Unofficial Portkey Archive

Secret by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Secret

Golasgil Sindar

Hermione walked past the Fat Lady's portrait into the Gryffindor common room. Harry was not there so she continued up to their Head Boy, Girl suite. She waved at Ginny and Neville who seemed to actually be studying for a change as she passes them. Up, up she climbed, one of the bad things about being a Gryffindor Head Girl was their rooms were at the very top of the tower. She finally reached the portrait of Sir Cadogan. He had been moved here at their request at the beginning of the year.

"Greetings Fair Maiden, speak thy password and you shall pass!"

"forever"

"Ahh, Thou may pass Fair Maiden." Sir Cadogan bowed deeply as his portrait swung open.

"Thank thee good sir knight"

She paused in their common room. "Harry?" she called as she put her bag down on the floor. He didn't answer, well he would be here soon she told herself.

She immediately performed the ritual she had gotten used to over the course of their seventh year. She pulled out her rings from her inner pocket and put them on her ring finger, where they belonged. They had decided to keep their marriage a secret until after graduation.

She found herself reminiscing. Last year Harry had asked her to be his girl, what a wonderful day. Actually one year ago today, just before the St Valentines day ball, I need to get my dress out she remembered. Then only a few days into this term he had proposed to her right here in their common room.

Since that night she had not stepped foot into her own room, Harry had moved all her books and clothes into his room before he had even asked her.

Then Christmas break they had spent with her parents, just before returning from break they had all four gone to see the magistrate and Harry and Hermione were legally wed, only her parents for witnesses. They had of course told Dumbledore immediately upon their return, he of course seemed to already know.

Crookshanks decided he had been ignored too long and rubbed up against her right leg. She scooped him up into her arms and headed for the Head Girl room. Well let's go get that ball gown out and see how much cleaning it will need for tomorrow night she told herself. When she opened the door she was surprised to see a note on her desk. There were a lot of numbers on it, most had been crossed out and new ones written in the space next to them. She stood before her desk absently petting Crookshanks and began to read the note.

Miss. Granger,

I believe you have something to tell me? I will wait for you in my office tomorrow September the 4th at precisely 4:30 in the evening.

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Head of Gryffindor House

Oh no she thought, that was months ago. Today was February 13th. Then she started to read all the corrections to the note. On January 4th Miss Granger had been crossed out and Mrs. Potter written above it. Professor McGonagall had put the date next to that change. September the 4th had been replaced with September the 5th and then September the 6th. Apparently Professor McGonagall had updated the note daily as she missed each appointment! She reached the end of the corrections and found that the last one was indeed today at 4:30 it was almost 4:30 now. She tossed Crookshanks unceremoniously onto her unused bed and snatching up the note she flew out of the room. Past Sir Cadogan, down to the common room, Ginny and Neville sprung apart as she ran thru the common room, she yelled at them, "Tell Harry I went to see McGonagall!" Out thru the Fat Lady's portrait, she ran down the hall as fast as she could. Fortunately the hall was empty. She reached Professor McGonagall's office a moment later panting for her breath just outside the door. Suddenly the door opened, Professor McGonagall was standing there.

"Inside Mrs. Potter." She spoke very quietly and looked quite stern. When Hermione did so she closed and locked the door. "Sit!" she ordered, Hermione again complied. "I see you finally got my note. I thought for sure you would get it before the Yule Ball, but you and Harry skipped that for a night in the Shrieking shack I believe."

Hermione was looking at her dumbstruck, she had known all along? They had hidden everything so well, six months of keeping it all a secret, she had known the entire time. "I errr" for once Hermione was speechless.

Suddenly Professor McGonagall's expression softened and she sat on the edge of her desk. "I'm done with being stern with you. Despite what everyone thinks you should know me better, after seven years. I'm just an old softy at heart. I am glad to see you wearing your rings in public at last by the way."

OH MY GOD! I FORGOT. Hermione quickly removed them and stashed them in her pocket.

"Dear you are perfectly safe here, I had hoped you would talk to me about it all, maybe ask my advice on what to do? I am your Head of House dear. There have only been a few couples that have gotten married while still at Hogwarts. James and Lily waited until after graduation, barely. I dare say I expected it of the two of you though. We do have special provisions for such occasions, but I guess being Head Boy and Girl you don't need most of them. You already have your own room and thus a lot of privacy. You do however now have special provision to go to Hogsmeade any weekend you choose."

Suddenly the door burst open, the lock snapping cleanly as Harry entered wand in hand.

"Fix that door immediately young man!" Professor McGonagall stood enraged at the interruption.

Harry ignored her and knelt beside Hermione. "Are you alright Mione, I felt how scared you were and came running."

Hermione gulped and took a deep breath. "Oh Harry, yes I'm fine, we were just talking Harry."

Harry pulled his wife into a tight hug. "I was so worried about you, I thought you were in danger. You were so worried, I could feel it."

Professor McGonagall quietly repaired her door and closed it while they embraced.

"Harry, she knows."

He finally addressed Professor McGonagall, still holding his wife tightly. "You scared her. I am sorry about bursting in but she was scared and I had to come."

"Harry, I would expect nothing less, in fact I am surprised that I am not stunned on my office floor right now. I suppose if I had my wand out then I would be?" She was grinning at him. "Harry, your concern is admirable; I had hoped that the two of you would confide in me about your situation. I could have made it easier on you months ago. Now that Mrs. Potter has finally made it to her appointment with me, the staff will be informed. Trust me that not even Severus will abuse this in any way. Only the school staff will be informed, most already suspect I am sure. There would be no harm in letting the school know, but I will leave that up to you both."

"Ok I am tired of hiding it. Mione? St. Valentines Day ball sounds like a good time to announce that we are married. And not just a couple."

"Alright Harry, I did forget and ran here wearing them I only saw Ginny and Neville though, I don't think they noticed."

"Very well then, I look forward to your announcement at the ball tomorrow night." Minerva opened the door as they stood.

Arm in arm they slowly walked back to their rooms, oblivious to those around them.