Unofficial Portkey Archive

That Was Then by Hermione Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

That Was Then

Hermione Potter

Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN HP!!!! Oh and the song, That Was Then is by Jesse McCartney.

A/N: Sowee if this story sucks. I just need to get my creative juices flowing again!

That Was Then

By Hermione Potter

"Bloody hell Harry. What did you do? It must have been really terrible if she's that steamed," Ron exclaimed as he watched Hermione walk up to her room, upset.

"How should I know? It's not like she tells me anything anymore," Harry sighed, collapsing in an armchair. His best friend looked at him, obviously confused.

"But you two know everything about each other. You're inseparable," he replied.

"Yeah, well since that fight the other day, we haven't. So that's it. It's not my fault that she doesn't understand anything about me," Harry said, his face turned toward the dancing flames of the fire. Ron shrugged before heading upstairs to sleep.

"I don't know I've been friends with you so bloody long. All you do is patronize me about my school work! I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of my business Hermione!"

His words came bak to haunt him. He laid back against the armchair and sighed. She had been so close to him that night. So close that he could smell the jasmine scent in her hair.

"Harry? Is that you?" a familiar voice came into the Common Room. Harry turned around to see Ginny.

"Hey, Gin Gin," he greeted with his nick name for her. From the corner of his eye, he saw her sit down on the couch.

"Galleon for your thoughts?" she asked softly. He smiled slightly.

"I didn't think my thoughts were worth so much," he chuckled as she laughed.

"Nothing really Gin. Just in a bit of a squabble with Hermione," he confessed. She turned her eyes to him.

"About what?" Ginny asked.

"She got upset at me and I don't know why. Then I got upset at her and then told her I didn't know why I had been friends with her for so long," Harry answered guiltily.

"Harry! How could you?! That's the coldest thing I've ever heard. You two are the closest people I've ever known. Why would you tell her something that cruel?" she exclaimed.

"I was angry. I had been so busy lately with classes and training with Professor Dumbledore. I guess I was just over doing it," Harry shrugged.

"Have you noticed anything that Hermione has been trying to hint about for a few months?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" he asked back.

"Harry, I really hate to do this when Hermione told me not to, but this is drastic. Have you ever realized if Hermione had ever liked you?" she hinted.

"Of course she likes me. We're best friends," he said.

"No! I mean more than friends?"

"What? No way. Hermione would never like me like that," he pushed that thought away.

"Then why did she tell Ron and I about what she felt about you 5 months ago? Why did you keep dropping hints in front of you? Did you ever notice that she blushed when you smile at her or say something nice to her? Have you? Have you noticed most of the school knows?" so many questions swam from her mouth into his mind.

Thinking back, she did blush when he smiled at her. Everyone grinned when the two were together. And...Hermione never really had a real smile on her face...he was the one that wiped it off her angelic face.

"Ginny...how...I can't believe it..." Harry murmured, shocked.

"It took someone to tell you to make you realize it. Boys are the densest people I shall ever know. Night Harry. Hope you do something about this before something happens that you'll regret," Ginny bid and disappeared up the stairs.

Harry sat for a while, thinking of everything he just learned. She fancied him...she wanted to be more than friends...and he had told her that he didn't know why they had been friends for so long. He felt terrible.

He sighed sadly and walked to the Head Boy and Head Girl dorms and stared at Hermione's door.

Harry walked over and raised his hand to knock on the door, but soon dropped it, thinking she was asleep.

'I'll have to talk to her tomorrow. That is if she doesn't hate me first." he thought and entered his own room before falling back on his bed and falling asleep with his robes on, his dreams filled with a certain brown-eyed, bushy-haired Gryffindor that slept in the room next to his.

The next day in Transfiguration, Hermione didn't show up. Harry had begun to worry because she hadn't been in any of their morning classes. And he had not seen her in breakfast.

"Ron, where is Hermione?" he whispered next to him.

"I have no clue. I didn't see her at all today. Maybe you should go check on her during lunch," he whispered back.

"Mr. Potter. Mr. Weasley. Do you two have something you would like to share with the class?" Professor McGonagall asked sternly, her beady eyes staring at them intently.

