Being The Best Man

ShellyLove

Rating: R
Genres: Angst, Romance
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 7
Published: 24/01/2011
Last Updated: 24/04/2011
Status: In Progress

4 years after the defeat of Voldemort and Ron Weasley is finally getting married to the girl of his dreams, Luna. Will Harry return to take his place as best man and face all that he left behind? Will someone stand in his way? H/HR, R/L, D/G.

1. Chapter 1

Author’s Note: Hey everyone! This is my newest fic, it’s gonna be a longer than my others. I’ve just started writing so with school and work; my updates could be longer apart than I’m planning on. So please bear with me. I hope you enjoy! Reviews would be wonderful.

Love, Shelly.<3

Disclaimer: J.K. wrote Harry Potter, not me.

It was any other night, any other dinner, any other date. They laughed and spoke about their day, eyes shining with love as they listened intently to the other. The waiter took their orders and poured each a glass of red wine. She knew he was up to something, his eyes gleamed with mischief across the table, showing only a hint of smile throughout the entire meal. Smiling to herself, she humored him, acting as if she didn’t suspect a thing.

Opposite her, his fingers fiddled with the napkin in his lap as he waited for the maître‘d to return and ask about dessert, though the young French gentleman already knew what the young man had planned. He straightened his tie nervously as he listened to her singsong voice in sweet rapture, his doubts melting away as he met her eyes.

“Fancy dessert tonight monsieur, mademoiselle?” asked the young dark-haired waiter in his think French accent.

Without hesitation, the young man answered “We’ll have champagne and a slice of your best cheesecake with raspberry drizzle,” smiling at his female counterpart.

The waiter smiled and with a nod disappeared with their dishes, leaving the couple alone again. She placed a small hand on his and smiled, “you remembered.”

He took her hand in his and squeezed it gently, a grin spreading across his handsome face. “Of course I did, love. I even remembered the drizzle,” he responded causing her to laugh softly.

She simply adored him; he was kind, funny, charming and handsome in his own goofy way and she loved him for it. The pair sat in a comfortable silence, his fingers tracing small patterns on her soft skin. He sat entranced at the woman before him, his heart hammering against his ribs.

The young Frenchman returned and filled their glasses with sparkling champagne and set the delectable slice of cheesecake in front of the young woman. Her hear began to race as her eyes found the diamond ring nestled in the depths of her favorite French dessert.

Stunned, she raised her eyes to find him on his knee beside her chair. He removed the ring from the cheesecake and cleaned it with a napkin before holding it before him, his eyes locked on hers.

“Luna, you are the woman I wish to spend the rest of my life with. Will you give me the honor of being your husband?” he spoke, his deep voice ringing throughout the now silent restaurant.

Luna’s pale grey eyes filled as she placed a hand on his cheek, “Yes, Ronald. I will,” she answered smiling.

He took her left hand and slid the ring onto her finger before brushing his lips lightly across her knuckles. Ron stood and brought his fiancée to him and paced a chaste kiss on her lips. The diners of the restaurant burst into applause and when the clapping quieted the couple settled down to eat the sweetest dessert of their lives.

Hermione Granger got to her feet, leaving her comfortable couch and book behind as she made her way to the hurried knocking on her door. “I’m coming!” she called hoping the knocking would cease, it didn’t. She grasped the doorknob and opened the door to see her best friend Luna Lovegood grinning like an idiot on a pale purple cocktail dress. “Luna? I thought you were out to dinner with Ron?” Hermione asked smiling at her friend. Luna pushed her way inside and dragged Hermione to the living room of Hermione’s flat, her smile growing even wider as she turned to her longtime friend.

“Luna, what’s going on?” Hermione questioned, laughing softly. Luna held her hand in front of her face, her palm hiding one twinkling grey eye. Hermione’s toffee brown eyes found the diamond ring adorning Luna’s left hand ring finger and screamed. The two young witches jumped up and down laughing and hugging. Once the giggling calmed the two girls settled on the couch. Hermione tucked her pajama clad legs under her body as she turned to Luna, who had anchored herself to the couch, her bare feet resting on the oak coffee table.

“How did he ask?” Hermione asked taking her friend’s hands in her own excitedly.

Luna recounted the entire evening from start to finish, grinning from ear to ear and ending with “You will be my maid of honor won’t you?”

Hermione smiled, “Of course, Luna! I cannot wait to get started. Dresses, flowers, trousseau, guest lists; this is going to be great.”

Across London, in he and Luna’s flat sat Ronald Weasley writing a letter to his best mate. He dragged a hand through his red hair as he wrote hoping the letter would convince Harry Potter to return home. No one had seen Harry in four years, just a few short weeks after the fall of Voldemort. Though Harry kept in touch through letters it wasn’t the same, Ron had returned to home and wished to go out to a pub with his friend to celebrate his engagement.

In the weeks following the war Harry and Ron had completed Auror training, graduating at the top of their class. Harry sent word for everyone to gather for a party at his flat. This party, it turned out, was Harry’s going away party. He explained that he had been offered a place in the Auror Department in the States and he was leaving the next day.

Everyone understood that Harry needed space from England, from the fame, from everything that he’d faced over the years. No one, not even Ron and Hermione, could have imagined he would stay away this long. Ron sat at the kitchen counter hoping his friend would return to take his place as best man at their wedding. A small pop yanked Ron from his reverie and a pair of small arms wrapped around his waist from behind. He felt her lower her head to the shoulder of his suit jacket and her dreamy voice say “He’ll come back.”

Ron finished the letter and called their owl, Achilles, from his perch in the small office at the end of the hall. “I hope you’re right, Luna,” he replied kissing Luna’s cheek before tying the letter to the dark brown owl and sending him out into the late-January night. The couple retreated to the living room, warmed by the bright fire and settled down on the couch. Luna sat curled into Ron’s side, her feet tangled with his on the floor. Ron wrapped a strong arm around her shoulder and smiled, “What’d Hermione think?”

Luna laughed softly, “We had girl talk, Ron. You know I can’t tell you what was said.”

Ron caught her eye and pouted, “Hey, I’m your fiancée now.”

Luna placed a soft kiss on his lips, “Darling, girl talk doesn’t care,” she replied smirking,

“Oh, really?” Ron asked, laughing as he caught her lips in a fiery kiss before he lifted her in his arms and carried her to their bedroom.

2. Chapter 2

Hermione stood in front of the mirror assessing the fitting cobalt blue cocktail dress she’d chosen for the engagement party at the Burrow. It had been a week since Luna brought her the news; she couldn’t believe how fast time had flown since Hogwarts. Hermione’s intelligent gaze searched her reflection from the black heels to her shoulder-length mahogany curls that fell gracefully around her face. She turned from the mirror and crossed her bedroom to the bay window and peered out into the late afternoon sky.

The sun had fought clouds all day, trying to peek through the gray haze that frequented the United Kingdom most winters. Hermione found herself reminiscing about the different, beautiful skies that she, Ron and Harry had slept under on their hunt for Horcruxes. His face swam into her mind as she remembered the party when he’d said goodbye. Hermione shook the thoughts from her mind and turned from the window.

The young witch had just slid her black jacket over her shoulders when a soft pop echoed through her empty flat. “Hermione, you ready darling?” came a gruff, smiling voice from her kitchen. Hermione made her way to the kitchen after a brief “yes.” Dressed in a neat black suit stood Jason Griffiths, her boyfriend of five months, stood in the kitchen. Jason had come under Hermione’s care in St. Mungo’s after he’d been injured in a raid on known Death Eaters that were still evading the Aurors. What had started out as a good friendship had flourished into the best relationship Hermione had ever had.

He greeted her with a broad smile that crinkled the corners of his bright brown eyes. “You look gorgeous, love,” he said crossing the room and laying a kiss on her cheek.

“Thank you,” Hermione replied blushing. She reached a small hand and flattened his disheveled brown hair. “You’re hair always gets messed up when you apparate, but you clean up nicely, Jason,” she said smiling.

He laughed and struck a model pose causing Hermione to laugh loudly, “I know, I’m just so handsome,” he joked kissing her lightly on the lips.

Hermione smiled against his lips and pulled away, “It’s time we left,” she stated taking his hand. The couple vanished with a small pop.

Across the Atlantic, in an apartment I New York sat 21 year-old Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Conquered. The young man stood on the balcony of his apartment overlooking the city, a letter clutched in his hand. His mind swam with different emotions as his mind repeated the sentences from his best mate once more.

Harry,

I hope all is well with you, mate. I have some news for you, I’m engaged. Popped the question tonight at dinner and can you believe it, mate, she said yes. We’re planning on a short engagement so there’s a lot to be done. You’re my best man, Harry. There’s no one else I’d have beside me. It’d mean the world to us if you’d come and take your place. Though, I understand you hate the limelight and are probably enjoying being in the States, where not everyone knows who you are. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your Friend,

Ron

The wind ruffled Harry’s jet-black hair as he walked back inside his modest apartment off Times Square. I cannot believe Ron’s getting married, that mean, he thought to himself, silencing the thought before it even began. Nodding to himself, he waved his wand and packed the contents of his apartment into suitcases. He was moving back to London, even he couldn’t believe it. Harry quickly called up his landlord and canceled his lease, then called his boss and asked for a transfer back to the Ministry of Magic. It’s not as if Harry had made roots in the States, it was just a way to escape and forget.

Now even that period was over, it was time to return home to his friends, his old life, to her. Harry apparated with a small pop, picturing the red phone booth that led underground to the Ministry of Magic, ready to see everyone he’d left behind.

The Burrow was bustling with people as the sun began to fall to the horizon. Everyone had come out to celebrate the engagement of Ron and Luna. The tent from Bill and Fleur’s wedding covered the expanse of the yard to house the guests. Along one wall were tables full of food and drinks, tables were set up around the dance floor. Molly Weasley had outdone herself this time, and Hermione had told her so when she and Jason had arrived.

“Why thank you, dear,” she replied pulling Hermione into a fierce hug, then Jason in turn. “Go on and enjoy yourselves,” she continued for before heading back into the house to continue cooking.

Hermione and Jason made their way across the expansive lawn of the Burrow, pausing to greet friends they saw along the way. Once inside the tent, Hermione spotted Ron and Luna dancing a little ways off, Jason then led her to the massive table of food.

“You hungry, love?” Jason asked, eyeing the assortment of food but meeting Hermione’s laughing eyes. “What?” he added at her amused expression.

“Just go on and eat, I’m not quite hungry. I’m going to see Ron and Luna, you eat your heart out, Jace,” Hermione replied laughing as he piled his plate high with everything in reach.

“You’re perfect, Hermione,” Jason replied, grinning broadly.

Hermione smiled at him fondly and made her way to the dance floor, stopped just a few feet shy of her friends by Dean Thomas, a fellow Gryffindor that she hadn’t seen in a long while. “Hello, Hermione, you’re looking quite delicious this afternoon,” he said smiling devilishly.

Quite used to his friendly banter, Hermione replied, “Oh Dean, I just couldn’t decide what to wear,” laughing and pulling him into a hug.

“Care to dance, Hermione?” he asked smiling, “I promise I won’t get handsy, it has been about two years since we’ve seen each other.”

Hermione took his extended hand and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. The band had just started playing a fast tune when Dean and Hermione began to dance; soon enough Dean was completely lost and bowed out. “Really Dean? You only danced for a minute,” Hermione quipped.

“Sorry, Herms but how can I compete with your wonderful moves,” he replied laughing, “I should go and find Lav, good to see you.”

Hermione smiled, she missed her Hogwarts friends. Hermione turn back to where she had left Jason and found him sitting at a table, in conversation with Neville Longbottom, all the while shoveling in forkful after forkful. Hermione laughed at her goofy, charming boyfriend and focused on the couple of the day. Luna and Ron were seated at a table, sipping on iced pumpkin juice and waved her over excitedly.

