Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Friends? by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Friends?

Amynoelle

Author's note: Well it's been quite awhile since I wrote one on my own, but I finally have something for you guys. I hope you like it. I really got used to writing with Heaven on Dirty Dancing and it took awhile to get back in the groove of writing on my own. I don't know if I'm happy with this, but here it is. Please be kind.

The idea for this and the title came from a very good book called Just Friends by Robyn Sisman. It's a very good book. This story isn't going to follow that plotline…just the premise is similar. I'm abandoning the song thing for now…it gets kind of exhausting looking for things to fit…as I go along, if a song fits the chapter I will post it with the chapter, but for now…it's just the chapter. Tell me what you think, please!

Chapter One

Tuesdays at Eight

It was just gone eight o'clock in the evening and the last thing in the world Harry Potter wanted to be doing was heading to O'Malley's Pub. He was extremely knackered after a trying day at work and what he wanted most in the world to do was head back to his house and collapse into bed. But, he couldn't do that. If he did that, he'd have to incur the wrath of one Hermione Jane Granger and having been there before, he wasn't so willing to go there again. The reason he was heading to the pub on this night was simple. It was Tuesday.

Tuesday nights for the past five years had belonged solely to Ron, Hermione and Harry. The tradition had started right out of Hogwarts. Hermione had been particularly worried that they might lose contact with each other or grow apart as their lives took them in new, but different directions. Both Ron and Harry had tried to assure her that this could never happen, but she'd been adamant about sorting out something that would keep them all together, in some shape or form, at least once a week.

They'd decided to meet every week at a Muggle pub in downtown London. It was near Hermione's own flat, and with it being a Muggle establishment, they didn't have to worry about anyone bothering them for an autograph or asking to see Harry's scar.

Trio Tuesdays (as Ron jokingly referred to them) were not to be missed. Hermione had established the ground rules straightaway. Although Ron scoffed at the idea of having rules for something that was supposed to be fun, he'd consented when Hermione pointed out that there were only two rules to follow. The first rule was that no matter where you were, what you were doing or who you were doing it with, you never let this stop you from being there at O'Malley's on Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. The second rule was that no outsiders (herein defined as significant others, colleagues, spouses, other friends-either mutual or exclusive---or family members were permitted to, as Hermione put it, "soil the sanctity of this event". Ron had been particularly bowled over by the wording of that particular rule, but being as it was Hermione, he'd let that go.

So far, no one had ever broken the rules.

Which was why Harry was quite surprised to see that he was the first one to arrive. This never happened. Hermione was, without fail, always the first to arrive. He scanned the room for any sight of her, but couldn't spot her. Thinking she was probably in the loo, he headed over to their usual table in the back and took off his coat and hung it casually over his chair.

He hadn't even been sitting a minute when he heard a familiar voice from behind.

"I know I'm late, but…" Ron Weasley's voice trailed off when he saw that Harry was alone at the table. "Where's Hermione?"

"Don't know," Harry said, shrugging his shoulders. "I just got here myself. Maybe she's in the loo?"

"Good," Ron said, exhaling and taking a seat across from Harry. "If she comes out we can say we were here the entire time."

"She'll see right through us," Harry pointed out.

"You're probably right," Ron said frowning.

Ten minutes later and there was still no Hermione. Ron was getting a little impatient. He and Harry had made the obligatory small talk, catching up on the day's events and talking a bit about Quidditch.

"She's late," Ron said, again scanning around the pub for some sign of their best friend. "She's never late. She's always the first to arrive."

"She'll be here," Harry said.

"You know," Ron said, with a wicked gleam in his eyes, "I'd almost love it if she didn't show up just so I could have a go at her about it. You do remember that time I had that stomach flu?"

Harry nodded and stifled a laugh. He knew where this was going.

"I was sick as a dog and was throwing up everything I think I'd ever eaten in my life," Ron said dramatically.

"That's a lot of food then," Harry said, under his breath.

Ron who had either not heard this comment or chosen to ignore it continued with his recollection.

"You remember how she called me and told that I had to at least put in an appearance or she was never going to speak to me again. So, I went on her little guilt trip and showed up here, but spent the better part of the evening in the loo praying over the porcelain god."

Harry chortled. "Well, yes, but the important thing, Ron, is that you did show up."

