On Your Doorstep

papermask

Rating: PG
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Ron & Luna
Book: Ron & Luna, Books 1 - 7
Published: 02/10/2007
Last Updated: 10/10/2007
Status: Completed

When Luna Lovegood shows up on Ron Weasley's doorstep, bruised and tired, how far will Ron go to make things right? (epilogue accuracy, all ships include r/l, h/hr, n/g)

1. Luna at the Door


This story is set 7 years after the epilogue of Deathly Hallows.

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns the rights to all of these characters. I don't. Tada. ^_^
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronald Weasley awoke from a peaceful nap. He sat up from the couch and looked around. Everything was silent and still, which was very unusual for his house. This was Hermione's week with the kids. Hermione and Harry's week with the kids. It had been seven years. Seven years since he and Hermione had filed for divorce. Five years since Hermione's new marriage to Harry, and three years since the birth of their first and only child, Athena. Ron smiled. She was a cute little dear. His smile faded quickly. He missed Hermione. He missed his family. Hugo and Rose weren't the same once they heard of the divorce. Hugo regressed emotionally, while Rose was always inches away from tears. Although they were much better now, they still lacked that certain glint in their eyes that they once had. Harry and Ginny's children hadn't reacted much differently when their parents divorced. Albus Severus stayed angry at his father for years. It was only recently that he had started to want Harry back in his life. Poor Lily barely understood what was happening - just that her Daddy was living with another Mummy. James, however, was taken aback at the most. He seemed to be the only child who wasn't surprised by Harry and Hermione's relationship.

Ron sighed. He wasn't very surprised about the relationship, either. At first it had come as a shock, but once he had time to think it over, Ron finally understood how the pieces all fit. He and Hermione weren't five years into their marriage before she had started to lose control of the feelings she had for Harry. Apparently, Harry had the same problem. The pair never cheated on Ron or Ginny, but it was quite clear who they really wanted to be with. However, being the good hearted people that they were, they stuck it out for the kids. They stuck it out for nineteen years, for goodness sakes. Ron never could understand how much of a sacrifice that was for Hermione. At least, not until she was gone. Ron never missed her more than when he knew he couldn't have her. However, he knew that she and Harry were truly in love. Truth be told, they always had been. They had always known it, but it took them an eternity to recognize it.

After the rage that he felt had died down, Ron had decided that he would be as useful to his two best friends as he could. He helped Hermione and Harry through their emotions, and at this point, it was almost as if the trio was no longer broken. Ginny, however, would not go so easily, and neither would Mrs. Weasley. They both were rather vicious during the time of divorce, and at one point denied Harry and Hermione entrance to the Burrow. However, Ginny eventually calmed down and convinced her mother that there was nothing that would change the situation. Although this happened many years ago, and they had once again been welcomed into the Burrow, Mrs. Weasley had since spoken in a slightly cold tone towards Harry and Hermione. Ginny, however, was currently on her honeymoon with her new husband Neville Longbottom. He was great with the children, and to be perfectly honest, Ron was happy for them. Neville and Ginny, Hermione and Harry. Yep, Ron was happy for them all. But, where did that leave him? It was at this point that Ron heard a small knocking on his front door. Ron, slightly confused, went to the door. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw.

There, leaning on the door post, was a messy haired, unbalanced Luna Lovegood. She held her head down, her blonde hair tumbling over her face. She seemed to be supporting herself on her left foot and the door post. The sleeve of her robes was torn, and she was holding her wand in her free hand, which was shaking.

"Luna?!", Ron whispered. She looked up at him with a flimsy smile. Ron took a small gasp as he saw the black and purple bruise around her eye.

"Luna, what happened? Who did this to you?", Ron almost yelled.

"Ronald, may I please come inside?", Luna asked timidly. Ron blinked a couple of times before he answered.

"Of course, Luna. Here, let me help you," Ron said kindly. He wrapped Luna's arm around his neck and helped her limp into his living room. He sat her down on his couch and propped up her right foot, which was very swollen. After he helped her adjust to comfort, Ron looked back up at Luna, wincing slightly at her bruised eye.

"Luna...what happened?", Ron asked, bewildered. Luna let out a small sigh.

"Well...you remember my ex-husband, Rolf Scamander? The naturalist that I used to work with?", Luna questioned. Ron simply nodded his head.

"Well, you see, he was at our...my flat to pick up the last of his things, and, well, we got into a fight. A pretty bad fight, actually. He ended up disarming me and casting a body bind. Then he...well...he sort of beat me up. Actually, he rather did a good job of beating me up. You can sort of see that from my eye. Anyway, when he removed the body bind I tried to run for my wand and he tripped me, and I think I might have sprained my ankle. Then he cursed at me and left. And...and...well, I didn't know what to do. I mean, I don't really know many people near my flat, and the ones I do know sort of think me a bit loony, and I didn't know where else to go...," Luna said while small tears formed in her eyes. Ron just stared at her, as if this wasn't making sense to him. Rolf had ruffed up Luna? He had hurt her? He had beaten her? Ron suddenly felt sick to his stomach.

"Luna, I am so sorry. You're...well, you're perfectly welcome here. Is there anything I can do for you? Tea, water, anything?", Ron said, surprising himself by his readiness to help.

"Well...some tea sounds nice," Luna replied softly. Ron got up and walked into the kitchen. He still couldn't believe that Rolf Scamander, the man who supposedly loved Luna for her quirks and naturalistic insight had beaten her. How many times had this happened before? Ron put the tea kettle on and walked back into the living room. He wasn't sure what to do. He was going to need help with this one. He could only think of two people that could help.

