Here Comes Santa Claus

Amynoelle and Heaven

Rating: G
Genres: Humor
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 7
Published: 17/12/2008
Last Updated: 25/12/2008
Status: Completed

Four-year old Saffron Potter is looking forward to Christmas with her family and the Weasleys. RJ fancies himself too old to believe in Santa, but what will happen when a certain jolly old fellow comes to visit them that night? A reluctant Ethan and a supportive Maddie are along for the ride as their parents plan for the best Christmas ever.

1. Chapter One

Authors’ note: This is our annual Christmas fic! It’s in the Last Dance Universe and takes place when Saffron is four years old; RJ is six years old; Maddie is nine years old and Ethan is 12. We hope you enjoy it! It’s a two-parter and we’ll post the second chapter next Wednesday. Happy Christmas!

Christmas had always been Hermione Potter's favourite time of the year. What she loved most about it was having her family around her and this year was going to be extra special. Because the Burrow was overflowing with guests, the Potters were playing host to Ron's immediate family. Saffron had been over the moon all day about the house being full of her friends, especially her big brother.

Harry had left that morning to pick up her brother from Kings Cross. Saffron had wanted to go, but she'd decided to stay behind to help Greta bake biscuits for their guests.

"And this one is for Ethan," Saffron scooped an especially large mound of biscuit dough onto the sheet.

"You know he's going to be hungry when he comes home," Greta smiled at her young charge.

"I know," Saffron said eagerly. "That's why he gets the biggest one."

"I want the biggest one," RJ Weasley said sauntering into the kitchen. "I'm a guest."

Saffron shook her head. "The biggest is for Ethan."

RJ rolled his eyes.

Greta smiled at the little boy. "Are you getting settled in, RJ?"

RJ nodded.

"Jingle Bells, RJ smells," Saffron sang along gleefully.

"Shut it, Saffron," RJ frowned at her.

Hermione came into the kitchen. She'd snuck in some last minute shopping while Greta watched the children.

"Hi, sweetheart," Hermione said smiling at her daughter who was wearing one of Greta's aprons.

"Hi Mummy," Saffron said happily. "Look at my biscuits!"

"She won't let me have any," RJ grumbled.

"RJ, you can have a few," Hermione reassured him.

"Just not the big one!" Saffron said. "That's for Ethan!"

"Mum!" Ethan called out from the sitting room.

"He's here!" Saffron exclaimed. "Ethan! Ethan, I'm coming!"

Ethan had just hung up his cloak when Saffron barrelled into him.

"Hey, Brat," Ethan laughed. "You smell like cinnamon."

"I made you biscuits!" Saffron said, tugging at his hand.

Ethan gave her a hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Saffron said. "A whole lot!"

"Later, you and I can race in the ballroom," Ethan told his sister.

Harry chuckled. "She's a lot faster, Ethan. You might not win..."

"I even beat Daddy," Saffron told him.

"She cleaned my clock," Harry said picking up his daughter and kissing her on the cheek. "My little baker."

"I made a really big biscuit for Ethan, but I made one for you too," Saffron told him.

Harry hugged her tightly. "That's my girl."

"I'm going to put my stuff upstairs," Ethan said grabbing his bag.

"I'll help you," Saffron said.

"Thanks, Brat," Ethan said handing her a couple of his books.

"Will you read this to me?" Saffron held up his copy of Quidditch through the Ages.

"Sure," Ethan replied with a grin. "So, Dad said the Weasleys were here. It seems awfully quiet..."

"That's cause RJ's begging in the kitchen," Saffron followed him. "Uncle Ron's out with Aunt Luna and Maddie--"

"Let me guess, she's twirling in the garden or trying to rid the mistletoe of Nargles?" Ethan asked

Saffron giggled. "She's reading."

"Oh," Ethan said opening the door to his room. "I didn't even see Drew and Darla on the train. I guess Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna were going to pick them up."

"I think they were taking them shopping," Saffron reported.

Downstairs, Hermione was telling her husband about the things she'd bought.

"Did you get the racing broom for Ethan?" Harry asked her.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, but I can't tell one from the other, Harry. They all looked the same to me."

"I'll check and make sure you got the right one," Harry replied.

"And I managed to get everything on Saffron's list," Hermione told him. "Well, everything, but the puppy."

Harry shook his head. "She's insistent."

Greta smiled. "She even asked if I had a biscuit cutter in the shape of a puppy."

Harry chuckled. "Those biscuits do smell good..."

Unbeknownst to the adults in the room, RJ had heard everything they'd said. He crept out of the kitchen and hurried upstairs to find Saffron to tell her. He'd known there was no such thing as Santa Claus of course, but now he had first hand proof. Santa wasn't going to bring Saffy's presents tomorrow morning. Her parents would.

He heard Saffron and Ethan talking in Ethan's bedroom.

"What are you doing, RJ?" Maddie asked her brother as she came out of her room. She hugged her book to her chest.

RJ grinned. "Just have to have a word with Saffy."

Maddie followed him into Ethan's room. She didn't quite like the look on her younger brother's face. She'd seen it enough these last few years. He was up to something.

"Guess what, Saffron." RJ said gleefully.

"What?" Saffron asked smiling at him.

"There's no San--" RJ began but Maddie reached over and pulled hard on his ear.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley, Junior," Maddie warned him.

"What?" RJ rubbed his ear. "That hurt!"

"I know what you were going to say and I'm warning you not to say it," Maddie hissed.

"No you don't," RJ whined.

Saffron put her hands on her hips. "You better not have eaten Ethan's biscuit, RJ!"

"I didn't," RJ said hastily, ducking away from his sister.

"Hiya, Maddie," Ethan said politely to the younger girl.

The blonde blushed a little. "Hi Ethan. Welcome home."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "Good to be home."

"Come on Ethan," Saffron tugged at his hand. "Come eat your biscuit."

"Okay, okay," Ethan said chuckling. He looked at Maddie and RJ. "You lot coming with us?"

"We'll be right down," Maddie said.

"Okay," Saffron said grabbing Ethan by the arm and leading him out of the room.

