Immutable Feelings

memoryspell48

Rating: PG13
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 6
Published: 10/05/2007
Last Updated: 06/08/2009
Status: In Progress

The trio return for their last term at Hogwarts shortly after Voldemort's death. Voldemort is gone, but that doesn't mean the semester while be uneventful. The exprience of bringing down Voldemort has changed them, bringing all of them closer together, especially Harry and Hermione. Will the final months prove to be peaceful, or is trouble something Harry can't avoid? *Finally a NEW chapter up!*

1. Returning to Hogwarts


Disclaimer: Harry Potter and the canon storyline are not mine, if they were I would be rich and not writing fan fics ;)

A/N: This is my first fan fic so I would really appreciate thoughtful reviews and constructive criticism. Thanks!

Chapter 1 - Returning to Hogwarts

Christmas break had ended for the Hogwarts students and the train back to school was crowded with students. It had been more than a Christmas break though. The school had been closed down ever since Dumbledore's death. Some of them were excited to be heading back and seeing old friends; others dreaded going back to doing schoolwork. And for some, it was bittersweet because it was nearing the end of their time at Hogwarts. This last group included Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Hermione searched the cars of the Hogwarts Express, looking for her two best friends, Ron and Harry. Usually they managed to find each other before boarding the train at the station, but she had not seen them at all. After a last look through the crowd she'd had to give and board the train alone or risk missing it.

She sighed in exasperation, after checking several cars with no success and having an unpleasant run in with some bothersome young Slytherins. Hermione frowned slightly to herself, hoping that something wasn't wrong, or that Ron and Harry hadn't gotten themselves left behind somehow, like the year Dobby had prevented them from getting on the train.

As she turned around to go check the next car, Hermione finally found one of her friends, as she happened to knock into Ron who standing nearby chatting with a group of Gryffindor girls.

“Ouch, are you blind? Look where you're going!” he grumbled, his hand flying to his shoulder. Ron turned around and smiled awkwardly when he noticed it was Hermione that he was directing his complaints at.

For a while he continued to rub his shoulder where she had bumped into him.

“Um, sorry Ron,” she apologized promptly, not wanting his whining to escalate. Ron could be such a baby she reflected. She decided not to be aggravated with him at the moment though, after it had been a while since she'd seen him and Harry. It felt like longer than a month.

“It took me forever to find you Ron, and I still haven't found Harry. Where are you guys sitting?”

“Just down there,” Ron replied distractedly, gesturing to a compartment a just behind him to the left. He hastily turned around and went back to clumsily flirty with Lavender who was among the group of girls he had been chatting with.

Hermione laughed softly, Ron was certainly no charmer when it came to girls.

“Thanks see you in a bit,” she told him, hurrying off to find Harry, sure that he probably hadn't even heard her, or really cared.

She had worried about Harry a lot over break this time. At least for once he hadn't stayed at school or had to go to stay with the Dursleys for Christmas. However, it hadn't been that long since his final battle with Voldemort. Sometimes she could barely believe that he had survived. She had never doubted her friend's skill as a wizard, but Voldemort was powerful and didn't fight fairly. Hermione shook her head as if it would rid her of these somber thoughts. Hermione tried not to think about how strange and awful it would have been without him.

Hermione slid open the door to the train compartment that Ron had pointed out and a reflexive smile spread across her face upon seeing Harry.

He was sitting in the car near a window, gazing out at the snow-covered landscape, looking a little wearier that the last time she had seen him, but wonderful and familiar all the same.

“Harry!” she cried warmly, her face lighting up.

Harry turned away from the window, he had not heard her come in, and her voice had alerted him to her presence making him jump slightly. When his green eyes met hers he beamed back at her. As he stood to greet her, Hermione ran over and hugged him tightly nearly knocking him off his feet and back into his seat. He stiffened at first in surprise but quickly his body relaxed, and he returned her hug. Hermione closed her eyes; happy to be hugging her best friend who many had felt would not be able to defeat Voldemort without losing his own life. She was sure that even Harry had not expected to live to adulthood. Hermione noted to herself that Harry had grown even taller over the last month and now her head only came up to his shoulder. It also occurred to her that he was now the perfect height for her. She was glad Harry couldn't see her face at the moment.

She didn't observe the Ron had come back while she was busy hugging Harry.

“Merlin's beard Hermione! Must you do that? It hasn't been that long since you saw him. Let the poor guy breath,” Ron commented in annoyance, plunking down on the seat across from Harry. Ron quickly ripped open a chocolate frog package and bit the chocolate amphibian in half.

Hermione and Harry moved apart. Hermione turned around so that she could see Ron and flashed him an irritated look, her dark eyes flashing. Harry sat back down, deciding to ignore Ron's comment.

“Aww, are you jealous? You can have a hug too, little Ronald,” Hermione said in teasing voice.

Ron scowled and blushed slightly. He had his hands in his pocket and shifted around uncomfortably before responding to her teasing question.

“Um, thanks I'm good. I had quite enough hugs from my mum at the station,” he replied, not looking at her as he spoke, his face still red.

Hermione laughed heartily at Ron's expense and took a seat next to Harry who was flipping through a magazine about Quidditch. She dug through the bag she had brought on the train, full of several heavy volumes, for one of her books. For a few minutes they were all serenely silent, the only noise was the rumble of the train and the soft whisper of the pages of Hermione's book as she turned them. She felt very at peace sitting with her friends on the familiar train ride to Hogwarts.

Hermione sighed and looked up, and noticed that Ron was watching her. She frowned at him quizzically.

Ron returned her gaze.

“You do know they're not giving tests on what we studied over break as soon as we get back, Hermione,” Ron remarked obnoxiously.

Hermione who had gone back to her reading looked up from her reading long enough to roll her eyes in exasperation at him.

“Thanks for the useful tip Ronald. Seriously, how many times must I tell you before you get through your thick skull that some people, including me, actually read for fun? And considering you rarely open your books to study even when there is a test I think you're hardly one to be giving advice,” she snapped giving him a hard look.

Ron looked at her like a disobedient puppy that had just been caught destroyed a piece of furniture.

“Yeah, well…” Ron feebly began to argue, his resolve rapidly wilting under Hermione's severe glare.

Harry chuckled softly, shaking his head at the all too familiar banter between his two friends. At one time it had begun to annoy him, but now he felt grateful to be around to hear it.

The candy trolley rolled past the door, and Harry grinned. He jumped up to go get some sweets.

“Either of you want anything?” he asked, turning around at the doorway. Ron shook his head, a sullen look still on his face. He still had chocolate around his mouth from the candy he'd already consumed.

“Thanks, no Harry,” Hermione answered, smiling amiably at him.

“Okay, well, just don't kill each other while I'm gone,” he added, then took off.

Ron, very clearly not over their minor argument from before, stared out the window and ever so often let out a heavy sigh, clearing trying to draw Hermione's attention to his sulking. At first she ignored him, but Ron clearly wasn't going to give up. Hermione closed her book loudly, marking her place with a writing quill from her bag, and, and then looked over at Ron.

An impish look spread across her features, her dark eyes gleaming with merriment; he frowned at her but looked slightly confused as to what she could be thinking.

“So, I noticed you were charming the ladies out there earlier,” she commented offhandedly to him.

Ron's faced turned the same shade as his hair. He clearly hadn't expected that to be what she was going to talk about just then. After to pausing for a few minutes he finally responded.

“Yeah, well I am sorry if I made you jealous Hermione. But things didn't work with us Hermione. We broke up a long time ago, I guess I didn't think it would bother you so much if I decided to move on now,” he told her in a tone she found condescending, reaching over and awkwardly patting her knee.

Hermione opened her mouth but nothing came out for a moment. If she had been a cartoon character steam would have been coming out of her ears and nose/

“Didn't work with us…? You arrogant git! That's hardly the truth of it, I broke up with you. We were clearly meant to be friends only. I was hardly envious of you and those girls. I merely broached the topic because I was trying to see which girl you thought would be foolish to have a go at a relationship with,” Hermione stated in an affronted tone. She crossed her arms, ignoring the book sitting on her lap which fell to the floor of the train with a loud thump.

Harry came back just as Hermione's book feel. He took his seat quickly, his arms filled with candy of all sorts.

Harry looked back and forth between his friends and got the feeling that he better put an end to this argument, what ever it was about, or his friends would be giving each other the cold shoulder for the most of the term.

“Come on guys, we just got back please don't get into a huge fight before we even get to Hogwarts,” Harry interceded, clearly entertained but not wanting the spat to get any worse. He had to admit that he loved listening to Hermione rag on Ron, and he wouldn't have minded finding out what their spat was about.

“She started it,” Ron sniffed petulantly, his face scrunched into a pout.

“Honestly Ronald!” Hermione snapped, in no mood for his childish behavior.

“Stop being such a git Ron,” Harry added, his green eyes giving Ron a desperate look.

Ron scowled at him. “Honestly Harry, how do you know I don't have a right to be angry? It's totally unfair for you to take her side!”

“Ron, I really don't care. I just want you to stop picking a fight with her!”

“Fine Harry,” Ron said in a gruff tone.

Hermione sighed loudly and glared at Ron now that his back was to her. She rolled her eyes before picking up her book from off the floor and trying to turn to her reading again. It was no use though; she was still simmering from the fight with Ron, and decided to read her book later that night. She turned her attention to Harry. Since there greeting she had hardly talked to him yet.

“Harry, I forgot to ask. Was your Christmas all right?” she inquired caringly.

Hermione watched him anxiously wanting to read his response. She didn't notice the dark look that appeared on Ron's face.

Harry looked up and met her eyes.

“Yeah, it was all right I guess. Lupin is still occupied with hunting down what's left of Voldemort's supporters and cleaning up the problems caused before Voldemort died, so I didn't see all that much of him. We had a nice Christmas feast though at least,” Harry replied.

His green eyes were bright with emotion, and he gave her a warm smile, his gratitude for her concern for him was imparted to her unspoken through the expression of gratefulness on his face.

“I am so glad Harry! I bet it was at least good to be away from those atrocious Dursleys.” She felt herself getting angry just thinking about the horrible people with whom Harry had had to live for so many years. There were several other choice words she had in mind to describe the Dursleys, far less civil terms. Hesitantly she placed a consoling hand on his arm. Harry awarded her compassionate touch with an appreciative smile.

“Yeah, it was pretty nice to be able to eat turkey and not have to sit and watch Dudley gnawing the legs the whole bloody meal,” Harry told them, trying to lighten the mood, obviously uncomfortable with talking about the subjects any further.

Hermione and Ron laughed, lightening the somber atmosphere that talking about the Dursleys always brought about.

“Still, it's going to be nice to be back at Hogwart's,” Harry added his voice trailing off in a somewhat melancholy tone; turn his gaze out the train window again.

The Hogwart's station was nearly in sight.

Impulsively Hermione hugged Harry tightly. She was starting to feel such a tangle of emotions, ones that were threatening to overwhelm her.

Ron made a face and a noise of annoyance when she embraced Harry, but Hermione didn't really care this time. Harry was returning her hug and the feeling of his arms around her at that moment was very comforting.

Harry's words about Hogwarts had struck a chord deep inside her. She completely understood how Harry's feelings about Hogwarts. As much as she loved her family and her own home, being at Hogwarts was like a second home, one she loved infinitely as much. Here she had met Harry and Ron, wonderfully friends like she had never know before.

Hesitantly she put her head on Harry's shoulder, partially burying her face. Tears had begun to slide down her cheeks, and she really didn't want Ron to see. To her relief and pleasure, Harry didn't seem to mind. He squeezed her hand gently, a gesture which surprised her slightly.

She heard Ron groan as he watched them.

Hermione blinked back more tears. She looked up and gave Ron a hurt look. Sometimes his lack of compassion and understanding hurt her. He grimaced at her. His eyes were dark and the expression in them was indecipherable. Hermione broke his gaze. She slid away from Harry, and gave him a small sad smile.

She turned to look past Harry out the window, staring out it as he had been earlier. A snow-covered Hogwarts was now in view.

Hermione was still internally and emotionally wrestling with the fact that she still couldn't bring herself to come to grips with the fact that their time at Hogwart's was coming to a close. Even scarier to her, was that she was uncertain about what things the future would bring for the three of them and how their friendship would change after graduation.

-->

2. Curious Revelations


Disclaimer: The canon Harry Potter plot is not mine, nor are the characters

A/N: I don't have a ton of this story written yet, but I was excited by getting so many reviews that I wanted to post another chapter as soon as possible, as it was already written.

Chapter 2 - Curious Revelations

Hermione, Ron, and Harry trudged up the long flight of stone stairs to their Gryffindor dormitories. They separated in the fire lit common room, agreeing to go up to their rooms to unpack a little and then meet for dinner in the Great Hall.

Hermione went up the familiar winding staircase that led to the girls' dormitories. Several girls were already practically finished moving all their things back in, their possessions in various states of organization. Clearly some of the girls had upstairs and unpacked earlier than she and the others had. Hermione noticed that Lavender's things were in various states of unpacking, but she wasn't around. Lavender was no doubt off flirting with her latest love interest. With a huge sigh Hermione gratefully set down her heavy luggage, that she now wished she had thought to put a shrinking spell on, onto her bed and the floor. Crookshanks purred when she let him out of his cage; he always hated having to be confined as she carried him into the castle and up to the rooms. Hermione laughed softly, knowing would be put out with her for a most of the night for having put him in the cage in the first place. He promptly jumped up onto her bed and curled up in a ball on her pillows. She laughed and shook her head, turning her attention to unpacking her bags; she hummed to herself as she folded some shirts.

The sound of someone coming in the room startled her slightly.

Ginny had just come running in. The red head's cheeks were flushed slightly with the exertion of running up the stairs.

“Hey, Ginny!” Hermione said, pleasantly greeting the younger girl.

Hermione smiled warmly, but for some reason felt more like frowning at Ginny. She was good friends with Ron's sister, yet things were a little awkward between them now. For some reason ever since Ginny had been with Harry for a while during their sixth year, Hermione's feelings about Ginny had changed slightly. Hermione adamantly denied to herself that it was anything akin to jealously making her feel this way. Besides, Harry and Ginny hadn't gotten back together. Hermione sighed at turned back to folding her clothes. Maybe it was just weird to have such a close friend date another very close friend.

Ginny, had not seemed to perceive the alteration in Hermione's attitude.

She plopped down on Hermione's bed, clearly in the mood to chat and gossip.

“So, Hermione how was your Christmas?” Ginny asked sociably.

“Fine, I guess,” Hermione answered, feeling a little ill at ease. Ginny started distractedly petting Crookshanks which caused him purr loudly.

“Well, mine was brilliant!” Ginny gushed, her tone hinting that she wanted Hermione to ask her what it was that made so wonderful.

Deciding that no more unpacking was going to get done with Ginny around, Hermione sat on the bed, and turned her attention to their conversation. Hermione sighed softly and told herself not to let whatever stupid emotions were bothering her get to her. After all, Ginny was one of the only true friends other than Ron and Harry that she'd even had.

“Why? Did you get a really good present or something?” Hermione asked dully, unable to think of a better question.

Ginny beamed, her eyes twinkling, but shook her head. Hermione frowned slightly, now actually slightly curious about what was making Ginny so pleased.

“I fell in love!” Ginny cried in a saccharine tone, sounding very much like the heroine of a sappy muggle romance novel.

“What are you talking about? I didn't even know you were dating someone right now,” Hermione demanded.

A serious expression replaced Ginny's glowing one.

“Yes well, we don't exactly think everyone is going to be pleased with the fact that we're together. Hermione, I wanted to tell you first because I thought you'd back me up when I tell Ron.”

Hermione frowned but felt suddenly relieved, whoever Ginny was supposedly in love with wasn't Harry. When Ginny had been dating him Ron had given them his grudging consent to their relationship.

“I can't promise anything yet, but seriously who are you talking about? It would help to know that,” Hermione urged, gently pressing Ginny for more information.

Ginny's cheeks colored, making her freckles stand out.

“Well you see Draco and I are together.”

Hermione gave a sharp gasp of surprise and her eyes opened so wide at Ginny's revelation that she felt like they threatened to pop out of their sockets. Hermione stared wordlessly at Ginny for a few moments, not remembering the last time she had been more stunned by something. The thought actually made her feel slightly ill.

“Hermione?” Ginny inquired, looking at Hermione in concern. For a moment she was afraid that Hermione was going to pass out or something.

Hermione took a deep breathe, and smiled weakly, wanting to know more. Her curiosity had now overcome the element of complete shock, and to be honest, disgust.

“Well, Ginny, I feel that a fair question would be…why Malfoy?!?!?”

Ginny cracked a small smile.

“This is going to sound irrational to you I suppose, but he really is a good chap. He isn't the same person that we all used to hate. Malfoy has come to see how wrong his father's beliefs were after what has been going on in the past couple of years, and he has changed so much, I swear!”

Hermione gave Ginny a disbelieving look, clearly not believing in the change until she had some proof.

“You sound convinced, but I'm certainly not. Pardon the cliché but in this case I won't believe it until I see it. After all, love could be clouding your mind. I certainly don't see any difference in Malfoy. Are you sure he's suddenly changed? I mean, he still seemed like scum last time I saw him. Wait a minute; did he give you some potion or something?” Hermione eye's widened in horror. Students were defiantly not supposed to uses potions on each other, although Malfoy often felt that he was above the rules.

Hermione stared at Ginny closely, her brown eyes scrutinizing Ginny carefully to see if there were any discernable signs of a spell or strange potion affecting her.

Ginny looked exasperated for a moment, but then bit her lip as if holding back a giggle finding humor in Hermione's worrying.

“I figured you would react like this to our relationship. I know it might not seem to people who don't know him, like I do that Draco has changed.” Ginny paused for a moment, her cheeks flushing and her eyes sparkling at the thought of her boyfriend.

Hermione grimaced, slightly disgusted, but tried not to let Ginny notice and fighting her urge to say exactly what she thought of Ginny's new romance.

“Anyway,” Ginny continued, “Malfoy feels like it would be strange to act completely different in public right away. He thinks people will be more inclined to believe that he's actually changed if his behavior changes gradually,” Ginny argued.

She looked at Hermione, watching her with an anxious face.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at this explanation, but decided that it was best to try to support her friend.

“Okay, now that I know about you and Malfoy, I suppose you want me to help you break this, um…exciting news to Ron.” Hermione looked less than thrilled.

Ginny's expression brightened considerably. She moved closer to Hermione on the bed and threw her arms around the older girl.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” she squealed.

Hermione smiled tolerantly.

“I'll help, but if Ron tries to kill you or Malfoy, I can't be responsible,” Hermione warned her in teasing tone.

Ginny was beaming again.

“It will be so great, once I don't have to hide that we're together anymore from people Hermione! It's so great to be in love, and it's so hard to hide it,” Ginny gushed to her, lying on her back with a dreamy expression on her face.

Hermione sighed and looked down at her hands for a moment. She didn't exactly love the idea of Ginny dating Malfoy, but she had discovered since their conversation began that she had been more and more happy about the fact that it wasn't Harry Ginny was in love with or getting back together with. She frowned and shook her head, as if trying to physically rid herself of the thought.

“Well Ginny. Ron and Harry are expecting me to meet them downstairs soon. I guess we should get this over with huh?” Hermione told her decisively.

Ginny sat up and nodded solemnly.

The two girls went down the stairs to the common room together, both battling their own emotions.

*********

Hermione and Ginny sat next to each other at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall across from Ron and Harry. Hermione had noticed Ginny and Malfoy exchanged worried looks when the group of them had entered the Great Hall. Ginny must have let him know that she was going to tell Ron today, so that Draco would have a chance to take cover if Ron got too angry. Hermione looked across the table at Ron, who was oblivious to the fact that anything was going on. She glanced over at Harry too, wondering for a moment how he was going to react to this news. After all, not only did Harry hate Draco, he had also once dated Ginny. Perhaps she watched Harry for a little too long because she suddenly realized he was staring back at her, his green eyes sparkling inquisitively. Hermione felt her face flush and she looked down at her plate swiftly.

The Great Hall was not even half-full yet, Ron had insisted on getting their early, as he did not want to risk missing his fair share of food. Groups of people were still wandering in. Word seemed to have gotten around that Harry was completely free and not going to get back together with Ginny because several girls who passed the table flirted shamelessly with him. Hermione stabbed a piece of meat with particular vigor as a dark haired Hufflepuff girl she didn't recognize winked shamelessly at Harry. He had ignored most of the girls, but this one he smiled politely at. Hermione tried to ignore the fact that she suddenly felt the urge to put a disfiguring hex on the girl.

Hermione sighed and turned her attention to thinking about helping Ginny with Ron.

After moving around the food on her plate for a few minutes, she took a deep breath and looked over at Ginny. Hermione smiled sympathetically when she saw how pale and nervous Ginny looked. Ginny's plate of food hadn't been touched.

Ginny returned Hermione's smile weakly, but nodded decisively. She was ready to get this over with.

Hermione cleared her throat loudly.

“Ron, Ginny has something she wants to tell you,” Hermione told Ron trying to sound casual about the whole thing.

Ron stopped eating and looked, mumbling through a mouth full of food, “What did you do this time Ginny?” He gave her a wary look.

Ginny stuck out her tongue at him in annoyance at her brother's tendency to always find her at fault some how. Hermione elbowed her friend gently. It wasn't the best idea to get Ron agitated before telling him something that was truly going to outrage him.

Harry discontinued his meal too for the moment, fascinated what was going on between Ron and his sister. He looked back and forth from Hermione to Ginny clearly sensing that the two of them were in on whatever was going on for a reason.

“Well, Ron, my very favorite brother,” she began, giving him a fawning smile, “I um…I uh…I have a new boyfriend. And I thought you would want to know.”

Ron looked at Ginny like she'd just sprouted a pair of wings and an extra eye. “Since when do you tell me about the blokes you're dating? When I happen to ask you, you always threaten to hex me and tell me that it's absolutely none of my business. What are you playing at Ginny?”

He narrowed his eyes and gazed at her warily.

Ginny gave Hermione an imploring look. Hermione grimaced, knowing why Ginny had enlisted her help. Ron wasn't always the easiest person to talk about certain things, especially when he was angry or upset.

“What Ginny is trying to say Ronald, is that she wants you to know that she's with someone new so you aren't shocked if you happen to see them together,” Hermione told him firmly.

“Well who is it then? Not Harry again I hope? I don't think I could take it.”

Hermione felt her heart stop even though she knew it wasn't Harry that Ginny was dating. The thought of it still upset her, as ridiculous as that was.

Ginny and Harry frowned in unison in response to Ron's blunt, rather rude question. They had gotten back together for a short time but they'd discovered that there really wasn't much there.

“Of course we're not dating again,” Harry snapped promptly, his green eyes darkening. Harry and Hermione looked at each other at that exact moment. Hermione felt a bizarre sensation course through her body as their eyes met. The room felt suddenly warm. Ginny jabbed Hermione in the ribs, startlingly her. Hermione gave a small sigh of annoyance, but managed to smile apologetically at Ginny.

“Go on, tell him,” Hermione whispered to her forcefully.

Ron was staring glumly at the pair of them, sensing that ever they were about to tell him was not some exciting news.