"Luna," Ron said gently, "Just wait here. I'm going to be right back, I promise." Luna simply smiled and nodded her head. Ron smiled back. She looked like she felt...safe. How long had it been before she felt that way? Ron shook the thought out of his head and stepped up to the fire place, grabbing some floo powder.

"Potter Manor!", Ron shouted, and with a puff of smoke, he was gone.

-->

2. Harry and Hermione Get Involved


Ron appeared in the fire place of Potter Manor, where Harry and Hermione lived. Facing the fire place was the living room. Hermione was laying on Harry's lap on the couch, lazily sleeping. Atehna was sleeping on Hermione's chest. Harry looked up from the book he was reading to see Ron.

"Hey Ron," Harry said happily, "What's going on?"

"Hey Harry. Look, you might want to wake up Hermione for this one," Ron said softly. A stern look passed through Harry's face, recognizing that something was wrong.

"Hermione, love, wake up," Harry coaxed gently.

"No...must study for NEWTS...," Hermione mumbled form her sleep. Ron rolled his eyes. That girl was mental, he swore it. Harry laughed lightly at Ron's expression, then turned back to Hermione.

"Hermione, you're not in Hogwarts anymore. Wake up," Harry said in a louder tone. This roused Hermione from her studious sleep.

"Hmm? What? What's going on? Oh, hello Ron! How are you?", Hermione said while trying to flatten down her fluffy hair. Harry smiled at the feeble attempt. Hermione sat up and picked up Athena and sat her on her lap.

"Well, Hermione, Harry, something's sort of...wrong," Ron said slowly. Immediately an expression of concern covered both Harry and Hermione's faces.

"Ron, what happened? Is everyone okay?", Hermione asked with genuine care.

"Yes everyone's fine...well, no, not really...I mean everyone except for one," Ron replied.

"Who's hurt?", Harry asked.

"Well...Luna," Ron said. Hermione and Harry looked at each other with confused expressions.

"Luna? As in Luna Lovegood?", Harry asked. Ron simply nodded his head.

"What happened to her?", Hermione questioned.

"Well...," Ron replied, "It's sort of a long story, but what happened was that her ex-husband, Rolf Scamander came by her flat to pick up some of his stuff, and they ended up having a fight. Well, a pretty big fight, apparently, and he started to...hurt her," Ron said slowly. Harry immediately looked angry, while Hermione seemed to be more worried by the second.

"What did he do to her?", Harry asked sharply. Hermione stared at Ron with wide eyes.

"He...well...he kind of cast a body bind on her, then gave her a black eye and tripped her, which cause her to sprain her ankle," Ron replied weakly.

"WHAT?", Harry and Hermione replied together. Ron winced slightly at how loud their voices were.

"I know, I feel horrible for her. She said she didn't have anywhere else to go, so she came to my house," Ron added, "And I was hoping you two could help me...well, help me help her," Ron finished. Harry and Hermione both nodded.

"James!", Harry called. Ron heard James's voice from upstairs.

"Will you watch Lily, Albus Severus, Rose, and Hugo please? Hermione and I will be right back!" Hary yelled in one, long breath.

"Sure thing!", James called back. Hermione picked up Athena and she and Harry headed for the fire place with Ron. Harry grabbed some floo powder and stated their destination - Ron's home.

The trio and Athena came bursting out of the fire place. Hermione coughed lightly from the smoke. Ron pointed to the couch. It was empty.

"I don't understand, she was right here...," Ron explained as Harry and Hermione looked around at the empty living room. Suddenly, they heard a dreamy voice come from the kitchen.

"Ron, is that you?", Luna asked. The trio released a sigh of relief.

"Yes, Luna, it's me. I brought Harry and Hermione to...erm...help," Ron replied, "What are you doing up?"

Luna came limping out of the kitchen with a small cup in one hand. She smiled warmly at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"The tea went off, and I couldn't very well leave it, coudl I?", Luna said sweetly, "Do you guys want any tea?"

"No thank you, Luna," Hermione replied, "Here, come back and lay down. Let me help you."

Hermione handed Athena to Harry while Hermione walked over to Luna, who was balanced on her left foot. She helped her limp to the couch. Ron and Harry sat in the chairs across from the couch, while Hermione sat next to Luna to help her prop up her right foot. Harry sat Athena on his lap. There was a slightly awkward silence, then Hermione's voice came through.

"So Luna...Ron tells us that you were...well...that someone hurt you?", Hermione said, a little uncomfortably. Luna looked at Hermione with a small, termbling smile. Ron started to feel sick again.

"Well...yes. My ex-husband, to be exact. Rolf. I assume Ron told you what happened?", Luna questioned. Harry and Hermione nodded.

"Then, yes, he hurt me. This was his handywork", Luna said while pointint to her eye. Hermione's face softened.

"Ron, why don't you get Luna some ice for her eye?", Hermione asked. Ron nodded his head and walked towards the kitchen. Although he feelt horrible for Luna, he was glad that Hermione and Harry where there to help him. Truth be told, he wasn't very sure what to do at all. He hadn't even thought of getting ice. After Ron filled a small plastic bag with some ice, he walked back out to the living room, where Hermione and Luna seemed to be intensely talking while Harry watched from his chair. Ron handed Luna the bag of ice.

"Thank you so much, Ronald," she said dreamily. Ron's face turned a light shade of pink.

"I have to say, Hermione, Harry, Athena looks so lovely. She seems like a very happy baby," Luna said. Hermione smiled and thanked Luna. Harry bounced Athena on his knee. She smiled brightly at Luna. Luna turned back to Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

"I've pretty much gotten everything figured out now. I mean, while you were gone, Ronald, I had a little bit of time to think things over. The only problem is that I don't exactly have anywhere to go. I mean...I suppose I could pop over to a hotel, but I'd have to get back to my flat and get some money, but to be perfectly honest, I really don't want to run into Rolf again...what do you guys think?", Luna asked genuinely. Ron suddenly felt a compulsion.

