Unofficial Portkey Archive

Midnight Lesson by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Midnight Lesson

Harrys Mistress

Here's short one shot I did based on a challenge by nelli08, http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=9352

Midnight Lesson

Harry didn't bother looking away from the fire when he heard the portrait swing open. The only person that was allowed in the private Head Boy/Head Girl common room was his best friend Hermione Granger, so it was no surprise when he smelled that familiar subtle scent of roses and vanilla. She always had that touch of scent, but Harry only noticed it during sixth year when they were hiding from Flitch in a very cluttered broom closet.

"What's up, Harry?" Hermione said as she plopped down on the couch next to him.

He just shrugged. "How were your rounds?"

"They were okay," Hermione said as she shrugged off her cloak. "Had to deduct twenty points from Ravenclaw when I caught two sixth years lip locking in the charms classroom."

Harry gave a small smile, but he was still gazing into the fire. Lip locking. Ironically, that was exactly what he was thinking about when she had walked in. "Harry, are you all right?" he heard her say and felt her hand touching his shoulder.

"Hmm?" he asked as he looked at her for the first time and noticed the very familiar concerning brown eyes looking back at him. "Oh…it's nothing, Hermione."

She sighed. "Harry, if you don't want to talk about it just say so, but you don't have to lie to me."

Harry rolled his eyes as he stared back into the fire. He could never hide anything from her and it was starting to get annoying. He couldn't even hide the prophecy from her for very long; she caught on quick that something other than Sirius' death was troubling him. "I don't want to talk about it," he grumbled.

"Fine," she said nicely and then turned her attention to the fire and sat there in silence.

Harry said nothing and the two of them sat side-by-side and gazed at the crackling fire. He wasn't going to talk about it, he wasn't going to give in and talk about something as silly as this. He wasn't. Nope…not him.

He felt her start to get up from the couch and he immediately turned to her. "Here's the thing…"

Hermione smiled softly and then calmly leaned back against the sofa and turned to Harry to listen. "Yes…"

"You know that girl…Jessica? She's in Ginny's class and…"

"Jessica Nichols, yes I know her," she said calmly. "The girl you started to notice at the beginning of the year."

He sighed. "Do I wear a sign on my forehead whenever I like someone?" he asked annoyingly. "You always know, even when I liked Cho."

Hermione laughed. "Harry, I'm sorry, but you are horrible at hiding your feelings." She patted his shoulder. "Don't worry though, almost all guys are. Go on, what about Jessica."

He stabbed his fingers in his hair and fumbled out the words he wanted to say. "Well…the thing is…I kind of asked her out…on a date."

Hermione's smile was small and Harry noticed it didn't reach her eyes. "That's great."

"Yeah," he mumbled. "I guess. I'm just…a little nervous about it, I guess."

"That's not uncommon, Harry, you shouldn't be ashamed about being nervous."

Harry stood up and began pacing. "I'm worried that it will be a disaster like my last date…with Cho."

She laughed and shook her head. "Harry, your seventeen now, you're a little bit older now."

"Yes, but that was the last date I've been on, Hermione," he pointed out to her and stopped pacing to look at her. "Sixth year was too crazy to even think about dating. All those Muggleborn attacks, I was too worried about you, too busy trying to protect you, I didn't have time to date or think about girls, you know?"

She nodded sadly. "I know," she mumbled as she looked into her lap. "I'm sorry I was the cause of that, because of me you…"

"No," he said firmly, sitting down next to her. "Don't finish that sentence, that's not what I meant. I'd do it all over again, Hermione, don't you dare feel guilty about it." He waited until Hermione looked at him and gave him a nod of understanding. Satisfied, he got up and began pacing again. "I haven't had a date in two years and that one was a failure and I'm scared I'm going to mess this one up again."

"Harry," she said as she got up, but he kept on pacing. "Harry, listen to me," she said firmly as she grabbed his shoulders. "What are you so worried about?"

Slightly embarrassed, he looked down at his feet and mumbled something under his breath. "What?" she asked as she bent her head down slightly so she could look at him. He sighed as he lifted his eyes up to her. "Kissing her," he finally said a little louder so she could hear him the second time around.

"Oh," Hermione said after a moment of silence. "I see."

Harry shook his head and gently shrugged off her hands so he could continue to pace. "My first kiss was awful, hardly worth even calling it a first kiss." Hermione stood still while she let him rant. "I mean, what if I am a bad kisser? I mean, hey, I can do spells and I'm a bloody good Quidditch player, but when it comes to kissing girls, I'm at a loss. I mean, I don't know what to do and I'm seventeen years old for Merlins sake."

