Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Win Your Heart by PhoenixFirebolt
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Win Your Heart

PhoenixFirebolt
To Win Your Heart

Chapter One - Moving On

Luna Lovegood, known by many around Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as "Loony" Lovegood, sat in the Great Hall at lunch time all alone, as usual. She was seated at the Ravenclaw table, her House, and was playing around with the food on her plate. She brushed a piece of straggly blonde hair off her face, for a moment revealing her large radish-shaped earrings.

"Hey, Loony!" a loud voice echoed across the room, "how are the Crumpled Shoracks doing?" The statement was followed by a round of laughter down her table.

Luna sighed but ignored her fellow students, much more interested in the person who was seated at the next table over. She was studying him carefully, her large, blue eyes not missing any detail. Bright red hair that was almost as unruly as his best friend's; blue eyes that always sparkled with mischief; a tall, lanky body that was starting to become more toned with his rigorous Quidditch schedule; and then that smile that could always make Luna melt. Oh yes, she had a very huge crush on Ronald Weasley, Keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team, prefect, and best friend of Harry Potter.

For two long years she had watched him from afar, ever since the beginning of fourth year. She had thought that she had made her affections for him quite obvious. She always insisted on calling him "Ronald," she sang the song "Weasley Is Our King" under her breath at every possible moment, and she always made a point to talk to him if she was around him. Ron was completely oblivious though, seeming to always be scared of her and calling her "Loony" along with everyone else.

Luna hadn't given up once yet and into fifth year, her feelings for him had only intensified. But now, as the sixth year was drawing to a close and Ron would soon be leaving Hogwarts, as this was his seventh year, she found her affections waning. In her opinion, she had done everything to admit her feelings and at this point, she figured he was either too dumb to notice or just wasn't interested in her. Luna opted to vote for the latter and this fact made her sad. She cared deeply for Ron, even though she barely knew him. There was just something about him that she was drawn to.

Luna watched as Ron, Hermione Granger, his other best friend, and Harry all stood up and made their way to the Entrance Hall. For a brief moment, she thought Ron's eyes flicked over to her but it must have been a trick of the light because the next moment, he was laughing at something Harry said. The three disappeared and Luna looked back at her untouched, cold plate of food. Pushing it away from her, she reached down for her school bag, intent on leaving as well, when someone fell into the seat across from her.

"Hi, Luna," Ginny Weasley, another sixth year, said in greeting.

Luna looked up and smiled at her only friend at Hogwarts. Ginny was in Gryffindor but the two got along fairly well. Ginny was the only person who really talked to Luna and especially after the fiasco at the Department of Mysteries in their fourth year, the two developed a sort of bond.

"Hello, Ginevra," Luna replied dreamily.

Ginny scowled a little at the use of her full name but let it pass. "How are you?"

"Oh," Luna said vaguely, "I'm fine."

"No, you're not," Ginny shot back bluntly.

Luna stared hard at her. "I would think I would know how I'm feeling."

Ginny sighed, not wanting to get in an argument with the girl. Luna was a nice person, but she was also very stubborn and independent. That side of her was not seen very often but it would sometimes burst out.

"You know what I mean, Luna," Ginny said softly. "Why don't you tell Ron how you feel, instead of just throwing subtle hints. I love him to death but, I will admit, he's a bit dense when it comes to girls. That whole thing with Hermione up until his fifth year is proof of that. I'm really glad he got over her before his heart was broken."

Luna knew Ginny was referring to the fact that Harry and Hermione had been dating ever since last year. Not that anyone hadn't really seen it coming, the two were inseparable and the best of friends, it fit that they would start dating. Ron, however, had pined after Hermione for a few years and everyone had been scared of his reaction. To the shock of the school, he had laughed it off and said, "It's about time!" Apparently, he had gotten over his crush on the cleverest witch in the school not long after his fifth year.

Luna had breathed a sigh of relief then, thinking maybe her chance had come. She dropped more hints, with Ginny's help, but Ron had started dating Lavender Brown then. They lasted only a few months though and for the past year, Ron had been single. Ginny had tried to ask if he was interested in anyone but he had said he was "happily unattached."

That was when Luna had started becoming frustrated and it had escalated ever since. She was tired of trying to prove herself to him. She was tired of being ignored by him. She was mostly tired of chasing him. A crush shouldn't be this hard on someone and Luna was starting to realize this.

Luna was going through her book bag like it was the most important thing in the world, Ginny watching impatiently. Finally wanting an answer, the redhead opened her mouth to say more when Luna cut her off.

"I'm not going to tell Ronald how I feel about him, because I don't think I feel the same way anymore."

Ginny's jaw dropped open in surprise. "Are you kidding me? You've liked Ron for two years and suddenly you just give up?"

Luna closed her eyes in distress. "Yes, I'm just going to give up. I'm tired of it, Ginny, I'm tired of everything I've done. He's obviously not interested in me, I should move on. I'm not that popular and I know guys don't really like me but," she shrugged, "you never know, I could find someone else. Neville Longbottom seems pretty nice."

Ginny snorted. "I don't believe this. I never knew you as one to give up. And Neville Longbottom? Yes, he's very nice, a little clumsy, but I don't think you two would get along in that way."

"You never know, Ginevra." Luna was back to her dreamy voice, giving her a small smile. "Look at you and Draco."

Ginny blushed furiously at this comment and looked over at the Slytherin table very quickly before facing Luna again. "Don't say that too loud," she hissed. "Only you and Hermione know about that. If Ron, or even Harry, found that out, Draco would be dead. They're way too protective of me."

"All the same," Luna continued, "opposites attract sometimes. Maybe Neville and me would work."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Ron and you are opposites!" she exclaimed. "Look, usually I wouldn't try to get my brothers together with anyone but you, you'd be good for Ron. Seriously!"

Luna smiled wistfully. "No, Ginevra, you're wrong. Ron will find somebody one day, someone really right for him. As for me, I'm moving on."

And she stood up, shoved a book in her bag, and swung the bag over her shoulder.

"Good-bye, Ginevra, I'll see you in class." Luna walked off, her radish earring swinging, and for once not whistling "Weasley Is Our King" under her breath.

Ginny stared after her sadly, feeling Luna was making a very big mistake.

.........................

Author's Note: Ok, I know this chapter is pretty short but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the idea before I take it any further. This idea popped out of nowhere into my head last night and I had to write it. I've written H/Hr and D/G stories and besides L/J, this is the only ship I haven't written exclusively about. There are so many stories that deal with Luna chasing Ron all the time and eventually they end up together. Well, I want one where Ron chases Luna, make it a bit more interesting. I hope this idea will intrigue you guys, there's not a lot of R/LL stories on Portkey yet. I'm also thinking of making most of this story post-Hogwarts. It's starting at Hogwarts but I believe it would make more sense to take it beyond that. We shall see I guess, lol.

Oh, and don't worry, I'm NOT abandoning The Heirs of Hogwarts. I'm writing it still so don't think that I'm pushing it aside for this story. "Heirs" is still my priority out of all my fics, this is just another one on the side to occupy myself with when I hit a bit of a block on the other story. I'm also planning on re-starting Love Is Never Simple. I hate leaving a fic sitting around unfinished.

So, I really hope you like my new story here. Please review and tell me what you think of the beginning. Again, I apologize for the really short chapter, I promise they will get longer!
Much Love,
PhoenixFirebolt