Unofficial Portkey Archive

Kiss Me At Midnight by PhoenixFirebolt
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Kiss Me At Midnight

PhoenixFirebolt
Kiss Me At Midnight

My name is Hermione Granger and I'm a sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A witch you say? Yes, indeed I am, but I'm not like all witches, I'm a muggle-born. My parents are both non-magical people and somehow I ended up becoming a witch. Not like I'm complaining, I love having this life.

So many great things have happened in my life since I started attending Hogwarts. I met my two best friends, Harry Potter (yes, THE Harry Potter) and Ronald Weasley; I've learned to do many things that some people can only dream of, like cast spells and see wondrous things; I've gone through many different types of dangers and somehow lived to tell each tale; and I've been surrounded by some of the most wonderful people through it all.

Yes, I love my life at Hogwarts. But there are some aspects of it that sometimes become too hard to bear. Ever since I stepped into this school I've been the smartest witch of my year and practically the most brilliant ever. I don't let it affect me but having people respect me more for my brains then my personality can get tiring. I'm expected to know everything because I am Hermione Granger. Not that I consider this a bad thing, I pride myself on being able to know so much information. I pride myself on being knowledgeable in every situation and being the cool, calm, collected one out of my friends.

But there is one area I know nothing about. There is one thing in this world that makes me nervous and causes me to lose all thought and knowledge in my brain. Well, I shouldn't say thing, I should really say person. I know, I know, I finally let a person affect me. But who else then this person could. Darn him for being who he is. Curse you Harry Potter.

Oh, I know I said it. Harry Potter is my wonderful best friend but that's just the problem. He's wonderful, too wonderful. And this is where the issue starts. My best friend who I've known since I was eleven, the savior of the world, the emerald eyed god of our school, just so happens to be my crush. Well, maybe more than that, a lot more than that. I think I love him.

Yes! I finally admitted it. I am in love with Harry Potter. Hermione Granger loves Harry Potter. The plain bookworm loves the Boy-Who-Lived. How many different ways can I say it? I've loved him since fourth year, when he almost died during the Triwizard Tournament. Heck, I think I loved him before that, maybe when I first saw him on the Hogwarts Express when I was eleven, in his oversized clothes and round glasses. Harry Potter captured my heart from the moment our eyes met.

Sounds like such a sweet, romantic story doesn't it? Girl and boy meet, become best friends, girl falls for boy, boy falls for girl, they live happily ever after. Ah, but wait, I got that wrong, the real story goes like this. Girl and boy meet, become best friends, girl falls for boy, boy is completely and utterly oblivious to the entire situation. Ok, that's better.

I do love Harry, truly, but goodness he is dense sometimes. Not that I try to be obvious with my affections for him but sometimes it really annoys me with how much he doesn't pay attention. Ron has even caught on that I like Harry and I thought he was the most oblivious guy I knew. Scratch that. Harry has officially taken the top spot now.

No matter what I do to show my love for Harry, he never seems to notice. Ever since the school year began, I've been making more of an effort than ever before. I've hung around him more, I've dropped some subtle hints, done some slight "accidental" brushes up against him, tried to stare into his eyes more, but nothing so far has worked. Alright, maybe I've been a bit too subtle but what am I supposed to do? Shove him up against a wall and just start snogging him? Hmm….maybe not a bad idea……

Oh, snap out of it Granger, mind out of the gutter, you need to start making your plan. Ah, The Plan. I start giggling to myself (me? Giggle?) when I remember just exactly what I am going to do. Well, I should probably gulp in nervousness too. I'm putting myself out on a line with my little Plan. What exactly is The Plan, you're probably wondering.

You see, tonight is New Year's Eve, the ending of one year and the beginning of a whole new one. I've always had one wish for New Year's as well: to kiss someone at midnight. And not just anyone, the One. And the One meaning none other than Harry Potter.

