Unofficial Portkey Archive

Perceptions from a Lady by Scarlet Emma
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Perceptions from a Lady

Scarlet Emma

Disclaimer: These characters are not mine.

This is an AU story. I had this idea and wanted to see if anyone would like it. So this is just a test try chapter, to see if anyone likes it. Hope you enjoy and hear from you soon.

Perceptions from a Lady

Just a Start

(Hermione POV)

They're at it again. Honestly, is it so important for people to be in a relationship? Is it so wrong to be single? There is only one thing worst than feeling single. It's when you're surrounded by power driven people that don't want to be single. I mean girls batting their eyes, while boys strut around like god-sent gifts. Seriously, there are more valuable things then her chest size or his shoe size.

< Girlish giggle> "You're so funny."

Of course my dimwits I call friends, don't help how I feel with the matter. First there is Ron Weasley who is Hogwarts resident joker. Actually their whole family is funny, but Ron definitely was the most compassionate one. Also he has that dashing smile and famous dimples. Then his trademark flaming hair, which always blew gently against the wind was irresistible. And how could I forget how my roommates go on and on, of how tall and handsome he is.

<More girlish giggle> "That's incredible."

Harry…well what else can I say about Harry. I have grown to know him as the boy-who-lived, youngest Quidditch player of the century, and Hogwarts heartthrob. Yet somehow he can just surpass all of those things with his piercing emerald eyes and unruly midnight hair. And that boyish grin, which could make anyone, do his bidding. At least that is what all the other girls say.

<Sigh>

And then there is me, Hermione Bookworm Granger. I am such a plain Jane that I'm starting to wonder why I belong here. Sure I have a petite slender figure, but that doesn't help when I'm compared to full-figured girls in my grade. Also my dull brown eyes scream boring. I really hate the color brown. First I have my muddy hair that many can mistake as a small bush. Second I have no ability to flirt naturally. I really do envy those that can. How did my usual nightly entries turn into a whine feast? I really can't stand being surround by these lovely dovey people!

"Mione…Mione," my shoulder was pushed forward. "I've been trying to get your attention for the last 5 minutes." A peeved Ginny stood behind me.

"Sorry Gin," I quickly covered my journal. "What can I do for you?"

"Nothing for me, but Missy wanted to see you."

"Oh okay, thanks Ginny." I turned to say more but noticed how rapidly she went to speak with her new fling. I scanned to see if my friends wanted to go, but saw them surrounded by 4th and 5th years. Well they seem occupied.

"Professor Evans, did you want to speak with me?" I questioned from the doorframe. She glanced up from her work and smiled immediately at me. Soon I sat across my favorite teacher, glancing over her appearance for the day. Her wavy blonde hair was braided today, allowing her oval face more definition. Behind her chic gold frames were crystal blue eyes that seem to magnify by her lens. She was beautiful, intelligent, caring, and a wonderful teacher. How could I not adore her?

"Hermione, how are you today?"

"I'm well Professor, thank you for asking." I saw her lips curl into a wider grin.

"After all these years, I think you're the only person that still calls me that." I blushed from childhood habits. "Anyway the reason I asked you here was to discuss your research paper." I suddenly felt queasy all over.

"Did the other Professors not like it? Was it too bold? Am I going to fail? I knew I should have done my hypothesis on potions and charms making instead." She placed her hands on me, trying to stop my nervous rambling.

"Calm down dear," I felt my pulse slow down. "Just sit down and breath." I sat meekly in my sit while she finished her speech. "Opposite to what you think, we were all very impressed with your paper. Not only was it well written, but also you made brave statements showing accurate evidence proving them. If your name wasn't on it, many of us would have assumed it to be someone else's work. You wrote a very inspiring piece.

"So I didn't fail?" I finally dared to speak out loud. She only laughed in response and sat next to me.

"Hermione, have you heard a word I have said? We loved it. In fact it was so perfect we couldn't even grade it. If we did, no one would come close to comparison." I flushed even more mumbling my thanks. "Do you take muggle classes during your holiday? There is no possible way for you to have written your paper without it."

