The Prince

Alexandria Malfoy

Rating: PG13
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Draco & Ginny
Book: Draco & Ginny, Books 1 - 6
Published: 03/09/2007
Last Updated: 30/08/2008
Status: In Progress

Throughout his childhood, Draco had always been known as "the prince". D/G

1. Prologue

2. Chapter 1

3. Chapter 2

A/N- FYI, although my beta loves my characterization of him, Voldemort may seem not as crazy in my story. I never saw him to be particularly insane (or as insane as some characterizations that I've read in fanfic) to begin with. Anyways, just thought I'd inform you all so I don't get reviews crying out in protest of his character.

And now, the chapter...


The Prince

Chapter 2


Summer before Draco’s Seventh Year

“You requested my family’s presence, Master?”

Lucius knelt before Lord Voldemort, kissing the hem of his obsidian robes, before stepping back to stand by his frightened wife and son.

“Yes, Lucius,” Voldemort hissed. “I have a request for you.”

“Anything, Master.”

“I am seeking a new headquarters for our ever growing numbers. While my Muggle father’s manor is useful, it is not as spacious as I would like it to be. Therefore, I want to use Malfoy Manor from now on.”

“Ex-excuse me? But, Master, my family does not need anymore reason why the Ministry should put the three of us into Azkaban. They are already performing an inquiry upon our house. They have started freezing our vaults. My Lord, I do not know if it would be wise to move headquarters over to Malfoy Manor.”

Voldemort rose out of his seat, his eyes going from a clear blue to a glowing garnet. “Do I sense derision from the cause? Lest your pathetic family forget how forgiving I was toward young Draco. I would think that would not want anything to happen to your only heir?”

Lucius shook his head quickly, “No, Master. I am merely asking you to reconsider your choice in a new location for our headquarters.”

“Very well. For the time being. Go.” He dismissed them with a wave of an opaque hand.

They began to file out, replacing their masks and hoods as they exited the room.

“Wait.” The Malfoys turned at the sound of Voldemort’s voice. “Draco, come here. Lucius and Narcissa, leave us.”

Narcissa paled behind her mask. “Please, Lord, no! He is only a boy!” She reached out as if to grab Draco’s sleeve before Voldemort began laughing.

“Do not worry your pretty head, Narcissa. I only wish to speak to the boy. I do not at all intend to harm a single silver hair on his head,” he replied with a grin. Narcissa paled even further. “Now, Draco, come here.”

Lucius strode out of the room with Narcissa scuttling out not too long after.

Draco stared at the spot from where his parents had just vacated. He fearfully tore his gaze away and focused in on the malicious being before him.

“Take off your mask, Draco.”

With shaking hands, Draco did the task commanded of him, revealing his deathly pallor.

Voldemort took all of this in, raising an eyebrow as he did so. “Do you fear me, Draco?”

Draco’s eyes flicked from Voldemort to the carpeted floor beneath his pristine Cole Haan’s.

“No, not at all.”

“Come closer, Draco.”

Draco’s legs felt like tree roots; he was frozen, only working up the courage to move after Voldemort’s eyes began to glow a deeper red.

“Yes, my Lord?”

“I have another task for you. Think of it as a way to redeem yourself after the abomination that was your first task.”

“Thank you, my Lord. Thank you,” Draco repeated profusely, bowing as he did so.

“Do not grovel, Draco. It does not become you,” Voldemort spat at the young man in irritation. “Now, your latest task. Do you know who Ginny Weasley is?”

Draco’s face contorted in disgust. “What about her, My Lord?”

“Do you know what happened to her during her very first year at Hogwarts?”

“The entire school knows, my Lord.” Draco was steadily gaining his confidence back. Berating the Weasleys was like a safety net.

“Then I shall not go into the details of what happened to her. Although my old diary was destroyed, there is still a small part of me repressed deep within her mind. I feel that with the proper stimuli, this part of her mind could unlock, in turn giving her the potential to become the ultimate spy for our cause. Severus has done an adequate job this far, but our little Ginny is rather familiar with Potter.”

“So, what do you want me to do?” Draco asked, no longer addressing Voldemort as his superior, but rather as he might a fellow student.

If Voldemort was displeased by this, he showed no reaction. He simply said, “I want you to date Ginny Weasley.”

“Are you fucking shitting me?” Draco had lost it. There was no way in hell that he was dating that, that thing; even if it meant the difference between life and death.

“No, Draco, I am not, as you so eloquently put it, ‘shitting’ you,” Voldemort responded wryly.

First, he suggested that he date the Weasley girl, and now he has a sense of humour? Clearly, the Dark Lord was afflicted with something besides megalomania.

“But why me? Why her?” Draco asked indignantly.

“Are you deaf as well as completely incompetent?” Damn. Voldemort was on a roll today. “I have already informed you that I wish Ginny Weasley to join our ranks as a spy, considering my influence over her and the influence she has with Potter. If you feel you can’t handle something as simple as dating, then maybe I should give your mission to someone more adept in that field. Zabini, for instance.” At the mention of Blaise’s name, Voldemort’s eyes flashed once again. Draco interpreted it as “Accept, or watch me kill your family before I slowly kill you.”

Draco bowed his head in defeat. “I’ll do it,” he mumbled, cringing.

“I’m sorry; I’m afraid you’ll have to enunciate when speaking in my presence,” Voldemort jibed.

“I said, I’ll do it,” Draco repeated through gritted teeth.

“Excellent.”

* * * * * * * *

One hour later

“Master, you have visitors,” Fizzy squeaked as she entered Lucius’s study.

“What? I’m not expecting any. Where did you leave them?”

“Well, you see, Master…” Fizzy was wringing her hands; she really didn’t want the Master to know that she had lost control of the guests.

“Spit it out already!”

Before Fizzy could answer, Narcissa had burst into the study, out of breath.

“Lucius…they’re here…”

“Who is here, Cissa?”

But Lucius could feel who was here. He opened the door to his study to see absolute chaos.

Death Eaters, everywhere, running rampant throughout his home.

He turned to Narcissa, “Where’s Draco?”

