After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Rating: PG13
Genres: Romance, Action & Adventure
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 7
Published: 28/08/2007
Last Updated: 14/09/2007
Status: Completed

When a new group of Death Eaters will rise and chase Harry, will he be able to protect his family? And if he isn't, how will he cope with the loss? Please, if you read, review!

1. Married Life


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter One: Married Life

An alarm sounded into the by now almost empty Auror Department, at the Ministry of Magic. A raven haired wizard let out a sigh, and started packing the sheets on his desk. He would need to bring some work home tonight, as he could not stay anymore in the office. He had set the alarm so that he wouldn't forget to leave at the right time.

His wife had made him promise he would be home early that day, well, earlier than usual, and in the years of their marriage Harry Potter had learned to know it wasn't pretty to mess with his wife, Ginny Weasley. She was all her mother, he thought smiling, while taking his last few things before heading to the lifts.

Molly Weasley had always been the one to command at the Burrow, and it seemed Ginny was on her way to become the same in their house. Harry didn't mind a bit, because while it could become annoying at times, still he loved her.

How could he not? She was the mother of his three children, James, Albus and Lily.

As he headed to the fireplaces in the Ministry main hall, to get home, his mind went to them. James was almost the spitting image of himself, although he did have his mother's brown eyes, and he seemed to have developed a personality more similar to his dead grandfather, and Harry's father, than to Harry's one.

From what he had heard, the boy was quite the ladies' man, and he was also very interested in pranking others. Harry thought that maybe he could have been like that too, if he had not had a madman looming over himself all his teenage years. But maybe he would have never been friends with Hermione if he did, and he cherished their friendship much, so he was overall happy on how things went.

Then there was Albus, who had his mother's red hair, although a little darker, and sparkling green eyes. He seemed more the quiet kind of guy, not so confident, and Harry was reminded of himself at that age. He, too, was mildly scared about Hogwarts, when he got there for his first year.

Then there was Lily…she was all him, with black hair and green eyes, but he could already tell she had her mother's feisty personality. He loved them all, and he couldn't imagine himself to be more happy. He had what he had wanted all his life, a family to call his own, and he wanted to give his kids all the love he had been deprived at their age.

As he threw some powder in the fireplace, spelling the name of his house, he welcomed the usual sensations of Floo travelling with a smile on his face.

He landed in his living room, and dusted off his clothes.

“You're here” Ginny welcomed him with an hug and a soft kiss that he was just happy to reply to. As they embraced themselves, savouring the moment, an owl tapped the window.

“Bloody bird, couldn't have worst timing” Harry joked, going to retrieve the letter.

“Who is writing?” Ginny asked, curious, after that Harry had taken the envelope, given the owl a treat and set the bird free to fly back.

“It's Ron, he says he and Hermione are going to be a bit late, and to go ahead to the restaurant”

“They are going at it again, I'm sure” Ginny replied with a wink. Harry felt queasy. He always did when images like that were proposed to him. He could never think of Hermione and Ron “going at it”, as his wife loved to say.

“As much as they are my best friends and I love them, that was definitely an image I could live well without, you know” he said, feigning to be sick.

“Dad, you're so silly” a voice startled him. He turned and saw his daughter peeking from the door.

“Munchkin, you ready to go to have dinner with Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron?” he asked, going to pick her up. He loved doing that even if she wasn't that little anymore.

Lily nodded, and then did a twirl to show him the pretty robes her mother had bought her just that day. She loved them, they were a velvety, dark blue, and she looked really good in them. Harry nodded his appreciation, then took her in his arms and kissed her cheek.

“Well, then, since the both of you is ready, and I'm not, I better go have a shower and a change of clothes” he said then, placing his daughter back on the floor, and blowing his wife a kiss. Under the steaming hot water, he washed away the stress of another long day of work.

He was now the Head of the Auror Department, and he had lots of things to take care of. Ginny was glad he rarely was on the field anymore, but he got a bit bored with all the paperwork he had to go through, and then plan activities for the teams, decide which one would be better for a certain assignment…if he had known what his new position would have been like, he would have never accepted the promotion.

Scratch that. Who was he kidding? He had talked about it with all his friends, too, not only with his family, and the proud look on Hermione's face would have made accept it no matter what. Not that he minded, at the time.

After all, he had been offered that spot just after he came back from a truly gruesome mission, where ten people died, two were of his team, and other five got badly hurt, one of them being himself. He had been in St. Mungo's for two weeks, gashes covering his body, and with a curse that made him feel sick all the time, before the healers sent him back home as new.

It had been the most risky mission he had ever been into, but it was vital for the security of the Ministry, as he had to take down a group of dark wizards in Netherlands that menaced to invade England. The success of it had made Kingsley decide to hand him the position as head of the Department.

Minutes later, he got dressed and joined his family in the living room, then they all Apparated to “The Magical Garden”, a restaurant in Diagon Alley they had often gone to with Ron and Hermione and their kids.

Once there, they asked a waiter for their table, and sat there, making small talk, while waiting for the other family to join them. It was just few minutes, really, and then Harry could see the ginger hair of his friend, followed by his wife, coming toward them through the crowd that filled the place.

“Here we are!” Ron happily announced, Hermione coming out from behind him and smiling at both Harry and Ginny, their youngest son, Hugo, immediately going to greet his cousin Lily, with whom he loved to play.

As the kids engrossed themselves in each other, the adults properly exchanged greetings. Harry stood up to hug first his best mate, and then Hermione. The two of them shared a connection that their spouses had learned to respect and not feel threatened by. They knew nothing would ever make the bond between Harry and Hermione diminish, not even being married to someone else.

Soon enough, a waiter came to take their orders.

“Hermione, luv, what do you think about this lasagne?” Ron asked her tenderly.

“Seems good. Maybe if you take it I'll have a bite. I'm not really hungry tonight, so I don't think I could handle all of that on my own”

“Oh, ok. So, I'll take it, and this Hippogriff Steak, thanks” Ron said, placing their orders. Then Harry placed his own and Ginny's (“A chicken salad for her, and for me clams spaghetti and an Hippogriff Steak too”)

Then it was the kids time. They ordered both hamburgers with fries, and for once Harry convinced Ginny to not force Lily into something more healthy, although his wife did huff a bit about the matter.

“Now that the orders are done, I want to make a toast to my best friends for their twentieth anniversary” Harry said, lifting his glass. Ginny, Ron and Hermione mimicked his actions, and once they clinked their flutes of champagne, they drank it.

“Thanks mate” Ron said. He had taken the day off to pay attention to his wife, since she had accused him to be too involved into his work lately. Harry had been understanding, since at times Ginny accused him of that too, so he had been more than happy to comply.

“Yeah, thanks Harry” Hermione said, barely touching his hand across the table, and everything else she wanted to say was left to their non verbal communication, through their eyes. She thanked him for being such a good friend to her all those years too, and in his eyes she could see how much he was happy for her.

Dinner went on quietly, with just a laugh here or there as the girls gossiped on something and Harry and Ron would roll their eyes at them, earning glares from their spouses, or as Harry and Ron droned on Quidditch, and Ginny and Hermione looked at each other annoyed, but smiling.

Then, the two families went to have an ice cream to the near Fortesque's parlour. Hugo chose chocolate and cream, while Lily went for strawberry, lemon and melon.

As the six of them strolled through Diagon Alley's main street, the heat of the early September could still be felt. It was just few days since their other kids had gone to Hogwarts again, and they often reunited after that to feel less lonely, as their respective houses felt a bit empty.

The small talk continued through all their walk, and only the little ones starting to yawn convinced the adults that it was really time to part ways and go home.

They exchanged their goodnights, then Harry gently took hold of Lily's hand and sidelong Apparated her to their house, Ginny doing the same.

As for Ron and Hermione, soon they landed into the living room of the Nest, their home. She took Hugo with her upstairs, and tucked him into bed, kissing his forehead.

“Good night, darling” she softly said, once she was sure he was asleep, which didn't take more than five minutes to happen. She then walked out of the room as silently as she could, clicking the light off as she went.

She changed for bed, then joined Ron in front of the TV and scrunched up her face in disapproval when she saw he was drinking Firewhiskey.

“You shouldn't indulge in alcohol you know” she said while snuggling close, scolding him.

“Oh, come on, love. It's just a glass after dinner” he said with a smile, putting an arm around her shoulders.

She let it go, after all he was right, he did usually drink only one glass, so it was ok. She would prefer if he quit it altogether, but one glass couldn't hurt, and she had learned married life required to let go of some little things.

As they snuggled in front of the TV, yes, they had found a way to make it work in a magical environment thanks to some charms Hermione discovered in a book, she couldn't help wondering how she got so lucky in her life. She came to Hogwarts feeling like everyone her age hated her, it was how things were back at her primary school, she was alone because of her love for reading and doing schoolwork, and in seven years she not only found love with Ron, and was happy with him, but she also got a wonderful friend like Harry, who would always understand her and be able to make her smile no matter what.

With her two boys, now grown to middle aged men, but to her they would always be her boys, she felt safe, and happy. She couldn't see herself without both of them in her life now, although the three of them had a rocky start back in their first Hogwarts year.

And she was more than happy that both had survived the war. When she had discovered about the prophecy regarding Harry and Voldemort, in fifth year…well, she honestly feared Harry would not live to have a family and be happy. And if he hadn't, she and Ron would have been dead too, as Voldemort would have killed them as closest allies of his nemesis.

Instead, Harry had come out victorious, giving all of them a new hope and chance at happiness, and Ron had sensibly matured and learned how to pay attention to her. She couldn't have asked for more.

As these thoughts filled her mind, she slowly drifted off to sleep, and Ron smiled at her, kissing the top of her head. Then he turned the telly off, took her still fragile form in his arms, and lightly carried her to their bedroom, where he placed her on the bed and put her under the sheets. Then, he changed for bed himself, and joined her, pulling her close. In few minutes, he was asleep too, dreams of his beautiful wife filling his slumber.

-->

2. Voldemort's Avengers


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This is the updated version of chapter two, where the leader of the Voldemort's Avengers is not German but Dutch. Thanks to a review that made me notice how is name was more Dutch than German, I decided to change this, also as a form of respect to those German HP fans who might think it's always their people to do bad things, after all Grindelwald was German too.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Two: Voldemort's Avengers

Darkness enveloped the manor, as the night progressed. The sun had set a couple hours before, and by now any day light was gone. Rain was pouring heavily.

A lone man stood at the gates, and flicked his wand.

An ugly black hawk emerged from it's tip and it flew to the nearest window. Then the man waited, his head and body covered by an heavy black cloak. It was impossible to see the features of his face in that pitch black obscurity.

Few minutes later, the gates clicked open. He pushed the rusted metal so that he could enter, and then he walked up a stone path to the front doors, which were by now open too.

As he entered, he swirled his wand to dry his cloak, then approached the heavy wooden doors that hid the greatest room of the house. He could hear voices buzzing inside. The meeting had already started, it was clear.

Pushing them open, he walked in, and silence fell. Everyone sitting at the table turned his eyes on him, while he pushed the hood back to reveal blonde hair. He walked up to the empty spot, his spot, just near their master.

No one was to take his seat, because it was known he was the second in command, and he would not hesitate to kill whoever overstepped his boundaries trying to overcome him. His wand still clutched in his right hand, he sat, filled his goblet with Firewhiskey, and drank it in one single gulp.

“Nasty weather outside, uh?” he finally spoke.

It was like his words had released the whole room from a spell. A loud buzzing of voices could be heard, he knew most of them were whispering about where had he been to be late to this important meeting.

Only one dared to challenge him.

“You liked it enough to be late though” a black haired witch spat, glaring at the new arrived. She craved the importance he had in their organisation, and would love nothing more than to take his place as their master's preferred.

He sighed, twirling his wand in his fingers. “I had my reasons”

“That's what you always say” she spat back.

The newcomer flashed his blue eyes at her, anger clearly burning in them. “Dare to challenge me in duel over it, then?” he said, dangerously low, aiming his wand at her. She had her own out in a flash.

“Enough!” a strong commanding voice bellowed from the head of the table. They both turned to look at their lord, his grey eyes boring into them, and his black hair cascading on his face sides.

“We are here to discuss important matters on how to rise to the power, and punish Potter for killing Voldemort” he said in a soft, yet at the same time menacing voice. “Not to watch your petty fights. I won't have more of that, is that clear, McGish?” he said, looking at the woman, who nodded and sat down, still glaring daggers at the other man. “The same goes for you, Rostrom”

“As you wish, my lord” the blonde man said, and sat down too.

“Now, my friends, we are here, reunited under the name of “Voldemort's Avengers”, because we all believe in what Tom Riddle, aka Voldemort, proposed as a way to make the Wizarding World better. We need to purify our world from Mudbloods and Blood Traitors, and we will not make the mistakes occurred to those who preceded us. We won't stop in front of anything or anyone, and we will make Harry Potter suffer more than anyone else” he said, and then a cold laugh echoed through the room.

The one talking was Vincent Van Grauteren, a Dutch wizard, thirty-three years old, who had attended Durmstrang, and in his fifth year had developed quite a knack for Dark Arts. He had discovered the story of Grindelwald and then of Voldemort, and had become fascinated with them. He just couldn't understand why such powerful wizards would meet their demise at the hands of weak people like Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter, two Muggle-lovers, as he liked to call them.

Especially Potter, he had nothing particular about him, and Vincent was more than sure it had been mere luck that lead him to win over the previous Dark Lord. Dumbledore…well, albeit they didn't share the same political views, Vincent had to admit the man was brilliant, and knew lots about magic.

But in the young Vincent's opinion, it was the heart that made the old man weak. It wasn't like Vincent had grown up deprived of love. He was the heir of one of the most important Dutch wizarding families, and he was loved by every single one of his relatives. They were purebloods by generations, and probably linked to some very important wizards of the past, he had never stopped looking too much into the centuries old branches of his family tree.

However, him being pureblood and from such an high profile family made him look everyone else from high to low, and he thought if he was a wizard and was pureblood, it meant being pureblood was something that gave you special powers, powers that should not be shared with those who were not of the same pure heritage. This is how his hate for Muggle-borns was born, and it extended to all those who protected them.

So, once he graduated from Durmstrang, he left his family forever, starting the quest that would fill his whole life. He travelled around all Europe, he had his own vault in Gringotts full to the extent that he would never have to work and his descendants would not have to too, if he ever had them, that is.

He, however, wasn't in the slightest interested in bringing up a family, and set instead to search the most vicious dark wizards of all Europe, to create an army and obtain what Grindelwald and Voldemort had failed to achieve, complete power over the Wizarding World, and thus over the Muggle one too.

As he moved through Norway, he met Runegard Rostrom, who was on the run from the local Ministry, and offered him to join him. He had heard about the man in his travel, and was just delighted to have found such a powerful ally. The crimes he was held responsible for were many, and most of them regarded torturing and then killing Muggles. He was sentenced to life in Gothred Tower, the Norwegian prison for wizards, set beyond the Polar Circle. But he managed to escape on the day of this trial, twisting the guard checking on him in front of himself with his bare hands, so that no one could attack him without hitting the other man, then he wrestled his wand from him and blew away part of the courtroom. In the confusion, he managed to flee, leaving thirty dead bodies behind.

Van Grauteren couldn't have asked for a better partner.

Rostrom, on his side, was more than happy to be able to leave the country and start a new life abroad. Not that he would be an honest man there, but still, in England he wasn't wanted. Yet.

So, the two of them travelled to the united Kingdom, and there they started building what would be their headquarters, Avengers Manor. It took a whole year to complete it with everything needed, rooms, kitchens, the main room for meetings like the one going on at the moment, and of course cells for prisoners that needed to be questioned, and torture rooms too. There wasn't a darkest manor in the whole world, and Van Grauteren was satisfied with the result.

Then, he left Rostrom there to search for valuable allies in England, while he resumed his search through Europe. He visited Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Russia, Bulgaria, every country, and he managed to collect some good followers, nothing excellent like Rostrom, but good followers nonetheless.

One day, while he was walking in Edinburgh searching for the entrance to the local wizarding community, he spotted a dark haired witch who, hid under a Disillusionment Charm that made her invisible to Muggles, was torturing them with the Cruciatus Curse. He thought his ranks were full, but after meeting her he knew she would be important for his group. So he approached her and asked her to join him, after explaining what his idea was.

She was ecstatic at the plan, and followed him to the manor. The witch was Velvet McGish, and since then she had tried to get into Van Grauteren's good graces, more than Rostrom was, anyhow. Some of her heritage must have been catching up to her, because she was a distant relative of the Black family, and her behaviour sure enough made her look like she was another Bellatrix Lestrange.

She had attended Hogwarts and had graduated just a couple years before. Coming from Ravenclaw, she had always wanted to show she was no less than her family members, who had all been Slytherins, so she dropped low into the dark arts, and developed an hate for whoever wasn't pureblood.

Once, she had used the Killing Curse on a fellow Ravenclaw, but had set it everything to look as suicide. She had used her friend's wand to perform the spell, then she cleaned her fingerprints from it. The girl was surely smart, but in a sick twisted way. She didn't use her brains for good reasons, but only to hurt and kill those she despised.

Vincent Van Grauteren was sure she could be useful in developing foolproof plans to get Potter and all those who liked Muggles.

“So, my friends. About Potter…” the new aspirant Dark Lord announced, exposing to his followers the plan he had in mind, and that he had improved with McGish's help.

As rain continued to pour outside the manor, a cold laughter of satisfaction could be heard echoing in the halls of the building.

-->

3. Alert


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Three: Alert

Things were hectic at the Auror Department. It seemed that lately lots of little dark wizards had woke up, making a mess. Teams were continuously on leave to go and get these little buggers, which wasn't usually difficult, but was rather annoying.

As he was the Head of the Department, Harry was the one who needed to coordinate all the teams' activities, thus his time at home was definitely cut low. He spent more than usual in his office, going over reports of the captures and programming the next actions, then he came home barely on time for dinner, the days he wasn't late for it, and it wasn't enough.

He could be called at any minute for a new emergency to address, so he would often leave in the middle of the night, leaving nothing more than a scribbled note to his wife Ginny.

Who, of course, wasn't really happy at how things were turning out. She missed her husband, and more than once she addressed the matter with him.

“Harry, you need to decide what your priority is, your job or your family” she attacked him again, after dinner.

“Ginny, I'm doing all of this for my family! If I keep the dark wizards at the minimum, there are less risks for you and the kids!” he spat back, he was already tired after a long day at work and this was not what he needed at all.

Ginny looked at him softly. “I know, Harry, but I and the kids, well, Lily since Al and James are at Hogwarts, miss you”

Harry's gaze softened too. “I know, Gin. It's just…I feel like if I don't address some matters immediately, I'll feel guilty of leaving someone free and then this someone might attack you or Lily or the boys when they are not at school”

She nodded. “I see” she said. Although not agreeing, she could see his point. But she wasn't happy about it, that was sure.

As Lily's bedtime arrived, Harry went and scooped her up from the couch where she was watching the television, a gift of Ron and Hermione on last Christmas, along with the spells to make it work in a magical environment.

“It's time for my little princess to go to bed” he said softly to her, and then he brought the little girl to her room, although she complained a bit. She always did, but then she would fall asleep if he read her a story, and that's what he did.

He then went downstairs to relax a bit before going to bed, hoping he wouldn't be woken up that night. He definitely needed some sleep and rest.

Some days later, he was working in his office, going over some paperwork, when a knock on the door startled him.

“Come in” he gruffly said.

As the door opened and then closed, he found himself facing no one else than his godson, Teddy Lupin. The boy had just joined the Auror ranks after having passed the exam at the end of the training with flying colours. Harry was so proud of him, but after all the boy was son of Auror Tonks and one of the most valuable men of the Order of the Phoenix, Remus Lupin, so it wasn't really a surprise to him that he was so good at this. Chasing bad guys must run into the kid's veins.

“What brings you here, Auror Lupin?” Harry said, business-like, but the young man knew his godfather was just joking. What he had come to speak with him about, though, was no joke.

“Harry, there are bad news” he gravely said.

The other man frowned. “What's this about?”

Teddy sat in front of Harry, giving him the sheets he had brought.

“Intelligence says there's a new group of Dark Wizards roaming the country. They have called themselves Voldemort's Avengers. I bet you can understand from the name that they have serious intentions”

Harry nodded, studying the information in the sheets in front of him.

“As far as we know they haven't started killing Muggle-borns yet, but I'm sure they will start soon. And, the name of the group makes me think you might be one of their first targets, Harry” Teddy said gravely. Although he was one of the youngest Aurors, Harry valued his opinions much, as he had inherited his father's wisdom.

Harry nodded. “I see. Thanks for the information, Teddy. I'll start to work on this immediately”

The young man recognized the dismissal, and with a curt nod stood up and left the room. Harry took a sip of his coffee, which was by now almost cold, thoughtfully.

Voldemort's Avengers.

Exactly what he had feared since the day he had killed Tom Riddle, and sure enough they were going to try something against him or his family. Well, if they thought he would let them, they were sorely mistaken.

“Ron, I need you here immediately” he said tapping the mirror on his desk. He had managed to get all Aurors to have one mirror like the one Sirius had given him, as a quick way to communicate with each other.

“Coming” came the reply from his red haired best friend, and moments later the door opened to let Ron Weasley enter.

Harry briefly updated him on what he knew about this new group of Death Eaters. Harry wondered if it was right to call them that, but if they followed Voldemort's ideas, they were Death Eaters even if they didn't call themselves that.

“I need you and your team to find out all you can on this group. Be careful though, intelligence says us they have many ruthless wizards amongst their ranks, much worse than Dolohov or McNair” he said to get his point across that this was of the maximum importance and it was also dangerous. “And send some Aurors to both our houses too, for surveillance”

Ron nodded his understanding, his own face shadowed with worry for his family.

Then Harry tapped his wand on the sheets, copying them, and left his friend go his own way while he went to see Minister Shacklebolt to inform him of the new peril.

As he reached the Minister's office, however, he was told he was not there, and that he would be ready to see him the next day, so Harry had to go back to his office, although the matter was of the maximum importance, he couldn't risk information being leaked on it. He wanted to tell the Minister personally. The less that knew they were working on this, the better their chances to swipe that evil without letting any of these new Death Eaters escape.

“Well, we might as well get some work done on this” he mused once he was back at his desk, and started taking notes on what they knew of the organisation.

He never looked at the watch till a knock was heard on his door. He looked up then and noticed it was already nine p.m.

“Bugger, Ginny's going to have my head” he thought, while inviting whoever had come to his door in.

He was mildly surprised to see Hermione there.