"Harry, Harry," she finally said cutting him off as she jumped in front of him. "Calm down, it's okay."

Harry crossed his arms over his chest and sulked. "Easy for you to say, you're a girl, you don't have to worry about this stuff."

Hermione's brow lifted. "Excuse me? Are you mental?" She waited until Harry looked over at her. "Of course I worry about this stuff, I worry about it all the time. Books. Knowledge. That's what I know, that's what I'm comfortable with. I've only been kissed once and…"

"You've been kissed before?" Harry asked dumbstruck.

She scowled up at him. "Is that so hard for you to believe?"

"No," he said quickly. "Of course not, I'm just…shocked. Who kissed you?"

"Victor," she said and lifted up her chin. "Fourth year at the ball."

His eyes grew wide. "Are you kidding me? Fourth year? Why didn't you tell us?"

She let out a laugh. "Oh please, Harry, like I would tell you and Ron. Especially, Ron, he nagged on me for even agreeing to go with him to the ball."

He had to admit, she did have a point, and so he didn't dwell on it any further. "Well…how was it?"

She shrugged and headed back to the couch. "It was okay."

He joined her. "Just okay?" he asked as he eased down next to her. "See, this is what I'm talking about. I don't want Jessica to say my kiss was just, 'okay'. How did he do it?"

"Well…he was a bit too…forceful."

Harry's eyes narrowed. "He forced himself on you?"

"No, nothing like that," she assured him. "He was just…I don't know, a little too fast for me. I wasn't really ready for it and I always dreamed my first kiss would be sweet. You know what I mean? Soft and gentle, not fast and clumsy."

He nodded in understanding and felt a slight twinge of anger at Victor Krum for handling Hermione so roughly. Anyone could see she was sweet and delicate and deserved to be cherished…deserved to be adored. "Tell me how you dreamed your first kiss would be like," he asked softly as he shifted on the couch so he was now facing her.

She smiled softly as she copied his position. "Well, first…he would cradle my face with his hands…very gently, as if I was fragile and didn't want me to break."

His hands hesitated as he lifted them towards her face, than finally framed her face with his hands. "Like this?" he asked softly. Her cheeks were so soft. Like silk almost.

Her breathing quickened as she nodded her head slightly. "Y-yeah, perfect," she managed to say as she swallowed hard.

"This is good to know," he said as he mentally told himself this was practice. He was just learning from Hermione so he wouldn't make a fool out of himself Saturday on his date with…with…dammit, what was her name? Jessica! His date with Jessica. "What else did you imagine?"

"He would maybe sweep his thumb across my cheek, or over my bottom lip."

Harry obliged and swept his thumb across her soft cheek, back in forth, then slowly moved it to her lip and was amazed how enticing they were. He then froze and his eyes widened when she nipped softly at the pad of his thumb with her teeth. "That's what I dreamed I would do…if he did that."

His thumb still burned from the feel of her teeth and tongue and now he felt his heart bang against his chest. "Now what?" he finally managed to say.

"He would just…gaze into my eyes…seeking permission to kiss me…no, not verbally."

Harry closed his mouth and cocked his head to the side. "With a look?"

"Exactly. He didn't have to say anything, it would be like we knew what the other was thinking…we would both know we wanted the kiss to happen."

So he took his full of her with his eyes. He gazed beyond her chocolate orbs and noticed how beautiful they were. If someone had asked him what color Hermione's eyes were he would have said brown, but they were far from it. Gold flecks in her eyes that he never noticed seemed to hypnotize him and he found himself drawing closer to her. "How did you let him know?" he asked softly as his eyes flickered to her mouth. "That it was okay to kiss you."

Hermione's breathing was irregular and he could feel her warm breath fanning his lips. "I would just…lean up…just an inch closer…like this."

Harry's heart skipped a beat when her face shifted an inch closer to him so now their noses nuzzled and their mouths were inches away. "Then he would kiss you." Merlin, did he want to. So badly.

"Yes," she breathed. "He would kiss me…ever so softly…ever so gently that it would almost be like a whisper."

Harry hesitated at first as he stared at her mouth, than swept his thumb across her bottom lip again. He closed his eyes when she kissed his thumb and finally met her lips in a soft, delicate kiss. He didn't know who moved first. Maybe it was the both of them, but all he knew was that he was experiencing his first kiss. Hermione was right. This is what it was suppose to be like. Sweet and innocent.