"Stay with me!", Ron practically shouted. He turned a deep shade of red. Athena laughed.

"I mean...you're welcome to stay with me, Luna," Ron added hastily. Why did he do that? What caused that compulsion? Ron was confused. Luna smiled dreamily.

"Well...I don't want to impose...," Luna said. Ron shook his head.

"You wouldn't be. I'd..erm..I'd be happy to let you stay for a few days. Besides, Harry and Hermione have all the kids this week, so you would have much more space here," Ron said. He was surprised at his will to help Luna. They had always gotten along, but they had never been the best of friends. Why was he acting this way?

"Well...as long as you're sure it's okay," Luna said. Ron nodded his head. Luna smiled.

"Well, thank you so very much, Ronald! Plus, I can help you get rid of any nargles that might be lurking around!", Luna said cheerily. Ron smiled and sighed. This was going to be a long couple of days.

-->

3. Getting To Sleep


A short chapter this time.

------------------------------------

Ron had trouble sleeping that night. His mind was racing with the events of that day. Why would Luna's ex-husband go to such extreme lengths to hurt her? Why did she come to Ron's house when she knew where Harry and Hermione lived? Would she have gone to Ginny's house if Ginny wasn't on her honeymoon? Did she want him? Did she need him? Memories of seventh year came flooding back into Ron's mind. 'I love her like a sister, Ron!' Harry had said. Well, so much for that. Who would need Ron, anyway? Not when they could have Harry Potter, the boy who lived. Or maybe Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of her age. What made Ron so special? Why on earth had Luna come to him? Ron turned over on his side, and eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

Three rooms down the hall, Luna lied awake in the guest bedroom. She was having some trouble sleeping as well. She had had a very long day. Today wasn't the first time that Rolf Scamander had hurt her, but it was by far the worst beating that she had received from him. She was just glad to be away from him. She was glad she had come to Ron. She knew she would be safe here, if even for a moment. But no, he had welcomed her to stay for days! Luna was so thankful, so appreciative; she couldn't put it into words. She had always trusted Ronald, from the very first moment that she met him; she knew he was good, even if it was hard for others to see. Luna rolled over on her side.

Although she adored them very much, Luna was glad that she didn't go to Harry and Hermione's house. It would have been much harder for her to relax there. Hermione would fuss over her too much; Harry would probably go into overprotective brother mode. Although, she assumed that's why they loved each other. Luna had always known that Harry and Hermione would end up together. They were so incredibly perfect for each other. That's what confused Luna so much when Harry ended up with Ginny, and Hermione with Ron. The pieces simply didn't fit, even someone as 'loony' as Luna could see that. She was even further surprised once the couples married and had children. Luna knew that it wouldn't work out. Ron and Hermione were simply too different. Some people thought that because they bickered, the whole "opposites attract" idea would kick in, but most people failed to see that they were in fights. Sure, people in relationships have their differences, but they certainly don't spend all of their time simply fighting over every little detail of their lives. As for Harry and Ginny, Luna was just as shocked at their relationship. Ginny had never known the real Harry. Granted, neither had Luna, but she recognized that. Ginny had built Harry up to be a hero, when all he wanted was peace. Even Luna could see that. Luna imagined that Harry was only attracted to Ginny because of her pretty face and frame. It certainly would take the stress of saving the world off your shoulders to have a quick snog. But an actual, meaningful relationship? No, love simply doesn't work that way. Besides, Luna had always secretly thought that Hermione was prettier than Ginny. Obviously, it took Harry a while to see that, but Luna was just happy that they had found their paths to each other. Plus, now Ginny had found true love with someone that she understood fully - Neville. Luna was so pleased when Ginny finally saw what kind of love Neville held for her. Luna had never really understood why people thought she and Neville were an item. Sure, they were good friends, but Luna usually found that she was too...well, 'out there' for Neville. He needed someone who was more down to earth yet adventurous enough to motivate him. Luna happily saw that he found that in Ginny. So, yes, Luna was truly happy for how things had turned out for her friends. Luna sighed. Friends. She didn't get to say that words very often, but she had some of the greatest friends that she could ever ask for. Plus, they were all happy, and Luna couldn't ask for more for them. Well, almost all of them were happy. Luna sighed again.

Ronald Weasley. Goodness, what could Luna say about Ronald? Maybe that she loved him. Or that she had always respected and adored him. She never thought that the feelings she had for Ron back at Hogwarts would progress into...well, love. Luna knew that now, of course. Luna desperately wished he would notice her. However, she didn't want to push it. Their relationship was finally growing, and she wouldn't threaten that for anything. She still couldn't believe he let her stay. Even if it was just for a few days, it was like magic. Luna smiled at the small joke she had made. Luna remembered a phrase that she had heard once in her past that had always stuck with her. 'When God closes a door, He opens a window'. Luna never fully understood what that meant until now. Luna smiled again. Luna drifted off to sleep while softly humming her favorite song. 'Weasley is my king...'.

-->

4. To Spend The Day With Luna


Ron awoke to a very attractive aroma. What was that? Whatever it was, it smelled delicious. Ron's stomach growled and he sat up. What time was it anyway? Ron looked at the grandfather clock near his bedroom door. Seven thirty. Although it was a reasonable hour, Ron could easily have slept for three more hours. Ron sighed. Maybe getting up a little earlier wouldn't hurt...today. Ron got out of bed and pulled on some jeans and a Chudley Canons t-shirt. He stepped out of his room and followed the lovely scent downstairs.

