Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Promise by phoenixwriter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Promise

phoenixwriter

Author-Note: I would like to thank Austinlover for her betaing of this fic. For the song you might want to check out or download this H/Hr video by Kath: The Promise

The Promise


Years ago as the darkness took you away from me. I remember this day like it had just happened. As if just a moment ago Professor McGonagall told me a truth which I couldn't believe. Strangely enough I laughed loud out. If you remember her firmness then you know she never had looked at me that surprised as she had in this moment. Me, Hermione Granger, one of the smartest students in this college, made her speechless in disbelief at my reaction.

If you wait for me then I'll come for you
Although I've traveled far
I always hold a place for you in my heart
If you think of me If you miss me once in awhile
Then I'll return to you

What did she expect from me, that I cry, that I'm in shock, a sort of shock left without words? But you know me, I'm nothing like that. I kept repeating that I knew this day would come. If she had looked at me with surprise, she did it now with a kind of pity and surprise. How could I have known it? I knew you just for four months, how could I, plain Hermione, had known it?

I'll return and fill that space in your heart
Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
If you dream of me like I dream of you
In a place that's warm and dark
In a place where I can feel the beating of your heart

But you know I could have guessed it: that Lord Voldemort, the darkness in your life, existed. I saw it in your eyes, your green eyes, which I had fallen for. This kind of sadness, this kind of helplessness, I know so well, but I denied it. Every time I had been with you, either studying or just for companionship, I suspected something so powerful was between us. I knew it was there, I suspected Voldemort was just around the corner, as our gaze met and our destiny had been set.

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
I've longed for you and I have desired
To see your face your smile
To be with you wherever you are

We were falling, and yet at the same time we were doomed. I didn't know I loved you then, nor did I know it when you kissed me, when you touched me, yet I knew it was special to my heart. You were the first who searched for my heart, who wanted to see behind the books. Truth be told, I didn't expect this from you. I never thought I could lose my heart to someone I knew just for four months, despite my uncertain feelings that there was something hidden, something in the darkness

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss

Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
I've longed for you and I have desired
To see your face, your smile
To be with you wherever you are

Lord Voldemort was how I chose to call it. Maybe just to make it more real to me, to make me more hopeful that one day you will defeat it, and I'll be waiting, I'll be there no matter what. Professor McGonagall told me I should write letters to you with encouragement, with a kind of hope for you that you will return to me one day. On that same day, in the evening, I was sitting at my desk, trying to find the words. How could I start a letter to you if I never had written to you? How to start a letter to someone you want to help so dearly to defeat the evilness of the Dark Lord, but knowing it's just, only just, your destiny all I could ever do was to promise you.

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
Please say you'll be waiting

So I made my promise to you and you made a promise in return without words. I wrote to you that I'm proud of your bravery, your truthfulness to face this fight, though you thought you couldn't face it, couldn't win against this fear, this feeling of loneliness. One moment you had been weak, nearly given up, but I hadn't given up on you. It had been the first time in years I prayed for anything, but here I was praying for you to be strong. We weren't able to speak to each other for weeks and I learned to listen to my heart, to know how you were, if you needed me and I knew you did.

Four weeks passed by like an eternity to me. I had been used to having you around every hour of the day, if not in the college, at least on the phone. But, four weeks of silence, of no words, was hard for both of us. Then you called me. Never in my life had I been that nervous, so surprised and happy all at once, just to know it's getting better. Through all these years, was this moment, my private ship of hope, our promise to one another.

Though I once thought Voldemort might be the reason to keep us apart, but in the end it made us realize what love is supposed to be. It made us love each other and hold each other, despite the darkness, despite your fight, we promised to wait and that we'll return to one another. Four years you're fighting, four years I have been here, and I'll wait an eternity because I know you'll find your way back to me.

Together again
It would feel so good to be
In your arms
Where all my journeys end
If you can make a promise If it's one that you can keep, I vow to come for you
If you wait for me and say you'll hold
A place for me in your heart.

Author-Note: This story is an AU fic, means though I'm referring to Lord Voldemort so is this not a person but an illness. Depression's are an illness which can be easily seen as a treat like Voldemort himself. Nothing can really cure it, nothing but just time. I know people who suffer under this illness don't need only fight against this darkness but against people, family, friends and lovers too who won't accept that this is a serious illness. That they aren't at fault.

A few things must be said about this fic which are that Harry tried at the beginning to kill himself but I didn't want to name it because I don't find that was the point of this fic. Uhm now this fic isn't all sprung from my mind rather from my memory's. This song just got everything what someone could ask in such a situation a promise can do so much more as a thousand words.

Dedicated to my heart and my soul