Faithful

gryffindor-girl

Rating: PG
Genres: Angst, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 7
Published: 01/02/2009
Last Updated: 03/02/2009
Status: Completed

Hermione repairs the 2 way mirrors originally from Sirius, as a gift to Harry. But once they start talking again, neither one wants to stop. Angst & Affair fic, sorta. EWE? PG for swears only.

1. Part 1


*waves*

Hi and Happy New Year PKers Just thought I'd say hi and jump back into the fandom with a fic I've had on my computer for mooonths. Three parts and finished, daily updates from now, set after DH, sidestepping The Epilogue of Doom. I've spilled a lot of angst over posting this..but today I decided to Get Over Myself. *gets over self* *feels better for it* Also, am hoping it will inspire other dusty WIPs I have.

All my thanks go to the gorgeous Yen/Hippogriff Lover, for the lovely beta/fangirling and for encouraging me to post and also just because she is a rockstar. Plus a big thanks to Lady Bluestar on LJ who looked over it for me eons ago too x

Now for the fine print…

Warnings: Sorta kinda an affair fic I guess. And a total Angst-athon. So if that bothers you at all, or if angst is not your thing, then back quietly away…shhh…

Authors note: Aargh, I'd like to keep this A/N short but… This is quite a strange style - it's almost just a lot of drabbles strung together. Anything in italics is random parts of the future (not necessarily in order). Normal text is the present. I know some of you might not like it, but it's my attempt at something original.

Also, the song that inspired this fic is `Lips of an Angel' by Hinder.

Disclaimer: Not mine, I just like to put em in hats and make em dance.

………………………………………….

“Hermione…”

Harry looked up slowly from the half unwrapped present in his hands. He watched her, standing there blushing slightly, not meeting his eyes and was horrified to feel tears pricking at his eyelids. Hastily he looked back down at the small square mirror in his hand and turned it over, reading the familiar inscription on the back.

“What? What is it?” Ron looked from one to the other, noticing their averted gazes and shuffling feet. His hand had frozen halfway between the bag of crisps he was holding and his mouth. “What?!”

“It's the mirror.” Harry said in a small voice. He cleared his throat and looked over at Ron. “It's Sirius's mirror.” He smoothed a thumb over the glass surface then braved a look at Hermione again. “How did you fix it?”

She was still blushing but lowered her face to bend down and pick something up from her bag.

“I just… I did some research on strengthening the Reparo spell.” She pulled out a tattered book with a faded cover that read `Repairing Unfixable Magical Objects'. She waggled it self-consciously then dropped it back in the bag. Stooping again, she pulled out another object - a matching mirror. “This is the partner to it; I went and saw Aberforth and he gave it to me. I took yours from the trunk at Grimmauld Place.”

He looked at her hand, slightly shaking as it held out the mirror. Ron had stopped chewing as he watched them both closely and then peered at the mirror too. Harry reached out and took it, holding it delicately as Hermione spoke again.

“I hope you don't mind. I needed both of them to fix the broken one.”

Harry held both the mirrors in front of him, knowing what he wanted to do next. Ron was watching them a little too closely - but he could see all the effort Hermione had put into his birthday present and for once, he would just do what he felt.

He held one of the mirrors back out to her.

“Here, you take it.”

She raised her eyebrows at him. “Me? I thought… well I assumed you'd want to give it…”

“I want to give it to you.”

She caught his eyes for the millisecond he glanced at her and the air in the room felt all of a sudden heavy. Ron frowned as he resumed eating his crisps, the crackle of the bag the only other sound as Hermione mumbled a small `Ok' and placed the little mirror reverently back in her bag.

………………………………………………….

“Harry.”

She spoke the name clearly at the little mirror, waiting as a grey mist swirled and eddied in the depths of the reflection.

After some time she saw a flash of green, and then an outline of untidy dark hair.

“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Where are you? It's late.”

“I'm at Luna's. I just… I wanted to…”

He smiled.

“It's okay.”

“Where's Ginny?”

“She's in the next room.”

“Right.”

“It's really good to hear your voice.”

Hermione closed her eyes to sudden unexpected tears.

“You too,” she whispered.

………………………………………………………………..

“Ginny!”

Ginny turned to see Hermione running towards her and smiled as she caught up.

“Hi!” She kissed her future sister in law—as she'd come to think of her— on the cheek as she pulled up alongside, joining the queue for the lifts to the Ministry lobby.

“Just been to see Harry?”

“Yeah,” said Ginny, smiling widely. “I wanted to make sure he knew to keep tomorrow free, we're going to do the family dinner for his birthday then.”

Hermione frowned as they stepped forward together. “I can't believe Kingsley won't give you the night off tonight!”

Ginny made a face and then shrugged. “I know. But Shacklebolt said we could only have this meeting tonight—on the full moon— so the Seers would be at their best. Harry said he didn't mind…” Her voice trailed off. Why did she always feel she had to justify herself to Hermione? Over the years she'd begun to feel more intimidated by her, even though she felt Hermione had chilled out a lot since school.

It was silly— and Ginny could barely admit that it was maybe because with time, her friend had gotten more and more beautiful; she was one of those girls who had come into their prime in their twenties. Hermione didn't seem to have any idea though, that wizards would stop and stare as she walked past, that her muggle clothes that she mostly wore now as part of her job at Magical Law Enforcement seemed to hug her body the right way, the way that made men stop and appreciate.

Ginny shook out her long hair, her pride and joy. She made sure it was falling over her shoulders the way she liked it to. Glancing at Hermione who was waving out to a co-worker across the room she berated herself for her jealous thoughts. She made a decision.

“Hermione, you should see if Harry still wants to do anything tonight. Ron's made plans now and I hate to think he'll be sitting home alone on his actual birthday.” She felt pleased with herself, her sudden generosity serving to balance out her previous thoughts.

Hermione looked at her, a little stunned, and then blinked.

“Sure Gin. I'll go back and ask him now.” She squeezed Ginny in a brief hug.

“I'll see you tomorrow at the Burrow.”

“Okay. And Hermione?” Ginny called out as Hermione walked away, turning to look back with her eyebrows raised in question. “Thanks.”

Hermione affected a smile that only she knew was hesitant.

“Sure.”

…………………….

Ron!”

“I don't wanna hear it Hermione! Don't bother lying to me!!!”

He stood, hands braced on the kitchen bench, focusing on his breathing as he tried to control himself. He looked up at her steadily and his glare made her flinch.

“I'm not stupid! I know that's what you were doing last night, talking to him on those bloody mirrors!!”

“It's not… I'm just talking to him Ron! I'm allowed to talk to Harry! He's my friend too you know.”

“Ah Hermione give me some goddamn credit!!” He kicked at the cupboard in front of him violently, cracking the door panel. “I see you together! I'd be an idiot not to know!”

“Not to know WHAT Ronald? For Gods' sake - he's going out with your sister! And that's what it's like between us - he thinks of ME as a sister, you know that!”

Ron kicked another hole in the cupboard then wrenched it open, finally kicking it off his hinges. Hermione covered her face, waiting for him to stop. When he was still again she looked up from between her fingers. The next time he spoke, it was quietly, from between ragged breaths.

“Don't feed me that old line. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.”

He turned and stormed out of the kitchen and she listened for the front door to slam before sliding down the wall to bury her face in her knees.

………………………………………………………….

“Harry?”

Harry looked up to the soft rap on his office door. Hermione stood leaning in, smiling at him. He grinned back, and then had an immediate flash back to that afternoon, when she'd given him the mirror at lunch time. He'd thought of her a lot since then. More than he cared to admit.

“What are you doing tonight?” she asked. He gestured to the seat in front of his desk and she came in and flopped into it.

“Nothing. Just home.” He noticed her lips seemed particularly red today. He didn't think she was wearing makeup though. Red? Where the hell was that thought coming from? He shook his head minutely. “Why?”

“I just spoke to Ginny and she said I should take you to do something. I thought maybe we could track down Hagrid, go and have a drink?”

Ordinarily he would've been delighted at the idea, two of his favourite people and a Firewhisky. Why was it filling him with a strange dread now? He pushed down the feeling and smiled.

“That sounds perfect.”

…………………………………………………………

“Ginny?”

Harry walked through the rooms, sticking his head into every one briefly before moving to the next. “Are you here?”

“Out back!”

He headed towards the back room, knowing he would see her at the pottery wheel. Her arms were coated in the thick clay and she looked up at him and smiled as he approached.

“How was your day?” She stopped the wheel and turned to place her legs either side of his as she looked up at him.

He smiled and brushed a hair out of her eye, tucking it behind her ear.

“Fine. What do you want to do for dinner?”

“Maybe we should go out?”

“Yeah okay, I'll sort it.” He bent and kissed her forehead then turned and walked out. His smile faded as he strode to the kitchen, ran a hand through his hair and leant against the table. Blowing out a long breath he swore, and muttered quietly to himself.

“I can't.”

………………………………………………………

“`Ermione!”

Hagrid crushed her in a bear hug and she smiled into his wild hair as it covered her face.

“Hi Hagrid. It's so good to see you.”

He set her back and moved on to give Harry the same treatment, knocking the wind out of him.

“Happy Birthday `Arry! Oh— look I bought you sumthin.” He reached into his coat pocket and produced a large battered box. “I didn't sit on it this time.” Harry opened it to find a slightly lopsided cake. Hagrid waved a huge hand in the air. “Though it might've `ad a bit of shakin up on the way…”

Harry grinned up at him. “It's perfect. Drink?”

