Unofficial Portkey Archive

Peppermint Christmas by Hermione Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Peppermint Christmas

Hermione Potter

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. JKR does. So don't sue.

A/N: A Christmas fic for your enjoyment. Well enjoy.

Peppermint Christmas

By Hermione Potter

"Hermione! Wake up!" Harry smiled, jumping on her bed excitedly. He heard a groan come from under her pillow.

"Harry, it's too early. Come and wake me up in an hour," Hermione moaned softly, her eyes still closed.

"But Hermy, it's Christmas morning. You usually wake me up. You should be woken up once in a while," he whined.

"Honestly Harry, Sometimes I don't understand you at all," she sighed getting up from under her covers, her hair unruly. Harry looked down her body and saw she was wearing red pajamas with animated Christmas trees all over lighting up.

"Cute pjs, Mione," he grinned. She looked down and blushed embarrassed.

"Yeah, wanna borrow them?" Hermione grinned back.

"No, I won't fit them. Come on and get dressed. We'll go to breakfast and then come back to the Common Room to open our presents," Harry suggested.

"All right. I'll meet you in the Common Room," Hermione replied, watching him walk out of her room and quietly shut the door behind him. "Sometimes, I don't understand him at all," she laughed before going into the bathroom to take a shower.

Harry waited patiently in the Common Room, glancing at the girl dormitories staircase, wondering how long it would take her to get ready. He turned his eyes to the Christmas tree and watched the little fairies that were sprinkling snow around it.

His mind trailed back to a few minutes ago when he saw her. She looked pretty, even when she woke up with messy hair. 'What are you saying?! This is your best friend!' he thought frantically.

'Oh, admit it. You love her.' Another voice countered.

'She's my best friend for Merlin's sake!'

'They always said, best friends make the best lovers.'

Harry's eyes widened as these two voice fought inside his mind as he wondered if he was schizophrenic.

"Harry? Are you down here?" Hermione's voice rang as Harry heard footsteps running down the stairs.

"Yes Hermione. I'm here," he called back, turning around and looking at her. His eyes widened.

"He-Hermione? Where did you get that dress?" he stuttered looking at her in awe.

"My mother sent it to me a few days ago. Do I look all right?" she asked nervously.

All right would be an understatement. She dress was a bit fancy, but it really did make her look beautiful. The dress was made of pure white velvet. The collar, belt, and elbow sleeve was in laced with golden designs. The sleeves extended beyond the wrists down to the ground.

"Hermione, you look incredible,"he commented without thinking and then blushed madly.

"Thank you, Harry. I just wanted to see how I would like. I'll go change into some casual clothes now. I'll be right back," she smiled, running back upstairs to change.

Harry collapsed against the couch, his mouth agape. Hermione looked amazing to him. His mind then drifted back to fourth year when he saw her in her peri-winkle dress robes. Dancing with Viktor Krum. Then a growl from his stomach broke him from his thoughts.

"I think we should get to breakfast before you die of hunger," Hermione's voice giggled from behind him. Harry turned and saw Hermione dressed in a red sweater and some jeans.

"I think we should," Harry grinned as they both walked through the portrait hole and down the Great Hall through the grand moving staircase.

As they both entered the hall, the soft melody of Jingle Bells could be heard from the background and decorated Christmas trees were about the hall, presents underneath. There weren't many students there. Just a few first years.

"Happy Christmas you too!" Nearly Headless Nick wished, floating above them.

"Happy Christmas Sir Nicholas," Harry and Hermione replied in unison as he continued on. The two Gryffindors shrugged and went to sit down at their table and enjoy their breakfast.

"I hope Ron and Ginny are having a good time at home," Hermione said, pouring herself some pumpkin juice.

"They're with their family, why wouldn't they?" Harry asked back, more quietly. Hermione looked up at him, his eyes darkened.

"Harry...You have family too. Even if some of your family isn't with you, they're still with you in spirit. I'm here for you and I won't let you have a Christmas alone," Hermione explained softly, watching him eat his sausage. Harry looked up at this and suddenly smiled at her.

"Thank you Hermione. Thank you for cheering me up. After...breakfast...do you want to go for a walk outside? And then we'll open our presents?" Harry asked softly. She smiled and nodded in agreement. "I'd love to."

He grinned brightly before letting himself dig into his breakfast eagerly.

In the middle of their breakfast, Professor Dumbledore stepped down from the Professor's table and walked down to theirs.

"Happy Christmas Mr. Potter. Miss Granger," he smiled at them.

"Happy Christmas Professor," they said back.

"And how has your Christmas been so far?" Albus asked.

"Pretty good. How has yours been?" Hermione replied.

"Ah, very good indeed. The school is quiet without the students, but it's quite nice too. The carols of the ghosts are wonderful, almost as beautiful as Fawkes. Oh and before I forget, these are for you both," Albus said, taking out two wrapped boxes with candy canes attached to them and winked.

"Happy Christmas," he smiled, walking away slowly.

Harry and Hermione looked at the boxes confused before opening them.

"Oh wow!" Harry exclaimed taking a sterling silver chain out that had a golden stag and silver stag attached to it.

