Return to Me

Heaven

Rating: PG13
Genres: Drama, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 4
Published: 26/12/2002
Last Updated: 31/05/2004
Status: Completed

When Hermione mysteriously disappears one night, and is nowhere to be found, Harry has to raise their daugher Caitlyn alone in the Muggle World. Ten years later, Caitlyn recieves her Hogwarts letter, and Harry is forced to reenter the Wizarding World he left behind. There he meets Catherine, who looks exactly like his lost love.... *Series Epilogue added 5/30/04*

1. untitled

A/N: Hello all!! Long time no see, I've been on vacation and trying out different fic ideas. This is sort of the sequel to Just Kiss Me, but you don't necessarily need to read it to understand this. There are some references that will be made in this fic, however, that may be somewhat confusing unless you've read it. So go do it and review of course ;)

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and Co, anything you recognize as Harry Potter property I didn't make up. Although, I do own Caitlyn and Blue! I also do not own any songs that I use in this fic, or any of the movie quotes the characters use.

Harry smiled as Hermione entered the room. His eyes roamed up and down her body hungrily; she wore a skimpy black negligee made of the most silken threads. Harry beckoned her to come closer so he could put his hands on her. She seemed to float on air as she glided to the bedside.

"Harry...touch me Harry...I love you..." she said. Her voice seemed so far away, almost like an echo. Harry obliged, and reached out to pull her onto him.

"What the...." Harry said as his hands passed through Hermione.

"Harry I need you...." She said, her voice sounding farther and farther away. She started to float back, and Harry leaned forward trying to keep her from leaving....

"Oomph!" Harry said as he fell sideways from his bed. His head snapped up as he scanned the room quickly. Righting himself, he fell back against the pillow.

"Only another dream." He sighed. He looked at the clock and sighed again, it was still too early to get up, but he knew he'd never get back to sleep. Throwing his sheets aside, he pulled on a pair of loose pants and quietly walked down the hallway to the kitchen. Pouring himself a glass of cold water, he walked over to the window and pressed his burning forehead against the cool glass. One single tear escaped his eye and he brushed it away impatiently.

"It's no use." Harry told himself. "She's gone, she's never coming back."

It had been 10 years, 10 long years since he had held Hermione in his arms. Most people would think that a decade would numb the pain of losing someone you loved, but few people had experienced a love like Harry and Hermione had. Their life together had been abruptly ended one night, when Hermione had been on her way home from work and had just, disappeared. Harry had spent the next year searching for her, but no avail. Harry finally had to stop his search and admit that she was gone forever, and he also had someone else to care for beside himself as well.

"Dad?" a small voice brought Harry out of his reverie. "What are you doing up?"

Harry turned around to face the reason he was still living a sane life. His and Hermione's daughter, Caitlyn, stood in the doorway. He smiled fondly at her, she had inherited her mother's brown bushy hair, but his clear green eyes stared back at him.

"I was thirsty." He replied, setting the glass in the sink and walking over to his daughter. "Come now, back to bed with you. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

Harry was referring to the fact that he was introducing his daughter to the wizarding world. After Hermione had disappeared, it had been too painful for him to stay where everything reminded him of her. In fact, the only ties that Harry had to that part of his life was a VERY rare occasional owl from Ron. That was why he was so surprised when just a few days before a large brown owl had swooped in while he and Caitlyn were having breakfast. He had instantly recognized it as a Hogwarts owl. Harry had had a hard time deciding whether or not to send her there, and finally made up his mind to let his daughter decide her future. He had sat her down, and being as matter of fact as he could about it, told her about him, told her about her mother. He had watched as she digested all this. Of course, she had known bits and pieces of the wizarding life that she had gathered throughout her years so far, and had accepted her letter to Hogwarts.

Harry tucked his daughter back into her bed and then kissed her on the forehead.

"Back to sleep with you now." He said softly. She snuggled down into the blankets and closed her eyes. Harry sat there for a few moments just gazing at her, he still marveled at how much she resembled Hermione.

"Dad?" she murmured sleepily. "Will you stay here with me?"

"Of course I will." Harry reassured his daughter. He stroked her long hair away from her forehead.

"Will you tell me a story?" One green eye peeked out at him. Harry chuckled.

"What do you want to hear?"

"I want to hear a story about you and Mum." Caitlyn said in a tiny voice.

Harry's breath caught in his throat for a moment. Caitlyn had only been a year old when Hermione disappeared, but she didn't too often ask Harry to talk about her. She seemed to know how painful it was for him, and she knew that one day Harry would tell her all about her Mum.

He swallowed the lump that had risen in his throat. "What do you want to hear?"

"How did you and Mum get together?"

Harry smiled to himself. That was one of his fondest memories ever. "Well," he said in a surprisingly calm voice, "We were in our 5th year at Hogwarts...I had liked her for quite some time, and we decided to sneak down to the kitchens for a late evening snack...." Harry's voice warmed his words as he told Caitlyn about how her parents had found their feelings for each other. By the time he finished the story, Caitlyn was back asleep, clutching her favorite stuffed dragon. Harry smiled as he saw this, even at age 11 she would not sleep without it. He softly smoothed back her hair and left the room, closing the door lightly behind him. He walked down the hallway to his study, where he snapped the light on and sat down at his desk. Grabbing a piece of paper and a pen he composed a quick note to Ron.

'Ron-

I know this may seem a bit sudden, but due to Caitlyn's acceptance at Hogwarts, I've decided to come back into the wizarding world some. I'm taking her to Diagon Alley later today to shop for what she needs. Any chance you'd be able to meet us there? I want to introduce her to her 'Uncle' Ron and I'd really love to see you and Lavender again as well. Let me know as soon as possible.

-Harry'

He folded the note over and brought it to one of the only remnants of the world he still had - Hedwig.

"Hey girl." Harry said, stroking her still soft feathers with his index finger. She nipped at him a little, and immediately held out her leg. Harry tied the letter on and Hedwig soared out the window, with Harry looking around to make sure none of his Muggle neighbors had witnessed her flight. He looked at his watch and noted it was now 4 am. In just a few hours, he'd be taking his baby girl to start her own life, to get her ready to go to a place where he wouldn't be able to see her for months at a time. He felt his eyes grow a little misty at the thought of this happening. Sometimes he felt like Caitlyn was the only part of Hermione he had left. Ron would argue with him there, Harry knew.

"Memories, mate." He would say. "You always have the memories of the two of you together, and that can last you a lifetime."

Harry recalled Ron being a pain in the ass more often than not, but he had his moments where he was almost philosophical. Harry smiled pensively at his memories now, and felt his eyelids grow heavy once more. Maybe he'd be able to get a little more sleep yet.

Harry was wakened a few hours later by the sound of Hedwig tapping her beak on the glass window. Rubbing his eyes wearily, he tripped his way over to the window and opened it. Hedwig eagerly flew in to her perch and proudly held out her leg, with a length of parchment attached to it.

-Harry

I can't believe you're coming back. Everyone will be so excited! Mum and Dad are coming in today, and Ginny and Seamus will be stopping by as well. They got married just a month ago! A lot of things have changed here, you will see. You are welcome to stay with Caitlyn here at our flat, of course, it will give her a good chance to get to know Blue.'

"Blue?" Harry said quizzically.

'Before I forget to tell you- Blue is Ron Jr. Lavender wanted to give him a nickname so that we wouldn't get confused.... so now he's Blue. We will meet you at the Leaky Cauldron around noon. Can't wait to see you again Harry, it's been way too long.

-Ron.'

Harry shook his head in disbelief. "Blue?" he asked himself again. Shrugging his shoulders, he went to wake his daughter.

Stay tuned for the next chapter- we'll meet a woman who is strangely familiar to Harry and company, and you get to meet Blue Weasley! ;)

2. Return to the Wizarding World

Chapter 2

(A/N: Hello!! Here's chapter 2, not much info on Hermione yet, but I daresay you'll like the end ;) Thanks to everyone who reviewed for the first chapter, I really and truly appreciate it…. the more reviews, the faster I'm spurred to write and get the next chapter out faster!)

"Caty Cat…" Harry said, shaking her gently. "Come on love, we have to get ready to go soon."

"Nooooo…" Caitlyn mumbled into her pillow. "Dad go way. Too early."

"All right…" Harry said as he rose from the edge of her bed. "I guess this means no shopping today…" he let his voice trail off as Caitlyn shot out of bed.

"I'm up!!" She shrieked, running from the room and into the bathroom. Harry laughed; he had no idea where his daughter had gotten her love of shopping from.

"Half hour." He said through the door. "I can't Apparate with you."

Caitlyn's brown head poked through the narrow opening. "Apparate?" she asked.

Harry smiled. "Yup. Where you disappear in one place and reappear in another."

Caitlyn looked startled for a moment. "What?"

Harry's smile grew wider. "Magic talk. You'll get used to it in no time, I promise."

"I hope so." Caitlyn ducked back into the bathroom.

Harry walked down the hallway and pulled his old robes from a closet. Pulling them on, he was happy to see they still fit. He then walked into their kitchen. Harry felt strangely excited about that day. It had been far too long, since he had seen Ron or anyone at all from his time at Hogwarts. Reaching up into the back of a high cabinet, he retrieved a small wooden box. Blowing the dust off the top, he pulled back the lid on two small rusty hinges.

His wand lay inside, untouched for almost a decade. He ran his fingers along the smooth wood for a moment, and then picked it up gently and just held it in his hand for a moment. Gripping the base, he lifted it up and pointed at the glass he had left sitting in the sink the previous evening.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Harry said. The glass lifted itself out of the sink and he moved it along with his wand down the counter. Harry amused himself for the next 10 minutes by levitating different things in the kitchen and setting them down in other places. He was enjoying moving around a Jell-O mold from the refrigerator when Caitlyn appeared in the doorway.

"Dad!" she said in shock. "Why are you wearing a dress?" Harry lost his concentration and the mold fell from about 8 feet in the air onto the floor with a loud plop. Harry laughed loudly and muttered a cleaning charm. The Jell-O disappeared from the floor, leaving it as clean as it was before. Caitlyn uttered a few unintelligible words as she sank into a chair.

"Your old dad's still got some magic in him yet." Harry told her. "This is the type of thing you'll be learning. And this isn't a dress, they're robes. All wizards wear them dear." He lowered his wand and put it back in the case. "Are you ready to go?" Harry asked.

"I think so." Caitlyn replied. She pulled the Hogwarts parchment out of her jeans pocket. "This has a list of all the books I need. Plus, I have to get my robes and a wand…" Harry realized that this was going to cost him a small fortune.

"Come on Dad!" Caitlyn was saying. She was eager now, to find out about the wizarding world. Her studies had always interested her, and now to find out that she was going to be able to do magic, well, she had a feeling her 'bookwormishness' would be at an all time high. She tugged on Harry's hand and he followed her into the hallway.

"How are we going to get there?" she asked curiously.

"On the underground." Harry replied. "Once we get to the Leaky Cauldron, that's where the entrance to Diagon Alley is."

A half hour later, Harry was leading his daughter down a crowded street to what looked like an empty storefront.

"Dad we can't go in there!" Caitlyn said, trying to peer through the dusty window.

Harry only smiled as he took her hand and pushed open the door. A wave of familiarity inundated him as he quickly took in the candlelit room, with it's high windows and smoky interior. He felt 11 years old again himself, coming in here for the first time with Hagrid. He made his way past the counter area where he was surprised to see Tom still working. The man looked up as Harry and Caitlyn approached and his eyes widened.

"Oh my goodness…Harry Potter!" Once again, everyone in the room turned to catch a glimpse of him, several coming forward to shake his hand or hug him.

Harry took a deep breath; he hadn't really been expecting an onslaught of people like this. He had been hoping to slink through unnoticed. At this rate, they'd never get into Diagon Alley anytime soon. Caitlyn looked at her father with wide eyes, he had never told her much about his fame in the wizarding world. She watched him shake hands with people, smiling and acting like he hadn't been absent from here for almost 10 years. After about 20 minutes, Harry was finally able to gracefully excuse himself from the adoring eyes of many witches (and a few warlocks to his horror) and pull Caitlyn into the small room that held the entrance to Diagon Alley. Caitlyn could only stare at her father in amazement as he pulled out his wand and tapped some bricks in a certain order, and they both watched as they turned themselves aside to reveal the entrance.

"Well Caty Cat…" Harry said as they stepped past the bricks. "Welcome to Diagon Alley…finally."

Caitlyn's eyes were as wide as saucers as she tried to take everything in with a single glance. The streets were already bustling with people doing their shopping, buying everything from books, to brooms, to multicolored robes hung in the window of Madam Malkin's.

"Oooh Dad can I have some of those?" Caitlyn asked, pointing to the robes. Harry laughed.

"Maybe." He said. "We'll have to see how expensive everything is first."

Caitlyn pouted briefly but perked up when they walked past the broom shop.

"Do you think I'll be able to play Quidditch like you did?" she asked. "If I make the team, I want to be a Seeker like you." She prattled on till they reached Ollivander's wand shop. "Oooh!" she said, her eyes growing wide again. "Can we get my wand now please pretty please?" Harry chuckled and held open the door for her.

"Why do you think we're here?" Harry said. They entered the shop, which was completely deserted. Caitlyn looked around her at all the musty boxes that contained wands, and wondered which of them would be hers. A scuffling noise in the back of the store made them look up, and Ollivander appeared holding more boxes.

"Mr. Potter!" he exclaimed. "I knew it is time to be seeing you again." His eyes moved down to Caitlyn. Without a word to her, he turned and pulled about 7 boxes down from a shelf.

"Here dear." He said, coming towards her with one of the wands. She tentatively took it in her hand, and then looking at Harry, who made a motion with his hand, swished it through the air. A strong wind swept through the shop, blowing over some books and putting out all the candles.

"Nope." Ollivander muttered, hunting through some more boxes. He handed Caitlyn wand after wand, until finally he pulled a slender dark one out of a box.

"13 inches, dragon heartstring." Ollivander said, placing it in her hand. Immediately, a golden glow appeared from the wand. Obviously, it had made it's choice. Harry gave Ollivander 10 galleons for the wand, and they left the shop, Caitlyn clutching her wand like it was going to disappear.

"Can we go to the book shop next?" Caitlyn asked.

"We should save that for later once we've met up with everyone, hopefully it won't be so crowded then." Harry nodded towards Flourish and Blotts, which was packed full of people buying their schoolbooks. Harry and Caitlyn spent the next few hours buying her potions ingredients (Harry sincerely hoped Snape no longer taught), her cauldron, herbs, her robes, where Harry gave in and bought her the multicolored ones she wanted (for weekend wear only, he cautioned her) along with the standard black ones required for all students.

Harry looked at his watch, it was about 5 minutes to noon and his money was already almost gone.

"Caty Cat." He called. "Come on, we've got to meet up with everyone!"

Caitlyn said goodbye to the group of girls she had been talking to and joined her father as they left the robe shop and made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron.

"You look a little nervous Dad." Caitlyn commented as Harry pushed open the door.

"I am, a bit." Harry replied. "Ron was my best friend in the world, he and your mum. It's been hard not seeing him at all for 9 years. He's got a son your age, I imagine you two will get along rather well."

Caitlyn nodded and looked around the Leaky Cauldron. The crowd that had been in there when she and her father had first arrived had pretty much dissipated. There were a few warlocks sitting at the counter and a witch sitting in the corner with a crystal ball on the table in front of her. At that moment, the fireplace burst into flame. Caitlyn started a little, and Harry put his hand over hers.

"It's okay Caty Cat." He said. "I bet you anything that's Ron and Lavender now. They're coming in by Floo Powder."

"By what?"

"Floo Powder." Harry quickly explained about it and a moment later, Ron came tumbling out of the fireplace, Lavender right behind him, clutching the hand of a carbon copy of Ron at age 11.

"I can't wait to tell Harry about the tickets we've gotten for the Quidditch game!" Ron was saying loudly as Lavender attempted to brush the soot from their robes.

"Dad! I want to go now can't we just meet them there?" the young boy, who Harry assumed must be their son, shouted.

"Blue!" Lavender was chastising him. "You and your father really need to keep it down."

Harry smiled to see that nothing in the Weasley family had changed. He stepped forward and Ron saw him.

"HARRY!" he shouted, and ran forward to hug his old friend. Harry grinned and hugged him back.

"Ron, it's great to see you again!" he said, overjoyed.

"Harry." Lavender said, smiling at him. He stepped back from Ron and kissed Lavender on the cheek.

"It's so great to see you guys, it really is. I didn't realize till just now how much I missed everyone." Harry said.

Caitlyn hung back behind her father, feeling a little shy. She was always quieter around people she had never met, and this was no exception. Her father sensed her behind him, and pulled her out in front of him.

"This is Caitlyn, everyone. Caty Cat, this is Ron, his wife Lavender, and their son…" Harry faltered for a moment.

"Blue." Blue stuck his hand out to Caitlyn. She blinked at him and shook his hand.

"Why is your name Blue?" she asked curiously. He grinned.

"Well my real name is Ron, but my Mum didn't want us to get confused, so my Dad gave me this nickname when I was a baby."

"That's so cool." Caitlyn said, and the two children sat down at a table and began to talk.

Seeing that the kids were distracted with themselves, Ron, Lavender and Harry took seats at another table.

"How have you been, really?" Ron asked Harry.

He pursed his lips for a moment. "There have been times, when things have been really rough. It's still hard for me to talk about her. Like last night, I couldn't get Hermione out of my head."

Lavender looked at him sympathetically. "Well, we've always kept our eyes and ears open for anything. I just wish we could still do something about it."

"I appreciate it, more than you know." Harry told her. "It's been difficult raising Caitlyn on my own, she's full of questions about Hermione that I still can't bring myself to answer. Maybe you guys can help me some with that. If she asks you anything about Hermione, feel free to answer."

"Sure." Both Lavender and Ron agreed. There was silence for a moment, and then Ron stood up.

"Well, we've got to get Blue all his supplies for school. I take it you two have been shopping already?"

Harry nodded. "We've gotten most of her stuff. We haven't gotten her books yet, though, Flourish and Blotts was too crowded earlier, and we wanted to wait for you guys." He smiled. "Caitlyn loves to read."

"Wonder where she got that from." Ron grinned. Hermione's bookish personality had gone straight to her daughter it seemed. "Come on, you two." He called to Caitlyn and Blue, who got up and joined them.

The five left the Leaky Cauldron and went back into Diagon Alley. Unfortunately, Flourish and Blotts was no less crowded than it had been before. They pushed through the crowd to where a large display of books sat. A young woman with very long, very dark brown hair was helping several people with lists in their hand. Harry motioned to Caitlyn to give him her list, and he would grab the books for her. He turned to Ron to see if he was going to follow him into the fray, but Ron and his family had disappeared into the crowd.

"Wait right there!" Harry said to his daughter, who nodded and stood back from all the people. He began to thread his way through the crowd. Harry didn't remember Flourish and Blotts being this large, and it actually unnerved him a little as he fought his way to the tables of books.

"Excuse me!" he tried to get the attention of the brown haired woman but she didn't appear to hear him, her back was to him and she was talking to an older couple. He sighed and decided to just get the books himself. Grabbing everything Caitlyn would need, he made his way back to where his daughter had been standing.

But she wasn't there anymore.

"Caitlyn?" he called over the dull roar of the crowd. "Caty Cat? Where are you?" he began to grow a little frantic, as the store was becoming more and more crowded and there was no sight of his daughter.

Caitlyn was scared. She had never enjoyed big crowds of people, and now here she was, alone in one of the biggest ones. "Dad?" she called out, but her small voice was lost in the throng of people. "Dad where are you?" She began to make her way through the people towards where the tables of books were, thinking he might still be up there picking her schoolbooks out. To her dismay, he was not there. She saw a brown haired woman in dark blue robes putting some books back on the shelf; Caitlyn hoped she worked there, and that she'd be able to help her find her father.

"Excuse me." Caitlyn said politely, tugging gently on the woman's sleeve. The woman turned around and looked at her.

"Yes dear?" she asked. Caitlyn noticed she wore a name badge, which read Catherine.

"Um…" Caitlyn stammered. "My father was just up here, he told me to wait back by the windows but I got pushed into the crowd and now I've lost him." Catherine smiled at her kindly.

"What does he look like? Don't worry, we'll find him. He won't leave the store without you, I'm sure." Catherine replied. She took the little girl's hand, feeling a slight jolt when she did. Confused, she looked down at the little girl. There was something very familiar feeling about her. "What's your name?"

"Caitlyn." She replied. "Caitlyn Potter." Catherine led her to the cash registers on the opposite side of the store and picked up what looked to Caitlyn like a black megaphone.

"Attention customers. I have a lost father!" Catherine's voice boomed over the din of the crowd. "Will Caitlyn Potter's father please come to the registers?"

Not a minute later, a tall black haired man came striding over to them.

"Caitlyn!" Harry said, hugging her tightly.

"I'm sorry Dad!" Caitlyn said, her eyes tearing up. "I tried to stay right there, but the crowd pushed me away."

"Shhh." Harry said, stroking down her hair. "It's all right, I'm just glad you're okay."

Catherine looked pensively at the two of them. She couldn't put her finger on it, but she felt like she knew these people from somewhere.

"This lady helped me find you Dad." Caitlyn said, looking up at Catherine. Harry looked up to thank her for helping him to find his daughter. He stood up to face her, and his jaw dropped.

"Hermione." He whispered.

(A/N: If you're wondering if Harry seems a leeeetle bit overprotective of Caitlyn, well, that's because he is! Aren't most fathers overprotective of their daughters, mine sure is LOL!

Next chapter: Is Catherine Hermione? We should find out more about Hermione's disappearance, and also the rest of the Weasleys meet up and there's Quidditch, which means OLIVER WOOD! YEAH!)

AND a special thank you to Ryoko Blue, who is beta reading for me, and helping me during the dreaded writers block! Go check out Soul Scepter if you haven't already, I promise you won't regret it!

3. The Past, Quidditch, Parties and Enemies

Chapter 3

"Hermione, is it really you?" Harry asked, staring at her.

"I beg your pardon?" Catherine asked, confused.

Harry swallowed hard. "I'm sorry I must have confused you with someone else." He mumbled. He extended his hand to her. "Harry Potter."

Her eyes widened just slightly as the name rang a bell. Being the reader she was, Catherine knew lots about him but had thought she read that he left the wizarding world. However, she smiled and shook his hand.

"Catherine Beaumont. It's nice to meet you Mr. Potter." She said casually. Fame had never really impressed her; she was a firm believer that it was what was inside that counted. At that moment, a red haired man dashed up to them.

"Harry!" he was saying loudly. "I heard you being paged is everything okay?" He turned to Catherine and his eyes widened.

"Ron this is Catherine she helped Caitlyn find me." Harry interjected before Ron could say anything. He gave Ron a warning with his eyes not to say anything, not yet anyway. Ron nodded and stepped back to join Lavender and Blue who had just come up with an armload of books.

"It was no problem. Kids get lost a lot in here." Catherine said, feeling a little ill at ease at the way Harry and his friend were staring at her. "Is there anything else I can help you find?"

"I think we're all set." Lavender answered, dropping her load of books on the counter. She prided herself on being cooler than Harry and Ron, and prevented her eyes from gluing themselves to the Hermione look-alike who was currently totaling up the sale. Meanwhile Ron was pulling Harry a few feet away.

"That's Hermione!" Ron hissed, stealing another glance at the woman. Harry grabbed his arm to keep him from staring at her once more.

"She looks exactly like her." Harry replied, biting his lower lip. His mind was going through a myriad of emotions and he wasn't sure how much longer he could control himself, staying in there within view of Catherine. While his heart was full to bursting, his mind kept trying to plant little seeds of doubt.

'What if it's just a twin?'

'What if she changed herself because she doesn't' want anything to do with you?'

"Shut up!" Harry said crossly to himself. Ron looked startled at his outburst. "Sorry." Harry said. "There's just a lot going through my head right now. I can't believe this." He tried to secretly peek at Catherine again. He was slightly amused to see her doing the same thing. He turned back to Ron.

"You've never seen her before?" he questioned. "I mean, you are still living in the wizarding world and have access to all this."

Ron made a face. "We never come to Diagon Alley anymore Harry. It's become way too much of a tourist trap. When foreign wizards come to Britain, they go to Diagon Alley to shop. Every once in awhile, a Muggle will wander in here too. Lav and I mainly stick to Hogsmeade now."

Catherine couldn't help but think there was something very odd going on. She finished ringing up Lavender's books and watched as the group left Flourish and Blotts, both men trying not to be obvious about looking at her. She faintly smiled and busied herself with more customers.

Catherine Beaumont had no idea how she had come to live in the wizarding world. She always said she felt as if she had woken up as a twenty one year old woman and had not had a childhood. She lived in a roomy flat in the heart of Diagon Alley with her best friend for the past nine years, Grace Klingman. Grace was a Squib who had found out a year before the girls became friends that she was a witch. She had decided to become a nurse at the expansion of St. Mungos that had opened in Diagon Alley. Catherine had been lucky when Grace found her; apparently she had been wandering down by the Thames and almost fell in. Grace had been the one who had taken her to the hospital, and then offered her a place to stay while she got on her feet.

"Speak of the devil." Catherine said, smiling at Grace as she swept into Flourish and Blotts.

"What?" Grace asked. "Were you telling a dangerously handsome man about me in an attempt to get your best friend a date?" they both laughed, Grace had a new boyfriend about every other week, while Catherine was far more selective about the men she chose to become interested in.

"Well…" Catherine said. "Speaking of handsome strangers…" she filled Grace in on how Harry Potter had been in the store. She wasn't ashamed to admit to herself that she'd found him exhilaratingly good looking. There was something deep in his green eyes that made her feel special in some way.

"I cannot believe I missed him!" Grace said dramatically. Catherine laughed. She loved her friend's antics; she could always put her in a good mood.

"Well if he comes in here again, be sure and page me. I can be here in two seconds flat." Grace was saying. "What time are you off today?"

"In about a half hour." Catherine replied. A swarm of people came up to the registers at that moment. "I'll meet you outside Gringotts when I'm done." She called over the din. Grace waved and slipped back outside. Catherine tried to concentrate on getting the mad crowd of shoppers rung up, but her mind kept slipping away to Harry Potter. Where had she known him before?

Harry couldn't believe his world had been turned back upside down in a matter of minutes. He was completely positive that had been Hermione back in Flourish and Blotts; she had looked different, her hair was a lot longer and darker than before, her skin a few shades darker, but Harry had looked into her eyes, they had been eyes he knew better than his own.

"Dad are you okay?" Caitlyn asked, concerned. She really didn't have much of an idea of what had happened in the bookstore, with that woman, but her father had seemed to know her.

"What?" Harry seemed startled at his daughter's question. "Yes love, I'm fine." He forced a smile on his face as he looked down at his daughter.

"Anyone ready for Quidditch?" Ron interrupted. Blue jumped up and down and howled in excitement. Lavender was tugging on Ron's sleeve.

"We need to get to the portkey soon." She said. "It's going to be working in about 5 minutes."

The group hurried across Diagon Alley towards the side of a building. They didn't need to hide from anyone, seeing as how they were in the wizarding world already, which was nice. Grabbing up a moldy newspaper, Ron glanced at his watch.

"Okay everyone, all you need is a finger on this." Ron said. Lavender, Harry and Blue all did as Ron instructed. Caitlyn looked at the paper and wrinkled her nose.

"I have to touch that?" she asked.

Blue rolled his eyes good-naturedly. He grabbed Caitlyn's hand and smacked it down on the moldiest piece of the newspaper. Before she had time to shriek in disgust, the portkey had whirled them away to where the Puddlemere United team was prepping for their game that day.

Harry inhaled deeply as he drank in the Quidditch field hungrily with his eyes. It had been far too long since he had played; he really missed that free feeling he got while in the air. He felt some of the melancholy shift off his shoulders as the thought of broomsticks and small golden snitches filled his head.

"It really has been far too long." Harry mused, looking around with a growing smile. Caitlyn looked at her father, happy to see a smile on his face.

"Dad are you going to play?" Caitlyn asked excitedly, tugging on his hand.

Harry chuckled. "No love. We're just watching today, it's a professional Quidditch match you're about to see."

"I've got passes to get us back behind the scenes." Ron said proudly.

"How did you get these on such short notice Ron?" Harry asked, accepting the two passes Ron gave him.

"A friend." Ron said smugly. He jerked his head towards a man with short brown hair. "Hey Oliver!" he shouted. The man turned in their direction and smiled, and began walking over to them.

"Ron!" Oliver said enthusiastically, pumping Ron's hand. "Glad to see those tickets arrived in time." He looked at the rest of the group, and his eyes widened when they saw Harry.

"Harry Potter!" Oliver exclaimed, as he pushed past everyone. "I can't believe it!" he shook Harry's hand.

"How have you been Oliver?" Harry asked. "I see you play for Puddlemere! Congratulations!"

"Yeah, I made the reserve team when I got out of Hogwarts, and about two years later they signed me onto the main team, and here I've been ever since!"

"That's great." Harry responded. "I really miss playing Quidditch sometimes."

"Dad you were a seeker right?" Caitlyn piped up.

"That's right." Harry replied. Oliver looked around Harry and his eyes brightened.

"Who is this?" he asked.

"Oliver, this is my daughter Caitlyn. Caty Cat, this is Oliver Wood, he used to be the Gryffindor Quidditch captain when I was at Hogwarts."

"Hi." Caitlyn said shyly. She thought Oliver was hot!

"My lady." Oliver said gallantly, taking her hand and kissing the back. Caitlyn blushed hard and Harry and Ron laughed.

"I can see you haven't changed much." Harry remarked as the group made their way towards the Quidditch field.

"What do you mean?" Oliver asked. Harry grinned and pointed to the diagrams Oliver had laid out for the team to study.

"I cringe just thinking about all those times you woke us up at 4 am to go practice." Harry said and Ron and Lavender both roared.

"I remember that!" Ron said. "Harry used to moan and groan for about a half hour after you'd leave!" Everyone laughed again as they went inside where the locker rooms were.

"Well I'm afraid I must leave you here." Oliver said. "The game starts in about an hour so I have to go give my team a pep talk. I hope you'll stay around for the party tonight?" he asked, looking at Harry and Ron.

"I'm there." Ron said. He looked at Harry. "You?"

"I'm game if Caty Cat is." Harry looked at his daughter. "You want to go?"

"Yes!" she replied quickly, and blushed when Oliver grinned at her.

"Well I guess we're staying then." Harry said. He shook Oliver's hand again and he disappeared into the locker room.

They all went up to the top of the stadium to find their seats. Oliver had managed to get them top box seats.

"Kind of reminds you of the World Cup doesn't it Harry." Ron said as he settled back into his seat.

"Yeah it does. Only one thing missing." Harry said. His lips twitched a little as he remembered sitting in the top box with Hermione right next to him, her hair blowing every once awhile and tickling his arm, the way she pulled him back when the veela started dancing…

"So did you two want to stay with us tonight?" Ron was asking him as Lavender tried unsuccessfully to get Blue to sit down in his seat.

"Sure, that'd be great." Harry said appreciatively. "It's not like I planned this to be an overnight trip."

"Great." Lavender said. "It'll be fun to have you two over. Gives Blue and Caitlyn a chance to get to know each other better as well." She smiled at the two children who were bouncing excitedly in their seats, anxious for the game to begin.

"So how do you like being able to do magic again?" Ron asked.

Harry smiled. "It definitely isn't hard to remember. There were a lot of times when I found myself wanting to pull out my wand to levitate something over, but I didn't want to scare Caitlyn."

Harry, Ron and Lavender discussed the uses of magic around the house for a good half hour, until a drawling voice interrupted them.

"Well I'll be damned. If it isn't Potty and his loser sidekick the Weasel." Draco Malfoy entered their box, his mouth drawn up in a sneer.

Harry's face contorted in anger, and Ron rose from his seat like a volcano erupting.

"Malfoy what the hell are you doing here?" Ron spat. "Finally get some money to regain a life?"

Malfoy's eyes narrowed. "I have plenty of money Weasel. I never had to take charity."

"Right." Ron snorted. "That's why everyone saw you groveling on the streets for Knuts right after Harry dispelled you of everything you had when he killed Voldemort."

Malfoy lunged forward at that moment and Harry immediately stood up and prevented him from slugging Ron.

"I think you'd best leave Malfoy." Harry said quietly. He was desperately trying to maintain a sense of calm around Caitlyn and Blue, but it was failing him miserably. He wanted to knock the daylights out of Malfoy. He tightened his hold on Malfoy's robe, and pushed him back towards the entrance to the box.

Malfoy wrenched himself away from Harry and glared at him, looking more like a snake than he ever had before. His sneer turned into an ugly smirk.

"So, you brought your Mudblood daughter into the wizarding world I see. Trying to make her like that bitch of a wife of yours?"

At that moment, Harry lost any sense of self-control he had managed to hang on to. He pulled back his arm and with all his force, smashed his fist into Malfoy's face. Ron didn't miss a beat as he jumped into the fray, pulling on Malfoy's hair and pummeling him with his fists.

"Harry! Ron!" Lavender was trying to pull them off. Caitlyn, very disturbed at seeing her father this way, was hiding behind Blue, tears in her eyes.

Ron picked Malfoy off the floor and shoved him against the wall.

"Get the hell out of here before Harry and I throw you over the ledge. If I see you ANYWHERE near my family or Harry's, that pretty boy face of yours is going to be messed up for life!" Ron shouted.

Malfoy staggered away, but not before shouting a few curse words back at the two men. "You watch out for me Potter! You too Weasel! We're not done yet. I still owe you!"

Breathing heavily, Harry and Ron reentered the box. Lavender glared at both of them and pointed at the two children, who looked terrified.

"Caty Cat." Harry said. "I'm sorry." He went over to his daughter and pulled her into a hug. She sniffed against his shoulder and he cursed himself for letting her see that. He had never acted violently in front of her; he supposed this had to be quite a shock.

Caitlyn was embarrassed at her tears; the Weasley family must think she was a baby. She pulled back from her father's embrace, and managed a shaky smile.

"I'm okay." She said. Her father nodded, and patted her shoulder, realizing his daughter didn't want to be babied in front of everyone.

Blue looked concernedly at her. "You sure you're all right?" he asked.

Caitlyn smiled at him. "Yes, thanks. I'm fine." Harry, Lavender and Ron smiled at each other over the children's heads. At that moment, they all heard the commentator start to announce the Quidditch teams. Harry was amused to see his daughter clap heartily for Oliver when he flew out on his broom and blush when he flew past the box and winked at her.

The players flew into their positions on the field, and the referee brought out the box with the Quidditch balls. After a moment, he opened the box and all 4 of the balls flew out and around the field. The game had begun.

Harry found himself aching inside to be on one of those brooms. His memories of his Quidditch playing days at Hogwarts came rushing over him in waves. Caitlyn had never been so excited as she watched all the players weave their patterns across the field.

"Dad I want to be a Chaser! No, a Beater so I can pelt those things! Oooh, but the Keeper looks like such fun…." She kept squealing throughout the match. Blue matched her enthusiasm bit for bit, his desire to play Quidditch as well was apparent on his face as he was completely enraptured by the game. They both jumped up and cheered when Puddlemere won the game. Oliver swooped down by their box.

"Want to go for a victory loop?" Oliver asked Caitlyn, who looked quite enamored at that moment.

"Can I Dad?" she pleaded. Harry chuckled.

"Sure, go ahead." He replied, watching as she shrieked when Oliver grabbed her up and took off. Blue stared after them in dismay.

"No fair!" he whined. "I want to ride on a broom too!" When Oliver and Caitlyn came back, Oliver was nice enough to take Blue for a ride as well.

"Have fun?" Harry asked his daughter.

"Oh yes!" she said breathlessly. "Can I have a broom to take with me to school?" she begged.

"Sorry dear." Harry said. "First years aren't allowed to have brooms." He looked to Ron to confirm this and Ron nodded.

"Boo." Caitlyn said, but didn't pout. When Blue came back from his ride, he and Caitlyn immediately started discussing the ways they could try to get on their house team once at school.

It was discussed that Harry would apparate home (he still knew how) to get some changes of clothes, and Caitlyn would go back to Ron and Lavender's place to wait for him. He kissed his daughter on the top of his head once they reached the Leaky Cauldron and to Caitlyn's astonishment (although she was getting used to magic already) disappeared. Ron showed her how to use Floo Powder, and within seconds they had all left Diagon Alley.

* * *

Grace burst into their apartment with a huge grin on her face.

"Guess what I've just scored?" she said excitedly.

Catherine looked up from the kitchen table where she had a large book open in front of her.

"I don't know. What?"

"Two invitations to the Puddlemere United celebration party!" Grace squealed in excitement.

"How on earth did you manage to get those?" Catherine asked incredulously. When she had arrived home from work, the newscasters on the Wizarding Wireless Network had excitedly announced of Puddlemere's win that day, and how now they'd go on to represent Scotland in the next World Cup. She enjoyed Quidditch, she definitely wasn't a fanatic like Grace, but they had watched numerous games together and it had been fun.

"I have my sources." Grace replied mysteriously. "We'll have to use Floo Powder, the party is at Oliver Wood's club."

Catherine raised her eyebrows teasingly. "Oliver Wood huh. Are you sure the party's there or are you just trying to snag him again?"

Grace feigned shock. "What? Me?" she laughed. "Wouldn't' I love to be Mrs. Oliver Wood. But I hear he's got himself someone these days."

Catherine pretended to swoon. "Oh no, I guess this means every single wizard tonight had better be on his guard."

Grace laughed again. "Get yourself ready by 7." She swept out of the room before Catherine could bring up an argument.

Looking at the clock on the wall, Catherine deducted that she should start getting ready. Hopping into the shower, she let her long hair out of the bun that had held it back from her face while she read. Letting the hot water rush over her, she recalled the scene from earlier that day with Harry Potter. He had plagued her mind since that morning. No matter how busy she kept herself, her thoughts drifted back to his emerald green eyes and shiny black hair. She sighed heavily, wishing once again she could remember her past and who was in it.

Stepping into her bedroom, she opened her closet to see what sort of clothes she had to wear. She pushed her more casual clothes aside to reveal her more formal clothes. She pulled down a long red dress, and shook her head no, not red tonight. Pushing more dresses aside, she smiled as she saw the perfect one, a light green slim cut dress, which ended right above her knees, with spaghetti straps. Grace had insisted she buy it, claiming it offset her dark toned hair and skin.

Laying it carefully across her bed, she pulled the towel from her head and her very long hair bounced down almost to her waist. Running a comb through it, she cast a drying spell that left it straight and full. Pulling it back on each side, she secured it with a clasp, and then pulled a lock from each side and let them frame each side of her face. She pulled the dress on over her head and zipped it up. Heels that matched the dress went on next, and then she called Grace in to let her put a light dusting of makeup on her.

"You look amazing Catherine." Grace said honestly. She was wearing a long black dress, and had pulled her long blond hair into an elegant chignon at the nape of her neck.

"Same for you!" Catherine smiled at her friend. "You're going to knock them dead tonight!"

"Oh I hope so." Grace said fervently. The clock in the hallway chimed 7 exactly, and Grace pulled Catherine down to their fireplace.

"The Golden Snitch!" Grace threw some Floo Powder into the fireplace and grinned at Catherine. "See you there!" with that she disappeared into the flames.

Catherine took a pinch and threw it in. "The Golden Snitch!" she repeated, and wondered what the night would have in store.

(A/N: Well I hope this was quick enough for you guys, not a lot of romance in this chapter I know, but guess who will be at the same party? Woohoo!! ;)

Thanks again to everyone who reviewed…the reasons for Hermione's disappearance will come out as the story progresses, and how it happened as well. Happy reading!

While you're waiting, please check out some of my other fics, and those done by Ryoko Blue!)

4. Evening at the Golden Snitch

Chapter 4

This chapter is dedicated to Lucy, my friend Sara's dog, who had to be put to sleep on Friday April 12, 2002.

Catherine managed to not fall flat on her face as she was hurled from the fireplace in the back room at the Golden Snitch. Coughing from the soot she had spun up, she quickly pulled her wand out (she had shrunk it to fit in her small evening bag) and cleaned herself off. Looking around for Grace and not finding her, Catherine figured she had gone to the club area already. Oliver had the fireplace put in back as to not have people stumbling out of it in the midst of the club. Walking through the door, she spied Grace chatting up a good-looking wizard who was leaning against the bar.