Hagrid nodded enthusiastically and the three of them settled into the only booth at the Three Broomsticks that could fit Hagrid. Harry and Hermione knew that Madame Rosmerta had adjusted it accordingly for Hagrid as one of her favourite and most regular customers.

They ate and drank, sharing stories and memories late into the night. Harry glanced at his watch and was shocked to see how much time had passed but he smiled, genuinely happy to be in the company of these two. Hermione laughed at one of Hagrid's stories that he was telling through a strong bout of hiccups and Harry smiled fondly at her. She looked up, catching his eye and her smile faltered for a second before she returned it.

“Ah you two.”

Hagrid looked weepy again for the umpteenth time that evening and Harry felt a stab of guilt, for not spending enough time with him lately. It was just that when he got time to spend with Ginny, she preferred to be alone, or just with Ron and Hermione. He realised then that he needed to see his old friends more.

“I always thought yer would get together ya know?”

His speech slurred from the drinks he'd been steadily knocking back but Harry had certainly caught his meaning. He cleared his throat and looked steadfastly up at Hagrid, ignoring Hermione in his peripheral vision. She however, seemed to be doing the same.

Hagrid's eyes widened momentarily and he looked around, as if expecting to see someone, perhaps Ron, or Ginny.

“Ah… I shouldna said that should I.” He shrugged his huge shoulders then and glanced around; checking again that it was just the three of them. The liquor encouraged him to continue.

“But I do mean it. I've ne'er seen a relationship like yours. It's like you know each other's thoughts.” He patted Hermione on her back, starting her coughing. “And you've always been the bonniest lass Mione.”

Hermione blushed but shook her head, tucking her hair behind her ears. “Oh Hagrid, hardly. I know I was awkward - I didn't care. I don't need to be a great beauty to be happy.” She trailed off and grabbed her drink, draining the rest of the wine in her glass. She stood abruptly.

“Another drink?”

“But you are though.”

No one was more surprised than Harry when he spoke.

“Yer are what?” Hagrid frowned at Harry's comment and Harry found himself answering without his own knowledge again.

“Beautiful.”

The word felt torn from him and he looked down at his hands in the silence that followed. Quickly he stood up.

“I'll get this round.”

…………………………………………………………….

“Ron?”

“Uh, yeah sure that'll be good.”

“Do you need to ask Hermione?”

He took his eyes off the TV to glance at Ginny's face in the embers of his fireplace. “Na, she won't be doing anything. Tell Mum we'll come.”

The ember face cracked into a smile. “Great, Mum will be so happy. Harry can come now too - he thought he might have to work but I told him how important it is that he be at Shell Cottage for the anniversary. It'll be fun - all staying there together. Fleur is so looking forward to having us.”

Ron grunted as Ginny went on, discussing the coming weekend. He frowned at the stray thought of Harry and Hermione sleeping in the cramped conditions of Shell Cottage, too close together for his liking. What was wrong with his thinking lately? Why would he even consider that?

It was the mirrors he thought. Those bloody mirrors - that Hermione had gone to so much trouble to find and fix, and then the fact that Harry wanted HIS girlfriend to have the other one. And then, that night, when they'd gone out together till late. What were they playing at?

Don't be stupid Ron, he thought to himself, shaking his head at his own admonishing. You've had these stupid thoughts before, and you just end up looking like a jealous tosser. Pack it in - they're like brother and sister. Of course they want to talk, to be in touch.

He looked over at Ginny, still talking in the fireplace. Maybe the lot of them all going away together would be just what they needed.

“Yeah Gin, it'll be fun.”

……………………………………………………………………

“Ginny!!”

“What??!”

“What the hell did you do that for?

“What do you mean?”

Ron's angry face spat embers out of the fireplace and on to the hearth.

“Send them out together! Like a bloody date!!”

Ginny frowned angrily at her brother. “Oh for God's sake Ron! It's Harry! What's the problem?”

He pressed his lips together, obviously weighing his next words. “You didn't… you didn't see…”

“Didn't see what Ron?”

See them together today. With those mirrors. I can't get it out of my head. But his thoughts stayed inside as he placed his hands on the cold floor by the fireplace.

“Nothing Ginny, forget it.” He pulled his head back from the fire, kneeling on the ground for some time after.

Ginny shook her head and went back to her book.

“Whatever Ron,” she muttered.

………………………………………………….

“Harry.”

He didn't turn around and stayed silent.

“Please talk to me.”

“I can't… Hermione, please… leave me alone.”

“I will if you want me to.”

He turned then, taking in her appearance as she stood in the middle of the room, small and lonely. Her tanned skin was on show in her shorts and singlet, and the sleeves of her cable knit cardigan covered most of her hands as she fidgeted.

“You act like I've done something wrong.”

He sighed, rubbed a hand over his face. “You haven't done anything.”

“Then why are you avoiding me?”

He answered honestly.

Because I have to.”

She stepped closer, staring at her feet. He drew away from her as if she was a blazing fire too warm for his skin to bear.

“Don't. Please don't.”

She nodded in response and bit her lip. Turning on her heel, she walked slowly from the room.

…………………………………………………..

“Ron?”

“No, he'll be asleep too Hagrid. Everyone has work tomorrow. Let's just call it a night.”

Hagrid's bottom lip pushed out but he shrugged in final acceptance that the night was indeed over. He'd spent the last hour trying to convince Hermione and Harry that they should apparate to the Weasleys, see if anyone wanted to come out for drinks. All of them were a little worse for wear but a stumbling Hagrid had been hard to remove from the Three Broomsticks.

They started along the main road of Hogsmeade, walking Hagrid home though he protested.

“I'll be fine yer silly kids.”

“We'll just walk you to the gates Hagrid, then apparate from there.”

“Ah you two. Did I ever tell you that I always thought yer would get together?” He stopped suddenly and hiccupped. “I shouldna `ave said that.”

Harry and Hermione both grinned this time, breaking into giggles and full laughter as they made their way through the village. Hagrid shrugged and kept on.

They stood at the gate for ages while Hagrid said his goodbyes for the sixth time - and again gave his thoughts on the two of them getting together. Shaking his head Harry ended up leaning all his weight into Hagrid's back and pushing him towards Hogwarts grounds, until Hagrid gave in laughing as he walked away. He took forever to walk out of sight - stopping and waving every few steps. Finally they stood alone and silent, their warm breath forming vapor clouds in the night.

“He's so funny.”

“Yeah.”

“We don't see enough of him now.”

“I was just thinking the same thing.”

Harry glanced sideways at Hermione, realising he'd just confirmed what Hagrid was saying earlier about them reading each other's thoughts. He shifted uncomfortably and shoved his hands in his pockets. She spoke first.

“So we better get home.”

“Yeah.”

“I think I might take the Knight Bus. Don't want to risk a splinching.”

Harry turned and grinned at her. “Are you drunk, Miss Granger?”

She smiled back and then affected a slur and some stumbles. “I'm not ash think ash you drunk I am….”

He laughed and copied her, hiccupping down the street.

“Hic - Aah I shouldna `ave said that -hic”. He mimicked Hagrid remarkably well and they laughed hard. Finally standing up straight he held his arm out for her to take.

“Come on then, let's go.”

She looped an arm through his and together they walked away from the school gates.

……………………………………………

“Ginny.”

“Is she awake?”

“She's just in the bathroom. Wait.”

Harry whispered at the square mirror as he sat in the dark corner of the kitchen. Straining his ears he listened out for the running water, and Ginny's stumbling steps as she made her way back to the bedroom.

“She's gone.”

“Are you sure? Will she wake up again?”

“No. She had nearly two bottles of wine tonight - she probably hasn't even noticed I'm not there.”

“Oh. Okay.”

He closed his eyes and leaned back into his chair. Shaking his head, he held the mirror up to his face again.

“Does he know you're still talking to me?”

Hermione closed her eyes momentarily too and he thought she might cry. But she opened them again and regarded him sadly.

“No. He thinks I've got rid of it. Like he asked me to.”

Harry nodded ruefully.

“Right.”

“I better let you go.”

“Yeah. But Hermione…are you okay?”

He leaned forward on his knees and watched her face as she studied his.

She attempted a smile. “As okay as I ever am these days.”

He nodded and smiled softly. He looked up suddenly at a noise from the bedroom, then back at the mirror after a moment.

“Harry…What about you? Are you okay?”

He shook his head sadly, and ran his thumb down the edge of the mirror.

“It's never okay now, Hermione.”

………………………………………………….

“Harry?”

“Oh yeah sorry - you just hold your wand arm out…like this.”

BANG.

A double-decker bus appeared from nowhere and careened towards them from the opposite side of the street.

Harry pulled Hermione back from the road just in time as the bus swayed precariously over the curb before screeching to a halt.

The doors opened with a hiss. Hermione felt a warm hand in hers and Harry was leading her up the stairs and on to the first crooked bed by the door.

The bus was empty aside from them but the conductor - an old stoutly man in a worn uniform, still blew his whistle long and loud to signal the bus (driven apparently by itself) to lurch off down the road again.

The arm around Hermione's waist tightened as Harry held on to both her and the bedpost in an effort to keep them steady. He wished she would say something - the silence between them seemed to solidify as they sat side by side, pressed close together.

He could think of nothing.

The bus rolled around a corner then, tipping onto two wheels. Hermione slid across the bed and was airborne in a second; he made a grab for her but only succeeded in being thrown himself and in his recovery, knocked his head hard against her lip.

