Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Excalibur's Responses by Excalibur
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Excalibur's Responses

Excalibur
Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 7)
Challenge: Harry and Hermione Bump Heads
Title: Occlumency Is Not a Mind Game
Word Count: 1,000

Occlumency training was one of the worst experiences for Harry Potter. Snape was relentless and each of their sessions left Harry drained emotionally. The sessions with his headmaster the polar opposite and in a surprisingly short amount of time he was learning the delicate art of Legilimency.

Harry had become the youngest wizard to master both Legilimency and Occlumency by the end of his sixth year at Hogwarts and the unparalleled success that Harry enjoyed proved to him once and for all that he was a powerful wizard in his own right. His self-esteem reached new heights and his Gryffindor courage roared.

He also experienced a remarkable improvement in his grades at the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. By the end of the year, he had increased his academic stature to rival that of Draco Malfoy and thus firmly sealed the enmity of his Slytherin rival.

Harry couldn't have done it alone. His success was attributed to a particular girl that he'd known from the first time he rode the Hogwarts Express. The only girl to do what no other had been able to do: Win his heart. Harry had worked diligently with Hermione over the course of their sixth year to improve his marks in an attempt to qualify for Auror training. They worked closely during the year and through their contact and closeness a new feeling subtly inched its way into Harry's life. Hermione had always been there for him, through every trial and tribulation, and had remained loyal when even his other best friend had not.

They had spoken of the prophecy that ruled his destiny, debated of its validity, and spent several hours researching the dusty tomes in the school's library for answers. Harry never divulged the startling revelation he'd had when he rushed to Hermione's side the night she was struck down at the Department of Mysteries and with the prophecy ruling his future, he thought it best that revelation was kept secret.

The summer passed as uneventfully as the school year and their seventh and final year was upon them. The D.A. was set to meet when they returned to Hogwarts and Harry and Hermione created a curriculum of advanced defense courses for the new and long term D.A. members.

Harry surveyed the students before him and nodded when he finished the headcount. "Welcome to the first meeting of the year. Hermione and I have developed a new training schedule that has quite a bit of N.E.W.T. level magic involved."

"With tensions rising from fresh Death Eater attacks, we thought it best to equip everyone with as much knowledge as we could." Hermione continued. "The schedule is on the far wall. There will be physical education added as well to give everyone an edge should they need it. Most dark wizards prefer the use of their wands and will not expect an outright physical attack."

"Over the course of the year, I will be training people in the art of Occlumency." Harry explained. "I will start with Hermione and we'll work our way down from seventh years to first years. Pair off and begin working with chapter one of the advanced dueling texts we've handed out."

The members paired off and began their assigned reading and wandwork as Harry and Hermione stepped off to one corner where a pile of mats were stationed.

"Remember what I told you." Harry began as he brought his wand to the ready. "Clear your mind and control your emotions." Hermione nodded she was ready and raised her wand. "Try to fight back like we did with the Imperius Curse in fourth year. On the count of three ... One - two - three! Legilimens!"

He watched as images streamed from her mind to his. Hermione was concentrating hard as one memory after another revealed itself. She was standing in a sandbox crying over a broken doll ... She was talking to Neville about a missing toad and opened a door to find Harry and Ron ... She glanced at Harry while he was reading his defense books ...

His wand flew from his hand when Hermione used the disarming charm and their contact broke. She fell to all fours gasping for air and Harry stepped up to her.

"Are you alright?" He asked quietly as he bent to help her up.

She stood abruptly but Harry wasn't fast enough to dodge. With a sickening thud, they collided and both ended up sprawled on their backs clutching their heads.

Something happened and the stream of memories resumed between the two but this time as a two way channel. Harry watched helplessly as images flew through his mind without the strength to stop them.

Hermione kissed him on the cheek after fourth year ... Her seemingly lifeless body slumped against the wall at the Department of Mysteries ... His glances at her lips, neck, and hidden body as she wrote an essay ...

Hermione's thoughts were flashing in his mind as well and his eyes went wide at what he saw. She snuck into Ron's room to watch Harry sleep ... She purposely ripped her bag and Harry helped her with her books ... She's writing in her diary ...

The last thing he expected to defeat a Legilimency attack came in the form of moist, soft lips as they pressed against his. Harry's eyes went wide when he realized that those lips belonged to Hermione.

She pulled away with a look of regret in her eyes and a hand firmly pressed against the back of her head. "I'm sorry, Harry." She said sadly. "I had to ... now that you know ... how I feel." She turned to leave but Harry caught her arm.

"Didn't you see my memories?" He asked quietly. His head was still throbbing from their impact and he tilted to the side dizzily. "I feel the same way, Hermione." He whispered quietly. She looked at him incredulously but couldn't respond because his lips were pressed against hers.