Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Search is Over by karenkate_kitty
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Search is Over

karenkate_kitty

Title: The Search is Over

Author name: karenkate_kitty

Author email: karenkate_kitty@yahoo.com

Category: Romance

Subcategory: Angst

Summary: Sometimes you look for things that you thought you wanted then you realize that the one thing that really matters to you is the one that is just standing right in front of you.

DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. This fic is also based on the song "The Search is Over" by Survivor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1: Just Another Typical Day

Harry Potter was the famous "Boy Who Lived" and with the title came the inevitable popularity to the opposite sex. Hermione Granger his female best friend had been a witness to the many relationships Harry had ventured into. After graduating from Hogwarts the trio had separated, well at least one of them had left and got married. Ronald Weasley, the funny guy and the less serious part of the trio was actually the first one to tie the knot. He was married to Luna Lovegood after she graduated from Hogwarts. The couple left for Canada where Ron got drafted as a Keeper for the Stonewall Stormers.

Harry and Hermione thought it best to share a house, for they have no place to go home to. The Dursleys moved to the United States, not that Harry wanted to live with them, and Hermione's parents died in their sixth year, thus making her an orphan. They have shared this little apartment in downtown London for five years now. It had a small living room, a kitchen a bathroom and two separate rooms for each of them. Living together for five years made their bond of friendship grow stronger.

Harry had finished Auror training and had been working as an Auror for two years. Hermione had been working for the Ministry's research team. They lived together, ate together, worked in the same place and basically knew the same set of people.

In the five years that they had lived together, Harry had gone in and out of a probably more than two-dozen relationships. He had probably dated too many girls and was desperately anxious to find the right girl for him.

Hermione on the other hand had busied herself with work and more work. She had her weeks planned on routine and dating was never part of her schedule unless Ginny would show up from nowhere and set her up with some guy that after one date she would wish she had never met.

It was just another typical day in Harry and Hermione's apartment.

"Hermione, can you believe her? Natalie just broke up with me," Harry said as he got out of his room carrying his dirty clothes.

"Good morning to you too Harry," Hermione answered, It was Harry's way of starting the day. He would runt about a former girlfriend or a terrible date. "You can always date someone else you know."

"But I thought she was it, the girl of my dreams, the woman that I will marry someday and last night she told me she didn't love me and that she's pretty certain that I didn't love her. I mean what does she really know about me?" Harry retorted.

"We've been through this before Harry. I'm sure you'll find someone later and you'll tell me that she's the one for the nth time, that is," Hermione said with the most boring tone she could produce. "You know it doesn't hurt to live a single life," she added.

"That's easy for you to say. Guys go around asking you out and all that you do is decline," Harry retorted. "You're a very attractive girl and yet you don't have a boyfriend."

"Excuse me Mr. Potter but since when did my love life have come to question here?" Hermione argued.

"Since the time you stopped dating and it was exactly four years ago. You stopped dating Krum. It's not the age difference I suppose, I know you too well. Age really doesn't matter to you," Harry said.

"Well, I do not think that my love life is important, at least it isn't my top priority," Hermione retorted. She rolled her eyes as Harry flashed his gorgeous smile at her. She had always wondered why she was so close to the person she had wanted for as long as she could remember and never really took the chance on telling him how she felt. Even Ron knew about it but she made him promise not to tell Harry and he was true enough to his word.

"So you'd rather stay here before and after work to listen to me whine about my love life?" Harry said. He separated his colored shirts from the white ones and started magically doing the laundry.

"That's exactly why I don't want to be in a relationship just watching you shift from one girl to the other makes me sick," Hermione grunted. She focused on the newspaper and started on her coffee.

"You did make me coffee, didn't you?" Harry asked as he left his laundry to wash itself and joined Hermione who was sitting by the little counter that divided the kitchen from their small dining table. Right after they moved to their apartment they have both discovered their new favorite, coffee.

"I even made you breakfast," Hermione replied as she folded the newspaper.

"I knew it! You're just so in love me that you really don't need to have a boyfriend," Harry said jokingly. "Maybe we should make it official? How about setting a wedding date?"