She ended up crumpled in a corner at the next stop. Harry crawled towards her, his face creased in worry as she held her lip with both hands.

“Shit…. God, I'm so sorry.”

She pulled her fingers away from her mouth to see the amount of scarlet blood there.

Harry got up on his knees and placed a hand on top of her head while lifting the bottom of his dark T shirt to press against the blood flow. She tried to pull back, attempting to protest at him using his shirt. But he already had it against her lip so she fell silent and still, looking up and away at the ceiling while he set about wiping the blood.

“Shit shit shit - that's a good cut.” He sat back and surveyed his work, shaking his head and looking worried. “That might even leave a scar.”

She looked up at him, her eyes seeming particularly dark. “It's okay Harry.”

He returned her gaze, for a fraction too long. The conductor's whistle cut through the tension, Harry dropped to sit at her side.

“Safer on the floor maybe.”

“I don't know if anywhere's safe in here.”

Both were happy the bus pulled away then, cutting their conversation short.

………………………………………………………..

“Ron!”

Harry weaved through the crowd, dodging witches and wizards as they crowded towards the fireplaces of the Ministry, waiting their turns to floo. He was going against the tide and it was made more difficult by the amount people that still stopped to stare, to point and whisper about the Boy Who Lived as if he was deaf. He ignored them and kept his eyes on the red head walking away from him.

“Ron!!!” He called again, so loud that people next to Ron turned but the red head remained facing forward, walking in a straight line through the crowd in the lobby.

Harry frowned and pushed past people with more force now, wading through with determination. He reached Ron as he arrived at the queue for the phone box exit.

“Ron?” Harry grabbed his shoulder and attempted to turn him but Ron remained steadfastly facing the queue, as if Harry wasn't there.

“What the… talk to me!”

Ron turned and glared at Harry with a loathing that almost made him flinch.

“What do you want?”

Harry raised his eyebrows. “What do I want?” He lifted his arms in a shrug, his eyes searching the ceiling. “Oh I don't know… maybe a conversation with my best friend?”

People were starting to stare but Harry barely noticed, nose to nose with Ron as he was now.

Ron met his glare.

“Best friend? That's rich.”

“What the fuck do you mean by that?”

“I mean some best friend that would be sleeping with my girlfriend behind my back.”

Harry stepped back stunned. He glanced at the shocked faces turned to them now, then back at the angry mask of Ron's face.

He nodded as he backed away.

“Yeah, you would. You would think that.”

………………………………………………………

“…Ron.”

“I know. He's the person I least want to explain to as well. He's gonna think I beat you up.” Harry grinned. “Hell, he's gonna beat ME up.”

Hermione snorted. “As if. Don't worry— I'll do some healing charms on it or something, it'll be better by tomorrow.”

They strolled down the dark street towards Hermione and Ron's flat.

“I think the light's on.”

They both stopped and peered ahead, keeping silent. The silence continued as they stood there, seemingly waiting for something. A few drops of rain fell.

“You better get inside.” Harry wasn't sure why he was whispering.

“Yeah.” She whispered back. “Well, happy birthday, Harry.” She looked up at him, with a slightly wooden smile. She reached up to his arm and patted it softly then looked to the ground. Stepping slowly away from him she was shocked to feel his fingers close around her wrist. She followed him automatically as he led her under a bus shelter.

The rain began to fall harder as he turned her to face him. She ventured a look up to find him staring at the ground, choosing his next words carefully. She studied his face as he wrestled with his thoughts.

“Listen, I…” He sighed and took both of her hands in his. She glanced around his shoulder at the yellow square of her top story window.

“I'm not good at…at saying how I feel.” He met her eyes for a moment. “Especially with… with you. And I don't know why that is.

“But I had to tell you …that present…you getting those mirrors fixed…it means a lot.” He cleared his throat, looking at the ground again. “So yeah. I just wanted to say that.”

She smiled up at him. “You're welcome Harry. I'm glad you liked it. I was kinda worried you might be mad…” She trailed off, the noise from the rain getting louder on the clear roof above them. Harry studied a puddle as raindrops splashed messily into it.

“No. I was anything but mad.”

“I'll call you then.”

He looked in her eyes and smiled. Then his eye was drawn by the dried blood on her lip.

Instinctively he reached out to touch it.

…………………………………………………..

“Ginny…”

“Look, I know that Ron is an idiot sometimes. And I know he's had this issue with you guys for some time. I'm not accusing you Harry… but things were weird between you and Hermione at Shell Cottage.”

“Yeah.

Ginny's stomach lurched as she watched Harry, staring at the ground. Finally he raised his head to look at her.

She looked so young still, exactly as she did at Hogwarts. He felt like the world's biggest prat every time he looked at her now. How could he tell her? He knew she thought they were going to get married. That's what any honourable guy would do, he scolded himself. Running a hand through his hair, he sighed.

“It's nothing Gin. She's just stressed at work and I've been helping her. Ron thinks all this stuff but… that's Ron y'know. He's always had those doubts about us.”

Ginny smiled a little shakily. “I knew it was nothing.”

He held out his arms to her and she walked into them. Kissing the top of her head he stared off into the distance.

“I never want to hurt you Ginny.”

“Then don't.” She tried and failed to sound lighthearted.

She looked up to him and he kissed her on the nose. Then he released her, smiled weakly and walked away.

She bit her nails as she watched him go.

………………………………………………………….

“Harry.”

She breathed out his name in a whisper that he didn't hear over the rain.

His finger brushed the cut lightly. He blew a slow exhale out through his nose as he left the fingertip there for a second, and then ran it along her bottom lip, all the way across and back. She noticed a muscle flex in his jaw.

She took in a sharp breath and let it out shakily. She watched his eyes but they were fixed on his own finger. Then he spoke.

“Sorry…again. About that.”

She nodded - speech deserting her for the moment. She expected him to take his finger away any second now, until he moved his thumb to her lip next, his fingers lightly holding her jaw.

She moved into him fractionally and his eyes widened for a moment, catching hers.

…………………………………………….

“Hermione.”

She sighed, fed up.

“What, Ron.”

“You haven't answered my question.”

“That's because it's ridiculous Ron.”

“Don't try and dance around it. Just answer me.”

She finally looked up from her plate, dropping her knife and fork with a clatter into her half eaten food.

“Yes. I. Have. I said, Nothing. I can't believe you're on about this again. I thought we sorted this last week.”

“Everyone could see it. Even Ginny asked if you and Harry had had an argument. You guys were strange with each other.” He pushed away from the table and folded his arms. “I want to know.”

Hermione repeated his actions, pushing back herself but standing up. She glared down at him for a moment, then turned and stalked off down the hall. Reaching the front door she grabbed her cloak, swirling it in a circle around her to rest on her shoulders.

“No you don't Ron,” she said under her breath as she opened the door to leave. “You don't want to know.”

…………………………………………………………..

“Hermione.”

He seemed to break some tension with her name.

“I… you better go.”

His words echoed in the shelter. They shared a few more breaths then he leaned down to her, pressed his lips chastely against her cheek. He could smell her hair, slightly damp now. She closed her eyes.

Carefully, he took a step back.

Opening her eyes again she looked at him in front of her, vaguely realising her fists were clenched at her sides.

“Okay. Thanks. I had a nice time.”

“So did I. Thanks for taking me out.”

“I'll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, okay, I'll see you then.”

A deep breath and then she went to step out into the rain. He stopped her, his hand shooting out to grasp her arm.

She looked back and he was staring down at her, his expression unreadable.

“Wait. Take this.”

He started to shrug out of his jacket.

“No... no Harry it's just over there…”

But he was already laying it around her shoulders, pulling up the hood over her hair. His hands pulled the hood forward on each side and he smiled at her small face framed by the jacket now.

“I can't send you home bloodied AND soaked to the skin. Ron would never forgive me.” His smile faltered on his last words.

Hermione's voice was very small. “No, I suppose not.”

She threaded her arms into the jacket and then looked up at him, struck by how green his eyes seemed in the low streetlight.

“Will you be okay?”

He nodded. “I'm alright to apparate now. I've sobered up.” He looked down at the ground quickly, as if he'd just shared too much.

“Well, okay then. I'll see you.”

“Bye.”

She hurried out into the rain. He stood there and watched her until she made it to the door and turned around, her silhouette framed by the light from her hallway. She raised a hand to wave, her fingers only just visible over the sleeve of his jacket.

He raised a hand back and waited for her to close the door, before stepping out from under the shelter to walk home in the rain.

……………………………………………

“Hermione.”

She turned suddenly in fright. Hugging herself and wrapped in her woolen cardigan, she was still freezing in the cliff top winds. She was shocked he was here, that he had got so close to her without her hearing him. She attempted a smile but failed, turning instead back to the view of the dark ocean.

His fingertips on her shoulders felt like they were burning through the wool and into her skin as he reached out to touch her. She attempted to pull away, but his hands were already cupping her shoulders, pulling her back and around to face him.

She stared down fixedly at his t shirt, the outline of his chest just inches from her face.

“You're freezing.”

He hadn't let go of her, and the thought ran through her mind that the warmth generated by his hands was certainly doing its part to warm her up. She felt paralyzed, frozen indeed, in a moment in time.

“Please come back inside.”

His green stare penetrated her and with the help of the wind she swayed into him. He reflexively grabbed her in to steady her, the whole of their bodies in line now and pressing into each other. She noticed his breathing, shallow and quick, matching hers.