"You work fast." Catherine commented, coming up behind Grace.

"Cath!" Grace exclaimed. "When did you get here?"

"About thirty seconds after you." She replied dryly. "I'm going to go put my purse down and get a drink, I'll meet up with you later." She walked off towards the coatroom and then found herself a table far enough away so that she could observe and not be bothered too much. Ordering a glass of red wine, she sat back and observed the people who were arriving. Ordinarily, she didn't really care for parties and clubs too much, preferring to sit at home by a fire with a fat book. She enjoyed her own company for the most part and didn't mind being alone. Catherine smiled as she spotted Grace pulling her man for the evening onto the dance floor. Oliver certainly had a good turnout. The alcohol was flowing freely, a famous wizard DJ was playing excellent dance music, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Including a certain person who had just stepped in the door.

Harry Potter.

She drew a sharp intake of breath as she tried not to obviously stare at him. He had changed from the robe he wore earlier to a green chenille sweater that matched his eyes exactly, and a pair of black dress pants. His hair was in disarray as usual, his bangs pushed to one side so his unusual lightning bolt scar was visible. Catherine could see Caitlyn clinging to his hand tightly. She was surprised to see children here at a club like this, but she supposed they must be friends of Oliver's. She finished off her wine and looked for a waiter, but couldn't find one in the ever growing crowd. She sighed and left the comfort of her tucked away table and tried to fight her way back to the bar.

Harry watched as Caitlyn and Blue were whisked away by Oliver to an upstairs room where they could have fun with some other kids their age, he was hoping Caitlyn would meet some of her future Hogwarts friends there.

"Have a good time!" he called to her and she waved back in return.

"Shall we go have a drink mate?" Ron asked, tugging on his light blue dress shirt that Lavender had made him wear.

Harry and Lavender both nodded and they all wove their way through the throngs of dancing people to the bar.

"What do you want?" Ron shouted to Lavender. She asked for a cosmopolitan, and Harry requested a Merlot, while Ron decided on a vodka martini. They all took their drinks and headed back out into the club.

"Hey!" Oliver cried as they approached. He had his arm around a strikingly beautiful woman. "Glad you made it!"

"This is quite a place Oliver." Harry said, taking a better look around. "I never figured you for the club type."

"I really wasn't until a few years ago." Oliver replied. "This place was a wreck when I first came upon it, and a steal at that. The whole idea of a club was born from this woman here." He grinned at the girl he had his arm around.

"This is Sara, by the way." Oliver said. "She's my fiancée."

"Congratulations Oliver." Harry replied.

"Sara, this is Ron and Lavender Weasley, and this is Harry Potter." Oliver made the introductions.

"Nice to meet all of you." Sara replied, tossing her dark red hair over her shoulder and smiling at Oliver. "Care to tango with me?" without waiting for an answer from Oliver, she was pulling him to the dance floor, waving at Ron, Harry and Lavender.

Lavender turned her eyes on Ron. "She's got the right idea."

"No way." Ron said. "You know how bad a dancer I am."

"Please?" Lavender wheedled. Harry laughed at him. Lavender whirled around to face him.

"You dance with me then." She said. Ron sniggered and Harry was pulled to the dance floor much like Oliver had moments before. He found himself pleasantly surprised at the fact that he was able to move his body easily to the music that was being pumped all over the large room. He and Lavender were pressed close together when she happened to look over his shoulder. Her eyes widened.

"What?" Harry asked, catching the expression on her face.

"Did you see who is here?" Lavender asked.

"No." Harry said. "Who?" Lavender spun him around and his jaw dropped.

It was Hermione, or rather, as she had introduced herself, Catherine. She was sitting idly at the bar, and looked a little bored. Her long hair was pulled back from her face, and her green dress was clinging to curves that made Harry ache in places he hadn't known existed.

"She was looking at you." Lavender replied wickedly.

"What? She was not." Harry said, flustered.

"Yes she was." Lavender replied. "You should go talk to her."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I've already made a fool out of myself in front of her today by calling her Hermione."

"Well…" Lavender said. "You still don't' know she isn't. I could go talk to her, but I didn't know her as well as you and Ron did."

Harry realized this was true- Hermione and Lavender had really only been friends after they had graduated from Hogwarts.

"Go on." Lavender said, giving him a push. Harry pushed his way through the people and made his way to the bar. He came up behind Catherine and tentatively tapped her on the shoulder.

"Hi." He said, bending lower so she could hear.

Catherine jumped and dropped her glass on the floor. It shattered on the floor, her wine splashing out in every direction.

"Oh crap." She muttered, her face going bright red. She bent over to try and wipe up some of the mess at the same time as Harry, and they knocked heads.

"Ouch!" they both said at the same time. Catherine looked up into eyes that were as green as a lush meadow.

"I am so sorry!" Harry apologized profusely. If she didn't think he was a complete idiot before, he was positive she would now.

"No, it's my fault." Catherine said, her face still flaming. "I'm so clumsy."

"I… I shouldn't have snuck up behind you like that." Harry said. "It's my fault."

"No really, you have no idea how klutzy I really am, I dropped the glass, it's my fault."

"Yeah but you wouldn't have dropped it if I hadn't come up behind you."

Catherine stopped for a moment and thought. "You know, you're right. This is your fault."

Harry opened his mouth but no sound came out. He stared at her.

"I'm just kidding!" Catherine said, the first really genuine smile of the evening breaking out onto her face. Harry's face relaxed and he smiled as well.

"You know, I think you were right before…your fault." He said and they both laughed. The tension that had been between them evaporated, and they both felt more comfortable than before.

"May I sit down?" Harry asked.

"Long as you don't break the stool." She said in reply.

"Funny." Harry grinned at her. "Look, since I startled you and you dropped your glass, can I buy you another drink?"

"Okay." She replied. "Merlot." She told the bartender. Harry stared- Merlot was the drink he and Hermione used to have together all the time.

"Are you all right?" Catherine asked him. Harry shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"I'm fine." He replied. "I'll have the same." He told the bartender, and the man flicked his wand and instantly two glasses of red wine were in front of them. Harry looked back at Ron, who was giving him a huge grin and motioning with his head for Harry to take Catherine someplace more private. Harry frowned and shook his head at Ron; it wasn't the right time for something like that.

Harry knew he'd have to take this slowly; he couldn't come right out and ask Catherine if she was his missing wife, and he certainly didn't want to make her wary of him in the least bit. It took him a minute to realize that Catherine was looking at him again with an amused expression.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked. "You look really spaced out."

"Yeah, I'm really fine." Harry said. "It's just been a really long day, what with meeting old friends and showing Caty around. It's nice being back here."

"Why did you leave?" she asked. He was silent a moment and she noticed a flicker of pain across his face. "I'm sorry, am I being too nosy?" she asked.

Harry smiled briefly. "No, it's all right…but the reason I left is a rather long, and not too happy story. I'd rather not bore you with the details."

Catherine nodded; she supposed she didn't feel too put out. "It's all right." She replied. A lock of her dark hair fell over her shoulder and she pushed it back, smoothing it down with her hand.

"I'd rather talk about you." Harry said, a bit boldly. She looked surprised.

"There's really not much to know about me." She said. "I mean, I work in a bookstore, I like to read books, listen to music…I'm pretty simple." Catherine shrugged.

'Hermione…Hermione…' Harry ticked off everything she said in his head. God, this woman was more and more like Hermione the more he found out about things she liked and disliked. "Do you come downtown often, like this?" he asked aloud.

She chuckled. "No, I rarely come to clubs. My roommate got us entry tonight, and I figured why not?"

A comfortable silence settled between them for a few moments. Harry looked over the dance floor and saw that Lavender had finally managed to drag Ron from the table, and they were pressed together amidst all the others. He looked back at Catherine and jerked his head towards the dance floor.

"Want to try it?" he asked. Her eyebrows rose.

"Me, dance? It's rather obvious that you don't know me well." She said wryly. Harry, amazed at his own daring, put his hand on hers and gripped it lightly.

"Believe me, no one is worse than I am."

"Well I saw you out there earlier, you didn't look too bad…" Catherine said and immediately wanted to smack herself. 'Great, why don't you just admit you were staring at him all night?' she thought to herself.

But to Harry's credit, he merely smiled and didn't embarrass her. "It's really not that hard." He said as they squeezed through the tightly molded together couples currently inhabiting the floor. He purposely took them to a spot near where Ron and Lavender were currently pressed together.

Surprisingly enough, Catherine realized that Harry was right; dancing wasn't too hard, especially since it didn't require much movement, and that didn't matter because there was almost no room to move. She found herself pressed up against Harry more often that not, and it wasn't something she minded in the least.

"Is that Oliver Wood?" she asked at one point, looking over Harry's shoulder at the brown haired man and the redheaded woman with him.

"Sure is." Harry said. "We were Quidditch teammates at Hogwarts, so I've known him for years." He looked at her and smiled. "Want me to introduce you?"

"Sure. My roommate's going to kill me though, she's had a crush on him for quite some time." Catherine said, rather mischievously, and Harry laughed. He led her over to where Oliver and Sara were snogging fiercely and cleared his throat loudly.

"Oliver, Sara, this is Catherine…" Harry looked at her; he had forgotten her last name already.

"Catherine Beaumont." She stuck her hand out to Oliver, then Sara. "It's nice to meet you both."

Sara smiled at her. "Likewise."

"You know," Oliver said, looking at her. "You remind me of someone…I can't put my finger on who though." Oliver smiled. "I'm sure it'll come to me."

"We were just going up to the roof to get a bit of fresh air. Do you guys want to come?" Sara asked.

Harry looked at Catherine, who nodded. "Sure." He agreed.

The four of them went into the back of the club, where Oliver pressed a button in the wall, which opened to a glass elevator.

"Nice." Harry commented. They all stepped inside and the elevator raised them up till it opened, and the four found themselves on top of Oliver's club. The roof was made of white tile, when Harry looked closer; he found it to be made of marble. There were lanterns strategically placed along the half wall, which made for some rather subtle lighting.

"This is rather swanky." Catherine said, voicing his thoughts. She looked over her shoulder; Oliver and Sara had moved further away from them into some shadows and were already snogging again. "Rather romantic too. I wonder why no one else is up here."

Harry leaned on one of the half walls. "I don't think Oliver has this set up for public use, he just brings a few people up at a time like us."

Another silence stretched between them for a long moment.

"So…" Catherine said, trying to get a conversation going again. "What do you do, since you live in the Muggle world?"

Harry smiled. "You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me." She said.

"I play the piano in a Muggle bar on weekends."

"Funny. You're a real comedian." She said.

"You know, I've never tried standup. I should sometime, I hear I'm a funny guy." Harry replied with a smile on his lips.

"No really, what do you do?"

"I just told you!"

Catherine stared at him. "You, Harry Potter, play piano in a Muggle bar?" her tone was disbelieving.

He ran a hand through his wild hair. "Well, I won't lie. I don't need the money, my parents left me quite a fortune that would see me through my life and depending on how I spent it, Caitlyn's. I just do this for a little extra cash, and it's fun."

"I see." She said. "What do you normally play?"

He shrugged. "Usually just whatever people request. Sometimes it's whatever is popular, a lot of the time, believe it or not, it's classical."

"At a bar?"

"Yup. It's not really one of those seedy places, it's a rather nice bar…usually the crowd is people on dates, or business meetings even."

"What else do you do in your free time?" she quizzed.

"Well, I spend a lot of time with Caty Cat." He said. "I've also discovered in the past few years that I'm a huge movie fanatic."

"Muggle televisions are the best aren't they?" she agreed. She and Grace had invested in one a few years back, and Catherine had acquired quite a taste in movies herself.

"What is your favorite?" Harry asked her.

"Hmm…that's tough to say, but if I had to pick one…it'd be Braveheart."

Harry threw back his head and laughed. "You just like Mel Gibson in a kilt!"

"That's not so!" she protested, but she felt her cheeks flame. "All right, maybe a little, but that's not the only reason I like it!"

Harry smirked in reply. "Yeah right."

"Well what is yours?" she countered. Now it was Harry's turn to blush.

"You're going to laugh if I tell you." He replied.

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't." she said. "You'll only know if you tell me."

Harry dropped his head and mumbled something.

"What?"

"Steel Magnolias." He mumbled louder this time. "It's a good movie!" he cried when Catherine started to laugh. "It is!" he said in his defense, but he was smiling too by this point.

"I'm sorry." She said, wiping her eyes. "I really didn't mean to laugh, but I never thought I'd see the day when a man would admit he liked that movie."

At that moment, a rather loud gasp echoed across the rooftop. Harry peered over to where Oliver and Sara were and his face reddened.

"I think we should leave those two to themselves." Harry said. Catherine peered around him and saw Oliver and Sara wrapped in a tight embrace, half their clothes lying on the floor.

"That sounds like a good idea." She said quickly. They went back to the elevator and rode back down to the main club floor. Coming back to where the bar was, Harry was surprised to see that some of the crowd had dissipated, and he saw Caitlyn standing in the corner with Ron, Lavender and Blue.

"Hey." Ron said as Harry and Catherine approached. "Where did you guys go?" he asked, giving Harry an appraising look. Harry ignored him.

"Oliver took us to the rooftop to get some fresh air." He replied. "You guys remember Catherine right?"

"Hi." Catherine said shyly. Caitlyn smiled up at her, and Ron kept smirking at Harry.

"How are you getting home?" Harry asked her. She looked around for Grace.

"Well, my roommate has our Floo Powder, that's how we got here…but I don't see her anywhere, she must have left with the guy she was with earlier."

"I'm sure I have some extra in my bag." Lavender said kindly. She pawed through it for a few moments. "Or perhaps none at all…" she looked at Ron.

"Looks like we're taking the Knight Taxi Service home." Ron said. "I don't have any on me." Harry pulled Ron aside.

"You guys go on ahead of me, I want to make sure she gets home okay." He said, jerking his head a little in Catherine's direction.

"You sure that's all you want to do?" Ron asked, grinning stupidly.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, Ron, that's all I want to do." He turned back to the women and felt Ron's hand on his arm.

"You'll tell me later, if you find out anything right?" Ron asked, the concern apparent in his eyes. He missed Hermione too.

"Sure." Harry said. "I'll be over as soon as I can." They walked back over to where the rest of the group was.

"Lav, you and the kids come with me, ok?" Ron said. Caitlyn looked at her father, and he waved her off with Ron.

"I'll be there in a little bit ok?" Harry assured her, and she nodded, glancing between him and Catherine. He knew she'd be asking questions later.

"You know, you don't need to see me home, I'll be fine." Catherine said, looking to where Ron and Lavender were disappearing out the door.

"Nonsense." Harry waved his hand. "It's almost two am, you're not riding in any sort of cab alone at this hour."

Catherine was flattered at his concern. "Thanks." She said. Harry touched her arm lightly and steered her out. He quickly managed to flag down one of the taxis and they sat inside. Catherine told the driver her address and the cab lurched away.

"You tired?" Harry asked.

"A little." She replied. "I'm up this late usually anyways, so it's not too bad."

A few moments later, the taxi pulled up in front of her flat. Harry paid the driver and they got out.

"You didn't have to pay him for me," Catherine said as he walked beside her to the door. "I have money with me."

"I don't mind." Harry said. Catherine pulled out her keys and moved to unlock her door.

"Drat!" she said as she dropped the keys on the ground. "I told you, I'm hopeless." She said as she leaned over to get them. Unfortunately, Harry leaned over at the same time and they knocked heads for the second time that evening, this time a lot harder than before.

"Ouch!" they both said in unison. Catherine tried to straighten up and found herself stumbling forward. Harry caught her and held her up by her arms.

"Are you all right?" he asked anxiously.

"Yeah…I'll be fine. " she replied. She looked up and realized how close they were to each other. His hand left her arm and a second later she felt his fingertips lightly graze her forehead where it had hit his. Catherine felt dizzy as she looked into his eyes, which at the moment deep pools of emerald green; his face neared hers. He was going to kiss her, she realized, and she wanted him to. Swallowing hard, she closed her eyes in anticipation of his lips on hers.

Instead, she felt his hair brush her forehead, and she opened her eyes to see him step back from her.

"I'm sorry." Harry said. "I…I can't…"

"No, it's okay…" she tried to say.

Harry sighed. "Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

Catherine nodded, a bit disappointed. "Yeah. Grace is a nurse at St. Mungo's, she can make this bump go away tonight."

Harry nodded. "All right. I'll see you later then?"

"Sure." She said. He gave her arm one final squeeze, then he apparated away. Catherine sighed and opened the door, then went inside and locked it behind her, wondering what had just happened out there.

Harry apparated into Ron and Lavender's home, which was near Ottery St. Catchpole. Ron and Lavender had just entered their kitchen and Lavender was making some tea.

"So?" Ron asked, not beating around the bush. Harry dropped into a chair and buried his head in his hands.

"I don't know yet." He replied. "She looks and acts just like Hermione, but it's like a Hermione pod person."

"What's a pod person?" asked Ron.

"It's like, someone who looks and acts like the person they've taken over. Like, she loves to read, she works in a bookstore…" Harry told Ron and Lavender about the conversation between the two of them that night (leaving out the Steel Magnolias part, he knew he'd never hear the end of that from Ron), and finished up by telling them about how they almost kissed. Ron looked dumbfounded.

"You almost kissed her?" he shouted. Lavender slapped his arm and shushed him.

"Don't wake up the kids!" she said in a low tone of voice.

"Sorry." Ron apologized. "How did that come about?" he asked Harry.

"Well," Harry began. "We bumped heads, and when she stood back up she sort of fell forward and I caught her…something in her eyes just told me that I was holding Hermione again. I caught myself just before I kissed her…. it just wasn't the right time yet." He looked back up at Ron and Lavender. "Should I have?"

"No." Lavender said firmly. "What if you had and it scared her off, then you might never find out."

Harry nodded, thankful that he had friends like this to be here for him. "I'm tired." He said. "Where am I sleeping tonight?"

"Guest bedroom." Ron said. "It's down the hall, second door on the left."

Harry stood up and stretched. "Thanks. I've got a busy day ahead of me tomorrow…I've decided to move back here and I need to find a flat for Caitlyn and I."

Ron had a huge grin on his face. "That's great!" he said happily. "I don't have to work tomorrow so I can help you if you want."

"Sure!" Harry replied. "Good night." He left the room and headed down the hall, peeking into Blue's room where he and Caitlyn were sleeping in the bunk beds.

Bending over her in the bottom bunk, he kissed her forehead gently and left the room again. He found the guest room and fell onto the bed, still in his clothes. Thoughts rampaged through his mind, of Catherine, and of Hermione.

'When will I ever find out the truth?' he wondered to himself. Miles away, Catherine was thinking the exact same thing.

(A/N: Well, there's some interaction for you, I do hope you enjoyed it. Sometime soon in one of these chapters, you guys will find out the truth too ;) Please R/R and let me know what you think! Thanks!)

5. Revelations and Moving

Chapter 5

(A/N: Thanks again to EVERYONE who reviewed, it's so appreciated, and it totally boosts my ego ;) I hope things haven't been too dull so far, and I am hoping to take things darker and give some insight on what happened to Hermione. Happy reading!)

Catherine hated it when she had dreams like this. She saw herself, walking alone. The street was wet and rather poorly lit, and she was walking quickly as if she was avoiding someone. 'But was it really her?' she tried to get closer to the woman walking. She had a large bag slung over her shoulder, her bushy light brown hair was tied back in a messy ponytail, and she looked pale and tired.

"Why am I seeing this, that's not me, is it?" the woman looked remarkably like her except for the hair and skin tone. She shifted her arm back and Catherine saw some writing stitched onto her white coat. 'Dr. Granger.' Catherine read silently. The woman halted, and stood still. A tall figure in a dark cloak with a hood was striding towards her. Catherine saw her hand go in her pocket and grip a long slim object- her wand.

"Granger..." The figure hissed. Hermione froze in fear.

"Go away." She tried to say without her voice shaking. "You're finished, my husband took away all that you were. You can't do anything to me." She pulled her wand fully out of her pocket, aware that they were standing on a Muggle street, but the need to protect herself was greater.

The figure in the cloak snarled again and leapt at Hermione. She screamed and the person pressed their hand over her mouth. She bit it and he pulled back and slapped her.

"Bitch!" it spat. It yanked her wand out of her hand and threw it across the street. "You'll pay for that!" It pulled out it's own wand and pointed it at Hermione, who was still laying on her back on the sidewalk.

"Alieno cunctus!" A beam of red light shot into Hermione's body and jolted her violently. She went limp onto the sidewalk; the figure grabbed her body like it was a sack and tossed her over it's shoulder, then disappeared into the night.

Catherine sat up with a gasp, her forehead was covered in sweat and her heart was pounding madly. 'What the hell was that?' she thought. A stream of sunlight came full force through her window and shone in her eyes, making her head pound. Groaning, she threw back her coverlet and pulled on a robe over her pajamas.

Walking into the kitchen, she saw Grace huddled over at the table. "Morning."

Grace's head snapped back. "You scared me!" she said.

"Sorry." Catherine said. "So what happened to you last night?" she asked, getting a cup down from the cabinet and putting the kettle on for some tea.

"Last night? Oh right, the club…" Grace was obviously hung over, Catherine realized, a little amused. "Who was that guy you were with?"

Grace smiled. "His name is Justin Finch Fletchley, he's 32, and gorgeous."

"Justin Finch Fletchley…" Catherine said, biting her lower lip. "Misuse of Muggle Artifacts at the Ministry of Magic right?" she said.

Grace stared at her strangely. "How did you know that?" Catherine looked perplexed.

"I have no idea…" she said, pouring the hot water over the tea bag in her cup. She brought it over to the table and sat down, Grace still staring at her.

"What?" Catherine asked. "I swear, that just popped into my head." Grace leaned back in her chair.

"I'm sorry about the Floo Powder thing…when we left I couldn't find you anywhere and I assumed you had some with you."

"It's all right. I was a bit miffed at you at first but I got a ride with someone."

"Who?" Grace was interested.

Catherine looked at her and a grin broke out on her face. "You'll never believe me if I tell you."

"Oh come on!" Grace wheedled. "I told you who I was with."

Catherine took a sip of tea and sat back. "Harry Potter." Grace's mouth fell open.

"You're serious." Catherine nodded.

"How can you be so calm, you got a ride home with Harry Potter!" Grace almost shouted. "You sat in the same car as him?"

"We also knocked heads a few times." Catherine said matter of factly, and her face turned red when she thought of the scene that had taken place right on her doorstep.

"You're blushing." Grace said immediately. "What else did you two do?"

"Nothing!" Catherine protested, but she felt the heat in her cheeks rise.

"Liar." Grace said. "You were snogging with him!" her eyes grew bright with excitement.

"I was not!" Catherine said, a little too quickly.

"Right." Grace leaned back and smirked.

Catherine rolled her eyes. "Fine." She said. "We ALMOST did."

"Really." Grace said. "Do tell me more."

Catherine wrapped her hands around the mug. "Well, after we knocked heads out there on the porch, I got a little dizzy and fell forward, he caught me and we were just, really close, and then I don't know, we almost kissed but he pulled back at the last second."

"Would you have kissed him?" Grace asked.

Catherine thought for a moment, and then a slight smile crossed her face. "Yes, I think I probably would have…"

Grace smiled at her for a moment, and then a shadow overtook her face.

"By the way…" she said. "Your favorite person stopped by here this morning. Bugger woke me up too."

Catherine looked at Grace. "Ugh, please don't tell me…"

"Yup. Duncan." Grace made a horrible face. "The cheating bastard himself."

"What did he want?"

Grace smirked. "He asked where you were and I told him you still weren't back from being out last night."

"Oh God." Catherine moaned. "Now next time he sees me he'll bug me about that. Honestly, you'd think I was the one who cheated and then broke things off!"

"You seem upset about it." Grace commented.

"Well, I guess you could say I'm more upset that I wasted two years with that git and then he went and cheated on me…" Catherine said. "I can honestly say I don't want anything to do with him at all anymore."

Grace patted her hand. "Good. " she gave Catherine a sly wink. "Besides, I daresay you've got one Harry Potter within your grasp now huh."

"Shut up would you?" Catherine laughed. "So tell me, how did Justin get home this morning?"

Grace's mouth snapped shut. "What are you talking about?" she asked, her face was now the one growing red.

"Come on, I know what goes on in your dates." Catherine said. "What time did he leave?"

"About an hour ago." Grace replied. "He had his own Floo Powder." She gave Catherine a quirky smile and went to put her own mug in the sink.

Catherine stared into her cup pensively. "I had such a strange dream last night."

"What about?" Grace asked, returning to the table.

Catherine pursed her lips. "Well, there was this woman, I thought she was me, but she had light brown hair and lighter skin…." She went on to describe the dream in as much detail as she could remember. Grace, for some reason, looked quite pale when Catherine finished.

"Wha... what do you think it all means?" Grace asked, looking at her intensely.

Catherine shrugged, not noticing the stare she was getting from Grace. "I have no idea. There was a name stitched on the coat…" Catherine tried in vain to remember what it said, but it had already slipped from her mind. "Damn." She said regretfully. "I've already forgotten the name!" she sighed. "And I was going to do some research on it today."

Grace leaned back in relief; her secret was safe for the time being. "What are you doing today?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

Catherine shrugged. "I don't know. I don't have to work, so I figured I'd just sit around and read today."

"Why don't you meet me for lunch over by the hospital?" Grace urged. "It's boring just sitting around here all day."

Catherine nodded thoughtfully. "I think I will. What time?"

"Say around one." Grace looked at her watch. "I've gotta go!" with that she apparated out.

Catherine drank the rest of her tea and put her empty up in the sink. She stretched her arms over her head and then headed towards the den, where she had left her book. Spying it on the end table, she picked it up and took it into the living room.

"Study of Advanced Transfiguration and Animagi." She read the cover to herself and smiled. Grace endlessly teased her on her choice of reading materials, but Catherine loved to learn, and she could never find enough to read and study about. She curled up in her chair and settled back for a few hours of reading.

***

Harry groaned and rolled over on the bed in Ron and Lavender's guest room. He fumbled his hand towards the nightstand and managed to locate his glasses, which he slipped on and blinked to adjust his focus.

"Ughremplsh" he muttered. A girlish giggle brought him from his sleepy haze. He sat back up and watched as a tangle of brown hair attached to a body propelled their self onto his bed and giggled again.

"Caty Cat!" he exclaimed, and he pulled her onto his lap and began tickling her.

"Dad!!" she shrieked. "Stop! I give!" she was laughing hysterically. He stopped tickling her and she pulled away and sat at the foot of the bed.

"You sleep well last night love?" Harry asked her.

"Yeah pretty well. " she made a face. "But Blue snores!"

Harry laughed out loud. "His dad used to snore too. Some nights in the dormitory he'd keep us up cause he sounded like a roaring lion."

"Oh, so funny Harry." Ron quipped, poking his head in the open door. "For your information, you weren't the quietest of sleepers either."

"Well we don't need to go there do we?" Harry joked. He looked at his daughter again. "What's up?"

She bit her lip, looking a bit subdued. She held out a picture, which Harry instantly recognized as one of his and Hermione's wedding portraits.

"Where did you get that?" Harry asked, taking it from her and gazing on it. The Harry in the photo had his arms around the photo Hermione's waist, and was trying to nuzzle her on the neck, while she grinned for the camera.

"Uncle Ron gave it to me." Caitlyn replied. Harry gazed at the picture again, and when he looked back up, she was staring at him with the strangest expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, concerned.

Caitlyn bit her lip again and took a deep breath. "That lady in the bookstore, even though she has dark hair and she's tanned, looks a lot like Mum."

Harry knew his daughter was smart; he figured he shouldn't be surprised that she had figured out that much on her own, there was too much of Hermione in her he realized again.

"Well…" Harry trailed off, looking for the right words. "I don't know how to really explain this to you…"

"Just tell me Dad." Caitlyn said, "I'm not a baby."

Harry gave her a half smile, "No, you certainly aren't." He patted the empty bed next to him and she scampered up next to him. "I think…I just think, I don't know, that Catherine, could be your mum." He watched as Caitlyn absorbed this info, and being the type of child she was, did not get over excited.

"Look, love, this is still a surprise for me too…" Harry reassured her. "And I promise, we won't rush into anything." He was relieved to see a small smile break out onto her face. "I have another surprise for you." He said.

"What?" Caitlyn asked.

"Well…I was thinking, since all this is going on, and since you'll be at Hogwarts soon, that we'd move? Somewhere here, or in Diagon Alley?" Harry looked at his daughter hesitantly. If she wanted to stay where they were, he would, no questions asked.

"Move here? Where I can do magic all the time?" she asked, a gleam coming into her eye.

"Well actually, Caty Cat, you can't do magic away from Hogwarts until you graduate. But here, you'll be closer to most of the friends you make there." Harry replied. 'And I'll have a better chance of finding your mum.' He thought silently.

Caitlyn mulled the idea over in her head. A lot of information was crossing through her little head, a bit overwhelming, but not overpowering. She realized she'd be closer to Blue and the people she had met last night at the club, and Caitlyn was hoping also that they'd get to see Oliver Wood again.

"Okay." She said. "I think moving around here would be fun." She gave her father a kiss on the cheek and scampered out of the room, presumably to play with Blue.

Harry sat back and stared at the doorway. He could understand Caitlyn's hesitation to accept the news that her mother in fact might be alive, and the fact also remained that they did not know why she was now living a different life, or how she came to be in this life. But he was happy she was willing to take part in his decisions, Harry would never do anything to intentionally make his daughter unhappy.

Harry threw back the covers and took a quick shower, then pulled on some jeans and a long sleeved dark blue t-shirt. He went down the hall into the kitchen, where Blue and Caitlyn were having breakfast, and Ron and Lavender were standing by the sink talking quietly. Harry chucked Caitlyn on the chin lightly as he walked by, and joined the adults by the counter.

"Morning." He said to them. Lavender beamed back at him.

"Good morning!" she said. "Coffee?"

"Oh that'd be great." Harry replied. "Ron, do you get the Daily Prophet?"

"Sure." Ron said, retrieving it from the table. "What do you need that for?"

"I need to look for a flat." Harry replied. "I thought I'd take Caty with me, since it'll be her place too."

"What?" Caitlyn piped up from the table. "I heard my name."

"We're going to go look for a flat together." Harry told her. "Once you're done with breakfast."

"Okay!!" she gobbled up the rest of her cereal and hopped out of the room to finish getting dressed.

Ron turned to Harry. "I hope it's okay that I gave her that picture of you and Hermione."

"It's fine, Ron." Harry replied. "She recognized Catherine as Hermione though, and I had to tell her about the whole situation."

Lavender's eyes widened and Ron looked shocked. "Wow she certainly got that quick thinking that Herm was so famous for huh."

Harry smirked. "She sure did. But it's okay, she's a smart kid, and she's accepted it pretty well. She's more excited about moving here than anything."

"Where are you going to look for a flat?" Lavender asked.

"Probably down in Diagon Alley." Harry replied. "I know you guys said it's over populated now but I don't mind too much, and Caty loves being in the center of things, even if she's a little shy." He and Ron laughed and Caitlyn reappeared, announcing she was ready. With thanks to Ron, Lavender, and Blue with plans to meet up for dinner that evening, Harry and Caitlyn took Floo Powder back to the Leaky Cauldron and walked through the entrance back to Diagon Alley.

"Let's see, there's a flat over there, not too bad, rental, well that's okay…" Harry muttered to himself. The two of them spent most of that morning picking over most of the flats that were listed in the Daily Prophet. By one, Caitlyn's feet were starting to drag, and Harry had to admit he was getting rather hungry.

"One more Caty Cat, and we'll have lunch ok?" Harry promised as they stopped in front of a building that looked vaguely familiar to him. He was pushing open the door when a person came walking out from the other side and directly into him.

"Ow!" Harry said, stumbling into the iron railing. He looked up and was extremely amused, to say the least, to find Catherine staring at him in embarrassment.

"We've really got to stop bumping into each other like that." He said good-naturedly.

"I'm so sorry!" Catherine was mortified. He had to be thinking she was the biggest clod by now.

"It's okay." Harry assured her. "I'm not made of glass thank goodness." He looked up at the apartment building again. "I thought this building looked familiar, I didn't recognize it in the daylight."

"What brings you by?" Catherine asked, regaining her composure.

"Oh, we're looking for a flat, actually." Harry said. "I'm moving back here, well, so I can be closer to friends, and Caty wants to live here while she goes to school so…"

Catherine smiled down at Caitlyn, who gave her a half smile in return and tugged on her father's hand.

"Dad can we hurry up and look please? I'm really hungry." She pouted.

"All right, all right." Harry chuckled. He looked back up at Catherine. "Would you mind if I dropped by sometime? Are you going to be home this afternoon?"

She nodded slowly. "I should be."

Harry smiled at her. "I'll see you around five then okay?" His emerald eyes warmed as they looked at her.

"Sure." She watched as they made their way into the building, Caitlyn pulling hard on her father's hand.

"Dad I thought we were going back to see Blue later!" she said.

"We are Caty. You'll get to see him plenty this year, don't worry!" Harry said.

"But I want to hang out with him now!"

"Caitlyn what's wrong?" Harry asked. He stopped in his tracks and kneeled down to face his daughter. He was surprised to find she had small tears in her eyes.

"Nothing!" she tried to jerk away from him but he held onto her arm.

"Caty Cat…" Harry said. "Tell me, what's wrong?"

She stopped trying to squirm away from him. She bit her bottom lip hard so she wouldn't cry, and took a deep breath.

"If that lady turns out to be Mum, will she come and live with us?"

Harry looked taken aback at her question. "Well, I should certainly think so, if she wants to that is."

Caitlyn hesitated before asking her next question. "Will you still love me as much if that happens?" her tears spilled over onto her cheeks.

Harry gathered his daughter in his arms and hugged her tightly. "Caty Cat, nothing in this world could possibly make me love you any less." He held her at arms length and looked at her. "And that's a promise."

She nodded and he hugged her again. "Now come on, let's go look at that place and see if we like it, then you can pick out where we go for lunch!"

A smile finally crossed her face. "Okay!" she said, feeling a lot better.

* * *

"That place was so cool!" Caitlyn said as they left the flat.

"I agree." Harry said. "Nice and roomy. I think it'd be perfect for us."

"Definitely a keeper." Caitlyn replied. "I like that room with the triangle windows."

"Well that's going to be MY room." Harry teased.

"No way!" Caitlyn argued. "Mine!"

"Oh all right!" Harry heaved a mock long suffering sigh as his daughter jumped up and hugged him. "Ack! If I can't breathe I can't get this place!" Harry said as her arms tightened around him.

"When can we move in?" she asked.

"You're eager aren't you?" Harry asked fondly.

"I can't wait to show Blue our new flat!" she said.

"Well, let's go have lunch." Harry said. "I didn't get a chance to have breakfast this morning. Then I'll drop you back off at Ron and Lavender's if you like, and I can get everything signed and moved over."

"Okay!" Caitlyn agreed. She picked out a restaurant that overlooked Diagon Alley from a small balcony on the second floor, and she and Harry had a very enjoyable lunch together. Around two, he took her back to Ron and Lavender's place.

"Dad?" she said as he was about to apparate back out.

"Yes love?" he asked, looking down at her.

"I'm really sorry about earlier." Caitlyn replied. "I know I was being a brat and I didn't mean to."

"Caty Cat, it's okay…I understand." Harry replied. She hugged him tightly and Blue hollered for her to come to his room, he wanted to show her how to play Exploding Snap.

"Go have fun." Harry said, smiling after his daughter. Ron looked up at him from the doorway.

"What was that all about?" he asked.

Harry sighed. "She got a little freaked out when we ran into Catherine earlier, seemed to think if she is Hermione, that I won't love her anymore."

"Poor kid. Hope you set her straight." Ron grinned.

Harry scoffed. "Of course I did you prat. I've got to go sign the papers for our flat, and then apparate back to our old one and get everything set to go. Shouldn't take me too long, I'll just use my wand."

"Want me to go help out?" Ron asked. Harry looked at him in surprise.

"Sure." He said. "That'd be great." Ron shouted to Lavender where he was going and the two men apparated out.

(A/N: Well not too much romance in that chapter, but we get to have Harry and Catherine meet up in the next one! That was all supposed to be one chapter but it was too long, so I made the father/daughter interaction in this one instead. Don't know when the next one will be up but probably soon. R/R and enjoy! :) )

6. Flashing Back

Chapter 6

A/N: I do apologize for that rather (well what I thought was) boring chapter, but I needed something to transition over with, and I wanted to play up a little more father/daughter stuff. There's definitely some H/C in this chapter for you guys!! Thanks again for reading and reviewing, it makes a world of difference in my writing! Oh and before I forget, ~* means flashback.)

Ron and Harry reappeared in Harry's Muggle flat. Harry took a moment to excuse himself to use the bathroom, and Ron took this opportunity to look around. 'It was definitely sparse and need a woman's touch.' Ron mused, looking over the shelves that contained books and Muggle movies. He thoughtfully conjured up a few boxes, they could shrink everything down to put them in there and then resize them in Harry's new flat. Ron smiled to himself as he reached up high on a shelf and pulled down a picture of him, Harry and Hermione right after they graduated from Hogwarts. In it, Ron was standing off to one side shaking his head at his two friends, who were snuggling even right in front of the camera. 'They had been inseparable even then,' Ron realized. 'Harry had it harder than I thought when she disappeared.'

"What are you doing?" a voice interrupted Ron's thoughts. Harry was standing at the doorway looking at him.

"Sorry mate." Ron said, starting to shrink things and put them into the boxes. Harry stepped past him and took the picture and looked at it for a long moment.

"That was a good time wasn't it?" Ron asked quietly. Harry nodded silently. He pressed his lips together and grabbed one of the boxes and started throwing things into it. Ron put a hand on his arm.

"Sit for a minute." Ron commanded, pushing Harry down on the sofa and sitting next to him. "Now that we are alone, I want you to tell me more about what's been going on."

Harry sighed. "What do you want to know?"

"Well for one thing, tell me more about this Catherine. I mean, why does she look like Hermione so much? And I want to know more about what happened between the two of you last night."

"Well…" Harry began. "Every time I'm around her, it's like I told you last night, I get this feeling about her, first it was shock but now, I feel exactly like I did around Hermione all the time."

"But…" Ron prodded.

"But I can't talk about Hermione to her, and I want to so badly!" Harry burst out. "I mean, if she's my wife, I want to know!" he stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. "Sorry, I didn't mean to yell like that."

"It's all right." Ron said.

"I just keep wondering whether or not I should say something to her." Harry said. He turned and faced Ron. "What do you think?"

"Well, I cant' tell you what to say or do in this situation. I will help you in any way I can, I promise you that though." Ron said sincerely.

"Thanks." Harry said. "Well we'd better get cracking."

As they shrank things and packed quickly, Harry filled Ron in on everything he encountered so far with Catherine, including details on their almost kiss.

"Why didn't you kiss her?" Ron asked.

Harry stopped what he was doing and looked up at Ron. "I really don't know. I wanted to, but something stopped me. What if she had gotten freaked out and left, and then I would never find out if she's Herm."

"Harry…" Ron started. "Don't take this the wrong way…but you seem to think that Catherine is like a piece of glass."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"She won't break if you kiss her. She won't fall apart if you ask her questions about her past."

Harry pressed his lips together. "You know, you're right." He nodded. "I'm meeting her later today…I'll ask her some questions about her past, and hopefully find out more about what happened."

Ron nodded, happy that his friend was finally taking charge. They moved more quickly around the rooms now, getting everything they could fit into the boxes. Ron moved into Harry's living room.

"What's this for?" he shouted to Harry who was in the kitchen.

"What?" Harry asked, coming into the living room. "Oh, that's my piano."

"Piano?" Ron asked. "Why do you have one of these?"

Harry looked at him for a moment. "I play piano in a Muggle bar on the weekend." He said as matter of factly as possible.

Ron guffawed loudly. "You're kidding."

"No, really." Harry said. "And I'll have you know I'm quite good too. So don't laugh!" he pointed a finger at Ron who looked ready to start rolling on the floor. He choked back his laughter at the threatening look on Harry's face and shrank the piano down.