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight, when the clock strikes midnight and people everywhere are cheering the New Year in, you will find me happily snogging our beloved Savior of the World at that time. That is, as long as he's ok with it and doesn't push me away first. I hope I don't scare him by doing this……

Now don't think I'm not scared to be putting this plan into action. No, this is probably the most terrifying thing I will ever do. To put my heart on the line and finally admit my feelings for Harry? Yes, the most terrifying experience of my entire life. Thoughts of rejection keep swirling through my head but I fiercely try to ignore them, nothing is going to stop me from fulfilling The Plan. Tonight, I will have kissed Harry Potter and finally be able to fully show my love for him.

I am biting my nails in anticipation. Never before have I felt more worried about something, this entire situation means everything to me and I am determined to make it go on successfully.

And yes, Harry Potter, you will kiss me at midnight.

……………………………

As the clock ticks closer and closer to midnight, my anxiety is growing with it. Preparations for the Gryffindor New Year's Eve party have already started and the Common Room is bustling with activity. I'm supposed to be helping, bloody hell, I organized the party. Damn you Ronald Weasley for rubbing your swearing off on me.

I continue to sigh deeply and just watch with amusement as Ginny tries to hang a million little crystal balls from the ceiling. Most are losing heart and falling rapidly to the floor, making Ginny growl in anger. I'm just glad for the distraction from my thoughts.

"Here, Gin, let me help you," I say while I rise to my feet.

Ginny shoots me a grateful smile and within a few minutes, all the crystal balls are swinging merrily and letting off bright colors of lights.

"Thanks so much, Herm. Do you think you could help me with the rest of the decorations?"

I quickly agree, eager to do anything to keep myself preoccupied and not have to look at him. Yes, Harry has been sitting in the corner of the Common Room the entire time, playing several rounds of chess with Ron. Neither of them have really acknowledged me yet today, except for at breakfast and lunch. Of course, Harry just had to smile at me and I lost all conscious thought. Damn, he needs to learn to keep that thing in check.

I haven't noticed I've been staring at Harry the whole time and he looks up and gives me a curious look. I blush bright red and look down before glancing slowly up again. Harry is still watching me, one eyebrow raised and his green eyes twinkling.

"You ok, Hermione?" he calls out across the room.

I laugh shakily and just nod, waving my hand a bit. Harry grins again before returning to the game. I start cursing myself under my breath as Ginny gives me her own weird look.

"Herm, are you sure you're ok? You're acting strangely," she states, tilting her head.

I mumble some response and just continue with hanging the banner over the fireplace. I hear Ginny sigh, obviously giving up on questioning me, which I am thankful for.

The rest of the afternoon passed fairly uneventfully, unless you count that one time I was in such a rush to run to the library to do some extra studying before the party, I knocked right into Harry, causing us both to fall to the floor. May I emphasize the term "awkward" to explain this situation properly. Lots of mumbling and picking up scattered books without looking at each other. Merlin, I need to get control of my emotions if I want tonight to go just right.

I thought I would be able to leave without letting too much affect me just then. As soon as I started out the portrait hole though, I turned around to look at Harry one last time (Why did I do that?!). What does he do of course? Smiles at me!

Damn you Harry Potter and that smile.

……………………..

The party has been in full swing for a couple of hours. I'm sitting on the couch by Ginny, Lavender, and Parvati, sipping on a butterbeer. Music is blasting from a radio somewhere and most of the Common Room has been cleared of it's tables and chairs so dancing can take place. Only a few candles and torches are lit, giving a dim glow all around and creating an "intimate" atmosphere. Absolutely perfect for my Plan but it makes even more scared than I already am.

I suddenly take a large gulp from my bottle and Lavender laughs as I start choking on it.

"Watch it there, Hermy," she giggles, pounding my back.

I glare at her upon hearing my hated nickname and try to laugh along with her. My attention is then caught by a group of boys in the one corner, Harry and Ron among them.

