Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven Rating: R Genres: Drama, Romance Relationships: Harry & Hermione Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 7 Published: 10/12/2008 Last Updated: 21/04/2009 Status: Completed The night before Harry leaves to fight Voldemort, he toys with the idea of telling Hermione how he really feels about her. He doesn't, and when he leaves her behind, Hermione decides to do the same to him. Ten years later, he finds her in Johannesburg, but she's changed quite a bit. Hermione's not the same girl he once knew and she's hiding a terrible secret. 1. The Power of Goodbye ----------------------- **A/N: Here’s our new fic- finally! We do hope you enjoy it! The regular Tuesday and Saturday posting schedule will continue as long as this one lasts. BIG thanks to Jo for beta reading this for us!!!** **The Power of Goodbye-** *Your heart is not open so I must go The spell has been broken, I loved you so You were my lesson I had to learn I was your fortress* *There’s nothing left to try There's no place left to hide There’s no greater power Than the power of good-bye* The greatest wizard Harry Potter had ever known had warned him that there would come a time when he would have to choose between what was right and what was easy. Harry hadn't really known what that meant until he'd made the decision to leave Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry. He wasn't just going to leave behind a building, but he was going to leave behind everything he knew and everyone he loved. Including one person in particular. "Harry have you seen my wool socks?" Ron Weasley asked. Harry turned away from the window and looked at his best friend. "What?" "I want to take my wool socks and I can't find them," Ron pawed through his trunks. "Try under your bed," Harry said returning his attention to his own packing. What did one take to take on a dark wizard, Harry asked himself. If Hermione Granger were here, she'd know just what to pack. But, she had no idea what he was doing or what he was planning. He listlessly tossed a few jumpers into his knapsack, his mind still on his female best friend. Could he really leave her behind this way? "Found them!" Ron announced triumphantly, holding up his wool socks. "Great," Harry said gloomily. Ron sighed. "She knows something's wrong. She cornered me after dinner and wanted to know what was going on with you. Thinks that you're still having doubts about breaking things off with Ginny..." "I am not," Harry denied. "Ginny and I weren't ever meant to be, Ron." "I know," Ron said stuffing his socks into his duffel bag. "But Hermione doesn't." "What's Hermione got to do with it?" Harry asked. Ron rolled his eyes. "You know everyone thinks I'm the dumb one. But, I see more than you and Hermione think I do." "It'd be nice if I knew what you were talking about," Harry snapped. Ron had kept quiet about what he'd observed this past summer. They'd been busy finding out everything they could about horcruxes. Harry and Hermione would sit close together huddled around some book while Ron fought off sleep. He'd seen the way Harry would look at Hermione when he thought no one could see. "I don't fancy her anymore," Ron said instead. "If that's what was holding you back..." Harry's head snapped up. "What?" "I don't fancy her anymore," Ron repeated. "At Dumbledore's funeral, you were a little preoccupied and she and I had some time alone. I told her I wouldn't say anything to you..." "About what?" Harry asked, panicking. How the hell had RON of all people figured out his feelings for Hermione? "We snogged," Ron admitted, his cheeks turning red at the memory. "WHAT?" Harry roared. Ron held up his hand. "Easy, Harry. It was just one time. It was----it was----it's kind of hard to describe..." "How so?" Harry asked, his green eyes narrowed. Ron sat down on the edge of his bed. "Well, Hermione and me, we've always had this love-hate thing going on. She drives me insane most of the time. To tell you the truth, I've always thought she was a bit mental, really..." "Ron," Harry interjected impatiently. "I guess opposites just don't really attract, okay?" Ron finally said. "This was just a few months ago," Harry said angrily. "I know," Ron said. "But I'm only telling you now because I think you might have feelings for her. When Hermione and I kissed, it didn't mean anything. It was kind of like snogging my sister, actually. Not that I know what snogging Ginny is like----" 'I should hope not," Harry interjected. "Anyway," Ron said hastily. "We decided we were better off as friends. So, if you were not saying anything because of me..." "How did you know?" Harry asked bluntly. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist," Ron replied. "I saw how you were this summer when we were doing all that research. I caught you looking at her when she was reading or when she was writing something down that she thought we should all remember. Oh, and you say her name in your sleep. A lot." "Shit," Harry raked his hands through his hair. "How long?" Ron asked. "Middle of this past year," Harry admitted. Ron nodded. He'd expected as much. "That's why you don't want her to come with us." "I can't let anything happen to her," Harry told him. Ron looked at him. "Harry, you and I both know we'd have a better chance with her than without her. She's smarter than anyone we know and she can handle herself..." "And he'd use her to get to me," Harry interrupted. "I'm not going to talk you out of this, am I?" Ron asked him. "No," Harry said firmly. Ron was glad he wasn't going to be here when Hermione found out that they'd left her behind. She was always reminding them that she was just as capable as the two of them to take care of herself. "Well," Ron said quietly. "If tonight's the last time you're going to see her, maybe you should let her know how you really feel." Harry looked at him. "You think?" "It's up to you," Ron said standing up. "This might be your last chance, Harry. You--you didn't get a chance to say a proper goodbye to Sirius. You don't want that to happen with Hermione, do you?" Harry looked away from Ron. He hated to be reminded of his stupidity that caused Sirius's death. "I'm going down to the kitchens," Ron said. "We're going to need some food to take with us." "Don't get anything messy," Harry cautioned him. "Yeah, yeah," Ron said shaking his head as he left the room. Harry sat down on the edge of his bed and thought about what Ron had said. What if this was the last night he would ever see Hermione? He had thought that a clean break would have been the best thing for both of them. Besides, this was the best thing for her. She had worked so hard to make Head Girl. A smile played on his lips as he remembered how happy she'd been when she'd received the letter. He'd collected the post that day and he'd given her the letter. Her hands had been shaking and she'd been so nervous, she handed it to him to open. But, at the last minute, Hermione grabbed it from him and read the letter. "I knew you'd get it," he had told her. "There's no question." Hermione beamed at him. "I wasn't so sure. I mean, Hannah really did well last year. It could have so easily been her. Oh, Harry!" She'd thrown her arms around him and given him a hug that would have made Molly Weasley proud. Ron was right. He had to go talk to her before he left that night. In the Head Girl's room, Hermione Granger was sitting at her desk. She should be studying for a Transfiguration exam tomorrow, but she was preoccupied. Something was going on with Harry. She knew it. The hunt for those mysterious horcruxes was wearing on him and Hermione felt a wave of guilt as she thought of how she'd let him down. If she was so smart, she would have figured this out already. But, here she was, almost as clueless as she'd been the day they'd first heard about horcruxes. A knock on her door made her groan. "Ron I am NOT sneaking down to the kitchens with you!" "It's not Ron," Harry's voice called back to her. "Oh!" Hermione said. "Harry, come in!" Harry opened the door and slowly stepped inside. His heartbeat quickened as he saw her. She was wearing her pyjamas and she'd pulled her hair back into a messy ponytail. The thought of never seeing her again tore him up inside. "What are you doing up here?" she smiled at him. "Just wanted to see how you were," Harry said, which was true. "Ron said you were worried about me." "I'm always worried about you," Hermione shook her head. Harry stepped closer. "I don't have to worry because I know you're worrying enough for the both of us." "Exactly," Hermione grinned at him. Crookshanks purred contentedly from his perch on Hermione's lap. "You know, I've been thinking that we could use our Hogsmeade weekends to try and search for the horcruxes," Hermione said thoughtfully. "It'll be hard to get away, but you know you are lucky, Potter, because I have connections..." "Sure," Harry was unable to meet her eyes. Hermione looked at him. "Harry? What's wrong? Is it Ginny? I hope she's not bothering you. I told her if she just let this go..." "I haven't talked to Ginny in ages," Harry said. In truth, he'd been avoiding the redhead. Hermione had known that because Ginny kept coming up here every day to lament to Hermione about Harry. Hermione had to remind herself to hold her tongue and not tell the younger girl that she should realise that Harry had more important things to worry about. "I just... wanted to come say good night, I guess," Harry said. Hermione put Crookshanks down and stood up. She wasn't about to let him go that easily. "Come here. Let's talk. I feel like we haven't talked in ages." He instantly felt nervous again. "Uh... about what?" "About anything," Hermione said taking his hand and leading him over to the sofa. "About nothing." "I just wish all this was over with," Harry muttered. "It will be," Hermione said squeezing his hand. "Harry, you're ready. Ron and I are going to be right beside you the whole way. And---and when this is over, you can have that normal life that you deserve." "Sure," Harry replied. "Normal..." "Normal," Hermione smiled. "You remember me telling you about that house my parents have in Nice? I was thinking when it was all over, you, Ron, and me could go there for a nice holiday." "That sounds great," Harry said. Hopefully she would forgive him and they'd still be able to go. Hermione laughed. "It will be fun listening to Ron try and order French food." "He'll eat it no matter what it is," Harry also smiled. Hermione loved seeing Harry smile. She hadn't seen enough of it lately. "I told him he had to try escargot. He has no idea what it really is." "He won't hear a word about it from me," Harry said. "Our little secret," Hermione grinned. "We have how many of those now?" Harry asked. "At least a hundred," Hermione grinned and moved over to sit closer to him. She rested her head on his shoulder. Harry gulped nervously. She was so close! "I know what you're thinking," Hermione said softly. "You do?" he squeaked. "Yes," Hermione said. "And you're wrong. Ron and I want to go with you. We're going to be with you the whole time, Harry." "Right," Harry mumbled. Hermione lifted her head to look at him. "You're the bravest person I know, Harry." "I don't feel that way," he said aloud. Inside, he was berating himself for his lack of courage to tell her how he really felt. Hermione could sense that something was on his mind. "You can tell me anything. You know that, right?" Harry nodded. "Why did you really come up here?" Hermione asked him. "I just... I really just... wanted to say good night," Harry looked at her properly. "Harry," Hermione said looking right back at him. "I really should get to bed," Harry told her. "Don't go," Hermione said. "I'm really tired," Harry lied. "How about we meet tomorrow morning before breakfast?" Hermione asked. "We can talk." "Sure," Harry's voice almost choked. "Sure." Hermione stood up with him and gave him a hug. "Everything's going to be fine, Harry." Harry nodded, burying his face in her hair for just a moment. Some brave Gryffindor he was, he thought to himself. He couldn't tell the girl he loved how he really felt. Maybe when this was all over, he'd tell her. If he made it through this, he vowed he would tell her how he really felt. "I'll see you in the morning, then." Hermione said. "Get some rest." Harry doubted he'd get any sleep tonight. He looked at Hermione's face wanting to commit every inch of it to memory. ""You sure you're all right?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just...fine." "Okay," she said softly. Harry thought briefly about kissing her, but stopped to give her one last hug. "You get some sleep, too. Forget about horcruxes for one night, okay?" "Deal," Hermione replied. "Good night, Hermione," Harry said softly. "Night, Harry." Hermione said. Harry gave her one last look before he left her room. He closed the door behind him and leaned against it. "I love you," he whispered. Hermione also stared at the door for a long moment after he'd left. She knew something was wrong with him and told herself she'd find out the next day. Something told her it wasn't Ginny Weasley that was on his mind and for that, Hermione was grateful. She'd never really understood that relationship and how it had seemed to spring up out of nowhere. With that thought in mind, Hermione turned down her sheets, Crookshanks jumping lightly up to lie next to her. Hermione smiled at her cat. "We're going to find out what's really going on with him tomorrow. He's never been able to hide anything from me for too long." Crookshanks yawned, stretching out his paws. Hermione laughed. "Good night, you." Ron was waiting when Harry returned. "Did you tell her?" "No," Harry said shortly. "I--I was thinking we should leave now instead of at dusk. Are you ready?" "Now?" Ron asked. "Well uh... yeah." "The sooner the better," Harry said stuffing some socks into his bag. He knew that the longer they stayed, the more likely he'd change his mind or that Hermione would figure it out. He'd already cut it too close with her upstairs. She didn't miss much and with how he'd acted, he wouldn't be surprised if she surmised exactly what he had planned. "Why didn’t' you tell her?" Ron asked as he shouldered his bag. "I just couldn't," Harry replied. "I'm a coward." "Harry--" Ron began. "I've hurt her enough," Harry said. "What good would it do to tell her I love her and then leave her knowing that I probably won't be coming back?" Ron nodded. "I guess I see what you mean." Neville pulled back the curtains on his bed. He'd pretended he was asleep but he'd heard every word that Harry and Ron had said. The room was quiet now what with Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan having been pulled out of school due to fears of Voldemort. "You're really leaving?" Neville asked in a small voice. Both of them spun around. "Neville?" Neville climbed out of bed and levelled his gaze at his two friends. "What's going on?" Neville asked them point blank. Harry and Ron looked at each other. "We're leaving." Harry said. "With the Order?" Neville asked. "The less you know, the better." Harry told him. "Me and Hermione, you mean," Neville said quietly. "She's not going with you." "Don't worry about it," Ron said. "Don't worry about it?" Neville asked him incredulously. "You're leaving in the middle of the night to fight---V-Voldemort and I'm not supposed to worry about it?" "Neville..." Harry shook his head. "Just... give us a head start before you go off telling everyone." "Yeah," Ron agreed. "And could you---could you look after Ginny for me?" Neville stared at them without a word. "And Hermione," Harry said quietly. "Tell her---tell that I'm sorry and that this was for the best." "She's not going to take to that for a moment," Neville said. Harry didn't think so either, but it was a chance he was willing to take if it kept her safe. "If this is the way you want it," Neville shook his head. "It's not the way I want it," Harry said grabbing his bag. "It's the way it has to be. Take care, Neville." "Good luck," Neville said quietly. "Thanks," Ron said, extending his hand. "You're a good mate, Neville." Neville shook it. "You two come back, hear?" "Too right we will," Ron said grinning at him. "And we'll throw one hell of a party to celebrate." Harry nodded, even though he was expecting the worst. "Look after Ginny," Ron said. "And Luna Lovegood. Merlin knows someone needs to." "I will," Neville replied. "And Hermione." "Hermione," Harry nodded. "Let's just hope she's still speaking to us when we do make it back," Ron muttered. "Let's go," Harry said abruptly. Neville watched them go, wishing at the last minute that they'd change their minds and stay here. The next morning, the discovery of Harry and Ron's absence caused quite an uproar. There was one person who was completely unaware and that was the Head Girl. In an uncharacteristic move, Hermione had overslept and she'd cursed herself for not setting her alarm. With the way things were, she wouldn't have time for a proper talk with Harry. She got dressed quickly and rushed down to the Great Hall, determined to corner him. Lavender Brown descended upon her and threw her arms around her. Hermione was taken aback. She and Lavender had never been close. "It's good to see you too, Lavender. But, I'm really---" "I was afraid that you'd gone with them too," Lavender said wiping at her eyes. "What?" Hermione asked. "Gone with who?" "Harry and Ron," Lavender said. "Everyone's talking about it. They left last night to take on You Know Who." For a moment, Lavender's words didn't register. "What?" Hermione asked preparing herself that this was nothing but a vicious prank. She stalked over to the Gryffindor table. "Neville? Where are Harry and Ron?" Neville jumped. "I uh... what?" Hermione looked over to where Ginny was crying into her napkin. "Ginny?" "Gone," Ginny sobbed. Hermione shook her head. "No. No. They're not gone. Ron's probably upstairs sleeping like a log and Harry's trying to wake him up and they'll be late for classes like they almost always are." Neville shook his head. "Ginny's right, Hermione. They're gone." Hermione stared at him. "How?" "Last night," Neville said quietly. "They said to tell you that they were sorry, but that this was for the best." Hermione shook her head. "No. NO! They'd have NEVER left without me!" Neville reached his hand out to comfort her, but she shrugged him off. "Hermione---" "How could they?" she whispered. Lavender looked thoughtfully at her. "They obviously wanted to protect you. It's quite romantic, really." "Romantic?" Hermione snapped at her. "Yes," Lavender said, not understanding why Hermione wasn't flattered. "I mean, Harry left Ginny behind and Ronald's left you. It's very sweet..." "Harry did NOT leave Ginny behind!" Hermione's voice wavered. "He left ME!" The Great Hall grew silent at Hermione's outburst. Ginny stood up, her eyes red but narrowed. "Harry still loves me," Ginny said glaring at Hermione. "He thought he was being noble." "He doesn't love you," Hermione spat. "Can't you see it? He doesn't want to be near you!" Ginny looked like Hermione had just slapped her. "Well, obviously he doesn't want to be near you, either!" Hermione just shook her head, her eyes filling up with tears as she rushed from the Great Hall. That's what last night was about, Hermione thought bitterly. How stupid could she have been? He had come to tell her he was leaving without her, but hadn't had the courage. She was just as capable as Ron at defending herself, she thought angrily. She'd worked side by side with the two of them this entire time, planning, plotting and researching. But, that wasn't good enough, was it? In their eyes, she was always going to be the girl. What did they think? She was going to just sit here waiting and worrying while the two of them went off and then welcome them back with open arms? Hardly even realising what she was going, Hermione flung open her wardrobe doors and waved her wand at her garments. They folded neatly in midair and landed in her trunk. There was a gentle knock on her door, but Hermione ignored it. "Hermione," Neville called out. "It's me." "Go away," Hermione wiped at her eyes. Neville opened the door and saw what she was doing. "Hermione, don't tell me that you're going after them!" Neville exclaimed in alarm. "Why should I?" Hermione asked bitterly. "You don't know where they've gone," Neville argued. "I told them you'd react like this, but they didn't listen. They never listen to me." "You knew they were leaving?" Hermione spun around. "You knew and you didn't come to tell me?" Neville looked down. "They asked me to give them a head start..." "Well I'd certainly say you did," Hermione said furiously. "Hermione, I'm sorry," Neville apologised. "Just go away," Hermione said. "Not until you tell me that you're not going after them," Neville said defiantly. "I'm not going after them," Hermione told him. "I've chased after the two of them for far too long." "Then where are you going?" he asked. "Home," Hermione replied. "You're leaving?" Neville asked. "Just like that?" "Harry and Ron can do it," Hermione said opening up Crookshanks' carrier. "So can I." "But--" Neville was dumbfounded. Hermione put a protesting Crookshanks into the carrier and clasped it shut. "But what about school?" Neville asked. "I don't care," Hermione said coolly. "You don't mean that," Neville said. "Look, if this is about what happened downstairs with Ginny----" "I don't care one bit about Ginny," Hermione snapped. "I'm leaving. They left me, and now I'll leave them." She turned around to pick up some books from her bedside table and her eyes fell on the framed photograph of she and Harry that had been taken two summers ago. Her eyes burning with unshed tears, she pushed the photograph off the table, watching the glass frame shatter on the floor. Neville wondered if he should tell Hermione about what he'd overheard Ron and Harry talking about last night. If she knew how Harry truly felt about her, maybe that would change her mind. "Hermione, there's something I think you should know..." "No," Hermione said. "I don't want to know anything. I'm leaving and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it." Neville sighed. "At least let me help you with your things." Hermione shook her head, waving her wand again and shrinking down everything but Crookshanks' carrier. "I'm fine." Neville looked at her. "So, this is goodbye?" "It has to be," she said. "Take care of yourself, Hermione," Neville said swallowing the lump in his throat. It felt like everyone he cared about was leaving him behind. "You too," Hermione said quietly. Neville held open the door for her. "They'll be back, Hermione. I know it." "I won't be here to see them," Hermione replied. "I'll... I'll see you around, Neville." "Bye, Hermione," Neville said softly. Hermione gave him one last look before disappearing down the corridor. She remembered the statue on the third floor that would lead to Honeydukes. From there, she could Apparate. She didn't really want to go home, but there was no other option, was there? Her parents would tell her that they'd told her the magical world wasn't the place for her. She could almost recite the lecture her father gave her every single time she came home. "I don't care," she said, brushing away tears again. It had to be better than being left behind. 2. Coldest Winter ----------------- **A/N: We’re glad you guys like this story so far! Thank you so much to those of you who reviewed!** **Coldest Winter – Kanye West** **On lonely nights I start to fade Her love’s a thousand miles away Memories made in the coldest winter Goodbye my friend Will I ever love again?** **It’s** **4 A****.M** **and I can’t sleep** **Her love is all that I can see Memories made in the coldest winter Goodbye my friend Will I ever love again? Memories made in the coldest winter** **Goodbye my friend Will I ever love again?** Harry could hear muffled voices, but he couldn't see anything. Where was he? How had he gotten here and why did every bone in his body ache? "Healer Murphy," he heard a woman's voice say. "I think he's coming out of it." "What?" Harry muttered. "Don't try and move, Mr. Potter," a man's voice said, shining a light in Harry's face. "You're at St. Mungos." "Why?" he asked. Ron's laughter filled the room. "Why he asks? Mate, you took on Voldie." "Do you mind?" the healer asked, pushing Ron out of the way. "Ron, Ron," Harry said anxiously. "Are you okay?" "Never been better," Ron replied. "And---him?" Harry asked blinking as the healer shined a light in his face. "He's---?" "Gone," Ron said with a grin. "You did it, Harry! You were bloody brilliant!" "I was?" Harry tried to bat the light away. "Absolutely," Ron said. "I should tell everyone that you're okay. Mum, Dad, Fred, George..." "I'd really like to see Hermione," Harry said hoarsely. Ron froze. "Um... how about Lupin? Tonks... Ginny?" "I--I'll see them later," Harry stammered, trying to sit up in bed, but he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. "I want to see Hermione." "Lie down, Mr. Potter." the healer said. "Fine," Harry said wincing. "I'll lie down, but I'd really like to see Hermione." "She's not here," Ron said quietly. "What?" Harry asked. "You shouldn't have any visitors," the healer said. "You need your rest. You need time to heal. You have some very serious injuries, Mr. Potter. Burns, bruises, broken ribs, broken arm..." "Where. Is. Hermione?" Harry asked through clenched teeth. Ron stepped forward. "No one knows. She left Hogwarts the day after we did." "WHAT?" Harry sat straight up. "Mum and Dad tried ringing her house, but her parents said she wasn't home," Ron said. Harry was gasping in pain as the healer again pushed him into a lying position. "Ron," Harry said meeting his friend's worried gaze. "Please---you have to find her. I have to see her." "I don't know where she is," Ron said helplessly. "Find her," Harry managed to choke out before the healer poured a thick liquid down his throat. Ron had no idea where to look, but he didn't want to let Harry down, especially after what his friend had just done. The healer looked at Ron. "He should be out for awhile. I'm going to ask you to leave so he can rest." "Fine," Ron replied. "I'll be back later to see him." The healer nodded and showed Ron out the door. The moment his family and friends saw him, they swarmed him for any news on Harry. "He's awake," Ron told them. Ginny stood up. "Ron, did he ask for me?" Ron shook his head. "I'm sorry, Gin. He asked for Hermione." "What?" Ginny gasped. Molly put an arm around her daughter. "Shhh, Ginny. Harry's been through quite a bit. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you once he's had a chance to get some rest." "He wants me to find Hermione," Ron told them. "I'm going to check with her parents." Fred looked at his brother. "You've tried that, Ronnie. They hung up on you, remember?" "I'll go over there," Ron replied. "If she really cared, she'd be here," Ginny sniffed. "I care!" "Of course you do, darling," Molly appeased her. Ron rolled his eyes. "I'll be back in a bit." He headed out of St. Mungos and through the Leaky Cauldron into Muggle London. He had a vague idea of where Hermione's parents lived. The couple of times that he'd met Hermione's parents, he hadn't actually gotten along with them. But, he wasn't going there to see them. He was going there to see Hermione. If he had to drag her to St. Mungos, he would. He headed for Notting Hill, and remembered the street where she lived. Ron knew that he'd have to deal with the lecture of his life from Hermione, but he'd just tell her to get over it. The important thing was that all three of them were alive. Ron slowly walked up the steps and rang the bell. Her mother opened the door. "Yes? Oh... Reginald, right?" "It's Ronald, Dr. Granger," Ron corrected. He saw her grimace at the bruises on his face. "I was in a fight. It doesn't hurt." "I see," she replied. "Is there something I can do for you?" "I'd like to speak to Hermione," Ron replied. "Harry's in hospital and he's asking for her." "Hermione isn't here, as we've already told you." Mrs. Granger answered. "Will she be home soon?" Ron asked. "I can wait. Or if you know where she is, I could go to her." "She's away," Mrs. Granger told him. "On... on holiday." "On holiday?" Ron asked incredulously. "Dr. Granger, please. It's important that I see her." "I'm afraid she's unreachable," Hermione's mother said coolly. "Next time I talk to her, I'll tell her to ring you, if she wants." "That's not good enough," Ron said looking over her shoulder. "Hermione! Hermione, are you in there?" "I beg your pardon," Mrs. Granger glared at him. "I'll thank you not to shout in my house." "HERMIONE!" Ron shouted. "If Hermione wants to speak with you, she'll do it of her own accord," Mrs. Granger said sharply. "Good day." "But---" Ron protested as Hermione's mother slammed the door in his face. "Damn it!" Ron kicked his foot. "HERMIONE!" he shouted again. "HARRY NEEDS YOU! COME TO ST. MUNGOS!" Inside the house, Robert Granger looked at his wife. "If he doesn't leave in the next five minutes, I'm going to call the police." "He's going," his wife peered out the window. "Do you think we should ring Hermione and let her know that he stopped by?" Robert asked. Mrs. Granger shook her head. "She's finally settled in at her new school, Robert. She wanted a clean break." Robert nodded. "You're right." "I usually am," Elinore said with a grin. "I'm just glad Hermione finally saw things our way. We humoured her long enough with that magic nonsense." "I'm glad she came home," Robert agreed. "Me too," Elinore said. "And she can have the life we always wanted for her." "Speaking of which, Damien was asking about her again today," Robert said with a grin. Elinore laughed. "Robert, he's always asking about her." "He wants to arrange a date with her soon," Robert said. "I told him when she gets out of school, I'll have her ring him." "That's a great idea," Elinore said with a grin. "He's perfect for Hermione and he's going to be a great doctor." "Exactly," Robert reached for his tea. "I'll ask Mona about it tomorrow," Elinore said. "We've been trying to set those two up since they were kids." Robert chuckled. "Looks like it's worked." "Finally," Elinore said laughing, too. Back at St. Mungos, Ron was pacing in front of his friend's hospital bed. He had no idea how he was going to tell Harry that Hermione wasn't coming. Harry mumbled something unintelligible, and Ron froze. "Harry?" Ron asked uncertainly. "Hermione's here..." Harry turned restlessly. Ron sat down. "I'm sorry, Harry. I couldn't find her." Harry mumbled again and Ron strained to make it out. "...have to tell her," Harry muttered. "We'll find her, mate." Ron promised. "Mmmm," Harry murmured. "Hermione. Find...find Hermione." "Harry," Ron poked his shoulder gently. "Ron?" Harry asked, his eyes blinking open. "Hi," Ron said. "Sorry... I look like quite a minger right now... probably not the greatest face to look at." Harry let out a small laugh. "You actually look a damn sight better than you normally do." "Gee thanks," Ron said wryly. "I can't believe he's actually gone," Harry said reaching up absently to run his hand over his scar. "You were bloody brilliant," Ron told him. "Mind you, I was sort of knocked unconscious for quite a bit of it..." "I'm just glad that you're okay," Harry said. "That we're all okay." Ron nodded. "We're all fine." "Hermione wants us all to go on holiday," Harry said, recalling that conversation he'd had with her the night before he'd left. "I think I'll tell her how I feel about her." "Um..." Ron gulped. "She's not at home, Harry." "Where is she?" Harry asked. "I don't know," Ron confessed. Harry pulled back his covers and tried to sit up. "I have to find her, Ron." "Harry, mate." Ron said. "You have to rest." Harry shook his head. "Help me, Ron. I have to get out of here. Have to make her understand." "You can't do that in the condition you're in," Ron told him. "Ron," Harry protested. "You won't make it far," Ron said. "Fine," Harry relented. "But, I'm going to find her." Ron nodded. "She's never been able to stay mad at you for long. Me, yes, but never you." Harry nodded. "I just hope she'll forgive me." "She will," Ron reassured him. Harry groaned when the healer bustled back into the room. "You are supposed to be sleeping, Mr. Potter," the healer said. "I just woke up," Harry said defensively. "Can you give him something else for the pain?" Ron asked the healer. "It's not that bad," Harry muttered. "I can give him something, yes," the healer said making some notes on Harry's chart. "How about telling me when I can get out of here?" Harry asked. "It'll be at least a week," the healer told him. "A week?" Harry asked, shaking his head. "Yes," the healer said firmly. Harry glared at the healer. There was no way he was going to stay in here a week. He had to see Hermione and he had to make her see why he'd left the way he had. "Just do as they say," Ron told him. "We'll find her." Harry nodded. "There's a girl outside asking to see you, Mr. Potter," the healer told him. "Ginny," Ron told him. "Should I let her in?" Harry knew that he'd have to get this over with and he didn't want to give Ginny any false hope about the two of them. "Yeah...send her in." "She'll be glad to see you mate," Ron said. Harry didn't have a response to that. He settled back down on the bed. The healer said she would be back with something for the pain. A few moments later, Ginny appeared in the doorway beaming at him. "Hiya, handsome." "Hello Ginny," Harry replied. "I was so worried," Ginny said stepping closer. "From the moment I found out that you were gone..." "I did what I had to do," Harry said. "I know," Ginny said sitting down. "And now that V-Voldemort has been defeated, you and I can be together. We can do all the things that we said we would." Harry shook his head. The smile on Ginny's face faltered. "Harry..." "I'm in love with Hermione," he told her straight out. Ginny gaped at him. "Hermione Granger?" "Yeah," Harry nodded. "She's... she's been there for me when no one else has. It just took me a long time to notice that." "Hermione Granger," Ginny repeated. "There's no way---" "Yes," Harry said, pushing himself up. "Ginny, what we had- it's over. It's done with." Ginny shook her head. "She's not even here, Harry!" "I'm going to find her," Harry said determinedly. "You can't find someone who doesn't want to be found!" Ginny exclaimed. "What do you know about her?" Harry asked. "I saw her face the morning when she found out you and Ron had left her behind," Ginny told him. "She's never going to forgive you for that." "I have to try," Harry said. "Well," Ginny said standing up. "Don't expect me to be free when she slams the door in your face!" "I don't," Harry said. "You need to move on." Ginny choked out a sob before she ran out of the room. Harry closed his eyes and rubbed at his temples, wishing that had gone better. Ginny was wrong though. He would find Hermione and he would bring her home. The healer came in to give him another potion, but he barely noticed. Ron came back in as Harry was dozing off again. "Ginny's upset," he reported. "I'm sorry," Harry said hoarsely. "It---it had to be done." "I understand," Ron told him. "Sorry," Harry said closing his eyes. "Never, never meant to hurt her." "I know," Ron said. "Don't worry about it. Just get some rest." "Thanks, Ron," Harry said sleepily. Once his friend was asleep, Ron went back out to his family. "Ron, you should see the reporters and photographers outside," Fred told him. "I've never seen so many people." "Harry's given those people enough already," Arthur said wisely. "The best they could do for him now is to leave him alone." George nodded, uncharacteristically serious. "Maybe we should go out there and do something." "I'll do it," Ron said quietly. "Are you sure you're up for it, Ronald?" Molly asked her youngest son. "Yeah," Ron nodded. "I'll be fine, Mum." "They'll probably put you on the front page with all those bruises," Fred looked at him "Maybe she'll see," Ron said absently. He didn't know if Hermione would hear or see this, but it might be the only chance he had. A few minutes later, he was stepping out onto the front steps of the hospital and reporters lobbed questions at him right and left. "This is the only statement that I'm going to make," Ron said holding up his hand. "Harry Potter is fine. He's sustained some injuries, but the healers say he's going to make a full recovery." "Were you there at the battle?" One reporter asked. "You Know Who is really, really gone?" "Yes," Ron nodded. "What is Harry going to do next?" Rita Skeeter asked pushing herself forward through the crowd. "Whatever he wants to do," Ron said evenly. "And the less he's bothered by you, the better." "Where is that Muggle-born girl?" Rita Skeeter asked. "Hermione Granger?" "She's... with her parents." Ron chose his words carefully. "We hope she'll come see us soon." "She wasn't there with you?" another reporter asked. "No," Ron replied. "That's all I have to say." They launched a new set of questions at him, but Ron ignored them. He'd said what he needed to say and he hoped that would be enough. "Good day," he tipped his head at them and turned to go back inside. "Excuse me, Ronald!" a man called out to him. Ron turned to see Ernest Lovegood coming toward him. He didn't know the man very well. "I said all I needed to say, Mr. Lovegood," Ron said impatiently. "If Harry wants to really tell his story and not have it sensationalised by some cheap tabloid please tell him I'd love to talk to him," Mr. Lovegood said handing Ron his card. "I will," Ron said. "I'm glad that you and Harry are safe," Mr. Lovegood told him. "My Luna speaks very highly of you both." "Luna does?" Ron asked. "Really?" "Absolutely," Mr. Lovegood replied. "Said that you were quite a Quidditch player." "That I am," Ron said proudly. "She enjoyed calling your matches," Mr. Lovegood told him. "She was good at it," Ron answered. Mr. Lovegood smiled. "She's a good girl, my Luna." Ron nodded. "I'll have Harry owl you when he's up for it." "Thank you, Ronald," Mr. Lovegood said clapping Ron on the back. Ron headed inside, tucking the card into his robes. He wasn't sure if Harry would want to speak to anyone about what had happened, but he'd give him the card and let him decide. Ron smiled to himself as he thought of Hermione. She would have known exactly what to say. He had to find her, for Harry's sake. **Ten Years Later ...** Harry laughed as he watched the first-year students hanging on the every word of their flying instructor. He could remember all too well how he'd been in their shoes at 11 years of age listening to Madam Hooch as she told them how to mount a broom. Madam Hooch had left the school to spend more time with her husband. The new flying instructor was a former professional Quidditch player who had retired at the top of his game. He was also the last person anyone would have expected to become an instructor. "Professor Weasley!" one student said. "How do I get down?" Harry watched in awe as Ron patiently told the boy how to dismount. "Okay, you lot," Ron told them. "Remember what we practised today. Tomorrow, you'll take to the skies for the first time." "Brilliant," two of the young boys slapped each other high fives. "Now get out of here!" Ron told them with a grin. "It's lunch time and what does Professor Weasley say about lunch?" A young girl raised her hand. "It's the most important meal of the day?" Ron grinned. "Twenty points to Hufflepuff!" "I was going to say that!" a Gryffindor complained. "There's always tomorrow, Moran," Ron told him. He spotted Harry watching from the sidelines and he walked over to his best friend. "Alright, mate?" Harry grinned. "Good lesson, professor." "You saw that, eh?" Ron asked. "You do a good job," Harry told him. "Good?" Ron scoffed. "I am brilliant. Come on. I'm starving." "A lunch here does sound good," Harry nodded. "Been far too long." "Too right," Ron said slapping him on the back. "So, how was your meeting?" "Good," Harry replied. "Everything went just fine." Harry ran a foundation that funded projects and schools all over the world. He spent most of his time traveling from place to place. "Where was it this time?" Ron asked as they walked back toward the castle. "Just in Hogsmeade," Harry replied. "That's why I'm able to visit." "Did you see that barmaid I was telling you about at The Three Broomsticks?" Ron asked. "She was something else, wasn't she?" "She was nice," Harry nodded. "You could ask her out," Ron suggested. "The two of you could go out with me and Loony." "You and Loony?" Harry asked, diverting the subject away from dating. Ron turned red. "I--I've taken her out a few times." "When did that start?" Harry asked. "Couple of weeks ago," Ron mumbled. "She's teaching here, too." "What class?" Harry asked. "Charms," Ron replied. "I kind of didn't recognise her when I first started. She was always a little mental, right? But, you should see her now? She's still mental, but she's gorgeous, Harry." "A little mental but gorgeous?" Harry asked wryly. Ron led the way up the steps. "Just you wait until you see her. She's actually joining us for lunch. I thought we'd eat in her office so you wouldn't have to deal with the Great Hall." "Thanks," Harry said gratefully. "I still try to avoid a crowd." "No problem," Ron said. "Besides, wait until you see what Loony cooked for us. She's amazing in a kitchen." "She cooks too?" Harry asked. "Now I see why you like her." Ron laughed. "It's certainly a perk. Come on." Harry followed his friend upstairs. "The castle has come a long way," he said, impressed. Ron nodded. "McGonagall's really done some great things." "I'm glad," Harry looked around at the place that had been home to him for seven years. "Brings back some memories, doesn't it?" Ron asked him. "Sure does," Harry agreed. Ron led the way down the corridor to Luna's office. "Ronald!" the blonde beamed. "You're on time!" "I'm always on time for meals," Ron beamed back at her. "Hi Luna," Harry said. "Good to see you again." "Hello, Harry!" Luna exclaimed giving him a hug. "It's so good to see you again!" "I didn't know you were teaching," Harry said. "I thought you were writing for your dad's paper." "I was," Luna told him. "I did a great deal of traveling, too. But, I missed home and when Headmistress McGonagall told me about the opening, I couldn't say no." Harry nodded. "That's great. I'm glad for you two." "How about you?" Luna asked him. "Are you seeing anyone?" "No," Harry said. "Ronald said you were going to ask that barmaid out from the Three Broomsticks," Luna said. "I never said I was going to," Harry looked at Ron, who suddenly seemed interested in his robes. "Ronald?" Luna asked. "I just thought it'd be nice," Ron said hastily. "You're so thoughtful," Luna said looking adoringly at Ron. "Isn't he thoughtful, Harry?" "Yeah," Harry gave his friend a look. "Real thoughtful." "What have you made for lunch, Luna?" Ron asked changing the subject. "Your favourite," Luna told him, gesturing towards the table she'd set up in the corner. "That's quite a spread," Harry said looking at the food. "How'd you manage to make all that and teach classes, Luna?" "She's amazing, that's how," Ron said admiringly. Luna beamed at him. "Oh, Ronald!" Harry sat down. "This looks really great, Luna." "Thank you," Luna said happily. "Dig in!" Ron grabbed a plate and started loading it with one of everything. "Just one?" Harry teased. Ron nudged him. "This is just my first pass." "Oh of course," Harry laughed. The three of them were silent as they loaded their plates and started to eat. "So," Luna said conversationally. "How are things at your foundation? I saw Neville the other day and he said things were goingreally well." "They are," Harry nodded. "I'm headed next to a school in South Africa. They really need some funding, and besides, it's a school for orphans. I can talk to some of them." "South Africa!" Luna exclaimed. "I've always wanted to go there!" "I'll be mainly in Johannesburg," Harry said. "Is it a magical school?" Luna asked. Harry shook his head. "When are you going there?" Ron asked. "In a few weeks," Harry replied. "You could let Neville go," Ron said. "I mean he's helping you, right? But, he never goes on any of those trips. It's always you." "I like to go," Harry said. "I was just like you," Luna said. "Daddy had me going all over the world for stories. I saw some interesting places and met some fantastic people, but this is home." Harry knew the only place that would truly make this feel like home was Hermione. "I, for one, am glad that you're here," Ron said before digging into his potato salad. "Thanks mate," Harry replied. "It's nice to be back in this place again." Luna smiled at him. "It's great to have you here, Harry. Ronald has missed having you around." "Wish I could stay longer," Harry said sincerely. "You could," Ron said quietly. "This is my work," Harry shook his head. "You're still looking for her, aren't you?" Ron asked. "Don't even try to deny it..." "I can't help it," Harry said. "I know she's out there somewhere." "It's been 10 years, Harry," Ron said looking at his friend. "Ten years with no contact. No letters, no calls, no visits. Nothing." "I don't care!" Harry said vehemently. Ron sighed. "Harry, I think it's time you faced the cold, hard truth. She's not coming back. Hell, we don't even know where she is!" "I'm going to find her," Harry replied. Luna touched Harry's arm. "You will find her, Harry." "He doesn't know that for sure," Ron said. "I always thought you and Hermione were made for each other," Luna said dreamily. Harry had to smile at that. "I always admired her," Luna said softly. "She was one of the most intelligent people I'd ever met. She didn't like me at first because I think she knew I fancied Ronald." "She knew?" Ron asked in surprise. "I'm not sure, but I figured that was why she wasn't very friendly to me when I first met her," Luna replied. Ron sat back with a grin. "I love it when girls fight over me." "That's because it happens so rarely," Harry said dryly. "Hey!" Ron protested. "Okay," Harry said. "Name another occasion when two girls fought over you." "Hermione and Lavender," Ron replied without hesitation. "Sixth year. You remember when Hermione set those canaries after me..." "Two times," Harry rolled his eyes. "Technically we didn't fight over you, Ronald," Luna corrected him. "You were both secretly in love with me," Ron said puffing out his chest. "And I always thought Padma Patil carried a torch for me..." "What?" Harry asked laughing. "With how you ignored her at the Yule Ball?" "That was part of my ploy," Ron replied. "She was in my house," Luna remembered. "She cursed you every single day. She said you were the worst date ever." "Yes well... she was the only one," Ron grumbled. "If it makes you feel any better, my date with Parvati didn't go too well that night, either," Harry said. "Because you were mooning over Cho Chang," Ron pointed out. "Yes, well, there was that," Harry said. He remembered that night now for an entirely different reason. He could still see Hermione coming toward him in her dress robes. He'd never seen her look more beautiful. Ron groaned at the sound of the bell. "Lunch is over WAY too fast!" "Oh," Luna frowned. "Yes, it is." "I guess I'll see you later," Ron said to Luna. "Of course," Luna said giving him a kiss. "And don't forget we're going to chaperone the first Hogsmeade weekend together.” "I thought it was next weekend," Ron said. Luna shook her head. "No, it's the nineteenth." Harry froze. "September nineteenth." "What of it?" Ron asked, grabbing another roll from the table. "Hermione's birthday," Harry said. "Her 28th." "Only you could remember that," Ron shook his head. "I'd send her a birthday owl, if I knew where she was," Luna said. "She'd just send it back unopened," Ron grumbled. Harry said nothing, just got up from his seat. "Thank you for lunch," he said to Luna. "I've really got to get going. Got to pack." Luna gave him a hug. "Don't be a stranger, Harry." "I'll talk to you lot soon, I'm sure." Harry kissed her cheek. "I'll walk you out," Ron told his friend, but Harry shook his head. "I know my way," Harry said. "You sure, mate?" he asked. "Yeah," Harry replied. "Thanks again for lunch." Ron nodded. "Let me know when you're back, okay?" "Will do," Harry promised. Harry left the castle and headed back to his own flat to pack up his things. He had lived here for almost six years, but he hadn't spent more than a few nights here. He preferred living out of his suitcase and keeping busy. Pulling the suitcase from under his bed, he started tossing in clothes at random, his mind still on his lunch with Ron and Luna, and his thoughts of Hermione. He wondered if things would have turned out differently if he'd told her how he felt that night ten years ago. "Bravest wizard in the world," he muttered. Just then the fireplace rushed to life; Harry knew it would be Neville. "Hullo, Nev." Harry said. "Alright, Harry?" Neville asked. "Fine," Harry replied. "Something wrong?" Neville shook his head. "No, I just brought over the paperwork on that school in Johannesburg." "Great," Harry replied. "I've booked you a room at the Parktonian," Neville said. "It's within walking distance of the school." "Works for me," Harry said. He hardly cared where he stayed. Most places were luxury compared to his living conditions at the Dursleys so many years ago. Neville handed him the files. "I think you'll find everything you need in there." "Great," Harry flipped it open for a moment. "I'll read this tonight." Neville looked at his old friend. "How was your lunch with Ron?" "It was nice," Harry said. "Did you know he and Luna Lovegood are an item?" Neville grinned. "Luna mentioned something when I saw her last." "They both seem happy," Harry offered. "I'm glad for them." Neville nodded. "Me too." "How are you doing?" Harry asked him. "Great," Neville said with a grin. He was married to Hannah Abbott and the two of them had one child already with another on the way. "We found out today that the baby's going to be a girl." "Congratulations," Harry grinned back at him. "That's fantastic." "Thanks," Neville grinned. "Hannah and I were wondering if you'd be the godfather." "Really?" Harry asked. "You want me?" "Of course," Neville replied. "You're my best mate, Harry." "Thanks," Harry said. "Hopefully I'll be done in Africa by the time she's born." "Yeah," Neville said, nodding. "But, you know, if you have to extend your trip for any reason, I'd understand." Harry thought that to be an extremely odd thing to say, but shrugged. "So, your portkey activates at 10 a.m.," Neville said producing a wooden spoon. "You're scheduled to meet with the headmistress of the school at noon." "Great," Harry said. "I'm looking forward to this one." "The school needs a lot of help," Neville said. "I'm glad to be the one to do it," Harry nodded. "A local doctor donated a lot of money to the school a few years back, but he hasn't given anything since then," Neville told him. "You, um, might get the chance to meet him." Harry shrugged. "If I get the chance." Neville looked like he wanted to say something else, but he thought better of it. "Anything else I need to know?" Harry asked him. "No," Neville said shaking his head. "You'll find out all you need to know when you arrive." "Okay then," Harry said. "I'll be in touch." "Good luck, Harry," Neville said. "Good luck?" he asked but Neville had already disappeared. "Curious," Harry said shaking his head. He set the files down on his desk and continued packing. He had all he needed for the next few months at least. He closed his bag and sat down with the file. The school housed about 200 children and had a faculty of about 10 teachers. He started to read about each one- there was a small bio on each of them. He got into the first few before he found his eyes blinking shut. Harry figured he'd get the chance to meet all of them during his visit and he'd read up on them once he was there. Besides, he was knackered. He stuffed the file into a pocket in the side of his bag and tossed his glasses onto his nightstand. A kip sounded like just what he needed. Perhaps Ron was right, he thought as he closed his eyes. Perhaps it was time to forget about Hermione. It had been 10 years of no contact. Every owl he had sent to look for her had come back with no result. He'd hired detectives, both Muggle and Wizard, but it was as if she'd vanished off the face of the earth. Wherever she was, he hoped that she was happy and that she was safe. He knew that whatever she'd decided to do with her life; she'd have been a success. He yawned again, turning on his side as he dropped off to sleep. The next morning, he awoke feeling rested and ready to begin his journey. He had forgotten to read the rest of the file, so by the time he arrived at the Parktonian and unpacked, he had to be at the school. The Kayamandi School was an old plantation house that had been renovated into a school and orphanage. The grounds were sparse and the buildings needed a good coat of paint, Harry thought as he walked up the steps. "And some new stairs," he mumbled to himself as one creaked and nearly gave way under his weight. There was a woman sitting at a desk in the foyer and she looked up from her paperwork. "May I help you?" "I'm Harry Potter," he said. "I have an appointment with Dr. McGraw?" "Oh yes," the woman replied standing up. "I'll show you to her office." "Thank you," Harry said politely. The woman smiled back at him. "I'm Michelle, the school secretary." Harry held out his hand. "It's very nice to meet you." Michelle shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. How have you found Johannesburg so far?" "I just arrived, actually." Harry said. "Haven't really had much of a chance to check things out yet." "Dr. McGraw will have one of the teachers show you around the city," Michelle told him. "I appreciate that," Harry said, following her up a narrow staircase. "Is there anything in particular you can tell me about this house?" Michelle told him the history of the house. "This used to be a sugar plantation until Dr. McGraw's family decided to turn it into a school and orphanage. As you can see, we definitely need some help." Harry nodded. "It does look a bit run down." "Mrs. Conaghan is heading up our fundraising campaign," Michelle told him. "Mrs. Conaghan?" Harry asked, trying to remember if he'd read her bio. "Yes," Michelle said leading the way down the corridor. "She's our lead teacher." "Great," Harry replied. "Can't wait to meet her." "You can do that now if you'd like," Michelle said. "Her classroom is right here." Harry nodded. Michelle opened the door and put her finger to her lips. A woman with brown hair stood at the front of the classroom writing something on the chalkboard. Her back was to them. "Now, these are simple mathematic problems," Mrs. Conaghan said writing them out on the board. Michelle motioned for Harry to follow her to a seat to the side of the room where they'd be able to observe but not be noticed. Mrs. Conaghan finished writing the problems on the board and turned around. "Okay, who wants to tackle that first one? Jess, how about you give it a go?" A little girl stood up, but Harry literally felt as if his world had just stopped spinning and took no notice of her. "Don't be scared," Mrs. Conaghan said handing the chalk to the little girl. "You know this, Jess." Jess shook her head shyly. Mrs. Conaghan picked up the candy jar from her desk and took out five jelly beans. "Okay, Jess. I'm going to hand you five of these, okay?" "Yes ma'am," Jess whispered. Mrs. Conaghan grinned as she placed the candy in the little girl's hand. "And, I want you to give me three of them back." Jess did as her teacher asked. "Now," Mrs. Conaghan said kneeling in front of the little girl. "How many do you have left?" "Two," Jess said softly. Mrs. Conaghan beamed at her. "Correct." The little girl finally allowed a smile to flicker across her features. Harry didn't notice- he was still staring dumbfounded at the woman as she went back up to the chalkboard. His mind had to be playing tricks on him. This couldn't be her, not after all this time? But, he knew her voice. He knew her warm, brown eyes. "Hermione," he whispered, almost inaudibly. He watched as she went through the rest of the problems with her class. "Okay, okay!" she exclaimed. "Miri is going to lead you out to recess. We're going to practise our reading when you get back!" The children interrupted in a cheer and Hermione laughed. "Outside in an orderly fashion, please." Michelle stood up. "Hermione, would you come over here, please?" "Sure," Hermione replied, setting aside some papers. The students filed out of the classroom and Harry slowly stood up as Hermione made her way to toward them. "I'd like you to meet Harry Potter," Michelle introduced. "He's our newest sponsor." Harry's eyes locked on hers. "Hermione..." 3. Apologize ------------ **A/N: Here you see what’s been going on with Hermione, as well as her seeing Harry for the first time since that night. Be sure and stick around tomorrow for the second and final half of our Christmas ficlet!** **Apologize – Timbaland** **I'm holding on your rope Got me ten feet off the ground And I'm hearing what you say But I just can't make a sound You tell me that you need me Then you go and cut me down But wait... You tell me that you're sorry Didn't think I'd turn around and say.. That it's too late to apologize, it's too late I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late I'd take another chance, take a fall, take a shot for you And I need you like a heart needs a beat (But that's nothing new) Yeah yeah I loved you with a fire red, now it's turning blue And you say Sorry like the Angel Heaven let me think was you, But I'm afraid It's too late to apologize, it's too late I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late** Her jaw fell and she stared at him for a long moment. "It's nice to meet you," Harry said extending his hand. "You... you as well." Hermione managed. "Mr. Potter is going to be with us for quite some time," Michelle told Hermione. "I was just showing him to Dr. McGraw's office when I thought it would be nice for him to watch you in action." "I see," Hermione said, her voice high. "Um... I really don't think it would be wise to have him in here when the children return. They're easily distractible." "Actually, I was wondering if you could show him to Dr. McGraw's office?" Michelle asked. "I just remembered I didn't have anyone cover the desk for me..." "I... uh... I suppose I could," Hermione said lamely. "Thank you," Michelle said gratefully. "It was nice to meet you, Mr. Potter." "You too," Harry nodded. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon." Harry slowly turned around to look at Hermione. "I can't believe---," he started to say. "How the HELL did you find me?" she asked harshly. "Hermione," Harry said holding his hand up. "I never in a million years thought I'd find you here. I just thought that---" "I don't know what you're trying to play at," Hermione's voice shook. "But you can just stop it and leave right now. I want nothing to do with you!" Harry had envisioned a hundred different scenarios of how it would be when he saw Hermione again. This was going entirely wrong. "I'm not playing at anything. I run a foundation that funds programs around the world. I heard about your school and here I am. I had no idea that you'd be here." Hermione shook her head. "I'll show you to Dr. McGraw's office." "Wait," Harry said reaching for her hand. He noticed the ring and he suddenly remembered that Michelle had called her Mrs. Conaghan. "You're...you're married." "Yes I am," Hermione said shortly. "For almost nine years now." Harry felt like he'd been kicked in the stomach. "Oh." Hermione turned to leave when a little brown haired girl hurtled into the room. "Mummy!" Harry felt like he'd been punched for a second time as Hermione scooped the little girl into her arms. "Isabella Conaghan, you're supposed to be on the playground," Hermione said smiling at the little girl. "But I wanted to show you my picture," Bella said. "I would love to see your picture," Hermione said setting her down. The little girl looked warily up at Harry. "Who are you?" "I'm... I'm a friend of your mum's," Harry said. She looked so much like Hermione that it was disconcerting. She studied him for a few moments. "My name's Bella. Holy cricket! That's a cool scar!" "Oh..." Harry remembered that he no longer wore his hair longer to hide his scar- he'd grown so accustomed to it. "Thanks..." "Do you want to see my picture, too?" Bella asked him. "I'd love to," Harry replied. Bella beamed at him. "Here!" She had drawn a picture of an elephant's body with the head of a dragon. "Wow," Harry said. "That's incredible!" "You really, really like it?" she asked him. "I think it's smashing," Harry told her. Bella turned around to look at her mother. "I like him, Mummy!" Hermione smiled faintly. "Sweetheart, you need to be outside, okay?" "I want to stay with you," Bella pouted. "Please?" "I have to show Mr. Potter around," Hermione explained. "But, Mummy," Bella argued. "I'll see you after school," Hermione said, her tone leaving no room for a strop. Bella turned around to look up at Harry. "It was very nice to meet you, Mr. Potter." "You too, Bella," Harry crouched down again and put out his hand. Bella giggled and shook his hand. "Bye." Harry straightened back up and looked at Hermione, but she was glaring at him. "What?" "I would really like it if you'd just go," Hermione said trying very hard to keep her emotions in check. "I can't," Harry told her. "I told you, I'm sponsoring this orphanage and school. I bring funding in to get places that are struggling back on their feet. I also counsel orphans." "He told you, didn't he?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "I can't believe this. I ask him to do one little thing for me..." "Who told me?" Harry asked, confused. "What are you talking about?" "Don't play innocent with me," Hermione retorted. "I have no idea what you're talking about," Harry said. "Right," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "Come on. Dr. McGraw is waiting." "Hermione--" Harry said. "What... why?" "Neville," Hermione rounded on him. "He told you where I was and here you are---" "Neville?" Harry asked, dumbfounded. "Neville knows you're here?" It suddenly made sense to him. Neville looking a little nervous as he handed him the files last night. The way that Neville had wished him good luck and how he'd said he'd understand if Harry needed to extend his trip. "He's known all along where you were," he said, staring at her. Hermione stared back at him. He looked genuinely gob smacked to see her. "Yes." "The whole time?" he asked in disbelief. "Yes," Hermione said quietly. A sudden fury at his friend washed over Harry and he slammed his fist against a desk. Some friend Neville was, Harry thought bitterly. Neville knew that Harry had been looking for Hermione and he'd never let on that he knew where she was. When he looked back at Hermione he was surprised to see she was shaking. "What's wrong?" "You startled me is all," Hermione replied. "When you banged your fist on the desk. I wasn't expecting it..." "Oh," Harry said. "Sorry..." Hermione nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She was just as beautiful as he remembered. Harry longed to hold her in his arms. "I'll take you to Dr. McGraw," she pushed past him. He grabbed her arm and she yelped. "Hermione?" Harry asked. "I'm fine," she said quickly. "The office is just this way." Harry dropped his hand. He had so many things he wanted to ask her. Without another word, Hermione led him down a musty smelling corridor. "I'm sorry," Harry said. She didn't say anything. "I missed you," Harry said softly. "Don't," she snapped. She stopped in front of Dr. McGraw's office. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else where I am." "I'm not the only one who was worried about you," Harry told her. "Ron---" Hermione snorted. "I'm sure he was beside himself." "We both were," Harry said looking at her. "You have no idea what it was like." "I'm not getting into this now," Hermione told him. "Dr. McGraw is expecting you." she turned to leave. "I'm not going anywhere," he called after her. Hermione didn't respond in any way, only disappeared around a corner. When she was alone, she leaned against the wall for support. "What is he DOING here?" she whispered. "Hermione?" Michelle asked coming around the corner. She was carrying a bouquet of flowers. "Are you alright?" "Fine," Hermione lied. Michelle held out the bouquet. "These just arrived for you from Dr. Conaghan." "Oh..." Hermione took them. "Thank you." "He's so romantic and thoughtful," Michelle gushed. Hermione forced a smile. "He certainly is. I'll just go put these in water." "Oh," Michelle said leaning in conspiratorially. "What did you make of Mr. Potter? Very handsome, I think." "I really didn't pay much attention," Hermione said. "I did," Michelle said winking at her. "I think I'm going to like having him around." "I've got to get these in water," Hermione turned away, blinking back tears. "Oh, okay," Michelle said. "I'll see you later." Hermione rushed back to her classroom before the tears could fall down her face. She needed to collect herself, and fast. She couldn't let seeing Harry again do this to her. Her hands were shaking as she reached into the bouquet and pulled out the card. "I'm sorry, my love," the card read. "I hope these can somehow make up for what happened. Love, Damien." She bit her lower lip. This time flowers, last time new clothing, next time probably chocolates. There was always a public way for him to apologise for what happened behind closed doors. Everyone thought he was so perfect and for a long time, Hermione bought into it as well. She crumpled the card in her hand and considered throwing the flowers away as well, but she filled a vase and arranged them, setting the pretty blossoms on her desk. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't get Harry out of her head. What was he doing here after all this time? Hermione wiped at her eyes. She was supposed to show him around the city this afternoon. "Wonderful," she muttered. Alone time with Harry was NOT on her list of priorities. Thankfully, her students were filing back into the classroom. She'd have to think of some way out of this. In Dr. McGraw's office, Harry was barely listening to a word the headmistress was saying. "We welcome anyone who can help with our orphans," Dr. McGraw said. "When the Conaghans arrived, it was a blessing." "How---how long have they been here?" Harry asked. "Seven years," Dr. McGraw smiled. "I remember when little Isabella was born." "What's he like?" Harry asked. "This Dr. Conaghan?" "He's a wonderful man," Dr. McGraw said. "He's intelligent, the children adore him, and he's an amazing father and husband." "That's just great," Harry muttered under his breath. "I beg your pardon?" Dr. McGraw asked. "I said that was great," Harry said forcing a smile. He hadn't expected Hermione to be married, let alone to someone who seemingly could do no wrong. Dr. McGraw smiled. "Well Mrs. Conaghan has agreed to show you around this afternoon after school is out, so for now I'll show you the office we've fixed up for you." "Thank you," Harry said. "It's not much, but we don't really have room to spare," Dr. McGraw explained. "I'm sure it's fine," Harry told her. "Here we are," she opened a door. Harry looked at the room which was about the size of his closet back home. There was one small desk, papers, a desk lamp and a couple of pencils. "It's nice," he nodded. "Thank you." "You're quite welcome," Dr. McGraw replied. "Like I said, it's not much. But, you'll be right next door to Mrs. Conaghan's classroom." Harry hadn't realised where they were. "Great," he nodded. "I can't tell you how happy I am that you're here," Dr. McGraw said. "I'm glad I can be of help," Harry said sincerely. "I'll leave you to look over some more of the paperwork," Dr. McGraw told him. "Mrs. Conaghan will meet with you after her classes." "Thank you again," Harry shook the older woman's hand. "I appreciate the tour." Harry waited until he was alone before he reached for his mobile phone. He dialled Neville's number. "Hallo?" Neville's voice came over the line. "Neville," Harry said tersely. "Harry!" Neville said. "I... didn't expect to hear from you so soon!" "Oh really?" Harry asked sarcastically. "You didn't think you'd hear from me after I met Mrs. Conaghan? "I didn't think you'd go if I told you," Neville tried to explain. "You knew all this time," Harry said angrily. "You knew where she was. You knew how long I've been looking for her and yet, you didn't say anything." "She told me not to," Neville replied. "It came close to a wizard's oath, Harry." "What are you playing at?" Harry asked him. "Sending me here..." "I always told you I was sure she was okay," Neville told him. "I never lied. But I just... I thought it was time." "If you'd spoken up sooner, I might have been able to stop her from marrying that bloke," Harry said in frustration. "I'm sorry," Neville said quietly. "Have you met him?" Harry asked. "No," Neville said. "I haven't even seen her since the night she left Hogwarts. Just hear from her every so often." "She has a daughter," Harry said. "I met her." "Bella," Neville said. "She looks just like Hermione," Harry said softly. "Does she?" Neville asked. "I've never seen her either." "Yeah," Harry said quietly. "Merlin, Neville. I don't know if I can do this." "Yes you can," Neville said. "She was your best friend for seven years. You know her better than anyone." "She hates me," Harry said. "I know you can get through to her," Neville said. "I don't know," Harry said. "I--I have to go." "Keep in touch with me," Neville told him. Harry hung up the phone and put his head in his hands. This wasn't going to be easy. Chances were Hermione would try and find some way out of it. He sighed and pulled out the boxes he'd had sent ahead, unpacking his things. Neville had said that he knew Hermione better than anyone. That had been the case 10 years ago, but he knew nothing of her now. Trying to set his mind to something else, he started reading through the files of the students. He didn't need any other surprises. Some of the stories were truly heartbreaking and Harry's heart went out to these children. He remembered all too well what it felt like growing up neglected. Out of the last year, only two of the school's children had made it out of the orphanage and were placed into permanent homes. There had to be some way to change that. But, in the meantime, Harry wanted to make sure that these children were given every opportunity to succeed. He hadn't realised how much time had passed while he read the files and was surprised when he heard a knock on his door. He turned to see Hermione watching him. "Hey," Harry said quietly. "Hi," she said. "I'm supposed to give you a tour of Johannesburg." "Couldn't get someone else to do it, eh?" Harry asked. She glared at him. "I offered to do it, so I'm doing it." "Fine," Harry said closing his files. She silently waited for him in the hall, then led him back outside. "Where's Bella?" Harry asked conversationally. "Home," Hermione answered. "With the good doctor?" Harry asked, trying unsuccessfully to keep the sarcasm out of his voice. "What does it matter?" Hermione snapped. "You're right," Harry retorted. "It's none of my business." "Good," she said, walking ahead of him. "I spoke with Neville," Harry told her after a long silence. "So did I," Hermione answered evenly. "Give him a piece of your mind?" Harry asked. "You could say that," she said. Despite himself, Harry smiled. He remembered all too well what it was like to be on the receiving end of Hermione's bad side. "He wasn't very happy when we hung up," Hermione revealed. "He obviously thought that we needed to see each other again," Harry commented. "I can't imagine why," Hermione said. "We have nothing to say to one another." "That's not true and you know it," Harry said quickening his step to catch up with her. "Yes it is," she said coolly. "So, over the last ten years, you haven't thought about me?" Harry asked her. "Of course not," she lied. "You've never been a good liar," Harry said looking at her. Hermione didn't answer. "Let's get going." she said brusquely. "You're the guide," Harry said. "Lead the way." Hermione led him over to a couple of beat up mopeds. "These aren't fancy but they'll get us around town." "You're just lucky I didn't bring my broom," Harry joked. She didn't laugh- she didn't even crack a smile. "You'll never believe who's also a teacher," Harry said trying to go another route. "I don't really care," she said. Harry sighed. "O-kay." "Let's go," Hermione said. The sooner they got this done, the sooner she could distance herself from Harry again. Harry started his moped and he followed Hermione. "Where are we going exactly?" he asked her. "Just around," she called back. "The weather's fantastic here," Harry shouted to her. "If you like the sun..." "It only rains a few inches a year," she called matter of factly. "So you like it here?" Harry asked. "It's fine!" she shouted. "You need to concentrate on driving!" This was going to be a long day, Harry thought as he followed her down the street. For the next hour, she led him around their part of Johannesburg, pointing out a few places of interest. She brushed off his every attempt to ask about her life or to give her details about people she used to know. Hermione was glad she'd managed to dodge his questions as they arrived back at the orphanage and school. "Thank you for the tour," Harry said quietly. Hermione gave a quick nod. "I've got to get home." "Hermione?" Harry asked despite how cold she'd been, he wasn't ready to let her go. "I wanted to take you to dinner." "No thank you," she said. "Please?" Harry asked, giving her his most charming smile. "I don't think that's wise," Hermione replied, looking away. "Surely your husband couldn't object to you catching up with an old friend?" Harry asked. "I'll have to ask," Hermione relented. Harry grinned. "Fantastic. When I checked in at the hotel, the woman at the front desk couldn't stop raving about the hotel restaurant." "Not tonight," Hermione said quickly. "Damian wants me home as soon as possible." "Oh," Harry said. "Well, how about breakfast tomorrow before school? You can even bring Bella." "Only if Damian says it's okay," Hermione replied. Harry raised an eyebrow. Since when did Hermione dictate someone else telling her what to do or who to see? "I have to go," Hermione realised she'd said too much. "Hermione?" Harry asked. "I'll... find out about dinner and see you tomorrow," she said quickly, walking away. "Goodbye," Harry said quietly. Hermione hurried over to her car and got in, heading directly home. She was later than she'd planned and hoped her husband wouldn't be angry. Bella was playing in the sitting room and she ran to her mother. "Mummy!" "Hi baby," Hermione scooped her up. Bella hugged her. "Tilly's making chicken for dinner." "That sounds delicious," Hermione gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek. Bella was the brightest spot in her life and there was nothing she wouldn't do for her daughter. "Hermione?" Damian called. "I'll be right in," she replied. Hermione set Bella back down. "Why don't you go and get ready for dinner, baby?" "Okay," Bella said, running to her room. Hermione took a deep breath before she walked into her husband's home office. He was sitting behind the desk, looking every bit the handsome and charming man he portrayed himself to be. His brown hair was styled to within an inch of its life. He looked up from his paperwork. "Did you get my flowers?" "I did," she nodded. "They were beautiful." "I'm sorry about last night," he said standing up from his chair. "You just---you make me so angry sometimes." "I don't mean to," Hermione said quietly. Damian put his arms around her. "I love you, Hermione." "I love you too," Hermione rested against him. "You do?" Damian asked. "Of course I do," she forced a smile and looked up at him. "Bella told me you had a visitor at the school," Damian said. "It's the new counsellor," Hermione said. "And donor." "Bella said he was an old friend of yours," Damian said. "Not really," Hermione lied. "Then who is he?" Damian asked. "Just someone I used to know," Hermione said. "It's no big deal." "Good," Damian said looking down at his wife. "Because you know I'd hate to find out it was more than that, Hermione." "It's not," Hermione said. "Really." Damian leaned in and kissed her. "That's what I like to hear." Hermione closed her eyes and resisted the urge to pull away. "I have some bad news," Damian said. "I've been called to Madagascar to consult on a case. I leave tomorrow morning." "Oh no," Hermione feigned disappointment. "For how long?" "A week," Damian replied. "I'll be back next Thursday if all goes well." "I hope so," Hermione said. "I really should go get cleaned up for dinner." "I thought we agreed you should wear your hair up," Damian said. "You look a little windblown, sweetheart." "Sorry," Hermione tugged at her long strands. "We were on the mopeds." "I just like it better up," Damian said grinning at her. "Shows off that lovely neck of yours." "Of course," Hermione said. "I'll put it up for dinner." "That's my girl," Damian said. "I'll be down in a moment," Hermione replied. Hermione walked out of his office and upstairs to her room. She took off the long-sleeved shirt she'd worn and winced when she saw the bruises on her arm. If she was still practising magic, she could have healed them within seconds. But, she didn't even have a wand anymore. She sighed, running her fingers over the reddish purple circles on her skin. Stepping over to the closet, she chose a long sleeved dress to put on. Damian liked them to get dressed up for dinner. Hermione was happy that she'd not have to worry about her husband and his temper for a week. She quickly worked to put her hair up the way he liked it and dabbed on a bit of makeup. "Great," she said looking in the mirror. At least she looked presentable, Hermione thought. All she wanted to do was curl up in bed and read. She just hoped Damian wouldn't be in the mood for anything more tonight. "Mummy!" Bella was at the door. "I'm hungry!" Hermione turned around and smiled at her daughter. "I thought your name was Isabella? All this time, you're telling me your name is 'Hungry'?" Bella giggled. "Isabella's hungry!" Hermione took her hand. "Guess what? It's just going to be you and me the next few days while Daddy's out of town." "Why?" Bella asked. "He has to check on a patient in another city," Hermione explained. "So, you and me get to watch movies and do all the stuff that we love to do together." "YAY!" Bella shouted happily. "Tomorrow morning I was thinking you and I can go out for breakfast before school," Hermione said. "For donuts?" Bella asked hopefully. "Maybe," Hermione said tickling her daughter's side. "I like jelly filled," Bella giggled. "And chocolate crème," Hermione said. "You remind me of---" Damian cleared his throat. "Dinner's waiting," he said, his displeasure obvious. Hermione jumped. "Damian. We were just having a laugh." "I see," he replied. "Come here, Bella," Damian said opening his arms. Bella shook her head and latched herself to Hermione. "Bella!" Damian said sharply. Bella clung tighter to Hermione. "Isabella!" Damien snapped. "Leave her alone, Damian," Hermione said. "She doesn't want to go to you. Let's go and eat." "Be quiet, Hermione." Damian commanded. "Isabella, come here this instant!" "Mummy?" Bella asked looking up at her mother with a look of pure terror. "You better go to him, baby." Hermione whispered. Bella's lower lip trembled as she walked slowly toward her father. "That's a girl," Damian said, picking her up. "I want Mummy," Bella sobbed. "Let me have her, Damian, please." Hermione said. She hated to see her daughter like this and she never knew what sort of mood her husband was in. Damian set Bella down and the little girl hurried back into her mother's arms. "I don't want to deal with this during dinner." "She'll be okay," Hermione said, smoothing back her daughter's unruly hair. "See to it," Damian said stalking out of the room. "Shhh," Hermione comforted her little girl. "Calm down, baby. He didn't hurt you." "He's so scary sometimes," Bella said. "I know," Hermione whispered. "I'm glad he's going away," Bella said before burying her face in Hermione's shoulder. "Let's just go eat, sweetheart." Hermione said, rubbing her back. Damian was sitting at the table when Hermione and Bella walked into the dining room. Bella avoided her father's gaze and moved her chair closer to her mother's. Damian cleared his throat as he took his napkin. "Tell me more about this new counsellor." "There's not much to tell," Hermione said as the cook set a plate before her. "Thank you, Tilly." "You're welcome, Madame," Tilly said quickly. Damian exhaled. "Surely there's something." "He liked my picture," Bella said quietly. "What picture is that?" Damian asked. "The picture I drew in class," Bella said her voice barely above a whisper. "What is it of?" Damian asked impatiently. "It was an elephant with the head of a dragon," Bella replied. Damian shook his head. "Ridiculous. You need to pay attention to more important things. There are no such things as dragons, Isabella." Bella looked at Hermione. She loved the stories her mother would tell her about the brave boy who fought a dragon. "There's nothing wrong with having an imagination," Hermione said to Damian. "Nonsense," Damian scoffed. "This only proves my point that she's not getting the education she deserves. I was looking at boarding schools the other day..." "We can't send her away to a boarding school, Damian," Hermione shook her head. "Not now," Damian said. "But in the next couple of years, we are. Come on, Hermione. We both are the products of boarding school educations. We both turned out fine." "Yes but--" Hermione began. Damian glared at her. "I'll not have my daughter going to school with orphans." "They're my friends, Daddy," Bella said softly. Damian banged his fist on the table, making both his wife and daughter jump. "End of discussion," Damian said pushing back from his chair. "And now you've ruined dinner, Hermione. I'm going to the hospital." "Damian, please." Hermione said. "Don't be like this." Damian ignored her and stalked out of the dining room. A moment later, the front door slammed. "I'm sorry, Mummy," Bella said in a small voice. "Come here love," Hermione said. "It's not your fault. I thought your picture was beautiful." Bella sat in her mother's lap. "Thanks, Mummy." "I love you so much," Hermione kissed the top of her head. "I love you too," Bella said softly. "I don't want to leave my school, Mummy. I love it there." "I know, baby." Hermione said. "I'll talk to Daddy." Bella looked up at her mother. "Really?" "I promise," Hermione said. Bella smiled. "You never break a promise, Mummy." "Not to you," Hermione touched her forehead to her daughter's. The two of them finished their dinner and then Hermione helped her daughter with her homework. "So we'll have breakfast tomorrow with the new counsellor," Hermione said. "Our little secret, okay?" Bella grinned. "Our secret." "Into bed with you then," Hermione tucked her in. "Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?" Bella asked. "And tell me more about Buckbeak?" "Sure," Hermione said, launching into a story that her daughter would most likely never realise was true. 4. Starting All Over Again -------------------------- **Thanks for sticking through this so far- some of you are in disbelief that Hermione could let this happen to her, but this sort of thing changes a woman. Just keep reading!