"What?" RJ asked looking at his sister innocently.

"Don't you dare tell Saffron there's no Santa," Maddie said, uncharacteristically serious.

RJ raised an eyebrow. "How---how did you know that's what I was going to do?"

"I could tell," Maddie replied. "And you'd better not."

"Fine," RJ relented. "I won't."

"Promise," Maddie said.

"I promise," RJ retorted. "Can I go now? I'm starving."

"Fine," Maddie said.

RJ stalked out of Ethan's room. He might not tell Saffron now, but he'd tell her when his older sister wasn't around.

He headed back downstairs to the kitchen, hoping the biscuits would be ready. He also wanted to see if Ethan had brought his broom home so he could go flying with the older boy.

To his surprise, Drew and Darla were there with Ron and Luna. He hadn't seen his twin sisters since they'd left for Hogwarts in September.

"What did you do to your hair, Drew?" RJ asked. His sister's shoulder-length locks had been cut into a pixie style. "You look like a boy."

"I think it's cute," Drew said defensively.

"I think you look beautiful," Luna said putting an arm around her daughter.

Darla's hair was still long and while she thought her sister's new haircut was cute, she didn't like that they looked different now.

"You could give us a hug, Junior," Drew teased. "You haven't seen us in weeks."

"I guess," RJ replied.

Drew put her arm around him. "You know what they say about bad little boys? You'll get a lump of coal from Santa."

RJ rolled his eyes. "No such thing."

Saffron smiled sweetly. "I'm going to get loads of presents because I've been good this year! Right, Daddy?"

"Absolutely," Harry said, picking her up.

"And I'm leaving Santa lots and lots of biscuits!" Saffron exclaimed. "With a glass of pumpkin juice!"

"And I'm sure he'll enjoy them," Harry kissed her cheek. "Especially when he finds out YOU made them."

Saffron beamed at him. "Really?"

"Definitely," Harry replied.

Luna looked at her youngest son. "What's wrong, love?"

"Nothing," RJ grumbled.

"The biscuits will be ready soon," Luna said.

"I want to go flying," RJ said.

"Me too," Ethan agreed.

"Cool!" RJ exclaimed. "Let's go!"

"Bundle up!" Hermione called out. "It's freezing out, Ethan and it's snowing!"

"I want to go!" Saffron cried. "Ethan, take me!"

"Not this time," Ethan told her. "Maybe later."

"Why?" Saffron asked.

"I want to go really fast and I can't with you on there with me," Ethan said.

"Yeah," RJ nodded excitedly. "I want to go as fast as I can."

"But---" Saffron started to protest, but the two boys ignored her as they ran out of the kitchen.

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "I'M NOT MAKING YOU ANY MORE BISCUITS!" she yelled at them.

Hermione knelt down and put her arms around her daughter. "It's okay, love."

Saffron sniffled.

Harry knelt down too. "You know...I actually need a partner. Your Uncle Ron challenged me to a match and he's pretty good. I bet I could beat him if I had someone really great to fly with. Do you know of anyone that might want to fly with me?"

Saffron hiccupped and raised her little hand.

Ron shook his head. "There's no way the two of you can beat me? I mean, have you seen me fly?"

"Badly," Harry cracked.

Ron punched him on the shoulder. "Funny, Potter."

"We'll fly really good, Daddy." Saffron wiped her eyes.

"You bet we will," Harry grinned at her.

"Harry," Hermione said uncertainly. "It's really cold out---"

"I'll bundle her up," Harry said. "She'll be fine, Hermione."

"Daddy, you can have Ethan's biscuit," Saffron said giving him a hug.

Harry chuckled. "Maybe later, baby."

Saffron followed him to the hall closet. Her father helped her into her cloak. "Let's not forget your mittens."

Saffron shook her head. "I don't want my hands to get cold!"

"Me either," Harry said helping her with them. "All nice and toasty."

"Do you think Santa might bring me new ones?" Saffron asked hopefully. "Red with white snowflakes?"

"He just might," Harry grinned. "They were on your list."

"I hope so," Saffron said fervently.

Harry handed her the broom. "Would the lady like to do the honours?"

Saffron carefully carried her father's broom outside.

Saffron heard the muffled sound of RJ and Ethan's laughter. Stupid brother, she thought to herself.

"Come on Daddy," she said. "We'll fly higher and faster than them!"

"Yes, we will," Harry grinned. "You just remember to hold on tight, okay?"

Saffron nodded happily.

Harry helped her mount the broom and then he got on behind her. Saffron laughed gleefully when they took to the air.

Harry grinned. Her laughter was one of his most favourite sounds in the world.

"You having fun, baby girl?" Harry called out.

"Yes, Daddy!" Saffron replied, giggling.

"Let's show Ron how to fly," Harry said putting his hands over Saffron's.

"Okay," Saffron said, leaning forward.

Although his daughter was four, Harry thought Saffron was on her way to being a great flyer. She had a great sense of direction and she seemed to have no fear when she was on a broom.

"Up!" Saffron shouted, pulling the handle with all her strength.

Ron waved in their direction.

Harry waved back with a grin. He and Saffron flew around for a bit before playing a quick pickup match with Ron. Saffron went back into the house glowing and beaming from ear to ear.

She was even happier when she saw that her older sister had arrived. "Julie!"

"Hi Saffy!" Julie exclaimed.

"Daddy and I went flying!" Saffron announced, giving her sister a big hug.

"I can tell," Julie kissed her sister's cold cheek.

"Ethan's being mean," Saffron told her while Julie helped her out of her cloak and mittens.

"He is?" Julie asked. "What did he do?"

Saffron told her about Ethan refusing to take her flying. "And I---I made him biscuits!"

"Well you're right, that's not very nice." Julie said. "Let's get back at him!"

Saffron grinned. "Okay!"

"Let's put a lump of coal in his stocking," Julie whispered to her.

Saffron giggled.

Julie found an old quill and transfigured it into a piece of coal. She and Saffron tiptoed into the sitting room.

"Ethan's a big stupid head," Saffron whispered.

"A lot of boys are," Julie nodded, looking over the row of stockings.

