Unofficial Portkey Archive

Right Here Waiting by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Right Here Waiting

coriander

Chapter 3

Hermione walked through the streets of Hogsmeade, reminiscing as she walked past the shop windows. It had been three years since she'd been here. Three years since she had a sip of butterbeer. Three years since she ate a chocolate frog. Three years since she had seen her friends.

With each storefront she passed, more memories flowed. She remembered all the times that she, Harry and Ron had spent their Saturdays walking through the village. She smiled at the visions of Ron stuffing his face full of chocolate frogs and sugar quills and of Harry chasing her through town with one of Fred and George's newest creations.

As she looked down the street, a ramshackle house caught her attention. Tears tugged at her eyes as she walked toward the Shrieking Shack. She closed her eyes in silent remembrance of Harry's godfather, Sirius, who was lost through the veil during their fifth year, and of Remus Lupin who was killed at the hands of Lord Voldemort himself only moments before his own demise.

Hermione, Harry and Ron had many fond memories of the Shrieking Shack. It was the place where they met Sirius. It was the place that Ron and Hermione shared their first kiss. It had served as their hideout before Harry went to confront Voldemort. It was also where the three of them worked on becoming animagi. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she pictured a red fox, a phoenix, and a brown owl keeping their werewolf friend company during the full moon.

Harry had talked about refurbishing the house after Voldemort was gone, but he decided against it. The pain was still too fresh from Remus' death to think about changing his sanctuary. It seemed so surreal. If they were to change the house, it would mean that Remus was really gone. He was the last link to Harry's parents, and Harry wasn't ready for that, yet.

Harry. Everything always came back to Harry. That's why she was here, walking through the village. She knew they would be here. It was Harry's birthday today and according to tradition, Ron, Luna, Ginny, Draco and Harry would be at the Three Broomsticks celebrating. They had started the annual tradition on Harry's eighteenth birthday, only a week after Harry had defeated Voldemort. She knew it would be the perfect time to make her appearance.

She slowly made her way to the tavern. The butterflies in her stomach were rapidly turning into hippogriffs. She was about to see Harry. She was coming home to the one she loved. Her heart raced faster the closer she got to the pub. As she opened the door and let her eyes adjust to the dim light, she searched the tables for the familiar head of unruly black hair.

I should have known better
Than to let you go alone
It's times like these
I can't make it on my own
Wasted days, and sleepless nights
An' I can't wait to see you again

"Look at that…" the redhead sitting at one of the back tables said to no one in particular as he looked at the beautiful woman who had just entered the Three Broomsticks. "Ow!" he exclaimed as an elbow from his fiancé jabbed him in the ribs. "I'm just admiring the view, love. I'm not touching the merchandise," he said softly as he nuzzled into her long blonde hair.

Everyone at the table moved to get a look at who Ron was looking at. The woman in question was indeed beautiful. Her red dress hugged her curves deliciously. Her short hair curled around framing her face. Her face was beautiful and her eyes sparkled as she looked around the dimly lit room.

Draco stared at the woman for a moment and recognized her almost immediately. He looked to his red-haired girlfriend, who also wore a knowing grin. The both looked at the raven-haired man across the table from them, awaiting his reaction.

Harry couldn't take his eyes off her. He had never seen anyone more beautiful in his life. His heart ached. He felt like he was betraying Hermione by staring at this woman.

I find I spend my time
Waiting on your call
How can I tell you, babe
My back's against the wall
I need you by my side
To tell me it's alright
'Cause I don't think I can take anymore

Hermione spotted a table in the back corner where two familiar redheads, a white-haired man and a blonde curly-haired woman were sitting. In front of them sat the object of her affection. Harry. Brown eyes met emerald green and she smiled. He smiled back hesitantly. As she walked toward the table, he blushed and turned away. Her heart ached at the thought that he didn't want to see her.

She glanced at the other four faces and smiled. Draco and Ginny smiled brightly back, while Ron and Luna were a bit slow at responding, but smiled once the realization of who was standing before them hit. Luna looked like she was about to speak but Ron stopped her and smiled, winking at Hermione.

He felt her hand rest on his shoulder and he looked up at the woman. She was breathtaking. His heart raced as he looked in her eyes. She seemed so familiar even though he knew he had never seen her before. He slowly stood up to offer his hand and introduce himself, but before he could speak he heard a voice that he longed to hear.

"Happy Birthday Harry."

He looked up and gazed into her eyes. Eyes that he hadn't seen in three years. They were her eyes. He let his eyes roam her face. He blinked harshly, making sure he was seeing what, or rather who, he was seeing.

