Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Rating: R
Genres: Romance, Mystery
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 29/11/2006
Last Updated: 27/04/2007
Status: Completed

AU. Someone sinister is stalking the halls of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry. As the attacks mount, the Ministry sends in its best auror to work with someone on the inside. Harry works undercover along with Hermione to figure out who is putting the students under a spell that leaves them with no soul. Along with figuring out the case, a major attraction grows between the two of them, but will Harry's true life allow them to be happy together?

1. Chapter 1

We bring you the 'premiere' of our new fic! It's always interesting to write something out of the DDverse, but we really enjoyed doing this one!

There are some twists and turns in this one and some chapters you'll probably be over the moon about and others you'll probably want to strangle us over.

But we do think you guys will enjoy it- it'll be updated every Thursday! Please review and let us know what you think!!

Padma Patil loved being a Prefect. In addition to having the right to walk around the school at all hours, she loved having that bit of power to hold over some of her fellow students.

That night alone she had already come upon three couples in dark classrooms and sent them back to their respective houses with a warning.

She wasn't even above deducting points from her twin sister Parvati's house. It didn't matter that Parvati was her sister. She had been breaking the rules and for that she had to be punished. The sooner her sister realised that there were more important things than books and makeup, the better off she'd be.

She turned the corner on the third floor and rolled her eyes when she found yet another couple snogging for all they were worth. "Miss Brown, Mr. Weasley," Padma said clearing her throat loudly.

Ron broke apart from Lavender Brown and glared at her. "Padma--"

"Its twenty minutes past curfew," Padma reminded them. "You both should be in bed."

Lavender rolled her eyes. She was best friends with Parvati but didn't always get along with Padma.

"Ten points from Gryffindor," Padma said primly.

"What?" Ron asked, outraged. "Bloody hell, come on Lav. I bet we can find somewhere else."

"Would you like 10 more?" Padma asked folding her arms. "Because I could do it, you know..."

"FINE," Ron snapped. "We'll go back to the common room..."

"Come on, Won-Won," Lavender cooed taking Ron's hand. "She can't bother us in the common room."

"Right," Ron grinned goofily at her. "And we can pick up... right where we left off..."

Padma rolled her eyes as she watched Ron practically pant after his girlfriend. She'd have to make sure Hermione Granger knew what sort of conduct her fellow Gryffindors were up to. But then again, Hermione Granger wasn't as dedicated to her prefect duties as I am, Padma thought smugly.

"You'd better head right for the common room," Padma called after them. "Or I WILL be deducting more points."

"Can I tell her where I'd like her to shove her points?" Ron whispered to Lavender.

"Long as you tell me where I can put mine," Lavender replied coquettishly, making them both laugh before scurrying off.

Padma continued on her rounds and started to mentally prepare her day tomorrow. She had double Potions in the morning followed by Charms and then Ancient Runes.

She spied a figure in the corridor ahead of her. "Hey!" she called out. "It's after curfew. You should be in your dormitory!"

Whoever it was apparently didn't hear her or decided to ignore her as they turned the corner.

"Stop!" Padma called out.

She huffed impatiently as she followed the slim figure. "I SAID stop!"

The figure abruptly stopped and Padma tapped them on the shoulder. "What house are you in?"

The figure hunched up and slowly began to turn around.

Padma couldn't see the person's face and she rolled her eyes. "Please pull off your hood..."

"You don't want me to do that," the figure said in a raspy, dark tone.

Something about that voice sent shivers up and down her spine. "Uh..."

Padma felt something was very, very wrong in her gut. She began to slowly back away from the shrouded figure. "Just go back to your house, okay? I won't take any um... points off this time."

"What if I were to take something from you instead?" the voice said grabbing her arm.

"What?" Padma tried to pull away. "Stop it!"

"It's easier if you don't fight it," the figure said in a tight voice.

"Who are you?" Padma struggled. "Let GO of me!"

In the struggle, the figure's hood fell and Padma gasped when she saw who it was. "No! No!"

"It's easier if you don't fight it," the person said again in the same raspy tone.

"Please," Padma pleaded. "Let me go!"

"You have seen me," the figure's eyes glowed coldly. "I cannot let you go..."

Tears prickled at the edges of Padma's eyelids as she felt the figure's cold, hard gaze on her. They leaned in as if they were going to kiss her and then everything went completely black.

*** *** ***

If there was one thing Sirius Black knew about his godson it was when he was angry. One of Harry's weaknesses was that he wasn't very good at hiding his emotions. When he was angry, he showed it by stalking around or, as he was today, completely taking out his frustrations on a punching bag in the makeshift gym.

Sirius had stayed away from him for the past hour letting him let off some steam, but it was long past time to talk about this. Regardless of how he felt, Harry had to do this. There was no one else.

"You plan on stopping anytime soon?" Sirius asked from the doorway.

Harry ignored him and pummelled the bag even harder.

"We could go into Diagon Alley this afternoon and pick up your supplies," Sirius suggested. "McGonagall sent over a list..."

"Fuck that," Harry snapped. "I'm not doing this."

Sirius sighed. "So you don't care that there have been seven attacks since the start of the school year?"

"Why can't they just send someone else in?" Harry asked, punching the bag again. "I don't want to go to school- you've already taught me everything I need to know!"

"Yes, well I'm starting to wonder if perhaps you shouldn't have been there all along," Sirius said thoughtfully. "You have no friends your own age..."

"Who needs that?" Harry grumbled.

"You, for a start," Sirius said throwing a towel at him. "Lily always wanted you to go to Hogwarts, Harry."

"Don't guilt me into this Sirius," Harry warned his godfather.

Sirius sat down on a bench and looked thoughtfully at his godson, who he'd raised and trained since Harry was 11 years old. He would have had him sooner, if the entire wizarding world hadn't believed he was a murderer. But with the help of Dumbledore and Harry, Sirius had cleared his name and became Harry's legal guardian and best of all, took him away from the horrible Dursleys.

Harry wiped the sweat off his face before pushing his glasses up onto the bridge of his nose. "I'm just not a school type of guy," he complained. "Why do I have to go to classes? Why can't I just go there and find out what's going on then leave?"

"Because Remus feels that you'd have better luck if you went in there as a student," Sirius explained. "If you go in there as another Auror, no one's going to tell you anything, are they?"

Harry didn't want to admit that Sirius was right.

"You're the best person for the job, Harry," Sirius said. "And I've taught you everything I can. It's time for you to go out on your own."

"This just feels beneath me," Harry muttered.

Sirius chortled. "Beneath you? Harry..."

"Come on Sirius," Harry said. "Back me up on this. You and I work best together, not apart."

"We do, but on this, we're going to disagree," Sirius said. "I agree with Remus, Harry."

Harry glared at him wordlessly.

"Seven students have been attacked in less than two months time, Harry," Sirius said gravely. "If you could do something to stop that, wouldn't you?"

Harry sighed. "You know I would."

"Then, what's the problem?" Sirius asked. "Hmm? You're not a coward, Harry. And you've never been one to back away from a challenge."

The younger man paced across the room. "You know I'd never admit this to anyone else..."

Sirius nodded.

"I'm scared shitless," Harry confessed. "I've never worked alone before."

Sirius had a feeling that this was what it was. He also knew how hard it was for Harry to admit something like that. "You know they wouldn't have offered you the assignment if they didn't think you could do it. You're the youngest Auror ever, Harry."

"I guess," Harry ran his hands through his hair, making the strands stand up on end.

"And with any luck, you'll have the case wrapped up in no time," Sirius said realising that he was finally breaking through. "And you never know, you might meet a girl or two..."

Harry finally cracked a smile.

"Ah-ha," Sirius said. "There's that ever illusive smile. I had nearly forgotten that you had teeth."

"Sod off," Harry said, but his tone was lighter.

"So, you're in?" Sirius asked.

"Yeah I'm in," Harry replied. "Why'd you have to bring up girls, Sirius?"

"I knew that would be your Achilles' heel," Sirius said with a grin.

"It's all your fault you know," Harry returned.

"My fault?" Sirius asked. "How do you figure that?"

"You're the one who taught me the finer points of the female anatomy," Harry grinned.

"Who better to learn from than me on that?" Sirius asked. "I taught your father and it's only right that I should pass that on to you."

"Remus said my dad taught you," Harry said with a straight face.

"Bollocks," Sirius scoffed.

"I think I believe him," Harry said, forcing his lips not to twitch.

Sirius shook his head. "James always took his side, too."

"Just promise me you'll be around if I need you," Harry said, turning to his godfather.

"Dumbledore has promised that you'll have Floo access," Sirius said. "And I'll be around whenever you need me."

"What about Snuffles?" Harry asked with a grin.

"No, he's retired for awhile," Sirius said glaring at him.

"I like that dog," Harry said, grabbing a bottle of ice cold water. He gulped it down quickly and got another bottle.

Sirius again shook his head. "Get cleaned up and we'll get your supplies. You're scheduled to arrive at Hogwarts tomorrow morning."

Harry nodded, still a bit grudgingly. "I'm still a bit nervous about working alone."

"You won't be completely alone," Sirius said. "The Ministry's contacted another student there. She's supposed to contact you once you arrive."

"She?" Harry's ears perked up in interest.

Sirius nodded. "She."

"Do you know who it is?" Harry asked. "Is she cute?"

"All I know is her name and surprisingly, they didn't give her measurements or her likes and dislikes," Sirius said dryly. "But, her name is Hermione Granger. She's Muggle born and very bright according to Remus."

"Hm," Harry said noncommittally.

"And I imagine you'll find out all you need to know tomorrow morning," Sirius said before leaving the room.

"Just great," Harry pulled off his sweaty shirt and tossed it into the corner. He quickly showered before pulling on some clean jeans and pulling his old trunk out of the closet.

He wondered how this was going to work. Wouldn't his fellow students think it a bit strange that Harry Potter was just now attending school? He supposed it would all be cleared up tomorrow when he met with Dumbledore.

He was still wondering this the next afternoon when he was sitting in Dumbledore's office with Sirius and the legendary Headmaster.

"It's good to see you again, Harry," Dumbledore said peering at him over his half-rimmed glasses. "I feel as if I'm welcoming you home."

"Thank you sir," Harry replied, sitting up straight.

The Sorting Hat had already sorted Harry into Gryffindor which would make his job a lot easier considering his partner in this case was also a Gryffindor.

"You'll be moving into the Seventh Year boys' dorm with Ron Weasley, Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas and Neville Longbottom," Dumbledore explained.

"I just have a question," Harry replied. "How am I supposed to explain the fact that I'm just now joining them?"

"We've taken care of that," Dumbledore replied. "As far as your fellow students are concerned, you'll always been here..."

"I beg your pardon?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow.

"A simple memory charm," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Placed on all the students, modifying their memories. To them, you've been a student all their years here."

"Except for Miss Granger?" Harry asked.

"You'll have to talk to her," Sirius told him. "Her memory hasn't been modified, for obvious reasons."

"I just hope she realises that I'm in charge," Harry said leaning back in his chair.

Sirius suppressed a grin and Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, his eyes still twinkling.

"Where is she?" Harry asked.

"In classes right now," Dumbledore answered. "You'll start yours tomorrow. Today you can get acquainted with the castle."

Harry nodded, relieved that he wouldn't be cooped up in some classroom.

"I'll be around anytime you need me," Sirius told his godson.

"Thanks, Sirius," Harry said shaking his godfather's hand.

"Good luck Harry," Sirius said. "I know you'll figure this out."

"Including the girls?" Harry whispered with a grin.

"There's hope," Sirius said clapping him on the back.

"Come Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said once Sirius had gone. "I'll take you to your dormitory. I think you'll like it very much."

Harry nodded and followed the headmaster down the spiral staircase. He'd heard stories over the years from Remus and Sirius about Hogwarts. It was a bit surreal to think that he was now actually here in the place where his parents had met.

"This is the Great Hall," Dumbledore said. "You'll be having all your meals here."

Harry followed him inside where a handful of students were seated at the four long tables. Some were studying and others were just chatting with friends. As Harry walked by, someone grabbed his arm.

"Harry, mate," a tall red-haired boy said. "If you see Lavender, you don't know where I am."

"What?" Harry looked at him in confusion.

"She's gone completely mental on me," Ron explained looking over his shoulder to make sure his girlfriend was nowhere around. "She...she gave me a necklace."

"She gave you a necklace?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You wear necklaces?"

Ron reached into his pocket and pulled out the golden necklace that Lavender had given him last night. "Don't take the piss, Harry. I can't wear this and she got all mad when I told her so..."

"My Sweetheart?" Harry snorted.

Ron glared at him. "Some best mate you are. I covered for you with Susan that time..."

"Susan?" Harry asked, his eyebrows going up. "Oh uh... yeah. Don't worry, I won't tell um... Lavender that I saw you."

"Excuse us, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said. "But I have something I need to discuss with Mr. Potter. And you really should be getting to your Charms lesson. You know how I feel about skiving."

Ron turned red all the way to the tips of his ears. "Right Professor," he said, hastily stuffing the necklace back in his pocket and gathering his books.

"Ronald Weasley," Dumbledore explained to Harry as they continued their walk. "As far as he's concerned, you've been best mates since the first day on the Hogwarts Express. His younger sister Ginny is a Gryffindor, too. And though the romantic entanglements at this school can be a bit confusing, the Lavender he was referring to is his girlfriend, Lavender Brown, also in Gryffindor."

"Maybe I should write this down," Harry commented dryly.

Dumbledore chuckled. "You'll pick it up on your own, Harry. Of that, I have no doubt."

"I hope so," Harry kept his eyes peeled for anyone who might be Hermione Granger.

Dumbledore led the way down the corridor and pointed out certain rooms and passageways as they went. "And this is the Charms class...I see Mr. Weasley finally made it..."

Harry peered through the crack in the door and saw Ron sitting in between two girls who were about as different as night and day. One girl had long blonde hair and kept gazing dreamily at Ron. The other was a brunette with bushy hair and a serious look on her face as she furiously scribbled down her notes.

"That would be Miss Granger on his left," Dumbledore told him quietly.

Harry groaned inwardly. Didn't she look like a barrel of laughs, he thought as her hand shot up in response to a question from the professor.

"And that would be Miss Brown on his right," Dumbledore continued.

Harry didn't think he'd mind getting a "My Sweetheart" necklace from her. She was gorgeous.

"Come with me," Dumbledore said. "I'll take you to the Gryffindor House."

Harry nodded and took one last look at Lavender Brown before following Dumbledore.

"The entrance to the tower is behind this portrait," Dumbledore indicated the picture of a rather large woman on the wall. "You'll give her the password, which for this month, is Lemon Drop."

"Lemon Drop," Harry repeated.

"Thank you dear!" the woman in the portrait trilled and it swung forward.

Dumbledore stood back to allow Harry to go through first. "Thank you, my dear lady."

"Thanks," Harry echoed, his eyes opening wide as he looked around the common room.

The common room contained a lot of comfortable arm chairs, a fireplace and tables.

"You'll be the only student to have access to the Floo Network," Dumbledore told Harry. "Please do not let any of the other students know about this, Harry."

"Okay," Harry agreed.

"Let me show you to the boys' dormitory," Dumbledore said.

"Great," Harry followed the headmaster up the stairs.

Dumbledore explained that the staircase leading to the girls' dormitory was under a spell. "If you try to step on it, the staircase transfigures itself into a slide...."

"Whatever happened to trust?" Harry asked jokingly.

Dumbledore smiled as well. "Unfortunately not all the students are so trustworthy."

"My father ever get caught on that slide?" Harry asked.

"More often than not," Dumbledore revealed.

Harry imagined his dad and Sirius trying to find some way around it. He followed Dumbledore up the staircase to the boys' dormitory and into the room that would be his.

"A bit messy," Dumbledore said with a grin.

"Yeah," Harry looked around and shook his head. "That my bed over there?"

Dumbledore nodded. "As you can see, your things were already brought up."

"Cool," Harry unlocked his trunk.

"I'll leave you to it," Dumbledore said. "I'm sure Miss Granger will help answer any questions you have."

Harry's mouth turned down a bit as he thought about the bushy haired girl in the classroom.

The least Remus and Sirius could have done was set him up with someone who would be worthwhile to be around.

"I'll leave you be," Dumbledore patted his shoulder. "Welcome to Hogwarts, Harry."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said quietly.

Once the headmaster had gone, Harry flopped back onto the bed. "This is just bloody great," he said sarcastically, looking up at the canopy that covered his bed.

He didn't know how long he lay there, but a few minutes later, he heard footsteps approaching and then the sound of voices.

"Yes, yes," Ron was saying to someone who was just outside the door. "I'll tell him. But I don't see why he'd want to see you..."

Harry sat up as the redhead came inside. "Hi... Ron." he remembered.

"Hermione wants to see you," Ron told him throwing his books down on the bed.

"Tell her I've got a headache," Harry replied. "I'll talk to her later."

"That's what I told her," Ron said with a grin.

"You...you shouldn't give Hermione such a hard time," another boy said.

Harry looked at the slightly overweight boy with brown hair who lingered in the doorway. "Why not?" he asked.

"Yeah, why not, Nev?" Ron asked.

"You've always been mean to her," Neville replied. "After you two saved her from that troll in the first year, she tried so hard to be friends with you both."

"She's mental," Ron said dismissively.

Neville shook his head. "It's not worth my time to try and convince you that she's really not so bad."

"I'm going to see if Ginny wants to take a walk," another boy said.

"That's my sister," Ron called out to him. "Dean, you better not do anything!"

"Ron I've been seeing her for a month now," Dean replied.

Harry noticed Neville seemed to not be that happy with this news. Neville sat down on his bed and drew back the curtains.

"So..." Harry got off his bed. "What are you going to do with that necklace?"

"I guess I'll wear it when I'm with her and hide it when I'm not," Ron said.

"Tell him what happened on the way back from class!" a boy with an Irish accent said to Ron.

Ron groaned. "I dropped the bloody thing and Loony Lovegood picked it up for me. She said that she thought it was...all wrong for me..."

"Loony Lovegood?" Harry asked.

"Don't give me that," Ron said defensively. "She said she didn't mind me calling her that so..."

"She fancies Ron," the same boy said with a grin.

"Shut it, Seamus," Ron said glaring at him.

Harry wished he'd at least been given some time to figure out who each student was. He had no idea who most of these people were.

Harry stood up, eager to get a feel for the castle on his own. "I'll--I'll catch up with you lot later."

"Where are you going?" Ron asked. "If you hit up the kitchens, grab me some cream puffs."

Harry wasn't sure how to get to the kitchens, but he nodded as if he knew. "Right, see you."

He ambled around the castle for the next hour or so, just taking it all in. He passed many a student that seemed to know him and he wished he knew all their names.

He was heading down another corridor when a strong pair of hands pulled him back.

"What part of I needed to see you did you not get?" a female voice said as she pushed him against the wall.

"Hey," Harry grabbed her wrists. "I don't take orders."

"Let me guess, you give them?" Hermione asked trying to break free from his grasp.

"That's right," Harry clasped both her wrists in his. "You'd better get used to it."

"So I suppose you don't need any help?" Hermione asked her brown eyes boring into his. "Look, I'm not all that crazy about you being here either, you know. I was doing just fine without you."

"I'm so sure you were," Harry said, finally releasing her. "Which is why they had to send me in."

"Oh please," Hermione hissed. "You need to get over yourself."

Harry sent her a patronizing smile. "Jealous that you couldn't do it on your own?" he asked.

Hermione glared at him. He really had some nerve. She was doing just fine on her own. She was still new to all of this, but she was very capable of handling this on her own. And she had a number of leads. Finding out that she was going to get help had pissed her off, but she'd tried to tell herself that she'd have the chance to meet the great Harry Potter and find out about the boy behind the name in all those books. Clearly, he wasn't someone worth getting to know. "At least I'm not lost," Hermione countered.

"Oh that one hurt," Harry clutched his chest mockingly.

"Do you know where you are?" Hermione asked folding her arms. "Hmm?"

"I'm in a corridor," Harry said with a smirk. "It's my first bloody day here. Get off my arse."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Fine. Have it your way. I'm late for a prefect meeting as it is."

"A nerd meeting more like," Harry said. "We'll need to meet up later and you'll fill me in on what you've found out."

"Yes, well tonight is a bit difficult," Hermione said ignoring his insult. "I have plans."

"Too bad," Harry answered. "The sooner you realise I'm in charge here, the better off things will be. We'll meet up after dinner."

"No," Hermione said through clenched teeth. "We won't. I told you I have plans at The Three Broomsticks."

"Little Miss Perfect is going to sneak out of the castle to go to a pub?" Harry asked.

"I don't have to answer to you," Hermione glared at him.

"I'll meet you there tonight after dinner," Harry said glaring right back at her. He hoped that Neville bloke didn't fancy this girl. She'd eat him alive.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Fine," she huffed.

"Fine," Harry said turning to walk away.

"You do realise that you're heading toward the broom cupboard," Hermione called out to him .

"Maybe I'm meeting a girl in there," Harry retorted.

Hermione rolled her eyes again at him before walking away.

Harry certainly wasn't looking forward to working with her over the next few months. But hopefully, if she was as smart as everyone said she was, that they would solve it and he could leave as soon as possible.

*** *** ***

"You told me you liked the necklace," Lavender Brown pouted at her boyfriend. "You promised me you'd wear it everywhere and NEVER take it off. And I always have to remind you to put it on!"

"Lav," Ron said exasperatedly. "Guys don't... wear necklaces, okay?"

"They do if they LOVE their girlfriends," Lavender hissed at him. "Which you obviously don't!"

Ron rolled his eyes and pulled the necklace out of his pocket.

Lavender smiled sweetly at him, her anger melting away. "You're going to wear it then?"

"Yes," Ron said shortly, fumbling with the clasp. He hoped he'd break it.

Lavender kissed him with such force, she nearly knocked him out of the chair.

Despite his misgivings about the stupid necklace, Ron did have to admit that Lavender Brown was one hell of a kisser.

Lavender breathlessly pulled away from him. "I have to go. I promised Parvati I'd go with her to visit Padma. Waste of time, really, since she's just lying there in a coma, but oh well..."

"I feel kind of bad for her," Ron said. "I mean, we were sort of mean to her that night she--"

"I know," Lavender said with a frown. "But we weren't to know, Ron."

"Yeah," he answered. "I'll catch you later in the common room."

Lavender gave him one last kiss before she left, which earned her a warning glare from Madam Pince.

Ron stuffed the necklace back into his pocket and pulled a book towards him, hoping the librarian wouldn't come over and lecture him.

Luna Lovegood had unwittingly overheard his argument with Lavender Brown and she was currently debating whether or not to go over and talk to him. The truth was Ronald Weasley had always fascinated her.

Ron had only been reading for a few minutes when he felt someone staring at him. He looked up and saw Loony Lovegood gazing at him from a few tables over. "What?" he frowned.

She stared at him a few more moments before she answered. "What are you reading?"

"A book," he deadpanned.

Luna giggled as if it was the funniest joke she'd ever heard. "I'm reading about Nifflers."

"That's great," Ron looked back down at the tome he was paging through. "I'm sure it's very interesting."

Luna didn't catch his sarcasm. She stood up and gathered her belongings. Ron looked on in horror as she settled down across from him. "You can borrow it when I'm finished, if you want."

"No thanks," Ron looked around nervously, not wanting to get spotted with her. "I'm really not interested in Nifflers."

Luna smiled. "You know they are strongly attracted to anything shiny, so I'd keep them away from your necklace."

Ron glared at her. "Don't talk about that stupid thing."

"If you don't like it, you should just be honest with her," Luna said softly.

"I don't need relationship advice," Ron closed his book.

Luna looked down at her book. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he replied, feeling somewhat bad at being so snappish with her. "It's just... weird with Lav. You can't explain things to her."

"You two don't do much talking though," Luna said boldly.

Ron had to smile at that. "It's probably a good thing."

Luna smiled back at him. "But sometimes it's good to have someone to talk to about your dreams...how you feel..."

"Yeah..." Ron said, starting to feel uncomfortable again- he hated it when Luna got all dreamy and weird. "I have to go. Curfew's coming up."

"Me too," Luna said closing her book and placing it in her bag. "We could walk part of the way together..."

"I... err..." Ron searched his mind desperately for an excuse but couldn't think of one. And Dumbledore had warned the students to walk in groups as much as possible. "Fine..."

"Thank you, Ronald," Luna said softly.

"Sure," Ron said, stuffing his books in his bag. He hoped she wouldn't start spouting off about some other weird creature where anyone else could hear.

They didn't say much as they began their walk out of the library. To Ron's relief, he didn't see any of his friends along the way.

"Have you any idea what you want to do when you get out of Hogwarts?" Luna asked conversationally.

"Not really," he replied.

"Quidditch?" Luna suggested.

"Sure," Ron nodded. "Playing Quidditch could be fun. You did a good job when you called matches last year."

Luna beamed at him. "I had such fun doing that. I hope that I'll have the chance to do it again this year."

Ron nodded. "That'd be nice."

"I have a confession to make," Luna said. "I didn't know that much about the game when I first started."

"Really?" he asked. "It's not really a tough game to understand, but you've got people that badmouth it like Hermione Granger does and then other people think it's stupid and don't bother."

"I find it fascinating!" Luna said enthusiastically.

Maybe she wasn't so bad after all. Ron chanced a smile at her. "I'm glad you like it."

"I especially love watching you play because I can tell how much you enjoy being up there," Luna said.

"I really do," Ron said eagerly. "I know at first I was rubbish, but I practised a lot over summer hols and I think I've gotten really good."

"Well, I look forward to seeing you play," Luna said smiling at him. They'd reached the stairway that led to the Ravenclaw tower.

"Cool," Ron said. "Well um... guess I'll see you Loo- Luna."

Luna nodded. "Thanks for walking with me. You have a good night, Ronald."

"You too," Ron watched her go for a moment before heading for the Gryffindor Common Room.

He had just made it through the portrait hole when he nearly collided with someone. "Hey---Harry? Where are you going?"

"What?" Harry asked. "I'm just... going out for a bit. Why?"

"Its curfew," Ron reminded him. "And unless you want to be on the business end of Hermione's hissy fit..."

"I couldn't care less what Hermione says," Harry interrupted. "And I can handle myself, thanks."

Ron shook his head. "Okay, it's your funeral."

Harry turned without another word and disappeared into the darkening corridor. Once he was a somewhat safe distance away from the tower, he pulled his invisibility cloak on- a gift from his father- and headed towards the statue Sirius said would lead him into the village through a secret passage.

He'd been in The Three Broomsticks before with Sirius and Remus, but this was the first time he'd ever been here on his own and he wondered if perhaps he should have done something to make himself look older.

"Too late now," he said, pulling the cloak off as he left the Honeydukes basement.

The village was quite crowded and it took him longer than he would have liked to manoeuvre his way toward the pub.

Once inside, he scanned the large dimly lit room for Hermione. His eyes narrowed when he didn't see her right away. "She was probably lying," Harry said to himself.

He moved over to the bar thinking he'd wait for her there. Harry motioned for the bartender, but his hand froze in midair as he caught sight of the hottest woman he'd ever seen.

"Damn..." his eyes opened wide as he moved them over her curvaceous figure. This one made Lavender Brown look like a hag.

Her long, lustrous brown tresses hung loose down her back and Harry stared transfixed as she stood up and looked his way. She had on a black dress that seemed to hug every curve and thigh high boots that made her legs seem like they went on for days. To his utter amazement, she was walking in his direction.

"So you came after all," she gave him a dark look.

Harry looked over his shoulder to make sure she wasn't talking to someone else. There was no one behind him and he couldn't stop the grin that spread across his face. "I'd have been here sooner, if I'd known you were going to be here."

She rolled her eyes. "I told you I'd be here when we talked earlier today. Why am I not surprised you already forgot our conversation?"

Harry gaped at her. No, he thought, this wasn't...it couldn't be....

"Hermione?" Harry asked.

2. Chapter 2

What a great response you guys had to chapter one! We were both thrilled you guys like this story so far! If you’re confused about things that are going on- please head over to the community coolman created- it’s mainly for Last Dance but there’s an open discussion on here and we’ve explained a few things that you guys might want to know.

Here’s chapter two- please let us know what you think!!

"Of course," she said impatiently.

"Whoa," Harry said, his eyes still large. He had no idea that all this had been hiding under the mousy brunette he'd met earlier today.

Hermione gave him a disgusted look. "Listen," she said. "I'm here talking to Viktor Krum. The last letter I got from the Ministry said he might know something about the attacks at the school."

"Viktor Krum?" Harry asked finally focusing on what she was saying. "How would he---"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Hermione replied.

"And you had to dress up like this to see him?" Harry asked finally getting the picture. "Look, we're not going to turn this investigation into your personal dating service.."

"Oh shut up," Hermione shoved him back. "You blokes have one thing on your mind, don't you?"

"Hey!" Harry retorted.

"Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor Krum said tapping her on the shoulder. Harry felt an instant dislike for the tall, dark Bulgarian who had put an arm possessively around Hermione. "Is this person bothering you?"

"No," Hermione turned, her facial expression changing instantly. "It's just fine, Viktor."

Harry resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Krum, Hermione and I were in the middle of something--"

"So were we," Viktor glared back at him.

"Come along, Viktor," Hermione cooed.

Viktor grinned at her. "Of course, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'll catch up to you later, Harry," Hermione said over her shoulder.

Harry didn't say a word, just watched her leave. He couldn't keep his eyes from roaming up and down her body.

Hermione settled in beside Viktor who looked expectantly at her. She wasn't about to drink something that she'd not seen prepared and she wouldn't put anything past Krum. "I'm so glad you agreed to see me tonight," she drawled.

"Of course," he said. "A woman as lovely as yourself should not be alone at night."

Hermione gave him her most flirtatious smile. "Well, thanks to you, I'm not alone..."

Viktor grinned back. "You must be very good to sneak out of that castle."

"You'd be surprised at how good I can be," Hermione said softly.

"I can imagine," he said. "I got you this," he pushed a steaming mug towards her.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"It's a special drink," he said, his eyes glowing a bit. "You will like it, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'm not really thirsty right now," Hermione said pushing the mug away. "Maybe later."

Viktor seemed slightly disappointed but he sat back, still staring at her intensely.

"What's Potter doing here?" Viktor asked.

Hermione shrugged. "Couldn't tell you," she said as if she didn't care.

"He's staring at us," Viktor said pulling Hermione even closer.

"Don't let him bother you," Hermione said in a low voice, widening her eyes.

"Okay," Viktor said nuzzling her neck.

"Viktor, I-I'm just so scared about what's been going on at Hogwarts," Hermione said wishing she could get him to stop what he was doing.

"Why is that?" he asked, pressing his lips to her skin.

"All those attacks?" Hermione asked, letting her voice tremble just a bit. "What if it's me next?"

"Nothing bad will happen to you," Viktor whispered in her ear.

"How do you know that for sure?" Hermione asked.

"I just do," Viktor said pulling away to look at her. "Nothing, nothing will happen to you, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I just wish I knew that for sure," Hermione looked down, letting her lower lip tremble. "Padma was a good friend to me and look what happened to her..."

"She was foolish," Viktor said. "And you're not."

He put his arm around her. "Don't worry, my sweet."

"Viktor--" Hermione began.

"Shh," he said pulling her into his lap.

Harry slammed his drink down on the bar. This wanker was really pushing it.

"I just can't help but be frightened though," she said, pushing back just a bit.

"I've told you, it's going to be okay," Viktor said his eyes darkening. "Trust me, Hermy-own-ninny."

"How do you know it's going to be okay?" Hermione was growing frustrated.

"Just a---what do you say---hunch, I have," Viktor said going in for another kiss, but Hermione shoved him away. He tightened his grip on her arm. "Don't tease me, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'm not teasing anyone," she said snappishly.

"Yes you are," Viktor said. "Many girls would like to be where you are, Hermy-own-ninny."

"Why do you say you have a hunch I won't get hurt?" Hermione asked, softening her tone again and curving her fingers under her chin. "Do you know something I don't?"

"I've heard some things in my travels," Viktor replied. "And as long as you keep away from things that don't concern you, I'm sure you're going to be just fine."

"Well I do have quite an inquisitive mind," Hermione trailed her fingers over his chest.

"What is it they say about curiosity?" Viktor asked grinning at her.

"Yes but I'm not a cat," she said in a teasing tone.

Viktor chuckled. "No, you're not. You're all woman."

"And don't you forget it," Hermione replied. "Now come on, I can't help but be intrigued by how you know so much. I love a smart guy."

Viktor Krum wasn't immune to flattery and he told her about some of the rumours he'd heard. "I do know that it's not any of Karkaroff's old contacts. Most of them are in prison or dead now."

"I see," she replied. "It's just so scary up there. I wish I had a big strong guy to protect me..."

"It's too bad that I'm not a student at Hogwarts," Viktor said before kissing her hard on the lips, all under the watchful eye of Harry.

Hermione forced herself not to shudder in disgust. It wasn't that Viktor Krum was bad looking, he just wasn't her type of guy.

Harry crossed the room and tapped Hermione on the shoulder. "Hermione..."

"What?" Hermione asked pretending to be cross with him for breaking up her and Viktor, but she was beyond happy to see him. She'd never tell him this though.

"We should get back," he smiled tightly at her.

"Right," Hermione said nodding. "Right..."

"You don't have to go with him," Viktor grabbed her arm again.

"Yes she does," Harry said tersely. "Let go of her, Krum."

"Just because you--" Viktor began hotly but Hermione pushed them apart.

"Come on boys, you don't need to fight over me," she smiled flirtatiously at Viktor. "I'll see you again soon."

Viktor smiled back at her and gave her one last kiss before he let her go. "Good night, Hermy---"

Harry yanked on her arm and practically pulled her out of the pub.

"You're hurting me!" Hermione hissed.

"What the HELL was that in there?" Harry snapped.

Hermione shivered in the cold night air. "Why don't you tell me what you think it was and I'll tell you what it really was, Potter."

Harry glared at her. "You think you're in charge of this don't you?"

"We're supposed to be partners," Hermione retorted.

"Then you clear things with ME before doing them," Harry said. He noticed she was visibly shaking from being cold and he pulled his cloak off. "Here."

Hermione's first instinct was to decline, but she was freezing. "Thank you," she said taking the cloak from him.

He was sorry to see her body swallowed up by his cloak as she slid it on. "I have to say though," he shook his head. "You are damn fine, Granger."

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Why do you cover yourself up with those awful clothes during the day?" Harry asked.

"It's the uniform," Hermione replied curtly.

"You don't have to wear one that's twice your size," he said bluntly.

This entire line of questioning was making her completely uncomfortable and she started for Honeydukes. "I don't see why what I wear should concern you."

"I was paying you a compliment you know," Harry said tersely.

"I'd much rather be appreciated for my mind," Hermione said quietly. "Who I was tonight isn't who I am really."

"That's a shame," Harry said, eyeing her legs as she walked quickly. "Because the woman I saw tonight in there... she was what a partner should be."

"Which is?" Hermione asked stopping in her tracks.

"Hot," Harry said, coming close to her. "Sexy... willing to do what it takes to get what she needs."

"You think I'm---" Hermione started to say.

"All I'm saying is half the guys in my dormitory would die if they saw you like this," Harry smirked.

"And you?" Hermione asked trying to keep her voice normal.

"I've seen plenty of women like this," Harry pushed his cloak aside so he could look at her again.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked as he circled around her. There was something about the look in his eyes that had her on edge. It'd been the same look Viktor had worn earlier, but unlike with Viktor, she was affected by the way Harry was looking at her.

"I can appreciate a beautiful woman when I see one," Harry's breath came hot on her ear.

"Funny how you didn't think that this afternoon when you met me," Hermione said closing her eyes. She was glad he couldn't see how flushed her cheeks were.

"I wonder if that's the Hermione putting on an act," Harry knew how much he was affecting her and he enjoyed it.

"Y-you don't even know me," Hermione said. Every instinct told her to start walking, but she couldn't move.

"I know all I need to know..." Harry's hands came up on her shoulders.

"What are you playing at?" Hermione asked turning her head to look at him.

"Why, is it working?" he asked with a grin.

"It most certainly isn't," Hermione lied.

"Sure it isn't," Harry smirked and backed away. "So tell me Granger, what did you find out?"

"About what?" Hermione asked dazedly.

Harry looked at her impatiently. "About the attacks."

"Oh," Hermione said cursing herself. "Um, Viktor said that I shouldn't be afraid as long as I kept out of things that didn't concern me. I tried to press him on that, but the only thing he really told me was that Karkaroff wasn't involved."

"Well there's a great help," Harry said sarcastically.

"He was more interested in pawing at me than giving me information," Hermione begrudgingly admitted.

"I wonder why," Harry said, reaching over into the pocket of the cloak she was wearing. "Here, get under this with me."

"What?" Hermione asked in a high voice.

"It's an invisibility cloak," Harry said. "We have to get under this together so no one spots us going down into the cellar."

"Oh," Hermione said with a nervous laugh. "Right."

"Well come on," he said impatiently.

Hermione crept underneath the cloak with him and her pulse quickened at the close proximity.

Harry would never have admitted it, but her nearness was making his palms sweat. "Just try not to bump into anyone or anything," he whispered, his lips touching her ear.

Hermione nodded, but this was easier said than done. The sidewalks were still quite crowded.

Their bodies were pressed together and Harry was finding it very difficult to mask the fact that he was getting completely turned on at the moment. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

They made their way through the crowds and finally reached the backdoor to Honeyduke's. Hermione turned to get a look at Harry and felt her breath catch in her throat.

"Why did you stop?" he asked.

"My feet hurt," Hermione covered. "The shoes."

He looked at her hard for a moment. "Right," Harry finally said. "Well the sooner we can get back, the sooner you can take them off."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed.

"You walk in front of me," he put his hands on her waist. "Just head to the back and try not to stop."

Hermione did as she was told. This entire evening had been too bizarre and she was eager to get it over with...or at least that's what she told herself.

"Just back there," he said, his lips once again close to her ear.

Hermione found the cellar door. The steps would be hard to navigate in her shoes.

She stumbled on the first step, nearly pulling down Harry with her. "Sorry!" she whispered.

"It's okay," he whispered back, steadying her.

She had expected him to snap at her but instead he was being nice by holding her arm as they descended slowly. "I hate these boots," she said.

"That's something I've never understood about girls," Harry whispered. "Why you'll wear shoes that hurt just because they look good."

"It does the job," she said with a shrug.

"You have no idea," Harry said under his breath.

"What?" Hermione turned to look at him. In the process she stumbled over the last step and Harry caught her.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yeah..." she managed. "Th-thanks for catching me."

He held her in his arms, not ready to let go just yet. "There's something I need to do and I think it'll solve our problem.."

"What?" she asked, her eyes growing wide. "What are you talking about?"

"This," Harry said leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

Hermione's eyes nearly popped out before she closed them and kissed him back.

His arms snaked around her waist, pulling her even closer.

I shouldn't be doing this, Hermione thought but was unable to pull away. Harry Potter was infuriating but he certainly knew how to kiss.

"Hermione," he whispered when they pulled apart.

"Yeah?" she asked, her fingers moving up into his hair.

He was going to tell her that he'd overstepped his bounds and that what had just happened couldn't ever happen again, but he just shook his head before kissing her again. He wanted to take her right here.

She felt his hands push the cloak off and start to roam down her body. His touch felt like fire.

He planted kisses along her neckline and pulled down the strap of her dress.

"W-wait," Hermione said finally summoning every ounce of willpower she had.

"What?" he asked, pulling back.

"Not this," she said, pulling the cloak back on. "Not here..."

"I know I can't get in your room, but maybe you could--" Harry started to argue.

"No," she said, stepping back. "Harry despite what I'm dressed like tonight I am not that type of girl."

"I never said you were," Harry said.

"Then why did you kiss me?" she asked. "You couldn't have been more repulsed at my appearance earlier today. That all changed when you saw me like this tonight."

This was a loaded question and he knew that no matter how he answered it, she'd probably take it the wrong way. "I'm a bloke, Hermione. Seeing you like this did something to me, okay? And need I remind you that you kissed me back?"

"That's not the point here," Hermione was starting to get angry.

Harry sighed. "Can we just get back to the castle? I'm knackered."

She scoffed. "Fine."

They walked the rest of the way back to the castle in silence. Harry finally spoke when they were safely back in the common room.

"I'm not going to apologise for kissing you," Harry said to her.

Hermione didn't answer him; only handed him his cloak back silently.

"But we'll put what happened tonight behind us and just get the job done," Harry said. "If that's what you want."

"It's what I want," Hermione still wouldn't look at him.

"Good night then," Harry said abruptly stalking up the stairs without looking back at her.

Hermione sat down on the arm of one of the sofas, rubbing her temples. Why had he kissed her and why on earth had she kissed him back?

Upstairs, Harry quickly changed out of his clothes and into his pyjamas wondering again why he'd been so foolish to jeopardize the investigation as he had tonight. He had told the truth before. He wasn't sorry that he'd kissed her. He just wished it had been under different circumstances.

*** *** ***

Harry awoke the next morning in a completely foul mood. He'd had a very erotic dream about his new partner, which certainly didn't help matters. To top that off, he'd snapped at Dean and Seamus who were in awfully good moods, the smug bastards.

Walking toward the Great Hall, Harry felt a sense of foreboding. But then again, she'd be dressed in her uniform and that shouldn't affect him, he tried to tell himself.

To his great relief, she wasn't in the Great Hall. He took his seat across from Ron and a red-haired girl who beamed at him as he sat down.

"Morning," Ron muttered.

"Hi," Harry grumbled back.

"Hello, Harry," the red-haired girl said handing him the platter of waffles.

"Uh, hi." he answered, cursing silently. He had no idea who this girl was.

"Ginny, are you wearing that shite perfume again?" Ron asked his nose scrunching up in disgust. "I hate that crap."

"I'm not wearing it for you," Ginny said with a meaningful look at Harry.

"I'm pretty sure Dean doesn't like it either," Ron said before shovelling a mouthful of waffle into his mouth.

"He doesn't have to," Ginny replied, turning back to look at Harry again.

"Are you staring at me for a reason?" Harry asked in annoyance.

Ginny turned bright red. "Um I didn't mean to be... it's just that... the other day you said--"

Harry was distracted from the redhead as Hermione appeared in the doorway to the Great Hall. Once again she looked mousy and boring, but now he found it impossible to concentrate on anything other than what was under those loose robes she wore.

Hermione was going to take a seat further down the table, but as usual Ron Weasley spoiled things.

"Oi! Hermione," Ron called out. "Do you have the notes from yesterday's Charms lecture?"

"Of course I do," she answered. "But I'm not lending them to you, Ron. You'll just lose them again."

"They're not for me, they're for Harry," Ron said knowing that the brunette had always had a soft spot where Harry was concerned. "He missed the class yesterday."

Hermione gave them both a cool glance. "That's too bad for him then, isn't it?"

"You can have my notes," Ginny chimed in.

"Ginny, you're not even in our class, let alone our year," Ron said glaring at his sister.

"I was just trying to help," Ginny snapped.

Ron caught the look his sister had been giving Harry and he rolled his eyes. "Ginny---"

"Ease up on her, mate," Harry said.

Ginny blushed. "Thanks Harry," she said softly.

"No problem," Harry said reaching for the bottle of syrup at the same time as Hermione.

Their hands touched and they both jumped back as if on fire. "Take it," Hermione shoved it towards him.

"O-kay," Harry said slowly.

"Morning, Ginny," Dean said pecking her on the cheek before sitting down beside her.

"Hi Dean," Ginny replied softly.

"Did you guys hear?" Dean asked. "There was another attack last night. They just found Ernie Macmillan in the library."

Both Harry and Hermione's heads turned. "WHAT?" they both asked at the same time.

"Ernie's really hot," Ginny said. "Is he going to be okay?"

Dean stared at her. "I don't know..."

Harry got to his feet. "There's something I need to do before class."

"Same here," Hermione abandoned her full plate of food.

They rushed out of the Great Hall. "Which way to the Hospital Wing?" Harry asked her.

"Follow me," she said brusquely.

"Who's this Ernie Macmillan?" Harry asked her.

"He's a Hufflepuff," Hermione answered. "He's nice enough... but he's not a prefect or anything so I'm not sure what he was doing out."

"We'll need to find out," Harry said taking the steps two at a time.

"Right," she hurried. "Take a right up here," Hermione directed.

Harry did as she instructed.

"It's at the end of the hall," Hermione had to hurry to catch up to him.

They heard the sound of raised voices and when Harry opened the door, he saw Dumbledore talking to a man and a woman that he guessed were Ernie's parents.

"You're telling me there's nothing you can do for my son?" the woman said to Dumbledore.

"I am sorry," Dumbledore said gravely. "We are working at keeping the students safe by keeping them in their houses when not in class--"

"That's not good enough," Ernie's father said angrily.

"I have my potions master working on a cure," Dumbledore said in the same quiet tone. "And Madam Pomfrey is trying every spell she knows to try and revive our students."

"And what about Aurors?" Mrs. Macmillan asked. "Is someone trying to find out who did this to Ernie?"

"Yes they are," Dumbledore saw the two students in the doorway and excused himself.

"We came as soon as we heard," Hermione said in a hushed tone to the headmaster.

Harry nodded. "We're sorry we didn't prevent it," he said quietly.

Dumbledore shook his head. "There's nothing you could have done, Harry. You just arrived yesterday."

"I should have done something other than try to get information out of Krum," Hermione said regretfully.

"Don't beat yourselves up over this," Dumbledore told them. "Concentrate your efforts on finding out who was behind this. Let me and the other professors find some way to help the students."

Harry and Hermione both nodded as Dumbledore went back to the Macmillans.

Hermione sank down on one of the chairs. Despite what Dumbledore had said, she did hold herself to blame. Ernie wouldn't be in the situation he was in if she hadn't been so eager to interview Viktor and to impress Harry.

Harry looked over at her. "I need you to tell me what you know about everything that's going on."

Hermione nodded. "Where do you want me to begin?"

"When did all this start?" Harry asked. "Who was the first person attacked? How were they found and what sort of person or creature is doing the attacking?"

"The first person attacked was Padma Patil," Hermione told him. "It was during the first couple weeks of school. She was out patrolling the halls and the last people to see her were Ron and Lavender. They found her the next morning near the entrance to Gryffindor Tower."

"Okay," Harry said. "What have you found out about who's doing this?"

"Nothing concrete," Hermione admitted, though she hated to admit her failure.

"Nothing?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You've found out absolutely nothing?"

Hermione glared at him. "I said nothing concrete! I've been trying, but whomever is behind this has covered their tracks very well, Harry."

"Well then we need to step things up quite a bit," Harry said. "I'm not about to have my reputation as an Auror tarnished because of this."

"You know, I'm the top of the year," Hermione said, thinking he needed to hear her accomplishments. She didn't want him to think she was some amateur. "And I was recruited---"

"And I'm the professional here," Harry said in a hard voice. He didn't exactly feel like being nice to her after last night. "And I probably have a better idea on what to do."

"Well, like it or not, you need me," Hermione reminded him. "I know more about Hogwarts than you do and I know the students."

Harry didn't want to admit she was right.

"And I think we'd get a lot further if we worked together instead of you trying to lord over me," Hermione said quietly.

He rolled his eyes. "Then you need to start finding things out."

Hermione sighed. "Fine, Mr. Potter. Yes, sir, Mr. Potter."

"Let's go to the library," Harry said after he glared at her.

She took off after him, choosing to walk slower so she wouldn't have to walk with him.

"Dumbledore said we have to have all our classes together," Harry said. "When's the first one?"

"Twenty minutes from now," Hermione answered. "History of Magic."

"I can't believe I have to go to class," he rolled his eyes. "What a waste of time."

"Out of curiosity," Hermione said. "Why haven't you been at Hogwarts all this time?"

"I've been receiving a finer education," Harry replied with a smirk.

Hermione looked indignantly at him. "There is no finer education than the one you receive at Hogwarts. This is the most prestigious school---"

"Save it," Harry put up a hand. "My godfather has taught me everything I need and want to know."

"Sirius Black, you mean," Hermione said softly.

"The one and only," Harry said with some pride in his voice.

Hermione was going to say something else, but they'd reached the library which was empty save for Madam Pince.

"We only have a few minutes, I guess." Harry glanced at his watch.

Hermione nodded. "Madam Pince? I was wondering if you could tell us where Ernie was found?"

"Miss Granger, you should be in class," the librarian said sternly.

"We saw Ernie's parents in the hospital wing and they asked if we would check to see if any of his belongings were left here," Hermione covered. "It'll only take a few minutes and Professor Dumbledore said it would be okay."

Madam Pince looked at her carefully for a moment. "He was back near the Restricted Section," she finally said.

"Thank you," Hermione said grabbing Harry's arm. "We'll be quick, I promise."

"You're not a bad liar," Harry offered when they were out of earshot.

"Did you just compliment me?" Hermione asked.

Harry didn't answer her, instead he bent down to retrieve something from the floor. "It's a quill," he said.

"That could belong to anyone," Hermione argued.

"Yeah," he answered. "But it's something..."

Hermione walked further along toward the restricted section and knelt down for a better look at the floor.

"See anything?" Harry asked, stuffing the quill in his pocket.

Hermione ran her fingers over the fabric of the carpet. "Harry..."

"What?" he came up and knelt down beside her.

"Soot," Hermione said showing him the black powder on her fingertips.

Harry's eyebrows creased together. "Why would there be soot here?"

"Dunno," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Madam Pince always does cleaning spells when she closes the library each night. There shouldn't be anything here."

Harry nodded. "Perhaps the attacker Floos in from somewhere."

"Do you have anyone who can check the Floo Network to see which connections were active last night?" Hermione asked him.

"I'll talk to Sirius and tell him what we found out," Harry said getting up and offering her his hand to help her up as well.

Hermione looked at him for a moment before finally taking his hand. "Thanks."

He nodded. "We should... get to class then." he said after a moment. "I'll need you to fill me in on anything I should know."

"So, you don't actually know everything then?" Hermione asked with a grin.

Harry glared at her. "I know everything I NEED to know. This is all useless bullshit."

Hermione sighed. "Sorry, I was just trying to make a joke. Excuse me."

Harry felt bad. "I'm sorry," he apologised. "I guess I just really want to prove myself here. This is the first case I've worked on without Sirius and I want it to go well."

Hermione's expression softened. "I want to prove myself too. "

"You want to be an Auror?" he asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied. "Why? Do you not think I can do it?"

"I didn't say that," Harry answered.

"Sorry," Hermione said quickly. "I don't mean to be snappish with you. I didn't sleep very well last night."

"I didn't either," Harry muttered, sneaking a look at her.

"My roommates snore," Hermione said hastily. She didn't want him thinking he had something to do with her lack of sleep.

"So does Ron," Harry said.

"Speaking of Ron, you should be careful around his sister," Hermione told him. "She's got a bit of a crush."

"On who?" Harry asked.

"On you," Hermione said as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Isn't she dating that other guy, um... Dean?" he asked.

"This week," Hermione said sarcastically.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "She's okay looking," he said. "Not really my type. Seems a bit desperate."

Hermione didn't know why this made her feel better. "She is a bit actually."

"She offered me some notes even though she's not in our classes," Harry answered as Hermione led him up the stairs.

"Yes, well she's not exactly known for her brains," Hermione said.

Harry smirked at that.

"I'll warn you that Binns can talk in a bit of a monotone," Hermione said quickening her step. "Ron uses this class to catch up on his sleep."

"Maybe I will too," Harry said, hurrying behind her.

Hermione rolled her eyes and opened the door to the class. They were late but not by much. Binns though was completely focused on his lecture and didn't say anything to them.

"We'll sit here," she whispered, pulling him to a table near the back. "Normally I sit up front but--"

"You can't bear to be away from me," Harry said sitting down beside her. "I get it."

"Ugh," she said. "You have such an ego, you know?"

"It's well-earned," Harry whispered back. He caught Ron's eye who looked quizzically at him.

He shrugged in response and sent him a cocky grin.

Hermione took out her book, parchment and a quill. She tried to focus on Binns and what he was saying, but she was finding it hard to concentrate.

Harry sat back, not caring about taking notes. He leaned his chair so it was balancing on two legs.

He glimpsed surreptitiously at Hermione and for the first time noticed that her uniform seemed to fit her better today.

"What?" she hissed when she caught him looking at her.

"Nothing," he replied.

"Why don't you take some notes then?" she whispered. "It wouldn't kill you to learn something."

"I'm learning something right now," Harry said with a wink.

She narrowed her eyes. "What might that be?"

"You have nice legs, Granger," Harry leaned in and whispered in her ear.

She felt herself turn bright red.

"Just an observation," Harry said softly.

"You shouldn't be doing this," Hermione fought to keep her voice from trembling. "You should be listening to the lecture."

"I'd rather look at your legs," he said boldly. "Is that making you uncomfortable?"

"Yes it is," she whispered quickly.

"Sorry," he said even though he wasn't the least bit apologetic.

"You are not," she bit her lower lip, remembering how his mouth had felt when pressed against hers last night.

"Are too," Harry retorted.

"You are so..." Hermione searched her mind for the right word.

"So...." Harry prodded. He was enjoying this. Maybe classes wouldn't be so useless after all.

"Infuriating?" she suggested. "Arrogant? The world's biggest git?"

Harry laughed. "But you like me despite that, don't you?"

"I most certainly do not," she hissed. "And keep your voice down!"

"Liar," Harry said before leaning back in his chair and closing his eyes.

Hermione looked at him for a moment before shaking her head and going back to her notes, writing furiously across the parchment.

She did notice the smug expression on his face and being the competitive person she was, she figured she'd play his little game. Turning to her side, she crossed her legs and hiked up her skirt a little, but kept her eyes on her piece of parchment.

Harry cracked his eyes open just a bit and bit his lower lip as he saw how her skirt had crawled up.

"Do you mind if I borrow your ink?" Hermione asked not waiting for answer before leaning over him.

"Hey," Harry sat up as she brushed a rather sensitive area of the male anatomy.

"Hello," Hermione said in a husky voice.

"What are you doing?" he stared at her.

"Borrowing your ink," she replied as she dipped her quill into the bottle.

Harry gulped, unaware that he was breathing a bit hard. "You have a whole bottle of your own." he pointed out.

"Oh?" Hermione asked looking over her shoulder. "Yes, I do."

After glaring at her for a moment, Harry leaned back again and closed his eyes until they were only open a crack.

Hermione smiled to herself. Take that, she thought, as she returned her attention to the lecture.

She was playing him like a violin, Harry realised. He untucked his shirt and stretched, arching his back and showing off his abdomen.

Hermione honestly tried not to look, but she couldn't help herself.

Harry suppressed a grin as he saw her sneak a glance at him.

"Arrogant bastard," Hermione whispered.

Harry opened one eye. "You say something?" he asked, running his hands through his hair.

"You know very well that I did," Hermione said gathering up her belongings. She'd never been so happy to see a class come to an end.

"Like you weren't doing the same thing to me?" Harry asked, leaving his shirt untucked. "With your skirt all the way up your thigh?"

"I was giving you a taste of your own medicine," Hermione hissed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry replied, grinning at a group of girls who blushed and giggled when he walked past.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I'm sure one of them would be only too happy to help you to your next class."

"It's the same class as you right?" Harry asked in a calm tone. "So I'll just follow you."

"Great," Hermione said quietly.

"Hey, wait up!" Ron called out to them.

Harry stopped to let the redhead catch up to them. "Hey where's your necklace?" he cracked.

"Why were you late for class?" Ron asked ignoring Harry's question. "Hermione's never late and I just wonder what sort of thing you had to get upstairs..."

"Oh it was something for class," Harry replied.

"Right," Ron said sarcastically.

"Where's um... Lavender?" Harry asked, quickening his step a bit to catch up to Hermione. He had no idea what or where his next class was and he didn't want to lose her.

"Shite!" Ron exclaimed. "I'll see you both later."

"Don't you have---" Harry asked but Ron had already taken off.

"He doesn't have Ancient Runes, but we do," Hermione said over her shoulder.

"Ancient Runes?" Harry asked with a groan. "What sort of useless classes are you taking?"

"A fair few," Hermione replied. "And they're not useless!"

"What's History of Magic going to do for you?" Harry asked her bluntly.

"I find it fascinating," Hermione said tersely. "And you could learn something too if you'd stop being so obstructive about all of this."

"I already told you," Harry said, walking backwards so he could look at her. "I already know everything I need to know."

"You're infuriating," Hermione said. "And quit walking like that!"

"Why?" Harry asked with a rather appealing grin.

"Why are you baiting me?" Hermione countered.

"Who says I'm baiting you?" Harry asked, still walking backwards.

Hermione had just about had enough and she took his arm and yanked him behind a pillar. "I don't understand you at all. Last night, we agreed that we would put what happened behind us and today, you're...you're..."

"I'm what?" he asked her softly.

"Trying to make me..." Hermione started to say, but he was stepping closer to her which was clouding her mind. "Trying to make me..."

He hadn't thought much of her before he had seen her last night, but today he thought she was even prettier than she had been while all dressed up. Her hair, although wild and untamed, was flattering to her, and she had a tiny smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose. And her eyes, which Harry had originally thought were a dull, serious brown, were alive and warm as he looked into them.

"Harry," Hermione whispered when he touched her cheek. "This is a mistake."

"No it's not," he answered, not feeling in control for the first time in his life.

She closed her eyes and leaned in for the kiss that she knew was coming.

Harry also found himself leaning in, but stopped just a hair's breath away from her lips.

"Harry?"

He opened his eyes. "Yeah?"

"Nothing," she said before pressing her lips to his. They were late for class, but she could care less right now.

3. Chapter 3

Authors' note: We can't believe the response the story has received so far. Thank you all for the feedback. We know that you might still have questions and if so, please feel free to address them in your review replies or you can head on over to the community. If you’re reading the DDverse, please remember to send us your questions for Katie/Ashley and we both want to wish all of you Happy Holidays!

Her bold action took him by surprise and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her against him.

Her hands fisted in his hair as he deepened the kiss. This was a stupid move, but she was powerless to stop it.

He opened her lips under his, plundering her mouth hungrily.

She gasped as he slid a hand underneath her skirt.

"I don't know why you hide like this," he whispered, trailing his lips down her neck.

"I-I'm not hiding," Hermione whispered. "Mmmmmmm...."

His hand cupped under her chin and he kissed her again. Harry wondered what was going on- he didn't usually lose himself over girls like this.

"I want you," she heard herself say.

Harry pulled away. "What?"

"Um," Hermione stammered.

His green eyes bore right into hers. "Hermione..."

"I got a little carried away," she said looking away from him.

"Me too," Harry stepped back.

She wished the floor would open up and swallow her hole. "We're going to be really late," she said instead.

"We should probably go then," he said, picking up her bag.

"Thanks," Hermione said quietly.

Harry shook his head to try and clear his thoughts as he followed her to their next class. He'd only known her a day and he could barely control himself around her after seeing her in that dress last night.

He was completely lost in Ancient Runes and for some reason the professor kept calling on him for answers and then reamed him out when he'd fallen asleep.

By the time that class was over, Hermione was sure she'd regained control of her own senses. "You should pay a little more attention," she told Harry as he lagged behind her. "I mean, even if you're not a real student, we don't want everyone else knowing it."

"Right," Harry said distractedly.

"Well, well, well," someone drawled from behind them. Harry turned around to see a blonde haired boy smirking at him and Hermione. "If it isn't Scarhead and the Mudblood."

Harry looked at the boy with a stranger's indifference.

"Leave us alone, Malfoy," Hermione said icily.

Malfoy... Harry remembered the name from a former case. They'd been sent in to bust Lucius Malfoy as he attempted to get rid of some of the dark magic objects he'd collected.

"I caught your little make out session in the hall earlier," Malfoy said folding his arms and looking appraisingly at Hermione.

"You what?" Hermione asked.

"Oh come on Mudblood," Malfoy sneered. "You and Scarhead? Looks like you're dragging to the bottom of the barrel, even for you."

"Malfoy, you call her that again and I'm going to kick your arse," Harry warned.

"I'm just terrified of you, Scarhead," he sneered. "I wonder what the school would say if they knew you were snogging the school shrew."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by the collar and shoved him against the wall.

"He's not worth it, Harry," Hermione said trying to calm him down.

"You're just like your pathetic father aren't you?" Harry smirked at him.

"Let go of me, Potter," Malfoy demanded.

"Let him go Harry," Hermione put a hand on his arm. "Like I said, he's not worth it."

"Not until he apologises to you," Harry said tightening his grip on Malfoy's collar. "Apologise to the lady, Malfoy."

"Fuck off, Potter." Malfoy said through clenched teeth.

"Apologise," Harry ordered.

Malfoy mumbled something unintelligible.

"Louder," Harry demanded.

"SORRY!" Malfoy snapped.

"Good boy," Harry said finally releasing him.

"You shouldn't have done that," Hermione said as Malfoy stalked away.

"He called you a shrew and a Mudblood," Harry said. "He's lucky that's all I did."

She stared at him for a moment. "Just when I think I might have you figured out..."

"I'm keeping you on your toes, Granger," Harry said smiling at her.

"I guess that means I'll have to work twice as hard to keep you on yours," she returned.

*** *** ***

Ron Weasley couldn't remember the last time he'd been this confused. For one thing, it actually hadn't bothered him when Luna Lovegood had asked him to walk her to her dormitory again that evening. For another, he hadn't been bothered when he saw Lavender walking to dinner with Seamus Finnigan.

But the thing that was confusing and bothering him the most was watching his best friend suddenly hang out with Hermione Granger. Since they had started school neither one of them had done much with her, and now Harry was acting like she was one of their best friends.

When he walked into the Great Hall, he saw Harry sitting with Hermione, deep in conversation about something. He rolled his eyes. The last thing he wanted to do was listen to her drone on about how great Hogwarts: a History was while he was trying to eat.

With a rather audible groan, he sat down heavily at the other end of the Gryffindor table and glared at the two of them, who hadn't even noticed his arrival.

His mood didn't put a damper on his appetite and he loaded his plate with one of everything. He saw Hermione stalk past him a few minutes later and he wondered if Harry had finally told her what she could do with her precious books. Ron looked over at his best friend and saw that he was watching Hermione leave.

Grabbing his plate along with another platter full of waffles, he headed down the table. "What's going on?" he asked, point blank.

"Nothing much," Harry replied. "What's going on with you?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Why are you hanging out with her all of a sudden?"

"Why not?" Harry asked with a shrug. "She's not that bad."

Ron stared at him. "Have you gone mental?" he hissed. "Don't you remember in third year when she turned your Firebolt in to McGonagall?"

Harry really needed to sit down with Dumbledore to get a complete list of these memories he'd implanted in Ron's brain. "Water under the bridge, mate."

"Yeah but you didn't get it back for almost three months," Ron said furiously. "And she's always going on about school and how we should all do homework all the bloody time..."

"She is wound a bit too tight," Harry admitted. "And she does take school way too seriously."

"How can you stand it?" Ron shoved a huge forkful of pancakes into his mouth.

"I ask myself that question a lot," Harry said thinking about how she'd sat close to him a few minutes ago and how all he wanted to do was take her upstairs and...

"Maybe she's got you under a love potion," Ron suggested.

"Yeah, maybe," Harry said stifling a groan as Ginny Weasley sat down across from him.

"Hi, Harry," she said winking at him.

"Hi," he responded, reaching for his bag.

"You're not leaving are you?" Ginny asked with a pout.

"Yeah," Harry replied shortly. "Why should it matter?"

"Because," she said. "I was wondering if perhaps you'd like to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend. It's the first one and I know we'd have a good time."

"Can't," Harry said brusquely. "I've got plans already."

"With Hermione Granger?" Ginny asked with a frown. "The entire school is talking Harry. She's really not your type."

Harry cast a frustrated glance at Ron, who was now totally involved in his breakfast. "When have I ever cared what everyone else has said?"

"So, it's true?" Ginny asked.

"Ginny mind your own bloody business," Harry replied. "I don't know why it matters to you. It's not as if we're together, or ever will be."

"But...we were," Ginny said looking at Ron. "It was only for a short time, but--"

Harry resisted the urge to sneer. "I have to go," he said abruptly.

"To be with her!" Ginny exclaimed, starting to sob.

"Ginny," Ron looked at his sister. "You know you were only with him two weeks. It's not like it was some great love affair."

"I know," Ginny said wiping at her eyes. "But I always thought that one day; we'd get back together..."

"Why are you going out with Dean if you're hung up on Harry?" Ron asked bluntly.

Harry wished he could disappear. This wasn't a conversation he wanted to witness.

"You don't understand the first thing about girls, Ron." Ginny snapped.

"Tell me about it," Ron admitted glumly.

Harry backed away, hoping neither Weasley would notice his retreat. He actually felt a little sick at the thought of Ginny thinking they'd dated. She wasn't his type at all.

A blonde-haired girl fell into step beside him as he walked upstairs. He'd seen her sitting at Ernie Macmillan's bedside and tried to remember her name. Hannah something?

"Hi Harry," she smiled a bit shyly at him.

"Any change in Ernie?" Harry asked.

Hannah shook her head. "It's a little scary, thinking how he was attacked." she said softly.

"I know," Harry said. He remembered Hermione saying something about how Hannah and Ernie dating. "So, do you know why he was in the library after hours, Hannah?"

Hannah shook her head. "Knowing Ernie, he was probably trying to research something. He loves reading."

"He was a bit of a straight-arrow, though," Harry said. "I can't imagine he'd sneak into the library..."

Hannah shrugged. "I wish I knew why he was there," she said. "I wish I'd known he was going to sneak out, I would have stopped him.

"I don't know Ernie all that well," Harry said treading carefully. "But do you know if he had any problems with anyone?"

"Other than some Slytherins, no." Hannah shook her head.

"Yeah, you've got to just love those Slytherins," Harry said dryly.