"No ma'am," they said in unison. She nodded before going back to teaching the class.

'She's probably still upset. I was really cold to her after all...," Harry thought quietly.

At lunch, Harry quickly ran to the Common Room and muttered the password to the Heads Common Room before walking in. He threw his things on the table and walked to Hermione's door. He took a breath before knocking on the door.

No response.

He knocked again.

Nothing.

"Hermione?" he called softly, opening the door.

The room was quite bright, sunlight shining through the window. Harry saw Hermione laying in bed, her back turned to him.

He kneeled next to her and turned her over.

"Hermione, wake up. It's me Harry," he said softly.

She didn't move.

"Hermione? Hermione! Wake up. It's 1 in the afternoon!" he exclaimed quite loudly, thinking it would wake her.

"What's wrong with you?" he said, shaking her shoulders. Then her wand dropped from her hand and onto the floor. His eyes widened, and pulled the blanket off. He saw a spell book on her bed and looked at it.

Momenta Laria

This spell should be cautiously used. It is used to hex someone into a dream-like state and to never wake up again. People have used this spell to get out of the misery of their own lives, seeking comfort in dreams of their own. They are the only ones who decide if they shell wake up or not. In he past, no one has chosen to wake up, not even when their own dreams are reality. They become so relaxed into their dream-like state, that they start to believe it is reality. There is no reverse spell. It is up t the will of the person.

"Hermione?! What did you do?" He dropped the book and shook her hard.

"Why did you do this Hermione? This is my fault! How could I be so cold toward you last night? If only I had noticed you sooner," he whispered tearfully before his eyes began to get teary.

"I have tot take you to Madame Pomfrey," Harry said, carrying her quickly to the Hospital Wing.

"MADAME POMFREY! Madame Pomfrey! Help!"Harry burst inside, shouting to the top of his lungs.

"Quiet child. We have patients in here who need their rest,"Madame Pomfrey hushed walking into the room.

"Madame Pomfrey. Please help her. I can't wake her up," he begged.

"Bring her here," she told as he laid her down on a bed.

"Do you know what's wrong with her?" Madame Pomfrey asked.

"She used a spell called Momenta Laria," Harry answered quietly.

"Oh dear child! Go get Professor Dumbledore! Quickly now! No time should be wasted!" she commanded.

Harry ran as fast as he could to his office.

"Professor Dumbledore. Madame Pomfrey needs you in the Hospital Wing. There's something wrong with Hermione," he breathed.

"Of course Harry. Do you know what happened?" Albus asked as he followed Harry into the wing.

"Albus! She's used the Dream Spell. Momenta Laria," Madame Pomfrey tended to Hermione, letting her gulp down healing potions.

"Calm down Poppy. I shall contact the Ministry as soon as I can. For now, we can only watch and wait," Albus replied calmly.

"All right. Mr. Potter, you must leave," she said to him.

"No! I won't leave her until she wakes up!" Harry yelled.

"Poppy, let him stay. He can stay as long as he wants. Now is the best of times I think that she needs a friend," Albus patted Harry's shoulder, before leaving the room.

"Fine. Just don't make any noises," she huffed, walking out.

Harry slowly pulled up a chair and watched her face, showing no emotion.

"I did this to you. It's my fault. I always hurt everyone I love. And I shouldn't have told you those things in the Common Room last night. I was angry. And I've been selfish," he whispered softly, moving a strand of hair that had laid across her face.

Guess you never really know
Just what you've got
Until you finally realize
She could be gone
And know that I've been taking you for granted
For the longest time
All you want
Is someone who really cares
And I didn't even
Notice you were there
I promise I'll never ever
Make that same mistake not twice

"Hermione, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I didn't notice you sooner. Just please, don't leave me," he whimpered tearfully, gripping her hand tightly in his.

"If you wake up, I promise I won't make the same mistake twice. I won't lose you again! I won't bloody lose you again like I almost did in 5th year," Harry kissed her hand softly and watched her in her peaceful state.