"H- Hermione?" he stuttered in a breath. She started to nod, but was cut off as his arms wrapped around her tightly.

Is this love that I'm feeling
Is this the love that I've been searching for
Is this love or am I dreaming
This must be love
'Cause it's really go a hold on me
A hold on me

Harry couldn't believe it. Hermione was here, in his arms. She felt so good against him. He cursed himself many times over for waiting so long to tell her how he felt. Pulling back slightly, he looked into her eyes again. He felt like he could melt right then and there. Every emotion he was feeling was reflected in her eyes. Before either of them uttered a word, Harry brought his hands up to cradle her face. Feeling her soft skin under his fingertips. She was really here. Slowly he brought her face up to his and brushed his lips over hers. Sparks shot through his body. He loved her and he was never about to let her go again. She was his other half, his soul mate. Again he cursed himself for waiting so long to do this.

As her lips parted under his, he felt her tongue slide over his bottom lip. Before he knew it their tongues were warring, running sensuously along each other. Harry's hands went to her hair and ran his fingers through the short curls. He slowly pulled from the kiss and looked at her lovingly.

"I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. What did you do to your hair?" he whispered into her ear as he curled a few short tendrils around his finger. At the hurt look on her face he suddenly recovered, "No, I like it. It looks beautiful. You look beautiful." He kissed her lightly on the lips again.

I can't stop the feeling
I've been this way before
But, with you I've found the key
To open any door
I can feel my love for you
Growing stronger day by day
An' I can't wait too see you again
So I can hold you in my arms

Harry and Hermione were standing wrapped up in each other's arms, oblivious to the other two couples at the table behind them. At the sound of someone clearing their throat, the two of them unfurled their arms and turned to look at their friends. All four of them were smiling and the two women had tears in their eyes.

"Hi guys," she said hesitantly. Before she knew it, she was tackled by two emotional redheads. Hermione couldn't help the tears from welling up in her own eyes. "Hello, Ron. Ginny."

Ron pulled back and kissed her on the cheek. "I've missed you 'Mione." She smiled and returned his words. Ginny unwrapped herself, but couldn't say anything through her emotional smiles. As they all sat down, Luna and Draco also voiced their 'hellos' and 'welcome homes.'

Hermione felt Harry's arm wrap around her shoulders, and a comforting warmth flooded her senses. This is where she belonged… in Harry's arms. She leaned into him and felt him kiss the top of her head a few times. Between kisses she heard a whispered, "I love you." Her heart swelled at the sound and her tears started falling again. The table remained silent as they all tried to reign in their emotions.

Is this love that I'm feeling
Is this the love that I've been searching for
Is this love or am I dreaming
This must be love
'Cause it's really got a hold on me
A hold on me

"So, are you home for good?" Ron was the first to break the silence.

She nodded and smiled. "Yes, I am. I start at my new job next week."

"New job?" Harry asked as he looked down at her.

"You are looking at the new Charm's teacher at Hogwarts," she said proudly.

"Hermione, that's great!" Ginny and Luna exclaimed simultaneously.

"Albus owled me a few weeks ago. I couldn't turn it down. I was scared at first." She looked up at Harry. "But now I know that everything's going to work out perfectly."

Harry squeezed her tightly as he repeated her last statement. "Perfectly."

Is this love that I'm feeling
Is this the love that I've been searching for
Is this love or am I dreaming

"Well then, you'll be seeing a lot of each other, won't you?" Draco said teasingly.

At Hermione's confused look, Harry kissed her again. "Albus will never cease to amaze me." He lifted her chin with his finger so that she was looking into his eyes. "You're looking at the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts."

Hermione couldn't believe what she had just heard. They would be working together. They would be together everyday. She smiled and snuggled into Harry's chest. She made a mental note to thank the headmaster at her earliest convenience. The others could sense that Harry and Hermione need some time alone, and both couples went out to dance.

Harry's eyes were bright as he gazed into her beautiful brown orbs. "I take it you got my letter?" he asked sheepishly.

"Yes, I did Harry. I packed up and left almost immediately after I read it. I knew that I needed to come home. I need you and couldn't think of spending another minute away. I love you."

Harry leaned his forehead against hers. "I'm sorry I never said it before, but I have always loved you. I will always love you. I was so afraid that you wouldn't come. I am so afraid that I'm going to wake up from the best dream of my life and you will be gone."

Her hand reached up to wipe the tears that trailed down his cheeks. "I'm here. I'm real. And I'm home."

*

A/N - This is my second attempt at the chapter. I feel much better about this one. I hope you liked it. I could possibly leave it here, but I think I might add another one or two chapters. We will see.