Ron frowned. "I'm going to go and place a drink order. You want anything?"

"Yeah," Harry said, reaching into his pocket for his wallet, but Ron shook his head.

"I've got this round," he said good-naturedly. "You want the usual?"


Harry nodded and watched as Ron made his way toward the bar. Again, Harry looked around the bar for any sign of Hermione. He hadn't said this to Ron, but he was starting to worry himself. Ron was right. It wasn't like Hermione to be late.

He silently chastised himself for thinking the worst straightaway. Hermione was always telling him that he didn't always have to look for the danger in everything. She'd probably just gotten hung up at work, Harry thought to himself.

Hermione worked in the Ministry of Magic in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. She was the head researcher and archivist for the International Magic Office of Law. The job was something that she not only excelled at, but something she enjoyed. Harry teased her that she was the only 23-year old that he knew who was ecstatic at the prospect of being cooped up in a library poring over thick tomes.

She wasn't all work and no play, though. For the past two years, she'd been involved with Brian Finley, an Auror she'd met through Harry. They'd moved in together nearly a year after they'd started dating, much to Hermione's parents' chagrin.

If you had asked anyone at Hogwarts who would be the least likely to get married straight out of school, they wouldn't have hesitated to name Ron Weasley at the top of the list. But, that was before he'd started dating Luna Lovegood. Luna had spent the summer before her seventh year at Hogwarts at The Burrow and to her delight and Ron's surprise, she and Ron grew close. It wasn't too long before they were seriously dating. Ron had been nearly impossible to deal with when Luna had gone back to school and he was away playing Quidditch. Distance had been hard for the couple, but it made them appreciate what they'd found in each other. When Luna graduated from Hogwarts, Ron proposed and a few months later, the two of them were married in a quiet ceremony at The Burrow. A year later, the two of them were parents. In order to be closer to his family, Ron quit Quidditch and took a job with his dad at The Ministry. He begrudgingly admitted that he liked the job, which only pleased both Luna and his mother.

Harry was quite happy with his own life. Although he wasn't dating anyone, he had his friends and his job to keep him occupied. He'd been accepted into the Auror training program right out of Hogwarts and quickly rose up the ranks.

There were many reasons as to why he'd not settled down with one woman yet. First and foremost with him being who he was, he had to be quite selective in the women he dated. He'd found out the hard way that a number of them were only interested in snagging "The Boy Who Lived" and not plain, old Harry. Another reason was that, he figured he was still young. He'd spent the majority of his childhood and teenage years, either preparing to battle or battling the most powerful dark wizard. Now that Voldemort had been vanquished, Harry figured it was time to have a little fun. He wasn't looking for a commitment, but deep down he knew that someday, he wanted to have a wife and a family of his own. He could see that down the road, but for now, he was content to just play the field.

Harry had never told anyone about this, but he sort of measured every girl he dated against Hermione. It made sense, he would tell himself, as she was his closest female friend. None of the girls he dated in the past could hold a candle to her. None of them challenged him like Hermione. None of them knew him the way Hermione did. While he knew this was unfair to judge other women by who they weren't instead of whom they were, he couldn't help it. He'd tried not to do it, but had failed each time.

Anyway you looked at it, Hermione was a good catch. If Harry had been half as smart as he thought he was, he'd have made a move on her when he'd had the chance, but he'd told himself that if they'd broken up, he might have lost the best friend he'd ever had. So, he'd decided not to pursue any romantic feelings he may have harbored for Hermione. Besides, he'd had a ringside seat for the disaster that was Ron and Hermione's two-week relationship. Their relationship during sixth year consisted mainly of study sessions and trips to Hogsmeade. Harry had been caught in the middle between the two of them and they'd both used him as a sounding board. He was quite relieved when the two of them decided that they made much more sense as friends than they ever could as a couple.

"Here you are," Ron said, coming back to the table and thus breaking Harry out of his reverie. He handed Harry a pint of bitter and sat down. "So still no sign of our Miss Granger?"

Harry shook his head.

"I'm starving," Ron said, frowning. "I knew I should have just eaten with Luna, but I thought we'd be getting something here so I didn't. And then Hermione has to go and do this."

He greedily grabbed for a handful of peanuts from the basket in the middle of the table and shoved them into his mouth.