** **Starting All Over Again – Hall and Oates** **Starting all over again is gonna be rough, so rough But were gonna make it Starting all over as friends is gonna be rough, on us But we gotta face it We lost what we had Thats why it hurt so bad It set us back a thousand years Were gonna make it up Though its gonna be rough To erase all the hurt and tears Starting all over again is gonna be hard But I pray that the love will help us make it Starting all over again is gonna be slow But we both know that we can make it** The next morning, Harry awoke feeling a little disoriented. He'd stayed up last night reading over most of the paperwork and hoping that Hermione might call. She obviously didn't want to see him and he guessed he'd have to resign himself to that fact. He showered and changed and went downstairs to grab breakfast before he headed to the school. "Harry!" a little girl's voice called out to him. He turned and to his surprise, saw Hermione and Bella in the lobby. "Hi," Harry said walking over to them. "This is a nice surprise." Bella launched herself at him, which surprised both Harry and Hermione. Harry hugged the little girl. "Was that what I heard upstairs in my room? Your tummy grumbling?" Bella giggled, making Hermione smile. "Yes! And Mummy said maybe we can have donuts!" "Donuts, eh?" Harry asked scooping her up. "I think that can be arranged." "There's a lovely bakery a few streets over." Hermione said. Harry smiled. "I'd like that." "Can I have a piggyback ride?" Bella asked. "Sweetheart, I don't think---" Hermione started to say. "I don't mind," Harry replied. "Yay!" Bella exclaimed as Harry swung her around and put her on his back. "This is just like Buckbeak!" "Buckbeak?" Harry looked at Hermione. "It's just a story that I've been telling her," Hermione said looking at her watch. "We'd getter get a move on." Harry nodded as he shifted Bella onto his back. "So," Harry said to Bella. "What did your mummy say about Buckbeak?" "She said that a boy and girl flew on him to save his life," Bella recited. "I think I've heard that story too," Harry said hiding a smile as Hermione quickened her step. "Did she tell you about how scared the girl was to fly?" "No," Bella replied. Hermione turned around. "She wasn't scared, Harry. She was just---she didn't like it is all." "How do you know?" Harry teased. "Mummy knows EVERYTHING," Bella said. Hermione smiled. "Thanks baby." "Someday, you'll have to ask her to tell you about Dobby," Harry said to Bella. "Who's Dobby?" Bella asked excitedly. "I'll tell you tonight," Hermione promised. They arrived at the bakery and Harry took a deep breath. "That smells wonderful," he said. "Told you," Bella said happily. "You sure did," Harry tickled her side. Hermione looked sideways at the two of them and felt a pang in her heart. Harry looked over at her. "Are you all right?" Hermione nodded. "I'm fine. Just a little knackered is all." "Daddy left this morning for work," Bella reported. "Oh?" Harry asked looking at Hermione. "He's in Madagascar for the week," Hermione said. Harry was not sorry to hear that. He knew he had no right to feel that way. "Go on baby," Hermione said as Harry set Bella down. "Go pick out what you want. You can have two donuts." Bella walked over to the counter. "I'm really glad that you came," Harry said smiling at Hermione. "I didn't think you would." "Yes well... Bella really made the choice," Hermione said quietly. "Either way, I'm glad that you're here," Harry said looking at her. "Um, what do you recommend?" "Try the croissants with eggs and cheese," Hermione said. "That sounds good," Harry said. He reached for his wallet. "Breakfast is on me." "No--" Hermione began to protest. "I was the one who asked you to breakfast," Harry reminded her. "I know but it doesn't mean you have to pay for us," Hermione argued. "I want to," Harry said. "What would you like?" "Can I have a jelly filled donut?" Bella asked the clerk. "And a really big chocolate one?" "Sure," Harry replied. "Whatever you want." Hermione placed her order and then she and Harry sat down with some coffee while Bella happily dug into her donuts. "So," Harry said unsure of what to say. Hermione didn't want to get into any sort of deep discussion in front of her daughter. "What are your plans for today?" she asked. "I have another meeting with Dr. McGraw," Harry said. "She wants to talk about computers." "Computers?" Hermione's ears perked. "You're bringing in computers?" Harry nodded. "For a start." She stared at him, her jaw slack. "What?" Harry asked. "No one's ever even thought to bring in computers for these children," Hermione said. "No one's ever tried to counsel them..." "I want to do whatever I can to help," Harry said. "These children deserve a chance." Hermione bit her lower lip and nodded. "I've tried to help where I can." "I know," Harry said. "I read your file last night." Their food was brought over to the table and Hermione was spared from replying. When reaching for her plate, her sleeve pulled back and Harry saw the bruises on her arm. "Hermione?" Harry asked reaching for her arm. "What happened here?" Hermione snatched her arm back. "Nothing." "Your arm is bruised," Harry said concern etched across his face. "So?" she asked. "How'd it happen?" Harry asked. "Who knows?" Hermione asked. "I'm so clumsy..." Hermione was the least clumsy person he knew. But, if she wasn't going to tell him, he wouldn't push it. "You said yesterday that someone was teaching at Hogwarts that I wouldn't believe," Hermione changed the subject. "What's Hogwarts?" Bella asked. "It's a school in Scotland," Harry told Bella. "That's a funny name," Bella said. "If you think that's funny," Harry said leaning in and making a goofy face at Bella. "What do you think about this name...Ronald Weasley?" Bella collapsed in a fit of giggles. Hermione choked on her coffee. "Ron? Ron Weasley is a professor at Hogwarts?" "Fly--" Harry began but Hermione started coughing violently. "Bella," she wheezed. "Go ask for a glass of water, please." "Okay," Bella said sliding off of her chair and walking to the counter. "She doesn't know anything about magic, does she?" Harry asked. "No," Hermione said. "Nothing but the stories I've told her- and she thinks they're made up." "And I take it your husband's a Muggle?" Harry asked. "Yes," Hermione replied tightly. "He is." "How'd you meet him?" Harry asked, not really sure he wanted to know. "We've known each other for years," Hermione said. "And when I... came home... we got together." "You never mentioned him to us before," Harry said thoughtfully. "Ron and me, I mean." Hermione only shrugged. Bella came back with a glass of water for her mother. "Here, Mummy." "Thanks baby," Hermione said. Bella sat back down and looked at Harry. "Do you have a little girl or a little boy?" "I don't have any children," Harry told her. "I'm not married." Bella giggled. "Do you have a girlfriend?" Harry shook his head. Hermione took a bite of her croissant. She did not want to give the impression that she cared about his personal life. Thankfully, Bella was asking the questions she had wanted to ask. "Do you have a crush on anyone?" Bella inquired. Harry chuckled. "What do you know about crushes, Isabella Conaghan?" "Nothing," Bella turned red. "Uh-huh," Harry teased. Hermione smiled slightly. "Come on, Bella. You can tell him about Billy." "Mummy!" Bella exclaimed. "Billy, eh?" Harry asked. "I'm meeting with a Billy later today..." "He's Bella's best friend," Hermione told Harry. "Good to know," Harry winked at the little girl. Bella grinned before taking a bite of her donut. Glad to have diverted Harry's attention from the bruises on her arm and the topic of magic, Hermione told him things about some of the other teachers and caretakers at the orphanage. Bella chimed in occasionally with her own comments, especially when Hermione started talking about her teacher, Mrs. Morando. "She's really, really nice." Bella said. "It's a small staff," Hermione told him. "But we work together and help out wherever and whenever we can." "Sounds like a good team to be part of." Harry nodded. "It is," Hermione agreed. He wanted to say especially since she was there, but held his tongue. "Well..." he began instead. "We should get going or we'll be late." "Right," Hermione said gathering up their trash. "Thank you for breakfast, Harry." "I'm glad you both came." Harry said. "Thanks, Harry," Bella said beaming at him. "You're very welcome, Miss Bella." Harry grinned at her. Hermione grabbed Bella's backpack. "So, um, Ron's really a professor?" "Sure is," Harry said. "And dating Luna Lovegood." "Really?" Hermione asked shaking her head. "Wow..." "They seem really happy together," Harry said. The three of them headed out of the bakery. "She always did fancy him," Hermione commented. "How do you know, Mummy?" Bella asked. "I was at school with them," Hermione told her. "And I could tell by the way Luna acted around Ron." "Oh," Bella nodded. "What about Ginny?" Hermione asked. Harry shrugged and shook his head. There was no sense in going into that now. Bella reached for Harry's hand. "How long are you going to be here?" "As long as I need to be," Harry told her. Bella smiled. "I'm glad." "Me too," Harry smiled at her. Hermione stole a glance at Harry. How did he do this? Bella didn't even know him and already she was completely charmed by him. "Maybe you can come for dinner," Bella chattered. "Tilly's the bestest cook EVER!" "Harry's going to be very busy, sweetheart," Hermione said. "I imagine I can make time for dinner," Harry said wryly. Hermione thought about this for a few moments. If Daman found out, there would be hell to pay. "Just let me know," Harry told her. "I will," Hermione said as the approached the school. Bella caught sight of Billy and she ran toward her friend. "Maybe we can talk more later," Harry said. "I'd like to catch up, Hermione." "I don't think that's such a good idea, Harry," Hermione said looking down at the ground. "Why?" he pressed. "Hermione... why can't we try to get back our friendship? You just left and--" "I didn't just leave," Hermione said feeling tears well up in her eyes. "You left ME first." "I never got to tell you about that," Harry said. "Can I at least have the chance to try and explain?" "It's water under the bridge,” Hermione said quietly. "What would it change?" "I don't know," Harry said. "But I've missed you." She had missed him, too. But, him being here complicated things. If Damian found out, she could lose everything. "I'm not the person I was back then," Hermione told him. "Please," Harry gazed at her. "Tonight," Hermione said. "You can come over for dinner tonight." "Yeah?" Harry's face brightened. "Yeah," Hermione said softly. "Fantastic," Harry said. "Tonight... we can really talk." Hermione forced a smile. "I'll talk to you later," Harry said. "I've got my meeting with Dr. McGraw." Hermione nodded. "You can go home with Bella and me at the end of the day." "I can't wait," Harry sent her a grin. "See you later." "See you," Hermione said hurrying away from him before she could change her mind. Harry watched her go and felt like he'd finally started to get through to her. "Things might work out after all," he said to himself. He reached for his phone. There was one thing he needed and he knew just who to contact. He dialled the number. "Nev?" "Hi," Neville said warily. Harry sighed. "I'm not going to chew you out. You had your reasons for keeping quiet." "I know," Neville said. "I got another earful from Hermione. My ears are still ringing from it." "Things are actually looking up," Harry said telling Neville about breakfast. "That's good," Neville said. "I'm glad you two are talking." "Me too," Harry said. "I need a favour, Nev." "What's that?" Neville asked. "I need you to find out everything you can on a Dr. Damian Conaghan," Harry told him. "Hermione's husband?" Neville asked. "Why?" "I don't have time to get into it," Harry replied. "Just let me know what you find out." "O-kay." Neville said. "Anything else?" "No," Harry answered. "Thanks, Neville." "I'll be in touch, then." Neville said. "Thanks mate," Harry said. He stuffed his mobile into his pocket and headed upstairs. Dr. McGraw was waiting for him. "Good morning, Mr. Potter." "Morning," Harry replied. "Lovely day." "Yes it is," Dr. McGraw said. "I trust you had a good evening?" "I did, thank you." Harry sat down. "I had some ideas on what to do with the computers I'd like to bring in." "Oh?" Dr. McGraw asked. Harry handed her the notes he'd written down along with a chart detailing the programs the children would be able to learn. "This is amazing, Mr. Potter," the headmistress said. "Thanks," Harry said. "Being an orphan myself, I thought about the things I wanted to talk about when I was younger, along with the things I wanted to play and learn." Dr. McGraw smiled. "Mr. Potter, I don't even know where to begin to thank you." "Just doing my job," he smiled. "You're just what we needed is what you are," Dr. McGraw said. "I've pursued funding for years, but everyone's turned us down." "I guess this is just a case close to my own heart," Harry replied. "I really want to help as much as I can." "The children are going to benefit from hearing your story," Dr. McGraw said thoughtfully. "They're going to see that with hard work and a good education, they can make something of their lives." "That's my goal," Harry nodded. "I was also thinking we could expand the library," Dr. McGraw told him. "All of our books are second hand." "I'll be happy to work on funding, but I think Mrs. Conaghan would enjoy a project like that." Harry said. "I've spoken with her a few times and she told me she enjoys reading." "Very much so," Dr. McGraw said. "In fact, it would be a project the two of you could collaborate on. She has some wonderful ideas. Dr. Conaghan was going to make a donation, but he changed his mind at the last minute." "Really?" Harry asked. Dr. McGraw nodded. "Mrs. Conaghan was very apologetic. Apparently the good doctor sets aside money each year for a charity and he decided to fund another one this year." "I see," Harry nodded. "Well... I'll have to talk to her and see how much she'd like to bring in." "Fantastic," Dr. McGraw said. "Now, I was thinking I could show you the library now and then let you speak with one of the classes." "Great," Harry nodded. Harry and Dr. McGraw talked more about Harry's plans as they headed toward the library. She opened up the door and Harry frowned. This was a library? There were two tables and three shelves of books. "I know," Dr. McGraw said. "It's tiny." "And the books you have---?" Harry asked. "Came from Mrs. Conaghan's personal collection, mostly," Dr McGraw told him. "I see," Harry stepped in to browse the titles. "We don't even have a proper librarian," Dr. McGraw told him. "Michelle fills in when she can." "Maybe we can work on changing that too," Harry told her. "It's not really in our budget," Dr. McGraw said regretfully. "It could be," Harry replied. The headmistress grinned at him. "Mr. Potter, you really are going above and beyond." "Like I said, I have a personal interest," Harry said. "If only more people were as generous with their time and money as you, we'd be the best school in South Africa," Dr. McGraw said. "We just could be," Harry grinned. "I certainly hope to do my part." "Have you ever thought of a career in teaching?" Dr. McGraw asked him. "It's crossed my mind," Harry said. "You should," Dr. McGraw said. "I enjoy the counselling," Harry said. "But perhaps down the line, teaching will come into play." Dr. McGraw stopped in front of a set of doors. "This is Mrs. Morando's classroom." "Bella's class," Harry recalled. Dr. McGraw nodded and held open the door. Mrs. Morando stopped teaching and smiled at them. Bella waved excitedly from her seat. Harry grinned at her. "Class," Mrs. Morando said. "We have a special guest visiting us today. This is Harry Potter and he's come a long way to see all of you." "Good morning," Harry greeted them. "Good morning," the class echoed. "At some point in the near future, I'll be speaking with all of you," Harry said. "Just a casual get to know you type of thing." "Bella said you were an orphan too," a brown-haired boy said. From the way Bella was looking at him, the boy had to be Billy, Harry thought. "That's right," Harry said. "So if you have questions for me, I'll be happy to answer what I can." Nearly every hand in the classroom shot up in the air. Harry laughed. "Okay, how about you?" "What did you do when you thought about your parents?" a girl near the back asked. "I was only a year old when they died," Harry told them. "What I knew of them, I heard from other people. When I think about them, I think about the type of people they were and I hope that I can be the type of son that they would have been proud of." "Who did you live with then?" a boy near the window asked. "I lived with my aunt and uncle," Harry said. "But they already had a child of their own and I felt like a burden most of the time." "You never had to live in an orphanage?" Billy asked. Harry shook his head. "No." "Then you don't really know what this is like," Billy looked back at him. "I know more than you think," Harry said kneeling in front of Billy's desk. "You have people here who care about you and who want you to feel safe and happy. I never had that growing up with my aunt and uncle." "I guess," Billy replied. "When I was 11 years old, I was able to go to a school where I found all of that," Harry told them. "I had friends for the first time in my life. They became my family." "That's cool," the girl from the back said. Bella hesitantly raised her hand. "Yes, Bella?" Harry asked. "Your uncle was really mean?" Bella asked. "Yes," he nodded. "Did he ever hit you?" Bella asked quietly. "Why do you ask?" Harry's eyebrows knit together. Bella shrugged. "I was curious." "He really wasn't the nicest person," Harry said carefully. "But... he never hit me." "Oh," Bella said looking down at her desk. Harry wanted to ask her more but knew it wasn't the time. Harry took a few more questions from the students. "Mr. Potter will be calling you in one by one to talk with you this week," Dr. McGraw said. "We hope you'll be open and honest. He's here to help." "I'll see you lot around," Harry promised. A chorus of goodbyes rose from the children and Harry's eyes met Billy's. He saw some anger in the young boy's face and wondered if he'd be able to get through to him. "That went well," Dr. McGraw commented when they left the classroom. "Better than I thought," Harry said. "They'll open up a lot more when you're with them one on one," Dr. McGraw said. "I hope so," Harry said. "Especially Billy-- seems like he's holding back." "His mother abandoned him when he was a baby," Dr. McGraw said. "He's grown up in an orphanage." "So he's not necessarily an orphan," Harry replied thoughtfully. "I think he holds out hope that one day his mother will come back for him," Dr. McGraw said. "When his father died, she wasn't able to cope." "I see," Harry nodded. "I'll take a bit of extra time with him.” "That's what he needs," Dr. McGraw said. "I should start getting all those files sorted," Harry replied. "I'll also have the computers shipped in by the end of the week." "Thank you, Mr. Potter," Dr. McGraw said. "If you need me, you know where I am." "Thank you," Harry smiled at her. On his way back to his office, he thought about Bella's question and about the bruises on Hermione's arm. He wondered exactly what Neville would be able to dig up, and just how GOOD the good doctor really was. 5. I Don't Want To Talk About It -------------------------------- **Here’s another chapter for you guys. Please take a few seconds to let us know what you think!** **I Don’t Want To Talk About It- Rod Stewart** **I can tell by your eyes that you've prob'bly been cryin' forever, and the stars in the sky don't mean nothin' to you, they're a mirror. I don't want to talk about it, how you broke my heart. If I stay here just a little bit longer, If I stay here, won't you listen to my heart, whoa, heart?** Hermione had instructed Tilly to prepare a roast for dinner and also told the cook not to breathe a word to Damian about their dinner guest that night. The less contact Damian knew she had with Harry the better. Bella was excited about their dinner guest and she'd been busy drawing him a picture. "Does this look like Buckbeak, Mummy?" Bella asked holding up the picture for her mother to see. "Yes it does, sweetheart." Hermione said. Bella beamed at her. "I hope Harry likes it." "I'm sure he will," Hermione told her. "Why don't you go wash up? He'll be here any minute." "Okay," Bella said standing up. "Don't show him the picture if he comes, okay? I want to give it to him!" "I won't say a word," Hermione promised. Bella hurried upstairs and Hermione sighed. This was a bad idea and she knew it. If Damian ever heard about this, there would be hell to pay. Hermione trusted Tilly though. She looked at herself in the mirror and knew she'd taken special care in her appearance that night. She wanted him to think she was beautiful. A long time ago, that had been one of her greatest wishes. For her best friend to see her as something more than just a brainy bookworm. "Don't be a fool," she told herself. "This is as good as you're going to get." She wasn't as beautiful as Ginny Weasley or Lavender Brown or the Patil twins. No wonder Harry had never noticed her. "Madame, I have everything ready to serve," Tilly said from the door. "Thank you," Hermione said smiling at her. "Our guest should be here any minute." "I'll get the cocktails ready," Tilly nodded respectfully. The doorbell chimed and Hermione took a deep breath. Harry stood outside, dressed in a nice shirt and tie. He held a small bouquet of flowers in his hand. He was as nervous as a teenager right before his first date. But, Harry reminded himself, this wasn't a date. Hermione was married and if the outside was any indication lived in one of the nicest homes he'd ever seen. A moment later, Hermione opened the door. "Hi," she said softly. "Hi," Harry said, his breath catching his throat. "Come on in," Hermione stepped back. "These are for Bella," Harry held up the flowers. "I hope she'll like them." "She will," Hermione replied. "She loves flowers and those happen to be her favourites." "Great," Harry smiled at her. "You look lovely." Hermione blushed. She was wearing a long-sleeved red wrap-around dress. "Thank you. You look nice, too." Bella came down the stairs. "HARRY!" she squealed happily. Harry grinned and held out the bouquet. "For you..." "Really?" Bella asked, delighted. "Really, really," Harry said handing them to her. "What do you say, love?" Hermione prompted. "Thank you," Bella said. "I'll go and put them in water for you," Hermione said taking the flowers from her daughter. "We'll put them in your room." "Right by my bed, okay Mummy?" Bella asked. Hermione grinned. "Right by your bed. I'll be right back. Why don't you show Harry what you made for him?" "Okay," Bella reached for his hand. Harry smiled down at the little girl. "That's a pretty dress you have on, Bella." Bella giggled. "Mummy got it for me." Harry grinned. "Your mum picked very well." "Here," Bella picked up a piece of paper. "Mummy said it looks just like Buckbeak!" "It does," Harry said taking the paper from her. "Wow, Bella. This is fantastic!" Bella blushed happily. "I'm going to put this up in my office," Harry told her. "You are?" Bella asked. "Absolutely," Harry said. "The walls are completely bare and I think this picture is just what it needs." Bella grinned at him. "I'll draw more if you want me to." "I'd love that," Harry said grinning back at her. Hermione came back downstairs. "Mummy, Harry liked my picture!" Bella exclaimed. "I told you he would," Hermione smiled at her. "Something smells delicious," Harry said. "Tilly made a roast," Hermione said. "So I hope you're hungry." "Starving," Harry replied. He looked around the room. "You have a very nice home, Hermione." Hermione nodded. "Thank you." Harry followed them into the dining room. "I sit here," Bella told him. "And Mummy over there, and when Daddy's home he sits at the end." "Where would you like me to sit?" Harry asked her. "Across from me is fine," Hermione told him. "Sounds good to me," Harry said taking his seat. As soon as Hermione sat down, Tilly began serving their meal. "Tilly, this is Harry," Bella said to the cook. "Monsieur," the cook nodded her head. "It's nice to meet you," Harry said politely. "This looks really great." "Thank you," Tilly said before ducking out of the room. Hermione was staring at Harry and he caught her eye. "Um, Bella said that you spoke to her class today," Hermione said hastily. Harry nodded. "I spoke to several classes today." "Dr. McGraw said that you'd toured the library," Hermione said. Every single time she thought about the library she felt angry. Damian had promised that he'd donate money to improve and expand it, but he'd changed his mind because he said Hermione had been insubordinate. She'd reminded him she wasn't his employee which had ended up with a broken arm for Hermione. Harry nodded. "We've decided to set the computers up there, and I'm also planning on stocking the library with new novels and hiring a full time librarian." Hermione grinned. "Really?" "I was actually hoping you'd like to make a list of the books you think we need." Harry said. "I'd love to," Hermione said. "This is---this is very generous of you, Harry." "It's just a start," Harry replied. "A very important start," Hermione said. "Thank you." Harry nodded and smiled. "I really want to do what I can to make that place a pleasure rather than a burden on people." Hermione looked across the table at him. That was exactly what she'd wanted to do from the moment she'd started teaching there. "Daddy wants to send me away," Bella said quietly. "What?" Harry asked. "Boarding school," Hermione explained. "But nothing's been decided yet." "Sent to boarding school?" Harry asked. "Why?" "He---he thinks she needs a better education," Hermione said quietly. "But---" "I don't want to leave my school!" Bella exclaimed. "Never." "Its okay, Bella." Hermione said. "It's... not going to happen for another few years yet." "He's not going to change his mind," Bella said quietly. "He never does." Harry looked over at Hermione. "You're not going away to boarding school," Hermione said. "Not if I have anything to say about it, sweetheart." Bella didn't look reassured, but returned to her meal. "This is really good," Harry said. "It beats room service, that's for sure." "A home cooked meal always does," Hermione said. "I don't get many of those," Harry admitted. "You can come eat every night," Bella piped up. "Isabella," Hermione said. "You know that Mr. Potter has more important things to do than eat dinner with us." Bella nodded. "I'm sorry Mummy." "It's okay," Hermione reassured her. Harry smiled. "Thank you for the invitation, Miss Bella." Bella grinned. "Anytime." "Why don't you have the opportunity to eat more home-cooked meals?" Hermione asked him. "I'm sure Molly Weasley would be all too happy to cook for you." "Who's Molly Weasley?" Bella asked. "She's our friend Ron's mother," Harry explained. "She has seven children---Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny." "I thought you told Daddy you didn't know him before he came here," Bella was confused and looked at her mother. Harry looked across the table at Hermione. Why would she lie to her husband about him? "Bella," Hermione turned red. "Hermione?" Harry asked. "It's nothing," Hermione took a deep breath and grabbed her glass of wine. "Well," Harry said. "In answer to your question, I don't have many home cooked meals because I've lived out of a suitcase these last few years." He'd gotten Hermione out of this but he would ask her about it when they were alone. "Oh," Bella replied. "I imagine you've seen some great places," Hermione commented. "I've been all over." Harry nodded. "Recently I was in America, on the East Coast." "What were you doing there?" Hermione asked. "Basically the same thing I'm doing here," Harry told her. "Have you ever been to Disney World?" Bella asked. Harry shook his head. "I'm afraid not." Bella frowned. "I've wanted to go there since forever!" "Maybe when Daddy's not so busy, love." Hermione said. Bella did not want to go there with her father. When she thought of going, she thought of it being just her and her mother. "I'm sure you'll get to go someday." Harry said. "I heard its loads of fun." "It is," Bella said, launching into a detailed description of all that she knew about the amusement park. "Wow," Harry grinned. "Certainly sounds like you know everything there is to know!" "She's a reader," Hermione said proudly. Harry wanted to say just like her mother, but held his tongue. "Reading is my most favourite thing to do," Bella said. "Next is drawing and then next is playing checkers with Billy." "Billy," Harry nodded. "He's an interesting young man." "He's the best," Bella said loyally. Hermione smiled. "He certainly looks out for you." Bella grinned. "He does even though I beat him at checkers every single time!" Both Harry and Hermione laughed at that. "That's what friends do," Harry said looking pointedly at Hermione. "They look out for each other." Hermione pressed her lips together. "You and I both know I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for you," Harry said. "You saved my life so many times I've lost count." Hermione knew this conversation was pumping her daughter full of questions. "How about some dessert and coffee?" she asked. "Sure," Harry replied. "Tilly made pecan pie," Bella said. "It's yummy, yummy, yummy." "I take it you like it then?" Harry asked teasingly. "My most favourite." Bella said. Tilly served the coffee and pie and Bella looked at her mother. "Can I bring a piece to Billy tomorrow?" "We'll see," Hermione said. "This is even better than Molly's," Harry said after he'd taken a bite of pie. "But don't tell her I said that." Hermione laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. Besides, I'll never see her, so you have nothing to worry about." "You might," Harry said. "That part of my life is over and done with," Hermione said firmly. "My life is here." "Where did you live before?" Bella asked. "London with your grandparents," Hermione told her. "How come we never see them?" Bella asked. "You don't see your parents?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow. Hermione exhaled. "Bella... once dessert is finished; you should start getting ready for bed." "But, Mummy---" Bella protested. "You were up early," Hermione reminded her. "And it's a school day tomorrow," Harry chimed in. Bella pouted. "How about I promise to tell you a story before you go to bed?" Harry asked her. Bella's face brightened. "YOU know stories?" "Do I know stories?" Harry asked her. "I know a great one about a giant named Grawp." "A giant?" Bella's eyes gleamed. "I love fantasy stories so, so much!" Harry shared a look with Hermione. "Well, go upstairs and change into your pyjamas," Hermione told her. "And brush your teeth. Harry and I will be upstairs in a few minutes, okay?" "Okay Mummy," Bella said, scampering upstairs. "She's so much like you," Harry commented. "I know," Hermione gazed after her daughter. "Your husband wants to send her away to boarding school?" Harry asked. "When she's older," Hermione said. "When she gets her Hogwarts letter you mean," Harry said. "She's not going to Hogwarts." Hermione said firmly. "What if she's magical just like you were?" Harry asked. "Hermione---" "It doesn't matter," Hermione stood up. "Why did you turn your back on it?" Harry asked looking at her. "What difference does it make?" Hermione asked. Harry stood up too and walked around the table to get to her. "It makes all the difference in the world." "Just leave it be, Harry." Hermione looked at him. Harry decided to drop it, for now. "I'm sure Bella will be waiting to hear her story," Hermione said. "Her room is the third on the left." Harry nodded. "And afterwards, you and I are going to talk. Really talk, Hermione." "We'll see," Hermione replied. Harry headed upstairs while Hermione cleared the table. The telephone rang and Hermione walked quickly into the sitting room. She picked up the phone. "Hello?" "Hermione," Damian said coolly. "Damian," Hermione sank into her chair. "How are you?" Damian asked. "Fine," Hermione said. "Just... finishing dinner. I'm about to tuck Bella into bed." "How is our little angel?" Damian asked. "Fine," Hermione replied. "How... how's Madagascar?" "Good so far," Damian replied. "I might have to extend my visit." "For how long?" Hermione asked. "The children here need you." Damian didn't answer for a few moments. "Hermione, I know very well where I am needed. I don't think my medical career is any of your concern. You don't see me telling you how to teach those brats, do you?" "They aren't brats," Hermione said. "I can't believe this," Damian said angrily. "I call to check on my wife and you act like this?" "Damian please don't be like this," Hermione said. "It's your bloody fault, Hermione," Damian shot back. "I'm sorry," Hermione apologised. "I have to go," Damian said. "Hurry home," Hermione said. "As soon as you can." "We'll see," Damian said before abruptly ending the call. Hermione sighed and rubbed at her forehead. She walked upstairs to check on Harry and Bella. Her daughter was in her bed hanging on Harry's every word. "Well," Harry was saying. "The boy and girl were really scared, but Hagrid told them not to be afraid because Grawp was completely harmless." "Was he?" Bella asked. "For the most part," Harry grinned. "He was pretty big." "And he was Hagrid's brother?" Bella asked. "Wow!" "That's right," Harry nodded "Next time I'll tell you about the Giant Squid." "Ooooh," Bella said excitedly. "Thanks, Harry. You tell the best stories!" "Well it helps to have a great listener," Harry told her. Hermione stepped into the room. "Lights out, Bella." "Okay Mummy," Bella said, pulling her covers up. Hermione gave her a kiss. "Sweet dreams, my Bella." "I love you Mummy," Bella said. "I love you too," Hermione said touching her daughter's cheek. "More than anything in this world." Harry waited for Hermione in the hallway. "How about a nightcap?" he asked. "Sure," Hermione replied. "I really do want to talk," Harry said. "I think there's so much we need to say." "Yeah," Hermione said walking ahead of him down the stairs. She was afraid she'd divulge something that he didn't need to know. She'd never tell him about what her life with Damian was really like. "I've been looking for you for ten years," Harry said following her down. Hermione stopped so suddenly that he nearly bumped into her. She turned around. "What?" "I know what I did was wrong," Harry said. "But when you weren't there when we came back..." "Why did you leave me?" Hermione interjected. "I didn't want anything to happen to you," Harry confessed. "Why?" Hermione asked. "You didn't have a problem bringing Ron along. I was just as much involved in this as he was! Damn it, Harry! I could have helped!" "I know," Harry said. "I know." Hermione ran a hand through her hair in frustration. "That night before you left, I knew something was up. I kept waiting for you to tell me. I always thought you could tell me anything---" "I tried," Harry said. "I chickened out." "You could face a dragon, but you couldn't tell me?" Hermione asked folding her arms. "It was complicated," Harry refused to tell her his feelings now that he knew she was married. Hermione rolled her eyes. "You know why don't you try and sell that to Ginny Weasley? She'd buy that, but I'm a little smarter than that, Harry." "I know," Harry said. "That's why I can't get into it now. I just wanted you somewhere safe. I couldn't risk Voldemort using you." "He could have done the same thing to Ron!" Hermione pointed out. "That's why it's complicated," Harry muttered. Hermione groaned in frustration. "You are driving me crazy, Harry!" Harry sighed. There was no way he could tell her exactly why he hadn't wanted her there. "So tell me about Damian." "Let's go in the sitting room," Hermione said. "I'll get us something to drink and we can talk." "Sure," Harry nodded. Hermione hurried into the kitchen, happy to have the chance go get her bearings. He hadn't wanted her there because he'd wanted her safe? There was something more to it than that and he wasn't going to tell her what it was. Nothing made her angrier than not knowing the answers. "Tilly will you please bring us some after dinner drinks in the sitting room?" she asked. "Yes, of course," Tilly replied. "Are you okay, Madame?" "Fine Tilly, thank you." Hermione said. In the sitting room, Harry was looking at the photographs. The happy family, Harry thought sadly. "Drinks will be ready in a moment," Hermione said from behind him. Harry turned around. "Oh. Okay." "So..." she said. "What else have you been up to?" "Working and traveling," Harry said sitting down on the sofa. "Not much else, to tell you the truth." "You and Ginny?" Hermione asked. "You haven't... resumed?" Harry shook his head. "No. She's actually engaged, Hermione. She and Dean Thomas." "Oh," Hermione said. "Good for them." "She's grown up a lot," Harry told her. "That's nice to hear," Hermione replied. Harry looked Hermione. "You used to be friends." "She changed," Hermione said. "You were different around me after she and I got together," Harry remembered. "Because you were weird," Hermione remarked. "You changed around her. It was like nothing else mattered." "I wasn't weird," Harry protested. "I thought she was---I don't know. I saw her differently all of a sudden. I thought she made me happy. But, you know, she was jealous of you." "She was?" Hermione raised an eyebrow. "She was threatened by you," Harry told her. "Because you and I were so close." "I always thought she had you under a love potion, to be honest." Hermione said. Harry looked at her. "She did." "What?" Hermione asked, her jaw dropping. "I found out a few years after we were together," Harry confessed. "I was pretty pissed for awhile." Hermione shook her head in disbelief. She had thought that was the explanation for Harry's sudden interest in Ginny, but she'd never in a million years dreamed that Ginny would have actually gone through with that. "Did you tell anyone? Ron? Mrs. Weasley?" "I told Ron," Harry answered. "I could have made a big deal of it, but why bother? She learned her lesson and it's over with. After everything I've gone through... it just didn't seem to matter in the long run." Hermione did not want to tell him how happy she was that he and Ginny were not together. If she was being honest, she'd thought about that a lot over the years. Despite her anger toward her best friend, she never would have wished that fate upon him. Poor Dean Thomas, Hermione mused. She wondered if he knew what he was getting himself into. "So tell me more about Damian," Harry said. "What do you want to know?" Hermione asked. "Anything you want to tell me," Harry replied. Hermione leaned back on the sofa. "Like I told you before, he and I have known each other for years. Our parents kind of held out hope that one day we'd get together, but I always thought he was far too arrogant." "What made you change your mind?" Harry asked, not sure if he wanted to hear her answer. "My parents sent me away to another boarding school after I left Hogwarts," Hermione told him. "It was near Oxford where he was just beginning his studies. He visited nearly every weekend and made me feel like I was the most important person in the world. He didn't see me like anyone else had." Harry nodded. "I see..." "He swept me off my feet at a time when I was feeling about as low as could possibly be," Hermione said softly. "Because of me," Harry added quietly. "It doesn't matter anymore," Hermione said. "Things worked out like they did for a reason. I can't think about 'what if' and 'if only', Harry." "I guess you're right," Harry gazed at her. Hermione looked back at him. "So, what about you? Has there been anyone special in your life?" Harry shook his head. "No one." "I find that hard to believe," Hermione said before taking a sip of her drink. "There just isn't anyone who's caught my eye," Harry replied. "Or slipped you another love potion," Hermione said dryly. "Very funny," the side of Harry's mouth quirked up. "You know that entire time I just wanted to wipe that smug look off of her face?" Hermione asked. Harry had to laugh. Hermione laughed, too. She never thought she'd be here with him laughing like old friends. It was...nice. Harry took a sip of his drink and looked over at her. "So you're happy?" he asked. Hermione did not answer right away. "Yes," she finally said. "Why wouldn't I be?" "Just making sure," Harry said. "All I want for you is to be happy." "You don't have to worry about me," Hermione said looking at him. "I think I'd always worry," Harry said. "The way you always worried about me when we were in school." "I did, you know," Hermione said softly. "I always did." "Which is why I lived as long as I did." he said. Hermione touched his arm. "You had more to do with that than I did, Harry." "I don't think so," Harry said. "I do," Hermione said. "You're a great wizard, Harry." Harry smiled back at her. "I remember you telling me that same thing before I faced Voldemort for the first time." "That seems like so long ago," Harry said. "You know, if you're worried about dangers in sending Bella to Hogwarts, you don't have to be." Hermione shook her head. "Harry, Damian doesn't know anything about magic. He'd never let Bella go." "Why not?" Harry asked. "He wouldn't understand," Hermione said. "Besides, she might not even be magical, so this is a moot point." "Hermione you were one powerful witch," Harry said. "Bella's got to have inclinations." Hermione fought off tears. "It's not possible, Harry." "How?" Harry pressed. "He wants her to follow in his footsteps," Hermione said looking away. "But if he doesn't know about magic--" Harry argued. "He wouldn't believe it," Hermione told him. "He wouldn't understand." "Is he that closed minded?" Harry asked. Hermione glared at him. There was enough truth in his words though, Hermione thought. A part of her wanted to tell him exactly how her husband was, but she knew if she did, she'd lose everything. "Let's just drop it, okay? Bella's only six. It's not like we'd have to worry about it awhile anyway." "Truth be told, I'm surprised you gave up magic," Harry replied. "I don't even have a wand anymore," Hermione told him. "The last I knew, it was in my parents' attic along with my old school books." "Why?" Harry asked, shaking his head. "You are a brilliant witch." "I closed that chapter of my life when I left Hogwarts, Harry," Hermione said setting her glass aside. "There wasn't any point, was there? I married a Muggle and we moved here." "Lots of wizards and witches marry Muggles and still practise magic," Harry objected. "Why does it matter so much to you?" Hermione asked. "Because I hate to see you let such a gift go to waste," Harry told her. "You sound like Neville," Hermione told him. "He is one of my best mates," Harry shrugged. "I'm glad," Hermione said genuinely. "You and Ron weren't always that nice to him." "I always liked Neville," Harry said. "I know that, but you sometimes treated him like he was a pest," Hermione reminded him. "All he wanted was to be your friend." "You know everyone changes as they get older," Harry said. "What made you keep in touch with him over the years but not the rest of us?" "He never left me, did he?" Hermione asked without thinking. Harry stared at her. "Hermione-" "I'm sorry," Hermione said. "I shouldn't have said that." "We have a lot to say about that night," Harry told her. Hermione nodded. "You know, I actually thought you might have---nothing." "Might have what?" Harry asked. She laughed nervously. She was not going to tell him that she had briefly though that night that he'd come up there to tell her he fancied her, too. "Come on," Harry said. "What's going on in that brilliant mind of yours, Hermione?" "Nothing," Hermione said. "You know, I should really go check on Bella." "Oh," Harry said. "Sure." "I'll be back in a moment," Hermione rushed out of the room. Harry drained the rest of his glass. It was one step forward and two steps back with Hermione. Just when he thought he was making progress, something happened to pull her back. He stood up and walked over to the fireplace again. He picked up the photograph of Hermione on her wedding day. He smiled sadly at the look on her face. She had a radiant smile, but there was something in her eyes that suggested she wasn't completely happy. Damian had his arms wrapped tightly around her waist. "Excuse me," a female voice said from behind him. He turned to see Tilly. "I was wondering if you needed another drink?" Harry shook his head. "No, thanks. Um, Tilly---can I ask you a question?" "Certainly, sir." Tilly replied. "You've worked here for a long time?" Harry asked her. "I came here with the Conaghans," Tilly told him. "From France." Harry had not known that Hermione had lived in France. "And how do you like Dr. Conaghan?" "He takes good care of everyone, sir." Tilly replied. "So you like working for him and Mrs. Conaghan?" Harry asked. He could sense the woman was hiding something. "They pay me well," Tilly nodded. "Dr. Conaghan travels a bit, does he?" Harry asked. "Yes he does," Tilly said. "If you'll excuse me sir, I need to finish my work." "Of course," Harry said. "And thank you for dinner. It was delicious." Tilly nodded respectfully and darted out of the room. Harry could almost see her breathe a sigh of relief and wondered exactly what secrets were being kept in this house. Upstairs, Hermione was checking on Bella and smiled when she saw her daughter’s bedside light was on and she was reading. "I thought you were asleep, miss." "I just wanted to read more about dragons," Bella said wistfully. "I really wish they were real, Mummy." Hermione sat down on the edge of her daughter's bed. "I know you do, sweetheart." "Is Harry still here?" Bella asked. Hermione nodded. "You like him, don't you, baby?" "A lot," Bella nodded. Hermione smiled. "He likes you too." "I wish he was my daddy," Bella said quietly. Hermione looked at her daughter. "You---you hardly know him, love." "But he's so nice," Bella said. "And he likes dragons and unicorns and things. Just like me." "He does," Hermione agreed. "But, he's not your daddy. Your daddy loves you very much." Bella only closed her book. "I think I'll go to sleep now Mummy." "Good idea," Hermione said hugging her tightly. "I love you, sweetheart." "I love you too," Bella buried her face in Hermione's shoulder a moment. "I know it doesn't always seem like he does," Hermione said. "But he does love us. In his own way..." Bella didn't say anything. She was just glad to have her mother to herself for a week. Hermione pulled away and grinned at her daughter. "You know what I was thinking?" "What?" Bella asked. "Tomorrow, after school," Hermione said. "You and I could go for a swim." "We can?" Bella brightened up. Hermione nodded. "We haven't done that in ages, have we?" "Nope," Bella said. "I can't wait!" "Me either," Hermione replied, thinking at the last minute about the bruises on her arm. Bella snuggled down under her covers. "Good night, Mummy." "Good night, my sweet girl," Hermione said giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Sweet dreams." "Good night," Bella grinned at her. 6. Electric Feel ---------------- **Electric Feel - MGMT** **All along the western front** **People line up to receive** **She got the current in her hand** **Just shock you like you won't believe** **Sun in the Amazon** **With the voltage running through her skin** **Standing there with nothing on** **She gonna teach me how to swim** **I said ooh girl** **Shock me like an electric eel** **Baby girl** **Turn me on with your electric feel** **I said ooh girl** **Shock me like an electric eel** **Baby girl** **Turn me on with your electric feel** Hermione turned out the lamp and left the door ajar. She gave her daughter one last look before she headed back downstairs. "Everything all right?" Harry asked. Hermione nodded. "She was reading...about dragons." Harry smiled. "She sure does like magic, doesn't she?" "She also likes you," Hermione told him. "Very much so." "She's a wonderful little girl," Harry said truthfully. "Reminds me of you." Hermione smiled. "She's not as bossy as I was." "There's a relief," Harry joked. "Very funny," Hermione said punching him on the arm playfully. Harry smiled at her. "For a minute here, it really feels like nothing's changed." "Things have though," Hermione said quietly. "We're not the same people we were, Harry." "But we don't have to be enemies," Harry told her. "We can't be friends," Hermione said. "Damian wouldn't like it." "Why wouldn't he?" Harry asked. "He doesn't even know me." Hermione looked away. "Tell me what's going on," Harry said intently. "It's nothing," Hermione said. "I just---you wouldn't be here right now if he wasn't out of town." "Why?" Harry asked, dumbfounded. "He's a very private person," Hermione hedged. "So?" Harry asked. Hermione turned to look at him. "I probably shouldn't have invited you here to begin with. It would be best if---" "What's he done to you?" Harry asked. "He hasn't done anything," Hermione lied. "He's my husband." "You're afraid of him," Harry stated. "Afraid of him?" Hermione asked. "Harry---" "You are," Harry nodded. Hermione glared at him. "How dare you come in here and make observations about something you know absolutely nothing about!" "Because I know you," Harry said. "You know nothing," Hermione retorted. Harry shook his head. "If he's hurting you--" Hermione looked into his concerned eyes and wanted to tell him. "I can help you," Harry reached for her. Hermione didn't resist and he put his arms around her and held her. "I can get you away from here," Harry said, letting his feelings overcome him. Hermione sighed. He couldn't help her. No one could. "You don't have to worry. Damian and I are just going through a rough patch." Harry looked at her. "That’s all?" Hermione nodded. "He's---he's very busy and it's an issue sometimes." Harry looked as if he didn’t' believe her. "You know you can tell me anything, right?" Harry asked her. "I know," she said, not looking at him. "I would do anything for you," Harry said softly. "No matter what. If you're afraid of him, tell me now, and I can help you..." "I'm fine," Hermione pulled from his grasp. "Okay," Harry said walking over to the desk in the corner and grabbing a pen and paper. He scribbled down his room number and mobile number. "You can reach me anytime." "Fine," Hermione said. Harry handed her the piece of paper. "I guess I should go." "I'll see you at the school tomorrow." he said. "Harry?" Hermione asked looking down at the slip of paper. "Yeah?" he asked. "I'm taking Bella swimming tomorrow," Hermione told him. "I was wondering if..." "Swimming?" Harry asked. Hermione nodded. "She loves the water." "If you're asking me to come, I'd love to," Harry said. "We'll pick you up at your hotel then," Hermione said. She wished for a moment she could take back the invitation. If someone saw them, that could be bad. But, she told herself, chances were that wouldn't happen. Most of her friends were the wives of Damian's colleagues and they didn't usually go to the pool. They preferred to let their nannies take their children out and about. "I'm looking forward to it already," Harry said. "See you tomorrow." Hermione saw him to the door. "Good night, Harry." "Night," Harry grinned at her. When she was alone, Hermione sunk down onto the sofa and let out the tears that she'd been holding back. It would have been so easy to let herself get caught up in the way things used to be with Harry. One thing she could not do again was slip in front of him like she had tonight. She had nearly told him about Damian and the awful things he had done to her over the years. Her thought wandered to her husband. Things had started off so well. He literally had swept her off her feet- making her feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. Things hadn't started going bad until a year before she had Bella. She had taken a job teaching at a school in Paris. One day, a male colleague had invited her to lunch to go over lesson plans. Damian had found out and that night he had shown his true colours. Hermione'd had to call in sick for almost a week until the bruises faded. He had been very apologetic afterwards and promised her it would never happen again. She should have left straightaway, but she loved him. Against her better judgment, she'd stayed and for awhile, he had been the perfect husband. But, it wasn't too long before the slightest thing would set him off. She would forget to pick up his dry cleaning. She would not plan a party to his specifications. She was smarter than he was. Now he used Bella as leverage against her, should she ever try to leave him. Hermione would never give up her daughter. She would endure whatever he threw her way if she had to, but she would never, ever let him have Bella. She decided to go check on her daughter again before going to bed herself. She bade Tilly a good night and headed upstairs. Her daughter was fast asleep; cuddling the stuffed dragon Hermione had bought for her. Hermione smiled and brushed a strand of hair off her forehead, kissing the side of Bella's head. "Love you baby," she whispered. She remembered the words Bella had said earlier---how she had wished that Harry was her father. Things would certainly be different, Hermione mused. Harry would never raise his hand to a woman. She told herself to stop thinking that- things couldn't be changed now. The next morning, Bella Conaghan was on Cloud Nine. Tilly had made waffles for breakfast and her mother had told her that Harry would be joining them that afternoon. She smiled the entire way to school. She could not wait to tell Billy her good news. Bella ran over to her desk and took her seat and looked over at her best friend. "Guess what?" "What?" Billy asked. "Mummy and me are going swimming after school," Bella told him. "And Harry Potter is going with us!" "How come?" Billy asked. Bella shrugged. "Just 'cause. It's going to be so much fun, Billy." "That's cool," Billy nodded. "Harry is so cool," Bella told him. "He tells the best stories!" "Like what?" Billy asked, intrigued. Bella told him the story of Grawp, the giant. Billy's eyes grew large. "Sounds a bit like Dr. McGraw," Billy joked causing Bella to laugh. "It does!" she agreed giggling. Bella reached into her bag and handed him the dessert she had saved for him last night. "Thanks, Bells," Billy said gratefully. "This is a lot better than the oatmeal they served us for breakfast this morning." "Oatmeal?" Bella made a face. "Tilly made waffles for us." "Well, we can't all have cooks," Billy said before stuffing the food in his mouth. "Right," Bella said softly. "So, your dad's still gone?" Billy asked her. "Yeah," Bella nodded. "Good," Billy said smiling reassuringly at her. "It's nice," Bella agreed. "I love having my mummy to myself." "Your mum is cool," Billy commented. "She's the bestest," Bella agreed. "You're lucky," Billy said wistfully. "I bet someday you'll get a new mum and dad," Bella said loyally. "I don't think so," Billy said. "Most families want babies, not kids my age." "Yeah but you're so cool," Bella said. "And a lot of fun!" Billy grinned. "I am pretty great." "Okay class," Mrs. Morando had come in. "Let's get started..." Inside his office, Harry was going over the shipment of computers that had arrived that morning. He was making sure everything was accounted for. A few of the older students were going to help him set them up in the library. His mobile phone rang and he reached for it, hoping it was Neville. "HARRY!" Ron's voice screamed on the other line. Ron had never quite mastered Muggle technology. Harry yanked the phone away from his ear. "Ron?" "CAN YOU HEAR ME?" Ron screamed. "You can talk normally," Harry said. "Bloody hell." "Oh," Ron said in a quieter tone. "I'm in a phone booth outside the Ministry. I don't have a class until later so I wanted to see how you were doing." "You aren't going to believe this," Harry said, sitting down. "I found Hermione." "How's the food there?" Ron asked. "I heard some---hang on. What...what did you just say?" "Hermione," Harry told him. "She's here. She's teaching at the same school I'm helping at." "There's no way," Ron said in disbelief. "She's married," Harry told him. "With a daughter." "Married to who?" Ron asked. "He's a doctor," Harry replied. "Whoa," Ron said. "I, um, guess she wasn't all too happy to see you. But, on the bright side, you're still breathing, so that's a good thing..." "I had dinner with her and her daughter last night." Harry said. "She's just like Hermione." "And the husband?" Ron asked. "What's he like?" "I haven't met him yet," Harry said. "He went out of town." "Mate," Ron said. "I can't believe you actually found her. I--I'd like to see her, too." "Maybe you and Luna can come down here," Harry suggested. "She... she doesn't practise magic anymore Ron. Bella doesn't know a thing about us." Ron was speechless. Hermione Granger was no longer practising magic. "She's changed a lot," Harry said. "At least you can put this behind you," Ron said thoughtfully. "Move on, you know?" "I guess," Harry replied. "Harry," Ron said. "She's married. End of story." "I know but she was our best friend at one point," Harry argued. "And you're still carrying a torch for her, aren't you?" Ron asked. "It's been ten years, and I haven't been able to think of any other woman but her," Harry said quietly. "I can't help it, Ron." "I don't have to be Professor Trelawney to know this isn't going to end well," Ron warned him. "Just don't," Harry told him. "I'm not going to make any sort of moves, okay? I just want her to be happy." "If you say so," Ron said. "Did you tell her I was a professor now? I bet she didn't believe you. I wish I could have been there to have seen the look on her face..." "She was pretty surprised," Harry had to smile. "Even more so to hear about you and Luna." Ron chuckled. "That's because I don't think our Miss Granger ever got over me." "In your dreams," Harry snorted. There was a knock on the door and Harry looked up to see the boys who were going to help him with the computers. "I have to go, mate. I'll talk to you soon, Ron." "Alright mate," Ron said. "Later." Harry turned off his phone. The students were looking at the boxes with wide eyes. "Those are really for us?" one of the boys asked. "Sure are," Harry said. "And since you lot are helping me set up, you get first crack at them." The boys grinned at each other. Harry grabbed a box. "Come on then. We'll set them up in the library. Dr. McGraw has set up some extra tables." "This is so cool," one of the boys said. "We're sure glad you're here Mr. Potter." "I'm glad I'm here too," Harry said with a grin. It didn't take the group of them long to set everything up. "These will even get you on the internet," Harry told them. "Although there will be guards set up so you can't visit any inappropriate sites." The boys groaned in disappointment. Harry laughed. "Not that you would anyway, right?" "Of course not," one of the boys said innocently. "That's what I thought," Harry said. "Mrs. Conaghan is also bringing in some more books for you lot to read." "You mean these?" a voice asked from behind him. He turned to see Hermione standing there with a box of books. "That should be a good start," Harry smiled at her. "Since Mr. Potter seems to have forgotten his manners," Hermione said to one of the students. "Maybe one of you could take this box while I get the others from my car?" "Sure Mrs. Conaghan," the boy said. "Imagine my surprise," Hermione said. "When I stepped into the book store this morning to pick up something for Bella when the woman behind the counter asked me if I was there to pick up the shipment for the school." Harry smiled sheepishly. "I was up late last night." "You're just full of surprises," Hermione said smiling back at him. "I try," Harry replied. Hermione walked over to the table and started unpacking the books. "This is amazing, Harry." "Look at those blokes," Harry nodded to the boys who were already playing a game on one of the computers. "They're so excited." "Yes and that war game is very educational," Hermione said dryly. "Ah, it's good to see them smiling," Harry replied. "That's a pretty tame one, anyway." "Don't tell me you play those silly games," Hermione said. "I tested them out," Harry said. "Before I brought them in to another school I did this at." "Strictly for research purposes, I'm sure," Hermione teased. "Of course," Harry grinned. "So," Hermione said looking at him. "We're still on for swimming?" Harry nodded. "I might blind you with how pale I am..." "That's why there's sunglasses," Hermione joked. "Good thing," Harry opened another box. "Bella actually squealed when I told her you were coming with us," Hermione told him. "She's a great kid, Hermione." Harry told her. Hermione beamed with pride. "She is, isn't she?" "She does remind me of you," Harry said. "Wants to know everything about everything." Hermione smiled. "Her first word was 'what'." Harry laughed. "I'm sure yours was too." Hermione reached into the box for a book just as Harry did. Their hands brushed against each other. Harry gulped. "Um... sorry." Hermione blushed. "Yeah, me too." "I just talked to Ron," he said. "Oh?" Hermione asked. "Professor Weasley himself." "He and Luna might come down for a weekend," Harry said. "What?" Hermione asked taken aback. "He wants to see you," Harry told her. "Damian will be back by then," Hermione said straightening a stack of books. "I don't think that's such a good idea." "He can come with," Harry said. "Maybe," Hermione hedged. "We're going to need some new shelves." "That isn't a problem," Harry said. "But don't change the subject." "I know where we can get a great deal on some shelves," Hermione said. "There's a man in town who---" "I can get us the shelves," Harry interrupted. "Great," Hermione said, looking at her watch. "I should get back upstairs. The children will be finishing with recess..." "I'll talk to you later at the pool," Harry told her. "I'll be the one with the sunglasses," Hermione grinned at him. "The heavy duty ones," Harry said dryly. Hermione laughed. "Bye, Harry." Harry was determined not to let her change the subject again. He wanted to know why she was so hesitant about letting her husband join in their activities. The rest of the day went by fairly quickly. Harry spent most of it in the library going over the computer programs with Dr. McGraw. He was running a little late to meet Hermione and Bella at the pool when he saw Billy kicking around a football in the quad. The boy was alone and Harry remembered a time not too long ago when he would be left alone in the backyard while Dudley bullied the neighbourhood children. No one would or could play with Harry and he'd felt so alone. He knew the feeling all to well of not having anyone care about you. With that in mind he approached the little boy. "Hey there Billy," Harry said to him. "Alright?" Billy shrugged. "It's not curfew yet. I'm okay to be outside right now. So, if you were thinking of telling on me..." "I'm glad to see you out," Harry told him. "What difference does it make to you?" Billy asked. "I know how it feels," Harry said. "What you're going through." Billy looked up at him. "Your mum and dad died. My mum's still alive. She didn't want me. Do you know what that's like?" "Yes," Harry said. "My aunt and uncle wanted nothing to do with me." Billy kicked the ball off his knee and didn't say anything in response to this. He was used to grown-ups acting like they cared. "I'm here to help you," Harry told him. "That's what they all say," Billy grumbled. "I mean it," Harry said. "I can help you more than others because I know exactly how you feel." "They say that too," Billy muttered kicking the ball. Harry felt at a loss for words and had to think for a moment. "You're angry with your mum." Billy angrily kicked the ball at Harry. Harry caught it just before it hit him square in the nose. "Go ahead," he tossed it back at Billy. "Kick it again." Billy kicked it as hard as he could. Harry caught it again and threw it back at Billy without saying anything. "She's---she's never even came back," Billy said kicking the ball again. "Never. Not once." Harry tossed it back and let Billy vent. "I needed her and she left me!" Billy shouted. Harry threw him the ball and Billy kicked it so hard it flew clear across the quad. "How long have you been holding that in?" Harry asked. "Ever since she left me," Billy answered, looking away. Harry was at a complete loss as to what to say. He did not know what had been going on in Billy's mother's mind when she'd left her son on the steps of this orphanage. "Sometimes I think I hate her," Billy said, scuffing his foot on the pavement. "I felt that way about my parents," Harry said. "I did for quite some time. I was angry that they'd left me behind with my aunt and uncle." Billy eyed him warily. "My aunt thought I was a nuisance," Harry said. "I slept in a cupboard under the stairs while my cousin Dudley had two bedrooms." "You slept in a cupboard?" Billy asked. Harry nodded. "And spent most of my time in there when they didn't have me cooking or cleaning or pretending I didn't exist." "Wow..." Billy said, letting his voice trail off. "I stayed with them through my 18th birthday," Harry said. He decided to keep the reasons for that secret. He didn't want to open that can of worms with this Muggle boy. "Because they were my legal guardians. But, I left and I haven't been back since. I don't even know what happened to them." "I wouldn't go back either," Billy said. "And if my mum came back now, I would pretend not to know her." "If you ever want to talk about it, I'm here," Harry told him. Billy nodded. "Thanks. You... you aren't so bad." "Thanks," Harry smiled. "I think." "Bella told me you were nice to her," Billy said. "I like Bella very much," Harry said. "She's a sweet girl." "Yeah," Billy nodded. "You know," Harry said. "Bella thinks you're really cool. Told me you're her best friend." Billy grinned. "She's my best friend, too." Harry smiled back at him. "Would you like to come swimming with us?" Billy's jaw dropped. "What?" "I'm headed over to go swimming with Mrs. Conaghan and Bella," Harry said. "Perhaps you'd like to join us?" "I don't think Dr. McGraw would let me," Billy said doubtfully. "I'll just go clear it with her now," Harry told him. "And swing by your room afterwards." Billy grabbed his football. "I'll be really quick! Thanks, Mr. Potter!" Harry grinned and headed back into the orphanage to Dr. McGraw's office. Dr. McGraw agreed that he could take Billy out for the day but he had to be back before curfew---nine o'clock. "I will," Harry promised. "Thank you very much." "He's a good kid," Dr. McGraw said. "You know, before Bella Conaghan came here, he wouldn't talk to anyone." "Really?" Harry asked, interested. Dr. McGraw nodded. "She was determined to make him her friend." "I'd say she definitely succeeded." Harry laughed. Dr. McGraw laughed. "Indeed. I hope he enjoys the swimming." "I'll have him back by nine," Harry promised before leaving. At the pool, Bella was holding out her arms so her mother could put on sunscreen. "Mummy, this is enough!" "Just a bit more," Hermione said. "You're fair like me and I don't want you to burn." Bella frowned. "You worry too much, Mummy!" Hermione smiled. "I know." "But I still love you," Bella grinned back at her. "I love you too," Hermione kissed the side of her head. "That slide is calling your name." "I want to wait for Harry," Bella said. "I want him to see!" "Okay baby," Hermione said, pulling out a bottle of concealer from her bag. She quickly dabbed it over the purple bruise on her underarm. "Tomorrow, our class gets to use the computers!" Bella excitedly told her mother. "I can't wait!" "I saw them today," Hermione said. "They look pretty neat." Bella opened her mouth to respond when she suddenly spotted Harry coming toward them. Her grin widened when she saw that Billy was with him. "Mummy! Look!" "I brought a surprise with me," Harry said, his hand on Billy's shoulder. Hermione turned to see Harry wearing swim trunks and a t-shirt. Her stomach did a little flip at the sight of him. "Hi," he said to her, trying not to let his eyes roam over her slender body. "Hi," Hermione said looking away. "Billy---I should put some sunscreen on you, too. We don't want you to get a sunburn." "Okay Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. Bella looked up at Harry. "Maybe Mummy should put some on you, too, Harry!" Hermione turned bright red. "I think he can handle that for himself, sweetheart." Harry offered Hermione a lazy grin. "Come on, Granger. You could help a bloke out with his back." "Granger?" Bella asked curiously. "Oh yeah! That was Mummy's name before she married Daddy!" "Lot better than Conaghan," Billy said. Harry laughed. "I agree," he winked at her. Hermione laughed and finished putting the sunscreen on Billy. She handed the bottle to Harry. "Here you go, pasty, pale Englishman." "You'll have to forgive me," Harry said to the children. "In England it rains almost all year. This is the most sun I've seen in a long time." Bella giggled. "I think you look very handsome!" "Why thank you, Miss Isabella," Harry bowed. Bella beamed at him and took his hand. "We're going to do the slide first." "Sounds good to me." Harry said. "Harry you forgot sunscreen!" Hermione called. "I'll be all right," Harry said. "Harry James Potter!" Hermione grabbed him by the arm. "Honestly!" "All right, all right," Harry chuckled. "Mummy worries way too much," Bella said. "I'm a mother," Hermione said. "It's in our blood. Bella, you and Billy can go ahead and play in the shallow end. Harry will be with you in a minute." She took Harry by the hand and sat him down on one of the lounges. She reached for the sunscreen. "Where would you be without me? I'll tell you where you'd be...sunburnt and in pain." "I'd probably be dead," Harry said without thinking. Hermione poured some of the lotion on her hand and began rubbing it on his shoulders. "You did fine without me, in the end." "But without everything you taught me I'd have been nowhere," Harry argued. "I'm just really glad that you and Ron made it through," Hermione said softly. "Thanks," Harry said. Hermione looked over to where Bella and Billy were playing in the shallow end of the pool. "That was really great of you to bring him." "He was playing by himself in the quad," Harry said. "I feel a connection to that kid. He's sort of going through the same thing I did." Hermione smiled. "Without the scary, dark wizard. Right?" "Exactly," Harry said wryly. Hermione ran her fingers down his back as she rubbed in the remaining sunscreen. Over the years, he'd bulked up a bit and was not as scrawny as she'd remembered. Harry closed his eyes and let himself get caught up in her touch. Hermione's hand lingered on his shoulder. "I, um, I think you're all set." "Thanks," he said softly. "It's the least I can do," Hermione said. "For how great you've been to Bella. She hasn't stopped talking about you." "Like I said earlier, she's a fantastic kid." Harry replied. "And she's anxious for you to take her on the slide," Hermione said. "Go on with you." "After you, Granger," Harry said with a grin. "Come on..." "I'm not going down the slide," Hermione shook her head. "I thought you were just afraid of flying," Harry teased. "Come on. Don't tell me you've turned into a girly-girl. Are you afraid you're going to ruin your hair if it gets wet?" "Actually yes," she said. Harry raised an eyebrow. "Hermione?" "I'd rather just watch," she said. "Go have fun." "It's a lovely day," Harry pointed out. "You're in a swimming costume. You're going swimming." "Harry, I'm fine." she said firmly. Harry decided to drop it for now, but he was confident that she'd get in the water before the day was through. "All right you guys," Harry said, joining the children. "Who's going on that slide first?" "Me!" Bella and Billy screamed. "Race you," Harry laughed. Bella and Billy laughed as they took off after Harry toward the ladder. Harry let the kids run ahead of him. He suspected Billy was also letting Bella win. Bella pumped her little fist in triumph when she reached the ladder first. "Aw man," Billy grinned at her. "Girls rule," Bella laughed. "Boys drool!" "Whatever!" Billy said. Bella climbed the ladder and waved to her mother when she reached the top. "Mummy, watch!" "I see you baby!" Hermione called back. Bella grinned and sat down. She closed her eyes and held her nose and then with a squeal went down the slide. Harry laughed as the little girl hit the water with a splash. Hermione clapped enthusiastically. "My turn," Billy said happily. Bella tread water as she watched her friend slide. Billy took a deep breath. The slide was a lot bigger now that he was at the top. "Alright, Billy?" Harry asked from behind him. "Yeah..." Billy said, gulping. "Want me to go with you?" Harry asked, sensing his nervousness. "You don't mind?" Billy asked with trepidation. "Not at all," Harry grinned. "On the count of three...one...two...three..." Billy closed his eyes as Harry pushed them both down the slide. They hit the water in a big splash. Bella squealed happily. "That was fun!" Billy said. "Thanks Mr. Potter!" Harry laughed. "You did great, Billy." "You look funny without your glasses," Bella commented to Harry. "Funny?" Harry asked. "Funny? I'll show you funny..." he pulled Bella to him and tickled her. Bella giggled. "Harry!" "That's funny," he said with a grin. "Watch this, Billy!" Bella exclaimed as she climbed on Harry's shoulders. "What are you doing?" Harry asked, amused. Bella patted the top of his head. "Go, Buckbeak, Go!" "Who's Buckbeak?" Billy asked. "He's a hippogriff," Bella told him. "Half horse and half griffin." "I've never heard of that before," Billy replied. "Yah!" Bella exclaimed patting Harry's head again. "Go, Buckbeak!" Harry took a breath and surged underwater, keeping Bella above. Hermione watched from the side and felt her heart swell at the look of pure joy on her daughter's face. Bella shrieked with laughter as Harry went underwater again. Hermione sat down on the edge of the pool and put her feet in the water. Harry came up and caught sight of her. "Come on in, Hermione!" She wanted more than anything to do just that, but the water would wash away her concealer and expose her bruises. Instead she shook her head. "I'm fine." Harry swam over to her. She was by far the most beautiful woman here. "Come on," he sent her his most engaging grin. "You always have had a problem with hearing the word 'no', Hermione said kicking water in his direction. Harry laughed. "Still do." "What am I going to do with you?" Hermione asked. "Listen to me for a change," Harry reached for her arm. "I've always listened," Hermione replied. "No you haven't," Harry tugged on her arm. Bella and Billy swam over. "Come on, Mummy!" Bella pleaded. "I don’t' think so," Hermione hedged. Bella, Billy, and Harry gave her their best puppy dog faces. "Please?" Hermione shook her head. "Mummy," Bella frowned. "Please? Pretty, pretty please?" "I don't think so," Hermione shook her head. There was no way she was letting Harry see those bruises. "You're no fun,” Bella pouted. "Sorry baby," Hermione replied. "Can I do the Buckbeak thing, too?" Billy asked. "Sure, Billy." Harry said. The two children and Harry played for the next hour. Hermione watched from the sidelines laughing and clapping. Harry tried one more time to get Hermione into the water. "Just for a few minutes." he said. "Next time," Hermione told him. "I promise." "Who knows when we'll get to go again?" Harry asked. "Come on." Hermione looked back over to where their things were. Chances were Harry's wand was in his bag. "Hang on just a moment..." "You'll come in?" he asked, brightening. "Give me just a minute," Hermione said. "Great!" Harry swam back to the kids. Hermione hurried back over to the lounges and looked in Harry's bag. Sure enough there was his wand. Her hands were shaking as she picked it up. It had been ten years since she'd last used magic. She had not forgotten any spells, and she used a quick concealment charm on her whole body in case there were other bruises he should notice. She stuffed the wand back into his bag and walked toward the slide. "Let me show you lot how it's done." "Yay Mummy!" Bella cheered. Hermione winked at her daughter as she climbed the ladder. "She's going headfirst!" Billy said in awe. Hermione closed her eyes as she hit the water. "All right!" Harry cheered as she surfaced. "That was cool!" Billy exclaimed. "Yay for Mummy!" Bella swam to Hermione. She put her arms around Hermione's neck and hugged her. Hermione kissed her daughter's wet cheek. "Are you having fun love?" "It's even better now," Bella replied. "I don't want this day to end." "Me either baby," Hermione hugged her tightly. "Bella, come here!" Billy called out to his friend. Bella swam over toward him, leaving Harry and Hermione alone. "The wet look becomes you," Harry joked. "Bella was right," Hermione said splashing him. "You do look funny without your glasses." "I've heard it's a good look for me," Harry replied. "It's not bad," Hermione grinned. "You know, the last time that you and I were in water together was during the Triwizard Tournament." "I remember," Harry grinned, pulling his best Bulgarian accent. "Hermy-own-ninny." "Krum," Hermione shook her head. "Your Bulgarian Bon-Bon," Harry teased. "Oh please," Hermione rolled her eyes. "We had one date." "One date too many," Harry said splashing her. Hermione laughed. "What about you, mooning over Cho Chang?" "I did not moon!" Harry said defensively. "You turned blood red every time you saw her." Hermione replied. "I did not," Harry splashed her again. "I was so smooth." "Yeah right!" Hermione sent a wave of water his way. "You're going to pay for that, Granger!" Harry reached for her. "I don't think so!" Hermione squealed, swimming away. Harry dove under the water and grabbed Hermione by the waist. "Harry!" her words were cut off as he pulled her underwater. Harry could not remember the last time he had this much fun. She put her arms around his neck as they surfaced and their faces were inches apart. "Hey," Harry said softly, gazing into her eyes. "Hi," Hermione whispered. "This is nice," Harry said. Hermione shivered, but not from the water. "Very nice," she agreed. "Hermione," he began. "I've--" Hermione pulled away. "We should go. The kids are probably hungry." Harry sighed, disappointed. "Sure." he said. "I have to have Billy back by nine." "We can them for something to eat," Hermione said. Harry nodded. "Fine." "What's wrong?" Hermione asked, even though she knew the answer. "Nothing," Harry answered. "Let's go." Hermione touched his arm. "Don't be angry with me." "I'm not," Harry said truthfully. Hermione smiled in relief. "I, um, kind of like having you back." Harry grinned at her. Hermione reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Dinner's on me, this time." Harry started to protest but she shook her head. "On me." "Okay," Harry said. "Bella!" Hermione called. "Billy! Come on!" The four of them towelled off and then headed down the street to a sandwich shop. "I can get something too?" Billy asked Harry. "Really?" "Anything you want," Harry said. "And maybe ice cream, too." Bella clapped excitedly. "I LOVE ice cream!" Billy grinned up at Harry. "Thanks." Harry patted him on the shoulder. "I hope you had a good time." "It was the best," Billy replied. For the first time, he almost felt like he was part of a real family. "Good," Harry said. Hermione caught Harry's eye and smiled. Harry grinned back as Bella and Billy placed their orders. The two adults placed their orders as well and Harry reached for his wallet. Hermione nudged him. "I'm paying, Potter. Remember?" "You had dinner for me last night," Harry said. "Let me get this one." "Fine, but the next time I am paying," Hermione told him, shaking her head. Bella and Billy watched the two of them and Bella nudged Billy. "I want Harry to be my daddy," she whispered in his ear. "Really?" Billy asked. Bella nodded. "Bells, you already have a dad," Billy pointed out. "But I really like Harry," Bella said. Billy looked over at Harry who was laughing at something Hermione had said. "He seems like he'd be a great dad," Billy commented. Bella nodded again. "The bestest." "Come on, you lot," Harry said taking the tray of food. "Before I eat it all..." "No!" Bella squealed, hurrying after him. Billy laughed as he followed them. "I think that one's mine," Bella said. "This is so much better than the meatloaf we were supposed to be getting tonight at school," Billy said as he sat down. "Meatloaf, eh?" Harry asked. Billy nodded. "It's awful." "Doesn't sound too appetizing," Harry agreed. Billy shook his head. "It never is, really." "Maybe the menu should be next on my list," Harry said. "The school has never really had the budget to do anything more," Hermione told him. "I can imagine," Harry said. "But that's why I'm here." Bella looked at him. "I don't want you to ever leave, Harry." Harry smiled at her. "I'm staying until everything I want to accomplish here is taken care of." Bella grinned and reached for her chips. "And what exactly do you hope to accomplish?" Hermione asked him. "Making this school the best it can be," Harry told her. "And spending as much time with my new friends as possible." "Like us!" Bella chirped. "Exactly like you," Harry said grinning at her. Hermione's leg brushed against Harry's thigh as she sat down. Harry looked over at her. "And you," he said under his breath. Hermione blushed. Harry knew he could never let his feelings for her go. He resolved to call Neville when he got back and see if he'd dug anything up yet. "You want to try a bite of my salad?" Hermione asked him. "Sure," Harry answered. "You want some of my sandwich?" Hermione grinned. "Why do you think I offered you a bite of my salad?" "Nice," Harry replied, laughing. The two kids were talking about their classes which gave Hermione and Harry a chance to talk "You know," Hermione said in a hushed voice so the kids couldn't hear. "I do miss Honeyduke's. Do you get a chance to go there?" "Once in awhile," Harry replied. "We always had a great time there," Hermione remembered. "Did you want me to have Ron pick you something up before he and Luna come here?" Harry asked. Hermione was about to ask for some Sugar Quills when Damian's voice echoed in her head. She remembered having trouble dropping her weight from when she had Bella and he'd used that to cut her down at every opportunity. Hermione shook her head. "That's okay." "Are you sure?" Harry pressed. Hermione nodded. "That's nice of you to offer, but I'm fine." "If you change your mind..." Harry said. "Thanks," Hermione said offering him a bite of her salad. He took a bite. "Good pick," he said. Hermione grinned. "And now for your sandwich..." "A bite," Harry teased. "I'm not Ron," Hermione said taking a bite of his sandwich. "Mmmmm...." "Good isn't it?" Harry asked. Hermione nodded. "Delicious." Harry smiled. "Reminds me of that night at Grimmauld Place when we couldn't sleep. You made those grilled cheese sandwiches..." "I thought Ron was going to inhale the plate," Hermione recalled/ "And then he went upstairs to go to bed and you and I made those biscuits," Harry remembered. He'd nearly kissed her that night. "Those were the good times," Hermione said softly. "The best," Harry said reaching for her hand under the table. Hermione bit her lower lip as Harry squeezed her fingers in his. "This okay?" Harry asked softly. "Yeah," she whispered. "I think so too," Harry said looking into her eyes. "Mummy?" Bella asked. "Can we have ice cream now?" Hermione turned to look at her daughter. "What---what, sweetheart?" "Can we have our ice cream now?" Bella repeated. "Oh," Hermione said, reaching into her bag for her wallet. "Of course. You and Billy can go and get whatever you want." "I've got this too," Harry told her. Harry handed the kids some money and the two of them hurried up to the counter. Hermione turned her attention back to her salad, her face a bit pink. "Hermione," Harry said softly. "What?" she asked quickly. "There's something you need to know," Harry said. "What's that?" she asked. "That night before I left," Harry began. "You were right. I wasn't just there to check on you. I came up there to tell you something." "You did?" she squeaked out. Harry nodded. He could not believe he was going to tell her this after all this time, but he wanted her to know. He needed her to know. "What were you going to say?" she swallowed. "I was going to tell you that I loved you," Harry said looking intently at her. 7. Give Me One More Chance -------------------------- **Sorry about the late update guys- much stuff happening right now and I forgot to update. You can thank Jo (Orli Luva) for the reminder!)