"Oh, dear how did you figure that one out? I can't believe you knew I was crazy about you," Hermione mockingly asked but she knew well enough that what Harry said was in fact, true. "I'll be off to work now, before you come up with some more wild ideas."

"I'll pick you up later. I don't have a girl friend to see tonight," Harry said as he started with his breakfast.

"Oh, the glories of being Harry Potter's girl friend, you know you shouldn't do that, I might get used to it," Hermione said as she inspected her robes for wrinkles to smoothen them.

"Oh please Hermione, remember more than half of the girls who broke up with me were jealous of you and besides I always pick you up after work regardless of me having a girlfriend or the lack there of," Harry blurted.

"Why should they be jealous? We're just friends. Ever heard of the word platonic?" Hermione smirked but at the back of her mind a part of her wanted to strangle herself, right then and there for being such a very good actress.

"Bye honey, see you at work," Harry said before Hermione disapparated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione had always enjoyed those early morning exchanges that they usually share. She was playing the role of the wonderful best friend. That was her role in the big scheme of things for Harry Potter and that's all she would ever be. At least that's what she thought.

Harry on the other hand had been searching for the perfect girl but the only thing is, whoever that lucky girl would be at the moment would have to exceed the qualities that his best friend Hermione Granger have and that thought was close to impossible because no girl can ever compare to her and he already accepted that fact.

Harry was almost done with his laundry and was getting dressed for work. His two years as an auror were spent chasing after death eaters since he had already defeated Voldemort. This accomplishment also placed him next to the highest seat in the Magical Law Enforcement Squad. At the moment the wizarding world was considerably death eater free and he was thinking of finding a simpler job in the ministry.

Hedwig flew in with a letter. She landed on the top of the kitchen counter and extended her leg for Harry to detach the letter.

"Now who could be sending me an official looking letter like this?" Harry said to himself while he inspected the letter. He opened it and realized it was from his old Gryffindor Team mate and Captain, Oliver Wood.

Dear Harry,

How are you? I guess my letter came as a surprise but let's cut to chase shall we? I sure you are well aware of my position as the new Keeper of England's National Quidditch Team. Upon my appointment as Starting Keeper the Seeker Position was also vacated because Stevens our starting Seeker is getting married and retiring. The management is on the look out for a new one. I know that you have been doing quite well as an Auror but with the status our wizarding community is in I think it is safe to say that we can have one Auror less. England's been trying for years to get back on our position as the best Quidditch playing team but we always seem to fail in reaching that goal. We need you in the team. The team is offering you the coveted starting Seeker position. I do hope you think this over, Harry. You've done enough, saving the wizarding world from you know who and I think it's best that you come back to the game you so love to play. The team is waiting for your immediate response.

Your soon to be teammate,

Oliver Wood

Keeper, English National Team

"What do you know? I haven't even decided whether I'm going to retire or not and now they want me to play Quidditch," Harry said as he stroked Hedwig's head. The owl hooted a happy reply.

"I guess, you think maybe I should play Quidditch again, don't you? But we have to consult Hermione and lets see what she has to say about it" Harry said to his owl.

Hedwig hooted in agreement.

Harry got all the things he needed for work, which composed of only his wand and other things that were already hidden inside his robes and with that he disapparated off to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Maybe it would be a lot better if you go out sometime Hermione," Ginny's happy voice burst into Hermione's office.

"Hello, Ginny I'm not in the mood to date any of your new friends," Hermione said as she went over parchments that came from their research counterpart in the United States.

Ginny sat on top of Hermione's desk and flaunted a nice diamond ring she was wearing.

"Now, where did you steal that from?" Hermione asked as she looked up at Ginny behind her reading glasses. She had been using one since her work had her reading volumes of books and researches.

"I'm hurt by that silly question Hermione. Of course I didn't steal it. It's from my fiancé," she said smugly.

"Since when did you have one?" Hermione asked with a questioning look.

"Since last night when Draco asked me to marry him," Ginny said with uncertainty.