"Merlin, he is beautiful," I whisper to myself.

I almost smack myself for saying that aloud and I'm suddenly appreciating the blaring music. Returning to my present train of thought, I look over to the corner again and my curiosity nags at me, for the boys are acting very suspiciously. I stand up and make my way over to them.

"What's going on over here?" I say, narrowing my eyes.

They all jump and I distinctly see Seamus hide something behind his back. Ron stares guiltily at me and Harry smiles shyly. Put that smile away, Potter, I think angrily.

"Nothing, Herm," Ron says quickly.

I raise my eyebrows in disbelief before nodding my head at Seamus.

"What do you have there then?"

"Oh," Seamus says nervously, "just….just….nothing. Like Ron said."

I roll my eyes and give him a serious look. "Come on, Seamus, show me."

Reluctantly, Seamus pulls a large bottle of Firewhisky from behind his back. I contain my laughter and just shake my head in amusement at them. On any other day I would have cared if that had been brought into the Common Room, but today is New Year's Eve and I'm feeling a bit.......rebellious.

With a twinkle in my eyes, all I say is "Who else are you willing to give that to?"

All the boys give me shocked looks and Ron's mouth falls open. This time, I really start laughing.

"That look is most unbecoming on you, Ron," I quickly say before turning to return to the couch. Half-way across the room I turn around once more and Harry winks at me. I can only smile back, wishing that midnight would come faster.

As if heeding my wish, the clock seems to speed up and before I know it, Ginny is grabbing my arms and yanking me to my feet once more.

"What are you doing?" I pull my arms away from her.

Ginny just laughs. "Come on, Herm, it's almost midnight! Time to celebrate!"

My eyes widen and I watch as Dean rushes over to the radio and turns up the volume even more. The Gryffindors are starting to gather together, holding bottles of butterbeer or shots of Firewhisky. A few couples are linking arms, ready to give each other their first kiss of the New Year.

With an audible gulp, I make my way over and stand by Harry and Ron. Ron is laughing about something, his eyes slightly glazed over, an obvious effect from the Firewhisky he's sloshing around in his glass. Harry is holding a glass too but I notice he seems to be in more control of himself.

Harry grins at me as I stop beside him and he leans down to whisper in my ear.

"Ron's a bit over the edge I think."

He pulls back and I force a laugh, trying to forget how his warm breath feels tickling my ear. Ron is watching us with a comical amusement.

"What's so funny?" He's slurring a bit on his words.

Neither Harry or I have a chance to respond cause at that moment, the countdown starts and the whole Common Room is filled with everyone's voices yelling out the descending numbers.

"10...9...8...7...6...5..."

Harry reaches down and grabs my hand with his, a smile threatens to appear on my face as my heart skips a couple of beats.

"4...3...2...1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!"

The Common Room erupts with cheers and hundreds of balloons and streamers rain down upon us. All around me, friends are hugging, couples are kissing, and several of the boys are shaking hands. Ron, I've noticed, managed to spill the remains of his drink all over his shirt and is currently hugging Ginny.

"Happy New Year, Hermione," Harry says next to me.

I turn to face him, the nervous feeling returning to me. Harry is simply smiling at me before he wraps me up in a hug. I revel in his warmth and press my face into his shoulder, smelling the mixture of pine and grass that is so uniquely Harry. The crowd around us disappears and all I'm feeling is Harry and his wonderful hug.

All too soon though, he backs away from me, releasing his arms from around me. It's now or never. It's time to throw my heart out on a line.

I quickly grab his arm. "Harry, wait."

He lifts his head to look me in the eyes and I step closer to him, trying to slow down my breathing. This is it.

"Happy New Year," I whisper.

Before he can stop me, I'm leaning up, closing my eyes, and pressing my lips to his. Harry is frozen in front of me as I gently kiss him. The feeling is fantastic but disappointment fills me when I realize Harry is not kissing me back. I break the kiss and stare into Harry's wide emerald eyes which are filled with absolute shock and surprise.

