Unofficial Portkey Archive

Three Broomsticks by katediggory
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Three Broomsticks

katediggory

Three Broomsticks

Chapter One

It was around One am when a tall young woman apparated into the middle of the living room of a spacious West London flat. She was dressed in jungle clothing, her chestnut hair tied in a loose knot on top of her head, caked from head to toe in dust and dirt, and swaying on her feet with exhaustion. She smiled to be in the familiar surroundings, and leaving her large backpack where it had landed she trudged towards the door at the end of the hallway, her heavy boots suddenly feeling like lead weights. Soft lights illuminated as she entered the bedroom, she sighed, and sank onto the large double bed, flopping her head onto the pillow. She then reached her hand under her head and retrieved a small roll of parchment. She opened it curiously, and chuckled as a small chocolate mint fell out of the parchment.

`Mione

Like you ever surprise me…Knew you'd be back today. `The Hotel Harry and Ron' is always open to you! The service since your last visit has expanded to include the traditional mint on your pillow, fresh towels in the bathroom and a full cooked breakfast at whatever time you surface tomorrow. I'll be here when you wake up.

X

Harry

Gently placing the mint and note on the small table beside the bed, she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. It had been an extremely long day, and a minute later Hermione was in a deep sleep, the lights still on, still wearing her boots.

Harry's eyelids fluttered open. He glanced at the clock by his bed and saw it was one thirty in the morning. He swung his legs over the side of the bed, and dressed in a pair of low-slung pyjama bottoms and silently he walked out into the hallway. Anyone listening for movement in the flat would have missed Harry's presence in the living room. He was expertly trained in stealth movements, and he automatically slipped into old habits when walking around the flat at night. He paused as spied a familiar battered backpack lying by the sofa and smiled. He knew she'd be back tonight. He walked to the end of the hallway, and shook his head in amusement as he stood in the open doorway looking at his best friend sprawled across her bed, fully dressed, the lights on.

Harry silently entered the room, though Hermione would probably have continued sleeping if a herd of elephants had been running through the flat. He crouched down and gently unlaced her boots, pulling her feet free and lifting her legs further onto the bed. He retrieved a blanket from the armchair by the window and placed it over her. He stood, with his legs crossed, his shoulder leaning against the doorframe watching her sleep contentedly. He stood there for several minutes and then without looking up he spoke.

"Hey Ron."

Ron Weasley walked out into the darkened hallway from his own room, and joined Harry at the door to Hermione's room. He grinned to see the mess she was in.

"It's good to have her back again." Ron said softly. Harry nodded and switched out the lights and gently closed the door. He patted Ron on the shoulder and headed to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. He stood leaning his hands on the kitchen counter staring contentedly at the clock on the wall, His, Ron, Hermione and Lavender's hands were all pointing to "Home". Well at least he knew he'd sleep well tonight knowing they were all home safely.