Vengence Will Be Mine

Gaya Hriive

Rating: PG13
Genres: Angst, Drama
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 08/06/2006
Last Updated: 11/06/2006
Status: In Progress

Excerpt: "Hermione had opted for the job as the Head of the Auror Department when Alastor Moody had been killed but she would never admit to herself that she had taken it because it might mean a chance to kill again." A two or three parter in which revenge has a new master and her name is Hermione Granger.

1. Rain


Hermione hugged her cloak tightly around her as the rain beat down in large drops and strong wind. She made her way up the path to Hogsmeade, fighting against the raucous storm. It had been raining for three days straight but it seemed to her the storm was at its worst now. She caught sight of the Three Broomsticks up ahead, its lights a diminished glow in the pouring rain. As she got closer to the building Hermione could make out two figures embracing, the rain falling around them. She moved forward and stopped as a weight dropped in her stomach. The taller figure was Harry and as Hermione studied more closely the person wrapped tightly in his arms was Ginny Weasley. Hermione stopped abruptly merely feet from the two and stood stone still. Anger flared through her as she watched Harry run his hands up and down Ginny's back in a comforting gesture. He kissed the top of her head and Hermione felt hot tears mix with the cold rain on her face. She turned in a blur and the sudden movement was enough to catch Harry's eye. Hermione set off at a run with Harry splashing after her, both of them stumbling and slipping in the slick puddles impressed on the muddy lane.

“Hermione! HERMIONE! STOP!” Harry called over the roar of the rain. Hermione heard him and slowed to a fast walk but she did not stop completely. Her anger was great but her hurt was beating inside her chest like something caged. She felt her heart breaking and the tears came faster down her slick face. Harry caught up enough to grab her arm and he spun her around with such force that she had to steady herself against him. He held her tightly, preventing her from running away again. Hermione averted her eyes, not wanting to look at the face of the man she loved so much. Harry knew without asking what was wrong, why she had run. He tilted her face to his as to catch her eyes but she stayed determinedly looking away.

“Hermione, it's not what it looked like. I swear. I would never do that to you.”

Hermione looked at him then. His eyes were so sincere, so real and the pain in them was almost more than she could stand.

“Then what was it Harry. Why did I find Ginny in your arms when you were meeting me? I've had my doubts Harry, about us, but if you don't want me, then now is the time to say so. Don't string me along. Don't hurt me.” Hermione lowered her face once more but not before she saw a tear trickle from Harry's brilliant eye.

“Hermione…I was waiting for you outside the Three Broomsticks where you asked me to be. Ginny came running up from Fred and George's shop crying. I've never seen her cry like that before. I knew something was wrong before she said anything. She just gripped my shirt like it was the only thing she had to hold herself together.” He stopped, sobs choking in his throat. He coughed twice and tried to continue, his voice low and soft. “Malfoy attacked Ron. He's at St. Mungo's. They're not sure if he's going to make it.”

Hermione stood perfectly still against Harry's firm body. She had heard his words but was refusing to believe them. Ron would be fine. He would be ok. He was a good wizard; he knew how to take care of himself. Surely the healers would know that. Hermione found her voice small and choked.

“What…what did he do to him Harry?”

“He cornered Ron outside the Room of Requirement after everyone had already left to come to Hogsmeade. He…he used the Cruciatus on him. Extensively. If his body survives, his mind may not. Malfoy was vicious, cruel. He was about to use the Avada Kedavra but McGonagall stopped him. She heard Ron screaming from the grounds.”

Hermione huddled herself into Harry and he closed her to him tightly, stroking her hair and back much the same as he done for Ginny. Hermione felt the sobs rise up in her chest and before she could stop them they burst from her in an awful chorus of shrieks and ragged breaths. She was vaguely aware that Harry was also crying, sobbing with her. Hermione came to her senses a little and hugged Harry more tightly.

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm stupid…I shouldn't have…Harry…. I know you…. God, I'm sorry. I'm sorry.”

”Shhhh Hermione, shh. Don't talk. It's ok. I know it looked bad, you seeing me holding Ginny that way but she needed the comfort. She needed me right then, as her friend, as her brother's best friend. It's ok.”