“Herms!” Ron exclaimed standing and pulling her into a hug, then Luna followed suit.

“Congratulations, you two. I told you she’d say yes, Ron,” Hermione smiled, as Ron grinned goofily at his fiancée.

“Of course I said yes, Ron you doubted me?” Luna asked, winking at Hermione.

“No! I doubted myself,” Ron replied softly, interlacing their fingers and kissing her cheek.

Hermione couldn’t be happier for her friends, it was about time they all began settling down after the war. The three friends talked for a little while longer before Arthur Weasley called for everyone’s attention.

“Hello everyone, thank you so much for coming. We are here today to celebrate the engagement of our youngest son Ronald and his wonderful fiancée Luna. Ron, care to say a few words?” Mr. Weasley announced from the stage.

Ron pulled Luna up on stage and held her close as he spoke. “Everyone, thank you for supporting Luna and I. Merlin knows I could have mucked everything up, but she said yes. Now I’m getting married and I’m going to be the happiest man in the world. You’re my friends, my family, and I promise to treat this woman right. If I don’t, you be sure to kick my arse,” Ron called, eliciting applause from the crowd.

Fred and George chorused from a table in the back, a very loud, “Kiss her!”

Ron grinned and met Luna’s lips, pulling her close. Luna pulled back and grabbed the microphone from him, “Now everyone, go eat and dance so he’ll wrap it up!”

Hermione felt a hand on her lower back; she relaxed against Jason and smiled as his arms wound around her waist. “They’re so in love aren’t they?” he asked, his lips close to her ear.

Hermione looked back at him, “Yeah they are, it’s wonderful,” she replied.

“Care to dance?” Jason asked, holding out a hand to her. Hermione knew he could dance, almost as good as she could and it was one of the things that made them so wonderful together.

“You know I’d never say no to a dance,” she replied smirking. She took his hand and the pair began to dance fluidly across the dance floor.

Harry apparated from his newly acquired flat in downtown London to the gate entering the Burrow. Wow, nothing has changed, he thought as he made his way up the walk to the house he’d spent every summer since starting Hogwarts. The sound of music reached his ears as he cleared the hill and the house came into view. The large tent from the summer after his sixth year blew softly in the breeze.

Harry stopped just a few paces from the opening of the tent and straightened his tie. His black suit fit snug against his body, the white dress shirt and black tie gave him the air of confidence he hoped he had inside him. Harry pulled a large hand through his raven locks and made his way through the flapping opening into the crowded tent.

He passed through the crowded unnoticed at first, taking in all the familiar faces and the smiles of his friends. His emerald eyes found Ron and Luna at a table by the dance floor laughing and talking with those around them. Fred and George were eating at a table in the back, Bill and Fleur were dancing slowly next to a couple who could not keep themselves still.

The couple waltzing ferociously was a brown-haired man and a woman with dark brown curls. Both had intelligent brown eyes and matching smiles on their faces. Both clearly loved to dance. Harry caught himself getting lost like the others enraptured by their dancing. In front of Harry, stood Neville Longbottom who looked nothing like the man Harry had seen four years ago. Neville now carried himself with confidence and looked as though he’d finally come into his own.

Harry could help the words that fell from his lips, “Neville, man, you’ve changed,” he spoke loud enough to be heard above the music.

Neville turned to the sound of his name and his jaw dropped, “Harry? Is that you?” he asked incredulously. Silence fell throughout the party as every eye turned to face Harry. One pair of those eyes was the girl in the blue cocktail dress who had been dancing until she heard his name. Green met brown over the heads of everyone.

Ron raced through the crowd to his friend and nearly plowed him to the ground in a fierce hug. “Harry, you came back! Man it’s good to see you!” Ron said releasing him and grinning from ear to ear. Harry smiled back at his friend, why hadn’t he come home sooner?

“It’s good to see you, Ron. Congratulations, where’s the lucky girl?” Harry said, his eyes moving instinctively to Hermione, who still stood awestruck next to her dark-haired dance partner.

Ron turned and held out his hand to Luna, who stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Harry’s waist in a soft hug, “Welcome home, Harry,” she said moving to stand beside Ron.

The wheels in Harry’s brain began to turn, Ron’s marrying Luna, not Hermione, his mind chanted. “Well, Ron, you are a lucky man. To snag Luna here,” Harry replied, smiling. “Why’d the party stop? C’mon everyone, it’s just me. Today is about Ron and Luna!” he called and the music began again.

Ron whispered a quiet, “We’ll catch up later, pub tonight?” With a nod from Harry he disappeared back into the crowd with Luna in tow. Harry turned toward the dance floor and made his way to Hermione, who still stood staring at him as he walked towards her.

Harry finally reached her and just stopped in front of her, at a loss for words. Four years of correspondence only through letters passed between the two as they both struggled for something to say. Harry simply pulled her into a hug and it was a moment before he felt her arms squeeze him tightly around his waist. Harry whispered a quiet “I’m sorry” before Hermione pulled away.

Remembering that Jason was standing right there she turned to him, and said “Jason this is Harry, Harry this is Jason.” Her heart had begun to pound when she saw Harry’s face in the crowd, he’d finally come home and here she was caught in between her boyfriend and her reclusive best friend.

“Good to meet you, mate. I’ve heard a lot about you,” Jason said smiling, extending his hand to Harry.

Harry took his hand and shook it, responding, “Nice to meet you too mate. So you’re the infamous Jason, Hermione has told me quite a bit about you.”

Hermione raised her eyes to Harry, she hadn’t told him anything about Jason, but he was trying to no be rude. “Hermione, I’m going to make a quick trip to the dessert table, would you like something?” Jason asked, pulling Hermione from her thoughts.

“No, thank you though. I’m fine,” Hermione responded mechanically. Jason hurried away and left Harry and Hermione standing alone on the dance floor.

“Mione, would you like to dance?” Harry asked quietly his eyes searching for hers. Hermione nodded and let him pull her close and they began a slow dance across the floor.

Hermione spent the first few minutes just looking up at his face, where it was once lean and tired it was now full and chiseled. She could feel the muscles underneath his clothes as they danced. Harry had grown up, but then again so had she. Harry kept his eyes focused over Hermione’s head, afraid if he met her eyes she would see her thoughts like she always had.

“So you’re back,” Hermione stated quietly pulling him off the dance floor and to a table near the back of the tent.

“Yeah, I’m back,” Harry responded, sitting down and dragging a hand through his hair. “I’m sorry Hermione, I thought you and Ron were,” he trailed off nervously.

Hermione smiled, “Ron and I lasted three glorious days after you left, that was never going to work,” she replied casually. His stomach turned upside down at the smile she gave him when she spoke, it was like he’d never been gone.

“So you aren’t mad at me?” Harry asked her, taking two glasses of pumpkin juice from a floating tray and handing her one.

Hermione’s smile faltered, “Not anymore, no. I was for a while, because you didn’t come back in a year or even two. After three I just figured you were trying to get over everything and that was fine. I understood, but that didn’t mean I didn’t miss you any less,” she explained seriously.

Harry smiled at her words, “I missed you too, Mione.” His stomach flipped again and he felt a tightness in his chest he thought he could actually run away from, he was wrong. Bollocks, he thought.

3. Chapter 3

Author’s Note: Hey everyone, here’s chapter three. I’m trying to keep the updates as often as possible. I’ve found a beta, though not on portkey, things should get better from here mistakes wise. I hope you all enjoy, please review. Oh and thanks for the wonderful reviews everyone!

Harry strolled down the streets of London in the light flurries of snow that began as he left the Burrow earlier that night. The snow now covered the ground in thick clumps, it’ll be a winter wonderland by tomorrow, Harry thought as he made his way to the Leaky Cauldron. Then his thoughts found their way back to his best friend, the woman he’d missed more than words could say. They had just finished their dance when Hermione had been whisked away by Jason, the boyfriend Hermione had forgotten to mention in her letters. Of course I’m the one who thought she was marrying Ron, Harry thought as he entered the pub to find Ron sitting at the bar waiting for him.

“Ron, Sorry I’m late mate, it’s turning into a blizzard out there,” Harry explained grinning at his love-crazy friend.

“It’s alright, Harry. I just arrived myself, already ordered you a butterbeer. Wouldn’t want to get drunk before we have a chance to catch up,” Ron responded as Harry lowered himself onto the barstool and threw back the bottle. The warm liquid warmed Harry from head to toe just like it had the first time he’d tried it back in third year.

Ron waved over Tom and ordered two shots of Ogden’s best firewhiskey, “So what’s new, mate?” Ron asked turning to face Harry. Harry held up a hand, and counted down from three with his fingers and both young men threw back the burning liquid, laughing as soon as the burn ceased.

Harry smiled, “Just working mostly, the U.S. has one Auror department so I traveled quite a bit. Didn’t really do much else,” he replied, leaving out that all he’d thought about was a certain brown-haired witch.

Ron nodded in understanding, “So you’re back, will you be leaving once the wedding’s over?” he asked seriously.

Harry shook his head and replied “I’m home; I guess I just needed a reason to pick up and come back.”

“Good to hear, mate. It’s just not the same through letters, Hermione feels the same way,” Ron replied ordering another round of firewhiskey for the pair.

Harry stilled at her name and moved the subject of the conversation from him, “So what happened with you and Hermione, Ron? When I left the two of you were so happy,” he asked curiously.

Ron sighed, “Well, after you left Hermione and I ended up fighting a lot. We were both out of sorts over you leaving and we were young and I was stupid. We soon figured out that we weren’t meant to be and we just chose to be friends.” Ron paused and added, “Hermione even set me up with Luna, wanted me to be happy. Now look at us, I’m engaged and Hermione has a good bloke.”

Harry was shocked; Ron had never accepted Hermione’s boyfriends in the past, which was most likely why there were so few of them that either of the men had ever met. “So you like him then? That’s a first, Ron,” Harry asked, his heart wrenching in his chest. If Ron likes him, then he’s good for her. If she’s happy then there’s nothing I can do, Harry thought disheartened.

Ron threw back his firewhiskey and laughed, “I know I was a prat in school, Harry. I have grown up though, it’s about time, I know. Jason treats her right and that’s all I can ask for,” he answered. The young wizard played along with Harry’s questions, he’d seen Harry and Hermione at the engagement party earlier and had always suspected Harry’s feelings for their friend.

Harry smiled, even though he felt his heart begin to break, she’s happy, well it’s time for another drink, he thought grimly. “I’m glad she’s happy,” Harry turned his attention to Tom and asked, “Mind leaving us the bottle, Tom?”

The smaller wizard brought over a large bottle of Ogden’s and headed out to serve a platter of fish and chips to a couple over on the other side of the pub. Ron searched Harry’s face, finding few traces of the broken hero who had left years ago. Sitting in front of him, was the man Harry was meant to become, though the grim look in his eyes made Ron vaguely nervous.

“You sure we need a whole bottle, mate?” Ron asked as Harry drank two glasses himself and poured Ron another.

Harry’s vision began to fade around the edges as he turned to Ron and slurred, “Don’t worry, Ron. We still haven’t celebrated your engagement.”

An hour later, Harry was completely pissed and Ron reluctantly left to head home to Luna. As Ron left he looked back to see Harry still seated on the same barstool nursing the almost empty bottle of firewhiskey, most of which he had consumed himself. Harry turned to Ron and waved goofily as his red-haired best friend disappeared into the snowy night.

It was just after midnight when Tom ushered Harry out the door, with orders to go home and sleep off the massive amounts of alcohol in his bloodstream. Harry stood out in the cold, barely registering his whereabouts as he began a slow stumble through the streets. Harry took a left, then a right, then another left and found himself in front of a large apartment building. Just across the street was a rather large park covered in a fresh blanket of snow. Somewhere in his muddled brain, Harry understood that he’d blindly walked to Hermione’s flat, whether she still lived here or not he didn’t know.

