're likely to find listed along with a person's birth certificate…members of the Obsidian Order don't usually make their allegiance public.”

Harry reached for a sandwich. He paused, took a bite, and then replied.

“No it's not the type of thing you find listed in a person's biography…”

Ron cut in, his words dripping with sarcasm.

“Oh I dunno I'm pretty sure I'd take out an ad in the Prophet if I were to join the oldest most terrible group of dark wizards known to wizardkind.”

Hermione tsked loudly.

“The Obsidian Order are not dark wizards Ron…”

Ron raised his eyebrows and in the same sarcastic tone as before said.

“Oh really…not dark wizards you say…well how in the name of Merlin do you explain all the really horrible dark arts spells and potions that were made by some nutter who happened to be a card carrying member of the Obsidian Order.”

Hermione rolled her eyes skyward and expelled a breath through her nose. Then in a rather put out tone she rebutted Ron's statement.

“Honestly Ron for someone who grew up in an entirely wizarding family your knowledge of wizarding history is appalling.”

Ron's would be infuriated reply was silenced by Hermione's raised finger and steely, reproachful glare. Seeing that Ron was properly quelled, she elaborated.

“What we know as the Obsidian Order and falsely believe to be a society of dark wizards is actually the last vestiges of a brotherhood of Celtic and Druid wizards who pioneered much of the magic we use today. Even the name the Obsidian Order is a convoluted bastardization of the original name of the organization. The group was originally known as the Onyx Knights, their sole purpose was to explore the varied uses the magic. They set down much of the magic we use today and without them modern-day wizardry would be in a sorry state indeed."

As Hermione finished her statement Ron interrupted with a scathing reply.

“Oh please Hermione, spare us the finer points of the Obsidian Order. Honestly, who cares what that lot used to be, the fact is that now they are a bunch of bloody nutters who go around using all the magic they know to hurt people, not to help Hermione but to hurt them.”

Hermione's eyes narrowed and she opened her mouth to retort no doubt disdainfully to Ron's mockery. Harry caught sight of the look marring Hermione's expression and decided to step in and stop the spat before it escalated into one of their legendary rows. Stepping between his wife and best friend Harry cleared his throat and said.

“Can the two of you agree to disagree? Or would you rather continue row and never know how I found out what Priam Melbourne was up to?”

Ron and Hermione glanced at each other then stared back at Harry before returning their gazes to fix on each other's faces once again staring at each other for a few brief seconds. The pair nodded and returning their attention back to Harry. Ron was the one to speak.

“Alright then mate get on with it… how did you find out that Melbourne's son was a member of the Obsidian Order?”

Having successfully stopped Ron and Hermione's fight a smile spread across Harry's face as he replied.

“Well, it's like I told the two of you before, I got to thinking that maybe we were looking at this thing from the wrong end of things. All this time we'd been focusing on Isolde and what she was doing. It never occurred to us to ask why. Why would a girl who had so much promise, fake her own death? Once I asked myself that it was honestly too easy. Here, she was having lost everything and everyone she held dear all in one go. I imagine she was angry, and she wanted answers, and I reckon she wanted someone to pay. But what did she want them to pay for? What had started all of this to begin with… then it hit me...Priam. All of a sudden, it became clear he was the key. He had to have been involved in something that said this chain of events in motion. Something dangerous… something that got him killed… something that made his sister want to avenge him. So I went looking for something in Priam Melbourne's past that someone might think was an important enough secret to kill for.”

Ron interjected.

“Hang on, you sussed out that this bloke was in the Obsidian Order just like that? Bloody hell Harry you are better at this investigating lark than I gave you credit for.”

Hermione chuckled.

“Don't be daft Ron; of course, it took more than that for Harry to figure this out. Clearly there's more to this story.”

Hermione turned her attention back to Harry and nodded for him to continue. Harry frowned at the implication of Hermione's words, while Ron stifled a snicker. Deciding to ignore his wife's cheek, Harry continued.

“I figured that the answer to all my questions lie in learning more about our mystery man Priam. So I set about finding out more about his life. Since Hermione is always going on and on about how great the Ministry's archives are I took a trip down to the Department of Mysteries to check out the Melbourne family tree. Not much out of the ordinary in that, but it did show me one thing. It seems our boy Priam was quite the scholar. Before he went off to Hogwarts preamp was featured in the Daily Prophet for a research paper he'd written on antediluvian forms of magic. Thankfully the Prophet took the liberty of reprinting the essay, and you'll never guess who the paper focused mostly on…”

A huge self-satisfied grin spread across Ron's countenance as he replied.

“The Obsidian Order…”

Harry returned Ron's grin with a matching one of his own.

“Too right you are Ron too right you are! Once I saw that I thought it'd be worth the trip to see what else our friend had gotten up to.”

Harry was interrupted again this time by Hermione.

“You thought it would be worth the trip? Harry, where did you go?”

Giving a nonchalant shrug, Harry replied.

“I went to the one place I was guaranteed to find artifacts from the life of Priam Melbourne…”

As those words rolled past Harry's lips Hermione's eyes widened in their sockets, she gasped and called out in whole screeching voice.

“Harry, you didn't!”

Harry stared back at Hermione non-pulsed and answered.

“Hermione, everything is fine, he wasn't home…”

Hermione cut across Harry's explanation and retorted hotly.

“Everything is fine… he wasn't home… Merlin Harry do you hear yourself? You broke into your superior's house! If you'd been caught more than your job would've been on the line. Good Lord Harry, Melbourne has been asked to use since the day you started auror training…”

Hermione's words were interrupted by Ron's triumphant laughter.

“Brilliant Harry brilliant, you broke into Agamennous Melbourne's house. Bloody hell, I wish I could've been there with you. Please tell me that you got some good dirt on him, tell me that he wears ladies knickers or something like that.”

Harry smiled wryly as he shook his head.

“Sorry Ron I can't help you there… I was sort of focused at the time. So I wasn't paying much attention to Melbourne's habits.”

Hermione grunted in exasperation. Harry and Ron both turned to look at her.

“I honestly don't believe the pair of you… Harry just broke into his superior's house and all you can think of Ron is whether or not Melbourne wears ladies knickers! You two are completely mental!”

Harry could see the Hermione was working herself into a right fine strop. Harry covered the distance between them in two strides; he lovingly wrapped his arms around Hermione's waist and said.

“Love. I was never in any danger. Melbourne is presently out of town. I just wanted to do a little looking around.”

Hermione nodded and answered back quietly.

“It was still a stupid thing to do.”

“Well, I've never claimed to be the brains of this outfit.”

As he spoke, Harry pulled Hermione closer to him. Reaching down, he tilted her chin up so that she was staring directly into his gorgeous green eyes. And impishly infectious smile touch the corners of his mouth and as Hermione caught sight of it she couldn't help smiling herself.

“Just so long as you don't forget that.”

“I won't.”

Harry leaned forward and pressed his lips against Hermione's. Before either of them had the chance to consider deepening the kiss Ron cleared his throat loudly reminding the newlyweds that they were not alone.

“Geez you two give it a rest…what exactly did you find out Harry?”

Harry turned his attention back to Ron though he did not relinquish his hold on his wife.

“I hadn't really planned on going to Melbourne's place but once I saw that essay it got me thinking that maybe there was something Priam had left behind…some clue of some sort. I figured that Melbourne probably still had most of Priam and Isolde's stuff packed away somewhere. And seeing as how I already knew he would be out of town for a few days I didn't think it'd hurt to pop over to his cottage and have a poke around.”

Hermione looked up at Harry and queried.

“How did you manage to get inside Melbourne's house? You would think that an auror would have all sorts of wards and defenses up to keep people out.”

Harry answered back.

“Of course he had wards up, but like most aurors they were far too simple and insufficient to stop me from getting around them.”

Ron added in.

“Yeah aurors are the worst when it comes to setting up wards…it's like they think criminals are too afraid to go after them.”

Harry shrugged.

“I'm not sure what it is all I know is that I was able to get in and find exactly what I needed.”

“Which was?”

Hermione's question hung in the air for a moment as Harry dug into his back pocket and produced a small book. He handed the book to Hermione and said.

“Unless I'm very much mistaken, I think you'll find answers to our little journal in this book of Priam's.”

Hermione took the book from Harry's outstretched hand and began thumbing through it. Hermione turned back to look at Harry and whispered.

“Harry the writing in this book..it…it…it's exactly the same as in the pictures from all your cases.”

Harry nodded.

“Yes it is, but with one exception…Priam's book doesn't leave off without telling you what all those ruddy symbols really mean.”

-->

18. The Clarity of Baby Names


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 16: The Clarity of Baby Names

Hermione Granger-Potter sat behind her desk drumming her fingers on the desk as she stared at the two open journals lying before her. It had been two days since Harry had broken into Agamennous Melbourne's house and nicked Priam's journal. And in that span of time the rush of excitement that came with finally being able to sort out the mysterious symbols and the motivations of the thought to be dead Isolde Melbourne had faded. In its place was a sense of unease Hermione could not shake no matter how hard she tried. At first she could hardly believe the happy coincidence of Harry getting into Melbourne's house unnoticed and finding the one thing that was bound to unlock all of the answers to their questions. But the more she had thought about it the more unlikely it seemed. How was it that Harry had managed to find the journal? Why wasn't it hidden away somewhere? And if Harry'd managed to find it why hadn't Agamennous Melbourne stumbled across it before?

When she'd voiced these concerns to Harry and Ron they had as they tended to do, downplayed her worries. Harry had explained that the journal hadn't been in plain sight lying on the coffee table in the lounge rom. It had been packed away alongside a cache of Priam's old school things in a dusty back corner of the attic. Harry reckoned that Melbourne had probably never realized what the journal truly was or the significance of it was. He and Ron were of the mind that Melbourne had probably as much insight into his children's lives and what they got up to as he did about the aurors under his command. Hermione wasn't as certain about that as Harry and Ron were. Something told her that Melbourne was a much better father than he was a boss, she also speculated that some of Melbourne's toughness as head of the auror department had to do with the loss of his own children so tragically. She was beginning to think that he purposely took the hard line in an effort to make sure that his young charges didn't veer too far off the chosen path.

And then there was the matter of Isolde. Everyone ought that she had taken her own life due to her grief over the loss of her brother and mother. But Harry, Hermione and Ron knew this wasn't the case considering that they'd seen evidence that suggested that Isolde was not dead. And if that was true, that Isolde was not dead, Priam's journal did nothing to answer the questions about his sister and who and what she had become. Harry had formed the notion that close as they were Isolde would have known that Priam was involved with the Obsidian Order. He also thought that Isolde blamed the Order for her brother's death and had faked her own death so that she could go after the organization that she believed had killed her brother. And while that did indeed seem likely Hermione couldn't help thinking that something was missing in Harry's theory.

Hermione sighed in exasperation and increased the tempo of her drumming fingers as she continued to stare at the open journals. As she sat lost in her thoughts the side door that led to the outer offices of the Department of Mysteries opened and in stepped Hermione's assistant Daphne Greenfendle. Daphne stared at her superior with a quizzical expression. Stepping fully into the room Daphne quietly called out to Hermione.

“Hermione…”

Pulled from her internal deliberations by the sound of her name, Hermione looked up and graced her assistant with a smile. It had taken months for her to convince Daphne to call her by her given name and cease with the formality of referring to her as Ms. Granger or Mrs. Granger-Potter. After all she was not even ten years older than the other girl and scarcely felt the need for titles and professional ceremony between them. Smiling, Hermione responded.

“Yes Daphne, was there something you needed?”

Shaking her head Daphne replied.

“No there's nothing I need…its just that its nearly half past two and according to your personal calendar you've an appointment with Healer O'Halleran at half past two.”

It took a second for Hermione to process what Daphne had said. As she processed Daphne's words Hermione jumped awkwardly up from her desk in a panic. She rounded the desk as quickly as her gestating physique would allow. Seizing her cloak and her handbag from the coat rack by the door Hermione called out in exasperation.

“Oh bugger! It completely slipped my mind. I'll be late and Harry was supposed to meet me there!”

Leaning back across her desk Hermione grabbed both journals and her wand and shoved them inside her bag. Padding towards the door with Daphne close on her heels Hermione spoke.

“Daphne cancel all the appointments I booked for the remainder of this afternoon and be sure to put away those translations I've got to complete for Mr. Moore.”

Daphne a hurried “Yes of course”. Hermione muttered under her breath.

“Blast I'll never make it in time unless I apparate and I'll likely splinch myself in the process.”

Daphne spoke up.

“Splinch yourself?”

Hearing the concern in her assistant's voice Hermione stopped and answered back saying.

“Well not actually splinch myself, its far more likely that I'd go crashing into a table or something like that.”

Seeing the slightly confused look on Daphne's face Hermione added.

“Pregnancy tends to wreck havoc on one's ability to apparate properly.”

Daphne offered an alternative.

“You could use the departmental floo.”

Hermione considered the offer.

“I suppose I could but I'm not sure all that spinning would produce any improvements with my ability to remain erect.”

“Oh…well what about side along…I could apparate you there.”

“Daphne that's very sweet of you to offer but it won't be necessary…”

At the sound of Harry's voice both Hermione and Daphne turned around. Daphne was the first to speak.

“Hello Mr. Potter.”

Harry replied.

“Hello Daphne and I thought we'd established that its Harry.”

Daphne nodded in response as Hermione chimed in.

“Harry what are you doing here, you should be at Healer O'Halleran's office…”

Harry interjected.

“I was there and when I didn't see you I reckoned you'd lost track of time and so I came to fetch you.”

Daphne spoke again.

“Speaking of…if you plan on making it back in time you've got about two minutes.”

Harry wrapped an arm around Hermione's waist and looking at Daphne said.

“You're an absolute treasure. Once you lock up here take the rest of the day off.”

With a wink and a grin Harry and Hermione disapparated with a pop. Daphne gave a chuckle as she turned and set about closing the office for the rest of the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well it looks like we're about done here…unless you two have changed your minds and would like to know what you're having.”

Healer Meagan O'Halleran stood before her most famous clients awaiting an answer. Harry ran a hand through his unruly raven locks, casting a sideways glance at his wife asked.

“You can tell whether it's a boy or a girl now?”

Meagan nodded.

“Hermione's finally reached the stage of the pregnancy where both her magical aura and that of the baby have calmed and one can be distinguished from the other.”

Upon hearing that Hermione inquired.

“My magical aura has calmed…does that mean I'll be able to apparate without destroying innocuously placed furniture.”

Meagan giggled as she answered.

“Any magical disruptions you've been experiencing should subside now that your aura's righted itself.”

Hermione nodded then asked.

“And will my inability to focus improve as well.”

Meagan shook her head as she answered back.

“I'm afraid that your inability to focus has less to do with your pregnancy and more to do with the hours you've been keeping at work.”

Throwing her gaze in Harry's direction she added.

“I'd recommend a little more rest and relaxation.”

Harry interposed into the conversation and said.

“I suppose its time to start thinking about taking off from work until our son makes his arrival, eh.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

“You have no proof that this baby is a boy, it could very well be a girl.”

Harry shook his head at his wife's words.

“Ahh how quickly they forget. I've seen the future love, and that there is young master James Sirius Potter our darling angel Lily won't be with us for a few years yet.”

Hermione rolled her eyes again as Meagan cut in. Holding her wand in one hand and a vial containing a pinkish purple potion in the other she said.

“I can settle this argument for you two once and for all. A sip of this and a wave of my wand will tell you for sure if it's a girl or a boy.”

Hermione shook her head.

“Thank you for the offer Meagan but we want to be surprised.”

Harry added in.

“She wants to be surprised. Won't bloody listen to a word I say.”

Meagan laughed in earnest then.

“Alright if you two haven't got any other questions I'll see you in another three weeks.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry strode into the bedroom clad in only a towel, his gaze fell upon his wife who was propped up in bed two journals lying in her lap. Harry crossed the room and stopped at Hermione's side. Reaching down he lifted the journals from her lap and tossed them across the room. Stunned by her husband's actions Hermione looked up and was about to ask Harry why he had done such a thing. But she never got the chance for at the exact moment that she looked at him Harry's lips met hers in a loving kiss. Hermione returned his kiss instinctively. Their kisses were tender and sweet as he pressed his body against Hermione's. Hermione moaned as Harry's hands began to trail across the familiar curves of her body. They pulled apart for an instant and Harry looked into Hermione's eyes and whispered the words “Gods you are so beautiful”. Harry lowered his head and reclaimed her lips. Harry lightly pressed his lips to the throbbing pulse at the base of Hermione's neck and heard her moan his name. A faint smile flickered across his face as he began to trail kisses along her neck, Hermione allowed her hands to trail down Harry's body and slid them down the length of his body dislodging the towel from around his waist. Harry moved his hands underneath the nightshirt Hermione was wearing. He quickly rid her of her the thin material. Harry pulled Hermione closer into his arms and their lips met in a fiercely passionate kiss. Harry traced the seam of her lips with his tongue seeking entrance. Hermione granted his request and entwined her tongue with his while her slender hands roamed and caressed his back and shoulders. As the kiss deepened Harry rolled over onto his back pulling Hermione atop him. Hermione wrapped herself around Harry. Harry moaned lustfully and lost himself in the wondrous feeling of being with the woman he loved more than life itself.

Following their interlude Harry and Hermione lay in each other arms for quite some time oblivious to all else around them. Hermione turned closer into Harry's arms and snuggled deeper into his embrace. She turned her face towards her husband and tracing a finger along his jaw inquired.

“James Sirius, eh?”

Harry's response was a quizzical.

“Huh ?”

Hermione rephrased her query.

“This afternoon when we were at Meagan office and you reiterated your steadfast belief that the baby is a boy you called him James Sirius.”

Harry expelled a breath.

“I guess I've always imagined that my first born son would bear the names of the two men who meant the most to me in this world.”

Hermione interjected.

“And by the same token you imagine your daughter bearing the name of your mother.”

Harry nodded.

“Yeah I suppose I have. Would it bother you having our children named after my mum and dad and Sirius?”

Hermione shook her head.

“It wouldn't bother me at all. I think its a lovely way to give our children a connection to their grandparents, a way for your family to live on through…”

Hermione suddenly left off what she was about to say. An expression of revelation spread across her face as she sat bolt upright in bed and said.

“Bloody hell…that's it…I don't know why I didn't see it before…its so obvious I don't know how I could have missed it before!”

Harry sat up confusion marring his face.

“Hermione what on earth are you on about?”

As the words left his mouth Hermione summoned Priam's journal and the collection of photographs that Harry had amassed while working the case. She simultaneously answered Harry's query.

“Something has been bugging me about this journal nearly from the moment you brought it home. It just didn't make sense that Priam would be so careless with something so vital. And with Melbourne being such a capable auror and all that he'd gone through to find out what happened to his son that he'd miss something as vital as a journal that could have explained everything. It just never made sense…until this very moment…until I said that naming the baby after your parents is a way to keep them alive.”

Hermione flipped the journal to the pages that held the untranslated symbols. She then riffled through the photographs until she found one where the symbols were clearest. She held the two objects out to Harry and resumed speaking.

“Do you see…they're exactly the same…”

Harry stared at the symbols in the journal and in the photograph, his confusion was multiplied. Looking to Hermione he said.

“Yes they are the same symbols…that's why we need to figure out what they mean…”

Hermione cut across him. Jabbing her index fingers at both the journal and the photograph she exclaimed.

“No they are exactly alike!”

Harry refocused his attention o both sets of symbols. He stared intently for nearly a minute before he saw what Hermione meant. His eyes followed the loops, curls and straight lines of the symbols, cataloging each detail. He lifted his gaze and met the eyes of his wife. His voice was barely audible as he whispered.

“How can this be?”

Hermione replied saying.

“We had it all wrong…the same person who made the symbols in these photographs wrote this journal. And as Priam's dead that can only mean that the journal belongs to Isolde…”

Harry cut in.

“Which means that Priam wasn't the one who belonged to the Obsidian Order…it was Isolde…it was Isolde all the time.”

A/N: I know its been ages. I hope this chapter was enough to gain a modicum of forgiveness.


-->

19. Bright Frilly Dress Robes And Dusty Old Tomes


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 17: Bright Frilly Dress Robes And Dusty Old Tomes

Harry leapt up off the bed and began pacing the floor.

“I can't believe this…all this time I've been convinced that Priam was the linchpin in all of this and it was Isolde all the time…but why…what in the name of Merlin could she have possibly been after?”

Hermione interjected.

“You weren't wrong about Priam being the key in all of this…I believe that everything Isolde has done has been because of her brother.”

Harry quit his pacing and turned to face his wife. Angling his head slightly to the left Harry asked.

“How do you mean?”

Hermione took a deep breath before she began to expound on her theory.

“We know from your little jaunt to the Ministry archives and to Melbourne's house that Priam had quite an interest in the Obsidian Order. And I am fairly certain that Priam's trip around the world to learn about foreign wizards before he took up his post in the International Wizarding Affairs Department was just a ruse to keep anyone from suspecting what he was really doing…”

Harry jumped in with a question.

“What do you think he was really doing?”

Hermione answered without hesitation.