“Well, Ron. I am with Draco Malfoy now,” Ginny told him hastily, spitting out the words so that she wouldn't loose her nerve halfway through.

Harry gave her a look like she had lost her mind, his green eyes wide. Ron looked like he was going to be exceedingly ill, his face turning a dark shade of red as did his ears, blending with his hair. Ron was eerily silent for a few moments, just staring at his sister in incredulity and dismay. His eyes were so wide that Hermione thought they might fall out of his face.

“Ron?” Ginny queried fretfully, she was more discomforted by Ron's silence than she would have been by one of his immediate outbursts. Harry gave his friend a steadying pat on the back looking pretty taken aback himself.

Still saying nothing, Ron gave Ginny a dark look, opening his mouth helpless as though to speak.

“I am going to strangle the foul git and punched the simpering smirk off his ruddy face!” Ron finally managed to get out, speaking in a harsh tone, his nostrils flaring. “Nah, just hex him,” Harry chimed in fiercely. Ron had gotten up half way in his seat as though he was about to dash off to go kill Malfoy.

Ginny rolled her eyes at her brother's typical response and glared at Harry for siding with Ron though she had not expected him to do otherwise. However, she seemed relieved by her brother's eventual outburst, it was better than the uncharacteristic silence. He could have acted much worse considering the violent outburst she had been expecting out of him.

“Ron, just give him a chance. He really has changed,” Ginny entreated.

“Into a bloody ferret I hope. Moody had the right idea,” Ron replied sourly.

Harry chuckled as he remembered Malfoy as ferret crawling down one of his slimy friends pants fourth year.

Ginny shot Harry a nasty look. Hermione suppressed a giggle and exchanged an amused look with Harry.

“Ron, I was taken aback when she told me too, but you should at least trust your sister's judgment. I don't fully believe that he's changed either, but please support your sister,” Hermione interceded.

Ron looked at both girls crossly.

“Oh, come on Hermione. If you're the brightest witch of your age like everyone says, you should see what a foul idea it for Ginny to get involved with that rotten prat.”

“Fine let that foul boy break your heart Ginny. I am warning you, if he does something bizarre, like giving you some of Voldemort's old junk, that his dad loves to collect, as your Christmas present don't come crying to me. Oh, and please never let me catch you two snogging, my stomach couldn't take it,” Ron finally concluded, his face looking green for a moment at the thought. Harry had remained fairly silent but looked less than pleased.

Ginny beamed about that fact that her brother had given the nearest thing to his consent for her to date Malfoy. She planted a wet kiss on her brother's cheek, causing him to protest and complain loudly, and then immediately ran over to the Slytherin table. Hermione saw Malfoy smile as he saw Ginny coming over and the pair of them rapidly began chatting, both their faces lighting up.

“Hey wait!” Ron protested, but quickly gave up seeing it was no use.

Hermione turned back to her dinner, and saw that Ron was still scowling. She shook her head, knowing it was too soon for him to be happy for Ginny.

“Why did you and Ginny have to bloody go and break up?” Ron grumbled to Harry after watching his sister run off to talk with her new boyfriend, wiping her kiss of his cheek.

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his seat and stared evasively at his plate of mostly uneaten food. Hermione's gaze flew to his face of their own accord, intensely curious about his reaction to Ron's uncomfortable question. She didn't know if Harry still felt anything for Ginny or not. She noticed how handsome her looked even he was upset.

“Sometimes things don't work out Ron,” Harry answered tersely.

Ron frowned and continued to sulk. He shoved a fork full of food into his mouth, chewing loudly.

Harry's green eyes flicked up from his plate and caught Hermione's, who was still watching him. Instead of looking away Hermione held his gaze, trying to read his emotions. This time Harry reddened slightly and broke their stare.

Ron looked up at them both unaware to the fact that anything was going on. He gone back to eating his dinner with gusto shortly after Ginny had taken off. Hermione smirked.

Nothing seemed to ever affect Ron's appetite, she marveled at the fact that no matter how upset he was about something, it rarely kept him from eating twice as much as anyone else.

Some things would never change.

-->

3. Old Grudges


Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter stories are not mine…I only wish

A/N: Thank you all so much for your reviews, I appreciate them so much! Please keep reviewing ;) I have a few more chapters of this story written, so I will try to update regularly. Well, I'm done rambling. Enjoy the chapter

Chapter 3 - Old Grudges

Harry and Ron headed back up to the dormitories alone; Hermione had run off to the library and to do some other unknown errands.

“Can you believe my little sister's with that foul prat Harry?” Ron bemoaned. He hadn't stopped talking about the subject of Ginny's new boyfriend since his sister had given him the news at dinner.

“It'll be okay mate, it won't take long for him to do something really rotten to make her realize he hasn't changed a bit,” Harry said encouragingly, unconsciously frowning as a result of thinking about Malfoy.

“Too bad Aragog's dead. He might have fancied having Malfoy for lunch,” Ron remarked in amusement, picturing Malfoy's face seeing the giant spider. A malicious grin crept on his face.

“There are plenty of horrible creatures out in the magical world that could do just the job. Buckbeak tried, too bad he only nicked him,” Harry replied, joining in the amusing topic of ways to maim or kill Malfoy.

Ron chuckled.

“I still hate this,” Ron grumbled miserably, a sour expression on his face.

“They'll split up soon enough. People our age don't tend to stay together for long,” Harry told him understandingly.

“Yeah, like me and Hermione,” Ron muttered, the air of gloom around their conversation increasing. Harry gave Ron a mystified look, surprised by the sudden turn in the conversation. Ron and Hermione had broken up not long after Voldemort's death, but Harry had never really felt completely comfortable asking either of his friends about such a sore topic, at least not while it was their break-up was fairly recent.

He glanced at Ron for a moment, and then asked tentatively, “So, why did you guys break up?” His green eyes flashed inquisitively.

A pained expression appeared on Ron's face.

“Hermione broke up with me actually. One day, not long after Voldemort died, we got into a really big argument, not so unusual for us I suppose, and she just said `I'm done! We're done!' gave no other explanation and stormed off.”

Harry gave him a puzzled frown; he'd kind of assumed that that they had mutually agreed to break things off.

“Well, the argument had to be about something that upset her, girls are bloody confusing. For Hermione to act like that seems strange. There is always some carefully thought out reasoning behind most things she does,” Harry told him reflectively.

Ron shook his head. “I still don't know. Hermione was super stressed around that time; you know how she gets when she's like that. Actually, I must admit she was bloody terrifying on that day she broke up with me,” Ron frowned and paused before adding, “We're still friends and all, obviously, but she won't even talk about it with me, even now.”

“Sorry, Ron,” Harry said, feeling guilty for not feeling worse about his two best friends breaking up.

“Eh, forget it. I guess we had to give it go, and get it out of our systems,” Ron replied, shrugging.

They walked back the rest of the way in relative silence. Harry was left to wonder what exactly Hermione's reasons were for breaking up with Ron, and why she still wouldn't tell him. He didn't want to press Ron further though. Both of them had a lot on their minds, and besides that classes were beginning again the next day.

*********

Harry, Ron, and Hermione filed into the classroom along with their Gryffindor and Slytherin classmates. The familiar stench of the dungeon, where the class was held, and old potions filled their nostrils, as they took a seat towards the center of the room. Ron glared at Malfoy who was sitting in front.

“Who do you think will take Snape's place?” whispered Neville nervously who was sitting nearby. He was visibly twitching.

Ron and Harry exchanged amused looks, knowing Neville's fear of Snape.

“It could still be Snape. After all, Professor McGonagall, never officially announced that a new staff member, nor did she mention that Professor Snape was leaving,” Hermione replied matter-of-factly.

Harry made a hissing sort of noise in anger. “Hermione, there's not way that they'd even let that murdering coward teach here again. I don't care if the Order and the Ministry of Magic never found him guilty of being in league with Voldemort.”

Hermione opened her mouth to reply, clearly annoyed about being contradicted. Before she could utter a word though, the door flew open and Snape marched into the classroom looking as sullen and surly as ever.

“You can all dispense with the greeting and the fawning pleasure about my return as your Potions master. If annoy says a word about the dark lord, they can be sure to loose numerous house point,” Snape proclaimed as he made his way to the front of the room.

Hermione smiled triumphantly for a moment about being right, but the pleasure was short-lived. Her face fell when she looked over at Harry. His face was devoid of color, making his emerald eyes, which were narrowed in anger, stand out.

Snape also noticed Harry's reaction.

“Thank for being so pleased to see me Potter, it's a rare honor to have someone look at you as though they were a sick animal.” As usual, Snape uttered Harry's names as though he were spitting out poison. Harry stood abruptly, knocking his stool to the floor causing a deafening crash.

The class jumped at the noise.

“You'd have to be mental to be happy to see Snape,” Ron muttered with a chuckle, softly enough so that Snape couldn't hear him but Harry and Hermione could.

Hermione elbowed him, not wanting him to feed Harry's anger in any way.

“Harry, sit down,” Hermione whispered sharply, tugging on his robes.

“50 points each from Gryffindor for disrupting my class, Miss Granger…Potter.”

Hermione frowned. “Professor, that's hardly fair,” she protested, her expression defiant.

“Hermione, you should know by now that our slimy excuse for a professor is never fair,” Harry told her, looking brazenly at Snape as he spoke.

If it was possible, Snape's expression became even sourer. “Just because you're the new savior of the Wizarding world Potter, doesn't give you're the permission to blatantly disrespect your superiors,” Snape snapped, his dark eyes locked with Harry's in a look of mutual revulsion.

“I can talk to someone who belongs in Azkaban however I like,” Harry replied boldly, his anger completely overshadowing his better judgment.

Hermione gasped. Ron looked a bit green, kind of like he did when he saw a spider. Only Harry would dare to mention such a forbidden topic with Snape.

“Harry, that's enough!” Hermione said desperately.

Snape turned his gaze to her for moment, his dark eyes unfathomable.

“You'd do best to list to your insufferable girlfriend, who seems to be as nearly as arrogant as you at times, if that's possible. You've already bought yourself weeks of detention,” Snape admonished Harry coldly.

Hermione felt the hear rise into her face when Snape referred to her as Harry's girlfriend. Ron looked at her quizzically, appearing slightly hurt as thought there was something she and Harry had failed to tell him.

Harry stared Snape down with quiet disgust. Slowly he sat back down. Snape smirked.

“Now that the Boy-Who-Saved-the-World-and-Lived has finished interrupting us as usual, perhaps we can actually continue with class.

Hermione elbowed Harry to keep him from being baited by Snape's comment.

Harry's anger did not lessen as class progressed, and Ron and Hermione had to run to catch up with him after class ended. Harry left the room so fast that he seemed to have Apparated out of the room.

“Harry! Wait up mate!” Ron shouted breathlessly. Hermione followed closely behind, weighed down by the extra books she had with her.

Harry slowed down slightly, muttering angrily to himself. Hermione and Ron exchanged nervous glances.

“Harry, I know you hate Snape, and for good reason, but your just hurting yourself by talking to him like that,” Hermione told him wisely.

“I DON'T BLOODY CARE!!! THAT FOUL GIT KILLED DUMBLEDORE, AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE!” Harry shouted his expression a combination of agony and rage.

Hermione wilted slightly under his intense outburst. “I know Harry, but showing Snape how much he hurts you just gives him pleasure,” she said softly. Hesitantly she put her hands on his shoulder. The muscles in his body were tense and coiled up in rage. He relaxed slightly as result of her gentle touch.

“She's right you know,” Ron added, looking worriedly back and forth between Harry and Hermione.

Harry sighed, his anger seemingly spent for the moment.

“Besides,” Hermione added, her courage building from Harry's momentary silence, “you need to do well in Potions, so that you can get a good grade on your N.E.W.T.s and become an Auror.”

“Yeah, but I am going to fail Potions,” Harry said glumly.

“No, no, you won't,” Hermione insisted.

“You're mental Hermione. Snape will fail Harry just because he hates him,” Ron chimed in, unhelpfully.

Hermione rolled her eyes, annoyed that once again something so painfully obvious was escaping her friends.

“Seriously, you two, Professor Snape can't fail Harry if he makes all his potions perfectly. McGonagall knows how he feels about Harry, and she would not let him get away with that.”

“But, Hermione, Harry always ruins half his potions,” Ron said. “Sorry Harry,” he added, looking apologetically over at his friend.

“It's only because Snape's bloody hovering over me the whole time in class,” Harry exclaimed defensively, his green eyes flashing.

“Don't worry Harry, you'll pass Potions,” Hermione said, sounding almost prophetic, as though she had the Sight. She reached over and squeezed his hand reassuringly.

Ron and Harry gave each other puzzled looks, but didn't protest. Hermione was almost always right.

-->

4. The Most Oblivious Witch of Her Age


Disclaimer: Harry Potter is not mine…if the canon stories were I would already know how the last book ends.

A/N: Thanks again for the reviews. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. It's a bit long, but that's a good thing right? I just wanted to warn you that I am a bit behind on this story, so if it's more than a couple of days before I have another chapter up that why. Happy reading ;)

Chapter 4 - The Most Oblivious Witch of Her Age

So far seventh year had been more difficult and stressful than any of them had expected. Even Hermione felt that sometimes it seemed like a bit much, though she hardly minded the extra work. All the teachers were working them harder than ever, trying to get them read for their N.E.W.T.s and graduation. Hermione grew increasingly stressed out. Without fail she could almost always be found in the library or studying in the Gryffindor common during any moment of spare time she had through the day, even on weekend. She was determined to score as high as possible on her tests and wanted to give herself no reason to feel that anything she didn't know on the N.E.W.T.s would not be from lack of studying.

Ron and Harry didn't seem nearly as concerned with their studies, as always, putting everything off until last minute. Hermione often reminded them, especially Harry, that if they wanted their job of choice after leaving Hogwarts that they had better not play away the year. Harry half listened sometimes, but Ron always rolled his eyes at her and carried on as usual, using the excuse that he needed to play Quidditch or would resort to other diversions to get out of studying. Hermione was especially annoyed about Harry's indifference though, especially with Snape back as the potions Professor. She still was unsure of why they had brought him back as a teacher.

Harry and Ron came in the one particularly rainy afternoon, after having attempted to practice some Quidditch, even though they had mounds of homework yet to be touched, but were unable to get a decent game in due to the awful weather. As usual Hermione was curled up in one her favorites place to study in front of the fireplace in the common room. Harry and Ron were both soaking wet, dripping water all over the floor of the as the entered. Hermione looked up from her pile of books and rolls of parchment as they walked in, their shoes making distracting squelching noises.

“The fat lady is in a foul mood today. She didn't have to tell us we looked like wet vermin,” Ron was complaining to Harry, rather loudly.

“Honestly you two, you should have listened to me and stayed inside to study. I remind you everyday how close N.E.W.T.s get are but you never pay me any mind,” Hermione chided them, her face scrunched into a frown. Crookshanks who was curled up next to her seemed to purr in agreement as she absentmindedly stroked him.

“Hermione, term just started, you act like they're next week. At least we were trying to have some fun. All you've done is waste your last term with your nose stuck in those ruddy books. You're going to transfigure into one by accident one day,” Ron said indignantly.

Hermione's dark eyes flashed in exasperation. “You'll be so sorry come the end of the term, you'll come to me begging me to help you study and write all the essays that you put off,” she retorted knowingly. Her hair seemed to bristle in annoyance.

Ron stuck his tongue out at her when she looked away for a moment and then made a sour face.

“She's probably right Ron,” Harry told him, looking slightly remorseful for not having taken Hermione's advice either thus far, but not wanting to admit that he had been almost as bad as Ron in dodging his work.

Hermione flashed Harry a suspicious glance, surprised by his comment. He tended to side with Ron on things like homework.

Ron looked slightly hurt that this time Harry wasn't taking his side, but shrugged nonchalantly and took off upstairs without another word to shower and change.

Harry took off one wet layer of clothing in front of the warm fireplace but didn't head up with Ron. Instead he sat in front of the fire and stared into in broodingly. Hermione forgetting her books watched him, noticing how the firelight flickered light across his features, giving his green eyes an ethereal appearance. It made her stomach flip. Why had she never noticed how handsome her best friend was? Because that's what he is, just your best friend, nothing more, and that's how it should be, she told herself. Hermione sighed softly. Harry looked away from the fire, his daze interrupted by the noise. Hermione quickly glanced back down at her book, pretending to be deep in her studies, although it didn't take much pretending.

“Hermione,” Harry said after a moment, his tone hesitant.

Hermione looked up, her heart hammering at the sound of Harry's voice. “Hmmm?” she answered distractedly.

His green eyes were focused on her, their emerald depths inscrutable to her at the moment.

“Do you think you could help me study for potions later? It's my worst subject, and I really need to get high marks in potions. I need to give Snape absolutely no reason to fail me.”

He looked sheepish for a moment. “I know you have been warning me and Ron all along not to put things off, but I guess I still haven't learned to listen to you. You know you're annoyingly right about most everything.” He grinned ruefully at her.

Hermione smiled warmly at her best friend, not feeling much like scolding Harry at the moment, as he had expected her to do, and as she would have done a few minutes earlier. “Of course I can go over some things with you Harry. I told I would help you, so that Snape would have to be fair. You're really not that awful at Potions. I think having a teacher for the past six years who didn't motivate you and whom you loathed didn't really make you want to apply yourself, and his return certainly hasn't improved matters,” she told him, biting the tip of her writing quill thoughtfully.

“Snape…that rotten blighter, I still can't believe that McGonagall is letting him stay on as the Potions professor,” Harry grumbled, hissing their former Potions teacher's name.

Hermione gave him a weak, but sympathetic smile. She understood the depth for Harry's abhorrence of Snape. She had yet to figure why Snape was back either, he had never been proved guilty of anything in the end, even Dumbledore's murder, but it still didn't seem logical to her that he was back.

“So any way, I'll meet you down here tonight after dinner?” she asked quickly, trying to distract him. She didn't want Harry to start brooding about Snape.

“Um, yeah that sounds fine. I obviously can't have Quidditch practice tonight with the team,” he replied looking out the rain splattered window pane. His expression darkened.

It took a huge amount of effort for Hermione not to roll her eyes at him. She didn't understand what about the game he and Ron loved so much never would. Harry jumped to his feet, now going to get changed as Ron had.

“See you at dinner!” he said cheerfully as he raced up the stairs to the boys' room. Hermione leaned forward resting her chin on her hands as she looked into the leaping flames. You really have to get your emotions under control Granger. He is your friend. You already saw how things worked out last time you got involved with a best friend. Hermione told herself. She groaned loudly and leaned back in her seat, startling Crookshanks. Why couldn't her friends look more like Crabbe and Goyle? It would make things like this so much easier.

******************************************************************************************

Hermione raced upstairs after dinner to grab some extra books she had on Potions that she thought might help her and Harry while they were studying. After looking in several places, she let out a sigh of frustration when she couldn't find the last book that she wanted. Lavender and Ginny were in the room, watching her curiously.

“What's the rush Hermione? The library isn't going to close for a quite a few hours,” Ginny assured her in a tone Hermione found to be somewhat cloying.

Hermione smiled in triumph when she finally found the hefty leather-bound volume that had been eluding her; she picked it up and smiled. It had been right there the whole time, under a small pile of clothing. Hermione looked up and frowned at Lavender who had let out a barely suppressed giggle.

“What's so funny Lavender?” Hermione demanded getting to her feet, still holding the weighty book.

“You're as flighty and excited as if you were about to go out on a date, but you're clearly only going off to study. I just think that it's kind of amusing that books excite you more than boys. But then again, I think boys are more excited by books than they are by you,” Lavender replied maliciously.

Hermione's eyes locked with Lavender's. Hermione's brown eyes flashed with anger and her cheeks reddened in mortification. Hermione had half a mind to chuck the book she had in her arms at Lavender and then put a disfiguring hex on her. Her free hand clenched into a fist. She was breathless with anger.

“Lavender!” Ginny gasped, her eyes widening in horror. “How can you say something like that to her? I'd take it back if I were you!” Ginny's freckles stood out prominently on her face, which was now pale with rage. Hermione saw Ginny's hand got to where her wand was tucked in her robes.

“What? I am just telling the truth,” Lavender sniffed, looking down nonchalantly at her nails and then uninterestedly twirling a lock of her hair. When Lavender noticed that Ginny's hand was on her wand she looked a little frightened.

Ginny sneered at her.

Hermione, encouraged by Ginny's support, finally calmed herself down enough to be able speak though her hand was now clutched tightly around her wand.

“The truth Lavender is that you are a shallow and petty girl with less intelligence than a slug. Although, it is rather cruel to insult slugs like that. If you actually cared about something other than having a boy to snog with at any hour of the day, I might take you a bit more seriously, you foul girl,” Hermione hissed, feeling the heat of anger rising into her face. The room seemed static with magic energy given off by Hermione's fury.

Lavender looked entirely aghast. “Well, there's no need to get that nasty. I think I am going to get out of here, and leave Hermione and her books alone together. After all they're all she'll ever have,” she spluttered.

Hermione laughed grimly. Lavender sauntered out of the room, her cheeks stained red with anger. She looked over her shoulder one last time though, probably fearing that one of the two girls would try to hex her while her back was turned.

As soon as Lavender left the room Hermione had to blink back tears, and wiped the few that escaped off furiously with the sleeve of her robes. Ginny jumped up from the bed ran over and threw her arms around Hermione, in a comforting gesture.

“Ignore everything that foul girl says Hermione. She is still bitter about you and Ron. The idiot thinks you stole Ron from her, and is jealous in general of how close you are to Ron and Harry,” Ginny told her kindly. “Besides, she's a complete slut, and I wish that I had put a Bat-Bogey Hex on her,” Ginny added with a wicked grin.

Hermione managed a weak smile and soft laugh. “Thanks Ginny.”

Ginny shook her head. “No thanks needed Hermione. We're friends aren't we? As corny as this may sound, friends back each other up. You really helped me deal with Ron and the Malfoy thing at the beginning of term. I was just watching out for a friend.”

Hermione smiled at Ginny, feeling suddenly very guilty for the ill feelings she had harbored for the younger girl for a time after Ginny and Harry had dated.

Hermione sighed.

“Well, I'll see you later Ginny. I have to go, or Harry will think I forgot him.”

“Harry? So that's why you were so eager to run off and study,” Ginny commented giving Hermione a discerning glance that Hermione hardly liked. Ginny's eyes sparkled inquisitively, as she lay on the bed her face propped in her hands, watching Hermione intently.

Hermione was annoyed as she felt her face flush red.

“Oh, Ginny, it's not like that. You're just trying to create a drama and romance out of nothing. Besides Harry only looks at me like one of the guys, in fact sometimes I am not even sure that he remembers I'm a girl. There's no chance of us being anything more than friends,” Hermione replied, trying to convince herself and Ginny of what she was saying.

Ginny smiled perceptively. “Don't worry Hermione; I'll help you when you have to tell Ron that you and Harry are together.”

“Ginny, do be serious,” Hermione exclaimed in irritation. Hermione rolled her eyes at Ginny and took off downstairs to the common room before Ginny could comment further on what was going on with her and Harry.