That was then
This is now
Take some time to come around
All I wanna do
Is try again
Show you how
I know that it's all about
Givin' attention to you
I was a fool for way too long
What you wanted, could not see
That was then
This is now
Took some time to figure out
Love is all you need

"Why did you do it, Hermione? I'm not worth doing this to yourself. I know I can never make these past few months up to you. But I will try my hardest to. I haven't been thinking about much but myself. I was so hard into concentrating on my training, I didn't spend my time with you. To be honest, I wanted some time alone with you," Harry blushed at the thought.

Guess I never thought about it before
I was thinkin' of myself
And nothing more
Didn't even wanna try to find out
How you really feel (how you really feel)
Now I see
That I'm the lucky one
It's true
What we got
You know I never want to lose
I was trippin' in a fantasy
And missing what was real

"You liked me. Maybe even loved me. But I was so blind not to notice. I'm going to prove to you that you are the most important person in my life and always will be. I want to always protect you, Mione. I want to be with you now. I'm sorry I never notice that before.

That was then
This is now
Take some time to come around
All I wanna do
Is try again
Show you how
I know that it's all about
Givin' attention to you
I was a fool for way too long
What you wanted, could not see
That was then
This is now
Took some time to figure out
Love is all you need

Weeks passed and no change had come to Hermione. Professor Dumbledore said that if she didn't wake up in a few days, she would be stuck, eternally. Harry could not let that happen.

"You're so beautiful Hermione. I don't understand why you think you weren't. You're attractive. I'm sorry I never told you that. You've always told me to speak my mind. But maybe absent-minded, I didn't know. You're really pretty. I just...well I don't know...I hope you can forgive me," he smiled, climbing into her bed and rocking her in his arms.

"Merlin, you fit perfectly in my arms. I never noticed that before. What a bugger I am. I wish you told me how you felt about me. But now, I realize something. You mean so much to me. And I need to tell you this, Hermione. I love you," he admitted softly into her ear. Then he lowered his lips to hers and gave her lingering chaste kiss.

A few moments later, a moan came from her lips, and he pulled away. "Mione?"

"Harry?" her voice dry as she opened her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Hermione! Please forgive me!" he pleaded, burying his face in her neck, breathing softly.

"Harry...what? Where am I?" she asked.

"We're in the Hospital Wing. I brought you here when I found you and that book," he replied, kissing her forehead.

"Oh," she said.

"I can't believe I almost lost you. Hermione...Why did you do that? You might not have woken up," he whispered, softly, hugging her to him.

"I really didn't have much of a choice did I?" Hermione asked him quietly, knowing what he was already going to say.

"Hermione, you know that's not true. You have so many people who love you, why do you want to throw that away?" he replied.

"Why do you?" she retorted. Harry was taken back.

"Harry, it's been ages since you came with Ron and me to Hogsmeade. You've become more like me which I really appreciate considering our N.E.W.T.S. But you once taught me about having some fun once in a while," Hermione explained, leaning her forehead against his.

"I'm sorry. I just needed time to myself. I realize now I need to solace. Do you think you can help me there?" Harry grinned.

"Of course," she laughed.

"Promise me, you won't ever do something like this again," Harry said seriously.

"I promise Harry. As long as you promise to have fun," Hermione replied.

Harry took a deep breath before continuing. "Mione. I need to tell you something."

"Is something wrong?"

"No! Not at all. I just want to tell you something. Something I should have realized a long time ago. When I saw how beautiful you were in those periwinkle dress robes in fourth year. How you always stood by me and helped me through everything. I appreciate everything. And I never had the chance to say thank you. Thank you for everything that you've done to help me. And I need to tell you that I love you Hermione and I should have realized it sooner," Harry said this all very quickly, his cheeks tinting.

Hermione's eyes were widened and her mouth was agape.

"Do you mean all that?" she whispered.

"Of course. If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of embarrassing myself," Harry breathed.

Hermione smiled brightly and hugged him tightly. "You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to say those words to me," Hermione whispered into his ear, her breath tinkling him. Harry had an intake of breath.

"Does that mean...you...that...you.." he stuttered.

"That I love you too, you silly git!" Hermione laughed. Harry took that in and soon a grin appeared on his face.

"Well, Miss Granger. I think I owe you a kiss then?"

A/N: This is the edited version my one shot fic that had a really crappy ending. Hopefully this one is better....Please be nice.