"I'll take that." Harry said, coming forward, and Ron deposited the piano onto Harry's palm. The two men worked some more, Ron letting off a loud snigger now and then.

"So…" Harry said, trying to stop Ron from smirking at him. "Speaking of assholes…"

"Hey!" Ron said, looking indignant. "I am not!"

"Tell me more about what happened to Malfoy after Voldemort was gone." Harry continued, ignoring Ron's outburst.

Ron made a horrible face. "That jackass…I hadn't seen him in the longest time up until yesterday. You know how he lost everything after you defeated Voldemort, well after you left the wizarding world, he just sort of reappeared out of nowhere."

Harry twisted his mouth in disgust. "He deserved every bad thing that came his way after that whole situation. Pretending to be on our side then turning us over to Voldemort the way he did. He's lucky I didn't kill him."

Ron sneered. "He still acts like he's Slytherin royalty too. Now that Crabbe and Goyle are who knows where, he's not got anyone to protect him. I mean, that was so great when we beat the shit out of him yesterday!"

Both men laughed heartily at the memory of smashing up Malfoy's ugly pointed face. Surveying the apartment as soon as they were able to regain their composure, they were both satisfied that nothing was left behind. Harry quickly went down to sign release papers for his Muggle flat, and then when he returned the two men apparated back out to Ron's.

Harry checked his watch. "Three thirty." He said. "I have to get back over to the new flat to sign it over. Hand me the boxes." Ron gave him the boxes he held and Harry shrank those down to fit into his pocket.

"Tell Caty Cat I'll come back when I'm done, and we can set up our new place." Harry said to Ron, who nodded and waved him out. Harry reappeared in the office of his new flat, and the landwizard had all the papers ready for him to sign.

"Thanks so much." Harry said to him, shaking his hand.

"Oh, most certainly my pleasure Mr. Potter!" the man bumbled. Harry half smiled, he still hated it when people made a fuss over him. He was happy to escape the confines of the office, and quickly apparated back to Ron's to get Caitlyn and head back to the new flat. Ron and Lavender offered to come over and help him set everything up, and Harry graciously accepted their offer. He realized it was getting late and he still wanted to meet with Catherine that evening before dinner.

"Ron!" Harry called out, stepping into the kitchen, which surprisingly, Lavender had almost completely set up for him.

"He went out to the top of the building with the kids for a minute." She said, turning around. Harry surveyed the kitchen.

"Lav, you did a great job. I can't thank you enough." He said to her. Lavender beamed.

"So what's up?" she asked.

"I have a huge favor to ask of you guys…" Harry ran a hand through his messy hair. "I promised Catherine I'd meet her at five, and it's four fifteen now…would you guys be willing to watch Caty for me for a little while? I promised her we'd all go to dinner tonight, but I have to do this first…"

Lavender looked at him and narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. "What's going on with you two?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't know. I'm trying to find out, I guess." A small smile appeared on his face. Lavender walked over to him and patted his shoulder.

"I really hope everything works out Harry." Lavender said kindly. "I mean, I know we weren't friends at Hogwarts, but once we got out, she and I got to be pretty close. I'd love to have her back again too."

"Thanks Lav." Harry said, hugging her. "And I can't tell you how much I appreciate having you and Ron around again. I mean, I've only been back a day and you two have bent over backwards to help me and Caty adjust."

"Well, we've missed you a lot Harry. And if there's a chance that this girl IS Hermione, I want you to go for it!" Lavender said. She pushed him towards the door. "Go get yourself ready!"

Harry grinned and disappeared into the bedroom that he and Ron had set back up. He showered quickly and pulled on a pair of dark blue pants and a sky blue shirt. He tried to tame down his messy raven colored locks, but they were as stubborn as they ever were.

Ron had come back to the flat with the kids by the time Harry finished getting ready. He walked back into the kitchen, where he watched in amusement as Blue and Caitlyn both hopped on one foot, trying to outdo one another.

"You two…" Harry said as he grabbed his daughter around her middle and scooped her up. "Are completely goofy."

"Dad!!" she squealed.

"Hah! I won!" Blue shouted.

"No you didn't!" Caitlyn argued. "We have to start over, I didn't stop on my own!"

She wiggled out of Harry's arms and pushed Blue into the other room. "We'll do it in here where no one will bother us!"

Harry looked at Ron and Lavender who both shrugged. "I just don't' know." Harry said. "I don't think she'll miss me for a little while."

Ron shook his head in agreement. "Remember what I told you earlier…" He said seriously.

Harry nodded. "I will." He replied. 'I definitely want to take a few risks tonight…' he thought.

Downstairs one floor, Catherine had just taken notice of the time and was panicking. She hastily threw aside articles of clothing before deciding on a light blue three quarter sleeved shirt and black pants. She threw her hair back into a long ponytail and quickly slicked some gloss on her lips. Not even a moment later, she heard a knock at her door.

Before opening the door, she took a deep breath and cast a quick glance in the mirror, which told her she looked fine.

"Hi." She said, as Harry's frame appeared in the doorway.

Harry grinned at her. "Hello." He replied. He had a hand behind his back.

She opened the door wider. "Come on in." she said, stepping aside so he could enter.

"Thanks." He said. "This is for you." Harry brought his hand out from behind his back, clutched in his fist was a single yellow buttercup, which had been Hermione's favorite flower.

A smile spread across her face. "Thank you!" she exclaimed, her cheeks tingeing pink. She took it from him and touched the silky petal. Harry was extremely glad now that he had brought it, as he was about to walk out the door, Lavender insisted he bring a flower, and had transfigured it out of a pencil.

"Come on, we'll go in the kitchen while I put it in water." She was saying.

"As you wish, my lady." Harry quipped, following her.

She looked back at him and arched an eyebrow. "Who are you today, Wesley?" she asked, giving him a quirky smile.

"I'm impressed." Harry said. "You knew where that came from."

"Of course I did." She replied, filling up a small glass vase with water and sticking the flower inside. "You've already forgotten I'm the Muggle movie queen."

They grinned at each other for a moment, followed by a slightly awkward silence.

Catherine took a deep breath. "So, what brought you over today?" she asked.

Harry scratched his head. "Well, a few things I guess. Caty and I moved in upstairs just this afternoon."

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Already?"

"Yup." Harry said. "Ron, you remember him right, he came and helped us get things packed, then his wife Lavender came over and helped us set everything back up. Caty and their son Blue get along really well, which helps everything out a lot."

"That's really nice." Catherine said. She looked at the bright yellow buttercup in it's vase again. She touched it lightly once more.

~*She was lying on the couch in their living room, one hand propped on her stomach, the other holding up a paperback book that she was reading intently. She was so involved in her book that she did not notice a figure sneaking up behind her.

"Boo!" said a deep voice right into her ear.

She jumped and her book fell onto the floor. "Harry!"

He grinned and sat down on the couch next to her. She smiled back up at him, the impish look in his green eyes always made her want to melt inside.

"How are you feeling today?" he asked her, putting his hand on top of her own that was still resting on her stomach.

"Just a little sickness this morning, and then I felt better this afternoon." She replied. He moved her hand and pressed his lips to her belly that was slowly beginning to show signs of life inside. He moved up, kissing her on her sensitive spot where her neck turned into her shoulder, moving up to her throat, and finally capturing her lips with his own.

She eagerly responded to him, parting her lips to allow his tongue to enter her mouth and mingle with her own. Her hands slid into his thick hair and he used his free hand to cup the side of her face.

"Harry…" she pulled her mouth away from his. "This is how we started last time, and look what happened." She pulled one hand from his head and patted her stomach. Harry reluctantly sat back.

"I know. I just can't resist you." He grinned. She raised one hand and stroked the side of his face gently. Harry leaned down and picked something up off the floor.

"What's that?" she asked, trying to turn onto her side.

"Nope." Harry said, putting his hand on her cheek and preventing her from turning to look.

"What are you doing?" she asked, a half smile coming across her face.

"Close your eyes." He commanded gently. She obliged, and he leaned forward and kissed her on the lips once more. He then brought his hand in front of him; in it he had a single perfect yellow buttercup. He brushed it across her lips and her cheeks, the silky petals trailing smoothly across her skin.

"Okay, you can open them now." He said. As her eyes opened, he took her hand and set the buttercup in her grip.

"It's beautiful." She said. He knew buttercups were her favorite flower in the world. "Where did you find such a perfect flower?"

Harry smiled. "Well, it may look perfect on the outside, but it's what is inside that counts." He peeled back one of the petals. "It took me far too long to see what a perfect flower I had right in front of me for so long." He peeled back another petal. "In fact, I was such a fool that I almost missed my chance…" he peeled back the remaining three petals and she gasped. Inside the flower was a beautiful gold ring with a sparkling one-carat diamond inside. Harry held out the flower to her and she took the ring.

"Make me the happiest man alive and marry me." He said, his emerald eyes burning into hers.

Tears fell from her eyes as she tried to regain her powers of speech. He took the ring from her hand.

"Oh God yes, Harry!" she said. "Of course I'll marry you, you prat!" she threw her arms around him tightly.

"You had me worried there for a second." He joked. He slipped the ring onto her finger and leaned in to kiss her again…*~

Catherine gripped the edge of the counter tightly as her head pounded from the images flashing through her mind. 'What is going on?' she thought.

"Are you all right?" Harry's concerned voice startled her from her reverie. She shook her head to try and clear her thoughts.

"Yeah. I…I'm fine, just got dizzy there for a second." She lied, she didn't want to tell him about what she had just experienced. "I think I need to sit down for a moment."

Harry swiftly moved to her side and guided her to a chair, into which she sat down gratefully.

"Do you need anything? Water?" he asked worriedly, she looked a little peaked.

"Yes, water would be nice, thanks. Glasses are up above the sink." She replied. He quickly got her a glass of water and she gulped some down and seemed to finally relax a little.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Harry asked again.

She nodded, feeling stronger now. "Yes, I'm fine, I promise." She replied. "It's just been a very strange day."

"How so?" he asked.

"Well, I had the strangest dream last night and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day."

"What was it about?" he asked.

Catherine sat back in her chair and rubbed her forehead. "Well, it started off with me, well I really don't know if it was me or not…" she told him all the details she could remember. "And what frustrates me the most is I can't remember the name I saw on the coat, or what name the person with the hood said. All I can remember is that it started with a 'G'." she finished with a sigh.

Harry felt a strong flicker of hope. "Can you tell me what the person looked like?" he asked, leaning forward across the table.

Catherine frowned and tried hard to think back. "Well…she was kind of pale I think, oh, but her hair, I remember that now, it was a light brown color, kind of bushy and she had it in a ponytail. Oh, and she wore a white lab coat too."

Harry leaned back, his breath coming in short gasps. This was really more than he ever hoped for.

"But I've been repeating what the person said all day just so I wouldn't forget it." Catherine said. "Alieno Cunctus." She looked at Harry quizzically. "I've read a lot of books in my time, but I've never heard of that curse before."

"Me either." Harry managed to say. The two of them sat in silence for a moment before Harry looked up at the clock on the wall.

"Oh crap. I'm afraid I have to go, Caty and I are going to dinner tonight with Ron and his family." Harry hesitated a moment and ran his hand through his hair. "Look, the real reason I came over, about last night…"

"Look, it's okay." Catherine said, brushing her hand aside as if the whole situation was no big deal.

"No, I mean, I just want you to know, it's not that I didn't want to um kiss you…but I uh…" Harry fumbled around looking for the right words. "Well, I'd rather take you to dinner or something before that step…" he turned a bright red color.

"You…you want to take me out?" Catherine asked hesitantly.

"If you'd like." Harry said, looking up from where he had been studying his shoes.

Catherine tried to breathe without breaking out into an all too eager smile. "Sure, I would like that a lot." She managed to say without squeaking.

"Really?" he seemed almost disbelieving. "Okay! Um…how about tomorrow evening? I'll pick you up around seven thirty?"

"That sounds fine." She said in her controlled voice. She smiled at him and he broke out into a grin.

"Great!" he said, moving towards the hallway. She walked out to the front door behind him.

"I'll see you tomorrow then." She said. "I'm looking forward to it."

"I am too." He said. He paused for a moment as if he were contemplating something, and leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, leaving his lips there for a split second longer than necessary. "Bye." he said, walking out the door.

Catherine stared at the doorway for a long moment after he left, her hand pressed to the spot where his lips had just been. Oh, she had it bad.

Harry strode back into his apartment, he was feeling really good right now. Ron and Lavender were in his living room with the two kids. Lavender had managed to get Blue washed up and dressed in some clean clothes, and Caty had obviously gotten herself dressed in some of her new robes.

Ron looked up from the floor where he was teaching Caitlyn how to play wizard's chess.

"How'd everything go?" he asked. Harry smiled but shook his head at Ron as if to tell him he'd fill him in later.

"Are we ready to go?" Lavender asked. "I thought we'd go to Hogsmeade tonight? You haven't been back to the Three Broomsticks yet Harry."

Harry nodded. "Sounds good to me. I've missed butterbeer." He said. Lavender giggled.

"I don't know if Ron likes it so much anymore!" she laughed even harder. "Last time we were there…let's just say he had too much." Ron grumbled and grabbed his wife around her middle.

"Yeah, but I got to keep you up all night." He said, kissing her on the nose and then on her lips.

"Gross!" Blue shouted from the floor. Caitlyn was watching them with stars in her eyes.

Ron had connected Harry's fireplace with the Floo Network while he had been up with Catherine, so all they had to do was grab some powder and in about five minutes all of them had tumbled out of the fireplace at the Three Broomsticks.

Madam Rosmerta was pleased to see Harry again after so long, and delighted in meeting Caitlyn. She gave them all a free round of butterbeer, and they perused the new menus and ordered their dinner as well. It had definitely been the best night Harry had had in a long time.

Late that night, long after Lavender had gone home with Blue to tuck him into bed, Harry and Ron sat at the table in Harry's new kitchen.

"I may need your help on something." Harry said to Ron. He filled him in on the details of Catherine's dream. "I know it must be her. That dream, I mean, what if that was what happened to Herm? And that curse, I've never heard of it before."

Ron nodded, deep in thought. "Well, I'll ask around at the Ministry tomorrow. Someone there has got to know something about that."

"I appreciate it Ron. More than you'll ever know." Harry said. Ron smiled at him reassuringly.

"We'll get to the bottom of this. If she's Hermione, we'll find out soon." Ron said determinedly.

Harry grinned back at him. "I asked her out today too." He said, his grin growing wider.

Ron's eyes widened. "Way to go mate!" he said.

Harry nodded. "I don't know where I'll take her yet…but this gives me more of a chance to get to know her…" he sat back in his chair and looked thoughtfully at the ceiling. "I really like her, regardless if she's Hermione or not."

"That's cool." Ron said. He looked at his watch. "Well I've got to get home, I'll let you know as soon as possible if anything comes up about that curse."

"Thanks again." Harry said. Ron grinned and apparated out.

Harry went to his bedroom and fell onto his bed. He stared up at the ceiling and grinned once more as he thought about what the next evening might have in store.

(A/N: Well I hope that chapter was more enjoyable…as you all know what's next to come ;) Yay! Please don't forget to R/R, it helps to know what you guys think, and it makes me more enthused to write! Later!)

7. *First* Date Blunders

Chapter 7

A/N: Wow you guys; I can't thank you enough for all the kind reviews you've been giving me! It really boosts my ego ;) heehee. This is an all H/C chapter, I hope you guys like it!!!

Catherine was dreaming again. Although this time it was different, no sinister settings invaded her mind, in fact, this dream was quite pleasant. Once again, she saw the woman, who she had come to think of as herself for some reason she had yet to comprehend, and she was sitting on a light colored wool blanket on the beach. There was an umbrella stuck in the sand next to her, underneath which sat a baby in a mobile car seat. The baby in it felt familiar to Catherine, it had a patch of brown hair on it's head and brilliant green eyes. She watched as the woman made faces at the baby and talked to it in gibberish.

"Who's my beautiful baby?" the woman cooed, taking the baby from the seat. "How big is my wittle Caty Cat?"

Catherine felt shocked to hear this, was this Harry's daughter? At that moment, a familiar shadow fell over the woman and the baby.

"Well if it isn't my two favorite women in the whole world!" Harry cried, swooping up his daughter, who shrieked in delight. The woman on the towel laughed. Harry grinned at her, and Catherine felt her heart melt at his smile. He sat down next to her and kissed her on the cheek.

"And how are YOU feeling today love?" he asked her, setting the baby on the blanket and putting his arms around her.

"I feel better than I have in ages…" the woman answered. She and Harry leaned in and kissed softly….

"Uhhh…." Catherine said, sitting up and wiping her eyes. "Why is it always the nice dreams that are interrupted?" she stretched, her long frame sliding down the bed, her arms hitting the headboard. She glanced at the clock, only five thirty. She had not gotten much sleep the night before, mostly out of the combination of excitement of her date with Harry, and the fear of having a horrible dream like the one she had had before. That morning when she had gone to work, she'd felt sluggish and tired; her nap had done wonders, as she felt completely refreshed. Grabbing her robe from the back of a chair, she walked into her bathroom and set the taps for a bubble bath. Grabbing her wand, she muttered the spell for a rose scented bath, and was about to step in when a knock sounded at the door. She groaned silently and tied her robe back on.

"So where is he taking you?" Grace asked when Catherine had opened the door.

"For the millionth time, I don't know yet." Catherine rolled her eyes. "Somewhere to eat."

"Cool." Grace replied, undaunted. "What are you wearing?"

"That I have no clue either." Catherine admitted. Grace got that look in her eye that sometimes scared Catherine. "What are you planning?" she asked warily.

"Come to my room when you're done." Grace simply said. She turned and left the bathroom. Catherine stepped into the tub and laid back. She closed her eyes and inhaled the strong rose scent as she relaxed for a good half hour. She got out and dried herself off, then reluctantly headed for Grace's room to see what she had in store.

"It's about time." Grace remarked. "Here, I bought this a few weeks ago, it would look perfect on you for tonight." She held up a beautiful peach colored dress, it was strapless; the skirt fell to about 4 inches above the knee when Catherine held it up against herself.

"It's gorgeous!" Catherine said. "For once, you actually picked out something that I like." She joked. It was a known fact that Grace's clothing tastes ran far skimpier than Catherine's.

"It's more your color than mine anyway." Grace replied, looking at Catherine's reflection intently. "Go now, go get dressed." She winked at her.

Catherine smiled and went back into her own room. She pulled the dress on and was pleased to see how it flattered her figure. She cast the drying spell on her hair, pulling it up into a French twist that accentuated the curve of her neck. She fished around in her jewelry box and found a pair of diamond studs that she only wore on special occasions. After that came makeup, and after a few twists and turns in the mirror, she decided she was ready.

"Wow!" Grace said as Catherine stepped into the living room. "I hope he's taking you somewhere fancy, you look gorgeous!"

Catherine blushed. "Thanks Grace." She sat down in a chair; it was seven on the dot. "I hope this half hour goes quick."

Meanwhile, a floor above, Harry was rushing around his flat trying to get ready.

"Where is my white dress shirt?" Harry tore around his room tossing things around. He finally located the shirt stuffed in the back of the closet, all wrinkled and crumpled into a ball. "Thanks for unpacking my clothes nice Ron." Harry muttered under his breath as he tapped his wand on the shirt and it straightened out smooth in his hand. He pulled it on hastily, and then his black dress pants went on. He liberally sprayed cologne over his torso, and again attempted to pull a comb through his hair.

"Ouch!" he cried. "Forget this!" he threw the comb down and ran his fingers through his hair. 'Talk about fighting a losing battle…' he thought sourly. He glanced at the clock, seven fifteen. He took one last glance in the mirror hanging on the wall. His shirt was tucked in nicely, and he had somehow managed to put on a tie. His pants had the perfect crease down the center, and even though his hair was sticking out all over, his eyes were shining with excitement. He left the bedroom and strode down the hallway.

"Looking good Dad." Caitlyn called from the living room as he passed by. He stopped and looked in on her.

"Thanks Caty Cat." He smiled down at his daughter. "Are you all ready to spend the night over at Blue's?"

"Yup." She replied. She had her overnight bag sitting next to her.

"You don't mind do you?" he asked. He felt bad leaving her a lot since they had gotten back, especially after he discovered how she had been feeling. Ever since they had their chat, she'd been a lot more receptive of the situation. He ruffled her hair affectionately.

"I hope you have fun tonight Dad." She said. It made her happy to see her father in good spirits again. She knew how much he missed her mum; it had usually put a damper on his good moods.

"You don't mind me leaving you here for a few minutes do you?" Harry asked her. "I have to get going in a moment, and Ron said he might be a bit late, he's coming right from work."

Caitlyn rolled her eyes. "Dad I'll be fine home alone for two minutes." Harry smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry Caty Cat. I know you'll be fine." He fixed a button on his shirtsleeve as he went to the kitchen and pulled out a box from Frieda's Flower Shoppe in downtown Diagon Alley. Inside was a single white rose; Frieda guaranteed it to bloom for at least two weeks. He gingerly picked it up so that he wouldn't smash it, and carried it from the bottom of it's stem.

"All right I'll come and pick you up tomorrow morning ok?" Harry called into the room.

"Okay!" Caitlyn called back. She giggled to herself as she watched her father rush out the door. Not a moment later she was startled as the fireplace whooshed to life and Ron stepped out.

"Hi Caty." Ron said. "Did your dad leave?" he asked.

"Yeah, you just missed him." She replied.

"Crap." Ron muttered. It looked as if he'd have to wait till tomorrow to talk to him. Ron had found out some things about the curse Harry had mentioned to him, and needed to talk as soon as possible. "Wait for me just a minute while I leave him a note."

Ron went into the kitchen and found a scrap piece of paper and a quill lying on the counter.

--Harry, found out about the curse, MUST talk to you as soon as I can, it's VERY important! Ron -

Ron lifted his troubled eyes from the paper and placed it in a spot where Harry would be sure to see it when he got home. He forced a smile onto his face for Caitlyn's benefit as he walked back into the living room.

"Ready?" he asked her. He took her bag, and then threw some more Floo Powder into the fire. Already a seasoned traveler, Caitlyn easily shouted the name of Ron's house and he followed, troubled thoughts and all.

Harry was standing at Catherine's door, taking a deep breath. He hadn't felt this nervous about a date in a long time, he had gone out with women occasionally over the years, but the thought of Hermione always kept him from having a serious relationship with anyone else. He supposed one of the reasons he felt so anxious was because of the fact that he believed this woman was his beloved. Harry raised one shaky hand and knocked on the door. Immediately he heard a crash and some muffled laughter. A moment later, the door was flung open and a pretty blond woman was standing in front of him.

"I take it you're Harry!" she said, holding out one hand. "I'm Grace, Catherine's roommate. Unfortunately, she's just taken a spill off her chair when she realized you were here, and I get to take her place!"

"GRACE!" a voice bellowed from the direction of the living room. Catherine appeared in the hallway, her face beet red and she was shaking her head at her roommate. Harry felt time freeze for a moment as he looked at her, the color of the dress she was wearing offset her skin tone so well, and her glossy hair was elaborately done. He felt underdressed next to her, she was gorgeous.

"I'm sorry…" she was apologizing as she stepped up to him. He finally shook himself of his daze and smiled back at her.

"That's all right." He said. He turned to Grace. "It's nice to meet you," he said, and shook her hand. She smiled back at him.

"I was just kidding before. You two have fun tonight!" she said, and pushed the both of them out the door.

"Wow." Harry said, staring at the now closed door. "She's certainly um…. energetic?" he looked at Catherine.

"You have no idea." Catherine replied, rolling her eyes. "I hope I'm not too overdressed or anything…" she said, tugging unconsciously on the bottom of the dress she was wearing.

"Oh no, it's fine…you look amazing…" Harry said. He held out the rose. "This is for you."

"Oh, thank you!" she said, taking the rose. She lifted it up to her nose and sniffed it deeply. "It's beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it." Harry smiled. "Frieda told me it should bloom for two weeks."

"Ahhh…Frieda's flowers are the best." Catherine agreed. Harry took her arm.

"We should go," he said. "I have reservations at eight at Moonspun Menagerie."

Catherine was impressed. "How on earth did you manage to get reservations there?" she asked as they made their way outside.

"Oh, begged and pleaded…" Harry winked at her. "I also dropped my name…." They both laughed.

"It's such a nice night." She commented, looking up at the fading blue sky. "Sometimes in the evening I like to sit on the roof of our building and just look at the sky."

Harry added this to his mental list of similarities. When she was pregnant with Caitlyn, he and Hermione had often sat on their rooftop and stargazed.

"Yeah, maybe we should do that sometimes." Harry suggested. She agreed, and then in a surprising move, linked her arm through his. They walked the rest of the way to the restaurant in a comfortable camaderie, chatting all the while.

"Reservations under Potter." Harry said to the maitre d, who lifted back his head and stared down his nose at them. His eyes flicked up to Harry's forehead, and his own grew wide.

"Right this way Mr. Potter!" he said, suddenly friendly. Harry turned to Catherine behind the maitre d's back and did a haughty impression, which sent her into hysterics. The man turned to find out what was so funny, and Harry quickly straightened up while she swallowed her giggles. They followed him to the back of the restaurant. Harry looked around and figured out just why it was so hard to get a reservation here.

The restaurant was very small and intimate, there were no electric lights at all, and everything was lit by candles. The tables were very spaced out, so that anyone who dined there would have almost complete privacy. The maitre d was leading them to a table that Harry deemed perfect for the two of them. It was in a corner, the chairs, rather than facing across from one another, were situated around the sides of the tables next to one another. Harry moved around to where Catherine was about to take her seat and pulled her chair out for her.

"Thanks." She said, unused to having a gentleman around. Duncan had never been so chivalrous.

"You're welcome." Harry replied. The maitre d handed them a wine list and left the table without another word, he was rather miffed about Harry's impression.

"So much for his tip…" Harry mumbled. Catherine smirked and scanned the list.

"What do you feel like having?" she asked. "I'll get what you're getting."

"Well I do like Merlot, but I feel more like white wine tonight." Harry replied. "But get whatever you want."

Ten minutes later they were both sipping on glasses of pinot grigio.

"So tell me Harry," she said, setting her glass down. "What were you like as a child?"

Harry bit the inside of his lip as she asked. 'My childhood was mostly spent with you!' his mind screamed.

"Well, I'm sure you've read about me some right?" he asked instead. She nodded. "Well, I lived with my aunt and uncle until I was seventeen, then I found my own flat when I graduated from Hogwarts, and I became engaged."

"Engaged?" Catherine tried to keep her voice steady, but she was sure it trembled some. 'Of course, he was married you dolt, he's got a child!' she thought to herself.

"Yeah. But things didn't work out." Harry said abruptly. "What about you?" he countered.

Catherine pressed her lips together. She opened her mouth, and paused for a moment. "Well…" she began. "I know this must sound strange, but I can't remember anything about my childhood." She looked up at Harry and noticed a strange light had come into his eyes.

"Really?" he said, almost excitedly.

She nodded. "The first thing I can remember about my life is waking up in a hospital. Grace had been taking care of me for…well, I don't even know how long. I was a little beat up for some reason, and I had no recollection of who I was or what I was doing here." She paused and looked off into space for a moment. "I just remember knowing I could do magic, that surprised me of course. Then Grace invited me to live with her, and well, here I am." She said. "That's my life, just the past ten years."

Harry said nothing but stared at her. Their silence was broken by the arrival of the food they had ordered on their plates, and they both hungrily dived in.

"Can I ask you a personal question?" Catherine asked him tentatively.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

Catherine licked her lips before replying. "What was your wife like?"

Harry was completely taken aback. "What?"

"Well, you were married right?" she said. "What was she like?" she leaned her chin on her hand.

"Well…. um…" Harry tried to think. 'What do you say in this situation?' He wondered. "She was a very wonderful woman."

"Why didn't it work out between the two of you?" she pressed, not realizing what an impact her query was making.

Harry looked at her for a long moment before replying. "Actually, it didn't' not 'work out'. She disappeared."

Catherine stared at him, her mouth agape. "What?"

"She disappeared." Harry said as matter of factly as possible. "She was on her way home from work one night, and she never made it back." His voice was starting to tremble slightly. Ten years of missing her and it the pain could still be as fresh as the first.

"I'm sorry." Catherine apologized. "I have such a habit of sticking my foot in my mouth…"

Harry shook his head and lightly touched her hand. "It's all right. I don't usually speak of her and as much as it hurts sometimes, I feel comfortable around you."

She boldly took his hand in hers and squeezed it. "Same here." They smiled at each other, and Harry brought his chair over closer to hers.

"I don't want to talk about the past anymore." He said.

"What do you want to talk about?" she asked, a bit coyly. He still hadn't let go of her hand.

"Us." He replied. Harry had no idea what brought on his sudden surge of desire.

Surprise flitted across her features. "What about us?" In response, he lifted her hand up to his lips and kissed it gently. She leaned forward; their faces were so close now that she could feel his breath. Catherine closed her eyes, she had been thinking about this moment all day….

"Is there anything else I can get you?" the nasal voice of a waiter brought them out of their almost embrace.

"No, we're fine!" Harry snapped back. The waiter looked offended and yanked out a piece of parchment from his pocket, and then dropped it on the table.

"Nice service here." Harry muttered, annoyed. He looked at Catherine, whose disappointment must have mirrored his own. "Shall we?" She nodded, and Harry dropped some Galleons on the table and they left.

"That's the last time I go there!" Harry said. "For all the good things I heard about that place today…"

"Tell me about it." Catherine replied. They walked along silently for a moment, and then Harry wrapped his hand around hers, lacing their fingers together.

"Well, we didn't get any dessert. You like ice cream?" he asked, nodding his head in the direction of Florean Fortescue's.

"Do I like ice cream?" Catherine replied. "That's like the understatement of the century."

Harry chuckled. "Ok, do you LOVE ice cream?"

"Chocolate. It's got to be chocolate."

They entered the ice cream shop, where they got a number of stares due to their fancy clothing.

"Cone?" Harry asked her.

"Oh, yes please." She replied.

Harry got her a chocolate cone, and for himself he ordered a peanut butter, chocolate and peppermint flavored ice cream on a cone.

"You are far more adventurous than I am." Catherine said, licking her cone.

"Want to try?" he asked, holding it out to her.

"No thanks." She held her cone out to him. "You?"

"Chocolate is boring." He said.

"Are you calling me boring?" she teased.

"Maybe." He said slyly, looking at her out of the corner of his eye.

"Well then." She replied. "I don't' think you want to know what I think about you, with those crazy flavors."

"Oh really…" Harry said. He held out his cone threateningly as if he was about to put it in her face.

"No you don't!" she cried, jumping away from him. "Grace will kill me if anything happens to this dress!"

"Uh huh." Harry said, still moving in on her.

"Hey, back away Potter!" she warned. "I'm armed too you know."

Grinning, he stopped. "Right right." He said, taking a huge bite of his cone. "Okay, I won't do anything. You look too nice in that dress for me to ruin it anyway."

Catherine blushed and looked away, and they resumed their walking. Five minutes later, they had reached their complex, and Harry realized their evening was over far earlier than he wanted it to be.

"Thank you for everything tonight." Catherine told him.

"Do you have to go in yet?" Harry asked.

"Well, I don't want to. But I have to be at work at seven…so unfortunately I should probably turn in."

Harry nodded reluctantly. "All right." He said. "But did you know you have ice cream on your face?"

"I do? Where?" she asked, raising her hand to wipe it off. He caught it in midair.

"Let me." He brought his face down near her face and brushed her cheek with his lips. "You have some here too…" he kissed the other side as well. "And I almost missed a spot…" he said, bringing his index finger up and gently touching her bottom lip. His lips were just barely brushing hers….

"Catherine!" a loud voice interrupted them. "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Catherine jumped back with a gasp; her heart sank into her feet when she realized who was in the hallway with them.

"Duncan what do you want?" she said, glaring at him.

"Who?" Harry asked, bewildered.

Duncan ignored Harry and focused on Catherine. His short blond hair was sticking up in spikes and his lanky body was heaving up and down in the wake of his anger. "What are you doing?" he asked again.

"It's none of your business Duncan!" she snapped. "You should leave!"

"What's going on?" Harry asked her.

"Nothing." Catherine replied angrily. "Duncan was just leaving."

"No I'm not." Duncan said heatedly. "What do you think you are doing with another man? You're mine!"

"I am not! You cheated on me!" she yelled. Harry put his hand on her shoulder.

"I think you'd better leave." He said to Duncan.

"Stay out of this, asshole." Duncan snapped. He grabbed Catherine's arm and pulled her roughly towards him.

"HEY!" Harry roared. He tried to pull her back, but Duncan pushed him against the wall hard, and Harry saw stars for a moment.

Duncan shook Catherine. "So this is how it is now, is it? You, being a slut!" Catherine's mouth opened in shock, and she reached back her hand and slapped Duncan's face. A stinging red mark appeared where she had hit.

"Bitch!" he snapped, pinching her upper arm. "You don't EVER hit me!"

"HEY!" Harry roared again, finally regaining his senses. "GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY WIFE!" the sentence slipped out before he had a chance to stop it.

Both Catherine and Duncan stopped their struggle and stared at him.

"What?" she was the first to recover.

Harry swallowed hard. "I…. uh…"

Catherine took this opportunity to push Duncan away from her. "Get the hell away from me Duncan. If you ever come near me again, I swear I will hex you from here till next Tuesday, and that's a promise." She pulled her wand out of her purse to prove her point. Duncan, being the weakling that he really was, stumbled away and almost fell down the stairs trying to get out of the building. Seeing that he was gone, Catherine turned back to Harry.

"I don't suppose you'd mind telling me what that little outburst was all about?" she asked.

"I can't." Harry said.

"Why not?" her voice was becoming very controlled, which was not a good thing.

"Because…I just can't." Harry's eyes pleaded with her to understand. "It's just not the right time yet."

"Yes it is." She insisted. "You called me your wife. Funnily enough, you just told me less than an hour ago that your wife disappeared. So tell me now, why did you say that?"

Harry opened his mouth to explain, but no words came out.

Catherine nodded. "I see how it is." She stepped by him and took out her keys. "I think this is goodnight then, don't you agree, Mr. Potter?" her brown eyes had turned cold.

"Please don't." Harry heard himself. She ignored him and unlocked the door, stepped inside, and slammed it shut.

Catherine stood in the darkened hallway and tried to steady her breathing. She had never felt so infuriated in her life at anyone. She threw her purse down on the table and walked into the living room and snapped the lights on.

"Oof…" Grace said. She rolled off the couch; rather, she rolled off the person who was on the couch. "Cath?"

"Sorry." Catherine said shortly. She turned the lights back off and stalked down the hallway, slamming the door to her bedroom.

"Who was that?" Justin Finch Fletchley asked as he pulled his shirt back on and tried to wipe off lipstick smears from his face.

"My roommate." Grace replied. "I'll be right back." She patted his shoulder and walked down the hallway.

"Cath?" she knocked softly on the door. "What's wrong?" When she got no answer, she tried to open the door, but it was locked. "Catherine!" she called again.

"Just leave me alone." Catherine called out dully.

"No." Grace replied. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk now." Catherine replied. Grace nodded, even though she knew Catherine couldn't see her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Goodnight."

Harry let himself into his flat and tore off his tie. He flung it into a corner then stomped into the kitchen.

"Fucking idiot!" he cursed himself. "How could you have been so stupid?" He pulled on his hair hard and swore again. Placing his hands on the counter, he saw Ron's note.

"Found out about curse…. must talk as soon as possible …" he read to himself. He sighed heavily and dropped down into a kitchen chair. "I hope Ron has good news."

Harry got back up and made his way into the bedroom, where, much like the last night, he flopped down and stared at the ceiling.

"Why did everything have to go wrong?" he muttered.

(A/N: Wow, I really hate that Duncan, talk about spoiling the mood. Eek, I really didn't like what happened there but it was kinda inevitable. Next chap should be more enjoyable, I promise! Please don't forget to R/R and let me know how I'm doing!)

8. What Moonlight Reveals (R)

Chapter 8

(A/N: WOW I made over 100 reviews! I can't tell you guys how excited that makes me!! Thank you all so much for reading and making that possible!

Ok, about this chapter, it's going to be a long one, and its rated R for a situation that happens later on in the chapter. Happy reading! Oh, and ~* *~ means flashback.

I have mood music for this chapter! I will let you know what parts it goes with, as the fic goes on. Here is the list:

Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven

Silence by Delirium featuring Sarah McLachlan

You can download them from Kazaa or something like that and listen when I tell you in the chapter!)

Harry knocked on his daughter's door.

"Caty Cat, do you have everything you need?" he called. She flung the door open and Harry stared agape at the mess of clothing and books on her floor.

"It's not as bad as it looks!" she spoke up before he could say anything. "I swear it's not."

"It'd better not be." Harry said, giving her a look. "We need to get going in about forty minutes, you have to be packed up by then." He gave her room one last exasperated look and headed down the hallway towards the kitchen. He poured some water into a mug, added a tea bag and zapped it with his wand to heat it up. He sipped it slowly as he sat down at the kitchen table.

"What a rotten week…" he muttered as he rubbed his eyes wearily. Caitlyn was leaving for Hogwarts today; it would be the first time in their lives that they would be separated. Harry was already feeling a bit of empty nest syndrome; he wasn't sure what he'd do without her constant chatter and presence in the home. And if that wasn't bad enough for him, Catherine still refused to speak to him. He had sent her flowers; she had come to his door with them and said she couldn't accept them unless he told her about what he had meant the night of their date. A few days after that he had gone to her flat, and Grace had answered the door, and sorrowfully informed him that Catherine would not see him.

"I've tried and tried to talk to her." Grace had said quietly. She pressed her lips together and shook her head. "Cath can be very stubborn when she wants to be."

Harry had nodded in defeat. "Will you still tell her I came by?"

"Of course I will." Grace had then smiled warmly. "She'll come around. I promise."

Harry drained the last of the tea in his mug and set it in the sink. His mind turned to more troubling thoughts, mainly his conversation with Ron after he had filled him in on the details on what had happened the evening of his and Catherine's date.

~*"What a bummer!" Ron said sympathetically once Harry finished telling him about the end of his evening. Harry ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

"I can't think about this anymore." He looked up at Ron. "Tell me about the curse."

Ron sat heavily into a kitchen chair. "I'm afraid I don't the best of news." He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. "Well I asked old Mundungus Fletcher about it, since he knows just about every curse known to man." Ron leaned forward towards Harry. "And almost nothing shocks him anymore, but when I told him the words for the curse, he paled so much I had to get him to sit down."

Harry's eyes grew wide. "What?"

Ron nodded. "He actually pulled me into a private office. Then he asked me again what the curse was, so I told him, and he asked how I found out about it…"

~*Ron's Flashback*~

"Where did you say you heard this curse from?" Mundungus Fletcher was leaning heavily over the table.

"One of my friends believes it was used on his wife." Ron replied.

"Really…" Fletcher said. He sat back in his chair and tapped his finger on his chin. "That is most alarming to hear…"

"Why?" Ron asked, a ball of fear beginning to pound in his chest.

"It's the fourth Unforgivable Curse." Fletcher said quietly.

"The fourth?" Ron asked, perplexed. "I thought there were only three."

"No, there are four, the Alieno Cunctus curse was banned by the Ministry almost as soon as it was developed. It was used by Voldemort during his reign to wipe people of their memories, so that his influence on them was greater." Fletcher once more leaned forward. "He figured if people could not remember their lives, he could tempt them into his control and have as many followers as necessary."

Ron sat back, his head spinning from the revelation. "Is there a counter curse?" his eyes were pleading.

"There is yes, but it has the most dire of consequences if it does not work."

"Like what?" Ron's eyes grew wide.

"Well, one effect is the person who was cursed will lose all memory forever. They will never be able to retain anything in their head ever again. The second, the person could die." Fletcher looked up at Ron, who grew pale. "The third, well, the person will remember everything."

"How do we know which one will work?" Ron asked quickly.

"The third effect will work only if the person whom the counter curse is being performed on believes themselves to be under the curse, and agrees to having the counter curse done."

"Well that's good!" Ron said, brightening.