"Interesting how none of them have been attacked," Hannah looked over at him. "Kind of reminds me about second year, when there was a Basilisk going around the school. You took care of that too..."

"Um, yeah," Harry said evasively. "Listen, Hannah. I have to go, but if anything changes with Ernie, let me know."

"Okay," Hannah said. "Be careful around here Harry."

Harry nodded. "Will do." He practically ran upstairs eager to brainstorm with Hermione. He didn't know why he hadn't thought of it sooner.

Hermione was just getting her things ready and was headed through the common room to her first class when Harry yanked her aside. "OW!" she snapped.

"Sorry," Harry muttered. "Come on."

"What?" She tried to pull away. "Where are we going?"

"Put our heads together," Harry said. "You've any ideas where we can be alone? And please don't give me a lecture about skiving. This is more important right now."

"There's the Room of Requirement," Hermione said reluctantly. The way he'd been behaving at breakfast certainly didn't give her any desire to be alone with him.

"The what?" Harry asked.

"The Room of Requirement," Hermione answered. "It'll appear when we need it."

"Show me the way," Harry said.

"You have to NEED the room," Hermione said impatiently. "It'll appear when you truly need it."

Harry groaned. "Well we truly need it, Granger."

"Concentrate then," she snapped.

"Tetchy, tetchy," Harry said, but closed his eyes just the same and tried to think of what he wanted in a room.

"There," she said brusquely a few moments later. A door had materialised on the wall right in front of them. "Come on..."

"Ladies first,' Harry said opening it for her.

"That's the most chivalrous thing you've said all day," she muttered.

"You're welcome," Harry said following her into the room. It looked eerily like the Gryffindor common room.

"All right," Hermione dropped her bag on the table. "What's so important that you're keeping me out of class?"

He told her about his conversation with Hannah. "Something she said really stuck with me. No Slytherins have been attacked, right? So, I think we need to find some sort of common ground." Hermione nodded and Harry continued. "So, our first victim was Padma Patil, a seventh year Ravenclaw prefect. Who was the second?" he asked her.

"A Gryffindor named Romilda Vane," Hermione answered. "She was found in one of the abandoned classrooms near the Third Floor Corridor."

"Padma was found near the entrance to Gryffindor Tower on the seventh floor," Harry said thoughtfully. "Okay and our third victim was....Terry Boot, wasn't it? Another Ravenclaw?"

Hermione nodded.

"And he was found in the dungeons right outside Snape's classroom, right?" Harry asked.

"Right," Hermione said. "And then the fourth victim, Colin Creevey, was found near the Great Hall."

"Another Gryffindor," Harry said finally sitting down. "Followed by another Hufflepuff----Michael Corner. And then Gryffindor Jack Sloper and finally, Hufflepuff Ernie Macmillan."

Harry wrote all the names down. "Not one single Slytherin."

"That doesn't mean that one won't be attacked," Hermione said giving them the benefit of the doubt. "Besides, Draco Malfoy's not smart enough to pull something like this off and if you've seen his two cronies, you know that they definitely couldn't have---"

"I suppose you're right," Harry said. "I wish I bloody knew more about everyone here."

"That's why you have me," Hermione said. "All you have to do is ask."

"Why don't you tell me why Ginny Weasley thinks I dated her for two weeks," Harry rolled his eyes. "I'm not into the desperate ones."

"I'm not really sure," Hermione admitted. "You'd have to ask the Headmaster. But, it's no secret that Ginny's always had a crush on you."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I haven't even been here. She doesn't even know me."

Hermione thumbed through her notes. "Well, if she did know you, she wouldn't fancy you."

"Funny, Granger." Harry smirked at her.

"I can't really see any patterns," Hermione said deciding it would be best to get back to the business at hand. "Other than Slytherin house is the only one that hasn't had any attacks. So, whoever is doing this doesn't really have any rhyme or reason. They're just finding people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"It doesn't sound right," Harry argued. "Of course, if it's a Slytherin, they want to protect their own house."

"I've tried to question them, but they don't exactly want to talk to me," Hermione said closing her notebook. "I was thinking that perhaps if we tried to question a few of them together..."

"You think they'll listen to me?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You said they all hate me."

"It's worth a shot," Hermione said. "What else do we have to lose?"

Harry shrugged. "Nothing, I suppose."

"Okay then," Hermione said looking at her watch. "We have about thirty minutes until our next class."

"Whatever shall we do?" Harry asked, leaning back.

"I'm going to go over my notes for Charms," Hermione said reaching into her bag for her textbook.

"How exciting," Harry said, pushing the table aside with his foot.

"It is," Hermione said setting her book on her lap.

"I wouldn't mind being that book right now," Harry said in a lewd tone.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Does anyone ever buy your lines?"

"Maybe," Harry grinned at her.

"So you have a girlfriend then?" Hermione asked trying to sound as if she could care less.

"Hell no," Harry snorted.

"What's so funny about that?" Hermione asked finally looking at him.

"Too much of a bother," he answered.

"Oh," Hermione said nodding her head. It was now crystal clear to her. "You like girls, you just don't like having strings attached?"

Harry grinned at her again. "Maybe," he replied in a tone that made it clear he enjoyed teasing her.

"The love them and leave them type," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Is that what you think I am?" Harry was amused.

Hermione shut her book and glared at him. "What type of person snogs some girl that he's just met?"

"If I'm not mistaken Granger, you kissed me back." Harry said smugly.

"Temporary loss of sanity," Hermione muttered. "It's not going to happen again."

"That so?" Harry asked. "Are you sure about that?"

"Positive," Hermione said inching away from him on the sofa.

Harry said nothing, only watched her as she opened her book again.

Hermione turned slightly away from him and tried to concentrate on what she was reading. Perhaps she should ask Professor McGonagall to recommend a book for her essay, she thought as she felt his breath on her neck. Do not fall for it. Under no circumstances am I going to turn around and let him think he's affecting me. Because he's not.

"Hermione," he said softly. "You can't deny that you're attracted to me."

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "Um, did you know that that Skilmante spent over fifty years trying to come up with a better Summoning charm?"

"Who?" Harry asked, twisting a lock of her hair around his finger.

"S-Skilmante," Hermione replied. "He's an Italian wizard that...that..."

"I don't care about any Italian wizards," Harry's lips touched her ear.

She leaned against him, still waging that battle in her head about whether or not she should turn around. "You...you really should read some of his essays," she stammered.

"Are they really that fascinating?" he asked huskily.

"They're quite stimulating," Hermione replied without thinking.

"I know what's stimulating," Harry said. "And it's not an essay..."

Hermione knew the best thing would be to stand up and walk out of this room. She got as far as the standing up part, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back down on his lap. "I-I really need to go," she whispered looking up into his green eyes.

"You're already late for class," he said, looking at her intensely. Harry was feeling out of control again and part of him loved it and the other part hated it. "What's a few more minutes going to do?"

Hermione opened her mouth to tell him that tardiness was never excusable.

"You know you want to stay," Harry said, leaning in closer to her.

"You're so arrogant," Hermione said softly.

"And you like it," Harry grinned appealingly.

She wasn't about to tell him that she did. He wasn't like anyone she'd ever met and she thought about him far more than she should. "You're going to kiss me, aren't you?"

He touched the side of her face and looked uncharacteristically serious. "I am."

Hermione smiled up at him. "Okay..."

Harry wondered at the sudden change in her attitude. Only minutes before she'd been trying to push him away.

"But only because we have time to kill," Hermione said hastily.

Harry raised an eyebrow sceptically.

"And I know more than enough about Charms," Hermione continued. "I've read that book about three times already and to tell you the truth..."

She was starting to weird him out. He shifted so she wasn't on his lap anymore.

"W-what's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing," Harry said. "Maybe you're right. We should get to class."

"Oh," Hermione said wondering what was wrong all of a sudden.

He was strangely silent as they left the Room of Requirement. Harry wondered what on earth was wrong with him- normally he'd have just shut a girl up by snogging the hell out of her, but something had held him back.

They had missed their first class, but Hermione led the way downstairs to the Potions class. She'd sat beside Harry at the last class, but this time chose to sit beside Seamus instead.

Harry sat down in the seat across the aisle from her and watched as she began a conversation with his Irish room mate. When she laughed at something Seamus said, his eyes narrowed. Why should he be jealous?

"Silence," Snape ordered as he stalked into the classroom.

Harry slouched down in his chair as Ron took the seat on the other side of him. He hated potions lessons when Sirius taught them, much less this greasy git.

"Who can tell me the three ingredients in a Confusing & Befuddlement draught?" Snape asked in a disinterested tone. Immediately, Hermione's hand shot up, but the professor ignored her as he usually did.

Harry stretched his legs out, completely bored.

"No one?" the professor sneered.

"She can." Harry nodded his head towards Hermione. "Can't you see she knows the answer?"

"Mr. Potter," Snape said levelling his gaze at Harry. "I didn't realise you were in charge of this class..."

"At least I'm not blind as a bat," Harry said evenly. "I can see when someone knows the answer."

Hermione brought her hand down and gaped at Harry.

"Mr. Potter, you should hold your tongue," Snape hissed. "Despite what you might think---"

"Sneezewort," Hermione interjected. "Scurvy-grass and lovage are the three ingredients in that potion, Sir."

Snape glared at her. "Correct, and ten points from Gryffindor for Mr. Potter's... lip."

"You know what you can do with your points?" Harry asked leaning back in his chair.

"Sir, what do you think are the best uses for such a potion?" Hermione asked trying to save Harry. She knew Snape was a git, but talking back to him was educational suicide.

Snape held up a hand to silence her. "Why don't you tell me, Potter? In detention."

"That's really not fair, Sir," Hermione spoke up. "Harry's not been feeling well and ..."

"You can join him, Miss Granger," Snape glared at her.

"You've never had detention," Seamus whispered.

Hermione glared at him.

"That might not be such a good idea," Draco drawled from the back of the class. "Potty'll probably use it as an excuse to snog Granger. Though, I can't see why..."

"I can," Blaise Zabini joined in. "Losers band together. Like attracts like."

Harry shoved his chair back so fast it slammed into the table behind him. "You'd do well to shut your mouth, Malfoy," he snarled.

"One more outburst like that and you'll be thrown out of this class," Snape warned.

Hermione couldn't believe this. Yes, Harry was speaking out of turn, but so were Malfoy and Zabini. Where was their punishment? "That's not fair!" she exclaimed.

"OUT!" Snape jabbed his finger towards the door.

"What?" Hermione asked. "You're throwing ME out?"

"Both of you," Snape said angrily. "You're disrupting my class!"

"Fine," Harry said grabbing his bag. "Later, Snivellus."

Hermione was seething as they left the classroom. "That's great Harry. That's just great. Make me miss one class and get me kicked out of the other!"

Harry didn't hear her because he was so ready to kick Snape's pale, pasty face in. He'd heard stories from Sirius and Lupin about what a wanker he was, but like everything else, you didn't quite realise how bad it was until you experienced it for yourself. "I'm not stepping foot in that arse's classroom again. And if he thinks I'm serving detention..."

"Hey," Hermione yanked on his arm. "You're a royal pain in my arse, you know that? You show up here and first you blow me off and then because you see me look like a tart, you suddenly decide you want me. Then you manage to screw up my classes- I've managed to stay on top all seven of my years here and now in just the span of a few days you're completely messing EVERYTHING in my life up!"

"And you're innocent, are you?" Harry rounded on her.

"More than you are," she glared at him.

"Give my regards to the headmaster," Harry said before turning on his heel and walking away from her. He was going to give Sirius a piece of his mind.

"Where are you going?" she demanded.

"To talk to someone," Harry called over his shoulder. "Go away, Granger. Go read a book or save an elf."

"Save an elf?" Hermione couldn't remember the last time she'd been this angry. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Ron told me all about you and something called spew," Harry replied. "You've been knitting hats and socks and what else was it?"

"Don't you dare make fun of SPEW." Hermione's eyes were so dark they were almost black.

Harry laughed. "Why? What are you going to do? Throw a book at me?"

Hermione shook her head. "You're not worth it."

"Why do you care?" Harry asked her. "Hmm?"

"I don't," she felt tears threaten to burn her eyes but wouldn't allow HIM to see that.

"Look, me being here and trying this school thing was a complete mistake," Harry said quietly. "I'm going to ask Sirius to assign someone else. Good luck, Granger."

"Good riddance," she called after him, spinning on her heel and heading on the opposite direction.

Harry knew that he'd gotten to her, and he felt like an ass for it, but what was done was done. He wasn't cut out for school and he didn't know why he'd ever bought into this idea in the first place. He wanted to prove himself to Sirius, but he'd find some other way to do that. There'd be another case.

4. Chapter Four

Authors’ note: Hi guys! This is the latest chapter of our new story. Will Harry stay to finish the case? Will he and Hermione ever find common ground? W do want to wish everyone a Happy New Year and please let us know what you think of the chapter.

He headed upstairs, knowing the Gryffindor Common room would be empty at this time of day and he could talk to Sirius in private.

Sirius had just sat down to a late breakfast when he heard his godson's voice coming from the sitting room.

"This had better be good," Sirius said walking into the sitting room.

"I'm out of here," Harry said. "I told you from the start this wasn't a good idea. Now another person was attacked and I don't know a damn thing. I want out. Now."

Sirius laughed. "I had you lasting a lot longer than that, Harry. Come on, mate. You've only been there a few days."

"And it's fucking awful," Harry snapped.

"Snape?" Sirius guessed.

"He tried to give me detention, but I'm not going," Harry said.

"I warned you about him," Sirius reminded him.

"Whatever," Harry said. "Just get me the hell out of here."

Sirius sighed. "And what about your partner? Are you going to just leave her?"

Harry nodded vigorously. "She's impossible Sirius."

"Remus has been singing her praises," Sirius said thoughtfully. "Says he hasn't seen such a clever mind in years. Very bright, he says."

Harry scoffed. "Whatever."

"Whatever indeed," Sirius said examining his godson's face. "You like her."

"I do not!" Harry denied quickly.

"That's not what I heard," Sirius said.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Sirius sat down on the sofa and grinned. "I heard that you and Miss Granger were creating quite a stir in The Three Broomsticks."

Harry laughed bitterly. "She was all dressed up for Viktor Krum. She said she was trying to get information out of him but I think she was there trying to get a date."

"She didn't leave with Krum though, did she?" Sirius asked. He knew his godson far too well. "She left with you and hasn't had contact with Krum since that evening."

"And how do you know?" Harry asked sarcastically.

"I know everything," Sirius deadpanned.

"Sod off," Harry said crossly. "So are you going to get me out of here or what?"

"No," Sirius replied.

"Why not?" Harry demanded. "Damn it Sirius..."

"You're not a quitter, Harry," Sirius said. "You remember those times you thought you'd never get those assignments? Those things that you failed at? Every single time, you got back up and tried again until you had it down."

"This is different," Harry replied. "I don't want to be here Sirius."

"Why not?" Sirius asked him. "Because it's difficult? Because you don't know what you're doing? Because you feel like you're above it all?"

"Something like that," Harry said angrily.

Sirius nodded. "If that's what you want, fine. I'll talk to Kingsley this afternoon."

"Thank you," Harry said in relief. He only had to put up with this place a few more hours.

"I'm disappointed in you Harry," Sirius said getting to his feet. "But I'm certainly not going to make you stay somewhere you don't want to be."

"Fine," Harry said shortly. "I'll see you soon."

Harry sat back on the sofa and stared absently into the flames. He wasn't giving up, he thought to himself. What he had done was assess the situation and had made a logical decision that it would be better for all parties involved if he cut his losses and left.

*** *** ***

Luna was working on an essay in the library for one of her classes, but her attention was only half hearted. Most of her focus was across the library in the form of a redheaded Gryffindor male.

Truth be told, she'd always been fascinated by him, but more so this year. That was until he'd taken back up with Lavender Brown. They were the on-again/off-again couple of Hogwarts and everyone wondered how long they'd last each time they got back together.

Luna thought had enjoyed the walks she'd shared with Ron over the last couple of days. He was a little hesitant, but she was starting to think that maybe, just maybe he was warming up to her. And to her delight, he was coming over toward her.

"I need your help," Ron said putting a book down before her.

"Of course," she beamed at him, sticking her quill behind her ear.

"What do you know about love potions?" Ron asked sitting down and motioning toward the book.

"Love potions?" Luna asked. "Um... I know that when someone's been put under one, they will often appear dazed and out of sorts, and act completely different."

"Exactly," Ron said nodding enthusiastically. "Now, you have to help me prove that Hermione Granger's using one on Harry."

"Why would Hermione Granger need a love potion?" Luna asked.

"Have you seen Hermione Granger?" Ron asked her. "Luna...she's a boring know-it-all bookworm who loves to nag you about everything that has to do with school. Does that sound like someone who you'd like to hang out with? Well, it certainly wasn't Harry...we used to make fun of her behind her back, you know? And now, he's...he was thrown out of class for defending her honour and then they're always together. ALL the time."

"Maybe he realises she's not so bad," Luna gazed at him. "If a lot of people would open their eyes, they'd see how many people just want to be accepted."

Ron didn't catch her meaning. He just shook his head. "If he has realised that, it's because she's slipping something into his pumpkin juice."

Luna looked dreamily up at him. "What if Lavender Brown has you under a love potion?"

Ron laughed. "She doesn't need a love potion."

"Are you sure?" Luna asked, tipping her head to one side.

"Completely," Ron replied thumbing through the book again. "I've fancied her since third year and I finally got her."

Luna's face fell just the tiniest bit. "I hope you're happy then..." she said softly.

"I am," Ron said with a shrug. "Most of the time."

"If you were truly happy, it'd be all the time," Luna stared up at him.

Ron looked across the table at her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Luna shrugged. "But if you were truly happy, you'd never be upset."

"That's rubbish," Ron argued. "No one's happy all the time."

Luna smiled at him. "You're probably right..."

"What about you?" Ron asked her. "Anyone you fancy?"

Luna blushed the tiniest bit as she gazed at him wordlessly.

Ron suddenly felt uncomfortable. "Um, well..."

"If you want a good book on love potions, I'd check on that shelf over there," Luna pointed.

"Thanks," Ron said relieved for the chance to get away from her. There was something about the way she'd looked at him that he was wondering if she would use a love potion on him.

She watched him go grab a few books and then sit back down by Lavender Brown.

"Why were you sitting with her?" Lavender hissed at him.

"I had to ask her something," Ron replied.

"About what?" Lavender asked.

"You won't say anything right?" Ron asked.

Lavender tampered her jealousy for a moment, eager to hear some gossip. "I swear, what is it?"

"I think Hermione Granger has Harry under some sort of love potion," Ron said in a low voice. "Why else would he suddenly be hanging out with her?"

"I wouldn't put it past her and she is great at potions," Lavender said tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"So you think so too?" Ron asked eagerly.

Lavender inched closer to him. "I do and do you know...the other night, I saw her sneaking back into our room and she was wearing this ...well, it was this really great dress and the most amazing boots. I didn't even recognise her."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "That's really odd..."

"She looked like a right tart," Lavender said.

"Maybe she is," Ron snorted. "I've never liked her."

"If she's dating your best friend, you might have to learn to like her," Lavender commented.

"She is NOT dating Harry," Ron glared at her.

"Why do you care?" Lavender asked with a laugh.

"Because Harry's my best friend and she's a complete shrew," Ron slammed his book shut.

"She's not that bad," Lavender tried to reassure him.

"Like you spend any time with her at all," Ron snapped.

"I share a room with her," Lavender reminded him.

"Fuck this," Ron got up. "I'm out of here."

"Ron, you're acting like a child," Lavender said. "Over your best friend dating Hermione Granger. Big deal."

Ron said nothing, only shoved his things in his bag.

Lavender sighed. "Well, I guess we won't be going to the Astronomy Tower tonight then."

"You know, you always made fun of her too," Ron said furiously. "And now you act like she's your best friend."

"Why are we arguing over Hermione Bloody Granger?" Lavender asked, her cheeks flushed with anger.

"Because you don't see things the way I do," Ron glared back.

"News flash, Ron," Lavender said getting in his face. "Not everyone agrees with you!"

Ron reached into his pocket and threw Lavender's stupid necklace onto the table. "We're over," he snapped. "Again."

"Fine with me!" Lavender retorted grabbing her things and running out of the library.

"Bitch," Ron muttered.

"Language, Mr. Weasley!" Madam Pince admonished from behind him.

"Sorry," Ron grunted. He left his books on the table and headed out of the library, not noticing the blonde that followed.

"Ronald," Luna called after him. "Ronald!"

"WHAT?" Ron roared, turning around.

Luna nearly jumped out of her skin. "You--you left this," she said quietly handing him the book on love potions.

"Oh," Ron said, taking the book. "Uh... thanks."

"No problem," Luna said thinking that she'd best leave him alone.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "Lav and I just had a fight and I didn't mean to snap at you."

"I think the whole library heard you," Luna admitted.

"Yeah well..." Ron rolled his eyes. "No love potion for me..."

"Maybe it's for the best," Luna said softly.

"I guess," Ron replied. "Well... thanks for the book." he'd never noticed before, but her eyes were a very bright blue when she wasn't all zoned out.

"You're quite welcome," Luna said smiling tentatively at him.

He smiled back at her before turning and heading back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

As if his day couldn't get any better, he nearly ran into Hermione Granger on the staircase.

"Excuse me," Hermione said trying to ease past him.

"Where are you going?" he asked coldly. "To slip Harry more love potion?"

Hermione glared at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"Why else would he want to hang out with you?" Ron snapped.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He doesn't want to hang out with me, you half-wit. In fact, he's leaving."

"Huh?" Ron was genuinely befuddled. "Leaving? How can he leave in the middle of the year? He only did that when he defeated You Know Who---" he went pale. "Oh fuck... is he back? Is that why Harry's leaving?"

Harry had heard their voices the moment he'd set foot out of his room. He debated going back inside and waiting for them to finish up, but he was worried he'd miss Sirius and he took his chances.

"What's this about you leaving then?" Ron asked rounding on his best friend.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Harry asked in a crabby tone.

"Granger just told me that you were leaving," Ron said folding his arms. "Is HE back?"

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Is WHO back?"

"You know," Ron whispered. "HIM."

"He means Voldemort," Hermione said impatiently.

"Don't SAY HIS NAME!" Ron shouted.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He's dead, Ronald."

"Then why are you leaving?" Ron turned to face his best friend.

Hermione levelled her gaze at Harry. "Yeah, Harry. Why are you leaving?"

"None of your fucking business," Harry said coolly to them both.

"If you'll excuse me, I have detention," Hermione said primly. "Goodbye, Harry. Have a nice life."

"Have a nice detention," he smirked at her.

Hermione wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of a response. The sooner he was out of here, the better off they'd all be.

"I thought you had detention too," Ron said to Harry. "But I guess if you're LEAVING, it doesn't make a difference. Thanks for sharing with me."

"It was last minute," Harry said which was true. "I'll see you around, mate."

"Fuck you," Ron snapped. "Seven years of friendship and this is it, eh?"

Harry nearly told him it was more like seven days, but he kept his mouth shut. "Look---"

"Don't you want to go give your girlfriend a goodbye snog?" Ron interjected.

"What?" Harry asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Hermione," Ron replied. "You know, the girl you've been spending every single waking moment with. "

"She's not my girlfriend," Harry spat.

"Then what is she?" Ron asked.

"She's nothing," Harry answered coldly.

Dennis Creevey cleared his throat. "Excuse me, sirs. But, Headmaster Dumbledore asked to see you Harry. He said it was urgent."

"Finally," Harry said, pushing past Ron and heading out of the portrait door.

Dumbledore was sitting in his office with Sirius and Kingsley Shacklebolt discussing the case.

"I'm sure Harry and Miss Granger will be here shortly," Dumbledore said to his guests.

"I finally get to meet the famous Miss Granger," Sirius said with a grin.

"She's quite the handful," Dumbledore said with a laugh. "And the most intelligent witch since Lily Potter."

Sirius grinned even wider and wondered if history was perhaps repeating itself.

"I think I hear them coming now," Dumbledore said. And sure enough, the three adults could hear Harry and Hermione arguing.

"I am not following you," Hermione was saying to him. "Professor Snape told me that the headmaster wished to see me."

"Whatever," Harry said angrily. "Just--" his words cut off when he saw Sirius and Kingsley sitting there. "Am I leaving?"

"Have a seat," Dumbledore instructed. "Miss Granger, you've met Kingsley, of course, but I'd like for you to meet Sirius Black."

Hermione smiled warmly at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Black."

"And you as well," Sirius grinned at her. "You're quite the genius, I've heard."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Enough with the mutual admiration society crap," Harry interjected. "When do we leave?"

"We're leaving as soon as this meeting is over," Kingsley stood up. "You, Potter, are staying until this is resolved."

"WHAT?" Harry and Hermione both practically shouted in unison.

"You were assigned this case for a reason," Kingsley said with a hard look at both of them. "And you're going to stay until it's finished."

"What's the reason, Kingsley?" Harry asked, trying to keep his cool. "I'm not cut out for this."

"We wouldn't have placed you here if we didn't think you could handle it," Kingsley said coolly.

Harry turned and glared at his godfather.

"Don't look at him," Kingsley said. "This was my decision, Harry. And it's final. You might not like taking orders, but you'll have to learn quickly if you want to succeed as an Auror."

"What the fuck ever," Harry rolled his eyes.

"We won't let you down, Sir," Hermione said firmly. "We'll do whatever it takes to solve this case."

Kingsley's eyes softened a bit. "Thank you Miss Granger. We are not disappointed with your research so far and we have faith you won't let us down."

His praise meant more to her than he'd ever know. She had spent the last few hours feeling like such a failure, but knowing that he had confidence in her strengthened her resolve. "Thank you, sir."

"I know Professor Snape assigned you both to detention, but I think we can waive that so you both can get to work," Dumbledore told them.

"Thank you," Hermione said. "In fact, I was thinking that perhaps Harry could help me with my rounds tonight."

"Brilliant idea," Sirius said with a wicked grin at his godson.

"We'll be in touch," Kingsley said nodding his head to dismiss them.

"Good luck," Sirius told Harry.

"Not one word," Harry said glaring at him before following Hermione out of the office.

Hermione didn't want to work with Harry any more than he wanted to work with her, but she couldn't resist sending him a superior look. "It's good to know my work is appreciated," she said happily.

"We won't let you down, sir," Harry mimicked. "We'll do whatever it takes..."

"Bugger off," Hermione scowled at him. "You're stuck here so you may as well get used to it."

"This is complete bullshit," Harry muttered. "They're punishing me."

"You poor thing," she mocked.

Harry begrudgingly had to admit that it probably was a good idea to accompany her on her rounds this evening. "We're stuck, Granger."

"Tell me something I don't know," she retorted. "So let's make the best of it, solve this, and go our separate ways."

"Well, just don't expect me to snog you again," Harry muttered.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Hermione said sarcastically. "By the way, did I mention I got an owl from Viktor? He's coming for the Hogsmeade weekend and I'm sure I can get more information out of him."

"Since he was so helpful last time?" Harry asked sarcastically. "I'm not going to let you sabotage the investigation so you can shag Krum..."

"You're just jealous," Hermione refused to let him ruffle her feathers again. "Because I'm doing a better job than you are."

"Says who?" Harry asked looking at her sideways. "This is your first bloody case."

"And it's the first one you've done on your own," Hermione said calmly. "Well, without your godfather at least. Like it or not, we're partners. So deal with it."

"I'm not leaving you alone with Krum," Harry said defiantly.

"So you've suddenly decided to care?" she asked sarcastically.

"You have no idea what he's capable of," Harry said defensively.

"Neither do you," Hermione said.

"Which is why you aren't going to be alone with him," Harry said smugly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You think you're so much better than me don't you?"

"I never said that," Harry retorted. "I just think that I have a lot more experience in this than you do. You're more of a behind the scenes type person, Granger."

Hermione scoffed. "You think you're such an expert at reading people don't you?"

Harry shrugged. "I wouldn't say I'm an expert..."

"I'd hardly say that," Hermione replied crisply.

"Okay," Harry said enjoying their banter. "How about you read me, Granger. Come on, Miss Bossy Boots. Let me have it."

"All right," Hermione crossed her arms. "You're a smug, arrogant bastard who thinks he's got the world on a plate. You hate being here because you're not in control, and you don't have the say in everything we do."

Harry gave her his most charming smile. "I wouldn't say I was a bastard..."

"I would," Hermione raised an eyebrow and forced herself to resist his obvious appeal.

"Fair enough," Harry said with a laugh. "You...you pretty much got it in one. I don't like having to answer to people."

Hermione smirked at him. "Well, if you'll excuse me, I have an essay to work on."

Harry grabbed her arm and pulled her to him. "What time are we doing rounds?"

"Half past ten," Hermione tried to pull away.

"You going to wear those boots again?" Harry asked huskily.

"Sod off," she said in a cross tone. "I'm not wearing anything special for YOU."

"We'll see," Harry said finally releasing her.

Hermione glared at him again before stalking away.

Harry watched her go and couldn't help smiling. He was stuck here and the thought of going to classes made him quite cross, but spending time with Granger and finding out what made her tick, would certainly help pass the time. Maybe, he thought with a grin, this wouldn't be that bad.

*** *** ***

That night Harry did indeed accompany Hermione on her rounds. He wore his invisibility cloak and walked a few paces behind her as she patrolled the corridors. Both of them kept their eyes and ears peeled for anything out of the ordinary.

"So, is this what you do for fun?" Harry whispered to her.

"This is my duty," Hermione hissed.

"Right," Harry said with a laugh. "I forgot how serious you take all of this stuff."

"Look," Hermione glared back at the empty air behind her. "I take my responsibilities seriously. If you did the same it'd be a nice change."

"I take my responsibilities seriously," Harry said. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Only because you were forced to be," she countered.

Harry was silent for a few moments because he didn't really have a response for that.

"So," he said as they turned the corridor.

"Come on," she said. "We still have the lower level to cover."

"Right," Harry said following her down the stairs. "So, you mind telling me why you and Ron hate each other?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Hermione asked with a smirk. "He thinks I'm a brainy ugly know it all, and I think he's a self centred git."

"You are a brainy know-it-all," Harry commented. "But he's wrong about the ugly part."

Hermione stopped so suddenly that he bumped into her.

"What did you stop for?" Harry asked angrily.

"Shhhh," Hermione whispered. "Where are you? Take off that cloak so I can see you!"

"Right behind you," he said taking off the cloak.

"Did you hear that?" she whispered.

Harry started to roll his eyes, but he did hear something coming from the potions classroom. He withdrew his wand and motioned for Hermione to do the same. "Follow me," he whispered.

The two of them crept along the corridor, keeping as flat to the wall as possible. "Do you see anything?" She asked her voice barely audible.

Harry peered into the dark classroom and could barely make out someone hunched over one of the cabinets in the back.

"Petrificus Totalus!" he pointed his wand and shot the spell, but the figure was too quick. Whoever it was dodged and ran out the other door to the classroom.

"Damn it!" Hermione cursed, brushing past him.

"Stay here,” Harry ordered taking off after the figure.

"Hey!" she called out angrily.

Harry ignored her as he ran out of the room. Hermione glared after him. In addition to being an arrogant prat, he was a sexist pig, she thought.

She knelt down to see what she could find out from the broken bottles on the floor. "Ragweed," Hermione murmured, reaching for a piece of parchment in her pocket. "Essence of molten lava..."

Harry was grumbling to himself when he came back into the classroom. "They must have Apparated," he told Hermione.

"How many times do I have to tell you that you can't do that at Hogwarts?" Hermione asked him. "If you read Hogwarts---"

"Well I'm NOT going to read it," Harry interrupted. "So fine, they didn't Apparate, but whoever it is knows how to hide themselves very well."

Hermione didn't answer him and continued to look at the broken bottles on the floor.

"What did you find out?" Harry asked after a moment.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said. "I'll have to do some research, but there were three broken bottles here. One was ragweed and the other was essence of molten lava. And this...is sulphurous. Harry, this is used to brew the Draught of the Living Death."

"What does that do?" Harry asked.

"It's used to put someone in a deep sleep," Hermione told him. She was wracking her brain to think of some sort of explanation for this group of ingredients. "This would explain how the victims coma-like state. But I'm not sure what the effects would be if it were combined with these other ingredients. Snape might know."

"Not like he's going to tell us anything," Harry said, nudging one of the bottles with his foot.

"He's going to be cross when he sees this," Hermione commented. "What a mess..."

"Good," Harry said. "Let's leave it for him then."

"We can't," Hermione said glaring at him.

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"We'll need to clean it up," Hermione said getting to her feet. "I think there's a broom somewhere around here..."

"But if we leave it, then everyone will be forced to realise what's going on," Harry replied.

"But-" Hermione started to protest.

"You know I'm right," he said with a smirk.

"You might have a point," Hermione begrudgingly admitted.

"Just say you know I do," Harry said in a condescending tone.

"No," Hermione said stubbornly.

The way he grinned at her made her want to slap the smile right off his face.

"We still have to finish patrolling," Hermione said breezing past him.

"Fine," Harry said enjoying how angry she was.

"You think your godfather would have taught you manners or at the very least humility," Hermione said walking out of the classroom.

"I've been told my manners are top notch," Harry said, not bothering to put the cloak back on.

"By whom?" Hermione asked sarcastically. "A Neanderthal?"

"Funny, Granger." Harry quipped.

Hermione sighed. "Ron's a prefect, did you know that? Now ask me how many times the lazy git has done rounds?"

"He told me he does them first thing in the morning," Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. "No, he doesn't. I always end up having to do them because he's never awake on time. I don't know whose bright idea it was to make him prefect."

"Probably Dumbledore's," Harry answered. "You're calling the headmaster stupid?"

"Of course not!" Hermione exclaimed. "I just---I just don't understand how he was picked is all."

They rounded the corner and Hermione kept her pace one step quicker than Harry. The less time she had to spend with him, the better.

"So," Harry said conversationally. "How's come you're not Head Girl, Miss Top of the Class?"

"Because I refused the position in order to do this assignment, although now I wonder what I was thinking," Hermione answered.

"Can't be all that bad," Harry said with a grin. "You get to hang out with me.”

"Just what I always dreamed of," Hermione said sarcastically.

"And have you?" Harry asked her quickening his step to catch up with her. "Dreamed about me?"

"If I did, I'd classify it as a nightmare," Hermione said, trying to hurry away from him.

"You're not a good liar," Harry said grinning at her. "Not at all."

"Could it possibly occur to you that I'm not lying?" Hermione snapped, stopping again abruptly. "Could it also occur to you that ONE person on the face of the planet doesn't find you appealing in any way?"

Harry clutched at his heart. "You don't?"

"Look who got smart," she glared at him before turning away. He grabbed her arm.

"So," Harry said pulling her close. "You wouldn't be affected in the slightest if I told you that I've had dreams about you..."

"Of... of course it wouldn't," she stammered. "Why would you be dreaming about me anyway?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Harry asked leaning in.

"No," she shook her head.

"You're not the slightest bit curious?" he asked touching her cheek with his other hand.

"No," she said, swallowing hard.

"And if I were to kiss you now, it wouldn't affect you?" he asked putting his finger on her lips. "Even though I said I wasn't going to snog you again..."

"I don't want you to snog me again," Hermione said weakly.

"Really?" Harry asked softly.

She shook her head, but it wasn't very convincing.

"Because I wouldn't want to do anything," Harry said brushing his lips against hers ever so slightly. "That you didn't want me to do."

Hermione let out a tiny whimper that wasn't lost on him.

"Yes?" Harry asked her.

For the first time in her life, she felt truly incapable of speaking.

He had his answer and he kissed her so hard it nearly took her breath away.

5. Chapter 5

Due to a little mix up, some of you may have read the first part of this chapter already, but for those of you who haven’t, we think you’ll enjoy it! We introduce another few ‘potential’ couples here as well!

Please review and let us know what you think! Thanks guys!

Hermione resisted at first but couldn't help herself. Kissing him felt dangerous and exciting all at the same time.

He pressed her up against the wall without breaking their kiss.

She purred deep in her throat as her hands fisted in his hair.

His hand snaked around her waist and under her shirt. Harry knew he was pushing his luck but he had to touch her.

His hands were warm on her skin as she pushed her body against his.

"Merlin," he murmured against her skin.

"Uh huh," she answered breathlessly as she crashed her lips back to his.

He was emboldened by what she'd just done and he cupped her breast with his hand. He wanted her and from the way she was reacting, she wanted him just as badly.

Hermione's breath was coming in short, fast gasps as Harry touched her. "Please," she tore her mouth from his.

Harry's own breath was ragged as he looked into her brown eyes. "Do you have any idea what you're doing to me?"

"No," she said, her voice shaky. "I don't know anything right now..."

"Isn't the prefect's bathroom somewhere around here?" Harry asked his hands still on her waist.

"Yes," Hermione managed.

"Show me," he said giving her another kiss.

Practically unable to break apart, the two of them stumbled down the corridor.

Harry was already working on the buttons of her shirt when they practically stumbled into the prefect's bathroom.

"Well, well, well," Malfoy drawled from the large tub.

The two of them broke apart and Hermione gasped. "Malfoy?"

"Mudblood," Draco said with a cocky grin. "Scarhead. Isn't this...interesting..."

"What are you doing out past curfew?" Hermione demanded.

Draco laughed and looked at Hermione's open shirt. When she saw what he was doing, she scrambled to cover herself.

"Well, if Parkinson ever gets here, we'll be doing what you and Scarhead were about to do," Malfoy replied.

"Fuck off," Harry glared at him. "You aren't supposed to be here?"

"And why not?" Malfoy asked haughtily. "I am a prefect, after all, unlike you Scarhead."

Hermione put a hand on Harry's arm. "You're not supposed to use this for your own...pleasures, Malfoy. That's an abuse of your power."

"Again, I ask what you and Potty were about to do?" Malfoy asked with a smirk, rising out of the water.

"That's none of your business," Hermione spat at him averting her eyes.

"No wonder Parkinson isn't here," Harry remarked. "That wouldn't be worth her time, would it?"

Malfoy's smile fell and he glared at Harry before wrapping a towel around his waist. "Probably better than yours."

"I've not had any complaints," Harry said smugly.

"Probably not, if they're all inexperienced like the Mudblood here," Draco said icily.

Harry lunged for him. "What did I say would happen to you if you called her that again?"

Malfoy shoved him away. "Don't fucking touch me Potter. I'm a prefect and I'll have you in detention so fast you'll--"

"You do and I'll tell the Headmaster what you've been using this room for," Hermione interjected. "You keep quiet and we'll keep quiet, Malfoy."

Malfoy sneered at her. "Fine." he said. "Now get the hell out of here."

"Fine," Hermione said reaching for Harry's arm.

The two of them raced out of the bathroom and were almost back to the Gryffindor Common Room when Hermione suddenly burst into laughter.

"What?" Harry asked. "What's so funny?"

"Malfoy," Hermione leaned against the wall to collect herself. "Who'd have thought he'd be so... so um... UN endowed?"

Harry started to laugh too. "No wonder he's the way he is."

"He's obviously very frustrated," Hermione wiped her eyes.

Harry smiled at her. "Kind of like how I am right now because we didn't get to..."

Hermione blushed. "That sort of happened kind of fast..."

"Kind of," Harry said brushing some hair behind her ear.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him again, but more chastely this time.

"You know," he said softly. "This is the first night I've been here where I actually wanted to be here."

"I think it's the first time I've wanted you to be here too," she said with a grin.

"So, I guess this means you ARE attracted to me," Harry said grinning back at her.

"A little," she confessed. "But you're also attracted to ME."

"I thought that was obvious," Harry said giving her another kiss.

"We should get inside," Hermione said softly several minutes later when they pulled apart.

"Right as usual," Harry said taking her hand.

"Thanks for coming with me tonight," she said once they were in the common room. "I'll um... I'll start researching those potion ingredients tomorrow."

"Let me know what you find out," Harry said nodding. "I'll...I'll see you at breakfast."

"Right," Hermione said, not moving away. "At breakfast..."

"Breakfast," Harry repeated leaning in.

Hermione closed her eyes as he kissed her again, nearly lifting her right off her feet.

"Sweet dreams," Harry said grinning at her when they pulled apart.

"You... you too..." she said before heading up her staircase.

Harry lingered for a few minutes in the common room trying to come up with a viable reason for what had just happened.

He couldn't just pass this off as only a physical attraction, not this time. He liked being with her and he was finding himself thinking about her far often than he needed to.

Upstairs, she was thinking the exact same thing as she pulled her pyjamas on. As Hermione slipped under the covers, she thought working with Harry Potter might not be so bad after all.

*** *** ***

Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood sat in their History of Magic class both not really paying attention to what their professor was saying. Ginny was doodling on a piece of parchment and as Luna looked over at her friend she spotted something along the lines of "Ginny loves Harry" and "Mrs. Ginny Potter". Luna didn't have the heart to tell her friend that this was a lost cause. She'd seen Harry Potter and Hermione Granger snogging earlier that morning.

Ginny threw her quill down and sighed. "Why does this class have to be so boring?" she whispered.

"It would be more interesting if he taught about things that aren't in this textbook," Luna whispered back. "Things that no one wants you to know. My father just started a series of stories on----"

"I wonder what Harry does during this class," Ginny interrupted her. "I bet he zones out too."

"Maybe," Luna said absently. "Ronald falls asleep during this class. He told me so."

Ginny made his face. "My brother is such a nerd. You should see him in front of Phlegm, my sister in law."

"You're not still calling her that, are you?" Luna asked. "She's very nice, Ginny."

"She is not," Ginny snorted.

Luna stared at her. "I thought it was very romantic how she stood by Bill even after what happened. That's true love."

"Like I've stood by Harry," Ginny nodded. "I wish he'd appreciate me back. Instead he acts all superior and he goes around with that hag Hermione Granger all the time now."

Luna sighed. "Well, you do have Dean Thomas. And he really cares about you, Ginny."

"He's just there to pass the time with," Ginny waved her hand.

"Pass the time with?" Luna asked.

"Until Harry wises up," Ginny picked her quill up again.

Luna could only shake her head at this. But she couldn't really say anything given the fact that she was still holding out hope that Ron would one day look at her differently.

"So what happened to your hand?" Ginny asked, nodding at the bandage.

"I dropped my juice glass this morning," Luna replied. "You know how clumsy I can be."

"I do know," Ginny nodded. "Sometimes I cut myself and I don't even know how I do it." she showed Luna her wrist. "I don't even know where this happened... but I woke up with a scrape this morning."

"That's pretty bad," Luna said studying her friend's arm. "You should put some essence of Murtlap on that."

Ginny pulled away. "I'll be fine. I was thinking of asking Harry what he would do."

Luna didn't think that was a good idea, but she kept it to herself. Thankfully, the class ended shortly after that and the two girls headed for the Great Hall.

"I'm starving," Luna admitted.

"Me too," Ginny replied. "I hope Harry comes to lunch today."

"He probably will," Luna said softly. "Maybe I'll sit at the Gryffindor table today, if that's okay with you."

Ginny only shrugged. "I guess that's fine."

Ginny and Luna settled down at the Gryffindor table and while Luna loaded her plate with food, Ginny kept looking around for any sign of Harry.

"I'm going to miss Hogwarts food when we graduate next year," Luna said to her.

"There he is!" Ginny exclaimed hitting her friend on the arm excitedly. "Okay...okay...be cool..."

Luna looked over and was pleasantly surprised to see Ron accompanying Harry.

"Brilliant," Ron said sitting down beside Luna. "I was hoping we'd be having this."

Luna blushed. "I was just saying how much I'd miss the food here once I graduated."

"I don't even want to think about that," Ron said before stuffing his mouth with a bread roll.

"You can sit by me," Ginny said patting the empty space beside her. "Harry..."

"I'm fine over here," he said. "Besides, Hermione will be here soon and I have to talk to her about... something."

"That's still going on then?" Ginny asked icily.

Harry looked over at her. "What?"

"Nothing," Ginny muttered.

"Harry's head over heels for her," Ron confided. "I think she's got him under a love potion."

"I'm not head over heels for anyone," Harry said defensively. And for good measure he gave Ginny a pointed look. "Anyone."

Ginny gave him a nasty look before returning to her meal.

"I'm sure you're both excited about Quidditch tryouts," Luna said conversationally.

"Why would I care about that?" Harry asked spooning some beef stew onto his plate.

Ron laughed. "You're the captain."

Harry pressed his lips together. He did indeed love Quidditch, but he hadn't had the chance to play in quite some time. "Great, another thing I have to deal with," he muttered.

"Tryouts are this afternoon," Ron said. "The sign-up sheets were in the common room."

"Maybe you can do it without me," Harry replied.

"Are you kidding me?" Ron asked him. "You have to be there, mate."

Harry looked up as Hermione entered the Great Hall. A memory of last night crossed his mind and he grinned at her.

Hermione smiled back at him and made her way over to the Gryffindor table. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hey," he said. "I need to have a word with you..."

"I bet you don't do much talking," Ron said. Hermione hit him on top of the head. "OW!"

"Don't hit my brother," Ginny said rudely to Hermione.

Hermione glanced over at Ginny. "He knows I meant no harm."

"No he doesn't," Ginny stood up, her eyes narrowing.

"Ginny--" Ron protested, but she ignored him.

"You come around here and act as if you're some sort of queen," Ginny spat. "You treat everyone like dirt and expect us to revere you or something."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. Where was this coming from? "I don't treat everyone like dirt, Ginny."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Of course you do."

"If this is about Harry, you really are blowing things out of proportion," Hermione said.

"Ginny, what happens in my life doesn't concern you," Harry said coolly. "I've made that perfectly clear."

"But, we were good together," Ginny said pouting at him. "You have to remember that."

He wanted to tell her no, actually he didn't. "I highly doubt I was myself around you," he told her instead.

"This thing with her has come out of nowhere," Ginny argued. "She's not going to make you happy."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, the monster inside me has come out, but not for you and you hate it don't you?"

Ginny's lower lip trembled and she grabbed her bag. "I'm going to go and find Dean! He cares about me."

Ron watched his sister as she stomped out of the Great Hall. "You were a little harsh with her mate."

"And you don't think she was a little harsh with Hermione?" Harry countered.

"No I don't," Ron crossed his arms. "Look I know she can be annoying, but she's my sister, and you're my best mate. If you want to put up with me, then you'll have to put up with her sometimes."

"Fine," Harry said quietly. "I'll apologise to her the next time I see her. Happy now?"

"A little," Ron glared at Hermione before sitting back down next to Luna, who seemed a little out of it.

"We'll be right back," Harry said taking Hermione's arm. "Did you find out anything?" he asked her once they were out of earshot.

"Get this," Hermione said in a low voice. "All the books on potions are missing from the library. Madam Pince is going to notify me once they discover where they are."

"Every single one?" Harry asked incredulously.

Hermione nodded. "Even the ones from the Restricted Section."

"Interesting," Harry said thoughtfully. "Word is that Snape was very angry when he walked into his classroom this morning."

"I wonder why," Hermione said, but her sarcastic tone was missing in action.

"I've no idea," Harry said with a grin. He was tempted to kiss her, but thought that it would be best to focus on the case right now. "Sirius couldn't trace any floo connections out of the castle on the night that Ernie was attacked. Not a one."

"I guess that means the attacker is here..." Hermione mused as they mindlessly walked down the corridor together. "A student, or a teacher... or else the culprit knows how to get in and out from the secret passages."

"Still doesn't explain why we found soot in the library," Harry reminded her. "Unless it's an after effect of this secret potion."

"Once I can get my hands on a book, I'll look into it," Hermione promised. "I already checked our textbook for the class, but there was nothing."

"We actually have quite a library at home," Harry said suddenly. "I'd have to talk to Dumbledore, but maybe he'd let us leave the grounds to do research."

"You have your own library?" Hermione asked her eyes bright.

"Of course," Harry replied. "You'll love it."

Hermione grinned excitedly. "I can't wait!"

"I'll ask Dumbledore," Harry said looking on in amusement at how enthusiastic Hermione was about this.

She squeaked and before he realised it, she'd pulled him to her and kissed him hard on the mouth.

Even after everything that had happened last night, he was taken aback by what she'd just done. But, he quickly got over his surprise and deepened their kiss.

Hermione wound her arms around his neck and pressed her body against his.

"Just what I wanted for lunch," Harry said when they broke apart for air.

"I'm not so hungry anymore either," she confessed.

"No?" Harry asked nuzzling her neck.

"Not for food," Hermione closed her eyes again.

"Maybe while we're at my house," Harry said in between kisses. "We... can.... check... out... some of the other rooms."

A thrill shot through her at his words. "Maybe," she agreed.

Harry gave her another kiss. "Okay."

"We should get to class," she murmured.

"Or we could just snog some more," Harry suggested.

"You are a horrible influence on me," Hermione teased him.

"But you like it," Harry said taking her hand. "Let's just go and get our things and I'll let you walk me to class."

"You're so courteous," she replied wryly.

"That's your good influence on me," Harry said with a grin.

"Yeah right," Hermione smiled back at him. It was amazing really. One day ago they were at each other's throats and he was ready to walk out of the castle and never return. And now today... everything was so different.

All eyes seemed to be on them when they walked back into the Great Hall. "Maybe if we told them about Malfoy's shortcomings, they'd have something else to talk about," Harry whispered in Hermione's ear.

She giggled. "Let them stare..."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I'm going to go and ask Dumbledore about our field trip. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Hermione smiled at him and went to collect their things.

Ron glared at her. "I bet you enjoyed that, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You might have him snowed, but I know exactly what you're doing," Ron said angrily.

"Ronald," Luna admonished.

"Is it so hard to believe that a bloke might like me for me?" Hermione asked him coolly.

"Frankly, yes," Ron replied.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper answer."

"You're boring and you have frizzy hair and your idea of a good time is to read a book," Ron argued.

"And your best friend fancies me," Hermione said getting into his face. "And you can't take it."

"Because I know you did something," Ron snapped. "You're slipping him love potion to make him fall for you because you know he'd never want you on his own."

Without even thinking, Hermione slapped him.

A collective gasp went around the Great Hall as Hermione grabbed her things and rushed out of the room.

Luna gave Ron a disappointed look before she too grabbed her belongings and left the Great Hall.

Ron was still rubbing his cheek when Harry came back to the table.

"Mate, have you seen Hermione?"

"That stupid bint?" Ron glared at him. "Yeah she smacked me and ran out of here."

Harry folded his arms. "What did you say to her?"

"Nothing!" Ron exclaimed.

"Right," Harry said grabbing his books. "Remember what you told me about Ginny? The same goes for Hermione. If you want to be my friend, you'll have to deal with her."

"But..." Ron protested. "Harry she's--"

"With me," Harry finished. "And you are in charge of tryouts tonight. I have something else planned."

Ron's eyes widened. "But Harry, I'm not the captain!"

"Today, you are," Harry said. "I trust your judgment. I hope you can trust mine about Hermione."

Ron looked over at him doubtfully. Filling the role of Quidditch captain was a dream come true for him.

"You live, eat and breathe the game," Harry told him. "Who better to pick a team? Besides, with everything that's going on, I wouldn't be able to give it my full attention today. You'd be doing me a favour."

Ron now felt guilty for thinking such bad thoughts about his best friend. "Thanks Harry," he said. "I appreciate it..."

"All I ask is that you ease up on Hermione," Harry said.

"You really like her?" Ron asked, squinting at him.

He hadn't admitted this to anyone, but the more he thought about it, the more he knew that he did like her. "She's not like anyone I've ever met," Harry said honestly.

"I'll say," Ron muttered. "But I guess if you fancy her... she can't be ALL bad."

"She's not," Harry said grinning as he thought about what they'd done just outside the Great Hall a few minutes ago. "I need to catch up to her. I'll see you in class, mate."

"Okay," Ron watched as he hurried away.

Since he had a few minutes, Ron took out a piece of parchment and started writing down things he wanted to go over for the tryouts. He knew this was just a one-day assignment but he was really looking forward to it.

Harry figured Hermione would have already headed toward the greenhouse where their next class was. Sure enough, he found her there, reading.

"I got the go ahead from Dumbledore," he sat down next to her. "We're going this weekend."

"Great," Hermione said turning away from him.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Something wrong?"

"Ronald Sodding Weasley," Hermione said coolly.

"Oh," Harry nodded. "Yeah I just put him in charge of Quidditch tryouts so we can work tonight."

"You gave up tryouts?" Hermione asked in surprise.

"I haven't played Quidditch in awhile," Harry said. "Ron lives for it."

"I slapped him," Hermione admitted.

"You slapped him?" Harry asked in shock.

"He made some shite remark about me slipping you a love potion and that you'd never like me on your own," Hermione said looking down at her lap.

"Well we know that's not true," Harry said softly.

"I'm not slipping you a love potion," Hermione said looking up at him.

"I know that," Harry told her. "Hermione you wouldn't do something like that."

"No one thinks this makes sense," Hermione said softly.

"Who cares?" Harry asked as he slid an arm around her. "I don't."

"I don't either," Hermione said leaning against him.

"Good," he kissed the side of her head.

"So," Hermione said. "Tell me more about your home."

"It's great," Harry said eagerly. "We're really close to Diagon Alley, and we've got loads of rooms."

"Is it true that the Order of the Phoenix had its headquarters there?" Hermione asked.

"How did you know about that?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled at him. "I know everything."

"I'll say," Harry grinned back. "I'm impressed."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you."

Harry leaned in and kissed her. "That was not due to a love potion," he said.

"Imagine what I would get if I actually gave you one," Hermione teased.

"Do we want to find out?" he joked.

Hermione shook her head. "Probably not."

Harry kissed her again. "So fill me in- what's going on in this class?"

"Herbology," Hermione told him. "And believe it or not, Neville actually gets better marks than me in this course."

"Neville?" Harry asked. "That one bloke who's really quiet?"

Hermione nodded. "He's just shy. Once you get to know him, he's really sweet."

"He seems nice enough," Harry said thoughtfully. "I guess it's a good thing I've gotten to know a few people..."

"You know I never thought how strange this must be for you," Hermione said. "All these people have these memories of you and you just go with it."

"Kind of have to," Harry shrugged. "And at least I have you to explain things to me. I know they didn't implant memories with you."

"No, we get to make our own," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I think we have, already." Harry replied huskily.

"Harry?" she asked him.

"Yeah?"

Hermione blushed. "I-I think there's something you should know about me."

"What's that?" he asked.

"I've never," Hermione stammered. "I've never..."

"Never what?" Harry was confused.

Hermione looked over her shoulder to make sure they were the only ones in the room. "I've never had sex," she said quickly, her cheeks turning a bright red. "And I just thought you should know in case you were thinking that because of what I wore the other night to meet Viktor..."

Harry looked at her for a moment. "And here I've been talking about it all the time..."

"I just thought you should know," Hermione said quietly.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "Look I'm not a pushy guy--"

"I know," Hermione said putting her hand on his arm. "I just wanted you to know is all..."

"Okay," he replied.

"Have you?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he answered. "Um... a few years ago."

"How old were you?" Hermione asked.

"Fifteen," he answered.

She didn't know why she needed to know, but she couldn't help it. "It's none of my business, I'm sorry..."

"It wasn't special or anything," Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "It was just some girl..."

"Oh," Hermione said quietly. She couldn't imagine doing something as major as that with someone she didn't care about, but she supposed that was one of the many things that were different about men and women.

"So when does this class start?" Harry abruptly changed the subject.

"One," Hermione replied.

"What's it all about?" he asked, leaning against the wall.

"Well, Herbology is the study of magic plants and fungi," Hermione answered. "And we're all really preparing for our N.E.W.T. Surely you must have studied this with your godfather..."

Harry shrugged. "Never really needed to know about it."

"Do you mind if I ask what your godfather actually taught you?" Hermione asked curiously.

"He taught me everything I need to know about being an Auror," Harry answered. "To defend myself, to take care of myself..."

"But you should know about things like Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures," Hermione argued. "And Potions..."

"I've gone my entire life without needing those things," Harry interrupted. "And I'm fine."

"Do you ever wish that you would have come here sooner?" Hermione asked. "I mean, of your own free will?"

"No," Harry answered honestly. "I love living with Sirius."

Hermione nodded and looked thoughtfully at him. She wondered how things would have been if he had started Hogwarts at 11.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," Hermione replied.

Harry sat back again and stretched his legs out. "Do you still have to go to Hogsmeade this weekend?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said lowering her voice as some of their fellow students were not coming into the greenhouse. "With the research trip to your house..."

"That's on Sunday," Harry also lowered his voice. "Is that when the trip into the village is?"

"No, we go to Hogsmeade on Saturdays," Hermione said. "The carriages usually leave just after breakfast and we get to stay all afternoon."

"We could do both then," Harry said thoughtfully. "Are you going to wear that dress again?"

"You are obsessed with that dress," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I'm more obsessed with the woman who wears it," Harry said, his green eyes lighting up as he leaned in.

"Class is about to start," Hermione said softly.

"Your point?" he drawled.

A smile played on her lips. "Okay, but be quick about it..."

"Quick?" Harry teased. "I'm never quick."

Hermione relented to a kiss and forgot momentarily that there was anyone else in the room as she let herself relax in his arms.

Professor Sprout cleared her throat. "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger...."

They broke apart to see everyone in the greenhouse was staring at them. "Sorry Professor," Hermione blushed hard.

"It's okay," Professor Sprout said with an amused grin. "I was young and in love once many, many years ago."

"In love?" Harry asked, pulling away. He liked this girl, sure, but he definitely wasn't in love with her!

Hermione noticed Harry's reaction and she hastily opened her textbook again.

"Harry's in luuuuuuuuuurve," Seamus called out from behind him.

"Sod off wanker," Harry glared at him as Professor Sprout started the lesson.

Throughout the rest of the lesson, Harry barely looked at Hermione and she tried to play it just as cool as he did. She was relieved when Professor Sprout called on her and Neville to demonstrate the correct way to plant Screechsnap.

"Hi Hermione," the shy Gryffindor said.

"Hi, Neville," Hermione said warmly. "You can go first."

"I hope I do this right," Neville said nervously as he donned a pair of dragonhide gloves.

"Don't use to much of the manure," Hermione whispered. "They wriggle and squeak when you use too much."

"Thanks," Neville said as he gently set the plant down into the pot.

"Well done, Mr. Longbottom," Professor Sprout said proudly.

"Thank you Professor," Neville said, blushing in pride. He shot a grateful smile at Hermione.

"And how long before we should see some growth?" Professor Sprout asked Hermione.

"Three to four days," Hermione answered. "With a liberal amount of water, you should see full growth in about one to two weeks. It's one of the fastest growing plants..."

Harry tuned out the lesson as he thought about what Professor Sprout had said. Did he really act like he was in love with Hermione? It was true that his hormones seemed to race out of control when he was around her but he thought that was just due to physical attraction.

"Have you shagged her yet?" Seamus asked tapping him on the shoulder.

"Huh?" Harry asked.

"Hermione," Seamus said motioning to the front of the class where the brunette was reciting some of the properties of Screechsnap.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Not that it's any of your business but no."

"Everyone seems to think you are," Seamus said.

"I don't care," Harry commented.

"So, it's serious," Seamus said with a grin. "Let's hope you last longer than Ron and Lav did this last time."

Harry rolled his eyes. "What's it to you?"

Seamus was going to answer, but Hermione had just returned to her seat.

"Nice job," Harry said. He didn't want Hermione to think he hated her but he wondered if perhaps he was moving too fast for them.

"Thanks," Hermione said smiling at him. "But it was mostly Neville."

"It was nice of you to help him," Harry slid down in his seat.

Hermione shrugged. "He's my friend."

Harry nodded. "Do me a favour?"

"What?"

"Wake me up when class is over?" he grinned at her.

Hermione laughed. "What's in it for me?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Harry replied.

"Okay," she said smiling at him. "I'll wake you up when class is over."

"Thanks," Harry said, closing his eyes.

The rest of the class went by fairly quickly and Harry caught up on the sleep he'd lost last night. Even though Hermione didn't condone sleeping through classes, she had to admit he did look quite cute when he slept.

"Hey," she finally nudged him as everyone began packing their things up.

"Hmmm," Harry murmured sleepily.

"Get up," she nudged him again.

He grinned lazily at her. "Do I have to?"

"I suppose you could sleep out here all night," Hermione said thoughtfully. "The mandrakes will wake you up... oh and because you probably don't know, they'll also kill you."

"I didn't know you cared," Harry said stretching his legs.

She sent him a smirk. "We should get to the library and see if Madam Pince has located those books yet."

"Okay," Harry said. "Good idea."

They were quiet as he followed her through the castle to the library. "I really hope she's found them," Hermione finally said.

"I wouldn't count on it," Harry said. "Our little friend from last night probably figures we'd try and find out what potion they were trying to make."

"How could they be two steps ahead of us like that?" Hermione sighed in frustration as the librarian saw them approach and shook her head. "Still nothing Madam Pince?"

"I'm afraid not, Miss Granger," Madam Pince said shaking her head. "Stealing books is a serious offence. When I find out who has done this, they will be punished to the fullest extent."

"I fully agree with you," Hermione nodded while Harry tried to hide his amusement. "Books are precious things--"

Madam Pince nodded. "I knew you'd understand, Miss Granger."

"Please keep me posted," Hermione begged. "And if I hear anything at all I'll come right here and let you know."

"Thank you, Miss Granger," Madam Pince said.

"Books are precious things?" Harry asked teasingly to Hermione.

"Shut up," Hermione blushed. "They are to me."

Harry was about to pull her into the broom cupboard when Neville came up behind them. "That was a really great class, wasn't it?"

"Huh?" Harry asked. "Oh uh... yeah Neville. You did a good job with that... plant thing."

"Thanks," Neville beamed at him. The three of them walked in silence and Neville looked like he wanted to say something but wasn't quite sure how to go about it. "Harry, could I have a quick word?" Neville finally asked.

"With me?" Harry looked surprised. "Um... yeah... sure."

"I'll catch up to you later," Hermione said to Harry.

"Okay," Harry watched her go. "So um... what's up?"

"Well, um, I was kind of wondering if I might ask you a question," Neville stammered. "You have much more experience with this than me and you even dated her, so I was thinking you might be the best person to come to about this..."

"About what?" Harry asked.

Neville looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was within earshot. "Well, say there was this bloke who fancied this girl and he was really shy when it came to girls and he was afraid he was going to say something wrong...'

"You talking about yourself?" Harry asked with a grin. "Who do you fancy?"

"Ginny," Neville admitted in a small voice.

"You like HER?" Harry's voice carried a bit. "Sorry..."

"You're okay with that, right?" Neville asked hastily.

"Of course I am," Harry looked at him strangely. "Why would I care if you fancied her?"

"You and Ginny were serious for quite a bit last year," Neville explained. "And I know she's been with Dean and then you and then Dean again, but I was kind of hoping that one day she might think of me differently."

"You should tell her then," Harry encouraged. He liked Neville- he was probably the most honest bloke he'd met since arriving here. "Whatever it was... I had with her, it's over. Completely over."

"I've tried to tell her, but she makes me nervous," Neville admitted.

"Why?" Harry asked curiously.

"Well," Neville said. "She's pretty and popular and she probably deserves better than me. What would she possibly see in me?"

"The only reason she'd deserve someone better than you is if you think you don't deserve her," Harry said bluntly. "I think you should tell her how you feel."

"You think so?" Neville asked. "What if she rejects me?"

"That's the worst that could happen," Harry told him. "If she does, then I think she's an idiot."

Neville grinned. "Thanks, Harry."

Harry clapped him on the shoulder. "Good luck mate."

"She's in the common room," Neville said. "Would you come with me? I want to ask her if she'll go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend."

"Are you sure you want me there?" Harry asked hesitantly. "She's sort of pissed with me and it might distract her."

"I don't know if I can do this on my own," Neville said quietly.

"I'll stay in the common room," Harry offered.

"Thanks," Neville said gratefully. "You're a great friend, Harry. Thanks."

Harry grinned back at him. He'd keep in touch with this guy after leaving the school.

In the Gryffindor common room, Ginny was sitting with Natalie McDonald. "Dean and I are completely over," Ginny was telling her friend. "Completely over."

"Why?" Natalie asked. "I thought everything was going well for you two?"

"It was more of a rebound thing," Ginny said thoughtfully. "From Harry..."

"You've had quite a few rebounds," Natalie commented. "Since Harry, you had Michael Corner. Terry Boot. Justin Finch-Fletchley..."

"Yeah, yeah..." Ginny interrupted her. "But Dean was so annoying. He would always try and push me through doors and stuff, and say he was being a gentleman. It was like I couldn't do anything on my own!"

"I always thought that was kind of nice," Natalie said. "Most blokes don't do stuff like that, Ginny."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Well I find it annoying."

Natalie shook her head. "I'm going to head upstairs to work on my essay. You coming?"

"No," Ginny said. "I don't have any homework so I'm just going to stay here and read for a bit." she held up her copy of the newest Witch Weekly.

"See you," Natalie said giving her friend a wave before heading upstairs.

Harry stood back and practically pushed Neville toward the red-haired girl. "You can do it, Nev. Be brave."

Neville swallowed hard. "You won't leave, right?"

"I'll be right back here," Harry promised.

"Thanks," Neville cleared his throat and went over to the sofa where Ginny was sprawled. "Hi Ginny," he squeaked.

Ginny looked up from her magazine. "Oh, hello, Neville."

"Um... how are you?" Neville asked, clearing his throat again.

"I'm okay," she replied looking quizzically at a fashion spread on dress robes for winter. She held it up for Neville to see. "Do you think I'd look pretty in that one?"

Neville blushed. "Oh yeah," he answered. "I think you'd look beautiful."

"I'd never have the money for something like that, but I was going to see if my mum could make me something like it," Ginny said thoughtfully. "Royal blue is one of my favourite colours."

Neville nodded. "You've always looked nice in blue." he said shyly.