She was glad that Ginny had been there. It had given her a chance to calm down and cool off, and it had prevented her from hexing Lavender. Harry would have sensed something was up if she had some down immediately after her confrontation with Lavender. Taking a deep breath she attempted to smooth down her out of control curls before taking the last few stairs down.

Harry was sitting on one of the couches in front of the fireplace pouring over his Potions book, his face scrunched into a look of intense concentration. He looked up at the sound of Hermione's footsteps on the bottom of the stairs.

“Hermione there you are!” he greeted her, looking relieved to see her. Perhaps he'd thought that she had changed her mind, or been too annoyed with him for putting things off to help him.

“Sorry that I left you alone with your Potions for so long. I hade trouble finding one of my books,” Hermione said apologetically, taking a seat next to Harry. Her arm brushed against Harry's and her nerves sent a tingling sensation coursing through her body. She attempted to ignore body's response and focus only on studying with Harry, the activity that came the most easily to her.

They went over the easiest mistakes to make when preparing ingredients for some of the more complex potions, and the reasons behind why the ingredients for certain potions were meant to be added in the exact order with no modifications.

Harry looked up from his copy of Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage that they had used 6th year, this time he wasn't using the Half-Blood Prince's copy.

“Hermione,” Harry began lowering his voice and looking around for a moment to see if anyone was listening, “I would never say this in front of Ron, but I really am starting to worry about the N.E.W.T.s, and I am kind of wishing I had done some studying before now…especially potions.” Harry shifted in his seat uncomfortably. He had a look on his face similar to the one he'd had when he drank Polyjuice potion.

Hermione frowned for a moment, biting her lip to keep herself from saying what she wanted to upon first hearing that Harry seemed to have done no studying.

“I am sorely tempted to say I told you that you'd be sorry. You seem to always get lucky though Harry. When you need to pull something off you always manage to,” Hermione told him.

“And,” she added, “Remember what Slughorn told you last year. Your mum had a gift for potions, maybe you have a hidden potential for them yet.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Harry grumbled, looking down at the page describing a particularly long and complex potion.

“Well, stewing about it won't help you get higher marks, so all you can do is use the time you have left well,” Hermione stated decisively. Harry frowned but nodded in reluctant agreement.

Hermione impatiently flipped through a potions book to look for an intricate but important potion that would surely be on the test. She made a soft ah ha noise, upon finding the Draught of Peace spell. It would likely be on the N.E.W.T.s in some form.

Harry leaned over, curious to see what she was looking at that had made her so excited. Hermione was somewhat hunched over her book and Harry casually rested his chin on her shoulder as he studied the same page. Far from annoyed by the unexpected, but welcome physical contact, she took her time looking over the description of the potion. She could feel Harry's warm breath on her cheek. It made her feel dizzy in a good way.

“Hermione, why did you and Ron break up?” Harry asked suddenly and rather bluntly. Hermione frowned slightly, completely taken aback by Harry's question. It had been one of the last things she had expected him to ask at the moment.

Before she could even begin to answer him, the portrait at the entrance went flying open, several people coming in the room laughing and talking. Harry and Hermione jumped at the noise. Ron was among the crowd that came into the common room.

He looked sullenly at Harry and Hermione.

“What are you two doing?”

“We're studying Ronald. I am not sure if you remember what that is,” Hermione snapped.

“I'm not dense. I know you're studying, I just don't see why you had to rook poor Harry into doing it,” Ronald muttered sullenly.

Hermione rolled her eyes and slammed one of the books on her lap shut with a huff.

Harry gave his friend a sympathetic look.

“It's fine Ron. I saw her studying down here and asked if she would quickly answer a question I had about Potions. Hermione did get a little long-winded in explaining my question, but it's no reason to argue with her,” Harry explained quickly.

Hermione looked over at him, not completely sure why, but something about his explanation to Ron hurt her. It seemed almost as if he didn't want to admit that he'd wanted to study with her.

“Ah, that's okay Harry. As long as she didn't force you to study,” Ron replied, shuddering as though that would have been a true horror.

Harry chuckled at his exaggerated response.

“Mind if I borrow Harry Hermione? I have some questions about the next Quidditch match,” Ron said, turning his attention back to her.

“That's just fine. You can have him the rest of the night if you want,” Hermione replied, her tone a little harsher than she'd meant it to be.

“What's the matter Hermione?” Harry asked looking puzzled.

“Um, well I have to go anyway,” she told Ron and Harry, ignoring Harry's question. Hermione grabbed the books nearest to her, taking off without another word climbing the stairs towards the girls' dormitories.

“Hermione, where are you going?” she heard Harry yell. She just kept walking up the stairs, wondering herself where and why she had the urge to take off. Maybe Lavender's words had gotten to her more than she wanted to acknowledge.

-->

5. A Late Night Conversation


Disclaimer: Harry Potter is not mine…if the canon stories were I would already know how the last book ends and if Harry dies or not.

A/N: Okay, I really hope that everyone enjoys this chapter. It is my favorite chapter of the story that I have written so far. I am really happy with how it turned out, and I hope you guys agree. Hopefully I'll get more readers now that Harry and Hermione are closer to getting together. And, not to be annoying, but please review. I really enjoy getting meaningful feedback.

Chapter 5 - A Late Night Conversation

Hermione sat cross-legged on the couch in front of the still blazing fire in the Gryffindor common room that was completely deserted. Books surrounded her, as did spare bits of parchment. All other Gryffindors were in bed, but she had decided to stay up and get some extra studying in, the N.E.W.T.s got closer everyday. Crookshanks was sound asleep in a nearby chair enjoying the warmth of the fire. Absentmindedly she fiddled with the end of her quill while reading through her notes from the other day's Transfiguration class. Hermione stopped for a moment, rubbing her tired eyes, refusing to let herself to succumb to sleep just yet. Determinedly she tried to keep herself awake and get focused again on her reading.

At last absorbed in her reading once more, she did not notice that someone was coming down the stairs until they reached the bottom of the staircase. She jumped at the noise of feet falling on the stone staircase, sending some of her books and notes flying across the couch and the floor, waking up a very cranky and annoyed Crookshanks. Quickly she got up, and began crawling around on the ground to gather her things. Looking up from gathering up her fallen study materials to see who it was that was up, she nearly dropped her things again when her tired brown eyes met Harry's red-rimmed green ones.

“Harry,” she said quietly. She felt suddenly foolish realizing she must look awfully silly sitting on the floor clutching books and staring at him. Also, things were still slightly weird between them, after the episode the other day.

Hermione jumped to her feet and returned to her seat on the couch, quickly setting about reorganizing her notes.

“Oh, hey Hermione, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone would be up. I don't want to interrupt you're studying,” he said uncomfortably, looking down at his feet. He turned around as if to head back up to the boys dorm.

“Don't be silly Harry! I was about to wrap things up soon anyway. Don't go back up yet,” she said quickly, she hoped that she didn't sound too eager for him to stay with her. She gestured for him to come over and sit with her.

Harry wandered over slowly and sat down next to her on the couch, sinking into its old and comfortable cushions. Hermione turned her focus to Harry. Surreptitiously she studied his face, anxiously trying to discern what was bothering him. He gave her ample time as he stared distantly into the leaping flames. The expression on his face was sad and far away, it made her feel the urge to comfort him.

Tentatively Hermione moved closer to him and gently placed her small, slender-fingered hand on top of his. His hand was surprisingly warm; the contact felt electric. Hermione hoped he didn't notice her reaction to the touch. Looking away from the fire he smiled at her warmly. She noted happily that his face was slightly flushed. However, he immediately noted sadness in his eyes hidden behind the façade of the smile. It was always there, how could it not with his dark past, but it seemed worse tonight.

“Harry what are you doing up this late?” She gazed at him thoughtfully, waiting for his face to betray him and let her know what he was thinking.

“Oh, just couldn't sleep is all. I had too much sugar or something I guess,” he replied unconvincingly.

“I'm serious Harry, are you okay? You're not have nightmares again are you?” she asked her voice filled with concern.

Harry looked down at his feet, refusing to meet her eyes. “No,” he whispered in reply.

“Then what is it? You know you can trust me with anything,” she told him gently. “Please Harry; I know something is on your mind. You can't lie to me. You should know by now that I can see right through you.” She grabbed his shoulders, turning him to face her.

He sighed heavily, as always hard to pry feelings out of. “It's fine Hermione. I just couldn't sleep is all, like I told you before,” Harry told her evasively.

“You've been thinking about Dumbledore and Sirius, and your parents aren't you? Even though Voldemort's gone it still hurts doesn't it?” Hermione inquired suddenly, her face raw with sorrow.

“Revenge only feels good at the moment,” she added sagely. A muscle in Harry's check twitched and he sighed heavily.

Harry looked up his green eyes looking incredibly vulnerable at that moment. “Wow, I guess I should have paid better attention during those Occlumency lessons with Snape,” Harry said uneasily, hating the feeling of having his emotions so exposed. Hermione laughed. If only Harry knew just how easily she was usually able to read him.

“Yeah well, you were kind of rubbish at it and you clearly haven't improved,” Hermione commented jokingly. Harry cracked a small smile.

Hermione weakly returned his smile, concern for Harry preoccupying her mind. She has not been expecting that she would so quickly hit the problem that was on Harry's mind. Not really knowing what more to say to Harry at the moment wrapped her arms around him tightly in a tender hug. Harry stiffened slightly, but then pulled her closer. Hermione closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the feeling of being in his arms.

“Harry, I know that you will always miss the people you loved that Voldemort took away, but don't forget how many people are still around who care a lot about you. And you're still around. Your parents sacrifice wasn't for nothing. And, I know you're sick of hearing this, but you did save us all.”

Harry held her closer. She could feel his warm breath on her neck.

“Hermione,” he said almost inaudibly, “thank you for always standing by me. I don't think I ever thanked you properly but I hope you know I would have never made it without you.”

Hermione looked up, blinking her chocolate eyes in surprise at Harry's words. It was unexpected coming from him. His green eyes seemed to be glowing in the dim light of the room. She felt suddenly very warm, as though she'd taken on a sudden fever. She'd always known that he was grateful for her help along the way to defeat Voldemort. However, it seemed to her that all she did was supply information nothing else really.

“Harry, I…” she paused a moment, her tongue had almost betraying her. She closed her eyes and cleared her emotion clouded head before continuing.

“Harry, I really care about you. You're strong, I'm sure you could've defeated him without me. But, just so you know, I'll always be here for you. And you don't need to thank me. You haven't exactly been a slouch for a friend either you know, well most of the time anyway.” She looked at him pointedly.

Harry was glad that she couldn't see his face at the moment, uncomfortable with the emotions he was feeling. He could feel that his face was glowing. Eventually he pulled away, not sure how long he could get away with hugging her like that.

Hermione felt inexplicably sad when the embrace ended, hoping somehow that the moment would last longer as though frozen in time. Too bad messing with time using magic was so dangerous, or she would have been tempted to freeze them in the moment.

“Hermione, I'm sorry about the other day,” he blurted out. His face felt even warmer now.

She looked at him in surprise. Harry was usually kind of thick when it came to girls. He had never known, without her explanations, why he made Cho cry.

“I didn't mean to get so upset Harry. You just hurt me. It made me feeling like you were embarrassed about voluntarily studying with me and spending time with me,” she admitted.

Harry looked taken aback. “I'm so sorry Hermione. I don't know. Ron's just been weird lately about us, and I didn't want to set him off. I feel awful for making you feel unwanted,” Harry told her regretfully.

“Just don't do it again,” she told, smiling forgivingly. Their eyes met, his green and her brown, and she felt a strange sort of sensation coarse through her body. She quickly looked away, but still felt dazed.

“So what are you studying?” Harry asked awkwardly.

Hermione blinked and stared at him stupidly for a few moments before bringing herself back to reality.

“Oh, Transfiguration I guess.”

Harry smiled, holding back a laugh.

“Are you alright Hermione?” She looked at him, dying to tell him what she was feeling, but afraid to put herself out there. Closing her eyes a moment, she opened her mouth as if to say it, but held her tongue at the last moment. She'd tell him eventually.

“Oh, yeah just tired I guess,” she replied, trying to sound composed but failing miserably.

Harry's eyes were still on her, and the way Harry was looking at her was making her dizzy.

“You should get to bed then. Do stay up on my account. Trust me Hermione you'll be getting the best grades on the N.E.W.T.s even if you don't kill yourself studying,” he assured her kindly.

“That's nice of you to say Harry, but trust me I do need to study. I guess it wouldn't hurt to sleep a little. I can't learn anything if I am sleeping on top of my books.” She smiled warmly and began gathering up her books.

Harry helped her, crawling around on the floor next to her to grab papers and books she had missed when they'd fallen earlier. With his help it was going quickly. Harry and Hermione both reached for the last book, and Harry ended up grabbing her hand instead of the book. Hermione looked up and blushed when Harry didn't let go immediately.

Instead he leaned over and kissed her on her on the check. She felt herself sigh softly as his lips touched her skin. Hermione froze. Her heart began pounding in her chest like a wild bird. Harry was looking at her anxiously. She felt a slow smile creep onto her face.

“Thank you,” she whispered, hoping she wasn't imaging things, and feeling foolish for not having anything better to say.

Harry smiled in relief.

“What was that for?” she asked playfully, hoping to make him give away what he was feeling. Harry blushed.

“It was just for you being such a good friend,” he replied. Hermione grinned, and boldly leaned over kissing Harry on the check, in such a way that she ended up kissing the corner of his mouth as well. He looked up at her, surprised, but he seemed pleased.

“Well, I hope you can get some sleep. Goodnight Harry,” she said lightly, jumping to her feet. She winked mischievously at him.

“Goodnight Hermione,” he croaked. He was still sitting on the floor, his green eyes glowing.

She nodded and smiled at him. Clutching her books and papers to her chest, hoping he couldn't hear how loudly her heart was beating. Slowly she headed up the stairs to the girls dormitory. She felt dizzy, lightheaded, and supremely happy.

-->

6. How Long Has This Been Going On?


Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter is not mine. I only wish.

A/N: Thank you to my reviewers. You don't know how much I appreciate you kind comments about the story. I put a lot of time into writing and the feedback is really important to me, so thank you!

Well, I think you guys will like this chapter, as I think it includes something you've all been waiting for. Hope you like it ;)

Chapter 6 - How Long Has This Been Going On?

Hermione nervously fussed with her hair as she gave her appearance one last glance in the mirror. She'd managed to get her bushy hair under a little more control than usual. Nervously she smiled to herself, pleased with the result of her efforts. Sighing she sat down on her bed a moment, absentmindedly stroking a purring Crookshanks who hadn't appreciated her earlier start this morning. Nervously she looked down at the floor, trying to calm herself down. She was about to go meet Harry and Ron at the Gryffindor table for breakfast like she did almost every morning. Last night, however, had definitely changed things, and had left her excited but anxious about seeing Harry this morning. What if he pretended like nothing happened? What if it had been only a friendly little kiss?

Her reflection looked back at her with wide brown eyes. Sighing, she tried to clear the thought from her head. No, there had been something last night between them for sure. There was more than friendship in that moment. Lavenders words crept back into her mind, taunting her anew. Hermione squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head, as if physically trying to rid herself of the memory of what that insipid girl had said.

Gathering her courage, she headed down the flight of steps from the girls dormitory and exited through the portrait hole. Taking a steadying breath she headed down several winding hallways to the Great Hall. As she opened the heavy doors she noticed that it was already fairly full and abuzz with chatter, although some people still seemed half asleep. She walked over to the Gryffindor table and spotted Ginny waving at her, gesturing to a place next to her on the bench. Hermione noted that the spot also happened to be across from Harry. Hermione tried to act casual, rather than like the bundle of nerves she truly was.

She slid in next to Ginny on the bench, smoothing her skirt. After greeting her younger friend, she looked over at Harry, her heart pounding. He had been deeply involved in a conversation with Ron on Quidditch, but he turned to look at Hermione the moment he heard her voice greeting Ginny. Harry dropped the forkful of food in his hand. It fell to his plate with a loud clattering noise. He, however, didn't seem to notice as he grinned at her. Their eyes met like two magnets. Hermione felt her face flush and noticed that Harry's did also. She silently cursed her cheeks for giving her away, but didn't seem to mind that Harry's did also.

Ron watched them, looking slightly confused. Ginny smiled in amusement. Other nearby Gryffindors watched the scene playing out as well, though they didn't seem that surprised.

“Good morning Harry,” Hermione managed, all too aware of all the people taking interest in their interaction.

Harry smiled nervously. “Hi, how are you? Not worrying about N.E.W.T.s yet at this time in the morning are you?” he asked thoughtfully.

Hermione grinned and shook her head. “No, I did enough of that last night. Thanks again,” she replied looking at him meaningfully, hoping he would know what she was referring to.

He must have, as looked down awkwardly, but wore an embarrassed, yet pleased, sort of grin on his face.

“Anytime,” he said quietly, a look in his gorgeous green eyes as he spoke took her breath away. The uneasy knot that her stomach had been twisted in since she gotten up this morning began to unwind. She had to resist clutching her hand to her heart, which was pounding so fast she swore it was bound to burst.

The two seemed to have forgotten for the moment that everyone nearby was still listening in and watching them with curiosity.

“Did you to shag each other or something last night?” Seamus commented crudely through a mouthful of food, his eyes twinkling with mischief. Dean and Neville held back laughter, though not very well.

Hermione, who had just taken a rather large sip of pumpkin juice, began to cough violently as she choked on the mouthful of liquid. Harry turned red and then paled in anger. Ron looked positively ill at thought of his two best friends shagging each other. Ginny winked mischievously at Hermione.

“Seamus, don't be such a foul git. I can't believe you would think that of Hermione,” snapped Harry protectively, his eyes flashing. Hermione had been irritated by the comment, but was pleased with Harry's reaction. She didn't need protecting, but it was a good feeling to have him watching out for her regardless.

“Sorry, mate. I was just being honest because that's the way you we're looking at each other. I didn't mean to insult to your girlfriends honor or anything,” Seamus replied, looking slightly annoyed. He stabbed a sausage and stuffed it into his mouth. Harry still looked annoyed though.

Impulsively Hermione reached her hand across the table and gave Harry's a soothing squeeze, hoping to stop him from furthering the argument with Seamus. Harry visibly relaxed at her touch. He smiled at her warmly; making her heart beat a little faster. She'd been worried that he would be uncomfortable but such an obvious display of affection in front of their friends. She smiled to herself looking down at her plate. She couldn't help but notice that Harry hadn't immediately corrected Seamus when he'd called her Harry's girlfriend.

They didn't see but Seamus gestured to the pair of them and then rolled his eyes comically at the rest of the table, causing the others try to hold back laughter once again. Ron though, still didn't look that amused by what was going on. He didn't look jealous really, more like hurt that he didn't know his two best friends were together. Seamus whispered something to Dean and other nearby Gryffindors that caused a new roar of laughter.

“Don't you all have better things to do then be insufferably nosey?” Hermione protested, her hair seeming to bristle with annoyance.

“Clearly not,” Ron said sourly with a mouth full of food. Hermione smiled uncomfortably at him. He looked extremely annoyed by what was going on this morning, and she knew that he felt left out of the loop. What was there to tell him though? She wasn't even sure where she and Harry were at. There hadn't been time to discuss last night's events with him. The Great Hall was not exactly the ideal location for a nice private chat. She started down at her plate of untouched food. Her stomach felt queasy again all of the sudden. In fact, at the moment she felt like she was about to throw-up slugs.

Ginny patted Hermione's shoulder sympathetically; she knew that it wasn't fun to be on her brother's bad side.

“He'll understand; he will,” she whispered to Hermione. Hermione gave her a grateful look, hoping that Ginny was right about this. Would he understand? She sighed and looked over at Harry who looked as uncomfortable as she did. He smiled at her, his emerald eyes twinkling. Her stomach did a little flip, but this time it was a good feeling. Suddenly the epiphany hit her like a kick to the chest from a Hippogriff. When she'd broken up with Ron, she refused to given him a reason, or to even talk about ever again. It was because she had loved Harry, even then and somewhere deep inside she'd always known. Emotions were threatening to overtake her. She had to get out of here.

Hastily, she gathered up her things. She looked down feeling slightly guilty for leaving a full plate behind of food that the kitchen elves had worked so hard to make. Well, she'd have to worry about that later. The last thing she needed was to make a spectacle of herself in the Great Hall.

“I am going to go do a little studying before classes start,” she announced, attempt to appear unruffled, as she got up from her seat.

Harry looked at her quizzically. She smiled at him, but took off to leave the Great Hall, making her escape as fast as possible, not wanting to look around at the rest of the table. She could feel more than one set of eyes were watching her as she walked away. A sigh of relief escaped as the doors closed heavily behind her.

As she headed down one of the empty hallways of the castle, she heard footsteps pounding on the stone floor behind her. She hesitantly stopped and turned around to see who it was. The footsteps got closer and stopped. She was hoping very much that it wasn't an angry and hurt Ron following. To her relief, it wasn't. She turned only for her eyes to meet a pair of worried green eyes.

“Harry!” she exclaimed.

“Hermione, are you okay?” he asked, genuinely concerned about her.

She smiled at him, gently placing a hand on his arm.

“Yeah, I'm fine Harry. I just had to get out of there, away from everybody.”

Harry frowned slightly. “I'm sorry about that lot. That's what happens when you go to school with people for so long. I guess they figure everyone's business is theirs,” Harry remarked, his tone laced with annoyance.

Hermione moved a little closer to Harry, looking up into eyes. “It's fine Harry. Thanks for defending me by the way. You're really sweet.”

Harry smiled abashedly. “Ah, it's nothing. It just makes me mad when people say anything about you because you're wonderful.”

Hermione beamed.

“Harry, I have to get this out. Last night, it was, well wonderful talking to you and, um... But, what did it mean to you? I mean do you think of me as a friend or…um I don't know. I was well, wondering what you were feeling about us,” Hermione babbled. She felt like a completely idiot prattling away like that, but she hoped that she had at least gotten the point across to him.

Harry took a step closer to her without answering her question. She peered up at him anxiously. There was a look that she couldn't identify in his eyes, but something about it thrilled her. He was so close to her now that she could feel his warm breath on her face. Their eyes met for a moment and he gently pulled her into his arms. Hermione shuddered with delight. She had hugged Harry before, but it never felt like this.

Suddenly his warm lips were pressing insistently on hers. Heat swept through her body like a sudden fever. Hermione clung to him, her legs threatening to give out beneath her. She hadn't kissed that many guys before now, but no kiss had ever felt like this.

He pulled away for a moment as if to measure her reaction to the kiss. She started at him dizzy, breathless, and wanting more. He seemed to see nothing to deter him in her expression and kissed her again even more deeply this time. She wrapped her arms around his neck, running her fingers through his messy, dark hair. His hands were on her waist and then back. His touch was amazing.

Gently they pulled apart, and she felt exquisite agony as his warm lips left hers. His kiss had been a better answer to her question than she could possibly imagine.

“I suppose you fancy me then?” she whispered with a little grin, her dark eyes sparkling.

“I wanted to tell you last night. Actually I've known for a long time that I felt more than friendship for you, well since before you started dating Ron. It killed me to see you together, but I thought you were both happy and didn't want to get in the way. But then you guys broke up, and I wasn't sure where we stood, but it seemed like you felt something for me when we came back,” he explained.