Fletcher put up his index finger. "The second effect will happen if the counter curse is performed on a person who is NOT under the Alieno Cunctus curse, or if they don't believe in themselves." Fletcher paused. "The first effect…." He leaned forward in his chair again. "The counter curse is a VERY difficult potion to make. If any ingredient is forgotten, put in wrong, not enough or too much, the person will lose any and all memories forever. There is no retrieval."

Ron gulped. "I see…" he croaked.

Fletcher regarded him through half lidded eyes. "I have the potion in a book in my regular office."

"I want it." Ron replied without hesitation. Fletcher silently led him up to his office and magicked a copy of the potion to Ron immediately.

"Be careful with this." Fletcher gripped Ron's arm tightly. "And you remember this too, Mr. Weasley, if you find out who has done an Unforgivable Curse, they go to Azkaban."

Ron's mouth was set in a grim line. "Oh believe me, I will find out who did this…"

*End Ron's Flashback*

Harry's mouth was open much like Ron's was when Fletcher was telling him the details of the curse.

"What do we do?" Ron asked.

"Need you ask?" Harry said bitterly. "But I don't know how I'm going to get her to do this. She probably won't come near me now."

"Well…" Ron said thoughtfully. "Perhaps it's time to fill her in?" *~

Harry stood at his kitchen sink as he thought hard about what Ron had said. He knew deep down that Ron was right. It was not time to play games through this anymore. They had tracked down most of the necessary items for this potion, and Ron was having it brewed at the ministry, as it was such a dangerous counter curse that it needed to be monitored. Harry only hoped now he could get Catherine to trust him enough to take it.

Meanwhile, Catherine and Grace took that morning and did a little shopping, which didn't help to cheer Catherine, as she truly hated shopping for clothes. Grace, in the half hour they had been gone, had acquired about six bags full of new dresses, pants and shirts, while Catherine had managed to find one sweater.

"Let's go back…" she was moaning. "I don't want to shop."

Grace rolled her eyes. "You've been moping about the house for a week, I just FINALLY yesterday get you to come out of your room and tell me about what happened the night you and Harry went out…" she sighed and pulled Catherine's arm. "Let's go have some chocolate. That ALWAYS cheers you up, and I can't believe I didn't think of it till now."

Grace yanked Catherine in the direction of Florean Fortescue's. "What do you want?" Grace asked once they were inside, turning to Catherine, who for some reason looked like she was going to cry.

Catherine drew a shaky breath. "Nothing. I'm fine." She finally managed to pull herself free of Grace. "Look I'm going to wait outside." She flew out of the store.

Grace followed her, all thoughts of ice cream abandoned. "Cath?" she asked softly. She followed her friend to a bench nearby and they sat down. "You miss him don't you." She said perceptively.

"What are you talking about?" Catherine said, too quickly. "I haven't been thinking of Harry at all!" she snapped her mouth shut when she realized what she had said.

"Sure. Whatever you say." Grace said sarcastically. "Look, I know you miss him, you have been hanging around all week with a long face and done nothing. Go to him and let him apologize to you, he's been trying all week!"

Catherine faced her. "Look, he might know something about my life that I don't, and he won't share it with me. Until he will, I don't want to have anything to do with him!" she sat back on the bench. "I just want to know about myself. Before I met you I don't know who or what I was."

Grace put a hand on Catherine's back sympathetically. "I know, believe me I know. Just give him a little time. I bet he will tell you."

"I'm not counting on anything." Catherine said wryly. "Look, I'm going to go back to the flat, I need to be alone right now."

Grace nodded in defeat. "All right." She paused. "Are you sure you want to be alone some more?"

"Yeah." She replied. "I need to do some serious thinking." Grace squeezed her arm and Catherine apparated back to the flat. She dropped her bag on her bed and lay down for a moment.

As much as she hated to admit Grace was right, she was. Catherine missed Harry, she missed him a lot. Even though she had only known him for a few days before they had gotten into their fight, there was something about him that made her feel special. When she was with him she felt so familiar, she felt complete, like a missing piece of the puzzle that was her mind had been found. She sat back up and threw a sweater on over her tank top. She needed a bit of fresh air. She left the flat and walked up the fire escape to the roof. Once she got up top, she breathed in the cool air that wafted across her face and blew her long hair out behind her. She closed her eyes and willed her troubling thoughts away. Enclosed into herself, she did not hear the person approaching until they grabbed her from behind.

"DUNCAN!" she screamed, pulling herself free and whirling around.

"What?" he asked, holding his arms out to his sides. "You act like you're not happy to see me."

"I'm not!" she snapped back at him. "Honestly, I can't believe you, acting as if everything is okay between us."

Duncan rolled his eyes. "Look, I told you I was sorry. Why can't you accept that?"

Catherine glared silently at him, and then a horrible gleam entered her eyes. "You know, I did tell you if you ever came near me again I'd hex you."

Duncan heckled nervously. "You know you didn't mean that." He tried to say confidently.

Catherine's eyes narrowed and before he could do anything, she pointed her wand at him. "Furnunculus!" she said, and on Duncan's normally smug face popped out tons of boils.

"Bitch!" he screamed, while trying to reach for his own wand. She never gave him the chance.

"Petrificus Totalus!" she cried out next, then she banished him to the middle of Diagon Alley.

Catherine felt no remorse for what she had just done. After all he had done to her, he deserved it. She sat down on the cold gravel ground and leaned back against the half wall that circled the perimeter of the building.

Downstairs, Harry was trying to get the rest of Caitlyn's things together.

"Caty, we have to be at the train station in twenty minutes!" Harry yelled down the hallway.

"I know! I'm ready!" she called back. Her door opened and she began lugging her trunk down the hall.

"Here." Harry pointed his wand at the trunk. "Wingardium Leviosa!" he said, and the trunk floated down the hall.

"Cool!" Caitlyn cried. "When do I learn that?"

"Probably two days from now." Harry told her. Flitwick had taught them that charm right away. "Come on, we've got to get going." Harry shrank her trunk down and put it in his pocket. He grabbed her hand and they left the flat.

"Oh no!" Caitlyn wailed when they had gotten outside. "I forgot Snuffles!"

"What?" Harry asked.

"My dragon!" she looked up at her father. "I need to go back and get him!"

"Go." Harry pushed his daughter in the direction of the door. "You'd better hurry!"

Caitlyn ran back upstairs and unlocked the door to the flat. She hurriedly spied Snuffles lying on her bed and she grabbed the dragon and rushed back down.

"Oomph!" she said as she crashed into someone. She looked up and found Catherine staring down at her.

"Are you okay?" Catherine asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine, my dad is waiting for me outside." Caitlyn said.

"Oh…so he's already outside?" Catherine said, trying not to sound too disappointed. A thrill had shot through her when she saw the little girl; she had hoped to see Harry with her.

"Yeah." Caitlyn looked back up at her; she seemed to be thinking hard. "You know, you look a lot like my mum." She burst out.

Catherine looked startled. "I beg your pardon?"

"My uncle Ron gave me a picture of my mum, and she looks a lot like you." Caitlyn said again. When Catherine didn't respond, she continued.

"My dad misses you too." She figured she may as well go for broke. "He likes you a lot."

"He…does?" Catherine asked tentatively. "How do you know?"

Caitlyn bit her lower lip. "I hear him talking to my uncle Ron about you a lot, and…" she trailed off. A sudden idea lit up her eyes. "Here!" she exclaimed. Caitlyn dug into her pocket and produced her key to the flat. "You can go talk to him later!" she shoved the key in Catherine's hand and turned to leave.

"Wait!" Catherine called out. "I can't take your key!" But it was too late; Caitlyn had already disappeared out the door.

Caitlyn flew back out the door and she and Harry quickly made their way down to King's Cross Station.

"Okay, Caty Cat…" Harry put his arm on his daughter's shoulder. "See the barrier between platforms 9 and 10? You need to run straight into it."

She looked at him, quite alarmed. "I WHAT?"

"Trust me, love. It's not hard. I'll be right behind you, ok?" Harry reassured her. "And I bet you Blue is already on the train waiting for you."

That got her moving, she took a deep breath and walked towards the barrier. Harry blinked and in a second she was gone. He counted to five to make sure she was out of his way and went through it himself.

Waves and waves of memories poured over him as he took in the familiar scarlet train, the wooden signs proclaiming Platform 9 ¾, Harry could almost hear Hagrid calling 'Firs' Years, this way!'. He saw Caitlyn was already standing with Ron, Lavender and Blue. Lavender was sobbing and hugging Blue tightly, and he was trying to squirm out of her grasp.

"Mum, come on!" he was saying. Ron looked up and saw Harry coming towards them.

"Brings back lots of memories doesn't it." He said, looking around.

"It sure does." Harry agreed. He pulled Caitlyn's trunk out of his pocket and resized it to normal. He and Ron shoved it onto a train compartment.

"All right…" Harry said. He felt a sudden sharp tug on his stomach; he'd been dreading this moment for a while now. "Time to go…"

Caitlyn looked up at her father for a moment, then jumped into his arms and gave him a tight hug. She felt a small tear trickle out of her eye. She'd never felt so scared in her life; it would be the first time she'd ever been away from her father for any length of time.

"I love you Dad!" she said, squeezing him tighter.

"Me too Caty Cat." Harry said, trying to speak over the lump in his throat. "You have a good safe trip and remember, you can owl me anytime you need anything." She nodded, and she and Blue got up onto the train. The whistle blew not a moment later, and the train started to chug out of the station. Harry, Ron and Lavender waved until the train was out of sight.

Harry sighed, staring at the empty track. Lavender still had tears in her eyes, and Ron was holding her arm.

"You want to come over later Harry?" Ron asked. Harry shrugged.

"Maybe. I just kind of want to go home right now, be by myself for awhile." He replied.

Ron nodded. "All right. Just come on over later if you feel up to it, ok?"

Harry nodded and waved goodbye; he apparated back to the flat, which felt cold and alone. He looked out the window at Diagon Alley, it had started to rain steadily and it had become quite chilly. He went to his bedroom and pulled on a navy blue sweater over his shirt. Harry came back into the kitchen and made himself another mug of tea, and took it into the living room with him. He sat down at the piano and touched the keys gently; due to the events of the past few weeks he had not played his piano in ages. He put the mug on the table next to the piano and flexed his fingers.

Harry began to play one of his favorite songs, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. It perfectly matched the gloom of the day, and was soothing to his head. He began to lose himself completely to the music.

Catherine stood outside Harry's door. She had debated over what to do with the key that Caitlyn had given her, and the knowledge, that she resembled Harry's wife…she honestly could not make anything of that until she talked to him. Which was why she was now standing outside his door. She swallowed her nerves, then pushed a strand of her hair back into her messy bun and knocked softly, then a bit louder when no one came to the door. Perhaps he wasn't home from dropping Caitlyn off at the train station yet. An idea occurred to her, she could just open the door and drop the key on a table, and he'd never know she'd been there. She pulled the key from her pocket with a trembling hand and it actually took her two tries to get it inserted into the lock.

Quietly, she inched the door open, only to be confronted by a surprise- beautiful melodious piano music was filling the hallway of Harry's flat. Her intentions of leaving the key and slipping out before being noticed was forgotten as the soft notes drew her further into the flat. She entered what had to be Harry's living room and caught her breath as she laid her eyes on his frame, which was currently planted on the piano bench, his long fingers rippling over the keys in a dark tune, which she happened to recognize as Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig Van Beethoven. Not realizing what she was doing, she ventured further until she was standing directly next to him.

Harry felt strangely calm as he began to play the ending notes to the song. After it was over, he stayed still for a moment, his eyes closed, just feeling the effects the music had on him. A few moments later, he opened his eyes and began to stand up, and a yelp of surprise escaped him as he came face to face with Catherine. In his shock, he fell over the piano bench and on his back.

"Oh my God!" Catherine cried, watching him fall backwards. She felt horrible sneaking up on him like that now, and she rushed over to help him up.

"Oh uh, I'm fine." Harry mumbled, too distracted by her hand on his arm helping him up to string a coherent sentence together. She got him back up and he seated himself onto the piano bench again, her right next to him. Catherine moved her hand to his back and gently pressed her hand on it.

"Are you sure? You took quite a spill." She was concerned.

"I'm fine, really." Harry insisted, still staring at her. "How did you get in here?"

It was her turn to blush. "Well, you see," she started, holding the key out to him, "I saw Caitlyn in the hallway before you took her to school, and she gave it to me."

"I see." Harry said, taking the key from her outstretched hand. He set it on the small table next to the piano and turned to face her again. "So…what brings you by today?" he asked slowly.

Catherine took a deep breath. "I have some things I would like to talk to you about."

"You want to talk to me about what I said that night…" Harry guessed correctly.

"Well yes, I would like to talk about that." She said. "But today, when I saw Caitlyn in the hallway, she said something that completely stunned me."

"What's that?" he asked.

She swallowed before she could continue. "Well, she told me that I look a lot like her mother." The words came bursting out.

"She what?" Harry asked, once again in shock.

"Do I?" she asked nervously. "Do I look like your wife? Is that why you have been interested in me?" Small tears sprang to her eyes as this disturbing thought entered her head.

Harry moved his hand so it covered hers. "Do you really want to know everything?" he asked quietly.

She lifted her head back up so her brown eyes met his green ones. She nodded silently, afraid to trust her voice.

"At first, yes, I was attracted to you because you very greatly resemble her." He began. Catherine bit her lower lip but Harry continued before she could speak. "At first. I realize we didn't really get to know each other that well but I feel something special with you anyway."

"Really?" she asked tentatively.

"Really really." He smiled a moment before his face grew serious again. "But I do want to tell you everything now."

"Why the sudden change?" she asked. "I mean, a week ago you didn't want to say anything."

Harry was silent for a moment. "Well, I've found out a lot of things in this past week that clear up a lot of mystery. And since I do believe it involves you, you have a right to know what's going on."

Harry took his time and explained everything as carefully and gently as he could. Catherine kept silent through most of it, mulling the information over in her mind as he told her.

"…so," Harry paused. "I really hope this doesn't scare you off, but I…I think there is a strong possibility that you are her."

Catherine got up from the bench and walked across the room and stared out the window at the rain, which was falling steadily. She was silent for a long moment, then turned back and faced Harry.

"So, if I am your wife…" she paused and looked down. "This means that Caitlyn…" she was so shocked at this sudden realization that the words stuck in her throat.

"That Caitlyn is our daughter, yes." Harry finished for her. She stared at him for a moment, and then felt her knees begin to buckle underneath her. Harry rushed forward and caught her before she could fall onto the floor. He helped her to the couch.

"I'm sorry…" she said as they sat down. "I just don't know what to say, this is all…just a total shock."

"I'm sorry too." Harry said. "I shouldn't have sprung all this on you at once like I just did."

(A/N: Play Silence now if you've gotten it)

"No, I wanted to hear it. I've been wanting some closure for a long time. I've lived the past nine years of my life not knowing what I did, who I was, who I was with, before I lost my memory." She looked up at Harry's face, it was marred with guilt. "Don't feel bad about this, Harry. I'm glad you told me." She lightly touched his face with her fingertips. A dark lock of hair fell from her bun and across her face, and Harry reached up and brushed it away with his hand. He caressed the side of her face gently, and Harry turned his burning green eyes onto her luminous brown ones.

"Are you glad you might be my wife?" he almost whispered, bringing his face closer to hers.

"Yes…" she breathed, and not a moment later Harry's lips were on hers. His kiss was gentle, lightly brushing her soft lips. He pulled back and raised both hands to her face, tilting it at a better angle. He pressed his mouth to hers again; this time his lips were more demanding. His tongue ran along her lower lip, he could taste the vanilla flavor of the gloss she wore. Her lips parted under his, allowing him entry into her mouth. He slid his tongue inside, where it clashed with hers, creating thrills that ran down her body. She wound her hands around the back of his neck, stroking the wild hair that lay back there, her nails lightly caressing his skin. He shivered under her touch, and tore his mouth from hers to kiss her throat, and he trailed his lips down the side of her neck to the spot that connected her shoulder to her neck.

She whimpered as his tongue traced patterns on her smooth skin, and he pulled his head back up and kissed her again on the mouth. He brought his hand up and pulled away the band that held her hair back, the long tresses fell down her back and bounced from the weight. She flattened her palms against his broad chest and was annoyed at the fabric that was in her way. Moving her hands down, she pulled up on his shirt and broke the kiss only long enough to yank the shirt over his head and toss it away across the floor. Her mouth attacked his once more and she pushed her tongue across his lips, teasing, knowing that she was making him crazy. One of his hands entangled itself into her silken hair, the other was making it's way down her side, Harry went under the hem of her sweater and pulled it up in the same fashion that she had done with his shirt.

He was dismayed to find she had on a camisole underneath the sweater, and his long fingers made quick work of pulling that off as well to join the rest of the clothing that had fallen to the floor. Now clad only in her bra, and him with no shirt on, the level of the passion they were both feeling was growing higher. His hands lightly stroked her hair, up and down gently on her backside as their mouths hungrily attacked one another, the urgency to kiss each other as hard as possible was at an all time high.

Harry once again pulled his mouth from hers, first drawing in a breath and then he made his way back down her throat, kissing each part of her deeply. His hand traveled down her side, to cup her breast. She threw her head back, gasping in pleasure as he squeezed her gently, bringing his mouth down into the valley between her breasts and kissing her there. His thumb hooked into the strap of her bra, preparing to pull that off as well.

Alarm bells started to go off in Catherine's head, she was loving every moment of this, but she couldn't let this go too much further or there could be consequences to pay.

"Harry…" she started to say softly, but he brought his head back up and was kissing her lips again. "Harry wait, please…"

He drew back from her and opened his eyes.

"I'm sorry…" she apologized.

"Am I doing something wrong?" he asked, concerned. "I'm not being too pushy am I?"

"No, it's fine, you're not pushing me at all." She said. He nodded and pulled her into his arms once more, not kissing her this time, but just holding her. Her head was against his chest, and she could hear his heart beating rapidly.

"I just can't help it…" she found herself saying. "I want to keep going, but something inside of me tells me to be careful and…" Harry interrupted her.

"It's all right, it really is. You're right, you were always the more sensible one." He said before he could stop himself.

She raised her head and looked up at him. "I was?"

He blushed. "Well, yes, if you, you know, are…" he trailed off.

"This just felt, right." She said thoughtfully. "Not to bring up a sore point, but I never felt so…. wanted, when I was with Duncan."

Harry made a sound in his throat and pulled her closer. "No need to think about him anymore." he said. "No one will ever treat you badly again, that I can guarantee."

She smiled up at him, then leaned forward and kissed him once more. "Thank you." She said quietly. She brushed his lips again, and for a second time; they were kissing madly.

"Harry…." She extracted herself from the entanglement of their arms and stood up. She picked up her shirt and sweater, then retrieved his and tossed it at him.

"What?" Harry asked, putting on the face of innocence. "You don't like kissing me anymore?" he pouted.

Catherine shook her head playfully at him and pulled her sweater back over her head, leaving the camisole off. "You know…" she began, and her cheeks began to flush. "I hope I don't sound too over eager by telling you this, but I do hope that I am. Your wife." She said shyly.

Harry pulled his own shirt back over his head and looked at her. "At this point, it doesn't really matter." He said, getting to his feet and helping her up. He pulled her into his warm embrace once more. Catherine felt a stirring inside herself again, and knew that if she did not leave soon, they'd be at it back on the couch again.

"I have to go." She mumbled against his shoulder. His arms tightened around her.

"I don't want you to…" his own voice was muffled as his face was buried in her sweet smelling hair.

"I don't either…" she said, and pulled back. "But I think we'll get ourselves into trouble if I stay."

"You're probably right." Harry groaned. "But I want to see you again, and again and again…" he trailed off as she laughed.

"You'd better get used to me, Harry Potter." She teased. He squeezed her hand as he walked her to his door.

"I'll talk to you later then." He said, tilting her chin up and kissing her sweetly once more.

"All right." She said, slipping out of the flat. He watched her as she descended down the stairs to her own place. Once she had disappeared, he closed the door, then leaned back against the wall and grinned.

(A/N: Wow!! I can't believe I just wrote that, I swear that music really helps things along… anyways, before some of you want to go and kill me for making them stop, if you want good sex, not smut, go read Soul Scepter by Ryoko Blue, and Much Ado about Hermione by kerry911, both of which helped me write the situation in this chapter.

I hope you enjoyed this I really do, that was my first graphic kissing scene. I hope now that I have written one I can put out more ;) hehehee please, don't forget to Read and Review, and stay tuned for the next chapter!)

9. Is it True? (R)

Chapter 9

A/N: Wow what an overwhelming response to chapter 8, every comment is definitely appreciated. I can't believe I converted someone to liking H/H, I tell you that just made my day.

Nappa- I'm flattered you think I write as well as Ryoko, I really am ;)

Oh, and to the person that actually printed out all those pages to RTM so far, THANK YOU! LOL that was awesome when I read about that!

Anyways, thanks to all who reviewed, again, I'm really flattered you guys like this story!!

This chapter is also RATED R, there are a few things that happen, one is nice and one is just...well, it's awful.

And I'm really glad the mood music worked for some people! There will be more in this story, at least one song towards the end, but I can't tell you what that is yet hehehehe

Harry sat at his kitchen table having his breakfast; his mood was very good despite the rainy cool day. It had been a very nice week for him; he had seen Catherine nearly every day, each time he would talk a little more about Hermione.

During that time, Harry had won her complete trust. The night after they had made up, he had taken her for a walk and told her about the potion, about Ron's information on the curse. She had agreed to think about doing the potion after it was ready, in another week or so. Harry was pleased to see that he had been wrong about her- he had originally thought all the information and news about what could be her life would shatter her, but she was steadfast and strong, much like Hermione had always been.

A tapping at the window startled Harry from his thoughts; he was surprised to see the white owl he had sent to Caitlyn hovering outside his window. He quickly threw up the sash and let it in. It flew over the table and dropped a thick piece of parchment, then landed next to Hedwig on her perch. Harry sat back down and picked up the parchment and unfolded it.

'Dad

Thank you thank you thank you so much for my owl! I named her Bella! She's so pretty, I absolutely love her. Hogwarts is so cool! Blue and I both got into Gryffindor, isn't that the house you were in? I hope so. Professor Dumbledore actually came into our common room to talk to me the other day, he seemed to know what you have been doing since you graduated and he's really nice and funny. And then there was this really mean teacher named Professor Snape, he was really rude at first, and then when I answered all his questions right he gave me 10 points for my house! He likes me now! He's actually really smart, he knows all about potions and stuff.' Harry guffawed at this loudly, and continued reading.

'So, are you and that lady Catherine friends again? I sort of met her in the hallway the day I left for school and gave her the key, I hope you don't mind. She's really nice, and she'd probably make a good mum for me.' At this, Harry blushed profusely. She'd obviously won the Caty seal of approval.

'Anyways, I have to go now; I miss you and love you lots!!

Caty Cat'

Harry shook his head and grinned as he grabbed a fresh piece of parchment and scribbled off a quick reply.

'Caty Cat -

I'm glad you like Professor Dumbledore; he was like a grandfather figure to me while I was at Hogwarts. As for Professor Snape actually liking someone, that came as a surprise, he never liked your dear old dad. But I'm glad he's treating you well.

As far as Catherine and I, yes, we've made up, and we're seeing each other. No real news yet on her being your mum. But I promise to keep you posted.

Glad you're having a good time there, and behave….

Love, Dad'

Harry folded the parchment up and tied it to Bella's leg. She nipped at his finger much like Hedwig did and flew back out the window. He stretched and stood in the middle of the kitchen for a moment, trying to compose his thoughts. Who'd have thought, Snape, being nice to a Potter? He'd be sure and mention this to Ron next time he saw him.

Harry walked down the hallway to his bathroom, where he hopped into the shower. He wanted to take Catherine on a picnic today, but it looked like his plans would be ruined because of the rain. He looked through his closet and realized he'd have to do laundry soon. Shrugging; he pulled out a long sleeved red t-shirt and his last clean pair of jeans. Going back into the kitchen, he waved his wand and all the dishes in the sink were sparkling clean and put away in their proper place. He glanced at the clock on the wall; he still had a good few hours until three, when he knew Catherine got off work. He sat down at the table, bored for a few moments, and then he got an idea.

Catherine grabbed an armload of books from the return table and headed for the shelves. She climbed the tall ladder to stick 'Curses to Curse the Wart off your Nose by Gibble de Gook back' on the shelf. She began to climb back down when her foot got stuck in one of the rungs. Books flew out of her arms as she fell backwards, right into a strong pair of arms.

"Save your life!" Harry said, holding her tightly.

Catherine righted herself in his arms. "Oh my God…thank God you were here!" she gasped, trying to regain a normal heart rate. She shuddered, thinking about what would have happened if he'd shown up even a second later.

Harry didn't let go of her. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"Yes, I'll be fine." She replied, smiling up at him. "What brings you over here?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and grinned at her. "I just wanted to see you."

She couldn't stop her own grin. "And you couldn't wait till after three?"

"Nope." Harry said. "How has your day been so far?"

"All right I guess." She replied. "I've had a terrible headache all morning, so I can't wait to go home and take something for it."

"Well, you are in luck." Harry said smugly. "I happen to have the best 'getting rid of headache' techniques in the history of man."

Catherine raised one eyebrow. "Oh really?"

"Yup. I'll be at your place at three fifteen." Harry said, and squeezed her hand. He waved to her as he left the shop.

Catherine could hardly wait till three. She busied herself for the next few hours, putting books away (she refused to climb back up the ladder again however) and waiting on the few customers that came in. Finally, however, the clock struck three and her replacement showed up. Waving a quick goodbye to her boss and fellow employees, she hastily hurried home. She pulled her hair out of the long ponytail and shook it out, then yanked off the ugly shirt she had to wear as part of her uniform and put on a deep blue one. She slicked some gloss across her lips and looked at herself in the mirror. She looked a little flushed, but good.

A knock sounded resolutely through the apartment. Catherine opened the door, and smiled to see Harry on the other side.

"You're early." She said.

"Is that a bad thing?" he asked, coming into the flat.

"Not at all." She said slyly. Catherine shut the door behind him and spun back around. She pulled the front of his shirt so that his body was pressed to hers, and then tilted her face back to look up at him.

"You know, I never thanked you properly for saving me today…" she said. Harry grinned at her.

"Oh yeah, that's right." His face lowered to hers. "I can think of a way…" he said, and then captured her mouth with his. His arms went around her waist while her hands threaded through his thick hair. Harry tightened his hold around her and pulled her even harder against himself. She deepened the kiss by opening her mouth under his, and he gently eased his tongue in to play with hers. Not breaking apart from each other, they managed to make their way into the living room and fall onto the couch. Harry fell down first and pulled her on top of him, running his hands up and down her back. She reached one hand up and pulled off his glasses, then gently caressed his face. He groaned into her mouth and rolled them over so that he was now on top of her, moving his hands down her side so he could feel her skin under her shirt. Their kissing grew more and more frenzied, until Harry rolled over once more, and Catherine hit her head on the coffee table.

"Ow!" she cried ruefully, bringing her hand up and rubbing the spot she hit.

"Oh shit." Harry said apologetically. "I'm sorry…I guess we just got too caught up in the moment…"

"It's all right." Catherine said. "So much for my headache being gone." Harry pulled her hand away, and then sat back up on the couch. He drew her up next to him.

"Here, sit just like this…" Harry said, motioning for her to sit in his lap. "Now just relax…" he said in soothing tones, as he began to work his nimble fingers gently on her temples. He started rubbing in small, gentle circles, slowly working them larger. Her body relaxed against him, and every once in awhile she would let out a soft sigh of contentment.

"Thanks Harry…" she murmured, leaning her head back against his shoulder. "I feel a lot better now."

"Good." Harry said into her ear.

"You're good at this." She purred softly.

"I'm good at a lot of things…" he said seductively. She turned her head to face him.

"Oh really…" she trailed off. "Why don't you show me…."

Harry pushed her hair away so that he could kiss the back of her neck. He slowly worked a trail down the side of her neck onto her shoulder, then cupped her face and turned it so he could kiss her on the lips once more. She moved her whole body around so that she could sit on top of him. He lay back down against the cushion and pulled her along with him. She crushed his lips with hers, kissing him with a bruising passion. His hands trailed her skin as he reached down and pulled up on her shirt, taking it off and throwing it to the floor. She was about to do the same for him when they both heard the front door slam.

"Cath?" Grace's voice echoed into the living room. "You home?"

"Shit." Catherine said, annoyed. "Yes! I'm home!" she called out, hurriedly yanking her shirt back on. She turned and looked at Harry, who was slipping his glasses back over his nose. "Why do we always get interrupted?" she asked.

"I don't know." Harry said wryly. He pushed a lock of her hair into place for her and then wrapped his arm around her waist as Grace appeared in the doorway.

"Hey Cath I want you to meet- Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here!" Grace said in surprise, giving Catherine and Harry a devilish look. "Well the two of you then, I want you to meet someone." Grace turned and motioned to someone who was standing in the hallway. Harry and Catherine stood up from the couch to meet Grace's newest and latest boyfriend.

Harry did not know what he expected to see, but it certainly wasn't the smug and smiling face of Draco Malfoy. He clasped Grace's hand in his own, and his eyes first traveled to Harry, who stood there in shock, and then to Catherine.

"Granger?" Malfoy uttered, his eyes gone wide in what Harry thought to be fear.

"What?" Grace asked, turning to face Malfoy. She looked back at Catherine, who for some reason had gone pale. "Do you know her? Why did you call her Granger?"

Catherine didn't know what was happening to her. Chills were racking her body as horrible scenes flashed across her eyes. The man who was holding her flat mate's hand, she saw him in her memory, he was pushing her up against the wall, slapping her, biting her, starving her. Her knees grew weak and she fell to the floor, shaking uncontrollably.

"Catherine!" Harry exclaimed. He gently pulled her up by her arms and she let out a loud cry.

"IT WAS HIM!" she screamed. "HIM! HE CURSED ME! HE BEAT ME!" Catherine fell limply against the couch, tears streaming down her face.

Harry's eyes widened in shock, and Grace, who had been unable to speak this whole time, dropped Malfoy's hand like it was on fire. She crossed the room and held her shaking friend, while Harry stood up, his eyes blazing angrily.

"You." Harry said, deadly quiet. "You cursed her to get to me didn't you?" Malfoy backed away from Harry, looking scared. Harry crossed the room quickly and grabbed Malfoy by his shirt. "YOU BASTARD WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?"

Malfoy sneered and tried to push Harry away from him, but he was no match for him, Harry slammed him up against the wall so hard that the walls shook.

"I'm going to kill you." Harry said. "I should have done so when I killed Voldemort, but I let you go, and that was how you repaid me."

"Fuck you Potter! You took away everything that I had! It was you who killed my parents, it was you who took away my home, my money, everything! I told you then that I'd pay you back, and I did." Malfoy spat.

Harry only saw his blinding rage as he slammed his fist into Malfoy's face. Malfoy tried to hit back, but Harry caught his fist and then threw him onto the floor. The two men grappled, Harry once again pummeling Malfoy anywhere he could, the face, the stomach, the groin, anywhere he could inflict pain. Grace's screaming finally brought Harry to a halt, as he saw that Malfoy was unconscious underneath him. He pushed himself off and looked towards the two women.

"Oh God…" Harry said, rushing over to them. Catherine was obviously in shock, tears were still streaming down her face and she was mumbling gibberish while rocking herself back and forth.

"We need to get her to the hospital!" Grace said frantically. "We'll have to apparate over." Harry nodded and was about to gather Catherine in his arms when he looked over and remembered Malfoy.

"You're going to have to take her." Harry said. "I have to deal with him, and I will be right over."

Grace swallowed hard and nodded, first looking at Malfoy then over at Harry. "Okay." She said. Harry gently pulled Catherine to her feet; she was like a catatonic person, not realizing what was going on in front of her. Grace took hold of her arm, and the two women apparated out.

Harry grabbed Malfoy by his collar, and then apparated the two of them to Ron's office at the Ministry. Luckily for him, Ron was sitting behind his desk. His eyes widened when Harry appeared, clutching Malfoy around the neck.

"What did you do to him?" Ron asked, rather gleefully as he looked at Malfoy's bloodied and beaten frame.

"He did it Ron. He was the one who cursed Hermione." Harry said flatly, dropping Malfoy on the floor like a dead weight. Ron looked at Harry in shock.

"He…. Malfoy?" Ron asked. His expression turned from shock to anger. "Get him up, we'll take him to the IUOCD."

"The what?" Harry asked as he hauled Malfoy up once more. He couldn't believe that Malfoy was still unconscious.

"The Illegal Use of Curses Department." Ron answered. He held the door open for Harry and then helped support the dead weight of Malfoy's body as they marched down the hall. He had finally started to regain consciousness by the time they reached the office.

Harry threw him down into a chair, and then clamped a hand onto his shoulder. Ron went into the back to get Mundungus Fletcher, the head of the department. Harry stared hatefully at Malfoy until the two men returned. He tried to calmly tell Fletcher what had transpired that day, but found himself itching to start physically harming Malfoy once more. Ron had to hold his arm down as Harry recounted what Catherine had said and her reaction to it all.

Fletcher looked at Malfoy. "You're going to be locked up for a long time, boy." He said coolly. "Use of an Unforgivable Curse is lifetime imprisonment in Azkaban." Malfoy's head snapped up.

"Look what he did to me!" he said, jerking his head towards Harry. "I want to press charges, he had no right to harm me the way he did!" he sniveled.

Ron shook his head sadly; he had to admit Malfoy had a point. "You can worry about that later…" he said roughly as Fletcher magicked a pair of wizard handcuff onto Malfoy. He looked back up at Harry. "You go to the hospital, I'll get in touch with you later." He said, and Harry nodded, and apparated out.

He arrived just in front of the hospital in downtown Diagon Alley, and he quickly rushed inside to the special care unit.

"Catherine Beaumont's room please." Harry said, skidding to a halt in front of a small desk area.

"Relation to the patient sir?" the nasal voiced receptionist sounded bored.

"I'm her husband." Harry spat, impatient to get to the room as soon as possible.

"Room 314." The receptionist said in a monotone, and Harry dashed away. He found the room quickly and went inside.

Catherine lay on a stark white hospital bed, her eyes were wide open and she was staring at the ceiling. Grace was sitting next to her, talking to her softly.

"Cath, please, answer me…." She was saying as Harry came up next to her. "Oh God, this is all my fault."

"How is she?" he asked softly.

Grace stood up and looked at him. "Not too good." She said, her eyes were red rimmed and she was shaking. "She won't respond to anything I say." She sobbed and turned, fleeing from the room.

Harry sat down in the chair that Grace had been in and took Catherine's hand. Raising it to his lips, he kissed it softly.

"Catherine, it's me, its Harry." He reached out his other hand and gently wiped away the tears that still clung to her cheeks. "Come on Cath, look at me, I'm here."

Catherine made a small sound with her throat, and turned her head slowly to look at Harry.

"Hey." He said, smiling at her.

"Harry…" she tried to sit up, but she was too weak.

"No…no you lay down." He said. She squeezed his hand weakly but gratefully.

"I'm really glad you're here." She said almost inaudibly.

"Me too, love, me too." He said soothingly. They sat that way for a time, just looking at one another.

"It was horrible…" she said after awhile. "All those memories, why did they come back when I saw him? Why didn't I know for the longest time, that that happened to me?"

"I don't know." Harry said quietly. "But we're going to find out."

"He…he had me chained to a wall…" her voice broke off for a moment. "He would come in, and hit me, then other times he would come in and try to…to…" her body gave a great shudder, she couldn't bring herself to say the words.

"Shhh." Harry said, stroking her hair. "Don't think about it now. It's over, nothing like that will happen again."

She nodded silently, and Harry leaned over and pressed his lips to her forehead.

"You should try and get a little sleep." He said. "I'm going to go talk to Grace."

"Okay." She said. In moments, sheer exhaustion had overtaken her and she was fast asleep. Harry got up and left the room. Grace was sitting on a bench in the hallway.

"Grace." Harry said. She looked up.

"Is she okay?" Grace asked. "Did she finally respond?"

"Yeah." Harry replied. "She's sleeping now." The relief was apparent on Grace's face.

"Good, good." She said.

"We need to talk." Harry said. He took Grace's elbow and brought her to a corner. "When I came into the room, you were saying that this was all your fault. What did you mean by that?" he gripped her arm tightly.

Grace swallowed and fresh tears sprang to her eyes. "This was all my fault! If I hadn't cast that spell on her, none of this would have happened!"

(A/N: I know I know, I'm evil…but hey, I don't' leave you guys with too many cliffhangers, not yet anyways ;)

I certainly didn't plan that make out scene to happen, but I swear, I just can't leave those two alone together.

Poor Cath, I felt bad for her having those horrible memories coming back like that.

Next chapter: Draco's hearing, and we find out Grace's secret! Please don't forget to R/R! I do thank you!

And for you die hard H/H'ers, and even those not die hard, Ryoko and I have started an H/H Kissing Contest over at Harry and Hermione's Haven. Pop on by and see what it's about!)

10. Confessions (R)

Chapter 10

(A/N: Thanks again for everyone’s support! I tell you, this story wouldn’t’ be half as much fun to write if you guys didn’t like it so much!

I want to thank MythX for letting me use his idea, for something you’ll see later in the story. I will point it out specifically at the end of this chapter, as to not ruin anything now.

And be sure and be on the lookout for Ryoko’s cameo in this ;)

And this chapter is rated R, for a few situations that happen.)

Harry’s eyes narrowed as he stared at Grace. “What do you mean, you cast that spell on her!” he asked tightly.

Grace looked back up at him, and then widened her eyes. “Oh my God! You don’t’ think I…. I would NEVER cast a curse like that on anyone!” she pulled her arm from Harry’s grip. “I can’t cast a spell that powerful!” she lowered her voice. “Catherine never told you did she? I’m a Squib.”

“You’re a Squib?” Harry asked disbelievingly. Grace nodded.

“I had just come into my powers as a witch when I met Cath…” she began, but a loud scream cut her off. Grace and Harry both whirled around, the scream had come from the room Catherine was currently residing in. Two medi-wizards dashed into the room, and Grace pushed Harry down on the bench just outside the door.

“Stay here a moment, we’ll see what’s wrong with her…” Grace said, slipping into her professional nurse voice. She didn’t give Harry a chance to argue as she slipped inside, pulling out her wand. The two medi-wizards were already pointing theirs at Catherine, and she joined in as a mild subduing spell was cast. Catherine immediately relaxed and stopped whimpering.

“Will you stay with her Grace?” one of them asked. “We need someone to monitor the spell and make sure it stays on for awhile.”

“Sure.” Grace nodded. The two medi-wizards left the room and Harry quickly entered.

“What’s wrong?” he asked immediately.

“She was having a nightmare.” Grace said sadly, stroking her friend’s hair away from her sweaty forehead.

“Is she all right?” Harry asked, moving to the other side of the bed and taking up one of Catherine’s hands.

“She will be. We’ve just cast a mild subduing spell on her so she will relax.”

Harry nodded. “Okay.” He looked down at Catherine, he wished so much he could take away whatever pain she was feeling.

Grace watched Harry for a while as he sat by the bedside. “Do you love her?” she asked, out of the blue.

Harry looked up, startled. “Of course I do.” He replied after a moment.

“I mean,” Grace continued. “Do you love her, or do you love her because you think she is your wife?”

“It’s a little of both.” Harry said honestly. “I told her this, I was attracted to her at first because she resembles Hermione so much. But these last few weeks, I’ve realized it doesn’t’ matter anymore if she is or not. Do I still think she is my wife? Absolutely, especially now.”

“What do you think will happen now?” Grace asked quietly. “I mean, with Draco Malfoy…” she shuddered to think she had found him attractive. “I can’t believe what he did to her!” tears once again sprang to her eyes and she sniffed as she brushed them away.

“Well, my friend Ron is handling it right now, but I assume he’ll go to trial and be sent to Azkaban.” Harry said, unflinching. Grace said nothing more on the issue; she and Harry sat in a silence for a long while. Harry was almost falling asleep when he felt a slight pressure on his hand.

“Cath?” Grace asked, seeing her friend’s eyes open. Harry was immediately on his feet.

“Where am I?” Catherine asked groggily.

“You’re at St. Mungos.” Harry answered gently. Grace pulled out her wand.

“Accio water!” she said, and a glass with a pitcher of water came flying into the room. “Here, drink some.” Grace said, pouring Catherine a glass. She gladly accepted it, and drank it quickly.