“Hey” he said softly, his green eyes flaring with a spark that had not been there in days due to his increasing tiredness.

“Hey” she greeted back, warmth in her brown orbs too. She graciously sat in front of him.

“Ron told me the latest news” she started, and Harry chuckled.

“What's so funny?” she asked, confused.

“Nothing, it's just that you always go straight to the point. Yes, we are going to have our hands full, Hermione” he honestly said to her. “I cannot say I didn't expect something like this to come up, though” he continued, and she nodded.

“I know. I've always thought someone was going to try and bring Voldemort's ideas up again too” she reasoned, not even noticing she was placing her hand on his own on the table now. It was a gesture so normal for them that Harry didn't really notice too.

“We will get them, Hermione. I won't let them put my family in peril” he said, determination in his eyes. “I won't let them put you in peril” he added then, looking at her straight in the eye, and she blushed.

“I know” she reassured him. “I just wanted to let you know, if you need anything, anything at all, I'm here”

He nodded, smiling to her. Then, after a kiss on the cheek, he shooed her away to her family, and she left giggling. It was amazing how even in tense moments like that one, she could make him laugh and he could do the same to her, he wondered, his lips still curved into a sincere smile.

He never got home that night, he was too busy with making theories about where this group might be hiding and what their first move would be. He alerted Ginny with his Patronus that he wasn't going home, and prepared himself for a long night of no sleep, a jug of coffee on his table to help him go through it.

Finally, his eyes closed around five in the morning, and he awoke with a start when he heard the door next to his office slam shut. Ron had arrived.

He poured himself some more coffee, went to the bathroom to wash his face, and then paid his friend a visit.

“Good morning, Ron. I heard you delicately closing your door” he teased him.

“Oh, Harry” the redheaded man said, looking up. “Sorry about that, just had a little fight with Hermione at breakfast” he said sheepishly.

“I see. Well, I'm off to the Minister to inform him of this matter” he said, motioning to the file under his arm.

Ron nodded, and so few minutes later Harry was face to face with Kingsley, who was still Minister.

“So you tell me there's a group out there trying to bring Voldemort's pureblood non-sense up again?” he worriedly said.

Harry nodded and let him read the information they had managed to gather. Teddy Lupin had just added some to him on his way up to the Minister's office, and they now had a more or less precise idea of where the Voldemort's Avengers headquarters were.

“I say we go and raid their headquarters” Harry suggested.

“Now, let's not jump to conclusions. We might need more information before we do that, Harry, and we must not act on instinct. You can't put your fellow Aurors' lives on the line because of an hasty decision”

“I know, sir” Harry said, understanding. He knew Kingsley was right, and he knew Hermione would have given him the same advice. He had a knack for acting on instinct though.

“However, Harry, when we are going to make this operation, I want you to lead it” the Minister said, looking at him in his green eyes.

It had been a long time since he was on field, and the idea kind of excited him. “I will, sir”

“Very well, you may leave now, then” the Minister said with a nod, and shaking Harry's hand.

And with that, Harry stood up, took his sheets and walked out of the room, back to his own office. It was now almost lunch time, he never really noticed how long he had stayed to the Minister's before. They had been so wrapped up in their discussion that time flew.

He had barely closed the door and sat at his desk when a very distraught Luna Lovegood slammed it open.

The sight per se was unsettling, as he had never seen Luna this worried, nor he had ever seen her without her typical serene and airy composure.

“Harry!” she cried. “Ginny's gone!”

Harry's stomach plummeted. “What do you mean, gone?”

“I had to meet with her half an hour ago, we were to have shopping together to celebrate my coming back into town from my naturalist trip to Egypt. When I arrived at your house to pick her up so that we could bring Lily over to the Burrow, the house was open, and signs of a fight were everywhere. There was no one inside” Luna told him, stopping now and then to hiccup, as tears started to flow on her face.

Then she handed him a piece of parchment.

“This was on the kitchen's table”

Harry read it, and his heart froze.

Potter,

We got your wife and daughter.

If you ever wish to see them again, come alone to

Slytherin's Nest tomorrow.

-->

4. Fighting


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This is the fixed version, as there was a passage that could create confusion about Harry being reunited with Lily after his death. I didn't mean Lily his daughter but his mother. So, I changed the sentence to make it clearer.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Four: Fighting

Harry kept looking at the little piece of parchment in shock. They had got his wife and daughter, and wanted him to go alone in their hideout.

It was a veiled request to go there and surrender to them so they may kill him. And then, they would kill Ginny, Lily, and all his friends.

He had been so stupid to think that with such a menacing group at large he could entrust the safety of his family to others, when it should have been himself who should have looked after them. He never even alerted them of the peril, like Ron had done with Hermione.

He had been all but a good husband in that situation, and now he could not even move.

Luna must have sensed his blaming of himself, because she softly touched his hand.

“It's not your fault, Harry” she said, trying to regain her usual composure so that she could comfort him. He nodded, unconvinced, and Luna knew who could help him.

Sighing, she left, leaving him alone.

It was just few minutes, but it could have been hours, before his door opened again. He had not moved, his eyes still staring blankly at his desk, when he felt someone hugging him and a mass of brown hair tickling his face.

“Oh, Harry, I'm so sorry” Hermione whispered soothingly to him. “But you must be strong for them, you know that, right?”

Harry knew he was safe in her arms, and let all the disappointment he felt toward himself be released in the form of tears. He let them fall, and Hermione could only keep holding him, whispering soothing words, her own heart breaking at his pain. She wished she could help him, not knowing that her mere presence meant to him more than she ever imagined.

Minutes later, he collected himself, and Hermione noticed for the first time the piece of parchment on his desk. She read it.

“You're going, right?” she said, knowing him all too well.

He nodded.

Hermione sighed, and nodded too. “Take Ron with you” she said, and he knew it was not a suggestion, it was more of an order.

“No” he stubbornly said. “If everything goes bad…I don't want you to remain alone. Ron can defend you and the kids if the need comes, he's a great Auror, and…” but he was silenced by a finger on his lips.

“I can defend myself and my kids, Harry” she said, and he saw in her eyes she was serious about this. She was not starting a fight because it was the last thing he needed but he could see him underestimating her duelling abilities was not appreciated.

“I know” he said, an hint of a smile coming to his lips. If he had learned something at Hogwarts, it was that he didn't want to be on the business end of Hermione's wand.

She softened too. “Take Ron with you. And other Aurors too”

“They said to go alone” Harry pointed out.

“I know. But it's a trap” she reasoned, and Harry sincerely laughed.

She looked at him as he had suddenly gone mental.

“Hermione, I bloody well know it's a trap!” he said, still smiling and shaking his head. Here he was, Head of the Aurors, and she thought he couldn't recognize a trap!

She realized the absurdity of that all, and laughed softly too.

“I will take Ron with me, and Aurors too. But not in the open. No, they will be concealed under Invisibility Cloaks and with charms, and they won't intervene if not needed” he seriously said then. He appreciated how Hermione had managed to lift his spirits even in such a dire moment, it meant the world to him because he needed just that to be able to effectively plan a rescue mission.

She nodded, and left so that he could work on the operation. Out of his office, she leaned on the wall, closing her eyes. She could still feel the heartbreak at Harry's lost expression when she entered that same room, she had never seen his so empty. But then, just few words with her refilled him, and his green eyes, those orbs she had always felt drawn to, flared again with determination, and strength. She knew that if someone could save Ginny and Lily, it was him. And then, she remembered the sound of his laughter, so sudden, but so sincere, and the feeling of warmth that engulfed her own heart at that.

As soon as she was out of the room, Harry dashed to Ron's office through the door connecting their offices.

“Blimey” his best mate said, rubbing his neck, after he had explained him the situation.

“So, will you come with me?” he asked. He knew his friend would not desert him anymore, but still he gave him the chance to back away.

“Of course I'm coming, Harry!” Ron said. “It's my sister and my niece we are talking about after all!”

The two nodded at each other, then Harry laid a map on the table. “They said to go to Slytherin's Nest. It's the equivalent of Godric's Hollow, but for Salazar Slytherin. He was born there, and there he resided for most of his life” Harry explained.

“The village's small, it won't be difficult to find them, if they are as large a group as we have been told they are” he continued. Ron nodded, taking notes. “As for how we get there, I was thinking about Portkeys. We can set many of them, and it's safer than Floo to an unknown village. Remember that only me should be visible”

The two of them went over some other details concerning the plan, then Ron made copies of the notes he had taken, to be given to whoever was going to come with them, and they left the office to go and collect all the most experienced Aurors.

As they were reuniting the group in the briefing room, Teddy came running.

“Harry!” he said, out of breath. “I just heard. I want to come too”

“No” Harry said. “You've just joined the ranks, you've not the necessary experience”

“Come on, Harry, this is bullshit” Teddy insisted, and everyone gasped. No one had ever been disrespectful of Head Auror Potter in front of others without getting punished.

The two men looked at each other in the eyes. “If a group is trying to bring Voldemort's ideas up again, I want to fight” Teddy said then, and Harry remembered himself saying almost the same thing years and years ago when he found out about the Order of the Phoenix.

Finally, he sighed, and nodded. Teddy grinned, and Harry smiled back wistfully. He saw so much of Remus in him, day after day…

“But, Auror Lupin, you'll have to serve night shifts for two weeks for being disrespectful of your superior” Harry added, looking at the boy sternly, letting him know his outburst hadn't gone unnoticed, nor it was appreciated.

The group then entered the room, where Harry explained the plan. Three solid hours after the kidnapping had been discovered, they were ready to go.

One after one the Portkeys they had set activated, and they were whisked away from the Ministry and into a dark landscape. All the Aurors but Harry were covered in Invisibility Cloaks and with Disillusionment Charms over themselves. All of them had a second wand hid in their robes, just in case they were Disarmed.

As they advanced through the streets of the village, they looked right and left for clues as to where the Voldemort's Avengers would be waiting for Harry. They came up to a battered house, large enough to contain lots of people. Harry just had a feeling Ginny and Lily would be there. You can call it sixth sense, or whatever, but he just knew that was the building.

As they approached it, no one noticed a raven crow fly from a nearby tree and into a window on the back on the house. Or, better, no one paid it much attention. After all, it was just a bird disturbed by their presence, right?

Stopping just for a moment to collect his thoughts and focus better, Harry closed his eyes and sighed.

“We're here with you mate” Ron whispered from his right. Harry nodded and broke through the door.

So it began. He was faced with at least fifty people, all wands pointed toward him.

“So nice of you to join us before it was due, Potter” Van Grauteren welcomed him with his soft, yet dangerously menacing voice, twirling his wand into his hand.

“But, I was in the impression to have told you to come alone” he added then, his grey eyes flaring with anger, and with a flick of his wand, all of Harry's fellow Aurors were exposed. Harry wondered how could have he thought it was going to be that easy to trick their opponents, but there was no time to dwell on that.

He looked around the room and saw Ginny and Lily, who were bound to a wall thanks to chains placed on their wrists and ankles.

As all the Aurors took out their wands, the tension in the room intensified ten folds. Teddy, who was the most nervous of them all, involuntarily fired an hex at the closest Avenger, and that set the battle in motion.

As Harry ran to try and break his wife and daughter free from the chains, he was blocked by Rostrom, who stepped in his path.

“Crucio!” the man cried, but Harry managed to dodge the curse.

“Expelliarmus!” he cried then, and suddenly he remembered Remus' words from before he started the Horcrux hunt, “Don't let Expelliarmus become your signature” his former Defense professor had counselled him. It seemed the Disarming Spell was still his first choice, even after all these years.

Rostrom deflected it easily, and then started circling Harry for an hole in his defense.

Ron was duelling two of the bad guys, and he had his hands pretty full at the moment, so he could not help him.

The Aurors were less in number, their hope had been to take the Avengers by surprise, but it had backfired. Now, they were all fighting valiantly, but struggling to remain alive more than attacking.

Van Grauteren sneered once he managed to kill his opponent in duel, and turned toward Harry.

“This is punishment for not respecting my orders, Potter” he said. Then he aimed his wand at Ginny, and Harry could see the green light of the Killing Curse travel from the man's wand tip to her chest in barely few seconds, then her limp form hung to the wall by the chains.

His heart was tore apart at the sight, but more than that at the fact that Lily had to witness her mother being killed. The little girl had her eyes fixated on her mother's form, calling her through tears, as Ginny would not respond.

The distraction of the event caused Harry to lose focus on the duel he was conducting. His ears barely heard the incantation leave Rostrom's mouth.

“Sectumsempra!”

He knew that curse, and he sure enough didn't want to be on the receiving end of it, so he automatically collapsed to the floor, avoiding the light of the spell that barely grazed his arm, causing a deep gash to be opened there. Luckily, it was not his wand arm.

As he was falling, the words came to his mouth as a reflex, “Petrificus Totalis” and Rostrom fell limp on the ground. He couldn't cast the Shield Charm quickly enough as his wand was still casting the Sectumsempra curse.

The battle was in full swing now, and Van Grauteren could not kill Lily as it was in his plans because he was attacked by Teddy and a fellow Auror. They kept firing curses at the man, and he could just defend himself.

However, even if he was occupied and Rostrom was down, there was another bloodthirsty, dangerous, ruthless member of the group still going.

Velvet McGish had just killed another of the Aurors, and pointed her wand at the little girl held captive at the wall on the opposite side of the room.

“Crucio!” she cried, and Lily writhed in pain, crying. Harry's heart broke again, and he swept away the two Avengers that were duelling him, blasting them away with Reducto. He needed to protect his little girl, no matter what.

He then advanced toward the black haired woman, but it was too late. She was aware of the danger, and cast the Killing Curse before he could reach her. Harry stopped in his tracks and watched in horror as the light approached his little girl, and prayed, if there was a God, to be taken in her place.

“Take me, not Lily. Take me and keep her safe” he prayed, closing his eyes. He would have got in the path of the curse, if he could, but he was too far, and he couldn't make it. He jumped all the same, trying.

His heart plummeted when he saw the green light breeze past him, merely inches from his head, and he closed his eyes. His baby girl was going to die, and it was all his fault. He couldn't protect her like he had sworn he would do.

Then he heard her voice.

“Uncle Ron!” she cried, and Harry turned to see that his best friend had managed to shield her, at the cost of his own life.

“How touching” McGish sneered, and Van Grauteren laughed coldly too. But they had stepped too far.

From Harry's body raw magic was emitted in waves. He started opening a path from himself to the woman, but Teddy got there first.

“You bitch” he growled.

“So, the kid's come to play” she mocked him, but he was not troubled by her remark. He instead assaulted her with every spell he knew, and a couple of his fellow Aurors looked in awe at the boy. They never expected him to be already this good in duel with dark wizards.

Velvet was at a loss too. She had never lost a duel, and yet this boy was pushing her to her limits.

In the end, he Disarmed her, and stunned her.

Harry then turned his attention on the leader, and got to him in no time. Everyone else in his path never stood a chance, and so it was soon just the two of them. The other Aurors, although suffering some losses, had neutralized the remaining Avengers.

“So, Potter. We duel” Vincent snarled.

“That we do” Harry replied, and attacked first. “Sectumsempra!” he cried.

Vincent managed to avoid the spell, and fought back. “Crucio!”

Harry was hit by the curse, but he had learned to sustain pain through his years at the Dursley. Who knew it would come handy to be beaten so roughly by his cousin and uncle for ten years, he ironically mused.

Then, he attacked again, trying to transfigure the man. As enraged as he was, he would not stoop so low as to actually kill. But Vincent had no remorse in doing that.

“Avada Kedavra!”

Harry closed his eyes, wishing death to take him. He knew he would be reunited with Ginny and his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore and although the thought of leaving Albus and James alone was sad, he knew he would be with loved ones there.

But then, he would be leaving Hermione alone with Rose, Hugo and his two kids if he died, he reasoned. He couldn't leave her alone through that. He wouldn't.

So, he snapped his eyes open, and saw Van Grauteren sneering, savouring his victory. He saw the green light mere inches from him, and just then, his wand hand moved of its own accord, and a white wall erupted in front of him, engulfing the curse.

Shock reverberated on the faces of all present, and his opponent had not the reflexes quick enough to fight again when he saw that. Harry's Disarming Spell knocked Van Grauteren off his feet and against a wall, where he hit his head and fell unconscious.

Once he was secured with magical ropes by one of the Aurors, Harry let himself fall to his knees, and let the tears fall.

-->

5. Hurting


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Five: Hurting

Teddy Lupin had never seen his godfather this helpless. He had always looked up to Harry, seeing him stand strong and be a valuable Auror, till the moment he could join him on the job. Now, he had attended his first important field mission, and he had to witness Harry break down like that.

It was understandable, though. He had just lost his wife and the man he considered his brother, in the time of few minutes. He had almost lost his baby girl, too. Speaking of which, since Harry was too wrapped up in his tears, Teddy walked to the little girl, freed her from the chains, and took her in his arms.

He had seen her grow, and couldn't imagine what she was going through now, having seen her mother and uncle being killed. She still called them, although they could not respond, with tears in her eyes.

Teddy kissed her forehead, and waited for Harry to recollect himself before bringing her to him.

As if on cue, Harry stood up, after having spent the last five minutes crying freely, and wiped the tears away. He stood with his back to Teddy and Lily, and breathed steadily to calm down. Then, he turned, and took his little girl in his own arms, with a nod to Teddy, who smiled sadly.

“Daddy…why isn't Mummy waking up?” the girl asked, wrapping her still somewhat tiny arms around his neck.

Harry sighed. Straight to the point, she went.

“Munchkin, your Mummy is not waking up. She's dead, Lily, and I'm so sorry for that” Harry said, reasoning the truth would be the best thing to tell her.

The girl started crying freely, and Harry did his best to try and calm her down, but she would stop.

“Harry, you go. We're going to take care of these scumbags here” one of his fellow Aurors said, and he nodded his thanks, then Disapparated to his home. Once there, he proceeded to make some hot chocolate for Lily, who was calming down a bit.

He stayed there with her, trying to soothe her. He had to be strong, he could and would not break down in front of the kid, even if his own heart menaced to physically break for the hurt he was going through.

He then set Lily down on her bed to let her rest, and read to her. She always got sleepy when he did, and she had had so much emotions that day she was bound to be exhausted.

Once she was asleep, Harry sighed, and owled Hermione to come to see him immediately, then he cast a Mufflatio spell on Lily's room.

She just knew something was terribly wrong when she received the quickly scribbled note with Harry's handwriting. The brown haired witch grabbed her purse and left in an haste, addressing her assistant on her way out that she would probably not be back that day.

Minutes later, Harry saw her coming out of the fireplace in his living room.

She knew she had been right as soon as her eyes took in his face. It was a ghostly white, his hair more unkempt that usual, and his green eyes were completely hollow. However, as he saw her, he attempted an half smile.

“They are gone” he simply said.

“Who?” she asked, frantically. He didn't respond.

“Harry, who's gone?” she asked again, lightly shaking him up.

“Ginny…and Ron…” he whispered, as if not saying it loudly made it less real, less painful.

Saying Hermione was shocked was the understatement of the century. “Ginny…Ron…dead?” she stupidly said, as she felt tears start to prickle at her eyes.

Harry just nodded.

“What about Lily?” Hermione managed to ask, her voice cracking.

“She's safe, thanks to Ron. He jumped in front of her to save her from the Killing Curse. It was very brave of him” Harry said, remembering the last action of his best friend. He could never be thankful enough to the redheaded man for saving his daughter's life, and Ron would never know. He had no means to communicate with him now.

This set Harry crying again, and Hermione let her own pain for losing her husband take the best of her.

They sat there, on the couch, hugging each other, the pain so raw that both had never felt anything like that in their lives, and yet the mere presence of the other made this all more bearable.

“It's all my fault” Harry whispered, but Hermione took his face in her hands, tears running on her cheeks as well as on his.

“No, Harry. It's theirs. It's not your fault, you couldn't have guessed they would strike so soon and so hard” Hermione tried to reassure him.

He nodded his understanding, and although part of him would always feel guilty, he knew in the depths of his heart that she was right. He touched her face softly, brushing away the tears, and then pulled her close.

“I'm so sorry Hermione” he whispered into her hair. “But you know I'll help you no matter what with the kids, right?” he added then. He felt he had to, he couldn't leave her go through this alone.

“I know” she said, and the hint of a smile came to her lips. “You'd never leave me alone through this, nor would I. We will need to support each other, Harry, and be strong for the kids”

He nodded, and released her from the embrace. “You should go and tell Hugo” he suggested, and she nodded. Then she stood up, and left to go fetch her son from the Burrow. In the meantime Harry sent a letter to Molly to let her know her son and daughter were dead, and apologizing for not being able to protect them.

It was mere minutes later that he found his living room filled with Molly, Hermione and Hugo. He didn't' expect his friend to come back, but truthfully he was glad she did. As for his mother-in-law, he stood in front of her and then for once it was him who enveloped her in an hug, while the older woman cried her eyes out.

“Ron…Ginny…” she kept repeating, while Hermione took Hugo in another room to talk with him.

“Molly, if I only I could have them come back…” Harry said, trying to comfort the woman.

“Oh, no, Harry, it's not your fault” she reassured him. “It's just so sudden, it's a shock” she continued. Then she repeated the offer she ahd said Hermione once the younger woman had arrived at the Burrow.

“You sure you don't want to come and stay at the Burrow tonight?”

Harry shook his head. “No, thanks, Molly. I think me and Lily should getting used to live here on our own” he said, while warming the water for some tea. He placed a cup in front of Molly, and one for himself. Then, he filled them with the hot liquid, and both sat silently, sipping it and lost in their thoughts.

Hermione was back just moments later, as she had tucked Hugo in, giving him a Sleeping Draught so that the news of his dad's death would not cause him nightmares. Lily was still out too, she checked on the girl, but it was clear all the emotions of the day had worn her out completely.

She sat at the table with the other two, pouring some tea for herself. No one spoke, and the atmosphere was very grim.

“What about the bodies?” Molly suddenly asked.

“I guess the Aurors have taken them back with the other dead bodies” Harry said. “It's part of the duties to bring back the bodies of those of us who fell, if it is possible, so that they can be given back to their families”

Molly nodded her understanding. “When are you going to tell the other kids?” she asked then, to both of them.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and they silently agreed. “I think we better go tomorrow and tell them at Hogwarts. Then we will probably bring them home for some days so that they can attend the funerals” Harry said, knowing Hermione would have suggested the same.

As the older woman nodded her approval, and then left, the two of them were left alone in the kitchen.

“Well, I guess you'll want to bring Hugo home now” he said, starting to take out pans to fix himself a quick dinner. He wasn't that hungry anyhow.