Ginny smiled at him. "Thanks, Neville.'

"So um..." Neville twisted his hands together. "The reason I came over um... I just uh... well..."

Ginny looked properly at him. "Are you okay? You look a little pale..."

"I'm fine," he said nervously. "Um I just wondered, I know you're with Dean and all--"

"No, I'm not," Ginny interjected.

He stared at her in surprise. "You're not?"

Ginny nodded. "We're better off as friends."

"Oh," Neville nodded. "Well um, I totally understand if you say no, but I thought um... perhaps maybe... that uh... youwanttogotoHogsmeadeSaturdaywithme?" he asked very quickly. He wiped his sweaty palms on his robes and looked anxiously at her.

"I'm sorry?" Ginny asked peering at him. "I didn't catch that?"

"Do you um... want to go to Hogsmeade with me on Saturday?" Neville asked his face even paler than before.

Ginny was more than a little taken aback by his question. She'd gone with him to the Yule Ball her third year, but that was mainly because she'd wanted to go not because she'd fancied him. "Um..."

"You don't want to," Neville's whole body seemed to deflate. "It's okay- I just thought I'd ask..."

"I-I didn't say that," Ginny said reaching for his arm.

He stopped when her fingers touched her arm. Neville opened his mouth to say something but he had a huge lump in his throat.

He was cute, she had to admit. And he had always been nice to her. "I think I'd like to go to Hogsmeade with you, Neville."

He stared at her for a long moment. "You would?"

"Sure," Ginny said smiling at him. "I think it'd be nice."

Neville kept staring at her. "You're serious?" he asked. "You really want to?"

Ginny giggled. "Yes, Neville. I really want to."

"Wow," Neville said as he grinned. "This is great, Ginny. This is going to be a lot of fun."

Ginny leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll see you at dinner, Neville."

Neville touched his cheek and nearly floated out of the room. Harry watched the whole exchange with an amused grin.

"That was really nice of you," Ginny heard a voice and looked up to see Harry standing by the sofa.

"You heard that?" Ginny asked.

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Neville's a nice guy. I think it's cool you're giving him a chance."

"I don't think I could have lived with myself if I turned him down," Ginny said softly. "He's sweet."

"Look," Harry said. "I wanted to apologise for earlier today. I was a bit off at breakfast and I shouldn't have been nasty with you."

"I might have overreacted a bit," Ginny begrudgingly admitted.

Harry nodded. "I hope you have fun on Saturday."

"You too," Ginny said giving him a slight smile. "I'd better get ready for Quidditch tryouts. Ron will have my head if I'm not there on time."

"Good luck," Harry replied.

"Thanks," Ginny said grabbing her magazine. "See you, Harry."

He made his way upstairs to the 7th year dormitory and grinned when he saw Neville. "So she said yes, aye?"

Neville was still grinning from ear to ear. "I still can't believe she actually did. You heard her, right? I wasn't just imagining it?'

"Nope," Harry clapped him on the back. "Congratulations mate. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun."

"I owe it all to you," Neville said. "I wouldn't have been able to do it without you."

"Yes you would," Harry answered.

"I bet you've never had trouble with girls," Neville said sitting down.

Harry snorted. "You'd lose that wager."

"No way," Neville said.

"I've had more trouble than you know," Harry lay back on his bed and looked up at the hangings. "More than you know..."

6. Chapter 6

We’re so glad you guys are enjoying this story! A lot of you were asking about H/Hr’s visit to Grimmauld Place and you get that in this chapter. Let’s just say things are heating up… FAST!

Please don’t forget to review!! Thanks again for all your responses so far!

"Amazing," Hermione breathed, looking into the library at Grimmauld Place. It had floor to ceiling shelves of books- it almost looked bigger than the Hogwarts library. "Harry this is ALL yours?"

"Mine and Sirius'," Harry replied curtly.

"It's amazing," she repeated. "I don't think I've ever seen this many books!" she set her bag down on a table and continued to gaze around, moving her hands over the spines of the tomes stacked against the wall.

"Maybe someday Vicky can show you his library," Harry muttered. He'd had to endure her walking through Hogsmeade with that Bulgarian twat all afternoon. "That is if he can read..."

"What?" Hermione finally looked over at him. "Harry--"

He grabbed some books from the shelf and practically threw them down on the table.

"What on earth is wrong with you?" she asked. "You've been sullen since we left Hogsmeade."

"Oh, so you did notice that I was there?" Harry asked sarcastically.

"I told you, I had to try and find out if he knows what's going on at the school," Hermione explained.

Harry nodded. "You seemed to be enjoying yourself," he said glaring at her. He knew he was probably overreacting, but seeing her with Viktor had done something to him. And to make matters worse, it seemed as if the Bulgarian was deliberately goading him by finding excuses to touch Hermione the entire afternoon.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "You can't possibly be jealous," she stated.

"I'm not jealous," Harry said defensively.

"Then what is your deal?" She asked impatiently.

Harry sat down in one of the chairs and opened one of the books. "I just think that Viktor Krum is a dead end where this case is concerned. He doesn't know anything."

"I'm actually inclined to agree," Hermione replied, opening the book on top of the stack Harry had thrown on the table. "He was more interested in me than about anything going on at the school."

"For a smart girl you're a little slow on the uptake, Granger," Harry said.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You know, we're still working together as a team. You don't need to call me by my last name like you did when you were being a complete arse."

Harry grinned despite himself. "What if I like calling you, Granger?"

"Then I'll say you're a jerk," Hermione replied bluntly, now rather annoyed.

"Okay, okay," Harry said holding up his hands. "You're right, Hermione."

She rolled her eyes. "We should get to work."

"Right," Harry agreed. "How about you get started? I just wanted to go and say hello to Sirius. If he's even home, that is..."

"Fine," she said absently, already paging through a book.

Harry gave her one last look before heading out of the library. He called out for his godfather, but didn't get an answer. Sirius had known that he and Hermione would be coming over and Harry had expected his godfather to be here.

He found a letter in the kitchen that explained where Sirius was. He was out with Madam Rosmerta.

"Figures," Harry muttered. He got himself a drink before heading back to the library.

Hermione was already making notes and looked up when she saw Harry step back into the room. "I might have liked something to drink, too, you know."

"Here," Harry held his bottle of butterbeer out. "You can have this."

"Thank you," Hermione said taking the bottle from him. "So, um...did you find Sirius?"

"He's out with Madam Rosmerta," Harry sat down next to her. "We can wait until we get back to start working- he'll be able to help us."

"Well, how long will he be?" Hermione asked uncertainly.

"Few hours," Harry shrugged.

"Oh," Hermione said playing with her quill nervously.

Harry watched her for a few moments. "Are you all right?"

"I'm perfectly fine," Hermione replied.

"I have an idea," he said, grabbing her hand. "I'll show you around."

"Okay," Hermione said eagerly.

"I love this place," Harry said. "I know it doesn't look big from the outside but thanks to magic, it's actually huge."

Hermione smiled at him. "I think it's fantastic. The library alone..."

"That's nothing compared to our gym," Harry told her with a grin.

"I'd love to see it," Hermione said squeezing his hand.

All feelings of jealousy over Krum instantly evaporated in that one small gesture from her.

"Is it upstairs?" Hermione asked.

"It's actually right down the corridor," Harry said, leading her along.

Hermione was expecting a few weights and maybe a couple of machines, but what she saw made her jaw drop.

Along with an Olympic sized swimming pool, the room featured a racing track, punching bags and a full weight system in the corner.

"We could go for a swim?" Harry suggested.

Hermione squeaked in surprise. "I don't have a swim costume."

She was absolutely adorable when she was flustered like this, Harry thought.

"You don't need one," he said with a devilish grin.

Hermione flushed deeply. "I am not going in there naked with you."

Harry pulled an innocent face. "What do you think would happen?"

"I don't know and I'm not about to find out," she answered pertly.

"Coward," Harry teased.

"Sod off," Hermione threw over her shoulder. "I bet you're nothing spectacular to look at."

"You don't think so?" he asked.

Hermione only shrugged in response as she moved over to look at the weights.

He studied her for a few moments before walking over to join her.

"This really is a great gym," she remarked.

Harry smiled. "I spent most of my time in this room, actually."

"Couldn't tell just by looking at you," Hermione said in a lofty tone.

Harry glared at her. "I haven't had any complaints...."

It was her turn to tease him now. She shrugged and lifted one of the heavier weights off the stand.

Harry looked at her in amazement. "Nice, Granger...using magic..."

"This is all me, Potter," Hermione retorted. "I'm not some weakling female you know."

"Okay," Harry said thinking that two could play this game. He took off his shirt and tossed it aside.

Hermione averted her eyes from his muscular physique as he picked up weights in both hands and began to pump them.

"Do you do this at Hogwarts, too?" Harry asked her, still a little in awe that she was able to deftly handle the weights.

"No," she answered. "I work out during summer hols."

Harry nodded and kicked off his trainers and then unzipped his jeans.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked trying to sound as if she could care less.

"Going for a swim," Harry said with a grin.

He was baiting her now. "Have fun," Hermione raised her eyebrow.

He set his glasses down on the weight bench. "You know...you could join me..."

"Absolutely not," Hermione bit her lower lip as she took in his toned body. "I don't have a swim costume and you don't need to see me in my knickers."

"How do you know what I need?" Harry asked stepping closer.

"I just do," Hermione set the weights down and backed away. "Besides, I'm not here to use your pool. I'm here to use your library."

Harry smiled at her. "Okay, well, I guess you'll just have to watch then."

"No thank you," Hermione turned away. "I'm going to work."

"Just one swim, Hermione," Harry called after her. "What are you so afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid of anything," Hermione lied as he ran after her.

"Hey---" he said grabbing her arm.

"I just don't think it's a good idea," Hermione said, completely aware of how close she was to him and how little he was wearing.

"Temptation, you mean?" he asked.

"I wasn't saying that," Hermione's breath came in shallower gasps as he moved closer.

"We haven't been this close all day," Harry whispered cupping her face in his hands.

"I...I know..." she stammered.

He leaned in and lightly brushed his lips against hers. "I've been waiting all day to be alone with you."

"After earlier I didn't think you wanted to have anything to do with me," Hermione couldn't resist and leaned into him. "You do know I was only acting that way with Viktor to get information..."

"You're not with him now," Harry said pulling her even closer. "You're with me."

She swallowed hard. "Harry..."

"Yeah?"

"Why do we always seem to wind up like this?" she asked softly.

He shook his head. "I don't know, but every time I'm near you..."

"I know," Hermione answered. "It's almost like I can't control it."

"Do you want to?" Harry asked tugging at the hem of her shirt.

"Now?" her voice echoed loudly in the room.

"Come in the pool with me," he said softly. "I promise...I'll behave."

"Just a little while," Hermione relented.

"Need some help getting out of those clothes?" Harry asked eagerly.

She shot him a look. "Just get in the pool, Potter."

"Anything you say," Harry said before turning around and diving into the pool.

Hermione stepped out of her skirt and laid it neatly on the bench before unbuttoning her shirt. She dove in before Harry could turn around and see her.

When he surfaced at the other end of the pool, he was dismayed to see that she'd already jumped in. "Hermione..."

"What?" she asked innocently.

"Come here," he said crooking his finger at her. "You're too far away."

"Ask nicely," she teased.

"Please," Harry said rolling his eyes.

Hermione swam forward to the shallower end of the pool.

"Hi," he said smiling at her when she reached him.

"Hi yourself," Hermione returned.

He played with the strap of her bra. "I like this better than a swimming costume..."

She blushed. "It's not very comfortable..."

"No?" Harry asked looking into her brown eyes. "You know you could take it off..."

"Harry," she blushed even harder.

"I just want you to be comfortable," he said innocently.

"I can't be comfortable when you look at me like that," Hermione trembled even in the tepid water.

"You don't want me to look at you?" Harry asked pushing a strand of her damp hair over her shoulder.

"It's not that," Hermione looked away. "I told you before... I've never done this before. I've never even kissed anyone like I've kissed you."

"Hermione," he said tilting her chin so she'd look at him.

She couldn't even form words as she looked up into his eyes. It was one thing to tease him, but this was completely different.

"I want you," Harry said wrapping his arms around her.

Hermione couldn't deny she wanted him as well but still, no words would come.

There was so much more he wanted to say, but he was scared to voice them. This girl had completely turned things around and he wasn't so sure how he felt about that. But, he could think about that later. Right now, he was going to live in the moment.

Hermione could barely take the torment of being so close; she leaned in and pressed her mouth against his.

He didn't waste any time deepening the kiss as he turned her around and pressed her against the edge of the pool.

Hermione wound her arms around him, her eyes closing as their bodies entwined together.

"Hermione," he breathed against her neck.

"Yes..." she finally managed to say.

"Yes?" he asked looking at her intently.

"Just kiss me," she moaned, her long hair streaming out behind her in the water.

Harry did as he was told, kissing her with everything he had.

Her hands roamed everywhere, touching ever bare inch of him that she could find.

Harry reached around her and undid the clasp of her bra.

Hermione's breath came even faster than before at his actions.

He broke their kiss, but kept his eyes focused on hers as he slid the straps down her shoulders.

Part of her wanted to stop them, but the other part kept it quiet- she had never felt like this before and didn't want it to go away just yet.

Harry looked at her; his expression unreadable.

"What is it?" Hermione gasped. "Why did you stop?"

"You're beautiful," he said grinning at her.

"I am?" she asked softly.

He played with a strand of her hair. "Mmmhmm...."

She closed her eyes again as he kissed her. "You... are quite... dashing..." she managed between kisses.

"I thought you said I was a jerk," he teased.

"Can't a girl change her mind?" Hermione smiled at him.

"Absolutely," Harry said nearly losing it when she arched against him.

"Harry..." she let out a throaty moan that nearly undid both of them.

He wondered what their classmates at Hogwarts would think if they could see bookish, clever Hermione Granger like this. But, he was glad that she was sharing this part of her with him and him alone. "I'm trying very, very hard to control myself," he managed to choke out.

"Me too," she said, biting on her lower lip.

"Maybe we shouldn't fight it," Harry said his hands resting on her waist.

"Part of me really doesn't want to fight it," Hermione said. "But I've waited this long... I want it to be special. I want it to be with the man I will love for the rest of my life..."

There was nothing like complete honesty to kill the mood, Harry thought as he pulled away.

"Harry please don't be angry with me," she began.

"I'm not angry," he said which was partly true.

"I do like you very much," she said. "Far more than I thought I would when we first met."

He gave her a wry smile. "You were right. We shouldn't have gotten in here."

Hermione nodded and lifted herself out, not caring this time if he saw her in her knickers.

Harry followed suit and walked over to the closet and pulled out a couple of towels. "Here..." he said handing her one.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"No problem," he said quietly.

They dressed silently and headed back for the library. "We should really study what you have in there so we can get an idea of what's going on at the school," Hermione said. "I don't want to get the Ministry angry thinking we're doing nothing."

"The last thing I'd want to do is piss off Scrimgeour," Harry said sarcastically.

"I don't like him," Hermione shook her head. "But he's still the Minister."

"You realise that if we solve this case," Harry said. "He'll take all the credit. He always does. To listen to him, you'd think he was the one who killed Voldemort."

"I know," Hermione replied. "But what goes around comes around."

"Karma," Harry agreed. "One can only hope."

"Right," she said, sitting down. "We only have a few hours- would it be all right if I took a few of these back with me? I promise I'll be careful with them."

"Take whatever you like," Harry replied.

"Thank you," Hermione said her cheeks tingeing pink as he smiled at her.

"Harry?"

"Sirius must be home from his hot date," Harry said looking at his watch. "Early for him."

"He knew you'd be home," Hermione said, absorbed in a thick tome. "I think he misses you."

"I'll be back in a minute," Harry told her.

"All right," she said, turning a page.

Sirius was in the kitchen helping himself to a bottle of butterbeer when Harry walked into the room.

"Hey," he smiled at his godson. "Hard at work?"

"Hermione is," Harry replied.

"Shouldn't you be helping her?" Sirius asked.

"I am," Harry said defensively. "But she is the brains behind our partnership. I think she fell in love with our library."

"From the way she was looking at you the other day when she didn't think anyone would catch her, I think she's in love with you," Sirius pointed out.

Harry sighed and pushed past his godfather. "You've met her once, Sirius. How would you know?"

"I can tell," Sirius insisted. "And I think you're falling for her too."

"How much did you drink tonight?" Harry asked.

"Not that much, smart ass," Sirius replied.

"Speaking of love," Harry said eager to change the subject. "How about you and Rosmerta? You've been stringing her along for how long now?"

"Not so fast," Sirius waved his hand. "Harry, if you fancy this girl, you should go for it."

Hermione cleared her throat and both men turned to look at her. Harry wondered how much she'd actually heard.

"You have a great library, Mr. Black," Hermione said warmly.

"Thank you," Sirius smiled at her. "I'm glad someone's finally getting use out of it."

Harry smirked. "I've used the library, Sirius."

"Rarely," Sirius quipped. "Hermione, you are welcome here anytime. Consider it your personal library."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you, Mr. Black."

"I won't keep you two from your research," Sirius gave his godson a look. "But if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask."

"I actually may have found something," Hermione said holding out a piece of paper. "You remember those ingredients we found in the potions lab?"

"Yeah?" Harry answered. "What about them?"

"Well," Hermione explained. "I was looking through this second edition copy of Most Potente Potions and I came across a potion that this wizard used during the 17th century."

Harry scanned the page. "He used it to brew the Draught of the Living Death..."

"Which he used to try and harvest his victim's souls," Hermione continued. “That’s what the extra ingredients were for.”

"Their souls?" Harry asked. "Shite..."

"Brilliant," Sirius said smiling at her.

Hermione blushed from his praise. "Now we just have to find out who's doing this and why."

"We will," Harry said determinedly.

Hermione nodded. "I'm still going to borrow a few books- I want to do some research on this wizard."

"If you give me his name, I'll see if I can dig up something at the Ministry," Sirius offered.

"That's the only problem," Hermione frowned. "This wizard isn't referred to by name. They only say him, or he."

"Do they give you any indication as to where he's from or any other details?" Sirius asked.

"He was Romanian," Hermione answered, turning to the page in the book and showing it to Sirius.

"I'll see if Remus can come up with anything on what little we have to go on," Sirius said after scanning the page.

"That'd be great," Hermione replied. "I'll try to find something in the Hogwarts library."

"I'll owl you if I find out anything," Sirius promised.

"Thanks," Harry said. "Shall we get back to school before we're missed?"

"Listen to him," Sirius joked. "Now he wants to go back. What did you do to change his mind, Hermione?"

"Not sure," Hermione grinned. "I think he likes the food."

"I'm not so sure that's all it is," Sirius said with a pointed look at Hermione.

She blushed again as Harry glared at Sirius.

"Think about what I said, Harry," Sirius said clapping his godson on the back. "Good night, you two."

"It was nice seeing you again Mr. Black," Hermione said politely.

"Call me Sirius," Sirius told her. "And it was nice seeing you too. I have a feeling I'll be seeing more of you."

"I hope so," Hermione said, seemingly understanding his meaning

"Good night, Sirius," Harry said angrily.

Sirius grinned annoyingly at his godson and left the kitchen.

"We should probably get going," Harry said quietly.

"Sure," she agreed. "Are we um... getting back by Floo?"

Harry nodded. "Do you have everything?'

"I left my bag in the library," she answered.

"I'll give you a hand with the books," Harry offered.

"Thanks," she smiled at him. "I appreciate it."

"All part of me being dashing," he said with a grin.

"Stop teasing me," she nudged him.

"It's so much fun," Harry argued. "You fall for it every time."

"I'm not falling for anything," she said. "I do happen to think you're quite dashing."

"Well, don't tell anyone else," he told her. "I have a reputation to protect."

"I won't tell if you don't," Hermione grinned at him as he stopped and took her hand, pulling her closer.

"Hermione?"

"Yeah?" she asked softly.

"I'm sorry about earlier," he said. "I shouldn't have--"

"It's okay," she said. "I'm glad... I just... it's nice to know that at least one guy thinks I'm pretty."

"Beautiful," he corrected her. "I said you were beautiful."

She felt her knees go weak at his words. "No one's ever said that about me," she admitted. "Well, my parents, but they're kind of obligated."

Harry stroked her cheek for a moment before leaning in to kiss her.

Neither of them saw Sirius watching from the stairs.

Harry slid his arm around her waist and pulled her close, opening her lips under his and kissing her deeply.

She was a little light headed when they pulled apart. No one had ever made her feel this way.

"Come on," he said softly. "We should get back- we still have some rounds to do tonight."

Hermione nodded. "Right."

Sirius smiled as he watched his godson and Hermione walk away. Despite what Harry was saying, he had a sneaking feeling that Harry was falling for this girl.

*** *** ***

Harry awoke early Monday morning and for the first time since he'd been at Hogwarts, he was actually looking forward to going to class. He was about to head downstairs to the Great Hall when he spotted Neville in the common room.

"So how was the big date?" Harry asked his roommate. With everything that had been going on, he hadn't had a chance to ask Neville how the Hogsmeade trip with Ginny had gone.

Neville was still bubbling over with how well his date had gone. "Harry it was fantastic," he said happily."

"Really?" Harry grinned.

"She's such a fantastic girl," Neville replied enthusiastically.

"Where did you take her?" Harry asked, deciding not to comment on Neville's remark. He wasn't sure how to take the youngest Weasley.

"She wanted to go to Madam Puddifoots," Neville blushed.

"Ah, she's one of those girls," Harry said with a laugh. "And of course you went...."

"Yeah... didn't you take her there though while you were um... dating?" Neville asked.

"I don't really remember," Harry lied. "It's not really my kind of place, Nev."

"Of course," Neville fell into step beside him. "We just had a really nice time. And she said she'd like to go again sometime."

"That's great," Harry said hoping that this would mean Ginny was over her crush on him.

"I'm just rally glad you sort of pushed me into asking her out," Neville said. "I owe you a lot Harry. You've always been a good friend to me."

Harry smiled at him. He genuinely liked his fellow Gryffindor and was happy that things seemed to be working out for him.

"Potter," Malfoy drawled as he came up behind them. "And Longbottom....hmm....you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, Scarhead. First Granger and now this fat lump."

Harry's fist clenched. "Malfoy," he said coolly. "I could really say the same about you..." he looked disdainfully at the two large Slytherins that flanked the blond's sides.

Malfoy glared at him. "I bet the Mudblood helped you brew that potion, Longbottom. The one that got you in Ginny Weasley's knickers..."

Harry slammed him against the wall. "You'd best shut the fuck up Malfoy, before the whole school finds out about your... size and stature in things."

"Let go of me," Malfoy said through clenched teeth.

"Then stay out of my way," Harry said in a murderous tone.

"Don't worry," Malfoy said shoving Harry aside. "Crabbe...Goyle...let's get out of here."

"What was that all about?" Neville asked.

"He's a twat," Harry said shaking his head. "And he thinks he can insult people I care about and get away with it."

"Thanks for sticking up for me," Neville told him. "I appreciate it..."

Harry shrugged. "No problem."

The two boys walked into the Great Hall and Neville smiled when he spotted Ginny sitting with Natalie McDonald.

"I'll see you later Harry," Neville said over his shoulder. "Thanks again for everything!"

"See you," Harry said scanning the room for Hermione.

He spotted her near the front poring over one of the books she'd brought back from his library.

Hermione was making notes on a piece of parchment. She was dismayed to find that there was no known anecdote for this particular potion. She felt someone tapping on her shoulder. "Go away, Dennis. I don't know when he's going to be here and I'm not so sure he's going to want his photograph taken."

"I can tell you what sort of photograph I like having taken," Harry said in her ear.

Hermione blushed. "Harry..."

"Morning," he kissed the side of her neck. "Find anything out in there?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, but I'm thinking of asking Professor Snape if he knows anything about it."

Harry raised an eyebrow sceptically. "And I'm sure he'll be very forthcoming."

"I have to try," Hermione said closing the book and setting her notes aside. "How did you sleep last night?"

He'd experienced another rather erotic dream with her as the star, but didn't tell her that. "Fine," he answered instead, piling his plate with bacon and oatmeal.

"I had to endure endless questions from Lavender about why I was stringing along two of the most famous wizards in the world," Hermione said dramatically.

"Huh?" Harry asked quizzically.

"The apparent love triangle between you, me and Krum," Hermione replied.

"You have got to be kidding me," Harry rolled his eyes. "Now that Ron won't have anything to do with her, she's got to live through you."

"It's not that," Hermione said. "Lavender and Parvati live for drama of all kinds.”

"I see," Harry replied, his mouth full. "Oh, Dumbledore sent me a message. He wants us to fill him in on what we've learned."

"When?" Hermione asked.

"Soon as we have some free time," Harry answered. "I also think we need to make our rounds longer, spend some more time poking around at night."

"I was thinking that too," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"So tonight," Harry said, leaning in. "We'll poke around in some of those hidden corridors that no one usually goes in..."

Hermione shook her head. "I know what you're thinking."

"What?" Harry asked.

"I just think we should be professional during our rounds," Hermione said. "I mean, we would be hypocrites if we deducted points from other students for snogging when we'd be doing the same thing."

Harry smiled ruefully. "I suppose you're right... but that just means we'll have to find other times to do that."

"We're not doing anything now," Hermione said softly.

"I'm eating breakfast," Harry pointed out with a saucy grin.

"Oh," Hermione said with a shrug. "Okay then..."

"But you know," Harry said hastily as she rose up and he caught a glimpse of her legs. "I've eaten enough for now..."

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," Hermione said. "And the last thing I would want to do is deprive you of that."

"I can think of other things that are much more important," Harry said quickly.

"I can too," Hermione said enjoying herself. "Swimming, for one."

"If we had a pool here I might suggest that," Harry said. "But since there isn't one--"

"We'll have to make do," Hermione said motioning for him to follow her.

Curious, he slung his bag over his shoulder and willingly followed her out of the Great Hall.

She led him down the corridor and toward a supply closet that Filch used. "I know it's kind of dark," she apologised.

"I like it," he answered, opening the door.

Hermione looked over her shoulder to make sure no one had seen them before going inside. She grabbed Harry's tie and pulled him in with her.

"Hermione--" his words were cut off.

She'd dropped her bag and threw her arms around him kissing him before he could say anything else.

"Mmm," he said closing his eyes even though it was pitch black. Her passion and energy never ceased to amaze him.

"I think we're having that control problem again," Hermione said breathlessly.

"But at least this time we're not in a pool," he answered. "In very little clothing..."

Just the memory of that did something to Hermione and she pressed her body against his.

Harry grunted as she did that and slid his arms around her, his hands running through her hair.

"We haven't got much time," Hermione whispered.

"So we'd best make the most of it," Harry stroked her cheek before leaning in again.

"Right," Hermione said pressing her lips to his once more. It was hard to remember what life was like before he came to Hogwarts. He'd become so engrained in her everyday life. The more time she spent with him, the more she felt herself becoming attached. She'd heard what he and Sirius had spoken about last night.

Harry let his hand wander down her side and under her skirt.

She knew where he was heading and she grabbed his hand to stop him. "Wait..."

"What?" he asked breathlessly. "What's wrong?"

She rested her forehead on his. "I just think we should slow down is all...and Charms starts in just a few minutes."

"Right..." Harry said, trying to compose himself.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said smoothing her skirt down.

Harry didn't answer as he cracked the door open. "Coast is clear." he reported.

Hermione grabbed her bag and followed him out of the closet.

They headed down the deserted corridor towards the Charms classroom. Right before they came upon the classroom they saw something that made them stop short.

"Harry!" Hermione gasped. "That's Dean!"

7. Chapter 7

Authors' note: We want to thank you guys for the feedback we are getting on the story. This chapter finds Ron asking someone out and Harry trying to get to the bottom of what happened to Dean. We hope you enjoy the chapter and please let us know what you think!

"Shit!" Harry swore, kneeling down. "Hermione, go get Dumbledore. NOW!"

Hermione nodded and took off running to get the headmaster.

Harry quickly looked over Dean's still body. He was still alive, but just barely.

Only minutes passed before Hermione was back with Dumbledore but to Harry it felt like hours.

Dumbledore knelt down beside Harry. "Madam Pomfrey should be here shortly."

"We just came on him like this," Harry replied. "He's not dead, but he's barely breathing."

"Did you see him last night?" Dumbledore asked Harry.

"When we got back from Grimmauld Place," Harry nodded. "He... he was sort of upset about Ginny going out with Neville and he said he was going down to the common room for awhile."

"And that's the last you saw of him?" Dumbledore asked to which Harry nodded.

Madam Pomfrey arrived a few moments later. "Not another one, Headmaster."

"I'm afraid so Poppy," Dumbledore said gravely. "We'd best bring him to the hospital wing to stabilize his condition until a cure can be found."

"There's something in his hand," Hermione said spotting a piece of parchment. Harry reached for it. "It's a letter of some sort..."

"Let me see," Dumbledore held out his hand.

Harry handed it over.

"Dean, I really think we should talk," Dumbledore read aloud. "I know that you still love me, but I'm just so mixed up now. Meet me downstairs just outside the Great Hall this evening after curfew. Ginny."

"Ginny?" Hermione asked, horrified. "You don't think she could--"

"She doesn't seem the type," Harry said. "But just the same..."

The headmaster looked weary for the first time in all the time Hermione had known him. "Sir?" she asked. "I um... I think I might know what's making these people so comatose."

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asked.

"The night that Professor Snape's potions room was vandalised, I made a list of everything that was stolen or broken. And then when I was in the library at Grimmauld Place, I discovered that they were the ingredients for the Draught of the Living Death."

"That would certainly explain quite a bit, but if it was just that, we'd be able to help them," Dumbledore said thoughtfully.

"Here's the list I came up with," Hermione handed it to him.

Dumbledore took it from her. "I need to inform Mr. Thomas' parents about what has happened and then I'll go over this, Miss Granger. For now, you and Harry should get to class."

"Right," Harry took Hermione's hand.

"I can't believe this happened to Dean," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Yeah," Harry mused. "Dean wasn't a bad guy."

"Don't talk about him in the past tense," Hermione said quietly. "We're going to find a way to help him and Padma and the others, Harry."

Harry nodded. "Definitely."

They walked into their Charms classroom which was already underway. Professor Flitwick gave them both flack over it.

"We're sorry Professor," Hermione apologised. "If you talk to Professor Dumbledore--"

"Just have a seat, Miss Granger," Professor Flitwick said.

"Lovebirds," Ron joked as Harry walked past him.

Harry purposely hit Ron’s head with his bag before taking his seat on the other side of him.

"Ow!" Ron yelped.

"Sorry," Harry said, not sounding sorry at all.

Hermione took her seat beside Neville and wondered how she would be able to concentrate on the lesson when she was thinking about what had happened to Dean.

"Shouldn't we tell anyone about Dean?" Harry asked under his breath. "I mean... he's our friend and house mate."

"What happened to Dean?" Neville whispered.

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks. "Um... I'll talk to you after class," she said.

Harry nodded and leaned back in his chair. He wondered if Ginny could have something to do with this. He nudged Ron. "Mate, did you see Ginny last night?"

"What?" Ron asked. "Why?"

"I just need to know when was the last time you saw her last night," Harry said quietly.

"Before bed," Ron replied as Flitwick frowned at them.

"Did she say anything to you about wanting to get back together with Dean?" Harry asked once Flitwick had turned his head.

"I don't know," Ron looked flabbergasted. "I don't ask her about those sorts of things!"

"Mr. Weasley," Professor Flitwick said in exasperation. "I'm sorry that we're boring you. Do you think you and Mr. Potter could continue your conversation after class?"

"Sorry Professor," both Harry and Ron muttered.

"Thank you," Flitwick said before turning his attention back to the lesson.

Harry leaned back in his chair, wishing he could kip but unable to stop thinking of Dean Thomas's expression. It troubled him to know that someone he'd gotten a bit closer to while he was there was now in such a state.

After class, Ron, Seamus and Neville cornered Harry. "What the hell's going on?" Ron asked point-blank.

Harry looked over at Hermione, who had barely said a word since they'd found Dean. "Um..." he began. "I don't really know if I'm the right person to say..."

"Just say it whatever it is," Seamus said. "Does it have something to do with Dean's skiving?"

Hermione joined them. "What's going on?" she looked at Harry.

"We just want to know what's going on with Dean," Ron stated.

"Dean was...he's the latest victim in the attacks," Hermione said quietly. "Harry and I found him on our way to class."

"WHAT?" Neville, Ron and Seamus stared at her in disbelief.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I wish there was something I could have done..."

"He's okay though, right?" Seamus asked cutting her off. "He's not...dead, right?"

Harry shook his head and put his arm around Hermione. "No," he answered. "But he's comatose. I'm sure Dumbledore will be making an announcement at dinner."

"I'm going up to the hospital wing," Seamus said. "To see if there's anything I can do."

Harry hoped Dumbledore wouldn't be too angry that they'd told about Dean but couldn't stop Seamus as he rushed off.

"Man," Ron shook his head. "I can't believe whoever it was got Dean. What the hell was he doing out of the Common Room?"

Hermione opened her mouth to tell him about the letter, but Harry cut her off.

"Dunno," Harry lied.

"Maybe Dumbledore knows," Ron looked at Neville.

"Ginny," Neville said. "I should go and tell her about this. See how she's doing..."

"I thought no one knew yet," Ron reminded him as Harry walked away with Hermione.

"I just want her to hear it from me and not someone else," Neville said quietly.

"You took her to Hogsmeade last weekend right?" Ron asked, still looking at him.

Neville nodded. "I-I really like her, Ron."

"Just treat her right," Ron replied. "I know that she and Dean just broke up, but she's still my sister and I have to look out for her."

"I'd never do anything to hurt her," Neville said earnestly.

Ron nodded again. "It feels so weird knowing Dean is... Dean was..."

"He's going to be okay," Neville said. "He has to be."

"He's a good mate," Ron said quietly as they neared the library. He saw a figure walking slowly ahead of them. "Hey Luna," he called out.

Luna didn't seem to hear him at first so Ron tapped her on the shoulder.

"Luna?"

Luna turned around and for a moment, Ron thought she was just simply staring straight through him. But then her eyes focused and she smiled. "Hello Ronald."

"You okay?" he asked smiling back at her.

"I think so," she said softly. "I'm a bit tired is all. Late nights..." she toyed with her butterbeer cork necklace.

"What are you doing staying up all night?" Ron asked her curiously. "Studying?"

Luna nodded after a moment. "Yes," she answered. "And reading- I never miss an issue of The Quibbler."

Neville excused himself to go and find Ginny leaving the two of them alone.

"I've never read it except for those interviews your Dad did with Harry," Ron admitted.

"Would you like to borrow some old issues?" Luna asked, her large blue eyes focusing in on him again.

"Um, sure," Ron replied. "I suppose that would be okay."

"Oh I think you'll like them very much," Luna said, suddenly bright.

Ron couldn't help smiling back at her. She was quite pretty when she was talking about something that she cared about. As soon as that thought entered his mind, he wondered where it had come from. "That's really nice of you, Luna. Thanks."

"I'll have them for you at dinner," she promised.

Ron had a few minutes before his next class and he touched Luna's arm. "Have you heard about Dean?"

"Dean?" she asked. "Dean Thomas?"

Ron nodded. "He was attacked late last night. Harry and Hermione Granger found him this morning."

"How awful," Luna said softly. "He was a friend of yours..."

"Yeah," Ron said looking down at his feet. "I just hope they can catch the guy who's doing this."

Luna nodded thoughtfully. "It's a bit terrifying. I won't leave my common room at night. I used to like to go up and look at the stars."

"You shouldn't go anywhere alone," Ron warned her. "Not with all this going on. I wouldn't want---I mean, I don't want to see you get attacked, too."

Her eyes shone brilliantly. "Thank you Ronald. It's nice to know you care."

Ron's cheeks turned red and he scuffed his foot on the floor. "Yes, well..."

"I appreciate it," Luna said softly.

"I suppose I could walk you to your next class," Ron offered. "Just to be on the safe side, you know..."

"You'd do that for me?" Luna asked, her face tingeing pink.

"It's no problem," Ron assured her. "Where are you headed anyway?"

"Divination," she answered.

"Trelawney," Ron groaned.

"You don't like her?" Luna asked.

"She's just a little too out there for me," Ron replied.

"But I'm not?" Luna asked.

Ron looked sideways at her. "You're not that bad. I mean, you're out there, but in a good way. Does that make sense?"

"I think so," she said a bit shyly. "I never thought you'd even pay any attention to me at all."

"You're hard to ignore," Ron said smiling at her.

She blushed even more brilliantly.

"L-Luna," Ron stammered. "Um, if you um...well, if you wanted to look at the stars some night..."

"Yes?" Luna asked hopefully.

Ron scratched his nape. "Well, maybe I could go with you. You know, to keep you safe."

"You'd do that for me?" Luna smiled at him.

Ron nodded. "If you want, that is."

"I would like that very much," Luna nodded. "Thank you Ronald."

"Just let me know when you'd like to go," Ron said as they reached the stairs leading to the Divination classroom.

"I will," Luna nodded and quickly leaned over to kiss him on the cheek before heading upstairs.

Ron certainly hadn't expected that and he reached up and touched his cheek. "I think I might have just asked Loony Lovegood out," he muttered.

*** *** ***

That night the atmosphere in the Great Hall was quite subdued. Even the Slytherins were holding in their remarks and smirks after Dumbledore had made the announcement about Dean.

"I just can't believe this," Ginny said quietly, wiping a tear. "I mean... I just... I wasn't very nice to him and now he's in some sort of coma and--"

Neville handed her his napkin. "It's not your fault, Ginny."

"I feel like it is," Ginny wiped her eyes again. "I feel so guilty for some reason."

"Well, you and Dean were together for quite some time," Neville said putting an arm around her.

"It'll be okay Ginny," her friend Natalie was saying.

"I should have stopped him," Seamus said pushing his plate away. "He's my best mate and I knew he was going out after curfew, but---"

"W-why was he going out?" Ginny asked.

"I don't know," Seamus told her. "I really don't. He was upset and said he was going to sit in the common room for a little while..."

Ginny's lower lip trembled. "S-see? He was upset over me!"

"It's not your fault," Neville insisted.

"This is horrible," Parvati said wiping her eyes. "First Padma and then Dean."

Lavender put an arm around her best friend. "They're both going to be okay, Parv."

"What are they doing to figure this out?" Parvati burst out angrily. "No one will tell us anything except to stay in our dormitories after dark. No one but the Prefects are allowed out and no one even says anything to them!"

"You just have to be patient, Parvati," Hermione said. "There are people working on this that know what they're doing---"

"And how would you know?" Parvati retorted.

"It's... just a guess," Hermione covered. "I really wish we knew what was going on Parvati."

"I'm sorry," Parvati said. "I know you're just trying to help, but she's my sister and I just want her to be okay..."

"I understand," Hermione told her. "I really do."

Parvati nodded. "I-I think I'm going to go and sit with Padma. I just want her to know I'm there."

Harry watched the black haired girl leave. "We really need to push this investigation," he said quietly to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Dumbledore agreed that we should lengthen our rounds tonight."

"I'll bring my cloak in case we have to hide," Harry told her. "Hermione..."

"Yeah?"

"This may sound weird coming from me..." he said. "I know we agreed to try not to... um mess around so much... and I think we should really try and stick to that."

Hermione nodded. "Our first priority should be this case."

"Exactly," he reached for her hand under the table. "There will be other times for this..."

Hermione smiled wondering how he could make such a promise. She knew that as soon as this case was closed, he'd leave Hogwarts. But, maybe just maybe, he would change his mind.

"Hey Hermione," Ron began. "Um... what areas should I patrol tonight?"

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. "I was hoping you'd take the West Tower, Ron."

"I could do that," Ron nodded. "Any area in particular you think I should cover up there?"

Hermione was surprised. "I... don't think so. Just the tower would be great. Then Ha... then I could concentrate on the other areas."

"Just be careful, Hermione and Ron," Lavender said. "We don't want to see anyone else getting attacked."

Ron looked at his ex girlfriend, surprised. "Thanks Lav," he answered, realising that they were all banding together. "We'll watch ourselves."

"I know we don't always get along," Lavender said looking at her fellow classmates. "But I feel like we're a family."

"Me too," Neville chimed in, his arm still securely around Ginny.

Natalie nodded even though her eyes dropped away. "Right," she agreed half heartedly.

Harry couldn't help noticing this and he nudged Hermione. "What's her story?" he whispered motioning slightly toward Natalie.

"I don't know," Hermione said softly. "I really don't know her well at all. She's a friend of Ginny's, and since Ginny has never had much to do with me, Natalie follows suit."

"If you'll excuse me," Harry said. "I think I'm going to try and get to know Miss McDonald better."

"What?" Hermione looked confused.

"Trust me," Harry said with a wink. He stood up and walked over to Natalie. "Alright?" he asked her taking a seat.

"What?" Natalie jumped. Her eyes grew round as she saw who was sitting next to her.

"I just realised that I've known who you were for a few years now, but I never really got to know you," Harry said giving her his most charming smile.

Natalie blushed. "You've always thought of me as Ginny's little friend..."

"I can't change my mind?" Harry asked flirtatiously.

"No one said that," Natalie was getting over her shyness.

"So," Harry said reaching for her hand under the table. "How about we take a walk?"

"Now?" Natalie asked. "Really?"

"I don't have anything to do," Harry said winking at her. "Do you?"

"N-no..." Natalie stammered.

"Come on then," Harry said. "I promise, I won't bite."

Hermione watched them go. She hated the twinge of jealousy she felt inside as she watched Harry open the door for Natalie and moved the food around on her plate.

"He sure doesn't waste anytime," Lavender said shaking her head. "You're better off without him, Hermione."

"What?" Hermione's head snapped up. "Oh... Harry and I are just friends," she lied.

"Do you make it a practise of saying the names of your friends in your sleep?" Lavender asked pointedly.

Hermione blushed and vowed to put a silencing charm on her curtains from then on.

"It's okay," Lavender said. "You're actually much prettier than that wannabe."

"Thank you," Hermione said, again surprised.

"You'd think she'd be a little more broken hearted about Dean given that she was begging me for information on him just the other day," Lavender said grabbing a bread roll from the basket.

"What?" Hermione asked taken aback. "Why did she want to know about Dean?"

Lavender leaned in so Ginny couldn't hear. "I think she fancies him," she confessed.

"But--but he dated her best friend," Hermione said confused.

"You are smart, but not about everything," Lavender said shaking her head. "You know that Parvati was thinking about getting together with Ron. And even though I knew that, I couldn't help myself."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "I see..."

"Sad, but true," Lavender said. "But if Harry has any sense at all, he'll see what a good thing he has with you."

"Thank you Lavender," Hermione was rather touched. The blonde had never been especially nice to her but it seemed as if they were becoming friends.

"You're welcome," Lavender said smiling at her.

Harry had led Natalie up to the Owlery hoping to get her to talk about Dean, but he hadn't wanted to ask her straightaway to make her suspicious. Instead, he'd made the grave error of asking her about herself and she was now telling him more than he ever needed to know.

"And when I was twelve, I got my first crush," she revealed. "One might think it was you, but it really wasn't. It was actually Ron! But then once I got to know him a bit better, I realised he wasn't my type."

"Really," Harry said trying to sound interested, while stifling a yawn. "And...um...what is your type?"

"Maybe it's you," Natalie smiled at him. "Or maybe..." her smile faded.

"Someone else?" Harry asked sympathetically. He had a feeling that he had her right where he wanted her. She just needed a little push.

"I don't know if I should talk about it," Natalie answered, looking away.

"It might help," Harry said stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I remember my first crush. She was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. And I couldn't string two words together whenever she was around. But...she was with someone else." At least this was what Ron had told him about his "crush" on some girl named Cho Chang. "And it killed me inside every time I saw her with him."

"You really do know how it feels..." Natalie looked at him. "I guess I can tell you..."

Harry nodded encouragingly.

"It's Dean," Natalie confessed. "I know he was going out with my best friend... but he was always so nice to me."

"How long have you fancied him?" Harry asked her.

"A few months at least," Natalie looked up at him, now with tears in her eyes. "I just can't believe this happened to him..."

"Did you ever tell him how you felt?" Harry asked gently.

"I couldn't," Natalie answered. "Not while he was with Ginny."

"But they've broken up," Harry reminded her. "And have been for awhile now."

"I sent him a note," Natalie said in a rush, almost interrupting him. "Last night... I pretended it was from Ginny asking him to meet me. I didn't know!" she grew hysterical.

"It's okay," Harry said soothingly. "Natalie, you didn't mean for this to happen."

"But if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have been out there last night," Natalie sobbed. "He would have been safe in the dormitory!"

"Did you go to meet him, Natalie?" Harry asked. He was more than a little uncomfortable. He never knew how to take crying girls.

She shook her head. "I don't think so... I sort of passed out and woke up in the common room."

"You don't remember how you got there?" Harry asked.

"I was really tired," Natalie answered softly. "I think I was waiting for everyone to clear out, and I fell asleep."

"Oh," Harry said quietly. He was hoping that Natalie could have seen something that would give them another clue. "Well, it's a good thing that you did because you might have..."

"Been attacked too?" Natalie asked. "I wish it was me instead of Dean. This is all my fault."

Harry reached into his pocket and handed her a handkerchief. "Dean was in the wrong place at the wrong time, Natalie. You didn't know this was going to happen to him. You shouldn't beat yourself up over this."

"Thanks Harry," Natalie said. "You're really nice, to listen to me like this."

"I've been where you are before," Harry said smiling sympathetically at her. "Come on, I'll walk you back to the common room."

"Thanks," Natalie wiped her eyes again.

"You're welcome," Harry said following her down the stairs.

He filed the information he had just learned to tell Hermione while they were on rounds later.

They made it back to the common room and the place was already filled with younger students who thought it was safer to study here than in the library. Natalie gave Harry a hug of thanks before she went upstairs to her room.

Hermione was waiting for him near the entrance. "Did you find anything out?" she asked a bit briskly.

He noticed her tone, but chose to ignore it. She couldn't honestly believe he was genuinely interested in Natalie McDonald.

"Yes," he said pulling her aside. "Natalie fancied Dean. It wasn't Ginny who wrote that letter. It was Natalie."

"Lavender sort of told me the same thing," Hermione replied. "She told me about Natalie... but she didn't know anything about the note."

He told her everything Natalie had told him. "I don't think she was behind this."

"She doesn't seem..." Hermione struggled. "Smart enough, as horrible as that sounds."

"No, you're right," Harry said. "As usual."

"What else did you two talk about?" Hermione asked, struggling to keep a neutral tone. She hated the fact that she was so jealous of this at such a time but couldn't help herself.

"Mostly about Dean," Harry replied. "But before we got to that, she told me everything I ever needed but didn't want to know about her."

"Oh," Hermione answered. "Um... I'm going to get a bit of homework done before we go patrol."

"Hermione?"

"What?" she turned quickly.

"Are you mad at me?" Harry asked her.

"Of course not," she answered, not really looking at him.

"I know that I haven't known you long," he said reaching for her hand. "But I know you well enough to know when you're lying."

Hermione bit her lower lip. "I'm sorry," she apologised. "It's stupid really... I have no claims on you."

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you...jealous?"

She glared at him in response.

"You are," Harry said with a grin.

"Maybe I don't need your help tonight," she pulled away.

"I was teasing," Harry said reaching for her again. "Hey...you have absolutely nothing to worry about, Miss Granger. There's no one else at this school who I'd rather spend my time with than you."

Hermione's expression softened. "Really?"

"Really," Harry said softly.

"I guess I'm being a little bit of a prat," she straightened her robes.

"Just a little," he said giving her a quick kiss even though he wanted to do so much more. "Look, I'm going to go and write to Sirius and then maybe do some homework..."

"Okay," she said. "We can meet back down here at half past ten."

"Great," Harry squeezed her hand. "I'll see you at half past ten..."

Hermione nodded. "It's going to be a long night."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed, but was thinking of an entirely different reason.

"And I must say I'm impressed that you're going to do homework," Hermione said grinning at him.

Harry shrugged. "Maybe I will," he answered. "Not like it's going to do me much good..."

"It couldn't hurt," Hermione told him. "And if by some chance, you decide to stay here even after the case is finished, you'll want to get top marks..."

Harry looked at her for a moment, not wanting to hurt her feelings by saying he still had no intentions of staying here after the case was solved. He liked being there with her, but he missed the freedom he possessed away from the school.

"I don't mean to nag," Hermione apologised. "I know you hate that. It's just this place is very important to me. It's the only place I really felt that I fit in."

He sent her a half smile. "How about we do our homework together?"

"We tried that before," Hermione reminded him. "And we didn't get very far. You kept playing with my foot under the table and then we nearly got thrown out of the library...not a good idea."

"Well then I probably won't get anything finished," Harry stretched. "You know... I don't work well alone..."

Hermione smiled. "You promise you'll behave?"

"I'll try," he said, leaning in with a flirtatious look on his face.

Hermione shook her head and placed a finger to his lips. "No, work first."

"Come on," he answered. "If I get this out now, I'll work better."

"I hadn't thought about that," Hermione said softly.

"I like being right," Harry said saucily.

"It doesn't happen very often," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

He grinned before leaning in to kiss her. Despite their promises to concentrate more on the case, he knew he needed something like this.

Hermione was feeling the exact same way. It was so easy to forget about everything when she was with him and just live in the moment. She was falling for him and her feelings kept getting stronger each day. Deep down, she knew she was setting herself up for a fall, but she couldn't help it.

After snogging for several minutes, Harry pulled back. "Now I can do homework," he said with a grin.

"H-homework?" Hermione asked trying to catch her breath and get her bearings.

"Yeah," Harry said, amused. "That thing involving books and parchment?"

Hermione blushed. "Right...books."

Harry took her hand as they went back into the main part of the common room. It was quiet in there, most students lost in thought due to what had happened to Dean.

Ron made a beeline for Harry the moment he saw him. "I need to talk to you."

"Harry and I were going to do homework," Hermione said.

"It's okay," Harry said. "It'll only take a minute, right?"

Ron nodded and looked at Hermione. "I guess it'd be okay if you were here. I mean you ARE a girl..."

"Well noted," Hermione arched an eyebrow at him.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Do you want to help me or not?"

"What is it?" Harry asked, slightly impatient.

"Okay," Ron said in a hushed voice. "I did something that doesn't really make any sense."

"Which was?" Harry asked when Ron didn't offer up any more information.

"Well," Ron hedged. "See...there's this girl that I think I kind of fancy, but it doesn't make sense. She's completely mental. She does the strangest things and she's not like anyone I've ever met before. I can talk to her, you know?"

"You fancy Luna, don't you?" Hermione asked him.

8. Chapter 8

We’re both so glad you guys are enjoying this story. Some of you have good theories on the direction things are going, but of course we aren’t going to say who ;)

We hope you guys like this chapter as well, and please let us know what you think!

"What?" Ron asked, flabbergasted. "What... why would... what made you say Luna?"

Hermione smiled at him. "I saw you walking her back from dinner."

"Oh..." Ron turned red. "Well yeah... and don't you dare take the mickey out of me for this Hermione."

"I wasn't going to," Hermione said defensively. "I think it's kind of sweet actually."

"You do?" Ron asked disbelievingly.

"She's a nice girl," Harry said.

"I used to think she was a bit strange, but she did join S.P.E.W. when no one else would," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"She joined spew?" Ron asked with a grimace.

"SPEW?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

Ron cackled. "It's that wonky club Hermione made up in our fourth year to try and help house elves. Do you remember how she tried to strong arm you and me into joining? And those buttons! Don’t tell me you can’t remember it now!"

Harry raised an eyebrow. "The house elf we had at Grimmauld Place was a bit of a head case... he actually wound up running off. It was really strange."

"You had house elves?" Hermione asked taken aback. "Did you pay them?"

Harry looked embarrassed. "Not that I know of," he muttered.

"You enslaved them," Hermione said angrily. "I had no idea that you did that, Harry!"

"Hermione, no one cares but you," Ron said exasperatedly.

"That's entirely the problem, Ron Weasley!" Hermione rounded on him. "If more people cared, we could make a difference."

"This is not why I came over here, all right?" Ron narrowed his eyes at her. "Don't you get it Hermione? House elves LIKE being servants. They hate it when you try to get them to pick up those stupid hats you knitted back in 5th year, and they hate when you go down and lecture them."

"Dobby doesn't," Hermione retorted. "He thanks me every single time I give him socks or a scarf...."

"Dobby?" Harry asked. "Dobby's here?"

"How do you know Dobby?" Hermione forgot about Ron standing there.

"I freed him," Harry replied. "From the Malfoys actually."

"YOU did?" Ron asked. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

Hermione's stance softened. "You gave him his freedom..."

"Yeah," Harry said, somewhat embarrassed. "And then he chose to come work here I guess..."

"Hello?" Ron asked. "We're not here to talk about house elves..."

Hermione threw her arms around Harry. "I'm so proud of you for doing that, Harry."

He smiled at her. "Better than enslaving?"

"Much better," Hermione said leaning in to give him a kiss, but Ron pushed her out of the way. "Ronald!"

"Gross," he complained.

"You could be doing the same thing with Luna," Harry said.

Ron glared at him. "You know, I came to you thinking you might have advice, but now I know you'd rather just snog Granger here."

"Okay," Harry said folding his arms. "What kind of advice do you want, Ron?"

"Should I really go for it?" Ron asked. "What if people think we look stupid?"

"If you fancy her, it won't matter to you what people say," Hermione looked at him coolly.

"I'd imagine you would say that, but Harry knows what this is like," Ron said to her. "He's going out with someone who's a bit mental..."

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione asked.

"Ron," Harry snapped. "I thought you were going to lay off."

"Sorry," Ron muttered.

"I think I'll go study elsewhere," Hermione shut her books and stood up.

"You don't have to go," Harry said.

"I know where I'm not wanted," Hermione said, levelling a cold gaze Ron's way. "I'll see you later Harry."

Ron stared down at his feet. He hadn't meant to hurt Hermione's feelings, but she had to know that she was a bit odd.

"Ron," Harry snapped when Hermione had gone to another table. "I told you, if we're to be friends you're going to have to accept Hermione."

"I have accepted her," Ron said defensively. "I said she could stay while I asked you about Luna."

"But you insulted her," Harry answered, also standing up.

"I didn't mean to," Ron said. "And even you have to admit she is a little mental..."

"No she's not," Harry's eyes went dark.

Ron gaped at him. "Merlin...you are serious about her, aren't you? Are you...are you ...I can't even bring myself to say it..."

Harry felt himself grow even angrier, which partly confused him. When had he started feeling THIS defensive and protective of Hermione?

Ron sighed. "Whoa."

"I have to go," Harry muttered.

"Harry---"

"Just leave it Ron," Harry snapped.

Hermione watched as Harry stalked up the stairs and she resisted the urge to look over at Ron.

Instead, she looked down at her schoolwork and tried hard to concentrate on that. But part of her felt completely elated at the way Harry had stuck up for her.

Ron sat down across from her but didn't say anything.

"Can I help you?" she asked woodenly after several minutes.

"I'm sorry I said you were mental," Ron said almost inaudibly.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"It's no secret that you and I don't get along," Ron said. "We have nothing in common except for Harry. "

"Pretty much," Hermione said matter of factly.

"And he doesn't really like being put in the middle," Ron said quietly.

"What's your point here Ron?" Hermione asked.

"I'm going to lose him as a friend if I don't find someway to get along with you," Ron said with a sigh.

"So you really don't want to get along with me," Hermione said. "You just want to pretend to, so Harry doesn't get pissed at you anymore..."

Ron rolled his eyes. "You are impossible."

"Look don't do me any favours," Hermione snapped. "I'm not a charity case, and I don't need your fake friendship."

"Things were perfectly fine until you came along," Ron said pushing back in his chair. "I don't know what in the world Harry sees in you."

"Something no one else did," Hermione said coldly.

"Like what?" Ron asked her.

"I'm not going to explain it to you," Hermione answered.

"You shouldn't act so innocent," Ron said angrily. "You don't like me anymore than I like you. And you aren't making any effort."

"You're not making an effort either!" Hermione snapped. "You just want to pretend to be friends so Harry won't get angry at you!" she shook her head. "This is not what I need right now. I have entirely too much going on to sit and debate this with you."

"Fine!" Ron hissed. "I'm going to start my rounds early."

"About time you took some responsibility," she shot back.

Ron practically knocked a few second years down as he stalked out of the common room.

"Wanker!" Hermione called after him.

Harry had reappeared at the end of their argument and glared at a few fourth years who were buzzing around.

Hermione closed her books. She obviously wasn't going to get any work done. When she looked up, she caught Harry's gaze.

He looked back at her, hoping she was okay. Motioning with his head, he silently asked if she wanted to begin rounds.

Hermione nodded and set her books aside. She'd get them when they were finished. Neither of them said a word as they walked out of Gryffindor Tower.

"Did the two of you settle anything?" Harry finally asked.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm sorry, he just drives me mad."

"He is a bit annoying," Harry said. "But at the same time, I feel bad for him. From what he's told me, he's the youngest in his family and his brothers would pick on him."

"I hadn't thought about that," Hermione admitted.

Harry put an arm around her. "Are you all right though?"

His concern touched her and she nodded. "I'm with you. I couldn't be better."

He squeezed her shoulders. "Where should we start tonight?"

"Third floor," Hermione replied. "I thought we'd start with the Trophy Room."

"Okay," Harry pulled his invisibility cloak out of his pocket. "I'll be in this, but in case we see anything even remotely suspicious, I'll stay right along side you."

Hermione nodded. If there was any good thing to come out of the attacks, it was that the students were staying in their dorms. Having this happen to Dean made everything hit a little more closer to home and Hermione was scared.

"It's going to be all right," Harry said from under the cloak.

"I keep telling myself that," Hermione said leading the way into the Trophy Room.

"I won't be more than a step behind you," Harry replied.

"A Hufflepuff second year was found in this room," Hermione said quietly. "Right after Padma."

"We should go see Dumbledore when we're done with the rounds," Harry said. "I want to tell him what Natalie said to me."

Hermione nodded. "He should know that Ginny wasn't responsible."

Harry nodded even though she couldn't see him.

After a quick examination of the room, she and Harry walked out into the corridor. Hermione had one hand on her wand so she'd be ready if something should happen.

"What was that?" Harry asked; from the sound of his voice it seemed as if he was nearly on top of her.

"I didn't hear anything," Hermione whispered.

Harry trained his ears. "It was over there," he said almost inaudibly.

"Where?" Hermione asked.

Harry pointed down a rather dark corridor. Not caring now if anyone saw him, he pulled off his cloak.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat as she finally heard what sounded like a thud.

"Come on," Harry grabbed her hand.

Hermione took off with him down the dark corridor.

Harry extended his arm, wand in hand as they stayed flat against the wall. He could hear Hermione breathing in short, panicked gasps.

"Potter," he heard someone say in a raspy voice.

"LUMOS!" Harry shouted.

Hermione felt someone tug hard on her arm and she struggled to break free of them. "HARRY!"

"Petrificus Totalus!" Harry roared, shouting the first spell that came to mind.

Nothing happened and Harry called out for Hermione, but she didn't respond. "HERMIONE?"

A weak moan caught his ears as he whipped around.

"LET HER GO, YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Harry screamed.

"Harry..." she said weakly, as the person holding her pulled her tighter.

"...well enough alone," the person rasped in Hermione's ear sending shivers down her spine.

"Please," Hermione begged. "Don't hurt me..."

"They want him to stop," the person said, their grip on Hermione tightening.

"Who?" Hermione asked, still trying to break away.

"It's easier if you don't fight it," they said again, and Hermione panicked when she felt herself being pulled backward.

"I don't think so," Harry grabbed the figure by the back of the neck. "Fucking let her go NOW!"

The figure released Hermione who fell to the floor.

"Turn around," Harry ordered the figure.

"I don't think so," the figure mocked.

Hermione reached blindly in the darkness for her wand.

Harry felt the figure go limp and the hooded cloak dropped to the ground. "What the hell?" Harry asked kneeling down. "Where'd he go?"

"What?" Hermione asked, alarmed.

"He's gone," Harry said holding up the cloak and pointing his lit wand at it. "But how---"

"It's impossible to Apparate here," Hermione said standing up and rubbing her sore arm.

"Let's go to Dumbledore," Harry said abruptly. His expression softened when he saw how pale her face was. "Are you all right?"

Hermione shook her head. "I thought...I thought..."

"You're all right," Harry dropped to his knees. "Hey... look at me."

Tears shone in her eyes as she looked up at him.

"You're okay," Harry said, reaching out to touch her cheek.

"If you hadn't been here," Hermione started to say.

Harry nodded, almost too upset with himself to speak. "I won't let anything happen to you," he said fiercely.

Hermione sobbed into his shoulder. She put a brave front most of the time, but what happened tonight had shaken her. For the first time since she'd started this case, she wasn't so sure she was right for this line of work.

"Shhh..." he held her closely, amazed at how scared he'd been that he could possibly have lost her. His feelings for Hermione were growing deeper by the day and that was scaring him too.

"I didn't get a good look at them," Hermione whispered resting her head against his chest. "I should have tried, but it was so dark..."

"It's okay," he soothed. "Come on, let's get out of here," he helped her up and took the figure's cloak in his other hand. "Let's go see Dumbledore."

"Thank you," she said softly.

He kept a protective arm wrapped around her as they left the corridor and headed for Dumbledore's office.

Hermione leaned against him, her composure slowly returning.

"I don't know how to get up there..." Harry said once they were standing at the large circular staircase.

Hermione knew the secret password that prefects were given to use only in the case of emergencies. "Pepper imps," she whispered.

Harry watched in amazement as the staircase turned so they could walk upstairs. "Wow..." he muttered. Still gripping Hermione's hand, they went up.

Professor Dumbledore was pacing in front of his desk when the two teenagers entered.

"Miss Granger, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore greeted them.

"Hello sir," Harry said. "We um... we just had an encounter up near the Trophy Room..." he held out the heavy black cloak. "The figure nearly captured Hermione, and then faded away, leaving this behind."

As always Dumbledore's first concern was for his students and he turned his eye on Hermione. "Are you okay, Miss Granger?"

"I think so," Hermione was still pale and shivering a bit.

Dumbledore nodded and reached into his desk drawer for a piece of chocolate. "Here you are."

"Thank you," Hermione reached for it, knowing it would help her feel better.

Dumbledore nodded. "How about we start at the beginning?"

"You know I've been accompanying Hermione on her rounds," Harry began.

"And other than what happened in Professor Snape's classroom, we haven't really had any luck coming up with clues," Hermione continued.

"Tonight we went down this corridor by the Trophy Room," Harry took over. "And there was someone down there. I couldn't place their voice... but they were wearing this cloak."

Dumbledore looked at the cloak. The cloak looked as if it had seen better days and quite a few threads hung off of it; other parts were torn.

Hermione shivered again. "Whoever it was, grabbed me... they said something about wanting him to stop... I'm not sure what that means though."

"What else did this person say to you?" Dumbledore asked gently.

"Um," Hermione bit her lower lip. "Something about 'well enough alone', and then whoever it was said that it was easier if I didn't fight it."

"And you didn't recognise the voice or get a good look at them?" Dumbledore asked.

"It was almost completely pitch black," Hermione answered softly.

"I had my wand lit, but it wasn't really enough," Harry explained.

"I grabbed them by the neck and told them to let Hermione go," Harry continued. "And he did, but the next thing I know, he vanished into thin air."

"Apparition is out of the question," Dumbledore thought out loud. "But perhaps this person is an animagus?"

"They would have had to be a very small animal," Hermione said quietly. "Because there was nothing in the cloak."

"What if it was Wormtail?" Harry asked suddenly. "We never found him after what happened with Voldemort."

Dumbledore nodded. "I'll find his whereabouts these days. He was last seen in Sweden as of a few months ago."

"I need to tell Sirius about this as well," Harry said.

"Feel free to use my Floo network," Dumbledore offered. "I'm sure he'll still be up."

"Y-you're going?" Hermione asked.

"Just for a few minutes," Harry looked over at her, concerned at how pale she still was. "Why don't you come with me?"

"I think that's an excellent idea," Dumbledore said.

Hermione was relieved. Harry extended his hand and helped her up.

"Take as long as you need," Dumbledore told them. "I'm going to meet with Professor McGonagall to share this news with her."

"Thank you sir," Harry said. "We'll be back soon."

Hermione was relieved to be going with Harry. With all that happened in the last hour, she didn't want to be alone.

"Come on," he said softly as Dumbledore left the office. "This will be something good for Sirius and the rest of the Aurors to follow up on."

Hermione nodded and watched as Harry grabbed a handful of Floo powder.

"Why don't you go first?" Harry asked after he tossed it in. "Just say Grimmauld Place."

Hermione did as she was told and said in as strong a voice as she could muster, "Grimmauld Place."

Harry followed suit and soon enough they were standing together in the sitting room. "Come on," He took her hand. "Sirius will probably be in the library."

She followed Harry and tried to get the sound of that horrible voice out of her head. "...well enough alone..." kept echoing in her mind. And though she knew it was crazy, she could still feel the cloaked figure's hands of her arms.

Without realising it, Hermione let out a small whimper.

Harry stopped and turned to look at her. "Hermione?"

"I'm sorry," she said. "It's just that... if you hadn't been there I'd be lying up in that corridor right now. I'd be just like Dean, Padma and all those others..."

"But you're not," Harry said softly. "I wouldn't have let them take you, Hermione."

"I know," she said, wrapping her arms around herself. "But if I had been alone..."

"You weren't alone," Harry said reaching for her. "And you never will be."

Hermione let him envelope her and she clung onto him. "I was really scared," she said in a small voice.

He had been scared too at the possibility of losing her, which terrified him. He wasn't supposed to get this close to someone. But, he couldn't walk away from her. Not now.