"Where's Nick?" Saffron asked.

"He's around here," Julie said, slipping the coal into Ethan's stocking.

"Let's go and get a biscuit," Saffron said tugging on her sister's hand.

"Okay," Julie agreed. "I can't wait to try yours!"

Saffron was still grinning from ear to ear when she and Julie entered the kitchen. Nick was catching up with Greta and he grinned when he saw Saffron. "Jules and I saw a little flash of red in the sky when we arrived. I heard it was you."

"Daddy and I flew really fast!" Saffron held her arms up to Nick.

Nick picked her up. "Does your mum know that?"

"I don't know," Saffron said.

Nick grinned. "I won't tell her."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Eat my biscuits, Nick!"

Greta held out the plate. "She worked really hard on these."

"They smell delicious," Nick said.

Saffron beamed at him.

"And they taste even better," Nick said. "Good job, Saffy."

RJ and Ethan came into the kitchen, there cheeks red from the cold. "Greta, let me have one of those," Ethan said reaching for one of the biscuits.

"No!" Saffron shouted. "You can't have any now!"

"Saf, come on," Ethan protested.

"You're mean," Saffron said.

"You were," Julie agreed.

Ethan glared at her. "Jules, you weren't even here."

"She told me all about it," Julie told him.

RJ folded his arms. "She's just being a brat."

"Well you're a big stupid head," Saffron retorted.

"Better that than a brat," RJ retorted.

"Okay," Greta said. "That's enough of that."

RJ knew he had the perfect opportunity to get back at her. "Well, guess what Saffron? Santa Claus isn't real. He's your mum and dad. They're the ones who buy your presents and they're the ones who leave them under the tree!"

"RJ!" Greta exclaimed.

"HE IS TOO REAL!" Saffron shouted at him.

"Nuh uh," RJ said gleefully.

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes. "Is too!"

"Of course he's real," Greta assured her. "You know he's definitely coming by just for your biscuits."

Saffron looked up at her nanny. "R-really?"

"Absolutely," Greta gave both Ethan and RJ a look. "Right?"

"Right," Ethan said. He thought his sister was overreacting, but he didn't think RJ was right to tell her Santa wasn't real. He knew how much it meant to her.

"Really?" Saffron asked her brother.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, of course."

Saffron gave her brother a tight hug. "You can have the big biscuit."

Ethan laughed. "Thanks, Saf."

"What about me?" RJ whined.

"No!" Saffron retorted before stalking out of the kitchen. She had a lot of things to plan. For one thing, she wasn't going to go to sleep tonight. She was going to stay up the entire night so she could see Santa for herself.

She went into the sitting room and looked happily at the tree. She and her parents had decorated it together a few weeks ago and her father had even helped her hang the star on the top.

She smiled as she remembered telling her parents everything she'd put on her list.

"And they said Santa would bring it all," she said in satisfaction.

Saffron smiled at the Santa ornament on the tree. "I'm going to meet you tonight."

"What are you up to, baby?" Hermione came into the room.

"Looking at the tree," Saffron replied.

"We did a great job didn't we?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nodded. "Mummy? Can I sleep down here tonight?"

Hermione smiled. "Are you going to wait up for Santa?"

Saffron nodded. "And I need your cam'ra."

"I'm sure that can be arranged," Hermione kissed her daughter's cheek.

"RJ said he wasn't real," Saffron said softly.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"He was being m-mean," Saffron said. "And he said that Santa was you and Daddy. But, I know that's not true!"

"Of course that's not true," Hermione reassured her.

Saffron hugged her mother and Hermione picked her up and carried her over to the sofa. Saffron rested her head on her mother's shoulder and closed her eyes.

"I have a feeling you're going to get everything you wanted this year," Hermione told her.

"Even my puppy?" Saffron asked sleepily.

"I don't know about the puppy," Hermione said. "That's a big responsibility."

Saffron didn't answer as she'd fallen asleep.

Hermione sat back with her daughter. She decided to let her sleep for now, since she knew Saffron would be awake half the night.

"Sleep, my sweet girl," Hermione whispered.

Harry came into the sitting room. "Did she finally crash?"

Hermione nodded. "She wants to stay up tonight."

"So does that mean we'll have to come up with a Santa?" Harry whispered.

Hermione looked down at her sleeping daughter. She was four years old and Hermione wanted her to believe as long as she possibly could. "Yes."

Harry nodded. "I'll see if Ron will do it- if not, then I will."

"How was your flying?" Hermione said smiling at her husband.

"Great," Harry said. "She loves it up there."

"And so do you," Hermione said softly.

Harry nodded. "I do."

Harry sat down beside his wife and daughter. "I guess it's going to be a long night."

"Maybe," Hermione said. "RJ went and told Saffron there was no Santa."

Harry sighed.

Hermione nodded. "That’s why we need one."

Harry grinned. "All we have to do is tell Ron there's biscuits involved and I’m sure he'll be in."

Hermione laughed. "You'd better get a move on. You need to find a suit."

"Right," Harry said leaning in and kissing his wife. "I'll be back before dinner."

"Okay," Hermione said. "Good luck."

Harry gave her a lazy grin. "I don't need luck. I'm Harry Potter, remember?"

"How could I forget?" Hermione asked, rolling her eyes but grinning.

Harry gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek. "Happy Christmas, baby."

Saffron yawned but didn't wake up.

Dinner that evening went by without incident. RJ and Saffron weren't speaking to each other.

RJ knew better than to bring up Santa Claus again, but was still angry at Saffron for earlier.

Saffron looked at Ethan. "Will you stay up with me?"

"Stay up for what?" Ethan asked.

"To see Santa," Saffron told him.

Ethan shook his head. "Saf, it's been a long day. I'm knackered."

"Please?" Saffron asked.

Ethan shook his head.

"I'll stay up with you," Maddie replied. "I'd like to meet Santa. Thank him for all that he's given us."

"Yay!" Saffron said happily.

Luna smiled. "That's very sweet of you, Maddie."

"RJ will stay up with us as well," Maddie said.