“I think Priam was trying to prove himself worthy of the Obsidian Order.”

Harry looked askance at Hermione. Seeing his expression she continued without being asked to do so.

“Though it's not an association of dark wizards as most people believe the Obsidian Order, or as it should be more properly called the Onyx Knights, is a secret society. You have to be a certain sort of wizard to gain their trust and acceptance…”

Again Harry cut in.

“What do you mean a certain sort of wizard?”

“Think about it…they aren't all sitting around coming up with the next potato peeling charm or the newest beautifying enchantment are they. The original purpose of the Onyx Knights was to push magic to its full limit. To use magic to do what could never be done otherwise. The Onyx Knights wanted to do things like eradicate disease and illness, stop time and the aging process. They wanted to rewrite the very fabric of mankind and the world as we know it.”

“Seems to me like Ron may have been right about that lot. They sound like a much more hushed-up version of the Death Eaters!”

Hermione rolled her eyes at Harry's mention of Ron and his views.

“There is a major difference in the mindset of the Onyx Knights and the Death Eaters…what the Onyx Knights were trying to do was benefit all people, wizard and muggle alike.”

Harry tsked snidely.

“That may have been there intention Hermione but whenever a person sets out to alter the natural order of things…to gain control and power over outcomes and events you create a thirst and a lust for a power that can never be quenched. Its that kind of thinking that leads a person to lose their humanity…its that kind of thinking that produces the kind of people I hunt down everyday.”

Hermione laid a hand on Harry's forearm and gently rubbed back and forth in an effort to calm his ire before it took too much of a hold.

“You're absolutely right and I suppose that's what caused the split.”

“Split, what split?”

“The split that ended the Onyx Knights of course. As you've pointed out, absolute power corrupts absolutely, the Onyx Knights found that out the hard way. In their quest to conquer mankind's limitations through magic they came to find that not all members of their brotherhood were as altruistic as it had been thought. They began to see some members using their magic for their own selfish ends. The founders tried to intervene and restore some sense of the Order's original purpose by restricting the use of certain spells by certain members. The theory was that as a wizard proved himself or herself worthy to the task then and only then would they be trusted with more complex magic.”

Hermione paused and allowed Harry to absorb that bit of information before continuing on.

“The elders of the Knights decided that the best way to enact their plan was to catalog all the knowledge they'd amassed and kept it among those members who had shown themselves to be the most trustworthy. As others were brought into the inner circle as it came to be called this knowledge would be shared with them. Well you can imagine that this new way of thinking hardly went over well with that group of usurpers that were causing all the trouble.”

Harry nodded.

“People don't take to kindly to having power taken away once they've had a taste of it.”

Hermione went on.

“Exactly. Those who were left out of the inner circle set about trying to turn the more weak minded members against the founders so that they could gain control of the Knights Book of Spells. They succeeded in creating an uprising but they didn't manage to get the book. The insurrection effectively ended the Onyx Knights, the group split into several different incarnations each taking a different name.”

Hermione held up her hand and began listing off names.

“There were the Ebony Lords, the Knights of Darkness, the Magical Order of Knights and of course the Obsidian Order. The members of the Obsidian Order wanted to remain true to the original purpose of the Onyx Knights but by then stories of a secret society of wizards bent on domination of the world had spread far and wide. It was said that these wizards possessed the secret to immortality, that they could resurrect the dead. Hence the belief that the Obsidian Order is some sect devoted to the worst kinds of magic.”

Harry chewed his lower lip as he puzzled over Hermione's last words.

“People thought that the Obsidian Order could resurrect the dead!”

Hermione bobbed her head up and down to signify that Harry's assertion was correct. Mulling that piece of information over in his mind Harry surmised.

“You reckon that Isolde Melbourne would've known all these stories seeing as how she and Priam were so close and he had this preoccupation with the Order and that she faked her own death to get at the Knights Book of Spells.”

Again Hermione nodded.

“Yes I think that Priam went out searching for the Order. And whoever or whatever he got himself mixed up with was directly responsible for what happened to him. And I am almost certain that Isolde faked her own death so that she could exact revenge for her brother's death and find out if the Book of Spells truly exists.”

“Because if the stories are true and the Book of Spells truly does exist then there's a chance she can get her family back.”

Harry's words were followed by several seconds of heavy silence which he himself broke when he added.

“Excellent theory but its just that, a theory, we haven't got a way to prove a bit of it which puts us right back where we started with more questions than we have answers.”

Hermione furrowed her brow and her eyes took on a steely glint as she said.

“We've sorted out tougher mysteries than this before and we'll sort this one out too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a quiet Saturday that found both Harry and Hermione prowling the halls of Grimmauld Place. It was a rare occasion to find both the Potters home on the same evening let alone on a Saturday but as luck would have it Hermione, who normally had weekends off, had elected not to go and get ahead of things for next week. Harry had joked that she hadn't gone in because she'd probably done everything that there was to do. Though she had chucked the book she'd been reading at him and called him a cheeky git Hermione had to concede that her husband knew her well. Harry's day of freedom was one of complete and total orchestration. Much to the surprise of Kingsley Shacklebolt and Agamennous Melbourne Harry had asked for the weekend off. He'd said he wanted to start taking more time off to be there for Hermione and to prepare for the baby's arrival and while that was true it was also true that he was just plain knackered. In the weeks since Harry and Hermione had figured out the latest twist in the ongoing saga of Isolde Melbourne Harry'd been going top speed at work, putting in fourteen hour days and even putting in three overnight surveillances. And that wasn't even counting the hours he put in towards his sideline of investigating Isolde. Thus when the opportunity to take a few days to himself without a thought for anything had arisen Harry jumped at the chance.

He was presently sprawled across the large comfortable couch in the downstairs lounge, mindlessly flipping through the channels on the telly as he munched his way through a massive ham and turkey sandwich worthy of Ron. Harry'd just settled on a program when he heard a sharp rapping at the door. Setting his sandwich and the remote on the coffee table Harry leapt off the couch and trudged to the door. Without bothering to ask who was there (Grimmauld was equipped with a cloaking charm that only made the residence visible to a select group of people, mainly close friends and family) he opened the door and smiled as he caught sight of Paige standing on the door step.

“Well if it isn't the prettiest healer in London!”

“Oh go on! I bet you say that to all the healers you meet.”

Harry replied mischievously.

“Only the one's with lovely bits like yours.”

Paige replied with a roll of her eyes and with a warm smile said.

“Better not let Hermione hear you going on like that.”

Harry returned the smile as he ushered Paige inside the house. Placing a quick peck to her cheek Harry added playfully.

“You needn't worry about the missus, I'm rather certain she'd agree that your bits truly are lovely. Shall we ask her?”

Before Paige had a chance to react Harry's voice boomed across the foyer as he called out to Hermione.

“Love, don't you reckon that Paige's got lovely bits?!!”

Shock registered on her face and her eyes went wide at Harry's exclamation. Before Paige could fashion a thing to say Hermione's voice preceded her into the room.

“What are you on about?!”

Paige stepped into the downstairs lounge just as Hermione came up the hallway from the direction of the below stairs kitchen. A quizzical expression marred her face. Harry smiled and said.

“Paige and her lovely bits have come up to see us.”

That said Harry dropped back onto the couch, picked up his sandwich and taking a healthy bite, resumed his channel surfing. Hermione stared at her husband for a moment then with a shake of her head turned to greet her guest. Smiling warmly Hermione covered the distance separating them and embraced her friend.

“Paige it's wonderful to see you.”

Paige returned the affectionate hug.

“It's lovely to see you as well. Judging from the look about you marriage and motherhood are agreeing with you.”

Casting a glance at Harry, Hermione absentmindedly ran a hand across her protruding belly and replied.

“I suppose it does at that.”

Paige chuckled as she spoke again.

“It does…it truly does.”

Hermione nodded.

“I haven't seen you in ages but from the look of you I'd say you've been keeping well enough.”

Hermione eyed Paige and added.

“Seen Charlie lately?”

A crimson tinge stained Paige's cheeks as she replied.

“It's been very busy at St. Mungos and…and…”

Paige stopped for a beat the crimson tinge in her cheeks deepening and added.

“Charlie popped in for a few hours last night…”

Hermione cut in.

“Yes it rather shows.”

At Hermione's words Paige went positively scarlet. Sooner than either witch could voice another word Harry switched off the television and rising to his feet said.

“I'll leave you ladies to it before the pair of you creates a need for me to oblivarate myself.”

Hermione and Paige shared a laugh as Harry exited the room. Paige then turned to Hermione and said.

“I hope I haven't come at a bad time. I know how rare it is for you two to manage to get the same day off…”

Waving off Paige's concern Hermione interposed.

“No rarer than you and Charlie getting any time alone…think nothing of it. Now then sit yourself down and tell me what's been going on with you.”

The two women sat down on the couch and caught each other up on the happenings in their lives. They discussed work, Hermione's pregnancy and of course Paige's impending wedding.

“So we've finally given in and decided to let Molly have run of the wedding planning. With my schedule at hospital and Charlie being off in Romania it just makes the most sense to turn things over to someone who's got time to oversee things properly.”

Hermione nodded at Paige's words. Paige continued.

“And Fleur's volunteered to keep Molly from going too far overboard. Although Charlie reckons we need someone to keep Fleur in hand.”

Hermione laughed out loud.

“Charlie may be right.”

Paige smiled.

“Yes he may be. Traditionally that would be the maid of honor's job but as I haven't got one its all down to Fleur.”

“Fleur isn't your maid of honor then.”

Paige shook her head.

“Most likely Fleur will be one of the bridesmaids but I haven't gotten around to asking my would be maid of honor if she'll stand up with me.”

Again Hermione nodded.

“Well I'm sure she'll be flattered you've asked and more than pleased to stand up with you.”

Paige grinned.

“I'm glad to hear you say that considering that I'm asking you.”

Hermione's eyes widened in shock as Paige's words registered.

“You're asking me to be your maid of honor?”

Paige nodded. The shock still showing on her face Hermione queried further.

“Not that I'm not flattered that you've thought of me but surely you've a childhood friend, or family member that you'd rather stand up with you.”

Paige shook her head.

“I was never much for socializing and I doubt that Samantha Brecks would consent to being my maid of honor seeing as how I haven't spoken to her since we were eight and her family moved to Broome. As for my family the only person who'd qualify would be my cousin Ophelia and I'd rather French kiss a chimera than have to suffer through that.”

Hermione burst out laughing.

“She can't be as bad as all that.”

Paige rolled her eyes.

“You've never met her.”

Paige continued.

“The thing is I haven't very many people in my life that I call friends. Most of the ones I do have I have because of my relationship with Charlie…and don't misunderstand me I love Fleur, Luna, Angelina and all the rest to bits but I doubt we'd be as close as we are if I weren't marrying Charlie. But I think differently where you're concerned. We're so much alike I reckon we'd have hit it off even if I'd never met Charlie. Merlin knows as often as Harry lands himself in hospital we were bound to meet sooner or later.”

Paige stopped speaking and the two women shared a smile over Harry's tendency towards injury. As the moment passed Paige added.

“What I'm trying to say is that you're the closet thing I've got to a best friend, a fact which I rather like, and I'd be well pleased if you'd stand up with me at my wedding. So?”

Hermione smiled brightly as she replied.

“So long as we can find a pair of dress robes that don't make me look like some sort of massive Christmas bauble I'm in.”

Paige returned Hermione's smile and said.

“Funny you should mention the dress robes. I'm scheduled to meet Molly, Fleur, Ginny and Ophelia at Madame Malkin's in an hour to look at robes.”

Hermione pursed her lips together and rising from her perch on the couch said.

“I'll just go and tell Harry where I'm off to…”

Paige's smile widened into a full blown grin. As she headed for the stairs Hermione called back over her shoulders.

“I hope you and Charlie enjoy babysitting as you'll be doing quite a lot of it once this sprog is out!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The remainder of Hermione's Saturday was spent trying on every jeweled, ribboned, ruffled, bowed and sashed frilly robe in every ghastly color known to humankind. To top it off she had to contend with Molly and Fleur ooohhing and aaahing over the appalling monstrosities, Ginny's sour disposition and Ophelia's simpering distaste of absolutely everything. Needless to say they hadn't found one single thing they could agree on. To say that the ordeal had been hellish was an understatement, thus when Molly suggested they meet again tomorrow to see if they'd have better luck Hermione took advantage of her roles as maid of honor and the wife of Harry Potter. Without missing a beat Hermione had made use of Madame Malkin's fireplace to place a floo to designer Madame Elisavet Agapios. After explaining her predicament Madame Agapios readily agreed to design the robes. So as not to insult their host Hermione arranged for Madame Malkin to assist with fittings and the like.

By the time the group left the shop everyone was all abuzz at the sudden turn of events. Hermione, however, found she was wound a bit tight and in need of something to calm her nerves before heading home. And so after saying her goodbyes to everyone Hermione stopped off at Berlinker's Book Shop. Berlinker's was a relatively new establishment that specialized in rare and out of print materials. As she entered the shop the familiar dank and musky scent of old books edged with a generously thick helping of dust brought a sense of calm and content overcame her. Inclining her head at the shopkeeper's assistant behind the counter Hermione allowed her eyes to say she was only doing a bit of browsing. The brown haired wizard behind the counter smiled briefly in Hermione's direction before directing his attention back to the Daily Prophet he was reading.

Hermione spent the next hour wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles of the shop trailing her fingers across the cracked leather covers and the dog-eared parchment pages of the various volumes and manuscripts lining the shelves and tables that cluttered the shop. At her side a stack of seven books that she intended to purchase levitated. Hermione had just started to head for the counter when out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of a table piled high with books labeled “Rare Antediluvian Texts”. Ever the bookworm Hermione couldn't resist taking a look. Buried near the bottom of the pile Hermione came across an exquisitely bound tome. The cover was encrusted with glittering black stones and the pages were edged in silver. Captivated by the beauty of the volume Hermione carefully flipped it open and began reading. The book was written in ancient Celtic in which Hermione was fluent. She had read several pages when she realized that the book wasn't exactly a book but was more like a personal journal of spells. As she continued her perusal through the book cum journal Hermione began to notice some very familiar spells and symbols. Her heart rate quickened as she came to the realization that the familiar spells and symbols were one and the same as those in Isolde's journal. Feeling the weight of the jewel encrusted cover against her palms Hermione was struck with a sudden notion. Hastily she thumbed through the pages, eyes searching frantically for the information that couldn't possibly be there. And then she saw it, the standard of Anrai, the high priest of the Knights of Onyx. Clutching the volume to her chest Hermione made for the counter, her other purchases hung forgotten in mid-air. She must hurry home to show Harry what she had found, the fabled Knights Book of Spells.

-->

20. A Visit With The Deputy Minister


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 18: A Visit With The Deputy Minister

Harry was awakened by the sound of rustling parchment and the dim glow of candlelight. A frown creased his brow as he directed his bleary gaze to the other side of the bed where he could just make out Hermione propped up in bed surrounded by roles of parchment, his and Isolde's journals and the jewel-studded Book of Spells. Harry cast a glance over to the bedside table; the clock registered 3:15 am. Harry's frown deepened. Ever since she had found that blasted book three weeks prior and come barreling into the house shrieking at the top of her lungs for him to come quickly Hermione had become more that a bit obsessed. Initially, Harry'd been as gung-ho as Hermione at what she had happened upon and the possible answers it held but his enthusiasm wore off quickly enough. After three or four days of working at Hermione's side trying to sort out the book had reminded Harry why he had always been the muscle amongst their trio. Despite Harry's hands off approach Hermione had pushed ahead determined to get to the bottom of things. Her single minded determination had resulted in more than a few sleepless nights and Harry'd had enough. Pushing himself into a sitting position Harry spoke.

“Have you any idea what time it is?”

Hermione spared her husband the briefest of glances as she replied.

“Sorry I woke you. I'll apply a dimmer and a muffliato so you can get back to sleep shall I.”

Hermione reached down and picked up her wand from among the parchment scattered about the bed. Sighing in exasperation Harry answered back.

“Hermione its past three in the morning!”

The frustration was so apparent in Harry's voice that Hermione stopped what she was doing and devoted her full attention to her husband. Seeing the narked expression covering his face Hermione queried.

“Harry is something wrong?”

With a shake of his head Harry replied.

“You know most men who are awakened at three in the morning by their pregnant wives usually find it has something to do with some odd craving or another not from their obsession with a bloody book…”

Hermione frowned and interrupted.

“I'd hardly say I'm obsessed…”

Harry overrode her words with his own.

“Not obsessed! Hermione look at yourself. You're sitting up at the most unholy hour of the morning possible thumbing through that blasted book yet again. Ever since you brought the bloody thing home you've been focused on it night and day. You rush through your assignments at work so you can get back to it and the moment you walk through the door its all you do until you go to bed…if you go to bed at all. For Merlin's sake Hermione you're pregnant…you need to take better care of yourself!”

Hermione's eyes narrowed as she curtly retorted.

“That's a laugh coming from the man who has devoted nearly a year to figuring out this entire mess. You've stolen and concealed evidence, used your honeymoon as a cover to investigate a case you'd been kicked off of and broken into the home of your direct superior, and that isn't even mentioning the fact that if it wasn't for you having dragged me into this crusade of yours in the first place I wouldn't be as you say obsessed. So tell me oh wise husband of mine who is really the obsessed one here!”

Harry jumped in.

“The honeymoon was your idea and I'm not pregnant!”

“The honeymoon was my idea because I knew I'd never survive a month of your brooding and scheming and my being pregnant, just like my being involved in this bloody case, is your fault!”

Hermione took a deep breath before going on. When she spoke again her voice sounded as though she was on the verge of tears.

“I really can not believe that you would insinuate that I am a bad mother.”

A look of disbelief shone on Harry's face.

“I never said you were a bad mother…I never would say that.”

“You may as well have…saying I need to take better care of myself…what's that if its not saying I'm a bad mother.”

Harry reached out and grabbed his wife's hand, squeezing it gently he replied in a loving yet firm tone.

“Its your git of a husband trying to be concerned about you and bungling it up rather badly.”

Harry paused and waited for the faint smile that turned the corners of Hermione's mouth upward. Seeing her smile Harry pressed on.

“You're absolutely right it is my fault that you're involved in all this, which makes it my responsibility to see to it that you're taken care of. I know you're only trying to help me sort through things but I'll not let you carry on like this any longer.”

Hermione cut in.

“You won't let me carry on like what any longer?”

Harry replied succinctly.

“No more of these all night translation sessions and obsessing over this ruddy book. This case has been nearly a year in the making, if its already taken that long to suss out what's a few more months.”

Hermione posed another question.

“You want me to give up trying to translate the Book of Spells?”

Harry shook his head.

“I'm not asking you to give up anything, love. I know that this case has become as important to you as it is to me. I just think it'd be better for us both if we pulled back a bit and concentrated on more important things…”

Harry let go of Hermione's hand and reached out to caress her protruding belly and added.

“Like this little one of ours.”

Hermione smiled at the endearing action. She intertwined her fingers with his and said.

“We really should get started on the nursery. I am midway through my second trimester, this one will be here sooner than we can imagine.”

Harry smiled.

“Exactly, we've the baby to prepare for and Paige and Charlie's wedding is just around the corner, maybe we should look into taking time off from work soon, really take some time for just us.”

Hermione's eyes widened in surprise. She stared intently at Harry before saying.

“You're really serious about this aren't you?”

Harry nodded.

“Yeah I am.”

Hermione gnawed her lip thoughtfully as she added.

“So the fact that I've finally got the Book of the Spells and the journal figured out doesn't matter to you in the least.”

Harry shook his head.

“That doesn't matter to me at…you what?”

Hermione chuckled as she answered.

“I figured out the Book of Spells and Isolde's journal.”

Harry stammered a series of querying words.

“When…how…what?”

Hermione answered Harry's questions.

“Well it's been a three week process but I worked out the last bit of it tonight. As for how, once the code was broken the translations were fairly simple. The what…well that's the interesting part.”

Hermione spent the next half hour explaining the process of decoding and translating the Book of Spells. By the time she was finished Harry was utterly gobsmacked. He sat staring at the Book of Spells for a moment before he spoke.

“So you're saying that the Knights split the Book of Spells into two parts so that no one would be able to perform the spells in it.”

Hermione nodded.

“It's really rather brilliant when you think of it. If a person managed to get hold of one of the books and was able to break Anrai's code and translate the ancient Celtic they'd still be lost because without both books they'd never be able to even attempt any of the spells.”

Harry interrupted Hermione's appreciation for the inner workings of the minds of the Knights of Onyx.

“But if you need both books to do the spells how in the name of Morganna did Isolde manage to work things out?”

Hermione replied.

“Isolde has the other book.”

“What…where could she have gotten it?!”

“From Priam.”

Harry was about to ask another question but Hermione held up a hand to silence him.

“When Priam took his self imposed sabbatical, that's what he was truly up to. He was searching for the Book of Spells. I imagine he found it in its original hiding place which would explain his inexplicable illness, no doubt it was a curse he picked up from the book's hiding place.”