"Harry?" Sirius asked startling the teenagers.

"Sirius!" Harry exclaimed. "We were coming to see you..."

Sirius could tell just by looking at Hermione that something bad had happened. He ushered them into the kitchen and a few minutes later they were seated at the table with cups of tea.

"Hermione was attacked," Harry relayed what had happened that night. "And they got away somehow, but whoever it was, was wearing this cloak." he handed it to his godfather.

Sirius examined it carefully. "I'll bring it in tomorrow for full analysis."

Harry told his godfather about the theories that they'd discussed with Dumbledore. "If it was Pettigrew..."

"I'd kill him," Sirius said without hesitation. "That little..."

His voice trailed off when he saw the stricken expression on Hermione's face. Harry put his arm around her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad that you're both okay," Sirius said.

"We're all right," Harry assured him. "But this is really the first big thing that's happened since I got to Hogwarts."

"And you're safe here," Sirius reassured Hermione. "This place is unplottable."

She nodded and couldn't help but shiver even though Harry's arm was still around her.

"Perhaps the two of you could stay here tonight," Sirius suggested.

"We'd have to get permission from Dumbledore," Harry said.

"You can leave that to me," Sirius said pushing back in his chair. "I'll go and have a quick word."

Harry looked over at Hermione. "Would you like to stay here?" he asked. "I should have made sure you were okay with it before just agreeing."

"I don't think I want to go back there tonight," Hermione admitted.

"Okay," Harry said reassuringly. "We'll stay here then."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said softly.

"For what?" he asked, moving his chair closer.

"For being so much trouble," Hermione said. "For acting like such a coward. All those doubts you had about my abilities were confirmed tonight."

"Bollocks," Harry answered. "You're not trouble and anyone in your position would have been terrified tonight."

"Harry," Hermione said looking up at him.

"What?" he asked softly.

"I'm just really glad that we're here," Hermione replied.

"Told you I'd take care of you," he brushed back her hair.

Hermione looked into his green eyes and remembered what she'd told Ron earlier that night about how Harry saw something in her that no one else saw. She couldn't help thinking that she was getting to see a part of him that he didn't show to everyone.

"What is it?" he asked, seeing the look on her face.

"I'm---" Hermione started to say.

"Dumbledore has given the okay for you to stay here tonight," Sirius said coming back into the kitchen.

"Thanks," Harry said, annoyed yet a bit relieved at the interruption. "Um... I'll show you one of the guest rooms..."

"Okay," Hermione said standing up. "Thank you, Mr. Black."

"You're welcome," Sirius smiled at her with genuine affection. "I'm glad you're all right."

"Come on," Harry said taking her hand.

Hermione followed him, lost in her thoughts as he led her through the hallway.

"It's going to be nice to sleep in my own bed," Harry said conversationally.

"What?" she asked, looking up at him.

"I said it would be nice to sleep in my own bed," Harry repeated. "And to sleep in my own room. "

"Oh," she answered. "I suppose you're right..."

Harry nodded and led the way upstairs. He was going to show her the guest rooms closest to his and let her pick out the one she'd like best.

"Which one..." she hesitated and blushed. "Which one is closest to you?"

"This one," Harry said opening up a door. "My room's right across from you."

"I'll sleep here then," she said.

"I'll go and grab a t-shirt for you to sleep in," Harry said motioning over his shoulder.

Mindlessly, she followed him into his bedroom.

"I didn't get much chance to clean it up before I left," Harry apologised.

"Doesn't matter," Hermione shrugged.

He grabbed a t-shirt from his dresser and handed it to her. "I think this one will do."

"Thanks," she looked up at him. "Thanks for doing this for me Harry."

"I'd do anything for you," he said reaching for her. She winced when he touched her arm and Harry lifted up the sleeve of her shirt to reveal a deep bruise on her arm. Anger surged through him.

"Sorry," she whispered again.

"You've nothing to be sorry about," Harry told her.

"I guess I really am weak," Hermione couldn't let this go. "I just froze tonight."

Harry led her over to the bed and sat down beside her. "You're not weak. You're going to be a great Auror, Hermione."

"You really think so?" Hermione asked hopefully.

He nodded. "I know so."

"Thanks," she said softly. "Your opinion means a lot to me Harry."

"Even if I am an arrogant jerk?" He asked hoping to get her to smile.

The corner of her mouth tugged up. "Even if you're an arrogant jerk."

"And you're a bossy know-it-all," Harry said grinning at her.

"You're not the first to call me that," Hermione replied. "And surely not the last."

"You're so much more than that," he said brushing her hair back.

"I am?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "You're intelligent, warm, caring...and you make everyone around you want to be...better. You, um, you make me want to be better."

Her eyes filled with unexpected tears. "Harry..."

"Don't cry," he said squeezing her hand.

"That's about the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me is all," Hermione wiped her eyes.

Harry stood up, feeling a little embarrassed at what he'd just told her. "It's late. I'm sure you’re knackered."

"Yes," Hermione was disappointed when he pulled away.

"If you need anything, I'm right here," Harry said. "Right across the hall. And if you get cold, there are extra blankets in your closet."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "Um... I guess this is goodnight then..."

"Good night," Harry said softly.

She took the shirt he held out to her and left the room; half wishing he had invited her to sleep in there.

Once in her room, she changed into the shirt and after splashing some cold water on her face, crawled under the covers wondering how she would ever get to sleep when her mind was reeling over everything that had happened.

She fell into a fitful sleep, still dreaming about that cold voice and the rough grip they'd had on her.

In her dream, she didn't get away, though, and Harry wasn't there to rescue her.

"It's easier if you don't fight it," the cloaked figure said in her ear.

"No," Hermione begged. "Please, don't do this!"

"I'll get him next," the figure said in a menacing tone.

"NO!" she screamed. "Let me go!"

Harry had just drifted off to sleep when he'd heard Hermione screaming. He rushed into the other room and gently shook her. "Hermione?"

"No," her face was streaked with perspiration. "Don't hurt me! Don't hurt him!"

"It's okay," he said soothingly. "Hey..."

Her eyes popped open as she finally stopped struggling.

"It was just a dream," he said touching her arm. "Just a bad dream, Hermione."

"It was too real," she sobbed.

Harry could certainly relate. He'd lost count of the times he'd woken up from one nightmare or the other.

Hermione wiped at her eyes. "I'm sorry if I woke you up," she said, finally calming down.

"It's okay," Harry said getting up to get her a cold rag. "I wasn't really sleeping anyway."

"Oh," she answered, pushing her hair off her forehead.

He came back a few moments later and sat back down. "Here..."

"Thank you," she said quietly, taking the rag and wiping her face.

"Let me help you," he said taking it from her and dabbing at her forehead. "Better?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded and smiled at him. "Thanks..."

"I could stay in here with you," he offered. "If you want..."

"You would do that?" Hermione asked.

He nodded. "If it wouldn't make you uncomfortable..."

"It wouldn't," she said softly.

Harry took the rag from her and placed it on the bedside table. She slid over to give him room and he slid under the covers with her.

Nestling herself against him, she didn't realise her hands were resting on his abdomen at first.

Harry smiled at her. "It's okay. I don't mind."

"I feel safe with you," Hermione said.

He kissed her forehead. "I promise I'll never let anything happen to you."

"Ever?"

"Ever," he replied. "We're partners, right?"

"Right," She answered. "We make a good team. And we'll prove it when we catch the person doing this."

"That's my girl," Harry said glad to hear her sounding more like her old self.

Hermione was silent for a moment. "I'm your girl?" she finally asked.

9. Chapter 9

Authors’ note: We’re sorry for forgetting to post last night! We’ve both been really busy and last night was Grey’s Anatomy! But, here is the chapter for you guys and we hope that you enjoy it! Let us know what you think…

"Is that what you want?" Harry asked evasively.

She stayed quiet; disappointed that he hadn't answered her.

"I don't know what you want from me, Hermione," Harry said quietly.

"Sometimes I don't know either," she answered, lifting her head to look at him.

"We like being together," Harry said cupping her cheek in his hand. "Why do we have to put a label on it? We can just figure things out as we go along..."

She leaned into his touch. "I think you might be right."

"Can you say that again?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Don't push it," she answered.

"Can I tell you something?" he asked her.

Hermione nodded. "What is it?"

"I was scared tonight too," he admitted.

"You were?" she asked. "Really?"

He nodded and wondered again why it was so easy to talk to her about almost anything in the world. He never would have admitted to anyone but her that he'd been scared. "Because of you. I don't know what I would have done if something would have happened to you."

"Harry..." she said softly.

He stroked her cheek with his hand. "I'd do anything to protect you."

"You did tonight," Hermione said, closing her eyes.

"Hermione," Harry whispered before brushing his lips against hers.

She let out a tiny whimper as she leaned in to kiss him harder.

Harry pulled her closer, his hands running through her hair. He supposed that this was inevitable after what had happened tonight.

"Yes," Hermione whispered, her eyes still closed. "I want this..."

Harry pulled away, not sure that he'd heard her correctly. "Hermione did you just..."

She nodded. "I mean it Harry... I want this with you."

"Are you sure?" he asked her. "You said you wanted to wait..."

"I know," she answered. "But I'm positive Harry. I want this... tonight."

They might not ever have a chance like this again, Harry thought as he held her in his arms. She wasn't like other girls though and he knew that if they went through with this, it would change everything. "I-I want this too," he said before kissing her again.

She clutched onto him, digging her fingers into his shoulders as he kissed her deeply, forcing her lips open.

He wanted her like he'd never wanted anyone else before, but he tried to rein it all in, not wanting to rush her or to hurt her since this was her first time.

Her breathing quickened as he reached under the shirt she was wearing and began pulling it up over her head.

He tossed the shirt to the floor and sat up so he could take off his own t-shirt and pyjama bottoms. "Cold?" he asked her.

"No," she managed.

"Are you protected?" Harry asked.

Hermione closed her eyes. "No..." she answered again, in a disappointed tone. "Merlin am I stupid..."

"A good Auror always comes prepared," Harry said with a wicked grin. "Wait right here..."

Hermione opened her mouth as Harry slid from the bed. "Where are you going?"

"I'll be right back," Harry said over his shoulder practically running out of the room and into his own. He hoped what he was looking for was still there. Sure enough, he found the box in his bedside table.

"Thank you Sirius," he muttered.

"Harry?" Hermione called out from her room.

"Coming!" he called.

"Hi," she said softly when he came back into the room. "I thought you might have changed your mind..."

"No way," Harry smiled at her. "Just had to get one of these," he held up the packet. "You know..."

Hermione blushed. "Right..."

He got back into bed. "Where were we?"

"You were there," Hermione said cuddling up closer to him. "And I think that I was here..."

"I think you're right," Harry slid his arms around her.

"Will you show me what to do?" Hermione asked.

"Don't worry about anything," Harry said softly.

"I'm not," she promised. "Not with you."

He pushed back her hair and leaned in to kiss her, running his hands over her slender body.

Her body responded to his every touch and she forgot all her doubts and all her insecurities.

"That's it," Harry said, kissing under her jaw and over her shoulder.

"Harry," Hermione breathed.

He wanted to hear her say his name like that every day for the rest of his life. It got his blood pumping even harder than before and he crashed his lips onto hers.

She couldn't believe the way he was making her feel and they hadn't really done anything yet. His hand travelled slowly up her thigh and Hermione shivered at his touch.

"Just stay relaxed," he said softly, his lips brushing her ear. "You'll enjoy this, I promise."

"I trust you," she whispered.

"Good," he answered.

Hermione closed her eyes as Harry's hand went even higher up her thigh.

His hand rested between her legs as he began to massage her, readying her for what was to come afterwards.

"Harry," Hermione whimpered.

His mouth kissed over her neck and down between her breasts.

Her entire body felt like it was on fire. She wanted to be even closer to him than she already was which seemed impossible given their current position.

He withdrew his hand as her body began to arch into his. Positioning himself above her, he stared down at her face.

She looked up at him. "What is it?"

"You're just..." Harry paused. "You're gorgeous, Hermione."

She smiled and wanted to tell him that the reason she was so sure that this was right was because she was in love with him. She wasn't sure when or how it had happened. The way he was looking at her made her think that maybe he felt the same way and was just scared because he'd never felt that way about someone before. It might be wishful thinking on her part, but she couldn't help it. "No one's ever said that to me before," she said softly.

"You should get used to it," Harry said, giving her a gentle kiss. "I hope this doesn't hurt..."

"Please," she begged.

Carefully, he eased himself inside her.

Hermione's eyes grew large as she felt a pain like she'd never known before. Tears welled up in her eyes as Harry looked down at her.

"Hermione," he said. "It's going to get better, I promise... just move with me..."

She did as he asked and the pain was gone almost as soon as it appeared.

He saw her expression relax and he leaned in to kiss her.

Nothing had ever felt this good, this right before, Hermione thought as Harry kissed her tenderly. He was being so gentle with her that it made her love him even more than she already did.

"That's it," Harry's own voice was becoming strained as he tried to hold himself together.

Hermione cried out as he pressed further into her. "Yes, Harry..."

Harry clenched his teeth as she arched up against him.

Her arms tightened around his back. "Harry..."

"Hermione," he said with a guttural moan.

He collapsed on top of her, amazed at what had just happened. A single tear fell down Hermione's cheek. "Harry, I--"

Harry looked at her then brushed the tear away. "Are you all right?"

Hermione nodded. "I didn't know it could be like that."

"You were pretty incredible," Harry brushed her hair off her sweaty forehead. "Especially for that being your first time."

Hermione smiled. "I had a great teacher."

He chuckled. "I take it you're feeling better now..."

"Thanks to you," Hermione said softly.

"I'm glad," he reached down for the covers. Drawing one of the lighter sheets over them, he pulled her close again.

"I wish we could stay here forever," Hermione said dreamily.

Harry was growing tired, so he simply nodded and dropped his glasses on the nightstand.

Hermione rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

"No more nightmares," Harry also closed his eyes as he ran his hands through her long hair.

"No more nightmares," Hermione agreed.

He tightened his hold around her as he finally started to drift off.

Hermione waited until she was sure he was asleep before saying what she'd wanted to say all night. "I love you, Harry," she whispered.

*** *** ***

The following morning, Hermione woke up with a smile on her face after a very deep sleep. She lay there for a few minutes just looking at Harry, who was still breathing steadily, his eyes closed. What they had experienced together last night was amazing, especially to her.

But, she also knew that they had a case to solve and she was more determined than ever to solve it. She carefully slid out of bed and dressed in her clothes from the night before. She went into the bathroom to splash some cold water on her face and brush her teeth. When she came back out, she saw that Harry was still fast asleep. She hoped he wouldn't mind her doing some extra research before they went back to Hogwarts.

Smiling at him as she left the room, she tried to remember her way to the library.

"Oh!" Hermione said in surprise as she came face to face with Sirius. "Good morning..."

"Good morning," Sirius smiled at her. "I hope you slept well."

Hermione blushed. "I did, thank you."

"Can I get you anything for breakfast, Hermione?" Sirius asked.

"I'm all right," Hermione said. "Thank you- though... I can't remember how to get to the library..."

Sirius chuckled. "I get lost in here sometimes myself. Come on, I'll show you the way."

Hermione smiled. "I appreciate it."

"I was going to wake up Harry, but he wasn't in his room," Sirius said. "Knowing him, he's probably in the gym."

Hermione blushed hard, not knowing if she could tell Sirius about the night before.

"Here we are," Sirius said opening the set of double doors that led into the library.

"This is such a wonderful library," Hermione looked around the room.

"It would have been great having you around to teach," Sirius said with a grin. "You would have actually liked coming in here. Harry hated when I'd make him sit down in here to read."

"He's not really the type for that," Hermione smiled back. "He likes being out there and fighting."

"You two make quite a team," Sirius said admiringly.

Hermione felt herself turn red yet again. "Thanks," she murmured.

"You are more than welcome to take any of these books with you," Sirius said as Hermione sat down at one of the tables.

"I've got some at school I need to send back to you," Hermione replied, reaching for a thick tome.

"Keep them for as long as you need," Sirius said waving his hand. "I'll leave you to your research. You still have an hour or so before you're to be back at Hogwarts."

"Okay," Hermione said. "Thank you again Mr. Black. I really appreciate this."

"It's the least I could do for someone so important to my godson," Sirius said before heading out of the library.

Hermione wanted to call and ask what that statement was supposed to mean, but soon forgot about it as she immersed herself in the books in front of her.

Upstairs, Harry turned over in bed and reached for Hermione.

"She's downstairs in the library, lover boy," Sirius said throwing Harry's discarded pyjama bottoms at him.

"SIRIUS!" Harry roared. "What the hell are you doing in here?"

"I could ask the same of you," Sirius retorted. "You know when I asked Dumbledore to let you both stay here last night; I didn't think you'd do something like this."

"Sirius it's not what you think--" Harry began.

Sirius folded his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"Ok maybe it is what you think," Harry muttered.

"You did act responsibly, I assume," Sirius said quietly.

Harry's eyes strayed to the empty condom wrapper on the bedside table. "She had a bad dream," he tried to explain.

"And one thing led to another?" Sirius guessed in a sarcastic tone.

"Sirius don't," Harry warned. "She's not just some girl I'm messing about, okay?"

"She'd better not be," Sirius countered.

"What do you care?" Harry asked moodily.

"I'm just your godfather," Sirius said. "The person that James and Lily trusted to look after you."

"Where did she go?" Harry asked.

"Library," Sirius replied.

"I should have known," Harry said.

"I’m going to make us all some breakfast," Sirius said.

"Fine," Harry answered shortly.

Sirius walked out of the room leaving Harry alone with his thoughts. He didn't understand why Sirius cared anyway. Wasn't he the one who told Harry to have fun while he could?

He decided to head to the library to see Hermione. After last night he actually felt more confused than ever about exactly what his feelings towards her were.

"Find anything in there?" he asked from the doorway.

Hermione jumped. "Good morning," she said a bit shyly. "Um... yeah I'm going to borrow a few more of these."

Harry nodded and watched her for a few moments before saying anything else. "So..."

"Um..." Hermione stood up and closed the books. "How... how did you sleep? I didn't have any nightmares after we... after we um..." she realised she was babbling.

"After we....," Harry couldn't resist teasing.

"You know," Hermione said, her hair swinging forward to cover her face.

"Oh, that," Harry said sitting down across from her.

"Stop teasing me," she said.

"It's so much fun though," Harry said with a lazy grin.

She shook her head. "We should um... get back to the school..."

Harry reached for her hand. "I'm sorry."

Hermione sent him a shy grin. She hated acting this way but had no clue how to be around him now.

"I'm not very good at this morning after thing," Harry admitted giving her hand a squeeze.

"I've never had a morning after thing," Hermione admitted as he pulled her close to him.

"I was disappointed when I woke up and you were gone," Harry said nuzzling her neck.

"I'm sorry," she said, closing her eyes. "I just... I didn't want to wake you and I though I could get a bit of research done before we had to leave..."

He had been all set to distance himself from her, but once again where she was involved, his thinking was clouded. He couldn't help himself. "I'm not going to be able to concentrate," Harry said against her skin.

"We have to go anyways, don't we?" she asked, already feeling herself losing control.

"Probably," Harry said before kissing her.

Her arms wound around his neck as she took initiative and kissed him back this time.

Harry was pleasantly surprised by her boldness. He wished they could stay here all day and not have to worry about the case or going back to school.

"Mmm..." she said, breaking apart for a moment.

He rested his forehead on hers. "What are you thinking?" he asked.

"Lots of things," Hermione replied.

"Such as?" Harry asked grinning at her.

She blushed again- it seemed to be a habit that morning. "Just... nothing in particular..."

"You aren't a very good liar," he said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well what are you thinking about?" she asked, her hands running over his shoulders.

"Truth?"

"That would be nice," she tried to say lightly.

"I'm thinking that I---that we," Harry corrected, “Have a big case to solve and that this was the last thing either of us expected when we met each other."

Hermione sent him a half smile. "I know I certainly didn't expect it."

"You've thrown me for a loop," he continued.

"I have?"

"Completely," Harry said before giving her another kiss.

Hermione felt herself melt against him.

He was just contemplating taking her upstairs again when Sirius knocked on the door. Harry sighed and reluctantly let go of Hermione. "Usually, you knock and then come in, Sirius."

"It's my house," Sirius replied cheekily. "I wanted to let you know that we'll be leaving shortly, but I have pastries and juice in the kitchen."

"Thanks," Hermione blushed. "Um... I'll be borrowing these," she gestured to the books on the table.

"That's fine," Sirius said warmly. "And I'm meeting with Remus today to see if he's found out anything on that 17th century wizard."

"I keep looking for his name," Hermione said. "It's quite frustrating to find nothing." she smiled at Harry as he picked up her stack of books.

"Remus is the same," Sirius said conversationally. "He'll tear the Ministry apart looking for it."

"I'd like to meet him sometime as well," Hermione told him as they headed for the kitchen.

Harry was silent, ignoring his godfather.

"Help yourself," Sirius told them. "I'm going to get the Floo all set up for you both."

"Thank you," Hermione said grabbing a plate.

"Hungry?" Harry asked with a grin once Sirius had gone.

"Just a little," Hermione said with a laugh. "Aren't you?"

"Sure," Harry piled his plate.

"Juice?" Hermione asked.

"Thanks," Harry sent her a grin.

Hermione poured them both a glass and then sat down with him at the table.

"This is nicer than eating at the Gryffindor table," Harry commented.

"I think so too," Hermione said smiling at him.

He looked at her for a moment. "What DO you plan on doing after you're done with school?"

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. "Well, my parents would probably like for me to become a dentist and take over the family practise."

"You're going to be a dentist?" he asked in disbelief.

Hermione laughed. "No, I just said that's what my parents would love to see happen. But, it's not what I want to do."

"What do you want to do?" Harry asked, tossing a bit of his pastry at her.

"Very mature," Hermione said throwing it back at him. "I think I'd like to pursue being an Auror, Harry. I know last night I completely messed up, but --"

"Hermione," Harry interrupted her. "Do you know how many times an Auror has messed up? No one's perfect. Even the best make mistakes."

"Have you?" Hermione asked.

"Maybe just one or two times," Harry joked.

Hermione threw another piece of her pastry at him. "Smartarse."

"Part of my charm," Harry replied with a grin.

Hermione took another bite of her pastry, dreading for the first time in her life going back to school.

"Come on," Harry left his plate on the table. "We've got to get back..."

"Right," Hermione said wondering what she would tell Lavender and Parvati about being out all night.

Harry took her hand. "I'll carry those," he motioned to the books.

"Thanks," Hermione said smiling at him. "You are pretty charming."

"I'm naturally good at it," Harry leaned in and gave her a quick peck. "That and Sirius is a great teacher in that aspect."

"Come on you two," Sirius called out from the sitting room. "You don't have much time."

Harry led her into the sitting room. "We'll be in touch," he said to his godfather.

"As will I," Sirius said. "Be careful."

"Thank you again Mr. Black," Hermione said.

"Anytime, Hermione," Sirius said. "And don't call me, Mr. Black."

"I'm sorry--" she began.

Sirius chuckled. "Call me, Sirius."

"Okay," Hermione smiled at him. "Thank you, Sirius."

"You'll arrive in Dumbledore's office," Sirius told them.

"Let me know when you find anything about that cloak," Harry told him, as Hermione prepared to enter the Floo Network.

"I will," Sirius promised.

"See you," he nodded. "And I'm being careful."

Hermione stared quizzically at him before throwing her handful of powder into the fireplace.

"I'll meet you in the office," she told him.

Harry watched as she disappeared and then he turned to look at his godfather. "I really do like her, Sirius."

Sirius nodded. "I know I don't have to stress the importance of you and her and this assignment..."

"I'm not going to let you down," Harry promised. "I know what this could mean for my future in the department."

"Exactly," Sirius nodded again. "I'm proud you've chosen to stick with this assignment despite a rocky start and I'm also proud that you're putting forth effort. Just make sure that for all the fun you're having with Hermione, you're also putting in that much work."

"I will," Harry said nodding. "You know, you're starting to sound more and more like Remus every day."

"Perish the thought," Sirius made a face. "And don't you ever tell Moony you said that."

Harry laughed. "Okay, old man. Let us know what you found out."

"Will do," Sirius cuffed him on the shoulder. "Behave."

"Not a chance," Harry said mischievously before he stepped into the fireplace.

Dumbledore was waiting for them in his office. "Miss Granger assures me she's feeling better," he nodded at Harry. "And that Mr. Black will be examining the cloak?"

Harry dusted himself off. "Yes, sir."

"Your professors have been alerted that you both may be late due to a meeting with me," Dumbledore said.

Harry and Hermione took their seats.

"I assume you are feeling better, Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asked kindly.

"Yes, sir," Hermione replied. "Much better."

"Good to hear," he smiled. "If you both need anything, you know you can come here. We checked the corridor last night after you both left but found nothing, I'm afraid."

"We'll go up and check again too, sir." Harry said. "We might be able to comb over some of the areas where... where um..."

Hermione looked down at her lap. "Um, we should wait until after class."

"Of course," Harry said quickly.

"And remember, it's not wise for anyone to go walking around the castle alone," Dumbledore reminded them.

"I'll make sure we're always doing rounds together," Harry promised.

The headmaster dismissed them and Hermione was silent as she and Harry made their way to the common room so they could freshen up and retrieve their belongings.

"I'll meet you back in here," Harry said once they'd reached the common room.

Hermione nodded and quickly went upstairs to change into her uniform and grab her books. Thankfully, everyone was already in class so she didn't have to explain where she'd been to Lavender or Parvati.

She couldn't stop thinking about the previous night and what she'd said to Harry and how awkward they were around each other now.

She'd felt so close to him last night and this morning in the library, but now it was like they didn't know what to say to each other.

Meanwhile Harry was also thinking about the previous night. He couldn't help but admit he cared about Hermione.

This--whatever it was---couldn't have come at a worse time. This case was what could make or break his career as an Auror and he didn't need any distractions.

However, he didn't know if he could harden himself against her. Not now.

"Are you ready to go?" Hermione asked from the stairwell.

"Yeah," he forced a smile. "You?"

Hermione nodded. "We're really late."

"I think it'll be okay," he said as he joined her. His resolve immediately weakened as she smiled warmly at him.

"We have a good excuse," Hermione said feeling much better when he took her hand.

"If we've got Dumbledore on our side we can do anything," Harry joked.

"I'm sure you'll love telling Snape that," Hermione said laughing.

"I think that might be fun," Harry said mischievously.

Hermione shook her head. "You could get detention, you know. And you have better things to do with your time than doing that, Harry."

"I don't care about detention," Harry answered.

"What do you care about?" Hermione asked before she could stop herself.

Harry looked at her with a crooked smile. "There are certain things..."

"Would it be safe to assume that--oh never mind," Hermione said hastily quickening her step.

"What?" Harry almost had to run to catch up to her.

"We really are late and I wanted to hear what Binns had to say about the Goblin Revolts," Hermione said with a nervous laugh. "It's going to be on our N.E.W.T.S."

"Hermione," Harry caught her hand. "Are you trying to ask me how I feel about you?"

"Of course not," Hermione said trying to break free.

"Do you want me to be completely honest?" he asked softly.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said quietly.

He tipped her chin back. "I care about you," he said. "This is all new to me Hermione... I've never met anyone quite like you."

Hermione smiled tentatively up at him. "I've never met anyone quite like you before either."

He smiled back. "This is all I can do for now... is that okay?"

"It's okay," Hermione replied. "I mean, it's like you said, we'll figure it out together."

"Right," he squeezed her hand, feeling more relieved than he had all day.

They walked into Professor Binns' class without comment from the professor. But, everyone stared at them and whispered as they walked by.

"What's their problem?" she muttered as they sat down.

"Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we were out all night?" Harry whispered. Ron glared at the two of them and Hermione rolled her eyes.

"It's no ones business but ours," she whispered fiercely.

Ron slipped Harry a note and Harry unfolded the piece of parchment.

You probably don't care, but we have practise this afternoon. Do you think your girlfriend will let you go? You're the captain and you should start acting like it.

Harry rolled his eyes and glared at Ron as he crumpled the note.

Hermione pulled out some parchment and began writing down almost verbatim what Binns was saying.

Harry leaned back in his chair, still really not caring about any sort of exam or homework he had to do.

Even though they didn't have any leads as to the identity of the cloaked figure, Harry couldn't shake the feeling that it was a student.

He tapped his quill on the blank sheet of parchment in front of him.

Hermione scribbled something on a piece of parchment and slipped it to him.

Dumbledore said the professors were going to be doing all night patrols.

He looked at her and wrote his own note. When did that start?

Hermione wrote back: He told me right before you arrived. Apparently, some of the parents are threatening to take their children out of the school. Dumbledore's very worried. I've never seen him like that, Harry.

We'll have to be careful not to run into anyone then. We can't give up on those night patrols. It's our only chance to find anything that can help us solve this. Harry shoved the parchment back at her.

But what if the attacker is a professor? Hermione wrote. This will give them free reign of the grounds.

We'll be careful, Harry scribbled. Sirius might have something that can help us. I'll write to him tonight.

Hermione nodded and pocketed the parchment. Class ended shortly afterwards and before either she or Harry could stand up, Ron had cornered them.

"Not to be pushy or anything, but we've had four practises since the start of the season and you haven't been to a single one," Ron said resting his hands on the table. "Our first match is next weekend and YOU are the captain."

"I've been busy," Harry said, realising he'd forgotten about his supposed position as Quidditch captain.

"You should go," Hermione said to Harry. "I can handle that project of ours."

Harry nodded reluctantly. "Fine."

"I'll catch up with you in Charms," Hermione said. "I wanted to go and ask Professor Binns if he can go over what we missed."

"You'll be okay?" he asked her.

"I'll be fine," she said smiling at him. "Save me a seat in the next class."

"I will," Harry smiled back.

Hermione gathered up her belongings and headed for the front of the classroom. Ron followed Harry out of the room.

"Since you're finally coming to practise," Ron stressed. "You'll probably want to look over our plays."

Harry noticed the dig, but chose to ignore it. "It's with Slytherin, isn't it? The match, I mean?"

"I can't believe you remembered," Ron said sarcastically.

Harry sighed. "If you've got a problem with me just come out and say it."

Ron rolled his eyes. "You've just changed ever since you started this weird relationship with HER."

"My weird relationship with her," Harry repeated. "By her--I assume you mean Hermione?"

"Who else," Ron stated.

Harry stopped and looked at his friend; if that's what you could call someone that you'd only met a few weeks ago and who assumed that he knew you because of some implanted memories.

"And where the hell were you last night?" Ron asked before Harry could respond. "Seamus, Nev and I thought you'd been attacked!"

"I'm fine, as you can see," Harry responded a bit irritably.

"I'm sorry for being concerned about my best mate," Ron retorted.

Harry softened. "Look I'll tell you something but you have to swear not to say anything to anyone."

"What?" Ron asked.

Harry told him an abbreviated tale of what had happened the previous night, leaving out them going to Grimmauld Place.

Ron was speechless and felt a little guilty about the things he'd said to Hermione the previous evening. "They almost had her?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Harry answered. "She was really freaked out so we stayed in um... Dumbledore's office."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," Ron apologised.

"Just don't noise it around," Harry told him.

"I wouldn't," Ron promised. "I guess it's a good thing that you were there, Harry."

"Yeah," Harry finally smiled at him.

"I guess I was also taking out what happened last night to me on you," Ron said as they continued along the corridor toward the Charms classroom.

"What happened to you?" Harry asked curiously.

"Luna Lovegood stood me up," Ron said with a laugh. "Can you believe that?'

"Really?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "But you said she was all sprung on you."

"Well, she is," Ron said quickly. "She apologised this morning at breakfast. Said she was trying to catch up some reading for Divination and fell asleep."

"That sucks," Harry replied. "But at least it's not some other excuse."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, I was glad that it wasn't some other bloke."

"So um..." Harry said as they turned a corner. "Why don't you tell me what's been going on at practise? You're more the captain than I am these days."

"Ginny's been rubbish lately, but I'm hoping that she'll pull it together during the match," Ron told him. "I had her change positions. She's a better beater than you'd have thought. Seamus is helping show her the ropes. And Geoffrey Hooper is a real show-off, but I think he's going to be good for us."

"Okay..." Harry answered. He realised he had no idea what position he was, or Ron for that matter.

"And with me as Keeper and you as Seeker," Ron said with a grin. "We'll murder the Slytherins."

"Right," Harry pumped his fist with a relieved grin. "Slaughter them."

When they walked into the classroom, they found Malfoy flanked as always by Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy Parkinson.

"Scarhead," Malfoy said gleefully. "I have to ask you a question."

"Piss off, small fry," Harry answered disdainfully.

"I haven't seen the Mudblood," Draco drawled. "Please tell me that lunatic grabbed her and did the world a favour?"

Harry felt the anger in him rise so quickly that several of the torches along the walls in the corridor snuff out as a wind whipped past them.

"He's not worth it," Ron said putting a hand on Harry's shoulder to hold him back.

"Draco, tell him that thing you said about her," Crabbe said hitting Draco on the arm.

"Yeah, tell me so I can pound your face in," Harry said furiously, not noticing Hermione as she watched from a distance.

"When you're shagging her," Malfoy said to snickers from his cronies. "Does she---"

Harry grabbed Malfoy by the neck of his robes. "If you finish that sentence--" he threatened.

"You'll what?" Malfoy challenged.

"You don't want me to finish that," Harry said darkly.

"Careful, Scarhead," Malfoy hissed. "Your slag is watching."

Harry turned and saw Hermione quickly approach them. He tightened his hold on Malfoy's collar and smirked as the blond's face began to turn red.

"Let him go, Harry," Hermione urged.

"Yeah and I can tell him how your best friend and your best girl never told you the truth," Malfoy said weakly.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Harry shook him.

"You didn't tell him, did you?" Malfoy asked laughing even though he was finding it hard to breathe. "Granger and Weasley, I'm surprised at you..."

Harry shoved Malfoy back so hard he hit the wall. "What's he talking about?"

"Nothing," Hermione said not looking at Harry.

"He's full of shit," Ron said also looking away.

Malfoy smirked as he collected himself. "These dirty little secrets sure find a way to the surface," he said before Pansy helped him walk away.

"What was he talking about?" Harry asked.

"It was a long time ago," Ron began to explain, his cheeks almost as red as his hair. "And it didn't mean anything..."

10. Chapter 10

Well we got this update to you guys on time. Thanks so much for ALL the reviews for the last chapter- you’ll find out what happened with R/Hr right about now!

Please let us know what you think!!!

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Harry shook him.

"You didn't tell him, did you?" Malfoy asked laughing even though he was finding it hard to breathe. "Granger and Weasley, I'm surprised at you..."

Harry shoved Malfoy back so hard he hit the wall. "What's he talking about?"

"Nothing," Hermione said not looking at Harry.

"He's full of shit," Ron said also looking away.

Malfoy smirked as he collected himself. "These dirty little secrets sure find a way to the surface," he said before Pansy helped him walk away.

"What was he talking about?" Harry asked.

"It was a long time ago," Ron began to explain, his cheeks almost as red as his hair. "And it didn't mean anything..."

"You two dated?" Harry put two and two together.

"No!" Ron and Hermione exclaimed in unison.

"Then what?" Harry asked, confused.

"We might have snogged a few times," Ron muttered.

"It wasn't anything big," Hermione was so red in the face it looked like she might spontaneously combust.

"Yeah," Ron chimed in. "I try to forget about it, to tell you the truth."

Hermione glared at him. "You weren't so great either."

"Me?" Ron asked glaring right back at her. "You slobbered all over me!"

"Only because you forced your tongue down my throat!" she snapped back.

"Okay!" Harry stood between them. "I really don't want to hear about this."

"Sorry," Ron muttered.

"Sorry," Hermione said quietly.

"Look," Harry was a bit exasperated. "I understand you two are different, but for my sake, can you get along? Or at the very least, TRY?"

Hermione looked up at Harry. For his sake, she would try and get along with Ron, even though she couldn't bear the thought of spending any time with him. "I'll try, if he will."

"Fine," Ron agreed a bit quickly. "Can we get to class already?"

"Yes," Harry said walking ahead of them.

Hermione hurried to walk next to him. "You should really watch your anger," she said softly.

"He insulted you," Harry said not looking at her.

"He does it all the time," Hermione answered, touching his arm. "I just ignore him."

"Well, I don't like it," Harry said stopping to look at her. Ron walked ahead not really wanting to witness this sort of thing.

Hermione smiled at him. "I do have to admit its rather nice having someone stand up for me."

Harry shook his head and laughed. "You and Ron?"

"It really wasn't anything," Hermione replied, pushing his shoulder.

"Better not be," Harry said snaking his arms around her waist.

Hermione felt a thrill as he pulled her close. "We're going to be late..."

"I don't care," Harry said nipping at her bottom lip. "And I don't think you do either."

"Not really..." she admitted, leaning in.

Harry pressed his lips to hers, not caring that all around them students were hurrying to their classes.

Her arms worked their way up, her fingers sliding into his hair.

"Come on you two," Ron called out to them. "Flitwick's about to shut the door!"

Hermione pulled back. "Come on..." she pulled on his hand.

"Only you could get me to go in there," Harry grumbled.

"If you promise to make it up to me later, I'll take notes for you," she whispered.

"Deal," Harry whispered back.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Neville was sitting at one of the tables in the common room working on a Charms essay while surreptitiously looking over at Ginny, who was seated on the sofa talking with her friends.

He'd thought that the package would have arrived earlier and he prayed that Ginny would like what he'd bought. She'd admired that royal blue set of dress robes in that magazine and he'd snuck off and purchased them for her last weekend in Hogsmeade. It had taken up all of his monthly allowance but he didn't care. Ginny was worth it.

At that very moment, the voice of one of her friends carried over across the room. "Did you find out yet, Ginny? Those robes had to be from Dean, don't you think? Maybe he wanted to get back together with you."

Ginny shook her head. "There wasn't a card."

"You look totally gorgeous in them," Natalie chimed in.

"Thanks," Ginny blushed.

"Oooh!" Margo Stanford exclaimed suddenly. "What if they’re from Harry? Maybe he wants to get back together with you!"

Neville sighed. It seemed as if his name would never come up. He'd thought perhaps after their date in Hogsmeade, she might be interested in more but they'd hardly had a chance to talk since then.

"You two made such a great couple," Natalie gushed.

Ginny shrugged modestly, but she blushed.

Neville shut his books. "I'll see you guys later..."

"Where are you going?" Seamus asked.

"For a walk," Neville replied tersely.

"You shouldn't go alone," Seamus said earning a death glare in response.

"I'll be fine," Neville said shortly.

Ginny looked up to see Neville stalking out of the common room and she remembered how she'd been looking at that same set of robes when Neville had asked her out. "I-I'll be right back," she told her friends before hurrying out after Neville.

Neville decided to go to the library to finish his essay when he heard a female voice call out his name. For a moment he thought it was Hermione but to his surprise, Ginny was coming towards him.

"Hi," Ginny said smiling nervously at him.

"Hi," Neville said, his tone a bit cooler than he intended.

"Where are you running off to?" Ginny asked.

"Library," Neville replied.

"Oh," Ginny said, wondering why he was being so distant. Unless, he'd heard what Natalie and Margo had said about Harry.

"Look I've got to go," Neville started away. "You shouldn't be out of the dormitory alone."

"I-I was actually heading for the library too," Ginny lied. "Would it be okay if I walked with you?"

Neville shrugged. "It's fine."

"Okay," Ginny said smiling at him.

But he didn't seem to be in any mood to talk. Every attempt she made to engage him in conversation, he cut off with one or two word answers.

"Thank you," Ginny finally said.

"What?" Neville asked.

"For the robes," Ginny said reaching for his hand. "They're beautiful."

Neville stared at her for a moment. "But back in the common room... you... your friends..."

"I didn't know you heard that until I saw you leave," Ginny said. "And then I thought....well I remembered how you'd seen me admiring them in that magazine."

Neville turned red and looked away. "Well... you really liked them so..." he mumbled, reverting back to his shy ways.

"That's the nicest gift anyone's ever given me," Ginny said softly.

"I'm glad you like them," Neville said.

"I loved them," Ginny said leaning in and pecking him on the cheek.

Neville blushed even harder. "I'm glad..." he said, his former misgivings now giving way to a stomach full of butterflies.

"You've always been so nice to me," Ginny said still holding his hand.

Neville decided to be a bit bolder for once in his life. "I've always liked you."

This time it was Ginny's turn to blush. "And I guess I was too busy trying to get Harry to notice me and I missed something that was there all this time."

"He's... he's with Hermione now," Neville said.

"It doesn't bother me as much as it used to," Ginny said looking at him.

"That's... that's good," Neville replied.

Ginny stepped closer. "I think so, too."

Neville swallowed as he realised how close they were standing. "So... um... if I was to ask you to go with me to the next Hogsmeade weekend... would you want to go?"

Ginny had a feeling that Neville wouldn't make the first move and she leaned in and pressed her lips gently to his.

The word shock couldn't even begin to describe what Neville was feeling at that moment.

"My answer is yes," Ginny whispered when they pulled apart.

"Really?" he asked hopefully. "It's not... too much, or too soon?"

Ginny giggled. "No, I think it's just about right, Neville."

"Okay," he said with a grin. "It's a date."

"Are you really going to the library?" Ginny asked.

"I wasn't planning on it until I got out here," Neville said sheepishly.

"I was going to suggest that I show you what my robes look like," Ginny said grinning at him. "But I'd rather show you at the Yule Ball, that is ...if you don't have a date already, that is. I know it's still a way's off..."

"I don't have a date," Neville replied.

"I don't have a date either," Ginny said. "So, we could...you know...go together..."

"Yeah," Neville said immediately. "I'd love to go."

"Great," Ginny said linking her hand in his.

"I'm really glad you like the robes," Neville said shyly.

"They're gorgeous," Ginny gushed. "It must have cost you a fortune..."

He didn't want to mention just how much they'd cost. "I just wanted you to have them," he fiddled with his robes with his free hand.

Ginny beamed at him. "Thank you."

Neville smiled back and pushed his luck by pulling her close and kissing her again.

Ginny was taken by surprise by his actions, but she quickly got over it and returned his kiss. He wasn't bad at this, not at all.

"Mmm..." she said when they pulled apart. "I like doing this with you."

"Me too," Neville said with a goofy grin.

"Come on," she tugged his hand. "You don't need the library."

"No, I suppose not," Neville said following her.

"I can't wait to tell my friends that you were the one who sent me the robes," Ginny added.

"They probably won't be as impressed as they were when they thought it was Harry," Neville said thoughtfully.

"I don't care," Ginny answered.

Neville smiled at her. "Really?"

"I really, really don't care." Ginny said. "If a guy likes me that much, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks."

"I do like you that much," Neville said squeezing her hand.

Ginny was about to reply when a loud snigger was heard. "You can't be serious," Malfoy sneered. "Weasel and Longbottom?"

"My name is Ginny Weasley, not Weasel," Ginny hissed at him. "You Ferret."

"That one hurt," Malfoy said sarcastically.

"Leave us alone, Malfoy," Neville said quietly.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Malfoy asked with a nasty grin.

"Don't you have some first years to terrorise?" Ginny asked him. "Come on, Neville. He's not worth it."

Neville glared at the blond Slytherin, wanting to punch his face in. "Fine..." he answered, turning away with Ginny.

Malfoy snickered. "Run along, ladies."

"Fuck off Malfoy," Ginny whipped out her wand. "Or I'll cast my Bat Bogey Hex on you!"

"Oh aren't you just perfect with your stupid hex," Malfoy sneered.

Ginny aimed her wand at him and was about to say the spell when Neville beat her to it.

Draco's face was masked in shock as the curse hit him.

"Way to go Neville," Ginny said proudly.

Neville glared down at Draco. "Just leave us alone," he stated coldly.

Malfoy didn't say anything as he shakily got to his feet and stumbled back downstairs.

"That was amazing!" Ginny exclaimed wrapping her arms around him.

"I can't believe I did that..." Neville said, laughing in relief.

"I always knew you had it in you," Ginny said proudly. "And you are a Gryffindor, Neville."

"Guess I'm a little braver than I thought," he grinned at her.

Ginny gave him another kiss before they headed back into the common room.

Ron saw his sister come inside hand in hand with Neville and made a beeline for her.

"Hiya, Ron," Ginny said excitedly. "You will not believe that just---"

"What the hell were you doing leaving the common room by yourself?" Ron barked at her. "Bloody hell, don't you know there's some psycho out there hexing people?"

"I wasn't alone," Ginny said grinning sideways at Neville. "I was with Neville and he was with me."

"You left alone," Ron snapped.

"Ease up, Ron," Ginny said shaking her head. "I was just going to catch up to Neville. And I promise you I will not go anywhere by myself."

Ron softened as he looked at his friend. "You'll watch out for her?"

"Of course," Neville promised.

"We're going to be dating now," Ginny told her brother. "And I won't have you doing the overprotective brother routine to him, Ronald Weasley."

"So this means you're over Harry?" Ron asked. "What about... what about Dean?"

"Yes, I'm over Harry," Ginny said. "And I'll always care about Dean, but we'd broken up, Ron."

Ron nodded. "Just be careful out there. You're my only sister Gin. I don't want anything to happen to you."

Ginny gave him a hug. "You be careful, too. I kind of like having you around."

"Say um... did you see Luna at all today?" Ron asked.

Ginny nodded. "She's serving detention tonight with Binns. She fell asleep in class again."

"She shouldn't have to walk back alone," Ron began hurrying towards the door. "I'll go find her..."

"And you shouldn't go out alone," Ginny lectured.

"I'm a prefect," Ron tossed over his shoulder.

Ginny shook her head. "You're a lunatic, Ron!"

"You're jealous," Ron shot back before ducking out the door.

Ron ran downstairs hoping that he'd catch Luna before she left. He'd been thinking about her all day.

His steps were quick as he headed for Professor Binn's class. It was unusual for Binns to hand out detention and he wondered just how often Luna was falling asleep.

"Miss Lovegood," he heard the professor lecturing. "I trust that you realise the value of a good night's sleep."

"Yes sir," Luna said dutifully. "I promise it's not going to happen again. I guess I've been pushing myself too hard."

"I expect you to be in class on time and awake tomorrow," Binns concluded.

"I will be, sir," Luna said stifling a yawn.

"Now, I will make sure that you get back to your dormitory," Binns said.

"I can do it," Ron chimed in from the doorway.

"Thank you Mr. Weasley," Binns floated up from his desk.

"Good evening, Professor," Luna said collecting her books.

"Good night, Miss Lovegood," Binns waved them out.

Luna slung her bag over her shoulder and grinned at Ron. "This is a pleasant surprise," she said to him.

"Well..." he stammered. "I... I didn't want you to walk back alone, not with everything that's going on..."

"Thank you," Luna said softly.

He took her bag and put it over his shoulder. "So you fell asleep again? Studying more Divination were you?"

"Um, all my classes, really," Luna said. "I just want to do well is all."

Ron nodded. "Say um... in a few weekends there's another Hogsmeade visit."

Luna smiled to herself. "Yes, I saw that."

"Well then... doyouwanttogowithme?" Ron asked very quickly.

"You want to run that past me one more time?" Luna asked with a laugh. "I missed that."

Ron exhaled nervously. "Want to go with me?"

"I think I need time to think about it," Luna said trying to keep a straight face.

"Oh," Ron said, visibly let down. "I... understand..."

"Yes," Luna said grinning at him.

"Maybe some other-- wait what?" Ron looked at her.

Luna giggled. "I thought about it and my answer is yes."

Ron grinned. "You're pretty sneaky."

"I just like watching you squirm," Luna said reaching for his hand.

Ron only shook his head, but squeezed her hand. This felt so different than being with Lavender. For one thing, he didn't necessarily feel like he was being false. Luna liked him for who he was.

"How've you been?" Luna asked.

"Busy," Ron replied.

"That's right," Luna said excitedly. "You have that big match coming up this weekend!"

"Against Slytherin," Ron nodded. "So you can imagine how tense practises are. I'm just glad we finally got Harry out there again."

"I've no doubt you'll be fantastic," Luna said dreamily, humming a few bars of "Weasley is Our King".

"That bloody song," Ron groaned.

"Malfoy's version wasn't very original, but I love the lyrics I came up with," Luna said continuing to hum it.

"You came up with lyrics?" Ron asked.

Luna nodded. "I've never told anyone that."

"Can I hear them?" Ron asked interestedly.

"I don't think so," Luna said softly.

"Why not?"

"I'm not that great of a singer," Luna admitted.

"That's okay," Ron answered.

"You promise you won't laugh?" Luna asked him seriously.

Ron held up his free hand. "I promise."

Luna looked over her shoulder to make sure no one was around before she started to sing her version of the song. "Weasley is our King," she began. "He never lets the Quaffle in, Weasley is my king."

"That's---"

Luna held up her hand. "I'm not finished yet..."

"Sorry..." Ron turned red.

"Weasley can save anything," Luna sang. "When I see him fly, it makes my heart sing. Weasley is my king......"

Ron stared at her as she finished.

Luna blushed. "I told you I couldn't sing..."

Ron only shook his head before pulling her to him abruptly and crashing his lips down on hers.

Luna kissed him back just as fervently. She couldn't believe this was actually happening.

Ron pulled out the quill that was holding her hair up and let his fingers run down the length of her strands.

"Mmmm," Luna murmured. "Ronald..."

"Luna..." he muttered.

"Yeah?" Luna asked dreamily.

"You're amazing at this..." he said softly.

"I haven't had that much practise," Luna admitted.

"You don't need it," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

Luna smiled up at him. "I never thought this would happen.'

"Me either," he sent her a shameful smile. "I guess I was sort of too involved with Lavender to see you."

"That doesn't matter now," Luna said after he kissed her once more.

"Right," Ron was still holding her close.

"Ronald?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"We should probably start for the dorms," Luna said though neither of them moved.

"I guess so..." he said reluctantly.

"Oh no!" Luna said touching her chest. "My necklace!"

"What?" Ron looked at her strangely. "What necklace?"

"My cork necklace," Luna explained. "I know I had it on when I left for detention and now it's gone!"

"Oh..." Ron looked around. "I don't see it anywhere..."

Luna looked stricken as she watched Ron looking for her necklace. "I-I'm sorry, but I have to go..."

"Wait!" Ron called. "Luna!"

"I'll see you tomorrow!" Luna called out before racing upstairs.

"But I'm supposed to walk you back!" Ron shouted after her.

"Go back to your dorm, Ronald!" Luna pleaded with him.

Ron was completely flabbergasted. After things had been going so well- she'd just run off.

As if things couldn't get worse, he nearly bumped into Hermione when he turned the corner. "Ron, you're supposed to be on rounds..."

"I am," he countered. "I was walking Luna Lovegood back to her dorm."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Sorry..."

"Where's Harry?" he asked.

"I-I don't know," Hermione lied, not wanting to give away the fact that Harry was hiding underneath his Invisibility Cloak.

"You know, I don't appreciate you telling him I stuck my tongue down your throat," Ron said deciding to take his anger and frustration out on Hermione. "If I remember, it was you that approached me..."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "This is not the time or the place for this discussion."

"Well, for Harry's sake, I hope your technique has improved," Ron scoffed.

"Would you please just finish your rounds?" Hermione asked, crossing her arms. "I don't think that's too much to ask."

"Fine," Ron grumbled. "You know you sure are bossy..."

"If that's what it takes to keep you in line," Hermione said sharply.

"I'm going," Ron said before stalking away.

Harry pulled off the cloak. “What’s wrong with him?”

Hermione shrugged. "He's impossible..."

"For the record, your technique definitely has improved," Harry said softly.

Hermione nudged him. "It helps when you care about the person you're kissing."

"I suppose it does," Harry reigned in his hormones. "We should keep going."

"Did you hear back from Sirius yet?" Hermione asked as they continued down the corridor.

"No," Harry answered. "I'm sure he'll send me an owl back by tomorrow."

"This is so frustrating," Hermione said. "I keep looking for some sort of pattern and I can't seem to find one. The only thing that comes close to a pattern is the fact that no Slytherins have been attacked so far."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. He'd thrown the cloak back over himself but stayed no more than two steps behind Hermione.

Hermione stepped on something and she knelt down to see what it was. "It's some sort of...necklace..."

Harry bent down and retrieved it. "It's a bunch of corks..."

"Luna," Hermione said. "She's the only one I know who would wear one."

"I guess she dropped it when she was walking around during school hours," Harry handed it to Hermione who stuffed it in her pocket.

"I'll give it back to her tomorrow in the Great Hall," Hermione said.

"Let's head over that way," Harry pointed to a darkened corridor. "I'll let you wear the cloak."

Hermione was more than a little wary about going down another darkened corridor, given what had happened the last time they'd done that. "Um, okay...”

"This time nothing will happen to you," Harry said handing the cloak to her.

It was a promise he couldn't make, but she appreciated the gesture just the same. Hermione draped the cloak over herself.

"I'll go first," Harry said. "Just don't stay more than two steps behind me."

"Okay," Hermione said quietly, doing just as he asked.

Harry had his wand out and ready as they moved slowly into the darkened area.

Hermione could hear her heart beating fast while she followed Harry. She tried to summon her Gryffindor courage.

Harry felt her grasp his hand from underneath the cloak. "Nothing here..." he whispered.

"C-can we get out of here?" Hermione stammered.

"Yeah..." Harry began backing out. "There's nothing here."

Hermione practically ran back into the lighted corridor. She pulled the cloak off of her and tried to catch her breath.

Harry followed her out a moment later. "Hey," he said, reaching out for her. "Are you all right?"

Hermione nodded. "It was just a bit too much."

"It's all right," he wrapped his arms around her.

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Harry felt extremely protective of her in that moment.

"I thought I was over it," Hermione said softly.

"Sometimes it takes awhile," Harry said. "Something like that happened to me when I was about fourteen. I was on my first case with Sirius and it plagued me for months. You'll be all right soon."

Hermione looked at him. "What happened?"

"We were after this guy... we were tracking him and he grabbed me. I thought I was done for when Sirius managed to tackle him down." Harry shrugged.

"I can't imagine that happening to you," Hermione said wiping at her eyes. "You're the bravest person I've ever met."

"I'm not that brave," he sent her a crooked smile.

"You are," Hermione said smiling up at him. "Harry, I can't tell you what it meant to me the other night...I wouldn't have made it through without you."

He tucked her hair behind her ear and felt another feeling inside of him- this one was far more insistent than just being protective.

"No matter what happens," she whispered. "I wanted you to know that."

He nodded. "Let's do a few more corridors then call it a night."

"Harry?"

"Yeah?" he asked her.

"W-would it be okay if...well, if I stayed with you again tonight?" she asked tentatively.

"Um... sure..." he said. "Can girls even get up in the guy's dorms?"

"Lavender used to sneak in with Ron all the time," Hermione told him.

"I prefer not knowing about that," Harry said with a grin.

"I used to lecture her about it," Hermione said shaking her head. "Now I'm a hypocrite."

Harry smirked knowingly at her.

Hermione kissed him. "I just want to be close to you tonight."

"We can arrange that," Harry said huskily.

Hermione held up his cloak. "I can use this to sneak in. And I'm sure you know a silencing charm, right?"

"One of the first things I learned," Harry nodded.

Hermione took his hand and together they set off to check one last corridor not noticing that the cloaked figure was watching them from behind one of the stone pillars.

"Soon..." the figure choked out in a raspy voice.

11. Chapter 11

Due to Grey’s shock, we almost forgot to update again *blush* But we slipped in, just under the wire ;) This one has a bit of a twist in events, and we hope you guys like it! Please don’t forget to review!!!

By the time they made it back to the common room, Hermione was feeling much better. She promised Harry she'd meet him in his bedroom in a few minutes. She needed to change into her pyjamas and brush her teeth.

She placed Luna's necklace on her clothing she'd wear that next day so she wouldn't forget to give it back to the blonde.

Lavender sat up in bed and blearily looked at Hermione. "Where are you going?"

Hermione jumped. "What are you doing up?" she asked, dodging the question.

"I heard you come in," Lavender said rubbing at her eyes.

"I'm just going down to study for awhile," Hermione lied.

Lavender smirked. "Let me guess what you're studying? Hmm.... a certain raven-haired boy's anatomy?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You have a one track mind."

"Mmmhmm," Lavender said giggling. 'Well, you just be careful, Hermione. And I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night," Hermione pulled her hangings around her bed before grabbing Harry's cloak and leaving the room. She silently went across the corridor to the boys dormitory, noticing that Harry had left the door open a crack.

Her hands were shaking as she pushed open the door and stepped inside. She could hear Neville's snoring and she shook her head. He was nearly as loud as Parvati.

"Harry?" she whispered, not knowing which bed was his.

He smiled as he heard her voice and drew back the hangings on his bed. "Over here," he whispered.

She pulled the cloak off and set it on the edge of the bed before climbing inside next to him.

"Not much room," Harry apologised.

"It's okay," she said sliding under the covers. "I like it this way."

"I like you this way," Harry said softly pulling her close.

Hermione had hoped it would turn into this but tried to convince herself not to expect it.

"You know," Harry said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "You're the best part about this place."

She blushed and smiled at him. "I'm glad you finally realised how good it is here."

Harry kissed her. "I should listen to you more often."

Hermione nodded. "I fully agree."

Grinning at her, Harry slipped his right hand underneath her pyjama top.

Hermione sucked in her breath and was thankful she'd put the charm on herself while in the loo.

"Hermione," Harry whispered.

She bent down and kissed him, running her hands over his shoulders.

He loved the way she felt; the way she trusted him. He hadn't lied to her when he told her she was the best part of Hogwarts for him.

She was already heated up as her body began to move on top of his.

Harry smiled at her assertiveness. If she wanted to be in charge, who was he to complain. He tugged at the hem of her top.

Hermione raised up her arms so he could take it off.

Harry did so, tossing it to the floor. He pulled her down and claimed her lips again.

"Mmm..." she let out a moan.

That nearly sent him over the edge. "Hermione..."

She pushed herself up on her hands and looked down at him. "Harry... I want you..."

"I want you too," he said smiling up at her.

She nodded as she reached down to tug at his boxers.

"Hurry, sweetheart," Harry told her. "I don't know if I can hold out much longer..."

Bolstered by what he'd just said, she tugged his boxers off with one fell swoop. "Okay?" she asked, running her hand over his cheek.

"Better than okay," he said smiling at her. "Are you...?"

"Yes," Hermione answered breathlessly as she arched her back.

Harry positioned her as he wanted and groaned as she guided him inside.

Hermione bit her lower lip as she felt him enter her body. "Harry..." she whimpered.

He didn't think he'd ever forget the way she'd just said his name and he had to stare up at her in amazement for a few moments. "Move with me," he whispered to her.

She nodded wordlessly as he put his hands on her hips.

Harry pulled her down so he could kiss her.

Her hands explored his chest, shoulders and her fingers worked up into his hair as their bodies moved together.

"Hermione," Harry said again, his voice strained.

"Yes Harry," she managed to utter his name.

He rolled them over. "I can't get enough of you," he said before kissing her.

"Me either," she said, digging her heels into his side as his mouth moved over her shoulder.

They were both happy for the silencing charm as Harry thrust deeper and faster into her.

Hermione let out a strangled moan as her entire body seemed to feel like it was on fire. "HARRY!"

Harry cried out his own release and then collapsed on top of her. He was at a complete and utter loss for words at what they'd just done.

Hermione was breathless as they lay next to each other. She didn't quite know what to say.

Harry smiled at her as he brushed a strand of hair off her forehead. "Okay?"

"Yeah," she answered, turning so she could put her arm across his chest. "That was incredible..."

"You are incredible," Harry said pulling her close.

She closed her eyes as he kissed her again. Part of her wished she wasn't so much in love with him, but when he was like this, it was hard not to feel this way.

"You've ruined me," he said with a throaty laugh. "I'm not going to want to sleep alone anymore."

"Me either," Hermione whispered, snuggling into his side.

He sighed contentedly and ran his hand up and down her arm. "What are you thinking about?" he asked.

"You," she admitted.

"Good things, I hope," Harry said softly.

"Very good things," Hermione smiled at him.

"So, Neville and Ron were talking about that ball they have at Christmas," Harry said, surprising himself for even bringing it up. Truth be told, he hoped he wasn't here at Christmas, but with the way the investigation was going, chances are he would be.

"The Yule Ball?" Hermione asked. "Yeah... it was so popular that Dumbledore decided to make it a yearly thing."

"I wonder if they'll still have it with everything that's happened," Harry said thoughtfully.

"It's rather nice," Hermione answered. "Although... I really usually just go to keep an eye on things. I've never been asked."

"I'm not much for things like that either," Harry said closing his eyes.

"Oh," Hermione felt slightly disappointed. She'd rather hoped he was going to stick around and ask her to go, but it all seemed rather silly.

"But, it might be a good opportunity to you know do surveillance," Harry said rubbing her arm again. "We could keep an eye on everything..."

"Right," she said quickly. "If this case lasts that long."

"It might," Harry said. "Our cloaked friend seems to be one step ahead of us at all times."

"That really frustrates me," Hermione forgot about the Ball and their current relationship for a moment. "I mean... nothing ever stumps me. Until now."

"We'll figure it out," he reassured her. "We have to."

"I know," she nodded.

Harry closed his eyes, feeling quite knackered. "Hermione?" he asked sleepily.

"Hm?" she asked.

"Would you do me the honour of going to the ball with me?" Harry asked her, his eyes still closed.

"What?" Hermione lifted her head, not sure if she'd heard him right.

"You don't have to," Harry said opening his eyes. "I just thought ...you know...."

She kissed him. "I'd love to..."

"So, it's a date then?" Harry asked.

"A date," Hermione said with a smile.

"You'd better not try and take advantage of me," he teased her.

"Oh look who's talking," Hermione laid back down, her head on his shoulder.

"I don't know who you're talking about," Harry said innocently. "I am a perfect gentleman."

"For the most part," Hermione pressed her lips to his skin.

"You're the bad influence," Harry said tickling her side.

"I was perfectly innocent until I met you," Hermione giggled as she swatted his hand away.

"And snogging Ron Weasley," Harry said earning a punch in his chest. "Hey!"

"Don't remind me," she said, poking him once more for good measure.

"Okay," Harry said giving her a lingering kiss.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him, not wanting the night to end.

"No bad dreams," he said holding her close. "I'm here and I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Hermione nodded as she slid her arm across his bare chest. "Thank you Harry."

"You don't have to thank me," he said softly. "I like having you here. I told you...I think I'm going to want to do this every single night now. You've spoiled me."

"Every single night?" she asked. "Really?"

"If you want," Harry said giving her a kiss.

Hermione nodded. "I have a feeling I'm going to get very good at sneaking in here."

"Breaking rules can be fun," Harry said closing his eyes again.

"More fun than I ever realised," Hermione laid her head down on his chest again. "Good night Harry..."

"Good night, sweetheart," Harry whispered.

Bolstered yet again by his words, she waited until she was sure he was asleep before whispering, "I love you Harry..."

She closed her eyes and before long, she had fallen asleep. Harry opened his eyes and wondered what in the world he was doing. He couldn't have heard her right---she loved him? They barely knew each other.

Frankly, what she had said scared the hell out of him. He'd always tried to be careful to keep people at an arm's length.

Other than Sirius and to some extent Lupin, he'd kept pretty much to himself. And now, he had friends his own age and a girl that he cared about. But, it wasn't love. It couldn't be love.

*** *** ***

Hermione awoke the next morning with her arm still draped across Harry's chest. He was breathing steadily, his eyes still shut tight.

As carefully and quietly as she could, she slid from his arms and pulled the hangings aside a bit so she could see if anyone else was awake.

To her dismay, Ron, Seamus and Neville were bustling about the room trying to get ready for that morning's classes.

"Nev, you better not leave Ginny alone," Ron was saying. "You go everywhere with her and make sure she's okay. I don't want that nutcase getting my sister."

"Ron," Seamus looked at his friend. "Quit badgering him, all right?"

"Ease up, Ron," Neville said. "I promise I won't leave her alone. I'd do anything to protect her."

Ron nodded. "Okay then."

"Someone gonna wake up Harry?" Neville asked.

Hermione's eyes grew large.

Ron cast a look towards the bed and Hermione sat back, waking up Harry with a start.

"What is it?" he grumbled.

"Everyone's awake," she whispered.

"Hmmm," Harry murmured closing his eyes again.

"They're going to check on you!" Hermione prodded his shoulder. "And I can't find your cloak!"

He couldn't understand what the big deal was and he pulled back the covers. "Get under here then."

"But--" Hermione tried to object.

"If you don't want them to see you," he interjected.

She sighed and quickly climbed back in next to him.

"Sleeping Beauty, you gonna spend all day in here?" Ron asked pulling back the hangings.

Harry glared at him. "I didn't realise you wanted to see me starkers, Weasley."

"Yeah, it's all I've ever wanted," Ron said sarcastically.

"I knew it," Harry said lazily, reaching for his glasses then pushing the covers back.

"I'm sure your girlfriend's dying to see you," Ron said with a laugh. "You can make goo-goo eyes at each other over your porridge."

"Whatever," Harry grabbed his boxers and trousers. "Would you lot go and let me get dressed in peace?"

"Fine," Ron said grabbing his bag. "We'll catch up to you downstairs."

As soon as they were gone Hermione pushed back the duvet. "Finally!"

"I guess we should have set an alarm or something," Harry said standing up and stretching.

Hermione was unable to keep her eyes from his body. "Yeah..." she answered absently.

Harry yawned and wished he could run out of this room after his roommates. He couldn’t get over what she'd said to him last night when she thought he was asleep.

Hermione picked up her own clothes and started to get dressed. "I've got to go back to my room before we head down for breakfast. I want to give Luna back her necklace."

"Yeah," Harry said quietly.