RJ shook his head. "Why? It's just going to be a waste of----OW!"

"RJ will be happy to stay up with us," Maddie said, giving him a look.

"So will Ethan," Hermione said levelling her gaze at her only son.

"What?" Ethan asked. "Come on--"

"Ethan James," Hermione warned.

"Fine..." Ethan grumbled.

"Then it's settled," Hermione said. "We'll set up some blankets and things in the sitting room by the tree."

"Like a fort," Saffron said.

"Ethan and I can build it," Maddie said to Hermione. "We've done it before."

Ethan turned red. "Yeah, that could be cool."

"Ethan, you can show Maddie where we keep the extra linens," Hermione said.

"After dessert," Ethan replied.

"Of course," Maddie said chancing a smile at him.

Ethan half smiled back.

"I hope you've all got room for dessert," Greta announced bringing a tray of pies into the dining room.

"I'll take a whole one," Ron said.

"He'll start with a slice," Luna said. "Ronald, there are other people here."

"Come on--" Ron began.

"It's alright, Luna," Greta smiled. "I came prepared. I have a chocolate meringue just for Mr. Weasley."

"This is why I love you, Greta," Ron said.

Greta set a pie and a fork down in front of him. "Saffy helped me."

"Just for you Uncle Ron," Saffron said proudly.

Ron smiled at the little girl. He was happy to help Harry and Hermione out with their little plan for tonight. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"Is it good?" Saffron asked eagerly.

Ron took a big bite. He gave her the thumbs up sign. "Saffy, it's the best. Don't tell my mum though."

Saffron grinned.

RJ nudged his father. "Dad, I don't have to stay up, do I?"

"Why wouldn't you want to?" Ron asked.

"Because there's no such thing as Santa Clause," RJ whispered. "Josh told me."

"Your brother shouldn't have lied to you," Ron said quickly.

"Dad--" RJ started to protest.

"You'll see, tonight." Ron told him.

"Yeah, right," RJ grumbled helping himself to a bite of his pie.

2. Chapter Two

Authors’ note: Happy Christmas to all of you! We appreciate you all taking the time to read our story. We hope you have a great holiday and that you enjoy the last part of this little ficlet. Happy Christmas!

After everyone had eaten their share of dessert Ethan took Maddie to the linen closet. "Here's all the extra sheets and stuff."

"It's not going to be so bad," Maddie tried to reassure him. "And it will mean a lot to Saffy."

"Yeah I know," Ethan said. "I don't mind doing it for her."

Maddie grabbed some extra pillows. "She was very excited all day about you coming home."

Ethan smiled. "I couldn't wait to see her. Don't ever tell her, but she's a fun little sister to have."

Maddie smiled back at him. "You know you could tell her that every now and again."

"Nah," Ethan said.

"She thinks you hung the moon," Maddie said as Ethan grabbed some blankets.

"Maybe I did," Ethan joked.

Maddie smiled at him. There was a time that she thought the same about him. As time had gone on, she'd forgotten about her little crush.

"Come on," he said. "Let's get this fort built."

Maddie nodded. "For the queen."

"Right," Ethan said.

Maddie set the pillows on one of the sofas. She missed spending Christmas at the Burrow, but she liked being here. Besides, it wasn't the place that you remembered, but the people you spent it with.

It didn't take Ethan and Maddie long to construct a decent looking fort made of blankets.

"This looks great," Darla commented. She and Drew were on their way upstairs. "You guys make a great team."

Maddie blushed. "We do?"

Darla winked at her sister. "You do."

Ethan kicked at a pillow. "It's just a fort..."

"I'm going to go upstairs and change," Maddie said hastily.

"Hey Saf!" Ethan hollered. "Come in here!"

Saffron had been upstairs with her mother changing into her pyjamas. She was holding her mother's hand as she entered the sitting room. Her eyes grew wide as she took in everything.

"What do you think?" Ethan asked.

"I love it," Saffron whispered.

"Good job," Hermione put a hand on her son's shoulder. "You and Maddie did a great job."

Ethan grinned. "We did, didn't we?"

Saffron excitedly crawled under the tent. "I want to sleep here!"

Ethan laughed and peered inside. "I thought you weren't going to sleep at all, brat."

"Oh yeah," Saffron said impishly.

"Saf?" Ethan asked. "I'm sorry about earlier. I should have taken you up there with me."

"It's okay," Saffron said.

"Come here, brat," Ethan said.

Saffron crawled out from under the tent and hugged her brother tightly.

"So what are you going to say to Santa?" Ethan asked her.

"Thank you for my puppy," Saffron said promptly.

"Saf, you might not get a puppy," Ethan reminded her.

"But I've been good," Saffron replied.

"He doesn't always give you everything you want," Ethan said. "But just remember there's always next year."

"I guess," Saffron said.

Harry came into the sitting room with a tray of biscuits and milk. He grinned when he saw Maddie and Ethan's work on the fort. "This looks great.'

"I get to sleep in it, after Santa comes," Saffron told her father.

"Well," Harry said setting the tray aside and picking her up. "You make sure you tell Santa how great your Dad was this year. I didn't get in trouble too much, did I?"

Saffron shook her head.

Harry grinned. "I love you, baby girl."

"I love you too," Saffron kissed his cheek.

Hermione gave Ethan a hug. "Happy Christmas, Ethan. I love you."

"Love you too, mum." Ethan replied.

Hermione walked over to Harry and Saffron. "You promise to be nice to RJ tonight?" Hermione asked her.

"If he's not a big stupid head," Saffron said.

Hermione stifled a laugh. "Fair enough. Happy Christmas, sweetheart and we'll see you in the morning."

"Okay," Saffron said with an excited grin.

Hermione hugged her. "That's my girl."

Saffron grabbed a pillow and made sure the plate of biscuits were right where she left them before crawling under the blanket tent.

"You know," Ethan said. "I hope Santa brings me that racing broom I want."

"I bet he will," Saffron poked her little head out.

Ethan tugged on her ponytail. "Where are Maddie and RJ?"

"Getting ready," she answered.