Hermione looked over Harry's shoulder and saw Ginny walking towards them hugging herself as though if she let go she would fall apart all over the place. Hermione released Harry and moved toward Ginny in a blur of speed. Ginny opened her arms and Hermione embraced her, holding her much the same way Harry had. Ginny sobbed into her shoulder and Hermione stroked her hair gently, willing her to be soothed by comfort and touch.

Underneath the fear and the hurt at the thought of losing her other best friend, Hermione felt rage. It sent heat coursing through her entire body, giving her strength and one clear thought. Revenge. If Ron died, she would kill Malfoy. If Ron lived but his mind was unsalvageable, then she would kill Malfoy. Either way the coined was tossed, Malfoy was as good as dead. The thought that she would actually kill him scared her, but only for a moment. She would do anything for Harry and Ron. Anything, even if that meant she had to kill.

After the final battle she had counted all the Death Eaters she had killed. The number had shocked and scared her at first. Fifteen people dead by her hand was no small thing. It had taken her months to get over the fact that she'd had to kill. But when she had healed, Hermione found that a part of her had hardened and turned cold. For every Death Eater she had killed, each one of them had taken a small piece of her with them. The battle had been over four years ago but sometimes it seemed just yesterday that she was taking a body count.

Hermione had opted for the job as the Head of the Auror Department when Alastor Moody had been killed but she would never admit to herself that she had taken it because it might mean a chance to kill again. Harry and Ron had stayed on at Hogwarts as professors, nice, safe jobs where they were relatively out of danger. But Hermione put herself in harm's way almost daily and she liked it. She loved the thrill of the chase and the accomplishment of catching the bad guys. Despite her best efforts to locate him, Draco Malfoy had eluded her for the better part of the last four years. But now she was sure that she would catch him. And standing in the pouring rain holding a crying Ginny, Hermione knew that once she caught him, she would kill him. And she wouldn't feel the slightest bit of regret.

To Be Continued…


-->

2. I Will


Hermione made some tea and made sure that Harry and Ginny were settled comfortably on the living room sofa. She told Harry to put on the television but neither he nor Ginny seemed to want anything more than the heavy silence that filled the small house. Hermione placed a small kiss on Harry's forehead and steadied her hands on his shoulders.

“I've got to get some things together then we must talk. I need some information.”

Harry gave the slightest of nods and turned his lost eyes up to Hermione. Those eyes that normally sparkled brightly with life and love were empty and distant now. Hermione felt her gut tighten and the anger rolled through her like a tidal wave. She felt her cheeks grow warm but she forced herself into that quiet place where she felt nothing. It was just static and white noise where she felt no emotions, no pain, nothing. Slowly the anger dripped away and she came back to herself. She squeezed Harry's shoulders gently and walked to their bedroom down the narrow hallway.

In the standing bureau was where Hermione kept her weapons. After Hermione took the Head of the Auror division job, she was asked to be kept on retainer by the London police. Whenever there were magical crimes or problems, she was called in to help. As such, she kept a wide variety of muggle weapons. She always carried her trusty Browning Buckmark and her second favorite, the Bersa Thunder. She strapped her shoulder holster across her back and placed the guns in. She removed two of her best knives, very expensive custom made, and strapped one to each forearm. She debated about taking the long sword that fit down her back but she opted against it. Surely her wand, two guns, and two knives would be enough. She was hoping that the wand would be enough.

After her gear was in place, Hermione dressed in black slacks, a black fitted tank top and a black suit jacket to conceal the weapons. She didn't want to scare people by walking around with her weapons in plain sight. She pulled her hair back in a lose pony tail, slipped two extra clips of ammo into her slacks pocket and went back into the living room where Harry and Ginny were still sitting quietly.

Ginny jumped slightly as Hermione entered the room and Harry simply looked up, that lost expression still etched into his face. Hermione took a seat in one of the plush armchairs across from the couch and leaned forward slightly. She wanted to be delicate in her questioning but she also needed answers as quickly as possible.

“Ginny, I need to know exactly what happened, if you can tell me. Everything, I need as many details as you can supply.”

Ginny looked blank for a moment and then her brow creased with the effort of concentration. They all sit still for a few moments while Ginny collected her thoughts.