With burning shame she tilted her face up to him and he looked down at her, frowning, his lips slightly parted. One hand was on her shoulder, the other on her back. She knew he was hovering between holding her there and setting her away, and she knew either way she wouldn't be able to resist.

He lowered his face to hers, painfully slow. So close that their lips were just barely touching.

“Stop me,” he whispered.

Her mouth was so dry and she licked her lips, accidentally grazing his with her tongue. Her eyes traveled up to lock with his.

“No I can't.”

He closed his eyes for a second and then he lowered his chin, staying close but breaking the contact of their lips. She could smell his hair and she closed her eyes also as he moved his cheek to hers, resting their faces together.

His whispered voice was only inches from her ear.

“Go inside. Please.”

She smiled then, a sad broken smile and rested her forehead on his chest.

She stayed there a moment longer, feeling his heart beat while the wind whipped around them. She looked off into the distance to the white cottage behind him, thinking of all the sleeping bodies of their loved ones inside.

Without another word she stepped past him, leaving him staring out to the night sea.

She didn't look back.

…………………………………………………….

“Ron?”

She had been standing, her back against the door. Leaning against it for support she admitted. It had been all of a sudden difficult to stand.

She had listened to the stillness of the house, a distant roll of thunder and the sound of the wind getting stronger. Turning then, she cupped her hands around her eyes to peer through the coloured rectangle of glass set into the door, and saw by the light of the streetlamp that the bus shelter was empty now.

Slowly she turned her hands to grasp each side of the hood still over her head. She felt the warm lining of the jacket with her fingertips, her knuckles grazing her cheeks as she pulled it close about her face. Staring off into the night she moved her hands further down to the neck of the coat and then lowered her chin until her nose was hidden in it.

She breathed in deeply, and closed her eyes. Her forehead rested on the cool glass as she drank in the smell of the jacket.

Then she heard the tapping.

Something solid tapping lightly on wood.

She turned to the noise, straining her eyes to see into the dark front room.

Vaguely she detected a bulky outline in the corner.

“Ron?”

With a sharp click, orbs of light flew across the room from him to every light and lamp.

“Nice night?”

“Wh…uh yeah, it was great. What are you doing up?”

“Oh, I don't know.” He turned the silver deluminator over in his long fingers against the wooden armrest and she realised this had been the tapping sound. “I guess I just wanted to see if my girlfriend would actually make it home or not.”

Hermione frowned, and stepped into the room. She couldn't help herself turning her head to glance out of the front window, checking, she knew, to see if he had a view of the bus shelter. He didn't.

“Of course I'd make it home. What's that supposed to mean?”

Ron remained silent, glaring at her.

“Ron, I was out with Hagrid and Harry.” Still no response. She turned away from him. “I'm going to bed.”

“Hermione.”

She paused at the door, scowling back at him.

“Nice jacket.”

……………………………………………………….

“Harry.”

Harry looked up at his office door to see Ron's lanky frame braced against the door jamb. His arms were folded defensively, but his expression was sheepish.

Watching him closely, Harry stood up and then gestured to a seat. Ron stepped into the room but remained standing.

“So… I thought I'd tell you… She's gone.”

“What?”

“Hermione.”

“Gone where?”

“Australia.”

“Why? For how long?” A strong sense of foreboding gripped him and he placed his fingers on his desk to brace himself.

“Forever.”

Harry blinked. “What do you mean?”

“I mean she's left me, she's left all her friends, she's left you. She said she didn't want any big fuss.” He looked down at his feet, kicking at the ground. “So I guess I owe you an apology.”

At that Harry snapped out of his stupor and shook his head to clear it.

“What for?”

“For being an asshole. For treating you like shit. I know it was me that drove her away. I was trying to blame you.”

Harry's mouth opened but nothing came out.

“So, we've established I'm a knobhead. Wanna go for a beer?”

His thoughts flew to the little mirror he wished he had on him now. He looked at Ron.

“Sure.”

…………………………………………………..

“Ginny!”

“You look so well sweetheart... you're glowing! No news to tell us, have you..?”

Molly Weasley wrapped her youngest in a warm hug and winked at Harry. He tried not to let his smile turn into a grimace and raised his eyebrows at her before moving in to hug her tight.

“Happy Birthday Harry!” Arthur Weasley moved in to give Harry a back slapping hug.

The Butterbeer began to flow as George and Alicia arrived, followed by Bill and Fleur and then Andromeda and Teddy. Harry busied himself playing with the little toddler, wrestling with him in the middle of the lounge room.

He didn't notice the door opening until Hermione was standing fully in the room. He stopped and looked up at her from where he was sitting on the floor and she stood there mutely. Over her shoulder he saw Ron enter the room and then just as quickly leave again. He frowned and glanced back at Hermione who was still staring at him, and still hadn't said a word.

“Wodjaaaa!” A flash of blue hair in the corner of his eye warned him of Teddy's approach and he turned just in time to catch the boy as he launched at Harry, knocking him onto his back. Harry's t shirt came up with Teddy's legs and he could feel the air on his bare skin.

Hermione looked down at them, her eyes drawn to his exposed stomach. Hastily she held her arm out to him and caught his eyes again.

“Here's your jacket. Thanks for that.”

He reached up to grab it, noticing Ginny come in the room with a tray of drinks at that moment.

“No problem.”

They gathered in the dining room soon after, all taking their seats noisily. Harry had to step past Hermione to get to his seat, using considerable effort not to touch her. Ron hadn't spoken or even looked at him yet and Harry frowned in his direction.

“Haaaaaappy Birthday to yoooooou,” Molly warbled, as she approached him, barely visible behind a huge cake with hundreds of candles on it. He smiled as they finished singing and Molly placed the cake in front of him. He grabbed Teddy out of his high chair to help him blow out the candles.

“1, 2, 3!!”

“What did you wish for, Harry?”

George's question took him by surprise and he cursed himself as his eyes slid to Hermione. She bit her lip and looked down and he looked hastily at his plate.

Sometimes I wish she was you.

“A new broom,” he said quickly, knowing that Ginny had brought him one as a surprise that he would open after dinner. Ginny smiled warmly and pressed herself against his arm. Ron watched the two of them closely, as Harry turned to kiss her.

Hermione kept her stare down, and stabbed some food on her plate.

---------------------------end of part one

-->

2. Part Two


Faithful

Part Two

Warnings & Disclaimer - see previous chapter. One more part to come after this to end.

Thanks for reading and especially for the feedback xxx

--------------------------

“Hermione.

His voice penetrated her sleep, and though her dreams had been fraught with him, she knew it was really his voice.

Her eyes flew open, and she stared at the ceiling, waiting. Ron snored soundly beside her; she didn't have to look at him to know he was fast asleep.

“Hermione.

The charm from the mirror captured his voice and delivered it to her ears only. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the sound briefly before pulling back the covers and swinging her legs off the bed and on to the cold floor.

She walked to her wardrobe and fetched out the red bag that she knew housed the mirror. Picking it out, she hurried without looking at it, to the far end of the house.

Finally, in the downstairs bathroom, she turned the mirror to her face.

“Harry.”

His face appeared through the grey mist and she fought the leap in her throat.

“Are you okay?”

He nodded but sat silent, watching her.

She spoke again.

“I dreamt about you.”

He closed his eyes, but a small smile formed on his lips.

“I dreamt about you too.”

She smiled then, and touched his face. Then she frowned.

“I'm sorry. At Bill and Fleur's, I should've…” She closed her eyes to the tears springing to life. “I should've stayed away.”

Harry shook his head.

“This isn't your fault. We should've talked about it, I…” He ran a hand through his hair. “We should still talk about it.”

Hermione stared at him, still touching the mirror.

“I don't think we need to.”

He nodded and softly smiled again, reaching his fingertips to touch hers.

A tear escaped down her cheek and he frowned.

Please don't cry.”

“I don't know what to do. There's nothing we can do.”

………………………………………………..

“Harry?”

“Sorry?”

“Were you listening?”

“Ah yeah. Something about Diagon Alley….”

“Yes, tomorrow. Can you do it?”

“Uh… I have a briefing in the morning so I'm not sure what the rest of my day will look like.”

“Oh.” Ginny held out a cup of tea to him on the couch. “Well, I guess not then.” She stood there, hanging her head and Harry fought not to roll his eyes.

“Listen, I'll see okay? I'll floo you and let you know.”

She grinned at him and he smiled weakly back.

“Great. Mum might come and meet us too.”

“Oh, joy.” Harry mumbled the last as Ginny retreated to the kitchen again.

She called out from the other room. “What's that?”

“I said …a toy…broomstick. I wanna get Teddy a toy broomstick for his next birthday.”

Ginny poked her head around the door and frowned. “Okay…”

Harry rubbed his face with his hands. “I've just gotta look over some case files okay?”

“Now?”

“I won't be long.”

He got up and walked to the study, closing the door behind him and leaning against it. He dropped his head back and closed his eyes. In the space of twenty four hours, he felt like the bottom had dropped out of his life. He was trying to ignore it but he couldn't dismiss the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach and what it was about. Or more, who it was about.

His eyes caught a picture of Ron, Hermione, Ginny and himself on top of a cabinet. He and Hermione were on opposite ends with Ron and Ginny in the middle.

How long had it been like that? He really hadn't seen or truly spoken with Hermione by himself since…well since they traveled together on the Horcrux hunt. Since she stayed with him when Ron left. Since she had stood with him at his parents' graveside.

Had he really taken her for granted all this time? Yesterday, when she'd given him the mirrors, it seemed like a light had turned on. Only Hermione would think of such a thoughtful gift. For him. She knew him better than anyone.