They both looked down the corridor to see their son being pushed out of his room by Fenrir Greyback, who slammed the door in Draco’s face before he even had a chance to get up from the floor.

“What the hell is going on here?” Lucius yelled, irate over the destruction.

“I’m so glad you asked, Lucius,” a smooth voice replied, hissing ever so slightly.

Lucius paled, sweat beads forming at his temples and hairline. He knew who that voice belonged to.

Voldemort grinned. “You see, Lucius, I truly did think about what you had asked of me. After all, you are my most humble of servants, but as you can see, I, how shall I put this, decided it would be best to deny your request.”

All Lucius could do was leave his mouth open in shock.

“Lucius, please close your mouth. Looking like a fish does not suit you,” the Dark Lord admonished.

Lucius promptly shut his mouth – a tic began to appear along his jaw line.

“Very well. Can my family at least stay in our own rooms?”

“Of course. It would not do to take advantage of such gracious hosts.”

Lucius bowed his head. “Thank you, my Lord.”

Voldemort looked past Lucius to Draco and grinned once more.

“Draco, have you informed your parents of your next mission?”

Narcissa turned to her son, beaming, “You received another mission? How wonderful!”

“Well, Draco, what is it?” Lucius asked in clipped tones.

“I am to get Ginny Weasley to join our ranks,” Draco replied, already anticipating his father’s response.

“And how do you expect to do that?”

“By dating her?” It wasn’t intended to be a question, but Draco’s accompanying cringe changed the inflection.

The tic in Lucius’s jaw became even more pronounced.

“Are you displeased with young Draco’s latest mission?” Voldemort asked, amusement evident in his voice. Torturing the Malfoys might become his new favourite past-time.

“No, my Lord, not at all,” Lucius replied through gritted teeth.

“That’s what I thought.”



A/N- Thanks to my betas, Lady Laurelin and Lisa!

Thanks for reading! Please review!

4. Chapter 3

A/N-I'm pretty sure that the story's current rating covers the use of swearing, but if it does not, you have been warned.

There is also the possibility of more cursing from now on.


The Prince

Chapter 3


Two weeks.

It had been two whole weeks since he had heard from Ginny last.

This latest update had come in the form of an owl informing him of when she wanted to begin working on his new flat.

That had been Friday.

It was now Monday and, in just over an hour, he was expected to be outside of his compound to meet her.

He really shouldn’t be this nervous. It’s been four years, after all. He’s moved on, found women more aesthetically pleasing than Ginevra Weasley. Yet, her spitefulness and malice toward him had only rekindled memories that he really should not be thinking about.

He needed to get out more.

* * * * * * * *

He was five minutes late.

If there was one thing Ginevra Weasley could not abide by, it was tardiness.

She stood outside of his compound clad in a pair of black skinny jeans, black suede boots, and a blood red, woollen, empire waist coat. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail, but the mid-December winds were currently whipping stray strands into a frenzy.

She hiked her bag higher up on her shoulder before wrapping her fringed scarf tighter around her neck.

Didn’t he realize how fucking cold it was outside?

Whenever his pasty arse decided to grace her with its presence, she was going to give him a right good piece of her mind.

She squinted at a figure about two metres to her right. Finally. Little blond bastard had decided to show up.

Draco’s cheeks were flushed when he reached Ginny. He had been walking at a swift pace from Diagon Alley to the compound where Pansy’s old flat was, about five blocks away.

He had sucked in a breath, in hopes of speaking, but Ginny cut him off. “Can I assume that you are going to be late from now on? I come here prepared to work, yet when I get here, my employer is nowhere to be found. Please, tell me what was so important that you couldn’t take time out of your so-called ‘busy schedule’ to be on time for my appointment?”

Draco’s eyes had turned to slate as Ginny finished her question, complete with air-quotes to punctuate her irritation towards him. He was a Malfoy. He did not have to deal with the likes of her.

“Why should I answer to someone like you? You don’t even deserve to reside on the underside of my shoes. Why don’t you just --” But Ginny had cut him off by shoving her portfolio into his chest.

“Fuck you, Malfoy. If I’m so beneath you, then you can just decorate your flat by yourself. Have fun!” And with a jaunty salute, Ginny turned and started walking down the street.

Draco opened the portfolio to Ginny’s sketches. Her writing looked like cuneiform and was absolutely impossible to decipher. Damn it. Leave it to her to make her work only intelligible to her. He needed her.

He started running down the street after her, calling out her name. “Ginny! Ginny! Ginny, wait!”

She stopped only after his sixth call, slowly turning around to face him. “Yes?”

“Look. I’m sorry for being late. It won’t happen again,” he ground out, trying not to become aggravated at the smirk that was growing on her lips.

“Make sure that it doesn’t, Malfoy. I do not appreciate it when my clients are late,” she stated with a glare.

“Right. Here’s your portfolio,” he replied, handing her back the leather folder.

Like their last meeting, the tension was palpable. Ginny’s eyes were fixated on a point in front of her, determined to prevent her eyes from wandering over to Draco. He glanced at her every now and then as they walked back to his compound, attempting to gauge her emotions. She seemed to be calming down now, but with Ginny, it could be hit or miss.

They quickly made the ascent up the stone stairs, pausing as Draco opened the door to allow their entrance. The trip up the flight of stairs to the flat proceeded in the same manner, only this time Draco fumbled as he tried to remember the combination of spells it took to unlock the wards.

Once inside, Ginny walked to the middle of the now empty flat and sat down on the floor, opening her folder on the floor in front of her.

Draco took off his cloak and placed it on the floor next to her before sitting cross-legged on it.

He watched as Ginny sifted through papers, a need to fill the silence growing within him.

“So, Ginny, what made you choose a career in interior design?”

“I’ve always loved drawing and patterns. That, coupled with how much I argued with McGonagall over the layout of Gryffindor Tower, led me to where I am today,” she uttered, her eyes never leaving the folder or its contents.

Draco did not seem to notice. “I, for one, thought you would’ve done something more along the lines of painting. Your work is rather phenomenal,” he replied, glancing down at her to see her reaction.