"Before I turned 13, I was tutored by my aunt. Then I have been attending workshops and lectures at Oxford or Cambridge."

"What…How did you have such an opportunity?"

"My parents know many of the Broad of Directors, and have patients who are professors." I stated indifferently.

"Your parents must think very highly of you." Her voice seemed edgy at the mention of my parents.

"They have always believed my knowledge should be expanded and my abilities are above average."

"I see. I would agree with most of their opinion." Her gently eyes dimmed in mid-sentence. "They…I want to ask you if you would like a change this summer?"

"What kind of change?"

"There is an internship open from the G.R.E.A.T Association this summer. Would you be interested in working with them?" I felt my eyes bulge with shock.

"You mean the Great Realize Educational Achievement Today?"

"So you have heard of them?" She replied sarcastically.

"Heard of them! They are not only the best research center for the magical community, but also has intertwined themselves into muggle society as well."

"Would you like to be apart of it?"

"They are allowing me?"

"Hermione, they are begging for you to join." She held my hands tighter, while looking directly at me.

"They…you…I would love too!" I squealed with delight and hugged her. "Thank you…Thank you!"

"Oh, you still need to hear the rest of it." She laughed whole heartily. "They are going to pay you a handsome wage and provide everything you need with your cost of living."

"Wait, it's not in London?"

"No," she had smiled mischievously. "Athens, Greece for 3 months."

"Greece?" I whispered out. "I'm going to Greece. Dear Merlin, I'm going to Greece!" I started jumping with joy not caring how I looked.

"I'm very proud of you."

"Thank you," I hugged her again.

"Your welcome."

"Hey Lily, I was…oh I'm sorry for interrupting." Professor Lupin paused in his step. "I'll come back later."

"It's perfectly fine Remus. Hermione and I were just discussing her summer plans."

"Her summer plans?" His eyes dazed with confusion. "You mean," he looked directly at me. "Congratulation Hermione, I'm so glad you're going." His lean arm reached out towards mine."

"Thank you Professor," I pulled him into a hug instead. Slightly off guard, he awkwardly patted my back.

"Well you deserve it." He plainly stated.

"Yes, she does." Professor Evans agreed. Blushing from head to toe, I excused myself and wished them a pleasant day.

(Lily POV)

I watched as the girl I grew to love skipped merrily out my classroom. She was sweet, smart, and utterly passionate. Her ability to put so much intensity in everything she did was amazing. Sometimes when I see her unhappy or stressed, I just wanted to hug away all her worries. If only I had a daughter like her. Actually if only she could be my daughter.

"It's easier if you speak outside your head." Remus said with his annoying smile. Naturally I brushed his sandy hair aside looking into his calm eyes.

"Wishing and dreaming Rem."

"Anything I could help you with?"

"If only you could, but it's nice of you to ask." I fiddled with my parchments. "How Hermione's parents are not dazzled by her is amazing? If I was her mom, she would be spoiled rotten."

"So Harry is not enough now?" He replied humorously. "I should tell James."

"Oh Remus, you know what I mean." I threw my quill in frustration. "It's been years of her working constantly and seeing nothing resembling a normal childhood."

"They would say the same for Harry."

"At least he is happy. She's just a child. She deserves to act like one."

"I know." His smiled lessened. "But her parents are muggles who don't understand us. And she's been conditioned this way. You have been sweet enough to help her, but you don't honestly think you can change her."

"No one could change her. She's hasn't willed herself to change yet."

(Lily POV)

Knock Knock

"Come in," I replied while continuing work with Remus.

"Hey mom, Uncle Remus." Harry entered looking exactly like his father.

"Harry, are you ready for next week game? We have a new cheer planned." Remus enthusiastically answered.

"Merlin, what do you, dad, and Uncle Sirius have planned?"

"Just a little something to boost moral."

"As long as my players can still fly, see, hear, and catch than I'm looking forward to it."

