Aloha Hawaii

greenbee

Rating: PG13
Genres: Romance, Humor
Relationships: Lily & James
Book: Lily & James, Books 1 - 6
Published: 24/10/2006
Last Updated: 27/01/2008
Status: In Progress

James Potter's family takes a muggle style vacation to Hawaii and that means no magic. Lily Evans and her sister Petunia, along with Petunia's boyfriend Vernon, take a vacation to the same place in Hawaii as James's family. The two are bound to run into each other... This is an new and improved version of the story.

1. A Chance Meeting


a/n: This is a revised version of the story previously posted both here and on FF.net.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

James Potter sighed and ran a hand through his already tousled jet-black hair as he looked out across the surf of the Hawaiian Islands before letting his hand fall limply at his side. Bored and uninspired, he ran his hand through his hair once again, this time attempting to make it lie flat, instead of just ruffle it up. Unsuccessful, he turned his gaze to his feet, which were buried underneath the sand with just his toes peaking through. Picking up his foot he gave a great kick, causing sand to scatter everywhere. The corners of his mouth turned down, resulting in a quite comical look while he contemplated his current situation. Coming to a conclusion, he gave a brisk nod of the head and placed full blame for his boredom at the feet of his best mate, Sirius Black, for refusing to accompany the Potters on this miserable muggle vacation. As hard as he tried, James couldn't really blame him for staying behind. After all, if he had is own flat like Sirius he would, to quote the mangy mutt, “shag his bloody brains out without having to worry about any interruptions” as well.

For what seemed like the millionth time that day, James wondered why his mum and step-dad insisted on taking a muggle vacation. The “family” vacation part was bad enough, but did it have to be a muggle vacation without any magic at all? It wasn't the muggles he minded, but the absence of magic. It figures just when he turned of age, his mom would pull a wonky stunt like this. Already he couldn't wait to return home, and it was only the first day. He ran his hand through his hair again, ruining all previous attempts at personal grooming, as it now stuck up at odd angles and looked even messier than the first time he ran his hand through it. I might as well just go back to the bloody hotel - at least there might be some decent chicks there… Just as he was turning around to head back to his hotel room, a sandy haired boy about his age and build came jogging up to him with a bright pink flyer in his hand.

“Hey - you party?”

James raised an eyebrow, “Who doesn't?”

The guy stuck out his hand, “Names Sintmen, Matt Sintmen.”

James grasped his hand, “Potter, James Potter. Nice to meet ya mate. What's this about a party?”

Matt laughed, “It's going to be great. We have one every Thursday night on Flanders Beach - starts about 9. You interested?”

“Sure, but why Thursday? Seems an odd day for a party.”

Matt rubbed his small goatee thoughtfully, “You know. I'm not sure. It's always been on Thursdays.”

James grinned, “Fair enough. So…what do you people do around here until then?”

Matt laughed again, “We surf son, we surf.”

“Surf?”

This time it was Matt who raised a brow, “You know, ride the waves. Only the best sport to ever exist!”

James shook his head slightly side to side, silently indicating that he still had no idea what Matt was talking about. Another chuckle escaped Matt before he clapped James on the back, “Come on, I'll introduce you to the sport of the gods. You'll thank me later.”

James laughed. “So the chicks dig it, then?”

“Oh yeah, dude. Oh yeah.”

With that, Matt began to jog back to the other side of the beach and James trailed after him, thinking that maybe this might not be such a horrid vacation after all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Lily Evans was lying in a hammock beside the hotel pool with a copy of The Great Gatsby covering her face. Her emerald eyes were shut tight and her red hair was sprawled all over the tiny pillow. To observers she looked like a teenage girl sunbathing. The truth was, she was sleeping off her hangover from a party Wendy dragged her to the night before, and having a stimulating argument with her conscience.

I'll just use a sobering spell - I do know wandless magic… Professor Dumbledore did not teach you wandless magic so that you could party and drink to your heart's content. It would be just this once, and I won't drink as much tonight… Do you really think you are acting the way the future head girl of Hogwarts should behave? Lily dear, I think it would be best if you stayed in tonight and the rest of the nights as well… I'll try and get rid of it the muggle way, but if it doesn't work I will just use the sobering spell because I am going to the Flanders Beach party tonight for sure. Do you really think… Yes, I do. I deserve to have some fun, that is why Mum and Dad sent Petunia and I on this vacation - even if she did tell me that she would not be socializing with me and I had better stay away from Vernon (the fat bloody cow she calls a fiancé) and her - and I will enjoy myself.

Lily opened her eyes and after glancing at her watch, realized it was already 7 o'clock. She quickly looked around before muttering “sturbulnis” - her favorite of the sobriety charms. Gathering her things, Lily made her way back to her hotel room and just as she was about to open the door, she heard, “Hey Tiger Lily! Ready to party?”

