Unofficial Portkey Archive

Return of the Lion by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Return of the Lion

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

Matthew 6:14

Chapter 14: End of a Rivalry

Harry, Hermione, and Ron tore through the corridors of Parselrock as fast as they could. Although most of the dark forces were outside fighting the battle, there were still a good many Death Eaters inside of the fortress. Each floor had a large ominous corridor, which was held up by Greek style pillars that ended in a magnificent staircase that led to the floor above. The trio climbed each staircase as fast as they could, since Voldemort's chamber was on the top floor.

Each floor was defended by some of the most power Death Eaters in Europe. Fortunately, these were absolutely no match against Harry, and could only offer a minor challenge to Hermione. Ron often felt a little small next to his powerful best friends, but he had his moments with his share of powerful curses he sent toward random Death Eaters. Finally, after fighting off at least some 142 Death Eaters, the trio made it to the sixth floor of the fortress tower.

"How much more do we have?" asked Ron warily. He was very exhausted from running through sixth levels of the fortress. "If we don't get to the top soon, I just might as well turn myself in to You-know-who since I won't be able to fight him because of exhaustion."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Come on, Ron. You can't be THAT exhausted." For her part however, Hermione was amazed hat she had absolutely no weariness at all. She realized that it was because her new legs granted her so much more running power than before. "Anyway, we should be there soon."

After saying that, Hermione walked through the corridor. However, when she came in sight of the staircase to the next floor, she abruptly stopped. Her eyes widened in fear and her body started to shake uncontrollably. She also seemed to have lost her ability to speak, as she just stood there, paralyzed with fear.

"Hermione what's wrong?" asked Harry coming up behind her, concern written in his green eyes. He soon saw what was wrong, and his teeth gritted in anger.

Standing in front of the staircase, wearing elegant silver and green robes, with the image of a snake on the torso, was none other than Draco Malfoy. Harry could understand Hermione's fear since he knew how much pain Malfoy had brought on her. Harry reassuringly squeezed Hermione's shoulder. Hermione clutched Harry's hand on her shoulder as if it were a lifeline.

"Malfoy?" spat Ron. "What are you doing here?"

Draco made his trademark sneer. "Well, what do you expect, Weasley? I'm here kill you, fight off Potter, and make sure Granger carries my child."

Hermione started trembling fiercely. Harry gently circled his arms around her in an attempt to comfort her. Ron started swearing loudly and was about to go fight Draco when Harry said, "Ron, no! Leave him to me."

Harry gently passed Hermione to Ron. Hermione seemed reluctant to let go of Harry, but Harry gave her strong assurances, which finally convinced her to let go of Harry and stand by Ron. "I'll conquer your fear for you," whispered Harry. Hermione nodded and weakly smiled.

Harry slowly made his way toward Draco who was still smirking. "So it comes to this, doesn't it, Potter."

"If you say so, Malfoy."

"This duel didn't just start here, Potter. Nor did it start when you took the mudblood from Malfoy Manor. No Potter, this is the climax of everything that has happened between us. Ever since we first met in the Hogwarts Express all those years ago."

"Pity," said Harry in a mocking sad voice. "I'm going to miss our little rivalry."

"Enough chit chat, Potter," hissed Draco. "If you're not going to make the first move, I will!"

Before anyone could move a muscle, Draco dashed passed Harry with inhuman speed and fired a series of curses at Harry's back. Harry just barely managed to turn around in time to block the curses. Before Harry could attack, Draco once again dashed behind Harry and fired curses at him from behind. This time, Harry rolled away and dodged them.

When Harry finally regained his balance, his former look of confidence had been replaced with a look of shock, disbelief, and even a little fear. "H-how is this possible?" whispered Harry. "You couldn't possibly have that much speed unless..."

"That is correct, Potter," said Draco with a tone of triumph. "I too am a Battle Wizard!"

"What?!" yelled Ron in disbelief. Hermione started shaking again.