She didn't seem to notice his tone. "Today sometime I want to go through those books I took from your library as well."

"Whatever," he said. "Um, will you be okay by yourself? I'm going to run to the loo---"

"I should be fine," Hermione answered. "Wait for me in the common room?"

Harry opened his mouth to tell her no, but he couldn't help himself at the look in her eyes. "Um, sure."

Hermione smiled tentatively at him. "I'd kiss you but I fear what my breath must smell like. Comes from having dentists for parents."

Harry couldn't help smiling back at her. "Mine too. I mean, my parents weren't dentists, but I imagine my breath doesn't smell that great either..."

Great, Harry thought, now I've turned into a blubbering idiot.

"I'll see you in about fifteen minutes," Hermione finally found his cloak.

"Right," Harry said forcing a smile at her.

Hermione tossed the cloak over herself and left the boys dormitory.

It didn't take her long to change into her uniform, brush her teeth and get her belongings together. She made sure she had Luna's necklace before walking out of the room.

She was the first to arrive in the common room and she sat on the edge of the sofa to wait for Harry.

One day, she hoped to be able to tell him how she really felt without having to worry that he could hear her. She didn't want to scare him off. And a part of her wanted to hear him say it first, before she said those three little words.

While she waited, she took Luna's necklace out of her pocket to look at it. Some of the corks on it were incredibly old- they were crumbling a bit and one of them was a bit flat, probably due to Harry stepping on it.

She wondered if it had some sort of sentimental value for Luna since she rarely saw the blonde without it.

"Where did you get that?" a voice made Hermione look up and she saw Ron staring at the necklace.

"Oh," Hermione said. "I found it last night during my rounds."

Ron held his hand out. "Let me have it."

Hermione stared at him. "Why?"

"I'd like to give it back to Luna," Ron replied.

"I can give it to her," Hermione said coolly.

"Will you just let me have it?" Ron asked impatiently.

"Why should I?" Hermione asked bitterly. "You can't even ask politely."

Ron sighed. "Will you PLEASE let me have it?"

Hermione was tempted to hold onto the necklace but reached into her pocket. "Just tell her we found it near the entrance to the Potions class corridor."

"Thanks," Ron said taking it from her.

"You're welcome," Hermione turned a bit, hoping Harry would come down soon.

"Did you sleep well last night?" Ron asked with a smirk.

"Why do you ask?" Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"Just curious," Ron said winking at her before he left the common room.

Hermione didn't understand his look. He couldn't possibly know she had spent the night in Harry's bed, could he?"

"Ready to go?" Harry asked from behind her.

She jumped. "Yeah..."

"You seem a little distracted," Harry said offering her his hand. "Everything okay?"

"It's just Ron," she took his hand. "He can just be so... so... strange."

"You just noticing this now?" Harry asked.

Hermione gave him a look. "He demands I give him Luna's necklace and then he asks me how I slept last night. Then he WINKED at me! I just don't understand him."

Harry chuckled. "He probably figured out you were the reason I wasn't up and ready to go this morning, so to speak."

"I guess," Hermione wasn't convinced. "I don't want him knowing about this. I'm a prefect- I'm supposed to set standards for everyone else."

"It's not a big deal," Harry tried to reassure her. But, that was obviously the wrong thing to say.

"Yes it is a big deal," Hermione looked at him. "If everyone knows what we're doing, then they'll never listen to me. Everyone will feel like they have free run of the castle!"

"You're acting like this is my fault," Harry said glaring at her. "You know, I didn't force you to come into my room last night."

"It's not your fault," Hermione said quietly. "I'm just afraid of getting caught is all. Maybe we should cool it a bit."

Even though she'd given him an out just then, he didn't take it. "Playing it safe?"

"Just a little," Hermione said softly.

"If that's what you want," Harry said with a shrug.

She pulled her hand out of his reluctantly, a bit upset that he didn't seem to be putting up a fight. "We can really just put forth our effort into the case."

"The case," Harry mumbled.

"Yeah, she answered, walking a bit faster. "You know, I think I'll skip breakfast. I'm going to the library to do some research before classes today."

"Okay then," Harry said not looking at her. "I'm going to catch up to Dumbledore. I'll see you in class."

Tears stung her eyes but she didn't let them fall as she rushed away. Last night had been wonderful, but this morning had been nothing but confusion. Hermione resolved to put this out of her head for now and worry about it later.

In the Great Hall, Ron looked around for Luna finally spotting her sitting near the end of the Ravenclaw table. He was going to find out the real reason she'd ran off on him like she had last night.

"Hey," he said when he approached her.

Luna looked up at him. "Ronald..."

"You okay?" he noticed how tired she looked.

"I'm okay," she said smiling at him.

"I have something you might be really happy to see," he held out the necklace.

"Wherever did you find it?" Luna asked taking it from him.

"Actually, Hermione had it. She said she found it near the entrance to the Potions corridor," Ron told her as she fastened it on.

"I never thought I'd see it again," Luna said suddenly tearing up.

Ron smiled at her. "I'm glad we got it back."

"Thank you," Luna said wiping at her eyes. "And I'll have to find Hermione to thank her as well."

Ron only shrugged. "So can I sit down?" he asked.

"Of course," Luna said .

Ron slid onto the bench beside her and was quiet for a few moments. "So um... last night..."

"What about it?" Luna asked watching as he loaded his plate with waffles.

"When you sort of ran off," Ron answered. "Was it something I said? Or did?"

"Of course not," Luna replied. "I just had a lot on my mind, Ronald. Things have been so crazy these past few weeks. "

"Oh yeah?" he asked.

"I haven't been sleeping well," Luna said softly. "And I don't think there's enough hours in the day to get all my work finished. All I want to do is take a long kip."

"Do you need help?" Ron asked. "I'm no super student, but I've already taken a lot of the things you have. I could help you."

She smiled adoringly at him. "That's so sweet."

He liked her- liked her a lot. "Well..." Ron sat up straighter. "Just let me know when you need me."

Luna flung her arms around him and hugged him tightly. "You're the sweetest boy in the entire world."

Ron turned red as several students stared over at them.

"I wish I could tell you everything," Luna whispered.

"Everything?" he asked quizzically.

"Someday I will," Luna said resting her head on his shoulder.

"But... about what?" he took a huge bite of his waffle.

"Not now," Luna said softly. "I can't---"

She was interrupted by a nasty scoff. "So, Weasel boy has fallen for Loony Lovegood," Malfoy was standing in front of them with a smirk.

"Hello, Draco," Luna said warmly. "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"

Draco looked at her as if she'd sprouted a second head. "I don't care about the weather Loony."

"You really should," Luna said tossing her hair over her shoulder. "You have a match coming up and you should practise."

"I don't need to practise," Draco glared at her. "Maybe Weasel here needs to get his arse on the pitch though..."

"Why don't you go away?" Ron asked through clenched teeth. "And leave us alone? I'd hate to kick your arse across the room in front of your minions."

"I'd like to see you try, Weasel." Malfoy sneered.

Luna stood up. "Don't, Ronald. You should feel sorry for Draco. I've done a lot of reading on the dynamics of childhood psychology. I think the reason that Draco acts the way he does is to cover up his own fears and inadequacies. He's trying to make up for the love he never received as a child..."

Everyone around them stopped what they were doing and were completely still.

"What the hell did you just say?" Draco asked her.

Luna smiled at him. "I just think if you opened up, you could make some real friends, Draco."

Draco glared at her. "Weasley, you'd better shut her up..."

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Ron asked, enjoying himself.

Luna folded her arms and looked at Draco with compassion. "You're a scared little boy, Draco. You're mean to Ron and the other Gryffindors but you only react that way because you want what they have. Friendship, bravery, loyalty. Those are things you claim to disdain, but what you secretly covet. "

"You're weird," Draco snapped at her. "That's not what I want at all!"

Luna smiled at him. "It's okay to admit it. It won't make you less of a man. I saw you in the library, you know? You were looking at Ginny Weasley and I could tell..."

"WHAT?" Ron roared, standing up.

"He fancies her, but he's afraid of what his friends will think because she's beneath him," Luna said wisely.

"That's not true!" Draco retorted, his cheeks turning red.

Across the room, Neville was hearing every word of this and also stood up.

"You watched her for a few minutes and then got to your feet to say hello to her, but Dean came in and you looked so hurt," Luna said softly. "I felt so bad for you."

"Shut up!" Draco hollered at her, so red in the face he looked as if he were going to start steaming.

"I know how it feels to watch someone you care about be with someone else," Luna said putting her hand on his arm.

"Don't touch me," Draco shoved her away.

"You stay away from my sister!" Ron yelled shoving Draco back.

"I wouldn't touch her," Draco balled up his fists.

Ginny, who had just walked into the Great Hall, saw her brother, Neville and Luna standing in the back with Draco Malfoy of all people. She hurried through the crowd.

"What's going on?" she asked, causing Draco and Ron to turn and look at her. Something about the way Draco Malfoy was looking at her, made her blush.

"Get out of here Ginny," Ron said, blocking her view of the blond. "Just go, all right?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Will someone please tell me what's going on?"

"I'll tell you, later." Neville looked over at her.

"I haven't got time for this," Malfoy said glaring at Ron. "Just stay the hell away from me!"

"Then you stay the hell away from us!" Ron snapped. "And away from my sister if you know what's good for you."

"Me?" Ginny asked. "What does this have to do with me?"

"He fancies you," Luna told her dreamily.

Ginny wasn't sure she'd heard her right. "W-what?"

"Get out of here Malfoy," Ron advanced on him angrily.

Malfoy looked menacingly at both Ron and Luna before turning on his heel. He met Ginny's eyes and for a moment looked as if he was going to say something, but he pushed past her and stalked out of the hall.

Ron looked at his sister immediately. "You tell me if he does anything." he said.

Ginny nodded, still confused about what the hell was going on here.

"Come on, Ginny," Neville said reaching for her arm. "Let's go and get some breakfast."

"Fine..." Ginny agreed, staring at the door Malfoy had disappeared through.

"You look really lovely today," Neville said trying to get her mind off of all this.

Ginny seemed to snap out of her daze. "I do?" she asked. "I thought I looked awful. I feel as if I hardly slept at all last night."

"You always look beautiful," Neville said shyly.

She smiled at him as they sat down. "I went up to see Dean," she admitted.

"Any improvement?" Neville asked.

Ginny shook her head. "Part of me feels so guilty and I don't know why."

"That wasn't your fault," Neville reassured her.

"I still feel guilty," Ginny answered. “Like I did something, or could have…”

Neville reached for her hand and gave her a squeeze. "It's going to be okay."

"I hope so," Ginny said, rubbing at her eyes with her free hand.

"Sleepy?" Neville asked.

She nodded.

"Were you up late thinking about me?" Neville asked hopefully.

"I don't know," Ginny was starting to feel a bit snappish. "I just was doing homework and I sort of passed out for awhile. Then I woke up in my room, but I can't remember how I got there."

Neville was taken aback at her tone. "Ginny, maybe you should--"

"Neville I'm fine," Ginny insisted, but in a gentler tone.

"I just worry about you," Neville said softly leaning in and giving her a kiss.

Ginny closed her eyes as she pressed her lips back to his.

"Have either of you seen Harry?" Hermione asked slamming a giant tome down on the table startling both Neville and Ginny.

Ginny glared at her. "You mean you let him out of your sight?" she asked a bit snidely.

Hermione rolled her eyes. She would have thought Ginny would finally be over her animosity toward her. "Have you seen him or not?" Hermione asked impatiently.

Neville shook his head. "No we haven't, Hermione. Is everything okay?"

"Not really," she answered.

"Anything we can do to help?" Neville offered.

Hermione shook her head. "Thanks, but this is something I really need to talk to him about. If you see him, will you please tell him I'm looking for him?"

"We will," Neville smiled at her.

Hermione smiled back at him before picking up her book and hurrying out of the Great Hall.

"She is such a superior cow," Ginny said shaking her head. "What Harry sees in her, I'll never know."

Neville sighed. "Well, she's always been a great friend to me. I wouldn't have passed half of my classes without her help."

"I'm sure you'd have done fine," Ginny waved her hand dismissively.

Neville chuckled. "I'm not so sure."

"Think about it," Ginny said. "She may be book smart, but she has zero people skills."

"Ginny," Neville said. "I don't think that's true."

"That's your opinion," Ginny took a glass of juice. "Not mine. She and I have never gotten along, and probably never will."

"So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree," Neville said quietly. "Where Hermione is concerned."

"Guess so," Ginny shrugged, yawning.

"Look," Neville said looking at his watch. "I need to go to the greenhouses before my first class. I'll catch up to you at lunch, okay?"

"Sure," Ginny replied, really too tired to care right now.

Neville gave her a quick kiss. "I'll see you."

"Bye," Ginny smiled at him.

After he'd gone, Ginny finished her breakfast and decided that she'd skive off her first lesson. She could barely keep her eyes open. She grabbed her bag and told Natalie that she'd see her in Potions.

She walked out of the Great Hall and down the corridor to the staircase and was surprised when she saw Malfoy sitting on one of the steps. He glared up at her. "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing," Ginny said with a smirk.

Draco stood up and dusted off his trousers. "Shouldn't you be going to class?"

"Don't worry about me," Ginny went to walk past him. "I'm a big girl."

Draco nodded appraisingly at her. "You certainly have grown up."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ginny asked, arching her eyebrow.

"Nothing," Draco said stepping closer. "Weaslette."

"Stay away from me," Ginny said disdainfully.

"Is that what you want?" he asked huskily.

"Yeah it is," Ginny said, moving backwards.

"Okay then," Draco said with a shrug.

Ginny watched him as he stood up. "Were you waiting for me?" she couldn't resist asking.

"Would you care if I was?" Draco asked her.

"Of course not," Ginny said, not sure if she was lying or not.

"The truth is," Draco said his grey eyes looking into hers. "That I've been watching you for quite some time."

"You... you have?" she stammered.

"You're intriguing," Draco said seeing that he was getting to her.

Ginny didn't say a word as he drew closer.

"Ginny," he said softly.

She never realised it, but his eyes were actually quite mesmerizing. They weren't grey, but more silver.

He pulled her close. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do this," he said before kissing her.

12. Chapter 12

*Yawn* well at least we remembered to update on time ;) Don’t forget, next Saturday we’ll be starting Last Dance back up, and also, please check out What I Like About You for a fun read!

Thanks so much for all your reviews- we’ve been slacking off lately in responses but both of us have been extremely busy with RL duties. And Grey’s Anatomy of course!

Ginny gasped in surprise but found herself responding.

He pulled her even closer, liking the feel of her in his arms. He had thought his secret was safe, but somehow that crazy Lovegood had figured it out.

Ginny kissed him back for several moments before pulling away. "Wait..."

"What?" he asked not ready to let her go. "What's wrong?"

"Neville," Ginny answered, shrugging out of his arms.

"Longbottom?" Draco asked. "Come on..."

"No," Ginny said. "He's a nice guy."

"He's boring," Draco said reaching for her again. "You'll never be satisfied with him."

Ginny stepped back towards the stairs. "No."

"Fine," Draco said laughing. "Lie to yourself all you want, but you kissed me back just them. You ever been kissed like that before?"

"None of your business," Ginny snapped.

Draco leaned in. "I'll be in the Astronomy Tower tonight at eight. If you wanted to join me...."

"No," Ginny said quickly.

"Just think about it," he whispered.

Ginny shook her head but he cupped her face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers again for a moment before walking away.

Ginny stood there in a daze. What had just happened?

*** *** ***

Because of her early morning research, Hermione just barely made it to her class on time. She struggled to catch her breath as she made her way to the desk she shared with Harry. Not surprisingly, he was leaning back in the chair, his eyes closed.

"You're never going to believe what I found," she whispered to him.

"Huh?" he asked, cracking an eye open.

Hermione pulled her History of Magic text out along with the book she'd borrowed from his library. "I found out the name of the wizard who used the Draught of the Living Death to try and harvest souls," she whispered back.

"You what?" Harry asked loudly.

A few of their classmates turned around to see what was going on and Hermione sunk lower in her chair. Harry waited a few moments before he asked her again.

"You what?" he asked in a quieter tone.

"I found out his name," she said in a low whisper. "Malcolm Alderton, born in 1734."

"What else did you find out about him?" Harry whispered back.

"Nothing yet," Hermione said. "I came here soon as I saw his name."

"Alderton," Harry said thoughtfully. "I've heard that name somewhere before..."

"Now that we know, we can send the name to Sirius and look up some more information on him," Hermione said eagerly.

He smiled at her enthusiasm. "Good work, Granger."

"Thanks," she blushed.

"I'm sorry about earlier," he whispered.

"What?" she asked in surprise.

"This morning," he said. "I should have been...well, I could have been a little more understanding about you not wanting the others to know you were in there with me."

"I didn't mean to overreact--" Hermione began.

"You didn't," Harry interjected. "I was being an arse to you. I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it.

He'd thought a lot about what she'd said to him last night and it did scare the hell out of him. But, despite his efforts to pull away, whenever he was with her, he couldn't help himself. "So, does this mean you're not going to be back tonight?" he asked flirtatiously.

Hermione shook her head but her lips were turned up. "You're incorrigible."

"It's your fault," he whispered back. "I told you that you ruined me."

"I think it's the other way around," Hermione looked at him out of the corner of her eye.

"I've ruined you?" he asked. "How?"

Hermione bit her lower lip to keep from grinning. "Now I won't be a virgin on my wedding night."

Harry chuckled. "I'm not sorry about that. Are you?"

"Hardly," Hermione moved her chair a bit closer as she stuck the library book into her bag.

Harry stretched his arm around her chair and smiled at her.

She flipped her page on her History of Magic text and grinned when she felt Harry peer over her shoulder. "Are you actually listening to the lecture, Potter?"

"Yeah, every single word," Harry said innocently.

"Right," Hermione said, settling back.

"We still on for rounds tonight?" Harry asked her.

"Every night," Hermione nodded.

"It's been awhile now since someone was attacked," Harry said. "But I hardly think our culprit has given up."

"They're probably just biding their time," Hermione agreed quietly.

"The Quidditch match this weekend would be a prime opportunity," Harry commented.

Hermione nodded thoughtfully then reached for her quill and wrote that down. "We should tell Dumbledore what we suspect."

Harry nodded. "He told me this morning when I spoke to him that Aurors will be patrolling the grounds at the match."

"Wow," Hermione said softly. "I'll um... I'll need to send an owl to Sirius with the name I found."

Harry nodded. "And you'll need to be patrolling the grounds as well during the match. I doubt you'll have to watch out for the Slytherins since none of them have been attacked."

"What about you?" Hermione asked.

"Unfortunately, I have to play in the bloody match," Harry said. "But I'll have a good view of everything on my broom."

"Oh," Hermione replied. "Well um... would it be okay then if I borrowed your cloak?"

"Sure," Harry replied. "Good idea."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "That'll help."

Harry knew she wanted to get back to the lecture and he leaned back in his chair looking as if he was paying attention. He wished he had his cloak with him now. He'd snuggle underneath it with Hermione. Just the thought of it made him grin.

He wasn't aware that she was watching him. "What?" she poked him in the side.

"Nothing," he said trying to steady his chair.

"You shouldn't be so afraid of learning something," Hermione told him.

"I have learned plenty since I've been here," he said.

"I'm sure you have," she whispered dryly.

"I have," Harry said touching her leg underneath the desk. "Like, certain prefects like it when I do...this..."

Hermione sucked in her breath sharply.

Harry looked to the front of the classroom to make sure Binns was preoccupied before he moved his hand higher up on her thigh.

"Harry..." she whimpered softly.

"Yes, Hermione?" he asked impishly.

"You're awful," she answered, placing her hand on top of his.

"It's a good thing you can't read my mind right now," he whispered in her ear.

"Harry!" she said, a bit louder than she meant to.

"Miss Granger?" Professor Binns called on her. "Is something wrong?"

"No sir," Hermione said her face so red it was nearly purple.

"Mr. Potter, how about you?" Professor Binns asked. "Can you tell me why the Goblin Revolt of 1774 failed?"

"Um..." Harry straightened up as he was put into the spotlight.

"Perhaps you and Miss Granger would like to write an essay on it for me," Professor Binns said angrily. "Two feet of parchment on that very topic."

"Yes sir," Harry muttered.

"Sir," Hermione said raising her hand. "The Goblin Revolt failed when Eargit the Ugly told the Wizarding Council about the planned attack."

Professor Binns softened. "Well... since Miss Granger knows the answer..."

"No essay?" Hermione asked.

"Don't pursue it," Harry muttered.

"This time," Professor Binns answered. "Mr. Potter, I hope that next time you will be more prepared for the class."

"Of course sir," Harry said sarcastically.

If Professor Binns noticed his tone, he didn't let on as he continued his lecture.

"I'm sorry," Hermione scribbled on a piece of parchment.

"For what?" Harry asked, stretching back out.

Hermione smiled at him. She'd thought he'd be mad at her, but again, he surprised her. "Nothing," she said before returning her attention to the lecture.

Harry restrained himself from doing anything else that might get them caught during class time.

Hermione quickly scribbled a note with the information she'd found out about Malcolm Alderton. She had some time before her next class and she wanted to get this to Sirius as soon as possible. "I'm going to go to the Owlery," she told Harry once class was dismissed.

"I'll go with you," he said, staying by her side.

"Okay," Hermione said reaching for his hand.

"What did you write?" Harry asked curiously.

"It's to Sirius," Hermione replied. "I told him about Malcolm and what I found out."

"Oh," Harry nodded. "That's right. He'll pass along the information to Remus."

"I figured the sooner, the better," Hermione said.

He grinned at her. "It's good to have a brain around," he teased.

Hermione beamed at him. "Can I use Hedwig?"

"Sure," Harry answered. "Use her whenever you want to send something."

"Thanks," Hermione said leading the way up the stairs.

He followed her up, thinking it might be nice to see his pet. Since coming to the school, he hadn't been up to visit her once and he was sure he'd be paying for it. "You don't happen to have any sort of crackers or something do you?"

"I have some sugar free sweets in my bag," Hermione said.

"I was thinking of treats for my owl," Harry said sheepishly. "I don't think she'd like those."

"Don't worry," she reassured him. "There's always something up there."

"Okay," he said, taking her hand again as they climbed the last few steps.

Harry's snowy white owl was easy to spot and Hermione picked up a couple of crackers in the basket just outside. "Here we are."

"Thanks," he said, turning to Hedwig. "Hey girl," he said softly. "I've missed you."

Hedwig pecked at Harry's hand. Hermione stifled a laugh. "She didn't like being ignored."

"She never does," Harry said wryly, offering up one of the crackers.

"She's beautiful," Hermione said.

Hedwig let out a hoot and flew over to Hermione's shoulder.

Hermione smiled at the owl. "So, you're the other woman in his life, eh?"

Harry laughed. "I think you've won her approval."

"I'm in," Hermione said grinning at him.

"You sure are," Harry gave her a kiss.

"I feel so guilty for being so happy right now," Hermione said softly.

"You shouldn't," Harry said as she attached her letter to Hedwig's leg.

"I know, but still," Hermione said. "Because of this case, you came into my life."

Harry nodded. "You're the only really good thing about this place."

"Enough to make you stay?" Hermione couldn't resist asking.

"Until the end of the year?" Harry asked. "I don't know if they'll let me."

"You could ask," Hermione said. "Dumbledore would let you. I'm sure of it."

"I'm not so sure what Sirius or Kingsley would say," Harry replied. "I'm already an Auror, Hermione."

"It was just an idea," Hermione said quietly.

He had to admit the idea of spending the rest of the year with her was tempting. "I'll see what I can do..."

"Harry," Hermione said happily.

"What?" he asked, staggering back as she threw her arms around him.

"I just like the idea of you being here all year," Hermione said.

"You like the idea of sneaking into my bed all year," Harry corrected.

"There's definitely that," Hermione said laughing. "But I just...can't imagine being here without you now. I know it's strange..."

"Since I've only been here what... three weeks?"

Hermione blushed. "I told you it was strange."

"I don't mind it," Harry slid his arms around her.

"I've never felt this way before," Hermione admitted. "This is all so new to me."

"Me too," Harry said. "I... I don't normally let myself get close to people."

"Why me?" Hermione asked, looking up at him.

"There's something different about you," Harry replied.

"That's me," Hermione said. "Different, old Hermione Jane Granger."

"It's good to be different," Harry traced over the curve of her cheek.

"That's what my parents always tell me," Hermione said softly.

"They were right," Harry leaned in and kissed her again.

Hermione kissed him back, feeling more in love with him than ever. When he was like this, she couldn't help herself.

He ran his hands up under her robes. It was growing heated quite fast.

"We're already late for class," Hermione said putting up a weak protest.

"Does it really matter?" Harry asked, kissing her neck.

"Not...at...the...um....moment," Hermione managed to say.

He set her on top of a ledge, running his hands under her jumper.

She couldn't believe they were doing this here, but she didn't do one thing to stop him. If she was being honest, the chance they'd be caught was such a turn-on.

"I want you right now," Harry said in her ear.

"I want you too, "Hermione said reaching for his belt.

"Someone might walk in on us," he said.

"They're all in class," Hermione said nipping at his bottom lip.

"Right," he said, pushing her behind some boxes.

Hermione giggled. "It is cold up here though."

"We can take care of that," Harry said with a wicked smile.

"Yeah?" Hermione asked. "How?'

"By getting naked," he answered mischievously.

Hermione smiled. "Body heat..."

"Right," he said, pushing her robes off.

"You have the best ideas," Hermione said before he kissed her again.

"I try," he answered, lifting up her jumper.

Hermione heard footsteps on the staircase and she froze.

"We shouldn't be meeting here," someone said in a harried voice. "If anyone finds out..."

"No one's going to find out," a familiar voice answered. "We've covered everything."

Hermione peered over the boxes and was shocked to see Justin Finch-Fletchley and Susan Bones.

"Shh..." Harry said, straightening out his shirt and trousers as Hermione yanked her jumper on.

"We're in too deep," Susan said running a hand nervously through her hair. "I knew this was a bad idea."

"No way," Justin caught her hand in his.

"Justin," Susan said. "We can't. Ernie..."

"What about him?" Justin asked. "He's with Hannah now isn't he?"

"Yes, but--he was going to leave her," Susan said wiping at her eyes. "Until he was...until he was attacked!"

"It's all going to be okay," Justin said.

"I know you and Ernie were fighting," Susan said. "Please tell me you didn't have anything to do with this."

"Of course I didn't," Justin said angrily. "Susan how can you say that?"

"You said you were glad it happened," Susan said quietly. "I just thought---"

"Well I didn't hurt anyone," Justin backed away from her.

Susan reached out to him. "I'm sorry. I know that."

Justin nodded. "Okay."

Susan leaned in and kissed him. "I'm sorry, Justin."

"No more of that Susie," Justin told her.

"I promise," Susan said. "I'll never doubt you again."

"We should go," Justin said. "I don't know why we came up here in the first place."

"Right," Susan agreed.

Harry and Hermione let out a sigh of relief as Justin and Susan left. "I thought we were goners," he admitted.

"Justin would LOVE to catch me in a situation like this," Hermione rolled her eyes. "He was in the running for Head Boy but lost out. For some reason he thinks it's my fault. I think he's been talking to Ron."

"I'm amazed he was up here with a girl," Harry mused. "I thought he was gay."

Hermione burst out laughing.

"No more of that, Susie," Harry said laughing.

"You make me laugh," Hermione put her robe back on. "That's why I--" she stopped mid sentence.

"Why you what?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," she blushed, straightening her clothes out.

"So much for our little rendezvous," Harry said grabbing her school bag and slinging it over his shoulder.

"I know," she agreed, sneaking in one more kiss.

"Raincheck?" he asked.

"Until tonight," she touched his cheek affectionately.

"It's a date," he said. "So what should we do? Go to class?"

"Better late than never," she answered. "When do you think we'll get a reply from Sirius?"

"Probably tonight," Harry replied. "He's usually pretty good at getting back to me. And with something like this..."

Hermione nodded. "I can't wait to dig up more information on this guy."

"You'll do well during your official training," Harry said thoughtfully. "The first year you do a lot of fact finding..."

"How did you get to become an Auror so young?" she asked as he held the door open for her.

"Well, I spent all those years planning and training to take on Voldemort," Harry explained. "The Ministry practically offered it to me the minute the final battle was through. And so, Sirius trained me and here I am.."

"I guess I'm just surprised you never came here to Hogwarts," Hermione said.

"I told you," Harry said with a shrug. "I had the best teacher in the world. I didn't need to waste my time with this place."

"It wouldn't have been wasting your time," Hermione argued. "I certainly don't view it as a waste of my time."

"Well, I think you and I are different," he countered. "You like this stuff, I don't."

"But learning is important," Hermione insisted. "I've no doubt about Sirius's abilities to teach you, but there's so much that I'm sure even he doesn't know."

"That's where Remus came in," Harry said defensively. "Look, it's not a big deal."

Hermione was silent.

"Don't be like this," Harry said reaching for her hand. "Come on. Who's to say that this would have happened if I'd been here all along?"

"I don't know," she said quietly. "But I guess I just feel as if you think everything about me is foolish, since I love it here."

Harry stared at her. "I've never said that about you, Hermione. You’re twisting my words around..."

She only shrugged.

"I don't think you're foolish," he said tilting her chin up to look at him. "Maybe, if things were different and I'd started here when I was 11, I'd like the place. But I wasn't. But I am glad that I'm here now and you know the reason for that."

His words made her soften. "I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.

He tickled her side. "Quit saying that. You were being honest. That's one of your best qualities, Hermione."

She slapped his hand away. "What my other good qualities?" she asked with a grin.

"How much time do we have?" he countered. "Because I'd be here for awhile listing them all."

She laughed. "You're good, Potter."

"I know," he smirked.

"But now we're really late," she continued.

"I could race you," Harry said with a grin.

"I'm a Prefect," Hermione reminded him. "Who is breaking enough rules these days as it is."

"Because she's crazy about a certain new student," Harry said.

"Quite," she agreed.

"It's okay if you're afraid I'd beat you," Harry said.

"Please," Hermione scoffed.

"Oh," Harry said grinning at her. "You actually think you could beat me?"

"If I wanted to," Hermione said.

"Can you back that up?" Harry challenged. "Don't worry---I won't tell the other prefects that their leader was being a bad girl.":

"I am NOT racing you," Hermione informed him.

"Chicken," Harry countered.

"I'm not racing you," Hermione said firmly.

Harry made some clucking sounds.

"Sticks and stones," Hermione said calmly.

"Yeah, yeah," Harry said walking backwards in front of her.

"I'm not racing you," Hermione looked right back at him. "But if you'd like me to kick your arse, I'd be happy to do it in the Room of Requirement later."

Harry laughed. "You? Wait...wait...you are going to kick who's arse?"

"Now who's chicken?" Hermione asked smugly.

"There's no way," Harry said still laughing. "Hermione...I've trained for years."

"Goody for you," Hermione answered pertly.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'm intrigued. I'd love to see what you've got. I promise to go easy on you."

"Don't hold back," Hermione gave him a sly look.

Harry decided to humour her. "Okay. After our rounds, you can take me to the Room of Requirement and kick my arse all over the place."

"That's the spirit," she said dryly.

"What excuse are we going to use this time?" Harry asked as they approached the classroom. "We certainly can't tell the professor what we were really doing."

"We'll say we were in a meeting with Dumbledore," Hermione replied. "You know he'll back us up."

Harry gave her a kiss. "To tide us over until afterwards."

She grinned at him before pushing the door open. They quickly got in their seats before Professor Flitwick could say anything.

Harry wrote down some notes about Justin Finch-Fletchley. Although he probably wasn't the person behind these attacks, it'd be a good idea to have a talk with him and see what he could find out.

For what seemed to be the first time in her life, Hermione tuned out the lecture for that day and also began writing down some things about everyone who was attacked so far- their houses, where they had been found. She also wrote down that they'd found a quill and some soot in the library from when Ernie was attacked.

The one thing that kept sticking out was the fact that no Slytherins had been attacked. But, Slytherins would never talk to her or Harry. There had to be some way to find out if one of them was involved.

"At dinner we should really watch the Slytherin table," Hermione whispered to Harry. "I keep coming back to how none of them are attacked."

Harry nodded. "Could be someone in Slytherin or someone who has ties to Slytherin. That's where we should concentrate our efforts."

Hermione nodded her agreement.

"Apparently Ron got into it with Malfoy earlier," Harry whispered back. "In the Great Hall."

"Really?" Hermione was surprised. "Over what?"

"Luna apparently tried to psychoanalyze him and he wasn't a willing subject," Harry explained. "And then somehow Ginny got thrown into things and it all went downhill from there. Ron's still chuffed about it."

Hermione stifled a giggle. "Wish I'd been there to see it."

Harry looked toward the front of the class where Draco Malfoy was seated next to Crabbe.

"I still can't help but wonder if he's got something to do with all this," Hermione had followed his gaze. "I mean... it does quite fit his personality. But I don't know if even he would stoop as low as to steal someone's soul."

"Could be working for someone who required him to do the dirty work," Harry said aloud.

"That's a distinct possibility," Hermione wrote that down.

"Old Malcolm could be his great-great-great grandfather or something," Harry said thoughtfully.

"All I could find out so far was his name," Hermione said. "I hope Sirius or Mr. Lupin can dig something up."

"They will," Harry assured her. "Lupin's like a dog with a bone over things like this. Reminds me of you, actually."

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that a good or bad thing?"

"A very good thing," Harry said smiling at her.

Hermione blushed a bit but returned to her notes, now listing down everyone they suspected so far.

"See if you can talk to Susan Bones at lunch," Harry told her.

"I'll try," Hermione said. "She's a nice girl. I don't know why she's caught up with the likes of Justin."

"He could be using her," Harry said.

"No one really knew this," Hermione lowered her voice even further. "But Susan and Ernie were secretly seeing each other. I caught them one night while patrolling, but I never said anything."

"The plot thickens," Harry said quietly.

"Tell me about it," Hermione's hand was growing cramped.

"We'll figure it out," Harry said taking the quill from her and continuing the notes. The gesture made her almost want to melt.

Hermione nodded as she turned towards Flitwick.

Harry looked sideways at her feeling a twinge of guilt. She didn't know what his true plans were after this case was solved. He'd been working his arse off to prove himself to Kingsley and the others and this case would help him get to the ultimate goal. But when the time came to leave, he wondered how Hermione would take it.

He wished now he hadn't told her he would try to stick around. Despite his growing feelings for her, he still had no intentions of staying here afterwards. But perhaps once she was finished...

He wasn't supposed to be thinking like this. It wasn't fair to her, but looking at her now, he wasn't ready to let her go. They would figure something out, he told himself. They had to.

13. Chapter 13

We’ll say one thing- this first part of the chapter was a LOT of fun to write. We think you guys will enjoy it as much as we did ;) Also, more of another couple that some of you guys like a lot as well. Please review!

The day progressed quickly, but the only thing on Harry's mind was his supposed fight in the Room of Requirement with Hermione. He knew he'd have to go easy on her- he'd been involved with many a physical argument before and Sirius had taught him well in self defence.

Hermione saw him stifle a yawn as they made their way down the corridor toward the room. "You sure you're up for this?" she asked him.

"If you feel like backing out I won't hold it against you," Harry replied.

"I'm actually looking forward to it," Hermione scoffed. "I feel like I'm getting a second wind actually."

"Good," Harry smirked at her.

"Okay," Hermione said when they reached the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy. "We need to walk past this blank wall three times and think really hard about what we need."

"I know what I need," Harry muttered.

Hermione sighed. "How about you let me take care of this? With what you're thinking, we'll walk in and find a queen size bed or something!"

"Would that be such a bad thing?" he sent her a wicked grin.

"We're not using this room for that," Hermione said shaking her head. "Now let me concentrate..."

Harry watched her as she closed her eyes.

Hermione walked past the wall three times, thinking long and hard about what they would need. She remembered Harry's gym at Grimmauld Place and pictured it in her mind.

"There," she said triumphantly when a door appeared. "Come on."

Harry opened the door and stood back to let her go in first. "Whoa....good memory, Granger."

Hermione was pleased with what she'd come up with. She set her bag down and shrugged out of her cloak, exposing the gym shorts and shirt she'd put on before leaving her dormitory.

Harry couldn't stop the grin that spread out across his face at the sight of her; partly because of what she had on and partly because she really seemed to be taking this seriously. He was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt he'd thrown on after dinner.

"All right Potter," she said, turning to face him.

"This is actually a good idea you had," Harry said conversationally. "I mean you will need to know how to defend yourself without your wand. I can show you a few moves actually."

Hermione scoffed. "Or perhaps I can show you a few moves. I'm not a helpless little woman here."

"I never said you were," Harry said defensively. "But I do have more experience at this."

Hermione only smiled. "Well let's go then," she said, pulling her hair back at her nape.

"Okay," Harry said moving behind her. "Let's just pretend that you're out on your rounds and someone comes up behind you like this..." Harry said putting his arm around her neck and holding her tightly. "What would you do?"

Without a word, Hermione jabbed her elbow back into his stomach and brought her other hand back right into his nose.

"OW!" Harry yelped, taken completely by surprise.

"I'd do that," Hermione said, turning around.

Harry was hunched over covering his nose. "Merlin's beard, Hermione! What the hell was that?"

"I'm not here for a lesson," Hermione challenged.

Harry stood up and tried to regain his composure. That had to have been just beginner's luck. "Okay...alright...how about this time you attack me and I'll fend you off."

"Sure," she said, not giving him any warning by charging at him.

The next thing Harry knew, he was flat on his back, the wind knocked completely out of him. "Mmmph...."

Hermione rubbed her hands on her shorts. "Good job."

Harry was still struggling to catch his breath when Hermione stood over him and offered him her hand.

"No thanks," he struggled to his feet.

Hermione grinned. "Did you want to do some more?"

Harry glared at her. "You're not fighting fair."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "How am I not fighting fair?"

Harry only shook his head.

"Come on," Hermione tossed a wayward strand of hair out of her eyes. "Surprise me."

Harry stood up straight, putting on the facade that he wasn't hurting right now. He wasn't going to be easy on her this time. He approached her with a look of pure determination on his face.

He swung his fist out and she ducked, catching the back of his ankle with her foot.

He fell with a thud onto the mat. "HERMIONE!"

"What?" she asked with a grin.

Harry got to his feet and glared at her. "Come clean, Granger. Where you'd learn to fight like that?"

"Have you had enough yet?" she asked.

"You've had your fun," Harry said wincing as he felt a sharp pain in his ribs.

"Did I really hurt you?" she asked, concerned.

"No," Harry lied.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You won't be any less a man if you admit a girl kicked your arse."

"Not just any girl," Harry said sitting down and wincing yet again at the pain. "My bloody girlfriend."

Hermione suddenly grinned at him. "If you obviously weren't in such pain I'd knock you down and snog the lights out of you right now."

"I-I'm okay," Harry coughed.

Hermione went to her bag and got her wand and a potion. "Drink this," she said.

"So you had a feeling that I'd end up like this," Harry said taking the bottle from her.

"Just an inkling," she replied. "I've been taking tae kwon do since I was six years old."

"Something that I probably should have known before I agreed to this," Harry said before downing the contents of the bottle.

"I was going to tell you," she said. "But you were so insistent that I needed to learn a few things that I thought you could find out for yourself."

"You're enjoying this," Harry said.

"Yes I am," Hermione touched her wand gently to his nose. "There."

"Thanks," Harry said. "You have anything to fix my wounded pride?"

She laughed. "Like what?"

"I don't know," Harry admitted, feeling the pain in his ribs slowly going away. "You can't tell anyone you did this to me."

"It'll be our secret," Hermione promised. "But maybe I'll just tell Sirius..."

Harry glared at her. "Especially not Sirius. He already gives me a hard enough time about you as it is."

"He does?" Hermione asked interestedly.

"Yeah," Harry said getting to his feet. "He likes you, you know?"

"I like him too," Hermione answered, also standing up.

She walked over behind him and put her arms around his waist. "You not going to flip me over your shoulder are you?" he asked warily.

"No," Hermione said with a grin. "Would you like me to?"

"No," Harry answered quickly. "I've taken enough abuse for one night, thank you."

"Poor baby," Hermione said her voice sweet. "Sit down."

Harry laughed. "Okay, but no funny stuff, Granger."

"No funny stuff," she promised.

Harry sat down on the mat.

She began to knead her hands over his shoulders, rubbing the tense muscles gently.

"This is more like it," he said closing his eyes. She was quite good at this.

"I figured you'd like this better," Hermione smiled.

"Much," Harry said, his eyes still closed.

She was dying to ask if he'd really meant it when he'd called her his girlfriend, but wasn't sure if it was a slip of the tongue or not and she didn't want to draw any negative attention to it.

"You're awfully quiet," he commented.

"Just revelling in my win," Hermione teased gently.

"If I'd known I was going up against Bruce Lee's younger sister maybe I would have done better," Harry said defensively.

Hermione laughed. "You poor baby."

"It's not everyday that a bloke gets beat up by his girlfriend," Harry said turning to look at her. "Cut me some slack."

"Is that what I am?" she asked before she could stop herself. "Your girlfriend?"

Harry hadn't even realised he'd called her that. "Um...well...."

"I don't mind," she said softly, sitting down next to him.

He knew she didn't mind, but he was scared to death of this whole commitment thing. But looking at her now, he couldn't bring himself to tell her that he didn't want a girlfriend. Or at least he didn't think he wanted a girlfriend. Being with her alone like this made him even more confused than ever and had him doubting every choice he'd ever made. "I've never had a serious girlfriend before, Hermione," he heard himself saying.

"Oh," she looked at her hands. "Well I've never shagged anyone before, yet I've done it twice with you. I'm not necessarily one for labelling things, but... I don't know."

"I'm not really good at this," Harry said standing up. "I like to pretend that I am, but I'm not. And you---you could do so much better than me."

"Perhaps," Hermione said, moving closer. "But I don't really want to."

"I'm arrogant, moody, condescending," Harry said listing his faults for her. "Not to mention that I'm--"

"Stop," Hermione cut him off. "Are you trying to push me away now or something?"

"No, of course not," Harry said quickly.

"I don’t' care about the bad things," Hermione said. "I have bad qualities too Harry."

He met her gaze. "I like being with you. When I'm not with you, I think about you. I love the way your eyes light up when you think you've gotten one over on me. I hated the way Viktor Krum looked at you. And if it wasn't for you, I'd have been gone weeks ago."

Hermione felt her eyes fill with tears. "Harry..."

"I've said something wrong," Harry said seeing her tears. He put his head in his hands. "I told you---"

"Not at all," Hermione threw her arms around him.

Harry stumbled back. If he lived to be a hundred years old, he’d never understand girls. "Hermione," he said laughing.

"I'm sorry," she wiped her eyes. "But what you just said means a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me," he said leaning in and kissing her forehead.

"Same here," Hermione whispered, looking up at him as he slid his arms around her.

"You know," Harry said. "I'm actually still hurting..."

"You can't be," Hermione said. "That potion--"

"It still hurts a little," Harry cut her off. "Right here...."

Hermione shook her head. "Your lips?"

"When you tripped me, I fell on my face," he pointed out. "Really, really hurts..."

She laughed. "Big baby," she said softly before leaning in and kissing him.

"And um...right here," Harry said touching his chest. "Really, really hurts."

"You're milking this for all it's worth," Hermione said, reaching for the hem of his shirt.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Harry said innocently.

"It's a good thing I lo--like you this much," Hermione covered quickly as she helped him pull off his shirt.

"You treat all the boys you fancy like this?" Harry teased her.

"Hardly," she said, gripping the bottom of her tank top.

"Good," Harry grinned putting his hands over hers. "Let me."

She smiled at him, her body warming up already at his touch.

He slowly took her tank top off and threw it on the floor. "Beautiful."

Hermione blushed.

"You are," he said reaching up and touching her cheek.

"Thank you," she whispered, kissing him again.

They sank down onto the mat. "Hermione Jane..."

"How did you know my middle name?" she asked softly.

"Sirius let me read your file," Harry said sheepishly. "Daughter of Robert and Elinore Granger, Muggle dentists."

Hermione laughed. "I'm impressed you took the time," she said, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"Funny how your file never mentioned the martial arts training," Harry said smiling down at her.

"All girls have their secrets," she grinned back at him.

Harry kissed her again.

Hermione ran her hands up and down his back as their kiss grew quite passionate.

"Hermione," Harry said against her skin as he trailed kisses down her neck.

Her breath was coming in short gasps and she was unable to reply verbally.

"I need to be inside you now," Harry said huskily.

Hermione nodded. "Now," she agreed weakly.

Harry kicked off his jeans and boxer shorts and then settled back down on top of her. He kissed her as he slid into her.

It no longer hurt, and Hermione let out a satisfied purr as she arched so Harry could go further in.

Harry took his time, tenderly caressing and kissing her as they moved together.

"This gets better each time," Hermione managed.

"Third time is the charm," Harry said cheekily, causing her to giggle.

She moaned as he pressed himself inside her again and bit her lower lip hard as she felt herself nearing release.

That sent Harry over the edge and he thrust into her once more.

Her cry ripped through the room as she arched again.

Harry choked out her name before collapsing against her.

Hermione tried to catch her breath as he rolled off to her side.

"Let's stay here tonight," Harry said looking at her. "Please?"

Hermione hesitated. "It would be hard to do that due to the nature of this room."

"Come back to mine then," Harry said resting his arm on her waist. "You know you want to..."

She nodded. "That I can do..."

Harry kissed her. "Sweetheart..."

"Yeah?" she asked, pushing his hair off his scar and tracing it with her finger.

And he almost told her then. But, something held him back. "You...um..."

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing," Harry said pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"We should get out of here," Hermione said. "No telling when someone might need the room."

"Right," Harry said reaching for his clothes. "Luna might be needing the room to kick Ron's arse."

"Why do you say that?" Hermione asked, drawing her shorts back on.

"You used it to kick mine," Harry reminded her. "And she fancies him like you fancy me."

Hermione laughed. "I'd pay to see her kick Ron's arse. Merlin knows he needs a good ass kicking."

"I think you could do it," Harry said putting on his sweatshirt.

"I'd love to," Hermione said dryly.

Harry pulled her to him and gave her a lingering kiss. "I guess I have one more thing to ask you."

"What's that?" she asked. "YOU want lessons?"

"No," he replied, poking her side. "I was going to ask you if you wanted to be my girlfriend, but since you said that..."

"You already know the answer to both questions," Hermione said, pulling her tank top down.

Harry grinned. "So can I write Vicky and break the news to him then?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He never even had a chance."

They gathered the rest of their belongings and left the room. Hermione leaned against Harry as they crept along the corridor. He has his Invisibility cloak with him, but he didn't care to use it. He was so happy right now, he wouldn't care who caught them skulking around the halls past curfew.

She linked their fingers together. "We should patrol before we go to bed."

"Mmmhmmm," Harry murmured in agreement.

"You know..." she said hesitantly. "We should um... check up near the Third Floor again."

"We don't have to," he told her.

"But we should," Hermione said. "And if you're there..."

"You showed me tonight that you can more than take care of yourself," he said looking at her.

"I still feel safer with you." Hermione said softly. "I guess sometimes, when I'm panicked, I still don't react the way I should."

"It's going to come with time," Harry reassured her. "And when we do find out who's responsible for this, I'm going to make them pay for what they tried to do to you."

Hermione gave him a quick kiss. "We'll both make them pay for what they've done to everyone."

Harry heard footsteps and he pulled Hermione behind a pillar. The footsteps came closer and they saw Draco Malfoy heading purposely down the corridor.

"I think we might be going on a detour," Harry whispered reaching into his bag for the Invisibility cloak.

She nodded. "Right."

Draco looked at his watch. He'd had some unfinished business to attend to with Pansy Parkinson and he was late for his "meeting with Ginny Weasley". He hadn't seen the redhead since dinner, but he'd told her that something had come up and he wouldn't be able to meet her until after curfew. She'd scoffed and told him she wouldn't be there, but he had a feeling he wouldn't be disappointed.

"I don't know where he's going," Hermione whispered almost inaudibly. "But I'm sure he's up to no good."

Draco hurried up the steps to the Astronomy Tower looking over his shoulder to make sure no one had followed him. He smiled when he spotted her looking out at the night sky. "You came," he whispered.

Ginny froze when she heard him.

"I didn't realise until after what a risk it was for you to come out like this," Draco said walking over to join her. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"I'm fine," Ginny said, pulling back. "I... I'm not sure why I came."

"You were curious," Draco said thoughtfully.

"I suppose," Ginny kept her distance from him.

Draco was silent as he looked out at the ground below. "I first noticed you....really noticed you on the Hogwarts Express. You were sitting with Lovegood and McDonald, but you were staring out the window. You looked about as lost as I felt."

"I'm not lost," Ginny snapped.

"What's with the animosity, Ginevra?" Draco asked. "I just wanted to talk to you. There's no harm in that, is there?"

"Just... don't come too close to me," Ginny said nervously.

Draco respected her boundaries and leaned against the wall. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about this morning."

"Me either," she admitted.

Draco smiled at her. "You don't have to be afraid of me. I wouldn't hurt you."

"Look one or two kisses don’t exactly make you trustworthy," Ginny replied.

"I've done a lot of bad things in the past," Draco admitted. "We don't need to rehash them, okay?"

Ginny folded her arms and stared at him.

"Do you want to go?" he asked her. "I can walk you back to Gryffindor Tower."

"You're joking right?" Ginny asked. "YOU walk ME back?"

Draco sighed and shook his head. "Okay, fine. Go back by yourself. I'm out of here."

"Wait!" Ginny called before she could stop herself.

Draco stopped in the walkway and slowly turned around. "What do you want? I don't care to play games, Ginevra."

"Games?" Ginny asked. "What are you playing with me? Luna Lovegood announces to the entire Great Hall that you fancy me and I'M the only playing games?"

She had a point, he begrudgingly admitted. He stepped closer to her. "You came here to meet me and I want to know why."

"I don't know why," Ginny said softly. "I just sort of felt drawn here."

"Like I'm drawn to you," Draco said reaching for her arm. "It doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it, but you just can't stop yourself."

Ginny shook her head wordlessly. She wanted to stop this- she wanted to tell him she had Neville waiting for her but she couldn't. It was as if she'd lost all powers of speech.

He cupped her face in his hands. "I can't get you out of my mind."

"I can't get you out of mine," Ginny echoed.

Draco pressed his lips to hers.

In the corner, Hermione and Harry looked on in complete shock as Ginny kissed him back.

"What...the..." Hermione was completely astounded.

Harry put his hand over Hermione's mouth. "Shhh..."

Ginny pulled away to catch her breath. "I can't do this...”

"Why?" Draco asked.

"Neville," Ginny said quietly. Just saying his name sent her into a shame spiral.

"What ABOUT Longbottom?" Draco asked impatiently.

"I care about him," Ginny said softly. "I don't want to hurt him."

"What would he say if he knew you were up here with me?" Draco asked. "You kissed me back, and that's twice now."

"What about you and Parkinson?" Ginny shot back. "Does she know where you are right now?"

"Parkinson and I aren't exclusive," Draco said lazily.

"Forgive me if I don't want to be your little side dish," Ginny retorted.

"I'd dump her for you," Draco said.

"That's the most romantic offer I've ever had," Ginny said rolling her eyes. "You don't even know me!"

"Then why are you here?" he asked, his eyes burning into hers.

"Why couldn't you just leave me alone?" Ginny asked weakly as he took her in his arms again. "Why couldn't you leave me alone?"

"You came here on your own," he said huskily, leaning in again.

Ginny's defences melted away when he kissed her again.

"You want this," he said, pressing his lips to her neck.

"Yes," Ginny whispered.

He ran his hands down and brought them back up, his fingers touching her skin.

Hermione had seen enough and she tugged on Harry's arm signalling that she was ready to go. She couldn't believe Ginny would do this to Neville!

"I can't bloody believe her!" she erupted when they were a safe distance away from the tower.

"I thought she cared about Nev," Harry said shaking his head.

"Same here," Hermione was thoroughly disgusted. "Neville's a nice guy and he likes her so much. He deserves better."

"He'll need to find this out on his own," Harry said quietly. When Hermione opened her mouth to reply, Harry held up his hand. "He wouldn't believe it coming from either of us, Hermione. He needs to see that for himself."

"I suppose you're right," Hermione admitted.

"And he does deserve better than that," Harry said. "And he'll need his friends around when he finds out about this."

"I've always liked Neville," Hermione said. "For the longest time, he was the only person who'd give me the time of day."

Harry put his arms around her. "Confirms my suspicion that people around here are barmy."

"Not everyone is," Hermione said coyly.

"Not me," Harry said grinning down at her. "I know how great you are."

Hermione leaned in and kissed him.

"Come on," he said when they pulled apart. "Let's finish our rounds and then go to bed."

She nodded. She really didn't want to go back up by the third floor but she knew they had to.

He put his arm around her. "I hope you don't expect me to dance much at this ball. I'm not much of a dancer."

"I'm really not either," Hermione said.

"So if I step on your feet or you step on mine, we'll have no one but ourselves to blame," Harry teased.

Hermione smiled at him. "You're incorrigible."

Harry pulled her close. "You love me for it."

More than you know, Hermione thought.

In the Astronomy Tower, Ginny finally summoned the will to push away from Draco. "I-I have to go."

"You just got here," Draco pointed out.

"It's late," Ginny argued. "And I'm tired and you're confusing me!"

"I don't see what's to be confused about," Draco said, his normal smirk gone. "I want you, Red."

"To play with," Ginny said sarcastically. "You and I both know that you'd never let your friends see you with me. I saw how you reacted when Luna blabbed it all in the Great Hall."

"She took me by surprise, okay?" Draco's eyes narrowed.

"And let's not forget your parents," Ginny continued. "How would they react if they knew their son was cavorting with a lowly Weasley?"

"Let me handle that," Draco said. "You worry too much."

"Not to mention my brothers," Ginny said quietly. "Ron, especially."

"So basically you're saying you're too scared," Draco said, his tone becoming slightly patronizing.

"I am not scared," Ginny scoffed. "I'm a Gryffindor. We don't get scared. I'm simply pointing out the obstacles to you and I having a relationship."

"You're pointing out excuses," Draco corrected.

Ginny sighed. "Maybe I am scared, okay? You aren't exactly the most trustworthy person in the world. For all I know you're playing me."

"If I was, do you think I'd still be here?" he asked his eyes boring into hers.

He leaned in to kiss her again, but Ginny turned away. "This would be easier if it was just me, Draco. But there's Neville and I genuinely like him. He's the only boy who's ever really cared about me."

Draco pulled back disgustedly. "Then go to him," he said angrily. "Quit being a tease."

Ginny glared at him. "I'm not being a tease!"

Draco rolled his eyes in reply.

"If you thought I came up here to shag you, you're in for a rude awakening," Ginny said pulling her cloak tightly around her. "I don't do things like that. And the way you're acting now just proves that I should never have come up here."

"Then go," Draco said. "But you'll be back. You wouldn't have come if you didn't feel something too."

Ginny had no reply to that because a part of her knew he was right. "Goodbye, Malfoy," she said before turning on her heel and walking out.

She resolved to put this all behind her. Why ruin a good thing? Neville may not have been as dashing as Malfoy or as handsome as Harry, but he was sweet and he cared about her.

The last thing she ever wanted to do was hurt Neville and she knew that she'd do whatever it took to forget about Malfoy.

At least, she hoped she could.

14. Chapter 14


Authors' note: We hope you like the latest instalment. For those of you who were wondering when we would get back to the mystery…here you go!

The day of the big Quidditch match found the Auror department on high alert. It had been awhile since any student had been attacked. No one was fooling themselves into thinking it was over. It was now a game of wait and see. Sirius and Lupin were at Grimmauld Place going over the last minute plans.

"I still don't like this," Lupin said thoughtfully looking at a map of the grounds. "There are too many variables."

"I know," Sirius agreed. "But Dumbledore wants to keep things as normal as possible for the students."

Lupin nodded. "If anything good has come out of this, it will be that Harry was finally able to go to Hogwarts."

"James and Lily wanted him to," Sirius said. "But by the time I got him, term had already started and then..."

"You wanted to keep him with you," Lupin finished. "You know how I always felt about this, Sirius. He should have been there all along."

"It's not time to lecture me about it," Sirius said a bit sharply.

Lupin folded the map. "You are his godfather. You did what you thought was best."

"He hasn't turned out worse for wear," Sirius muttered. "I think I did a good job raising him."

"I never said you didn't," Lupin said hastily.

Sirius was quiet for a moment. "That girl he's working with, Hermione. She's brilliant."

"She is that," Lupin agreed. "Headquarters think that she's one to watch."

"You know what I think?" Sirius asked. "I think Harry's fallen for her."

Lupin grinned. "You don't say?"

"When they stayed over, I found him in her bed in the morning," Sirius said. "And when I see them together, he's always looking at her when he thinks no one's watching."

"I thought you were watching out for them," Lupin said raising an eyebrow. "Sirius, you let them---"

"I didn't let them," Sirius said hastily. "Besides, I'm his guardian. I can't control everything he does. And I think they make a good match."

"You might want to remind him of the rule of relations between Aurors," Lupin said folding his arms.

"Does that include you and Tonks?" Harry asked from the doorway.

"Harry!" Lupin exclaimed.

Harry gave him a cocky grin. "I know you don't think you're fooling anyone. Everyone knows."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Lupin said huffily. "Nymphadora and I are just colleagues."

"In the sack," Sirius muttered.

Lupin glared at him. "I'm not going to dignify that with a response."

"What's the plan for today?" Harry asked.

"Well where's your partner?" Sirius countered. "Hermione should be here too."

"She wasn't able to make it," Harry replied. "Prefect's meeting."

"This is more important than a prefect meeting," Lupin crossed his arms.

Harry rolled his eyes. "You and your rules. I'm going to meet with her before the match to go over the game plan."

Lupin nodded. "Fine."

"You're in a great mood this morning," Harry said. "Been awhile since you shagged Tonks, eh?"

"Harry," Lupin warned as Sirius choked back his laughter.

Harry grinned. "Ease up, Lupin. I'm only having a go."

Lupin levelled his gaze at Sirius as if conveying that he thought this was all Sirius' fault.

Sirius shrugged innocently. "So Harry, you're to watch the field from up above."

"And Miss Granger will be patrolling the grounds along with me, Kingsley and Tonks," Lupin continued. "Moody is going to be in the stands with Dumbledore and the other professors."

"So it sounds as if we have all bases covered," Harry looked between the two men.

Lupin nodded. "Remember, if we are able to catch them, we want him or her alive. They may be the only one who knows how to heal the others."

"What should I do if I see something?" Harry asked.

"Should I send some sort of signal?"

"Yes," Sirius said reaching into his pocket for an earpiece. "This will allow us to hear what you hear and you can communicate with the entire team."

Harry took it. "Sounds good."

"I don't need to remind you that Kingsley will be watching everything you do during this assignment," Lupin told him. "If you want that assignment, you need to make a good showing here, Harry."

"I will," Harry pushed the earpiece in. "I'm not about to goof this up. Not if it means you and I can get that assignment we've been hoping for." he looked at Sirius.

"Or you could stay and finish up at Hogwarts," Lupin suggested.

"Remus---" Sirius said shooting him a look.

"No way," Harry shook his head. "I want to be back on the field."

"You only have a few months to finish," Lupin argued. "And you'd made friends."

"A few," Harry said. "I can keep in touch."

"And Miss Granger," Lupin said. "Will she be one of those you'll keep in touch with?"

"Maybe," Harry said. "She's really smart you know. I think she'd make a good Auror."

"And she doesn't know about this next assignment, does she?" Lupin asked folding his arms.

"I was told not to talk about it, so I haven't," Harry said, giving him a level stare.

"So now you follow the rules," Lupin countered. "You know you can't pick and choose, Harry."

"You're just pissed because I don't want to stay here," Harry complained. "I've been professional here! I wanted to leave, but I stayed and now we're getting somewhere in this investigation. I don't need you jumping down my throat!"

"I'm not jumping down your throat," Lupin said quietly. "All I have ever wanted was what was best for you. And I think that---"

"You don't get a say in it," Sirius interjected. "They didn't name you his godfather, Remus. They picked me."

Lupin looked as if Sirius had slapped him. "I-I should head on out to Hogwarts."

"Lupin--" Sirius began but his friend Apparated out.

"I'm about sick of him trying to tell me how to run my life," Harry grumbled.

"He was right- he does only want what's best for you," Sirius said.

"Don't tell me you think I should stay at Hogwarts now, too?" Harry asked incredulously. "What the hell have we been working on for the past two years, Sirius?"

"Harry relax," Sirius held up a hand. "You know I've always been lenient and let you make your own decisions. That's not going to change."

"Nothing has changed," Harry said firmly. "And nothing will change. I've put in my time at Hogwarts."

"Fine," Sirius said. "Let's move on."

"I have a feeling that something is going to happen today," Harry said eager for a change in topic.

"I hope so," Sirius answered. "We really need to find out how to heal those people in the infirmary."

"We will," Harry said. "Hermione was up all night studying over those books she took from the library."

"What were you doing?" Sirius asked.

"Me?" Harry asked fidgeting. "You know I was--well, I was---"

"I should hope you were training..." Sirius raised his eyebrow. "Doing something more productive than shagging."

"You automatically assume the worst," Harry said shaking his head. "As a matter of fact, I was training."

"Good," Sirius stood up. "When you want the earpiece to activate, use your wand on it."

Harry nodded. "Anything else you want me to tell Hermione?"

"She already knows where to meet up with her team," Sirius answered.

"Then, we're done here?" Harry asked. "I have to go play captain."

Sirius nodded. "I'll see you after the match. Good luck up there."

"Thanks," Harry said. He looked at the clock over the fireplace. He had a few minutes before has was scheduled to give the team a pep talk before the match and he wanted to check in with Hermione.

The girl in question was currently reading over another book before she would head out to meet up with the Aurors. She was extremely nervous about this and wanted to impress them.

Harry came up behind her and put his arms around her neck. "Find anything in there?"

She jumped. "You scared me!"

"You can punish me later," he said nuzzling her neck.

Hermione smiled. "I just really want Kingsley to think I know what I'm doing."

"I can certainly say without hesitation," Harry said huskily. "That you do."

"Harry," Hermione blushed. "Honestly..."

"They already think that you're brilliant," he assured her.

"Really?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"Really," Harry said giving her a kiss. "You are brilliant, Hermione. And you're going to be a great Auror."

"Thanks Harry," Hermione said, kissing him back. "Are you all set for today? Was Lupin angry I couldn't make it?"

"He was okay with it," Harry lied. "And yes, I'm ready. When you meet with Kingsley, he'll probably give you an earpiece like this one." He pulled it out of his ear. "You'll be able to communicate with us and the minute you see something suspicious you let someone know. Don't go off by yourself to investigate, Hermione. I mean it." +

"I won't," she assured him.

"You want to walk with me down to the Pitch?" Harry asked her.

"Of course I do," Hermione stood up. "I have to wish you good luck properly."

"And if I win today?" Harry asked helping her on with her cloak.

"You'll be rewarded later," Hermione said, taking his hand and squeezing it.

"I hope I'm not crap at this," Harry said shaking his head. "I haven't flown much over the past couple of years.”

"You'll do fine," she said. "Just keep one eye out for the Snitch, and the other eye out for anything suspicious."

"And I'll be okay if you're okay," Harry said softly.

"I'll be extra careful," Hermione promised.

Harry touched her cheek. "We'll celebrate tonight. A win and hopefully catching this bastard once and for all."

"Right," Hermione's smile faded a bit. If they solved this case, he'd be leaving, and she didn't want him to go.

Harry mistook the look on her face for apprehension about the match. "Hey, it'll be okay."

Hermione nodded. "You'd better get down there."

Harry took her hand and led her behind a tree. He didn't want Lupin to catch them snogging and lecture them both about those bloody rules he was so fond of. Harry pulled her close and kissed her.

She melted against him, running her hands up his chest and into his hair.

He trailed kisses down her neck and she said the three little words she'd been scared for him to hear her say. But right then, she couldn't stop the words from escaping her lips. "Harry, I love you."

He froze.

Hermione opened her eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"You..." he couldn't seem to form words. "You said..."

Hermione blushed. "You don't have to say it back. I-I just wanted you to know."

Numbly he nodded.

She pressed a quick kiss to his lips. "I should get to my post."

He wished she'd hadn't said it. That echoed through his head as he watched her leave.

Ron's voice cut into his thoughts.

"Will you get your arse in the tent?" Ron asked rounding on him.

"What?" Harry asked absently.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Big match. Less than 15 minutes. You---captain. Strategy speech? Any of this ringing any bells?"

"Uh... yeah..." Harry replied.

Ron pushed him in the direction of the tent. He was pissed off, but not just because Harry didn't seem to be taking this seriously. Luna was supposed to meet him in the Great Hall for a good luck breakfast and she hadn't showed.

It was the second time and Ron wasn't sure if he wanted to put up with that anymore. He liked her, sure, but being stood up was no fun.

"Everyone's waiting," Ron told him.

"Right," Harry said automatically, pushing aside the curtain.

His team was assembled in front of the big chalkboard where Ron had obviously already started running plays. "Um...Ron, how about you continue?" Harry asked.

"What?" Ron asked. "Harry- you're the captain! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I don't want to be the captain anymore," Harry grumbled. "You're better at this than me and you obviously know the team better than me. It's your job if you want it, Ron."

"You can't do that," Ginny stood up. Harry could hardly look at the redhead- all he saw was her and Malfoy together. "Harry you can't just give up your captain position."

"Can't I change my mind?" Harry asked. "You certainly know what that's like, right Ginny?"

She glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Harry said tossing his broom to the ground. "Okay, fine! I'll be the captain. Sit your arses down and listen!"

