Unofficial Portkey Archive

When Sparks Fly by DigitalFeonix
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

When Sparks Fly

DigitalFeonix

The common room had long been empty except for them, which had become so common, that it was unusual when they weren't the last ones to leave in the wee hours of the morning. She had once again fallen asleep in her favorite chair by the gentle fire with a tome so big, it hardly deserved to be called a book, in her lap. He looked up from his own thick volume to look at her sleep. He always thought she was the most beautiful when she slept, when the constant look of worry finally lifted from her face, not just masked behind her adorable smiles. He glanced at his watch and knew, they needed to get back to their own rooms to get what little sleep they could before breakfast.

He sighed as he put his book down, reluctant to wake her, but knew better than to let her sleep in that chair all night or he would incur her wrath the next day. He shuddered slightly at the thought of it. He leaned down and brushed her hair away from her face, rewarded as a small smile appeared on her lips. He got down on his knees and looked at her closed lids that he could see her eyes fluttering back and forth under, imagined that they were open and he was looking into those wonderfully cinnamon pools.

"You don't know how bad I want to taste those lovely lips of yours," he whispered under his breath, barely audible.

From behind her closed eyes, she wondered if she had heard right or was she still dreaming. She could feel her heart to start to beat faster. She felt his lips brush her forehead in a gentle kiss. He had done that many times before, but she felt much more significance in the simple act now.

"Wake up Hermione," Harry said tender yet forceful as he shook her shoulder.

She opened her eyes to find those emerald green eyes staring deep into hers. She caught a glimpse of something stirring in those eyes, only to promptly fade into the background.

"What time is it?" she asked.

"It's almost 3am..." His eyes went to the sliver of skin that appeared between the waist of her skirt and bottom of her shirt as she stretched her arms above her. His hidden desires surged to the surface. He longed to feel that skin under his hand, to kiss it, to nibble, to... He immediately pushed those desires back down.

She caught sight of desire briefly surface in his eyes again. She stood, placed her book on the table and starting walking towards the stairs.

"I guess we should go up to bed then?" she asked.

"Yeah, s'pose," he answered lowering his head, turning towards the boys dorm.

She threw caution and reason to the wind. She was tired of his denial and oblivious nature. She ran to him and twirled him around. Before he could object, before she could chicken out, she pulled his head down to hers and planted the kiss she had always wanted to on his lips.

He closed his eyes and felt every single brick of the wall he had built around his desire for her obliterated into smithereens. The little hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. He felt his entire body, and especially his skin, powerfully tingle as he deepened the kiss. She didn't deny his tongue's request for entrance to her mouth. This was what she had wanted, hoped, and dreamed of. Her body grew warm. She could feel herself flowing into him. Every unspoken thought was put into the electric connection between them.

They were both unaware of the crackling in the air around them as electricity sparked between their two bodies, surrounding them in an intense blue light. They didn't exist outside of each other while the lighting storm swirled about them. After a few minutes the intensity of their kiss and the electricity faded.

They broke apart and stared into each other's eyes. They didn't need to speak, everything had been said, every question answered in that kiss. He finally broke the silence when he simply said, "Goodnight 'Mione. I love you."

"I love you too Harry."

They smiled at each other and turned their own way. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep for she had truly just awoken that night, and she knew that he felt the same way. She would always know what he was thinking from now on, without even looking into his eyes. With her heart filled with elation, she glided up the stair and out of sight.

Dumbledore quietly moved from his frequent hiding spot, to the center of the Gryffindor common room where the two had stood. He bent over and ran his fingers along the floor. He was staring intently at two sets of footprints, facing each other, silhouetted against the surrounding scorched carpeting.

"THE POWER THAT WILL BANISH THE DARK... WILL EMERGE IN A BRILLIANT LIGHT... WHEN THE TWO GREATEST OF THEIR GENERATION... MERGE THEIR SOULS AND POWER WITH A FIRST KISS..." the old wizard whispered.

I guess that makes three for Trelawney, he thought with a chuckle.