Harry was suddenly immensely glad that Bill had given the book a thorough once over before Hermione had begun her attempts to decipher the text. His attention was drawn back to Hermione as she continued with her theory.

“I'm certain that Priam brought the book back with him and as close as he was to his sister I can't imagine that he wouldn't have told her what he'd found. Once Priam and then her mother died I think Isolde got it in mind to use the book to bring them back. With her father being an auror there was no way she could do what she needed in his presence, so she faked her own death and set off to bring back her mum and brother. Of course it wouldn't work her not having the second book. I don't believe that Isolde knew that right off though. From all I've learned about her she hadn't studied any ancient languages so she would have had to learn Celtic to even begin to understand and decode the book. After she mastered that who knows how long it took her to determine that she was missing a portion of the spells.”

Harry interjected.

“That's why the last symbols seemed awkward…she's trying to work out the rest of the spell on her own.”

Hermione nodded.

“Exactly. She knows something is missing but she doesn't know what.”

Silence descended for a few moments before Harry posed a question.

“Is there any chance that there's really a spell in these books to resurrect the dead?”

Hermione shook her head.

“I haven't seen anything that suggests that there is and I imagine if Anrai had known such a spell he'd still be around.”

Harry let out a laugh.

“I reckon you're right at that.”

Hermione posed a question of her own.

“Now what do you reckon we should do?”

Harry sighed.

“I think its time we had a chat with the deputy minister.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agamennous Melbourne having just finished his afternoon tea was settling in to read the morning edition of the Prophet. This had been his Sunday ritual for as long as he could remember, he found he quite enjoyed the solitude these Sunday mornings afforded him. He had just unfolded the Prophet and begun reading the front page when he heard a sharp rapping at the front door. With a sigh he heaved himself up from his favorite armchair and plodded down the hallway to the door. He guessed it was some lost muggle seeking directions. As those were the only guests he ever received nowadays. Thus it was quite a shock to Agamennous when he opened his front door and found Harry Potter and his new and very pregnant bride standing on his front step.

“Potter what in the name of Merlin's beard are you doing here?”

“Good afternoon sir I know this is a bit untoward but I need to have a word with you concerning the Transylvania case that you turned over to Torrington.”

A displeased expression swathed Melbourne's as he replied.

“That case is none of your concern Potter, and you'd do well to get off my…”

Before Melbourne could finish his statement Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out the photograph of Isolde. Holding it up for Melbourne to see he said.

“We know about Isolde.”

Melbourne blanched at the sight of his daughter. He stepped aside and allowed Harry and Hermione to step inside. He then led the two into his study. Once inside he waved over his armchair for Hermione. After seeing that she was comfortable he drew up two chairs for himself and Harry but neither of them sat down. Melbourne turned to Harry and asked.

“Now then Potter, what exactly is it that you want?”

Harry's reply was three simple words.

“To help you.”

Melbourne's confusion was obvious in his tone.

“To help me…”

Harry cut across Melbourne's words in answer to the unspoken question.

“I want to help you because I know what its like to lose your entire family. Because I know what its like to be willing to do anything just to see them again. Because if I can't have back the part of my own family that I lost, the least I can do is help you get back what's left of yours.”

Melbourne looked at Harry with glassy eyes as he recognized how badly he had misjudged the young man standing before him. His voice was barely more than a whisper as he said.

“Thank you.”

Harry nodded and said.

Now then, what's say we work on getting you your daughter back.”

-->

21. How To Flush Out A Dead Witch


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 19: How To Flush Out A Dead Witch

Agamennous Melbourne sat back with a look of stunned incredulousness on his face. He could hardly believe what all he'd just heard. The things his own children had done, under the very roof in which he now sat, and all without his ever having one clue as to what had gone on. Closing his eyes, he bowed his head and shook it dejectedly. Seeing the distressed motion Hermione cut off what she had been saying and laying a comforting hand to Melbourne's shoulder asked.

“Minister Melbourne, are you alright?”

At the feel of Hermione's hand Agamennous opened his eyes and lifted his head. He offered her a weak smile as he replied.

“Thank you for your concern, but I assure you I am quite alright.”

Unconvinced Hermione inquired further.

“Are you certain sir? You seem a bit…er…overwhelmed.”

Agamennous smiled in earnest at the persistence of Hermione Potter. Something about her carriage and deportment had always reminded him of his own dear Hecuba. He now knew that it was not just an aging man's wistfulness that saw these characteristics in the younger woman but a true likeness in spirit. When he spoke his tone was somewhat lighter.

“Let us disregard the formality shall we, no more of this sir or minister this and deputy minister that…please call me Agamennous…”

Pausing for a moment, Melbourne glanced in Harry's direction and added.

“That goes for the pair of you.”

Harry stared after his boss with a look of shock on his face at being included in Melbourne's offer. Hermione generally got on well with most people with only the odd tosser here and there who found her too much to take. She was usually very well thought of by persons in authority and for that reason Harry had always guessed that Melbourne rather liked her. He'd reasoned that their close relationship had put Melbourne off her some. Harry's thoughts must have shown on his face as Melbourne's next words seemed to be reading them.

“Don't look so surprised Potter its not as if I dislike you. I just disagree with some of your more reckless methods.”

Hermione chimed in.

“You're not the only one.”

Harry rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath.

“Bloody fabulous, that's the last thing I need, my wife and my boss getting chummy.”

Hermione frowned slightly and was about to ask Harry what he'd said when Harry sensing the impending question changed the subject.

“Now that we've gotten Minis…er…umm…Agamennous up to speed…what's next…how do we go about stopping Isolde?”

Hermione looked between Harry and Agamennous and said.

“I been thinking about that and I believe that the answer is really rather simple.”

Hermione paused to make sure that she had both men's full attention before continuing.

“We've got the advantage. We know what Isolde is up to, we know that the spell she's looking for doesn't exist and we know that because we have the second book. And I'm absolutely certain that if Isolde knew there was a second Book of Spells she'd make a grab for it. So all we have to do is make it known that there is another book of spells and be ready when Isolde tries for it.”

Agamennous interjected with a question.

“And exactly how do we just as you say make it known that we have the second book of spells?”

Harry added his thoughts.

“And how do we even know that there are two books?”

Hermione smiled knowingly. It seemed that all aurors were hardwired for action and prone to overlooking the finer points of things to some degree. With a shake of her head Hermione replied.

“The Onyx Knights Books of Spells is one of the wizarding world's greatest legends. It's like the sorcerer's stone…so finding it would naturally be big news. As it's not your everyday item most wizards wouldn't know what it was if they happened to stumble across it in a bookshop but if the Department of Mysteries foremost authority on antediluvian magic just happened to stumble across it that would be another matter entirely.”

Harry chuckled.

“The truth as a ruse how novel!”

Hermione's smiled brightened.

“More often than not simplicity is the best course of action.”

Harry nodded his head in acknowledgement of Hermione's words before plodding on.

“So we spell the news about the Book of Spells and when Isolde comes to grab it we grab her.”

Melbourne frowned as he interjected.

“It won't be as simple as all that Harry.”

Again Harry nodded.

“Of course it won't. Isolde is a smart woman and the daughter of one of the finest aurors to ever don the auror's robes, so I doubt that she'd just blindly walk into the Ministry of Magic with the intention to nick some newly discovered priceless wizarding artifact.”

Agamennous offered his assessment of the situation.

“No she wouldn't. Whereas Priam was the smarter of the two, Isolde was always more resourceful, more wily. She'll be able to suss out a setup quickly. She hasn't managed to remain hidden all this time by being slow on the uptake. We'll have to be very careful.”

“I imagined as much, so I've worked out that bit as well.”

Both men turned to look at Hermione a slightly smug look covering her face. Before either could speak Hermione said.

“Allow me to elaborate. Dalton and I will hold a press conference announcing the discovery of the `fabled' Book of Spells. We'll tell them the story of how I found the book at Berlinker's and spent the next few weeks deciphering its meaning. That's how we'll explain there being two books and that we are now conducting a thorough search to find the other half of the volume so that we can begin deciphering all the spells contained in the book.”

Agamennous cut in.

“That will certainly get Isolde's attention but she's still not going to just come waltzing through the front doors of the Ministry.”

Hermione agreed.

“No she's not going to come strolling in through the front door but you're forgetting that Isolde's operating under several false assumptions. You see the stories surrounding the Book of Spells and the Knights have those who believe them under the erroneous impression that there is a spell in it that can reverse death. There is also the matter of the ancient Celtic and Druid system of magic. Everything they did had to be done when the alignments of the planets were just right otherwise the spell wouldn't. I'm positive that the necessary planetary alignment for the spell Isolde hopes to use is close at hand. I'm also betting that she knows she's got two very tenacious aurors out to get her albeit for different reasons but the point in she's desperate. It has to be now or never. Once she finds out there are two books she'll have to make a move.”

Hermione paused and took a deep breath. She leveled her gaze with Melbourne's and said.

“And while she won't come charging into the Ministry to take the book I don't think she'd have much of a problem going after someone who knows everything there is to know about the second book.”

Silence descended upon the room as Hermione finished off. She took another breath and started to count the seconds before the calm was shattered. She had only made it to three when Harry's voice bellowed throughout the room.

“YOU'RE INTENDING TO OFFER YOURSELF UP AS BAIT TO SOME NUTTER WHOSE HELL BENT ON RESURRECTING THE DEAD!!!”

“Harry that's out of order…you've just called Agamennous' daughter a nutter!”

“OUT OF ORDER I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S OUT OF ORDER…”

Hermione raised her voice by a decibel or two to be heard and said.

“Harry will you just calm down a moment and listen to me…”

Harry's booming baritone overrode Hermione's voice as he continued.

“NO ABSOLUTELY NOT!! ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN DO YOU HEAR ME HERMIONE…I FORBID IT…THERE'S NO WAY IN BLOODY HELL I'M LETTING YOU ENDANGER YOUR LIFE AND THAT OF OUR BABY!!!!”

At the sound of the word `forbid' Hermione's own stubbornness rose to the fore. Leveraging herself out of her seat and rising as gracefully as is possible for someone so far gone in a pregnancy Hermione glared at her husband and matched his bellows with a few of her own.

YOU FORBID IT…I'LL HAVE YOU TO KNOW HARRY JAMES POTTER THAT JUST BECAUSE I HAPPEN TO BE YOUR WIFE DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE AUTHORITY TO SAY WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO…”

Suddenly Hermione found herself unable to speak. She quickly surmised that she'd been hit with a silencing spell. Her gazed drifted to Agamennous Melbourne who was quite calmly summoning three chairs. The look on her face told her that she had been right in her guess as to who had hexed her. Her suspicions were confirmed when the older wizard spoke.

“The both of you will please take a seat and collect yourselves so that we can discuss this in a more civilized manner. I will remove the silencing spell when I feel you both had sufficient time to cool down a bit. In the meantime I suggest a spot of lunch while we wait.”

Agamennous smiled a genuinely amused smile as he said.

“That's the beauty of silencing spells they prevent a person from speaking without depriving them of certain other oral pleasures…”

The implied implications of the statement were not lost on either of the Potters. Agamennous added.

“Ippy, my house elf, has the weekend off. As such it's down to me to come up with a suitable lunch; I'll just be a moment.

With that said Agamennous exited the room and left Harry and Hermione to sit seething for the next twenty minutes as he prepared a hodgepodge of a meal that included chicken casserole, salad, mash, runner beans, baked ham and roasted chicken with strawberry banana ice cream for afters. Lunch was a silent affair, save for Agamennous' prattling about one thing or another as they ate. It was only after he'd trotted out a tray complete with tea, coffee and rather nice aged meade that Agamennous lifted the spell that had rendered Harry and Hermione silent the past hour and a half.

“You are both at liberty to speak now. But be aware that I have no compunctions about hexed you again.”

Agamennous briefly halted his words and eyeing Harry none to surreptitiously said.

“I believe that an apology would get things off to a congenial enough start.”

Harry stared back at Melbourne with an all too familiar blazing look. The two men's gazes locked and held for a few intense moments before the hard glint that had clouded Harry's eyes receded. Directing his gaze towards his wife Harry spoke quietly.

“You were right I was wrong for yelling at you and for saying what I said about Isolde.”

Harry spared another glance at Melbourne and simultaneously apologized for calling his superior's daughter a nutter. Agamennous nodded his acceptance and Harry returned his attentions to his wife.

“But Hermione I can't let you put yourself in harm's way like this…I just can't!”

Hermione heaved a sigh.

“Oh Harry I know you only want to protect me but do you honestly think I'd be doing this if I thought there was the slightest chance that I was jeopardizing myself or our baby.”

Harry was about to further attempt to plead his case when Agamennous spoke.

“Hermione, what makes you so sure that you wouldn't be jeopardizing yourself and your unborn child?”

Hermione's reply slipped past her lips without the slightest hesitation.

“Isolde isn't trying to hurt anyone. Everything that she's done…all the dark magic that she's been connected to has never put one single soul in danger. By all accounts, including your own she was a gentle soul…never even lifting a hand to squash an insect…I think that person still exists. In fact I'm sure she does.”

Melbourne nodded then said.

“You're sure that person exists but I'm not as sure as you are.”

Hermione's mouth dropped open in surprise.

“But…she's your daughter…”

Melbourne cut across her words.

“Yes Isolde is my daughter but she's not the child she was when I thought I buried all those years ago. She hasn't been in a rational frame of mind for Merlin knows how long. And with all the dark magic she's exposed herself to and the unmentionable things she has no doubt done and seen we have no idea how unstable her mental state may be. None of that is even taking into account the level of her desperation. No…Harry is right. There is no way of knowing whether Isolde is dangerous or not and I'd never be able to live with knowing I'd allowed you to endanger yourself and your baby. It simply cannot be done.”

Hermione was taken aback by Agamennous Melbourne's heartfelt plea. Finding herself completely unable to argue to the contrary she slumped back in her seat dejectedly and said.

“Well this is a right fine mess. The news conference is all set up for first thing in the morning.”

Harry reinserted himself into the conversation.

“Well we'll just have to call it off.”

Hermione shook her head.

“We can't…Dalton's even seen to it that it'll be broadcast on the wireless. There's no backing out of it.”

Harry stood up and began pacing back and forth running his hand through his hair as he went. Agamennous placed a hand to his chin and silently stroked his jaw-line as the other hand drummed the arm of the chair he was seated in. Hermione sat quietly a small frown marring her face as she mulled things over. The threesome sat that way for several minutes before Harry exclaimed.

“I've got it!”

Agamennous and Hermione gave up their own fruitless pondering and gave Harry their full attention.

“Hermione's right this plan of hers is near perfect and our best chance of flushing out Isolde. Only problem is we can't risk her getting hurt if Isolde proves to be more unstable than we think…all we need is a substitute Hermione.”

Agamennous Melbourne smacked his hands together and leapt off his chair.

“Of course it's so bloody simple we almost missed it! A simple dose of polyjuice potion and we're laughing…”

Harry smiled as he cut across Melbourne and said excitedly.

“Even better we can bring on Tonks that way we wouldn't have to worry about refreshing the potion every hour.”

“Excellent idea!”

Agamennous clapped Harry on the back and the two aurors shared a smile. Hermione cleared her throat a bit and inquired.

“And exactly where am I to be while Tonks is off impersonating me?”

Harry's reply was quick.

“Safely tucked away in the confines of Grimmauld Place being watched over by Ron.”

Hermione stared back at her husband in shock.

“You can't be serious!”

Harry stared back sternly and answered back with.

“I am absolutely, one hundred percent serious.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry had indeed been serious. The day following their meeting with Agamennous Hermione had stood with Dalton Moore and revealed the discovery of the famed Book of Spells. After having spent the morning getting interviewed and photographed for every wizarding publication available Hermione had spent the afternoon briefing Tonks on the finer points of her duties within the Department of Mysteries while not actually revealing what her work entailed. Hermione was in fact carrying on with all her work from her study at home. No one other than Dalton Moore, her boss and Daphne Greenfendle, her assistant knew of the plan to catch Isolde. And even they didn't know who the aurors were after and why. That information had only been divulged to those deemed pertinent to the operation. Which meant no one outside of Harry, Hermione, Agamennous, Ron, Tonks, Kingsley and Caiaphas Artaxerxes, the Chief Minister of Magical Law Enforcement knew that bit of truth.

It turned out that Artaxerxes and Melbourne had been best mates for ages. They godfather to each other's children. Needless to say Caiaphas had been hurt by Agamennous' secrecy but he'd put his own feelings aside to help the girl he loved as much as he loved any of his own children.

It had been two weeks since Harry's covert operation had gone into play and no one had seen the slightest sign of anything amiss. And while everyone was going on with their lives in a business as usual fashion Hermione was trapped in her own home about to go mad from boredom. She and Ron had fallen into their childhood pattern of sniping at each other over the smallest of things. It had gotten so bad that for the past two days he taken to hanging about downstairs and popping up every half hour or so to see that things were alright. Harry'd taken to popping in whenever he could sneak away unnoticed to check and see that she was alright but as he had to keep up appearances he was presently off on a three day excursion to Molien. Thus, Hermione was anxiously awaiting her daily visit from Daphne. Everyday just after lunch Daphne would pop in and bring Hermione the day's cache of work. The two would usually spend an hour or so talking. As this was the time that the two usually went over reports no one found it add that Daphne was away from her desk for so long or that Hermione's office was inaccessible.

Hermione was pulled from her thoughts by the sound of footfalls coming up the stairs. Just as she looked up Ron's head appeared around the door.

“Daphne's here.”

Hermione smiled and nodded as the younger witch entered the room. As Daphne entered the room Ron spoke again.

“Will you two be alright on your own for a bit? I've just gotten an owl from George, there's a bit of situation down at the shop that he needs my help with.”

Hermione answered.

“Of course we'll be alright Ron. You go and take care of things we'll be just fine here.”

Ron looked back and forth between the two women and asked.

“You're sure?”

“Yes I'm sure Ron, we'll be quite alright, take as long as you need.”

Hermione's reply was accompanied by a reassuring smile from Daphne. With a nod of his head and a promise to be no more than a half hour Ron disapparated with a sizzling crackle. Hermione shook her head indulgently.

“I don't know what's worse his being over protective or his trying my patience.”

The two women shared a brief smile before Hermione said.

“Well I reckon we best get started. You go ahead and lay out today's pile and I'll just get what's finished from yesterday.”

Hermione turned around to grab a stack of files from her desk when suddenly she was seized by what she vaguely recognized as an immobilization spell before the world went black.

-->

22. In The Cellar


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 20: In The Cellar

Ron arrived at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes to find George ankle deep in Pygmy Puffs. The store reeked of the new and unproved Weasley Neurot-O-Gas and there were what appeared to be several representatives from the French conglomeration that was handling their expansion into France, running around the shop acting extremely oddly. Upon seeing his brother George's voice exploded in a rush of words.

“Thank Merlin you're here Ron…think you could sort out the Frenchies while I get rid of these blasted Pygmy Puffs…and for Circe's sake Fred would you shut off that bloody gas its making me all twitchy.”

Ron was about to reply when suddenly an image of Daphne's smiling face appeared in his mind's eye. There had been something odd about her behavior today. She'd smiled every time he'd spoken to her not that she didn't smile normally but she was a bit of a chatter Daphne and she hadn't spoken a word from the time she entered the house and he performed the identity check up until he left. A sense of dread flooded Ron as a litany of curses issued from his mouth. George looked up wondering what Ron was in such a tizzy about but he was not to know the cause of his brother's agitation because before he could say a word Ron was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nymphadora Tonks toddled down the corridor towards the loo. As she walked by passersby called out greetings, most were questions about how she was fairing through the pregnancy, when her due date was and the like. There was much for Tonks to accustom herself with pretending to be a very prominent and very pregnant witch. She'd had to get used to carrying around a whole other person without being her usually clumsy self and stumbling into every object that crossed her path. She had also had to accustom herself to some of the other more common facts of pregnancy like the sprog's constant moving and the need to have a pee every ten minutes or so. In order to be as convincing as possible in her role as Hermione Tonks had taken a modified Polyjuice potion that mimicked the signs of Hermione's pregnancy exactly. Thus she found herself off to the loo for the tenth time that day and it was just after lunch.

Suddenly Tonks caught sight of two of the older departmental assistants who seemed to have some sort of obsession with rubbing her rotund protruding belly and cooing nonsensically to the would be sprog inside. Gripping the underside of her belly Tonks broke into a trot and just made the safe confines of the ladies before the two mad old crones turned the corner. As she trudged to the nearest stall and pushed the door open she was met with the sight of Daphne Greenfendle sprawled on the toilet, her head leaning against the wall of the stall, a nasty purple bump blooming just below her hairline. Unconsciously Tonks morphed back into her own form as she surveyed the scene. If Daphne was unconscious in a bathroom stall in the Department of Mysteries, who in bloody hell was at Grimmauld Place with Hermione?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agamennous Melbourne left Minister Stanley's office at a full out run. He'd just stepped through the doors of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement when he came face to face with the panic inducing sight of an obviously pregnant Nymphadora Tonks attempting to rouse a semi-conscious Daphne Greenfendle. Agamennous covered the distance separating him from the two women in a single stride.