“Actually, I think it's better if we stay here” Hermione said, and Harry turned, surprised.

“Oh, please, don't be so surprised Harry!” she glared at him, but hen her gaze immediately softened. “I just think it's better if we all go through this together. At first, at least.”

Harry nodded, and added one more plate to the table. “Omelette is fine for you?” he asked, and she agreed, then moved to help him.

After dinner, they chatted quietly. No one was in the mood for laughter, or smiles, but they wanted to keep each other's mind off the tragic events that had struck them. As they were on the couch talking, Hermione yawned, and started to doze off. She automatically snuggled into Harry, and he assumed it was an habit she had developed in her married life with Ron.

As she was completely asleep, Harry sighed and lifted her, then carried her to the guest room. He placed her on the bed there, and then went to his own bedroom. Changing into his night clothes, he then slipped under the sheets, and an immediate feeling of emptiness hit him. The bed seemed way too large to be sleeping there alone, and he was hit with a wave of memories about all the mornings he had woken up with Ginny in his arms.

Closing his eyes, he could picture perfectly her flaming red hair, her brown eyes, her smile…and he felt his heart break knowing he was not going to see her again. Ever.

Snapping his eyes shut, as to prevent the tears to spill, he willed himself to sleep, taking deep breaths.

In the guest room, Hermione was thrashing and turning, as she was by now not used anymore to sleep alone. She missed Ron, his warmth, his arms pulling her close like he did every night, and so her sleep was all but restful.

She had nightmares of green lights flying toward her husband, and her being forced to watch, unable to help him, to save him.

She woke up with a start, murmuring his name. Her forehead was sweaty, and she just knew she needed to have something to drink or she would never go to sleep again. Reaching the kitchen, she was curious as the light was on there. Harry was at the table, sipping a glass of pumpkin juice, although she could see a bottle of Firewhiskey on the table too.

“Couldn't sleep. Had nightmares of Ginny” he said anticipating her question. He knew she wouldn't think less of him because he was hurting or because he had those nightmares, it was one of the things he had learned to cherish about her, he could confide her anything and she would never think less of him.

When her gaze moved to the Ogden's bottle, he shook his head smiling.

“I wanted to, but then decided against it” he explained. She moved toward him, sitting, and pouring herself some juice too.

“Wise decision” she agreed, smiling. “I couldn't sleep too. Kept having nightmares of Ron”

Harry felt his chest tighten. He hated to see her hurt, and when he examined her face attentively, he could see the stains of dried tears on her cheeks. Even if he knew it wasn't his fault, he couldn't help it, he felt terrible for putting her through so much pain.

Hermione must have sensed it, because she stood up and walked to him. Then, she wrapped her arms around him and looked at him in the eyes. “You've nothing to feel responsible for. You didn't force him to come, if someone's responsible, it's me who suggested it”

He shook his head. “No, you sure enough are not at fault here. I would have asked him anyhow”

“And you know he would have come even if you didn't want him to, once he knew what had happened” she reasoned, still holding him close. He nodded.

As he did so, he got an idea, but was afraid of telling it to her. It may seem inappropriate to have them sleep in the same bed, even if out of hurt and only as friends who wanted to be supportive of the other through hard times. So he never suggested it.

Instead, he kissed her on top of her head.

“We better go back to sleep now. We have a big day ahead of us” he said softly.

“You're right” she smiled sadly. “Good night, Harry” she addressed him with a kiss on the cheek after she finished her juice, and retreated to her room. He watched her go and soon followed suit.

Their little chat reinforced the feeling that they were not alone in this, and once again, after years where it seemed to have just slightly lessened, Harry felt that strong bond he had always had with her, the one that made so many jealous of their friendship, coming back in its full force.

With that feeling, both slept peacefully, nightmares not disturbing them anymore, so that they could rest a bit before another difficult day arrived. They knew that together, the two of them could face anything.

-->

6. Funerals


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Six: Telling the Kids and Funerals

As Harry woke up next morning, he groggily searched for his wife. The bed was empty though, apart for him, and the feeling suddenly brought him back to reality. Ginny was never going to be there again to greet him on the mornings.

The idea made his chest tighten, and he sighed, ruffling his hair with one hand, then stepped into the main bathroom to have a quick shower, before going down and prepare breakfast.

He and Hermione had agreed they would bring Hugo and Lily at the Burrow, where Molly would look after them, and then they would head to Hogwarts to alert their other children. It was not going to be easy.

Walking down the steps to the kitchen, he smelled pancakes and eggs. He just had to smile as he stopped on the threshold, leaning on the door. There Hermione was, an apron tied around her waist, working on their breakfast, brows furrowed in concentration, and he felt his heart swell.

Finally, she noticed his stare. “What? Am I dirty somewhere?” she asked, worried.

He chuckled, shaking his head, and walking to greet her.

“No, not at all. I was just enjoying the sight of you cooking, it's something I never witnessed” he said softly, helping her to distribute the eggs on four plates.

She smiled, the first sincere smile since he had told her the news. He knew the difference because it reached her eyes, albeit just for a moment.

“Well, you made dinner for the two of us yesterday, I thought it was just polite to reciprocate” she replied, pouring him some coffee. He took a sip, and nodded.

As if on cue, they heard steps on the stairs, and then Hugo and Lily appeared in the kitchen.

“Daddy, Mummy…” the little girl started, but then she noticed Hermione. And suddenly she remembered. The draught her father had given her had provided a dreamless slumber, so she could rest and not wake in the middle of the night haunted by what she had seen, but now she remembered.

“Mummy is dead” she whispered, tears pooling in her eyes. Hugo was staring at his uncle Harry in a strange way, and he seemed on the verge of tears too.

Their parents immediately rushed to their sides, and comforted them. Hermione, it seemed, was the more experienced in this, because she managed to calm her son and then helped Harry with Lily. Of course, she would be the most troubled of the two, since she actually saw everything happen before her young green eyes.

Once the little ones were soothed, Harry and Hermione helped them with their breakfast, which both found delicious. Hugo was used to his mother's cooking skills, so he wasn't surprised, but Lily wouldn't stop complimenting Hermione on how her pancakes tasted good. Harry had to laugh at that, and mussed his daughter's hair.

It was good that despite the sombre mood hanging over them, they could manage a laugh here and there. It was pointless to stay closed in their rooms and cry all day long, they all needed to go on with their lives, bringing Ginny and Ron always with them in their hearts, but without wallowing in despair.

Once Lily and Hugo were properly dressed and they had collected something to play with at the Burrow, the four of them stepped in the fireplace, one after the other, spelling clearly “The Burrow!”, and starting their Floo trip.

As they landed in the living room, they dusted themselves off, and Molly was ready to greet them.

“Harry, Hermione” she acknowledged them, then hugged her nephew and niece.

“Hi Nana” both the kids cried, hugging her back. Then Hugo spoke. “Nana, are you going to make us those chocolate biscuits I love so much?” he asked, giving her his best puppy eyes. He had Ron's ones, blue, and he had already learned no one could resist him if he gave them that face.

Molly just smiled. “Of course, Hugo. We can make them together later, if the two of you are up to it” she suggested, and Lily squealed. She loved cooking with her grandmother.

Harry and Hermione exchanged a smile, watching as their kids went to play in the garden.

“So, you are going to tell the other children, right?” Molly addressed them, turning serious.

“Yes” Harry replied. “We'll probably bring them home till the funerals” he added then, sharing a look with Hermione to check if that was ok for her. She nodded.

“Seems the best thing to do” Molly agreed. “By the way, what about the bodies?”

“I'm going to check at the office once we have the children at home” Harry announced. “I'm sure they have brought them back, but if they haven't, I'll go retrieve them myself” he added, his green eyes steeled with resolve.

That was a good enough answer for Mrs. Weasley, so she nodded. They said their hellos to the children, and then Harry and Hermione were on their way to Hogwarts, Apparating to Hogsmeade.

“It's been so long” he mused, taking in the scenery.

“So many memories” Hermione added, her own face clouded, as she reminisced particularly good times the three of them had shared there in the village. From afar, the Shrieking Shack could be seen.

Harry was reminded of third year, when they had wandered there to meet Sirius for the first time, and learned he wasn't a murderer. He had had too little a time with his godfather, it wasn't fair. But after all, life was rarely fair, and Ginny and Ron's deaths were further proof of that.

Sensing his discomfort, Hermione slipped her hand into his own and squeezed it, letting him know she was there and would listen, if he needed to talk. He squeezed back, then he entwined their fingers together and she smiled at that. They kept walking, Harry looking sideways at her and wondering what had he done to deserve such a wonderful friend.

They approached the main gates, and walked past them. Slowly reaching the castle, they stopped by Hagrid's hut for a quick hello. The half-giant couldn't stop the tears at the news, he had grown fond not only of Harry but of Hermione and Ron too, and he knew how much the redheaded meant to Harry. He blew his nose with his usual tablecloth sized handkerchief, and let them go their way up to the school so that they could see their children.

As they met other students on their way, everyone stared at Harry. Even twenty years after Voldemort's demise, he was the hero of the Wizarding World and attracting stares everywhere he went.

Finally, they reached the Headmistress' office, and Minerva McGonagall welcomed them in.

“I'm so sorry for both your families” she said once they were all sitting. “I've received a letter from Minister Shacklebolt telling me to expect your visit because of the deaths. Luckily, the Ministry managed to keep the Prophet away from these news, so the kids have not found it out on the newspaper”

Harry and Hermione let a breath escape. They had never thought about checking the Prophet that morning, but the fact the news had not been published was good.

James Potter was sitting in his Charms class, with his best friends Rob and Kate, when the door opened and he was alerted he was waited in the Headmistress' office. Exchanging a look with them, he stood up, collected his things and left.

Albus Severus Potter was instead in the dungeons, attending Potions, when he was told, and similarly, he left class to go and see what Headmistress McGonagall wanted from him.

Rose Weasley had a free period and was studying in the common room, her mother always recommended herself to not waste time, and to finish her work early if she had a chance, so she was most surprised when she was called to meet the Headmistress. She had never broken a rule, so she wondered what all that was about.

Once everyone was there, the children completely surprised to see their parents there, or at least some of their parents, Harry sighed. He and Hermione exchanged a squeeze of hands, then he started. He thought about it some time, but in the end, there was no easy way to say it, so he better go with the blunt truth. His sons were old enough to understand.

“James, Albus. I have a most tragic new to tell you. Your mother was killed yesterday by a group of dark wizards” he said. “I couldn't save her” he admitted then, tears coming to his eyes again. Hermione stroked his hand with her fingers, to try and reassure him it wasn't his fault.

James' face was stony. He couldn't move a muscle. His mother was dead. He wanted to scream, to fight with his father because he had failed to protect her. But he knew, in his heart, that if Harry had had the chance, he would have willingly sacrificed himself to let Ginny live. If he couldn't save her, it was clearly something out of his powers to avoid.

Albus was shocked. He felt tears prickling to his eyes, and he snapped them shut, trying to act strong but failing miserably. His soft sobs echoed in the silent room, and Harry's heart broke for his two sons who had to go through that pain. At least, he had never really known his own parents, and he had been spared this hurt, although he suffered many others in his life.

Rose was not Hermione's daughter without reason. “Mum…where's Dad?” she fearfully asked, dreading the answer.

“Oh, sweetheart, he's dead too. He was helping Uncle Harry to save Ginny…and he sacrificed himself to protect Lily…” Hermione said, rushing to hug her daughter, and letting the tears fall. Rose started crying too, and Harry looked at them wishing he could take their pain away. He, however, met the questioning stare of James, whose ears had perked up at the mention of Lily.

“Your sister is ok, James” he reassured his son, and both James and Albus released a breath they didn't even know they were holding.

“Minerva, I reckon it's better to take the kids from school for some days, at least till the funerals” Harry said, finally addressing the Headmistress who had been discreet all that time to give space to the families to mourn.

The older witch nodded. “I think it's understandable”

So it was settled. James ran to let his friends know what had happened and where he was going, and Kate couldn't help hugging him tight, feeling so sorry for him that a tear or two escaped her own eyes, wetting his shirt. He hugged her back, although he had a girlfriend, he could care less. Kate had been a constant presence in his Hogwarts years, since the very first day, as well as Rob, and if there was someone he felt free to mourn his loss with, it was them.

When he finally joined his relatives again, they divided in two groups, and with two Portkeys all of them travelled back to the Burrow.

Molly hugged the children one by one, and let them know all of them, including Harry and Hermione of course, were more than welcome to stay there as long as they wanted. During lunch, everyone tried to bring the chat away from sombre events, and Molly once again gave her best, cooking every one of their preferred dishes.

As the afternoon rolled by, Harry excused himself to go and see if the bodies had been retrieved. He, Hermione and Molly had agreed that it was best to have the funerals as soon as possible, since the kids definitely needed to put the whole matter behind them and go on with their lives. Molly insisted because he and Hermione did the same, and they assured her they would try, although it would not be easy.

So, two days later, a small crowd made by the whole Weasley family, well, all of those who were still alive at least, Fleur, her and Bill's kids, Victoire and Jean, and some friends from Hogwarts, including Neville, Hagrid and Professor McGonagall was reunited in the backyard of the Burrow. Some of Ginny's team-mates were there too.

Arthur had taken a day off from work, as well as Percy, and Charlie had arrived from Romania. Harry, Hermione and the children were all in the front row, dressed in black suits.

Two tables were set before them, and wrapped in Gryffindor flags there Ginny and Ron rested. It had been Harry and Hermione's choice to wrap them in their House colours, and they met the approval of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

As the officer moved in front of the crowd, Harry let his own mind wander back to everything he and Ron had been through together. He vaguely heard the officer talk about his deceased friend as brave, loyal, funny. He couldn't listen to the same person go about Ginny, how she had grown out of the shadow of her brothers, and a fine woman in her own right.

It was too painful, and yet he knew both of them would have wanted him to go on. Finally the moment came for him and Hermione to speak. First it was her, and he focused on her form, wrapped into a black robe. Her hair was collected behind her head, and she wore just an hint of make up, and even if the setting was sad and depressing, Harry fleetingly thought she had grown to become a beautiful woman, and that Ron had been really lucky to have her as his wife for twenty years.

It was strange for him to think about her as beautiful, she was his best friend, and he blamed it on the fact he was missing Ginny already. However, he couldn't help noticing little things that made her glow, even in such a sad occasion. For example, how two tendrils of hair were let loose and adorned her face, bringing light to it, or how even without lots of make up, which she had never worn to be truthful, her face looked almost angelic.

He was so wrapped up in admiring her, and how she managed to keep her composure through all of this, another proof of how strong a woman she really was, that he barely noticed she had stopped speaking and had invited him to join her there to pay their friends and spouses the last farewell.

He stood up and automatically walked to her side, then with his wand he amplified his voice.

“Family and friends” he started, his own voice slightly cracking. “Today we commemorate two of the most amazing people I ever met. True, me and Ron had some disagreements in the years, but I could never think of him as less of my brother. I know, however, that he would never want me, or any of us here, to mourn forever. He would want us to go on with life, and find that lasting happiness he wasn't allowed to live. So, if we really want to honour him, this is what we should do. And from his next adventure, he will look over us and we will always remember him in our hearts”

“Ginny…” he continued, his voice cracking a bit more, but a squeeze of his hand from Hermione gave him the strength to go on. He smiled at her, then continued. “Ginny gave me what I dreamed all life. My greatest desire has always been to have a family, and with her I had that. Now, I must find the strength to grow my children knowing she will look upon us from above, and that she won't be forgotten” he finished, leaving the spot to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to make their eulogies to their children, and then to all the Weasley brothers.

Once everyone finished speaking, and they were all back sitting in their places, the officer cast a spell on the two bodies, so that in their places two marble tombs appeared, keeping them safe with the tables where they were resting.

Slowly, people moved to give their condolences to them, then they would leave. Soon, Harry and Hermione with their kids followed the Weasleys back to the Burrow, where they would stay till James, Albus and Rose would not go back to Hogwarts.

-->

7. Importance of Friends


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Seven: Importance of Friends

It was two days after the funerals that James, Rose and Albus went back to Hogwarts. Hermione and Harry had brought them there themselves, sidelong Apparating them to Hogsmeade and then walking up the castle.

As the moment of hellos came, Hermione took her daughter apart. “You going to be right?” she asked. She was worried, because Rose didn't have all these friends, and she knew for experience that friends were the best way to go through though moments like this.

“I'll manage” the girl bravely said. “I can do it” she added then, more to convince herself than to convince her mother.

“Don't worry, Aunt Hermione. We will be by her side” James said, walking up to them and placing an arm on Rose's shoulders. Albus nodded his approval too.

Harry knew his sons would be alright. They were strong, especially James, and they were old enough to handle this. As for Hugo and Lily, he and Hermione would be by their sides constantly, so he wasn't worried.

“Well, we don't want to embarrass you in front of your friends with the typical parents' act” he joked, “so we better leave you to school before we end doing that” and with that he nodded to the three kids who waved back, an hint of a smile on their faces.

As he put an arm around Hermione's shoulders and started walking back toward the gates, James' voice reached him.

“Dad!” he shouted.

Harry turned to meet his son's stare. “Don't be too hard on yourself. Mum wouldn't have wanted you to” his son said, and it meant the world to Harry.

He had to admit he still felt his heart had been ripped in half, but with the presence of his kids those last days, he had started to heal. Going back to an empty home, however, was not going to be easy.

“I will” he whispered, and Hermione moved closer to him, as to underline the fact he wasn't alone and they would help each other. With a grateful smile to her, he started walking again.

Once their parents were out of sights, the three Gryffindors walked into the castle, and to the common room. It made no sense to join classes now, it was just half an hour before lunch.

As they sat there, all lost in their thoughts, James couldn't wait to see his best friends, especially Kate. He knew she would listen and help him go through the pain. With all respect to Rob, he wasn't exactly known for being good with feelings. The thought brought a smile to his lips.

“Thinking about Serena?” Albus asked, trying to light the mood. Serena Heskerks was a fifth year Hufflepuff, and currently James' girlfriend. She was blonde, with a slim waist and good curves, so it was no wonder boys liked her, although she wasn't this bright. She was in his same year.

“What? Why would I think of her now?” James retorted, surprised at the question.

“Dunno, she's your girlfriend after all” Albus mumbled. He still didn't get this thing about dating, he had not the slightest clue about how girls thought, and how he would have to act with them.

Rose's brown eyes, instead, sparkled with realization. “It's a certain brunette he's thinking about” she teased her older cousin, who suddenly blushed.

“Well, she's my best friend” he tried to justify himself. “We talk about things, and she can help me go through this”.

As if on cue, Kate entered the room, and as soon as she saw him, she flung herself in his arms.

“James! I've been so worried about you!” she quickly said, not letting go of him, and he held her close too. Rose just smiled at him, as to prove her point.

“Jeez, mate, it's good to see you want to say hello to me too” Rob whined, although it was clear he was joking. He loved to tease the two of them about their closeness, as he firmly believed there was more than met the eye there.

The five of them then headed to have lunch together, and Serena was not pleased to see James coming into the Great Hall paying no attention to her, while he was instead intent talking with Kate.

“That tart” she scowled. “She's going to pay for hitting on my man”

When the trio of James, Rob and Kate was leaving, heading to Care of Magical Creatures, she stood up too, and walked quickly to join them. She had their same class after all.

“Hi, James” she flirtatiously said, effectively pushing Kate away to take her place on his side, and slipping her arm under his own. Then she kissed him quite hard on the mouth, slipping her tongue in, as to prove the point that he was hers.

James however did not kiss her back. “Hi, Serena” he said coldly then. “I would appreciate if you didn't push my friends away, you know” he icily added.

She was taken aback. “But…I'm your girlfriend and you haven't properly greeted me since you arrived!” she said, shocked.

James snorted. Rob took Kate and lead her away, this was not going to be pretty.

His friend was grateful to him, he didn't want to put a show on for an audience. “As if I could talk with you about what troubles me” James heatedly said to Serena once they were alone.

“We are together, you're supposed to talk to me about it, not with her” Serena scathingly retorted.

Her, as you say, has been by my side far longer than you have. Accept that she's going to be part of my life and that we are close, or go your own way” James said.

“We have had good times together, James” Serena almost whined.

He looked at her, and wondered what did he find in her in the first place. He sighed. “Serena, our relationship has been nothing more than snogging in broom closets. As fun as it is, there's more than that in a real relationship”

“So…you're breaking up with me?” she babbled, sobbing quietly. James felt bad for her.

“I dunno, Serena. Give me time to think about it” he concluded, then he walked away, angry with himself. He had wanted to call it quits for some time now, but her broken face stopped him from doing that.

“Trouble in paradise?” Rob teased him once he joined them.

“You can very well say that” James joked back. He was thankful to have friends like these, because they could take his mind off his troubles for a while, and then they would help him go through them.

Raising his eyes to the sky, he thought of his mother, looking at him from above, and in his mind he blew her a kiss, then he returned to his friends. He shared a look with Kate and she nodded, caressing his hand with her thumb. He nodded back, then turned as the lesson started, feeling already better.

As for Rose, she walked up to Transfiguration, her preferred subject, alone as usual. Well, no, she wasn't always alone, however she didn't have good friends as Rob and Kate were for James. She had acquaintances, let's say, and she got along fine with all her dorm mates, but no real friendship there. Albus usually walked with her, as they were in the same house and year they had the same lessons to attend, however this time he had said her he would meet her in class as he needed to retrieve something from his dorm.

“Hey, Weasley” she heard someone calling her. She cringed. “Not him. Not now” she thought. The idea of her father being dead upset her enough without Scorpius Malfoy adding to it.

“Go to hell, Malfoy” she said, not even stopping.

“Feisty, aren't we?” he snickered. “Too bad you're a bookworm” he commented then, coming to her side to mock her some more.

He was shocked to see her on the verge of tears. He had made much ruder comments to her in the years and she never cried. It was one of the things he admired of her, her strength.

“What's up with you?” he asked, suddenly gentler. “Why are you almost crying?”

“Why do you care?” she spat back.

“Ok, I know I deserved that” he joked, giving her an half smile. His two cronies were still behind them, and wondered why Scorpius was being gentle to the Weasley girl. She was a Gryffindor after all, they were supposed to hate Gryffindors.

Natalie came to her other side. “Why, isn't that clear, Scorpius? She's a cry-baby, too bad she can't go to her mother or father here” she snidely commented.

“My dad is dead, you bitch!” Rose finally snapped, crying freely now.

“Aww, that's too bad” Natalie kept mocking her, now openly laughing. Scorpius however glared at her, and her laughter died on her lips.

“Natalie, your jokes are not appreciated” he coldly said her.

