Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Coded Parchment by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Coded Parchment

E. C. R. Potter

A Coded Parchment

E. C. R. Potter

A/N This story is a post Hogwarts fic. 4 years after graduation from Hogwarts, Harry Potter is an Unspeakable: an agent for the Department of Mysteries. With the help of Journalist Hermione Granger and Auror Ron Weasley, Harry uncovers a conspiracy that could affect the future of the entire Wizarding World. Possible H/Hr in the future.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

Chapter 1: Draco Malfoy

It seemed as if every important wizard and witch in the wizarding world was present in Diagon Alley that sunny Saturday afternoon. Socialite wizards and elegant witches as well as reporters from every form of magical media were there. They were all gathered in front of a podium set in front of the buildings that housed the research center for Magical Maladies. Standing behind the podium was the object of attention. He was a young wizard around 21 years of age. He had slick, platinum blonde hair, cold grayish blue eyes, and was wearing elegant black robes with violet and silver trimmings.

"I wish to thank all of you whom have attended today," said the wizard with a megawatt grin. "It has been a honor to be so rewarded as to having these buildings named after me after me." He gestured toward the building behind that had a sign over head that read 'Draco Malfoy Research Center'. "It has been great to know that just a few contributions from the Malfoy fortune has helped save the lives of millions throughout the wizarding world who suffer from rare diseases." The guests applauded as cameras flashed. Draco Malfoy made a small bow before continuing.

"All of my life, I have devoted myself to further improve the lives of witches and wizards everywhere. However, I have often been frustrated by the lack of help I could provide for there is only so much that a philanthropist can do. However, I am happy to announce that the days of my being a philanthropist will end soon." He paused while the entire congregation fell silent. Only the clicking of cameras was heard. "I am pleased to say that I will be campaigning to become the next Minister of Magic."

The crowd roared with applause and cameras flashed. As Draco walked off of the podium, he was swarmed by reporters who showered him with questions.

"What has compelled you to run for Minister of Magic?"

"What is your comment about the rumors about your late father's association with He-who-must-not-be-named?"

"How do you feel about buildings and organizations being named after you?"

"Will there be a Mrs. Malfoy in the near future?"

Draco answered all questions with a smile. He mentioned that his father Lucius had made a number of mistakes during his lifetime but that he hadn't repeated them. He also said that there was unfortunately no potential Mrs. Malfoy in his life.

After the crowd around him had subsided a little, Draco noticed that one of the Daily Prophet journalists hadn't come near him. Rather she looked like she was ready to leave. She was around the same age as him and was quite attractive with long bushy brown hair and cinnamon brown eyes. She was wearing plain, green work robes and no make up. Draco immediately recognized her as someone from his class from Hogwarts. The Head Girl from his seventh year to be specific. He himself had been a prefect.

"Hermione Granger?"

The journalist looked up quite startled. "Yes," she said.

Draco grinned and approached her. "Hermione! Its great to see you again!" He stuck out his hand, which Hermione hesitantly shook. "How long has it been, 4 years? I see that you're working for the Daily Prophet. Still in contact with your old friends?"

Hermione remained speechless for a minute. From her memory of their Hogwarts days, Draco Malfoy had loathed her and she had disliked him. The idea of Draco being friendly to her was a little unnerving to say the least.

"Y..yes. Harry and I have lunch at the Leaky Cauldron everyday. And I see Ron often and the Weasleys all the time as well."

Draco nodded. "That's good to hear. So could I invite you to have dinner with me some time then?"

"What?!" Hermione was completely shocked. 'Draco Malfoy asking me out on a date?!' she thought. "Well, I'm a little busy these days but I promise to get a hold of you again with an answer."

Draco grinned. "Thanks, Hermione. It's been great seeing you again. Owl me with your answer." He turned around and left, looking a good deal happier.

A/N Well, here's the first chapter of my second fic. I'm telling you now, this story is strictly H/H! It is not a D/H (the horror)! I ask that you all read and review this story. This won't be as long as "The Mage Knights" is. Its also a lot more light hearted. So please, enjoy the fic!