"She can't expect me to wait for her," Ron said, after Harry gave him a disapproving look. "It's just some peanuts. Hermione's lucky we haven't already ordered."

Just then, Harry looked up to see Hermione making her way toward them. Ron, however, had no idea, as his back was to Hermione.

"So," Harry said, stealing a glance at Hermione as she came closer toward them, "when she gets here, you're going to tell her off for being late?"

Ron nodded as he took another handful of peanuts from the basket. "You're damn right I am! She's always the one talking about being prompt and being on time and all that rubbish, but look at her now. She's fifteen minutes late! If she doesn't show up, I'm not going to let her hear the end of it."

Hermione had caught the tail end of his statement and stifled a laugh as she stood behind Ron. With a wink at Harry, she slapped Ron hard on the back. Ron nearly jumped out of his seat and turned around and scowled at his friend.

"Good thing for you that I did show up," Hermione said with a grin. She took her jacket off and kissed Harry's cheek before sitting down beside him.

"Sorry that I'm late you guys," she began apologetically. "I had to stop by the flat on my way home from work and Brian was there…"

"Please, please, please don't disgust me with some sex story," Ron interjected.

Hermione glared at him. "Okay, Ron. For one thing, that isn't the reason why I was late. And for another, when have you ever heard me to discuss that sort of thing with either of you?"

Ron shrugged. "So what was the real reason for your tardiness? I'd hate to have to deduct 50 points from Gryffindor."

Hermione gave him her trademark Granger eye roll.

"What are you drinking tonight, Hermione?" Harry asked, hoping that the change of subject would prevent yet another row between the self-proclaimed King and Queen of Banter.

Hermione thought for a moment. "I'll just have some cocoa, please."

Harry laughed. In the entire time he'd known her, he'd only seen Hermione drunk once. Graduation night, she'd had a few pints, but with her tolerance being so low, that was all it took. The next morning, she'd gotten so sick, that she'd vowed never to do it again. The only thing alcoholic Harry had seen her drink since then was some champagne at Ron and Luna's wedding.

Harry stopped a waitress and gave her Hermione's order.

Hermione picked up a menu and absently looked through it. "So, have you guys decided what you want to eat tonight?"

Harry grabbed the menu out of her hands and stared at her. "Out with it, Hermione. What made you so late?"

She looked sheepishly between her two friends. "Can't a girl just be late every now and then?"

"A girl can, yes," Ron said with a laugh. "You, on the other hand, cannot."

Harry could tell that something was bothering Hermione. He could see it in her eyes, but she didn't seem all that willing to talk about it.

"Let me guess," Ron said excitedly. He gave Hermione a goofy grin. "Flourish & Blotts finally received the newest edition of Hogwarts: a History and you had to be the first to have it!"

Hermione let out a hollow laugh and then shook her head.

"No," Ron asked bemused. 'Okay, give me a minute. It'll come to me."

"A-ha!" he said a moment later. "I've got it. You finally did it, Hermione! You've actually gotten someone to join SPEW without having to force or guilt them into it."

Hermione scowled at him. "It's not SPEW," she said scathingly. "It's---"

"S-P-E-W," Ron and Harry said together.

"And I never guilt tripped or forced anyone into it," Hermione said defensively. She knew Ron would never take her side so she looked to Harry. "Right?"

Harry scratched the back of his neck and looked away as Ron grinned triumphantly.

Hermione sighed. "Well, it's not that. I wasn't going to say anything, but-"

"What?"

Hermione averted her eyes. "Brian and I-"

"Brian and you, what?" Harry asked.

"You're getting married?" Ron guessed.


Hermione laughed loudly. "No, you can pretty much rule that out."

"What then?" Ron asked.

Hermione looked away and for the first time since it had actually happened, she felt tears coming to her eyes. She hadn't cried when they'd had their big argument a few hours ago, but now as she was about to relive it for her two best friends, the raw emotion of it was coming at her full force.

"Mione?" Harry asked gently. He put a hand on her arm. "What is it?"

"Brian and I broke up," she said quietly.

"What?" Ron asked. "When?"

"Just now," Hermione said softly. "We had this huge fight right before I came here and it was horrible. He said some really hateful things and I just-"her voice trailed off as she started to really cry. Harry scooted his chair closer to hers and wrapped her up in his arms.