“Scorpius, why do you care about her?” she spat back, narrowing her eyes.

“Do I have to report my actions to you?” he growled dangerously. Rose was shocked to see he wasn't joining his friends in mocking her.

“Fine, then, but you won't be my friend anymore!” Natalie snapped. “Vince, come with me” she added then to the third Slytherin, walking away and purposely bumping into Rose, who lost her balance, and started falling. Scorpius was quick though, he was not Slytherin's Seeker for nothing, and grabbed her.

“You ok?” he said softly, his grey eyes boring into her brown ones.

“Y-yes” she said, collecting herself and standing up again.

That was the moment Albus came. “Hey, Rose, is he giving you an hard time?” he protectively said. The two boys glared at each other.

“No, no. He was helping me, actually, I slipped and he helped me stand up” Rose lied. As Albus curtly nodded and preceded them into the classroom, she winked at Scorpius giving him an half smile and followed him. She felt the sadness for her loss diminish a bit, and she hoped Scorpius would act friendly toward her again. She definitely needed a person out of her cousins she could confide to, and she knew it was stupid but she hoped it could be him.

The Slytherin boy remained there, dumbfounded as to why she would lie to cover him, and especially why she had winked at him!

He had to admit he had always fancied her a bit, although he knew the history of their families enough to know it probably wouldn't be appreciated, so he covered it with the teasing and mocking. However, he was more than aware that she was a fine young witch, beautiful in her own way although not strikingly so.

As he entered the class, he made a point to be friendlier to her and get to know her better. Especially if her father was dead, she would need support and he was willing to try and help her through such an hard time.

After their afternoon lessons, Albus, James and Rose met again in the common room. Being the oldest, James made a point to check how the other two were doing.

He told them about his day and his almost break-up with Serena, and Rose giggled. He glared at her.

“What's so funny, Weasley?” he asked, with a fake stern tone.

“Nothing, it's just I knew the two of you wouldn't last long” she revealed with a knowing smile. James was astounded. She really had his aunt's brain.

She saw his face and laughed more, so he smirked. “You enjoy this too much for your comfort, Weasley” he announced, then he started tickling her mercilessly, and he stopped only when she begged him to, through fits of laughter.

As she recomposed herself, Albus was telling his brother about his first day at school after their mum's death, then he told him about meeting Rose and Scorpius.

“The git” James snarled. “Did he say anything bad to you?” he asked his cousin.

She rolled her eyes, a smile coming to her lips as she thought of the Slytherin boy. “No, he was more than gentlemanly, in fact” she said, and while Albus was oblivious to everything, James was hit with realization.

“You don't fancy him, do you?” he asked, suspicious. Albus looked at him as he had sprouted a second head.

“What if I do?” Rose proudly spat back, then she went to the girls dorm, leaving both of them speechless.

-->

8. Adjusting


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Eight: Adjusting

Harry sighed.

He had known it all along, since Ginny and Ron's death. The house, without his wife, would feel lonely. Especially now that Albus and James had gone back to Hogwarts.

He had taken some time off his work to care about Lily, and he honestly didn't know if he would go back to work at all.

The money he had in his vault, after all, granted him and his kids a good lifestyle, bordering on the rich side, even if he didn't work. And if he had to wait till his baby girl grew up enough to care about herself before being able to go back to work…it would be years, and he would probably be too badly fit to be an Auror again.

The kettle on the kitchen whistled, and Harry knew the water for Lily's morning tea was ready. He prepared it, and placed a warming charm on the cup so that it would not become cold before she came down to have breakfast.

Then he sat down, sipping his coffee, and his thoughts drifted to Hermione. He wondered how she was doing, alone in the house with Hugo. Molly had been great, trying to help them both with the kids, and Merlin knew if he needed that. As much as he had been somewhat always present in his children's lives, at times he had no bloody idea what to do with Lily, for example how to soothe her when she would cry in her sleep.

He could hear her from his room, hers was just across the hall, and he would get up, go in there and hug her close, whispering soothing words to her. Still, not always he managed to calm her down quickly, and it could take hours before she settled to sleep again.

He remembered how Hermione had calmed her easily when she had been there the first morning after Ginny's death.

Maybe he should go and get some tips from her. Or maybe it was just that females were more skilled in caring about children. He had to admit Lily had always had a particular liking for her Aunt, and he couldn't really blame her, he thought with a chuckle.

Yes, Hermione was really a lovely woman. She had always been, since their first year, caring about the others, strong, and more than once managed to keep him and Ron in line. As time passed, she mellowed a bit about their rule-breaking, but after all, he had wised up about the importance of doing his work too, and not slack off like he continuously did when he was with Ron. Especially since he joined the Auror Department.

In some way, they had rubbed off each other, learning from the other what they lacked in the first place. Now, hanging out with her was much more fun than it had been before, and he treasured every moment they would spend together, since their spouses' deaths.

As he was wrapped in his thoughts, he never heard his daughter approaching.

“Thinking about something good, Daddy?” she suddenly said, and Harry jumped, spilling his coffee all over his clothes.

Lily giggled, while Harry muttered angrily, then with a flick of his wand the whole mess was polished, his own clothes as new. He focused on his still giggling daughter, and his heart swelled with pride.

It had been two weeks now since the funerals, and he had witnessed constant progresses in how Lily was adjusting to the absence of her mother. She still missed her lots, of course, and he did too, if he had to be truthful, but she was getting over the hurt.

As for her mother figure, Molly and Hermione tried to fill the void whenever they could. Molly was more than happy to have her niece, and Hugo too, over for lunch, or dinner, and they had gone to the Burrow more often, lately.

Arthur had been great too, giving tips to both him and Hermione as to how handle the situation, and he had been right about them. Seemed that Mr. Weasley was far a wiser person than one would expect from his outer appearance and always joyful behaviour.

Once Lily was finished eating, he quickly washed the cups and dishes, then helped her get ready. Today was time for another family meeting at the Burrow, and they were already running a bit late.

Half an hour later, he and his daughter landed in front of the building after he had sidelong Apparated them there. Entering, Harry noticed Hermione and Hugo were already there.

“When is Lily coming?” the little Weasley whined, then he turned and his face broke in an huge grin seeing her there. The two kids ran to hug each other, and all the adults laughed softly.

Harry met Hermione's warm brown eyes, and his breath caught in his throat. It was such a different shade of brown from Ginny's, so he could not mistake them for the eyes of his deceased wife, and yet he felt happy when gazing into them, like he was safe again. He reasoned it was because she had been his friend so long, and shrugged the strange feeling starting to develop inside himself.

Arthur soon involved them all in conversation about the last Muggle objects he ahd come in contact with, one of them was a personal computer.

“You should have seen it, Molly, it was really amazing. You had this thing where you pushed letters around, and it came written in front of you on a shiny kind of page” he kept telling his wife, while she glared at him. She had never really warmed up to his obsession with Muggle objects.

Harry and Hermione could only smile shaking their heads at the description of a PC that Arthur had just given them.

As Molly busied herself in the kitchen to start preparing lunch, Hermione and Harry listened to Arthur's stories, grateful that the older man could keep their minds off their problems for the time being.

Once they had eaten and the kids were down for their afternoon kip, Harry and Hermione took a walk around the woods behind the Burrow.

“So, how are you doing?” Harry finally asked.

She shrugged. “Going on” Hermione replied, then she stopped. “I miss him a lot, Harry” she said, tears welling up in her eyes. “I miss him, but I have to stay strong for Hugo, and it's difficult”

He pulled her into an hug, and kissed the top of her head. “You know you have me if you ever need something, right?” he whispered.

She wiped her eyes angrily. She didn't mean to cry in front of him, and yes, he had been a wonderful friend to her since the…event. She was grateful to him for that, but she was also scared.

She wished for his company constantly, and it seemed wrong. Her husband was dead not long ago and here she already craved the presence of another man in her life, although it was their mutual best friend.

Hermione had never cheated on her husband in twenty years of marriage, but she felt like she was starting to do that now. That was why she had tried to keep herself away from Harry a bit, since the kids had gone back to school.

However, when he held like that, she felt content and safe, and it was a good feeling. Nothing wrong could feel so good, she reasoned.

So, she moved back a bit, and sent him a tentative smile. “Thanks for being here for me, Harry”

“You've always been on my side, Hermione” he said, grinning back. “It's time I do the same for you”

She nodded, although she had never asked for him to acknowledge her constant presence in their Hogwarts years, it felt good to know he appreciated that.

“So, how are things going with Lily?” she asked, to change the subject from herself. Harry sighed.

“Well, I guess she's making progresses. She barely cries at night anymore, and she's been more cheerful this last couple of days” he told her.

“That's good, isn't it?” she asked, her brows furrowed in confusion. It was like Harry didn't like his daughter's progresses.

“Yes, it's good” he said with an half smile. “But I can tell she misses a mother figure, and I can't give that to her”

Hermione nodded. “I can tell Hugo misses his father too. More than that, he misses a father in general”

Harry looked at her, and suddenly he grinned. Why hadn't he thought of it earlier?

“Hermione, why don't you and Hugo move in with me and Lily? They will be ecstatic to be able to play together all time, that will take their minds off their losses, plus if Hugo needs a father figure, I can give it to him, you know how much I love him”

Hermione was taken aback. Moving in with him? That sounded appealing. Too appealing for her taste.

“I dunno. I think it's too soon to push another parent figure in their lives” she reasoned, although it was more of an excuse to refuse than a real worry. With that, she left him there, walking back to the house.

Harry stood in the wood, dumbfounded, and hoping he hadn't ruined their friendship because they more than ever needed each other now.

Hermione, in the meantime, was angry at herself. She didn't mean to leave like she had done. But if she stayed there she might have accepted his offer, and she didn't think it was right, not if she felt so drawn to him. But after all, was it so bad that two best friends leaned on each other for support in a time like that one?

That night, Harry was in the living room watching some telly, Lily was already in bed, when he heard the fireplace come to life.

Turning, he was surprised to see Hermione and Hugo stepping out of it with two big trunks. She nodded to him, then went upstairs to place Hugo in Lily's room and put him to bed.

Harry in the meantime got up from the couch and followed her. Silently he watched her tuck her son in, careful not to wake Lily, and in the moonlight reflecting on her face, he was once more struck by how angelic her features looked. She readjusted a tendril of hair behind her ear, and then looked up, feeling his gaze on her.

At her questioning look, he simply shook his head smiling, feeling butterflies in his belly when she smiled back, her own eyes twinkling.

They then walked back to the living room.

“I changed my mind” she simply stated answering the question in his eyes.

“And you barge into my house without checking if that's ok?” he playfully scolded her. “What if I was having my way with a young, sexy witch?”

“In that case, Mr. Potter, I would have hexed you into the next millennium for not being respectful of your dead wife” she retorted as playfully.

“And what if I had just exited the shower and was starkers?” he questioned again, teasingly. “What would have you done then, Mrs. Weasley?”

She flushed scarlet red at the image of a starkers Harry forming in her mind. She remembered how his body felt good when they had impersonated him all those years ago leaving Privet Drive, and now he was far more muscled, thanks to his Auror training.

“W-well…” she stammered, and Harry laughed.

“I win” he smirked, making an impromptu winning dance in front of her.

She started laughing and hit him softly on his head with her purse. “Prat”

“Well, it's not any day one makes Hermione Granger speechless” he said, not realizing his little slip. Hermione had to admit it was too much she didn't hear her maiden name, and it felt good.

“Shut up, Potter, and go fetch me a glass of pumpkin juice. I'm thirsty” she said. As he gave her a mock military salute, she sat on the couch smiling.

Things were looking up for them, and together they would find a way out of sorrow and to happiness, again.

-->

9. The Yule Ball


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Nine: The Yule Ball

It was now a month since the deaths of Ron and Ginny. At Hogwarts, James had found great help from Rob and Kate to overcome the pain of the loss.

His best mate had the definite sensation that something was going on between the oldest Potter kid and the brunette, even if the two of them were too blind to see it.

“I guess I'll have to enlist Albus and Rose's help” he thought to himself grinning

“What makes you so happy, Rob?” James asked, ruffling his hair, as he joined him at the Gryffindor table for breakfast. Kate looked up hearing his voice and she blushed, then buried herself again in the Daily Prophet.

“Oh, nothing, just wondering who I may ask to the upcoming Yule Ball” the blonde said, nonchalantly.

“I dunno if I'll go” James said, frowning. If he did, he would probably have to go with Serena, since she still was his girlfriend. He hadn't had the heart to break up with her, yet, although she got on his nerves constantly now.

Having to spend the whole night with her was not something he wished. Now, if he could pass it with Kate…

“Stop it, Potter” he chastised himself. “She's just your best friend”

And with that, he silently filled his plate with pancakes, sausages and eggs.

Rob, however, wasn't ready to let the matter go. “Who are you going with, Kate?” he asked, a bit too flirtatiously for James' taste, who suddenly looked up.

“I-I don't know yet” she stammered, her cheeks turning pink again.

Now James was definitely interested. She was blushing so she had to have her eye on someone. He needed to know who the guy was, to have a nice chat with him. She was his best friend after all, he needed to protect her.

This is the way he justified it to himself, but anyone could have said him he was just delusional about that, as he usually did, lately, when it came to Kate.

Rose, who had been listening to the conversation, rolled her eyes at her older cousin. Albus, instead, was definitely not interested. After all he was still a third year, so he could not go if some girl from fourth year or more asked him to, and that was less than likely.

As he and Rose left to go to their first lesson, Care of Magical Creatures, they were joined by Scorpius Malfoy, who settled himself on Rose's right side, while Albus was on the left. The two boys had learned to be civil to each other for her sake, as the Slytherin had become a constant companion for her.

She cherished the new friendship lots, and found out that Scorpius had not this much friends himself. Now that he had pushed away Natalie and Vincent to stand by her side, he was as alone as she was. The fact he was a Malfoy gave him some respect in the Slytherin common room, but the fact he was “associating with the enemy”, as his housemates put it, made him lose some of it.

“Division between houses is so childish” Rose had said. “My mother always says we should all be friends and unite, to avoid the errors of the past”

“Your mum is smart then” Scorpius joked. He knew his father would probably not agree with him but he thought the hate between Gryffindor and Slytherin was stupid. The fact that a lovely witch like Rose was in Gryffindor reinforced his idea on the matter.

After their lessons, going back to the castle, they saw some girls gossiping and giggling.

“Sure enough they are talking about the Ball” Rose snorted. “It's all the older girls can think about these days”

Albus and Scorpius looked at each other, one of the few times they didn't glare at the other, completely confused. What was so special about that Ball?

However, in few days time, Scorpius changed his view of the event. He had decided that it was no use to wait more, and he wanted to let Rose know how he felt about her.

“I mean, it's not like I'm in love with her, but she's fun, she's witty and smart, and she's also good looking” he reasoned to himself. “I know she would probably turn me down, since I'm a Malfoy and all, but at least she would know I fancy her”

Then he slammed his book shut in frustration. “Damned that rule about only fourth years and older being able to go!” he thought.

His fellow Slytherins snickered.

“What, the Weasley girl got your pants in a twist, Malfoy?” they teased him, and he glared at them all, then went to his dorm.

“At least, she can't go too” he reasoned, to calm himself, while lying on his bed, his eyes closed. As he did so, he kept seeing her face smiling at him, something that had happened often lately. Well, since he stuck up for her, actually.

And with that, he drifted off to sleep, content.

In the meantime, James was patrolling the corridors as his prefect status required of him. Kate was not with him at the moment, she had an essay to finish so he had volunteered to go alone and let her work on it.

He grinned to himself remembering the dazzling smile she had given him.

He found he thought of her a whole lot lately, and that made him both happy and troubled. See, he had started noticing things like how her lips were full and seemingly soft, how her face would glow in the firelight, and he wanted so much to stroke her hair…

Shaking his head, he tried to clear his mind of this kind of images, they were definitely not going to help him in convincing himself she was just his best friend.

Since nothing happened, he thought wise to go back to his dorm to have some sleep. However, as he stepped into the common room, which felt quite chilly now that the fire had died, he noticed her sleeping form on the couch. She still had books sprawled before her, and he shook his head smiling.

He could have woken her up and let her go to her dorm, but he was transfixed by the angelic look on her face. Pushing a tendril of hair back behind her ear, he closed her books, stacked them near the couch, and conjured a warm blanket to cover her.

As he did so, she snuggled under it, emitting a soft sound that seemed something like a purr. James was shocked to find he was kind of excited by that. He and Serena had snogged times and times again, and she had moaned lots into their kissing, but no sound she ever did could match the effect Kate's soft purr had on him.

Troubled, he flicked his wand to the fireplace, starting the fire again, then he walked up to his dorm, where he snuck into bed, and immediately fell asleep, thinking of a certain brunette.

-------------------------------------------------

As the days passed, Rob got more and more frustrated with his friends' blindness. James and Kate were still dancing around each other, and the Ball was near. If he didn't act quickly, James would go with Serena, and the chance would be missed.

No, there was work to be done, and he knew he had to exploit James' jealousy. He took Albus and Rose apart, and explained them his plan.

“Why are we doing this if James already has a girlfriend? She's hot too” Albus innocently asked. Rose smacked him on the head.

“Because she's not right for your brother, you git. Anyone could see he and Kate are perfect for each other” she glared at him. Then, turning to Rob, she smiled. “We will help” she agreed for both her and Albus, who then followed her to their next class, Charms.

So, they started the rumour that Kate was going to the Ball with the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain. It wasn't true, of course, but in Hogwarts Castle news fly, even when they are not supposed to, so it soon enough reached James' ears.

He didn't like it. Not one bit. Rob almost laughed seeing his face at the news. As Kate arrived at breakfast that morning, a dreamy smile on her face, Rob almost doubled over. He didn't know what made her so happy but whatever it was, it worked greatly with the rumour they had spread.

James noticed her expression too. He wasn't Harry's son for nothing, and couldn't stop himself from blurting out the question.

“Are you going to the Ball with someone?” he casually asked.

“No, why?” she asked, dumbfounded.

“Don't lie to me, Kate” James growled. Rob grew preoccupied, he hadn't expected that.

“I'm not lying, James Sirius Potter” she narrowed her eyes at him. James knew he was in trouble, she never called him with his full name if she wasn't extremely pissed at him, but he was angry too. He wasn't ready to let go.

“What about Herbert Goldstein?” he said, his brown eyes growing darker.

“You know what, I never thought about it. I might ask him myself after breakfast” Kate spat back, then she left.

James stood up too, and followed her.

Rob and Rose exchanged a look as to say things were definitely not going like they had imagined.

As he stalked her through the halls, James finally managed to grab Kate's wrist.

“Let go of me, Potter” she snarled, turning and pointing her own wand at him.

“Go with me to the Ball” he blurted out, a fierce look in his eyes, as he gently pushed her on the wall of the corridor, trapping her there with his body.

She looked up at him, and her anger melted away. She could not meet his eyes and not feel like snogging him senseless for hours.

Kate let her wand fall, as her insides almost literally turned into a puddle, and grabbed his arm for support.

“Yes” she breathed.

He grinned and leaned in, wanting to kiss her. There was no way he could cover what had just happened with them being best friends, and he was ready to admit it now. He had fallen for his best friend and was still falling harder day by day.

However, their lips never met, as they heard footsteps coming, and they hastily pushed themselves away form the other.

They sighed their relief seeing it was just Rob.

“Oi!” he called to them. “Here you are. You two not going to blast the school away, right?” he joked, and the pair nervously laughed, joining him in his walk to Transfiguration.

---------------------------------------------

If Scorpius Malfoy was mad at not being able to ask Rose to the Ball, he was downright furious two days later. He was just going to their lesson, they had Potions, when he heard someone talking in the hall. He looked from behind a corner, and it was Rose with a fourth year Hufflepuff, Stephan Hoggler.

“I was wondering…would you like to come to the Ball with me?” the boy asked.

Rose was completely taken aback from the question. Quickly reasoning it would be rude to say no, she nodded. After all the one she wanted to ask her couldn't because of the school rules, so it was pointless to wait for him to do that.

“Yes” she said then, smiling. The boy smiled back.

“It's settled then. I'll see you in front of the Great Hall at seven, ok?”

“Ok” she said, still a bit dazzled about the fact she had said yes.

Scorpius wanted to bang his head on the wall.

“Perfect, now she's going to have the night of her life with that bloke and will never look at me twice” he scowled, moving to join her as she was going to the dungeons too.

-------------------------------------------

It was finally the day of the Ball, and Rose felt elated. True, she didn't even know the bloke that well, but she was going to be there! She had that smile on her face all day, and knew now why the other girls felt so happy about going, and giggled for hours about it.

Scorpius couldn't bear the idea of her going to the Ball with someone else, and her stupid grin reminded him of that constantly.

“Have a nice night, Weasley” he snarled at her while going away after their last class of the day. She looked at his retreating form wondering what the hell was wrong with him. He had not called her Weasley in more than a month and sure enough he had not used that tone with her for the same time.

She didn't have time to dwell on that though, she had to go and get ready for the Ball. Her mother had sent her a set of new robes, they were light blue, and she loved them.

As the Ball started, couples met in front of the Great Hall. There was a huge crowd, and Serena was waiting for James. They had not talked about it, but of course they would go together. They were a couple after all.

So, she was completely shocked to see him walk down the stairs with Kate on his arm. She was wearing a red dress who made her look divine, Serena had to admit. It clung to her body perfectly and showed part of her back, and some of her cleavage too. Her hair was smoothed and collected behind her head, only two tendrils adorned her face; she had just an hint of make up, as she didn't really need it to look beautiful. James couldn't take his eyes off her, and they were laughing at something she had said.

Serena marched toward the couple.

“James!” she shrilly said. “Why is she on your arm?”

“Uh, well…we are going to the Ball” he lamely explained.

“But I'm your girlfriend, you're supposed to go with me!” the blonde girl protested. James hated himself for letting her know like this, but it was now or never.

“Serena, I'm sorry. I know this is the worst way I could let you know, but…it's over. We should stop seeing each other” and with one last apologetic look at her, he walked inside the Great Hall with the girl on his arm.

Serena was left there, crying, and soon later retreated to her dorm, heartbroken.

Once inside, they headed for a table where Rob and his date, a fourth year Gryffindor named Jennifer Finnegan, daughter of Harry's former fellow Gryffindor Seamus Finnegan, were waiting for them.

As the four grabbed something to eat, James noticed Rose.

“What is she doing here?” he asked, protectively.

“She's been asked by a fourth year Hufflepuff” Rob explained. “Don't worry mate, she's more than able to look after herself, if she's so similar to her mother like you say”

James, smiled, and nodded. “She's a miniature of Aunt Hermione” he confirmed. “Yes, I'm sure she will be fine” he agreed then.