Was that why, over the last few years, he'd felt like he was just going through the motions? He loved being an Auror, but he'd felt like there was something missing, something more. Had it been talking with Hermione? Like he used to - at school.

A nagging thought assaulted him. Last night. It had been… strange. And thrilling. It was like he'd never seen Hermione - really seen her, until yesterday. Her lips…he'd been trying not to think about it but…how had he never noticed them before? Full and beautiful…he could still remember the feel of them under his thumb.

He opened his eyes again. He hadn't asked her how her lip was. His stomach gave a spontaneous flip as he thought of the mirrors again. He could call and ask her. That was ok wasn't it? If Ginny came in and asked what they were talking about he could easily tell her. He shook his head slightly at his justifications.

He turned and placed a silencing charm on the door and then went to his work bag. Pulling out the small square mirror he sat in his chair, glanced at the door again and locked it.

Softly he spoke her name.

“Hermione.”

…………………………………………………

“Harry!”

“Hi, Neville.”

He smiled as Neville came towards his table at the Three Broomsticks. Using his wand, he pulled out a seat for his old friend. They clasped hands and patted each other on the back before sitting down again.

“Drinking by yourself? Auror life must be stressful…”

“Not as stressful as controlling all those little rugrats, Professor.”

“Touche,” laughed Neville. “But really - nothing more siniste, is it? I heard you've had a falling out with Ron?”

Harry raised his eyebrows at Neville above the lip of his glass. “You did?”

“Yeah! You know Hogwarts and gossip! Spreads faster than Hungarian Wild Ivy!”

Harry laughed at his analogy and placed his glass down carefully. “So what did you hear?”

“That you had a fist fight with Ron in the lobby of the Ministry and that it was because you're cheating on Ginny with Lavender Brown.”

Harry's eyes widened. “Well. That's impressively….wrong.”

Neville nodded knowingly. “Thought as much. But I know something's up, Harry. I saw Hermione the other night. She seemed quite troubled.”

Harry swirled his glass and looked into the resulting whirlpool, avoiding Neville's gaze.

“You don't have to tell me anything. But she had the same reaction when I spoke about you.”

He glanced up at Neville again. He trusted him implicitly, and valued his opinion. He decided to drop all pretence.

“So what's your professional assessment then, Professor? How do I get myself out this mess?”

Neville smiled and took another long drink.

“How would I know. I've always been hopeless with girls. Hannah was the one that approached me.” Harry laughed. “But I do know one thing.

“I don't think we're given hearts not to follow them.”

Harry made a short cynical sound. “You make it sound so easy.”

“Nothing's easy, mate. You and I both know that. But I always like to believe that if you're honest with yourself and others, it'll all kinda work out.”

Harry laughed again, but there was no humor in it this time.

“I'd love nothing more than for that to be true.”

………………………………………………………

“Ron!”

“Well he is still a prat. I almost wish he hadn't come back to the family.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Ron you don't mean that.”

He grabbed her around the waist. “Come here.”

She stumbled into him, frowning. “What?”

“I just wanna apparate with you. That okay?”

“Oh. Uh yeah, sure.”

They turned together, just outside the front door of the Burrow and arrived a moment later inside their flat.

Standing still with their arms around each other, Ron looked down at Hermione and bent to kiss her. She had an immediate and worrying reaction to pull away; quelling it hastily she returned his kiss. She pulled back and looked at him.

“I've got some work to do.”

“Ah. Well that's a shame.”

“Mmm.”

“I'm sorry.”

She fought a swell of irritation, and an impulse to pull out of his arms. “What for?” she said flatly.

“Last night. Acting all jealous. It was stupid.”

“Yes, it was bloody stupid.”

“No, don't hold back Hermione, tell me what you really think.”

“Well it was, Ron. And you, ignoring Harry today. On his birthday.”

“It wasn't his birthday TODAY.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Alright. I'll talk to him tomorrow.”

“Good.”

He bent to kiss her neck. “Are you sure you have to work?”

She pulled away delicately. “I'm sure. I'll be back soon.”

“Okay. I'll be waiting.”

She managed a weak smile and turned swiftly on the spot. Arriving in her office she collapsed into her favourite squashy armchair, turning on the reading lamp.

What the hell was wrong with her? Suddenly, she felt stone cold around Ron and, well… her every sense was crazily heightened around….Harry. She rubbed her temples, frowning. She'd always felt strongly for him, but something had changed between them, something as yet indescribable. Since she'd started working on the mirrors.

“Hermione.”

And now she was hearing things. Harry's voice, saying her name. It was a strong hallucination, his voice still echoed in her head. She thought briefly how she loved the sound of his voice. And how much she had…missed it.

“Hermione.”

She sat up straight, hearing it again. She wasn't imagining it this time. Then her hand flew to her mouth. The mirror! Her heart leapt unexpectedly as she grabbed her bag to rummage through it.

She found the mirror and held it up to her face, peering into the swirling grey mist.

“Harry?”

His face came into focus and she smiled.

“Hi.”

……………………………………………….

“Ginny!”

“Hi, Fleur.”

The two women embraced each other, Fleur kissing Ginny on both cheeks before moving on to Harry. He smiled as she fussed over him and then showed them in, through to the outdoor area where Arthur and Bill were standing around the barbeque. Harry joined them after saying hello to Molly who ushered Ginny closer to look at some magazines she was leafing through. Harry caught a glimpse of white dresses and tiara's on the shiny pages before he hurried away to join the men.

Bill chuckled as he handed Harry a beer.

“Bit worried about that reading material Harry?”

Harry raised his eyebrows and took a deep swallow from the cold bottle.

Voices from inside signaled another arrival and Harry caught sight of Hermione, her hair loose and hanging over her bare shoulders. He averted his eyes back to the cooking steaks again, trying to quell the feelings that had risen at the sight of her.

“Hi, gorgeous.” Bill put his utensils down to wrap Hermione in a big hug. She laughed and caught sight of Harry, her smile faltering for a moment before she plastered it back on again.

“Hi, Harry.”

She went up on tip toes to touch his cheek with a kiss and he responded, conscious that his hand accidentally brushed her hip as he leant down to her. Once they'd said a respectable hello, she moved past him to greet Arthur but not before he noticed how good she smelt.

Ron was in front of him then and Harry just looked at him, waiting for him to make the first move. Ron's serious face relaxed into a grin and he grabbed Harry and clapped him on the back.

“What can I say, mate. Sorry bout the other day. You know my stupid jealous streak. I'm a tosser.”

He released Harry and stepped back to look at him. “We okay then?”

Harry forced a smile and nodded. “Yeah, forget about it.” He fought down a wave of irritation as Ron slapped him on the back once more and moved to retrieve a beer from the ice bin at Bill's feet.

Once the rest of the family arrived, they all sat to eat at a table Fleur had set up outside. Candles burned and a hush descended as Arthur stood up to make a toast.

“To our Fred, on this day, the anniversary of your brave fight at Hogwarts. There's not a day goes by that we don't miss you, son. Thank you for yours and our other beloved friends sacrifice, so that we can live safe and free.”

He wiped a tear and continued, with a comforting arm around Molly. “And how wonderful it is to get together like this, to all sleep under the same roof for a few days. As much as it's a time of sadness, it's a time of celebration for the fact that we are all still here together.”

“To family.”

The group echoed his sentiment and Harry drank deeply from his glass. He was starting to feel a bit unsteady from the amount of alcohol he'd been knocking back and he was happy for the food.

He'd felt a terrible guilt gnawing at him all night…but for what? All he'd been doing is talking with Hermione. Wasn't he allowed to do that? She was his other best friend and hell; she'd saved his life how many times. Why would he not be able to talk to her?

Because you talk to her almost every night. Because of some of the things you say to each other that you know cross a line. Because you can barely wait till Ginny goes to sleep so you can. And the fact that you even wait till Ginny sleeps to do it.

At that moment, Ginny leaned into his arm and squeezed it and he tried to muster a smile. Over her head he noticed Hermione glance over their way and quickly avert her eyes again.

Because you're far too conscious of where she is in the room. And you wish you were sitting next to her. And especially because, you're starting to think she might just feel the same.

That's it, he thought. I've gotta stop this now. Ginny doesn't deserve this. After this trip I'll tell Hermione we have to stop talking on the mirrors.

An overwhelming sadness seemed to permeate him for the rest of the night and he was glad it was a fairly somber occasion so he didn't have to throw up any excuses for it. He steadfastly avoided Hermione, to the point of being rude. He saw her brow crease in confusion a few times and a stab of regret ran through him but he still stayed away, choosing instead to get stupendously drunk with Ron into the small hours of the morning.

The next few days he repeated the pattern until the night they were to leave. Getting up for a drink of water he leaned over the sink, looking out the window into the night.

And he felt her before he heard her speak.

“Harry.”

Closing his eyes he stayed stock still until he had to turn at her next words.

“Please talk to me.”

………………………………………………………….

“Harry?”

“Mmm?”

“How long have we been talking now?”

“About…hang on…two hours.”

“Whoa.”

“Yeah.”

Harry leant the mirror up against the photo frame.

“Ginny must've gone to sleep.”

“And Ron I guess. Otherwise he would've flooed me.”

“I can't believe he didn't notice your lip. You can still see it if you look closely.”

“Yeah… I thought the Essence of Dittany would work but the swelling is still there.”

“But your lips are quite full anyway.”

“What?”

“Well I… I just actually noticed. Yesterday.”

“Oh.”