“What's happened?”

Tonks answered without looking up.

“Near as I can tell it looks like someone knocked her out and swapped places. I'm trying to bring her round and get the particulars. Two of my best aurors, Perkins and Creswell, have been dispatched to Grimmauld Place to look in on Ron and Hermione.”

Before Agamennous had a chance to say anything in reply a befuddled and agonized moan drifted up from Daphne. Squatting down beside Tonks Melbourne asked.

“Miss Greenfendle can you hear me?”

Daphne's reply was a low moan that Melbourne took to mean yes.

“What happened? Who did this to you?”

Daphne struggled into a sitting position with the assistance of Tonks. Esmeralda Satterfield, Melbourne's secretary, offered her a vile of reddish brown potion, saying it'd help with the pain and settle her nerves. Daphne gratefully drank the potion down in a single swallow. In a voice that steadily became less shaky, she recounted how she'd stopped off at the ladies before heading to Grimmauld Place to take Hermione the day's assignments. She was just opening the door when she was roughly pushed inside by a tall, pale-blond haired willowy witch with a harsh gravelly voice. The next thing she knew she was coming to in the auror's office. Tonks and Melbourne listened attentively to Daphne's account of her assault and took in the sight of the handful of hair that had been ripped from her scalp. Before either of them said a word Joshua Creswell came rushing down the corridor. Tonks knew instantly that the news wasn't going to be good. Creswell's urgency and panic was clear in the dead quiet whisper of his voice.

“Mrs. Potter was gone when we arrived. Adam stayed behind with Weasley to work the scene…”

Creswell's voice died away as he felt the room go very quiet and still. He whirled around and was suddenly horror struck at the sight of Harry Potter standing just behind him. Harry stepped past the open-mouthed Creswell to ask what was going on. It was then that he caught sight of Daphne's battered face and Tonks and Melbourne kneeling beside her. A thunderous crack sounded through the office as Harry disappeared. Agamennous Melbourne drew himself up to his full height; when he spoke the tone of his voice brooked no argument.

“Creswell! Round up the Horntails, get the rest of your unit and Kingsley Schacklebolt and his team in on this straight away…fill them in on what's happened and…let them know that we're operating under code orange.”

As soon as Melbourne completed his sentence Creswell ran full tilt back down the corridor and disappeared from sight in a matter of seconds.

“Nymphadora go and make Minister Artaxerxes of what has transpired.”

The small frown that crossed Tonks face as she moved towards the Chief Minister's office went unnoticed by the others assembled. Melbourne then beckoned to a young auror standing nearby before turning and speaking directly to his assistant.

“Esmeralda I'd like you to take Ms. Greenfendle to St. Mungos to make sure her injuries are not severe…”

The older witch nodded and Melbourne turned his attention to the young auror.

“Richards, escort Mrs. Satterfield and Ms. Greenfendle to St. Mungos and then to Ms. Greenfendle's flat. You are to stay there until I tell you otherwise.”

Richards nodded and quickly strode over to where Esmeralda Satterfield was helping Daphne to her feet. As she weakly raised herself into a standing position Daphne whispered dejectedly.

“This is all my fault…I should have been more careful…”

Daphne's words were lost as she hung her head and sobbed. Mrs. Satterfield soothingly patted her hand and spoke comfortingly to the younger witch telling her that she'd done nothing wrong and that everything would be fine as she led her out of the office. Once the threesome had round the corner Melbourne himself disapparated with a piercing bang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry appeared in Hermione's upstairs study in Grimmauld Place to the sight of auror Adam Perkins and his best friend of many years Ronald Weasley picking their way through the thoroughly tossed room. Papers and files were scattered haphazardly around the room, desk drawers hung open; obviously rifled through and Hermione's beloved books lay strewn to every corner of the room pages torn and ripped from their spines. Harry knew from his own training as an auror what Ron and Perkins were looking for and the mere thought of it caused the room to tilt dizzyingly around him. He thought he'd covered everything. Planned it all out to keep her safe. How had this happened? How had she gotten so close, close enough to watch them and suss out their plans, close enough to take Hermione? Harry dropped his head as a violent tremor shook his body and the gravity of the situation slammed into him…Isolde Melbourne had taken Hermione and he had no earthly idea where. Harry took two deep steadying breaths before raising his head. As he did so he locked eyes with a rather harried and tight lipped Ron.

“Harry I'm sorry this is all my fault…I shouldn't have left her alone…I should have known that something wasn't right with Daphne…”

Harry waved off Ron's apology.

“We haven't got time to worry about assigning blame; we've got to find Hermione as quickly as possible.”

Ron nodded in answer to Harry's statement. Harry then asked.

“What happened?”

Ron recounted the events of the day starting from the moment Tonks had headed off to the Ministry that morning up until Ron had received the owl from George and the imposter Daphne had arrived. He explained how he'd gotten to the shop and just known that something was off about the whole situation; how Daphne had been too quiet. Ron told Harry that he'd immediately apparated back to find Hermione gone and the study looking completely turned out. As Ron finished his tale he noticed that his audience had grown to include Kingsley Shacklebolt, Tonks, Agamennous Melbourne, and the Chief Minister of Magical Law Enforcement Caiaphas Artaxerxes. Tonks looked towards Perkins and said.

“Adam head back to headquarters, Josh is for you.”

With a curt nod of his head Adam strode out the door and hurried down the hall. Harry and the rest of the assemblage listened to his footfalls as they grew steadily more distant. It was only after the pop of his apparation was heard that anyone spoke. Agamennous glanced around the room and said.

“Daphne Greenfendle has been compromised.”

Ron spared his former superior a withering glance as he muttered under his breath that sounded vaguely like “Well that's obvious.” Agamennous ignored the cheek and went on somewhat difficultly.

“I think she's been replaced by Isolde…”

Caiaphas Artaxerxes interjected.

“What makes you think its Isolde?”

Before Agamennous could respond Tonks Supplied the answer.

“Her rather detailed description of her attacker…when we brought her round and asked what happened Daphne told us how she stopped off at the loo and was assailed by a tall, pale-blond haired willowy witch. Perfect description of Isolde only Daphne claims she was hit from behind…all the mirrors in that loo are lining the wall on the left. There's no way Daphne could have seen the person who attacked her if they pushed her from behind.”

Agamennous inquired.

“I trust you caught up to Creswell.”

Tonks nodded affirmatively.

“We really need to change our safe word…bloody Nymphadora…I caught up to James and sent him to search the loo for clues, turned up nothing. He and Josh are headed to her flat now to check things over.”

“Daphne is presently at St. Mungos being treated for her injuries under the watchful eye of Esmeralda.”

Minister Artaxerxes bobbed his head approvingly.

“In her day Esmeralda was one of the finest aurors I've ever had the pleasure of working with I'm certain she'll keep excellent watch over our young Miss Greenfendle.”

“Mrs. Satterfield won't find much. I'm sure Isolde and her accomplice have an escape plan all worked out.”

Melbourne turned to look at Harry as the words fell from his lips.

“What?”

Harry's replied was unnervingly calm.

“Isolde has an accomplice. Based on everything the lot of you've said it's the only thing that makes any sense. From the time Ron left for the shop until he got back here couldn't have been more than five minutes. It's not possible for any witch or wizard to create this much damage and move a pregnant witch all in five minutes. Isolde's got help which makes it all the more important that we find Hermione…and I mean find her now.”

The silence that descended on the heels of Harry's words was positively deafening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awareness came slowly to Hermione. Her brain felt foggy like it did when she'd had too much wine and her arms and legs felt heavy and awkward. As her muddled brain tried to work she became aware of the fact that she was lying noticeably uncomfortably on thin mattress. As she attempted to arrange herself into a more comfortable position a soft moan sounded in the room. Hermione realized that the moan had come from her at the exact moment she felt a cool cloth being pressed against her cheeks and forehead. A soft gravelly feminine voice resonated from above her.

“Just keep still now…that knockout potion takes a while to get over.”

Hermione slowly forced her eyelids back and after a few seconds of adjusting to the dark her eyes focused on the face of none other than Isolde Melbourne. Hermione placed one hand under her protruding belly and the other on the thin mattress and pushed herself into a sitting position; the room swam and titled a bit as she did so and she felt as if she might be sick. A quick glance around the room told Hermione that they were in some sort of cellar or perhaps an underground cave that had been converted into a cell of sorts. Hermione's voice was surprisingly steady as she locked her eyes on her would-be captor and said.

“Isolde you've got to listen to me…there's no way to bring Priam back…the Book of Spells doesn't work that way…there's no magic that can bring a person back from the dead. I have a fair understanding of what you're going through but kidnapping me won't change anything…”

The shock evident in her tone, Isolde cut across Hermione's words.

“I haven't kidnapped anyone…I'm just as much a prisoner here as you are!”

Hermione stared wide-eyed at the witch before her. She was about to question Isolde about what she'd just said when a familiar voice sounded from across the room.

“Prisoner…honestly Isolde surely my hospitality isn't that lacking. What about you Hermione? How do you find the accommodations so far?”

Hermione gaped open-mouthed at the woman smiling at her. In obvious bewilderment Hermione cried.

“Daphne…what in bloody hell are you doing?

A/N: Yes I know its taken ages to update and on top of that I leave you with yet another cliffhanger. Hope the chapter was good enough overall to warrant some type of forgiveness.

-->

23. Answers


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 21: Answers

Daphne threw her head back and laughed contemptuously. She affected a rather snooty tone as she mimicked Hermione's words.

�Daphne�what in bloody hell are you doing?�

When she next spoke of a sudden Daphne's voice had turned hard and cold and an undercurrent of what could only be described as hatred underlie her words.

�How very like you to feel so put out by my supposed betrayal. As you stand there now seeing the proof of things with your very own eyes you're still trying to work out how it could possibly be so�why would I do this�how could I do this�am I really even your Daphne or someone just using her face and voice?�

Daphne paused in her soliloquy momentarily and stared at Hermione's face. Anger flashed in Hermione's brown eyes as she calmly enunciated each word she spoke to her assistant.

�Let me out of here now��

Daphne narrowed her eyes and nearly spat her interjected reply.

�Let you go or what! You have no power here�you sanctimonious bitch�you're so like him�but then you'd have to be as insufferably self-righteous as he is to stand him all these years. That's what you're thinking isn't it�that your precious Harry will come and make bad Daphne pay for all her wrongs��

Hermione cut across Daphne's searing tirade with another question.

�What has Harry got to do with this�with you?�

Daphne answered with a vehement shriek as she gestured around the dank cellar in which they stood.

�What does Harry have to do with this�everything! None of us would be here if it weren't for your bastard of a husband and what he'd done to me and my family!�

�Harry barely knows you Daphne and as neither he nor I have ever met a single member of the Greenfendle family whatever slight you perceive couldn't have happened.�

The snide and contemptuous laugh returned.

�Greenfendle�ha ha ha�you're still laboring under the delusion that you know me. Well allow me to enlighten you my dear Hermione. I'll begin by introducing myself�my real name is Lyra Penneford though you are no doubt more familiar with my father Alexander Penneford.�

Hermione's eyes widened at the sound of the name Alexander Penneford. Daphne smiled maliciously.

�I see that you recognize my father's name. So you know how Harry Potter demonized him�made him out to be some sort of horrible monster that the world needed to be rid of so he could justify killing him to fuel his fame!�

Hermione replied in a voice edged with steel.

�Yes I recognize your father's name and I remember what he was as well. Despite what you may think, your father was a vile sadistic killer who gloried in the abuse and torture of innocents. I reckon that he fancied himself as the reincarnation of Voldemort! Harry did the only thing he could do he stopped his reign of terror before it escalated into something more than the delusions of a demented murderer!�

Hermione's words are met with a violent shriek from the young woman she'd known as Daphne all these months.

�MY FATHER WAS NOT DEMENTED�HE WAS BRILLIANT��

Hermione cut across Daphne or Lyra's tirade.

�Your father was a madman and he had to be stopped.�

Lyra glared at Hermione wild-eyed and screeched.

�HE WAS NOT A MADMAN�HE WAS A GENIUS THAT YOUR BASTARD OF A HUSBAND MURDERED AND I'LL MAKE HIM PAY FOR IT. I'LL MAKE HIM SUFFER THE SAME WAY HE'S MADE ME SUFFER!�

At the threat to Harry Hermione came undone.

YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY HUSBAND�IF YOU GO NEAR HIM, IF YOU SO MUCH AS HARM A HAIR ON HARRY'S HEAD SO HELP ME MERLIN I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!!�

Lyra threw her head back and laughed.

�Kill me�really�I'd like to see you try.�

Lyra mockery incited Hermione's rage even more. Without a thought to what she was doing Hermione lunged towards the laughing figure before her. She was brought up short by a pair of arms gripping her shoulders tightly. A low voice rasped in her ear.

�Calm down�think of your baby.�

Lyra's mocking voice sounded from across the room.

�Oh why such a spoiled sport Isolde! Let Hermione have a try. Go on let her have a go!�

Isolde tightened her hold on Hermione to prevent her going after their captor just as the creak of a door sounded above them and the sound of footfalls could be heard coming down a flight of stairs towards them. A young woman who was the exact double of Lyra came into view. They were identical down to the last detail save for a fading purple bruise on her head and a spot that looked for all the world as if a mass of hair had been ripped from her scalp. When Lyra's double spoke there was a clear note of irritation in her voice.

�What are you doing down here?�

Lyra turned around and eyeing the new comer asked a question of her own.

�Leah you ask me what I'm doing here�what are you doing here, you're supposed to be playing the role of the prim and oh so proper Miss Daphne Greenfendle.�

Leah's replied was curt and clipped.

�I am in no mood to play any of your games Lyra. I expressly asked you to steer clear of our guests and it is obvious from the looks of things that you have been goading Mrs. Potter��

Lyra interrupted.

�I've done no such thing Lee�you should've heard what she was saying about our father��

Leah effectively silenced her sister with a single raised finger.

�Mrs. Potter awakes to find herself locked away in a dank cellar by a woman she counted as a friend only to find that said woman is also the daughter of a deceased nemesis of her beloved husband, father of her unborn child; whose live you undoubtedly threatened�were you honestly expecting her to say something complimentary Lyra?�

Lyra rolled her eyes and adopted an exceedingly put out look. Leah continued without seaming to care about her sister's obvious upset.

�I told you that I did not want Mrs. Potter overly upset in light of her delicate condition��

Leah paused and took in the cell in which Hermione and Isolde were housed. Her gaze landed on the thin mattress tucked into the corner of the cell. Leah's eyes narrowed as they swept over the area and landed back on the face of her sister.

�It would seem that our hospitality towards our guests is somewhat lacking.�

In the wake of her sister's pointed glare Lyra dropped her head and muttered something that sounded vaguely like �Damn site better than I'd like to have given them�. When Leah next spoke it was clear which of the two sisters was in charge.

�Go upstairs, collect Ben and see about supper for the lot of us, I will attend to our guests.�

Lyra moved past Leah quietly and quickly. Leah in turn watched as her sister crossed the room and ascended up the stairs. Only after the soft creak and click of the cellar door opening and closing was heard did she turn and face Hermione and Isolde. Her voice had lost its more brittle edge as she spoke to the pair.

�You'll have to forgive Lyra, she is a bit impetuous and tends to act rather rashly in most situations. Regrettably I can not offer you more traditional accommodations but I'll see to it that you are as comfortable as possible for the duration of your stay.�

Hermione replied through gritted teeth.

�What have you done to the real Daphne Greenfendle?�

Leah cocked her head to the side and gently massaged the bruise that was raised on her head. Wincing slightly from the pain she answered.

�The true Miss Greenfendle is unharmed. I assumed her identity after she took a job with the German Ministry in a similar capacity to what she would have been doing for you had she of known she was offered the job.�

Hermione nodded her head as she rejoined.

�Clever�by replacing the true Daphne before I ever set eyes on her relieved you of the need to magically alter yourself in any way.�

�It seemed the right course at the time. Not to mention that the situation afforded me the opportunity to study my quarry.�

�Would that quarry have been my husband or myself?�

�Your husband, though recently you have become of particular interest.�

As Hermione posed her next question the slightest tremble could be heard in her voice.

�And what business have you with Harry?�

Leah squared her shoulders and said.

�My business with your husband is more of a formality than anything else. I suppose my true business shall be with the child you carry now. I am certain that in the end he or she will wish to revenge their father. Is that not the way of these things?�

Having uttered those words Leah Penneford raised her wand and pointed it at the ceiling above the bedraggled mattress shoved in the corner. The ceiling opened up and two sturdy wood frame beds dropped the opening. That done the she turned and headed up the stairs without a backward glance. Hermione stared after her absorbing the last thing that Leah had said to her.

Hermione felt a bracing hand on her shoulder.

�Are you alright?�

At the sound of Isolde's voice Hermione's thoughts returned to the immediate moment. Eyeing her new roommate she answered the older witch's query sarcastically.

�Am I alright�well I've just been told that I'm to be widowed and that my unborn child is certain to become a murder in the future to revenge his or her father's death�how do you think!�

Isolde stared after Hermione; the look on her face clearly annoyed. Instead of voicing her annoyance she inclined her head in the direction of Hermione's belly and said.

�You've had more than a fair amount of upset and you've been drugged�all that can't be good for the little one.�

A stab of regret rifled through Hermione as she realized that she was using her fellow captive as an emotional punching bag.

�I'm sorry�I shouldn't be taking this out on you��

Isolde waved off the apology, with her left hand as she tucked the right underneath Hermione's elbow and guided her towards one of the beds standing in the back corner of their cell.

�If I were in your condition I don't doubt I'd have a go at the first available person myself.�

Isolde paused for a beat and Hermione lowered herself onto the bed closest to the wall. Once Hermione was seated Isolde added.

�Besides as it's my fault that you're here to begin with I suppose your anger is justified.�

Hermione quirked an eyebrow.

�And exactly how would my being here be your fault?�

Isolde took a seat on the bed opposite Hermione and said.

�Were it not for me and the blasted Book of Spells you wouldn't have got landed in this mess.�

Hermione shook her head.

�I should be apologizing to you��

Hermione paused and tossed her head in the direction of the stairs then continued.

�If Harry and I hadn't been so focused on flushing you out that lot would have never thought to use you as bait.�

Isolde looked askance at Hermione and with a shake of her head inquired.

�You don't know the full story of Alexander Penneford and what he was into, do you?

Hermione's reply was a question.

�What do you mean?�

Isolde took a deep breath and began her tale.

�No doubt you know the basic history of Penneford�it was hardly unique. Alexander was from an old, pureblood family that put far too much significance on its lineage. And like most who were obsessed with the purity of blood Penneford thought that magic should stay amongst all pureblood wizarding families. And while he agreed with Voldemort in theory he wasn't about to bow down and follow a half-blood. You see Alexander was a bit more fanatical than most, he had it in mind that purebloods and purebloods alone should inherit the magical world.�

Isolde paused for a moment. Hermione interjected.

�And this is the man that Lyra thinks was so brilliant.�

Isolde smiled faintly as she continued.

�Strange though it may seem he was exceedingly brilliant; but he was as twisted and cruel as he was brilliant. Penneford fancied himself a scholar of sorts and during my time at Hogwarts he was one of the school governors. He was known for helping to advance those students of the right birth once they finished their schooling. Priam was a pet of his.�

Hermione jerked her head in surprise at Isolde's mention of her brother. The two women stared at each other for several moments before Isolde spoke again.

�Priam was a great student of wizarding history. Alexander Penneford used that to his advantage. Penneford claimed he was a member of the Obsidian Order. He recruited Priam to search for the legendary Book of Spells; he played on Priam's desire to prove that the Order was a force for good. Penneford financed Priam's expedition to look for the book. Like everyone who has ever heard of the Obsidian Order and the Book of Spells Penneford believed the stories about the type of spells the book held. He was sure that a weapon like the Book of Spells combined with all his other dark knowledge would ensure that he'd ultimately gain control of the wizarding world.�

Hermione's shock was evident as she cut in.

�Alexander Penneford sent Priam to find the Book of Spells!�

Isolde nodded.

�But during his search Priam became suspicious of Penneford and his motives. Once he found the book he managed to sneak away without Penneford knowing he recovered it. Unfortunately his treachery was expected. Penneford had long since introduced a deadly poison into Priam's system by the time he made it home it was too late to save him. He told me what had happened and gave me the book to keep safe.�

Isolde's voice trailed off and silence descended upon the pair for a minute until Hermione spoke.

�All this time you've been trying to keep the Book of Spells out of the hands of those who'd twist it and use it for their own selfish purposes�but why did you never go to your father surely he could have helped you��

Hermione stopped then and answered her own question.

�Oh Merlin your mother�she didn't die of grief or any sort of sickness did she?�

With a shake of her head Isolde replied.

�No, I don't believe she died of sickness or grief�I believe she was poisoned like Priam was. I had to protect my father�make sure he remained unharmed�so I�I faked my own death, took the book and ran. Priam had sorted out that there were two books before he died. Unfortunately, he'd told Penneford as well. I had to keep him from destroying any other families like he'd destroyed mine. I spent years trying to stay just one step ahead of Penneford and his followers�making sure that the books were safe. Even after he was dead I couldn't be sure that those under him weren't still after me. And then they cornered me in Transylvania and all I could think to do was make myself as visible as possible��

Hermione cut across Isolde's thread of speech again.