“Oh, Harry we've both been so think. I think I've felt something for you since, well about 5th year, but I just thought you'd never fancy someone like me. Sometimes I wasn't sure that remembered I was a girl,” she admitted.

Harry looked shocked.

“Hermione, how come you don't know how amazing you are?”

Hermione smiled shyly, but his words touched her.

“I can't believe we are finally together,” he remarked in a disbelieving voice. Hermione reached up and ran her fingers gently across the side of his face.

“We're really together?” she asked coyly, her heart leaping in her chest.

“Of course we are. I'm not risking so other bloke asking you out. I thought you were the brightest witch of your age Hermione. Do I have to tell you again how I feel,” he joked, smiling his charmingly lop-sided smile.

“Maybe you should tell me on more time how you feel,” she told him softly. Harry smiled and kissed her again.

-->

7. Unbreakable Bonds


Disclaimer: I am obviously not JK Rowling, therefore canon Harry Potter isn't mine. This story is though!

A/N: Hope you all enjoy the chapter! Keep reviewing and reading ;) I really, really love getting reviews! Seriously even if you just write a one line review, it will make my day. The more reviews, the more likely is to give the story a try.

I may do a bit of a bit of a rewrite with this and other chapters, so I just wanted to warn you all in advance! Thanks

Chapter 7 - Unbreakable Bonds

Hermione and Harry casually walked into Potions class together. Hermione looked around anxiously, hoping that her face wasn't getting red. Of course she was overjoyed to finally be with Harry, but they had both agreed not to flaunt their relationship to the public, as Ron didn't know yet. She had attempted to track down Ron earlier but with no luck. It made her edgy thinking about how Ron would react to her new relationship with Harry. Ron had seemed to sense that something was going on between her and Harry since the beginning of term, even whiles his friends had been too thick to notice it themselves.

She glanced over at Harry and smiled. He beamed at her as he pulled out his Potions book and her heart fluttered. Hermione set about getting her own things out for class, still smiling to herself. No matter how Ron or anyone else reacted, nothing could tarnish the knowledge that Harry felt the same way she did about him.

The class buzzed with the usual chatter, but no one said anything to Harry and Hermione about being together. It seemed no one had seen them snogging in the hallway. All conversation died at the sound of the door's creaking hinge. Everyone knew it was Professor Snape, he was always punctual. He walked into the room without a word, his pale face more sullen than usual, not that he ever showed any remote enthusiasm for teaching them.

Harry groaned, far from excited about starting another class taught by one of the people he loathed most in the entire world. Hermione looked around the room, as Snape made his way to the front of the room. Ron was nowhere to be seen. She chewed her lip nervously. For Ron's sake he better get to class soon. He certainly couldn't use the first year `I got lost' excuse, not that Snape cared when they were first years anyway.

“Where's Ron?” she whispered to Harry. Snape cleared his throat, and she looked up to see his cold eyes locked on her. She moved away from Harry and returned his gaze with equal frigidity. Snape's eyes narrowed.

“Miss Granger, I am sure we would all appreciate if you and Potter save your lovers activities for times when you're not in the classroom,” Snape admonished her contemptuously. “Oh, and 20 points from Gryffindor,” he added, as he made his way back to the front of the class.

Snape's lesson was interrupted once again though, as a frazzled looking Ron came bolted into the classroom, taking a seat at a table behind Harry and Hermione. Neither of them managed to catch his attention as he passed them. Ron plopped down in his seat breathing heavily. Snape sighed loudly, and dropped a book to his desk with a thud. The whole class was now looking with interest back and forth from Snape to Ron.

“Mr. Weasley. Why are you late to my class?” Snape demanded. Most everyone in the room felt sorry for Ron at the moment, they all knew that no excuse would placate Snape.

“I um, forgot my book in my room,” Ron muttered. His face had gone so pale that his freckles stood out as though someone had gone and colored them all.

“Yes, likely story. Detention this Saturday, Weasley, oh and I think your friends Granger and Potter should join you. They started the trouble even before you get here,” Snape told him, the closest thing to a smile Snape ever managed crossing his features.

Harry and Hermione groaned. Hermione swiftly elbowed Harry, silently reminding him not to even think about starting any arguments with Snape. Harry frowned and rubbed his side. Hermione grinned and turned her attention to class.

“Today,” Snape announced, his expression stony, “we will be making Amortentia, or love potion—“

“But Professor,” Hermione interrupted loudly, “Professor Slughorn already went over it with us last year.”

Harry rolled his eyes, “Now who is the one starting trouble?” he whispered.

Snape gazed at Hermione in irritation. “That interruption will cause our class know-it-all 15 house points, as I was saying we will be making Amortentia.” Hermione's face darkened in anger.

Harry could see that Hermione was fighting the urge to remind Snape how hazardous love potion could be if recklessly used. Ron suddenly burst into a fit of laughter. Hermione turned around and looked at him as if he'd finally lost it.

“What's so amusing Mr. Weasley?” Snape snapped, coming over to stand directly in front of Ron. “Perhaps you should share with the class.” Ron gulped, the smile fleeing his face. He did want to explain that the thought of Snape making and then using love potion on an unsuspecting woman, had been a hilarious mental image.

“My quill tickled my noise?” Ron croaked, less than convincingly. Harry looked on edge as though he would challenge Snape if he dared hassle Ron further. Harry had been spoiling for a fight with Snape ever since the beginning of class.

Snape gazed at Ron grimly for a few moments, but abruptly turned away, surprisingly seeming satisfied by the answer. Ron looked as if he couldn't quite believe his luck. He had expected at least another detention or two.

“Hopefully I will be able to finish class without anymore interruptions from Potter and his cast of annoying friends. I believe Amortentia will appear in some way on the N.E.W.T.s so I demand that you know this potion well,” Snape told them. Hermione began scribbling furiously on the parchment in front of her, apparently finding nothing to argue with in Snape's justification.

“This potion is fairly complex to make. Most of you, no doubt will fail, but I expect you all to attempt this potion.” Snape flicked his wand, and the directions and ingredients for the potions appeared on the board at the front of the room. The class groaned as they noted the complexity of the potion. Harry grimace and hoped that Hermione was right in saying that he may have inherited some of his mother's talent for Potions.

Hermione busily began to prepare her ingredients and carefully read through the steps of the potion before putting anything in her cauldron. She paused for a moment to look over at Harry's progress. He seemed to have his ingredients prepared already and it appeared that he done so correctly. Ron moaned and she noticed that he seemed to be struggling quite a bit. Only Neville seemed to be having a more difficult time of it.

Shaking her head, she turned back to her own potion, which already seemed to be suffering from the few seconds of inattention. The classroom was silent, other than the bubbling of potions and the sound of stirring; everyone was completely wrapped up in trying to master the difficult potion.

Snape imperiously strode around the class, as people began to add the ingredients to their potion, peering into cauldrons as he went along. He stopped suddenly, astonishment registering briefly on his characteristically unemotional face as he stared at Harry's potion.

Snape leered. “Well, Potter. It appears as though someone's made this potion before. Perhaps, to ensnare your previous girlfriends I suspect?” Snape commented maliciously, not about to lower himself to praising Harry's work. Hermione saw Harry's face flush crimson with anger and mortification. She peeked over into his cauldron and felt just a shocked as Snape. Harry's Amortentia potion was already showing signs of developing its distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen. Looking at her own again she noted that it was only a dull, milky white.

Harry still looked furious, but rather than starting an argument with Snape he continued to carefully tend to his potion. Hermione was shocked. Perhaps for once Harry had decided that some the advice she'd given him was actually good to listen to.

Snape continued to walk around the, predictably praising Malfoy's potion, which didn't look nearly as good as Harry's. Hermione frowned. Even if he was Ginny's boyfriend, she still found the Slytherin completely insufferable.

Impatiently she brushed a frizzy strand of hair from her eyes, concentrating on her own potion, something she hadn't been doing very well this class.

After what seemed like only a few moments, rather than another half an hour, Snape announced that he needed to collect their potions now. She glanced into her cauldron at her adequate, but now where near perfect potion. It had a slight sheen to it, but it was sure not enough of one to get her full points.

Harry was pouring his into a glass container, as he did so she saw the characteristic spirals wafting out of his cauldron. Snape better give him high marks for that, she thought with a sigh. At least Harry had done well today, even though it rankled her slightly that she hadn't done well. Snape walked over, as he must have noticed the spirals from afar.

“Well, miracle that it is, Potter seems to have most accurately prepared the potion,” Snape announced. “Now, I think he should try it out.”

“What!” Harry and Hermione shouted together.

“Professor, it would be completely against the school rules to have a student drink Amortentia,” Hermione protested, looking incredibly agitated. Harry looked rather panicked as well. The quill he had been holding snapped in half in his fist.

Snape waved them away nonchalantly. “Foolish girl, I merely meant that he should smell the potion. Surely he knows the dangers of it anyway, as he's clearly used it before on someone anyway,” Snape told her disdainfully.

Harry looked as though he'd rather fight Voldemort again than be humiliated by Snape in Potions class.

“We're waiting Potter,” Snape demanded.

“Just do it Potter!” Malfoy shouted. He and his group of friends seemed not to have lost their fondness for seeing Harry upset.

Harry gulped, leaning forward and using his hand to waft the scent of the potion.

“Well, um, I smell paper, ink, and vanilla I think,” Harry stammered, looking more mortified as he went along. Hermione smiled sympathetically, but couldn't help but note with pleasure that all the think he named related to her.

“Sounds like he's in love with a librarian,” hooted an obnoxious boy from Slytherin. Suddenly Hermione felt a dozen sets of eyes looking over towards her direction.

“Or Granger,” Seamus piped in. Harry and Hermione exchanged a nervous glance, not daring to turn around and look at Ron at the moment. Snape looked completely smug.

“Potter must have gotten some brain damaged when he fought the Dark Lord,” Malfoy said with a sneer.

Harry jumped up from his seat. Hermione grabbed his hand, which she saw going for his wand.

“Do us all a favor and shut-up Malfoy,” Harry yelled, his green eyes flashing dangerously.

“Ooooo, I'm scared,” Malfoy said with a laugh.

Hermione grabbed Harry, and turned him away from Malfoy. “Ignore that foul little weasel. It's really not worth Harry.”

Snape surprisingly didn't attempt to break them up; he seemed to be enjoying watching Malfoy taunt Harry. Hermione couldn't understand why they'd let him come back. Not only were his loyalties unclear, but he was an unfair teacher, who often mocked his students. It wasn't only Snape that bothered her though. Something about Malfoy was bugging her. He hadn't seemed to have changed at all.

“Thank you for demonstrating Amortentia for us Potter. The rest of you can go after leaving your potion at my desk. For next class I want two rolls of parchment on the misuses of love potion.” Snape marched back the front of the class, examining the vials of potion that people were turning in. Some students frantically tried to improve theirs before turning it in.

There was a loud grown from behind her. She turned to look, as did Harry. Ron and Neville were both pouring out some of their potions. They exchanged horrified glances. Ron's was a strange bluish color and appeared to be letting off little sparks. Snape probably wouldn't even accept it. Harry gave Ron a look of sympathy. To Hermione's relief, Ron didn't look angry with Harry, as he shrugged and turned glumly back to his potion. They walked with Ron to the front of the classroom, going up with him to turn in their potions. Ron looked like he was going to be ill, as he watched Snape examine the contents of the container he'd handed in.

“Weasley, what is this?” Snape demanded.

“Love potion?” Ron answered quietly.

“Did you add all the ingredients?” Ron looked up at the board. He looked relieved after he finished reading through the list.

“Yes, sir, I did,” he said confidently. Snape looked at him and sighed as he put the container on his desk. Harry gave Ron a thumbs-up.

“Fine, Weasley. You and your friends can go.” The three friends quickly dashed out of the classroom.

“He took it!” Ron told them, looking completely thrilled.

“He would have never taken that if it was mine. You got really lucky mate,” Harry said, with a hint of envy. Ron shrugged and smiled.

“You're pretty lucky yourself mate. I wouldn't complain too much,” he said, glancing significantly at his two friends and managing a smile. Hermione felt a wave of relief.

“How'd you know we were together?” Harry asked, puzzled.

Ron rolled his eyes. “As Hermione would say, it's was so obvious. After the little scene in the Great Hall this morning, I figured you two finally stopped being dense about each other,” Ron explained.

Harry and Hermione smiled and the trio headed to lunch before their next class. Harry reached down and grabbed Hermione's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. She smiled content with the knowledge that their new relationship wouldn't break them apart from Ron. Of course there was always the rest of the school to deal with.

-->

8. Indiscreet


Disclaimer: Harry Potter does not belong to me; therefore I am not attempting to infringe on an copyrights, contracts, etc. or to make any money. I'm just having fun.

A/N: Hmm, for once I don't have much to saw. I hope you enjoy the chapter. Hopefully there aren't too many errors, but I did post this as soon as I finished, after giving it one last glance for glaring errors, so forgive an that are left. I'll probably go back and edit a little later. Enjoy! Review! Be merry! (Okay, I lied, I did have a lot to say).

Chapter 8 - Indiscreet

Harry and Hermione walked down the hall towards Transfiguration. Ron had forgotten a few things for another class later than day, and had told them to go on ahead and save a seat for him. Harry glanced over at Hermione as they walked along the castle hallway and smiled, admiring the way the light streaming in through the castle windows made her hair look more gold than brown. There were few times in his life when he'd felt so happy and content. Despite all he'd lost, the girl he really cared for finally knew it and returned his feelings. She blushed slightly under his gave; unaware of how beautiful she looked to him at the moment.

Impulsively he pulled her into his arms and kissed her tenderly. Her mouth was warm and hot against his. After a few moments he felt hers curve into a surprised smile beneath his kiss. He pulled away, and grinned. She gazed at him for a moment, slightly puzzled. Harry was hardly one for initiating a hug, and rarely a kiss, not that she minded, but physical intimacy had made him slightly uncomfortable in the past. This was probably a good sign though, she thought with a little smile to herself. She hugged Harry tightly and returned his kiss, pushing him up against the wall as she did so. Both of them were so completely wrapped up in each other that it took them a few moments to hear someone clearly her throat, trying to get their attention.

“Miss Granger, Mr. Potter, I fear that you will be late for class if you continue with that,” Professor McGonagall admonished them, she was frowning, but they both saw her eyes twinkle for a moment in amusement.

The pair turned radish red. Hermione made an attempt to smooth her rumpled uniform. Looking up, she noticed that Professor McGonagall hadn't been the only witness to their hallway snog. Several other Gryffindors stood watching the little scene going on, many of them smirking in amusement. Apparently they already knew he was with Hermione, or it had been more obvious to everyone else in the school than to each other that they fancied each other. Lavender was a member of the crowd, but she hardly looked amused. Hermione grinned, noting that the foul girl looked like she'd ingested a bucket of slugs.

“Well, we best find a seat,” Hermione whispered to Harry, tugging at his sleeve. As she did so, her lips brushed against his ear, causing him to loose focus on what she was saying.

“Hmm, what?” he answered distractedly, causing her to sigh and roll her eyes. She slid her bag more securely on her shoulder and took off towards the Transfiguration classroom, hoping Harry could figure out the rest from there. He did and quickly walked after her. The room was already pretty crowded when they got there. Even Ron had managed to arrive before them; he waved to two seats next to him when they spotted him.

“I heard you two were nearly shagging right there in the hallway,” Ron whispered wide-eyed to Harry and Hermione. The pair exchanged embarrassed looks.

“I see gossip gets around this school as quickly as ever, and the truth manages to get as convoluted as ever,” Hermione complained as she pulled her book and a quill from her bag, trying to ignore the curious glances of others who had clearly heard the rumor.

“Sorry, Hermione,” Harry whispered. “As you know from past experience, if I am involved the rumor spreads twice as fast and gets even farther from the truth than an ordinary rumor.”

Hermione managed a smile, remembering Rita Skeeter's attack on her their fourth year during the Triwizard Tournament, claiming she had broken his heart, after ditching him for Viktor Krum. She looked over at Harry. They had been linked by people for so many years, she wondered at the fact that it had take them this long to get together. Her thoughts were interrupted by Professor McGonagall beginning class. She smiled at him and Hermione for a moment, and he swore he saw her give a small little wink. At least one of his teachers was happy about his new relationship, unlike Snape who was using it to mock him.

Harry opened his book. “Unfortunately, today I have a lecture prepared for you all, as there is a problem I need to address within the school,” McGonagall announced, flicking her wand at the board. Scrawling handwriting appeared, forming the outline of her lesson.

They all groaned as they discovered they would not be learning a new transfiguration spell, but rather had to listen to a lecture of the misuse of certain transfigurations. Apparently several students had been using them on each other recently. Harry thought that he'd seen a fourth year with a mushroom for a nose, as well as several other odd things. He looked over at Hermione who was of course listening with rapt attention, her quill scribbling furiously. He tried to pay attention, but after the first few minutes, the only thing that kept him awake was Hermione's sharp little elbow jabbing him in the ribs every so often.

Finally class was over. Ron and Harry were both quick to shove their book and notes into their bags, despite Hermione's look of disapproval.

“Potter, can I see you a moment?” Professor McGonagall asked, looking up over the top of her glasses, as she sat at the desk. His two friends looked at him questioningly. Harry shrugged, not sure of what he could have done to cause trouble that day.

“We'll wait for you outside Harry,” Hermione told him, giving him an encouraging smile and gently squeezing his hand.

“It'll be fine. It's like she'd Snape or anything,” Harry assured them, trying to bolster himself as well.

“Maybe she'd going to tell you that she and Snape are getting married,” Ron whispered. “Snape had an awful lot of that love potion sitting around in his room after all.” Hermione rolled her eyes and Harry held back a laugh as he turned to meet with Professor McGonagall.

“Is everything all right, Professor?” he asked, shifting his weight from one foot to the other as he stood in front of her desk.

“Oh, Potter. Sorry, I got caught up in these papers for moment. Don't worry, aren't in any sort of trouble, for once,” she looked up at him with a grim smile.

“I just wanted to let you know that although Dumbledore is no longer with us and Voldemort are gone, it doesn't you won't still have the occasional problem, though I know you have a friend and a girlfriend who are there for you. I just wanted to say, please don't hesitate to come to me should you need anything,” she told him.

Harry smiled, surprised but touched by her words. “Um, thanks, Professor,” he replied awkwardly. She smiled.

“Well, that's all Potter. Don't want to keep your friends waiting for too long.”

Harry smiled and headed out into the hallway, where Ron and Hermione were waiting for him, looking rather anxious.

“Don't worry I haven't gotten into any trouble that you two didn't know about. She just wanted to talk to me for a moment,” he told them.

Hermione looked at him quizzically, but didn't press him for more information, appreciating the fact that he tended to be a private person. He would tell them when he felt like it. The trio headed back to the Gryffindor common room to get a little bit of work done before their next class. All the teachers had given a load of homework that day, and if they didn't want to be up all night it would be best to start it all soon. They took a longer way back, though a usually deserted hallway.

They all paused though before rounding the corner, at the sound of lowered voices. The three all exchange a glance, as they recognized one of the voices as Draco Malfoy's. Hermione frowned at Ron who was breathing rather loudly for her liking. They pressed against the wall, wishing for some Extendable Ears.

“Malfoy, when did you last hear your father? We heard from a trustworthy source, that he is mounting an attack on the wizarding world along with former Death Eaters,” one of the voices demanded. Hermione gasped involuntarily, and grabbed Harry's hand. The thought of him being once again in danger made her stomach flip and twist into knots. He reassuringly squeezed her small hand that fit perfectly in his. He was all too well aware of what was probably going through her mind at the moment. Ron didn't looked upset by the new as well, his freckled face had blanched several colors lighter than its normal shade. Harry patted his best friend on the back and motioned for him to stay quiet.

“I told you all a thousand times you, my father rarely talks to me anymore. Not after how I messed things up during the Dark Lord's final days. The last thing he'd do is reveal some big plan to me before anyone else,” Draco explained irately.

“You know more than you're telling us,” protested another voice. Hermione thought the boy sounded a lot like Crabbe. Harry met her eyes, clearly thinking the same thing.

“Come on Draco. We're all on the same side here! At least tell us what you know. My dad thinks I'm too thick to be trusted with anything information, so I never know what's going on.” Hermione smiled to herself, that one had to be Goyle or Crabbe, if the other one wasn't.

Draco and his friends were silent for moment. After waiting a minute, Draco continued. This time his voice was much softer. The three eavesdroppers had to strain to hear.

“Listen, my father may not tell me much, but you are right that he is planning something. He can't stand that filthy Mudbloods like Granger are still at the school, and that that annoying Potter still lives. Something is going to happen this year. I just don't know where and when my father is going to carry it out,” Draco confided to his dimwitted friends. The two chuckled.

Hermione felt like she was going to be sick at the sound of their laughter. Despite the fact that Ron was there, Harry pulled her into his arms and kissed the top of her head, trying to comfort her. One his hands clenched into an angry fist. He was so tempted to blow their cover and hex Malfoy within an inch of his life. He was used to Malfoy's comments, but he would never excuse anything said against Hermione.

“We better get going. Someone might come walking through here,” Draco whispered to his companions. The three breathed a sigh of relief, as they heard the groups footsteps take off in the other direction. Ron carefully poked his head around the corner in an attempt to catch a glance at who had been involved in the conversation.

“Looked like Crabbe, Goyle, Malfoy, and two other Slytherins I didn't recognize. They looked like right foul gits though,” Ron reported to Harry and Hermione.

“No surprise there really,” Harry said angrily.

“You don't look so good. You alright, Hermione?” Ron asked, as he took a closer look at her. Her face was buried in Harry's robes at the moment, but her face looked rather pale. Harry's soothingly ran his fingers through her hair.

“She just looks the way we all feel at the moment, Ron,” Harry answered for her. Hermione slowly pulled away, taking a deep breath to collect herself. She had felt like she was going to loose it for a moment there, but she'd managed not to cry.

“Why can't that foul man just give up?” she exclaimed suddenly, leaning against the wall for support.

Harry looked out the window, deep in thought. This year was supposed to the first one he could enjoy without having to worry about Voldemort, the dream year he had envisioned was quickly slipping through his fingers. Ron put a hand on his shoulder, bringing him back to the moment.

“It might just all be big talk, Harry,” Ron said encouragingly, attempting to stay positive, despite what they'd just heard. Harry smiled weakly, but was gratefully for his best mate's support.

“Maybe, Ron's right, Harry,” Hermione added, though she still felt sick to her stomach. When Voldemort was around, Harry's life had always been in danger, and now it seemed it was again. The thought was terrifying.

“Thanks guys. I know that however this turns out, I can count on you both, as foolish as that sounds,” Harry replied. He turned away from the window, grinning weakly at them.

Voldemort may have taken a lot away from him, but he hadn't managed to rob him of two of the greatest people he had ever known.

-->

9. Keeping Friends Close


Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter is not mine, nor do I pretend it to be.