Ginny had the grace to blush at Draco’s last comment; the pink flush was spreading down her cheeks to her neck (and further, as Draco recalled…). “Thank you, Mr. Malfoy.”

Draco turned his attention to the folder, noticing the sketches, fabric swatches and paint samples scattered across its surface.

Ginny now turned to him, pulling out specific pages to illustrate her ideas. “For the entire flat, the colour-scheme will be Slytherin House colours, as you dictated. While your former House’s décor is rather, well, gothic, in nature, this flat will be far from it. Really, the only place that will resemble it will be your study. Do you have any questions?”

“So my entire flat will feature only green, silver, and black?”

“I did have other colours in mind, just to not make it seem so monotonous or monochromatic, but I was unsure as to whether you would approve or not.”

“What else did you have in mind?”

Ginny flashed Draco an impish grin, getting up to stand. “Come with me.”

Draco had to admit that her expression had roused his interest, but at the same time it scared him. He remembered what that grin accompanied.

“This flat has five rooms and three bathrooms, including the Master Suite Pansy created,” Ginny began, turning her head to make sure that Draco was following her. She stopped just inside the doorway of a bedroom. “This is where I was planning on having your study located. I know that you specified Slytherin colours, and all, but I really couldn’t help myself. Anyways, with your study we have one of two options: decorate in the stereotypical dark, brooding, ‘manly’ fashion, or you can do something that’s somewhat fun.”

“And what exactly is your definition of fun?” Draco asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, from my understanding, you’re a pretty big Quidditch fan, right?”

Why is she even asking me that? I thought that fact was blatantly obvious considering my position as Slytherin House Seeker and Captain, Draco thought, still perplexed.

“Yeah, but what does that have to do with my study?”

“I was thinking that you could indulge the kid in you a bit and make it a Quidditch-themed room. And before you even wrinkle your nose at the idea, just trust me; it would be done in a mature manner – nothing cutsey or kitsch. I’ve seen it done before, and I’ve done a man’s study in a similar fashion, so I know what I’m doing.”

“How would it be done?”

Ginny pulled out two sheets of sketch paper, fabric swatches and paint samples attached to each.

Draco glanced at the sheets Ginny proceeded to hand over to him, noticing that the first revolved around the Slytherin House team the years that he had attended Hogwarts, while the other was designed in regards to his favourite team, the Falmouth Falcons.

The Slytherin room was composed of dark mahogany, black leather and his former House’s colours. Lining a side wall was a large floor-to-ceiling bookshelf; at its centre a glass display case holding Draco’s Quidditch uniform and his old Nimbus 2001 – the name, Malfoy, in large block letters stamped on the robe. The bookcase’s columns were serpents winding up to the top. The walls were forest green, while all the accessories, from the lamps to the paperweights, were silver.

Draco was in love.

“This is amazing,” Draco uttered.

He flicked his gaze over to Ginny, noticing her smirk and smug expression.

“Look at the next one,” she stated, pointing a finger at the papers in his hands.

The Falcons room was modelled in a similar fashion to that of the Slytherin House team design, except that instead of green and silver, the colours were dark grey and white, and Draco’s uniform was now replaced with – “You can get me a jersey with my name on it?!” Draco exclaimed, snapping his head up to meet Ginny’s gaze. He glanced down at the sketch again, “And a quaffle signed by the entire team?! Even I am unable to get anything from the team. Could you really make that happen?”

“Of course,” Ginny replied with ease. “Knowing that Harry Potter is absolutely arse over teakettle for me does have its advantages.”

“That is incredibly evil of you,” Draco said with a mixture of awe and disgust.

Ginny waved a hand at him. “Oh, please. Like you wouldn’t take advantage of that if you were me.”

Draco considered this for a moment. “Too true. It’s the mark of a good Slytherin.”

“Are you calling me a Slytherin, Mr. Malfoy? Why, that might be the closest thing to a compliment I’ll ever receive from you!” Ginny exclaimed, feigning joy.

“I do believe your job description does not include sarcasm.”

“Only when I have to work with you, Mr. Malfoy,” Ginny replied, giving Draco a beatific grin.

Draco rolled his eyes, trying to conceal the smile that was threatening to make an appearance on his face. “Just do your job, Ginny.”

* * * * * * * *

In the end, Ginny convinced Draco to decorate his flat in colours that were decidedly not Slytherin in nature – blues, brown, white, and even some reds.

The only room that fit his initial description was the Master Suite. When Ginny suggested crimson and gold as a joke, Draco put his foot down, causing only the slightest bit of cowering on Ginny’s part.

Draco also succumbed to the prospect of having a Falmouth Falcons jersey with his name on it, as well as a quaffle signed by the entire team; vanity be damned. There were just some things that he was unable to owning, even with his wealth and somewhat cleared name. Those articles just happened to be on that particular list.

Draco was also loathe to admit that he enjoyed his time with Ginny. He could tell that she was slowly getting accustomed to being around him again; their banter toward the end of the day was evidence of that.

Maybe with a little cajoling she would be up for meeting him outside of their working environment.

Draco stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes widened, and he shook his head to rid himself of such thoughts, much to the amusement of passerbys on the street.

She would pound me into a bloody pulp if I even hinted at such an idea, Draco thought as he continued walking. Maybe I should wait and see what happens.


A/N- Thanks to my lovely betas, Lady Laurelin and Lisa. As well as my friend, Chelsea, for giving me words of encouragement.

Please review!

5. Chapter 4

A/N- Longest chapter yet! It's not too much longer but, well, there's a whole lot in it. I'm thinking that chapter 5 will be much longer, though, because that's when everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Enjoy reading!



The Prince

Chapter 4


Draco’s Seventh Year, Ginny’s Sixth

“Draco, I really don’t know if I should go with you.”

“Don’t worry at all, Ginny. You-Know-Who is on the continent searching for something or other and my parents have received permission to clear out the Manor for the Christmas holidays. Just trust me.”

“But what about my parents and the rest of my family?”

“Just tell them that you’re going to Luna’s for the hols and Longbottom’s staying with the two of you as well. Which is mostly true, but you’re only spending about three days with Luna.”