“Thanks Grace, that’s so much better.” Catherine said, her voice stronger. Grace took a deep breath.

“Look, Cath…I have something I need to tell you, it’s about this whole…situation. I just hope after hearing it you won’t hate me.” Grace said, her voice quavering.

“What do you mean?” Catherine asked, sitting up against the pillows. She looked at Harry. “What is going on?”

“I don’t know.” Harry answered. They both looked at Grace, who felt as if she was up in front of a firing squad.

“Before I start, just please, let me tell you, don’t interrupt.” Grace said. “I’ve already told you both that I’m a Squib. I was just coming into the wizarding world about nine years ago, and became a nurse here. I had taken a little trip back into Muggle London, along the Thames, when I saw you, Cath. You almost fell into the river, this guy was pulling you back, and you were fighting him off like he was going to harm you.” Grace took a deep breath, and continued. “By the time I rushed up to you, he was long gone, I don’t know who he was or what became of him. But you were twitching and God, so beaten up. I knew I had to do something, so I took you here, to St. Mungos. You had no identification on you, nothing to say who you were, and you were barely conscious. We fixed you up, but you slept for about four days straight.” Grace grabbed the glass and filled it back up with water, then gulped some down.

“You kept mumbling things, sometimes even crying out. I sat there with you most nights, and after the third night I finally was able to piece together that you had been horribly abused by someone. What I didn’t know is who did it, and if he was still looking for you or not.” Grace paused a moment and bit her lower lip. “I didn’t want you to be hurt anymore…so with the limited knowledge and spells I had, I performed a memory charm on you.” Grace’s red-rimmed eyes spilled over as she tried to finish her tale. “I knew whoever was hurting you was searching for you, he would still recognize you, so I lengthened and darkened your hair and changed your skin color…I didn’t want anything to happen, and if I had known about today ahead of time, I’d have filled you in sooner, I swear….” Grace trailed off, too upset with herself to continue talking.

Harry sat back in the chair, stunned by Grace’s revelation. He had had her pegged completely wrong. Catherine was also speechless, and Grace looked up at her, her eyes pleading with Catherine to understand.

“I really thought I was doing what was best…” Grace could only offer this as her final plea. “I am so sorry Cath…”

Catherine was silent for a few moments while she tried to process the information in her weary mind.

“Grace…” she said a few moments later, moving her other hand forward on top of Grace’s. “I’m not mad at you.”

“You’re not?” Grace asked, looking up hopefully. Catherine shook her head and sat up more in the bed, Harry was sitting back, letting the two women work things out amongst themselves.

“I mean, I have a bit of a hard time understanding why you could never tell me, but I do understand why you did it.”

“Really?” Grace asked. She let out a small sniff. “How could you not hate me?”

“Grace…” Catherine began. “I think of it this way, you were only trying to protect me, you have been the only one I trusted fully for the last nine years.” She sat back again. “Besides, if you were out to hurt me you’d have done it by now.” She grinned despite the seriousness of the situation.

Grace smiled back wryly then threw her arms around Catherine in an exaggerated hug.

“You’re just the most understanding person, and the best friend I’ve ever had!” Grace wailed.

“Grace…can’t…breathe…” Catherine managed to say before Grace cut off her air supply.

“Oh I’m sorry!” she gasped.

“It’s all right.” Catherine said.

“Listen, I’m going to go talk to the medi-wizards about when you can leave here ok? I’ll be back in a little bit.” Grace said.

“All right. Thanks.” Catherine smiled back at her. Grace walked out the door.

“I’ll be right back.” Harry said. He followed Grace out the door and down the hall a little.

“Grace.” He said, and she turned around. “Look, I wanted to apologize for accusing you earlier.” Harry ran a hand through his dark hair. “I shouldn’t’ have jumped to conclusions like that, and I’m really sorry.”

“It’s all right Harry.” Grace said. “I understand.” She squeezed his arm gently and they smiled at each other, then she continued down the hall to the offices while he returned to Catherine’s room.

“Where did you go?” she asked.

“Just to apologize to Grace.” He replied, resuming his seat next to her bed.

“Why?” she was curious.

“Well, I sort of jumped to conclusions with her earlier, when she was talking about casting a spell on you. I all but came right out and accused her of being in league with Draco…then she told me she was a Squib…” Harry was terribly embarrassed at his behavior.

“Oh…is everything okay then?” she asked.

“Yes, everything is fine. How are you feeling? Are you okay?” he asked, mentally smacking himself for not asking sooner.

“I’m all right.” She said. “I mean, I’m a bit emotionally drained at the moment, but I’ll be fine.”

Harry reached for her hand and grasped it firmly in his own. “I know you will.” He leaned over to kiss her, but a knock on the doorway interrupted him.

Ron stood there, looking a bit ashamed at interrupting them. “Sorry…” he said, grimacing a bit.

“It’s all right Ron.” Harry said, sitting back but not letting go of Catherine’s hand. Ron entered the room and stood by the bed.

“How are you feeling?” he asked Catherine.

“I’m okay.” She answered. “Just trying to recoup, you know?”

Ron nodded kindly at her, and then turned to Harry.

“I’ve got a bit of bad news mate…” he said. He sighed and sat down in the other vacant chair.

“What’s that?” Harry asked.

“Malfoy…he’s got grounds to press charges against you.” Ron said.

“What?” Harry said angrily. “Why does he get ANY rights – he used an Unforgivable Curse Ron!”

“I know!” Ron said. “But you also beat the shit out of him Harry, before you brought him to the Ministry.”

“He deserved it!” Harry snapped. Catherine’s eyes grew wide and she paled.

“They aren’t…. they won’t let him go will they?” her voice raised a few octaves in panic.

“No!” Ron said quickly. “He’s been put in a holding cell, he doesn’t get a trial, but a hearing,” he looked towards Catherine. “You have to testify, to prove he did this to you.”

“Testify?” She looked puzzled. “What do you mean, prove he did this to me? Doesn’t my rush of sudden memories prove everything?”

“Well yes, that’s exactly it.” Ron sighed again. “We have a contraption that fits to your eyes, and you simply have to think of a certain memory, and it will show like a Muggle movie projector. The Ministry needs to see it for themselves.”

Catherine swallowed hard. “When does this take place?” she asked.

“Two days from now.” Ron replied. He looked at her intently. “Do you think you’ll be up to it?”

She nodded. “I will.”

“What do I do in the meantime?” Harry asked. Ron looked back up at him.

“Leave everything to me. I will talk to Malfoy today, in fact, when I leave here. I’ll reason with him…” Ron made a face as if the thought of reasoning with Draco Malfoy left a sour taste in his mouth. “As much as you CAN reason with a Malfoy…but when I’m done with him, he won’t be pressing anything.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks Ron.” The two men shook hands, and Ron left. A few moments later, Grace came back into the room.

“Great news, the medi-wizards said you can leave tomorrow morning!” she announced. “As long as you get a lot of sleep tonight.”

“No problems there.” Catherine said. “I’m completely exhausted.”

“Well, I’ve been authorized to give you a sleeping draught if you like.” Grace said, producing a small vial in her hand.

“Do you think you need it?” Harry asked, smoothing her hair back from her forehead.

“I suppose it couldn’t hurt.” Catherine replied.

“It’s also made for dreamless sleep, so you’ll be out all night.” Grace said. She pulled the stopper out of the top and handed it to Catherine.

“Perfect.” She said. Tipping her head back, she swallowed it quickly.

“Do you want me to stay?” Harry asked. “I will.”

“No, you don’t have to.” Catherine replied. “Go and get a good night’s rest yourself, you can’t be too comfortable in that chair.”

Harry nodded, then leaned forward and kissed her gently. “I’ll be back first thing in the morning, I promise.”

“Okay…” she smiled sleepily as the potion took effect, and not a second later, she was sleeping soundly.

Harry and Grace quietly left the room, shutting the door firmly behind them.

Meanwhile, Ron had just arrived back at the Ministry, he strode down the hallway to the holding cell where Draco was. The holding cell was of the tightest security, with charms and spells preventing anyone inside from casting any spells or apparating away.

“Malfoy.” Ron said coldly.

“What do you want Weasel?”

“Grow up, for one thing!” Ron snapped. “We haven’t been in school for about 12 years now, and you still hang onto this pathetic grudge against Harry.”

Malfoy stood up; he was almost nose to nose with Ron. “Have Potter take away your family and all your money and belongings, and see how much you like him then.”

“You were in league with Voldemort!” Ron almost shouted. “What did you expect him to do?”

Malfoy smirked and sat back down. “What do you want, Weasley?”

“I want you to drop your charges against Harry.” Ron said, not beating around the bush.

“Why should I do that?” Malfoy hissed. He pointed to his eye and his lip. “Look what that asshole did to me!”

“You deserved it.” Ron said flatly.

Malfoy’s face twisted into an ugly grimace and he stood up like he was going to hit Ron.

“Sit down!” Ron snapped. “I don’t suppose you’ve heard what is going to happen to you because of this!”

Malfoy said nothing, but glared at Ron dangerously.

“You’re going to Azkaban…” Ron announced, trying to keep the glee out of his voice. “You like the dementors, Malfoy? You ever feel like kissing one? Cause you’ll get your chance now…”

Real fear flitted through Malfoy’s features for the first time.

“That’s right. The Kiss, given to all who perform Unforgivable Curses.” Ron said, circling Malfoy. “Your father can’t get you out of this one can he?”

Malfoy’s eyes narrowed. “Are you implying my father was my only protector?”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Yes, I am. You were never able to do anything on your own, even when you and Harry faced off before he went on to defeat Voldemort, it was only because your father shot a curse at Harry that you were able to run off and hide.”

Malfoy rocketed off his chair and flew at Ron. “You leave my father out of this!”

Ron pushed him away roughly. “I’m tired of talking to you!” he barked. “I came here for one thing, to make a deal with you.”

“Right.” Malfoy smirked. “Like I want to make any sort of deal with YOU.”

“Shut up and listen!” Ron snapped. “I can stop the Ministry from administering the kiss on you, but only if you’ll not press charges against Harry. You’ve done enough to him, and to Hermione.”

“What makes you think I’d believe you?” Malfoy shouted. Ron glared at him, and walked over to the door to the holding cell, stuck his hand outside, and snapped his fingers. A glowing piece of parchment appeared in his outstretched hand.

“Magic contract.” Ron said shortly. “Once it’s signed it can’t be broken.”

Malfoy was silent once more, glaring at Ron through his pale eyes.

Ron was losing all patience. “Fine, you press charges, you STILL go to Azkaban, and you get the Kiss. Sign this, and you only go to Azkaban for life…you can’t get out of that one.” Malfoy still said nothing. Ron stared at him in hatred for a long moment.

“You really disgust me.” Ron said. He spat in Draco’s face and turned to leave the cell, when a weak voice called out.

“I’ll sign.”

* * *

“Thank you Harry.” Catherine said as he held open the door to his flat. “Thank God I’m out of that hospital, I do so hate being in one.”

“Would you like some tea or something?” Harry asked, closing the door behind him.

“That would be great, thanks.” She replied. Catherine followed him into the kitchen and sat down at the table while he quickly zapped two mugs of hot water and put the tea in them.

“So what did you want to come over for?” Harry asked, sipping his tea.

Catherine sat back in her chair and looked pensive for a moment. “Well, I have something I wanted to tell you…” she pursed her lips for a moment. “I hope it doesn’t sound too ridiculous, but with the events of yesterday…”

“What is it?” Harry asked, looking concerned. “Is it more of what Malfoy did to you?”

“No, this, well, it was two occasions really, they both happened last week.” She replied, a bit hesitantly, and then flushed pink. “Well, the first, I guess you could call it a vision, that I had, it was when you came over the day you moved in, with the buttercup. Remember how I got really dizzy and had to sit down?”

“Yes, I do.” Harry said.

“Well, that was the first flash I had.” Her face flushed even redder as she continued. “In it, I was pregnant, and reading a book, and you came in…you had a buttercup and in it was a ring…” she said, not wanting to look up at him. “Then, the second one was a dream, where we were on a beach, and Caitlyn was a baby, I know this because in my dream I called her Caty Cat, just like you do, and then you came over and sat with us…” she knew she was rambling, but she was nervous. She finally looked up and Harry was staring at her.

“You are…” he said so softly she wasn’t sure at first if he had spoken or not.

“What?” she asked.

“You have to be her…” Harry said. “How else would you know how I proposed?”

She shrugged in confusion. “I don’t know, I…” she was cut off by a large whoop from Harry.

“You are Hermione!” Harry shouted happily, and pulled her up from the chair. He grabbed her around the waist and spun her around the kitchen. She felt rather lighthearted as he set her back down and hugged her tightly.

“Really?” she asked, finding her voice. “Those were real memories?”

“Yes, they were.” Harry said, smiling down at her, happy tears sparkling in her eyes. He bent down and pressed his lips to hers gently, nudging open her mouth with his tongue. She flattened her palms against his chest to feel his strength, and he wrapped his arms around her tighter.

“ARGH!” Harry cried in frustration as a knock echoed throughout his apartment. She heaved a disappointed sigh as well and followed him to the door. Harry pulled it open to reveal Ron.

“What Ron?” Harry almost barked. Ron looked put out for a moment, and then pushed him aside.

“Malfoy’s not pressing charges.” Ron said immediately. “He’s signed a contract, meaning he’s not getting the Kiss, but he still is going to Azkaban.”

Harry nodded. “I’m glad to hear that.” Ron turned to Catherine.

“Look, I was asked to come over and well, prep you for tomorrow.”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“The contraption that you’ll have to use tomorrow, I already told you how it works right?” He asked and Catherine nodded. “Well, it sounds a lot easier than it looks. The machine runs on your energy, you’ll be feeling quite weak when you leave tomorrow. If there was any other way to prove Malfoy was the one, I’d use it but there isn’t.” Ron looked apologetic.

“It’s all right.” Catherine said. “I can handle it, I promise.”

“I’ll be right there with you.” Harry promised. He brought one hand up around her waist and pulled her close to him. He saw Ron look away and roll his eyes for a moment, and then the two men grinned at each other.

“Well, seeing as how that’s out of the way, would the two of you like to come over for dinner later?” Ron asked.

Harry looked at Catherine, who nodded. “Sure, we’d love to.” Harry said. “What time?”

“Say around five.” Ron replied. He looked at the two of them with an evil gleam in his eye. “I can see myself out.” He smirked in Harry’s direction and left.

Harry turned back to Catherine with a gleam in his eye. “Where were we?” he asked, pulling her up against him tightly.

“Right about here…” she said, sliding her hand around to the back of his neck and pulling his head down to hers. He kissed her hard, and she gently stroked his bottom lip with her tongue. He opened his mouth to receive her gladly, and ran one hand up and down her back, while the other tangled itself into her silken hair. Harry picked her up and sat her on the hall table, pressing his mouth harder against hers. She responded eagerly, pushing back as hard as she could, taking her hands and caressing her way down his chest to his pants. She fumbled with the button for a moment, then finally freed it and began to tug down the zipper when Harry stopped her.

“Wait…wait just a minute…” he said, flushing red. Harry leaned forward and rested his forehead against hers. “I think we might be going just a little fast here…”

“I don’t mind.” Catherine said softly but boldly. He chuckled and drew her to him, stroking her long hair gently.

“You know, I was thinking…” Harry said after a long silence. “Maybe you don’t need to take that potion after all.”

“Why do you say that?” Catherine asked, pulling back and looking up at him.

“Well you’re remembering a lot of things now aren’t you…” Harry began but she interrupted him.

“Well, I really only had two memory flashes. All the things I have remembered since yesterday had to do with what that horrible man did to me, there’s really nothing before that.” She said as gently as possible. “Besides, I want to remember everything about my life, not just a few things.”

“I see.” Harry said, and smiled down at her. “As long as you’re sure.”

“I am sure, I’m absolutely positive.” She said, sliding off the table. “If we’re to make it to your friend Ron’s house for dinner, I have to go get ready.”

“All right.” Harry said, walking her over to the door. “Just come on back here when you’re ready and we can head over.”

She kissed him goodbye. “See you in a bit!”

* * *

They had had a very pleasant evening at Ron and Lavender’s, Harry was happy to see Catherine smiling and happy, since he knew tomorrow would be very difficult for her. When Harry had left her at her flat just a quarter of an hour ago, he had hugged her tightly and assured her once more that he’d help her face whatever came her way tomorrow. Now as he settled into bed himself, he began to grow a bit anxious, he knew now that there was no doubt she was Hermione, but he was more nervous about if the potion was made correctly for her to take. He sighed impatiently and brushed his worries aside the best he could, he trusted Ron to make sure everything was done right. With those thoughts in mind, he fell asleep.

**** Next Day****

“Come in!” Catherine called as a knock sounded on her bedroom door. Grace peeked in through the opening.

“Are you almost ready?” she asked.

“Yes, I just need to find my white shirt…” Catherine pulled it triumphantly from her closet, slipped it on and buttoned it up.

“Are you sure you’re going to be all right today?” Grace asked.

“Honestly? No, I’m not sure. I just want to get this whole day over with.” Catherine said, pulling her hair back off her face and securing it with a band.

“I don’t blame you.” Grace said sympathetically. “Harry came by while you were in the shower, he said he’d meet us over at the Ministry. Something about having to go early to check things over with Ron.”

“All right.” Catherine replied. “Well, let’s go, let’s get this over with.” She and Grace apparated out their flat and over to the front steps of the Ministry.

FLASH! Catherine blinked as a light bulb went off in her face. She reeled back and almost fell down but Grace steadied her.

“You must be Catherine Beaumont, tell the Daily Prophet, why are you pressing charges against Mr. Draco Malfoy?” a pointy blond woman shoved a wizard recording device at her.

“I uh…” Catherine stammered.

“She’s not answering any questions!” Grace snapped loudly, and she shoved the device away from the two women. She and Catherine hurried up the stairs away from the bright hungry eyes of the reporters.

“Thanks Grace.” Catherine breathed. “That was a bit scary.”

“Are you two all right?” Harry asked, striding up to them. “I was going to meet you outside but you’re early.”

“We’re fine.” Grace said, speaking for both of them. “I’m going to go sit inside the hearing room ok?” she squeezed Catherine’s hand in support and walked away.

Harry already seemed to know not to ask her once more if she was all right. He took her by the hand and led her down the hall. “We’re going to keep you in a separate room until the hearing begins in case any of the press gets in here.”

“Sounds good to me.” Catherine said. “I could use some piece and quiet before this all begins.”

Harry smiled and opened a door for her. “After you.” He said.

She entered the room; it was a comfortable beige color with a long sofa inside. Catherine sat down and patted the spot beside her. “Are you going to stay with me?”

“If you like.” Harry replied, shutting the door behind him. He sat down next to her and stretched his legs out in front of him. “Did you sleep okay last night?”

“I suppose so.” She replied. “You?”

Harry smirked. “Not really…” he was interrupted by Ron entering the room.

“Well, I think we’re just about set. Malfoy’s being brought in now, and the contraption is ready for you.” He nodded in Catherine’s direction. “If for any reason you get too weak to use it, let us know, and we’ll turn it off.”

“Okay.” She sighed and stood up, Harry coming up behind her. The three of them silently entered the large room, where a large number of people gathered. It was set up like a Muggle courtroom, albeit there was no jury, just the new Minister of Magic, Neville Longbottom. Harry was surprised to see this, but very happy for his old Hogwarts friend. Neville nodded to Harry and Catherine (Ron had filled him in on the situation) and they all took their seats. Catherine was careful not to look in Draco Malfoy’s direction, in case any new memories should rush over her. What she had to do today was damaging enough to her mind.

Neville banged a gavel loudly on his stand. “Silence!” his voice was magnified throughout the room, reminding Harry greatly of Dumbledore in his first year with the troll. “The hearing and conviction of one Draco Malfoy will now begin!” Neville nodded to Ron.

“Okay,” Ron said, lifting up the contraption. “This goes on so you can see through it with your eyes, just strap it onto the back of your head.” With Harry’s help they fastened it on securely. Ron reached to the back of it and hit a small button. “When you think of a memory, just squeeze this panel and the projection will start.”

Catherine nodded and took a few deep breaths to steady herself. She willed one of the memories that had so recently sprouted in her mind to come forth, and squeezed the panel. The projector roared to life.

(Okay, if anyone gets bothered by any scenes of suffering such as the flashback about to take place, scroll down to where you see a line like this:

~*~*~*~*~*~ And you will know when to start reading again.)

Harry watched the screen set up as a dank stone dungeon came into view. He felt his insides tighten as he saw the picture turn to a woman who was sprawled on the floor, dressed in nothing but rags. He bit down on his lower lip as he recognized Hermione’s face, which at the time was rather badly bruised. Her lip was swollen, and her one eye was half shut from injuries. The door on the opposite end of the room swung open and a younger Draco Malfoy entered.

“Ahhh…. awake I see.” He snarled cruelly. Malfoy walked right up to her and pulled her up by her long hair. She cried out and he struck her so hard that the entire audience watching the screen recoiled in horror.

“You think I’ll be nice to you just because you can’t remember who you are?” he spat, throwing her back down to the ground. He kicked her hard in the stomach and she screamed in pain and curled up in a fetal position.

“Hungry, mudblood?” he leaned close to her. “Wish you had something to eat?” he sneered as she turned and tried to look up at him through one eye.

“Please?” her voice came out soft and trembling. “Please may I have something to eat?” Malfoy shouted out loud and backhanded her again.

“You really think I’d do that?” he hissed, bringing his face close to hers once more. “You think I want to make anything comfortable for you?” he sat back and smiled evilly at her. “It’s not enough my curse made you forget about everything, no, my revenge is only starting….”

This memory faded out, and a new one took place. This time Hermione was sitting up against the wall, looking peaked but stronger, she was still rather badly bruised and beaten, but there was a gleam in her eye that hadn’t been there before. The audience watched in horror and disgust as she leaned over and lapped up water like a dog from a puddle on the dirty floor. She sat back up quickly when the door banged open and Malfoy once again entered. Hermione forced her eyes to droop, and she slouched down against the wall.

“Get up Mudblood…” he said, grabbing her thin arm and hauling her up like a rag doll. The chain pulled against her arm from the other direction, and Malfoy pushed her hard against the wall. He snarled at her and turned to walk to the other side of the dungeon. “I hate breathing the same air as you Mudblood.”

Hermione quickly pulled out a long metal like pin and deftly unhooked the chain, then the other ones that kept her other arm and legs attached to the wall. She picked up one of the rusty metal bars from what used to be out of her reach and snuck up behind Draco, then beaned him hard on the head with it. He slumped to the ground, and then the screen went blank.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Catherine was visibly shaking as Harry and Ron quickly removed the contraption from her head. Tears streaked down her face and her lower lip trembled, and Harry gathered her in his arms.

“Shhh…” he consoled her. “It’s all over now, all over.”

Everyone in the room was staring at Malfoy with a look of loathing. Ron stepped up to the front of the room and cleared his throat.

“On behalf of Mr. Harry Potter, I have cut a deal with Draco Malfoy. He has signed the contract not to press any charges if we do not administer the Kiss to him.” Ron leaned forward and spoke quietly to Neville. “He still goes to Azkaban for life, however, he can not come back and try to exact his revenge on Harry anymore.”

Neville agreed to the contract as well, and banged his gavel once more on his podium. “Draco Malfoy,” he said as he glared down at him. “You are sentenced to life in Azkaban for the use of an Unforgivable Curse. However, since you have agreed to the contract not to press charges against Harry Potter for assault, the Kiss will not be administered to you.” Neville waved at two guards standing in the corner. “They will be escorting you in now.”

Draco went with them wordlessly, however, when he passed by Harry and Catherine, he raised his head and glared at the two of them, the poison in his eyes darting out at the two of them. Harry expected Catherine to back away but she firmly stood her ground, tears and all, and glared right back at him. Her lip curled slightly in disgust, and she clenched Harry’s hand tightly as Draco was led away to face his new life.

“I hope he rots in Hell.” Catherine said tightly as she turned to face Harry. “I don’t ever want to go through that again.” Harry gathered her in his arms.

“You won’t have to, ever again.” Harry said. “It’s over now, it truly is, I promise.”

“Can you promise?” She asked, a bit more harshly than she intended to. “If it’s happened once it can happen again!” Harry looked stricken at her words. “Look, I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant for you.” She said, feeling sorry. “I’m just feeling so damned angry right now…”

“It’s all right.” Harry said. “Look, let’s go find you a punching bag or something.” He took her by the arm and led her back down the hall. “I say we slip out the back way and apparate so we don’t have to face the reporters again.”

“Sounds good to me.” Catherine said. They began to make their way out the back door when Ron’s shout stopped them.

“Wait!” he said breathlessly, running up to them. He bent over a moment with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. “Potion’s ready.”

“What?” Harry said, looking at him. “I thought you said it still had a few more days to go!”

Ron shook his head. “One of the potions masters here sped up the process. It’s ready.” Both he and Harry looked at Catherine.

“I want to take it.” she said immediately. “I want to take it today.”

“You don’t want to rest up for a few days?” Harry asked. “Once the potion is ready it’ll stay fine if you want to wait.”

“Harry, I can’t stand not remembering anymore. With everything that has happened in the last few weeks, I just want to know. I’ve been as content as I can be with no past for the last nine years, and now I want to know.” Catherine said firmly.

“Okay then.” Ron said after a moment. “Well, you need to come downstairs, the potion is rather strong and will most likely knock you out for a few days.” He held open a strong glass door for them and after a few moments came to a nice comfortable room, set up with a bed, chairs, adjoining bathroom and such. “You can crash in here, we can send for some of your clothing if you like.”

“I can have Grace bring something over.” Catherine said. “I want Harry to stay here.”

“Yes ma’am.” Harry said, mock saluting her. She rolled her eyes.

“Funny.” She sighed then and sat on the bed.

“I’ll have the potion sent down in about ten minutes.” Ron said. He caught Harry’s eye and seemed to understand something, for then he said, “You know, perhaps I’ll just go get it myself.” He exited the room and Harry smiled after him.

“I hope I remember everything…” Catherine said, getting back up and crossing the room to where Harry was standing. “I do mean everything…” she traced one finger down the length of his torso and looked up into his eyes.

“Me too.” Harry said softly. “More than anything…” He brought his forehead down to rest on hers, looking at her now closed eyes. “I’ll still love you either way.”

She opened her eyes in surprise and looked at him. “What did you say?”

“I said that I love you.” Harry said, a bit nervous. “I have since I was eighteen years old.”

“Harry…” she said, tears now sparkling in her eyes. “I love you too…” she brought her face up to his and kissed him gently, closing her eyes and causing the tears to spill down her face. He pulled his lips from hers and kissed them away, then brought his mouth back and nearly took her breath away with his gentleness and passion. She wrapped her arms around his neck so she could be as close as possible to him. He kissed her now without restraint, their tongues clashing and dancing while their mouths attacked one another without the slightest regard for the spectacle they were making for Ron and the potions master that had accompanied him.

“Ahem.” Ron cleared his throat and the two of them jumped apart guiltily. Harry flushed crimson while Catherine tried to straighten out her shirt.

“Ambir here is the potions mistress that sped up the brewing process. Ruddy genius.” Ron said after they had finished straightening up. “She came down to make sure everything goes okay when you take it.” he said, nodding to Catherine.

“Great.” She said. Ambir smiled at her kindly.

“You’ll probably want to get on the bed first, this will knock you right off your feet most likely.” Ambir said. “You’ll be asleep for a few days while your memories come back to you. Gives the brain a chance to recuperate.” Catherine nodded, a bit nervous now. She held her hand out to Harry, who came to the bedside and took it immediately.

“Take it all in one gulp.” Ambir advised, pulling the cork off the long twisted vial. “It’s horrible tasting and you’ll never get it down otherwise.”

“Okay…” her voice trembled a little as she took the vial. “Well…. here goes.” She tipped back her head and swallowed the contents quickly. Her head fell back against the pillow heavily, and Harry immediately shot out his hand to stroke her face.

“It’ll be okay…”

* * *

It had been two days since Catherine had taken the potion. Harry had refused to leave the room, it had been hard enough for Ron to convince Harry to even make a run to the bathroom much less get him to come up and take a breath of fresh air. Grace had stopped by frequently, bringing new clothes for Catherine and sitting with Harry. The two of them had talked a lot over the time they waited by the bed and Harry felt forever grateful to her for being such a wonderful friend.

“I wonder how much longer she’ll be out.” Harry said, stretching his frame but not letting go of her hand.

“Hopefully not much longer.” Grace replied. “I have to leave, I have to work tonight and I still need to go home and get ready.”

“I’ll find you if she wakes.” Harry said. Grace hugged him goodbye and left.

He let his weary head rest on the side of the bed; he’d hardly slept a wink in about three days.

She cracked her eyes open, her vision was rather blurred, all she could make out was the pale gray color of the room. Shadowy shapes made out a doorframe on the other side of the room. She tried to sit up; something was holding her one hand down. A sudden movement made her look up.

“Who are you?” she asked.

(A/N: Heehee and you thought last chapter was a cliffhanger ;)

The idea I borrowed from MythX was his viewer for showing memories; it’s not used the same way as he does in his amazing fic, but it’s the same idea. Make sure you check out Harry Potter and the Pit of Time, very cool story.

Thanks again to all who reviewed. Your comments literally make my day!

Next up: Is she Catherine, Hermione, or a nobody again?

And please, I do ask that you not flame me for writing that scene. I gave you fair warning that it was there, and ample space after so people who did not want to read it don’t have to. I thank you.

While you’re waiting for the next chapter, make sure you check out the works of Ryoko Blue, God of Fire, and Lydia Silver Maiden, all of which you can find links to in my favorite author section.)

11. Awakenings

Chapter 11

(A/N: Yet another chapter I have to thank you for, the overwhelming response is just fabulous. I do read each and every review and I thank you greatly for them.)

The figure just stood there looking at her for a moment. She blinked to clear her eyes and watched the woman break out into a smile.

“Glad to see you have awakened. I’m Dr. Amanda Rafferty. We’ve been monitoring you for about two days now since you took the counter curse potion.” The woman pulled her clipboard against her chest and moved towards the door. “I’ll go get Mr. Weasley, but I daresay you’ll want to wake Mr. Potter yourself.” She smiled and shut the door behind her.

She turned to see a head of black hair resting on the bedside next to her. One of her hands was clutched in his; she reached her other hand across to touch the silky black locks gently. She leaned over and smelled his hair; it had always been the same, a combination of soap and a faint woodsy scent. Her hand left his hair and gently stroked the side of his face. At her touch, gentle as it was, he awoke with a start and raised his head to look into her eyes.

They stared at each other for what seemed to be an eternity. Harry’s mouth opened to talk several times but nothing came out.

Harry knew. He knew by the look in her eyes who she was. “Hermione.” He said simply.

She smiled through the tears that had suddenly sprung to her eyes. “Harry…” she said softly, bringing her hand back to his face. Hermione never got a chance to finish her sentence before Harry had pulled her into a bone-crushing hug.

“Don’t even think of trying to pull away…” Harry said, pressing his face into her hair. “I’m never letting you go again.”

“I don’t care.” Her own voice was muffled. “Harry…I’ve missed you so much.” He pulled back and just looked at her for long moments, wanting to memorize every detail of her face that he possibly could. He took his thumb and brushed away the tears that were streaming down her cheeks, and leaned in to kiss her, but Ron pounded his way into the room.

“DID IT WORK?” he shouted. He saw the tears on both their faces and his heart sank for a moment.

“Ron!” Hermione cried happily. Ron whooped and flew to the bedside, where the trio had a most wonderful reunion.

It was a few hours later when the three of them emerged from the Ministry, Hermione had freshened herself up and was anxious to leave the building and get away from the stuffy room. She was also looking forward to getting reacquainted with life as herself. Hermione lifted her face up to the sun as they stepped outside, she remembered all of her life as Catherine, but she felt as if she, Hermione, had awoken from a long sleep. Harry turned to her and smiled.

“How are you feeling, love?” he asked, taking her hand in his.

“I feel wonderful.” She said, her eyes closed. Hermione leaned against him and rested her head on his shoulder. Harry turned and kissed her temple and she opened her eyes and smiled at him.

“What do you want to do?” Ron asked the two of them.

“Well, I should probably go to my flat and see Grace,” Hermione replied. “Ron, bring Lavender over later I want to see her.”

“Yes ma’am.” Ron said, mock saluting her. He hugged her again. “I’m really glad you’re back Herm. I’ve missed you.”

Hermione smiled back and hugged him tightly. “Me too Ron, me too.” She wiped away a stray tear. He squeezed her arm and shook Harry’s hand.

“I’ll be over in a bit then, I’ll just pop home and tell Lav the good news.” He apparated away and Harry turned to Hermione again.

“Let’s get you home.” He said, taking her hand. The two of them also apparated back to their building and arrived in the lobby.

“Do you want me to come with you or do you want to see Grace alone?” Harry asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. “I should probably see her alone.” She said. “Can I just come over when I’m done?”

Harry chuckled. “Of course. You’d better.”

“All right.” Hermione said. “I’ll be up in a bit then.” She kissed him on the cheek and then went up to her flat. Letting herself in quietly, she went down the hallway to the kitchen where Grace was sitting at the table, reading the Daily Prophet.

“Grace.” Hermione said, trying not to startle her. Grace’s head snapped up and she gasped.

“Cath!” she jumped from her chair and ran forward to hug her tightly.

“Actually, it’s Hermione.” She corrected gently. Grace pulled back.

“So you remember? Everything?” Grace asked.

Hermione nodded. “Everything.” A smile crossed her features. She sat down at the kitchen table and Grace followed suit. “I want to thank you again for being my friend all these years. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be here now.”

“Oh, that’s not true.” Grace said, looking down. Her face reddened. “I mean, I only took you to the hospital.”

“Yeah, and you talked to me, you cared for me, gave me a place to live and helped me live these past nine years.” Hermione insisted. “And if it weren’t for your pushing, I would never have gotten that job at the bookstore, and therefore probably never met Harry again.”

“Really?” Grace asked in a tiny voice.

“Yes, really.” Hermione insisted.

“Thanks Cath- I mean Hermione.” Grace said ruefully. “Sorry, it’s going to take me awhile to get used to that.”

“It’s okay.” Hermione said. She hugged Grace tightly.

“I’m afraid I won’t get to see you anymore now.” Grace said. “I mean, you’ll be off with Harry and your old friends now.”

“Well of course, but that doesn’t mean you can’t join us.” Hermione said warmly.

“Okay.” Grace said tentatively. “I made up with Justin.” She smiled.

“Did you really.” Hermione said, sitting back. “I didn’t know you two were fighting, I was so surprised when you brought…. him…. over.” her lip slightly curled up at the mere thought of Draco Malfoy.

“Well, we had a disagreement, he wanted to get more serious, and I didn’t…but I think I’m willing to give it a go.” Grace said.

“That’s great.” Hermione said. The two women sat together for a while and reacquainted themselves to a degree. About a half hour later Hermione stretched her arms over her head and stood up. “I need to get to Harry’s.” she said.

“Ahhh...” Grace said with a knowing look in her eye. “What are you two going to be up to this evening?”

“Not THAT!” Hermione shot a glare in her flat mate’s direction.

“Sure.” Grace said. “Go, get to know your husband again.”

“My husband…. I like that.” Hermione grinned. “My husband, husband…” she rolled the word around on her tongue as she knocked on Harry’s door.

Harry smiled as he saw Hermione muttering to herself when he peeked through the spy hole.

“Husband…husband…” he heard as he pulled the door open. She looked up at grinned at him.

“What about your husband?” he asked, pulling her inside. His arms curved around her waist and he pulled her up against him.

“You are.” Hermione said. She lifted her face to his so he could press his lips onto hers, which he did willingly. One of his hands locked with hers and the other caressed the side of her face. She parted her lips under his so she could feel his tongue enter her mouth and clash with hers. She remembered kissing him as Catherine, but this felt so new and fresh to her now, and she didn’t want it to end. She swept her free hand up into his raven locks, loving the feel of the soft strands between her fingers.

Harry wanted to take things further but he also didn’t want to push Hermione. He regretfully pulled his mouth from hers and led her into the living room.

“We should talk a bit, love.” He said, pulling her down onto the sofa next to him and wrapping his arms about her.

“What about?” Hermione asked. She did not want to talk.

Harry turned to look at her. “Well, for one thing, we need to go talk to Caty.”

“Oh, I can’t wait for that.” Hermione said. She felt twittering butterflies in her stomach. “I’m nervous though.”

“It’s all right.” Harry reassured her. “She likes you, I know she does.”

“Really?” Hermione asked. Harry got up and went into the kitchen for a moment, then came back with Caty’s letter.

“She’s really nice, and I think she’d make a good Mum for me…” Harry quoted from the note. Hermione felt a smile cross her face.

“When do we go see her?”

“Well, I will send a note to Dumbledore,” Harry said. “And then hopefully we can go to Hogwarts tomorrow, I don’t want to pull her from school.”

“What’s she like?” Hermione asked as he settled back down next to her.

“Well you already know she has both of us in her looks wise, she’s always been a smart kid, and sometimes a bit of a handful, and other times rather shy.” Harry laughed. “I remember one time when I let her go to the library herself for the first time, she took her little red wagon and checked out so many books she could barely pull it home. Then when one of the neighborhood kids came over to see if she’d let them borrow one, she said no because it would be breaking the rules…I never laughed so hard in my life.” He smiled fondly at the memory and Hermione was laughing heartily.

“Oh, that sounds like me when I was 11, doesn’t it…” her voice trailed off as she realized what she had said. “I can actually remember what my life was like at 11 now…I don’t think I’ll ever take that for granted again.” Hermione said softly.

Harry reached over and stroked her hair. “I don’t think so either…” he said. “I’m surprised you aren’t exhausted from all the emotional strain you’ve gone through today.”

“Well, I think that’s because a lot of my memories must have returned while I was sleeping.” Hermione said in her typical logical fashion.

“Did you ever look up anything, to try and find out who you were?” Harry asked.

Hermione sighed. “We tried. Grace and I spent entire afternoons at the newspaper offices, looking through records for missing persons, we never found anything.”

Harry bit his lower lip. “That’s my fault.” He muttered, bowing his head.

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked, a bit confused.

“Well, when you disappeared, Ron wanted to put out a notice about you. But I convinced him not to, just that we’d search for you until we found you. I didn’t want the unneeded attention….” Harry trailed off realizing how stupid his explanation must sound. “I didn’t want Caitlyn growing up constantly being badgered either, and when we couldn’t find you after a year….” Harry let his voice go as a tear slid down his cheek.

Hermione reached out her hand and touched the side of his face. “Harry, think about this. Draco Malfoy took me off a street, no one saw that happen. Then he kept me away from all civilization, for what was that year you searched for me. If you had placed a notice, there would have been pandemonium and you wouldn’t have gotten a moment’s rest.”

Harry finally turned to look at her. “You really think so?”

“I understand, Harry, I really do.” Hermione stroked his cheek with her palm.

“You’re awfully forgiving aren’t you.” He turned a tiny smile her way.

“I’m just happy.” She said, snuggling up against him. “How can I not be?”

A knocking came from the front door and they pulled themselves off of the couch and they went down the hallway. Harry opened the door and a blond figure hurtled through, followed by Ron who was shaking his head ruefully.

“HERMIONE!” Lavender shrieked, propelling herself at Hermione and wrapping her in a bear hug. “Oh my God, I can’t believe it’s you, that it’s been you all along!”

Harry and Ron laughed at the expression on Hermione’s face as the force of Lavender’s hug staggered her backwards.

“What took you so long to get over here?” Harry joked.

“This one here, she didn’t believe me at first when I told her the potion worked.” Ron said, jerking his head in Lavender’s direction.

“Well…” Lavender spoke up in her own defense, “Ron kept telling me there was no change, and I thought he was just being a smartass this time….” Everyone laughed again and Harry spoke up.

“How about some tea?” he asked. He took up Hermione’s hand and they all went into the kitchen.

“What are you guys going to do now?” Ron asked, as they all were sitting down and Harry magicked four mugs filled with tea to the table.

“Well, I have to send a note to Dumbledore, we’re going to Hogwarts to see Caitlyn.” Harry said.