Ron walked into the kitchen only to find Luna facing the stove while humming softly. She had her long, golden hair in two braids. She turned around to face Ron. She was wearing the same clothes as yesterday, only with Ron's white apron over them. Where on earth did she find that? Ron had been looking for that apron for a month.

"Good morning, Ronald! Would you like some breakfast?", Luna asked cheerily. Ron stared at her for a few seconds, then glanced towards the ground. She was standing on her right foot today. Unable to form a complete sentence, Ron simply pointed to her foot and let out a sort of grunt.

"Oh, that," Luna replied, "I made a pepper-up potion earlier this morning. I hope you don't mind that I used some of your ingredients."

"Erm..No, not at all," Ron said once he found his voice. He looked over Luna's shoulder to see two pieces of bread in a frying pan with a sunny side up egg in the center of the bread. Ron's mouth started to water. How come he had never had the idea to make this? He had passed Hogwarts classes, helped to defeat Voldemort, and not once did he ever have the idea to put two of the best breakfast materials together. What was the world coming to? Luna followed his gaze.

"Ah, you noticed today's breakfast! Before my mum died, she used to make these a lot. We called them eggies in a basket. Would you like one?", Luna offered. Ron nodded his head.

"Accio plates!", Luna said in an unusual sharp tone. Two plates came from the kitchen cabinets and presented themselves in front of Luna. She put one slice of bread on a plate and handed it to Ron.

"I was starting to wonder why you weren't using magic", Ron said. Luna smiled dreamily.

"Well, I try not to use magic all of the time. I don't want to become entirely dependant on it, even if this is a...well, magical world," Luna replied. Ron, who was in the middle of pointing his wand to summon the butter, froze. He put his wand down and grabbed the butter with a small laugh. Luna just giggled in response. She looked much better. The pepper up potion had really seemed to have helped her. Her eye was no longer dark or swollen, and she was perfectly balanced. Ron looked down towards his plate and smiled. She was getting better. He had actually helped her.

"So, I was wondering, Ron, what are your plans for today?", Luna asked. Ron looked up from his plate.

"Erm...I don't know. I didn't really have anything planned. What did you have in mind?", Ron replied. Luna turned a light shade of pink.

"Well...I really hate to be a bother, but if I'm going to stay here, I'm going to need some clothes. So, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind coming with me to my flat to pick up some stuff? I promise it won't be for long," Luna said rather quickly. Ron nodded his head.

"I don't mind. I mean...well, I'd hate for you to run into Rolf again...especially alone. We can go when you've finished your...what did you call it? An eggy in a basket?", Ron questioned. He too turned a light shade of pink. Luna smiled and nodded her head.

"Thank you, Ronald."

About fifteen minutes later, Luna and Ron apparated into Luna's flat. It was clear that a fight had gone on. Furniture was turned over, there was broken glass on the floor, and Ron was pretty sure that he saw some spoons and forks that looked like they had been thrown. There were also burnt markings on the walls. It looked like hexes that had missed their intentional target.

"I'll only be a second, Ronald. Oh, and I'm sorry about the mess. I didn't really think about cleaning up," Luna said apologetically. She then turned on her heel and walked to what must have been her room.

"Oh, don't worry about the mess!", Ron called, "I mean...not that it's a bad mess or anything...That's to say...I mean...well, you were in a fight and all."

Luna popped her head from around the corner.

"Ronald, relax," Luna said. She gave Ron a quick smile and disappeared around the corner again. Ron just sighed. He really was feeling spastic. He just needed to relax, just like Luna said. After a few minutes, Luna came back around the corner with a small suitcase in her hands.

"I'm ready," Luna said dreamily. Ron smiled and Luna came up to him and grabbed his hand. Ron immediately turned a deep shade of red. This went unnoticed by Luna who simply apparated back to Ron's home.

That afternoon was spent with games of chess and casual talks. Ron was surprised at how comfortable he had become with Luna around, even when he was blushing or fumbling with his words. She seemed to be all understanding. It was refreshing to Ron. He had forgotten how he didn't have to put on a show in front of her. She didn't expect anything from Ron, so he could just be himself. Ron also enjoyed her far-fetched stories of nargles or some other creature that probably didn't exist. Luna had also brought a copy of The Quibbler with her. She and Ron spent much of the afternoon looking through it and debating which story was true or false. The hours passed, and neither Ron nor Luna noticed until Harry suddenly popped through the fireplace with a puff of smoke.

"Hello Harry!", Luna said happily. Ron, who had been sitting rather close to Luna, scooted back a bit, his face flushed with color. Harry only smiled at him.

"Hello, Ron, Luna. Sorry to sort of burst in on you, but Hermione, the children, and I were going to go out to dinner, and we wondered if you two would like to join us?", Harry questioned. Ron smiled. It was time for food again, wasn't it?

"I'm game," Ron said. Luna had a dreamy look on her face. She nodded cheerfully.

"Id love to join you guys. Just let me change. I've been in these clothes for too long," Luna replied. Harry and Ron nodded their heads and Luna bounced up the stairs.

"Well, I take it she's feeling better. She looks like she does, anyway," Harry said. Ron nodded in agreement.

"She took a Pepper-Up Potion. We went to her flat today so she could pick up some clothes. I have to tell you, mate, whatever they fought about, it was a real fight. The place was a wreck," Ron said. Harry sighed.

"Poor girl. Well, she's safe now," Harry added. Ron nodded his head. They waited in silence for a few minutes before Luna came back down the stairs. She was wearing a light blue sun dress with navy and white striped stockings. She had her long hair down, which was wavy from the braids she was previously wearing. She had put on a light coat of makeup. Ron thought she looked amazing.