“Promise that nothing bad will happen to me?”

“I promise that nothing bad will ever happen to you as long as you’re with me.”

To seal the deal, Draco took Ginny’s hand into his own, kissing the top of it, before wrapping her in a hug.

“I would never let anything bad happen to you, Ginny. Never.”

* * * * * * * *

Malfoy Manor was not always the grandiose spectacle that it is today.

When the Mal Foi clan migrated over from Gaul (modern-day France, Italy, and Belgium) in the late eighth century to what is now Wiltshire, the thirty member tribe was initially scattered across what became the overall property. Their leader, Orion Mal Foi, had settled on the part of the property that now holds the manor-house.

Through trade, both wizarding and Muggle, legal and illegal, the Mal Fois made their fortune, eventually changing their name to Malfoy sometime during the thirteenth century. It was also around this time that the manor-house began its transformation into the manor-house that is seen today.

Up until the mid-eleventh century, the Mal Fois were still scattered across their land, until Hyperion Mal Foi’s son, Lucien, began construction on a home big enough for the entire family. What was at first a stone castle became a modern, marble structure upon Orion Malfoy’s (1826-1902) ascension to the Head of House.

- From The History of the Malfoys, Third Edition

* * * * * * * *

“Ginny, is that you?”

Ginny walked up to stand behind Draco at his desk and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, leaning down to plant a kiss on top of his head.

Draco’s gaze travelled upward to see a smiling Ginny.

“Have you heard from parents at all?” Draco asked with concern.

“I just got an owl from Mum. She sounded rather happy that I was spending the hols with Luna. Just as long as I write to her around three times a week. I think she’s pleased with the fact that I’m not begging her to stay with her and Dad,” Ginny finished, mentally replacing “her and Dad” with “the Order”.

“Excellent,” Draco replied with a smile. “Are you packed?”

Ginny pulled her trunk out of her robe pocket, using an Engorgio spell to return the trunk to its original size. “It’s all here.”

“Okay. As soon as the clock strikes one, we’ll leave.” Draco glanced at the grandfather clock on the opposite wall. “That gives us about an hour. Can you think of anything that we could do fill in that time?” Draco asked, smirking.

Ginny immediately relinquished her hold on Draco to sprint across the room.

“Gin, as your Head Boy, I highly suggest that you not run away, lest you enjoy being punished.”

Ginny turned around to see Draco stalking toward her; smirking as though he were a cat who finally caught his mouse.

“There’s no use running, Ginny. I always get what I want,” Draco murmured, bringing his lips down upon Ginny’s.

* * * * * * * *

“It is so good to see you home, Master Draco!”

Draco and Ginny were immediately assaulted by a squealing Fizzy, who had decided to attach herself to Draco’s left leg.

Draco looked down at the small elf, using his free hand to give her a pat on the head. “It’s good to see you, too, Fizzy,” he replied with a chuckle.

Fizzy let go of her death grip on Draco’s leg to look at both him and Ginny with orbous blue eyes. She took in the sight of Ginny then glanced down to see Draco and Ginny’s clasped hands.

“Master Draco, who is the young Miss with you?” she asked, her forehead creased in confusion.

“This is my girlfriend, Ginny. She will be staying with us for most of the Christmas hols. I want you to treat her exactly the same way that you treat me. Is that understood, Fizzy?”

The elf nodded, her large ears flopping violently. “Yes, Master Draco.”

“Are my Mother and Father home?”

“Master Malfoy is not here right now,” Fizzy replied hesitantly, knowing exactly where Lucius was. “But Mistress Malfoy is home, sitting in the atrium. Should Fizzy escort Master Draco and Miss Ginny to Mistress Malfoy?”

“No, Fizzy, that won’t be necessary. If you could just take our bags for us, that would be great. Make sure that Ginny’s room is right next to mine.”

Fizzy bowed in understanding, snapping her fingers, leaving Draco and Ginny alone, their trunks already with her.

Draco turned to Ginny with a smile, “Read to meet Mother?”

Ginny replied with a nervous grin, “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

* * * * * * * *

Narcissa stood in the atrium, attending to a clump of white narcissi that were being particularly troublesome.

“Mother?”

She turned at the sound of her son’s voice to see him, smiling, hand entwined with that of redheaded girl only a head shorter than him.

“Draco!” she cried out, running to wrap her son in a warm embrace. “Oh, I’ve been so worried about you. How is school?” she asked, letting go and leading the pair to a tea table near the narcissi.

“School is just fine, Mother.”

“Are you keeping up with your grades? I heard that those awful Carrows have actually been given teaching jobs there.” Narcissa wrinkled her nose in disgust. “I am appalled that Severus would do something so crass.”

“I have been keeping up with my school work, and I do believe that Professor Snape had other outside influences when choosing the Carrows,” Draco replied, giving a significant look to his mother.

“Oh,” Narcissa squeaked, understanding the implied message. Her eyes flitted around the room, trying to think of a different topic of conversation before her grey orbs alighted on Ginny.

“Draco, please introduce me to the lovely young lady by your side.”

Ginny blushed under Narcissa’s inquisitive gaze.

“This is Ginny Weasley, Mother. Ginny, this is my mother, Narcissa Malfoy,” Draco stated, motioning between the two women.

“Ah, yes, I’ve heard so much about you. I’ve never seen my son happier,” Narcissa said with a smile directed toward Ginny.

“As have I, Mrs. Malfoy. Thank you so much for allowing me to stay in your lovely home.”

Narcissa waved her hand dismissively. “Oh, it’s no trouble at all, dear. And please, call me Narcissa.”

Ginny inclined her head slightly. “Of course…Narcissa,” she replied, rolling Narcissa’s name off of her tongue as though she was savouring the taste and feel of it like the biscuit on her plate.

“I assume that Draco has told you about our family’s annual Christmas ball?” Narcissa asked, bringing her tea cup to her lips for a sip.

Ginny glared at a visibly sheepish Draco. “No, he did not tell me about your ball.”