“I was on my way to the school to meet Ron for lunch. We had some things we needed to discus and it seemed like Hogsmeade weekend was a good time for an uninterrupted chat. I met McGonagall half way to the castle. She looked really shaken but she wouldn't say anything. She just ran past me into the school. I followed her up to the corridor where the Room of Requirement is. Ron was lying there, not moving. His face was bloodied up pretty badly and it looked like his right arms was broken. McGonagall didn't move him because she wasn't sure how bad his injuries were so she just tried to talk to him to keep him conscious. I think she'd told Hagrid to call St. Mungos and tell them we had an emergency.

I bent down next to Ron, opposite of her just trying to soothe him. He was in a lot of pain. She asked him who did this to him and all he could say was `Malfoy.' The healers got there and out him on a stretcher and apparated him out.”

Hermione scoffed slightly.

“Ginny, you can't-“

“I know, I know. You can't apparate into or out of Hogwarts. I don't understand how they did it but they did. I don't know. I don't know how Malfoy got into the castle to begin with. It's too protected.”

Harry cleared his throat and spoke in a soft whisper.

“I think I know how he got in. The wards around the castle have been a little shaky lately. We didn't worry too much about it because there haven't been any threats or reasons to lockdown the castle. There is a hole in the wards, around the Astronomy tower. We've never really been able to close it since Dumbledore died. But we didn't think it was big enough to actually be a hole in our defenses. I guess we were wrong and what has it cost us? Ron.”

Hermione moved forward in her seat more and touched Harry's knee.

“Whatever happens Harry, I swear by everything in this world that Malfoy will die. I've has a Ministry issued order of execution on him since I took the job. I've just not been able to find him. Now he's here and I have a very good feeling that he is still in the area. I'm going to check out the cave in the mountain where Sirius used to hide. He's going to be somewhere around there. He hasn't finished what he came here to do. But I will kill him before he can. Trust me on that.”

Harry turned his lost eyes to Hermione and she noticed that now they also held a hint of fear.

“Can you really do that? Can you really kill him without blinking Hermione?”

“Yes.”

Ginny looked up and there was fierceness to her gaze as she locked eyes with Hermione.

“Good. I want him dead. By whatever means necessary Hermione. If you have to rip his heart out, do it. He deserves to die for what he's done. And not just for attacking Ron, although that is enough in its self. He's killed so many people, now it's time someone killed him.”

“I agree Ginny, I agree. And it's my job to take him out.”

“I'm going with you Hermione.” Harry said suddenly.

“No, Harry, no. I can't let you put yourself in danger because who knows what Malfoy is capable of. You've done your part and paid your price. You saved us all. But this is my task, my job.”

”I don't think you're worried about me getting hurt Hermione. I just don't think you want me to see you kill him because you're not sure how I would react. You've never let me see the work side of you because you are afraid that it will scare me off. That's it isn't it?”

Hermione took a breath and closed her eyes for just a second. When she opened them she made sure that Harry saw what was inside of her. She made him see the danger and the absolute coldness that was deep in her heart. She was no china doll. She was a killer. Regardless of her kindness and love and intelligence, she was still a dangerous weapon.

“Harry, you're right. I don't want you to see me in action because I'm not sure what it would do to you. To us. It's one thing for you to know what I do but it's a completely different story for you to see it. This isn't just a job, this is me. This is what I am. Underneath the familiar Hermione exterior I am a killer. I kill to protect, to avenge, because I say I will. I don't bluff Harry. If I say I will see Malfoy dead at the end of my wand or my gun, then I will. And I will not be sorry for it.”

Harry stood and Hermione got up to meet him. He encircled her in the familiar warmth of his embrace and kissed her, long and full. They broke apart from the kiss and Hermione rested her head gently on his shoulder.

“I know who, what you are and I love you for it. Nothing will ever change that Hermione. So go, do what needs doing. And if you can manage, bring us Malfoy's head in a basket.”

Hermione smiled ever so slightly and let go of Harry. She touched her hand to her forehead in a salute and lowered it to her side.

“Your wish is my command.”

With that she turned and apparated into Hogsmeade to search the caves and make a kill.

TO Be Continued…


-->