�You purposely brought attention to yourself�the symbols at the crime scenes�the photograph�my finding the second book at Berlinker's�it was all orchestrated by you!�

�Yes it was. I thought that if I could manage to get a message to Harry Potter, auror extraordinaire I could explain things and put an end to this mess once and for all. I never dreamed that things could go so far awry.�

Isolde paused then added.

�I sorry for getting you involved in this mess.�

Hermione leaned across the scant distance separating her from Isolde Melbourne and grabbed the older woman's hands and said.

�My being here isn't your fault�you didn't assume a false identity in order to gain entrance into my home then kidnap and dump me in some musty old cellar. And truth be told if we were to sit here and assign blame I'm sure that we've find enough to go round to everyone�but that'd be a waste of time. Right now we have more important things to focus on, like how we're going to get out of this alive.�

24. Imposter


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 22: Imposter

Harry, Ron, Tonks, Kingsley, Agamennous and the Horntails moved quickly down Belraye Road; an all wizarding street tucked away quietly among the streets of Marylebone. It was early evening, the sun having just set. William Leeds, Harry's second in command nodded towards a stately brick building on the left. Harry checked the address which read Old Belraye Road E4. With a quick nod to Will Harry, Ron and the others entered the building while Will and the Horntails sealed off the perimeter. Harry led the way as he and the others took the lift up to the fourth floor flat where they found the young auror Richards standing outside the door looking exceedingly grave. Upon seeing Harry, Richards averted his eyes and stared at the floor. Harry got the impression that things were about to get even more horribly wrong than they presently were.

As he entered the room Harry quickly evaluated the scene before him. Aurors Creswell and Perkins were casually standing about the room looking rather uninterested. At least that is the way their behavior would have appeared to the unassuming eye. Not so for an auror. In his initial cursory glance Harry ascertained that the two had stationed themselves at the points a person would mostly likely use were they attempting to make an escape. Perkins was standing near a bank of windows just to the left of a hallway. Creswell was standing near a kitchen counter; a door which could have been a pantry was directly behind him. Harry knew that Will and the others had warded the building to prevent anyone entering or exiting after the more senior officers had entered. Satisfied that their quarry wouldn't absent herself Harry directed his attention back to the matter at hand.

In the center of the room was a couch on which were seated three women. The woman closest to the door was easily identifiable; she was Esmeralda Satterfield, a former auror who now served as Melbourne's secretary. The other two women were not so easy to identify. They were both noticeably attractive, of medium build with reddish brown hair and deep set dark brown eyes. Harry noted that the two women looked remarkably alike and seeing that one was an older version of the other surmised that the pair were mother and daughter. The sight twisted his stomach as he thought of Hermione and their unborn child. He closed his eyes for a moment and expelled a deep breath before he looked up and asked crisply.

“Auror Satterfield what have we got?”

Esmeralda inclined her head before she spoke. Cutting her eyes in the direction of the women sitting to her left she said.

“I'd like for you to meet Rebecca Greenfendle…”

At Esmeralda's words Harry focused in on the face of the older woman, clearly Daphne had taken her looks after her father. Just then Harry's thoughts were intruded upon by the next words out of Esmeralda's mouth.

“…and her daughter Daphne.”

Whatever thoughts and words that had been forming in Harry's mind dissolved instantly into nothingness. Harry stared wide eyed at the young woman sitting before him and asked.

“You're Daphne Greenfendle…”

Harry paused and waited as the bewildered young woman nodded her head and answered back with a barely audible yes. The next two words that fell from Harry's mouth were clipped and filled with emotion.

“Prove it.”

Harry and the others spent the next hour hearing how the real Daphne Greenfendle had been living in Germany for the past year working as a departmental assistant in the German Ministry of Magic's Department of Unknown Antiquarian Magic. Mrs. Greenfendle corroborated her daughter's story explaining how shocked she and her husband Carlton had been when Daphne had received the appointment to the German Ministry. She added that she had spent the last eight weeks on holiday in Germany with her daughter. Harry dispatched Esmeralda Satterfield and two of his horntails to the Germany Ministry to speak with officials there to verify the story. Harry also had one of his horntails to check on when and how the Ministry had offered the position as Hermione's assistant to a Daphne Greenfendle. While they waited Rebecca Greenfendle prattled on and on about her daughter's stay in Germany and the unexpectedness of the offer. She talked about the rushed preparations and the stress it had caused the family. At present she was rambling about how her daughter's taking off to Germany had been especially trying considering that they'd just signed the lease on Daphne's new flat, and then she was to be off to another country in need of another apartment. The Greenfendles were staring down the prospect of having to pay for two flats in two countries when luck would have it that they found a lovely young woman who was looking for a place to sublet. As those words tumbled out of Rebecca Greenfendle's mouth Harry's head snapped up.

“Did you say that you rented this flat to a young woman?”

Rebecca Greenfendle nodded her head.

“Yes, it was the week before Daphne was set to leave for Germany. We'd tried everything we could think of to get out of the lease with no luck; we'd all but given up on finding some way out until Leah turned up. Merlin sent she was…needed a place quite badly she did…she paid the first three months in advance and even added extra for the furniture…didn't have anything of her own poor dear…”

Harry interrupted Mrs. Greenfendle's rambling reply.

“This Leah that you rented the flat to, how and when did she pay you?”

Mrs. Greenfendle thought for a moment before answering.

“Every month a week before the rent was due we received payment in the full amount down to the last newt by owl post.”

“She doesn't pay in person?”

Rebecca Greenfendle shook her head no.

“Oh no, seems her job kept her quite busy…kept odd hours she did…but never gave us an ounce of trouble and kept the flat neat as a pin.”

This time it was Ron who posed a question.

“How often do you see this Leah?”

Tonks added in a question of her own.

“When was the last time you saw her?”

Rebecca Greenfendle answered without hesitation.

“I try to get by once a week to pick up Daphne's post and if Leah happened to be in we'd chat a bit but as I haven't been here these past two months we haven't seen each other in some time obviously. The last time we spoke was just before I left to go on holiday.”

At this point Harry took over the conversation.

“Mrs. Greenfendle, this woman you sublet the flat to…this Leah…what else can you tell us about her…what's her surname…did she have references…where did she work…did she have visitors…did she mention any family or close friends.”

Rebecca chewed her lower lip in concentration before answering the litany of questions that had been posed to her.

“She never mentioned any family or friends as such, she was quite alone poor dear…her parents died when she was young and there was no other family to speak of. I never saw any visitors when I was here but that's not to say that she didn't have any just that I never saw them. She never said where she worked now that I think on it but she was such a sweet girl I didn't see any need to pry.”

Harry reiterated one of his earlier questions.

“Her surname…what was Leah's surname?”

Rebecca Greenfendle tapped her chin thoughtfully with her forefinger and said.

“It was something ending in ford as I recall…Sanford, no…Redford, no, no…Bedford, umm…Pickford…I'm certain that it ended in ford…”

The real Daphne Greenfendle cut off her mother's latest bout of rambling and supplied the answer.

“Penneford, her surname was Penneford.”

Harry, Ron and Tonks all gasped in surprise. Ron let out a low whistle and said.

“Penneford…you don't think that this girl is some relation to Alexander Penneford do you?”

It was Tonks who answered.

“It would answer just what is going on.”

Harry ignored the back and forth chat going on between Ron and Tonks. Reaching into the pocket of his robes Harry drew out a picture and handing it to Rebecca Greenfendle asked.

“Is this Leah Penneford?”

Rebecca took the photo and with barely a glance replied.

“Yes that's Leah.”

Harry had the photo in hand and was barking orders as he headed for the door before Rebecca and Daphne Greenfendle knew what had happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry paced back and forth in front of his desk behind which Tonks was seated. Splayed before her on the desk was a file from which she was reading.

“Alexander Penneford and his wife Clara Van den Meer - Penneford had two daughters, identical twins named Leah and Lyra. Clara died when the girls were three; Penneford raised them on his own no doubt filling their impressionable young minds with his pureblood mania. Following Penneford's death the girls were sent to live with relatives of their mother in Holland. As near as I can tell they've kept out of trouble, they've got no history of illicit behavior in Holland. According to the Dutch Ministry the Penneford girls traded in their wands once they finished school and took to living as muggles.”

Ron cut in.

“Ahh let me guess the Dutch don't keep tabs on witches and wizards who turn in their wands and go muggle.”

Tonks closed the file as she replied.

“They monitor their magic activity but Leah and Lyra Penneford seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth four years ago.”

Following Tonks' declaration silence descended upon the room for several minutes until Ron spoke again.

“So how do you reckon Leah and Lyra Penneford end up working with Isolde Melbourne?”

Harry ceased worrying a rut in the floor and answered Ron's question.

“They went underground, tapped into their father's network somehow…found one of his cohorts who had escaped detection and set out to finish what their father started.”

“You think they're trying to raise a pureblood army like their father did!”

Harry shrugged at Ron's question.

“Perhaps, perhaps not…at the very least they've led someone to believe that's what they're up to.”

Tonks jumped in.

“It makes sense that they would have to come up with something like that to get any cohort of their father's to help them, I doubt any of them would risk detection on the off chance that they would get a chance at offing Harry.”

Ron nodded.

“True as that may be it still doesn't answer how Isolde Melbourne is involved in all of this.

Before Tonks could answer Ron Harry's voice sounded fiercely throughout the room.

“It doesn't matter who is involved or why, they've got Hermione and I want her home safe and I'll done whatever I have to get her back safely.”

The words were barely out of Harry's mouth when an eagle owl came swooping into the room. The owl landed on the desk facing Harry and extended its leg to him. The bird waited patiently for Harry to retrieve the note it carried before hurriedly flying off. Harry carefully opened the note and quickly scanned its contents; turning round Harry snatched up his cloak and heading for the door called over his shoulder.

“Let's go!”

Tonks and Ron leapt from their seats and hastily set off after him.

A/N: I know it has been far too long since I've updated this piece but I hope this installment is the ending of my perpetual writer's block. Thank you all so much for your patience.

-->

25. Pieces to the Puzzle


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 23: Pieces of the Puzzle

Caiaphas Artaxerxes, Agamemnous Melbourne, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Esmeralda Satterfield, William Leeds and a collection of aurors and Ministry law enforcement officials sat around the magically enlarged oval table in the Auror Dissemination Chamber. The room had been commandeered to serve as the command post from which the search for Hermione Granger-Potter was being conducted. Sitting at the head of the table on the right hand side of Caiaphas Artaxerxes was Theodore Dennis, the personal assistant to the Minister for Magic. He had been sent down personally by Minister Stanley himself to monitor the situation and keep him apprised of the goings on in the case. The assemblage sat around the table whispering in hushed tones as they pored over a collection of files scattered across the tabletop. This was the way Tonks, Ron and Harry found them when they entered the room. If Harry was at all taken aback by the persons seated before him it wasn't apparent from his actions. Harry strode into the room clutching a note between his pointer and index fingers sought out Will Leeds and said.

“You have news for me?”

Will nodded.

“Esmeralda would you like to go first?”

Harry turned his attention to Esmeralda Satterfield as she began to speak.

“Not much to tell really I went to the German Ministry and spoke with the director of the Department of Unknown Antiquarian Magic, Albrecht Ferdinand, and according to his documentation the Greenfendles story checks out. The real Daphne Greenfendle applied for a position with the German Ministry through an exchange program with the Brunhild Academy of Magic; apparently Daphne had spent a year there while at Hogwarts. She'd applied to the program, been accepted and moved to Berlin long before the Penneford girls passed themselves off in her place. A check on the Greenfendles showed them to be without connection to Penneford or any of his associates…seems their only crime is being a bit overly trusting. Alfonse did the checking on how it was that Daphne Greenfendle was selected for a Ministry post.”

Harry directed his consideration to one of his horntails, Octavian Alfonse.

“Not much to go on there either I'm afraid. The Ministry made the selections based on a pool of qualified applications already on file. Seems this Greenfendle bird applied for a position as a Department of Mysteries assistant straight out of Hogwarts, her qualifications were more than adequate but there weren't any openings at the time she applied. When the position came open with Mrs. Potter, Greenfendle's name was at the head of the list. She came in for an interview and landed the job.”

Tonks interrupted.

“But by then the real Daphne Greenfendle had been in Germany six months. How in bloody hell did these Penneford twins manage to infiltrate the Ministry and pass themselves off as someone else without raising any suspicions?”

Auror Alfonse was ready with an answer.

“When Daphne Greenfendle initially applied to the Ministry she never actually got beyond the applications department that we know of. And as we can't find anyone who can place the name Daphne Greenfendle with any face other than Penneford.”

Ron wondered aloud.

“So how in the name of Merlin did they get access to Ministry personnel files …I mean it can't have been coincidence that these birds knew who to impersonate."

Deputy assistant Dennis frowned and replied.

"Surely you're not implying that these young women had an accomplice working inside the ministry helping them!"

Ron snorted as he answered back.

"Well it's kind of obvious that they had some sort of inside help!"

"Now see here that's bang out of order that is… no one employed by the Ministry would even think of performing such treachery!"

Ron cast a murderous glance in Dennis's direction but before he had a chance to voice his obvious disagreement with the other man's statement William Leeds interposed.

"If I may, I think I can clear up how it came to pass that the Misses Penneford were able to get away without being detected.”

Both Ron and Deputy assistant Dennis along with every other person in the room directed their attention towards Auror Leeds. With a wave of his wand William summoned a picture of a blond haired blue eyed stoic looking young man. William directed the photo around the room pausing it at intervals to allow the assemblage to take a look at the young man's face. As the photo made its way to Harry and settled in his out stretched hands, Harry stared at it quizzically. Though he had never seen the young man in the picture before there was something oddly familiar about his countenance. While Harry pondered the familiarity of the unidentified man's features William began to speak.

"The young man in the picture is a bloke by the name of Benjamin Ackerman. Mr. Ackerman is a former security officer here at the Ministry as well as a former boyfriend of a Ms. Juliet Fowler an associate down in applications”

Dennis cut in.

"So you're saying that this Ackerman used his relationship with this applications associate to get information for the Penneford twins.”

William nodded his head.

With a confused frown marring his face Dennis asked.

"Why would he do that?"

William Leeds cleared his throat and replied by saying.

"Sir that may have something to do with Mr. Ackerman's parentage… the bloke employed by the Ministry under the name Benjamin Ackerman isn't exactly who he claims to be. Benjamin Ackerman was born Benjamin Joseph Ware…"

A collective gasp rippled throughout the room, Ron exclaimed.

"Ware… as in Joseph Ware… right hand to Alexander Penneford!"

Leeds nodded as he replied.

"One and the same. Ackerman was Joseph Ware's wife's maiden name. It seems that following her husband being known to the public as a sadistic pureblood maniac Elizabeth Ware took to using her maiden name, packed up her three children and moved to the parish of Chorley in Cheshire. Benjamin hasn't lived with his mum since he was sixteen, seems he quit school and went off on his own. His mother didn't hear from him again until about a year ago when she ran into him in Diagon Alley. She hasn't seen or spoken to him since. It seems that Benjamin's employment at the ministry began about the time that Daphne Greenfendle first applied for a position with the Ministry. Benjamin met Fowler a few months after starting and struck up a casual relationship that lasted about three months before Fowler called it off. It was a month or two after then that Leah and Lyra Penneford turned back up in Britain. We have witnesses in Daphne Greenfendle's Marylebone neighborhood who've seen Benjamin and one or the other of the Penneford twins bumming about the neighborhood together. It seems they were quite the couple.”

This time it was Agamemnous Melbourne who interjected.

"So you're telling us that this Benjamin Ackerman, Benjamin Ware or whatever his name is in this along with the Penneford girls…"

Leeds bobbed his head up and down in acquiescence, Melbourne continued.

"And exactly how is Isolde apart of this? Are you implying that she is masterminding this…are you saying that Ackerman and the Penneford twins doing this at Isolde's behest?"

Melbourne's question sparked a rather severe response from Ron who said.

"We'll of course she had something to do with it that's who got this whole thing started isn't it?!"

Melbourne replied sharply.

"True that's what led us to Ackerman and the Penneford twins but we haven't got any proof that she is in any way connected to them directly!"

Ron sniped back.

"Like bloody hell we haven't got proof…what in the name of Merlin is that damn Book of Spells if it's not proof!"

Agamemnous retorted.

"The Book of Spells only proves the Isolde is responsible for the dark magic that has been popping up all over it doesn't prove that she had anything to do with Hermione's kidnapping!”

Ron took a step closer to the table and railed.

"Isolde needed Hermione to translate the Book of Spells that's why she had Ackerman and the Penneford twins to kidnap her!"

Before Melbourne could fashion a reply Tonks raised her voice to be heard above the din.

"Alright everyone just calm down all this shouting isn't getting us anywhere! We need to think this thing through, there has to be a logical explanation as to what's going on and who is involved! We've got to work together to puzzle this out because every second we waste is another second that Hermione is locked up Merlin knows where being put through Circe knows what!"

Tonks' plea effectively ended the back and forth shouting match. Caiaphas Artaxerxes chimed in.

“Nymphadora is right arguing amongst ourselves won't get us one whit closer to finding Hermione Potter. Our job isn't to debate our personal beliefs, our job is to find Hermione Potter and Isolde Melbourne and bring them back safely. We'll manage the other details after we've brought them home…understood.”

Agamemnous and Ron muttered their agreement. It was then that Harry spoke for the second time since entering the room.

“Will you said that some of the neighbors had seen one of the twins with Ackerman?”

Will Leeds looked at Harry from across the room and answered back.

“Yeah, several of them have seen them around the neighborhood having tea and the like.”

Harry nodded and posed a second query.

“Anyone with specifics?”

Will nodded.

“There was one, a Mrs. Eileen Noble, a bit of an old busybody. You know the type, the kind who keeps an eye on everything and everyone in the neighborhood. I'm certain she'd be able to give you plenty of specifics.”

Will then turned and looked at one of the Horntails near the door.

“Michaels collect Mrs. Noble.”

Michaels gave a brief nod, turned and strode out the door. Following auror Michaels exit Harry said to the room at large.

“Now what else do we know about Benjamin Ackerman and Leah and Lyra Penneford?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra ambled into the kitchen drawn in by the smell of a proper home cooked meal. It had been ages since Leah had cooked. Lyra entered the room and found her sister dishing up two plates of roast chicken, peas, carrots, rolls and mash. As Lyra contemplated what could have prompted her older sister to visit the kitchen in such a capacity Lyra remembered the two slags locked away down in the cellar. With a wrinkle of her brow Lyra shrewdly asked.

“You haven't felt the need to cook for quite sometime, what brought this on?”

Leah responded.

“We have additional mouths to feed and it wouldn't be wise to draw attention to ourselves just now.”

Lyra rolled her eyes.

“Additional mouths to feed…you know Leah it's not good for captors to bond with their captives.”

Leah ignored her sister's comment and placed the two plates on a serving tray then turned to the cooler and retrieved a carafe of pumpkin juice and two bottles of butterbeer. Lyra's face contorted into a frown.

“I don't see why you're going to such extremes for those two bitches when they're just as much to blame for daddy's death as Harry Potter. While you're worried about their health and well being you should be making them pay for what they've done!”

Leah carefully placed the domed lid atop the serving tray and turning round glared at her sister angrily and through clenched said.

“The person responsible for daddy's death will be dealt with, of that you can be certain… but if you've a problem with how things are being run I suggest you get out on account of I won't be changing how I do things for you.”

With that said Leah hefted the serving tray off the counter and into her arms. She brushed past her sister without a backwards glance. Lyra stood in the middle of the kitchen fuming mad. For months now Lyra had been telling Ben that he was wrong about Leah but now she was beginning to think that he might be right afterall…perhaps it was time for her to seriously consider taking matters into her own hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron sighed tiredly.

“We've been sitting here for hours going in bloody circles! And we're still no closer to sorting out this mess!”

Tonks heaved a sigh of her own and answered in reply.

“Focus Ron…the connection we're looking for is right here under our noses we just have to find it.”

Ron shoved himself away from the table and stood to his feet and ranted.

“Connection…I'll give you a bloody connection…we've got one nutter who's in possession of one half of an ancient Book of Spells that she needs Hermione to translate. Then we've got the children of two pureblood wankers who got themselves off-ed rather than serve their time in Azkaban who have been watching Hermione from close proximity for the past nine months and who may or may not have something to do with her disappearance. And to top it all off the only bloody person who could possibly suss this mess out… i.e. Hermione…is the person we have to find!”

As Harry listened to Ron's ranting and raving everything suddenly became clear and it everything started to make sense. In a hushed tone almost to himself Harry said.

“It's a coincidence…”

Ron looked up at Harry and asked.

“What?”

Harry repeated himself more stridently than before.

“It's a coincidence…it's all a coincidence…”

Ron opened his mouth to question Harry again but Harry was expounding on his thought.