“I insist that you attend with Draco. It’s one of, if not, the most talked about event of the season,” Narcissa stated with the familiar cold pride that Ginny had come to associate with the Malfoys.

“I would love to attend, Narcissa, but I am afraid that I did not pack any dress robes. I would have, had I’d known.”

Narcissa waved her hand again. “That can be taken care of, dear.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to take advantage of you or your kindness.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” Narcissa replied with a smile. She glanced down at her diamond-rimmed wristwatch. “I’m afraid I must leave you two now. If you wish to take a tour of the atrium or the Manor as a whole, Ginny, you are more than welcome to. If you’ll excuse me,” she finished, standing and exiting the atrium.

Draco watched his mother leave, standing once she was out of sight. He pulled Ginny’s chair out for her, extending a hand to lead her around the atrium.

“Does your mother care for all of the plants here?”

“For the most part. The house elves take care of them when she’s on vacation, but other than that, the atrium is all her handiwork. My mother considers gardening a form of therapy.”

Ginny paused as she spotted a cluster of tiger lilies and cornflower-coloured orchids.

“Draco,” she turned to face him, “do you think I can set up my painting supplies in here?”

“I’ll have to ask Mother about it, but I don’t see why she would say no.”

Ginny gave Draco a quick peck on the cheek. “Thank you.”

* * * * * * * *

The Next Day

“Rise and shine, Ginny. We have a very busy day ahead of us,” Narcissa announced, throwing open the curtains in Ginny’s room.

Ginny rolled over to face the window, half-squinting, half-glaring at Narcissa. The sun was a little too bright, in her opinion, and as Ginny turned to glance at the clock on the nightstand, she couldn’t help but groan.

Eight o’clock in the morning.

If it weren’t for the fact that she was Draco’s mother, Narcissa would’ve been dead by now.

Said mentioned subject of Ginny’s ire turned to face the upset young woman, frowning when she realized that her son’s girlfriend was not a morning person.

“Ginny, I know you may be upset with me right now, but if we’re to find you a dress for the Christmas ball, then we need to start early. I’ll have you know that I have made appointments with several shops and some of my own personal couturiers.”

Ginny groaned again, rolling over, pulling the comforter over her head as she did so.

Narcissa glared at the defiant bundle of blankets, simultaneously placing her hands on her hips and clucking her tongue.

In five swift strides, she was by Ginny’s bed, yanking off the crimson covers with a rather elegant flourish.

Ginny screeched at the sudden change in temperature, curling into a fetal position in hope of some warmth.

Narcissa sighed in exasperation. “Fine. Stay under your covers.” Narcissa turned away to leave the room, fed up with Ginny, before stopping dead in her tracks, a truly devious smirk blossoming on her face. “Since it’s blatantly obvious that you are uninterested in attending the ball, then I guess Draco can just find another date. I hear Daphne Greengrass and Tracey Davis are available. Or maybe Pansy Parkinson. Merlin knows that girl is still in love with Draco.”

Narcissa had to cover her mouth to stifle a giggle as Ginny shot straight up in bed, wide-eyed and slightly frazzled.

Ginny’s feet tentatively touched the cold hardwood floor beneath her bed, their owner shivering as she acclimated herself.

Safe with the knowledge that Ginny was (slowly) getting out of bed, Narcissa began to make her way towards the door, only to be stopped by Ginny planting herself directly in Narcissa’s path.

“It will be a cold day in hell before some cow like Pansy Parkinson takes my boyfriend anywhere.”

Narcissa stared at Ginny, eyes wide and devoid of emotion. “I have no idea what you are talking about, dear.”

Ginny glared at Narcissa, realization slowly dawning in her sleep-addled mind. “That was evil.”

The blonde woman standing in front of Ginny covered her mouth with a hand, allowing only a small giggle to escape.

“Well, if you weren’t being so uncooperative, then I would not have had to resort to such extreme measures.”

Ginny sighed in annoyance. “Fine. Give me twenty minutes.”

“Meet me in the dining room when you’re done,” Narcissa sang out, waggling her fingers as she walked out.

* * * * * * * *

Ginny sighed for what seemed like the millionth time that day as Narcissa dragged her to different shops in search of the perfect dress.

When Narcissa deemed the whole of England completely unsatisfactory when it came to a dress, she Side-Along Apparated Ginny to Paris’ version of Diagon Alley, Rue de Sorcier. As soon as their feet hit the ground, Narcissa brought Ginny to her favourite shop – a small boutique with a gold plaque next to its unobtrusive door, signifying its importance and social status.

Narcissa gave the door two sharp knocks before a raven-haired woman with blunt, French bangs and mid-back length hair answered, quickly ushering Narcissa and Ginny inside.

The woman turned to Narcissa with a smile, guiding her two customers over to a tea table in front of a covered platform and three angled mirrors.

“How can I help you today, Narcissa?” the dark-haired woman asked with the slightest of French accents.

“I’m in need of a dress for my son’s girlfriend, Ginny,” Narcissa responded, motioning to Ginny.

The French woman extended a hand to Ginny. “Adrienne Clemenceau, at your service,” the woman replied once Ginny shook her hand.

“I thought that your expertise regarding dresses and the like would most benefit Ginny,” Narcissa stated as Adrienne turned to face her.

“Occasion?”

“My family’s annual Christmas ball.”

“Ah, but of course.”

Adrienne flicked her gaze over to Ginny, quickly taking in her features.

“Stand,” Adrienne commanded with a flick of the wrist.

Ginny shot up out of her seat, her eyes darting around in nervous anticipation.

Adrienne circled around Ginny several times, taking measurements with a tape measure hanging around her neck.

Satisfied, Adrienne disappeared behind a maroon-coloured curtain, coming back out with five different dresses on a clothing rack.

She pulled a teal, empire-waisted, silk and chiffon sheath, handing it over to Ginny. “Try this on.”

“Where?”

Adrienne motioned to a black curtain next to the maroon one, watching as Ginny rushed through it.

Ginny came back out about five minutes later, going to the platform to stand. Adrienne had Ginny turn around in the dress a couple of times before shaking her head and sending her back to the black curtain with another dress.