** **Give Me One More Chance –** **Jackson** **5** **Oh baby give me one more chance To show you that I love you Wont you please send me back in your heart Oh darlin I was blind to let you go But now since I see you in his arms I want you back Yes I do now I want you back** Hermione gaped at him. "I chickened out," Harry said with a nervous laugh. "Can you believe that?" "Harry," she whispered. "I had no idea..." "I tried to keep it a secret, but Ron figured it out," Harry said. "And he said I should tell you before we left. I couldn't do that to you though because if I didn't come back---" "And then you left me... so I left you." Hermione said. Harry nodded. "Ten years later, here we are." "It's so unfair," Hermione rubbed at her forehead. "I know," Harry agreed. "All this time, I've wondered what life would be like if I'd stepped up and told you how I felt." "I would have stayed if you had," she said. "I'm an idiot," Harry said with a sigh. "So am I," Hermione said, trying to fight back her tears. Harry put his hand on her arm. "You're not an idiot. You're the smartest person I know." Hermione straightened up as Bella and Billy left the counter. "We got banana splits!" Bella announced. "Those look great," Harry told her. "Good choice, both of you." "Thanks, Mr. Potter," Billy said. "Call me Harry," he told the boy. Billy smiled. "Thanks, Harry." "I've got to use the loo," Hermione said. "Be back in a moment." "Hermione?" Harry asked. "Won't be long," she said, rushing off. She hurried into the loo and locked the door. Harry had loved her. "Bloody hell," Hermione said, tears falling from her eyes. She tried to stop the tears, but they kept coming. If he had just told her how he felt, things would have been different. She would never have left school. She would never have met Damian again. But in that same frame of thought, she wouldn't have her daughter. And having Bella was something she wouldn't ever change. Besides, she thought, there was no way of knowing that he still felt that way. But, then again, it would not matter if he did. She could not leave her husband. Hermione splashed some cold water on her face and tried to collect herself. Earlier, in the pool, she had wanted to kiss him. What on earth was she doing putting herself into the path of temptation like this? "Keep this at a professional level," Hermione told herself. "No more dinners or swimming." Besides, Damian would be back soon and there was no way she could continue to see Harry like this. "Just end it all here, tonight." she said. She left the bathroom and walked back to the table. "Are you okay, Mummy?" Bella asked. Her face was smeared with chocolate from her sundae. "I'm fine," Hermione said. "But, you and I should really head home. I promised your father we'd call him before your bedtime." Bella pouted. "But I'm not done with my sundae!" "And I haven't bought you one yet," Harry said. "Come on and sit down. It's still early, Hermione." "I don't need any ice cream," Hermione said. "I'm pretty full." Harry looked at her. She had only eaten half of her salad. She avoided looking at Harry. "Hurry up, sweetheart." "Mummy," Bella protested. "I don't want to talk to Daddy on the phone. I want to stay here." "Isabella," Hermione said firmly. Bella frowned and took a bite of her sundae. Billy had finished his. "This was really, really good." "I'm really glad you liked it," Harry told him. "Can we do this again sometime?" Billy ventured. "Of course," Harry told him. "Cool!" Billy said enthusiastically, sharing a grin with Bella. Harry looked over at Hermione. "Can I have a word?" "I suppose," she answered. He stood up and led her a few feet away so they could talk out of the kids' earshot. "I freaked you out, didn't I? When I told you about that night?" "A bit," she said softly. "I'm sorry," Harry said. "I just thought you should know." Hermione nodded. Harry smiled at her. "I don't want things to be weird between us because I just now have you back in my life." "It's just not the same," Hermione told him quietly. "I know," Harry said. He could feel her pulling away from him and that was the last thing he wanted. "You know I thought that over the years those feelings would go away. But, they haven't." "I can't." Hermione shook her head. "You felt something earlier, didn't you?" Harry asked her. "I know you did." "Don't do this," Hermione said. "I'm married now. I can't go there, even if I wanted to." "Hermione," Harry said softly. "You love me too, don't you?" "I really have to go," Hermione said. "Good night, Harry." "Hermione, wait," Harry called after her. But, she was already at the table, wiping Bella's face with a napkin. "Come on baby," Hermione said. "We need to go." Bella frowned. "Okay, Mummy." "We'll see you tomorrow, Billy." Hermione told him. "Bye, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "Bye, Bells!" "See you Billy," Bella waved. "Bye, Harry!" "Bye, Miss Isabella," Harry waved back. "Bye, Hermione." Hermione nodded at him before leading Bella out of the restaurant. Harry sat back down. He pushed his plate away. He wasn't hungry anymore. Just as always, he'd jumped the gun. Hermione, of all people, had always told him that he needed to think before he acted. But, did he do that this time? "Are you going to finish that?" Billy looked at his sandwich. "No," Harry replied. "Go ahead." "Thanks," Billy said eagerly, wolfing it down. "You remind me of my best friend, Ron," Harry said. "He has a bottomless stomach." "What's that mean?" Billy asked. "It means that he can eat anything at any time and never gets full," Harry replied. "In fact, I don't think he's ever turned down food. He'd probably even like the oatmeal and meatloaf at the school." "Gross!" Billy made a face. Harry laughed. "Maybe you'll get to meet him sometime. He's thinking of coming down here for a visit. He and I went to school with Bella's mum." "You went to school with Mrs. Conaghan?" Billy asked. Harry nodded. "Yeah, I've known her since I was 11." "That's a long time," Billy said. Harry smiled. "Yes, it is." "How old are you?" Billy asked. Harry laughed. "How old do you think I am?" "Forty five?" Billy ventured. Harry threw a crisp at him. "Forty five?" "Just guessing!" Billy laughed. "Well, you are way off," Harry chuckled. "I'll be twenty eight in July." "That's still kind of old," Billy said thoughtfully. "I'm only six." Harry smiled. "And what do you want to do when you grow up, Billy?" "Be an astronaut," Billy replied immediately. "I think you would be a great astronaut," Harry told him. "You do?" Billy asked. "Everyone else tells me it's stupid." "If you work hard enough and apply yourself, I'm sure you can do it," Harry said. "Don't let anyone ever tell you that your dreams are stupid, Billy." "Thanks," Billy said, the side of his mouth turning up. "You know," Harry said. "I happen to know a pilot. I could see if he'd take you up for a flight." "A real pilot?" Billy asked in awe. "You'd do that?" "Absolutely," Harry said. "I'll see if I can set that up in the next couple of days." Billy stared at him a moment, his eyes suddenly turning wary. "How come you're being so nice to me?" "I like you," Harry replied. "And I'd like to be your friend, Billy. I'm here to help." "Other people have told me that," he mumbled. "I'm not other people," Harry told him. "I know you haven't had a lot of people in your life that you can count on, Billy." Billy only shrugged. "Come on then," Harry said. "I should get you back to school." "Okay," Billy said, sliding from his chair. "Did you have fun today?" Harry asked him as they headed out of the restaurant. Billy nodded. "A lot." "I did too," Harry said. "I'm glad you could come along." Billy chanced a smile at him. "Thanks for inviting me." "Anytime," Harry smiled back at him. "You're quite the swimmer." "I learned to swim a long time ago," Billy boasted. "Did you now?" Harry grinned. "Yeah," Billy nodded. "My... my mum taught me before..." Harry put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "She taught you well. You're a better swimmer than me. I didn't learn until I was much older." "How come?" Billy asked. "My aunt and uncle never saw fit to take me to the pool or to the ocean," Harry said. "They didn't mind taking my cousin though. I was supposed to sit up in my bedroom and pretend I didn't exist." "Wow," he looked up at Harry. "Yeah, my Uncle Vernon was a piece of work," Harry said. "So was my mum," Billy replied quietly. Harry looked sympathetically at the little boy. This was exactly how he had felt when he was Billy's age. Billy kicked a rock along the road. "She sent me here and then just left." "I'm sure your mother loved you," Harry said thoughtfully. "She probably felt overwhelmed and wanted to do what was best for you. I know it doesn't seem like it, but she was looking out for you." Billy shrugged again. "You know," Harry said with a grin. "I know you can swim, but I bet you're not much of a runner. In fact, I bet that I could beat you in a footrace back to the school." "No way," Billy said, his grin returning. "Okay," Harry said. "If you win, I'll bring you a box of doughnuts and if I win, you'll have to help me shelve books in the library." "You're on!" Billy said, taking off down the pavement. Harry laughed as he took off after him. He deliberately kept his pace slower than Billy, who was running with every ounce of strength he had. Billy pumped his fists in triumph when he reached the front steps of the school. "You're just too fast!" Harry exclaimed. Billy grinned. "I'll take chocolate covered doughnuts, thank you." "I'll have them for you in the morning," Harry ruffled Billy's hair. Billy laughed. "You didn't do too bad, for an old guy." "Thanks," Harry grinned at him. "I'll walk you inside." Billy nodded and led the way up the steps. "Bella really likes you, too." "That feeling is very mutual," Harry answered. "So does Mrs. Conaghan," Billy commented. "Well we're old friends," Harry said. "Was she your girlfriend?" Billy asked. "No," Harry said. "Do you want her to be?" Billy asked bluntly. "Billy," Harry chided. "Mrs. Conaghan is married." "So was Mrs. Morando," Billy said. "But she got divorced." "Here we are," Harry changed the subject. "And tomorrow I'll have a box of chocolate donuts for you." Billy grinned. "Thanks, Mr. Potter. Good night." "Night Billy," Harry said. Harry waited until the boy was safely in the dorms before he headed out. He walked slowly back to his hotel, his mind on Hermione. His mind drifted to that night at Grimmauld Place. Ron had just gone upstairs and Harry was left alone with Hermione. "I hope he doesn't think I'm going to cook for him every night while we're here," Hermione told Harry. "You might have to tell him that," Harry replied with a grin. "I will," Hermione said reaching into the pocket of her jeans for a tie. She pulled her hair back and did not notice Harry was watching her. "I don't understand how he can eat that much and then go upstairs to sleep." "I'd be sick to my stomach," Harry said still gazing at her. "So, are you going to help me make the biscuits or what?" Hermione asked him. "Sure," Harry said. He had no desire to go to sleep. Hermione smiled at him. "You're a much better helper than Ron. He keeps sticking his hand in the bowl." "I'll only eat them once they're finished," Harry grinned at her. Hermione smiled. "It's a good thing, Mrs. Weasley took Ginny with her. I don't think I could have taken any more of her sitting there mooning over you." Harry rolled his eyes. "That's not what you need to deal with now," Hermione said thoughtfully as she cracked some eggs into the bowl. "Not really," he agreed. "But then again, it's nice to have a free night every now and then," Hermione grinned at him. "Like tonight." Harry nodded. "Just to relax a bit." "Exactly," Hermione said. "How about you get the chocolate chips from the cupboard and the sugar, too?" "Okay," Harry reached up to get the items from the cupboard. "I have a confession to make," Hermione told him. "My parents think I'm staying at the Burrow. They don't know that I'm here with you and Ron." "Why not?" Harry asked curiously. "Do you know of many parents who would let their daughter stay at a house unsupervised with two boys?" Hermione asked with a grin. "Good point," Harry said sheepishly. "What they don't know can't hurt them, right?" Hermione asked. Harry shook his head. "Hermione Granger, breaking the rules..." "She was such a good girl, too," Hermione laughed. "Until she was led astray by her two best friends, Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter." "Such bad influences," Harry joked. "Terrible, wicked boys," Hermione said picking up some flour and tossing it in his direction. "Hey!" Harry ducked so the white powder wouldn't cover his inky coloured hair. "Mr. Big, Bad Seeker needs to work on his reflexes," Hermione teased ducking as Harry hurled some chocolate chips at her. "Harry!" "Mr. Big, Bad Seeker needs to work on his reflexes," Hermione teased ducking as Harry hurled some chocolate chips at her. "Harry!" "Those are too good to waste," Harry said, grabbing a handful of sugar. "You wouldn't," Hermione said. Harry launched it at her. "Oh," Hermione sputtered. "You are soooooo going to get it now." "Oh yeah?" Harry asked. Hermione took another handful of flour. "Oh yeah," she countered mischievously. Harry coughed as she tossed it directly at his face. His glasses were completely covered. "Score!" Hermione laughed. Harry took his glasses off and blinked. The sight of his browned skin standing out against his white face made Hermione laugh even harder. "You think this is funny, do you?" Harry asked. "Hilarious," she managed, leaning against the counter. Harry grabbed a towel and wiped his face. "You're lucky I like you so much or I'd retaliate." "Sure," Hermione smirked. "I think the problem is you can't see." "I can see just fine," Harry said dropping the dish towel and grabbing her around the waist. Hermione gulped. He was standing SO close to her! "What do you think of my reflexes now?" Harry asked, his breath tickling her neck. "Pretty good," she choked out. Harry spun her around to face him. "I didn't quite hear that." "Good," Hermione said, her eyes fixating on his. Harry touched her cheek. "We're a mess." "Yes we are," she managed. "Hermione, I--" Harry started to say. "What the bloody hell happened here?" Ron asked. Harry let Hermione go. "We-we were just baking," he said hastily. "And we sort of spilled some stuff," Hermione grabbed a towel. "You shouldn't waste food," Ron told them grumpily. "And you call me messy, Hermione. Seems to me like you're throwing stones at my glass." Hermione rolled her eyes. "You mean throwing stones at your glass house. Besides, Ronald, I'd have to trash the kitchen completely to even come close to how messy you are on an everyday basis." "Very funny," Ron said crossly, going to the icebox. "You're still hungry?" Hermione asked him incredulously. "So?" Ron asked. "Nothing," Hermione said crossly. Harry shook his head. He couldn't believe people thought these two fancied each other. "Delusional," he muttered. "Hermione, can you make me some waffles?" Ron asked. "With lots of butter?" "No," Hermione snapped. "I am not making you any more food!" Ron glared at her. "You'd make them if Harry wanted them." "No I wouldn't," she denied quickly. "Fine," Ron grumbled. "I'll make them myself." "Oh, no you will not!" Hermione exclaimed. "The last time you decided to cook something you nearly burned the house down!" "Then make them for me!" Ron whined. "You ate six sandwiches and half a bag of chips," Hermione pointed out. "And now you want waffles?" "Just four of them," Ron wheedled. Hermione threw a dish towel at him. "You are the most insufferable, inconsiderate, needy, lazy, messy and indolent people I've ever met in my life," Hermione told him. "And you are the bossiest shrew I've ever met in my life," Ron shot back. "Hey!" Harry protested. "Don't talk to her like that!" "A great best mate you are!" Ron snapped at him/ "He's my best friend too," Hermione said to Ron. "In case you've forgotten!" "Why don't you two just find a corner and shag then?" Ron asked before stomping out of the kitchen. Hermione's cheeks turned red and she busied herself with cleaning up the mess. Harry shook his head. "What the hell is his problem?" "He didn't get his way," Hermione replied. "You know how he gets when that happens." "True," Harry pulled out his wand and waved it at the mess. "Thanks for taking up for me," Hermione said softly. "No problem," Harry said. "You... you were right. You're my best friend too." "Even if I did throw flour at you?" Hermione asked. "Well I threw sugar at you," Harry said. "And chocolate chips..." "It's okay," Hermione said looking earnestly at him. "I forgive you." Harry grinned. "You started it." "Me?" Hermione asked innocently. "Yes, you." Harry returned. Hermione grinned. "Yeah, but you still love me." "More than you know," Harry muttered under his breath. Harry sighed. Who knew what would have happened that night if Ron had not interrupted them. He let himself into his hotel room, dropping his keys and mobile on the nightstand before stretching out on the bed. What a day, he thought to himself. He couldn't believe he'd told Hermione he loved her. Any progress he'd made in getting their friendship back was lost because he couldn't shut his big mouth. Harry rubbed at his eyes and decided not to bother showering or undressing. He was too tired. Miles away in a Madagascar hotel room, Damian Conaghan was just getting out of bed. He smiled at the blonde nurse. "I'm going to take a shower. Care to join me?" "So very tempting," she purred. Damian gave her a kiss. "How about you go and get things started? I need to check in at the hospital back home." "I'll be counting the moments," she said sliding from under the covers. Damian watched her go into the bathroom and he tried to remember her name. "Marie..." he muttered. "Maria?" He laughed to himself. It would come to him eventually. He picked up the phone and dialled the hospital's number. "Drake, hey mate. It's me, Conaghan. How're things?" "Hey Damian," his friend replied. "Am I glad you called." Damian listened patiently while Drake filled him on the goings on at the hospital. "So when do you think you'll be back?" Drake asked him. "Next week sometime," Damian answered. "Why?" "Stephanie saw Hermione and Bella at the pool today," Drake said. "Hermione was at the pool?" Damian asked. "Yeah," Drake said quietly. "I--I don't know if I should be telling you this..." "Tell me!" Damian commanded. "Steph saw her with some bloke," Drake told him. "Steph said they looked pretty close. They were playing around in the pool. She said he couldn't keep his hands off of her." Damian clenched the phone in his hand. "Damian?" Drake asked. "Are you still there?" "Yeah," Damian said tightly. "I just thought you should know," Drake said. "I mean, you'd tell me." "Sure I would," Damian said. "I'll see you soon, Drake." he hung up. "Damian?" the nurse called out to him from the bathroom. "The water's getting cold..." Damian didn't bother to respond. He quickly grabbed up his things and left the hotel room without a word. He could not believe Hermione would do this to him. Drake's wife was the biggest gossip in Johannesburg. If she knew, the entire hospital had to know. "Bitch," he muttered as he checked out of the hotel and flagged down a taxi. The next morning, Hermione was rushing about trying to get ready for school. She had not slept much the night before, too preoccupied with thoughts of Harry and what he had confessed. "Mummy that hurts," Bella complained as Hermione accidentally pulled on her hair. "Sorry, baby," Hermione said. She tugged gently at a snarl and after a few minutes, finally had her daughter's hair brushed properly. "Go downstairs," Hermione said. "Tilly has breakfast ready for you. I'll be down in a minute, okay?" "Okay Mummy," Bella agreed. "And no telly," Hermione told her. Bella pouted. "I know." Hermione grinned. "Off you go." She turned her attention to her reflection and pulled her hair back off her face. "Hello, sweetheart," a cold voice said from behind her. "Miss me?" Hermione jumped. "Damian?" "Oh, you do remember me, then?" Damian asked sarcastically. Hermione forced a smile onto her face. "I wasn't expecting you home so soon." "Obviously," Damian said shutting the bedroom door behind him. "This is a pleasant surprise--" she began. "What have you been up to while I've been gone, my love?" Damian asked. "Nothing much," Hermione said. "Oh really?" Damian asked, coming closer. Hermione shrugged. "I took Bella to the pool yesterday." "You haven't done that in quite some time," Damian commented. "How was it?" "It was fine," Hermione said. "She had a good time." "Were you alone?" Damian asked her, his cold eyes boring into hers. "We... we took Billy, from the orphanage..." Hermione faltered. How had he found out? "Don't lie to me, Hermione," Damian said advancing on her. "Who were you with?" "Damian--" she said, backing up. Downstairs, Bella was getting impatient. She didn't want to eat her breakfast without her mother. She and Tilly both jumped when they heard a crashing sound from upstairs. "HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A FOOL!" Damian roared. "Daddy," Bella gulped looking at Tilly. "Daddy's home." Tilly nodded. "Why don't we go into the sitting room," she said. Bella shook her head. "I-I want to help Mummy!" "It's best you don't go up there, cherie," Tilly said. There was another crashing sound and Bella flinched as she heard her mother cry out in pain. "Tilly let me go," she struggled with the maid as her eyes filled with tears. Tilly held her tight. "It will be over soon, cherie." Bella began to cry as she heard her father curse and Hermione try to plead with him to stop. Tilly's own eyes were filling with tears and she let Bella go for a moment. That was all the little girl needed and she ran out of the kitchen and upstairs. Her father barely looked at her as he stalked out of the room. "Mummy!" Bella rushed into the room and saw Hermione slumped against the side of the bed. "No, baby," Hermione managed to choke out. "I-I don't want you to see me like this." "But you need help," Bella said with a sob. "I'm---I'm okay, baby," Hermione said, her voice breaking. "Get---get Tilly. She'll know what to do." "Okay," Bella hiccupped as she ran for their maid. Hermione struggled to sit up. Every bone in her body was aching. Never in her life had she hated someone more than she hated her husband right now. "Madame," Tilly came into the room followed by Bella. "Let's get you on the bed." Hermione nodded and allowed the maid to help her to her feet. Bella started to cry even harder when she got a good look at her mother, bloodied and bruised. "Baby go to your room," Hermione wheezed. Bella shook her head. "I want to help..." "I don't want you to see this, baby." Hermione said. "Please be a big girl and go play in your room for a little while." Bella nodded. "I love you, Mummy." "I love you too sweetheart," Hermione tried to smile. Bella cuddled up on her bed with her stuffed dragon. If only there was a real Buckbeak that could take her and her mummy away from Daddy, Bella thought as she cried. "Tilly... he knew about Harry coming swimming with us," Hermione said as the maid helped her clean herself up. "How did he know?" "I didn't tell him, Madame," Tilly replied. "I promise." "I know you didn't," Hermione said. "You wouldn't do that." Tilly used a wet rag to wipe the blood from Hermione's forehead. "I think you should see a doctor...." Hermione shook her head. "I can't." "Your injuries, Madame," Tilly protested. "They'll heal," Hermione said. "They'd be worse if Damian found out I went to the hospital for them." Tilly nodded. "Should I ring the school and tell them you won't be in today?" "Please," Hermione nodded. "Tell them I woke up with a touch of the flu." "I'll tell them Isabella is ill too," Tilly told her. Hermione nodded. "It's probably best that she stay home as well." Tilly left the room to make the call. Hermione sobbed into her pillow. "Mummy?" "Baby..." Hermione said. "Come on in." Bella tiptoed into the room and held out her stuffed dragon. "Here---" "Thank you sweetheart," Hermione whispered. Bella climbed up on the bed. "I'm sorry, Mummy." "Why are you sorry, baby?" Hermione asked. "I didn't stop him," Bella said her lower lip trembling. "I wanted to save you." "You couldn't stop him, angel." Hermione said. "I'm glad you stayed out of the way." Bella rested her head on her mother's shoulder. "You want to stay home with me today, love?" Hermione asked. "Yes," Bella said in a small voice. "Good," Hermione closed her eyes. Bella started to sing a lullaby that Hermione sang to her when she wasn't feeling well. Tears leaked from her good eye. Harry had just arrived at the school carrying the box of doughnuts he had promised Billy. "Good morning Michelle," Harry nodded to the secretary. "Good morning," she replied warmly. "Is Mrs. Conaghan in yet?" he asked. Michelle shook her head. "Her housekeeper rang earlier. She and Bella have a touch of the flu. They'll not be in today." "The flu?" Harry asked, concerned. "I'm sure they'll be fine," Michelle reassured him. Harry nodded. "Thanks..." Harry wondered if what he had told her last night had anything to do with her not being in today. But, he could not see her keeping Bella out of school for it. "Wow," Billy's voice interrupted. "You actually remembered!" Harry turned and grinned. "Of course. I lost the bet, didn't I?" Billy carefully took the box in his hand. "And they ARE chocolate!" "That's what you asked for, isn't it?" Harry asked with a grin. "Yeah but usually I get told they aren't healthy for me and all that." Billy looked up at him in gratitude. Harry laughed. "Well, you shouldn't eat them everyday, but every now and again should be okay." "I'll hide them," Billy said. "Might be a good idea," Harry said. He looked around at the students rushing about to get to their classes. "Bella's going to miss out on the computers today. Michelle just told me that she and her mum are sick." "Bella's sick?" Billy frowned. "Suppose so," Harry replied. "I might give her mum a call to see how she's holding up. I'll let you know how she is, Billy." "Thanks," Billy said. "I'll see you later." Harry watched him go before he headed upstairs to his office. He had some time before he had to meet with Dr. McGraw. He could call Hermione and check on her to make sure there wasn't anything she or Bella needed. He headed into his office and grabbed his mobile. He looked up Hermione's home phone number in the school directory and dialled. It was Tilly who answered the phone. "Conaghan residence." "Hello Tilly," Harry said. "Is Mrs. Conaghan available?" There was silence on the other end of the phone. "Tilly?" Harry prompted. "Mrs. Conaghan is resting," Tilly replied. "Is she awake?" Harry pressed. "I'll check," Tilly said after a moment's hesitation. "One moment." "Thank you," Harry said, sitting down. "I'm sorry, monsieur," Tilly said a minute later. "Mrs. Conaghan is sleeping and so is Miss Isabella." "Oh," Harry said in disappointment. "Um... could you have her ring me at the orphanage when she gets a moment? If she feels up to it?" "I don't think that's possible," Tilly said. "Dr. Conaghan arrived home this morning." Harry didn't see why that would be a problem. "She can't ring me because he's home?" "Good day," Tilly replied curtly before hanging up the phone. Harry stared at his phone for a moment before turning it off and putting it in his drawer. What was going ON at that house? 8. Pass You By -------------- **Thanks so much for your continued support in this story- we’re glad you guys are enjoying it. If you’re still following Last Dance, please let us know what you’re thinking of that one. Lots of hits but very few reviews. We know there’s interest, but how much? Please take a few seconds to review after you’re done reading- we really appreciate it. Since JKR makes all the $$ for Harry Potter and his world, we have reviews that we go on. :D** **Pass You By - Boyz II Men** **She was like nothing I'd ever known Her eyes shine like diamonds in a field of snow The man that destiny led her to meet Made her feel that life was now complete Now some days have passed and nights gone by You can see the glow slowly fading from her eyes Though she denies her pain and her dismay Oh I said this to her anyway Don't have to stay with someone that makes you cry (makes you cry) You'll end up killing all the love you have inside (have inside) Can't hope to see the sun if you don't open your eyes Girl don't let real love pass you by Ooh oh no Ooh don't let real love pass you by** Nothing made sense. Hermione was not someone who let another person dictate what she did or whom she saw. But, it seemed like she had to run everything past her husband before she did it. Harry decided when he got some free time that afternoon that he was going to ring Neville and see if he'd found anything. His morning went by fairly quickly. He met with Dr. McGraw and helped out in the library. He set up some appointments with some builders to discuss expanding the school and he helped Mrs. Morando show the students in Billy's class how to use the new computers. "This really is wonderful," Mrs. Morando was saying as the children took turns on the computers. "We've never had anything on this sort of level before. I don’t know how to thank you." Harry smiled. "Seeing the looks on their faces is thanks enough." "It's just a shame that Bella isn't here," Mrs. Morando commented. "She would have loved this." "Is she absent a lot?" Harry asked curiously. Mrs. Morando nodded. "Sometimes several times a week. Usually on the same days Mrs. Conaghan isn't here as well." Harry considered this. "Mrs. Conaghan is absent frequently as well?" Mrs. Morando nodded. Harry wanted to ask more but Billy called him over to ask a question. Harry tried to answer, but he was preoccupied with thoughts of Hermione. He could not recall Hermione ever missing classes when they were in Hogwarts, unless she'd been in the hospital wing. "Are you okay Mr. Potter?" Billy asked. "Hmm?" Harry asked. "Oh, um, yes. Billy, I'm fine." "I'm sure Bella will be okay," Billy reassured him. "Me too," Harry said. "You did really well today, Billy." "Thanks," Billy smiled at him. "But, you do realise they're for things other than games," Harry said with a grin. "Yeah I know, I know." Billy said. Harry mussed the boy's hair. "I'll see you tomorrow." Billy grinned at him before leaving with the rest of the class. Harry reached into his pocket for his mobile. He dialled Neville's number. He didn't even give his friend a chance to say hello. "Mate, tell me you found something on Conaghan." "Hey," Neville said. "Yeah I found out a few things." "Such as?" Harry prompted. "He attended Eton and Oxford," Neville replied looking over his notes. "He graduated with honours. By all accounts was a great student and loved by all who know him." "Really?" Harry asked in dismay. "He moved to France shortly after marrying Hermione," Neville continued. "He began his residency at Saint-Antoine University Hospital where he quickly rose up the ranks." "I see," Harry answered unenthusiastically. "There was something else," Neville said. "Four years ago, he spent the night in a French jail, but with the privacy laws, I'm having trouble finding out why." "Really?" Harry asked, interested. "Just one night?" "One night," Neville said. "I don't know what the charges were, but apparently they were dropped the next morning and he was set free.” "Hmm..." Harry nodded. "It might be something as mundane as unpaid parking tickets, Harry," Neville warned. "I know but it could be something worse," Harry said. He told Neville about Hermione and Bella being absent that day. "That doesn't sound like Hermione," Neville agreed. "Remember sixth year when she came down with the wizarding flu and could barely keep her head up, but she didn't miss a single class?" "Exactly," Harry replied. "I'm going to see if Fleur can use some of her contacts to find out what happened with his arrest," Neville told him. "I'll keep you posted." "Thanks mate," Harry said. "I appreciate it." "No problem," Neville told him. "Let me know if you need anything else." "I will," Harry promised. "How's Susan?" "Hormonal," Neville replied with a laugh. "Wouldn't want to be in your place," Harry smiled. "Later, mate." After hanging up with Neville, he tried Hermione once more. Yet again, Tilly told him that Hermione was still sleeping. He knew that he should just leave well enough alone, but he could not let this go without meeting Damian Conaghan for himself. He asked Michelle how to get to the hospital and a few minutes later, he found himself in the lobby. "Hi," he said approaching the main desk. "I'd like to see Dr. Damian Conaghan please." "Is he expecting you?" the receptionist asked him. "No," Harry said. "But I'm a colleague of his wife's." "Oh," the woman replied. "Well, Dr. Conaghan's office is on the third floor." "Thank you," Harry replied. He took the lift up to the third floor and walked down the corridor. The door to Damian's office was open, but there was no one inside. "Hello?" Harry called out cautiously. He stepped inside and looked around. There was a big, ornate desk with a state-of-the-art computer. A plush sofa was pushed against the wall and there were three large bookshelves stocked with medical journals and textbooks. He moved closer to the desk and saw a picture of Hermione sitting near the edge. He noticed with surprise that there wasn't a single photo of Bella anywhere. He heard voices in the hall and the sound of female laughter. He quickly sat down in one of the chairs, acting as if he'd just arrived. "Let me just check my messages," a tall, athletic looking bloke was saying as he stepped into the office. He stopped in his tracks when he saw someone was waiting for him. "I wasn't aware I had an appointment..." "I didn't make one," Harry stood up. "I'm sorry to barge in, but I wanted to come meet you. I'm Harry Potter- I'm helping out at the orphanage." Damian studied him for a moment. "Dr. Damian Conaghan," he finally said. "And this is my colleague, Dr. Valerie Lefevre." "Nice to meet you both," Harry said politely. "Valerie, could you give me a few minutes?" Damian asked. "I'll meet you downstairs." "Sure thing," she sent him a secretive sort of smile before leaving the room. "So," Damian said walking over to his desk. "What brings you by, Henry?" "Harry," he corrected. "I just wanted to meet you. Hermione speaks highly of you." Damian looked over at him. "Funny, she hasn't mentioned you at all." "I only just arrived," Harry explained, liking the man less and less. "And I have been out of town," Damian said smoothly. "But, that's changed now. I couldn't stay away from my wife and my daughter." "Understandable," Harry nodded. "So I hear you do work at the orphanage as well?" Damian shrugged. "When I can." "I'm sure they appreciate it," Harry said, trying to put his finger on what he disliked so much about this man. "I'm sure they do," Damian said taking a seat behind his desk. "Hermione and Bella weren't in school today," Harry said sitting down, too. "They were sick," Damian replied shortly. "They seemed pretty healthy to me," Harry said. "When I saw them yesterday." Damian glared at him for a moment. "It was a bug." "Maybe I'll stop by and see for myself," Harry countered. "I don't like anyone bothering my wife and daughter while they're sick," Damian said evenly. "Why's that?" Harry asked. "They need to get the proper amount of rest," Damian glared at him. "For just a bug?" Harry asked. "I think I know a proper treatment, being a doctor and all," Damian said coldly. "IF you don't mind, I have some real appointments to keep." "I wouldn't want to keep you," Harry said standing up and extending his hand. Damian eyed it for a moment then gave it a quick, dismissive shake. "You have an amazing little girl," Harry told him. "I know," he replied. "Do you?" Harry asked, before he could stop himself. "I know my own family," Damian snapped at him. "Goodbye, Mr. Potter." "Nice to meet you," Harry said coldly. Damian ushered him out the door then shut it in his face. "Arse," Harry muttered. He saw now why Hermione had to get her husband's approval for everything. The guy was a bonafide wanker. He just hoped he hadn't made things worse for his best friend and her daughter. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He went back to the orphanage, not quite wanting to head to his hotel room just yet. Harry walked by Hermione's classroom and was surprised to hear voices coming from inside. He opened the door and saw Tilly with Bella. "Harry," Bella said rushing into his arms. "Bella!" he said, picking the little girl up. "Are you feeling better?" Bella shook her head and buried her face in his shoulder. "What's wrong?" Harry asked concerned. Tilly stepped forward. "We're here to pick up some work for Mrs. Conaghan." "Mummy's still not good," Bella said quietly. Harry patted her back in a comforting manner. "I'm sure she'll be okay, sweetheart." Bella only shook her head and buried her face in his shoulder. She knew she had just met Harry, but he was safe. "You're trembling," Harry said softly. "She's okay, monsieur," Tilly said quickly, taking the little girl from him. "No," Harry said. "She's not." "I'll take care of her," Tilly insisted. "Bella," Harry said looking at the little girl. "You can tell me anything. You know that, right? I want to help you and your mummy." "We're okay," Bella whispered. "We should be going," Tilly said. "I don't want to leave Mrs. Conaghan for very long." "Does she really have the flu?" Harry asked directly. "Bella, grab those books for me," Tilly told the little girl. "Okay," Bella scurried over to the desk. "You're making this worse, monsieur," Tilly told Harry in a quiet voice. "Please. Just leave this alone." "I can't," Harry said. "No way." "Come along, Bella," Tilly said. "Bye Harry," Bella glanced at him with large, sad eyes. She was so different from the little girl he'd gone swimming with yesterday. "Bella, tell your mum that I'm here if she needs me," Harry called after her. "I'm here for you both..." "Okay," Bella said, hurrying out of the room. Harry could tell the little girl wanted to tell him something. What was holding her back? What was really wrong with Hermione? And why did that maid think that he was making things worse? "Bella!" he called after her. Bella turned around. "I just want you to know..." Harry stopped. "I'll help you any way I can, okay?" "Let's go Mademoiselle Bella," Tilly said, giving Harry a look. Bella nodded and then turned and walked away with Tilly. Harry watched them go, determined more than ever to find out what was going on once those doors were closed. At the house, Hermione was just waking up from her kip. Every bone in her body ached and she could only imagine what her face must look like. With much effort, she climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom. She winced at her reflection, noticing that her eye was already turning purplish blue. Hopefully the bruise would fade fast this time. The bedroom door opened and Hermione turned expecting to see Tilly and Bella. Hermione had sent the maid to pick up some work for her at the school and she'd asked her to take Bella along to get the little girl out of the house. But, it wasn't Bella or Tilly that greeted her. It was Damian. "How are you feeling, love?" Damian asked as if nothing had happened that morning. Hermione didn't say anything, only turned back to the mirror. "I can help you," Damian said coming up behind her. "I'll fix you up straightaway." "Just leave me be, Damian," Hermione said. "Don't be like this," Damian said softly. "I hate what I did to you, but you asked for it, Hermione." "How?" Hermione asked. "Your friend, Harry," Damian said in a tone that implied the answer should have been obvious. "Stephanie Drake saw you with him at the pool. Told her husband and God knows who else that she saw you hanging all over him. I'm your husband, Hermione. You needed to be reminded of that." "I know you're my husband," Hermione replied shortly, wetting a towel with icy cold water and pressing it to her eye. "And we were just swimming. That's all." "He came by the hospital," Damian told her. "He did?" Hermione asked in surprise. "Why?" "I was hoping you could tell me," Damian said. "How would I know?" Hermione asked, turning back to the counter and looking for some salve to put on her split lip. Damian folded his arms and watched her. "I thought you'd sent him. He's a little too curious for his own good, Hermione." "I had nothing to do with it," Hermione said curtly. "I've been here in bed all day." Damian came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. "I love you, Hermione. I'll do anything to keep you." Hermione bent her head. "I'm not going anywhere, Damian." "That's what I like to hear," Damian said putting his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. "It's so much better when we understand each other." Hermione wanted to tell him how much she loathed him, how much she wanted to just pick up and leave before she did something worse, but bit her tongue for her daughter's sake. She would do anything to spare Bella from Damian's wrath. "Madame," Tilly called out from the other side of the door. "I have your assignments." "Come in," Damian called before Hermione could answer. The door opened and Bella clung to Tilly when she saw her father was home. "Sweetheart!" Damian exclaimed holding out his arms. "Come here and give your old Dad a hug." "I don't want to," Bella said in a small voice. Damian chuckled. "Sweetheart, your mummy and I just had a fight is all. Everything's fine." "Its okay baby," Hermione said, the words nearly choking in her throat. Damian frowned. "Fine. I'll see you both at dinner. I'll be in my office." Bella ran to her mother the moment Damian left. "I don't want to hug him," she whispered. "You don't have to, sweetheart," Hermione said holding her tightly. "I'm just---I'm just so glad that you're home." Tilly excused herself to make dinner leaving mother and daughter alone. "I saw Harry, Mummy," Bella confessed. "You did?" Hermione asked. "What... what did he say?" "He said that---he said that he would help us," Bella said softly looking up at her mother. Hermione bit her lower lip. Bella looked down. "I didn't tell him, Mummy. I didn't tell him what Daddy did." "We can't tell anyone baby," Hermione said quietly. "Not ever." Bella looked up at her mother. "Why does Daddy do that?" "I don't know," Hermione said. "I just don't know..." "He never plays with me," Bella said thoughtfully. "He never helps me with my homework or lets me play around him." Hermione nodded without saying anything. "I wish he'd go away," Bella said wiping at her eyes. "Go away and never come back!" Hermione knelt down and pulled her daughter to her. "I won't ever let him do this to you baby. I promise." "I don't want him to do that to you," Bella said quietly. "Ever again." Hermione kissed the side of Bella's head. "Let's go have something to eat okay?" Bella nodded. She just hoped her father would not join them. Hermione fixed her face up as best she could before heading downstairs with Bella. Unfortunately, Damian was waiting for them. He was drinking a beer and reading that day's newspaper. "My girls," Damian said grinning at them. "I'm glad you're joining us," Hermione lied. "Where else would I be?" Damian asked folding his paper and setting it aside. He studied his wife's face. "Four or five days and I'm sure you'll be fine. Nothing makeup can't cover." Hermione didn't smile. "Right," she said, taking her seat at his left. "I called Dr. McGraw earlier," Damian said as Tilly came in with their drinks. "Why would you do that?" Hermione asked. "I wanted to find out more about this Harry Potter," Damian replied. "Seems like he's just throwing his money around..." "He's helping out children in need," Hermione said. "That's not throwing money around." "Maybe it's time I made a sizable donation," Damian said thoughtfully. "Donate some old computers..." "We have computers," Bella said in a small voice. "What?" Damian asked, turning to glare at his daughter. "Speak up, Isabella." Bella gulped. "We have computers now," she said, her voice not much higher. "And new books." "I see," Damian said tersely. "Any contribution you wanted to make to the school would be appreciated, Damian," Hermione told him. "Hmm," he grunted. "How were things in Madagascar?" Hermione asked, changing the subject. "Fine," he said. "Although I didn't exactly get to stay long." "Maybe you could go back," Bella muttered. "What was that?" Damian asked sharply. "She said she was glad that you were back," Hermione said hastily. "We both are." Damian continued to glare at his daughter for a long moment then took a long pull off his beer. "I'm sure that the hospital in Madagascar was happy to have your assistance," Hermione said as Tilly brought out the beef stew. "Of course they were," Damian answered. Hermione bit back her retort. She had heard all about some doctors having God complexes, but she'd never really seen it for herself until she'd met her husband. She could not believe that at one time, she'd found his confidence one of his more attractive qualities. "Thank you Tilly," she said as the maid served her then moved onto Bella. Bella didn't see Tilly behind her and she accidentally elbowed the maid, causing the bowl of stew to fall to the floor. "DAMN IT, ISABELLA!" Damian yelled. Bella began to cry. "I'm sorry!" she wailed. "It was an accident," Hermione told her. Damian made a move toward his daughter, but Bella looked up at him. She thought about how she wanted to hurt him like he'd hurt her mother. The glass bottle in her father's hand suddenly broke into pieces. Bella gasped. Had she just done that? How had she done that? "FUCK!" Damian shouted as the glass cut into his hand. Hermione grabbed her napkin and walked over to her husband. "Let me see...." Damian snatched the napkin away from her. "How would you know what to do?" he snapped at her. Hermione glared at him. Little did he know, she had more than enough experience healing cuts and bruises on Harry and Ron, not to mention herself. "Go get this cleaned up," he barked at the maid. Tilly nodded and hurried into the kitchen. Bella still cowered in her seat, shocked by what she'd done. "Go to your room," Damian said to Bella. Bella nodded and hurried out of the dining room. "She didn't do anything," Hermione told him. "Damian--" "I'm going to the hospital," Damian said glaring at his wife. "I'm going to have someone check this out." "I'll help you," Hermione said. "Stay the hell away from me," Damian barked before stalking out of the kitchen. Hermione sank back onto her chair and sighed. "I'm sorry Madame," Tilly apologised, coming back in with a towel. "It was just an accident," Hermione told her. Tilly nodded. "Monsieur left for the hospital." "Yes," Hermione nodded. "Tilly, I'm going to check on Bella." "Of course, Madame," Tilly said. Bella was in her bedroom, curled up on her bed, cradling her stuffed dragon. "Baby?" Hermione asked from the doorway. "It's me, Mummy." "Did Daddy hit you again?" she asked in a tiny voice. Hermione shook her head. "No, baby. He's gone to the hospital to have someone look at his hand." "I didn't mean to bump into Tilly," Bella said, sniffling. Hermione sat down on her daughter's bed and ran her hand through Bella's hair. "It was an accident." Bella nodded. "Just an accident," Hermione said softly. Bella turned and hugged her mother tightly. "What happened with the bottle?" Hermione asked. "I thought Daddy squeezed it too hard, but..." Bella hesitated. "I wanted it to break and then it did." Hermione looked at her daughter. "You didn't do anything wrong, sweetheart." "What does it mean?" Bella asked. Hermione debated telling her daughter what this all could mean. One isolated incident did not mean that Bella was magical, but it was a pretty powerful indicator. She decided to wait and speak to Harry about it before she did anything else. "I don't know," Hermione said, which was the truth. "Don't you think on it now, Bella." Bella didn't look convinced. "I'm still hungry," she said quietly. "Me too," Hermione said. "Tell you what, how about you and I eat in here and then we'll play a game. You keep telling me that you want to beat me at Candy Land, right?" Bella managed a tiny smile. "Just because I've never won a game doesn't mean I'm not due," Hermione teased. "Okay," Bella said. "I'll be right back," Hermione promised kissing her daughter on the cheek. "I'm going to wash my face," Bella set her dragon aside. "Good idea," Hermione said. She headed downstairs and asked Tilly to prepare a tray and bring it upstairs. As she passed her desk, she remembered stuffing the card with Harry's number in her desk. She detoured in and pulled it out from her hiding spot. She didn't want Damian to find certain things so she'd found a way to make a false drawer in her desk. She hesitated just a moment before picking up the phone and dialling the number. "Hallo?" Harry's voice immediately came over the line. "Harry?" Hermione asked uncertainly. She was already second guessing her decision to make this call. "Hermione!" Harry said. "Hi," Hermione said quietly. "I, um, Bella said she'd seen you earlier." "Yeah," Harry said. "She was terrified of something, Hermione. She couldn't stop trembling." "I know," Hermione said. "She's fine now. We both are." "Hermione..." Harry began. "You went to see Damian?" Hermione asked. "Why did you do that, Harry?" Harry sighed. "I had to meet him, Hermione." "Why?" Hermione asked. "Harry, I'm---I don't know what I am..." "I want to help you," Harry said. "You're not happy, Hermione." Hermione swallowed the lump in her throat. "I can't---" "I just want you to be happy," Harry said softly. "You don't need to get messed up in this," Hermione warned. "I already am," Harry told her. "You weren't just sick today, were you?" "No," Hermione admitted. "I-I can't let you see me like this." "See you like what?" Harry asked. Hermione didn't answer. "Is he there now?" Harry asked. "No," Hermione said quietly. "I'm coming over then," Harry said. "Now." "No," Hermione said quickly. "Bella's going to bed and I'm tired too. Don't come." "When?" Harry pressed. "I don't know," Hermione said. "But now isn't a good time." "Will you be at school tomorrow?" Harry asked. "I don't know," she said again. "You once told me that you trusted me more than anyone else," Harry said. "I know that was a long time ago, but..." "Things are different now," Hermione said. "I told you that." "Some things haven't changed," Harry said intently. "I would do anything to protect you." Hermione blinked back tears. "I have to go. But I'm okay. Don't worry about me." Harry sighed. "How about telling me not to breathe?" "Just don't," Hermione said. "I'm married to Damian and that's not going to change. Dredging this up now is only going to hurt everyone." "Why did you call me?" Harry asked her. "If you really wanted me out of this, why call me?" "I don't know," Hermione said. "I just... wanted to tell you that I'm okay." "I'm here," he said softly. "And I'm not going anywhere." "See you later," Hermione said quickly before hanging up. Hermione collected herself before sticking the card back in its secret place. She hurried upstairs to eat with her daughter. In the hotel room, Harry was still staring at his phone, wondering what in the world was going on. It was taking every ounce of willpower he had not to go over to the Conaghan residence right now. He was still tempted to- or even to go to the hospital again to see if Damian was there and ask him what the hell his problem was. It was just gone eight in the evening in Johannesburg. Harry knew that it was an hour earlier in London. He had to take the chance that Hermione's parents would talk to him. He dialled the number he hadn't forgotten in ten years and hoped one of them would answer. "Hello?" Dr. Elinore Granger answered on the fourth ring. "Dr. Granger?" Harry asked. "This is Harry Potter." "Harry Potter?" Elinore asked after a moment. "I used to be friends with your daughter," Harry said. "I know who you are," Elinore replied. "I'm in Johannesburg," Harry said. "I've been helping at the orphanage Hermione teaches at." "You found her," Elinore said quietly. "I think she's in trouble," Harry said. "I haven't seen or heard from my daughter in almost nine years," Elinore said her voice breaking. "I don't even know my only grandchild." "What?" Harry asked in shock. "Damian shut us out of her life," Elinore said, sniffling. Harry was speechless. "But..." Harry did not expect Elinore Granger would tell him as much as she did in the next half hour. She told him about how she and Robert had set their daughter up with the dashing young medical student. She told him about how they'd fallen for Damian's charms just like their daughter had. "He's not what he seems, Harry." Elinore said. "I'm beginning to see that," Harry commented. "We knew she was in South Africa," Elinore said. "But, he doesn't allow her to take our calls and he tracks their mail. All of our letters have been returned. After awhile, we just stopped. My heart couldn't take it." "I'm so sorry," Harry said quietly. "No," Elinore said. "I'm the one who should be sorry. You were never anything but kind to our little girl and we just couldn't understand." "There was a lot of misunderstanding," Harry said. "And I'm going to do what I can to help her and Bella. You'd be proud of her, Dr. Granger. Bella's a wonderful child." "I want nothing more than to see them for myself and know that they’re safe," Elinore said. "I feel responsible for the way things turned out." "You shouldn't," Harry said. "No one knew." "He has a bit of a temper," Elinore cautioned him. "He always has. It's gotten him into trouble before, but he's always managed to charm his way out of it." "I met him today," Harry said. "I can see where that comes from." "Be careful, Harry," Elinore warned. "I will," Harry said. "Thanks, Dr. Granger." "Tell my daughter I love her," Elinore said quietly. "Her father and I both love her and Bella very much." "I'll tell her next time I talk to her," Harry replied, his heart heavy. "Thank you, Harry," Elinore said before ending the call. Harry stuck his phone into the drawer and lay on his bed, wondering just what the hell was going on. Hermione not having contact with her parents? Damian Conaghan had brought her here and cut her off from her family, her friends, and her magical way of life. Harry was more determined than ever now to find out what was going on with his best friend. The next morning, he was disappointed, but not surprised to see that Hermione wasn't at school. But, he did see Bella walking upstairs with Billy. Billy was talking her ear off, but Bella looked a million miles away. "Hi sweetheart," Harry said to her. "Morning, Mr. Potter," Billy said warmly. "I was just telling Bells about the doughnuts you brought to me yesterday." "How many are left?" Harry asked with a smile. "They were gone by lunch," Billy admitted. "They were so good!" Harry shook his head and turned to Bella. "How's your mum feeling?" Bella did not answer him. "Bella?" Harry knelt down in front of her. Bella's lower lip trembled. This morning, she had not wanted to leave her mother's side. But, Hermione had insisted. To make matters worse, it was her father who had seen her to school that morning. Bella had been so nervous, she had not said a word. "Come with me a moment," Harry took her hand. "I have my lessons," Bella protested. "I'll write you a note if you're late," Harry said. Reluctantly, Bella followed Harry into his office. "You can tell me if something's wrong," Harry said. "Something with your father?" "I broke the bottle," Bella said in a voice barely above a whisper. "Broke what?" Harry asked. "The bottle," Bella said looking up at Harry with tears in her eyes. "Daddy was really, really mad because I made Tilly drop the stew. He yelled at me---and I just---I wanted---" "You broke a bottle?" Harry asked. "Daddy was holding it and I wanted to make him hurt like he hurt Mummy," Bella said in a small voice. "I just thought really, really hard and it broke in his hand." Harry stared at her in shock. Bella started to sob as she recalled all too vividly what had happened. "What do you mean hurt him like he hurt your mummy?" Harry asked gently. Bella could no longer hold herself back and spilled out to Harry why Hermione had been gone the previous day. "It was really, really bad," Bella said wiping at her eyes. Harry was astounded. "Bella, sweetheart... does he do that to you, too?" Bella shook her head. "No, just Mummy." Harry ran his hands through his hair. "How... how often does he... do that?" Bella shrugged. "Sometimes, I don't see it. Mummy tries to hide it." Harry nodded. "Okay. I'm glad you told me, Bella." "He's scary," Bella said, starting to cry again. Harry reached for the little girl and gave her a hug. Bella sobbed into his shoulder. Harry patted her back. "It's going to be okay," he told her. "How?" Bella asked him. "I'm not sure yet," he said. "I'm not supposed to tell," Bella said frantically. "Don't worry about it," Harry told her. “You did the right thing.” Bella nodded and gave him another hug. She wanted to believe him. "Come on, I'll take you to your class," Harry said, handing her a tissue "Okay," Bella said using the tissue to wipe away her tears. "That's a girl," Harry said. Harry was still trying to process this information, while keeping his own emotions in check. Bella was still sniffling a bit as he led her towards Mrs. Morando's classroom. "Everything's going to be fine," Harry tried to reassure her. Bella only shrugged. "I hope so," she whispered. "I don't want anything to happen to my mummy." "Nothing is going to happen to your mummy," Harry promised her. "You can count on that." Bella nodded. "Okay." Harry gave her a hug before he sent her inside the classroom. He had to see Hermione. He told Dr. McGraw he had to run a few errands and set out for the Conaghan household. He did not care of Damian Conaghan himself opened the door when he got there. Harry was going to see Hermione and get to the bottom of this. He knocked on the door and wasn't surprised to see Tilly answer it. "I need to see Hermione." "Mrs. Conaghan is resting," Tilly replied, but Harry pushed past the maid and into the house. "Monsieur!" Tilly protested. "You can't go up there!" "She needs my help," Harry glared at her. "And if you're a loyal employee, you'll let me do it." Tilly stood back. "Top of the stairs. Second door on the right." "Thank you," Harry said. Harry took the steps two at a time. He knocked on the bedroom door. "I'm not hungry, Tilly," Hermione called out. "It's not Tilly," Harry replied. "Harry?" "Yeah," he said. "Please go," Hermione called back. "No," Harry said. "Bella told me everything." Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. She couldn't let him see her like this. Before she could answer him, the bedroom door slowly opened. "No," Hermione raced for her bathroom. "Harry get out of here." "Hermione," Harry reached the bathroom just as she shut the door. "Please. I know what he did; what he's done." "Just go away!" Hermione said. "I told you last night not to involve yourself!" "I'm in this," Harry said, leaning against the door. "Please let me in." "No!" she snapped. "Fine," Harry said stubbornly. "I have all day." Hermione hated Harry in that moment almost as much as she hated Damian for doing this to her. "So do I." "Good," Harry said folding his arms. Hermione sat against the door and closed her eyes. "Nice weather we're having," Harry commented, knowing how she disliked idle chit chat. "Very nice indeed." Hermione didn't respond. Instead she walked over to the large bathtub in the corner and ran some hot water into it. "I could bring Ginny over here and she can talk to you all about the latest fashions," Harry tried again. Hermione smiled to herself. She could barely hear him over the running water. Harry pulled his wand out of his pocket and pointed it at the door. "Alohomora!" The door clicked open and he smiled. "A clever witch taught me that first year." "You bastard!" Hermione cried out. The triumphant smile on Harry's face fell as he took in the sight of his best friend. "Get out!" Hermione shouted angrily. "GET OUT!" Harry shook his head. "Hermione..." "How dare you just walk in here!" Hermione whipped around so he couldn't see her face. Harry walked up behind her and put his hand on her shoulder. "Did he do this to you?" "I told you not to worry about me," Hermione shrugged him off. "Hermione," Harry pleaded. "Did he do this to you?" "Get out of here," Hermione repeated. "How much longer before he raises his hand to Bella?" Harry asked her. "I don't want to talk about this with you," Hermione shut the water off then strode out of the loo. "How about I discuss it with that bastard you're married to?" Harry countered. "I'd be all too happy to have him on the end of this wand." Hermione climbed back into her bed. "Tilly!" Harry could barely look at Hermione. In his entire life, he'd only killed one other person. The need he'd had to kill Voldemort paled in comparison to the way he felt about Damian Conaghan at that moment. "Tilly!" Hermione shouted again. "Madame?" Tilly asked coming into the room. "Please escort Mr. Potter to the front door," Hermione said. "I need to rest." "I'm not going anywhere," Harry said firmly. "You need to leave, Monsieur," Tilly said to him. "We must respect Madame's wishes." "Madame wants me here," Harry said looking right into Hermione's eyes. "She just doesn't want to admit it." "No I don't," Hermione answered. "Fine," Harry said. "I'll go." Hermione turned the other way, relieved. Harry stepped forward and pulled back the covers. He reached down and picked up Hermione. "I'm taking you with me." 9. Torn ------- **Thanks again to all you who reviewed! We really appreciate the fact that you guys are taking the time to tell us what you think. We’re still hoping a few of you will go over to Last Dance and give some love there- we really want to know if the interest is still there!** **Also- remember where Hermione is coming from in this story. She’s spent the past 9 years with Damian who has beaten her down time and again- and sometimes when you hear something enough, you start to believe it.** **Torn- Natalie Imbruglia** **I thought I saw a man brought to life He was warm, he came around like he was dignified He showed me what it was to cry Well you couldnt be that man I adored You dont seem to know, dont seem to care what your heart is for But I dont know him anymore Theres nothing where he used to lie My conversation has run dry Thats whats going on, nothings fine Im torn Im all out of faith, this is how I feel Im cold and I am shamed lying naked on the floor Illusion never changed into something real Im wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn Youre a little late, Im already torn** "GET AWAY FROM ME!" she screamed. "Monsieur!" Tilly protested. Hermione beat at him with her fists. "Good afternoon, Tilly," Harry said making a move for the door. "This is kidnapping!" Hermione exclaimed. "Not to mention totally barbaric!" "And what he's doing to you isn't?" Harry returned. "Harry James Potter," Hermione ordered. "You put me down right now!" "No," Harry said. "Put me down NOW or I'll press charges against YOU!" she shouted. "Chance I'm going to have to take," Harry said carrying her down the stairs. "NO!" she screamed. "DAMMIT HARRY!" "Would you stay still?" Harry hissed at her. "I'm going to Apparate us back to my hotel, but you'll splinch yourself with the way you're carrying on." "I don't care," she hissed. "You have no idea what you're doing, what you COULD do to Bella!" "I'm doing this for you and Bella," Harry said. "I'll pick her up myself when school's finished for the day." "NO!" she said, finally pushing at him hard enough to free herself. "Just leave me alone, Harry Potter! You can't do anything here so just GO AWAY!" "Would you quit being so bloody stubborn and let me help you?" Harry asked angrily. "I don't want your help, Harry." Hermione glared at him. "Just leave me and my family alone." "You're crazy if you think I'm leaving you alone with that maniac," Harry told her. "Go. Away." Hermione repeated, her teeth clenched. "No," Harry replied. "You can go back upstairs if you want. I'll stay down here and help Tilly." "I don't need any help, Monsieur," Tilly had followed them down. "If Madame wants you to leave, then you should go." "I'll call the police," Hermione warned. "You're trespassing." Harry just stared at her. "Why won't you let me help you?" "It happened once," Hermione lied. "He was upset and stressed out. He's promised it will not happen again. I believe him. See? Nothing to worry about." Harry shook his head. "Your daughter was scared to death," Harry told her. "She was shaking, Hermione. She didn't want to tell me. Is that how you want her to grow up?" "Don't you dare tell me how to raise my daughter," Hermione snapped at him. Harry put his head in his hands. "I'm not telling you how to raise her, Hermione. I only want to help." "You can't," she said shortly. "So just leave. We're done, Harry." Harry stepped forward. "I'll go, but if he lays one finger on you or Bella again, I swear I'm going to kill him." "Stay out of my life, Harry." Hermione told him. "I'm serious, Hermione," Harry said levelling his gaze at her. "You might be afraid of him, but I'm sure the hell not." "Just leave," Hermione said. "We won't be talking to each other at the orphanage anymore, Harry. We aren't friends. You need to let me live my life." Harry gave her one last look before he reluctantly opened the front door. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief once Harry had gone. "Madame," Tilly said. "He wants to help you." "No one can help me, Tilly. Not with Damian. He's got me backed into a corner." Hermione told her. "You could run away with the child," Tilly suggested. "I'm sure Monsieur Potter would help..." "He'd find us, Tilly." Hermione said. "And he'd take Bella away from me." "Oh, Madame," Tilly said sadly. "I'm truly sorry." Hermione sighed. "I'm going back to bed." Harry was still outside of Hermione's house, pacing on the porch. He was so angry, with Damian and with Hermione. He could get her out of this so easily, but she refused his help. He had half a mind to go back in there and insist she listen to him, but he knew better. Hermione was the most stubborn person he knew. Damian had to have something on Hermione. That was the only explanation for this. She did not love that man; not after all the horrible things he had done. He headed back towards the orphanage on foot, hoping he would remember his way. It was hard to believe he'd been here only a week. The simple fact remained that he was still in love with Hermione and there was nothing he would not do for her. He had meant what he had told her. It was taking all the willpower he had not to go to the hospital and strangle the breath out of that bastard for what he had done. He had thought about pulling Bella back into his office that day but thought better of it. No doubt she'd go home and tell Hermione about it. An idea came to him and he knew it was risky, but there was no way he was going to allow Damian the chance to be alone with Hermione and Bella. He was calling in a huge favour, but it was a chance he was willing to take. With a sigh, he picked up his mobile and entered the number for directory assistance. After a few moments, he found himself asking for Dr. Cho Chang, a resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the States. "Chang," Cho's business-like voice greeted him. "Cho," Harry said pulling out every ounce of charm he had. "It's Harry. Harry Potter." "Harry?" Cho asked in surprise. "Yeah," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "How are you?" "Fine," Cho said. "Why... what... why are you calling?" "Can't a bloke just call and chat with one of his oldest friends?" Harry asked, knowing while he said it that she would not buy that excuse for a second. "Not when it's you," she said bluntly. "Okay," Harry confessed. "I do need a favour." "I knew as much," Cho said smugly. "What's on your mind?" "Have you heard of Dr. Damian Conaghan?" Harry asked her. He did not have to see her to know she was probably rolling her eyes. "Look, he's a doctor at a hospital here in Johannesburg. I need to get him out of town as soon as possible." "What do you need me for?" Cho asked. "Well," Harry said. "You are a resident at one of the top hospitals in the world, aren't you? This bloke thrives on having his ego stroked. If you were to call him and say that you needed him to consult on a case, he'd be out of here so fast..." "Well first I'd like to know why you need this bloke out of town?" Cho asked. Harry knew there was no love lost between Cho and Hermione, but he knew that Cho was a compassionate person. At least, he hoped she was. "This can't be repeated, Cho. I mean it." "You have my word," Cho promised. So, Harry told her everything that he knew so far. "She refused to leave him, Cho. I can't stand by and take the chance that he'll hurt her or her daughter again." "So what is getting him out of town going to do if she doesn't want your help?" Cho asked. "Give her and her daughter peace of mind," Harry said. "And give me time to find out some way out of this mess." "I'll try," Cho said. "But I can't guarantee anything. I'll have to find a case I might need a consult on before I can do anything." Harry smiled. "The man's an egomaniac, Cho. You could tell him you need a consult on a broken arm and he'd be there in a second." "I'll do what I can," Cho said. "But you owe me." "I know," Harry said. "Thanks, Cho. I mean it." "Talk to you soon, Potter." Cho said. "Thanks again," Harry said gratefully. He hung up with his ex, feeling a bit better. At least having Damian out of the picture would get him away from Hermione and Bella, if it was the least he could do. He decided to go to the cafeteria to grab some lunch and to check on Bella and Billy. He saw the little brunette girl sitting in the corner by herself. He walked over to her table and sat down. "Hey, Bella." Bella jumped. "Hi..." "Where's your partner in crime?" Harry asked. "Who?" Bella asked. "Billy the Kid," Harry replied. "He's in trouble," Bella said quietly. "Trouble?" Harry asked. "Someone made fun of him about his mummy," Bella said. "So he's in Dr. McGraw's office. Harry frowned. "What did he do?" "Called him some mean names." Bella answered. "I see," Harry said. "I suppose I should go and check on him." "Dr. McGraw says he has to eat lunch alone in the office," Bella told him. "Dr. McGraw reminds me of Professor McGonagall," Harry commented. "Who?" Bella asked. "She was the Dr. McGraw at my school," Harry told her. "She used to scare the trousers off of my best friend, Ron." Bella cracked a tiny smile. "She loved your mum though," Harry said. "McGonagall said she never had favourites, but everyone knew she adored your mum." "She did?" Bella asked. Harry nodded. "It helped that your mother was the top of our class." "Mummy says I'm smart like she used to be," Bella took a drink of her juice. "Your mum is still smart," Harry laughed. "And you are very smart. That's what everyone here tells me." Bella didn't say anything else. She just reached for her fork. "Bella?" Harry asked. "I want you to know that what's happened isn't your fault." Bella nodded. "And I'm glad that you trusted me enough to tell me the truth," Harry said reaching for her hand. "I didn't mean to," Bella said quietly. "Mummy said I should never tell. I just got scared." "You were right to tell me," Harry told her. "And I'm going to make sure he never hurts you or your mum ever again." Bella only shrugged. "I'm not hungry anymore," she pushed her tray away. Harry wished he knew something else he could do to make that little girl feel safe. "Bye Harry," Bella said, sliding out of her seat. "Bye, Bella," Harry said watching her go. Bella hurried back to Mrs. Morando's room, wanting to be alone for a few minutes. To her surprise, Billy was sitting at his desk, reading. "I thought you were in Dr. McGraw's office?" Billy shrugged. "I finished lunch and she told me to come up here and read." "What are you reading?" Bella asked. "Charlotte's Web," Billy said holding it up for her to see. "The book you gave me." Bella smiled. "That's my favourite." "You remind me of Fern," Billy told her. "Except I don't own a pig," Bella replied. Billy smiled. "I was going to say that I'm kind of like Wilbur. And Fern saved Wilbur. Kind of like how you're always saving me." Bella blushed. He did not tell Bella that he had read the book four times since she'd loaned him her copy. Or that he'd stolen a flashlight from one of the teachers to read in his bed after the lights went out. "I'll find another one for you tomorrow," Bella promised. "Thanks," Billy said looking at her. "Are you okay?" Bella shrugged. "Come on, Bells," Billy said closing the book. "Tell me." Bella shook her head. She was sure she'd already caused enough problems for her mother by telling Harry. "Your mum will feel better soon," Billy said, thinking that was what was bothering her. "I hope so," Bella whispered, sitting down. "I can't wait 'til we go to that pool again," Billy said. "That was fun. Mr. Potter's not that bad." "I don't think we'll get to go for awhile," Bella said. "Why not?" Billy asked. "Just don't think we will," Bella hedged. "Oh," Billy frowned. "Well, that's okay. I mean, we can still play here." Bella nodded. "Sure." "I need to teach you how to play football," Billy grinned. Bella made a face. "I don't like sport." "Come on," Billy said rolling his eyes. "It's fun." "I'll stick to reading." Bella said. "You can watch me then," Billy said grinning at her. "Because I'm brilliant." Bella had to smile. "Okay." Bella felt a little better talking to her friend and she tried not to think about later that afternoon when her father would be picking her up to take her home. Her father, meanwhile, had just finished talking with Dr. Carlos Morales from Johns Hopkins University. Damian had been doing rounds when he'd received a page. His secretary told him that he had a call from the States. It was Damian's dream that he would one day practise medicine in the States at one of the top hospitals. "We've heard of you and would like your input on a case we're studying here," the doctor had told him. "What sort of case?" Damian asked, trying to not sound too excited. "St. Louis Encephalitis," the doctor had replied. "I wrote an article on that," Damian said. "That's exactly why we want you here," Dr. Morales explained. "It'd be for three weeks, if you can take that sort of time." Damian grinned. "Can you hold on a second? I need to check with my secretary." "Of course," Dr. Morales replied. Damian placed the call on hold. He did not care if he was booked for the next three weeks. There was no way in the world that he was going to turn this opportunity down. "Clear my schedule," he said to his secretary. "I'm going to the states for three weeks." "Yes, sir," his secretary replied. "Should I look into accommodations for you, too?" "Yes," Damian commanded. "Five star." His secretary nodded and hurried out of the office. Damian picked up the phone again and announced to Dr. Morales that he would be happy to consult on the case and he'd be in Baltimore by tomorrow afternoon. Damian was glad. He'd be able to get the hell out of his dirt hole of a hospital and sink his hooks into a real position elsewhere. He cleared his schedule for the rest of the day and headed home to tell Hermione of his plans and to pack. Hermione had just awoken from a kip and was icing her lip when her husband suddenly appeared in the doorway. "Damian, what are you doing home?" Hermione asked. "I'm going to the States," Damian announced. "What?" Hermione asked, sitting further up in bed. "Why? When?" "To help with a case," Damian said. "Right now." Hermione watched her husband as he grabbed his suitcase from the closet and started packing. He told her about how a doctor from Johns Hopkins had called and asked him for a consult. "That's fantastic," Hermione said. "I know this is what you've always wanted." "It is," Damian grinned at her then surprised her by spinning her around. "Damian," Hermione said wincing as he squeezed her. "What?" he asked. "It's time to celebrate, Hermione." "I'm still sore," Hermione told him quietly. Damian sighed. "You just can't be happy for me, can you?" "I am happy for you," Hermione told him. "And proud. You've worked very hard for this." "I certainly have," Damian pushed her away. "How long will you be gone?" Hermione asked. "Three weeks," he said shortly. "I'll pack for you," Hermione said taking a jumper out of his hands. "You were always rubbish at it." Damian grinned. "That's one of the reasons I married you, love. You are the best packer there ever was." Hermione forced a smile. "You won't look professional with wrinkles." Damian chuckled and sat down on the edge of the bed while Hermione began taking his clothes off of hangers and expertly folding them into the suitcase. "If things go well, this could be just the beginning, Hermione." "I hope so," she said softly. "There are some really great schools in Maryland," Damian said grinning at her. "For you and for Isabella." Hermione was startled. "You think we'll be moving there?" "I don't want to get ahead of myself," Damian said. "But, I think that it's a definite possibility. We're floundering here, Hermione." "We're doing fine, Damian," Hermione said. "And I like my job at the orphanage." "I'm not going to spend the rest of my career here," Damian told her. "I've done my penance. " "It was hard enough leaving England." Hermione argued. "You were the one who wanted to go, remember?" Damian asked her. "You said that you had some bad memories in your past. So, we moved to Paris." "Yes but--" Hermione began to argue. "If this pans out, Hermione," Damian said firmly. "We will move. End of story." "Bella won't want to leave either," Hermione said, zipping his suitcase shut. "We'll talk about this when the time comes," Damian said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a car waiting to take me to the airport." Hermione nodded silently. Damian came over to her and touched her cheek. "It's healing nicely." "I know," she said. "I'll ring you when I arrive," Damian promised. "Fine," she said, trying to contain her excitement. He was leaving, for THREE weeks! He gave her a kiss. "I love you, Hermione." "Love you too," she managed. Damian grabbed his suitcase and headed out of the bedroom. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. He was gone, for three weeks. Across the ocean. Far, far away from her and from Bella. She was so thrilled at the possibility that she wanted to share it with someone. Unfortunately, the first person that came to mind was Harry. She told herself to stay away from Harry from now on. She hated Damian, but she only had to put up with him until Bella was 18. Then she could leave him behind forever. "Madame?" Tilly asked, breaking into her thoughts. "I should pick Miss Isabella up from school, no?" "Yes, please Tilly." Hermione said. "Tell her we're going out tonight." she went into the loo to fix herself up. "You are?" Tilly asked. "Yes," Hermione nodded. "She and I are going to have a nice dinner out, and you get to have the night off." Tilly smiled. "Merci, Madame." "Thank you, Tilly." Hermione said. Hermione took a long, hot bath and felt better than she had in days. She'd have to use a lot of makeup to conceal her wounds. "It was so much easier to use magic," she said to herself. She wished she had brought her wand along with her to Johannesburg. But, that was in the past like so many other things in her life. She got out of the bathtub when she heard Bella's voice in the hallway. She put on her dressing gown and walked out of the loo in time to see her daughter standing uncertainly in the doorway. "Mummy?" "Hi baby," Hermione smiled at her. "Guess what." Bella's lower lip trembled. "I'm sorry I told Harry, Mummy." "Oh sweetheart, come here," Hermione held open her arms. Bella ran into her mother's arms and hugged her tightly. "I didn't mean to. Honest." "You know what?" Hermione said. "It doesn't matter. Because your father went to America for three weeks." "He did?" Bella asked pulling away to look at her mother. "Really?" Hermione nodded. "So we're going out for dinner. To our favourite restaurant." Bella smiled. "Really?" "Absolutely," Hermione said, choosing not to mention Harry's visit that morning. Bella hugged her mother again. Three whole weeks without her father! Hermione kissed the top of her head. "Go get ready, baby." Bella nodded and hurried out of the room. Hermione actually felt better than she had in weeks as she tied her hair back and dabbed makeup over her bruises. The finished look was not that bad, she thought. Besides, the restaurant would be dimly lit. She pulled a long sleeved jumper on to hide her arms then went to collect her daughter. Across town, Harry was just sitting down to dinner with Ron and Luna. His two friends had arrived an hour ago after Harry had sent them an owl. He needed a different perspective and he knew that Ron and Luna would help. "This is a beautiful town," Luna said. "I still can't believe you actually got Cho Chang to do you a favour," Ron said as he scanned the menu. "I mean, she hated you and let's not forget that she's never liked Hermione." "I think she knew I was desperate," Harry replied. "Which she probably enjoyed," Ron said. "Most likely," Harry shook his head. "Ronald, do you know what you're going to get?" Luna asked. "Everything looks so good," Ron said, his eyes gleaming. Luna looked dreamily at him. "I love that look on your face..." Ron grinned at her. Harry laughed. "Okay, lovebirds..." "He's just so good looking," Luna sighed. "I am," Ron said puffing out his chest. Harry rolled his eyes. "We'll behave," Luna promised. "For now," Ron added. Harry distracted Ron and Luna by asking them about what was going on at Hogwarts. They regaled him with stories about students and their fellow professors. "McGonagall is crazy if she thinks I'm going to supervise those sprogs for a Hogsmeade weekend..." "We'll go together," Luna said. "Besides, I thought you liked those sprogs," Harry told him. "Sometimes," Ron said. "As long as I have time for Honeydukes, I'm okay." "...chicken strips first," Harry heard a familiar little girl's voice. "And then chips..." He swivelled around in the chair so fast he pulled his back. Hermione and Bella stopped in their tracks when they saw him. The hostess turned. "Miss? Right this way..." "Of course," Hermione prodded Bella forward and looked away from Harry. She hadn't noticed Ron and Luna at the table. "Oi!" Ron exclaimed. "Hermione Jane Granger!" Luna put her hand on Ron's arm. "Ronald, shhhhhhh!" Hermione froze at the sound of Ron's voice. "No," she whispered. "Mummy?" Bella asked confused. "One minute, baby." Hermione knew she couldn't pretend she hadn't heard them. Bella sat down in her chair and watched with wide eyes as her mother approached the two strangers and Harry. "Hello, Ron." Hermione said, ignoring Harry. "Luna." "Hello, Hermione," Luna said when Ron didn't respond. "It's lovely to see you again." "You too," Hermione nodded. "I'm sorry I can't stay- I'm having dinner with my daughter." "Why don't you join us?" Luna asked. "Please?" "I don't think so," Hermione replied softly. Bella walked over and tugged on her mother's arm. "Mummy..." Harry smiled at the little girl. "Hello, Bella. Don't you look beautiful tonight?" "Thank you," Bella whispered. "I'd like you to meet my friends," Harry told her. "This is Ron Weasley and Luna Lovegood." Bella clung shyly to Hermione's arm. "It's lovely to meet you," Luna said to the little girl. "You look just like your mum." "Thanks," Bella looked uncertainly up at her mother. "Alright, Hermione?" Ron asked after Luna elbowed him. "Fine," Hermione said. "It's lovely to see you again, Ron." Ron gaped at her. He knew that she had been through a lot, but he couldn't believe that was all that she had to say. "That's it? Ten years? Ten years since I've seen you and that's all you have to say?" "I'm not doing this here," Hermione said coolly. "We didn't know you were going to be here," Harry finally said. "Ron and Luna just arrived this afternoon." "We're just out for a dinner," Hermione said. "We won't keep you," Harry said. Hermione nodded. "Come on love," she said to Bella. Bella followed her mother back to their table. "What the hell was that all about?" Ron asked furiously. The three of them sat back down and Harry sighed. "She's been through enough, Ron." "Yeah but she acted like we're strangers," Ron said. "Not her best friends!" "To her, we are strangers," Harry said quietly. He hated the way that she had pointedly ignored him. Ron shook his head. "Let's eat." "Right," Harry agreed picking up his menu. "She's very sad," Luna gazed at Hermione and Bella. Harry nodded. "Yes, she is, but she'd never admit it." "Stubborn," Ron muttered. "But she's safe," Harry said chancing a look in her direction. "That's all that matters." "You think Cho got that bastard husband of hers out of there?" Ron asked. Harry nodded. "Yeah. They wouldn't be out if she hadn't." "I guess that's good," Ron said grudgingly. Hermione was stealing glances in their direction as well. Bella followed her mother's gaze. "Why couldn't we sit with them?" Bella asked. "Because this is our time together," Hermione replied. "Okay," she nodded. "Did you want to sit with them?" Hermione asked. "I don't know them," Bella said. Hermione smiled reassuringly at her daughter. "That's okay, sweetheart. This is our night, right? And you can get whatever you want." Bella smiled gratefully at her mother. "And I was thinking we'd stop off and pick up some books afterwards," Hermione said. "And before you ask, yes, you can buy something for Billy." "Really?" Bella perked up. "I can get a new book even after... even after I told?" Hermione reached across the table and squeezed her daughter's hand. "You did nothing wrong, sweetheart." Bella nodded. The waiter came over to take their orders and Hermione had to laugh as she watched Bella think long and hard about what she wanted. "The chicken," Bella finally decided. "And... chips. Lots of chips, please." "And for you, miss?" the waiter asked turning his attention to Hermione. "I'll have the Quiche Lorraine, please." Hermione answered. The waiter took their menus. "I'll be right back with your drinks." Hermione could not resist sneaking a look at Ron and Luna. She had known that the other girl had nursed a crush on Ron for years, but she never in a million years would have thought Ron would have reciprocated her feelings. She was happy for her former best friend. They'd tried a relationship and it was fairly obvious that things wouldn't have worked out between them. He seemed very, very happy with the blonde. Hermione watched as Luna fed a cracker to Ron. "That's really good," Ron said using his napkin to wipe his mouth. "I love watching you eat," Luna said her eyes gone glassy. "I love it when you feed me," Ron said winking at her. Harry rolled his eyes. Luna giggled. "We're making Harry uncomfortable, Ronald." "We did come all the way here to see him," Ron joked. Harry laughed. "Thank you." "But first, maybe my girl will dance with me," Ron motioned towards where a few couples were spinning around. "Since when do you dance?" Harry asked. "He doesn't," Luna giggled. Ron glared at Harry before turning his attention to his girlfriend. "Will you?" "I would love to," Luna said, her blue eyes sparkling. Ron offered her his hand and Luna smiled up at him. Harry sat back while Ron led Luna out to the dance floor. He looked over at Hermione and Bella's table where the little girl was watching the couples dancing. He decided to take a chance. He pushed his chair back and went over to their table. "Bella," he said invitingly. "Would you enjoy a dance?" Bella wanted more than anything to say yes, but she shook her head. "No, thank you." "Just one?" Harry pressed, looking over at Hermione. "I thought you understood me earlier," Hermione told him. "Just go, Harry. Please." "Hermione," Harry said. "Please- you have to understand where I was coming from. I couldn't let--" Hermione did not want to get into this in front of Bella. "Sweetheart, I'll be right back. You stay here, okay?" "Yes Mummy," Bella said. Hermione motioned for Harry to follow her back to his table. He took this as a positive sign, until he saw the look in her eyes. "I know all too well about your 'saving people thing'," Hermione said bitterly. "But I'm not yours to save, Harry!" He tried to argue but she put her hand up. "I told you to leave me and my family alone. Tonight is my night with my daughter." "Did you have to clear it with him before you came out tonight?" Harry asked, starting to get angry himself. All he wanted to do was help her and she was treating HIM like the bad guy. "Leave us be," Hermione warned him. "You can't do anything this time, Harry." "What happened in France?" Harry asked her point blank. "Goodbye, Harry." Hermione turned away. "I know he was arrested," Harry said. "I bet you know why, too." "Leave it!" Hermione snapped. "Is this man bothering you, miss?" a waiter asked Hermione. Hermione shook her head. "No, we're done here." "Hermione, wait." Harry said but she ignored him and went back to her daughter. "Damn it!" Harry exclaimed, earning a warning look from the waiter. Luna and Ron had seen this all take place and Luna shook her head. "This is awful, Ronald." "I know," Ron said darkly. "Damn her." "Ronald," Luna chastised. "She doesn't need that right now. She needs a friend." "That's what he's trying to be, Luna," Ron pointed out. "I can sense a great sadness around both of them," Luna said thoughtfully. "She wants to let him in, but she's afraid." "She knows Harry wouldn't hurt her," Ron replied. "I don't think she's worried about that," Luna said. Harry sat down again, feeling more than frustrated with Hermione. He wasn't the bad guy, but Hermione was sure as hell treating him like one. What else did he have to do? He glanced over at their table again. Hermione was talking quietly to Bella, who nodded. He loved her so much and all he wanted to do was hold her and tell her everything was going to be okay. "I was thinking, what if we got our food to go," Hermione said. "And we get to the bookstore, then go home and eat while we watch a movie?" "Oh," Bella said. "Okay." "If you want," Hermione told her. "Sure," Bella replied. "Can I pick the movie?" "Absolutely," Hermione said. Bella grinned. "Okay!” Hermione motioned to the waiter and told him they wanted their food to go. As she did so, she caught sight of Harry at his table, looking frustrated. She knew that look so well. She had seen it so many times over the years. Yet, she'd always been the one to reassure him that he could do it and that she would help him do it. But, she could not do that now. The waiter came back with two white boxes in a bag for them. She handed the waiter some money. "Thank you." "We're sorry about the disturbance earlier, ma'am," the waiter said. "If it's affected service in any way--" Hermione shook her head. "Not at all. He--he means well." The waiter nodded. "Have a nice night." "Thank you," Hermione said softly. She chanced one more look at Harry. He was looking over at her, his green eyes unreadable. Hermione let her mind wander and she saw herself walking over to his table. "Harry..." *He looked up at her hopefully. "Yeah?"* *"I love you," Hermione said softly. "I always have. I was just scared...you don't know what he's capable of..."* *"I won't let him hurt you again," Harry stood up and reached for her.* *Hermione wrapped her arms around him.* *"I was waiting for this," he said huskily.* *"Me too," Hermione said looking up at him.* *"I love you," he said softly.* *"You have no idea how long I wanted to hear that," Hermione said leaning in.* *"I've wanted to tell you for so long," Harry's fingers tangled in her hair.* *"Ten years?" Hermione asked teasingly.* *"Yeah," Harry said softly, leaning in.* *"Mummy!"* *Bella cried out.* *"What?" Hermione jumped.* *"Say goodbye to your mother, Isabella," Damian said grabbing Bella roughly by the arm.* *"Damian!" Hermione cried out. "No! You can't take her!"* *"You signed the papers," Damian reminded her icily. "You knew what would happen if you tried to leave me..."* *"But--" Hermione protested. "I'm not..."* *"Mummy!"* *Bella reached for Hermione.* *"Baby," Hermione reached for her but Damian dragged her away.* *Hermione turned to Harry for help, but to her horror, he was crumpled on the ground, crying out in pain.* *"NO!" she screamed.* "Mummy?" Bella asked tugging at her mother's hand. "Mummy?" "Bella!" Hermione gasped. Bella looked up at her mother with concern. "Are you okay, Mummy?" Hermione shook her head. "Yes..." "Are you ready to go?" Bella asked. "Of course, baby." Hermione said, taking their food. Bella took Hermione's free hand and together they left the restaurant. "You know who I blame in all this," Ron said as he and Luna sat back down. "Neville." "Why?" Luna asked. "He knew all along and never said anything to us," Ron said. "Not one word." "She made him promise not to," Harry pointed out. "Threatened to get a secret keeper, even." "Neville was being a great friend," Luna said loyally. "I won't have you putting him down, Ronald." Harry nodded. "She's right." "I know he's your best mate and all, Luna," Ron said. "But come on..." "He told her he wouldn't tell, and I respect him for keeping that decision," Luna told him. "I was mad at first, too," Harry said. Ron just shook his head. "She said she wasn't mine to save," Harry said quietly. "I'm sorry mate," Ron said. "I don't know what to do," Harry admitted. "Just give her some time," Luna advised him. "You bought yourself three weeks," Ron said. "I hope so," Harry answered. The waiter came over with their food and Ron rubbed his hands together. "Can I try some of yours?" he asked Luna. Luna laughed. "Of course." "Thanks," Ron said happily. Harry picked distractedly at his own food. He could not get the image of Hermione's bruised and beaten face out of his mind. He knew she wanted nothing to do with him right now, but decided it wasn't going to stop him from trying to help her. 10. Broken ---------- **I am so sorry for not posting last night you guys! I (Heaven) am a florist and this week is MORE than hectic for me and it just slipped my mind. Please forgive me!** **Broken- Lifehouse** **The broken clock is a comfort, it helps me sleep tonight Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time I am here still waiting though i still have my doubts I am damaged at best, like you've already figured out** **I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing With a broken heart that's still beating In the pain there is healing In your name I find meaning So I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on** Hermione was feeling much better the next day so she decided to go back to work. After the fiasco last night at the restaurant, she'd enjoyed her quiet evening in with Bella. She didn't have to use as much makeup to cover her bruises and she still wore a long sleeved shirt to hide any lingering bruises on her arms. "Mrs. Conaghan!" her students shouted when she walked into the classroom. Hermione smiled. "Hello, all of you. I missed you lot!" "We missed you too!" Jess exclaimed, stepping forward to give her a hug. "We always hate it when you're not here." Hermione smiled and ruffled the top of the girl's head. "I hear you guys have been playing with new computers." Jess nodded. "We're supposed to go down to the library again today." "Good," Hermione nodded. "And has everyone been taking advantage of the new books we've got?" Jess nodded. "I like Dr. Seuss!" "Green Eggs and Ham is pretty funny," Joseph said from across the room. "Why don't we go around the room and you can all tell me what stories you're reading right now?" Hermione asked just as the door to her classroom opened. "Good morning everyone," Harry said. "Good morning Mrs. Conaghan." "Mr. Potter," Hermione said tersely. "I'm sorry to interrupt," Harry said, handing her a piece of paper. “I was hoping to bring Jess and Erica into my office at some point today for a chat." Hermione nodded. "You can meet with them after lunch." "Thank you," Harry said. "I appreciate it." he marked them down on the paper. "Mr. Potter!" Rebekah raised her hand. "Are you reading any books right now?" "Not at the moment," Harry said. "Can anyone give me a recommendation?" Jess hesitantly raised her hand. "I like Oh, the Places You'll Go! My grandmother used to read that to me." "I'll make a note of it," Harry nodded. "You can read it to us!" Jess exclaimed holding out the book for him. Harry shook his head. "Maybe another time. I'm sure Mrs. Conaghan has something planned..." The students all frowned and looked pleadingly at Hermione. "We've got to get started on our lessons for today," Hermione said. "We have lots to catch up on from the two days I was sick." Erica looked at Hermione. "What if he reads it really, really, really fast?" "Perhaps later," Hermione answered. Harry looked at the students. "I promise I'll read to you lot another time." A chorus of disappointed groans rose from the children. "That's what they all say," Jess sat back down. Hermione hated to disappoint the children, most of whom had already dealt with enough disappointment for a lifetime. "I-I suppose one story couldn't hurt. If Mr. Potter is willing..." "I'd love to," Harry replied with a grin. Hermione pulled out a chair and motioned for Harry to sit down. The students hurried to sit in front of him. It took about twenty minutes for Harry to read the book and he was glad to see that Hermione's students enjoyed every moment of it. "What do you say to Mr. Potter?" Hermione prompted the students. "Thank you!" they shouted. Jess and Rebekah jumped up and threw their arms around him. "Much funner than Maths," Rebekah giggled. "Which we are going to start right now," Hermione said. The class groaned as Hermione produced a stack of worksheets. She handed the stack to Jess. "Pass these out. You have ten minutes to work out these problems." "I'd better go before she gives me homework too," Harry joked. The students laughed and Harry said his goodbyes. Hermione knew she shouldn't follow him, but she couldn't stop herself. She closed the door. "You're great with them," she commented. "Thanks," he replied. "How are you doing?" "I'm okay," Hermione said. "Um, Damian was called to the states to consult on a case. So, it's just Bella and me." Harry resisted the urge to grin. "Good," he said simply. "Ron and Luna look very happy," Hermione said. "They are," Harry nodded. Hermione was at a loss as to what else to say. "I'm sorry about last night. It's just---it's really better this way." "I don't see how it can be," Harry replied. "But I'm not going to hassle you." "That's all I ask," Hermione said. Harry nodded again. "Guess I'll see you later." "See you," Hermione said looking at him. Harry dropped by a few more classrooms to sign up students he wanted to talk to. His last stop was Mrs. Morando's class. He was surprised to see that Billy was not in the class. Mrs. Morando told him that Billy was one of a group of children that were meeting with prospective parents. "Oh," Harry said, surprised he felt a tug in his stomach at that. "Mr. Potter?" Mrs. Morando asked. "Are you alright?" "Yeah," Harry said. "Sorry. Um... I was wondering if I can have Cynthia and Lara sometime this afternoon." "Of course," Mrs. Morando smiled. "Around two for Lara and then half past for Cynthia then," Harry made a note. "Thanks a lot." He smiled at Bella before leaving the classroom. Bella allowed a tiny smile back, but she'd promised her mother she'd keep her distance from Harry even though she liked him so much. Mrs. Morando was letting them draw that morning and Bella grabbed a crayon from the box. She decided to draw Billy a picture to go with the book she'd gotten him last night. She hoped that he was meeting with nice people and that one of them would want to be his new mummy and daddy. It wasn't long before he came back in and Bella moved her desk closer to his. "How'd it go?" she whispered. "Okay," he shrugged. "You missed Harry," Bella told him. "I did?" he frowned. Bella nodded. "He wasn't here for very long though." "What did he want?" Billy asked. "Meeting with Lara and Cynthia," Bella told him as she coloured in her dragon. "I think I'm going to make this one a fire-breathing one." "Cool," Billy looked at it. "That's really good, Bells." Bella smiled at him. "It's for you." Billy grinned at her. "Thanks." "I've got something else for you too," Bella said reaching into her backpack for the books she'd gotten for him. "These are for me?" he asked in surprise. Bella nodded. "I picked ones that I thought you'd like." "This one looks really cool," Billy said, admiring the shiny cover of a book about dragons. "It is," Bella said. "I've read it three times." Billy grinned at her and tucked the books away. "What are you going to draw?" Bella asked as he grabbed some crayons from the bucket. "I don't know yet," he said. "Some of the other kids are supposed to go down at recess and play football with Harry," Bella said trying not to sound disappointed that she would not join them. "They are?" Billy asked interestedly. Bella nodded. "You should go." "I wasn't invited," Billy replied. "You weren't here when he came around," Bella pointed out. "I'm sure he'd love it if you'd join him." Billy smiled. "I hope so. I really like him." "I do, too," Bella said quietly. Billy was quiet for a moment while he drew. "You know... if someone like him wanted to be my dad, I'd let him adopt me in a second." Bella looked over at her friend. "Really?" "He probably doesn't want to," Billy said hastily. "But he'd be pretty cool." "He'd be a great daddy," Bella agreed. Billy was embarrassed he'd let that slip. He concentrated hard on drawing his picture. "He'd never hurt you," Bella said thoughtfully. "And he'd never make you think everything was your fault..." Billy looked over at her. Bella felt tears welling up in her eyes. "You okay Bells?" he asked, concerned. Bella broke out of her reverie and looked back at Billy. "I can't tell you, Billy." Billy frowned. "I want to," Bella said sadly. "But, I can't." "But we tell each other everything," he protested. "Do you promise not to tell?" Bella asked keeping her voice barely above a whisper. "I swear," Billy nodded. Bella bit her bottom lip. "Well, my daddy's gone away for awhile and I'm really, really happy about it." "Why?" Billy asked. "My daddy," Bella said. "He--he hits my mummy sometimes and he's really mean to me." Billy stopped drawing and stared at her, his mouth open. "You can't tell anyone!" Bella exclaimed. Several students looked at her. "Bella?" Mrs. Morando inquired pleasantly. "Is everything okay?" "Yes, ma’am," Bella said quickly. "I won't say anything," Billy whispered. Bella nodded. "That's why my mummy and I were out of school." Billy stared at her. His mother may have left him, but she'd never hit him. "He's in America at a big hospital right now and I hope he doesn't come back for a long, long time," Bella said softly "I hope not either," Billy said, looking back at his own drawing. "He's never hit me," Bella told him. "But...sometimes I think he wants to. The other night something really strange happened..." Billy's jaw dropped again when she told him about the bottle. "And he wasn't squeezing it?" Bella shook her head. "He was just holding it and I think I made the bottle break." "Wow," Billy said in awe. "What do you think it means?" Bella asked. "I don't know," he admitted. "It's not the first time something like that has happened either," Bella confided. "When else did it happen?" he asked. "Last summer," Bella said. "My mum had to come here and that left me with Daddy and Tilly. I wanted a biscuit really, really bad. But, Daddy said no and told me I wasn't 's’posed to get up from my seat." "What happened?" Billy asked, intrigued. "He was reading the paper," Bella recalled. "And I looked at the plate on the counter thinking I had never wanted anything so bad in my life and the biscuit...it kind of came to me..." "It just floated over to you?" Billy asked. Bella nodded. "I never told anyone. Not even Mummy." "But there's no such thing as magic," Billy said. "I know," Bella said softly. "But what else could it be?" Billy shook his head. "I don't know." "Neither do I," Bella said. "And I hate not knowing!" "Me too," Billy said. "Do you think we can figure it out?" Bella asked. "Maybe," Billy said. "We should look in some of those new books in the library. I bet we can figure something out." Bella smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks, Billy. You're the best." Billy grinned back at her. "So are you, Bells." Bella smiled. "I'm glad I told you." "And no one will hear it from me," Billy promised. Bella believed him and knew she could trust her friend. "Here," Billy pushed the drawing at her. "This one's for you." Bella looked at it. "It's a dog." "Yeah," he said sheepishly. "Not a great one..." "It's the best drawing of a dog I've ever seen," Bella said loyally. "You're just saying that," Billy replied. "But thanks." "I love it," Bella said. "I'm going to put it in my room." "Cool," Billy replied. Mrs. Morando came around and looked at the students' progress. "Finish up soon. We need to start on our maths." The students all groaned in unison. "If only I'd been downstairs a little longer," Billy joked to Bella. "You might have missed all this," Bella agreed. "It's easy for you," Billy said. "You like maths." "It's not that bad," Bella replied. "You like EVERYTHING," Billy teased. "That's cause she knows everything," Robert said from across the aisle. "I don't," Bella said. "Yeah you do," Robert replied. "You always get full marks." Bella blushed. "That's cause she's smart," Billy said loyally. Robert laughed. "She's super smart." Bella turned bright red. "Are you going to play football at recess?" Billy asked Robert, changing the subject. "Yeah!" Robert said. "It's going to be loads of fun!" "Me too," Billy said. "Mr. Potter was looking for you," Robert told him. "He kept staring over at your seat." "Oh, really?" Billy asked, smiling. "Yeah," Robert nodded. "He's pretty cool, don't you think?" Billy asked. Robert nodded again. "Yeah- he pulled me in his office yesterday." "What did you talk about?" Bella asked. "Just stuff," Robert shrugged. "How I feel about not having parents, and all that." "Oh," Billy said thoughtfully. " "Why?" Robert asked. "I was just wondering," Bella said. "He really cares about all of us. You know?" "He does," Billy nodded. It was the first time in his life anyone aside from Bella or Mrs. Conaghan had taken a real interest in him. And he liked it. *** *** *** Hermione was tired when she arrived at the orphanage in the morning. Damian had no regard for the time difference and had rung her at half past three that morning and gotten angry when she proclaimed to be tired. She knew that no matter what she did with him, it was going to be wrong. She had twelve more years to endure this. She went into her office and switched on the small coffeepot she kept in there for mornings such as this. To make matters worse, she had an appointment with Dr. McGraw. The headmistress had left her a message asking her to meet that morning regarding the recent changes. Hermione rubbed at her eyes, hoping to wake herself up and hoped she looked presentable. She gathered up her files and grabbed her coffee and headed to Dr. McGraw's office. Dr. McGraw had given Harry the use of her office for an hour so he could go over some files with Hermione. At least, that's what he had told the head of the orphanage and school. He planned on using some of the time to do that, but what he really wanted was to talk to his best friend with no interruptions from anyone. His mobile phone started to ring and Harry answered it. "Hello?" "Potter," Cho Chang's voice barked at him. "You owe me big and I mean big. What kind of letch did you send over here?" "What do you mean?" Harry asked, confused. "Damian Conaghan," Cho told him. "He keeps making these comments to me and just a few minutes ago he paged me to the on-call room. I'll give you two guesses as to what he wanted from me." Harry was shocked. "Cho... I'm sorry. I had no idea he'd do that." "Well, you should feel sorry for him," Cho said. "I kneed him in the groin and told him if he tried something like that again, I'd tell the chief of staff." Harry shook his head. "Good. That guy could use a swift kick elsewhere too." "I'll give it to him too," Cho said. "He is a brilliant doctor, but I swear, he's the most arrogant, egotistical bloke I've ever met." "Well thanks again for getting him out of here for awhile." Harry told her. "I really do owe you." "How are things going with Granger?" Cho asked him. "Could be better," he said. "How could she stomach this asshole?" Cho asked him. "I don't know," Harry said as a knock sounded on the door. "Hey I have to go." "Mary," Hermione said opening the door. "I'm sorry that I'm a little---" Harry clicked off his phone and stuffed it in his pocket as Hermione stopped still. "Where's Dr. McGraw?" she asked coolly. "She'll be in later," Harry said. "I asked her to call you and arrange the meeting." "Harry," Hermione shook her head. "I don't have time for this--" "This is purely business," Harry said. "I have some computer software programs I thought we could go over." "Oh," Hermione replied. Harry handed her a file and produced a compact disc. "This is one that Neville said has done wonders for children with learning disabilities." "I'd like to try it out," Hermione said, setting her files down. Harry loaded the disc into Dr. McGraw's computer. They spent the next few minutes going over a quick run of the program. "This is wonderful," Hermione said. Harry smiled. "It is, isn't it?" "What else is there?" she asked. "Take a look," Harry said handing her the case. His hand brushed against hers. She bit her lower lip. It was if an electric shock jolted the two of them. "How are you?" Harry asked softly. "Fine," Hermione answered. "Bella mentioned that her father was away," Harry said. "He is," Hermione said. "I'm glad," Harry said looking at her. "Well I'm not," Hermione lied. "I miss my husband." "Is that so?" Harry asked. "Yes it is," Hermione replied. Harry knew that his best friend was good at just about everything, but lying wasn't one of her skills. At least, she'd never been able to lie convincingly to him. "I see," Harry said quietly. "I'm not here to talk about Damian with you," Hermione said crisply. "Fine," Harry said, grabbing another disc and loading it into the computer. "This one is for maths." Hermione watched him run through the demo. "I like this one too." "I liked it too," Harry said thoughtfully, making some notes. "Too bad we didn't have something like this for History of Magic. I might have managed to stay awake." Hermione had to smile. "Professor Binns did have that sort of monotone, didn't he?" "The Goblin Revolutions did more to change the history of our world than any other singular event," Harry said in a pitch-perfect imitation of their old professor. Hermione laughed. "That brings back memories." "Do you remember that time Ron started snoring in the middle of one of his lectures?" Harry asked with a grin. "It kept getting progressively loud and old Binns never missed a beat." "I was so angry at him," Hermione recalled. "I poked him with my quill and he screamed bloody murder." Harry laughed. "And Binns...kept talking the whole time!" Hermione shook her head. "It was too much." "And now Ron's a professor," Harry said. "I still can't believe it." "Me either," she said dryly. "Luna says he does pretty well," Harry said thoughtfully. "But, then again, she thinks he does EVERYTHING well. The other night at dinner, she was watching him eat with this starry-eyed expression on her face." "And he never gained a stone," Hermione replied. "I don't think he ever will," Harry said. "So um... what other programs did you want to go over?" Hermione asked. "These others are for the older students," Harry said, disappointed that yet again, she was putting up a wall. "I'd like to take them and go over the rest of them tonight, if I could." Hermione busied herself with gathering up her files. "I could come over," Harry suggested. "I could bring dinner..." "No," Hermione said. "He's not here," Harry argued. "He wouldn't find out, Hermione." "I don't want you over." Hermione told him. "Strictly business," Harry told her. "No," Hermione repeated firmly. "Harry... we work together. That's it." "That's what it would be," Harry said. "Work. We could go over the programs together and that's all. If I start to talk about anything else, you can kick me out." "We can just as easily do that here," Hermione said. "I want to look at them alone." There was a knock on the door and Michelle walked in carrying some files. "Good morning." "Good morning," Harry said trying to hide his annoyance at the interruption. But, he thought, Michelle might be useful. It was a dirty thing to do, but he was at a loss here. "You look lovely today, Michelle." Michelle blushed. "Thank you." "I was wondering," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "If you would take pity on this poor bachelor and recommend a good place to eat." "I know a few places," Michelle said, flustered. She dropped a few of her folders. "Let me help you with those," Harry said getting out of his chair and helping her gather them. "Are you busy tonight then?" "No," she said, almost too quickly. "Not busy. Not at all." Hermione gaped at him. What in the world was he playing at? "Harry, I don't think it's wise for colleagues to---" "I'd love to have dinner with you," Harry ignored her. "You can't tonight," Hermione heard herself say. "Why?" Harry asked. "Because we were going to work on those programs," Hermione said hastily. "I---I was thinking about that before Michelle came in actually and I think you're right. We should go over them." Harry raised an eyebrow. "That so?" "I'm available any other night this week," Michelle said after shooting a death glare in Hermione's direction. "Well that sounds great," Harry said. "How about I get back to you then?" "Absolutely," Michelle said grinning at him. Hermione rolled her eyes. Harry waited until Michelle was gone before looking back at Hermione. Hermione avoided his gaze and busied herself with her paperwork. "What was that about?" he finally asked. "I have no idea what you're talking about," Hermione replied. "Why shouldn't I go out with Michelle?" Harry asked. "Suddenly you're dying to go over these programs with me?" "Michelle is completely wrong for you," Hermione said as if the answer was obvious. "How would you know?" He asked. Hermione sighed. "Michelle is a nice girl, but she's all style and no substance." "I guess that's for me to find out." Harry told her. "I shouldn't be surprised, should I?" Hermione asked. "You always did like the pretty girls. The ones who looked good on your arm." Harry glared at her. "Ginny, Cho," Hermione muttered. "Never gave girls like me a second glance." "I told you how I feel about you," Harry said. "And you couldn't make it more clear that you don't feel the same way." "That's not it at all!" Hermione shouted before she could stop herself. Harry stared at her. Hermione looked down at the desk. "I figure we can meet in the library after the last class." "Don't change the subject now," he told her. "I'm not changing the subject," Hermione argued. "Yes you are," he said. "It's not going to change anything," Hermione said looking away from him. "It could," Harry said. "You're not happy." "Damian and I have had our problems," Hermione said still not turning around. She'd never be able to say these lies if she had to look at him. "He's in the states consulting on a big case. He thinks that this could turn things around for us." "He hurts you," Harry stated. "He's a good man and a brilliant doctor," Hermione said. "Sure," Harry said. "So brilliant he's got to smack his wife and daughter around." "He's never laid a finger on Bella," Hermione said her voice breaking. "Right," Harry said sarcastically. "I'd kill him myself if he did," Hermione told Harry. "You can't stay there," Harry said. "How long before he really hurts you, Hermione?" "It's not going to happen again," Hermione said quietly. "He'll put you in the hospital," Harry continued. "Or... worse. Then what will happen to your daughter?" Hermione was silent. Harry shook his head. "I just don't know what to do to get through to you." "I love my husband," Hermione started to state her rehearsed speech, but Harry put a hand on her shoulder. "You can tell me the truth," he said quietly. "There's nothing to tell," Hermione said softly. She wanted nothing more than to have him hold her. Harry sighed. "So are we really meeting for dinner?" Hermione nodded. "But, no one can find out, Harry." "I don't like this," he told her. "It's just the way it has to be," Hermione told him. "Fine," he relented. "What time?" "What time's good for you?" Hermione asked. "Seven?" he suggested. "Seven," Hermione nodded. She reached for her files, but Harry put his hand on top of hers. "You were wrong before," Harry said. "What?" she asked. "You're worth more than a thousand Ginny Weasleys," Harry said. "There were times when I would look at you and I couldn't even remember my name." Hermione bit her lower lip. "You feel something too," Harry said softly. "I'm not alone in this." "I can't go there," Hermione said. "Don't ask me to." He was standing so close she could feel his breath on her neck. "Don't," she pleaded. Harry turned her around. "Look at me, please." "I have to go," she said. "Yeah," Harry said reluctantly stepping back. "I guess I'll see you later," Hermione didn't look back at him. "Tonight," Harry called after her. "Right," she let the door bang shut behind her. She leaned against the door, trying to catch her breath. Having him that close to her was extremely distracting. She was forced to recall feelings that were better left in the past. But, oh how tempted, she had been. It would have been so easy to turn around and tell him everything that she was feeling. "What was that in there?" Michelle asked from behind her. 11. Broken ---------- **I am so sorry for not posting last night you guys! I (Heaven) am a florist and this week is MORE than hectic for me and it just slipped my mind. Please forgive me!** **Broken- Lifehouse** **The broken clock is a comfort, it helps me sleep tonight Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time I am here still waiting though i still have my doubts I am damaged at best, like you've already figured out** **I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing With a broken heart that's still beating In the pain there is healing In your name I find meaning So I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on** Hermione was feeling much better the next day so she decided to go back to work. After the fiasco last night at the restaurant, she'd enjoyed her quiet evening in with Bella. She didn't have to use as much makeup to cover her bruises and she still wore a long sleeved shirt to hide any lingering bruises on her arms. "Mrs. Conaghan!" her students shouted when she walked into the classroom. Hermione smiled. "Hello, all of you. I missed you lot!" "We missed you too!" Jess exclaimed, stepping forward to give her a hug. "We always hate it when you're not here." Hermione smiled and ruffled the top of the girl's head. "I hear you guys have been playing with new computers." Jess nodded. "We're supposed to go down to the library again today." "Good," Hermione nodded. "And has everyone been taking advantage of the new books we've got?" Jess nodded. "I like Dr. Seuss!" "Green Eggs and Ham is pretty funny," Joseph said from across the room. "Why don't we go around the room and you can all tell me what stories you're reading right now?" Hermione asked just as the door to her classroom opened. "Good morning everyone," Harry said. "Good morning Mrs. Conaghan." "Mr. Potter," Hermione said tersely. "I'm sorry to interrupt," Harry said, handing her a piece of paper. “I was hoping to bring Jess and Erica into my office at some point today for a chat." Hermione nodded. "You can meet with them after lunch." "Thank you," Harry said. "I appreciate it." he marked them down on the paper. "Mr. Potter!" Rebekah raised her hand. "Are you reading any books right now?" "Not at the moment," Harry said. "Can anyone give me a recommendation?" Jess hesitantly raised her hand. "I like Oh, the Places You'll Go! My grandmother used to read that to me." "I'll make a note of it," Harry nodded. "You can read it to us!" Jess exclaimed holding out the book for him. Harry shook his head. "Maybe another time. I'm sure Mrs. Conaghan has something planned..." The students all frowned and looked pleadingly at Hermione. "We've got to get started on our lessons for today," Hermione said. "We have lots to catch up on from the two days I was sick." Erica looked at Hermione. "What if he reads it really, really, really fast?" "Perhaps later," Hermione answered. Harry looked at the students. "I promise I'll read to you lot another time." A chorus of disappointed groans rose from the children. "That's what they all say," Jess sat back down. Hermione hated to disappoint the children, most of whom had already dealt with enough disappointment for a lifetime. "I-I suppose one story couldn't hurt. If Mr. Potter is willing..." "I'd love to," Harry replied with a grin. Hermione pulled out a chair and motioned for Harry to sit down. The students hurried to sit in front of him. It took about twenty minutes for Harry to read the book and he was glad to see that Hermione's students enjoyed every moment of it. "What do you say to Mr. Potter?" Hermione prompted the students. "Thank you!" they shouted. Jess and Rebekah jumped up and threw their arms around him. "Much funner than Maths," Rebekah giggled. "Which we are going to start right now," Hermione said. The class groaned as Hermione produced a stack of worksheets. She handed the stack to Jess. "Pass these out. You have ten minutes to work out these problems." "I'd better go before she gives me homework too," Harry joked. The students laughed and Harry said his goodbyes. Hermione knew she shouldn't follow him, but she couldn't stop herself. She closed the door. "You're great with them," she commented. "Thanks," he replied. "How are you doing?" "I'm okay," Hermione said. "Um, Damian was called to the states to consult on a case. So, it's just Bella and me." Harry resisted the urge to grin. "Good," he said simply. "Ron and Luna look very happy," Hermione said. "They are," Harry nodded. Hermione was at a loss as to what else to say. "I'm sorry about last night. It's just---it's really better this way." "I don't see how it can be," Harry replied. "But I'm not going to hassle you." "That's all I ask," Hermione said. Harry nodded again. "Guess I'll see you later." "See you," Hermione said looking at him. Harry dropped by a few more classrooms to sign up students he wanted to talk to. His last stop was Mrs. Morando's class. He was surprised to see that Billy was not in the class. Mrs. Morando told him that Billy was one of a group of children that were meeting with prospective parents. "Oh," Harry said, surprised he felt a tug in his stomach at that. "Mr. Potter?" Mrs. Morando asked. "Are you alright?" "Yeah," Harry said. "Sorry. Um... I was wondering if I can have Cynthia and Lara sometime this afternoon." "Of course," Mrs. Morando smiled. "Around two for Lara and then half past for Cynthia then," Harry made a note. "Thanks a lot." He smiled at Bella before leaving the classroom. Bella allowed a tiny smile back, but she'd promised her mother she'd keep her distance from Harry even though she liked him so much. Mrs. Morando was letting them draw that morning and Bella grabbed a crayon from the box. She decided to draw Billy a picture to go with the book she'd gotten him last night. She hoped that he was meeting with nice people and that one of them would want to be his new mummy and daddy. It wasn't long before he came back in and Bella moved her desk closer to his. "How'd it go?" she whispered. "Okay," he shrugged. "You missed Harry," Bella told him. "I did?" he frowned. Bella nodded. "He wasn't here for very long though." "What did he want?" Billy asked. "Meeting with Lara and Cynthia," Bella told him as she coloured in her dragon. "I think I'm going to make this one a fire-breathing one." "Cool," Billy looked at it. "That's really good, Bells." Bella smiled at him. "It's for you." Billy grinned at her. "Thanks." "I've got something else for you too," Bella said reaching into her backpack for the books she'd gotten for him. "These are for me?" he asked in surprise. Bella nodded. "I picked ones that I thought you'd like." "This one looks really cool," Billy said, admiring the shiny cover of a book about dragons. "It is," Bella said. "I've read it three times." Billy grinned at her and tucked the books away. "What are you going to draw?" Bella asked as he grabbed some crayons from the bucket. "I don't know yet," he said. "Some of the other kids are supposed to go down at recess and play football with Harry," Bella said trying not to sound disappointed that she would not join them. "They are?" Billy asked interestedly. Bella nodded. "You should go." "I wasn't invited," Billy replied. "You weren't here when he came around," Bella pointed out. "I'm sure he'd love it if you'd join him." Billy smiled. "I hope so. I really like him." "I do, too," Bella said quietly. Billy was quiet for a moment while he drew. "You know... if someone like him wanted to be my dad, I'd let him adopt me in a second." Bella looked over at her friend. "Really?" "He probably doesn't want to," Billy said hastily. "But he'd be pretty cool." "He'd be a great daddy," Bella agreed. Billy was embarrassed he'd let that slip. He concentrated hard on drawing his picture. "He'd never hurt you," Bella said thoughtfully. "And he'd never make you think everything was your fault..." Billy looked over at her. Bella felt tears welling up in her eyes. "You okay Bells?" he asked, concerned. Bella broke out of her reverie and looked back at Billy. "I can't tell you, Billy." Billy frowned. "I want to," Bella said sadly. "But, I can't." "But we tell each other everything," he protested. "Do you promise not to tell?" Bella asked keeping her voice barely above a whisper. "I swear," Billy nodded. Bella bit her bottom lip. "Well, my daddy's gone away for awhile and I'm really, really happy about it." "Why?" Billy asked. "My daddy," Bella said. "He--he hits my mummy sometimes and he's really mean to me." Billy stopped drawing and stared at her, his mouth open. "You can't tell anyone!" Bella exclaimed. Several students looked at her. "Bella?" Mrs. Morando inquired pleasantly. "Is everything okay?" "Yes, ma’am," Bella said quickly. "I won't say anything," Billy whispered. Bella nodded. "That's why my mummy and I were out of school." Billy stared at her. His mother may have left him, but she'd never hit him. "He's in America at a big hospital right now and I hope he doesn't come back for a long, long time," Bella said softly "I hope not either," Billy said, looking back at his own drawing. "He's never hit me," Bella told him. "But...sometimes I think he wants to. The other night something really strange happened..." Billy's jaw dropped again when she told him about the bottle. "And he wasn't squeezing it?" Bella shook her head. "He was just holding it and I think I made the bottle break." "Wow," Billy said in awe. "What do you think it means?" Bella asked. "I don't know," he admitted. "It's not the first time something like that has happened either," Bella confided. "When else did it happen?" he asked. "Last summer," Bella said. "My mum had to come here and that left me with Daddy and Tilly. I wanted a biscuit really, really bad. But, Daddy said no and told me I wasn't 's’posed to get up from my seat." "What happened?" Billy asked, intrigued. "He was reading the paper," Bella recalled. "And I looked at the plate on the counter thinking I had never wanted anything so bad in my life and the biscuit...it kind of came to me..." "It just floated over to you?" Billy asked. Bella nodded. "I never told anyone. Not even Mummy." "But there's no such thing as magic," Billy said. "I know," Bella said softly. "But what else could it be?" Billy shook his head. "I don't know." "Neither do I," Bella said. "And I hate not knowing!" "Me too," Billy said. "Do you think we can figure it out?" Bella asked. "Maybe," Billy said. "We should look in some of those new books in the library. I bet we can figure something out." Bella smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks, Billy. You're the best." Billy grinned back at her. "So are you, Bells." Bella smiled. "I'm glad I told you." "And no one will hear it from me," Billy promised. Bella believed him and knew she could trust her friend. "Here," Billy pushed the drawing at her. "This one's for you." Bella looked at it. "It's a dog." "Yeah," he said sheepishly. "Not a great one..." "It's the best drawing of a dog I've ever seen," Bella said loyally. "You're just saying that," Billy replied. "But thanks." "I love it," Bella said. "I'm going to put it in my room." "Cool," Billy replied. Mrs. Morando came around and looked at the students' progress. "Finish up soon. We need to start on our maths." The students all groaned in unison. "If only I'd been downstairs a little longer," Billy joked to Bella. "You might have missed all this," Bella agreed. "It's easy for you," Billy said. "You like maths." "It's not that bad," Bella replied. "You like EVERYTHING," Billy teased. "That's cause she knows everything," Robert said from across the aisle. "I don't," Bella said. "Yeah you do," Robert replied. "You always get full marks." Bella blushed. "That's cause she's smart," Billy said loyally. Robert laughed. "She's super smart." Bella turned bright red. "Are you going to play football at recess?" Billy asked Robert, changing the subject. "Yeah!" Robert said. "It's going to be loads of fun!" "Me too," Billy said. "Mr. Potter was looking for you," Robert told him. "He kept staring over at your seat." "Oh, really?" Billy asked, smiling. "Yeah," Robert nodded. "He's pretty cool, don't you think?" Billy asked. Robert nodded again. "Yeah- he pulled me in his office yesterday." "What did you talk about?" Bella asked. "Just stuff," Robert shrugged. "How I feel about not having parents, and all that." "Oh," Billy said thoughtfully. " "Why?" Robert asked. "I was just wondering," Bella said. "He really cares about all of us. You know?" "He does," Billy nodded. It was the first time in his life anyone aside from Bella or Mrs. Conaghan had taken a real interest in him. And he liked it. *** *** *** Hermione was tired when she arrived at the orphanage in the morning. Damian had no regard for the time difference and had rung her at half past three that morning and gotten angry when she proclaimed to be tired. She knew that no matter what she did with him, it was going to be wrong. She had twelve more years to endure this. She went into her office and switched on the small coffeepot she kept in there for mornings such as this. To make matters worse, she had an appointment with Dr. McGraw. The headmistress had left her a message asking her to meet that morning regarding the recent changes. Hermione rubbed at her eyes, hoping to wake herself up and hoped she looked presentable. She gathered up her files and grabbed her coffee and headed to Dr. McGraw's office. Dr. McGraw had given Harry the use of her office for an hour so he could go over some files with Hermione. At least, that's what he had told the head of the orphanage and school. He planned on using some of the time to do that, but what he really wanted was to talk to his best friend with no interruptions from anyone. His mobile phone started to ring and Harry answered it. "Hello?" "Potter," Cho Chang's voice barked at him. "You owe me big and I mean big. What kind of letch did you send over here?" "What do you mean?" Harry asked, confused. "Damian Conaghan," Cho told him. "He keeps making these comments to me and just a few minutes ago he paged me to the on-call room. I'll give you two guesses as to what he wanted from me." Harry was shocked. "Cho... I'm sorry. I had no idea he'd do that." "Well, you should feel sorry for him," Cho said. "I kneed him in the groin and told him if he tried something like that again, I'd tell the chief of staff." Harry shook his head. "Good. That guy could use a swift kick elsewhere too." "I'll give it to him too," Cho said. "He is a brilliant doctor, but I swear, he's the most arrogant, egotistical bloke I've ever met." "Well thanks again for getting him out of here for awhile." Harry told her. "I really do owe you." "How are things going with Granger?" Cho asked him. "Could be better," he said. "How could she stomach this asshole?" Cho asked him. "I don't know," Harry said as a knock sounded on the door. "Hey I have to go." "Mary," Hermione said opening the door. "I'm sorry that I'm a little---" Harry clicked off his phone and stuffed it in his pocket as Hermione stopped still. "Where's Dr. McGraw?" she asked coolly. "She'll be in later," Harry said. "I asked her to call you and arrange the meeting." "Harry," Hermione shook her head. "I don't have time for this--" "This is purely business," Harry said. "I have some computer software programs I thought we could go over." "Oh," Hermione replied. Harry handed her a file and produced a compact disc. "This is one that Neville said has done wonders for children with learning disabilities." "I'd like to try it out," Hermione said, setting her files down. Harry loaded the disc into Dr. McGraw's computer. They spent the next few minutes going over a quick run of the program. "This is wonderful," Hermione said. Harry smiled. "It is, isn't it?" "What else is there?" she asked. "Take a look," Harry said handing her the case. His hand brushed against hers. She bit her lower lip. It was if an electric shock jolted the two of them. "How are you?" Harry asked softly. "Fine," Hermione answered. "Bella mentioned that her father was away," Harry said. "He is," Hermione said. "I'm glad," Harry said looking at her. "Well I'm not," Hermione lied. "I miss my husband." "Is that so?" Harry asked. "Yes it is," Hermione replied. Harry knew that his best friend was good at just about everything, but lying wasn't one of her skills. At least, she'd never been able to lie convincingly to him. "I see," Harry said quietly. "I'm not here to talk about Damian with you," Hermione said crisply. "Fine," Harry said, grabbing another disc and loading it into the computer. "This one is for maths." Hermione watched him run through the demo. "I like this one too." "I liked it too," Harry said thoughtfully, making some notes. "Too bad we didn't have something like this for History of Magic. I might have managed to stay awake." Hermione had to smile. "Professor Binns did have that sort of monotone, didn't he?" "The Goblin Revolutions did more to change the history of our world than any other singular event," Harry said in a pitch-perfect imitation of their old professor. Hermione laughed. "That brings back memories." "Do you remember that time Ron started snoring in the middle of one of his lectures?" Harry asked with a grin. "It kept getting progressively loud and old Binns never missed a beat." "I was so angry at him," Hermione recalled. "I poked him with my quill and he screamed bloody murder." Harry laughed. "And Binns...kept talking the whole time!" Hermione shook her head. "It was too much." "And now Ron's a professor," Harry said. "I still can't believe it." "Me either," she said dryly. "Luna says he does pretty well," Harry said thoughtfully. "But, then again, she thinks he does EVERYTHING well. The other night at dinner, she was watching him eat with this starry-eyed expression on her face." "And he never gained a stone," Hermione replied. "I don't think he ever will," Harry said. "So um... what other programs did you want to go over?" Hermione asked. "These others are for the older students," Harry said, disappointed that yet again, she was putting up a wall. "I'd like to take them and go over the rest of them tonight, if I could." Hermione busied herself with gathering up her files. "I could come over," Harry suggested. "I could bring dinner..." "No," Hermione said. "He's not here," Harry argued. "He wouldn't find out, Hermione." "I don't want you over." Hermione told him. "Strictly business," Harry told her. "No," Hermione repeated firmly. "Harry... we work together. That's it." "That's what it would be," Harry said. "Work. We could go over the programs together and that's all. If I start to talk about anything else, you can kick me out." "We can just as easily do that here," Hermione said. "I want to look at them alone." There was a knock on the door and Michelle walked in carrying some files. "Good morning." "Good morning," Harry said trying to hide his annoyance at the interruption. But, he thought, Michelle might be useful. It was a dirty thing to do, but he was at a loss here. "You look lovely today, Michelle." Michelle blushed. "Thank you." "I was wondering," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "If you would take pity on this poor bachelor and recommend a good place to eat." "I know a few places," Michelle said, flustered. She dropped a few of her folders. "Let me help you with those," Harry said getting out of his chair and helping her gather them. "Are you busy tonight then?" "No," she said, almost too quickly. "Not busy. Not at all." Hermione gaped at him. What in the world was he playing at? "Harry, I don't think it's wise for colleagues to---" "I'd love to have dinner with you," Harry ignored her. "You can't tonight," Hermione heard herself say. "Why?" Harry asked. "Because we were going to work on those programs," Hermione said hastily. "I---I was thinking about that before Michelle came in actually and I think you're right. We should go over them." Harry raised an eyebrow. "That so?" "I'm available any other night this week," Michelle said after shooting a death glare in Hermione's direction. "Well that sounds great," Harry said. "How about I get back to you then?" "Absolutely," Michelle said grinning at him. Hermione rolled her eyes. Harry waited until Michelle was gone before looking back at Hermione. Hermione avoided his gaze and busied herself with her paperwork. "What was that about?" he finally asked. "I have no idea what you're talking about," Hermione replied. "Why shouldn't I go out with Michelle?" Harry asked. "Suddenly you're dying to go over these programs with me?" "Michelle is completely wrong for you," Hermione said as if the answer was obvious. "How would you know?" He asked. Hermione sighed. "Michelle is a nice girl, but she's all style and no substance." "I guess that's for me to find out." Harry told her. "I shouldn't be surprised, should I?" Hermione asked. "You always did like the pretty girls. The ones who looked good on your arm." Harry glared at her. "Ginny, Cho," Hermione muttered. "Never gave girls like me a second glance." "I told you how I feel about you," Harry said. "And you couldn't make it more clear that you don't feel the same way." "That's not it at all!" Hermione shouted before she could stop herself. Harry stared at her. Hermione looked down at the desk. "I figure we can meet in the library after the last class." "Don't change the subject now," he told her. "I'm not changing the subject," Hermione argued. "Yes you are," he said. "It's not going to change anything," Hermione said looking away from him. "It could," Harry said. "You're not happy." "Damian and I have had our problems," Hermione said still not turning around. She'd never be able to say these lies if she had to look at him. "He's in the states consulting on a big case. He thinks that this could turn things around for us." "He hurts you," Harry stated. "He's a good man and a brilliant doctor," Hermione said. "Sure," Harry said. "So brilliant he's got to smack his wife and daughter around." "He's never laid a finger on Bella," Hermione said her voice breaking. "Right," Harry said sarcastically. "I'd kill him myself if he did," Hermione told Harry. "You can't stay there," Harry said. "How long before he really hurts you, Hermione?" "It's not going to happen again," Hermione said quietly. "He'll put you in the hospital," Harry continued. "Or... worse. Then what will happen to your daughter?" Hermione was silent. Harry shook his head. "I just don't know what to do to get through to you." "I love my husband," Hermione started to state her rehearsed speech, but Harry put a hand on her shoulder. "You can tell me the truth," he said quietly. "There's nothing to tell," Hermione said softly. She wanted nothing more than to have him hold her. Harry sighed. "So are we really meeting for dinner?" Hermione nodded. "But, no one can find out, Harry." "I don't like this," he told her. "It's just the way it has to be," Hermione told him. "Fine," he relented. "What time?" "What time's good for you?" Hermione asked. "Seven?" he suggested. "Seven," Hermione nodded. She reached for her files, but Harry put his hand on top of hers. "You were wrong before," Harry said. "What?" she asked. "You're worth more than a thousand Ginny Weasleys," Harry said. "There were times when I would look at you and I couldn't even remember my name." Hermione bit her lower lip. "You feel something too," Harry said softly. "I'm not alone in this." "I can't go there," Hermione said. "Don't ask me to." He was standing so close she could feel his breath on her neck. "Don't," she pleaded. Harry turned her around. "Look at me, please." "I have to go," she said. "Yeah," Harry said reluctantly stepping back. "I guess I'll see you later," Hermione didn't look back at him. "Tonight," Harry called after her. "Right," she let the door bang shut behind her. She leaned against the door, trying to catch her breath. Having him that close to her was extremely distracting. She was forced to recall feelings that were better left in the past. But, oh how tempted, she had been. It would have been so easy to turn around and tell him everything that she was feeling. "What was that in there?" Michelle asked from behind her. 12. Do You Remember? -------------------- **Thought we’d post this one a bit early tonight to make up for last week. Thanks again to all of you who took the time to review (in some cases, twice)!** **Do You Remember? Phil Collins** **We never talked about it But I hear the blame was mine Id call you up to say Im sorry But I wouldnt want to waste your time cos I love you, but I cant take any more Theres a look I cant describe in your eyes Yes we could try, like we tried before When you kept on telling me those lies Do you remember...?** "What?" Hermione jumped. "Harry was asking me out!" Michelle hissed. "And you jumped in like that!" "I'm doing something for the good of this school," Hermione told her. "You have a perfect husband at home," Michelle said. "Why did you have to ruin my chance to nab one?" "You aren't going to marry him," Hermione said. "If you'll excuse me--" "Maybe not," Michelle said. "But, he fancies me. I could tell from the moment I met him." "Sure," Hermione replied. "He's so gorgeous!" Michelle gushed, forgetting her anger for the moment. "Right," Hermione said. "I have to go..." "And those eyes," Michelle continued, following Hermione down the hall. "Couldn't you just get lost in them?" She didn't want to tell Michelle that yes, it was easy. "Mrs. Conaghan?" Michelle asked. "You've gotten to know him pretty well, right?" "Somewhat," Hermione replied evasively. "He doesn't have a girlfriend back home, does he?" Michelle asked. "I don't know," Hermione said shortly. "I have more important things to talk to him about." "Oh," Michelle said. "Of course..." "Have a good night," Hermione escaped into her office. "Night?" Michelle asked, raising an eyebrow. "The day hasn't even started yet really..." But, Hermione hadn't heard a word she'd said. Harry finished up in Dr. McGraw's office and hurried down to the quad to check on Bella. He knew that Bella and Billy liked to play on the playground just before school started. He saw them off to one side on the swing set, talking quietly. "Hiya," Harry said as he approached them. Bella glanced up at him and didn't say anything but Billy smiled. "Hi Mr. Potter." "Alright, Billy?" Harry asked him. Billy nodded. "I'm fine." "You should be," Harry grinned at him. "Especially since your team beat mine yesterday." "That's because you're old!" Billy laughed. Bella giggled at the look on Harry's face. "Old?" Harry asked, clutching his chest. "Me? Old? I'm just 28." Bella giggled. "That's ancient!" "Ancient?" Harry put his hand to his chest. "That's almost as old as Dr. McGraw and I think she was alive when the dinosaurs were," Billy said. "Ouch," Harry told them. "He's a lot nicer than Dr. McGraw," Bella said touching Harry's arm. "Thanks," Harry grinned at her and ruffled her hair. "I was telling Bella I was going to teach her how to play," Billy told Harry. "Good," Harry nodded. "I wouldn't be very good at it," Bella said quietly. "You're good at anything you put your mind to," Harry said. "Don't let anyone ever tell you any different." Bella looked up at him. "My mummy tells me that all the time." "Your mother is the smartest woman I know." Harry said. Bella smiled and took the ball from Billy. "Will you show me how to play?" "Sure!" Billy said eagerly. Billy looked at Harry. "Will you be the goalkeeper?" "For a little bit," he said. Billy took Bella's hand and led her to the middle of the quad. "Okay, what you want to do is get the ball past him. You can't use your hands at all though." "Why?" Bella asked. Billy shrugged. "It's just one of the rules. The goalkeepers' the only ones who can use their hands. So you can use your feet or your head." "Your head?" Bella asked. "Wouldn't that hurt?" "Not that much," he told her. Bella wasn't so sure about that, but she listened intently as Billy explained the basic rules to her. "I'll show you how it goes first," Billy said. "Okay," Bella said gratefully. Billy kicked the ball around and then did a trick where he bounced it off his knee. Bella grinned as she watched him kick it toward Harry. But, Harry expertly blocked the kick and deflected the ball. "Way to go, Harry!" Bella shouted. Harry laughed. "Thanks, Bells." "Okay," Billy said. "It's your turn, Bella." Bella uncertainly moved behind the ball and gave it a kick. "You can do better than that, Bells," Billy told her. "Run with it and then kick it as hard as you can." "Okay," Bella said, backing up. She closed her eyes and kicked the ball in Harry's direction. "Whoa!" she heard Billy say. Bella opened her eyes. "What?" "Good job," Harry told her. The ball had sailed right past him. "Did I really do that?" Bella asked him. "Sure did," Harry said. Bella grinned and ran toward Harry. He scooped her up and gave her a big hug. "I really did it!" Bella exclaimed throwing her arms around his neck. "Sure did," he said. "I'm proud of you." Bella giggled happily as he swung her around. Billy had to smile as he saw her laugh. It had been a few days since his best friend had looked this happy. "You've tried football," Harry said. "But have you tried flying?" Bella shook her head. "People can't fly." "You can," Harry said winking at her. "If you know the right people..." Bella stared at him, open mouthed. Harry swung her around until she was on his shoulders. "Ready, Miss Conaghan?" "YES!" she said excitedly. Harry grinned. "Four...three...two...one...lift-off!" Bella squealed in delight as Harry ran around the quad. She spread her arms over her head. "Go, Bells!" Billy called out, running after them. Hermione watched the scene from the window of her office. That was always how she hoped Damian would be with Bella. But, he had never been that way with their daughter at least not in private. He was always too busy and he resented the fact that she wasn't the son he said he wanted. She sighed and turned back to her paperwork. Daydreaming wasn't going to make the day go by any faster. "Hello?" She looked up to see Neville Longbottom, standing in her doorway. "Neville!" "Hermione," a smile spread across his face. "What are you doing here?" Hermione asked, coming out from around her desk and hugging him. "Just making my rounds," he said. “I ought to box your ears," Hermione said, but she'd never been able to stay mad at Neville for very long. "Try," he teased her. "It's good to actually see you, Hermione." "It's good to see you," Hermione said. "How's everything? Hannah and the baby are okay, right?" "Everyone's great," he nodded. "You?" Hermione sighed. "Everything's great," she lied. "How's Harry fitting in here?" "Everyone loves him," Hermione said, which was true. "I knew sending him here would help" Neville nodded. "The school or me?" Hermione asked him. "Do you need help?" he asked. *More than you could imagine*, Hermione thought, but did not say. "I'm fine," Hermione recited instead. "Everything's perfect. Damian's in the states right now working at Johns Hopkins." "John Hopkins," Neville said thoughtfully. "I think Cho Chang is in residence there." Hermione raised an eyebrow. "*Cho Chang* is a doctor?" "A damn good one, from what I hear," Neville told her. Hermione knew that Cho had been in Ravenclaw when they were at Hogwarts, but the girl was known more for her looks than her intellect. "I wonder if they've met up yet then," Neville looked at her. "It's a big hospital," Hermione said. "True," Neville nodded. "Mummy!" Bella squealed running into the room. "I played football and I flew!" "You flew?" Hermione asked. "With my help," Harry said coming in behind her. "Nev!" "Hey mate," Neville clapped him on the back. "Who's that?" Bella whispered, looking at Neville. "Bella Conaghan, meet Neville Longbottom," Hermione said to her daughter. "He's one of your mummy's oldest friends." Bella smiled shyly at him. "It's nice to meet you, Bella," Neville said. "I have a son about your age." "Really?" Bella asked. Neville nodded and reached into his wallet. "This is my son, Frank. My wife's going to have another baby any day now and we found out it's going to be a little girl. I hope she's as pretty as you." "What's her name going to be?" Bella asked interestedly. "That's something my wife and I can't decide on," Neville told her. "I like the name Jenna and Hannah likes the name Leah." "I like Jenna too," Bella nodded. "Sounds like my name!" "So that's two votes in my favour," Neville grinned. "You're going to get him in trouble with Hannah," Harry teased Bella. Bella giggled. "You should get to class, sweetheart," Hermione said. "And so should I, for that matter." "Yes Mummy," Bella replied. "Give me a hug," Hermione said kneeling down. Bella hugged her mother tightly around the neck. "You're not mad, are you?" Bella whispered. "About what, baby?" she asked. "Because I was playing with Billy and Harry," Bella whispered back. "I don't mind," Hermione kissed her cheek. "Come on, I'll walk you to Mrs. Morando's room." Bella beamed at her. "Okay." "It was good seeing you," Hermione told Neville. "I've got to get to my classroom." "I'll see you later," Neville said smiling at her. "Bye, Miss Bella." "Bye!" Bella waved. Hermione ignored Harry as she took Bella's hand and let her out of the office. "You weren't kidding," Neville said. "She's the spitting image of Hermione." "Just like her," Harry shook his head. "And from the way she ignored you, I take it things haven't improved with Hermione?" Neville asked. "I don't know," Harry told him about trying to ask out Michelle and Hermione stepping in. Neville could only shake his head. "Harry..." "I'm stepping back," Harry said. "You are?" Neville asked. "She doesn't want me," Harry said. "Much as I'd like to change that." "You're giving up then?" Neville asked. Harry shrugged. "Harry," Neville argued. "You can't give up. She needs you." "She doesn't need me," Harry told him. "She's fine." "So, you want me to drop the investigation into Conaghan's past?" Neville asked. "What good is it going to do?" Harry asked as they left Hermione's office. "Maybe it would help get that bastard out of their lives for good?" Neville asked. He couldn't believe Harry was talking like this. "How do you know what he's like?" Harry asked. "It's the reason why I came here," Neville said. He reached into his pocket and showed Harry an old tattered photograph. It was a much younger Damian Conaghan standing with his arm around a pretty blonde. "That was his girlfriend from boarding school," Neville told him. "What about her?" Harry asked. "That is Naomi Lewis," Neville said. "She and Damian dated for two years. I got this photo from her old roommate. Apparently, Damian had a bit of a temper back then. Naomi spent two weeks in the infirmary after falling down the stairs." "Where is she now?" Harry asked curiously. "She lives in Surrey," Neville told him. "I rang her house the other night and when I told her what I was calling about, she hung up on me." "Probably doesn't want to get tangled up in another mess," Harry said. "Can't blame her." "Do you want me to drop this?" Neville asked. "I don't know," Harry muttered. "Maybe I shouldn't have gotten you involved to begin with," Neville said quietly. "I should get to work," Harry said. "I just... I'll let you know." Neville clapped him on the back. "Okay, mate." "Are you sticking around today?" Harry asked. "I'd like to," Neville replied. "If that's okay." "Great," Harry nodded. "You should go observe in some of the rooms." "Maybe I'll start with Hermione's," Neville said with a grin. Harry laughed. "Good luck." "She's always liked me," Neville said. "I don't think I have anything to worry about." "True," Harry said. "Talk to you later." Neville did not know which classroom was Hermione's, but he figured he'd just explore. Besides, he needed time to process all that he'd found out these last few days. He was worried about his friend. After finding out about Naomi, he was certain that Damian was doing the same thing to Hermione. He had never met Damian Conaghan, nor did he want to. Hermione deserved so much better, which Neville supposed was one of the main reasons he had directed Harry to this school. He decided he'd better talk to the woman who ran the orphanage and school before popping into classrooms. He met briefly with Dr. McGraw who graciously thanked him for all the work he had done to help the school. She sang Harry's praises and was all too happy to allow him access to sit in on any of the classes. "Just have this pass with you," she said. "That lets the teachers know you're a registered guest." "Of course," Neville replied shaking her hand. "Thank you." He managed to find his way to Hermione's classroom and slipped into the back. He watched with pride as his friend read a story to the class. The students were hanging on her every word and it was obvious they all loved her. "I'd like you all to take out your maths now," Hermione said. Neville laughed when her students groaned. "Who are you?" one of them turned around. "Class," Hermione said. "This is Neville Longbottom. He's a friend of Harry Potter's." "Longbottom," one of the boys snickered. "Jeffrey," Hermione said sternly. "Sorry, Mrs. Conaghan," Jeffrey said. "I expect you'll treat any adult that comes in here with respect, regardless of their name," Hermione told him. Jeffrey nodded and turned around to look at Neville. "I'm sorry, sir." "Quite all right," Neville said. He looked at Hermione and for the first time noticed that it was slightly purple around her eye. If he hadn't suspected, he'd never have seen it. "Mr. Longbottom is visiting for the day to see how great you all are," Hermione told them. "And you're all definitely great," Neville told the class. "They are the best," Hermione said. "When they behave..." "We always behave," Jess said with a grin. "Do you now?" Hermione asked grinning back at her. "Of course Mrs. Conaghan," Jess said innocently. Neville enjoyed watching the rest of the class. After Hermione dismissed the class for recess, Neville approached his old friend. "I always knew you'd be a teacher, you know," Neville said. "You were always so patient and understanding with me. The first year, you were the only one, actually." "I suppose it was my calling," Hermione replied. "You're amazing," Neville said grinning at her. "I try," Hermione said. She went to put some papers in a drawer and banged her arm on the edge of the desk, hitting one of her bruises. "Ouch..." she grimaced. "Hermione?" Neville asked, concern etched across his face. "I'm fine," she said. "Just... hurt myself again. I'm so clumsy." "You're the least clumsy person, I know," Neville said. "Remember? I'm the clumsy one." "Things can change in ten years," Hermione replied. Neville nodded. "I suppose that's true. But, some things stay the same." "I suppose," Hermione said. "I actually have to work on a few lesson plans for this afternoon while the kids are at recess." "I won't keep you," Neville said. "But, I want you to know something, Hermione." She looked up at him but didn't say anything. "Harry cares about you," Neville told her. "He always has. He spent the past 10 years looking for you. That was one of the reasons why he travelled around so much. He never gave up." "I don't want to hear about Harry," Hermione said flatly. Neville sighed. "Well, there's something that hasn't changed. You're still as stubborn as a mule." "I've been through too much due to Harry," Hermione told him. "Okay? He can't just come back into my life and play the white knight and have everything be forgiven." "Cut him some slack," Neville told her. "He had no idea you were going to be here, Hermione! He genuinely wants to help." "I know he does," Hermione said. "He wants to help the children. And once he does, he'll be on his way again." "And you're okay with that?" Neville challenged. "I'm fine with that," Hermione said, giving him an even stare. Neville looked as if he wanted to say something else, but he decided against it. "Well, it was good seeing you, Hermione." "I'm sure I'll see you again before you go," Hermione sat down at her desk. "Yeah," Neville nodded. "We'll see." "Enjoy your tour here," Hermione replied. Neville smiled at her before walking out of the room. Hermione sighed and rubbed at her forehead. Part of her wished that Harry had never come here. Things might have been different. At the same time, this was the happiest she'd felt in ten years. Damian was gone, she had her daughter to herself, and despite the way she was treating him, she had the real love of her life within grasp. Neville's words echoed in her head. Harry had never given up on her. "Stop," she said out loud. Dwelling on this would do her no good. That stupid pre-marital contract that Damian had made her sign. She should have read it, but she'd been too blinded by her love for him that she hadn't given it a second thought. She bit down hard on her lower lip and dug her nails into her palm, cursing her stupidity. She could still remember the day he'd thrown that damn document in her face. Bella was two years old. They were still in Paris and Damian had been unbelievably brutal to her. The neighbours had called the police and Damian had been arrested. Hermione had vowed to get as far away from his as possible. ** She was packing their things when the phone rang. "Hello?" Hermione answered. "You'd better get down here," her husband drawled. "And bail me out." Hermione could not believe he was serious. "You expect me to come down there after what you did to me? I'm leaving, Damian. Bella and I will be gone by the time they let your sorry arse out." "You think you can leave me, you bitch?" he sneered. "I'm hanging up now," Hermione said. "You do and you'll never see Bella again," he threatened. Hermione sighed. "You'd fight me for custody? What kind of leg would you have to stand on? You're an abusive bastard..." "You don't get it do you, Hermione?" he interrupted. "I already HAVE custody of her." "We both do," Hermione said. "But, I'm going to file for divorce and I intend to file for sole custody." Damian chuckled and the sound made her shiver. "I don't think so, love." "Why would you even want custody?" Hermione asked. "You don't even love her, Damian. You complain about her crying, you complain about everything she does..." "You might remember a piece of paper I had you sign before we got married," Damian interrupted her again. "In it you agree that I get the house, money, cars, everything. Including children... in the event you try and leave me." "I never signed any such document!" Hermione exclaimed. "I would never sign something like that!" "You already did, Hermione." Damian snapped. "What?" Hermione asked. "You already signed," Damian was clearly losing patience. "Now get down here and bail me out, or you'll rue the day." "I'll rue the day?