Her lips trembled under his as he continued to caress her lips with his own, making sure he was as gentle as he could be. His hands that were still touching her face, slid upwards until they were lost in her long, soft hair, enjoying the way they felt tangled between his fingers. He heard her murmur something against his lips that he couldn't understand, but knew it was a sound of pleasure.

He kissed her a little more firmly, than found her bottom lip was captured between his teeth, so he nipped at them gently. She shivered and felt her hands clutching fist-full of his shirt and tugged him closer as she opened her mouth to him. Instincts took over and before he could stop himself, he pushed his tongue slowly into her mouth and the taste of her clouded all his senses. He groaned into her mouth, as he tasted her again, this time more deeply. The feel of her tongue rubbing against his over and over again was so sensually erotic that he couldn't seem to get enough.

Merlin, what was going on? How did this happen? They were talking about first kisses and all Harry wanted was her advice on what girls liked. That's all. How did it get to this? He had to stop. Merlin, he didn't want to, but he had to stop so he could have a clear head again and think. Just one last taste, he told himself and plunged deep into her mouth, causing both of them to moan in pleasure.

"Hermione," he gasped as he suddenly pulled away. His hands were framing her face again and her hands were around his wrists as they both looked at each other, out of breath. "Hermione…"

"Well," Hermione said before he could finish. "That was…rather good."

Rather good? Rather good?! It was bloody amazing! "Um…yeah," he finally said. "Hermione, listen I…"

"Harry, don't worry," she said breathlessly as she eased back from his touch. "I can honestly say you have nothing to worry about in that department."

Puzzled, Harry watched her run her hands smoothly down her hair. "What are you talking about?"

"You were worried right?" she said in her little polite voice he didn't care too much about. "You'll be fine, trust me. You kiss Jessica like that and…well, let's just say she'll quite enjoy it."

Harry's jaw dropped and watched her stand up and straighten her clothes. "Hermione…"

"Well, it's getting late, I better head to bed," she said in a rushed tone. "Good night, Harry, good luck on the date."

Harry waited about three seconds, before he finally flew up from the couch and ran to her. "Hermione, wait," he said firmly as he grabbed her arm and flung her around. "Don't just walk away from that."

She blinked up at him. "Harry, what's the problem?"

"So, that's it? It was just a practice to you?" he asked as he squeezed her arm. "That's all it was?"

"Harry, you're hurting me."

He eased up on his grip, but didn't let go. "You honestly think I want to go on a date with…with…"

"Jessica?"

"See, I can't even remember her name!"

She let out a flighty laugh. "Well, you better learn it before your date with her tomorrow, Harry, or…"

He grabbed her suddenly and yanked her hard against him. "The date's canceled."

With wide eyes, Hermione stared up at him. "Canceled? Since when?"

"Since just now," he said and then crushed his lips against hers.

There was nothing sweet and gentle about this kiss. It was fast and desperate as Harry pried her lips open with his tongue and took her with his mouth. She whimpered and then flung her arms around Harry as she kissed him back with as much flame and passion.

They began to shuffle backwards with their lips still firmly locked in a battle of teeth and tongue, before they tumbled together on the couch. Harry's back collapsed on the cushions and Hermione fell on top of him and they never broke their rhythm. "This is insane," Hermione gasped when Harry shifted her so he was now pinning her against the couch, while running his lips frantically along her neck.

"It's crazy," Harry agreed and captured her earlobe with his teeth. "That's why I trust it."

Hermione groaned as she tugged at his hair until her mouth found his once more. "Are we really going to do this?" she asked breathlessly.

He grinned down at her. "Looks like it." He kissed her, long and deep. "Any complaints?"

"Only one."

Harry stopped kissing her neck and looked up at her. "What's that?"

Hermione smiled at him as she affectionately ran a finger over his scar. "That we didn't do this sooner."

His heart ached at the sight of her and he didn't have the slightest clue why he never realized it. She was here…all this time in front of him. Now that he knew he was never letting her go. "Well, we better make up for loss time then, huh?"

She smiled and brought his lips back to hers. "Good idea." She nipped at his bottom lip. "Harry?"

"Hmm?" he mumbled as their lips flirted.

"Thanks for being my first kiss."

He frowned at her, giving her a confused look. "But I thought you said…"

"I know what I said." She framed his face with hers and kissed him long and hard. "I lied."