"So," Ethan said. "You said you wanted a puppy and new gloves, but what else?"

"A doll," Saffron said.

"What kind of doll?" Ethan asked.

"One that talks," Saffron said.

Ethan tickled her side. "I hope she doesn't talk as much as you!"

"Ethan!" Saffron squealed.

Maddie and RJ were walking downstairs after RJ had a stern talk with his parents. They'd lectured him about being nice to Saffron and remembering that he was a guest in someone else's home.

"You better remember what they said," Maddie told him.

"Yeah, yeah," RJ grumbled.

"You just might be surprised tonight," Maddie said. She knew there was no such thing as Santa, but she knew Saffron believed and would never ruin it for the little girl.

RJ rolled his eyes. But, even he had to admit the fort that Maddie and Ethan had set out was pretty cool.

"RJ," Saffron said, remembering her promise. "You can come in here!"

RJ crawled inside followed by Maddie.

"This is so much fun," Saffron said. "And we can even see when Santa comes down the chimney."

Ron and Luna heard this from the perch at the top of the stairs. Ron looked horrified at the prospect. "Down the chimney?" Ron hissed.

"Relax, Ronald." Luna said. "You can just Apparate in front of the fireplace."

"No one told me about going down the chimney," Ron said. "There's---there could be---spiders in there."

"You don't have to," Luna reassured him.

"Quit being such a baby," Harry said coming up behind him.

"You're not the one who--" Ron began hotly.

Luna put her hand over her husband's mouth. "Let's just remember why we're doing this, okay?"

"I know," Ron said. "I'm just not going down the chimney."

"And you should remember that Ron is doing us all a big favour," Hermione said to her husband. "He didn't have to do this."

"I know," Harry replied.

"Just think of the biscuits you'll get to eat," Luna said smiling at her husband.

Ron brightened. "That's true!"

"And how much this will mean to Saffy and RJ," Luna said.

"I'll still do it," Ron said. "But no chimney."

"That's fair," Hermione said. "Thank you, Ron."

"I'd better get myself ready," Ron said.

"Ooooh," Luna said. "I can help."

"And you'd better not take the mickey--" Ron began, looking at Harry.

"I'll see to it personally that he doesn't," Hermione said looking at Harry.

"Thank you," he said, disappearing into one of the guest rooms with Luna.

"I can't make one little remark?" Harry asked Hermione. "Come on..."

"Harry James..." Hermione began.

"Okay," Harry said holding up his hand. "Not one word other than thank you."

"Good," Hermione gave him a kiss. "Let’s get the presents."

"Right," Harry said.

Downstairs Saffron was already trying to fight off sleep.

"Let's play Exploding Snap," Ethan said to Maddie. "You and RJ against Saffy and me."

"Okay," Maddie agreed.

"Maddie and I are going to beat you," RJ said cockily.

"No way," Saffron said.

RJ grabbed the cards. "You're four, Saf."

"So?" she asked.

"She's good," Ethan said. "She's beaten me before."

"Yeah right," RJ said.

"I have," Saffron said angrily.

"We'll see," RJ smirked.

Saffron laid her first card down.

"That's a good one," Maddie encouraged.

RJ nudged his sister. "Maddie, we're playing against them!"

"RJ it's a good card," Maddie said. "And it's just a friendly game."

RJ rolled his eyes and set his card down.

Ethan also tossed one down and waited for Maddie to take her turn.

Maddie studied her cards for a moment. "Here..."

She threw one down and all the cards immediately exploded.

RJ pumped his fist in triumph. "Yes!!"

"No," Saffron said in dismay.

"Good one, Maddie," Ethan said.

"Thank you," she said. "Um... Saffron. You get to go again."

"She gets to lose again," RJ said gleefully.

"RJ," Maddie sent him a warning look.

"Sorry," RJ grumbled. "Go ahead, Saffy."

Saffron picked another card and threw it down.

"Good play, Saffy," Ethan said setting down his own card on top of the stack.

Saffron beamed and was about to say something when they heard a scuffling near the chimney.

"Who could that be?" Maddie asked innocently.

"Santa!" Saffron scrambled up. "Santa's here!"

"Ho! Ho! Ho!" someone bellowed form outside the tent.

Ethan and Maddie both turned to look at RJ, who had gone pale.

Saffron peeked out of the tent and saw Santa Claus picking up a biscuit from the plate.

"Santa!" Saffron exclaimed. "It really is you!"

Ron turned to her. "Hello there, Saffron Grace!"

Saffron's eyes grew large. He knew her name! "Happy Christmas, Santa!"

"Happy Christmas!" Ron exclaimed. "I heard you've been a good girl this year!"

"She has," Ethan said as he, RJ, and Maddie crawled out of the tent.

"Wow," RJ gazed at the tall figure in front of him. "You... you're... you're Santa!"

Ron chuckled and patted RJ on the top of the head. "Ronald Junior, I heard you've been a good boy this year, for the most part..."

RJ nodded. "I have..."

"And you, Madeline," Ron said shaking Maddie's hand. "I know you've had a tough time here because you hated leaving your pixie at home..."

Maddie nodded. "She misses me a lot."

"I've left a special present for her," Ron said motioning to the tree.

"You did?" Maddie asked. "Thank you Santa!"

Ron reached for another biscuit. "These are delicious. Best ones of the night."

Saffron beamed. "I knew you'd love them!"

"He's---that's really Santa," RJ said in awe.

"I told you," Saffron said triumphantly. "I told you he was real!"

Ron chuckled and looked at his youngest son. "Did you not believe in me, Ronald Junior?"

RJ shook his head. "I'm sorry..."

"He still gets to have his presents though, right?" Saffron asked on RJ's behalf.

Ron laughed. "What do you think, Saffron? Does he deserve them?"

Saffron looked over at RJ and thought this over for a moment. She nodded. "He's good most of the time."

RJ smiled gratefully at her.

"Ho! Ho! Ho!" Ron exclaimed, patting his stomach.

"Santa, don't forget to drink your milk!" Saffron told him.

"Right," Ron said picking up the glass.

"Santa, did you bring me a puppy?" Saffron asked.

