Unofficial Portkey Archive

Romeo and Juliet by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Romeo and Juliet

dumbles

Romeo and Juliet

I am not borrowing from Will Shakesphere here. My Romeo and Juliet isn't his- my Romeo and Juliet is a song fic based on the song 'Romeo and Juliet' by Dire Straits.

This is going to be a weird fic- plot bunnies attacked me and I had to write it. I've had the song on repeat for a week now, trying to write. But it's now done, so I hope you enjoy. It's slightly OC and just plain weird- don't ask why about things, because I have no idea lol. Just came to me.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A love struck Romeo sings the streets a serenade

Laying everybody low with a love song that he made

Finds a streetlight steps out of the shade

Says something like 'you and me babe how about it?'

I have gone 100% certifiably insane. I am standing here, cold and alone on a muggle street, Dudley's old guitar around my neck. I strum it once, the sound reverberating through the night.

This is mental. I'm insane…

I take a deep breath and begin to play- I don't think I sound too bad, considering I only started to play a week ago.

'Hermione,' I sing, cringing at the sound of my voice. I can't sing- this is mental. 'Oh, Hermione.'

I start to walk closer to the house, still strumming this guitar. I've lost my mind- what the hell am I doing here? Oh yeah, I know. I'm trying to win her back. By convincing her I'm a loony.

Nice one, Potter.

'Babe, c'mon, hows about it?'

Juliet says 'hey it's Romeo you nearly gave me a heart attack'

He's underneath the window she's singing 'hey la my boyfriend's back'

You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that

Anyway, what you gonna do about it?

Her window opens as I stand underneath it, strumming the guitar. She's shocked and stunned and looks incredibly shitted off.

'Hello, love,' I say, bowing slightly.

'Harry James Potter, what are you doing here?!' she hisses. 'My parents are asleep!'

'I had to come,' I say simply, lowering the guitar. 'I had to see you.'

Juliet, the dice were loaded from the start

And I bet and you exploded in my heart

And I forget- I forget the movie song

When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?

'Hermione- I had to come to tell you this.'

'Tell me what?'

'Tell you- tell you everything,' I said, sighing. 'You know something? Every time I think of you, I remember the way you entered my life, that first meeting on the train. And then when I saved you from the troll- you breezed into my world and you haven't breezed out.'

'Harry-'

'You used to sing a song to me, it was a song from a movie. I forget what the song is. But what I can't forget is how you walked away from me- and how I walked away from you. It was the timing, Hermione- we had horrid timing.'

Come up on different streets, they both were streets of shame

Both dirty, both mean, yes and the dream was just the same

And I dream your dream for you and now your dream is real

How can you look at me as I was just another one of your deals?

'We walked away from each other and ended up two completely different streets. I was ashamed of how I treated you, Hermione- I was trying to deny you a dream. I was trying to deny us both of a dream. But what we had was no dream- what we had was real.'

I pause and take a breath and look at her. She's trying not to look at me.

'Why can't you look at me?'

'I can't.'

'Why?'

'Because it meant nothing- it was a bet, Harry, that's all it was.'

Well you can fall for chains of silver, you can fall for chains of gold

You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold

You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin

Now you just say 'oh Romeo yeah you know I used to have a scene with him'

A bet- oh yes, I knew about that. That's why I walked away. That's why I've turned up at two am, singing a frigging serenade.

Why she made the bet with Malfoy I'll probably never know- I know he promised her everything she wanted.

But she promised me everything I wanted- she promised me herself. And now she's trying to ignore it, pretend it didn't happen.

It sickens me to the core, yet I can't walk away again. I have to make this right- this wasn't just a bet. Something happened between us to cause us to run away.

Juliet, when we made love you used to cry

You said 'I love you like the stars above I'll love you till I die'

There's a place for us- you know the movie song

When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?

'Just a bet? Just a bet?' I ask her. She keeps her head down. 'Do you remember that night, the night we made love? If it was just a bet, why did you cry?'

'I-'

'So you were lying every time you told me you loved me? You were lying every time you promised we would find our own place, like that song?'

'I-'

'Why did you agree with me, that it was just the wrong timing?'

'I-'

I can't do the talk like the talk on the TV

And I can't do a love song like the way it's meant to be

I can't do everything, but I'd do anything for you

Can't do anything except be in love with you

'Hermione,' I say, my voice getting tired. Talking at 2am doesn't agree with it- nor does singing. 'Hermione, I know I can't say the words like the way those actors do. I know, well, I know I can't sing. I know there is probably nothing I can do about this situation. Cause, well, to be damn honest, I've fallen in love with you and, well, I can't do anything about it, except stand here, underneath your bedroom window at 2am and pledge my love to you.'

And all I do is miss you and the way we used to be

All I do is keep the beat the bad company

All I do is kiss you through the bars of Orion

Julie I'd do the stars with you any time

'We were great for those months, Hermione. I miss that- I miss you. I miss our old friendship. Without you, all I do is hang around Loony Luna and her bizarre friends. I dream of you every night. Whenever I look at the stars, all I see is your face.'

I look up at her and she's looking at me. She's crying.

Juliet, when we made love you used to cry

You said 'I love you like the stars above I'll love you till I die'

There's a place for us- you know the movie song

When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?

'Harry,' she says softly, wiping her eyes. 'It was the bet that meant nothing.'

'But, you just said-'

'It came out wrong… the bet meant nothing. I called the bet off before it got to serious. The time you had me, you had me for real. I only walked away when I knew you knew about the bet- I knew you would think it was for real and I didn't want to hurt you. I was stupid to play you like that- so incredibly stupid.'

'But-'

'When I told you I loved you, there was no bet. That was me. And it's still me. And when I sang you that song, that was me. We just had, like you said, bad timing.'

I am speechless. When I figure my thoughts out, she is gone from the door.

I've blown it.

A love struck Romeo sings the streets a serenade

Laying everybody low with a love song that he made

Finds a convenient streetlight steps out of the shade

Says something like 'you and me babe how about it?'

I walk away, the tune from that old song coming in my head. I hum along, singing the words under my breath. I stop under the streetlight and look back at her house.

At least I can walk away saying I tried.

'Wait!' I hear from behind and I turn to see her running towards me. She throws her arms around my neck and kisses me like she had never kissed me before.

'My Romeo,' she says.

'You and me, babe- hows about it?'