“Isolde and the Book of Spells…the Penneford twins and Ackerman…the reason we can't find a connection between the two is because there isn't one. Isolde isn't working with Leah and Lyra…she needs Hermione to translate the book but Leah and Lyra want to use Hermione to get to me. Their paths crossed somehow and now either Isolde has Hermione and the Pennefords or the Pennefords have Hermione, Isolde and the Book of Spells.”

As those words left Harry's mouth Ron asked.

“Given that choice which one of those scenarios should we hope for?”

-->

26. Coup d' etat


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 24: Coup d' ètat

Ignoring Ron's comment Tonks stared after Harry and contemplated what he had just said. Turning to face Harry she asked.

"Harry do you honestly believe that all of this is purely coincidental?"

Harry turned to look at Tonks as she elaborated further. Tonks took a breath and began.

"I understand your line of thinking… there's nothing at all that points to a connection between Isolde and the Penneford twins but this can't be all coincidence there has to be more to it, something that we aren't seeing, a connection that we aren't making. I have this feeling that there's something more that we're missing and I'm certain that the piece we are missing is the answer to what ties it all together."

Harry mulled over Tonks' words carefully then responded.

"You think we missed something.”

Harry paused as Tonks nodded; Harry nodded as well then continued.

“Alright… we missed something…something obvious…something that we hadn't thought of before…”

Harry stopped and cast a querying glance around the room and asked the assemblage.

“What was it…what'd we miss?”

His question was greeted with silence by the remaining occupants of the room seated around the table. The silence lasted a few seconds before Tonks spoke again.

“What do we know for certain?”

Ron mumbled in answer.

“We know that Hermione is being held by a bloody nutter.”

Tonks rolled her eyes.

“Yes we know that Hermione is most likely being held by a psychopath…what we don't know is what the psychopaths in question have in common.”

Will offered an answer.

“Harry, all of the suspects had a vendetta against Harry.”

Esmeralda shook her head.

“Isolde didn't have a vendetta against Harry; she's never even met him. She was presumed dead years before Harry even became an auror.”

Caiaphas Artaxerxes proposed a second option.

“I believe that the commonality we're looking for here is Hermione Granger-Potter.”

A murmur of assent buzzed through the room as Caiaphas continued.

“Leah and Lyra Penneford needed to get to Hermione as a means to draw Harry out while Isolde needed Hermione's outstanding translation abilities.”

As Harry took in Caiaphas' words a frown blossomed across his face. Will caught sight of the look and recognized it as the look Harry got whenever he sensed something was not quite right. With a raised eyebrow Will asked.

“Harry what is?”

Harry shook his head as if to clear it.

“It's what Caiaphas just said; it's the logical answer to the question but something about it doesn't ring true…it just doesn't add up.”

Ron turned to Harry and asked.

“What do you mean? What isn't adding up?”

Harry was about to speak when suddenly his expression changed. The frown that had been covering his face disappeared and was replaced by a look of revelation.

“Bloody hell it's been staring us in the face the whole bloody time and we never noticed it!”

“Never noticed what?!”

Ron's vocalized question was etched on the faces of every person in the room. Harry stared around the room briefly before he launched into his explanation.

“Caiaphas, you said that Leah and Lyra Penneford needed to get to Hermione as a means to draw me out.”

Harry paused and stared at Caiaphas Artaxerxes who nodded his head in verification. Harry went on.

“If they were using Hermione to get to me why wait so long to act? Leah had been working as Hermione's assistant for what, six weeks before I got back from Transylvania…whether she knew about the more intimate nature of my relationship with Hermione or not Leah had to have known that if anything happened to her I would've come. So why wait…why wait all this time if what she really wanted was me?”

Harry's statement was greeted with searchingly introspective looks. He didn't bother to wait for a reply before continuing on.

“But more important than that there's Isolde…”

At the sound of his daughter's name Melbourne focused his attention on the younger man.

“All this time we've been trying to suss out what Isolde has been up to! What was she doing and why? We've gone round for months thinking that Isolde was after Hermione because she needed her to translate the spells so she could find a way to bring Priam back. We were so quick to ascribe a reason to her actions we overlooked the obvious. What was the first thing that tipped us off to something strange going on?”

Will immediately answered.

“It was the dark magic we started seeing popping up all over.”

Harry nodded.

“And you can't do magic like that without a spell.”

Will let out a stunned whistle and murmured “Bloody Merlin”.

“If Isolde needed Hermione to translate the Book of Spells how in Merlin's name was performing spells from a book she couldn't even decipher? In order for Isolde to cast those spells she had to have been able to make out what the book said and what's more she'd have had to have both books to do it.”

“Both books!”

Harry nodded at Ron's exclamation.

“Hermione was always certain that we had the wrong end of things with Isolde that she wasn't trying to hurt anyone with what she was doing. At first I thought that it was about her trying to bring Priam back but what if it was something else? What if she was trying to get our attention?”

Will replied incredulously.

“You think she wanted to be found?!”

Harry nodded.

“She faked her own death and managed to stay out of sight for twenty years…I don't reckon she would have been foolish enough to let herself be seen after all that.”

Esmeralda interjected.

“But why would she want to be found?”

It was Agamemnous, not Harry, who answered.

“Because she needed our help to protect the Book of Spells.”

Ron sighed and said.

“Well this bit of information narrows our choices considerably doesn't it…the Pennefords have Hermione, Isolde and the Book of Spells and we've no idea where.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isolde looked over at her cellmate as she paced about their tiny cell. Pushing herself into a sitting position Isolde called to Hermione.

“Given your condition pacing around like that may not be the best idea.”

Hermione stopped and turning to look at Isolde said.

“Judging from the look of you, you're into your third trimester that coupled with the tremendous amount of stress you are under and that pacing you're doing could trigger labor.”

Having said that Isolde steered Hermione back to the bed and sat her down. She then bent down and lifted Hermione's feet onto the bed and propped the pillows on both beds behind Hermione's back. Hermione looked to Isolde and said.

“That's right…I am in my third trimester. But how could you tell that by just looking at me?”

Isolde shrugged.

“Well I'd be a right poor obstetrician if I couldn't work out the basics.”

Hermione answered back in a shocked tone.

“You're a healer!”

Isolde shook her head.

“No I'm not a healer. I wanted to be but seeing as I dead I thought it best to let that dream go. So I decided to become a muggle doctor instead.”

“All this time you've been living as a muggle…as a doctor.”

A small ghosted across Isolde's face as she answered.

“Priam was fascinated with non-magical folk. He learned as much as he could about muggles and the way they lived most of our kind thought he was mad. When I had to go underground I thought where is the one place a wizard like Penneford would never look for a witch…”

Isolde stopped and waited for Hermione to supply the answer.

“In the muggle world.”

Isolde smiled and nodded. Hermione posed another question.

“Was it hard adjusting to life as a muggle?”

With a shake of her head Isolde replied.

“Not really…considering all I'd lost in the wizarding world I actually found it somewhat of a relief to give up magic. My last act as a witch was to have some poor records clerk falsify my new life as a muggle. Once he'd given me a new life I oblivarated his memory and burned my wand in a rubbish bin down some back alley.”

Isolde paused for a moment to collect her thoughts before saying more.

“I chose the name Isabella Middleton; it was something of a comfort having my initials the same. I found a job as a waitress and got myself into university. Naturally I took up medicine I figured that if I couldn't be a healer I may as well become a doctor. I chose obstetrics because I'd seen more than my share of death and I wanted to see the true beauty of life…”

Isolde's next words were silenced by the sound of the door above them swinging open and the thump of footsteps coming down the stairs. Isolde rested a reassuring hand on Hermione's shoulder. Leah appeared before them holding a domed serving tray. With a wave of her wand she conjured a table and two chairs. Hermione and Isolde watched as the serving tray appeared on the table; the top lifted off and the heavenly smell of roast chicken wafted through the air. The two women took in the plates piled high with chicken, peas, carrots, mash and fresh buttery rolls but made no move towards it. Leah spoke.

“I thought you might enjoy a home cooked meal.”

Leah hesitated then added.

“I tried to make it as healthy as possible for the sake of the baby.”

With both women still keeping their distance Leah cried in exasperation.

“It's not poisoned you know!”

Hermione shifted her body and heaved herself into a standing position and responded with.

“Well considering the fact that we're being held captive in some dank cellar in the midst of Merlin knows where…so I suppose you'll have to forgive our skepticism in regards to your generosity of spirit.”

Leah sighed.

“Please you should eat before it gets cold.”

Hermione and Isolde exchanged a look before seating themselves at the table and cautiously tucking in. Leah conjured a chair for herself, sat down and watched her captives eat in silence. The three women remained that way for the duration of the meal. Once Isolde and Hermione had finished their meal Leah cleared the table and inquired.

“Is there anything else that I could get the two of you?”

Isolde replied sarcastically.

“You, your sister and your boyfriend in here with us out there would do for a start!”

Leah frowned.

“Ben is not my boyfriend! That dubious honor belongs to my sister, unfortunately.”

Hermione caught the rather venomous tone of voice Leah used and posed a question of her own.

“If you don't like him why is he here?”

Leah answered back noncommittally.

“He has his uses.”

Isolde cut in.

“Yes like accosting and kidnapping unsuspecting women.”

Hermione sent a quelling look in Isolde's direction before readdressing Leah.

“Help me to understand this Leah…on the one hand you're holding us captive her against our will but you take the time to cook us dinner, you're threatening the life of my husband but the thought of any harm coming to my child is abhorrent to you. Why are you doing this?”

Leah opened her mouth to reply but never got the chance to say a word as the cellar door crashed open. Leah turned to see what the commotion was. Suddenly, Leah was thrown backwards, she went crashing into the wall behind her, hit by a stunning spell. Leah landed in a heap against the far wall. Hermione emitted a horrified gasp as Leah's attacker came into view. Lyra looked down at her sister's still form and called over her shoulder.

“Ben take Leah upstairs.”

Ben mopped his tangled blond locks out of his eyes and hoisted Leah onto his shoulder. He then turned and trudged up the stairs. Lyra turned to Hermione and Isolde and with a sneer said.

“I hope you enjoyed your little feast, as we're under new management, it'll be your last.”

Lyra turned and followed Ben upstairs.

Hermione wrapped her arms about her belly protectively and looking to Isolde said.

“Isolde we've got to get out of here…now.”

Isolde nodded in agreement.

“I know Hermione I know.”

-->

27. Pickerington Manor


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 25: Pickerington Manor

“Why in bloody hell are we sitting here pushing piles of parchment…this is getting us absolutely nowhere! While we're here sat on our asses getting paper cuts Merlin only knows where Hermione is!”

Ron banged his fist down on the table, which was covered in scrolls of parchment and maps, in exasperation. Tonks looked up from across the table and responded.

“I know its difficult Ron but as it stands finding out all we can about Leah and Lyra and their lives before Alexander Penneford got himself plastered across a brick wall in Knockturn Alley is the best chance we have of sorting out what that lot is really up to and where they have Hermione and Isolde.”

Ron let out a dejected sigh as he slumped further down into his chair.

“I know you're right Tonks, its just…I just feel so sodding helpless…”

Reaching across the table Tonks laid a hand atop Ron's and interrupted the last of his words.

“She's my friend as well Ron and I'm as worried about her as you are but we've got to keep it together for Harry's sake…he's suffering far more than either of us.”

Having uttered those words Tonks cast a glance across the room towards where Harry sat with his back to them staring out at the magically conjured night sky of the Department of Ministries windows. Ron followed Tonks' gaze and as he caught sight of his best friend's anguished pose he nodded his head and uttered.

“You're right Tonks, you're right.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione looked up from her perch on the edge of one of the narrow cot-like beds that had been supplied for Isolde and herself. Isolde had taken up Hermione's earlier position as the resident pacer of the duo. Hermione allowed her gaze to drift from her fellow captive towards the door of the cellar in which they were being held; it had been over an hour since Lyra and Ben had attacked Leah and dragged her unconscious body upstairs. Since then all had been quiet, but, Hermione didn't expect that the quiet would go on for much longer. She knew that unlike her twin sister, Lyra had no compunctions about harming her, her unborn baby, Isolde and anyone else who happened to be in the line of fire and that being the case Hermione knew that if they were going to get out of this mess alive there was only one thing to do and that was to get to Harry. Not sure whether or not Isolde would be willing to go along with her plan Hermione steeled her nerves and taking a deep breath called out to Isolde.

“Isolde…”

At the sound of her name the older witch ceased her pacing and hurried over to Hermione's bedside. Placing her hand to the younger woman's shoulder she asked.

“Are you feeling unwell? Are you feeling any discomfort?”

Shaking her head no Hermione hurried on in a rapid whisper.

“I'm fine with the exception of being locked up in here…”

Hermione paused a second to gather her thoughts before continuing.

“I been sitting here trying to suss things out and I think I got a way that could get us out…”

Isolde cut in.

“What is it?!”

Hermione sighed again.

“It's barely plausible but it the best option we've got really and…and…and it'll require rather a lot of sacrifice on your part.”

Again Isolde interjected.

“Just tell me what I have to do.”

Hermione nodded.

“Our best hope to get out of here is to show Harry where we are, which I can do, if you can manage to get past Ben and Lyra to the outside while keeping an open mind.”

Isolde looked at Hermione, raising one eyebrow skeptically. Seeing the question in Isolde's eyes Hermione went on.

“It's been over an hour since Lyra staged her coup so I don't imagine that it'll be much longer before she comes back and when she does you need to make a run for it, get up those stairs and out of whatever this place is as quickly as possible. If you can get away clear do it…don't worry about me I'll be fine for now, they still need me…I just need you to run and keep your mind open…”

Hermione stopped speaking suddenly. Isolde was about to ask why she'd gone quiet when she clearly heard Hermione's voice inside her head.

Just keep running so that Harry can see where we are.”

Isolde was stunned by the knowledge that Hermione was an accomplished Legilimens, and would have told her so if she hadn't heard the door above them opening. Once again Isolde's head was filled with the sound of Hermione's urgent instructions.

Here they come. I'm sure they're here after me, as soon as I've got them both occupied run like hell!”

Isolde inclined her head the tiniest bit just as Lyra and Ben appeared. With a wave of her wand Lyra opened the door to the cell and strolled in. Smiling maliciously Lyra strolled into the cell with Ben right behind her, they headed straight for Hermione. Seeing the path the pair was taking Isolde moved to the bed across from Hermione's. Lyra's evil smile widened the closer she drew to Hermione. Isolde edged further away from the newcomers by swinging her legs over to the other side of the bed. Lyra and Ben paid her no mind, their attention was focused solely on Hermione.

“On your feet!”

Lyra barked snidely. Hermione knew she had to stall for time, so instead of complying with her captor's demands she spat out a question of her own.

“What have you done with Leah?”

Lyra replied with her characteristic insolence.

“My sister is none of your concern.”

“She's not much of your concern either considering what you've done to her.”

Lyra scowled at Hermione's retort.

“It would be in your best interest to worry over what I intend to do to you…”

Hermione interjected.

“You won't lay a bloody hand to me, Harry will see to that!”

Lyra laughed haughtily.

“Ah yes your precious saint Harry, the great hero, your sainted savior, too bad there's nothing that murdering bastard you love so dearly can do to save you now.”

Hermione replied defiantly.

“If you honestly believed that you wouldn't be holed up here like the lowly rats that you are!”

Lyra's face contorted into a mask of vengeful hatred as she stepped towards Hermione she shrieked violently.

“YOU BITCH! YOU'LL PAY FOR YOUR IMPUDENCE!”

Lyra lunged forward as if to strike Hermione. Likewise Ben lunged forward and grasped Lyra about the waist. He pinned her arms to her side and as Lyra struggled fiercely against his hold he admonished her severely.

“Lyra calm yourself!”

As Ben tussled with Lyra Hermione sent a shouted plea to Isolde “Go now”, the cry was hardly necessary as Isolde had hastily crossed the length of the chamber and quickly slipped out the unlocked cell door. She sprinted up the stairs and was through the cellar door before Hermione had fully completed her thought. The sound of the cellar door creaking open and banging shut alerted Ben and Lyra to the fact that something was amiss. Hermione fell back onto her cot and closed her eyes tightly as she focused on her appointed task.

Hermione was only vaguely aware of Lyra and Ben shouting at one another over Isolde having fled. She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and bit down as she blocked out Lyra and Ben's voices and devoted her full attention to Isolde and what she was seeing. Hermione soon lost track of where her captors were or what they were saying and doing as the images from Isolde's flight flashed before her eyes. Suddenly, Isolde was outside, not knowing how much longer she had Hermione focused on the second part of her task, reaching Harry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry rose from his seat at the window Merlin only knew how long he'd been sitting there lost in his worrying thoughts. He'd only made it halfway across the room when he was overcome by a sensation that he hadn't felt in years. The scar on his forehead erupted in a fierce, white-hot pain that sent him crashing to his knees. Harry groaned and clutched his head in his hands as a series of images flashed through his mind's eye. He saw himself moving swiftly up a set of basement stairs and into a dark sparsely outfitted kitchen, which he hurried through; from there he went down a darkened hallway arbitrarily trying doors along the way until one opened. Slipping inside, Harry found himself in a library; he was rushing across the length of the room towards the bank of windows that served as the wall on the left hand side of the room. His hands race across the frames of the windows until he found a latch. Without a moment's hesitation he flipped the latch and pushed open the window and jumped through the now open pane. Harry felt the breath rush from his body as he collided with the ground. Scrambling to his feet he dashed across the lawn at a full on sprint, in the distance he heard shouts of “There she is running across the lawn” and “Stop her now” as he ran along. Looking back over his shoulder he saw three wizards sprinting after him wands raised. Harry instinctively began to run faster as stunning ad disabling spells whizzed over his head and threw up tufts of grass and dirt at his feet. His eyes darted around franticly searching for a way out, none appeared. His breathing was labored and a sharp pain radiated from his side, yet, despite the pain he continued his frenzied escape. Harry made a hard right towards a grove of trees, as he turned, he caught sight of the once grand manor house before he was struck by a stunning spell and all went black.

Harry was unsure how long he was out; he doubted that it had been more than a minute or two but however long it was, it was long enough to panic everyone in the room. As Harry opened his eyes Tonks' voice sounded in his ear.

“Harry, are you alright?”

Harry took a deep breath and ignoring Tonks' concern and rose shakily to his feet. Tonks and the others continued to hurl inquiries after him as he stood. Harry noticed that the stacks of parchment and pictures that had been covering the table were now scattered about the floor. Underneath his foot Harry noticed a picture of a magnificent old manor, reaching down Harry picked up the picture and in a firm authoritative tone asked.

“What is this place?”

The answer was supplied by Will Leeds.

“Pickerington Manor…it was Alexander Penneford mother's ancestral home. His mother was Madeline Pickerington.”

Harry stared intently at the picture as he said.

“This is where they are…this is where they have Hermione and Isolde.”

“What makes you think they're there?”

Agamemnous' query could be seen in the features of every face in the room save for Ron's. Thus, it was not Harry who spoke next but Ron. Looking at Harry he stated more than asked.

“Hermione…she got through to you.”

Harry nodded.

“We're going to Pickerington Manor to get my wife!”

A/N: Sorry if this chapter isn't up to snuff but things have been hectic to say the least. I hope to have more up soon. Thanks for reading and for your continued patience. Until next time…happy reading.

-->

28. Birth and Death


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 26: Birth and Death

The thirty or so young wizards and witches crowding the dilapidated lower level of Pickerington Manor were grouped together whispering among themselves wondering just what in the name of Merlin they'd gotten themselves into. Most of them were children and grandchildren from disparaged wizarding families who had in one or both of the last wars sided with Voldemort. Theirs had been an existence of ridicule and scorn, hiding and lies. Most had been reduced to lying about their names and family associations to avoid the taint of the label of `Dark Wizard'. As many of them had come from very old and moneyed pureblood families most had been reduced to the meanest poverty after their families had lost much of their fortunes trying to buy their way out of their past associations and dealings. It had been a hard life to say the least, thus when they had been approached by Leah and Lyra Penneford and Ben Ackerman and offered the chance to recoup some of the past fortune and glory of their family names and perhaps to pay back some of the unkindness they'd been dealt most of their lives, they had jumped at the chance. Now however their decisions seemed more hasty and foolhardy than opportunistic.

A dark haired and dark eyed wizard in shabby navy robes was holding court in corner of the lounge whispering animatedly.

“I'm telling the lot of you something serious is brewing down in that cellar. That bird did a runner and one of those mates of Ben that brought her back said `put her back down with Potter's bint'…”

The dark haired wizard was interrupted by a wide-eyed brunette cohort of his who queried.

“You don't reckon they mean Harry Potter do you?”

The dark haired wizard nodded as he added.

“Who else could they be talking about?”

Again he was interrupted, this time by a sandy haired wizard who asked fearfully.

“You can't think they have been stupid enough to go after someone who was close to Harry Potter do you?”

Once again the dark haired wizard nodded as he answered back.

“That's exactly what I think they've done and I'll tell you right now that's not what I bloody well signed on for and I'll be damned if I'll wait around for the likes of Harry Potter to show up and have my head for messing about with whoever it is they've got holed up in the cellar!”