"And you said yes. Draco Malfoy the one person that your brothers could not stand. Does Ron know? Does anyone in your family have any idea?" Hermione asked in an almost hysterical manner. She knew about Ginny seeing Draco Malfoy but she never thought it was that serious. She knew Ron and the other Weasleys would throw a fit if they found out.

"Well, you're the only one who knows. At least mum didn't notice the ring when I visited her but I was planning on telling her if she noticed and asked me about it," Ginny explained. "You don't think I did the wrong thing, do you?"

"Do you love him and are you a hundred percent sure he feels the same way?" Hermione asked her.

Ginny nodded with delight and hugged Hermione. "Can you believe it I'll be getting married next month," she exclaimed.

"Wait, next month. Your family doesn't know yet but you plan to have the wedding next month. Ginny what's going on?" Hermione asked realizing something rather suspicious.

"Draco asked me last night and we were planning to put it till next year but I told him another good news and he changed his mind and wanted it next month instead," Ginny explained.

"Ginny, what made him change his mind?" Hermione further interrogated. She paced around her small room eyeing the Minister of Magic's daughter like a crime suspect.

"Okay, fine I'll tell you. I just found out I'm pregnant. Draco wants us to get married before my tummy grows and people would start speculating," Ginny replied. "And please stop walking around that way, like your some kind of detective or something. It gives me the creeps," she added.

"Oh my gosh. I don't know whether I should congratulate you or not. My goodness, you're pregnant. How sure are you that it's his?" Hermione asked jokingly.

"Of course I know that it's his. Draco is the only guy I ever, you know, slept with. I date a lot, yes, but I don't sleep around. Hermione, you need to help me break it to the family without startling them," Ginny asked her.

"I don't think they have much of a choice in your situation. Although I still don't like Draco but if he loves you and he makes you happy then I guess you should go on and get married," Hermione said. "About your family I doubt it if they wouldn't freak out. I mean I knew about the two of you dating for months and I couldn't believe it, what more for your family who doesn't have an inkling of an idea about the two of you," she added.

"I think the only problem will have to be my brothers. Mum and dad will eventually accept him but my brothers are just too stubborn. That's where you and Harry come in. You two will pacify the rest of the Weasleys, especially Ron," Ginny explained.

"So you'll let us do the dirty work. I'm not even sure if Harry would want a hand on this," Hermione answered.

"You two are the wonder couple. You can handle the other member of your trio well. Oh Hermione, I'm so excited. You'll be the prettiest Maid of Honor and Harry will be the perfect Best man for you," Ginny said excitedly.

"Okay wait a minute, Harry will be Draco's best man? Are you nuts? Those two hate each other like cats hate dogs. Ginny that's impossible," Hermione said.

Draco doesn't have any close guy friends that aren't married. All my brothers are also married and Harry is basically family like you," Ginny muttered.

"Does Draco know that you want Harry to be his best man?" Hermione asked.

"Well, I did ask him if he would mind but he was reading some important contract so he just nodded," Ginny said.

"Oh dear, well, we have to tell Harry first," Hermione, said.

"Of course we'll tell him. I also heard about Natalie. How many brunettes with brown eyes have Harry dated this past five years?" Ginny asked absently.

"I don't know probably more than a dozen I guess," Hermione said as she went back to her paper works.

"Actually, it's more than two dozen girls if I'm not mistaken. And isn't it weird that all the girls he used to date have a striking resemblance to you," Ginny pointed out.

"Are we going to talk about this whole Harry issue again?" Hermione grunted.

"All I'm saying is he is looking for someone like you but nothing will ever compare to the real thing and I know pretty well that you have those feelings for him locked in that heart of yours. I was there when Viktor and you broke up. Some four years ago if I am not mistaken," Ginny reminded her.

"You shouldn't bring out old issues like that," Hermione sighed.

"What old issues?" Harry's said as he poked his head inside the room. "How's my two favorite girls?" he said as he gave both Ginny and Hermione a hug.

"You do know we live in the same house Harry," Hermione reminded him.

"Well, there aren't any rules against hugging house mates, are there?" Harry said. "I also got you this," he said as he handed Hermione a nice blue scarf. "It reminded me of the dress you wore in the Yule Ball."