Turning around she saw Wendy Garrett, her favorite cousin who also just happened to be her partying partner in crime. “What do you think? I was just going to get changed.”

“So you need some help deciding what to wear Tiger Lily? I do have killer fashion sense you know.”

Lily laughed, knowing that unless she dropped dead Wendy would have picked out her outfit anyway, and even then, Wendy would probably dress her for the funeral. With out waiting for a response, Wendy walked into the hotel room and began to dig through Lily's suitcase muttering to herself about Lily's fashion sense, or lack thereof. Lily chuckled again and shut the door. This party was going to be completely groovy. Maybe she would find a nice guy there…a muggle would be fun to get involved with…there could be no strings attached that way…Besides. I deserve to have some fun... Getting repetitive are we?...No, this time I was talking about a boy, not drinking. Completely different...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

James was hanging out with Matt and some other guys he met during his `surfing lesson'. He had been surprised at first when he figured out what surfing actually was, but eventually got excited about the idea. It gave him something to do on the vacation anyway, and Matt and his friends turned out to be pretty cool. He wasn't sure what they were talking about all the time and he did have to pretend to know about muggle sports. But whatever mistakes he made could be easily covered up. How was he supposed to know what baseball was? Luckily the excuse, “I'm British mate. Don't really follow American sports,” worked fairly well. After spending the day in the water, James was looking forward to the party, especially since Matt had promised to introduce him to some beautiful chick that was coming with his girlfriend.

“Yo, Wendy over here!” Matt shouted across the beach when he spotted his girlfriend, who, as far as James could tell, was a dirty blonde of average height with an athletic body more than a curvy one. Not that he was looking.

After gazing adoringly at his girlfriend for a few seconds, he turned to James and wiggled his eyebrows, “I told you everything gets hotter when the sun goes down! Damn, she looks good tonight!”

He nudged James with his elbow, “Do me a favor, though. You're only allowed to check out her friend. Not my girl.”

James laughed, “Wouldn't dream of it. I don't steal my mate's girls.” He stared at the two girls slowly making their way towards them, but was unable to get a good look. He turned back to Matt, “I'm going to go grab a beer.” He was already walking towards the refreshments before asking, “You want one?”

“Thanks mate. But make it snappy, I want you to meet Wendy and Lils.” Matt called after him.

The name Lils stuck in James head as he went to get the drinks…do you think…nah, it couldn't be the same Lily, she never lets anyone call her Lils, and besides, Miss Perfect Prefect Lily Evans wouldn't ever go near a party that has booze. Not to mention...Hawaii is practically on the other side of the world. What are the odds? No need to get worked up Prongsie…Lils is NOT Miss Perfect Prefect...

By the time James got the drinks and returned to where he had left Matt, the girls were already there. His gaze quickly ran across both girls, then immediately returned to the red head next to Matt's girlfriend. There was no mistaking her. His breath caught in his throat as he silently handed Matt the glass of beer. How wrong he had been. How naïve and practical he had been. Now he knew, never assume something can't happen. Standing next to Wendy, was Lily Evans, the girl of his dreams, Miss Perfect Prefect.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

After Wendy deemed Lily fit to enter Flanders society, the girls began the walk to the beach. It wasn't until they reached the beach that Lily remembered Wendy's boyfriend was supposed to meet them at the hotel and escort them to the party. When she relayed this to Wendy, the other girl crinkled her nose and gave a Lily a crooked smile, “Yeah, but the bum found some dude on the beach and they went surfing instead. Matt says he's totally perfect for you though.”

“Really! Don't tell me he knows my type already! Wow. I can't believe it, and here, I don't even know my type. Your Matt is too amazing for words, Wendy.”

“Ha. Ha. So funny. Maybe there's a reason.” Wendy looked at her expectantly.

Lily threw up her hands. “Okay! Tell me why!”

“So nice of you to ask!” Wendy laughed, “He's perfect for you because he's on vacation too and you won't ever have to see him again. It will be a great `summer fling'. Like Danny and Sandy!” Wendy squealed and jumped up clapping her hands like a little girl. “But without that whole meet again at school and then totally fall in love and live happily ever after. You can just do the summer lovin' part.”

“I think that's a contradiction in itself.”

“Shut up you. I meant you could just have fun, like a make-out buddy.”

“I know what you meant…but it's called a snog buddy.”

Wendy stuck her tongue out at Lily. “Point of the matter is…it would still be fun to have one! Oi! There's Matt.”

“Yo, Wendy over here!”

The girls walked toward Matt, and as they got closer Wendy's smile turned into a frown when she realized the only guy there was her boyfriend. Oblivious to her discontent, Matt leaned down to give her a kiss, only to be interrupted by a, “Hey, where's that James guy you were telling me about?”