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "Look, call your bloody parents or one of your colleagues. I'm not going anywhere near you." "If you don't come get me out," Damian's voice lowered. "I will leave you. And I still get everything. You'll never see Bella again. EVER!" Hermione slammed the phone down. She was shaking as she hurried down to his office where he kept copies of every file their lawyer had. There was no way she would have signed a document like that. Hermione dug through the drawers until she came across a folder with her name on it. There was a copy of their marriage certificate and some papers for their Paris flat. The last page was what made her blood run cold. "No..." Hermione whispered as she read over the document. How could she have been so stupid? she wondered. "Mummy?" Bella asked from the doorway. She had just woken up from her kip and was carrying her blanket. Hermione set the folder down and looked at her daughter. "Hey, sweetheart." Bella toddled over to her mother. "Sweepy..." Hermione picked up her daughter and hugged her tightly. "Love Mummy," Bella said resting her head on her mother's shoulder. "I love you too baby," Hermione said. "More than anything in this world." Bella was the most important person to her and Hermione would never give her up. She would die first. She would take that document to an attorney and see for herself if it was valid and if there was any loophole. ** In the present, Hermione recalled feeling that way and the despair that had threatened to overwhelm her when the lawyer informed her indeed that the pre nup was ironclad. There was no way out of this and so she was stuck living with Damian for the next twelve years. "Bella's worth it," she whispered. "She's worth anything he tries to throw at me." Maybe by the time Damian returned, Harry would be gone and she could get back to normal. She would do whatever she could to keep her daughter safe. "Mrs. Conaghan!" Jess came running into the room. "Jeffrey pulled my hair!" Hermione broke out of her reverie and looked at the little girl. "What?" "Jeffrey pulled my hair," Jess sniffled. Hermione handed her a tissue. "Is he still on the playground?" Jess nodded. Hermione stood up. "Okay, come on. I'll take care of it." Jess slipped her hand into Hermione's. "It's going to be okay, Jess," Hermione reassured her. "I'm sure Jeffrey is sorry." "He will be," Jess replied. Hermione walked out onto the playground with Jess and sighed when she saw Neville and Harry were playing football with some of the older students. "There you go!" Harry nodded. "Just kick it like that!" Hermione ignored them and walked with Jess over to the swings. "Jeffrey," Hermione said. "I'd like to have a word with you. Right now." Jeffrey hopped off of his swing and glared at Jess. "Did you tell?" "It hurt!" Jess exclaimed. "Jeffrey, did you pull Jess' hair?" Hermione asked him. "Just a little," he muttered. "I want you to apologise to Jess right now," Hermione told him. "Sorry," Jeffrey kicked at some sand. "You will stay after class today and help me clean up," Hermione told him. "What?" Jeffrey asked. "You heard," Hermione said. "You're not to pull on Jess' hair or to hurt her. Did you think you could just get away with it, Jeffrey? Well, you can't!" "I'm sorry," Jeffrey backed away from her. Hermione realised too late what she had said. Jeffrey wasn't Damian. He was just a boy. "I'm---I'm sorry, Jeffrey." Jeffrey still looked a bit terrified. "Mrs. Conaghan?" Jess asked. "Are you okay?" "Yes," Hermione said. "Um... we'll have a talk later, Jeffrey. But you don't have to stay after class." "Yes, ma'am," Jeffrey said. "Can I go back and play now?" Hermione nodded. "Jess, are you all right now?" Jess looked uncertainly up at her teacher. "Yes, ma'am." Hermione smoothed the little girl's hair back and sent her on her way. Hermione caught Harry's eye as she walked back. To her dismay, he said something to Neville and began to jog over to her. "Alright, Hermione?" Harry asked. "Fine," she said. He saw her eyes were welling up with tears. "Hermione," he said softly. "I'm fine!" she snapped at him. "Why are you always trying to act otherwise?" "You're not acting like you're fine," Harry retorted. "You look like you're ready to fall to pieces." "I told you already not to worry about me," she told him. "I remember telling you the same thing when we were at Hogwarts," Harry said quietly. "Then take your own advice," she said coolly. "Fine," Harry retorted. "You want me to leave you alone? Fine, it's done. And as for tonight, I think I'm going to cancel." "Then cancel," she challenged. "Go out with that airhead." "I will," Harry shot back. "And she's not an airhead. Unlike some people, she actually appreciates my company!" Hermione snorted. "You're not THAT great company." Harry glared at her before stalking away in the other direction. Hermione huffed and went back into the building. "Insufferable git!" Hermione muttered angrily. He actually thought he could make her jealous by going out with that twit of a receptionist. Michelle made Ginny look like a genius. Hermione sat back down at her desk and fished in the drawer for a bottle of aspirin she kept in there. Michelle. Hermione rolled her eyes. If he wanted to waste his time, then he could just go ahead. She could care less what twit he went out with. Part of her wanted to admit she did indeed care, but what was the purpose? Life was somewhat tolerable before he came and there was no reason she couldn't have that again. She took the aspirin and swallowed the pills with a swig of water. This was supposed to be a happy time. No stress. Damian was gone and wouldn't be back anytime soon. She managed to get her lesson plans finished in the remainder of the recess and decided to let the children have silent reading time when they came back. She was embarrassed for how she had reacted to Jeffrey. He was just a little boy. "Get a grip, Hermione." she told herself. Downstairs, Harry was trying to keep his own temper in check. He had never been this angry with Hermione before. "Get a grip, Harry," he told himself. He went through the main lobby and saw Michelle sitting down behind her desk. She wasn't the woman he wanted to be with, but maybe it would be good for him to start anew. Hermione obviously didn't want him and he couldn't spend the rest of his life pining away for her. "Hi there," he sent her an engaging grin. Michelle blushed. "Oh...hi. I saw your friend leave. It's a shame he can't stay longer..." "He's got a wife at home," Harry said. "Didn't want to be away from her for too long." "And now you're all alone," Michelle flirted. Harry grinned at her. "Maybe you can change that." "I'm always happy to help," Michelle said. "Maybe you can help tonight, after all?" Harry asked. "Plans fell through." Michelle nodded eagerly. "I'd love to go out with you, Harry." "How about I pick you up at your place around seven?" Harry asked. "If you could write down your address..." Michelle scribbled her address down on a piece of paper and handed it to him. "Great," Harry smiled at her again. "I'll see you at seven." "I can't wait," Michelle said winking at him. Harry headed to his office to get ready for his afternoon meeting with Dr. McGraw about expanding a few classrooms. "Hermione," Harry muttered. "What was that?" Dr. McGraw had come up behind him. "Nothing," Harry said hastily. She opened the door to her office. "I hope you're finding it easy to work with the other teachers here." Harry nodded. "Everyone's been really accommodating." "Wonderful," she nodded. "In fact, I'd like to work more closely with some of the other teachers," Harry said. "Mrs. Conaghan has done all that she can with me." "Oh really?" Dr. McGraw asked. "I suppose I can have you working more with Mrs. Morando or Mr. Davis..." Harry nodded. "It's not that Mrs. Conaghan hasn't been extremely helpful..." "She's wanted to change things but we've never been able to afford to, until now." Dr. McGraw told him. "You could thank Damian Conaghan for that," Harry muttered. "Beg your pardon?" she asked. "Damian Conaghan might have had a lot to do with that," Harry said. “What makes you say that?" Dr. McGraw asked. Harry shrugged. "I met him a few days ago. He didn't seem to care about anything but himself." "He's donated some money and things to the school," Dr. McGraw said. Harry wanted to ask when the last time that wanker had made a donation. "He also comes in twice a month to check over all the children, free of charge," Dr. McGraw continued. "I stand corrected," Harry said quietly. Dr. McGraw smiled. "Sometimes first impressions can become misleading." "I suppose so," Harry nodded. He remembered all too well how he had thought Hermione a pushy know-it-all when she'd stormed into that train compartment all those years ago. The rest of their meeting went by smoothly and Harry headed back to his hotel room after school was out to get himself ready. He had been on dates before, but had not had a serious relationship in years. Harry also hoped Michelle wouldn't take this too seriously. He didn't think he'd be staying after his work here was done. Harry set his briefcase down on the bed and ran a hand through his hair. He saw the photograph that he had put beside his bed of he and Hermione. It was the last photograph that had been taken of the two of them together. He could still remember that day he'd arrived at Grimmauld Place that summer before seventh year. He'd just set his own bags down on the bed. ** "Harry!" he heard Hermione exclaim from behind him. He turned just in time to catch her as she launched herself at him for a fierce hug. "Hermione," he laughed as he staggered backwards. "I'm just so glad you're finally here," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder. "The obligatory days with the Dursleys," he rolled his eyes. "Those are over now, thankfully." Hermione studied his face. "You look...older." "If I said that to a woman she'd deck me," Harry said with a grin. Hermione grinned back at him. "You know what I mean..." "I do," Harry said. "But I just wanted to laugh. Been awhile since I did that." Hermione squeezed his hand. She hadn't seen him since Dumbledore's funeral. "The Weasleys are downstairs. They're only staying tonight and then it will be just you, me and Ron." "Good," Harry replied, looking relieved. Hermione smiled at him. "That's not the only good news. Guess who was named Head Girl?" "Hannah Abbot?" Harry pretended to think. "I always thought she'd do a good job--" Hermione hit him in the arm. "Harry!" "Congratulations," Harry told her. "I knew you'd get it." "I just got the letter today," Hermione said. "I wanted to tell you first. I haven't even told Ron yet." "Why not?" Harry asked. Hermione shrugged. "I don't know. I just wanted to tell you first. He always gives me a hard time about it, but you...you know how important it is to me." Harry nodded, squeezing her hand again. "I didn't think it would seem real until I told you," Hermione admitted. "Do you know who Head Boy is yet?" Harry asked. He wished it was him- that way he could spend more time with her. "Ernie Macmillan," Hermione replied, rolling her eyes. Harry looked surprised. "I hadn't realised he was in the running." "Neither did I," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Hermione?" Ginny called out. Harry vehemently shook his head. He wasn't up for seeing Ginny. "He's... he's not here yet!" Hermione called out. "What are you doing in his room?" Ginny asked poking her head into the room. Harry had managed to duck out of sight just in the nick of time. "Just getting it ready for his arrival," Hermione said, moving in front of his suitcase. "I really can't wait to see him again," Ginny said. "I just wish Mum would let me stay here with you. It's not fair..." "He needs peace and quiet right now, Ginny." Hermione told her. "Tender loving care," Ginny said looking around the room. "He just needs rest," Hermione repeated firmly. Ginny acted as if she hadn't heard a word Hermione said. "I’ll be downstairs. If you hear him arrive, let me know..." Hermione rolled her eyes but didn't say a word. Ginny breezed out of the room. "Honestly," Hermione shook her head as Harry stood back up. "Thank you," Harry said gratefully. "Not a problem," Hermione said. "I guess she forgot that you two broke up?" "Suppose so," Harry sighed. "Some Gryffindor I am, eh? I can't face her." "You will before they leave," Hermione predicted. "She'll sniff you out." "Like a bloodhound," Harry said shaking his head. Hermione laughed. "I'll help you unpack." "Only if you promise not to give me a hard time about how I packed," Harry said grinning at her. "You just threw it all in there again, didn't you?" Hermione asked. Harry opened his suitcase. "It's not THAT bad..." "You're right," she said. "It's worse." "Hermione, I was kind of in a hurry," Harry said defensively. "I guess I can't blame you," she said. "I'll get better one of these days," Harry said reaching into his suitcase at the same time that Hermione did. Their hands brushed. Hermione gulped and laughed nervously. "Sorry..." "No need to apologise," Harry said. "This might be easier," she said, waving her wand. His clothing flew into the appropriate drawers and neatly hung themselves in the closet. Harry looked at her. "What would I do without you?" "I don't know," she deadpanned. "I don't ever want to find out," Harry said. "You won't," she promised. He knew she probably thought he was joking, but he had never been more serious in his life. He didn't want to think about what his life would be like without her in it. "Well," Harry said after a moment. "Guess we should go downstairs." "I guess so," Hermione said linking her arm with his. Harry liked her closeness and how comfortable they were together. He never had to pretend to be someone he wasn't. "Hermione?" Harry asked her. "Yeah?" she asked. "I'm never going to let anything happen to you," he said suddenly serious. Hermione smiled at him. "That goes double for me, Potter." ** In the present, Harry sighed as he looked at the photograph. He would have done anything for her to look at him like that again. He couldn't deny that he missed her, missed her the way she used to be, study habits and all. She was a shadow of the person she used to be. 13. Wonderwall -------------- **Authors note: Over the last few chapters, we've heard from some of you that you do not like the pacing. We're sorry if you feel that way, but this is how the story is planned out. We can't have them just fall back into each others' arms after all that happened between them.** **Also, a lot of you have the concern of why Hermione hasn't gone back to the Wizarding World. For one thing, she's too proud. She turned her back on that world and doesn't want to fall back on it now. She doesn't feel worthy of it due to what she's been through in the last ten years.** **Harry coming back into her life after all this time has thrown her completely for a loop. The old feelings are still there, but she doesn't feel as if she can act on them because of pride, her situation, and also the fact that she is not alone like she was all those years ago. She has another life to consider---Bella. There isn't anything she wouldn't do to protect her daughter.** **We apologise for the length of this but we need you guys to understand where we are coming from if you want this story to continue the way we have written it. We thank you for reading and of course, for your feedback.** **Wonderwall** **– Oasis** **Today is gonna be the day That they're gonna throw it back to you By now you should've somehow Realized what you gotta do I don't believe that anybody Feels the way I do about you now Backbeat the word was on the street That the fire in your heart is out I'm sure you've heard it all before But you never really had a doubt I don't believe that anybody feels The way I do about you now And all the roads we have to walk along are winding And all the lights that lead us there are blinding There are many things that I would Like to say to you I don't know how Because maybe You're gonna be the one who saves me ? And after all You're my wonderwall** He realised if he kept up this train of thought he was going to be late in picking up Michelle. He took the photo and placed it inside the drawer. "I'm done," he said quietly. If he had done anything, at least he'd given her and Bella peace and quiet for at least a little while. Damian Conaghan was far away and they were safe. Hermione was enjoying the reprieve with her daughter. They had gone back to the pool- just the two of them this time- and then picked up some pizza to eat at home. "Mummy?" Bella asked as she finished off her second slice of pizza. "What is it baby?" Hermione asked. "What's a date?" Bella asked. Hermione was startled. "What?" "When I was waiting for you, Michelle was putting on makeup and she said she was excited because she had a hot date," Bella said. Hermione shook her head. "Honestly..." Bella looked curiously at her mother. "What is it, Mummy?" "When you get older, you'll want to go on dates, but I hope you won't act silly about it," Hermione said. "If a person doesn't respect you for your mind, then they're not worth it." "Michelle was acting really silly," Bella said laughing. "You're smarter than that," Hermione said. "Just like you," Bella said smiling at her mother. "That's right love," Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back. "Did you and Daddy go on a lot of dates?" Bella asked. "A long time ago, yes." Hermione nodded. "Did you go on a date with Harry?" Bella asked. Hermione nearly choked on her drink. "No!" Bella giggled. "Why not?" "Because," Hermione answered hastily. "I hate when you answer me with that," Bella said. "You'll understand things like that when you get older," Hermione told her. Bella looked at her mother and stuck out her bottom lip. She hated when grown-ups said stuff like that, too. Hermione had to laugh. "That look doesn't work on me, baby." "Mummy!" Bella protested. "It never has and it never will," Hermione told her. "Go on and get ready for your bath." "Okay," Bella said. "But you're reading me a story tonight, Mummy." "Deal," Hermione told her. Bella kissed her mother on the cheek. "Thanks for today, Mummy." "I love you so much, sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter. "I love you too," Bella said. "Can we have pizza for breakfast tomorrow, too?" Hermione laughed. "We'll see." Tilly came in and helped Hermione clear the table. "Are you okay, Madame?" "Fine Tilly, thank you." Hermione said. "Have you heard from Dr. Conaghan today?" Tilly asked. "No I haven't," Hermione said. "I expect he'll ring soon though." Tilly nodded. "After I throw this away, I'll be leaving for the night. Unless, you need something else..." "I think we'll be fine, Tilly. Merci." Hermione smiled at the maid. Tilly smiled at her employer before she walked back into the kitchen, leaving Hermione alone with her thoughts. Try as she might, she couldn't stop her thoughts from wandering to Harry and if he was really on a date with Michelle. She was not jealous, Hermione said. If anything, this just confirmed how wrong Harry was for her. If he wanted to spend his time with tarts like Michelle, that was his problem. She could care less. She pushed back her chair then headed upstairs to run Bella's bath. "Michelle probably doesn't even know the difference between a fork and a spoon," Hermione muttered. He didn't really know the area either, so Michelle had probably gotten him to take her somewhere ridiculously expensive. Hermione really hoped that Harry wouldn't sleep with Michelle. She shook her head, forcing such thoughts away. "Ready for your bath, love?" she called out to Bella. "Yes," Bella said setting her book aside. "What were you reading?" Hermione asked. "Charlotte's Web again," Bella said. "You know, one of these days we may have to try and find you a talking spider for a pet," Hermione teased. Bella giggled. "Or a pet pig." "Or both?" Hermione joked, helping her unbutton her dress. "Daddy said no pets, remember?" Bella asked. "Well, maybe someday," Hermione said wistfully. "Like Crookshanks?" Bella asked. "Just like Crookshanks," Hermione said sadly. "Or a puppy," Bella said thoughtfully. "A puppy would be nice," Hermione unplaited Bella's hair. "Okay... into the tub with you." Bella yawned. The busy day was suddenly catching up to her. She nodded and followed her mother into the bathroom. Hermione ran some water into the tub and made sure it was the right temperature. "I'll be back in fifteen minutes, okay?" "Okay, Mummy," Bella said. Hermione left the door open a crack, then went to her own bedroom to get herself ready for bed. The phone rang and Hermione answered. "Hello?" "Hermione," her husband's commanding voice came over the line. "Hello, Damian," Hermione said, keeping her tone neutral. "How are you?" "Fine," he said. "What are you doing?" "Getting ready for bed," Hermione told him. "It's really quite late." "How's Isabella?" Damian asked. "She's good," Hermione said. "She was playing football today and really enjoyed it." "That's nice," Damian said distractedly. "And you---you're staying away from that Potter, right?" "I've hardly spoken to him all day," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Damian, you have nothing to worry about." "That's my girl," Damian said. "Listen, I've been thinking..." "About what?" Hermione asked. "I think you and I should have another child," Damian told her. Hermione was silent. "You know how much I want a son," Damian said. "But I can't guarantee I'd have a boy," Hermione tried to argue. "We'll just keep trying," Damian interjected. "So say I got pregnant again..." Hermione began. "And had another girl?" "She would be loved just like little Isabella," Damian said. "And we'd keep trying. Damian Conaghan, Junior. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" Hermione shuddered. "Of course," she lied. Damian chuckled. "Well, I have to get back to work. I'll see you in a couple of weeks, my love." "Of course," Hermione closed her eyes and willed herself not to gag. She hung up the phone and stared off in space. He couldn't be serious, could he? He had never changed a single diaper of Bella's, never treated her as anything more than a nuisance when they were at home. In the public's eyes, he was the doting father, but at home, he could care less. "He never wanted her," Hermione said to herself. "Not ever." Hermione could still remember the moment the doctor had placed Bella in her arms for the first time. She had never loved anything in the world more than she'd loved her daughter. Bella was the single most important being in her life, and she'd die to protect her from Damian's wrath. The next morning, Hermione left Bella on the playground with Billy. She wanted to have a quick word with Dr. McGraw about Harry's recommendations for expanding the classrooms. She tried not to notice that Michelle wasn't at her desk when she walked inside. That didn't mean anything, Hermione told herself. Perhaps, she was delivering files or having a quick breakfast. It certainly didn't mean, she and Harry were cuddling in post-coital bliss. "Hermione," Dr. McGraw said coming up behind her. "Good morning," Hermione turned around and forced a pleasant smile onto her face. "Good morning," Dr. McGraw said smiling back at her. "I was looking for you," Hermione began. "I wanted to talk to you about Harry's plans for expansion--" "There's no need," Dr. McGraw said walking toward the staircase. "What?" Hermione faltered. "Mr. Potter has decided it would be best if he worked with the other teachers from now on," Dr. McGraw told her. "He said WHAT?" Hermione asked, a bit too loudly. "He thought it would be best if he worked with the other teachers," Dr. McGraw said raising an eyebrow at Hermione's reaction. "I thought he would have mentioned this to you..." "He didn't," Hermione replied. "Oh," Dr. McGraw said. "Well, I suppose you can discuss it with him. He's in his office now. I just left him..." Hermione turned her back on Dr. McGraw and flew to Harry's office. She barged in without knocking. "How dare you!" "Good morning to you, too," Harry said dryly. Hermione slammed the door shut. "How dare you tell Dr. McGraw you can't work with me anymore?" Harry leaned back in his chair. "Oh, well with the way you've been acting around me lately, I figured you didn't want me within two inches of you. I thought I was doing you a favour." "Oh please," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Just because you can't act professional--" "I'm being completely professional!" Harry retorted. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." "Oh, going to see your little tart, are you?" Hermione snapped. Harry glared at her. "Oh, now who's being professional?" "You are completely irresponsible," Hermione shot back. "Mixing work and pleasure all the time!" Harry pushed back from his chair and stood up. "What's this really about?" he asked her. "You aren't willing to work with me at all!" Hermione said angrily. "It's like you're just... you're just..." Harry stepped closer to her. "I'm what, Hermione?" Hermione felt her body tremble at his nearness. "I don't know..." she felt tears come to her eyes. "You're the one who pushed me away!" Harry reminded her. "Did you think you could do that and I'd just keep coming back for more?" "You left ME!" she shouted at him. Harry groaned in frustration. She was driving him stark-raving mad. He didn't know what else to do so he surprised himself and her by grabbed her around the waist and pulling her to him. "Harry what are you--" her words were cut off as he boldly pressed his lips to hers. Her first instinct was to fight him off, but her resolve weakened as he deepened the kiss. His hands moved across her back in a soft and gentle manner. Damian had never touched her or kissed her like this. Hermione kissed him back, running her hands through his messy hair. How many times had she imagined what this would be like? It paled in comparison to the real thing. Harry moved her over to the sofa and they fell down on it, their mouths never breaking apart. Hermione's eager hands untucked his shirt. He pulled away for just a moment to look at her and so they could catch their breath. "Don't stop," Hermione whispered looking up at him. "Please..." Harry shook his head and kissed her again. Hermione wrapped her arms around him. This was reckless, she knew, but she was powerless to stop it. It felt too good to stop. She shivered when Harry's hand slid under her shirt. "Okay?" he whispered, his lips grazing her ear. "Yes," Hermione whispered. Harry lost himself in kissing Hermione. He'd waited for this moment for over half his life. "You're so beautiful," he whispered against her skin. "I am?" she asked. Harry smiled down at her and cupped her cheek. "You are even when you're mad at me..." "That's pretty often," Hermione had to smile back. Harry laughed and kissed her again. "You never could stay mad at me for too long." "Wanker," she said breathlessly. He couldn't believe she was actually here and she wasn't pushing him away. He loved her so much and last night on his date with Michelle, he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Hermione. This time, it was Hermione who put her arms around him and pulled his face to hers. "I told you not to stop," she murmured between kisses. "Yes, ma'am," Harry grinned using his free hand to unbutton her shirt. He gently ran his hand over her chest, his touch soft. She knew why he was being gentle and it made her love him even more. "How did you get to be so perfect?" she asked, pushing his hair out of his face. "I'm far from perfect," Harry said smiling down at her. "To me, you are." Hermione told him. "Right now." Harry kissed her. "I love you." Tears filled her eyes and before she knew it, Hermione found herself sobbing almost hysterically. "Hermione?" Harry asked. "Hey---what is it?" "It's just... it's been a long time," Hermione admitted, wiping her eyes. "Since anyone aside from Bella has said that to me and meant it." Harry sat up and held out his arms. Hermione allowed him to hold her and she held tightly onto him. "Oh, sweetheart," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "I do love you. I love you so much..." "Why did you have to leave me behind?" she whispered. "Things could have been so different..." "I'm so sorry," Harry said softly. "I just wanted to know that you were safe. If anything had happened to you..." Hermione shook her head. "It wasn't right." "I know I hurt you," Harry said looking at her. "I would give anything in the world to change that. I just---I didn't think I was going to come back. I thought I was going to die." "Harry," she began but he shook his head. "I love you," he whispered leaning in and softly kissing her. "That's all that matters." "Is it enough now?" she asked. "Harry you have no idea what I've done..." "It doesn't matter to me," Harry reassured her. "I love you and if you love me..." "It's not just that," Hermione told him. "Damian... he won't let me go. Not ever." "He's not going to have a choice," Harry said resting his forehead on hers. "It's me who doesn't have the choice," Hermione pulled away from him. "What does that mean?" Harry asked. "You don't love him. You couldn't love him after what he's done..." "You're right, I don't." Hermione told him. "But... there are other things Harry. Complicated things." Harry reached for her again. "Tell me..." Hermione shook her head as tears pricked at her eyes. "I can't." "You can tell me anything," Harry said. "We've always been able to tell each other anything." "I can't." Hermione said. "Not this." "When you're ready to tell me, I'll listen," Harry said squeezing her hand. "Thanks," Hermione said. "I need... I have to go freshen up before my kids come in." Harry nodded and leaned in to kiss her one last time. "So, you still want to work together?" he asked. "Oh... yes..." she said dazedly. Harry smiled. "I'll see you later, Hermione Jane." Hermione nodded, stumbling as she left his office. She put her fingers to her lips. They were still swollen from all that kissing. Kissing... that thought made her smile. "Harry," she whispered to herself. She headed quickly into the loo and splashed some cold water onto her face. Hermione looked at her reflection in the mirror and realised she was still smiling. "Get a grip," she told herself again, but still couldn't resist a grin. Harry was also grinning when he entered Mrs. Morando's classroom. Class was about to begin and he knew he didn't have much time. He asked the teacher if he could have a quick word with Billy. "Of course," Mrs. Morando nodded. "Billy? Mr. Potter would like to talk to you." Billy followed Harry outside into the hall. "I was wondering if you had plans for this weekend?" Harry asked the boy. "Why?" Billy asked. "You remember me telling you about that mate of mine?" Harry asked him. "The pilot?" Billy nodded. "Well, he's going to be here Saturday morning," Harry said with a grin. "And he wanted to know if I knew anyone who would like to go up for a flight..." Billy gaped at him. "Are you serious?" Harry chuckled. "Absolutely." "I'd love to go," Billy said, gazing at him in admiration. "That's good because I cleared it with McGraw," Harry said. "You'll need to get up early though..." "That's okay," Billy said quickly. Harry grinned. "Well, I will pick you up at your dorm at seven Saturday." "Thanks sir," Billy said eagerly. "You're quite welcome," Harry said. "It'll be fun." "I can't wait," Billy said happily. "Me too," Harry said grinning at him. "And you'll have a great story to tell Bella when you get back." "Can I take some pictures?" Billy asked. "Sure," Harry replied. "Awesome!" Billy shouted enthusiastically. Harry handed him a piece of paper. His friend had emailed over a photograph of his plane. "This is what you'll be riding in..." "Wow," Billy said in awe. "You really like me enough to take me on THIS?" "I really do," Harry said smiling at him. "You're a good kid, Billy." "I like you too," Billy said. "No one's ever been this nice to me." Harry saw so much of himself in this boy. He supposed that was why he felt the need to do things for him to make him feel special. His heart went out to this little boy who had gone through so much in such a short time. "You'd better get into class," Harry said. "Keep that picture." "I will," Billy promised. "Thanks, Mr. Potter!" "Call me Harry," Harry said. "Thanks, Harry," Billy said. "I'll see you around," Harry told him. Billy was still in a bit of shock when he walked back into the classroom. "What did he want?" Bella whispered. Billy handed her the paper. "He's taking me flying on Saturday." "Wow," Bella said in awe. "Pretty cool, isn't it?" Billy asked. "I wonder why he wants to take you flying," Bella said thoughtfully. Billy took the paper back from her. "He knows that I want to be an astronaut." Bella grinned at him. "I think he really likes you." "You think so?" Billy asked her hopefully. Bella nodded. "Really, really likes you." Billy grinned. He couldn't wait until Saturday. "Bells? Do you want to help me look for a book on planes in the library?" "Sure," Bella nodded. "Thanks," Billy said. "I don't want to look like I don't know anything about them." "Good idea," Bella nodded. "This will be the coolest thing I've ever done," Billy said. Bella nodded in agreement. Billy and Bella's conversation was cut short when Mrs. Morando began class. Bella was happy for her friend, but she couldn't help feeling a little wistful. She wished that Harry would come over to her house again and have dinner. She really liked Harry and wished that her mother didn't dislike him quite so much. "He told me to tell you hello," Billy whispered to her. Bella's face lit up. "Really?" she whispered back. Billy nodded. "Maybe we'll see him at recess." "I hope so," Bella replied before pulling out her workbook. Billy looked at the paper one more time before putting it away and pulling out his workbook. He couldn’t believe he was actually going on a real plane, with a real pilot. At recess, Bella told Billy she'd meet him on the playground. She wanted to see her mother and tell her about Bill getting to fly. "I'll see you out there, Bells," Billy told her, eagerly escaping the classroom. Bella waved at him before hurrying down the hall. "Mummy," Bella said as she hurried into her mother's office. "Guess what--" Hermione grinned at her daughter. "What, baby?" "Harry's taking Billy on a real plane this weekend!" Bella said eagerly. "He is?" Hermione asked. "Wow..." "It's so cool," Bella said. "It is," Hermione agreed as Bella climbed on her lap. "You're all glowy, Mummy," Bella observed. "Glowy?" Hermione repeated. Bella nodded. "You're happy." "Of course I'm happy," Hermione kissed her head. "You're here." "Billy and me wanted to play with Harry," Bella said. "Will you come and play, too?" "I don't know, sweetheart," Hermione hedged. "I have some papers to grade..." "Come on," Bella pleaded. "It will be so much fun!" "I'll come watch for a bit," Hermione replied. "You're going to play," Bella said firmly. "It's really easy." "I don't think so, baby." Hermione told her daughter. "I'm a teacher here, and I have to maintain a sense of... decorum... with the students." "It's just me, Billy and Harry," Bella said. "I'll come watch," Hermione repeated. Bella took her mother's hand. "I just hope he's down there." Me too, Hermione silently added. She had no idea what she was going to say to Harry after what had happened that morning. Billy was sitting on the front steps waiting for them. "Hey," Billy said. "Did Bella tell you, Mrs. Conaghan?" "She did," Hermione nodded. "You're very lucky, Billy." "I can't wait," Billy said. "What’s this?" Harry asked. "A meeting I wasn't invited to?" Bella turned around and grinned up at him. "Hiya, Harry!" "Hey Bells," Harry smiled at her. "Hello, Hermione." Hermione blushed. "Mr. Potter." "I told Billy we'd kick around a football for a little while," Harry said. "Can I play too?" Bella asked eagerly. "Sure," Harry told her. Billy grabbed Bella by the hand and they headed toward the playground. Harry looked around to make sure he and Hermione were alone and he reached for her hand. "Hi." "Hi," she said softly. "Um..." "Did this morning really happen?" he asked her. "Yeah," she nodded. Harry grinned at her. "It was amazing." "It was," Hermione said quietly. "You don't regret it, do you?" Harry asked. Hermione shook her head. "Not at all. I just don't quite know what to make of it." "All you need to know is I love you," Harry said leaning in to kiss her. "That's all..." "Not here," Hermione said. "Not in public, Harry. Too many people know Damian." "Right," Harry replied reluctantly pulling away. "I have to be careful," she told him. "I understand," Harry said. "But ...later?" "We'll see," Hermione said. "Please?" Harry asked. "I'll try," Hermione said. "But I have Bella to look after." Harry nodded. He just hoped she wasn't trying to push him away again. "I just don't know if this all comes too late," Hermione told him. "Too late?" Harry asked. "Hermione...it's never too late." "You just don't know," Hermione said. "I would if you'd tell me," Harry said. "I could help you. If you're worried about Damian, don't be. I can handle him." Hermione shook her head. "He's worse than you think." Harry wanted to ask her what she meant, but Bella and Billy came around the corner. "Come on!" Bella exclaimed. "We're coming," Harry said. "I think it's really nice what you're doing for Billy," Hermione said to him as they walked toward the playground. "He's a good kid," Harry replied. "And you're a good man," Hermione said. "I try," he said. "You'll make a great dad someday," Hermione told him. "Perhaps," Harry shrugged. "All the kids love you here," Hermione pointed out. "They're a good bunch," Harry said. "I've enjoyed being here." Hermione wanted so much to take his hand and rest her head on his shoulder. "You go on and play. I'll watch." "You're just going to watch?" he asked. "You do remember that I'm not much for sport, right?" Hermione asked him. "Not to mention that I need to---what? Harry, let go of my arm!" "Just try it," Harry told her. "Maybe just for a minute," Hermione relented, causing Bella and Billy to cheer. Harry grinned, clearly pleased to have gotten his way. "I'm going to warn you both that I'm rubbish," Hermione told the children. "So was Bella," Billy teased. "And now she's quite the little footballer," Harry said grinning at the little girl. Bella beamed back at him. "I can't play long," Hermione said. "I've got papers to grade." "It's fun, Mummy!" Bella exclaimed. She took her mother's hand and told her where she should stand. "I hope you don't expect me to catch that," Hermione eyed the dirty ball. "You're supposed to kick it," Bella said. "Not catch it, Mummy." "Oh," Hermione replied sheepishly. "Where do I kick it?" "You try to get it past Harry," Bella told her. "But you can't use your hands. You got to use your feet or your head." "My head?" Hermione grimaced. "Quit being a girl, Granger," Harry called out. Hermione wished he'd stop calling her by her maiden name- much as she despised her married one. She gave the ball a little kick and Harry caught it easily. "Weak," Harry teased. Hermione shrugged. "Told you I'm no good at sport." "You just need to read a book about it," Harry joked. Hermione rolled her eyes at him. Bella took the ball and kicked it to Billy. "Good shot Bells," Billy said. Bella grinned. "Thanks, Billy!" The kids began to kick the ball between the two of them and Hermione looked at Harry. "I really have to get some work done." Harry nodded. "Okay." "See you later," Hermione said. "Unless...you're going to see Michelle..." "I don't have any plans," Harry said. "Oh..." Hermione said. "Well... I guess I'll talk to you later then." "You will," Harry winked at her. Hermione turned red and hurried inside. "What am I doing?" she asked herself. She knew she shouldn't be encouraging him. There couldn’t be any future for them. 14. Throwing it All Away ------------------------ **Sorry for the late update, guys- but PK was down last night when I went to put the chapter up and this is the first time I’ve been near my computer all day. Hope the longevity of the chapter makes up for it!** **We left you off on a little cliffhanger again, and after this, things do progress a little faster. Just stick with us, things are heating up here for our main characters!** **Throwing it All Away - Genesis** **Need I say I love you Need I say I care Need I say that emotions, Something we dont share I dont want to be sitting here Trying to deceive you Cos you know I know baby That I dont wanna go.** Cho Chang drained her second cup of coffee as she looked bleary-eyed at the charts. She had been at this for nearly three hours and she had barely made any headway. She tried to remind herself that this was what all great doctors had to go through. The grunt work would be over soon enough and she'd be the one bossing interns around. As it was, things were rough enough around her with that arse Damian Conaghan around. She had found out he'd done a case study on St. Louis encephalitis and brought him over but the bloke had done absolutely nothing but flirt with nurses since he'd arrived. She didn't hear the door open as she tried to clear her mind of everything else but her work. "There you are," Damian Conaghan said smoothly. Cho groaned. "Speak of the devil," she muttered under her breath. "I've been looking everywhere for you," Damian said, closing the door behind him. "You found me," Cho said sarcastically. "What are you working on?" he asked. "Charts for Dr. Morgenstern," Cho replied briskly, hoping he'd get the hint. "All work and no play..." Damian shook his head. "A beautiful woman like yourself should get out more." "My boyfriend and I get out enough," Cho said. "I haven't seen you with any other blokes." Damian said. Cho rolled her eyes. "Well, that's because he doesn't work here. Unlike some people, I don't believe in mixing business with pleasure." "That's such a shame," Damian replied. "I know too many people like that." "Like your wife?" Cho asked. Damian smiled tightly but didn't say a word. Cho turned back around to concentrate on her charts. "So what does this bloke of yours do?" Damian asked sitting down. "He's a chef," Cho answered curtly. "A chef?" Damian laughed. "You can do better than that..." Cho glared at him. "As if it's any of your business, he just opened his own restaurant. I'm very proud of him." "That's nothing compared to doing what we do," Damian leaned forward. "I'm really busy," Cho said uncomfortably. She didn't like the look in his eyes. "I could help you then we could get out of here for a bit," Damian said flirtatiously. "I don't need any help," Cho replied, starting to gather up the charts. "In fact, I think I'll take these to the cafeteria and work on them there." "It's much quieter in here," he said standing up. "Dr. Conaghan," Cho protested. "I always worked better when it's quieter," he said. "I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than help me with charts," Cho said. "Nonsense," he replied. "I'm always willing to help someone in need." "I'm sure you can find a nurse in need," Cho said hugging the charts to her. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." Damian was forced to step aside as Cho pushed past him. Cho shuddered as she felt his eyes on her. This man made her skin crawl. She felt sorry for Hermione Granger for having to put up with him, but Cho didn't think she could take this for very much longer. The thought of him neglecting the reason they were paying him to stay here for made her angry and she dropped the rest of her charts off at the nurse's station and headed for the chief of staff's office, hoping he would still be there. It was time to have a chat with him about Damian Conaghan. In the on-call room, Damian sighed. That Cho Chang was feisty, but he certainly loved a challenge. She'd be begging for it by the time he was finished with her. He reached for his mobile phone and dialled his home number in Johannesburg. "Conaghan residence," Tilly's voice came over the line. "I want to speak to Hermione," he commanded. "Put her on." "She's helping Isabella with her school work, sir," Tilly told him. "Put. Her. On. The. Line." Damian snapped. "Yes, sir," Tilly said quickly. "Madame?" Tilly knocked on the door. "It's Mr. Conaghan on the phone for you." Hermione sighed. "Bella, I'll be right back." "Yes Mummy," Bella said. Hermione walked into the hall and picked up the telephone. "Damian? Hello." "What took you so long?" Damian barked. "I'm not a dog," Hermione snapped back before she could stop herself. "Don't you speak to me that way," Damian said coldly. "Or you'll regret it when I get home." "I'm sorry," Hermione said quickly. "How--how are things at the hospital?" "Fine," Damian replied. "I should still be here a few more weeks." Hermione smiled. "That's great, Damian. I'm so glad that things are working out for you." "For us, Hermione. We'll be moving over here soon as I make a name for myself." he said. Hermione could not imagine leaving Johannesburg. It was the only home Bella had ever really known. Despite her unhappiness with Damian, Hermione loved being here and working at the school. "That sounds great," Hermione said, hoping she sounded convincing. "I'm---I'm really proud of you." "Of course you are," Damian said brusquely. "What else is going on at home?" "Tilly and I worked in the garden today," Hermione told him. "You know, we've just been enjoying the weekend." "Don't track any dirt in the house," Damian told her. "It's disgusting enough you keep your hands in all that." Hermione sighed. Nothing she did was ever right as far as he was concerned. "You didn't seem to have a problem when you had me join that gardening club with your colleagues' wives." "Because you weren't tracking that shit in the house, Hermione." Damian said as if she were twelve. "Yes," Hermione said through her teeth. "You're absolutely right." Damian sighted. "I usually am, especially where you're concerned." "Is there anything else I can do for you?" Hermione asked. "I told you not to take that tone with me," he said angrily. "Damn it, Hermione. Just because I'm over in America doesn't mean--" "You're right, of course," Hermione interjected. "I just---miss you." Saying the words made her stomach turn. Hermione would have been more than happy for him to extend his stay. That was more like it, Damian thought. "Well when I do get home, we'll celebrate my new job." "I can't wait," Hermione lied. She was still seething when she hung up the phone. He was unbelievable. Her hatred was growing every day, and the longer he was gone, the happier she felt. Having Harry around felt like no time had passed. But she kept him at arms length, especially since sharing that kiss. That kiss, Hermione thought. She had never been kissed like that. He had been so considerate and sweet, not hard and demanding like Damian always was. "Mummy?" Bella called out. Hermione broke out of her reverie. "Yes love?" she called. "I'm kind of sleepy," Bella said. "Is it okay if I go ahead and go to bed? I finished all my problems." Hermione nodded coming into her daughter's bedroom. "It's the weekend anyway. You had a big day helping Tilly and me, didn't you?" Bella nodded. "Yeah." "Did you have fun?" Hermione asked. Bella nodded as she slid under her covers. "I can't wait until Monday though. I want to hear how Billy's flight with Harry was." "I'm sure they had a great time," Hermione kissed her daughter's forehead. "He was really excited," Bella said softly. "Harry likes him," Hermione replied. Bella smiled. "I know." "He likes you too," Hermione smiled back at her. Bella beamed. "You really think so?" "Absolutely," Hermione replied. Bella hugged her mother. "He likes you too." "We're friends," Hermione smoothed back Bella's unruly hair. "And you've known him like forever?" Bella asked. "For awhile, yes." Hermione told her. "Were you always friends?" Bella asked curiously. Hermione nodded. "Pretty much, yes." "Did you ever go out on a date?" Bella asked grinning at her mother. "What?" Hermione asked. "No... no of course not!" "Why not?" Bella asked. "He's hot, isn't he?" Hermione looked at her daughter. "Isabella Conaghan, where on earth did you hear something like that?" Bella giggled. "The older girls at school say it all the time!" "Honestly," Hermione shook her head. "They shouldn't say things like that." Bella giggled. "You do, don't you, Mummy?" "That is not proper talk for a girl your age," Hermione chastised. "Yes, Mummy," Bella said picking up her teddy bear and hugging it to her. "We'll make pancakes tomorrow morning," Hermione said. "From scratch- just the two of us." Bella grinned. "Blueberry ones?" "If that's what you like," Hermione nodded. "I would," Bella said giving her mother a hug. "Good night, Mummy." "Night baby." Hermione said. "I love you." "Love you too," Bella said smiling sweetly at her mother. "Bigger than all the stars and the sky." "And the universe," they said together, laughing. Hermione turned off the light and left the door slightly ajar. She was going to go downstairs and read for a bit when Tilly stopped her in the corridor. "Mrs. Conaghan?" Tilly asked. "You have a guest downstairs." "I do?" Hermione asked in surprise. "Mr. Potter, miss," Tilly replied. "He's in the sitting room." Hermione nodded. "Thank you Tilly. Good night." "Good night," Tilly replied. Hermione headed downstairs, strengthening her resolve to keep Harry at a proper distance with each step. He was sitting on the sofa with his back to her. "Hello, Harry." she said quietly. Harry stood up and smiled at her and she felt her resolve weakening. "Hi," Harry said. "I know it's late..." "I was just about to go to bed," Hermione said, her eyes skipping away. "I had to see you," Harry said. "I had the best day today. Billy---you should have seen him on the plane, Hermione." Despite herself, Hermione smiled. "Was he excited?" "Was he excited?" Harry asked with a laugh. "When I picked him up at the school, he told me he hadn't slept at all the night before." Hermione shook her head. "He's a good kid." Harry told her all about the day with Billy. How they'd met Harry's friend at the Johannesburg airport and how they'd toured the surroundings. "I got him a camera," Harry said. "He took about a hundred photos, I think." "You bought him a camera?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded. "Yeah, I thought he'd want to remember the day." "That was really nice..." Hermione said. "We had the best time," Harry said. "You should have seen the look on his face when we went up. I've never seen a look like that...pure joy." Hermione had to smile. "What else did you do up there?" "Guy stuff," Harry grinned. "Nothing you'd understand, girly girl." Hermione rolled her eyes. "Yeah sure." Harry laughed. "Before I took him back to the school, we had a hamburger and chips. He can eat just about as much as Ron." "I'm glad you two had a good day," Hermione replied. "How about you?" Harry asked. "How's your weekend been? How's Bella?" "She's sleeping," Hermione said. "I hate that I missed her," Harry said wistfully. "We've been working in the garden all day," Hermione said. "Like you used to do with your mum," Harry remembered. "Yeah..." Hermione felt a pang in her stomach. She missed her parents so much. "She misses you too," Harry said, reading her thoughts. Hermione shook her head. "Harry... don't meddle." She turned away from him and Harry put his hand on her shoulder. "It's not my place. I know. I just---I want you to be happy." "I'm fine," Hermione said. "Really." He was standing so close to her, she could feel his breath on her neck. "I'm going to bed," Hermione said. "I'll see you at the school in the morning." "Don't," Harry said softly. "No," Hermione shook her head. "You don't." "You can't tell me you haven't thought about the other day in my office," Harry said, his hand still on her shoulder. "That's not here nor there," Hermione said. "It'll never go further than that." "I love you," Harry said, wishing she'd turn around and look at him. "Stop," Hermione said. "I already told you, I can't do this." "You want this as much as I do," Harry said softly, turning her around to face him. "No I don't," she lied. "You're a horrible liar," Harry said. "You always have been." "It doesn't matter," Hermione said. "You shouldn't be here, Harry." "No one saw me," Harry reassured her. "I Apparated on your doorstep.” "I don't care," Hermione said. "You should go." Harry leaned in. "Is that really what you want?" "Yes," Hermione folded her arms. "I guess this is good night then," Harry said letting go of her. He wanted nothing more than to hold on and never let go, but she had apparently dug her heels in and wasn't going to budge. Hermione nodded. "Good night. I'm glad you had fun today with Billy." "I did," Harry said quietly. "And you know the only person I wanted to share it with was you. That's why I came here." Hermione bit her lower lip. "But don't worry," Harry said. "I won't bother you again. You've made yourself perfectly clear." "Harry--" she began but with a crack he'd already Apparated away. "Damn it," Hermione said sinking down onto the sofa. "Everything all right, Madame?" Tilly asked. Hermione shook her head. "No, not really." "Is there anything I can do?" Tilly offered. "No," Hermione said looking down at the carpet. "There's nothing anyone can do." "I'll just be off then, Madame." Tilly said. Hermione waited until she was alone before she let the tears fall. Miles away in Scotland, Luna Lovegood was trying to make a snack for Ron. He'd snuck down here to her room and they'd spent the entire evening together. "Do you want cheese, too, Ronald?" Luna asked looking over at him. He was lying back in bed with a smug, satisfied smile on his face. "On you?" he asked licentiously. Luna giggled. "Maybe..." "I definitely want that," Ron replied. Luna was just bringing the plate over to the bed when a loud knock startled them both. "Who the hell could that be?" Ron asked, sitting up. "It might be Professor Snape," Luna said. "And you're not supposed to be in here, Ronald." "Damn it," Ron swore. "Let me hide..." The knocking persisted and Luna grabbed her dressing gown while Ron hid in her small closet. He yelped when a wire hanger dug into his back. "Ouch!" "Ronald," Luna chastised. "Shhh...." "Hello?" they heard a familiar voice. "Luna? Ron?" Luna sighed in relief. She knew that voice and it was not Severus Snape's. She opened the door and smiled at Harry. "Come on inside, Harry. This is a nice surprise." "Hi," Harry said. "Sorry, I know it's late..." Luna stepped back so could enter the room. She closed the door behind him. "Nonsense. You're always welcome here. You know that." Ron had a sour look on his face. "We were sort of busy..." "What are you doing in there?" Harry asked as Ron stumbled out of the closet. "We thought you were Snape," Ron said, grabbing his sandwich. "Ronald isn't supposed to be here," Luna explained. "There are strict rules about professors fraternising. I think it's a lot of rubbish, actually." "I'll say," Harry replied. "That's almost as bad as when we were students." "I wouldn't know," Luna said thoughtfully. "No one really wanted to fraternise with me." "They didn't know what they were missing out on," Harry said. "At least Ron wised up." Luna beamed at him. "Thank you, Harry." Harry sat down in a chair as Ron wolfed down his sandwich. "How are things with Hermione?" Luna asked. Harry flinched at the mention of her name. "Oh, Harry. I'm sorry. That bad?" "She's all messed up," Harry said. "I can tell she has feelings for me... but she won't even acknowledge them." Ron nodded sagely. "That's the way she was with me. She fancied me for years and never did anything about it." Harry rolled his eyes. "Not helping, Ron." "Something happened between the two of you?" Luna asked. "We kissed," Harry said. "In my office... but she's been pretty much avoiding me ever since." Luna smiled. "I bet it was romantic, wasn't it?" "In the office?" Ron asked sceptically. "We were fighting actually," Harry recalled. "She was driving me mad. I just grabbed her and kissed her." "Wow," Ron said. "Way to go, mate." Harry sighed. "I pushed her too far too soon. She's still hung up on me leaving her and she's staying loyal to that bastard." "Why?" Luna asked. "Your guess is as good as mine," Harry replied morosely. "Nev's not found out anything about him then?" Ron asked. "He hasn't gotten back to me," Harry told him. "He's working really hard to find a lead," Luna said. Harry shrugged. "Doesn't really matter. She'll probably still stick by him." "You're giving up?" Luna asked. "I don't know what else I can do," Harry said. "You waited too bloody long," Ron said bluntly. "That's your problem. I mean, you've loved her for how long? And you never got around to telling her until after she was married to that wanker, Harry." "She disappeared, Ron!" Harry exclaimed. "That's right," Ron retorted. "She left us. Not a word, not a call, not a letter...for years." "Ronald," Luna said. "She was upset that you two left without her." "I didn't realise how much we'd hurt her," Harry said shaking his head. "I think she overreacted," Ron said. "Ronald," Luna said looking at him. "How would you have felt if you'd woken up that morning to find Harry and Hermione had left YOU behind?" "I'd have been pissed but I wouldn't have run off," Ron said. "I thought she'd be there if I made it out," Harry said. "I just wanted to know that if I died, she'd be safe. That was the most important thing to me." "She didn't see it that way," Luna tried to explain. "I didn't know her all too well, but I'm sure she felt abandoned." "By the two most important people in her life," Harry said. "But I can't do anything about that, Luna. I can't. I can't change what I did and it doesn't seem like she's going to get over it anytime soon. I've tried everything I can do to get through to her, but she's not budging. How many times am I supposed to go up against a brick wall?" "Just go tell her what's what." Ron said. "Tell her she needs to leave that twat and go with you." "Oh, is that all?" Harry asked sarcastically. Ron shrugged. "If she's used to being ordered around--" "That's not funny, Ronald," Luna said putting her hand on his arm. "Really isn't funny," Harry glared at him. "Hermione's in trouble, Ron. And there's nothing I can say to make her realise it." "Can't you report him?" Ron asked. "If he's hitting her---" "She won't admit to it," Harry said. "If she won't tell anyone, they can't arrest him." "But the little girl, she told you, didn't she?" Luna asked. "She said something once, but she'd have to tell again... and I don't know if she would." Harry shook his head and raked his fingers through his hair. "If he's hurt them once, he'll do it again," Luna said. "You can't just stand back, Harry. You never have where Hermione's concerned." "But what else can I do?" Harry asked. "She practically kicked me out tonight." "Be her friend," Luna said softly. "Let her know that if she needs anything, you'll be there." "I still say you should go in and tell her what she needs," Ron replied. "If she's as smart as we all always thought she was, she'll listen." "Not this time," Harry said, shaking his head. "I just wish---I don't know what I wish." "Perhaps you need to sit back and figure it out then." Ron said. "Well said," Luna said smiling at her boyfriend. "For once, I think you said something right," Harry replied. "I get one every now and then," Ron said. "Loony, do we have any more of those biscuits?" "I'm sure we do," Luna got up to rummage in her drawers. "You're lucky," Harry said to his best friend. "I know," Ron smiled as his eyes rested on his girlfriend. "I don't know how much longer I can do this," Harry said honestly. "You'll work things out," Luna handed Ron the biscuits and sat back down. "You always have, Harry." "If he lays another hand on her, I swear I'll kill him myself," Harry said, his fists clenching. "That wouldn't solve anything," Luna said softly. "But you should probably keep your eyes and ears open. Your opportunity will show up." Harry nodded. "Thanks, Luna." "Anytime, Harry." Luna said. Harry gave her a hug. "You are the best." "That's my line," Ron said with his mouth full. "It's okay," Luna grinned at the two of them. "You can both think I'm the best. I rather like that, actually." "I'll let you two get back to it," Harry said. "Thanks for hearing me out." "What are you going to do now?" Ron asked. "I'm going to stay in London until Monday morning," Harry replied. "I just need to think things through and I can't do that there. And I need to check in with Nev." "Cool," Ron nodded. Harry shook his best friend's hand before he left. He promised to check in with them before he returned to South Africa. Luna sat back down beside Ron. "You know, you could also try and talk to her," she said to him. "She's your best friend, too." Ron shook his head. "I don't know if I could talk to her without losing it." "This can't have been easy for her," Luna said, reaching for his hand. "And I know you've missed her, too." Ron shrugged. "Maybe I could try," Luna said thoughtfully. "She's stubborn," Ron told her. "So were you," Luna nudged him. "But I finally wore you down." Ron smiled at her. "You sure did." Luna gave him a kiss. "You taste like chocolate chips, Ronald." "So do you now," Ron said, pushing the biscuits aside and pulling her over. "Ronald!" Luna squealed. He laughed. "You know you like this. "Maybe a little," Luna said grinning at him. "I am lucky to have you," Ron told her. "I know sometimes I make a mess of things... but not with you." "You're perfect to me," Luna said softly. "And you're perfect to me too," Ron told her. Luna touched his cheek. "So...are you ready to break the rules again?" "With you?" Ron asked. "Always." Luna grinned and used her wand to dim the lights. Harry, meanwhile, was still walking around the grounds. It was quiet and way past curfew so he pretty much was alone with his thoughts as he walked the familiar corridors. This place held so many memories for him---good and bad. He wished there were a way for him to go back up to Gryffindor's common room- or to Hermione's old Head Girl room. If he could go back to that night and tell her his feelings, he'd have done it now. He wondered if she ever thought back to her time here. He knew that at one time, this place had meant the world to her. His thoughts strayed to Bella. He wondered if she possessed any magical powers, and if she did, if the little girl would come to Hogwarts. He smiled as he thought of an 11-year old Bella walking these halls. Damian Conaghan didn't know what a great family he had. That in itself made the other bloke a complete wanker. Cho had called him a couple of days ago with updates on the good doctor's behaviour in the states. According to Cho, he seemed more interested in flirting with the nurses than in the case he'd been "called in" for. It didn't surprise him at all. The one time he'd met the other man he pegged him for a roving eye. The man had Hermione, for Merlin's sake. What else did he need? He sighed as he headed back down to the gates so he could Apparate away. Half an hour later, he found himself back at his London flat. It was dark and empty, but that was how Harry felt at the moment so he didn't mind it much. He flopped down on his sofa and rubbed at his eyes. He did not want to give up the work he had done at the school. The work was very important to him and he knew that there was a great deal more left to do. But, how could he continue with this watching Hermione and knowing that nothing was ever going to happen between them. Damian Conaghan wasn't going to be gone forever. He knew he couldn't pass the other man off to another hospital like he'd done. At the same time, he wanted nothing more than to pack him off into oblivion. Harry sighed and reached over to turn off the light. As he did so, he caught sight of a photograph of him and Hermione together. It had been taken during their third year. He picked up and studied it closer. It had been taken during one of their Hogsmeade visits. They had their arms around each other's shoulders and were laughing- probably at Ron. The Hermione in the photograph smiled back at him. He smiled back, wishing he could go back to that time and do so many things over again. When they were in school, she was his one constant. The one person he could always count on to be by his side no matter what. When most people would have walked away, she'd stood by his side. Until the one day when he had let her down, Harry thought sadly. He put the picture aside, feeling like his purpose had renewed. There was no way he could let this go. There was no way he could let HER go. Not again. *** *** *** Harry returned to Johannesburg Monday morning feeling marginally better than he had on Saturday evening after his talk with Hermione. He had not seen or heard from her and he doubted that he would. He figured that was for the best. Anything that happened now would be all down to her. Harry arrived at the school ready to put in a productive day. As he approached the quad, he saw Billy gathered around a few of his friends. Harry smiled as he remembered the fun he'd had with the boy. "Harry!" Billy waved to him. "Harry!" Harry waved back and approached the crowd of students. He noticed that Bella was not there. "I have something for you," Harry said reaching into his bag. He'd had the photographs Billy had taken developed in London. "Thanks!" Billy said. "That was so much fun, Harry. Can we do it again?" Harry grinned. "Absolutely." "I had the best time," Billy told him as he eagerly looked through the pictures. "So did I," Harry said, his mood brightening as he watched Billy. "How was the rest of your weekend?" "It was okay," he said. "Some people came by on Sunday. They liked me." Harry's smile faltered a bit. "They did?" "Yeah," Billy said. "They were all right, I guess." Harry was about to ask him another question when someone called out Billy's name. Billy's face brightened when he turned and saw Bella. He waved for her to join them. "Bells!" "Hi Billy," Bella smiled at her friend. "Hi... Harry." Harry tugged affectionately on one of the little girl's plaits. "Good morning, Miss Conaghan." Bella smiled a bit more easily at him. "You have got to see these photos, Bells!" Billy said grabbing his friend by the hand and leading her over to the bench. "Wow," Bella said as Billy flipped through them all. "That's so cool!" "We were up so high," Billy told her. "I felt like I could just reach out and touch the clouds." "I hope I can go with you sometime," Bella said, tracing her finger over one of the pictures. Billy looked over at Harry. "Next time we go can Bells come with us, please?" "We'll have to ask her mother first, son." Harry said, adding the last word without even realising it. Billy grinned. "I know she's going to say yes." "I'll ask," Bella promised. Billy grinned even wider. Bella laughed when Billy showed her a photograph of the hamburger he'd eaten after their flight. "Billy, that hamburger is huge! Did you eat all of that by yourself?" "Yeah," he said with a grin. "I was so hungry I could have had two!" "William!" Dr. McGraw called out. Billy rolled his eyes causing Bella to giggle. The headmistress smiled at him. "I have great news for you, young man." Billy looked up at her. "You do?" "Mr. and Mrs. Carson have asked to see you again," Dr. McGraw told him. "Who are they?" Bella asked curiously. "The people from yesterday?" Harry asked. Dr. McGraw nodded. "They're going to pick you up after school and take you out to dinner, William." If this news excited Billy, he certainly didn't show it. Instead, he looked down at the pictures in his hands. "They were really impressed with our William," Dr. McGraw said proudly. "Of course," Harry said. "Anyone would be proud to have him as a son." Billy looked up at Harry with an unreadable expression. "Come along, William," Dr. McGraw said. "I need to talk to you..." Billy wanted to protest, but he knew Dr. McGraw would not be swayed. He told Bella he'd see her in class. Bella nodded and watched her friend leave. "Are you all right?" Harry asked the young girl. "Yeah," Bella lied. Harry nodded and touched her shoulder. "Shall we go inside?" Bella nodded. "Okay." "Did you have a nice weekend?" Harry inquired. Bella nodded. "Mummy and me worked in the garden and yesterday, we made breakfast. Just the two of us." "That sounds very nice," Harry nodded. "It was," Bella said softly. She looked shyly up at Harry. "What did you do?" "I visited some friends back home," Harry replied. Bella smiled. "I'm glad you came back." "Thanks," Harry smiled at her. They walked in companionable silence into the school. "I've never seen Billy that happy before," Bella commented. "We had a great time together," Harry said. "He enjoyed himself up there." "He's my bestest friend," Bella said quietly. Harry remembered when he was younger, feeling that way about Hermione. "And I'm sure you're his," he said. Bella's lower lip trembled as she looked up at Harry. "I don't want him to leave." "Hey now," Harry knelt down so he could look at the young girl. "No one said he's going anywhere." "But those people want to see him again," Bella said as a tear fell down her cheek. "And he'll go away and I'll---I'll never see him again." Harry gave her a hug. "You'll get to see him whenever you want. Billy's not going to want to give up your friendship." "R-really?" Bella asked. "Of course," he said. Bella hugged him tightly. Harry patted her back comfortingly. "It'll be okay, Bella. I promise." Bella pulled away from him and smiled tentatively at him. "There we go," Harry said. "A smile..." Bella giggled. "Thanks, Harry." "Off to class with you," Harry stood up and patted her shoulder. "I'm sure you'll see Billy waiting for you in there." Bella nodded. "Bye." "See you later," he said watching her go. Harry looked at his watch. He was supposed to help in the library that morning. Walking to the library, he thought about this family that wanted to see Billy again. Did they know how much the boy liked to fly? Did they know what a great footballer he was? In turn, he wondered if Billy did like them more than he'd let on. If it meant he'd be in a family where he was loved, Harry would be happy for the young boy. Harry opened the door to the library and remembered that Hermione's class was scheduled for the computers. His best friend was already helping her students get settled. His heart sped up as he took in her appearance. That morning, she wore a red sundress and her hair hung loose down her back. He blew out his breath as he averted his eyes, trying to calm himself down. Hermione turned and saw him. He didn't look up to meet her gaze. He busied himself with turning on the computer that he would be using and sitting down. "Hello, Harry." "Good morning," he said in a pleasant, controlled tone. "I thought I'd start the children on the math programs today," Hermione said conversationally. "Great," Harry said. "I'll load it up and follow along." "You cut your hair," Hermione said, her hand rising almost involuntarily to touch it. She pulled it away just as quickly. "Yeah," he said. "I was back in London and just went in really quick." "You went home?" Hermione asked. He nodded. "Just over Saturday night and yesterday." Hermione wondered why he wouldn't look at her. "How's Neville?" she asked. "Great," Harry replied, typing something on the computer. "You're angry with me," Hermione said quietly. "Of course not," Harry finally looked up at her, keeping his tone even. "I wish---" Hermione started to say. "Mrs. Conaghan!" one of the students said. "I can't get my computer started!" Hermione looked over her shoulder. "I'll be right there, Malia." "I can help her if you want," Harry offered. "That would be great," Hermione replied. "Not a problem," Harry got up and headed over to the little girl. Hermione watched him go and knew she should not care one way or the other if he was angry with her. She was the one who had told them that they couldn't be more than colleagues. She wondered if he was going to stay in here the whole time she had her class that day. A part of her wished he would so she could be close to him. Another part knew it was playing with fire to have those thoughts. "Anyone else need help?" Harry asked after turning Malia's computer on. Everyone shook their heads. "Okay," Harry said. "I'll just be over here if you need anything." "Thank you," Hermione said as he went past her. Harry nodded in response before he sat back down. Hermione's mind was only half on her teachings that day as she walked her students through using the maths program. She snuck in glances in Harry's direction every now and then, but he seemed determined to ignore her. As the class was packing up to leave, Harry was actually somewhat startled when she cornered him. "Yes?" he asked. Hermione bit her lip as she thought of what to say. "Did you need any other help with the computers?" Harry asked her. "No," Hermione said. She wanted to tell him how much his indifference today was bothering her, but didn't know how to put it into words. "What do you want, Hermione?" Harry asked. "I... I just..." Hermione rubbed at her forehead. "Thanks for helping today." "That's what I'm here for, right?" Harry asked. "Right," Hermione said quietly. Harry made a move for the door, but he stopped. “Hermione?" She looked up. "Yeah?" "Billy met with a couple this weekend," Harry said. "And---and apparently they want to see him again today." "Well, that's great," Hermione said. "He's a really great kid." "Yeah," Harry nodded. "He really is. I like him a lot." "The feeling is mutual," Hermione said. "You think?" he asked. Hermione nodded. "I think you made his life when you took him flying. I haven't seen him, of course, but I can just imagine what that was like for him." "I brought him his pictures," Harry said. "I'm sure he'd let you look." "You think?" Hermione asked dryly. "Why not?" Harry shrugged. "You're his best friend's mother." "Of course," Hermione said. "And if not, I'm sure I'll hear all about it from Bella. She and Billy don't keep secrets from each other. They're very close." "It's nice to have a friend like that," Harry said. "They'd do anything for each other," Hermione said softly. "Reminds me of someone I used to know," Harry said, looking away. Hermione did not know how to respond to that. "If you're worried about the potential parents, don't be. Dr. McGraw would not place Billy with anyone she didn't think would provide him with a loving, safe environment." "Good," Harry replied. "That kid deserves a good home." "You care about him a lot," Hermione commented. "He reminds me of myself when I was that age," Harry replied. Hermione smiled. She had always thought that, too. Harry shrugged. "He's been through a lot." Hermione nodded in agreement. "He's always wanted to feel as if he fit in somewhere." Harry fiddled with the mouse on the computer, unsure of what to say to her. "Speaking of fitting in," Hermione said. "It looks as if Bella and I might be leaving here soon." Hermione didn't know why she had told him that. She didn't even know why she had voiced that aloud. It made it seem more real. But, it was Damian wanted and he always got what he wanted. Harry was startled. "What?" "Apparently, Damian’s doing quite well in the states," Hermione said. "He's starting to look at houses." Harry thought this was interesting news, considering Cho had told him Damian Conaghan had done almost nothing since arriving there. "I can't imagine leaving here," Hermione said quietly. "This is home and it's the only real home Bella has ever known." "Then stay," Harry said. "You don't have to go with him." Hermione let out a weak laugh. "I don't have a choice. I never have." Harry shook his head. "This isn't you. The Hermione I always knew would never allow anyone to tell her what to do." "No one's the same as they were when they were 11," Hermione said, already regretting telling him anything about this. "Of course not," Harry said. "But even at eighteen you were never like this." "Sometimes," Hermione said looking at him. "You have to do things that you don't want to do to protect the people you love." Harry stared at her wordlessly. "You should know that better than anyone," Hermione said. "Point taken," Harry replied. "I should go," Hermione said hastily. Harry nodded. "See you." Hermione looked at him one last time. "Bye, Harry." Harry didn't say anything else as she left. Once she was out of earshot he pulled out his mobile and dialled Cho. "Chang," Cho answered on the second ring. "What's going on?" Harry asked without greeting. "Hermione just told me Conaghan's looking at houses there?" "Hello, Harry," Cho said sarcastically. "And how are you?" "Hi Cho," Harry snapped. "That's better," Cho said. "What's going on?" he asked in a calmer voice. "I assume you mean with Damian Conaghan and not me," Cho said dryly. "Hermione told me he said he's looking to move there," Harry said. "I thought you told me he wasn't doing so well there." "He is if you count adding notches to his bedpost," Cho told him. "How much longer is he going to last out there?" Harry asked. "I've spoken to the chief of surgery," Cho told him. "The other night, Conaghan made a pass at me." "What?" Harry was aghast. Cho told him about what had transpired in the on-call room. "The chief said he would keep an eye on him. It's only a matter of time, Harry. I'm not the only one he's done this with. Unfortunately, a few of my colleagues haven't exactly turned him down." "I'm sorry," Harry replied, rubbing his forehead. "I'd never have asked you to do this if I'd known he would do that." "It's not anything I can't handle," Cho told him. "Anytime you need a favour," Harry said. "I really do owe you." "Yes, you do," Cho said. "World Cup tickets. I'm counting on you." Harry smiled. "Easily done." "How is Hermione?" Cho asked. "She's not the same person she was at school," Harry answered. "Oh, so she's still not a bossy little bookworm?" Cho asked. "Not so much," Harry said. He didn't disclose more- that part he wanted to keep to himself. "Can't say as I pictured her ending up with someone like Conaghan," Cho said. "Me either," Harry muttered. "She loves you," Cho said. "I always thought so, you know." "She doesn't want to be with me," Harry replied. "You don't believe that," Cho said. "She made it pretty clear on several occasions," Harry told her. "So you're giving up?" Cho asked in surprise. "That doesn't sound like you." "I don't know right now," Harry said. "You know I'm not her biggest fan," Cho said. "But, I think she's lucky that she has you in her life." "Thanks," Harry replied. "I'll let you go." "I'll keep you posted," Cho promised. "Thanks again," Harry said before clicking off his mobile. He leaned back in his chair and thought about what Cho had said. Was he giving up on Hermione? She had been there for him in his darkest days. Couldn't he do the same for her? He could remember that day during fifth year Christmas hols when she'd cut short her skiing trip with her parents to check on him. He had been determined to spend his entire Christmas locked up in that room. He sighed, realising his indifference to her would never last. There was no way he was letting go of her now. An idea suddenly came to him and he grabbed his mobile again. He scanned through the programmed numbers and selected "Elinore Granger". "Dr. Granger," Harry said when she'd answered. "It's Harry. Harry Potter." 15. You Found Me ---------------- **You Found Me – The Fray** **Lost and insecure You found me, you found me Blood was on the floor Where were you? Where were you? Just a little late You found me, you found me Always right on time And so I wait for you** ** Answer this Every time I turn around Something else Was on its way to break it down Far from home I do feel on my very own Two feet alone On the corner of first and amistad** "Harry!" Elinore exclaimed. "How's Hermione? Is she there?" "I was wondering if you might like to meet your granddaughter?" Harry asked. He heard Elinore's breath catch. "Can you be ready in a couple of hours?" Harry asked her. "Yes," Elinore said. "Absolutely." "I'll pick you up then," Harry told her. "Thank you," Elinore said. "Thank you so much, Harry." Harry clicked off his mobile again and wondered if he had just made a colossal mistake. This could blow up in his face. It could be his last chance, if Hermione and Bella were indeed leaving. At the end of the school day, Hermione was sitting at her desk grading some papers while Bella did her homework. Hermione knew the little girl was worried about Billy and Hermione wished she could do something to take her daughter's mind off of her troubles. "I finished my homework," Bella announced. "Can I colour?" "Of course you can," Hermione said. Bella set aside her school work and pulled out her colouring book. "We'll only be here a little while," Hermione said. "I just have a few papers to grade." "I'm going to colour one for Billy," Bella announced. "I'm sure he'll love that." Hermione told her. Bella pulled out her crayons and started to colour. A few moments later there was a knock on the door. Bella stood up to answer it. "Harry," Bella said smiling at him. He was standing with an older lady she didn't recognise. She was startled when her mother gasped and dropped her stack of papers. "Mum?" Elinore Granger could only nod as tears fell down her cheeks. Hermione only stared, she was too stunned to speak or react in any way. Bella turned around. "Mummy?" "Hermione," Elinore advanced into the room. "Sweetheart... it's been so long." "W-what are you doing here?" Hermione finally managed to ask. "Harry contacted me and brought me here," Elinore turned her gaze on the little girl looking up at her curiously. "Mummy?" Bella asked looking at Hermione. Hermione shakily got to her feet. She put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Bella, this is...this is your grandmother, Elinore." "I didn't know I had a grandmother," Bella said, straying to her mother's side shyly. Elinore smiled at her. "Hello, Isabella. I've been waiting so long to meet you." "Hi," Bella whispered. Elinore looked at Hermione. "She looks just like you did when you were that age." "I know," Hermione said softly. She looked at her mother and her eyes filled with tears. "Oh, Hermione," Elinore said stepping closer. She held open her arms. Hermione rushed into them, feeling much like Bella's age as her mother hugged her. "My sweet girl," Elinore said holding her daughter tightly. "I've missed you so much." "I missed you too," Hermione's words were muffled as she pressed her face into her mother's shoulder. Harry stood back and smiled as he watched their reunion. Bella walked over to him. "That's really my grandma?" "Yes it is," Harry told her. "She's a very lovely woman." "I always wanted a grandmother," Bella said thoughtfully. "She's here now and you have all afternoon to get to know her," Harry said. "That's okay, isn't it?" Elinore asked her daughter. Hermione nodded, wiping her eyes. Bella smiled and looked up at the woman. She wasn't sure what to call her. Elinore knelt down. "I can tell you a bunch of stories about your mother when she was a little girl just like you." "You can?" Bella asked interestedly. "Absolutely," Elinore grinned. She couldn't get over how much Bella looked like Hermione. She had missed so much of her granddaughter's life. "We can go back to the house," Hermione said. "Tilly will fix us something for dinner." "I'd love that," Elinore said softly. "More than anything." Hermione looked over at Harry. "Thank you," she whispered to him. He nodded in response. "Will you join us?" she asked him softly. His first inclination was to say no. He knew that Hermione needed this time with her mother, but he saw the way she was looking at him. He had never been able to say no to that face. "Are you sure?" he asked. "You did this," Hermione said. "You... you did all this. For me." "You're my best friend," Harry said. "I'd do anything for you." Hermione bit her lower lip. "Please come," she said. Harry nodded. "I'd love to." The four of them left the school. "Mummy, I wish we could have brought Billy with us," Bella said. "Next time, sweetheart," Hermione said. She looked over at her mother. "Billy's Bella's best friend." "I see," Elinore smiled at her granddaughter. "How's Daddy?" Hermione asked. "He's fine," Elinore said. "Out of town, actually... or I'm sure he'd be here as well. He misses you so much, Hermione. We both do." Hermione squeezed her mother's hand. It didn't take them long to get to the Conaghan house and Hermione instructed Tilly as to what to prepare for dinner. Bella was still a little shy where Elinore was concerned and she kept sneaking glances at the older woman. "I bet your grandmother would love to see your room," Harry suggested. "Very much," Elinore said to the little girl. Bella glanced over at her mother to make sure this was okay. "Go ahead, love." Hermione said. "My room's upstairs," Bella said. "I'll follow you," Elinore told her. Bella took Elinore's hand. Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes as she watched them go upstairs. "I wanted to surprise you," Harry said when they were gone. "You did," Hermione said, sitting down. "I didn't really know how much I missed her until I saw her. We---we didn't always get along, you know? They didn't understand about magic and they wanted me to be like them." Harry nodded. "I understand that." "I can't believe you actually did this," Hermione said. Harry shrugged. "I thought you might enjoy it." This was quite simply the nicest thing anyone had done for her in a long time. Hermione did not even know what to say to thank him. "Just enjoy tonight," Harry said knowing what she was thinking. "I think I can do that," Hermione replied. "Good," Harry smiled at her for the first time that day. He sat down beside her and Hermione felt better than she had in days. He wasn't sure what else to say to Hermione. She seemed to be comfortable enough with him to sit in silence at the moment. Upstairs, Bella was introducing her grandmother to all of her stuffed animals. "This one is Rocky," Bella said holding up her teddy bear. "Mummy gave him to me when I was just a baby." Elinore smiled. "You know what?" "What?" Bella asked, hugging the teddy bear to her. "I gave your mother that same teddy bear when she was a baby," Elinore said. "You've taken such good care of it." "This was Mummy's?" Bella asked, her eyes growing large. "Really?" "That's right," Elinore replied. Bella grinned. "Wow." "I'm so glad she gave it to you," Elinore said softly. "Me too," Bella said. She noticed that Elinore was starting to cry. "Don't be sad." "I'm not sad, darling," Elinore said. "I've wanted to meet you for so long..." "Me?" Bella asked. "But I'm not that special...that's what my daddy says." Shock crossed Elinore's features. "He said what?" Bella shrugged. "That I'm not that special. I don't think he likes me very much." "Oh sweet girl," Elinore hugged her granddaughter. "You are so, so special." "That’s what Mummy says," Bella said resting her head on Elinore's shoulder. Elinore patted the little girl's back. "You and your mother are the most special girls in the world." Bella grinned. She liked having a grandmother. "Why don't you show me more of the house?" Elinore asked her. "Okay," Bella said. "Do you want to see the library?" "I would love to," Elinore took her hand. "We have soooooo many books," Bella told her. "Thousands and thousands." "I'm sure you do," Elinore said. "Your mother always did love to read." "Do you like to read, too?" Bella asked. "Very much," Elinore nodded. Bella led the way into the library. "I didn't know you knew Harry." "He was friends with your mother a long time ago," Elinore said. "Best friends," Bella corrected. "Right," Elinore smiled. Elinore could not help but marvel at her granddaughter. Bella pointed out some of her favourite books on the shelves. She seemed so grown up for such a little girl. Elinore could not believe that Damian had thought that this little girl was anything but special. "Mum?" Hermione said. "Bella? We're about to eat." "I'm starving," Bella told Elinore as they walked downstairs. "I'm hungry too," he said. "You have a lovely home, Hermione," Elinore told her daughter. "Bella was a fantastic tour guide." "Thanks Mum," Hermione said. "She's also quite the student," Harry told Elinore. "Top marks in her class." "Like mother like daughter," Elinore was unable to take her eyes off either of them. Hermione reached over and squeezed Bella's hand. "She's the most important person in my life." "As it should be," Elinore said as Bella led them all into the dining room. "This looks amazing," Harry said to Tilly. "Thank you Monsieur," Tilly nodded her head. "Harry told me that Damian was away on business," Elinore said conversationally as they all sat down. "In the states," Hermione nodded. "He's consulting on a case at a hospital there." "That's very prestigious," Elinore commented. She had always thought very highly of Damian Conaghan until he'd taken her daughter away and cut off all contact between them. Her dislike grew even more when she remembered what Bella had told her earlier. "Yes well..." Hermione forced a smile to her face. "He's a very talented doctor. We're lucky for that." "Lucky," Elinore said. "I'd say he was the lucky one." "I don't do that much--" Hermione began. "You're the best teacher in that school," Harry interjected. "You care about each and every one of those children and you put in extra hours even when you're ready to collapse." Hermione looked down, her face red. Elinore smiled at Harry. "The children there really love her," Harry said, gazing at Hermione. Hermione looked up and met his gaze. "You're the one who has really turned things around." "With your help," Harry countered. "Sounds like the two of you make a great team," Elinore said softly. Hermione looked at Harry and blushed again. "Yes... well... we already knew that," she murmured. Harry smiled. "I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for her." "How come?" Bella piped up. "Um, well," Hermione stammered. "I had a habit of getting into trouble when we were at school," Harry told Bella. "Your mum...she saved me more than a few times." "What did you do?" Bella was intrigued. "Well," Harry said trying to choose his words carefully. "There was this big...dog, you could say. She, Ron and I were in a room we weren't supposed to be in and---" Hermione laughed. "I beg your pardon. I was where I was supposed to be. You and Ronald, however..." "A big dog?" Bella asked. "I love dogs!" "You wouldn't have loved this one," Harry told her with a mischievous grin. "Very ferocious." "Did it bite?" Bella inquired. "It tried," Hermione remembered. "But we ran fast enough to get away." "Wow," Bella was impressed. Hermione grinned at the memory of it. "And as I remember, you and Ronald still thought of me as a bossy bookworm then. I believe Ron said I was 'mental'." "We were pretty idiotic back then," Harry said sheepishly. Elinore laughed. "I still remember getting letters from Hermione complaining about these two idiotic boys..." Hermione smiled. "Little did I know..." "Fluffy," Bella said suddenly. "That sounds like Fluffy. In the stories you told me, Mummy." Harry and Elinore both stared at Hermione. "Fluffy was guarding a precious stone," Bella explained to Elinore and Harry. "You don't say?" Harry asked dryly. Hermione coughed. "You know... sometimes you read these fairy tales..." Harry grinned lazily at Hermione. "But my favourite is the Buckbeak ones," Bella said happily. "Especially when the girl and boy are riding on his back and the girl is so scared but she felt safe because she was with her friend." Hermione was so embarrassed she could hardly stand it. "Um..." she said standing up. "I'll go tell Tilly we're ready for the main course." Harry winked at her as she walked past him. She wasn't so eager to forget the old days as she'd made it seem, he thought. "I always loved Mummy's stories," Bella told her grandmother. Elinore smiled at her granddaughter. "They sound very interesting, Isabella." "I think she should write them for everyone," Bella said. "That's a brilliant idea," Harry agreed. "I'll tell her," Bella nodded. Hermione came back into the dining room, her cheeks still red. "Mummy," Bella said. "Me and Harry and Grandma think you should write your stories in a book." Hermione sat down. "Oh, Bella. I don't think anyone would want to read those..." "I would," Harry answered. "Damian wouldn't allow it," Hermione argued. "Why wouldn't he?" Elinore asked. "I should think he would be proud." "Yes, well," Hermione hedged. "You should pursue it," Harry told her. "We'll see," Hermione said. She looked over at her mother. "Mum, how are things at the practise?" "Fine," Elinore said. "Your father is busy all the time." "What's he like?" Bella asked. "My grandpa?" "He's a wonderful man," Elinore said. "You'll just love him." Bella smiled. "Will he like me?" "He's loved you your whole life," Elinore told her. "As have I." Bella looked thoughtfully at her grandmother. "But, you don't know me." "That doesn't matter," Elinore said. Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm sorry," Hermione whispered. "It's not time to rehash that right now," Elinore said. "Right," Hermione agreed, wiping at her eyes. Elinore looked at Harry. "So whatever happened to that Ronald Weasley?" "He's teaching at our school," Harry told her. Elinore raised an eyebrow. Hermione had to laugh at that. "That was my reaction as well, Mum. But, Harry says he's quite good." "He is," Harry said. "I've seen him in action." Elinore laughed. "I guess he's grown up." Harry shook his head. "I wouldn't go that far, Dr. Granger." Hermione smiled as she remembered her red haired friend. Perhaps if Damian stayed away longer, she could have Harry arrange for a proper meeting this time. Harry stayed quiet most of the time as he let the three generations of Granger women interact. Elinore told Hermione stories about old neighbours and old patients while Hermione told her mother about some of her students. He noticed Bella starting to nod off after they had finished dessert. "Did you want me to put her to bed for you?" he asked Hermione. "Thanks," Hermione said gratefully. He easily lifted the little girl. "I'll take my time," he said. Hermione smiled. "Thank you, Harry." Bella woke up as Harry brought her into the bedroom. She smiled sleepily at him. "Bedtime?" "That's right," Harry said. "Want to tell me where your pyjamas are?" Bella pointed over to her dresser. "First one." "All right," Harry said, getting a pink nightgown. "This one okay?" Bella nodded. "That's my favourite one!" "Good," Harry handed it to her. "I'll wait out here while you change." Bella walked into her bathroom. "Harry, I like having a grandma," Bella called out to him. "I'm sure you do," Harry replied. After changing into her pyjamas, Bella brushed her teeth. Her father had never once tucked her in or put her to bed. It was quite different to have someone other than her mother do it, but Bella didn't mind. "Want me to read you a story?" Harry offered. Bella nodded and grabbed her teddy bear before she got under the covers. "Let's see," Harry looked at Bella's large book shelf. Bella looked thoughtfully at him, wondering what it would be like to have him as a father. Harry picked out a book of fairy tales. "You tell me which ones you like and I'll read them to you." "How about Little Red Riding Hood?" Bella asked finding it in the book and handing it to him. "Sure," Harry agreed. Downstairs, Hermione was washing dishes with her mother. She had given Tilly the rest of the night off. "This brings back memories," Elinore said smiling at her daughter. "We used to have some of our best talks doing dishes." Hermione nodded. "Yes we did." "Bella said something quite troubling earlier," Elinore said. Hermione paled. "She did?" she asked, trying to sound normal. Elinore nodded. "She said that she didn't think her father liked her very much." Hermione was silent. "I watched Damian Conaghan grow up," Elinore said. "He always seemed so perfect. He attended the best schools. He always said the right thing. When you told me you were falling for him, I was over the moon." "I thought things would be so perfect," Hermione said quietly. "So did I," Elinore said turning off the tap. "And then he took you away to Paris and we never heard from you again. We'd send letters, but they always came back unopened. "You sent me letters?" Hermione asked. "And cards for Christmases and birthdays," Elinore replied. "I never got them," Hermione said quietly. "So I figured," Elinore said, shaking her head. Hermione looked at her mother and was suddenly unable to keep everything inside. She burst into tears, covering her face with the dish towel. Elinore put her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Come here, love." Hermione allowed her mother to embrace her and she sobbed into Elinore's shoulder. "It's going to be okay," Elinore said softly. "I promise." "It will never be okay," Hermione said in a shuddery voice. "I'm a terrible person." Elinore pulled back to look at her daughter. "Hermione, you're not a terrible person. Why would you say something like that?" "Because of what I've done," Hermione said. "Because of me, Bella has to live like this." "Live like what?" Elinore asked gently. Hermione shook her head. "Tell me," Elinore pleaded. "Tell me and let me help." "No one can help," Hermione wiped at her eyes. "What has he done?" Elinore asked. "What has he done to you, love?" "He hits me," Hermione confessed in a whisper. Elinore gasped. "Hermione..." "It started just after we moved to Paris," Hermione said. "I always thought it was my fault... something I did." Elinore shook her head. "No, Hermione. There's nothing you could do that would warrant him hitting you." Hermione didn't look at her mother. "When I became pregnant I thought things would change..." Elinore barely managed to ask the next question. "Has he...has he...Bella?" Hermione shook her head. "I'd die before I let that happen." "You don't have to take this," Elinore said indignantly. "You and Bella can move out. You could stay with your father and me." Hermione shook her head. "If it were that easy... I'd have left so long ago." Elinore embraced her daughter again. "Your father and I will find a good attorney..." "I signed over all my rights," Hermione said. "I was so stupid..." Elinore gaped at her. "If I left him, he would keep Bella," Hermione said. "I can't believe this," Elinore said. "Oh, Hermione---" "I've ruined her life as well as mine," Hermione said miserably. Elinore cupped Hermione's face in her hands. "No, you haven't. We're going to find some way out of this, Hermione." "It's impossible," Hermione said. Elinore hugged her tightly. "Sweetheart, we'll find a way out of it." "I've tried," Hermione said. "You've consulted an attorney?" Elinore asked. "In secret," Hermione nodded. Elinore listened patiently while her daughter told her what the attorney had told her. The contract was legally binding and iron-clad. There was absolutely no way out of it. "I don't know what to do," Hermione said. "I had pretty much resigned myself to this life when suddenly Harry shows up. Everything's different now." "He looked for you for so very long," Elinore said. She looked down at the floor. "He's such a good man, Hermione. I can't believe your father and I didn't see it before. We thought he was too dangerous. If we'd only known..." "I was a fool for leaving Hogwarts," Hermione admitted. "But I was so hurt that they didn't take me with them..." "And now?" Elinore asked. "I... don't know." Hermione said. "He loves you," Elinore said softly. Hermione glanced at her. "He told me that." "Does he know about this?" Elinore asked. Hermione nodded. "And he knows about the contract?" Elinore asked. "I have never told anyone about that until now," Hermione said softly. "You and Bella don't deserve this," Elinore said. "Not at all." "She doesn't," Hermione said. "I do, for signing that stupid contract." "You didn't realise what you were signing, Hermione," Elinore argued. "My sweet girl. We will find a way out of this. I promise you that." "It's impossible--" Hermione began. "Nothing's impossible," Elinore interjected, giving her another hug. Hermione buried her face in her mother's shoulder. Elinore held her daughter for a long time. "I should go and check on Bella and Harry," Hermione said. "Why don't you make some tea?" "Sure," Elinore nodded. Hermione walked upstairs. She had longed to tell someone about this for such a long time. It made her feel slightly better, but still didn't help her situation. And Hermione realised just how much she was dreading Damian's homecoming, whenever that was. She opened Bella's bedroom door and saw her daughter and Harry fast asleep. Her daughter's head was Harry's shoulder and she looked content and happy. Hermione leaned against the doorframe and watched them. Bella was the only thing about her life that she wouldn't have redone. Tiptoeing in, she picked up Bella's clothing and put it in the basket in the closet, then went and gently touched Harry's shoulder. "Harry?" Hermione whispered. Harry jerked awake but Bella remained asleep. "What?" he asked. "You fell asleep," Hermione said softly. "Oh," Harry said. "Sorry..." "It's okay," Hermione whispered. "It gave my mum and me a chance to talk." Harry carefully slid away from Bella and gently pulled the covers up around her. Hermione leaned over and kissed her daughter's cheek. "I was reading to her and I think I tired both of us out," Harry said, returning the book of fairy tales to the shelf. Hermione laughed. "Surely you're not that boring and stodgy?" "Maybe," he smiled back as they left the bedroom. Hermione impulsively hugged him. "Thank you for today." "I was hoping you wouldn't be angry about it," he confessed, his arms sliding around her. "I know why you did it," Hermione said softly. "And it was just what I needed." "Good," he said. "We had a really nice talk," Hermione said, not ready to let go of him yet. "I'm sure it was long overdue," Harry said, happy she wasn't pulling away. "Like a lot of things," Hermione whispered. Harry pulled away to look at her. "Like what?" Hermione touched his cheek. "Me saying thank you, for one." "You don't have to thank me," Harry told her. Hermione could not believe they were here like this when just a couple of nights ago she was telling him that they couldn't be together. "I want to," Hermione argued. "I need to." "I just want you to be happy," Harry told her. "I want the same for you," Hermione said. "I always have." Harry nodded. "We have a lot to talk about, don't we?" Hermione wanted to tell him what she'd told her mother. "Whenever you want to," Harry added. "It's no use," Hermione said looking down. "Don't say that," Harry said softly. He took his hand and tilted her chin up so she'd look at him. "What are you doing?" Hermione asked, swallowing the lump in her throat. "What I've wanted to do all day," Harry whispered, leaning in. Hermione closed her eyes as Harry's lips neared hers. "Hermione!" Elinore called. "I have the tea ready!" Hermione pulled away. "We'd better go downstairs." "Right," Harry nodded. Hermione gave him a slight smile. She knew what had almost happened and what made her hate herself even more was how bad she had wanted him to kiss her. Harry put his hand on the small of her back and walked down behind her. Elinore smiled at them. "I found some biscuits in the cupboard as well." "Tilly must have gone shopping," Hermione said. "Bella's asleep then?" Elinore asked. Harry nodded. "She was out pretty quick." The three of them sat down at the kitchen table. "She's lovely, Hermione. Absolutely lovely." "She's the reason I exist," Hermione said. "The best thing I've ever had a part of." "I cannot wait for your father to meet her," Elinore said reaching across the table for her daughter's hand. "He's going to spoil her rotten." Hermione smiled sadly. Harry looked over at Elinore. "I think you'll have a hand in that, as well." "Undoubtedly," Elinore said. "But Hermione... Bella said some troubling things to me earlier." Hermione wished her mother would not say these things in front of Harry. "Like what?" "That Damian tells her she's not special," Elinore said. "It's not only that, Hermione. You two left, got married in secret and we never saw you again." Harry's fist clenched. Just when he thought it wasn't possible to hate Damian Conaghan more, he found out something else. Hermione sighed. "Mum... it's complicated okay?" "I as just thinking about how him saying those things to her can affect her," Elinore said. "Verbal abuse is just as harmful, Hermione." "He hardly says anything to Bella," Hermione replied quietly. Elinore only shook her head in response. "You don't know, okay?" Hermione asked. "Neither of you do!" "I only want to help you," Elinore said gently. "So do I," Harry interjected. "Then quit acting like you know what this is like for me!" Hermione retorted. Harry and Elinore both stared at her. "I'm sorry," Hermione said quietly. "I didn't mean to get angry. It's just---it's just..." "You can talk to us," Elinore said gently. "It's late," Hermione said wiping at her eyes. "I don't want to leave you alone with him," Elinore said. "If your father knew--" "You can't tell Dad," Hermione said pleadingly. "How can I not say anything?" Elinore said. Hermione could not tell her mother about other things Damian threatened to do. He could even ruin her father’s career. Damian had made sure he had all his bases covered. "If you do, we'll leave again," Hermione replied, her throat thick. Elinore gaped at her. "Hermione!" "So don't say a word," Hermione said. "Not to anyone." "You don't have to worry, Elinore," Harry promised the older woman. "I'm not going to let anything happen to Hermione or to Bella." "Thank you," Elinore said quietly. "Harry, can you take my mother home?" Hermione asked. "It's late and I'm knackered." "I want to see you again," Elinore said. "I'd love that," Hermione said. "And I'm sure Bella would, too." "Good," Elinore embraced her daughter tightly. "No matter what you do or you did... I'll always love my girl." Hermione fought off her tears. "I love you too, Mum." Elinore smiled and smoothed back her daughter's hair. Hermione put on a brave face for her mother. "Give Dad my love." "I will," Elinore said. "Remember what you promised," Hermione said. "Please." Elinore nodded reluctantly. Hermione looked over at Harry. "Thank you again." Harry nodded. "See you at the school." "Right," Hermione agreed. "Good night, Harry." "Night," he said, leading Elinore out. Elinore did not say another word to Harry the entire way home. He had Apparated them both back to her home in London. "She told you what he's done?" Harry guessed. "Yes," Elinore said tightly. Harry closed the front door and watched while Elinore went through the motions of turning on the lights. "I meant what I said. I'm going to protect them." "Someone does," Elinore replied. "Damn it!" "Did she tell you why she won't leave him?" Harry asked. Elinore nodded. "But she swore me not to tell. It's not my place..." "Dr. Granger. If you know something, you can tell me. I want to help her," Harry said, trying to keep his own emotions in check. "She has to tell you," Elinore said. "I'm sorry Harry. You've done so much for me tonight... but this is hers to tell." Harry groaned in frustration. If he had to wait for Hermione to tell him it might be too late. "Just stay with her Harry," Elinore begged. "Please. She needs you even if she doesn't know it yet." "I couldn't stay away even if I wanted to," Harry replied. "Thank you," Elinore grasped his hands. Harry smiled at her. "You finally met your granddaughter." Elinore's eyes filled with tears. "She's everything I thought she would be." "She's a brave little girl," Harry said. "She would have to be," Elinore replied. Harry told her how Bella had confessed to him about what Damian had done to her mother. "A child should not have to see that," Elinore said angrily. "I couldn't agree more," Harry said. "Which is why I made sure that Damian Conaghan was called out of the country on a case." "You did that?" she asked. Harry nodded. "I called in a favour from an old friend." "How long will he be gone?" Elinore asked. "I'm not sure," Harry replied. "I wish he'd never come back," Elinore said. "I'll do everything I can to keep him away," Harry promised. Elinore nodded. "We'll keep in touch." "Absolutely," Harry promised. Elinore hugged him. "Thank you." "I never thought I'd see the day when you'd be hugging me," Harry said. Elinore smiled. "Never really thought it would happen..." Harry laughed. "I'm not that bad when you get to know me." "Definitely not," Elinore replied. "Good night, Dr. Granger," Harry said. "See you soon, Harry." Elinore said. Elinore walked him to the door. After a quick goodbye hug, he was gone. Elinore wished Robert were here so she could talk to him. He would help her make sense of this, but she had promised Hermione she would not say anything. She only hoped Harry could help her daughter before it got too late. Elinore walked into the sitting room and picked up the photograph of her daughter. Hermione was sixteen years old then and ready to take on the world. "What happened to you, baby?" Elinore asked the photo. Elinore remembered the summer before Hermione's sixth year at Hogwarts. She and Robert had spent the first few days of the summer holiday trying to convince their daughter to give up her life as a witch. Not a fortnight into the holiday, Hermione had announced she was spending the rest of the vacation with the Weasleys at the home of some character named Sirius Black. *"Absolutely not," Robert had told her over dinner. "We're going on that cruise."* *"I am not!" Hermione declared. "Harry needs me!"* *"I'm sure he can get through a few weeks without you," Robert said dismissively.* *"No," Hermione shook her head. "He can't."* *"Need I remind you that you were gravely injured not too long ago," Elinore pointed out. "At that Ministry of yours. I can't believe that headmaster of yours just allowed you to leave like that. You could have been killed, Hermione!"* *"Someone was killed," Hermione reminded her. "Harry's godfather."* *Robert and Elinore both gaped at her.* *"Which is why I'd rather be with him than on some cruise," Hermione said. "He needs Ron and me. Now more than ever."* *Robert ignored this. "He could have gotten YOU killed!"* *"I can take care of myself," Hermione said quietly.* *"No, you can't," Robert said tersely.* *Hermione resisted the urge to roll her eyes at this. "I have top marks in all my classes. Harry himself taught us self-defence last term."* *Elinore also shook her head. "Hermione, we weren’t happy about this whole... witchcraft thing... and we don't think you have a future in it."* *"I'm not giving it up," Hermione told her.* *"Hermione Jane," Robert began. "We are not paying for--"* *"I'm going," Hermione said pushing back from her chair. "And there's nothing you can do to stop me."* *"You're not an adult just yet Hermione!" Robert said angrily.* *"Mr. Weasley will be here at seven," Hermione announced. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to pack."* *"Hermione!"* *Robert exclaimed.* *Hermione ignored them and walked out of the dining room. Elinore looked at Robert. "It's just for the summer. Perhaps, we could indulge her this once."* *"I don't know," he said doubtfully. "I have a strange feeling about this..."* *"She's never listened to reason where that boy is concerned," Elinore said shaking her head.* *"I have half a mind to keep her upstairs and tell them to go on without her," Robert said.* *"She's run away in the middle of the night," Elinore said. She wondered where her smart, sweet, dutiful daughter had gone. In her place was this sullen, insolent, stubborn girl who refused to see any way but her own.* *Robert sighed. "I don't know what else to do."* *"The headmaster has assured us that Hogwarts is safe," Elinore said, but her words seemed hollow even to her ears.* *"This magic stuff," Robert muttered under his breath. "A lot of nonsense if you ask me."* *"When this is all over, she'll come to see that her place is at a proper university," Elinore said firmly. "I know she will."* *"I hope you're right, Ellie." Robert said.* *Elinore stood up. "I'll go and talk to her."* *Robert grunted.* *Elinore found her daughter in her bedroom furiously packing her belongings into her trunk. Her cat, Crookshanks was sitting on her bed watching Hermione's every move.* *"Do you need any help?" Elinore asked.* *"I think I've got it," Hermione said tossing a few jumpers onto the pile of things in her trunk.* *"Will you be back before you go to school?" Elinore asked. "Or are you going to stay there the entire summer?"* *"I'll probably be there," Hermione said. "Harry needs me, Mum. He's just lost nearly everyone who's important to him."* *"Hermione," Elinore said sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Your loyalty is one of your best qualities, but I can't help but wonder if he would do the same for you."* *"Of course he would," Hermione said.* *"You always have been blind where he's concerned," Elinore said quietly.* *"Because he's my best friend," Hermione said testily.* *"And if it gets you killed?" Elinore asked.* *"It won't." she said.* *"You don't know that, Hermione," Elinore argued. "You are our only daughter. If anything happened to you..."* *"Nothing is going to happen to me," Hermione said confidently.* *Elinore sighed. "Hermione..."* *"Look Mum," Hermione said in a softer tone. "I know you and dad worry... but really. I can handle myself. I'm the only one that really looks after Harry."* *"He has that---Ronald," Elinore tried to argue.* *"Ron can hardly look after himself," Hermione said disdainfully.* *"So, I guess those two boys would fall apart if it weren't for you?" Elinore asked.* *"Pretty much," Hermione answered.* *Despite herself, Elinore smiled.* *"It's not that I don't love you and dad," Hermione said. "But they need me."* *"Do you promise that you'll take care of yourself?" Elinore asked pleadingly. "And that you'll write?"* *"I promise," Hermione said.* *Elinore hugged her daughter. "If anything happened to you..."* *"Nothing will," Hermione swore.* *Elinore looked ruefully at her daughter. "I love you, Hermione."* *"Love you too Mum," Hermione hugged her again. "Everything will be fine, I promise."* Elinore looked down at the photograph of her daughter. "Everything's not fine," Elinore said hugging the frame to her. She would do anything she could to get her daughter away from Damian Conaghan. 16. Paint It Black ------------------ **I am so sorry about not updating! I can blame the lack of 90210 making me forget it’s a Tuesday, but it all comes down to me (Heaven) being a complete flake at times. Forgive me! This chapter is pretty action packed with one of our ‘specialty’ endings. Please review! And please remember- we have to take a bit of artistic license on things when writing a fanfic. It can’t always be completely true to life. Thanks!** **Paint It Black – The Rolling Stones** **I see a red door and I want it painted black No colours anymore I want them to turn black I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes I have to turn my head until my darkness goes I see a line of cars and they’re all painted black With flowers and my love both never to come back I see people turn their heads and quickly look away Like a new born baby it just happens every day I look inside myself and see my heart is black I see my red door and it has been painted black Maybe then Ill fade away and not have to face the facts Its not easy facing up when your whole world is black** Hermione spent the day after her mother's visit trying to corner Harry to thank him, but it seemed they were both especially busy, working right through lunch and dinner. Several children had prospective adoptive parents show up, and Hermione had to be on hand to talk about the education they received at the orphanage. Bella was in the rec room in the dorms playing with Billy. Hermione was glad her daughter didn't have to sit around while Hermione worked. She knew it meant the world for Bella to spend time with Billy. Harry had been awfully quiet where Billy was concerned, especially when he'd come back from meeting the couple interested in him. Hermione decided to stop off at his office before she left to collect Bella. She found him deep in thought at his desk. Hermione gently knocked on his door. "Hi..." "Hi," he looked up and smiled at her. "Busy day," Hermione commented. "You aren't kidding," Harry ran his hand through his crazy hair. "I spoke with the Carsons," Hermione told him. "The family that's interested in Billy." "Oh?" Harry asked, busying himself again. Hermione sat down. "Nothing's final, you know. If someone else wanted to petition for adoption, they could." "It really just matters what Billy wants," Harry replied. Hermione looked at him. "Harry, would you ever think about---" "Think about what?" he interrupted. "Adopting Billy," Hermione replied. Harry looked up and stared at her for what felt like a long time, then looked away. "I'm sorry," Hermione said hastily. "I overstepped my bounds." Harry shook his head. "I don't know what kind of life I could give him." "You can't travel around forever," Hermione tried to point out. "You could settle in London. Molly and Arthur would be all to willing to help you." "I don't want anyone's help," Harry said. "You know," Hermione said leaning forward in her chair. "When I got pregnant with Bella, I was scared to death. I didn't know how to be a mother. That's not really something you can learn from a book, not really. It's on the job training." Harry studied her. "You were scared?" Hermione laughed. "Absolutely. This little person is completely helpless and it's up to me to make sure that she's safe and warm and healthy. I didn't want to let her down. I second-guessed myself all the time and I didn't really have any support system to lean on." Harry snorted. "I'm sure you didn't." Hermione shot him a look. "The point is...you're not going to be perfect. It won't be easy, but I know how you are with him and I've seen how he is with you." Harry shook his head again. "He's not any different with me than any other adult." "You don't see it because you haven't known him as long," Hermione argued. "I don't know," Harry began. "It was just an idea," Hermione said reaching out and touching his hand. "He's a great kid, Hermione." Harry said. Hermione's brown eyes shined with admiration as she looked at him. "You're a great man." "I'm not that great," Harry muttered. "You are," Hermione said softly. "I still can't get over what you did for me yesterday. Seeing my mother after all this time; having her meet Bella. I can't begin to thank you for doing that." Harry nodded. "Your mother was always important to you. I contacted her awhile back but I didn't know you hadn't seen her until she told me." Hermione realised that she was still holding his hand. She knew she should pull away, but she just could not make herself do it. "I still can't get over the two of you being friendly with each other," Hermione admitted. Harry sent her a half smile. "I think I'm forgiven for anything I've ever done because of last night." Hermione grinned. "So your motives were purely selfish, eh?" "I'd do anything to make you happy," Harry said sincerely. "I can't seem to stay away from you," Hermione said softly. "I keep telling myself to put some distance between us, but I always find myself here." Harry stood up. "I told you how I feel..." "You love me," Hermione said, her eyes never leaving his. "I have for a long, long time." Harry said. "I was just stupid not to tell you." Hermione wanted to tell him he wasn't alone in his feelings. She felt the same way. "Sometimes, you can't say the things you most want to," she told him instead. "You know you can tell me anything," Harry said intently. "If things were different," Hermione said. "I could tell you how much having you around has meant to me. If things were different, I could tell you how I've never felt more myself than when I'm with you. I could tell you that I think about you all the time." "It can be different," Harry insisted. Hermione sadly shook her head. "You don't have to stay with him," Harry told her. "He's my husband and Bella's father," Hermione said looking away from him. "I took vows, Harry." Harry sighed. "This isn't fair to you," Hermione said. "I'm sorry." Harry didn't answer, only sat down again. "I wish we could turn back the clock," Hermione said softly. "No you don't," Harry said. "Because if you'd married me, you wouldn't have Bella." "There's something that I did that I regret more than anything," Hermione said looking away. "If I could change that, things could be different. But, I can't." "You can change anything you want to change," Harry said. "But whether you WANT to or not... that's a different story." Hermione shook her head. "I don't have a choice, Harry. My hands are tied!" "I'm not going to get into it," he said. "You have to do what you want to do." Hermione studied him for a few moments. She hated herself for putting him through this. It wasn't fair and yet here she was because she was too weak to stay away. "I should go. It's late and I'm sure Bella's tired." Harry nodded. "Have a good night. I'll see you both in the morning." "Will you think about what I said?" Hermione asked him. "About Billy?" Harry nodded. "Good night," Hermione said softly. "Night," Harry answered quietly. Hermione gave him one last look before she walked away. She felt as if her heart were breaking into a thousand pieces. She never wanted to hurt him. But, that's all she seemed to do these days. She hurried down the corridor to the room where Bella was with Billy. "We need to get going, sweetheart," she said to her daughter. "Mummy, Billy and I just started this game," Bella protested. "And I'm going to beat him this time." "You'll have to continue it tomorrow," Hermione said. Billy laughed at the look on Bella's face. "No worries, Bells. We can play tomorrow and I might even let you win this time." "Thanks," Bella said wryly. "Good night, Billy," Hermione told the boy. "Night, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "Bye, Bells." Bella gathered up her books and stuffed them in her bag. She took her mother's hand. "I drew this really great picture to send to Grandma Ellie." Hermione smiled. "She will love it, whatever it is." Bella beamed up at her mother. "Really?" "Of course," Hermione told her. Bella started telling her mother about all the things she had done that day. Hermione listened, her ears especially alert when Bella mentioned Billy had enjoyed himself when his prospective adoptive parents had visited. "Billy said that the Carsons have a puppy," Bella said. "Oh?" Hermione asked. Bella nodded. "I wish I could have a puppy." Hermione wished her daughter could have a puppy too, but Damian had out ruled that long ago. "How was your day, Mummy?" Bella asked. "It was fine, baby." Hermione answered. "Just long." Bella laughed. "Mummy every time I say that you tell me that there's the same hours in each day!" Hermione laughed too. "I do, don't I?" "You do," Bella giggled. "You're silly, Mummy." "Not as silly as my girl," Hermione hugged her. Bella's laugh was melodic as Hermione picked her up and spun her around. "Can we have some ice cream after dinner tonight?" Bella asked as Hermione set her down. "I don't see why not," Hermione answered as she fished for her keys. "Sundaes," Bella said twirling in place as she waited for her mother to open the door. "All right," Hermione agreed. "I like the sound of that." Hermione finally retrieved her keys from the bottom of her purse and opened the door. "Tilly!" Bella shouted. "We're home!" Instead of the maid greeting them, both Hermione and Bella were startled by a large figure bearing down on them. "D-Daddy," Bella stammered. "Damian!" Hermione fought to cover her surprise. "You... you're home..." "As are you," Damian said icily. "Finally." "I'm sorry," Hermione apologised. "We had a late night at the school." "Go upstairs, Isabella," Damian said glaring at the little girl who cowered at her mother's side. "Damian--" Hermione began. Damian held up his hand. "I had a very trying day, Hermione. I come home, expecting to find my wife to welcome me and instead, I sit here ...all alone for hours. " "If we had known--" Hermione started but Damian backhanded her. Bella gasped as her mother stumbled. "Go upstairs, sweetheart," Hermione managed to say. "Go upstairs and close your door." Bella nodded, racing away to her room. "Those bastards," Damian shook his head. "I was the best thing that ever happened to that hospital." "Wha-- what happened?" Hermione managed. Damian was not going to tell her that stupid bitch resident Cho Chang had turned him in for sexual harassment. The chief of surgery had bought Chang's story hook, line and sinker and hadn't even cared to hear Damian's side of the story. A couple of nurses had apparently backed up her story. "They told me they didn't need me anymore," he spat instead. "Acted as if everything I'd done didn't even matter." "Well I'm sure they didn't mean it that way, Damian." Hermione tried to appease him. "As if you would know," Damian glared at her. "Don't you get it, Hermione? I'm never going to practise in the States. Something like this is going to follow me..." "But if you helped--" Hermione tried. Damian grabbed her by the arm. "Quit acting as if you care. I'm sure this pleases you to see me fail." "Of course not," Hermione tried to pull away. Damian's grip tightened. "Who were you with while I was away?" "No one!" Hermione exclaimed. She could smell the alcohol on his breath. "Potter?" Damian asked angrily. "No!" Hermione lied. "Damian!" Upstairs, Bella hugged her teddy bear to her, wishing she could do something. She jumped when she heard a crashing sound and her mother cry out in pain. Though she was scared to death, she knew she couldn't just let her father get away with this. She hurried back downstairs, determined to get him to leave her mother alone. "Cheating bitch!" Bella winced as she heard her father shout at her mother. She peered around the doorway as she saw her father pull back and hit Hermione again. Anger replaced her fear. Bella stared at her father's back and felt the anger surge through her. Her hands started to shake as she balled them up into fists. She was about to shout at him to leave them alone when a lamp flew from the other side of the room at his head. "What the hell?" Damian asked. The lamp smashed just above his head and he staggered as he turned and regarded his daughter. "You little brat..." "L-leave her alone, Damian," Hermione stammered. Damian nearly fell over as he threw the rest of his empty bottle at Hermione. "You stupid whore! This is all your fault!" "G-go upstairs," Hermione managed. "P-please, Bella." Without another word, Bella turned and tore up the stairs. She tore into her dresser, searching for the secret mobile Hermione had placed in her drawer a few weeks ago. She heard her mother's voice in her head telling her how to dial the right numbers. "Police," a female dispatcher's voice came over the line. "Please help," Bella sniffed. "He's hurting my mummy!" "Who is, sweetheart?" the dispatcher asked. "He is," Bella wailed. "Please! You have to come!" "We're sending someone right now," the dispatcher told her, but Bella had already hung up the phone. She saw a card on the table. "Harry..." Bella whispered dialling in the number. She was afraid he wouldn't answer but after the fifth ring, he picked up. "Harry," she whimpered. "Help... please..." "Bella?" Harry asked. "What is it? What's wrong?" "He's hurting Mummy," Bella sobbed. "I'm scared!" "Bella," Harry said trying to stay calm because of Bella. "I'll be right there. Okay? Everything...everything's going to be fine." "I'm scared," Bella whispered, letting out a cry as she heard another crash downstairs. "I'll be right there," Harry promised. He threw his phone down and Apparated just outside the Conaghan home. He banged on the door. "Hermione!" he shouted. Inside the house, Damian stood over an unconscious Hermione. "Stupid bitch," he spat. He kicked his wife in the stomach before stumbling over to the bar and pouring himself another drink. Harry kicked the door open. "Hermione!" Damian tripped into the corridor. "What the fuck do you want?" he snarled. Harry grabbed him by the collar and shoved him against the wall. "Where are Hermione and Bella?" Damian shoved him back. "They're my family, not yours. Get the hell out of my house!" Harry punched him in the nose, causing Damian to stumble. "Where. Is. She?" Damian spat at him. "You son of a bitch. You'll pay for that." Harry heard the sound of sirens approaching the house. "Not so tough, Conaghan? Hmm? When it's a fair fight?" Damian regained his footing and shoved Harry, dropping his glass and shattering it on the floor. Bella stood at the foot of the stairs. "Harry!" Harry pushed Damian aside as the sirens stopped in front of the house. "Bella, where's your mum?" Bella pointed a shaking finger in the direction of the sitting room. Harry rushed past Damian and stopped short when he saw Hermione lying unconscious in the middle of the room. Anger like he hadn't known in years flowed through him, making the lights flicker and a wind blow through the room. "What the hell?" Damian asked. "What did you do to her, you bastard?" Harry asked through clenched teeth. There was a pounding on the front door. "POLICE! OPEN UP!" Damian ignored this as he rounded on Harry. "It's none of your business." Harry shoved him. "This IS my business! Hermione's my best friend and you will NEVER touch her again!" Two policemen hurried inside the house. "What seems to be the trouble here?" Harry glared at Damian. "Tell them, Conaghan." "Call for an ambulance," one of the policemen said when they noticed Hermione. Bella ran to Harry, her face streaked with tears. "Is my mummy okay?" Harry scooped her up and hugged her tightly. "She will be, sweetheart. And you were so brave." "Let go of my daughter!" Damian yelled. "You don't touch her," Harry snarled as Damian tried to pull Bella away. "Did you do this to your wife, sir?" The policeman asked Damian. "No," Damian lied. "I came home and saw him in here." he pointed at Harry. "He's lying," Harry told the policeman. "Bella called me in hysterics because he was beating up Hermione. And it's not the first time he's done it, either." The policeman looked at Bella. "Is this true, love?" Bella buried her face in Harry's shoulder. Harry patted her back in comforting fashion. "Its okay, Bella. You can tell them. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." "Isabella," Damian said coldly. "Come here." Bella wrapped her arms tightly around Harry's neck. "Don't make me..." she whispered. "You don't have to go anywhere," Harry reassured her. "Just tell them what you know, sweetheart." Bella turned her head to look at the policeman. "My daddy...he...hurt Mummy." "Is tonight the first time?" the policeman asked her. "Isabella," Damian warned. Bella shook her head. "He does it a lot." The policeman nodded to his partner. "Read him his rights." The paramedics arrived just as the policeman was leading Damian out of the house in handcuffs. Bella buried her face in Harry's shoulder again. "Its okay, Bella," Harry told her. "You did the right thing." Bella watched over Harry's shoulder as the paramedics gingerly lifted Hermione onto a stretcher. Harry was stricken as he saw Hermione's face. "Do you want to ride to hospital with us?" the paramedic asked Harry. "You and the little girl?" Harry nodded. "Yes." Bella sobbed into Harry's shoulder as he carried her out to the ambulance. "Shhh..." Harry said distractedly as he watched them load the still unconscious form of his best friend into the ambulance. Harry sat in the front seat with Bella in his lap. The girl refused to leave his side. Harry winced as he heard the other paramedic radioing back to the hospital the details of Hermione's injuries. "...broken ribs...broken arm..." "Mummy's broken," Bella whispered. "Your mummy is one of the strongest people I know," Harry said softly. "She's going to be okay." He could not get the image of Hermione's bloodied face out of his head. Bella listened to the ambulance driver another moment. "What's a concus... concu... concussion?" "It's an injury," Harry tried to explain. "It can happen when you hit your head against something..." Bella's lower lip trembled dangerously. "Hey," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "Your mummy is going to be fine. The doctors are going to help her and she's going to be so proud of her brave girl." Bella nodded, staving off her tears as they arrived at the hospital. "It's going to be okay," Harry promised her. Bella only nodded, clinging onto him as they got out of the ambulance. A doctor was waiting for them and they wheeled Hermione straightaway into the emergency room. A nurse directed Harry and Bella to the waiting room. Harry would have liked nothing more than to be with Hermione, but he knew she would want him here with Bella. "Will you please let us know as soon as you find anything out?" Harry asked quietly. "Of course," the nurse told him. Harry sat down. "He didn't do anything to you, did he Bella?" he asked the young girl in his lap. Bella shook her head. "He--he wasn't 's’posed to be home. He hit Mummy and she---she told me to go up to my room." "Good," Harry said. "What's going to happen to Daddy?" Bella asked. "I don't know, Bella," Harry said. Bella hugged Harry again. "But I promise he'll never hurt you again," Harry said. "Or Mummy?" Bella asked. "Or your mother," Harry promised. Nearly an hour later, there was still no word on Hermione's condition. Bella had fallen asleep in Harry's arms. Harry sighed and was about to get up and ask when a woman approached him. "You're the one who came in with Hermione Conaghan, correct?" "Yes," Harry replied. "I'm with Child Protection Services," the woman replied. "I'm here about Isabella." Harry looked down at the sleeping girl in his lap. "She's holding up okay. If you could come back tomorrow---" The woman shook her head. "I have to take her with me." Harry looked up at the woman in surprise. "No." "I'm afraid so," the woman said, her voice a bit more firm. "She's been through enough tonight," Harry tried to reason with the woman. "I don't have a choice," the woman replied. "Look, you could put her in the custody of her grandmother," Harry argued. "You can't---" "She has to come with me, tonight." the woman said. "Its protocol and I'm afraid there's no room for argument." Harry sighed. He gently tapped Bella on the arm. "Bella..." Bella stirred drowsily. "Sleeping Beauty," Harry said softly. "Is my mummy okay?" Bella asked. "I d-don't know," Harry replied. "But, um, this nice lady here is going to take you to a place where you can get some sleep and I'm going to come and see you tomorrow morning. I promise." "I don't want to leave," Bella shook her head. "I know," Harry said at a complete loss as to what to do. "Don't make me leave," Bella's eyes filled with tears. "I want my mummy." Harry again turned his gaze to the social worker. "Please." "I have to," the woman looked regretful. Tears streamed down Bella's face as the woman took her from Harry. "Harry!" Bella cried, reaching out for him. "Please!" "I... I'm sorry," Harry said, his voice cracking. "I'll come see you in the morning, Bella. I promise." The woman reached into her pocket with her free hand and gave Harry her card. "Thank you," Harry said. "Harry!" Bella cried in vain as the woman carried her out of the hospital. Harry watched helplessly as Bella was taken away. In his whole life, he'd never felt more helpless. "Mr. Potter?" a voice from behind him asked. Harry turned. "Yes?" "Mrs. Conaghan is awake," the doctor said. Harry got to his feet. "She is? How is she?" "She has a concussion, as well as several broken bones," the doctor said. "She's very lucky it wasn't more serious." "Can I see her?" Harry asked. The doctor nodded. "We need someone to keep her awake the rest of the night--" "I'll do it," Harry volunteered. "A nurse will be coming in to monitor every so often, but you'll need to keep her awake and lucid," the doctor led him to Hermione's room. "I'll also warn you now that her face is very badly bruised." Harry nodded. The doctor pushed open the door. "Mrs. Conaghan- we have someone to see you." Harry stood in the doorway and felt a surge of anger toward Damian Conaghan as he took a battered and bruised Hermione. Hermione, who had been looking hopefully at the doorway, turned so Harry couldn't see her face. The doctor left them alone. Harry sat down on the chair beside the bed. "I didn't know he'd be home," Hermione finally said in a choked voice. Harry reached for her hand. "Shhhh...." A tear leaked out of one swollen eye. "I put Bella in such a horrible situation." Harry squeezed her hand. "Your little girl was so brave. She phoned the police and me from that hidden mobile." Hermione let out a sob. "She's so smart." "She takes after her mother," Harry said softly. "I'm not brave," Hermione muttered. "You are," Harry said. "You are." "No I'm not," Hermione said. "Or I'd have left Damian a long time ago." "Hermione, why did you stay?" Harry asked gently. "Please tell me. Help me understand." "I can't," Hermione said. "He's in jail," Harry told her. "There's nothing he can do." "It's not what he did," Hermione said. "It's what I've done." "What did you do?" Harry asked, stroking her hand. Hermione closed her eyes as she fought back tears. "I signed something," Hermione finally said. "You signed what?" Harry asked softly. "Before," Hermione replied. "Before we were married, Damian had me sign a prenuptial agreement.” "So?" Harry asked. "Hermione if you're worried about money--" Hermione shook her head and winced in pain. "Shhh..." Harry said. "Don't stress yourself." "He swept me off my feet," Hermione told him. She knew if she did not tell Harry the truth now, she'd never tell him. "Before the wedding, he had these papers drawn up and I just signed. I signed without looking at what I was signing." "What was it?" Harry squeezed her hand gently. Hermione exhaled. "If our marriage ended for any reason, he would have rights to everything---money, property, and...and any children we would have. I would get absolutely nothing." Harry stared at her wordlessly. "I tried to find a way out of it," Hermione said as a tear fell down her cheek. "I tried, but there was nothing. He thought of every single loophole and he---he threatened to expose my father..." "What about your father?" Harry asked. "He had some financial troubles," Hermione told Harry. "Damian's father bailed him out and Damian threatened to ruin my father." Harry shook his head. "Every single time I tried to get out, he'd throw it up in my face," Hermione said quietly. "I'd like to throttle him," Harry said angrily. "I-I thought he was going to kill me tonight," Hermione said, her brown eyes locking on Harry's. "If he had, I'd have killed him too," Harry said furiously. Hermione squeezed his hand. "Harry..." "I'm not leaving you again," Harry told her. "I don't care what it takes; we'll find you a way out of this." Hermione thought that would be hopeless, but she was tired to sitting back and taking whatever Damian had to dish out. She wanted to be brave for her daughter. It was time to fight back. "I won't leave you," Harry promised intently. Hermione started to cry and Harry leaned in and kissed her forehead. "I've messed up," Hermione sobbed. "This isn't your fault," Harry said fervently. "He took advantage of you and your family. But, those days are over." "How can you stick by me after what I've done?" Hermione asked. "I love you," Harry said. Hermione wiped at her eyes. "Harry... where's Bella? I need to see her." "She's fine," Harry replied. "You can see her tomorrow." "Where is she?" Hermione asked. Harry looked down. "Child Protective Services has her." "What?" Hermione gasped. "The police must have called them in," Harry said thoughtfully. "The woman said it was protocol. I'm going to get her out of there tomorrow. Perhaps, I can have her stay with your parents until you're out of here." Hermione pulled her hand away from Harry and buried her face in her palms. "Hermione, she's okay," Harry tried to reassure her. "No," Hermione said. "Harry- the people and places they put these children in... they're deplorable!" "I'll go to London and get your mother," Harry said hastily. "I'll have her take Bella out of there. Hermione, I'm so sorry. I didn't know--" "You have to get her out!" Hermione said shrilly. "I will," Harry promised. "Go!" Hermione said. Harry nodded. "I'll have a nurse sit with you." Hermione felt like her whole world was falling apart and barely heard Harry. "Bella," Hermione whispered. Hermione had seen firsthand what the hovels they put CPS retrieved children in and it nearly killed her to think of her daughter sleeping there that night. Hermione hoped that Harry would be able to take Bella out of there. He had to find a way. Harry left the hospital after giving the nurse’s station his mobile number with instructions to call if he was needed. He didn't know what time it was and he didn't care. The only thing that mattered was bringing Elinore Granger here so she could claim custody of Bella for the night. Harry Apparated to London and made his way to the Granger residence. Elinore was just getting ready for bed when she heard the doorbell downstairs. Robert wasn't due back home for another couple of days. "Who's there?" she called cautiously. "It's Harry," he called back. "I need to talk to you- it's urgent!" Elinore opened the door. "Harry? What on earth?" "He beat her up again," Harry said in a rush. "He's in jail, but Bella's in child protective services." "What?" Elinore asked in alarm. "Hermione wants us to get her out of there," Harry explained quickly. "I need your help." "Of course," Elinore replied. "I'll do anything." "Thank you," Harry said. "I'll Apparate us there." Elinore barely heard him. She wanted to see that her daughter and granddaughter were okay. "I have to make sure that bastard stays in jail," Harry said as Elinore went for a coat. Elinore turned. "He didn't hurt Isabella did he?" Harry shook his head. "If he had laid a finger on her..." Elinore grabbed her bag. "Let's go." Harry Apparated them back just outside the hospital. He had no idea where to even begin to get Bella. He pulled the card from his pocket. "Lucky for us, the CPS is just down the street here." "Good," Elinore said tersely. "I want to get to Hermione as soon as possible." Harry nodded and led the way down the street. He kept looking at the card hoping that the social worker would prove sympathetic. They arrived at the office and were dismayed to see the hours posted on the door clearly stating they were long closed. "There's a button here," Elinore said. "For emergencies..." Harry pressed it and held it for a long moment. He waited a split second before pressing it again. A harried looking woman opened the door. "Yes?" "We're here to pick up Isabella Conaghan," Harry said. "She was just brought in here, but I have her grandmother." "Sir," the woman started to shake her head. "I have the permission of her mother to take her for the night," Elinore interjected. "Please." "There are rules, miss," the woman told her. "I'm afraid I can't---" "Just get her for us," Harry said impatiently. "Please," Elinore begged. "She's been through a lot tonight. She needs to be somewhere with people who love her." The woman looked thoughtfully at Elinore. "I need to check with my supervisor. Wait here." The woman closed the door and Elinore exhaled. "I'll break her out of there myself if I have to," Harry said remembering the urgency in Hermione's voice. "I should have never let them take her...' "You didn't know," Elinore replied. "I'm just glad you were there, Harry." "If the police hadn't arrived when they did, I would have killed him," Harry told her. "If we had only known," Elinore shook her head. "If we had known what he'd do... we would never have encouraged the relationship." Harry put his hand on her shoulder. "No one knew, but that's changing now. He's going to pay for what he did." Elinore nodded as she saw the woman come back down. "We can release Isabella into your custody, Dr. Granger," the woman replied. "Thank you," Elinore said in relief. "Thank you so much." "Can we go upstairs and get her?" Harry asked. "She can," the woman motioned to Elinore. "I'm afraid we can't allow you in..." "Of course," Harry said. "I'll wait down here." Upstairs, in her small bed, Bella cried. She couldn't sleep without her teddy bear and she couldn't sleep because she was worried about her mother. Just then, the door cracked open and Bella saw one person she least expected to see. "Grandma?" she asked in a tiny voice. "Hello, sweetheart," Elinore said opening her arms. Bella pushed back the rough covers and hurried to her. "Where's mummy?" "I'm going to take you to see her," Elinore hugged Bella tightly. "Right now." Bella clung to her as Elinore carried her out where Harry was waiting. "Hey you," Harry said smiling at the little girl. "I know someone who is eager to see you." Bella's eyes filled with tears. "I want my mummy," she said softly. Harry took Bella from Elinore. "Let's go." They hurried down the street to the hospital. "We have to keep Hermione awake tonight. I wouldn't have left if she hadn't wanted me to get Bella out." Elinore nodded. "I can help with that." She had to step quickly to keep up with Harry's pace as he led them into the hospital to Hermione's room. Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes when she saw her daughter in Harry's arms. "Baby..." "Mummy," Bella squirmed. Harry set Bella down and the little girl ran to her mother's bedside. It hurt terribly to hug her daughter but Hermione didn't care. "Are you okay baby?" she asked. Bella nodded. "Are you okay, Mummy?" "I will be, sweetheart," Hermione said. Elinore started to cry and Harry put an arm around her for support. "Mum," Hermione noticed her own mother for the first time. "What-- why..." "They released Bella into my custody," Elinore explained, wiping at her eyes. "Thanks to Harry." "Thank you," Hermione said, her eyes meeting Harry's. Bella leaned over and kissed her mother's bruised cheek. "Kiss to make it better," Bella whispered. "That's right baby," Hermione moved her hand to take Bella's. "Sweetheart, are you in pain?" Elinore asked. "A little," Hermione lied. Harry knew Hermione wasn't telling the truth for Bella's benefit. He wished there was something he could do to ease her pain. His mind wandered to Damian Conaghan and the many ways he could make him pay. Chances were, the doctor would be out on bail by tomorrow. Harry wasn't going to let him anywhere near Hermione or Bella. *** *** *** Hermione watched as her mother and Harry left with Bella in tow for the hospital cafeteria. They had stayed up with her all night and she'd been checked over by the doctor who told her she could finally sleep without danger of her concussion. Hermione was exhausted both mentally and physically. She had no idea what she must look like. One of her eyes was still swollen and it hurt when she smiled or frowned. Hermione managed to turn onto her side and closed her eyes to try and get some sleep. She was mentally and physically exhausted. For the first time in years, she felt free. It was a strange, but empowering feeling. Hermione smiled- albeit strangely, given her swollen jaw- and pulled the covers over herself. She was almost asleep when she heard the one voice she never wanted to hear again. "Hello, sweetheart," Damian Conaghan's cold voice called out to her from the doorway. Hermione froze, her blood running cold. "Surprised to see me?" Damian asked shutting the door behind him. Hermione trembled in terror. She grasped for the call button but he snatched it away. "My attorney posted my bail," Damian told her. "I bet you didn't think that would happen, did you?" "Damian--" Hermione began. Damian held up his hand. "In the past two days, I've been sacked, arrested and humiliated. This is my bloody hospital, Hermione! Do you have any idea what they're going to say about you're being here?" "It's not like I asked to come here," Hermione retorted. "You need to drop the charges," Damian warned her. Hermione summoned up her courage. "No." Damian stepped closer. "You know what happens when you tell me 'no'." "You can't do this to me, Damian." Hermione pointed to her face. "And I'm not going to let you ruin my career," Damian said reaching out and touching her cheek. "Your bruises will heal. They always do." "The ones on the outside," Hermione pulled away. "Where's your protector, eh?" Damian asked. "The great wizard?" "I haven't done magic in years," Hermione's voice shook. "And he--" "What a pair the two of you are," Damian laughed. "Freaks." "Go away, Damian," Hermione fought to stay strong. "I'm not dropping the charges." Damian grabbed her by the arm. Hermione cried out in pain. "You listen to me and you listen well. You're going to drop the charges or you'll never see Isabella again." "Let me go!" Hermione winced. Damian leaned in and kissed her hard on the lips. Just outside Hermione's room, Harry was rethinking his decision to come back up here. He knew Hermione was getting some much needed rest, but he didn't want to leave her alone. He was surprised to see her door was closed and even more surprised to discover it locked. "Hermione!" he knocked. "Harry!" Hermione called out. "Shut the hell up!" Damian shouted backhanding Hermione. "Harry!" Hermione sobbed. "Help me!" Harry waved his hand in front of the door. The door swung open and Harry saw red when he spotted Damian leaning over Hermione. 17. Fall For You ---------------- **Wow you guys are sure eager for Harry to give it to Damian aren’t you? LOL Well we do hope you enjoy this one, and things will start to wrap up soon on this fic, probably another 3-4 weeks is our guess. Also posting early today to make up for missing last week’s, so please enjoy!** **Fall For You – Secondhand Serenade** **This is not what I intended I always swore to you that I would never fall apart You always thought that I was stronger I may have failed But I have loved you from the start Oh, But hold your breath Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you, over again Don't make me change my mind I won't live to see another day I swear it's true Because a girl like you is impossible to find It's impossible So breathe in so deep Breathe me in I'm yours to keep** "You son of a bitch!" He raced in and shoved the other man up against the wall. "Let go of me!" Damian shouted. "You don't get to touch her EVER AGAIN!" Harry said his eyes blazing. Harry grabbed his wand out of his back pocket and pointed it at Damian. The older man laughed at him. "What are you going to do with that, Potter? Poke my eye out?" "I could kill you with this," Harry said angrily. "I don't have time for one of your little parlour tricks," Damian said defiantly. Harry muttered a spell that rendered Damian speechless. Damian's brave facade crumbled. "You will never go near her again," Harry said, slamming him against the wall. "You will never go near Bella again. Or I will *kill* you. And they'll never find your body." "And I'm not dropping the charges," Hermione said to her husband. "You're going to pay for this. For once in your horrible life, you're going to pay. "Give him his voice back," Hermione said, pushing herself up. "You're sure?" Harry asked her. When Hermione nodded, Harry did as she asked. "You... bitch..." Damian said weakly. Hermione just shook her head. "I'm not going to take it anymore, Damian. You can call me whatever you want. It doesn't mean anything to me." Harry smirked at the other man. "I'll file for divorce and you're not going to get anything," Damian said. "You'll have nothing. I'll be the wronged husband trying to provide for his family while his whore of a wife shagged anything that moved." "Not so," Harry glared at him. "I was there that night. I saw what you did." "Who would believe you?" Damian asked. "I would," Elinore said from the door. Bella held tightly to her grandmother's hand. "What the hell are you doing here?" Damian asked. "Claiming my daughter," Elinore snapped. Bella made a move to go toward her mother and Damian reached for her. "NO!" Bella wailed. Harry shoved the man out of the way. “Touch her and I’ll kill you now,” he said, his green eyes alit with his rage. Bella ran over to her mother's bed. Hermione held her daughter tightly. "It's okay, baby. It's okay. He's not going to hurt you or me ever again." "I don't want to leave you again," Bella said. "You never will," Hermione vowed looking pointedly at her husband as she said this. "You're mine." "Not according to that contract," Damian sneered. "Contract?" Harry asked, playing dumb. Elinore had found a copy of it last night when she'd gone back to the house to pick up some belongings for Hermione and Bella. Harry had owled it over to Neville. "Yes," Damian snarled. "She signed it when we first married." "Ironclad, is it?" Harry asked. "Completely," Damian replied. "Did you read over the contract yourself?" Harry asked. "Before you signed it? I mean, all that fine print..." "Of course I did," Damian said, glaring at Harry. "Well," Harry said. "I guess you missed the clause that stated the contract would be null and void if either party in the marriage was convicted of a felony?" Hermione gasped. "What?" Damian's smile faltered. "What are you talking about?" Harry resisted the urge to laugh. "Contract is null and void, Conaghan." Damian did not remember any such phrasing in the contract. He wondered if Potter was bluffing. "I'll be happy to have a copy mailed to your attorney," Harry said. "Not so tough now, are you?" Hermione asked. "I'll find a way out of this," Damian growled. "Good luck with that," Harry said. "And---you know, I have it on good authority that you led quite the life while you were at Johns Hopkins. Dismissed due to sexual harassment and improper conduct..." Elinore shook her head angrily. "And we both know you haven't been a very faithful husband," Hermione said glaring at him. "What about you," Damian countered, advancing on her. "You were probably shagging him soon as he got here." "I think it's time you said goodbye, Conaghan," Harry said, grabbing him by the arm. Damian jerked away. "I ought to-" Harry pointed his wand at Damian's throat. Bella's eyes grew large as she watched this unfold. "I told you," Harry said darkly. "I'll see you in court," Damian said glaring at Harry and then shooting a menacing glance in the direction of his wife and daughter. Hermione lifted her chin. "Yes, we will." Damian stalked out of the room, slamming the door behind him. "Are you okay?" Harry asked Hermione. Hermione nodded. "I'm better than okay." "Good," he said. "What you said about that contract?" Hermione asked. "That was real?" Harry’s smile faltered a bit. “Not exactly. I sent a copy to Neville last night… and he’s going to see what we can do about it.” "No jury in its right mind would let him go free," Elinore said. "When he's convicted, he'll have no claim. None at all." "That's the idea," Harry said. Bella's eyes were still on the wand in Harry's hand. "Sweetheart?" Hermione asked. "Are you all right?" "W-what's that, Mummy?" Bella asked pointing at the wand. Harry looked at Hermione, who nodded. "It's a wand, Bella. For magic." "Magic?" Bella whispered. "All those stories about Buckbeak..." Hermione said. "Those were true." Bella looked up at her mother. "Really? You could--" Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. "Your mum was the smartest witch of her age. Top marks in all her classes." "How come you never do magic?" Bella asked. "Your daddy didn't like it," Hermione replied. "He wanted me to hide who I was and for awhile, that was okay for me. But, I missed it. I missed who I really was." "Can I see?" Bella asked. Harry handed Hermione his wand. "Go ahead, Granger." Hermione smiled. "Wingardium Leviosa," she waved the wand at the pitcher of water and it floated into the air. Bella's jaw dropped. "Mummy!" "I'll have to get my old wand out," Hermione looked at her mother. "If my things are still at the house, that is." Elinore nodded. "They're in the attic." "You really kept my things?" Hermione asked. Elinore smiled at her daughter. "For the longest time, they were all that we had left of you. I used to go up in the attic and look at them." "I'm sorry," Hermione said, tears springing to her eyes. "You don't have to apologise," Elinore said squeezing her daughter's hand. "We've found each other again and I'm so proud of you and my granddaughter." "I love you Grandma," Bella reached for her. "I love you too," Elinore said hugging her tightly. "Now we just have to get through a courtroom scene," Hermione sighed. "You're not going to do it alone," Elinore reassured her. "I'll be there," Harry promised. "I'd like that," Hermione said smiling at him. "I've rented a hotel room where I'm staying," Harry replied. "The adjoining one to mine." "I was thinking it would be best for Hermione and Bella to stay with Robert and me," Elinore said. "I still have my work here, Mum." Hermione said. "And Bella has school here." "Oh," Elinore said trying to hide her disappointment. "We'll visit," Hermione promised. "Weekends and days off." Elinore smiled. "I'd love that." "I can't wait to see Dad," Hermione said softly. "He's flying into Johannesburg this afternoon," Elinore told her. "He is?" Hermione asked. "Really?" Elinore nodded and smiled at Bella who was still holding on to her mother. "He can't wait to see you again and to meet Isabella." "Is my grandpa nice?" Bella asked. "He is," Elinore said. "And he's going to love you." "I hope so," Bella said fervently. "I know so," Hermione said giving her daughter a kiss on the cheek. "It's going to be okay now, right Mummy?" Bella asked. Hermione nodded. "It is, baby." "I don't want to see him again," Bella said. "You don't have to worry about him," Harry said. "You're going to be busy with school and helping your mum get better." Bella smiled. "You know what I bet your mother would love?" Elinore asked Bella. "If you and I go down to the gift shoppe and buy her a book and some flowers. What do you think?" "A big book," Bella nodded. "Right Mummy?" Hermione smiled. "Right, sweetheart." Harry smiled as Elinore took Bella and left the two of them alone. "Can I get you anything?" "You've done so much for me already," Hermione said softly, patting the space beside her on the bed. "You were the brave one," Harry told her. "For once," Hermione said quietly. "How come you didn't tell me about the contract?" he asked, "I didn't see any way out," Hermione replied looking away from him. "I'd have still helped you," Harry pointed out. Hermione did not reply. If she had said something sooner, maybe this all could have been avoided. "Don't blame yourself," Harry reached for her hand. "I would have done anything to protect my daughter," Hermione said. "I don't blame you," Harry said. Hermione started to cry and Harry gingerly held her, not wanting to aggravate her injuries. "It's okay," he said softly. "You're going to be okay now." "Am I?" Hermione asked. "Absolutely," Harry told her. "My hero," Hermione said holding him tightly. Harry kissed the top of her head. "I won't ever leave you again." "I'm so tired," Hermione said. "Sleep then," he said. "Lie down with me?" Hermione asked. "Of course," Harry replied. Hermione touched his cheek. "Thank you." "I'll do anything for you," he told her. "I'd do anything for you," Hermione said. Harry smiled at her. "Just get some rest." "I think I can do that," Hermione said lying back down on her bed. "I'll be here when you wake up," he promised. Hermione reached for his hand. She had dreamed about being with him like this for so long. “You won't find me gone when you wake up this time," Harry added. "Don't let go," Hermione said before she closed her eyes. "I won't," Harry circled his arms around her. Harry kissed the top of her head. "Sweet dreams." *** *** *** Elinore kept Bella at her hotel the next day and Hermione was still at the hospital; Harry went into the school, knowing that it would be all over the place about what had happened the previous night and his involvement in everything that had transpired. After he met with the headmistress, Harry walked upstairs to Billy and Bella's classroom. He wanted to check on any assignments Bella might have missed and he would drop them off at Elinore's hotel after school. "Good morning Mrs. Morando," Harry said to her. "Good morning," Mrs. Morando said. Her students were filing one by one into the classroom as class was to start in a few minutes. "How is Isabella?' "She's with her grandmother," Harry said. "She probably won't be back for a few days, so I was going to collect her assignments." Mrs. Morando nodded. "Give me just a moment and I'll gather those for you." "Thank you," Harry said as Billy came into the room. "Hey--" his words died as Billy stalked past him. "Billy?" Harry asked. Billy glared at him and turned the other way. "I take it you heard what's happened?" Harry asked. "Yeah," Billy said sullenly. "And now because of you, Bella's in some nasty home." It was suddenly clear to Harry why Billy was acting the way he was. "Mrs. Morando?" Harry asked the teacher. "I'm just going to step outside in the hall with Billy here." Mrs. Morando nodded. "Of course." Harry led the way out into the corridor. Billy folded his arms and glared up at him. "Billy," Harry began. "I don't think you know the whole story." "I know enough," Billy muttered. "Well what do you think you know?" he asked. "My best friend is in a children's home because you snitched," Billy snapped at him. "Billy she's not in a home," Harry said. "Her grandmother and I took her out not long after she was brought in. Who told you otherwise?" Billy shrugged. "You can tell me," Harry said. "No one will get in trouble." Billy kicked his foot against the wall. "Everyone's talking about it." "Billy she's at a hotel with her grandmother right now," Harry reassured him. "She's going to visit her mum in a couple of hours." Billy looked uncertainly at him. "For real?" "I promise," Harry said solemnly. "Is Mrs. Conaghan okay?" Billy asked. "She will be okay," Harry replied. "Bells, too?" Billy asked. "Bella's fine," Harry smiled at him. Billy finally smiled. "Good. I was really worried." "Perhaps this afternoon we can go see them," Harry suggested. "I'd like that," Billy replied. "Unless of course you're going somewhere with those people..." Harry said. Billy shook his head. "I'm not." "Oh," Harry nodded. "Okay then..." "Bells is really, really okay?" Billy asked. "I promise you," Harry said. "Nothing happened to her. She's fine." "And her Dad?" Billy asked. "He's going on trial," Harry said. "I don't think things look good for him." Billy nodded. He had never liked Bella's father. "Come on," Harry put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Time for class to start." "It's going to be boring without Bells," Billy told him. "You'll get through it," Harry grinned. Billy laughed. "Says you." "I'll stop by after class is over to take you to see Bella," Harry promised as they went back in the classroom. Mrs. Morando beckoned Harry over to her desk. "I've included the assignments for the next few days." She handed him a folder and some books. "Thank you," Harry said. "I know Hermione will appreciate this." Billy sat back down at his desk. "I heard that her dad beat her mummy up," one of the boys in the class was whispering to someone else. Billy turned and glared at him. "Shut up about it." "I wonder if he hit her, too?" Jordan asked. "She was out a lot." "I said shut up," Billy stood up. "Bells is okay." The other boy laughed and nudged Jordan. "Don't insult his girlfriend, mate." Billy wanted nothing more than to punch his classmate's lights out. "William," Mrs. Morando called out to him. "Take your seat." "Yeah," the boy laughed. "Take your seat." Billy rounded on him and grabbed him by the collar. He reared back to punch him when someone one pulled him back. "That's not the answer to this," Harry said, holding his arm. "Let me go!" Billy protested. "Come with me for a minute," Harry nodded at Mrs. Morando. "I'll have him back soon." "Of course," Mrs. Morando nodded. Harry led the younger boy down the corridor to his office. "What was that all about?" "They were making comments about Bella!" Billy shouted at him. "I wasn't just going to sit there!" Harry nodded. "And you thought punching him would help her?" Billy shrugged. "It would have made me feel better!" "And it would have landed you in hot water," Harry told him. "Besides that... I don't think Bella would like hearing you were hitting another person. Not after what just happened." Billy nodded and looked down at the floor. "Right," he said quietly. "I understand she's your friend and you want to defend her, but what's best is if you hear people talking about what happened, tell us and we'll deal with it." Harry told him in a gentler tone. Billy looked up at him. "I'll try." "You're a good kid, Billy," Harry told him. "I don't know if people ever tell you that. But you are." "Just you and Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "You're the only ones." "That's a shame," Harry put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Since I've been here, I really have come to think of you like a friend." Billy beamed up at him. "Really?" "Absolutely," Harry said. In truth, he felt more like a father figure to the boy, but didn't want to verbalize that. Billy grinned. "Thanks, Harry." "Back to class with you," Harry patted him on the shoulder. "And I'll see you later." "Harry?" Billy asked just before he walked back into the classroom. "If I still had a dad, I'd---I'd want him to be like you." Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Billy had already ducked back inside. The boy's comment left him dumbfounded. While Harry was trying to process all of this, Hermione was sitting up in her hospital bed, reading a book when a knock on the door startled her. "Neville!" Hermione exclaimed. "What on earth---" "Hi," he said nervously. "Can... can I come in?" "Of course," Hermione said setting her book aside. She noticed Neville flinched when he came closer. "If you think I look bad, you should see the other guy," she tried to joke. "I should have realised--" Neville began. Hermione shook her head. "Neville, you weren't to know." "I should never have let this go on so long," Neville said. "I should have told Harry and Ron ages ago that I've known where you were." "You made a promise to me and you never broke your promise," Hermione said. "Neville, if anyone should be apologising it's me. I put you in a terrible position." Neville shrugged. "And you did lead Harry in this direction," Hermione said softly. "And that's the best thing you could have done for my daughter and me." "I hope so," Neville replied. "He told me he brought your mother here." Hermione nodded. "She's with Bella right now. My father's supposed to arrive sometime this afternoon." "That's great," Neville told her. "I know how long it's been since you saw him." Hermione nodded and wiped at her eyes. "How about you? How's your family doing? Hannah's due to give birth any day now?" Neville nodded. "I'm really excited." "I can imagine," Hermione said. "Have you and Hannah picked out any names yet?" "For a boy, Jason." Neville replied. "If it's a girl, Samantha." Hermione smiled. "Those are great names, Neville." "Thanks," Neville grinned at her. "There's something I'd like to ask you," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Of course," Neville said. "Anything." "Damian and I never---we never really got around to naming godparents for Isabella," Hermione said. "He said it was a waste of time." "There's a lot of things I'm sure he said that weren't right," Neville shook his head. "Yeah," Hermione said squeezing his hand. "But, I'd like to change that now. I was wondering if you'd be Isabella's godfather?" "Really?" Neville asked. "Really," Hermione replied. "I’d love that," Neville said. "I really would." Hermione smiled. "Thank you." "Are you thinking of moving back to London?" he asked. "I don't know," Hermione replied honestly. "What comes next for you and Bella?" Neville asked. "And Damian?" "There will be a trial," Hermione said. "And if he's convicted, I get full custody of Bella. He was arrested again this morning. He wasn't supposed to come anywhere near me, but he did and Harry notified the authorities." "Good," Neville nodded. "He deserves nothing good." "I thought he was going to kill me," Hermione said quietly. "I wonder if he would have, if Harry hadn't come in." Neville said. Hermione did not like to think about that. "Well, you know how much he loves riding to my rescue. That whole 'saving people' thing he has." "That and he loves you," Neville said directly. "Neville," Hermione blushed. "He does," Neville said. "He never stopped. He never stopped looking for you." "I love him too," Hermione admitted. "I wanted to tell him, but I couldn't." "You can," Neville said. "There's nothing he won't do for you." "I'm scared," Hermione said softly. "I know," Neville squeezed her hand. "But now you have your parents back. You have me and Hannah, you have Harry and you also have your daughter." "You're going to make me cry again," Hermione said smiling at him. "We don't want that," Neville joked. "Are you hungry?" "Starving," Hermione replied. Neville reached for the hospital menu. "If you don’t' see something on here that you want, I'll go get you something." "I'd love a cheeseburger with everything on it," Hermione told him. "Chips?" Neville asked. "Of course," Hermione grinned. "There's a cafe around the corner," Neville said. "I'll go there." "Thanks, Neville," Hermione said gratefully. "Be back in a few minutes," he said, ducking out the door. Hermione reached for her book again, but the phone rang. "Hello?" "I didn't wake you, did I?" Harry asked. "No," Hermione said. "Neville's here. He's just gone to get me something to eat." "He said he might stop by," Harry said. "How are you?" "I'm... okay." Hermione said. Harry did not miss her hesitation. He knew that she was still figuring things out. "I was thinking I'd bring Billy by later to see Bella." "She'll love that," Hermione replied. He told her that he had picked up Bella's assignments and told her some of the things that were going on at the school. "They all know, don't they?" Hermione interrupted him. "Yeah," Harry said. "Billy almost got into a fight with one of the other boys today over it." Hermione sighed. "Almost?" "I stopped it," Harry told her. Hermione smiled. "Good." "He told me if he still had a dad, he would want him to be like me," Harry confessed. "Oh, Harry," Hermione whispered. "He's such a great kid," Harry said. "And... it didn't hit me until now... that I don't want to see him go anywhere." "What are you saying, Harry?" Hermione asked. "I don't know yet," Harry said. "We can talk about it when you come by later," Hermione said. "And Harry, I'd really like it if you'd be here when my father arrives." "You would?" he asked. "You don't have to, if you don't want to," Hermione started to say. "I'll be there," Harry said. "Without a doubt." "There's something I wanted to tell you, too," Hermione said softly. "There is?" Harry asked. Hermione smiled. "Something I've been wanting to say for quite awhile, actually." Harry didn't dare allow himself to think what he wanted to think. Surely after all she had just gone through, she wanted some time to herself. "I'll see you later then?" Hermione asked. "I'll be there with Billy soon as school is out," Harry promised. "Is there anything you'd like me to bring?" "No, I have everything I need," Hermione replied. "Okay," Harry said. "I'll see you in a few hours." "See you," Hermione said. Harry waited until she'd hung up. "I love you," he said quietly. The rest of the afternoon seemed to go by way too slowly for Harry. He was preoccupied with thoughts of Hermione, Billy and seeing Robert Granger again after all this time. He wondered what the older man would think of him now. He was all too aware of what Hermione's father used to think... but after everything that had happened since his arrival in Johannesburg, he hoped they would be able to make peace. Billy knocked on his door. "Harry?" Harry jumped. "Billy!" "Sorry," Billy apologised. "That's okay," Harry said. "I was just thinking about some things." "Mrs. Conaghan?" Billy asked. "Among other things," Harry nodded. "Are you ready to go?" Billy asked him. "I sure am," Harry said, pushing back his chair. "What's that you've got?" "Something I made for Bells in art class," Billy said. Harry smiled. "She'll like that." "I hope so," Billy replied. "Let's get going," Harry said. Billy grinned. He couldn't wait to see his best friend and make sure she was okay. Harry put his hand on Billy's shoulder as he led him outside. "You'll get to meet Bella's grandparents today," he told him. "What?" Billy asked. "She stayed with her grandmother last night," Harry explained. "And her grandfather is on his way here." "Oh," Billy said quietly. "What's wrong?" Harry asked. "I've never met them before," Billy replied. "What if they don't like me?" "What's not to like?" Harry asked. "I'm an orphan for one," Billy said. "So am I," Harry reminded him. "Do Mrs. Conaghan's parents like you?" Billy asked him. "I haven't seen her father in a long time," Harry said honestly. "But her mother does." "Is her father really scary?" Billy asked. Harry chuckled. "No." "Good," Billy said feeling slightly better. "Bella's going to be excited to see you," Harry assured him. "I hope so," Billy said as they left the school. They arrived at the hospital a few moments later. Hermione was sitting up in bed and Bella was colouring on the tray table. "Bells!" Billy called to her. Bella looked up and grinned. "Hey Billy!" "You're okay," Billy commented. Bella nodded. "Me and my mummy are okay now." "Hi, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "Hello, Billy." Hermione said. "How are you?" "Fine," Billy said. "Wow...that's quite a shiner you have." "Billy..." Harry nudged him. "Sorry," Billy said hastily. "My grandma went to go meet my grandpa at the airport," Bella said. "Oh," Billy said, relieved. He showed Bella his picture that he'd drawn for her and she gushed and told him she would hang it up in her room. "Hi," Harry said leaning over to give Hermione a kiss on the cheek. "Hi," she turned a bit red. "I wish I didn't look like such a minger..." "Shhh," Harry said touching her cheek. "You look beautiful." "Thanks," she said softly. "Any word on you getting out of here anytime soon?" he asked, taking a seat beside her bed. "I haven't heard anything yet," Hermione said. "Probably another day or two." He reached for her hand. "They're still worried about that concussion," Hermione said quietly. "Me too," Harry said. "I'll be okay," Hermione said. "I want to go home and have all this be done with." "Home?" Harry asked her. "Yeah," Hermione said. "Where is home now?" Harry asked her. "I guess that depends on the outcome at Damian's trial," Hermione answered. "How much money I have coming out of it. Either way, I want to find a new place to live." "In Johannesburg?" Harry asked, but Hermione didn't get a chance to answer. "Dad?" Hermione asked, looking over Harry's shoulder. "Hermione!" Robert's face went from happy to angry as he saw the damage his son in law had inflicted. Hermione started to cry. "Oh, Daddy." Robert rushed past Harry to hug his daughter. Billy tugged on Harry's arm. "He's really tall," he whispered. "Yes he is," Harry nodded. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Robert was saying to Hermione. "It's my fault," Hermione told him. Robert shook his head. "No, it's Damian Conaghan's. I swear he's not going to get away with this, Hermione. I promise you that. I'll get you the best barrister." "But Dad--" Hermione began to protest. "I haven't been here for you, but I'm here now," Robert cut her off. "We'll make this right." "Thanks," Hermione whispered. "Dad... I'd like you to meet your granddaughter, Bella." "Um, hi," Bella said nervously. Robert crouched down so he was more at Bella's height. "Hello, Bella. I'm glad to finally meet you." Bella's hand was shaking as she extended it to the older man. "Nice to meet you." "Ellie and I are staying for a week," Robert said. "So I hope we can spend some time together." Bella nodded. "Can Billy come, too?" Robert looked at the young boy standing by Harry. "This is Bella's best friend," Hermione told her father. "Billy, this is Bella's grandfather, Robert Granger." "Hi," Billy said nervously. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Billy," Robert said shaking his hand. "Any friend of my granddaughter's is a friend of mine." "I'm Elinore," Elinore told the little boy. "I'm Bella's grandmother. She's told us so much about you." "She did?" Billy asked. Bella's cheeks turned pink. "I left out a bit, Billy. I promise." "It's okay," Billy said. "Billy's my bestest friend in the whole wide world," Bella announced. Harry chuckled as Billy's face turned red. "He's a good kid." Robert stood back up and levelled his gaze at Harry. "Potter," he said. "Hello, Robert," Harry said, holding out his hand. Robert shook it. "I wanted to thank you for what you did for my daughter and granddaughter." Harry nodded. "I wish I could have done something sooner." "Me too," Robert said. "But, we can make up for it now. Hermione, you and Bella can move back to London---" "I don't know where I'm going just yet," Hermione interrupted. "Dad, I know you want what's best, but I'm not sure moving back to London is what I want to do." "I think it would be best for you to be surrounded by your family right now," Robert argued. "I will be," Hermione said. "I have to get through this court case now with Damian. Soon as I can, I'm going to file for divorce." "The last time we tried to steer Hermione in a direction, it didn't end up too well," Elinore pointed out to her husband. "Well yes but--" Robert began. "I know you care," Hermione pushed herself into a sitting position. "But I have to do what's best for Bella." Robert nodded. "I just don't want to lose you, Hermione." "You won't," Hermione promised. "Not again." Robert squeezed her hand. "Are you tired, love?" Elinore asked her daughter. "The pain medicine makes me a little drowsy," Hermione told her. "We'll go get something to eat with the children," Elinore said. "And come back later." "Bella, would you and Billy like that?" Hermione asked her daughter. Bella nodded and looked at her best friend. Billy nodded. "Sure." "Harry," Hermione said. "Will you stay a moment?" "Of course," Harry replied. "You're not coming with us?" Billy asked him anxiously. "We could wait outside and then Harry could come with us," Elinore said sensing the boy's nervousness. "Thanks," Harry said to her. "I'll just be a few moments." Elinore smiled and she and Robert led the children outside. "He was really nervous about meeting them," Harry explained to Hermione. Hermione nodded. "Bella was talking about him all afternoon." Harry sat on the edge of her bed. "She seems to be doing okay." "Better than me," Hermione commented. Harry stroked her hand. "If you want to talk about it..." "Not right now," Hermione said. "Not... yet." "When you want to, I'm here," Harry said. "I know," Hermione said. "I don't know how to thank you, Harry. Everything's changed since you came." "We've gone over this," Harry reminded her. "You don't have to thank me." "Yes I do," Hermione said. "If you hadn't come here, I'd still be with Damian and still taking his abuse because I always thought I deserved it." Harry shook his head. "You didn't deserve it." "I know that now," Hermione replied, leaning back on her pillows. "I wish I could have gotten there sooner," Harry said. "I could have stopped him." "You did, today." Hermione said. Harry leaned forward and brushed his lips softly against hers. Hermione closed her eyes and willed the tears that sprang up away. "What is it?" Harry asked her. "I don't know how you can love me still," she whispered. "How could I not?" Harry asked her. Hermione shook her head. "I can't promise anything right now, Harry... but once I've straightened everything out... maybe we could try..." "Try what?" Harry asked gently. "Being together," she said softly. "Try being together," Harry said thoughtfully. "If you still want me," she finished, her voice almost inaudible. "Hermione," Harry said looking at her. "I've wanted to be with you for a very long time." This time she didn't hold her tears back and Harry carefully enveloped her in his arms. "I've waited this long," Harry said into her hair. "I can wait a little longer." She nodded. "Thank you.” "I'd better go and let you get your rest," Harry said softly. "Will you be back later?" she asked. Harry nodded. "Bella and I have a surprise for you." "You do?" Hermione asked. "A big surprise," Harry said with a grin. "No hints?" she asked. Harry shook his head. "No hints. I promised Bella." Hermione had to smile. "That sounds like my daughter." Harry gave her another gentle kiss. "I'll be back later." 18. Time After Time ------------------- **Sorry yet again about my lack of updating. Yesterday was a really bad day- if any of you were ever Angel fans, you probably know that the guy who played Lorne died of heart failure at 33. I was lucky enough to meet him a few years back and was pretty upset about hearing that he passed away. RIP Andy Hallet, you will most definitely be missed.** **Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper** **Lying in my bed I hear the clock tick and think of you Caught up in circles, confusion is nothing new Flash back warm night, almost left behind Suitcase of memories Time after sometime you pictured me I'm walking too far ahead You're callin' to me I can't hear what you've said Then you said, "Go slow, I fall behind" The second hand unwinds If you're lost you can look and you will find me Time after time If you fall I will catch you, I'll be waiting Time after time If you're lost you can look and you will find me Time after time If you fall I will catch you, I'll be waiting Time after time** "Okay," she said softly. "I'll get some sleep." Harry gave her one last look before he walked out of the room. Bella, Billy and Hermione's parents were waiting for him. "You didn't tell her, did you?" Bella asked, folding her arms and looking up at him. "I didn't say a word," Harry promised. Bella grinned. "I told Grandma and Grandpa all about it." "It sounds very nice," Elinore said. "I'm sure Hermione will love it. It's very nice of Tilly to agree to cook that for her." "Tilly definitely cares about Hermione," Harry replied. "I've spoken to her a few times and she's been worried." "She's been with us for a long time," Bella told her grandparents. "I think she'd want to stay with Hermione, wherever she decides to go." Harry told them as they left. Billy stayed close to his side. "She's family," Bella said. "She helped keep me safe." "I always liked her too," Billy volunteered. Bella linked her hand in Billy's. "She always let me bring you biscuits." "And pie," Billy nodded. "And cake," Bella said with a grin. Elinore laughed. "You two will ruin your appetites before we even eat." Harry picked up Billy and swung him around. "You haven't seen this one eat yet." Billy laughed. "Harry!" Bella laughed too. "You're flying again!" "He has quite a way with them, doesn't he?" Robert commented in a low voice to his wife. Elinore nodded. "He and Billy seem quite taken with each other." "They do," Robert said. His eyes fell on his granddaughter. "And Bella---she reminds me so much of Hermione." "She's brilliant," Elinore agreed. "Damian's not going to hurt her or our daughter again," Robert vowed. Elinore nodded. "And you know we do have Harry to thank for bringing Hermione back into our lives." Robert sighed. "I know, Ellie. We were so wrong." "We won't lose her again," Elinore replied. "Absolutely not," Robert agreed, squeezing his wife's hand. "Come on Grandma!" Bella called. "Here's the restaurant!" "I'm coming," Elinore smiled at her. The group spent a few hours having a nice dinner, then Harry took Billy back to the orphanage and he and Bella picked up Hermione's dinner. "Want to pick up some flowers for her, too?" Harry asked. "Mummy loves daisies," Bella answered. Harry grinned. "And how about you? What kind of flowers do you like, Miss Isabella?' Bella blushed. "Snapdragons." "Snapdragons it is," Harry said grinning at her. "You're going to get me flowers?" Bella asked in surprise. Harry smiled. "Of course. All princesses deserve flowers, don't they?" Bella blushed deeply. Harry tweaked her nose. "Right?" "Right," Bella said shyly. "Hello, sir," the woman behind the counter said. "What can I get you and your little girl?" "A bunch of those daisies there," Harry pointed. "Can you mix in a few red roses?" "They're for my mummy," Bella told the woman. "I see," the woman smiled. Harry picked Bella up so she could see the woman arrange the flowers. "What else can I get you?" the woman asked after she'd finished wrapping Hermione's bouquet. "Snapdragons," Harry said looking at Bella who shyly nodded. "You're in luck," the woman said. "I have one bunch left." Bella grinned. "Really?" "Do you want anything else?" Harry asked. Bella shook her head. "No, thank you." "Just the snapdragons then," Harry said, setting Bella down. "Thanks, Harry," Bella said looking up at him. "You and your mum both deserve a little something," Harry said. Bella put her arms around his middle and hugged him tightly. Her action made Harry realise what an absolute jerk Damian Conaghan was. This little girl was as sweet as could be and he didn't even know. Hermione was still sleeping when Harry and Bella entered her room. "Let's let her rest," Harry whispered. "We can set things up though," Bella whispered back. "Very quietly," he said, a finger to his lips. Bella nodded and tip-toed over to her mother's bedside. She laid the bouquet down on the table and helped Harry set up the tray with the dinner Tilly had made. Hermione started to stir. "Hmmmmm...." "Mummy," Bella said, hurrying to her bedside. Hermione smiled sleepily at her. "Baby." "Mummy we have your surprise," Bella whispered. Hermione struggled to sit up and Harry hurried over to help her. "Easy now..." "My head is spinning a bit," she said. "Can I get you anything?" Harry asked. "Some water," Hermione rubbed at her forehead. Harry reached for the pitcher on the table and poured her a glass. He handed it to her. "Thank you," her eyes fell on the tray. "What's all this?" Hermione asked. "Your surprise!" Bella chirped. "Tilly made your favourite dinner!" Hermione smiled. "She did?" "And we got you flowers," Bella said. "They're lovely," Hermione whispered looking at the bouquet. "Bella said they're your favourites," Harry told her. "They are," Hermione smiled. "Where---where are my parents?" "Back at their hotel," Harry replied. "They wanted to give you a little rest time, and I'll ring them if you want them to come back here." "Did you have fun with them this afternoon?" Hermione asked her daughter. Bella nodded. "Lots." Hermione smiled She was glad that her parents had hit it off with her daughter. "They like Billy too," Bella climbed into the bed with her. "I'm really glad he was able to come and see you," Hermione said kissing the top of her daughter's head. "I hope he doesn't go away with those people," Bella said. "I'd miss him too much." Hermione shared a look with Harry. Harry simply smiled back at her. "Better eat before that gets cold." "Right," Hermione said. "I hope the two of you are going to help me." "You eat first," Harry said. "We're both pretty full." Hermione laughed. "Okay, then." Harry sat down in the chair next to her bed. "How are you feeling?" "Better," Hermione told him. "Even your head?" he asked. "I'm still a little dizzy, but the doctor said this was normal," Hermione said before taking a bite of her food. "Mmmmm." "Eat up," Harry encouraged. "Your doctor said it's a good thing for you to have an appetite." "Yes, Dr. Potter," Hermione teased. Harry smiled. "Eat." "Harry bought me flowers, too," Bella told her. "He did?" Hermione asked. "Let me see!" Bella slid off the bed and grabbed her flowers from the window seat. "Aren't they pretty, Mummy?" "Beautiful," Hermione nodded. "Just like my girl." "I wish you could come back to Grandma's hotel with me," Bella said. "I miss you." "I won't be here long, sweetheart," Hermione said. "We'll get our own hotel room or something." "We're not going to leave here, are we?" Bella asked. "I like it here, Mummy." "I don't know, baby." Hermione replied. "I'm not sure what's going to happen yet." "Let's just enjoy the evening," Harry said to Bella. "And making sure your mummy gets all better." "Okay," Bella settled back against the pillow. Hermione finished her meal and even managed to eat two biscuits. Bella had fallen asleep leaning against her mother and Harry watched them. "That helps me feel a lot better," Hermione said softly. "Thank you so much." "You're welcome," Harry replied, his eyes locked on hers. "It's good of you to include her in these things," Hermione looked at her sleeping daughter. "It normally takes her a long time to bounce back from these..." "Hermione," Harry said gently. "This is the first time I've ever stood up to him, you know?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded wordlessly. "It's made me realise what I fool I've been," Hermione continued. "You tried to protect your daughter," Harry said. "I didn't try hard enough," Hermione answered. "The important thing now," Harry said reaching for her hand, "is getting back on your feet and building a new life for you and Bella." Hermione nodded. "It won't be easy." "I'll help any way that I can," Harry said. "And you'll have your mum and dad." Hermione nodded. "I'll probably take you up on that." Harry knew it was getting late and he busied himself by cleaning up the plates and things from their dinner. Hermione looked at him perceptively. "What's going on with Billy?" Harry shrugged. "He's doing okay. I mean, I stopped that fight this afternoon. And he was really happy to see Bella." "But what are you thinking?" Hermione asked. "You care about him." "Well, of course I do, Hermione," Harry said, not meeting her gaze. "Tell me the truth," she said. "It's late," Harry said. "I should get Bella back to your parents'..." "Don't run away," Hermione said. "I've done enough of that for both of us." Harry sat back down. "I care about him and he reminds me of myself at that age." Hermione nodded. "I can tell." "But adopting him..." Harry's voice trailed off. "What would be wrong with that?" Hermione asked gently. "That kid deserves better than me," Harry said looking at her. Hermione shook her head. "Harry... I don't think there's anyone better than you." Harry looked away. "When I came back after the battle," Harry said. "I, uh, I didn't recognise myself. Everyone wanted to celebrate and I just wanted to crawl into a hole and be by myself. The only person I wanted to talk about it with was you." "And I was gone," Hermione said quietly. "I'm not trying to dredge that back up," Harry reassured her. "We both made a lot of mistakes, Hermione. I just want you to know where I'm coming from. I deal with what I did everyday. I'm not so sure that's the ideal environment for me to raise a child in, do you?" "I think if you love that child you'll do anything in your power to keep them happy," Hermione sighed. "I guess I should have taken my own advice. "He had that contract over your head," Harry reminded her. "You knew that if he had full custody, she wouldn't be happy and so you sacrificed yourself." "I never once left her alone with him," Hermione said. "I always made sure if I couldn't be there, Tilly would be." "You're a good mother, Hermione," Harry said. He motioned to the sleeping Bella. "That little girl would do anything for you." Hermione smiled at her daughter. "I'll always keep her safe." "You can't change what's happened," Harry said. "But you can turn things around, Hermione." "I want to try," Hermione nodded. "Me too," Harry said smiling at her. "I want us to try together," Hermione said. "I know it's a lot to ask--" "I'd like that," Harry said leaning in. Hermione closed her eyes as his lips brushed against hers. She didn't want to move things along too fast between her and Harry, but she needed him. "I love you," Harry whispered. "I love you too," she confessed. Harry's eyes blinked open. He couldn't have heard her right, could he? "What?" "I might be saying it too soon," Hermione said. "But I do love you." Harry grinned. "You do?" She nodded. Harry gave her another kiss. He wondered if she knew how long he had waited to hear those words from her. "I just have to take things slow." Hermione said when they broke apart. "For my sake and for Bella's." "I understand," Harry said touching her cheek. "I know my parents want me to move back to London but I love it here," Hermione said. "My job is here and all Bella's friends are here too." "It's a beautiful place," Harry agreed. "It's one of those things I have to figure out," Hermione laid her head back on the pillows. "I haven't been in the same place for this long, either," Harry admitted. "I've been living out of a suitcase." "You should have a home," Hermione replied. Harry looked meaningfully at her. "I do." "Here?" she asked. "Home to me is where you are," Harry said. Hermione's eyes welled up with tears. Bella's eyes blinked open and she smiled when she saw Harry. "Hey you," Harry said. "Ready to get back to the hotel?" Bella nodded sleepily. "We'll be back first thing in the morning," Harry said. "I have one more day of homework for Bella from Mrs. Morando." Hermione gave her daughter a kiss. "You be good for your grandparents, baby." "I promise," Bella said. "I love you Mummy." "I love you too," Hermione said. "Thank you so much for tonight." Bella nodded happily. "Come on, Snapdragon," Harry said lifting Bella gingerly up into his arms. "I'll leave my flowers with yours, Mummy." Bella said. "They look pretty together." "They do," Hermione agreed. "Good night, my sweet girl." "I'll come by with her in the morning," Harry promised. "Breakfast... and I'm sure your parents will be back as well." Hermione nodded. "Thank you, Harry." "Anytime," Harry smiled at her and ducked out. Bella put her arms around his neck and closed her eyes. "You love my Mummy," she whispered. "I sure do," Harry said, shifting her a bit. "I do too," Bella said resting her head on his shoulder. "She's a good mum, isn't she?" Harry asked as they got on the lift. "The best," Bella replied. "Good," Harry said. "Things are only going to get better now." Bella had heard that so many times over the years, but for the first time, she actually believed it. Harry patted her back reassuringly. "When I pick you up tomorrow, we'll get some extra donuts from that bakery you like." "Can we get some for Billy too?" Bella asked. "You could bring them to him." "Absolutely," Harry replied. Bella hugged him again. "I love you, Harry." Harry kissed the side of her head. "I love you too Bella." the words came so naturally he didn't realise he'd even said them until after he had done so. Not too long ago, he had been living out of a suitcase, traveling from one location to another. Looking everywhere he could for his best friend and wondering what would happen if and when he found her. Just when he'd given up hope, he had found her and his life had changed forever. He could actually see himself settling down and building a life somewhere. More importantly, he could see himself settling down here. He knew he would have to be patient with Hermione and he knew that he couldn't rush things. Looking at the sleeping girl in his arms, though, made him realise it would be worth the wait. *** *** *** After another day in the hospital, Hermione was finally released. She had mixed feelings about going back home, but she was glad to be surrounded by her own things. "Mummy!" Bella said happily. "You're here!" "Hi, sweetheart," Hermione said bending slowly down to give her daughter a hug. She was still bruised and in a little pain. "Tilly made your favourite dinner," Bella chattered. "And Grandma says I can sleep with you tonight." Hermione smiled. "That sounds perfect." "Yay!" Bella ran ahead. "How are you doing?" Harry asked Hermione. "Still sore," she said, wincing. "You look beautiful," Harry said squeezing her hand. "Flatterer," Hermione said wryly. Harry laughed. "Come on, Granger." Hermione let him help her into the kitchen. "Welcome home, Madame," Tilly said respectfully. "Thank you, Tilly," Hermione said. "I wanted to thank you for looking after Bella that ...that night." "Of course," Tilly nodded. Harry and Elinore had cleaned up the house with the help of Tilly. All traces of Damian had been removed. "How about some tea?" Harry asked Hermione. Hermione nodded. "That would be lovely." "I will get it, Madame," Tilly said. Hermione sat down. She was still a little woozy from her pain medication. "How about something to eat?" Harry asked. "I'll make you a sandwich." Hermione shook her head. "I'm not really hungry." "Hermione!" Elinore said. "Welcome home, love." Hermione looked up to see her parents standing in the doorway. "Hi, Mum, Dad." "How are you, sweetheart?" Robert asked. "I'm okay, Dad," Hermione replied. "Glad to be out of hospital." "We cleaned up your bedroom," Elinore said. "Went out and bought you a new mattress and bed set." "Mum, you didn't have to do that," Hermione protested. "We wanted to," Elinore said. Tilly set a cup of tea in front of Hermione. "Here you are, Madame." "Thank you so much, Tilly," Hermione said. "Just the way I like it." Robert looked at Harry. "Mind if I have a word?" "Sure," Harry nodded. Robert and Harry stepped out of the kitchen and into the sitting room. "Damian made bail again," Robert told him quietly. "What?" Harry asked in disbelief. Robert nodded gravely. "The trial is in the next couple of days. I would think he wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that by coming anywhere near Hermione or Isabella." "I'll stay here just in case," Harry said. "I won't leave either of them alone." Robert nodded. "Elinore and I would certainly feel more comfortable with that." "I'll do anything I can to keep them safe," Harry told him. Bella had gone upstairs to her room for a moment but she hurried downstairs and smiled when she saw her grandfather and Harry. "Grandpa got me a goldfish, Harry." "He did?" Harry exclaimed. Bella nodded. "I named him Buckbeak." Harry laughed. "That is a perfect name, Bella." "Do you want to see him?" Bella asked him. "Of course I do," Harry picked her up. Harry carried her upstairs. "He has a really cool fish tank too," Bella told him. "Does he?" Harry asked. Bella nodded. "He's my first pet ever." "Really?" Harry asked. "I used to have an owl, named Hedwig." Bella looked at him. "An owl?" Harry nodded. "She was all white." "What happened to her?" Bella asked as Harry set her down. "She died of old age," Harry said. "Just a few years ago." "That's so sad," Bella said softly. "Did you cry?" "Yeah," Harry tugged on a lock of her hair. "I'll share my goldfish with you," Bella told him. Harry gave her a hug. "That's very sweet, but it's your pet.” "I want to share," Bella said. Harry wanted to promise her every pet she'd ever wanted to get, but knew it was much too soon to be making those type of promises. "Are you sure? I might want to take him to my hotel once in awhile." he teased. Bella bit her bottom lip. "Um, he might miss me..." "I'm just kidding," Harry said. "He's got to live here with his mistress." Bella giggled and waved at her mother who was watching them in the doorway. "Mummy, come here! You can meet Buckbeak too!" "Who's Buckbeak?" Hermione asked. "My goldfish," Bella said pointing to the small tank on her desk. "Grandpa got him for me. Isn't he pretty?" "He's lovely, darling." Hermione told her daughter. Bella beamed at her. "I love him already, Mummy." Hermione smoothed back her hair and smiled at her. "I bet you do. And I'm sure Buckbeak loves you as well." "I'm going to go and get a biscuit," Bella said. "Do you want one?" "Not too many," Hermione said. "You'll spoil your dinner." "Okay, Mummy," Bella promised. Once Hermione and Harry were alone, Harry put his arms around her and hugged her gently. Hermione buried her face in his chest. "What a day," she sighed. "I know," Harry said softly. He wondered if he should tell Hermione about Damian. "What is it?" Hermione asked, sensing his discomfort. "Nothing," Harry said quickly. "Something's wrong," she said perceptively. "It's nothing," Harry said forcing a smile. "Let's get you to your bedroom---" "I know you too well," Hermione said. "What is going on?" "Damian was released on bail," Harry said quietly. "What?" Hermione asked loudly. "Your father just told me a few minutes ago," Harry said, putting a hand on her arm to calm her. "Look, chances are, he's not going to come anywhere near you or Bella. It would jeopardise his case." "I'm not going to sleep tonight," she muttered. "What if he does try?" "If he does, I'll take care of it," Harry said firmly. "I can set wards on the house, too." "Promise to protect me?" she asked softly. "Of course," Harry said hugging her again. "He wants you; he'll have to come through me." "Thank you," Hermione said gratefully. "For everything." "You should know that I'd do anything for you by now," Harry said. "Everything's going to be fine." "I hope so," Hermione said. "And I'd like to keep Bella out of the courtroom. She's already terrified of Damian." "Did your attorney say she'd have to testify?" Harry asked. "She's not sure yet," Hermione said. "If Damian's attorney wants her there..." "Maybe it won't come to that," Harry said. "Besides, she'd be on your side. Anything she said would implicate him. I can't see any reason they would call her." "I hope not," Hermione said. "I want to protect her from all of this." Harry rested his forehead on hers. "She is just happy to have you home." "What about you?" she ventured. "What about me?" Harry asked. "Are you happy?" she asked softly. "I'm with you, aren't I?" Harry asked. "I feel safe with you here," Hermione said. "I'll stay here with you as long as you need me," Harry said. She nodded. "I don't know... after this is all over and I divorce Damian... how things will be. It may take me awhile--" Harry ran his hand up and down her arm in a comforting fashion. "You take as long as you need, Hermione. I'm not going anywhere." "Promise?" she asked. "You know what I was thinking might do you a world of good?" Harry asked her. "What?" Hermione asked. "After the trial, I was wondering if you might want to take a day trip with me." Harry asked. "To Hogwarts..." "I haven't been back there in so long..." Hermione said. "Ron and Luna would love to see you," Harry said. "I know you and Ron didn't exactly get off to a good start last time..." "Do you even think he'd want to see me?" she asked. "He loves you," Harry told her. "He was so worried when he found out what had happened." "He knows?" Hermione asked. "About everything Damian's done?" Hermione pulled away from Harry. "Hermione..." "What must they all think of me?" Hermione asked. "And what I did to myself?" "Hermione," Harry said coming up behind her and putting his arms around her. "He knows what kind of horrible position Damian and that stupid contract of his put you in." "But I was the smartest person in our class," Hermione sat down on the bed. "I should have seen right through him from the start." "You said he swept you off your feet," Harry said. "I was upset," Hermione said. "Because of what I did," Harry said. He sat down beside her. "I can't help thinking none of this would have happened if only I'd told you the truth that night or if I'd taken you with me." "Why didn't you?" Hermione asked. "The real reason." "Fear," Harry replied thoughtfully. "Fear of what?" she asked. "Fear that you'd reject me," Harry said after a moment. "Fear that you didn't feel the same way and that there'd be this awkwardness between us and I'd lose the best friend I ever had. Fear that I'd die and leave you behind. I didn't want that for you." "You never realised it did you?" Hermione asked. "Never realised what?" Harry countered. "That I was in love with you?" she asked, her eyes stinging as tears welled up. "What?" Harry asked. "I never thought you would see me that way," she said. "I was an idiot for not seeing it sooner," Harry said reaching for her. "You were the one person who stood by me no matter what.” Hermione nodded. "I always would have." "I loved you then," Harry said softly. "And I love you even more now." "Harry," she whimpered as her eyes welled up again. "How can you love me?" "How could I not?" Harry asked before leaning in and gently kissing her. Hermione closed her eyes and welcomed the gentle feel of his lips on hers. She knew she needed time to recover from everything, but she wouldn't ever get tired of this. "I love you," Harry whispered. "I love you too," she managed. They heard Bella coming up the stairs and reluctantly pulled away from each other. He squeezed her hand as Bella burst into the room. "Dinner's ready!" she announced. Hermione stood up. "I'm starving." "Grandpa says it's good if you're hungry," Bella recited. Hermione took her daughter's hand. "You know I think you're your grandfather's new favourite person." Bella giggled. "He's fun." Hermione was so happy that her parents were a part of her life again. It meant more to her than anything that her parents were supporting her and Bella during this tough time. Harry put his arm around her shoulders and gave a gentle squeeze. "All right?" "Getting there," Hermione replied smiling at him. "If you don't find it too intrusive, I thought I'd take the room adjoining to yours," Harry said. "I can be close that way in case... in case of anything." "I'd like that," Hermione said. "Good," Harry said, relieved she liked the idea. "We're going to have the best time," Bella chimed in. "The three of us." Harry reached and picked Bella up, making the young girl laugh. "The four of us," Harry corrected her. "You, me, your mummy and Buckbeak." "Right," Bella nodded. "I can't forget him! And Billy too!" "Billy," Harry said. He felt guilty for not checking on Billy today. With everything that had been going on, he hadn't been at the school these last couple of days. "Can he come over tomorrow?" Bella asked her mother. "After school," Hermione nodded. "If it's okay with Dr. McGraw." "Yay!" Bella said happily. "I bet he misses me. And I can't wait to show him Buckbeak!" "I hope you don't mind about the goldfish, Hermione," Robert said as they entered the dining room. "She mentioned that she'd never had a pet and I thought this would be small enough..." "It's fine, Dad." Hermione assured him. Bella grinned. "Thanks, Mummy." Hermione reached for her daughter and hugged her. "I love you so much, baby." "I love you too, Mummy," Bella said. "I'm really glad we're home." "Me too," Hermione nuzzled her daughter's soft cheek. "And Daddy will never hurt us again," Bella said. "Right, Mummy?" Hermione shook her head. "No more, sweetheart." Dinner was quite surreal for Hermione. She never thought that she'd be setting here with her daughter, the man she loved and her parents. She ate better than she thought- but after days of mostly sub par hospital food she was glad to put something that had taste into her stomach. Her parents stuck around for about an hour after dinner. "Hermione, what do you plan on doing after this trial is over?" Elinore asked. "I was thinking that Bella and I would stay here," Hermione said. "I love teaching at the school." "But don't you miss London?" Elinore pressed. "Mum, I do, but this is my home now," Hermione replied, putting an arm around her daughter. "Bella loves her school and she has so many friends here." "Like Billy," Bella nodded. "And what about you?" Robert asked Harry. "I'm not sure yet," Harry replied. "I suppose it depends on the outcome of the trial and what comes after." Bella looked at Harry. "You're not going to leave, are you?" "I hope not," Harry replied. "I don't want you to leave, ever," Bella said. Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back. "Why don’t' you go get yourself ready for bed?" Bella gave her grandparents a hug and kiss. "Good night, Grandma. Good night, Grandpa." "We'll see you tomorrow, love." Elinore said. Bella hurried upstairs. "I should go tuck her in," Hermione said. "Harry can see us out," Elinore told her. She stepped forward to give her daughter a hug. "I'm so glad you're home, sweetheart." Hermione hugged her mother back tightly. "I'm so glad you both are here." "Us, too," Elinore said. "You get some rest and don't worry. You're safe." Hermione nodded. "I know." Hermione gave her father a hug before she, too, went upstairs to check on Bella. "Harry," Robert put out his hand. "Thank you for everything you've done for Hermione." Harry shook his hand. "I love your daughter, Dr. Granger." "I'm glad," he nodded. "And Isabella?" Elinore asked. "She's as beautiful and sweet as Hermione," Harry answered. "I can't imagine her not being a part of my life now either." Elinore smiled. "We're trusting you with them, Harry." "I won't let you down," Harry promised. He saw the Grangers out and then went upstairs to check on Hermione and Bella. The little girl was going to sleep with Hermione tonight and Hermione was trying to choose a book to read for her bedtime story. "The fairy tales, Mummy." Bella said. "That's what Harry read to me." Hermione smiled. "Okay, let me just grab the book." She saw Harry in the doorway. "Come on in." Harry stepped inside. "You two look cosy." "Mummy's going to read to me from that book," Bella said happily. "We'll see if she can do the voices," Harry teased. Hermione shook her head. "I don't know about that." Harry chuckled. "I'm sure you'll do fine." He sat down in a chair while Hermione made herself comfortable next to her daughter. Hermione opened the book to Little Red Riding Hood and began to read. When she got to the part with the Big, Bad Wolf, Harry leaned forward to see how she'd do. Hermione glanced over at him and began to read in a somewhat gruff voice. "No, no." Harry shook his head. "That's not right, is it Bella?" "It's not THAT bad," Bella said loyally. Hermione smiled. "That's my girl." Harry cleared his throat and in a high pitched voice said. "Grandma, what big eyes you have." Bella giggled before Harry continued in a gruff voice. "All the better to see you with my dear." Hermione turned the book towards him. Harry grinned in triumph. "Come on, Granger. There are only a couple of things I'm better than you at. You can let me have ONE of them, right?" "Maybe just one," Hermione relented. Bella tugged on Harry's hand. "Read!" "Your wish is my command," Harry said. He finished Little Red Riding Hood, and read Rapunzel, Cinderella and Snow White before Bella finally fell asleep. "She fought falling asleep," Hermione whispered. "I'll say," he nodded. "Can I get you anything?" Hermione shook her head. "It's been a long day." "Yes it has," he agreed. "I'll see you to your room," Hermione offered. "Don't get up," Harry said. "I know where it is," "You don't need me to tuck you in?" Hermione asked teasingly. "Perhaps tomorrow night," he joked. Hermione gingerly got out of the bed and walked over to him. "Can I at least get a kiss good night?" "You don't even have to ask for that," he said softly, leaning in. Hermione looped her arms around his neck and gently pressed her lips to his. "I love you," Harry said when they broke apart. "And if you need me at any point tonight--" "I know where you are," Hermione said softly. "And I love you, too." "Sleep well," he said. "You warded the house, right?" Hermione asked him. He nodded. "No one can even step on the lawn and not set something off." Hermione smiled. "Thank you." Harry gave her one more kiss. "I'll see you both in the morning." "Good night, Harry," Hermione whispered. "Night," he said, touching her cheek before leaving the bedroom. Hermione watched him go and then closed the door behind him. She washed her face and got into bed next to her daughter. "Night, Mummy," Bella mumbled. "Night baby," Hermione whispered. "I love you so much." "I love you too," Bella said cuddling up beside her mother. Hermione closed her eyes and buried her face in Bella's hair. It wasn't too long before she fell asleep as well. Today had been very trying and being back here had drudged up so many memories. As soon as things were straightened out, she would find a new place for her and Bella to live. She knew that her parents would like nothing more for her than to return to London. Hermione didn't want to leave Johannesburg. She loved the city, her job and her friends. She also knew how important this city was to Bella. Despite Damian, they had made a life here. "I'll figure it out tomorrow," she said drowsily to herself. In a hotel room, a few miles away, Damian Conaghan was barking orders into his mobile phone. "I don't care, Michael. You're my attorney and you're going to find someway out of this! She's ruining my life!" "You wrote up that contract," Michael reminded him. "For some reason you thought it would be a good idea for that stipulation, not me!" "Find a loophole!" Damian shouted. "And I'm the wronged husband here! She's been carrying on with that Potter..." "She's been having an affair?" Michael asked. "Yeah," Damian replied angrily. "With this bloke she went to school with." "If you can prove this, we can claim infidelity." Michael said. "I can do more than prove it," Damian said. "That bastard is with her right now in MY house." Michael wrote a few things down. "We can use that in court- that she's been carrying on with him. We'll use your upstanding image in the community as well as your time overseas to show that you're a good doctor." "So you think I have a chance then?" Damian asked. "If we can prove this," Michael said. "I'll have to work to keep your arrest under wraps." "Do what you can, mate," Damian pleaded. "I will, but you have to stay away from her and the child," Michael warned him. "Promise me." "For now," Damian said. "You better dig up what you can on this Potter." "I'll see what I can find," Michael said. "Good night, Damian." Damian hung up the phone without saying anything. He would get his bitch of a wife and take her for everything she was worth. He could care less about custody of Isabella. He had never wanted a child. When he won the case, he'd ship her off to boarding school where he wouldn't have to worry about her. Then he would be free to do whatever he wanted, with WHOEVER he wanted to do it with. He would be damned if Hermione would make a fool out of him again. 19. Let Me Be Myself -------------------- **This is a courtroom chapter, but Damian gets a nice big surprise, well… a few times ;)** Let Me Be Myself - Three Doors Down **I guess i just got lost being someone else, I tried to kill the pain But nothing ever helped I left myself behind Somewhere along the way Hoping to come back around and find myself some day Lately I'm so tired of waiting for you To say that it's OK, tell me please Would you one time, Let Me Be Myself So I can shine, with my own light Let Me Be Myself** The day of Damian's trial had arrived, and Hermione headed to the courthouse with Harry after sending Bella to school. She was nervous, but her parents had told her they would be there if she wanted them, and Harry had promised not to leave her side. Harry squeezed her hand as they walked up the steps to the courthouse. "It's going to be fine, Hermione." She nodded. "I hope so." Harry knew there was no way they could lose. They had evidence on their side. Damian Conaghan was going to be put away for a very long time. "I just don't know what I would do if I lost Bella," Hermione said quietly. "That's never going to happen," Harry reassured her. "Be positive, right?" she managed a smile. "We've come full circle," Harry said. "You were the one who used to tell me that." "Right," Hermione took a deep breath. "Oi!" a voice called out from behind them. Hermione turned to see a familiar red-haired man and a blonde woman hurrying in their direction. "Ron?" "Sorry we're late," Ron said. "W-what are you doing here?" Hermione asked him. "Support," Ron said. "We've missed you and Luna and I wanted to be here for you." Hermione stared open-mouthed at him. "Ronald---Ronald Weasley..." Ron looked uncertainly at Luna. "Maybe this wasn't such---" "That is the sweetest thing you've ever done for me," Hermione interjected. "It is?" he asked. Hermione stepped forward and gave him a hug. "I'm so sorry." Ron patted her back. "Let's let bygones be bygones, eh? Or I could send some canaries after you..." Hermione laughed. "How about not ever bringing up those canaries ever again?" "Deal," Ron said. Hermione looked at the blonde beside Ron. "Luna." "Hello, Hermione." Luna said her blue eyes pensive. "It's nice to see you again. "I wish it was under better circumstances," Hermione said. Luna nodded. "But hopefully today will have a happy outcome." "Of course it will," Ron scoffed. "And then we'll go out for a celebration dinner or better yet, that cook of yours can make me---I mean us---something." Hermione had to smile. "Let's just get through this trial and we can go from there." Harry shook Ron's hand. "Glad you could make it, mate." "Thanks for letting us know," Ron told him. "It means the world to her and to me," Harry said. "Very much," Hermione said as they entered the courthouse. "How do you deal with this much sunlight?" Ron asked Hermione. "You'd think it would hurt your eyes." "I've gotten used to it," Hermione said. "I haven't been to London in ten years." "I know," Ron said without thinking. Hermione nodded silently. Luna nudged Ron in the ribs. "Sorry," he mumbled. Harry looked at the board that listed the courtrooms and the cases. "Looks like we're in Courtroom Four." "Okay," Hermione felt her palms grow sweaty and she wiped them on her skirt. "You look lovely," Luna told her. "Thank you," Hermione said, grateful for Luna's calming presence. They walked into the courtroom and Hermione froze when she saw Damian sitting at one of the tables with his attorney. Harry squeezed her hand. "It'll be okay. I'll be sitting right behind you the entire time." Hermione recognised Damian's attorney. It was the same one who had drafted that stupid contract. Damian turned around and gave her an arrogant grin. Straightening her back, Hermione pushed through the gate and sat down with her own attorney. Ron, Harry and Luna took their seats right behind her in the first row. Ron nudged Luna. "Kind of reminds me of Malfoy." "Shhh, Ronald." Luna said. "You shouldn't speak so loudly." "Sorry," Ron whispered back. Harry watched Hermione converse quietly with her attorney and glared over at Conaghan as the man sat back with a smug grin on his face. Robert and Elinore took their seats just as the judge entered the courtroom. "All rise," the bailiff began. "The case of Conaghan versus Conaghan," the bailiff continued. "Case 1-2-4-6-3. The honourable Warren Johnson presiding." Hermione sat down as soon as they were able, her knees trembling. Judge Johnson looked briefly over the case notes. "I understand that you are both seeking full custody of your one child, Isabella Conaghan?" "Yes Your Honour," Hermione's attorney, a dark skinned woman named Annie Dixon replied. "Yes, Your Honour," Michael Stevens, Damian's attorney replied. "And there is a pending criminal case against Dr. Conaghan on the charges of domestic assault, aggravated battery and attempted murder," the judge read from the case notes. "That's correct," Michael nodded again. "Today, Mr. Conaghan, you are not being tried on those offences," the judge said. "We are only concerned with your fitness as a parent to Isabella." "I assure you, your Honour, that I've never laid a finger on her in a wrongful way." Damian said with self assuredness. Hermione bit back an angry retort. It wouldn't do her any good to make a scene. Too much was riding on this. "Miss Dixon," the judge said. "You can make your opening remarks..." "Yes your Honour," Annie said, getting up. "My client, Hermione Granger Conaghan met Dr. Damian Conaghan when she was just a child," Annie began. "Their parents were friends and of course, they hoped that one day love would blossom between their two children. Years later, it did. Hermione was swept off her feet by the charming medical student who promised her the world and that he would love and protect her. But, shortly after they were married, he changed. He became increasingly violent and his behaviour became erratic..." Hermione bit her lower lip as Annie quickly went through the past ten years of her life. "On the night of November Second, Dr. Conaghan arrived home unexpectedly from his trip abroad," Annie continued. "He was clearly intoxicated and upset. He struck Mrs. Conaghan in front of their daughter. In fear for her daughter's safety, Mrs. Conaghan asked her daughter to go upstairs. Dr. Conaghan repeatedly beat and struck his wife to within an inch of her life. She thought she was going to die. Does this sound like a caring doctor, husband, or father? I don't think so." "Through witnesses and police reports, I will show that Hermione Conaghan is the more fit parent." Annie said, sitting back down. The judge nodded. "Thank you, Miss Dixon. Mr. Stevens, your opening remarks..." "Thank you, your Honour," Michael said, standing up. "Mrs. Conaghan would have you believe that she is the wronged party here. But, that is truly not the case. Damian Conaghan loves his wife and daughter and wanted nothing more than for them to be a happy family. They built a happy life here and Damian Conaghan is a respected member of the community." "He has spent long hours at the hospital, away from them, to provide them with every comfort and necessity they need," Michael continued. "And he's been repaid by false accusations and infidelity." Damian chanced a look at Hermione. She could feel his eyes on her, but she wasn't going to look at him. "The guilty culprit here was Mrs. Conaghan," Michael continued. "She has always felt threatened by her husband's success and continually tried to hold him back. She was against his going to Baltimore to work at a prestigious hospital. She was against a possible move that would benefit their family. And the real reason for that is sitting right behind her..." "Objection!" Annie rose from her seat. "Sustained," the judge said. "Continue, Mr. Stevens." Michael was frustrated that he couldn't use this card, but tried not to show it. Ron opened his mouth to whisper something to Harry, but Luna nudged him again in the ribs. "Ronald," she said softly. "Just stay quiet." "The fault lies solely with Mrs. Conaghan," Michael continued. "She is the reason this marriage has fallen apart and she is the reason we are here today arguing custody. Dr. Conaghan loves his daughter and will do anything in his power to keep her safe." Michael sat back down. "I told you it was too soon to bring in infidelity," he muttered to Damian. "You did fine," Damian said. "The judge knows that something's going on." Michael nodded. "We're going to have to do a lot to discredit her." Annie called Hermione to the stand. Hermione took a deep breath as she stood up and took the witness stand. Once she was sworn in, Annie smiled reassuringly at Hermione. "Mrs. Conaghan, could you please tell the judge about your occupation?" Annie asked her. "I'm a teacher at Dr. McGraw's orphanage and school," Hermione answered. Annie asked her some basic questions about how long she had worked there and about how she generally liked her job. "And your daughter, Isabella, is a student there as well?" Annie asked. Hermione nodded. "She loves it there. Her best friends go to school and live there." Annie handed a sheet of paper to the judge. "You'll see, your Honour, that Isabella has top marks in her class." The judge nodded. "Very good." "Mrs. Conaghan," Annie said. "Can you tell the court how you felt when you found out you were pregnant?" "I was thrilled," Hermione said softly. "And your husband, how did he react?" Annie asked. "He... didn't seem so happy," Hermione said carefully. "At the time, I assumed it was due to his heavy workload." "He wasn't around much for you during the pregnancy?" Annie asked. Hermione shook her head. "No." "You were living in Paris at this time, were you not?" Annie asked. "Yes." "That was where things first soured between you and your husband?" Annie asked. "Yes." "It was in Paris that he first assaulted you?" Annie asked. "Yes," Hermione bit her lower lip. "The first time it happened, it was not long after we married- but it didn't happen again for so long that I nearly forgot about it." "He assaulted you after he found out you'd had lunch with a colleague?" Annie asked. "Yes," Hermione recalled the incident. Under the table, Damian clenched his fist. "It was all I could do to keep myself together," Hermione said, her voice trembling. "The next day, he came home and it was as if nothing happened. "And did he strike you while you were pregnant?" Annie asked. Hermione nodded. "It was after my first ultrasound. The doctor told us it was going to be a girl and I was thrilled that my baby was healthy and progressing like she should. But, he was outraged. He said he had never wanted a baby, but he would have been able to accept it if I'd given him a son, but that I couldn't even do that right." "Objection," Michael interjected. "On what grounds?" the judge asked. "Hearsay," Michael replied. "Sustained," the judge nodded. "What did your husband do when he found out you were having a daughter?" Annie said trying to rephrase the question. "He struck me," Hermione said. "On the face- on my head. I kept my arms wrapped around my stomach so he couldn't do anything to the baby." Ron glared at Damian and Luna had to hold his arm to keep him from getting up. "He left and didn't return for three days after that," Hermione said. "Did things improve after the birth of your daughter?" Annie asked. "Not really," Hermione said. "How was your husband as a father?" Annie asked. "He's never been affectionate with Bella." Hermione said honestly. "He rarely interacts with her. He's always talked about when she's old enough; he wants to send her to boarding school." "And has your husband ever struck Isabella?" Annie asked. "No," Hermione said. "I would never allow that to happen." Annie asked some more questions, before she moved on to the night Damian had nearly killed her. Hermione choked up. "He'd been sacked from his job over in the States.... and Bella and I were late coming home. We didn't expect him to be back yet." "What happened that night, Mrs. Conaghan?" Annie asked gently. "He'd been drinking," Hermione said in a strained voice. "And when we came home, he just started hitting me and wouldn't stop." "And Isabella, where was she during this?" Annie asked. "I told her to run upstairs," Hermione said. "I told her to get away." "You put your daughter's safety above your own?" Annie asked. "I always would," Hermione said. "It's never a question in my mind." "No further questions," Annie said to the judge. Hermione wiped at her eyes and looked at Harry. "We'll take a short recess and Mr. Stevens you can begin your cross-examination," the judge said. Hermione was thankful for the chance to collect herself. She excused herself to go use the loo. Harry stood up to follow her, but Hermione waved him off. "I'm okay...I just need a moment." "Are you sure?" Harry asked. Hermione nodded and hurried out of the courtroom. Once inside, she splashed some water on her face. "Get it together," she told herself. It was hard enough dredging up those old memories with Annie asking the questions, but Hermione knew Michael Stevens would rake her over the coals. "Just be honest," Hermione patted at her face with a paper towel. Behind her, she heard the door open. Hermione paled when she saw the face behind her in the mirror. "Damian..." Damian locked the door behind him. "Hello, dear." "There's a restraining order against you," Hermione said turning around. "You're not supposed to come near me." "No one knows I'm in here," Damian smiled coldly. Hermione moved to get past him, but he grabbed hold of her arm. "Let me go!" Damian shoved her against the wall. "Call this trial off, Hermione. Or you WILL regret it." Hermione winced. Her body was still healing from the last time he'd attacked her. "Let me go, Damian." "Then do what I tell you," Damian said, his eyes narrowing. "Or this time they won't be able to find you." Hermione closed her eyes. She saw the faces of Harry, Bella, and her parents. "No, I will NOT call off this trial," Hermione said, opening her eyes and glaring at her husband. Damian's grip on her arm tightened. Hermione felt all the anger in her rise up and the lights in the room suddenly flickered. "What the hell?" Damian asked. "You STAY away from me," Hermione said angrily. "From now on!" "Did you do that?" Damian asked her. "Yes," she retorted. "I thought you had to have one of those wands," Damian asked, his grip loosening a bit on her. Hermione summoned all her anger again. "I said STAY away from me!" All three of the mirrors above the sink cracked. This time, it was Damian that paled. "If you think you can EVER touch me again, you're sadly mistaken," Hermione's eyes blazed. "And if you think you're going to win this trial..." Damian was speechless. He backed away from her and fumbled with the lock on the door. "Get out," Hermione stepped towards him. Damian finally managed to unlock the door and he practically ran from the room. For the first time in what seemed like forever, Hermione felt that she had the power over him. She felt better about herself than she had in more than ten years. Her spine a bit straighter, she headed back into the courtroom. Harry stood up when he saw her. "Hermione?" She smiled at him. "Are you okay?" Harry asked reaching for her hand. "Fine," she said. "For once... I'm fine." "You did great up there," Harry said wanting to hug her, but not wanting to give Damian's lawyer any extra ammunition. "Thank you," Hermione said. "Now I just have to get through his questions," she looked over at Michael. "You'll be grand," Luna said linking her arm in Ron's. "You know, your soon to be ex-husband has a very dark aura." "A what?" Hermione asked. "A dark aura about him," Luna said. "I kept reading a disturbing energy from him." "That wouldn't surprise me," Hermione said. The judge re-entered the courtroom and the bailiff asked everyone to rise. Damian, however, was nowhere to be found. "Be seated," the judge said banging his gavel. "Mr. Stephens, where is your client?" "I... don't know Your Honour," Michael stammered. "He just stepped out for a moment..." "I'll give you one minute to find him," the judge said impatiently. "Thank you," Michael hurried out of the room. Annie looked at Hermione. "What does this mean?" Hermione asked her lawyer. "It means your husband is pissing the judge off," Annie whispered back. "Not a good sign." Hermione felt encouraged by this. The judge sighed and tapped his fingers impatiently. Hermione shared a hopeful glance with Harry. Had she managed to frighten Damian off? He'd always been terrified of her magic and he had forced her to give it up. Michael hurried back into the courtroom. "Your Honour, my client was in the restroom. He will be here in just a minute. He's not feeling well." The judge looked extremely displeased but nodded. Two minutes later, Damian arrived in the courtroom looking as if he'd seen a ghost. He glared at his wife before sitting down beside his attorney. "Are you ready, Mr. Conaghan?" the judge asked. "I do not appreciate being kept waiting." Damian nodded. "Yes, sir. I--I apologise." "Be seated," the judge said. "And let's get started again." "Mrs. Conaghan, please take the stand again," the bailiff said. Hermione took her seat back on the witness stand. "Mrs. Conaghan," Michael said. "Good morning." Hermione smiled tightly. "Good morning." "Did you ever tell anyone about these alleged beatings?" Michael asked her. "A friend? A colleague? Your parents?" "My housekeeper knows," Hermione said. "And now my parents know. As does Harry." "I beg your pardon, Mrs. Conaghan," Michael said. "But, who is Harry?" "My best friend," Hermione answered. "Sitting right behind me, as you pointed out earlier." "Would this be the same man who has stayed at your house every night this week?" Michael asked. Annie stood up. "Objection! Irrelevant!" "Sustained," the judge replied. Michael wasn't about to be deterred. "Would this be the same man who arrived at your home the night of your supposed attack?" "He came to help," Hermione answered evenly. "I'm sure he did," Michael said sarcastically. "He arrived in Johannesburg three months ago, did he?" "Around that time," Hermione replied. "He's an old friend of yours, is he?" Michael asked. "We were friends, yes." Hermione said. "Just like I was with Damian before I left for boarding school." "Was your relationship platonic?" Michael asked. "Yes," Hermione said truthfully. It had been at the time. "And you didn't hear from him again until he arrived in Johannesburg under the guise of helping out with the orphanage?" Michael asked. Annie stood up. "Objection, your Honour. Relevance?" "Sustained," the judge said. "I'll ask you to stay on topic, Mr. Stevens." "Of course," Michael said approaching the witness stand. "Mrs. Conaghan, did you tell your husband about the arrival of your old friend?" "Yes," Hermione answered. "At dinner the night he arrived." "You didn't tell him the truth about your relationship with Mr. Potter though, did you?" Michael asked. "What truth are you aiming for?" Hermione asked him. "You're insinuating something that isn't true." "Mrs. Conaghan," the judge warned. Hermione glared at Michael Stevens. "Harry and I are not together," she spoke truthfully. "So you've said," Michael said sarcastically. "I wonder why he's spent the night at your house every night this week, then." "Objection!" Annie exclaimed, getting out of her seat. "He's been staying over to make sure Damian doesn't come back to kill me!" Hermione snapped angrily. "Move to strike," Michael said looking at the judge. The judge nodded. "Mrs. Conaghan, the court will not tolerate your outbursts. Please answer the questions as presented." "Yes your Honour," Hermione said quietly. Michael walked back over to the table and pulled a piece of paper from a folder. He handed it to Hermione. "Do you recognise this document?" Hermione nodded. "It's the prenuptial agreement that Damian and I signed before we were married." "You signed it without question, did you not?" Michael asked. "Yes, but---" Hermione started to answer. "And you know that if you were to move to divorce you'd give up all assets and rights to your daughter?" Michael pressed. "I didn't know it at the time," Hermione replied. "You mean you sign things without reading them?" Michael asked. "Highly irresponsible, I'd say." Michael smiled with false sympathy at Hermione. "No further questions, Mrs. Conaghan." The judge looked at Annie. "Redirect, Mrs. Dixon?" "Just a moment, your Honour," Annie replied. Hermione took a sip of water. Harry watched as Annie wrote some questions down and stood up again. "Mrs. Conaghan, you signed that prenuptial agreement on good faith did you not?" Annie asked. "You had no reason to think your husband-to-be would include such clauses, did you?' Hermione shook her head. "I didn't know." "And you found out about this clause right after your husband was arrested in France for assaulting you?" Annie asked. "Yes," Hermione answered. "He used that as leverage to get you to drop the charges didn't he?" Annie asked. "Yes," Hermione admitted. "And you did drop those charges, didn't you?" Annie asked. "I did," Hermione nodded. "Dr. Conaghan would use that contract to bend you to his wishes many times over the course of your marriage, didn't he?" Annie asked. "He used it several times," Hermione said. "Each time... I thought it would be the last. I don't know why." "And that is the reason you didn't go to the police and you didn't tell anyone about what he did to you behind closed doors?" Annie asked. "Yes," Hermione whispered. "No further questions," Annie said. "You may step down," the judge told her. Hermione nodded. She caught her mother's eye. Elinore smiled encouragingly at her. Annie looked at the judge. "I'd like to call Harry Potter to the stand." Harry was surprised. He wasn't expecting this. Harry stood up and walked to the witness stand. "Mr. Potter, could you please tell the court your occupation?" Annie asked. "I counsel orphans," Harry said. "I also fund struggling orphanages." "You worked closely with Mrs. Conaghan at the orphanage?" Annie asked. "Here and there, yes." Harry nodded. "You hadn't seen Mrs. Conaghan in over 10 years, correct?" Annie asked. "Yes," Harry replied. "What made you come to this particular orphanage?" Annie asked. "Another friend of ours arranges this for me," Harry said. "He sent me here." "But, you had no idea that Mrs. Conaghan was going to be here, did you?" Annie asked. "Not until I walked into her classroom," Harry said truthfully. "And Mrs. Conaghan wasn't happy to see you, was she?" Annie asked. "Not at first," Harry said. "We had a bit of a falling out ten years ago. But we worked back on becoming friends again." "And did Mrs. Conaghan tell you anything about her marriage?" Annie asked. "Not at first," Harry said. "I had my suspicions that something was wrong, but never brought it up." "And the child, Isabella, did she ever tell you anything about what was happening at home?" Annie asked. "She admitted it to me and her friend Billy," Harry answered. "It was one morning after he'd beaten her." he glared at Damian. "Objection," Michael said, standing up. "Hearsay." "Sustained," the judge replied. "What did Isabella tell you about her father?" Annie asked. "She did tell me that he'd hit Hermione," Harry said. "I went to see her and she was holed up in the house with bruises." "But, she didn't tell you about the contract?" Annie asked. "No, she didn't," Harry replied. "When did you find out about it?" Annie asked. "Right after she was attacked the last time," Harry replied. "Her mother found the contract in her home and I forwarded it to my colleague, Neville Longbottom. He was the one who discovered the clause that would void the contract." "And what is that clause?" Annie asked. "The clause that states the contract to be null and void if either party in the marriage were convicted of a crime," Harry replied. Annie smiled. "No further questions." Michael conferred with Damian before he stood up. "Mr. Potter, your usual assignments do not last more than a couple of weeks, but you've been here in Johannesburg for three months, right?" "Correct," Harry answered. "Why would you stay longer here?" Michael asked. "Most of your work could have been conducted in London, right?" "It could have been," Harry said. "But I chose to stay local." "Mrs. Conaghan has to have something to do with that," Michael commented. Harry shrugged. "I was helping out a friend in need." "I just bet you were," Michael said with a chuckle. "Mr. Stevens," the judge warned. Harry remained silent and looked at the other man. "How long were you and Mrs. Conaghan carrying on behind my client's back?" Michael asked him point-blank. "Objection!" Annie stood up, her features angry. Michael approached the witness stand and levelled his gaze at Harry. "The truth is you seduced Mrs. Conaghan and the two of you came up with this scheme to discredit Dr. Conaghan, isn't that true?" "Absolutely not," Harry remained calm and stared right back at him. "Mr. Stevens," the judge warned. "No further questions," Michael said with a smirk at Harry. "I'd like to strike the last two questions," Annie said. "Motion granted," the judge said. "Thank you," Annie sat back down. Annie called a couple of Hermione's colleagues at the school who testified that Hermione was a caring, loving parent who would do anything for her daughter. Hermione felt better as the case progressed. Surely things were looking to her favour as opposed to Damian's. "We'll break for lunch," the judge said. "Mr. Stevens you can present your case at that time." Hermione sighed. "How much longer do you think this will take?" "I can't imagine he'll call that many people to the stand," Annie said. Hermione nodded. "I want to call and see how Bella's doing." Ron and Luna walked out of the courtroom with Hermione. They were going to grab lunch for the four of them. Harry wanted to talk to Annie. "You kind of took me by surprise," Harry told her. "I did?" she asked. "How so?" "I didn't think you would be calling me to the stand," Harry admitted. "I was kind of going for that," Annie confessed. "I do that because then no one has time to come up with a story." "Do you think I helped or hurt her case?" Harry asked. "I wouldn't have called you up if I thought there was any chance of you damaging it." Annie replied. "There's something I think you should know," Harry said to her. He waited until Michael and Damian had left the courtroom. He told Hermione's attorney about how he'd contacted his friend Cho Chang to set something up at Johns Hopkins to get Damian away from Hermione. "He doesn't know I was behind it and I'd prefer it was kept that way, but according to Cho, he had quite the roving eye. He was dismissed for sexual harassment." Annie nodded pensively. "I'll see what I can do with this information." "She's in Johannesburg as it happens," Harry told her. It was a lie, but he could have Cho there within the hour. "If you'd like to call her to the stand..." "A surprise witness," Annie nodded. "That would be good. I'll have to talk to her beforehand, of course--" "Of course," Harry said. "I'll ring her now..." He would probably owe Cho another life favour to get her out here, but he hoped her grudge against Damian Conaghan would be enough drive. Harry found Hermione in the corridor. "How's Bella?" "She's fine," Hermione said. "She's worried that she'll have to come and face Damian." "I don't think it will come to that," Harry said squeezing her hand. "Did I tell you yet how proud I was of you? You were so brave." "Thanks," Hermione said. She told Harry what had happened in the loo. Harry clenched his fists. "What?" "I don't know what happened," Hermione said. "I was so angry- I thought of Bella, and of you and my parents, and how much faith you four have in me... and suddenly the lights were flickering." "Is that why he didn't come back to the courtroom?" Harry asked. "Probably," Hermione said. "When he found out about magic, he was terrified. It wasn't long after that..." "What?" Harry asked gently. "The beatings started," Hermione said. "I thought if I gave up magic, he'd stop." "Come here," Harry said leading her to an empty hallway. When they were alone, he put his arms around her. Hermione sighed. "I just want this to be over, Harry." "It will be," Harry said. "There's something...there's something I have to go and do, but I think it's going to be the key to winning this case, Hermione." "What is it?" she asked. "You'll see," Harry said pecking her on the cheek. Hermione watched him go and hoped he was right. At Johns Hopkins, Cho Chang was looking forward to finally going home and taking a nice, long bath. She'd just pulled a double shift. She was just getting her things together when she heard her mobile ring. She pulled it out of her pocket and sighed when she saw the name on the screen. She thought about ignoring the call, but she knew how relentless he could be. "What is it, Harry?" she asked in greeting. "Cho, I need to see you straightaway," Harry said. "Why?" she asked. "I just want to go home and relax- I just got done with a double--" "I'm in the lobby," Harry cut her off. "And I don't have much time." "Here?" Cho asked incredulously. "Here," Harry said. "Please...Cho." Cho sighed. "I'll be right down." She found him pacing in the lobby looking very much the same as he had the last time she'd seen him. "This had better be good. I'm knackered." "I need you to come to Johannesburg with me," he said. "Just for today. Damian's on trial for almost killing Hermione." "What?" Cho asked taken aback. "Is she okay?" "She's all right," Harry nodded. "But we're trying to put him away. You can help us." "What could I possibly do?" Cho asked. "Tell them about what he did here," Harry answered. "I don’t' know," Cho replied doubtfully. "Please," Harry said. "You could clinch this. Send him away. Hermione could lose custody of her daughter unless we prove he was cheating on her." Cho had never cared much for Hermione Granger, but she would never have wished a bastard like Damian Conaghan on her. "Okay," she finally replied. Harry hugged her. "Thank you," he said gratefully. Cho patted him awkwardly on his back. "I--I just need a second to text my boyfriend to let him know where I'll be." "Sure," Harry nodded. "I'll be right back," Cho told him. Harry sat down and looked around. It was a nice hospital. He was surprised that Cho Chang had chosen to pursue a career in medical issues- and at a Muggle hospital, no less. Cho came back a couple of minutes later. She held out a file to him. "This is the incident report that a couple of nurses filed against Damian." Harry stared at it. "This is huge!" "I told you he was a busy man while he was here," Cho told him. "I'll say," Harry shook his head. "Thank you Cho." "I'm not the cold-hearted bitch you think I am," Cho said with a shrug. "I never said you were," Harry replied. "Your friend Ron Weasley did," Cho said. "Not to mention his little sister..." "Well... Ginny said and did a lot of things that weren't very nice." Harry shook his head. "I really appreciate all you have done for me, and Hermione." "Well, let's get this over with," Cho said, a little uncomfortable with his gratitude. "I'll Apparate us there," Harry told her. Cho nodded. "There's an empty room just to the left there..." "Great," Harry said. Back in Johannesburg, Luna, Ron, and Hermione were just finishing up their lunch. Hermione had only managed to eat half of her sandwich. Ron eagerly asked to finish it for her. "Here," Hermione pushed it to him. "I'm too nervous to eat." "I've never had that problem," Ron said with a grin. "I'm always able to eat." Hermione sighed. "I wish Harry would get back. He said he's got something that could win this case for me." "He'll be back soon," Luna reassured her. "I know." Hermione said "So tell me about your little rug rat," Ron said after he'd finished off Hermione's sandwich. "She magical?" "I don't know yet," Hermione said. "Possibly..." "She a bookworm, too?" Ron asked. Hermione smiled. "Of course." Ron grinned. "I happen to like bossy know-it-all bookworms, you know." "I know," Hermione said. "It's been awhile, Ron. Too long." "Well, now I know the reason why," Ron said. "It kind of makes sense now." "Part of me wishes I'd never left that night," Hermione said quietly. "But... that would mean that I regret having Bella. And I don't." "We've all made mistakes," Ron said. "And we can't change any of that. We can start again though." Hermione nodded. "Thankfully." Harry had dropped Cho off at Annie's office so she could read over the file and brief Cho on what was going to happen. He was out of breath by the time he found his friends in the courtroom cafeteria. "Only you would think to go for a run at a time like this," Ron joked. "Not quite for a run," Harry sat down. "For some help." "Do we get a hint as to what kind of help this is?" Hermione asked. Harry shook his head. "Probably best if I don't get into details. Annie's taking care of what I can't do." "Are you hungry?" Luna asked. "I can get you a sandwich, Harry." "I'm fine," Harry shook his head. "Thanks." "How about you and I go and get dessert then?" Ron asked Luna. "This Muggle food isn't that bad." "Sure," Luna said, reaching for his hand. "He's like a kid in a candy store," Harry said taking a seat beside Hermione. Hermione nodded. "Good to know some things don’t' change." "How are you?" Harry asked. "Okay," Hermione answered. "You're nervous," Harry said, reaching for her hand underneath the table. "But, you don't have to be. He's not going to win." "He can't," Hermione said. "I can't lose her Harry. I can't lose Bella. It would kill me." "You're not going to lose her," Harry said confidently. "She's going to be with you forever." Hermione nodded. "Promise?" "Promise," Harry said grinning at her. Hermione wanted him to hold her, and reassure her further but the results of them being seen that way could only prove disastrous. "Look," Harry said. "On the off chance that something happens and this doesn't go our way...we can take her and run..." Hermione shook her head. "I could never ask her to live that way. You either." "I would do anything to keep you and her away from him," Harry said. "Anything." "Thank you," she said softly. "I love you," Harry said. "I love you too," Hermione almost whispered. Ron came back to the table with Luna walking behind him, carrying a tray full of desserts. "Ron!" Harry exclaimed. "We don't have that much time!" Ron shrugged. "I can finish this off in five minutes." "He can," Luna said dreamily. "I've seen him do it." "I could tell you what I tell my students," Hermione said. "You need to enjoy your food and not wolf it down." Ron shoved an entire piece of cake in his mouth. "The faster I eat the more I can eat." Hermione rolled her eyes. "You haven't changed one bit." Ron grinned at her. "Luna, how do you put up with this?" Harry asked shaking his head. Luna only smiled. "I love to watch him eat." Ron grinned and held out a forkful of pie to Luna. She smiled and took a bite. "Thank you, Ronald." Hermione had to smile. It felt good to be around people who genuinely cared about her like this. "He's so sweet, isn't he?" Luna asked. "I knew it was love when he offered to share his food. He never shares his food with anyone." "That's true," Harry admitted. "Must be love." Ron finished off two pieces of pie, a bowl of rice pudding, and another piece of chocolate cake. He patted his stomach afterwards. "That should tide me over." "Until what, next century?" Harry asked. "At least until dinner," Ron said tossing a crumpled up napkin at his best friend. Harry shook his head. "We need to get back to the courtroom." "Right," Hermione said, standing up. Harry put a hand on her shoulder. "It'll be okay." Hermione nodded, wanting to believe him more than anything. Ron stuffed some biscuits in his pocket and he and Luna followed Harry and Hermione out. Annie was waiting for them in the courtroom. "What's going on?" Hermione asked her lawyer. "I have an unexpected witness," Annie told her. "I have to ask the judge if I can call one more witness before turning the case over to opposing counsel." "Who is it?" Hermione asked. Annie didn't get to answer as the bailiff called the courtroom to order and asked everyone to rise as the judge entered the courtroom. Hermione cast one more look at Harry before taking her seat next to Annie. "Mr. Stevens," the judge said. "Are you ready to---" Annie stood up. "Your honour, I have another witness. " "Your Honour, this wasn't cleared with me," Michael said. "Approach the bench," the judge said to the two attorneys. Both of them walked quickly over to the judge, while Hermione and Damian looked on trying to hear what they were saying. "It was recently brought to my attention that someone who can attest to Damian Conaghan's actions while in America is here," Annie handed them both a list of questions she had compiled. "I've never even heard of this woman," Michael said dismissively. The judge looked thoughtfully at the papers. "I'll allow it." "Thank you, your Honour," Annie said. "I'll need to have time to come up with my own questions," Michael said. "How much time will you need?" the judge asked. "Twenty minutes?" Michael asked. "Fine," the judge replied. "Thank you," Michael nodded and went to sit back down. Hermione watched as the judge announced a brief recess. She looked at Annie. "What's going on?" "Mr. Stevens has to compile his own list for the witness," Annie replied. Hermione chanced a look over at Damian. He was deep in conversation with his attorney and had a worried look on his face. "This has to be a good thing," she whispered. "Who is it?" "Dr. Cho Chang," Annie told her. Hermione gaped at her. "Cho CHANG?" "Yes," Annie said looking up from her notepad. "Do you know her?" "We used to go to boarding school together." Hermione said. "She... used to go out with Harry. We weren't really friends." "I think we'll leave out that small detail," Annie whispered. "Damian doesn't know that you knew her previously. At least that's what Dr. Chang told me." "She said that?" Hermione asked. Annie nodded. "I think it's best that we keep that part of this secret." Hermione nodded. Hermione turned around and looked at Harry. He had also noticed Damian's expression. The next few minutes passed by agonizingly slow for Hermione. She had no idea that Cho Chang had known Damian. What she couldn't understand was how Harry had set this up. How had he known about Cho? She finally remembered to breathe when she saw Michael and Damian sit back, neither one looking very happy. The judge came back into the room and asked Annie to call her final witness. "I call Dr. Cho Chang to the stand," Annie said. 20. Policy of Truth ------------------- **Long, long chapter you guys. But next week wraps this story up!