Silence. Hermione shifted in her chair and Harry busied himself for a moment, arranging stuff on his desk.

“Hermione…I'm really sorry.”

“What for?”

“For always…ignoring you. Taking you for granted. I think sometimes I didn't want to hear the truth you would always tell me. I wanted someone to just tell me what I wanted to hear. But I've…I have missed you.”

He'd said the whole speech looking off into the distance. When he finally looked back at Hermione, she was leaning on her hand, her head tilted and her hair falling over most of her face. He thought he could see her eyes glistening a bit but he looked away and waited.

“I've missed you too. I…I loved spending time with you…last night.”

There was a long silence where the memory of the bus shelter hung between them until Harry grinned. “Yeah, me head butting you must've been a highlight.”

Hermione giggled. “Just hanging out with you. It was actually the first time we've ever hung out without… without Voldemort stuff or other dramas hanging over us.”

“I guess it was, huh?”

“And talking to you tonight…about nothing stuff. It's been really nice.”

Harry was watching her speak. Like many times over the last few hours, he'd become transfixed with her mouth again. He blinked and shook his head a little.

“It has.”

She sighed and moved position again, lying cradled in her armchair with her legs over one armrest and her head lying back over the other. She held the mirror up to the ceiling to look at it.

“I guess we better go huh.”

Harry watched her, his legs up on the desk and his arms folded over his chest.

“Yeah. I suppose so.”

“No, you hang up.”

Harry laughed - she was right, they were behaving like a couple of teenagers on a telephone.

“No you hang up,” he replied.

She laughed too. “Okay.”

“Right.”

“Harry?”

“Yeah?”

“Call you tomorrow?”

“You're on.”

She smiled. “Tomorrow night?”

“Ten thirty.”

“Okay.”

“Goodnight then.”

“Goodnight.”

She brought her wand up and tapped the mirror, watching as his face disappeared behind clouds of grey mist. Once it was a mirror again, she laid it on her chest and closed her eyes, covering her face with both hands.

He watched as her image receded and rubbed his hands over his face and into his hair. Kicking back off the desk he rocked back in the swivel chair, his arms behind his head and his eyes on the ceiling.

“Shit.”

He stood up abruptly, placed the mirror back in his work bag and crept out into the dark hallway towards his and Ginny's bedroom.

……………………………………………..

“Ron.”

Ron stepped forward to receive his briefing from Minerva McGonagall. She regarded him over her glasses in the way that made them all feel like they were back in Hogwarts.

“It may seem like a boring task to you Ron, but it's very important to keep a close watch on this muggle. I want to know everything he does. No slacking off, no quick stops at the pub.”

Ron looked wounded, his mouth forming an `O'. The corners of Minerva's mouth began to tug and she waved him off, dismissing him.

“Harry.”

Harry put his hand out to receive the black and gold file. Minerva studied him carefully and he felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny. Minerva had not long retired from Hogwarts to work as an advisor in the Auror department, along with various other consultancy roles within the Ministry. All of the Aurors, and workers from other departments - including Hermione, Harry knew - still called her Professor. It was habit, and as she didn't correct anyone, it had just become the norm.

“Professor.”

“I'm sending you to New Zealand.”

“Wha…?” Ron stepped forward, his eyes wide. Minerva held up a hand to silence him.

“There's a rogue pocket of Dementors down there. As you're the Department's - and perhaps the Ministry's - expert on the Patronus charm, I'm sending you down to work with the Australasian Ministry to eradicate them. It may take a few weeks.”

Harry just nodded.

“That's it then. Any further questions come and see me.”

The group of Aurors began to disperse and Ron punched Harry on the arm.

“You lucky dog. Overseas assignment. You suck.”

Harry smiled, despite the cold knot in his stomach. “Tell Ginny that.”

Ron raised his eyebrows. “Oh yeah. You're in the shit.”

“Tell me about it.”

Ron laughed and gestured to the door. “Lunch?”

Harry waved him on. “Go on, I'll catch up. Better get some more details.”

Ron nodded and ran to catch up with Ernie.

“Professor?”

Minerva didn't look up from the papers she was reading.

“Yes, Potter?”

“Do you really think I'm the best for this job?”

She regarded him over her glasses. “Of course. Otherwise, I wouldn't have assigned it to you.” He didn't reply and she set aside her paper to give him her full attention. “Being an Auror means you don't get to pick and choose where and when you work.”

“I realize that. It's just…”

“And I was hoping you'd be able to check on Miss Granger for me while you're down there.”

Harry looked immediately like he'd been hit with a Stupefy curse. “Hermione?”

“Yes. I'm worried about her. She's the best Officer we have in Magical Law and she's giving me the impression that she wants to settle permanently in Australia.”

Harry stammered and tried to form a reply. “I…well…maybe she does?”

“Maybe. But I feel like something's amiss there. She's not herself.”

Harry stood, unable to speak.

“Much like yourself come to think of it, Potter. Is everything okay?”

“Me? Wha…of course.”

“How very convincing.”

He smiled then, realizing in that moment just how well Minerva knew him. She came around her desk to sit on it, patting the space next to her. He turned and sat.

“I know something is going on. Far be it from me to interfere in your life Harry, but with Albus gone…well, I just want to look out for you. You deserve happiness Harry. More than anyone.”

He stared at the ground. “I'm not sure about that.”

“I am. And you seem lost. I'm not judging you, but I know it's your way to keep everyone else happy - mostly before yourself.” She was watching him closely though he refused to return her stare.

“Are you going to marry her then? Ginevra Weasley?”

That made him look. Her stern face was relaxed, and he realised she had his best interests at heart. So he answered.

“I think it's for the best.”

She laughed then, taking him aback.

“My dear boy, don't you realise? You don't just marry a person you can live with.”

She stood then and gathered her papers, before placing a hand on his shoulder.

“You marry the person you can't live without.”

……………………………………………………………

“Hermione.”

“Mmmm?”

“Are you falling asleep?”

“A little.”

“I better let you go.”

“No… can't we just both…can't you just keep talking till I sleep?”

He laughed softly, watching her with his chin on his forearms while she rested her cheek on hers, her eyes most definitely closed now.

“Hey, Harry.”

“Mmm?”

“Do you know about this weekend?”

He paused, a knot of unease forming in his stomach at the mere mention of it. “Yeah. I'm wondering if I should go.”

She tilted her head up at that, her eyes wide open now. “What do you mean? You have to come! It's for Fred and… well you just have to come!”

He laughed again, recognizing the bossy Hermione he knew from school.

“I know. I just…I'm a bit…”

“What?”

He ran his fingers through his hair.

“We've spoken every night this week. Almost every night since you gave me these mirrors.”

“Mmm.” Her face was resting on her forearms again, only her eyes visible as she peeked up at him.

“Well…don't you think…I mean, I'm starting to feel…”

“Wait - shhh.”

“Ron?” he whispered.

She nodded, her head still turned to the door. Turning back to him she spoke hurriedly.

“I better go.”

He nodded. “Okay.”

She stopped for a moment, seemingly torn and her eyes burned at him. Her fingers reached out unconsciously to touch the mirror and his were drawn to hers too.

“I'll see you on the weekend.”

“Go.”

She nodded and he watched her tap the mirror before laying his forehead on the desk and closing his eyes. He spoke then, to himself.

“I'll see you then.”

…………………………………………………

“Harry…”

Silence.

“Harry?”

He looked up at Ginny across the table. There were two candles burning between them, casting a romantic light on the beautiful food she'd prepared. Beautiful but tasteless to him tonight - every mouthful was a chore to swallow. He tried to smile at her again.

“Mmm?”

“You're miles away.”

“Sorry.”

“So what did you think?

“Of?”

Ginny looked hurt and he struggled to regain the thread of the conversation again.

“Of the rings!”

A familiar cold chill settled over him.

“Uh, yeah they were fine…”

“Fine.”

He shrugged, not liking the direction in which the conversation was travelling. He decided to change the subject.

“So I got a new assignment today. McGonagall's sending me to New Zealand.”

“WHAT??!!”

Mentally he slapped himself. Not the best subject to change to.

“I tried to get her to reassign it…”

“Why can't Ron go?”

“Well he wanted to but…”

“But you wouldn't let him!”

“Would you let me speak??”

Facing off they glared at each other, both slightly raised out of their chairs.

Then after a moment, Harry's frown relaxed; his face softening as he fell back into his seat. Ginny watched him, incredulous; his reaction seemed to enrage her more and she stood up, planting her fists on the table.

“Don't pretend that you don't want to go away! You can't wait to get away from me!”

Harry just shook his head, pushing a hand through his hair.

Ginny swiped her arm across the table, pushing the glassware over and sending the candles flying off.

Harry didn't flinch but met Ginny's eyes as she stared daggers at him, her angry breath the only sound as the wax slid silently down the dining room wall.

She broke the silence, speaking in a dangerously controlled tone.

“And I'm supposed to trust you for however many months you'll be all those miles away with god knows how many single and desperate witches?”

Finally he spoke.

“Yes. That's the idea Ginny. You're supposed to trust me. You never have.”

She glared at him, her brown eyes sparking. “Well there you go then. Here's your out.” She flourished a hand above her head. “Go permanently then.”

Harry watched her quietly, his eyes sad.

“Maybe I should.”

A small jolt ran noticeably through Ginny's body and she blinked a few times before answering.

“If that's what you want.” Her voice wavered but she pressed her lips firmly together as she watched him stand.

“I think… Ginny.”