Soon music started to sound, and James stood up.

“Miss Winters, would you give me the honour of this dance?” he asked, holding out an hand for her.

“Why, you're so courteous, Mr. Potter. I think I'll accept your offer” she said, smiling shyly at him and taking his hand, following him on the dance floor.

Rob chuckled. “Seems my plan to get them together is working, although not exactly like I envisioned it” he mused, remembering the almost blow out the two of them had few days ago at breakfast. His date smiled, and nodded. “They are so cute” she agreed dreamily.

As the two of them danced, James pulled her close, and she rested her head on his chest, feeling in heaven. She sighed happily, and kept moving to the music together with him.

As the song ended and another slow one started, she pushed herself away a bit to look at him in the eyes, and found him grinning at her, in that way which always made her knees go weak.

She didn't know who moved first, but soon enough their faces were mere inches away, and few moments later their lips met.

It was like a ton of fireworks had erupted behind his eyelids, James fleetingly thought, before running his tongue on her lower lip to ask for entrance. She eagerly let him in, and their tongues started a dance of their own, exploring each other's mouth, caressing, searching the other like their life depended on that.

He pulled her close and deepened the kiss even more, feeling his need for her become overwhelming, and she moaned softly into his mouth. That sent a jolt of electricity through his whole body, something he had never experienced before.

As they parted for lack of air, he took her hand and led her out of the room, to a more secluded place to continue what they had started.

Rose couldn't help grinning and high-fiving Rob, who grinned back.

As for her own Ball, it wasn't bad. Nothing excellent though, and that bloke, while trying to be attentive, still stepped on her toes twice. She just had to stop dancing before her feet hurt too much.

She was currently drinking some Butterbeer and wondering what Scorpius might be doing at the moment. The Gryffindor girl was still bothered by his words that afternoon.

Rose decided to go and find him. To the hell with the Ball if the only true friend she had managed to have outside of her cousins was sad or troubled for some reason.

So she left, wishing good night to Rob, and went to the place she suspected him to be. It had become their place to go and talk with each other when they felt sad for any reason.

As she made it to the lake, Rose could see someone sitting near the shore, and immediately recognized him.

“Scorpius!” she called. The blonde turned, shocked to see her there.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. “Didn't you have a date for the Ball?”

“Oh, it didn't feel so good to be there without my best friend” she confessed, sitting near him, and sending him a shy smile.

He looked at her and he could see she was sincere.

“So what were you up to?” she asked then.

“Just thinking” he shrugged. “Nothing important”

They sat there chatting for a while, both feeling better than the whole evening till that moment. Rose shivered as wind blew past them, and Scorpius wrapped his cloak around her. She smiled to let him know she appreciated the gesture, and he nodded.

Finally, it was time for them to go back to the castle. As they were at the start of the stairs to Gryffindor Tower, they wished the other good night.

“And have a merry Christmas” Scorpius said, then he leaned in to kiss her. Only, at the last moment he chickened out and ended kissing her just on the corner of her lips. Then, blushing, he waved her one last time and left to his common room, leaving behind a confused Rose Weasley, who stood there touching the spot he had kissed, wondering what had just happened.

-->

10. Christmas Holidays


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Ten: Christmas Holidays

The Hogwarts Express was running quickly through the landscape, bringing back home the students for Christmas.

James, Albus and Rose were in the same compartment, the oldest Potter with one arm wrapped around his new girlfriend who was snuggling with him, an huge grin on her lips, Albus reading a Quidditch magazine and Rose, well, Rose was looking outside, her mind occupied by a certain Slytherin.

She had not seen him since the kiss he gave her the previous night, and she was confused. And disappointed too, a bit.

She was sure he was going to really kiss her, and while frightened, she was also happy that he would do that. Instead, he didn't.

“Sickle for your thoughts?” James asked her softly.

She looked at him, an half smile on her lips and shook her head. Kate looked at the younger girl.

“Something you wish to talk with me about?” she knowingly inquired. Rose thought about that a bit, then nodded.

The two witches left, after Kate gave a quick peck on the lips to her boyfriend. He shook his head smiling and giving her a little smack on her bum as she walked away with his cousin. She feigned to be outraged, before she burst in a fit of giggles.

When they returned, Rose seemed much brighter, and remained that way till they arrived to King's Cross.

Taking their baggage, they went on the platform to find Hermione, Hugo, Lily and Harry waiting them with huge grins on their faces.

Rose immediately ran to hug her mother, she had missed her lots, while Harry looked at his sons and noticed how close James was holding Kate, one arm around her waist, and the happiness in both their eyes.

He raised an eyebrow at his oldest son when his girlfriend was occupied greeting Hermione, and James simply grinned.

Harry was happy for his son. He had always liked the brunette girl, and knew she would be a good match for his eldest.

Just before leaving with his family, James joined her again.

“This is for you” he whispered, taking a package from his pocket. “Your Christmas gift” he added then. “Promise me you will be a good girl and won't open it before it is due” he joked then, just inches apart from her lips.

It was extraordinary how he couldn't keep his hands off of her, and the same went for her.

“Give me something to make the wait worth” she purred flirtatiously, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“You trying to seduce me, Ms. Winters?” he murmured.

“Maybe. Would that be bad?” she coyly replied.

“Not at all” he huskily said, before kissing her hungrily. He had to go two whole weeks without seeing her, and wondered how would he be able to.

Soon enough they remembered they were not alone and they both needed to go. As they parted, they stood some moments resting with their foreheads on the other's one.

“It's going to be hard, two weeks without you” he murmured.

“I know. But we will manage, somehow” she reasoned. “We will have to”

“This doesn't make it more enjoyable, you know” he pouted.

She giggled. “Come on, don't be a cry-baby” she teased him, then with a quick peck on the lips moved away. It was hard but someone had to do it.

“This is for you” she said softly, handing him a package too.

He took it, and waved her good bye as she was walking away still looking at him, then blew her a kiss. The gesture made her feel all giddy as she walked to join her own parents.

Once she was gone, he sighed, turning to join his family.

“Guys, there have been some news while you were away” Harry said, before they left the station. “Aunt Hermione and Hugo, and Rose now, of course, have moved in with us”

James and Albus were surprised, but then broke into identical grins. “Great!”

Rose was happy too, and Hermione beamed at her daughter. She had been worried about her but it seemed she had managed. Who would have thought that the son of Draco Malfoy would have helped her daughter so much through an hard time?

Soon enough, all of them were into Harry's house. Well, Harry and Hermione's, now.

“Now, Albus and James will share a room, as well as Hugo and Lily. Rose will have her own” Harry explained to them.

“Hermione will stay in the guest room in the same floor of the master bedroom, that will be where I'll sleep” he concluded. “This way we will both be near to Lily and Hugo if they need anything”

As everyone settled in their room, Harry proceeded to prepare dinner for them all.

Hermione joined him, and as he protested, she replied she couldn't let him do it by himself. She just felt she needed to help.

He relented, and had her prepare the table, while he finished cooking.

They all ate merrily, and joked a lot. Harry mused that probably the worst was behind them. Sure, there would be times when the absence of Ron and Ginny would be felt again, and one of those times was coming, as Christmas at the Burrow would never be the same without them, but still, he was somewhat satisfied with the progresses the kids, him and Hermione had made in barely a couple of months.

When Hermione went upstairs to put both Lily and Hugo to sleep, and while Rose was occupied reading a school book starting on her homework already, and Albus was watching a Muggle movie, Harry approached James.

“So, tell me about this thing you and Kate have” he teased his oldest son.

James blushed scarlet red, and started telling him how they finally realized what they were feeling. Well, how he realized it, at least.

When he told his father how he had asked her to the Ball, Harry had to cast the Silencing Charm on the room before doubling over in laughter.

“That's sexual tension if I've ever seen some” he said then, still grinning.

James was a bit embarrassed, but smiled all the same. “I guess you can say that” he conceded.

“If you want my opinion, you're lucky, son. She's an amazing witch from what I know of her and my suggestion is to keep her close, because you'll hardly find another like her in your life”

James nodded. Then he decided to ask something that had been on his mind since they came back home.

“Dad…do you fancy Aunt Hermione?”

Harry almost choked on his Butterbeer. “Why do you think that?”

“Well…” his son started. “I don't know, maybe it's silly, but the way you act around each other…it kind of reminds me of me and Kate, so I wondered if maybe…” he never finished the sentence but Harry knew what he was implying.

“We all have a long day, tomorrow, James. I think you should go to sleep and rest” Harry said, to change the subject. His son recognized the dismissal and left. As he went, he turned and spoke again. “Dad, nothing that feels so good can be wrong” he said before continuing up to his room.

Harry stayed there for at least an hour mulling on what his son had said. Could he possibly be in love with Hermione? Thinking of it, the idea didn't seem so farfetched as he thought at first.

But what about her feelings? And what if he was wrong? Could he risk his friendship with her pursuing a possible romance?

He had to admit he had felt drawn to her more and more lately, and kept noticing how good she looked, and every single little gesture she did that endeared her to him.

Deep in thought as he was, he never noticed how late it was till someone entered the kitchen.

“Still awake, Harry?” Hermione's soft voice startled him. He turned and smiled.

“Yes, I was just thinking about things” he said, standing up to place his glass into the sink. Then he wished her good night, and left, leaving her bewildered. He just had to get away from her, the sight of her in her nightgown was too much to bear in his confused state.

As Christmas morning came by, Hermione and Harry were assaulted by their youngest children, demanding to have their gifts.

Harry chuckled, took Lily in his arms and led her downstairs to the Christmas tree were the presents were stacked. Hermione did the same with Hugo, and they all met in the living room. Hearing the confusion, James, Rose and Albus also came down, staggering on the steps as sleep was still fresh for them.

Lily and Hugo tore open package after package, even those who weren't theirs, then they would handle the gift to the right owner.

Rose got the latest edition of “Hogwarts: A History” from Harry, a stack of Sugar Quills from Albus since he knew she had a knack for them, and a Gryffindor necklace from James, “So you'll never forget which house you come from” he said her with a wink, clearly referring to her growing affection for Scorpius. She blushed. Finally she had a new set of robes from her mother. But the gift she treasured the most was delivered only later that day. A black owl came and with it a letter from Scorpius, and a little package.

“Dear Rose,

I'm sorry for acting strange the day of the Yule Ball. I didn't mean to be rude to you that afternoon, and then, I messed it up worse avoiding you since our good nights. I wish I could explain you why I acted like this, but the fact is that I don't really know myself. I feel drawn to you, Rose, and it scares me, but makes me happy too. In the package there is my gift to you for Christmas, but don't worry, you don't need to send me one, it's just a little thing that made me think of you, so I thought you might like it

See you at school, and again, Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope you all are fine, with everything that has happened.

Your friend,

Scorpius”

As she opened the package, it contained a framed picture of the two of them playing near the lake, both laughing. She smiled softly at the memory, and felt her heart soar. If it was time he needed, she would give it to him. For now, she was content enough that they were friends.

Then it was Albus' turn. He got a Puddlemere United Quidditch outfit from Hermione, he had wanted that for ages, a book on Patronuses from Rose who knew he wanted to learn conjuring one like his father had done at his age; James instead got him a box of Honeydukes' best sweets. Harry, finally, gave him a new broom, a Nimbus 2007.

As for James, he got new Quidditch gloves from Hermione, some pranks from George's shop from Albus, who winked at him, and some sweets from Rose. Harry gifted him a new broom too, as his son had become Quidditch Captain at such an young age he deserved the best, and so Harry got him the new Firebolt 2007. “Be careful, though. That thing is damn fast even for a skilled flier like you” Harry alerted him with a chuckle. James nodded, grinning. He could already picture himself on it, catching the Snitch in no time.

It was time to open Kate's gift. He opened it, and it naturally engorged from the tiny package into a photo book with pictures of the two of them through the years. He had a tear rolling down his cheek at the sight, it was such a thoughtful gift, but after all she had always been like that with him. Excusing himself he retreated to his room to write her, hoping she had appreciated the silver locket he had gifted her, with their initials engraved on the back, and a photo of them at the Ball inside it.

As for Hermione, she cherished Harry's gift lots. It was a first edition of Rowena Ravenclaw's “Extraordinaire Charms”. She wondered how could he have gotten hold of it, but she didn't really want to know. What mattered was that he knew her well enough to know she would be ecstatic to have it, and did all he could to get it for her.

She hugged him tightly, and kissed him on the cheek.

He chuckled. “If this is what I get, remind me to get you rare books on a daily basis” he joked, and she playfully swatted his arm. Rose raised her eyebrows at that.

“Am I wrong or they are flirting?” she mused. “I'll need to talk with James about this” she decided.

Later, they left to reach the Burrow and have the traditional Christmas feast. Molly outdid herself once again, and a moment of silence was respected in memory of Ginny and Ron. She broke into tears, and Arthur did his best to comfort her. Fleur was pregnant again, it was a boy this time, and Teddy was still with Victoire. Actually, Harry found out his godson had intention to propose soon, as the young man said himself to him taking him apart after lunch.

They passed the afternoon together, chatting and joking around. Lily and Hugo managed to keep everyone's spirits high, as they always could bring a smile to the adults' lips. They were so cute together.

As night came, Bill, Fleur, Victoire and Teddy left, followed soon by George, Percy, Penelope, who he had married in the years of absence from the Burrow, and Charlie who had managed to come but now needed to go back to Romania to his dragons.

That left Harry, Hermione and the kids with Arthur and Molly. Albus, Rose and James involved each other in conversation about things going on at Hogwarts, mostly gossip to be truthful, and Hermione joined Harry outside to look at the beautiful night.

Snow covered most of the landscape, and it really seemed some far away place, not just the English countryside.

“It's beautiful” she said, moving to his side.

“Definitely” he grinned. “And relaxing, too” he added, looking sideways at her. She caught his stare and smiled.

“I know I've already said it, but thanks for being by my side, Harry” she said then, turning totally toward him now. He nodded and hugged her.

There was no need of words because she knew he would always be, and he knew she had understood. Looking into her eyes, he started leaning in, moving to taste her lips as he had wanted for a long time. James questioning him about what he felt for her had been the last straw, and now he could not hide his feelings anymore.

However, their lips never met.

A noise of steps coming that way made them spring apart, and James looked slightly puzzled at their flushed faces. Then it dawned on him.

“Dad, I'm going to sleep” he said, “you and Aunt Hermione are the last two awake. Just thought I'd let you know”

Harry nodded, and once he was inside, James muttered angrily against himself. He knew how frustrating could be to be interrupted just before kissing, and he had just done that to them. He would have to make it up to his dad somehow.

In the meantime, the silence was oddly awkward between Harry and Hermione. It had never been, for them, but now both knew what was moments from happening, and both felt nervous about it.

Finally, he sighed. “We better get some rest too” he smiled, opening the back door for her. She nodded, and went up to her room without a word to him.

Some days passed, and James approached Harry and Hermione. “I think you two should go out tonight. We are going to leave for school soon, and you'll have to care about Lily and Hugo then, but tonight I can look after the others. Rose will help me too, right?” he said, turning to his cousin with a wink. They had discussed the matter and had agreed that was their best chance at setting their parents together like they deserved to be.

The two adults weren't so convinced, however even Hermione had to admit she could not win an argument with her own daughter, so in the end they relented.

“They practically kicked us out of the house” Harry chuckled, once they were outside. Hermione, with her arm around his own, laughed softly.

“Yes, they definitely did”

“I think they are right though. We kind of deserved a night all for ourselves” he said, with his usual infectious grin, and Hermione couldn't help agreeing.

So they went to “The Magical Garden”.

“It was some time we came here, right?” he wistfully said, sitting at the table. She stretched her hand to cover his own. “I know, Harry. But they wouldn't want us to feel sad”

He shook his head. “No, they wouldn't”

They placed their orders, Hermione chose a Merlin's Salad, which was the Wizarding equivalent of the Muggle Caesar's Salad, as she wasn't really hungry, and Harry chose a Roasted Frightening Swordfish. He felt quite full already too.

As the dinner progressed, they made small talk, for once free from having to think about their children, and had some white wine to drink. Then, they walked back through Diagon Alley before heading home. He took her hand and entwined their fingers and she smiled at the gesture, squeezing.

Finally, the chill wind started biting at them, so they Apparated home. As they did, they landed in the doorframe between the kitchen and the living room.

Suddenly, the lights dimmed, and from above them mistletoe started descending.

Harry had to laugh, shaking his head. His son and his niece had planned it well.

“Well, it seems we are under the mistletoe, Ms. Granger” he teased her. She had wanted to take back her maiden name, so she was now officially Ms. Granger again.

“I guess we have to go along with the tradition, then, Mr. Potter” she teased back, inching closer to him.

“I like how your mind works” he huskily said, before pulling her to him and claiming her lips. She laced her arms around his neck and moaned into his kiss. It was something new, she couldn't tell if better than kissing Ron or not but it was sure enough different. She ran her tongue on his lips to ask for entrance and he eagerly complied. Tongues started battling, exploring the other's mouth and caressing, now harder and then with a slower rhythm, a feeling of fulfilment growing into both their bodies.

Soon, their kiss grew even more heated, and hands started roaming.

But Harry, as gentlemanly as always, pulled back before they got too far. “I think we need to slow down” he breathed, as much as he wanted to continue. Then wished her good night and started toward his room. He had to use all his willpower to do that and not take her right there, but he felt it right to take things step by step.

Hermione looked at his retreating form, feeling confused between her love for him and the feeling she was cheating on Ron's memory. However, Ron wasn't there now and he would not want her to live alone forever, crying over his tomb.

As for Harry's feelings, what had happened had just proved her where he stood. Feeling content, she headed to her own room, a grin on her face, not knowing a couple of teenagers had just witnessed the scene thanks to George's new invention, the “Peek Through Walls” lenses, and were now winking at each other.

-->

11. Back To Hogwarts


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This is a bit shorter than the last two, hope you'll like it all the same.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Eleven: Back To Hogwarts

The kids had left once again for school, and were now in the Gryffindor common room. Albus had gone to sleep, Rob and Kate were in one corner going over some Potions essay, and James excused himself from them for a moment.

He needed to have a word with Rose, who was currently reading in front of the fire.

“So, what's up, cousin?” he joked, sitting near her. She raised her eyes and smiled at him.

“Nothing new, same usual routine of going to lesson, doing the work, and such”

James nodded. He was still a bit embarrassed about the subject so he didn't really know how to start.

“You want to talk about Uncle Harry and Mum, right?” she guessed, and he nodded.

“I know they kissed” he whispered. “But I kept a close eye on them after that, and nothing else happened since. It's like…it's like they are scared!”

“Yeah, I know. they were also strangely a bit more awkward and distant from each other the last days we were there” she mused, closing her book. “But I'm absolutely sure thye love each other, James. They will have to admit it soon or later, and if this means we will have to work on it at Easter hols, we will” she said, determined.

James agreed.

“Yeah, they definitely need to open their eyes and accept the truth. Maybe we should talk to them and reassure them that they have our consent. I mean, Hugo and Lily are too young to understand things like this yet so they would never notice the difference. Albus is ok with it, I talked with him, so maybe if we tell them they have nothing to fear, it will ease their minds”

Rose thought about James' suggestion.

“Yeah, it may work. We need to do that face to face though, not through letters, so we will have to wait for the next holidays” she considered.

“They waited twenty years, they can wait a couple months, I guess” James joked, and Rose nodded, smiling.

“Is there anyone else I need to play matchmaker for?” he then teased her. She blushed scarlet red. “Don't you dare” she muttered.

“Aww, you got it bad for little Scorpikins here” he said, laughing, and Rose glared at him. But then, when he was going to say something more, he felt a finger placed on his lips, and looked up to meet the eyes of his girlfriend.

“James, behave” she scolded him softly. “Plus, would you like to leave your cousin be and pay some attention to your girlfriend?” she cooed.

“I definitely think that's a good idea” he huskily agreed, picking her up and carrying her to a dark corner in the room. Rose shook her head, amused, and caught Rob's eye.

He mouthed, “He's totally whipped” and the Weasley girl couldn't help bursting in laughter, but the couple never paid them attention. They were too wrapped up in themselves to care about them, anyhow.

Next morning, Scorpius waited for her outside the Great Hall. She was surprised to see him there, and ran to hug him.

“How have you been?” she asked, smiling.

“Well” he smiled back. “Especially since I got your letter” he added then, his grey eyes meeting her brown ones.

She blushed a bit, and nodded. “Thanks for the picture, I brought it here and it's on my bedpost, I look at it every morning” she admitted.

“So do I” he said. Then they entered the room and went for their house tables, nodding to each other. That could do nothing else than set aflame the rumour that they were dating, thus both of them were constantly teased about it by their housemates.

Rose found it quite annoying, she wasn't used to the attention, but luckily both Albus and Scorpius were enough to scare away whoever tried to tease her. The two boys had slowly warmed up to the other and now it wasn't hard to find them studying together even if she wasn't there, although they weren't properly friends yet.

“You just need to resist till some other rumour comes out, then they won't even remember about you and Scorpius” Kate reassured her.

“But it can take months!” Rose whined. She didn't want her cousin and Scorpius to risk getting detention for defending her, nor she wanted to get it herself.

“Hey, who says we can't help a new rumour to find its way to Hogwarts Castle?” Kate winked at her. “Leave it to me” she said then, and left.

Rose wondered what the older girl was up to.

She found out a couple days later, when at breakfast an Hufflepuff girl and a Ravenclaw boy got letters and then turned toward each other. Kate smiled at Rose who had looked at her in realization. Soon the school picked up on the new couple and started gossiping about them, although it wasn't so fun as gossiping about Malfoy's son fancying a Weasley.

“Future Potter, if everything goes as it should” Rose often thought.

--------------------------------

As the time for the next Hogsmeade weekend came, Scorpius was elated. This was something he could ask Rose to go with him to. Anyway, thinking about it and doing it were two different things. For days he tried to find the right moment to ask her, but he never did. He started to get frustrated, but he knew he should keep trying, or someone would ask her before him, again.

“No, this time I won't fail” he muttered to himself, taking his books and heading to have breakfast. Albus seemed to have picked up on the fact that Scorpius wanted to talk with his cousin alone, and nodded, going to class before them, so that they could have some privacy.

Rose tried to call him, but he stammered something about having to check a book in the library before joining them, and hastily left. Scorpius was most grateful for that, while Rose looked quite puzzled at where her cousin had been, wondering what that was about.

The blonde boy took a deep breath, and then spoke.

“WouldyouliektogotoHogsmeadewithme?”