** **Policy of Truth – Depeche Mode** **You had something to hide Should have hidden it, shouldn't you Now you're not satisfied With what you're being put through It's just time to** **pay the price**** For not listening to advice And deciding in your youth On the policy of truth** Cho stood up from the back of the room and walked to the front. She levelled an icy gaze at Damian. Hermione looked at the woman she'd been so jealous of all those years ago. Cho was still as stunningly beautiful as she'd been back then. Cho was sworn in and she sat down calmly in the witness stand. "Dr. Chang," Annie said approaching her. "Thank you for joining us on such short notice. Can you please tell the court where you are currently employed. "Johns Hopkins Memorial Hospital in Baltimore," Cho answered. "And how did you come to know Dr. Damian Conaghan?" Annie asked. "He was brought to work on a case of St. Louis Encephalitis," Cho said. "We'd heard he was a specialist." "And you were assigned to show him around the hospital were you not?" Annie asked her. "Yes I was," Cho nodded. "What were your first impressions of Damian Conaghan?" Annie asked. "Very unprofessional," Cho answered. "He seemed more interested in my evening plans than the case we brought him there for." "Are you saying he propositioned you?" Annie asked. "Not just me," Cho said. "Nearly every nurse at the hospital." "Did you report your concerns to anyone?" Annie asked. "My superior," Cho nodded. "And what happened?" Annie asked. "The chief of staff said he would talk to Dr. Conaghan," Cho replied. "But, it did not do any good." "What happened next?" Annie coaxed. "I caught him in the on-call room with one of the student nurses," Cho replied. Hermione bit her lower lip as Cho told of all the infidelities her husband had committed. Despite everything he had done to her, it still hurt to hear how easy it was for him to cheat on her. "In the short time that Damian Conaghan consulted at Johns Hopkins, there were 10 complaints filed against him with the chief-of-staff," Annie said producing the thick folder that Cho had given her. She handed it to the judge. Michael stood up. "I reserve the right to look through that evidence." "Of course," Annie said sweetly. "We have nothing to hide." She'd had her clerks make a copy of the file during the lunch hour and she handed that to him. "Your witness," Annie said to Michael. Michael stood up. It was obvious Cho's testimony had shaken him. "Dr. Chang," Michael said. "You've been at Johns' Hopkins for two years now, correct?" "Yes,” Cho replied. "I'm a second-year resident." "And have you always kept focused on your tasks at hand?" Michael asked, hoping to discredit her. "I had top marks in my undergraduate studies at the University of Maryland," Cho replied. "I graduated top of my class in medical school. What do you think?" "According to my client, you were receptive of his advances," Michael said. "I have a boyfriend," Cho told him icily. "A boyfriend that I love very much. The only response I had to Dr. Conaghan's advances was repulsion." "He said there were a few times in the on call room," Michael pursued. "He propositioned me in the on-call room when I was working on my files," Cho told him. "When I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested, he still didn't take the hint." "My client also reported that you ruined a friendship he had with another nurse," Michael said after looking at Damian. "Friendship?" Cho rolled her eyes. "Okay..." "Objection," Annie stood up. "Relevance." "Sustained," the judge said. Annie sat back down, pleased. Michael, on the other hand, returned to the desk to speak to Damian. "Damian, why didn't you tell me about that file?" Michael hissed at him. "One woman we could paint as a liar, but ten?" "I didn't know she had it," Damian snapped in a low whisper. "Finish her!" "I. Don't. Have. Anything," Michael retorted. "Then get rid of her," Damian growled. Michael sighed and approached Cho once more. "Did you know Dr. Conaghan was married?" "Yes," Cho said. "I read his file before he arrived." "Did he mention to you how hard it was to be away from his wife and daughter?" Michael asked. "No," Cho replied. "In fact, I had to remind him he had one when he propositioned me in the on-call room.' Michael nearly growled. "No further questions," he snapped. Michael glared at his client. They would have to depend on character witnesses to have any hope of winning this case. But, he knew things did not look good. "I have no further witnesses," Annie said, trying to keep a smug smile off her face. Michael called a series of witnesses, mostly Damian's colleagues from the local hospital. It was nearly five in the afternoon when Michael and Annie made their closing statements. The judge announced that he would make his decision tomorrow morning. "Tomorrow?" Hermione asked bleakly. "It is late in the day," Annie said. "But I think our chances are great, Hermione. Get a good night's sleep." "I'll try," Hermione said with a sigh. "I've never wanted something to be over as much as this." Damian and his attorney stalked out of the courtroom nearly knocking Cho Chang over. Cho rolled her eyes and shook her head. She approached Harry, Ron, and Luna. "Harry, I really am knackered." "I know," Harry said. "Thanks for coming, Cho." Cho nodded and turned on her heel to walk away, but Hermione called out to her. "Cho," Hermione said. "Thank you." Cho shrugged. "We've never really gotten on, but I couldn't let him get away with this." "My daughter thanks you too," Hermione said sincerely. "She means everything to me, and I can't lose her. Your testimony helped." Cho smiled. "It's not me you should thank." She looked pointedly at Harry. "I know," Hermione nodded, following her gaze. "Good luck," Cho said shaking Hermione's hand. "Thank you," Hermione said again. Cho nodded and walked out of the courtroom. Hermione went back to Harry's said. "Let's go get Bella and Billy," she suggested. "And go back to the house with my parents. We'll have a nice night in." Harry smiled. "That sounds perfect." "You're both welcome to join us," Hermione looked at Ron and Luna. "We'd love to, but we need to get back to Hogwarts," Ron told her. "Another time?" Hermione asked. "Soon?" "Of course," Ron said giving her a hug. "I'm proud of you." Hermione hugged him tightly. "Thanks Ron." "Don't get all mushy on me now," Ron joked. "Never," she smiled. "Luna, thank you for being here today." "I hope we can become friends," Luna said softly. Hermione nodded. "Me too." Harry hugged Luna. "Keep him in line, Lovegood." "I'm the only one who can," Luna said, laughing. "I'm right here you know," Ron reminded them. "We know," Luna reached into his pocket and stole one of his biscuits. Ron grinned. "Come on then, Loony." Harry, Hermione, Robert and Elinore left the courthouse and headed towards the orphanage to pick Bella and Billy up. The kids were playing on the swings in the quad. "MUMMY!" Bella shouted, jumping off as she spotted her mother. Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes as she saw her daughter. She knelt down and opened her arms. Bella hurled herself at Hermione. Hermione hugged her tightly. "How was your first day back?" "Good," Bella said. "But everyone kept asking me about you." "What did they want to know?" Hermione asked. She could just imagine the gossip. "Why Daddy hit you," Bella said soberly. "And if he hit me too." "I'm sorry you had to deal with that," Hermione said hugging her again. "It's ok," Bella wrapped her arms around Hermione. Harry walked over to Billy. "How's it going?" Billy's entire face brightened. "Hi Harry!" "How was school?" Harry asked. "Okay," Billy said. "No fights?" Harry asked. Billy shook his head. "Bella told me not to, but I wanted to smack some of them." "Listen to Bella," Harry said mussing Billy's hair. Billy ducked but grinned at him. "I need to clear it first, but how would you feel about going home with us for the night?" Harry asked him. "For the night?" Billy asked. "Really? I get to come home with you guys?" Harry nodded. "If you'd like to, that is." Billy nodded and in a surprising move, hugged Harry around the middle. Harry hugged him back. "I just need to go ask the headmistress. I'm sure it will be fine though." Billy nodded eagerly. "Wait for me here," Harry told him. "I'll be right back." Billy nodded. "I won't move." Harry grinned at him before he walked toward the school. Bella ran over to her best friend. "If Dr. McGraw says yes, you can meet Buckbeak!" "That's your fish, right?" he asked. Bella nodded. "And you can eat dinner with us, too! This is gonna be sooo much fun!" He nodded. "Bells? What do you think Harry would say if I told him I wanted him to be my dad?" Bella looked at him in surprise. "Really?" "I told Dr. McGraw I don't want to go with those other people," Billy said. "What did she say?" Bella asked. "I don't think she was too happy," Billy said. "When are you going to tell Harry?" Bella asked looking over her shoulder to where her mother was talking to her grandparents. "Maybe tonight?" he asked. Bella smiled. "I bet he says yes." Billy felt hopeful and was about to say something else when Harry came back down. "What did she say?" Bella asked him. Harry picked her up and tickled her side. "She said he could go home with us for the night." "For the WHOLE night?" Bella asked. "For the whole entire night," Harry replied tickling her again. "But no staying up late because you both have to be up early for school and your mum and me have to be in court." "Was my daddy there?" Bella asked. "Was he mean to Mummy again?" "He was there, but he stayed at his table and she stayed at hers," Harry told her, deciding not to tell her about the incident in the bathroom. "Good," Bella replied. Harry set her down. "I'm going to help Billy pack his things for the night. Tell your mum I'll be right back." "Okay," Bella said, hugging him hard before dashing off. Billy smiled up at Harry. "You know, I've never slept over at Bella's house before." "You haven't?" Harry asked. Billy shook his head. "Dr. Conaghan would never allow it." "I'm sure you'll be able to now." Harry said, his hand on the young boy's shoulder. "Bells said you sleep over there too," Billy said as they walked toward the dormitory. "I have this week," Harry nodded. Billy was silent, wondering if he should tell Harry now when they were alone. "What's on your mind?" Harry asked, sensing Billy's thoughts. "I don't want to be adopted by the Carsons," Billy told him. "How come?" Harry asked, trying not to show how much that news pleased him. "They were nice, but I want someone else to be my family," Billy said. "Oh?" Harry asked Billy nodded. "I'm sure the right parents will come along for you," Harry assured him. "I want it to be you," Billy blurted out. Harry looked startled. Billy looked up at him. "I don't know what to say..." Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. Billy wished he hadn't said anything. He busied himself with packing his bag for the night. "Billy..." Harry said. "It's okay if you don't want to," Billy said, avoiding looking at him. "Billy, it's not that," Harry said. "I don't have any children, you know. But, I think if I did have a son, I'd want him to be like you." "Yeah," he muttered. Harry wished Hermione was here with him. She'd know exactly what to say. "Let's pack your bag. We don't want to keep everyone waiting." Billy only nodded. Billy didn't say anything else while he packed his bag. "Come on," Harry said quietly, leading him back downstairs. "All packed and ready?" Hermione asked Billy. "Tilly is making spaghetti, which I know you love." "Thanks, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. Bella took his hand. "It's going to be great." Billy waited until Harry and Hermione had walked ahead. "I told him," he said to Bella. "I don't think he wants me." "What?" Bella asked. "Why?" "He said IF he had a son, he'd want him to be like me," Billy said. "But he didn't tell me he wanted it to be me." "He didn't say no though," Bella pointed out. "Yeah but---" Billy began. "Just give him time," Bella told him. "Okay," Billy shrugged. "When we get to your house," Harry whispered to Hermione. "I need to talk to you." "About what?" she asked. "Billy," Harry whispered. Hermione looked at him strangely. "And I'll tell you about Cho," Harry promised. "Okay," she said. They made it back to Hermione's house a few minutes later. Bella immediately took Billy upstairs to her room to show him her goldfish. Robert and Elinore decided to freshen up before dinner and Harry followed Hermione into the sitting room. "So, what's going on?" Hermione asked. "What's going on with Billy?" "Hermione he asked me to adopt him," Harry blurted out. "I didn't know what to say." "What about the Carsons?" Hermione asked. "He doesn't want them," Harry raised his shoulders. "Harry," Hermione said. "I'd love to have him as a son," Harry told her. "That little boy has been through way too much in his short life," Hermione said. "He's felt rejected by every person that's ever loved him, Harry. " "I know," Harry nodded. "I hated what I said- it just took me by surprise." "What do you want?" Hermione asked him. "What do you really want?" "To be with you," Harry said. "To have a family." "And where does Billy fit into that?" Hermione asked him gently. "I can see him, you know." Harry said. "Sitting at the dinner table with us. Going on holiday to visit your parents. Opening presents with Bella under the Christmas tree. I just don't know how to go about it. I don't want to tell him only to have him be disappointed if it doesn't happen." "You'd be a wonderful father," Hermione said hugging him tightly. "You really think so?" Harry asked. Hermione nodded. "I mean... how do I even go about this?" Harry asked. "Adoption..." "You tell Dr. McGraw," Hermione said. "You fill out papers...." "Do you think it could happen?" Harry ventured. Hermione took his hands in hers. "I do." "He's such a great kid," Harry said. "I just... I didn't like the thought of him going anywhere else." Hermione smiled. "I knew." Harry smiled at her. "I shouldn't burden you with this." "I want to help," Hermione said. "That's what you do, you know? For people that you love..." Harry nodded. "I'd do anything to help you." "You did," Hermione said looking into his eyes. "With Cho.:" "I got her to call him there," Harry said. "I knew she could find a reason... and I wanted to get him out of here." "Thank you," Hermione said touching his cheek. "I knew we could reconnect," Harry said. "I didn’t' know when, but I knew we could. If he was out of the way." "You never gave up on me," Hermione whispered. Harry shook his head. "I couldn't. I knew you were out there somewhere." Hermione leaned in and gave him a kiss. Harry closed his eyes and pressed his lips against hers. Hermione wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer. She'd wanted this all day long. "We aren't moving too fast?" he asked. Hermione stared dazedly at him. "Maybe..." Harry nodded. "We need to take it slow. You need time to recover after all this without worrying about a relationship with me." "I just want you to know that's what I want," Hermione said softly. "To be with you." Harry nodded. "It's all at your pace, Hermione. I can wait for you." "Which makes me love you even more," Hermione said giving him another kiss. Harry held her close- not too tightly, he knew she was still recovering- but closely enough. Elinore cleared her throat. "I'm sorry to interrupt. But, Tilly said that dinner was ready." Harry and Hermione pulled apart. "Thanks Mum. We'll be right down." Elinore smiled at the young couple before she closed the door. "Let's get the children," Hermione said to Harry. "Right," Harry squeezed her hand. Hermione led the way across the hall to Bella's room. "Kids?" Hermione knocked on the door. "Dinner's ready." Bella smiled. "I'm starving." "Billy?" Harry asked. "I'd like a quick word." "Okay," Billy said warily. Bella and Hermione left the room. Harry sat down on Bella's bed. "I've been thinking a lot about what you told me earlier." "It's okay," Billy kicked at the ruffle on the bed. "I shouldn't have said anything." "No, I'm glad that you did," Harry reassured him. "The truth is, I've thought about that myself." Billy was surprised. "You have? You want me?" Harry smiled. "I do." "But I thought you didn't," Billy said. "I never said that," Harry said. "It's just when you asked me---it startled me. I didn’t quite know what to say at that moment." Billy was still staring at him. "But you want... you want to adopt me?" Harry nodded and smiled at the boy. "But, there's a lot we have to do before that happens, Billy. There's a chance I could be turned down." "But what if I tell them I want you to be my dad?" Billy asked desperately. "That will help," Harry said. "But you remember all the Carsons had to go through? We'll go through that, as well." "I don't care," Billy told him. "I just don't want to disappoint you," Harry said. "I'll tell Mrs. McGraw tomorrow," Billy said. Harry stood up and walked over to Billy. "I want you to know that I do want this. I want us to be a family." Billy smiled tentatively. "Me too." Harry gave him a hug. "Come on," Harry said. "Let's go get some of that spaghetti." Billy grinned. "Okay." Harry followed Billy downstairs. Hermione could tell by the grin on Billy's face that the talk with Harry had gone well. "Billy I saved you a spot by me," Bella said. "Thanks, Bells," Billy said sitting down beside her. Harry took a seat next to Hermione and looked around the table. This was the family he hoped could be his someday. *** *** *** The next morning found Hermione leaving for the courthouse with her parents and Harry, in tow. Harry had gotten up earlier that morning to see the children off to school and to notify Dr. McGraw of his intentions toward Billy. Hermione wanted to ask him how it had gone but decided to wait until after the verdict. She didn't think she'd be able to concentrate on anything else. "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Elinore commented. Hermione nodded absently. It could be raining for all she cared. Harry squeezed her hand. "Alright?" "I will be when this is all over," Hermione said. "It will be in just a few minutes," Harry tried to reassure her. "I know it's in our favour, but what if he rules for Damian?" Hermione asked. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost Bella." "You're not going to lose her," Harry vowed. "No matter what that judge says." "I don't want anything else from him," Hermione said. "You're going to get custody," Robert told his daughter. "And that son-of-a-bitch is going to go away for a long time for what he did to you." Hermione only nodded, her mouth going dry as they arrived at the courthouse. Harry held the door open for them. To his dismay, he caught sight of Damian Conaghan walking up the steps with his attorney. Hermione caught sight of him too and paled. "If it isn't my wife and her lover," Damian said sarcastically. "Just ignore him," Harry said to Hermione. "Come on, Damian," Michael said, not wanting a scene. "You'll never win," Damian said in a low voice. "I'll always be around, Hermione." "I don't want anything from you," Hermione told him. "I just want *my* daughter." Damian smirked. "Damian, come on," Michael said yanking on his client's arm. Hermione watched him go, and let out a breath she didn't realise she'd been holding. "Come on," Robert said. "Annie's waiting for us.' "Right," Hermione sighed. Annie was waiting for them in the courtroom. She welcomed the four of them and told Hermione that she had a good feeling about the judge's decision. "I hope you're right," Hermione replied. "I can barely function right now." Annie nodded sympathetically. "How's your daughter?" "She's fine," Hermione said. "Had her best friend stay over last night." "That's nice," Annie said. "Normalcy is very important for her." Hermione nodded. The bailiff entered the courtroom and announced the judge. "Please rise." She felt her knees nearly knocking together and wished Harry were standing next to her. The judge banged his gavel. "Be seated." Annie smiled encouragingly at Hermione. "Mr. and Mrs. Conaghan," the judge addressed them. "We are here to discuss one thing and one thing only. The well-being and custody of your daughter, Isabella. From all accounts, this little girl is a good student with good manners and a kind heart." "I am concerned that sending her to live with the wrong parent could do her serious harm, and it was not an easy decision to come to," the judge continued. "Throughout this trial we have heard from both sides," the judge said. "And there is the matter of the contract that Mrs. Conaghan signed." Hermione chanced a look in Damian's direction and he had the nerve to smirk back at her. "I'm concerned that you would sign this contract without fully reading it, Mrs. Conaghan. To me, it signified that you don't think things through." the judge continued. Hermione looked down. It was not something she was proud of either. All her life she had always considered her options and thought things through, but with that one contract, she'd just signed without a second thought. "However," the judge turned to look at Damian. "The evidence shown against you is astounding. I have taken in the amount of infidelities, including those you indulged in while overseas on business, as well as your arrests for the abuse of your wife." Damian put his hands on the table. Hermione had seen that look all too many times. He was trying to keep his temper in check. "I simply cannot place a child into an environment such as that you would provide for her," the judge said evenly. "While there is no evidence that you have hurt her, my instincts tell me that someday that would change." "NO!" Damian shouted. "Silence!" the judge barked. "One more outburst and I'll hold you in contempt!" Damian's attorney put his hand on Damian's shoulder and shot him a look of warning. "Therefore," the judge continued. "I am nullifying this contract. Isabella Conaghan is placed into sole custody of her mother, Hermione Conaghan. Damian Conaghan is to pay child support each month until the child turns 18." Damian glared at the judge. "I am also keeping the restraining order in place," the judge told them. Hermione sighed in relief. "You BITCH!" Damian roared, lunging for her. Harry acted on pure instinct. His old Seeker reflexes came into play as he reached Damian just before he got his hands on Hermione. Harry shoved him back, resisting the very powerful urge to kill him. "Harry," Hermione said. "Let him. He's just going to hang himself now." The bailiff stepped in between them. "Take him into custody," the judge snapped. The bailiff forcefully grabbed Damian's arm and yanked him out of the courtroom. "He will be arraigned tomorrow," the judge said to Michael. "I'm sorry your honour," Michael said. "It's not me you have to apologise to," the judge said pointedly. "Congratulations, Mrs. Conaghan. I can see I made the correct decision." Hermione nodded. "Thank you, your honour. Thank you so much." The judge banged his gavel and left the courtroom. Hermione turned and looked at the people who meant the most in this world to her---her parents, Harry, Ron and Luna. They'd all been here to support her at the toughest time in her life. And they were here to congratulate her now that her nightmare seemed to finally be over. "This is wonderful, sweetheart," Elinore said. "It is," Hermione said meeting Harry's eyes. Harry smiled at her. "Everything's working out." "Just as you said it would," Hermione said hugging him. "I couldn't have done this without you." Harry hugged her back. "Yes you could have." "I doubt that," Hermione said. "I can't even begin to thank you." "You don't have to," Harry said. "We all do," Robert said. "Thank you, Harry." Harry shook his hand. "You're a good man, Harry," Robert said. "Thank you," Harry said sincerely. Elinore gave him a hug. "We're sorry we never really gave you a chance." "It's all in the past," Harry said. "I want to go and tell Bella," Hermione said to him. "She'll be so happy," Elinore said. Hermione nodded. "All that's left now is the criminal trial..." "His arrest today will count against him," Annie said. "Plus the other times he has violated the restraining order." "He'll be nothing but a bad memory," Elinore said taking her daughter's hand. "I just hope it goes as quickly as this one," Hermione said. "It will," Annie reassured her. "Now, you go and tell your daughter the great news." "I'll talk to you soon," Hermione said before hurrying out of the courthouse with Harry and her parents. Back at the school, the students were just taking their morning recess. "You want to play football, Bells?" Billy asked. Bella shook her head. "I just want to see my mummy." "I wonder how long it takes," Billy said. "I don't know," Bella kicked at the ground. "But I don't want to go live with my daddy." "Harry said that would never happen," Billy tried to reassure her. "I hope not," Bella said quietly. Billy opened his mouth to say something else when he saw Mrs. Conaghan, Bella's grandparents and Harry walking toward them. "Bells." Bella's head snapped up. "MUMMY!" Hermione held open her arms and Bella ran toward her. The little girl threw herself at her mother. "I get to stay with you, right?" "Yes," Hermione said hugging her tightly. "Forever, baby." "I don't ever have to see him again?" Bella asked. "Never again," Hermione promised. Bella hugged her mother tightly. "Good news, eh?" Harry asked tugging affectionately at the little girl's ponytail. "Yes," Bella grinned at him. "That's not the only good news," Harry said grinning at Billy. "I put in the paperwork today for the adoption." "You did?" Billy asked. "Really?" Harry nodded. "Yeah." "So you're going to be my dad," Billy said, staring up at him. "You really want to be MY dad!" Harry picked him up. "Yes, I really do." Hermione had to smile as Billy hugged Harry. "I say this is definitely a day with a happy ending." "This is the best day ever," Bella giggled. She spotted her grandparents. "Grandma! Grandpa!" "Hello, darling," Elinore said. "How's my favourite girl today?" Robert asked. "Good, now that I get to stay with Mummy," Bella said. "Was Dr. Conaghan really mad?" Billy asked Harry. Harry nodded. "Pretty upset." "But, none of that matters now," Hermione said squeezing Bella's hand. "Because we aren't going to be afraid of him anymore. He can't hurt us ever again." "Especially you," Bella said, resting her head on Hermione's shoulder. "I'm just so sorry that I had to put you through that, baby," Hermione said softly. "It wasn't your fault, Mummy." Bella said. Hermione hugged her tightly. "I didn't set a very good example for you, Bella. It's never right for someone to hit you or make you feel less than you are." "I know," Bella replied. "I love you, baby," Hermione said resting her forehead on Bella's. "More than anything in this world." "Well," Harry said. "Once you two are done with school for the day we'll have to go out to celebrate." Billy and Bella grinned at each other. "Pizza!" Hermione laughed. "Pizza it is." The morning recess was coming to an end and Billy and Bella reluctantly said their goodbyes before following their classmates inside. Elinore and Robert excused themselves to check in with their office back in London. This left Harry and Hermione alone. "Come on," Harry said. "Let's go to my office." Hermione nodded. "Okay." "How are you feeling, really?" Harry asked her. "Relieved," Hermione replied. "Happy. Emotional...you name it and I'm feeling it right now." Harry nodded. "What will you do with the house?" "Sell it," Hermione said. "I'd like to start over in some place smaller; some place where Bella and I can make good memories." "Maybe someday when you're ready, you could make those memories with me and Billy," Harry said softly. Hermione turned to look at him. "I'd love that." "We'll take things slow, as slow as you want," Harry promised. Hermione smiled at him. "I don't know what I ever did to deserve this." "You let me back in," Harry said. "That's all it took." Hermione closed the office door behind them. She hugged him. "I love you. I always have." "I love you too," Harry buried his face in her hair. "I never stopped." "I was thinking one night that I could have my parents watch Bella," Hermione whispered. "Hermione--" he began. "Just a dinner," Hermione interjected. "And we'll just see where the night goes..." "I just don't want you to do anything that might set you back," Harry told her. Hermione hugged him again. "I know." "I should go talk to Dr. McGraw and see if there's anything else I can do to speed along the process," Harry said. Hermione nodded and leaned in for a kiss. Harry kept his lips pressed gently to hers for a moment. "Good luck," Hermione whispered. "Thanks," Harry said. "Are you going to wait in here?" Hermione nodded. "If you don't mind..." "I don't mind at all," he replied. "Be back soon." Hermione sat down on the small sofa. For the first time in what seemed like forever, she actually felt happy. She rested her head on the pillow and closed her eyes. She'd barely been able to sleep a wink last night. She'd tossed and turned last night imagining every worst case scenario possible. Now Hermione could relax. Harry wished he could say the same. He'd felt great about his chances with the adoption when he'd filled out the paperwork, but now Dr. McGraw was drilling him with questions. "What sort of home do you think you can provide for a child?" she asked. "Well, I have a flat in London and my godfather left me his family estate, but I've never really lived in one place for very long," Harry replied. "Hmm..." Dr. McGraw wrote that down. Harry frowned and cursed himself for saying that. "Um, but I'm going to move to Johannesburg. Permanently." "Oh?" Dr. McGraw looked up. Harry nodded. "I finally feel like I want to settle down somewhere. This place feels like home." "What made you decide that?" she asked. "This school, the people," Harry replied. "Billy." Dr. McGraw nodded again and wrote something else down. "He's a great kid, Dr. McGraw," Harry said. "Yes he is," Dr. McGraw nodded. "I know what it's like to grow up without parents," Harry said. "I know what it's like to feel alone and unloved. I don't want Billy to feel like that." "That's what I like to hear," Dr. McGraw said. Dr. McGraw made some more notes and then she levelled her gaze at Harry. "Are you dating anyone right now, Harry?" "Not at the moment," he said honestly. It was true- he and Hermione were not dating. "I know you're currently residing in a hotel," Dr. McGraw said. "Have you made plans for a permanent residence?" "I'm looking for a decent flat," Harry nodded. "Or a nice small house." "It's important that you set that up fairly quickly," Dr. McGraw told him. "Of course," Harry said. "I'll work on having something by week's end." "Once you've settled in, the social worker will visit your home to determine if it's a suitable location for the child," Dr. McGraw told him. "And you'll need to submit letters of recommendation." "Right," Harry nodded. "I'll talk with Billy's social worker today and have her contact you," Dr. McGraw told him. "I appreciate it," Harry said. Dr. McGraw shook his hand. "Good luck, Harry." "Thanks," Harry said. "I'll be back Friday full time, and I believe Mrs. Conaghan will be back to work next week." Dr. McGraw nodded. "You've really turned things around for us, Harry." "That's why I'm here," Harry replied. "I'm glad to do it." "I'll see you on Friday then," Dr. McGraw told him as she saw him to the door. Harry shook her hand again and headed back down to his office. He opened the door and smiled when he saw Hermione fast asleep on the sofa. He knelt down in front of her and brushed a strand of hair from her face. She mumbled something but didn't wake up, so he decided to do some paperwork while she kipped. He took a blanket and draped it over her before he sat down behind his desk. Hermione slept for three hours. Harry rang her parents and told them what was going on and that they would just meet them at the house later. Harry gently shook Hermione. "Hey..." "Hmm..." she murmured. Harry touched her cheek. "Time to wake up..." "Where are we?" she asked, blinking. "My office, sleepyhead," Harry grinned. "Oh yeah," Hermione pushed herself up. "I didn't know that you talked in your sleep," Harry teased her. She blushed crimson. "What did I say?" "You were babbling something about Ron's body," Harry said trying to keep a straight face. "What?" Hermione looked disgusted. "Something about his arse," Harry said wincing. "Harry James Potter, I said nothing of the sort," Hermione said. "You did," Harry retorted. "You kept going on and on about it..." "I don't believe you," Hermione said. "I know what I heard," Harry said with a grin. Hermione rolled her eyes. "Does wonders for a bloke's ego, you know," Harry commented. "Hearing that the woman he fancies still carries a torch for her old flame..." "I never liked Ron that much," Hermione informed him. "Oh, you were just after him for his bum," Harry teased. "Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "I was NOT talking about Ron, or his bum." Harry grinned. "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much..." "Honestly," Hermione muttered. "Okay," Harry said, putting his arms around her. "You didn't mention anything about Ron." "I know," she said. "Forgive me?" Harry asked. "Of course," she said. Harry gave her a kiss. "I like seeing you smile and hearing that laugh." "It feels like it's been a long time since I was able to be myself," Hermione answered. "Those days are over," Harry said. "You have your daughter, Hermione. And you never have to worry about Damian Conaghan again." "I hope not," Hermione said. "I hope he doesn't pull something at the criminal trial." "There's no way he'd get off," Harry said confidently. "And that trick he pulled today certainly didn't help." Hermione nodded. "I hope I can get a quick divorce." "You should send an owl to Lavender Brown," Harry told her. "She is the queen of the quick divorce. She's already on her fourth marriage." "What?" Hermione asked in disbelief. Harry chuckled. "I think the ink wasn't dry on her divorce papers before she married the fourth bloke." "Goodness," Hermione mused. Harry was going to suggest they get the children, but an idea suddenly came to him. "Um, I just remembered there's something I have to do..." "What?" Hermione asked. Harry just grinned at her. "I'll meet you at the restaurant." "Harry--" she said, bewildered. Harry pecked her on the cheek. "I'll meet you there. I promise." "Okay," she said, wondering why he was being so mysterious. Hermione found Billy and Bella in the lobby and took the two children back to the house to get ready for the party. They arrived at the restaurant a little after six and Harry was still nowhere to be found. To Hermione's delight, Ron and Luna had made it. "Who's he?" Billy asked Hermione. "Billy, I'd like you to meet Harry's best friend," Hermione said. "This is Ron Weasley and his girlfriend, Luna Lovegood." "He's friends with Harry?" Billy asked. "Hiya," Ron said extending his hand. "Hi," Billy said, reaching out. Ron shook the little boy's hand. "Harry tells me you have quite the appetite. I think you and I are going to get along." Billy grinned at him. Ron laughed and looked at Hermione. "I like this kid." Hermione smiled but didn't say anything about Harry's plans. That was his place to tell, not hers. "Hello Luna. I'm so glad you made it tonight." "I wouldn't have missed it," Luna said giving her a hug. "You're very important to Ronald." It hit Hermione then how much she had missed having real, honest friends in her life. "He's important to me too. As are you." "I'd like us to be friends," Luna said softly. "I don't have that many..." "We're already friends now," Hermione told her. "Where is Harry?" Luna asked looking around the room. "I don't know," Hermione said. "He had an errand to run and said he'd meet us here." Bella walked over to her mother and tugged on her arm. "Mummy?" "Yes, love?" she asked. Belly tried to remember exactly what Harry had told her to say. "Harry wants you...Harry said for you...go to the roof." "What?" Hermione asked. "When did you see him?" "Just now," Bella said. "Oh..." Hermione said. "Well... I guess I'll be back in a few minutes. Tell Grandma for me, will you?" Bella nodded. "Okay, Mummy." Hermione went outside and up the stairwell that led her to the roof. "Harry?" "You look beautiful," he called out from behind her. She gasped. "You scared me!" "I'm sorry," Harry said reaching for her hand. "I didn't mean to." "It's okay," she smiled at him. "Are you going to tell me all about this mysterious errand of yours?" "Have a seat," Harry said leading her over to where he'd set up a small table and chairs. Hermione was confused but she followed him and sat down. "I know the past few weeks have been crazy," Harry said. "That's an understatement," Hermione shook her head. "You said that you were feeling more like yourself now," Harry continued. "More so than in a long time," Hermione nodded. "There was something I thought that might help," Harry said grinning at her as he held out a box. Hermione gasped when she opened it. "My wand?" Harry nodded. "It was in your parents' attic." "I can't believe you found it," Hermione picked it up lovingly. "I'm just glad your parents saved it," Harry said sitting down beside her. "I didn't think they would," Hermione said. "I think a part of them knew you might want it back someday," Harry said softly. Hermione waved it. "Wingardium Leviosa," she pointed to the table. The table shook a bit before it rose. Harry grinned at her. "The witch has still got it..." Hermione laughed. "Easier than I remembered.” "How's it feel?" Harry asked her. "Wonderful," Hermione said softly. "Thank you." "I just returned it to its rightful owner," Harry said. Hermione nodded thoughtfully, running her fingertips over the smooth wooden handle. "You're not going to transfigure me into a ferret, are you?" Harry asked teasingly. Hermione laughed. "Are you saying I look like Moody?" Harry shook his head. "No absolutely not!" "Good," she said with a grin. "Because I am handy with one of these." "I know," Harry grinned back at her. Hermione tucked it into her sleeve, just as she always had. "Shall we go back down? Billy's dying to see you." Harry nodded. "Yeah. Me, too." "He and Ron may already be trying to out eat each other," Hermione told him. Harry laughed. "Kindred spirits.' Hermione smiled and reached for his hand. "I love you," Harry said squeezing her hand. "I love you too," she said softly. He gave her a kiss. "Let's go." The two of them headed back downstairs. Harry grinned when he saw Billy sitting with Ron. "You know, it's good that way," Ron was saying to Billy. "But, it's even better if you put the chocolate on top like this..." "What are you teaching him?" Harry asked. "The best way to make a banana split," Ron said. Harry laughed. "Remember all those banana splits we made at your house during the summer hols?" A dreamy expression came over Ron's face at the memory. "Yeah..." "He has a one track mind," Harry told Billy. "Once you get him talking about food..." Billy laughed. "I kind of got that." "Did you order yet?" Harry asked him. "We were waiting for you," Billy said. "Oh," Harry replied. "Well I'm sure you all are starving." "Just a little," Billy lied. "What's your favourite kind of pizza?" Harry asked him. "We'll order it and split it between us." "Pepperoni," Billy replied. "Double?" Harry asked. Billy grinned. "Of course." "We'll get the large one," Harry said. "And if we don't finish it, Ron will." Billy beamed at him. "Thanks, Harry." Harry ruffled the young boy's hair. He couldn't believe how much coming here had changed his life. It not only brought Hermione back into it, but now he was adopting a son. Bella called for Billy and the boy ran over to his best friend. Ron looked at Harry. "He's a good kid." Harry nodded. "Yeah he is. I'm... I'm in the process of adopting him." Ron gaped at him. "What?" "I'm trying to adopt him," Harry said. "I just started the paperwork." "You're serious about this, aren't you?" Ron asked. Harry nodded. "Wow," Ron said. "You've really settled down, haven't you?" "Seems so," Harry replied. "I'm looking for a house for the two of us.... hopefully soon it'll be four." "You think she's ready for that?" Ron said, inclining his head in Hermione's direction. "Not yet," Harry shook his head. "I told her to take her time." "She seems very happy tonight," Ron said as the two men looked at their best friend. She was dancing with Bella. Harry smiled. "I hope she feels like she has a lot to be happy for." "I think so," Ron said thoughtfully. "I'll go and order the pizza. You go and be with your family." Harry grinned. "Will do. Thanks mate." Harry walked over to the dance floor where Bella, Billy, and Hermione were dancing. "Room for one more?" Harry asked. Bella giggled. "Okay!" "Let's show them how it's done, Bella," Harry said picking the girl up and setting her feet on top of his. "I can dance!" Bella said delightedly. Harry grinned. "You're light on your feet, Miss Conaghan." Hermione watched Harry dance with her daughter. It was something she'd always wished Damian would do. "You're doing great, Bells," Billy encouraged. "And now," Harry said dramatically. "The dip..." "The what?" Bella asked. Harry put his hand on the young girl's back and dipped her. Bella giggled. "Harry!" "Like that, did you?" he asked. "That was the bestest part," Bella laughed. Harry lifted her up. "Dancing with you is the bestest part," he kissed her cheek. Bella hugged him tightly. Harry hugged her back. "Are you having fun?" Bella nodded. "Lots of fun. Did Mummy like her surprise?" "Yes she did," Harry grinned. "And you did a good job of getting her up there." "I did just what you told me," Bella said. "Good job," Harry said affectionately. Harry set her down. "How about you and I switch partners?" "Okay," Bella replied. Billy grinned at Bella. "How about we go and get some breadsticks instead?" "I like that idea," Bella nodded. "Much better." Hermione and Harry watched the two children head back to the table. "May I?" Harry asked offering her his hand. "Sure," Hermione said softly. Harry took her hand. He wasn't much of a dancer, but he didn't mind an excuse to hold her close. He curved his arm around her waist, holding her close but not too much. "You know," Hermione said softly. "I actually thought that you might ask me to dance that time during the Yule Ball." "In fourth year?" Harry asked. "Man... I was so hung up on Cho during that ball I barely noticed anyone... but you." Hermione blushed. "You didn't even know it was me when you first saw me." "I didn't," he agreed. "But I remember when I did realise it... my jaw about dropped to the floor." Hermione smiled up at him. "So all these years later, we finally get our dance." "Took us long enough," Harry quipped. Hermione laughed. "Well, it was worth the wait." "Very much so," Harry looked over at the table and saw the pizza was there. "Hungry?" "Starving," Hermione admitted. "Come on." Harry let his hand wander to the small of her back as she walked ahead of him to the table. Harry sat down beside Billy. "Alright?" Billy nodded eagerly. "Well, I know tomorrow's a Saturday and I was wondering if you might want to help me look at houses," Harry said to him. "Houses?" Billy asked. Harry nodded. "I figure if it's going to be your home too, you should have a say." "Can we have a game room?" Billy asked hopefully. "You know, I think that can be arranged," Harry replied with a grin. "COOL!" Billy exclaimed. Harry loaded a plate with two slices of pizza and handed it to Billy. "Thanks," Billy said. Hermione stood up. "I, um, just wanted to say something to all of you...." Harry looked up at her. "I can't thank you enough for the love and support you've all shown Bella and me," Hermione said looking around the table. "I shut all of you out, but you stood by me when I needed you most." "Of course, love." Elinore said, her eyes bright. "I feel like this is a new beginning for Bella and me," Hermione said. "And I'm glad that you've all gathered here with us tonight." "Hear, hear." Ron said. "For some excellent pizza!" Hermione laughed. "Ron---" "And to celebrate," Ron said sheepishly when Luna nudged him. "To Hermione and Bella!" Robert exclaimed lifting his glass. Everyone echoed the toast and Bella turned red as Billy grinned at her. "Here, here!" Ron exclaimed, reaching for his pizza. Hermione sat back down. "What a day," she sighed. "It's been a great day," Bella said happily. "Yes it has, baby." Hermione said. "Harry's taking me to look at houses," Billy said. "He is?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded. "I've talked to an estate agent who recommended some places." "We get to have a game room, Bells," Billy told her. Bella smiled. "That's great, Billy!" "It'll be so, so cool," Billy said taking a huge bite of his pizza. "It's not going to be all fun and games," Harry reminded Billy. "You're going to have to do your homework and do chores..." "What kinds of chores?" Billy asked. "Keeping your room clean," Harry replied. "Things like that." "I already have to do that," Billy said. "But now you'll be doing it in your home and you'll have your own room," Bella said. "No roommates." "Right," Billy nodded. "The agent set up about four listings for us to take a look at," Harry told the group. "Cool," Billy said. Hermione watched as Harry told Billy more about the houses they'd be looking at tomorrow. She was so happy that he would be staying here. She slipped her hand under the table and reached for his, squeezing it. "Mummy, what are we going to do tomorrow?" Bella asked. "I don't know, baby." Hermione said. "Perhaps we could work in the garden," Elinore suggested. "That sounds like fun," Bella said. Hermione smiled. It sounded normal, which sounded perfect right now. "We can meet up later if you want, for dinner," Harry said to her. "Sure," Hermione said. "I'll ring you when Billy and I are done," Harry told her. Ron looked at Luna. "He should just ask her to move in with him and be done with it." "I'm sure he's giving her some time to recover from what she's been through," Luna said softly. Ron grinned. "He's being noble, you mean." "Exactly," Luna smiled at him. "Suppose that could work," Ron said thoughtfully. "I'm sure when she's ready, they'll move forward," Luna replied. "It’s gotta be killing him though," Ron said looking at his friend. "I think he's okay." Luna said. "Now that she's almost free from Damian..." "What a piece of work that guy was, eh?" Ron asked reaching for another slice of pizza. "He had such a bad aura," Luna replied. "And what do you foresee for them?" Ron asked motioning to their friends. "Happiness," she said softly. "And for me?" Ron asked with a grin. "Do you see a big banana split in my future? Or at the very least a piece of chocolate cake?" "Both," Luna replied. Ron grinned. "I love you, Luna." "Love you too," she said, pecking him on the lips. The rest of the evening passed by all too quickly. The children were getting sleepy and Harry had promised to see Billy back to the orphanage. "Are you sure you'll be okay without me there?" Harry asked Hermione. "Not that you wouldn't be..." "I'll be fine," Hermione replied. "And now that I have my wand, I can set the wards on the house myself." He smiled. "About time I use that hotel room I've been paying for." Hermione smiled back at him. "You do want to get your money's worth." He grinned. "Talk to you tomorrow. And you know I'll be there in a moment if I have to be." Hermione hugged him. "I know." "And good night to you, Miss Bella," Harry said to the young girl. Bella yawned. "Good night, Harry." Harry ruffled her hair affectionately. "Doughnuts in the morning?" Bella perked up a little at this. "Please?" "I'll bring a whole box of your favourites," he promised. "Night, Billy," Bella said to her friend. "Night Bells," Billy replied, yawning. Harry picked up the boy. "Come on, you. Let's get you back to the school." "Okay," Billy said sleepily. Harry turned to look at Hermione once more. He couldn't wait for the day when they'd be going home together. She smiled. "Thank you again, Harry. Especially for the wand." "You're welcome," Harry said smiling back at her. He then mouthed to her "I love you." "Love you," she mouthed back. "Hermione, we should get Bella home," Elinore said to her daughter. Hermione nodded and lifted her sleepy daughter into her arms. Bella rested her head on Hermione's shoulder. "Love you, Mummy." Hermione hugged her. "I love you too baby. Always." Hermione thought about all that she had done to get through this---she'd nearly lost her daughter, the man she loved, and her life. But, she had all of those things now. It was all worth it because of the little girl in her arms right now. There was nothing Hermione wouldn't do for her. 21. The Way I Am ---------------- **Well here we are, the end of Time after Time. We do hope you all enjoyed this fic. We’ll see you all in Last Dance (which could use some love, hint- hint!) and in the coming months, a brand new story :D** **The Way I Am – Ingrid Michaelson** **If you were falling, then I would catch you. You need a light, I'd find a match. Cuz I love the way you say good morning. And you take me the way I am. If you are chilly, here take my sweater. Your head is aching, I'll make it better. Cuz I love the way you call me baby. And you take me the way I am.** It had been a year and a half since Hermione had won custody of Bella, and her life and turned completely around. Once Damian had been convicted of spousal abuse, Hermione had been granted a quick divorce. She sold the house, keeping Tilly on with her, and she and Bella enjoyed each other's company without the fear of Damian over their shoulders. Harry had also been a constant in their life. His petition to adopt Billy had been granted and Hermione could see how much Harry enjoyed being a father. They had helped each other immensely in their new lives. "Hermione," a voice cut into her thoughts. "Do you take Harry as your lawfully wedded husband?" Hermione's maid of honour, Bella, tugged on her mother's arm. "Mummy, this is the part where you say 'I do'," Bella whispered. Hermione laughed. "I do." The vicar smiled. "And do you, Harry take Hermione as your lawfully wedded wife?" Harry grinned. "I do." "May we have the rings?" the vicar asked. Billy pulled the rings from his pocket and handed them to him. He was serving as Harry's best man and he'd taken the job very seriously. "Thanks, son." Harry said. Billy grinned. The vicar handed Harry's ring to Hermione. Hermione slid it on to Harry's finger. "With this ring, I thee wed." Harry took Hermione's band and slid it carefully onto her finger. "With this ring, I thee wed." "By the power invested in me," the vicar announced. "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Harry, you may kiss your bride." Harry pulled Hermione to him and smiled at her for a moment before pressing his lips to hers. "Ladies and gentlemen," the vicar said. "I present to you, Harry and Hermione Potter and their two children, Isabella and William." The small audience watching broke out into applause. Harry squeezed Hermione's hand. "Mrs. Potter." "Mummy," Bella said. "That's my last name now too, right?" Hermione smiled. "Yes, baby." "Yay!" Bella said happily. It had taken some effort, but they'd finally managed to get Damian to sign away his parental rights to Bella. Harry and Hermione had signed the papers just yesterday to have Harry officially adopt Bella. "And now you're my brother," Bella said to Billy. Billy grinned. "And you're my sister." "Now you've really got to watch out for her," Harry teased. Billy laughed. "Dad, I already do that." "And a great job of it," Harry nodded. "Congratulations!" Elinore exclaimed coming forward to give her daughter a hug. "Hermione, you look beautiful!" "Thanks Mum," Hermione hugged her tightly. "I'm so glad you and Dad are here." "We wouldn't have missed it," Robert said shaking Harry's hand. "Thank you," Harry said. "We're all glad you made it." "When do we get to eat cake?" Ron asked earning a nudge from Luna. "What? I'm starving!" "All in due time," Harry shook his head. Neville, his wife and children laughed at this. Harry still ran his foundation with Neville's help. "Some things never change," Neville said to Ron. "Always thinking of that stomach of yours." "I'm a hungry boy," Ron said defensively. "Let's walk over to the reception hall and give the new family a little time alone," Luna suggested. "Can I have a piggyback ride, Daddy?" Bella asked Harry. Harry grinned. "Come on then, little monkey." Bella giggled. "I'm not a monkey!" Harry swung her around. "Excuse me, maid of honour." "Better," Bella grinned at him. Hermione knelt down in front of Billy. "And I have never seen a more handsome best man in all my life." Billy turned red. "Do I call you Mum now?" "You can call me whatever you want," Hermione told him. Billy nodded. It had taken him awhile to stop calling her Mrs. Conaghan and it was easier for now for him to call her Hermione. Hermione gave him a hug. "I'm just really happy to be a part of your family." "Me too," Billy said. The photographer asked to take some shots of the family together and then of just the bride and groom. "And I'd like one of my mum and dad with us too," Hermione requested. "Of course," the photographer said. Hermione smiled as Harry slid his arms around her. "How are you doing so far, Mrs. Potter?" "Blissfully happy," Hermione said leaning against him. "I've waited for this day for so long." "Me too," Harry replied. "You don't know how long." Hermione turned to look at him properly. "I think I have some idea." He tucked her hair back behind her ear. "You look gorgeous today, Hermione." Hermione smiled up at him. "You look handsome today. I love it when you wear a suit." "Had to look good for you," he said. Hermione leaned in for a kiss. Harry wound his arms around her. "I love you," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder. "I love you too," Harry said. "I love you more than anything." "We're really married?" Hermione whispered. "We sure are," Harry rested his forehead on hers. Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. "I didn't know it was possible to be this happy." "You're always going to be this happy now," Harry told her. "Always." Hermione believed him. She finally had everything she always wanted and she wasn't afraid anymore. "I trust you," Hermione said. "More than anything." "I'm glad," he said squeezing her hand. "It wasn't always this easy over the past year and a half." "I'm sorry," Hermione started to say. Harry shook his head. "Don't apologise." "I owe you so much," Hermione said. "My life..." "Hermione--" Harry started. "I owe you my life, my daughter's life," Hermione said. "If you hadn't have come back into my life, I don't want to think about what might have happened. " "I don't like to think about it either," Harry admitted. "I tried pushing you away," Hermione said. "But you didn't let me." "Couldn't," Harry smiled crookedly. Hermione kissed him. "You have that family you always wanted." "So do you," he pointed out. "There's something else," Hermione said touching his cheek. "What's that?" he asked softly. "The new house has that extra room," Hermione commented. "Right," Harry nodded. "We were talking about turning it into a library..." "I had another idea actually," Hermione said. "Oh yeah?" Harry asked. Hermione smiled. "I was thinking it would make a good nursery." "A nursery?" Harry asked "Why--" he stopped short. "For the baby," Hermione said squeezing his hand. "You're pregnant?" he managed. Hermione nodded. "I found out a couple of days ago." Harry stared at her. "You're pregnant?" Hermione nodded again. Harry suddenly picked her up and whirled her around. Hermione laughed. "Harry!" "Now we have a completely new reason to celebrate," Harry told her. "What's going on, Mummy?" Bella asked. "Guess what, my little maid of honour?" Harry scooped her up. "What?" Bella asked. "You," Harry nuzzled her cheek. "Are going to be a big sister!" Bella looked at him in confusion. "Billy's the same age as me." "No, love." Hermione laughed. "I'm going to have a baby." "Really?" Bella asked excitedly. "By the end of the year," Harry nodded. "Are you having a boy or a girl?" Billy asked. "We don't know yet," Harry told him. "I hope it's a girl," Bella said. "I hope it's a boy," Billy countered. "A girl would be more fun," Bella said. "No way," Billy said. "You'll love the baby if it's a boy or a girl," Harry said. "I guess," Billy replied. "You guess?" Harry asked, setting Bella back down. "Billy?" "It's cool," Billy replied. Harry grinned. "Thanks, son." Billy grinned back at him. "If it is a silly old girl, I'll have to watch out for her too." "Silly old girl?" Bella asked. "Billy!" Billy ducked away, laughing as Bella swiped at him. Hermione looked at Harry. "We're going to have our hands full." "I don't mind," he said with a grin. "Me either," Hermione agreed. "You're not mad that I didn't tell you when I found out, are you? I just---I wanted to give you a special present today." "I'm not mad," Harry shook his head. "It's made this day even more perfect." Hermione grinned. "I know they have their preferences, but what would you like? A boy or a girl?" Harry shook his head. "It doesn't matter. We already have one of each." "You never know," Hermione said. "It could be twins...” "Now THAT would be interesting," Harry said. Hermione linked her arm in his and leaned against him. He always had a way of making her feel safe. She remembered the first night they'd finally been together. It was several months after Harry had adopted Billy and they had dropped him off to play with Bella while the two of them went out to dinner together. *Well, Harry had told Hermione it would be a night out, but he'd surprised her when he'd taken her back to his place. "Nice restaurant," Hermione had quipped.* *"I'll have you know this is the poshest place in* *Johannesburg**," Harry told her.* *Hermione laughed as she followed him into the kitchen. Harry waved his hand and the candles on the table were lit.* *"Show off," she teased.* *"Nothing but the best for my girl," Harry said holding out her chair.* *Hermione smiled at him and sat down.* *"**Champagne**?" Harry asked.* *"That would be lovely," Hermione replied.* *Harry poured them each a glass.* *"It smells wonderful," Hermione said. "Have you been cooking all day?"* *"Yes," Harry said with a grin. "Billy and me."* *"He helped you?" Hermione asked.* *Harry nodded. "He liked being in charge. Kind of reminded me of how you used to boss Ron and me around."* *Hermione laughed. "Is that so?"* *"You aren't going to deny that you used to do it, are you?" Harry teased.* *"Maybe," Hermione shrugged.* *Harry grinned. "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I always thought you looked adorable when you were doing it."* *"Adorable?" Hermione wrinkled her nose.* *"Cute?" Harry corrected.* *"You're getting better," she shrugged.* *Harry stood up. "I'd better serve the salad before you talk about how bad the service here is."* *"Very funny," Hermione told him.* *Harry set a plate of salad before her. He and Billy had fun that afternoon planning everything out. Though, Billy had pointed out, that Harry should take Hermione out for a cheeseburger and chips.* *"Well I have to say, this restaurant is off to a wonderful start," Hermione said.* *"Madame is pleased?" Harry asked.* *"Very," Hermione nodded.* *"You know," Harry pointed out. "This is the first time we've been out where it's just been you and me."* *Hermione nodded. "I love having the kids, though."* *"Me too," Harry agreed.* *"You've been a wonderful father for Billy," Hermione told him.* *Harry smiled. "You really think so? Half the time, I don't know what I'm doing---"* *"You're doing fine," Hermione interrupted him.* *"With lots of help from you," Harry said.* *"That's what I'm there for," Hermione said softly.* *Harry reached across the table and took her hand.* *"This really is lovely," Hermione said. "Better than any restaurant."* *"I'm glad that you like it," Harry said. He had been so patient these last few months. He hadn't pushed her. He'd let her set the pace.* *"You're amazing, you know." Hermione looked at him intently. "I just... I don't know what I would have done without you."* *"I feel the same," Harry said stroking her hand.* *"No," Hermione shook her head. "I just... I'd still be with Damian if it weren't for you. Still thinking that my life is worthless and everything I did was wrong. I'd still be putting Bella in danger."* *"You drove me absolutely crazy with worry, you know that?" Harry asked. "I didn't know why you would stay with him after all that he'd done. If I had known why, I would have---I could have---"* *"I just felt trapped," Hermione looked away from him. "I didn't think I was worth all that trouble you were going to."* *"You're worth everything," Harry said softly.* *Hermione looked back at him, her eyes welling up with tears.* *Harry stood up and held out his hand to her. "Come here."* *Hermione willingly went over to him and he drew her into his arms.* *"I love you," Harry whispered. "I would do anything for you."* *"I love you too," she said softly. "I always have."* *Harry pulled away to look at her. He leaned in and gently kissed her.* *Hermione closed her eyes and gave in to his kiss. He was always gentle when he did this and never rushed her or pushed her into anything.* *Harry deepened the kiss and tried to remind himself not to get too carried away.* *"Harry," she murmured.* *"I-I'm sorry," Harry said quickly. "I didn't---"* *"No," she put a finger to his lips. "I like this..."* *"You do?" Harry asked.* *"Yes," she said softly. "I want more... with you."* *Harry kissed her again.* *She wound her arms around him, pulling him as close to her as she possibly could.* *"Harry?" Hermione asked tentatively.* *"What?" he asked breathlessly.* *"Can we---can we go upstairs?" Hermione asked.* *"What?" he asked, not sure if he'd heard her correctly.* *Hermione bit her bottom lip. "I was thinking---if you want---we could go upstairs..."* *"Are you sure?" he asked her.* *"I've never been more sure," Hermione said softly.* *Harry smiled, taking her hand in his.* *Hermione was nervous. She'd only been with one other man and he hadn't exactly been known for his gentle nature.* *Harry led her to his bedroom. "Sorry," he said sheepishly. "It's a little messy. I wasn't expecting..."* *Hermione smiled endearingly at him as he hurried about trying to straighten things up. "Harry--"* *"I know--" he said, looking over at her. "I shouldn't be such a slob--"* *Hermione stepped closer to him. "It's fine, really."* *He tossed the clothes into the closet and shut the door. "That's better."* *"Now who's being adorable?" Hermione asked.* *"What?" he asked.* *Hermione put her arms around him. "You--you're adorable."* *"Very funny," he said.* *"Your room is fine," Hermione reassured him.* *He smiled crookedly at her.* *Hermione gave him a kiss. "And this is fine..."* *Harry brushed his lips gently over hers. "And this..." he said, winding his arms around her. "This is very, very fine."* *Hermione smiled. "It's perfect."* *Harry gently pulled her over to the bed.* *Hermione shivered when he lifted up her shirt. She still had scars from Damian's abuse.* *"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen," Harry told her. "You take my breath away, Hermione."* *Hermione shook her head. "I'm not--"* *"Yes, you are," he told her.* *Hermione met his gaze. She did feel beautiful when he looked at her.* *"Just tell me if I'm going too fast for you," he told her as they lay back on the bed.* *Hermione nodded wordlessly.* *Harry leaned in and kissed her again, his fingers going to the snap on her bra.* *Already this was quite different from any of the times she'd been with Damian. Harry was so gentle and patient with her.* *He carefully peeled her bra off, and kissed her again.* *Hermione smiled up at him.* *"Still okay?" he whispered.* *"Better than okay," Hermione whispered back. She reached out and touched his chest. She'd wanted to touch him like this for so long.* *Harry grinned down at her.* *Her hands were trembling as she worked on his belt.* *"I've got it," he said.* *"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.* *"It's all right," he assured her.* *Hermione watched as he undid his belt and threw his trousers to the floor.* *She hooked her fingers into her skirt and tugged down on it.* *"I love you," Hermione whispered.* *"I love you too," he said softly. "You, Billy, and Bella are the most important people in the world to me. I can't imagine life without you now."* *"You changed everything," Hermione said. "For all of us."* *He smiled at her.* *He kissed her again and Hermione closed her eyes.* *As much as she hated thinking of Damian, she couldn't help but compare the way Harry was with the way her ex husband had been.* *"No second thoughts?" Harry whispered in her ear.* *"No," she said without hesitation. "Not a one."* *"I would never, ever hurt you," Harry said as he trailed kisses down her shoulder.* *"I know you wouldn't," Hermione said, closing her eyes. The feel of his lips on her skin felt wonderful.* *"I've wanted this for such a long time," Harry said against her skin. "I have absolutely no problem taking my time..."* *Her body trembled under his. "I've wanted you too," Hermione told him.* *He touched her cheek. "I love you."* *"I love you too," she said softly. "Kiss me..."* *Harry did just that as she slowly entered her.* *Hermione felt tears leaking from her eyes. "Harry," she whimpered.* *He kissed her again, holding her close to him.* *"Please..." she said as his lips moved over her neck and down between her breasts.* *"Hermione," Harry whispered as they began to move together.* *"It's never been like this," she said staring up at him.* *"Like what?" He asked softly.* *"Amazing," Hermione whispered.* *Harry smiled. "For me, either."* *Hermione pulled him down to her and kissed him as hard as she could.* *Harry smiled again. She was amazing.* *"Harry," she breathed, her lips still brushing against his.* *"Yes?" Harry asked* *"I need more of you," she said, arching her back so her body pressed against him.* *"Ask and you shall receive," Harry said pressing deeper.* *Hermione let out a loud moan. She was getting more pleasure in this short amount of time from Harry than she ever had in her entire marriage.* *She wrapped her legs around his thighs. This time, it was Harry who moaned. He felt as if he was seeing a little of the old Hermione---the one who knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid of doing what she had to do to get it. Damian Conaghan had been a fool not to realise the wonderful woman she was, but Harry vowed that he would never, ever take her for granted.* *"Harry!" she pressed her face into his neck to muffle her cries.* *"Her-mione," Harry managed. He was feeling a little dazed at the moment.* *She was breathing hard as Harry pushed himself off to her side.* *"Merlin," Harry said breathlessly.* *Hermione nodded, turning on her side to look at him.* *Harry smiled lazily at her.* *"That was incredible," she said softly.* *"You were incredible," Harry said pulling her to him.* *Hermione closed her eyes as Harry gave her a soft kiss. "This is the best night I've ever had."* *"The first night of many," Harry said. "I hope."* *Hermione nodded. "It is."* *Hermione rested her head on his chest. "I never knew it could be like that."* *Harry stroked her hair. "You didn't?"* *"I used to just lie there," Hermione said. "I would think about all these things and just wish that it would be over. But, with you, it was just---perfect. I never wanted it to end."* *"It doesn't have to end," Harry told her. "Not ever."* *"Promise?"* *Hermione whispered.* *"I promise," Harry continued running his hand through her hair.* *"I dreamt about this night," Hermione said.* *"Me too," Harry said.* *"You and me," Hermione said turning to look at him. "After all this time..."* *Harry grinned at her. "Finally."* *Hermione gave him a kiss. "Thank you for waiting."* *"Once I found you, there was no question," Harry told her.* *Hermione thought about how she'd tried to push him away, but he'd never left her; not really. Hermione kissed him again.* *Harry smiled at her when she pulled away. "I still have dinner downstairs."* *Hermione grinned. "I'd forgotten all about it."* *"Billy would be terribly disappointed if we didn't eat," Harry joked.* *Hermione pulled back the covers and reached for Harry's shirt.* *Harry watched her sit up and button it over her nude body. "Are we eating like this?"* *"Why not?"* *Hermione asked with a grin.* *"I don't know how I'm supposed to keep my hands off you," Harry answered mischievously.* *"You'd have to catch me first," Hermione winked at him.* *Harry laughed as she darted from his room.* *"I'm a Seeker, Hermione," Harry called after her.* *"Then prove you've still got it!" she called back.* *Harry laughed and reached for his boxers. He put them on before running out of the room. Downstairs, it was quiet and there was no sign of Hermione. "Granger?"* *Hermione held her breath, trying not to laugh as she crouched next to the armchair.* *"Granger, come on," Harry called out.* *Hermione covered her mouth.* *A slow smile spread across Harry's face and with a pop he disappeared.* *Hermione peeked over the top of the chair. "Harry?" she whispered.* *"Looking for me?" Harry asked, appearing behind her.* *Hermione yelped.* *Harry picked her up. "The kid still has it."* *"You bugger," she laughed.* *"You still love me though," Harry grinned, nuzzling her neck.* *"Of course I do," Hermione said softly.* *He carried her into the kitchen. "And you look beautiful in my shirt, too."* *Hermione grinned at him. "I have to admit you're right."* *He kissed her before setting her down.* *"I have worked up an appetite," Hermione said coyly.* *"Me too," Harry said setting a plate before her. "The debut of Harry and Billy's signature dish---spaghetti."* *"It smells delicious," Hermione said.* *"Tuck in," Harry said.* *Hermione found herself diving into her meal. "This is very, very good!"* *Harry grinned. "Make sure you tell Billy."* *"I will," Hermione promised.* *"To new beginnings," Harry said raising his glass.* *Hermione brushed her glass against his. "To new beginnings and new steps in relationships."* *"Here, here!" Harry said.* *"What's for dessert?" she asked.* *"Chocolate cake, but before you get too excited," Harry said. "I didn't make it. I bought it from the bakery."* *"You'll just have to make it up to me then," Hermione teased.* *"Any ideas?"* *Harry asked.* *"Oh yes," Hermione nodded.* *"I'm getting a few right now," Harry said as he felt Hermione's foot on his leg.* *She grinned at him.* *Harry put his hand on her thigh. "Two can play that game, you know."* *"I know," she said, her lips curving up.* *"Dessert can wait," Harry said pushing back from his chair.* *Hermione's laughter trailed behind them as he picked her up and carried her back into the bedroom.* Hermione laughed. "Bella! Billy! Come on, we're going to the reception!" Bella grinned. "Cake!" "Chocolate cake," Billy added. "With strawberries, right?" "You should remember," Hermione said. "You helped us pick it out." "Oh yeah," Billy said sheepishly. "Let's just hope Ron hasn't snuck a piece or two," Hermione said. "Or six," Harry deadpanned. "He'd better not have!" Bella put her hands on her hips. "What will you do if he did?" Billy asked her. "Daddy said that Uncle Ron is really, really afraid of spiders," Bella said mischievously. Harry laughed. "That he is." Bella whispered something in Billy's ear. "Do you think that would work?" Billy asked. "Probably," Bella replied. "That's so cool!" Billy exclaimed. "You are brilliant!" "What are you two planning?" Hermione asked suspiciously. "Nothing," Bella said hastily. "Isabella," Hermione began. "We're protecting your cake, Mummy," Bella said. "That's all you need to know." Harry laughed. "Duly noted." Bella and Billy ran ahead of the happy couple and Hermione's parents. "I'm so glad you adopted him," Hermione said. "Me too," Harry said. "I'm glad that I was able to give him a home. He changed everything for me." "Well you changed everything for me," Hermione said. "And for Bella. I love hearing her call you Daddy." "I do too," Harry said. "I'm glad...I'm glad that Damian signed away his rights and he has no claim to her now." "He never loved her," Hermione said. "He's a fool," Harry commented. "Yes he is," Hermione agreed. "He had you and Bella and he never realised what an incredible gift that was," Harry said softly. "It doesn't matter now," Hermione said. "That part of my life is finally over." "Our life is just beginning," Harry said softly. "Absolutely," she agreed, smiling at him. Bella and Billy walked into the reception room. "Ladies and gentlemen! And Uncle Ron..." "Hey now," Ron said. Bella giggled. "Billy and I would like to present to you...our mummy and daddy!" Harry squeezed Hermione's hand in his as they entered the room. "Here! Here!" Luna and Ron exclaimed. "The cake is still intact," Hermione said. "I threatened Ron," Luna called out. "Thank you," Harry joked. "I'm right here you know," Ron grumbled. Luna rubbed his arm. "I'm sure once the cake is cut you can have as much as you want." "It is a big cake," Luna said. Molly Weasley came forward and hugged Harry to her in a tight bear hug. "Molly," Harry choked. "I'm so h-happy for all of you," Molly sobbed. "Thanks," Harry said, his face returning to a normal colour once Molly released him. "And you!" Molly exclaimed looking down at Billy. "So handsome!" "Don't pinch my cheeks," Billy muttered. "Billy!" Harry exclaimed. Molly laughed. "It's okay. It's just that he has the cutest set of cheeks in the whole wide world!" "I do not," Billy protested. "Yes you do!" Molly said pinching both of his cheeks. "Adorable!" "Man!" Billy tried to duck away. "And look at the little princess!" Molly gushed, looking at Bella. "Your dress is so pretty, sweetheart!" "Thank you," Bella twirled around. "I hope you don't pinch the new baby's cheeks, too!" Billy said. "New---new baby?" Molly asked. "Oh, Hermione!" "I just found out a few days ago," Hermione said. Molly hugged her. "Congratulations!" "Thank you," Hermione hugged her back. "Thank you so much for everything, Molly." "I'm just glad you're back in our family," Molly said. "Thank you," Hermione said sincerely. "The happy couple should share their first dance," Neville announced. "Can you dance?" Hermione looked at her husband. "Not very well, but you didn't marry me for that, did you?" Harry replied with a grin. "No," she said, laughing. "That's a good thing," Harry said taking her hand. "Come on then." Hermione closed her eyes as Harry circled his arms around her. "How am I doing so far?" Harry whispered in her ear. "Perfect," she whispered. "I love you," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "I love you too," Hermione murmured. "Ron and Luna have agreed to watch the children for us tonight," Harry said as they continued to dance. "Hmmm..." Hermione smiled. "So what have you got planned?" "Well," Harry said. "I booked us a suite at the Palazzo Montecasino." The hotel was the poshest in Johannesburg. Hermione gaped at him. "You did?" "Yes," Harry replied. "And then tomorrow morning, we are going away for a week to St. Lucia. Your mum and dad are going to keep the kids in London while we're gone." "Harry!!" she exclaimed. Harry grinned. "This is my first honeymoon. I might have gone a little overboard." "This will be my second, but I'm sure it will be better," Hermione said. "Absolutely," Harry grinned spinning her around. "That was very smooth," Hermione laughed. "I practised," Harry said. "I can tell," she said. "I had to impress my wife," Harry said. "Wife..." "Wife," she echoed, kissing him. Bella and Billy watched their parents dance. "You know it's going to be a little girl," Bella whispered to him. "A little girl with brown hair like me and Mummy." "No way," Billy said. "A boy with black hair." "I already have a brother," Bella pointed out. "Now, I want a sister." "Well I already have a sister," Billy countered. "I guess a little brother wouldn't be that bad," Bella relented. "If he was like you." "Duh," Billy replied. Bella poked him in the side. "I'll tell Nana Molly to come over here and pinch your cheeks again." "Don't you dare!" Billy said. Bella giggled. "I wouldn't." "You're cool, Bells." Billy said. Bella beamed at him. "So are you." "Maybe later we can dance," Billy said. "I'm not that good.." "I'm not either," Bella admitted. "We'll just have fun," Billy said. Bella nodded. "Yes, we will." "When do you think they'll cut the cake, Luna?" Ron asked. "After they finish their dance," Luna replied. "Oh good," Ron said. Luna gave him a kiss. "That's my Ronald." "Maybe we should get married," Ron said. Luna looked dreamily at him. "Are you proposing?" Ron gulped. "Uh..." "Oh, Ronald!" Luna exclaimed throwing her arms around him. Ron patted her back. "I don't have a ring, Luna..." "That doesn't matter," Luna said happily. "It doesn’t?" he asked. Luna nodded. "We can worry about that later. We're engaged, Ronald! Ron let out a shaky laugh. "Yeah... I guess we are." Luna smiled. "I think we should get married when Mars and Venus are aligned during the next full moon." "When will that be?" Ron asked. "Two weeks," Luna replied. "Two weeks?" Ron almost shouted. Luna nodded. "I know you think it doesn't sound like enough time." "It's just sort of sudden..." Ron began. "But--" "We've been dating for a long time now," Luna pointed out. Ron nodded. "If that's when you want to get married, then let's do it." Luna let out an ear-piercing squeal. "Ronald!" "What's going on?" Neville asked. "Ronald and I are engaged," Luna told him. "Since when?" Neville asked. "Two seconds ago," Ronald replied. "I--I think I need a drink." Neville watched in amusement as Ron headed for the bar. "Guess that was sort of unexpected?" "I saw him asking me at some point," Luna said dreamily. Neville smiled. "Well congratulations." "Thank you," Luna said hugging him. "This has been such a special day!" "For everyone," Neville nodded. "Thanks to you," Luna said smiling at him. "You led them back to each other." "I should have said something sooner," Neville replied. "She asked you not to," Luna said. "You were being a good friend." Neville nodded. "Well... I'm happy it all worked out in the end." "It did," Luna said. Harry and Hermione sat down. "You looked like you were gliding Hermione." "I am," Hermione said dreamily. "Where's Ron?" Harry asked. "Getting a drink," Luna replied. Harry looked over at the bar. "Is he okay? He looks a little pale?" "We just got engaged," Luna explained. Harry chuckled. "That would explain it. Well, congratulations, Luna!" "Thank you," Luna said. "But this is your day." "We're still very happy for you!" Hermione exclaimed. "It's about time!" "I quite agree," Luna twisted a long blonde lock of hair around her finger. Bella and Billy joined them. Harry lifted his son and set him on his lap. "Before you ask, we'll cut the cake in just a moment." "How did you know that's what I was thinking about?" Billy asked. "I think I know my son well enough by now," Harry said mussing Billy's hair. Billy grinned at him. "How are your cheeks, Billy?" Hermione asked. "You can barely see Molly's fingerprints now..." "Don't say anything," Billy pleaded. "I promise," Hermione said smiling at him. Billy relaxed and smiled back at her. Hermione thought about her first wedding. It had been a huge occasion with an expensive dress and at a posh location. She hadn't even known most of the people there. Damian had pulled her around, practically ignoring her yet displaying her like arm candy. This wedding couldn't have been more different. The guest list numbered about thirty with family and friends and colleagues from the school. Hermione's dress was simple, but elegant. And her husband was completely different. Harry couldn't have been more attentive and loving. Hermione put a hand to her stomach. And he was completely over the moon about the baby. "Everything okay?" Harry asked her. "I'm perfect," Hermione said reaching for his hand. "Hungry?" he asked. "Yes," Hermione replied. "And so is the baby." "By all means, let's get you some cake, then." Harry said. Hermione took his hand and together with their children they walked over to the cake. "Are we smashing?" Harry asked jokingly. "Because I don't want to get you all messed up." "No," Hermione said shaking her head. "No smashing. Ron wouldn't want us wasting perfectly good cake." "So let's cut it already," Billy said impatiently. Harry picked up the knife and Hermione put her hand over his as together they cut into the cake. "About bloody time," Ron called. "Shut it, Ron," Hermione retorted. Harry laughed as he put a tiny piece into Hermione's mouth. "Yummy," Hermione said. "And now for my husband..." She did the same for him with a slightly larger piece. Harry leaned in and gave her a kiss. Billy grasped the knife and cut a small sliver for himself and Bella. "Thanks," Bella said. "No fair," Ron said. "Why do they get cake?" "Relax, Ronald." Luna said. "Dinner's coming out now, then we'll all get cake afterwards." "Can't I just have a small piece?" Ron asked. "Bells...cut your Uncle Ron a piece!" "I can't," Bella said. "Billy---" Ron tried. "Only if my mum and dad say its okay," Billy replied. "We'll give him a small slice just to shut him up," Harry said. "Okay," Billy said, laughing. Ron grinned. "Thanks mate." "Honestly," Neville said. "You couldn't wait five minutes?" "I'm choosing to ignore you," Ron said as Billy handed him a plate. "Thanks, Billy." "You're welcome," Billy said. "On a more serious note," Harry said. "I'd like to thank all of you for joining Hermione and me here today. We've both waited a long time for this day and we're glad that the people we care about most in this world were here to share it with us." Hermione nodded. "It took awhile for us to get here but we've finally made it. Please enjoy the day and have some fun!" Hermione was about to follow Harry back to the table when Bella tugged on her arm. "Mummy?" "What is it, love?" Hermione asked. "This is what happy feels like, isn't it?" Bella asked looking up at her mother with wide eyes. Hermione smiled. "Yes it is." Bella gave her a hug. "We don't have to be afraid anymore." "Never again," Hermione promised. "Thanks for keeping me safe," Bella said hugging her tightly. Hermione held her daughter as tightly as she could. "I'd do anything for you, baby." "Everything okay?" Harry asked. "Couldn't be better," Hermione answered.