She was moving backwards, away from him now, holding her hands up.

“No you… don't talk about it now. Just… talk to me when you get back.”

He held a hand out to her but she continued to back away.

“We'll talk about it when you get back.”

…………………………………………………………….

Hermione?”

“Is everything okay love?”

Hermione closed her eyes and pressed the phone receiver tight against her cheek, trying desperately to stop the tears falling.

“I'm fine Mum. Just …a little tired.”

Tired of the way her life had turned upside down in the space of a few weeks. Had it really only been a matter of weeks that she'd given Harry those mirrors? It felt like a lifetime had passed since then, or maybe that was because she felt like a different person altogether.

She looked down at the paper in her hands.

Did she wish she didn't confront him now? Hermione stared at the two mirrors in front of her and a single tear finally escaped to trail down her cheek. Maybe, yes.

But then he wouldn't have nearly kissed her, on the cliff top outside the cottage, after following her outside. They had stopped themselves, just. But she had felt more alive in that moment than… well than she ever had before.

And after they spoke on the mirrors the next two days after, she had dared to think that maybe he felt the same as her.

But now this.

They'd spoken the night they'd got back from Shell Cottage and again the next day. Then the day after she'd cried when they were speaking in hushed voices in her downstairs bathroom, she'd received a package, with the note.

Dear Hermione,

Please believe me when I say this is so hard to do. I can't explain to you how I've felt over the last few weeks, it's been like a dream for me and I only wish it could come true.

But I think we both know that it can't. I've been over this a thousand times in my head, and I can't see a way that we can get around this without causing so much hurt to everyone, and also each other.

You're worth so much more than that. I won't do that to you, I won't make you give up a happy life for my own selfish reasons.

And so that's why I have to give this back. I know it might be unrealistic but I can't be near you Hermione. It's tearing me apart.

Please remember that, I love you. I always will.

Harry.

Now as she folded the note again and placed it carefully between the two mirrors, she wiped her eyes, determined to stop shedding tears. It was for the best. Whatever had been happening between her and Harry had been a bad thing, something that had spiraled out of control, fuelled by her juvenile imaginings.

But either way, she'd known that it spelt the end for her and Ron. With a flick of her wand, she addressed a memo to Ron straight away, asking to meet him for dinner that night.

Adjusting the phone receiver again she spoke.

“Mum?”

“Yes darling.”

“Can I come home?”

…………………………………………………

“Ginny.”

“Weasley?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh yeah, yeah of course. The Weasleys. We've heard of them, even over here. You, them and the Granger girl - He… Hemi…”

“Hermione.”

“Yeah that's it. Strange name. But brilliant witch, I hear.”

Harry smiled patiently and nodded.

“Ah so where is Auror Donolan? I thought he was meeting us here?”

“Oh yeah he is, he's just always a bit …waylaid. Probably good surf on the west coast.”

Harry raised his eyebrows but nodded. The sooner he got this meeting over with the better.

Suddenly a tall wizard with long dreadlocks and dark skin came in, dressed casually in a t shirt and shorts, wearing no shoes. He grinned at Harry and then jumped up to sit on the desk at the front of the room.

“Alright then Aurors. I see we're in the presence of wizarding royalty!”

Harry bent his head, scratching absently at his hair.

“Na, sorry bro. Kia ora, welcome.” He stepped forward and shook Harry's hand. “I'm Matt, and these are my team.”

Harry nodded and bobbed his head at the dozen or so Kiwi Aurors in the small room.

“So, the Dementors.”

Matt turned to a white board and with no visible pen or wand, began making markings on the white expanse.

“See, we hear they're concentrated on the West Coast of the South Island. It's been hard to detect them because the weather's always crappy down there…but we've finally zeroed in on a cove near Greymouth. So that-” he tapped on the whiteboard with his index finger - “Is where we're headed in the morning.”

He handed out some papers and answered a few questions then rounded it up.

“5am, meet here.”

The group started to disperse and Harry watched them go as Matt moved over to him.

“So, Harry, thanks for coming mate.”

Harry nodded and followed Matt's gesture as he led them out the door. He accepted Matt's invite to discuss tactics for the next day at a pub up the road, and Matt was impressed with Harry's strategy for a multi faceted Patronus attack. Harry found he liked the easy going Auror and after a few beers he looked out at the sea view and was actually quite happy he'd come.

“Oh and there's one more thing we were hoping you'd help us with too.”

Harry arched an eyebrow at him. “Which is…?”

Matt grinned. “We've got a dark wizard near Greymouth that we need to help transport back to Australia. He's pretty nasty, so we figure it's best for there to be as many good Aurors on hand as possible.”

Harry nodded and shrugged. It didn't make much difference to him.

“Great. The Aussie Ministry is only sending one of their guys - or girl in fact. She's supposed to be good tho - and you know her I think?”

A small coil of unease started to form in Harry's stomach as Matt looked down at his watch then up at the door.

“Right on time.”

Harry turned slowly to the door but he already knew who he'd see there.

“Hermione!” Matt waved out. “Over here!”

----------------end of part two

-->

3. Part Three/Epilogue


Faithful

Final Part

Thanks for reading and all your feedback - it's always appreciated x Hope the final chapter doesn't disappoint.

**Important A/N**: The style changes slightly here - Italics are now the PAST.

&------------&

He wasn't coming.

Hermione pressed down on the constant nagging thought in her brain. Give it some time. Just a bit longer.

She shook her head though. Waiting for him again. Sometimes she felt like she'd spent her life doing that.

Or maybe she was at the wrong place?

No, this was it, she was sure. She picked at a blade of grass as she sat crossed legged on the ground.

~~**~~

Just ten more minutes was all she had left to endure.

She twisted her fingers through her necklace.

Just ten more minutes and he would be out of her life forever.

She jumped as Matt stepped into the room.

“Ready to go?”

She nodded and watched him smile and walk away before something made her call him back.

“Matt?”

“Mmm?”

“That…the singing, last night?” The Kiwi Aurors had given them a beautiful farewell after dinner, with some words from Matt and then a song the whole group had sung in their native tongue once he'd finished speaking - as was their custom. He smiled and nodded and she felt a little less self conscious.

“What did that song mean?”

He smiled wider, his white teeth showing. “`Tau Pumau Purotu'.” He watched her carefully, almost appraising, before continuing.

“It's a love song. I'm a bit rusty but it loosely translates to;

`You are my dearly loved one, my constant, beautiful love.

The holder of my heart, the star of my sky.

With you I am settled, satisfied, I am whole in your arms.

The one desire of my heart, my body, is you.'

He watched her, paused, regarding her carefully.

“It's not typically a farewell song, but we thought it was fitting. For the two of you.”

Her limbs felt numb for a moment, her lips fell open and an almost involuntary `Oh' escaped her.

He nodded and his smile held a trace of sadness for a brief moment. He tapped the door frame with his palm suddenly, snapping her out of her stupor.

“Five minutes?”

She nodded.

~~**~~

Harry walked past the two witches whispering behind their hands, as they glanced at him. He had to expect it but it felt strange, it had been so long that he'd been recognized in that way. He no longer had glasses; an old shaman had sorted that out for him. His scar had faded a lot too over time, but he guessed that with his distinctive eyes and jet black hair, he actually wasn't so different from the boy that had arrived at Hogwarts all those years ago.

The footpath under his feet was new; they had really done this place up lately. There were more shops, another monument in the centre of the square. A new pub had chairs out the front and people dining in the small, sunny courtyard area; he ducked his head a bit as he passed. He didn't want to see anyone he knew.

He had somewhere to be.

~~**~~

He knew it was almost time. And he'd done nothing.

He had let her avoid him the whole weekend. Gone to his hotel room every night, pretending that the cordial, professional way they were treating each other was the way that they always were together.

Matt hadn't bought it. Had asked him, the night before, in the middle of their third beer.

“Listen, where are you heading after this? I thought I heard you telling Kara that you're travelling for a bit.”

Harry nodded. “Yeah, I've applied for overseas assignments for a while and I have some leave before then. Why?”

Matt grinned. “Come and stay with my family, down the coast. You'd love it, fishing, surfing, lotsa nice kai.” Harry knew enough now to know he meant nice food. He stared at the ground in thought, wondering if he wanted to stay here or move on from the memory of the whole ordeal. Plus he really enjoyed his company, but Matt's intentions towards Hermione was one of the things that had kept him up last night.

“Perfect place to forget your girl troubles.”

Harry looked up in surprise and Matt placed a hand on his shoulder.

“She's leaving first thing, catching the morning Portkey when we send Orion through. After we get the bastard off we can head out if you like.”

Harry watched him as he stood from his chair and drained his beer then moved towards the lifts heading to their rooms. He turned and walked backwards, smiling.

“So is now or never, bro.”

Harry chewed thoughtfully on his lower lip as he watched Matt walk away.

~~**~~

She stood up, stretching her legs out of their stiffness.

She'd pulled all the weeds and trimmed the grass at the bottom of the headstones; clearing off the moss to see the names clearly. The white lilies she'd charmed into a wreath lay on both headstones, gently draping over the grey rock.

He wasn't coming.

The sun was in the middle of the sky, she judged it to be midday. She refused to wear a watch now; clocks had taunted her mercilessly all year.

Staring down at the two headstones she closed her eyes.

Then she heard a distant sound carrying across the church grounds. The squeak of a rusty hinge. She stayed motionless.

Behind her, the kissing gate opened.

