Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reminiscing by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reminiscing

Hermiones Twin

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the plotline. Everything else belongs to J.K. Rowling. Don't sue me.

Author's Note: I decided to step away from my novel for a moment and write this little plot bunny that was gnawing at my leg. Yes, gnawing. Quite painful, I assure you. Anyway, this fic goes out to Kalie and Nitya because they're awesome and they helped cheer me up when I was feeling low. You two have no idea how important you are to me. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little venture outside of my usual novel writing.

Reminiscing

It was a fine summer day. The weather was surprising for late July. It was warm with a slight breeze flowing through the trees, gently kissing my face. The sun was shining brightly as laughter rose up from the edge of the pond where three children - my grandchildren - were playing.

Suddenly, a tray of lemonade was set on a table beside me. "Thirsty Dad?" asked my daughter, a beautiful girl with bushy black hair and sparkling emerald eyes.

My Anastasia.

I smiled. "Actually, Ana, I am. Thank you."

She smiled and kissed the top of my head. "You're welcome, Dad. Happy birthday. I can't believe you're sixty."

"You'll be there one day too," I said, grinning.

"In another twenty-five years," she said.

"Right. What's your Mum doing?" I asked.

"Cooking. We got a message from Uncle Ron stating that he and Aunt Luna will be here in about a half-hour," Anastasia told me.

"Ah, okay."

"I'm going to go help Mum. You make sure those kids don't get into any trouble, okay?"

"They're perfectly safe," I said.

She smiled and walked away, back into the house.

Part of me found it hard to believe that I was sixty-years-old. At age fifteen, when I lost Sirius, I wouldn't have expected myself to live that long. In fact, at fifteen I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it to eighteen.

My life has changed so much since Sirius died and I heard that prophecy in Dumbledore's office. The summer after Sirius's death I had been severely depressed and had thought several times about taking my own life. But then a beacon of hope shined on my life when I got a phone call of all things from Hermione, my best friend. She had invited me to stay for the summer and travel to France with her and her family. How she ever got her parents to consent to this, I don't know, but I'm grateful.

Something happened that summer, something that changed my life. I don't know if it was just the magic of Paris, France, but I suddenly found myself falling in love with my best friend. I kissed her on top of the Eiffel Tower while her parents were at a bakery buying croissants. For some odd reason, she kissed me back. It must have been France.

By the time we went back to Hogwarts, we found ourselves dating. I was cautious about letting anyone know, because I feared for Hermione's safety. Naturally we told Ron because Ron was our best friend. Ron was like a brother to me. He hugged us both and said he couldn't be happier. Then we learned about his affection for one Luna Lovegood. They would start dating by the time Christmas rolled around.

The war with Voldemort raged on. Aurors, Order members, and Death Eaters alike lost their lives in guerrilla attacks. One death in particular that affected me was the death of Tonks. Another death that hit me hard was when Remus Lupin died early on in my seventh year.

Eventually, Voldemort and I met again, but I was a lot stronger than the last time we had met in my fifth year. I knew what the power was that was inside me. I knew how to defeat Voldemort. My triumph over him has become legendary, although it does not cover many of its gruesome facts. It was not told that I had to force Voldemort to possess me and then trap him inside of me while I thought of Hermione, Ron, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, Dumbledore…all those that I cared deeply for. My love for them caused Voldemort to become weak and when I released him, I finished him off the old fashioned Muggle way with Godric Gryffindor's sword in my hand. I spilt his blood. I murdered him.

And for that they called me a hero.

Not long after I left Hogwarts and got my own place. Hermione moved in with me not long after. I can vividly remember the night we christened the bed. About a month later, I found myself in Auror training while she tried to raise house-elf awareness in the Ministry. As the girlfriend of the Man-Who-Triumphed, many listened.

Ron got himself a job in his brother's joke shop before hearing that the owner of Quality Quidditch Supplies was selling his store. Ron, with a little help from myself, Fred, and George, bought the shop and eventually made himself quite a bit of gold.

Three years later, I finished Auror training and went to work cleaning up the remnants of the Death Eaters. I got a huge shock the day Draco Malfoy, who had been secretly dating Ginny, told us the location of his father. He got a medal for helping us capture one of the most deadly Death Eaters.

On Valentine's Day of that year, I took Hermione out for dinner. For a gift, I gave her a small velvet box. When she opened it, I remember the stunned look on her face as she pulled the diamond ring out of the box. I asked her to marry me then. She agreed, much to my delight. We were married in a beautiful ceremony a year and a half later. She looked so beautiful.

Ron eventually got married to Luna and Ginny married Draco Malfoy. I stayed in touch with Neville Longbottom and had a good laugh when I heard he had married Susan Bones, a girl he had started to fancy at the end of our seventh year.

When I was twenty-five, Hermione gave me some important news one day over breakfast. She was pregnant. I clearly remember spitting out my orange juice, yelling like a mad fool, and hugging her so tightly that I'm sure she couldn't breathe. Nine months later, Anastasia was born, but not without strife. There were complications during the labor and for a moment we almost lost her. I'm glad we didn't. She's the best thing I've ever done in my life.

I watched her grow with such pride in my eyes. Hermione and I tried to give her a brother or a sister, but sadly, it didn't seem that it was to be. But Ron and Luna had twins, so Ana was able to play with them often, as Ron and Luna moved in right down the block after Hermione and I bought a house outside of London.

I remember the first time Ana was to ride the train to Hogwarts. I don't know who was more nervous, Hermione or myself. Ana was completely fine though. Not a worry in the world. My brave girl. She wrote us letters every two weeks. I was thrilled when I hear she had been sorted into Gryffindor. She told us about all of her classes and the friends she was making. She told us about how Quidditch team already wanted her to join, but Professor McGonagall, the new headmistress after Dumbledore retired, refused because of the First Year rule. I remember when she finally did make the team during her second year. A Seeker, just like me. My heart swelled with pride whenever I read her letters when she told us about a victory over one of the other three houses.

Eventually, Ana left Hogwarts and went to work for St. Mungo's. Three years later, her boyfriend, who was also the son of Oliver Wood, knocked on my door. He asked to speak to Hermione and me and when he did, he asked for Ana's hand in marriage. How could we refuse?

So, about a year later, I walked my daughter - my only daughter - down the aisle. She was beautiful, just like her mother had been at our wedding. It took everything in me not to cry. I was letting her go.

Within time, Hermione and I became grandparents to a healthy baby boy - James. I had to laugh the moment I saw him. Black hair and green eyes. Hermione and I were blessed two more times with grandchildren, the first being another boy (Sirius) and the youngest being our granddaughter (Lily). Ana wanted to honor her grandparents and my godfather by naming her children after them. I was deeply touched.

The years have passed and now here I am, sixty-years-old. A rather quiet life, but after defeating Voldemort, I wouldn't have it any other way.

My beautiful wife stepped outside and walked over to me. With a smile, she kissed me and asked, "What are you doing out here, staring off into space? Ron's here."

"Is he?" I asked. "Sorry - I was just looking back on the good life that I've had," I said and kissed her. "Come on, let's go in."

-->