Harry appeared to be the most shocked of all. He simply stared at Draco, shock and fear all over his eyes.

Draco sneered at Harry. "Common knowledge is that only a Battle Wizard can defeat a Battle Wizard," he said. "The only way I can fight Potter on my own terms, is if I become a Battle Wizard myself." Draco suddenly pointed his hands at Harry and shouted, "Maximus Reducto!"

Hermione screamed as the highly advanced reductor curse slammed into Harry, ending in a huge explosion of debris. Ron ducked, expecting a tremendous explosion like the one in Hogsmeade. Fortunately, no such thing happened.

"Don't be so frightened, Weasley," sneered Draco. "This fortress was built to withstand the power of Battle Wizards. It won't be destroyed by one advanced reductor, though I can't say the same for Potter." He started laughing.

Draco stopped laughing however, when Harry got up with out a scratch. He brushed of his robes and glared at Draco with a new look of determination.

"You know, Malfoy," said Harry. "I never expected that I would fight against you with equal terms. But I guess there is a first time for everything, and a last time." Harry suddenly pulled out something from underneath his cloak. Ron and Hermione gasped when they saw that it was the sword of Godric Gryffindor.

Harry passed his wand into his left hand took up his sword in his right hand. "Lets get a little more serious," he said. Harry suddenly rocketed forward and swung his sword down at Draco, the blade giving off a dazzling white light in the form of an even larger sword. Panicking, Draco cast a powerful shield charm over himself. The dazzling blade struck the shield with flash of sparks, and both the shield and the blade disappeared with a crack. Draco leapt back and dodged Harry's sword as it came flashing down.

Draco yelled "Multiplicus Diffendo!" A legion of magical energy blades were conjured up that went flying toward Harry. Harry swung his sword around and deflected all of the blades.

Harry then shouted, "Maximus Reducto!" Draco was completely caught in the explosion, he shield charm barely holding.

As soon as the explosion subsided, Draco shouted, "Crucio!" just as Harry shouted, "Multiplicus Diffendo!" Harry was caught by the Cruciatus Curse and started writhing in pain, but Draco was forced to take off the curse so that he could dodge Harry's energy blades.

Harry started wheezing a little but he still had a clear head. He yelled, "Stupefius Expelliarmus!" and fired a combination stunner and disarmer. Draco dodged the spell with a quick roll to the side. He was also panting and beads of sweat were forming on his forehead.

Suddenly, Draco started coughing violently, and Harry was shocked when he saw blood coming up with the coughs.

"Draco, what..."

"Don't pity me, Potter!" yelled Draco. "I still have enough power to finally beat you."

Draco suddenly yelled, "Avada Kedavra!" Hermione screamed as the green light closed in on Harry. However, Harry suddenly disappeared!

"Wha..." Draco glanced up to see Harry high up in the air. Harry once again gathered energy onto his sword and formed the dazzling large blade. Harry swung the blade downward as he fell toward Draco. There was a large explosion as the blade hit the ground. Draco had rolled out of the way.

Draco suddenly pointed his wand forward and shouted, "Draco Incendio!" Harry was shocked when a powerful flame in the form of a mighty dragon erupted from Draco's wand with a mighty roar. Harry barely managed to dodge the fire dragon and was singed.

"What the?" he muttered.

Draco glared at Harry and said, "The dragon flame spell is my own creation, Potter. A spell that can only be used by me and me alone: it's my greatest spell in my arsenal and it's the spell that will mean your doom!"

Draco suddenly started coughing up blood again. Harry had a look of concern on his face but dropped it when Draco glared at him.

"Is that so?" said Harry. "Well, to tell you the truth I also have a spell that I alone can use: the stellar patronus."

Draco and Hermione stared at Harry in shock and disbelief. Ron looked confused. "The stellar patronus? What's that?"