Ron nearly choked on his milk. "W-what?"

"I really wanted a puppy and it was at the top of my list," Saffron said.

"Oh--well, um, well," Ron stammered. He was going to kill Harry and Hermione for not warning him about this.

Saffron deflated a bit as Santa began unpacking his large sack of toys.

Maddie put her arm around the younger girl. "You know, Saffy. Santa can't really bring puppies. They're, um, they're really scared of flying and Santa is so busy bringing toys and things to everyone that he wouldn't really be able to watch out for puppies or kittens. Isn't that right, Santa?"

"You're a very smart girl, Madeline," Ron said in relief.

"I get that from my dad," Maddie said smiling at him.

"I guess its okay then, Santa." Saffron replied. "You brought me a lot!"

"Just remember, you lot," Ron said looking at the four of them. "You have to wait to open the presents tomorrow morning."

"We know," Ethan nodded.

Ron grabbed another biscuit from the plate. "Well, I must be off. Other children to visit..."

Saffron ran forward and gave him a hug.

Ethan grabbed the camera and snapped a photo of them.

"Thank you," Saffron looked up at him.

"You're quite welcome," Ron said tugging on her ponytail. He then looked over at RJ. "What is it, son?"

"Son?" RJ asked.

Ron chuckled. "What is it, Ronald Junior?"

"I'm sorry I didn't believe in you," RJ said, red faced.

"It's okay," Ron said kneeling down and giving the boy a hug. "You're a good kid."

"Most of the time," Ethan teased.

Ron laughed. "Well, good night to you all and please get some sleep. You all have a big day tomorrow."

"Good night, Santa." Maddie smiled at him. There was something very familiar about the blue eyes that winked at her.

"Good night," Ron said picking up his sack. "Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas!" Saffron bounced up and down.

Ethan laughed. "Good night, Santa."

Ron stepped back into the fireplace and used his wand to Apparate himself back upstairs.

"That was so cool!" Saffron exclaimed throwing her arms around Ethan.

Ethan hugged his baby sister. "It sure was, Saf!"

Maddie looked at her brother who still seemed gob smacked. "RJ?"

"Yeah?" he asked dazedly.

Maddie giggled. "Are you okay?"

"I think so," RJ looked at the fireplace.

Maddie smiled. "Come on. I think we should get some sleep."

Saffron crawled back into the fort. "We got to meet Santa!"

"Yeah, we did," Ethan followed her.

"I can't wait to tell Mummy and Daddy," Saffron said eagerly.

"Me too," RJ said shaking his head. "And Josh...He was the one who told me Santa wasn't real."

"He shouldn't have told you," Maddie said.

"He's a big stupid head," RJ said causing Saffron to laugh.

"He is a big stupid head," Saffron said, giggling.

"We can tell him all about it tomorrow," Maddie said lying down.

"Definitely," Saffron said.

"Good night, Ethan," Saffron said happily.

"Night, Brat." Ethan said affectionately.

"Good night, Ethan," Maddie said smiling at him.

He grinned back. "What a night, eh?"

Maddie nodded. "I've never seen Saffy so happy."

"Imagine if she'd gotten a dog," Ethan whispered/

Maddie laughed. "She'd be jumping for joy."

"Maybe next year," Saffron mumbled sleepily.

RJ laughed. "You should have asked him to leave one of his reindeer for you, Saf."

"Do you think it's too late?" Saffron raised her head.

"Yes," Ethan said laughing. "He's long gone now."

Saffron pouted. "Okay..."

Ethan laughed even harder. "Could you imagine the look on Mum and Dad's face if they came down here to find a reindeer?"

Maddie giggled. "It would be pretty funny."

"I could see the look on Dad's face," RJ said. "Imagine taking him home to play with Dolly?"

"I don't think Dolly would like a reindeer," Maddie replied. "Too big for her."

Ethan nudged Maddie. "I just had a vision of Dolly riding the reindeer..."

Maddie began to giggle.

Saffron joined in. "That would be funny!”

"Bring it up tomorrow, Saf." Ethan told her.

"I will," Saffron promised.

He yawned. "Good night everyone."

The next morning, all four of them were still asleep when everyone started making their way downstairs. Harry, Hermione and Ron and Luna pulled back the sheet and peered into the fort at the sleeping children.

"Good morning..." Hermione nudged her sleeping son.

"Five more minutes," Ethan mumbled.

"Come on, its Christmas morning," Hermione said.

Harry gently shook Saffron. "Good morning, sleeping beauty."

Saffron's eyes blinked open. "Hi Daddy."

"Hi, baby," Harry said. "Happy Christmas."

"DADDY!" Saffron squealed. "I saw Santa last night!"

Harry laughed. "You did?"

Saffron scrambled up. "I saw him!"

"She did," RJ said rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "We all did, Uncle Harry."

"You don't say," Harry replied. "I see he ate all his biscuits."

Ron grinned. "What was he like, Saffy?"

"He was really nice," Saffron said. "He had lots of presents and he told me we had the best biscuits!"

Maddie looked at her father. "He was the best."

Ron grinned. "So you all stayed up to meet him?"

RJ nodded. "Yeah, he was pretty cool, even if he didn't leave Saf a puppy."

"Daddy maybe he can bring me a reindeer," Saffron tried.

"A reindeer?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded. "Instead of a puppy?"

"Um, Saffy, a reindeer probably wouldn't be that great of a pet," Harry argued. "I'm going to ask Julie to help me read about them," Saffron said. "Then we'll see."

Ethan hid a grin. "Good idea, Saf."

"So, are you lot going to just sit here or are you going to see what the jolly old man left you?" Ron asked.

"Yeah!" RJ said, nearly taking down the fort as he jumped out.

"RJ!" Maddie protested.

"Sorry," RJ skidded to a stop in front of the tree.

Ethan gasped and looked at his father. "Dad--that's my broom! That's the one I wanted!"

Harry grinned at him.

"Ethan, it's so cool!" Saffron exclaimed.

"We'll go for a ride later," Ethan promised. "Just us."

Saffron beamed at him. "Really?"