“How are you feeling about that?” Lavender asked Hermione.

“I’m nervous about that, still.” She said, sipping her tea. “I mean, I know Harry said she likes me, but she’s only had him for ten years, I’ve just suddenly come back into her life.”

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll work everything out.” Lavender said confidently. “I mean, what little girl doesn’t want a mother?”

“She’s right.” Ron said. Harry nodded as well.

“You’re going to be fine.” He assured her. Yet Hermione was still nervous, three days later when they were once again standing before Hogwarts.

“What a rush.” Harry said, looking down at her. “I feel as if I’ve never left, you know?”

“Tell me about it.” Hermione agreed, closing her eyes and taking a few deep breaths. She squeezed Harry’s hand so tightly and he opened the doors. Professor McGonagall was waiting in the hallway to escort them to Dumbledore’s office. As they drew close Harry could swear he actually saw tears in her eyes at the sight of them.

“Hello, Professor McGonagall.” Harry said as they approached.

“It’s good to see you two again.” She smiled one of her rare smiles. “Professor Dumbledore is waiting to see you in his office.”

“Thanks, Professor.” Hermione said. They followed her up many staircases and down many passageways until they reached the hallway going to his office.

“The password is Glomping Gillyweed.” She told them. “I’ll leave you two here while I get your daughter.” She smiled again and marched back down the corridor. Harry and Hermione entered Dumbledore’s office.

“Mr. and Mrs. Potter.” Dumbledore greeted them as they stepped inside. They both grinned at each other.

“It’s wonderful to see you again Professor Dumbledore.” Hermione said. Harry stepped forward and shook his hand.

“Thanks for letting us come here to see Caitlyn.” He said. “I didn’t want to have to pull her away from school so soon, but with the circumstances, I wanted her to see her mother again as soon as possible.”

“Of course.” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. “I’m sure Professor McGonagall will have her here in just a few moments.” He turned to Hermione. “And how have you been feeling my dear?” he asked kindly.

“I’m doing well, thank you.” She replied. “My memories all returned to me while I was out from the potion, so it hasn’t been troubling me at all.”

Footsteps outside made her stop talking and turn to the door expectantly.

“…I swear, Professor, it wasn’t me who set off the dungbombs in the common room it was Blue’s cousins…” Caitlyn was saying nervously as McGonagall opened the door and they stepped inside. Her eyes scanned the room and came to rest on Harry and Hermione.

“Dad!” she cried happily and flung herself into his arms. Harry hugged his daughter tightly.

“Caty Cat, I missed you.” He said. He pulled her back at arms length. “I want you to meet someone.” Harry turned Caitlyn around to face Hermione, who looked like she was about to face a firing squad.

“Dad I already know who that is.” Caitlyn said. Harry chuckled.

“Well, not technically.” He brought both of his hands up and placed them on her shoulders. “Caty, this is your mother, Hermione.”

“Hi, Caitlyn.” Hermione said gently. None of them noticed Dumbledore and McGonagall leave the office. Hermione got up from her chair and kneeled down before her daughter. “Can I…hug you?” she asked tentatively.

Caitlyn looked at her for a long moment and then nodded. Hermione gratefully wrapped her arms around her and pulled her tightly against her.

“Mum…” Caitlyn whispered as she threw her own arms around Hermione’s neck. Tears ran out of her eyes when she heard her daughter acknowledge her.

“Hey let’s make this a family affair.” Harry said, and got down next to them and pulled them into his own embrace. They stayed like that for quite sometime.

“So how come you thought you were someone else?” Caitlyn finally asked later as they were seated at The Three Broomsticks, having something to eat.

“Well…” Hermione looked at Harry for support.

“There was a very horrible person who cursed your mum,” Harry said as gently as he could. “He’s now in prison, and he wont’ ever get out again.”

Caitlyn nodded resolutely. “Good.” She sent a shy smile at her mother, who had hardly been able to take her eyes off her all afternoon. “Are you coming to live with us?” she asked.

Hermione smiled. “I should think so.” She replied, looking once again at Harry.

“Absolutely.” He said.

Later that evening, they dropped Caitlyn back off at Hogwarts and then went down to the train station to apparate back home (They still could not apparate on Hogwarts ground). They entered the lobby of the building, and Harry walked Hermione to her door, as she was still staying with Grace for the time being.

“Goodnight Harry.” She said, raising herself to kiss him. “What time are you coming over in the morning?”

“Stay with me tonight.” Harry said, ignoring her question.

Hermione’s eyes widened. “Harry…”

“I want to wake up next to you tomorrow morning. I promise, we don’t have to do anything…” He interrupted her, pleading with his eyes.

She thought for a moment and nodded. “All right.” She agreed.

(A/N: Well there you have it, she’s Hermione, as if you didn’t know *smirk* LOL And don’t get your knickers in a twist thinking I’m leaving you off at a cliffhanger, nothing sexual is happening between them…. yet…. heehee Anyways, please don’t forget to read and review! Next chapter probably won’t be up till next week because this is STAR WARS WEEKEND!)

12. Will You?

Chapter 12

(A/N: Ok, for those of you that haven’t seen Star Wars yet, DO SO!!! It’s excellent!!

Thanks again for all the reviews you guys left me, every one of them is appreciated- especially since there are no flames :)

There are three more chapters left after this one, and I do hope you enjoy them!

More mood music! If you want, get the song A New Day Has Come by Celine Dion, the ALBUM VERSION not the remix they play on the radio!

And I used Ryoko’s Hermione middle name, Leanne.)

The sunlight streamed through the window over Harry’s bed and directly into Hermione’s closed eyelids.

“Ermph…” she said, rolling on her side, her nose immediately hit something solid. Her eyes opened to find her body nestled next to Harry’s. Hermione felt a smile curve across her lips as she watched his chest rise and fall rhythmically; one arm slung over his head, the other was nestled under her neck. A sense of delight filled her like she had never known before. Even though they had not made love the night before, Harry had been a perfect gentleman, simply content just to hold her and every now and then kiss her deeply. She had not minded that in the least, and now the urge to feel his lips on hers was so great, Hermione leaned over and gently placed her mouth on his.

Harry smiled inwardly as he felt Hermione lean over him and press her lips to his. Gently, so she wouldn’t feel the movement, he wrapped his arms around her tightly and rolled her up on top of him. She squealed in surprise.

“Harry James Potter!” she said in mock anger, and he laughed. “How long have you been awake?”

“Just now.” He smirked up at her and she grinned and kissed him once more.

“As much as I love kissing you,” Harry said smiling up at her, “I have to tell you, you’ve got the worst case of morning breath I’ve ever smelled.”

Hermione felt her jaw drop down. “I can’t believe you just said that. It’s not like your breath is rose scented either!” she poked him hard in the chest with her index finger.

“Ouch!” Harry said, laughing again as she pushed off of him and headed for the bathroom. “Hey, where are you going?”

“To use your toothbrush!” she grinned devilishly at him and closed the bathroom door. Harry jumped off the bed and opened it, grinning at her as she squirted white paste onto his blue toothbrush.

“Honestly Harry,” she said, talking around a mouthful of foam. “I would think you’d at least have one of those nice spin brushes.”

“I don’t see you complaining.” Harry replied as he watched her brush vigorously. She spat the paste into the sink and smiled brightly at him.

“All clean!” she sang. Harry shook his head and brushed his own teeth quickly.

“I need to take a shower.” Hermione said. Harry leaned back against the sink and folded his arms across his bare chest.

“Okay.” He said. She raised her eyebrows at him.

“Are you going to stay here while I do?”

Harry puckered his lips in a pout. “Please?”

Hermione couldn’t help but smile at his antics. “Maybe tomorrow.” She said, grabbing his arm and pulling him towards the door.

His face lit up like a child’s on Christmas Day. “Okay then.” He stuck his tongue out at her and she closed the door behind him.

Harry snickered at his own antics as he pulled out a clean pair of jeans and a shirt to wear that day. He felt wonderful, like he had just won the lottery. Everything in his life was falling back into place. It was almost as if the past 10 years hadn’t happened. Almost, but not quite.

After a few more moments, he heard the shower shut off, and the sound of Hermione humming came through the doorway. A minute after that, she stepped back into his bedroom with nothing but a towel wrapped around her.

Harry clenched his jaw hard as he saw her in that towel, with the water droplets clinging to her skin, her very long dark hair falling down her back. The towel shifted a bit as she bent over to pick up her clothing and Harry had to turn away to contain himself, taking a deep breath and biting down hard on his lower lip. He wanted nothing more than to take her right there, but he wanted even more to respect her feelings. He yanked the shirt on over his head and stepped into his jeans, zipping them up roughly.

“You’re not going to shower?” Hermione asked, having picked up her clothes.

“I will later.” He said.

She nodded. “I’ll be right back.” She went back into the bathroom and put her clothes from the previous night back on, she could change when she went to her flat later. She went back into the bedroom and was rather amused to see Harry pacing the floor.

“Will not think about her in a towel….” He kept mumbling over and over. She smiled and sneaked up behind him, wrapping her arms around his middle.

“What’s wrong with me in a towel?” she asked innocently, as he turned around to face her.

“Absolutely nothing.” Harry sighed, looking down at her. “It just scares me how much of my self control jumps out the window when you’re around.”

“I’m sorry.” She apologized. Hermione felt bad, she’d have taken her clothes into the bathroom with her if she’d known how he was feeling.

“It’s all right.” Harry smiled down at her, and then pulled her tighter into his arms and she rested her head against his chest.

“Oh!” she cried a moment later, pulling her head away, and looking at his shirt, which was now wet from her hair. “I’m sorry!”

“It’s all right.” Harry said. He grabbed his wand from the night table and cast a drying spell on the shirt.

Hermione moved to the dresser and took up his brush. “I should dry my hair before I get everything else wet.” She pointed to his wand. “Can you cast a drying spell for me?”

“I’ll do more than that.” Harry came up beside her and took the brush from her hand. He muttered the drying spell and her long hair was instantly dry. Harry guided her over to the bed, and then began to pull the brush through her hair, gently, using his fingers to work out any snarls. He loved the feel of her silky locks as they slid through his fingers; he leaned forward and smelled his shampoo, which had an ocean scent to it.

“You smell good.” He said, burying his face in her hair. Hermione leaned back and he dropped the brush to the floor and wrapped his arms around her.

“Don’t stop doing that.” She murmured. Harry kept one arm wrapped around her waist while the other went back up to her hair and combed through it with his fingers.

“I can’t believe you kept your hair this long.” Harry said. “Not that I’m complaining, mind you.”

She smiled. “Yeah, me either. I thought about asking Grace what spells she used to change how I looked, but I don’t mind staying this way.”

“I love how you look either way.” Harry said, turning her face towards his.

“Thank you.” She replied, kissing him quickly, and then standing up.

“You going somewhere?” he asked, grabbing her hand and tugging on it, wanting her back on the bed next to him.

“I can’t stay here all day…” she said. “I do have to go home sometime.”

“You are home.” Harry said. He got up and pulled her back into his embrace. “I want you to move in here with me, and with Caitlyn.”

“You don’t beat around the bush do you?” Hermione asked.

“Not with this.” Harry said seriously. “I want you here for the rest of our lives.”

“Well…” Hermione said, looking up at him. “Perhaps you want to help me pack?”

Harry whooped and spun her around much like he had when she, as Catherine, had told him about some of her memories. Hermione laughed gaily as the room whirled around her.

“Ohhh now I’m dizzy.” She groaned as he set her down.

“Perhaps you’d like a little mouth to mouth?” Harry asked her, his eyes twinkling.

“Oh yes, that would be nice, I feel quite faint…” Hermione teased. She fell back, knowing Harry would catch her. He grabbed around her waist and pulled her back up tightly against him.

Harry leaned forward and teased her lips with his own, brushing them lightly against hers. Hermione took the bait and placed both her hands at the back of his head, pressing her mouth against his roughly, forcing him to part his lips so that she could taste every aspect of him. He pushed her back down on the bed and fell on top of her.

“You have such a one track mind…” she said.

It was definitely some time later that Hermione finally managed to leave Harry’s flat. He told her he wanted to take her out for dinner that night, and therefore had to make arrangements, and promised to stop by later to help her pack up her things to make the move to his place.

“I can’t believe you’re moving out.” Grace complained as she helped pack up Hermione’s things later that afternoon.

“Grace it’s not like I’m moving far, it’s just one floor up.” Hermione said, magicking some clothes from the closet into a box.

“I know, but now I really feel as if I won’t see you anymore.” Grace said, sitting down on the bed and crossing her arms.

Hermione stopped what she was doing and took a good look at her friend. “Grace…” she said, sitting down next to her. “I promise, I swear, that I’ll always make time for you. It’s like I keep saying, if it weren’t for you, I probably wouldn’t be here right now.” She put her arm around Grace’s shoulder. “We’ll still see each other all the time, I just won’t be living here anymore. Besides, now you can bring your dates in here and be as loud as you want.”

Grace looked at her a moment and then the two of them burst into laughter.

“That’s a good point.” Grace said, wiping her eyes. She held out her hand, her pinky finger extended. “Pinky swear that we’ll always stay the best of friends.”

Hermione smiled and hooked her pinky finger around Grace’s. “Pinky swear.” She said, and the two of them hugged. Hermione looked around the room, she was only half done. “I should really keep working now, I want to have this finished by the time Harry comes by.”

“Speaking of Harry,” Grace said slyly, “What did you two do last night?”

“Nothing!” Hermione said. “We didn’t have sex, if that’s what you’re implying.”

“Why not?” Grace asked. “I would have.”

“Grace!” Hermione whirled around.

“Sorry.” Grace said sheepishly.

“I don’t know why we didn’t.” Hermione said after a moment. “I guess it just wasn’t the right moment, you know?”

“Yeah, sometimes it needs to be just right…” Grace agreed. She folded the last shirt and placed it carefully in a box. “Doesn’t this all seem to be going really fast?”

“Yes it does.” Hermione replied. “Not that the past nine years with you haven’t been a blast, but I’m happy to finally know everything, and regain my life.”

“Yeah, I can understand that.” Grace said, helping her shrink the boxes down. “I have some news for you though.”

“Oh really?” Hermione looked up in interest.

Grace smiled widely. “Justin and I got back together.”

“That’s great!” Hermione said, genuinely happy.

“He’s taking me to the Caribbean this weekend.” Grace said.

“Oooh,” Hermione teased. She sat down on the edge of the bed. “I remember back in school everyone thought he was gay for a time, because he and Seamus Finnigan were joined at the hip. Turns out they were doing some project together and they both worked best at night….” She trailed off laughing at Grace’s look of horror.

“Gay?” Grace finally managed to utter.

“No, no he’s not!” Hermione said through her laughter. “Everyone just THOUGHT he was!”

“You are so mean!” Grace said, grabbing a pillow and whacking Hermione over the head with it.

“Hey!” Hermione cried, laughing even harder. She retaliated by smacking Grace’s face with her own pillow, the two women shrieking with laughter as feathers started flying around the room.

Harry knocked on the door to Grace and Hermione’s flat. He could hear them inside, but they weren’t answering the door. Putting his hand on the knob, it opened and he stepped through the doorway. Following the noise, he was amused in the least to see Hermione and Grace in the midst of a pillow fight, the white feathers from the pillows were thick in the air, and Harry laughed inwardly to see some of them settle in Hermione’s dark hair.

A grunt at his elbow made him turn, and he was surprised to see Justin Finch Fletchley standing at his side.

“Harry.” He said, nodding his head (all four of them had had dinner together a few nights before, so Justin knew all that had occurred). “Boy did we get here at the wrong time or what?”

“I think so.” Harry said, as the two women finally noticed both of the men standing in their doorway. “You know, the only thing you guys are missing is the mud, and this would be complete.”

“Yeah, why weren’t we invited to the orgy?” Justin asked as innocently as possible.

“You’re disgusting.” Grace said dryly, obviously not meaning it from her tone of voice. She stepped over the now flat pillowcase and kissed Justin.

Harry turned away to look at Hermione, who was biting the inside of her lower lip. He walked across the room and pulled a few feathers from her locks.

“Well I had everything packed…” Hermione said, grinning as she looked around the room. “Now I need new pillows.”

“Did you get everything else packed already?” Harry asked in surprise, trying to ignore the muffled sounds coming from the doorway where Grace and Justin were still kissing.

“Yes, we did.” Hermione said proudly. A loud slam made her jump into Harry’s arms and they both looked to see that Grace and Justin had stumbled out into the hall, pulling the door shut along with them.

“Goodness.” Hermione said.

“You’re still very jumpy.” Harry commented, absentmindedly rubbing one hand in a soothing motion on Hermione’s back.

“Loud noises, yes.” She said. Hermione bent over and picked up the shrunken boxes. “Here’s everything.” She carefully deposited them into Harry’s palm.

“Think it’s safe to go out there?” Harry asked, carefully inching open the door and peering out into the hallway. Hermione peeked over his shoulder.

“Oh good, they’ve gone into her bedroom.” Hermione said, pushing the door open all the way and going down the hallway. A few grunts and moans were heard from behind the closed door of Grace’s room; Harry and Hermione scurried out even quicker.

Harry let them into the door of his, rather, THEIR flat, and deposited the boxes on the floor, enlarging them to their normal size. They spent the next few hours unpacking things, and finally had everything set up the way it should be.

Harry glanced at the clock on the wall. “Is it that late already?” he asked in disbelief.

“Why?” Hermione looked up from the books she was placing on the shelf.

“We have dinner plans at seven.” Harry replied.

“We do?” Hermione asked. “Where?”

“It’s a surprise.” Harry grinned at her. “But wear something nice, formal.” With that he sprinted down the hall to take a shower.

Hermione looked after him for a moment, and then went to the closet where she was pleased to see that Harry had carefully hung up all her clothing neatly. She flipped through what she had, and then spied a white garment bag at the back of the closet. Curious, she pulled it down and there was a little note attached to the top.

-Hermione, knock him dead…. love Grace-

“Grace, you are too much!” Hermione whispered as she saw the dress. It was gorgeous; it was blue, almost violet really, made of silk with one diagonal strap across the back, which dipped down low, the bodice in the front was just revealing enough to keep her comfortable, and the whole thing had a shimmer to it that made Hermione wonder if it had been charmed. Smiling to herself, she took what she would need to get ready, then went into the guest bathroom and cleaned herself up and used the spare bedroom to get dressed.

Harry stepped out of the shower and into the bedroom. “Hermione?” he called.

“What?” she answered.

“Where are you?”

“I’m getting ready in the spare room.” She answered. “I’ll be out in a few minutes!” She finished pulling the dress on and was able to zip it up on the side. Then she took up her long hair and twisted it into a fancy bun, and pinned it securely. Hermione put on some of her favorite cologne, used her wand to apply a bit of makeup, and she was ready.

Harry was getting frustrated; he could not get his tie on right for some reason. He supposed it was due to nerves; he had a very special evening planned.

“Bloody tie!” He said angrily, pulling it off and throwing it onto the dresser. A soft laugh from the doorway made him turn, and his breath caught in his throat at the sight of Hermione.

“Having trouble?” she asked lightly, she seemed to float into the room.

“I uh…yeah, uh, just a little.” Harry managed to mumble. “You look incredible.”

Hermione blushed under his intense gaze. “Thank you.” She picked up the tie and walked over to Harry. Looping it around his neck, she tried to keep her attention on knotting it correctly, but the look in his eyes was distracting her. “Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked, keeping her eyes averted, as she did not trust her sense of self control.

“I’ve never seen anyone look so amazingly beautiful in my life.” Harry said as she managed to finish putting his tie on. Hermione looked up at him, then raised herself up the last few inches and gently pressed her lips to his.

“I love you.” She said softly. “So much.”

“I love you.” Harry replied. “Never stopped, not once.”

“In a strange sense,” Hermione said. “I don’t think I ever did either…somehow, I knew that there was someone or something out there for me….” Harry kissed her again, and then pulled back.

“We’re going to be late.” He said. They went into the living room, where Harry threw some Floo Powder into the fireplace.

“If we’re seen on the streets we’ll get mugged, this is the easiest way to get where we’re going.” He said.

“Just where are we going?” Hermione asked.

Harry smiled and turned around. “The Golden Snitch!” he called out, and he grabbed Hermione’s hand as they whirled through and came out of the fireplace at Oliver’s club.

“What are we doing here?” Hermione felt a bit confused, as they were dressed quite formally. Harry said nothing, but covered her hand with his and led her over to the elevator.

“Close your eyes.” Harry said as they had stepped inside and the elevator began taking them up.

“Okay.” Hermione said, closing her eyes. She could feel the elevator coming to a stop, and the doors opening, the cool night air rushing in.

“Open.” Harry said as soon as he had guided her outside. Hermione opened her eyes back up and gazed in wonder at the roof.

The half walls guarding the edges of the rooftop had small lanterns strung along, a closer look revealed small fairies inside. Soft classical music was playing, out of nowhere, and a tiny table was set up in the middle of the roof, with two seats and one candle in the middle.

“Surprise.” Harry said quietly in her ear.

"Did you do all this?" Hermione turned and asked with a large smile.

"Well..." Harry wrapped his arms around her waist. "I planned it, Oliver had it set up for us." He took her by the arm and escorted her to the table. "I hope you're hungry."

"Ravenous." Hermione replied. "All that moving today got me starving."

"Well, all you have to do is think of what kind of food you like, and it will appear on the plate." Harry told her

“Really.” Hermione said, looking down at the plate. Her eyes drifted back up and she watched as Harry closed his eyes tightly and a moment later, fish and chips appeared on his plate.

“Fish and chips, huh…” she said.

Harry only smiled back at her. “Your turn.” He said. Hermione looked down again at her plate and concentrated on her favorite meal, lemon pepper chicken with a side of Chinese snow peas, and a bottle of champagne.

“Wow.” Harry’s voice made her open her eyes. “You’re a lot more detailed than I am.”

“I even thought of a drink.” Hermione said smugly, as Harry, being the gentleman, poured the champagne into two glasses. She held hers up.

“Shall we make a toast?” Hermione asked, thickening her accent in a haughty manner.

“We shall.” Harry said, doing the same. “To you, the only woman I will ever love.”

Hermione blushed and clinked her glass against his. “And you as well, the only one for me, ever.” Harry leaned across the table and kissed her softly.

They finally started in on their dinner. While Hermione ate everything on her plate, Harry was only able to pick at his supper.

“That was wonderful, as far as food goes coming from our minds.” Hermione said, sitting back in her chair.

“Yeah, it was really good.” Harry said, sitting back. He checked his watch. “I need to use the bathroom, I’ll be right back.”

“All right.” Hermione said, watching him go to the elevator. Harry jabbed the button and a moment later the doors opened and he rode back down to the main floor. Oliver met him in the back room.

“Everything working out okay?” he asked. Harry nodded.

“So far so good.” He looked at the bag in Oliver’s hand. “Have you got the…”

“Yes, they’re right in here.” Oliver said. “You owe me so much for this Potter.”

“Yeah, I know, I know.” Harry said, pulling a length of cloth out of the bag.

Hermione stood up and walked over to the edge of the roof, looking over the half wall down at Diagon Alley. Faintly, she could hear people talking and music blaring; the classical music that had been playing when she and Harry had arrived had stopped a few moments before. She heard the noise of the elevator doors opening behind her, and she turned. Her mouth opened in shock and surprise as Harry and Oliver came out, both dressed to the nines in full Scottish kilts.

“Harry…” Hermione said, unsure of what to think of this.

“I thought you liked men in kilts…” Harry said, coming up to her. “Don’t I look like Mel Gibson?”

“Oh dear…” Hermione said. “You look better than Mel, any day of the week.” She leaned forward and kissed him, softly but passionately. They would have gone on, but Oliver chose that moment to begin playing Scotland the Brave on his set of bagpipes.

“Oliver!” Harry motioned to him to cut the bagpipes.

“Sorry.” Oliver said, snapping his fingers and the classical music began to waft through the air once more. He sheepishly smiled at the two of them and went back downstairs.

Harry turned back to Hermione; his stomach was alight with butterflies now that they were alone once more.

“Are you all right?” Hermione asked, concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Harry willed himself to calm down. He reached with one hand in the pocket and drew out a small box.

“Hermione…” he said, getting down on one knee. Hermione’s eyes opened wide as realization set in.

“I know that technically, we are still married, but I want everything to be new.” Harry began. “Ever since you disappeared, my life has only been half full, but now that you’re back, everything is as it should be.”

Hermione’s eyes sparkled with tears. “Harry…” she began, but he shushed her.

“Will you, Hermione Leanne Potter, marry me, again?” Harry managed to say. “Will you become Hermione Leanne Potter?” they both laughed softly, and Hermione took Harry’s hand and he stood up.

“Harry, of course I will.” She said. “I want nothing more in this world than that.”

Harry released the breath he had been holding and drew her into his embrace tightly. They kissed briefly, and then Harry pulled the ring he had bought from the box and slipped it on her finger.

“Harry, what a beautiful ring!” Hermione exclaimed. She had never been one for flashy rings, but this one took her breath away. It was a large, clear-cut emerald, surrounded by about eight sparkling diamonds. “I love emeralds.” She said, looking up at him. “They remind me of your eyes.”

Harry smiled, but his eyes remained serious. “I’m never letting you out of my sight this time Hermione. I lived ten years without you, and I can’t do it again.”

“You won’t have to, never.” Hermione answered softly. The classical music stopped once more and a new song began to play.

“May I have this dance?” Harry asked, taking her hand.

“You may.” Hermione answered, smiling radiantly up at him. Harry pulled her up close to him, one arm around her waist, the other still holding up her hand. She rested her head against his chest.

A new day has come

A new day has... come

I was waiting for so long

For a miracle to come

Everyone told me to be strong

Hold on and don't shed a tear

Harry tightened his hold on Hermione as a cool breeze flew across the roof.

Through the darkness and good times

I knew I'd make it through

And the world thought I had it all

But I was waiting for you

Hush, love

I see a light in the sky

Oh, it's almost blinding me

I can't believe

I've been touched by an angel with love

Let the rain come down and wash away my tears

Let it fill my soul and drown my fears

Let it shatter the walls for a new sun

A new day has... come

Hermione had never felt more secure in her life as she did right now.

Where it was dark now there's light

Where there was pain now there's joy

Where there was weakness, I found my strength

All in the eyes of a boy

Hush, love

I see a light in the sky

Oh, it's almost blinding me

I can't believe

I've been touched by an angel with love

Harry drew back a little to look down at Hermione. He regarded her with such love that he felt like he was going to burst. He bent down and kissed her gently.

Let the rain come down and wash away my tears

Let it fill my soul and drown my fears

Let it shatter the walls for a new sun

A new day has... come

Let the rain come down and wash away my tears

Let it fill my soul and drown my fears

Let it shatter the walls for a new sun

A new day has... come

Harry and Hermione were still kissing as the song came to an end; neither of them noticed the silence that had overtaken the roof.

“Harry.” Hermione said, breaking free. “I just want to know one thing.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“Did you go traditional under that kilt?” Hermione smiled up at him devilishly.

“What do you mean…oh….” Harry said as realization dawned on him. He grinned back at her. “Wouldn’t you like to find out?”

“I think I would,” Hermione replied, running one finger down his torso. Harry gulped hard.

“Really?” he asked. “You want to…” he was cut off as Hermione pressed her lips to his. “Need…fireplace…our flat…” Harry was able to manage. They scurried back to the elevator and rode down to the main floor, then used Floo Powder to quickly get back to their flat.

Harry half carried Hermione down the hall as she didn’t want to seem to take her mouth from his. He gently put her down on the bed, and then lay down next to her.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked, kissing her fingertips.

“I’ve never been more positive of anything in my life,” Hermione said. “Except when I said I’d marry you.”

Harry smiled and kissed her again, and Hermione got her wish- she found out what was under Harry’s kilt.

(A/N: Teehee, look at those two go! :) Anyways, while you wait for the next chapter, be sure and check out some of my other stories if you haven’t already, and those of Ryoko Blue, Lydia Silver Maiden, God of Fire, and a really cute story called Evergreen by WhiteLady.)

13. Wedding Preparations

Chapter 13

(A/N: Another chapter to thank you guys for, the overwhelming amount of reviews I got excited me to no end!!! Each and every comment is truly appreciated!!

AgiVega- LOL tell me, what do you think Harry had on under that kilt? heehee

Paladin Steelbreaker- I’m glad you didn’t short out your keyboard ;) LOL

ECR Potter- Yes, this story is going to be somewhat fluffy from here on out, the drama is over ;) But I do promise it will still be good.

Lily Cat- Hmm…maybe I want to keep Oliver in that kilt a little while longer…yeah, what nice imagery that provides ;)

Okay, on with the story!!!! Enjoy!)

“Harry?” Hermione asked, setting down one of many bridal magazines she had been perusing over the two weeks that had passed since they had become re engaged.

“Hmm?” Harry said, setting down the file he had been looking over. He had been given a job at the Ministry, an Auror like position. Even though Voldemort was now dead, there were still dark wizards abound, and Harry was determined to catch them, so that no one would ever have to go through something like he and Hermione had.

“Well, you know how last time we got married, we had that tiny wedding, with only my parents, Sirius, and Ron and Lavender?” Harry nodded. “I was thinking this time, we could have a bigger wedding, not something huge, but definitely more elaborate.” Hermione looked at him tentatively.

Harry chuckled and set his file aside. “Anything you want, love, anything at all.” He said, moving over next to her and wrapping his arms around her. She sighed and melted against him, there was nothing more she loved than being in his arms. He kissed the side of her temple, and she turned to meet his lips with hers.

“You know, there is something we haven’t discussed yet.” Harry said. “Where do you want to go for a honeymoon?”

“We don’t really need to go anywhere.” Hermione said.

“Oh yes we do.” Harry said. “I want to be totally and completely alone with you, with no interruptions of any sort. He began to press his lips softly to the side of her neck, and she lolled her head back, enjoying it.

“What did you have in mind?” Hermione asked, her eyes closed.

“A tiny medieval village called Eze, in Monaco.” Harry said, still nudging her with his lips. “It’s built right into the mountains, I hear it’s amazing.”

“I’ve heard of that place.” Hermione said. “Always wanted to go there.”

“Don’t know how much sightseeing we’ll do.” Harry said. He pulled back and looked at her suggestively and she burst out laughing.

“You are hopeless, you know that right?” she said.

“Only around you.” Harry replied. “Have you found a new dress?”

“I was thinking I’d wear my old one, since Ron has a ton of our things stored at the Burrow.” Hermione said.

“No.” Harry said. “I want everything to be new, nothing old.”

Hermione looked like she was going to argue for a moment, then shrugged and smiled sweetly. “Okay, then I get to send you the bill right?”

Harry laughed loudly and pulled her over so she was snuggled down in his arms. He summoned his files over and began working again, Hermione flipped through her magazines once more. Lately, since Harry had taken up working at the Ministry and Hermione worked mornings still at Flourish and Blotts, the evenings were spent together on the couch, just enjoying each other’s presence.

Hermione turned a page of the magazine and came upon a picture of a young bride, with her new husband, and her parents standing in the background. She bit her lip hard as tears swam in her eyes at the happy sight.

“Mione?” Harry heard her sniff and looked over at her. “What’s wrong?”

Hermione shook her head, “I just wish my parents could see us get married again. I miss them a lot, it was hard to remember them being dead.”

Harry hugged her tightly to him and let her cry for a moment. “I know it’s hard, I do.” He said. Hermione’s parents had died just a few short months before Caitlyn had been born, in a horrific car crash. He particularly remembered it because it had nearly caused Hermione to miscarry, which would have been another tragic loss. “Mione, I know how it feels to lose your parents.”

“I know you do.” Hermione pulled away from his embrace and looked straight at him. “I’m tough though, you know that.” She smiled at him through her tears.

“Yes you are.” Harry said, leaning forward and kissing her lightly. “There’s no one I admire more than you, Hermione.” He brought her against him again, hugging her tightly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I don’t’ know what kind of dress I want.” Hermione said, flipping through a rack of them at Madam Malkin’s Bridal Shoppe. Grace and Lavender moved beside her, studying the rejected gowns.

“What exactly are you looking for, Hermione?” Lavender asked.

“Something completely different than before.” Hermione replied, tossing aside another dress.

“What was your dress like?” Grace asked.

“Totally simple.” Lavender answered. “Too plain.”

“It was not!” Hermione answered, glaring at Lavender.

“Yes it was!” Lavender insisted. Grace looked between the two and started laughing.

“What did it look like?” Grace asked.

“It was beautiful, off white…” Hermione started to answer when Lavender interrupted.

“It was nice, a very off white color, especially since she wasn’t a virgin when they got married…” Lavender gave a sideways glance at Hermione, who was beginning to fume. “No lace, frills, or anything.”

Grace was now staring at Hermione in horror. “Are you serious?”

Hermione stamped her foot. “Honestly, are you two going to help me pick out a dress or rag on me for my old one?” she tossed her hair and flounced to another rack of gowns.

“Ohhh Herm, we’re sorry.” Lavender said, coming up behind Hermione and hugging her. “I just want to help you make this wedding spectacular.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Then be nice. Or neither of you will be bridesmaids.”

“Have you decided which of us will be your maid of honor?” Grace asked, sidling up to Hermione and casting a conspiratorial wink at Lavender.

“Yes.” Hermione answered smugly.

“WHO?” they both crowed at once.

“Both of you.” She stated. “As if I could decide between you two.”

“Really?” Lavender asked.

“Really really.” Hermione answered. “Honestly, Grace, you’ve taken care of me for nine years, and Lav, you were my best friend before that. So you’re both like my maids of honor.” Hermione paused. “Do you think it’s right to make Caitlyn a junior bridesmaid?”

“Of course it is!” Lavender answered. Grace nodded as well.

“Really?” Hermione asked.

“Yup.” Lavender pushed aside a pile of dresses. “So that means, we need to find four nice dresses that fit Grace, Ginny and I, and one for Caitlyn.”

“And first and foremost, one for you!” Grace interrupted. “What exactly are you looking for?”

Hermione sighed. “Something nice, but not too fancy, perhaps with lace and beads….” She trailed off as her eyes spied something. “Something like this…”

“Ohhh!” Grace and Lavender both sighed as Hermione pulled the dress off the rack. “Go put that on right now!” Grace said, as Lavender spun Hermione around by the shoulders towards the dressing rooms.

Once inside, Hermione quickly stripped herself of her clothing and carefully pulled on the delicate dress. She looked at herself in the mirror.

“Gorgeous, my dear!” the mirror trilled and Hermione smiled widely.

“Thank you.” She said as she stepped out of the dressing room.

“That’s the dress.” Lavender said immediately. Grace nodded her agreement.

“You think so?” Hermione asked. “I like it a lot.”

“If you don’t get it, I’m going to beat some sense into you.” Grace replied.

Hermione laughed. “Well I guess that settles it then.”

Madam Malkin glided over. “Beautiful, my dear, just lovely.” She said. “I don’t’ think we even need to take it in anywhere, it’s like it was made for you.”

Hermione nodded. “I’ll take it.” she said.

Fifteen minutes later, Madam Malkin had the dressed wrapped securely in a box, and Lavender offered to take it home with her.

“You don’t want to take it back to your place, Harry shouldn’t see it till you’re walking down the aisle.” She said.

Hermione agreed, and they left the shop to have a bite to eat. Hopping over to The Leaky Cauldron, they took a table outside, determined to enjoy the sunny day.

Grace leaned back in her chair, letting the sun warm her face. She lifted her hand to push back her hair, and a ring on her left hand glinted in the sun.

Hermione laughed. “I still cannot believe you and Justin Finch Fletchley got married.”

“Oh my God, me either.” Lavender said. “I mean, talk about getting someone to settle down!”

“Hey!” Grace said in defense. “It was on a whim, and I happen to actually enjoy being married.”

“That I can’t believe either.” Hermione snorted and took a sip of her drink. “You, married. That’s something I never thought I’d see.”

Lavender laughed. “Justin, I remember him telling Ron just last month about how nice it was to be a bachelor….”

Grace scowled at both of them. “Hey! Justin happens to be a perfect husband!”

“Awww Grace, I’m sorry.” Hermione said, grinning at her. “It’s just my turn to give you a hard time about something.”

“Har de har har….” Grace said. “That’s so funny I forgot to laugh.” She smirked at Hermione. “Speaking of hard, I could say something about you and Harry right now…”

“Grace!!” Hermione shouted. Lavender stifled her giggles behind her hand as their food arrived, preventing any future retaliation by either party. Hermione grinned good-naturedly at Grace as they all dug into their lunches.

“You know,” Lavender said after a few moments. “I guess this squelches all those rumors that Justin is gay.”

Hermione dropped her fork and doubled over in laughter. “Lavender!”

Grace glared at them both. “I don’t find this funny, that you guys thought he was gay. He is NOT gay!” she got up and threw her napkin down. “I’m going to the bathroom.” She marched off in a huff.

Hermione looked after Grace’s retreating figure. “Wow I think she’s actually mad.” She looked over at Lavender. “I think we’d better lay off.”

“Okay.” Lavender agreed. She had only met Grace a few days before; she certainly didn’t want the woman to hate her. At that moment, her Wizarding Wireless phone rang. “Hello?” Hermione looked at her curiously. “Hi! We’re sitting at the Leaky Cauldron, come on over, we’re going to be picking out dresses so we need you here anyways. Okay, see you in a bit.” She hung it up and looked back at Hermione. “Ginny’s meeting us here in a few minutes.”

“Oh great.” Hermione said as Grace came back from the bathroom. “Grace are you all right?”

“I’m fine.” Grace said simply, picking her fork back up.

“We’re sorry.” Hermione said. Lavender nodded.

“We won’t make fun of Justin anymore.”

“Thanks,” Grace said and her lips twitched. “I guess it is sort of funny though.” All three of them were still laughing again as Ginny joined them a few minutes later.

“What did I miss?” she asked, slipping into a chair and setting her bag down.

“Oh nothing.” Lavender said quickly, not wanting to start everything back up again. “We were just finishing lunch, and we’ll go pick out the dresses we need.”

“Sounds good.” Ginny said. She looked over at Hermione. “Herm, when is the date again?”

“Next month.” Hermione answered. “Why?”

Ginny couldn’t help the smile that crossed her face. “Well…” she began. “I’ve been feeling really sick a lot so I went to the doctor, and it turns out I’m two months pregnant!”

“OH M GOD!” Lavender was the first to scream. “I’m going to be an aunt again!”

“Ginny, that’s fantastic.” Hermione said, genuinely happy for her.

“Congratulations.” Grace said.

“Well, I don’t want to be your fat bridesmaid.” Ginny said, smirking at Hermione. “So I’m glad you and Harry aren’t waiting too long to get remarried.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “I’m so sure you could look fat even when you’re pregnant Ginny.” She leaned forward and hugged her. “I’m really happy for you guys.”

“Thanks you guys.” Ginny said, smiling at each one of them in turn. “You should have seen Seamus when the doctor told us, I thought he was going to have a heart attack, he was so excited.”

“That’s so cute.” Lavender said. “You should see him around Blue, he loves kids.”

“I wonder if Harry and I will have any more?” Hermione mused.

“Well, it’s not for lack of trying, eh?” Grace finally spoke up. She gave Hermione a devilish look.

“Oh, just try to win a battle of wits with this one!” Hermione said.

A few moments later, their bill came and they paid, and then went down the street to another dress shop.

“What sort of color are you looking for?” Lavender asked. Hermione looked thoughtful for a moment.

“Well, nothing light colored, since you and Grace and both blond,” she mused. “And nothing too flashy…how about a nice blue color?”

“I like blue.” Grace said. Ginny nodded.

“Blue goes well with my hair color.” She said. Lavender and Grace both nodded.

“Well, I do have one request, then you guys can pick whatever you want.” Hermione said.

“What?” the other three women turned to look at her.

“That you guys pick out something nice, because my daughter,” Hermione said this part proudly, “Has to wear it as well.”

“Of course.” Lavender said. The rest of that afternoon was spent trying on and rejecting literally hundreds of gowns for the three of them, Hermione doing the most objecting to the strapless numbers they kept sneaking in. After that, they had to find shoes, which took another few hours. By that evening, and late evening at that, Hermione was so relieved to leave all three of them behind she could barely wave goodbye as she let herself into the flat.