"Ready you two?", Harry asked. Luna smiled and nodded her head, and Ron stopped staring at Luna for a moment to nod his head. Harry, Ron, and Luna approached the fire place while Harry grabbed some floo powder.

"Potter Manor!", Harry shouted, and with a puff of smoke, they were off.

-->

5. A Dinner Date?


Harry, Luna, and Ron appeared at Potter Manor. They were met by Hermione who was dressed in a casual pale pink dress. She was trying to tame the small amount of Athena's black, curly hair.

"Honestly, Harry, we should have known that our kids would have unruly hair," Hermione said while holding two hairpins in her mouth. Harry laughed. Everyone watched Hermione as she tried to flatten Athena's hair. Athena let out a small laugh.

"Oh, you think that's funny, do you?” Harry said playfully. He started to lightly tickle Athena's sides, which only made her laugh and squirm around more.

"Harry, love, please, I can't fix her hair when she's moving-", Hermione was cut off by a small explosion of hairpins flying from Athena's hair. Hermione let out an exasperated sigh and simply fell backwards onto the couch while Harry picked up Athena. Luna and Ron found this whole scene extremely funny. Ron was doubled over in laughter.

"Ron?” Luna let out in between laughs. Ron nodded his head, signaling her to continue. He continued to laugh.

"If we had children, what do you suppose they would look like?” Luna asked with a dreamy smile on her face. Ron's eyes widened and he began to choke on his laughter. Now it was Hermione's turn to crack up.

"Why yes, Ron, what would your children look like?” Hermione said playfully. Ron was able to stop his choking, but was now faced with three expectant faces.

"Erm...they would...uh...be...small?” Ron said pathetically. Harry and Hermione started laughing wildly. Even Athena was letting out little giggles. Luna turned to an embarrassed Ron and put her hand on his arm while smiling. Even though he knew that Harry and Hermione weren't intentionally trying to hurt him, Luna's touch brought Ron more comfort than he had felt in a long time. Finally, the laughter died down.

"Where are the children, anyway?” Ron said, changing the subject. It was at this moment that Luna started to feel very nervous. She had only met James and Rose. Would they even remember her? Would they still call her-

"Aunt Luna!"

Rose's small voice broke through Luna's thoughts, and suddenly she jumped up to hug Luna. Luna looked slightly surprised at first, but then hugged her back. It seemed like it was an eternity since she had seen the children. The rest of the kids were coming down the stairs.

"I knew it!", James stated loudly, "I knew dad was going to fetch Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna!"

Ron blushed slightly when he heard James speak. 'Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna'. It did have a nice ring to it, didn't it? Ron shook himself out of his thoughts to greet his children.

"Rosie, Hugo, come give me a hug," Ron said happily. The two kids ran over to their father and hugged him tightly. Harry and Hermione shared a knowing look while they waited for the children to greet Ron and Luna. Hermione was sure that she heard Albus Severus mention something about a nargle. She only smiled. Harry knew that he would have to break up the little reunion if they were ever going to be in time for their reservations.

"Alright everybody, we can talk more at the restaurant," Harry yelled above the chaos. All the children circled around Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna. Hermione took Athena from Harry so he could give out directions to the children.

"Okay, everyone hold hands, and make sure that either you or the person your holding hands with has the hand of an adult!", Harry stated. Luna felt two small hands grasp hers, and looked down to see Lily and Rose on either one of her hands. She smiled her dreamy smile and looked towards Hermione, who simply smiled back. Once everyone was connected, they all apparated to the restaurant, La Petite Fleur.

During the course of dinner, Luna talked animatedly with the kids. They all flocked to her like a group of sea gulls. She talked to them about nargles, crumpled hornbacks, and thestrals. Although, she held back a bit about the thestrals when she saw Hermione bite her lip when James had brought them up. Other than that, however, Luna was quite talkative. She kept the children captivated with her dreamy voice and expressions throughout the entire dinner. Ron was amazed at how quickly the children took to her. He found himself loving the way that she interacted with them. She had acted the same way around him when they were at Hogwarts. Ron didn't know up until recently how much he had really missed Luna. She made the world seem brighter and more interesting. Ron felt closer to Luna than he had in a very long time.

At the end of the night, the younger children, mainly Lily, Hugo, and Athena were half asleep. Everyone helped to keep them awake long enough to apparate home. Once there, Harry and Hermione bid Ron and Luna goodnight, and went up the stairs to get all of the children into bed and asleep. Ron stepped towards the fireplace and grabbed some flew powder. He froze for a second, and then, with all the courage he could muster, turned around and offered his hand to Luna. She smiled and took it without much thought. Ron felt his face go slightly pink while butterflies flew in his stomach. Luna, on the other hand, was rather comfortable. Ron threw the floo powder into the fire place and called out their destination.

A second later, Ron and Luna were back at Ron's house. Luna stretched up her arms and yawned.

"Well, Ron, I'm off to bed. Well, I have to check my hair for nargles, and then I'm off to bed. Oh, would you like me to check your hair as well?", Luna asked Ron excitedly. Ron held back his laughter and simply shook his head. Luna nodded and turned to go upstairs. Ron took a breath.

"Luna, wait!", Ron called. Luna turned around on the stairs.

"Yes, Ronald?", She called. Ron took another deep breath.

"Luna, since we had such a fun time tonight, I...um... well, I was wondering if tomorrow you wanted to maybe go to the shops with me, and maybe have lunch somewhere?", Ron asked. There was a slight pause. Why wasn't she answering? Had he offended her? What did he say? A million thoughts were running through his head, but then Luna's voice broke in.