It wasn’t until the fifth dress that Adrienne jumped out of her seat in excitement.

“C'est parfait!”

Ginny lifted up the emerald green skirt. “Do you really think so?”

“Oh, Ginny dear, you look wonderful!” Narcissa exclaimed with a smile.

Ginny turned to look at her reflection in the three mirrors.

The dress really was perfect.

It was sleeveless; two green wide muslin straps covered her shoulders and extended to about five inches past her collarbone. The bodice cut straight across Ginny’s chest, stopping right above her hips. The skirt flared out slightly, trailing out behind her a bit. It flowed as she moved, the muslin allowing air to seep through so the dress breathed with each movement. The design was simple, but the rich emerald of the fabric complimented Ginny’s hair and complexion perfectly.

Ginny twirled around a bit more before stepping off of the platform.

Narcissa rose out of her seat and walked over to Ginny, resting a hand on her shoulder. “Is this the one you want, Ginny?”

“This dress is lovely, but again, are you sure you don’t mind buying this for me?”

“Of course I don’t mind!” Narcissa turned to Adrienne. “We’ll take it.”



A/N- As always thanks to Lady Laurelin and Lisa for their help.

C'est parfait = It's perfect
Rue de Sorcier = Wizard Street

Please review!

6. Chapter 5

A/N- Sorry for the super long wait! I've been so wrapped up in school, plus my other WIPs, that this particular fic fell to the wayside. But, I am now actively working on this story again. Thanks to my wonderful beta, Lady Laurelin, for sticking with me for so long!



The Prince - Chapter 5


24 December 1997 – Christmas Eve
Day of the Malfoy Christmas Ball


“Why can’t I see your dress, Ginny?”

Ever since Narcissa and Ginny’s escapade across England and France, it seemed that knowing what Ginny’s dress looked like was the only thing that Draco could think about. He claimed he wanted to make sure she looked the part of a Malfoy paramour.

Ginny whirled around to face him, mouth firmly set in a scowl. “For the last time, Draco, no, you cannot see the bloody dress!”

“But, Gin, -”

“No buts, Draco. Besides, don’t you trust your mother’s judgement?”

“Yes, I do, Ginny, but I just -”

“Then you have nothing to worry about,” Ginny finished with a smile, patting Draco’s cheek.

The blond young man glared at his girlfriend’s retreating form, then scowled at thoughts of her unwillingness to cooperate these last few days.

Ginny said he was obsessed, something he found highly illogical. Draco saw no fault in wanting to ensure that his girlfriend looked amazing.

After she had said ‘no’ the first time, that she wanted it to be a surprise, he quickly formulated a plan of action. He would just keep asking her about it until she broke down.

When Ginny had asked if he trusted his mother’s judgement he had answered honestly – of course he trusted his mother’s opinion, but well, he just wanted to see the dress himself to be sure.

Draco slumped down in the plush armchair he was sitting in, extending his legs as his arms dangled over the arms of the chair.

He needed to see that blasted dress!

Suddenly, inspiration hit.

Springing out of his position in the chair, Draco ran next door to Ginny’s room, knowing for a fact that Ginny was currently having tea in the atrium with his mother, but, more importantly, Ginny’s dress was in her closet.

Draco smirked as he walked over to the closet, opening the two doors with a triumphant flourish.

He began sifting through Ginny’s clothes, letting out a small “A-ha!” once he found a white garment bag with Adrienne’s familiar fleur- de- lis insignia embroidered on the front.

Draco pulled the garment bag out of Ginny’s closet, walked over to her bed and gently laid it on its surface.

He glanced around to make sure that neither Ginny nor his mother would come in at anytime. Exhaling deeply, he slowly pulled down the zipper of the bag.

He could see the maroon-coloured hanger. Slowly. Very Slowly. Ginny would kill him if he snagged the zipper on her dress.

“Draco Lucius Malfoy! What in the name of Merlin do you think you’re doing?”

Draco whipped his head to see Narcissa and a very irate Ginny standing next to her.

Oh, shit.

“I thought Ginny told you to stay away from that dress?” Narcissa began, striding over to her son. “You couldn’t wait until tonight? You couldn’t have a little faith in not only Ginny’s judgement, but in my own as well?”

Great. Now Draco felt like an absolute wanker for obsessing over something so foolish.

He chanced a glance over at Ginny who was trying to decide if she was angry with him or if she should break down in tears. Right now she just looked pissed.

“Gin?” Draco asked hopefully, attempting a smile.

Ginny shook her head. “No, Draco. Not this time. Please leave my room.”

“Look, Ginny, --”

“Get out!”

Draco nodded in acquiescence and defeat, walking out of Ginny’s room.

As soon as Draco was out of Ginny’s sight, she ran to the bed, sobbing into a pillow.

Narcissa carefully zipped back up the garment bag, placing it in the closet before coming to rest beside Ginny.

She rubbed the crying girl’s back, uttering words of comfort in hopes of consoling her.

“Don’t worry, Ginny, dear. I know my son can do incredibly stupid things most of the time, but he only does it because he cares. In some warped, rather impossible to understand way, he truly does care,” Narcissa stated with a serene smile.

Ginny sniffed, tuning over onto her back, shifting her gaze over to Narcissa.

“I know he cares, Narcissa, but sometimes it’s just so difficult to deal with him.”

The Malfoy matriarch looked at Ginny quizzically. “Really?”

Ginny nodded her head emphatically. “He’s incredibly possessive, and if I’m not in his company for more than an hour, he always assumes the worst – that I’ve left him for another boy, or that I’m off having some secret tryst with Harry.”

“Harry Potter?”

Ginny nodded again. “But I haven’t the slightest idea as to where he is right now. I haven’t heard from him in months.”

“That bit aside, much of what you said sounds quite a bit like that the way Lucius was, and to a certain extent, still is.”

Ginny raised a sceptical eyebrow.

“I know it may not seem like it now, but when my parents publicly announced our engagement my sixth year and Lucius’s seventh, he made sure that every boy in Hogwarts knew that I was taken.”

“Lemme guess. Did he walk you to every class?”

Narcissa nodded.