A/N: I feel really badly for not updating sooner, but for some reason this chapter gave me fits. I knew what I wanted to happen in the chapter but I couldn't get it right the first few tries. So, anyway I hope that you all enjoy this. Once again, I apologize for typos as I wanted to post this as soon as I finished and I'll go back and fix them later. Bad habit yes, but oh well. Oh, and I wanted to thank everyone who reviews all the time, your feedback means a lot to me. Happy reading! 33 days until Deathly Hallows ;)

Chapter 9 - Keeping Friends Close

Harry, Hermione, and Ron sat in the library attempting to get some of their mountain of homework done. Hermione, of course, was well ahead of Harry and Ron, despite the fact that her mind had been racing all day. The three were still unsettled about what they had heard in the exchange between Malfoy and his friends the other day. The worst thing though had been facing Ginny now that it seemed clear that her boyfriend was still scum. None of them had had the heart to tell her anything yet, making any interaction with her more than slightly uncomfortable. It had been worst for Hermione, as she really couldn't avoid Ginny, as Ginny lived in the same dorm as her. The boys could go hide it theirs.

Hermione chewed on the end of her quill, deep in thought, though not about a homework problem. Harry noticed as he looked up from the essay he was writing and frowned. He knew that expression all too well, the Hermione planning face. If there had been a pair of knitting needles around, he'd of sworn she was thinking of something involving S.P.E.W. Feeling his stare, Hermione looked at him for a moment; clearly about to share whatever was on her mind with him.

“We have to tell Ginny what we overheard in the hall yesterday,” Hermione whispered to Harry who was sitting next to her at the table, shielding her face from any onlookers with a rather large book. Ron looked up from his own work, blinking sleepily. A few seconds ago he had been nearly fallen asleep in his chair while reading over some notes Hermione had let him borrow from History of Magic. Professor Binns never failed to make him feel like taking a long nap, no matter how many hours of sleep he'd gotten the night before. He was curious as to what was going on behind Hermione's book, hoping that his friends hadn't decided to have a good snog in the library.

“Not really. I don't know if that's really a good idea. After all, we're not sure if any of that was serious or if it was just all talk,” Harry replied, pretending to suddenly be very focused on an essay for Snape that was nowhere near completion. “Besides, we really never share stuff like this with Ginny, and I don't know if we should start. Not that I don't trust her, but we usually keep things between the three of us,” he added, after pausing a moment. He looked over at Ron for support. Ron, having heard all of what Harry had said, nodded in agreement.

“But, she has to know about this, Harry. Malfoy could hurt or get her involved in his plans without her knowing it. We have to think of some way to tell her, without revealing too much of what we know. I agree that it would be best to keep her out of it, but because she's involved with Malfoy with really have no choice. After all, we can't very well let her stay together with a boy who still thinks it's a good idea to murder you, and me for that matter. She thinks she's in love with him after all,” Hermione protested indignantly, putting her book down on the table rather loudly. The three pretended not to notice the librarian glaring over at them.

“I don't see why we have to tell her, like Harry said. After all, if Malfoy is really such a complete git, it will be pretty clear to her fairly soon. Hopefully she's smart enough not to go along if he asks if she wants to go out for a romantic date, that involves a Death Eaters meeting,” Ron insisted, homework forgotten.

“Yeah, I still don't believe how she'd think that he's changed. He's just as foul as he's always been,” Harry said, his expression darkening.

“You don't think he's got the Imperius Curse on her or something, do you?” Ron asked in quiet horror, his eye widening.

“No, Ronald. You can't be serious. Malfoy may be a foul human being, but he's not that stupid. He couldn't get away that in the school without being caught. Besides, not to sound horribly sappy, but if you love someone your more likely to overlook a person's faults. I've never really watched them together, maybe he does act differently around her,” Hermione told him seriously.

“Ugh, it's best that you never have watched them together,” Ron said, a look of pure disgust on his face.

“I agree, that's a foul mental image you've caused,” Harry complained.

“Yes, well as much as you two can't stand them together, Ginny likes him a lot. I know the pair of you will love it when she breaks up, but she'll be hurt. I doubt she'll take it well when I tell her. In fact, it would be nice to have some support on this,” she admonished, waving around the quill in her hand as she spoke.

“I don't know, Hermione. I mean this is kind of a girl matter really. You know how bad Harry is with the ladies' - they always end up in tears, well except for you.” Harry frowned, clearly about to protest, but Ron continued, “Don't get mad Harry; I'm not much better either. Clearly we are not the ones with the skill to break this to Ginny,” Ron told her, looking rather uneasy about the whole thing. “Besides, since it's my sister, she'd think I was just trying to tell her what to do or some rubbish like that, and you know how she gets when she thinks I am try to boss her around.”

Harry nodded in silent agreement, avoiding Hermione's eyes.

“Oh, honestly!” Hermione exclaimed indignantly.

She rolled her eyes at the pair of them, picking up her book again and pulling it closer to her face to hide her exasperated expression from Harry and Ron. It was as she expected, they expected her to break the news to Ginny about how rotten her boyfriend Malfoy truly was…alone. They were clearly trying to worm out of it in every possible way, though they probably thought they were being subtle. Not that she had expected their behavior to be any different. Harry may have defeated Voldemort with the bravery of a hero, but it seemed to have done little to improve his courage when it came to dealing with girls.

She scribbled angrily, nearing the end of an Ancient Runes essay that she'd been researching and working on for the past few days, glancing up every few moments to verify a fact in her book. Homework was often an ideal way to vent emotions. She'd been stumped for ideas as how to finish off the essay, but now she only had a few more lines left. Getting the feeling that someone was staring at her, she wearily tore her eyes away from the parchment. A pair of guilty-looking green eyes met hers as she glanced up.

“Hermione, could I maybe see your notes from Potions? I can't read my own writing in this bit here of my notes,” Harry whispered as he pointed to a section of his notes that didn't even look like real words, but a child's scribbling. He gave her a crooked smile, knowing full well that he and Ron had managed to thoroughly annoy her earlier and was bracing her temper. His eyes sparkled impishly, given him the appearance of a puppy that had just eaten your slippers but then comes over looking for forgiveness.

She frowned for a moment and rolled her eyes, but shoved the requested notes at him with a sigh. The expression of surprise on his face that accompanied the surprisingly swift acquiescence of his request, made her mouth twist into a grin. It was hard to be annoyed with Harry for very long. Harry winked at her and fell to looking at the notes. Though not by much, Harry at least seemed a little more concerned with his studies, she noted, going back to her own work. Ron leaned over to sneak a peak at the note's Harry had managed to get having dozed off completely that particular day.

The three were so focused on their work that they didn't notice a certain red head approaching.

“Hi, guys!” Ginny greeted them cheerfully. She was holding an armload of books, clearly meaning to settle down and study with them.

“Hey, Ginny,” Hermione replied, forcing a quick smile. Ron and Harry, however, only managed to look extremely uncomfortable, especially when Ron dropped a book on the group, causing a loud thump that caused several students to look around and glare.

Ginny looked confused a little confused by their behavior but didn't say anything.

“Hermione,” she whispered. “I was wondering if you had a moment to help me with this essay for Transfiguration. I don't know why it's giving me so much trouble, but you're the best person to help.”

“Oh yeah, of course I can help, Ginny. Could I meet you upstairs in the Gryffindor common room in about five minutes? I can't really talk much in here. I just want to quick finish up this essay for History of Magic.” Ginny smiled thankfully.

“Yeah, I'll see you in a few,” she said, and took off to grab another book or two. Harry and Ron looked very relieved to see her going.

“Wow, way to get rid of her Hermione! I thought she was going to sit down with us to chat and study. I don't think I could have taken how bloody awkward that would have been!” Ron told her, clearly relieved.

“You're being so stupid about this Ronald. And no offense, but you are as well Harry. Just because she might have to break up with Malfoy doesn't mean she is going to fall into pieces or crumpled into a heap crying when I tell her. Honestly, you two really don't know anything about girls' feelings sometimes,” Hermione snapped in annoyance. She quickly finished over her essay, giving it one last look over as she refused to use a spell to correct her mistakes. Quickly she rolled in up into a neat scroll, placing it in her back along with the rest of her things.

“Well, I'll see you two later. I hope Malfoy doesn't get you in the meantime,” she announced as she got up from her seat. Ron was sulking about being scolded and Harry looked rather guilty, but said nothing.

***

Hermione slowly walked down the hallway towards Gryffindor's dorm not all that eager to face Ginny herself. She knew Ginny would be fine, but what she didn't know was if the younger girl would believe everything she had to tell her. This was a sticky situation no matter what way she looked at it.

Hermione smiled weakly as she stepped in through the portrait hole. Ginny was sitting alone in the common room flipping through a book when she got there. Since it was the weekend, most people were elsewhere studying or visiting with friends from other houses. Ginny smiled when she spotted her.

“Hey, Hermione! I really appreciate you helping me. I know you probably are overwhelmed with work yourself but things have been getting really hard this year. Anyway, I just have to do well on this essay or McGonagall will kill me.”

“Oh, you don't have to thank me. It's really no trouble,” Hermione insisted. She took a seat across from Ginny her favorite chair. “Listen, there's something I have to talk to you about before we go over the essay,” she continued. Ginny nodded, looking curious as to what Hermione was about to say.

“What's going on? Is everything okay?” Hermione sighed and shook her head.

“No, not really, and what I am about to say might sound unbelievable, but I swear I wouldn't lie to you.”

“I know that, Hermione. Please tell what's going on. You're worrying me.”

“Well, a few days ago, Ron, Harry, and I were walking back from class and we heard people whispering. We stopped, curious as to what they were talking about. Turns out it was Malfoy and his old group of friends. From what they were saying it sounds like Draco's father, along with the rest of the Death Eater's are up to something, and no good ever comes of that. It seems he is the same as always, Ginny. I know that you two are together and that you care about him, but for your own safety I had to warn you,” told her, speaking as quickly as possible so that she wouldn't lose her train of thought as she spoke.

Hermione nervously wrung her hands, waiting for Ginny's reaction. Talking the whole thing about it made her feel strangely unsettled. Ron and Harry hadn't been acting that concerned, but she was still very upset about the new possibility of yet another threat to Harry's life.

“Ginny?” she queried. Ron's sister looked strangely calm, although her face was devoid of color.

“Are you sure? Really sure? I am just having such a hard time believing this,” she finally squeaked. Hermione nodded sadly. She rose from her own seat and sat next to Ginny.

“I know this hard to deal with, but it will be okay. There's better guys out there, and I know you wanted to see the change in him, but really some people just can't change or don't want to,” Hermione said, trying to be comforting.

“It just doesn't make any sense. This is crazy really, like a nightmare. I love him and am sure he feels the same way about me. Why would he do this?” Ginny whispered, more to herself than Hermione.

“I-I think I need to go lie down for a little bit and process,” she added, getting up abruptly from the couch.

“That's fine; just don't do anything foolish, like go after him or something. Please.”

Ginny relatively calm reaction was more disquieting that extreme anger or sobbing would have been. Hermione sadly watched her younger friend walk up the stairs and leaned forward, burying her face in her slender hands. This year was supposed to calm, happy. Why did things have to get complicated? She looked up at the sound of someone entering the room. She lifted her head and blinked in surprise to see that it was Harry.

“What are you doing here?” she blurted. Harry smiled uncomfortably.

“I feel bad that Ron and I dumped this on you alone and that was wrong. I am probably too late to help now, as from the look on your face it seems you've told her,” he admitted. Hermione ran up and hugged him in answer.

“Harry, I am so worried,” she whispered, a few tears escaping her brown eyes.

She closed her eyes, feeling his warm breath on her neck.

“It will be fine. I promise. Nothing can be worse than Voldemort right? And we got through that together. Please don't worry. I just hate that you have to deal with all this because of who I am,” he told her sadly.

“Oh, Harry. I don't care. I just don't want anything to happen to you. I love you, you know,” she cried, biting her lip in surprise for letting the last bit escape. To her surprise Harry didn't seem upset by this revelation, as he kissed her heartily in response.

“I love you too, Hermione,” he whispered, kissing her again on the top of the head.

-->

10. A Creeping Darkness


Disclaimer: Harry Potter's not mine, I only wish. Just writing for fun, not to claim the world of Harry Potter as my own.

A/N: I really feel bad for not updating any sooner than this. I had really awful writer's block and it took a while for the idea of what to do with this chapter to come to me. Hopefully, the next one comes more easily. Well, anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter. Thanks as always to those of you who review. I really appreciate it, makes the work of writing totally worth it!!!! 22 days until DH! (Let's hope it has the H/Hr we all want ;) )

Chapter 10 - A Creeping Darkness

Hermione turned over in bed restlessly. She was still ecstatic from the knowledge that Harry loved her. She'd always loved him in some way, though not on the level she had come to in the past few years. Now that she was certain about how she felt she was glad that she had finally managed to tell him. The words had flown, unbidden from her lips, but it had turned out for the best. Times seemed dark again, not unlike like when Voldemort had been alive, and she was glad that Harry knew how she felt about him. Though none of the other students knew about what was going, a dark mood seemed to have settled over the school the past week. The bright spot in it all was her relationship with Harry.

She yawned and sat up, deciding she better get ready for the day. Besides she wanted to get an early start so that she could check on Ginny. The reaction her younger friend had had last night to the startling news about her boyfriend still bothered Hermione. Ginny was a strong young woman, often to the point that gave her a certain reckless quality. Hermione had expected a reaction far stronger than the eerily calm, quiet one Ginny had had to the news about her scum of a boyfriend. Hermione quickly slipped on her school robs and took off to the room in the girls dormitories where the younger girls slept.

As she entered the room she spotted Ginny, awake and sitting up in bed, staring blankly down at a book on her lap. She appeared to be studying, but after watching her for a few minutes, Hermione noted that she never turned the page. One of the other girls, a blonde from Ginny's year that Hermione didn't really know, came up to her looking extremely worried.

“Listen, I know your friends with her. Something is going on with Ginny, I know it. I am not even sure she slept last night. She came up looking like she wanted to kill but went to bed without a word. I don't know what's going on, but I think you need to talk to her,” the girl whispered, her eyes wide in concern. Hermione nodded grimly and murmured thank you. The other girls seemed relieved to have an excuse to go and followed the girl Hermione had talked to out of the room.

Hermione walked over and sat down on the edge Ginny's bed, which sank slightly beneath her weight. “Ginny, what's going on? I know you really cared about Malfoy, but I know you, you aren't someone to get like this over a guy. And besides, he really isn't worth it. You have a right to be angry, he has betrayed you it seems, but you're stronger than this, and better than only wanting revenge.”

Ginny looked up, the glazed appearance finally melting away. A single tear slid down her freckled check, leaving a red trail. She determinedly bit her lower lip which had begun to quiver slightly.

“You, don't understand, Hermione. This isn't all about Malfoy! There's not doubt that I'm furious and extremely hurt about how Draco seems to have deceived me this year, but I am more upset about what this means for all of us. I thought we were finally safe. You and Harry are my friends, and of course I am worried about my brother, as he is always involved in everything with you two. I just don't want to have to deal with the thought of losing more people,” Ginny whispered, her voice strained by the tears she was holding back.

Hermione looked away for a moment, not wanting to meet Ginny's eyes or to deal with the emotions reflected in Ginny's face as they mirrored much of what she had been feeling the other night. She loved Harry and Ron also, though is his case, like a brother. None of the events of the past few days had been welcome to her. The momentary peace at school that she had been enjoying was slipping through her fingers like water.

“No, Ginny, I do understand. I mean, I love Harry! It may sound horribly sappy and not something you want to hear right now, but I love him more than I can really describe. Just knowing that his life is in danger again, well I can hardly think about it without getting upset,” she explained, feeling tears welling in her own eyes.

“Than don't worry about me. I just need to some time to deal with this and process it. I promise I am not going to doing something stupid like going after Draco or anything foolish like that,” Ginny assured her.

“Are you going to break up with him though?” Hermione couldn't help but ask. Ginny frowned slightly, pain written on her face.

“I really don't know. This is just all so complicated. It's going to be hard to act normally around him considering what I know, which isn't even all that much yet. And I am worried that it will seem suspicious to him if there is something going. I guess I am going to attempt to stay with him, until we know more,” Ginny replied, her expression sad but thoughtful. Hermione nodded, she hadn't really thought of how odd it might seem to Malfoy if Ginny broke up with him out of nowhere.

“I guess you're right. I'm just worried about your safety, Ginny. I still feel that no matter what else we learn or don't learn about all this, that Malfoy isn't a very good human being. He just gives me the creeps. But I guess that comes from him wishing I was dead,” Hermione told her with a wry smile. Ginny's mouth twisted into the whisper of a smile.

“It's fine Hermione. I better get going or be late for breakfast and classes. Just let me know if you fine anything out,” Ginny said, closing the book still lying open on her lap. Hermione stood up and nodded, grabbing the book bag she'd brought with her.

“I'll se you later then!” she called out to Ginny as she left the room. She was still worried about her younger friend, but was now focused on finding out more about what was going on. When she walked into the common room she was surprised to see Harry was there alone waiting for her. Usually he went down with Ron. He looked up as she came down the stairs, his expression of anxiety lessening when he saw her.

“Harry is everything all right?” she asked in concern, walking towards him.

“Oh, yeah, didn't mean to worry you. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright and have a moment with you alone before we went down to breakfast where everyone can hear your business,” he told her quickly. Despite what he said, his words were belied by the worry which was clearly visible in his face.

“Is Ginny any better this morning?” he asked.

“Yeah, she'll be fine, Harry. You and Ron should know that she can take care of herself by now. And she doesn't seem to be planning on blowing up Malfoy anytime soon, not that I'd try to stop her if she did. But, she really is taking this all pretty well considering.”

“Well, that's somewhat of a relief.” Harry glanced around the room for a moment to make sure they were still alone and pulled her aside into the corner. She looked down and noticed that he was holding the Daily Prophet clutched tightly in his hand.

“Any news?” she queried, gesturing to the paper. Harry nodded. “That's part of why I wanted to talk to you alone first. There have been some strange accidents happening to a few witches and wizards lately. No, deaths, but some injuries, and all the witches and wizards that were involved were known to oppose Voldemort during the War. It seems Voldemort's followers aren't quiet as stealthy as he is. Some of these things sound a lot like their work. I think there is definitely something behind what Malfoy's friends were asking him about the other day,” Harry told her, opening the paper to show her the article, which surprisingly enough hadn't mad the first page. Hermione frowned

“This is becoming a dangerous situation. We have to find out some way to spy on Malfoy and his friends, so that we can get to the heart of what is really going on, and we don't have time to mess around with something like Polyjuice Potion,” she whispered. He nodded in agreement.

“We got lucky last time when we overheard them. I guess for now the best thing we can do is keep an eye on them without them noticing it, and we can always use the Invisibility Cloak, that has come in handy a lot during our time here,” she told him, a smile forming as she said the last part. Harry grinned also.

“Yeah, we're all getting a bit too tall for it to be of much use anymore though. We can't all fit under it at once,” Harry said thoughtfully. Hermione nodded.

“We'll think of something. Just keep your eyes open. We got lucky last time, but if we keep an eye on Malfoy and some of his stupid friends, we might be able to find out more. He or one of those idiot mates of his are bound to do something that will give them away. And watch out for yourself, Harry. Malfoy might have something planned already, and there's no doubt in my mind that his father wants you dead,” Hermione admonished him worriedly, her brown eyes dark with concern.

“Like I've been telling you, I really will be fine. I mean Professor Trelawney has been predicting my death for years, yet I'm still here,” he joked. She didn't laugh though, and looked a little faint.

“That woman is never right about anything, if she says you'll live to one hundred, than I'll be worried,” she muttered. Harry patted her on the shoulder, awkwardly trying to comfort her.

She gently put her arms around him and hugged him tightly. Harry felt a wave of intense anger wash over him. It made him incredibly furious that even though Voldemort was dead and truly gone this time; the evil wizard was still managing to cause pain in peoples' lives through his followers.

“I'm going to kill Malfoy and all those fouls gits he calls friends. I want them to suffer the way my parents did, and Sirius, and -” Harry hissed, stopping as Hermione looked up him and he realized that he was upsetting her. He remembered a time when he ranted regardless of his friend's feelings and felt a pang of guilty.

“Please don't, Harry. It really isn't worth it. Revenge only make you feel good for so long, you know? They want you to be angry, to act like them, but please don't sink down to their level,” she pleaded, squeezing his hand.

“Sorry, Hermione, I just get so angry when all this affects you. I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on out relationship.” Her eyes widened and flashed angrily.

“Harry Potter! Don't ever say something like that again, I love you, and you're an idiot if you think you're going to get rid of me that easily!” she began to protest hotly. She was interrupted though when Harry leaned down and insistently pressed him lips against hers. Hermione returned the kiss warmly, the anger of the moment forgotten.

She pulled away a moment and whispered, “You better not go thinking that this always going to get you out of things when I'm angry with you.” Harry grinned mischievously.

“Don't worry, I know I just got lucky this time,” he replied and kissed her again.

Hermione walked down the hall, paging through her notes, deep in thought about the essay that had been assigned in Ancient Ruins. Her other classmates had filled out far more quickly, they didn't seem to enjoy the lectures nearly as much as she always did. Harry and Ron had never been convinced that it was a worthwhile class, so they were off in Divination and she had the empty hallways to herself.

Suddenly something caused her attention to shift as she saw a flash of movement out of the corner of her eye. It was someone running past the window outside. Her mind now off Ancient Ruins, she shoved her notes in her bag and began to walk more quickly. She swore that she'd seen Slytherin robes on whoever had just pasted her. Her heart began to beat a little faster. Running to the window she saw the figure disappear around the corner. Hopefully the idiots were going to be stupid enough to talk about their plans in the middle of Hogwarts again, though it would make finding out more information a lot easier. At least this time Malfoy and his mates seemed to planning on meeting somewhere outside. Slowly she made for the nearest way towards the Hogwarts grounds. She had to bit her lip to stop herself from screaming when someone grabbed her shoulder from behind. To her surprise and relief it was Harry standing behind her, looking like he was trying to hold back laughter.

“Really, Harry. You have the worst timing,” she whispered irritably, putting a hand to hear wildly beating. Harry smiled apologetically.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Is there a reason why we are we whispering? Did you loose your voice or something?” he asked quietly. Hermione rolled her eyes.

“No,” she replied her voice still in a whisper. “I just thought I saw someone run by the window. I only managed a little glimpse, but I swear they were wearing Slytherin robes. It could be one of Draco's friends.” She paused a moment, “Besides, what are you doing here?” She glanced at him inquiringly.

Harry colored slightly. “Well, I guess I just wanted to come see you. I know that you were supposed to be out of class buy now, and figured I'd walk with you,” he mumbled. Hermione's expression lightened slightly. She felt bad for being irritable with Harry, but they couldn't afford to loose a chance of finding out more about what was going on by hearing it from the source.

“Come on, Harry!” she said urgently, tugging the sleeve of his rob and motioning for him to follow her. She walked quickly around the grounds, trying to obvious about the fact that she was clearly out looking for someone. Harry struggled to keep up with her fast walk and sudden stops when she thought she spotted something. She came to a sudden halt, and he just avoided knocking her over. He gasped for breathe for a moment, but the noticed the look on her face.