"Oh, Ronald, that sounds lovely!", Luna said with genuine enthusiasm. Ron smiled.

"Okay, well...see you tomorrow then. Goodnight, Luna!", Ron called.

"Goodnight, Ronald," He heard her say softly. Ron smiled.

-->

6. Off to the Shops


This is basically a filler chapter.

----------------------------------------------------

Goodnight indeed. Ron surprised himself and slept rather soundly. He had expected to be up all night with excitement. Ron woke up around ten o'clock the next day. To his surprise, Ron once again smelled a delicious aroma. He got out of bed, pulled on some clothes, and trotted downstairs. He found Luna in the kitchen, eating an eggy in a basket and re-reading the copy of The Quibbler that she had brought with her. She looked up and smiled at Ron. She was wearing lavender pajamas with small white clouds scattered on them. Ron couldn't help but find them cute.

"Good morning, Ronald!" Luna said cheerfully. Ron smiled back at her.

"You know, you don't have to make breakfast everyday," Ron said a little too quickly. His face immediately turned pink.

"Not that it's not good or anything, I mean, you're a great cook...what I meant was-" Ron was cut off by Luna.

"It's alright Ronald, I understand what you meant. Please don't worry about it. It's the least I could do for you, after taking me in and all," Luna said happily, "Here, sit down and eat."

Ron sat down across from Luna and looked at the table. On one plate was an eggy in a basket, but on the other was a strange food that Ron had never seen before. It was rolled up into a point and was standing straight up on the plate. Luna noticed Ron's unsure look and smiled.

"It's called a Rocket Dosa. I wasn't sure if you wanted the same breakfast as yesterday or if you wanted something new, so I made both", Luna said cheerily. Ron tilted his head and his mouth was slightly open. She made both? As in, more food? This girl was amazing! Luna giggled slightly at Ron's expression. He shook his head slightly.

"Luna, thank you so much! These both look delicious," Ron said, "Although, I have to know - what is a dosa, exactly?"

Luna suddenly took on a Hermione-ish look and explained to Ron that a dosa was basically an Indian pancake. Ron smiled and dug into his breakfast. Luna just smiled dreamily once more. They sat in silence for a few moments, Ron eating and Luna reading The Quibbler. After a while, Luna broke the silence.

"So, Ronald, where do you want to go today?"

"I was thinking we could just walk around the shops and maybe have some lunch there later on today," Ron replied. Luna smiled and nodded her head.

"I think that sounds lovely!” Luna said, "I'm going to go upstairs and change."

Ron nodded his head and continued to finish his breakfast. A few minutes later, Luna came downstairs wearing a loose, purple shirt with a dark navy skirt. She had on a lime green headband and black leggings with shiny, silver stars. She reached up and tucked her wand behind her ear as her hair flowed freely behind her. She definitely looked unique.

"Are you ready to go", Luna asked kindly. Ron smiled and nodded his head. Maybe it would be nice to have a little something unique among the mundane. At least, for today. Ron and Luna headed out the front door. After walking for a few minutes, they arrived at the small town center.

"What kind of stores do they have here, Ronald?” Luna asked while she looked at all the different shops that lined both sides of the street.

"Well, they have just about everything here, I suppose. Over there is a grocery mart, there's an old bookstore there, over here is where the restaurants are, and this whole place is sprinkled with clothing stores, so really, it's your pick," Ron replied.

"Oh, Ronald, that's very sweet of you," Luna said. She grabbed Ron's hand (much to his surprise) and walked over to small shop on the corner.

"Hmm, 'Notions, Lotions, and Potions'. This sounds interesting. Would you like to go in here?” Luna asked while looking through the store front window.

"Sure," Ron replied. As they walked through the store front door, a small bell rang. Luna let go of Ron's hand, and he immediately missed it. Luna looked straight up, then at Ron, and smiled widely. She turned and walked out of the store, only to stop and come back in. What was she doing? Luna did this a few more times before it finally struck Ron. The bell above the door. Every time Luna walked in or out, the bell let out a small ring. Luna was actually entertaining herself with a bell. Ron started to laugh. It was quite a sight for the other customers in the shop. A short witch with glasses and frizzy, gray hair came up to Luna and Ron.

"Miss...Miss...Please stop that. I think you're frightening the customers, or at least confusing them," she said. Luna looked at her and nodded her head. As the short witch turned around and began to walk away, Luna pushed the door open once more. As the bell rung once again, the short witch looked around at Luna with a very pointed look. Ron cracked up even more. Luna grabbed his hand once more, and they left the shop, as they were clearly not wanted. After a couple of seconds, Ron finally caught his breath.

"Luna, that was possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time," He said. Luna beamed at him.

"Can we go into this bookstore?” Luna asked sweetly. Ron's smile faded a little bit at the thought of a bookstore, but he nodded anyway. They walked inside. Thankfully, there was no bell. The inside of the shop was very different than the outside. Outside, the paint was a pale cream color and the sun was bright. The inside, however, was poorly lit and rather dusty. Ron wasn't sure what they would find in here, but he decided to leave that to Luna. At the moment, she was looking over some books about old magic and traditions - something that Ron was surprised to see her interested in. It was then that Luna almost dropped the books when she saw another one on the shelf. She carefully put the others back and grabbed the new book. Unlike the others, which were covered in dust and seemed to have been around for ages, this book was dust free and pure white. This caught Ron's attention. He leaned over Luna's shoulder and was surprised at what he saw. It was a Bible.

"I never pegged you as the religious type, Luna," Ron said. Luna shrugged her shoulders.