Ron, who had already been up at the board, threw the chalk down in frustration. "Make up your bloody mind!" he said, plopping down on the bench.

"This is a big match," Harry told them, trying to block out what Hermione had said to him. "We...we can't go into this fighting with each other. We have to work as a team or we're not going to get anywhere. Whatever shite you're going through down here, stays down here during the match. Got it?"

A mumbling arose from the group in front of him.

"Fine," Harry said. He knew plenty about Quidditch- he and Sirius almost never missed a match- and he quickly went with what Ron had and did some plays.

He felt confident in their chances as he led the way out onto the pitch.

Once he was up in the air, Harry activated the earpiece. "Sirius?"

"I'm here, Harry," Sirius replied.

"Okay," he said. "Can everyone hear me?"

One by one, the Aurors checked in.

"I'm here," Hermione's voice rang in his ear.

Harry circled the field. "I don't see anything from up here yet," he said, not directly answering Hermione.

"Nothing from the stands," Sirius reported. "Hermione...you stay close to Moody."

"Yes sir," Hermione's voice came through. "Nothing from this end either."

"Madam Hooch is about to start the match," Sirius told the others. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry replied as the balls were let loose from the chest and zoomed in every which direction.

Hermione kept her eye out for anything suspicious as she stayed a few steps behind Moody.

Kingsley Shacklebolt was also there with him, which made Hermione feel a bit nervous and overwhelmed.

"You're doing an excellent job with the research so far," Kingsley told her.

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you, sir."

"That name you found has really given us a leg to stand on," Kingsley continued. "Lupin is currently tracing his ancestors to see if we can get a lead from there."

"I'm working as hard as I can to find out more information on him as well," Hermione told him. "I know the Hogwarts library like the back of my hand, sir. And I promise I will not let you down. Harry and I have worked really hard."

"I've been very impressed," Kingsley nodded. "You had a rocky start, and despite this case being slow moving, we've made more progress than we thought. Whoever this person is, they're very good."

"Constant vigilance!" Moody said throwing his fist in the air. "That's what you need, Miss Granger."

Hermione nearly jumped out of her skin. "Constant vigilance?"

"Keep an eye out for danger all the time," Moody told her. "You never know what evil is lurking behind every door."

Harry snorted and hoped no one had heard it.

"You look out for that golden snitch, boy," Moody said gruffly.

"I'm more concerned with anything going on down there," Harry replied.

"Just watch yourself up there," Lupin said.

"I am," Harry said, his eyes roaming all over the field.

Hermione looked toward the castle and saw a cloaked figure making their way toward the pitch. "Mr. Shacklebolt---"

"I see it," Kingsley had his wand out. "You stay here with Moody."

"But sir---" Hermione started to protest, but Kingsley was already taking off toward the castle.

"What is it?" Harry asked. "Sirius?"

"Kingsley's spotted something," Sirius told him. "Standby---"

Moody saw something suspicious in the other direction and he gave a warning look to Hermione. "Stay here."

"But sir!" Hermione protested.

"Stay here," Moody told her before limping off.

Hermione folded her arms. They were complete chauvinists. Just because she was a female they acted like she couldn't defend herself. How was she ever going to learn if they didn't let her try?

"I know what you're thinking," Harry's voice echoed in her ears. "Listen to them, Hermione."

"I'm not just here to do research," she said quietly. "I can help."

"Hermione--" Harry said warningly. From his perch in the air, he saw her following Moody. "HERMIONE!"

"What's going on?" Sirius asked him. "Where is she going?"

"You really are whipped," Malfoy said distracting Harry. "Calling out her name---"

"Shut the hell up," Harry snapped, zooming away.

Hermione gripped her wand tightly in her hand as she advanced toward Moody.

"Miss Granger," he said angrily. "I told you to wait back there!"

"Mr. Shacklebolt told me to stay with you," Hermione reminded him.

"And I told you to stay out of harms' way!" Moody's good eye glared at her.

"How about I go in the stands and knit a jumper?" Hermione hissed.

Harry couldn't help himself and let out a chuckle at her comment.

"Has anyone ever told you that you were stubborn as a mule?" Moody asked her.

"Yes," Hermione answered defiantly.

Moody shook his head. "Fine. Follow close, girl."

Hermione also gripped her wand as she stayed close to Moody.

"False alarm on my end," Kingsley reported to the others. "But I am going back to the castle."

Hermione sighed in disappointment. "I really want to find this person."

"If you ask me, this wasn't the way to go about it," Moody grumbled.

"No one asked you," Sirius cackled in Moody's earpiece.

Harry smiled from his perch in the air as he trained his eyes to try and find the Snitch.

From the shadows, the cloaked figure was pacing back and forth. The mission was clear, but they weren't sure they could do this. A part of them knew this was wrong, but the other part was so much stronger. "C-can't. N-not to him..."

"You must..." the other half hissed. "I control you! You do as I say!"

"My friend," the cloaked figure choked out. "C-can't."

"DO AS I SAY!" the other half was growing angry.

Their eyes grew dark as they stood up and looked up at the sky. Pointing the wand at the red-haired boy flying near the hoops, they muttered the incantation and quickly looked away, unable to see the results of the terrible spell.

Harry was still looking for the Snitch when from the corner of his eye he saw a spell flying towards Ron. He tore across the field and at top speed, practically yanked him off the broom.

"HARRY!" Ron exclaimed. "WHAT THE HELL---"

He didn't answer, but just heard a collective muttering from the crowd as the spell hit the goalposts, nearly shattering them.

"TIME!" Madam Hooch yelled, blowing her whistle. She motioned for the teams to join her on the ground.

"No one caught the Snitch!" Malfoy complained loudly.

Harry landed the broom carefully, a job that was complicated by Ron hanging on for dear life.

Ron was still a little dumbstruck as they hit the ground. "T-that was meant for me, wasn't it?"

"I think so," Harry said quietly.

Dumbledore was talking with Madam Hooch about what had happened and the teams both stood watching them.

Ron though looked at Harry. "You saved my life."

Harry nodded, not sure of what to say.

Seamus ran out onto the pitch before Ron could say anything. "Have either of you seen Neville?" Seamus asked them. "I haven't seen him since this morning."

Both Harry and Ron shook their heads.

"Neville--" Ginny gasped. "Oh no..."

Harry looked over at her as Hermione came out onto the pitch as well. "What do you care?" he couldn't help but ask.

Ginny looked at him. "He's my---boyfriend."

Hermione watched Malfoy as Ginny said his. His jaw clenched and he was holding his broom so tightly his knuckles were white.

"I-I have to find him," Ginny said.

Ron reached for her arm. "No, Gin. Not after what just happened."

"But I need to find him," Ginny pulled away and took off across the field.

"GINNY!" Ron called after her.

"He's probably the one who tried to hit you, Weasel," Malfoy said haughtily.

"Shut the hell up Malfoy," Ron said furiously. "I'm surprised it wasn't you! This is right up your alley."

"Ron, he was on the other side of the pitch when that spell was cast," Hermione said quietly. "Whomever it was, cast it from the ground. I don't see how it could have been Malfoy."

"Aww," Malfoy smirked. "Thanks, Mudblood."

Harry dropped his broom and grabbed Malfoy by the collar. "What did I tell you about calling her that?"

"I can't remember," Malfoy choked out. "LET GO!"

"I told you not to do it," Harry said, shoving him back.

"Looks as if Gin found Neville," Seamus announced pointing toward the far end of the pitch.

Ginny dropped her broom and ran into Neville's arms. "Where've you been?"

"I... was asleep," he said. "I just woke up..."

Ginny had tears in her eyes as she looked at him. "I was worried---someone tried to attack Ron---"

"Are you serious?" Neville looked past her. "He's okay, right?"

Ginny nodded and hugged him tightly. "Neville, I'm sorry."

"For what?" he asked.

Ginny gave him a kiss. "For being a bad girlfriend. But I'm going to change that. Starting now."

"You haven't been a bad girlfriend..." he was confused.

"Just hold me," Ginny said softly.

"Okay," Neville wrapped his arms around her. "Your brother looks like he's okay, Gin. I wouldn't worry."

Ginny held his hand and led him back over to where her team mates were awaiting word about the match.

"A draw?" Malfoy asked angrily. "How the hell can it be a draw? I had the Snitch in my sight!!!"

"You didn't catch it though," Ron pointed out gleefully.

Madam Hooch held up her hand. "We will have a rematch at a date to be decided later. You will receive word soon."

"All students are to return to their common rooms and stay there until further notice," Dumbledore announced.

"Come on," Neville took Ginny's hand and led her off the field.

"What happened?" Harry asked Hermione quietly.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm not really sure. I was with Moody when we saw a streak of light come out from near the changing rooms toward Ron. By the time we made it over there, whomever had cast the spell was gone."

"Damn it," Harry said. "At least he's okay, though." he looked back towards the redhead, who was surrounded by girls asking what it felt like to be on the brink of death.

"Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "I'm a little concerned with the fact that Luna was nowhere to be seen during the match and Neville just arrived a few minutes ago..."

"We'll find out where they were," Harry touched his earpiece. "Come on, we should go check in."

Hermione nodded. "That Moody is a real piece of work. Kind of lives up to his surname."

"You know they can still hear what you're saying, right?" Harry teased.

Hermione paled. "Oh no!"

"I'm just kidding," he said. "They stopped them after the match."

Hermione hit him on the arm. "Harry! That wasn't very nice! You scared me to death!"

He grinned at her. "Had to do it."

Though she was upset at his "joke", she was happy to see that he wasn't acting strange because of what she'd said to him before.

"Come on," he took her hand. "Let's go now before we're missed."

"Right," Hermione said quickening her step to catch up to the group of Aurors who were meeting in the middle of the pitch. The rest of the student body had cleared out already.

"Well?" Harry asked Sirius.

"Nothing," Sirius replied.

"Nothing?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"We should have Aurors here on a 24-hour basis," Moody grumbled. "Putting this case in the hands of two teenagers---"

"Two teenagers who are doing a great job," Kingsley interrupted. "And if you'll recall, Alastor- Harry is a trained Auror already. Miss Granger is nearly as good as one."

Hermione smiled brightly at Kingsley. "Thank you, sir."

Kingsley motioned for Harry and Sirius to come over to him. "About the assignment possibility for you two," he began. "The one over in Vancouver?"

"Yes, sir?" Harry asked.

"It's looking good," he said. "Very, very good."

Harry looked at Sirius and grinned. "I can't wait."

"That's the year long one, right?" Sirius asked.

Kingsley nodded. "I'll know more in the next couple of weeks, of course, but I think it's a go."

"Yes!" Harry pumped his fist as Kingsley walked away. "Sirius we got it!"

"Got what?" Hermione asked softly. "Harry?"

Harry picked her up and whirled her around. "Sirius and I just got the assignment we've been working for!"

Hermione laughed. "That's great! What sort of assignment?"

"We go to Vancouver," Harry said. "For a year, we go out there and train Aurors."

Hermione's face fell. "W-when would you leave?"

"Soon as this case is over," Harry replied.

"That's great," Hermione said forcing a smile. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Harry said with a wide grin.

Sirius noticed the look on her face and pulled his godson away. "Harry..."

"I'm going to go ahead back to the castle," Hermione said quickly. "I'll catch up to you later."

Harry watched her leave. "What's wrong with her?"

Sirius shook his head. "Oh, I don't know. Perhaps she's not too happy that her boyfriend is going to leave her for a year."

"Sirius--" Harry began. "It's only a year."

"A year is a long time, Harry," Sirius told him.

Harry sighed. "Sirius... she told me she loved me today."

"I warned you about this," Sirius reminded him.

"Yeah well..." Harry crossed his arms. "I don't know what to do." he wouldn't meet Sirius's eyes.

"Girls like that aren't around just to have a good time, Harry," Sirius lectured. "You knew that going in. Yet, you did it anyway."

"Look," Harry said. "I've told her since I came here that I'd be leaving soon as the case was over."

"And you never gave her reason to think you'd stay afterwards?" Sirius asked raising an eyebrow at him.

Harry shook his head. "Not that I know of... shit. I might have mentioned I would ask about staying..."

"Perhaps I should ask Hagrid about giving you shovel to dig yourself out of this massive hole you've made for yourself."

"Shut up Sirius," Harry snapped. "It's not like I'm in love with her or anything!"

"Mighty defensive, aren't we?" Sirius asked.

"No," Harry said quickly.

"How do you feel about this girl, Harry?"

"I like her," Harry answered.

"And that's all?"

"Why do you ask?" Harry shook his head.

"I like her," Sirius said. "And I don't want to see her get hurt."

"I'm not going to hurt her," Harry crossed his arms.

Sirius levelled his gaze at his godson. "You just did."

"Sirius this doesn't concern you," Harry said angrily.

"What are you getting angry with me for?" Sirius asked him. "I'm just calling it like I see it."

"What's going on between me and Hermione is no one's business but ours," Harry said darkly.

"Fair enough," Sirius said holding up his hands. "I need to get back to Headquarters anyway."

"Fine," Harry said, his mood changing. "I can't really believe we got that assignment."

Sirius smiled. "I guess Remus was right...hard work does pay off every now and then."

"Soon as I'm out of here, we're there," Harry swore.

"I'll be in touch," Sirius said clapping him on the back.

Harry nodded as he left the field and headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

The common room was full of students chatting and speculating about what had gone on at the Quidditch match. Harry looked for Hermione and finally spotted her in the corner talking to Lavender Brown. He didn't even know the two girls were friendly.

He was going to go over to talk to her, but decided to go shower and get changed into something more comfortable first.

Lavender patted Hermione's shoulder. "He's a wanker, Hermione. You deserve better."

Hermione shrugged. "I told myself not to fall for him... but I didn't listen."

"It was the same, exact way with me and Ron," Lavender said sympathetically. "I knew he was a complete moron, but I couldn't help myself. And in the end, I was the one who ended up hurt."

"Yeah but you bounced back, right?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"Of course," Lavender said nodding. "And you will too."

Hermione hadn't told her friend about Harry's leaving, but she had told her about telling him she was in love with him and his less than enthusiastic response.

"I just feel like such a fool now for saying it aloud," Hermione rubbed her forehead.

"In retrospect, you definitely should have waited," Lavender said thoughtfully. "He should say it first, but you'll know better next time, Hermione. And you're not the fool here, he is."

"Thanks Lavender," Hermione said. "It's been really nice talking to you lately."

"See?" Lavender asked. "I'm not a complete bubblehead."

Hermione laughed. "Definitely not."

"We should definitely hang out together more," Lavender said.

Hermione nodded. "I'd like that a lot," she said, straightening up as Harry came back down the stairs. His hair was damp, and he was wearing a fitted jumper and jeans. He looked so good she almost lost her resolve.

"Hello, Harry," Lavender said icily.

"Hi Lavender," he said. "Can we talk?" he looked over at Hermione.

"I'm going to go and check on Parvati anyway," Lavender said quietly. She looked at Hermione and mouthed the words "Be strong" before heading upstairs.

"Talk about what?" Hermione asked toying with a string on one of the throw pillows.

"You're in a strop with me," he said, sitting down in Lavender's vacated seat.

"I am not," Hermione said quietly. "I don't know why you'd think that."

"This assignment is part of the reason I don't want to stay," he told her. "We've been working towards it for awhile."

"And you never mentioned it to me," Hermione said finally looking at him.

"I wasn't sure it would even happen," Harry pointed out.

"Congratulations," Hermione said tersely. "You have what you want. Nothing else matters."

"That's not true," Harry began.

"You never were going to stay, were you?" Hermione cut him off. "That promise you made to me the other night...you never intended to keep it. You just said it to placate me."

"I never promised!" Harry said.

"I guess I had it wrong then," Hermione said trying very hard to keep her emotions in check. The last thing she wanted to do was get into a shouting match with him in the middle of the crowded common room.

"Hermione, I came here to work on a case," Harry said. "I met you- and you weren't what I expected. I... I care about you."

Hermione gave out a hollow laugh. "That's what I've always wanted. For you to care about me."

"I don't know what you want!" Harry exclaimed. "Damn it, I can't just give up my life!"

"I never asked you to do that," Hermione said in a hushed tone. "But if you knew that you weren't going to stay here and you knew that you didn't want to have any ties, why the hell did you let me--"

"Let you what?" Harry asked. "You wanted that too, Hermione. You asked me to stay that first night."

Hermione nodded. "You were wonderful to me that night. I was still in shock and you stayed with me and you promised that you'd never let anything or anyone hurt me. I felt safe."

"I won't let anything happen to you," Harry told her. "We're partners."

"I don't want just that," Hermione said deciding to lay it all on the line right then and there. "I want more. I want that with you."

Harry stared at her for several moments. "I can't... I can't give all that right now."

"Do you think you ever will?" Hermione asked touching his leg. "Harry---"

"I don't know," he said.

"So," Hermione said withdrawing her hand. "What we've been doing. It's just been shagging, is that it?"

"Hermione, I can't just put a label on what we have," he argued.

Hermione fell silent.

"I told you how I feel," Harry said. "It's all I'm capable of right now. I can't give up this assignment with Sirius."

Hermione nodded, feeling even more like a fool. She should have kept their involvement strictly professional.

Harry didn't know what else to say. "We... we can still do rounds. Kingsley told me before he left that Viktor Krum was spotted coming into Hogsmeade from the direction of the castle."

"McGonagall was in here a few minutes before you arrived," Hermione said in a business-like tone. "She wants us all to stay here until dinner. We can do rounds afterwards."

Harry nodded. "Sounds good."

Hermione looked away.

"Hermione come on," Harry said. "We still have to work together."

She stood up. "I think it's best if we just keep things professional from now on."

"Is this because I didn't say I love you?" Harry asked. "You're just going to close off from me now?"

"You closed off from me the moment I said it to you," Hermione countered.

"If I had, I wouldn't be here now," Harry pointed out.

Hermione sighed. "I should never have said it."

"Look, we still have to work together," Harry said. "We have to make the best of things."

"You handle them your way and I'll handle them mine," Hermione said. "In fact, someone asked me to the Yule Ball today and since you're not going to be here, perhaps I should tell him yes."

"Who?" Harry asked, his eyebrows creasing together.

"Steven Fawcett," Hermione replied. "Why?"

"Who the hell is that?" Harry asked.

"He's in Ravenclaw," Hermione replied, enjoying the fact that he was jealous. "He's always been very nice to me and we chatted at the prefect's meeting this morning."

"I still might be here," Harry said after a moment.

"So you're saying I shouldn't go with Steven then?" Hermione asked him.

Harry hated that he felt jealous. "If I'm still here, we probably have to go together. It's only a few weeks."

"Probably have to go together?" Hermione asked glaring at him. "Well, isn't that a romantic proposal."

"What the hell do you want from me?" Harry snapped. "Damn it, I told you already--"

Hermione too his arm and pushed through the crowd so they could talk in private. They'd already attracted enough attention as it was. She practically shoved him out of the portrait hole.

"What the hell?" he asked angrily.

Hermione pushed him against the wall. "Do you want me?"

"What?" he asked.

"Do. You. Want. Me?" Hermione asked slowly pressing her body to his.

Harry gulped. This was a trick question and he knew whatever he said would get him in deep water. That and currently all the blood in his system was rushing south and he couldn't really think properly.

"It's a simple question," Hermione said in a throaty voice as she touched his chest.

"I uh..." Harry had a lump in his throat the size of a tennis ball. "Oh man..."

"Hmmmm," Hermione murmured kissing his neck.

"Hermione..." he choked out. He wanted to tell her he DID want her, but words simply weren't possible at the moment.

"Yes, Harry?" Hermione asked softly.

"I... I just...." His eyes were nearly crossing as she traced her fingers over his chest.

"Yes or no?" Hermione asked arching against him.

"You're playing dirty," he said through clenched teeth.

"You remember that first night?" Hermione asked softly, her hands reaching under his jumper. "That night in the pub? When you saw me in that dress?"

"Yeah?" he said, biting down hard on his lower lip.

"No one's ever looked at me that way before," Hermione said pressing her lips against his. "No one's ever made me feel that way before."

His heart beat faster as his hands moved around her hips, keeping her close.

"And so, I ask you again," Hermione said looked up at him. "What do you want?"

He wanted her... he wanted her desperately. But when he opened his mouth, nothing came out.

"You're driving me crazy," Hermione whispered looking down. "I can feel how much you want me right now, Harry...”

"All right..." he said.”I want you... you already knew that."

"And that's it," Hermione said quietly pushing away from him.

"Hermione..." he reached out for her.

"What?" she asked.

It hit him in that exact moment- he suddenly realised he was falling in love with her. But he wasn't sure how she would react if he just came out and said it.

Hermione took his hand. Perhaps it had been too soon to expect him to say it back. They had only known each other for a few weeks. "Maybe you're right," she whispered.

"What?" he asked his eyes wide. Had she guessed?

"Maybe we should just take it day by day," Hermione replied. "And just enjoy what time we do have together."

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Maybe that's best."

"And Steven isn't much of a dancer," Hermione said.

Harry half smiled. "I'm not either."

"You could show me," Hermione said smiling at him.

He laughed. "Now? Here?"

"We could find a classroom," she suggested.

"We're not supposed to leave the common room," he pointed out.

"We already have," she stated.

He liked her much better like this and at least she wasn't asking him to tell her how he was feeling. "Okay, but if you we get caught, I'm telling them it was all your idea."

"Chicken," Hermione rolled her eyes. She still wasn't happy about Harry's avoidance of her answer and his obvious excitement at leaving, but she'd take this for now.

"Okay, Granger," Harry said. "Lead the way."

Hermione quickly found an empty classroom. "Okay," she said. "Show me what you've got."

"By myself?" he asked her. "No way..."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Well how am I supposed to help you if you don't tell me or show me what you know?"

"Let me guess," Harry said. "In the middle of those kung fu lessons of yours, you took ballroom dance, too?"

"No," Hermione gave him a look. "I'm not that great a dancer but I know a few things."

"Okay," Harry said taking her hands. "I'm your student."

Hermione put his left hand up on her shoulder and his right on her waist. "This is a classic ballroom pose," she said.

"Okay," Harry said smiling at her. "So that's what we do with our hands, what about our feet?"

"We move them," she said. "Like this..."

Harry tried to mimic her movements, trying not to trip over his own feet. "I'm not very good at this."

"It's okay," she said. "You're all right."

"Right," Harry said. "In some alternate universe, maybe, but in this one, I'm rubbish."

"You'll pass inspection at the dance," Hermione answered. "Besides, we probably won't be doing much dancing there. It's the perfect opportunity for our little friend to try something."

Harry nodded. "You're probably right."

"I'm going to write to Sirius," Hermione said. "To let them know what we think."

"He'll be glad to hear from you," Harry said. "I think my godfather likes you more than he likes me."

"I'm really sure," Hermione answered dryly.

"I-I'm sorry for not telling you about the assignment," Harry told her.

She was quiet. "Would you really be gone for a year?"

He stopped dancing with her. "Yeah."

Hermione nodded. "Let's not talk about it now."

"If that's what you want," he said nodding.

"We should probably get back to the common room," Hermione pulled away from him. She'd managed to forget about his new assignment until he'd brought it up. And now all she could think about was that it was more important to him than she was.

"Hermione---"

"Let's just get back," she held up a hand. "You were right- I don't want to get in trouble. We should probably talk to Dumbledore sometime this evening."

"Right," Harry nodded.

Hermione also nodded and she walked out of the classroom.

When they walked out of the classroom, they met Professor McGonagall.

"Professor," Hermione started to explain.

"Miss Granger," McGonagall said. "Mr. Potter, have you seen Luna Lovegood today?"

"At breakfast," Hermione said. "No one's seen her? Do you think she was attacked?"

McGonagall shook her head. "I'm not sure, Miss. Granger. But no one's seen her since last night at dinner."

Hermione was worried as was Harry. "We'll go look for her," he offered.

"Stay together," McGonagall said. "And be careful."

"Yes Professor," Hermione drew her wand.

"I'm sure she's okay," Harry said as he and Hermione set off to patrol the third floor.

"I just feel like with every attack, the person doing it grows stronger and we grow weaker," Hermione said. "I know we've found things out through research, and I know we've had run in's, but it just doesn't feel like enough,"

"It's frustrating, but eventually they'll make a mistake and we have to be there to trip them up," Harry said looking over his shoulder. "I mean you heard what Kingsley said about us, right?"

"I was there," Hermione replied.

"I just wanted you to know that they recognise what a good job you've done," Harry said.

"Kingsley told me," Hermione answered.

"You handled yourself really well with Moody," Harry said looking sideways at her.

"I've had practise dealing with difficult people," Hermione said.

"By difficult, you mean me?"

"Not necessarily," she answered. "I was thinking more of Ron."

"Ron can certainly try your patience," Harry agreed. "But you more than hold your own against him."

"I feel bad that he was almost hit by that spell," Hermione said.

"I got to him in time," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "That was pretty incredible, Harry."

Without even realising it, Harry had taken her hand in his. "I was worried about you, too."

"Me?" she asked. "I was fine."

"But you were far away from me and if something had happened..."

"I can handle myself," Hermione said. "I know I didn't do so well that... one time but I'm better prepared."

"I know you are," he said. "You're going to be a great Auror, Hermione. I know it."

"I hope so," Hermione avoided his stare.

"You know you'll be busy the next three years training," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I suppose," Hermione answered.

"Just because I leave doesn't mean we have to end what we have," Harry continued.

"Harry I really don't want to talk about this now," Hermione said. "Please."

"Everyone in my life that I've cared about has---except for Sirius----has...look, this isn't easy for me," he said wanting for her to understand where he was coming from.

She pulled her hand from his and crossed her arms.

"Hermione-"

"I don't want excuses, okay?" she said a bit harshly.

"I'm not giving you excuses," Harry said in exasperation. "You wanted to know how I felt and I'm telling you. Okay?"

Hermione supposed she was pouting a bit because it wasn't what she wanted to hear. "Fine," she said quietly.

"Don't turn away from me," he said reaching for her again. "I need you."

"What?" Hermione's eyes widened.

"You heard me," he said.

"You need me... for this assignment?" she ventured. "Or..."

"Both," he said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Hermione was hardly able to breathe. "Harry do you love me?"

"I've never been in love," he said softly. "I don't know it feels like, Hermione."

"It's a pretty incredible feeling," she said, encouraged. "You'll know it if you feel it Harry."

Harry leaned in and softly kissed her.

Hermione responded to it at first, but pushed him away. "I can't do this."

"Can't do what?" he asked.

"This!" she exclaimed. "I can't just be your shag partner, Harry. I'm not that type of girl!"

"You think that's what I'm doing?" He asked her. "You really think that's how I'm treating you?"

"When you can't admit your feelings?" Hermione asked. "Yes, I do."

He couldn't believe that was how she saw him after all they'd been through.

"Make up your damn mind, Hermione," he said walking ahead of her. "One minute it's that you love me and that it's okay if I don't say it back and then the next you're accusing me of using you."

Hermione huffed. "You're a jackass."

"And you're like every girl I've ever met," Harry shot back over his shoulder.

Hermione stopped completely still. "How dare you say that to me?" she asked.

"How dare you accuse me of just shagging you?" Harry retorted. "If you thought that was all we were doing, you don't know me at all, Hermione."

"If I'm like every girl, then you're like any guy," Hermione shot back. "You didn't spare me a second glance until you saw me dressed up. After that you couldn't keep your hands off me."

She had him there and he looked guiltily down at the floor.

"Ronald---"

"What was that?" Harry asked turning with his wand pointed straight ahead. "Luna?"

Hermione rushed past him. "Luna! What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"I don't know..." Luna's blue eyes were unfocused. "I was going to the game and all of a sudden I just felt like I was knocked out. I woke up in the corridor..."

"Did you see anyone?" Harry asked her as he and Hermione helped her to her feet.

Luna winced. "My head hurts..."

"Let's get you to the infirmary," Hermione said, turning her back on Harry. "It'll be okay Luna."

"Ronald's okay, isn't he?" Luna asked grabbing onto Hermione's arm. "Please? Tell me he's okay."

"He's fine," Hermione replied. "But how did you know about him?"

Luna opened her mouth to respond, but her eyes suddenly rolled back in her head and she passed out. Harry caught her just in time.

"Let's get her to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione said brusquely.

Harry nodded picking the blonde up and following Hermione silently toward the Hospital Wing.

Once they were there, Hermione told the nurse where they had found Luna and Madam Pomfrey directed them to one of the beds.

"I'll go and tell Professor Dumbledore," Harry offered.

Hermione didn't look at him as she sat down by Luna's bedside.

Madam Pomfrey hurried about examining Luna. Hermione noticed that Luna wasn't wearing her cork necklace. In it's place was some sort of pendant that Hermione had never seen before. It was certainly unusual and she couldn't tell if the metal was gold or not.

"Where did she get that?" Hermione asked herself silently. She found a piece of parchment and did a quick, crude sketch so she could research it.

"She has a slight fever," Madam Pomfrey announced. "I wonder how long she's been out?"

"She fainted a few minutes ago," Hermione told her.

"This child hasn't been getting enough sleep," Madam Pomfrey said shaking her head. "You're all the same, you know? Working yourselves to the limits..."

"I'm fine," Hermione interrupted.

"Hmmmph," Madam Pomfrey said. "Will you stay with her while I fetch the potions?"

"Of course," Hermione agreed.

Madam Pomfrey hurried away and Hermione studied Luna, who was beginning to stir. "Ronald....can't....no...."

"Luna," Hermione said. "He's okay..."

Luna gripped Hermione's arm. "Ronald means everything to me. You have to believe me!"

"I believe you," Hermione said, looking at her strangely. "Luna, what do you know about who attacked you?"

"C-can I have a glass of water?" Luna asked trying to sit up. "My mouth is dry..."

"Sure," Hermione got up and went for the jug on the other side of the room.

Luna fingered the pendant and tried to remember the events of last night. Everything was such a blur.

"Here you go," Hermione said. "Where did you get the pendant?"

"What?" Luna asked after taking a sip of water.

"That pendant," Hermione said. "You always have that cork necklace on-- didn't Ron give it back to you?"

"Yes, but I wanted to wear this since I found it on an expedition with my father last summer," Luna replied.

"Oh," Hermione answered. "It's um... it's very pretty.'

Luna took another sip of her water. "I'm so sleepy."

"You should rest then," Hermione said. "Madam Pomfrey's getting you some potions."

"Dumbledore's going to come down in a minute," Harry burst back into the room, making Luna jump.

She dropped the glass and the water spilled all over her jumper and onto her jeans.

Hermione gasped and grabbed a towel. "Nice going, Harry." she glared at him.

Harry sighed. It didn't matter what he said or did now, everything was going to piss her off. "I stopped off at the common room to let Ron know. He's on his way, too."

"Ronald's coming?" Luna asked. "He's okay?"

"That's a matter for debate," Harry said sitting down. "But physically, he's fine."

"I heard he was nearly attacked," Luna's eyes were filled with tears.

"I got to him in time," Harry said still wondering how Luna could have known this, given that she was knocked out. He figured that Hermione must have filled Luna in on the events of the day.

Dumbledore came into the room and he looked concernedly at the blonde. "There, there, Miss Lovegood. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you."

Luna nodded. "Thank you sir."

"Can you remember anything more about what happened?" Dumbledore asked gently.

Luna wiped at her eyes as Ron came rushing into the room.

"Luna," Ron said softly.

One look at his face and she burst into tears again. Hermione stood back so Ron could sit at Luna's side.

Ron put his arms around her and held her while she cried. "I was worried when you didn't meet me for breakfast...."

"I overslept," she sobbed into his shoulder. "And you were almost hurt!"

"I'm okay," Ron said patting her back reassuringly. "Better than okay since you're still here with me."

"I was on my way to the game," Luna said in a quivery voice. "And I felt like someone hit me on the back of my head."

Dumbledore nodded. "Miss Lovegood, no one saw you since last night when you went to bed, according to Headmistress McGonagall. Your roommates said that your bed appeared unslept in."

"I was there," Luna struggled to concentrate.

Madam Pomfrey hurried back with a glass of a green liquid that she handed to Luna. "There are entirely too many people in this room! Miss Lovegood needs her rest. You can question her after she's taken her potions and had the chance to get some rest."

"I-I want Ronald to stay with me," Luna said looking pleadingly at Ron.

"If it's okay, I'd like to stay," Ron said, squeezing Luna's hand.

"It's okay with me," Dumbledore replied. "If it's okay with you, Poppy?"

"For a little while," Madam Pomfrey said. "But the rest of you- out!"

Dumbledore motioned for Harry and Hermione to follow him. Hermione avoided looking at Harry.

"You may both patrol the castle, especially where Miss Lovegood was found, to find some clues," he told them.

"Perhaps we could split up," Hermione suggested. "I can take one area and...he....can take the other."

Dumbledore looked back and forth between them for a moment. "If that's what you would like, then by all means."

"I think it would be best if we stuck together," Harry said glaring at her.

"And I think I am more than capable of doing this on my own," Hermione said grabbing her wand and taking off toward the staircase.

Dumbledore watched her go. "I would prefer you stick together, but Miss Granger is capable of handling things on her own." he said.

Harry sighed. "She's stubborn and pig-headed and impossible to understand, sir."

The older man almost smiled. "But she's your partner, Mr. Potter."

"Partner?" Harry asked rolling his eyes. "Yeah..."

"I trust you two won't hinder this investigation with personal problems?" Dumbledore peered over his half moon glasses.

"No sir," Harry replied. He was sure that he could, but he wasn't so sure about Hermione.

Dumbledore nodded. "Very good. I'll leave you to it."

Harry had no idea where Hermione was, so he decided he'd start with where they'd found Luna.

He backtracked down the corridor and began searching the floor closely for any clues.

Hermione tapped him on the shoulder. She wasn't happy to see him, but they were partners. Harry whipped around and nearly hexed her before realising who she was.

"HERMIONE!" Harry yelled. "You scared me half to death!:"

"You're so overdramatic," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I'm overdramatic?" Harry asked her. "That's rich coming from you."

"I'm not here to argue with you," Hermione snapped.

"What are you here for then?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I found something," Hermione replied. "Is it too much to ask for you to follow me?"

Harry nodded. "Fine. What did you find?"

Hermione held up a vial. "It's empty, but there was a potion in it. We should take it to Snape and find out what it was."

"And I'm sure he'd be only too happy to help," Harry said sarcastically.

"Perhaps I'll go alone then," Hermione snapped. "I never had a lot of problems with him until YOU came along!"

"Easy," Harry said. "That was directed at Snape, not you. You know he's not going to want to help us, Hermione."

"Then I'll go to Dumbledore," Hermione said, sweeping past him.

"Hermione," Harry said taking off after her.

"What?" she asked, not stopping.

"We need to find some way to work together," he said. "Come on."

"We are working together," Hermione said coolly. "And that's it. We're just working together."

"I know," Harry said tersely. "You know, just this morning, you and I were happy..."

"Amazing how things can change," Hermione said drolly.

"Fascinating," Harry said. He didn't like having her react to him like this, but he certainly couldn't tell her how he was feeling now. She'd never believe him. He wished he could get his hands on a Time Turner and start this whole day over.

"Where did Dumbledore go?" Hermione changed the subject.

"I'm not sure," Harry said. "Perhaps back to his office." This wasn't going to be easy. He just hoped that Ron was having a better time with his girl.

In the hospital wing, Ron watched as Luna finished drinking her potion. "How's that?" he asked her.

"It tastes horrible," Luna set the glass aside.

Ron reached for her hand. "Are you comfortable enough?"

Luna nodded. "Are you really okay?"

Ron couldn't believe she was concerned about him after all that happened to her. "Yeah, I'm good."

"I'm glad," Luna said. "I don't know what I'd do if you'd gotten hurt Ronald."

Ron leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I feel the same way about you, Luna."

"You do?" Luna asked softly.

Ron nodded. "I actually thought you stood me up again. I'm sorry..."

"I haven't been very good at meeting you," Luna looked down at her lap.

"You've been preoccupied," he said looking to see if Madam Pomfrey was in sight. When he didn't spot her, he got onto the bed with Luna and held her. "It's okay."

Luna hugged him tightly as she buried her face in his chest.

"That's going to change now," Ron said. "I'm going to watch over you and protect you."

Luna's heart beat quicker. "Ronald?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm in love with you," she said softly.

Ron looked thoughtfully at her. "Really? Hmmm....well, that's good to know because..."

"Because?" Luna asked hopefully.

"Because....I happen to be in love with you too," Ron whispered.

"You are?" Luna asked. "You're not just saying that?"

"I'm not just saying it," Ron told her.

"Thank you, Ronald," Luna said, laying her head on his shoulder.

"Madam Pomfrey said that stuff would make you sleep," Ron said stroking her hair.

Luna nodded. "I'm starting to feel it."

"I'll stay here with you," Ron promised.

"The whole time?" she asked.

"The whole time," Ron promised kissing the top of her head. "And I'd like to see that old bat try and kick me out."

Luna smiled slightly and snuggled in closer to him.

"I'm so happy," Luna whispered.

"Me too," Ron admitted.

"I always imagined being with you like this," Luna said closing her eyes. "And it's really happening."

"Yeah it is," Ron stroked her hair. "I never really thought I could feel like this about you, Luna. But I'm glad we're together."

"No matter what?" Luna asked holding on tightly to him.

"No matter what," he agreed as she finally fell asleep.

-->

15. Chapter 15

Authors’ note: Okay, you guys. You’re going to get jealous/snarky Harry and Hermione in this chapter. We both had a lot of fun writing this chapter and we hope you enjoy it, too!

The next Hogsmeade weekend arrived not long after the Quidditch match and despite everything going on, Dumbledore allowed the students to go- mainly so the girls could shop for their robes. Harry and Hermione, who had barely spoken to each other all week, rode silently in the same carriage.

"Would you mind not doing that?" Hermione asked glaring at him.

"What?" Harry snapped.

"Kicking your foot on my seat," Hermione said angrily. "It's annoying."

Harry smirked at her and kicked it a few times more just to piss her off.

"Very mature," Hermione countered. "I know two-year olds who act better than you."

"Oh that one hurt," Harry clutched his chest.

Hermione turned away and looked out the window. She couldn't believe she'd actually allowed herself to fall for someone like this.

Harry watched her, unnoticed, for several moments. Part of him wished that things hadn't turned so sour between them, but it might be better this way. His life was his duty as an Auror.

"I have to get my dress robes," Hermione said absently.

"What?" Harry asked.

"My dress robes for the ball," Hermione said looking at him. "We...we should probably coordinate. What colour are yours?"

Harry looked at her in confusion. "You still think it'd be wise if we went together?"

"Why not?" Hermione asked him folding her arms. "I can be professional if you can."

"Fine," Harry said sharply. "My dress robes are green."

"Like your eyes," Hermione said without thinking.

"So I've been told," Harry answered.

Hermione looked down at her lap. "Um, right. So, I'll get green robes then."

He shrugged. "If you want."

"Or maybe not," Hermione said wishing the damn carriage would move faster. "I'm sure Lavender will help me pick out something nice."

Harry didn't reply, only hoped they'd get down to the village soon. It would have been faster if they'd taken the secret passage.

"Luna seems to be bouncing back from her attack," Hermione commented. She'd seen the blonde get into a carriage with Ron.

"Yeah," Harry was still watching out the window. "He seems really happy with her."

Hermione nodded. "I'm happy for them. She's wanted to be with him for quite some time."

"Wouldn't know," Harry shrugged.

"Obviously," Hermione muttered under her breath.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked sarcastically. "So I haven't been at this bloody school for seven years like the rest of you? Who fucking cares?"

Thankfully, they'd arrived at the village and Hermione didn't have to spend anymore time with him. "Obviously you don't," she said before getting out of the carriage and hurrying to catch up to Lavender.

Harry rolled his eyes as he casually walked down the middle of the main road. He kept his eyes peeled and one hand on his wand in case he saw anything suspicious.

He thought about going into The Three Broomsticks to get something to eat when he saw a beautiful, leggy blonde heading in his direction. He smiled and shook his head. He had a feeling she'd find some way to get into this investigation. She was a couple years older than Harry and was entering her last year of training.

"Hello, Potter," Melanie Montgomery drawled.

"Mel," Harry grinned back at her. "What brings you around?"

"Extra security for you whipper-snappers," Melanie teased. "Us trainees pulled the detail."

He shook his head. "Well come on and let me buy you a drink."

She took his hand. "Fabulous idea."

"How's everything going at the Ministry?" he asked.

"Boring without you around," Melanie replied. "What's it like being a normal teenager?"

"It sucks," Harry answered. "I have to do stupid homework and all that rubbish."

Melanie laughed and led the way into The Three Broomsticks. A few of Harry's fellow students saw him with the blonde and gaped at him. "And how about the girls?" Melanie asked.

Harry shrugged. "They're all right."

"Liar," Melanie said grinning at him.

"What?" Harry asked.

"I know you," Melanie said. "And I can imagine that you've had one or two since you've been there. Sirius said that was the main reason you decided to go."

"Whatever," Harry rolled his eyes and ordered some mead.

They spent the next few minutes talking about people they knew and what was going on with Melanie's training. Harry had to admit it was nice being around an uncomplicated female.

"And so Jones and I are going to be going out Friday," Melanie said with a satisfied smile. "He's almost as cute as you," she flirted. "If you weren't younger than me..."

Harry hadn't heard what she'd said because he'd caught sight of Hermione entering the pub with...Viktor Krum. What the hell was he doing here? And why hadn't she mentioned it?

He narrowed his eyes at the pair as he moved his stool closer to Melanie.

"It is very crowded in here, Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor commented.

"I know," Hermione answered. "But we can find a nice, cosy corner booth."

Viktor put his arm around her. "I like very much that idea."

"Good," Hermione said in a low tone."

Hermione scanned the room for an empty table and spotted Harry with another girl. A very pretty girl, at that.

"Hermy-own-ninny?" Viktor asked.

She didn't answer at first.

"Nothing," Hermione said quickly. "Nothing at all...'

Harry smiled at Melanie, hoping Hermione was still watching. "So you and Jones?" he asked. "He sort of looks like me."

Melanie shook her head. "You're much cuter.”

"I knew it," Harry grinned.

"And you are a better kisser," Melanie said leaning in.

"I knew that too," Harry said. "You were my first, after all."

"Glad I could teach you something," Melanie said. "You were a very good student though.”

"You were a good teacher," Harry flirted. "Still are, I bet."

"You up for a refresher course?" Melanie asked softly.

"Maybe," Harry saw from the corner of his eye that Hermione was glaring over at them.

"I promise not to tell Jones if you don't," Melanie said before leaning across the table.

Harry didn't have much time to react before Melanie kissed him.

Hermione restrained herself from going over and telling Harry off for behaving like that in front of her. But, she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of letting him know that this was bothering her.

"Hermy-own-ninny..." Viktor reached for her hand.

"What?" Hermione asked sharply.

"I'm glad to see you," he said simply.

"Oh, yeah," Hermione said hastily. "Me too."

Viktor smiled at her. "You have been keeping care of yourself, I see."

Hermione smiled at him. "You're sweet to say that, Viktor."

Viktor grinned back and moved closer to her in the booth.

Harry pulled away from Melanie. "Mel---"

"You're as good as you always were," Melanie said flirtatiously.

"Better than---what the hell?" Harry asked seeing Viktor snogging Hermione.

"What?" Melanie looked in the same direction he was. "Why Harry Potter... have you fallen for some girl?"

"Pardon me, Melanie," Harry said standing up. "I'm going to go and kick his arse."

"Harry..." Melanie called after him but he ignored her.

"Just what the hell do you think you're doing?" Harry snapped, standing in front of the table.

Hermione practically jumped out of her seat. "Harry!"

"What the hell are you doing?" Harry said his eyes dark.

"Why do you care, Potter?" Viktor asked.

"Because," Harry snapped, grabbing Hermione's arm.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed when he started to pull out of the pub. "What in the world has gotten into you? Let me go!"

"Why were you snogging that creep?" Harry demanded.

"Why do you care?" Hermione asked him.

"Because..." Harry stopped.

"And why can you snog some strange girl and its okay?" Hermione rounded on him.

"I didn't snog her!" Harry snapped. "She kissed me!"

"And you really fought her off," Hermione said sarcastically.

"It's better than what you were doing with Krum!" Harry said furiously.

"Yes, well he kissed me," Hermione told him.

"And I see how you really fought him off," Harry used her words.

"Unlike some people, he actually wants to be with me," Hermione retorted.

"Oh and I suppose that's directed at me," Harry crossed his arms.

"You're so smart," Hermione said angrily. "Look, you made it very clear that you only wanted me for one thing. Fine, I've accepted it. But, you can't get jealous just because I found someone who actually fancies me, Harry. Someone who could love me."

"He could never love you like--" Harry stopped himself.

"Like what?" Hermione asked feeling as if her heart had stopped beating.

"Nothing," Harry muttered.

Hermione sighed. "Who is she?"

"Melanie Montgomery," Harry answered. "She's entering her last training session for being an Auror."

"She was the one, wasn't she?" Hermione asked. "The girl you said you'd been with...your first?"

Harry looked away, not wanting to answer.

"Great," Hermione said trying desperately to stave off her tears.

"Hermione--" Harry began.

"What?"

"I just..." Harry didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"No need to apologise," Hermione said softly.

"I'm going to go look around," Harry shoved his hands into his pockets.

Hermione wanted to stop him and tell him that the past few days had been awful. That she missed being with him and that she thought about him all the time. "What about Melanie?" she asked instead.

"What about her?" Harry asked. "She's just a friend."

"Harry--"

"What?" he asked quickly.

"Someone's coming," Hermione whispered pulling him behind the brick wall.

Harry immediately pushed her behind him, drawing his wand.

Hermione held him back when she heard Viktor's voice and someone else's she didn't recognise.

"We would be getting further if you weren't so busy playing tonsil hockey with that Mudblood," the man was saying in an angry voice to Viktor. "We've come way too far for you to blow this over her!"

"You have no idea what my plan is," Viktor was practically growling. "So you stay out of it!"

"You're going to ruin everything," the man hissed. "Bellatrix is not going to be happy with you."

"I'm not afraid of Bellatrix," Viktor snapped.

"You should be," the man retorted. "Your job was simple, Viktor. Get rid of Potter and Granger. And so far, you haven't done anything."

"Get rid of us?" Hermione's eyes widened.

Instinctively, Harry reached for Hermione's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I am working at it," Viktor growled. "I slipped that potion into her drink, but he grabbed her before I could get her to drink it."

Hermione pressed her lips together, never feeling more like a fool in her life.

"Then, I suggest you find her and finish the job," the man said before stalking away. Viktor followed a few minutes later.

Hermione was quiet for a moment before she angrily kicked the wall. "Bastard!"

"I'm not leaving you alone with him ever again," Harry said firmly.

Hermione snorted bitterly. "Like I ever want to be alone with him again."

"I-I guess my jealousy actually helped in this case," Harry mused.

"You were jealous?" Hermione asked uneasily.

"I should think that was obvious," Harry said looking at her.

"I don't know why you're jealous," Hermione looked away from him. "You've made it perfectly clear how you feel about me."

"Because I don't like thinking of anyone else being with you," Harry said coming up behind her. "And I've missed you."

"Don't," Hermione said. "Don't do this to me again."

"I can't say what you want me to say right now," he said putting his hands on her shoulders. "I can't..."

"Why not?" she demanded, pulling away. "If you can't, then just leave me alone."

"There you are," Melanie said coming into the alley. "I wondered where you got to."

Harry sighed in frustration as Hermione pulled away from him.

"Hi," Melanie said to Hermione. "You must be the student that Lupin and Kingsley are so jazzed about."

"Hi," Hermione returned unenthusiastically.

"Listen, Potter," Melanie said when no one introduced them. "I have to go, but maybe we can go out for a laugh when you get through at Hogwarts?"

"Sure," Harry said. "I'll see you soon, Mel."

"Good luck," Melanie whispered pecking him on the cheek.

"Thanks," Harry replied as she left.

"I need to go and get my dress robes," Hermione said.

"We need to go and get your dress robes," Harry corrected her. "I'm not leaving you alone, Hermione.

"I don't need your help," she snapped.

"You might not, but you're getting it," Harry said. "You don't have to say anything to me and I won't say anything to you. Professional, remember?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and walked past him.

Harry stayed a few steps behind her, keeping his eye out for anything suspicious.

She decided to head into Gladrags and still ignoring Harry; let the door bang shut behind her.

"Can I help you miss?" the salesgirl asked.

"I just need a set of robes," Hermione told her. "I'd prefer them to be green, emerald green."

The salesgirl smiled. "Excellent choice. That colour would look fantastic on you with your colouring. I have quite a few that I think would work."

"Thank you," Hermione answered, following her back.

Harry let himself into the shop and spotted Hermione heading to the changing rooms. He knew he was making things worse for her, but he couldn't help it.

"You try those on and let me know if you need any other sizes," another girl was saying to her.

"Thanks," Hermione said closing the door.

Harry sat himself down on a wooden bench just across from her dressing room and waited.

Hermione quickly changed into the first set of dress robes. She stepped out of the dressing room and stood before the mirror.

"Those look nice," Harry said.

Hermione didn't turn around but she could still see him in the mirror.

"The young man is right," the salesgirl said. "Are you going to wear your hair up or down?"

"I don't know yet," Hermione answered.

"I think you should wear it up," the salesgirl said thoughtfully.

"Maybe I will," Hermione said. "I'm going to try that other set now."

A few other students entered the shop and the salesgirl excused herself to wait on them. Hermione reached awkwardly for the zipper, but couldn't reach it.

"Let me," Harry said standing up.

"No thank you," Hermione said coldly. "I can get it myself."

Harry watched her struggle for a few moments. "Will you just let me help you?"

"I don't need your help!"

"Fine," Harry relented.

Hermione groaned as she realised she couldn't reach the zipper.

Harry tried not to smile as he watched her.

"Shut up," she glared at him.

"I didn't say anything," Harry pointed out.

"You were thinking it," Hermione said. "Fine... will you please help me?"

"Yes," Harry said standing behind her.

Hermione held her breath as he gently eased the zipper down in back.

"There," Harry said softly.

"Thanks," Hermione held the robes up even though they weren't about to fall off her.

"You're welcome."

She wanted to head back into the dressing room but she felt as if her feet were rooted to the floor.

"Hermione," he whispered in her ear.

She swallowed hard and hated how fast her body responded to him.

He kissed her bare shoulder.

Hermione's entire body trembled at the feel of his lips on her skin.

"Do you want me to stop?" he whispered against her skin.

"No," she admitted, her voice thick.

"Come with me," he said leading her back into the changing room. Before she could try and talk him out of this, he crashed his lips to hers.

Try as she might, Hermione was completely unable to resist him. She wrapped her arms around him as he pulled the robes off her.

"I've missed you," he said huskily as she tugged at his jumper.

"Me too," Hermione pressed her lips back to his.

Harry pressed her against the wall.

Her breath came rapidly as she ran her hands over his now bare shoulders.

Harry nipped at her bottom lip while she unzipped his trousers and pulled them down along with his boxers.

Hermione cast a quick spell on herself before she reached for her knickers and tugged at them. "Please," she whimpered.

With one deft movement, Harry thrust inside her.

"Oh Merlin," she let out a strangled cry.

There was a knock on the door, "How is that fit?" the salesgirl called out.

"Um... fine," Hermione said in a bit of a strangled tone.

"Beautiful," Harry whispered pressing deeper into her.

"I'll just leave these others just outside the door," the salesgirl said.

"Thank you," Hermione nearly bit down on Harry's shoulder as she tried desperately not to cry out.

"Hermione," Harry choked out. "Do you know what you're doing to me?"

She was incapable of even speaking at that moment.

"I've never...ever...wanted....anyone....like this," Harry said in between kisses.

"Me either," Hermione said, hating and loving this at the same time.

He drove into her one last time and then shuddered against her.

"Harry," she said, running her fingers through his damp hair.

"You have just made me like shopping," he said looking at her. "And I didn't think that was possible."

She smiled a little. "I never liked it much until now either."

Harry gave her a lingering kiss. "You are so beautiful, Hermione."

She didn't really know what to say to that, so she reached down for her undergarments.

Harry started to get dressed too, feeling better than he had in the past few days. Things were going to be back to how they were.

"Guess I'll get these," Hermione pulled the robes off the floor.

"Let me," he said taking them from her.

"I can get them," she shook her head.

"Okay," he said. "But at least let me buy you lunch."

It was on the tip of her tongue to ask why he wanted to do this, but she only nodded. "What if we see Viktor?"

"I'll kick his arse," Harry said simply.

"I can't believe he was trying to poison me," Hermione said quietly.

"I can," Harry said grimly. "I've never trusted him, Hermione."

Hermione poked her head out and when she saw no one around, she stepped out of the dressing room. "I'll just go buy these then..."

"I'll wait for you out front," he promised.

She nodded as she went up to pay for her new robes.

"Did you find everything you needed?" the salesgirl asked her.

"Yes," Hermione blushed. "Thank you for your help."

"My pleasure," the woman said. "And if I might say so, your boyfriend looked like you took his breath away."

"I hope so," Hermione answered softly, looking out the window.

"Hello, Hermione," Neville said behind her.

"Neville," Hermione said, smiling at him. "How's everything going?"

"Fine," Neville replied with a grin. "Ginny and I had lunch and then we came in here to get her some accessories for her some accessories for her dress robes."

Hermione's smile slipped as she saw the younger girl perusing some of the shelves. "I'm glad you're having a nice time together," she said.

Neville grinned. "We are. I can't believe I fancied her for this long and we're actually together."

He obviously had no idea that Ginny had been frolicking around with Malfoy and while Hermione wanted to tell him, she knew it wasn't her place.

"Hello, Hermione," Ginny said quietly joining the two of them.

"Hi," Hermione said coolly. "I have to go. Um... Harry's waiting just outside for me."

"I thought the two of you had broken up," Ginny said smugly. "You poor delusional thing..."

"Excuse me?" Hermione's eyebrow arched up. "What goes on between us is none of your business, Ginny."

"Did you find anything?" Neville asked changing the subject.

"For the ball?" Hermione asked. "Yes I did."

"Something brown and drab, I'm sure," Ginny said haughtily.

Hermione pressed her lips together momentarily. "Ginny," she began in a saccharine voice. "You didn't by chance happen to leave a cloak up in the Astronomy Tower one night did you? I came across it while doing rounds... for some reason it has blond hairs all over it...." she narrowed her eyes in a catlike fashion.

Neville didn't notice how pale Ginny became. "I don't think it would be Gin's. Is it?"

Ginny shook her head. "Hermione's being delusional again. In case she's missed it, I have red hair, not blonde. Perhaps it was that slag, Lavender Brown."

"I don't think so," Hermione replied. "Besides, it had your initials sewn on the label inside."

Ginny glared at her. "I-I must have left it the other night during Astronomy."

"I see," Hermione nodded. "It's in the common room, if you'd like to claim it."

Neville looked at the jewellery in his girlfriend's hands. "Let me get those for you, love."

"Thank you Neville," Ginny smiled sweetly at him.

"I'll see you later, Hermione," Neville said.

"Bye Neville," Hermione cast one last icy look at Ginny before leaving the shop.

Ginny watched her go feeling sick to her stomach. Hermione knew about her and Draco. Of all people to know, it had to be her. She looked over at Neville who was buying her something else. He was the sweetest boy in the world and she was betraying him. Even though she hadn't seen Draco Malfoy since that night, she'd thought about him often.

Impulsively, she went over to him and gave him a hug from behind.

Neville chuckled. "What's that for?"

"Just because you're so sweet to me," Ginny said.

"That's because I love you so much," Neville said.

"You love me?" Ginny asked, pleased.

Neville nodded, his cheeks turning red. "I always have, Gin."

She leaned in and kissed his cheek as the clerk wrapped her new jewellery in a bag.

"Thank you," Neville said taking the bag. "So, where do you want to go next?"

"I don't care," Ginny squeezed his hand as they left the store. "We could just walk around for a bit."

"Doesn't matter to me," Neville said smiling adoringly at her.

Ginny leaned against him and failed to notice Malfoy approaching them rapidly.

"I was talking to my---" Neville started to say.

"Ginny," Malfoy came up to them. "I need to speak with you."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Ginny said coldly.

"We're just going for a walk, Malfoy," Neville said trying to push past him.

"I want to speak with you," Malfoy said, looking at her intently.

"Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of Neville," Ginny said linking arms with her boyfriend.

Malfoy's grin turned snide. "Are you sure about that?"

Neville looked at his girlfriend. He wasn't sure what Malfoy could possibly want with her. But, he wasn't about to leave her alone with him.

"Go away, Malfoy," Neville said mustering up every ounce of courage.

"No, I don't think I will," Malfoy crossed his arms. "I want to speak with you, and I'm not leaving until I do."

"Fine," Ginny said in exasperation. "Neville, can you give us a minute?"

Neville stared at her in disbelief as Malfoy smirked at him.

"Just a minute," Ginny pleaded. "And then we can continue with our walk."

Neville shook his head and stalked away.

"What is it?" Ginny demanded, her hands on her hips.

"What do you see in him?" Draco asked with a laugh. "He's a lump, Red."

"He loves me," Ginny said glaring at him. "He cares about me and he treats me well."

"I could treat you better," Draco's eyes bored into hers.

"I doubt that," Ginny said folding her arms. "What do you want, Malfoy? What was so important?"

"I just wanted to talk to you," he replied. "I want to meet up again."

"No," Ginny replied instantly.

"You know you want to," he said, moving closer. He could see Longbottom fume from the corner of his eye.

Ginny stepped back. "What I want is to be with Neville."

"I don't think it really is what you want," he moved closer again.

Ginny shivered. "Y-you don't know me."

"I know more than you think I do," Malfoy said softly.

Ginny looked away. "Don't."

"Why?" Malfoy asked. "Because he's watching? You'll never be happy with him."

"And I would be with you?" Ginny asked. "I don't trust you, Malfoy."

"Because you haven't taken the time to get to know me," he answered, stepping closer again.

Ginny wanted to be in his arms, but she couldn't give in to her feelings. She wouldn't hurt Neville. "He just told me he loves me, Draco."

"That's adorable," he said sarcastically.

"This will never work between you and me," Ginny argued. "You know that I’m right."

"How would I know that if you never gave me a chance?" Malfoy asked.

Ginny bit her bottom lip. "Where do you want to meet?"

He grinned in satisfaction. "Same place, same time?"

"Okay," Ginny whispered.

He turned and strode away, and within seconds Neville was back at her side. "What did he want?"

"He wanted to give me a hard time about Ron and Luna," Ginny lied.

Neville rolled his eyes. "Why doesn't he ever just mind his own business?"

Ginny was wondering the same thing. And she felt terrible for lying to Neville. Tonight would be the last time she would do something like this. She'd get Malfoy out of her system and then she and Neville could move on.

"Come on," he said, putting an arm around her. "Let's go get something to drink."

"I'd like that," Ginny said giving him a kiss. "Neville, I-I love you too."

His smile was so bright she immediately felt guilty again. "Really?"

Ginny nodded. "You deserve so much better than me."

"I'll be the judge of that," he said.

Hermione followed Harry out of the sweet shop and shook her head when she saw Ginny with Neville. "I cannot stand that cow."

Harry also looked over in their direction. "Neville's a good guy," he said. "I hope he realises it sooner or later."

"If you could have seen her in Gladrags," Hermione said getting angry just thinking about it. "I wanted to wipe that smirk off her face."

"I don't know what her deal is," Harry said. "And I don't think I want to know."

"Just be glad she doesn't have her sights set on you anymore," Hermione said reaching into her bag for some of the sweets.

Harry rolled his eyes. "She never had a chance."

"That's what I like to hear," Hermione said offering him the sweets. "It's only fair since you bought it..."

"Thanks," Harry said.

"I wonder where Krum ran off to," Hermione said looking around.

"Since we sabotaged his plan, you mean?" Harry asked a bit snidely. "Fucking coward."

"I feel like such an idiot for actually trusting him," Hermione said. "And thinking that he was attracted to me."

"He wouldn't know what to do with someone like you if he did get you," Harry said. "You're too incredible for the likes of him."

Hermione smiled at him. "Harry--"

He leaned in and gave her a kiss.

She wasn't naive enough to think that their activities in that dressing room made everything okay. They still some things to hash out and maybe she'd pushed him too far too fast. "You're pretty incredible, too, when you want to be, Harry."

"I try," he sent her a rather charming grin.

Hermione put the sweets away in her bag and took his hand. They walked down the sidewalk keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

"Melanie's really pretty," Hermione commented.

"She's pretty popular with the other trainees," Harry answered.

Hermione nodded. "I can see why."

"It was only the one time," Harry said after a moment. "I swear, Hermione."

"It's okay," Hermione reassured him. "It was something in your past. "

"I just don't want you to think--" he began.

"I'll admit I didn't like seeing her tongue down your throat," Hermione interjected.

"She didn't kiss me like that," Harry said.

"It was the only reason I let Krum kiss me," Hermione admitted.

"The jealousy thing worked a bit," Harry admitted. "Seems like it did on both sides."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed.

"It was pretty stupid," he nodded.

"But we can get past it," Hermione said. "We're good together, both professionally and---'

"Right," Harry nodded again. "Both."

"So where do you want to go next?" Hermione asked squeezing his hand.

"I don't know," Harry said. "It doesn't seem like anything's really going to happen down here today."

Hermione nodded. "And I'm all set for the ball."

"We could go back to the castle," Harry suggested.

"Great idea," Hermione said. "And if you're really nice, I'll let you have some more of my chocolate."

"Hmm..." Harry said. "There's something I like better than chocolate that involves you."

Hermione blushed. "Oh really?"

He opened the door to one of the waiting carriages and helped her inside. "Yup."

"I love the way your mind works," Hermione said pulling him in with her.

No sooner had the door shut behind them than they were kissing in a frenzied passion.

Hermione giggled. "Your hands are cold."

"Warm them up for me," Harry breathed against her neck.

"With pleasure," Hermione said guiding his hands under her jumper.

They both shivered and kissed again, not caring about anything other than each other in that moment.

A few minutes later, Hermione was sated and sleepy as she cuddled up beside him. "It gets better every time, doesn't it?"

"I like to think so," Harry was glad this time that the carriages were so slow.

"I don't have anything or anyone else to compare it to," Hermione said softly. "But I can't imagine being with anyone else and it feeing this way. Does that make any sense?"

"Yeah," he answered quietly.

Hermione closed her eyes. "I don't want to go sleep, but I'm knackered."

"I'll wake you up when we get to the castle." Harry told her.

"Okay," Hermione said sleepily.

He kissed her forehead as she drifted off. Only when he was sure she was asleep did he speak. "I do love you," he whispered.

"I love you so much," he continued. "And it scares me to death."

Unbeknownst to Harry, Hermione was still awake and had heard everything. She opened her mouth to tell him so but he had continued.

"I'm afraid I'm going to screw this up," he said running his hand through her hair. "And I don't want to hurt you. Not ever. Being with you...being with you is like nothing I've ever felt before."

Hermione felt tears sting at her eyes.

Harry leaned his head back against the seat. "Someday, I'll tell this to you when I know you're listening. I just hope you'll be patient."

She swore she would be. Now that she knew... Hermione smiled to herself and snuggled closer to him.

Harry closed his eyes and before long, he too had fallen asleep.

She heard him steadily breathing and opened her eyes. Smiling, she leaned in and kissed his cheek. "I love you too, Harry."

16. Chapter 16

*** *** ***

Authors’ note: Posting this one a little early tonight because I might not be back in time to post it. So as a treat to all you guys, you’re getting the chapter a little early. It’s a little short but we had to do it this way. Hope you guys enjoy the chapter! -Amy

Later that evening after curfew, most of the students were tucked away in their beds, but Neville Longbottom was seated at one of the back tables in the Gryffindor common room trying to finish his essay for potions. He was going to ask Hermione for help, but she was more than a little preoccupied with Harry and Neville hadn't wanted to interrupt. And besides, if he finished this essay now, he'd be able to spend all of Sunday with Ginny. He still couldn't believe that she actually loved him back.

He couldn't stop daydreaming about their day in Hogsmeade together. Despite Malfoy bothering them, the day had been perfect.

He heard footsteps on the stairs and he looked up to see who could possibly be up at this hour and was surprised to see his girlfriend. He opened his mouth to say something, but the words didn't come. She was looking over her shoulder as if she was making sure no one was around.

She didn't even stop to see he was in the corner, only hurried out of the common room.

Neville decided to follow her, wondering if perhaps she was heading to the kitchens for a midnight snack. He wanted to make sure she was okay and perhaps they could share some ice cream or something.

He stayed about twenty paces behind her as she quickly headed for what looked like the Astronomy Tower.

She hadn't mentioned any Astronomy assignments that she was working on so he couldn't imagine why she was heading up there. He stood back when she reached the top of the stairs to make sure she wasn't followed.

"I was beginning to think you were going to stand me up," Malfoy said putting his arms around her.

"I told you I'd be here," Ginny nearly melted against him. She couldn't figure out why she wanted to be with him so badly.

Neville felt as if he was going to be sick as he watched Malfoy press his lips to Ginny's.

He felt even sicker as she put her arms around his neck and kissed him back- far more passionately than she'd ever kissed him.

"You belong with me," Draco said resting his forehead on hers. "You know that, right?"

Ginny didn't answer.

"Longbottom could never make you feel this way," Draco drawled. "He wouldn't know how."

"He's sweet to me," Ginny offered weakly.

"You need more than that," Draco said nuzzling her neck.

Ginny could only let out a strangled whimper.

Neville leaned against the wall, finding it hard to breathe. This couldn't be happening. She'd told him she loved him.

"You'll be mine, Red." Draco said in a commanding tone.

"Draco," Ginny protested.

"I can give you anything," he said. "And everything you could ever want."

"I just---I just----want you," Ginny finally said.