Harry staggered up the steps and leaned against the door of the elevator as it ascended to the fourth floor. When the doors opened, he lost his footing and fell to the floor in the nicely decorated hallway. Slowly, he got to his feet and made his way to the right, only two flats were located on each floor due to the expansive size of each apartment. Harry knew Hermione had only purchased the flat because of the large windows that overlooked London, neither the price nor the space mattered.

Harry came to a stop in front of her door, or what he hoped was her door. Vaguely, he began to turn over in his mind the idea of coming clean about how he felt. I could tell her right now, but then there’s Jason and hadn’t Ron said she was happy? Bugger, his mind stuttered under the urge to fall to the floor. Harry raised a heavy arm and knocked on the door, but no sound could be heard on the other side. Harry knocked again and this time he heard shuffling and a deep laugh.

The door swung open to reveal Hermione clad only in a white dress shirt, hair mussed and lips swollen. Harry’s emerald eyes took in her appearance through the cloudy haze and his heart caught in his chest. She was beautiful and he’d wasted years that could have been spent in the company of this intelligent woman. “Harry?!” Hermione exclaimed looking him up and down as the blood flooded her cheeks.

“’Mione, I…I gotta go. I shouldn’t have come, I, I,” Harry stammered awkwardly, his eyes wandering over her shoulder to rest on the approaching shirtless form of Jason.

“Harry, good to see you, mate,” Jason called jovially, his hair in complete disarray.

Harry felt jealousy course through his veins, momentarily sobering him, as he forced out, “Yeah, you too. Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt, I’ll just go.”

Harry turned to walk away, but a small hand on his arm stopped him. He turned and met Hermione’s pleading eyes as she said, “Harry, why are you drunk?”

Harry glowered, “I’m a grown man; don’t speak to me as if I’m a child.” Hermione’s eyes widened and she took a step out into the drafty hallway.

“Harry, is everything okay?” Hermione asked, ignoring his angry retort. “Why did you come here?” she continued.

Harry shook his head and turned away from the door and shuffled into the elevator. “I love her, and she’s in the arms of another man,” Harry spoke aloud as the elevator began to move . Disregarding the fear of splinching himself, Harry apparated back to his empty flat and collapsed on his bed fully clothed.

Jason pulled Hermione inside her flat and closed the door, the worried look never leaving her face. “Hermione, you alright?” he asked calmly, leading her through the kitchen and back into Hermione’s bedroom. Hermione remained silent as she settled under the covers of her queen-sized bed; Jason lowered his wiry frame down beside her.

“Yes, I’m fine. I think you should head home, Jason,” Hermione replied stiffly, she knew it wasn’t right but she just needed to spend some time alone with her thoughts or maybe talking things over with Luna. The pain in Harry’s eyes when she’d opened the door had shocked Hermione, let alone Harry turning up drunk in the middle of the night.

She heard a murmuring over the volume of her thoughts but disregarded it, he just got back home and already something’s happened. This is my home and I have every right to dress the way I’d like. Then why do I feel so bad all of a sudden? Hermione thought to herself.

The murmuring persisted so Hermione silenced her thoughts and looked back up at her current boyfriend. “Have you heard anything I’ve said to you?” Jason asked his brown eyes almost black in the dimly lit room. Hermione shook her head and waited, focusing her attention on the half-naked wizard in front of her.

“I said why do you want me to leave? If it’s because Harry showed up and killed the mood, I understand, but we can always get the mood back,” he explained, a small smile forming on his lips.

Hermione was tired of this conversation with Jason; so far it was the only flaw in their relationship. She wanted to wait longer to finally take that step for the first time; she wanted to be sure of the man she chose. Jason, however, was willing to wait but had tried countless times to help Hermione decide. Jason sat expectantly at her hip, his large hands playing with the hem of his shirt that and slid up to reveal more of Hermione’s tan thighs.

“Jason, it’s not because of Harry. We’ve had this discussion; I’m not ready to take that step. Please understand that,” Hermione replied quietly. The hand on Hermione’s leg ceased its movements and Jason rose to his feet and began to get dressed.

“I do understand, love. I just wouldn’t want tonight to be the night we could finally be together and Harry to have ruined it,” Jason replied, just a hint of bitterness in his tone.

Hermione’s eyes flashed with sudden anger, from where she didn’t know. “Harry hasn’t ruined anything,” she stated quietly, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, goodnight Jason,” she added turning over in bed.

Hermione heard a muttered, “goodnight,” then a soft pop that signaled Jason’s departure.

Hermione got out of bed and slipped into the snitch pajama bottoms Ron had bought her for Christmas and a black sports bra before making her way to the kitchen for a cup of tea. The young witch put her hair up in a loose ponytail as she made her favorite tea and moved into the dark living room. With a snap of her fingers, the lamps came to life and a fire roared to life in the fireplace.

Hermione settled down on the floor with a handful of floo powder and spoke Ron and Luna’s address before sticking her face in the warm green flames. “Luna?” she called loudly as the expensive leather couch of Ron’s living room swam into view. Soon, Luna’s face appeared in Hermione’s limited view, her blonde hair piled on top of her head.

“Hermione, Is something wrong?” Luna asked alarmed, settling down on the floor mirroring Hermione from miles away.

Hermione didn’t speak for a moment and then began, “Harry just showed up here, pissed off his arse.”

Luna’s small mouth formed an “O” of surprise and asked, “Really? Wasn’t Jason there with you?”

Hermione sighed, “Yes, and I answered the door in only Jason’s shirt, but we had only snogged for a bit. Harry looked as though someone had died; it’s thrown me for a loop, Luna.”

Little did Hermione know Ron stood just out of her line of vision, listening to all that had transpired. Luna had confirmed Ron’s thoughts about Harry’s feelings for Hermione but advised him to simply let nature take its course.

“Hermione, it’d be best to just forget this. If Harry was as drunk as you say then he couldn’t have known what he said or done, when Ron left him earlier he was just as drunk. He’s most likely home now, sleeping off all that firewhiskey,” Luna responded, trying to comfort her friend.

Hermione took in her words and nodded replying, “You think I should forget about this? I mean, something must have been very wrong for him to show up here, to me.”

Luna sighed and looked briefly at Ron who stood leaning against the wall, his arms folded across his bare chest. Ron nodded and Luna returned her gaze to her friend, “Hermione, I’m sure Harry wants to forget, better yet, I’m almost positive Harry won’t remember tonight. So there’s really nothing to worry about, but were you and Jason going for it?”

Hermione laughed, finally at ease and replied, “No, Luna. Trust me, when I’m ready you’ll be the first to know, though I don’t think Jason is too keen on me right this second.”

A confused look passed over Luna’s face, then her mouth formed a tight line and she asked, “Has he been pushing you again?” her dreamy voice full of well contained anger. Beside her, Ron gave her a questioning look.

Lowering her eyes from her best friend’s, Hermione murmured, “No, he just asked if Harry had ruined the mood.”

“I sure hope so, Herms,” Luna replied, looking unconvinced.

Hermione smiled and said, “Thanks Luna, I’m sorry to get you out of bed at this hour.”

Luna laughed loudly, “What makes you think I was asleep, Herms?” she responded, winking at Hermione, before adding, “I’m here any time you need me, Ron as well. Good night Hermione. Don’t forget we’re going shopping for dresses tomorrow afternoon, see ya.”

“Good night,” Hermione responded smiling.

Hermione got to her feet, finished her tea and headed to bed. Thoughts of Harry’s pained expression followed Hermione into her dreams as she slept.

4. Chapter 4

Author’s Note: I would like to apologize for the two week gap between updates. School and work have been crazy and I haven’t had much time at all to write, but here’s chapter 5. I hope you enjoy.

Hermione awoke early the next morning, stiff from the restless sleep from the night before. After a shower and a small plate of eggs and kippers, the young witch dressed for the day. She and Luna would be no doubt trying on quite a few dresses so the brightest witch of her age dressed for comfort in a faded pair of blue jeans and a simple black long sleeve V-neck shirt. Hermione had just shrugged into her heaviest coat when a knock sounded from across the flat. Hermione gave herself a once over in the mirror and dragged a hand through her bouncy brown curls and headed for the door.

The knocking persisted; this was Hermione’s warning of Luna whose patience ran thinner than Hermione’s which was a feat in itself. “Hold on Luna, bloody hell,” Hermione called, a second later she swung the door open and not only Luna, but Harry stood before her.

“Hermione, it’s about bloody time. You know I hate standing in front of a closed door,” Luna quipped to the young witch in front of her, whose gaze was directed over her shoulder.

“I know, Luna,” Hermione laughed, then turned her attention to Harry, who looked as though he’d never had a drink in his life, though his emerald eyes were guarded. “Harry, what brings you here?” she asked, smiling up at her friend.

Harry looked taken aback, as though she would never have noticed his presence. “I ran into Luna when I went for coffee this morning and she invited me along today, if that’s alright with you?” Harry explained casually, his eyes never meeting hers. Bugger, she hasn’t even mentioned last night. Of course she probably thinks I’m too embarrassed and she doesn’t want to bring it up. Especially since I interrupted, oh shut it Potter, Harry mentally chastised himself.

Hermione smiled, “I’d love for you to join us Harry, and it has been quite some time since we’ve spent time together. You do understand we will be trying on dress after dress, you’ve always been such a trooper,” Hermione joked, causing the first real smile she’d seen in years on the face of her old friend.

Luna stood between the two and smiled to herself. So I told Ron not to push them along, but I’m a little more tactful than my darling fiancé, she thought. “Alright, you two ready to go? At this rate I won’t get married until after I have my first child,” the young blond voiced aloud to her friends.

“So we shall go,” Harry said holding the door open for both girls, smiling as Hermione brushed by him. Mione, you’re going to be the death of me he mused silently.

Downtown London on a Saturday was usually crowded, but today the cold temperatures had forced most of London indoors. Only a few pedestrians braved the cold to commute from shop to shop. An older woman took a turn past a rather dodgy looking pub on a street corner and preceded to the flower boutique farther down the street, the small pop that issued behind her failed to catch the woman’s attention. Soon three young people emerged from an alley near the pub and headed down the street.

“So where to, Luna?” Hermione asked, pulling her coat closer around her in the harsh cold.

Luna looked at the shops that lined the street and stopped short then her gaze traveled to Harry whose face was turned down from the wind. “Harry, what was that place you were telling me about earlier?” Luna asked, stuffing her hands deeper into her pockets.

“Oh, you mean Daisy’s? It’s a little bridal shop about a block from here,” Harry responded casually, averting his eyes from the brunette witch on the other side of Luna.

Surprised that Harry, let alone any man, knew of any bridal shop Hermione piped up. “May I ask how you know of this shop, Harry? Planning on getting married?” she quipped as Harry led them in the direction of Daisy’s.

Harry let a small, deep laugh escape him and explained, “Aunt Petunia forced me to wait while she tried on dress after dress for a wedding for some friend of hers. The shop is right around the corner from here. Blimey Hermione, I’m only twenty one.”

Luna stopped short, an idea forming in her head, she rounded on Harry. “And what’s wrong with getting married at twenty one, Potter?” she questioned, narrowing her bright grey eyes.

Harry’s eyes widened and he quickly replied, “Merlin, Luna I didn’t mean that for everyone. That was meant solely for me.” Luna let her façade of anger fade, her eyes softening as she laid a hand on Harry’s arm.

Hermione’s gaze snapped to the tall wizard who had stopped walking, his black hair blowing chaotically in the wind. Annoyed by his reluctance to show his emotions, Hermione challenged, “What do you mean just you, Harry? You always dreamed of having a family.”

His carefully built shield shattered in front of her, the next moment his eyes were guarded once again and Hermione was left more confused than ever.

Amidst the serious conversation, the trio had finally made it to Daisy’s, a small boutique stuck between an insurance office and a dry cleaning business. Behind the bright yellow writing that decorated the window was a simple white bridal gown on display. Momentarily forgetting her scheme, a bright smile lit up Luna’s face and she bolted the short distance to the door and disappeared inside calling an excited “That’s the one!” over her shoulder.