“What?” Rose asked, bewildered. “Why don't you speak slower?”

Scorpius sighed. “Would you like to go to Hogsmeade with me?”

Rose looked at him surprised, and he mistook her expression for reject. “I mean, as friends” he hastily added.

“Oh” was her response. “Well, yes, I'd like to” she smiled, although it didn't reach her eyes. He was too happy for her saying yes to notice though.

“So this is all what he thinks of me, then. He must have figured out his feelings” she sadly thought, entering the class and taking her usual seat.

Scorpius was oblivious to Rose's hurt, and grew more excited day after day, as the weekend approached. He knew now why she was so happy to go the Ball, that night, and never noticed she was constantly sad, or at least not happy as before.

She had started distancing herself from him a bit too, as it hurt to fancy someone you know doesn't fancy you back, and she wasn't ready for that.

However, she had agreed to go with him to the village, and so she met him in front of the Great Hall that day. She was dressed with a pair of low cut fitting jeans, a pink t-shirt and a matching sweater. Her hair was collected in a ponytail, and Scorpius swore he ahd never seen a more gorgeous girl.

He couldn't tear his eyes off of her.

“Hi” he finally shyly said. “You look…great”

She smiled, determined to not let her bad mood ruin the day. She was going to have fun with her best friend, and nothing could change that.

As they walked down to the village, they joked with each other, and hearing her soft laughter made Scorpius' heart swell. He suggested they go first to Zonko's, then they looked at some books in the local bookstore and Rose bought some quills she liked. Their next stop was to Honeydukes, where they found they shared a love for Sugar Quills.

She had never seen him with one so she was surprised to know he loved them as much as her.

Finally, both their stomachs rumbled, making the pair start laughing.

“I guess it's time to head to the Three Broomsticks” Rose commented, a twinkle in her eyes that made her even more beautiful to Scorpius.

“Yeah, I agree” he said, and took her hand in his own, following his instinct. She looked sideways at him, and entwined their fingers together, smiling.

Maybe not all was lost.

In there, they found Rob, Jennifer, Kate and James, and joined them at the table. After ordering two Butterbeers and something to eat, they started chatting with the others, who were, with time, adjusting to the idea of a Slytherin being amongst them.

The walk back to the castle was quiet, but it was not awkward. They were comfortable enough with the other to not feel the need to fill the silence with random words.

They spotted Albus talking with some of his friends, and a pretty redhead laughing at something he said.

“Seems your cousin has a fan” Scorpius joked.

Rose nodded, smiling. “Albus is so sweet” she said fondly. “At times I wish he would never change, but I know we all will, as we grow up”

“I hope for the better” Scorpius said, serious.

“You definitely have, this year” Rose encouraged him, and he looked at her, surprised.

“You really think so?” he asked, stopping.

She stopped too, and moved closer. “Yes, I am serious about it” she said, and he could see in her eyes she was sincere.

“I'm glad you think this way” he admitted, resuming their way up to the castle.

“I'm glad we became friends” she retorted, and took his hand giving it a squeeze, which he reciprocated with that charming smile of his.

Once inside, Scorpius escorted her to the Fat Lady, where they had to part ways. As they wished good night to the other, both too tired to go have dinner, plus they weren't that hungry, with all the Honeydukes sweets they had had that afternoon, rose decided to be bold once in her life, and gave him a quick peck on the lips, then she ran inside the common room, leaving a shocked Scorpius Malfoy behind, touching his lips with his fingers.

-->

12. Another Step Forward


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Twelve: Another Step Forward

Harry sighed. As he got up from his bed to go and prepare breakfast, he couldn't stop wondering if that kiss he and Hermione shared had ruined their friendship for good.

Since then, she had avoided him as much as she could living in his same house. He was mildly surprised that she hadn't moved out yet, because her behaviour was a clear sign of not wanting to be around him.

Stepping down the stairs, he was surprised to see the lights in the kitchen were on.

He sighed again. “This is going to be awkward” he thought, walking into the room.

Hermione was there, deep in thought, a mug of coffee in front of her. She didn't even notice he had arrived.

“Good morning” Harry gently said, trying to break the ice. If she wanted to stay just friends, he was ready to give her that. Although, seeing her now, he wondered how could he have missed how beautiful she was, even back in Hogwarts. Maybe they would not be in this situation if he had realized his feelings for her twenty years ago, he mused.

Hearing her voice, she looked up, and was startled to meet a pair of bright green eyes staring back at her.

“Oh. Hi, Harry” she said, suddenly standing up and walking outside the room. Harry growled, this was getting ridiculous.

It was time to set things straight. Albus, Rose and James had left for Hogwarts, it was just him, her and Hugo and Lily who were still fast asleep. They ahd the time to sort things out, and Harry wasn't going to get no as a reply.

Gently grabbing her wrist, he spun her around.

“Hermione” he started, looking her straight in her eyes. “Why don't you go back to your house? It's what you want, right?” he said, more harsh than he meant it.

“What? N-No, I mean, why would I want that?” she asked, confused. She hoped he wasn't kicking her and Hugo out.

“Well, I dunno” he shrugged. “You just seem to bolt from every room you're in if I enter” he casually said. “What should I think if not that you don't want to be around me?” he added, turning again to face her.

She could see the hurt in his eyes, and shook her head. Stepping closer, she hugged him, and revelled in the feeling of being in his arms as he hugged her back, holding her tight to him.

She ahd missed that in the few days she had tried to avoid him.

“I'm just confused, Harry. I want to be with you so much, but then I keep telling myself I should not because we would be disrespectful of Ginny and Ron. I mean, it's just few months they are dead, and we already hook up?”

Harry kissed the top of her head. “I know, Mione” he said, using the nickname she let only him use. “I feel the same at times, but then I remember a thing James said me, and I reckon he is right”

“What did he say?”

“Nothing that feels so good can be wrong”

Hermione chuckled. “Seems a wise thing” she agreed, finally looking again into his eyes.

Harry nodded. They were still in each other arms, and he never wanted to let go.

“Hermione, I love you, and if you want to remain friends, then I can live with that, if the alternative is losing you for good. But, if I was to listen to my heart, I'd have you as much more than a friend”

She shook her head. “You'd never lose me for good, Harry. I've always been by your side and I'm not going to change that now”

“But?” he said, dreading the rest of her speech.

“But…I need some more time” she admitted. “I mean, I want to be with you too, you can't even imagine how much, but I still feel guilty”

Harry nodded. He understood that.

They heard noises upstairs, so decided to pick that talk up later. Lily and Hugo were awake now, so they needed to care about them. However, at least they were not awkward anymore around each other, and this was a good enough improvement for Harry. For the moment, at least.

Some days later, Hermione and Harry took the kids to Hyde Park, where Lily and Hugo had lots of fun playing with the snow still on the ground, and the adults laughed softly together at their antics. Harry was currently holding her close with an arm around her shoulders, and she snuggled into his embrace.

She felt safe, and her wall of guilt was crumbling day after day. She knew she needed to move on, and if she was honest with herself, Harry was the best one she could do that with. After all, the young man had always held a special spot in her heart, and now she understood why.

For once following her instincts, Hermione turned toward him, put her hands on his face and kissed him softly.

Harry was surprised at her boldness but he kissed her back all the same, inhaling her soft scent of vanilla, and closing his eyes to savour the moment better.

The kiss was just starting to grow more heated when a loud cry of joy from Lily broke them apart. Harry laughed, and turned his attention back to the kids, and Hermione did the same, an huge smile on both of their faces.

One would think this could be the turning point for them, but Harry was afraid to upset her again, and Hermione, although pleased that she had been let herself do what she wanted for once, returned to her usual “best friend mode”.

-----------------------------------

As January rolled to an end, Harry decided to address a matter that he felt important.

Once the kids were in bed, he walked back to the living room where Hermione was.

“Mione, I want to talk with you about something”

She saw his serious expression and got worried. “Is something wrong, Harry?”

“No” he smiled. “I just hate seeing you waste your life as an housewife. Not that we are married, of course” he rambled, “but you get my meaning”

She smiled. He was so cute when he rambled like that. “Yes, I know what you mean, Harry”

He nodded, and continued. “So, I was thinking, maybe you should go back to work. I know how independent you are so I'm sure that would make you happy, and you don't need to worry for the kids. I'll take care of them”

Hermione looked at him tenderly. “Thanks for worrying about me, Harry. Thinking of it, I was wondering the same thing some days ago. I mean, I know it's ok for you, but still we are living in your house, and spending your money…I think I should start get some money for myself”

Harry shook his head. “Money is not a problem, Hermione. I've got enough for us and the kids not ever needing to work” he said with a smile. “And you know it means nothing to me”

She nodded. “I know” she said, giving him one of her bright smiles. “It matters to me though. I feel bad depending on you like this”

“Then go back to work” he suggested.

“I think I will” she said, snuggling into him, as they were currently sitting on the couch and watching some movie.

--------------------------

Once Hermione got back to work in the Magical Law Enforcement Department, Harry found out that with two kids to care for he had his hands quite full. But he was happy to do that, and to see Hermione reward him with her usual smile every night when she got home and found out he had already made dinner for both of them and the little ones was enough of a reward for him.

However, both of them were this busy that no one noticed Valentine's Day was coming up.

Molly, though, couldn't let them pass it at home. She had started pestering them about going out and have fun, take a night for themselves, and relax, as both were growing stressed or so she said.

Harry thought she was a bit pushy on the matter, but in the end he and Hermione relented.

That night, they brought the kids to the Burrow, where they were more than happy to stay, as Molly ahd promised them they would bake chocolate chip cookies again, together.

Arthur smiled at the pair as they left, and wished them a fun night, giving them a wink.

Harry and Hermione had to laugh about that once they were on their way to the restaurant, in Diagon Alley.

“One would think they are trying to push us together” Harry mused.

“Isn't everyone trying to do that? James, Arthur, Molly, Rose…” Hermione laughed. “Maybe they see something we don't. Or better, maybe they saw it far long before we started to”

Harry nodded, leading the way to the elegant building. He had booked a table for two there, and he had to use all the power his name still held to get one. “Merlin's Haven” was an hell of a n high class restaurant.

You weren't let in without a suit for men and a dress for women, and on Valentine's it had the most of customers of all year, as the Weird Sisters always played there.

Harry had decided since they were going to have a night out, they better have a blast of one. He was dressed in a Muggle black suit, with white shirt and tie, and Hermione thought he had never looked more smashing. As for herself, she was wrapped up in a gold dress which showed a fair bit of her cleavage, and hugged her body perfectly, showing that even after giving birth to two babies, she had was in good shape. Harry could barely stop ogling at her when he saw her the first time that night.

They chose grilled vegetables and oysters as appetizers, then they ordered grilled lobsters and potatoes.

“This dinner is going to cost you a fortune, Mr. Potter” she joked.

“Only the best for you, Ms. Granger” he retorted and even through the joking tone she could see he meant what he said.

They ate chatting quietly about anything but the kids, they already had their hands full of them, thanks, and then had chocolate pie as dessert.

Finally, the Weird Sisters started playing, and a dance floor appeared in the middle of the room, which was instantly magically enlarged.

“Would you like to dance?” Harry asked her, and she nodded, taking his outstretched hand. She ahd to admit he wasn't bad at dancing as he wanted everyone to think, and for once let her thoughts drift back to the Yule Ball, so many years ago. If he ahd asked her to that Ball, things may have been completely different for them. But it was no use to dwell on what it might have been.

They had future ahead of them now, and it would be long enough to enjoy it together. After all they were still young and wizards aged slower than Muggles.

As the night ended, they walked back home, Harry keeping her close with an arm around her shoulders and her around his waist.

“Harry, thanks for the wonderful night” she said, once they were inside.

“My pleasure” he replied, kissing the top of her head. He wanted so much to kiss her but he respected the fact she still needed time. What he didn't know, though, was that she ahd finally made up her mind.

“Good night, Hermione” he said, moving toward his bedroom.

“Harry” she called. He turned, confused.

“I don't think you've properly wished me good night, you know” she said, moving closer to him, and lacing her arms around his neck.

Harry was surprised at her behaviour, but went along with it. “And what would a proper good night require, Ms. Granger?” he huskily said.

“Mmmh, I dunno” she coyly retorted. “What do you think?”

He didn't answer, just kissed her hard, sneaking his tongue in, and she moaned. As she pressed herself even more into him, her own tongue searched his, caressing, now slowly now faster, and exploring his mouth like he did in hers.

Her hands fisted his hair as the kiss grew hungrier and he caressed her back, moving then to her sides. Moving backwards, he opened his room and pulled her in, never breaking the kiss. She did not protest, and followed him to the bed, for the first time since she lived there joining him in it.

They had definitely moved one step forward in their search for the lost happiness.

-->

13. Easter Hols


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Thirteen: Easter Hols

As the red silhouette of the Hogwarts Express came into view, both Lily and Hugo ran excitedly toward it on the platform 9 ¾ . Harry and Hermione laughed softly at their youngest kids' antics, standing close to each other. Harry had his arm wrapped around her shoulders, and both of them couldn't wait to see their other children.

They had missed them, even if Hugo and Lily were enough to keep them occupied, that was sure.

The train entered the station and slowly stopped, then the doors opened to let the students leave. One after the other, Albus, James with his girlfriend Kate, and Rose reached the platform, but Harry had to pinch himself when he saw Rose hugging no one else than Scorpius Malfoy and talking quietly with him, laughing at something the Slytherin had said.

“Can you believe it? Your daughter is actually friends with Malfoy's son!” Harry said, shock still on his face. He felt also a bit queasy about the matter.

“Oh, come on, Harry. Don't pull a Ron on her now, ok?” Hermione said, remembering how the redhead had joked with their daughter about having to beat Scorpius in every test at the beginning of her first year. She had been quite upset with him although she hadn't showed it fully.

Harry looked at her, then slumped his shoulders in defeat. “If it's ok for you…I wonder how his father will take the news though”

“Oh, I don't think Draco has a choice, if he doesn't want to lose his son's affection” Hermione said. “From what Rose told me of her friend, he's very determined and doesn't back away at the first trouble”

“So you knew they were friends?” Harry asked, surprised, while the kids started coming toward them.

“I suspect there's more than friendship there, to be truthful” she replied with a smile, and Harry chuckled.

As the group reached them, Albus and Rose immediately greeted their parents hugging them, while James just nodded to them, and Kate blushed a tiny bit.

“Hi, Mr. Potter” she shyly said.

“Kate, you're going to make me feel old. Call me Harry” he warmly said, extending an hand to her, who shook it eagerly.

“Hi, Dad” James finally said, smiling, still holding his girlfriend close.

“Well, if the two of you want to give each other a proper hello, we will wait for you on the other side of the barrier, James” Harry said with a wink.

Both the teens blushed, but his oldest son nodded anyway, and so they left the pair alone. Few minutes later, when he joined them, Harry could see James had indeed given Kate a proper goodbye from the goofy grin he had plastered on his face.

Once at home, the kids settled in their rooms, then joined the adults in the kitchen. Albus was checking on Lily and Hugo, while James and Rose helped prepare the table for dinner.

The two of them exchanged a look of understanding, and both knew the moment of that talk with their parents was coming.

They would do it in the next days though, as both had agreed putting too much stress on those two as soon as they had arrived wasn't going to be good for the final result.

At the same time, Harry and Hermione exchanged looks as to decide when they should tell the kids. They had discussed the matter, and agreed that they should let James and Rose know first, and then Albus. However they reckoned there wouldn't be troubles, since some of their kids had actually tried to get them together in the first place.

Harry had roasted a chicken and then there were potatoes, salad, and treacle tart for dessert.

Hermione had to admit Harry's skills in the kitchen were extraordinary.

“Harry, I've never eaten a better roasted chicken, you know” she admitted, and everyone else agreed.

“Oh, come on, you're giving me too much credit” he said, sitting with them and smiling. “You don't want to give me an oversized ego, do you?” he teased them, and all started laughing.

“No, your ego is already big enough as it is” Hermione teased back, and Harry pretended to be mortally wound by her words.

Lily and Hugo couldn't stop laughing hysterically, Albus was pretty amused too, and Rose and James exchanged a knowing glance.

Harry's heart soared seeing all of the kids happy. They were definitely past the worst period, and while he was sure they would all always remember Ginny and Ron forever, they had moved on and were ready to live their life in happiness. Exactly what he and Hermione were trying to do with each other, too.

After dinner, Rose and Albus played a game of Exploding Snap, Lily and Hugo were messing around with some of their toys in the living room, and James was revising for the exams he would have to take in some months. He was a fifth year so he had OWLs after all.

“Studying during holidays? Who are you and what have you done with my son?” Harry joked, approaching him.

James grinned. “It's Kate who is rubbing off on me. She won't let me hear the end of it if I don't go back to school prepared, she actually threatened me she's going to not speak to me again if I don't take studies seriously”

“And we don't want that, now, do we?” Harry teased his son, who blushed and shook his head.

“Although, I threatened her of the same if she doesn't loose up a bit, and she promised me she would”

“I like this girl. She can keep you grounded and focused, but still she can let you have the fun you want. I think the two of you complete each other”

James had a remark about Harry and Hermione ready on his tongue, but decided to keep it for himself. He and Rose would talk to them soon, no need to haste things too much.

Some days passed and finally was time for the talks. Both James and Rose and Harry and Hermione decided to have a nice chat with the others that night after dinner, so the scene was a bit funny when, once the little ones were in bed, the two teens approached the adults.

“Dad, Hermione, we would like to talk to you” James aid.

“Actually we need to talk to you too, James, Rose” Hermione said, wondering what the kids would have to say them. Rose and James were no less surprised that their parents had to talk to them too.

So, they locked themselves in the kitchen, a Silencing Charm placed to not wake Lily and Hugo.

“So” Harry awkwardly started. “You might have noticed that the sleeping arrangements are changed a bit”

James raised his eyebrows at that. “What do you mean?”

“He means that now me and your dad sleep in the same room and the same bed” Hermione said. They were old enough to be blunt with them, and it was the truth. Since Valentine's night, she had moved to Harry's room and had found it was a most pleasurable way to wake up at morning, spooning with him.

It had been her suggestion to make the sleeping arrangements definitive, and he had not even tried protesting. He had instead agreed with a devilish grin and a rather passionate kiss. She still remembered perfectly what he had said.

“Does this mean I'll have all for myself and will be able to make unspeakable things to you every time I want, now?” he had teased her, while holding her close, neither wanting to get up, fearing that was just a wonderful dream.

“Harry” she warned him. “Behave. Remember that the kids live in the house too, and we don't want them finding us in compromising situations”

He had pouted and she giggled softly. “All right, all right, you'll have me all for yourself. Happy now?”

“Much” he huskily said before attacking her lips again and resuming the activities of the previous night.

She smiled softly at the memory, a certain tingling setting again in her body as she remembered exactly what they had done after that.

“Mum?” she finally heard her daughter calling her.

“Sorry, sweetheart, I was just lost in thought”

“Had to be a really pleasurable thought if you were grinning like mad, Aunt Hermione” James teased her making her blush. Rose giggled, guessing what her mother had been thinking about. She wasn't smart for nothing.

Harry cleared his throat. “Anyhow, what we are trying to tell you is that now me and Hermione are a couple, and we hope you won't be upset by this. We know it may be too soon, but…”

He was, however, stopped by his own son.

“Dad, we actually agreed to tell you two to bloody open your eyes and get together already, so it's perfectly fine with us” he said, grinning, Rose showing an equally large smile, while their parents were surprised, to say the least.

“Only, try to keep your night activities silent, ok? We would like to sleep and rest before the last part of the school year” he teased them, then he and Rose left with a wink, leaving two speechless adults behind.

After a moment or two, Harry chuckled. “Those two are something else”

“They really are” Hermione agreed. “Well, if they are ok with it, there's nothing to worry about”

“What are you implying, Ms. Granger?” Harry said, standing up and going to hug her.

“Something that requires a bed and a foolproof silencing Charm” she coyly said before claiming his lips.

“I like how your mind works” he growled before carrying her to their room, locking it and placing several Silencing Charms, just to be sure.

----------------

It was just few days before their return to Hogwarts, and Rose missed Scorpius terribly. She was just thinking about him, barely able to concentrate on the Potions essay she was writing, when a brown owl tapped her window.

She let the bird in, and untied the roll of parchment from its leg. As she opened it, the owl waited on her desk.

“You need a reply?” she asked, and the bird hooted.

“Ok, let's see who is writing”

Dear Rose,

My father is definitely a jerk. I knew that already but now I have proof.

He saw us talking at King's Cross and he got mad at me for befriending you. I knew he would, but I don't care.

He's told me to not talk to you again, but I spat him back if he doesn't let me live my own life how I want it, I was out of here. I sincerely hope it won't come to that, I love both him and my mum, as jerks as they can be at times, especially him, but if he puts me in the position to choose between them and you, it will be you.

I don't want to lose you, Rose.

You've become important to me, and I like to think I'm important to you too. I won't let my father break what we have managed to build in these months.

Your Friend,

Scorpius

Rose was shocked. Turning the parchment she scribbled her answer in her usual neat writing.

Dear Scorpius,

I value our friendship lots, but I'm not sure you should leave your family for it. I want you to be happy and if you leave your family I fear you won't be. I don't want to be the cause of a rift between you and your parents, so maybe it's better to follow what they say.

Your friend forever,

Rose

As she rolled it up, a tear fell on the parchment, staining the paper. She hastily tied it to the leg of the owl and let it fly away, her own heart flying away with it.

-->

14. Tension


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Fourteen: Tension

After receiving Rose's reply, Scorpius Malfoy was crushed. He barely left his room the few days before going back to school.

He couldn't believe she would so easily let go of their friendship. Probably she never really felt him as a friend, or something more like he did for her.

“No, this can't be” he reasoned, closing his trunk just before leaving. “I know what we shared, and I know for sure she at least felt friendship for me. She's just willing to let it go because she thinks I wouldn't be happy without my family” he told himself.

Yes, she was the kind of girl to be so thoughtful of others to put their well-being before her own. He had learned that.

As he went to platform 9 ¾ with his parents, he smiled sadly. If only she knew how happier he would be with her…

Once there, he never even searched for her. There would be time to talk, and clear things. Doing that in front of his parents would lead to no good.

Draco was proud of his son for not searching that Weasley girl. Maybe he had got through him, for once. At least, he hoped. He knew Scorpius wouldn't think twice about acting on his menace of leaving the family, if he decided so.

Sighing, the blonde man went back to Malfoy Manor.

As for Rose, she wasn't better than Scorpius. Hermione was worried about her, she didn't want to tell her mother what was troubling her. No one had been able to bring it out of her, she only reassured the two adults that it wasn't because of the two of them being together now, it was the thing that made her happy instead, or so she said.