“Hey!” Harry said brightly as she stepped, rather fell, into their living room. “Have you been shopping all day?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes, we have.” Hermione said tiredly as she flopped down next to him on the couch. He put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him, kissing her on the side of the head.

“Guess what?” Harry sounded strangely excited.

“Hmm?” Hermione asked. “What’s got you so worked up this evening?”

“I found our song!” he exclaimed.

Hermione smiled at him. “Did you?” He stood up, pulling her along with him. “What song?”

Harry flipped on the Muggle cd player and the low sounds of a Spanish guitar filled the room.

Hermione’s eyes widened as she recognized the song. “Oh, this is perfect!”

“Really?” Harry seemed happy and relieved she agreed. He gently pulled her into his arms.

“Yes, really.” Hermione answered. She rested her head on Harry’s chest for a moment and let him support her. “I’m so tired.”

“Why don’t you go to bed?” Harry said.

“I think I will.” She said and kissed him. “Will you do me a favor?”

“Sure.” Harry replied.

“Make me some tea and bring it in the bedroom?” she asked.

Harry chuckled. “Of course.” He said, and headed for the kitchen. Hermione went into the bedroom and tossed her shoes in the corner, then fell onto the bed. She was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

Harry carefully carried the steaming mug down the hallway to their bedroom. “Hermione I have your tea.” He stopped as he saw her sleeping form on the bed. Smiling, he set the mug down and cast a charm to keep it warm in case she woke up and wanted it. Harry then gently pulled a blanket up and over her body so she wouldn’t get cold, then kneeled down next to the bed and smoothed her hair back.

“It’s times like this I think I’m the luckiest man in the world.” Harry spoke in a low tone as to not wake her. “There’s no way I’m ever letting anything happen to you again, I love you too much to lose you.” He bent over and kissed her forehead, letting his lips linger on her soft skin for a few moments. “You and Caty are my life, always will be.” He stood back up and went back to the living room to finish his work, and then he’d go to bed himself.

Later that night, Hermione woke up, and tried to stretch, but something was holding her back. Turning her head, she smiled to see Harry lying asleep behind her, and he had spooned her body with his. His arm was hooked across her middle, preventing her from getting up. She looked back on the nightstand and saw the mug of tea he had made for her, and her insides melted when she saw he had cast the warming charm on it. Taking a long sip, she put it back on the nightstand and snuggled back into Harry’s embrace. She pulled the blanket tighter around them and tucked her hand in his.

“I’m so glad you found me Harry…” Hermione spoke softly. She listened to the steady sound of his breathing, and loved him so much in that moment she could hardly bear it. “I’m so happy to be part of something again, having you and Caitlyn is more than I hoped for in these past ten years…” her voice drifted off as she became sleepy again. “I love you…”

The next month and a half passed very quickly for Harry and Hermione. During this time, Harry arranged for their honeymoon in Eze while Hermione took care of many of the preparations. Oliver was nice enough to hold the reception in his club, he even promised to enlarge the space to fit as many people as necessary, and he’d provide the decorations. His DJ also would play the music for them, a good mix of Muggle and Wizard. Harry also took it upon himself to arrange for Caitlyn, Blue, and the rest of the Weasleys at Hogwarts to come home the weekend of the wedding. Hermione met with Grace, Lavender and Ginny often to make any last minute arrangements about the clothing for the wedding. Finally, however, it was the eve before the ceremony.

Harry dropped his workload on the table in the hallway. “Mione?” he called. “Are you home?”

“In the bedroom!” she replied.

“My favorite place to see you in.” Harry quipped, coming into the room and wrapping his arms around her waist. He looked around and saw her packing a bag. “Where are you going?”

“To Ron and Lavender’s.” Hermione replied. “You’re not allowed to see me after midnight, remember?”

“Oh, to hell with tradition.” Harry replied.

Hermione stood up straight and looked him in the eye. “Harry, superstition or not, we don’t need any more bad luck, do we?”

Harry groaned. “I suppose you’re right. But I’m going to be very lonely.”

Hermione smiled at him. “But think, love, tomorrow night, you’ll never be lonely after that.” She raised herself up and kissed him hard on the lips. “That’ll have to last you till you see me walking down the aisle.”

“All right, all right, you’d better go before I tie you up on the bed.” Harry said, grinning.

“Keep that in mind for tomorrow.” Hermione said suggestively, then blew him a kiss and apparated out.

Harry sat down on the bed and looked around the room. He simply could not wait till tomorrow.

(Ahhh, that’s a good place to leave it at huh? LOL well stay tuned for the next chapter, I hear wedding bells!

You will all find out the wedding song in the next chapter, of course, and if anyone is curious, Eze is a real place in southern France, it’s just gorgeous.

While you’re waiting, check out the fics of Ryoko Blue, Lydia Silver Maiden, God of Fire, and ME! :)

Happy reading, and don’t forget to review, not flame! Thanks!)

14. Wedding Bells

Chapter 14

(A/N: Wow, well it’s finally here, the wedding!!! YAY!!

One more chapter after this one *sniff* and then RTM is over, but then I’m going to do a sequel, centered more on Caty and Blue, but there will be some definite H/H moments in there. Can’t have a fic without them! :)

Thanks again for all the reviews, you guys put me over the 300 mark! WOW!! I can’t tell you how delighted that makes me!!

Spangle star: sorry, no Enrique here…but I love him too. God that man is dead sexy!

Thefly: yup. Fluff. That’s what life is made of ;)

Hermioneharry4ever: no one will disrupt this wedding, not even the press! LOL

Janna rain Iscariot: LOL what cliffhanger? Heehee the wedding is going to be LONG so I had to make it it’s own chapter

Oh, and the song you will need to DL for this chapter is I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You, by Mark Anthony and Tina Arena, from the Mask of Zorro soundtrack. Enjoy!!!)

Hermione was a bundle of nerves. “Lavender!” she shrieked, tearing open some of the boxes lying at the foot of the bed. “Where are my shoes?”

Lavender poked her head in the room. “Hermione, settle down. They’re in the closet remember?”

“Oh, right.” Hermione said, visibly calming.

“Why are you so nervous Hermione?” Lavender asked. “I mean, it’s not like this is your first wedding.”

“I know.” Hermione sighed; pulling the box from the closet that contained her shoes and sitting down on the bed. “But this wedding is much larger, and more complicated than before.”

“You’ll be fine.” Lavender said confidently. “In the meantime, I know someone who wants to have you help her get ready.”

“Who?” Hermione asked.

“Your daughter, silly.” Lavender replied.

“Really?” Hermione was pleased. “She asked for me?”

“Yes, want me to have her come in here?”

“Yes!” Hermione replied, standing up and going to the mirror, trying to figure out how she was going to wear her hair that day. A moment later, a soft knock was heard from the doorway.

“Hello.” Caitlyn said a bit shyly. “Can I come in?”

“Of course.” Hermione smiled at her. Ron had picked up all the kids from the station the night before (they had arrived from the school) and now the house was packed to the brim with Weasleys.

Caitlyn stepped into the room, her arms full with her dress, hairpieces, shoes, and jewelry. She carefully laid everything out next to Hermione’s new dress.

“Wow, I love your wedding gown!” she exclaimed, touching the delicate fabric with her finger. “Did you pick this out?”

“Yes, I did.” Hermione replied, sitting down on the bed again. “Although it was at Lavender and Grace’s insistence that I bought it. I wanted something different than last time.”

“You had a small wedding before, right?” Caitlyn asked.

“Yes, very small, it was only me, your father, Ron and Lavender, Sirius, and my parents.” Hermione replied.

“Wow, that is small!” Caitlyn said, and smiled at her mother. “Can you help me get ready for today?”

“Certainly, I’d love to.” Hermione said gladly. Caitlyn slid the pretty blue dress over her head and Hermione moved behind her to zip it up.

“What a beautiful color on you.” Hermione commented, looking at her with pride.

Caitlyn smiled widely back at her. “It’s my favorite color.”

“I’m glad.” Hermione said. She reached out and smoothed back Caitlyn’s long brown locks, hair so much like how hers used to be. “I think Grace and Lavender are wearing their hair down, is that how you want yours?”

“Sure.” Caitlyn said, as Hermione picked up a brush and began to work it through.

“My hair used to be like this, you know.” Hermione commented. “I can cast a charm to straighten it for today, if you like.” Caitlyn nodded and Hermione did just that, and now her hair hung halfway down her back smoothly.

“Looks like you are ready.” Hermione smiled down at her daughter with a tear in her eye as she retrieved one of the hairpieces (they were glittery like barrettes) and pinned it securely. “You look beautiful, Caitlyn.”

Caitlyn stepped over and looked at herself in the mirror. Her mother was right, she did look really nice, and she was excited to go off and show Blue, and her father when he arrived. She turned from side to side, and the dress swirled softly around her. She turned back to Hermione who was watching her with a smile.

“Thanks Mum.” She said, and hugged Hermione tightly. Hermione’s eyes teared up again and she hugged her daughter back, just as tightly.

“Now go show everyone how you look!” Hermione said, turning her around. Caitlyn hopped towards the door and turned back around to look at her.

“I’m really glad you and Dad are getting married again.” She smiled at her mother. “Summers will be fun now that you’re here!” she grinned again and skipped away. She carefully moved down the hallway to Blue’s room where she heard a loud holler.

“Mum I don’t WANT to wear a tie!” Caitlyn peeked around the door and saw Lavender trying to wrestle Blue into a necktie.

“Now, all the men today are going to be wearing them!” Lavender said, finally getting it tied correctly. “You keep that on or I’ll put a spell on it!” she told her son firmly, and turned and spied Caitlyn at the door.

“Caty! Come in here so we can see you!” Lavender called, and Caitlyn stepped into the room. Lavender sighed and Blue stared at her.

“You look like a girl!” Blue said.

Caitlyn rolled her eyes. “That’s what I am, you half wit!” Lavender snickered and stood up, pulling Blue along with her.

“How is your mother doing, Caitlyn?” Lavender asked.

“She’s good.” Caitlyn replied. “I think she’s really nervous, though.”

“I’ll bet.” Lavender smiled. “Well I’m going to go get ready myself.” She cast a warning glance at Blue. “If I see that tie off your neck it’s going to be even tighter next time.” Blue stuck his tongue out at her as she left the room. He looked back at Caitlyn and shook his head. “You really do look like a girl.”

“Shut up Blue.” Caitlyn said, and turned to leave. “Don’t forget to leave that tie on!” she laughed as Blue threw something at her and she darted out the door, directly into her father.

“Dad!” she squealed and propelled herself at him, he laughed and staggered back playfully.

“Caty Cat, let me look at you!” Harry exclaimed. “Is this really my daughter or just some look-alike you conjured up at Hogwarts?”

“Dad, honestly!” Caitlyn said. Harry just laughed again and pulled her into his arms.

“You look gorgeous, Caty, just gorgeous.” Harry said, holding her tight to him. “Where’s your mother?”

“She’s in the guest room, getting ready.” Caitlyn replied. “But you can’t see her.”

“Why not?” Harry asked.

“Bad luck!” Caitlyn replied, blocking the hallway.

“How do you know about that?” Harry smirked at his daughter.

“Dad, I’m eleven, not three.” Caitlyn rolled her eyes. “If you see Mum before she is walking down the aisle, you’ll have bad luck, and I don’t want to see ANY of that!”

“Caty, it’s a superstition.” Harry said firmly, trying to move past her.

“Uncle Ron!!” Caitlyn bellowed. Ron appeared in the hallway a moment later, buttoning up his white dress shirt.

“Caty? What’s wrong?” he asked. “Harry!” he smiled.

Caitlyn turned to face Ron. “Tell my father he can’t see my mum before the wedding!”

Ron looked up at Harry. “No way mate, you can’t go in there! You can’t see Hermione…” he was interrupted.

“Before the wedding.” Harry was the one to roll his eyes now. “Fine, fine.” He glared teasingly at his daughter. “Tattletale.” He said. Caitlyn smiled innocently at him and went back into Blue’s room. “How is she doing?” Harry asked.

“Hermione? She’s fine, nervous, but fine.” Ron pulled on Harry’s sleeve. “Come on, you’ve got to get dressed, the wedding starts soon!”

A half hour later, Grace and Justin had arrived, Lavender immediately pulling Grace into Hermione’s room to help her get ready.

“You need to calm down!” Grace was saying to Hermione. “You’re going to ruin your hair if you keep pulling on it!”

“I’m sorry!” Hermione wailed. Lavender pushed her down into a chair.

“Sit here, and don’t move.” Lavender commanded. She pulled out her wand, and a few moments later, Hermione’s normally straight hair was a mass of curls. Grace came over with the veil, which hung halfway down and had a circle of pearls that went around her forehead, and Lavender fitted it on neatly.

“Perfect!” Grace said. She then carefully pulled the dress out of the closet. “I cannot wait to see Harry’s face when you come walking down in this!” she said gleefully.

Hermione stepped into the dress and Lavender laced it tightly, tying it securely so it wouldn’t come undone. Grace sat her down and applied light makeup, she didn’t have to use much because Hermione was already glowing with excitement.

“You are ready!” Lavender announced, as Hermione stepped into her shoes.

“You really look amazing.” Grace said. Hermione grinned at the two of them.

“Where’s Ginny?” she asked, looking around. “I thought she’d be here.”

“She’s meeting us at the Burrow, her mother asked her to help get things ready.” Lavender replied. Hermione nodded.

“Shall we head over?” she asked, the butterflies in her stomach starting up again.

“Let me go make sure Ron keeps Harry here until its time.” Lavender said, and ducked out of the room. She quickly crossed the hallway and knocked on the door to the room where Harry and Ron were getting ready.

“Ron?” she pushed open the door after she heard them grunt for her to come in. “We’re about ready to go to the Burrow.” She looked at him with her eyebrow raised so he’d know what she was referring to.

“Right.” Ron said, looking appreciatively at his wife. She looked gorgeous in the deep blue gowns they had picked out.

“How does she look?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Unbelievable!” Lavender grinned teasingly at Harry. “I can’t wait to see your face when she comes walking down that aisle.”

Harry must have made a move like he was going to burst into the room because Ron grabbed him by the sleeve.

“We’ll see you there.” Ron said, quickly kissing her and she turned and left. “Someone’s a bit eager, huh?” he asked, pulling on his jacket and turning back to Harry.

“You’d better believe it.” Harry said, sticking his arms through his own jacket and settling it over his shoulders. “I can’t wait to start our lives over again.”

“Yeah, things are going to be good from here on out.” Ron said, buttoning his jacket. “I’m ready!” he said.

“Me too.” Harry replied. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. “Is it safe to apparate to the Burrow?” he smirked at Ron.

“I’m sure it is.” Ron said back, opening the door. “All quiet, they must have taken the kids with them.” He said.

“Well let’s go!” Harry said, and they both apparated away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Wow, Mrs. Weasley, everything looks amazing!” Hermione said appreciatively at the amount of decorations that adorned the backyard. “Thank you so much, for everything!”

Mrs. Weasley hugged her. “It’s my pleasure dear, you and Harry are finally getting the wedding you deserve.”

“No crying!” Ginny said, wagging her finger at Hermione, whose eyes had begun to fill with happy tears.

“Nana what happened to the swing set?” Blue asked in horror, as it was indeed gone.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be back in place tomorrow.” Mrs. Weasley said, looking at her grandson fondly. “Papa had to move it for today.”

“Okay.” Blue said, reaching his hand up to tug on his necktie, but put it back down after a warning glance from his mother.

Ginny looked at the Weasley clock, which had grown considerably larger for each family member added. “Oh!” she gasped. Ron’s hand was traveling from home to The Burrow. “Hermione, we need to get you into the other room Harry will be here any second!”

All four women hurried out of the room as Ron and Harry apparated in.

“Aw, Harry, you just missed her.” Justin grinned, and Seamus gave him a slap on the back of the head. Ron groaned.

“Don’t get him started again, please?” Ron begged. He pulled on Harry’s collar as he tried to go to the door. “I’ve never seen anyone so determined in my life…Harry you’re going to see her in twenty minutes!”

Mrs. Weasley was looking at all of them. “Oh dear, don’t you boys all look handsome?” her eyes were beginning to fill with tears as she hugged her son tightly, then turned to Harry and did the same thing. She turned and rushed out of the room, bawling.

“Mum…” Ron shook his head in the direction his mother had taken off to. “I swear, you should have seen her at Ginny and Seamus’s wedding…” he trailed off as Seamus guffawed.

“She didn’t stop crying the whole ceremony!” Seamus said, and all the men started laughing.

“Speaking of ceremonies,” Ron said. “Yours is about to begin, Harry.”

The four men hurried outside, where they stared agape at the spectacle that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had created.

Tons of chairs were set in neat rows, a long aisle was left clear down between two of the rows. A long length of pale silk trailed down the aisle, and it led up to an altar, which was surrounded by a white lattice arch covered with red and white roses. People were already gathered in some of the chairs, and a few of them recognized Harry and pointed excitedly.

“Wow.” Harry was first to speak. “This is absolutely amazing!” He turned to Ron.

“I don’t know how Hermione and I can ever repay your parents for this.”

Ron smiled. “Well you know that they consider you family, Harry. Don’t worry about it.”

Harry smiled and looked at his watch. “Wow, it’s already almost time…. you guys should get in there with the women.” He turned and looked up at the front where the minister had just arrived. “See you guys in a few minutes!” the butterflies had come back as Harry made his way up the aisle.

“Mr. Potter, congratulations!” the minister said, shaking Harry’s hand. “I’m truly honored to be here at your wedding.”

“Thank you.” Harry replied. He turned and watched as the rest of the seats filled up, and his stomach gave a big lurch as he realized what a crowd there was.

Inside, Hermione was even more a bundle of nerves as she realized that in just a moment, she’d be walking out in front of that crowd. The fact that Harry was waiting for her at the end of the aisle was somewhat calming, but not completely.

“Breathe.” Grace instructed, adjusting the top of her dress. “Everything is going to be fine, once you get up there it’ll be just you and Harry.”

Hermione closed her eyes and nodded, doing as Grace said.

“Are you okay Mum?” Caitlyn asked, walking into the room, her tiny bouquet clutched in her hands.

“I’m fine, just fine…” Hermione said, smiling at her daughter. “Are you and Blue ready, it’s time to start!”

Caitlyn squealed. “I’m ready!!” she said. She was so excited about this day; it was all she had been able to think about for weeks now. An unsuspecting Blue entered the room and Caitlyn latched onto him. “Let’s go!!!” she said, pulling on him.

“Ow!” Blue cried. “Okay, I’m going!” As the juniors of the wedding party, they’d start the procession in place of the flower girl and ring bearer. Blue carried the two rings in his hand; he’d give them to Harry at the end of the aisle.

“Everyone ready?” Ron called out. A chorus of yeses answered him, and he took his place behind Caitlyn and Blue as the best man, Lavender next to him, and Grace and Justin behind him, with Hermione of course taking up the end of the procession.

“You’ll be fine!” Lavender assured Hermione as Ron opened the door.

Harry listened to the music playing and locked his eyes on the door that Ron had just opened. He smiled as Caitlyn and Blue stepped out, stepping perfectly to the tune as they had been instructed. Harry looked at his daughter proudly as she reached the front, and she grinned back at him. His attention was next diverted to Ron and Lavender, then Grace and Justin.

Everyone’s eyes turned again to the door as Hermione stepped out, and Harry felt everything around him cease to exist except for her. The gown she wore was stunning, with lace edges and exquisite beading, the fabric was of silk and satin. Her hair was pulled back at the sides and it cascaded down her back in long curls. The veil was a half one, and the circle of pearls rested gently on her forehead. His eyes met hers and they held each other’s gaze as Hermione glided to the front. It was just as Grace had said, everyone else seemed to disappear and their whole world was right there.

“You look absolutely amazing.” Harry was able to whisper as she reached the spot next to him.

Hermione smiled nervously at him. “Thank you.” She said back, softly. Harry looked so handsome in his suit, she always loved him dressed the way he was. “You do too.”

Harry took her hand and squeezed it as they faced the minister. The whole ceremony passed in a daze for both of them, as they were focused too much on each other to pay attention to anything else. The only part Harry was able to recall was when they took their vows.

“I do.” Harry said, looking deeply into Hermione’s eyes as he repeated what the minister said.

Hermione smiled. “I do.” She also said.

“You may now kiss your bride.” The minister smiled as Harry pulled Hermione to him and kissed her passionately but gently. He was about to pull away when Hermione held on and he was forced to kiss her again, not that he minded. A few people in the audience chuckled but neither one of them cared. They finally broke apart, and everyone clapped.

“May I present Mr. and Mrs. Harry Potter!” the minister announced.

Hermione felt a wide smile break across her face as Harry grabbed her hand and they went back down the aisle, people clapping and smiling as they swept past. Hurrying back through the house, Ron had a Ministry car waiting out in the front so that when they got to Oliver’s club, they could make their grand entrance.

“I’m SO glad that’s over!” Hermione sighed as they settled into the seats. Harry grinned.

“What, you don’t like marrying me?” he pretended to pout. He winked at the driver and put up the partition so that he and Hermione could have privacy.

“Of course I do!” Hermione said. “I just hate being in front of large crowds.” She put her hand on Harry’s arm. “And I was looking forward to this, being alone with you afterward.

Harry grinned, and without another word leaned in and kissed her. Hermione placed her hands on the back of his neck and his arms wrapped around her waist. He tried to deepen the kiss by gently stroking his tongue across her lower lip and she willingly opened her mouth under his to allow him in. Harry felt like he would never get tired of kissing her. Hermione moaned as he increased the pressure of his mouth on hers, pushing harder, his tongue sweeping her mouth with such passion neither one was sure if they could wait till that evening for more.

“Harry…” Hermione finally broke away only to have Harry start kissing her throat, and her neck. “Harry we’re almost to the club, we need to save the necking for tonight.”

Harry groaned and pulled away. “All right.” He said, smiling at her swollen lips. She reached over and pushed aside his hair. “So I heard you were quite eager to see me today.”

“Who told you?” Harry was amused.

“Ron, Lavender, Caitlyn….” Hermione laughed. “Was I worth the wait?” she teased.

“Mione, you are worth everything to me.“ Harry raised her hand up and kissed it. “The last few hours were tough, but when I saw how gorgeous you looked….” He looked into her eyes. “I’ve never felt so happy in my life.”

They were kissing again when the car pulled up in front of Oliver’s club.

“Are you ready?” he asked, taking up her hand once more. “It’s going to be quite a mob scene.”

“Well at least this time I’ve got you with me.” Hermione said, smiling at her husband. He grinned back and kissed her once more, then pushed open the doors.

“Mr. and Mrs. Harry Potter!” Ron’s voice boomed, announcing their arrival. Everyone clapped and cheered as Harry and Hermione planted large smiles on their faces. They entered what was to be a ‘receiving line’ so that they could greet everyone that came to celebrate their day with them.

George Weasley clapped Harry on the shoulder. “Congratulations!” he boomed.

“Thanks George.” Harry said. George moved on to Hermione and Harry noticed George’s date.

“Ambir!” he recognized her as the potions mistress who had quickened the process of brewing. She was wearing an elegant black velvet dress, with spaghetti straps. It was perfect for her, showed off just what she wanted it to.

“Hello!” Ambir smiled at him. “This is quite a nice party you’ve got here.” She said.

“Thanks,” Harry said, kissing her on the cheek. “I didn’t know you knew George.”

“Oh…” Ambir blushed as she looked at George. “Well, we’ve been seeing each other for awhile. Ron introduced us.”

“I see.” Harry grinned, as she stepped down and Hermione embraced her.

“I’m so glad you came!” she said. “I can never thank you enough for helping Harry and I.”

“Oh, it was my pleasure.” Ambir said, smiling at the two of them as George pulled her close against him. “I’m happy I was able to help you two out!”

“Actually, I’m her pleasure.” George said and everyone laughed. “Come on, I want to dance!” she waved as George pulled her away.

Harry and Hermione greeted people for another hour, and finally the mention of food and drinks drove people to sit at the tables.

Oliver stood up as everyone found his or her seat. “I’d like to make a toast!” he said loudly. “To Harry and Hermione, may you two be together now, always!”

“Hear hear!” was heard repeatedly around the room as everyone raised their glasses and drank.

Everyone enjoyed the good food and the alcohol was flowing freely. Hermione finally got a chance to look around the club; it had been so hectic since they had gotten in there. Oliver had done an amazing job. The room was decorated in an off white color, and it was magically enlarged to fit as many people as necessary, while still being comfortable. Crystal chandeliers adorned the ceiling, and if Hermione didn’t know better, she wouldn’t have even recognized the place as Oliver’s swanky club.

The music started again, and people started filling the dance floor, the DJ playing a good mix of fast and slow songs.

“I’m going to dance with Caty.” Harry said to Hermione, who was in conversation with Grace and Lavender.

“Okay.” She smiled and kissed him, and he went off in search of his daughter. He found her in a corner with Blue and a few other kids her age.

“Caty Cat.” Harry said. “Want to dance with your old dad?”

“Sure!” she jumped up. “I’ll be right back!” she told the others.

Harry led her to the dance floor, and they began to dance to a nice sweet father/daughter type of song.

“Dad?” Caitlyn asked.

“What?” Harry said.

“I’m really happy that you and Mum are married again.” Caitlyn said. “I’ve always wanted to know more about her, and now here she is.”

“I’m sorry Caty Cat, that I never talked about her.” Harry said.

“It’s okay.” She replied. “I just am really happy that she’s here.”

“Me too.” Harry hugged his daughter tightly as the song ended. “Now go have fun with your friends, okay?”

“Okay.” She grinned and scampered back off in the direction of the kids.

Harry saw Oliver motioning to him. “What’s up Oliver?” he asked.

“The DJ’s about to play your song, I thought you’d like to know.” Oliver said, winking.

“Thanks!” Harry grinned and hurried back to the main table. “Mione, it’s time for our dance.” He said, and Hermione smiled as Harry took her hand and led her onto the floor.

Harry pulled her close to him and clasped one of her hands in his, the other arm went around her waist and she put her other hand on his shoulder.

Moon so bright, night so fine
Keep your heart here with mine
Life’s a dream we are dreaming
Race the moon, catch the wind
Ride the night to the end
Seize the day, stand up for the light
I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do
Heroes rise, heroes fall
Rise again, win it all
In your heart, can't you feel the glory
Through our joy, through our pain
We can move worlds again
Take my hand, dance with me

Ron watched his two best friends dance around the room. He was genuinely happy for the two of them, being able to find each other again after so long apart. He saw the loving way Harry held Hermione; he could tell that to them, they were the only people in the room right now.

“What are you thinking about?” Lavender asked, sliding up to him and taking his hand in hers.

“Just about how happy I am that Harry and Hermione are together again.” Ron said, looking down at his wife. “They’re so lucky.”

“Yes they are.” Lavender sighed.

“I’m lucky too.” Ron said. “I’ve had you every day since we got married, I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to you.”

Lavender smiled up at him and he kissed her sweetly, hugging her.

I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do
I will want nothing else to see me through
If I can spend my lifetime loving you
Though we know we will never come again
Where there is love, life begins
Over and over again
Save the night, save the day
Save the love, come what may
Love is worth everything we pay
I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do
I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do
I will want nothing else to see me through
If I can spend my lifetime loving you

Caitlyn watched her parents converse as the song came to an end and everyone clapped. She wasn’t sure if it was the silly eleven year old in her or not, but she was finding that she liked all the romance that was going on. A cough at her elbow made her turn around.

“Wanna dance?” Blue said gruffly, grinning at her.

“Okay.” She agreed as a new song came on, and the two children laughed as Blue swung Caitlyn around on the floor.

Hermione nudged Harry as they went over where Ron and Lavender were standing. “Would you guys look at that?” she smiled, seeing the two kids.

“Oh my.” Lavender said. “How cute is that?” Ron grinned at Harry.

“Do we need to plan another wedding soon, hmm?” he asked.

“Oh, don’t make me think about that.” Harry said. The last thing he wanted on his mind was Caitlyn’s wedding!

“Oh, don’t make him fret, Ron.” Hermione said, clasping Harry’s hand in hers. “Caitlyn is her daddy’s girl.”

“Any guy who even wants to try and date her…” Harry joked. “He’ll have to pass my test first.”

“Oh come on Harry, enough of that!” Hermione said, kissing him. “It’s time for pictures anyway.”

Lavender went to get the kids and Hermione called Grace and Justin over. They all went into a separate room, where various photos were taken of the wedding party, many ones of Harry and Hermione, and they insisted on having a photo of the three of them; Harry, Hermione, and Caitlyn.

That took about an hour, and Harry and Hermione were left in the room as everyone else went out.

“Another moment with you.” Harry grinned, grabbing her around the waist and pulling her close. “Have I told you how stunning you look today?”

“Yes, you have.” Hermione giggled a little. “But I love hearing you say it again.”

“I’d rather show you…” Harry lowered his mouth to hers and kissed her, deepening it immediately with his tongue. She responded, not caring if she looked mussed when they went back into the room.

“Harry…” she pulled her mouth away. “Much as I love kissing you, and I do, we can’t stay in here forever.”

“Why?” Harry asked, not letting go of her waist.

“Because then we’d miss our honeymoon?” Hermione joked.

They went back in the main room, where Hermione had a dance with Ron and then Oliver; Harry danced with Lavender and Grace.

“Time to cut the cake!” Ron announced loudly, and everyone returned to their tables, except for Harry and Hermione, who stood in the center of the room where a large cake had just appeared.

It was five tiered, Hermione had requested chocolate, of course, so the double fudge had been baked into it, and it had the typical white icing of a wedding cake.

“No smashing.” Hermione said, when Harry cut off a large slice and held it out to her.

He held it out teasingly like he was going to do just that, but then fed it to her nicely, not letting any fall on her dress.

On Hermione’s turn, however, she stuffed it into Harry’s mouth; he could barely swallow it he was laughing so hard.

“Oh, you’re going to pay for that later,” Harry said, his eyes twinkling. Hermione grinned and kissed him, getting a bit of the icing on her face as well.

“Oh, I can’t wait.” She whispered in his ear. They went back to the table to enjoy their cake with everyone else. Grace had different ideas, however. She raised her spoon and began to tap her glass, Justin caught on and did the same, and soon the entire room was doing that. Harry and Hermione grinned at each other, and leaned in to kiss.

Harry could still taste their cake on Hermione’s lips as he kissed her. She had a bit of icing stuck to her lower lip, and he ran his tongue gently across it and she opened her mouth to his. He pressed a little harder against her, and she put her hand on the back of his neck to keep him there when he tried to pull back.

“Mione!” he said around her lips. Hermione finally pulled back and everyone in the room laughed at how long they kissed.

“Honestly you two!” Ginny snickered. The music started up again as people ate cake and danced. Harry and Hermione caught glimpses of Caitlyn dancing with Blue again as well as a few other boys her age.

“Oh, what a night.” Hermione said later, as the crowd was finally dissipating. “My feet are absolutely killing me.”

“Awww.” Harry said. “Are you hinting that you want a foot massage later?” he grinned, sitting down next to her.

“Maybe.” Hermione smiled back. “When are we leaving for Eze?”

“Whenever you are ready.” Harry said. “We’ll just have to let Ron know when we’re leaving and we have to say goodbye to Caty.”

“I’m ready.” Hermione said, getting up. Harry stood up as well and pulled her into his arms.

“Okay.” His voice was muffled. She pressed her face to his shoulder, and they swayed for a moment together to soundless music.

“Hermione, I really can’t wait till we’re alone tonight.” Harry said quietly.

“Me either.” Hermione said, raising herself up and brushing his lips softly. They hurried across the room to where Ron was standing.

“Ron, we’re going to take off.” Harry said. Ron grinned at them.

“You two behave yourselves.” He teased.

“Yeah right.” Harry scoffed. “Where’s Caty?”

“Over there.” Lavender said, coming up to them. She pointed in a corner where Caitlyn and Blue were eating the last pieces of cake with their friends.

“Caty Cat.” Harry said, coming up to her. “Your mum and I are leaving.”

Caitlyn jumped out of her seat and hugged first her father, then her mother. “Have fun, and don’t forget to buy me something!” she grinned mischievously.

Harry and Hermione laughed and he turned back to Ron. “You don’t mind keeping her and then getting her back to Hogwarts?”

“Of course not.” Ron said. “You two have a good time, and owl us if you need anything…. well, I doubt you will…” he and Lavender waved as they watched the bride and groom apparate away.

A few moments later, Harry and Hermione appeared in their room in Eze. Their bags had already been sent in earlier that day. Most people didn’t know that Eze was not only a medieval village but a wizarding one as well, so apparating into hotels there wasn’t an uncommon occurrence.

“Finally.” Harry said, the dim lighting of the room making his eyes glow with desire. He moved forward and caught Hermione up in his arms, gently placing her on the bed. “I love you, Hermione.”

“I love you too Harry.” She was able to say before his mouth was on hers.

They did not leave the room until two days later.

(A/N: Wow don’t you just love weddings? *sigh* anyways, one more chapter after this, then RTM will be over :(

To see a pic of H/H on this happy day, go to www.geocities.com/heavenluvz/hhwedding.jpg

If it doesn’t let you on right away check back later ;)

If anyone likes fics about 98 º (band) please check out a fic by princesa called Meeting 98 º. Very cute!

Also, please make sure and check out Mas Tequila by God of Fire, esp the second chapter ;) hehehehee

HarryNZ has a fab group where he updates all his fics, you can reach that at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/harrynzfanfics/

And check out the stories of one Ryoko Blue, they are utterly fantastic! Esp her series that starts with Soul Scepter and is now continuing on with Amulet of Torna.

Happy reading, and see you next chapter! Don’t forget to R/R NOT flame! :D )

15. Enter the Potters

Chapter 15

A/N: Well here it is *sob* the last chapter of RTM….

Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed each chapter, you stuck with it through the long haul and it’s truly appreciated!

Well stay tuned for the sequel coming up in a few weeks, it’s only 4 chapters long, and like I said before, mainly focuses on Caty and Blue, but there will be lots of H/H moments in there as well ;)

Anywho, here’s the chapter, hope you guys all enjoy!!

Hermione turned on her side, and felt it again. That stirring that came from deep inside her. She tried to ignore it, but it was insistent. The urge simply would not go away until it was satisfied, and there was only one way to do it.

“Harry…” she moaned. “Harry I need…” she bolted off the bed and ran to the bathroom, just making it to the toilet. She held her stomach as she retched, then sat down and put her face to the cool tile on the floor.

“Mione what’s wrong?” Harry asked from the doorway. He spied her lying on the floor and rushed in.

She shook her head weakly. “This is the third night this week I’ve woken up ill, and that doesn’t count the times during the day, and at work that I’ve had to run to the bathroom.”

Harry stroked her hair and gently pulled her up from the floor. “Here.” He said, getting her some water. She carefully sipped it slowly.

“Thanks.” She mumbled, leaning on him. She was feeling horribly dizzy as well as nauseous again. “Harry…I have to…” she flew back and started vomiting again.

“Hermione…” Harry said as she was finally able to stand back up. “I want you to go to the doctor tomorrow…this can’t be good that you’re getting sick all the time.”

“I’m sure I’ll be fine in a few days.” Hermione said, putting both hands on the counter to hold herself up. “It’s just a touch of the flu I’m sure, and I’ve just been so tired since the wedding…”

“Hermione that was two and a half weeks ago already…” Harry argued, leaning up against the doorframe. “You have had plenty of time to recover from all the planning and excitement.” He crossed to where she was standing and gripped her gently but firmly on the shoulders. “I don’t want anything to happen to you, if there’s something wrong, we’ll get it treated right away…”

“All right.” Hermione relented, letting him support her on the way back to the bedroom. “I’ll get a hold of Grace tomorrow and go in.” Grace had recently been appointed a medi-wizard position, something she had been working at for a number of years.

“Good.” Harry said, helping her settle back into the bed. Hermione fell asleep quickly, finally able to sleep through the rest of the night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I’ve just felt so horrid lately, and after last night, Harry made me promise to visit the doctor.” Hermione said to Grace as she fussed around with a few different potions and charms.

“Uh huh…” Grace mumbled. “So you say for about the past week you’ve been feeling sick almost all the time, you’re tired…” she looked up from a piece of parchment. “How often do you find yourself having to use the bathroom?”

Hermione bit her lip, thinking hard for a moment. “Lately, a lot…. especially in the morning.”

“Um hmm….” Grace said. She looked up again and a half smile quirked at her lips. “Have you skipped a period at all?”

Hermione’s head shot up and she stared at Grace. “Great Wizards…” her face paled. “Yes I have…”

Grace set aside the parchment and picked up her wand. “There’s one test I can do, to determine whether or not you are…” Hermione nodded nervously, gripping her skirt tightly between her fingers.

“Okay, if it glows red, it means yes, and purple means no.” Grace said, pointing it at Hermione. She murmured the spell under her breath, and both women watched in stunned silence as the tip of the wand emitted a bright red glow.

“Oh my goodness…” Hermione uttered as a long snakelike strand shot out of the wand. Grace picked it up and measured it.

“You’re two and a half months along!” Grace grinned and swooped down on Hermione, hugging her tightly. “I can’t believe it, you’re pregnant!”

At first, Hermione was too dumbfounded to do anything. “I’m pregnant.” She repeated hoarsely.

“Yes you are!” Grace was almost shrieking. She took a step back and regarded her friend. “Are you okay…. I’m sorry, here I am screaming like an idiot and you’re in shock…”

“I’m pregnant.” Hermione repeated again, this time not as stunned. The realization finally hit her. She was pregnant! A large smile crossed her face.

“Oh Great Wizards!” she finally reacted physically by grabbing Grace in a large bear hug. “I’m going to have a baby!”

“How is Harry going to take this?” Grace asked as they finally calmed down.

“I imagine he’ll be quite excited…” Hermione said, resting a hand on her stomach. “He was like that when we found out I was pregnant with Caitlyn.”

“That’s so cute.” Grace said. “Listen, I have to go I have another appointment, but let me know how everything goes, okay?”

“I will.” Hermione hugged her again. “Thanks for everything Grace.”

“Sure.” Grace squeezed her arm and left.

Hermione went back to the flat and made herself some tea. She was still in shock over the news, but filled with excitement at the same time.

“I can’t wait till Harry gets home.” She said aloud, wishing the hours to go by faster. She pressed her right hand to her belly and tried to see if she felt anything. Right now, her stomach just felt hard, not much of a sign of life inside yet. She felt full to bursting with her news right now, however, and needed to tell somebody, in fact, she didn’t want to wait for Harry to come home from work. Hermione decided to make a little trip to the Ministry.

*******

She pushed open the glass doors to the Ministry, nodding at the official sitting to the right of the door. Hermione hummed softly under her breath as she came to Harry’s office and knocked.

“Come in!” she heard a distracted voice say. Pushing open the door, she was amused to see Harry arguing with the head of Oliver Wood in the fire. “Oliver I know I promised you a favor but that’s ridiculous!” Harry shouted. “I’m not modeling Quidditch outfits at the World Cup!”

“Potter you promised!” Oliver’s Scottish accent was thickened by his words. “I need someone to show off the new uniforms and with your fame, it’ll draw tons of crowds.”

“But Oliver—“ Harry started to say.

“You promised!” Oliver said. “I’ll see you at the pitch this Saturday, be there at nine am sharp.” The fire went out with a loud pop and Harry yelled in frustration.

“Bad day?” Hermione asked innocently, moving into the office. Harry slumped down into his chair.

“I can’t believe this, Oliver wore a kilt for what, one minute for me and I have to go MODEL Quidditch uniforms for a whole game….” He ran his hands through his hair and it stuck out in every direction.

Hermione smiled and came along side him, smoothing it back down. “I bet you’ll be fine.” She said, inwardly getting quite a kick at the thought of Harry parading around the stadium in Quidditch gear.

“Yeah yeah…” Harry looked up at her and finally smiled. “What brings you over here today?” He brought her down to sit on his lap and kissed her. “Not that I mind a visit from you….”

“I went to see Grace today…” Hermione began. “She was worried at first when I told her how sick I’ve been getting, but then gave me some interesting news when we did some tests.”

“What’s that?” Harry asked, as his eyes took on a concerned look. “You aren’t like, seriously ill are you?” his voice held a slight note of panic.

“No, no…nothing like that.” Hermione reassured him.