A blond who'd been sitting quietly nearby chimed in.

“It's Hermione Granger.”

The two wizards and the one witch who'd been talking turned to look at the blond. She continued speaking in very low hushed tones.

“If it's true that they've got someone close to Harry Potter down in that cellar I'd bet my last knut that its Hermione Granger, they just got married a few months back…it was splashed all across the front of the Daily Prophet it was.”

The sandy haired wizard shook his head disbelievingly.

“You can't honestly believe that they'd be…that anybody'd be daft enough to go and kidnap Harry Potter's wife!”

The dark haired wizard rejoined with.

“I don't rightly know what any of that lot may be mad enough to do but I bloody well don't plan on staying around here long enough to find out. I'm getting out before the Ministry sends us all to Azkaban or worse… Harry Potter finds us and kills us all!”

Having said that he rose to his feet and looked around to see who was with him. The brunette and the blond stood to their feet as did two other wizards who had been sitting in the depths of the shadowy corner listening. Cautiously the five looked around before heading towards the front door. The sandy haired wizard watched them leave. He sat deliberating for several long seconds before rising to his feet and dashing off after his departing comrades.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the six wizards fled Pickerington Manor, one floor above two other wizards who were standing guard outside the door of a locked bedroom which overlooked the front of the manor caught sight of their departure. The wizard closest to the window saw the fluttering cloaks of the six fleeing wizards. Looking towards his companion he said.

“Oi Scott looks like someone's doing another runner… only looks like its some of us this time. Wonder why they're leaving… oh well means more galleons fro us then eh.”

The second wizard looked out the window and replied.

“I don't known why they're running Davy but I reckon they may have the right idea.”

Quirking an eyebrow at Scott's response Davy posed a question.

“What would make you say a thing like that?”

With a shake of his head Scott replied.

“Do you have any idea what's going on here Davy? Do you have a clue as to who it is that they've got locked down in the cellar and who's in this bedroom we're making sure stays locked?”

Davy shook his head. As he did so Scott pointed at the door behind him and answered back.

“Leah's in here, put there by her own sister. I overheard Michael and Blake, Ben's mates, talking about how things were going to change now that Lyra and Ben have gotten Leah out of the way. They were going on about finally getting some answers to how some bloody book works before we take on Potter and the Ministry.”

Davy turned a sunned countenance to Scott and in an unbelieving whisper asked.

“Take on Potter and the Ministry… you don't mean… that is to say… you can't mean what I think you mean.”

Scott nodded his head.

“I mean exactly that.”

Having uttered those words the two stare out the window at the six lucky wizards who have managed to get away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra stared between the two women splayed out on cots before her, both unconscious, listening to Ben as he paced about the tiny cell raging about this latest turn of events.

“I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! WE'RE REALLY IN IT NOW WE'VE NO IDEA WHAT THOSE SODDING BOOKS SAY AND THE ONLY TWO PEOPLE WHO ARE LIKELY TO GIVE US A CLUE YOU'VE NEARLY KILLED!”

Sick to death of Ben's accusations Lyra heatedly defended her actions.

“What would you have had me do?”

Lyra pointed towards unconscious form.

IF SHE'D GOTTEN AWAY EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN RUINED. SHE HAD TO BE BROUGHT BACK… IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THOSE IDIOT FRIENDS OF YOURS OVERDID IT ON THE STUNNING SPELLS!”

Not quite ready to concede defeat Ben pointed to Hermione's unmoving body and shouted.

“AND WHAT ABOUT HER, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF YOU ATTACKING HER EH?”

Lyra stamped her foot as she shrieked back.

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME I…DID…NOT…LAY…A…HAND…TO…THE…BINT! I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HER ONE MOMENT SHE WAS SMARTING OFF AT ME AND NEXT THING I KNOW SHE'S LIMP AS AN EFFING COD!”

Ben gazed intently at Lyra; her version of events seemed about as likely as Hermione Potter offering him a blowjob… meaning that it was likely at all, however, now wasn't the time to get into a row over Lyra and her inability to control her temper. So rather than waste more valuable time trying to sort out what hex she'd hit the Potter bitch with Ben thought it better to just move on. He took a deep breath, thus when next he spoke it was in a decidedly calmer tone.

“Doesn't matter what happened now… what matters is that we get back on track as quick as possible which means we've got to bring one of them back around.”

Lyra looked askance at Ben and wondered aloud.

“And how do you propose we do that?”

Ben's reply came swiftly but was not directed to Lyra. He turned and looking up towards the cellar door called out.

“Blake go upstairs and fetch Leah.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was just after twilight when a series of pops were heard in the grove of English oaks that bordered the perimeter of Pickerington Manor. A group of about twenty aurors had just apparated into the copse of trees. The willowy dark haired leader of the group pointed turned to six aurors on his right and to six on his left immediately the two units disappeared into the darkening night. The remaining seven fanned out through the wood. Harry Potter turned away from the studying figures of his companions, made his way swiftly to the edge of the thicket and stared at the moldering old ruin of a manor house sitting about 400 meters away from where he presently stood. Somewhere in that decrepit wreck of a house was Hermione. Suddenly the image of Hermione racing across the distance from the house to the wood entered his mind. Missed spells sending explosions of earth into the air at her feet, he vividly recalled that the edge of the wood was mere steps away when all had abruptly gone black. What had happened to Hermione then? Was she alright? Had she been hurt? Was the baby alright? Harry closed his eyes and slowly expelled a lungful of air. He had to keep control of his emotions he wouldn't be any good to his wife or his child if he allowed himself to lose it now. He was brought round from his private ruminations by the voice of his second in command, Will Leeds.

“We've searched the immediate vicinity and found no signs of any types of anti-detection wards. Braddock and Milner took their units further around to scout the perimeter of the house to see if we can get a better idea of what we're facing here.”

Harry inclined his head but did not speak as Tonks, Kingsley, Ron, Octavian Alfonse and six of the Horntails came tromping through the trees towards where he and Will stood. As they drew closer Harry noticed that Ron and the others had their wands drawn and that the six others were positively not Horntails. Ron, Kingsley, Tonks, Octavian and their captives came to a stop about three meters from Harry and Will. Harry stepped back deeper into the copse of trees, he covered about half the distance separating him from the others and hurriedly scanned six very young and very frightened faces, two were witches and four were wizards. All were extremely disheveled; they looked as though they'd been crawling around through the wood. Looking away from the six terrified faces Harry asked the assemblage.

“Who're this lot?”

Octavian responded gruffly.

“We found this rabble hiding around a hillock down the other end of the copse. They were right keen on slipping past us but not quite bright enough to manage it.”

Harry drew himself up to his full height, squared his shoulders; his normally luminous green eyes had gone menacingly dark, something in his aspect made a chill run down the spine of everyone present in the thicket. It was this fearsome presence that gazed upon the six trembling figures who had fled less than an hour before to avoid this very fate. In a low ominous voice he asked.

“Do you know who I am?”

There was a murmur of assent from the six. One, a blond witch who looked as awed as she did afraid, answered haltingly.

“You…you…you're Harry Potter.”

The fearful reverence with which the young blond spoke his name caused Harry to devote his full attention to her a grim smile crossed his face as he said.

“And seeing that you know who I am, you'll also know why I'm here.”

The blond released a shaky breath of air as she bobbed her head up and down in reply. Harry inclined his head in return and uttered.

“I'm listening.”

Some twenty minutes later the six fleeing wizards had provided Harry and the others with what little information they could about the plans of Ackerman and the Pennefords. They also told them about the wild rumors that had been floating around the manor about Lyra and Ben having attacked Leah and locked her away upstairs as well as the two occupants of the cellar. Once the rest of the Horntails returned they compared information on the layout of the house and the number of wizards on hand. Having provided what intelligence they could Harry had the group of runners taken back to the Ministry for further questioning.

Harry wasted no time he drew his wand and made his way back towards the edge of the wood. Ron and the others hastily followed suit. When the manor house was in view Ron looked over at Harry and asked.

“What's the plan?”

Harry never looked away from manor as he replied.

“We walk up to the front door and ring the bell.”

Before anyone could question him further, Harry strode off in the direction of the manor closely followed by Ron and the others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyra peered eagerly over the shoulder of her twin sister as she tetchily inquired.

“Well, what the bloody hell is wrong with the pair of them?!”

Leah straightened from her bowed position and replied through clinched teeth.

“The next time you send those idiotic louts after someone you may want to tell them that if they're going to stun their quarry they may want to ensure that they don't dash their bloody brains out in the process!”

Lyra ignored the snippiness in her sister's tone and nodding towards Hermione asked.

“And that one…what's wrong with that one?”

Leah shook her head.

“I haven't any idea. She may have passed out from exhaustion or stress, or perhaps she was hexed as well.”

Lyra rolled her eyes and replied hotly.

“How many times do I have to tell you lot that I never touched that slag?”

Hermione laid still and quiet. For the past forty-five minutes she had lain as still as possible waiting and hoping for the chance that Lyra and Ben might leave the room and give her the chance to check on Isolde and make sure that she was alright. But that moment had never come. Isolde escape attempt and her subsequent injury had put the pair on alert. Instead of leaving the cellar they'd called in what appeared to be their own personal guard. She wasn't certain how much longer she could keep up her present charade. Sooner or later something would give her away she had to find a way out for Isolde and herself. If only she could be certain that she had gotten through to Harry.

All of a sudden a deafening sounded from above. The sound was quickly followed by screams, bellows of pain and muffled thuds as though multiple objects were hitting the floor in rapid succession. Hermione's eyes flew open immediately, those sounds; they were sounds with which she was intimately acquainted they were the sounds of a battle. Unaware of her actions Hermione raised herself up on her elbows listening intently to the muffled voices calling out above her listening for the voice she had been hoping and praying to hear since she had woken up in this horrid cellar.

As Hermione listened all around her there was chaos. Recognizing that their hideout had been found Ben told Lyra to stay put and drawing his wand run full on towards the stairs closely followed by his guards. At that exact moment the cellar door burst open and through the smoky haze of fired spells Hermione could make out the Harry's familiar silhouette as he charged into the room. Ben raised his wand and cried Avada Kedavra but Harry had thrown up a shield off which Ben's spell rebounded and struck him dead center in the chest. An anguished scream echoed through the air as Ben's lifeless body tumbled down the stairs. Hermione looked over and caught the grief-stricken expression on Lyra's face as she screamed out Ben's name. Their eyes connected and Lyra raised her wand and pointed it directly at Hermione's heart. Hermione watched in slow motion as Lyra's lips formed the words of the killing curse. Hermione could hear Harry screaming her name as he and Ron fought their way down the stairs towards her, she saw a flash of green light and heard the rushing of the spell as it raced towards her. She steeled herself for the inevitable when out of the blue a body appeared in front of her; the killing curse that had been intended for her struck the body that had thrown itself in front of her. With a thud the body hit the floor, Hermione looked down and found herself staring into the lifeless eyes of Leah Penneford.

Before Hermione could fully process what had just occurred she was startled by the sound of a wand clattering to the floor. She looked up and saw a horrified Lyra Penneford fall to her knees. In the next instant Ron and Harry were on either side of her. Harry was there cupping her face in his palms, asking.

“Hermione, love are you alright? Did they hurt you?”

She was about to tell him that she was fine but that Isolde wasn't when a pain pierced her side and had her doubling over gasping in pain. Harry wrapped his arms around her and cried.

“Hermione what's wrong?”

Her breathless reply came quickly.

“We have to get to St. Mungo's… the baby…the baby's coming… the baby's coming now!”

A/N: It has been forever I know. I await your castigations in your reviews.

-->

29. Welcome To The World


What I Always Wanted

Chapter 27: Welcome To The World

Harry raced over to the cot in the dank cell where Hermione was sitting; relief began coursing through his body as he saw no outward signs of injury. As gently as his haste allowed he cupped his wife's face in his palms and asked.

“Hermione, love, are you alright? Did they hurt you?”

Hermione's eyes fluttered in the direction of the cot beside her own and opened her mouth as though to speak, instead of the familiar tone of voice he had expected to hear a gasp of pain settled over his eyes. Harry watched in horror as Hermione grasped her side and doubled over. Harry wrapped his arms around her and cried.

“Hermione what's wrong?”

Breathlessly she replied.

“We have to get to St. Mungos… the baby…the baby's coming… the baby's coming now!”

Harry looked down at Hermione in something like a trance, confusion etched all over his face. He stood there for what felt like hours but was no more than a few seconds attempting to absorb the words that had come out of Hermione's mouth. Slowly, Harry blinked and looking back down at Hermione asked.

“The baby… coming now… are you sure?”

Hermione's eyes; which she'd screwed shut against the pain, fluttered open. She eyed Harry narrowly and answered back through gritted teeth.

“Either… I'm… having…this… baby… or… I'm… hatching… a… hippogriff!

Hermione's pronouncement that the baby was on its way had struck both Harry and Ron momentarily dumb. They were each so preoccupied with their own thoughts that they hadn't noticed Isolde coming round. As she sat up on the edge of the cot where she'd been dumped following her bid for freedom Isolde clutched the side of her and bit back a wave of nausea. She took several deep breaths to steady herself before opening her eyes again and looking around. Her gaze fell on the prostrate form of Leah Penneford, her sister Lyra was kneeling beside her body rocking back and forth, eyes blank, face expressionless. Lyra had suffered a severe trauma. Isolde had seen the signs often enough in her work at muggle hospitals. She sat staring at the two sisters and wondered exactly what had happened to cause this turn of events. Isolde was abruptly pulled from her speculations about her captors by an all too familiar sound. Turning her gaze to the left she saw Hermione hunched over and breathing in gasping pants. Shaking her head again to steady herself, Isolde rose to her feet and called out to her friend in a stern authoritative voice.

“Hermione!”

At the unfamiliar sound of Isolde's voice Harry, Ron, Will and Tonks, who'd just made their way into the cellar, looked around shocked to see Isolde on her feet and moving purposefully towards them. To the contrary, Hermione's face glowed with an expression of relief.

“Isolde, thank Merlin you're alright! I was so worried that you'd been seriously hurt…ummmm.”

Hermione's sentence ended suddenly as she shut her eyes and ground out a moan. Isolde, who had come to a stop just beside Harry, dropped down in front of Hermione grasped her hand and in that stern authoritative voice commanded.

“Hermione I need you to listen to me, you've got to calm down, getting yourself all riled up is not good for you or the baby.”

Isolde paused and waited for Hermione to show some sign that she understood, Hermione nodded her head in reply and Isolde continued.

“Alright, I need you to close your eyes and take a deep breath from your diaphragm.”

She placed her hand on the place she was indicating and applied a little pressure. Hermione shut her eyes and complied. Isolde nodded and had Hermione to repeat the process two additional times before she seemed satisfied that Hermione was sufficiently calm. That done she said

“Hermione I need to check and see how far you've progressed, I want you to keep breathing like I showed you and lie back so I can have a look.”

Before Hermione could respond Harry stepped in.

“And just what in the name of Merlin do you plan on having a look at?”

Hermione reached out and grabbed Harry's hand.

“Harry its fine, Isolde is an obstetrician.”

“A what?”

Hermione looked round at Ron surprise clouding her expression she had completely forgotten he was there. Isolde provided Ron with an answer to his question.

“It's the muggle equivalent of a maternity healer… now if the pair of you have wasted enough time can we move on.”

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand as another moan erupted. Harry turned and watched as Hermione grimaced in obvious discomfort. He turned back to Isolde and nodded his consent. As Isolde turned back to attend to Hermione she realized that she was not in a sterile environment. Before she could have a look she needed to make the surroundings as safe as possible for Hermione and the baby, her eyes drifted to the Penneford sisters and Ben's lifeless body at the foot of the stairs, she then raised her gaze to Will and Tonks and said.

“Clear the room, we'll need a bit of privacy…”

Isolde hardly had the words out of her mouth before Will was barking orders to his fellow Horntails. Isolde watched as two aurors stepped forward and removed the Penneford, one covering then levitating Leah's body out of the room while the other seized Lyra by the arms, lifted her from the ground and maneuvered her out of the cell and up the stairs. Once the area had been cleared Will turned back to Isolde and asked.

“Anything else ma'am?”

Isolde held up her hands and nodding her head to indicate the entire room said.

“A sterilization charm.”

Will nodded and performed the requested charm on Isolde while Ron and Tonks sterilized the rest of the area. Isolde turned and speaking to Hermione and Harry said.

“Alright, then let's have a look shall we.”

Isolde directed Harry and Ron to assist Hermione in lying back; she then placed one hand under Hermione's distended abdomen as the other disappeared beneath Hermione's skirt. Several times there was a sharp in take of breath from Hermione as a certain spot was prodded. Isolde cursed under her breath. Hearing the edge in her tone Hermione exclaimed.

“Isolde what's wrong!”

Isolde stood up and shook her head.

“Nothing's wrong Hermione but we need to get you to St. Mungos as quickly as possible unless this is the first glimpse of the world you want your baby to have.”

Hermione's eyes widened in shock as she shakily replied.

“Its really happening then, I'm actually in labor… I'm about to have a baby!”

Ron stared at Hermione perplexedly.

“Didn't you just tell us not more than five minutes ago that you were in labor… of course you're about to have a baby!”

Ron's words heralded a wave of panic from Hermione.

“But… but… it can't be time… it's too soon. Nothings ready! The nursery's not been finished, and Harry hasn't taken leave from work and… and… I'm not due for another two, three weeks at least!”

Isolde moved from the foot of the cot on which Hermione was lying to the middle where she took a seat at Hermione's side. She then clasped one of Hermione's hands in both of hers and began to speak.

“Hermione you're panicking, what did we say about you getting yourself all worked up?”

“That it's not good for the baby.”

Hermione's voice was higher than usual when she spoke. Isolde nodded then continued.

“There's no timetable for these things, when the little one wants out, its out they come whether mum is ready or not and considering what you've just been through and all that bloody pacing of yours it's a wonder you haven't gone into labor sooner. Now I just want you to concentrate on breathing like I showed you and leave everything else to me.”

Hermione nodded her head and muttered alright and Isolde sprang into action, marshalling everyone to their duties. Ron and Tonks were sent ahead to alert St. Mungos to the fact that they were coming and to fetch Hermione's personal healer, Harry was, naturally given the task of apparating Hermione while Isolde went side along with Will.

When they arrived at the hospital it was complete chaos. It seemed that a Daily Prophet reporter had been in the sitting area of the hospital waiting for his photographer's camera to be remove from a rather delicate region to which it had been hexed when the initial wave of injuries from the raid at Pickerington Manor and overheard some of the injured professing their innocence in the kidnapping of Hermione Potter. By the time Ron and Tonks arrived said reporter had contacted the Prophet and had another photographer sent over. This being such a choice story every reporter and photographer headed to St. Mungos hoping to be the one to get a glimpse of the Potters. Thus, when Harry, Hermione, Will and Isolde arrived it was to a wall of aurors fighting back what appeared to be every reporter and photographer in the wizarding world. The foursome where surrounded by nine of the Horntails who hastily pushed and elbowed them onto the maternity ward and into a private birthing room that had been prepared especially for the occasion and where Paige was waiting for them. Upon entering the room Harry rushed toward the bed that had been prepared for Hermione as he made his way across the room Harry threw his head back in the direction they had just come.

“Paige what in bloody hell was all of that?”

Paige answered in an agitated voice.

“Somehow the Prophet got wind of Hermione being kidnapped and having gone into labor and now every reporter from every wizarding publication in the whole of Europe is camped out in the lobby!”

Laying Hermione down as gently as possible on the bed Harry turned to Will and instructed.

“Will, get out there and send off that bloody mob, do whatever you have to do but get rid of them!”

Will turned and exited the room without a word. Paige looked to Harry and asked.

“How is she?”

Hermione answered Paige's query.

“She feels like she's being ripped apart at the moment… unnnh!”

As Hermione grunted in pain Harry glanced around the room looking for Meagan O'Halleran, Hermione's healer, instead he saw a sallow faced male healer staring back at him quite awe struck. Turning to Paige he asked.

“Where's Healer O'Halleran?”

As an after thought he added.

“And Ron and Tonks, where are they I thought they'd have been waiting for us?”

Paige answered from a bent position as she had her wand out and was examining Hermione.

“Ron has gone to fetch Molly and Arthur and Tonks went for Helen and Robert. Meagan is off in Sheffield attending to a birth there, she'll get back as soon as she can but in the meantime you'll have to make do with Healer Ashburn and me.”

Hermione turned to look at the man standing off by the windows. He looked as if he had no more idea of what to do than she did. Upon seeing him she turned back to face Harry and shaking her head vehemently said.

“No, not him… if we can't have Meagan, I want Isolde.”

At the sound of her name Isolde looked up for the first time since entering the room. Paige looked up from her examination of Hermione and stared at the other woman. Sensing what Paige must be thinking Hermione spoke again.

“Isolde does this everyday as a muggle she knows all about this sort of thing and I'd feel far more comfortable if it were the two of you looking after me than someone I don't know.”

Before Paige could respond Isolde interjected.