Hermione smiled fondly and headed for the door, reaching for the handle just as Harry’s long fingers grasped the knob. Harry sucked in a breath as electricity traveled up his arm at her touch. He raised his emerald eyes to Hermione’s and muttered “Sorry,” and pulled the door open. Hermione smiled, her mind whirling as she entered the store. Harry dragged a hand through his windblown hair and followed her in out of the cold.

Nearly two hours later, Harry felt as though facing Voldemort all over again couldn’t be as much torture as it was to feel glued to a chair and watch a woman try on so many dresses and ask him his opinion. Luna had chosen the gown on display the moment he and Hermione had caught up to her. Though not extravagant, the delicate trim and fall of the dress turned Luna into a petite princess. Both he and Hermione had assured Luna that Ron wouldn’t be able to get through the ceremony with her standing next to him. Luna had laughed and quickly changed back into her clothes. Luna then began choosing dresses for Hermione to wear, thus began Harry’s current predicament. He had seen every color possible this afternoon, reds, oranges and a quite ghastly shade of green.

“What about this one?” Hermione asked pulling back the curtain and revealing a frilly pink strapless dress. Luna got up from her seat beside Harry and made a circle around Hermione, assessing the dress from every side.

“Hmm, I don’t know about the color. What do you think, Harry?” Luna asked, silently laughing as Harry’s eyes widened for the thousandth time.

Harry took a look at the witch before him, her toffee curls fell just past her shoulders and the dress fell delicately to the floor. To Harry, she could have worn trousers and a blouse and attended any formal event and be splendidly beautiful. His eyes scrutinized every inch of her and he sighed, and got to his feet.

“Well, it’s a beautiful dress, but Hermione hates pink,” Harry stated, laughing at the grim look on Hermione’s face as she watched him.

Harry, feeling a little reckless, circled Hermione as Luna had and passed close to Hermione’s back. A sharp intake of breath from Hermione encouraged Harry as he continued to speak, “She’s also rather tall, so why not a short dress? Of course it’s whatever you’d like, Luna.”

Luna smiled and replied “Of course you’re right Harry. Sorry Herms let me go try a short one.” Luna bustled off behind the multiple racks and the sound of shuffling fabric carried on for a few minutes.

“Thank you, Harry,” Hermione stated as she headed back into the changing room pulling the curtain closed.

Harry smiled, “No problem, just because I haven’t been home doesn’t mean I forget everything about you,” he answered thoughtfully.

Luna returned with a bright blue dress and handed it through the curtain and returned to her seat beside Harry. “If this isn’t the one she’s going starkers, I’m wiped out,” Luna whispered to Harry. Both burst out laughing, but quickly quieted as Hermione stepped out of the changing room.

The cobalt blue dress hit Hermione at mid-thigh, a black sash draped elegantly across Hermione’s waist. Accentuating each curve of Hermione’s body, the strapless cocktail dress was hands down the best of the many she had tried on that day. Harry felt his mouth go dry at the sight of the woman standing with her hands on her hips, her teeth worrying her lower lip. “Well?” Hermione asked quietly, inwardly squirming under Harry’s scrutiny.

Luna stood, a wide grin plastered on her face, “This is the one, Hermione. You look amazing.” Luna crossed the room and hugged her friend. Hermione smiled in relief over Luna’s shoulder, her brown eyes laughing as she and Harry shared a knowing look.

Luna stepped away from Hermione and turned to Harry, “Okay mister, it’s your turn,” she commanded giggling at Harry’s bewildered expression.

“What?” Harry asked, thoroughly confused. Luna pointed to the dressing room now vacated by Hermione, who was glad to be back in regular clothes.

“C’mon, Harry. Its fun the first couple of times,” Hermione joked, pulling him up by his hand and pushing him into the changing room.

Luna disappeared behind the racks on the men’s side and Hermione sat down to wait, her mind traveling a mile a minute. What is going on? Why am I so antsy around him? Hermione asked herself as Luna returned with a black tuxedo and a white dress shirt. “Okay, Harry. Put those on and we’ll decide on ties and whatnot,” Luna ordered happily and took the seat beside Hermione.

This is going so well, they’re already aware of each other. I’m so bad, Luna thought mischievously before turning to Hermione and saying, “This is so much fun, Hermione. I cannot wait until you get married, then you can repay me for torturing you.”

A look of utter discomfort passed over Hermione’s face, “What do you mean when I get married?” she asked, her voice raising an octave.

Luna, slightly taken aback, replied “Hermione, you used to talk about getting married all the time. You were always planning it and everything back at school. I mean you and Jason have been doing great, I thought you had at least considered the idea.”

Hermione lowered her head and remained silent for a moment, then said “Luna, I have considered it, believe me, but Jason. He just doesn’t want that, and I’m not sure I do either,” Hermione lowered her voice, eyeing the curtain that separated the girls from Harry before continuing, “We haven’t even had sex yet, I mean I just don’t feel that comfortable with him. How could I ever possibly marry him?”

Luna nodded in understanding and asked, “Well if you aren’t comfortable then why are you with him? I mean you have always said he’s the best relationship you’ve ever had. I thought things were great between you,” her voice taking on a note of slight anger.

Harry stood in the changing room listening intently to the conversation, Hermione is unsure about Jason, maybe there’s hope for me after all. Maybe not, I mean I didn’t hear that little bit where they both got quiet. Easy Harry, don’t get your hopes up. Bollocks, I’ve been in here too long, Harry thought. He quickly finished buttoning up the dress shirt and shrugged into the black jacket and slid the curtain aside.

Before Hermione could answer, Harry stepped out and turned to the nearest mirror and looked at himself. She hadn’t seen him dressed up since fourth year and things had certainly changed. Harry had filled out quite a bit since then, his broad shoulders and chest filled out the tuxedo nicely. Hermione’s cheeks burned as her gaze on Harry’s backside was interrupted as Luna made her way to Harry.

“Wow, Harry. You look so handsome,” Luna commented as she picked up various color bow ties and walked over to Harry who had turned to his back to the mirror and faced the girls.

Harry smiled and did a little bow before moving his hands to his pockets as he chanced a glance at Hermione. The look in her eyes nearly knocked him off his feet, she looked embarrassed. Her entire face flushed as his eyes met hers, is it just me or are her eyes darker, Harry shook off the thought as Luna slipped a green tie around his neck and began to tie the soft fabric.

Two minutes later, Luna threw her hands up in frustration and turned to Hermione, pouting and said “I can’t tie these, Hermione help me.”

Hermione got to her feet and crossed the room, wary of the close proximity with Harry after her very unsettling reaction to his formal appearance. “Easy, Luna. I’ve got this, but are you sure green is a choice. Ron does have red hair,” Hermione replied casually.

Luna stopped in the doorway and turned, “Bugger, you’re right. Well try to find a blue one that matches your dress. It’ll bring out Ron’s eyes, I’ll just go buy everything right quick. I’ll just come back and be amazed,” she said brightly.

Hermione then turned to the pile of bow ties in Harry’s hand and sifted through the various colors until she found a soft electric blue that matched the color of her bridesmaid’s dress. Harry attempted to control his breathing as Hermione reached up and placed the tie around his neck and began to tie it. Little did he know, that the woman in front of him was attempting to control her shaking hands.

Hermione straightened the bow tie and pulled the collar of Harry’s dress shirt down, her fingernails just brushing his neck, eliciting a sharp breath from Harry. Hermione raised her eyes to his and found the guards down, they were the eyes that she had been able to read for seven years before he disappeared.

“Hermione,” Harry started, his voice soft and eyes piercing. Hermione lowered her hands to his chest and a small smile formed on her lips.

Luna stood just outside the doorway and waited until Harry opened his mouth to continue and entered her hands full of bags. “Great job, Hermione. Well we’re all done here, thank you guys so much. I’ll bring Ron back later this week to get his sizes and I’ll make sure to have yours for you then, Harry,” Luna exclaimed beaming.

“Of course, Luna, I’m always happy to help two wonderful women for the better part of the day,” Harry joked as he disappeared into the changing room to retrieve his clothes and change.

Luna chuckled, “Yeah yeah, Potter,” then added, “Well, would you guys like to go get lunch?” as she and Hermione waited for Harry.

Hermione quickly replied “Yes, that sounds lovely. I’m half starved.” She had taken three steps away from Harry when Luna entered the room and she wasn’t quite sure why. Harry is my friend, why am I acting this way, she thought to herself.

Luna interrupted her thoughts, “What about you, Harry?”

Harry exited the dressing room for the second time, dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt. He ruffled his hair and replied, “I wish I could, but I have to go to the Ministry. Kingsley said something about meeting my partner or something.”

Luna nodded and picked up the bags she had deposited in the chair nearest her and the three friends exited the shop. Harry hugged both girls and called a “See you later,” then apparated with a soft pop.

“I’m sorry, Kingsley. What did you say?” Harry asked politely. He was seated in the office of Kingsley Shacklebolt, the new Head of the Auror Department.

The tall, black wizard smiled and repeated his previous statement, “Unlike the Auror department in the States, we work in partners. You won’t be working on cases alone here, Harry. You’ll have a partner, kind of like muggle police officers, you know.”

Harry laughed, “Yeah, something like that. Well, who’s my partner?” The idea of a partner intrigued Harry, back in the States he’d been undercover most of the time and it got quite lonely at times.

Kingsley shrugged, “I’m not sure who you know anymore, Harry. So follow me and we’ll see,” he explained bluntly.

Kingsley got to his feet and exited his office with Harry in tow. The Auror Department was just as Harry remembered it, cluttered. The small cubicles covered the room, and witches and wizards were all over the large room that served as headquarters. On one wall was a large board covered in pictures of dark wizards who were wanted. Those pictures whose subject had been captured or killed received a red slash through the photograph. Harry recognized many of the faces of those still at large as those who had followed Voldemort and fled the Battle of Hogwarts four years prior.

Kingsley led Harry to an empty cubicle and said, “This is your area, Harry. You have more experience than most of these Aurors, so you’ll be my lieutenant of sorts,” his dark eyes twinkling, matching the smile that usually graced his handsome face.

Harry clapped him on the back and replied, “Yes, boss. Now, what about that partner?” looking around the room for someone he knew.

Kingsley turned to the room and shouted, “Griffiths!”

Harry turned from his cubicle and followed the sound of footsteps that were quickly approaching the place where he and Kingsley stood. Harry’s eyes widened as the young wizard reached them, a pair of glasses rested atop his dark hair and he turned his attention to Kingsley and answered, “Yes, boss?”

Kingsley cleared his throat and raised his voice to be heard above the noise of the busy office, “Griffiths, this is your new partner, Harry Potter,” then Kingsley turned to Harry, “Potter, this is Jason Griffiths, your partner.”

One thought passed through Harry’s mind as he looked at Hermione’s boyfriend, I’m in deep shit now.

5. Chapter 5

Author’s Note: Okay guys, here’s chapter 5. I know it’s been forever since my last update and I truly apologize. First, I had a bad case of writer’s block then a term paper and work. Real life needs to stop interfering with my fic. I took down the chapter and added more, now it’s back up, I’ve already got a good start on the next chapter. It will be a whole lot longer, thanks for your patience.

Harry ran an agitated hand through his hair and continued writing attempting to tune out the obnoxious voice of his “partner”. Two weeks had passed since he and Jason had started working together and since then Harry had done the majority of the paper work. On a stakeout, the prat had left his post and given away their position to the two Death Eaters they had been tracking. The idiot had even shot a spell straight through a muggle’s window after the culprits had already disapparated.

Now the wanker was going on and on about how happy he and Hermione were together. “She and I, we’re a match made in Heaven. Soon it’ll be wedding bells for us too,” Jason rambled to at least four other Aurors and many more within earshot. Harry rolled his eyes and went back to the report he needed to finish before he could go home.