“Made sure that you sat with him at every possible meal?”

Another nod.

“Study with him and only him? Have his friends and/or cronies report back to him on my whereabouts? Hex any guy that comes within a three metre radius of you?”

“Yes to all of those things,” Narcissa replied with a laugh. “I had a talk with Lucius, though, and he’s not as outwardly possessive as he once was.”

“But what about this whole dress situation?”

“Ah, well, I think it mainly has to do with his pride more than anything. He just wanted to make sure that his girlfriend looked better than all the other girls there. Again, Lucius is the exact same way.”

“Should I say something to him?”

“No. Let him come to you. If he’s the man I know he really is, he’ll realize that he needs to apologize to you for worrying about something so trivial.”

Ginny smiled and wrapped her arms around Narcissa’s neck, pulling the older woman in for a hug. “Thank you, Narcissa. I truly do appreciate all that you have done for me these past few days.”

“It’s no trouble at all, dear. You’re the first out of all the girls that Draco has either dated or is acquainted with that I genuinely like. And many of my high society friends do not provide very stimulating conversation and I get that with you. I hope my son does not do anything else incredibly childish in nature for I would love to call you daughter. Now,” Narcissa stated, pulling back from Ginny. “Why don’t we do what we originally came in here for and see what jewellery you have?”

* * * * * * * * *

“Father?”

“What did you do this time, Draco?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Father,” Draco replied, walking up to stand beside a seated Lucius.

“I think you know exactly what I’m talking about. The only time you ever come to me with a problem is if you’ve truly aggravated your mother.”

“But --”

“No, no. I understand. Your mother tends to be more…rational than me when it comes to the situations you get yourself into.” Lucius turned to face his son. “Now tell me, Draco, what happened?”

“I tried to sneak a peek at Ginny’s dress.”

Lucius furrowed his brows. “I don’t see the trouble with that.”

“Neither do I!” Draco exclaimed. “But Ginny wanted it to be a surprise for me.”

“So why is she upset?”

“Because she thinks that I may not trust her or her judgement.”

“Ah.” Lucius nodded in understanding.

He rose out of the chair behind his desk, beckoning Draco to sit beside him in the two chairs in front.

“I get the impression that Ginny likes you a great deal.”

“Of course she --”

But Lucius cut Draco off with a raised hand. “Just listen, son. I also get the impression that Ginny trusts you more than she probably should, considering our affiliations with certain members of society. Because whether you may acknowledge it or not, she’s practically risking her life just to be with you. You’re lucky that the Dark Lord has yet to request her presence. For he does know that you are dating her, make no mistake of that. So for you to go behind her back for something as superfluous as catching a glimpse of a dress that you’re going to see tonight is incredibly poor form. Not only does it make her question her trust in you, it also causes her to believe that you have little to no trust in her, or her actions. And while I may understand your reasoning behind your actions, for I was the same way with your mother, Ginny doesn’t. Although, knowing your mother like I do, she might have already explained your behaviour to Ginny.”

“So what should I do?”

“I think you need to find Ginny and apologize to her. Now,” Lucius practically commanded, flicking his eyes towards the door.

“Thank you, Father,” Draco replied, leaving the study in search of his girlfriend.

* * * * * * * *

“Gin?” Draco knocked lightly on the door to Ginny’s bedroom, hoping to find her within.

“What do you want?” she responded, her muffled voice low and unfamiliar to Draco’s ears.

“I want to apologize,” Draco said, opening the door slightly, hoping she’d allow him entry.

He heard no protest and walked inside, came to rest at her bedside, sat down near her waist, and reached a hand out to run his fingers through her hair. Her back was to him, and he was unable to detect any sort of emotion from his actions.

“I’m sorry, Gin. Really, I am. What I did was childish, immature, stupid, and any other synonym you can think of. I betrayed your trust for something so insignificant, and I never meant to hurt you. You put so much faith into me, faith that I don’t deserve for all that I have done to you in years previous, and I understand if you can’t forgive me.”

Ginny rolled over, grabbing Draco’s hand, pulling it away from her hair. She began rubbing the top of his hand with the pad of her thumb, staring at him intently.

He hoped what he said conveyed sincerity, and he thought that maybe that’s what she was looking at his face for - any sign of sincerity to let her know that it was okay for her to forgive him.

She stopped rubbing his hand, bringing her hand up to his face, running a hand down his cheek. He grabbed it mid-way, bringing it to lips to press a kiss against her soft palm.

She manoeuvred her hand out of his grasp, slinking it to the back as she grabbed a hold of the hairs at the nape of his neck. She pulled back, causing him to gasp in pain at her sudden movement. She held him there as she spoke. “What you did what unbelievably selfish, not to mention pig-headed. If you ever do something like that again, you will get more than a hair tug as retribution for your childish acts.” She loosened her hold, yanking him down so his face is nose to nose with hers. “But you are forgiven,” she whispered against his lips, smirking as he closed the gap to kiss her.

* * * * * * * *

“I swear, you spend more time in front of the mirror than I do, Draco,” Ginny announced, leaning against the doorframe to Draco’s room. “And I’m a girl, so that’s saying something.”

“Can I help it if I want to make sure that every single girl in that room is envious of you?” Draco replied, picking a bit of lint off of his shoulder.

“That was an impressive double-sided compliment. You complimented not only me, but yourself all in one fell swoop,” Ginny stated, smirking as she walked up to Draco, wrapping her arms around his chest, resting her chin on his shoulder.

Draco smiled at their reflections, kissing the tops of her hands. He turned around, stretching out his arms, holding her at arms’ length. Any words he had died on his lips as he took in the sight of Ginny in her dress, all done up to perfection. His eyes raked her body, going from clear, icy silver to a dark, storm-ridden grey, desire pooling in the pit of his stomach. He licked his lips subconsciously, cursing his mother’s infernal gala.

Ginny’s smirk grew exponentially, knowing full well what ran through Draco’s mind in that moment. She let out a deep, throaty chuckle, causing her boyfriend to growl in frustration. “I take your silence as a sign of approval,” she breathed before Draco pulled her close, grabbing her bottom lip with his teeth with another guttural growl.