Lily head snapped to attention at the mention of a James with a look of panic on her face, completely missing the mini argument going on next to her. She shook her head. It can't be James bloody Potter. There is no way in hell he we would be in Hawaii at the same time. Merlin don't do this to me…It's not him...Of course not dearie, you are just panicking. I told you not to drink... you're right, it's not him, it's not him, it won't be him, he's back in England where he should be, not Hawaii...That's right. Think positively. It does wonders for your complexion…I'm not worried about my complexion! I'm worried about James bloody Potter being on this very beach!...Temper, Temper, I was only looking out for your health…Maybe...Ah! It's not James. It's just not.

While Lily was deep in thought, James had already made his way back to where Matt and the girls were. When she looked up from her study of her polished toes, it was into his beautiful hazel eyes. Dang it! I thought you said he wouldn't be here. But no, Matt's James is my James. Bloody James Potter and...Damn, he looks good enough to eat... See, I told you my dear, he is an attractive man…After all he's your James…

Lily just stared back at James, unsure of what to say…

____________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: Hoped you liked it! If so, tell me why and what parts! If you did, tell me why and how you think I can fix it! Thanks! Review


-->

2. Flanders Beach


a/n: Thank you for all your reviews! There are review replies if you look, and CC means constructive criticism.

_____________________________________________

Lily immediately went back to admiring her toes, happy to ignore James and yet, surprisingly hesitant to insult him outright. Her silence and discomfort did not go unnoticed by James, but his silence came from the shock of finding his Lily at a party. Luckily for the pair, Wendy and Matt were too busy “making up” from their little spat earlier to take note of the tension among their guests.

After what seemed like hours to Lily, but was merely more than half a minute, she lifted her head and stared James in the eye, “Hi.”

At the sound of her voice Wendy and Matt ended their game of tonsil hockey and remembered they had guests. Guests whom they were hoping would hit it off. Wendy gave Matt's hand a little squeeze, “Aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?”

Matt threw her a look of loving exasperation, “Wendy, darling, this is the guy I was telling you about, James. James, this is Wendy…”

“His gorgeous devoted girlfriend, and if he's said otherwise…it's a lie.” She flashed him a bright smile before turning to Lily, “And this is my friend Lily, who's…”

This time it was Lily cutting off Wendy, “Hi. Nice to meet you.” She gave a slight wave.

The corner of James's mouth twitched as if he were holding back a smile. “Likewise.”

The four teens stood silently for a minute before Wendy spoke up. “Lily and I are going to go get something to drink. We'll be right back.”

Matt gently grabbed Wendy's arm, “I'll go get them.” He looked over at Lily, “What would you like?”

Wendy smiled sweetly, “Thanks, but we'll get our own drinks.”

“I'll go get them it's no big deal.”

“We can manage fine.”

“Really…”

Lily and James stared at the two as they bickered back and forth over who would go get the drinks. Lily smiled to herself. She knew exactly why Wendy wanted to go get those drinks. Unwilling to interrupt their argument as she did not want Wendy to start interrogating her, she once again fixed her gaze on James. I say…your James is a mighty intelligent man…Not contradicting you…He's not a man. And he's NOT my James...Oh, but it was you who first called him that…I did not! I don't even like the guy. Why use a possessive when referring to him?...I don't know. Maybe you should think on that…since you're the one using the possessive…Ha! He's an insufferable prat. Not to mention extremely immature! He's always ruffling his hair too. You'd think he had a nest of nargles or something the way he acted. And...You know dearie, it sounds to me like someone pays an awful lot of attention to a man she claims to hate…I never said I hated him. He irritates me. Besides. You can hardly miss him. He's a complete showoff...Hmmm…What does that mean?!...Nothing dearie. Nothing at all…Right. Like I'd, ugh, I'm going to be... That was as far as Lily got before she gracefully vomited all over the sand in front of her, missing James by mere centimeters. It was only graceful because she managed to avoid herself all together and only hit the sand.

The argument between Wendy and Matt immediately ceased to exist and before either could blink James was at her side, holding her up. Matt spoke up first, “Are you sick?”

Wendy rolled her eyes in disbelief and lightly smacked Matt on the back of his head. “Ding-bat! Do you think people just barf for the fun of it? Of course she's sick!” She shook her head in a show of exasperation. “Honestly. But seriously Tiger Lily, are you alright.”

This time it was Matt who shook his head in disbelief. “You just jumped on me because I…”

Lily, sensing they were about to break into yet another flirtatious argument, held up her hand, “I'll be fine. I'm just going to go back to my hotel room.”

James glanced over at the pair before concentrating on Lily,. “I'll walk with her. I'm staying in the same hotel anyway…”

“You are? How do you know that? Have you met before?” Wendy tilted her head and looked at James thoughtfully for a moment before glaring at Matt, “Did you tell him where her hotel was?”

