Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Year to Remember by MarianLibrarian
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Year to Remember

MarianLibrarian

Disclaimer: I do not own the HP characters or the Walk 2 Remember story line.

Summary: Harry's always been the rebel without a cause, until he gets in trouble anyway. Now he spends most of his time hanging out with the largest geek he knows: Hermione Granger. Hermione has always been different, but as Harry unintentionally gets to know her, he begins to realize that what he's always needed was right there in front of him.

A/N: This is based on the film and novel A Walk to Remember. It is an AU so many of the HP characters will seem OOC. I recommend reading A/Ns before each chapter because they will help explain some things along the way. I hope you enjoy this.

WARNING: Some language used in this story may be found offensive. Please be aware.


A Year to Remember

Chapter One

When I was seventeen, my life changed forever. I never thought that year would turn out like it did. Not everyone believes me when I say this. But that's because no one experienced what I had. No one experienced what she had. I've rarely told my story to anyone. It's not something that can be explained in a paragraph or two. This is the story of one year that changed my life completely and the story of one girl that changed my soul forever. I will try not to leave anything out. At some points, you may laugh, at others you may cry. But this is my story. This is her story.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"What's it gonna be this time Dumbledore? Detention for a week with Snape? Or will you bring Lockhart back to torture me?"

"Harry," the old man sighed, "sit down."

The rugged looking green-eyed teenager slumped down into a black leather armchair to his right. He crossed his arms and stared darkly into the light blue eyes of the elderly man across from him. They sat in silence for five minutes or so, having an unspoken staring contest. Finally the old man with long white hair spoke up.

"Harry, do you think I made you Head Boy for a reason?"

Harry sat silently for a moment, actually thinking about what he was going to say.

"Because I'm Harry Potter?"

Dumbledore looked at him crossly.

"Not because you're Harry Potter, 'The Boy Who Lived,'" he said sternly, "but because you are Harry Potter, the boy who every student looks up to no matter how old they are. But now I am seriously considering taking that back."

"Professor, it was just a prank," Harry said lazily, rolling his eyes.

"Harry," Dumbledore began in the same cross tone, "it was not just a prank. Collin Creevey is paralyzed for life. No magic can fix that."

"He didn't have to jump," Harry protested, extremely annoyed that he was wasting his time. "What are you going to do? Expel me?"

"Harry, I've let you off the hook countless times. I could have expelled you years ago but I didn't. And you want to know why? Because I had faith in you." Dumbledore let those last, few words ring in Harry's ears for a moment. Harry rolled his eyes, acting like he didn't care. But deep down, he did. "Now I'm going to give you one last chance. If you blow it, you're out of Hogwarts for good."

"Fine, fine," Harry replied, standing up to leave, "I'll be a good little boy and make my dead parents proud. Are you happy?"

"Harry, I'm not done. Sit down."

Harry's jaw dropped an inch. What more could there possibly be? The guilt trip was good enough. He sighed deeply and sat down again. His midnight black hair fell in front of his emerald eyes but he didn't bother to brush it back. He didn't want to look into Dumbledore's eyes again.

"In punishment for your thoughtless actions," the white haired man began, "you will join your fellow Head Girl in the activities you are supposed to be involved in. That includes tutoring the younger students on the weekends, even if it means missing a trip to Hogsmeade. You are to be involved with the youth theater group that was started this year, aiding Professor Sinistra where she needs help most. You will be of any service to any teacher that needs you, and you will do it all for the mere satisfaction that it brings."

"C'mon Professor!" Harry exclaimed furiously. "I have a life and a reputation to uphold. I'll never have time to hang out with my friends."

"May I suggest Harry that you make new friends."

Harry stared at Dumbledore in utter disbelief. His eyes were wide and his mouth open. Out of his seven years of misconduct at Hogwarts, this was by far the worst punishment he had ever received. He was Harry Potter; he didn't have to be treated like this.

"Make new friends?" Harry asked stubbornly. "Like who? That geeky Hermione Granger?"