"Promise," Ethan told her.

"You're the best, Ethan," Saffron said giving him a hug.

"Come on Saffy," Hermione had taken the camera. "Open up your gifts!"

Saffron hurried over to her stack of presents. She decided to open the biggest one first. "My doll house!"

"Wow, Saffy." Darla said. "That's pretty cool!"

Saffron turned to smile at her, but her smile grew even wider when she saw who had joined their group. "Gran! Grandpa!"

"Hello, love." Robert opened his arms up.

Saffron ran toward him and he scooped her up. "How's my Saffron Grace this Christmas morning?"

"Guess what!" Saffron said. "I saw SANTA!"

Ethan came over to hug his grandmother. "We did, Gran. It was pretty cool. Saf didn't get her puppy though."

"Maybe a reindeer instead," Saffron said mischievously.

"A reindeer?" Elinore asked.

Ethan laughed. "That's our joke."

"Dad, you and Mum come and sit down," Hermione said. "You can watch the kids open their presents."

RJ opened one and smiled. It was a camera. He had never really taken photographs before, but he thought it might be a cool hobby to start. "Mum, look at this!"

"What a nice camera!" Luna exclaimed.

"I can't wait to show Grandpa Ernie," RJ said holding it up for everyone else to see.

"He's going to be after you to work at the paper," Luna teased.

RJ laughed. "Just like you, Mum."

Luna put an arm around her son and hugged him to her.

"Maybe you can show me how to use it later," RJ said.

"I'd be happy to," Luna promised.

"Look, Daddy!" Saffron exclaimed. "My gloves!"

"Are those what you wanted?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded. "Santa always knows, Daddy!"

"He sure does," Harry said.

Maddie sat down beside Drew. Drew put her arm around her sister. "So, little sister, how was your night with Ethan?"

"It was fun," Maddie said. "It was REALLY cool when Santa came..."

"Oh yeah?" Drew asked.

"But he seemed really familiar..." Maddie watched as her father retrieved presents from under the tree.

Maddie stood up and walked over to he father and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and Maddie flung her arms around him. "What's this for?" Ron asked, patting her back.

"Just a thank you," Maddie said, noticing his eyes twinkled just like Santa's had the night before.

Ron smiled. "Happy Christmas, Madeline."

"You too," Maddie gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Maddie," RJ said. "This one has your name on it..."

"Ooooh," Maddie said. "Thanks RJ."

Maddie slowly unwrapped the present and smiled when she saw that it was the silver hair clips she'd wanted. "Those belonged to my mother," Luna said softly.

"They were Gran’s?" Maddie asked.

Luna nodded. "My father gave them to me and now I'm giving them to you. You know how he always said that you reminded him so much of her."

"Thank you," Maddie hugged her tightly. "I'll take really, really good care of them."

"Those are gorgeous," Drew said admiring them.

Maddie looked at them for a long moment. "I can't wait to wear these."

"You have the prettiest hair," Saffron said. "Like a doll's."

"Thanks Saffy," Maddie said, twisting a blonde lock around her finger.

"She does," Ethan said absently as he opened up a broom cleaning servicing kit.

Maddie blushed. "Thanks Ethan," she said softly.

Ethan blushed, too, when he realised he had said that aloud.

Saffron giggled. "Ethan, open my present now!" she said, taking the attention off him.

Ethan set aside the kit and picked up the present from Saffron. "What'd you get me, brat?"

It had taken Saffron a month to save up some money to buy her brother a subscription to Quidditch Weekly and she hoped he would like it.

Ethan opened up the package and smiled. He knew that his mother had helped Saffron write the letter. "This is a one-year subscription to Quidditch Weekly for Ethan James Potter courtesy of his little sister, Saffron Grace Potter," Ethan read aloud.

Saffron bounced on the sofa. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," Ethan said grinning at her. "Thanks, Brat."

"Good," Saffron beamed at him.

"I got you something too," Ethan said.

"Where?" Saffron asked eagerly.

"It's the green one with the silver bow," Ethan said.

Saffron grabbed for it and tore off the wrapping.

"Ethan!" Saffron squealed.

She held up the hooded sweatshirt from her favourite Quidditch team, Puddlemere. "Thank you!"

Ethan grinned. "I got Julie a matching one."

"Thanks, E," Julie said. "You're not so bad for a little brother."

Ethan scoffed. "Of course I’m not."

"Best Christmas Ever!" Saffron squealed throwing her arms around her mother.

Hermione laughed. "Yes it is, baby. And Christmases get better every year."

"Even without a puppy," Saffron grinned.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm sure you'll get your puppy someday, Saffron."

"Promise?" Saffron asked.

Hermione nodded. "I promise someday, you will get your puppy."

Saffron gave her another hug. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too," Hermione kissed the side of her head.

Harry looked at Ron. "You know I think I owe you a big thank you."

"You do," Ron replied.

"Thanks mate," Harry said shaking his hand. "It meant the world to Saffron. I'm sorry for giving you a hard time last night."

"I'm used to it," Ron replied.

"You're a good man," Harry said. "A great friend and a fantastic father."

"Thank you," Ron grinned at him. "I appreciate that."

Harry grinned. "Did you ever think in a million years we'd be here?"

"No," Ron said.

"Me either," Harry said.

"Daddy," Saffron came over and tugged on his hand. "Santa brought you something too! Come see!"

"He did?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded.

Harry followed her over to the tree. "Which one is it, baby?"

"Here," Saffron pointed to a box.

Harry picked it up and carried it over to the sofa.

He didn't remember putting this one into Ron's bag and wondered if Hermione had somehow snuck it under the tree. He tore off the wrapping and opened the box. "A stuffed rabbit?" he asked, looking up at Ron who nearly doubled over in laughter.

"Awwww, he's so cute, Daddy!" Saffron exclaimed.

"That's hilarious, Ron." Harry said. "Really... very funny." he handed the stuffed animal to his daughter.

"What are you looking at me for?" Ron asked innocently. "That was from Santa Claus."

"Sure," Harry shook his head.

"Daddy, don't you want him?" Saffron asked.