“What? Are you crazy woman? I don't even know where his hotel is! I think you have finally cracked…” Matt shook his head at Wendy, muttering under his breath about women and their crazy ideas.

“Don't call me woman!” She shot him a dirty look before turning her attention back to James, “Well, I'm waiting…”

Lily was about to respond to Wendy's question, when she vomited again. James held her hair back for her before moving his hand to his own hair. He scratched the back of his head, messing up the hair there - something he tended to do when he was nervous. “You see, I accidentally bumped into her this morning…I wasn't paying too much attention to where I was going.” He smiled sheepishly.

“Oh, sorry.”

“That's okay, but I'm going to take Lily back to the hotel now.”

“I'll go with her. You guys really don't know each other.” She started to walk towards her but stopped at Lily's weak smile.

“It's alright, Wendy. I'm sure it's just a bug or something. No big deal. Po - James can take me. You stay, have fun.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, besides he owes me for this morning anyway.” Idiot! Why did I just agree to let Potter take me back to my hotel? Merlin, I'm such a moron! Dearie…it's quite simple…No! I'm not listening to you right now. Bloody Hell! I'm gonna blow chunks again…

“Well, alright…But call me if you need anything okay?” Wendy turned to James. “No funny business tonight mister.”

James laughed, “Does that mean there can be funny business another night?”

Before either girl could answer Lily vomited once again. Blast it all! I must have done the sobering spell wrong!

James gently took hold of Lily's elbow and placed the other on the small of her back before guiding her away from the party and back towards the direction of the hotel. He turned and yelled back to Matt, “I'll catch you early tomorrow mate.”

“Bright and early, son. Bright and early.”

As Lily and James walked away, Wendy turned to Matt with confusion etched on her face and her baby browns deep with thought. “They seemed awful comfortable with each other, don't you think?”

Matt nodded thoughtfully, “That they did.”

“What did he mean see you early tomorrow? I thought we were going surfing.”

“We are.”

“But you just…” A look of understanding settled on her face, “You are quite brilliant.”

“You're right. I am brilliant.”

“Oi! Don't let it go to you head.”

Matt slipped his hands around her waist and lightly kissed her neck, “Oh, I intend to.”

“Hm?” Wendy didn't bother with a proper answer, she was too busy being distracted by Matt's lovely mouth.

“Don't. Worry. About. It.” Matt followed each word with a kiss before spinning her in his arms so they were face to face. He gave her a devilish grin before finishing with, “Woman.”

Wendy opened her mouth to scold him, but was interrupted by a kiss. All thoughts of Lily and James vanished from her head.

_______________________________________________

As soon as they were out of earshot, Lily spoke up, “What are you…”

James tenderly placed a finger on her lips, “You can yell at me after we get back to your hotel room and we fix your botched attempt at a sobering spell okay?”

Lily refrained from responding and, surprisingly, did what James told her to do. That bloody bastard! How dare he accuse me of botching my sobering spell…Dearie, you already said you botched you sobering spell…But he's not allowed to point it out! And then ordering me around, how dare he think he can…I'm gonna throw up again…

James held Lily's hair back from her face once again. That last bit of retching confirmed his theory. No one threw up four times in less than twenty minutes unless they messed up some spell. He refrained from saying anything else and continued to trace soothing circles on the small of her back.

Merlin, she feels brilliant…but is going to kill me once she is feeling better…well, at least she can't use magic, especially cause Mum confiscated my wand for the vacation!...Wait, how did she do the sobering spell, then?...Maybe she is really sick…bloody hell, and I just accused her of botching a spell…Miss Perfect Prefect never messes up a bloody spell! Shit, I am so dead, totally dead…

Lily was able to make it to the hotel with out any further embarrassment and remained silent until they reached the door of her hotel room, “Well, this is me…”

a/n: Okay, so this chapter is a little shorter, but I promise they won't get any shorter than this! The next chapter should be up sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday. As always…tell me what you liked, and didn't!


-->

3. The Wrong Spell


a/n: Thank you for all your reviews! There are review replies if you look, and once again, CC means constructive criticism.

___________________________________________________________________________________

“Oh, right.”

“Uh, Potter…you can let go of me now.” Lily raised an eyebrow at him.

James raised an eyebrow back and reluctantly removed his hands from her waist, “Not even a thank you, Evans?”

What a bloody wanker! Thank him! For what, trying to grope and manhandling me? How…Dearie, I think you are getting a tad carried away. He did no such thing! In fact… I think he was rather sweet…He's still Potter. There's a hidden motive somewhere…dearie, just try to keep your temper in check, he hasn't done anything to you…Lily snorted out loud as she opened the door to her hotel room, scoffing at both James and her conscience.