"Oh my gosh. It's beautiful," Hermione breathed slowly trailing a chain out that had a silver otter on it that was encrusted with tiny diamonds.

"They're fantastic!" Harry grinned, chaining his around his neck as Hermione did the same with hers. Then she took her candy cane and put it in her mouth.

"Mmm, peppermint candy canes. I love these. It feels so long since I've had one. Have you ever had one Harry?" she asked as the red lines of the cane began to wear away.

"Not really. Even when I was in Hogwarts for Christmas, I'm the one eating Chocolate Frogs at Christmastime," he shrugged.

"Well, Harry they're really good. Try one!" she smiled, holding out his candy cane.

Harry blinked before taking it from her and tasting it. A shiver came up his spine as he tasted the cool sensation of the candy cane.

"Not bad," Harry said and continued to suckle on the candy.

"Come on, let's go outside and take that walk. I have more candy canes and you want one," Hermione said, getting up and walking out of the Great Hall, Harry following her.

Professor Dumbledore smiled, nibbling the end of his candy cane and sighed. "Christmas is a wonderful time of the year."

As Harry and Hermione walked out into the snow covered grounds of Hogwarts, Hermione picked up a pile of snow and threw it into the air, twirling around in it happily before falling into the snow, laughing.

"Hermione, have you gone mad?" Harry asked her, puzzled. Hermione looked up at him as she stood up and shook the snow off her.

"I love the snow. I've loved it since I was little girl. My mother used to make these delicious snow ice creams that were covered in flavored sauces. So it was really sweet," Hermione sighed as she threw more snow into the air.

"Oh," was all he said, as he continued to walk. Hermione stared after him before catching up.

"What's wrong Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about things," he answered, smiling at her reassuringly.

"Can I have another candy cane?" Harry asked. She nodded before handing him one from her pocket.

"Harry? Can I give you my Christmas present now?" Harry looked up at this, startled.

"Umm, sure."

Hermione smiled and reached into her pocket, taking out a neatly wrapped present.

Harry opened it carefully and gazed at the gift, "It's not much I know, But I tho-." she got cut off.

"It's perfect," Harry breathed looking at the snow globe that held his interest.

Inside, was a miniature Burrow where he, Hermione, and Ron stayed for Christmas break and they were having a snow fight. Three little miniature figures kept ducking and then throwing snow balls.

"Thank you Hermione. This is perfect," he thanked her with a lop-sided grin that made Hermione's heart leap. She couldn't help but like that. She after all had a crush on him since 5th year.

"I'm glad you like it," she blushed softly.

"Now I need to give you my present....Come on!" Harry said, grabbing her hand and rushing into the school.

"Harry! Hold on! You're running to fast," she breathed heavily as he ran faster.

"Hermione, this is a wonderful gift, it makes me want to give you your present" he sighed ha[[ily as he muttered the password to the Fat Lady and burst into room quickly.

"Harry! This isn't like you," she breathed, holding her hand to her chest.

"Where is it?" Harry asked himself, digging into his bag.

"Harry, you don't have to give it to me now," Hermione laughed.

"Here it is! Happy Christmas, Hermione," he smiled, giving her a velvet box with a bow on top.

She unraveled the ribbon and opened the box, gasping softly. "Oh Harry. It's beautiful. I don't know what to say," Hermione whispered taking out a pure silver charm bracelet, each charm tinkling with a ring.

"If you want to add a charm all you have to say is Lementas and then what you want the charm to be and it appears on the bracelet," he explained.

"I love it. Thank you!" she smiled, hugging him tightly.

Harry sighed softly, wrapping his arms around her warm body. It felt so right. To hold her in his arms. He wanted her to stay in them forever. But that wasn't a choice.

He thought she was about to move, but then she turned her face to the fire and laid her head on his shoulder with her arms wrapped around his arm.

"Thank you Harry. I think I know a charm I want. Legentas lightning bolt," she smiled, tapping her wand against the chain. Then a thin silver lightning bolt appeared.

"Oh...thanks," Harry gazed, tapping the charm.

"I think this was a really nice Christmas, we should have more like this," she sighed closing her eyes.

"Yeah, it was really comforting. I'm pretty happy," Harry grinned. Then they quieted down in silence, watching the fire ablaze.

"Harry? Do you think that best friends can love each other? I mean as more than a friend," Hermione asked quickly. Harry's eyes widened at this.

"Well if they really love each other. They always say, best friends make the best of lovers," Harry answered.

"Really? Even if Ilovedyou," she confessed, closing her eyes and feeling his body tense.

"You love me?" he asked, bringing her face up to his.

"I do," Hermione whispered, her eyes opening.

"Merlin, Hermione. I don't believe it. I feel the same about you," Harry smiled, stroking her cheek.

"Y-You do? I never thought you'd feel the same about me," she said to him as his lips descended upon hers.

"I love you too, Hermione," Harry returned the words and felt her smile against his lips.

"Happy Christmas," they told each other.

And as he kissed her, he noticed the lingering taste of peppermint candy canes at Christmas.

A/N: A little Christmas gift for you at exactly 12 o'clock on Christmas morning. I hope you all liked it! Please review!!!