Not even Kate, on the train, could get her to talk about it, and James was worried for his cousin. He had the feeling Scorpius Malfoy was behind it, and he would confront the boy once at the castle. If he had hurt her, he better be prepared for retaliation. He wasn't the grandson of James Potter, nor he was the nephew of George Weasley, for nothing.

After the feast, Scorpius found himself pinned to the wall by someone. Turning, he saw no one else than an enraged James Potter glaring at him.

“What did you do to her, Malfoy?”

“To who?” the blonde spat back.

“To Rose, who else! She's not herself anymore lately, she's always sad and won't tell anyone of us what's the problem. But I just know it's been you who made her this way”

Scorpius felt tears pricking at his eyes. He hadn't meant to make her sad or hurt her, he just thought wise to let her know what his father thought of the two of them being friends.

James was shocked to see the boy's reaction at his explanation.

“It's my fault” the Slytherin muttered. “I wrote her my father doesn't like us being friends, I wrote her I was ready to escape to not lose her friendship but she wrote me back it was better to call it off, because I wouldn't be happy if I left my family. If I knew she would hurt so much I wouldn't have said a thing to her and kept going on like everything was fine!”

James was taken aback. Yes, this was something Rose would do. When the Slytherin showed him the letter, he had to believe it for sure.

Scratching his neck, he made his apologies to the other boy.

“It's nothing. I would have reacted the same way” Scorpius shrugged. “Just, can you talk about me with her? Tell her I miss her company and would like for us to still be friends?”

“I don't know, Scorpius” James said, surprising them both. It was the first time he called him by his first name. “She storms away as soon as someone brings up your name these days. But I'll try”

The two smiled at each other, and shook their hands.

As the younger boy headed to his common room, James stood there, wondering how could he help those two find each other again. He wasn't a genius when it came to relationships but he was certain they fancied each other, and it wasn't right to have them kept apart for a stupid reason like that.

“I guess I'll have to ask Kate for help here” he said walking up the stairs of Gryffindor Tower, passing an hand through his hair.

Once Rose had gone to bed, he reunited Rob, Albus and Kate and explained them the situation. Then he asked them for suggestions on how to help them.

“There's little we can do” Kate reasoned. “Rose is a smart girl and will know if we try to manipulate her into talking to him, and that might endanger our own relationships with her, which is what we definitely need to avoid because she needs us all more than ever now”

James was frustrated. As usual she had been right but this left them with the problem. “So we do nothing?” he growled in annoyance.

“I fear it's the only right thing to do” she apologetically said. She knew how protective of his little cousin he was and that he wanted nothing more than to help her now.

“We can just hope Scorpius finds a way to talk to her on his own” Rob concluded. Everyone nodded, albeit James was far from happy with the result of their “meeting”.

Days passed and Rose, smart as she was, managed to avoid Scorpius perfectly. That frustrated him to no end, and made him much more easy target for his fellow Slytherins' mean remarks, which more than once almost drove him to do something he would regret, like attacking them.

He felt powerless seeing the girl he fancied, and maybe more, grow more and more distant from him.

The boy had tried every approach he could think of, but she was always one step ahead. At breakfast she always sat facing the Slytherin table so she could see if he moved toward her and leave before he managed to reach her. In the library she always put herself in tables where she could see who was coming, so that she could hide if he was nearby, and in class she always sat on the other side of the room.

Albus tried leaving her alone in the corridors at times but she would not have it, and the only time he managed, Scorpius was too late and she started chatting with that Hufflepuff that had invited her to the Ball, Stephan Hoggler.

He barely had the time to hear her agreeing to go with him to the next Hogsmeade weekend before she entered the classroom.

The boy slumped his shoulders in defeat. She was truly doing her best to move on, and maybe he should too.

James kept encouraging him, though, and Scorpius decided he was right. He couldn't simply give up. A Malfoy never gave up so easily.

As for Rose, she was trying to get Scorpius out of her head. Really, she was trying. But he was still there. Every time she saw him her heart skipped a beat and she had to fight the urge to go and hug him and never let go. But she was doing it for his sake, after all.

She repeated that to herself like a mantra, and even if she was tearing her own heart apart she felt she was doing the right thing. She could go on, she could move on, but she could not tear a family apart to follow her heart's desire.

She would not be the cause of Scorpius being deprived of the love of his parents, not at such a young age.

So, she changed herself for bed, took her book and started reading, before stopping to look at the spot on her bedside where the picture of the two of them had been. She had left it at home before coming back to not be tempted to put it back in its place.

As she did, the emptiness for having lost her only true friend, and maybe more, filled her again, and she let the tears flow, sobbing quietly into her pillow, and crying herself to sleep, the book forgotten on the floor where it had fallen when she had hastily turned to muffle her sobs with the pillow.

------------------------------------------------

The school year was nearing its end and Rose was still avoiding Scorpius. They were now just two weeks before the fifth years would take their OWLs, and James was torn between studying with his girlfriend, having quality time with that same brunette, which he enjoyed much more than the studying, and which she always promised him as a reward after his efforts, and wanting to help Scorpius and Rose.

“I think I should just give up” the blonde said. “She's clearly not going to talk to me again”

“Don't. I have an idea, and if I can get my hands on a certain object, I'm sure this time you won't fail” James said, smugly.

“What are you talking about?” Scorpius asked, bewildered.

“That is for me to know and for you to find out. Meet me in the Room of Requirements, on the seventh floor, in four days time, after dinner” the Gryffindor fifth year replied, then walked away.

He hoped his father would borrow him what he had asked.

Four days later, Scorpius entered a room on the seventh floor he had never noticed being there. Shrugging he pushed the door open and inside he found James with a silvery thing in his lap, grinning at him.

“Scorpius, you're going to talk with Rose soon” he announced.

“What's that?” the blonde asked.

“This is my Dad's Invisibility Cloak” James explained, showing how it worked to the other boy.

“So you suggest I sneak on her?” the Slytherin answered, not convinced. She would surely hate him even more for that.

“It's the only way. She won't expect you to, and you'll be able to talk to Rose and convince her to talk to you again. Or at least, you'll be able to try” James said, giving the other boy one of his grins.

“Oh, well, it can't be worse than how it is now, so…” Scorpius said, taking the cloak.

“Perfect. I'll now give Albus a new sweet from my uncle George's shop and instruct him to eat it tomorrow morning at breakfast. He'll have to go to the Hospital Wing, and I'll casually be there to accompany him, leaving Rose alone in the corridors. That will be your cue. You'll need to be under the cloak all the time so she can't spot you from a distance, and possibly be ahead of her, too. It will make it easier”

Scorpius nodded at the instructions, they went over them a couple more times then they left, every one his own way.

“Hey, Potter” Scorpius suddenly called.

“What's up, Malfoy?”

“Thanks” he sincerely said. James nodded with a grin and vanished on the stairs to the Gryffindor common room.

The next morning, everything went as planned.

Albus got sick after eating that sweet, James was there to accompany him to be checked by Pomfrey, and he sternly opposed to Rose coming too. She was puzzled, but went to her first lesson, Transfiguration, alone.

Scorpius was already at the end of the stairs, and when she passed by him, he grabbed her wrist, pulling the cloak off of him. Her first instinct was to hex whoever had grabbed her, and so she did.

“Petrificus Totalus!” she cried, and the jet of light barely missed Scorpius who had had the reflexes to move his head.

“Whoa, Weasley!” he cried, surprised. He and James hadn't expected that.

She realized who had grabbed her and what he had in his hand, and narrowed her eyes at him, getting angry at her cousins too. She would recognize her uncle's Invisibility Cloak everywhere.

“Get your hands off of me, Malfoy,” she snarled, “if you don't want to be truly hexed this time”

“Rose, just let me talk” he pleaded, not releasing her wrist. She could see in his grey eyes he was miserable, and her heart broke at that.

But she couldn't let her weakness lead him to sorrow for leaving his family. She knew the Malfoys well enough to know it would be hell for him if he stayed there being her friend, and knew him well enough to know he wouldn't hesitate to leave.

“I warned you” she angrily spat. “Petrificus…” but she never finished spelling the charm.

She found herself pinned to the wall, Scorpius kissing her, finally releasing her wrist. She could have pushed him away if she wanted, but her arms laced around his neck, returning his kiss.

It grew deeper when he ran his tongue on her lips, and she let him in, meeting his tongue with her own, and moaning softly.

As they broke apart, she had a dazed look in her eyes, and he did too. He softly rested his forehead on hers.

“I think I love you, Rose Weasley, and I can't go on without you” he said. “Please, don't push me away”

“What about your family?” she whispered, searching his eyes for her answer.

“I don't care” he said. “They will be my family forever but if they can't accept my choices then we are better on separate ways” he added then, and she could see he meant every word he said.

“You're a great wizard, Scorpius Malfoy” she said before kissing him again.

-->

15. Normal Life


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This chapter is a bit of a filler, apart for the last part. I hope you won't be too upset for the little cliffie…

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Fifteen: Normal Life

Once the three children had left for Hogwarts again, Harry and Hermione fell into a routine, dealing with their newly found love for each other, caring about the kids, and Hermione going back to work.

She had been given the same spot she had held before, Minister Shacklebolt knew she would start working again soon or later and found it unfair for her to have to start her career again, so her position had been filled “at interim” by a colleague. Actually, the girl who was Hermione's direct inferior in the ranks.

So, Harry and Hermione had gotten used to wake up together, usually snuggling, which both found highly pleasurable. Then they would wish each other good morning with a kiss, which at times could be rather passionate, and more than once they had to suddenly stop because of Lily and/or Hugo coming into their room.

This reduced their morning “rendezvous” to a minimum, just when the two little ones were at the Burrow, where Molly was never tired to have them, which usually happened every Saturday night, so that Harry and Hermione could have some time for themselves to relax. They would join their children at the Burrow at Sunday for lunch before bringing them back home.

Then they would get up and prepare breakfast for them all, Lily sometimes helping with the easiest things like placing cups on the table. Hugo was normally more of a late person so he rarely was up with them, he would come down a bit later.

After they all ate together, eggs, bacon, and pancakes for the adults, mostly biscuits, milk and jam for the children, Harry would care after them while Hermione would go have a shower, dress and then head to the Ministry.

Here she would go up to the Magical Law Enforcement Department, walk down the corridor to her office, and greet the girl who worked with her before starting to go through the files on her table. They had become friends in the years and she had been more than happy to give back to Hermione the position.

“I felt a bit uneasy having to fill for you, actually” Christine had said. “I don't think I have the needed charisma to deal with trials like you do”

“Oh, come on, you're a very talented witch. I was scared of hearings too at first, but with time you learn to be adequately aggressive and such” Hermione smiled, sipping the cup of coffee the other girl had just brought her.

“Since we have dealt with this big case now, I was thinking me and you could go grab a bite outside the Ministry today, relax a bit, maybe have some window shopping” she suggested then. “I mean, I guess we deserve a little break, we worked hard on this trial for a month…”

“I'd like that” the other girl replied. “Maybe we can have a look into Muggle London, I've heard they have these wonderful dresses”

Hermione laughed. Her friend was pureblood but had definitely a knack for Muggle clothes.

Then, when Hermione got back home, she would find Harry in the kitchen preparing dinner, and the kids usually watching TV. Hugo was at times outside in the backyard flying on his toy broom Harry ahd gifted him at his birthday, since the weather was getting better and warmer.

The thing couldn't go fast nor too high and the backyard was easy to control from the kitchen so Harry could easily look after him from there.

He had learned all of her favourites and he often made them, getting better at it every time as he had a book about wizarding recipes Molly had gifted them, and one about Muggle ones he had found some weeks ago in a market in Muggle London, where he liked to go now and then with the kids, to let them know that other world too, or at least a bit.

That night wasn't an exception.

“You like what you see?” he teased her when he noticed her leaning on the doorframe, watching him with a smile.

She walked toward him till she was inches from his face. “Very” she said huskily, licking her lips just a bit.

He watched her mesmerized, it was strange to think she held so much power over him. Ginny had never been able to get him this aroused with such a simple gesture.

Not caring what the kids would say, he pulled her at him and kissed her hard, to which she replied in the same fashion, burying one hand in his hair, caressing it, and stopping at the nape of his neck, pushing his head even more toward hers, while he was exploring her sides with his own hands.

They were so wrapped up in their heated kiss, tongues swirling around each other in a frenzied rhythm, that they never noticed Hugo coming in from the backyard with his toy broom in his hand.

“Eww” the kid protested, at which the two adults moved apart, blushing furiously, then they laughed softly.

“You'll find it isn't so bad in few years time, you little rascal” Harry said, mussing his dark red hair.

“Never” was the boy's reply while he snuck a biscuit in his mouth, and ran away before his mother could take it away from him.

Harry chuckled. “He sure enough has Ron's appetite” he commented, while checking on the soup on the stove.

“That's obvious” Hermione said with a smile, taking out plates. It was good being able to talk about Ron and Ginny without much hurt now. Yes, at times they both would have memories that made them sad, but they had each other now and it was enough to go on. Hermione more than once wondered if this was meant to be from the beginning, and if they hadn't made the wrong choices so many years ago.

She had been happy with Ron, but with Harry it was different. She felt she could completely be herself, not caring if they had different opinions because it wouldn't turn in a shouting match if not in rare cases, and over something really important. She felt she was more relaxed now.

As for Harry, apart not being able to keep his hands off of her, which lately wasn't the case with Ginny, and had never truly been this intense even in the beginning, he knew no on else knew him better than Hermione, even if they had been married to other people for twenty years. He knew he wouldn't need to explain everything, because she could see many things for herself, just looking at him, and he could discuss work at home, something Ginny had always thought off limits.

He felt more complete, and as bad as it may have sounded in regard to his deceased wife, he knew it was the truth.

Then, after dinner, they would relax on the couch, chatting, or reading, or watching TV. At times Hermione might have to work a bit at home, but it wasn't something usual, and they both preferred to pass time with their children if they could, so Harry had started playing wizarding chess with Hugo.

“You know, I think he inherited Ron's skills with the game” he huffed when the kid managed to defeat him for the fifth time in a row. Hermione laughed softly looking tenderly at both of them. Lily had by now accepted her as her new Mum, if one can put it this way, and Hugo loved Harry as his own father.

So, their life together was almost perfect. Almost.

There was just one thing that troubled them, and it was Rose. She had been sad before leaving, and no one knew why. Hermione was sincerely worried, but her daughter wouldn't talk to her about it, not even in the letters she sent home every week.

So, it was to her utter surprise when Harry greeted her home one night with a bright smile, a piece of parchment in hi hands.

“I know what Rose's problem is” he said, showing her the letter James had sent him. Hermione greedily read it, and then sighed in relief. It was just boy problems, although it seemed serious.

“Draco is the usual git” she muttered, and had an half idea to go speak her mind to him, but Harry stopped her.

“Don't. They can deal with it on their own, plus I've already sent James my Cloak to help Scorpius talk with Rose, since it seems she has managed to avoid him so far”

“She will be upset if he sneaks on her, Harry” Hermione countered.

“I know it's a risk but it's the only way they have left” he commented, serious. Hermione nodded, just wishing her daughter had talked to her about that.

“I know what you think and it's not your fault” he said. “You're a great mum, but there are things the kids are going to keep from you now and then and I don't delude myself thinking I will always know anything going on with Albus and James, and especially with Lily once she gets older and will have this kind of troubles”

Hermione smiled, nodding. “I know, I just wish I could do something to ease her pain” she sighed.

---------------------

Harry was pleased with himself. He had just had a nice chat with Molly and Arthur, as he was worried about their reaction to something he wanted to do.

They had, instead, been more than understanding and even encouraged him to do that, telling him he should not waste time, because it was of course the best thing for all of them.

On the way back home, where Teddy was babysitting the children for the afternoon, he stopped at Diagon Alley for some shopping, and after an hour or so he found exactly what he was searching.

It was time to relieve his godson from his duty of dealing with two kids.

“Hi, Teddy, I'm home” he called out once there.

“Hi, Harry” the young man replied from the living room where he was on the floor playing with Hugo, while Lily was going through the figures of a fairy tale book on the couch.

“Did these two give you an hard time?”

“Not at all, they were good all afternoon” Teddy said with a smile.

They wished each other a good evening, and then Harry set to prepare dinner. “What would you like tonight?”

“Pizza!” both of the kids cried, and Harry grinned. “Pizza it is, then” he nodded, and started working on it. He had found he liked it quite much so it was more than ok with him.

Some days later, Harry had organised everything for his plan. He had left the kids at the Burrow, and had got the encouragement of his in-laws, before heading back home. He had set a romantic scenery for him and Hermione, with a candlelit table, a bottle of Champagne that he had enchanted to stay cool, soft music playing, and all of her favourite dishes.

Harry was nervous and kept checking his appearance in the mirror.

“You should stop try and flatten your hair, it's not going to work” it said to him, and Harry just glared at the thing, walking away, waiting anxiously for the moment Hermione would come home.

Finally, he heard the front door click open, and walked to greet her.

She was surprised, and wondered what was going on.

“I just thought we might enjoy a night for ourselves during the week too” he said, reading her mind.

“So the kids are at the Burrow?” she guessed, and he nodded.

“Thanks, Harry. This was really a nice thought” she appreciated, sitting at her place and pouring some wine in her glass.

They chatted quietly through their meal, laughing now and then if one of the two joked or teased the other. Both enjoyed the night immensely and Harry was glad everything was going fine so far.

Once they finished their dessert, he had made a chocolate cake, he moved from his chair, walked in front of her, and there he looked in her eyes. She was puzzled at his behaviour, he could see it in her eyes, and he had to restrain himself from chuckling.

Then he got on one knee, and pulling out a small box that he opened in front of her, he spoke, his own voice cracking more than he cared for.

“Hermione, will you marry me?”

-->

16. Surprises


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Sixteen: Surprises

The school year was by now behind them. James, Kate, Rob, Albus, Rose and Scorpius all occupied a compartment on the red train speeding through the countryside. The three fifth years had taken their OWLs, now they just had to wait the results that would arrive in the late summer.

James was pretty satisfied with himself, Kate was a bit worried but he just knew she had done well, she was the best out of the three of them so she couldn't fail, and Rob, well, Rob was happy with himself too. Not that he cared much for grades and schoolwork, anyhow, which frustrated Kate to no end.

The three younger kids instead still didn't have the worries of exams and it would take them two years before they would know it, so they were pretty relaxed.

Rose and Scorpius were enjoying their newly found relationship, snuggling on the seats of the train and grinning. Albus had never seen his cousin this happy and hoped next year he could find himself a girlfriend too.

Once they arrived, Harry and Hermione were happy to see Scorpius and Rose walking together on the platform, albeit a bit surprised, since they were sceptical about their chances to find each other, and they were also worried at Draco's reaction. The blonde, however, knew he shouldn't put a show there, so he simply waited for his son to leave her side with a scowl on his face.

“So, I see you two straightened out your troubles” Harry joked with her, and Rose grinned at him, nodding.

“Although, I should be angry at you, Uncle Harry. You shouldn't have helped James and Scorpius giving them your cloak” the girl pouted.

“Oh, come on, all worked out for the best” James said, coming right behind her. “You can't believe the hard time she gave me and Albus for planning all of that” he said his father, who laughed. Hermione smiled too.

“It's not funny” Rose said, and she wanted to add something else but she caught sight of something sparkly on her mother's hand.

She wondered if that could be what she thought.

“I'll have to ask her later” she mused.

However, there was no need for that. At dinner, Harry suddenly stood up asking for attention.

“I would like to let you know something that has happened while you were away” he started. “Me and Hermione are getting married” he said then, grinning, and loud cheers erupted by all their children.

Hermione smiled, remembering how that night had gone.

“Hermione, will you marry me?” Harry had asked.

She was speechless, and couldn't stop looking at the ring he was holding out to her. It was a white gold band, with a diamond in the middle. Simple, but beautiful. She had never been one for excessive jewellery and Harry knew that, and chose the ring best suited to her.

She looked at him and could read the anxiety on his face, she had been taking her time to answer his question, but she couldn't help it, her throat was suddenly closed and she couldn't utter a single word.

She still believed it to be some kind of dream, and yet it was so real.

Finally, when he had started making apologies for asking her, that maybe it was too soon, that he understood if she didn't want to, she had to reply in the only way she was able to at the moment.

She flung herself at him, who easily caught her in his arms, albeit surprised, and kissed him with a passion she had never thought possible. The ring was still in his hand, in the velvety box, and he held her close with a single arm, kissing her back with the same eagerness.

Finally they broke apart, breathing heavily, a glazed look in both their eyes.

“I take that as a yes” he had joked, and she grinned.

“Yes, Harry, I'll marry you” she confirmed.

“Then, Mrs. Potter-to-be, this belongs to you” he joked, sliding the ring on her finger. She looked at it once more, and smiled fondly, snuggling near Harry.

“Take me to bed, Harry” she had said, and who was he to protest?

So they ended in their room and had the best sex they could remember in a long time.

She was brought back to reality by James asking her if she had enjoyed what had come next to the proposing. That made her blush scarlet red and earned the teenager a scolding from his father.

“We're going to be a big family then” Albus commented with a smile. Rose nodded, her eyes shining with tears of joy. She hoped she could have something like that one day, and even if they had just started going out, she hoped Scorpius could be the one she would have that with.

------------------

One week later, they all left for the seaside. They always spent summer holidays in the beach cottage the two families had together near Dover.

As soon as they arrived they all went to unpack in their usual rooms, and then James involved himself in writing a letter to his girlfriend. He already missed her lots, and would like nothing more than inviting her there. However, he didn't want to seem too pushy, so for now he didn't do it.

As for Rose, she wanted to write to Scorpius but she knew it would already be hell for him at home, writing to him would just add to that so she restrained herself from doing it.

Albus had no worries of this kind although he had gotten quite friendly with that pretty redhead in Ravenclaw, Julie Fanhorn. Maybe he would write her later in the holiday.

For now, he just changed into his swimsuit and went on the beach, joining his parents (he felt it was right to call them both that since they were getting married anyhow), Lily and Hugo.

He had to make the most of the two weeks they would be there, he loved the sea and this year their time there was cut short since there was a wedding to plan.

Some time later, Rose and James joined them too.

She was pretty content with her figure, she had improved lots in the last year and now and then she would catch random boys glance at her. While she was more than devoted to Scorpius and would never cheat on him, she still found being looked at by guys a bit flattering.

Hermione was glad her daughter was enjoying herself. As she was looking her way, she never noticed Harry approaching her from behind.