“Thank you? What for? I will have you know…”

Lily was unable to finish her thought as she turned and sprinted to the bathroom leaving James standing in front of her hotel room with the door wide open. He grinned devilishly and entered the room, lightly closing the door behind him. As he glanced around the room, he noticed a piece of parchment lying on the table. He stared at it for a moment, before he let his curiosity get the best of him. He quickly scanned the room to make sure Lily was no where to be found before he picked it up and began to read,

Dear Lily,

I am completely jealous of you, but then I have said that every letter… I bet you are so tan by now, just lying on the beach doing nothing, while I'm stuck here getting a rain tan! We have had so much darn rain! And I mean even more than usual! No, the rain is not peaceful and relaxing and yada yada yada. It's horrid and needs to go away! But, knowing you, I bet you're probably lying on the beach trying to “immerse yourself in the great classic muggle literature” and reading all the textbooks for next term. Haha, just kidding Lils!

On to your problem…I see no problem with using magic to get rid of your hangover. Seriously Lils, I bet you have suffered through five hangovers already. You know wandless magic! There is nothing wrong with using it! SO DON'T FEEL GUILTY! If it would make you feel better, you can say it's for your health. Of course, you could always stop drinking. But, really, where's the fun in that! Remember, I expect some juicy stories about your summer lovin'! Owl me with details!

Love,

Celia

James looked up from the letter and a wide grin lit across his face. Well, well, well. Miss Perfect Prefect isn't as pure as everyone would believe... But where did she learn wandless magic? I knew it was a botched sobering spell…nothing else would make someone throw up so much…

James silently made his way over to the bathroom, letter still in hand, and pressed his ear against the door. He heard Lily mumble something under her breath and yanked the door open…

After rinsing her mouth out, Lily sighed and slid down the bathroom door, resting her back against it and stretching her legs out in front of her. She was exhausted both physically and mentally. Bloody hell! Where did I say the stupid spell wrong? I have never messed up a sobering spell before…but then… I've always used my wand...I hate age restrictions on magic! Why couldn't my birthday been before this vacation? That is the last time I'm taking Celia's advice…See dearie, I told you not to use wandless magic…I also told you to get rid of your hangover the muggle way…but did you listen to me? No, you never listen to me…would you just shut up! How about a little help instead of just criticizing me!...Humph!...Did you just humph at me? Great...Fine. Maybe you said the incantation wrong…

Lily knocked her palm against her forehead, “Of course! I'm such a bloody moron!”

She scrunched her nose up and grimaced, “I said sturbulnis not slurbulnis!”

Lily took a deep breath, shook her head, closed her eyes, and then muttered the spell under her breath; only to find herself falling backwards the minute the words were out of her mouth. The minute she opened her eyes, she saw James's hazel eyes twinkling with delight above her.

“Potter! What the hell are you doing here!”

He gave her a knowing look, “Experiencing short-term memory loss as well as a backfired sobriety spell, Lils? Maybe you can fix it with magic...that is if you can remember to say the correct incantation.” He dangled the letter from Celia in front of her.

Lily jumped to her feet immediately and snatched the letter out of his hand before smacking him on the chest, hard. “You little shit!” She smacked his chest again to emphasize her point, “Bastard! How dare you read my mail!” She crossed her arms and glared at him, “And I did not say the incantation wrong!”

James glared right back at her and rubbed his chest, “That hurt, Lils. I didn't think girls could hit so hard.”

Lily smirked triumphantly, uncrossed her arms and took a step closer so she was only inches away, “Do not call me Lils. Only my friends are allowed to call me that. And you certainly are not a friend.” She reinforced her statement with a quick poke to the center of his chest.

James frowned slightly and placed his hands over his heart, “Evans, you wound me.” Then he suddenly grinned brightly, “But you're right, we're not friends…we're more like…lovers”

“Get out Potter!”

“Of the bathroom? Because if you want to take this to your room, that's fine with me.”

He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and attempted to move his hands around her waist, but before he could latch on to her, she took a few steps back and brushed his hands away, “No, out of the hotel room you bloody bastard!”

“Merlin woman! You're so violent!”

“Out Potter!”

James made to turn towards the door, “So, did you fix your botched sobering spell?”

“I didn't botch my spell! It was food poisoning!”

James lips curled into a smile at the corners and grabbed the letter from her hand and dangled it in front of her, “Evans, must I refresh your memory…” He put on a high squeaky voice, “I see no problem with…”

Lily snatched the letter back from him. She was almost shaking with anger. “Get…out…now.”

She placed her hands on his back and tried to push him to the door. James let her push him into the hallway and once he was there, he turned and looked at Lily, “You know you want me Evans.”

“Go drown in the ocean Potter.” And with that she slammed the door in his face.