“Down there,” she whispered, pointing over near a grassy area fairly fair away from the main castle. Harry's eyes moved to where she was pointing. Sure enough it was Malfoy and his friends, although there seemed to be more than they had seen last time.

“We have to get over there,” she whispered desperately. Harry rummaged through his bag and pulled out his Invisibility cloak.

“I know it may not be the best answer, but I carried around like you suggested,” he told her with a shrug. Hermione nodded and the expression on her face to him that she was already thinking of how to go about this all.

“We'll get as close as we can to them without it, as it will be hard to walk together very quickly with it on. Once we get close enough we can crouch down and listen in. Hopefully they will be talking more loudly since they're outside. Still not a very good location to be talking about such secretive things, but I don't mind that they aren't being bright. I just hope that we haven't missed too much of the conversation,” Hermione said quickly.

Surreptitiously, she and Harry crept along the wall of the buildings, using a Silencing Charm to mask the noise of their footsteps. Once they got close enough, Harry threw the Invisibility Cloak over her and himself. Hermione had had been right, Malfoy was there with a group of Slytherins that included Crabbe and Goyle, along with other Slytherins. Harry and Hermione walked slowly together, making sure the cloak stayed in place. She grabbed his arm to stop him from going forward anymore, as they could now hear the group.

“I swear the Mudblood knows,” Malfoy was telling the group. Hermione bit her lip to suppress a gasp and looked up wide-eyed at Harry. He reassuringly squeezed her hand, but tried to stay focused on the conversation and ignore his own anger and worry.

“Doubt it. No one could have heard us the other day,” Goyle protested hotly. Malfoy rolled his eyes, letting out a sigh of impatience.

“We were in the middle of the bloody hallway idiot. Anyone that came along could have heard something,” Malfoy retorted. “However, I think maybe I am just being paranoid this time. If she knew she would have run off and told her foul boyfriend Potter and he would be after me. He has to protect everyone you know, I swear, those two deserve each other.” Several of the others snickered in response to Malfoy's comment.

Harry felt Hermione, who was pressed closely to his side, relax slightly.

“What about you and the Weasley girl? Shouldn't you break up with her? What do you even see in her? Her family leaves a lot to be desired,” a blond boy who appeared to be a few years below Draco demanded.

“That's none of any of your business. All I'll say is this, she may be useful in the future,” Draco hissed through clenched teeth.

“Enough about that. Something is going on. My father told me, and we all saw the papers. Your father is mounting an attack in retaliation for the Dark Lord's death isn't he?” demanded a tall, pale boy with greasy black hair and beady, washed-out grey eyes.

“My father told me not to give away too much, but I am now allowed to tell you that yes, something is going on. We all have to be prepared to help if called upon. My father might try to involve the school in his attack. No Mudblood or enemy of Voldemort is safe in the wizarding world will be safe,” Draco whispered with fiendish delight. The group was silent for a moment, processing the weight of the news.

After a few more minutes of chatter, the group slowly drifted off back towards the school, done with their secret meeting, leaving behind a stunned Harry and Hermione, still hidden and silent beneath the Invisibility Cloak.

Next to Harry, Hermione shuddered. Silent tears were running down her face. The threat was real, as she had feared. Harry held her tightly, using every ounce of self-control he possessed to keep himself from throwing off the cloak and blowing up Malfoy and all his friends, who were disappearing in the distance. The last year at Hogwarts, was clearly going to not be one of peace anymore.

-->

11. Not Alone


Disclaimer: Unfortunately, Harry Potter doesn't belong to me. I wish I was JKR and the writer of canon Harry Potter, but I am not.

A/N: I felt horrible for taking so long to update last time, that I am going to post this chapter sooner than I initially intended. It's not terribly look, but I hope it's enjoyable nonetheless. I hate to be annoying, but please review, even if it's just a sentence or two. Maybe it was because the mix-up with the story being updated last time, but I got fewer reviews than ever on the last chapter. Please let me know what you think! Thanks. 19 days until we find out if H/Hr will happen in Deathly Hollows!!! ;)

Chapter 11 - Not Alone

“Miss Granger! Miss Granger, are you quite with us today or has your mind decided to be elsewhere today?” Professor McGonagall asked impatiently, noticing that one of her best students seem to be paying no attention at all to the lesson.

Hermione, who was completely zoned out at the moment, was staring down vacantly at the empty piece of parchment in front of her. She was typically attentive to a fault in class but. However, at the moment her quill, with which usually was nearly warn out by the end of a class from so much use, was sitting next to her idly on the table. Harry frowned in concern and gently elbowed her to get her attention, as she continued to be unresponsive to Professor McGonagall's scolding. Hermione jumped, almost knocking over the chair she was sitting in and looked up at Professor McGonagall. Her cheeks immediately stained pink, as she was suddenly aware that McGonagall and most of the class were staring at her with interest. She knew she'd get the mickey torn out of her later by some of her classmates. At times annoyed by her perfectionist behavior many of them were finding the events of today's class amusing.

Hermione felt just horrible for not paying attention and even worse for being caught and called out on it. And she knew she would be sorry for the hole in her notes when she went to study, but at the moment her mind was so full of other things that for once she was finding it nearly impossible to focus on academic things. As much, as she hated to admit it, there were things more important that books and learning.

“I'm so sorry Professor. I just am a bit out of it today. I apologize. This won't happen again, I swear,” she said quickly, hastily grabbing her quill, her hand now poised over her notes, trying to demonstrate her sincerity. McGonagall walked over, a little closer to where Hermione sat and eyed the young woman questioningly.

“Are you certain that nothing is bothering you Miss Granger. You may go see Madame Pomfrey if you wish,” Professor McGonagall said kindly in a softer voice, so that the whole class couldn't overhear their conversation.

“No, no. I am fine, but thank you,” Hermione insisted adamantly, carefully avoiding her teacher's eyes. McGonagall looked far from persuaded that was the truth of the matter by walked up to the board to continue her lesson anyway. Hermione began jotting down notes at her usual pace, but Harry noted that she didn't have the same expression that he was accustomed to seeing on her face. Hermione loved to learn and it showed as she listened and took notes during a lecture. Today, however, she looked more like she was letting her pen write words that she wasn't really hearing.

Ron was staring over at Hermione, looking rather puzzled by her behavior. He caught Harry's eyes who looking very concerned also. Harry shrugged back at his friend, wondering himself what was bothering his girlfriend. She'd known about the ex-Death Eater's plot for several days now, but until today, her mood hadn't changed so drastically.

Later in the class they attempted a spell that would change a mouse into a quill, not very useful, but just more practice for bigger transformations. Hermione, mastered things like that before everyone else, but at the moment was struggling. She was attempting the spell, but even Harry could tell that she her wand movement was wrong and she was pronouncing the spell incorrectly. He decided not to correct her as she would have. The last thing she needed was criticism. After watching her struggle a few more moments though, he decided to give her a little help. Reaching over her put his hand over hers and did the correct wrist flip that the spell required. She smiled gratefully and soon managed to turn her mouse into a rather nice looking feather quill.

“Very nice, Miss Granger,” Professor McGonagall said in praise. Hermione beamed.

Class ended and everyone filled out. Most everyone had been able to learn the new spell, except for Neville, who had somehow turned him mouse into an teacup rather than a quill.

Harry gently grabbed onto Hermione's arm once they got out in the hallway, not wanting to let her get away without finding out what was on her mind.

“Harry, what are you doing? We'll be late to out next class if we don't hurry,” she protested crossly. Ron had gone on ahead, deciding to let Harry discuss, whatever the problem was alone with his girlfriend.

“Please, just let me know what is going on with you Hermione. You never lose your focus like that in class, Ron would, and I would, but not you. What's bothering you? Is something wrong? Did you find out something more that you're not telling me about?” he inquired, frowning in concern. Hermione looked away, not wanting to look into his beautiful green eyes. Something was bothering her, but she didn't want to share all the details at the moment or she was sure that she would start crying right there in the hallway.

“Harry, I promise we can talk about this later. Just not now,” she whispered, uneasily shifting her weight from one foot to the other as she spoke.

“I'll hold you to that you know,” Harry informed her, his expression serious. Hermione nodded, and they took off quickly for their next class. Hermione sat down next to Neville, as Harry slide in to the seat next to a curious Ron.

“What's bothering her mate?” Ron whispered anxiously. “Is it you know women problems or something?” Ron's voice grew very quiet as he said the last bit.

Harry flushed beet red, looking incredibly uncomfortable, his eyes widening as though he couldn't believe Ron had just asked something like that.

“Bloody hell, Ron! Please don't ever say anything like that again,” Harry protested, still appearing very uneasy.

“Well, what is bothering her then?” Ron pushed. Harry glanced over at Hermione who was pulling out her book for History of Magic.

“I don't know really. She said she'd tell me later,” Harry told him quietly, as class had stared. Hermione glared over at the too of them, clearly annoyed with them for talking while Professor Bines was teaching.

“While, let me know,” Ron said, risking a few more words, before setting about pretending that he was taking notes. Harry did the same, deciding annoying Hermione wouldn't make it any easier to get any information out of her.

***

Harry didn't see Hermione again until dinner. He noticed as she took a seat across from him that she looked incredibly tired. There were bluish circles forming below her brown eyes which at the moment looked sad and empty.

Harry passed Hermione a roll from the basket, noting her plate was empty, hoping that she'd eat at least a little something. She smiled weakly and put it on her plate, though it remained untouched.

“Hermione, you promised to tell me what was bothering you, and don't say nothing because I am not that stupid,” Harry said.

Ron looked up from his, well-stocked and half empty, plate in interest. He looked back at forth from Harry and Hermione as they spoke.

Hermione picked at her roll and then tore it in half.

“Oh, it's nothing to be worried about. I am worrying about N.E.W.T.s of course and obviously about what's going on. And I'm frustrated; I mean really, what are we going to do about all of this? I feel lost as to what to do about all this,” she told him, sounding defeated. She glanced over at Ginny who was looked the same as she felt. Ron sister too sat with a plate of food that she wasn't about to eat. Ron frowned sadly as he saw his sad sister.

“Hermione, since when do you give up? You didn't when we were looking to see what Voldemort was up to before he returned, and you didn't when we had to find the Horcruxes and destroy them. You were so brave during that time. You have to be brave again. Don't worry, it is just a matter of time before we think of a plan,” Harry said encouragingly, though he knew Hermione's worries were valid.

“Okay, Harry,” Hermione whispered, not sounding too convinced. She pushed her plate away after taking a bit of bread and a sip of her pumpkin juice.

“Come on Hermione! We defeat that prat Voldemort. Lucius and his mates should be easier than fooling Crabbe and Goyle into eating a poisoned cupcake,” Ron said brightly. Hermione didn't look convinced.

“I'll see you later Harry, Ron, I need to do some research in the library. I am a bit behind on things,” she told them, getting up and grabbing her book bag off the bench.

“Fine,” Harry said, slightly annoyed that she wasn't telling him the whole story about what was bothering her. Ron reached over and took her leftover roll, munching contentedly. Harry sighed, not feeling hungry himself anymore at the moment.

***

“No!” she screamed as she saw Harry fall after being hit by a spell from the wand of Draco Malfoy, who stood watching with a sick glee as his enemy fell, never to rise again.

“You monster!” she hissed before going over to Harry.

Harry lay motionless on the ground after the green flash of the Avada Kadvra faded away in the moonless night. Hermione screamed, running towards him, though her legs felt suddenly far too heavy, as though there were weights strapped to her ankles.

She knelt on the ground and gently put Harry's head in her lap. His green eyes were open but empty, glazed over in death. She felt numb and empty. Tears spilled freely from her eyes, falling with soft plops to the ground.

“Please, wake up, please wake up!” she pleaded futilely.

Then Malfoy began to approach her.

Hermione awoke at that point the pain of the nightmare waking her. Her sheets were damp with her cold sweat and twisted all around her. Desperately, she pulled herself free from them, as though it would help free her from the horror of her vividly chilling dream. Now she truly understood some of what it must have been like for Harry to have those horrible nightmares he had been plagued by. Since overhearing Malfoy and his friends the other day, her mind had been weaving horrible dreams that seemed all too real. A wave of horror washed over her. What if the dreams meant something? It happened sometimes. It was not completely logically, but it happened. She'd had dreams like this for several nights now and the emotions that they played on had begun to leave an impacted.

She got up and swung her legs over the side of the bed and slid her feet into her slippers to avoid walking barefoot on the cold floor. She had to see Harry, had to prove to herself that he was fine, as foolish as she felt. Quickly she padded down the stairs to common room. Taking a deep breath she began to climb the stairs to the boy's dormitory, thankful that the founder's of the school had decided that girls were the trustworthy ones. Carefully, she pushed open the partially closed door to the room Harry shared with several other boys, including Ron. She hoped with all of her might that neither Ron, nor any of the other boys were awake. Her heart hammered against her chest like a trapped animal in a cage. She put her hand to her chest, as though to muffle the sound which was loud in her ears.

Slowly she made her way over to Harry's bed, trying not to fall over the various items of clothing and other things the boys had left strewn across the floor. She paused for a moment looking around at the five beds in the room. Luckily all the boys appeared to be sleeping soundly. Ron was snoring quite loudly in the bed next to Harry's. The curtains around the Harry's poster bed were only partially closed. From what she could she, he seemed to be asleep like the rest of his dorm mates. She moved closer to his bed, still trying to move quietly. Tenderly, she brushed strands of his dark hair from his eyes as she looked down at his peaceful face. She smiled, never having realized before how long and thick Harry's eyelashes were. Nervously, she shook him slightly to see if he'd wake. She'd woken him from a nightmare once; she was glad that this time that wasn't the case. He gentle shake seemed to be enough, as his eyes flew open, blinking up at her in surprise. His emerald eyes seemed to almost glow in the moonlight that slanted across his face.

“Hermione,” Harry breathed. Wordlessly she climbed into bed next to him without invitation, but he didn't say a word in protest. He moved over close to her and she slide into his inviting arms.

“Are you okay?” he whispered into her hair, gently running his fingers through her bushy curls.

“I'm just being silly really, it was only a nightmare. But, I needed to see you. To make sure that you were okay,” she replied softly, a sob catching in her throat, a tear slide down her cheek.

“Oh, Hermione,” he murmured. He took her face in his hands and kissed her tenderly. Her lips formed a smile beneath his. Hermione sighed contentedly, and rested her head on his shoulder. They lay quietly together, and it didn't take look for her to drift off to sleep in his arms. Harry smiled down at her sleeping face and pulled the curtain around his bed tightly shut around them, soon drifting off to sleep himself, the person he loved most in the world held safely in his arms.

-->

12. No Turning Back


Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter does not belong to me, I only wish. This plotline of this story that isn't canon, is mine

A/N: Since I definitely won't be done with this story before DH comes out, I wanted to let you all know that I will be continuing the storyline as planned, even if the story has to be AU. If Harry dies or the ships in canon end up being Ron/Hermione, Harry/anyone other than Hermione (especially Harry/Ginny *winces*), I will continue as if none of this happened. Harry/Hermione forever! That's what fan fiction is for after all, playing with the story to make it the way we wish it was? Just wanted to make sure that was clear. My guess is that other authors on the board will do the same, after all fan fiction is all about molding the characters and the plot in directions you wanted it to take but it's didn't. Okay, now I'm rambling and you all are probably really wishing that I'd just be quiet so that you could get on with reading the new chapter, so enjoy! It's a bit longer than some of the others, which I felt you all deserved since I took so long to update, and since I reached 100 reviews. Yea! Keep reading and reviewing.

Chapter 12 - No Turning Back

Hermione shifted underneath the covers, letting out a soft noise of annoyance, burying her face in the pillow to block the sunlight that was shining through the windowpanes, as she slowly drifted awake. As she turned over, her stomach flipped as she realized that she wasn't in her own bed. She quickly remembered that she had come to see Harry last night after her nightmare, and wondered what time it was. It probably would be best not to get caught in bed with Harry, despite the fact that nothing had happened. She noted that Harry was breathing slowly and evenly, still asleep.

Slowly she rolled onto her side and opened her eyes. Anxiously she peered around, soon noticing that it was far too late to make a stealthy get away. She and Harry had an audience. Ron, Dean, Seamus, and Neville were all gathered around Harry's bed, exchanging looks and whispering amongst themselves. Ron looked absolutely disturbed, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. Neville appeared to be slightly confused about what was going on and the other two boys were sharing amused glances, almost as though they had expected to wake-up to find her in Harry's bed at some point during term.

Hermione felt her face burning in mortification as she pulled the blankets up over her head for a moment to hide; not really wanting to meet the questioning faces of the boys crowded around her boyfriend's bed. She elbowed Harry in the back hard to wake him up. He made a sort of angry snort in protest, but was silenced when he saw his friends staring at the two of them.

“I thought I bloody closed the curtains,” he mumbled in irritation to himself, still sounding quite groggy.

“I don't think that the founders should have trusted the girls any more than they did us boys. It seems to me girls take advantage of it. Then again whoever though it would be Hermione Granger to push the rules this far,” Dean commented with an amused smirk, holding back a laugh.

Seamus and Neville sniggered loudly, making no effort to hide their amusement about the whole thing. Ron was looking rather ill by this point, clearly disturbed by the fact that he thought his two best friends had just shagged in the boys dorm.

“It's really not what you think, you filthy minded gits!” Harry demanded, getting up out of bed and putting on his glasses which sat on the table near his bed. “I mean look!”

He pulled the covers off Hermione to show that she was still fully clothed in her pajama top and bottoms. Hermione's face turned a shade pinker if that was even possible. She climbed out of Harry's bed and searched around the floor for her slippers, starting to feel less embarrassed and rather angry at the boys were assuming the worst of her and Harry.

“Potter, don't tell us the two of you innocently shared a bed last night. You're a teenage boy for the love of Merlin! We all figured you and Granger had shagged plenty of times already, just didn't think you too were bold enough to do it right in the dorms. Imagine if McGonagall saw this,” Seamus told him with a laugh. Harry's expression darkened, clearly he was not amused.

“I tell you we didn't do anything last night, and even if we did, it's none of you lot's business anyway. You all better not go spreading this nonsense around either. Hermione and I could risk getting in major trouble,” Harry snapped, rumpling his out of control hair in frustration. “Besides, you have no business to talk, Seamus. All you do is talk about how many women you've scored with.”

“Are you sure nothing happened between you two?” Ron asked weakly, his cast still rather greenish, looking much as he had before his first Quidditch match fifth year.

“Ronald, honestly, you should believe your best friends! Like Harry said, absolutely nothing happened. You all just have incredibly vulgar minds and are out to cause trouble where there is none,” Hermione snapped, her face suffused with anger.

Ron wilted slightly under Hermione's wrath. “Oh, I believe you Hermione, I swear!” Ron replied hastily. Hermione didn't quite look convinced. She crossed her arms and shot a scathing glance at the rest of the boys, as though she was daring them to challenge her word. They all sifted around uncomfortably, keeping the eyes averted.

“Harry, I'm really sorry, but I have to get back to the girls dorm. I'm sure I'll have to deal with that lot as well,” Hermione announced, turning to look at her boyfriend.

“Sure, Hermione, I'll see you later,” he mumbled.

She took off quickly for the door, her footsteps loud on the stone stars that let down to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“So, what's it like, Harry?” Neville asked shyly, looking curious but uncomfortable.

Harry groaned. “What are we, girls all of the sudden? I told you all that nothing happened, now can we please just drop it. And if anything did happen I would never sit around and tell you four all about it. There really are more important things to be worrying about.” He angrily snatched his robes up from where they were lying on the floor.

Ron nodded in agreement to Harry's sentiments, looking closer to his normal color. “Harry's right. You all are meddling where you shouldn't, and if you don't believe Harry, at least give him some bloody peace!”

Dean and Seamus looked slightly put out, and deciding there was no more fun to be had at Harry's expense for the moment, headed down to breakfast shortly after. Ron looked over at Harry appraisingly a moment, then glanced down at the bed, shrugged and mumbled something about how they should probably hurry down to breakfast. Harry sighed in frustration and pulled on his robes.

“Thanks, Ron,” he said, looking up at his best friend, wondering if Ron really had believed him and Hermione. Ron rearranged his features into a weak smile and waited for Harry before taking down to breakfast.

Hermione meanwhile, was dealing with her own set of questions and curious glances. She happened to pass Lavender on her way up the stairs to the girl's dorms; she was greeted with a cold glare. Gossip traveled far too quickly at Hogwarts it seemed.

Ginny was sitting on Hermione's bed waiting for her when she got back to the room. There were several other girls that shared the dorm with Hermione hanging around that clearly must have alerted Ginny to the fact that she hadn't been there this morning. Ron's sister seemed to be in a much brighter mood than the last time her and Hermione had talked. The other girls in the room seemed to waiting around to discreetly listen in. Ginny noticed and gave them a look that made them leave quickly.

Ginny smiled at her older friend, clearly holding back a laugh, and wasted no time in grilling her friend.

“Why didn't you tell me!?!” she demanded in a loud whisper as Hermione sat down on the bed next to her.

“Tell you what?” Hermione asked wearily, though she was sure that she knew the answer to the question.

“You know what Granger! You and Harry, you know, shagged last night didn't you? I figured you would have told me that you were planning on taking that step with Harry, but I suppose if it just happened in the moment, you really couldn't,” Ginny babbled excitedly. Hermione rolled her eyes and held back an angry remark.

“No, no, Ginny, I swear we didn't. Why does everyone assume that's what happened? I mean I could have fallen asleep in the library for goodness sake!”

Ginny frowned slightly, looking completely unconvinced.

Her bushy haired friend threw up her hands in frustration. “I mean really, everyone around here has their minds completely in the gutter!” she exclaimed exasperatedly. “If only Umbridge knew how standards have slipped.”

Ginny frowned for a moment at the thought of their horrible former teacher and then laughed.

“Oh fine, Hermione. It seems you're telling the truth, but we'll be having this talk again at some point I think,” Ginny told her with a smug assurance, as she gathered up some of her books from the floor stuffing them hurriedly in her bag.

“If that's what you choose to tell yourself,” Hermione sniffed, as she began bustling about the room to get dressed and ready. She was already so far behind her usual schedule that she would probably have to miss breakfast, not that she would mind the stares of people as she sat down next to Harry. Hoisting her bag onto her shoulder she sighed wearily; it threatened to be a very long day.

Harry and Hermione didn't have chance to talk about their interesting morning, until after Herbology in the afternoon. The boys from Harry's dorm at least seemed to have had the sense not to spread the rumor around the school, as the two of them had gotten very few glances or whispers from other students so far.

“I'm really sorry about this mess, Harry,” Hermione told him, as the walked across the courtyard to the library to get some homework done before their next class. “I shouldn't have come to see you last night like that.” She nervously placed with a strange of her hair.

Harry frowned. “Hermione, don't you dare apologize. I could care less about what those gits had to say. Really, I'm the one who should be sorry. I should have warned you that they'd be childish idiots if you were still with me when they woke up. I hate that people are saying something about you that isn't true.”

Hermione flushed slightly.

“Still, I hate involving you in rumors, Harry. You've been talked about enough over the years at this place,” she said sadly. A muscle in his check flinched, but he shook his head.