“Hermione I'm an obstetrician not a healer. I wouldn't know where to begin with a magical birth, if something went wrong…”

Hermione butted in.

“That's what Paige is going to be here for she'll do the wand waving while you look after getting the baby here safe and sound.”

Isolde stood staring at Hermione uncertain of what to do or say.

“I'm not sure that you're thinking clearly right now Hermione. Perhaps you ought to listen to your healer and allow someone who's qualified to handle the situation.”

Hermione shook her head stubbornly, wincing slightly as another contraction rolled over her. Seeing that she was wasting precious time arguing with the stubborn brunette Isolde took a step towards the bed and said.

“Let's get on with it then.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The waiting area of the St. Mungos maternity was packed to capacity with a sea of red. Thirty or so men and women in scarlet robes sat or stood in the tiny waiting room alongside the nine brilliantly crimson haired Weasley's and their spouses, Robert and Helen Granger and Agamemnous Melbourne. All were waiting for news of what was happening down the hall in the birthing room where Harry and Hermione were installed along with Paige and Isolde. The only sound in the room were the cries and words of the occupants from the birthing room. Isolde's voice could often be heard telling Hermione to “bear down and push”. This was closely followed by Harry's voice offering an array of supportive and encouraging words. These were in turn immediately followed by an increasingly colorful flow of insults and profanity from Hermione directed towards Harry. Fred and George's favorite to date had been when she'd called him the illegitimate spawn of a mountain troll and threatened to send his bloody bollocks the way of Voldemort if he ever came near her again. And then suddenly they air was rent by the sound of a baby's cry. Everyone held their breath and waited to get the official news. It seemed that it took forever for the door to the birthing room to open and for someone to emerge. Paige hurried down the hall to the assemblage was gathered, smiling wider than anyone had ever seen her. The Grangers jumped to their feet and meet her halfway, Robert asked quickly.

“Is Hermione alright?”

Helen added in a query of her own.

“And the baby, how is the baby?”

Paige answered Robert's query first.

“Hermione is perfectly fine, a bit exhausted, but fine.”

Robert sighed in relief. Molly, who had edged closer reiterated Helen's question.

“The baby Paige… the baby!”

Paige's smile returned as she answered.

“Fine as well, perfectly healthy and without a doubt the two most beautiful babies I've ever seen!”

“Two, did you say two?”

Paige looked at Ron, who had asked the question and nodded.

“Yes, twins, a boy and a girl!”

Ron shook his head as a grin erupted across his face as exclaimed.

“Bloody hell twins!”

-->

30. What He Always Wanted

What I Always Wanted

Chapter 28: What He Always Wanted

Harry hadn’t really known what to expect when Hermione finally went into labor. He’d expected there to a fair amount of discomfort on her part, she was after all giving birth. He’d been warned by the Weasley men that during labor Hermione was likely to say one or two things out of character but he hadn’t been prepared for anything at all like this.

“BLOODY FUCKING HELL!”

Hermione’s shouted words seemed to echo about the room. She leaning forward with her knees bent, and spread apart; she was sweating profusely, her dark brown curls were drenched and plastered to her forehead and neck. Her breaths were coming out in sharp, short pants through her gritted teeth. Her left arm was wound around Harry’s, her nails digging doggedly into his forearm and her right hand was firmly clasped in Harry’s as well. A grunt of pain slipped through Hermione’s lips as Isolde called out.

“Very good Hermione, very good, now breath, that’s it breath.”

Hermione collapsed back into Harry’s chest her head lolled over onto his right shoulder and resumed the pattern of taking deep calming breaths from the diaphragm. The breaths were choppier and more ragged than they had been before. Harry gently squeezed Hermione’s right hand in his own and whispered.

“Just hang in there love, you’re doing beautifully, we’re almost there.”

He felt her body tense and heard her click of her teeth as she clapped them together as another contraction rocked her body. Harry noted that the contractions were coming much closer now. Hermione grunted and through gritted teeth tersely rejoined with.

We’re almost there… exactly how the hell has this turned into we when I’m the one doing all the damn work!”

Before he could offer any sort of reply Hermione let out a cry and reared up from her reclining position. Isolde’s voice drifted back up to them, the commanding authority had returned.

“Hermione I need you to stay with me now and bear down and push as hard as you can.”

Catching Harry’s eye Isolde spoke to him directly and said.

“Keep her as steady and calm as you can.”

Harry nodded his head as he arranged himself so that he was bearing the full weight of Hermione’s body. He lowered his lips to her temple and softly kissed it. He felt her nails as they dug deeper in his skin as she began to push as Isolde was instructing her to do. The contractions were coming in rapid succession now. If Isolde’s commands of “push Hermione push” and the cries and grunts issuing forth from Hermione were any indication the arrival of their child was indeed close at hand. Harry bent his lips to Hermione’s ear and said.

“You’re almost there love…”

The rest of his sentence was overridden by Hermione’s groans and shouts.

“HARRY JAMES POTTER, YOU BASTARD, YOU ILLEGITIMATE SPAWN OF A MOUNTAIN TROLL… IF YOU EVER COME NEAR ME AGAIN I SWEAR TO MERLIN I’LL SEND YOU AND YOUR BLOODY BOLLOCKS THE WAY OF VOLDEMORT… UNNNH!”

Harry had barely processed what his wife had said to him when he heard the most wondrous sound… the sound of a baby’s cry. The whole world seemed to stop and tilt at the utterance of that sound. Harry was attempting to peer over Hermione’s raised knees to get a glimpse of their child when Hermione once again leaned forward a grunt ripping pass her lips. Isolde quickly handed the baby off to Paige and turned back to Hermione, who was tightly gripping Harry’s hands and arms again, he called out to Isolde asking her what was wrong but she had disappeared between the space created by Hermione’s spread legs, Hermione was grunting again and then there was that wondrous sound again… the sound of a baby crying but this one was different than before. He was brought back from his musings by the exhausted whisper of his name as Hermione fell back limply in his arms.

“Harry is… is… the baby alright?”

Hermione’s query was answered by Isolde.

“Better than alright Hermione, your son and your daughter are perfect… absolutely perfect.”

“Wha… what?”

Isolde smiled at Harry’s wide-eyed spluttering face and said.

“I said your son and your daughter are perfect… and the most beautiful pair of twins I’ve seen and I’ve seen quite a few.”

Harry stared stupidly back at Isolde and muttered.

“Twins, we’ve got twins!”

Isolde’s smile widened as she nodded. For the second time in the space of five minutes Hermione’s voice pulled Harry from his own thoughts.

“Can I see them?”

Isolde’s smile softened as she turned and patted Hermione’s hand gently.

“Of course they’re just getting smartened up a bit for you.”

Just then Paige and Healer Ashburn appeared each carrying a blanketed bundle. Harry adjusted Hermione so that she was sitting up as Paige laid a blue bundle in the crook of Hermione’s arm and then turned to retrieve the pink bundle from Healer Ashburn which she laid in the crook of Hermione’s left arm and whispered.

“They’re beautiful Hermione!”

Hermione looked down and gasped as she looked between the two babies held lovingly in her arms. Her voice was clogged with tears when she spoke.

“Oh Harry, they’re gorgeous.”

Harry laid his head alongside Hermione’s and with a nod replied.

“They get that from their mum.”

Turning slightly he placed a gentle kiss to Hermione’s temple. Hermione smiled and angling her head pressed a kiss to Harry’s throat before turning her gaze back to her son and daughter.

With a weary smile she leaned forward placed a kiss first to her son’s forehead and then to her daughter’s and said.

“Hello James Sirius and Lily Carys Potter, welcome to the world my little loves, welcome to the world.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione awoke with a start, sitting bolt upright in bed. And then she felt Harry’s arms encircling her, drawing her close.

“It’s alright Hermione you’re with me, you’re safe, everything’s alright.”

Hermione allowed the tension in her body to ease away as she settled back into Harry’s arms. She had just settled in to the bend of his arm when she realized that she was lying comfortably against his side, her massively expanding middle normally did not allow this. Hermione made to sit up again but was stopped by Harry’s firm hold as he added.

“James and Lily are fine.”

Hermione turned her head so that she was looking up at Harry; he nodded towards the bassinette sitting beside the bed. Hermione peered over and expelled the breath she’d been holding at the sight of her peacefully sleeping children. Harry smiled and gently tugged Hermione back down onto the bed. Once they were comfortably settled she asked.

“What time is it? How long have I been asleep?”

Harry rubbed her back gently.

“It’s just gone three, and as it was about nine or so that these two arrived I’d guess you’ve been out for about five or six hours give or take.”

Hermione gasped.

“Five or six hours… but how could I have… oh no, the babies… they haven’t been fed… I…”

Harry interjected.

“Hermione calm down, they’ve been fed and changed…”

This time it was Hermione who interjected as she asked.

“How… who…”

Harry pressed a kiss to his wife’s forehead as he cut across her litany of one word questions and said.

“You dropped off shortly after meeting the newest Potters, I was a bit panicked when it happened actually I thought something had gone wrong but Isolde and Paige assured me that you were just knackered. They checked you and the babies thoroughly and administered the necessary potions and draughts.”

Sensing the tension returning to her body Harry hastily amended his last statement.

“On account of you having been away… Meagan and Paige were a bit concerned about how well nourished you might have been so they thought it best to give the lot of you a nourishing draught. They also gave you and Isolde a general healing potion and a bit of a calming draught.”

Anticipating Hermione’s next question he said.

“Isolde is fine. She’s up in one of the private rooms, more at Agamemnous’ insistence than anything else.”

Feeling Hermione nod he went on.

“When time came to feed them Molly and Helen were more than willing to do the job but I felt that one of their parents should have that honor, so with the help of a couple of spells I managed to hold both of them while getting them fed.”

Hermione smiled into the darkness.

“Really?”

Harry nodded.

“Not bad for… what was it… the bastard illegitimate spawn of a mountain troll?”

Hermione flushed.

“Oh Harry I’m so sorry… I didn’t mean it… it was the pain, it was so…”

Hermione’s words were cut off by Harry’s laughter and the tender kiss he placed upon her lips. As Harry drew away Hermione noticed the sudden seriousness of his expression. He lightly caressed her cheek as he spoke in a whisper.

“I very nearly lost you… when she pointed that wand at you and said those words…”

Hermione pressed her fingers to Harry’s lips to shush him.

“Let’s not think on it. It’s over now and we’re here and we’re safe and let’s not think on it anymore… we’ve far more pleasant things to dwell on.”

Hermione’s words were punctuated by the sound of a tiny yawn. Looking over in the bassinette at the side of the bed Harry and Hermione saw two sets of dark green eyes staring up at them. Smiling Harry said.

“Look who’s awake.”

He helped Hermione into a sitting position before reaching into the bassinette and handing Lily to her mother then scooping James into his own arms he sat down beside his wife and wrapped his free arm around Hermione’s waist. Harry planted a soft kiss to Hermione’s check and murmured.

“Thank you.”

Raising an eyebrow in query, Hermione asked.

“What was that for?”

Harry laid his forehead against Hermione’s and replied.

“For loving being you, for being here, for loving me, for James and Lily, for giving me the family I’ve always wanted.”

Hermione smiled in return as she leaned forward and kissed him soundly.

31. Epilogue: Coming Home

What I Always Wanted

Epilogue: Coming Home

Hermione strode into the nursery to find Harry, dressed in his dinner things, lying on the floor wand in hand bouncing their five month old twins into the air. It had been the twins’ delighted shrieks of laughter that had alerted her to the fact that Harry was entertaining them. James and Lily were always ten times more exuberant when their father was around. It seemed that the littlest Potters had inherited more than Harry’s jet black hair and startling green eyes. They also seemed to have his love of flying through the air. Hermione smiled fondly as she stood in the doorway watching the three most important people in her life for a moment before she contorted her face into a stern expression and clearing her throat called out.

“Harry, I just put them down and now you’ve got them all wound up it’ll be the devil for mum and dad to get them settled down again.”

Harry bounced the twins higher into the air and their squeals rose in pitch. He had to raise his voice to be heard over the din the two were making.

“I would think that as Robert and Helen want to spend as much time with their grandchildren as possible they’d rather they be awake.”

“First of all if mum and dad heard you calling them by their given names they’d be crushed, and secondly, as true as it may be that mum and dad would rather Jamey and Cary be wide awake for the duration of their visit, they won’t be the ones dealing with a pair of crying, cranky babies banging miscellaneous pieces of furniture about in a fit of temper at four in the morning, that’ll be me. So I’d appreciate it if you’d stop winding them up.”

Harry looked from the twins giggling madly in midair to the place where Hermione was framed in the doorway tapping her toe against the floor. Harry’s eyes widened as he took in the sight of his stunning wife. She was wearing the simple black dress she’d worn for their wedding reception. He’d specifically requested that she wear the dress seeing as how it was their anniversary it’d seemed appropriate. As his eyes travelled up Hermione’s slender legs to her face his eyes stopped to linger on the cleavage the front of her dress allowed him to see.

Hermione smiled as she caught the expression swathing Harry’s face.

“See something you like Mr. Potter?”

In one swift movement Harry was on his feet, it took only two strides for him to cover the distance between. His arm darted out and locking itself around her waist pulled her snugly against him. Harry lowered his head and Hermione parted her lips allowing him full access to her waiting mouth. The kiss was deep and passionate and a bit frenzied; they clung to each other as though they sought to devour the other. Harry turned them around pressing Hermione’s body against the doorframe while he caressed her back and arse. She moaned wantonly and ground against him as she felt his arousal press against her. Harry’s mouth left hers fleetingly as he trailed kisses down her neck to the sensitive throbbing pulse at its base and back up again to her mouth where their lips met again in a blazing kiss. Harry’s left hand had moved from her waist up her side to cup her full breast.

Suddenly, the sound of a clearing throat intruded upon their lust clouded embrace; Hermione opened her eyes to find her parents standing just outside the doorway looking horrifically uncomfortable. Hermione blushed scarlet as she shoved Harry away and stammered.

“Mum, Dad, you’re here… Ha… Harry and I… were… were...”

Helen Granger her cheeks as scarlet as those of her daughter waved her hand in a gesture that clearly imparted that any explanation of their behavior was unnecessary. Like her mother Hermione nods and says to the room at large.

“I’m going to go and finish getting ready.”

Before anyone can respond she has fled the room. Helen looked across the room and spying the still floating twins gave a startled gasp. Harry looked around as well and upon seeing what his mother-in-law was gawking at he broke into a wide grin. Turning to Robert he pointed to the twins and exclaimed.

“Would you look at that… they’re doing it all on their own… sustained levitation at their… oh you’ve got your mummy’s brains don’t you!”

Robert Granger smiled as his son-in-law rushed across the room and scooped his son and daughter into his arms twirling them around eliciting another chorus of shrieking laughter. He then deposited a kiss on each of their foreheads before sitting them down in their playpen where Helen set about settling them down.

Harry walked back over to Robert and invited him downstairs for a drink. He had a very nice Baron de Sigognac brandy that he was certain his father-in-law would enjoy. As they sat sipping their brandy Robert asked.

“How did the trail proceedings go today?”

Harry shrugged.

“It wasn’t much of a trial really, more along the lines of a sentencing. They were just kids really; most of them had no idea about Ben and Lyra’s plans to use the Book of Spells to overthrow the Ministry… still they were party to the conspiracy so they were each sentenced to six months in Azkaban.”

Robert nodded his head absently. Before he could reply Hermione stepped into the room smiling brightly. Not long after the pair had said their good byes to Hermione’s parents and were safely ensconced in the car heading to the restaurant. Hermione had been unusually quiet during the drive. She had over heard her father and Harry talking and though she knew that many of the young witches and wizards who’d been sentenced in relation to her kidnapping had been tricked and lied to in order to gain their support and cooperation she still could not muster up a great deal of sympathy for their plight. They’d been responsible for holding her captive and endangering the lives of her children thus she couldn’t quite manage to feel bad about their having to spend time in Azkaban, a small part of her even felt that six months was a bit light considering that it had been Harry Potter’s wife and Agamemnous Melbourne’s daughter that had been held prisoner. Hermione’s mind drifted to Lyra, and she wondered if her fate had been decided as her compatriots had been. Turning in her seat slightly and focusing intently on Harry she said.

“I heard you and daddy talking about the trials earlier, and I’d like to know what if anything has been decided about Lyra.

Harry sighed. He had suspected that Hermione had over heard his and Robert’s conversation. Not wanting to ruin their evening but knowing that Hermione wouldn’t rest until her questions were answered he replied.

“Well there’s been no change in her condition. She just sis and stares at the walls. Physically there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with her. The healers at St. Mungos have tried every charm, spell and potion known to wizarding kind and still she just sits there. They say she appears to be in some sort of catatonic state brought on by her hand in her sister’s death.”

Hermione chewed her lip for a moment before asking a second question.

“And they believe that this breakdown of hers is real?”

Harry nodded.

“They don’t seem to think they have a reason to believe otherwise.”

The image of Leah being blown across the room and into the wall at the hand of her twin sister Lyra flashed across Hermione’s mind. Perhaps she should send that particular memory to the Wizengamot so they’d have a clearer picture of the type of cruelty Lyra Penneford was capable of.

Harry saw the tension as it settled across Hermione’s shoulders, reaching across the seat he grasped Hermione’s hand in his and caressed it reassuringly as he spoke.

“I’ve spoken to the Wizengamot and they’ve agreed that its best if Lyra be sent to Gevangenis Hospital for the Incurably Criminally Insane, they have experience with these kinds of cases and they’ll be able to sort out whether she’s faking or not.”

Hermione nodded.

“You must think I’m horrible for feeling this way.”

Harry shook his head.

“I’d actually be more concerned if you weren’t feeling this way considering everything that happened.”

Hermione nodded. Harry smiled and added.

“No more talk about anything unpleasant, we’re celebrating.”

Hermione returned Harry’s smiled and leaning across the seat she planted a kiss on his cheek before agreeing with Harry’s pronouncement.

“Absolutely.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry had wanted the evening to be special, just he and Hermione with no one shoving a camera in their faces, peppering them with loads of questions about the trial and the children. Thus he had made plans for the evening in muggle London. Because they were not famous in the muggle world it was often easier to enjoy private moments in environments that the majority of wizards were less likely to frequent. Tonight had been no exception. In celebration of their first year of marriage Harry had taken Hermione to see the play Arcadia at the Duke of York’s Theatre followed by a romantic dinner at Petrus. After dinner they’d gone for a lovely stroll around the Thames before heading back to the car and Hermione thought home. Thus, she was quite surprised when Harry directed the magically enhanced Mercedes 320 sedan out of the city. Within half an hour they had pulled onto a long and winding gravel track which brought them to a stately old manor house some fifty miles west of London. Sooner than Hermione could open her mouth to ask where they were and why Harry stopped the car and hastily scrambled out. Offering her his hand he helped her out of the car and wrapping an arm about her waist turned her so that she facing the manor and the rolling expanse of an estate on which it sat. Smiling brightly Harry asked.

“Look familiar?”

Hermione was about to say no when suddenly she was hit by the oddest feeling of déjà vu. She had seen this house before she was certain of it. Her eyes scanned the darkened grounds and felt a familiarity in the trees that dotted the meadow; she had been here before of before but when. She was just about to ask Harry whose house it was when she remembered a dream that Harry had once shown her, a dream with a green-eyed little boy with the mop of messy brown hair careening through the air astride a broom with his green-eyed, messy dark haired father. This was the very same house that Harry had shown her when he’d asked her to marry him. Staring incredulously at the house before her Hermione exclaimed.

“You bought the house from your dream!”

Still grinning Harry replied.

“Not exactly… I had house built.”

Hermione turned to Harry the surprised expression still covering her face.

“You built the house?”

Harry nodded. Hermione added another query.

“But the estate… how did you…”

Harry cut in.

“I’ve owned the property for sometime now. Since Ron bought the cottage in Hertfordshire actually.”

Seeing the stunned look on his wife’s face he gave a small chuckle before going on.

“Ron was proving so hard to please that the estate agent thought it might be a good idea to show him some property as building a house seemed more of a likely option for him than purchasing one. Ron wasn’t too keen on building though so he passed on the idea. But I saw… well… you know what I saw… so I bought the estate.”

“You’ve had this all that time?”

Harry nodded.

“Its just sat here idle until Jamey and Cary came along that is… after coming so close to losing you I though I had better get moving on my promise to you about our stopping living the life we were meant to live in dreams.”

The words were barely out of Harry’s mouth when Hermione threw her arms around him in a vise-like grip and kissed him with such force and passion that when she finally let him go he staggered back a few paces. Hermione’s kiss reminded Harry of their earlier interlude in the nursery at Grimmauld Place. Robert and Helen knew all about the house and had prepared to stay the night with the twins.

Out of the blue Harry realized how truly fortunate to have Hermione in his life, how fortunate he had always been to have her unwavering devotion and love, especially her love. It seemed that he had spent his entire life searching for the one thing that would make him complete without realizing that she had been right by his side since he was eleven years old. A broad grin broke across his face as he scooped his wife up into his arms and strode off towards their new home and the life that he had always wanted.