~~**~~

She checked the golden bonds tightly binding her prisoner's wrists for one last time before turning to the Aurors. She looked at the cracked orange bucket on the table and checked her watch, knowing that the Portkey was only minutes away as she said goodbye to the team she'd enjoyed working with over the last few days.

And he wasn't there.

She forced herself not to look around the room anymore, and stepped gratefully into Matt's friendly hug.

“Come back and see us soon, alright?”

She nodded into his shoulder, gruffly warning herself to keep her tears stemmed.

“Hermione.”

She heard Matt's voice vibrate through his chest. He had his hands on her shoulders now, and squeezed them twice quickly. She looked up at him, confused at the odd expression on his face. He raised his eyebrows and motioned his head slightly.

She turned to look.

Harry was standing there, in the doorway. Managing to look out of breath, shocked, dazed and ill all at the same time.

He mouthed her name but no sound came out. She stared, as if not sure if he was real.

“Go.” Matt tilted his head. “Don't think, just go.”

She nodded curtly, and somehow her legs carried her towards Harry. He stood frozen, watching.

“Breathe.” She muttered quietly to herself as she got nearer to him.

“Just breathe.”

~~**~~

Standing at the edge of the footpath, Harry waited for a car to pass before crossing the road.

He walked to the gate and stared at the church, so different now with summer blooms in the trees surrounding it. In his memories of it, it was always snow covered, deep snow drifts lining the path.

He ran his hand on the fence. Now that he was here, at the moment he'd waited on for so long, he felt like savoring it.

She might not be here.

It was a very real possibility.

Could he take it? He closed his eyes, remembering the feel of her hand in his, on the night they had found his parents graves, here, together. Why hadn't he realised then?

He could take it if she wasn't here. He'd just wait some more.

Slowly, he went forward and opened the gate.

~~**~~

It had hit him with a force that had propelled him out of the chair and to the door of his room, wrenching it open.

He was striding down the halls of the old hotel before he really knew what he was doing.

But suddenly all the reasons, the rules, the anguish and torment had dissolved and he'd felt like he was zeroing in on one small dot on the letter he'd been reading.

It was another one from Ginny. Another just the same as the many others he'd been receiving, from both Molly and Ginny. Although the tone was different every time, sometimes scathing and bitter, sometimes telling him he could take his time and make sure this is what he really wanted - they were always in the same vein.

Still he'd been reading and rereading the letters, never replying but carrying the guilt with him every day from morning till night. Now the last letter was lying abandoned on the floor of his room, where it had fallen from his hands.

He sped up, running now, and dodging people in the hall, punching the lift buttons and waiting a beat before darting over to the stairwell. He apparated down as many flights as was safe in a muggle hotel but still couldn't get to the lobby fast enough.

“Be there. Please still be there.”

He murmured the words through numb lips, the desperation starting to grip him.

“Hermione.” He practiced the sound of her name on his tongue.

Then he was at the room he knew the Portkey was leaving from.

He took a shaky breath.

~~**~~

“You're here.”

He smiled, taking her in, small and fragile, standing in the grass in front of his parents' graves. The white lilies behind her seemed to glow, struck by the bright sunshine.

“So are you.”

He walked towards her, slowly, and with every step it felt like something in him was unraveling. She hadn't smiled at him yet, just stared, as if unsure he was really there and not of her imagination.

A few steps from her he stopped.

“I've missed you.”

She smiled sadly and her response was almost a whisper. “I've always missed you. Even when I was with you.”

He nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. Then he cleared his throat and wondered how, in a moment like this, one he'd been waiting on for so long, he could feel nervous. He wanted to step closer to her but something about her seemed as if she was fragile as glass.

He stayed still and gestured at the headstones.

“Thanks. They're really beautiful.”

She glanced back at the lilies and smiled, reaching out and touching one gently.

“I thought they were fitting.” She turned back to him and reached a hand out.

~~**~~

He had taken her hand and turned immediately, avoiding her eyes, leading her away from the room, from the Aurors watching after them with smug smiles, past a few doorways until he pushed open a fire escape door.

They were in the open air now, on a tiny square of a balcony, used for smokers' breaks and identical to the ones above and below, connected by precarious ladders.

He grabbed her shoulders instinctively, the perilous height and proportions of the balcony making him protective, but now he was close, the closest he'd been since…

Since Shell Cottage.

She clung on to him though, scared, nervous, aware that it wasn't just because of the height they were at. Her fingers gripped his arms and she found his eyes were the best place to look.

He glanced around and then stared back at her.

“Sorry. There's nowhere else…”

“…it's okay. I know.”

He gripped her closer then.

“I…” Words started to fail him and he looked away. Hermione sagged a little; sure he was going to give up.

Then he squeezed his eyes shut tight and made a disapproving noise, shaking his head and then clutching her a little harder before roughly yanking her to him and kissing her full on the mouth.

The kiss was hard, determined. But it surprised her how quickly it changed, into something more gentle, and tinged with desperate relief. The sensation took them both off guard, shaking them with the depth and speed of feeling and with an effort he set her back, resting his forehead on hers. His eyes were squeezed shut again as they stood like that, breathing heavily, then he spoke.

“Please just listen.”

She nodded numbly.

He opened his eyes.

~~**~~

He savored the moment again for a split second, before stepping forward and taking her hand.

She grasped his with both of hers, looking down at her thumbs as they ran over the barely visible white scratches that used to read `I must not tell lies.' He waited, breathing in her scent, waited for her to speak.

“So, has it been long enough?”

He smiled, and reached to tuck her hair behind one ear. She still didn't look up at him.

“You tell me.”

She looked up then, and her eyes were full with tears. She smiled.

“Far too long.”

The grin spread, slowly, right across his face. He rubbed a palm over his lips then stepped forward into her, tucking the hair behind both ears then, and moving his hands to hold her face.

Her grin grew wider too as the tears spilled out and he wiped them with the soft pads of his thumbs. She laughed, the sound building up inside of her while he kissed her temple, her hair, buried his face in her neck. He wound his arms tight around her shoulders and they rocked side to side, with her still laughing some.

He pulled back and looked down at her.

“How did I not see this the first time we were here?”

She laughed more at that and he wrapped her into his chest again.

~~**~~

He moved his hands down to hers and watched his thumbs as they ran over her knuckles. She waited patiently. Finally he began to talk.

“There were so many years where I had no one. At the time… I didn't know any different. Then with Ron, I got this instant family, and it was everything I thought I wanted. I wanted to grab onto that with both hands, and Ginny was the best way for me to do that. And even though they became my everything - and I will destroy that if I do this to her…I can't control it. You're the only one I need in my life. I only need you.”

He brought her fingers up to his lips, brushing them absently against the soft skin and still avoiding her eyes.

“So if it goes back to me being alone like that again then so be it - as long as …maybe this time I can share alone with you.”

He shook his head, correcting himself. “If you can't make that decision, that's okay too. But I've gone too far now to go back. I won't keep lying to myself. And I'll just have to love you… wherever you are in the world.”

He pressed his forehead to hers.

“I'm so sorry, Hermione. For everything, I'm sorry.”

She couldn't see him through her tears now, but reached up to cup his face and bring his lips to hers, slowly, gently, kissing him. She held her lips there, breathing him in, messing her fingers in his hair. When she pulled away, she stepped slightly back from him.

“Harry.” They looked at each other properly, finally.

“I want that too. I've only ever wanted to be part of your life, no matter how. And so I made bad decisions too.” She ran a hand down his face and smiled sadly. “I made really bad decisions.”

Then her hand dropped to her side.

“And I don't want to make another one. I want… to be sure. Because, I'd wait forever for you.” He watched her carefully, then nodded.

“I don't want to take you from Ginny. I want you to be a boy who just decides he likes ME. For me, without all this complication we've managed to create… do you know what I mean?”

He traced her lips with his thumb and she shivered but he smiled.

“I think so.”

She gripped his shirt, and pressed her forehead on his chest where she felt his next words run through her.

“I'd wait forever.”

She nodded at that, and he gently set her back holding her face, searching her eyes. Then he grinned. “But can we make it a year?”

She laughed and nodded and he kissed the bridge of her nose.

“A year,” she agreed. “To the day. And we'll meet….”

“Where I first fell in love with you.”

She felt her stomach drop at his words but his gaze didn't waiver. “Where I first realised that no one in this world knows me the way you know me.” He shook his head and let his hands fall to hers again. “Where I should have realised what I had.”

She squinted up at him, unsure, but settled on nodding. He frowned at her, then pulled her against him, breathing in deeply as they kissed, a kiss that could be their very last. Finally he let her go, and she felt horribly cold all of a sudden. He squeezed her hand.

“You've got a Portkey to catch.”

~~**~~

The witch and the wizard walked out of the small graveyard, her arm around his waist, his around her shoulders. They walked up and out, down the road, to stand in front of an overgrown section and an old house covered in ivy.

Local muggle villagers noticed them over the next few months, noted the tall young man with the dark messy hair and how he looked so like that James Potter who used to live there. He came back every weekend, and so did the young woman with the lovely curly hair.

They worked tirelessly on restoring the house until it was beautiful again, the garden even lovelier than it ever was. It was discovered that the young man was the Potter's son, though sadly they were no longer alive. No one knew the story, but the locals took a shine to him, and his beautiful girlfriend. They didn't know what had happened to his family but everyone was glad he seemed so happy now, and they were made very welcome.

And it was uncanny what a picture they made, to anyone who'd known his parents, years later when they had their own dark haired boy with bright green eyes, how much they reminded them, of the Potters who'd gone before.

~the end~

-->