He picked her up, causing her to yelp in surprise, then he carried her into the water.

“Harry James Potter” she warned him, but he gave her his most innocent look, and then dropped her into the sea, laughing like mad at her face when she emerged from the water, her hair plastered to her face.

“It's not funny” she said, but an hint of a smile could be found on her lips too. Then her eyes got a glint that Harry recognized and knew he was in trouble.

In fact, just a moment later he found himself pinned to the sandy seabed, Hermione on top of him. As he pushed his head out of the water and sputtered, regaining his breath, she whispered into his ear.

“Retaliation can be fun, you know”

Harry smirked. “So this is how you like to play, uh? Fine” and he started tickling her sides making her squirm and giggle. She pulled him down with her, and he took the chance to kiss her and she kissed him back, lying there, in the water, oblivious to anything else going on around them.

James was on the beach, Rose sitting near him, and keeping an eye on the little ones.

“Look at them! One would think they are teenagers, instead of adults with kids” he commented, shaking his head in fake shock.

“They are in love” Rose smartly retorted, a smile on her lips. “And they have always been, I reckon, even if they just lately admitted it”

James couldn't help but agree. He was glad they were getting married in two months, then they would officially be a family and everything would be ok.

--------------------------------

It was their last night there at Dover, and the weather had turned for the worse in the last two days. Rain was pouring incessantly, outside.

Suddenly, while everyone was in the living room, passing time as they could, an owl tapped on the window. Rose went to take it as she recognized it as Scorpius' owl, and she barely managed to read the few words scribbled there, I'm coming, before they heard a banging on the front door.

She ran to open, her family following her, and as she did, she found herself facing a drenched Scorpius Malfoy.

“Scorpius!” she cried, running to hug him, and wetting her clothes, but she didn't care. Harry quickly performed a drying charm on both of them, then invited him in.

“You escaped” Rose said, comprehension dawning on her.

Scorpius nodded, sipping on the hot tea Hermione had hastily prepared for him.

“I had to. It was unbearable, my father actually locked me into my room. I would have come sooner, I told him I would if he didn't let me live my life, but I had to figure out a way to leave the house. He tried his best to keep me there, locking me in my room, and instructing the house elf to keep me there no matter what”

“How did you escape?” she asked, and everyone wanted to know the same thing.

“Well, I had my fair bit of work to do. First of all, I had to locate my father's bottles of Firewhiskey, and convincing the elf to let me leave my room as long as I stayed in the house wasn't easy too. But in the end I managed, promising I would not leave, and telling him I felt sick staying all holidays into my room.

I managed to sneak one bottle away and then I had to plan a way to make the elf drink it. You all know the Elves get drunk even with Butterbeer so having him get drunk with Firewhiskey would be easier, if only I could get him to drink that”

Hermione scrunched her face in disgust at the idea of manipulating an Elf that way, but she knew hard times asked for hard measures.

Harry caught her expression and smiled at her, as to say he understood what she was thinking.

“So, I studied his habits for days, and tonight, while my parents were away for dinner, I managed to pour some of the liquid on the Elf's food, he always eats before us, so he was drunk when he came to bring me my dinner in my room. He forgot the door open, so I shrunk my trunk and put it in my pocket, and flew away to your house” he continued his story.

“Once there, though, I saw nobody was home, so I scribbled that note and had my owl, Francis, bring it to you. I followed him, and here I am”

Harry was reminded of Sirius telling him he had left his home at sixteen to go to the Potters, Scorpius here left even younger, he was just fourteen now. He must care a whole lot for Rose to do something like that.

“Well, Scorpius, now that you are here, we would like you to stay, although we are returning back home tomorrow. If you like, you could live with us” Harry offered.

“Oh, I don't want to impose, sir” Scorpius started but Rose interrupted him.

“You're not imposing. You're staying with us, that's final” she said, and Harry was reminded of a young Hermione. Pulling his wife-to-be close, he whispered just that to her an she smiled.

So, once Scorpius' sleeping arrangements were settled, for the night but also for when they would go back home, they resumed their previous activities, although Rose was now all taken by her own boyfriend. They sat in a corner of the living room, chatting, and everyone could see how much they cared for each other.

“It must have been terrible” she said him, listening to more details about his summer.

“It was worth it, if it means I can stay with you” he sincerely said, taking her hand. She blushed a bit at the gesture and at the intense gaze he was giving her, but nodded.

“I'm glad you think so” she whispered almost too lightly to be heard, but he did, and gently moved her chin so that their eyes could meet.

“Rose, you're the best thing happened to me so far, and I'm not giving up on you for any reason” he said, before kissing her. She laced her arms around his neck and kissed him back, both forgetting they had an audience.

“Hey, you two, get a room!” James teased them while Hermione and Harry looked at the young pair tenderly.

Both of them blushed madly and sprung apart, but both had goofy grins on their faces.

As he pulled her close on the couch, Scorpius thought that maybe things would go well for all of them now.

-->

17. The Wedding


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…the song is form Elton John from “The Lion King” soundtrack. Childish, I know, but I love it, lol.

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Seventeen: The Wedding

It was one month before the wedding now, and Harry was reminded of what it had been the first time with Ginny. She would never let him rest, she was crazy with preparations, and Molly didn't help, adding her own anxiety to the mix.

He had hoped he would never have to go through that another time, but now it was that all over again.

Their house was swamped with bridal magazines, and both Molly and Hermione's mother were doing their best to have the perfect ceremony. Only, if having Ginny and Molly discuss things had been bad, now it was Molly, Hermione and her mother, so the chaos was even higher. Add to it that Rose often joined them, and the picture was complete.

Lily and Hugo were excited to have Molly there constantly but Harry could tell James, Albus and Scorpius could easily make it without all of that.

“Hey, you three” he called to them. “Why don't we go have fun somewhere else? We are clearly not needed here and we could have a two vs. two Quidditch game in the backyard” he suggested.

The three boys looked at each other and grinned. “Great idea, Dad” James said, clapping him on his back and going to retrieve his broom, while Albus and Scorpius did the same.

The four of them had a blast that afternoon, but saying that Hermione wasn't so happy at them leaving was an understatement.

That day at dinner she didn't say a single word to Harry, and for the first time since they were together he was sent to spend the night on the couch.

He sighed, as he adjusted himself there. “So much for trying to let the kids have fun” he thought before falling asleep.

He however learned his lesson and never left the “meetings” again, giving his input when he was asked, which was more or less once in a whole day. He was ok with it, what mattered to him was that he and Hermione were getting married and the details were just that, details, but not for the four women in his living room.

They were continuously discussing if Hermione should wear a veil or not, which colour the bridesmaids should have their dresses, which kind of decoration the Hogwarts grounds would have (yes, the pair had decided to get married there, as the school was where they got to know each other so well and where they had lived many of their adventures), what to have for the buffet, and such.

As another headache hit him, Harry just had to get some fresh air. Rose saw that and pitied him, she seemed the only one of those four knowing how pointless all of that was for him, but she loved joining those meetings all the same. They made her feel more girly, and it was a pleasurable feeling.

Some days later, Hermione finally asked Harry for help, thus actually involving him in the preparations instead of uselessly keeping him there to just watch at them.

“We need to write the invitations and we need to choose groomsmen and bridesmaids” she said to him that night after dinner.

“Ok, so, you want a little ceremony or something big?” he asked, sipping his Butterbeer.

“I'd prefer something little, with just our kids, closest friends and families” she admitted, taking a piece of parchment and a quill.

“Well, then who qualifies for closest friends? I'd say Neville and Luna, for sure. Maybe Seamus, Dean and Lav?”

Hermione thought about it. “Well, I guess they were in our same year at Hogwarts, so yes, I think we should invite them. And Parvati too, don't forget her or she will throw a tantrum” she added, rolling her eyes.

Harry laughed. “Right. Then of course we are inviting the Weasleys, they are more or less family after all. You might want to invite Krum too”

“Of course” Hermione smiled, scribbling the names down.

“I guess the list of the guests is done, then. As for groomsmen and bridesmaids…I'd say Teddy as best man, Neville and George as groomsmen. And James too, let's give him some responsibility for once, although I'm quite conflicted about choosing him or Bill” he said with a smile.

Hermione thought about it. “Maybe it's better to have Bill. I mean, it's a bit unusual to have the groom's son as a groomsman” she reasoned.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, I guess you're right. What about you?”

“Well, I'd say Luna as my maid of honour, then Fleur, Lav and Parvati as bridesmaids, although I might consider Kate as one too”

“I honestly prefer Kate instead of Parvati” Harry commented. Hermione nodded her agreement, scribbling the names down.

“Ok, let's write these invitations then, shall we?” she concluded.

In a few minutes, the parchments were ready, there was the normal invitation, and the request for those who were chosen as wedding party to let them know if they were up to it or not.

They sent them away with Harry's new owl, Hedwig II, which was as snowy as the first, and which hooted quite angrily at the stack of letters she had to deliver.

“Sorry girl, it's important” Harry apologized to her giving her some extra treats before the trip.

One week later, they organised a trip to Madame Malkin's to choose the robes they would all wear that day. The bridesmaids, after a tiring session of trying everything the shop had to offer, settled for matching peach-coloured dress robes, and Harry had to literally stop his son from drooling over Kate.

She blushed at the attention, pleased that she could affect him this much.

The bride's dress was kept secret from Harry but everyone assured him she was breathtaking in it, and he trusted their opinion. After all, to him Hermione was breathtaking in anything she wore, so…

Harry himself however didn't look so bad in his grey ceremony dress robe, as Luna innocently pointed out he was “absolutely fanciable”, which made everyone chuckle, and Harry blush scarlet red.

Few days before the actual wedding there was a general practice, let's call it this way, as Harry, Hermione and their parties went to Hogwarts, still empty of course, and rehearsed the things they would have to do, where would they have to stay, and such.

Scorpius and Rose took the chance at being alone to spend some quality time together, still keeping an eye on Lily and Hugo.

James had gone with the adults as Kate was part of the wedding party and he wanted to be with her and Albus was in his room, so they were free to snuggle and watch a Muggle romantic comedy in the living room.

Not that they saw too much of it anyhow, as they were more interested in each other.

“I still can't believe you're really here” she said, looking up at him tenderly.

“I can't believe it too, at times, but it's true” he replied. “And there is nowhere else I'd like more to be right now” he said, pulling her for a kiss that she replied to quite eagerly. She actually moved on his lap and buried her hands in his hair, one moving to the nape of his neck as he caressed her sides and back.

They were so involved in each other that the loud crack of Apparating startled them, making them jump apart. Harry and the others had come back sidelong Apparating James and Kate.

When Harry stepped into the living room, the movie was just ending and he looked at the two teens, who were quite dishevelled.

“What movie did you watch?” he asked, casually.

“Love Actually” Scorpius said, at the same time Rose answered too, “There's something about Mary”.

Harry chuckled, shaking his head and walking into the kitchen to grab something to eat, while the teens blushed realizing they had been easily discovered.

----------

Finally the day of the wedding arrived. Harry was a nervous wreck, waiting for his bride in front of the altar placed on the Hogwarts grounds.

The day was sunny, and there was no threat of rain, luckily.

As he saw his godfather so tense, Teddy approached him. “Come on, Harry, there's nothing to be worried about” he said, trying to ease the other man's anxiety.

“You say that because it's not you here now. Let's see how you fare in a couple months” Harry retorted, referring to the upcoming wedding between Teddy and Victoire.

“Point taken” the young man laughed. “But really, she loves you, and she's going to be here at your side in minutes. There's nothing to worry about”

Harry nodded, still not completely convinced. However, every fear he might have had vanished the moment the wedding march started playing and she appeared, walking down the aisle with her father on her arm.

She smiled at him, in the end they ahd decided for not using a veil, so he could see her face clearly now. They ahd been right, she was utterly stunning in her simple white dress, which clung to her well, but not too much as to result too sexy. There were two lines of little sparkling diamonds on either side of her dress, and a single white rose was pinned in her hair, giving her an even more angelic glow.

As she reached him at the altar, the ceremony started.

“We are here today to unite in marriage Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger. Who gives this witch away?” the officer asked.

“I, her father, do” Mr. Granger said, his voice cracking. It was the second time but it was not better than the first, he would never get used to it even if he had to do it thousand times.

Then he moved to join her mother in the first row of the audience.

As the ceremony progressed, the moment came of exchanging their vows.

“Hermione,” Harry started, emotion clear on his face, “we have known each other since we were eleven, and we worked out a wonderful friendship through many perils and difficulties. With time this friendship blossomed into love, I can't really tell you when it happened, but I know now that I love you more than myself, and will always do what I can to keep you happy. I love you, Hermione”

“Harry,” she replied, her own voice cracking a bit. “You're right, we can't exactly pinpoint when our love started, and I don't think it really matters. What matters is that we love each other now, and that we will always do, and together we will raise our kids to be great wizards, but before that, caring and compassionate human beings, something you had to find your way to on your own because of your upbringing, and that still amazes me you managed to accomplish on your own. I love you too, Harry”

After that, they exchanged the rings, and finally the moment both of them were waiting for came.

“Harry, you may kiss the bride” the officer announced, grinning.

He didn't need to be told twice, and pulled her to him in a chaste kiss, but just because they had an audience because if it was up to him the kiss would have been much more heated, so strong was his love for her he couldn't get enough of that amazing woman who had just become his wife, while all around them the cheers erupted.

Once the ceremony was finished, the seats magically vanished, and were replaced with tables, much more comfy chairs, and the altar was substituted by the buffet. People started filling their plates with the complex but tasty dishes, and all ate peacefully, exchanging jokes, or retelling the last gossips in Parvati and Lavender cases.

Then, the moment for dancing came. Harry and Hermione, being the newlyweds, had to open the dances, and it couldn't be on anything else than a romantic song.

There's a calm surrender to the rush of day
When the heat of a rolling wind can be turned away
An enchanted moment, and it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior just to be with you

Harry and Hermione were moving to the rhythm of the slow music, and no one else had yet joined them on the dance floor. All the eyes were on them, who sported huge grins while looking at each other's eyes.

And can you feel the love tonight
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far
And can you feel the love tonight
How it's laid to rest
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best

By now other couples had joined them dancing, for example James and Kate, and Rose and Scorpius too.

“I wish I could have danced with you at the Ball” the blonde said wistfully. “But at least I can do it now” he added with a grin.

“That you do” she replied, resting her head on his shoulder while swaying to the song.

“Aren't they cute?” Kate gushed while she and her boyfriend were moving past the younger couple.

“I admit I never thought possible, but yes, they are indeed cute” he said with a grin, “Not as much as you and me, though” he added then, with a confident smile.

“Your ego is already bigger than this castle, you know” she said, playfully rolling her eyes at him.

“And you love me for that” he cheekily retorted, silencing her with a kiss. She moaned into his mouth and kissed him back.

“I think I love you more for this other side of you” she coyly admitted, before kissing him again.

There's a time for everyone if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn
There's a rhyme and reason to the wild outdoors
When the heart of this star-crossed voyager beats in time with yours

Once the crowd had dispersed, everyone wishing the newlyweds an happy marriage, with the Weasleys who had volunteered taking the kids to the Burrow for their honeymoon, Harry and Hermione Apparated to a secluded island in the French Polynesia where Harry had booked for them two weeks in the most luxurious suite, which had a spectacular view on the ocean and private access to the beach, so that they would never be disturbed by other customers.

Although, Harry highly doubted they would be much on the beach, in those two weeks.

-->

18. Epilogue


Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…the song is form Elton John from “The Lion King” soundtrack. Childish, I know, but I love it, lol.

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This is the end of the story, guys. I hope you liked it as much as I had fun writing it!

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Eighteen: Epilogue

Harry Potter woke up, as every morning, and turned to his side to look at his wife. He smiled, and pulled her close which earned him a satisfied little moan from her as she snuggled near him, still sleeping.

He still couldn't believe he could be so happy. It had been ten years since the day Ron and Ginny had died, and nine years, more or less, since he had married Hermione.

He couldn't have asked for anything better, and he had to admit he was happier now than he had been with Ginny.

If five kids weren't enough, Harry and Hermione had wanted some of their own, so this lead to the birth of Eliza Natalie Potter, eight years old, and Daniel Remus Potter, five years old.

As if on cue, the youngest came into the room, and joined them in bed, resting peacefully near his mother. Harry inwardly chuckled at that.

Eliza had brown curls and piercing green eyes, while Daniel was all his mother, with brown hair and orbs, although he had inherited his father's messiness when it came to hair. He couldn't keep them down if he tried.

Eliza was quite vivacious and couldn't wait to get on a broom, to Hermione's disappointment as she was crazy afraid of one of her kids getting hurt falling from a broomstick. However, the girl seemed to have inherited Harry's flying skills, so there wasn't really to worry there. But a mum can't help it, can she?

As for Daniel, he was more quiet and seemed to have taken a like to the library, where he would stay hours looking at the moving pictures in the books. He still wasn't quite able to read but he was starting to do that with Hermione's help, as she was really happy her son seemed to have inherited her knack for books.

“Going to read “Hogwarts: A History” more times that you ever did, he is” Harry loved to tease her, at which she would stick her tongue at him, making him laugh.

As for the older ones, James was playing professional Quidditch for Puddlemere United, and he was the best Seeker of the league for three years in a row now and going for the fourth. He was quite popular with the girls, and he usually had fan girls throwing themselves at him at every match or party he attended. But he had eyes only for a certain brunette who had stuck with him since his Hogwarts days.

He and Kate were getting married in a month, and Harry couldn't be more proud of his eldest. He could have chosen a flashy girl, all appearance and no brains, and no one would have thought it strange seeing the bimbos that kept lusting after him, but he chose to spend his life with a nice young woman, who was beautiful in her own way but was smart too, could keep him in line if the need came but knew how to have fun too.

She had taken the path of healing, going to work for St. Mungo's, so Harry was quite friendly with her. He had resumed his job at the Auror Department, and more often than he cared for he would have to go check on fellow Aurors in the hospital, thus he often met her.

Harry was eerily reminded of him and Hermione seeing how James and her interacted, which made stronger the feeling that maybe he should have opened his eyes many years before, and see what was just in front of his face. But there was no sense in thinking about that now, he could not change the past. At least, he was with her now.

Albus was out of school too of course and had joined his father in the Auror ranks, and was currently in a relationship with that redhead from Ravenclaw, Julie Fanhorn, with whom he had definitely hooked up in sixth year after that for two years they had danced around each other, giving it a go and then calling it off at least three times. They were currently very happy and Harry knew his son was thinking about marriage.

Rose, she had pursued her love for Transfiguration and had taken McGonagall's place as teacher at Hogwarts, now that the elder witch decided to dedicate herself only to the Headmistress' business. She claimed to have become too old to fill two positions at the same time, and Rose had proved to be a very skilled teacher in the two years she had held the spot till now. Hermione was tremendously proud of her daughter and Harry was so happy with her too. She and Scorpius had just gotten engaged, but decided to take things slow and plan the wedding for the next summer.

As for Hugo and Lily, they were in their seventh and last year at Hogwarts. He followed his natural father's school career, barely making it year after year thanks to the help of his cousin, which instead was top of her class and appointed Head Girl this year. Harry couldn't help seeing some of his own mother in her, at least from what he had been told of her, and not only the name. She was actually single, but Harry suspected she had an attraction for the Head Boy and from what he had been able to witness at King's Cross year after year the boy was smitten with her too. They were just too stubborn to admit it and give it a shot. Hugo was instead seeing a fifth year Hufflepuff, but it was nothing particularly serious for now.

Hermione had managed to meddle her career and caring about her two new children, and she even turned down the spot as Vice-minister because that would leave her too little time to spend with them, and her family in general. Harry had suggested he quit working again so she could take the job but she hotly refused, and in the end it was better for all of them. She would stress herself less, and still do a job she loved, Harry could do something he liked much too, and the children would be cared about by Molly, who was more than happy to have them as the Burrow was really quiet now that all of her seven kids were on their own.

Harry's musings on his family were interrupted by someone, particularly his wife, wishing him good morning.

“Good morning to you too, love” he said, kissing the top of her head.

“What were you so deep in thought about?” she asked, resting her head on his chest.

“Nothing special, just what a great family we have” he said with a smile on his lips. “And that we ended having a family as big as the Weasleys” he joked. “If someone had told me, I wouldn't have thought it possible”

“Neither would I” she confirmed, smiling herself. “But this is how life goes, you plan something and then it comes and swipes those plans away and pushes you into something you never expected”

“You can say that again” he whispered. “I never guessed I would end married to you, but believe me I am glad life pushed us together”

“Me too, Harry” she said, pecking him on the lips. The presence of their sleeping son prevented them from doing more like they would have both wanted.

“Well, time to get up and prepare breakfast for this little rascal here and the little sleeping princess” Harry said, moving out of bed while Hermione remained there with their son some more.

Harry was right, they really had a great family, she thought looking at her sleeping son.

As for the rest of the Wizarding World, Kingsley Shacklebolt was still Minister, and he would probably be for a long time, since his popularity kept growing. Having Harry and Hermione, two of the heroes of the war, on his side was a plus, and he did all what was needed to start changing some prejudices in their society.

Hermione had fought to grant Elves, Centaurs and the other magical creatures like werewolves some rights, and Kingsley completely approved her view on the matter, as well as Harry. It was something that would need a couple of generations of wizards to fully change but at least they had planted the seeds.

As for dark wizards, after the “Voldemort Avengers” group, no other entities like that arose, and while, like Dumbledore had often said, evil never truly died and they could only fight to keep it at bay, for the moment the idea of a new war was really far from coming.

Hogwarts was still divided into Houses, and some rivalries like Gryffindor against Slytherin would never truly vanish, however Headmistress McGonagall had toned it down quite a bit creating projects were the houses would have to work together, thus trying to promote that unity the Sorting Hat had been talking about in Harry and Hermione's Hogwarts years.

The two of them would at times go visit at the castle, for the joy of the students who could look closely at that Harry Potter they studied about in books, especially in History of Magic.

While Harry was still a bit queasy about being famous, he had come to terms with it, and with the fact he would never be normal in their world, but this didn't stop him to go and meet some old friends like Hagrid, Minerva, Neville who was still the Herbology Professor, and now his stepdaughter Rose too.

While she was thinking about those things, Daniel woke up and started tugging on her arm to go downstairs and have breakfast. The smell of freshly made pancakes and bacon, as well as eggs, was coming up from the kitchen and when her own stomach rumbled, she knew it was time to go and have a bite with her husband and their children, as she heard running on the steps which could only mean Eliza was up too.

As she walked down, she couldn't help thinking that they were truly happy now, and nothing could change that.

Yes, now all was definitely well.

-->