I lift a hand to my lips and tears start to fill my eyes. What had I just done? I ruined our friendship. I back away from him quickly and flee the Common Room, nobody noticing my departure.

I race down the corridor, my tears blinding me. It wasn't supposed to happen like that, he was supposed to kiss me back. I can't have everything I guess. I suppress my sob and keep running, not paying attention to the footsteps chasing after me.

"Hermione!" Harry says, trying to stop me. "Hermione, stop!"

His hand reaches out and grabs my arm, effectively stopping me and causing me to crash into his chest. I back away quickly, hiding another rising blush forming on my cheeks. I glance up at him in the slight darkness and I right away see his confusion. I feel bad for running away after kissing him but my embarrassment is too great.

"Sorry, Harry," I mutter, releasing myself from his grip.

Harry backs up a few steps and continues to stare at me, tilting his head. "Why did you run away from me?"

I open my mouth and then quickly close it. I'm formulating the right words in my head, trying to make this sound reasonable. So many thoughts are swirling through my head. How was I suppose to explain the kiss? How was I suppose to explain me running away? How was I suppose to explain anything?

I bite my lip and stare intently at my feet, I just can't say it. For one of the first times in my life, I'm speechless. I feel fingers under my chin and Harry is slowly lifting my head to make me look at him.

"Hermione?"

"I….I…" I start to say. I close my eyes, forcing myself to calm down. "Because you didn't kiss me back," I whisper, reopening my eyes.

Harry is staring at me with that lopsided smile on his face. His thumb is gently stroking my cheek and I lean into his touch instinctively.

"Don't you think, Miss Granger, that maybe I didn't kiss back because I was so surprised to find my best friend kissing me."

He is stating the obvious and I sigh deeply with regret. He's going to reject me, I know it.

"Harry, I'm…"

He places a finger over my lips, still smiling at me. What is he so happy about?

"You didn't let me finish," he says with amusement in his voice. "I said I was surprised to find my best friend kissing me but I never got around to saying that it's the best friend I've fallen in love with."

My eyes fall to the floor, downcast. "Alright, Harry, I under….." I stop midsentence, his words finally sinking into my brain. My eyes fly up to meet his and my mouth falls open, much like Ron's did earlier.

"You….what?"

Harry chuckles softly and leans down so our faces are only inches apart, causing my breath to catch.

"You, Miss Granger, are very slow indeed."

I want to scoff but Harry's lips are suddenly on mine and I'm lost in the moment. I sigh contently into his mouth and wrap my arms around his neck as his go around my waist. This was the kiss that I had expected before, this was the kiss that I had so wished for.

Harry pulls away from me and leans his forehead against mine. We stare into each other's eyes and I suddenly feel complete. I start giggling (not again!) as a sudden thought comes to me.

"What?" Harry asks, looking very lost as to why I'm laughing after he just kissed me.

I calm down my laughter and just smirk at him. "Are you sure that's not just the effects of Firewhisky?"

Harry gaps at me and tries to look offended. I laugh harder at his expression and put my hand over his mouth, not wanting to have him respond to that. A serious look crosses my face and I quickly kiss his lips again.

"Thank you for giving me my first kiss at midnight, Harry."

And after that, all my other wishes came true. Happy New Year's indeed.

....................

Author's Note: I meant to have this one-shot posted on New Year's Eve but I never got around to it. I really hope you liked it, just a quick little romance fic with a little bit of humor added to it. I made the story all present tense but I'm sorry if I made a couple of slip-ups with that, my grammar isn't the greatest always! The last chapter to Take My Breath Away will be posted very soon and the next chapter of The Heirs of Hogwarts will be coming too. Sorry about the delays on both of those fics! I hope you enjoyed this fic and please review! I appreciate all comments! Have a Happy New Year everyone! :)
Much Love,
PhoenixFirebolt