James grinned and walked to the elevator. I think we are getting somewhere. Merlin, Lily looks damn sexy when she's angry. I wonder what she would look like when she's all hot and … oh yeah! He glanced down at his pants…I have got to get back to my room fast! Think of something else…not Lily…Lily in a bikini…Lily naked…this is so not helping…

Lily stared at the door, clenching her fists in her hand. I hate James bloody Potter…Agh! He's such…a charmer, a sweetheart…an incredibly well built man with amazing sex appeal…no! Well, maybe the last one, but not the first two. I would hardly call him a man, and he's an arrogant, condescending bastard!...we've already established that fact dearie…tell me something new…and he certainly is a man, just as you are a woman…Point taken, but he just makes me so angry! Lily snorted...as if I would ever want him. Please. There are so many other fish in the sea, better fish, hotter fish…I think you are swimming in de-Nile…that is such a lame joke...Besides if I recall a certain someone's earlier thoughts…I claim temporary insanity.

Lily's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her door. If that is Potter I'm going to punch him in the face…such violence tonight… She opened the door slowly, expecting the worst, “Tiger Lily!”

Lily let out a sigh of relief. “Wendy,” she opened the door and let her in.

Wendy lightly touched Lily's shoulder, “Hey, are you feeling better?”

Lily smiled, “I thought I told you to stay at the party…”

Wendy returned the smile, “I did, for about an hour and a half, but I wanted to make sure you were alright…”

“Yeah, I'm fine now. It was just a touch of food poisoning.”

Wendy sighed with visible relief. “Oh good. I was worried. But..” she flashed Lily her signature grin, “Now we can go surfing with the boys tomorrow!”

“Boys?” A look of panic began to register on Lily's face.

“Yeah, Matt and James. You said you wanted to learn to surf and well, Matt is gonna help James with the basics and all again tomorrow, so I thought we could all do it together…”

“Oh…I see…” There was no question about it now, Lily was in full blown panic mode.

“So you'll do it?” Wendy peered at her hopefully.

Lily looked at Wendy…If I say no do you think she will leave me alone…you're on your own here dearie…but how bad can it be? Try and think positively…yeah…

“Tiger Lily! Hello!”

“Oh, sorry!” She grimaced, “Yeah, I'll see you bright and early tomorrow.”

Wendy failed to notice Lily's enthusiasm, and almost skipped back to the door she was so giddy with excitement. “You'll see Tiger Lily. He's totally your Danny. I can tell.”

Lily laughed at that statement. “Yeah. Let's just wait to make that judgment shall we.”

“O-k. But I still say he's your Danny.” Wendy jumped up and clapped her hands…“then that means I could be Rizzo and ……”

“Good night Wendy.”

“Night Tiger Lily! See you bright and early tomorrow!”

Lily closed the door and buried her face in her hands. Gosh darn it! I am such a bloody moron!...I just agreed to make a fool out of myself in front of Potter…why do you care what he thinks dearie?…hmm…I don't. I just…never mind…that's what I thought…Merlin, tomorrow is gonna suck arse…

____________________________________________________________________________

a/n: Sorry!! This was late! Real life kept getting in the way! I'm hoping to get the next chapter up sometime between Saturday and Sunday. As always…tell me what you liked, and didn't!


-->

4. Surfing and Revelations


Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Lily groaned and fumbled for the off button on the alarm clock. Uh…way to early…After banging her hand on the nearby lamp and almost knocking over the glass of water on her bedside table, she finally located the snooze button and rolled over to go back to sleep. This began a cycle that occurred every nine minutes until, thirty minutes after the original encounter, the phone rang disturbing Lily from her much needed sleep. She groaned once more before rolling over and burrowing beneath her pillow, holding the sides to her ears, in an attempt to block out the noise. After a minute of spectacular failure, Lily answered the phone as if a frog were stuck in her throat, “Hello.”

“Tiger Lily! Glad to hear you're awake! I hope I didn't wake you...” Wendy responded with a smile in her voice knowing she had done just that.

“Like hell you didn't.” Lily sat up and leaned back against the headboard, “Do I want to know what caused to call me at…” she glanced at the clock and blinked a few times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating.

“4:45!” Wendy supplied helpfully.

“Way too bloody early! So, what exactly possessed you to call me at this hour?”

“Ah, Lils. It's not that bad…don't you remember? We have a surfing lesson today! Scratch that. You have a surfing lesson and I get to go hit some killer waves.”

“Riiiight. But clarify for me why you're calling so early?”

“Just get dressed! I'll be over in fifteen minutes! See you then!”

Lily stared at the receiver. That girl is crazy! Lily slowly got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. After plaiting her hair, she went to get dressed. Okay, what suit do I wear…she stood in front her suitcase, looking at her two suits…I wish I brought a one piece…The door bell rang, distracting Lily from her predicament.

After opening her door she looked at her watch, “You do realize that you're seven minutes early. Are you feeling alright?”

Wendy shrugged her shoulders and grinned, “I thought you could use the help with your accessories. Well, I actually knew that you would need my help. You're positively hopeless at fashion. Think of me as the Frenchie to your Sandy.”