“It’s only been going on six months, Jason. Don’t you think you’re rushing a bit, mate?” asked a rather stout young Auror named Phillip.

Jason turned to him and smiled graciously, “No I don’t think so. Hermione is one in a million. There aren’t many women like that anymore.”

Harry turned his head slightly, so he really does love her. C’mon Potter, you’re just hard on him because he’s with Hermione. If he wasn’t the two of you would be friends, his mind called. Harry shook his head and waited for the conversation to continue.

A man next to Phillip smirked and agreed, “Right you are, Jason. Not many girls with brains look that hot.”

“Don’t you dare speak of her that way, Raoul. She is no prize to be won and discarded,” Jason exclaimed heatedly. He turned from the group and left the office, everyone within earshot quickly returned to their work.

Fifteen minutes later, having finally finished the report Harry handed it to Kingsley’s secretary and headed to grab his things. Ron sat on his desk, grinning while tossing Harry’s wand from hand to hand. “Hey mate,” He said jovially, getting to his feet and clapping Harry on the back.

“Hello, Ron, how was your day?” Harry replied a smile spreading the length of his face as he and Ron headed towards the lifts.

Ron smiled and waved at almost every person they passed on through the halls, “Oh I’m fine, ready to marry Luna and get away on my honeymoon. I’m tuckered out from this job, mate. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but a break would be nice,” he explained.

Harry looked around, everyone knew Ron from the war but this wasn’t for his part in helping Harry. Ron had become well-known for his work as an Auror. Harry’s chest swelled with pride at his friend’s accomplishments. Harry pushed the button for the ground floor and the two men entered the empty lift and waited as their descent began.

Harry turned to his friend and said, “Ron, you’ve done so well for yourself. Most of the captured Death Eaters were caught by you, everyone knows your name and it’s not for being the Boy-Who-Lived’s best friend. I’m so proud of you, mate.”

Ron’s ears reddened and he dropped his eyes to his feet, “Thanks, Harry. I just needed to make something of myself. Make the family proud you know, I mean they were before but I needed to do it on my own. Couldn’t use you as a crutch forever, mate,” he explained his deep voice quiet.

Harry’s heart fell a bit as he replied, “Ron, I was never a crutch. People just thought I was I never could have done half of what I did without you and Hermione.”

The lift came to a stop and the two young wizards exited into the lobby and headed towards the street exit. Ron remained quiet all the way to the street where he and Harry should part ways to head home. Harry stopped at the curb and lifted his eyes to the clear blue February sky. I’ve missed England so much, I’m happy to be home, Harry thought to himself smiling. He heard Ron clear his throat from behind him, so he turned his attention to the tall red head. “What is it, Ron?” Harry asked noting the serious expression on his friend’s face.

Ron took a breath and asked, “Harry, I could tell when you showed up at the Burrow that you thought I was marrying Hermione. Why didn’t you mention it to me that you didn’t know?”

Harry stood taken aback at the question before answering, “I figured since you never mentioned a name but ‘her’ and ‘she’ that you and Hermione were still together. I mean you never did say that you and Hermione had split. I was shocked to see Luna on your arm, but I caught on rather quick.” A yard stood between the two friends as the wind blew softly.

Ron nodded and shoved his hands in the pockets of his robes and said, “Because I knew if I told you that Hermione and I weren’t together that you would have come home as soon as you got the letter. I couldn’t make something of myself with you here, Harry. I know that makes me sound like a right bastard, but it’s the truth. It’s no excuse but I truly am sorry and I am so glad you’re back,” Ron finished and averted his eyes from his companion and waited for Harry’s reply.

Harry stood in the late winter air, completely aghast but felt no anger towards his friend. He’d distanced himself from his life in England to come to terms with what had happened and to find his place. Ron had done the same thing, but it could only be done with Harry gone. He finally understood what a toll their journey had taken on Ron. He closed the distance between he and his friend and placed his hand on Ron’s shoulder.

“Ron, I understand why you did what you did. You were right; I would have come straight back to be there for you two. I needed time away, and England needed time without me. I cannot begrudge you for finding your place. It’s alright,” Harry explained, with a smile.

Ron raised his face and laughed, “Thank God, I thought you were going to hex me. Whew,” he said wiping away imaginary sweat from his brow.

“Ron, you’re so full of it. Well, guess I better head home, see you,” Harry said, turning and starting down the street.

Ron called after him, “Where are you going?! It’s Wednesday, its dinner at the Weasley house and you’re coming!”

Harry turned back to his best friend of ten years and grinned just like he had when Hagrid had told him he was a wizard for the first time.

Two small pops echoed through the still country afternoon air and a passerby would swear they appeared out of thin air, but they would simply say they took a hike through the woods. Harry and Ron made their way up the walk to the Burrow, both feeling as though returning home. The smell of Mrs. Weasley’s cooking met their nostrils as they entered the back door. The entire Weasley clan had turned out for this week’s dinner; even Bill had taken a day off and left the curse breaking to the goblins in Egypt. Charlie was on holiday nursing a healing arm from a scrape with a Chinese Fireball. Even Percy showed up, who now worked at a small Wizarding magazine called “The Spell”, having resigned from the Ministry after the war. Fred and George, who had just returned from opening their first shop in America that morning, were full of life and laughter as always. Harry greeted each Weasley with a warm hug, receiving one in turn from each red-headed family member.

Harry plopped down at the table across from Arthur Weasley and scanned the room for the youngest Weasley, “Arthur, where’s Ginny?” Harry asked curiously.

Arthur stiffened but regained his composure and replied curtly, “She’ll be along any minute; she’s bringing her latest boyfriend to meet the family.”

Harry’s eyes widened, “I take it you don’t like the bloke, is it because he’s the “latest”?” he asked watching Arthur’s brow crease in frustration.

The older wizard cleared his throat and forced a smile, “No, she’s been dating him quite a while. It’s just a bit of an adjustment for us all to make.”

The look of confusion on Harry’s face caused Arthur to laugh loudly. Both men turned to the sound of an opening door in the kitchen and Harry felt his heart drop as he heard a very familiar drawling voice say, “Good evening, everyone. Sorry we’re late.”

Harry stood, not believing his ears and made his way to the kitchen. Draped around Ginny’s waist was a hand attached to an arm attached to the body of Draco Malfoy. Ginny smiled and ran to Harry catching him around the waist in a big hug. “Harry, I’ve missed you so much!” she cried, Harry’s scowl softened to a smile as he hugged Ginny back.

He looked down into the blue eyes that had once made his heart skip a beat and all he found there was the love of friends. “I missed you too, Gin. Why weren’t you at the party a few weeks back?” Harry replied as Ginny stepped back into the arms of Draco.

Ginny’s smile faltered, “I know, I’m really upset that I missed it. I was training, you do know I’m the chaser for the Holly Head Harpies now right?” she spoke with well-deserved pride.

Harry smiled and replied, “No I hadn’t heard, been a bit out of the loop these last few years. I’ll have to come see you play sometime.” Harry’s eyes flicked to Draco and back to Ginny as he took a step forward and offered his hand to his old rival, “Draco, good to see you.”

Slightly taken aback, Draco took the offered hand cautiously and replied, “Same to you, Harry. I won’t lie I was expecting the third degree over Gin here,” his smile widening as Harry returned his grin.

Harry laughed, “Just as long as she’s happy, I’m alright. Hurt her, and I’ll hurt you. Deal?” he challenged.

Draco had eyes only for Ginny as he answered, “Deal.”

Not long after, everyone sat down to eat and glorious conversation began. Ron and Percy were conversing over the new issue of the magazine and the workings of the Ministry. The twins sat in the middle of the table, telling Bill and Charlie about their newest ideas and Harry taking time to catch up with the two people that took him in. Draco and Ginny sat at the end of the table, ogling each other. The food was spectacular as usual but Harry couldn’t help but notice the absence of the bushy-haired third of the trio.

Hermione shook her hair out of her eyes as she worked, finally completing her last report and leaning back in her chair staring at the ceiling of her rather spacious study. She raised her slender hands and pulled her brown curls back into an easy bun and yawned while glancing at the clock.

“BOLLOCKS!” Hermione screamed she was over an hour late for dinner at the Burrow. Hermione hurried ran to the kitchen grabbed her coat and apparated on the spot not even bothering to freshen up or change clothes.

Harry leaned back from the table, his stomach feeling as though it would surely burst if his jeans were just a bit tighter. The occupants of the table gave off an aura of contentment as the conversation continued an easy flow. A hurried knocking sounded from the back door and Harry hoisted himself up from his chair and moved to the door. He grasped the handle and pulled, behind the door stood a very frantic and adorable rather late Hermione Granger.

“Molly, Arthur, I’m so sorry I’m late,” Hermione called rushing right past Harry into the dining room.

“Not to worry, dear. I saved you a plate; I knew you’d be along shortly. Did you get caught up with work?” Molly asked a knowing twinkle in her eye as Hermione lowered herself into a seat beside Fred.

Hermione blushed, “Yes, I was trying to finish the reports on the new shipment of books for the store. I figured I would finish in enough time,” she explained quickly.

Smiling, Molly replied, “It’s quite alright, dear. You’re here now and that’s what matters.”

Hermione smiled gratefully and tucked into the large plate set in front of her. Harry leaned against the doorway, his hands in the pockets of his jeans simply smiling at the scene in front of him. Everyone was here save for Luna who had taken the night to visit her father in Witman, nearly twenty miles away. Harry returned to his seat and took up conversation with Fred and George.

“Honestly, Harry what really kept you away so long? And don’t give us this bull about needing to find yourself. It was a girl, wasn’t it?” George asked, causing Hermione to nearly choke on her Shepard’s pie.

Her eyes flicked to Harry, who smiling simply replied, “No there was no girl that kept me away from home. I just had to figure out some things that’s all.”

Fred’s face hardened, “You’re kidding me, Potter. It took you FOUR years to figure something out, must be monumental, aye George?”

George smiled, “That’s right, Fred. So what was it, Harry? Did you find the snorkack? Man, Luna will be so excited!” This caused the table to erupt in laughter even Ron’s ears turned pink as he smiled fondly at his fiancé’s eccentricities.

Harry laughed and replied, “No, there was always something pulling me back, but I figured that it wasn’t the time to come home. I was very very mistaken, so much has changed in the time I was gone. I regret not coming home sooner,” his face grew serious as he leveled his gaze on Hermione, whose mouth formed a small ‘O’ of surprise as she gazed into the emerald depths.

The table fell silent as a small pop sounded outside, everyone’s attention turned to the door, save for Harry and Hermione, their eyes still locked across the table. Arthur rose and made his way to open the door for the visitor. He returned a moment later with Kingsley Shacklebolt at his heels, Harry and Ron got to their feet, “What’s happened?” Ron asked quickly his face showing no traces of the laughter from minutes before.

Kingsley shook his head his voice grave as he announced, “It’s Bellatrix Lestrange, she was due for execution today, but she escaped her guard and apparated away.”

The entire room fell silent as everyone’s eyes turned to Hermione, who looked as though she’d seen a ghost. She pulled her sleeve back to reveal the jagged letters M-U-D-B-L-O-O-D, now healed and almost translucent against her skin. Harry felt rage course through his veins at the memory of Hermione’s screams in Malfoy Manor. Hermione’s ears rang with the words Bellatrix screamed as she was taken away, “I will kill the mudblood, Potter. Mark my words, I will avenge my Lord.”

6. Chapter 6

Author’s Note: Wow guys, I cannot believe the reviews for the story. I’m so glad you like it! I see there’s some hating on Jason, yeah I don’t like him much either. Haha, well here it is.

The silence in the dining room of the Burrow erupted into angered chaos around Hermione. Harry and Ron stepped forward and began speaking fast and quiet to Kingsley.