"I'm not exactly. I just think it's nice to have something to believe in," She replied. Ron smiled. Although he had never been particularly religious, he very much liked that sentiment. He might even put it to use one day. Luna went up to the counter to purchase the book. Once they were ready, Ron and Luna left the bookstore. They clasped hands.

-->

7. The Last of Rolf Scamander


There's a fight scene in this chapter, and I'm totally horrible with fight scenes, so if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism, please feel free to tell me. I appreciate it!

"Would you like to go for lunch, Luna?” Ron asked. Luna smiled and nodded her head.

"I am feeling hungry. Which one of these restaurants is your favorite?” Luna asked. Ron crinkled his nose as he thought. Luna found this absolutely adorable and let out a small giggle.

"Well, I do like this one over here. They have the best fish and chips," Ron stated.

"Alright, then we'll eat there," Luna said and smiled up at Ron. They walked, hand in hand, towards the chic little restaurant. Once they had been seated and placed their orders, Luna and Ron began to talk. They chatted about old memories from Hogwarts, creatures that may or may not exist, how family members were, and another wide range of topics. Ron found himself feeling happier than he had felt in the past few months. He loved Luna's outlook on life. Through her eyes, everything was so interesting and amazing. Simple items became unique, boring topics became fascinating. Nothing ever was old or unhappy - Luna always tried to look to the lighter side of life, and Ron adored her for it. Luna was also feeling happy. Nobody had ever seemed to hold such respect or kindness towards her. She felt that her opinions and ideas weren't looked down upon because they were unusual. Ron seemed to be genuinely interested in what she thought and what she had to say. She felt like she was appreciated, cared for, even loved.

After lunch, Ron and Luna began to walk back to Ron's home. Ron took a chance and clasped Luna's hand. Luna responded by leaning her head on his shoulder. Ron felt his face go red, but he didn't care. He had Luna, and she had him, and life had never been sweeter.

Once Ron and Luna reached Ron's house, he started to open the door, but an interjection from Luna caught him off guard.

"Oh, you know, I bet I have a load of mail at my flat, what with me not being there for the past few days. Would you mind if I popped over there for a few minutes?” Luna asked.

"Of course not. Would you like me to come with you?” Ron questioned. Luna shook her head.

"No, I'll be fine. I have to get used to going back there alone at some point. But thank you, Ronald," Luna said sweetly. Then, Luna surprised Ron and gave him a peck on the cheek, and with that, apparated to her flat. Ron smiled and went inside.

Luna appeared in her living room. Not exactly where she had planned to appear, but she could easily walk to the mail box. It was then that Luna felt an extremely sharp pain shoot through her back. She almost fell down, but caught herself. She spun around, wand in hand, only to be face-to-face with Rolf Scamander, whose wand was in her face.

"Rolf? What are you doing here?!” Luna shouted. Rolf smelt of alcohol. He smiled crookedly at Luna.

"Why, just waiting up for you, love. Tell me - where have you been?” Rolf said as he stepped closer to Luna. His wand was almost touching her nose.

"You stay away from me!” Luna shouted.

"Now, now, that's no way to treat your husband," Rolf began.

"Ex-husband, Rolf. I'm not married to you, I haven't been for months. Clearly I made the right decision," Luna shouted. Rolf's face contorted with anger.

"Expelliarmus!” Rolf yelled. Luna's wand flew out of her hand and into Rolf's. Luna took a step backwards.

"What now, Looney Luna? What defense do you have now? Don't spew anything about wandless magic, we both know you're not talented enough!” Rolf shouted. Luna's breaths were coming quickly, and her heart was going a thousand beats a second. She quickly turned to run towards the front door. She was halfway there when she heard Rolf cast a body bind. Luna fell to the floor.


Ron was beginning to get worried. It didn't take this long to check for the post. Should he apparate to Luna's apartment? He didn't want her to get the wrong idea...but what if Rolf was there? Ron sat up. Even if he was being paranoid, he was going over there. With a small pop, Ron was gone.

Ron appeared in Luna's living room. Things didn't look much different. The place was still a wreck. It was then that Ron heard sobbing from the corner. He turned around only to find Luna crumpled up against the wall, her head on her knees. She was sobbing.

"Luna!” Ron shouted. He ran over to her. She looked up at him. Her cheek was swollen and dark. Ron felt anger strike through his veins.

"Where is he?” Ron asked. Luna simply pointed towards the door. Ron turned around and ran outside. Rolf was walking down the stairs towards the first level. Ron pointed his wand.

"STUPEFY!” Ron shouted. Rolf's back went straight, and then he began to fall down the rest of the steps. Ron ran after him. Once on the ground, Ron ran up to Rolf's side and kicked him in the stomach. Rolf let out a loud, painful scream.

"You like to beat up innocent people, do you?!” Ron shouted. He kicked Rolf in the nose. Blood began to poor all over the ground. Ron lowered himself down to Rolf's ear.

"You leave Luna Lovegood alone. I don't want to see you or hear from you ever again," Ron whispered darkly. He then straightened up and spit at Rolf. Ron ran back up the stairs to Luna's flat. He hugged Luna in his arms and apparated back to his house. Rolf Scamander left England that day. He never returned.

-->

8. The Moment


It was late.

Ron and Luna appeared back at Ron's house. Luna was holding onto Ron's side and sobbing into his shoulder. Ron ran his hand over her golden hair. Rage still flowed through his body. At least he knew that this was the last time he would have to see bruises on Luna's body. He would take care of her, no matter how long it took, he would make her better. Luna sniffed and looked up at Ron.

"Oh Ronald, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have gone over there. I'm just stupid. I'm so sorry," Luna cried. Ron held her head in his hands, tears streaming down her face.