Lily held open the door, “I wouldn't exactly call me hopeless…”

“I would!” Wendy shot back.

Lily shook her head side to side, shut and shut the door before following Wendy to her suitcase, muttering under her breath, “And just yesterday you said you were Rizzo…seriously mental…that one…mental.”

After a careful examination, Wendy threw some clothes to Lily, “Put those on. You'll look positively smashing!”

Both girls burst into laughter, and some thirty minutes later headed down to the beach to meet the boys.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

James met Matt on the beach at 4:30 am. He rubbed his eyes and shook his head at Matt, “When you said bright and early, I didn't think you meant quite this early!”

Matt laughed, “You think this is early? My friends in California get on the beach at 3:00 am to go surfing before school starts and then they hit the surf again after class.”

“Mate, that's crazy.”

“Nah, just dedication.”

“Don't tell me you get up that early too.”

“Only on the weekends and whenever I can sneak out…”

When the boys hit the water James shrieked, “Ah! That's too damn cold!”

Matt laughed at James and rolled his eyes, “No shit Sherlock!”

“Sherlock?” James questioned.

“You know, Sherlock Holmes, famous muggle detective…” Matt responded casually and continued to paddle out to deeper water.

The comment about muggles threw James off for a minute, but then continued his paddling. “I didn't know you had heard of a muggle before.” James remarked just as casually.

“Yeah. I've heard of Quidditch too. Almost as good as surfing.”

“Are you nuts? Nothing beats Quidditch!”

There was a slightly awkward pause before James spoke up, “How did you know I was a wizard?”

“It was too easy son, too easy. First off, you were so clueless yesterday when Todd, Derrick, Ryan and I were talking about sports. And face it, what self-respecting muggle guy doesn't know anything about sports? The "I'm British" excuse didn't work, because you would have at least known what soccer, sorry, football, was. Then, at the party, Lily got sick from that sobering spell, and you seemed to know what it was right away. Actually, now that I think about it, you seemed to know Lily pretty well too.”

“Wait - how did you know that?”

“Son, I'm an expert in the area of sobering spells. I know those things.”

James laughed, “Just like that Sherlock guy, eh?”

Matt laughed as well, but once the boys had stopped paddling, he glanced over at James. “You never did answer the Lily question.”

“I didn't realize it was a question.”

“It was.”

James ran a hand through his hair, trying to figure out where to start, when Matt suddenly leaned forward and began paddling furiously. James followed suit, the question forgotten for the time being, as well as Matt's recent revelation. Now, surfing was more important. The other items could wait, the waves could not.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The girls got down to the beach around 6:00 am, a good thirty minutes late, but that was okay, Wendy was never on time and Matt usually told her to be someplace a half hour before he wanted her there…or was that an hour, she could remember the details.

“So…ready to go Tiger Lily?”

“You know…those are really big waves…maybe I'll just sit the first few out…” Lily looked longingly to where they had placed their things and at the book that was peaking out of her bag.

“No, you are not going to sit and read! You had fun the last time and…oh, there's Matt and James!” Wendy pointed to two figures coming out of the ocean carrying their surfboards. “I love the beach! Scratch that - I love the attire males wear at the beach!”

Lily rolled her eyes, “You have such a one-track mind!”

Wendy laughed, “No, it's totally two-minded. Hello. Fashion and Guys. My priorities are straight!”

Lily rolled her eyes again, but couldn't help but admire the way James looked in his swim trunks, especially as he got closer and she was able to see just how well built he was. Quidditch and whatever else he had been doing sure had been good to him.

Matt and James had been riding the waves for a while, and were ready to keep going. James still had yet to catch more than one wave and was determined to get at least ten. Well, maybe seven…actually…maybe just five. He was having a much more difficult time with the whole “surfing thing” today than he was yesterday. Matt had told him he this was normal, especially as they were working with much more difficult waves today, not to mention the fact that they were surfing in a completely different area of the beach. It was to be expected that James wouldn't do as well, however failure wasn't something James Potter was used to - unless you factor in Lily, then it was an area he was accustomed to.

On last wave the boys had attempted James had the biggest wipe out of the morning. He got out of the water shaking in head in disgust, “Mate, this is stupid! What am I doing wrong?”

“Dude, relax. You need to balance, stop leaning back so much; it's all about centering your weight. You don't control the wave, you borrow it.” Matt's eyes glazed over as he stared out at the open sea with something akin to reverence.

“O-K.”

“Oy! There are the girls!” Matt paused and silently studied Wendy from afar. It was one of his favorite ways to look at her, when she was silent. Actually he loved to talk to her, but she didn't let him “ogle her like a piece of meat in a butcher shop window,” and that was one of his favorite things to do - not that he would ever tell her that, he would get the silent and I'm not going to be around you in a bikini for days treatment. Which he felt was a bit unfair considering that she ogled him like a piece of meat as well, but he wisely kept that opinion to himself.