“Really, it doesn't matter anymore. I'd much rather be involved in a rumor like this, than one in which people are calling me a murder or a nutter, so just don't worry about it anymore,” he said firmly, his jaw set in determination. She smiled and took his hand, squeezing it affectionately.

“Harry, I'm sorry if I ever didn't understand enough in the past. People have made fun of me before, but I've never had to deal with things the way you have,” she said sadly. Harry smiled, and looked slightly uncomfortable.

“Yeah, well that's the past eh.” His eyes widened a moment, as a thought hit him.

“Just realized that I left my bloody Potions book behind, Hermione. I'll be right back. Go ahead to the library without me, I'll meet you there,” he told her. She nodded and watched Harry run across the school grounds. She sighed, wishing that she didn't have Draco's father and his scummy Death Eater lot to deal with. The year would have been so wonderful without it.

She was lost in thoughts about Harry, when someone stepped in front of her, blocking her path. She blinked and looked up to see Malfoy. His usual cold sneer was in place, yet he looked oddly amused.

“How's it going?” he said with an eerie grin.

“I'm fine thanks, much better than your father who belongs in Azkaban,” she responded, smiling sweetly. The smile disappeared from his face, but he chose to ignore her comment for the moment.

“So, Granger, I hear that you and Potter are quite the cute couple. Good think Potter's blind, must need new glasses,” he scoffed. “You two deserve each I suppose, although I still don't see why he'd go for a filthy Mudblood like yourself.”

Hermione fixed an icy glare on him. “Why does it matter to you? It's not like I stole Harry from you or something,” she retorted. Malfoy frowned.

“What did I tell you about talking back to me you filthy little know-it-all!” he spat, his eyes stony in anger. “Don't think I don't know that you and Potter are following. What with his desire to save everyone, and yours to know everything, I figured you'd suspect something was up soon enough.”

He stepped forward, suddenly drawing his wand. She took a step back as he pointed it at her chest like a dagger, and bit her lip to keep a small cry of fright from escaping her lips. Malfoy was likely bluffing for the most part, and she couldn't risk giving herself away, by acting guilty of knowing more than even he might guess.

“You're not frightening me, Draco. I know that you wouldn't dare use any harmful magic against me in the school. You wouldn't risk disappointing your father any further than you already have. I really don't know what you're talking about. Harry and I know nothing. You seem awfully paranoid to me, it seems as though you're up to something and just gave yourself away,” Hermione said, keeping her expression blank and trying to sound confident, even though her heart was beating wildly in her chest like a wild Hippogriff. Surreptitiously she slid her hand into the pocket of her robes, and wrapped her fingers around her wand tightly.

“Oh, I wouldn't would I?” he replied scornfully, taking no notice of the fact that her wand was now out. “I'd be a little nicer to me if I were you, Granger. You don't want to be upsetting your enemies in times like this, and you wouldn't want a terrible accident or something of the sort to happen to Potter, now would you? You and Potter clearly know something.”

Hermione attempted to keep her face devoid of any emotion that would give her away.

“Times like what? I really have no clue what you're talking about, you miserable boy. If I were you, I wouldn't be spilling information all over the place. You never did learn when to keep your mouth shut,” she spat, her pulse throbbing in her head. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been so angry. He jabbed his wand harder against her chest. She raised her own, her dark eyes stony.

“I know you're lying through your teeth you little Mudblood. You can't fool me! After all, why would Ginny suddenly act so coldly towards me lately, huh? I am sure you told her something that you heard, and I will find out what!” he told her hotly.

A scornful smile spread across her lips. “So, that's it. You're girlfriend doesn't want you anymore, and you needed to find someone or something to blame it on. No offense, but your winning personality isn't enough to hold onto a girl, unless it happens to be some mindless scum like Pansy,” she said, her voice nearly a hiss.

Malfoy let out a mirthless laugh, but looked slightly less cocky. His grey eyes narrowed.

“You've been warned; you and Potter are being watched. Enjoy your sickening romance and happiness while you can,” Malfoy told her cryptically, lowering his wand and stepping away from her. He sneered back at her and then took off into the school.

Hermione kept her own wand high and pointed at him, until Draco was completely out of sight. She put a hand to her forehead, wiping away the cold sweat that had formed. She stood there in the courtyard for a few moments, extremely shaken by her encounter with Malfoy, her mind racing. Harry, she had to find Harry!

She turned around and raced towards the Gryffindors dormitories, hoping to catch Harry before he reached the library, taking the path she expected he'd use. Extremely distraught, she bumped into Harry, literally.

He let out a noise of pain as she contacted him solidly.

“Hermione, what's the rush? We still have plenty of time before our next class?” he exclaimed, while putting a hand to his chest, still in pain from having the wind knocked out of him.

Hermione grabbed his arm and pulled him into the nearest broom closet. Harry smiled for a moment and leaned down to kiss her. Gently she pushed him away.

“No, Harry, that's not why I brought you in here! Something's happened, and it's not good,” she explained, her eyes wide. Harry looked down at her worriedly.

Before Harry could speak she quickly told him about her encounter with Malfoy.

“He didn't hurt you, right?” Harry demanded, looking her over.

“No, no, Harry. I'm fine, I swear. I am just really worried about what he's going to do next. He knows that we've had our eye on him and his mates, so it will be even harder to find out information. Also, he scares me. He seems extremely eager to avenge his father and to prove himself. I am afraid that you'll be attacked, Harry,” she said, her voice growing strained with emotion.

Harry sighed, looking very concerned about all that he had just heard. He looked down into her eyes sadly.

“Hermione, if you feel like you'd be safer, not being involved with me, I understand. It's why I broke up with Ginny. And it's even worse this time because I love you, and selfishly, letting you go is the last thing I want to do,” he said quietly.

She inhaled sharply, her mouth set in a hard line as she returned his gaze. “Don't you ever mention anything like that again, I swear Harry! I love you too, so much. Besides, no offense, but your logic is rubbish because even without you, being Muggle born makes me a target no matter what,” she told him assuredly, and then hugging him tightly.

“I suppose you're right, Hermione,” he said tenderly.

She smiled. “I always am,” she replied with a laugh. He grinned and kissed her. Despite the trouble and darkness that was ahead of him, the future seemed less grim with Hermione by his side.

-->

13. Light in Darkness


A/N: I apologize for taking so very long with writing and posting a new chapter. For the last week or so I have been pretty busy with reading the new book, and then recovering from the new book ;) Ah, thank goodness for the world of fan fiction though!! H/Hr lives on!!! But at last I have a new chapter finished. This chapter is a bit fluffy, but after DH I thought the world could use some H/Hr love. Hope you enjoy it! Please review, it makes me ever so happy. (And I apologize for errors, but I could not resist posting this after only a quick read thru, I will go back and edit).

Chapter 13 - Light in the Darkness

It had been several days since the run in with Malfoy. Hermione had had to beg Harry not to go after Malfoy in retaliation. Yes, she wouldn't have minded seeing Harry curse the heck out of the little rat, but it just made her and Harry looking guilty of knowing more than they were supposed to. Their Slytherin enemy's suspicions were high enough without having Harry add to them. Harry and Hermione had only told Ron about what happened. Hermione had wisely suggested not telling Ginny about the confrontation with Malfoy, at least yet.

The three friends feared that Ginny might not be having been able to resist taking action which would most likely blow their cover. If Malfoy thought her cold attitude towards him of late was suspicious, having Ginny curse him would make things even worse. Ron meanwhile, had managed to slip of the Twins' Nosebleed Nougats into Malfoy's food and the pale Slytherin had quite the mishap at breakfast that morning. Draco's features had appeared even more colorless than usual. Harry, however, was uncomfortably reminded of the time he had use Sectusempra on Malfoy, but laughed along with the rest of the Gryffindors as Malfoy ran out, flanked by his two apish friends Crabbe and Goyle. He had to admit that Malfoy certainly had it coming, and hoped Madame Pomfrey had enough blood replenishing potion on hand.

Later that evening, Hermione sat next to Harry on a couch in the common room reading through a book for Ancient Runes, but was getting very little reading done. It seemed to her that no matter how hard she concentrated her mind was too busy dwelling on other things for her to focus on schoolwork. This was unusual for her. School work had been a comfort at times, now it seemed strangely pointless.

Ron sat off to the side in a large chair, also studying. At the moment, however, he was angrily trying to get Crookshanks to leave him alone. Hermione's bushy ginger cat had found it amusing to bat his paw at Ron's face and had left a scratch or two on the red head's freckled checks. Desperately, Ron batted the cats paw away. Harry chuckled a little more loudly than he had intended to and was rewarded with a sour look from Ron. Hermione didn't look up at all, her face set in a firm mask of concentration. Her boyfriends smile twisted into a worried frown. He was betting that things that Draco had said the other day were still weighing heavily on her mind.

“Bloody cat!” Ron exclaimed rather loudly. He managed to startle a group of whispering second year girls huddled at a table in the corner. Hermione finally glanced up, but her expression remained solemn though Harry thought he saw the corner of her mouth twitch as though she had been tempted to smile.

“Crookshanks get over here!” she reprimanded her feline friend sternly. He meowed in annoyance, but hopped off the chair and slunk over towards her.

“I swear that cat's possessed,” Ron complained, looking relieved to be rid of his feline bully.

“Oh, you're being a baby. I think you could have taken him,” Hermione responded irritably.

“Did you see my face though?” he asked crossly, pointing to the small scratch Crookshanks had given him. Harry rolled his eyes at the same time as Hermione.

“She's right you know, you are a baby,” Harry informed him, smoothing out the roll of parchment his was writing his essay on.

Ron frowned and turned back to his work, mumbling unintelligibly, although Harry was certain he hear several some choice words for Crookshanks. He looked over at his girlfriend, who appeared to be deep in thought once again, though she seemed to be staring at the pages of her book rather than actually reading it. His stomach twisted slightly in guilt. Was she still concerned about what had happened with Malfoy, or was she upset by the fact that he had tried to break up with her?

“Hermione, could you help me with this essay for moment?” he said trying to get her attention focused on something other than the thoughts running through her head.

She jumped slightly at the sound of his voice in her ear. Collecting herself, she attempted to smile, her mouth refused to obey though. Slowly she held out her hand, “Of course, Harry. Let me see what you have so far.”

She blinked in surprise to see that the whole thing was nearly done. Ron and Harry usually came to her for help expecting her to write nearly the whole essay for them, especially Ron. Harry leaned closer to her as she read through his essay.

“Are you getting enough sleep? Not still having bad dreams are you?” he whispered, his lips lightly brushing against her ear as he spoke. Hermione reached down and gently squeezed his hand.

Ron looked up, made a slightly grossed out face, and returned to his homework, hoping that his two best friends weren't feeling like having a nice snog.

“No, I just have a lot on my mind. N.E.W.T.s are getting closer, and I taking a really full class load. I'll be fine. I promise,” she replied in a hushed voice. Harry frowned slightly, unsatisfied with her answer, but nodded.

“Your essay looks fine by the way, but I'd try to write so sort of conclusion to tie things up,” she said in a normal voice. She handed him back the roll of parchment.

“Thanks,” he said, turning his attention to scribbling down a short conclusion, deciding to wait until they were alone to press her further. The three friends worked for about an hour in silence before Ron stretched and yawned rather loudly. The common room had emptied out; the lone person left was Neville, who sitting in the corner hunched over what seemed to be a Potions book. Harry made a mental not to ask Hermione to help out Neville at some point before N.E.W.T.s.

“You come up Harry?” Ron asked sleepily, as he stood up and gathered his stuff up. Harry shook his head.

“Yeah, but go on ahead without me,” Harry replied, glancing over at Hermione. Ron shrugged and headed up, stopping for moment to chat with Neville, who informed him that he was heading up also having given up on Potions for the night.

Finally it was just Harry and Hermione.

Harry reached over and gentled pulled the book in Hermione's lap away which effectively got him to look up him.

“Harry, you really can go up to bed. I told you, I am just getting stressed out over getting all this work and studying done,” she told him when she saw the expression on his face as he looked at her.

She hastily snatched her book back. Harry leaned in and heartily kissed her lips as she did. He hadn't really noticed until that moment just how pretty she looked when she was annoyed, and he couldn't resist the urge to kiss her at that moment. He had expected her to push him away in annoyance, but to his surprise she eagerly returned the kiss. After a few minutes the two breathlessly pulled apart.

Hermione smiled at Harry, her cheeks stained slightly pink. Harry grinned back, looking a little confused but happy.

“Thanks, Hermione,” he said unabashedly.

“No, I should be thanking you Harry. I am really glad we're together you know. Now matter what happens we always help each other through the worst. You always know what to do to make things seem better,” she replied, her eyes darkening with emotion.

Harry's face flushed slightly. “I can see now why you've really always been the one, Hermione.” He tenderly kissed her on the forehead. Hermione felt her eyes fill with tears as she leaned her head against his shoulder.

“Now, you'd better be getting to bed,” he admonished her, gathering up some of her books which were scattered all around her.

“Yeah, I suppose,” she said reluctantly, a yawn escaping as she spoke.

“Tomorrows the weekend you know. You'll have plenty of time to work yourself like crazy and have no fun,” Harry told her in a joking tone. She rolled her eyes and pretended to look annoyed. Harry smiled at her again in a way that made her blush.

“What?” she asked nervously as she grabbed a book from the floor.

“Hermione, I was just realizing that we've never even had a proper date, and it's a Hogsmeade weekend. Do you think you'd be able to take a little break from studying?” he asked, looking adorably nervous as he spoke. Hermione tried not to giggle as she watched him shift nervously on the couch next to her. Putting him out of his misery she threw her arms around his neck, squeezing him tightly.

“Is that a yes?” he asked with a laugh.

“Of course!” she said, sounding a lot like she did when answering a question in class that she felt everyone should have known.

“Love you,” he whispered, getting up from the couch and planting a kiss on her cheek.

“I'll see you tomorrow in the common room before breakfast.” Hermione nodded, smiling in a rather Luna-like dreamy manner at Harry as he walked up the stairs to the boys' dorms. She squealed softly to herself in excitement and then ran upstairs to her own room to get some sleep herself. She had been feeling emotionally exhausted by everything that had been going on lately, but for once she felt that she going to get a good night's sleep. Besides the sooner she fell asleep the sooner the wonderful weekend would come.

***

Hermione awoke the next morning ready for the day to begin. Lavender looked on rather sourly as Hermione bustled cheerfully around getting ready and left rather early for breakfast, whispering heatedly to Pavarti as they headed down to breakfast together. Hermione chose to ignore, relishing a little in their jealousy.

Since they weren't required to wear their robes to Hogsmeade, but it made getting ready a little harder than usual. After consulting Ginny, she decided on a jeans and a pretty red jumper. It was still cold, as spring had not yet arrived, so she grabbed her scarf and coat. Her hair was being a little less uncontrollable than usual today and for that she was thankful. She managed to tie part of it up and smooth most of the frizz.

She quickly headed down to the common room, where Ron and Harry were already there waiting for her. The scene that greeted her was rather amusing. She said nothing, as their conversation was too amusing to interrupt just yet.

Ron seemed to be consulting Harry on his appearance.

“You know, you really should've worn something with some green in it mate, would've done wonders you know, brought out your eyes and all that rubbish,” Ron informed, as scrutinized his best friends appearance. Harry frowned and futilely attempted to flatten bits of his unruly black hair. Hermione quite approved of the dark gray shirt he was wearing.

“What do you know about dating girls Ron? All you and Lavender ever did was snog,” Harry told him, his nerves making him rather irritable.

“I dated one or two other girls after her you know,” Ron retorted, his ears turning a bit pink. Harry looked suddenly uncomfortable, remembering that Ron and Hermione had been together for a time. He hated the thought that she hadn't always been with him.

“Well, besides lacking a bloody shirt that brings out my stunning green eyes down I look a mess or not?” Harry asked quickly bringing some levity back to the conversation.

“You don't look too awful, I guess,” Ron said with a shrug. Hermione cleared her throat, catching the attention of both of them. Harry looked up at her and smiled brightly, his mouth hanging open a little. She felt herself blush a little.

“You two ladies ready for breakfast,” she said, a giggle escaping as she spoke. Ron and Harry both looked slightly mortified that they had been overheard.

“You just don't understand blokes Hermione,” Ron told her defensively. She rolled her eyes.

“And you understand females so well Ronald,” she replied coolly. She intertwined her fingers in Harry's as they stepped out of the portrait hole.

The Great Hall was bustling as everyone was eager to head out to Hogsmeade. It seemed that quiet a few students were running low on the Weasley twins' wares and candy from Honeydukes.

Harry and Hermione were both rather nervous and so didn't eat much, and Ron willing ate enough to make up for the both of them.

“It will be great to get away from school for a while,” he said through a mouthful of eggs, “I feel like all I've done is study and write essays for ever single professor in the school.”

Harry smiled as he watched an expression of displeasure creep across Hermione's features. No matter how much it stressed her out, it wasn't capable to convince her that schoolwork wasn't enjoyable. She bit her lip, clearly holding back on whatever retort to Ron's comment had popped into her head. Saying nothing though wasn't possible.

“That work is important you know. The professors assign for a good reason. After all, you don't want to get all Trolls on your N.E.W.T.s do you?” she said matter-of-factly, a toned down version of what she had been tempted to say.

Ron just shrugged and shoved some more food into his mouth. Finally the three finished eating and headed over to wait with the rest of the crowd that was gathering to head out to Hogsmeade. After about ten minutes, they all set off for town.

Harry and Hermione split away from Ron, promising to rejoin him latter at his brother's shop. They watched him walked off with Neville and Luna. The couple was left nervously standing together.

“So, um, where you like to go? I know Madame Puddlefoot's is kind of popular, though I can't see why,” Harry said, while nervously fiddling with the fringe on his scarf. Hermione laughed, remembering his car wreck of date with Cho. She smiled remembering that Cho had been angered because Harry had talked about her too much.

“No, actually I was thinking the Three Broomsticks would be good,” she replied.

“Really?” he said, looking rather relieved. “It's not very romantic, and a bit noisy. Are you sure?” He looked at her, cheeks red from the cold and wondered why he had ever bothered to deal with girls like Cho in the first place.

Hermione grabbed his gloved hand in her own and began to head towards place. “I'm sure Harry.” He grinned and squeezed her hand.

They walked in and were pleasantly surprised to see that the place was a little less crowded than usual. Pushing through the room they managed to find a cozy booth way in the back for two. Harry rushed off to buy them butterbeers and returned with them and a pretty white lily. Hermione gasped appreciatively.

“Harry, where did you get this?” she asked, as she sniffed the perfect flower.

“Oh, I was carrying it in my coat. I had to do a bit of a repairing charm on it, but it doesn't look too bad considering,” he told her, as he slid back in the booth. She kissed him warmly on the cheek and cuddled up against him.

“'Who said this place isn't romantic?” she laughed.

It turned it was. They spent several hours talking and laughing without really noticing anyone else in the place. Reluctantly they decided it was time to go meet Ron as they had promised before they had to head back to school.

As they neared the Weasley Twins' shop, Harry pulled her into an alley and kissed her warmly. Hermione snuck her arms inside his open coat, sliding her arms around his waist. There kiss, however, was interrupted far too soon.

“Oi! Get a room you too!” they heard the familiar voice of their redheaded best friend yell. Apparently he had been rather late arriving himself. They cozy couple begrudgingly pulled apart.

“Great timing as always Weasley,” Harry said grumpily as he and Hermione joined Ron who was still accompanied by Neville and Luna.

“Hi, guys!” Hermione said warmly to their two friends and former DA members. Luna blinked dreamily and Neville smiled awkwardly, the same as ever.

“I really need some Nosebleed Nougats,” Ron announced dramatically. “I don't think I can make it all the way through another one of Snape's classes.”

“You know that will never work with Professor Snape,” Hermione snapped matter-of-factly, brushing an errant frizzy curl behind her ear.

Harry smiled at his arguing best friends, a warm feeling filling him. Despite the bad things that had been going on lately, some things about this year had been brilliant. Being with Hermione and old friends was like something out of a wonderful dream.

-->

14. Note to the Readers


Author's Note!

I just wanted to post this to let my readers know that I have not abandoned this story. I really want to continue this story. Of all the things I have written and posted this is the one that I am most satisfied with. I felt that it wouldn't do it just to write a rushed chapter here and there just for the sake of having something to post. I have really been considering where I want the plotline to go, and I intend to have 10+ chapters if possible to add to this story before I wrap it up. I hope to have a new chapter for you all within the week. Thanks for all your reviews and for reading the story so far, I hope you all stay along for the rest. Thanks!

~Memoryspell48

-->

15. Slytherin Secrets


Author's Note: Here's a late Christmas present for you all! A new chapter at last! It was has been far too long since I updated this story, and I apologize. I had a bit of a writer's block, and then I just didn't have time to write and least write anything that I felt would good enough to post. I hope you all enjoy the new chapter, and I plan on having the next chapter up far sooner.

Read, review, and enjoy!

Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter and all canon characters belong to JKR! I am certainly not JKR, so the Harry Potter series is not mine, I only wish.

Chapter 14 - Slytherin Secrets

People were slowly trickling into the badly lit Potions room for their class. Meanwhile, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were rushing down the hallway together to the dungeons were the classroom was, running behind because Ron had woken up late and then insisted on having one more helping of eggs and bacon at breakfast before the food was cleared away.

“If we're late, I will tell Professor Snape that it's because of your gluttonous eating habits!” Hermione said in irritation, her checks flushed from exertion and her eyes flashing.

Ron pretended to ignore her though he immediately looked very cross. Harry offered to take some of Hermione's books, which he was sure were slowing her down. She always seemed to being toting around twice as many as he or Ron was.

“Do you have to have the school library's entire collection of books with you at all times?” asked Ron scornfully as he watched Hermione hand several books to her boyfriend.

“As a matter of fact, this isn't even close to how many books I own, or how many books are housed in the school's library. Clearly you have forgotten how to count. Besides, unlike you Ronald, I find that is useful to actually bring the books the book to class that professors ask us to.”

Ron opened his mouth as if to say something in reply, but thought the better of it and simply sulked for a few minutes.

The three friends entered the room, quite out of breath, but looked around in surprise to see that the annoyingly punctual Professor Snape was nowhere to be seen. They exchanged joyful glances, hardly believing their luck.

Harry took a seat next to Hermione across the aisle from where Ron plopped his things down. The two boys exchanged confused glances.

“Oi, Seamus, where's our git of a Potions master??” Ron asked as he plopped down in the seat next to him.

“Don't know,” Seamus said with a shrug, “Then again, I really don't care if he never shows up. Where's Neville? Maybe Snape cornered him in the hallway and is yelling at him for something even before class.”

“I'm right behind you actually,” Neville piped up, sounding rather indignant but looking a little concerned about the prospect that he would probably get yelled at by Snape at some point that day anyway.

“Well, maybe he decided to finally take a bath, and he's having trouble figuring out how a faucet works,” Ron joked causing a ripple of laughter among the students in hearing distance from him.

Hermione set about getting out her books and some parchment, but looked up in curiosity when she noted that Harry's laugh wasn't among the group of people chuckling at Ron's joke. His mind clearly seemed to be elsewhere. Lightly she placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Harry, is something the matter? You look a bit funny. Not worried about Snape are you?” she asked in a concern, her mouth twisting into a smile as she asked the last bit.