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Hermione couldn't help rolling her eyes and said, "Ron, didn't you ever pay attention in History of Magic?"

"Hermione, it was Binns teaching that class. No one paid attention in that class, except you."

Hermione went into her lecture mode: "The stellar patronus is essentially a more advanced form of the patronus charm. It is basically a dark magic cleanser and anybody whom is hit by has all dark magic in his body expelled. It takes on the shape of the zodiac sign of the caster." At this point she stopped and glanced at Harry in confusion before she continued, "But in all history, only one person was ever known to have been able to use the stellar patronus: its creator, Godric Gryffindor."

"Yes," said Harry. "But what a lot of people don't know is that Gryffindor hid the secret of the stellar patronus somewhere in Hogwarts after Salazar Slytherin's betrayal." Harry pulled his hat down lower. Hermione gasped in understanding.

"The Sorting Hat," she said.

"That's right," said Harry. "This hat on my head is the secret to my abilities as a Battle Wizard. So long as I have this hat on, I am the sole possessor of the stellar patronus."

"Is that all you have to say?" hissed Draco. He coughed up more blood but continued: "If you've quite finished, why don't we finish what we've started, Potter!" He straitened up and yelled, "Draco Incendio!" Once again, the fire dragon flew toward Harry with a mighty roar.

Harry stood his ground. He started to move his wand and sword around into the form of the constellation Leo and said, "Astra Patronum Leo!"

A mighty, golden Lion burst forward, with shining stars within the body that correlated with the constellation Leo. The lion sped through the fire dragon, causing it to disappear with a scream. Draco stared in disbelief as the lion engulfed his body. He started screaming as a powerful surge of energy sped through his body. A shadowy vapor started to seep out of his body. Soon, the light of the lion disappeared, all of the vapor left Draco, and Draco Malfoy collapsed to the ground, panting and wheezing.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron gathered around Draco. "There isn't a single trace of dark magic in your body anymore," said Harry. He kneeled down in front of Draco and examined the blood Draco had coughed up.

"I should've known," said Harry. "You used the Battle grant spell, didn't you Draco?"

"The what?" asked Ron.

"The Battle grant spell," said Harry. "It grants you the powers of a Battle Wizard, but at a price." He turned back to Draco and said, "Why Draco? You should know that that spell was fatal."

Draco now had tears rolling down his face. "I wanted to win. All my life I've always wanted beat you, Potter. But it never happened. Just once, I wanted to beat you, and yet even this last gamble failed."

Harry stared at Draco in disbelief. "At the cost of your life?"

"That wouldn't have mattered since Hermione was supposed to carry my child. I was going to take her after I beat you and at least have the Malfoy blood line live on."

Rage started to build up in Ron as he spat, "Malfoy you sick ba..."

"Let me finish!" yelled Draco as he coughed up more blood. He was fully crying when he said. "Hermione, I'm so sorry."

Hermione stared at Draco in disbelief. "What?"

"I'm so sorry," whispered Draco, tears streaming down his eyes. "When the Dark Lord chose me to bare his heir it was also decided that a muggle or a muggle-born would be the mother. He read my thoughts and found the feelings I had for you. So they decided to use you."

Hermione gasped. Draco continued.

"I never wanted to have to rape you, but I could not go against the Dark Lord. I wanted you to at least accept willingly, but you refused and gave me no choice. I'm so sorry. All I ask before I die, is that you have it in your heart to forgive me."

Hermione stared at Draco for a while. Finally, a look of sorrow came over her face and she whispered, "I forgive you Draco Malfoy."

Draco smiled but another coughing fit of blood took hold of him. He started cough up more and more blood until finally, he collapsed. Slowly, he closed his eyes, his breathing stopped, and Draco Malfoy was dead.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N Ack! I fell behind schedule! How could I? But I finally managed to get this chapter complete. Sure hope you all enjoy it. So, please read and review this chapter. This story is coming down on the climax. Enjoy!