Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Not So Ordinary Day by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Not So Ordinary Day

Hermiones Twin

Disclaimer: In no way, shape, or form do I own the characters of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. They belong to each other and to, of course, their creator, J.K. Rowling.

Author's Note: This is a special birthday present for one of my best online friends, Nitya. Happy birthday Nitya and I hope you enjoy your present!

A Not So Ordinary Day

It started out as an ordinary day. Hermione woke up to the sun shining weakly through the curtains that draped her bedroom window. She tossed back the covers and got up before walking to the window and opening her curtains, letting the weak light in and staring up at the pale blue sky. It was an ordinary day.

She padded across the carpet, out of the door and across the hall to the bathroom, where she showered, brushed her teeth, flossed, and ran a hand though her soggy hair. She never cared much about doing anything with it. It was too bushy to tame, so why bother? Either put it up in a thick pony tail or let it hang loose - that was her style. She needed nothing else.

Crossing back to her room, she rifled through her drawers and closet, looking for clothes to wear for the day. By the looks of the slight breeze outside, she figured it would be slightly colder than usual and opted for a sweater rather than a long-sleeved shirt. She grabbed a rather comfortable pair of pants and an equally comfortable pair of shoes before dressing herself.

She was busy buttering her English muffin when her phone rang. She kept a phone for practical reasons, so that her parents could call her whenever they needed to and so, if she desired to, she could live as Muggle as possible. She even owned a television.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Hermione," came the voice of the man who made her heart soar.

"Good morning, Harry," she replied, a smile on her face.

"What are you doing this evening?" he asked her in a would-be casual voice.

She thought for a moment. "Nothing. Just reading some boring Ministry reports," she told him and glanced at the offending reports sitting on her coffee table. "Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if I could come over tonight?" he said, a hopeful sound in his voice which made her smile again.

"Absolutely. I would love the company."

"Excellent. I'll see you around six o'clock then, okay?"

"Okay. I'll see you then, Harry."

"Hey Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

She grinned. "I love you too, Harry."

* * *

At 6:00, there was a knock on the door as Hermione was stirring her homemade spaghetti sauce. "It's open!" she called and she heard the door open and then close.

"Hey," Harry greeted, smiling.

"Hi. I'm making spaghetti. Hope you don't mind," she said.

He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist before kissing her on the cheek. "It smells good, so I don't mind at all."

She laughed. "You and Ron will eat anything that smells good."

"That's not true. Ron will eat anything period, no matter what it smells like," he said, causing her to laugh again. "Anyway, I brought a movie."

"Which one?"

"The Secret Garden. Ever seen it?" he asked.

"Every time I go to the movies it's with you, silly, so no, I haven't. But the book was excellent. I loved it as a child," she told him.

"Great! We can watch it after dinner," he said with a smile.

"Can you set the table?" Hermione asked him as he stepped away from her. "The spaghetti's almost done."

"Sure," he replied and rooted through the cupboards, producing plates and glasses before opening one of the drawers and grabbing silverware.

Within five minutes they were sitting at her kitchen table, enjoying the spaghetti and each other's company. Harry told her all about his day at the Ministry and about the former Death Eater his fellow Aurors had captured that day.

"He only put up a minimum of fuss, which surprised us all greatly," he said as he twirled his fork around in his spaghetti.

"I suppose that's a good thing. So when will I get the paperwork for his trial?" she asked. She processed much of the paperwork for all criminal trials held by the Ministry. She glanced over at the pile of paperwork sitting on her coffee table, feeling slightly guilty.

"Not until next week," he replied. "We wouldn't want to burden you too much," he added with a wink.

She laughed. "Oh, Harry, you're incorrigible!"

He grinned. "And you love me anyway."

She sighed and they continued bantering as they ate until finally the plates were empty, which they washed and dried together, Harry constantly trying to kiss Hermione whenever putting either a plate or a piece of silverware back.

Eventually, they settled on the couch, but as Harry made to turn the movie on, he stopped and turned instead to Hermione.

"Something wrong?" she asked.

He shook his head and walked forward until he was right in front of her before kneeling. "Hermione, I love you so much."

"I love you too, Harry," she replied, wondering about his odd behavior.

"Did your mum and dad tell you I visited them a few days ago?" he asked her as he took her hand in his.

"Er - no. You did?" He nodded. "Why?"

"I had a question to ask them. I now have a question to ask you." He slipped his free hand inside his pocket and produced a small black velvet box.

"Harry," she breathed as he held out the box for her to take. She picked it up gently and opened it to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

"Hermione, will you marry me?"

Her eyes filled with tears. Since the moment she and Harry had admitted their feelings for each other their seventh year she had dreamed of this moment. She had been waiting seven years for it. "Oh, Harry, yes!"

His smile was the brightest she had ever seen it as he leaned forward and captured her lips with his. Then, with a shaky laugh, he took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto her ring finger on her left hand before pulling her close and hugging her fiercely.

Hermione would remember that day forever. November 12, 2004, a not so ordinary day.

-->