Draco crashed his lips onto hers in reply, nearly ripping at her robes.

"Ginny," Neville said angrily.

The redhead gasped and pulled away. "Neville!"

"I was worried about you," Neville said quietly. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I uh..." Ginny looked over at Draco, who wore a smirk.

"How long?" Neville asked. "How long have you been doing this behind my back?"

"Go back to bed, Longbottom," Draco said dismissively. "Red and I have better things to do."

"Fuck you, Malfoy," Neville stepped into the Tower.

Ginny moved to stand between them. "Neville, please. I can explain..."

"Explain what?" Neville shook his head. "There's nothing to explain here."

Ginny reached for him. "Neville, I never meant to hurt you."

"You have a really funny way of not wanting to hurt someone," Neville snapped, pulling away. "I hope you're happy with yourself. He'll only hurt you in the end, Ginny."

"Neville, we can get past this," Ginny sobbed.

"No," Neville shook his head disgustedly. "No we can't."

"Good night, Longbottom," Draco said waving at him. "Run along to bed like a good little boy."

"Draco shut up!" Ginny screamed at him.

"All I wanted was to be with you," Neville said to Ginny. "And now I can't even look at you."

"Neville please," Ginny pleaded.

"What?" Neville asked her. "Please what? Forgive you?"

"It's not what it looks like," Ginny said weakly.

"So, I guess I didn't see him kiss you," Neville said sarcastically. "And I didn't see you kissing him back. I didn't see his hands all...all over you. And you telling him that all you wanted was him?":

"That's what she's saying," Draco answered for her. "I win, you lose."

Ginny turned to Draco. "Leave it, Draco."

Neville shook his head. "Good riddance. Good riddance to both of you."

"Neville," Ginny cried out. "Don't go!"

Neville ignored her as he raced away, wanting to put as much distance between himself and the two up in the tower as possible.

"What have I done?" Ginny asked weakly.

"You did what was right," Draco told her.

Ginny shook her head. "I can't do this."

"Do what?" Draco asked. "After Longbottom just dumped you, you're not even sticking around?"

Ginny shook her head. "I can't do this right now, Draco. I hate what I just did to him."

"So this was all just a waste?" he demanded.

"I just need some time, Draco," Ginny said wiping at her eyes. "If you feel about me like you say you do, you'll give me that."

She had him there. "Will you ever come back?"

Ginny opened her mouth to say something when she heard a loud noise downstairs. "What was that?"

"How would I know?" Draco asked irritably.

Ginny grabbed her wand and walked out of the tower. She gasped when she saw Neville's lifeless body at the foot of the stairs. "NEVILLE!"

Even Draco was shocked. "Shite..." he said, his eyes wide.

Ginny knelt down beside Neville and placed two fingers on his neck. She was relieved when she felt a pulse. "We need to get help."

"We'll get blamed for this!" Draco exclaimed.

"That's all you care about?" Ginny asked in disbelief.

"What else do you want me to do?" Draco snapped at her.

"Stay with him until I get back," Ginny hissed. "I'm going to get help."

Draco watched as she ran off then looked at Neville Longbottom. The boy's eyes were closed, his skin already pale.

Ginny raced off toward Gryffindor's common room. She rang the bell by the fireplace that would alert Professor McGonagall of an emergency. She also ran up to the boys' dormitory and banged on the door. "RON! HARRY!"

Her brother, rubbing his eyes, was the first at the door. "What is it?" he yawned.

Ginny grabbed at his arm. "It's...its Neville. Ron---he's----he's---"

"What?" Ron wasn't making any sense. "What happened to Neville?"

Harry stood behind Ron. "What's going on?"

"Neville was attacked," Ginny sobbed. "You have to come help me!"

Ron paled. "Not Nev---"

"Please," Ginny begged. "Come now!"

Ron nodded. "Let me get my wand."

Harry had already grabbed it. "Let's go," he said tersely.

Professor McGonagall was standing in the Common Room waiting for them. Ron told her what had happened and she sighed. "You three should stay here."

Ron shook his head. "No way. He's our friend, Professor. Besides, Ginny knows where he is. She found him."

Harry didn't say anything, only followed them as they left the Common Room.

Despite his better judgment, Draco had stayed with Longbottom. He regretted his decision though the moment he saw that Ginny had returned with McGonagall and Potter and Weasley.

"You son-of-a-bitch!" Ron ran toward him. "Did you do this?"

"Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said sternly.

"Ron," Ginny held him back. "Please!"

McGonagall summoned a stretcher. "Mr. Weasley, please go alert the Headmaster. Do not stop for anything. Go right now."

"Yes, ma'am," Ron said glaring at Draco before running out.

"I'm going to stay with him," Ginny vowed reaching for Neville's hand.

"We are taking him to the hospital wing," McGonagall said crisply. "Mr. Malfoy, you may return to your dormitory. I expect an explanation on why you were up here tomorrow before breakfast."

"Fine," Draco said glaring at Ginny.

Harry watched him go silently, then looked at the redhead. "You were up here with him, weren't you?" he asked coolly.

Ginny nodded still holding onto Neville's hand. It was so cold.

"Draco," Harry clarified. "Not Neville. He came after you and found out, didn't he?"

"I didn't want him to find out like this," Ginny said softly. "I feel guilty enough as it is, Harry."

Harry only shook his head.

"Miss Weasley, you know it is against school rules to be out of your dormitory after curfew?" McGonagall admonished.

"I know," Ginny said softly.

"We'll talk about this in the morning," McGonagall said. "For now, I'm taking Longbottom to the hospital wing. You are welcome to join me."

"Thank you," Ginny stood up as Neville was lifted onto the stretcher.

Harry stayed behind looking for any clue as to who was responsible for this latest attack.

He knew he probably should have awoken Hermione, but he'd been in a rush to come up here. He sank to his knees and looked carefully over the stone floor.

He picked up something strange that was on the base of the steps. It was an earring. A radish earring.

He hadn't been around the school all that long but there was only one person who would wear something like that. "Luna," he said quietly.

Ron came running back a few moments later. "Did they take Nev?"

"Yeah," Harry stood up. "Is this Luna's?" he showed Ron the earring.

"Yeah," Ron smiled. "Wonder what it's doing here."

"What if she was here?" Harry asked.

The smile fell from Ron's face. "She's here every other day for Astronomy, Harry."

"Yeah but wouldn't someone have noticed it?" Harry asked as Ron snatched the earring from his hand.

Ron glared at him. "Harry, you know Luna. She's not capable of hurting anyone!"

"I don't know her as well as you do," Harry crossed his arms.

"Damn right you don't," Ron pocketed the earring. "She isn't capable of something like this, Harry. Malfoy was the one standing over Neville."

Harry opened his mouth to respond when Dumbledore appeared beside them.

"Were you able to find anything, Harry?" Dumbledore asked.

"I found an earring, sir." Harry replied. "Ron's got it."

"May I see it, Mr. Weasley?" Dumbledore asked.

Ron glared at Harry again and reluctantly handed it over to the headmaster.

"This looks familiar," Dumbledore commented.

"It's Luna's," Ron muttered. "I think she dropped it after class."

Dumbledore nodded. "I'm sure you're right. You can give it back to her."

"Thank you sir," Ron put it in his pocket.

"I've notified Sirius about this," Dumbledore told Harry.

"Is he coming here?" Harry asked, forgetting Ron was there.

"Sirius?" Ron asked in confusion. "Wait a minute- Sirius Black?"

"Yes, Ron," Harry said rolling his eyes. "Remember? His name was cleared ages ago."

"Oh yeah," Ron said sheepishly. "But what does he have to do with all this?"

"He's an Auror," Harry replied.

Ron sobered up again. "I can't believe they got Neville," he said quietly.

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "Perhaps you two should return to your dormitory."

"Come on mate," Harry said.

"Harry, I'd like to meet you in my office tomorrow morning," Dumbledore called out.

"Yes sir," Harry answered.

Ron was silent as he and Harry made their way back to Gryffindor Tower.

"I have to go talk to Hermione," Harry muttered when they'd gotten back into the common room.

"Luna didn't do this Harry," Ron told him. "Drop it."

"I didn't say anything about Luna!" Harry held up his hands.

"You didn't have to," Ron retorted. "I know the way your mind works."

"You drop it," Harry warned him. "You have no idea what we're dealing with here, Ron."

"Malfoy's behind this," Ron said quietly. "He's the one Dumbledore should be investigating."

"That may be," Harry answered. "We'll find out sooner or later."

"I'm going to bed," Ron said.

"See you," Harry replied absently.

He didn't want to think Luna was capable of this, but for some reason Harry didn't want to write off finding her earring as a coincidence.

He headed up the stairs, hoping Hermione wouldn't be too pissed at him waking her up. But he did need to share this with her.

Unfortunately, he knew that there was no way he could get on the girls' staircase. He didn't know how he was going to be able to get to her.

After stewing for several moments, he conjured up some pebbles and started tossing them at the door, hoping to wake at least one of the females in the room.

Lavender stuck her head out of the door a few moments later and she had some strange cream all over her face. "WHAT?" she bellowed.

"Can you get Hermione for me?" Harry asked from the bottom of the staircase.

Lavender sighed. "Fine, but you are interrupting my beauty sleep."

"So sorry," Harry rolled his eyes.

Lavender slammed the door and Harry waited for what seemed like forever. Finally, Hermione came out wrapped up in her dressing gown. Her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. "Hi," she yawned.

"Sorry to wake you," Harry said. "I've got some bad news."

"What?" Hermione asked. "I don't know I can take anymore bad news."

"Neville was attacked," Harry said as she stepped down in front of him. "Just a little while ago, by the Astronomy Tower."

Hermione's hand flew to her mouth. "Oh no..."

Harry sighed. "He found out about Ginny and Malfoy right before that, apparently."

Hermione had wanted him to find out, but not like this. "Did you survey the scene?" Hermione asked putting aside her personal feelings for a moment and trying to think like an Auror.

"I found a radish earring," Harry answered, taking her hand and leading her over to the sofa.

"Luna," Hermione whispered.

"Ron got all defensive as soon as I told him I found it," Harry said. "But I can't let go of this suspicion..."

Hermione nodded. "You remember me telling you about that interesting necklace she had on?"

"That pendant?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "I still haven't found anything on it. But I keep thinking it means something."

"I guess, keep checking it out," Harry said. "I have to meet with Dumbledore in the morning."

"I feel so bad about Neville," Hermione said softly.

"Me too," Harry nodded. "We'll get him back though. We'll get all of them back."

"We will," Hermione vowed.

Harry put an arm around her.

Hermione relaxed against him.

"It's going to be okay." he said.

"Did you recognise that man with Viktor today?" Hermione asked.

"I couldn't see him," Harry admitted. "His cloak was pulled too far over his face."

"And what does Bellatrix Lestrange have to do with this?" Hermione asked. "I thought she was still in Azkaban?"

Harry snorted and shook his head. "Out on good behaviour... my arse."

"You're kidding!" Hermione exclaimed in outrage. "She was instrumental in Voldemort returning to his full strength...how could they let her out?"

"Fudge was an idiot," Harry answered. "And Scrimgeour is just as bad."

"Tell me about it," Hermione said looking up at him. "She...she did some horrible things to Muggleborn."

"If Sirius and I have anything to say about it, we'll find a way to put her back in there," Harry's voice was tight with anger.

"I want to help," Hermione said.

He nodded. "If you put your mind to it, I bet you could do it one handed."

Hermione smiled at him. "You know...it means a lot to me that you have faith in me as an Auror."

"You're going to do great," he reassured her, happy they were back together.

"Are you looking forward to your assignment?" Hermione asked him. Now that she knew how he felt about her, she didn't feel quite so bad about him leaving.

"Yeah," Harry said, not wanting to admit that he wasn't looking forward to it as much now that he'd met her.

"I'm going to have to get myself an owl," Hermione said smiling at him. "So I can send you letters."

Harry nodded. "I'd write back."

"And we'll have holidays," Hermione said hopefully.

Harry smiled back at her. "And when you finish school..."

"What?" Hermione asked her heart full just listening to him talk about their future together.

"Maybe we can partner up again," Harry was getting ahead of himself but couldn't help it.

"What about Sirius?" Hermione asked leaning against him, her head resting on his chest.

"He's talked about taking on fewer assignments," Harry answered. "Doing more research like Lupin does..."

Hermione smiled. "I like being your partner."

"Same here," Harry pulled her a bit closer.

"Is it wrong to feel some happiness when all this is going on?" Hermione asked thoughtfully.

"I don't think so," Harry answered. "I mean, I really didn't have the chance yet to get to know Neville, but he always seemed happy for us."

"He did," Hermione said. "I can't believe he was attacked, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "You'll probably have to come with me to see Dumbledore in the morning."

"Should we tell him about the pendant?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "If you think it warrants a mention."

"I don't want to implicate Luna," Hermione said quietly.

"I don't either," Harry answered. "I think we need to tell him what we overheard in Hogsmeade as well- with Krum."

"Krum," Hermione said with a sigh.

"If I ever see him again," Harry began.

"You will," Hermione interjected. "And we'll throw him in Azkaban."

"That's the spirit," Harry couldn't help but grin at her.

"Do you mind if we stay here for awhile?" Hermione asked, closing her eyes.

"Fine with me," Harry gazed down at her.

He didn't know why she'd suddenly stopped wanting him to declare his feelings for her and he wasn't about to ask why she'd had a change of heart. He hated fighting with her.

"We might fall asleep down here," he said, feeling drowsy as well.

"Doesn't matter," Hermione whispered.

Harry tightened his hold around her and leaned back against the arm of the sofa.

It wasn't long before they were both fast asleep.

***

Harry awoke awhile later and reached for his girlfriend but she wasn't there. "Hermione?"

He rubbed his eyes before reaching for his glasses. "Hermione?" he called again.

Her robe was on the floor and to Harry's horror; there was blood on the collar.

He grabbed it to examine it closer and without even thinking, ran up the stairs to the girls’ dormitory.

He was able to get up the stairs without incident and he could hear Hermione's screams coming from the closed door. He tried the door and it was locked.

"Come now, Harry," Voldemort's voice called out behind him. "You didn't really think you'd be able to keep her safe, did you?"

Harry turned to face the creature he thought he'd killed several years ago.

But, there was no one behind him. Voldemort's cold laugh echoed in his ears.

"She's quite pretty for a Mudblood," Voldemort's voice taunted him.

"Where the hell are you?" Harry shouted, shoving his entire weight against the door.

"In your mind," Voldemort cackled. "She's going to be my next victim."

"No way," Harry swore.

"How about you say goodbye first?" Voldemort asked. "Open the door...."

Harry finally pushed the heavy door open and saw Hermione in the middle of the room.

Hermione's face was bruised and scratched and she was tied to the bed. She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "How could you do this?"

"I didn't--" Harry began. "I didn't do this..."

Hermione shook her head. "You let him get me. You gave me to him!"

"I would never do that!" Harry approached and tried to untie her.

"You don't love me," Hermione said angrily. "You used me!"

"That's not true!" He protested.

"He's not going to let me go!" Hermione cried out.

"I'll get you out of here," Harry pulled at the knots around her wrists.

Voldemort appeared out of the darkness. "I can't let you do that, Potter. She's mine now."

"She is not," Harry desperately worked harder at the knots.

"What made you think she'd be different?" Voldemort taunted. "Everyone who loves you pays the price, don't they. Your poor parents...."

"You leave my parents out of this," Harry said through clenched teeth. "And you let Hermione go!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that," Voldemort said waving his hand and causing Harry to fall off the bed. Voldemort touched Hermione's cheek with his bony hand. "So soft..."

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Harry tried to get up.

Voldemort grinned at Hermione. "A kiss before dying..."

Hermione sobbed as Voldemort drew closer. "How could you let him do this to me Harry?"

Harry struggled to get to his feet. "LEAVE HER ALONE!"

"Harry!" Hermione shook him. "Harry, wake up..."

"No!" Harry shook his head. "Leave her alone!"

Hermione shook him again. He'd been thrashing about in his sleep and he kept calling out that phrase. "Harry...."

His eyes snapped open and he sat up, his chest heaving.

Hermione reached for his hand. "Bad dream?"

"You're okay," Harry stared at her, his eyes focusing.

She nodded. "I'm fine. Harry---"

He pulled her close. "Harry---you're scaring me..."

He hugged her and was relieved when she put her arms around him.

"Want to talk about it?" Hermione asked softly, rubbing his back soothingly.

"It's just... he had you," Harry said. "Voldemort had you and you thought I let him do it."

Hermione pulled away and looked at him. "Harry---"

Harry shook his head. "I can't let anything like that happen."

"He's gone, Harry," Hermione said softly. "He can't hurt you or me or anyone else anymore."

"But other people can," Harry said. "Krum can hurt you- he wants to hurt you."

Hermione rested her forehead on his. "We won't let him. I know I'm safe with you, Harry."

"I can't always keep you safe," he said.

"I'm not helpless," Hermione reminded him. "I can hold my own, Harry."

"I know," he argued. "But--"

Hermione kissed him. "We'll protect each other."

Harry nodded. "Okay..."

"And I'd never blame you," Hermione added. "Never."

"It was really hard," Harry said. "Aside from Sirius, I had no one else during that time."

"You had the weight of the world on your shoulders," Hermione said softly.

"I couldn't go through that again," Harry said.

Hermione hugged him tightly, wishing she could take away his pain.

Harry didn't know what to do, if he should walk away now or stay.

As if she could read his mind, she whispered in his ear, "Don't you push me away because of a bad dream, Harry."

Harry turned to look at her. "Hermione--"

"You deserve to be happy," Hermione said, tears shining in her eyes. "You deserve so much more than you think."

"I do?" he asked, feeling very much like a young boy in that moment.

Hermione nodded. "Don't let fear take that away from you."

He held her close. "I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to apologise," Hermione whispered.

Harry only nodded. "We should get to bed."

"It's late," Hermione agreed.

"Come up with me?" he asked.

Hermione smiled. "Okay."

It wasn't until they had slid into his bed that she realised how tightly he was still holding onto her.

"Hermione?" he whispered in the darkness.

"Hmm?" she asked.

Harry was silent for a few moments. "I-I love you," he finally said softly.

Hermione blinked back a few sudden tears that sprang to her eyes. "I love you too," she said softly.

"I wanted to say it before," he told her. "I just didn't know how."

"You did it perfectly," Hermione kissed him and decided not to mention she'd heard him in the carriage earlier.

"First time," Harry admitted.

"Me too," she answered.

Harry kissed her again. "I'm sorry it took me so long to come round."

"It's like my dad says," Hermione pushed his hair out of his eyes. "Better late than never. Besides," she added, her smile widening a bit. "I could always kick your arse if you didn't say it back soon."

Harry chuckled and tickled her side. "Is it good to be afraid of your girlfriend?"

"I'm okay with it," she was happy she'd gotten him to smile.

"Hermione Jane," Harry said softly.

"Yes, Harry James?" Hermione asked impishly.

"I love you," he said again.

She grinned. "It gets easier to say, doesn't it?" she teased.

He gave her a kiss. "Yes, it does."

Hermione closed her eyes again and rested her head on his shoulder. "I love you too Harry..."

Harry held her close and closed his eyes. He wanted to believe Hermione, but he couldn't shake the feeling that there would come a day when he wouldn't be able to protect her and that she would blame him.

17. Chapter 17

*** *** ***

Authors’ note: This one is kind of short, but we hope you like it just the same. Warning---you might not like the chapter ending! You have been warned…

Ron, for once in his life, awoke early on in the day and headed for the Ravenclaw part of the castle. Aside from wanting to give Luna her earring, he wanted to tell her about Neville and about what Harry was going to tell Dumbledore.

He found her sitting just outside of Ravenclaw tower on the steps. She looked lost in her thoughts and Ron was struck yet again by how tired she looked.

"Hey," he said quietly, not wanting to startle her.

"Ronald," Luna said looking at him. "What are you doing here?"

Ron held out her earring wordlessly.

Luna silently took it from him.

"Neville Longbottom was attacked last night," Ron sat down next to her. "And um... Harry... he found that on the floor there. I told him you lost it while you were up there for classes..."

"Neville," Luna said softly. "He's my friend."

"Mine too," Ron said quietly.

Luna rested her head on his shoulder. "So many people..."

"I told Harry you had nothing to do with what was going on," Ron took her hand in his. "I reminded him about how you were attacked too..."

"I love you so much," Luna whispered. "I don't deserve you."

"Why do you say that?" Ron asked, looking over at her.

"I don't know," Luna replied. "I don't know anything anymore."

"Luna," Ron slid his arm around her. "I know you have nothing to do with any of this."

"I would never hurt Neville, or Ernie, or Padma...they were my friends," Luna said firmly.

Ron nodded. "Someone like you could never do anything like this. Malfoy, on the other hand..."

"You think he did?" Luna asked.

"Seems to be right up his alley," Ron replied.

"Something else happen?" Luna asked.

Ron made a disgusted noise. "Apparently my sister's been seeing Malfoy and Neville found out."

Luna didn't look too surprised at this news, given that scene from a few days ago when she'd called Malfoy on his crush.

"I mean, what the hell was she thinking?" Ron asked furiously.

"Maybe she has real feelings for him," Luna said thoughtfully.

"Yeah, well I doubt Malfoy has any real feelings for her, or for anything," Ron said bitterly. "Except for all that hate.

"Poor Neville," Luna commented.

Ron stopped his tirade on Malfoy. "Yeah..." he said glumly.

"Would you like to go down to breakfast?" Luna asked.

"Sure," Ron said, helping her up.

They were silent as they made their way down to the Great Hall.

"Things will probably be tense," Ron said. "I'm willing to bet people are going to start pulling their kids out of school soon."

"Just like they did during my first year," Luna said sadly. "With the Chamber of Secrets."

They were almost to the Great Hall when Ron started noticing how strange other students were being. Instead of saying hello or even just nodding their way, most people hurried past as fast as they could without looking up.

"How about you sit with me at the Gryffindor table?" Ron asked.

"I'd love to," Luna said gratefully. "Thank you Ronald."

"No problem," Ron said leading the way. He found an empty space beside the Creevey brothers, who practically tripped over themselves to move away.

"Hey," Ron frowned at them. "What's going on?"

"N-nothing," Colin stammered.

Ron glared at them suspiciously.

"Just ignore them," Luna said placing a couple of pieces of toast on his plate.

"They don't normally have much to say anyhow," Ron gave them one last look before turning away.

"Do you want black currant or marmalade for your toast?" Luna asked.

"Marmalade," Ron answered. "You don't have to do that for me--"

"I want to," Luna said smiling at him for the first time that morning. "I like doing things for you."

"Thanks," Ron leaned in and gave her a kiss.

Luna started to act more like herself and Ron ignored the looks and whispering around them.

Harry and Hermione headed into the Great Hall, just out of their meeting with Dumbledore. They'd found out that Viktor Krum had been spotted on the grounds near Hagrid's hut, but they'd been unable to find out his purpose.

"Let's go and sit with Ron and Luna," Hermione said.

"Sure," Harry said, squeezing her hand.

Hermione smiled at him. Last night, they hadn't done anything other than sleep, but she'd felt so close to him.

"Morning," Harry greeted his friends as they sat down.

Luna smiled warmly at them. "Morning, Harry. Hermione. Ronald said you found my earring. Thank you."

Harry nodded. "He said you dropped it during class."

"I'm sure I did," Luna said.

Hermione noticed that the blonde wasn't wearing the pendant today. Instead she was wearing her cork necklace.

"I'm sure Ron told you about Neville," Harry said quietly.

Luna nodded. "He did. I was really sorry to hear about that."

"I really hope they find an antidote soon," Hermione also said in a soft tone.

"I'm surprised you're not working on that," Ron said to Hermione. "Seems like that'd be right up your alley."

"I've been trying to figure something out," Hermione stirred her porridge around.

"How you can sneak into our bedroom without getting caught?" Ron asked dryly.

"What?" Hermione was startled.

"The other night, I saw your bra and knickers on the floor beside Harry's bed," Ron said helping himself to another piece of toast. "Unless he's taken to cross dressing, I figured they were yours."

"I um..." Hermione looked at Harry.

"Maybe they were yours," Harry countered to Ron. "You are a right slob."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Sorry, no can do. Don't wear the things."

Luna giggled. "Ron wears boxers."

"You blokes are the only ones who have restrictions anyway," Hermione informed him. "Girls can go wherever we want."

"Well, I never would have figured you to be one to bend the rules so blatantly," Ron said.

"You aren't going to tell everyone are you?" Hermione asked.

Ron grinned. "That all depends..."

"Ron," Harry cut in. "Come on mate..."

Ron shook his head. "No, I think I could use this to my advantage. You remember all those lectures she used to give us about following those precious rules of hers..."

Hermione levelled a glare at him.

"I'll keep my mouth shut," Ron said. "If you do my Charms essay..."

"I am not doing your homework," Hermione snapped. "Why are you so bloody infuriating?"

"Because I can be," Ron said before shoving an entire piece of toast in his mouth.

"Ron won't say a word," Harry glared at him.

"Of course he won't," Luna said reaching for Ron's hand.

"But--" Ron began.

"Apologise," Luna whispered.

"Sorry," Ron muttered.

Luna gave him a kiss. "Good boy."

Hermione relaxed. "Thank you," she said coolly.

"I wasn't going to tell anyone," Ron muttered.

"Good, because she's not going to stop coming in there," Harry said.

"I think Luna should be able to sneak in too," Ron said. "It's not fair."

"We'll just have to find other places," Luna said winking at him.

"Actually..." Hermione bit her bottom lip pensively.

Ron rolled his yes. "Yes Miss Holier-Than-Thou?"

"There is a spell that could get her into our dormitory. I came across it last year. But if you're going to be an arse, I don't know why I should tell you." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I'd rather be an arse than a raging---" Ron started to retort.

"What is it, Hermione?" Luna asked eagerly.

Hermione wrote something down on a piece of parchment and gave it to the blonde. "I'm doing it for you, Luna. Not for you Ron- although it wouldn't kill you to be nice once in awhile when someone's doing you a favour."

"It wouldn't kill you to stop being such a nag," Ron said under his breath.

"Ronald," Luna looked at him. "She just helped us out."

"You could say thank you," Harry prodded.

"Thank you," Ron said grudgingly.

"You're welcome," Hermione said.

"We have to get to class," Harry said.

"I'm going to walk Luna to hers," Ron said. "I'll catch up with you in Charms."

Luna smiled at them before hurrying off to join Ron.

"She didn't seem any worse for the wear," Hermione commented.

Harry shook her head. "No she doesn't. Guess he was right about her dropping the earring during class."

"She wasn't wearing that pendant today," Hermione said. "I still think that has something to do with it."

"Do with what?" Harry asked. "What pendant?"

Hermione reached into her bag for the sketch she'd done of the necklace. She handed it to Harry. "She was wearing that when we found her in the corridor. I'd never seen her wearing it before and something about it struck me as odd."

"I'll send the sketch to Lupin," Harry folded it up.

"I should have mentioned it earlier," Hermione said as they made their way out of the Great Hall. "We were kind of at each other's throats at the time though."

"It's all right," Harry replied.

Hermione smiled slightly at him. "I like it better when we're not fighting."

"Me too," Harry squeezed her hand.

"No more bad dreams last night then?" Hermione asked.

"No," Harry answered. "Thanks in large part, to you."

"I didn't really do anything," Hermione said modestly.

"You were there," Harry wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"I'll always be here," Hermione told him. "If you want."

"I do want," Harry kissed her temple.

Hermione felt so happy just then, she resisted the urge to skip to her next class. Things were going great with them and if they could just find out who was behind these attacks and find a way to cure the others, things would be even better.

"Let's stop by the owlery," Harry said. "I want to send this drawing to Lupin as soon as possible. I also want to tell him and Sirius about Krum being on the grounds last night."

"We'd better hurry," Hermione said looking at her watch. "We haven't much time."

"Right," Harry took her hand as they rushed up the stairs. "You write, I'll get Hedwig."

Hermione hastily pulled out a piece of parchment and scribbled a quick note to Lupin and told him their latest findings. She hoped he would be able to find some way to help them.

Upstairs in the hospital wing, Ginny stretched her arms. She hadn't left Neville's side since she'd found him. Madam Pomfrey wasn't happy about it and kept insisting that it made no difference, but Ginny couldn't leave him.

"Miss Weasley," the nurse said sternly. "I cannot allow you to miss classes by staying up here."

"I'll get my assignments from Natalie," Ginny argued. "Please."

The nurse stood firm. "You need a good breakfast and you need to resume your daily schedule."

Ginny nodded in defeat. She leaned over and placed a kiss on Neville's cold cheek. "I'll be back. I promise. And I'll read you something."

Madam Pomfrey actually stood by the door to make sure she left before closing it firmly behind her.

"Old bat," Ginny muttered before heading downstairs.

"About time you got out of there," Draco said coming up behind her.

"Go away," Ginny said walking faster to get away from him.

"Hey," Draco grabbed her arm. "You know I didn't do this."

"I know," Ginny said trying to squirm out of his grasp. "You were with me. And if I hadn't been with you, Neville would be fine right now!"

"You were with me because you wanted to be," Draco pointed out. "It's not your fault Longbottom chose to stalk you."

"He wasn't stalking me," Ginny retorted. "He was worried about me and he followed me."

"And nothing happened to you," Draco said. "I wouldn't have let anyone hurt you."

"I know," Ginny said. "But right now, I don't care about myself, Draco. I want Neville to get better."

"He'll be fine," Draco told her.

"You don't know that," Ginny said looking away from him.

"Why do you keep pushing me away?" Draco asked. "You obviously want to be with me."

"Look," Ginny began. "I have feelings for you. That's not a secret, but I care about Neville too. And until he's better, I can't make any decisions. I can't believe you expect me and you to just carry on as if nothing has happened."

Draco stared at her, his disappointment obvious.

"Can you wait?" Ginny asked him.

"You want me to wait for you?" he asked.

"If you care about me, you will," Ginny said softly.

"Okay," he said finally.

Ginny hugged him tightly. "Thank you."

He allowed himself to bury his nose in her hair. "I'm better for you than Longbottom."

Ginny wasn't so sure about that, but she didn't say anything. She cared about Neville, too. And she had to find some way to make this up to him.

*** *** ***

It was one of the coldest nights of the year and Hermione shivered as she walked alongside Harry just outside the castle. There had been another report of Krum being spotted on the grounds. So in addition to their nightly rounds, they'd decided to take two or three passes around the castle.

"Nights like this make you wish the bloody school was in Hawaii," Harry muttered.

"Tell me about it," Hermione agreed, snuggling against him.

"I say when we get finished, we go the kitchens for hot chocolate," Harry suggested.

"I'm with you," Hermione said.

Harry pulled her closer. "I was just having a vision of you and me working on some case....on a beach...you in this killer bikini...."

Hermione blushed. "I never wear bikinis."

"You should," Harry said grinning at her. "A nice red one..."

"Honestly," Hermione blushed even harder under his stare. "I don't like them. A simpler suit is nicer."

"Not even for me?" Harry asked with a pout that would have made Lavender Brown proud.

The way he was looking at her made her feel like a stammering idiot. "I... I don't know..." she said. "Maybe..."

"Sometime during your training breaks, we'll go on holiday somewhere warm," Harry promised.

"Just us?" Hermione asked.

Harry grinned. "Well, unless you wanted Ron to come with..."

She made a face. "No, thank you."

"So you and me then," Harry said with a grin.

The thought of them sharing a hotel room on some warm tropical island thrilled her. "I already can't wait."

Harry impulsively kissed her. "Warm already..."

"And getting warmer," Hermione closed her eyes and pressed her lips to his.

They were both breathless when they pulled apart a few minutes later. "Let's finish this up and get back inside..."

"And back to the common room," Hermione said suggestively.

"I'll take the greenhouses," Harry offered, thinking that if they split up, they'd finish the job quicker. And besides, Hermione would be within shouting distance if anything happened.

"I'll go down by Hagrid's hut," Hermione nodded. "And we'll meet around the other side?"

Harry kissed her. "Okay. You call out if you see anything."

"I will," Hermione promised.

In the shadows, Bellatrix Lestrange watched the mousy brunette go toward Hagrid's hut. She couldn't believe how easy they were playing into her hands. Now, if Viktor Krum would do his part, everything would be perfect.

Silently, she slid over behind the disgusting shack and waited for the right moment.

The wind howled causing Hermione to shiver. She gripped her wand tightly, unable to shake this feeling that someone was watching her.

Harry was just rounding the third greenhouse when a figure stepped into the pale moonlight. His first thought was that Hermione had decided to meet up with him there, but his jaw tightened when he saw who it really was.

"Hello," Viktor said coldly. "Vot are you doing here?"

"I go to school here," Harry reached for his wand. "You don't."

"You aren't who you say you are," Viktor said. "Hermy-own-ninny told me."

"Hermione doesn't tell you anything," Harry said in a controlled voice. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Viktor glared at him. "Hermy-own-ninny is quite the woman. I have enjoyed our time together very much."

"As have I," Harry replied. "She's not with you, Krum. She's with me."

"I taught her what she knows," Viktor said triumphantly. "So you can thank me for that."

Harry sneered at him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Distracting you," Viktor said training his wand on Harry.

"Pardon?" Harry asked.

"You heard," Viktor said. "Bella has the big plan for Hermy-own-ninny."

Harry’s eyes widened as he charged towards Krum.

Viktor laughed. "You can't touch me, Potter."

"I could kill you if I wanted," Harry snarled. "But I don't have time for you right now."

Viktor pointed his wand at Harry. "Incarceratus!" Ropes shot out of his wand and coiled around Harry, binding his arms and legs.

"You bastard!" Harry struggled.

Viktor put a finger to his lips. "You can hear her scream if you're silent..."

As Hermione rounded the side of the hut, Bellatrix stepped out of the shadows. "Hello little girl," she purred.

Hermione's eyes grew large as she saw the infamous Death Eater. "HARRY!"

"He cannot help you now," Bellatrix smiled wickedly.

Hermione pointed her wand at her. "What have you done to Harry?"

"I haven't done anything, my dear," Bellatrix drew closer.

Hermione summoned her courage. "Stay away from me."

Bellatrix chuckled. "I don't need to get near you to do what I have to do."

Hermione pointed her wand directly at Bellatrix. "Expel---"

Bellatrix waved her hand and Hermione's wand was yanked away. "You have so much to learn, little girl."

Hermione struck a fighting stance. If she couldn't beat this horrible woman by magic, she'd try something that had never let her down before.

Bellatrix laughed. "What is this?" she pointed her own wand at Hermione. "Crucio!"

Hermione froze as every inch of her body seemed to be in almost unbearable pain.

Bellatrix laughed. "Your boyfriend once tried that on me, you know. But, he didn't realise that for the good, old Cruciatus to work you have to really want to inflict pain. He was young then, so perhaps he wasn't quite ready. I imagine that when I'm through with you...he might feel that way toward me, but by then...it'll be too late."

Hermione screamed as the pain grew twice as bad. "HARRY!"

18. Chapter 18

Authors’ note: Sorry for the late update and for the cliffie last chapter! We hope you enjoy the latest one and to those of you who celebrate it, Happy Easter!

Harry struggled to break free from his bindings. He heard Hermione's screams and he swore that if he ever got his hands on Krum or Lestrange he'd make them pay.

Krum laughed. "Not so tough, eh Potter?"

"A real man wouldn't do something like this," Harry taunted. "You should fight me fair, Krum."

Krum smiled calmly as Hermione screamed louder. "Listen to that," he said as if they were hearing a symphony being played.

"You remind me so much of those Longbottoms," Bellatrix said gleefully as she watched Hermione suffering.

"Please," Hermione said, tears streaming down her face.

"Please," Bellatrix mimicked.

"Harry," Hermione pleaded. "Please!"

Harry watched as Krum looked over his shoulder, concern etched across his face.

"If you care about Hermione, how can you let her do that to her?" Harry asked him.

"This is not about me," Krum said, albeit uncertainly.

Harry managed to wiggle around enough to grip his wand.

"Viktor!" Bellatrix called out. "Why don't you bring our friend around so he can see his love suffer? I would hate for him to miss it..."

Krum used his wand to levitate Harry wordlessly.

"You don't have to do this, Krum," Harry called out. "Why do you have to follow her orders?"

The concern had left Krum's face and he smirked at Harry. "You don't get to ask questions, Potter."

"Hurry, Viktor!" Bellatrix called out. "She's crying and begging for mercy!"

Harry gripped his wand tighter and tried to block out the sounds of Hermione's screams. He had to wait for just the right moment.

Hermione fell to the ground, the pain unbearable. She just wanted it to stop.

Harry waited until Krum levitated him over to where Bellatrix could see him tied up.

"Very good, Viktor." she said approvingly. "Our Master will be proud."

"When will you let her go, Bella?" Viktor asked. The sight of Hermione in pain was almost too much for him to bear.

"When the time is right," Bellatrix said in an icy tone.

Hermione looked pleadingly up at Viktor. "M-make her...m-make her s-stop..."

Once Krum was distracted, Harry freed himself with his wand. He fired a stunning spell at Bellatrix while kicking Krum in the stomach at the same time.

Bellatrix stumbled back and glared at Viktor. "You imbecile! STOP HIM!"

Remembering a move Hermione had used during their little fight, he jammed the heel of his hand into Krum's nose, and knocked him back, rendering him unconscious. He then pointed his wand at Bellatrix. "Take it off her."

"Never," Bellatrix said defiantly.

"Take it off her," Harry pointed his wand directly between her eyes. "Last time I couldn't do it but--"

Bellatrix waved her hand in Hermione's direction and muttered the counter curse. Hermione collapsed into the grass, as the pain ebbed away.

"Signal for help," Harry told Hermione, "Send up sparks. Dumbledore will come."

Hermione nodded and reached for her wand.

"Hermy-own-ninny..." Krum said weakly from the ground. "Didn't mean to--"

Hermione was still a little hazy from the spell, but that didn't stop her from kicking him hard in the stomach. "You son-of-a-bitch!"

Harry would have laughed if he hadn't been holding his wand steadily at Bellatrix. "We really need Dumbledore, Hermione."

Hermione pointed her wand at the sky and sparks shot out of the tip.

"You think Dumbledore will be able to do anything to me?" Bellatrix asked. "Think again, boy. If you and Black couldn't touch me--"

"I've grown up quite a bit since you last saw me," Harry interjected. "I know quite a few more tricks."

Bellatrix smirked at him. "So do I, little boy. So do I..." she pulled her hand out of her pocket and threw some powder in Harry's face.

The powder permeated the air and created a thick fog.

"HARRY!" Hermione called out.

Harry reached blindly for her. "I've got you," he said, hugging her to him.

"What about Viktor and Lestrange?" Hermione asked.

Harry coughed as he pulled Hermione away from the fog. "They're gone. That powder is her infamous getaway."

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

"Don't worry about me," Harry said. "Hermione, I'm so sorry she put you under that curse."

"It wasn't your fault," Hermione said reaching for him. "I should have expected it from her, but I wasn't prepared."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Come on, when Dumbledore gets here I'm taking you to the hospital wing."

Hermione opened her mouth to protest, but knew he was right. She had to get checked out.

He could still hear her screams echoing in his head. "I wanted to kill the both of them," he said quietly.

"Me too," Hermione said.

Dumbledore arrived at that moment. "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger..."

"Sir!" Hermione exclaimed. "Bellatrix Lestrange and Viktor Krum were here!"

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "And they escaped?"

"Yes sir," Harry said dejectedly. "She used her fog."

"Are you too okay?" Dumbledore asked.

"She used the Cruciatus Curse on Hermione," Harry said. "For about five minutes."

"I-I'm okay thanks to Harry," Hermione said quietly.

"You should have Madam Pomfrey check you over," Dumbledore said. "I'm very sorry, Miss Granger."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said offering him a weak smile. "Harry---"

"I'll take you up there," Harry moved to her side.

"I'll inform Sirius of what happened here tonight," Dumbledore told them.

Harry and Hermione were silent as they made their way to the hospital wing.

"I am so, so sorry," Harry apologised again. "Bellatrix is ruthless. She's tried to kill Sirius and can't succeed--"

Hermione cut him off. "It wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was," Harry shook his head.

"Harry---"

"Come on," he said. "Can you make it up the stairs?"

"Yeah," Hermione said. "My um...side still hurts a bit..."

"I'll carry you up," Harry effortlessly picked her up in his arms.

Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

Harry nodded. "I wouldn't leave you."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I love you."

Harry gave her a slight smile. "I love you too."

Madam Pomfrey didn't look too happy to have her sleep interrupted and she huffed and muttered something unintelligible as she examined Hermione.

"Sneaking onto Hogwarts grounds," she muttered. "Those Unforgivable Curses--"

"She's okay, isn't she?" Harry interjected. "No permanent damages?"

"No," Madam Pomfrey said shortly. "She'll be fine, but you young people need to be more careful!"

"I don't have to stay here tonight then?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"I'd like it if you did, but I wouldn't force you to," Madam Pomfrey replied. "My wing is crowded enough as it is." she rummaged in a cupboard. "If you start to feel sore, take this potion."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you, Madam Pomfrey."

"Come on," Harry replied. "Let's head back to the dormitory."

Hermione nodded and leaned on him.

Harry's chest felt heavy as he helped her back to the tower. He knew what he had to do, but he really didn't want to do it. He decided to approach this tomorrow instead of making her feel worse the rest of that night.

"You're so quiet," Hermione commented.

"I just..." Harry shook his head. "Bellatrix could have killed you."

"She didn't," Hermione said softly. She cupped his face in her hands. "Don't blame yourself."

"It's because of me," Harry replied. "Just... let's get back."

Hermione looked into his eyes. "I love you."

Harry felt himself soften. "I know... I love you too."

Hermione squeezed his hand. "So...this holiday you want to take...where do you think we should go?"

Harry wished he could take those words back now. "I... I don't know... it may be awhile before we can go."

"Probably, but it would still be nice to plan," Hermione said. "I've always wanted to go on a cruise."

He nodded and spoke the password as they reached the common room.

Hermione had hoped to get his mind off of what had just happened, but he didn't seem to be taking the bait. "What about you? Is there any where you've always wanted to go?"

"Not really," Harry summoned some blankets and pillows with a wave of his hand. "It's probably a good idea to have you stay down here tonight."

"You'll stay too, right?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I'll stay."

Hermione sat down on the sofa and took off her shoes.

Harry also removed his trainers and sat down next to her. "Do you hurt anywhere?"

"I'm a little sore," Hermione admitted. She smiled slyly at him. "You could kiss me and make it better."

He wanted to- he wanted to quite badly. "You should probably get some rest."

"Don't push me away," Hermione said quietly.

"I already told you I'd stay," Harry said.

Hermione could see what he was doing, but she couldn't understand why.

"We should just go to sleep," Harry looked over at her. "That curse takes a lot out of you."

"Okay," Hermione said scooting over so he could lie down first.

He decided them sleeping next to each other couldn't hurt. He sent her a slight smile.

Hermione cuddled up next to him and she felt better when he put his arm around her. "I love you," Hermione said softly,

Harry pressed his lips to her forehead. "I love you too," he said quietly.

Hermione closed her eyes. "Have you ever been to Jamaica?"

"No," Harry answered.

"Me either," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I have been to the French Riviera with my parents a couple of times."

"It's nice there," he dodged her question.

"I imagine it would be quite different going there with someone that you love," Hermione said cuddling closer. "But I think we should go somewhere that neither of us have ever been."

He wished she would stop bringing it up now. Harry wasn't sure about anything as far as their future was concerned anymore.

Hermione fell asleep thinking of the two of them on some beach happy and carefree.

Harry on the other hand, stayed awake much longer thinking about how he was going to get through the next day... much less what he would do after that without her.

He could still remember the words his trainers had hit on over and over again the past couple of years. An Auror was best off living a life of solitude and not getting too close to anyone. And any one who became too close to him, had a big target on their backs. Tonight was proof positive of that.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I am so sorry about this Hermione. I love you but I can't let anything happen to you."

He didn't sleep very well the entire night. He kept hearing her screams in his head. He kept seeing Bellatrix torturing her and he kept imagining every worst possible scenario.

She woke up a few times during the night, once when he was also awake but she didn't let him know it.

She knew he felt guilty and she wished there was someway she could make him see that he wasn't at fault for Bellatrix and Krum's actions tonight. She wasn't going to let him push her away when they had just found their way together.

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione awoke to the sounds of whispers. She blushed when she saw a group of first years standing around and looking at her with wide eyes. To make matters worse, she was alone with no sign of Harry. Wordlessly, she stood up and grabbed her trainers and headed upstairs for her dorm room.

She was still a bit sore from what had happened but a hot shower helped quite a bit. She dried her hair with her wand and got dressed quickly, hoping to catch Harry before they went to breakfast.

"Everything okay, Hermione?" Lavender asked.

Hermione jumped at the sound of her friend's voice. "Fine..." she answered with a weak smile.

"You don't look fine," Lavender commented. "And you didn't sleep in your bed last night. I thought you and Harry had kissed and made up."

"We did," Hermione didn't want Lavender to know exactly what had happened.

"Well, if you need to talk about it, let me know," Lavender offered.

Hermione smiled at her. "Thanks Lavender. I appreciate that."

The two girls headed out of their bedroom and downstairs. There was still no sign of Harry and Hermione would have thought after last night, he would have let her know where he was going. But, she told herself not to overreact. She'd told him she wouldn't let him push her away.

With a deep sigh, Hermione headed down to the Great Hall with Lavender, hoping to find him there.

There was still no sign of him though and she didn't see him in their first class either. She was starting to get worried.

In desperation, she decided before her second class, she'd go up to see Dumbledore. To her immense relief, Harry was there in the office.

Harry avoided looking at her when she came into the room. He was talking to Sirius and didn't even acknowledge her presence. Lupin was the only one to speak to her. "Hermione, we heard about what happened. I'm glad that you're both okay."

"Thank you," Hermione nodded. "Um... I didn't know we were all having a meeting..."

"In light of what happened, we thought it would be best if you continued on in class as usual," Harry said, still not looking at her.

"What?" Hermione looked at him quizzically. "Harry--"

"Why don't you take Lupin down to the greenhouses?" Harry cut her off. "Show him what happened and where...I still have some things to talk about with Sirius."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and opened her mouth to argue but Lupin took her arm. "I would greatly appreciate it if you could show me," he said.

"Yes, sir," Hermione relented. She led the way out of the office.

Harry watched them go and closed his eyes. This was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. "So, what I was---"

Sirius held up his hand. "Hang on. You said she didn't want to meet with us today, Harry. And then she shows up and acts surprised that we were meeting at all. Care to explain?"

"Not really," Harry replied sullenly.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Sirius asked, undeterred.

"I'm not going to let her get hurt again," Harry said. "Damn it Sirius, Bellatrix is almost as bad as Voldemort! She'll go after anyone I care about! Or you for that matter!"

"I can take care of myself and I'm pretty sure that Miss Granger can do the same," Sirius said calmly.

"Yeah well she's not going to get hurt on account of me again," Harry said.

"What happened last night wasn't your fault, Harry," Sirius told him.

"Yes it was," Harry answered. "If I wasn't involved with Hermione, Bellatrix would never have targeted her."

"You're pushing her away then?" Sirius asked.

"I'm protecting her," Harry corrected.

"I'm not going to tell you what to do," Sirius said. "If you think this is for the best..."

"It's my only option," Harry interrupted him.

"You need to work together on this case though," Sirius reminded him. "We're so close to breaking it. Don't let your personal life get in the way of this, Harry."

"I won't!" Harry snapped irritably. "We're partners, nothing more."

Sirius nodded. "Well, let's get back to work, then. Bellatrix and Viktor Krum. They must be behind these attacks, but they haven't been able to enter the castle. Which means, there has to be someone working on the inside for them."

"Right," Harry said. "Did you guys find anything out on that amulet?"

"What about the name of that guy we sent you before?"

"I recognised the design on that amulet," Sirius told him. "It belonged to one of my ancestors."

"Your ancestors?" Harry asked.

Sirius pointed to a portrait on Dumbledore's wall. "You remember me telling you about my great-grandfather Phinneas Nigellus Black?"

"Yes," Harry said. "What of it?"

"He gave this amulet to my great-grandmother Ursula on their first wedding anniversary," Sirius explained. "He told her that it was a token of his affection, but in all honesty, it was cursed. Great-granddad suspected that she was cheating on him with his best friend---"

The portrait of Phinneas roared to life. "She was a lying bitch!"

Harry jumped. "Bloody hell!"

"Phinneas---" Sirius said rolling his eyes. "I honestly don't know why Dumbledore allows your portrait on his walls."

"Because I was the headmaster of this school!" Phinneas roared.

"You were the least popular Headmaster this school ever had," Sirius reminded him.

"And you were one of the worst students," Phinneas retorted.

"Be that as it may," Sirius said dismissively. "As I was saying before we were rudely interrupted...the amulet was supposedly cursed. If Ursula dared to cheat on him while she was wearing the amulet, she would kill her paramour."

Harry shook his head. "How did Luna Lovegood get it then?"

"That's what you need to find out," Sirius told him.

"Well I know she told Hermione she got it on some holiday she took with her Dad," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Do you know where they went?" Sirius asked. "

"I'll ask when I see her next," Harry said, jotting it down on a piece of parchment.

"Let me know what you find out," Sirius said. "And if at all possible, see if you can get the necklace from Luna. "

"I'll try," Harry nodded. "Anything else?"

"Not that I can think of," Sirius replied. "I am glad that you're safe, Harry."

"I'm fine," Harry scowled. "I'd just like to throw Bellatrix back into Azkaban for good. Have her share a cell with Krum."

"You and me both," Sirius said. "Come on. I need to find Remus."

"Fine," Harry nodded.

"I've found us a place to stay in Vancouver," Sirius said conversationally. "I think you'll like it."

"I can't wait," Harry said. "This assignment is going to be so cool."

Sirius grinned. "You're looking forward to bossing people around."

"And you aren't?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"You know I always love doing that," Sirius said laughing. He led the way out of the castle.

In the distance, Harry saw Hermione showing Remus where the attack had happened. His heart thumped painfully against his rib cage but he knew he couldn't put her in harm's way again.

"Find anything?" Sirius called out to them.

"Nothing," Lupin shook his head.

Sirius hadn't expected them to, but he was disappointed just the same. "We should be getting back to headquarters."

Lupin nodded. "Hermione, I'll be in touch." he promised.

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said.

"Harry can walk you back to the castle," Sirius shot his godson a look.

Hermione nodded. "Are you ready, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "Fine," he said a bit tersely.

"Lupin told me about the amulet," Hermione said to him as they went back into the castle.

"Sirius wants to know if we can get it from Luna," Harry said, keeping a step ahead of her.

"We can try," Hermione said quickening her step to keep up with him.

"Maybe she'll let me buy it off her," Harry said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I'll ask when I go to lunch."

Hermione nodded. "I-I missed you this morning."

Harry closed his eyes in reply.

"We have just a few days until the ball," Hermione said. "And I think that's when Bellatrix and Krum will make their big move."

"Maybe," Harry replied as they entered the castle.

"Is everything okay?" Hermione asked him. "You're acting strange---"

"I'm fine," Harry replied.

Hermione knew he was lying, but decided not to call him on it. "We should get to class."

"What a waste of time," Harry muttered. "Class isn't going to help us figure this out."

"It might," Hermione said softly.

Harry didn't answer as they collected their things and headed off to class.

He was distant and business-like toward her for the rest of the day. She knew what he was doing, but she couldn't understand why.

It wasn't until they were sitting down for dinner that she finally decided to confront him. "I already told you this isn't going to work," Hermione hissed in his ear.

"What?" Harry asked innocently.

"You pushing me away," Hermione glared at him.

"I'm not doing anything," Harry lied.

"Yes you are," Hermione said. "You're pushing me away because of what happened last night."

Harry used his fork to move the food around on his plate. He wanted to tell her this was all for the best.

"I've been honest about my feelings for you," Hermione said intently. "And you finally opened up to me. Don't shut me out now."

"I just think that we should concentrate on the case right now," Harry said quietly. "We can figure the other stuff out later."

"Other stuff?" Hermione asked sharply. "Is that what I am to you?"

Harry put his head in his hands. "No, that's not, but I have a lot to deal with Hermione! She nearly killed you last night!"

"But she didn't," Hermione lowered her voice and put her hand on his arm. "And you pushing me away isn't going to do anything now."

"If something happened to you, I'd never forgive myself," Harry told her.

Hermione sighed. "Something could happen to me regardless of if we're together Harry."

Harry could feel his defences falling. "Hermione, I love you. I didn't lie about that."

"And I love you," Hermione replied. "What happened last night shouldn't affect us being together."

"And you're not just 'other stuff' to me," Harry said. "Which is why I'd do anything to make sure you're okay."

"Then what better way than stay together?" Hermione asked.

"I want that more than anything," Harry said truthfully.

"Then don't push me away," Hermione said softly. "We can be together Harry."

Thankfully, Harry didn't have to reply because Ron picked that moment to join them.

"What a day," Ron piled his plate with food.

"Where's Luna?" Harry asked

"Sitting with the Ravenclaws," Ron nodded over at the table.

"Everything okay with you two?" Hermione asked. She was wondering if perhaps it wasn't such a great idea that she'd given Luna a way to get into Gryffindor Tower.

"Fine," Ron nodded. "She's just tired."

Hermione looked over to see Draco walking over to Ginny. "Ron---"

"What?" Ron looked up, his mouth full.

"Malfoy's apparently deciding to make his feelings public," Hermione commented. She had never thought that would happen. His fellow Slytherins were gaping at Malfoy as he followed behind Ginny.

The redhead in question was doing her best to ignore Draco Malfoy but found it impossible as he nearly stepped on her heels. "What?" she asked.

"I haven't seen you all day," Draco said. "You spending all day watching Longbottom?"

"None of your business," Ginny answered.

"Sit with me," Draco asked reaching for her hand.

"At the Slytherin table?" Ginny asked him incredulously. "Have you gone mad?"

"Just sit with me," Draco replied.

"I'm sure Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dumber would love that," Ginny said sarcastically.

"Please," Draco said, using a word he'd never said before.

"I--I don't know," Ginny stammered, but Draco was already taking her hand and leading her toward the Slytherin table. She knew this wasn't a good idea and she could practically feel every eye on them.

"What the hell is she doing?" Ron asked in disbelief.

"I have no idea," Hermione muttered.

Pansy Parkinson levelled her gaze at Ginny. "What is SHE doing here, Draco?"

"She's with me," the look Draco gave everyone kept them quiet.

Ginny felt uncomfortable, but to Malfoy's credit, he did try to make her feel better about this. He filled her plate with food and Ginny could practically feel Parkinson seething.

"I'm glad you came with me," Draco said quietly. "I intend to make you see how much better I am for you."

"I shouldn't be here," Ginny said quietly.

"Stay," Draco put his hand on her wrist. "Nothing will happen to you with me here."

Ginny smiled at him. "Okay."

Pansy was watching the scene unfold with fury. "Draco--" she began in a simpering tone. "I thought we had something..."

"See, that's where you messed up," Draco said looking dismissively at her. "You thought wrong."

Ginny couldn't resist sending a little smirk at the other girl, who scowled at her.

"You certainly get around," Pansy said angrily. "Dean Thomas...Michael Corner....Dean Thomas again....Harry Potter....Dean Thomas....Neville Longbottom....and now Draco."

"Jealous?" Ginny asked disdainfully, sounding very much like Draco in that moment.

"You're nothing but a tramp," Pansy said standing up and grabbing her bag. "And I can't wait to be there when he chucks you."

"Well, you'll be waiting a long time," Draco told Pansy. "It's never going to happy. Red is with me and we don't care what anyone has to say about it."

"That's right," Ginny said before she realised she had trapped herself.

"Rubbish," Pansy said before turning on her heel and walking away.

"Don't worry about her," Draco said. "She's just a jealous bitch."

Ginny nodded. She hadn't meant to say what she had, but she couldn't just sit there while Parkinson said what she had. And then there was the fact that Draco was openly acting as if he wanted to be with her.

"Is this an act?" she asked in a low voice. "You aren't usually so public with... well with anything. Is this just to piss my brother off?"

"Well that's an unexpected perk," Draco said dryly.

Ginny shook her head and rose. "I knew this was a mistake--"

"Wait--" Draco called after her, but she was already stalking out of the Great Hall.

"Can you go and check on her?" Ron asked Hermione. The three of them had watched the whole thing and Hermione practically choked on her juice when Ron asked her that.

"Me?" Hermione asked.

"Well yeah..." Ron said. "I mean, you're a girl and--"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Thanks for noticing."

"I'm just saying she might... I don't know... open up to you since you're a girl." Ron said. "Please?"

"She and I don't really---" Hermione protested. "Oh, alright...but I don't think she'll talk to me."

She got up from the table and noticed that Harry didn't even say a word, didn't even act like he cared she was leaving. "Will I see you later?" she asked him pointedly.

"Ron and I have this thing to do later," Harry told her.

"No, we----OW!" Ron yelped as he felt Harry kick him under the table. "Um, yeah that thing...."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "We will be talking later," she told him. "Don't you dare try and leave me out like you did earlier."

Harry nodded. "Right."

"I mean it," Hermione warned him before leaving the Great Hall.

"She does, you know," Ron said quietly. "She's scary as hell, Harry."

"Yeah," Harry said absently.

"Trouble in paradise?" Ron asked spooning some more food onto his plate.

"Sod off," Harry replied. "Things are fine."

"Suuuuuuuuure," Ron said gleefully.

"Why do you care?" Harry asked irritably.

"Hermione Granger is completely mental," Ron explained. "And you would be so much happier without her. I mean, the shagging can't be all that great, can it? I imagine she nags you the whole time about not doing it right."

"You have no idea, do you?" Harry asked him. "Have you ever just sat for five minutes and spoken to her in a decent manner? Every time I see you talk to her, you just have something to criticise her about."

"She and I have absolutely nothing in common," Ron pointed out.

"And how would you know that?" Harry returned. "You know, she just did you a huge favour. She and Ginny don't get on yet she just went out there to help YOU out."

"I said please," Ron grumbled. "Oh, okay! Fine. I'll be nicer to her."

"Just try," Harry said. "Really, really try for once."

"Okay," Ron replied.

Hermione finally managed to catch up to Ginny in the Gryffindor common room. She had a feeling this wouldn't go well. "Um, Ginny?"

"What do you want?" Ginny asked rudely.

Hermione ignored her tone. "Um, well I saw you leave the Great Hall and you looked upset. I was just seeing if you were okay."

Ginny raised her eyebrow. "Why would you even care?"

Hermione didn't, but she had told Ron she would try. "I know how much Neville meant to you and I guess this hasn't been easy for you."

"No, it hasn't," Ginny crossed her arms and treated Hermione to a view of her back.

"Neville's always been a great friend to me and even though you and I had our differences, I could see how much he cared for you," Hermione said

Ginny didn't answer her.

"If you want to talk--"

"Look Hermione," Ginny suddenly rounded on her. "We are not friends. So don't come in here acting as if we are now."

"Look, I was just concerned!" Hermione protested.

"Sure you were," Ginny said snidely. "You only want to look good in front of everyone else."

"For your information, your brother was concerned and he asked if I could check on you," Hermione told her. "You know----I was just trying to be nice. No matter what happened between you and me or you and anyone else, we do have something in common. Neville."

"Whatever," Ginny rolled her eyes.

Hermione sighed. "I'm sorry I bothered you."

"You can go spread the word that I'm fine," Ginny snapped.

"I'll tell Ronald," Hermione said. "He was concerned."

"Why do you call him Ronald?" Ginny sneered.

Hermione looked quizzically at her. "It's his name, isn't it?"

"Only Loony Lovegood calls him Ronald," Ginny shook her head.

Neither girl noticed that Ron and Harry were watching them.

"Luna Lovegood used to be your friend," Hermione told her. "What the hell has happened to you, Ginny?"

"I grew up, Hermione," Ginny retorted.

"And what about Neville?" Hermione asked. "He loved you, Ginny."

"What happened between me and Neville is NONE of your business!" Ginny shouted.

"I'm concerned about my friend and I don't like seeing him hurt," Hermione retorted.

"It's none of your concern," Ginny was seething as she advanced on the older girl.

"Ginny," Ron called out, hurrying to get between them. "Calm down!"

"You sent HER here to check on me?" Ginny rounded on him furiously.

"Because he was worried about you!" Hermione said in Ron's defence. "Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have him as a brother?"

"I don't need your input," Ginny hissed at her, wrenching herself from Ron's grasp. She pushed past Harry and ran out of the common room.

Hermione shook her head. "Ron, I'm sorry. I really did try."

Ron nodded. "Thanks Hermione. It was um... it was nice of you to help me out."

Hermione gave him a slight smile. "You're welcome, Ronald."

Harry nodded at Ron as the redhead left the room. He also turned to go but Hermione called him back.

"Did you and Ron finish with what you were going to do?" Hermione asked him.

"No," Harry said quickly. "In fact--"

Hermione came up behind him. "He's gone now."

"I should catch up with him," Harry moved towards the door but she caught his arm.

"He's okay," Hermione said softly. "You know I'm not sore anymore...."

Harry nodded. "That's good," he replied, wishing she wouldn't stand so close. His resolve was already weak and this wasn't helping matters.

Hermione moved to stand in front of him. She took his hand. "You...you could see for yourself, if you wanted..."

Harry swallowed hard. "Hermione..."

Hermione toyed with his tie. "Yeah?"

Harry was having an extremely difficult time telling her to stop.

Hermione smiled seductively at him as she pressed herself against him. She could certainly feel how much he wanted her. "We have some time before our rounds..."

Harry gulped as he brought his arms up.

"Upstairs," Hermione whispered in his ear.

"No," Harry shook his head as he summoned every last ounce of willpower he had.

Hermione didn't hear him. "Harry--"

"I can't," he shook his head. "We can't do this anymore."

19. Chapter 19

Authors’ note: We may have lost some of you with the last chapter, but give us a little credit- we aren't taking the easy road, and what we're doing highly impacts the end of the story. If you're still disappointed, well we're sorry to hear that, but we're very proud of what we've done with this fic and have enjoyed every word of what we have written.

"I can't," he shook his head. "We can't do this anymore."

Hermione pulled away from him.

"This... all this... it's over." Harry said bluntly. "I can't put you in danger like that again."

"So you've made this grand decision for me?" Hermione asked him. "And I don't get a say?"

"No," Harry shook his head and stood his ground.

"I know the risks," Hermione told him. "And I don't care."

"Yeah, well I do," Harry pushed her hands down again. "As an Auror, one of the first lessons you learn is not to get too close to anyone. Now I know why."

"Did that apply to you and Melanie?" Hermione asked bitterly. "Or Lupin and Tonks? They're in love, Harry and they're Aurors. They found a way. Why can't we?"

"Mel and I aren't together," Harry said. "And I can't be with anyone, not while Bellatrix is out there. Next time she could kill you."

"So, what?" Hermione asked incredulously. "You're going to put your life on hold? You're not going to love anyone or be happy because she's out there? There's thousands of Death Eaters still out there, Harry. When you get rid of her, is someone else going to be your excuse?"

"Look!" Harry snapped. "It's over, okay? I don't owe anyone an explanation! I came here to do an assignment, not fall in love."

Hermione looked at him as if he'd slapped her. "I'm ...I'm sorry that I got in your way.'

Harry sighed. "Look--" he began but she interrupted him.

"No," Hermione said coldly. "You made yourself perfectly clear."

"We should go do rounds," Harry said as she stepped away.

"I think I'll do them with someone else tonight," Hermione told him. "I wouldn't want to get in the way of YOUR assignment."

"No matter what, we're still partners here," Harry retorted. "You told me that many times since I've arrived."

"Fine," Hermione hissed.

"I'm going to change," Harry muttered. "I'll meet you down here in fifteen."

Hermione shrugged and turned away from him.

Part of him felt relieved, but the other half kept saying he was shite. He loved her, he knew that. But he couldn't risk her life. Last night was proof of that.

Maybe once this was all over, they could find a way to be together. But then again, Hermione was right. There were many Death Eaters out there who were making it their mission to avenge Voldemort.

For now, Harry resolved to keep Hermione at arm's length, at least until this case was solved and he could figure something out.

Downstairs, Hermione was cursing herself for getting involved with him at all. She knew that it was completely unprofessional and she knew that she was going to set herself up for this great fall. But, she'd let herself go because he'd made her feel beautiful and desirable and confident.

"Not anymore," she shook her head. She would show him. She would figure things out on her own as much as she could and he would see what he was missing out on.

Harry came downstairs a few minutes later and Hermione barely acknowledged his presence. Once they were out of the Common Room, he pulled his Invisibility Cloak around him.

Hermione purposely led him toward the Ravenclaw Tower, hoping that Steven Fawcett would be somewhere nearby. Hopefully, he hadn't asked anyone else to the ball.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked in a low voice.

"Ravenclaw Tower," Hermione muttered.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Maybe we'll run into Luna," Hermione said rolling her eyes. She hated behaving like this and while that was part of the reason they were heading in this direction, she also wanted to make him jealous. It was behaviour that she usually abhorred.

"We can split up," Harry said. "I'll go down by Slytherin and we'll meet back in the common room afterwards in case we find anything."

"Whatever," Hermione said smiling as she spotted Steven.

Harry noticed the look on her face and his hand curled into a fist. "Don't you go getting any ideas," he hissed into her ear. "We have to go to that stupid ball together. It's WORK!"

Hermione ignored him. "Steven!"

The tall, brown-haired boy smiled warmly at her. "Oh, hi, Hermione!"

"What are you up to out here?" she asked.

"I just finished up in the library," Steven replied. "Did you finish that assignment for Arithmancy?"

Hermione nodded. "It was tough, but I really love a challenge."

Steven grinned. "None of those problems are ever a challenge for you."