“We have to put her under security,” Ron began, his voice hurried and strained.

“You’re right, Ron. I’ll put Auror’s at her home immediately,” Kingsley replied nodding.

Harry intervened, “No, why would you use Aurors who can search for Lestrange when Ron and I can look out for Hermione,” his low bass echoing with anger. Harry continued, “Why has it taken four years for execution, Kingsley? That woman has killed dozens maybe hundreds of people in her lifetime.”

Kingsley hung his head and replied dejectedly, “I know, Harry. After the war, we had to set up new security at Azkaban since the Ministry demanded that the Dementors be destroyed. All sentences were pushed back while Azkaban was made secure again. I am sorry for all this,”

The Weasleys were speaking amongst themselves, all stealing glances at the quiet form of Hermione.

“Mum, Hermione can just stay here until Lestrange is caught can’t she? I’ll come and live at home to be here with her,” Ginny suggested, concerned for her friend.

Molly shook her head, “I wish it were that easy, Ginny. Bellatrix will know that we would keep her here, it isn’t safe here for Hermione.”

Hermione stood quickly, anger coursing through her at the nerve of everyone, speaking as though she couldn’t defend herself. “I can take care of myself, honestly. I think I deserve to have a say in what I do or do not do,” Hermione called to the loud room.

Every voice quieted and every face turned to Hermione, she gathered her coat and stalked from the room. The back door snapped shut behind her; the nerve of them, Hermione thought as she stopped at the edge of the garden and gazed into the country side. The wind chilled her to the bone quickly, but she was too stubborn to retreat back into the house. Four years without so much as a peep out of the remaining Death Eaters on the loose, let alone those shut away in Azkaban, so why now? Hermione questioned silently.

Back inside, Harry spoke loudly to be heard by everyone, “Hermione’s right, whatever security measures that are put in place are up to her. Everyone be on the lookout, Bellatrix will be heading for the Burrow first,” Harry removed his glasses and rubbed circles on his temples as he thought.

She will not reach Hermione, not again. I will find her and finish this, Harry thought losing himself in the memory of Hermione’s torture at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange.

“Take the boys to the cellar, leave the mudblood with me,” Bellatrix ordered harshly.

Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy steered Harry and Ron from the room and locked them deep in the dungeons of Malfoy Manor. Not long after, Hermione’s screams began piercing the stone walls sending a chill down Harry’s spine and anger trilling through his body.

“HERMIONE!” Ron screamed throwing his body against the door over and over as Harry searched for anything of use in the dismal dungeon. With their wands gone there was nothing that could be done by magic. Harry searched his pack sifting through the clothes until he reached the fragment of broken mirror that had once been his communication with Sirius. The blue eye that had been frequenting the small sliver of glass was peering right back into Harry’s emerald eyes.

“Help us, please. Help her,” Harry murmured to the glass, gasping as the eye quickly disappeared.

A faint pop issued from the corner as a high-pitched voice called, “Dobby didn’t mean to land on you, miss. Miss?”

Harry approached the voice of his old friend and smiled in relief as he gazed down upon Luna Lovegood curled in a ball on the floor near the house elf. “Ron, come here. Luna’s down here and Dobby is going to get us out of here,” Harry called. Ron quickly joined his side and hoisted Luna up in his arms.

A loud scream echoed from the floors above, a scream that would surely haunt Harry until his last breath. “I’m coming for you, Hermione. Just hold on. Dobby, get us out of here,” Harry pleaded.

With a snap of Dobby’s fingers, Harry and Ron’s wands were in their hands. “Ready, Harry Potter sir?” the small elf asked his large eyes on Harry. Harry nodded and with another snap of the house elf’s fingers they were apparated into the library. On the floor lay Hermione bruised and bloody under the wand of Bellatrix Lestrange.

Bellatrix turned from Hermione and smiled, “Well, Potter you escaped with the help of that sniveling traitor, Dobby. No matter, I’ll kill the mudblood and be right with you.”

Harry raised his wand and growled, “Get away from her or I will kill you.” Harry felt Ron put his back against his, they were surrounded. The Malfoys behind them and Bellatrix ahead of them, Bellatrix sneered at them and turned back to Hermione.

Harry turned from Bellatrix and pointed his wand at the bookcase to his left and called, “Bombarda!” The wall exploded in a shower of dust and stone. Harry used the cover to dart towards Bellatrix, dodging the spells coming from both directions. Harry threw his body at Bellatrix effectively tackling her to ground and stunning her. Ron, with the help of Dobby, quickly subdued the Malfoys. Harry knelt by Hermione, “Mione, are you alright?” he asked touching her face.

Hermione opened her eyes tiredly and replied, “Yeah, just get me out of here please.”

Harry nodded and gathered her in his arms and returned to Dobby, Ron and the unconscious Luna. With a snap of Dobby’s fingers the destroyed library fell away, replaced by the familiar tug of apparation.

“I better call Jason and let him know what’s going on,” Harry heard Ron say, pulling him from his reverie. Ron moved to the fire and threw floo powder into the flames and called out what Harry assumed was Jason’s address. Harry stiffened at the thought of Jason, remembering the moments before Kingsley brought the news. He and Hermione had connected in that moment, Harry even believed he could have told her his feelings had he the chance.

Ron pulled his head from the fire and called, “Harry, c’mere. Jason wants to talk to you.”

Harry made his way through the throng of Weasleys to the fireplace. Harry knelt and placed his face inside the warm green flames. Jason’s face came into view, his shirt wrinkled and hair mussed as though he’d been sleeping. “Yes, Jason?” Harry asked calmly.

Jason began a steady flurry of questions, “Where is Hermione? Is there going to be a guard put on her? Where is Lestrange?”

Harry put up a hand to silence the wizard and replied, “Hermione needed some air so she went outside in the garden. If she wishes for a guard then there will be one, it’s her decision. We do not know where Bellatrix is, but we’ll find her.

Jason’s eyes widened, “She’s alone! You let her go outside alone, what if Lestrange is out there now! I’m on my way right this minute,” his voice had rising an octave in his distress.

Harry shook his head and replied exasperated, “Will you relax, please? Hermione can take care of herself and then some.”

Jason shook his head defiantly, “You may be alright with letting something happen to her, but I am not.” before cutting the connection.

Harry stood and turned from the fire, his hands shaking in anger and headed for the door. Hermione had seated herself on the bench near the pumpkin patch losing herself in her thoughts. Harry’s heart caught as he quietly made his way to her, stopping a good distance away trying to come up with something to say. She sat with her jean-clad knees tucked under her arms, her eyes directed towards the vast countryside beyond. Only someone who knew her as well as Harry would know that her mind was traveling a mile a minute.

Harry closed the distance between them and shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans. Harry closed his eyes as the wind blew the very familiar scent of vanilla to him. “May I?” he asked softly, opening his eyes to find her still turned away from him.

Harry, what am I going to do, she thought turning, offering him a timid smile as she nodded. Harry took a seat beside her and waited patiently for her to speak.

Hermione took a moment to readjust herself so that she and Harry were facing the same direction before saying, “So she’s after me, huh? It didn’t take five minutes for everyone to decide I need a guard with me everywhere I go.”

Harry nodded but remained quiet not trusting his mind to say what he wanted it to. Hermione continued, “I did fight in the war, took down quite a few Death Eaters on my own. I could be an Auror, but I wanted to start my bookshop. Don’t you think I can take care of myself?” she asked studying his face by the light of the small lanterns around the garden.

Harry dragged his gaze from a small garden gnome who had been trying to move a pumpkin and rested his jade eyes on Hermione’s face. “I know you can, Mione. That’s why I told them all it’s your decision if you have a guard,” Harry replied seriously, “I would never make a decision for you.”

A small smile formed on the young witch’s lips as she replied, “No, you never have.”

Harry shrugged, but inwardly he was beaming at the warmth in her tone. He figured he should mention the fact that Jason would arrive any moment, but he would rather spend this time simply speaking with his friend. “Hermione, I’ll find her. I won’t let anything happen to you, not again,” Harry said, his tone serious, searching for her toffee eyes.

Harry, Hermione thought softly turning her face to his, finding his piercing eyes on her. She laid her hand atop his that had been resting on his leg and said, “Harry, it wasn’t your fault. I never blamed you, I hope you know that.”

Harry turned his hand over and laced his fingers through hers and said “I know you didn’t blame me, Mione. I blamed myself; if you had never met me you wouldn’t have scars. You wouldn’t be in danger right now.”

Hermione squeezed his hand until his eyes met hers then she said, “Harry, if I had never met you I wouldn’t know what true friendship is. I wouldn’t be who I am without you.” A smile lifted the corners of Harry’s mouth as he played with the fingers of her left hand but he remained quiet.

The quiet of the night was broken by the small pop that sounded just outside the gate. Both Harry and Hermione turned to the sound of footsteps as Jason jogged up the hill. Harry held onto Hermione’s hand even though he knew he should let go, but she hadn’t pulled away either.

“Hermione, thank God you’re alright. What are you doing out here? You shouldn’t be out in the open,” Jason chastised. Harry inwardly rolled his eyes, what a tosser, his mind echoed.

Hermione looked affronted as she said rather heatedly, “Don’t treat me as if I’m a child, Jason. I’ve dueled Bellatrix Lestrange many times and I’m still in one piece.”

Jason backpedaled, “I know, love. I’m just worried is all.” His eyes found Harry’s hand still interlaced with Hermione’s. If it bothered him he didn’t show it as he leaned down to place a kiss on her cheek.

At that moment, Kingsley followed by Mr. Weasley and Ron joined the circle. Hermione felt Harry pull his hand from hers and stand; she couldn’t explain the feeling of loss in words if asked. Harry looked to Hermione and asked, “Well, what will be done Hermione?”

Hermione looked around at the concerned mean and took in a breath to answer, but Jason interjected, “She’ll take a guard of course. I volunteer, I won’t leave her side.”

Harry gawked at the nerve of this naïve wizard, even Ron looked as though he’d been slapped. No expression of shock crossed Hermione’s face, for it was full of pure rage. Hermione calmly ignored Jason and spoke to Kingsley directly, “Kingsley, I don’t need a guard. Put all your Aurors on finding that conniving bitch. I have Harry and Ron to look after me, not to mention what I can do myself.”

Jason looked as though he’d been slapped and he had, metaphorically speaking. Ron looked a little unnerved, “Herms are you sure? I’ll put off the wedding until she’s caught,” he spoke with complete seriousness.

Hermione put a hand on his arm and spoke softly, “Ron, you will not put off your wedding because of this. Everything will go as planned and you will be married the twentieth of May.”

Ron nodded and headed home to floo Luna, Kingsley headed off to start the search leaving Arthur, Harry, Hermione and Jason alone in the garden. Jason stood beside Hermione, fuming silently while Harry and Arthur made their way back into the house to let everyone know what Hermione had decided.

Harry snuck a quick look back at Hermione, who gave him a swift nod before rounding on Jason. The door shut behind him just as she was getting started.

A week passed without so much as a glimpse of Bellatrix anywhere. Hermione went on with opening her bookstore while tending to her Maid of Honor duties, helping Luna choose dinnerware and foods. Harry stayed close by for that week, popping in at least once every day. Luna on the other hand, was all smiles but not only because her wedding was looming ever closer, but because the spark between Harry and Hermione had grown exponentially. Ron busied himself between spending time with Luna and aiding in the search for Bellatrix. Jason, however, had had a huge blow to his ego and Hermione hadn’t contacted him since the night at the Burrow despite his many floos and visits. Hermione had described the altercation at the Burrow to Harry as “something that should never have happened and it wouldn’t happen again.”

With only three months until Ron and Luna’s big day it was time to decide on a cake. The bride and groom had been through at least three different cakes before Harry strode in the door of the wedding bakery. Harry laughed at the look of raw glee in Ron’s eyes as he tasted yet another piece of wedding cake. Luna shared a smile with Harry and turned back to the lady who cut her another slice of a 4 tiered cake.