Like all of his kisses, it was possessive. Draco used his teeth and tongue to urge her to comply; nipping her bottom lip until it was bee stung and red, running his tongue across both her top and bottom lip, revelling in the breathy little mewls Ginny emitted. Her tongue slinked out to meet his after a while, the two swirling together as she tilted her head to get a better angle. She entwines her fingers into his hair, using them to pull his head closer to hers. His hands roam across the back plane of her body, resting everywhere: her hips, her waist, her shoulders, her head, cupping her bum, and repeated the series over and over again.

Ginny pulled away, albeit reluctantly, resting her forehead on Draco’s. “We really should head downstairs. I’d hate for your mum to come here only to find us doing depraved things on your bed.”

“So you’re saying that you’d want to?” Draco asked, his eyes alight with mischief.

“While I would love to, I did not get dressed up for nothing. You’ll just have to be a good boy and wait until the night is over.”

“You should know by now that I’m never a good boy,” Draco said with a pout.

“Yes, but for tonight, you’ll have to be.”

* * * * * * * *

“Any particular reason for the hold up?” Lucius asked once Draco and Ginny appeared downstairs, him and his wife smirking as they processed Ginny’s swollen lips and Draco’s tousled hair.

Ginny pinked at Lucius’s comment, but remained silent, not wanting to elaborate to her boyfriend’s father the reason behind their late entrance.

Draco opened his mouth to reply, but was silenced by Ginny’s hand over his mouth. “Think before you speak and embarrass the two of us, but most especially me.” She rolled her eyes as she felt Draco grin against her palm, before he bit it, causing Ginny to yelp. “You bit me!”

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” Draco replied, grin still firmly in place.

“Draco Lucius Malfoy!” Narcissa admonished, scandalized, while Lucius looked as though he were having a hard time refraining his laughter. Ginny, on the other hand, had turned beet red, mortified by Draco’s candidness. “Draco, you know better than to speak about such matters in public. Have some propriety.”

“Yes, Mother. I’m sorry for my outburst,” Draco stated, his grin never faltering.

Both Ginny and Narcissa rolled their eyes, annoyed at how not sorry Draco was.

“Very well, Draco. Move along, now. You still have guests to greet,” Lucius intervened, stepping slightly ahead of Narcissa.

Once out of ear shot of his parents, Ginny turned to Draco. “Did you have to make that last comment? The one about biting me?”

“I didn’t find anything wrong with it.”

Ginny lightly slapped Draco’s arm as he led her around the edge of the ballroom. “Yes, but in front of your parents, it’s highly inappropriate. I’d rather your parents not hear about our sex life, thank you very much.”

“As the lady wishes.”

“It better be as the lady wishes, or else you can just forget about later on tonight.”

Draco stopped their circuit, looking at her wide-eyed. “You wouldn’t.”

“Try me,” Ginny challenged, smirking.

“You, woman, are evil. Withholding sex like that, especially considering how good you look right now.”

Ginny leaned in to his ear, her lips brushing up against the shell. “I learned from the best.”

* * * * * * * *

Draco and Ginny continued their tour of the ballroom, stopping every so often to make polite conversation with certain guests, or indulging in a dance or two.

They were just about to sit down for dinner, when a disturbance near the entrance to the ballroom stopped them. The entire room went silent as they listened to Lucius’s pleas.

“My Lord, I did not expect you back so soon from your expedition,” Lucius began, shocked at the sight of an aggravated Voldemort in his home.

“What is this?” the Dark Lord hissed, looking around at all of the party-goers.

“It’s our annual Christmas ball. You gave us permission to hold it since you were to be absent,” Narcissa piped up, stepping next to Lucius, threading her fingers with his for support.

“Yes, well, I have returned from my travels, and I want them gone,” Voldemort commanded, motioning to the guests.

“But, My Lord, you told us --”

“OUT!” he bellowed, causing the guests to run out of the ballroom, the pop of Apparition blending in with the clacking of shoes against the parquet floors. “Where’s Draco? I want to hear any news he has about his mission.” Voldemort scanned the room for any sign of Draco, smirking when he saw him standing stock still near the tables, pleased with who was standing next to him.

“Well done, Draco; well done, indeed,” he announced, gliding over to Draco and Ginny. “How long has this been going on exactly?”

“What do you want?” Ginny spat, much to Draco’s chagrin.

Voldemort turned his head, focusing on Ginny. “Is that little Ginny Weasley? How soon you forget your friends,” he taunted, quickly moving to stand in front of her.

“You were never a friend of mine, Tom.”

“It seems you are behind the times, dearest Ginny. I no longer go by that name.”

“I am well aware of that. But you’ll always be ‘Tom’ to me.”

Voldemort grabbed Ginny’s face in between one of his hands, squeezing her cheeks together as he glared at her. “Impudent girl, you would do well to listen to your new master.” He turned to Draco never letting go of Ginny. “Thank you so much for delivering the Weasley girl to me, Draco. You have done better on this task then I have ever imagined.”

Ginny began fidgeting in Voldemort’s grasp, looking to Draco, eyes imploring him to explain just what the hell was going on. Voldemort sensed Ginny’s questioning glance and continued speaking to Draco. “She doesn’t know?” Draco flinched at the question. The Dark Lord turned back to Ginny, a chilly smile implanting itself on his serpentine features. “Your little boyfriend, here, was commanded by me to date you. You see, Ginny, I need your help in finding Potter. Whether you cooperate or not is not really a choice.” He let go, laughing at the tears brimming in Ginny’s eyes.

“Is it true?” she croaked, hunched over, looking at Draco. “Is it true that you only dated me just so you can give me to him?” Ginny was near hysterical at this point, hitting Draco’s chest with her fists, before dissolving into tears, slumping on the floor at his feet.

Draco refused to say a word. He never wanted Ginny to find out the real reason why he initially asked her out. She meant so much more to him now. Maybe he was on the cusp of loving her.

“Pathetic,” Voldemort hissed. “Take her to the dungeons.”



A/N- Thanks for reading! Please review! =D