"You're not stupid, Luna. You have nothing to apologize for. That bastard is the one who needs to be sorry, and believe me, he is, I made sure of that. He'll never hurt you again," Ron said. Luna began to wipe the tears away from her eyes.

"Thank you, Ronald," Luna whispered. Ron kissed her forehead and helped her to her feet. They walked over to the couch, where Ron helped Luna get comfortable.

"I'm going to make you a Pepper Up Potion," Ron said. Luna smiled and nodded her head. Ron went into the kitchen and grabbed the proper ingredients. He couldn't believe he let this happen again. He never should have let her go alone. Ron mixed up the potion and walked back out into the living room. Luna was hugging a pillow. She had stopped crying, but she still sniffed every few seconds. Ron brought her the potion. Luna thanked Ron and drank. Ron watched as the bruises slowly faded from her face. Much better. Ron felt Luna lay her head on his shoulder. This time, his face didn't turn pink. He wrapped his arms around her. They sat in silence for a few minutes, just being comforted by each other's company. Luna suddenly spoke.

"Did I ever tell you what Rolf and I were fighting about? I mean, the first time," Luna asked. Ron shook his head.

"He...He kept calling me crazy. He told me that I lived in a fantasy, that my whole world was one big joke. At first, it just sounded like everything else that other people have told me. That's when it hit me. I've heard stuff like that all my life. It got to the point where I started to believe it. Ronald...Do....Do you think I'm crazy?” Luna asked, while tears started to fall down her face once more. Ron looked at her and wiped her tears from her face.

"You're just as sane as I am," Ron said. Luna laughed lightly. Then, she kissed him. Not a peck on the cheek, or a light touch on the forehead, but a full, love-filled kiss on the lips. Ron was slightly surprised, but soon he kissed her back. His hands held her beautiful face while her hands moved up to his hair. Once air became an issue, they broke apart. Luna sniffed and snuggled up against Ron. He welcomed her small frame up against his. Ron summoned a blanket, and soon, he and Luna fell into a peaceful sleep on the couch.

The next morning, Ron woke up, once again, to the delicious smell of Luna's cooking. He got up off of the couch and walked into the kitchen. Luna was still wearing her clothes from the previous day. Her hair was pulled up into a messy bun. Ron thought it looked adorable. She turned around and smiled at Ron. She held two pans, one in each hand.

"Eggy in a Basket, or Rocket Dosa?” Luna asked Ron with a smile. Ron laughed and chose the Rocket Dosa.

"Did you sleep well?” Ron asked. Luna nodded her head lightly. Ron smiled and took a bite out of his Rocket Dosa.

"Come on Luna, sit with me and have some breakfast," Ron said.

"Oh, okay then," Luna said happily. However, she seemed to have something on her mind.

"Ronald...do you regret what happened last night?” Luna asked. Ron almost choked on his food.

"No! No, of course not. Why? Do you?” Ron asked, afraid of what she might say. Luna quickly shook her head.

"No! Not at all. I just...I don't know, for some reason I got the feeling that maybe you would regret it. I don't know why," Luna said, feeling slightly guilty.

"Well," Ron replied, "I don't, and I never will, okay?"

"Okay," Luna said with a smile. Ron kissed her on the cheek. At that moment Hermione popped into the living room.

"Ron...Luna?” Hermione called. The two came out of the kitchen, holding hands. Hermione's face lit up.

"Oh, this is wonderful! I just knew this would happen!” Hermione shouted excitedly. Ron blushed slightly while Luna laughed.

"Well, I only came by to ask if you two would like to join Harry and me for tea, but now you are required to come. Harry has to know about this!” Hermione said happily. Ron and Luna both nodded their heads. Ron, Luna, and Hermione walked to the fireplace. Luna grabbed some floo powder, and in an instant, they were off to Potter Manor.

They popped into the living room of Potter Manor. Harry was waiting on the couch. Hermione ran up to Harry and kissed him.

"Harry, Harry look!” Hermione said, pointing to Ron and Luna's joined hands, "It happened!"

Harry smiled. Hermione was beside herself. Ron squeezed Luna's hand. She broke the silence.

"Well, are we going for tea?” Luna asked. Harry and Hermione nodded their heads enthusiastically.

"Just let me get my shoes," Harry said. Hermione smiled and rolled her eyes. Ron took this moment to kiss Luna on the cheek. Luna beamed. Harry came back with his shoes on. Everyone smiled, and with a small pop, they were gone.

-->

9. Epilogue (very short)


4 Years Later

Luna put a hand on her stomach. The baby was kicking again.

"Are you alright, Luna?” Ron asked his wife. Luna smiled and kissed him.

"I'm just fine, the little one is kicking again," Luna replied. Ron smiled and put his hand on her stomach. He felt little Ella moving. He was so happy. He kissed his wife once more.

"Ron, Luna, come sit with us around the Christmas tree," Hermione said. She was nestled in Harry's lap while he played with her bushy hair. She smiled happily. It had been four years since that fateful night when Luna showed up on Ron's doorstep. Ron and Luna had gotten married two years later, and Luna was now pregnant with their first child. It was a girl. Her name was Ella.

Ginny sat on the couch next to Neville, her husband of five years. She had just given birth to their first child, Conner. He was sleeping in Ginny's arms while Neville stroked his little hand. James, Lily, Rose, Hugo, Albus Severus, and Athena were all opening presents. It was Christmas morning, after all.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville, and Ginny were all together once more. They were finally with their soul mates, and were happy beyond belief. Ron looked around and then smiled to Luna. They all watched as the children continued to play and open presents. For all of them, life was finally perfect.

-->