“Hey, did you notice that Malfoy's not here either?” he whispered urgently, ignoring her questions and joke.

Hermione glanced around the room. Draco was nowhere to be seen, though his thugs of best friends were in their usually seats. She frowned slightly knowing where Harry's mind had run off to with this piece of information.

“I know we have a reason to be suspicious of Malfoy, but I'm sure he's just running a bit late or something,” she told him quickly.

“Hermione, he's never late to Snape's class. He wouldn't dare jeopardize his status as professor's pet,” he argued. Harry abruptly grabbed his bag and got up. He slid the shoulder strap firmly onto his shoulder, quickly making his way towards the exit of the classroom before she could object.

“Watch my books, Ron!” she told her friend forcefully before racing out of the room after Harry.

No one had been paying attention to Harry and Hermione's conversation. Several people exchanged amused glances, making their own guess as to why the couple ran off together.

“Getting to be like rabbits those two, off to have a quick snog while the Professor's away, I supposed,” commented Pansy maliciously, making a little noise of disgust and then directing her taunting gaze at Ron who frowned darkly.

“Hermione wouldn't miss class for something like that,” was the best retort he could manage as his ears turned red in anger.

“Harry must be good,” Seamus commented. Ron turned and looked for a moment as though he was going to punch Seamus in the jaw.

“So, you've snogged Harry too then?” grumbled Ron, his expression dark. Seamus looked amusingly horrified, giving Ron a bit of satisfaction while he wondered where his friends truly had gone off to. Wherever they'd gone, he hoped they stopped Snape from coming to class today.

“Harry, where are you even going?” Hermione called after Harry.

She ran after, and desperately grabbed onto his arm, trying to halt his rapid stride. Harry tried to shake off her grip.

“Hermione, let me go!” he demanded in irritation. She frowned and just held on more firmly.

“No, Harry. You can not just go rushing off in who knows what kind of trouble. Remember the mess you got yourself into when you obsessively followed Malfoy around 6th yea. You can't get caught,” she warned him, her dark eyes pleading.

She felt a flood of relief as she felt him relax and stop resisting her hold on him.

“You're right, I guess. I still think we should find out where he is, and more importantly were Snape is,” he told her.

“Maybe I'm right? When are you going to learn that I'm always right, Harry?” she teased him. He shook his head.

“Fine, you're always right. But what are we going to do?”

Hermione sighed, realizing that Harry might be right to be suspicious about Snape and Malfoy.

“I guess it wouldn't hurt to look for them, but we're going to be careful. We're not going to rush into any danger. I've had my fill for a lifetime, thank you,” she replied.

Harry rolled his eyes, but didn't offer any resistance to her plan. He opened his bag and pulled out his father's invisibility cloak, used often during his years at Hogwarts. Throwing it around himself and Hermione they slowly walked down the corridor together. Hermione whispered a silencing spell to mask the noise of their loud shoes pounding against the stone floor.

She suddenly paused and gripped Harry's arm tightly and put a hand over her own mouth to suppress her exclamation of surprise. She'd heard was seemed to Snape and Draco Malfoy's voices echoing slightly in the stone hallway. The sound of them talking seemed to be coming from the closet-like room were Snape stored all his Potions ingredients.

Carefully she and Harry crept closer to the room. “Listen!” she whispered to Harry.

“I told you to give up this foolish plan,” Snape was saying in harsh whisper.

“Professor, need to finish up what my father wants me to do or I'll never prove myself in his eyes,” Draco replied, sounding desperate and very determined. “Besides, don't tell me you wouldn't like to see Potter dead, despite your loyalties.”

Harry and Hermione exchanged a glance of surprise and confusion. Wasn't Snape loyal to the Death Eaters?

Snape laughed mirthlessly.

“What do you know of my loyalties? I don't know what lies your father has been feeding you, but you'd be wise not bring up this subject to me again if you're trying to enlist my help,” Snape snarled.

“I see now that it was pointless to come to you for help sir. It doesn't matter though. I can handle this all on my own,” Malfoy sniffed indignantly, clearly not appreciating that way Snape was talking to him.

Snape muttered an oath under his breath.

“Getting moving, Draco, Potions was supposed to begin 15 minutes ago. You've held me up with this foolhardy plan of yours long enough,” Snape announced coldly.

Harry and Hermione had to quickly press up against a walls as an angry Draco nearly collided with them on his way out.

Hermione's eyes widened.

“Harry! We have to hurry; Snape will be on his way to Potions an moment. How will we explain not being there to him?”

“Don't worry,” Harry replied calmly. He grabbed her arm and ran down the hall with her, nearly catching up with Malfoy. Snape unfortunately was hot on there heels.

The couple though made it to the door of classroom well ahead of him, but Hermione gasped. “He'll notice we're out of breath, Harry!”

Harry grinned mischievously. “Then we'll just have to provide a reason for being out of breath than won't we?”

Hermione looked at him quizzically as she tried to catch her breath. Harry whipped the cloak off of them and shoved it in his bag. Then without warning he grabbed her in his arms and planted a firm kiss on her mouth. She smiled beneath his kiss, understanding his plan. For a moment she thought to protest, but really didn't want to and kissed him back quite enthusiastically.

Not a moment later Snape came around the corner. Seeing two of his least favorite students involved in some rather passionate kissing.

Halting his stride, he stopped right by them, clearing his throat loudly.

They pretended not to notice. Snape sighed in annoyance and rolled his eyes. When the two continued to ignore to him, Snape proceeded to grab Harry by the back of his robe and pull him away from Hermione.

She stifled a laugh when she saw the look on Snape's face, while Harry did his best to look convincingly indignant about being caught.

“I see you two decided that having an inappropriate public display of affection in the hallway was far more important than my Potions class,” Snape began.

“But you were late, and I personally was getting a little tired of waiting around for you,” Harry interrupted.

“Potter, you'll be losing enough House Points as it stands. I would suggest keeping your smart mouth closed if I were you. I know that you don't care at all about Potions, but Miss Granger, I expected better from you. I always thought you had some skill in Potions, and that school work came first for you. It's seems I may have been mistaken. You always act like such a know-it-all that I would expect you to know better than to date Potter and forget about classes,” Snape lectured them solemnly.

Hermione turned red, more from anger than embarrassment. She knew she had a talent for Potions, and that she cared very much about the class, despite Professor Snape's harsh comments.

“You're wrong sir. Perhaps you're the insufferable know-it-all,” she said in anger, wishing very much that she hadn't said anything as soon as the words left her mouth. Talking back to a teacher was highly uncharacteristic for Hermione Granger.

She turned crimson, and glanced over at Harry. He was grinning quite cheekily at her and then at Snape.

He was feeling pretty proud of his girlfriend for standing up to Snape.

Snape looked rather surprised himself.

“Well, you two have further delayed the start of class long enough. I want to see both of you after class though,” Snape snapped at them, and then gestured for them to follow him into the classroom.

Harry and Hermione took their seats again, trying to ignore their classmates' inquisitive stares.

“Where'd you two go off to?” Ron asked them as they opened their books, but a glare from Snape in his direction silenced him and kept Harry and Hermione from having to answer his question.

“Where were you Professor?” Seamus asked boldly as Professor Snape took his place at the front of the room. Snape shifted his cold gaze to him.

“It's really none of your business, but I think that you would all be interested to know that I was further delayed by two of your classmates who felt that my absence would be a good excuse to steal off for a romantic moment,” Snape replied, sneering at Harry and Hermione.

The couple flushed red in unison.

Lavender turned and smirked at Ron, looking pleased with herself for having guessed correctly, or so she thought, about Harry and Hermione's absence.

“Looks like I won my bet,” she whispered loudly.

Ron avoided her look, and looked rather like he was going to be ill as the rest of the room burst into laughter.

“Now that we have had out laughter for the day it's time to actual have a productive class,” Snape announced interrupting the laughter. “Turn to page 382 in your books.”

Harry felt like Snape was going to go on lecturing forever, though at least today he didn't have to make a potion for Snape to criticize. Hermione tried to focus her thoughts on the lecture, but she really wanted to talk to Harry about the conversation they'd overheard and wanted to get talking to Snape after class over with.

Finally the class ended, and everyone filed out leaving Harry and Hermione behind. They slowly approached his desk. He looked up at them impassively.

“I hope you both enjoyed today's class. As for your punishment I decided to take 50 points each away from Gryffindor, and I would like for both of you to write me a nice long essay on the effects of a love potion gone bad,” he told them, his expression about as happy as really ever got.

They said nothing and glumly left the room.

“That wasn't as bad as it could have been,” Hermione said brightly.

“Speak for yourself Hermione, you love writing essays,” Harry grumbled.

“Hey, guys!” Ron greeted them; he'd waited for them outside the classroom. “Way to take off and snog.”

Harry and Hermione rolled their eyes.

“There's more to it, Ron!” Hermione told him in irritated tone.

“Yeah, we went to go see exactly what was holding up our favorite professor,” Harry explained.

“The kissing was a cover-up because he almost caught up with us on the way back, and we were out of breath after running to get here before him,” Hermione added.

“Oh,” Ron said looking quite relieved. “So, did you guys find anything out?”

“Yes and no. We're not really sure how to interpret what we overheard. Malfoy, as we always suspected does have some horrible plan, and it involves doing something to get revenge on Harry, which figured too, but it seems he wanted to get Professor Snape involved, but strangely it seems like he's not interested in helping the little weasel,” Hermione told him.

“Yeah, it seems like that git Snape would go along with any that involves causing Harry harm,” Ron said.

“So, we don't really know much more than we did before. And Snape became more confusing than ever,” Harry said.

“Well, let's all think about and keep our eyes open. There's really nothing more we can do at the moment,” Hermione sighed.

“I'm glad you two didn't disappear just to snog in the hall, I thought I wasn't going to be able to eat any lunch because I was a bit grossed out, but my appetite is back,” Ron commented happily.

Harry and Hermione laughed.

-->

16. Author's Note/Soon to be Ch 16

A Note to My Readers: Immutable Feelings

Hi,

No, this is not bad news, but rather goodness for anyone who was following this story. I know that it had been a ridiculously long time before I updated this story, but I have absolutely no intention of abandoning it. My long absence was due to a combination of factors (life, writer’s block, etc.) but I’m back!

I feel that the best of my stories (or at least it’s my personal favorite, and full intend to complete it. Therefore I making a promise that I will have a new chapter up for you guys at last and at some point this week!

Cheers!

~Memoryspell48

17. Breaking Points

A/N: So, here it is! A new chapter at last, it only took me a couple of years… But I really don’t plan on letting such a long time go by again before updating. This chapter doesn’t offer much plot progression but I wrote to get back into the story and the characters, so I hope it’s enjoyable nonetheless. And I must warn you guys of a few things. First of all I wrote this before DH came out, so I really didn’t know the final verdict on Snape or many things for that matter! But even after he killed Dumbledore in HBP, I still thought that there was some reason for Dumbledore’s trust in him, and as we found out there was, but I didn’t know any of this when I mapped out the story, so I’m still deciding how to mix in canon with my story. Don’t worry there won’t be any camping trips involved, hehe ;)

And forgive me for any typos (I read this over many, many times but that doesn’t guarantee I caught everything!). I have no beta (and have found a search for one fruitless), so please don’t tell me over and over in the reviews that I need one if there are errors! Thanks all!

Well, here we go!

Disclaimer: Canon plot and all characters property of J.K. Rowling, I make no claim to any of them. All hers!

Chapter 15 – Breaking Points

Hermione, Harry, and Ron sat at a table in the Gryffindor common room taking advantage of one of their free periods before their next class to catch up on the massive loads of work they were being assigned in addition to having to worry about N.E.W.T.s Hermione was fairly undaunted by the prospect of so much work, but her two best friends were not quite so pleased their extra studying and effort that was being required of them, particularly Ron whose mind was far more occupied with Quidditch.

At the moment said redhead was more engrossed in the candy he was snacking quite noisily on, some of his left over treats from their last trip to Honeydukes. He moaned and cursed loudly as a couple of his Fizzing Whizbees fell to the floor, scaring an especially small First Year who had been hurrying past them at that moment. Hermione shot a look of exasperation over at him.

“Oy, what’s your problem today, Hermione?” he protested as he looked up and noticed her cross expression.

“My problem, hmmm well, perhaps it would be the fact that you’re chewing more loudly that a pack of mountain trolls having supper while some of us are trying to study things other than how much candy we can consume without becoming severely ill,” she snapped at him, coming off a bit more nastily than she had intended. She was quite worried about what Draco was up to and about Harry as well, he didn’t seem to be handling the situation well lately and his mood was being to grate on her already frazzled nerves. She was certain that Snape not seeming to be involved had thrown him for a bit of a loop. The result was that she was very short-tempered.

Ron looked sufficiently cowed by her words and hastily grabbed a textbook out of his bag and attempted to look engrossed in it. He made a show of dramatically scribbling on a piece of parchment, as if furiously at work on an essay, though none too convincingly considering the fact that the book he was meant to be get information from was upside down and on a page with more pictures than text. When Hermione finally looked away and went back to her own studies, he dropped his quill and leaned across the table, trying to get his best mate’s attention.

“Harry!” he called in a loud whisper but he didn’t respond to Ron. Frowning Ron grabbed a piece of his candy and threw and Harry who it hit squarely in the forehead just a couple inches from his infamous lightening scar. Harry finally looked up and glared at his friend who smiled sheepishly.

“I think Hermione got her monthly gift or something if you know what I mean, Harry. I just thought I should warn you, watch out mate! She’s acting fairly mental today even for her that is.”

Hermione slammed the book she had been looking through to find research for a History of Magic paper shut. Being particularly old it let out a cloud of dust along with a loud thump. Ron jumped and nearly fell out of his chair in addition to choking on some of the dust.

“Ronald, I heard that. Believe it or not, you weren’t being quite as stealthy as you thought you were. I think that you should have just perhaps passed a note to Harry instead of your failed attempt at whispering and your candy assault on him.”

Ron glared and Hermione out of the corner of his eyes but pretended not to hear her and kicked Harry’s shin under the table, trying to get back his full attention.

Harry looked up from his Potions book and grimaced at Ron and rubbed his now bruised shin. He was still trying to make the essay Snape had set as a punishment just a little bit longer and the last thing he wanted to deal with was a bickering match between Ron and Hermione and he didn’t especially wanted to think about some particularly intimate details about his girlfriend this very minute. He was barely able to focus on school work as it was these days.

“Sod off Ron,” Harry mumbled in irritation.

“Bloody hell, you’re both in a mood aren’t you? In fact I think Snape’s company would be even more pleasant than being around the two of you.”

“Why don’t you go down to the dungeons and bond with him then?” Hermione retorted, her brown eyes flashing. She looked over at Ron’s progress on the homework he was supposedly working on and frowned in disapproval. “How is that I have two essays for Professor Snape finished and you haven’t even started one of yours, hmm?”

She looked over at Harry and Ron’s lack of motivation immediately slipped her mind. Her expression went from one of frustration to concern. Harry wasn’t working on anything resembling school work either now, but she knew that far bigger problems were weighing down on his mind than Ron’s and distracting him.

“Harry, are you okay?” she whispered, gently laying her hand on his arm.

“Yeah, fine, completely fine. I’m just trying to get this essay done for Snape,” he replied a little brusquely, jerking his arm away from her touch.

Hermione pulled her hand back hastily, looking quite hurt.

“Sorry, I asked,” she snapped, her wounded feelings turning into annoyance. She went back to the essay she had been working on but wrote so hard that her quill was destroying the piece of parchment.

Harry felt immediately remorseful when he looked up and saw how much he had upset her. None of his problems were Hermione’s fault after all; he just had the tendency, even now, to want to push away those close to him when things weren’t going well in his life. He was just so frustrated with everything lately.

“I’m sorry, Hermione. I’m just overtired or something I guess,” he said apologetically, though he knew it sounded.

Her expression softened slightly, but her feelings were still slightly bruised. This hadn’t been the first time that Harry had acted like this in the last several days, not just towards her but to everyone. She knew that he wanted to get everything sorted out with the Malfoy issue but couldn’t understand what was with him lately. It wasn’t as if it was a new development.

“It’s fine, Harry, really,” she replied, not meeting his eyes as she knew her own would betray the fact that it was not alright.

He didn’t seem to notice this and went back to his essay. Hermione sighed and stared out the window for a moment and frowned. Even with Voldemort gone, it didn’t change the fact that Harry was still Harry and right now his was displaying signs of vintage Harry angst and his short temper. Maybe Ron had stood for and Ginny had put up with it, but Hermione Granger wouldn’t, especially now that she was Harry’s girlfriend.

“Well, I think I’m going to go to the library for a while and get some more serious studying done. I need a couple more books for my Ancient Runes essay anyway. I only have 20 or so sources I’ve used. I think I could find more,” she told Harry and Ron, getting up from her chair and stretching out her stiff back before bending down and picking up her book bag. She tossed several heavy looking tomes in it before taking of out of the portrait hole without another word to either of the boys.

Quite a few other students were in the room, and after Hermione’s disappearance several of the girls began some very lively whispering to each other. Harry tried to ignore them.

Ron frowned, looking quite puzzled about her sudden disappearance.

“See I told you something was off with her today, completely mental,” he told Harry shaking his head in bewilderment. For Ron women were a never ending mystery.

“No, no I’ve upset her, I should really go talk to her,” Harry said, staring down at one of the books open in front of him, the text blurring into a mass of nonsense before his eyes, refusing to focus on the task.

“I don’t think that’s a good plan; remember those canaries she set on me when she was jealous of me and Lavender? She’s probably moved onto bigger birds now, I’d just let her settle down or something. She can have a right nasty temper,” he advised, taking a large bite of a licorice wand and then proceeding to wave it around for emphasis as he spoke.

“Thanks for the warning mate, but I really do need to sort things out with her. And uh, I hope she saved the canaries just for you and doesn’t use them on anyone else. Besides I don’t think I should really be following your advice when it comes to Hermione. You two didn’t stay together for all that long.”

Ron frowned and stared down at his Potions book.

Harry jumped to his feet and grabbed his bag, throwing the books nearest to him in and taking off, hoping to be able to catch up with Hermione.

Despite the fact that he had taken off after barely two minutes after she had left, Harry wasn’t able to catch up with her until half way to the library. Knowing Hermione she probably knew some secret shortcut that she’d read about in Hogwarts a History which she’d read to death.

Rather than looking pleased that he had followed her she looked more annoyed with him than when he’d left, and almost sad too.

“Come on, Hermione. Talk to me, what’s wrong? I may be love dense, but I clearly said or did something to upset you, I know it!” he said gently grabbing her by the shoulders and making her look at him when she turned to keep walking instead of stopping to listen to him.

“Harry, really, can we talk about this later? I told you I’m busy,” she told him evasively, refusing to meet his gaze.

“No, we can’t. Come on Hermione!”

She finally met his eyes, after chewing on her lip for a couple moments while she mulled over things she finally replied, “No, I really was serious when I said that have some work to get done. I’ll talk to you after classes are over, after dinner. I promise.”

“Fine, that’s fine,” he replied with a sigh, starting to feel as irritated with her as he sensed she was with him.

Girls…

Harry didn’t see Hermione again until dinner, at least not directly because she avoided him in the rest of their classes, even going so far as sitting next to Neville in Potions. This choice backfired on her quite badly though when Neville’s failed potion began making a stink so bad that it nearly caused everyone sitting nearby to pass out before Hermione recovered and Scourgified his cauldron.

Harry did not have such a successful class either, as he messed up any easy potion that they had learned back in their third year and were making to review for N.E.W.T.s. because his mind was so occupied with Hermione and his other worries. Professor Snape had looked inordinately pleased; in fact he’d managed a rather satisfied smirk, as he looked over into Harry’s cauldron, having been rather unsatisfied with Harry’s significantly improved working in Potions so far this semester.

Hermione arrived at dinner somewhat late that night, with a rather downtrodden look on her face, and she took a seat across from Ron instead of Harry. Further down Lavender and another girl giggled and began whispering across the table, but loud enough for Hermione to know it was about her and Harry.

She pushed the food around on her plate, not really caring much to eat now. Clearly word about her little disagreement with Harry had gotten around the school. She’d seen how all the single girls had suddenly begun to get bolder around Harry than they’d been since word was first out that Hermione and Harry were dating. Apparently the gossip had morphed the real story into them having a bitter breakup rather than a small row.

“So, do you think you’re going to get back with Harry now? I always thought you guys were just the cutest couple,” Lavender boldly asked Ginny who was sitting just a seat over from Hermione. Lavender feigned embarrassment when she saw Hermione look up, even though she had been intentionally aloud for her to hear.

“Oh, sod off, Lavender,” Ginny replied, glaring at Lavender and her giggling friends. She was not in the mood to be toyed with anymore than Hermione was.

“Oh, we’re just having a little funny. Harry’s quite the catch you no. Can’t believe you ever let him go. Although you had him longer than Granger,” Lavender replied, as she twirled her hair an insipid smile plastered on her face.

That was it! Hermione stood up suddenly, her wand drawn and Lavender’s face went white. Before she could doing anything rash and very un-Hermione like though, she felt someone’s strong arms holding her against them and forcing her wand arm down. She looked up to see that it was Harry, who looked as furious as she felt. Ron was looking on, too surprised by the whole scene to continue eating for the moment.

“Lavender shut-up. You’re nothing more than a pathetic tramp. It’s not her fault that you’ve scared all the boys you’ve dated away,” Harry said, glaring over at her. “You deserve whatever hex Hermione had planned, the only reason I stopped her was so that she wouldn’t get punished.”

Hermione, who he was holding closely against his chest, felt him inhale and exhale deeply before looking down at her.

“Can we talk now?” he whispered, his expression.

“Yes!” she replied heartily and followed him out of the Great Hall, dozens of pairs of eyes staring curiously at them as they exited.

Hermione made sure to shot a couple of them the evil eye. She breathed a huge sigh of relief once they were free of everyone’s prying eyes and morbid curiosity. If it one thing Hogwarts students loved it was gossip. And it had gotten out of control this year it seemed.

She followed Harry to one of the least traversed hallways and took a seat on one of the benches near an old tapestry. He sat next to her and caught her of guard by gently taking her face in his hands and kissing her soundly. After a few moments he let her go, leaving her breathless.

“Wow, I think we should have an encore in the Great Hall,” she said, laughing weakly. Harry smiled her favorite lopsided grin.

“Hermione, I’m really sorry. I know I’ve been an absolute git, and there’s no excuse for it.”

She gentled squeezed his hand. “No, there definitely is no excuse for it! I know this situation with Malfoy is just the sort of rubbish you didn’t want marring your last Voldemort free year at Hogwarts, but we’ll get through it. It’ll work out, you’ll see. And it will have a far better chance if you don’t have a self-pitying attitude.”

“Yeah, you’re right, Hermione. Who knows, maybe Snape will save the day, he can toss one of my rubbish potions on Malfoy and the former Death Eaters and just take care of the whole thing,” Harry joked grimly.

Hermione rolled her eyes and smiled. “Crazier things have happened at Hogwarts.”

She and Harry burst into laughter and Harry kissed her again.