Unofficial Portkey Archive

Portraits by sarahmay
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Portraits

sarahmay

Disclaimer: Don't own it…

Special thanks to Jenna Kathleen…haha…saved my life…im not going retarded thank god!

Summary: Every picture and painting in the wizarding world moves…but who is the woman in the only one that doesn't? Could she change everything a world believes?

3001

"Adam, stop," Jennifer McDermott giggled as she tugged on her boyfriend's hand.

"If I have too," Adam smiled, pressing his lips against hers.

"Wait a minute," Jennifer moved away from him as he started to trail kisses down her throat.

"What? A minute ago you couldn't wait one more second," Adam smiled, but Jennifer was staring at the wall behind him.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Jen, it's a painting…how long were you in the library?" Adam asked, putting a hand to her forehead.

"It's not moving," Jennifer replied, stopping a few feet from a portrait of a woman sitting in a long maroon dress, her curly hair reaching her bosom.

"She's probably sleeping," Adam replied. "Let's go."

"Well, okay," Jen agreed reluctantly and followed her boyfriend down the corridor…

******

"Professor Weasley, may I ask you a question?" Jennifer asked her transfiguration professor the next day.

"Of course," Matthew Weasley replied, perching himself on the corner of his desk.

"Well, are there any portraits in the wizarding world that don't move?"

"Not that I know of. Why do you ask?" He responded.

"I found a portrait last night. Of a woman, but she wasn't moving," Jennifer replied, shaking her head slightly.

"Really? Where was it at?" Matthew asked.

"On the ninth floor. The woman, she had on a long maroon dress, and she had curly long hair. I didn't get a chance to look at it very long, but she had almost a haunted look in her eyes," Jennifer replied in thought.

"I tell you what. If you can give me her name, I'll give you 75 points," Matthew told her, figuring if there weren't supposed to be any immobile portraits in their world, she most likely wouldn't find a name.

"Okay, well, I need to go to the library," Jennifer sighed, before disappearing out the door.

******

Instead of going to the library, she made her way to the ninth floor where, surprisingly fast, she found the portrait.

"Who are you?" She wondered aloud, as she stood before the painting.

Jennifer carefully examined the painting, and just as she was about to give up, she saw something barely legible in the bottom right corner.

JE `98

"What in the hell is that supposed to mean?" Jennifer asked herself as she stepped back from the painting to look at it again. Around the woman's neck was a fine chain with an emblem pendant hanging from it.

She quickly drew a rough copy of the pendant and dashed off to the library.

"Madam Jameson, do you have any books with family crests?" She asked the librarian 5 minutes later.

"Just a few, they're in the back over there," the older woman replied, pointing towards the back of the library.

"Thanks!" Jennifer smiled, and walked briskly to the back of the library. She quickly found the 3 books of family crests and set to work.

She checked every year ending in 98, but found nothing, so then she began the grueling task of flipping through every page and comparing crests. Luckily, she found a match within the first fifteen minutes and smiled triumphantly. Godric Gryffindor.

But which Gryffindor had worn the piece of jewelry? There was picture after picture of woman with pendants, but not one looked anything like the woman in the painting. They all had black hair and fair skin, while the woman in the painting had chestnut locks and had a tanned look. Suddenly a name popped out at her. Potter.

It wasn't the woman from the painting, but this time there was a short biography in the margin.

When Audrey Gryffindor, the only child of John and Beth Gryffindor, married James Potter in the mid to late 1800's, the Gryffindor name ended. The Potter line was born and although they did not carry the Gryffindor name, they produced one of the most powerful wizards in history. Harry Potter.

"Harry Potter," Jennifer thought aloud, "his father was James. JE! James Potter. Damn, who could JE be? His mother was Lily Potter. Wait a second!" She ran from the library despite the cries of the librarian that it was, in fact, a library. By the time she made it to Professor Weasley's room, she was completely out of breath.

"Professor - I need to ask - you - a question," Jennifer said, as she tried to regain her composure.

"Yes?"

"What was Lily Potter's maiden name?" Jennifer asked, anticipation taking over her.

"Evans, why? Have you figured out the painting yet?" He asked.

"Harry Potter painted whoever was in the painting. He had to of. The painter signed it `JE' and the woman in wearing the Gryffindor crest. He combined his parent's names - James Evans - and he was the last remaining heir to the Gryffindor bloodline!" Jennifer exclaimed.

"I would swear it sounds like it could be Hermione Granger Weasley, but you can only give a family crest to your wife or husband - it's impossible to do otherwise," Matthew told her, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"I think I have an idea on how to find out who it is," Jennifer told him. "I'll tell you if I'm right in class tomorrow," she added before heading back to the library.

The first thing she did was get the compilation yearbook since 1996. It took several trips to bring them all over, but it was a span of nearly 1100 years.

After checking the class of 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999, and finding no other girl besides Hermione Granger that could possibly be the woman in the painting, she looked up the class of 2016. Jacob Weasley was the only familiar face in the class…but surprisingly he didn't have the Weasley red hair trademark. It was more of an auburn color, so Hermione's hair color must have toned it down. She checked each year for the next 500 years of the Weasley family. Not one Weasley had red hair. Every single one but Jacob had either black or dark brown hair and for the most part, startling green eyes.

"Oh my god," Jennifer whispered, as everything finally clicked into place.

******

"Professor Weasley, are you up?" Jennifer banged on the door.

"Jennifer? What are you doing? It's almost midnight," Matthew replied, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Ron Weasley never had any children," Jennifer stated.

"Come again?"

"You're not a Weasley," Jennifer repeated.

"Jennifer, you're delirious," Matthew replied, and almost had the door shut when he heard her whisper something.

"You're a Potter."

"What?"

"Jacob Weasley was never really a blood Weasley. Hermione's the only one that the woman in the painting can be, and you said yourself that it could only be possible if she was his wife."

"I can't believe you, Jennifer. Do you know how ludicrous that is to even suggest?"

"Follow me, I'll prove it to you."

They ran back to where Jennifer left all her books and picked them up and preceded to the ninth floor right to where the painting hung on the wall. Jennifer showed each and every piece of evidence to Professor Weasley and when she got to the last bit of evidence that none of the remaining Weasleys had the trademark hair, did he finally realize what had happened. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were lovers and his whole family had been a lie.

"So they cheated behind Ron's back?" Matthew asked, as he stared at the portrait.

"They were married, and I think that Harry knew she was pregnant. And then when he gave his life to defeat Voldemort, he had made sure that someone would be there to take his place, and he wanted Ron. There was only one child in that family. I think Hermione wanted to honor Harry's memory because I don't think she could ever love anyone but him. I think they got married because it would make life easier. It was like a way for both of them to honor Harry and his son. I don't know. And as far as records show, you're the last of the descendents of Gryffindor."

"July 9, 1998?" Matthew said suddenly, wiping his hand across the date the painting was painted.

"What?"

"July 9, 1998. The date."

"Four days before he died," Jennifer breathed, her voice quivering. "She knew. They both knew."

Author's Note: I know this is weird…but that's okay…so please review and tell me what you think!!! Love ya all!!! - Sarah

-->