"That's sweet of you to say," Hermione smiled at him.

Harry rolled his eyes and tried not to vomit. He knew what Hermione was trying to do, but it wasn't going to work. He wasn't going to get jealous over someone who probably thought sitting in the library going over numbers was a good time.

"You look really pretty tonight, Hermione," Steven said softly.

"In this?" Hermione blushed.

"Gryffindor red and gold," Steven said. "Brings out the gold in your eyes."

Harry couldn't help snorting at this comment.

"What was that?" Steven looked past her.

"Probably Peeves," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Right," Steven said, a bit nervously.

"Have you been exercising?" Hermione asked touching his arm. "You've really bulked up quite a bit."

Harry crossed his arms under his cloak. Her jealousy bit was working.

Steven flexed a bit for Hermione's benefit. "I've been lifting weights actually."

"Wow," Hermione said admiringly. "It's quite obvious..."

Again, Harry snorted. This bloke was a pipsqueak.

"Peeves certainly is active tonight," Steven said.

"Yes he is," Hermione stepped back and onto Harry's foot, digging her heel into his toes.

Harry bit his lip to keep from yelling out in pain.

"So how are things with you and Potter?" Steven asked.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't want to talk about him."

"Me either," Steven said. "So, if you don't want to talk about him, does that mean you're free for the Yule Ball?"

"Maybe," Hermione said, a bit coyly.

"Maybe yes or maybe no?" Steven flirted.

"Maybe--" Hermione began but she felt Harry poke his wand into her back.

"Hermione?" Steven asked expectantly.

"I um... I'll be right back," she flashed him a smile.

Steven pulled a confused face. "Oh...okay."

"What do you think you're doing?" Hermione hissed once they were around the corner. "I have every right to go to the ball with him if I'm not going with you!"

Harry pulled off his cloak and mimicked Hermione. "Oh, Steven, have you been exercising?" he said in a high-pitched voice. "I love your completely non-existent muscles!"

Hermione shoved him hard in the shoulder. "How about I break your nose again?"

"I know what you're doing and it's not going to work," Harry said. "I am not jealous. You don't fancy that bloke. You're in love with me and you think that if you fawn all over him, I'll change my mind."

"How I feel about you doesn't matter anymore," Hermione glared at him.

"Hermione---"

"You said so yourself," she said coldly. "I owe you nothing."

"That guy is a joke," Harry said to her. "And he doesn't ---"

"He doesn't play games," Hermione snapped. "Unlike you."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Steven called out for Hermione. Harry pulled the cloak around him and hoped Hermione would remember that they were here first and foremost for an investigation.

"Everything okay?" Steven asked Hermione.

"Fine," Hermione said. "Sorry about that. Thought I heard something."

"No problem," Steven assured her with a smile. "You know some guys think women in authority are a big turn off."

Hermione smiled. "Oh?"

"I'm not one of them," Steven flirted. "I like girls who take charge. Know what they want and go after it. Girls...girls like you."

Hermione felt Harry dig his wand into her back again. "That's... that's nice to know..." she said weakly.

Steven frowned. "I, um, if you don't want to go to the ball with me, perhaps you could save me one or two dances instead?"

"Sure," Hermione nodded. "I'm... sort of still going with Harry, even though we're not exactly together anymore."

"Oh," Steven nodded. "Right. You know I don't really get what girls see in him. I mean there's the name, of course, but once you get past that---"

"There really isn't much," Hermione replied. "I'm just committed to going with him. If I wasn't..."

Steven smiled. "Just save me a few dances, Hermione." He looked at his watch. "I'd better get inside or you'll write me up."

"Better hurry," Hermione smiled back at him. "And I'll definitely save you some dances."

Steven impulsively gave her a peck on the cheek before leaving. "Good night, Hermione."

"Bye Steven," Hermione said softly.

Harry threw his cloak off. "What a joke...”

"Go away," Hermione said. "Weren't we going to split up?"

"Yeah," Harry muttered.

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned away.

"Where do you want to go?" Harry asked her.

"I'm going to check around the library," Hermione said coldly. "I don't care where you go."

"Fine," Harry mumbled. "I'll take the Astronomy Tower."

Hermione turned and walked away without another word.

"Steven Bloody Fawcett," Harry said to himself as he looked around the corridor. "What a complete joke!"

Meanwhile, Ron had taken a quick trip around the first floor of the castle before heading back to the tower. Luna was planning on trying the spell Hermione had given them to spend the night in his dormitory.

He knew that Luna had never had sex before, and he wasn't going to pressure her. He'd be okay with just some heavy snogging and holding. When the time was right, they would take that next step. He wasn't in any hurry. He was enjoying just getting to know her.

As he turned the corridor, he heard a voice and then the sound of whimpering.

He pulled out his wand and stayed close to the wall. "Who's there?" he asked suspiciously.

Luna stepped out from the darkness and smiled shyly at him. "Hi..."

"Hey," Ron said. "I just heard someone crying..."

"It was me," Luna admitted wiping at her eyes.

"Why?" Ron was concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I went to see Neville," Luna said. "It's so sad, Ronald."

"Oh," Ron nodded. "Yeah... he's a good bloke. I don't know why he had to be attacked..."

"None of them deserved this," Luna said absently fingering the pendant around her neck.

"Were... were you still planning on coming up tonight?" Ron asked.

Luna nodded. "I don't really want to be alone tonight, Ronald."

"I promise I won't make you do anything," Ron said. "I just... I'd just like to wake up next to you tomorrow..."

Luna threw her arms around him and started to sob again.

Ron wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "Come on... I'm heading back to the tower."

"Promise me that you'll never, ever hate me," Luna pleaded.

"No way," Ron told her. "I love you."

Luna smiled up at him. "I love you, too."

"Come on," Ron took her hand.

Luna smiled at him. He was the sweetest boy she'd ever met. She didn't deserve him.

"Remember the spell?" he asked once they'd gotten to the Tower.

"I think so," Luna replied reaching into her pocket.

Ron nodded, looking over to look at the paper.

Luna said the spell and then pointed her wand at the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Wow," Ron said. "You don't even need a password!”

Luna giggled. "That's Hermione for you."

"She is pretty complete," Ron said. "I may have misjudged her."

"Just like you misjudged me," Luna said giving him a kiss.

"I did," Ron answered. "And I couldn't have been more wrong in my life."

Luna beamed at him. "Sometimes you know just the right thing to say, Ronald."

"That doesn't happen very often," Ron propelled her towards the stairs that led to his dorm.

When he opened the door to the dorm, Luna looked around. Neville and Dean weren't there, of course, but neither were Harry nor Seamus.

"Harry's probably snogging Hermione somewhere," Ron said as if reading her mind. "And Seamus is serving a late detention with Hagrid."

"Okay," Luna said shyly. "Which... which one is your bed?"

"That one," Ron motioned toward the one with the Chudley Canons poster over the bed.

"I should have figured as much," Luna said, fidgeting with her earrings.

Ron smiled at her. "Do you want to sleep in your uniform or do you want to borrow some of my pyjamas?"

"I don't know," Luna said her arms around herself.

Ron came up behind her and put his arms on her waist. "Don't be nervous, Luna."

"I'm sorry," she apologised. "I've never done this before..."

"It's okay," he said softly. "We're just going to sleep."

Luna nodded. "Could I borrow your shirt?"

"Sure," he said smiling at her.

"Where should I change at?" she asked.

"Here," Ron said. "Um, I'll just turn around and you tell me when you're ready."

"Thank you Ronald," Luna said softly.

Ron nodded and turned around.

She trusted him not to watch, although part of her wouldn't have minded if he did peek at her.

"Ready?" Ron asked a few moments later.

"Yes," Luna finished the last button. She folded the clothes she had been wearing and set them on the edge of his bed.

Ron turned around and grinned as he looked at her. A white button-down shirt had never looked so good on someone, he thought. He noticed that she was still wearing her necklace. "Need some help taking that off?" he offered.

"What?" Luna touched the pendant. "No!"

Ron recoiled. "I just wanted you to be comfortable is all."

"I'm sorry," Luna apologised. "It's just... I never take it off unless I can put it away properly. I don't know what I'd do if I lost it."

Ron leaned in to get a better look. "It's a bit odd."

"My father bought it for me," Luna said.

Ron touched the pendant. "A bit odd, but unique and with a certain beauty."

Luna smiled at him.

Ron smiled. "So you ready to hit it?" When he realised what he said, he turned red. "Um, I mean to hit the sack. You know go to bed..."

Luna blushed. "Yes... I'm a bit tired."

"Me too," Ron said pulling back the covers. "Ladies first..."

"Thank you Ronald," Luna said, sliding under the covers.

Ron smiled. "I'll just change into my pyjamas. Don't you go anywhere."

"I won't," Luna said as he pulled the hangings shut around the side and front.

Luna leaned back against the pillows and heard that awful voice in her head. "You know what you must do!"

She closed her eyes and willed the voice to stop. She wanted to remember this night, she didn't want to be a vessel for this anymore.

"He's in the way," the voice pounded in her ears. "Do it now."

"No," Luna shook her head. "I will not do this to him!"

"NOW!" the voice roared.

Luna sobbed as she grabbed at the pendant.

"It's easier when you don't resist," the voice said in a sing-song voice.

Ron pulled back the curtains and the smile on his face fell when he saw Luna was crying again. "Hey...what's wrong?"

Luna stared at him her eyes suddenly going vacant. "It's easier if you don't resist..."

"W-what?" Ron asked.

Luna stared at him, her face completely blank. "You have to be next..."

"Be next for what?" Ron asked reaching for her. "Luna---"

Luna caught his face between her hands and leaned in like she was going to kiss him.

Ron looked into her eyes and felt his insides go cold. "Luna---wait...what are you doing?"

"You have to go now," she said in a voice very much unlike hers. "I need what's inside you..."

Ron shook his head. He finally understood what was going on. Luna was behind all of this. "Luna...fight it. Sweetheart...it's me. Ronald."

"You have to go now," Luna said, pushing him back. "It's easier if you don't fight it."

Ron reached for her again. "Fight this, Luna. You're stronger than this. Come on..."

She bared her teeth at him. "IT'S EASIER IF YOU DON'T RESIST!"

"LUNA!" Ron yelled, but it was too late.

Everything went black as he fell backwards.

The pendant shone brightly for a long time and Luna just leaned over Ron. Finally, the spell was broken and Luna fell to her knees when she saw what she'd done.

"No," she sobbed. "No, no, no!"

"GET OUT BEFORE THEY FIND YOU!" the voice screamed.

Still crying, Luna gathered her things together and ran out of the room.

"Ronald," Luna whimpered as she struggled through the portrait hole.

By some stretch of luck, she wasn't seen by anyone as she ran through the dark halls. She didn't know where she was going.

She didn't want to do this anymore. She couldn't. These people were her friends and she was doing something horrible and for some unknown purpose.

"You are serving the greater good here," the voice in her head told her.

"What greater good?" Luna asked aloud.

The voice was now silent- it had left her, as it always did afterwards. Feeling faint and exhausted from what she had just done, Luna slumped against the wall.

She heard arguing and she felt her breath catch in her throat. She was too tired and too scared to move.

"Would you quit being a baby?" Hermione asked rolling her eyes. "I came up behind you and you completely overreacted!"

"You did it on purpose!" Harry retorted. "I could have hexed you, Hermione!"

"Not with the way you were holding your wand," Hermione said. "Would you just stop acting like a three year old?"

"Oh that's rich coming from you," Harry said sarcastically.

Hermione sighed. "Look can you shut up so we can finish this? I have homework to do when we get back."

"You sure you don't want to go and watch Fawcett lift weights?" Harry asked. "Hmm? You can drool all over him."

"I thought you said you weren't jealous," Hermione said smugly.

"I might be if I believed for a second that you really wanted him," Harry told her.

"It doesn't happen to be any of your business anymore," Hermione retorted.

Harry knew she was right. If it was going to be over, he had no hold over her and she could see whomever she wanted. It still didn't mean he had to like it. "Let's go back. I think we're finished here."

"Finally," Hermione rolled her eyes.

Luna was finally able to breathe once Harry and Hermione were out of sight.

"I can't do this..." she murmured. "Not anymore..." she reached up for the pendant.

"Your father----" the voice suddenly echoed.

"No," Luna shook her head. "Not Daddy..."

"You take that pendant off and he dies..."

"Please don't hurt him," Luna pleaded.

"Do as I say and he'll be fine...."

"Please don't make me hurt anyone else," Luna said, sagging back against the wall.

"Sweet dreams...."

20. Chapter 20

Authors’ note: Thanks for the feedback, guys! This chapter is a little short, but we hope you like it anyway!

In the weeks leading up to the ball, a few students withdrew from school because their parents were concerned about the attacks. Rumours were running rampant that the Ministry was thinking of closing the school down in light of the recent events. Dumbledore had toyed briefly with the idea of cancelling the ball, but after lengthy meetings with the Aurors, decided that the ball might be their last chance to catch the cloaked figure.

It was a sombre mood for the students as they prepared for the ball.

Upstairs in the girls’ dormitory, Lavender wiped at her eyes. She wasn't in the mood for a ball. Despite her break up with Ron, she was still upset that he'd been attacked. She never would have wished that fate upon him.

Hermione came out of the loo. "Are you really okay Lav?" she asked.

Lavender nodded. "I think so. I can't believe this has happened, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione dropped down onto the edge of her bed. "I mean, I never got on with Ron but..."

"I know," Lavender said squeezing Hermione's hand. "I feel so guilty because he and I hadn't really spoken since we broke up..."

"But you know it wasn't your fault," Hermione told her.

Lavender nodded. "I do...I just...when he wakes up, I'm going to apologise for how I treated him."

"Me too," Hermione agreed.

Lavender looked around their room. Parvati had gone home a few days ago. Her parents had pulled her out of school not wanting to take a chance with their other daughter.

"We, um, we should finish getting ready," Lavender said hastily.

Hermione nodded. "It feels so empty in here..."

"I'm just glad you're still here," Lavender said.

"I'm glad you are too," Hermione agreed. "You've become a good friend to me Lavender. I just wish it hadn't taken all seven years..."

"Better late than never," Lavender said picking up a brush and running it through her hair. "You just needed to admit that I was more than some ...what was it...flighty, shallow airhead...."

Hermione laughed. "And I was more than a work obsessed bookworm?"

"You forgot ...work-obsessed bookworm with bad hair," Lavender teased.

Hermione laughed. "I hoped you'd forgotten that part."

"Your hair's not so bad," Lavender said. "In fact...to make up for what I said, I'll even style it for you."

"Really?" Hermione asked. "That'd be great, Lavender."

"It'll keep my mind off of everything," Lavender said reaching for her bag of clips, gels and styling potions. "Just sit back and leave the rest to me...."

Half an hour later, Harry made his way downstairs to wait for Hermione. Seamus joined him a few moments later as he was Lavender's date.

"I was supposed to go with Parv," Seamus said tugging at his tie.

"Stag now?" Harry asked.

Seamus shook his head. "Since Lavender didn't have a date, I asked if she'd want to come with."

Harry nodded. "That's cool."

Seamus shrugged. "Well, you know kind of slim pickings around here. You, me, Hermione and Lavender are all that's left of the seventh year Gryffindors."

Harry's face fell a bit. "Yeah," he muttered.

Seamus nudged Harry when a couple of fourth-year girls came downstairs to cat calls from their dates. "Were we ever that young?"

"I wouldn't remember," Harry hoped he sounded like he was joking.

Hermione stood at the top of the stairs with Lavender. "You go first, Lav."

Lavender gave her a look. "Harry's going to fall over when he sees you, Hermione. Come on, we'll go together. You don't have to be nervous."

Hermione nodded. "Right...um, let's get this over with then, shall we?"

Lavender pulled her arm. "Yes, come on."

Seamus and Harry were talking; Harry's back was to the staircase. Seamus's eyes glossed over when he saw the two girls. Lavender wore a set burgundy dress robes and her blonde hair was styled in fancy updo with tendrils framing her face. "Whoa..."

Lavender smiled at him. "Hi Seamus," she said softly.

Seamus grinned. "Hello, Lavender. You look stunning."

"Thanks," Lavender said, pulling Hermione forward.

Harry finally turned around and his breath caught in his throat when he saw Hermione. The emerald green dress robes she wore hugged every curve and brought out the gold flecks in her hair and in her brown eyes.

She'd left her hair down and it was falling over her shoulders in long curls. "What?" she asked.

"You look beautiful," Harry said softly.

Something in her expressions softened. "Thanks," she said quietly. "You look nice too."

Harry offered her his arm. He wished that things were different. He wished that he was someone else and didn't have to worry about danger around every corner. But, he couldn't be selfish. No matter how much he wanted her, he wouldn't sacrifice her life for his own needs.

Hermione reluctantly took it as they silently followed Seamus and Lavender down the corridor to the Great Hall.

"Kingsley, Lupin and Tonks are going to be around the entire evening," Harry whispered to her. "I met with them this morning."

"Fine," Hermione answered.

"We need to keep an eye on Luna and on Malfoy," Harry reminded her.

"I know!" Hermione said tightly.

Harry sighed. "I was just reminding you of our two areas of focus, Hermione."

"And I already know about them," Hermione gave him a dirty look. "I am not stupid."

"I never said you were," Harry said tersely. "But you do seem to have a problem separating your personal life from your professional one."

"So are you the pot or the kettle?" Hermione retorted.

They made it to the Great Hall which was decked out in silver and white, looking very much like a winter wonderland. Harry bit back his response until he saw Steven Fawcett making a beeline for Hermione. "Look, it's Mr. Muscles. Try not to drool all over my shoes, Granger."

Hermione jabbed him hard in the side. "Hi Steven," she said in an amiable tone.

"Hello, Hermione," Steven said smiling at her. "You look..."

She smiled at him. "It looks nice in here."

"Not as nice as you," Steven flirted.

Harry snorted as Hermione stepped back on his foot. "OW!"

"Was that your foot?" Hermione asked innocently. "I'm so sorry..."

"Yes," Harry said angrily.

"Oopsie," Hermione said taking Steven's hand. "How about we dance?"

Steven grinned. "Sure!"

"I'll see you later," Hermione shot Harry a look as she walked away.

Harry glared after them.

"Wotcher, Harry!" a familiar voice said from behind him. He turned to see Tonks wearing a hot pink set of dress robes that matched her hot pink hair perfectly.

"You sure know how to blend in," Harry said sarcastically.

"I'm just being myself," Tonks said doing a little twirl. "Remus hasn't said anything about it though." She covered her mouth with her hand. "Not that he would, of course. Because he shouldn't---we're just working on this case together. Nothing else. Nothing else at all..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Right."

Tonks blushed and looked across the hall at the man in question. "He sure is....handsome tonight, and I mean that in the most professional sense..."

Harry's stance relaxed a bit. "If you care about him, why not tell him?"

"He's stuck on those horrible rules," Tonks grumbled. "Why can't two people who care about each other be together? Why let something stupid like rules get in the way?"

Harry shook his head. "Maybe he's just concerned for your safety."

"There's that, but he's hung up on those rules and the fact that I'm younger than he is," Tonks said. "I mean, if you love someone, you don't let those things get in your way."

Harry watched Hermione dance with Steven, his eyes narrowed.

Tonks followed his gaze. "You going to let the rules hold you back from what you want, Harry?"

"It's not the rules I'm worried about, Tonks," Harry replied. "Bellatrix went after her because she knows how I feel."

"You love her," Tonks said simply.

"What of it?" Harry asked irritably.

"I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you don't want to be with her," Tonks said looking over at Hermione and Steven. "Someone else will. Do you think you'll be okay with that?"

Harry didn't answer, but he didn't have to.

Tonks patted his arm. "Don't be a fool, Harry." And with that, she walked away from him.

"Whatever," Harry muttered. "I'd be a fool if I let her be killed."

It still pained him to see Steven holding her tightly and see her smiling up at him. That was how she'd looked at him.

Part of him stopped caring about her safety in that moment and he only wanted to go over and apologise for everything, then take her upstairs and shag her senseless.

"She looks horrible," he heard someone say and he turned to see some sixth year girls chattering about someone. He followed their gaze and saw Luna.

One of the other girls nodded. "Are you surprised though? The only thing I can't believe is that she showed her face here."

"You really think she had something to do with it?" her friend asked. "I heard it was Draco Malfoy."

"Draco's so hot," the first girl said. "Too bad he's got the hots for Ginny Weasley. She's such a tramp, playing him AND Neville Longbottom."

"Do you think she's going to show up with him?" her friend asked. "That really would be terrible of her..."

"It's not as if she's known for subtlety," the other said. "I mean, remember how great she thought she was when she was going out with Harry Potter? All two weeks and then he just up and dumped her. How fabulous was THAT?"

Her friend giggled. "Oh how the mighty have fallen..."

Harry turned away, not wanting to hear more. Instead, he focused on Luna, who looked quite forlorn and not at all happy to be there.

From the shadows, Bellatrix Lestrange looked anxiously across the room at the sullen girl who held they key to everything they'd worked so hard for. She motioned toward Viktor who was mooning over that Mudblood yet again. They were both in polyjuice form---she as Professor Sprout and he as a seventh year Hufflepuff student.

"Do not forget our plan," she hissed. "Get that disgusting Mudblood out of your head this instant!"

"I don't care," Viktor muttered. "Hermy-own-ninny will be mine tonight."

"She will be dead if you don't follow through," Bellatrix dug her fingers into his arm.

"Yes, Bella," Viktor hissed.

Harry got himself some punch and sat down at the Gryffindor table. He kept one eye on Luna and the other on Hermione.

So far, Hermione had danced to five songs with Steven and Harry's patience was wearing thin.

Having had enough, he stood up and stalked over to them. "I'm cutting in," he said unceremoniously.

"Wait just a second---" Steven protested, but Harry shoved him out of the way.

"I can't believe you just did that," Hermione said angrily.

"You're my date," Harry said putting his arms on her waist. "Not his."

"I'm only your date because we're partners," Hermione said. "Not because we want to be here together."

"Everyone else is supposed to think we are," Harry said, holding her close.

Hermione felt the familiar waves of desire as Harry's hands slid around her. She shook her head. "You don't want to be together, so let's not waste time dancing."

"Hermione---"

"No," Hermione said. "I'm not doing this again. Don't start."

Harry nodded, knowing she was right. "Let's split up. You remember the plan...."

"Yes." Hermione said testily. "I do."

"Meet back here in 15," Harry said quietly.

Without a word, Hermione turned and stalked away.

She nearly knocked Malfoy down in her haste to get away.

"Watch it, Granger!" he hissed.

"Sod off," Hermione returned. "Where were you?"

"None of your damn business," Draco said reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small flask.

"You can't drink here," Hermione stated.

Draco uncapped the flask and took a swig.

Hermione snatched it out of his hand. "WHAT IS THIS?" she demanded loudly.

Draco rolled his eyes. "Firewhisky, Granger. Now, give it back like a good Mudblood."

Hermione poured it out. "I don't think so."

"Granger!" Draco roared. "I'm going to---!"

"Do what?" Hermione sneered.

Draco clenched his fists at his side. "You're going to pay for that."

"Twenty points from Slytherin," Hermione said coolly.

"You can shove your points up your ---" Draco started to retort, but he lost his train of thought when he spotted the beautiful redhead who had just walked into the Great Hall.

Hermione stepped back. "Have fun Malfoy," she said coolly, handing him back the empty flask.

Ginny scanned the room thinking that this was a big mistake. She should just go back upstairs and sit with Ron and Neville.

She was about to turn away and leave when Draco came up behind her. "Red..."

"Hi," Ginny whispered.

"You look amazing," Draco said truthfully.

Ginny touched the royal blue set of dress robes and felt a stab of guilt. Neville had bought these for her. "Thanks."

"Come on," Draco said, touching her lower back. "Let's go sit down."

Ginny shook her head. "I don't think it's such a good idea, Draco."

"You're already here," Draco said. "You're allowed to have some fun, you know."

"My brother is upstairs in the hospital wing," Ginny said quietly. "And my boyfriend, too."

"Longbottom isn't your boyfriend," Draco said bluntly.

"He is," Ginny said. "And I love him, Draco."

Draco stared at her. "You love him but you couldn't stop meeting me?"

"You took me completely by surprise," Ginny told him. "I had no idea you felt this way about me...."

"Well now you do," Draco interrupted. "And I think you feel the same way, Red."

"I don't know how I feel about anything anymore," Ginny said truthfully.

"Then why did you come here?" he asked.

"I wanted to see you," Ginny admitted.

He smiled at her.

And even though Ginny knew it was wrong and everyone would talk, but she reached for his hand. "I suppose one dance couldn't hurt."

"That's my girl," he said, pulling her close.

Ginny smiled up at him and caught the smell of alcohol on his breath. "You've been drinking..."

"Just a bit," he answered.

"Because of me?" Ginny asked.

"Because of everything," Draco said. "I hate everything about this place except for you."

Ginny blushed. "I never dreamed that you would talk to me like this."

"It doesn't have to be a dream," he said quietly. "You know how I feel."

Ginny smiled up at him. "Draco, I think I am falling for you."

He actually grinned back at her.

Ginny rested her head on his chest and blocked out everything and everyone around them.

Hermione had just met up with Harry. "I caught Malfoy coming in late," she said. "He was drinking."

Harry smirked. "If you looked like him, you'd be drinking too."

Hermione almost smiled. "Did you talk to Luna?"

Harry shook his head. "I tried, but she said something about going back upstairs and not being in the mood for a party. I followed her and made sure she went into the Ravenclaw Tower."

Hermione nodded. "That's good... she'll be safe up there."

Harry looked out on the dance floor and then back at Hermione. "Things seem pretty secure so far..."

Hermione nodded. "Tonight's been rather tame."

"Tame," Harry agreed. "So...would you ...."

Hermione raised her eyebrow. "What?"

Harry cursed himself for feeling like a shy school boy who couldn't string two words together around the girl he fancied. But, it was true. And Tonks' words from earlier that evening were echoing in his head. He looked at Hermione earnestly. "Dance with me."

"Why?" Hermione crossed her arms.

Harry smiled at her. She never did make things easy for him. "Why? Well, that's easy. It's a ball. You're my date. And from the moment you walked down those stairs tonight, I've been remembering what it was like to hold you, to kiss you, to wake up next to you."

"Don't do this to me," Hermione stepped away from him. "Damn it Harry..."

"I'm an idiot, Hermione," he called after her. "I don't want to lose you."

She shook her head. "You can't play with me like this."

He stepped toward her. "I'm not playing with you. I was ...scared of something happening to you. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you..."

Much to her chagrin, she found herself nodding. "Fine... one dance. But don't expect anything to come of it."

"One dance," Harry agreed, taking her hand and leading her onto the dance floor.

She looked at the floor, at everyone else, the ceiling; anywhere but at Harry. She was afraid if she looked in his eyes she'd forget herself all over again.

"You spending Christmas with your folks?" Harry asked noticing that she was keeping a safe distance from him during their dance.

"I don't know," Hermione answered.

Harry nodded and tried in vain to pull her close. Tonks was right. If you truly loved someone why would you let anything stand in your way. Being with Hermione felt like coming home and he didn't want to go without that feeling. It might be selfish, but it was the way things were.

It took every ounce of her willpower to keep Harry at arms length when all she wanted to do was curl up against him.

"Do you remember my first day here?" Harry asked her.

"What of it?" Hermione asked.

"You said I didn't notice you until I saw you in that dress at the pub," Harry said. When Hermione looked up at him and rolled her eyes, he held up his hand. "And you're right. I didn't. I'm a bloke, Hermione. We're not very deep."

"I could have told you that," Hermione replied dryly.

Harry grinned. "But you made me stand up and take notice and that night when we kissed for the first time..."

Hermione looked at him. "It was nice..."

"Just nice?" Harry asked.

Hermione shrugged noncommittally.

"I can do better," Harry whispered leaning in.

She didn't get a chance this time to pull away before he kissed her.

Harry's arms snaked around her waist finally able to pull her closer to him.

Of their own volition, her arms wound around his neck and she kissed him back passionately.

Harry wasn't sure how long they kissed, but he was a little light-headed when they finally pulled apart.

Hermione was breathless and she almost stumbled a little.

Harry moved to kiss her again when Sirius appeared at their side. "We just found Professor Sprout tied up in the greenhouse. She was knocked out.."

"What?" Harry asked. "But she was just over there. I saw her!"

"We need to search the grounds," Sirius said gravely. "We're not saying anything to the students. Dumbledore has put a ward on the Great Hall. But, we need to canvas every inch of this castle and the grounds. I'm taking the ground floor. Harry, you and Lupin will take the grounds. Hermione, I need you to take the first and second floors. Do not try anything stupid. The moment, you're in trouble, you know how to alert one of us..."

Hermione nodded tensely. "We'll be all right."

"I don't like you going around here alone," Harry said when they left the Great Hall. "I'm going to tell Lupin I'll help you."

"I'll be fine," Hermione assured him. "Sirius has faith in me, Harry. Can't you do the same?"

"Don't you remember the last time you almost got attacked?" Harry reminded her.

"Of course I do," Hermione replied.

"You froze," Harry said. "Even though I know you can defend yourself, you clammed up and couldn't do anything to stop this person."

Hermione looked down, not liking to remember that horrible moment when she doubted herself. "We're wasting time. If we're going to go together, we should start now."

"Harry," Lupin said briskly. "You're with me. Now."

"I'll be okay," Hermione told Harry.

"Lupin she can't go by herself," Harry said. "She can't--"

"She's not," Tonks said joining them. "I'll be with her."

Whatever sparks had reignited between Harry and Hermione during their kiss were gone. "It's nice to know you have all this faith in me," Hermione shook her head as she turned to follow Tonks.

"Hermione---- "

"Come on, Harry," Lupin said.

With a sigh, Harry followed Lupin outside.

Harry put aside what was going on with Hermione to concentrate of finding out who was on the grounds and why they'd knocked out Professor Sprout. If it had been the cloaked figure, surely they would have treated her like the other victims.

"Think Lestrange is behind this?" Harry asked Lupin as they hurried outside.

"You saw her here," Lupin said. "She's obviously into this somehow."

Harry nodded. "What is her deal anyway? Voldemort is dead and gone."

"My recent research showed that there's a way to harvest souls," Lupin said. "In order to bring about a dark lord."

Harry stopped walking and gaped at Lupin. "Hang on...she's behind all of this because she wants to bring Voldemort back?"

"Seems that way," Lupin answered.

"And how does Krum figure into all this?" Harry wondered aloud.

"Her accomplice, perhaps." the older man shrugged.

"What's his motive?" Harry asked.

"I'm not sure," Lupin replied. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Tonks walking toward them from the greenhouses. But, they'd just left her in the castle.

"Nymphadora," Lupin called out to her. "What are you doing here?"

"I was securing the greenhouses like Kingsley told me to," Tonks replied. "And please do not call me by that name, Remus. I hate it."

"You were just going to help Hermione in the castle," Harry ignored her question. "What the hell are you doing out here?"

Tonks looked quizzically at him. "Harry, I haven't seen Hermione since earlier when you and I were watching her dance with that other bloke..."

21. Chapter 21

Authors’ Note: This is the last chapter in this story. Please read the additional authors’ note at the end of the chapter to get details on what is coming up next. We know that some of you have had some issues with this story, but we’re glad that the majority of you have hung in here with us and have enjoyed the ride. We appreciate you guys taking the time to read and to review. It means the world to us and makes us want to keep writing!

Harry felt himself grow panicked. "Fuck!" he swore, drawing his wand and running back towards the castle.

Back inside the castle, Hermione was walking around the second floor corridor with Tonks.

"You know, Harry really should have more faith in your abilities," Tonks was telling the younger girl.

"I know it," Hermione fumed. "It's like up and down with him."

"Treating you like some damsel in distress," Tonks huffed.

"He's like every other guy," Hermione said, lighting the end of her wand.

"Exactly," Tonks said hiding a smile as she followed Hermione around the corner. If all went according to plan, that halfwit blonde would be in place and everything would go according to plan.

Hermione heard a muffled sound to her right and turned to look. "Luna?"

Luna looked up and wiped stubbornly at her eyes. "H-Hermione..."

"What are you doing out here?" Hermione rushed forward.

Tonks stood back and watched the two girls. Her wand was at the ready just in case Luna Lovegood flaked out on them, but she knew the pendant wouldn't let her down.

"I-I don't know," Luna said weakly.

"Come on let's get you to Dumbledore," Hermione tried to help her up.

"She doesn't need to see Dumbledore," Tonks said firmly. "You're fine, aren't you Luna?"

"What?" Luna asked.

"Luna knows what she has to do," Tonks said staring at Luna. "Don't you, Luna?"

"Yes..." Luna's gaze became vacant.

"I think we need to get her to the hospital wing at least," Hermione said. "Tonks, can you help me?"

Tonks merely smiled at her. "She's fine, Hermione."

"I'm fine," Luna said in a monotone.

Hermione looked back and forth between them. "What is going on here? Tonks?"

"Why don't you tell her, Luna?" Tonks asked the blonde.

Luna touched the pendant. "N-no...can't do this anymore...."

"Yes, you can," Bellatrix said as she slowly turned back into herself.

"Oh Merlin..." Hermione whimpered as she began to back up.

"Lovely to see you again, Miss Granger," Bellatrix said icily.

"How... how did you get in here?" Hermione asked shakily.

"That's not important now, is it?" Bellatrix asked. "My good friend Luna has been helping me with my plan and we have one last soul...and I think you're the perfect candidate. After all, taking you would not only give me what I want, it would be my way of taking from Potter what he took from me..."

"Whatever was taken from you, you deserved it..." Hermione pointed her wand at the other woman. "What have you done to Luna?"

"I gave her that necklace," Bellatrix replied. "Well, not me personally, but I did make sure it fell into the right hands. And what capable hands they were. She was scared and timid at first, but she really rose to the occasion. "

Luna grabbed Hermione's arm. "I-I can't do this anymore."

"You don't have to," Hermione told her. "Come on Luna. Just take off the pendant."

"Can't," Luna said shaking her head. "Daddy..."

Bellatrix laughed. "That's right," she drawled. "If she takes it off, her precious daddy dies."

"Why are you doing this?" Hermione asked her. "Voldemort is dead..."

Bellatrix's eyes blazed. "He will never be dead as long as those who are loyal to him live."

Luna shakily stepped forward. "It's easier if you don't fight it..."

"Luna YOU can fight this," Hermione grabbed the blonde's shoulders.

Tears streamed down Luna's cheeks as she did try to fight the hold that the pendant had on her.

"Bella--"

"DO IT!" Bellatrix hissed.

Luna nodded and focused her gaze on Hermione as the pendant around her neck illuminated.

"NO!" Harry exclaimed at the foot of the stairs watching in horror as Hermione collapsed.

"Potter," Bellatrix smiled icily. "So lovely of you to join our little soiree..."

Harry stared at Hermione's lifeless figure curled up on the ground at Luna's feet.

"The Dark Lord will be happy to see you," Bellatrix chided him.

"I killed him once, I could do it again," Harry said coldly.

"Would it be worth it?" Bellatrix asked motioning toward Hermione. "The Mudblood isn't going to be around to fawn at your feet..."

Harry advanced angrily on her. "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO HER?"

Bellatrix pointed her wand at Hermione. "You do anything to me and you'll lose any hope of getting her out of this hold I have on her now, Potter."

Harry stared at her, his anger almost too much to allow him to see straight. "You fucking pathetic bitch," he spat.

Bellatrix laughed. "You and Viktor....what do you see in her?"

"None of your damn business," Harry answered as Luna stood there, staring blankly at both of them. "And what did you do to her? Luna wouldn't harm anyone!"

"Normally she wouldn't," Bellatrix agreed. "But thanks to that pendant and my research on Malcolm Alderton....she became invaluable. And in just a few moments she will help me bring it all together."

"How?" Harry asked, hoping to trick her into telling him something he could use.

Bellatrix laughed. "You silly boy. That Mudblood really was the brains behind your little operation."

"Hermione would never have helped you," Harry's eyes narrowed.

"No, but I imagine she would have figured it out," Bellatrix said kicking Hermione's limp body. "She is rather clever, but you knew that."

"I know," Harry said coldly. "Do that again and I'll fucking kill you."

Bellatrix cackled. "It's not as if she can feel it, my dear boy."

"Why didn't you just do this yourself?" Harry asked her, moving closer to Hermione. "Why did you have to make Luna carry out your dirty work?"

"Being as you're about to join her, I imagine it'd be okay if I told you," Bellatrix said smugly. "You know that it's not that easy to get into this wretched place. I knew I had to get someone on the inside and Ernest Lovegood and his dreamy little daughter were just what we needed. She fell in love with my pendant. I can still hear her gushing to her poor father over it."

"Then why did you need the Draught of the Living Death?" Harry asked.

Bellatrix grinned. "You know your little friends up in the hospital wing? Those poor souls..."

Harry glared at her. "WHY?"

"How do you think they've managed to stay the way they are for so long?" Bellatrix asked circling him. "We needed to keep their souls preserved until he right moment. So, we had dear, sweet Luna going into the hospital wing and switching out those healing potions that your nurse was giving them. You know, she didn't want to do it. She fought us every step of the way, but that pendant's power was far too strong for her."

"You disgusting bitch," Harry spat. "And that's why no Slytherins were attacked. You need them--"

"I would never, ever attack the students in the very house that my master belonged to," Bellatrix interjected. "Never!"

Harry was thoroughly disgusted and he turned his attentions to the blonde, who was standing still and staring off into space. "Luna," Harry said. "Luna look at me."

Luna turned her pale blue eyes toward him.

"You don't have to do this," Harry said, looking at the glowing pendant.

"Yes she does," Bellatrix said smiling as Viktor joined them. The Bulgarian paled when he saw Hermione.

"Vot did you do to Hermy-own-ninny?" Krum demanded.

"I told you to forget about the Mudblood," Bellatrix snarled.

"That wasn't our plan," Viktor said angrily making a move toward Hermione.

Bellatrix stopped him with her wand. "Don't you make a move."

Viktor froze. "This wasn't our deal, Bella."

"You made a deal with her?" Harry asked. "Look what it got you, Krum!"

"She was going to give me Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor grumbled.

Harry stared at him in disgust.

"You're both pathetic," Bellatrix sniffed.

"Look who's talking!" Harry shouted. "You can't bring Voldemort back! No matter what you do!"

"That's where you're wrong!" Bellatrix roared. "He will be back and we will be together!"

"H-Harry," Luna muttered her eyes focused on him. "I-I d-didn't mean to do this..."

"I know," Harry said. "I know, Luna... just take off the pendant and it'll be all right."

Luna shook her head. "I can't! She'll kill my father!"

"You'll stop at nothing won't you?" Harry advanced on Bellatrix again. He wished Sirius or Remus or the real Tonks or ANYONE would come up there.

"You'd do anything for her, wouldn't you?" Bellatrix asked simply. "We're not so different, you and me, Potter."

"What I want to do for people won't kill others," Harry said angrily as they began to circle one another.

"I've not killed them," Bellatrix explained. "I've just ...borrowed them..."

"They're in here," Luna said weakly touching the pendant. "Their souls are all in here..."

Harry whipped around and stared at the pendant. "In there?" he choked out. "Hermione's-- soul? Is in there? And Ron's... and Neville's..."

Luna nodded. "I'm so sorry..."

"So sorry," Bellatrix mocked. "Well Potter... we now have all the souls we need. Your Mudblood lover was the last and greatest acquisition."

Sirius and Lupin appeared from behind Bellatrix. Harry didn't look in their direction because he didn't want to alert Bellatrix to their presence.

"This won't work," he said.

"Because you said so?" Bellatrix asked sarcastically. "That means nothing to me."

"I'll break the damn thing," Harry snapped. "You won't get anything!"

"You break it and you'll never see her again," Bellatrix hissed. "Is that what you want?"

"It'll free her," Harry said. "And everyone else."

"The hero saves the day," Bellatrix said with a laugh. "Not this time. Come here, Luna..."

"Don't go to her Luna," Harry held his arm out.

"LET HER GO!" Bellatrix shouted. "COME TO ME, LUNA!"

Luna's eyes again went glassy and she pulled free of Harry's grip and started towards Bellatrix.

Sirius stepped forward. "Good evening, cousin."

"Black," Bellatrix turned slightly. "Why am I not surprised to see you?"

"I was going to say the same about you," Sirius said calmly.

"Such a shame you turned your back on the family," Bellatrix purred. "You could have been a great wizard."

"Instead of a bigoted bitch such as yourself?" Sirius asked dryly.

Bellatrix sneered at him and kicked at Hermione's still body.

Harry resisted the urge to tackle her. He had to be patient for this to work and for him to save Hermione and the rest of his friends.

"It is time," Luna said listlessly.

"That's right my pet," Bellatrix said.

"Bella," Voldemort's raspy voice called out.

Harry felt his blood freeze at the sound of the voice he'd hoped to NEVER hear again. He spun around looking for the source and was stunned to discover it coming from Krum.

Bellatrix forgot about Sirius and the others as she knelt down in front of Viktor. "My lord, is it you?"

"Bella," Voldemort said weakly.

"Touch the pendant, Master!" Bellatrix said excitedly as she pulled Luna forward.

Luna trembled in fear as Viktor reached for her.

Sirius met Harry's gaze and nodded.

At the same time, Harry grabbed Luna and pulled her away as Sirius dived for Bellatrix. He ripped the pendant from her neck and smashed it as hard as he could against the stone wall.

Viktor's eyes glassed over and he passed out from the strain.

Bellatrix screamed out over Sirius' shoulder. "NO! MASTER!"

"Give it up," Sirius said, holding her wrists together. "It's over, Bellatrix."

Lupin ran over to help restrain Bellatrix.

Luna looked at the broken shards of the pendant. "Harry---"

"It's okay Luna," Harry said helping her to her feet.

"Is it---is it over?" Luna asked him in a small voice.

Harry nodded. "I don't know... I don't know what's going to happen to everyone. I hope they'll wake up."

"Oh Merlin..." Luna said looking down at Hermione. "Harry---"

Harry dropped to his knees next to her. "Hermione..." he gently turned her onto her back.

"We need to get her to the hospital wing," Lupin said to Harry. "Luna and Krum as well..."

Harry lifted her effortlessly. "Luna, can you walk?" he asked.

Luna nodded. "Yes..."

"We'll take care of Lestrange," Lupin said. "Tell Tonks to come up here immediately if you see her."

"I will," Harry promised. He held Hermione close as he carried her upstairs with Luna following behind.

"What am I going to say to everyone?" Luna asked softly. "After what I did..."

"It wasn't your fault," Harry told her. "The people who care about you will understand."

"I did it to Ronald," Luna said tearfully.

"He loves you," Harry reassured her, looking down at Hermione.

Luna looked at him a moment. "Like you love her..."

"Exactly like that," Harry whispered.

They arrived at the hospital wing where Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey were already waiting. "Put her here," the nurse directed. "And Miss Lovegood, you lie down there."

Harry set Hermione gingerly down on the bed and he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Stand back Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said briskly.

Harry nodded and moved over to stand by the headmaster. "She'll be okay, won't she?"

"We should know soon," Dumbledore told him quietly.

Harry looked around the room at the students who had been attacked. If only, he'd managed to figure this all out sooner, most of this could have been avoided.

"You did well tonight Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said. "Bellatrix has already been apprehended and Mr. Black has taken her to the Ministry."

"I wanted to kill her," Harry admitted.

"But you didn't," Dumbledore said quietly. "You are able to restrain yourself. That's the mark of a good Auror."

His words didn't mean much to Harry at the moment. He kept his eyes on Hermione as Madam Pomfrey tended to her.

"Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey huffed. "You should go..."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Not until she wakes up."

"You broke the pendant, correct?" Dumbledore asked him.

Harry nodded. "It was destroyed, sir."

"Then all the students should begin waking up quite shortly." Dumbledore said with a smile.

"What?" Harry asked.

"The students will wake up in the order their souls were stolen from them," Dumbledore looked over at Padma Patil's bed, where the dark haired girl was already beginning to stir.

Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore both hurried over to the girl's bedside and Harry took the opportunity to sit on Hermione's bed. He reached for her hand.

"It's all going to be different this time," he promised her. "When you wake up, it's all going to be different.

He'd realised something when he'd seen her attacked. It would have happened to her regardless of whether or not she was with him or not.

Harry vowed he wouldn't push her away again. Perhaps he could talk to Sirius and postpone their trip to Vancouver so he could finish out the school year with her.

One by one the students woke up and Luna kept her eyes on the red-haired boy who was lying on the bed directly across from her. She wondered what he'd say when he woke up---would he forgive her?

Harry looked over at her. "How are you feeling?" he asked quietly.

"Ashamed," Luna replied.

"It wasn't your fault," Harry told her. "You were possessed by that pendant... or rather what was in it."

"My father bought it for me," Luna said quietly. "We were travelling in Estonia and we came about this vendor who was selling these interesting looking necklaces. My father recognised the pendant and told me he thought it belonged to one of our ancestors. Because he bought it for me, I said I'd never take it off. Oh, Harry...what have I done?"

"Hey," Harry moved over to the edge of her bed. "You didn't know. Bellatrix used this to possess you. It's not like you did it of your own free will."

Luna wiped at her eyes. "I didn't even know what was happening, Harry. I'd wake up and not remember how I got to my bedroom. And I'd just feel so knackered..."

Harry nodded. "I don't talk about this very often," he began. "But when I was fifteen, Voldemort used Legilmency to get into my head. I felt the same way- exhausted and not knowing how I got to places."

"Did you---did you do anything bad?" Luna asked.

"Not really..." Harry answered. "But I saw the bad things Voldemort did. And not being able to do anything to help made me feel like I had a part in it."

"But you didn't--" Luna started to tell him.

"Witnessing it and not doing anything about it kind of feels like the same thing," Harry told her. He followed her glance over to Ron. "I think he'll know you weren't truly responsible."

"I love him so much," Luna said softly.

Harry smiled. "I'm sure he'll be waking up soon," he moved back to Hermione's bed.

"I hope so," Luna said leaning back against her pillows, but keeping an eye on Ron.

Ginny rushed into the room a few moments later. She'd heard what had happened upstairs and she'd left Draco's side. But, unbeknownst to her, he'd followed her upstairs to the hospital wing.

Ginny ignored Harry and Luna as she rushed over to Neville's side. The flowers she'd brought to him earlier that day were still sitting beside his bed.

"Is it true?" she asked the nurse. "They're all waking up?"

Madam Pomfrey nodded. "Yes, Miss Weasley. Let me know when Mr. Longbottom starts to stir."

Ginny smiled in relief. "Neville," she whispered. "I'm here... and everything's going to be okay."

Harry glared at her. She had some nerve coming up here after what she'd done. Almost as if on cue, Malfoy stormed into the hospital wing. "Red---"

"Go away, Draco," Ginny hissed. "Neville's going to wake up soon and the last thing he needs is to see you here."

"So you just leave me for him now?" Draco asked angrily.

"This isn't the time or the place for this," Ginny said her eyes still focused on Neville. She leaned over and placed a kiss on Neville's cheek.

"Then what you told me downstairs was a lie?" he demanded.

Ginny turned and looked at him in exasperation. "No... Yes...can we please not get into this now?"

Draco shook his head. "You're nothing but a tease," he said disdainfully.

"Mr. Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey huffed. "Can you please keep it down?"

"I'm out of here," Draco stated coldly.

Ginny turned back around and looked at Neville. His eyes blinked open and Ginny smiled down at him. "Neville..."

"Where am I?" the brown haired boy asked.

"You're in the hospital wing," Ginny told him softly. "You were attacked....don't try to talk too much, Neville."

Neville blinked as memories came rushing back to him. "You... you were up in the tower..."

Ginny squeezed his hand. "None of that matters now, Neville. I love you."

Neville stared at her, then at Draco who hovered behind her shoulder. "I can't believe this..."

"I'm sorry about what happened," Ginny said cutting him off. "But what was between Draco and me ...it's over now. It's just you and me."

Neville shook his head as he pushed himself up.

"Neville---"

"Go away," he said. "Just go away, Ginny."

Ginny looked at him. "Neville, you've just woken up---"

"And I remember what I saw right before I was attacked," Neville looked away from her. "It's over between us, Ginny."

Ginny's lower lip began to tremble. "Neville, you're the only one I want to be with. I was a fool before, but not anymore."

"It's too late," Neville pulled away from her. "See if he still wants you."

"Neville---"

Madam Pomfrey gently moved Ginny out of the way. "You can come back and see him tomorrow, Miss Weasley. I have to examine him."

"I'll be back," Ginny promised.

Neville glared at her retreating back. He never wanted to see her again.

Harry shook his head. "Alright Neville?" he asked.

"Getting there," Neville replied only half-listening as Madam Pomfrey explained what had happened.

"Ronald?" Luna asked looking over and seeing him beginning to stir.

Ron coughed as his eyes popped open. "What's going on? What am I doing in here?"

"It's my fault," Luna told him. "I-I attacked you, but I didn't mean to, Ronald. Please believe me!"

"What?" Ron squinted at her.

"It was me," Luna said hurriedly, thinking that if she didn't get it all out now, she'd never tell him. "That pendant I was wearing---it was enchanted or something and it made me do those horrible things, Ronald. I never, ever meant to hurt you or anyone else. Please tell me you believe me."

Some of the other students were staring at her now and Luna felt a sob rising up in her chest. "I'm so sorry," she said, tears welling up in her eyes as she got up off the bed. "I don't deserve to have anyone look after me, not after what I did!"

Ron looked at her as she sat down beside him. He remembered that night when she'd attacked him. Truth was, he didn't know what to make of all of this, but he did know that Luna wouldn't knowingly harm anyone. "I think you do, deserve it, I mean."

Luna looked at him thinking he meant she deserved the hostility and anger that was sure to come from the students and their parents. "I'm just going to leave now..."

"Hey Luna, wait!" Harry said but Ron had already gotten to his feet.

"Loony?" Ron asked.

Luna's lower lip trembled as she wiped her eyes.

"You daft girl," Ron said smiling at her. "I think you deserve someone to look after you. Merlin knows I need someone to look after me. And since I doubt anyone else would have us, we could be that for each other. What do you say?"

"You... you still love me?" Luna asked disbelievingly. "Even after what I did?"

Ron nodded. "You gave me a second chance after those horrible things I said about you."

"But you didn't hurt anyone," Luna looked down.

"And neither did you," Ron told her. "Not intentionally."

"Yes but--" she began.

Ron leaned forward and kissed her softly, cutting off her protest. "So are we clear?" he asked.

Luna stared at him. "I... I think so..."

Ron smiled and took her hand, leading her back over to the bed. Harry watched as his two friends cuddled up close.

"Nice going mate," he said, nodding at Ron.

Ron grinned, but didn't say anything.

Harry turned to look at Hermione. "Come on, sweetheart."

She stayed still for another several moments before letting out a weak moan.

Harry smiled and brushed back a strand of hair from her forehead. "Hermione, sweetheart. It's me."

Hermione's eyes drifted open and she focused them on him.

"You gave me quite a fright," he said softly. "But you're okay now."

"What happened?" she asked, putting her hand to her head.

Harry told her about the pendant and what had happened upstairs with Bellatrix, Krum, Luna and Sirius.

"I destroyed the pendant and you lot have been waking up in the order you were attacked.

"So I'm the last?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "We saved the best for last."

She didn't smile. "My head hurts a bit."

"You took a nasty fall when you were attacked," Harry said motioning for Madam Pomfrey.

"Oh," Hermione rubbed at her temples. "Everyone's okay?"

"Everyone's fine," Harry reassured her.

The nurse came over and Harry stood up so she could get a better look at Hermione.

"How are you feeling, Miss Granger?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"My head just hurts," Hermione said. "Otherwise I feel like I just had a really deep sleep."

"I'll give you a potion for your head," Madam Pomfrey said. "And we're going to keep all of you overnight for observation."

She nodded. "Thank you Madam Pomfrey."

"You can sit with her for a few more minutes, Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said before hurrying off to get Hermione's potion.

Harry immediately sat down again. "It's all going to be okay now..."

Hermione looked wordlessly at him.

He smiled at her. "I was thinking--" he began before Lupin and Sirius came into the hospital wing.

"How are you feeling, Hermione?" Sirius asked.

"I'm all right," Hermione answered. "Thank you."

"You'll be happy to know that Bellatrix and Krum will be escorted to Azkaban in the morning," Sirius told them.

Hermione nodded. "How could they do this to innocent people?" she asked. "And how could they make Luna do this for them?"

"It's no secret of Bellatrix' involvement with Lord Voldemort," Lupin explained. "This was her twisted way of bringing him back. She used innocent people to do it and because of that she's going to pay."

"Good," Hermione nodded, her eyes cast down.

"You get some rest," Lupin told her. "Harry, we'll expect a full report tomorrow morning."

"Right," Harry nodded.

Sirius leaned over. "I'll tell you Harry, Kingsley is very, very pleased."

Harry frowned. "About that--"

"We'll talk in the morning," Sirius patted his shoulder. "I'll see you then."

Harry nodded and turned to see Hermione downing the potion the nurse had brought her.

When she'd finished, instead of looking over at him, she turned on her side and pulled the covers around her.

"If you're tired perhaps I can come back tomorrow," Harry said softly. "But you know I wouldn't mind staying here with you. I imagine I could turn on the old charm with Pomfrey..."

"It's okay," she interrupted. "I'm fine."

"Oh," Harry said quietly. "Okay."

Hermione shut her eyes, hoping he'd take the hint.

"I'll be back in the morning," he promised.

She didn't answer, only steadied her breathing as if she were already asleep.

Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss on the forehead. After saying a quick goodbye to Ron, Luna and Neville he left the hospital.

"Mr. Weasley," Madam Pomfrey said. "This is a hospital wing, not a hotel room!"

Ron laughed. "Come on, Madam Pomfrey. This is good for me."

"In your bed!" the nurse said sternly.

"You are no fun at all, you know that," Ron called back, reluctantly slipping out of the bed.

"It's okay Ronald," Luna said softly.

"When the Old Bat goes to bed, I'll be back," Ron promised her.

"NO YOU WILL NOT!" Madam Pomfrey called out. "I am not above using restraints on your bed, Mr. Weasley."

"Shite," Ron settled back as Neville sent him a half smile.

"Hermione, are you okay?" Luna asked looking over at her friend.

Hermione opened her eyes. "Yes Luna," she answered. "I'm fine. Are you all right?"

Luna shared a smile with Ron. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Good," Hermione smiled at her. "I'm glad. You know nobody blames you, right?"

Luna nodded. "I'm starting to see that."

"You're okay too?" Hermione asked Ron.

Ron nodded. "I'm ...I'm sorry for how I treated you."

"Me too," Hermione said softly. "Maybe... maybe we can both really try this time."

"We'll have to because of Harry," Ron said smiling at her.

Hermione's mouth sagged a bit. "Right... Harry."

"You're okay aren't you?" Luna asked. "You and Harry?"

"I don't know," she answered. "I don't know about anything right now."

"Never thought I'd hear Hermione Granger say that," Ron teased.

Hermione smiled a bit. "I'm going to sleep..." she turned on her side. "Good night."

"Good night," Luna said softly.

Neville was also already asleep and snoring. "Bloody hell," Ron muttered. "I didn't miss hearing that I tell you."

"What if I told you I snore like that when I sleep?" Luna asked him.

"I wouldn’t believe it," he answered, leaning back against the pillow.

Luna smiled across the room at him. She still felt guilty for what had happened, but it didn't seem as if anyone blamed her for it. "Good night, Ronald."

"Night," Ron smiled at her.

Hermione closed her eyes and tried to go to sleep. The events of not just tonight, but the last few weeks played over and over in her head.

Harry telling her he loved her, then pulling away after they were attacked by Bellatrix and Krum. She may have acted like she understood, but the betrayal she'd felt when he cast her aside still hurt.

And no matter how much she loved him, she didn't want to play this neverending game with him.

"It's over this time," she whispered to herself.

The next morning, Harry checked in with Sirius, Lupin, Dumbledore and Kingsley. It was a long meeting, but he had to go over every detail with Sirius, Lupin, Kingsley and Dumbledore.

"Is there a chance of her getting out this time?" Harry asked. "Last time she wasn't supposed to--"

"No," Sirius told him. "Not this time. She'll die in there, Harry. You can mark my words on that."

"Good," Harry said. "She deserves nothing, not after this."

"You and Miss Granger worked well on this case," Kingsley said. "And your performance on this case convinced us that you should head up that assignment in Vancouver with Sirius."

Harry looked over at Sirius, hoping his godfather wouldn't be too angry about him wanting to stay at Hogwarts now.

Sirius could tell his godson had something on his mind and when the meeting was over, he took him aside.

"You want to stay, don't you?" Sirius asked him.

Harry nodded. "I want to stay with her."

Sirius nodded. "I thought as much."

"I don't want to let you down either," Harry said. "But I love her, Sirius. I've already messed her about a few times and I can't do it again."

"You've not let me down," Sirius reassured him. "And truth be told, you probably should have been here all along."

"I'm almost afraid to tell Kingsley," Harry looked at the older man.

"I'll tell him tomorrow," Sirius told him. "After this all dies down. But for now, you should probably get to the hospital wing."

Harry nodded. "Thanks Sirius."

Sirius gave his godson a hug. "I'm proud of you, Harry James."

"You are?" Harry asked, pleased.

"Absolutely," Sirius said. "You're a great Auror and you more than proved yourself on this case."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "I'll see you soon."

"Give Hermione my best," Sirius called after him.

"I will," Harry said over his shoulder as he hurried through the castle. He couldn't wait to tell Hermione that he was staying.

He arrived in the hospital wing to see Hermione sitting up in bed reading a book. She looked absolutely beautiful and Harry knew he'd made the right decision.

"Hey," he said, grinning at her.

"Hi," Hermione said looking up.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, sitting down on her bed.

"Better," Hermione replied.

"Good," he reached for her hand.

"When do you leave?" Hermione asked in a clipped tone.

"I have good news," Harry didn't notice her tone. "I'm not leaving."

"What?" Hermione asked pulling back her hand.

"I'm staying," Harry answered. "Until the end of the year..."

"I thought you couldn't wait to get out of here," Hermione said quietly. "And what about Vancouver?"

"Sirius is going to go by himself," Harry replied. "Perhaps I'll go after school lets out."

"Right," Hermione said giving him a strange look. "And what brought about this change of heart?"

"You," Harry answered. "I want to stay with you."

Hermione let out a weak laugh. "Now you want to stay with me?"

Harry's eyebrows creased. "I thought you'd be more excited about this. It's what you've wanted... and now it's what I want too."

"You want it now, but what happens a week from now?" Hermione asked him point-blank. "Or a few months down the road when I'm in training and you're in Canada? You going to want me then?"

"Hermione..." Harry said in confusion. "Of course I will."

"I can't do this," Hermione said shaking her head. "You're telling me what I want to hear, but it's a little too late for this, Harry."

"What?" Harry asked. "But Hermione-- I'm just telling you the truth."

"You have broken my heart time and time again," Hermione told him. "It you forever to tell me that you loved me...and then when you finally did...you pushed me away when I needed you most.”

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "I'm not going to do that again."

"Go to Vancouver," Hermione told him. "It's what you want. It's what you really want. It's not me."

"I do too want you!" Harry insisted.

Hermione staved off her tears, not wanting to cry in front of him. "Go."

"No," Harry shook his head.

"A couple of days ago you were convinced that we should be apart," Hermione told him. "And now all of a sudden you want to stay. I know you...I know what you're afraid of. You're scared that anyone close to you is going to die or be taken away from you somehow. I was willing to take that risk."

"I don't think like that anymore," Harry said, shifting closer to her.

"Don't--"

"I love you," Harry said intently.

"I love you too," Hermione said. "But---"

"But what?" Harry asked. "That's all we need..."

Hermione started to protest, but he leaned in and kissed her.

The feel of his mouth on hers was as always, incredible, but she used up what willpower she had to push him away. "No... no. This won't work."

"Hermione, please--"

"I can't do this again!" she pushed back the covers. "Damn it Harry, you played with me too many times. I don't think I can handle it one more time!"

"I've told you that I wouldn't hurt you again," Harry said watching as she got to her feet. "Hermione---"

"Madam Pomfrey already told me I can go," Hermione wouldn't look at him again.

"I can help you back to the Common Room," Harry said.

"No," Hermione said. "I'm fine."

Harry couldn't believe this was happening. This was what she'd wanted or what she said she'd wanted.

"I love you," he told her. "And you can believe whatever you want, but that's the truth.”

"It very may well be," Hermione answered. "But I didn't doubt it before and you still pulled away from me. So it's over, Harry."

Harry was starting to get angry. "Over? Is that what you want?"

"Yes," Hermione said defiantly.

Harry stood up. "If I go now, I won't be back."

Hermione nodded. "Fine."

"Fine," Harry said giving her one last look. "You know I find it ironic that you're the one who told me to take a chance on you and now you can't take one on me."

"I took chances on you!" Hermione slammed her bag down onto the bed. "I took multiple chances on you!"

"And I'm asking you to take one again!" Harry yelled.

Madam Pomfrey came out of her office and glared at him. "Mr. Potter. I would have you keep your voice down!"

"Sorry," Harry said sarcastically. "I was leaving anyway."

"It's for the best," Hermione folded her arms.

"Whatever you say," Harry said before stalking out of the room.

Sirius was beyond shocked to see his godson storm back into Dumbledore's office. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you with Hermione?"

"I've changed my mind," Harry said ignoring his question. "I'm ready to go to Vancouver. The sooner, the better."

"What happened?" Sirius asked.

"She's completely mental," Harry said. "That's what. She says one thing and wants something else. So you know what? We called it a day..."

"Harry," Sirius began.

"We're finished," Harry fumed. "For good. I've got my things and I want to get the hell out of here."

"If you're sure---"

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life." Harry snapped.

Sirius nodded. "Okay then."

Harry turned to look at Dumbledore, who had remained quiet during the exchange. "I'm sorry," he offered the older man. "I appreciate you letting me come in here to work like this."

"I appreciate you solving the case," Dumbledore told him. "There's no need to apologise, Harry. I hope we'll see you again."

Harry only nodded and shook Dumbledore's hand.

As Harry said his goodbyes to Dumbledore, Ginny was making her way to her next class. She had tried in vain to see Neville, but Madam Pomfrey told her that he didn't want to see her.

She turned a corner and started heading down the corridor that led to the dungeons when she heard a few voices.

"We should never have sent you here anyway," a tall blonde woman was saying to Draco. "I told your father that Durmstrang would have been a better fit."

"So we can leave?" Draco asked.

The older woman nodded and put her arm around him. Ginny stepped out of the shadows. "You're going?"

Draco stared at her with a sneer. "As if you care."

"You'll be back after the holidays, though," Ginny said quietly. "Right?"

Narcissa's lip was turned up in disgust. "Aren't you a Weasley?"

"Yes," Ginny said extending her hand. "I'm Ginny Weasley."

"She doesn't matter, Mother," Draco said. "Come on."

"Run along, Jeannie," Narcissa said dismissively.

"Draco, wait," Ginny called after him.

Draco didn't stop.

Ginny stared at him in disbelief. If he'd really loved her, he would have taken up for her in front of his mother. Well, that was just fine, Ginny thought glaring after him. She would work on making it up to Neville. He was the only one who truly cared about her.

Upstairs, Hermione had just settled in her seat for Charms class, between Ron and Lavender.

Ron nudged Hermione. "Harry's leaving. Do you know anything about that?"

Hermione nodded. "I don't want to talk about it," she said quietly.

Ron sighed. "He didn't want to talk about it either.”

"It's a long story," she answered.

"Are you all right?" Lavender asked her sympathetically.

"Not really," Hermione admitted. "But...but I will be. Life goes on, right?"

"Right," Lavender smiled at her. "And I'll be here to help you."

Hermione smiled back at her. "Thank you."

"Ron will help too," Lavender said motioning toward him. "Won't you, Ron?"

"Um... sure." Ron nodded. "If... if you want me to."

"I promise I won't make you eat ice cream with me and do manicures," Hermione said.

"I'd do the ice cream part," Ron answered.

"I'll handle the manicures," Lavender said.

Hermione smiled at the two of them. She knew what they were trying to do and she appreciated it.

"You and Luna are all right then?" she asked him.

"Perfect," Ron said with a grin. "She and her dad are going to spend the holidays with us at the Burrow."

"I'm really happy for you," Hermione told him. "Luna's a nice girl."

"Don't mess it up, Ron," Lavender said. "She's really sweet."

"I won't," Ron looked at his ex girlfriend. "What's going on with you and Seamus?"

"We're just friends," Lavender said. "Besides, he's still hung up on Parv."

Ron nodded. "That's cool."

"We'll see," Lavender said with a grin.

As class began, Hermione's eyes strayed towards the seat Harry had occupied while posing as a student. She truly wanted to believe she had made the right decision.

Harry stepped out onto the front steps of the castle and looked back up at the place that had been his home for the past couple of months.

"Second thoughts?" Sirius asked.

He shook his head. "No," he said in a wooden tone.

"Let's go then," Sirius said. "We have a long journey ahead of us."

"Right," Harry said. "I can't wait to get away from here."

Sirius wasn't so sure about that, but he followed his godson just the same. He had a feeling that Harry Potter and Hermione Granger hadn't seen the last of each other.

Authors’ note: Hogwarts Undercover has come to an end but the story of Hermione and Harry continues in Cayman Undercover. Here is the summary of the new story which we will post on Thursdays.

Cayman Undercover: Sequel to Hogwarts Undercover. Three years after going undercover at Hogwarts together, Harry and Hermione are paired up again for another assignment, this time at a luxury resort on the island of Grand Cayman. Can they find a way to work together without letting those old feelings get in the way? Back in England, Ginny Weasley is doing her best to win back Neville's affections, but Cho Chang also has her sights set on him. Which girl will win his heart?