"But that was ages ago," Hermione said as she held the soft fabric. "Thanks, Harry it's really nice that after all these years you remembered," she added.

"You two would make a great couple. I just hope Harry would stop dating the look-alikes and go for the real one," Ginny said softly under her breathe.

"Excuse me?" Harry said. Not hearing clearly what Ginny just said.

"It's nothing. Ginny was just mumbling nonsense. Weren't you, Ginny?" Hermione stammered, while her stare shot daggers to Ginny.

"I better leave you two here. I need to see Tonks. She'll help me with the preparations," Ginny said.

"I can't believe she still likes to be called that," Harry commented.

"Well, you can't call her Weasley, can you? I think Charlie would have wanted to call her by her first name but she keeps on threatening him with Divorce if he does," Ginny said.

Harry and Hermione both laughed. "Those two are just so funny," Hermione commented.

"I have to go. See you later Hermione. Bye Harry," Ginny said as she left the room.

"Didn't you notice how Ginny is a bit chubbier these days," Harry commented.

"It isn't polite to say things like that about Ginny," Hermione scolded. "What are you doing here anyway? You should be about three floors down," Hermione added.

"Well, I just dropped by to give you the scarf and to tell you that we'll eat lunch together in our favorite restaurant because I need to ask you something," Harry said and flashed her his brilliant smile.

"Okay, I guess," Hermione replied and with that Harry left her office.

'Now what would Harry want to talk to me about?' Hermione thought. 'Oh this is all Ginny's fault. Harry would never ask me to be his girl.' Hermione always had to remind herself that she will always be just the best friend and not the girl friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what is it that you wanted to ask me?" Hermione asked before she started with her salad. She and Harry dined in their favorite restaurant, the Rose Cottage, which was a new place in Diagon Alley.

"I'm thinking of quitting my job in the ministry. And just today an Owl came from Oliver asking me to play Quidditch again. What do you think?" Harry said.

"Well, you have been telling me that you want a simpler job and you really love playing Quidditch so I guess it's a good opportunity for you," Hermione replied. At the back of her head all she was hoping for was in some weird twist of fate Harry would profess his undying love for her.

"So you think I should quit my job and play Quidditch again?" Harry said.

"What I think isn't really important. What you should decide to do is what your heart tells you to. If you think playing Quidditch will be better for you then do it. And I think it would mean a far more better atmosphere for you playing outside and all," Hermione added.

"I will talk to Arthur later and tell him about my decision then I'll Owl Oliver," Harry exclaimed. "Thanks Hermione, you are really a sweetheart."

"But before you do anything yet. Inform Shacklebolt about your plans. The head of your department should also know about this and you also need to finish your pending work before quitting," Hermione reminded him.

"I got all my reports done. Once this whole thing is official I'll take you out to a nice dinner celebration," Harry exclaimed then he took a bite of his fresh ham and garden sandwich.

"I'll keep that in mind," Hermione replied.

"Isn't this such a surprise? Harry Potter, and this is Hermione Granger of course. I couldn't possibly be mistaken now. You see you're very fond of girls who look much like her," A familiar voice came from behind Hermione.

"Rita, I can't believe that after all these years you still couldn't help but get into other people's business," Hermione said mockingly as she turned to see the nosy news woman.

"I can't help it. It's my job," Rita reasoned as she impolitely took the empty seat between Harry and Hermione. "Did I hear you right? You'll quit the ministry and play Quidditch?" Rita started and was about to put out her magical quill.

"Sorry Rita, after all these years. I still haven't developed a liking for your intrusion," Harry said as he took out money from his pocket and placed it on the table. Hermione understood and also stood up. "If you'll excuse us," Harry said as he took Hermione's hand and walked off and blended in the busy crowd.

"Perhaps I can schedule an interview," Rita yelled as she tried to trail after them.

A/N: Okay… I just thought of writing another story… I hope you peeps will like this one. Read and Review. I'm not sure if the rating will change in future chapters but I'm not really good in writing adult stuffs so I guess it would go up to PG13 later on.