"What did he say?" Harry asked, patting her comfortingly on the back.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat. She wasn't sure if she should be completely honest with Harry and Ron about this, since it involved them, particularly Harry. She didn't want Harry to think that this had been his fault in any way.

She pulled away from Harry and wiped a tear from her cheek. "It's nothing, really."


Ron and Harry exchanged a look. "Yes, it is. What did he say?" Harry asked. "You can tell us."

Hermione sighed. "Things haven't been that great between us for quite some time, actually. Lately, it seemed as if all we were doing is arguing."

As she looked between her two friends, she knew she'd never tell them that she and Brian had only been intimate one time in the past month. This was quite a switch from the beginning of their relationship when they'd barely been able to keep their hands off of each other. They'd always been able to talk to each other, too, and had shared in each other's accomplishments. That had all changed recently when Brian's insecurities flared up yet again. This had been a sore spot in their relationship almost from day one. He'd joked that he felt like an intruder on the "Dream Team", but Hermione had always done her best to include him. She'd even thought he understood about the Tuesday night get-togethers, but he'd soured on them over the past couple of months. He'd made snide comments about her not having time for him, but always having time for Harry and Ron. He especially didn't like Harry, which was quite odd for Hermione since Harry was the one who introduced her to Brian.

She'd had spent the better part of the last two months trying to assure Brian that is was him that she loved and it was him that she wanted to be with. She told him that Harry was her friend. Tonight, she'd even told him that Harry was her best friend and if he asked her to choose between them, he wouldn't like her answer. That had been the straw that broke the camel's back as Brian had gone on and on about not wanting to spend the rest of his life trying to measure up to Harry Potter. Hermione had told him that he was being ridiculous. She could still remember telling him that she and Harry had to deal with this sort of speculation about their relationship for years. First it was Rita Skeeter, then Viktor Krum, their schoolmates, even teachers. Brian had laughed at her, which had only infuriated Hermione even more. She could still hear the cold words he'd said to her as she'd left the flat.

"Maybe they've seen all too clearly what you don't want to admit," he'd said.

She could feel the anger boiling up in her as those words echoed in her head.

"We just decided to cut our losses," she said simply. She knew Harry and Ron didn't buy this at all, just as she wouldn't have if the situation was reversed and one of them was going through a breakup.

"Okay," Harry said softly. He touched Hermione's cheek. "You don't want to talk about it now, but when you do, we'll be here for you."

"Thanks," Hermione said gratefully. She could always count on Harry.

"I'm not going back there tonight," she said resolutely. "I thought I'd go back to my parents."

She groaned. "I can just hear my parents going on and on about how I should have known better. That I shouldn't have moved in with someone and blah-blah-blah."

"You don't have to go to your parents''," Harry said resolutely. "Come home with me."

Hermione looked at Harry and shook her head. "I can't do that, Harry!"

"Like hell you can't!" Harry retorted. "You're coming home with me and that's the end of it. Come on, 'Mione. I have like 40 rooms at Grimmauld Place. You can have your pick. We'll even go by the shops on the way home and pick you up some ice cream."

"Why?" Hermione asked, laughing in spite of herself. "You've watched too much telly and movies where the girl consoles herself with ice cream after a breakup."

"Since when do you need an excuse to eat ice cream?" Ron said seriously. "Or to eat anything really."

"Ignore him," Harry said with a laugh. "Remember he was the emotional depth of a teaspoon."

Hermione giggled. She didn't know what she'd do without either of them.

"So what do you say, Hermione?" Harry asked, giving her his best flirtatious smile. "Are you coming home with me, or not?"

Hermione thought about this for a moment. If this got back to Brian, it would only confirm in his mind what he already thought. But, truth be told, she didn't want to be alone tonight. And she didn't want to hear her parents' "I told you so" lectures all evening.

"Throw in some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and I'm all yours," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry looked triumphantly at Ron.

"Never fails," he said.

"Okay, okay," Ron said, shaking his head. "All this talk about ice cream has me hungry. Can we eat now?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes, Ron. We can eat now."

With that, Ron nearly jumped out of his chair to go place his food order. Hermione and Harry exchanged a laugh.

"Thank you," Hermione said softly to Harry. He looked at her. "For what?"

"For being you," she said with a smile. "I don't know what I'd do without you."