"He's all yours, baby." Harry told her.

"You could call him Harry," Ron suggested.

"Okay," Saffron nodded. "I think he kind of looks like you, Daddy."

Ron stifled a laugh.

"Yeah, yeah..." Harry glared at Ron for a moment.

"He has glasses," Saffron pointed out.

"And green eyes," Ron pointed out helpfully.

"I'm going to call him Daddy, the Rabbit King," Saffron announced.

Hermione, Luna and Ron all fell over in laughter.

"You don't have to," Harry said ignoring them.

"But I want to," Saffron looked adoringly at the rabbit. "It’s my new favourite toy."

Hermione put her arm around her daughter. "I think that's sweet, baby."

"You can play with it too, Daddy." Saffron offered.

3. The rest!

Sorry guys- I forgot to send Amy the completed file! Here’s the rest of the ficlet! Happy Christmas!

"Yeah," Ron clapped Harry on the back. "You could do that, Harry. Hippety Hoppety and all that."

Harry punched Ron in the arm.

"Ow!" Ron yelped.

"Serves you right," Harry told him.

"Me?" Ron asked with a grin. "You should take this up with Santa."

"Very funny," Harry answered dryly.

Saffron hugged the bunny to her. "This is even better than a puppy...almost."

Harry chuckled. "Keep asking, baby."

"Maybe you could ask for a real rabbit?" RJ suggested.

"There already are two in the house," Ron muttered under his breath.

Saffron heard this and her eyes grew large. "Where?"

This time Hermione frowned at Ron.

"Um," Ron looked at his watch. "Would you look at the time? I think its past time for breakfast..."

"Yeah!" RJ said. "I'm STARVING!"

Everyone started for the kitchen, except for Harry and Hermione.

"What a mess," Hermione shook her head, but she smiled.

"Ron or the sitting room?" Harry asked dryly.

"Both," Hermione answered, waving her wand at the piles of wrapping paper on the floor.

Harry smiled. "Thanks."

Hermione gave him a hug. "I have a present for you upstairs..."

"You do?" Harry asked.

"Mmmhmm..." she gave him a kiss.

"When do I get this...present?" Harry asked huskily.

"Later," she whispered.

"It's not a matching stuffed rabbit is it?" Harry asked with a grin.

"No," she said. "I think you'll like it a lot... better..."

Harry gave her a lingering kiss. "I have a feeling I will."

"Daddy!" Saffron called. "Mummy! Come eat before Uncle Ron takes it all!"

Hermione laughed. "We'll be right there, Saffy!"

Harry smiled. "We can sneak in a little private time before we head to the Burrow."

"Oh, Rabbits..." Ron called out in a sing-song voice.

"I'm going to kill him," Harry began.

"Not if I get him first," Hermione said just as Saffron ran out of the kitchen. "Saffy---there's no rabbits---"

"But there is one!" Saffron said. "In the kitchen!"

"What?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow.

She and Harry hurried in to see the stuffed bunny hopping across the floor.

"It's the coolest!" Saffron exclaimed clapping her hands together.

"Very cool," Julie agreed, laughing.

Ron grinned. "Happy Christmas, Harry!"

Harry shook his head wryly. "Happy Christmas, Ron."

"One good turn deserves another, right?" Ron asked.

"I suppose so," Harry conceded.

Ron took a bite of his pancakes. "This is the best Christmas ever."

Saffron nodded eagerly, grasping her fork in her hand. "Because we got to meet Santa!"

"And Dad got that stuffed rabbit," Ethan said.

"Let's never forget that," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Daddy the Rabbit King hopping down the bunny trail," Saffron sang happily.

Ron nearly choked on his food and Luna had to pound on his back for a moment.

"Dad, are you okay?" RJ asked.

"Fine," Ron managed. "Just fine..."

Harry sat down at the table and Saffron crawled into his lap.

"Daddy?" Saffron looked up at him.

"Yes, Saffy?" Harry asked.

"I love you," she said. "You're the bestest Daddy ever."

Harry grinned. He would take any amount of teasing Ron would throw his away if he could hear something like that from his baby girl. "I love you, too, Saffron. You, your mum, Ethan and Julie. More than anything in this world."

Saffron grinned up at him. "We can share my breakfast if you want."

"You would share with me?" Harry asked grinning back at her.

Saffron nodded. "I have lots of pancakes."

"With blueberries," Harry said kissing the top of her head.

"My favourite," Saffron nodded as Harry grabbed a fork.

Hermione grabbed her camera. "Smile."

Saffron and Harry both grinned at the camera. "Ethan!" the little girl exclaimed. "Show Mummy the picture from last night!"

Ethan took the camera from his mother and pushed a couple of buttons. He handed it back to her. "That's Saffy and Santa Claus."

"Oh my!" Hermione exclaimed. "Look at that!"

Saffron grinned.

"Before we go to the Burrow we'll make a copy of it and take it with us," Hermione promised.

"You know," Harry said looking at the camera. "He reminds me a little of Albus Dumbledore."

"I could see that," Ethan agreed.

Ron scoffed. "Dumbledore? Please..."

"I think Santa was perfectly lovely," Maddie volunteered.

"He had a big stomach and everything," RJ agreed.

"He did--" Ron started to argue.

Maddie smiled at her father. "He was the best and I'm sure if his family could have seen him, they'd have been very proud."

Ron smiled at his youngest daughter. "You've got it, sweetheart."

Darla and Drew knew what their father had done last night and they couldn't have agreed more. "And he's quite handsome, too," Darla chimed in.

"And charming," Drew giggled.

Ron grinned. "I'm sure he was."

"I love him," Saffron agreed.

"Even if he didn't bring you a puppy?" Ron asked.

"I'm going to try again next year," Saffron said.

"That's my girl," Harry said. "Never give up."

"Nope," Saffron stuck her fork in another pancake.

Hermione raised her glass of orange juice. "To Santa!"

Harry raised Saffron's little arm with his. "To the old man!"

"To the better man!" Ron said glaring at Harry.

"Happy Christmas!" Saffron said happily.