“Sorry I’m late, got caught up with Jason,” Harry explained stealing a piece of chocolate cake from Ron’s hand and plopping it on his tongue as he spoke.

Luna turned and asked, “Was he on about Hermione not calling him again? I swear he’s lucky I haven’t paid him a visit, ruddy tosser.”

Ron laughed loudly and put an arm around Luna’s waist and said, “It’s alright, easy love. Hermione can take care of herself.”

Luna smiled and kissed his cheek before replying, “I know, Ron, but Hermione should have dumped his ass a long time ago.”

Harry struggled to agree verbally and settled for eating another piece of cake. Ron and Luna shared a smile as the bell on the bakery door sounded signaling the entrance of another person. Harry turned to the door, his mouth full of cake his eyes greeting Hermione. Her tinkling laugh met his ears and he couldn’t help but grin, oh how I love this woman, he thought as he embraced her in a hug. Ron and Luna exchanged a knowing look then proceeded to greet Hermione.

“Sorry I’m late. I decided to walk instead of drive,” Hermione explained, eyes on the muggles within earshot. Harry smiled at the clever witch and bit into another piece of chocolate cake.

Harry felt the smudge of icing on his face and was just sticking out his tongue when Hermione’s thumb wiped it away, then licked the icing off of her own finger her eyes closing in bliss. Harry could not look away as he swallowed the cake through his closing esophagus. “Mmm, that’s delicious. Luna, I vote this one,” Hermione teased, smiling over at her blonde friend.

Luna laughed and replied, “I’ll think on it, but now that we’re all here we can head to the back where I can tell the baker what I would like. Yes, Ron we can continue to taste. Honestly, what am I going to do with you?” Ron smirked and snaked an arm around her waist as they followed a short brunette woman through a doorway behind the counter.

Hermione stared after them, and smiled fondly “They cannot keep their hands off of each other, what kind of love that must be,” she said quietly and somewhat bitterly.

Green met brown and Harry felt his heart skip as he replied, “There’s better for you, Mione.” He took step towards her and took his hand in hers, “Now let’s go eat cake,” he ordered with a goofy grin eliciting a broad smile from the young witch.

Hermione smiled to herself as she followed Harry into the kitchen of the small bakery. Ron and Luna were standing beside a rather tall plump man in a chef’s hat, his hands covered in flour. Assortments of cakes were laid out on the countertops. Ron looked around hungrily, obviously not registering any part of the baker’s words.

Harry and Hermione joined their friends and just caught the last of the older man’s words, “Taste all you like and let me know what you would like.”

The plump baker exited the room to help with customers, leaving the four friends alone with the cakes. “Okay, let’s get started!” Ron exclaimed quickly picking up a piece of the nearest cake.

Nearly half an hour later, Luna and Ron finally decided on a chocolate truffle cake. Ron, a few pounds heavier than when he entered the shop, held his hand to his stomach and burped loudly.

“Ronald, manners!” Hermione chided from the opposite corner of the room.

Harry merely laughed and ate a rather decadent piece of strawberry cake. The light, moist square seemed to melt in his mouth.

“Sorry, Herms. Couldn’t help it, I ate a lot,” Ron replied grinning. Luna smiled up at her fiancé and couldn’t help but laugh at his nonchalant tone.

Hermione turned, not at all angry with her red-headed friend and found Harry eating his third piece of strawberry cake. “Harry, why don’t you just nick the cake and run off?” Hermione joked, her brown eyes twinkling playfully.

Harry looked up from the cake, his mouth full of cake and attempted to grin. He’s so adorable, Hermione thought as he struggled to swallow. “What, it’s really good. Try it, Hermione,” Harry said, wiping the excess icing from his lips.

Hermione shook her head, “I’ve had enough, but thank you,” she replied her smile never faltering.

Harry picked up a square of the cake and held it out to her and begged, “Please, Mione. It will change your life.” His soft, playful tone did not match the subtle fire ablaze in the emerald depths of his eyes.

Hermione placed her hands on her hips and replied, “I highly doubt that, but fine I’ll try the bloody cake.” Harry smiled and took a step toward her, his hand outstretched. Hermione opened her mouth and waited; he placed the small square on her tongue and waited as she chewed.

A small smile played at the corners of her mouth as she swallowed, “Not quite life changing, but rather fantastic,” she declared to her friend.

Harry whooped and childishly shouted, “Told ya!” Across the room Ron and Luna simply watched the pair engage in playful banter each hoping that their friends would see the light.

Luna clapped her hands to get their attention and called, “Come on children, we’re ready to go,” smiling broadly at the irritated looks on Harry and Hermione’s faces.

The four friends exited the bakery into the late afternoon sun, the wind blowing softly through the nearly empty street. Harry felt his stomach growl loudly and his face turned red as he said, “I’m still hungry, anyone up for dinner?”

Ron shook his head, “I think Luna and I are going to head on back to the flat and make dinner. We’ve gotta get used to cooking eventually.”

Harry turned to Hermione, who stood at his side, “What about you, Mione?” Harry asked, his heart hammering at her knowing smile.

Hermione checked her watch, “I was just going to grab take away and head home, but that sounds like a lot more fun than eating at home alone. Sure I’ll go eat with you, Harry. Where to?” she replied excitedly.

Harry grinned and suggested, “How about Giovanni’s? We haven’t been there in ages!” Hermione eagerly nodded, feeling an abnormal fluttering in her stomach.

Luna gave Harry and Hermione a brief hug and an order to Hermione to have fun and the young couple disappeared into an alley nearby, a faint pop noting their departure.

Harry held out his arm to Hermione, who slipped her arm through his and the pair set off to dinner.

Giovanni’s is an Italian restaurant tucked on the corner of King Street beside a small flower boutique. Giovanni, the owner, had traveled from Italy and opened the wizard restaurant in the early nineties. Harry and Hermione had frequented the small restaurant before Harry’s absence of four years. It was where the two friends often went to talk of the war when the memories became too great. Now the same pair entered through the familiar red door into the dimly lit Italian designed restaurant.

Harry and Hermione waited to be seated, chatting idly about work and Hermione’s family. The hostess, Jeanie, led them to a small booth beside the sunlit windows that provided a wonderful view of the sunset. Both Harry and Hermione ordered drinks and perused the menu, already knowing what they would order when a pair of footsteps signaled someone’s approach. A rather small Italian man in a tailored suit made his way to their table, a bright smile lighting his face.

“Harry! Hermione! So good to see you, it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen your faces. I’m glad you’re back, what’s new?” Giovanni asked happily.

Harry smiled and replied, “I’m just back from America; Hermione and I were just out for a bite and chose to come here,”

Hermione grinned and added, “I know it has been ages since we’ve been here, but the place looks great as do you, handsome.” Giovanni laughed and made the pair promise to come back soon.

Harry and Hermione talked less and less as the sun lowered towards the horizon. Soon two steaming plates of mushroom lasagna were set between the two and all conversation ceased as they ate. Harry finished first and leaned back from the table and smiled contentedly. I’ve missed this so much. Even gives me hope that maybe she does love me too, Harry thought as he watched her finish her meal.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry and Hermione exited Giovanni’s into the brisk twilight that had settled over London. Hermione stood in front of Harry awkwardly, not sure of what to do next. Harry simply gazed back but was caught off guard when Hermione asked, “Harry, would you walk me home?”

“Of course, Mione. Is there a reason why?” Harry replied as the young wizards started in the direction of Hermione’s flat.

Hermione remained quiet for a while before she finally replied, “I just don’t want to think about Jason and the longer you’re with me, the less I think of him.”

Harry stopped walking and turned her to face him, “What?” Harry asked confused.

“I can’t think of him when I’m with you. You just make me feel safe, you always have. I know Jason and I aren’t right, but I thought that it was finally a good relationship. I don’t know,” Hermione explained walking ahead.

Harry hurried to keep up with her as they turned onto Hermione’s street. “Hermione, I don’t understand. You aren’t the type of person to stay with someone if you don’t want to be with them. Wait, this isn’t just about Jason is it?” Harry asked quietly, his heart daring to hope.

The young wizards reached the steps of Hermione’s building and stopped, Hermione turned to Harry. “You are the only person I could ever admit this to. I’m scared that Bellatrix is after me, but I can handle her as I did before. Jason’s refusal to let me make my own decisions drives me nutters and after our incident at the Burrow the relationship is pretty much shot. Jason and I haven’t been right since Ron and Luna got engaged, he’s under the impression that we’re next to the altar. I cannot marry someone after only 6 months. I cannot marry someone I don’t know if I love,” the words fell from Hermione’s lips and her hand flew to her mouth in surprise.

Harry softened and took her hand in his, “Bellatrix will not hurt you, I promise. As for Jason, if you don’t love him then don’t be with him,” Harry paused and took a deep breath, “I truly believe that you always do what’s right no matter the cost to you, but I think that this time you need to follow your heart,” he continued as Hermione lowered her head to his shoulder. Harry wrapped his arms around her slender body and embraced her.

Hermione murmured something into the cloth of Harry’s sweater but he didn’t catch it. “Sorry, what did you say?” Harry asked pulling away.

Hermione raised her eyes to his and repeated, “You smell like the outdoors. You’ve smelled that way to me since those days chasing the Horcruxes.”

Harry smiled and joked, “Thanks, I guess. I mean, grizzly is in you know you.”

Hermione began to laugh, the remnants of her seriousness only evident in Harry’s mind as he replayed her words in his head. When her giggles quieted she took Harry’s large hand in her own and spoke in a serious tone, “Harry, it’s been four years since we’ve talked like this. So I need to ask you something.”

Harry nodded for her to go ahead, readying himself for anything as his hand began to burn wherever she touched his skin. “What happened back at the Burrow during dinner?” Hermione asked her eyes on a place over his shoulder.

Harry breathed deeply and began, “I don’t rightly know, but I’m not upset about it,” then he paused and sighed, “I didn’t lie to the twins, Hermione. I was being serious.”

Hermione nodded and turned towards her building and made her way up the steps and to the elevator. Harry followed rather slowly, not sure of what was going to happen. The elevator ascended and stopped on Hermione’s floor and Hermione headed for her door. She turned her key in the lock and turned back to the tall wizard behind her.

She raised a small hand and laid it over his heart; she could feel his heart beating wildly under her palm. Harry gazed down at Hermione’s downturned face and waited to be sent away but the rejection never came. He lifted her chin with his forefinger until green met brown and then time stopped.

Harry lowered his face to hers and caught her lips in soft kiss, he immediately felt Hermione return the pressure with just as much passion as he. Her hand traveled up his chest and moved to the hair at the nape of his neck, deepening the kiss.

Harry pulled away quickly and began apologizing profusely, “I know you’re with Jason, I’m sorry. I just,” Hermione’s finger on his lips quieted him.

Hermione’s eyes, now darkened to a deep chocolate, spoke not of rejection but of acceptance. A small smile spread her lips as she said, “Don’t worry about Jason, it’s over. Harry, will you stay with me?”

Harry’s breath caught in his throat, but words were not needed. He pressed his lips to hers, wrapped his arms around her and lifted her from the ground and pushed through the door of her flat.

7. Chapter 7

Author’s Note: Okay guys, here’s chapter 7. I know it’s been like two weeks. Sorry for the cliff hanger, but I promise this will make it all better.

Jason sat in his study, leaning back in his chair staring out into the starry night. His hands rested on his stomach, laced together tensely as his mind raced with thoughts of Hermione.

It’s been a bloody week and not a word from her. Guess she’s right pissed at me. I was only trying to protect her and Potter, honestly everything was going wonderfully before he came back. A blind man could tell Harry is in love with Hermione, but she’s mine. Or was mine, he thought irritably. Jason stood and went to the window his eyes searching the night.