“Okay…sorry, just got a little freaked out there.” He said, holding her a little tighter.

Hermione took a deep breath. “I’m pregnant, Harry.”

Harry stared at her, flabbergasted. “You…you’re pregnant.” He repeated.

“Yes, I’m pregnant. I’m having our child.” Hermione said calmly.

Harry stared at her for a moment. “You’re having our child.” He was beginning to sound like a robot.

“Yes, Harry.” Hermione said patiently. “I’m having a ba—“ she was cut off by Harry’s loud cheer.

“WOOOOOOO!” Harry shouted loudly, jumping up from the chair while still keeping her in his arms. Hermione laughed gaily as he spun her around.

“Two and a half months.” She said as he set her down.

“Really? That long already…. that would mean…” his eyes lit up. “WOW!” he cried.

A knock sounded on the office door, and a second later Ron’s head peeped around. “Everything okay?” he asked. “Hi Hermione.” He said, coming into the room.

“Ron, Hermione’s pregnant!” Harry shouted. Instantly a buzz of excited chatter came from the outer office, as everyone out there had heard him.

“That’s fantastic!” Ron said, delighted. “How far along are you?”

“Two and a half months.” Harry and Hermione said together. Ron’s eyes widened.

“Damn it Harry, that was fast.” He said, amazed.

“Right, right.” Harry said, reddening. Ron hugged Hermione.

“Boy I can’t wait to see Lavender’s face when she finds out.” He said. “She’s going to freak.”

“I’ll bet.” Harry said, wrapping his arms around Hermione’s waist. Ron waved goodbye and left them alone. “So what are you going to do for the rest of the day?” he asked, kissing her shoulder.

“Probably just go home and rest…” Hermione said. “This is the first day all week I haven’t gotten sick, so I’d like to enjoy it.” Harry laughed softly.

“I’ll get home as soon as I can.” He said. “We should owl Caty tonight and tell her.”

“All right.” Hermione grinned and kissed him again. “I’ll see you soon.” She walked out of the office to the explosion of chatter and well wishes. Harry sat back down behind his desk with the pretense of working again, but he found out that he could not sit still. He jumped up and started doing a dance around his office.

“I’m going to be a father!” He said softly, as if still trying to convince himself. “Again.”

Meanwhile, Hermione had just gotten back to their flat. She grinned to herself as she replayed Harry’s reaction in her mind. Walking through the flat, she determined that there would not be enough room for them all to continue living there once this baby was born. She and Harry would have to discuss that later, as well as start getting clothing and such.

Hermione went back into the living room and lay on the couch, resting her hands on her stomach and closing her eyes. It didn’t take long for her to fall asleep.

Harry entered the flat a few hours later, still rejoicing over his wife’s news. “Hermione?” he called, only to be answered by the retching sound from the bathroom. Frowning, he hurried in to see her trying to stand up. “Here,” he said, helping her get up.

“Thanks.” She said weakly, pouring herself a glass of water and sipping it slowly as to not upset her stomach again. “I just woke up from a nap and I was sick again…I’ve felt great all afternoon.”

“Awww.” Harry said, watching her rinse her mouth out and then pulling her close. She rested her head on his chest and he kissed the top of her head. “Have I told you how completely and hopelessly in love with you I am?”

“Not today you haven’t.” Hermione looked up at him with a slight smile on her face. “Will you still love me in seven months when my stomach is sticking three feet in front of me and you can’t hug me like this?”

“Of course I’ll still love you when you’re fat.” Harry teased, ducking the blow she sent his way. “I’m just kidding!!!”

“You’d better be.” Hermione said as they went into the living room. “So what time again do you have to be at the World Cup this weekend?”

“You just had to bring that up huh.” Harry said. “I have half a mind to disappear for the weekend….”

“No you don’t.” Hermione chided. “Oliver’s done a lot for us, you can do this for him for a few hours.”

Harry twisted his mouth. “I suppose.”

Hermione pulled him down on the sofa next to her. “Besides, I’ll be there to see you, and I can tell everyone that it’s my husband up there.” She said, kissing him.

So that was how Harry found himself up in the air, strutting around on a broom in front of millions of wizards and witches, showing off various Quidditch uniforms. Oliver had been right about his fame drawing in lots of attention, he was amused in the least to see plenty of teenage girls and older women waving their banners at him, and to his horror, a few men.

“Okay, no.” Harry mumbled to himself as one of them threw an enchanted rose at him. He swooped down to avoid it and flew over to the box where he knew Hermione was sitting with Ron and Lavender.

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” Harry asked Ron, who was chortling heartily.

“Oh, more than you know.” He replied. Lavender poked him. Harry looked at Hermione.

“Want to ride with me?” he asked her, leaning into the box.

“NO!” she replied. “What if I fall?”

Harry gaped at her. “Hermione, do you really think I’d let you fall? Especially with you carrying our baby?”

“Well no…but…” she started to say but Harry grabbed her.

“But nothing….” He took off and she squealed and held tightly on to him.

Oliver’s voice boomed over the stadium again. “Here we have Harry Potter again, and who does he have with him but his lovely wife Hermione!”

Everyone cheered loudly for them as Harry grinned and did a few flips, much to Hermione’s chagrin.

“Harry I’m going to kill you!” She shouted as he flew across the stadium back towards the box.

“You said you wanted me to do this.” Harry said into her ear as he slowed down so Ron could help her back into the box. She only glared at him as he once again flew up into the stadium.

She wouldn’t speak to him later when they finally arrived back at the flat.

“Aw Hermione…” Harry put on his best pout face. “You can’t still be mad at me about flying!”

“Yes I am.” Hermione said. She turned her back on him and stalked into the living room. Harry stared after her for a moment and then followed her.

“Hermione, do you honestly think I’d let anything happen to you or the baby?” he asked.

“No.” she said, and turned to face him. “But my fear of heights hasn’t dissipated, and when you flipped us today I thought I was going to have a heart attack.”

“I’m sorry.” Harry said, coming forward and pulling her into his arms.

Hermione looked up at him and felt her hard exterior crumbling away. “I like your pouty face better.” She said, and he stuck his lower lip back out. Hermione quickly raised her face to his and kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck to keep him close. His arms went around her waist so that she was tight against him. She ran her tongue lightly along his lower lip so that he’d open his mouth to hers, which of course he did. This went on for several more minutes, growing more frenzied.

Harry broke the kiss and looked at Hermione. “Can we…you know….” He motioned his head towards the bedroom.

“I do believe so.” Hermione smiled and pushed him towards the door.

*****

During the months that passed, Hermione of course got larger as the baby grew, and she went through all the typical pregnancy notions, including mood swings- which Harry hated, he tried to stay out of her way during those, and of course, the ever annoying strange cravings. She woke him up one night, during a violent thunderstorm, wanting sushi and peanut butter. Harry had actually had to apparate to a wizarding area in Tokyo (she wanted it fresh) and then go find a sushi restaurant that was open. Another time, he’d had to go find Indian food and then mix it with pickles. The worst one, however, was the time she wanted egg salad and Bertie Botts.

It had been worth it to him when he’d come back and saw how happy it had made her, even though he had to leave the room most of the time while she ate. However, she was now entering her last trimester.

*****

Hermione sighed as she made her way into the living room. Harry looked up from his piano and smiled.

“Good morning.” He said, moving over so she could sit next to him.

“I’m as big as a house.” She said, feeling sorry for herself. Harry wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“Hermione, if you were as big as a house, how would you fit in this flat?” he asked, purposely acting like an idiot to make her smile.

She rolled her eyes at him and a tiny smile quirked at the corners of her mouth.

“Will you play me something?” she asked, leaning against him with her hands on her very swollen belly.

“Certainly.” Harry replied, rippling his fingers over the keys. “What do you want to hear?”

“Something nice and light.” Hermione said, closing her eyes. Harry began to play a tune, starting out softly and making the notes stronger as he went on.

“Swan Lake…” she murmured, enjoying the flowing music. She touched his arm lightly as to feel the vibrations from the piano.

Harry looked at his wife as he played for her, despite her size from the pregnancy; she had never looked more gorgeous to him. She had a natural glow about her from the excitement and he adored looking at her, especially at times like now when she didn’t realize it. He finished the song softly, letting the notes linger in the air.

“That was beautiful Harry.” Hermione said, opening her eyes. “I would never have realized you could play piano so well.”

“Well it helped me express a lot of mixed up feelings I had back when you first…left.” Harry said.

“Oh.” Hermione said. She was about to get up from the bench but a sharp pain across her abdomen made her sit back down. “Oooooh!” she cried out.

“What?” Harry was instantly on his feet.

“I think….” Hermione was now bent over, clutching her stomach. “Harry I think its time.”

“But you’re not due for two weeks!” Harry said frantically.

“Harry, it doesn’t matter when the baby’s due if it’s coming now…” Hermione trailed off as another pain made her double over.

“Okay okay…” Harry mumbled as he flew into the hallway and grabbed Hermione’s bag. “Okay, let’s go…” he said as she grabbed onto his arm and he apparated them over to St. Mungos.

*****

It was late that evening, with the aid of Grace and another medi wizard, that Harry and Hermione’s baby son was born. Hermione was exhausted, naturally, but was alert enough to want to hold her son. Harry was flexing his hand, which was cramped due to Hermione squeezing the hell out of it during the worst of the delivery.

“Here he is! Congratulations!” Grace said proudly, bringing over the newly cleaned baby. Harry took him in his arms and went over to Hermione.

“Hello Mum.” He said, happy tears sparkling in his eyes.

“Dad.” Hermione returned, reaching out for him and the baby. “You know, we never picked out a name.”

“I know, we discussed lots of them…” Harry said. “I’d like to stick with the C names.”

“Me too.” Hermione said, looking adoringly at her new son. “But we should give him James for a middle name.” She looked up at Harry.

“Okay.” He agreed. “What about Chandler?”

Hermione made a face. “No.”

Harry laughed. “Okay…”

“Christopher?” Hermione asked.

“Everyone names their son Christopher.” Harry said. “How about…Colin?”

“Oh I like that!” Hermione said. “Colin James Potter.” She leaned over and kissed the baby’s pink face. Colin gurgled and then opened his eyes, which were like Hermione’s, a deep brown.

“He’s got your eyes.” Harry said in delight. “I hope he doesn’t have my hair though.”

“We really placed an awful curse on our kids, hair wise.” Hermione said, grinning.

Harry laughed and reached out one finger and caressed his son’s cheek. “Colin James Potter.” He repeated. Hermione smiled up at him and he leaned down and kissed her. “I love you.”

“I know.” Hermione said. “I love you too.”

**** Two months later****

Harry let himself into the door of their flat, running a hand through his sopping wet hair. It was unseasonably cold for mid summer, he wore a coat, which he now took off and hung on a hook. “Anyone home?” he called out, only to be greeted with silence. He was just arriving home from a two week business trip in which he had managed to arrange the capture of two more dark wizards.

He walked down the hallway and into the living room, where he was greeted by a sight that warmed him from head to toe. All the lights were out; the room was lit by the soft firelight. Hermione lay on the couch, fast asleep, with Colin on top of her, his little fingers curled around the fabric of her shirt. Caitlyn, fresh from her first year at Hogwarts, was sitting on the floor, her head on the couch cushion, her hand resting inside Hermione’s. Harry could only stop and stare at his family for a long moment, before going over and sitting down next to Caitlyn, drawing her into his lap.

“Dad…” she murmured sleepily but didn’t wake up. Hermione stirred and opened her eyes, drinking in the sight of her husband.

Harry looked up at Hermione, his lips curving up in a smile. He didn’t have to utter a word. Their eyes said it all.

(A/N: Wow, that’s it for Return to Me!!! *sniff* I can’t believe it’s over, but what a happy ending. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for a sequel, which like I said, focuses more on Caty/Blue, but has some very nice H/H moments of course.

Thanks again to all who read and reviewed. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!!

While you’re waiting for the sequel and my other fics, make sure you check out these fine authors:

Ryoko Blue

God of Fire

ECR Potter

Nappa

HarryNZ

Happy reading!! )

16. Series Epilogue

A/N: Well this is really and truly it. This is the end to the Return to Me/It Was Bound to Happen/Within the Shadows of Hatred series. Thanks to ALL of you who reviewed these stories and stuck with me through the times it took me forever and a day to update.

Please be sure at this point that you have read ALL the series before this last chapter. This is a SERIES EPILOGUE so there are characters and situations that have brought them here and are mentioned that you will only know about if you’ve read my three stories before this.

With this epilogue, my main intention was to show you guys what Harry and his family are up to about seven years after Shadows is over.

I wanted to tell everyone what the characters had been up to, I left some detail out, specifically because I wanted you readers to fill in the blanks yourselves about how the characters got to this point.

This chapter takes place on Harry’s 52nd birthday. The reason I decided to post it with Return to Me is that I wanted to bring that all full circle and this has more to do with that plotline than Shadows.

In any case… if you have questions please be sure and email me because I won’t be able to respond to any of them in another chapter.

Thanks again for sticking with me through this! You guys really mean a lot to me!

Heaven

*** *** ***

Harry cracked his eyes open as sunlight streamed into the window and across his face. “Wake up sleepyhead,” a voice made him blink and look up.

“What,” Harry mumbled as he rubbed his bleary eyes. He fumbled for his glasses and slipped them onto the bridge of his nose.

“Happy Birthday,” Hermione was crouched over his legs, leaning seductively on all fours. “I have a present for you…”

“You do?” Harry asked, now fully awake as he slid his hands over Hermione’s satin covered hips.

“Yes,” she purred, leaning in to nip at his ear. “It’s been far too long since we’ve had a chance to…” Hermione was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Dad are you up yet? Happy Birthday!” the voices of his two youngest children came through the thick wood.

“I bloody am now!” Harry shouted back, groaning as Hermione slipped off him.

Carl rolled his eyes at his twin sister Corinne. “Ten Galleons says they were about to do something disgusting.”

“Carl!” Corinne grimaced at her brother. “That’s really gross!”

He smirked at her and pushed the door open; both of them were carrying wrapped gifts. “Happy Birthday!” his twins both clambered onto the bed with him and Hermione.

“Hey, thanks you two,” Harry pulled Corinne on one side and Carl on the other.

“Open mine first,” Carl thrust the oddly wrapped package into Harry’s hands. Harry grinned at his son. Now twelve years old, they were home from the summer from Hogwarts and would soon be going back.

He and Hermione had experienced a bit of empty nest syndrome after the twins left for school, but had thankfully found several ways of occupying their time, including more shagging on Harry’s piano and rechristening several rooms.

Harry peeled off the paper. “Hey this is fantastic!” Carl had given him a solid gold representation of a golden snitch. “I’ll put it on the fireplace!”

Corinne handed him a flat package and Harry eagerly ripped into it. “Wow,” he said, flipping through the photo album.

His daughter had filled it with pictures of the two of them over the years, starting from when she was a baby to ones taken just a few weeks ago. “Mum helped me put it together,” Corinne laid her head on his shoulder.

“I love BOTH my birthday presents,” Harry pulled his kids close with each arm. “Thanks you two,” he kissed each of their heads. “Now run along and let your mum and I get dressed.”

“Okay,” with a hug for Hermione, their kids scampered out of the room. Harry grinned after them for a moment before pulling Hermione back on top of him.

“She was so excited to give you that album,” Hermione said softly.

“It’s fantastic,” Harry said before pulling her head down for a kiss.

*** *** ***

“Blue!” Caitlyn Weasley set down her bag. “Are you coming or what?”

“Helena and I will be along in a few minutes,” Blue shouted down the stairs. “You and Lily go on ahead!”

They were heading to Harry and Hermione’s house. It was Harry’s 52nd birthday and Hermione was planning a surprise party for him. Blue was taking him to a Quidditch game; to treat him to a guy’s day out while Caitlyn and their daughters visited (aka set up the party) with Hermione.

Caitlyn sighed as she glared up the stairs. Her oldest daughter tugged at her arm. “Let’s go Mummy, I want to see Grandma!”

“All right love,” Caitlyn replied, smoothing back Lily’s bushy brown hair. “Are you ready to Floo?”

Lily nodded, clutching onto her bag containing her journal and books to read. She had also written a short story that she wanted to show her grandmother.

“Well off we go then,” Caitlyn headed for the fireplace and gave Lily some powder. “You know how to do it love.”

Once Lily had disappeared, Caitlyn took a pinch of powder and did the same. She disliked travelling by Floo, mainly because it made her dizzy and dirtied up her clothes. Yet since Lily and Helena were both too young to Apparate, they were stuck with Flooing for the time being.

She tumbled out of her parents’ fireplace; Lily was sitting primly on the sofa, brushing soot off her shirt. “Are you all right mum?” she asked as Caitlyn coughed from the dust.

“I’m fine,” Caitlyn replied. “Your grandparents need to clean that thing out.” With a charm she cleaned herself and her daughter off, and then they headed into the kitchen.

“Morning!” Lily cried out as she saw her grandmother. Hermione turned around, a smile breaking across her face.

“Hello love,” she hugged her granddaughter tightly. “Hi Caty,”

“Hi Mum,” Caitlyn hugged her mother. “Where’s Dad?”

“Showering,” Hermione replied. “I’m just making breakfast for him and the kids if you’d like to join us.”

“I’m not hungry but Lils hasn’t had breakfast yet,” Caitlyn put her hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “Blue and Helena should be along in just a bit.”

“Oh good,” Hermione said, turning back to the stove.

“Where are Colin, Carl and Corinne?” Caitlyn asked as Lily sat down at the table.

“Carl and Corinne are around here somewhere and Colin is still sleeping.” Hermione turned to her daughter. “He was out late last night with Katrina.”

Caitlyn cocked her eyebrow. “I’m going to wake him up,” she dashed out of the kitchen. She raced up the stairs and pounded on the door to Colin’s room.

“Rise and shine, valentine!” she called out in an overly loud voice. Opening the door to his room, she saw her seventeen year old brother sprawled beneath his sheets, his head under the pillow. “Come on you lazy bum its Dad’s birthday!”

“Go away Caty,” Colin grumbled, pulling his head out from under the pillow. Caitlyn laughed at his hair, which stood straight up in every which direction. “You weren’t the one out until three this morning!”

“Says you,” Caitlyn hit him with another pillow. “Blue and I have an active nightlife… sometimes.”

“Whatever,” Colin grabbed the pillow away from her and sat up. “I don’t need to know any more than what you just said.”

“Well fine,” Caitlyn got up, pulling his curtains apart. “But get your arse downstairs before I send the monsters up.”

“Go away,” Colin said rudely, pushing away the covers as his older sister left the room.

Caitlyn grinned as she leaned against the wall outside his room. “He loves his big sister,” she said to no one before skipping down the stairs. As she crossed past the living room she saw her husband and youngest daughter spill out of the fireplace.

“About time you two got here!” Caitlyn laughed and staggered back as red haired Helena threw herself at her mother. “What on earth are you wearing?”

“My Chudley Cannons clothes!” Four year old Helena was the bouncy, energetic member of their family. While she was loud and spunky, Lily, aged six, was quiet and pensive most of the time.

When Lily had been born, Blue and Caitlyn decided to name her after Harry’s long deceased mother. Helena actually looked more like her great grandmother, even though both girls had Caitlyn’s bright green eyes.

“Why are you wearing those?” Caitlyn picked her baby up, kissing the young girl’s forehead. “Love you know Daddy and his team aren’t playing today.”

“Because I’m going to the game Mummy and I wanted to wear my Quidditch clothes!” Helena bounced in her mother’s arms. “Can I please? Daddy said I had to ask you!”

Caitlyn looked at Blue, who grinned sheepishly. “She found out we were going and made me help her change…” he said.

“I suppose you can go,” Caitlyn nuzzled Helena’s nose. “But first you need to go see Papa and tell him happy birthday!”

“Okay!” Helena squealed and Caitlyn put her down to run out of the room. She looked at Blue who grinned at her again.

“Where’s Lily?” he asked, pulling his wife into his arms.

“In the kitchen with my mum,” Caitlyn answered.

“Good,” Blue leaned down and kissed her hard. “Didn’t get a chance to do that earlier this morning.”

“Mmm I know…” Caitlyn let her head fall back so he could kiss her neck. “We’d better not stay in here much longer or they’ll start searching for us.”

Blue pulled away from his wife with a groan. “All right, but we’re picking back up where we left off later on.”

“That’s fine with me,” Caitlyn gave him one last kiss. They went back into the kitchen and Caitlyn slipped into a chair beside Lily who was drinking a glass of pumpkin juice.

“Hey look who I found running around!” Harry announced, coming into the room with a giggling Helena in his arms.

“Happy Birthday!” a resounding chorus echoed in the kitchen as Colin, Carl and Corinne joined the rest of them.

“Dad’s an old man now,” Colin cracked, grabbing a banana from the middle of the table.

“Yeah, yeah,” Harry replied. He set Helena down and kissed his other grandchild on the head. “How are you Lily?”

“Good, Papa,” Lily answered shyly. “Happy Birthday,”

“Thanks love,” Harry smiled fondly at his mother’s namesake.

“HARRY!” a loud voice boomed. “Happy Birthday!” Ron Weasley grinned at his best friend of many, many years now.

“Ron!” Harry exclaimed. “Hey, thanks!” he said when Ron handed him a rather lumpy package.

“It’s from Mum,” Ron replied. “I didn’t get you anything.”

“Thanks,” Harry said, now sarcastic but he was still grinning. The package contained several homemade goodies from Molly Weasley.

“But we DO have a surprise for you,” Ron said grandly, ignoring Hermione’s dropped jaw. “Blue?”

Blue stood up and pulled some strips of parchment out of his pockets. “I think maybe we have some tickets for today’s Quidditch game of Puddlemere against the Magpies.”

Harry was the one with the dropped jaw now. “WHAT?!” he cried.

Hermione gave Ron a look, realising his plan to get Harry out of the house.

“Tickets for us guys to see the game,” Blue said handing them over to his father in law. “While you girls sit and do whatever it is you do…” he grinned at his wife who elbowed him sharply in the stomach.

“I want to go!” Helena shrieked, jumping up and down in her Cannons gear.

Lily rolled her eyes at her younger sister’s exuberant screams as her father looked at her. “You want to go too love?” he asked.

“No,” Lily shook her head and looked down at her bag.

Blue’s eyes met Caitlyn’s and he shrugged. “All right, you have fun here with the rest of the girls. He mussed his eldest daughter’s hair before scooping Helena up. “Everyone ready?”

“I sure am,” Harry replied. Corinne smiled at her twin as he and Colin got up.

“Have fun, catch me a snitch,” she said and Carl glared at her.

“That’s not funny!” he was sensitive about his inability to be a Seeker like his father. Corinne only giggled as the men left.

“You love to tease him don’t you?” Caitlyn commented. Corinne, shy as a child, had blossomed into a talkative almost - teenager.

“Of course, it’s my duty as a twin,” Corinne sipped at the tea her mother put in front of her and smiled at her niece. “Hey Lils.”

“Hi,” Lily said shyly. She admired her young aunt; her long black curly hair, her cheerfulness and the fact she was nice to everyone.

“What’s new?” Corinne leaned back in her chair as he sister and mother began to get party supplies out of a cabinet.

“Nothing,” Lily replied. “I wrote a story to show Grandma.”

“Can I see it?” Corinne asked. Lily pulled a sheaf of papers out of her bag and handed them over. “Come on, let’s go in the living room while they start setting up.” She put her arm over Lily’s shoulders and guided her out.

“How’s she doing in primary school?” Hermione asked.

“Fine,” Caitlyn replied. “She loves writing and reading… even maths.” She made a face and she and Hermione both laughed.

“It’s become a family trait,” Hermione smiled. “Come on, Lavender should be here soon.”

“Where’s Grace?” Caitlyn asked.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. “On yet another vacation with Justin, probably making even more children than they already have.”

Caitlyn laughed. The brood of Finch Fletchley children was quite large, and it seemed to grow even larger with every vacation Grace and Justin took alone. “What’s going on with Colin and Katrina?”

Hermione grinned. “It seems to be getting serious.” She said. “She’s really a lovely girl.”

“She is,” Caitlyn agreed. She liked her brother’s blonde haired, blue eyed American girlfriend. She was a Muggle but now knew about Colin’s wizarding abilities and fit in well with the family.

“Well… Harry of course thought Colin was too young to settle, but he really isn’t settled, you know?” Hermione shook out one end of a tablecloth and Caitlyn helped her spread it over the dining room table. “I mean, they’re not getting married or anything but I think Colin’s in love.”

Caitlyn smiled. “That’s really sweet. I should tell her what a prat he really is.”

Hermione laughed. “I’m sure she knows at this point. But Harry was the same way when you and Blue got together…”

“Tell me about it.” Caitlyn pulled the tablecloth smooth. “I mean, we couldn’t even tell him at first about living together.”

“But he wasn’t angry about it,” Hermione reminded her.

“Yes… but there was a whole other situation that was far more important.” Caitlyn replied. She leaned in closer to her mother. “Do either of them remember anything?”

“I don’t think so,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “The first few weeks, Harry and I would wake up with one or both of them in bed with us. But after about a month neither one of them said a word about it. And we were careful about shielding them from any media.”

“Hello!” a voice broke through their discussion. Lavender had come, her arms full of party favours.

“Hi!” Caitlyn greeted her mother in law with a hug. “How are you?”

“Good love, just great.” Lavender dumped her goods on the table. “Hi Hermione.”

“Hi Lav,” Hermione answered. “Good timing, the men and Helena just left.”

“I know, I purposely waited until they were gone.” Lavender looked around. “Where’s Lily?”

“With Corinne in the living room,” Caitlyn replied. “She wrote a story she wants to show you,” she spoke to her mother.

“I’ll go see her once we’re finished setting things up,” Hermione smiled.

Caitlyn brushed her long hair over her shoulder as she helped her mother hang up a sparkling banner. “Do you think Dad will like a surprise party?”

“Hopefully,” Hermione tied the end of the banner up. “I tried to give him his birthday present from me this morning but—“

“Don’t tell me any more!” Caitlyn held up her hand. “That’s disgusting and you know it.”

“Love, it’s no different than you and Blue,” Hermione smiled maddeningly then laughed. “I’m just teasing you Caty.”

Caitlyn shook her head. “One more word about that and you’ll be doing party preparations on your own.”

“Fine, fine,” Hermione was still amused. Lavender finished setting the magically expanded table in the dining room as Corinne and Lily came back into the kitchen.

“Mum you’ve got to read this,” Corinne held out Lily’s story while the young girl blushed profusely.

“I promise I will once we get these decorations up,” Hermione said to her granddaughter as she set the pages on the counter. “Lav, did you get those favours I asked you to?”

Corinne and Caitlyn went after her so none of them saw the crestfallen look on Lily’s face. She turned and went into the hallway and into the closet. She got down on all fours and crawled behind the long heavy cloaks into the corner, pulling her legs up as several fat tears rolled down her cheeks.

*** One Hour Later ***

“Hey, has anyone seen Lily?” Caitlyn was growing worried. She hadn’t seen her daughter around the house in quite some time.

“She was in the kitchen with us,” Corinne said. “I thought she’d just gone upstairs or something.”

“No, I checked up there.” Caitlyn looked out the window at the pouring rain. “I don’t think she’d go outside in this weather either.”

Hermione joined them. “Did you find Lily?”

“No,” Caitlyn shook her head. “And I’ve checked all over the place…”

“Well let’s look around again,” Hermione said. “Lavender went to see if she’d gone over to their house, Corinne, you take the top floor, I’ll check the second, and Caty you look around down here some more.”

Caitlyn nodded and her mother and sister went upstairs. She began checking behind the sofas and her father’s piano, then in the kitchen and in the hallway. Caitlyn opened the closet door and pushed aside some cloaks.

“Lily!” she said in relief. Her daughter looked up at her and Caitlyn was shocked to see tearstains streaked over her face. “What’s wrong love?” she crouched down so they were eye to eye.

Lily shook her head. “No one missed me for a long time,” she said, looking at her knees.

“What?” Caitlyn was confused. “Come on out here,” she pulled her daughter out of the closet and into the living room. “Sit down here and tell me what’s wrong.”

Lily shrugged. “I was gone in there for a long time and no one missed me. And no one but Corinne wants to read my story I wrote.” She fought back a new onslaught of tears.

“Love, of course we missed you… I’ve been looking for you since half past eleven, and I was terribly worried when I could find you. I never thought you’d be hiding behind the cloaks.” Caitlyn brushed her daughter’s hair behind her ear. “What else is bothering you?”

“Everyone loves Helena and not me!” Lily burst out. “Daddy took her to the game but not me. He always plays Quidditch with her, and you always help her with her homework.”

Caitlyn was silent; she felt a heavy weight settle in the pit of her stomach. She’d had no idea her daughter felt this way. “Come here,” she said, pulling Lily into her arms. She stroked the bushy locks and held her daughter tightly. “If you don’t feel loved then your father and I aren’t doing something right,” she finally said.

Lily didn’t say anything but she felt a bit better as her mother hugged her. “Lily, love… Daddy and I love you very, very much.”

“You do?” Lily asked.

“More than anything else in the world,” Caitlyn said firmly. She pulled away and wiped away the tearstains. “Want me to tell you a little story?”

“Okay,” Lily nodded.

“When Daddy and I were about to have you, all he could talk about was how he wanted a little boy. When we went to the hospital and you came out, the first thing he told me was that we had a daughter.

“I asked him if he was disappointed and he held you out to me- the mediwizards had put you in a little pink blanket. ‘Never,’ he said. ‘Look at her, she’s beautiful… we have an absolutely gorgeous daughter.

“We had to stay in the hospital overnight, and he stayed in the room with us the entire time. He could barely take his eyes off you… neither could I for that matter.

“You’re our special girl, our first little girl.” Caitlyn smoothed back Lily’s hair again. “Nothing on this earth, nothing ever, could make Daddy or I stop loving you.”

Lily sniffed, trying hard not to cry again. “Really?” she managed in a small voice.

“Really,” Caitlyn smiled as she hugged her daughter again. Lily clung back as hard as she could. “Feeling better now?”

Lily nodded and gave her mother a small smile. “I love you Mum,” she said.

“I love you too,” Caitlyn hugged her again. “Now why don’t you go wash your face and then I know that your grandmother wants to read your story you wrote.”

“Okay,” Lily scrambled off the sofa and went into the loo. Caitlyn went up the stairs and found her mother in her old bedroom.

“I found her,” she said.

“Oh good,” Hermione was relieved. “Where was she?”

“Hiding in the closet in the hallway,” Caitlyn sat heavily on her bed. “Mum… I’m doing something wrong.”

“What do you mean?” Hermione sat down next to her.

“Well Lily seemed to be under the impression that no one loved her,” Caitlyn felt tears welling up in her eyes. “I can’t stand that she thought that… does it mean I’ve been neglecting her?”

Hermione hugged her daughter much like Caitlyn had done for Lily moments earlier. “You’ve been busy lately and she’s at a difficult age…”

“She’s so sensitive,” Caitlyn replied. “But Mum, I feel just awful.”

“What did you tell her?” Hermione asked.

“I told her she was wrong, that Blue and I love her very much, then I hugged her for a few minutes.” Caitlyn said. “I’m pretty sure she believed me… but—“

“Then what you did was fine,” Hermione replied soothingly. “Your workload is bound to lighten up, and Quidditch season will be over soon, so you and Blue will both be home more often.”

“You’re right,” Caitlyn said. “Thanks Mum, I’m glad I know I can count on you for good advice.”

“Well why don’t you get Corinne- she’s still rooting around upstairs.” Hermione said.

“Lily really wants you to read her story,” Caitlyn got up. “It’s about Dad; she wants to give it to him for a present.”

“I’ll go right now,” Hermione said and she left. She went downstairs and saw her granddaughter in the living room. “Hello sweetheart,” she said.

“Hi Grandma,” Lily replied.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to read your story before this,” Hermione hugged the little girl to her. “What’s it about?”

“It’s about Grandpa when he was a little boy and if he grew up with us how he would have been happy.” Lily said, handing the pages over to her grandmother.

Hermione read the six page story in silence and at the end; she turned to her granddaughter with tears in her eyes. “Love… that’s the most beautiful story I’ve ever read,” she hugged Lily tightly. “And your grandfather is going to absolutely love it. How about I help you bind it together and wrap it up?”

“Okay!” Lily agreed eagerly. She and her grandmother hurried off to find some paper and heavy thread.

“There!” Hermione said an hour later as she helped Lily tie a bright red ribbon around the flat package. “You can go put it in the dining room with the rest of the gifts if you want.”

“All right,” Lily hugged her grandmother again and scampered out of the room. Caitlyn came in and sat down.

“Thanks Mum,” she said.

“For what?” Hermione asked, setting the teapot on the stove.

“For helping Lily with her story… I nearly cried when I read it,” Caitlyn smiled. “She’s got quite a knack with the quill.”

“She does,” Hermione agreed. “And I did cry after I read it. And I’m willing to bet Harry will too.”

Caitlyn smiled. “Well I think nearly everything’s set up. Lavender’s in the other room finishing with the rest of the decorations, and the guys should all be back soon.”

“We have enough time for tea,” Hermione said, bringing two cups to the table. “There’s always enough time for tea.”

“Very true Mum, very true.” Caitlyn said.

*** *** ***

“What a great game!” Harry exclaimed.

“Definitely,” Blue agreed, holding his daughter on his shoulders.

“Daddy I like it better when you play!” Helena shouted. She began to wiggle excitedly and Blue had to take her down.

“You’re a silly girl,” Blue grinned, handing her over to Harry. “Coming in Cannons clothes…” he teased.

“Hey, I like Chudley Cannons,” Ron stated, making them all laugh.

“I remember your bedroom at the Burrow, the first time I came to visit… it was all orange, Cannons everywhere.” Harry slung an arm around Blue. “Who’d have known your son would be their star player someday?”

“I’m going to play for the Cannons!” Helena squealed. “I’m going to be a Keeper like Daddy!”

“Colin can be the seeker,” Blue grinned.

“Hey, shut up!” Colin grumbled. He clutched a replica of a snitch in his hand that he’d bought before the game started for his sister.

“Uncle Carl, why don’t you want to be a seeker?” Helena looked quizzically at him.

“Because I’m awful at it,” Carl replied.

“Yeah, he’s pathetic,” Colin smirked.

“I’m game to helping you practise during the summer holiday if you want,” Blue offered. “Perhaps you can make the house team if you work hard at it.”

“There you go,” Harry cuffed his son over the head while Colin snickered.

“We should get back, I’m sure the girls are waiting for us,” Ron looked at his son who nodded.

“Maybe they’ll have made something to eat,” Colin added. “I’m bloody starving!”

“Aren’t you going out with Katrina later?” Carl smirked at his older brother.

“None of your business,” Colin pushed him and they began wrestling with each other.

“Knock it off you two,” Harry said.

Ron retrieved their portkey from a corner and tapped it with his wand. “Should be activated in a minute,” he said.

Harry smiled. “Thanks you guys… this was a great birthday so far.” He tickled Helena and she giggled.

“No problem,” Blue grinned conspiratorially at his father.

“At least our being gone gave all the women a chance to catch up on whatever it is they talk about,” Harry continued. “Hermione was never much for gossip and all until she and Lavender became better chums. Then once Caitlyn was old enough to know what they were talking about…” Harry shook his head. “Sounds like a room full of clucking hens.”

Colin and Carl smirked as everyone placed a hand on the portkey and were whisked away.

*** *** ***

“Is everything and everyone ready?” Hermione called frantically from the kitchen.

“Yes Mum,” Caitlyn replied. “In place and ready for Dad!” she smiled at her daughter, who was sitting next to her great grandmother Molly. Lily had perked up considerably since their talk earlier that day, and was currently clutching the gift wrapped package that Caitlyn knew contained the story her daughter had written.

“All right,” Hermione came in the room, looking completely frazzled. Caitlyn guided her to sit on the piano bench.

“Its fine, everything is fine,” Caitlyn said. Her father, husband and the others were due back any second now. “Dad’s going to be so surprised.”

“I hope so,” Hermione replied. George Weasley made sure there was no light coming from anywhere and then they heard Ron’s loud voice from outside.

“Why’ve they got all the lights off?” Ron wondered. Blue took Helena as Harry opened the door.

“Hermione?” he called, his eyebrows knit together. “Caty? Anyone home?”

“We’re in here dear,” Hermione replied sweetly.

“Why are you all sitting in the dark...” Harry began but at that moment everyone lit one of the lamps in the room.

“SURPRISE!!!!” a mantra of voices shouted and Harry jumped.

“Bloody hell,” he gasped. Hermione laughed, clapping her hands together.

“Happy Birthday dear,” she leaned in and kissed him gently.

“Happy Birthday Dad!” the rest of his kids shouted.

Harry grinned as the rest of the guests began to laugh. He saw Arthur and Molly, the Weasley brood sans Bill and Charlie, who lived quite far away, and Colin’s girlfriend Katrina was in the corner of the room by Caitlyn.

“Wow…” Harry was astounded. “When did you all have time to plan this?”

“That would be during the Quidditch game,” Blue replied.

“We surprised you Papa!” Helena jumped up and down energetically.

“You certainly did,” Harry laughed as did everyone. Everyone started to move and talk after that and Harry approached his wife.

“Worked like a charm,” Hermione said slyly.

“You’re a sneaky witch,” Harry replied. “I like it,”

“Good,” Hermione kissed him.

*** *** ***

“Hi Papa,” Lily said shyly. It had been an hour since the party had started and she’d finally managed to corner her grandfather alone for the first time.

“Hello love,” Harry pulled her over to the sofa. “Have you been having a good time?”

Lily nodded. “I have a present for you,” she handed him the package. “Grandma helped me sew it together and wrap it.”

Harry took it and pulled the paper off. He saw a carefully bound, slim book in his hands. Lily bit her lower lip and toyed with her hair as her grandfather read through her story.

Harry had small tears in his eyes as he finished. He took a deep breath and blew it out. “That was…” he shook his head.

Lily felt her stomach drop out beneath her. “It’s okay if you didn’t like it,” she said softly, looking down at her feet.

“No!” Harry sat straight up. “Lily, sweetheart, that was amazing. You write so well… it just made me wish I was really in your story.” He hugged her tightly to him. “I absolutely love it… thank you.” He kissed her forehead.

“I’m glad,” Lily said, still feeling shy. “Mummy thought I should give it to you so I did.”

“Your mum is a smart girl,” Harry gave her another hug. “I’m just going to go put this upstairs so it stays safe.”

“Okay,” Lily kissed his cheek before scampering off to her mother’s side.

*** Later That Evening ***

Hermione collapsed with a sigh onto the sofa. “I’m so tired,” she moaned.

“You had a busy day,” Harry sat next to her.

“I did,” Hermione cracked one eye open and smiled at her husband. “And I completely took you by surprise,” she laughed as Harry growled playfully.

“Sneaky witch,” he murmured affectionately in her ear.

“I’m your sneaky witch,” Hermione nuzzled the skin below Harry’s ear.

Harry slid his arms around his wife and pulled her on top of him. “Time to finish what you started this morning Mrs. Potter,” he said huskily before claiming her mouth.

“Well them we must recreate the crime,” Hermione breathed when he finally pulled away. “Be right back,” she kissed him again before skipping out of the room.

Harry grinned and moved himself off the sofa and over to his piano bench. Blue and Caitlyn had asked if they could take Carl and Corinne back home with them, and Colin would be out for hours with Katrina.

“I’m back,” a voice throatily drawled from the doorway. Harry turned around to see his wife dressed as she was that morning.

“Get over here,” Harry said, his breathing becoming heavier as Hermione glided over the carpet

“What are you going to do with me, birthday boy?” Hermione cooed as she sat on the other half of the piano bench and wrapped her legs around his waist. “Going to unwrap me Potter?”

“I think I am,” Harry pulled the cover over the piano keys and pulled Hermione up on top of them.

“Oooh…” Hermione leaned her head back as Harry attacked her throat, nipping at her skin lightly.

“Like that did you love…?” Harry trailed his lips over hers, pausing to kiss her deeply before moving his hands beneath her negligee. He wasn’t surprised to feel that she wore nothing underneath.

“It was more of a challenge this morning,” Hermione said, her voice low and husky. “I’ve been holding it in all day waiting for this.”

“I should have known you’d plan it down to the last detail,” Harry snickered.