“You know, I think we should just keep the fact that we are all wizards to ourselves…we could just keep pretending we are muggles.”

Matt was snapped out of his thoughts and back into reality, “Why would we tell….is that how you know Lily? Because, she is Wendy's cousin and if you…”

James interrupted him, “It's not like that…well, it kind of is. Lily and I go to the same school…and…”

Matt's eyes lit up in understanding, “Say no more - you have a thing for her and she hates your guts?”

“I wouldn't exactly say hate…”

“Despises you with every fiber of her being?”

James sighed and ran a hand through his hair, “Yeah. That sounds about right.”

“Look - if it makes you feel any better Wendy hated me before we started going out.”

“Really?” James's face brightened considerably at this prospect.

“No.”

James punched Matt on the shoulder. “Bloody wanker!”

Matt turned to James, “Don't worry mate, I won't tell Lily I'm a wizard and I definitely won't tell Wendy you're one because she doesn't know that I'm one.”

“Thanks mate.”

The boys made their way up the beach to where Lily and Wendy were arguing about Lily having to surf. She was all up for sitting on the beach, reading her book, and watching them - meaning everyone but her - go and surf. The waves were just a little too big for her taste. Besides, she only liked surfing a tiny bit more than she liked flying, and since flying was second on her list of things she despised most, after James Potter, the chances of her continuing surfing were slim.

“Lillllly, you can't just sit here.”

“Why not?”

“Becauuuusssseee….”

Lily folded her arms across her chest and grinned at Wendy's antics. “I'm still feeling a bit under the weather, so I think I should just stay here.”

“You were feeling fine this morning.”

“Yeah, but that was before I saw the size of the wave!” Lily muttered under her breath not wanting Wendy, or anyone, to know how nervous the waves actually made her.

“Huh?”

“Scared of the waves Evans?” James butted in. The boys had reached the girls at the beginning of the argument and had been listening in with much amusement.

Lily whipped her head around and glared at him. “Hardly Potter.”

“Then prove it.”

“Fine! I will.” Lily pulled her shirt off, flung it on top of her bag, grabbed her surfboard and stormed toward the ocean. She paused after a few feet and glanced over her shoulder. “You coming Wendy?”

Wendy stood there frozen for a second, then shook her head and grabbed her board, trailing after Lily who was marching furiously to the water.

Matt looked at James with disbelief etched in his facial features. “What the hell are you doing? I though you wanted the girl to like you?”

James shrugged nonchalantly, “I got her to go surfing, didn't I?”

Matt's disbelief turned to amazement, “I guess you did….”

Lily was surprised at how much fun it was to surf. Well, maybe not the surfing part, but the lessons from the boys. So, she kept falling off her board, which only meant some gorgeous guy without a shirt came to her rescue. Surfing, in general, was not much better than flying. In fact, on a broom, you had some measure of control, and in the water there was none. But, flying didn't have the added bonus of being surrounded by shirtless even if there was leather involved. However, there was only leather at a quidditch game…definitely a toss up between the two.

Matt, Wendy, and a few of their surfing buddies attempted to teach her how to stand on the board, what waves to catch, and everything of that nature. But Wendy soon got distracted by the waves and left her alone with Matt's friends. Surprisingly, James was also very considerate and encouraged her instead of mocking her. But that could have been because Matt's friends were helping him as well.

After what seemed like hours and hours of failed attempts, but was probably no more than two, Lily finally rode her first wave in to the shore and jumped up and down with excitement after she got off her board. Todd, one of Matt's surfer buddies, rode the wave in with her and swooped her up in a huge hug, lifting her off her feet, and swung her around in circles. James, who saw what Todd was doing, scowled in his direction. Wendy who managed to catch the direction of his scowl smiled brightly. “You just gonna let him edge in on your territory? Go and get her Danny.”

She turned her smile to Matt, complete with puppy dog eyes, “Can we go get something to eat? I'm starving and I think Lily is done surfing.” With that, she took off for the shore.

James looked at Matt, and this time he was the one with the look of bewilderment, “Danny? Who the hell is that?”

“Don't even ask. She's mental, that one is. Just be glad she hasn't thought to question your accent.” Matt smiled fondly at Wendy's retreating back. It was obvious he was extremely fond of his girlfriend and mental was just a term of endearment. “Come on, we better go in and get them fed. Girls get mean when they don't eat.”

Both boys laughed and made their way towards shore.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: I do realize it has been over a year since I updated. I'm terribly sorry. I've rewritten a bunch of the story and it is much different than before. I will do my best not to ever go that long without an update again. If there is anyone who is still reading this, thank you! I will be updating about every 2 weeks at the minimum. I will try to update once a week, but I can't make any promises!

-->