Outside the window, the sidewalk below Jason’s window was illuminated by a lone streetlight. He watched as his neighbors turned out their lights for the evening and an uneasy feeling settled low in his stomach. “A week and no sign of her,” Jason murmured.

As if on cue, a dark figure in a black cloak appeared in the shadows near the ring of light on the sidewalk. Oblivious to the stranger below his window, Jason turned from the window and made his way back to his chair. He pulled out a book and settled down to read until sleep came.

XXXX

Hermione moaned through clenched teeth as his lips found her throat, nipped and licking just above her collarbone. Harry walked blindly into Hermione’s kitchen with the young witch’s legs wrapped around his waist. Hermione threaded her fingers through Harry’s silky black hair and pulled his lips to hers as he set her down on the kitchen counter. Harry settled between her legs, resting his hands on her slim hips. Harry’s heart soared as the woman of his dreams trailed her hands down his chest to the hem of his shirt, her nails lightly scratching the tight muscles of his abdomen.

Harry lifted his arms as Hermione tugged his t-shirt off and threw it to the floor before capturing her lips once more in a heated kiss. Tongues and teeth clashed as both Harry and Hermione learned the other inch by inch. Hermione shed her gray blouse and blushed deeply as Harry’s lust-filled eyes roamed over her body.

Hermione’s slender fingers played with the hair at the nape of Harry’s neck as she stared into his eyes. The heated lust of moments before leaked out of the couple, replaced by slow passion. Harry reached for her hands behind his head and brought them to his chest, lacing his fingers through hers.

“I’ve wanted this for so long, Hermione,” Harry whispered, his voice deep with arousal.

Hermione’s lips lifted at the corners and she replied, “Would you believe me if I said me too?” placing a chaste kiss on his cheek.

A smile spread across Harry’s face, his eyes darkening once more. He placed her hands back around his neck and whispered, “I always believe you, Mione.” His large hands came up to cup her breasts as his lips found hers again.

The need for oxygen became too great so Hermione’s lips made their way to Harry’s neck. A low growl escaped his throat as Hermione bit down on the pulse throbbing in Harry’s neck. Harry’s hands traveled down Hermione’s thighs to the backs of her knees and pulled her against him. Hermione smirked as she felt his hardness rub against her center. She nibbled on Harry’s ear before quietly whispering, “Bedroom, now.”

XXXX

Jason turned his third page and sighed heavily; he missed Hermione but knew if he went over to her flat he’d be sent home very quickly. Maybe it really is over, Jason thought sadly. Closing his book he turned his chair towards the bay window behind his desk and tried to shut off his thoughts.

The sound of his study door moving raised the hairs on the back of Jason’s neck. He reached for his wand, but found his pocket empty. Shit, it’s in my coat, Jason thought quickly careful not to move to announce that he knew of his visitor. He heard the soft click of heels on the hardwood floor then the sound stopped. Jason scarcely breathed as he heard a woman’s mocking voice say, “I know that you know I am here, Jason Griffiths. Turn around slowly and let’s have a chat.”

XXXX

Harry led Hermione by the hand down the hallway to Hermione’s bedroom then to the bed. With a snap of his fingers the door closed. Harry’s eyes were fixed on Hermione’s in the darkened room. Hermione’s hands trailed down Harry’s chest leaving a trail of fire in their wake and came to rest on the button of his jeans. Harry inhaled a breath as she slowly lowered his jeans down his legs then he kicked them away.

Hermione reached to the clasp of her simple white bra and shed the undergarment. Harry reached for her and kissed her pouty lips feeling her melt against him. The pair kissed lazily as Harry lowered Hermione to the cold sheets of her bed. His hands began to lazy knead her breasts, his calloused palms passing over her hardened nipples eliciting loud moans from the witch beneath him. Hermione’s hands gripped Harry’s shoulders as his hand travel from her chest to her center. Harry found her already wet for him and felt himself harden further at the thought.

Harry slipped a finger inside her wet folds and Hermione breathed a soft, “yes.” Harry inserted another finger and began circling her bundle of nerves with his thumb. Hermione started to climb fast, her breathy moans getting louder and louder until she shattered beneath him. A lazy smile played on her lips as Harry kissed her softly.

The kiss quickly became more passionate and Harry found himself removing his boxers and her underwear leaving both of them gloriously naked. Hermione’s eyes fell to his erection; she reached out a hand and stroked him causing Harry to groan loudly.

“Mione, if you keep that up,” Harry said his voice strangled with need. Hermione smiled slyly and flipped them over so she towered above Harry. Hermione leaned close to Harry’s cock and licked his shaft. Harry moaned while Hermione began swirling her tongue around the head. When Harry got close he stilled her actions and pulled her to him.

She smiled down at him and kissed him hard, biting his bottom lip. Harry growled and placed his hand on her sensitive nub and pressed his thumb down. Hermione moaned loudly against his mouth as Harry began kissing her again. Hermione began to writhe above him so Harry gently laid her down on the bed and positioned himself between her legs.

XXXX

Jason turned and found Bellatrix Lestrange standing in his study, her wand trained on him. Her lips curled into a malicious smile as she said “Now then, where is she?” Jason stilled, Hermione, he thought but aloud he said, “Who?”

The smile fell from her lips as she replied, “Potter’s mudblood, you are her boyfriend. Tell me where she is and I may let you live.” Bellatrix stalked towards his desk and perched her light frame on the edge of his desk and began twirling her wand.

Jason recoiled and replied, “You actually think I’m going to tell you anything. Kill me if you like, but you won’t harm her.”

Bellatrix laughed loudly and exclaimed, “So you do have a backbone, I shall quite enjoy breaking you. I’m out of practice; crucio,” pointing her wand at the young Auror.

The pain was like nothing Jason had ever felt, he writhed on the floor refusing to scream. He felt the pain stop, his body felt drained as he raised himself to his knees and looked at the witch before him. “I will tell you nothing,” Jason said struggling for words.

Bellatrix merely smirked, “Oh you will, Jason. You see, you’re going to have a change of heart.”

XXXX

Harry looked down at Hermione, stilling his actions. He took a deep breath and leaned down so his face was close to hers. “Mione, before we do this you have to know something. This isn’t a one-time thing for me; I can’t have you once and then never again. I love you with everything I am,” Harry whispered his heart catching as he voiced his deepest secret.

Hermione took his face in her hands and whispered, “I want you, Harry. All of you, I love you.” She captured his lips and reached between them and guided him to her entrance. Colors exploded behind Harry’s eyelids as he entered her for the first time. He inched inside her slowly, trying to minimize the pain. He reached her barrier and stilled, reaching for her hands and lacing them together above her head. He placed his lips on hers and kissed her with all of his might and pushed through her barrier.

Hermione made a small noise of pain and Harry stilled kissing away the tears that had fallen. “I love you,” Harry whispered waiting for her signal.

The pain ebbed and was replaced with the most amazing feeling. Hermione lifted her hips eliciting a groan from the wizard above her. Harry began a slow rhythm, pushing into her slowly. Harry kissed every inch of her he could reach as he brought them both higher and higher. Hermione’s abdomen was aflame with pleasure as she felt her muscles tighten until she fell apart shuddering. Harry followed moments later, her name on his lips as he collapsed beside her.

Harry pulled her against him and placed a kiss on her forehead. Hermione snuggled up against him and placed a kiss above his heart. “I love you too, Harry,” Hermione said quietly looking up into his face. Harry smiled and closed his eyes, letting sleep take him.

XXXX

Bellatrix quietly exited the flat of Auror Jason Griffiths laughing as she disappeared into the night with a very quiet pop. Minutes later, a tall cloaked form exited the flat and headed in the opposite direction without a sound.

XXXX

Harry awoke to the sun streaming in through Hermione’s window. A smile spread across his face as he found his glasses on her nightstand; reaching for her he found the bed empty save for himself. Harry quickly tugged on his jeans and left the room. Harry made his way down the hall and the voices met his ears, “OH MY GOD! How was it?” Luna exclaimed excitedly.

Harry suppressed a laugh as he imagined Hermione’s blushing face as he made his way into the kitchen loudly announcing his presence by letting his feet fall a little harder than normal. Luna had perched herself on the kitchen counter, Hermione stood leaning on the counter beside her smiling shyly.

“Morning ladies,” Harry called jovially pulling Luna into a friendly hug. The petite blonde witch hugged his neck tightly and whispered, “Harry, I’m so happy for you.”

Harry grinned and winked before placing a small kiss on Hermione’s cheek and embracing her. Hermione quickly melted against him, her ear listening to the beating of his heart. Hermione pulled back and looked into his eyes and asked, “How did you sleep?”

Harry’s grin softened to small smile, “Best I’ve slept in my life actually,” he replied softly.

Hermione blushed and replied, “Me too.”

Luna scoffed and began laughing, “Honestly you two, you shagged and you’re dancing around the fact. You’re madly in love, anyone can see that.”

Harry and Hermione began to laugh, the careful awkwardness broken by Luna’s words. Harry scooped her up into his arms and kissed her soundly. Hermione kissed him back feverishly but quickly pulled away before things escalated.

A loud pop echoed through the kitchen as Ron appeared looking very distressed. Ron turned to speak but words failed him as he took in the completely not platonic embrace of his two best friends and a grin spread across his freckled face.

Harry smiled at him over Hermione’s head and the two men shared a secret look. “It’s about bloody time, you two,” Ron said quickly making his way over to Luna.

Hermione hopped up on the counter beside Luna and asked, “Ron, why did you rush over here? Shouldn’t you be at work by now?” Harry glanced up at the clock and realized it was well past noon.

Ron’s jovial grin sobered to a grim set of lips as he said “Bellatrix has started whatever plan she’s concocted. Jason found a body last night close to his home.”

Hermione paled, “Who was it?” she demanded.

Ron shrugged and replied stiffly, “We don’t know yet, it was a muggle who, well, who resembled you very closely, Hermione.”

Hermione put her head in her hands, “I cannot believe this. She must have completely lost her mind to attack people who look like me,” she said through her hands.

Harry took her hand in his and assured her, “It’ll be alright, Mione. We’ll find her and we’ll stop her.”

Hermione nodded and jumped down from the counter and said, “I’m going to take a shower,” and disappeared from the kitchen.

Ron and Luna exchanged a look then Luna said, “Harry, we think it’s best for you to stay close to Hermione. Bellatrix isn’t playing around, she’ll kill her if she gets the chance and that is not going to happen.”

Harry nodded, “I won’t leave her side if she wants it that way. How’s Jason?” he directed his question at his best friend.

Ron shrugged and replied, “He seemed a bit down, a bit out of it. Guess Hermione breaking up with him hit him hard. Don’t worry about it, mate.” Ron clapped him on the back and he and Luna bid Harry goodbye and apparated home.

Harry made his way to the bathroom, the sound of the shower greeting his ears. Harry knocked on the door and asked, “Mione? Can I come in?”

A short “yes” greeted his request and he stepped into the large bathroom. Hermione stood in the shower letting the water pour over her, Harry could tell from across the room that she was stressed.

Hermione turned her head and asked softly, “Harry, will you just hold me?”

Harry divested himself of his boxers and jeans and stepped into the shower behind Hermione. She turned to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. Harry folded her in his arms and rested his head atop hers. Hermione sighed against his chest and said, “Harry, people are dying because of me. I just want to run into the street and scream until she finds me.”

Harry squeezed her and kissed her wet hair before replying, “Hermione, I can’t let you do that. You didn’t let me do that back in school because it would have meant my death. I’ll protect you like you always protected me.”

Hermione nodded and kissed his neck, “I love you, Harry. It was hell without you here, how I’ve missed your arms around me.”

Harry quietly replied, “I love you, Mione. I’ll never leave you again, I promise.”

Hermione smiled, calmed completely as only Harry could and said, “Make love to me,”

Harry lowered his mouth to hers in a deep kiss as the water poured over their bodies.