"Miss Granger may not be as well known as you Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said furiously, "but with what she has done at this school, she is much more deserving of being Head Girl than you are of being Head Boy." He sat behind his desk, glaring at Harry. He hadn't called him Mr. Potter in such a long time. And not once had he ever glared like that. The sweet tinkle in his eyes had left. They were now dark, and angry; something Harry had never seen before.

"You start tomorrow," Dumbledore continued, "you may go."

Harry stayed seated for a few more moments, not really believing what had just happened to him. He slowly got up from his chair and made his way to the door.

"And Harry, don't mess up."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You have to join that bloody drama club? And tutor on weekends?"

Harry sighed deeply, and nodded to his best friend, Ron Weasley.

"Go on, mate," Ron said coolly, "just ditch."

"I can't," Harry sighed again.

"What's Dumbledore gonna do? Expel you?"

"Yes."

"Oh," the red head said shortly. He paused for a moment before he went on. "Then I guess we'll see each other at lunch and stuff. But mate, the gang won't be the same without you."

"I know. But you know what else that wiseass told me? He said I should make new friends."

Ron looked as though he had just been slapped. He blinked a few times and then looked at Harry, completely appalled.

"Make new friends? How much better can you get than me? Oh, shit. Wait 'til I tell Draco that. He'll probably have his father come up to the school and demand that 'Mr. Harry Potter is unleashed from his servant work.'" Ron began to laugh hysterically, thinking that his impersonation of their friend's father was actually funny.

"It's not that funny," Harry said gloomily, staring at the raging fire in front of him.

"What's not that funny?"

Harry turned around to see his other best friend, Draco Malfoy, accompanied by his personal whore, Ginny Weasley. Even though she was Ron's sister, nothing else could describe her more kindly. Ron and his brothers even admitted it, and sometimes wondered where they went wrong, jokingly of course.

"How'd you get in here?" Harry asked, though it wasn't much of a surprise to see him in the Gryffindor common room anyway.

"Gin," Draco replied shortly, nodding towards the red head that was hanging off of him. "So what's Ronnie laughing at this time?"

Harry sighed and began to explain his punishment for the whole Collin Creevey ordeal. Draco listened intently, even though Ginny tried to get his attention by licking his ear and kissing his neck. When Harry finished telling the trauma, Draco stood up outraged, making Ginny land on the floor.

"Draco!" she whined.

"Later Ginny!" he snapped. He then began to pace around the room. "We can get him back. He can't do this to you, to us! This is our last year! How are we gonna plan the big finale prank without you? Damn, that Dumbledore always finds a way to punish us. God! We have to get him back. It's as simple as that."

"And get the whole gang expelled?" Harry replied. "Like that's a brilliant idea. Your best yet in fact!"

Draco slumped onto one of the couches next to Harry and stared at the fire, thinking. A few minutes later he let out a heavy sigh.

"Well, we'll still see ya at lunch and stuff."

"Thanks Drake, you're a real pal," Harry said sarcastically.

Just then the portrait hole swung open and in stepped the one and only, Hermione Granger. Ron spotted her first and let out a loud groan. Harry and Draco turned and groaned as well.

"Hi guys," Hermione said cheerily when she reached the small group, "where's the rest of the gang?"

"Not here," Ginny said coldly, still sulking about being turned down by her boyfriend.

"I see," Hermione replied. She was quiet for a moment and soon realized that no one was going to talk to her. "Well, umm, it's getting pretty late. I just wanted to let you know Harry, tutoring starts at 8:00 A.M. sharp." She got no response. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow in the library then. 'Night everyone." She turned on her heel and made her way up to the girls dormitory, her wavy brown hair bobbing along the way.

"See you tomorrow in the library then," said Ron, in a high pitched, mocking voice. They all laughed, except Harry. He was staring at the staircase, where Hermione had last been. His mind was swarming with so many different thoughts and emotions. He couldn't believe he would actually have to breathe the same air as her, on a weekend. This was supposed to be his year, but it was already falling apart. He stood up abruptly and started walking towards the opposite staircase, which led to the boy's dormitory.

"See you tomorrow in the library!" Ron called out to him, making Ginny and Draco and a few other people around him snort with laughter. Harry ignored him, verbally. Instead, he simply raised a single finger up in Ron's face and then disappeared into his dorm room, making Ron laugh even harder.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*