"It wasn't that bad last time." Remus defended himself.

"Ron could barely see and my chasers could hardly hear each other." My son added with extra zeal.

"Oh the occasionally challenge never hurts. And you still won."

"Only because my son caught the snitch." I decided to interrupt. "Was they're something you needed Harry?"

"Yeah, have you seen Hermione? Ginny said that she was here talking with you."

"She left 2 hours ago. She hasn't returned to the Tower at all?"

"No," he shook his head.

"Have you checked everywhere?" Remus asked.

"No, not yet. I wanted to see if she was still here."

"Well I'm sure she's in the library looking up something or another."

"Remus is probably right. Besides you will definitely see her tonight at your prefects meeting."

"Oh mom, I almost forgot."

"That's why I reminded you." I added more sternly. "You shouldn't place so much responsibility on Hermione."

"I know, I know." Harry mumbled out. "I'm going to look for her again. I'll see you at dinner." He quickly walked out the room. Once the door shut, I heard Remus laughter increase.

"What is so funny?"

"You," he pointed at me. "It's always hysterical when you at like a mom."

"Oh, get back to work." I threw my heaviest quill towards him.

(Hermione POV)

It's unbelievable. I mean I have this great opportunity to go to Greece. I have this tumbling feeling inside my stomach that I feel like I'm flying. I just owled my parents with the good news. Hopefully they will be as excited as I am. Of course I can hear what they will say now. 'Good job child, now you must work harder.' Or 'Well the internship will only be a stepping stone to what you have in store for the future.' Never stop working that's what they will say.

<Deep breath>

Sometimes I wish they could say great job, now let's get some ice cream. Or maybe, just maybe a day to do nothing. Nothing? I wonder if I'm even capable of doing nothing.

"I'm still wondering how your eyes could stay so focused with all the strain you put on it."

"The joys of genetics and a thing called magic." I turned to see Harry standing next to me.

"It's dark and getting cold. How can you still write?" He flopped down, trying to glance at my words.

"I have my ways." I leaned closer towards the thick tree, shutting my journal.

"Yeah," he sighed. "Why didn't you tell us where you were going?"

"Both of you were so busy." I casually said. "Besides I was just discussing something with Professor Evans."

"You disappeared for 2 hours." He answered with annoyance. "It's not hard to interrupt us."

"Well Ron and you never tell me where you go." I briskly said. "And you don't see me screaming down your throat."

"That's not true! I do tell you. And I only don't when you're busy." He twisted away, gazing towards the still lake.

"I'm always busy."

"Well if you relax once and awhile, you might not be so occupied from everything." He said softly to himself. Silence then evaded us, and I began to wonder why Harry and I were so irritated with each other lately.

<Sneeze> I shivered from the drop in temperature.

"I told you it was cold." He finally turned to look at me.

"I never disagreed."

"Merlin knows that is a rare occasion." Before I could retort, he wrapped his massive robe around me. Slowly he fastened the buttons, and gently rubbed my arms up and down. "Better?" He whispered out. I only closed my eyes in response. "I was worried. After potions yesterday, Malfoy looked like a rowdy beast towards you."

"Harry, he will always look at me with disgust." My eyes opened to see only green.

"It doesn't stop me from caring about you." He said with affection that made me uncomfortable.

"Harry, I'm sorry I made you worried. I promise I'll tell you whenever I leave for something."

"Promise?"

"Promise." I sneezed again.

"Come on, let's get you inside. I'm sure Ron is going bonkers with hunger." He pulled my up with a quick tug.

"When is he never hungry?"

"True," Harry grabbed me from behind. "And when are you never ticklish."

"Harry stop!" I started giggling. "I'll hex you."

"You have to catch me first." He sprinted off.

"Harry Potter, come back here!" I grunted loudly. "When I get my hands on you, you are so dead."

"I like to see you try!" He challenged back. Later we returned to Hogwarts with a very hot-tempered hunger Ron waiting for us.